Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
❤️ kudos
Stats:
Published:
2019-06-17
Completed:
2021-04-26
Words:
407,843
Chapters:
152/152
Comments:
437
Kudos:
695
Bookmarks:
159
Hits:
31,985

Forever Shouto

Summary:

Emergency rooms and hospitals in a world full of quirks are a nightmare. Ani, an ER nurse, can get through it because she can regenerate and heal from any injury which means she can help people when no one else can. She didn't want to be a hero, didn't want the spotlight. So she stayed in the background helping those she could until the spotlight came to her.

 

Please forgive grammatical/spelling errors. I'm new at this!

Notes:

All characters from BNHA do not belong to me!! They are property of Kohei Horikoshi

Chapter 1: Incoming

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ani stretched her neck side-to-side and twisted her back, giving it a crack. Her eyes scanned the ER. All was quiet this early morning and she was completely fine with it. The sun would rise in an hour and her shift would finish in two. Tomorrow was her day off—the first in a week. With constant ER patients and surgeons needing her help everyday there wasn’t time for a day off any sooner. She barely made it home two nights this week between shifts. Every other night she chose to sleep in the staff room. Her quirk required massive amounts of sleep so when the hospital was this busy it was best for her to sleep whenever—and wherever—she could. She looked down at her hand. The finger that had been ripped off was fully regrown but the skin was still flushed, leaving it a little more pink than the others.

Regeneration.

What a curse and a blessing. It allowed her to help with patients who would otherwise be untouchable but it meant she was the only one who could help at those times. It put a huge amount of pressure on her and not to mention: pain. Her body could completely heal from any injury but she endured the full pain of every injury, every time.

Sunlight began streaking across the Dagoben skyline as she finished her rounds. She sat down to finish her nightly reports to hand patients off to the day shift when the alarm started.

Her eyes flashed to the monitor and speaker announcing the incoming ambulance. The report was limited and unhelpful. It’s jarry phrasing told Ani the patient was in bad condition. Fire and Ice Damage. Quirk Unstable. Containment Required. Ani’s eyes flew to the containment rooms. Thankfully they were still empty and she had already restocked them earlier.

She heard the ambulance sirens rapidly approaching and two nurses materialized at her side to help receive the patient. Glace and Doto looked at each other with worry as they saw the ambulance tear down the street...with flames pouring out the back.

Ani swallowed thickly, steeling herself for the incoming inferno. She already knew Glace and Doto’s quirks couldn’t help. The ambulance flew around the parking lot, jerked into reverse, and almost hit the ER doors just before slamming on the breaks.

Two paramedics, from somewhere in the blaze, were shouting.

“Get him inside!”

“Into containment before it sets off the sprinklers!”

More instructions spewed out as they quickly pulled the stretcher out, dodging and ducking around the swirling, angry flames. Glace and Doto ran off to bring the tools the EMTs shouted for to containment.

Ani met them at the door.

Before she could even grab the bar of the stretcher her arms were washed in a surge of searing heat. She felt the hair on her arms instantly catch as she maneuvered the stretcher onto the ER bed.

She ran, pulling the bed and it’s flaming occupant to the nearest containment room followed by the only other fire-resistant EMT. Her hands and his began flying over the patient’s body, peeling the melting uniform from his torso.

“We haven’t been able to get a pulse!” The EMT shouted.

Ani reached for the right-half of his body, somehow unburning under the torrent of flames.

“As soon as we do that, he—”

Ani stifled a scream as ice froze in thick spikes, coating his whole right arm, and caught her fingers in it. Somehow her fingers still had feeling and she counted out his pulse from where she touched his vein. She called out the numbers to the EMT.

“What happened to him?!” Ani called out over the flames that began igniting again. Sprinklers turned on, spraying a stinging fountain of water over everything in the room. As it momentarily doused the flames she saw a mess of lacerations across his chest.

“He was fighting someone who was holding a train station full of people hostage-” the EMT was prepping a dry tray of surgical tools. “He and his team of heroes got everyone out just before the villian detonated a bomb. This guy shielded the bystanders from shrapnel with a wall of ice but it left himself exposed. He was hit as a result.”

“Someone has to remove the shrapnel,” Ani said to herself, thinking out loud. She could see metal bits sticking out of the lacerations. The EMT nodded.

“His body is—”

“Out of control because of the pain.” Ani knew extreme pain like that well enough. Again the EMT nodded.

“We need to get it out before he pushes his body to it’s limit any further.”

Ani’s mind flashed through the current status and locations of all the surgeons who could withstand the continuous onslaught of flames and frostbite. The patient’s ride side, despite the flames melting the exterior ice, was showing signs of frostbite. The tips of his fingers were turning black.

“I think his body is trying to force the shrapnel out while he’s unconscious,” the EMT said.

Ani grimaced, already sensing what needed to be done.

Suddenly, there was a pounding on the containment door. Ani and the EMT looked to the glass and saw the only surgeon on duty, the ER doctor, and the supervising nurse at the doors. She saw it in their faces, too.

None of them could get close enough and the only surgeons who could wouldn’t make it on time.

“We don’t have time,” the supervising nurse said. “Go ahead.”

“You can do this,” the surgeon—who just happened to be her brother—said.

“Ani,” the EMT called her attention as he wheeled the tray of surgical tools to her side. “It has to be you.”

She looked at him, knowing he could endure the flames since he was a fire-quirk himself but the ice would destroy him. Her eyes swept over the wounds and she turned to the sink without a moment of hesitation. As she washed her hands the EMT fitted a silicone cap over her hair.

She turned back to the tools and began.

Notes:

Hi :) Thanks for checking out my work; I'm so glad to share this with you!

If you keep reading and want to comment, please do. I enjoy reading them so much and like to respond to each one personally. I recognize not every user feels comfortable leaving a comment, especially if they don't want a direct response...so if you want to comment but you don't want me to respond, add "XR" at the beginning.

Chapter 2: Did he...?

Chapter Text

Every laceration was a battle in the war against the patient’s defensive quirk. Flames tried to keep her back, sending burns of searing flesh up her arms. The lower-half of her sleeves had burned away long ago. Her eyelashes and eyebrows were singed each time she didn’t dodge quickly enough. Her lungs screamed at the super-dried air from his flames and then her airways nearly clogged with the deluge of water streaming from the sprinklers.

His right side was no easier. Constant fractals of ice hardened his skin to keep the shrapnel from moving any deeper but it meant she had to chisel through to each wound. Spikes of ice would thrust up and out at random, catching her fingers and arms. When his flames would flare and sprinklers would douse her with water, she was at risk to have her skin ripped off if she made any contact with his icy skin. She only had to learn that lesson once. His skin was so cold she didn’t know how his blood was still pumping.

By the final laceration her hands were shaking. She was emaciated from the accelerated regeneration in response to the onslaught. She forced her eyes to focus into the last wound and steadied her hands as she slowly pulled out the last twisted metal as cautiously as she could without causing anymore trauma. The moment the metal was clear from his skin the flames disappeared. The ice slowly receded though some crystals remained in small patches.

The glass door opened as she dropped the last piece of shrapnel on the pile. The by-standing doctors and nurses that had gathered, including the original ER doctor, the surgeon, and her supervising nurse rushed in and Ani stepped aside so they could tend to the patient’s remaining injuries. The EMT caught her as she collapsed and her supervising nurse helped ferry her out of the room.

Severe burns coated her arms, face, and neck. Her fingers and arms had lacerations of their own from the dagger-like spike of ice. They set her down in the closest chair and immediately administered an IV of a thick replenishing solution. Her eyelids felt so heavy.

“I’m...I’m just going to sit here for a moment,” she said softly.

“Come on,” her supervisor said. “Let’s get you to a bed.”

“No!” She protested, her eyes popping open for a moment. She could hear how busy the ER was. “I'm fine here."

She looked around and saw the chair was tucked away in a corner of the ER, out of the main bays.

“Really. Go help everyone else. And save the beds for the patients,” she insisted. She leaned her head back and closed her eyes. “I want to stay here.”

The EMT and nurse looked at each other as Ani fell into a deep sleep.

 

A gentle tap on her elbow stirred Ani from sleep. Her brother was checking her IV and connecting another solution. He tsk’ed her.

“You’re so stubborn, not letting them give you a bed.”

She smiled weakly, shifting under her crisp, ashy scrubs.

“I’m fine,” she assured him. She glanced at the containment door. “How’s he doing?”

“Remarkably well...thanks to you. We’ve been able to clean and stitch up his wounds. He’s resting upstairs now.”

She smiled with relief and closed her eyes again. “Thanks Aino.”

He tucked a blanket around her and she began drifting off to sleep. He chuckled quietly to himself as he walked away.

“Only you could save a top hero’s life and not even notice.”

Ani was already deep asleep when he reached the corner of the hall.

 

Ani awoke from the sounds of a conversation nearby.

“You’re all set Mr. Ground Zero,” a familiar voice said. “Have a good rest of your evening.”

Someone grunted and Ani’s eyes cracked open. She saw the day-time supervising nurse walking out of the room across the hall, leaving a patient by himself. He put his coat on, lifting his hood over spikey, ashen hair. As he grabbed his paperwork he looked up and his eyes met Ani’s.

“Tch,” he scorned. “Lazy leech...sleeping on the job.”

Ani was instantly dredged out of her sleepiness, insulted and stirred by his ignorance. She stared back at his bright ruby eyes and stood up. Someone had removed the IV while she was sleeping but the blanket, still on her lap, slipped off to reveal her charred scrubs.

She caught the blanket before it hit the ground and bundled it up. She strode away without looking at his reaction. Glancing at the clock behind the closest nurse’s station she could see half of her day-off was already gone—she was getting up just as the sun was setting.

With a heavy sigh she folded the blanket up and put it in the laundry.

“Ani, you’re up. Are you feeling okay?” The current supervising nurse asked her.

Ani nodded and grabbed a bottle of water as the ashen-haired hero who called her lazy stalked past and down the hall. She ignored him, avoiding his glower.

“I’m fine. A little disappointed I slept so late.”

“Well, given what you went through, it’s not surprising.”

“It’s all worth it when they survive,” she said with a relaxed smile. She looked at the tender patches of new, papery skin on her arms. She didn’t want to know how pink her face looked. She caught how the supervising nurse looked away.

“He...survived...didn’t he?” Ani asked with growing concern. “Aino told me he was recovering upstairs.”

The nurse grimaced. “Aino probably wanted you to stay calm so you could sleep and finish regenerating.”

“So...so he...” Ani trailed off as her stomach flipped.

“He’s still alive but...he’s in the ICU. Hey, Ani!”

Ani was already striding down the hall to the elevator.

“Ani. Ani! It’s your day off,” the nurse protested as Ani stepped through the doors. “Go home!”

She wasn’t quick enough to get there before the doors closed.

“You’re so stubborn!” She heard the nurse shout as ambulance sirens filled the ER.

The elevator rose quickly, pulling Ani away from the noise and open a few moments later to the quiet floor that held the ICU. Ani stepped off and wove through the waiting room, down the corridor to the ICU nurse’s station.

“Can I help you?” asked the only nurse there at the moment.

Ani showed her ID. “A patient came into the ER this morning and I was told he’s recovering up here.”

“And? Who are you?”

“I’m the nurse who removed the shrapnel,” she took a nervous breath.

The nurse eyed her closely. “And? You wanted to check on him?”

Ani nodded, taking a nervous breath. “If I’m allowed.”

“And your brother’s Dr. Shida, right? The surgeron on staff last night, right?” She aked. Ani nodded as the nurse stood up. “He mentioned you would probably stop by.”

“I...I was hoping to see if he was okay,” Ani said, fidgeting with what was left of her sleeves.

The nurse nodded and gave her a clipboard to sign-in. Ani listed herself and followed the nurse’s directions, around the corner and down the hall to the last room where the patient was. Ani slipped quietly through the calm and dim halls. Monitors of all kind beeped out readings and there were only two other nurses tending to comatose patients in various rooms.

Ani approached the final door and gulped, scared for the patient on the other side. She took a slow, calming breath, and let herself in.

Every surface of the room was covered in flowers and balloons, posters, cards, and stuffed animals. All notes from people wishing the patient best health and a quick recovery. Ani gripped the door handle and shut the door as quietly as she could. That’s when she finally saw his face. And froze.

Shouto.

The half-fire, half-ice, pro hero. Top TWO hero to be exact. Outdone only by Deku. Todoroki Shouto. Sweat coated Ani’s back as she realized who this person was and how important they were. His face was covered with an oxygen mask and monitors of every kind were connected to him in every way. IVs dripped medicines into both arms.

Ani fumbled for the door handle and dashed out. She closed the door and latched it before quickly leaving the hallway. She came out of the CIU and caught the eye of the nurse.

“Are you alright, dear? You’re pale as a ghost.”

Ani forced herself to swallow and find the words. “That’s....that’s...” she weakly pointed down the hall.

“Shouto,” the nurse confirmed. “You didn’t know?”

Ani shook her head.

“I guess you were a little preoccupied with his condition.” The nurse looked up and down her uniform again.

Ani’s thoughts were swirling with self-criticism, self-doubt, and fear that she was the reason he was there. She went down to her locker in a daze. She changed, was at the train station, then standing on her doormat looking at her door as if Shouto, TODOROKI SOUTO, would be on the other side.

She let herself in feeling like she was about to collapse from so many recent physical and emotional strains. She chugged a protein drink and showered, feeling the draw of her bed like a magnet and succumbed to its pull. She fell asleep riddled with feelings she couldn’t understand.

~

Ani awoke, finally feeling her regeneration complete. Ugh, she had slept well into the day and in several hours she would be due back at work. She stretched and got up, ignoring the complicated emotions she still couldn’t identify. Her apartment needed a serious cleaning.

Done.

Lunch for work?

Done.

Before she knew it she had to get dressed for work to go back to the hospital. It was why she had no pets and limited entertainment in her apartment: she was rarely here to do more than sleep.

It wasn’t until she was on the train that she realized she was an hour early for work. Her mind found its way to Shouto—no—Todoroki’s face in the ICU. It wouldn’t hurt to see him, check on his condition before she started her shift.

Once changed into her scrubs she went up to find the same nurse from the previous day, finishing up today’s shift. Luckily, she recognized Ani.

“How’s he doing?” Ani asked timidly, not knowing if the nurse would reveal anything. Her face gave it away. “Did...did he...” Ani choked on the words.

“No but his condition is severely deteriorating,” her eyes were glistening with sadness. “His vitals are all low and his wounds won’t stop bleeding.”

Ani’s heart sank. “Can I see him?”

The nurse nodded somberly. Ani signed in again and wove down the quiet hall to his room. If possible, there were more “get well” messages and decorations. She snuck through the room, not wanting to rouse the sleeping hero.

Flipping through his chart confirmed what the nurse said. He was in bad shape. Ani peaked under his gown at the gauze-covered wounds. All the gauze was soaked with rich, red blood. Ani sucked in a tight breath and knew she only had a few moments before a nurse would be in to change the bandages.

Chapter 3: How?

Chapter Text

Todoroki yawned deeply, feeling like he had been asleep for a month. When he opened his eyes he saw a room full of overwhelming well-wishes. Clearly many people knew he was here and what happened to him. He sat up, or tried to sit up, but bandages and tape pulled at his skin, protesting the movement. A monitor loudly announced his conscious state and a nurse rushed in.

“Mr. Todoroki, you’re awake!” She rushed over and began fiddling with machines and IVs. She paged the on-call doctor and asked “how are you feeling?”

“Fine, thank you.” His voice was dry.

“Just relax.” She smiled too warmly, gently pressing her hands to his shoulders with unnecessary contact. “Please rest, the doctor will be here soon.”

It seemed like she was trying to find a reason to stay in the room as long as possible. He cleared his throat and she looked up from his chart.

“Can I have some water, please?” He asked.

“Of course!” She grinned and batted her overly-made-up eyes at him. She bolted from his room with a quick flick of her hips. He closed his eyes in relief. He hoped the doctor would come soon. He really felt fine, better than he had in a long time. He wanted to get out of the hospital before worse behavior began. It wouldn’t be long before the nurses began groping and sexually harassing him. It was a curse of being a pro hero.

The nurse returned with wet scrubs that clung to her curves suggestively. She gave him the water.

“Someone tripped and spilled their water all over me.” She laughed, trying to be playful.

“Unbelievable,” he muttered. She was waiting, watching him with an unblinking smile, for him to take a drink.

“Mmmm, thank you,” he said taking a dramatic slurp.

“Oh, it’s no problem at all.” She shrugged and patted his arm. He stifled a grimace, putting on his practiced polite expression.

“Well, I guess I better go get changed,” she said. She peeled the scrubs away from her chest, flapping them as if he was going to invite her to change there. “Let me know if there’s anything I can do for you.”

She said with lingering touch on his hand. She bit her lip and walked away. Todoroki held in his sigh until she was gone.

A moment later a doctor and a surgeon burst in, out of breath.

“Mr. Todoroki! I’m Dr. Takiyata,” the doctor introduced himself. “And this is Dr. Shida, the surgeon who supervised your admittance and treatment in the ER. How are you feeling?”

Heavy concern was written on their faces and he could tell they were anxious to check his bandages.

“Nice to meet both you. I’m feeling much better. Thank you both, you’ve done amazing work.”

The two doctors exchanged a confused and suspicious glance.

“May I check your wounds?” Dr. Takiyata asked, gesturing to Todoroki’s chest.

“Of course,” he said, folding down the blanket.

Dr. Takiyata, more gently than was necessary, pulled the gown off of his shoulders and exposed a massive web of bandages—all white and clean.

“That’s a good sign,” Dr. Takiyata said with obviousness to a shocked Dr. Shida. The doctor gingerly peeled a small bandage up and smiled widely. He lifted it off revealing completely healed skin.

“This is great,” he grinned at Dr. Shida then at Todoroki. “Let’s check the others!”

Dr. Shida’s brow was furrowed pensively as he helped Dr. Takiyata remove all the bandages.

They went from the smallest to the largest, only the last revealing a thing, fading pink remainder of a wound.

“Incredible work, Dr. Shida!” the doctor exclaimed. “You’ve left our prized Mr. Todoroki unscathed!”

“Huh?” Dr. Shida shook himself from a daze. “Oh, uh, yes. Thank you. I’m glad to see you’re doing well Mr. Todoroki.”

“Thank you, doctor,” Todoroki said to the distracted surgeon.

“Yes, yes...” he said not really paying attention. “I should, um...I should check on other patients now.” He left before either man could say another word.

“Sorry about him,” Dr. Takiyata said to Todoroki. “His bedside manner is best when the patient is unconscious.”

Todoroki gave a timid, polite smile for the doctor’s attempt to lighten the mood, but the surgeon’s expression stayed with him.

 

Discharge was expedited for the number two hero, naturally. So it was only a half-hour later when Todoroki was dressed in the elite, not-so-standard hospital sweats and walking to the elevator, paperwork in hand. He paused at the nurse’s station, relieved when wet-scrubs wasn’t there.

“Excuse me,” he asked the nurse, ignoring her flushed gaze. “Where is Dr. Shida’s office?”

She licked her lips involuntarily before directing him. He took the elevator down and followed a maze of halls to the general surgery office. More nurses. More subconscious flirting from them and he was finally being escorted to Dr. Shida’s office.

Dr. Shida met him at the door and shooed the unnecessary escort away.

“Mr. Todoroki,” he closed the door, “have a seat, please.”

He gestured to the two chairs in front of his desk as he sat in the one behind it.

“What can I do for you?” Dr. Shida asked with a forced smile.

“I wanted to thank you again in person for everything you’ve done for me.”

“Well, you’re most welcome.” The surgeon’s smile tightened.

Todoroki measured his expression. “Dr. Shida...have I done something to offend you?”

“Of course not!” The surgeon was overcompensating with reassurance.

Todoroki waited in silence for the truth.

“I assure you...you haven’t,” Dr. Shida said after a minute.

“Something isn’t right here.” Todoroki didn’t like to waste time. “What aren’t you saying?”

Slowly the doctor’s smile faded, replaced by a tired expression. He sighed and rubbed his forehead.

“The truth his...you should be thanking my sister.”

“Your sister?”

Dr. Shida nodded. “She’s the ER nurse who removed the shrapnel while your...quirks...prevented the rest of us from touching you.”

Todoroki’s brow furrowed. “What do you mean?”

“Of course the doctor didn’t tell you. Dare a nurse ever out-perform us,” he mumbled then cleared his throat. “My sister is a nurse in the ER. When you came into the ER three days ago you were alternatively freezing and covered in an inferno. Your body was in a high-alert, defensive mode while you were unconscious from the trauma. My sister was the only one able to get close enough through both of those conditions and remove all the shrapnel. Once it was gone, your body—and quirk—finally relaxed.”

“How?” Todoroki demanded.

Again, the surgeon became guarded. “Why do you want to know?”

“For my own edification.” Todoroki sensed the familial bond and protection. “I assure you this will stay between you and I.”

Dr. Shida considered this and measured Todoroki before taking a deep breath. “Regeneration.”

“Regeneration?” Todoroki asked.

“Yes, that’s her quirk. She can regenerate from any injury so she’s the only one who could help you and walk away alive.” Dr. Shida glanced at his chest.

“So...she removed the shrapnel...and I plan to thank her for that. But I still owe you my thanks for the wound treatment and care. After three days I have nothing, not even scars. That’s a remarkable recovery.”

Dr. Shida leaned back and started at the ceiling for a long time before looking back at Todoroki.

“Mr. Todoroki, I will be completely honest but only with the utmost discretion. Can you keep a secret? Probably forever?”

Todoroki’s thoughts went to a dark night in an alleyway...the night he and his friends faced a villan...the villan Stain...“Absolutely.”

Dr Shida sighed and rested his arms on his desk, folding his hands in front of him. “Good, because this could cost myself and my sister our jobs...not to mention my sister’s safety and whole life if it ever gets out.”

Todoroki waited in patient silence.

“My sister...without anyone’s knowledge or permission...went into your room last night and gave you her blood.” He took a steadying breath. “She admitted to me it’s something she’s done on rare occasions for patients who seem hopeless. The regenerative quirk she has in her blood boosts the body’s ability to heal and bounce back from severe injury. Apparently, the regenerative abilities are temporary, her blood filtered out by the recipient’s liver in 24 hours.” Dr. Shida exhaled heavily as if he was held down by a weight.

And Todoroki understood.

This nurse would be a captive to her quirk and chased by the rich, villainous, and desperate alike if anyone found out what she could do. He felt his heart steeling this secret away with respect for this nurse to whom he owed his life.

One word locked it away forever: hopeless. Dr. Shida said he had been hopeless before and after surgery. Without this nurse’s help he would be dead. He owed his life to her and because of it he would keep this secret forever.

“Dr. Shida, I need to thank your sister properly, in person. Can you please direct me to the ER?” Todoroki stood up.

“I can but she’s not here right now. She works the night shift and isn’t here right now. I’ll warn you...she doesn’t like to be fawned over for what she considers to be her duty to others.”

Todoroki smiled. “She and I have that in common.” He thought for a moment. “I can’t let what she’s done for me go unappreciated. Would...would it be inappropriate of me to thank her in person at her home? If you were to accompany me?”

Dr. Shida looked as if he was having an internal debate. “I was going to stop by on my way home and check on her...I guess you could come with me.”

“Thank you,” Todoroki said with a grateful bow of his head.

“Don’t thank be just yet...I’m not sure what state we’ll find her in.”

Chapter 4: Thank You

Chapter Text

“How did you know she helped me the second time?” Todoroki asked as they stepped onto the train.

“It was your last wound. It looked the same as her wounds do.”

“During the regeneration?”

Dr. Shida nodded. “Since her quirk is to regenerate, she still endures all the pain and damage of every injury and then heals rapidly from it, a lot of times healing from things others could not. But...it takes a lot out of her. She has to eat and sleep constantly if it was a serious injury.”

Todoroki considered this as the train sped off. His stomach twisted with the realization. “So...when she was removing the shrapnel from my chest...” He could tell the surgeon didn’t want to talk about this.

“Yes. She was in rough shape afterwards but she’s totally fine now!” He quickly reassured the pro hero. “You don’t have to worry about her.”

Todoroki considered the weight of the surgeon’s words. He was a hero and volunteered himself in the path of danger every day to protect strangers and there was always the threat of injury and pain. But it wasn’t like this, stepping into the certainty of pain as a sacrifice for another. He could think of only one other person who ever demonstrated such an extreme personal philosophy.

“Are you worrying?” the surgeon quietly asked.

“I was thinking of an old friend,” Todoroki answered as quietly as he thought of the jade-haired hero. They rode the rest of the way with limited small talk. People at every stop recognized the famous Shouto and asked to take pictures with him. Dutifully he gave his polite smile, the corners of his mouth tipped up in the smallest fraction, apologizing to the remaining fans when Dr. Shida motioned it was their stop.

Dr. Shida huffed in exhaustion. “Is it like that everywhere you go?” He asked in exasperation.

“Yes.”

Dr. Shida nodded, accepting the tired answer. He led them to his sister’s apartment building as the sun was setting. He already spoke with the ER, confirming she had the night off, but he hadn’t called her. He knew should would have left to avoid the attention and Todoroki deserved the opportunity to thank her. They climbed the steps and made their way to her bamboo doormat. Dr. Shida knocked.
There was no answer.
He rang her doorbell and waited a long moment before ringing it two more times.

“Maybe she isn’t—” Todoroki started to say when a light turned on inside, illuminating her peephole. Dr. Shida leaned in, filling the peephole image with his face and knocked loudly.

“Come on, little sister. I know you’re there.”

There was a fumbling to undo the locks on the door and then it was ripped wide open. A messy, blonde haired, blue-eyed girl with huge bags under her eyes appeared, ready to deliver a tired expletive. She caught the words as soon as she saw Todoroki.

“What—” she started to say but she sagged against the door frame, overcome with fatigue.

“Geeze, Ani!” Dr. Shida nearly shouted. He was staring at the puncture wounds dotting her hands and arms, almost healed. She started to slip and he lunged the same time as Todoroki. They each caught her and wrapped an arm of hers around their shoulders, lifting her back inside.

“Came without calling...” the young woman mumbled to herself. “Top hero...in my ratty pajamas.”

Dr. Shida was focusing on closing the door and didn’t hear her. Todoroki only caught those few words and glanced involuntarily at her large t-shirt and shorts. He stifled a smirk at the cheerful, smiling sushi decorating her short shorts and quickly looked away. He let the surgeon lead the three of them through the minimalist apartment to the girl’s bedroom. She was asleep before they were at her bed.

They laid her limp form down and slid her legs under the covers. Todoroki’s hands glided over the smooth skin of her legs and he swallowed guiltily. Feeling awkward, he stepped back and let Dr. Shida cover her with the blankets. The surgeon stepped back, too, hands on his hips as the young woman’s sleeping form rumbled out a snore.

“Sorry about this,” Dr. Shida said as he rubbed his neck. “The ER nurses didn’t tell me she was home tonight to recover.”

“That’s alright,” Todoroki assured him. He looked at her arms where they peeked out from under the covers. It looked like the scabs were nearly ready to fall off.

“That’s what it looks like?” Todoroki asked with quiet guilt.

Dr. Shida nodded, examining his sister’s injuries. “Yeah, probably someone with a spike quirk this time.”

Todoroki was overcome with feelings of gratitude and the urgent need to give back to this girl. “We should go and let her sleep,” he said.

Dr. Shida tucked her arm back in bed and followed Todoroki out of the room. He stopped in the small kitchen and looked in her fridge. He tsk’ed out loud.

“What?” Todoroki asked before he could stop himself.

“She has nothing in here except spoiled milk and convenience store sandwiches.” The doctor sighed. “She thinks she can survive on protein shakes and calorie bars alone.”

He closed the door and an idea came to Todoroki. “Can we get some fresh food for her? Restock her fridge?”

Dr. Shida looked at him in surprise. “Restock her fridge?”

Todoroki nodded slowly. “To thank her...It’s the least I can do.”

“Hmm.” Dr. Shida tapped his chin. “That would be a nice surprise for her. Sure. Let’s do it.”

Todoroki’s heart blossomed unexpectedly. He had found a small way to repay her. Dr. Shida wrote a note and grabbed his sister’s keys.

“Come on, there’s a market not too far from here.”

 

They returned less than an hour later, arms laden with bags full of food, vitamins, and other supplies. Todoroki relied on Dr. Shida’s knowledge or best guess on where to put things. The fridge was full, freezer stuffed, and kitchen replenished but Dr. Shida pensively looked around.

“What’s wrong, Dr. Shida?” Todoroki asked.

“I told you, call me Aino,” he said with a tired smile. “And I was just thinking...We have all this great food for her but...my sister is a terrible cook.”

Todoroki let himself smile. “I can help with that.”

~

Something smelled good. No, not good. Downright delicious. Damn...her neighbors must be cooking out on their balcony again.
Ani sat up and stretched. She could hear their quiet conversation, too.
She noticed a light shining under her bedroom door and realized the voices—and smells—were coming from her apartment. Cautiously, she climbed out of bed and went to investigate. She opened the door to find her brother and—
Fuck.
Todoroki Shouto.
In her apartment. They were standing in her kitchen cooking. She was frozen, eyes flitting back and forth between them.

“Hey sis—” Aino raised his hand to wave and she slammed her door closed. Her heart, which a moment ago had stopped, was now beating erratically and out of control. She heard someone approach and knock. “Sis, are you—”

Ani cracked the door enough to yank him inside. “Why the HELL is Todoroki Shouto in my apartment?!” She demanded.

“He wanted to thank you in person for everything you did and I know how you hate public displays of appreciation at work so I brought him with me when I came to check on you so he could say thank you to you for saving his life,” Aino quickly explained.

“Buy why is he cooking?!” Ani’s voice squeaked up an octave.

“We saw you had no food and he wanted to do this for you.”

She groaned and rubbed her eyes as she sank to the ground.

“What’s wrong?” He asked, confused.

Her mind bounced from all her uncleaned clothes to her embarrassingly sparse apartment. She felt bare. Exposed. But here they were and she needed to face him. “Nothing. I’ll be out in a minute.” She made the plan in her mind to accept his generosity and thanks and send them both on their way but her body betrayed her.
Her stomach growled. Loudly.
Aino grinned and escaped before she could stop him.

“She’ll be right out,” he loudly announced. “And she’s ready to eat!”

She covered her face and chided her brother in her mind. One very quick shower, hair bun, and teeth brushing later she was ready. Timidly she emerged wearing a worn pair of jeans and hoodie; the only clean clothes left she felt comfortable in.

“There she is,” Aino announced obnoxiously, drawing the pro-hero's attention to her. He was plating a filet of fish when he saw her but it was Aino who did the introductions.

“Todoroki--I mean Shouto, this is my sister and your nurse: Ani.” He gestured between them. “Ani, this is Shouto.”

She wanted to squirm or dash back to her room but instead, lifted her eyes to meet the heterochromatic hero’s. He set down what he was holding and came around the counter. She gasped audibly as he bowed.

“Thank you for saving my life...twice.” His voice was fervent with gratitude.

“Oh...it...it was nothing.”

“Ani,” her brother protested. She quickly glowered at him before responding again.

“Okay, fine. You’re, you’re welcome.” She urged him up. When he stood up his eyes sparkled at her. She looked away before she could blush, surely this was his practiced pro-hero charm.

“What are we eating?” she asked them.

“We?” Todoroki and Aino asked at the same time.

She looked between them. “You don’t want to stay?”

“Well...it’s just...we cooked this all for you,” Aino explained.

She surveyed the amount of food they cooked. “There’s more than enough. Plus, you both put all the effort in. You deserve to enjoy it, too.”

Todoroki threw a quick glance to Aino who shrugged in approval.

“I guess...if you don’t mind,” Aino began to say when his phone went off. “Oh shoot...I’ll have to take a raincheck. They need me at the hospital.”

He dashed to his coat and put a hand up to Todoroki. “You stay,” he insisted. “Make sure she shares.” And he was gone before either could respond.

Ani was wondering what the hell happened. Todoroki looked around awkwardly. “I...I should go,” he said quietly. He looked around, patting his pockets to make sure he had everything. Ani looked guiltily at the decadent food. He stepped toward the door.

“Stay,” she said before she thought. Todoroki looked over his shoulder.

“Please,” she added. “A meal like this needs to be shared.”

Todoroki weighed her comment. “Are you sure?”

“Yes,” she said with a smile to try and lighten the mood. “You made this food to say ‘thank you’...right? You can’t leave if you don’t if it’s good or not. Otherwise you would owe me another dinner.”

Todoroki’s features relaxed. “You’re right.”

Ani stepped around him and began gathering utensils and cups to set the kotatsu.

“Sorry I don’t have—” she stopped short at the sight of a full fridge. “Any idea what I have...”

Last time she looked in the fridge she thought there was only water to drink. Now, there were shelves full of food and beverages including fresh milk, orange juice, cranberry juice, and a bottle of wine in the very back. She was suddenly embarrassed, knowing he saw how poorly stocked she kept it.

Todoroki was already walking the food to the kotatsu so she grabbed a picture of something she guessed was iced tea and joined him in the small pool of warm light from the lamp in her living room. The food looked as good as it smelled. She slid her legs under the table and Todoroki sat down next to her. He mumbled an apology when his leg brushed hers. He scooted away and blushed but Ani’s attention was on the delicate homemade food plated neatly in front of her.

“Please.” He gestured for her to start.

She lifted a piece with her chopsticks and her mouth watered in anticipation.
It was amazing.
The fish melted like butter in her mouth, cooked to perfection. The sauce was a balance of sweet and savory, topped with toasted sesame seeds for a textural crunch.

“Oh my god,” she practically moaned. Without any embarrassment or hesitation, she dug in. Todoroki’s chest burst with a sparkling emotion as she ate without restraint.

“This is so good,” she said with her eyes closed, savoring her last bite of fish. He was nearly done with his own and he admitted to himself it had come out exceptionally well. It gave him great satisfaction to be able to provide a delicious meal for her. She moved onto the sides and gave them equal praise. Aside from the sounds of their eating and enjoyment there was only a comfortable silence.

Todoroki sighed contentedly. “It’s been a long time since I’ve shared a meal like this,” he admitted. Ani raised her eyebrows at him.

“What?” He asked.

She shrugged. “I just assumed you and a girlfriend would do this all the time, especially since you cook so well.” She chewed a huge bite of perfectly steamed rice.

“I don’t have a girlfriend,” he volunteered. “And I won’t cook like this for myself.”

Ani was thankful her mouth was full of food because if it was empty, her jaw would have dropped. She tried to keep the incredulity out of her response. “Really?” He nodded. She couldn’t tell if he was embarrassed.

“Wow,” she said to her rice bowl. “That’s surprising...sorry for assuming.” She had made the atmosphere so awkward now.

“That’s okay...everyone assumes it.” He cleared his throat, trying to ease the tension. “What about you?”

“What about me?” Her heart began to thump in her chest.

“Do you...do you share meals like this often?”

She laughed. “You saw my fridge before...I definitely don’t cook.” She was dodging like he was.

“Does your...boyfriend...cook for you?” He finally asked.

She shook her head. “I don’t have a boyfriend.”

“I find that hard to believe,” he said. He folding his hands in his lap, feeling full of food, and Ani could feel him watching her closely.

“It’s hard to find time with working so many hours.” She chewed another bite. “I have so little free time left after regenerating that anyone I spend time with has to be worth it.”

He nodded. “I understand that completely.”

“Yeah, I’m sure you don’t get a lot either.”

“What do you do for fun, then, when you do have time?”

She considered this. “Not a lot. I mostly read. Or, at least I try to. It’s challenging to make it to book stores or the library when they’re open. And I tried ordering books but had enough packages stolen that I don’t bother anymore.” She folded her hands back, tucking them under the kotatsu now that she was full, too.

“Have you tried an e-reader?”

“I borrowed my brother’s for a while but it’s not the same. I like having the book in my hands y’know?”

He nodded.

“So...” she tried to shift the attention off of herself. “What do you do for fun as a pro hero?”

“I read a lot, too, actually. I’m in the spotlight so much for pro-hero work that when I go home like to...be home. Be out of the public eye. Reading is a nice escape from that.”

“What do you like to read?” She asked.

“Everything. Anything, really.”

“Last book you read?”

He told her the little but she hadn’t read it. He gave her a small summary of it.

“What do you like to read?” He asked.

“Fiction, mostly. Fantasy, romance, Sci-fi, drama, only the occasional suspense if it’s not too spooky.”

A thought struck Todoroki. “Have you ever been to the midnight street fair?”

She shook her head. “No...what is it?”

“It happens once a month, downtown. Vendors and a whole bunch of artists set up a market and sell a lot of off-the-beaten-path stuff there. Lesser known painters and authors who are self-published. Food vendors come, too, with their carts or food trucks.”

“Sounds really cool,” Ani said. “Have you been?”

Todoroki nodded. “I have. I was on night patrols the first time I found them and have gone back several times since. I think the next one is coming up in a few nights. Would you like to come with me?”

It sounded so natural. Effortless, for him to ask her but she caught how his eyes widened fractionally and he looked away, as if he surprised himself.

“I would like that,” she admitted.

“Really?” He asked.

She smiled warmly. “Of course...I mean...Only if you really want to. You don’t have to be nice to me because I was your nurse in the ER.”

“No!” He insisted. “I want to. I’ve really enjoyed your company tonight and would like to see you again...you know, not on fire and all.”

She smiled. “Me too...for all of that.”

Todoroki smiled.

It took Ani’s breath away.
There had been rumors, near legends, of Todoroki’s true smile because of how infrequently it happened and how perfect it was. And it was perfect, indeed. His soft, pink lips pulled back and parted over rows of pearly white teeth. His heterochromatic eyes each lifted at the corner, the scar over his left eye crinkling. It was so handsome it hurt. Ani suddenly felt vastly inadequate. How could she be seen out in public next to him? Her thoughts started spiraling as he pulled out his phone.

“Let’s see...the next one is...Friday night?” He looked up at her.

Her face fell and heart sank with a mixture of relief and disappointment. “I work that night,” she said.

His expression saddened. “Oh.”

“I’m sorry,” she said suddenly filled only with disappointment. “It would have been nice to go with you.”

Todoroki grew quiet and thoughtful. After a long moment he asked “when is your next night off?”

Ani thought warily. “It’s supposed to be Saturday night but if things get out of control in the ER they’ll call me in.”

“Or if there’s something only you can handle,” he added with a glance at her hands.

She flexed and folded them sheepishly. They each looked away awkwardly and Todoroki’s eyes roamed her living room. There was an invitingly comfortable black couch, an end table with a small lamp and framed picture. On the other side of the kotatsu was a stand crammed with books and a small tv on top. Behind the tv, hanging on the wall, was a magnificent painting Todoroki hadn’t noticed before in the dim light. The more he looked, the more he saw. There were swirls and explosions in a night sky over a field dancing with light. The color...was overwhelmingly familiar.

“That picture...” he said “It’s...inspired from Midoryia, isn’t it?”

She nodded. “It is. A friend painted it for me.”

“Oh,” he said with a hint of something she couldn’t understand. “I’m not surprised you have a painting of him...you remind me of him.”

“I do?” She asked. She smiled softly and leaned back against the couch as he nodded. “I’ve looked up to Deku for a long time. Everything about him, his attitude, his energy, his outlook...He’s a beacon of light equal to if not brighter than All Might. He inspired me to become a nurse.

“Watching what he went through, what all of you went through, at UA made me ask more of myself. I knew I wasn’t hero material but I realized that I could do this,” she looked at her hands “for the people no one else could help.”

She was quiet, embarrassed by her monologue and worried she hurt the pro-hero's feelings expressing such admiration for his peer.

“You are a hero,” Todoroki said quietly. She looked up at him in surprise from the compliment. “Every time you rush in to help someone who is in pain or suffering, especially when you know it will come at the cost of your own: you are a hero.”

She drew her knees up to her chest, not knowing how to accept the praise as Todoroki looked up to the painting and continued. “I’ve admired Midoriya for a long time. For all the same reasons you have, too. He is the heart of what it means to be a hero and a beacon for our society, indeed. He is the true symbol of peace. Saving anyone, anywhere, from harm. He reminds me a hero can come from anywhere because it’s their actions and words that make them so. Not status...or a name or costume. To be a hero...is to be selfless.” His eyes slowly shifted back to her. “Thank you for being selfless...for saving my life.”

“It was my honor,” she said with a warm smile. ”I’m glad you’re alive.”

“Me too,” he said with another painfully handsome smile. They both sensed the evening was coming to a natural close and began clearing the kotatsu. They cleaned the kitchen in a comfortable silence and the dishwasher was soon full and running. Ani dried her hands and hung the towel back on its hook.

Todoroki walked toward the door and slipped his shoes back on. Ani’s heart began to sink realizing she would probably never see the pro hero again; there had been no more planning after they spoke of Midoriya. She gravitated towards him to say goodbye and lock up. He stood up and paused. He took a nervous breath.

“Can...Can I give you my number?” He asked then quickly added. “So you can tell me if you have Saturday night off? I’d love to take you out to dinner if you’re free.”

“Absolutely,” she said with a blush and pulled out her phone. She unlocked it and handed it to him.

“Here.” He gave it back with himself added as a new contact.

“Thanks,” she said smiling. She cradled the phone to her chest as he opened the door and stepped out.

In an uncharacteristically self-doubting way for a pro-hero, he turned back and quickly said “there’s no pressure to spend your day off with me. Really. You don’t have to be nice to me because I’m a pro hero or was your patient in the ER, Ms. Shida.” His overly courteous nature took over. “You don’t even have to send me a message if you don’t want me to have your number. Thank you for the lovely evening.” He gave a quick nod and strode off before she could respond.

The door swung shut and she was already typing. He received a text message before he reached the stairs.

 

I want you to have my number whether I have Saturday off or not

 

He smiled and before he could respond another came in.

 

I hope we can hang out together again soon. And please...call me Ani

 

Todoroki’s heart thumped in his chest and his eyes widened. He quickly sent a reply.

 

Only if you call me Shouto.

 

He bounded down the stairs and headed to the nearest train station with an extra bounce in his step.

Chapter 5: Options

Chapter Text

Ani stared at her phone and leaned against the door in utter disbelief of what just happened. She was texting TODOROKI SHOUTO. And he just told her to call him by his first name!!! Her heart was still sparkling when she sat down to reread one of her favorite books under a thick blanket on her couch with a cup of tea. Before the sun began to rise she pulled her curtains closed, encasing her tiny apartment in darkness. She wasn’t sure if she’d be able to sleep but she had to try. She had work the next few nights and no matter how distracted her mind was she had to keep her normal schedule.

 

Her alarm sounded and the beginning of her day was on auto-pilot until the previous night hit her:Todoroki Shouto had been in her apartment.
He had cooked for her.
Gave her his number.
Her knees weakened at the memory of exchanging texts with him.
Shouto.
Sure, she looked up to Midoriya and most of the top heroes in every way but she never fantasized about being with any of them. They were always part of a different world, a separate world. But now...oh her mind began to fantasize. The strong jaw of Shouto’s face. His eyes shimmering deeply in two different colors and the scar that only highlighted the handsome features of his face. And that smile. She could dream about that smile for days.

She blinked, snapping herself back to reality and got ready for work with a lingering warmth from the night before. She went to the fridge to see what Aino and Shouto left for her where she found a pre-made bento box and smiled. The train ride was busy as usual with people heading into downtown Dagoben for the night. When she got to the hospital the ER was bustling but there were no major crisis and her shift settled into a smooth flow. It went so quickly she was surprised at the time: lunch.

She remembered her bento box and went to get it from the staff fridge. Her mind was bouncing around. She imagined taking her break in the staff room or cafeteria and having to explain where a sudden homemade lunch came from. After all, everyone knew she was a terrible cook. She decided on the board of trustees conference room. She made friends with the janitorial staff a while ago and they would let her into the fancy board room on the nights when she had a chance to step away from the ER.

They met her on the ninth floor, the top-most floor, and unlocked the door for her. It was a secret she never shared, knowing they let her in with the risk of punishment. They were willing to take the risk because she always cleaned up after herself.

“Thanks Loni,” she said to the old man. “I’ll lock up when I leave.”

He gave her a crinkly smile. “Enjoy the view. It’s gorgeous tonight.”

She slipped into the dark room and used her phone’s flashlight to weave around the massive table. A wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling window looked out over the Dagoben skyline as it twinkled against the dark night. She chose a spot on the floor right next to the window and kept her phone light on to open the bento box. Her jaw dropped. It was two layers of food cooked to the same perfection as the night before and her mouth instantly watered. She took a picture of it with the flash on and sent it to Shouto.

 

Thank you for the great meal! I can’t wait to dig in

 

She set her phone down and turned off the flashlight. Before her eyes could adjust to the dark her phone beeped. Her heart skipped a beat realizing she may have woken up the sleeping pro hero. She opened his response.

 

You’re welcome. It’s the least I could do

A moment later another text came in.

Why are you eating in the dark?

 

She smiled and typed out: so I can enjoy this... She attached a picture of the view for him. She was able to take a bite of the melt-in-her-mouth food before his response came.

 

Stunning view. Where is it?

 

Top of the hospital—secret lunch spot!

 

He didn’t respond for a few minutes. She thought he probably went to sleep until her phone beeped.

 

I’d love to see it sometime.

 

She grinned. Only if you can keep my secret!

 

I will keep all of your secrets, always

 

She gasped quietly. He was as intense through text messages as he was in person. Am I keeping you up? She asked him.

 

No, I was awake

 

Everything okay?

 

Yes. I couldn’t sleep but now I know why

 

Why is that?

 

I wanted to hear from you

 

Her heart was bursting.Well...you did 🙂 You can go to sleep now. Get your rest Mr. Pro Hero so you can do your best tomorrow!

 

Thank you. May you have an injury-free shift.

 

Thank you!

 

He didn’t respond after that and she imagined he finally fell asleep. She saw what time it was and cursed out-loud. She scarfed down the rest of the bento box with the time shad left, savoring every bite as much as she could. She cleaned up all the crumbs and rushed out with a confirmation the door was locked behind her. There was only a minute to spare when she rushed back into the ER, back to the rest of her night.

She wasn’t completely unscathed from the rest of her shift. A feverish infant whose cries made her ear drums bleed and a drunken teen whose stomach contents splashed her arms with a poison-ivy like rash. By the end of her shift, when she was changing out of her scrubs she was already healed. She checked her phone, hoping for messages and felt her heart deflate when there weren’t any. She cautioned herself about becoming too attached. He was a pro hero after all and probably had—bleep. Her phone announced the text.

 

Good morning. Did your shift end well?

 

She grinned. Yes, thank you. I’m heading home without any injuries.

 

She was leaving the hospital when his reply came in.

 

That makes me happy to hear. My day will be better because of it

 

He was so caring, so thoughtful. She chewed her lip as she waited for the train, trying to think of a reply. She went with: DId you sleep well?

 

Very well, thank you.

 

Have a good day at work, do your best!

 

She smiled and tucked the phone away in her bag as the train arrived. She was home before she knew it, having daydreams the whole way, and tucked herself into bed. She didn’t have any injuries to regenerate from and was grateful for it. Sleep quickly washed over her as her thoughts drifted around Todoroki.

~

BEEP

 

BEEP

 

BEEP

BEEP

BEEP
BEEP
Ani groaned and rolled over in bed.
BEEP
BEEP
The ringing of her phone roused her from sleep and her eyes flew open. She fumbled in the bright daylight to answer the persistent caller.

“Hello?” She mumbled groggily.

“Ani?” It was the ER daytime supervisor. Her heart skipped a beat. “Can you come in right now? There’s been an accident.”

She was already throwing the covers off of herself and was already moving as she answered. “What’s wrong? What happened?”

“There was a fire at a school a few blocks away. We’re calling in anyone available right now to help.”

“I’m on my way,” she said as she grabbed her keys and purse, threw on her shoes. Door locked. She hung up the phone and ran down the stairs, hair flying wildly around her head. She could see the train pulling into the station and she sprinted, drenched in sweat, and slipped in between the closing doors.

At the bottom of her purse she found a hairband and ran her fingers through her hair, quickly braiding it. Worry turned her stomach as she thought about the injured children. She was right at the door, purse slung over her shoulder, and sprinted off the train before the doors fully opened. From the station she could see the commotion surrounding the hospital.

Throngs of concerned people pressed against lines of police and heroes trying to keep the commotion at bay. News vans and crews were crowding into the area, too, trying to capture the story as it progressed. Ani elbowed her way through, shouting she was a nurse, and saw Glace fighting her way through, too. They joined forces, continuing to shout they were nurses and people cleared a path for them. They flashed their IDs to the line of pro heroes who let them through. Ani’s eyes scanned the line of pros but she didn’t see the head of red and white hair.

Inside, the ER was chaos.

Children of all ages were filling in every room and hall, the nurses having loosely organized them by the severity of injuries. Ani threw her purse in her locker and changed into scrubs as quickly as she could and went with Glace to find the ER supervisor. From what Ani could gather, as she treated wounds and provided comfort, a young child was helping cook lunch and suddenly started a fire with their recently discovered quirk. They panicked, as did other children, and before a teacher could put it out, the fire spread across the kitchen and out into the school. The child, whose quirk caused the fire was upstairs in the PICU for monitoring though their condition was stable. Ani felt a light tap on her shoulder and turned to find one of her brother’s surgical assistant nurses at her side as she was about to move onto a new patient.

“Ani,” she leaned in to whisper. “Can you come with me?”

The somber tone of her voice made Ani’s stomach sink. She nodded and slipped away with her. The nurse took Ani up into a stairwell, avoiding the busy elevators and main thoroughfares of the hospital. Ani wanted to ask what was going on but already had a terrible feeling. She had been looking for Shouto while she was in the ER and felt a mixture of relief he wasn’t there and worry that he was severely injured again. They climbed to the operating room floor and Ani followed the nurse down to a scrub-in room.

“Your brother’s waiting for you inside,” the nurse said quietly and left Ani alone to go in by herself.

Ani dressed in surgical scrubs and cleaned up, tied her hair back, and covered her face with a mask. She entered the OR, not really knowing what to expect. Her heart beat loudly, fearfully, that she would find him, find Shouto, on the operating table. It felt like her chest was in a vice. She found Dr. Shida and two nurses operating on a burn victim, too large to be a child. Ani was once again filled with a mixture of relief and fear. For her brother to call her specifically she knew the patient was in a bad condition. She was relieved it wasn’t a child...but...she was filled with fear, not wanting it to be Shouto.

She waited patiently by the doors, unable to see the patient’s face. She listened quietly and could hear they were in the middle of performing a skin graft—or trying to. Her brother glanced at her and motioned for her to join them at the table. She stepped across the room and recognized not the number two, but the number three hero: Ground Zero.

Guilt prickled at the edge of relief flooding through her: it wasn’t Shouto. She focused on the patient lying in front of her, worry tucked away, and helped Aino’s nurse. The wounds were massive; they covered large portions of his torso and legs. His arms were almost entirely charred. Aino finished the edge of a skin graft and dismissed one of the nurses, leaving only Ani and one surgical assistant.

Dr. Shida paused the operation once it was only the three of them. Ani’s heart began to pound. “Ani,” he asked nervously. “Are you regenerating from anything right now?”

She shook her head and steeled herself for the question. He addressed his surgical assistant, giving him instructions to keep the patient stable as Dr. Shida talked to Ani in private. He pulled Ani back into the prep-room and pulled the mask down from his mouth. Ani did the same.

“Ani...” He took a deep breath. “The patient is running out of undamaged skin for me to graft. Are you willing to...Can we try grafting skin from you?”

A sheen of icy sweat coated her back as she thought of his burns, how many still needed treatment. “Aino...that is a lot of skin...”

“I know.” He grimaced and looked back into the OR. “If it was possible to keep his condition stable long enough without it I wouldn’t ask...but the trauma has pushed his body to the edge already. He’s on the verge of entering a coma...”

Ani rubbed her forehead as it creased. “Aino...”

“There is another option.” He glanced at her.

She eyed him closely. “You want to perform a blood transfusion.”

“Yes,” he answered simply. “Todoroki’s recovery was...beyond words. Can you do it again?”

She cursed herself internally, looking at the surgical assistant. She knew with this treatment there would be no way to conceal it. Attention was inevitable and an investigation was sure to happen. She looked at the patient. “Is it really that bad?” She asked.

“You already know the answer to that. I know what I’m really asking of you and what you risk by doing this. I’m not asking because I’m feeling lazy or experiencing self-doubt. I’m asking because we’re out of options.”

“Okay,” Ani agreed uncertain how much blood this would take.

Dr. Shida called to an upper floor and reported the incoming patient and necessary transfusion. He and Ani went back into the OR. “Prepare the patient for a transfer,” he instructed his assistant.

“Transfer?!” The nurse looked up in surprise. “To where? For what?!”

“He’s going upstairs for a transfusion.” Dr. Shida began taking down the surgical set-up and helped the nurse cover Bakugo and his wounds. They set up an IV and wheeled the bed out of the OR with no time to lose.

Ani mentally prepared herself as she helped push the bed to the elevator. She had ever tried anything so drastic before. Direct injections of her blood, administered at the wound site were always sufficient for previous patients. Shouto’s wounds required the largest amounts yet but it was still manageable through injections. This was a larger scale she wouldn’t be able to sneak around. She was going to be tethered to the patient for an indeterminate amount of time. There were going to be questions this time and a lot of them. She tried to focus on the need of the patient, leaving the rest for later.

Dr. Shida led them off the elevator and down a hall to a large, private suite. A nurse from the floor was already waiting to perform the transfusion but Dr. Shida dismissed her. Against protest from her and the surgical assistant, he insisted they both leave. He closed the door behind them and drew the curtain.

When he turned back, Ani had uncovered Bakugo and her sleeve was rolled up and she was preparing to insert an IV. “We don’t have much time before the floor supervisor comes in,” she assured him.

“Here, let me help you,” Aino said. He came around to her side and took the needle. “You’ve done this enough on your own.”

“Thanks,” she said quietly and sat down in the chair next to Bakugo’s bed.

“What made you think to try this the first time?” He asked as he began filling a bag with her blood.

“I...I remember feeling a lot like you did. Out of options and out of time. It was a child, injured in the crossfire of a hero-villain battle. I was so angry that this innocent child had to suffer...had to die as a casualty of some trite conflict. I sat there wishing they could regenerate like I could and have their future back...and it...it made me wonder...”

Aino closed her IV and connected her bag of fresh blood to Bakugo’s IV. They both watched her thick, viscous and dark blood drip slowly down into the tube.

“My blood has always looked different...I wondered if it carried something that could help that child.” She looked back to her brother and shrugged. “It was a risk...but I didn’t want to fail them. There was an option in front of me, something I could at least try and I wanted to help them.”

“Do you remember their name?” Aino asked quietly.

“I remember all their names.” Ani folded her hands in her lap and sank back into the chair. “I always will.”

“How many have there been?”

She looked at him warily. “Eleven, including Shouto.”

Aino watched Bakugo’s vitals closely as the blood entered his system. There were no signs of a reaction. “How did you decide...who to help?”

“I don’t know...a gut feeling, I guess. I never went searching around the hospital for anyone and everyone. It was the people who came right in front of me. Those whose paths happened to cross mine and were beyond help.”

“That’s why you never accepted any transfers out of the ER,” Aino murmured and Ani nodded.

They both fell quiet, watching over Bakugo’s still form, as voices approached from the hall. Ani pulled the IV out of her arm a moment before the door opened and the floor nurse returned. She had her supervisor with her; Aino’s surgical assistant had returned to their office. The supervisor questioned Dr. Shida, asking him about the operation, Bakugo’s condition, and the transfusion. He answered everything as honestly as he could while concealing his sister’s secret. The supervisor was convinced there was no need to call in an additional doctor, Aino would remain to monitor Bakugo’s condition directly. He was, after all, the number three hero and deserved this level of attention.

Though the supervisor scrutinized Ani’s presence, he accepted her role in assisting Aino. They both knew more questions would be coming after this was all over. When they were alone again, Aino drew the privacy curtain. They watched Bakugo closely. His body seemed to drink Ani’s blood and it emptied within twenty minutes. Aino drew another bag and it was absorbed as quickly.

At the edges of the burns Bakugo’s skin was beginning to flush pink. His breathing and heart rate evened out. Aino looked between his sister and his patient.

“How much blood did you give Todoroki?” he asked Ani.

She rubbed her forehead. “500ml in direct injections near his larger wounds and only a couple smaller doses near the minor ones.”

Aino and Ani looked over his wounds, marking notes and information in his chart. His healing had slowed after the last transfusion of blood, though his vitals were still stable. His arms were still burned beyond use.

Worry creased Aino’s brow. “Why is his healing slowing down so much?”

“Because he’s not getting enough blood,” Ani guessed.

“I can’t take any more from you.” Aino shook his head. “I’ve already taken too much.”

“Then we need to do a continuous transfusion.”

Aino’s eyes snapped up to his sister. “You can’t be serious.”

“Yes, I am.” She gripped the side of Bakugo’s bed and stared over the patient at her brother. “I figured out I could help people by taking risks. Following my gut when it was telling me what I could do...and that’s how we got here.”

Aino tried to dissuade her. “Ani, this is a serious test you’re going to put your body through. Not to mention the impact it could have on Bakugo.”

“We already know his body won’t react to my blood. And if you’re here to watch over me then there’s no reason for me to be afraid. I’ve taken risks without anyone watching my back before...I’m not worried.” She stared her brother down. “He’s the number three hero, right?”

“Ani, Don’t—”

She reached across and gently put her hand on her brother’s. “This is what heroes do. Right?”

Aino’s eyes closed tightly, hearing their parents last words again. Take care of each other.
“You’re going to do this with or without me, aren’t you?” He asked quietly and opened his eyes to see her answer.

The sheepish smirk and shrug were her only response.

“Don’t do anything until I get back,” he instructed her.

She sat down in the chair next to Bakugo. "Deal."

Aino rushed around the privacy curtain and out of the room; Ani heard the door click shut. She sank into the chair with a heavy sigh as nervousness fluttered in her stomach. She knew what Aino said was true: this was going to be a big risk. She was willingly going to filter Bakugo’s blood through her own body and hers through his. She wasn’t sure if her body would accept his blood or how it would affect her ability to regenerate after this.

Her eyes passed over Bakugo’s injuries again and she felt a pang of responsibility in her heart. This was a person in need right in front of her and she would help them. She had this quirk and she would do what she could with it. Her mind wandered to Deku...of all the things he’d been quoted while saving others.

If my actions can save any of them...then I have to do something
Ani inhaled deeply and let Deku’s words infuse her body and mind with strength. She would do this to save the person in front of her. She could do this.

She could do this.

Chapter 6: You're Okay

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

No larger than a tissue box, the small dialysis machine was set up between Bakugo and Ani. Aino connected both of them to it. It was ready to go. He took one last look at his sister and searched her face for any hint of hesitation or doubt.

“Do it.”

At her words he started the machine. Ani’s dark red, nearly black blood flowed out of her arm into the IV then the machine. It appeared through the other side and down the tube into the IV in Bakugo’s leg. Ani took a shaky breath and Aino glanced at her in concern.

“Keep going,” she urged him. He began the second stage and Bakugo’s red blood was pulled out of the IV in his arm into the machine where it flowed down and out into Ani’s leg. She shuddered at the feeling of his blood entering her veins.

“Are you okay?” Aino asked, instantly catching her body’s response.

She nodded. “Yeah...his blood’s just...really warm.” She leaned back in the chair and rested her head. Aino’s eyes were flying back and forth watching each of them or any sign of complication and scanning the various monitors for any signs of trouble. After the first few minutes passed, painstakingly slowly, Aino felt himself begin to incrementally relax. Any severe reactions would have occurred within the very beginning, though there was always the possibility of trouble.

Ani shivered. “Can you get me a blanket, please?”

Aino quickly pulled a blanket out of the closet and dragged another chair over to her. She propped her feet up and sighed in gratitude under the warmth of the blanket. Bakugo’s blood was warm. It made her muscles and flesh feel cold as it flowed through her but she could feel her regeneration endure undisturbed. Her eyes fluttered shut.

“Sleep, if you’re tired.” Aino promised her “I’ll be here the whole time.”

"Thanks," she whispered and slipped into a deep sleep.

~

Bright sunlight sliced through her closed eyes. Ani winced and, though she woke from sleep, pressed her eyes tightly shut. As they adjusted to the bright light she yawned and stretched.

“Tch.”

She paused at the voice she didn’t recognize. She slowly opened her eyes and saw Bakugo sitting up in his bed, arms crossed. She blinked in shock. Arms crossed. Arms with soft, unburned skin. Vascular arms pumping blood.

The dialysis machine was no longer between them and no IVs connected the two people. When he spoke she finally registered his disapproving scowl.

“About time you woke up,” he said with another scoff. “You’ve been sleeping in my room all night.”

She stood up from her chair, feeling a slight drowsiness dampen her reaction. “You’re awake! Are you okay? How are you feeling?!”

He nearly growled to himself. “Some nurse you are...supposed to be taking care of me and here you are sleeping on the job..again...don’t even know how I’m doing...”

The enthusiasm of his recovery drained out of her at his hostility.
Did...did he know who she was?

“Don’t you know who I am?” He demanded. He thrust a thumb at his own chest. “I’m the number one hero: Ground Zero! You’re supposed to be monitoring my condition, not sleeping on the job!”

Ani’s brow furrowed. In the haze of still waking up from sleep she answered without thinking. “Deku’s number one, Shouto’s two.” She yawned. “You’re number three.”

The air in the room prickled with venomous fury as Bakugo drew in a deep breath. “WHAT DID YOU SAY BRAT?!” His voice erupted violently and echoed out into the hall. The floor’s supervising nurse rushed in.

“Mr. Bakugo, is everything alright?!” She asked urgently and noticed Ani was standing and awake. Ani wanted to know everything, what time it was, how long she had been asleep, when Bakugo had healed, and—most importantly—who knew what but she wasn’t sure what to ask whom.

Bakugo sneered and looked away from Ani. “When am I going to be released?”

“We’re waiting for a few tests to return,” the charge nurse said then turned to Ani. “You can head back to the ER now.”

Ani nodded feeling somehow admonished by the dismissal. Bakugo muttered something too quietly for Ani to hear and she tried to brush his attitude off. She wasn’t sure what Aino had explained to him or anyone and she didn’t want to give away any secrets still unknown. She let herself out of the room and headed toward the elevators until she heard her name called softly from the nurse’s station. She glanced and was waved over to the counter.

“Yes?” She asked, matching the nurse’s hushed tone.

“Dr. Shida wants to see you in his office before you leave.”

Ani nodded. “Thanks.”

She returned to the elevator and, instead of going down to the ER, she went to Aino’s floor. She could feel stress and worry clogging each breath she took and slowing each step. She was worried for herself and her brother. They both had drastically bent many hospital protocols if not broken them completely. Termination was a real possibility for both of them.

Her brother’s secretaries knew her already and they gestured for her to go in right away. She was in front of his door before she realized and took a moment, trying to calm her nerves before she stepped inside. She didn’t want Aino to worry about her.

“Come in,” Aino instructed when she knocked lightly.

She cracked the door and looked in. “Hey,” she said.

Relief washed over his features and he stood up abruptly, rushing around the side of his desk. His white coat flapped around his legs. “Ani!” He cried as he pulled her through the door into a hug. She tightly hugged him back. “You’re okay.”

“Of course I am,” she responded, trying to keep her voice light. “Why didn’t you think I would be?”

Aino leaned back. “Do you know what time it is? You’ve been asleep for eighteen hours.”

Ani’s eyes widened as Bakugo’s words rushed back to her. You’ve been asleep in my room all night! Her face flushed deep red. “I...I spent the night in Bakugo’s room?!” She nearly shoved her brother as she stepped back. Aino reached behind her and closed the door. She sank to the floor and buried her face in her hands.

“I’m so embarrassed,” she mumbled and moaned.

Aino sat on the couch next to her. “It’s not like anything happened. After the transfusion was over and I left, the nurses kept a vigilant eye on you...Well, more like an obsessive eye on Bakugo and a resentful eye on you.”

Aino’s words only made Ani groan. “They all must hate me.”

“They...don’t know what to think of you,” Aino explained. Ani peeked out from between her fingers.

“What?”

Aino leaned back in the couch. “I haven’t explained anything to them yet...They’re waiting for my report on Bakugo’s injuries and treatment. I was hoping the dust would settle and they would let it go, accept that it was a simple transfusion but they won’t. Because it’s a top hero they won’t let it go and are demanding details, especially since you ended up there, too.”

“You haven’t told anyone?” Ani asked in astonishment.

“No,” Aino said as he rubbed his face. “The supervising doctor for the burn department has already filed a petition for a judiciary hearing.”

Ani’s face blanched and her stomach flipped. “A judiciary hearing?!”

Aino nodded slowly. “Just me, though.”

“Aino, that’s not fair. I was the one who forced it on Bakugo. You have to defend yourself!”

“And tell them what?” He demanded, heavy lines creasing his forehead. “You have the ability to heal other people? Seemingly from the brink of death? That you’re a pool of infinite healing who can be hooked up to anyone anytime anywhere?!”

Ani’s shoulders slumped. “We knew—I knew—these were risks when we did this. Let me take the fall! Send me instead!”

“No,” Aino insisted. “We don’t even know what the judiciary hearing is going to be about, if it happens at all. We need to figure out how we’re going to explain Bakugo’s recovery.”

Ani folded her legs up against her chest and rested her chin on her knees. “I don’t know if we can,” she whispered.

Aino looked down at his younger sister and saw the fatigue and fear and vulnerability written plainly on her face. “Go home,” he said quietly.

“Why?” She looked up with concern.

“Get some rest. We can figure this out tomorrow.” He patted the top of her head again and helped her stand up. She sighed.

“As long as you go home, too.” She smirked. “You look like you slept in the office.”

He gestured to the large, leather couch from which he stood. “Why do you think I have this here?” He grinned and walked around his desk. “I’ll go home later tonight. I have a surgery this afternoon and other patients to visit before I leave.”

“Okay,” she accepted. She reached for the door as his phone chimed and she heard the voice of her brother’s secretary.

“Dr. Shida?”

“Yes?” He responded.

“Mr. Todoroki is on the line for you again.” The phone clicked off and a light flashed on Aino’s phone showing the call waiting for him.

Ani’s heart skipped a beat and she gave a curious expression to her brother who explained “he heard about the accident and found out all the wounded were being treated here.”

“But why is he calling you?”

“When you didn’t answer his texts he got worried.” Aino stifled a smile. “He wanted to know if you were okay.”

“Oh no...” Ani groaned. “Did you tell him I was—”

“I told him you were asleep and he guessed it was from regenerating. I told him you were fine but he’s still been worried and called a few times since last night.” Without waiting for her to leave Aino answered the call. “Shouto?”

Ani gasped quietly. She was surprised to hear her brother use the pro hero’s first name and made a note to question Aino about their friendship later.

“Yeah,” Aino said with a grin at Ani. “She’s right here.”

He extended the phone out to her. “He wants to talk to you.”

Ani’s heart thumped with a surge of excitement, all worries about losing her job or the world finding out her abilities long gone as she crossed the room and accepted the phone. “H-hello?” she asked breathlessly.

“Ani,” Shouto practically sighed. “You’re awake.”

“I am and I’m fine!” She assured him. “I’m sorry if I worried you!”

She chastised herself at the assumptive comment. Like Todoroki really would have been— “I was very worried. Your brother told me he would inform me when you awoke.”

“I only just woke up a little while ago and came right here. I was about to leave when you called and I’m sure Aino would have called you after I left.” Aino nodded, unabashedly eavesdropping on her half of the conversation.

“I believe that as well,” Todoroki said with a soft laugh. “He’s been very patient with my persistent calls throughout the night.”

Ani’s body responded with a wave of tingling from head to toe at the sound of his laugh. “I’m sorry I kept you distracted.”

“Please, I’m happy you’re alright.”

“Thanks.” She smiled and suddenly felt hot under Aino’s speculative stare. “Well, um. I don’t want to keep you from your patrols or pro-hero work today.”

“Actually,” Shouto cleared his throat. “Today is my day off.”

“Oh,” Ani’s cheeks blushed and she tried not to get her hopes up.

“Did you say you were about to leave?” He asked her with a hint of hesitation.

“I did.” She smiled again and Aino rolled his eyes, sitting back down in his chair and pulling out a file. “I need to check-in with the ER.”

“I see.” His voice fell and Ani’s heart leaped at the sound of his voice.

“Shouto...would you...”

“Yes?” He prompted her when she hesitated.

“Would you like to spend the day with me if I don’t have to work?”

There was a moment of silence that felt like it would swallow her up before he answered. “I would like that very much.”

The soft happiness in his voice made Ani’s expression shine. “Okay,” she said. “I’ll let you know as soon as I do.”

“I’ll be waiting,” he answered. His words tugged at a deeper, more primal part of Ani’s and she lost any words she had to respond. She set the phone down gently and hung up the call with an excited squeal.

“Good conversation?” Aino asked, making her jump. She’d forgotten he was there and she laughed at herself.

“Yes, thank you,” she said and bowed her head. “Thank you for letting me borrow the phone.”

He waved her off. “Yeah, yeah. Go find out if you can have a date or not.”

Ani’s face burned crimson red and she returned quickly to the door. She was out of his office and rushed down to the ER, battling the swells of emotions within herself. When she found the current supervising nurse they were relieved to see her.

“No one has seen or heard from you since yesterday,” they said. “We received notice you were helping with a patient in surgery and a transfusion but we’ve been worried about you.”

Ani’s heart panged with guilt. “I’m sorry for making you worry.” She bowed. “I was looking after the patient during the transfusion after surgery all night.”

“It’s alright,” the nurse said accepting the simple explanation. Her eyes roamed the schedule. “You’re off-duty tonight.”

“Really?” Ani asked in surprise.

The charge nurse nodded. “You were only supposed to be on-call anyway but after working last night you can go home.”

“Thank you,” Ani breathed with a sigh of relief. She left before the charge nurse could rescind the offer or ask any more questions. She forced herself to walk to the locker room despite every muscle in her body wanting to sprint. She couldn’t believe she was going to spend the day with Todoroki Shouto of all people.

As calmly as she could, she pulled open her locker and found her phone with only minutes of battery left. “Oh no!” She cried to herself and willed the phone to stay alive long enough to send Shouto a message.

 

I have the day off! My phone’s about to die, leaving the hospital soon. Meet at my house?

 

She included her address and sent the text. Her phone beeped, confirming the message sent and the screen promptly turned black.

“Ugh,” she groaned. “I hope he got it...”

Trying not to feel dejected, she changed and tossed her scrubs into the hospital laundry and left the hospital with her purse hanging across her body.

Notes:

I know the whole Midoriya/Todoroki/Bakugo line-up as the top three heroes could be kinda lame and uncreative but I'm going with it. I want to focus on them rather than trying to come up with a bunch of extras XD

Chapter 7: Cleaned Up

Chapter Text

The train took an agonizingly long time to arrive at the station and Ani’s foot was actually tapping when it arrived. She was sure it wasn’t moving at it’s normal speed but a part of her knew it was only the anxious urge to get home. To get to her charger. Finally the train stopped at her station and she hopped off nearly colliding with a mother and her two children in tow. “Sorry!” She exclaimed as the doors shut.
Her excitement was still bubbling warmly inside her chest and it drove her out of the station. She was climbing the stairs to her apartment and was so happy and nervous and jittery she almost bumped into the person near her doorstep.

“Oh, sorry!” She found herself saying again but this time she looked up into the heterochromatic eyes that made her heart leap.

“Shouto,” she said with a happy, surprised smile. “You got my text.”

He nodded. “Indeed, I did.”

She gazed up into his eyes for a few long moments before blinking heavily. Worry furrowed her brow. “I’m so sorry, have you been waiting long?!” She asked in concern. She rummaged through her purse, cursing herself for not having her keys out already. She hadn’t expected him to be here before her! “I feel so bad. I didn’t mean to make you wait out here.”

“It’s fine,” he calmly assured her. When she checked his expression, she saw only patience and understanding. The look of him leaning against her door frame was enough to take her breath away. He wore a blue button-down shirt, sleeves rolled up to his elbow, unbuttoned over a white t-shirt. Dark gray slacks hugged his waist. Her fingertips, absent-mindedly searching as she oogled the pro hero, brushed her keys and she hastily pulled them out and unlocked the door. She stepped through first and moved aside to welcome him.

He stepped inside, leaving his shoes properly arranged in the genkan and entered her home. She caught herself staring at the back of him. His shirt, despite being unbuttoned in the front, fit his muscled shoulders and upper back enough to faintly reveal the bands of thick muscle. And his gray pants...she realized her mouth had fallen agape and snapped it shut, shaking her head to clear her cloudy thoughts.

She shut the door, suddenly unsure of what to do now that the attractive pro hero was in her house. He turned as she stepped up from the genkan, hands in his pockets. “I’m sorry if I caught you off-guard,” he said reservedly. “I didn’t give you a chance to catch your breath after returning home from work.”

God he was so thoughtful. It only made him more attractive.

“It’s fine!” She assured him with a smile. “I didn’t know how long it would take for you to get here and I don’t mind at all. I just...” She bit her lip and wrapped an arm around herself as if it would contain her disheveled state.

“What?” he asked with worry.

“I was hoping I would have time to shower before you got here...” Pink tinted her cheeks. Her eyes were on the ground otherwise she would have caught Shouto’s roaming gaze as it passed up and down her body.

Todoroki gulped and tried to steady his voice as he responded. “Of course! Do whatever you need to do to feel comfortable. I don’t mind waiting.”

“Really?” She looked up at him appreciatively and all he could do was nod in response.

“Okay. Thank you!” She smiled and strode to her room. Before she closed the door she leaned out and motioned to the couch and her kitchen. “Make yourself comfortable. And help yourself to anything if you get hungry or thirsty while you wait!”

And with that, she closed the door. She rested against it, her heart beating wildly in her chest. She was about to remove her clothes. And shower. With Todoroki Shouto in her apartment. She tried reminding herself she’d already done it before when he was here unexpectedly. But her brother had been here, too. Now it was just the two of them...it felt different. She pushed away from the door trying to clear her thoughts as each piece of clothing dropped to the floor on her way to the bathroom. She turned the water on, unsure if a freezing cold or searing hot shower would dispel the lewd thoughts clouding her mind.

 

Shouto would have been lying to himself if he said the thought of the beautiful young woman in the other room, naked and showering, wasn’t arousing. He was trying his best not to let his mind wander into the vague memory of her room. Of her soft form hanging onto him that first night. Of her smooth legs. He felt his pants tighten and he gritted his teeth. He looked around the room for something, anything to distract him as the sound of the shower started in the next room. His eyes passed over a book on the small end table and he picked it up, careful not to disturb the bookmark.

He began reading to pass the time and was only two-pages in when he realized he hadn’t retained a single word. The sound of the shower had distracted him, his thoughts turning in curiosity to what kind of temperature she preferred. A dark voice in the back of his mind suggested he could offer either.

He ran his fingers through his hair, trying to dispel the physical response of his body to the shower turning off. It was nearly impossible not to fantasize about the water glistening on her soft, warm skin.

 

~

 

Toga swung her legs happily from the stool she sat on at the bar. She giggled in delight at the satisfied expression on her boss’s face. Shigaraki stared at twelve vials of blood. He picked up the one that was nearly full and rolled it between his fingers.

“So this is...”

“Bakugo’s blood,” Toga squealed.

A sound of chagrin came from the booth behind them.

“Something you want to say, Dabi?” Shigaraky quietly asked, turning slightly to see the man sitting in shadow.

His turquoise eyes glowed back at them. “Don’t know how much use that’s going to be anymore.” He crossed his arms. “I doubt there was anything left of the hero.”

Toga giggled. “He did burn him to a crisp. The pro hero didn’t want to set off explosions in the school.” She cupped her own cheeks as they blushed. “He jumped in front of a child to save them, too. So heroic!”

“So stupid,” Dabi smirked.

Shigaraki’s gaze returned to the vial of blood. “What do you think?” He asked the warp-gate villain standing behind the bar. Kurogiri stopped wiping the glass he was cleaning and added it to a row of other clean glasses.

“Any hero’s blood can be useful. Especially the number three’s.”

Shigaraki nodded, a sinister smile slowly twisting his features. “That’s exactly what I was thinking.”

The door of the bar flew open and Twice burst through. “He’s still alive!”

Everyone turned at once.

“Who?” Toga asked excitedly.

“Ground Zero! He was just released from the hospital!”

Shigaraki’s posture stiffened. Dabi nearly leapt out of his seat. “There wasn’t anything left to save.” His eyes narrowed at the villain.

“Turn on the news, every station is broadcasting it! See for yourself!” Twice rushed to the bar by Shigaraki’s side as Kurogiri turned their television to a news channel. Sure enough, there stood Ground Zero, in civilian clothes, taking questions from the press in front of a hospital.

“It can’t be...” Dabi murmured. He cracked his knuckles, remembering the satisfaction of his blue flames pouring over the pro hero’s skin igniting the nitroglycerin sweat and setting the school on fire. The pro hero’s skin had been charred black. He collapsed to a heap on top of the child as Dabi and Toga rushed out before other pro heroes could arrive. Yet here the pro stood only a day later with skin as unburned as ever. Not a single scratch or abrasion or wound remained and his crimson eyes were sharper than ever.

“Still think there’s nothing left of the hero?” Twice asked with a sprinkle of ridicule. He immediately countered. “You couldn’t have known though...It wasn’t your fault.”

Dabi sank back into the booth, eyes narrowing and focused on the pro hero’s interview.

“Turn it up," Shigaraki instructed. The pro hero’s voice filled the silence that had fallen over the bar.

“I owe my recovery to the staff here at Dagoben General Hospital. Without them I would not be here,” he grumbled begrudgingly.

“Mr. Ground Zero!” A reporter shouted. “Who saved your life? Have you thanked them yet?!”

The villains took enjoyment out of the throbbing temple in the pro hero’s forehead. He clearly did not enjoy this kind of attention. He grabbed a microphone from someone and barked “I just did! You extras want me to do more than that?!”

A grumbling wave rolled over the crowd of news people and Bakugo calmed his rage to a simmer. “The whole staff did a great job,” he amended.

Dabi’s eyes scrutinized what he saw. “There’s no way that a normal hospital staff could have healed him that well.”

“What are you saying?” Shigaraki asked, looking over his shoulder at the scarred man.

“Someone there can do more than put some bandages and ointment on...they have someone with a healing quirk.” He slowly rose from the booth. “An extremely powerful healing quirk.”

Toga squeaked and blushed. “I feel a field trip coming on!”

Shigaraki nodded slowly. “Yes...We need to know how he healed so well...and more importantly...”

“How to keep the pros from it,” Dabi finished. He and Shigaraki looked at each other in agreement.

Chapter 8: No. 2

Chapter Text

Ani wasn’t sure what to do with the pro hero standing before her. She thought a quick shower would keep her mind from teasing her body with daydreams of the cool hero before her. Oh...how wrong she was....Instead, the frustrations simply accumulated rather than being released. Ani felt like she couldn’t keep him here in her apartment...she didn’t want to make the pro hero feel awkward or pressured.

“What do you want to do today?” He asked.

She blushed. She didn’t have any ideas. Especially when she asked him to spend the day with her; there was nothing specific she had in mind, she just wanted to be with him. “Um...” she looked up at him innocently. “I don’t know.” When confusion touched his expression, she admitted “I didn’t have a specific plan when I asked...I just...I just wanted to hang out with you.” Her face flushed a deeper pink and she looked away.

He was relieved because his face flushed red at the same moment. His pulse quickened and he worked to steady his voice.
“That’s okay,” he said. To her, he sounded entirely relaxed but inside he was struggling against his body’s reaction to her. “Are you hungry?”

She nodded and thought of all the delicious food still waiting in her fridge. “Would you like to have a picnic?” She offered with a sparkle in her eye. It had been so long since she last had free time during the day and the idea of a picnic in the sun made her heart shine. It would also get them out of her apartment and force her to keep her hands off of him.

The pro hero blushed at her happiness and rubbed the back of his neck. She sensed his hesitation. “We don’t have to if you don’t want to!” She waved her hands.

“No, it’s not that,” he quickly explained. “I enjoy picnics very much...it’s...it’s only that I have a hard time going out in public.”

Understanding dawned on Ani. “I get it,” she said. Ani glanced outside. It was such a nice day, she wanted to relish the sunshine and then an idea struck her. “What about a picnic on the roof?”

“The roof? Here?” He asked curiously. He looked at the girl before him, staring longingly outside and suddenly felt like he was depriving her of happiness. She couldn’t be happy from a simple roof picnic on her day off but she was already moving to the kitchen.

“Yes! It’s the perfect spot,” she said. He smiled at her enthusiasm as she planned out loud to herself. “We can bring blankets and some pillows...maybe a radio? No, we can play music from our phones if we want. My wifi might even reach up there...eh, probably not but that’s fine. Good reception.”

He joined her in the kitchen catching on to the excitement. “What can I do to help?” He asked.

She paused and looked up sheepishly at him with rosy cheeks. “Would you please put together the food? Your cooking was really good.”

His heart swelled with pride. “Of course,” he said, happily taking over arranging the food.

Ani bounced away to gather everything else. Shouto already knew what he was going to make for them—he'd picked out most of the supplies she had. So by the time Ani came back with everything they needed Shouto was finishing the last bento box. He wondered if he overdid it.

“Ready?” She asked with a big smile. He nodded, warmed by her joy.

Shouto took everything he could from her hands leaving only pillows for her to carry and their hands touched. He saw the blush it put on her face and he wanted to see more, wanted to keep touching her and make her blush deeper. She led him to the staircase and he had to stifle a growl. He was nearly eye-level with her ass. Though her shorts were longer than the popular style they still stopped above her mid-thigh and hugged the shape of her butt. The staircase took them up past the third floor of apartments where a foreboding metal door awaited at the top. Todoroki suddenly worried they were about to trespass. His concern didn’t last long when Ani pulled out her own set of keys.

The roof was more than bare concrete and heating vents as Shouto imagined. Lush green rolled across the space lining pockets of fenced sitting areas between large patches of flourishing gardens. “This way,” Ani said with a nod. He followed after her, not caring that his mouth was parted in awe.

“This is amazing,” he whispered.

Ani smiled over her shoulder at him. “I know. A few years ago we petitioned our landlord to let us use the roof, promising we would take good care of it.”

“All this happened in a few years?”

Ani chuckled in appreciation of his astonishment. His genuine emotions were so cute. “We have a few retired residents who really took to the project. Those of us who don’t have time to help with the work pay for all the supplies as thanks for their hard work.”

Shouto’s eyes continued to roam taking in all the colorful patches of blooms, various shrubs of all sizes. There were bird feeders hanging throughout the foliage, too. Ani let them into a small fenced area with bamboo floor and a small table surrounded by three chairs. Shouto quickly set his supplies down to help Ani move the table and chairs to the side so they had more room for a traditional picnic arrangement. Ani tucked a placard with the number two into the fence.

“What’s that for?” Shouto asked.

“Privacy,” Ani answered with a glance at him as she unfolded a blanket. “If anyone else comes up here they won’t see this number by the door and they’ll know someone’s using this space so they won’t bother us.”

Shouto helped her lay the blanket out and he began to unpack the food. Ani kneeled down next to him to help and Shouto’s throat closed. The fabric of her shorts pulled up toward her hips, exposing soft pale skin to the sun. As she leaned over the basket the hem of her shirt fell forward and revealed the skin of her chest, smooth and supple where it met an undershirt. He could see the outline of her bra cupping two small but plump breasts. A gentle breeze tossed her hair and filled his nose with a floral, almond scent. He stifled a groan.

“This looks amazing!” Ani beamed up at him as she surveyed their spread. Another, stronger breeze slid across her skin and she shivered, regretting the top she chose. It was cute, coral covered in navy and white flowers, but it was thin. Before she could rub her arms or consider going to get a sweater Shouto was sliding his shirt off. Ani gasped as the soft weight of his shirt fell around her. She looked up in surprise and found herself staring at his chest as he reached over her.

Her heart beat loudly in her ears and, for a moment, she forgot how to breathe.

Heat radiated from him—well, half of him—and his deep musky, smell that reminded her of leather surrounded her and filled her lungs as she forced herself to breathe. She could see the shadow of muscles underneath his shirt and it made her mouth water. As he sat back, and the breeze reached her again, she pulled the shirt closed around herself. Warmth pooled deep in her stomach followed by an ache from her time in the shower she was failing to ignore.

“You looked cold,” he said with quiet kindness. “I hope you don’t mind.”

“Not at all!” Ani’s face was burning. “But what about you? Won’t you be cold?”

She glanced at his now exposed and very muscular arms. The definition of the vascular sculpting made her short of breath.

He smirked. “Temperatures don’t really bother me.”

“Oh, right,” she said smiling at herself. She slid her arms through his sleeves and tried to be subtle when she took another smell of his shirt. Shouto noticed but forced himself not to react; he didn’t want to make Ani feel self-conscious. In truth, he wanted her to keep wearing his shirt and found he liked seeing her in it, much more than he expected. A primal urge to mask her smell from everyone else, covering it with his own so only he could smell it, struck him and he welcomed the possessive feeling.

Trying to bring himself out of it he offered her food and she gladly accepted. She started eating and her appetite appeared in earnest. She heartily ate and Shouto kept offering her more food. “Aren’t you going to eat?” asked Ani.

Shouto smiled softly. “Your body’s been through a lot the past twenty-four hours, I’m sure. I want you to eat as much as you need.”

Ani’s heart fluttered at his consideration and that smile. Oh that smile...she wanted to keep him smiling, always, and would do anything to see it again. “Thanks,” she said with a rich blush to her cheeks.

He was happy to sit with her as she enjoyed the picnic, snacking on things here and there. She asked him questions about his hero agency and learned he had taken over his father’s agency but refused to be a legacy of him. He changed the hero training and how he treated the heroes who worked for him. He expanded the facility to offer more to his heroes including a fitness center. She could tell he cared for the people who worked for him as if they were his family.

Her hunger slowly abated and Shouto accepted the remaining food. Ani cleared away the dirty dishes after he finished and Shouto worried she was ready to leave, but she fluffed the pile of pillows and laid down in the sun.

“It’s so nice out,” she happily noted and turned her face toward the sun. The pile of pillows shifted under Shouto’s weight as he laid down next to her. Their elbows brushed and the small contact was enough to send electricity fizzling through Ani. She wanted to stay connected like that so she held it, waiting for him to pull away. He closed his eyes and rested his head back instead. Ani smiled and did the same.

She tried to remind herself he was a handsome pro hero who could have any woman he wanted and for this moment, if it only lasted this long, she was happy to be with him. Next to his warmth, surrounded by his intoxicating scent, arms touching, she began to drift toward sleep.

Shouto listened to her breathing as each breath grew softer and longer. He chanced a peek. Sure enough, she had fallen asleep next to him with their arms resting against each other. He was worried how she was going to respond to him laying down next her and felt relieved when she hadn’t pulled away. He didn’t mean to lay down so close but once it happened, and their arms were touching, he didn’t want it to stop.

He watched his own shirt rise and fall with each sleeping breath and feelings toward another person stirred within him he never experienced before. Curious. Protective. Possessive. These feelings, mixed with the attraction he felt for her, made him want to spend more time with her. He wondered if she felt the same.

As he watched over her sleeping form the wind gently tossed a wavy strand of hair across her face. Her nose twitched and he reached over, tucking it back behind her ear, and lightly traced the line of her jaw. She sighed.

Shouto froze and quickly pulled his fingers back but a smile touched her lips and, still deep asleep, she whispered a single word that made his heart leap.

“Shouto...”

She shifted slightly, unconsciously bringing herself closer to him until her head was resting on his shoulder. Shouto carefully laid back down, not wanting her to move away.

Chapter 9: Understanding

Chapter Text

Ani’s phone vibrated in her back pocket and she groaned, shifting in her sleep to get comfortable. It was probably the hospital, or Aino, and she didn’t want either possibility to end the wonderful dream she was having. She sighed when it stopped and tucked herself back in against...

Her eyes popped open.

She wasn't sure how she got there but she was resting on Todoroki’s chest, each rise and fall of his chest lifting her head. In her sleep she had also wrapped an arm across his chest and began to panic about how she must have made him feel. Her phone vibrated again and something tightened across her own back. Ani felt Shouto’s strong, warm arm wrapped around her back, his hand resting on her side. He had fallen asleep, too, and was starting to stir. Ani closed her eyes tightly, not wanting the moment to end. He was so comfortable and warm and...

“Ani,” he whispered reluctantly. She made a soft sound in response without looking at him. “I think your phone is ringing.”

She groaned. “I know.”

Shouto smiled at her lack of interest in moving. He felt the same way. They were both awake now but they stayed in each other’s arms. Ani’s phone stopped ringing and beeped; whoever called left a voicemail. Without moving from the pro hero’s chest she reached around and pulled out her phone. She used one hand, the other still resting on Shouto, to open the message.

She immediately put the phone back in her pocket.

“Everything okay?” he asked.

She rested her arm on him again and tentatively spread her fingers to feel the strong planes of his chest. “It was Aino, calling to tell me the hospital is going to investigate Bakugo’s treatment and they’ll be calling me in, too.”

Bakugo’s treatment?” He asked. There was a hint of something in his voice she didn’t understand.

Ani nodded reluctantly, not wanting to put him out once he found out. “Yes...he’s the patient I helped Aino save yesterday.”

“What happened?” He asked. Without moving off of him she rolled onto her stomach and folded her hands under her chin to look at him.

“I’m still not exactly sure how he was injured but he was burned, badly. Aino was trying to perform a skin graft to save him but the wounds were too large and he didn’t have enough skin.” Ani looked embarrassed for a moment. “Aino asked if I would volunteer as a donor for the skin graft...but I said no.”

Todoroki ran his knuckles across her cheek, brushing some of her hair back behind her ear. “There’s no reason to feel badly about saying no. Especially since it seems you found another way to save him.”

“We did,” she said and rested her head against his chest again. “We tried a transfusion first and when Aino refused to draw any more blood we did a direct dialysis transfusion.”

“What does that mean?” He reached his other hand up, propping his head up to see her more clearly without shifting her away. She looked up at him from his chest and he felt his pulse quicken.

“When I helped you I drew my own blood and gave it to you which was essentially a transfusion. We tried that for Bakugo but the healing wasn’t able to overcome his injuries and the trauma from his burns was shutting his body down. So we set up a dialysis machine...usually it’s used to filter out and clean someone’s blood but we rerouted the channels...Basically...we cycled Bakugo’s blood through me while my blood went through him. He finally started to heal and it accelerated quickly so I made Aino keep it going to heal him completely.”

Ani took a shaky breath and Shouto wanted to wrap her in his arms, to dispel whatever worry was eating at her and protect her from whatever was coming next. He fought the urge and continued to listen. “Fatigue started to hit me, like it normally does, and I could feel my body overworking itself so Aino left briefly to get an IV solution that helps me regenerate. When he was gone...one of the floor nurses came in to investigate...I was too tired to explain or shoo her away...she was still standing there when Aino came back but I slipped away into sleep before I could hear what they said to each other.” Ani closed her eyes and Shouto’s heart went out to her.

“So now the hospital knows...” he said.

She nodded with a small sniffle. “I can’t hide from this one.” A tiny tear dripped and Shouto felt every fiber of himself react. He was sitting up holding her tightly against his chest before she could react. Her hands floated for a moment, unsure of what had happened and how to respond.

“Everything will be okay,” he whispered. His words filled her with hope and she buried her head into him as she tentatively hugged him back. His arms felt like the safest place in the world. Tight enough so she was pressed entirely against him but soft and gentle enough to express the tender feelings with which he was overcome.

He rested his cheek on the top of her head and felt her squeeze him in approval. The smell of almond and lilac filled his senses and he wanted to smell it forever. It was intoxicating and nearly distracted him from the sudden figure standing at the gate.

A child, no longer young but not yet a teen, stood with their mouth hanging open at the scene before them. The child’s arm was outstretched, holding a phone as if they had taken a picture, and they stared at Shouto. Shouto stiffened and kept Ani held against him to hide her face. She felt the change in him and froze, unsure of what was happening.

“Hejire! Hejire!” A voice called out. The child’s head whipped around to the approaching footsteps. “I told you to wait for me!”

Ani’s blood ran cold as she realized what was happening.

“You never listen!” The voice was close now. An old woman shuffled into view giving the child a harmless swat but they still flinched. “You’re so rude!”

She turned with an apology ready. “I’m so sorry about my—” Her eyes grew wide as she took in the intimate moment involving the number two hero before her.

“T-t-todoroki Shouto!” she said with a waver of awe in her voice. “I am so sorry about my foolish grandson. I have failed teaching my daughter manners who has clearly failed in teaching her son. He will be punished accordingly.” The old woman, who was already bowing, grabbed her grandson’s arm and forced him to bow next to her.

“Apologize to the pro hero,” she ordered.

“I-I’m sorry Todoroki. I’m...I’m a huge fan and was so excited to see you that I forgot my manners.”

Ani’s eyes widened. She could tell Shouto was trying to hide her face from them and her thoughts began to spiral wildly out of control. He didn’t want to go in public because of something like this. She was the one who forced them to come up here and now this happened and he would never want to hang out with her again and he didn’t want them to see her face so he must have been embarrassed of being seen with her especially in this compromising position. She felt like she was going to suffocate and it wasn’t from Shouto’s arms still wrapped tightly around her.

“It’s quite alright.” His calm and deep hero-voice reverberated in his chest against Ani. She would have enjoyed it if she wasn’t freaking out.

“Thank you for your understanding,” the old woman said and began dragging away the young boy, muttering more to the boy in a chastising tone.

Shouto waited until they were gone and he listened for the door to close before releasing Ani. He wasn’t sure how to explain his reaction. He couldn’t find the words quickly enough before she started gathering the pillows up.

“Ani, I’m sorry about that,” he started to say but she wouldn’t meet his eye.

“It’s fine!! I’m so sorry that happened! Come on, we should leave the roof in case anyone else finds out and comes up to see.” Her voice was shaking slightly and it showed in her hands.

“Ani, what’s wrong?” He gently pulled her arms away from the pillows and took her hands in his. Her eyes were glistening as if she was trying not to cry.

She bit her lip, not wanting to put him in any worse of a position. “I’m...I’m so sorry! I know you didn’t want to be seen today and so I thought we would have privacy up here but someone still saw us together.” She blinked trying to keep the tears away and her voice became quiet. “I’ll understand if you don’t want to come here anymore...”

Shouto suddenly realized what was wrong. He lifted her chin so he could see her face. “Ani...are you...do you think I didn’t want to be seen with you?” He asked incredulously.

She looked anywhere but at him when she nodded. He cupped her cheeks and her eyes finally returned to his. “I didn’t want to been seen in public to protect you. Being associated with a pro hero in anyway marks you for attention of all the wrong kind. My fans can be overwhelming in many ways not to mention being in the spotlight for villains. I’ve watched Midoriya and Ochaco be targeted by villains to get at each other for years. I...I would never want to put you in that kind of position.”

Ani stared into his heterochromatic eyes fervently listening though it was hard to believe. His thumbs brushed her blushing cheeks. “I’m used to being in the spotlight. But since you saved my life and I've understood who you are, the way you've lived...I didn’t want to take that away from you. I didn’t want to force you into any spotlight you didn’t want.” He traced her lips.

“Shouto...” she whispered. Her heart was aching, overcome.

He began to say “I’ll understand if you don’t want me to come here anymore. I won’t compromise your privacy and won’t come back if you don’t want—”

She silenced him by pressing her lips to his.

His blinked in disbelief only once before his eyelids fluttered closed. Her lips were soft, silky. Warm. He kissed her back, shaping his mouth to press all of his lips against her and one of his hands went in to her hair, holding her in place. His other hand slid down her back, pressing her body against him.

The kiss deepened as Ani wrapped her arms around his neck and clutched him back. They parted only for a moment to shift and their lips were back together again. Ani’s heart began to race and her body flushed with heat. She pulled, wanting to say something, but he chased her lips, not wanting it to end. She smiled and held it for another moment. She pulled away again, giving him a small peck on his lips, and rested her forehead against his.

“I want you to come back as often as you want,” she whispered, eyes closed. “I really like you Sho...”

He kissed her forehead before pulling her into his arms again. He loved the way his name sounded on her lips.

“I really like you, too,” he said in a hoarse voice. He was hoping she wouldn’t feel the evidence of his attraction in his pants. “I want to come back as often as I can. As often as you want me here.”

She murmured into his chest “I will always want you around.”

His pants only tightened with her words. This was moving faster than he was prepared for and he realized he was going to have to tell her the truth sometime soon.

For now, he held her in his arms and she held him back.

Chapter 10: On The Surface

Chapter Text

Ani’s interview with the hospital director was scheduled for Monday morning, of course not at the end of her Sunday night shift. No, instead it was at 11:00am and they didn’t plan on giving her the night off on Monday night. She didn’t have a choice; she would have to sleep at the hospital but after the weekend she had, she didn’t care. She spent Saturday afternoon with Shouto. They had a picnic. They kissed.

Every time she thought of his lips on hers she couldn’t focus. Her body would react to the memory as if it was happening all over again. She got barely any sleep since it had happened and her attempt to find release on her own, after he left, was unsatisfying. No matter how many times she tried.

For Todoroki the rest of the weekend was as equally unsatisfying. He had to work on Sunday during the day and couldn’t see her again. Every detail of her clouded his mind and left him restless, unproductive, and his mind seemed hellbent on recalling everything at every spare moment. Not knowing when he would see her next made him frustrated and impatient but when she told him of her meeting with the hospital director he didn’t press for another date. He wanted to support her any way he could so he would wait as long as it took until she was able to see him again. He didn’t want to cause any distraction or added stress.

Ani’s shift began calmly. The regular unpredictable nature of the ER kept her busy and when she wasn’t treating patients she was doing paperwork, trying not to obsess over the impending interview. Glace and Doto were working with her tonight and happily chatted around her.

When Ani allowed herself to glance at the clock she saw it was only 11o’clock. Her shift wasn’t halfway over but she saw it was only twelve more hours until the meeting. There was a lull in the action so Ani took the opportunity to restock supplies and Doto helped. The first room was a large, single-bed room with a TV.

Doto glanced up and down the hall before turning the TV on low. Ani gave her a curious look.

“What are you doing?” She asked.

Doto shrugged coyly. “It’s quiet, don’t you think? I’m putting on a little background noise to be more productive.”

“Sure it will,” Ani said with a smile and rolled her eyes. “I know what time it is. You’re not going to get any work done with that show on right now.”

“Psh, of course I will.” Doto shushed her as she found the right channel.

A woman whose quirk covered her in beautiful iridescent feathers stood in the middle of a bright floor with a large screen behind her.

“Last week a devastating fire at a school in the Dagoben District caused severe injuries to one of our favorite pro-heroes to follow...”

Ani flinched and looked over her shoulder. Doto was entranced.

“Bakugo, a-k-a Ground Zero jumped in front of one of the school children. As we now know, it was to protect them from villains who were attacking the school, although it’s not yet known what the villains were after...

“Bakugo was rushed to Dagoben General Hospital...” They showed a picture of Bakugo’s body being wheeled up into an ambulance. Though most of his body was covered by a sheet or blocked by paramedics, his face revealed enough burns to make anyone’s stomach curdle.

Doto gasped and brought her hand to her mouth. “Oh my gosh...”

“Where he was treated for severe burns.” They cut to a shot of Bakugo outside the hospital being interviewed by the press. "He appeared in front of the public a day later looking as good as new. But what else do you expect from the number-three pro hero?”

Ani grumbled to herself but was relieved there was no mention of the staff or surgeon or nurse or anything that could be traced back to her. At least on this gossip news show. She went back to replenishing the drawers until she heard Doto take a heaving breath and the host’s voice became alluring.

“In more salacious news, a picture has surfaced this weekend of our beloved number-two pro hero: Todoroki Shouto, sharing a very intimate moment with a woman..."

The color drained from Ani’s face and she turned around, needing to see what picture she was talking about. Doto’s mouth dropped open and she screeched.

“Glace! Get in here!”

Glace rushed in a moment later and caught sight of the picture. She gasped and covered her mouth, too.

“Could this mean Shouto has a girl-friend? Who is this mystery woman and what exactly is happening here in this photo?!”

It was Ani.

Ani and Shouto tightly hugging in their picnic spot. The young boy must have taken the picture and it explained the severity of Shouto’s reaction now, why he made such a point to hide Ani’s face. The picture was captured right before Shouto noticed the boy because his face was relaxed, peaceful. Nearly a smile as he cradled Ani close to him and rested his head on hers.

Damn. If it wasn’t an invasion of privacy it would have been an alluring photo.

“As you can see, the young woman is wearing the button-down Shouto was seen wearing earlier that day. Our anonymous viewer who shared the photograph with us didn’t know where it was taken but they did reveal it was within a roof-top garden.”

Ani flinched. She wracked her brain trying to remember if she had ever mentioned having a rooftop garden. She usually wore her hair up at work and rarely went out with anyone after work so she was hoping neither nurse would recognize her hair under Shouto’s arms.

“Well fuck,” Glace swore under her breath. “I’m not surprised he’s got a girl-friend though. Look at those arms...”

All three of them stared at the picture behind the host. Shouto’s muscles weren’t flexed yet they were clearly defined.

“What I wouldn’t give to be in his freaking arms...” Doto muttered. “Oh God, I wonder what he smells like.”

Ani closed her eyes and remembered the invigorating smell like spiced leather. She turned and got back to work still listening to the host’s speculation on every possibility for the young woman’s identity.

For the rest of the night it was all Doto and Glace could talk about. They went back and forth, questioning Ani only a few times before losing interest in her lackluster answers. She gladly shouldered most of the menial tasks for the night because it kept her out of their gossip. She didn't want to accidentally give any kind of hint that it was her. In part because of what Shouto said about those around pro heroes being targeted. It was mostly because she didn’t know if Shouto wanted other people to know. They liked each other, that much was clear after Saturday, but she didn’t know what that meant. What it meant to him. Whatever it was, it was still in an early stage and she didn’t want to do anything to mess it up.

The sun finally rose.

Ani went back to her locker at the end of her shift and changed into pajamas. She had a clean, professional outfit for her meeting with the hospital director but she didn’t want to wrinkle it during sleep. She pulled her phone from the pocket of her scrubs and saw she had a new text message.

It was from Shouto.

 

Good Morning Ani. I’m thinking of you today as you have your meeting. Everything is going to be fine.

 

His words were like a wave crashing over her, washing away her stress and worry.

 

Thank you 🙂 I am happy to hear this from you.

 

She chewed her lip, unsure how to tell him. She sent another message. Did you stay up late?

 

No he answered. Though I was woken up early by most of my old classmates from U-A

 

Oh no, why is that? Is everything okay?! She worried for him and the other heroes, many of whom were in the top 100 pros.

 

Yes...everything is fine. Can I call you quickly?

 

Of course Her heart leapt into her throat as he called only a moment after her message.

 

“Hey,” she said nervously. “What’s up?”

“I...I’m not sure how to say this.” He cleared his throat. “I think...that boy from the rooftop on Saturday took a picture of us together and it’s gotten around.”

Ani sighed. “I saw. It was on the Hero-Watch show last night. Wait...is that why your classmates called you?”

He hesitated. “...Yes. They were unabashedly curious about the picture and asked me a lot of questions I didn’t want to answer.”

“Oh.”

“Ani...I have an interview this morning on a national morning news show.”

She gulped and hoped he couldn’t hear it. “About what?”

“It’s about this. As soon as I caught wind of the public’s reaction, I had the PR agent for my firm arrange it. Ani, as far as you know has anyone figured out it’s you?”

“No, not that I know of. The nurses last night had no idea and they’re the ones I’ve worked with the most.”

“Okay,” he exhaled. She waited patiently. “Ani...I intend to kull any speculation on this.”

Ani’s face flushed red. “Wh-what do you mean?”

“I won’t share your name or where you work but...I intend to make it clear to the public that you’re someone very important to me.”

Ani’s heart pounded. That wasn’t very clear to her. She doubted the public or news anchors would accept it so quietly. “When is your interview?” She asked. “I want to see you...”

“Ani, are you sure? I wasn’t going to tell you because I didn’t want to add any stress to your day.”

“I’m glad you told me,” she protested. “I want to watch.”

He gave her the time: 9:00 am. “Really, I wasn’t trying to pressure you to watch, I only wanted to be the person to tell you so you wouldn’t be blindsided.”

“Thank you, Sho. I appreciate it.” She smiled and he could hear it in her voice. “I want to support you, too. I get the feeling you don’t like doing interviews.”

He chuckled. "I don’t...but this felt like an important thing to address before it spiraled out of control.”

Her heart nearly melted. “Thank you,” she whispered.

“Ani, I would do whatever it takes to protect you.” His voice was gruff and she heard other voices in the background. "I have to go now. Are you working later?”

“Yes,” she answered defeatedly. “My shift starts at 7 again. I’m not going to have time to make it home after this meeting so I’ll be sleeping here today.”

“I see.” He sounded defeated, too. “Good luck this morning. Will you let me know how the meeting goes?”

“Of course. Good luck in your interview.” She wished she could be there with him and immediately chided herself for being so presumptuous.

“Thank you,” he said.

The call ended. Ani slid the phone into her locker. She checked the time and saw there was more than an hour until Shouto’s meeting. Plenty of time for a nap but she didn’t want to risk missing it. Instead of trying to sleep she took a long, steaming hot shower and got a strong coffee from the cafeteria. She felt jittery, not knowing what to expect from Shouto’s interview. She was nervous and curious what he was going to say. She meandered through the hospital and ended up back in the staff breakroom closest to the ER. She was the only one there right now which meant she didn’t have to answer any questions when she turned the TV to the morning news. Time inched closer and closer toward Shouto’s interview time and she braided and unbraided her hair several times to keep her hands busy. Finally the announcer segued into Shouto’s introduction after a commercial break.

He appeared out of a gap in the set wall without any fanfare. He gave a modest bow of his head to the audience and each of the news hosts. Ani smiled as she watched him, already picking up on the minute details of his expression. He crossed his leg, trying to appear calm, and he gave a tight smile when they thanked him for being there. It was a shadow of his real smile and Ani smirked, smugly appreciating he had smiled when they were together.

“So, Mr. Shouto! What a pleasure to have you here today!” One of the hosts with too-white teeth beamed at him. She sat the closest and playfully swung at the air next to him. “It’s not often you’ll do an interview and we feel so lucky to have you here with us, don’t we everyone?!”

She motioned to the crowd and they cut to the rows of cheering fans packed into the show’s seating area. Many people had signs with obnoxious sayings and some people even wore red and white wigs.

“Thank you for having me,” he said in his usual stoic nature. “I don’t do this very often so I appreciate you talking with me today.”

“Oh, it’s our pleasure!” The female host purred. It looked like she was restraining herself from launching herself at him.

“Especially after the exciting event we all caught a glimpse of this weekend,” a male host said with a cheeky grin at Shouto. “Most pros would try to distance themselves from the public eye after something this but here you are! Taking us all by storm! Any chance you’ll share some details with us?”

The corner of Shouto’s mouth twitched. “Well, that photo is why I’m here today.”

“Oooo,” the female host said prompting the crowd to echo her. “Tell us, Shouto. Who is the woman in that picture with you?”

His heterochromatic eyes went out of focus for only a moment as if he was somewhere else.

“She’s someone I’ve recently become very close with and care for very deeply.”

The female host gasped dramatically and placed a hand over her heart. “Care for very deeply how?”

Shouto smiled softly, a faint resemblance to the real thing. “Romantically.”

The male host began to clap and the audience quickly followed suit with a round of applause and raucous cheers.

“This is very exciting for you!” He said. “We’re all very happy for you—”

“If not a little heartbroken,” the female host added with a fake frown. “Shouto our viewers have got to be dying to know...is the woman in this picture your girlfriend?”

Shouto folded his hands in his lap and took a deep breath. “Not yet.”

“But would you like her to be?” The male host prodded. “Do you plan on asking her?”

“Yes,” Shouto said with a quick glance to the camera.

The male host slapped his knee. “Good for you! Come on, everyone! Let’s give our favorite hero some encouragement and good luck!” Both hosts clapped and stood up as the crowd went wild with enthusiastic shouts and calls, cheers and whistles. Shouto stood up as well the three of them exchanged a small bow as the crowd continued shouting.

“SHOU-TO! SHOU-TO! SHOU-TO! SHOU-TO!”

The female host turned back to the TV with another playfully sad sentiment and transitioned to the next commercial break.

Ani slowly exhaled and leaned back against the couch, absorbing everything she heard.

Someone made the sound of a friendly dismissal and Ani jumped.

“Not you, too,” the man said as he went to the coffee pot. Ani relaxed; it was one of the male ER nurses, Toshiro, from the day shifts. “Everyone was watching that out there and now they’re going to be obsessing about it for the rest of the day like they did all morning leading up to it.”

“O-obsessing about it?” Ani asked nervously. Toshiro leaned against the counter and lazily stirred his coffee.

“They’re all freaking out Todoroki has a girlfriend now.”

“He said he she wasn’t his girlfriend yet,” she muttered.

He licked the coffee stirrer clean and tossed it in the trash, while keeping a steady gaze on Ani. “Jealous?” He asked. Her face flushed but for reasons he didn’t understand. “You are!” He laughed lightly. “Geez, you girls and your crushes are so cute. I’m sorry he’s off the market now. The pining is endearing.”

A dozen retorts found their way to the tip of Ani’s tongue but she took a deep breath rather than release them. She wanted to stay calm and keep a clear mind for the meeting.

“Seriously though.” Toshiro’s eyebrows furrowed. “Wouldn’t it be better to fall in love with someone around you?”

Ani’s eyes unfocused replaying Todoroki’s interview over and over in her mind. She didn’t want to forget his words. She was so engrossed in her memory she didn’t hear Toshiro mutter as he left the room “I don’t want to see you get hurt...”

Ani pulled out her phone and wondered if it was too soon to text him. Before she could decide a call came to her phone. She quickly answered, not recognizing the number from somewhere in the hospital. “Hello?”

“Ani? This is Hina, Director Chialin’s secretary. I’m calling because the director wants to move your appointment time up. Are you available to come in at 9:30?”

Ani looked down at her fleece pajama pants and quickly calculated how fast she could get ready. “I think so, yes.”

“Great, we’ll see you then." She hung up. Ani rushed out of the staff room back to the locker room. She was hoping this wouldn’t take a long time. Then she could actually go home and get some rest. She always slept better if she could make it there.

By 9:29 Ani had found the director’s office and smoothed out the black pencil skirt with a deep breath in front of their door. She stepped inside and was directed to sit by the secretary. Ani tried not to fidget but she was nervous. She worried about her job. She worried about Aino.

“Ani?” Hina asked. “Director Chialin will see you now.”

“Thank you,” Ani said quietly with a small bow as she stood. Hina directed her to the thick oak door at the corner of the room.

Sunlight filled the director’s office from the glass wall behind his desk and he motioned for Ani to sit in one of the two chairs in front. Despite being filled with the bright light of the morning, Ani felt a darkness creep over the room. He cleared his throat, opening a file before him. “Shida Ani.” He licked a finger and flipped through the pages. There weren’t many. “Relatively unknown nurse throughout the hierarchy of the hospital. You’ve been with us in the ER for six years.”

“Seven, sir,” she amended quietly. He looked at her with dark, cold eyes.

“Seven,” he corrected himself. His eyes moved back to the paper. “No disciplinary notes or bad performance reviews. And yet here you sit before me.”

He dropped the folder open onto his desk revealing a picture of Bakugo’s injuries before and after the transfusions. Ani tried to stay calm as he continued.

“We received a report from the doctor on the floor and immediately followed up with the nurse who reported the incident to him who confirmed that you—and Dr. Shida—gave Ground Zero a dialysis-direct transfusion. After researching your file I can understand it was because of your regeneration quirk. The problem is how you went abou tit. Neither of you sought a second opinion nor consulted with hematologist before putting Ground Zero at risk. You didn’t receive hospital approval for such a drastic, unapproved procedure!”

Ani’s stomach dropped as his voice rose and her throat was too tight to speak. Dr. Chialin rubbed his forehead and pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Ms. Shida why did you become a nurse?”

“To help people, whoever I could. To save lives,” Ani answered quietly.

Dr. Chialin tapped the picture in front of him. “And you did that, without a doubt. However...you were arrogant in your choices. You believed you could save him better than our pre-existing methods and have stepped into the spotlight, overshadowing the name and ability of our hospital!”

“I didn’t mean to—”

“What’s worse,” he steamrolled over her, not interested in what she had to offer. “Is that now we’re going to be asked to heal such drastic cases over and over again making us entirely reliant on you! And beyond that you have failed to consider what should happen if the patient is someone other than a hero! What would you have done if it was a known villain who came into the ER with injuries of this magnitude? Would you have gone to the same extreme measures? If not than you break your oath.” He paused for a moment to collect himself. “You are suspended—with pay—for the rest of this week until you’ve met with a judiciary committee for the hospital.”

“Suspended?” Ani’s mouth parted in disbelief; she wasn’t sure if she was disappointed or relieved.

“Yes.” He folded his hands in his lap. “Be glad this was only your first offense. On the surface, it would be foolish of us, as a medical provider, to fire you when you clearly have so much to offer to us and potential patients. But we do need to review this situation and be sure keeping you on staff here is the best choice.”

Ani’s mouthed popped closed at his words and she nodded solemnly. Dr. Chialin closed her file and set it aside.

“Please see yourself out. Hina will call you with the information once the hearing has been set.” He gestured to the door.

“Thank you,” Ani said with a bow of her head and quickly slipped out of his office. She didn’t look at Hina as she left, making a quiet exit as her heart was pounding.

They didn’t know.

They didn’t know Bakugo wasn’t the first. She was so relieved and also terrified of how that would change the situation.

She returned to the locker room in a haze and grabbed her belongings from her locker, avoiding everyone she could as she escaped into the bright daylight. Once she was at the train station she took a deep breath. She sank onto a bench and processed everything that happened. She still had a job. That was good. But there was something else the hospital director had said that made Ani wary: you clearly have so much to offer to us and potential patients.

Something about the comment felt like a chain was forming around her throat.

Ani took a steadying breath and relaxed, knowing she didn’t have to go back to the hospital tonight, and pulled out her phone. She missed a call from Todoroki. Without hesitating she called him back. She was worried he would think she was unhappy with what she heard this morning during his interview.

His interview!

Ani had nearly forgotten that happened this morning. Heat bubbled in her chest and tinted her cheeks as the phone rang. His words surfaced in her mind and she wanted to talk to him so badly. It went to voicemail. Ani’s heart sank. She tried not to panic as the train pulled into the station.

She was trying to type out a message as she went to her seat and ended up bumping into someone. “Sorry,” she mumbled a quick apology and bow, not noticing their scarred face impassively watching her. She quickly sat down to finish what she started.

 

Hi Shouto, my interview was moved up to 9:30 am and I just got out. I’m sorry I missed your call! If you want to talk I’ll be home all day and I don’t have work tonight either

 

She sent it then spent the rest of the train ride overanalyzing everything she said, worrying she sounded too desperate. Maybe she hadn’t said enough. She didn’t him to think she didn’t like the interview.

Ani got out of her seat as the train pulled into her station. The train brakes slipped for a moment, jostling the passengers, and Ani stumbled. A pair of arms appeared and caught her before she hit the ground.

“Thank you,” she breathed, startled. She braced herself, standing back up, and felt deep scars wrapping around the person’s wrists like a burned sleeve. Her finger tips lingers for a moment before she pulled them away, embarrassed at touching another person so presumptively.

She apologized, looking up to their eyes, and stifled a gasp as she saw similar scars masking his eyes and chin. Another scar started at the bottom of his neck and continued down his chest under the collar of his shirt. She realized she was staring and apologized again. A bell chimed on the train signaling the doors were closing.

Ani whipped around in panic she would miss her stop but the scarred man had flung his hand out, holding the doors open. “Is this your stop?” He asked in a deep voice as his bright blue eyes stared down at her.

She nodded and stepped out of the train quickly thanking him. The bell chimed again and she paused, looking back over her shoulder at the man. Hair stood up on the back of her neck as she caught him staring at her out the side of his eye. The train began to move and Ani turned away, missing how the corner of the man’s mouth turned up in a smirk as he watched her walk away.

Chapter 11: Happiness

Chapter Text

Ani softly closed the door to her apartment and set the lock. She was so tired she couldn’t even make it to her bed. She flumped down on the couch and fell asleep in her pencil skirt with her phone in her hand.

She didn’t know how long she had been asleep when her phone began ringing. The vibrations stirred her and sunlight streaming in her window woke her up. She looked at the screen and nearly dropped the phone when she saw who it was.

“Hi Shouto,” she said quickly, hoping she didn’t miss the call.

“Ani? Did I wake you?”

“I was only napping.” She yawned.

He was quiet. She sat up on the couch, gathering her courage. “I’m sorry I missed your call this morning. The hospital director moved my meeting up without notice so when I finished watching your interview I had to rush to get ready.” She laughed. “I nearly sprinted through the hospital to make it on time.”

“I see,” he answered softly. “How did your meeting go?”

“Well...I’m suspended until I have a judiciary hearing.”

“A judiciary hearing? Why?”

“They’re questioning my judgment and ability to follow hospital protocol. They didn’t fire me completely because they think I could be really beneficial to them and their patients.”

Shouto fell silent.

“You’re quiet today...is everything alright?” Ani asked hesitantly.

“Yes, I’ve been...I’m at the office now. I only moments ago got out of an intense meeting.”

“Is everything okay?”

“It will be,” he assured her. “Ani...you...you said you watched the interview?”

Her heart fluttered. “Yes. You were amazing and...And I feel the same way about you.” She smiled. “Shouto I want to be—”

“No! Ani, wait.” He cut her off and cleared his throat. “Ani, I-I would like to take you out to dinner tonight and ask you properly.”

Ani gasped, speechless and euphoric.

“Will you go to dinner with me tonight, 8:00pm at La Mer?”

“Yes, of course,” she answered with a breathless smile.

“Great,” he said; she could hear him smiling, too. “I’ll pick you up at 7:30?”

“Sounds perfect.” Ani let out a small excited laugh. “I can’t wait to see you.”

“I can’t wait to see you either,” he said. The deep timber to his voice tingled through Ani. “I’ll see you tonight.”

“See you tonight.” She hung up the phone and clutched it to her chest. Squealing in delight she collapsed back into the couch, muffling a louder cry into the couch. She checked the time and set an alarm to wake up with plenty of time to get ready. Before she fell asleep she checked the restaurant’s website. She was glad she did. They had an actual dress code listed on their website and she mentally scanned through the dresses she had, giving herself two options to decide between. Sleep easily washed back over her.

~

Ani dreamed of muscular arms. Of a sculpted chest. A head of red and white hair looming over her while two different colored eyes scoured her exposed skin.

She woke up panting and covered in a sheen of sweat with a pillow between her legs. Biting her lip she closed her eyes and rubbed her legs together. Glorious friction tugged at the lowest spot in her abdomen and soon had her gasping for air. She covered her mouth with one hand and moved the other down to angle the pillow until she felt the familiar jolt. She moaned.

Continuing to chase the current of release she thought of Shouto and moaned his name. She recalled the feeling of his lips on hers, being crushed against his firm body, and soon tipped herself over the edge with a cry of his name. Her arms fell slack against the couch and she looked down at herself. Her skirt had bunched up to her hips revealing the low-cut black underwear she wore. Knowing her body would be ready to go again any moment she stood up, bringing the pillow to her small washing machine. She started a load of laundry and went to shower.

She chose ice-cold water this time hoping to dispel any remaining lewd thoughts but instead the cold made her think of Shouto. Her nipples, hardening in the cold, ached for his attention. She changed the water drastically to scour her frustration away.

Ani stood in front of the mirror staring at her dress. She chose a modest dress, hanging from her shoulders up against her neck and covering her whole chest down to her knees. The pale-gray fabric was swishy and loose except for the cinched band of fabric at her ribs. Only her upper back was revealed and she planned on wearing her hair down to make that less revealing. Pale pink, blue, and crème flowers bloomed across the dress.

There was something about the dress that seemed so familiar and then it finally hit her. She never realized how...Todoroki...the color scheme was. She didn’t pick it out, let alone buy it, for that reason but she wondered if it was going to be too much. Would she be making a statement of some sort with it?

A hundred worries flew through her mind as she smoothed the fabric again and again and again. The only other dress she had that was fancy enough was a fitted, lacy black dress. She didn’t have many fancy clothes—there hadn’t been a need for them. She finally decided it could be a quick change if the black dress would look better with whatever Shouto was wearing.

Her hair was done, the top strands twisted back leaving the bulk of her wavy, blonde locks to fall down her back.
She wasn’t a makeup person so there was no need to fuss with that.
Her legs were shaved, armpits, too.
She was ready.

Promptly at 7:30pm there was a knock at the door. She flew to it and opened without bothering to check the peephole and the vision took her breath away. Shouto stood before her wearing khakis, a pale pink dress shirt, and a navy-blue sports jacket. Their colors matched perfectly. His whole outfit was fitted in all the right ways to suggest his muscular sculpting without putting them openly on display.

But that’s not what took Ani’s breath away.

It was the depth, the gravity of Shouto’s gaze as he looked at her. As if this is where her path in life had been leading her all along without her ever knowing. The corner of his mouth turned up, happy to see her and pleased at the expression on her face.

He offered her a flower and she smiled at the Todorose. She accepted the two-toned rose with half blue, half red petals and took a sample of it’s floral scent as she welcomed him inside. He entered only far enough to close the door and didn’t make any motion to remove his shoes.

He couldn’t take his eyes off of her. Everything from her soft blonde hair to the glow in her flush cheeks, the blue sparkle in her eyes, made him feel warm inside. Since he saw her in this doorway on the very first night he came here he hadn’t been able to stop thinking of her.

He couldn’t wait a moment longer.

“Ani,” he quietly said taking her free hand “I’ve come to care for you deeply and I can’t stop thinking of you. Any time we spend together leaves me wanting more and I want to get to know you...better than anyone else...I want us to be together. Exclusively.

Ani’s heart felt like it was going to burst out of her chest as she took in his next words: a question that felt like a dream.

“Will you be my girlfriend?”

“Yes,” Ani nodded without hesitation. “Yes!” She threw her arms over his shoulders and he scooped her up eagerly pressing all of himself against all of her. They buried their faces in each other’s necks, absorbing the moment. Ani inhaled his rich smell and couldn’t help it. She kissed his neck. Light, fluttery kisses that traced the base of his neck and drew a lustful groan from him.

In response he took her face in his hand and found her lips as he pressed her up against the wall. One hand stayed cupping her cheek while the other roamed down the shape of her side. She lifted her legs, wanting to wrap them around his waist and he lifted her effortlessly. Ani pulled at him as if there was any room left between them. There wasn’t but he still pushed against her harder. Her chest pressed up against his, squishing her breasts with a delicious pressure, and she began to feel feverishly hot.

Her dress had slipped up to her waist leaving nothing but a few layers of clothing between their aching, throbbing parts. She ground against him, feeling the ever-hardening evidence of his arousal and she was worried she went to far when he growled and pulled away lightly panting.

“Ani,” he encouraged her to look at him despite the embarrassment coloring her cheeks.

“I-I’m sorry,” she mumbled. “I got carried away.”

“I very much enjoyed your getting carried away and I am very close to abandoning my plans for this evening,” he said with a lustful timber in his voice. “But I want to take you on an official date first.”

He smirked with heavy, lascivious eyes. “We’re together now. We can get back to this another time.”

She bit her lip to hide her playful half-pout, half-smile. “Okay.”

She stepped away only to put the Todorose in a vase and was back at his side. He held his elbow for her once they were out of the apartment.

Dinner with Shouto was like nothing she had experienced before. It took them ten minutes to cross the restaurant because people kept stopping the pro hero to take a picture or meet Ani. Aside from all the attention, he brought Ani to the nicest restaurant she’d ever been to and she guessed it could’ve been the nicest restaurant in the whole city.

On top of that, they had a private table...on the blacony...overlooking the harbor.

Ani took a shaky breath as they finally sat down, feeling woefully out of place. The waiter gave them menues: a single page listing the day’s fresh catch options. It didn’t take Ani long to order. The waiter poured them wine and they were alone. Ani’s whole body tingled as all of Shouto’s attention focused on her. His two-toned eyes were churning intensely and she felt color rise to her cheeks.

“I understand why you were reluctant to go out for a picnic,” she said with a light smile.

Shouto smirked. “Yes, and this restaurant even does its best to cater to the respect and consideration of pro heros and their company."

“Wow,” Ani said as her brow lifted. She couldn’t imagine what a regular day out in the public was like if this was a low-key environment. She laughed lightly. “How do you get anything done?”

He huffed a playful breath. “It’s a challenge. But it’s part of the deal. By choosing this role I accepted all the responsibility with it. Being there for people. Being visible, respectful, patient, and polite are all a part of that.”

A soft smile spread on Ani’s face.

“What?” He asked with a light blush touching his own cheeks.

“You’re...you’re amazing. You’re strong and thoughtful and do so much to take care of everyone. And you’re humble about your philosophy and approach to being a hero.”

He shrugged. “I’m not in it to be put on a pedestal.” He grew thoughtful. “In the beginning I was out to overshadow my father. To surpass him so spectacularly that there was no place for him in my shadow. But...my time at UA changed my perspective. Other people in my life appeared and helped me change for the better. It’s the opinions of those people that really matter to me and as long as I have their respect...not much else matters.”

“Sounds like a good way to stay centered and not get lost in all the noise of the media and gossip and social media.”

He nodded in agreement. “It is. The media can be very helpful, though, if used strategically.” He watched her expression closely. “Like this morning.”

“I understand,” Ani said.

“I want you to know...I won’t share anything about our private life. Your secrets are and will always be safe with me and anything else we share. I don’t do that often. I don’t really like interviews at all but this time...it felt necessary.” He smirked and looked away. “I’m not one to kiss and tell.”

Ani felt her face flush with so much heat she had to look away for a moment to catch her breath. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and struggled against the grin that fought to spread from ear to ear.

“Me either.” She crossed her legs, trying to ignore the sudden pulsing that started at the idea of kissing him.

Todoroki smiled. “I had the feeling you weren't like that...I think you’re amazing Ani. I can’t tell you how happy I am to be here with you tonight.” He reached across the table and took her hand.

“Me too. I’m so glad you’re here,” she said. A hint in her voice referred to the way they met and how close he had been to being lost.

“Me too.” He smiled.

Electricity fizzled in the air around them, thickening their private space with a libidinous tension. Ani wanted to knock the table out of the way and climb into his lap. He looked like he would enthusiastically accept her but their waiter appeared and quietly served their food. He slipped away without a word, not wanting to disturb the atmosphere.

Ani’s stomach growled as she looked at the succulent meal. She ate as slowly as she could, savoring every bite rich and tender paired perfectly with the wine. Shouto was hungry, too, and for once they both finished eating at the same time. Ani sat back in her chair, full of the delicious food, and let her gaze drift over the dazzling harbor. The skyscrapers twinkled with the lights of people still toiling away at work. Their reflections shimmered in the dark water. A stray boat here and there crossed the harbor sending ripples across the water to dance with the city’s reflection. Ani closed her eyes and smiled as a warm breeze brushed across her skin.

Shout’s heart began to race as he watched his new girlfriend enjoy the moment. He wanted to make more of these moments for her. He would move mountains to see that peaceful smile again. “You’re so beautiful,” he murmured.

Ani’s eyes flashed open and her lips pulled back in an awed smile. “Thank you,” she said. She couldn’t believe she was here with Todoroki Shouto: her boyfriend.

Their waiter appeared again and cleared their table, replacing the empty plates with dessert menues. Ani’s face lit up. “I love dessert!” She quietly but happily squealed.

Shouto’s laugh burst from his chest.
It was a carefree, light-hearted sound that touched Ani’s soul.
A sound she could listen to forever.

With a quick glance at the menu he said “we’ll take one of each.”

The waiter, who had frozen at the jovial sound from the well-known stoic pro hero, took the menues back and disappeared. Ani laughed heartily at the waiter’s reaction and in excitement of the order. Shouto joined her and his eyes sparkled. “I’ve never felt like this with anyone before,” Ani said. Her cheeks were smiling so hard they started to hurt and she cupped her own face.

“I haven’t either,” Shouto said. He reached out for her hands and they laced their fingers together. She could feel a heartbeat pulsing through each hand one cooler, one warmer, and felt the smooth skin of his hands. She flexed her fingertips and felt the strong muscles defined in each hand.

“Your quirk is so amazing,” Ani said.

He sighed. “It is...though I didn’t always see it that way.”

Ani stayed quiet, continuing to hold his hand while she gave him space to continue. “It was Midoryia...and my mother who finally helped me accept it as my own. I have the powers I have only because of my father’s hostile ambitions but they taught me that it was how I used them that truly defined me.”

“They sound like wonderful people,” she noted.

“They are...” Shouto smiled, eyes unfocused with a quiet, reverent expression. “Truly wonderful.”

They each leaned away, letting go of their hands, as two waiters came in wheeling a large cart covered with desserts. Ani’s eye burned with fiery excitement and Shouto laughed again. The waiters exchanged a glance before leaving.

Together Ani and Shouto tasted slices of different cakes, homemade ice-creams, and flavors of mousse. They divided up what remained and indulged. Shouto relished Ani’s unabashed appetite and interest in food.

“This was so delicious,” Ani said, settling into her chair.

“Would you like anything else?” Shouto asked.

“No,” she shook her head. Disappointment touched her features. “Everything was great.”

Shouto measured her expression. “What’s wrong?”

She looked up at him with a quick, embarrassed glance before shyly answering. “I don’t want the night to be over already.”

Shouto grinned his blinding smile. “It doesn’t have to be over if you don’t want it to be.”

Ani’s heart nearly stopped and warmth flooded her body from between her legs. Shouto’s eyes widened slightly and his groin tightened as he realized what he said. He nearly spluttered trying to rephrase it to make sure Ani didn’t feel pressured.

“What do you have in mind?” She asked him.

“I don’t care,” he answered inwardly relieved at the easy answer. “I only want to be with you...so whatever you have in mind.”

Ani tapped her chin, looking Shouto up and down. It made his whole body burn yearning to be close to her, touched by her.

“Want to come over and watch a movie?” She asked.

His pants tightened again. “Yes.” He had his credit card out and gave it without delay when the waiter came with the check. She wanted to be alone with him.

And there was no where else he’d rather be.

Only moments later the bill was signed and he took her hand, standing up to lead her away from the table. His enthusiasm was apparent to Ani and it made her insides steam. There was a quiet, heated tension pulsing between them as they re-entered the main restaurant. Shouto’s attention was not diverted from her this time as they crossed the large room.

The eyes of a new crowd in the restaurant fell on Todoroki, and then Ani as the answer to the mystery from the morning’s interview, but Ani didn’t notice. All she could see was Shouto’s proud smirk as he led them through the tables. Shouto’s vision tunneled to the doors, feeling only the warmth of Ani’s hand in his.

They had no words to exchange as they waited for the valet. Their eyes met and they blushed, looking away, but Ani took a step closer until her shoulder brushed his. He wrapped an arm around her waist to pull her up against his whole side. A light breeze blew in from the harbor and made Ani shiver. Warmth surrounded her as Shouto conveniently warmed the arm around her. She sighed in deliht and rested her head on his shoulder. He squeezed her hip protectively against any threat of the night—including the weather. He couldn’t stop himself from kissing the top of her head and catching a hint of her smell.

The valet pulled up and Shouto escorted Ani to the door, keeping his skin warm around her until she was inside. He slid into his own seat as quickly as he could manage and pulled out of the lot leaving the valet at the curb holding a hefty tip.

Chapter 12: Just To Be With You

Chapter Text

“So,” Shouto said, trying to distract himself from the thought of being alone with Ani in her apartment. “What movie do you want to watch?”

“Um...” She bit her lip guiltily.

“What?” He glanced quizzically at her—suddenly worried she was reconsidering.

“I only have...four...movies...” she averted her gaze with a gentle laugh. “I didn’t think about it when I said it so I hope there’s something we’ll both like.”

“Try me. What do you have?”

“Spirited away. Nausicaa, Your Name...” she blushed deeply.

He sensed she was holding back. “And?”

“Beacons of Hope.”

Todoroki’s face turned bright red.

Beacons of hope was the documentary about he and his class at UA. It told the story of their struggles against the League of Villains before they went back into hiding and the major players that emerged from their class. Most notably was Midoriya Izuku, Bakugo Katsuki, and...Todoroki Shouto, all given highlights of the work in their post-graduate years.

Todoroki only watched his interview once, never wanting to see his still too-stiff demeanor again. It was an interview only featured in the bonus material, not the main documentary, and the question burned in his mind.

He cleared his throat. “Which version do you have?”

“Extended,” she said nonchalantly.

Shouto cringed but she didn’t see it.

“Why?” she asked curiously.

He rubbed his forehead, unable to look at her. “I’m...have you watched any of the bonus features?”

“You mean your interview?” She asked. A comforting smile caressed her lips. “I have. You were stiff...it’s clear you’ve never liked interviews.”

He didn’t know what to say. She shrugged and watched him as he watched the road.

“We all have strengths and weaknesses Shouto,” she said gently. “So you aren’t a smooth talker during interview...doesn’t make you any less of an amazing person or hero.”

His heart became buoyant. He took a hand off the wheel to hold hers.

“Thank you,” he said with a fleeting glance at her.

She lifted their entwined fingers and kissed the back of his hand. With the soft silk of her lips on his skin, his foot pressed down on the accelerator.

They sat the rest of the ride in their warm silence, hands held together.

When they approached Ani’s apartment, she directed him to a parking lot in the back. “A spot comes with my apartment but I don’t own a car, so when you come to visit, if you drive, you can park here.” She pointed him toward the spot with a matching number for her apartment. “Aino’s the only other person who parks here so it will pretty much always be free.”

“Your parents don’t drive?” He asked as he pulled in.

Ani shook her head. “My parents died a long time ago.”

“I’m sorry,” Todoroki said quietly. He was unsure of what else to say. Unsure of the topic’s sensitivity.

“Thanks,” she said with a heavy smile that didn’t touch her eyes. “They died when my brother and I were in high school. We were lucky...they already owned our house so we only had to work to pay bills, no rent or a mortgage. We took turns working and supporting each other through college after high school since we don’t have any aunts or uncles and our grandparents all died when we were little.

“For a long time Aino and I have been the main support system for each other. Especially when a lot of our friends drifted apart with their own lives. That’s why I worked so hard to get into the same hospital as Aino.”

“To stay close to each other.”

Ani nodded. “We’ve only had people passing through our lives besides each other.”

Until now Shouto thought to himself. He wanted to say it. To tell her he would never leave and wanted to be more than someone just passing through but he kept the words inside. He had a feeling she would have already heard many versions of that.

Showing her over time would matter more.

“But,” she said with a shrug. “Like I said. We’re lucky. We had—and still have—each other.”

Shouto was quiet for a moment before saying “I’m glad the two of you have taken such good care of each other.”

“Me too.” She looked in his eyes and saw it. A fleeting flicker of longing that told her of a lifetime without that kind of support. Little did she know it but her desire to reassure him that he wasn’t alone anymore was exactly what he’d felt moments ago.

For now they would leave this conversation to continue some other time. Each suddenly overcome with the urge to wrap the other up and give the security and love for which they’d been searching unaware. “Would you still like to come upstairs?” Ani asked, worried he would no longer want to.

“Very much,” he said with deep feelings pooling in his voice. She smiled and stepped out of the car. They went to the stairs together and he followed her up, basking in the glory of her ass as it now moved at his eye level.

He was feeling so many things at once. A deep emotional spring for this woman had opened up inside of him. And his body...there was no doubt how his body felt about her. It would take an extreme exertion of self-control not to rip her dress off the moment they were alone and fuck her. Hard. With every step they took his mind flashed with all the different ways and surfaces he could put her on to thrust into her. His pulse throbbed as he fought to bury the primal desire to make her scream his name. To claim her forever and have everyone hear it.

He took a few deep breaths as they approached her door, trying to divert the blood away from his groin.

This was bad.

He wasn’t going to be able to sit next to her, in the dark, for a whole movie in his current state. He knew his hands would be all over her. He started counting back from 100, by threes, anything to dispel his lewd thoughts. He nearly blew his load right then and there when she bent down in front of him to take off her shoes. The fabric around her ass tightened to contour her curves and reveal the lace underwear she was wearing. And the long, blonde locks had swept off her shoulder exposing a large patch of smooth, creamy skin. He bit his tongue to trap the groan from coming out.

He was going to have to go to the bathroom and make it quick. “Where’s your bathroom?” He asked with barely a tremor in his voice.

She pointed through her bedroom and hoped it wasn’t messy.

He crossed through the dark room keeping his eyes on the bathroom door. His mind didn’t need any more material. Once he was in the bathroom he locked the door and shakily exhaled. Was he really going to do this? Rub one out in his girlfriend’s bathroom while she was in the next room?

Any doubts flew out of his mind when he saw a matching set of bra and underwear on the top of her dirty laundry basket in the corner. He cursed under his breath. He unbuckled his pants and slid them down only enough to let his rock-hard erection spring free. He prepared a wad of toilet paper to collect the end result and began stroking himself. He set an aggressive pace as he imagined the strong but tender set of Ani’s fingers around himself instead of his own.

His eyes couldn’t look away from her undergarments. The red lace was vibrant and enticing. It only took a briefly imagined image of her standing in front of him wearing the skimpy things for him—for only him—and he was finishing. A soft moan escaped his lips and he quickly covered his moth hoping she hadn’t heard.

Thick ropes of cum squirted into the toilet paper, threatening to rip through it with the force of his ejaculation. His head swam and he braced himself through the dizzying wave of pleasure and relief.

Feeling disappointed with the dark and lustful side of himself, he cleaned himself off and quickly washed his hands, making sure to send all evidence of the act down the toilet. He was so disgruntled with himself as he left the bathroom that he almost missed it: the collar of a familiar shirt was barely visible under a pillow on Ani’s bed. Shouto smirked with satisfaction. He forgot all about his embarrassing deed, overshadowed with the elation that she was sleeping with his shirt.

 

Ani watched Todoroki stride into her room, his firm ass making her thirsty. The door to her bathroom closed and she began running her fingers through her hair. It had been such a long dry spell before being with him that the mere act of being around him was starting to get to her.

She panted, knowing she was going to need to release and wasn’t going to be able to find it fast enough before they started the movie. She groaned. He was going to think so low of her that she couldn’t control herself. She braced her hands on the counter and started thinking of horror movies. Thrilling, scary stories. The terrible state of the global economy. Yes, there. Economics was boring enough that she started calming down. Her pulse slowed and she breathed through the frustration.

She pulled out a pot and started making popcorn, needing something to keep her hands busy during the movie so they didn’t end up on Shouto.

She wondered what his—no! Nope. Nuh-uh. Back to thinking about trade or tariffs or whatever else she could distract herself with. It took a bottle of ice-cold whatever placed on her neck to finally bring the color out of her cheeks. The popcorn began popping and she heard the door open from the bathroom. Their eyes met as he came out of her room and color rose to her cheeks again. She forgot where she left his shirt last and worried what he was going to think of her if it was somewhere embarrassing.

“Do you like popcorn?” She asked, hoping to break a sudden tension.

He nodded and came to join her in the small kitchen.

“Good,” she smiled. “It’s one of the few things I can make.”

“Did you decide what movie you want to watch?” he asked, leaning against the counter. He crossed his arms and it made the muscles in his arms naturally flex.

Ani had to look away before she started panting. “Let’s watch Spirited...no Nausicaa.”

“Sounds good to me,” he said watching her with a relaxed gaze. He was glad he wasn’t so pent up.

The black couch was as comfortable as it looked the first night he was here. Ani plopped down next to him and put the big bowl of popcorn on her lap as Shouto wrapped an arm around her shoulder. She shimmied into his side. He was so comfortable. She felt so safe.

It wasn’t long into the movie before she began to drift into a happy sleep. Somewhere in the back of her mind she thought this was bad for her regular schedule, that she should be doing everything to stay away but she didn’t care. Shouto, sensing her fatigue, quietly put the bowl on her kotatsu and wrapped both arms around her, welcoming her to his chest. She sighed deeply and he felt her weight as she slipped into her dreams.

The movie was long forgotten to both of them as he shifted, making himself more comfortable while he supported her weight, and he admired her sleeping features. He was very glad indeed he was no longer pent up. She wrapped her arms around him and he sank back on the couch until he was lying down with Ani on top of him. Her hair splayed out across his chest as he ran his fingers through it. She hummed happily in her sleep.

Contentment enveloped the pair and gently sent Shouto drifting off to sleep, too.

Chapter 13: Let Me Know When

Chapter Text

Bright sunlight filled Ani’s living room. Shouto was the first to wake up from the alarm on his phone in his pocket. He grumbled and silenced it as quickly as he could before it could wake up the ethereal woman against his chest. He smiled at how she snuggled ever so slightly to his left to stay warm without a blanket. Ani shifted, stretching as she began to awake, and yawned. Her eyes fluttered open and she looked up into Shouto’s eyes.

“Good morning beautiful,” he whispered.

Scarlett flushed her face as she realized what happened. “G-good morning. I didn’t mean to fall asleep last night.”

Shouto closed his eyes and nuzzled her hair. “I’m not complaining. Even if you did, I wouldn’t complain.”

She buried her face in his chest and smiled so big he could feel it. His alarm started going off again. “No,” Ani groaned.

He smirked and sat up with her still in his arms. “I have to go to work...”

“Nooo,” she protested playfully again and looked up at him from under her eyelashes. “When will I see you again?”

He gave her a crooked smile because he was happy to know this was the reason for her objection. “Well,” he considered. “Do you have work today?”

She shook her head. “Not today or tonight.”

“Come to my office for lunch,” he said.

“Your office?” She asked. She sat up feeling self-conscious.

“Mhmm,” he nodded. “It’s not a secret that I was going to ask someone to be my girlfriend and after last night I’m sure most of the city will already know I was out on a date. I want you to meet the people in my agency. Well...it’s more that I want them to meet you.”

She blushed and watched him closely. “You’re sure.”

“Without a doubt.” He smirked, melting her heart. “Besides...I don’t think I can wait until tonight to see you again.”

She bit her lip knowing the feeling. “Does that mean I’ll still see you tonight?”

“If you want,” he murmured leaning forward to brush her lips with his. She kept her lips tight together but pressed into him.

“I do,” she assured him when she pulled back to look at his eyes.

“Then I’ll see you tonight.” He kissed her forehead. “I need to leave for now so I can get ready for work.”

“Okay,” she dismissed him begrudgingly. “Let me know when to meet you. And what you want for lunch—my treat this time.”

He smiled warmly as he stood up. She walked him to her door where they exchanged a sweet kiss and she hugged him tightly. She took a deep inhale of his manliness before saying goodbye. She watched through the peephole as he walked away, hoping no one would bother him on his way to the car. Only a minute later she saw his vehicle pulling out onto the street and she breathed a sigh of relief he made it out so quickly.

Now that she was alone...

She stripped her clothes off on the way to the shower and took her time with herself. When she was done, she dried off and slid naked into bed where his shirt was waiting. His smell still clung to the clothes and it made her mind hazy.

She didn’t need to look as she fumbled to her night stand and felt the familiar, smooth object that could help her find release. Again, taking her time with herself she teased her own entrance before turning the vibrations on and slowly, agonizingly pushed deep into herself with Shouto’s smell enveloping her. Despite trying to draw the experience out she was too frustrated from the previous night and within minutes she was muffling her cries with a pillow.

Her chest heaved, panting to catch her breath and she flung the sheets away so the air could kiss her skin. Deciding it was better to get out of the house and try to do something other than continuously pleasure herself until lunch—which she had no doubt her body could do—she dragged herself out of bed.

~

Bakugo stared at the surgeon sitting across the desk from him. “What did you say?” Bakugo demanded, nearly snarling. “You’re not the one who saved my life?”

Dr. Shida shook his head. “I supervised but it wasn’t my direct services that healed your burns.”

The pro hero scoffed and crossed his arms. “Yea...I’ve seen pictures from the press. I don’t think my injuries were as bad as you’re making it sound.” His pride wouldn’t let him accept that a lowly hospital doctor could have saved his life. The head surgeon, who sat before him, would have been fair. But a regular doctor? No. He was too important and powerful to have been saved by someone like that.

“See for yourself,” Dr. Shida replied laying a folder open on the desk between them.

Bakugo’s fingers began to spread the pile and felt a cold prickle across his skin. The surgeon was right: it was bad. He cursed the lame villain who took a cheap shot at the lousy kid. Bakugo had made an embarrassing mistake in letting his guard down and the villain seized the chance. He didn’t have a choice; he couldn’t let a kid die under his protection.

His eyes scoured the massive burns and seemingly irreversible damage he’d taken protecting the child. It would make him a laughing stock to reveal how seriously he’d been hurt and might even drop him out of the top five heroes. Maybe the top ten. He angrily flipped the folder closed, hiding the images as if it would erase what had happened to him.

“So? What’s your point?” He growled. “Why am I here?”

Dr. Shida sat back in his chair and rubbed his forehead. “Because I have a favor to ask you.”

“Tch. Of course you do. Have some big gala you need me to attend, do you? Or some celebrity hero auction to host?”

“Mr. Ground Zero, that's enough!” The surgeon glowered at the pro hero. He never thought a pro could be so infuriating. “I’m here to ask you to help the person who saved you.”

“How?” Bakugo’s eyes narrowed.

“The nurse who used her quirk to save your life did so without hospital approval and she’s facing—”

“Wait, did you say nurse?!” Bakugo’s crimson eyes flamed with anger. It was worse that he could have imagined. “A NURSE saved MY life?!”

Dr. Shida’s mouth closed slowly and his eyes narrowed at the pro hero. He fell quiet as he watched Bakugo’s anger boil. “Well?!” The pro demanded. “Answer me! Was it a nurse or not?!”

“Mr. Bakugo...you are only alive today because that nurse” he defensively spit the word “put her own freedom and life on the line. To save you. And you don’t seem the least bit grateful!”

“How can I be grateful! You’re going to showcase this nurse and hold her above my head to make your hospital famous and get rich and—”

“MR. BAKUGO!” Dr. Shida slammed his hands down on the desk. He didn’t even remember standing but suddenly he was and he glared down at the pro hero. “The nurse who saved you is at risk of losing her job! For what she did! She doesn’t care about becoming famous. In fact it’s quite the opposite! She DOESN’T want anyone to know! And the hospital is having a judiciary hearing to decide her fate! So no one is making any motions to promote your healing as a victory for the hospital!”

Dr. Shida slumped back into his chair and covered his mouth. The office fell silent as, for once, the pro hero was at a loss for words. Dr. Shida waited until the anger had seeped out of his body before looking back to Bakugo. “This nurse...only wanted to save your life...She fears people finding out about her ability to heal injuries as extensive as this and...and is the farthest thing from an attention-seeking, money-chasing person you imagine her to be. I’m relieved at your insecurity from being saved by a nurse only because I now know you won’t want anyone to find out about this any more than she does. I wanted you here today so I could ask you a favor but it’s clear that my efforts are fruitless. Thank you for coming in today, Mr. Bakugo.”

Dr. Shida motioned to the door behind the pro as a gesture for him to leave.
Bakugo didn’t move.
“Why is it so important to you to look out for this girl?” Bakugo’s eyes narrowed. “Trying to help her since she did your work for you?”

Dr. Shida dismissed the comment and rested his head in a hand, arm propped on an arm of his chair as he watched and waited for the pro hero to leave.

“Oh,” he snickered. “You must have feelings for the girl. That’s why you’re looking out for her, right?”

“Mr. Bakugo, I don’t know why it’s so important to you but I care for her indeed though not in the way you’re suggesting. I’m looking out for her because she is my sister. Now, if you’ll please excuse yourself, I need to prepare for surgery.” Dr. Shida stood up this time, gesturing again to the door.

Bakugo waited a long moment before he pushed up from the chair and stormed to the door. He paused. “What...what was the favor you were going to ask of me?” The pro hero grumbled so low the surgeon could barely hear.

“I was going to ask you to attend the judiciary hearing,” Dr. Shida answered with a tired voice. “To attest to the results of her efforts and defend her position here at the hospital.”

Bakugo hesitated with his hand on the door handle. “When is the hearing?”

“We don’t know yet.”

Bakugo huffed. “Well...let me know when you do...I’ll...I’ll see if I can make it.” After his gruff reply he quickly left, slamming the door behind himself.

Dr. Shida sank back down to his chair wondering if Bakugo’s presence was really going to be a favor to Ani after all.

~

It had been a long time since Ani had a day to herself. A day without rushing to finish an errand or get home to sleep. A day without having to hibernate while undergoing a serious regeneration. Gray skies threatened rain as she left her apartment but she didn’t care. Nothing would dampen her day.

She headed to the train station with the book store in mind. It was a great chance to peruse the aisles both killing time and giving her a chance to stock fresh material at home. She happily hummed to herself as the train pulled into the station and she chose a seat near the door, not noticing much around herself.

“Having a good day?” someone behind her asked. She glanced around, unsure if the question was directed at her. Two seats back sat the scarred man who caught her as she tripped on the train the previous day.

He was leaning back in his seat, fluorescent blue eyes focused unblinkingly on her so intently that a natural color rose to her cheeks. She nodded to be polite and turned back around. She heard him shift and make a comment.

“Must be nice to be so happy...” His languid voice rolled over the seat and made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. She adjusted herself taking a steadying breath and saw, from the corner of her eye, how his arms hung over the empty seat between them.

The train was empty; it was mid-day after all and schools weren’t out yet let alone the common work day.

Ani didn’t mean to sit so close to him, the only other passenger. She had been in such a good mood she was oblivious to him until he spoke. Now her good mood had taken a back seat to the vulnerability she felt under this man’s gaze. The sinister scars cupping his eyes and chin were held together my medical staples and she wondered if he was still healing from his burns or if he kept them in by choice. She took slow and steady breaths, forcing away the feeling of being watched like prey.

Not soon enough the train was pulling into the next stop. She waited until the doors opened to stand and leave, unsure if the man would try to follow her. She was relieved when she saw him through the window, sitting back in his seat. He continued watching her as the train left and her stomach flipped making her feel jittery.

Two days in a row she had seen him. It was a coincidence, she reminded herself, she normally wasn’t around this time of the day so maybe she was the one intruding on his regular ride. A voice in the back of her mind remarked that there was clearly more to it but Ani wanted to enjoy her day. She left the creepy vibes in the station as she went out into the shopping district.

Chapter 14: Listen

Chapter Text

Shouto made it to his agency and Neto was there at the front desk standing guard and greeting as usual. “Good morning, Neto,” he said to the jacked woman behind the desk. She nodded her head calmly as he swiped through the gate.

She nodded. “Good morning, Mr. Todoroki.”

One of the reasons he liked having her at this station was because she was no-nonsense. No frivolous conversation to delay him from getting to his office. She gave an air of seriousness to the entry way that often kept overzealous fans and members of the press far away, ensuring those in the hall and the building were there for a reason. He was all for interacting positively with members of the public but the office was a place for himself and his staff to stay focused.

He waited in the elevator lobby after the security, eyes roaming over the Human Resource’s current informational displays about maintaining both physical and mental health.

Moments later he was stepping out of the elevator onto the top floor. Up here there were two executive offices; only his own was in use. The other had been his father’s for the short time their work overlapped. There was an executive bathroom and a large boardroom. Aside from the simple waiting lounge and his assistant’s desk right outside his office there wasn’t anything else on the floor.

He liked it this way. Calm. Quiet.

Neto must have notified Dojire of Todoroki’s arrival because he was waiting for his boss by the elevator.

“Good morning sir,” Dojire said with a small bow, falling into stride as they crossed the floor.

“Good morning Dojire. What do you have for me?” He accepted the folders his assistant offered and followed along through them as the assistant rattled off the normal day-to-day business needs but there was a hesitation as they approached Todoroki’s office door.

“What is it?” He asked flatly.

Dojire grimaced under his boss’s questioning stare. He cleared his throat. “Yaoyorozu is here to see you.”

Todoroki didn’t need to glance around in wonder of where she might be. He exhaled deeply, not wanting to be bothered with this anymore.

“I’m sorry sir,” Dojire said with a deep bow. “I tried to stop her but she didn’t listen and challenged me to force her out which she knew I wouldn’t do.”

“At this point I’m going to have to tell security not to let her in anymore,” he grumbled under his breath and braced himself as he opened the heavy wooden door to his office. He dared not enter and, instead, stood in the doorway.

“What are you doing here Yaoyorozu.”

Slowly his large, leather chair turned back around from the window and the scantily clad pro hero faced him innocently. “I’m only here to check-in on you, Shouto, since you never come to dinner with our families.”

Todoroki forced himself to stay level-headed. “We both know that’s not why you’re here.”

“Then why did you ask?” She questioned as she put her red-leather boots up on his desk and crossed her legs.

He looked away, knowing she was trying to force him to catch a glimpse of what her hero outfit failed to cover. “I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt,” he answered sternly.

“Such a gentleman,” she purred.

He didn’t move from the doorway, relying on Dojire’s attention to keep the harlot’s behavior in check. She made no move to get up from his chair. “I have a lot of work to do. If you’re all done, please leave.”

She took her feet down off the desk and pouted, putting her chin in her hands which made her breasts squish together between her elbows. It was an act that played well with the public but painted her pathetically to those who knew her personally. “You’re not being very welcoming this morning, Mr. Number Two.” She batted her eyes at him. “I thought you would be happy to see me...but...I guess you’re not interested...now that you have...a girlfriend.” Her voice curled venomously around the word.

“We’ve been over this enough Yaoyorozu.” He was getting irritated. Since their time at UA he had always been clear: he wasn’t interested in her. He respected her as a hero, sure. He admitted she had an impressive quirk. But there wasn’t anything else there. She was a classmate, a peer. Nothing more but it never stopped her trying.

Finally, she stood up. She adjusted her hero uniform as if it would make her any more decent and sauntered across the floor of his spacious office. She stopped next to him in the doorway, not caring about Dojire’s presence. She fluttered her eyelashes nauseatingly and placed a hand on her chest, motioning to put her other hand on his chest but before she could touch him she was wrapped in ice.

“Ooo, Shouto, it’s so cold,” she moaned. “You’re so rough with me.”

Dojire rolled his eyes and Todoroki appreciated the comradery as he sighed. “Yaoyorozu, this is disappointing. You know I don’t attend dinners between our families because I’m not interested. No matter how or how often I tell you, I’m not interested.” He used ice to push the cocooned pro-hero back to the elevator. “You’re just embarrassing yourself.”

The woman shattered the icy cage apart with metal spikes that appeared suddenly from all angles of her exposed skin. They detached and fell to the floor with the shards of ice. “Well, if you ever change your mind,” she winked without shame. “You know where to find me.”

She stepped into the elevator, taking the awkwardness with her.

“I’m sorry you had to deal with that today, sir.” Dojire sighed then cautiously looked to Todoroki who was surprisingly serene. “She...she mentioned a girl-friend...does that mean your date went well last night?”

A corner of Todoroki’s mouth lifted in a crooked smile and it surprised the assistant again. “Yes, it went very well indeed,” he answered happily. “You’ll have a chance to meet her when she comes here for lunch today.”

“That’s wonderful news, sir. I look forward to meeting her very much,” Dojire said as he pieced together Todoroki’s schedule, already knowing what his boss would need. “You only have meetings until 12:30 today. Your day after that is unscheduled as of right now.”

“Good,” Todoroki said with a nod. “Block off until 2:30 at least.”

“Will do,” Dojire said making a note. They both glanced at the now-melting mess in front of the elevator. “And I’ll get someone up here to clean that up right away.”

“Thank you,” Todoroki said with a sigh and turned into his office.

~

Ani was back home stacking her new books on the shelves when Shouto texted her. She smiled to herself as she took note of the time. It took some prodding but she finally convinced him to let her get him lunch and he told her what he liked. When it was time to go she checked herself in the mirror, a simple outfit of jeans and a cute navy shirt, long hair pulled back into a pony-tail, and bounded out of the apartment. She wasn’t sure the fastest train route to get to him and she didn’t want to be late so this time she called a cab. It was already waiting at the curb.

They looked over their shoulder with surprise when she gave the address and kept glancing in the mirror as they drove. Ani wondered if they were trying to figure out who she was. She tried not to squirm impatiently as they arrived and she spotted the place Shouto mentioned for lunch. She handed the driver the fare and left, slipping into the light rain that had begun.

She quickly opened her umbrella and dashed into the restaurant to pick up their food. She recognized a few familiar faces in the crowd of people some lower-level but still pro heroes were enjoying lunch among members of the general public. Ani was glad no one recognized her. She was able to slip out unnoticed and crossed the street to Shouto’s agency.

The looming edifice displayed ‘Todoroki Hero Agency’ simply at the top. It was a crisp, clean front to the building...it fit Shouto well. She shook her umbrella off as she pushed her way into the welcoming area set in front of the main desk.

“Welcome to the Todoroki Hero Agency. Can I help you?” A sturdy looking woman at the front desk greeted her.

“Y-yes...” Ani said nervously. “I-I’m here to see Todoroki Shouto. F-for lunch.”

The woman’s muscular stature reminded her of a rhinoceros and Ani had no doubt she could tear a person apart just like one. Her dark eyes scrutinized Ani as if she’d heard this before.

“Name.”

“Shida Ani,” she answered with a shaky breath.

“ID.”

She pulled her small wallet from her purse and presented the documentation. The woman grunted and made a phone call. “I have a Shida...Ani here. Says she’s here to see Mr. Todoroki. Uh-huh. Yeah. Okay.”

Ani waited patiently as the guard hung up and prepared a visitor’s badge for Ani. “Top floor,” were the only curt instructions the guard gave her.

“Thank you,” Ani said with a bow of her head as she affixed the badge to her shirt. The guard let her through the gate and she waited by herself at the elevators, stomach grumbling with the smell of the food. There were multiple elevators which meant she didn’t have to ride with anyone or have to face any curious looks or suspicious questions.

Her heart began to pound as the elevator flew up and opened to the spacious executive lounge. The large, leather furniture of the waiting room was intimidating, unsoftened by the lack of decorations in an unwelcoming way. She stepped out and before she could feel unsure of herself a man greeted her with a smile that felt warm against the stoic office backdrop.

“Hello, Ms. Shida Ani?” He asked and she nodded. “My name is Dojire Hakotsu, I’m Mr. Todoroki’s assistant. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” He bowed his head.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, too. Do-Dojire?” She asked, checking his name.

He stood and smiled. “Yes.”

She gave a slight bow of her head and started to feel unsure of what to do next.

“Mr. Todoroki is finishing a phone call at the moment,” Dojire said with a motion to the sitting area. “Please, make yourself comfortable. Can I get you something to drink?”

“Thank you,” she said quietly and took a seat on the couch. “A tea, please.”

“Of course,” he said with a nod and smile.

There wasn’t much to look at as she waited and she resisted the urge to fidget as the assistant came back from a hidden kitchenette. “Here, for you,” he said gently as he placed the cup of tea on the table in front of her.

“Thank you,” she said. He surprised her by sitting down across from her in one of the large chairs.

“May I join you?”

“Of course,” she answered with a smile.

“What do you do, Ms. Ani?” He asked as she sipped her tea.

“I’m an emergency room nurse at Dagoben general.”

“Wow,” Dojire said with a raised brow. “That has to be a demanding job.”

“It has those moments, though most jobs do.” She smiled. “I imagine working for a professional hero is quite demanding as well.”

Dojire smiled back. “It can be. It’s an honor to work for Mr. Todoroki, though.”

“Have you worked here for long?” She asked.

He nodded. “Mr. Todoroki hired me as his personal assistant when his father still worked here, over ten years ago. When Endeavor left the agency and Shouto took over he asked me to remain and work as his head of planning.” He smiled wryly. “It mainly means secretary despite the official title.”

“Doesn’t matter the job,” Ani noted. “What matters is how you do it.”

Dojire grew quiet. “A valid observation.”

A phone rang, cutting loudly through the pensive atmosphere and Dojire returned to his desk to answer it. “Todoroki agency,” he greeted. Ani tuned out, not wanting to intrude, as the man held his quiet conversation with the caller and took notes. “Of course, I’ll make sure he gets it.” Dojire set the receiver down as the door to Shouto’s office opened.

Ani nearly spilled tea all over herself and the couch as she stood up in excitement to see him. His eyes fell on her instantaneously and she couldn’t surpress the heat rising to her cheeks.

“You made it,” he said with the hint of a smile at the corner of his lips.

“Yes, and with your lunch, as promised Mr. Todoroki,” she said with a smile and lifted the bag.

“Come on in. We’ll eat and then I’ll give you a tour.” He motioned into his office. “Dojire, please enjoy your lunch break now.”

“Of course, Mr. Todoroki.” Dojire offered the message he’d taken moments ago. “This came in while you were on the phone.”

Todoroki skimmed the note and nodded. “Okay, thank you.” He took the slip from his assistant and welcomed Ani into his office. Electricity fizzled in her chest as he guided her in with a hand on her lower back. He shut the door as Ani took in the clean, crisp design of the office from the large desk and chair, to the modern sofas around a coffee table, and bookshelves that lined two of the walls. A third wall held a massive painting of UA and a barely-visible door. The fourth wall was made of windows.

He led Ani to the couches and sat down facing the windows. “It’s not like the skyline you showed me, but it’s still nice,” he commented as he watched her scan the view from his window.

“Very nice,” she agreed and sat down next to him on the couch. Her stomach garbled as they opened the bag of still-warm food.

They chatted happily together as they ate, Ani telling him about treating patients in the ER, how crazy it was treating all the different quirks, and Shouto told her more about the heroes who worked in his agency. His phone would ring occasionally but it never pulled his attention away from their time.

She stretched and leaned back against the firm couch watching the clouds as Shouto finished his food. A weighty silence fell between them and Ani’s eyes moved back to Shouto who was deep in thought. Ani’s eyes shifted to him as he shifted in his seat.

“Ani...there’s something I have to make you aware of...” Well...one thing, right now at least.

“Okay,” she said keeping her emotions level. She would try her best not to jump to any emotional conclusions despite his tone. She folded her hands in her lap and waited supportively while he searched for the words.

“A long time ago...my parents told the Yaoyorozu family that I would marry their daughter which I do not want to do. The problem is they’re all still pushing the engagement, including Yaoyorozu herself. She is unpleasantly aggressive despite having made my feelings clear and has ruined a previous relationship of mine. She was here this morning, having sweet-talked her way into the building, and waiting unwelcome in my office. All because my relationship with you has been public for one night.

“I have no interest in her and have never reciprocated any romantic feelings. She mistook my friendship while we were classmates and sees it as something more. Your paths will inevitably cross though I wish they wouldn’t but please...don’t believe what she says. I do not have feelings for her and I refuse to marry her.”

Shouto’s heterochromatic eyes met Ani’s from under his brow deeply creased with worry.

“Yaoyorozu...?” Ani clarified. “As in...Creati?”

Shouto nodded grimly. He heard something in Ani’s voice and feared it was insecurity that would drive her away from him. He hated how much Yaoyorozu’s name alone could drive women away with jealousy. He felt his heart harden, bracing for the inescapable to—

“Okay. I believe you,” Ani said calmly.

Shouto’s eyes flashed to her. “You do?”

She nodded, taking a shaky breath. “I’ll admit...it’s really intimidating. But if you say you don’t have feelings for her and you don’t agree to the arranged marriage...I believe you.”

Shouto took a moment to absorb his girlfriend’s soft expression. “Thank you,” he said, the corner of his mouth lifted in the shadow of a smile.

“Of course...” she said and her eyes fell to her hands. “I have something I need to make you aware of, too.”

“Okay.” He resisted the urge to make a joke about her brother forcing her into an engagement; the worry on her face made it clear this wasn’t the time.

“I can’t have children,” she said simply and looked back at him to watch his face.

A brief flicker of surprise lifted his brow before he responded “I don’t want children.”

“Really?” She asked, shocked.

He nodded. “After what I went through, I never had any interest in raising a child myself. So, it doesn’t bother me that you can’t have them.”

A smile slowly stretched her lips and the worry eased away out of her chest. It was something she had always worried about and had driven previous romantic interests away. She was speechless that this man with such a powerful quirk would not want to pass it on but his lack of interest was a huge relief for her.

He leaned toward her and she met him halfway for a kiss. They pressed their mouths together, soft skin molding to the shape of the other. His lips parted and his tongue traced the contours of her own, asking permission. Without reservation she welcomed him with her own and the kiss heated as he cupped her cheek and pulled her closer. She responded eagerly. She used the kiss to push him back against the couch and straddled his lap. The hand that wasn’t on her face flew to her lower back and he pressed her against him which earned him a satisfied hum from Ani.

She began to get lightheaded and slipped her fingers into his hair to stay grounded. Okay, maybe she also wanted to feel the bi-colored hair again and have a way to pull at him. She was getting excited and didn’t realize that each pulse of the kiss moved like a wave down her body and ground herself into his lap.

The phone rang again and Shouto didn’t break his focus for a moment, refusing to let anything take his attention from the steamy kiss. He felt like he could devour Ani. Throw her down on the couch and take her right here in his office.

He wanted her to scream his name so loudly it would echo through the building. Through the city. And leave no doubt about who she belonged to.

She pulled back to catch her breath and felt like prey under his heavy, hooded stare. He couldn’t stand for his lips not to be on her and the moment is seemed like her breath was back his mouth was on hers.

His scalp tingled as she stroked her fingers through his hair and he wanted to give her the same feeling so he buried his strong hand in her thick hair. When she started grinding into his lap again he matched her rhythm and hummed as his body appreciated the pressure. His fingers slipped under the hem of her shirt and his fingertips ghosted over the skin of her back. She shuddered and broke the kiss but he didn’t let her pull away.

She gulped for air, trying to find the words to ask how far this was going to go, but the train of thought was thrown off the rails when his kisses trailed her chin. He gently tugged her hair, tipping her chin up, and exposed her neck to him so his lips could explore the new skin.

She shivered when his lips passed over a particularly sensitive spot. He paused. She felt him smile against her skin as he went back and kissed it again. She gasped and he continued kissing and sucking at the skin until a small moan escaped her lips.

“Sh-shouto,” she panted. He let her go to give her a smirk. She narrowed her eyes at his mixture of playfulness and regret. “Did you leave a mark?”

“No,” he sighed. “I really wanted to though.”

She bit her lip. “Maybe on a day when you’re not going to give me a tour of your agency and I won’t be meeting all of the people who work for you.”

He pressed his hardness up against her and growled “promise?”

“Absolutely,” she said smiling and gave him a small peck. He pecked her lips and tried to capture her completely again but someone knocked. Loudly. And enthusiastically.

They both froze and Ani grumbled. Shouto smiled at her playful disappointment as she climbed off of him. The knocking continued, if only growing more intense, as he stood and crossed the room. He tried to adjust his pants to hide his erection. “I’m coming, I’m coming!” He called out.

Ani laughed lightly and sat back down on the couch, leaning over the back to see who it was. “Is your girlfriend here?!” A chipper female voice asked the moment Shouto opened the door.

As if he put a stoic mask on, seriousness fell over his features. Shouto calmly responded “she is. Why do you ask Gita?”

The voice squealed. “The rumor was going around that she’s real and she’s here and she’s here today and I was trying to wait and be patient because Dojire said you mentioned you were giving her a tour but you hadn’t started yet and no one but the old frump at security has seen her yet and I just couldn’t wait anymore! GAH! CAN I MEET HER?!”

Shouto glanced at Ani who was blushing but laughing quietly at the enthusiasm. She nodded and stood up from the couch to join him at the door. “Gita, this is my girlfriend, Shida Ani,” Shouto said.

The short woman with the pixie-cut hair, shimmering green and blue hero uniform, gazed at Ani with large, purple eyes.

“EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE” she squealed loudly and her hands shook with excitement. She threw her arms around Ani before Shouto could say anything else. Ani froze for a moment before gently patting the girl’s back without fully hugging her back.

“Ani, this is one of my side-kick heroes, Aves,” Shouto said.

“Eeee! That’s my hero name. My full name is Gita—Gita Hana, but you can call me Hana, after all you’re Shouto’s girl-friend so that makes you a part of the agency and everyone hates it but I think of it as a family—a hero family—and you’re a part of it!” The girl’s words tumbled out as she squeezed her arms around Ani’s neck and Ani felt the girl’s racing pulse.

“Hana? Are you okay?” Ani asked in concern. She’d never felt a pulse like that before. She could barely count the beats it was so fast. “Your heart is racing.”

Hana instantly let go of Ani and stepped back to take her own pulse. “Hmm, I’m feeling fine and my pulse is totally normal,” Hana said with a furrowed brow. She snapped her fingers. “Right! You probably don’t know what my quirk is yet—there are so many heroes it’s impossible to keep all of our quirks straight plus all the sidekick quirks! My quirk basically makes me a human hummingbird even though I don’t have wings which totally sucks and I wish I did because being able to fly would be epic and so useful but I can talk to birds though so that’s really helpful!”

The girl grinned at Ani. Ani felt out of breath on behalf of the girl. “I understand,” Ani said. Her curiosity flared. “Can I...feel your pulse again?”

“Of course!” The girl’s wrist flashed out.

Ani held the girl’s wrist and felt the powerful surging heartbeat. “Wow...that’s incredible. I’ve never felt a pulse like that before.”

“And I’ve never met anyone whose been so fascinated by my pulse before when usually everyone just wants me to demonstrate how I can talk to birds,” she chirped. “What do you do, Shida?”

“I’m a nurse in the emergency room at Dagoben General Hospital.”

Hana gasped an impossibly deep breath. “That’s where Shouto was recovering after saving all those people at the bank!”

Ani and Shouto exchanged a quick glance and a light blush dusted Ani’s cheek. She wasn’t sure what Shouto was comfortable with sharing. “Ani was the nurse who treated me when I came into the ER,” Shouto said. He glanced at Ani again hoping she understood he wasn’t embarrassed about needing treatment. He simply didn’t want to reveal too much of her own quirk without her consent.

“REALLY?!” Hana squealed, not needing anything else. Ani was relieved the girl wasn’t a detail-oriented gossip factory. “That’s so ROMANTIC!”

“I guess so...” Ani answered though it sounded more like a question. Hana was clapping and twirling in a circle with romantic visions in her brain. Ani slowly smiled, appreciating the girl’s enthusiasm.

“SO, are you going to go on a tour soon?!” Hana asked, eyes shining at Ani when she finally stopped spinning. Ani looked to Shouto.

“We’re just finishing lunch now,” he explained. “We’ll be coming around soon.”

“Okay!” Hana said happily. She held her hands behind her back and skipped away to the stairs, saying over her shoulder “I can’t wait to see you again Shida! It was nice meeting you and I can’t wait for you to get to my floor because I want to show you my desk so make sure you stop by again okay!”

The door swung shut but Ani imagined a stream of babbling would still be going. Shouto exhaled a heavy puff. “She’s a bundle of energy.”

“Yeah,” Ani said with a fond smile toward the stairs. "I like her, though.”

“She’s a solid hero. Hard working, inventive in how she uses her quirks. Completely pure of heart, too. No way she can’t be, her dialogue would give her away in a heartbeat.”

“A hummingbird heartbeat,” Ani said with a light laugh and Shouto smirked.

“Exactly.” His eyes fell on her and she felt like prey for a moment again until he reigned it in. “So, a tour?”

Ani glanced longingly at the couch.

“We can continue this tonight,” Shouto quietly suggested, unable to meet her eyes as he crossed his arms. Heat warmed between her legs and her heart bloomed with anticipation.

“I would like that very much,” she responded and looked at him from under her eyelashes. He cleared his throat and had to walk away or he would pin her against the door and not leave for the rest of the day. Ani followed him back to the coffee table and helped clean up.

Chapter 15: Working

Chapter Text

Todoroki showed Ani through the whole building. They met the other few heroes on duty and made sure to stop by Aves’s desk. Ani met the business staff, the people who managed the accounting, human resources, and coordinated orders for gear and hero uniforms. He took her through the extensive gym facilities—complete with an on-staff personal trainer—open 24/7. Ani whistled at the indoor swimming pool and her mouth dropped when she caught sight of the sauna.

“This is amazing,” she said. “You take really good care of your heroes.”

“Thank you,” Shouto said as he folded his hands behind his back. “They put their lives on the line...the least I can do is take care of them before and after that moment comes.”

Ani fell quiet, lost in thought.

Shouto scanned her features in concern. “What is it?”

Ani tapped her lips, trying to find the words. “I was thinking...about that after-care. Have you considered creating an in-house clinic?”

“Like a doctor’s office?”

“Something like that.” Ani nodded. “A place for treating minor injuries with medicine and supplies that are targeted for their quirks. There have been so many times in the ER when we were limited in how we could treat a patient because of their quirk. But if you have someone in the building who understands the intricacies of their quirks...they could receive the most effective treatment for healing.”

Shouto brought a hand to his chin while he considered what she was suggesting. “How much does a doctor earn salary wise?” He asked. “I’m worried how the expense of a salary alone would drain resources from other services.”

Ani liked that he was taking her suggestion seriously. “It depends on the doctor’s degree. They do make six figures on average, but you wouldn’t have to hire a full doctor.”

“I wouldn’t?”

Ani shook her head. “You could hire a nurse practitioner. They’re able to write prescriptions, or der and interpret lab results, make diagnosis. They would be a great option because they’re very common in family primary care, a traditional doctor’s office. They can handle most minor injuries and know when a more intense level of treatment is required and the patient needs to go to a hospital. But since they’re not a full M-D they aren’t paid nearly the same amount.”

Shouto listened as she presented all the information with an air of enthusiasm. “You sound like you really root for the nurse practitioners...”

Ani blushed guiltily with a light laugh. “Yeah, sorry...I get a little defensive about it because I’m a licensed nurse practitioner and I want to make sure people know the difference.”

“You’re a nurse practitioner?” He asked, brow raised in surprise. “But you’re in the ER, not a doctor’s office.”

“Well, we don’t have to be in a doctor’s office. We have the option. I chose to be in the ER because I get to directly help some of the most critically injured patients. I feel like I can be the most useful in that position even if I’m not performing tasks up to my highest licensed abilities.”

“Wow,” he said. His eyes were gentle as they held hers.

“What?” She asked, unable to prevent the rush of heat to her face.

“Your personal philosophy...You could be taking a higher profile, more celebrated job but instead you choose to be where you can help people the most. You’re very humble about it...”

Ani smiled. “Thanks.” She stood up on her toes to kiss him and he met her lips. It was soft, tender and full of reverence for the other. Shouto caressed her face and she pressed her cheek into his hand, breaking the kiss to look into his eyes.

“Thank you for showing me around your agency,” she said. “It’s more amazing than you described.”

“It was my pleasure.” He lightly stroked her cheek. “You’re welcome back anytime.”

“Do you need to get back to work?” She asked and he nodded.

“It would be good. I don’t want to be here late...”

Ani cocked an eyebrow at him. “Yeah? Somewhere else you’d rather be?”

His hand slid around to the back of her head and he played with the base of her hairline making her shiver. He gave her a dark, crooked smile. “I can think of a few places.” He drew her in with a hand on the small of her back and kissed her, deepening it when he slipped his tongue between her lips. She whimpered and he held her tighter.

“Shouto,” she whined, pulling away slightly. “Get back to work...we can continue this later. My place?”

He pursed his lips for a moment; he let her into this part of his world...it felt like the right time to let her into the rest of it. “How about mine this time?”

Ani’s eyes widened. “Really? I-I won’t be intruding?"

“Not at all,” he said. “That is...if you want to come over.”

“Of course!” Ani answered quickly. Her enthusiasm made him smile.

“Great.” He gave her a quick peck. “I’ll pick you up on my way home from work.”

“That sounds perfect,” she said looking up with bright eyes.

“Come on,” he said taking her hand. “I need to finish working. And you’re too distracting to keep here.”

Ani’s heart bubbled—she took that as a compliment. “Okay.”

He walked her to the door and though he was tempted to kiss her good-bye again he was worried he would pull her in and get too wrapped up again. He didn’t want to make anyone uncomfortable. Besides, he would have her alone again tonight. His pants tightened as she turned her backside to him, walking out the door to leave. A breeze caught her as she stepped outside and pulled her clothes tight against her for a moment, revealing her figure.

He was glad he had a private bathroom.

~

Bakugo sat with his feet on his desk. A scowly pout plastered on his face due to the fact that he promised that surgeon he would go to this judiciary hearing or whatever. Well, he said he’d try. Pff. As if he would...As if he would what? Not help someone who saved his life?

He still didn’t believe it. That the twerp who was passed out in his room all night healed him. She snored. Loudly. And talked in her sleep. He thought of how she snuggled the blanket up to her chin. The way she slept through every nurse and doctor coming in. He was glad they all seemed annoyed at her presence. She was annoying to him. Mumbling about heroes...probably dreaming...about some extra when she should have been taking care of him. He remembered how the sunlight bloomed in her soft, blonde hair making it almost glow. How her soft lips parted with deep breaths...

Without realizing, he was angrily rocking himself back and forth in his chair. Shitty extra. Blegh. Who was she to get in his head like that?!
And her comment about his ranking!
Bah! Fuck her. Fuck that hospital. Fuck that...that life saving treatment.

He stormed out of his chair, slammed his hands in his pockets, and stomped out of the office to clear his mind.

~

Ani paced her bedroom as her mind raced with anticipation for that night. She was already dressed: her skinny but comfortable jeans, and a cute, flowy top. Most importantly she was wearing her favorite black lace bra and matching lace underwear. Not that she expected Shouto to see them. No, it was because they made her feel comfortable in her own skin and sexy if only she knew she had them on. Okay...maybe she was hoping Shouto would end up seeing them.

She flopped down on her bed and huffed. Her eyes fluttered closed as she remembered their kiss on the couch. A phone call shattered the silence and she grumbled at being interrupted. She dragged herself out of bed and grabbed the phone on it’s last ring.

“Hello?” She asked, gut sinking when she noticed it was a call from within the hospital.

Ms. Shida?” It was Hina, the director’s secretary.

“Y-yes. Hello Ms. Hina. How are you today?”

I’m fine, thank you. I’m calling to inform you that your judiciary hearing will be this Thursday at 11:00am.

“Okay, this Thursday, 11:00am,” Ani said as she wrote the information down. “Where do I need to go?”

The hearing will be held in the executive boardroom on the 9th floor.

“Thank you,” Ani said quietly. She didn’t know how to feel about it happening in one of her favorite places.

Please be on time,” Hina added in a cutting tone and hung up before Ani could retort. She gripped her phone and gritted her teeth before sending a text to Shouto:

 

Just found out—my judiciary hearing is on Thursday, 11am.

 

His response came a moment later. I’m here for you, for whatever you need

 

Ani smiled, appreciating his unsmothering support. Thanks <3

 

She sighed and flumped down onto her couch with the relieving knowledge that she would get to see him again soon. Her phone beeped again and she opened the text, expecting Shouto, but instead it was from Glace. Ani smiled as her friend and coworker asked if it was true—was she dating Todoroki?! She barely sent out her response before Doto’s text came in rapid fire.

Ani had to laugh out loud at how clearly their differences showed over texts. The two women asked about Ani’s absence, too, and expressed their disappointment she wouldn’t be in for a while. They started asking questions about what was going on and she didn’t know what to say. She set the phone face down, unable to answer.

~

Dabi tossed the scarred man into the pale pool of moonlight. He moaned on the ground, limbs bound, as dust motes swirled in the air. “Took you a long time to get out of there,” Dabi drawled lazily. “I hope that means you were able to find the answers we’re looking for.”

“I-I don’t know what you expected to happen,” the man blubbered. “They’re not going to waste an OP healer on a nobody like me.”

Dabi kicked his side and the man coughed violently. Twice clicked his tongue. “We didn’t think they would have used it on a quirkless fool like you,” he said as he squatted down closer to the man’s face. “Though...that doesn’t mean that your life is worthless.”

Dabi rolled his eyes, hands starting to glow with impatient flames. “A name. We expected you to get us a name,” Dabi noted and kicked him again.

Twice grabbed the man’s hair when he groaned and roughly yanked his face up. “Fuck you,” the man sobbed.

“Why protect them when they didn’t heal the injuries you had?” Twice punched his gut. “No one will ever love this ugly mug now. Your pretty face had been the only thing to offer someone and now you don’t even have that. They denied you your future.”

Tears formed in the man’s eyes at the villain’s words. “I-I don’t know. They kept saying there wasn’t anyone there with a healing quirk!” He thrashed against his bonds. “They said no one there could do that!”

Twice stood up with a sigh of disappointment. “I’m sorry you failed to do what we asked...all we wanted was a name. That wasn’t so hard to get.” He looked around the abandoned warehouse. “What do you think Dabi, should we just leave him here to die?”

“Nah,” Dabi said with a gleam in his eye and flame in his open hand. “I feel like setting something on fire.”

Only a few moments later there was nothing left but a pile of smoldering ashes at their feet. The man didn’t even have time to scream. “Eeeiiihhh,” Twice moaned. “That guy was such a fucking let down. Second time, too. What do we do now?!” He cracked his neck and answered his own question. “Time to find someone else.”

Toga skipped in from the shadows outside. “I volunteer as tribute!” She shouted with a major giggle. “I just got some new blood I want to try out.”

“You’re supposed to be keeping watch!” Dabi snarled.

Toga stuck her tongue out at him. “There’s no proof we’re doing anything wrong anymore,” she said with a glance at the pile of ashes blowing away like dust.

“Fine,” Dabi relented with a wave. “But be discrete. It’s not a fuckin’ sorority social.”

Toga jumped and clapped. “Finally! Two failed losers and you finally see! Third time will be the charm like they say! Oh I’m so excited and I can’t wait to find this girl—or guy—they’re probably so cute!!”

Twice rubbed his forehead. “Please just get out of here already. Your incessant babbling is driving me nuts—and that’s really saying something.”

Chapter 16: A Good Ride

Notes:

The NSFW has arrived. Thanks for hangin' in there B-)

Chapter Text

Ani sat on her balcony reading and enjoying the cool evening breeze. The texts from Doto and Glace had finally ceased after their shift started. The sound of a motorcycle zooming down the street made her look up from her book but she paid the driver no attention, instead turning her face to the light wind and closed her eyes.

There were still a few minutes left until Shouto would arrive and pick her up but she was ready to go. She was keeping an eye out for him on the road and planned on grabbing her purse on the way out to meet him in the parking lot. She didn’t want him to have to risk facing any attention he didn’t want. Before she could open her book again someone knocked.

Her head popped up in surprise and she quickly went inside, closing the sliding glass door behind her. “Coming!” She shouted. Her feet padded across the floor and she opened the door expecting a neighbor. “Shouto!” She said with happy surprise. “I didn’t see you pull in!” That’s when she noticed the motorcycle helmets in his hands.

He saw what drew her attention. “The weather is so nice tonight I thought we might enjoy a ride on my bike to my apartment.”

A smile slowly spread across Ani’s features with the realization of how close she would get to sit to him. “That sounds amazing,” she said with a gleam in her eye.

He grinned in relief and excitement and she stepped aside to let him in. Once inside he put one of the helmets on her, testing the fit. “It smells like a new car in here,” Ani noted.

“That’s good,” Shouto said as he checked a few things. “I just bought it for you.”

Ani looked up at his face. “F-for me? Why?”

“I’ve never wanted someone to ride with me before so I didn’t have an extra helmet. I got this tonight thinking of you.”

Ani blushed and smiled. She thought the helmet hid most of her giddy expression but the smile was so big it crinkled her eyes and gave her away.

“How does it feel?” He asked trying not to smile.

“Good,” she said with a knock on the side of it. “Perfect fit.”

“Good,” he said. He took a step back for a moment and his eyes roamed up and down her figure.

“What?” she asked, feeling self-conscious.

One of his eyebrows cocked. “That helmet looks really good on you.

Ani’s eyes widened and her cheeks burned again. “Thanks,” she said. After a moment she reached up to kiss his cheek jokingly pressing the helmet into the side of his face.

He smirked and lifted the helmet off of her head. His eyes began to churn hungrily for her as he ran his fingers through her hair and slid them down to her waist. He pulled her in and their lips snapped together in a kiss like magnets. Ani’s body melted under his touch and ached with anticipation for the bike ride. He struggled to contain his own anticipation.

“Ready to head out?” He asked. His thumb slipped under the hem of her shirt as he rubbed the skin of her waist. She smiled and nodded her head shyly, wondering what his hands would feel like on the rest of her skin. She grabbed her purse and locked her apartment with a coil of excitement tightening in her abdomen. He offered her his hand and they walked down to the parking lot fingers entwined. Ani’s heart skipped a beat at the sight of the bike. It was sleek. Sexy. She heard bikes like this called crotch rockets and the motorcycle looked powerful enough to be a rocket. Shouto climbed onto the bike and put his helmet on.

Ani paused to take in the moment.

Her kind, strong, thoughtful, lust-inducing boyfriend in jeans, a leather sports jacket, and helmet mounted on a ferocious looking bike. She pulled her helmet on, eager to join him. To press herself against him. He motioned her closer and made sure the helmet was secure before telling her where and how to safely sit.

Her body shivered as she slid behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist. He relished the new feeling. The pressure of her body up against his was warm and he knew without a doubt the bike was a good choice.

The bike purred to life beneath them and Ani jumped in surprise, squeezing him in the process. He glanced over his shoulder. Seeing his eyes, a wave of security washed over her and she nodded, telling him she was okay. She held onto him tightly, adrenaline surging over the hormones for the moment as he flipped the kickstand up and pulled out. She gradually relaxed as they began driving through the city. Her arms stayed wrapped around him and he felt the shift in her grip from worry to enjoyment. He could hear her squeal in delight when he would accelerate.

Her presence added weight and changed how he had to drive but it was a welcome change. He found himself smiling as he chose a circuitous path and more adventurous routes to his home on the opposite side of city just to feel her reaction.

Shouto pulled the bike into an underground parking garage and showed his ID to security. Ani had to present hers, too, before they went in and parked. He balanced the bike to let her get off first and she pulled her helmet off, hastily fixing her hair, as he got off, too.

“How was it?” he asked, offering her his hand. She took it and he began to lead her to the elevators.

“It was amazing!” She said with a huge smile. She didn’t want to admit that a big part of it was getting to hold him like that.

The corner of his mouth tipped up, pleased. “I’m glad.”

They quietly rode the elevators up to an open, inviting lobby, where another security gate was stationed. The guard nodded to Shouto, not needing to see ID, and let them through. Shouto took her up into another elevator and she felt her stomach flutter with nerves. The pristine, crisp décor and condition of the building was intimidating. He led her off the elevator to one of the two doors in the short hall; the other was marked stairs. Oh...so his apartment was the whole floor. Ani tried to stay cool.

“This is it,” he murmured and opened the door, welcoming her inside.

Ani’s mouth dropped open as she stepped into the open, nearly cavernous apartment. Sleek stainless-steel appliances and dark wood cabinets lined the kitchen under white granite countertops. A large television hung over an instant-lite gas fireplace in front of a sitting area that felt like the one in his office.

“Wow,” Ani breathed as she caught the view of the sparkling skyline. Her eyes roamed the clean and minimalist furnishings. “You have a beautiful home.”

“Thank you,” he said. Her apartment had always felt comfortable, like home, right from the start and he was worried his would feel too stark. Too unwelcoming. “I want you to feel comfortable here...can I show you around?”

Ani nodded, curious how much there was to show. Luckily, there wasn’t anything too extravagant and it made sense. Shouto wasn’t a flashy person and his two-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment reflected him. Both rooms had a balance of traditional and modern furnishings but one of them, and it’s en suite bathroom, was much larger.

“Is this your room?” She asked as she followed him in. Her eyes scanned the immaculately clean room and it almost looked like no one lived there.

“It is,” he smirked guiltily. “I may have gone overboard in straightening up before you came over.”

She harrumphed with a sigh. “That’s not fair.”

“Why not?” He laughed lightly.

“My house was a disaster the first time you came over compared to this,” she grumbled playfully narrowing her eyes at him. “I wanted to see the way you really are, too.”

“I didn’t think your place was that messy...” a light blush tinted his cheeks. “Though I didn’t really notice anything else that night...”

“Anything else beside what?” She asked, quirking an eyebrow at him.

“You,” he coughed quietly into his hand.

Color rose to her cheeks and heat began to coil between her legs again. She became painfully aware of his bed only a few feet away from them.

“So,” he cleared his throat as if he were thinking the same thing. “I was planning on a simple baked chicken and vegetable dish for dinner tonight. Does that sound good?”

She followed him out to the kitchen. “Yes.”

 

Ani wanted to help him cook but she knew it was better to let him handle it. And she had no problem leaning against the counter watching him work as they listened to soft music. She oogled every muscle of his body as he flew around the kitchen. God she was getting so horny. His sleeves were rolled up to his elbow revealing every vascular movement and his hands—hands that were so strong and deadly—were a sight to watch. She wanted him. Wanted those hands on her.

Bad.

She turned away before he could see the flush of heat creeping up her neck. “There,” he said as he slid the tray of chicken and vegetables into the oven. “We’ve got a bit of time until dinner is ready. Would you like some tea?

She nodded, unable to meet his eye, with the need to keep her hands busy and followed him to the couches where he set a kettle and cups. She sat unsure of what to do with her hands until the tea was ready and he sat down next to her. She looked anywhere but at him. “Ani, is everything alright?” He asked with a hundred worries flying through his own mind.

She bit her lip, not wanting to make him uncomfortable.

“You can tell me,” he said quietly. “Whatever it is, I’ll listen without judgement.” He raised a hand to her cheek and she thought she was going to hyperventilate.

“I...I want you,” she murmured too quiet for him to hear.

“What?” He asked, encouraging her to look at him. Her cheeks blazed and her mind clouded with a ferocious lust as her eyes met his.

She leaned toward him, unable to resist anymore, and kissed him tentatively. Understanding hit him and he immediately responded by pulling her into his lap. It was like their kiss from his office but deeper, unrestrained, because there would be no interruptions now. She wasted no time in slipping her tongue in his mouth and her fingers in his hair. He put a hand on her lower back to hold her in place and ground up into her clothed, aching body. She tilted her head back and moaned—loudly—before catching herself with a hand over her mouth. He reached for her hand.

“I’ve been thinking about you all day,” he growled and buried his head against her neck. His hot breath ghosted over her skin sending a shiver down her spine. “Let me hear you.”

He attached to her neck with a sucking kiss and she moaned again. He went right to the spot he discovered in his office. He was relentless, too, and Ani could feel him making a mark but she felt incapable of stopping him. Her back began to arch and she felt a thin line of moisture trail down her neck from his work. She knew he was marking her—like they both said they wanted—but she was surprised at his eagerness.

Shouto gave himself over to the possessiveness that had been flaring since he met her. She was squirming in his arms, being swept away from a hickey, and couldn’t help the heavy breaths that turned into moans. His erection was rock hard underneath her now and she was rubbing against him, chasing an intoxicating friction.

“Touch me,” she murmured.

Shouto paused, pulling away from her neck to look at her but she covered her face again. She tried to keep her face covered but he was too strong and pulled her wrists apart with a pressure that only made her wetter. “I-I’m sorry.” She began talking quickly as a light brush dusted her face. “I don’t want to pressure you or make you feel uncomfortable or think that I’m rushing you or anything. You’re so attractive and kind and sexy and thoughtful and I can’t stop—” oh God why was she word vomiting now “—thinking about you and—”

“Ani,” he said gently pulling her back to reality. “I’ll never do anything I don’t want to do.”

He held her gaze as he released her wrists to trace her sides.

“I want to know what you want,” he said with a lustful timber in his voice.

He unbuttoned her pants.

“I want you to ask for what you want and need,” he slid her zipper down. “So I can take care of you.”

He held her with one hand while his other sank into her pants.

“I want to be the only one who can do this to you,” he murmured. His cock throbbed as he felt her wetness through her underwear and he stifled a groan to keep the focus on her. He was enjoying watching her melt in his hands from each word and touch. He slipped his fingers past her underwear and teased the wet, silky folds without entering. She gasped for breath with each stroke of his touch and moaned deeply as he slipped a finger inside of her.

“I want to be the only one who can make you feel this good.”

He shifted the palm of his hand to press her clitoris as he curled his finger and she cried out as the orgasm crashed over her in waves of shock. He was pumping his finger now, rolling into each wave of pleasure she felt as she drenched his hand. Her chest was heaving, a glisten of sweat at her hairline. Cheeks flushed to their rosy fullest. Her fingers pulled at his shoulders to keep grounded.

The moaning, writhing mess in his lap was a vision to him and he was overcome with a powerful greed. Before she could come down from the high, he pushed another finger into her with vigorous thrusts and she was soon clenching down around his digits a second time. Tears formed at the corner of her eyes with the force of the second climax and he forced his greed back, not wanting to overdo it the first time he touched her. He left his fingers inside of her unmoving, keeping his own urges at bay, until he felt her body still.

She slowly brought her eyes back to his and her hooded, relaxed gaze filled him with pride. “Thank you,” she said quietly and gave him a light kiss. “I think I should use the bathroom.”

He slid his hand out of her pants and said “me, too.”

She climbed off his lap and, before she could feel any embarrassment, he was standing next to her with an arm wrapped around her waist. “Use my bathroom,” he said kissing her hair.

“But the—”

“I want you to. And I’ll use the guest bathroom,” he said, gently urging her toward his bedroom. He wanted her to get so used to using it she would forget there was another option.

She timidly went in and closed the door behind herself. Her body was electrified and she took a few moments to bask in the afterglow. And then she realized. He didn’t get to finish! She began cleaning herself up as quickly as she could so she could get back to him.

 

Once Shouto heard the bathroom door click shut he went to the spare bathroom and knew he was going to have to rub one out—and quickly. He pulled his cock out and glanced at his wet hand in curiosity. He took an experimental whiff and his erection throbbed. Before he could think about what he was doing his finger was in his mouth, coating his tongue with her taste as he slid his finger out.

He came instantly.

Somehow, he grabbed the hand-towel just in time and caught the hot, full load with a groan as he leaned against the bathroom counter. His chest heaved with the release and he felt a dark craving from deep in himself.

He wanted more.

He cleaned himself up as much as possible, trying to regain his composure, and was washing his hands as the oven timer went off.

 

As Ani was washing her hands, she heard the oven timer ring and she chided herself. The moment to take care of Shouto was gone. How could she have been so selfish?! He was taking the food out of the oven when she came back in and he smiled warmly at her. She didn’t see any indication of irritation or annoyance or resentment. She tried to relax. It wasn’t hard to do with the smell of his delicious cooking wafting around her.

“What can I do to help?” She asked. Under his direction of where things were, she set the table and they soon sat together eating happily. Shouto shared the positive, kind things the people in his office said after she left. She expressed how much fun she had and how much she enjoyed the visit.

When they finished, Ani insisted she clean up since he cooked and he helped, unable to sit idly by. She was desperately searching for words to offer a chance for him to finish without making it awkward but she was panicking with worry that the night was ending.

As Shouto started the diswasher he brushed off his hands and asked Ani “was there a particular time you wanted to get home?”

She shook her head and her eyes fell. He came around the corner of the counter, unable to stand idly by while something dimmed her expression. He tilted her chin up and she knew what he wanted...she mustered up the courage. “What if...” she steadied her voice. “What if I didn’t want to go home tonight?”

Shouto’s eyes widened fractionally. A light blush dusted his cheeks. He didn’t want to make assumptions about what was happening or what she was asking but goddamn if his pants didn’t get tight. Her eyelashes fluttered as she realized how it sounded. “I-I just meant that I wanted to sleep over not sleep over,” she cringed. “I-I mean n-not that I don’t want to sleep with you. I just don’t want you to think that I—That I'm trying to—” her face was flushing deeper and deeper as she babbled on and he was enjoying the flustered sight. “Omigosh, I mean I totally would but—agh!--I’m not the type to—”

He mercifully silenced her with a kiss.

He wrapped his arms around her and she relaxed in his embrace. He loved the effect he had on her. He broke the kiss to whisper “I would love to have you stay over.”

Before she could respond he was kissing her again. She pressed her lips back to his and felt his flex. She parted her lips in response to his and his tongue hungrily dove into her warm, moist mouth. She threw her shoulders over his arms and he lifted her onto the counter. Their open-mouthed, tongue-wrestling kiss intensified as she spread her legs and he wedged himself between them. He was already fully aroused and the feeling of his erection against her bundle of nerves made her pull out of their kiss to gasp for air. He used the freedom to attack her jaw and tease her ear.

He was grinding into her greedily now, chasing the mewls rolling out of her. Her hands slid down his solid chest, over his abs, and palmed him over his pants. His hips bucked involuntarily against the sudden pressure and he pulled back to see her expression. He cocked an eyebrow quizzically.

“I want to touch you,” she said. There was a faint echo of a beg in her voice.

“You don’t have to do anything...” he watched her expression carefully for any sign of feeling pressured.

She smirked at him. “I’ll never do anything I don’t want to do.”

The corner of his mouth lifted coyly at his own words given back to him. “Are you doing this just to reciprocate?”

“Well, I do feel a little guilty...” She palmed him again. “But I would be lying if I said I didn’t want to touch you.” Any remainder of concern or indecision dissolved from Shouto’s mind and pulled back only far enough to unzip his pants and let his erection spring free. He watched her eye his manhood. He never cared enough to find out how his size and girth compared to others so he wasn’t sure why she looked so hypnotized just by the sight of his dick.

Unaware, she bit her lips. He took her mouth with his in a feverish kiss. She wrapped her hand around him, the sudden warm grip made him groan into her mouth. She wanted to sense his reaction to everything she did, to know his body better than anyone else and be the only one to make him feel so good. So she went slowly at first.

She began to move her hand up and down his shaft, feeling every vein and muscle. His meaty flesh twitched and she brushed the soft pad of her thumb over the tip of his penis. Drops of precum slid around over the sensitive head and felt like silk to her touch. He moaned.

She started to pump him feeling his body react to a firmer grip. She pumped him faster with the firmer grip as she elicited more and more lustful sounds from him that made wetness pool between her legs. She was squeezing him now, making each movement of her hand faster and harder until he had to brace himself on the counter caging her in. His breathing became ragged and she knew he was close as his hips thrusted into her hand.

“I-I’m-” he grunted and she brushed her thumb over the tip again. A deep groan reverberated from the depth of his body as his cock spasmed. Thick ropes of cum shot out at a powerful speed, coating Ani's shirt. She didn’t flinch and kept pumping, gently milking him through his orgasm. She watched with her mouth parted in awe at the volume of his sticky cum. “Wow,” she whispered, unable to restrain her surprise. Shouto was surprised, too. He didn’t expect such a large load after finishing not so long ago. He grimaced in embarrassment at what he’d done to her shirt.

A dark part of his mind wanted to see it on her skin instead. He shuddered. “I’m sorry about your shirt. Let’s get that in the wash so it won‘t get ruined.”

She bit her lip. “Can I borrow a shirt?” She looked up at him from under her lashes. “I only brought a toothbrush for tonight.”

Chapter 17: Can't Avoid It

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Shouto took off his helmet to give Ani a light kiss goodbye. She waved as he pulled out of her parking lot and she turned on her heel once he was out of sight. She spent the night with the pro hero and though they didn’t do anything other than kiss after their moment on the counter it was incredible. She slept in his arms most of the night, fitting like a puzzle against him, in the sea of his large mattress. It was considerably more comfortable than sleeping squished together on her small couch. As she let herself into her apartment she remembered that the next day would be her judiciary hearing.

She sighed and resolved herself to go to the library. She wanted to review anything related to medical laws that might influence the committee’s opinion. She wanted to prep her own defense, too. It wasn’t long until she was settled into a corner of the library and got down to work. She didn’t stop reading and taking notes until the early afternoon. Her phone dinged with a text message. It was Shouto; he was on the other side of the city for meetings the whole day and needed to fit in physical training so she already knew she wouldn’t get to see him that night.

Hi beautiful...how’s your day going?

She leaned back with a smile and sent her response. It’s fine thanks...I decided to do some research to prepare for my hearing tomorrow.

 

Research?

 

Just reviewing some medical law, quirk treatment regulations and stuff. Starting to feel nervous and wanted to do something to prepare

 

She stretched as her eyes scanned the piles of documents she had on the table and she weighed the options of what to read next. Until her stomach grumbled.

Reluctantly, she began returning materials to their places after she wrote down the names of articles and books to come back and read after lunch. Bright sunshine greeted her and a light breeze tossed her hair as she stepped out onto the sidewalk.

There were a few people here and there as she walked along and she heard the giggling of young girls behind her. There were three of them huddled together all dressed in high school uniforms, wrapped up in their conversation as they began to catch up to Ani. Something about their whisperings made Ani uneasy. She picked up her own pace. She rounded the corner and the girls were only steps away about to invade Ani’s personal space when she saw the door of a café.

Ani dashed inside and watched in relief as the three girls kept walking, undisturbed in their afternoon. Ani chided herself. She didn’t know where she was got that paranoid feeling. Smells of warm coffee and baked goods wafted around her and reminded her how hungry she was.

She sat in the quiet café appreciating the chance discovery; their coffee was full-flavored and fresh buns weren’t too sweet. Without realizing, she was watching people on the street.

Ani began to think it was time to head back to the library. She was feeling more and more anxious as time passed. More people passed along the streets now making it seem later in the day. The moment she stepped out of the café someone shouted “Miss! Miss!”

Her head spun, looking for who was shouting at whom and her stomach flipped as a man ran up to her with a microphone. A camera-person wasn’t far behind. She glanced around once more but everyone else was only staring at her. “Miss! Is it true?! Are you Todoroki Shoto’s girlfriend?!”

Whispers traveled through the crowd.

“Y-yes,” she answered quietly, dreading their reactions. Whispers bloomed to murmurs as the cameraman stepped to the side so they had a clear shot of Ani’s face.

“There you have it folks! We’ve found Shoto’s girlfriend coming out of a café in the Fog district of Dagoben City! What are you doing here Miss? What’s your name?”

The crowd seemed to lean in, fully entranced waiting for her answers as their days halted in place. Ani’s face blushed and she tucked a loose lock of hair behind her ear. “That’s private,” she said, stepping away from the reporter. She moved quickly through the crowd that parted for her as the man continued chasing her with questions.

“Miss! Do you come here often? Do you live around here? What’s your favorite thing to order here? How did you and Todoroki meet??”

She was walking brusquely now, eyes down on the ground, and rushed back into the library with a heaving sigh when the man didn’t follow her inside.

Still keeping her eyes on the ground she slipped through the massive shelves, unaware of everyone else. Sweat shined on her forehead once she finally sat down. She could still feel the prickle of dried sweat on her skin when she finished working.
6:38pm
What happened to her day?! She hadn’t meant to work this long but it wasn’t so bad. She had several pages of notes to help her through tomorrow. Librarians were beginning to clean and close wings of the library. “I’ll take those for you dear,” an older woman offered, taking the stack of materials from Ani. “I was just coming to tell you the library closes at seven p.m. Did you find everything you need?”

Ani nodded. “Yes, Thank you.”

The old woman smiled. “Of course, have a good night and be safe getting home.”

Ani gave her another quiet thanks and slipped away. She shivered in the low evening light as she stepped out into a cold, breezy night. Her phone dinged. She smiled, opening the message from Shoto as she started walking.

S: How’s the research going?

A: Just finished for tonight. Are you finally done with meetings?

S: Yes, I just finished—heading to the gym now. When and where is your hearing tomorrow?

Ani scrunched her nose. Why do you ask?

S: I want to come. I want to be there for you

A: Sho, you don’t have to do that

S: I want to.

 

Knowing he could, and would, text Aino and get the information if she insisted it wasn’t necessary, she sent it to him.

 

S: Thank you. Are you home now?

A: Not yet. Someone distracted me 😉

S: Well, let me know when you get home

A: Okay. Do your best at the gym!

She dimmed her phone and looked up for the first time in a few blocks. Shit. She had walked in the opposite direction from the train station. Fuck. The train was going to be there any minute, too! She made a snap decision to cut through the park to shave off enough time to hopefully catch the train before it left. The park lamps were beginning to turn on in the quickly darkening evening.
Ani shivered.
Not many people were in the park and she stuck to the larger, more central path. There was a vulnerability to the air she couldn't place. She kept her eyesight sharp, trying not to look uncomfortable as a few girls walked by in a rush. Their quiet conversation faded quickly and Ani was alone again.

She was halfway through the park now. She couldn’t see the station yet but she heard a few people talking; it must have been close. Two more girls came down around the path. They were walking slowly, deep in conversation. Ani tried to walk around them but they side-stepped, trying to avoid her, and bumped into Ani. She smiled at them with a lighthearted reaction to the mistake.

Their dark eyes widened at her. “Oh my gooooshhhhh,” one of them drawled dramatically to the other. “It’s Shoto’s ggiirrllffrriieenndd.” They exchanged a dark glance.

“Oh wow,” the second said. “I can’t believe it. What an honor simply to be in her presence.”

Ani stepped around them, trying to keep her feelings in check. She didn’t want to cause any public image scandals for Shoto.

“What’s wrong?" The second one called after her. “We’re noot good enough for you to acknowledge us?”

“Of course we’re not,” a new female voice called. “We’re not worthy enough even to get to know her name.”

Ani’s neck bristled as two, three more girls appeared down the path: the three girls she saw before the café.

“No one’s good enough to know that apparently,” she said. “Are we sure she’s Shoto’s girlfriend?”

“Hmm,” one of the other said. “I don’t know. She’s not nearly pretty enough to be his girlfriend.”

They all started closing in around her from all sides. They blocked her as she tried stepping away and continued jeering at her, making various kinds of comments about her appearance, intelligence, loyalty, morality.

Ani didn’t consider herself a confrontational person.
It’s why she chose to get into nursing instead of hero-work. She had more than one teacher try to convince her to purse the side-kick path. She was well equipped with her regeneration and was morally predisposed. It came down to fighting. She didn't like it. Didn't want to do it.

It made moments like this one particularly difficult to navigate. “Ladies,” Ani said without a warble in her voice. “There are better places for you to be right now.”

“Tch,” one of them sneered. “We’ll show you where your place should be right now.”

A hand yanked Ani’s hair back and another slapped her across the face. She cussed at the searing pain in her scalp, at the whole situation. “Such a foul mouth! Hope you don’t plan on kissing our hero with that mouth,” the very first girl who bumped into her said, as she grabbed Ani’s arm. Spines, like electrified needles embedded themselves in the flesh of Ani’s forearm and she clenched her jaw, refusing to scream as fiery lightning electrified her nerves.

They all let go of her and stepped back as a pair of heavy steps quickly approached. Ani sank to her knee, woozy. “OI!” A loud male voice thundered. “THE HELL YOU BRATS THINK YOU’RE DOING?!”

“Run!” one of the girls screamed. They split off, quickly dispersing into the dark night but not without kicking Ani in the back, slamming her to the ground. Her nose hit the cement with a sickening crack.

“YEAH, THAT’S RIGHT TWERPS. YOU BETTER RUN!” The steps came right next to Ani and a pair of hands like spades gently rolled her over. Ani’s eyes were rolling, unable to focus on the familiar yet disembodied voice. “Oh, shit,” the voice said as his surprisingly tender touch cleared the hair from her bloody face. She could feel her thick, dark blood oozing how and imagined how horrifying the sight must be.

“Oh, shit,” the voice said again.

“Hey,” he said with a gentle shake on her shoulder. “Hey nurse!”

How did he know she was a nurse? She tried to answer but her tongue was like melted wax in her mouth. A tear slipped out as the electricity continued to fry her nerves. She whimpered As she reached clumsily toward the arm with spikes but the lightning soon reached that arm, too, and it fell limp across her body. The rescuer saw what she was reaching for and pinched a spike to extract it but recoiled, strung. He sucked the tips of his fingers. “Fuck that hurts,” he growled.

The fire was starting to worm into a deeper layer of her muscle tissue, causing her body to being spasming.
The voice cursed again.
“This is Bakugo—Ground Zero—I need an ambulance to Ringmar park in the Fog district of Dagoben!”

Ani’s mind registered his words: Ground Zero. Here. His words began to garble in and out. Her attention, the ability to focus on what he was saying was diminishing as her body diverted all of it’s resources and functioning to prevent the electricity-like fire from reaching her vital organs.

 

Bakugo’s eyes widened in fear as the young woman’s eyelids fluttered closed. He cursed again for the umpteenth time.His hands fidgeted in concern, wanting to move her closer to the road for the ambulance but not wanting to cause her anymore pain. “Nurse! NURSE!” Damnit, why couldn’t he remember her name! Then it struck him. The doctor hand’t told him her name, and he hadn’t asked but he remembered they were siblings!

“Shida! Stay with me Shida!” At the mention of her name she cracked her eyes. They were still rolling, each pupil a different size, but he saw a flicker of confusion in them.
Good.
She was still in there, even a little bit.

The ambulance’s sirens echoed through the city announcing the incoming speeding vehicle and Bakugo saw the flashing lights through the trees. “I’ll be right back,” he said urgently. He turned, intending to find the paramedics and bring them to her but her hand suddenly clenched his wrist. The strength in her convulsing hand surprised him and he saw her pleading silently through unfocused eyes.

He nearly snarled but knew they weren’t too far from the street. “WE’RE OVER HERE!!!” He screamed, channeling a vein of uncontrolled energy he hadn’t let loose since UA. “GET OVER HERE! NOW! SHE’S DYING!"

A pair of paramedics came sprinting into view pushing a stretcher. They were shouting commands at each other working in sync to get Ani onto the bed. “Damn it, Shida!” One of them snarled in worry. “What the hell did you get yourself into?!”

“Come on, let’s get back to the ambulance!” The other said as they finished strapping in her seizing body and prepared to go. She still had a grip on Bakugo. Her fingertips were white she clutched him so hard. “Looks like you’re coming with us!” They shouted and urged him into a run.

“Wait, what?!” Bakugo protested. The part of him he was desperately trying to ignore, the part that was writhing in fear because she was hurt. Because this person was hurt. This person who he had been unwillingly thinking about and wondering about was in extreme agony and holding onto him. That part of him moved his feet and drove him into a run, overpowering every other part of him.

Before Bakugo could ask himself what the fuck was happening he was running up to the ambulance. They nearly threw nearly threw them in next to her, ignoring his typical loud-mouth objections. One paramedic hopped in on the other side and the other slammed the doors shut, appearing in the front seat in the same breath. “Careful!” Bakugo shouted as they peeled out. The paramedic in the back was furiously working over Ani, already removing the spines from Ani’s arm with tweezers. “Those things hurt like a bitch,” Bakugo noted.

Without breaking his work the paramedic said “yeah. As soon as we heard the call we knew it was from these things. That damn tyrant’s been causing problems all over for us.” His skilled hands made a tireless effort to pull out every spine dropping it into a small box. “We were freaking out, fearing we’d come only to find another dead body,” the paramedic glacned at Ani’s crushed nose. “It’s a blessing and a curse to find her here.”

“Why is that?” Bakugo asked gruffly.

The paramedic glanced at Bakugo quickly with cocked eyebrows as he dropped the last spine in the box. “You do know who this is, don’t you?” He asked and Bakugo’s eyes fell to the hand still grasping his arm. “Word around the hospital is that Ani’s the one who saved your life. Turned you from a chunk of charcoal to your normal self.”

Bakugo pursed his lips, unwilling to corroborate.

“Shit,” the paramedic said leaning over Ani’s face. He started cleaning the blood.

“Is it broken?” Bakugo asked quietly. He watched the paramedic’s fingers gingerly wiping her face, caring for her in a way he couldn’t, and felt an odd sense of...no. No, Ground Zero did not experience jealously.

“Yeah. I’m guessing her body was too preoccupied fighting off the neurotoxin.”

“From the spines?”

The paramedic nodded. “Shida’s regeneration is the reason she’s alive right now where others were fried by the time help could arrive.”

Slowly Ani’s convulsing subsided to a gentle trembling and, keeping her hold on Bakugo, her body relaxed as a euphoric smile spread across her face. She giggled in the after effects of the toxin and her pulse was spiking erratically. The hospital pulled into sight. Ani’s giggle grew into a full body-laugh that would have put the two men at ease if it wasn’t for the tears streaming down her grimacing face.

“We’re almost there, hang on Shida!” The paramedic commanded, prepping her for transfer. She pulled on Bakugo’s arm one last time, drawing him in as the ambulance screeched to a halt. Her eyes focused on him for only a moment, the azure blue calm and magnetizing, and whispered only loud enough for him:

“You're like a fire breathing kitten.”

She let go of his arm as the paramedics smoothly pulled her away. The tips of her fingers grazed his arm leaving tingling streaks along his skin. He hopped out after them, holding her bag, watching her bed disappear into the ER with his emotions churning around an unsettled heart.

Notes:

Are the chapters getting too long? There's so much I'm excited to share that I'm having a hard time deciding when and where to put the break. Let me know if you have any thoughts

Chapter 18: There With You

Chapter Text

Ani slowly floated back to consciousness under a pounding headache.
Flashes of the night began to come back to her. Flashes of pain. Of a blushing pro hero. Of sounds and voices.
Bakugo’s voice.
Paramedics. Nurses and doctors who were her coworkers. Aino, too.
And Shouto. Shouto concerned. Shouto relieved then defensive. Hostile. Angry even. It was especially easy to follow Shouto’s voice.
Shouto wasn’t alone.
Other persistent voices remained by her side throughout the hours she lay resting in bed. It wasn’t until the early morning sunlight that she had the energy to open her eyes.

Shouto.

He was asleep sitting in a chair, slumped forward onto her bed. She ran his fingers through his hair, comforted by the soft locks. Having him here, knowing he’d been there throughout the night had been soothing. She smiled, at ease from his presence, and the expression was enough to make her broken nose flare with pain. She couldn’t help the sharp breath that sucked in loudly through her clenched teeth.

Shouto’s eyes popped open and he immediately noticed Ani was awake. “Ani,” he breathed in relief.

At the sound of his voice something stirred in the corner of the room. Bakugo’s head appeared out from under the coat covering him and he sat up. A moment of relief flashed through his expression before the usual scowl set in place. “Finally...you’re awake,” he grumbled, annoyed.

Shouto threw an irritated glance toward over his shoulder. “There was no reason for you to stay.”

“Tch.” Bakugo flexed his obscenely muscular arms and it was clear they’d been arguing the whole night. “I was the one who found her. As a pro, I needed to make sure she survived.”

Shouto’s eyes pressed closed as he took a deep breath. When he returned his eyes to Ani, they were soft. “How are you feeling?” He asked, resting a hand on her leg. Bakugo tried his best to hide his bristling reaction.

“Better.” Ani leaned her head back only for a moment until Aino flew into the room.

“Ani!” He exclaimed eyes bright with relief. “You’re awake.” His eyes skimmed the two men but paid them no mind. Crossing to the clear side of Ani’s bed he asked “how are you feeling?”

“Better,” she said with a small smile and winced again. All three men flinched. “What happened to me?”

“Bakugo found you being harassed in the park,” Aino answered first. “One of them has a needle-pin quirk that’s been wreaking havoc across the area recently. She has detaching, barbed spines that shock the nervous system until the body shuts down. Victims here and in other hospitals have died this week before they could be saved.”

Ani’s heart sank. “But my regeneration...”

“Saved your life,” Aino confirmed. “It kept the toxin back enough until the paramedics could remove the spines. Then your body was able to clean it all out once there was no more coming into your system.”

Ani sank into the bed. There were too many thoughts whirling around her mind but she knew where to start. She looked to the angry, hot red eyes. “Thank you, Bakugo...you saved my life.”

Todoroki and Aino’s eyes shifted to the ashy blonde’s face. Any surprise or happiness or understanding that may have shown in a normal person’s face was absent from Bakugo’s. “Whatever. I save people every day.” His lips puckered in an unreadable pout. “Besides, we’re even now.” He lifted Ani’s bag from the floor.

“My stuff!” Her eyes popped open with surprise as he tossed it to her bed. Todoroki caught it and set it down gently. She quickly glanced inside.

“Oi! Don’t you dare think I stole something!” Bakguo scowled. “I made sure it was safe all night.”

Ani pulled out the sheets of paper with a sigh of relief. “It’s still here!” She gave Bakugo a relaxed, grateful smile. “Thanks Bakugo...I don’t know what I would’ve done without this!”

Bakugo’s heart began to pound at the shine of her smile and sparkle in her eye. A faint blush dusted his pale cheeks betraying his grumpy pout. “Yeah...well...those dumbasses would’ve stolen it after we left if I didn’t take it.” Todoroki felt a dark jealousy at the way Bakugo said ‘we’ but he kept it from muddying his expression.

“Usually someone just says you’re welcome,” Ani said as she reviewed her notes. Shouto did a poor job of stifling a laugh, relieved at her attitude toward the other pro hero. Aino awkwardly glanced at a now-fuming Bakugo.

“What?!” He erupted and Ani glanced at him. She set her papers down.

“When someone gives another person thanks...it’s kind to accept it instead of trying to brush it off. It makes me feel bad.”

Bakugo pouted, still blushing and mumbled “...’re....’elcom....”

Ani’s eyes returned to the papers and Shouto leaned in, roaming over the notes, too. “These are for your hearing today, right?” He asked.

Ani nodded. “Yes. I suppose I will—”

“Wait! You’re still going to that?!" Bakugo cut in.

“Bakugo, stop yelling,” Todoroki sternly said. “We’re in a hospital.”

“OI YOU HALF-AND-HALF BA—”

“Ani,” Aino cut through them. “You don’t have to do this today. They would have no ground to force it if you want to reschedule.”

“No, I can do this. I’m still going.”

Bakugo began to seethe but Aino responded “I thought you would say that so I swung by your apartment.” He dropped a bag onto her bed. Fresh clothes.

“Thanks Aino!”

“Ani, I’m going to go to shower and change but I’ll be back here before the hearing starts,” Todoroki said taking her hand in his.

“You’re both okay with this?!” Bakugo nearly roared. “She almost DIED last night!”

“And she says she can do this,” Todoroki said with a warning in his voice.

“You didn’t see her,” Bakugo snarled. “She shouldn’t do this. She needs rest!”

“I’m an adult Bakugo.” Ani looked at him squarely.

“I trust her judgment,” Todoroki said, eyeing Bakugo who looked to Aino for any support.

Aino shrugged. “I would tell her not to if I thought it was a risk.”

Bakugo angrily grabbed his sweatshirt. “Fuck this...so ridiculous. You’re on your own.” He slammed the door closed.

Ani looked between her boyfriend and brother who exchanged a glance. “We’re been trying to help you for the hearing,” Aino said. “I asked Bakugo to show up and testify to the success of your treatment.”

“And I asked my attorney to attend. He was able to clear his schedule and attend the meeting on your behalf.”

Ani’s eyes widened and flickered between them. “I don’t know what to say...thank you both, so much.”

Shouto squeezed her hand reassuringly. “Everything is going to work out.”

“Thank you...” she said quietly and gave each of them a smile. Someone knocked on the door and a nurse stuck her head in.

“Excuse me, Ani? There’s a detective here who wants to talk to you now that you’re awake.”

Ani nodded. “Okay. They can come in whenever.”

After the nurse ducked out, Aino asked “do you want me to stay?”

Ani shook her head. “No, thank you. If you have other patients to see, please do.” He have her hand a squeeze and Todoroki a nod before leaving. “You, too,” Ani said to her boyfriend. “There’s no pressure to stay if you have other things to do.”

“I will leave if you ask me to...otherwise you are my priority today.”

Ani blushed, holding his gaze. “I don’t want you to leave.” Shouto’s heart bloomed. He stayed with Ani through the detective’s inquiry but it was hard not to react. His fans.

His fans did this to her.

He held all of his emotions in until he was home. An explosion of anger cracked the stone tiles in his kitchen counter, blasting the bar stools to splinters. His shirt hung in tatters and ice coated the entire living room an guest room. He sighed, ignoring the damage to go shower.

Chapter 19: Hearing

Chapter Text

Ani was getting dressed, braiding her hair, when someone pounded on the door. Glace burst in. “ANI!” She was red-faced and out of breath. “Loni and another janitor came to the ER! The hearing started already!!”

Ani’s stomach dropped into her shoes and the color drained from her face. She was calm for only a moment. Then panic set in. Her hands flew, throwing everything into her bags in a rush and stuffing papers without caring if they crumpled. As she tore out of the room, up the hall, Glace shouted after her “Good luck!!”

Fearing traffic at the elevators she cut down a hall into a stairwell mainly used by staff. She thundered up the stairs two at a time, heart throbbing against her lungs. Glace’s warning rang true: the hearing was already underway and no one told her. Miss Hina was posted at the door and her eyes popped guiltily as Ani strode up.

“A-ah, Miss Shida, there you are!” She spluttered. Ani merely glared and let herself into the boardroom. Every head turned toward her.
“Ahh, Miss Shida. Thank you for being here today,” the old man from the end of the table said.
Ani felt a deep rage simmer as she drew in a breath.

 

Shoto’s phone dinged, a text from Aino. Ani’s hearing had already begun. He arrived at the hospital with his attorney and rushed inside. They followed the directions as they came out on the top floor he heard a raging voice. “HOW COULD YOU HAVE STARTED ALREADY?!”

Todoroki rounded the corner. “Bakugo,” he said. “I thought you weren’t going to help Ani.”

The fiery red eyes flashed in annoyed surprise. “Yeah, well. Changed my mind.”

Todoroki approached the door and the shrunken woman next to Bakugo nervously glanced around, fearing she would be yelled at again. Todoroki simply strode past and let himself into the meeting. Ani sat by herself at the end of a massive table facing a dozen suited men whose interest ranged from rapt attention to extreme indifference. When the doors opened one of them rose, ready to admonish the intruder. Instead, only a whisper of the pro heroes names fell from his mouth.

“Todoroki Shouto. Bakugo Katsuki. To what do we owe the pleasure of your appearance today?” The man at the other end of the table asked.

Bakugo crossed his arms and snarled “making sure you don’t fire the person who saved my life.”

“On the contrary,” the man said only acknowledging the pro heroes. “We plan on firing the surgeon who approved the secret procedure and kept Nurse Shida’s extraordinary abilities from us.”

“What?” Ani asked incredulously. “You’re going to fire Aino?!”

“Of course,” the chairman said disdainfully. “We could’ve been using your extraordinary talent on a much larger scale.”

“What do you mean a larger scale?” Todoroki demanded.

The committee began talking over her with Todoroki and Bakugo as if she wasn’t even there.
As if she was an object.
A medicine to be passed around.
To be traded and used.
How the hospital saw fit.

The deep simmering rage of unappreciation, of disrespect, and objectification began to break it’s way to the surface. Ani rose slowly from her chair, determination set upon her face. “No,” she said. The word cut through the chatter like a hatchet: strong and absolute.

“No?” The chairman gave her a quizzical look. “To what?”

“To all of it,” Ani stated. “You will not fire Aino because he didn’t know my quirk could do this.”

The chairman huffed. “Well, then, he-he approved an untested procedure.”

“I lied to him.” Ani squared her shoulders. “I told him, leveraged his faith in me as his sister to assure him without a doubt that I had done it before and it would work. Aino made the best decision in the situation based on the false information that I gave him.”

Murmurs sprinkled the room. The chairman stroked his chin. “Well...Ani...this is a very serious transgression. Of course, your position here with us is secure we will just need some time to consider how you can compensate the hospital community.”

“There’s no need,” Ani said as she gathered her things and gave the chairman a passing glance. “I resign.”

She turned, ignoring the growing cries rising around the room. Some pleaded for her not to depart, addressing how much she could do for the hospital and its patients. Others condemned her future. None of them made a dent in her resolution. As they left, Miss Hina scurried past them into the boardroom erupting with noise.

“Ani, is this what you really want?” Todoroki asked.

She nodded. “Yes...” she looked back at the boardroom doors. "That's what I've always feared."

Todoroki understood. He saw her trying to keep her tears from falling and wrapped her in a tight hug. She clung to his shirt. “It’s okay...everything is going to be okay,” he said quietly.

“Mr. Todoroki,” the attorney said, deftly reading the situation. “I’m going to file an injunction to prevent any public spread of knowledge about Miss Shida’s quirk but I won’t be able to restrict any negative recommendations they give to any future, potential employers since, Miss Shida, you confessed to lying to your superior.”

Todoroki glanced down at Ani, unsure if she would fully explain the situation to the attorney but she stayed quiet, only nodding in response. “Thank you, Kichi.” Shoto shook his hand. Ani wiped her face and bowed her head at the man with a sniffle.

“Yes, thank you. And thank you for making time to be here today,” she added.

“My honor.” He bowed his head. “I will always assist Mr. Todoroki in any way that I can.” With another bow of his head he left them.

Ani rested her head on Shoto’s chest and someone made a sound of disgust. Ani jumped.
She forgot Bakugo was still there.
She turned in Shoto’s arms to see the other pro hero scowling at them. Something deep churned in his eyes. His fists clenched and unclenched. “Bakugo, thank you for being here, too,” she said quietly. Shoto kept his arms wrapped around her, watching the other pro hero carefully.

“Waste of my damn time,” he fumed. Without waiting for a response, he stormed past them to the stairs. Ani looked to Shoto whose face was calm.

“Don’t worry about him,” he assured her. They went to the elevator where he continued to hold her.

“What are you going to do now?” He asked.

“Head home,” Ani said. She gingerly touched her nose. “I need more rest. I can feel my regeneration trying to kick back in.”

“Can I come with you?” He asked tentatively.

She nodded. “I would like that though I won’t be much in the way of company today.”

“Being by your side is all I want,” he said tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

They descended through the building and though Ani’s mind was reeling, replaying every detail of the meeting and everything that happened and how her life changed so dramatically, her heart was light. She felt buoyant and knew she made the right decision.
Shoto accompanied her home on the train. He politely tended to the attention of his fans and Ani used the time to text Doto, Glace, and Aino what transpired. Her friends were worried but her brother...was furious. She wasn’t ready to hear it in his voice so she ignored his calls. All three. He left only one voicemail after the last call and reprimanded her for blacklisting herself like that. He would’ve had a better chance of being rehired somewhere. She smiled, at least his rage was only in protection and out of fear for her.

Neither Ani nor Todoroki saw the pair of lapis lazuli irises following their every move, including how they held hands getting off at Ani’s stop.

 

Shoto held her for the entire afternoon as she fell into a deep sleep. The tv was on but he was more interested in the woman in his arms. He could practically see her nose resetting itself and rebuilding cartilage. If that wasn’t enrapturing enough, he savored being able to hold her so close. To feel her heart beat and the warmth of her skin. He cherished his time with her. Every moment, driving deeper the connection and feelings he felt toward her.

Chapter 20: Want

Notes:

*NSFW Ahead*

Chapter Text

Ani woke up happy and warm in a pair of arms. She smiled before she opened her eyes. “You’re still here,” she whispered.

He looked away from the window, where he’d been staring lost in thought, at the sound of her voice. “Mmm.”

She cracked an eyelid sensing something wasn’t right and saw the pensive unfocus of his eyes. “What’s wrong?” She asked opening both eyes and sitting up. He traced the edge of his lips as he put the right words in place then met her gaze.

“Come work for me.”

Ani’s eyes widened. “What?”

“Come work for me. Run a clinic in my agency and help me care for my staff.” He thought it over all afternoon. Over the past two weeks he had been more distracted than he had ever been before. He had never felt so strongly about anyone else. He was distracted at work and restless, feeling unable to be there without her more and more. He wouldn’t lie to himself. Part of this was coming from the League of Villains. He hadn’t told her but he usually wasn’t tied up in so many meetings. He had so many recently because the LoV was stirring in the shadows. No one knew what they were doing yet and it made him wary. Ani was attacked by people who claimed to be his fans in a chance meeting in the park at night. She would be too easily accessible as a nurse in the ER.
He wanted her close. He wanted her safe.

The moment she resigned his mind flashed to their conversation earlier that week. She would be the perfect person for running a clinic in his agency. The clinic would be the perfect place for her. The concept of being able to see her everyday was alluring and knowing where she was would give him peace of mind. He wanted it, wanted her so badly. But he wouldn’t force it.

Ani’s eyes moved around as she thought. “I never considered working in a clinic before.”

“Are you worried you won’t like it?”

“No...” She looked at him thoughtfully. “I don’t think I would mind the job itself. I would actually quite like regular hours and building relationships with patients. But...”

“But?” He gently prompted, resisting the urge to touch her.

Her eyes moved to the Midoriya painting. “I feel guilty about it.”

He followed her line of sight and understood. “You’re worried about not giving life everything you can.”

She nodded and pulled her knees up to her chest. Her mind was racing through all the variables. “Besides...What...what if you don’t like having me around?” She asked, unable to meet his eye for a moment. “What are people going to say when you hire your girlfriend?”

She raised her gaze to meet his breathtakingly intense heterochromatic one. “I don’t care what other people say. Or think,” he said as his eyes glowed. “And I will always want you around.”

He could sense her insecurity, her self-doubt and had the urge to rip the clothes from her body and show her how much he wanted her. “You don't have to answer now,” he assured her. “I want you to be happy, wherever that leads you.”

Ani smiled at him. “I’m happiest with you.”
His pants tightened.
She added “I want some time to think about it, okay?”

“Of course,” he accepted. It wasn’t a yes but it wasn’t a no, either. He leaned in and took her lips with his as her hands came to his cheeks.

Holding her body in one hand and holding his own weight on the other, he dipped her down to the couch. She parted her lips with a heady need for some part of him to be inside of her. He dominated her mouth with his tongue, flexing and swirling around her own. Her fingers moved to the buttons of his shirt swiftly undoing the trail of them until his undershirt was exposed. She ran her hands over the clothed muscles of his chest, unable to deny herself any longer. She pushed the unbuttoned shirt over his shoulders and moved to pull his undershirt up over his head. He leaned back only long enough to pull both of them off and drop them to the floor.

She was short of breath at the sight of him.

He was muscular, toned like the statue of a god with smooth skin. She could see the outline of abs as he was flexing to hold himself above her. God, he was so attractive. She wanted to ride him and watch him come undone underneath her. She wanted him to pound her into the couch. She bit her lip as she tried to keep the raging hormones at bay burning desperately to overpower her morals.

He was filled with a mix of emotions as she stared up at him, oogling him with an open mouth. When she bit her lip he couldn’t hold back anymore. He crashed onto her mouth with a hot kiss and pulled her up onto his lap. She squealed and giggled happily as he repositioned her with ease until she was straddling his lap again. She cupped his face and kissed him back, already beginning to grind into his erection but he had other plans in mind.

He slid his fingers under the hem of her shirt and tentatively lifted, a request. She leaned back and stared deep into his gray-blue eyes as she took the hem out of his hands and lifted the shirt over her head. It fell to the floor on top of his.

Now it was his turn to stare.

Better than he could have imagined. His eyes had followed the path of skin as it was exposed. Her skin was soft, cream colored and dotted with a few moles. The curve of her waist drew his eye to the simple, gray bra cupping her perky breasts at an angle that kept her nipple teasingly hidden from him. She was starting to feel self-conscious when his gaze became hooded, heavy with lust. He felt precum beginning to drip into his underwear at the thought of dominating her and completely making her belong to him. He began planting feather-light kisses along her jaw.

“You’re so beautiful,” he whispered in her ear. She shivered.
He wanted to absolutely wreck her.

She tilted her head back, exposing her neck for him and moaned. One look over her flushed features and he saw how she wanted it almost as much as he did. Almost. He traced the curve of her waist with the tips of his fingers, one side hot and the other icy, and brought his hands up to cup her breasts. She whimpered his name as he gently squeezed. His fingertips traced the edge of her bra, teasing the skin hidden just underneath with two different temperatures, and her nipples ached to be touched. Wetness soaked her panties as she let him do what he wanted to her.

His fingertips continued up the line of her bra to her shoulder where he slipped the straps down. She gasped when she felt the thin strings hang limp. Ani began to squirm in his lap and he pressed his concrete-hard cock up against her clothed sex. She mewled with each thrust of his hips against her bundle of nerves while his lips made a trail down the fleshy mounds of her chest.

She felt his hot breath pant against her skin in excitement as his fingertips ghosted over her bare shoulders down to unclasp her strap. She was watching him with lustful eyes as he savored the feeling of her skin and how it reacted to the different temperatures of his touch.

He pulled the fabric away putting her small, plump boobs and the pink, pointed nipples aching for attention. He brushed over her nipples making her whine in need as he palmed each breast whole with opposite temperatures. “Oh god, Shouto,” she moaned making his erection throb painfully. She was trying to hold back making more noise.

“Fuck,” he whispered. He massaged the fleshy mounds and relished how her body followed each of his movements. “Your sounds are amazing. I want to hear you.”

He strummed his fingertips over her nipples and she cried out, head thrown back and ground against his erection roughly. He did it again. And again. Each pass over her taut buds driving her deeper into his lap until she was moaning and gasping as a fizzling tension coiled between her legs. “I-I’m--I’m cumming!” He dipped his head down and flicked his tongue over a nipple. “Sh-Shoutoo!” She cried and wrapped her hands around his head and neck, clutching him as he continued to flick her sensitive nubs with his tongue through her orgasm. At the sound of his name he came, painting his bare chest in a coat of thick semen.

Ani’s breathing slowed as she came down from the high. Shotuo held her carefully not wanting to get the sticky mess on her. “You are absolutely amazing,” she said breathlessly.

He grinned his breathtaking smile, scar crinkling. “As are you.” He glanced down at his chest and her face burned crimson. “I think I need a shower.”

She looked up at him under her lashes and timidly asked “c-can I shower with you?”

His pupils darkened illuminating the two colors of his eyes. He wanted to. He wanted to so badly but he needed a minute to clear his mind otherwise he would impale her over and over again until she couldn’t walk. He was barely able to contain himself here on the couch. He cleared his throat. “Maybe next time...I want you to be able to walk when I take you out to dinner tonight.” He lightly kissed her lips. “And tomorrow when you come to my office to help you decide if you want to work with me.”

“Okay,” she said lightly. “I appreciate that.”

Chapter 21: Just An Extra

Chapter Text

Bakugo slammed his fists over and over into the punching bag until finally it ripped apart showering the heavy filling across the floor. Kirishima watched his best friend move onto the next piece of equipment, wondering if there would be anything left of the gym. Bakugo had already snapped a rowing machine, launched a medicine ball into the wall, and now stalked over to a leg press.

Bakugo roared as he flexed his legs to lift up twice his body weight.

“Dude, you have to take a break,” Kirishima demanded. Bakugo looked like he was about to pop a blood vessel. “What the hell is going on with you?!”

Bakugo ignored the droning of his irritating yet loyal and irreplaceable best friend. He knew what the spiky-haired ass was trying to do. He was trying to make Bakugo explode hoping the reason for his rage would come out with it. But Bakugo didn’t know what to say. He didn’t know what to call the strange feelings that jolted through him when he found that...that nurse on the ground...bleeding. The way her body spasmed and her eyes rolled gave him chills when he still thought about it. He remembered the strength of her grip and the odd feelings it sent to have her hold onto him. And how could he forget what she called him.

Every time he thought of her breath breezing over his ear with words only for him and the obnoxious, insulting, god-damnit-fucking-cute-and-way-too-perceptive-though-he-would-never-admit-it nickname she called him. FUCK. He had been so tender with her and didn’t realize it. He wondered if she was conscious of his presence the whole time or if it was just the after effects of the neurotoxin talking. He wanted to find out. He planned on it, hanging around to make sure she was okay and talk to her.

And then icy-hot, the goddamned bastard burst in with her brother. Bakugo was filled with a strange fire when Todoroki acted so protectively over Ani and stood toe-to-toe with Bakugo, the pro hero who actually rescued her. It gave him a dark satisfaction to rub that in the red-and-white icicle’s face the whole night especially after he found out they were dating. Something anchored Bakugo near the nurse. He wanted to go, tried several times, and kept finding himself back in her room. He tried to tell himself it was just for the enjoyment of getting under Todoroki’s skin.

And then when she woke up...and looked at him...She’d only looked at him with disdain before and for good reason, he admitted to himself. He’d been an asshole to her the two times he’d spoken to her before and never brought himself to apologize. He wished he had done it sooner because the way she looked at him in appreciation made him feel alive.

When he stormed out of the hospital, he cursed himself. He wanted to see that look on her face again. It was a look that made him feel like...well...like a hero. Those parts of him he couldn’t ignore were starting to take over again, forcing him to pace through the city as he unwillingly obsessed over every detail of his encounter with her. Of her. He resolved to return to the hospital after a quick trip home. In the shower, wanting to be presentable for her, he took care of his massive erection and he couldn’t help where his thoughts inevitably led. He had to brace himself against the shower wall and hissed with the almost painful force of his finish.

What the hell was going on with him?!

That’s what he asked himself when he showed up to the fucking meeting or hearing or whatever and the half-and-half bastard showed up, too. He wasn’t going to be upstaged. He went in and was at least acknowledged by the committee. He waited for Ani to look at him again with such appreciation that he’d shown up. But she didn’t. And, afterwards, it seemed like she forgot he was there. White-hot rage burned out his vision when Todoroki wrapped his arms around her and a fire like Bakugo had never felt before seared through his veins.

He forgot what he said when he left but he knew by the look on her face it wasn’t good.

He was so stupid. So fucking dumb for thinking she was worthy of his time. Worthy of his thoughts. Worthy of him. She wanted to spend her time with some freakishly hot-cold man who couldn’t compare to him?! FINE. Fuck the whole thing. Fuck off all of them. Fuck HER.

Fuck...her.

The weights on the leg press slammed down, jarring him back to reality. He heard the incessant red-head pestering him again. “We don’t have to talk about it,” he finally relented. “Want to at least go get a drink? Blow off some steam?”

“Yeah,” Bakugo panted.

 

 

 

Spikey-hair chose some dark, shitty bar with too loud music, too sweet drinks, and too obnoxious patrons. All fucking extras. Kaminari showed up. Mina, too. And the three of them enthusiastically danced in the mass of lesser-known pro-heroes.

Bakugo sulked in the shadows, downing his fifth frilly drink and cringing from all the sugar. His eyes roamed the crowd looking for someone suitable to fuck. One girl caught his eye as she danced in the dim light. She spun around and he froze, realizing why she caught his attention: her blonde hair. He nearly cracked the glass in frustration with himself. He hastily looked away from her, searching for someone else. Blue eyes. Soft, pale skin. Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck. He pushed up angrily from his seat with the sudden need to be out of here. To be alone. As he headed for the door Kirishima pulled his arm.

“Where are you going?” He asked, brow creased with worry.

“To get some air.” Bakugo shoved his hands in his pockets and rushed out. He stalked along the shadowy edge of the street, hood-pulled up not caring that he looked like a hooligan. Music and voices spilled out of the club behind him. He walked faster in fear the three of his friends came out to follow him. Sure, enough they called his name. He turned at the first corner and froze.

His heart pounded against his chest at the breathtaking sight of her smiling face. The person he’d been trying to forget about was now strolling down the street, laughing at something the red-white haired punk next to her said as he took her hand. Bakugo could feel the heat beginning to build in his fists threatening to ignite his pockets.

“Dude! I told you to wait for us!!” Kirishima said as he came around the corner nearly slamming into Bakugo. Before Bakugo could back up and disappear Mina and Kaminari rounded the corner and blocked his path.

Ani’s light laughter floated down the street again and caught Kaminari’s attention. “Wait...is that...is that Todoroki?” He asked the group.

Bakugo cussed under his breath as the rest of his friends looked and called out to their old classmate. Todoroki’s attention was drawn up the sidewalk and the easy smile faded from his face, replaced with his more well-known stoic expression. Ani saw the change and looked ahead too, scanning the group.

“Bakugo?” She asked as the explosive pro hero tried to hide his face. The ash-blonde felt suddenly weak with the sound of his name of her lips. He made a move to shove his friends aside but in their enthusiasm they inadvertently kept his path blocked.

“Whoa!” Kaminari shouted, eyes blazing as he saw Todoroki holding the young woman’s hand. “Todoroki is this your girlfriend?!”

“EEHHH???!!!!” Mina squealed, noticing it now, too. “TODOROKI!!!”

As the pair approached the group Bakugo looked anywhere but at them. Todoroki politely introduced Ani as Kaminari and Mina fawned over her.

“She’s so cute!!” Mina cried and clapped. “I can’t wait to tell all of our old classmates!”

Kaminari snapped. “We should have a party!”

“Oooo, yes!!” Mina jumped, throwing a fist in the air. “That would be so much fun for you to meet everyone!!”

Kirishima threw an arm around Bakugo’s shoulders. “Yeah, it’s no fair you already know Bakugo!” He felt his friend stiffen.

“Now that you mention it,” Kaminari tapped his chin. “How is it that you two know each other already?”

Todoroki glanced at Ani from the corner of his eye unsure of how she would want to answer that question.

She stuttered “I-I was—”

“Who cares,” Bakugo cut over her. “She was just some extra at the hospital after I saved that kid.”

Todoroki’s grip flexed defensively around Ani’s hand but she let it go. “Yepp. Just surprised to see him out on the street already is all.”

“Eh?” Kirishima said with a playful squeeze around Bakugo’s shoulders. “As if some injury is going to keep this guy down. Don’t you know this guy’s going to be number one someday?!”

“I don’t know about that,” Ani said with a smile up at Todoroki. It was filled with affection for Shouto and not meant as a jab to Bakugo but it landed that way all the same. Small explosions popped in Bakugo’s pockets burning out two holes. He threw Kirishima’s arm off his shoulders and stalked off. Kaminari dashed after him and Mina quickly followed saying over her shoulder “we’re going to call you, Todoroki, about that party!!”

Kirishima paused in place for a moment watching his best friend as a vague understanding began to come to him. He looked back to Ani. “Sorry about him...he gets a little testy when his position is challenged.”

Ani huffed lightly. “Oh, I know.”

The vague idea in Kirishima’s mind became clearer as he looked back and forth between her and Bakugo. He tried to laugh, to stay at ease in the moment. “Yeah...well. It was nice meeting you!” He dashed off in pursuit of his friends and quickly disappeared down the street.

Ani looked up at Shouto with a light-hearted confusion on her face. “Who were those people?”

Shouto glanced at her cute, confused expression and realized none of them introduced themselves. He chuckled, glad she wasn’t obsessed with heroes enough to know all of them and their names and quirks already. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her deeply making her cheeks flame at the unusually intense public display of affection. “Come on,” he said, finally relaxed now that it was just the two of them again. “I’ll tell you about them over dinner.”

Chapter 22: An Interview and Catching up

Chapter Text

Ani and Shouto sat next to each other on a couch in Shouto’s office looking at the documents Dojire spread out in front of them.

“We’ll have to find space in the building—you want it completely in-house?” Dojire asked.

“Yes,” Shouto confirmed.

“Okay, HR is working on that to make sure we won’t compromise anyone else’s working space. The business department is researching various kinds of equipment and furniture as well as supplies to make a projection of costs, both initial and renewing.”

Shouto nodded. “Okay, good.” He looked to Ani. “Are there any questions you have?”

“No, I don’t think so.” She tapped her chin scanning the papers. “I can review everyone’s quirks with publicly available information...I won’t ask for anything too personal until I’m hired—if I’m hired.” She smiled, giving away a hint of how she was leaning.

“We probably already have a list of that available,” Shouto said with a glance at his assistant.

“Yes...” Dojire said as he flipped through a short pile. “Yes, here it is. HR did include that this morning.”

“Thank you,” Ani accepted it, impressed for another time that morning with how efficiently Todoroki’s agency ran. She was nervous, concerned she wouldn’t be able to keep up to their standards.

Dojire reviewed his notes. “Okay, Human Resources already scheduled their interview with you?” He threw a quick glance at his boss.

Ani smiled. “Yes. For them to learn about me as much as it is the other way around. I don’t want my presence to be forced on anyone. I would want to take care of everyone here and can’t do that if they only think I was hired because I’m Shouto’s girlfriend.”

A soft smile pulled at Shouto’s lips. She was already concerned about his team and caring for them. It’s exactly what he wanted.

“I think that’s it, for now, then.” Dojire reassembled the stack of papers into a file and handed it to Shouto.

“Thank you for your quick work, as always,” Shouto said.

“Yes, thank you!” Ani added with a bow.

“My pleasure,” Dojire said. He glanced between the two of them, seeing how Ani’s presence relaxed and illuminated his boss, and gave a small bow of his head before leaving the office, closing the door behind himself.

“Well, what do you think?” Shouto asked, turning to Ani.

“It’s really exciting!!” Ani said hugging the list to her chest. “I hope the interview goes well!”

Shouto smiled. “I hope they impress you. I already know they’re going to love you.”

“I hope so.” She squinted at him. “And don’t go forcing them to hire me. If they don’t like me and don’t think I’m a good fit I don’t want to force it!”

“I will...” he had to bite his tongue. “Do my best.”

“Thank you,” she said holding his arm and planting a kiss on his cheek. He turned, quickly catching her lips with his for a brief but deep kiss. He would quite like having her around every day and hoped she would feel the same way by the end of the day.

She sat back down on the couch to work as he returned to his desk and pulled out his phone. Ani noticed the hint of annoyance in his face. “What’s wrong?” she asked.

He looked up and couldn’t help smiling at how aware she was. “Old classmates from UA is all...”

“Bugging you for a party?” Ani deftly guessed. When Shouto nodded she asked “do you want to get together with them?”

He sighed and leaned back in his chair. “I admit it would be nice to see everyone again and introduce you but...”

“...but?”

“I’m concerned they’re going to drive you away.”

Ani smiled, appreciating his concern. She stood up and crossed the room to join him at his desk where she leaned and crossed her arms. “Try me,” she offered. “What are you worried about?”

Shout’s eyes cautiously drifted to her. “You remember that I told you how Yaoyorozu ruined a previous relationship of mine?” When Ani nodded, he continued “though that relationship was more casual than ours...my old classmates kind of freaked out. Some of the girls are really good friends with Yaoyorozu and were pretty unwelcoming. Those who didn’t care about that were dramatic about the fact that I was in a relationship at all.”

“So...” Ani clicked her tongue. “You’re worried they’re either going to be cold, mean girls or make me think you’re not fit for a relationship?”

“Pretty much,” he said with a heavy sigh.

“Well...” Ani glanced at the door to his office to make sure it was closed. She slid into his lap and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. “Let’s see how it goes, okay? We don’t know what’s going to happen...and it won’t help our moods at the party if we worry about it until then.” She ran her fingers through the base of his hair line at the back of his neck and she began to notice a difference in texture between the colors. He closed his eyes and pulled her closely while she played with his hair.

“I have half-a-mind to hire you and make you work right here,” he said into her hair while grasping her hips tightly. The pressure of his hands on her body made her pulse speed up and a familiar warmth started between her legs. He smugly caught how the movement of her fingers fumbled.

“And I have half-a-mind to accept.” She cleared her throat. They were both blushing and came to a silent agreement they needed to put it on hold. She climbed out of his lap giving him another small kiss on his cheek. “If your old classmates want to have a party, let’s go. I’m not going to back down from a test of us.”

Shouto watched her walk across the room feeling stronger and stronger about his commitment to her. “I feel the same way.”

 

Ani was down in Human Resources having her interview and Shouto was waiting in his office, admittedly anxious. He was hoping this interview would drive Ani to accept a position here but he knew she was serious about being offered the job properly. If they didn’t think she was a good fit, she wouldn’t allow Shouto to force approval of her position here.

His cell phone rang and he snatched it off the table in reflex. So few people actually called him unless it was an emergency and he was ready to jump into action until he saw the caller ID.

Endeavor.

He silenced his cell phone and then his office phone rang. Caller ID: the head of HR.

 

“I hope you don’t mind hanging out here tonight,” Ani said guiltily knowing his apartment was much nicer.

“Not at all,” he said with a smile as they started eating at the kotatsu. This time, as they sat with their legs folded under, their knees overlapped and Shouto relished the contact.

Since his very first night here, he had felt comfortable. It was an inviting place that emanated the same warmth he felt from Ani and made him feel more at home here than in his own apartment. “I like being here,” he shyly admitted. “Being with you.”

“I’m glad,” she said trying to suppress a massive smile. “I feel the same.”

“It’s nice to have a quiet night before tomorrow night, too,” he said.

Ani took his hand. “It’s going to be great. Just a few of your old friends from class and a quiet night, right?”

Shouto swallowed thickly. “As far as they told me.” His old class had been known to downplay the plan in situations when they wanted him to be there but knew he wouldn’t necessarily take part. He didn’t want to tell this to Ani, though, because they were usually upfront about the plans. Usually.

Their conversation drifted away from the party and they chatted happily about Ani’s interview. She had been officially offered the job and was asked to give her answer by Monday. He could tell she was still undecided, driven back to the idea of an ER position by guilt but he was hoping she would choose to work for him.

After dinner they sat on the couch together, reading, and Shouto laid down with his head in Ani’s lap. She absentmindedly ran her fingers through his hair as she read and at some point his eyes had closed. The book laid open and face down on his chest and moved up and down with each slow, deep breath he took. She glanced down at him.

“Are you still awake?” Ani whispered.

“Mmm,” he hummed.

Ani smiled. “Do you want to go to bed?”

“Not yet,” he said looking up at her. She lost her breath at the sight; the two colors of his eyes were deep and relaxed. “I’m enjoying this.”

She blushed. “I’m glad.” The more she played with his hair the more she could feel the subtle difference. “Have you ever noticed the difference in your hair?”

“You mean that it’s two different colors?” He asked with a smirk.

She laughed. “No...that it feels different.”

The smirk slowly faded from his face. “Really?”

She nodded. “Close your eyes.” She took one of his hands and ran it slowly back and forth through each side. “Your red hair is thinner but rough. The white is thicker but soft.”

He slowly opened his eyes in a soft astonishment. “I never noticed before.”

“It’s a really subtle difference...and I doubt you’ve ever paid attention to your hair as much as I have before,” she said with a guilty smile.

He sat up, sad to end her actions but needing to kiss her and that’s what he did. It was a slow kiss intimate with appreciation mixed with his feeling of being seen and being valued. For the details of who he really was. At least...the details she knew.

“Stay with me,” she asked him quietly when their kiss ended.

“Absolutely.” He brushed her cheek with his knuckles. “Forever,” he whispered too quietly for her to hear.

 

 

Shouto watched the sunlight dawn into Ani’s room and brushed a few hairs from her sleeping face. He smiled and wrapped his arms around her, knowing what he needed to do today.

 

Ani gave Shouto a long kiss goodbye before he left, standing on the floor while he stood in the genkan to tip his head up to her. She held his face, keeping him there as long as she could. He held her waist and rubbed the skin of her hips with his thumbs, each a different temperature.

Summoning all of his self-control Shouto gently pulled back and she released him.

“I’ll see you later, okay?” he said.

She nodded with a smile. “6:45?”

“And not a minute later,” he assured her with a quick kiss and stepped out. “Have a good day, today.”

“Thank you. You, too.” She closed the door behind him, resting against it with a happy glow in her heart. Her phone rang from her bedroom and she ran to see who it was: Aino. She groaned but answered.

“Hello?” She answered as if she didn’t know who it was.

“Yeah, nice try.” He called her out. “Don’t act like you don’t know it’s me.”

She sighed. “Hey Aino. What’s up?”

“What’s up? What’s up?! You quit your job two days ago and have been ignoring my calls ever since!! When did you become impossible to reach?!” He demanded.

Ani flinched. “I’m sorry Aino. You’re right...it was wrong to ignore all of your calls.”

“And my texts.”

“Yes, and your texts.” She plopped down on her bed. “I have some free time today. Want to get lunch? Catch up?” She could hear him grumbling and played the ultimate temptation. “We can get dorayaki....?”

He sucked in an audible breath. “You really suck sometimes.”

She grinned in victory. “YES! Where are you right now?”

“I’m at home. I just woke up a little while ago...things have been crazy at the hospital.”

A pang of guilt struck Ani’s chest. “I’m sorry Aino. Lunch is my treat, okay? I’ll grab it on my way.”

“No, I’ll treat. I’ll call in the order and you just grab it on your way, okay?”

“Okay. Thanks Aino,” Ani said with a smile.

“Yeah, yeah. I’ll see you soon.”

“See you soon.”

 

Ani let herself into her brother’s condo and locked the door behind her, setting her shoes properly in his genkan before shouting out to him. “BIG BROOTHERRR! YOUR FOOD’S HERE!!” She crossed the contemporary first floor and set the food down on his black, granite countertop to pull out plates as he came down the stairs.

“Hey sis,” he said giving her a hug.

“Hey bro,” she said squeezing him back. “I’m sorry I disappeared.”

“I forgive you.” He patted her head and helped her finish arranging the two place settings at the counter. They sat together and she recounted the judiciary hearing in detail for him. He was pleased both Todoroki and Bakugo had showed up to help her.

“I still think you should have let them fire me. It would’ve been easier for me to be rehired somewhere,” Aino insisted. He sat back already finished with lunch. “Have you thought about what you’re going to do?”

“Well...” Ani pushed the last of her food around. “I kind of...Okay, not kind of...I already have another job offer.”

“Really?” He asked in surprise. “Where?”

“The Todoroki Agency.” She watched his reaction. “Shouto’s firm offered me a job.”

“Wow...doing what?”

“Running a specialized clinic for his staff and their quirks.”

Aino nodded slowly. He kept his face impassive and watched her expression. “I see...how are you feeling about it?”

Ani exhaled heavily. “To be direct...I want it.”

“But...”

“I don’t know if it’s really the best use of my quirk.” Ani crossed her arms and rested her head down upon them on the counter.

Aino knew her well enough to understand why she felt that way. “Do you remember when Dad took us out early one morning...to get flowers for mom’s birthday?” Ani shifted her eyes to him and nodded, head still resting on her arms. “And the bus driver that morning, he was being harassed, degraded by a drunk?” He paused, replaying the memory in his mind. Their father, strong and invincible in his son’s eyes stood up and intervened.

Ani saw the same memory in her own mind and remembered the feeling of her father as his presence filled the bus. She heard his words, powerful and moving, as he defended the bus driver. It was Aino who repeated those words out loud.

“Any job done well...is a job to be proud of.” He looked at his younger sister. “If you want this job...you’ll find a way to give it your all.”

“You wouldn’t judge me if I took it?”

“Judge you?” Aino’s brow furrowed. “Why do you think I would do that?”

“Because...I’m taking a cushy job out of the line of fire.” Her eyes fell in embarrassment.

Aino laughed. “Todoroki is a lot of things...but something tells me your job there won’t be some cushy vacation. His whole agency is probably run like a machine with standards that are going to keep you on your toes.”

“Yeah,” Ani said with a growing smile. “I saw that first-hand yesterday.”

Aino smiled warmly at her. “Besides that, I won’t judge you for what you want. I support you, Ani. If you want to work for Shouto, I support you.”

“Thanks,” she said finally sitting up.

“Of course.” He patted her shoulder. “You’re an amazing nurse and they would be lucky to have you.”

“Thanks,” Ani said again with a grin.

“Now.” He clapped his hands and rubbed them together. “Where’s my dorayaki?”

 

~

 

Shouto steadied himself as he parked his car. It had been a while since he last visited his mother and he felt guilty for not visiting sooner since his accident. He knew she followed his career and watched for information about him from the news and online. He wasn’t purposefully ignoring her it simply...happened. He had been swept away by someone. But that's why he was here now. To visit with his mother and assure her he was fine and to apologize for not visiting sooner. To tell her about Ani.

Rei smiled when she saw who opened the door to her room. “Shouto-san,” she said softly.

“Mother.” He greeted her with a gentle hug. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m fine.” She glanced over him for any signs of injury. “And you?”

“I’m fine as well...” He cleared his throat. “I’m sorry for not visiting you sooner.”

Rei saw the things only a mother sees, even a distant mother like herself. “It’s alright...” She watched him searching for words. “This is no ordinary visit...is it, my son?”

He swallowed thickly and shook his head, unable to figure out how to start.

“Well...very few things have ever made you this flustered.” Rei smiled warmly. “What’s her name?”

Chapter 23: Wrapped Around You

Notes:

*NSFW*

Chapter Text

Ani was just getting out of the shower when Shouto called. “Hey,” she said wrapping the towel around herself. “How did training go?”

“It went well,” he said. “Nothing exciting enough to mention.”

Ani disagreed. She found the idea of him working out, muscles flexing, body sweating, and quirk flashing flames and ice across a gym, very exciting.

“What are you doing right now?" He asked.

She blushed though he wasn’t there. “Just getting out of the shower.”

“Oh,” he paused a moment, clearing his mind and his throat. “Well, I was...I was going to ask to come hang out before we go to the party.”

“That’s fine! I would like that,” Ani said as her unclothed parts began to warm up. “When do you think you’ll be here?”

“Um...well...I just parked...in your apartment’s lot.”

Ani gasped. He was here. And she was naked. Her chest began to heave with heavy need. When she didn’t respond he said “but I can come back! If you need time, since...you know...I can come back—”

“No!” She urged. “It’s fine! I’ll be ready by the time you get up here."

“Okay...Thanks Ani,” he said.

“O-Of course...” Something in his tone caught her attention and she hesitated, looking at her phone for a moment after he hung up, before flying back to her room and dressing quickly. She pulled on the first things she saw ending up in gray-white striped shorts and a navy, sleeveless shirt that fell in place as he knocked. She walked quickly across the floor, gently tossing her wet hair and opened the door with an easy smile.

“Hi,” she said as she stepped back for him.

He closed the door behind himself. “Hi,” he said and gave her a light kiss. “Are you sure I’m not intruding?”

She shook her head and he followed her to the middle of the apartment. “Not at all...I didn’t have any plans before the party. It’s a nice surprise to see you.” He gave her a smile that didn’t touch his eyes and she began to worry. “Can I get you something to drink?”

“No, thank you,” he said and took her hand. She let him lead her to the couch and could feel something was on his mind. The air was thick with it. She wanted to wait, didn’t want to pressure him into talking about whatever it was that was bothering him but she started to get anxious when he stayed so quiet.

“Sho...” she said softly, brushing a few hairs from his eyes. “What’s wrong?”

He rubbed his face, fingers passing over his scar. “I need to tell you something.”

“Okay.” She took a steadying breath, waiting patiently.

“I’ve...I’ve worked hard to keep the cause of my scar a secret. And I think it’s been successful...very few people know about it.” He glanced at her and she nodded, confirming she didn’t know. “My father, as I’m sure you do know, is not a compassionate person...He forced his marriage to my mother to use her for her quirk, only.
“He had no interest in anything about her other than that and wanted a child born with both his quirk and hers. My mother...I get my ice-abilities from her. My older siblings weren’t born with the two quirks as I was and thus...were of no interest to my father but as soon as I was born and my quirks showed up...
“I became an obsessive object of my father’s attention. As I grew older, I bared witness to his cruelty and abuse...began to see how he treated my mother...and then suffered my own fate at his hand. I think most people assume this scar...had something to do with that training...but it didn’t.” Shouto forced himself to take a breath, wringing his hands in worry as to how this would change Ani’s view of him. Of his family. She once said his mother sounded like a wonderful person and he didn’t want to change that opinion but knew he had to tell her the truth.
“In reality...it was my mother,” he said softly and though Ani stifled her gasp she couldn’t hide how her eyes widened. She stayed silent, frozen as he continued. “The older I became...the more I trained...the more my mother saw my father in me...and after all the years of her marriage to him...she finally broke. She...threw boiling water on me when I surprised her walking into a room.” His eyes were unfocused, reliving the painful memory. “My father was furious. Not because she harmed one of his children but because she damaged his most prized possession. That’s all we are to him. All we’ve ever been. So, he sent her away to get help...And she hasn’t been home since.”

Shouto sighed. “I visited her today...before training I went to see her at the hospital...to tell her about you.” His eyes finally shifted back to her and his heart fell at her fearful expression, losing all words in a feeling of hopelessness.

“Shouto...” Ani whispered, worried. “Is...is she okay?”

His brow furrowed. “What?”

“Your mom...you said you saw her at the hospital...is she okay?” Ani asked lightly placing a hand on his arm.

“She...she’s a hospital for mental health...” Shouto’s chest went cold having to explain it, knowing it would drive Ani away.

“Yes, I gathered that much,” Ani said unfazed. “If she’s been there since you’ve been a child, that means she never recovered and she’s not well. I’m heartbroken and scared for her.”

Understanding slowly bloomed in Shouto’s mind. “You’re...you’re scared for her?” For her. Not of her.

“Yes...” Ani looked puzzled at Shouto’s confused expression. “Shouto...what’s wrong?”

“I...I just told you. My mother’s been in a hospital for mental health since I was a child.” He stared at Ani. “For throwing boiling water on me.”

“Yes...and that’s awful. I’m horrified for what you went through as a child...but you’ve also told me your mother has helped you accept both of your powers as your own. So, I thought—I assumed—Oh, Sho, I’m so sorry. I assumed that you and your mother had restored your relationship!” Ani brought a hand to her mouth.

Shouto was so confused. “Wait. Hold on...” His eyes were boring into her. “Can--can we start over...why did you ask if she was okay?”

“Well, I assumed the two of you had repaired your relationship—which again, I’m so sorry I assumed that—and so I thought you went to the hospital to see her because something with her health was wrong again—”

Shouto grasped her face in his hands and brought their lips together like magnets. He could feel the confusion in the hesitation of her response and he pulled back to see her.

“Ani...you didn’t assume incorrectly. You’re right. When I was in high school, I finally went to see her and we talked about everything...we did repair our relationship. I was just so worried about you being freaked out about what she did and being put into a hospital afterwards that I assumed you would’ve forgotten what I said about her and maybe decide that it was too weird and wouldn’t have wanted to be with me anymore.”

Ani let out a heaving exhale. “You were worried I was...was going to reject you because of her? Because of what she did while living with your abusive father?” Shouto nodded. “Sho...My heart hurts for your younger self and what you went through but...if your mother helped you that much since then...and you’ve forgiven her...I have no reason to fear her. Or be upset with her.” It was like Ani could see the weight floating away from Shouto’s shoulders.

She saw how long he had carried this secret in fearful shame for being judged. For his mother being judged. A chain around his heart broke as he felt accepted by this person. Light poured from his eyes and Ani saw it again: the lifetime he’d lived without a constant source of loving support. Her heart nearly broke for him but she urged herself to look to the future. She couldn’t make-up for the times he’d been alone but she could make sure he wasn’t alone again.

Ani took his hand and pulled him up from the couch. Shouto, in a daze, followed her as the edges of his vision blurred and he saw her, only her. He barely registered where she was leading him until she gently guided him down to the bed. His eyes softened with years of emotional pain, suffering, and neglect as she lay down next to him and did something he couldn’t remember anyone doing before.

She held him.

She wrapped her arms around him and pulled against herself feeling the selfish need to hold him as if she could submerge him in her love. He buried his head in her chest and set his sexual urges to the side for the moment as he relaxed into her and realized it was in her arms that he felt at home.

Shouto’s weight sank against Ani and she tightened her hold on him wrapping as much of her lean body around his muscular one as she could. An internal battle raged within her as she tried to ignore the glorious sculpting of his body and the strength stored in his muscles. She kept telling herself over and over ‘it’s not the time it’s not the time for that’ and chided her body’s overly-enthusiastic response to the pressure of his head on her breasts.

She held him like that, as calmly as she could, for several long moments until she felt his whole body become rigid. She feared he could sense what was happening within her and was going to be put off. What she couldn’t see was how red Shouto’s face had become when he finally noticed where and how he was laying: on her chest.

He was so embarrassed...he must have made her feel so uncomfortable! She was offering him affection and here he was, taking advantage of her. He steadied himself and gently lifted himself off her chest to find her, sure enough, chewing on her lips and blushing deeply with her eyes pressed together. Guilt began to wiggle in his chest and he tried to pull back from her embrace.

Before he was able to get out of her arms she flung him down. Shouto inhaled sharply as he was pushed down into the bed and only a second later his girlfriend’s weight was on top of him and her mouth crushed into his. He was stunned for a moment as she held her weight with a hand next to his head and ran her other hand over his cheek, bringing his face to hers as her soft, warm lips pushed and pulled at his own. His brain was short-circuiting.

Ani froze eyes popping open and she pulled away, sitting back on his body and covered her mouth as her eyes widened in shock. “Shouto, I’m sorry! I’m so so sorry!” She down at him, horrified at forcing herself on him and was about to climb off of him when he grabbed her waist, brain finally shifting into action.

“Don’t stop,” he quietly, pleadingly demanded.

Her eyes deepened, darkened with lust as she let go of her restraint.

She fell to his lips again and this time his own soft mouth responded moving to match her motions and enthusiasm. His hands rubbed up and down her legs and around to the back of her hips to palm her ass. Her hips circled in reaction, grinding against him as her hands followed every curve and shape of his face and ran through his hair.

She could feel the familiar coil begin to form deep inside herself but decided to put her own satisfaction on hold. When he sat up, trying to give the space between her legs purchase for friction she pushed him back down.

She kissed along his jaw, sucking and kissing along the tendons in his neck, satisfied with his sharp breaths as she teased the corner of his neck and shoulder. Tentatively, she unbuttoned the top button of his shirt. When he didn’t protest she continued down the line. He sat up when she made it to the bottom so she could push the shirt down over his shoulders, kissing his neck again. Once his undershirt was off, too, he laid back down.

Ani took a moment to savor the handsome and magnificent man underneath her. She ran her fingers along his muscles, appreciating the years of hard work and training that shaped him, and felt a few small scars. She made a note in her mind to ask him about them later. For now, she had one goal in mind.

Shouto expected her to return to their kiss and was disappointed when she leaned down to kiss the center of his chest. His disappointment soon faded as her lips pressed light kisses into a line down to his stomach. Through the thin line of red and white hair that trailed over his belly button. With every tender kiss he grew harder and harder with the idea of what she was doing.

When she ran out of bare skin to kiss she unbuckled his belt. Undid the button and pulled the zipper down. Her mouth kissed the rock-hard erection through his boxer-briefs as she shimmied his pants down his hips and off altogether.

Her fingertips slipped under the top of his underwear, teasing the bare skin underneath as she continued massaging his dick through his underwear with her mouth. He moaned softly keeping his hips from grinding up into her face.

Slowly she pulled his underwear down, letting the cool air breeze over him, and slipped it off his legs. Shouto looked down his own naked body as Ani sat between his legs and bent down to his dick resting on half-white, half-red pubic hair.

He stared, mesmerized, as she dragged her warm, wet tongue along his length from base to tip. She licked his tip once, twice, relishing the way his breath became ragged and he moaned deeply when she brought her mouth down around his cock enveloping him in such warmth, such wetness that he couldn’t help the thrust of his hips, lightly jabbing her in the back of the throat.

“Sorry,” he breathed, barely able to get the word out. She glanced up, hoping to assure him everything was okay but his eyes were pressed shut tightly in pleasure. Feeling encouraged she hollowed out her cheeks and began sucking on him in earnest. She worked her tongue along each side as she bobbed her head up and down, tracing veins that bulged.

He moaned again between deep, ragged breaths. She tightened her lips, increasing the pressure of each pass in and out of her mouth as her spit coated his dick.

“Oh...Oh, Ani...” Each breath became a moan. She made sure to flick her tongue over the tip every few bobs and could feel his release beginning to build, precum hinting a taste of what was to cum. He kept his hips from thrusting up into her moist mouth but couldn’t help the more subtle movements in response to her motions.

“I—I-I'm going to—I'm going to—” he fought for breath as she cupped his balls and added her hand to the base of his shaft, pumping what she couldn’t fit in her mouth and felt his cock throb. Hot, salty sperm shot out, filling her mouth with each throb of his cock and she swallowed as much as she could. What little dribbled out she licked off her lips and sucked his cock, licking any semen left behind.

Shouto was panting, out of breath and ran his hands through his own hair, eyes closed in euphoria. Ani was happily gazing down at him when he parted his eyes.

“Thank you,” he said breathlessly and sat up. He kissed her taking her lips by surprise, unfazed by the slight taste of himself on her. “That was amazing.”

She grinned, blushing uncontrollably. “I’m glad,” she replied softly.

Shouto was gazing at her so intensely basking in the warmth of her affection, both physical and emotional and wondered how he got so lucky.

“What are you thinking about?” Ani asked.

“You,” he said. The depth of his voice made her shiver and added wetness to the already damp pool in her panties. His eyes roamed her body. He had the sudden urge to find out how she tasted. And she squirmed under his ravenous expression. He wrapped his arms around her snaking his hands up her back and kissing her neck in a plan to devour her. She became weak, melting under his strength and firm grasp but she protested.

“Shouto...” she moaned. He wanted to hear more of it but she gently pulled his face back.

His eyes churned back at her. He could hear something in her tone telling him there wouldn’t be a chance for it.

“We have to get ready for the party now,” she said in defeat.

“We can be late,” Shouto said and went right back to her neck. She let him leave a mark and another before sighing.

“I don’t want to make a bad impression on all your friends.”

Shouto grumbled against her skin, hoping the marks would stay there long enough for other people to see. He could always take her to a corner and mark her again if he wanted. Knowing that he sighed and released her.

Chapter 24: A Party

Chapter Text

Ani could see the apprehension clearly across Shouto’s face as they parked. She slid her hand into his when they were out of the car and kissed the back of his cool hand. The corners of his mouth tipped up in a small smile, features softening at the reminder of her presence.

Mina offered to host the party and was the one who excitedly pulled the apartment door open with a huge smile.

“Todoroki! Shida!!” She exclaimed and stepped aside to welcome them into her colorful, eclectic home. Ani clutched Shouto’s hand as all the faces turned to them.

They moved slowly through the room and Ani met everyone there one-by-one. At least half of their class had been able to make it to the last-minute party. She met Sato, who included his pro hero name: Sugarman, and Froppy who insisted Ani call her Tsu. Tsu’s boyfriend was there with her and greeted Ani with a wave of his webbed-fingered-hand. A pair of jeans and a hoodie came over, the hollow sleeve waving as a voice introduced herself as Hagakure the stealth hero: invisible girl.

Ani happily greeted Kaminari and Kirishima who left Bakugo to sulk in a corner while they properly introduced themselves to her. They also introduced Sero and his fiancé, a preschool teacher who conveniently had eyes in the back of her head.

Kaminari brought a reluctant Ani to meet Creati and Jiro who were as cold as Ani imagined—Creati more so than Jiro who was preoccupied deflecting Kaminari’s flirtatious comments. Jiro’s boyfriend had been unable to make it to the party; he had to work late in his recording studio.

Lastly, Ani met Iida who was their old class rep and his wife, a tired-looking but kind stay-at-home-mom. Once the introductions were over Mina clapped and threw her hands in the air.

“Time to draw straws!!”

“Draw straws?” Ani asked Shouto with a worried look.

He nodded but Iida answered first. “As alumni of the respected UA and top, professional heroes we must conduct ourselves in behavior fitting for that of our roles and organizations. Even when we’re relaxing and engaging in social activities we still must uphold our reputations—”

“Simply put,” Shouto cut him off and Mina finished explaining.

“We draw straws to see who drinks and who stays sober!” She cheered. She appeared in front of Ani holding a fistful of straws. “If you draw a straw with a black stripe, you drink!”

“Do...Do I have to?” Ani glanced around worried about offending them.

“Of course not,” Shouto answered before anyone could pressure her, jokingly or not. Mina offered them both her fistful and Shouto shook his head politely.

“Tch, yeah,” Bakugo grumbled from the corner. Everyone turned to him to hear the first thing he’d said since Ani and Shouto had arrived. He pushed up out of his chair and trudged over as he added “the half-and-half bastard never drinks.”

Bakugo reached in front of Ani and chose a straw from where Mina still offered it to Ani. The straw had a black stripe. “Looks like it’s my lucky night,” he said and pushed his way through the small group to get to Mina’s kitchen. He began lining bottles and mixers out on the counter as Ani politely declined to draw a straw.

Kaminari and Sero, Mina and Tsu’s boyfriend also drew black-stripes. So did Momo, much to Ani’s concern. Iida drew a straw and prepared to properly participate as the social situation dictated. He informed Ani they had this system so half of the party would stay sober and be able to respond to any emergencies should something occur, before going to the kitchen.

Last to draw was Kirishima. He was watching his best friend finish chugging his first drink and starting to pour his second when Mina appeared in front of him. He drew a black straw but after another glance at Bakugo he offered it to Sato.

Ani smiled, happily chatting with Tsu and Iida’s wife. Shouto and Kirishima were recruited to set up the beer pong table even though they weren’t drinking and Ani noticed them exchanging quiet, hushed words.

Eventually the party drifted into natural groups and Ani was doing her best to socialize with everyone. She tried talking to Yaoyorozu, too, but was given the shoulder, literally. The doorbell rang with an announcement from the front desk for their food delivery and Shouto and Kirishima went off to get it. They were met with cheers when they returned with pizza, salad, and wings—a surprisingly American meal that filled the apartment with mouth-watering smells. Everyone dug in.

Ani and Shouto ate with Sero and his fiance, and Sato as everyone else clustered off into their own groups. After they were finished Sato laid out a buffet of sweets. Ani’s mouth dropped.

“You made all this?!” She asked, eyes bulging in excitement.

He grinned and explained his quirk; Ani understood after that. Shouto stood at her side feeling the happiness glow out of her as she asked Sato about each one and began tasting, having small samples of each one, to Sato’s delight, with a positive reaction to each.

The doorbell rang again. Ani wondered how much more food she could eat as Mina skipped to the door and looked through the peephole. With a happy half-shout she flung the door open and wrapped a brown-haired girl in a big hug. They floated for a moment, laughing excitedly, until Uraraka set them down again. The crowd started to move to the door welcoming the addition and Ani noticed a small smile spread on Shouto’s face. She glanced back at the door and did a double-take.

A jovial, freckled, jade-haired hero stepped inside.

Ani’s heart throbbed heavily with every beat as she watched her personal hero and idol step into the apartment to join the party.

She blinked in disbelief as he smiled at his old classmates surrounding them and she couldn’t make her feet move. In the back of her mind she had known meeting Deku was a possibility after becoming Shouto’s girlfriend. She just never expected it so soon. Her arms went limp and the plate she was holding slipped from her hand. Shouto’s hands flew out and caught the plate before it crashed to the ground and made a mess. Midoriya was still greeting his old friends as Ani watched in awkward awe.

Shouto leaned down to her, thinking her awestruck face was cute. “Are you okay?”

“I-I,” Ani quietly stuttered looking into the deep two-toned eyes of her boyfriend. “I didn’t think he would be here tonight.”

“Well,” Shouto smirked. “He is an old classmate and friend.”

Ani’s eyes narrowed playfully at him. “Did you know he was going to be here?”

“I knew there was a chance,” he said with a grin.

“And you didn’t tell me?!” Ani’s voice nearly disappeared as it went up an octave.

He shrugged. “I didn’t know if he would be here or not for sure and didn’t want to get your hopes up. If he didn’t come, I didn’t want you to spend the whole party being let down and unable to have fun.”

Someone scoffed from behind them. Ani and Shouto turned at the same time to see Bakugo not far away, arms crossed and scowling. He sneered “as if Deku not showing up would be a bad thing.”

“Hi Todoroki, Hi Kachaan,” someone from behind them said. Ani’s face immediately flushed and Shouto savored her reaction as she slowly turned around to see her idol standing in front of her.

“Hello,” he said with a friendly smile. “I’m Midoriya Izuku. It’s nice to meet you.”

Ani’s face only reddened as she tried to make her mouth respond and everyone watched her shocked expression.

“Midoryia, this is my girlfriend, Shida Ani,” Shouto mercifully introduced her.

Ani bowed her head and forced out a dry “hello.”

“Deku! Ochaco!” Mina called out from the kitchen, immune to the awkwardness. “We already drew straws but we have an even group. Does one of you want to drink?”

Midoriya glanced at the brown-haired girl who came to his side. “Would you like to drink?” He asked her. “I don’t want to.”

“Sure,” she said with a happy smile and turned to Ani. “Nice to meet you. I’m Uraraka Ochaco, ‘Zuku’s girlfriend.”

“I’m Shida Ani. Nice to meet you,” Ani said in barely more than a whisper before Uraraka went off to meet Momo and Jiro in the Kitchen.

Bakugo stormed past to get another drink from the kitchen and Midoryia’s attention returned to Shouto, sensing Ani needed a minute. He wanted to know how things had been for Shouto. As the party resumed and general chatter filled the air again, Ani began to relax. But, before Ani found the courage to actually talk to Midoriya his girlfriend called him away to be on her team for beer pong.

Shouto turned to Ani, taken aback when he saw disappointment on her face. “Ani, what’s wrong?”

“He probably thinks I’m some insane weirdo fan-girl who can’t function normally!” She quietly fretted. “I’m so sorry Shouto! I’m such an embarrassment!” She tried to cover her face but Shouto’s soft hands made it there first. He kept her face turned toward him and smiled.

“Midoriya has looked at so many heroes just like that. Random people sometimes, too. More than anyone can count. So I don’t think he’s the least bit fazed by your reaction.” His thumbs gently stroked her pink cheeks. “And you are not an embarrassment to me.” Momentarily forgetting everyone else in the room he lightly pressed his lips to hers.

“OW, OW!” Kaminari tastelessly shouted, drawing everyone’s attention to the kiss. “Yeah, you two love birds!!”

Ani’s cheeks flamed when Shouto pulled back as a mixed reaction swept across the room, crescendo-ing intensely at Yaoyorozu. Seething rage and jealousy burned on her face before she stormed off down a hall and Jiro chased after her with Uraraka in tow.

With Midoriya suddenly teammate-less, Ani and Shouto were called to play pong. Under the condition they didn’t need to drink they agreed and played against Sero and Sato.

Ani and Shouto won. They grinned and gave each other double-high-fives resisting the urge to kiss again. Tsu and her boyfriend went next and Ani and Shouto claimed another victory. Laughing and having an amazing time, Ani didn’t see Bakugo step up to the other side of the table with a devilish grin.

“Alright goldilocks,” he said with an eerie calm. “Let’s do this.” He stared only at Ani as he issued the challenge.

Kirishima appeared at his side, throwing an arm around his best friend in an attempt to lighten the mood. “Whaddya say we make it interesting?” The red-head said with a gentle smile. “Losers buy the winners breakfast.”

Ani glanced between them and spoke without thinking. “That’s so sweet. I didn’t know you guys were a couple!”

Bakugo screamed “WHAT?!” in the same moment Shouto burst into laughter.

Their friends were so taken aback by Ani’s comment, Shouto’s reaction, and Bakugo’s explosions rocking the table that none of them knew what to do until Kirishima’s laugh joined Shouto’s. Laughter slowly bubbled around the room and Ani looked around warily until Shouto finally caught his breath.

“They’re not dating, just best friends,” he said kissing the top of her head. “But Kirishima—we're not staying over so that won’t work.”

Some strange reaction passed over Bakugo’s face but before he could react Kirishima said “eehh, that’s too bad.” He tapped his chin. “How about...we just get to ask a question for every shot we make? Get to know you better?” He glanced at his friend, then Ani.

Ani shrugged. “Sure, that’s fine with me,” Ani said as she looked to Shouto’s unreadable expression. He was scrutinizing Bakugo who stared right back at him as Kirishima started setting up. Ani tentatively started setting up their side and Shouto’s attention widened, helping her.

“The air in here just go so weird, didn’t it?” Kaminari whispered not-so-quietly to Sero who nodded. The crowd shifted closer to the game after what happened and watched with rapt attention as Kirishima sunk the first shot.

“Nice!” He cheered for himself. He smiled and directed his question at Ani. “Where are you from?”

“I grew up outside of Dagoben and moved into the city after high school.”

“Oh cool. What district of Dagoben do you live in?” Kirishima asked.

“Fog district,” she answered.

“Our agency is in fog district!” Kirishima said with a grin. He elbowed Bakugo who rolled his eyes and shot his ball into a cup.

“That was a lame first question,” Bakugo said to his teammate. He turned his sharp gaze to Ani. “Who was your first kiss?”

Ani laughed once, hoping Shouto wouldn’t be upset by the question. “It was my lab partner in middle school.” She tossed her shot, hoping to move on quickly.

“Okay...Kirishima! Where are you from?”

“Born in the Chiba prefecture. Moved to Musutafu for UA,” he said with a grin.

Shouto took his shot. “You can ask my questions. I want you to get to know everyone,” he kindly offered to Ani.

“Thanks,” she said with a grateful smile. “Okay, Bakugo. Same question!”

Bakugo rolled his eyes. “I went to UA for highschool. Nothing else matters.”

“He went to the same middle school as Midoriya!” Tsu offered from the audience.

“Really?!” Ani’s eyes lit up and flicked once to Deku who was watching with slightly pinked cheeks before returning to Bakugo. “You went to middle school with Midoriya?”

“Tch,” Bakugo said with a scoff. “He went to middle school with me.”

“Same thing,” Ani said, eyes still shining. “That’s really cool."

Bakugo’s lip twitched angrily and he took his shot before Kirishima could get a ball. Angered by Ani’s happy expression at the mention of Deku he took a cheap shot with his question.

“Are you a virgin?”

The happy look on Ani’s face disappeared in the same instant Shouto stiffened. Someone said Bakugo’s name disapprovingly and Iida stood up saying “Bakugo! That is a highly personal question, not to mention invasive and inappropriate!”

“It’s alright,” Ani gently said to Iida. “We’re all adults here..." turning back to her opponents she answered "and no, I’m not.”

Bakugo’s grin spread in a menacingly content way and Kirishima took his shot, hoping to dispel the tension.

“Okay Ani, what’s your birthday?”

Her expression relaxed a little. “June 30th.”

“Cool!” Kaminari called out. “Mine’s June 29th!”

“Neat!” Ani said giving him a smile. She took her shot but missed. “Damn,” she said with a light-hearted smile as Shouto made his.

“What do you want to know?” He asked her.

“Hm...” She tapped her chin. “Kirishima, what’s your birthday?”

Kirishima grinned despite his teammate’s scowl. “October 16th." He went to take his shot but Bakugo launched his shot across the table first. “Who took your virginity?" He asked Ani with villainous glee as he saw Shouto’s brow dip in irritation.

From the corner of her eye Ani saw Shouto’s jaw clench and she said the first that came to her mind. “Your mom.”

A tense laugh burst from someone in the group watching and Ani’s heart relaxed a little as Shouto did. Kirishima took his shot and missed, badly. Ani reached to grab it before it bounced away but missed and it rolled away across the floor. Ani went after it. Kirishima used the moment of her distraction to growl in his teammate’s ear.

“Dude what the hell are you doing?!”

Bakugo just rolled his eyes and crossed his arms as Ani returned to the table. “Fine. What’s your blood type.”

Ani smiled in relief. “O negative.”

Ani made her shot. “Kirishima...how did you become friends with Bakugo?”

He seemed genuinely surprised by the question. “It was during our first year at U.A. Did you know we were all attacked once by the League of Villains in our first year?”

Somber quiet fell over the room and Ani nodded. “At USJ.”

Kirishima nodded in agreement. “Bakugo and I ended up fighting together when a warp villain separated our class. Once we took down every villain around us Bakugo wanted to go find our teacher and the brazen leaders threatening to kill All Might. He didn’t have any concern about our classmates fighting whatever villains they faced, confident they would be victorious...That faith in others, in our classmates, was really cool and showed me the kind of manly hero he was. Made me want to be friends with him even if he is a total time-bomb.”

“The hell?!” Bakugo turned to admonish the insult but stopped when Ani’s voice fell upon his ears.

“Wow, that’s...that’s actually pretty cool of you Bakugo,” Ani looked at him. Her expression was mostly unreadable but there was a faint echo of respect. Of how she looked at him in the hospital. It made Bakugo’s sour comment sink back, replaced by an unintelligible grumble.

Shouto watched Bakugo’s reaction and his suspicion was confirmed. He knew. He knew Bakugo was in love with Ani. There was no way a simple comment like that from a random person could stop Bakugo in his tracks like that. He felt a spark ignite in his chest, jealously roused from someone else having feelings for his girlfriend. He tentatively glanced at Ani, fearing she would still be looking admiringly at Bakugo but she was looking at him instead. Her smile was warm and inviting as she offered him a ping-pong ball.

“Your turn,” she said having already moved on from Kirishima’s story. When Shouto didn’t take the ball right away, worry tipped her brow. “Are you okay?”

Relief eased into his chest and he smiled. “Yes, sorry.” He took the ball and made his shot. “Your question.”

“Hmm...” Ani scrunched her lips for a moment before asking “Kirishima, books or movies?”

“Movies!”

“Hell yeah,” Bakugo echoed giving his friend an elbow jab and missing the cute glance Ani gave Shouto.

Kirishima took his shot first this time. “Okay, okay...I’ll give you an easy one. Who’s your favorite hero?”

The room took a collective breath in and held it as Ani’s cheeks tinted pink. She was more sensitive to this question than she realized. “Well...for a long time...it was Deku.” Ani’s eyes focused down on the table in a mix of emotions. She felt vulnerable admitting that in front of everyone, especially Midoriya. “But...now...” her eyes slowly rose to Shouto. “It’s you...after meeting you and learning about you and getting to know you and all the things that make you who you are...it’s you.”

Shouto blushed under her admiring, loving gaze and felt the rush of being seen and appreciated for who he was all over again. He wanted to wrap her in his arms but held back because of the audience.

For Bakugo those were the two worst answers she could have given. He saved her life! And ugh, the way she looked at Shouto with such love, such admiration, made a tide of white-hot rage surge in his chest. A small ‘ploop’ broke the atmosphere and before Ani could look away from Shouto a venomous voice asked “have you two fucked?”

Color rose to Ani’s cheeks but it was not from embarrassment. It was lust. It was something she thought about a lot since she first met Shouto and she had wanted it. Bad. But she never wanted to rush him or make him feel uncomfortable. Shouto’s eyes darkened in his own desire, illuminating his blue eye and sent shivers down her spine.

“What is happening?” Kaminari asked in the building tension.

Bakugo meant to embarrass them. He’d been trying to find a fault, a place to drive a wedge and create an opportunity for himself but instead it seemed like they were just...getting closer. He muffled the snarl that rolled in his chest. “Not surprised this loser hasn’t made a move yet,” Bakugo sneered.

Ani’s face hardened as she turned to him, starting to get frustrated. “What is your problem?!” She demanded.

He scowled at her. “I don’t have a problem.”

“Yes, you do.” Ani stood her ground. “You’ve been mean to me from the very beginning and I don’t know what I ever did to make you hate me!”

Bakugo’s arms fell uncrossed and his expression shifted without relaxing. “I don’t hate you…I wouldn’t bother wasting energy on random extras.”

Ani’s fists clenched and she forced herself to take a deep breath. “Excuse me,” she said and walked away from the table. Shouto went with her and led her to the balcony sensing she didn’t know where to go for privacy and he closed the door behind them.

“Are you alright?” He asked as he took her hand and they sat next to each other at the small table. He could feel her hand trembling as her other wiped away a tear.

“I’m sorry,” she said softly, again worried she embarrassed him. “That was uncalled for on my part. I’m sorry I lost my temper in front of everyone like that. I just don’t have the same patience and understanding of him like the rest of you.”

“I don’t think any of us really understand him," Shouto said squeezing her hand. “I never have.”

Her eyes roamed the view from Mina’s apartment and soft sounds of the city drifted up on the night breeze. Ani began to relax. Shouto’s mind was still clinging to what she said. “What did you mean when you said he was mean to you from the very beginning?”

“Well,” Ani sighed. “He didn’t know anything about me or my quirk or what I did around the hospital so...when he saw me sleeping he didn’t know it was because I was regenerating…He thought I was being lazy. I know it couldn’t have really looked like anything else and a nurse shouldn’t be sleeping on the job but it always rubbed me the wrong way that he made comments without taking the time to fully understand.”

“Was this the morning after you saved him?”

“Yes, and the morning after you were in the ER.” Ani explained further when she saw his brow dip. “I refused to let Aino put me in a bed to regenerate and lose a spot for patients so I slept outside the room where you had been, in a chair, and when I woke up the next day Bakugo was in the ER. He called me a lazy leech.”

Shouto’s unoccupied hand clenched and unclenched making flames flicker in the dark light. “He’s always been an insensitive, unempathetic—”

“Ass,” Ani finished for him. She gave him a smile and his flames extinguished. He relaxed and rubbed his cold thumb on the back of her hand as she leaned on him. He smiled and kissed the top of her head.

The sliding glass door opened and a puff of jade hair leaned out. “Mind if I join you?” Midoriya asked. Ani stiffened for a moment and sat up but Shouto kept his grip on her hand, gently rubbing it to keep her calm.

“Not at all,” he answered and gestured to the empty seats.

Midoriya sat across from Ani, next to Shouto. “I’m sorry about Kachaan. He’s always been a bit...intense.”

“It’s not your fault,” Ani said quietly and relieved she finally could talk to him. “I’m sorry if I ruined the mood of the party.”

“No, not at all!” He waved his hands in front of himself. “No one was put out. We’ve all experienced Bakugo enough that we understand.”

Ani smiled meekly. “How did you ever make it through middle school with him?”

Midoriya chuckled awkwardly. “I was actually friends with him long before that. Even before he got his quirk.”

Ani’s eyes widened. “That long?” When Midoriya nodded she asked “was he always like this?”

Midoriya sighed. “Yes and no…but please be forgiving and patient with our friend. He can be a really great person.”

“When he wants to be,” Shouto quietly added. Midoriya nodded and Ani remembered how gentle he had been when he found her in the park.

“You’re right,” Ani relented. “But that doesn’t make it okay for him to be a jerk the rest of the time.”

“That’s true,” Midoriya said. “I did tell him to come apologize but you can imagine how well that went.”

“I have no expectations for that,” Ani said with a hint of something more in her voice.

Years of attentive watching and listening caught that hint in Midoriya’s ears. “What do you mean?” He asked.

“Ani saved Bakugo’s life,” Shouto answered when he felt Ani’s humble nature take over. “And I don’t think he ever actually said thank you. Did he?”

Ani shook her head. Her eyes fell for a moment before noticing Midoriya’s wide, awed gaze. “You saved Kachaan’s life?!”

Ani nodded. Midoriya’s eyes widened. “How? Will you tell me? What’s your quirk?” The questions spilled out and his eyes lit up like they used to when he spent years watching others with quirks.

Ani blushed, too flattered to be embarrassed. “I-I can regenerate from any injury...and a while ago I discovered my blood can help others heal, too. So when Bakugo was hurt in the hospital I gave him blood and it saved him.” She grimaced. “The hospital where I work found out though and wanted to tell me when and how to use my quirk and blood for themselves.”

“Like their own personal fountain of youth,” Shouto said disdainfully.

Ani’s expression fell. “Exactly…So I quit.” The air became heavy.

“And I’m trying to get her to come work for me,” Shouto said, trying to keep her spirits up. “To run a health clinic for the heroes in my agency.”

“That sounds amazing!” Midoriya crooned supportively.

“You think so?” Ani asked, a spark of hope igniting in her chest.

“Of course!” Midoriya said with a huge grin. “I don’t know who or what or where I’d be if it wasn’t for the amazing clinic at U.A.! Recovery girl is the reason I’m still around.”

Shouto held his tongue, clinging to the hope beginning to shine in his own chest that this could convince Ani to work with him.

Ani blinked. “So...you don’t think I would be failing others if I didn’t go back to an ER?”

“Failing others?” Midoriya asked in confusion.

“I’m worried if I’m not in the ER, I won’t be using my quirk to its full potential,” she said looking down at her hands.

Midoriya watched her looking at her own hands like he used to. “I think you’ll find a way to use it to the best of its limits, no matter where you are, as long as you’re looking to help others.

Ani looked up at Midoriya with shining eyes, mouth opening and closing as she tried to find words. He smiled reassuringly. “Do you want to work with Todoroki?” He asked and Ani nodded. “Then you’ll find a way to go beyond.”

Ani’s smile slowly grew and stretched from ear-to-ear as her eyes pooled with overwhelming feelings. “Thank you,” she said with reverence and Midoriya saw an echo of himself after All Might told him he could be a hero.

“I look forward to seeing what you two accomplish together,” Midoriya said smiling at them both. They turned to smile at each other and Shouto’s hopes were burning in his chest. He knew she could see it in his eyes but he stayed quiet.

The sliding glass door opened again and Uraraka came out. “Hey ‘Zuku,” she gave her boyfriend a warm smile and a polite nod to the other two. “I’m going to take Momo home."

“Oh, okay,” He said and stood up. “I’ll come with you and help.” He turned to the pair still sitting and bowed his head. “Todoroki it was great seeing you again and Shida, it was an honor to meet you.”

Ani shot up from her seat, yanking on Shouto’s arm in enthusiasm making him smile. “The honor was all mine!”

“Good to see you, too,” Shouto said standing up and gave him a bow, too. They watched Midoriya and Uraraka leave before he pulled her to him and took a deep breath of her smell. He brought his lips to her ear and said “let me know when you want to go, too.”

The smoldering timber in his voice lit a lustful flame between Ani’s legs. She looked up into his eyes and felt her lips burn with a craving to be on him. “I think I’d like to leave now,” she said in a libidinous whisper. “Will you spend the night with me?”

He wove his fingers into her hair and brought her lips close to his own. So close she could feel the air moving around them but not close enough to give her the contact she craved. “Yes, but my house is closer. Will you stay with me?”

Ani nodded, cheeks warm with a hunger for him and he felt his cock begin to swell. He pulled away from her mouth, unsure if he could stop himself if they started. Midoriya and Uraraka, Yaoyorozu, and Jiro had already left and the party was still going strong for everyone inside. Everyone except Bakugo who was nowhere in sight. They gave brief goodbyes to everyone still around and were soon in Shouto’s car on the way to his house.

Chapter 25: After-Party Snacks

Notes:

*NSFW*

Chapter Text

On the way back to Shouto’s they stopped to get Ani a toothbrush and toiletries to keep at his house. Shouto didn’t offer to stop anywhere for clothing, in part because he was impatient to get home and also in part because he wanted her in his clothes...or naked.

He kept thinking about the party. About her. The way her face shined with excitement over desserts and how she offered politeness to Yaoyorozu despite being treated poorly. Her indifference to Bakugo, well...most of him, and the admiration she had for Midoriya. Oh god and that admission...about how he had become her favorite hero. Remembering the way she looked at him was enough to warm his blood and bring color to his face. And all the other little moments they shared that made him feel no matter who she was talking to, no matter what she was doing she never forgot about him. He was always there, right there with her in her mind. Holding hands. Glances and smiles.

He gripped the steering wheel and thought about Bakugo’s irritating attempts at...whatever he was trying to do during beer pong. Admittedly, Shouto had been curious to know if Ani was a virgin. He’d been trying not to make any assumptions either way but having that knowledge made his mind run wild and infuse him with a hunger to have her for himself.

She held his hand for the trip home, parting only when they were in the store and to get out of the car. He waited until the elevator doors closed to grab her hips and bring her close. He kissed her temples, inhaling her dizzying smell as she pressed her kisses into the crook of his neck and sent blood rushing to his member.

He lifted her and spun them around to press her against the wall. She wrapped her legs around his waist as he took her mouth in an open-mouth kiss, spreading her lips and let his strong, wet tongue invade her. The elevator stopped and the doors parted but Shouto didn’t let her go. He held her thighs in his firm grasp as she squeezed her legs around him and held onto his shoulders so he could carry her into their apartment without breaking their kiss.

She could feel the power in his body as his muscles flexed and breezed through his doorway, locking the door behind them and passed through his apartment. She let him ferry her, not caring where he was going until he gently set her down. He pulled back to stare at her as she lay beneath him. In her peripheral vision she saw she was in his room, on his bed.

Shouto felt his erection stiffening feeling her under his body like this and he was about to rip her clothes off when she placed a hand on his face. She was breathing heavily, as drawn into the sexual tension as he was, but something about the gesture made him pause.

“What is it?” He asked, worried he went too far.

Her eyes roamed his body with wanton need. “I...really want you, all of you, but I’m not going to let our first time together be in response to someone’s harassment.”

Shouto was too relieved not to hear anyone else’s name from her mouth, while she was in his bed, to care that she was saying she wanted to wait. A smile slowly parted his lips as a salacious idea came to him. “That’s fine...” his eyes drifted down her body and he knew what he wanted. “I’m happy to save it since I have something else in mind.”

Her chest rose and fell with heaving breaths and her nipples hardened under his stare. “What is it?” She asked.

His eyes returned to hers with a teasing burn. “You’ll have to wait and find out.”

She smiled and bit her lip. "I will try."

He clenched the sheets where he held himself above her and restrained his urges, insistent he take his time to get what he really wanted: his name.

He placed a light kiss on her lips before reaching down and lifting her shirt up. She helped get it over her head and she laid beneath him, breasts hid from him by blue lace; her body was tingling from the way he looked down at her bare skin. His first kiss was at the corner of her jaw, pressing his lips into the soft skin and placing one after another in a line down her neck, across her collar bone, and tantalizingly down the middle of her chest. He paused to latch onto the exposed skin and leave a mark on each breast, deep marks that would take longer to fade than the ones long-gone from her neck. She moaned softly at his ministrations, the possessive tug of his teeth against her skin.

He moved on before he got too distracted by her perky mounds and enjoyed Ani’s soft gasp as he continued his trail of kisses down the middle of her body mimicking how she treated him before the party. His hands traced her sides with opposite temperatures and she shuddered with pleasure that turned into panting breaths as he traced the top of her shorts and opened the zipper. He watched the color of her cheeks ripen as he pulled the fabric from her hips and slid it down, off her legs. The image was one worth burning into his mind. Her hair splayed out, one hand lost in the long blonde locks while the other laid restlessly to the side, and there was nothing on her bare skin except blue lace. Her breasts pushed against their prison, threatening to spill out with each breath and she brought her thighs together. She began rubbing them in heady need for some kind of friction as she opened her eyes and squirmed under his lustful gaze.

“W-what are you going to do to me?” She asked in an eager whisper.

Devour you. He thought but instead of answering out loud he slid his hands underneath her and up her back releasing her boobs. She gasped and closed her eyes as his mouth licked both nipples, tongue replaced by hot and cold fingers. She mewled as he tweaked and pinched her little nubs and left more marks along her upper chest and neck, pushing her sounds further and further until she sounded desperate and was trying to grind her hips up against him.

He slid a hand between her legs, under the lace, and traced her opening with a warm hand. It earned him another moan. Fueled by the sound, his fingers and mouth disappeared from her chest and she felt the lace panties disappearing from her body and her knees gently pushed apart. She was dripping. He wanted to savor this moment, too, and burn the image of her naked body fully exposed and aroused for him, only him, into his mind but he couldn’t. He was too impatient to make her scream.

He dove between her legs without warning. She cried out in delicious pleasure as he dragged his tongue up her, lapping at her folds. She felt his tongue, warm and wet, tracing every sensitive part of her and it made her hips move on their own but they didn’t get to do much. His hands were suddenly there, holding her lower body down at his mercy to taste and attack her as he pleased.

She was a panting, glistening mess as his tongue parted her and slipped inside. He stretched a hand and rubbed her clit with his thumb. “Ungh!” She cried out at the stimulation. The pressure on her clitoris increased and his touch heated with his quirk. She looked down her nude body and watched his white-and-red hair bobbing and dipping with each stroke of his tongue and she was dying to have more of him inside of her.

He looked up in that moment and saw her blue eyes unraveling with want and need. He switched the efforts of his tongue to her clit and teased the bundle of her nerves with flicks and licks as he plunged two fingers into her sopping wet cunt.

“UUHHH!” She closed her eyes and her back arched at the intoxicating stretch as he flexed and curled his fingers, leaving her gasping for breath, but it wasn’t enough. She wanted—needed more of him.

“More,” she hoarsely begged.

Feeling his own cock twitch at her request he groaned against her clit and obliged, adding another finger into her making sloppy sounds as her tight pussy began to clench around him. She was a moaning mess beginning to writhe and whine under his work on her body. He stretched his right arm, adding a frosty hand to her breast and played with the now-hard bud.

“Ahhh! Oh! OH!! OHHH!” Her voice became louder and louder with each passing moment and he kept the ferocious pace of his attack on her nerves and sensitive parts, sucking, squeezing, licking, flicking, scissoring, curling, stretching her in every possible way until she finally snapped. The orgasm rocked through her body and she finally cried out

“OH SH-SHOUTOOO!” and her body spasmed drenching his hand as her walls clenched around his hot digits. He squeezed her breast as he came, too, unable to hold back with the sound of his name on her lips and her taste on his tongue.

His name became a groan, deflated and weak from the crashing high still coursing across her nerves and she said it again as a breathless whisper “oh Shouto.” She opened her eyes to see him sitting above her, wiping his chin with a victorious grin on his face. She laughed and let her eyes flutter closed again.

“Thank you...” she sighed. “That...was amazing.”

He dipped down and licked a long, slow pass over her swollen, used parts and drew out another moan of his name from her.

“I could listen to my name on your lips like that all night,” he said.

She smiled, keeping her eyes closed. “I would be happy to say your name like that forever.”

“That works, too.” He sucked as much of her fluid off his fingers as possible while he got a warm, wet towel and wiped her, enjoying the small twitches of her body from the massaging of her aching cunt and clit. She smiled up at him, sweetly and appreciatively, and sat up to kneel on the bed when he finished. She pulled him close and kissed him, taking in her own taste without caring as she parted his lips.

“Thank you,” she said again, staring intently in his eyes when she pulled back. “Really.”

“You’re welcome.” He brushed hair back from her face with his clean hand and traced her cheek. “I love you, Ani.”

Ani's eyes widened. She felt as if a lock unclicked and her heart fully opened accepting all of him and all of his love into her own. She smiled and kissed him again. “I love you, Shouto,” she said as she cupped and nuzzled his face.

He grinned. “Now, that is how I could listen to you say my name...forever.”

“That works, too,” she said with a light laugh and he laughed with her. Not caring about the state of his hands, or the wet spot of his own end, she urged his arms around her and he held her, wrapping her close and tight against him.

“I love you,” he said again into her hair, eyes closed in a blissful state of peace.

“I love you, too,” she whispered happily back. She rested her head on his chest and basked in the glory and warmth and brightness of their love for each other.

 

After a long moment, holding her precious form against him, Shouto admitted “I need to change.”

He glanced down at the sticky spot between them and she smiled, offering him the wet cloth. He smiled and took it from her, giving her a quick kiss before going into the bathroom. He leaned out from behind the door to tell her “I want you to borrow any of my clothes. Please, make yourself comfortable.”

“Thanks,” she said and bounded out of bed as he closed the door. She chose a pair of his boxers and an old Todoroki Agency t-shirt to that hung from her form in a comfortable baggy way. She snuggled into the fabric and went out into the kitchen for something to drink. Shouto emerged from his room, pulling a shirt down over his toned chest, as she was taking two glasses down from a cabinet.

Seeing her moving around his apartment, in his clothes, felt right and the smile she gave him was worth everything. “Want some water?”

He nodded. “Yes, please.”

“Did you do some remodeling?” She asked, gesturing to the new countertop and stools.

Shouto rubbed the back of his neck. “Yeah...I was...a little upset after I found out what my fans did to you.” He sighed.

Ani smiled softly. “Try to take it out in the gym next time, okay? I don't want you to get hurt."

Relief and comfort warmed Shouto’s chest. “I can do that.”

They made a small plate of snacks to share and settled into the couch together to talk and eat. Inspired by the question game from the party they shared memories and talked about their lives late into the night.

Chapter 26: Where are you?

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ani and Shouto lay awake together the next morning in his bed, quietly sharing more stories about their past. They talked about what kind of dates they’d enjoyed in the past and things they wanted to do in the future. When Shouto got a phone call he reluctantly gave his phone a cursory glance and saw it was Midoriya. He answered on Ani’s urging and his old friend invited him out to breakfast.

“Go with him,” Ani encouraged him. “It would be good for you to catch up with your old friend and I’ll see you again later.”

“Promise?” He said leaning over her with a smile to give her a kiss. She smiled as they pressed their lips together and he rolled on top of her.

“I pr-m-se,” she said through smooshed lips under his and he pulled back to look over her beautiful, happy face.

“Okay.” He climbed off her with the promise and sent Midoriya his answer.

Ani gestured to his big, comfy shirt she was still wearing and asked “do you want me to put this in the wash?”

He shook his head with a smirk. “Save it for the next time you sleep over.”

She smiled. “Okay.” As they both readied themselves for the day Ani insisted she could take the train and buses home. She didn’t want to make him late for meeting Midoriya and felt a pit form in his stomach when the elevator doors closed, taking her away from him. She had been right, he admitted to himself, there wouldn’t be time to get her all the way home across the city and then all the way back to meet Midoriya. But there was still a small amount of time left before they planned to meet. It was just enough time for him to stop at the office and get some work done so he could see Ani sooner rather than later.

The agency was quiet. A few heroes were around, he was told by security, only those who were on duty for the day. On the way up to his office he received a call from the head of HR: Ani accepted the position. She had just called to give them her answer. Shouto felt like he was walking on a cloud when he got into his office and texted Ani.

Hey beautiful, got any plans tonight?

 

Not yet, hopefully seeing someone cute ;D You?

 

Oh...just taking my newest employee out for a celebratory dinner

 

What a nice boss you are ^-^

 

He grinned, bouncing his chair back. When can I pick you up?

 

Well...would it be too early to pick me up whenever you’re done with what you have to do today?

 

Not early enough. But it sounds great. I’ll see you as soon as I can

 

I look forward to it. I love you

 

His heart leaped as he read the words they said to each other the night before. No one in his family had ever been overly-affectionate so he was effected by simply seeing the words in a text. With swelling joy in his heart he responded: I love you too

 

Shouto sat back in his chair and cast his gaze over the view of the city, savoring the bright morning sunlight and the rich blue color of the sky. A few mountainous clouds rolled lazily in the distance. He was finally getting work done when the security guard called up to tell him his father was here.

His stomach hardened and he somberly rose from his chair when the elevator doors dinged. His father entered slowly as if there was an audience there who cared about his majestic entrance. He was still a hulk of a man but no longer kept flames dancing around his now-wrinkled face.

“Shouto,” he said stiffly.

“Father,” Shouto answered equally stiff. “What are you doing here?”

“You haven’t answered or returned my calls all weekend.” He faced Shouto from the other side of the desk. “Is it true?”

“Is what true?” Shouto had no patience for his games today.

Endeavor glowered. “That you’re dating someone? Someone who is not Yaoyorozu despite your future engagement to her?”

Shouto stared back. “Yes, it’s true I’m dating someone new but I never have nor ever will be engaged to Yaoyorozu,” he stated. “Whether you accept it or not.”

Endeavor’s eyes narrowed. “Is it also true that this girl swindled her way into working here? Are you so blind and irresponsible as to let yourself be taken advantage of by someone who wants to ride our coattails?!”

Shouto cursed the head of HR. They were great to work with but they had been with the Todoroki agency since it had once been the Endeavor agency...which meant they were very close to Shouto’s father. They must have been giving Endeavor information throughout this process.

Ani didn’t deserve this. She didn’t deserve this treatment that was so presumptive, just like Bakugo’s comments. Shouto felt the years of hate toward his father spill over. “Unlike you, I am not blinded by greed and unaware of the people around me. I’m able to make decisions in the best interest of others, like a real hero, instead of with the goal to further my own personal interests!” Shouto’s eyes blazed furiously at his father whose expression remained flat.

“Then bring her to our house for dinner tonight.” He turned away to leave. “We’ll see how fit this person really is, how much better they are than Yaoyorozu.”

If looks could kill, Endeavor would have dropped dead from the toxic glare his son gave him. “It is not your privilege to meet her,” Shouto asserted. “Not yet have you proved yourself fit to meet her.”

Endeavor turned at the door, his haughty deadpan finally beginning to crack. “Don’t come crying to me for help when she shows up on your doorstep pregnant and threatening to clean you out for all you’re worth.” He slammed the door after himself.

Shouto slouched forward, resting his fists on his desk as he was lost in a tsunami of anger and hatred. Before he could put his thoughts and feelings in order his cellphone rang sending a chill down his spine: it was the Dagoben Superintendent, Jozu. He was calling in any and all top 20 heroes available in for an immediate meeting. As soon as he hung up, Midoriya had already texted about the call and they would have to reschedule breakfast. Shouto agreed, sending his response to his old friend as he hastily left the office.

 

The superintendents and chief inspectors from Dagoben and the two major, neighboring cities were all in attendance.

“Last night,” Superintendent Jozu called everyone's attention, beginning the briefing. “Dagoben general hospital was attacked.” Shouto’s heart clenched. Ani only stopped working there a few days ago. She could have so easily been involved...he was glad she was going to be with him at his agency soon. “We have known the League of Villains has been searching for something...gearing up for a major attack and a source has now informed us they’ve been searching for someone with a healing quirk. Someone who can help them keep from getting injured or help them after they've been injured...a so-called fountain of youth.”

Shouto’s face slowly drained of color with each word as the superintendent continued.

“We believe they were targeting an employee at Dagoben General. No one was critically injured last night or kidnapped in the attack but it suggests they were testing to see what or who has helped one of our top heroes recover recently from a drastic injury.”

Several people glanced to Bakugo whose expression soured, angry to be called out like he was some kind of weakling. The superintendent kept going, not caring enough to name Bakugo.

“We’ve been told by the hospital they don’t have anyone like that there anymore. Apparently, a nurse used to work there—” Shouto’s heart froze “—but no longer does. We need all of you to help us interview the area hospitals or doctor’s facilities and find this so-called fountain-of-youth. Before the Leauge of Villains does.”

Bakugo and Midoriya were already staring at Shouto as he rose from his chair like a phantom and offered the chilling answer. “That won’t be necessary,...They’re looking for my girlfriend.”

 

 

The heroes and police administrators disbanded with pictures of Ani and instruction not to draw attention to her or her location in public or online. A plan was in place to offer her protection around-the-clock which would be significantly easier now that she would be working at the Todoroki agency. Everyone left, leaving for their separate agencies or homes and Shouto had the task of breaking this news to Ani. He watched Bakugo launch himself into the air, using his propelling explosions to aerially skip over the city, without saying anything to anyone.

Before Shouto left, Midoriya pulled him aside. “How are you feeling about this?” He asked, sensing the stress in his normally subdued fellow hero. “I mean...aside from the obvious.”

“I...I’m afraid for the first time in a very long time. I’m afraid for Ani. For our relationship.” Shouto’s eyes bored away, off into the city horizon. “She never wanted anyone to know what her quirk could do in fear of this exact reason...Since she saved my life everything she ever tried to avoid has been forced on her.”

“Saved...you?” Midoriya asked.

Shouto nodded, still staring off into the distance. “Yes. She saved me the same way she saved Bakugo, only a few days earlier...and it’s brought this to her doorstep.”

“Ani seems strong. And understanding. Talk to her and you’ll find a way through this together.” Midoriya pumped a fist at his old friend. “I believe in you. In both of you.”

Shouto nodded gratefully but unconvinced as they said goodbye. He activated the transparent display within the visor of his motorcycle helmet and called Ani once he was on the way to her house. He would wait to tell her everything, in detail, in person but he needed to hear her voice, to make sure she was safe until then.

“Hello, Shouto?” She asked, happy to hear from him.

Guilt struck his gut as he wove through traffic. “Hey Ani, What are you up to right now?”

“I’m at my house—” he felt a moment of relief at her words “—I was going to go to the library but my landlord called a little while ago and said I have to wait here to let a pest-control guy in to spray my balcony.”

“A pest control guy? I didn’t know you were having a problem with pests.”

She laughed lightly and the sound made the hair on the back of Shouto’s neck stand up. “I’m not. But I guess other people in the building are so they’re going to spray all the apartments proactively. What are you up to? Are you already done having breakfast with Midoriya?”

He ignored her questions as his heart began to race and he surged his bike’s motor. “Ani, listen to me, do no—”

He heard a doorbell in the background and she interjected. “Hold on one second Sho, I think that’s them.” She must have held the phone away from her face because her voice became distant. “Hi, yeah, that’s fine. Come on in.”

“Ani! ANI!” He was shouting as loud as he could but the helmet muffled his cries. He was driving erratically now, taking risks and cutting through streams of traffic. “ANI DO NOT LET ANYONE INTO YOUR APARTMENT!”

She heard his voice but didn’t catch what he said. “Sho, I’ll call you right back. Okay? The pest person is here.” She hung up too quickly for him to respond. He immediately called her back but it went to voicemail. He called again and she silenced the call on the second ring. Panic set into Shouto’s whole being and he called an unlikely ally.

“Oi what do you want you annoying—”

“Bakugo! I think Ani’s in trouble and I need your help!”

“Oh yeah? Why do I care about your little girlfr—”

“You know the L-o-V is trying to get her—”

“Pfft, so what you’re not strong enough to protect her?!”

Shouto roared a feral sound and Bakugo fell silent, for once. “BAKUGO I KNOW YOU’RE IN LOVE WITH ANI AND YOU’RE THE CLOSEST HERO TO HER HOUSE RIGHT NOW AND SHE’S NOT ANSWERING HER PHONE AFTER SHE JUST LET A STRANGER CLAIMING TO BE A PEST CONTROL PERSON INTO HER HOME!”

Bakugo on the other end of the call was frozen, haunted by everything he just heard. “What’s her address?”

 

Ani chuckled as the pest control guy made a joke about having to work weekends and was about to commiserate with him from her time in the ER when her doorbell rang. Then someone knocked. Obnoxiously.

“’cuse me,” Ani said leaving the worker on her patio. “Coming!” She shouted. When she made it to the door they were still knocking feverishly and she looked through the peephole surprised to see Bakugo.

“Bakugo?” She asked incredulously as she opened the door. He pushed past her, taking an aggressive path into her apartment. “What are you doing here? And how do you know where I live?"

He grunted in response as he scrutinized the person on her deck. “Todoroki called me and said you were in danger.

“T-todoroki said that?” Ani asked. The words she had missed, Shouto’s faint tone, how he called back right away suddenly registered in her mind.

“Yeh,” Bakugo crossed his arms. “Said I had to make sure you were okay.”

Todoroki said that?” Ani repeated and something in her tone made Bakugo slowly turn.

 

Shouto was weaving through traffic like a mad man, almost to her apartment, not caring about getting a ticket. He was calling Ani and Bakugo back and forth, neither of them answering. His father called and he ignored it, not wanting to talk to him or miss a call from someone else. Endeavor became persistent, calling again. And again. Each time Shouto ignored him.

Bakugo called and Shouto immediately answered, praying for good news. That he had been overreacting and Ani was safe. “Bakugo, what’s going on?”

“She’s not here,” Bakugo said and Shouto’s heart began to crumble as the ashy blonde added “some serious shit just went down here.”

“I’m almost there,” Shouto said, speeding even faster. “Did you call the police?”

“Of course I did you shit-for-brains!” Bakugo shouted.

Endeavor called AGAIN. He was seriously starting to piss Shouto off. “I’ll be there soon,” he assured an indifferent Bakugo before switching to answer his father’s call with a growling “What do you w—”

“SHOUTO!”

 

 

“Yeh,” Bakugo crossed his arms. “Said I had to make sure you were okay.”

Todoroki said that?” Ani repeated and something in her tone made Bakugo slowly turn.

“Yes. He did.” Bakugo scrutinized Ani’s expression. “Ani...is something wrong?”

Ani’s mind was racing, goosebumps spreading across her body. “Um...” she swallowed thickly. In any emergency she could think fast and respond without a second guess. Blood? No problem. Guts? Severed limbs? No question. Heart failure, seizure, or anything else that could have possibly come through the ER? No trip-ups there. But this...this situation put her instincts on high alert. And without any tactical training she was freezing up, knowing something was wrong but she didn’t know the best course of action. She had no muscle memory for this.

The pest-control person set down his work-pack covered in vials and tubes and leaned in through the wide doorway of her balcony. “Everything okay?” He asked, glancing between Ani and Bakugo.

Before either of them could respond someone knocked once. Bakugo turned, only a hint of annoyance on his face, and Ani grabbed his forearm. “What is it?” He asked.

“C-can you make an explosion?” She asked, fear taking root in her heart.

Bakugo’s brow furrowed. “Of course I can.”

“Show me,” she asked. “Please, make an explosion.”

“Ani, you’re being paranoid,” Bakugo said and patted her hand.

Ani let go as a cold fear crystallized in her chest.

That wasn’t Bakugo.

She knew with absolute certainty as the door opened and a tall, scarred man let himself into her apartment.

“Nehhh,” the man Ani had seen on the train said giving the other two a lazy look as he closed the door behind himself. “What are you doing up here?”

“Ehhh, you were supposed to wait downstairs!” The Bakugo-fake said and his flesh began to slough off like dough.

“You’re taking too long,” the scarred man grumbled and set his predatory gaze on Ani.

Adrenaline surged through Ani and she whipped away from the melting Bakugo frantically trying to remember where she left her phone. She was cursing herself; why did she ignore all of Shouto’s calls?! Why did she silence her fucking phone?!

“Oh no, you don’t!” The scarred man shouted and leapt. Ani dodged his jump and he landed on her kotatsu, crushing the cherished square. Someone else rushed her and slammed her body into the couch. A petite blonde with a feral gleam in her eye sliced Ani’s hands as she covered her face and Ani could hear the sharp knife catching her couch, too.

“I can smell it in your blood, how much you love him!” The crazy girl on top of her shouted.

At the mention of him, a shock jolted Ani’s heart. Shouto. They’re trying to get to Shouto. Ani may not have had combat experience but she at least knew the human body. And she would use all of her knowledge to keep them from him.

She jabbed the heel of her hand into the blonde’s solar-plexus, a spot beneath her sternum between her diaphragm, that knocked the wind out of the girl. Momentarily stunned, Ani bucked her off onto the scarred man, sending them both to the ground for a moment long enough that Ani could get off the couch.

In the back of her mind she heard things breaking, shattering, as the three strangers scrambled after her through the apartment. Heat flared behind her, singeing the air of her bedroom as she threw herself inside, still desperately searching for her phone. She needed to warn Shouto. Criminals were coming for him. They must have seen him visiting her here. She was so foolish! She put Shouto at such risk insisting they be here so often! She needed to warn him. She needed to find her phone.

And it wasn’t anywhere in here.

The three assailants piled into the room after her as she cornered herself by the only other escape route she had: her bedroom window. It was a two-story drop to the ground and Ani knew she could regenerate from it but wouldn’t have time before the three people descended on her.

They were already upon her. She held up her arm as the two men came for her and the girl barreled through them, still screaming about the intensity of Ani’s love, and slashing at her with a glinting knife. The blade caught the edge of Ani’s forearm and sliced down through her tricep, slashing through her brachial artery. She screamed and felt her pulse shoot hot, thick blood out through the opened vessel. Fatigue slammed into her like a freight-train as her quirk immediately regenerated enough of the laceration to prevent her from bleeding to death. The two men used Ani’s weakened, fainting state to grab her arms and legs. They began hauling her across her bedroom floor.

Survival took over again and the regeneration subsided. She was still bleeding, she could feel it dripping down her arm, but she fought against the captors as much as she could. They gripped her arms and legs hard enough she knew there would be bruises and the petite psycho was siphoning a large vial of blood from Ani’s other arm.

“Save it for later, damn it!” The scarred man shouted down, yanking Ani’s legs. She felt heat fry her ankles in tune with his angry outburst. Ani dredged whatever energy her body would spare from regenerating to thrash and fight against her kidnappers. She couldn’t give up. She couldn’t give them a chance to get to Shouto.

“Let me go!” She screamed. “HELP! HEELLPP!” The man holding her arms dropped a wrist to slap her so hard she gasped and choked on her own spit.

“Shut up!” He snarled down at her. She kept struggling, swatting his hand away as he tried to regain his grip on her wrist. To his comrades he shouted “I told you we should have brought Compress!”

“We don’t need him!” The other man growled, wrenching Ani’s ankles so tight he drew a cry from Ani. “You could just make a fucking clone or two to help us!”

“I’m too goddamned wound up right now! They would be unstable!”

She grabbed anything she could find with her free hand to anchor herself in her apartment or throw at her assailants. A leg of the kotatsu punched into the scarred man’s shoulder and he howled in frustration. A fury of blue flames erupted from his back, tearing open his shirt and expanding the air with such force the sliding glass door and window exploded.

“ENOUGH WITH THE FUCKING BLOOD!” He roared at the crazy blonde who kicked Ani in the ribs and grabbed her free-flailing wrist.

“Fine!” The girl giggled as if this was a party. “Let’s go!”

They ferried Ani as she struggled futilely, the regeneration in her body draining more and more energy with every injury. They brought her to the balcony now.

No, no no no. Were they going to throw her over?! Ani was going to be seriously injured and wouldn’t be able to remain conscious if she sustained any more injuries. The girl took both of Ani’s hands as the man lithely leapt over the balcony wall. Ani fought for her life as the scarred man and the crazy girl lifted her up with surprising ease.

“See you at the bottom, beautiful,” the scarred man said with a menacing wink and Ani’s eyes widened, heart pulsing with fear and useless adrenaline, as the tossed her over the edge.

Someone screamed and Ani felt weightless for a moment before gravity came crashing down and knocked the breath from Ani’s chest.

 

She slammed, hard, into the ground. No. Not the ground.

She was sore but not hurt like she would have been if it was the ground. She cracked her eyes open barely enough energy left, from what the regeneration was sapping away, to croak “Mr. To..doroki?”

 

 

“SHOUTO!”

He nearly swiped a car and slammed on his brakes at the sound of his girlfriend’s voice. Relief and confusion swallowed him whole. “Ani! Where are you?! How—what are you doing with my father?”

“Shouto listen to me! I’m fine. I’m fine now but I was attacked. That pest control person he-he tried to kidnap me and then Bakugo showed up but it wasn’t Bakugo, not really, and then your dad was there and stopped them and he’s bringing me to your family’s house and I'm fine now but Sho—” his mind was swimming as he followed everything she was saying and his heart turned over with the knowledge she was safe. “Sho, there was this girl who who had some weird needles and kept talking about how cute I was how she could smell my love for someone and Sho—Sho she took my blood!”

Toga. And with that realization a chilling concern came to his mind. “Ani, how do you know you’re with my father?”

“When that-that girl came in she looked just like Bakugo but she couldn’t make explosions. She couldn’t do his quirk but but your dad could and he didn’t know if there was anyone else coming to help the people attacking us so he’s bringing us to your home to be safe. Shouto I’m so so sorry.”

He gripped his handlebars and sped off toward her apartment. “There is nothing you could possibly be sorry for.”

“I’m sorry Shouto,” she was crying now. “I didn’t listen to you and I ignored your calls and I let them in and I was so naïve and I’m this huge vulnerable liability for you.” Her cries built into sobs and he wanted nothing more than to hold her. But not until he knew the attack was really over.

“Ani, none of that is true. Please...you will be safe at my family’s home, okay? So stay there, don’t go anywhere. I’m going to your apartment now and I’ll file the police report and then come get you. Okay?”

She sniffled. “Okay, thank you, Sho.”

“Ani,” he reverently said. “I’m so glad you’re safe.”

 

As Shouto drove down the last few streets he made one more phone call. “Fuyumi?”

His older sister laughed, not having the chance to answer her own call. “Hey little bro, what’s up?”

“Fuyumi, I need your help and I don’t have a lot of time. Where are you right now?”

“I’m at home. The boys are out camping for the week so I’m getting stuff done around the house. What’s wrong, Shouto, what’s going on?”

“I need you to go to our family’s home and hangout until I get there. Just act like it was a spontaneous visit to see our father, not from me.”

“O-okay, anything else you can tell me?”

“No,” he said as he rounded the corner and saw crowds, police, and pro-heroes. “Let me know when you get there and that everything is okay. This will make sense once you’re there.”

“Okay,” she said, always ready to help her youngest brother. “Shouto, whatever’s going on, good luck.”

“Thank you,” he said and cut off the call. He pulled off his helmet and the crowd parted, making room for the pro hero, and the other pro heroes let him through, too. Black lines of scorched pavement darkened the street and sidewalk and an ashy dust swirled in the wake of his bike. No one seemed hurt but there was a lot of fire damage. A rock formed in his gut. He parked in Ani's spot and rushed up the stairs where more police and pro heroes were talking with witnesses and guarding Ani’s apartment.

Shouto approached her door and they stopped him, hesitating to let in the number two hero. He explained this was his girlfriend’s apartment and they glanced at each other in surprise, stepping apart so he could pass.

He didn’t bother taking his shoes off this time. The debris of a fight, of Ani’s once comfortable and welcoming apartment where Shouto had found home, was littered everywhere. The sliding glass door and accompanying window were blown to bits, broken glass laying like a glittering carpet across her balcony. Wind blew in, gently tossing her curtains and casting a mournful shadow across the apartment.

His feet were frozen in place as his eyes roamed the savage destruction. More burns streaked across the walls like a haunting story of what happened. The couch was sliced. Kotatsu crushed. Bookshelf demolished.

Shouto moved like a ghost to Ani’s bedroom when he heard his name called and a nauseating horror twisted his gut as he walked in to see a dark splatter painting Ani’s once white walls, connected by long drips to a sickeningly large pool of blood on the floor. It was like no blood stain Shouto had ever seen before and he knew...it was Ani’s blood.

An ashy dust settled over everything.

Bakugo was standing near the stain, staring lost in thought. Shouto could see the subtle flexing of his muscles as he scowled down. A detective approached Todoroki and asked questions to which Shouto answered with all the information he had and they gave Todoroki everything they knew from witnesses:

Neighbors began to hear smashing, violent sounds soon followed by shouts and growing noise that escalated when something exploded through Ani’s sliding glass doors. At that point the police had been called but before they could arrive witnesses saw someone jump to the street from Ani’s second-story balcony and two more people appeared, holding a struggling woman, and dropped her to the person below. A fearsome streak of blistering flame intercepted the fall and Endeavor appeared down the street, holding the young woman.

The two people on the balcony, a petite blond covered in tubes and vials and a tall, scarred man, jumped down to the street, too. The tall, scarred man approached the pro hero, igniting blue flames in his hand and was immediately met with an overwhelming attack from Endeavor who was able to disperse the three near-kidnappers before promptly departing with the woman. Moments later Ground Zero appeared and rushed up to the second floor, followed by police only minutes later.

Shouto thanked the police for all of their hard work and waited until they finished collecting evidence they needed. Shouto called Aino, assuring the surgeon his sister was safe and offered Endeavor’s phone number so he could contact her. Once the police had everything, they needed they left leaving clear signage that Ani’s apartment was a crime scene and not to be disturbed.

As if it would stop villains from returning.

Shouto locked the door, somehow one of the few things that wasn't damaged, and returned to Ani’s bedroom where Bakugo lingered. “Thank you for coming,” Shouto offered.

“Tch.” Bakugo said. “Didn’t do it for you.”

“I know...but since she’s not here to thank you in person, like I know she would...thank you.”

Bakugo turned, anger burning in his red eyes. He was overwhelmed with all the things he couldn’t—wouldn’t—say right now. How he felt real fear for someone else after Shouto called and the helpless despair he experienced when he arrived here too late. What it was like to be the first one to find the carnage and see violent evidence of her pain and suffering. He hadn’t been able to help at all. He was too slow, too uninformed to help this...person...woman...he had unwillingly come to care about. The first time he got to visit her home was like this. He was furious. There were so many things he wanted, to be able to do, to be able to say, to have had experienced differently. What made his blood boil the most was feeling like he failed. Failed Ani. Failed at being a hero, in front of everyone, outdone by a Todoroki none-the-less. His fists clenched and unclenched, sparkling little explosions. “Why did you even bother to call me?”

“What?” Shouto asked, confused.

“Why did you even bother to call me?” Bakugo demanded between gritted teeth. “If you were just going to have your stupid fucking old-man swoop in and rescue her first?! Are you TRYING to make me look like a damn fool?! HUH?! Set me up in front of the public?! Embarrass me IN FRONT OF ANI?!” Bakugo roared, teeth gnashing as every muscle in his body clenched.

Shouto’s body tensed in natural defense at Bakugo’s rage but he understood it. “No, Bakugo. I don’t know why my father was here or how he even knew where Ani lived! Just this morning I told him he wasn’t allowed to meet...her...” An angry betrayal surged through Shouto’s veins. “He must have weaseled the information out of my staff and come here against my wishes.”

The gratitude he had felt toward his father was so very short lived. For maybe having some sort of positive effect in Shouto’s life for the first time. No. Shouto knew now that Endeavor’s presence here was no accident.

“My father came here for his own reasons,” Shouto growled, speaking more out-loud to himself than to Bakugo. Bakugo’s chest was still heaving with fueled anger but Shouto’s demeanor calmed into the well-known feeling of hatred for his father. “I’m sorry for any complications to your reputation this event may have caused.”

“I DON’T CARE ABOUT MY DAMN REPUTATION!” Bakugo roared. He looked like a rabid animal.

“You wanted to save Ani,” Shouto said.

“OF COURSE I DID YOU HALF-AND-HALF BASTARD!” At the admission, Bakugo’s eyes narrowed and he whipped around, hiding his face from Shouto. He stared out the unbroken bedroom window accepting the real reason he was upset. He wanted to rescue her. To be her hero again. To have her look at him that way again...to become her answer to the question who is your favorite hero? And after he heard the witness accounts...to have been able to hold her.

“Thank you, Bakugo,” Shouto said again but the explosive blonde didn’t turn around. He threw Ani’s window open and launched himself out, adding scorched marks to the outside of the building. Shouto watched him disappear and then looked around at Ani’s wrecked home. She couldn’t stay here. Not right now, not like this. He found an old backpack of hers in the closet and packed as many clothes, as many different kinds as he could. He found her cellphone on the kitchen counter, her charger, and keys, adding them to the backpack, before leaving and locking the door behind himself.

Notes:

If I understand Toga's quirk correctly, she can activate the quirk of whom she's appearing as but I'm going to water that down a bit (b/c if it's true I think it's for real OP) and say she can just look like the person for the sake of my bnha universe.

Chapter 27: Nothing

Chapter Text

“Ani, none of that is true. Please...you will be safe at my family’s home, okay? So stay there. Don’t go anywhere. I’m going to your apartment now and I’ll file the police report and then come get you. Okay?”

She sniffled. “Okay, thank you, Sho.”

“Ani,” he reverently said. “I’m so glad you’re safe.”

She hung up the call, wishing she could be with him already. With trembling hands she passed Endeavor his phone and he slid it into his pocket without taking his eyes off the road.

“Thank you,” she said quietly. She knew it would be proper to say more. To thank him for saving her life, for taking her to safety, for everything. But something was nagging at the back of her mind. She didn’t figure it out until they drove into the Todoroki property, separated from the neighboring homes by a massive wall, and passed through the looming gate.

Ani was so tired. She could feel all the wounds throbbing for regeneration and fatigue was weighing on her as her body tried to respond. But she had to endure...just a little bit more. She climbed out of the car, shaking slightly in the tug-of-war against fatigue, and slowly followed after Endeavor who went up into the main entryway without saying anything to her.

He looked down at the meek, wounded woman and felt a sneer begin to twist his features. How could this weak, disappointing woman possibly compare to anyone? He buried his feelings and kept his face as neutral as possible. This conversation wouldn’t go his way if he alienated her. “Follow me,” he instructed her once her shoes were off.

She warily trailed after him, looking around at Shouto’s childhood home as much as she could manage while keeping up with Endeavor. It was a stark, bleak structure that could only be built from wealth. No love filled out this place. He led Ani to a large room overlooking the back garden as lush and maintained as any affluent home could have and gestured to a spot by the table on the floor.

Endeavor sat down, legs crossed, across from her, arranging a pot of hot tea and cups between them. He poured himself a cup and gave Ani a flat look. “So. You’re Shouto’s girlfriend.”

“Yes,” Ani said, barely able to sit up straight. “And you’re his father.”

Endeavor’s lip twitched in irritation. “What do you want with my son?”

“What do I want with him?” Holy halibut she was exhausted. She really didn’t want to deal with this right now but it was clear she had no choice. “I want a future with him.”

“And what else?” He crossed his massive arms and cocked an old, sour eyebrow at her.

Nausea rolled up Ani’s throat and she couldn’t form any words. In answer to his question she simply pressed her lips together and shrugged.

“You expect me to believe that?” He looked down at her disdainfully. “What are you in it for? Hmm? Money? Fame? To smear the Todoroki name?”

Ani pushed the nausea down and shook her head. “No, just the relationship.” She could smell his tea from across the table and her body yearned for something, anything, that could replenish her depleting supply of energy but she couldn’t find the strength to pour herself a cup.

“And how could my son possibly benefit from a relationship with you?” Endeavor demanded. “What could you possibly offer my son?”

Ani said the first thing that came to her mind. “Love.” It was the truth, too.

“Anyone could love him,” Endeavor noted. “That doesn't make you special."

Ani shrugged again, swaying slightly with the motion. “Maybe, but he chose me.”

“As if that makes you so special.” Endeavor’s eyes burned with hatred.

“It kind of does...” She clenched her jaw, holding back a yawn. She needed to hold on a little longer.

“What do you want?” Endeavor planted his fists on his knees and glared at Ani. “What can I offer to convince you to leave my son alone?”

Ani’s eyes met his with a deadpan expression, though she didn’t know if it was absolute lack of energy or absolute lack of patience with the senior across from her. “What can I say to convince you to give me a chance?”

“Nothing,” Endeavor answered without thinking.

“There’s your answer.” Ani sighed, still holding his gaze. Endeavor’s mouth pressed into a thin, angry line. Ani’s vision blurred a little bit and everything hurt. “Mr. Todoroki I know you weren’t near my apartment today upon pure chance. I can only assume it was to have this conversation. Is that correct?”

“You’re lucky that I was,” Endeavor haughtily noted.

“You’re right.” Ani nodded with a casual expression of agreement. “I really was. Can we...can we agree to a truce?”

Endeavor’s eyes narrowed. “A truce is what a losing party offers to gain ground.”

Ani stared at him, deadpan and dumbfounded. "Alright...cool. I was going to offer not to waste my time trying to impress you when I know you’ll never change your mind about me if you agreed not to waste your own time trying to buy me out of my relationship with Shouto.”

“What an uninventive truce,” Endeavor took a long drink of his tea.

Ani sighed and turned her gaze out to the garden certain their conversation was over. She was so tired. She wanted to sleep. She wanted Shouto to get there. Wanted to hear his voice and feel the safety of his embrace instead of the frigid indifference from his father. She was so tired. She didn’t notice Endeavor set down his cup and eye her speculatively.

“HELLLOOOOO FATTTHERRRR!”

Ani jumped, a weak surge of adrenaline shocking her attention as someone threw open the door. Endeavor turned, unsurprised by the woman bursting into his home.

Several years older than Ani, a woman with white hair, flecked with red, let herself in and froze at the sight of Ani. Her steel-blue-gray eyes flicked back and forth between Endeavor and the mystery blonde sitting across from him.

“Sorry for the interruption, father! I didn’t know you had company!”

“Because you didn’t call,” he grumbled and lifted the cup to his lips. He added in an angry growl “you never do.”

“Because you never have guests!” The white-haired woman said as she approached her father’s guest. Her calm happiness was immune to her father’s angry nature. “Hello. I’m Todoroki Enji’s daughter, please call me Fuyumi.”

“Nice to meet you Fuyumi,” Ani said in a hoarse whisper. Her injuries quickly caught Fuyumi’s attention and she gasped before Ani could introduce herself.

“Oh my gosh! You poor thing, what happened to you?!” Fuyumi was kneeling next to Ani now, trying to inspect her injuries with the hawk-eyes of an experienced mother.

“Fuyumi,” Endeavor said with angry irritation. “This is Shouto’s girlfriend, Shida Ani. She was attacked today and I happened to be near-by enough to save her.”

“Attacked?!” Shock shined in Fuyumi’s eyes. “Does Shouto know?”

Ani nodded but Endeavor spoke over her. “Yes. He’s taking care of the police report and will be coming here afterwards.”

“Well come on,” Fuyumi said taking Ani’s hands with surprising strength. “We need to clean your injuries!”

Ani found herself being towed up from the floor and dragged, stumbling to the door. “Wait,” she said and turned back to face Endeavor. “Thank you, Mr. Todoroki, for saving my life and keeping me safe today.” She bowed, bending her torso in a sign of respect.

Endeavor simply drank his tea, ignoring her gesture of respect. Ani held the pose for a moment and then followed Fuyumi out of the room.

Chapter 28: Couldn't Do Anything

Chapter Text

Fuyumi brought Ani to a different wing of the house, into a bedroom with attached bathroom. Her mind was reeling assembling all the pieces to the puzzle of why her brother asked her to come here like this. She understood now and had grown unusually quiet in the process. Not that Ani noticed. She was so tired that if she did know Fuyumi’s normal out-going nature she wouldn’t have picked up on the pensive quiet.

She set down a first-aid kit near the quiet girl and sat down on the floor with her. She gently lifted the girl’s arms without protest and silently gasped at the gouge down the underside of her arm.

“My gosh,” she said. “I don’t know if we have any bandages big enough for this.” She tsked. “My father should have brought you to the hospital.”

“It’s alright,” Ani said quietly, mind dizzy with fatigue. "There were things that needed to be said. Things that needed to be heard.”

Fuyumi surveyed Ani’s placid expression. “Are you alright, Miss Shida?”

Ani nodded drowsily.

“Would you like to lie down?” Fuyumi asked. “I can arrange a futon for you.”

Ani shook her head. “I’m waiting for Shouto.”

Fuyumi stifled a smile as she set to work tending the lacerations on Ani’s arm and hands. “Okay, let’s see what we can do to patch you up in the meantime.” Fuyumi’s nimble hands dressed Ani’s wounds in a way that demonstrated how accustomed she was to doing this.

“Are you nurse?” Ani asked.

“Me?” Fuyumi laughed once. “No...just a mother to three boys. Four if you count my husband who’s like a big kid...I’ve treated a number of injuries at home.”

“Oh,” Ani said.

Fuyumi snuck a look at the pretty young woman’s face. “What about you, what do you do Miss Shida?”

“I’m a nurse. Well...I was a nurse in an ER.” She smiled. “As of tomorrow I’ll be a nurse at the Todoroki Agency.”

“You’ll be working with Shouto?”

Ani nodded. “Yes.

Fuyumi smiled, wiping dried blood from Ani's arm. "Wow. You must be a very good nurse.”

“I’m alright,” Ani said with one small laugh.

Fuyumi smiled to herself again and cleaned the deepest part of the slash and Ani winced, sucking in a tight breath through clenched teeth. Ani’s eyes pressed shut from the pain and battle with fatigue and Fuyumi unabashedly gaped at Ani’s wound. She expected to face more fresh blood, maybe even have to give a few stitches under Ani’s direction but what she didn’t expect to find was tender, pink skin already fused back together. Fuyumi traced the wound in awe and Ani flinched, pulling away.

"I'm sorry!" Fuyumi said. "Are you okay?"

“Yes,” Ani weakly answered. “It’s only sealed...the wound is still healing internally."

“How is that possible?” Fuyumi asked in quiet awe.

“I regenerate...It’s my quirk. My body just did a quick healing in the moment to keep me from bleeding out.”

Fuyumi’s eyebrows lifted. “Ahh, that’s why my father didn’t take you to the hospital.”

“Maybe,” Ani sighed heavily with exhaustion. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he already looked through my whole file at the agency.”

“Why do you think that?”

“Your father knew where I lived. He knew who I was without asking and brought me here without hesitation. He didn’t ask anything about myself when we sat down to talk...either he hates me in general for simply existing or he’s already looked into me and decided he doesn’t like me for who I am.” Her chest sagged from the monologue.

Fuyumi finished dressing the still-open areas of the laceration and moved onto the burns around her ankles. “I don’t think he doesn’t like you,” she softly said.

Ani’s brow furrowed. “Why?”

Fuyumi hid her smile. “Oh...just a feeling.”

“I don’t know,” Ani yawned. “As long as he doesn’t bother Shouto, I don’t care.”

Fuyumi had hundreds of questions burning in her mind but she saw how exhaustion pulled at the girl. “Miss Shida, please won’t you rest until Shouto gets here?”

“No,” Ani shook her head fervently. “I don’t want to risk sleeping too deeply to wake up when he gets here. I want to see him.”

“Is there anything I can get you in the meantime?” Fuyumi asked as she finished applying ointment to the burns.

Ani nodded. “Something, anything, to eat and drink.”

“Of course.” Fuyumi smiled. “I’ll be right back.”

 

Ani drifted in and out of consciousness as she waited, clinging to the knowledge that Shouto would soon be there.
Fuyumi returned with a tray over-loaded with food and laid it all out for Ani. “Please help yourself,” Fuyumi offered and took a seat across the folding tray arranged like a small table.

“Thank you,” Ani quietly said and dug in. It was delicious, nearly as good as Shouto’s cooking. “Oh wow,” Ani said between mouthfuls. “This is amazing!”

“Thank you!" Fuyumi said with a huge smile. “I’ve really come to enjoy cooking for my kids and my husband and my mother.”

“Your mother?” Ani glanced up. “Is she allowed to leave the hospital to visit you?”

Fuyumi paused, momentarily taken aback.

“I’m so sorry!” Ani quickly apologized. “That was so presumptive of me to ask—!”

“It’s fine! It’s fine!” Fuyumi insisted, relaxing. “I’m only surprised that Shouto told you. I don’t think he’s ever told more than one...maybe two people.”

Ani blushed under Fuyumi’s curious gaze and she looked back down to her food.

“And to answer your question,” Fuyumi said still watching Ani. “My mother cannot leave the hospital. Shouto and I, occasionally my other sibling, will bring her food when we visit. It’s a way to cheer her up, lift her spirits...it helps her to feel how much we care.”

“That’s very thoughtful.” Ani smiled, the food keeping her fatigue at bay for the moment. “Shouto’s cooking is absolutely amazing so it probably does wonders to lift your mom’s spirits!”

“Hey!” Fuyumi playfully planted her hands on her hips. “I’m the one who taught him how to cook, just for that reason!”

Ani glanced up, worried she offended the girl, but instead found the playful glare of an older sibling. “Yours is incredible, too! I’m glad he had such an amazing teacher.”

“Nehh, the best.” Fuyumi smirked. She watched Ani eat, studying the girl with rapt curiosity. She rifled through the questions in her mind. “So...Miss Shida...”

“Please, call me Ani,” she offered with a kind smile.

“Ani,” Fuyumi returned the smile. “How did you and my brother meet?”

“I was the nurse who saw him when he came into the E.R. a while ago.”

Fuyumi’s brow raised. “What happened to him?”

“A lot...” Ani said, not wanting to offer any more. “But he made it through...he’s very strong.”

“He is definitely strong,” Fuyumi agreed, remembering everything he’d been through. “Do you love him?”

“Yes,” Ani blushed. “I do.”

Fuyumi was curious if the question would catch the girl off-guard but there was no uncertainty in her answer. “And you’re prepared to accept everything that comes with that?” She gestured around them, suggestive of her father.

“I am.” Ani sat up with as much energy as she could find. “I can’t offer Shouto much but I can offer him myself.”

“Even after what happened today?” Fuyumi eyed her injuries.

Ani took a moment to arrange her thoughts. “I’m not strong...I can’t fight...and I don’t know how to defend myself...” she looked down at her hands, flexing them before looking back to Fuyumi. “But I can endure. I can regenerate and make it through whatever we face. I can survive. If only that...I can survive. And stay by his side.”

“I think you’re underestimating the significance of that,” Fuyumi said. She could see Ani’s reluctance to believe that. She also noticed Ani was still in her dirty, blood-soaked clothes. “Ani, would you like to shower? And I’ll find you some clean clothes?”

“Yes, please,” Ani said gratefully.

Chapter 29: Let it Out

Chapter Text

Shouto raced through the streets of Musutafu. He was so much later than he wanted to be but he was glad the police were thorough. The walls of his childhood home came into view and his heart nearly flew from his chest. She was there, waiting somewhere inside. He blasted through the barely-open gate and hardly got his kickstand down before he was off, striding to the massive house with his helmet in hand. He took his shoes off without breaking stride.

“Ani? Ani??!” He Shouted. There were only a few places his father would be willing to take a guest. He found his feet moving faster and faster; they weren’t in the training room, or the kitchen. He was rushing into the deeper wing of the house where the more personal rooms were and he blasted past his father's tea room, not noticing the door was open until he was past it. He halted. When he went back and checked inside he was shocked to see his father sitting on the outside edge of the floor.

He had changed clothes since the Todoroki Agency and now lounged in his yukata, looking out over the garden with his back to the open door. Everything about the scene seemed strange to Shouto.

“Endeavor,” he quietly called inside.

The senior sat up at the sound of his son but didn’t turn around.

“Where is Ani?” Shouto asked.

“This is the first thing you say to me, my son?” Endeavor’s voice rumbled out over their calm yard. “Not a sentiment of appreciation that I saved her life?”

Shouto stared flatly at the back of his father’s head. “Why were you there today? What were you trying to do?”

“Ahh, my son. Such a pessimistic view of your devoted father.” Endeavor turned his palms up and opened his arms. “I was merely protecting your future.”

Shouto clenched his jaw and flared his nostrils. “How dare you try to interfere in my personal life. What would you know about protecting my future?!”

“More than you would think,” Endeavor said with a glance over his shoulder. “Because that’s exactly what I did today.”

Fear rang through Shouto like a gong and his eyes blazed. He didn’t bother to ask what his father meant; he didn’t care. He was already running deeper into the house. Panic flushed through his veins with fear of what his father could have done, could have said to Ani.

“Ani?” He started throwing open the doors to his siblings childhood rooms. “ANI!”

He flung open a door and found Fuyumi sitting across from a small tray of tea from Ani. They both looked up, startled, and a storm of emotion passed through Ani’s eyes as she gazed up at Shouto for only a moment before leaping up from the floor. Shouto’s waiting arms caught her mid-air and clutched her tight against him. He held her tucked against his neck and wrapped her in the safety she had craved all day.

Ani trembled slightly and pushed back only far enough to see his face. She lifted his right hand, deliberately placing his thumb on her cheek.

“You have to know it’s me,” Ani urged him.

“What?” Shouto asked, disturbed by what she was asking.

“Just enough so I know it’s you...and you know it's me.” Her eyes pleaded.

He formed the smallest icicle and made the shallowest scrape on her skin. It was enough to draw a single drop of blood, skin healing behind it almost instantly.

Ani sagged with relief back into his arms and he hugged her tightly, inhaling her comforting scent. Fuyumi stood, carrying the tea tray out, quietly saying “I’ll give you two some privacy.”

“Fuyumi,” Ani said from Shouto’s arms. “Thank you for taking care of me.”

“Anytime,” she said with an approving smile for both of them.

And then they were alone.

Shouto brushed the hair from Ani’s face cupping her cheeks as tears formed at the edge of her eyes.

“I...I don’t know what to say.” Shouto’s heart felt like it was in a vice. He saw the bags under her eyes. “Ani...you need to sleep, don’t you?”

Ani nodded. “I do but I wasn’t going to risk falling asleep and not being able to wake up when you got here.” A tear slipped down. “Are-are you okay?”

“Yes...Only Bakugo and the police were there when I arrived.”

“Bakugo?” Ani asked, brow furrowed. "Why was he there? Oh right, he probably got called in because he’s so close.”

“In a way...” Shouto hesitated. “I called him.”

Ani’s eyes widened. “Wow..." She realized how serious the attack had been for Shouto to willingly call Bakugo for help. “Thank you,” she said quietly.

“For what?” He asked.

She gazed up into his eyes. “I can’t imagine what it took to call him."

He hid how scared he had really been. “I would ask whoever for whatever it took to keep you safe.” He softly kissed her lips.

She gave him a tired smile and warily asked “how’s my apartment?”

Shouto’s expression fell a fraction. “It’s...going to need some fixing up. I don’t think you should stay there for a while, at least.”

“It’s that bad?” Ani asked.

Shouto looked deeply into her eyes and knew he needed to tell her. It was the last thing he wanted to do...add to the stress she’d already been through but he had no choice. She needed to know everything. To know what was looking for her and why. He would understand if she wanted to distance herself from him and rely on protection from police or other pro-heroes.

“Ani...the damage is...substantial,” he said as he brought them down to the floor to sit together. “But those people who attacked you today...they’re part of an organization called the League of Villains. They...they’re the same people who attacked us all those years ago at USJ. The same ones who attacked Bakugo that day you saved him. They found out about his recovery...” his expression became more and more stoic with every word as Ani’s eyes widened. “They found out...about you.”

Ani’s hands rose slowly to her face, covering her horrified features. They hadn’t been coming for Shouto after all. They had been there for her.

“There’s one more thing...” Shouto’s heart stilled, terrified this was the breaking point. “...the scarred man who was there today...is my estranged brother.”

Ani froze remembering her interactions with the man on the train. How predatory his looks came to be and his invasive staring. She shivered feeling more grateful Endeavor saved her life and groaned.

Shouto’s throat closed and he steeled himself for the worst.

“I can’t believe I owe my life to your father,” Ani said with another groan.

Shouto wanted to smile at her sentiment but couldn’t. “Ani...I’m sorry. This is because of me. You saved my life and I’ve cost you everything. I’ve ruined your life...” His eyes fell to the ground, unable to say more.

“None of that is true.” Ani’s voice was like steel, absolute and unwavering as it held Shouto’s heart in-tact. She gently lifted his chin, bringing their eyes to meet as she softly said “ruined my life? Today was nothing compared to what you’ve added to my life.

“I have felt more alive in these few short weeks knowing you than I have in my whole life...You’re the future I’ve been waiting for without realizing it...like my whole life brought me to you.” Her eyes shined at him. “And I accept whatever comes with that future.”

A pit hardened him Shouto’s stomach; he hoped she would never face anything worse. Her words made his heart swell and his spirit began to feel buoyant again. “I feel the same way. I want a future with you...and everything that comes with it.”

He pulled her to him, pressing his lips to hers and she kissed him back deeply, lovingly. When their lips parted Ani rested her head on Shouto’s chest and leaned into him. He wrapped his arms around her, finally feeling the darkness in his chest unwind.

After only a few minutes he felt the gradual release of Ani’s weight into his form. He held her as she fell deep asleep and was in no rush to let her go.

 

~

 

Dabi smashed another pallet in the dim warehouse. “That fucking rat bastard! We were SO close!”

Shigaraki watched in agitated amusement at the normally cocky criminal. “Couldn’t even get a...what did you call her? Frail little flower?” He scoffed. “Pathetic.”

Dabi ignored the pointed comment, still seething in the memory of that...that man...showing up at random. If he recognized Dabi, he didn’t show it. Of course. OF COURSE old pro hero Endeavor would be there. She was the girlfriend of his precious little chosen-son and would naturally be safe-guarded. Their source had been wrong. Alone and vulnerable? Please. Alone and vulnerable Dabi’s ass. They barely got out before Ground Zero arrived.

And OF COURSE that beautiful woman he had been eying for himself was with his brother. It was infuriating the day he saw them on the train together but it gave him a nasty idea. She would be a valuable hostage to use against the number two hero...and fun to play with in the meantime. Valuable to use to destroy his brother’s happiness, break him and chip away at the pedestal of pro-heroes.

Toga poked her head in through a glass-less window. “Is he done setting things on fire yet?”

“Yeah,” Twice said from the corner. “Just smashing things, now.”

Toga skipped into the grimy space, kicking leaves and dirt. “Oh ‘Raki!”

“I told you not to call me that,” Shigaraki said flatly.

“I bet Dabi-san didn’t even notice the most exciting, delicious thing yet about Ani-san!”

“Ani?” Dabi slowly turned to her. “How did you figure out her name?"

“It was on the mailboxes, duhhh.” Toga playfully stuck her tongue out at him. “And the exciting thing isn’t her name!” She squealed. “You know the healer? The fountain-of-youth we’ve been looking for?? I think it’s her!!”

Shigaraki slid down from his seat atop a massive wooden crate. “What?”

“Yeah,” Toga said with an unrestrained giggle. “I saw one of my first cuts on her—it healed like, almost instantly.” She clapped and twirled in a circle. “And the taste of her blood is SO good. SO unique! It’s like...nothing I’ve ever tasted and after I sampled it—” she held her arms out, sleeves rolled up “—all my scrapes healed. Like, so quickly I could WATCH!”

Shigaraki began scratching his throat. “She...was the...healer? How is that possible?”

“Well,” Toga squeezed her own cheeks as they flushed. “Dabi’s been watching her and she gets off the train at the stop for Dagoben General, right? She definitely didn’t seem like a fighter but she still knew simple things to make us hurt and slow us down while we were trying to kidnap her...so what if she was a nurse there? Makes sense right? Pro-heroes come in, drink a little of her blood and all their injuries go away!”

Dabi hated how much sense it made and rage began to build within him anew.

“And my-oh-my,” Toga crooned. “How much she loves that pro-hero. I could see it. I could SMELL it on her before I even tasted her blood but after drinking it,” she giggled “I could fall in love with Todoroki myself.”

Dabi roared and sent a column of blue flame up into the rafters scattering bats in a flee for their lives.

“Try to leave something left of this place. We’ll need somewhere to keep her once we get our hands on her again,” Kurogiri said from the corner.

Shigaraki’s manic laugh started. “This is better than I could have hoped. We’ll get a healer again, an advantage we haven’t had since the first nomu, and take the pro-heroes down a peg by getting our hands on one of theirs.” He cackled raucously and opened his arms to the dark night. “And we'll make sure she won’t get away next time!”

Dabi stared down at his hands. He already had his hands on her and was overcome with addiction. He needed more. He would have his hands on her again. And the handy freak show was right. The next time, she wouldn’t get away.

Chapter 30: Morning Coffee

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Shouto was gently pulled out of sleep by the sound of his phone. When he realized it wasn’t his alarm but a phone call, his eyes flew open in a panic only to immediately see Ani’s sleeping face next to him. He huffed in relief and quietly slipped from their futon to answer in the hall.

It was the head of HR.

“Hello?” Shouto answered, concerned why they could be calling so early.

“Good morning Mr. Todoroki. I’m sorry to call you so early.”

“It’s okay. What’s the reason?” He asked, stifling a yawn.

“Something has come up in my personal life that I must attend to today. I will not be in until tomorrow and thus am amending Miss Shida’s first day on her contract to tomorrow. I will call her momentarily to inform her.”

“That won’t be necessary,” Shouto glanced at the closed bedroom door. “I will inform her myself.”

There was a beat of silence from the other end. “If you’d like. I...Mr. Todoroki, I am profoundly sorry to push back Miss Shida’s first day like this and apologize to you, as well, for any negative reflections this has on you and your agency.”

In truth, the HR director rarely took days off. They were one of the most reliable employees next to Dojire so Shouto didn’t mind. He was actually quite grateful Ani could have a day of rest after yesterday.

“All is forgiven,” Shouto assured.

“Thank you, sir. I will see you and Miss Shida tomorrow morning.”

“Yes. Thank you.” Shouto peeked in to see if the call had woken Ani but she was still sound asleep. She had shifted slightly to snuggle deep into Shouto’s pillow and it brought a smile to his face.

The smile stayed in place as Shouto went in search of food for himself and Ani when she woke. Coffee smell wafted down the hall, cautioning Shouto that someone else was awake. He was relieved to find Fuyumi sitting at the counter in the kitchen.

“Good morning,” he greeted her and she caught the unusual lift to his voice. Her eyes followed him as he moved through the kitchen, still smiling.

“Good morning, little brother.” It was heart-warming to see him in such a good mood. “I’m glad to see you’re still here. I thought you and Ani might have snuck out last night.”

Shouto shook his head as he poured himself a cup of coffee. “Ani needed rest and she fell asleep after we talked last night.”

Fuyumi’s brow dipped. “Is everything okay?”

“Okay as it can be after what she went through.” He sat down to spend a few minutes with her before Ani woke up. "Thank you for coming here. I can't imagine what would have happened if you didn't"

“I'm glad you called me. I'm always here to help you, Shouto.” She watched her brother carefully. “How are you doing?”

His eyes hardened. “I’m...not sure.”

“What’s wrong?”

Shouto ran his hands through his hair, feeling the two different textures. “I’m angry.”

“With those criminals? The people who attacked Ani?”

He nodded. “And also our father.”

“Our father? Why?”

Shouto’s eyes glinted with hard anger. “He wasn’t there at Ani’s by chance yesterday. He went to interfere with my relationship.”

Fuyumi digested his point and drank her coffee. “I don’t know...maybe he just wanted to meet her.”

Shouto crossed his brawny arms. “I doubt it. Our father is incapable of human decency and lacks basic compassion.”

Fuyumi shrugged. “I don’t know, I think he likes her.”

Shouto eyed his sister flatly as if she’d gone mad. “What makes you think that?”

 


Fuyumi groggily shuffled out of her room and down the hall in desperate need of coffee. She had a hard time falling asleep as she thought about everything that happened. She yawned and moved on auto-pilot through her childhood home. She almost missed the gruff sound of her father’s voice from behind his closed office door.

“Yes, she was the same girl who was attacked.”

--The other person must have been talking and Fuyumi leaned closed, eavesdropping as if she was a little girl again.

“Yes, but I’m not sure how badly.”

--

“No, With her regeneration I’m sure she’s fine. Besides I didn’t want to risk walking into a trap!”

--

“Yes, she seemed fine but the irresponsible child will probably insist on coming in today to make a good impression.”

--

“No, you just need to postpone her start date.”

--

“I don’t care how! Just something unrelated and inconspicuous!”

--

--

“I couldn’t care less! I simply refuse to have a new clinic started at my family’s agency by a nurse who can’t think straight!” He barked “just get it done!”

Fuyumi heard her father slam his phone down and angrily drop into his chair. She rushed away from the closed door back on her mission to find coffee.

 

“Oh,” Fuyumi said with a smile at her secret. “Just a feeling."

Notes:

I hope I'm not disappointing with the recent short chapters! They just didn't seem to work lumped together in a large chunk.

Chapter 31: Hurricane

Notes:

*NSFW*

Chapter Text

Ani woke up as Shouto slipped back into the room. She watched him turn around and pause.

“You’re awake,” he murmured and joined her on the floor, immediately sensing her distress. “What’s wrong?”

She closed her eyes and stifled the sobs that wracked through her body as tears unwillingly dripped to the pillow. Shouto went under the blankets and brought her to his chest as she cried.

“I just need a minute,” she croaked. “Then I can get up and get ready for work.”

Shouto was beyond relieved he could tell her “your first day has been officially rescheduled for tomorrow and—” he looked down to her red-streaked eyes as she pulled back “before you protest you need to know it’s not my doing. The director called, something personal came up and they needed the day off.”

Ani’s eyes roamed across him as she absorbed the information and relaxed. He welcomed her return to his body. She nuzzled against him, gently sobs silently shaking her. His spirit twisted in pain at her suffering and felt the vehement need to tear the city apart. He wanted to do whatever it took to help her heal. To help her feel safe.

Ani knew what she had to do once she could stop crying. She was going to ask Aino if she could stay with him while her apartment was being cleaned up and thought of all the things she needed to do as if they were simple home repairs. It was less distracting that way.

“Ani...” Shouto’s deep voice parted her thoughts. “Will you move in with me?”

“What?” She gasped against his body.

This time, Shouto didn’t let her pull back. He felt suddenly vulnerable which only made him embarrassed and more self-conscious. He couldn’t bring himself to see her face or reaction until he knew her answer.

“You can’t stay in your apartment. You need a place to live and it’s something I planned on asking you anyway. I want you to move in with me. It’s closer to the agency so you won’t have a long commute. And you’ll be safer in my building. Which will make me feel better when I have to go out to respond to incidents. I have plenty of space.” Oh god why was he rambling?! “You can have the guest room if you want, if you’re more uncomfortable with the idea of sharing my room.”

Ani lay still in his arms, breathing shallowly. “Are...you doing this because you feel guilty?”

Now he pulled back, needing her to see him. “No. Absolutely not. I want you to be safe but more than that...I want you to be with me. To live with me." His eyes were hard and deep as they bored into hers. "The thought of waking up next to you and seeing you every day after work gives me...I don’t even know how to say it...It brings color to my life...when I never realized everything was gray before.” He brushed her cheek with the back of his hand, leaving a cold trail. “I love you. And I want however much of yourself you’re willing to share with me.”

There was such power and strength in his voice that Ani was convinced on the sound of it alone but the look in his eyes, the intensity of his two tones as they locked onto hers swept her completely away. She was gone. Long lost into the sea of her own feelings for him. And the way he looked at her now with the passion and certainty in his voice was like a hurricane, drawing up all of her own feelings into a storm threatening to blow her away.

She let her caution go in that wind.

“I want to live with you.” She gazed up at him. “I want you to have all of me.”

She slid her fingers up to his neck and gently brought their lips together, soft skin touching lightly at first until a fire lit in her core and she pressed into his lips. He deeply kissed her back. She accepted his warm, wet tongue to wrestle with her own and dominate her mouth breaking only to lift her shirt up over her head. She pulled him back down on top of her and he straddled her hips, leaning back to take off his own shirt then return to feverishly reclaim her mouth. They kept their relentless attack of each other’s lips and Ani opened Shouto’s zipper as he pushed her sweat pants down.

All he had been able to think about all night was how close she had come to being kidnapped. He couldn’t lose her. He wanted her, needed her, more than anything else.

They chased the kiss around as they each maneuvered out of their pants. Shouto was already fully erect and settled his boxer-brief-covered waist between Ani’s legs. Within moments he felt dampness soaking through the fabric and reached down, eyes opening in shock as he discovered Ani had already stipped her underwear off, too. She laid beneath him completely naked, wet with her evident arousal for him and breasts squished against the smooth, strong planes of his chest. He smiled into their kiss, completely taken and swept away by the girl beneath him. He hesitated no longer.

He pushed down his own boxer-briefs, Ani helping him get them off with as much eager need as he, and still their lips stayed connected. The moment he was naked he positioned himself, head lined up at the silky wet of her entrance, and pulled back only for a moment to look at her.

She smiled, nodded, and pulled him back to her lips.

He eased his way into her, his dick parting her warm, wet folds with a delicious pressure. She pulled back from their kiss to catch her breath as his massive erection pressed into her aching, ready-but-tight cunt. He paused, giving her a moment to adjust to him and to keep himself from ramming into her. She kissed him a few times and held his face gently tracing his jaw and nodded again, wanting him to move.

He pushed farther, squeezed by the sopping walls and watched in concern as her eyes rolled back, closing. Her hands slid down his muscled body and grabbed his firm ass to fully sheath him inside of her with one fluid push. They both groaned at the sudden intrusion. Shouto from being so surrounded, Ani from being so filled.

He lifted an eyebrow at her. “Impatient?” he cheekily asked.

Ani bit her lip as she tried not to smile and pink tinted her cheeks. “Yeah, a little.”

He grinned his full smile and took her breath away. He wanted to take his time with her but the need to take her, to claim her, entirely as his own was far too strong.

She was his girlfriend.

She was going to work for him.

She was going to live with him.

His heart was as surrounded by her as his cock and he couldn’t wait anymore. He pulled out and slammed back into her, ramming so deep he hit her cervix. She moaned and he caught the sound with his mouth to keep her quiet. He didn’t want her to be embarrassed later.

He would make her scream his name. Later at their apartment. And maybe in his office. The new clinic, too, once it was finished.

The thought of having her any way he wanted and all the possibilities made his subconscious run wild as he savored the taste and sound and feeling of the woman beneath him, fueling his hips as they pumped his dick in and out of her. He slipped out and felt pulled back in by the suction of her. He slid an arm under her back to bring her closer to him as he braced himself on his other arm. She arched her back in response, dragging her nipples against his skin. It made her moan into his mouth and his hips snapped a deep thrust. Her pelvis stretched, too, and tightened the muscles around her clit as Shouto thrusted and hit a new angle.

Her hands flew to his face, whining around his tongue as he retraced that stroke. Her breaths began to match his pace and he pumped harder, pumped faster, following the same path that hit deep in her cervix and that bundle of nerves. Her legs folded and gave him deeper access as she continued moaning, whimpering into his mouth. His abs flexed, muscles working as he kept up the relentless pounding. Over and over and over. Thrusting vigorously into her until she was grasping for his shoulders and moaning into his kiss as the wire snapped and her orgasm shot across her body like lightning.

She mewled a muffled cry into his mouth and clutched at him, a rock in rough sea, as her orgasm gushed and clenched down around his cock. He groaned, echoing her cry with a deep sound of his own climax. He came hard and fast in response to her, her walls milking his member as he shot hot, thick ropes of cum deep inside of her, filling her up and marking her with the most primal claim he could make.

He kept pumping, riding out the orgasm, and each thrust grew slower and more subdued as they floated back down to themselves. Shouto gave her mouth one last sweep with his tongue as he withdrew and rested his head next to hers on the pillow. Their ragged breaths were the only sound as he lay there still fully sheathed inside of her.

She wrapped her arms around him and whispered “I love you, Sho.”

Shouto smiled into her messy hair, thinking about how he wanted to hear her say his name like that forever. “I love you, Ani.”

She turned her head to look at him. “Can we please shower together now?”

He smirked. “I guess we’ve already had sex in my old room. A shower isn’t any worse.”

Ani’s eyes popped open and her face turned crimson.

“What?” Shouto asked with a cocked eyebrow.

“I forgot we were in your family’s house!”

Shouto smirked. He couldn’t help feeling a little smug from that. “Come on,” he said pulling out and picking her up bridal-style from the ground. She squeaked and clung to him as cold air swirled around her suddenly empty entrance. He laughed once at her cute reaction and warmed her back against his left side as he carried her into the bathroom.

Chapter 32: Going Home

Notes:

*Trigger warning: Light PTSD*

Chapter Text

Shouto didn’t have Ani’s helmet so Fuyumi offered to drive her brother’s girlfriend back to his apartment. They easily chatted as Shouto followed them. Fuyumi told Ani what it was like growing up under their father’s oppressive rule and a few of the things Shouto had been through. Ani didn’t pry, she wasn’t interested in digging to get more information from Fuyumi because she wanted to know what Shouto was ready to share, when he was ready.

Fuyumi told Ani about her three sons and husband. Ani talked about her late parents and older brother, what the ER had been like until Shouto’s building came into view.

Fuyumi clicked her tongue. “He took the sign down.”

“What sign?” Ani looked around trying to imagine what could have been where.

“The Todoroki Towers sign.” Fuyumi laughed. “It’s not like no one knows what it is.”

Ani’s brow furrowed. “...Todoroki...Towers...?”

“Yeah,” Fuyumi laughed again. “Maybe he finally became a bit more humble about it.”

“Why?” Ani turned to Fuyumi. “Did the other tenants complain?”

Fuyumi gave Ani a curious glance as she parked. “What other tenants?”

Ani blinked flatly at Fuyumi.

Um...whawaat....?

Fuyumi’s eyebrows lifted at Ani’s reaction. “You...didn’t know?”

Shouto pulled in next to them and Ani scanned the other parked vehicles suddenly understanding that they were all Shouto’s. The whole building and everything in it belonged to him. She tried not to hyperventilate.

No wonder Endeavor thought she was a gold-digger.

“Oh, wow, Ani, I’m—oh shit, here comes my brother—hey!” She said opening the door and standing up out of the car. She tried catching Shouto’s attention to warn him but Ani climbed out and her shell-shocked expression took all of his attention.

“Ani, what’s wrong?” He worried she changed her mind about moving in.

“You-” she cleared her hoarse voice “-you own the whole building?”

He nodded sheepishly.

“And...you’re the only one who lives here?”

“Well...now you, too, hopefully...”

Ani’s heart was racing. This man before her must have had unimaginable wealth. Like mind-blowing, no-way-she-could-ever-be-seen-as-his-equal kind of wealth. It was overwhelming. Why did he want to be with her?!

She began to feel light-headed. “Y-yeah, I do...”

“But?” He asked at her hesitation.

It felt like a cruel joke. That this rich, strong, caring, fucking sexy-ass pro hero could be in love with her.

“I’m kind of waiting to wake up...because this just seems like a dream...” Ani said. Shouto let out a laugh and it made Fuyumi gape. Ani’s tension eased. She gave him a playful glower and said “how could that be so funny?”

“I don’t know,” he said and pulled her in for a hug. He kissed the top of Ani’s head and Fuyumi’s heart bloomed. She’d never seen her younger brother like this before. She smiled warmly and went back to her car.

“Hey, heading out?” Shouto asked when she opened her car door.

“Yeah,” she said smiling at them. "You guys need some alone time together."

“Will you visit again soon?” Ani asked from her spot in Shouto’s embrace.

Fuyumi nodded. “I look forward to it.”

Ani and Shouto waved as she got into her car and drove out. Shouto hugged her tightly again and pulled away enough to look at her. “Well,” Shouto said, pressing her against him. “Would you like to come upstairs to our apartment?”

Ani rolled her eyes. “I haven’t even moved in yet...I don’t think it counts.”

“Would you feel better about it if we go get your things?” Fear passed over Ani’s face, draining it of color and he added “I’ll be with you the whole time. I won’t leave your side.” He brushed her hair back. “You will be safe.”

The thought of going back so soon made her skin prickle, dewy with the sweat of fear. But she needed her clothes and whatever other few, measly possessions she still had. She nodded nervously. “Okay.”

“Are you sure? We don’t have to right now.” He rand his hands down to her hips. There was no point in hiding his wealth now. “Or ever again, really. We can buy you a whole new wardrobe.”

Her eyes bulged and she gaped at him. “Wh-what?! No! I don’t want you spending money on me like that! There’s no reason for it!” She swallowed thickly. “I can do this.”

Shouto wasn’t so sure but he had put the idea out there so he would see it through and take care of her. He chose an SUV to bring her across the city and held her hand the whole way there. It trembled as they came through her neighborhood.

“Ani...” Shouto said over the soft radio sounds. “We don’t have to do this.”

“As long as you’re by my side...I can do anything,” Ani whispered. She was going to be working with the pros; she needed to learn how to comeback from something like this. Shouto respected her strength and set aside the concerned words surfacing in his mind as they drove over the scorched pavement. Ani stared. It was the first time she saw the damage outside. They pulled in and parked.

Ani drew in a deep breath and murmured “I won’t let them take my home from me.” It was a verbal sentiment said mainly for herself but Shouto heard it and it echoed inside of him.

He felt the same way.

They waited until another resident finished crossing the parking lot and then got out. Ani didn’t want to have to talk to anyone today; this would be hard enough as it was. She found herself on her own doorstep. There were no signs of damage here. Aside from the police notices, it looked like it always did. Shouto waited patiently behind her, prepared to wait as long as she needed until she pulled out her keys. She unlocked the door and paused to gather strength. Gently she eased it open with a familiar creaking sound and that was the last familiar thing.

A tremor rolled through her as her teary eyes surveyed the carnage. Burns, debris, glass. It was once her cherished home but now...it felt like nothing. Now that she was here, she just wanted to get her stuff and get out. All her courage was evaporating.

“C’mon.” She grabbed Shouto’s hand and they went in together. Shouto looked over the damage again and he felt the sadness flowing from Ani. He helped her stuff all of her clothes into her two suitcases as she tried not to look at the massive blood stain. Her hands, her whole body was shaking as the violent sounds reverberated in her memory.

The sounds of her world being destroyed, strangers growling, attacking her. Their awful voices in her head growing so loudly she was sobbing. Shouto’s heart broke for her. He wrapped her against him and he let her bury herself into his chest. He felt more and more anger building in his veins as he stared at the blood they spilled.

They would pay for this.

Ani was still crying when she said “I don’t want to be here any longer.”

“I understand,” he said and lifted her suitcases. She threw toiletries from her bathroom into a duffel bag and shoved whatever books were undamaged on top. They were approaching the door when Ani said “wait!”

She rushed back to her room and Shouto watched her run to her bed. She pulled something out from under her pillow and returned to his side with a rich color to her face. It was his shirt. The one he wrapped around her to keep her warm during their picnic. She held it to her chest almost guiltily. Shout’s mouth twitched and he restrained a smile. He was inexplicably happy to see she still treasured it and never wanted her to feel badly about it. He set her suitcases down and slipped the duffel bag off her shoulder. She let him take the shirt from her arms and looked up adoringly at him when he draped it over her shoulder.

“I love you, Ani,” he said.

“I love you, too, Sho.” She nuzzled the fabric against her face. He tried to pick up the duffel bag but she quickly sleeved her arms and took it back, refusing to let him carry everything.

She looked back once more across her apartment, not knowing when or how she was going to fix all of it. With a glance at the red-white head waiting for her in the hall she realized she didn't care. She closed and locked the door without a second thought.

Chapter 33: However You Feel

Chapter Text

Bakugo had night patrols. He usually didn’t mind but the sidekick with him tonight was being so fucking annoying. He wouldn’t fucking shut up about his stupid weight training or something. Bakugo didn’t give a shit right now. And when his phone dinged he tuned the sidekick out completely.

 

Hey, Bakugo? This is Ani. I got your number from Shouto...I hope that’s okay.

 

His heart pounded. His pulse throbbed. “Oi, take some solo time and meet back at the office,” he said and without waiting for an answer he launched himself into the air, landing on a rooftop in a different part of the neighborhood.

 

What’s up beauti—shit what was he thinking?! What’s up goldilocks?

 

I wanted to say thank you. Shouto told me that you came to my apartment yesterday to help me. So...thank you!

 

He stared at his phone. He was shocked; the damn icy-hot bastard could have just lied! Or just not told her at all... Yeah...whatever...you’re welcome

 

Seriously, I know you hate me so it means a lot that you would come save me despite how you feel

 

I told you, I don’t hate you.

 

Haha, okay...however you feel, then

 

Bakugo swung his feet as they dangled from the edge of the roof where he sat. How are you feeling?

 

He waited but her response was taking longer. He kept waiting. Fuck, fuck fuck fuck. Why did he ask that?! She was probably laughing at him with icy-hot! He shouldn’t have asked. He does NOT care about her.

 

Much better, thanks! Sorry for taking so long to respond, I’m just finishing unpacking

 

The relief he felt was unpalatable. He felt disgusted with himself as he couldn’t help respond. Unpacking?

 

Yeah...I’m unpacking my stuff at Shouto’s place. He says hi, btw

 

Bakugo’s fist clenched around his phone and the case protested the pressure. He huffed out of his nostrils and tried to stay cool. She just gave him her number. If he wanted to keep talking to her at all he knew he had to stay cool.
Oh. Hey. Why are you staying there?

 

Lol, did you sseeee my apartment yesterday? I can’t stay there...

 

Right. That massive fucking blood stain. Yeah...but why are you staying with him. Isn’t your brother a surgeon or something? He should have plenty of space

 

I almost stayed with him but Shouto’s apartment is closer to his agency. I’m starting my new job there tomorrow!!

 

Staying cool was getting harder and harder now. Are you going to go back to your apartment when it’s fixed?

 

Maybe. I don’t know. There’s a lot to fix.

 

Bakugo turned his face up to the night sky and what few, but dazzling stars were visible as he felt the gentle night breeze.

He sent himself off with a few small explosions and launched the extra block to her building and landed on her balcony. Glass crunched under his feet.

The curtains swayed in the dismal night light as he let himself in between the lines of police tape. He couldn’t believe himself. He was here...filled with anger and remorse that this happened, that it drove her away from his neighborhood. He hated how he wanted her to come back. Because if she was here, if she was closer, maybe he had a chance. A chance at crossing her path again, a chance at seeing her...getting to know her as she got to know him...

For fuck’s sake. Just how far gone was he?!

Chapter 34: Love

Chapter Text

Ani was nearly skipping into the Todoroki Agency with excitement and Shouto watched her from the corner of his eye with a smirk. He enjoyed the ride in to work with her much more than he thought he would have, her quiet but fizzling energy lighting up the morning along the way.

The director of HR was there and apologized sincerely for missing Ani’s first day; she assured them it wasn’t a problem.

They walked Ani and Shouto through a space on the third floor that was already being cleared to create the clinic. Ani helped outline needs and the floor plan to accommodate space enough for five beds, an office, a generous supply closet, and a small, emergency operating room which she insisted she didn’t need. Shouto insisted she did.

By the end of the first day the design was complete, the space was cleared, and construction had begun.

“Are they going to work here all night?” Ani asked as they left. She remembered the demands of a night shift and felt guilty seeing it put on other workers.

Shouto nodded without a hesitation. “Yes. Construction is to be done by the end of the week.”

Ani’s mouth dropped. “Sho, that’s...” her forehead wrinkled with concern.

He paused on the walk to cup her face and reassure her “I have patrols going around the clock and one of my team could be hurt at any moment so there’s no reason to delay in getting the clinic established.” He searched her eyes. “The workers are being compensated generously for the demanding schedule, if that’s your concern.”

She smirked, wondering how he was getting to know her so well. “Good. I remember how awful night shifts used to be." His expression hardened and her brow furrowed in worry. “What’s wrong?”

He stared into her eyes for a moment. “I’m glad you’re here, Ani.”

“I’m glad to be here,” she said and leaned into the hand still gently pressed against her cheek. She waited, sensing there was more he wanted to ask.

“Would you...come to the hospital with me and have dinner with my mother?”

Ani’s eyes widened. “You...you want me to meet her?”

“Yes.” Shouto’s two-toned eyes bore down into hers, glowing in the dim light of the evening. “She wants to meet you, too.”

Ani took a breath, not needing any longer to consider it. “Okay. Let’s do it.”

His eyes flickered with disbelief. “Really?”

“Yes, definitely.” Ani nodded more confidently. “We can stop and get her favorite take-out on the way.”

Shouto stared at her with wide, glowing eyes and a heart full of appreciation for her. She was willing to do this, even after meeting his father.

“Why do you look so shocked?” She asked him.

“I didn’t think you’d be up for it after meeting Endeavor.”

Ani laughed. “That’s why?” She rested her head against his chest. “Endeavor doesn’t worry me.”

“Does my mother?”

“Yes,” admitted Ani. “I know how much she means to you and how important her opinion is going to be.”

 


Rei saw the things only a mother sees, even a distant mother like herself. “It’s alright...” She watched him searching for words. “This is no ordinary visit...is it, my son?”

He swallowed thickly and shook his head, unable to figure out how to start.

“Well...very few things have ever made you this flustered.” Rei smiled warmly. “What’s her name?”

“Her name is Shida Ani,” Shouto said as a smile teased the corners of his lips. “She’s a nurse.”

“How did you meet?” Rei asked, smiling in the warmth of her son’s timid happiness.

“She saved my life.” Shouto looked at his hands folded together. “Twice.”

“Wow.” Rei weighed her son’s words. “Was that when you were in the hospital recently?”

“Yes.” His eyes drifted to the window. “She fought against my quirk to save me when I first went into the ER and then saved me again when the doctors couldn’t...she gave up everything to save my life.”

“What do you mean?”

“She didn’t want the hospital to find out what she could do. She never wanted anyone to know because she didn’t want to be taken advantage of.” He looked at his mother. “She has as much drive and passion for helping others as Midoriya, she just doesn’t want to be known for it.”

“What does she want?”

He smiled, recalling their first night in her apartment together. “She wants to use her quirk to save others.”

“So what has you so flustered about her?”

“I feel like I’m not myself. I can’t focus on work or patrolling when I’m apart from her. I want to spend all of my time with her, to be with her as much as she’ll let me. I think about her all the time. I...I think I’m in love with her.”

Rei watched her son closely, listening intently. “You think?...Are you unsure?”

“No.” His eyes met his mothers. “I’m sure. I love her.”

“Then what is it?” Her eyes softened. “What’s bothering you?”

“Isn’t this too quick?” He searched her expression with a serious concern. “It’s like everything in my life has shifted so drastically after knowing her for such a short time. It’s reckless.”

“It’s love,” Rei said softly. Shouto looked to her and she saw a ghost of her young son, a lost boy who never learned what love really meant or felt like. “It won’t make sense. It will change everything about you...and that’s okay. As long as you are happy, as long as being with her is what you want you don’t need to make sense of it.

“Some people are together for a few weeks and know they’re each other’s future and spend the rest of their lives together. Some people date for years then get married and can’t stand it and get divorced. Some people have arranged marriages that don’t work and others have the most loving relationship out of an arranged marriage. There is no formula my son.

“As long as you are happy, as long as you’re following your heart, I won’t judge you. You have always had a clear sense of what you want and a pure heart. If you’ve found a partner in this girl, I’m sure she is undoubtedly someone special, someone worthy of your love.”

“Without a doubt,” he said and smiled softly, eyes falling back to his own hands. His mother gently touched his chin, tilting his face back up.

“Then don’t hesitate, my son.” She smiled. “Love her with everything you have and I will, too.”

 

Shouto smiled into her hair, not wanting her to see. “I’m not worried at all.”

 

~

 

Ani began to fall asleep on the ride home. Shouto smiled, incredibly grateful for her in every way. He pulled into his building as quietly as possible and she didn’t stir as he parked. He lifted her carefully from the car and she sighed, still asleep, as she settled against his chest in his arms. He couldn’t take his eyes from her peaceful face as he brought her upstairs. A light smile teased the corners of her lips and he felt his heart thump harder with each passing moment.

He carried her through the doorway and managed to slip her shoes off without waking her. Crossing his—now their apartment—he laid her down in their bed. His hands traced soft, smooth skin of her legs as he tucked her in and he was brought back to the first night he met her.

His heart ripened with the memory and he sat down next to her sleeping form watching her comfortably adjust into the bed. He sat there for a few long moments reflecting on how lucky he was in every way. Lucky she had been working that night. Lucky she had been willing to save his life. And then lucky enough that she cared to save him again. He didn’t know what to expect when Aino brought him to her apartment, what his savior would be like and she surpassed his imagination in every way.

And after everything she had done for him, she was still saving him. Warming his world with her love, strengthening his agency with her hard work, and filling in the gaps of his life he never noticed before.

He brushed a few stray hairs out of her face, tucking them behind her ear. There was so much he wanted to say to her, to give to her but he didn’t know how.

“You’ve saved me so many times, Ani...” he whispered, his voice gruff and deep. “How am I ever going to repay you?”

“Love me,” she whispered back, eyes still closed. His heart skipped a beat in surprise; he didn’t expect her to hear him. She found his hand with hers and intertwined their fingers. “Love me.”

If there was one thing he knew he could promise, it was this. “I will.”

She clutched his hand, pulling it close to her smiling face and nuzzled it with her eyes still closed.

Deep, explosive love burned into his whole being and he laid down next to her, letting her keep his hand as she slept.

He left a light kiss on her temple. “Forever,” he whispered and closed his eyes, slipping asleep.

Chapter 35: Good Morning, Good Morning!

Notes:

*NSFW*

Chapter Text

Ani woke with a deep yawn as the sun was rising. She found Shouto sleeping next to her, both of them still in their clothes, his face slack with the depth of his slumber. Their hands remained held through the night and Ani couldn’t bring herself to part from him. She snuggled closer admiring the handsome strength in his features. She lightly brushed hair from his forehead but he stirred at her touch and her fingers retreated. His eyes sleepily parted and found hers guiltily avoiding his.

“I’m sorry for waking you,” she whispered. “Go back to sleep, there’s still plenty of time before we have to get up.”

His eyes focused on her as his body responded to her voice. With his free hand he cupped her face and ran his thumb over her lips. Color faintly dusted her cheeks at his touch and the moment he saw it he knew he wasn’t going back to sleep. He pulled them together replacing his thumb with his lips and his whole body responded, awaking fully to the way she kissed him back.

He pulled her on top of him so she was straddling his hips with her sleepy weight. His tongue traced the lines of her plump lips and teased for permission to enter. She hesitantly parted for him, worried he would be repelled by her morning state but he vigorously claimed her mouth and her worries were long forgotten as she felt her own erogenous zones sparkle from his enthusiasm.

She felt him harden under her as she straddled him and her parts began to heat with need. She sat up to quickly lift her shirt over her head and he yanked his own off, bare chest waiting for her as she returned to his mouth. His hands flew to her back and wasted no time in undoing her bra, straps falling limp to his own body. Ani helped him remove the undergarment without losing the connection at their lips and whimpered. Her nipples were already hard and sensitive as they pressed into the planks of Shouto’s muscled chest. She ground her nips against him, his body warming one and cooling the other as she rubbed the sensitive tits into his skin.

A small line of drool dripped down Shouto’s cheek as she salivated in response to the stimulation and Shouto was hungry for more of her body’s reactions. He pushed her pants down with a hard need to make her cum. She willingly shifted, allowing him to fully strip her and helped unclothe his dick. She licked her lips hungrily, wanting to taste him. He growled, strongly resisting the urge to fuck her face to instead watch her ride him to orgasm in the early morning.

He pulled her back to him before she could get her mouth on his cock and brought their lips together. She straddled him again, his head teasing her entrance. He effortlessly lifted her waist and lined himself up but, before he could ease himself in, she slammed herself down, impaling herself on him in one smooth swipe and threw her head back releasing a moan from deep in her body. Shouto’s eyes rolled back in his head at the sudden feeling of her wet, tight cunt squeezing him and they both took a moment to savor the feeling. When he opened his eyes, he found her eyes pressed tightly shut, chest heaving breaths through a mouth parted in pleasure. Her pale skin was flushed, hair unruly from sleep and he possessively marveled at the woman mounted on top of him.

His own breath became deep as he rolled his hips, thrusting up into her. She braced herself on his chest moaning with the movement. A dark greed over took him as he thrusted again, slightly harder, and she clenched her eyes shut, fingertips digging into his chest. His hands slowly traced up the side of her thighs, leaving trails of heat and frost along her skin as he began to rock his hips steadily setting a torturously slow pace that made her moan with every joust of his meaty length into her cervix.

“Mnn, Sho,” she whimpered, moaning in rhythm with his motion as her arousal flowed down his member soaking his pelvis and thighs. He stared at her face gearing up to fuck her hard. He wanted her eyes to open so he could watch her come undone from the depths of her being. He gradually made each thrust faster, each thrust deeper and her cries began to blend together into one long, sensual sound that he pumped out of her.

She was practically falling apart, a slur of groans and cries mingled with his name pouring out as he fucked up into her with a relentless pounding. She felt him slamming away at her pussy so hard her breasts bounced; the perky mounds springing up and down as he no longer held back. She was his.

He felt her walls clenching down with feral strength, gushing fluids as a powerful surge of sensation built in her clit. She cried out, the sound building as he shifted his warm hand, adding a thumb to the bundle of nerves to send her over the edge.

He rubbed with the hot digit and heard her gasping for breath.

“Oh, SHOUTOO!” She shouted, nearly screamed his name, and her eyes flew open to meet his iridescent irises boring up into hers with a primeval intensity that told her this morning wasn’t over yet.

He kept his relentless pounding up into her sopping, spasming cavern and watched in satisfaction as her skin glistened, the way her entire body was flushed, color surfacing across her skin as he aggressively pursued a second climax from her. He replaced his hot thumb with the contrasting digit and sent a shock of cold into her nerves.

Now she screamed.

“AHH— ” her hands flew to her own chest as her nipples hardened painfully and her second orgasm struck her like lightning. “SHOUTOO!”

Frigid cold lightning. It spread like an icy fire through every nerve of her body leaving her muscles limp in its wake as Shouto’s warm seed filled her cunt. His hands snaked up her back and he quickly sat up, despite his own draining finish, to hold her tired form. Her eyes slowly opened and closed. He cupped her face with his right hand and gradually lowered the temperature of his skin to cool her overheating body down enough so she could catch her breath.

She rested her head on his shoulder, sagging against his rugged body.

“You’re amazing,” he whispered and kissed her exposed neck.

She laughed breathlessly. “Says the paragon of morning sex.”

He smirked with immense satisfaction at the way the morning had gone. He could wake up like this every day. A new curiosity formed in his mind: what was her limit? How many times could she finish in one session? He was glad she couldn’t see him as he filed that one away for another time.

“Can I take you out for breakfast?" He asked. He brushed hair from the sweat of her back as she shook her head.

“No...” She murmured against his body. Almost too quiet for him to hear she added “I don’t want to share you.”

He knew that feeling well. “I’ll cook for you then.”

“Mm, that would be amazing,” she said and noticed the state of his loins. “I think a shower is needed first.”

“Of course,” he said. The deep timbre of his voice resonated through her. She leaned back and looked at him hopefully. He raised an eyebrow at her. “Together?”

She smiled sheepishly and nodded.

“Why do you like it so much?” He asked as he shuffled them to the edge of the bed. He held her in place, refusing to let her dismount when she tried to get off of him.

“I love the water,” she admitted. “It’s so soothing and relaxing...It's nice to share that space with you.”

“I understand that.” He pulled out with a sinful squelch of her wet folds and carried her across the room with her legs still wrapped around him. He caught the look in her eye. “Why else?”

She blushed, deeply. “Well...” she couldn’t meet his gaze. “I might have a slight...little...temperature kink.” Slowly she raised her eyes to his. “Which I've only recently discovered."

His own face flushed with the admission. He would’ve fucked her in that moment if he hadn’t already taken her this morning. God she was perfect for him. The two tones of his eyes churned as they scoured the deep blue of her own. She pecked his lips with a simple kiss.

“I love you, Sho,” she said as he lifted her off of his lips and she stood with him in the massive, stone-walled shower.

“I love you, too, Ani.” He drew her into his body for another kiss that made his cock twitch. He held her against him as she looked up into his eyes and he asked “how would you like the water this morning?”

 

 

Ani sat at the table on her new work lap-top while Shouto scrolled through work on his own tablet. Their empty plates of food sat off to the side and coffee mugs emptied to the dregs.

Shouto caught Ani watching him and she smiled at being caught. He lowered his tablet. “What?”

Her smile spread wider and her eyes shimmered. “I’m really happy to be here. With you. With your agency.”

He felt a corner of his mouth pull up. “Me, too.”

Chapter 36: Settling In

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ani used her second day in the office to meet more of the administrative and support staff who worked for Shouto. She met more of his sidekick heroes who were on duty and formed an outline of what her physicals would need to cover.

Construction was well underway and she made sure to visit and express her appreciation for their hard work. Excitement prickled her skin as she made her way up to Shouto’s office at the end of the day. She couldn’t believe she was going to be running her own clinic! She was more excited than she expected and happiest of all that it was going to be here, for Shouto.

Dojire was working at his desk when the elevator opened; he stood when she stepped out and she encouraged him it wasn’t necessary to stop working. She asked if Shouto was busy.

“He’s on a call right now,” Dojire informed her, still standing. “Can I get you something to drink?”

Ani shook her head. “No, thank you.” She glanced at Sho’s door. “Do you know how long he’ll be?”

“Hm,” Dojire glanced, too. “It’s probably going to be a while. You’re welcome to wait here if you’d like.”

“Thank you, Dojire.” She smiled gratefully. “But I don’t want to be a distraction for you if I’m here and I have a feeling you won’t be able to ignore me to work.”

He nodded sheepishly. “It would be wrong of me, Miss Shida, as my boss’s girlfriend. And as an important member of our staff now.”

“I understand. Will you please let me know when he’s done with his call?”

“Of course, Miss,” he assured her as she went back to the elevator.

Ani took the time to wander through the building and familiarize herself with everything in greater detail. And there was a lot she hadn’t seen during her first visit or her first day. She found herself on the floor right beneath Shouto’s and discovered the Todoroki agency had a library. She combed through the shelves quickly noticing they were all related to serving in the agency in some form. Quirk law, hero history, physical training and fitness and many more topics filled out rows and rows of the serene floor. Tables and chairs were arranged in various pockets throughout the space. Ani found an entire area of plushy, comfortable chairs and she gasped. They faced a wall of windows that overlooked the city with a view that rivaled Shouto’s office. She smiled from ear-to-ear with bright shining eyes as she stood right at the glass and took in all the details of a bustling Dagoben laid out before her. She didn’t know how long she stood there before she felt she was no longer alone. She turned around and almost jumped.

Shouto was leaning against the end of the closest book shelf with his arms crossed, watching her with glowing eyes.

“I thought I might find you here,” he said.

“Hi,” she said, blushing, as he pushed off the shelf. She tucked her hands behind her back. He prowled forward in the quiet of the library. “I-I thought Dojire was going to tell me when you were done.”

The intensity in his stare was enough to make her blush and back up, bumping into the glass. He rested his forearm on the glass next to her head and she bit her lip, feeling like a high-schooler talking to her crush for the first time.

“I wanted to find you myself,” he said simply, tracing the outline of her jaw. He tilted her chin up to him as she looked up from under her eyelashes.

“Oh, well...” she smirked up at him. “You found me.”

“So I did,” he whispered as he leaned closer to her lip and his breath breezed across them with a tingle. He gazed so intently into her eyes that it made her heart pound. She tried to close the distance but he pulled back too quickly for her to make contact. "Miss Shida, that's very unprofessional behavior for this office."

She pouted playfully and narrowed her eyes at him. “Then report me to my boss.” She tried to step around him but he grabbed her hips and whipped them around. He turned them both with such force that she fell against him, pressing him into the glass.

Shouto’s expression smoothed over, he was done playing this game. “I’m sorry I missed you,” he said as he kept her pressed against him and he brushed her long hair behind her ear.

“It’s okay, Sho,” she smiled reassuringly. “I know you have to work. Besides...I get to go home with you...how could I be upset?” She felt the minuscule wave of relief ripple through him and his eyes relaxed.

“What do you want to do tonight?” he asked with a youthful excitement fizzing in his chest.

She pressed her lips in a tight line, trying not to smile as she quietly answered “you.”

“Oh,” his eyes widened a fraction with innocent surprise. The corners of his mouth pulled back in delight. “Sounds good to me.”

Ani bit her lip but couldn’t stop them from spreading into a wide grin as she blushed. Screw cooking tonight. They would grab something on their way home. There were better things to do with their time.

 

 

Ani lifted herself onto the counter as Shouto pulled out the pints of ice-cream. He snickered as he noticed the flavors she picked.

“Okay...did you read these flavors?” He asked and she ginned. “Mint Chocolate Deku? Ground Zero Cinnamon Bun?” That one made Ani laugh out loud.

“I did! I couldn’t resist!” She covered her mouth laughing harder.

“Ochacolate?” Shouto couldn’t help but smirk at her as he pulled out the last two. “Strawberry...Shouto?”

She snatched the last one out of his hands and he looked at her, surprised by her speed.

“This one’s for me!” She said with a playful, defensive challenge in her voice.

“What?” He said with a creased brow. “It literally has my name on it.” She hopped down from the counter and ran around the island. “Hey!” He said with a grin as he chased her around the corner.

She laughed, squealing as he caught up to her before she could make it all the way around the island once.

He grabbed her, yanking her back to his chest as he closed his arms around her in a trap. She was laughing hysterically now, giggling as she squirmed in his arms trying to keep him from getting the pint. His brawny arms and hands were too strong against her and he overpowered her quickly.

“Okay! Okay! I’ll share!” She said, gasping for air between laughs. He stopped reaching for the ice-cream and settled into the embrace. He nuzzled her neck.

“You never have to share me,” he whispered and kissed her cheek. She turned and caught his lips before he could retreat and he tightened his hug of her. She smiled and rotated, setting the pint down, to lift her arms over his shoulders.

“I love you, Todoroki Shouto,” she said as she played with the base of his hairline.

He hummed, enjoying the touch. “I love you, Shida Ani.”

They both glanced at the ice-cream pints spread across the counter and looked back to each other.

“A little of each?” Ani asked him in compromise.

He smirked. “Sure.”

 

 

 

 

 

At the end of the day on Friday Ani stood in the clinic with her jaw dropped in awe at the light blue painted walls. Electrical, plumbing, supply lines, everything had been finished in less than a week.

Shouto stood next to her surveying the work with an approving expression. “It looks good,” he offered.

“It’s amazing,” Ani said breathlessly looking around.

With his hands in his pockets he turned to her. “How are you feeling about this?”

She faced him with an incredulous smile. “I can’t believe it. I’m...I’m blown away that it was done this quickly.”

“In...a good way?” He asked, a momentary flicker of worry flashing in his eyes.

“Yes," she nodded. "I feel like I’m waiting to wake up from a dream again. I’m so excited.” Ani saw the smile in his eyes though he tried to hide it.

Shouto was happy. He admitted only to himself that he was nervous she would be scared off as the clinic became more real. Her enthusiasm to be here reinforced his own happiness and enthusiasm. Ani’s phone rang from her pocket and she stepped away, pulling it out and answering.

She paused, listening to the caller with small responses like “oh,” “wow,” “okay.” Shouto stopped surveying the project to watch her expressions. She was alert but not alarmed.

“Okay, thank you,” said Ani and she hung up the phone, turning to Shouto. “That was my landlord.”

“What did they say?” Shouto asked, heart feeling squeezed from the unknown.

Ani’s brow furrowed. “Someone...someone’s paying for my apartment to be remodeled.”

“Oh,” he forced out as his throat tightened. “Wow,” he cleared his throat, feeling like he was being suffocated. What did this mean? Was she going to move out now that her apartment was back to normal?! “That’s...really generous.”

“It’s really annoying,” Ani growled. Her tone made Shouto’s concerned thoughts pause.

“Why?” He asked, watching her face closely.

Ani huffed. “Because Aino told me he didn’t care where I lived as long as I was safe!”

“Aino?” He asked, heart throbbing at every word she said.

“Yes.” She crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes at her absent sibling. “He’s the only one capable of doing something so overly generous, so selfless, trying to guilt trip me back into my apartment.”

“Why would he do that?”

“Who knows.” Ani rubbed her temples. “I told him I didn’t want to live there anymore, even if it was fixed up but he can be so...”

“Domineering?” Shouto offered.

Ani snapped and turned to him. “Yes. Domineering.” She shook her head and shrugged. “I don’t know what the hell he’s thinking but I’m going to give him a piece of my mind.”

Shouto was lost in thought. Ani’s older brother Aino seemed to be a lot of things, especially toward his younger sister. Kind. Generous. Caring.

But not domineering.

No. There was only one person he could think of who would go so over-the-top to get what he wanted and the possibility made his blood boil.

“I have to stop on the fitness floor before we leave. Can I meet you upstairs in my office?” He asked her, voice betraying nothing beneath his placid exterior.

“Of course!” She gave him a smile, moving on from her irritation with the person she assumed was her anonymous benefactor. She gave him a quick peck and he brushed her cheek before leaving.

Notes:

So Fluffy

Chapter 37: Just In Case

Chapter Text

When Ani heard the elevator doors close she pulled out her phone and called her brother’s cellphone.

It went straight to voicemail.

“Listen up you...controlling jackalope! I don’t know what you’re thinking but you’re just wasting your money! I made it clear that I want to live with Shouto. Apartment repaired or not, I want to live with him. Okay? So call my landlord back and undo this so you don’t throw all that cash down the drain. Okay? Ugh. Call me back brother.” She was about to hang up but added “Love you.”

Ani was happily surveying the furniture-less clinic for another long moment when a few of Shouto’s sidekicks came in.

“Hey Shida,” one of them called and Ani turned to see Aves walking in with Flora and Mechanical Instinct, the one who spoke.

Ani smiled, happy to see three of Shouto’s surveillance and stealth team walking in. Mechanical Instinct’s quirk granted him knowledge of the mechanics in any device and allowed him to interfere with it making him into, one of many things, a very talented lock-pick.

Flora was quiet, much quieter than anyone else at Shouto’s agency and hadn’t said more than a few polite words to Ani since her arrival. She gravitated toward Aves, finding the humming-bird-like girl to be good company unfazed by her quiet nature and offered enough conversation to others for both of them. Aves was there when Ani met Flora and was the one who described Flora’s quirk. She—as Aves described it—was basically a plant. Her pale-greenish skin could photosynthesize, she could settle among plants so well that she nearly disappeared, and she could communicate with plants. Aves had trouble describing it since it was so different from how she spoke with birds but she did her best to say it was like Flora could tap into the root-network of plants, any plants, and receive information like it was a superhighway. The heartbeat of the forest Flora quietly offered. It allowed her to surveil locations for long periods of time making her an invaluable member of the team.

Ani was impressed with all three of them. They were so unique and powerful in their own ways and het worked so well together. Their skills combined made for a powerful force of information for the agency.

“Hi, M-I,” she called him by the short-hand he insisted on. “Hi Flora, Hey Aves.”

They approached her as they looked around, taking in the polished state of the soon-to-be-clinic.

“It looks so amazing in here!” M-I said.

“Well, are you really so surprised?” Aves said with a grin. “I mean, our boss doesn’t do anything half-way or half-effort ever so why would he be casual about this especially since it means his girl-friend will be here every day with us!”

M-I's brown eyes fell to Ani. "That's a good point.” He nodded. “How are you feeling about all of this?”

“Excited,” she said and tried to restrain her grin.

“Ohhhh, look at you you’re so excited to be here and you must love our boss so much you’re so cute!” Aves said.

“Aves!” M-I shot her a glance for running her mouth but Ani’s heart clenched, for a moment hearing that insane psycho’s voice echo in her mind. She gasped, turning away trying to hid her panic but the heroes noticed.

“Shida, what’s wrong?” M-I asked, brow furrowed.

“Oh no, Shida what’s wrong what did I say are you okay??” Aves flitted around her, hands trying to figure out what to do but it was Flora who appeared in front of Ani. Flora gently held Ani’s elbows and took deep, exaggerated breaths as her black eyes stared purposefully into Ani’s. Ani matched the breathing, calming down and panic subsiding.

“Thank you,” Ani said, patting Flora’s forearm and the woman let go. The three sidekicks stepped back, watching her intently. “Sorry. It was just a flashback of...”

“Your attack,” M-I offered. Everyone at the office knew what she’d been through.

Ani nodded.

“We all get them,” Aves said at a determinedly slower pace. She smiled but it didn’t touch her eyes. “It happens after something like that but you’ll be okay.”

“Thanks,” she said again with a weak smile. “I should go. I told Shouto I’d meet him in his office.”

“Oooooooo!” Aves squealed ready to launch into another vomit of sentiment but M-I jabbed her with an elbow. She caught herself and calmed down. “Have a good weekend, Miss Shida.”

“Yes, have a good weekend," Flora said in her placid voice.

“Thank you,” Ani said timidly to all of them. “All of you as well.”

As they walked out, M-I was chastising Aves in a low voice and she responded at full volume from the hall.

“Okay fine I’m going to do my best but they’re really cute both of them together and on their own and I can’t help it if I can see how much they like being around each other but I’m going to try not to—” Her voice cut off as the stair door closed.

Ani took a deep breath and looked around the clinic once more still happy and excited, forgetting about the chilling flashback, and left to meet Shouto.

 

They were in the car, riding home, when Aino called.

“Hey bro,” she answered with a tight voice.

Uhh, hey little sis. What’s...what’s going on?

“I don’t know, Aino. You tell me.”

I literally have no idea. You said something about your apartment in your voicemail? And wasting a whole bunch of cash?

“Yeah. That’s exactly what you’re doing because I’m not going to move back. I live with Shouto now.” She was focused on her conversation and missed Shouto’s elated smirk.

Yeah. I know that. I haven’t put any money into your apartment. I don’t have any idea what you're talking about."

“You mean...you didn’t offer to pay for the repairs?”

Hell no! Why would I do that?! I know how in-love you are with your boyfriend!” Aino paused a beat as Ani’s mind began to spin in circles. “Ani...Ani you don’t think this could be one of those people who attacked you somehow, could it? Like they’re trying to get you back there so you’re easier to get to?” Ani had told her brother everything about the attack, including what she learned afterwards from Shouto.

A cold dew formed across Ani’s skin. Shouto glanced at her pallor. “Ani? Is everything alright?”

“Ai-Aino thinks it could be those people who attacked me...trying to get me back into the apartment,” said Ani in a meek voice.

He took her hand. “I highly doubt that, Ani. It would be far too easy to trace a paper trail back to them.”

Ani? Is that Shouto? What’s he saying?

“He’s saying he doesn’t think it's them...it would be too easy to trace it back to them...”

Hmm, that makes sense.” Aino audibly tapped his pen. "Tell Shouto to look into it to be sure. Just in case.

“Okay, I will.” Ani’s voice sounded small with the possibility it could be them. Until they knew who it was she wouldn’t be able to relax.

Ani, are you going to be alright?” Aino asked with evident worry.

“Yeah...I’ll be fine. Shouto and I are headed home now.”

Okay...well. I’m here if you need anything.

“Thanks Aino. Sorry for yelling at you.”

He chuckled. "It’s alright, I forgive you. Let’s get lunch together sometime soon. I’d love to come see the new clinic when it’s done, too.

“That would be great,” Ani said, her heart relaxing a little bit.

Have a good night Ani.

“Thanks, you too Aino.”

She hung up and relayed Aino’s message to Shouto. He said “it’s worth confirming, for sure.” He lifted their entwined fingers to stroke her cheek with the back of his hand. “Are you okay?”

Ani nodded, eyes falling to her lap. “I am. I’m just...”

“What is it?” He wished they were home already so he could hold her.

“I had a panic attack today.”

“About what?”

Ani shivered. “I was talking with Aves, M-I and Flora were there too, and Aves said something that sounded like what that blonde girl who attacked me said. It’s like my mind went into panic mode.”

Shouto was quiet for several long moments. “What happened?”

“Flora helped me come out of it.” Ani smiled. “I like her.”

“I’m glad she was able to help you.” Shouto was keeping a close eye on Ani from the corner of his eye as he drove.

“Me too,” Ani said softly.

After a few minutes of quiet Shouto said “Ani...I want you to learn how to fight in case the worst should ever happen again.”

Ooof...She did not like the idea. She did not want to fight anyone. Anywhere. Ever.

“How do you feel about that?” He asked.

“I don’t like fighting.” She grimaced, looking away from him. “It’s why I didn’t become a hero and went into nursing.”

“Consider as self-defense then. It’s only to protect yourself, not to go out looking for criminals to fight.”

Ani rolled the idea around, remembering how she had felt that day in her apartment. She felt helpless to do just that: defend herself. She remembered thinking about how she never had any experience or training with a situation like that and sighed heavily. “Okay...you’re probably right. It is a good idea.”

His heart relaxed a little as they pulled into his building. His mind was already mapping out a training program with location and techniques, maybe a few other people to help them so she learned how to defend against different styles of fighting.

“Thank you,” he said, smiling at her as he parked.

Her brow furrowed. “For what?”

“For helping me keep you safe.” He tucked a blonde lock behind her ear. “It will give me a little piece of mind for you to know the basics at the very least.”

She returned his smile with a warm heart. “Thank you for caring.” She pouted playfully at him. "I'm not thrilled with the idea...but I'm willing to learn. Just in case."

Chapter 38: Sup

Chapter Text

Shouto was showering after dinner as Ani worked on her upcoming physicals, fine-tuning the details she wanted to include. She was sitting comfortably on the couch, scrolling through the forms on her laptop when her phone beeped.

 

Sup Goldilocks.

 

It was Bakugo. Ani’s face pinched in confusion at the random text. Not much. You?

 

Not much...boring night rounds tonight

 

Ani gave the new text a sideways glance and finished typing out her thought. He sent another message before she could respond.

 

Am I interrupting something?

 

No, I’m just working on some things for the clinic

 

Doesn’t your boss give you the night off?

 

Ani smirked. He does. There’s just so much I want to do for it, can’t stop thinking about it

 

I know what that’s like.

 

Everything ok? She started working again, typing well into the next part before he responded.

 

Yeh.

 

The curt response could have been completely in-character for Bakugo but something about it seemed out of place. Ani’s brow furrowed. You sure? What’s up?

 

He didn’t respond. At first Ani thought maybe he was busy with night rounds but she felt it again, that out-of-place feeling. She didn’t know how to make sure he was really okay.

 

Sorry, lol. Didn’t mean to pry...I know we’re not really friends and you’re probably just bored at work. Thank you for saying hi!

 

She went back to working and heard the shower turn off. A few moments later Shouto came out wrapped in a towel with damp hair. Ani glanced up and did a double-take at the definition in his chest and abs.

All thoughts of text messages and health physicals faded as his gaze fell on her. She felt her cheeks tint with heat.

“What are you up to?” He asked, crossing the room.

She gulped, feeling a particular need grow. “I-I was trying to get some work done before tomorrow.”

He raised an eyebrow. “What’s tomorrow?”

“I was going to go into the office when you have your rounds tomorrow and get a head start on some things for Monday.” She tried to keep her eyes on his but they sank down over his exposed skin and she could smell the intoxicating scent of his body wash. Heat flushed her features, betraying her body’s response to his half-naked state.

“You know...” he leaned over her, bracing an arm on the back of the couch. “It’s important to take some time off of work, Miss Shida...The Todoroki Agency promotes a healthy work-life balance and encourages its employees to relax...”

“Oh,” she said, chest beginning to heavily rise and fall with his proximity. It felt like his deep, sultry voice was already undressing her. He loomed over her, red and white hair falling around his eyes as he stared down. A light smirk lifted a corner of his mouth.

“Would you like to...relax...with me?”

She nodded, completely mesmerized and accepted his hand when he offered it and followed him to the bedroom. The door closed and Ani didn’t hear her phone beep one last time.

 

Ani was in the shower the next morning as Shouto was cooking their breakfast. They planned on going into the office together though Shouto would be out for most of the day, making rounds through various parts of the city.

He plated their warm food and noticed Ani’s computer and cellphone waiting on the couch. He brought them into their bedroom and plugged them in to charge before they left. She came out of the bathroom, drying her hair as it dripped on her nearly nude skin covered only by a bra and panties.

“Oh, sorry,” she grinned as she caught him checking her out. “Can I help you with something?”

He cleared his throat as he felt his pants tighten. He wanted to. He really, really wanted to force her back up against the wall and fuck her well into the late morning but it would have to wait. They didn’t have much time before they needed to leave.

“No, maybe later though,” he said with a cheeky smirk and forced his eyes back to her face as she pulled clothes out for the day. “Breakfast is ready when you are. I noticed your phone and computer were on the couch so I plugged them back in to charge.”

“Oo, shoot. Thank you!” She said gratefully as she pulled a shirt down over her head.

As he left the room he added “I think you have a message, too.”

“Thanks!” She said and hustled over to it once she was dressed. As she read through it her brow expression became a muddled mix of confusion and discomfort, a little bit of remorse, too.

“Everything okay?” Shouto asked, poking his head back into the room when he didn’t hear anything from the room. He saw her expression and immediately came to her side. “Ani, what’s wrong?” He asked and lightly touched her cheek.

She turned up to him, eyes churning with the same unsettled emotion. “Is...Has? I...I don’t know what to say.” She handed him the phone displaying the text message.

 

Can you stop it with that ‘we’re not friends’ crap?! I never said that! Look, I’m sorry I’ve been such a dick. It really pisses me off you think I hate you so let me set it straight. I don’t. Okay? I don’t hate you. And I can’t tell you how I really feel because...fuck it. I just can’t. Okay? I’m bad at this whole ‘being a friend’ thing. If you were at your apartment it would be easier. I could just stop by and see if you’re doing okay. Are you going to move back anytime soon?

 

A second message had come not long after the first.

If I’m bothering you, just ignore me.

Shouto’s heart was pounded, throbbing in his head as he read and re-read the text. He was afraid to look at Ani, fearful she would have read it the same way he had. When he finally brought himself to look at her he nearly laughed. Her face was scrunched and she was rubbing her forehead.

“Is it really impossible for him to tell someone they're his friend?” She turned her screwed-up expression to him. “Is he really that much of a nincompoop?”

A laugh burst from Shouto’s chest and he had to clutch his stomach as his shoulders shook from the laugh that was a mixture of both humor and relief. It wasn’t long before Ani was laughing along with him. Shouto wrapped his arms around her and brought her against his chest with a radiating happiness.

“Yeah, he is.”

Ani rolled her eyes though her boyfriend couldn’t see it. “I can’t believe he’s made it to number three being so emotionally warped.”

“Well,” Shouto said as his laughter subdued. “Being empathetic and emotionally reachable is definitely a helpful quality, especially when you look at Midoriya. But a lot of people would say that I’m just like Bakugo in that regard...”

Ani pushed back only far enough to see his face. “No...” Her eyes warmed him. “You are those things. As much as Midoriya.”

He closed his eyes and pressed his forehead to hers thinking he was like that now. He sighed and hugged her tightly. “Come on, our breakfast is getting cold.”

“Mmm, what’d you make?!”

 

As they rode into the agency office Ani finally wrote back to Bakugo.

 

Hey, sorry I didn’t respond!! You weren’t bothering me, I ended up going to bed and didn’t see your message until this morning. Thank you for wanting to check on me. Even though you won’t say it, now I know that I’m your friend and you don’t hate me😊 I’m not going to move back into my apartment but it’s fine to text me! You’re not as bad at being a friend as you think you are

~

Oh for fuck’s SAKE. Did that really just happen?!

Bakugo stood glaring at the phone in one hand, protein shake in the other, as he read through Ani’s text message. He read it again. And again.

There was only one way she interpreted his message. She thought he considered her a fucking FRIEND. God damn it the rage inside him was burning and every time he reread the words his grip tightened on the bottle in his hand until that rage gripped that bottle so hard it popped.

Gritty, sand-colored liquid showered the lounge of his agency, dripping down the cabinets, the fridge, the walls. His spiky hair and uniform hadn’t escaped the blast either but he didn’t notice as his fury simmered at her words.

He...He just got friend-zoned. He just got FUCKING FRIEND-ZONED.

Oh hell no. He wasn’t having this. Any of it.

He dropped the exploded plastic into the garbage on his way out of the destroyed break-room. He barked orders at his assistant to have the mess cleaned up. He stormed into his office and slammed the door with such force it threatened to crack. Good thing his office wasn’t built from shit.

He ripped the black tank-top off and threw it in his garbage. He rested his fists on the desk, bracing himself as he took raging breaths. A few drops of shake dripped onto his desk. He punched a fist down, setting off a small explosion that scorched the wood.

Moments later Kirishima burst into the room and threw the door closed.

“Dude what happened? What’s wrong?” Shitty hair asked.

Bakugo stifled a snarl. Of course his assistant was going to call for help. Every non-hero employee in this agency was such a damn pussy when he got upset. In the haze of his anger he handed the unlocked phone to his friend who read the last message he received. He scrolled up only a few higher to put it into context. Then he saw the name.

“Man, you made it sound like you only think of her as a friend. Why didn’t you just tell her?” Kirishima asked, coming around the desk.

Bakugo’s eyes remained unfocused as he answered. “What the fuck was I supposed to say?”

“You tell her how you feel!” The red-head said waving his arms around. “You tell her you love her!”

His eyes slowly refocused, nostrils flaring as he realized what is friend knew, and he turned his blood-red eyes to one of the only other people whose opinions mattered. "How long.”

“Huh?” Kiri asked, an eyebrow raised in confusion.

“How long have you known?”

Kirishima rubbed the back of his neck. “I...I wondered after we saw them outside of the bar that one night. And then I figured it out at the party.”

“Of course you fucking knew.” Bakugo shook his head, unable to face his friend any longer.

“So...are you going to tell her? Set the record straight?”

“Not over a fucking text message!” The ashy-blonde barked.

Kirishima laughed awkwardly. “Yeah, I guess that’s not something you do over a text.”

“No, it’s not,” Bakugo grumbled as he took his phone back and shoved it into his pocket. “I’m going on a run.”

“Okay, but dude you have to be back before—” his reminder was cut short as Bakugo slammed the door closed, leaving his own office before Kirishima. The red head sighed and smiled to himself. “I hope you find a way to tell her.”

Chapter 39: Thanks For The Reminder

Chapter Text

Ani stretched in Shouto’s plush leather chair. Since the clinic had no furniture yet he offered his own desk to her; he didn’t need it while he was out on rounds. She hesitantly accepted, worried about messing something up in his private space, but found it easy to work in. It was incredibly comfortable, exuding his presence.

She wondered how much longer he would be as the sun began to set, sky darkening, and she began to worry about him. She focused on her work and encouraged herself to leave him be. He would get back when he was done and he would be fine. This is what it meant to be the significant other of a pro-hero. He quietly entered as she was yawning and she didn’t see him until she opened her eyes again; they flew open in excitement.

“You’re back!” She hopped up from the chair and he met her half-way across the spacious room for a kiss. His usual warm smell was masked by the smell of concrete dust and—

“Were you hurt?” Blood. She began looking him over for it and saw the blood stain on the front of his pants. She gasped. “What happened?!”

She tried to drag him to the couch so she could look him over but he stood firm. “Ani, it’s fine! This isn’t my blood.”

She sighed with relief before her eyes flicked back to him with worry. “Whose is it?!”

“It was an unfortunate civilian who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.” He wanted to hold her but settled for squeezing her hand so he didn’t dirty her. “They’re okay. They're at the hospital now."

She relaxed again. “Thank goodness.” She gave him a smile and released his hands as he turned to go to his bathroom. While he showered and changed she finished saving her work and was ready to leave by the time he came out dressed again.

There was something about her expression. The pensive look in her eye or subdued reactions like something was on her mind...before they left his office he cupped her cheek.

“Ani...is everything alright?”

She drew in a deep breath and her eyes stayed unfocused as her mind churned. “My landlord called again...”

“About what?”

“Someone...I don’t know who...” she looked up at him. “Pre-paid a full year of rent for my apartment. Insisting it remains in my name.”

Shouto’s brow slowly raised. He tried to keep his exterior calm despite his seething internal thoughts. “Wow...did they say it was the same person who wants to pay for the remodeling?"

“They wouldn’t tell me.” She grimaced, adjusting the bag on her shoulder. “But I guess they weren’t totally clear about it yesterday: the apartment’s already been remodeled.” She wrapped an arm around herself, feeling vulnerable. Shouto’s arm wrapped around her waist and he pulled her against his side as they left his office.

“Let’s get you home,” he said leading her to the elevator as he sensed her worries. “I’m going to go talk to your landlord.”

“What?” Her eyes flew up to his face. “Why?”

“I’m going to find out who’s behind this. Since they wouldn’t answer my calls today.”

 

 

Bakugo scuffed his feet along the sidewalk of the dark, quiet street. His agency had been working overtime in the Fog District trying to flush out the damn scum who attacked Ani but they were nowhere to be found here. As a result of their constant vigilance over the past week overall crime in the neighborhood had dropped so significantly it was covered by the Saturday morning news.

He was credited with a large amount of the change and the annoying news anchor’s voice bounced around in his head. Everyone was speculating he was doing it in a bid to move past Todoroki for the second spot after such a dramatic act of violence in his turf. He wondered if Ani had seen the news and if that contributed to the way she interpreted his message. But she was wrong. They were all wrong.

He did all of it for one reason. And one reason only.

Gloomily he rounded the now all-to-familiar corner with his hands in his pockets and turned his sour, reluctant glare up to the darkened balcony. His heart froze.

The light was on.

His thoughts began to spiral out of control as a vivid hope took root in his chest and he began to run. He sprinted down the street, eyes glued to the warm glow of possibility, and he launched himself mid-stride up to the second story perch feeling lighter than he had in weeks.

When he landed, he turned to the newly replaced glass and screen doors that were open letting in the cool night breeze. His frozen heart turned to stone.

Waiting in Ani’s apartment was the only other person he hated as much as Midoriya. Todoroki leaned against the counter with his arms crossed as he stared out the door at Bakugo.

Bakugo’s lip curled in a sneer and he let himself inside. Clearly the dual-haired hero had been waiting for something.

“What are you doing here?” Bakugo spat.

“I could ask you the same question.” Todoroki’s eyes glowed as they scoured the new entrant.

“Tch, stalking your girlfriend now? Waiting for her to come home."

Todoroki’s face remained annoyingly passive. “She’s already home.”

Bakugo’s eyes flitted around in a desperate moment of hope before he realized what Todoroki meant. “For now. Until she realizes she can have her old life back, the one before you ruined it.”

Todoroki’s eyes narrowed. “I’m not the one who ruined it, Bakugo.”

“Who else could have ruined it, asshole?!” Bakugo yelled, fists clenched as his face flushed with anger.

“If you’re really asking me that question, Bakugo, you have even less reason to be interfering in her life.”

“What the fuck are you talking about you dumb bastard?!” Little explosions popped from inside Bakugo’s tight fists. The overly calm and collected moron was really starting to piss him off.

“What part would you like me to explain Bakugo?” Todoroki stood up straight, arms falling to his sides. “That I know it’s you who has been funneling money into this apartment to get Ani back here? Or how all of this happened to her because of you?”

Bakguo’s teeth gnashed together as he snarled back “how could any of this be my fault?”

Todoroki wondered how it was possible that this hot-head could be in the number three spot with his lack of self-awareness. “This happened, all of this, because you were saved from the brink of death by Ani’s blood. Then, you showed the world how perfectly fine you were after your time in the hospital and what did you think the League of Villains was going to do? Let that go? No. They wanted whatever power you had found. So, they went looking and found it here.”

“How is it my fault that air-head chose to save me?!” Bakugo snapped.

Todoroki’s face became deadpan. “You still don’t get it. That’s not the problem, Bakugo. The problem was not telling anyone that your blood was stolen by Toga.”

Bakugo’s posture tensed but he didn’t respond.

“Do you know how the L-o-V was able to get in here so easily that day?” Todoroki gestured to the door. “Because after the first person lied their way in here, you appeared at Ani’s door.”

It was clear Bakguo had not heard this part.

“Ani let someone in, thinking it was you, when it was very much in fact Toga appearing as you, never knowing that would ever be a risk.” Todoroki exhaled with a touch of anger through his nostrils. “If your arrogant self had been upfront with information like that the police would have known. The hero community would have known. Ani would have—”

“You would have loved that, wouldn’t you?” Bakugo cut in, voice dripping with derision. “Yeah, your main competition admitting to such a fucking mistake would have only made you look better than you think you are you idiot. Of course you would have wanted that, take me down a peg in Ani’s eyes.”

Todoroki felt sorry for the deluded ash-blonde. “Do you remember the first thing you ever said to Ani?”

Bakugo pressed his lips together, mood souring as he remembered the poor way he treated her that first morning in his hospital room. “I don’t see how that’s any of your business.”

“Lazy leech,” Todoroki answered his own question.

Bakugo looked at the peppermint haired hero with genuine confusion. “Huh?”

“You called her a lazy leech when you first saw her sleeping in the ER.” Todoroki crossed his arms, eyes shifting to the new couch that was too stiff, to formal to have been in Ani’s taste. “The morning after she saved my life, days before you were injured. She woke up and saw you leaving...And you called her a lazy leech.”

Color drained from Bakugo’s face as the memory came back with a vague, haunting truth. “H-how was I supposed to know what happened?!”

Todoroki shrugged. “I don’t know. What I do know is, in that moment you were the first one between us to meet her. I didn’t get to meet her until a few days later, after I woke up.”

“Yeah, and what’d you do then rich boy? Brainwash her into loving you and hating me.”

Todoroki smirked and rested a hand on the kitchen counter. “I thanked her.” His eyes drifted over the small kitchen with happiness that he had been so bold that night. “I barely did anything to show her how much I appreciated what she did for me...” He smiled, eyes focused on their first meal together.

Bakugo’s heart grew colder with every word Todoroki said. “Yeah. So what? Doesn’t mean she wasn’t rushed into loving you! Once she knows she has another option she’s going to wise up, you icy-hot asshole!”

“Go ahead,” Todoroki said with serene confidence as he turned back to the explosive hero. “Tell her everything. Tell her you’re the one paying for this apartment for her and tell her why.”

The red eyes narrowed. “Yeah? And you’re just going to accept being the loser when she walks away?”

An image of Ani, bright and shining as she walked across his office, surfaced in his mind. “I’m not going to back down from a test of us,” he said with a gentle expression as he looked down into his hand. He looked back to the explosive blonde. “I encourage you to be honest and direct with her. But let me be clear with you, Bakugo. I will not tolerate any attempts to coerce her or her feelings. I will not allow you to ever make her feel unsafe in your attempts to express your feelings.”

An idea was already forming in Bakugo’s mind. “We’ll see how honorable you are after next weekend, you fucking idiot.” Bakugo abruptly left the same way he arrived.

Todoroki leaned back against the counter again, watching the wind drift through the curtains that also seemed too stuffy for Ani’s taste. He looked around the apartment once more, stomach churning at all the ‘upgrades’ that had been made but were really a steamroll over who Ani was. The biggest point of irritation for him was the large new mural that hung in place behind an extravagant tv.

He knew she wouldn’t like the jagged blasts of smoke and orange that had replaced the jade of her idol.

 

~

 

Dabi grinned as he looked around the dark, dank cell. “Yeah, this will be perfect.”

“Nehhh,” Toga sighed from the doorway. “This is so awful. You’re not even going to be able to see her!”

Dabi ignited a handful of blue flame that flickered a chilling light across the walls. He grinned over his shoulder at the unstable blonde. “I’ll be able to.”

Toga stuck her tongue out and Twice appeared over her shoulder. “What about the rest of us, though? You going to stick around and play lantern when we need her?”

“Like you’re going to get your hands on her that much,” Dabi said in a lazy sneer.

A circle of purple haze swirled in the air inside the dark cell. Shigaraki and Kurogiri appeared in the damp chamber. Toga skipped forward with a whiny pout.

“’Raki-san Dabi’s not going to share Ani-san!” She said with exaggerated waves of her hand.

Shigaraki rolled his eyes. “You’re like squabbling siblings. She’s for all of us,” the man said softly from under his sky-colored hair.

Kurogiri set down two bags that clinked on the ground. “We need to finish preparing things.”

 

~

 

Ani had fallen asleep on the couch while she waited for Shouto to get back. Her phone dinged, rousing her from the light sleep. She expected it to be her boyfriend but instead it was Bakugo.

 

You going to the UA Gala with the half-and-half next week?

 

Her brow furrowed together as her phone lit up with a call from Shouto.

“Hey Sho,” she answered.

Hey Ani, I just wanted to let you know that I’m on my way home.

“Oh, okay. Thanks!” She hesitated. “Are you going to...the UA Gala?”

The UA Gala?” Shouto paused and if she was with him she would have seen his eyes pop open as he remembered. “Oh no...I completely forgot about that with everything that’s happened recently.

She couldn’t blame him for that. “I understand...what is it?”

It’s a formal event UA hosts once a year...It’s really an over-the-top fundraiser and networking party for the school with prominent leaders and other important people across the country. All the alumni are invited every year and I usually attend though I don’t particularly enjoy the dancing. Or the politics. Or the small-talk.” She could practically hear the scowl in his voice that turned apologetic. “They send out invitations far in advance so I RSVPed ‘attending’ before we ever met...with everything that’s been happening I just...lost track of the time.

“That’s okay.” She smiled and fiddled with the hem of the blanket across her lap.

Ani, I’m sorry I didn’t mention it to you sooner.

She reassuringly offered “I’m not hurt...or upset.”

Thank you for understanding.” The relief was tangible in his voice. “I feel obligated to still attend since I already sent in my response that I would be there...Would...” Ani waited in anticipation of his next words. “Would you come with me? Attend the event as my date?

Ani grinned and pulled the phone away to silently scream in excitement. He wanted her to go with him! It would be their first formal event out as a couple in the eyes of the public!

Ani?” He asked nervously. “Are you still there?

She cleared her throat. “Y-yes! I’m still here.” She couldn’t hide the smile in her voice. “I would love to go with you!!” She tapped her chin. “But I don’t know if I have any dresses formal enough for an event like this. Even back at my apartment, what I left behind would not be right.”

We can go shopping tomorrow,” he offered. “If you want me to come with you for that, of course.

“That would be amazing,” she said. “I have no idea what would be good to wear. Or where to find it. But you have to let me buy my own dress!"

I can’t agree to that,” said Shouto in simple defense.

Ani huffed. “Shouto, I don’t want you—”

Ani, I know you don’t want me to spend money on you but I’m springing this on you last minute. If you had months to properly search for the dress you felt most comfortable in I wouldn’t be as insistent.

“Fine,” Ani grumbled. “But nothing too extravagant!”

That’s settled, then. Tomorrow we’ll go together.” He added “I’m surprised you thought of the Gala. I didn’t think you were interested in events like that.

“I don’t follow them at all.” She chuckled once. “I only know about it because Bakugo just asked me if I was going with you.”

Shouto was quiet for a long moment. “Well, now you can tell him you are. And thank him for the reminder.

“Thank you, Shouto.” She closed her eyes and smiled. “I’m honored you want me to go with you.”

The honor is all mine, Ani. You’ll be the first person I’ve ever gone with.” Ani’s mouth dropped open. Before she could respond he said “I’ll be home in a little while...Are you sure there’s nothing you’d like me to bring back?

“Just yourself,” she said. “Drive safely Sho. I love you.”

I love you, too.

After the call ended Ani sent off her excited answer to Bakugo:

 

Yes! We’re going together!! He said to thank you for the reminder. With everything going on lately he forgot he said he would go.

 

 

Bakugo stared at his phone, clutching it so hard it was on the verge of disintegrating. His eyes scoured the words she just sent seeing the jibe she unknowingly sent. His mouth scrunched up in anger and he tried thinking of something calm to say but before he could, another message came in.

 

Nice try.

 

Bakugo’s chest was heaving now and he saw red. Without thinking he sent his response to Ani.

 

I’ll see you there. Save a dance for me.

 

He whipped his foot around, slamming his heel into the solid wood dummy as he set off an explosion from the bottom of his foot that shattered the wood into splinters across the gym floor. He was getting better at his new moves. Two-tone dimwit and goldilocks were giving him great motivation.

Chapter 40: Family Time - Part 1

Chapter Text

Shouto woke up before Ani and stayed in bed. At some point in the night she had cuddled up to his left side, wrapping herself against his radiating warmth; he didn’t want to disturb her sleep. He didn’t mind how her head rested on his shoulder, either. When she began to stir and stretch he took one last deep inhale of her scent.

She nuzzled into his neck, sensing he was already awake.

“Good morning,” he said, brushing a few messy hairs from her face.

She grunted in response and he smirked, content to stay like this for as long as she wanted.

“Aren’t you going to shoo me out of bed to go find a dress for the gala?” She mumbled against his warm skin.

“No,” he said, wrapping his arm around her. “Dresses will still be there later.”

“Okay, wake me up again in an hour...” her voice drifted off as she fell asleep in the sunlight again. Shouto smiled. He knew she was still adjusting to working during the day and sleeping at night. She spent years working the night shift and her body needed some extra sleep at times.

“Take however much time you need,” he whispered at kissed the top of her head. Without trying he found himself slipping back into a peaceful sleep, head resting on hers.

Shouto’s phone rang loudly, cutting through the soft morning silence. Ani groaned and shifted so he could reach his phone and he pulled her back against him as he looked at the screen. She felt his body tense and glanced at his face.

“Who is it?” she asked.

He growled “my father.” Begrudgingly he answered. “Hello.”

Shouto. I called to inform you family dinner will be at 6:45pm this evening. I expect you and your...significant other to be in attendance.

“And why would we do that?” Shouto said through gritted teeth. “Why would I bring my girlfriend to your house for a dinner when you’re going to flaunt your blatant preference for a different choice in my personal life?”

That’s quite an assumption to make Shouto.

“Do you really expect me to willingly attend this façade of an engagement?”

The Yaoyorozu family will not be in attendance tonight.” Endeavor’s words were shocking and belittling at the same time, as if Shouto should have known in some way. “Thus, my request for your girlfriend to attend. Your sister and her family will be here as well as Natsuo.

Shouto’s features displayed his skeptical surprise. “What’s the occasion?”

It’s a family dinner. There doesn’t have to be an occasion,” Endeavor informed him.

Shouto pulled the phone away from his ear and directed his attention to Ani who was tracing the lines of his chest. “My father is inviting us to a family dinner at his house tonight.”

From the phone they both heard Endeavor sputtering “What! Shouto, This isn’t a request!

Shouto rolled his eyes and looked at his girlfriend. “Do you want to go? My sister and her family and one of our other brothers, Natsuo will be there.” He watched her expression. “He’s not...he’s a lot like Fuyumi,” he implied, trying to assure her he was nothing like his estranged sibling.

“Oh wow.” Ani considered the offer. “It would be really fun to see Fuyumi again.”

“So...you want to go?” He asked incredulously.

She nodded. “Yes. I want to meet more of your family.”

“Okay,” he said with a dubious expression. Into the phone he answered “we’ll be there.”

6:45. Don’t be late.” His father hung up abruptly.

“Arrogant ass,” Shouto said at the blank screen on his phone. He dropped his phone to the bed. “I can’t believe you willingly want to spend more time around that insufferable man.”

“It’s more about getting to see Fuyumi again. And meeting Natsuo.” She propped herself up on his chest. “I’m pretty indifferent about your father being there.”

He smirked. “That’s better than how I feel.” He put his hands behind his head revealing one white, one red patch of hair under each arm. He saw a thought cross Ani’s mind.

“What about your mom?” She asked.

He tilted his head. “My mom?”

“I feel badly she won’t be there. Can we bring her lunch today?”

“Of course,” he said as his chest swelled with love and appreciation for her. “She would love that.”

 

 

Ani was happy they were able to visit Rei again. She was beginning to enjoy Rei’s company; it was clear this was from where Shouto’s serene nature came. As they rode in the car on their way to the Todoroki family home Ani savored Rei’s parting words given to her while Shouto was in the bathroom.

 

I’m grateful for your presence in my son’s life.

 

Ani couldn’t help but smile as the city streets of Musutafu rolled past.

 

In the past...he’s had trouble finding someone who could see past the image of him as the pro-hero. Seeing him now with someone who accepts him for who he is...who isn’t driven by the greed of a social status, who doesn’t want to be with him to use him...It’s everything I could have wanted for him. Thank you, Ani. For saving my son’s life...and everything you’ve done for him since.

 

“What’s on your mind?” Shouto asked basking in the warmth of Ani’s happiness.

She turned to him with a shine in her eyes. “I really enjoyed seeing your mom today.”

“I’m glad,” he said and brushed his knuckles along her cheek. “She enjoyed it, too.” When Ani had stepped out of the room to answer a call from her brother Rei turned a mother’s gaze upon him.

 

“How are you my son, truly?” She asked, giving him a private moment to answer.

“I’m doing well,” he said with a small smile. “For the first time in a long time I feel...loved.” He realized what he said and glanced up at her with a tightness in his eyes. “Mother, I’m sorry, I—”

“Please,” she placed her hand on his “don’t apologize. I understand what you mean and I take no offense.”

He nodded solemnly, reluctant to talk about it anymore but she squeezed his hand, urging him on. “She is as selfless and hardworking as the day I met her and still has no interest in reaping the rewards of being with a pro-hero. Or the descendant of a wealthy family.”

“That’s a good thing, though? Isn’t it?”

He sighed. “Mostly. It’s frustrating, though, at times when I want to show my love for her and she refuses it.” He crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair. “It was a struggle to buy her dress for the gala next weekend and she nearly flat-out refused it when she saw how much the dress she wanted cost.”

Rei watched the frustration in her son’s features and held back a smile. “Do you remember when I said that love will change you?” He nodded. “This is one of those moments. I know you, my son, and can tell you want to shower her with all the luxuries of your world but seek to understand why she is reluctant. Listen. Learn the ways in which she does feel your love and use those routes to express it.

“You’re already loving...compassionate...and considerate...But this. It’s a chance to grow,” she smiled “and evolve into a better version of who you are.”

He pressed her words into his heart as the door slid open again and Ani appeared, ending her call with Aino.

 

They pulled into his family’s estate and saw other vehicles parked in front of the house. Shouto glanced at the clock and saw they were a few minutes late; he smirked to himself, happy he was late without trying.

Chapter 41: Family Time - Part 2

Chapter Text

“UNCLE SHOUTOOOO!” Someone screamed as they entered. Ani’s eyes popped up just in time to see a young boy with light gray hair sprinting down the hall. Shouto dropped Ani’s free hand as he coated the floor in ice. Without missing a beat the boy shifted his weight and used his momentum to slide down the slick surface.

“Who’s that?” He asked still in motion.

“Kiro, this is my girlfriend, Shida Ani.” They high-fived and Shouto smirked as the boy pushed off his uncle to sail back down the hallway. “Ani, that was my youngest nephew Kiro.”

Ani smiled and took his hand again as they walked in. Shouto melted the ice along the floor as they went.

Another boy, older than the first poked his head out of a room, a lollipop sticking out of his mouth. “Grandeavor is soooo upset you’re lateee!”

Shouto gave the boy a flat expression. “Wei, this is my girlfriend Shida Ani. Ani, this is my second-oldest nephew, Wei.”

“Nice to meet you,” she said with a wave to the boy who looked her up and down. He dipped back into the room he’d come from where a tv was playing.

“Where’s Tashkei?” Shouto asked, looking around the room. Wei threw a pillow at the seemingly empty couch and it flumped off of an invisible solid.

“I told you to leave me alone you little sh—!” The teenage boy’s eyes grew wide when he saw his uncle standing in the hall staring in at him.

“Whoa,” Ani whispered. The boy sat up and pulled out his headphones.

“Hey Uncle Shouto,” he said, sitting up and glancing at Ani. “Is that your girlfriend?”

Shouto nodded. “It is. Ani, this is my oldest nephew, Tashkei.”

“Nice to meet you, Tashkei,” she gave a bow of her head and prepared to ask him how he did that but a deafening gong rang through the house.

“Sounds like Gramps knows you’re here,” Tashkei grumbled and stuffed his phone and headphones into his pocket. Shouto took Ani’s hand and led her down the hall as the two younger boys followed. Ani glanced behind and saw Tashkei sulking along with his hands in his pockets as Wei stared at her unabashedly. She heard voices ahead and looked up as they came into an elaborate, traditional dining spread on the low-legged table lined with stiff-backed floor seats.

“Shouto.” Endeavor greeted them unenthusiastically. “Miss Shida. Take a seat.”

“Thank you for having us,” Ani said and he gestured for Ani to take the seat closest to the door. Shouto narrowed his eyes at his father’s subtle jibe but Ani was already sliding into the seat. He didn’t know if she understood what had happened but she looked up at him with a gentle expression.

“It’s okay,” she whispered. She understood his father had assigned her the least important seat. And Endeavor didn’t understand that she didn’t care. Being offered a place at the table was an honor in-and-of itself, least honorable seat or not she was glad to be there.

Shouto clearly disapproved but pulled back the seat next to her.

“Uncle Sho, please don’t make me sit by gramps again,” Kiro urged in the din of everyone else taking their seats.

“This house will probably catch on fire if I sit next to him,” Shouto grimaced.

Ani stifled a giggle. “You’ll be fine,” she assured him.

He frowned in disagreement but let his youngest nephew take the safer seat as Fuyumi’s husband sat across from Ani. Wei sat between his father and mother, Natsuo seated next to Fuyumi at Endeavor’s left hand. Ani, Kiro, Tashkei, and Shouto lined the opposite side and Endeavor gave his son a nauseatingly smug grin as his ultimate creation sat at his right hand. Shouto ignored the expression as he saw Ani already settling into conversation with his nephew and brother-in-law.

Before Endeavor could speak, Shouto caught Ani’s attention. “Ani, this is my brother Natsuo,” he gestured to the politely-smiling sibling across from him. “Natsuo this is my girlfriend, Shida Ani.”

The spikey white-haired man bowed his head from the other end of the table and Endeavor clapped his hands with an obscene volume.

“Thank you for the food," he said practically ordering dinner to begin.

Shouto ate silently, trying to catch pieces of the conversation from the other end of the table. Ani was asking his brother-in-law about himself, learning he was a detective on the Musutafu police force. Across from Shouto, Natsuo was unsuccessfully talking with their father and then gave up, turning his attention to his almost-as-stoic youngest brother. Shouto finally realized his elder sibling was trying to talk to him.

Shouto’s interest in holding a conversation was as non-existent as his teenage nephew next to him and his completely emotionless father. Natsuo soon gave up and chatted happily with Fuyumi who was glad to catch up. Light chatter filled the room, conversations between the group beginning to grow as Ani laughed at a story Kiro was telling her. Shouto smiled, appreciating hearing her under the sound of Fuyumi and Natsuo's conversation.

“Tashkei has some exciting news,” Fuyumi said pointedly to her brothers and father.

“Yeah?” Natsuo turned to his nephew with a warm smile. “What’s happening Tash-kun?”

The teenager pushed some of his food around as he kept his eyes down. “I applied to UA.”

“That’s awesome!” Natsuo grinned.

Shouto turned an eyebrow up at his nephew. “Really?” The boy nodded. “What class?”

“Hero class,” Tashkei answered tentatively. His eyes flicked to his dual-haired uncle, hesitant to see his reaction.

“He didn’t just apply,” Fuyumi urged him on with her eyes.

The teenager huffed and sat up. “I took the exams.”

“And...” his mother pressed further.

“I got in...” Tashkei admitted. His eyes shifted between uncles, one who smiled blindingly white and the other whose eyes glowed down approvingly.

“Congratulations!!” Natsuo exclaimed, causing the other end of the table to tune in.

“What happened?” Ani asked with a shining expression.

Tashkei turned to her without prompting. “I got into UA. Hero course.”

“Wow.” Ani’s mouth parted in awe. “That’s incredible!!” She could already see powerful applications of Tashkei’s quirk.

“Through the examinations.” Endeavor scoffed at Ani’s enthusiasm and brought a cup of tea to his mouth, before taking a drink he said “Not a recommendation.”

Ani’s eyes narrowed and Shouto could see her preparing a piercing rebuttal in defense of his nephew but he didn’t want her in any crossfires.

“The number one hero made it into UA through the exams,” Shouto offered to his nephew.

Tashkei looked up in awe at his uncle for the brazen comment about the current top performing hero. Endeavor gagged on his tea for a moment and Ani’s lips pressed together as she caught Shouto’s eye. It’s exactly what she had planned to say and it was a challenge not to grin.

“You’re going to make a great hero,” Shouto said clapping his hand on his nephew’s shoulder. “Next time you go for something like that, let me know. I would be happy to extend a recommendation for you.”

Tashkei’s eyes widened and gleamed. “Th-thanks Uncle Shouto...”

"It will be interesting to see who will be teaching you.” Shouto’s eyes shifted in consideration.

Ani wished she had known beforehand. “I’m sorry we don’t have a cake or anything to celebrate,” said the blonde.

“That’s okay!” Fuyumi said and gave her son a cheeky smile. “I brought some!”

“Mom,” Tashkei said, slouching in his chair.

Fuyumi stood and began cleaning their dinner to make room for dessert. Ani rose to help but Fuyumi urged her to sit. “Please, relax Ani.”

Ani sat back down and Kiro happily reclaimed her attention. Shouto helped his older siblings clear the table and left the rest of the group to sit with Endeavor.

“Fuyumi I am so sorry Dad said—” Natsuo started to say once they were alone but Fuyumi held up a hand.

“It’s alright,” she sighed. “I should have realized that’s why Tash-kun didn’t want me to say anything. I was just so excited...I wanted to tell everyone all at once.”

“I think he’ll be okay,” Natsuo assured her.

Shouto nodded. “There’s negativity in the hero field that he will be exposed to so it’s good practice for him to ignore those who just want to diminish his accomplishments.” In the silence that followed, he added “he is going to make an amazing hero.” Natsuo made a sound of agreement. When they finished cleaning the dinner plates, they gathered everything for dessert and came out to find an empty room.

“Wh-what?! Where did they go?!” Fuyumi said, head whipping around as if the rest of the group would appear from thin air.

Shouto glanced out the doorway and saw Ani standing in the courtyard between the different wings of the massive house. Kiro and Wei stood at her side as all three of their heads followed something out-of-sight from the room. Shouto heard a familiar, nauseating sound and nearly cracked the plates as he dropped them to the table.

“Sho?” Fuyumi called as he ran out.

He burst from the room, across the hall and outside walkway, leaping over the fence as he saw his father’s flames pour out across the singed ground.

“You have to walk quieter than that!” Endeavor commanded as he whirled the flames around in pursuit of something unseen. The serpent of flames curled around and time seemed to slow for Shouto.

He saw the flames part around a solid shape which he realized was his nephew trying to dodge the attack. In his attempt to evade, the inexperienced fighter’s movement brought the current of heat in the direction of Ani and the two younger boys. The ends of Ani’s hair singed as she whipped around, grabbing both boys against her to shield them against the sudden heat.

Kiro’s hands clutched Ani’s side and a glint of light caught the thin sheet of ice the young boy tried to make but was too weak to offer any protection against the inferno from Endeavor. Ice appeared up and around Ani, instantly covering them in a cave of impenetrable ice from Shouto and he shifted the vein of frost to his father’s feet. Before the ice could rise any higher than his ankles, Endeavor’s fire turned it to mist but it was enough to get the old man to stop his reckless sparring and turn a vehement gaze on Shouto as his son shouted. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?!”

Endeavor looked down his nose at his son though he was no longer the taller one between them. “I’m giving my grandson a valuable training session.”

Shouto’s mind flashed with the memories of his own valuable training sessions that did nothing but warp his childhood. Shouto slowly crossed the barren space, glaring at his father. Ani appeared from the cave of ice and held an arm out to keep Kiro and Wei behind her as they peered out, too.

“You’ve become negligent in your fighting, old man.” Shouto stopped several feet from his father where an embarrassed Tashkei appeared from thin air.

“Father!” Fuyumi scolded, running out into the courtyard. “What are you doing?!”

Endeavor crossed his arms, unwilling to answer the question again. “Nothing your son couldn’t handle. He remains unscathed.”

“That was almost not the case for Ani and your other nephews!” Shouto shouted, hands balled into fists. Ani saw flames and frost begin to smoke from the clenched digits. “You’re a reckless, arrogant has-been!”

Endeavor’s eyes blazed with the insult. Flames began to flicker from his own body. “After all this time, you’re still the same ungrateful. Insolent. Volatile child you’ve always been! Completely incapable of becoming the number one hero!”

Ani’s heart skipped a beat. She lunged and grabbed Tashkei by the wrist, throwing him and his younger brothers into the ice-cave as Fuyumi dove for them and reinforced the frozen structure. In the same moment both Todoroki’s unleashed their quirks. The hair on Ani’s arms and legs stood on end as she felt the air vibrate with the power of an explosion that would surely level the house.

“ENOUGH.” A voice roared and the air became so cold Ani thought it would begin to snow.

Ani and Fuyumi leaned out only far enough to see Natsuo standing between his father and brother, jagged walls of ice formed in front of each of them.

“Enough!” Natsuo commanded again. The man who had smiled throughout the meal was now panting, exasperated between his unraveling relatives. “You’re going to kill us all!”

Father and son alike set their flames ablaze for a moment, only long enough to destroy their respective walls.

“You’ve never been able to keep your emotions in check.” Endeavor looked down on his youngest son, again. “That’s why you haven’t made it to number one, yet. You will make it if you can focus.”

“I’m not the one who’s unfocused. I can see much more than a single goal. Your goal.” Shouto brushed off his arms and stared his father down. “Seeing me as a child means only means you haven't given up your vain ambitions to use my success to overcome your own failures. Trying to convince you I have different aspirations is a waste of my time.”

Endeavor’s mouth parted to respond but Fuyumi’s husband came in. His eyes surveyed the wrecked courtyard with no interest in wanting to know what just happened.

“Shouto-san,” he called to the pro-hero.

The red-white head turned, no longer interested in what his father had to say. When he saw the man’s expression and the gesture to follow, his brow dipped. “I’ll be right back,” he said to Ani and she gave him a supportive nod.

Endeavor’s eyes narrowed as he watched his son leave to have a private conversation with his son-in-law.

“Is everything okay?” Ani asked with worry about what a detective and pro-hero could have to talk about.

“I’m sure everything’s fine,” Fuyumi answered with a smile. “Let’s go back inside and have some cake. What do you say?”

From across the melting plane of ice Endeavor scowled. “Sugar is foul for the hero’s body.” He turned and strode off, shunning his family.

“What do you think, Tashkei?” She asked her son and rested a hand on his shoulder. He shrugged her away.

“I told you I didn’t want to tell Grandfather yet!” He snapped. “I knew this would happen!”

“Tashkei!” Fuyumi called after her son as he stormed off, too, in an opposite direction from Endeavor.

“Mom...” Kiro asked with big eyes. “Can we still have cake?”

Fuyumi sighed and nodded. “I don’t want it to go to waste. Let’s go.” She motioned for her remaining sons, Natsuo, and Ani to follow her.

The cake looked incredible and Ani was craving a large piece of it but the thought of Tashkei made her mind drift away from dessert. “Can you cut an extra piece?” She asked Fuyumi. “I’d like to bring one to Tashkei, if I can find him.”

Fuyumi smiled warmly. “That’s so kind. He's probably in Shouto's room but I’ll warn you that he can be a bit thorny when he’s upset.”

“A bit?!” Wei interjected with a mouthful of cake. “He’s like a damn cactus!”

She bopped her son on his head. “Watch your mouth. And don’t talk with it full, either.”

“I’ll be careful, then,” Ani said with a small laugh as she accepted both plates of cake. She quietly wove through the halls of the Todoroki estate, vaguely recognizing the direction she needed to go. She counted down the doors and found Shouto’s room. She hesitated at the door, wondering if she should knock. Not wanting to be flat-out refused entry she opened the door and leaned in.

Sure enough, Tashkei was sitting on the floor of his uncle’s childhood room holding a picture frame. His eyes flashed up with a mixture of hope and fear that fell flat when he saw who it was.

“Hey Tashkei-san,” Ani said as she set a plate of cake down next to him. She leaned against the wall and slid down, sitting on the floor with him.

“Hey,” the teenager mumbled, ignoring his plate of cake. “What are you doing here?”

Ani shrugged. “Eating cake. What about you?” She leaned only far enough to see the picture. A younger, reserved Shouto stood in the frame with All Might bearing his classic smile and thumbs-up. “Oh wow,” she murmured.

Tashkei glanced up at her. “All Might was Uncle Sho’s teacher at UA.”

“He was.” She nodded, remembering the fact from the Beacons Of Hope documentary. She took a few more bites of cake.

“I wish I could have a teacher as awesome as that.” The boy set the picture down and drew his knees up to his chin.

Ani shrugged. “You never know,” she said between bites. The cake absolutely melted in her mouth but it didn’t distract her from listening intently.

Tashkei scoffed and set the frame aside. "What do you know.”

“Well,” Ani said as she set her fork down to consider the rhetorical question. “Nothing about hero school, I suppose.”

The teenager’s eyes scrutinized her. "You're not a hero, too, like Uncle Sho?”

“No.” She shook her head and took another bite.

Tashkei tried not to look intrigued. “What do you do then?”

“I used to work in an ER, but now I work at the Todoroki Agency.” She took a small bite.

“Really?” The teenager’s eyebrows raised. “You work for Uncle Sho?”

Ani nodded. “He asked me to start a health clinic there, to help take care of his heroes and staff.”

“That’s pretty cool, I guess.” Tashkei flexed his toes, trying to appear disinterested. “What’s your quirk?”

“I can regenerate.”

“Whoa.” Any hesitation at being curious washed away as he looked at her squarely now. “Like...from anything?!”

“Just about...yeah.” She took another bite of cake. “I’m sure there’s some kind of injury I can’t come back from but I don’t want to find out what it is.”

“So...” he took a minute to consider the situation. “Why are you a nurse then?”

“What do you mean?” She finished her last bite of cake and set it aside.

“Why are you a nurse? Can you like...I don’t know...heal other people, too?"

“Kind of,” Ani said quietly. Her expression fell with flashbacks of everything that had happened since the last time she did so. “But I’ll only do it when the patient is hopeless.”

“Why?” Tashkei’s face screwed up in disapproval. “That’s dumb.”

Ani weighed his reaction. “Maybe. But for a long time I was worried about people finding out about what my blood can do. Because I can’t help someone heal unless I give them my blood.”

“But that’s awesome. Why wouldn’t you want people to know about that?”

Ani tried to keep herself calm as a dewy panic rippled down her back. “I didn’t want to be used. I didn’t want other people to find out and force me to do things I didn’t want to, good or bad.” She wondered how much would be okay to share with the teenager and then decided he was going to UA and wanted to become a hero. “People, criminals, tried to kidnap me last week for that exact reason.”

Tashkei’s features paled. “What happened?”

“Your grandfather saved me,” Ani gently answered.

“Endeavor?!” Tashkei’s eyes nearly popped out of his head.

Ani laughed. “Why do you look so surprised? He was a pro hero for a long time.”

“Yeah, but. He’s such a...”

“Jerk?” Ani offered.

Tashkei’s cheeks tinted with color suggesting he had a different word in mind. “Yeah, sure...let’s go with that.”

“He is. But all heroes are different. Your uncle and grandfather may have reached identical rankings and in some ways they’re similar, but in others they’re completely different.” Ani smiled. “Your uncle doesn’t really care about ranking. And he doesn’t give weight to the opinions of those who don’t matter to him.”

Tashkei stayed quiet, listening earnestly to what she had to say.

“Your grandfather is a bully. From what I’ve learned, he always has been and he very well may always be, always ready to knock down the accomplishments of those around him.” She gave the boy a hopeful look. “But it’s not about ranking. Or how you got into UA. Or where you even go to school. What matters is what you do. How will you treat others, treat yourself when you become a hero?

“It doesn’t matter if you’re the number one pro hero or the newest pro. Hero names, costumes, none of that is important. What matters is saving who you can and helping the person in front of you. What truly matters...is what you do as a hero.”

She let her words hang in the air as Tashkei’s eyes shifted back to the photo. She quietly took her empty plate and stood to leave Tashkei alone with his thoughts.

“Thank you,” the teenager murmured without looking up.

Ani smiled though he didn’t see. “Anytime.”

She softly closed the door, still smiling, and nearly ran into Shouto who was waiting in the hall. She gasped audibly and nearly dropped the plate as he smirked and wrapped her in a hug. She melted against him.

“Let’s go home,” he quietly said. She nodded against his chest and let him lead her down the hall.

 

They said their good-byes to the rest of the family except for Endeavor who had secluded himself away somewhere.

Natsuo, Fuyumi, and her husband saw Ani and Shouto to the door. Kiro and Wei gave fleeting goodbyes, anxious to finish a game before they had to leave. They caught sight of Tashkei crossing the hall listening to his headphones and carrying his empty plate to the kitchen. Ani smiled and thanked Shouto’s family again for inviting them.

Chapter 42: A...Normal Week...?

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Monday morning at the clinic brought Ani’s mind to a screeching stop. She stood in the open doorway gawking at the five finished patient bays complete with beds and privacy curtains. Awestruck, she walked through the clinic that was of a higher quality than the hospital from which she came.

“This is amazing,” she muttered, turning around. Shouto watched silently, waiting for the best part. She didn’t expect her office to be finished, let alone the patient areas, so when she finally made it to her private work space she froze.

Her computers and screens were already installed, systems up-and-running though she couldn’t tell until they were turned on. Shouto must have had people working around the clock for the whole weekend. The only things that weren’t finished was the small operating room—equipment would be arriving today—and the supply closet that was only partially stocked.

“Now you can start the physicals,” Shouto offered.

Ani turned back to him, mouth agape. “This agency is unbelievable.”

“Thank you,” Shouto said with a smug grin. He pulled her against him and she narrowed her eyes playfully.

“That is very inappropriate behavior, Mr. Todoroki.”

His eyes gleamed as he brought his lips close enough to whisper on hers. “Then report me to the boss.” He brushed his lips over hers and saw her pupils dilate with a need for more. Knowing they were alone for the moment he pushed her up against the office wall, bracing himself on an arm above her head. He tilted her chin up as her eyes fluttered closed and he gently kissed her, steadily pressing more and more into her mouth until she parted her lips. He brought his hands down to her waist and wrapped her against him as he gave her opening a claiming swipe and pulled out. He pecked her lips and held her for a long moment in a hug.

Shouto’s phone vibrated from his pocket and he sighed. “I have to get to work...I’ll see you later though.”

“Absolutely,” she said with a smile as he pulled away and left her in the brand-new clinic. She watched him leave from her office window and sat down to get started on her own projects.

 

M.I. was the first scheduled physical; Aves was supposed to come after him but she walked in at the same time and M.I. insisted he didn’t mind if she stayed. Ani was happy to start with them. They were patient with her as she worked through her questionnaire and exams and took notes, working out the kinks in the process. She enjoyed chatting with them and they enjoyed showing off the special details of their quirks and sharing the stories about their scars though Aves didn’t have as many as M.I.

He proudly told the story of fixing his father’s lawn mower when he was only five years old—the moment his quirk manifested—which saved them a ton of money but also meant his brother had to mow the lawn again. M.I. laughed heartily when he admitted his brother socked him in the face and broke his nose he was so upset, resulting in the jagged scar across the bridge. Ani looked horrified until Aves added that was a one-time thing and M.I.’s older brother was a really good person.

Aves had an interesting ladder of scars up her arm that Ani asked about; she described the first time she communicated with birds in the wild. She got so excited she climbed a tree to get up there with them but slipped and fell, injuring her arm on the way down.

“Needless to say I was a little disappointed to learn I couldn’t fly with the birds, too!” She happily said.

Ani bid them farewell and set up for the next physical. By the end of the day she had completed seven physicals and was worn out. She pulled through the fatigue to send the business department a new list of supplies to stock for those sidekicks and their quirks.

Shouto came to find her at the end of the day. “Hey,” he said leaning against her office door-frame.

“Hey,” she said, smiling as she looked up from her computer. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m hungry. I was coming to see if you were ready to leave.” He pushed off the doorway and came behind her, snaking his arms down around her body.

“I just have a few notes to finish,” she said with a chuckle as he nuzzled her neck. “Sho! We’re still at work!”

He traced the lines of her neck with nose and she felt his breath tickle her skin as he responded.

“I’m hungry...” he said again in a hot whisper. “Know a good place to eat...out?”

Ani’s cheeks surged with heat and she cleared her throat. She didn’t respond, only kept typing as quickly as she could to finish her work as her boyfriend/boss pressed his lips into her neck.

The moment she was satisfied she saved her work, turned off the computer and pulled him out of her office, locking it behind them. Shouto grinned as she towed him through the building. Her eager attitude only riled him up further and he spent their whole ride home with his warm hand on her thigh fingers inching closer until they were between her legs as they pulled into the parking garage.

She looked like she was going to jump on him but he got out before she could make a move. He prowled around the car, keeping the two deep colors of his eyes focused on her as she bit her lip and met his mouth with a passionate need. He lifted her hips and she wrapped her legs around him feeling the hardness of his erection.

When they made it into their apartment he didn’t bother with the bedroom and, instead, opted to lay her out on the island counter and strip her bottoms off, diving between her legs with the heady need to draw his name out of her.

 

 

And so the week progressed much in the same fashion. Work. Fuck. Quality time together. Repeat. Until Friday when they got a call that Ani’s dress was ready to be fitted for the gala.

She was giddy as they walked into the sea of swirling fabrics that was the famous dressmaker’s shop and she was escorted back to a fitting room.

Ani’s dress was waiting, ready to for her to slip into. She stripped out of her day clothes, exchanging her normal undergarments for the nude-colored formal ones, and stepped into the luxurious white silk.

The sleeveless, a-line dress had a high neck. A rich blue ribbon wrapped around the back of her neck and traced down around the armhole wrapping around her mid-back to meet itself .

She swished the floor-length white silk and felt the most beautiful she ever had in her whole life. She hadn’t told Shouto about the alteration. He knew she picked out a white dress but the blue ribbon was an addition she requested. Tentatively she parted the curtain and stepped out into the circle of cushioned lounges. Shouto’s mouth parted, eyes glued to the vision stepping out into the light.

“What do you think?” She asked timidly.

He slowly rose from the couch without looking away. “I think that dress looks incredible on you.”

“Thank you,” she said with a light pink dusting her features.

He stepped up to her and traced the blue ribbon down the sides of her chest. “I don’t remember this part.”

She looked up at him under her eyelashes and softly explained. “I...asked for it to be added.”

There was something familiar about it to Shouto as he traced and retraced the curve around her body. He gave a soft laugh. “It makes me think of my hero uniform.”

Ani’s blush ripened as she admitted “that’s where I got the inspiration.”

“Really?” He asked, eyebrows rising.

She nodded. “The seamstress told me your suit was navy and I wanted to match somehow.” She smiled, folding her hands behind her back and shrugged. “Then I thought of your uniform.”

Shouto chuckled. “Like you’re heading into battle?”

“Yeah,” she grinned cheekily. “Kind of, with the way you described it.”

He lifted his hands to cup her face and gently kissed her. “I love you.”

“I love you, too,” she said with shimmering eyes. Reluctant to take off the beautiful garment, she changed back into her street clothes after the seamstress noted there were no alterations needed. They headed home for the night and, upon Ani’s request, practiced a few styles of formal dancing in case they ended up on the dance floor the following night.

Shouto kept thinking about Ani in the gorgeous dress and felt a possessive urge to claim her one last time before the gala.

 

~

 

On Saturday morning Shouto had a few things to attend to and Ani used the time to visit with Aino. He met her at the agency and she gave him a tour, blowing his mind that Shouto had insisted on giving her a small operating room.

“Well, with everything you’ve done in the ER...it kind of makes sense,” Aino said with a shrug. “You’re going to be dealing with just about everything.”

“I know...” she said as they returned to her office. Aino sat in the stiff chair and smirked. She said “shut up. I don’t need leather couches Mr. Big-Important-Chief-of-Surgery.”

“It’s fine,” he laughed. “So what do you think, do you have time to get lunch before you need to get ready for the gala tonight?”

“I think so,” Ani glanced at the clock and grew thoughtful.

Aino noticed the preoccupied look in her eye. “Ani, what’s up?”

“Huh?” She looked back to him. “What? Oh, nothing.”

“Ani,” he said with a roll of his eyes. “I know it’s not nothing. What’s on your mind?”

She strummed her fingers on her desk. She didn’t expect to have an opportunity to bring her idea up to Aino this soon and she was worried he wouldn’t listen if she didn’t propose the details properly.

She took a deep breath and gave her brother a steady look.

Notes:

Did the dress description make sense? I've become really attached to the design and want to know if it doesn't make sense/if you can't envision it!

 

Edit: Full disclosure, I realized in a recent re-watch of the anime that her dress design was more like Endeavor's and needed to change that ASAP so I adjusted the description a little bit. Not relevant to the major plot line but fuck if I was going to let that shit go!

Chapter 43: A Gallant Affair

Chapter Text

Ani finished twisting her hair back into a bun at the base of her neck. She twirled the few loose strands of hair around her face with her finger knowing they wouldn’t stay curled if she used the curling iron. She smiled at herself, excited to be making such a public appearance with Shouto, and stepped out of the bathroom in her nude undergarments.

Shouto was tying his bowtie in their full-size mirror. When he saw her coming out he cocked an eyebrow.

“Interesting choice for the gala,” he said with a smirk. “Seems a bit risque for your tastes.”

“Ha. Ha,” she responded with a playfully snarky voice. She pulled the luxurious gown out of the dress bag in their closet and carefully stepped into it. “Will you please zip me up?”

“Of course,” he said coming up behind her and gently eased the zipper up. She turned around and looked up at him under her lashes with a blush.

“Thanks,” she said as she stepped into her heels. She watched him slide into his tuxedo jacket. She bit her lip, holding her hands behind her back. A navy blue tuxedo lined with white accents and a navy blue bow-tie in the collar of a white shirt.

Damn. He looked good.

He finished fastening his cuffs and caught her eye. “What?”

She shrugged at him with an earnest smile. “You look incredible.”

“Thank you,” he said with his heart-stopping smile and came to her side. In her heels she didn’t need to lift herself up on her tiptoes to reach his lips, she just leaned in and gave him a kiss. He pressed his forehead into hers. “I’m so glad you’re coming with me tonight.”

“Me, too.” She closed her eyes and they each savored the closeness before setting off into the sea of socialites together.

He walked her down to the lobby where a car was waiting for them and they slid in the back seat. He took her hand and she rested her head on his shoulder as their driver pulled away. The gala was on the UA campus and the ride there was gentle. Ani enjoyed watching Dagoben then Musutafu pass with the unique pulses of each city. The iconic, massive, four-pillars of glass were the first thing visible and Ani watched in awe as they drove into the awe-inspiring campus.

“I can’t believe this was your school,” Ani said as her eyes followed the passing scene.

“Mm,” Shouto agreed. “I’d love to show it to you sometime.”

“I would like that,” she said with a smile that made his heart skip a beat as she turned to him.

A sound outside the car, like a roaring waterfall, swelled and drew their attention ahead. Their driver pulled in the line of vehicles to drop them off at the wide red-carpet surrounded by massive crowds of fans, reporters and their camera crews, and photographers.

Ani trembled slightly and Shouto gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. He remembered guiltily in that moment how little she wanted to be in the spotlight.

“I’m sorry Ani. I forgot how ridiculous the entrance gets,” he said quietly. “I’ve never given it a second thought before.”

“I-It’s okay,” she said with a gulp. “Just don’t lose me.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it,” he said and kissed the top of her head. Their driver inched forward and the screaming crowd of people were trying to see through the tinted windows at who was inside as security officers held back the line.

Their driver was waved forward and it was their turn. Shouto stepped out and was met immediately by a raucous wave of shouts and cheers but he paid them no mind. He turned his attention to Ani who was carefully sliding across the bench. He could see the worry in her eyes as she came to the open door and she looked up into his patient, loving eyes which calmed her brewing anxiety. She accepted his hand with a smile and let him help her out of the car. There was another roar at the sight of Shouto now with his girlfriend.

His eyes shined as he slowly wove her through the throngs of people. They greeted other pro-heroes and Shouto briefly introduced Ani though she was quickly overwhelmed with the sheer volume of names and faces. Reporters shoved their microphones out as far as they could while they shouted questions at the stream of public figures. Fans waved their signs and screamed so hard their faces turned red. It was a little frightening, seeing the intensity of their passion for their favorite heroes but some of the pros seemed to bask in it.

Kirishima was leaning into the crowds as hysterical girls swarmed around him taking selfies. Sero was signing pieces of tape and handing them out to his excited fans as Shoji signed six autographs at a time from each of his dupli-arms. Shouto’s fans were dispersed throughout the crowds, clearly visible as they wore red-white wigs. Some even went so far as to decorate their faces with a scar around their left eye but none of them registered on Shouto’s horizon. He kept an arm wrapped around Ani's waist, never letting anyone between them and hadn’t stopped to talk to any reporters or fans. His eyes casually roamed the crowd, part of him always on alert in large crowds like this. Ani looked at him and caught his eye.

“What?” He asked, leaning in to whisper in her ear and then leaned his ear to her mouth.

She blushed lightly. “I can’t believe I’m here with you.”

“I can’t believe you’re here with me. You look stunning.” He grinned and tried to hide the smile by resting his head on hers but noticed more flashes suddenly directed at them. He pulled back knowing they wouldn’t find any privacy here and met her eyes. They glinted impishly and she narrowed hers slightly at him, wondering what he was up to, as he smirked. They stopped walking up the red carpet now as Shouto turned her to face him and slowly reached up to hold her chin. Heat flushed her face as he closed his eyes and slowly leaned in and lightly pressed his lips to hers. Her eyes fluttered closed. With just a simple kiss like this he made everyone else around them disappear and her worries melted away.

When he pulled back and gently released her chin, all she saw was him. The deep gray and deep blue of his eyes. His red and white hair stirring in a breeze. The crinkle of his cheeks as he smiled.

“I love you, Ani.”

A smile slowly spread across her face, shy and warm. “I love you too, Sho.”

Slowly the sounds and sights of the world around them faded into view again and he pulled her back to his side. He was practically glowing.

They started moving down the red carpet again and she leaned her weight into him. Less fans and more reporters filled in the deeper stretches of red carpet where the more administrative public figures stopped to answer questions and pose for pictures.

The loudest, most raucous cheer yet rose from the start of the red carpet and Ani glanced over her shoulder, Shouto following her line of vision. They saw Midoriya and Uraraka stepping out of a car together as fans sporting jade in every way possible pushed their way to the edge of the barriers at the red carpet. Ani’s eyes flicked to Shouto.

“Is he going to be okay?”

Shouto chuckled once. “He’ll be fine. Come on, you won’t want to see what happens when All Might arrives.”

Ani let Shouto lead her the rest of the way to the doors and she went through security imagining what the retired Symbol of Peace must face when he goes out in public. Shouto rejoined her, taking her hand once they were through security and they casually wove their way through a busy lobby as Shouto gave polite greetings to people they passed.

He led her into the massive main hall and Ani’s jaw dropped. The two-story open ballroom was lined with a balcony that wrapped around all four walls. Floor-to-ceiling windows lined the walls of the upper balcony and the exterior wall of the first floor. The windows on the first floor were opened and acting as doors for the extravagantly dressed guests to mingle out onto the charming stone patio. Dancers swirled and swayed across the massive first floor to music played from an orchestra tucked away in a corner. Waiters wove through the crowd carrying trays of food and drinks.

After a long minute of gawking Ani felt Shouto’s gaze on her. “Sorry,” she said. “This is all so...”

“Overwhelming?” He offered. She nodded and he responded with a small, warm smile. “I understand. You have no idea how nice it is to not face this alone.”

Her eyes crinkled and shined as she beamed up at him. “I’m so glad I’m here with you.”

They turned as someone approached, greeting Todoroki and introduced himself to Ani as the mayor’s assistant of Dagoben. He expressed the mayor’s interest in speaking with Todoroki at some point during the evening about the new hero clinic in his agency. Todoroki credited Ani with the idea and creation of the clinic and the mayor’s assistant’s eyes lit up with excitement to report this to the mayor.

Ani blushed as they walked away brimming with enthusiasm. “You didn’t have to do that. It was your idea to follow through with it after all.”

The corners of his mouth lifted in a small, proud smile. “You deserve to be recognized.” His expression fell a fraction. “Unless...you don’t want people to know?”

“No!” She insisted, cupping her blushing face. “I don’t mind...I’m just really flattered the way you talked about me.”

He grinned, stopping her heart and said “it’s only the truth.” He pulled her close and kissed her hair at her breathless expression. “Come on, let’s see who else is here.”

They greeted other members of their class who had made it inside already and Ani met the final few she hadn't met yet. She was especially taken aback when she met Tokoyami. Dark Shadow appeared though his well-groomed state for the occasion made his introduction no less startling. Ani nearly dropped her drink but after the initial shock wore off she began firing questions off at Tokoyami and Dark Shadow wanting to understand how they were connected. Dark Shadow was flattered and continued to answer Ani’s questions when Tokoyami’s attention was claimed by someone else. Shouto smiled and remained at her side while other people came up to him, too, and he was happy to just be near her.

The hall filled with people as the final guests arrived and finished making their way down the red carpet. The UA principal, still the same un-aging Nezu, welcomed everyone and invited them to enjoy themselves as they spent time together making connections to improve their world. They all raised their glasses of champagne and everyone drank, some only a sip to acknowledge the toast, and others drained their glasses empty. Ani settled for a full taste, Shouto only a sip, and a waiter collected their glasses as conversations began to bubble around them.

“Would you like to dance?” Shouto asked her before they could be ensnared in a never-ending stream of conversation.

“Sure,” Ani said. There were already a large number of people dancing to the melody swaying from the orchestra when Shouto led her out to the floor and took her hand with pride. She beamed as he used the dance as an excuse to hold her close and move with the music. They turned, the soft white of her dress swirling in the movement. He spun her, extending his arm out and the fabric twirled, and made her laugh at the uncharacteristically flashy move. He brought her back to his chest, leaving no space between them and she blushed.

The song changed and he adjusted their movements to match the new flow. He held her tenderly, savoring the moment, and a group of people caught his eye. He saw a cluster of his old classmates around All Might’s retired form dressed up in a tuxedo.

“Come with me,” Shouto said. “There’s someone I want to introduce you to.”

“Okay,” Ani said as her eyes scanned the crowd wondering where they could be headed. She saw a few of his old classmates and wondered if there was someone else she hadn’t met. And then she saw All Might.

She nearly tripped. “Shouto—we have to wait! Your class is talking to All Might right now!”

“I know,” he gave her a smug grin. “That’s who I want you to meet.”

Her face paled as he towed her to the group and she tried to pull herself together.

“Young Shouto!” All Might’s voice boomed despite his haggard, retired form. The group’s attention shifted as they parted to make room and All Might caught sight of Ani. “Who is this beautiful woman with you, Young Shouto!”

“All Might,” Shouto said, joining the group. “I wanted to introduce you to my girlfriend, Shida Ani.”

The turquoise marbles that were All Might’s eyes met Ani’s and he saw her expression of shock. “It is an honor to meet you, Miss Shida!” He opened his arms.

“No, please!” she said and dipped her head. “The honor is all mine! I can’t believe I’m meeting you.”

“Ahh, a fan I see!” He said with a huge grin and popped into his hero form for a second before returning to his retired-self.

“No, Not really—I, I mean of course I’m a fan of All Might I just meant that because you were Midoriya’s teacher and basically his mentor but you were also one of Shouto’s teachers when he was here at UA and I just can’t believe I get to meet the person who helped shape these amazing heroes!”

All Might’s expression softened. “Ahh, so you’re a fan of Midoriya and Shouto’s?” He asked, not the least bit offended.

“Yes,” Ani said with a self-conscious smile. “They’re amazing.”

A light blush dusted Shouto’s cheeks and a few of his old classmates tried to hold back their smiles at the crack in his stoic mask.

“Thank you for everything you’ve done for them,” Ani said with a deeper bow of her head.

All Might waved his hand. “Thank you but it was all in my honor and duty as number one hero to help train the future of heroes!”

“No,” Ani said quietly. “Well, yes of course...but...I was thinking about your work during your retirement. You spent your whole life saving so many people and when you retired...you could have stepped back and taken time for yourself and disappeared...but you didn’t. You stayed here for them, for all of them” she glanced around at the members of his class that were there “and kept protecting us all by teaching them. Thank you...for going beyond and continuing to be a true hero.”

A gentle silence fell over the group and Ani interpreted it as overstepping a boundary. She cringed inwardly. “That was very forward of me. Excuse me,” she said and turned before anyone could say anything. She wove through the crowd and heard Shouto following her. He caught her hand and gently pulled, stopping her to come around in front of her. He saw the embarrassment in her blue eyes and her self-consciousness squeezed his heart.

“Ani,” he said as she avoided his gaze and shied away from the animated people streaming around them. He wrapped her in a hug, giving her a reprieve from the moment. “Why are you embarrassed?”

Into his chest, loud enough for only him, she said “it’s callous of me to say so much without thinking about All Might and what he may have gone through after his retirement. It was crass and insensitive. And I’m sorry. I feel like I embarrassed you.”

Shouto’s eyes drifted to the ceiling and he sighed. “What you said...was none of those things.” His voice rumbled against the noise of the gala, reverberating throughout her leaving calm in its wake. “I think you would be surprised to see how your words landed.”

She tentatively leaned back to look at his eyes. She searched the two tones for any sign of placation but there was none. He was serious.

“Thank you for following me,” she said.

He smiled warmly, resting his forehead on hers. “I’d follow you to the ends of the earth.”

“I love you,” she said, happiness replacing her embarrassment.

“I love you too,” he said. He kissed her forehead and caught sight of the dance floor. “Would you like to dance again?”

She nodded happily and he led them back into the swaying crowd of couples. He held her tenderly, closely and she asked him to point out other people he knew. He slowly rotated their view and pointed out those faces he recognized.

From across the dance floor All Might was still catching up with some of his old students when he was joined by Midoriya and Uraraka.

“All Might,” the jade hared man said and greeted his mentor with a surprising hug.

All Might smiled and his other old students walked away, giving him space with the student who had always been his obvious favorite. “Midoriya-san. Miss Uraraka.” He greeted the cheery girlfriend who also remained.

“All Might,” she said with a bow of her head. “It’s wonderful to see you here tonight!”

He grinned in his retired form, a shadow of the grin in his hero form but still a bright, gleaming grin. “I wouldn’t miss it for anything! I get to see all of you zygotes grow and mature more every year!”

Uraraka smiled and Midoriya cracked an awkward grimace. “You’re still calling us zygotes.”

“You’ll always be my zygotes!” All Might quietly proclaimed. A smiling, laughing couple on the dance floor caught his attention. “And it’s nice to see certain pupils blooming.”

Mirdoriya followed All Might’s eyes and saw Todoroki dancing with Shida. He smiled. “Yes. Todoroki has changed a lot.” He glanced at his old mentor’s happy face. “Have you had the chance to meet Miss Shida?”

All Might nodded. “I did...but I fear I offended her in some way.”

“Shida?” Midoriya asked. “It took a lot for Bakugo to get under her skin so I can’t imagine how you could have upset her.”

“I don’t know,” All Might said. He snapped his fingers as an idea came to him. “Young Midoriya-san, Miss Uraraka. Would you excuse me?”

“Of course, All Might!” Midoriya said, returning to his overly-accommodating attitude for his old idol, and bowed his head. All Might clapped his prodigy on the shoulder and shuffled his way across the dance floor to where Todoroki was still quietly speaking to Ani, chuckling together.

“Young Todoroki!” All Might greeted, making them both jump. They turned to him but Shida avoided his gaze. “Miss Shida. Would you honor this old man with a dance?”

Her blue eyes shifted back to him. “Me?” When All Might nodded, she glanced at Todoroki who looked reluctant to let her go.

“Don’t let him steal you away from me,” the red-white head coyly commented to his girlfriend.

“I wouldn’t dream of it!” All Might answered with his characteristic “Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!”

Todoroki smirked and held Shida’s hand out for All Might who took it in the massive, knotty hands of his retired form. He led her in time to the music as Todoroki stepped away.

Ani glanced away as she blushed. She didn’t know what to say.

“Miss Shida,” the old symbol of peace said in his quiet, rumbly voice. “Thank you for your kind words before.”

Once again her blue eyes flicked back to him in surprise. Her mouth parted in surprise but she didn’t say anything so All Might continued.

“Most of my fans...when they meet me...want pictures with my hero-form. They get upset and disappointed when I can’t hold that form long enough for everyone who wants a picture, even though they try not to let me see.” He sighed, shoulders sagging under the light grip of one of Ani’s hands. “It’s rare to hear anyone comment at all, let alone so honorably, about my time in retirement.”

The turquoise marble of All Might’s eyes caught sight of Midoriya in the corner of his eye. Of Todoroki. Bakugo. And more of his old students.

“It was hard to appear before them in a lesser form...but I didn’t want to abandon them. I worried for a long time that they wouldn’t want to be taught by me after losing my strength. As if I would be a lesser hero because I couldn’t fight anymore.” He smiled weakly at Ani. “They were all very reassuring and offered many kind words but they were hard to accept. Hearing an...” he hesitated.

“Outsider?” Ani quietly offered. All Might shook his head and hands fretfully worried that word would offend her but she smiled warmly. “How about a...non-student?”

“Yes,” he accepted the label with relief. “Hearing a non-student acknowledge the choice I made and how it helped my students...it validates my feelings and eases any doubts I had about my choice to continue to stand with them.”

“I’m glad,” Ani said softly, unable to meet his eye. “I was worried I would have made you uncomfortable by talking about your time in your retirement. I don’t know you personally or what you went through...I just thought you never stopped being a hero.” She slowly raised her eyes to him. “And I wanted to thank you for everything you did for Shouto, to fill in as a role-model for him when others were...less than desirable.”

All Might smirked, knowing exactly who she was talking about but he didn’t want to waste words belittling an old rival. “Miss Shida...Thank you for what you’ve done for our Young Todoroki.”

Her brow dipped. “What I’ve done?”

“Yes,” All Might confirmed. “To see Young Todoroki here dancing...smiling...laughing...it’s like watching the sunrise across a beautiful valley. A place that used to be covered in darkness, now illuminated and emerging with life.”

“Hey!” Ani laughed lightly. “Just because he wasn’t expressive before doesn’t mean he wasn’t alive!”

All Might cracked a smile. “You’re right. That was an unfair detail...but the point is the same. He has changed by your side. For the better.”

“Thank you,” Ani said with a shy smile. “Though anything I’ve done for him pales in comparison to what he’s done for me.”

“Like what?” All Might asked curiously.

Ani sighed. “Opening his heart...welcoming me into his world...being loved by him is the greatest gift I will ever receive.” She looked across the dance floor at her boyfriend having a light conversation with Kaminari. “He deserves all the love in the world.”

“Well...I don’t think any one person deserves that much love,” All Might said with a huge grin. “But all the love from your world? That will do.”

Ani blushed. Her lips opened to answer him but a gruff voice cut-in.

“Oi, All Might...” a gruff voice interjected. “Mind if I cut in?”

Ani’s head turned in surprise to Bakugo who appeared at their side. He was avoiding the other dancing couples, looking only at All Might.

“Y-yes.” All Might glanced between the two of them. “Of Course Young Bakugo.” He gave Ani a small bow of his head, making her blush speechlessly, as he offered her hand to Bakugo who accepted it readily in her pause. Bakugo pulled Ani towards him smoothly slipping into the place where All Might had been.

Ani gasped as Bakugo’s hand pressed on her lower back, bringing her against his body. She pulled back, putting some distance between them and cleared hwe throat. Bakugo pouted grumpily. Once they was an appropriate space she took stock of him.

“Hi Bakugo,” she said with a polite smile. “You look handsome tonight.” And objectively he did, too, dressed in a black tuxedo, red dress shirt, and black tie. The red complemented his eyes well and nearly made them glow when some emotion flashed through them.

“You, too,” he mumbled. “Beautiful, I mean.” The fingers on her back spread, tips flexing as he savored the small contact she was allowing.

“Thank you,” she said quietly. He was quiet, too, almost disinterested as he swayed her back and forth looking at everything but her.

“Are you having fun tonight?” She asked him kindly trying to ease a lingering tension.

He grunted. “S’alright.” A smile spread across Ani’s face and she chuckled; he had not expected that. Her laugh, quiet and easy, made him feel lighter. “It’s better now.”

“Yeah,” Ani said with a playful huff. “I hated coming down the red carpet! I don’t know how all of you do it.”

Bakugo’s lips pressed together in a tight line. It wasn’t what he had meant and he didn’t know how to clarify it. The song began to fade. He had taken her from All Might already part-way through one and she started to pull away, assuming they were done but he held her close. Well. As close as she would let him.

“That wasn’t a full song,” he said defensively. “You still owe me one.”

Ani thought about the text message and smirked. “I don’t think I agreed to it.” Before the sharp remark on the tip of his tongue could fly out she smiled and added “but that’s fine. Shouto’s talking to someone right now so I don’t mind.”

Bakugo’s hand clutched hers defensively at something she said but she wasn’t sure what it was. His mouth puckered and he chided himself, knowing he was wasting his own time.

“What’s wrong?” She asked with a crease in her forehead, sensing his inner turmoil. “Bakugo?”

“Call me Katsuki.”

"What?" Breath hitched in her throat. "W-why?”

“We’re friends aren’t we?” He grumbled and looked away sulkily. “When are you coming back to your apartment?”

“Oh, well...I’m not.” She gratefully accepted the change in conversation. “I’m going to stay with Shouto.”

“You’re going to stay with him? Even though your apartment’s finished?” He asked with narrow eyes.

“How did you know my apartment was finished?” She asked suspiciously, halting in their gentle swaying.

The words caught in his throat. “I...just saw it...walking by...” Why wouldn’t the right words come out damnit!

“Oh,” she relaxed and he used the opportunity as she returned to swaying to pull her in ever-so-slightly. “Yeah...I got a call from my landlord that my apartment was repaired.”

“And you’re not going to go back?”

She shook her head. “No. I want to stay with Sho. Besides...” an anxiety tightened her eyes and she looked away.

“What is it?” He asked. The hand on her back tensed reflexively, protectively.

Her eyes flicked back to him nervously. “Someone paid to have it redone.”

His eyes flattened. “As that’s a bad thing?”

“Not necessarily. But...I can’t help feeling worried why someone would do that. I already asked my brother, thinking maybe he was just trying to be thoughtful or something but he said it wasn’t him.” She nearly shivered, eyes shifting nervously away from him again. “Someone also prepaid a full year of my rent.”

His eyes narrowed at her and his voice was quiet but angry. “So a gracious benefactor gifts you back your apartment, not only in one piece, but for a whole year and you’re not going to use it?!”

“No,” she reiterated. “I want to live with Shouto. And there’s no way to know if it was a generous benefactor or someone, one of those people who attacked me, trying to trick me back into the apartment.”

Bakugo scoffed angrily and nearly threw her hand away as he angrily shook her other hand off his shoulder. He shoved his hands in his pockets and muttered one word as he stalked off, abandoning her on the dance floor.

“Ungrateful.”

It felt like he cut her with that word.

Ungrateful.

She felt suddenly alone on the dance floor with a spotlight trained on her though she was surrounded by people who didn’t pay her any mind.

A chilly hand rubbed down her back and she flinched in surprise.

“Ani?” Shouto stepped in front of her and registered the distress in her features. “What’s wrong?”

“I...I don’t know,” she said as he took her hand and led her off the dance floor. He drew her out one of the doors into the calming night air on the elegant stone patio. When they found a place in the shadows to be alone he stopped and pulled her against his chest.

“What’s wrong?” He asked again. His words were gentle. Soothing. Like the cool fingers tracing her face.

“It’s just something Bakugo said...it was unsettling.” She frowned as she looked in Shouto’s eyes that glowed in the night.

“What did he say?“ Shouto’s heart pounded. His mind ran wild with what the unpredictable ash-blonde would do.

“He called me ungrateful.” Ani’s gaze unfocused as she became introspective. “For not going back to my apartment.”

Shouto hesitated. “Why?”

“I don’t know.” Ani’s eyes narrowed. “The coward walked away after making that comment.”

Shouto laughed because of her expression that was supposed to be serious and menacing but he found the intensity endearing.

“What?” She asked, eyes widening at his reaction.

“I like your ferocity,” he said as he touched his lips to her hair.

“Thanks.” She glanced around and—not seeing anyone in their direct view—she turned, catching his lips with her own. His eyes flew open, scanning the area as his cheeks flushed with heat. Not seeing anyone he closed his eyes and gave in, letting her press herself against him from lip, to chest, to hip. One hand slid around her waist, the other around her neck to cup the back of her head as he traced the shape of her lips with his tongue. He felt her breath catch. She pressed herself deeper against him and he felt a warmth begin to stir deep within him.

Before his arousal could harden him he broke the kiss and treasured the way her eyes stared at his under lids heavy with lust.

“How long does the gala go?” She asked him with an unabashed need.

“There’s still a considerable amount of time left.” He smirked, brushing a hair behind her ear. “Though I’m as anxious to leave as you.”

She bit her lip and gave him room to step out of the shadows where she had hidden him. They held hands walking down the patio past a few people quietly talking and Ani planned on going back inside with him when she caught an angry puff of hair sulking in the garden. At her hesitation Shouto looked and saw who she was looking at.

“Should we go talk to him?” He asked. Ani glanced at him.

“You should go back to the gala. I don’t want me yelling at Bakugo to distract from better things you could be doing with your time.” She kissed his cheek. “I’ll be right back in.”

She dashed away, lifting the skirt of her dress as she glided down the stairs and made a beeline for the angry pro hero in the garden. There were important conversations waiting for him back in the ballroom but there was no way he was going to go without making sure she found the hot-head and wasn’t wandering out in the night alone, even if they were on the UA campus. He saw the top of her head bob up and down among the hedges as she stormed toward her victim.

Her heels crunched the gravel path and she steeled her nerve. He was going to explain himself for that cruel comment! She rounded the corner and saw him kicking stones with his hands in his pockets like a dejected high schooler. At the sound of her own footsteps along his path his eyes lifted and he stopped walking. His eyes narrowed defensively.

“What do you want, goldilocks?” He scowled.

She came right up to him and crossed her arms. “I want you to explain yourself. What makes you think I’m ungrateful?!”

His features puckered, eyes rolling. “I didn’t say that.”

“You definitely did.” She stood her ground feeling the same way she had at the party when she called him out on being mean. “It was cruel. And uncalled for.”

“Uncalled for?!” He sneered. “You’re getting an apartment for. Free. And you’re not even going to use it!”

“You’re right, I'm not. I didn’t have any plans to go back. Whoever fronted all of that money never asked me what I wanted or was going to do,” she countered. “Besides, Bakugo, why do you care what I’m doing or where I’m living?!”

His eyes glinted. “I told you to call me Katsuki.”

“Why?” She pressed him, not letting the conversation change. “Why do you care?”

He stared at her with a blaze in his eyes that shifted between anger to discomfort to frustration. “Because I paid for it.”

“What?” She asked, utterly confused.

I paid for it,” he repeated. “All of it. The repairs and your rent.”

Her eyes shifted around as if they could find an explanation along the path before moving back to his intense expression. “Why would you do that? I mean...I know you’re trying to make it clear we’re friends but that’s taking it a little far, don’t you think?”

“It’s not because I want to be your friend it’s because I’m in love with you, dumbass!” He snapped.

He immediately regretted it. The choice of words. The way they sounded. He saw how it landed and he spun around, turning his back to her so he didn’t have to watch her reaction.

Slowly her arms fell to her sides, uncrossing. “You’re...in love...with me?” she said like she was testing the words.

A grunt was the only response.

“But...Bakugo, I don’t understand...”

His back tensed, shoulders hunching at the sound of that name again, and he turned back in an angry rush. His hands were on her before she could gasp, one at her hip and the other at her chin, as his face filled her vision. Fiery red eyes bored into hers merely inches away.

“I told you...to call me Katsuki,” he said with a nearly feral growl and she saw his intention solidify.

She placed a hand over his mouth and he stopped. “Bakugo...” she ignored the confrontation on fire in his eyes “I don’t know where all of this is coming from...but I’m with Shouto. I love him. And nothing’s going to change that...so please...be my friend.”

His glowing red eyes scoured hers, flicking back and forth as he struggled to restrain himself. Ani gently stepped back and he let his hands falls as she pulled hers off of his mouth.

“Thank you for being so generous...” she held her hands together tightly. “It’s...very thoughtful and kind...and I mean you no offense. My intention is not to scorn your feelings or gesture but...I’m staying with Shouto.”

Bakugo’s tongue felt like a lead weight, dragging his heart down somewhere dark where everything he wanted to say couldn’t escape.

“I’m glad to have you as a friend, Bakugo.” She met his glare with a soft, gentle gaze that he scorned, looking away. Ani took a steadying breath. “Thank you for telling me how you feel.”

She waited hoping he would say something to ease the guilt in her heart but she realized how selfish that was and she wanted to give him space. She didn’t want to hurt him. He pouted as she turned, lifting the pearly fabric of her skirt. This conversation had not gone how he had hoped. In any way. But as he watched her start to walk away he wasn’t fueled with rage at her rejection. He respected her for it.

“I’ll be your friend,” he begrudgingly forced the words out and she paused, looking back to him. “But I’m still in love with you. And that half-and-half should know...if he ever fucks up. I’m going to make a big fucking deal about it.”

Ani smiled, stifling a small laugh. “I’m lucky to have a friend like you.”

He crossed his arms and scrunched his mouth. She was loyal. Nearly loyal to a fault. And instead of it pissing him off that he wasn’t able to sway her feelings or change her mind...he found his feelings amplified. Because if he was with someone he wanted that person to be unflaggingly loyal, too.

Ani gave him one more smile and left him standing by himself along the gravel path. She carefully navigated the stones in her heels, no longer distracted by a mission and felt eyes upon her. She looked up to see Shouto coming down the gravel path from the stairs to meet her.

“Hi,” she said, happy to see him.

His eyes searched hers with a fading worry. “Hi,” he gave her a small smile. “Everything okay?”

Nervousness flickered through her features. She was preparing the words to explain what she just learned when Bakugo answered as he came up the path.

“Take a chill-pill you half-n-half bastard. It didn’t even phase her so you have nothing to worry about,” he growled as he passed them.

Shouto’s dual-eyes met Ani’s look of scrutiny. “What?” He asked guiltily.

“Yeah, he knew it. All of it,” Bakugo called over his shoulder, unable to let slide the opportunity to jab at his rival.

Ani huffed, putting her fists on her waist as she looked at her boyfriend. “You let me worry about the apartment!”

He rubbed the back of his neck. “I found out when I went to your apartment that night but I thought Bakugo should be the one to tell you...” His eyes shyly met hers as understanding dawned on her.

“Because...you weren’t going to back down,”

“From a test of us,” he said quietly pulling her to him as they rested their foreheads together.

“Get a room losers,” Bakugo shouted from the patio, casting an embarrassing spotlight on the two of them.

Ani laughed and Shouto rolled his eyes. “What an—”

“Ass,” she finished for him. They shared a grin and he offered her his arm to return to the party. She happily wrapped her arm under and around his, resting her head on his shoulder as they walked toward the stairs.

A gentle rumble reverberated through the air. Shouto paused at the base of the steps as he felt another roll through the atmosphere and Midoriya appeared at the top of the stairs, green lightning sparking around his limbs.

“Did you feel that?” The number one hero asked looking to the number two. Shouto nodded and Bakugo appeared next to Midoriya.

Another rumble.
Louder, stronger.

Closer.

An explosion ripped through the air only a few blocks away from the UA campus and a great orange ball of fire and smoke ballooned into the air.

Chapter 44: Left Behind

Chapter Text

Fear spread like ice through Ani as she felt the temperature of Shouto’s arm drop. She released his arm and stepped to the side as a spike of ice punched up, launching him in the air toward the devastation. In the same moment a streak of green lightning and jet blast explosion shot to it, too. Wind whipped around Ani, swirling her dress and pulling the hair from her neat bun with the force of the three departures.

Other people, more heroes were rushing out onto the patio and taking off into the city as they saw the smoke.

And then the screams started.

Ani’s eyes widened as she heard the cries of suffering from so far away. Of Panic and terror. The screams lifted into the night air alongside the towers of smoke. She found herself running as her shoes flew off without a plan, only the instinct to help.

Her quirk was not one that would allow her to go over the wall so she followed the stream of people rushing the main gate. She heard more explosions and flinched with everyone around her. Screams and shouts were bouncing around in a growing chaos that swelled with a tide of people running from the disaster. The first wave were those who were completely uninjured. Ani fought against the tide, trying to get closer to the destruction as a second wave of people began: those injured but still able to move. Behind them Ani could see heroes and other civilians helping the seriously injured who couldn’t walk. She needed a place where the injured could gather so she could begin field surgery and treatment. She quickly scanned the blocks of the unfamiliar city and saw a park only a few blocks down.

“There!” She began yelling to those who were injured. “If you’re injured, go to the park!”

A few people heard her but not enough to change the course of the river of people.

“Damnit,” she cursed under her breath and climbed up onto a bench. As loudly as she could she screamed “take the injured to the park down there!” She screamed it again and again, waving her arms in the direction of the clearing. Finally, the heroes among the crowd, accustomed to thinking through the panic of a disaster, heard her and began to redirect people, too.

She chose an unoccupied hero and put them in her place, shouting to direct the crowd as she ran ahead to start helping people. The first few who had already arrived were huddled together in fearful confusion. They had expected a formal medical tent or someplace already arranged for first-aid. She sat them down in a line across a patch of grass quickly explaining she was a nurse and noted each of their injuries as others began streaming into the open area.

She was shouting directions at heroes, trying to keep a system of order to the area as she took note of more injuries while working to stop the worst injuries from bleeding out. She was multi-tasking like never before. The ER had given her some experience in managing chaos but this was on another level. Before she could send out a prayer to the universe, other healing-type heroes began arriving. Since she had been the first person on the scene, they looked to her for direction. She was thankful she had kept the patients organized in some way because she was able to send each hero to the place they could help the best.

She was managing two levels of the chaos now, the heroes arriving to help and the seemingly infinite stream of the injured, as she continued to treat the worst injuries. All the while smoke still twisted into the air in ominous columns. Ani thought of Shouto in the back of her mind, hoping the disaster was somehow just an unfortunate accident, but was never distracted from helping the person after person before her.

There was a strength forming in the clearing now as the number of injured was slowing and more heroes were arriving providing help and structure. Ani was drenched in sweat, dress covered in dirt and blood. Her hands were starting to shake from the continuously demanding work but she had yet to be injured by someone’s quirk. She was thankful for that.

She kept working as hard as she could when someone tapped on her elbow. She turned and looked down to a very short old woman with a gray bun.

“Recovery Girl?” She asked, recognizing one of the most powerful heroes in her line of work.

The old woman nodded. “The pros need your help.” She gestured over her shoulder to a panic-stricken young man behind her. A pro hero she didn’t recognize.

“I-I was sent to get you, Ma’am,” he said with a gulp. “There’s people who need help but they can’t be moved.”

“Go,” Recovery Girl instructed. “I can’t get out there and you seem to know what you’re doing. Go help them.”

Ani nodded once to the honored elder and took off after the messenger. He was fast, much faster than she would have been even if she wasn’t already worn out. She tried keeping up with him as best as she could but he was taking the turns too quickly now. She couldn't find the breath to call out and ask him to slow down. She was starting to lose sight of him every-other turn as they wove through the unfamiliar city.

She went two turns without seeing him.

She paused for a moment to catch her breath and she realized they had been running parallel to the columns of smoke.

“Shit,” she said. She must have lost him much sooner than she realized! She took off on her own and headed in a beeline to the destruction with panicked thoughts of the injured.

“Ah!” Her foot, thoroughly scraped and bloodied, caught the edge of something and she tripped landing hard on her elbows, forearms, and knees. “AH, Fuck!” She yelled down the empty alleyway.

She paused for a moment, clutching her knee that hurt the most. She could feel the familiar sapping of her body’s energy as regeneration attacked the damaged joint and torn-up feet. Her chest heaved with ragged breath and she shifted to get back on her feet, to get to the pros who needed her help. “Well, well, well...”

With a sickening curdle, Ani’s gut twisted as her eyes rose to the shadow above her and she realized she was not alone in the alley.

The shadow dropped from a fire escape like ink and formed a silhouette Ani was petrified to recognize.

“Look what little flower I found sprouting up here...in the darkness...” Blue eyes glowed iridescent in the dim light and struck fear through Ani’s soul. “...all alone...”

She inched backward, every cell in her body on fire. Flight.

That was the response her body chose: flight.

Without any hesitation she bolted down the alleyway in the opposite direction which happened to be toward the carnage. She could see it. The pros combing through the wreckage and she tried to cry out but her voice betrayed her, breaking from the limits to which she’d already used it. Two blocks.

That was it. Two blocks was all that was left between her and...and...another shadow. It separated itself from the building halfway down the next block in an obvious attempt to trap her. A ghoulish nightmare tall and sinister also with blue eyes. No. The...same...blue eyes?

Panic electrified her muscles as she turned down the next dim street, seeing she would need to avoid trash bags and dumpsters littered along the way like a hellish obstacle course. She glanced in the other direction and saw a clearer path.

The hair on the back of her neck stood up as two pairs of unholy cerulean orbs leisurely approached her and she made a snap decision to take the clearer path.

And immediately regretted it.

A third pair of eyes appeared at the other end, sealing her fate as she felt the other two pairs at the end from which she just came. Frantic, like a rat in a cage, her eyes darted around and caught the lines of a shadow hanging only a few steps down the alley.

A fire escape ladder.

A sliver of hope to deliver her from the darkness closing in. If she could get to the rooftop, she would be in plain sight with a better chance of a hero seeing. They were all over the place only a short distance away. Surely one of them, someone would see her up there, right?

With life-or-death adrenaline pumping in her system she launched herself onto a dumpster and grabbed the ladder as she fought the pull of gravity on the weight of her dress. She clenched her teeth and climbed with all of her might as she heard the three sets of footsteps hustling toward the dumpster.

“Come back pretty flower, don’t drift away on the wind from us!”
“We’re not done with you yet!”
“Where ya going, beautiful?”
Their voices crawled up from the street and she felt them grab at the train of her dress. She had just reached the top of the ladder, still trying to hoist herself onto the first level when they yanked at the fabric. She screamed, clutching the metal framing of the first floor with all her might and they howled below her like wolves. Fighting with every part of her being she dragged herself against their strength. Fingers cut and bleeding on the rough metal of the fire escape she managed to get her waist up as the first one of them was climbing up still clutching the fabric of her dress.

She braced herself with her legs and, without shame, she ripped apart the neck-hem of her dress and felt the zipper tear. It was only an evening gown after all. It wasn’t meant to hold-up to the forces of a fight. She managed to wriggle one arm out and kicked the man below her in the face. He lost his grip and fell, slamming into the dumpster and turning into a squelching puddle of mud. The other two looked up at her with pure fury at the loss of their comrade and she scrambled.

She slipped out of the garment a split second before the dress was wrenched down by the next copy. He slipped from the ladder, too, but kept his balance and landed unharmed.

Ani was already racing up the stairs immune to the frigid night air that swirled around her exposed skin. Unabashed she ran in her skin-colored bra and underwear across the next level, around and up the next flight of stairs. The two men were hurtling up the escape after her and she could feel them closing in.

Before she could start up the next flight of stairs a torrent of blue flame shot up through the staircase causing her to leap back, heat nearly catching her hair on fire. She paused for only a moment form shock and a hand wrapped around her throat.

“Found you.”

He threw her back into the side of the building. She could hear the sound of her own skull cracking and felt the sudden drop in pressure around her brain as blood splattered out against the stone.

The man let go and her vision blurred as she collapsed.

 

~

 

They found the gas leak, the source and cause of the explosions. Rubble still needed to be inspected but full sweeps of the destruction had already been completed. The surrounding area, both above and below ground, had been searched and were now secure. No arsonist or terrorist or villain was found and police ruled out any foul play. It had been an accident. A terrible event but only an accident.

Shouto’s shrewd gaze passed over the scene. Something didn’t feel right.

This was too easy. Too simple.

His skin began to crawl with uneasiness in the air and the hair on the back of his neck stood up. He looked around not leaving any detail unnoticed until a flutter of white caught his eye. Across the wreckage was a long swath of fabric once white and dazzlingly pure now coated with dirt and grit. It swayed in the breeze from the arms. Of. His. Brother.

The corner of Dabi’s mouth lifted in a sneer as he met his brother’s eye from a far distance across the rooftops. Shouto’s heart pounded as, out from behind his brother, stepped...a copy...another Dabi...

And in his arms...the limp form of his love wrapped tightly in Dabi’s signature jacket. White hot rage moved Shouto’s body before he could think. He heard his name called from a different world. Maybe an old friend? Or a rival? Maybe it was his own voice shouting something to someone of it’s own accord? He didn’t know. He didn’t care. He could think of nothing but the single most important person of his life. Unconscious. Held by a psychopath.

He was propelling himself as fast as he had ever moved before but he could see it.

He already knew.

He wasn’t going to make it.

But that didn’t stop him from trying. Moving with a speed and ferocity he had not felt since long ago he was only one rooftop away before the purple mist appeared and Dabi stepped backwards—both of them—promptly vanishing into thin air with the love of his life.

And her white dress was all they left behind.

A haunting memento that floated down to the ground, abandoned and empty, as Shouto landed where they had been less than a moment ago.

He was flanked immediately by two other heroes but he couldn’t see them as he slowly sank to the ground. His hands shook as he took the discarded material tenderly in his hands and he felt his heart break at the sight of the blood, dirt, and torn fabric. At the emptiness of the dress that began to spread, echoing out across the world and threatening to collapse the fabric of his reality.

Chapter 45: Tick

Notes:

Thanks for coming back to read after it took so long to post again :)

Chapter Text

Oh fuck that was a bad dream.

This was the first thought Ani had as consciousness slowly rose through her like a gentle tide. As she awakened and slipped into more and more of herself she began to feel the aches and pains. Fatigue sagged on her muscles like a damp rag. Her joints were stiff from sleeping on the floor.

Wait.

The floor?

She could feel the unforgiving surface and stretched, trying to crack out any kinks as her eyes opened and bare feet scraped cold stone.

She froze.

What....the actual fuck....

This was a...a goddamn dungeon. With only a sickly orange lamp glowing from where it hung on the wall. Where the fuck was she?

Her head pounded as if her brain was screaming, trying to remember.

Why couldn’t she remember?! Her mind was a total foggy mess, she was surprised she remembered her own name.

She tried coaching herself to back track, okay moments ago she was...where, exactly?

She’d just had a terrible dream that she was being chased through an alleyway but that couldn’t have been real.

Right?

Maybe she wasn’t awake yet. She reached out to pinch herself in a cliché gesture but stopped at the cold metal weight around her wrists. Panic crystalized across her chest as her eyes traced the chain from the cuffs to the wall.

She looked at the shackles in disbelief. Okay. She had to still be dreaming, right?

RIGHT?!

She tried to pull her hand out of the cuff as if this was some weird, cruel joke that someone was playing on her. Her brother maybe? She snorted at herself. Aino? Aino would never do this. Aino! She could remember his name...and that she had a brother so that was good...

As she yanked on the chain, trying to break them out of the wall, she focused on her brother.

Okay, brother.

Aino.

Surgeon. Right. And she was a nurse. She used to work in an ER and now she worked...for the Todoroki Agency.

Todoroki.

SHOUTO!

Like an alarm ringing through her memory everything finally clicked into place.

She had gone to the UA gala with Shouto. There had been some sort of disaster and she was trying to help when

oh no

oh no oh no please.

That feeling she had woken up with, that terrible dream, that was real. This was real. All of it. She had really been kidnapped by that psychopath who had tried to kidnap her before. And this time he’d done it. And there had been...copies of him.

She whimpered in fear as she braced her bare feet against the stone wall and tried to break the chain. If she couldn’t pry it from the wall she would...

She gulped.

She would do what she had to do. She pulled with all of her might and felt the metal started to dig into her skin. A trickle of blood dripped down her forearm as she focused on her left wrist first. She stifled a scream as she felt the joint begin to crack under the strain but before she could get her hand out she heard a lock turn behind her.

She shuffled back around, still on the floor, to face the massive wooden door as it opened. Nausea filled her as the scarred man came in, lazily pushing the thick door aside with one hand as if it were paper.

“Well...you’re finally awake,” he noted. He closed the door and looked her up and down.

It made her skin crawl.

Her senses were on high alert though there was nothing she could do right now.

She was a prisoner.

“I was worried maybe you weren’t so good at regenerating after all.” He leaned against the wall facing her, looking bored. “Thought maybe you weren’t going to wake up.”

Her nostrils flared as she treaded the emotional situation and tried not to drown. She already knew who this man was, Shouto’s brother, and why this...this league of bad guys or whatever...wanted her. It was for the regeneration.

“What are you going to do with me?” she demanded. Well. She tried to make it sound like a demand. Like she wasn’t filled with dread.

He smirked. “Don’t know yet.” He tilted his head to the side, looking her up and down again. “Are you comfortable? Anything I can get you?”

She glowered at him. The massive gray-green sweater someone had put her in was, thankfully, long enough to hang mid-thigh and thick enough to keep her warm against the cold stone floor. She assumed it wasn’t an oversight she wasn’t given pants.

“Are you serious?!” She asked with incredulous anger. He chuckled, a low and grumbling sound, at her reaction. “Am I comfortable?! Of course I’m not comfortable! You kidnapped me!”

He shrugged with a smirk.

Her eyes narrowed at him and her chin wrinkled, stifling angry tears. “Where am I.”

He rolled his eyes. “Oh, come on. You know I’m not going to tell you that.” She looked away from him, lips pressed into a tight line. “That’s it...no other questions for me?”

“As if you would actually answer them.” She wrapped her chained arms around herself huddling into the sweater.

“You never know...I might.” He was teasing her. Taunting her with hope that would appeal to any good-natured person. “Why don’t you give it a try?”

She was trying to ignore him but she took the bait. “What’s your name.”

“Dabi.” He crossed his arms, looking bored again.

“No.” She stared at him blankly. “Your real name.”

He rolled his eyes. “That is my name, cupcake.”

Knowing she was about to push some serious buttons, she asked “the name your family gave you.”

Flames danced around his fingers smoking the leather of his jacket. The eerie blue light betrayed his calm demeanor.

“Don’t know what you’re suggesting, sweetheart.”

“I think you do,” she said calmly. This was dangerous territory but she had to glean something from him. Anything. Any knowledge of his weaknesses or what got under his skin.

He stared back at her unyielding and silent. The flames were gone.

“Or did you not know I was dating your brother: Todoroki Shouto?” There. It was brief but she saw a flicker of annoyance before it disappeared.

He sneered. “Ah yes...the serious boyfriend...how long have you two been dating again?”

What was he suggesting? The confusion muddled her confidence.

He lifted an eyebrow. “Care to remind me how many days it’s been? Or can you say you’ve finally been dating for a few weeks now?”

His sneer deepened, lips curling back to reveal teeth. “Made it to a month yet?”

She pressed her lips together, words catching in her throat, at his suggestion. Surely he didn’t mean...

Dabi stepped away from the wall, sauntering slowly across the room as he watched the calculations rolling in her mind. She flinched when he squatted down in front of her.

“Do you really think he’s going to swoop in and save you?” He looked indifferent. Unimpressed. “You and I both know...that’s not going to happen.”

“That’s not true,” she argued.

Dabi laughed in her face, covering his mouth as the dark chuckles rolled out of him. “You don’t really know the Todoroki family at all, do you.” He grinned, still riding the last bit of laughter. “My little brother doesn’t really care about anyone. He’s a great hero, sure. Doesn’t mean he’s a great person though...after all, he ended up the worst out of all of us: he’s just like our father.”

“He’s nothing like your father.” The strength in her voice was cutting and it killed any trace of his humor.

“You know...” his expression was deadpan. “It doesn’t matter what you believe...or how you feel...or what you think you understand...” his eyes roamed the unmarred skin of her face. “Sooner or later...you’ll see. After all...he’s a Todoroki.”

“He’s Shouto.” The resolution in her defense of him was steadfast. She stared down her kidnapper. “It doesn’t matter if he’s a Todoroki. What he does defines him over that. And it always will.”

“Wow.” Slowly Dabi tilted his head. “...you’re really taken in by him, aren’t you?”

Ani blushed but refused to look away. “I love him.”

“And you think you know him.” Dabi sucked his teeth. “After only a couple of weeks, maybe a handful of dates and special moments together.”

Dabi rose to his feet. His cyan eyes glowed dominantly and never left hers. “I guess only time will tell...if Shouto loves you enough to find you. And rescue you.” He strolled across the cell back to the door and paused to look over his shoulder. “Tell me...do you think a boy raised by parents who do this to their children—” he gestured to his own face “—is really capable of loving someone?”

He grinned as if he was the only one between them who understood the devilish truth.

But he was wrong. ...Wasn’t he?

The wood scraped across the floor as it firmly shut and the lock clicked in place.

He was wrong. He had to be. Shouto...all their time together.

All those weeks...

Dabi’s condescending voice echoed in her ears ...weeks...

She forced herself to swallow. He had to be wrong...didn’t he? So what they hadn’t been dating for a drawn out period of time. They met. They connected. They moved in together. They fell in love.

Didn’t they?

The dust of doubt settled over her in the silence of the cell.

Dabi was insane. He was wrong.

He had to be.

Didn’t he?

 

 

~

 

 

He waited outside the door until he heard what he wanted. It took longer than he hoped but he finally heard it: soft crying. She was clearly trying to hide it in case he was lingering or about to return but he heard it none-the-less. Muffled sobs cast from the shadow of a doubt.

Shoving his hands and the key to the door in his pockets he walked away with a huge grin on his face. He couldn’t believe it. He actually had fun.

He was going to enjoy this.

Nonchalantly he made his way through the dank corridor and up the rusty staircase into the cavernous space. It had been sparsely furnished. Odd couches and chairs thrown together to form a miss-matched lounge where they could meet and take care of various business. Toga skipped out of the dilapidated break-room with a steaming corn-dog at the sound of his steps.

“Ehhhh! Dabi-san!” She trounced over to him. “You’re done already?!”

Everyone else was already looking at him from their places where they were waiting. Shigaraki stayed seated, wild eyes swiveling to Dabi from behind the hand covering his face, but Kurogiri rose from his chair. Twice stayed propped up against a wall while Fuyogi and Gaban turned to face him.

“How did it go?” Kurogiri asked.

Dabi smirked. “Exactly as I planned.”

“So...” Shigaraki prompted. “It worked?”

“Yepp.” He dropped himself into a shabby leather chair. “Give it a little bit more time and she’ll be ready.”

“This is good,” Fuyogi said in her sickly smooth voice. She glanced at Gaban. “We should tell Mom.”

Gaban nodded answering silently as usual. Without asking, Kurogiri opened a warp-gate for them and they stepped through, disappearing.

Once they were gone Shigaraki looked to Dabi. “Does she know who you are?”

“Yeah. She remembers me from the attack a couple months ago.”

“And the rest of us?”

He shrugged. “Couldn’t tell. She might think we’re all still the League of Villains or whatever dumb name you used to call us.”

Shigaraki’s manic smile spread wide enough it could be seen around his hand. “That’s a good sign.” He giggled, building into a laugh as he proclaimed “they don’t have any idea what’s coming!”

 

 

~

 

As much as she tried to resist, there was nothing to distract her from the snaking thoughts that Dabi had put in her mind. His words kept bouncing around, ricocheting destructively as her heart tried to argue with her mind.

No. No. No. He was just trying to manipulate her. There was no reason to doubt Shouto. Their relationship was strong. It was healthy. So what if it happened quickly? That didn't weaken their bond.

Did it?

No. She assured herself. There was no reason for her to doubt him. He was a great person, a Todoroki in last-name only.

She took a steadying breath as silence pressed in around her.

Time ticked on around her.

Tick

Tock

Tick

Tock

Tick

Tock

Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick

tooooock

tick tick tick tick t

toooooooooooooooooooooooooooock

Her awareness of it passing came in spurts and jumps as she continued arguing with herself.

At some point she began rocking gently.

Her head ached, throbbed with every beat of her pulse.

ticktock

That's it, she snapped her fingers. Dabi had thrown her against the wall when he finally caught her. She remembered the feeling of her skull cracking from the serious injury and that explained why her mind was so fuzzy right now. She was still trying to regenerate.
She felt better now knowing all she needed was a little extra sleep.
Trying to stretch out the bulky knitted wool around as much of her bare skin as possible, she laid down and closed her eyes.
God, that stupid light.
It's infuriating hue was enough to make her tired but too bright to fall asleep with it on.
She stood up with the intention of unscrewing the light bulb if she couldn't find a switch but her chains yanked back on her, stopping her a few paces away from it.
She cursed.

No Matter. She could still sleep. The sweater was thick enough to block the light.

But not long enough to cover any portion of her lower half and her face.

Sleep in the dark but exposed?

Sleep with her vulnerable parts covered but in the light?

If she could fall asleep either way at all.

Shit.

These assholes were very clearly pushing her mind to break.

And she didn't know if there was a thing she or her regeneration could do to stop it.

Chapter 46: Tock

Chapter Text

Ani had to admit she felt better. And since the cell wasn’t sweltering hot the smell was...bearable...with the bucket as far away from her as she could manage. That was one need she didn’t have to worry about for a while.

Now all she could think about was hunger.

 

Tick tock

 

And thirst.

 

Tiick toock

 

Her head had begun to pound in time with her heart.

Regeneration was a powerful quirk but it was only a physical ability. A quirk that required fuel. Which she was being denied.

 

Tiiick tooock

 

She gave up on trying to pry her wrist from the cuffs after she saw the scrapes from the metal weren’t healing. She knew panicking was no good but...

 

Tiiiick tooock

 

 

She had never gone so long without food or water before. She knew the average person could survive for only a few days without water. She guessed regeneration could buy her a little more than that but not much. And she couldn’t even pass the time to sleep.

 

Tiiiiick tooooock

 

When she tried she hadn’t been able to sleep with the light on and her chains weren’t long enough to reach it. Not like there would be a switch anyway. The sweater was thick enough to cover her face but then her most vulnerable areas were exposed. She didn’t trust her senses enough to wake up to the door opening.

 

Tiiiiiick toooooock

 

Time was slowing down.

 

An illusion of the isolation.

 

 

Everything ached.

 

 

She longed for sleep.

 

 

Craved food.

 

 

 

Needed water.

 

 

Time no longer seemed to pass, like her brain was shutting down. Her vision even blurred in and out. That scared her the most.

 

 

Why weren’t they coming back to check on her?

 

To use her blood?

 

Isn’t that what they wanted her for?

 

...or maybe...

 

                            ...maybe...

 

                                                   ….there really was no one coming for her.

 

 

If there wasn’t anyone trying to find her …

 

 

...if the heroes didn’t care about getting her back...

 

 

 

...and these people weren’t going to use her blood...

 

 

 

...there wouldn’t be a reason...

 

 

 

 

...to keep her alive....

 

 

 

...

 

 

She couldn’t sit up anymore.

Her head was swimming.

Conviction dissolving.

Will evaporating...

...empty.

 

She slowly slumped over into a heap on the ground.

Chapter 47: Empty

Chapter Text

Shouto sat in the Musutafu police department, in the superintendent’s office. He had just finished doing a massive sweep of the city and canvassing with police. He was taking a few short minutes away from the commotion to try and catch his breath. Clear his mind. In a few minutes the briefing for a group of police and heroes to the search, an even larger group than before the first attack on Ani, was going to start. Even Aino was here; he had just stepped out to call the hospital. Shouto's back ached. Bags hung under his eyes. Fatigue pulled at his muscles but this was only the beginning. He knew the more time that passed, the harder it would be to find her. His dark eyes shifted to the quiet tv the superintendent left playing.

The morning news was about to start…he knew what the first story was going to be…he spent his night living it.

 

 

“Last night, only blocks away from the prestigious UA gala, Musutafu was rocked with explosions from what police believe to be a gas leak.”

Endeavor was already walking out of his house calling Shouto. His son didn’t answer. A moment later he was in his car, news playing over the car speakers as he sped off.

 

 

“Six city blocks were affected by the blasts killing fourteen and injuring countless others. Among the victims was the nation’s number two pro-hero's girlfriend: Shida Ani, a nurse for the Todoroki Agency.”

Rei dropped her tea. The ceramic mug shattered on the ground and liquid splattered, soaking into her slippers and socks. A nurse rushed in at the hazardous sound.

“Mrs. Todoroki, are you okay?!”

 

 

A smiling headshot of Ani appeared next to the news anchorwoman on screen "Miss Shida Ani was kidnapped last night while caring for those injured during the accident.".

Aino was on the phone with his assistant and he could hear the news in the background.

“...Dr. Shida...is...is that what this is about?”

“Yes.” His answer was curt. Pained.

“Sir...I’m...I’m so sorry...”

“Reschedule my operations with other available surgeons. Call me back immediately if there are any that cannot be handed off.”

 

 

“Police and pro-heroes are asking the public for any information that can help bring the pro-hero's girlfriend home safely including any information or sightings of her kidnappers.” Three headshots appeared on the screen under Ani’s: Dabi, Kurogiri, and Bubaigawara.

All Might stared at the faces with a sickening dread from the central police station in Musutafu. He sat with Recovery Girl who was distraught and wanted to stay at the station to help in anyway she could. He cursed under his breath and gently patted the older woman’s hand.

“They’ll find her,” he tried to assure her.

 

Midoriya, Bakugo, and a few other members of the top-ten heroes looked over the pictures as they displayed on the massive projection screen in the briefing room where they waited.

Bakugo sat in the back by himself with a furious scowl. The smell of smoke wafted from his corner.

 

“A candlelight memorial will be held for the victims of the disaster later tonight at...”

Shouto tuned out the rest of the news. His fingers were laced together, hands gripping each other his knuckles were white, and he rested his head on his hands trying to cope. Trying to process.

Twenty-four hours ago they had woken up together.

They each had lunch with their families.

And then returned to each other at their home. He could recall every vivid detail of the early evening as they prepared for the gala together and the mere memory of Ani crushed his chest.

The smell of her shampoo.

How she slipped into her gown.

The sound of the zipper as he helped her get dressed.

Her compliment of him.

He looked down at his crumpled, disheveled tux. Everyone else had gone home to shower and dress properly for this meeting but Shouto didn’t. He couldn’t. How could he walk into his home—their—home they had shared for so long together?

He couldn’t bring himself to do it. And any moment he spent at home was a moment of searching lost. He was out all night with the Musutafu police canvassing and interviewing anyone and everyone in the neighborhood who may have seen something or heard something.

He looked over his hands, eyes unfocusing as he replayed every detail of the night. What had he missed? What could he have done differently?

He was used to replaying events over in his mind but this was different because regret tinted everything. It was more than just trying to learn from his mistakes and improve. It was the unassuageable need to go back and do it differently.

A knock on the door.

“Shouto-san?” Superintendent Jozu said as he quietly stepped into his colleague’s office. “We’re going to begin the briefing now.”

Shouto followed him down the hall like a phantom. The edges of his mind were touched with a numbness to the world that scared him. He could feel the mask of cold chagrin he wore. He couldn’t believe this happened.

And yet...he could.

How long had it been clear the L-o-V was after her? He chided himself. When he saw the explosion he launched into action without thinking, without a second thought about Ani. From everything he heard, too, she had been essential in saving countless lives as she organized the wounded and found them help. Everything had been fine.

Until someone couldn’t make it out of the blasted zone. He was still so focused he didn’t consider that it would be Ani asked to come help.

And that pro-hero.

That foul, failure of a pro-hero who left Ani behind as he ran too quickly and didn’t stop to think about the person he was leading or stop to check they were still with him.

Shouto watched a portion of the pro-hero's interview from behind the two-way mirror but he was disgusted. He blamed that pro-hero of course, but it was clear there was no malicious intent in his behavior. He had made a mistake.

Just like Shouto.

The briefing room was packed. Every seat was filled and most of the standing room was occupied as well. He took the last clear patch of wall near the door and leaned against the wall, uninterested in meeting anyone’s eye.

“Thank you all for coming in on such short notice this morning. I’m Superintendent Yekuro of Musutafu,” he introduced himself. “We’re here to discuss the relocation and reacquisition of nurse Shida Ani who was kidnapped last night.”

Reacquisition. She wasn’t a device, damnit! She was a person, his person!

“At least three members of the former League-of-Villains were involved in the kidnapping.” He aimed the pointer at the projection screen and named the three headshots of Twice, Dabi, and Kurogiri. “From information we were able to gather last night through witness account and investigation there were four other people involved who detonated the explosions in what we now know was an attack, not an accident.”

He added four more faces to the screen. An amber-eyed blonde, Toga. A sky-blue haired man, Shigaraki. A completely bald woman with no eyebrows or any other kind of facial hair named Fuyogi Hara and another man, blue hair slicked back, dressed in a suit and tie, Gaban Dagodaro.

“These last two have been in the shadows for a long time. They’re members of a group from the west coast and it’s now safe to assume there’s a connection between the League of Villains and that criminal organization, the Absolved.”

Shouto felt tension roll off Midoriya from the middle of the room at the unfortunate news.

Midoriya’s spot as number one hero was secured not long after they all graduated and became professional heroes. All-for-One's last stand, and the peak villain himself, were thwarted by Midoriya’s power. After ridding their country of the epicenter of evil, Midoriya had officially become the number one hero and the public began to look to him as they used to look to All Might.

The years since All-for-One's death had not been quiet. There were many in the underground who were enraged and out for Midoriya’s blood. They wanted vengeance.

The Absolved included.

“We’ve gathered information from several precincts in cities along the west coast and this is the only photo available of their leader, Hogo Sareta” a grainy photo appeared on the screen of a woman’s face, scar across her bottom lip, framed with fluffy pink hair. A few people snickered and Superintendent Yekuro scowled. “Make no mistake by what you see. Hogo Sareta is one of the few people All-for-One respected and tolerated and he allowed her organization to operate autonomously because of that respect. And now it seems Hogo Sareta has taken in the League of Villains to carry-out her own long-awaited revenge for the death of All-for-One.”

“That doesn’t make any sense,” a detective called out. “Why would they kidnap Miss Shida if they wanted a hostage? She’s Todoroki’s girlfriend, not Deku’s.”

Shouto's whole body tensed. More and more people had learned about what Ani could do but it still was not common, public knowledge.

“Miss Shida has the ability to regenerate. It’s her quirk. And if an injured victim is injected with Miss Shida’s blood they, too, gain the ability of regeneration for a short period of time.”

Whispers bubbled around the room.

“Heh,” a sergeant behind Bakugo chuckled lowly and elbowed her colleague. “Makes a lot more sense now, why he was with her.”

“Yeah,” the man responded in a condescending tone. “Healing on tap for whatever he needs.”

“For anyone wondering,” Bakugo called out in annoyance, shutting them up. His feet, propped up on the desk, and his arms were crossed as he stared moodily at the front of the room. “Shida Ani is not only able to regenerate. She’s an experienced nurse with a wide range of medical skills. She’s an asset because of what she can do, not just her blood.”

Shouto scrutinized Bakugo with a flat expression as Superintendent Yekuro recalled everyone’s attention. Bakugo gave Shouto a fleeting, challenging glance.

“Yes, Mr. Bakugo is correct. She’s an asset that’s going to put the Absolved in a very strong, very dangerous position to carry out whatever major attacks they’ve planned.”

Another round of whispers swept through the room.

“Our main goal is finding Miss Shida and figuring out what, exactly, the Absolved plan to do.” He motioned to his assistant who began distributing folders. “Your commissioners will go over the outline for each prefecture in detail.”

He dismissed the large group and they began to file out of the room talking in clusters as they received their folders. Shouto saw Bakugo stand up and brush off the folder offered to him as he moved to leave the room.

“Bakugo, where are you going?” Midoriya asked. “The briefing for the rest of the pro-heroes is next. We need to stay for that.”

The explosive hero yanked his shoulder out from under Midoriya’s grip and stormed out the door at the back of the room. Shouto slipped out into the hallway.

“Bakugo,” he called. The ash-blonde paused with a hunch and glanced at Shouto over his shoulder. Shouto waited until the other officers in the hall were out of earshot before he walked over. “Where are you going?”

“What’s it to you damn bastard?” He wouldn’t look at Shouto.

Shouto exhaled through flared nostrils. “You’re the number three hero. You should be here for this. And I assumed—”

“You assumed,” Bakugo snarled and whipped around with a fearsome glow in his eyes. “that I was going to follow along like a little fucking love-sick puppy dog. Didn’t you?”

“What did those officers say?”

Bakugo scoffed “what?”

“You overheard something that made you defend Ani. What was it?” Shouto pressed him. “I can tell you’re worried about her. You want to help rescue her, despite what you say, I can see it.”

“I heard enough to make me not want to work with these scumbags.”

“So, what? You’re going off on your own now?!”

“I’m going off to do what these assholes aren’t capable of doing.” Bakugo stared at his rival and smirked. “Afraid I’ll find her first and her feelings will change?”

“This isn’t a joke, Bakguo!” Shouto growled. “You need to stay and be a part of this.”

“No, I don’t.” He turned and waved the red-white head off. “She’s your girlfriend. Find her yourself.”

Shouto was seething and he could feel the air swirling around him as he tried to hold back his quirk. As Bakugo strolled away others began walking toward the room. The pro-heroes were coming up for their own briefing and suddenly Shouto couldn’t do it. He couldn’t sit through another meeting about Ani.

“Todoroki-san,” he heard Midoriya from behind him. “Is everything okay?”

He turned to his old friend, letting just a sliver of his feelings show through. “Midoriya. I need to go home.”

Though it would be painful to go into their home without her, he suddenly needed to see evidence of her existence. It had already been twelve hours since she disappeared and something was beginning to gnaw at his gut. Maybe fear. Maybe dread. Whatever it was, it made him need to connect to her in some way.

Midoriya nodded, his fluffy jade hair bouncing. “I’ll be here. I’ll pass along everything after the briefing.”

“Thank you,” Shouto said and the weight of fatigue began to sink onto his chest. He quickly left before the other pro-heroes could reach him and disappeared into a back stairwell. His mind was churning so heavily he almost crashed into a haggard man helping an old woman up the stairs.

“My apologies,” he said in a rush. The man’s large, knotty hand touched Shouto’s arm and he noticed it was his old mentor. “All Might, what are you doing here?”

“We stayed, wanting to help the police in anyway that we could," his gravelly voice echoed through the empty stair. Shouto glanced to his side at the word we and saw Recovery Girl. She was looking up at him with wet eyes full of dismay.

“Todoroki-san,” her voice wobbled. “I’m so sorry about what happened to Miss Shida-san.”

“It’s alright—” his voice was tight.

“No. It’s not. I feel responsible having been the one to ask her to go in my place.” She wiped at her eyes. “I’m so sorry.”

His heart began to ache. In part for the old woman who blamed herself and for Ani who was paying the price.

“If there’s anything I can do for you or your agency in her stead, please do not hesitate to ask,” she offered.

“Thank you very much, Recovery Girl,” he said with a bow of his head.

“Young Todoroki, are you going to the pro-hero briefing?” asked All Might.

Guiltily he declined. “No. I already sat through one…I need to go home.”

“I understand.” The Symbol of Peace squeezed his arm with nothing but compassion. Shouto moved past them without another word needing to get out. Be alone and away from this place.

He checked his phone as he strode out of the police station.

Seven missed calls.

Twelve text messages.

Heart throbbing he checked the call list. Three from his father. Two from Dojire. One from his mother. And One from Aves.

He couldn’t bring himself to look at the text messages right now so he locked his phone and dropped it into his pocket.

“Shouto.”

He nearly made it out. He was at his car—dropped off last night by Dojire—about to climb in and escape the overbearing attention from everyone and everything but his father had found him. Slowly he turned.

“What do you want, Endeavor.”

A flicker of flame danced around his features. “I heard about the attack. Has there been any news?”

“They’re having a pro-hero briefing upstairs. Why don’t you go upstairs and find out for yourself?” He opened his car door; Endeavor grabbed it, not letting him open it far enough to get in.

“I’m asking you.”

“What’s the difference.” Shout’s patience were quickly evaporating. There was no buffer of rest, food, or l—...Love. Pain streaked across his chest.

Endeavor saw the flicker of emotion across the two-toned eyes, a rare glimpse into his son. “I…I’m sorry my son.”

Don’t.” He spoke through clenched teeth. “Don’t you dare say that like she’s gone for good.”

“Is it so hard for you to hear something other than the worst when I speak to you?!” Endeavor quietly demanded. “I came here to help.”

“Then go help!” Shouto snapped. “And stop acting like you’re in any way affected by this! Stop pretending like you’re not basking in the revelry of her disappearance.”

There it was. Patience gone. He shoved his father’s hand off of the door and climbed in without another glance at the old man. It wasn’t until he was driving away that he caught one more glimpse of Endeavor, still standing in the parking lot with his fists clenched as he stared at the ground.

Shouto couldn’t think about him right now. The old man wasn’t worth sparing any thought or feeling for when everything he had needed to be directed at finding Ani.

He called Dojire who had a dozen questions ready and waiting. Other heroes and staff of his agency were babbling in the background and he knew they were all anxious to hear, too. Dojire put him on speaker phone and he answered everyone’s questions with as little irritation as he could manage. This was a very informal team-briefing, he knew, but it was all he could manage right now. He was already on the way out of Musutafu and he assured them he would be in the office as soon as he could. He needed to go home to change at the very least.

Once he was off the phone with his team he silenced his phone. He made it home on auto-pilot, lost in thought and not as focused on the road as he should have been. But he made it home. He was here.

At their front doorstep.

He stared at the small, delicate handwriting that had begun to wear off:

Love lives here

Fuck.

How the hell was he going to get through this.

Deep inhale.

He opened the door.

Deep exhale.

He gently stepped over the threshold and felt the emptiness of the apartment threaten to swallow him. Each step brought him past a memory, each place tied to a special moment.

By the time he made it to the bedroom he thought he was going to collapse from grief.

There was no way…

And yet he knew she wouldn’t be there.

The bedroom was as empty as the rest of the place. No snoring rolling out of the bed in time with a rise and fall of the blankets. No shower running from the bathroom muting the sound of her carefree singing.

He nearly stumbled to the bed where her hoodie still laid. Tears formed at the corners of his eyes and his hands shook as he picked it up and pressed the fabric to his face. Slowly, he sank to his knees, burying his face in the garment and hid his sobs from the world.

Chapter 48: Reduced

Chapter Text

Shouto was aware of the high standards he set for his agency, gaining a reputation for being one of the toughest workplaces. Despite the lofty demands he made, his staff stayed with him and worked hard time and time again. And it was during a time like this that he was reminded of how amazing they really were. The administrative staff offices were balancing overtime schedules, hour limitations, equipment management, all of it without missing a beat. For the past twenty-four hours they had organized themselves into a constant-running machine that kept the rest of his agency functioning without restriction.

His sidekicks had already pooled their efforts in patrolling Dagoben, connecting with other agencies in Mustuafu for updates, and collaborating on ways to put their own quirks to the best use to help find Ani. He was not surprised at their level of dedication to bring her back. She had affected everyone in the agency, saving a countless number of lives and limbs throughout her time with them, as well as treating any of their non-life-threatening illnesses. He was moved by their passion to find her and it made him open to ideas he wouldn't normally consider.

When Aves asked to convert an area of the roof to a bird sanctuary he didn’t hesitate to grant her half of the entire roof so birds could come and go freely. He didn't care about the superficial image of the building. It was more important to spread their search far beyond any reach they had before.

Flora quietly informed him there was a weed-growing solution she could apply in the shadows of Dagoben to create a city-wide network for reconnaissance. She admitted there was a good chance the weeds could get out of hand very quickly but he approved it, sending her to their legal department first. That would improve their ability to search within the secret veins of the city.

Anything.

Everything.

Whatever it took to bring her back.

Unwelcome in his mind, Bakugo’s words wouldn’t leave him alone…what these assholes aren’t capable of doing. He didn’t know what that meant, exactly. And no one had heard from the ash-blonde except for Kirishima who could only confirm the explosive pro was alive. The group text his former classmates shared frequently pinged with updates that could be useful of any kind. He noticed that Bakugo never responded to anything but he didn’t leave the group chat like previous times. It made Shouto wonder what the ash-blonde was doing…did he really insist on not helping because Ani didn’t reciprocate his feelings? Or…was he really off on his own, doing god knows what…

Shouto had concerns for his fellow pro who was known to be reckless, especially when he was worked up whether he admitted it or not, and he wanted to know what Bakugo was doing. He didn’t like the idea of a wild card roaming around unchecked in the underground. Dojire was the solution. Loyal and composed. Connected and able, he accepted the task of keeping tabs on the number three pro.

Shouto himself was out on patrols, meeting with various levels of police from around Dagoben, as well as fielding phone calls from various precincts across other major cities. He was going to leave no stone unturned.

Sooner than he expected, Dojire had news.

“Strip clubs.” Shouto stared at Dojire flatly. “He’s been visiting…strip clubs.”

Dojire nodded. “I know he doesn’t care about his image but really…it’s kind of alarming the number he’s been to over the past few days.”

Shouto rubbed his forehead. “For fuck’s sake. Has he lost his mind? Is it stress-relief?” He looked to his assistant for answers where there were none.

“I don’t know, but he’s gone through almost all of them in the city.”

“Which ones has he not been to yet?”

 

 

Shouto couldn’t believe he was doing this. There were two places left that Bakugo hadn’t visited yet and it was a toss-up of which one he would be visiting. By Dojire’s reports it sounded like he would probably visit both. Dressed in jeans and a black hoodie, worn out running shoes, a black cough-mask and large black sunglass, he lingered in the shadow of a building. He could clearly see the plain gray door of the club and caught a glimpse of the flashing lights and pounding music whenever someone entered. He also saw the machamp-looking fucker just inside checking IDs.

When—not if—Ani made it back he wanted to be able to stand before her without a smudge on his conscious. Nausea rolled through him at the thought of going in there. Maybe he wouldn’t have to. Maybe it would just be a matter of waiting until the club closed and Bakugo never showing up. He had covered every identifiable feature of himself and chosen the plainest clothing he could find but he still feared someone recognizing him.

Great.

Here they go.

Bakugo stalked down the block in street clothes but had not gone to nearly the same lengths as Shouto to conceal his identity. The hood of his black zip-up was already falling off his head, fully revealing his face and the front of his symbolic hair.

Sure enough, he went inside. Before the door swung shut Shouto was crossing the street, pulse racing.

A pair of grubby looking college-age dudes stepped up to the door before him and he shadowed them inside.

“Oi,” the bouncer called for their IDs. “You even old enough to be in here?!” He loudly demanded. The two guys offered their IDs and were waved in after dropping a couple bills in one of the gray man’s hands.

“And what about you?” He asked Shouto, giving him a once-over with a skeptical glare.

Shouto tried to drop his voice. “First time.” He slid a large bill into the bouncer’s hand who raised an eyebrow at him.

“Yeah. Lotta dudes don’t want anyone to know who they are, 'specially the first time. Once you start coming enough the risk wears off. You’ll get used to it.” He slapped Shouto on the back and the pro clenched his jaw. He didn’t like being fucking touched, let alone hit as if he was a table, but there were more important things.

He followed the shadow of the room scanning for Bakugo. Every one of his senses were overwhelmed. The smell was vile; sweat and sickly-sweet perfumes rode the waves of smoke clouds. Music played so loud people had to lean into each other and speak their words right into each other’s ears. Lights were flashing, strobing, constantly shifting. There were too many people. From the overly relaxed, drunk and high, to the sinister shadow dwelling creeps, the crowd was churning as the dancers changed and a new round of semi-dressed women took to the platforms.

On the other side of the packed room he caught a glimpse of Bakugo’s hair as it wove through the crowd following someone. He paralleled their movement, trying to stay with them. Bakugo slipped behind a thick, black curtain that melded into the wall perfectly. Shouto kept his eyes on that spot as he made his way around the action with his head down. He fended off a few eager shot girls with some brightly colored, fizzing tubes and finally made it to the spot. He glanced around, making sure no one was there to stop him, and disappeared behind the heavy fabric.

Immediately the atmosphere changed. The music was muted. The air was stale. Dim lights lined the dark hallway marked with alcoves, more dark curtains, and doors. Soft giggles and rough sounds bubbled out from various rooms but none of them sounded like Bakugo. A woman dressed in lingerie led a dazed man back toward the club and looked Shouto up and down as they approached. He ducked inside the empty room closes to him.

Well. Almost empty.

“Hey, get the fuck out!” Someone snapped as he closed the curtain.

He froze. Of all the rooms.

He turned to see Bakugo stepping out of the dark corner defensively, hands already clenched into fists.

Shouto looked around, making sure they were alone as best as he could tell.

“You better back the fuck up,” Bakugo snarled. He set off an small explosion as Shouto’s hand reached up but the flames went out as Shouto pulled off his sunglasses. “What the fuck are you doing here?!”

“What the fuck are you doing here?!” He snapped back, keeping his voice much lower than Bakugo’s who looked…almost concerned.

“Dude, get the fuck out. Now.” He got in Shouto’s face with a gleam in his eye, ready to explode.

“Not until you tell me what the fuck you’re doing here.” He pulled his face mask down. “Are you having some sort of mental breakdown?! Why the fuck are you going to all the strip-clubs in this city?!”

“Fuck off, before you ruin everything.” Sweat glistened across Bakugo’s body with his growing anger.

“What—”

A light blinked in the back of the room.

“Goddamnit. Put your fucking shit back on.” He shoved Shouto’s hands up toward his face.

“What? Why?”

“Just fucking DO IT!” He nearly did it himself but the heterochromatic hero pulled his mask back up and slipped his glasses on the moment they heard a click. A door opened from a wall in the back of the room and a sugary voice sounded.

“Hi there, sorry that took so long,” a dark-blue haired woman sashayed into the room wearing a corset and stockings and Bakugo immediately stiffened. Shouto noticed the change in his posture.

“Oh,” she gasped flirtatiously as the door closed behind her. “I—I’m sorry,” she blinked dramatically. “They didn’t tell me there’d be two of you…” She bit her lip playfully as she glanced back at the wall but Shouto saw the real apprehension in her eyes and understood there was more going on here.

Bakugo had been searching for this specific person. He stared her down. “We’re only here to talk.”

Somehow this made her look more nervous than the idea of being two-timed. “Oh, what about?” She wrapped her arms around herself pushing her boobs up in a failed distraction. She was backing toward the door.

“Shida Ani.”

Shouto’s heart stopped as his eyes flashed to Bakugo who was still staring at this woman.

“Ehe he,” she grimaced. “And who is that?”

“You fucking know who that is,” seethed Bakugo.

“Really…I don’t…is she a friend of yours?” The indigo-haired woman stepped back nervously. “Did she work here or something?”

Bakugo stepped forward following her movement. “No?” He pulled a picture out of his pocket, Shouto caught a glimpse of Ani as he turned it to the stripper.

She recognized her.

In that moment ice flashed around the room sealing both doorways and dropping the temperature dramatically. “You’ve seen her,” Shouto snarled.

“O-only on the news,” the woman waved her hands in front of herself. “I-I swear.”

Shouto felt it in his gut. She knew. She had seen something. Been a part of something.

“Where is she,” demanded Bakugo. He looked like he was about to cross some serious lines.

“I don’t. Know.” She glowered back at them. “Now either get rid of this ice and let me go or fucking pay-up to play.”

Shouto ripped his mask down, losing his patience at this clear lead on Ani but Bakugo grabbed his arms before he could pull away his sunglasses.

“Leave them on,” the ash-blonde muttered. “Her quirk has something to do with her eyes.”

“Ohhh,” the woman crooned, overhearing the comment. “So you’ve heard of me…what, a couple of big, bad pro-heroes looking to rough up a woman because they heard some stupid rumor?”

“What rumor?” Shouto posed.

She laughed. “I don’t know. I’m just assuming.”

“Stop playing dumb,” Bakugo barked sounding as fed-up as Shouto felt.

“Stop playing desperate.” She started to turn back to the wall as if there was a place to go. “You’re barking up the wrong tree.”

In an instant a band of ice shot up and wrapped around her hands, trapping her in place.

“I’m tired of these games,” Shouto growled. “Where. The Fuck. Is Ani.”

“I already told you I don’t know.”

“You think you’re going to get off the hook with a technicality.” Shouto smirked at her expression. “I believe you don’t know her geographic location…I’m assuming they brought you to her with a warp-gate right?” He saw the truth in her eyes. “So yes, you may not now exactly where she is but you’ve seen her, haven’t you? Since she’s been kidnapped.”

Silence fell over the room.

“You know something…have done something since she’s been kidnapped?”

Again the woman refused to answer. Bakugo slowly leaned over her, making her jump as he spoke.

“I have to admit, I admire your resolve…but I’m starting to get pissed off. And I’m starting to wonder how much I could get away with as a pro.” He sneered “do you think the people who run this place will protect you? Do you think they give a damn about some piece of trash like you?”

“I’m not a piece of trash,” she said through gritted teeth.

“Of course not,” Bakugo jeered. “That’s why the league of villains asked for your help but dumped you back here at their leisure…isn’t it? Because you’re not trash.”

“What do you want with me?” She spat.

“We just want to know what you saw or what you did with Ani,” said Shouto.

She stared down at him through his sunglasses and it looked like she was straining. Bakugo gripped her hair and yanked her head back.

“I don’t want to wait any longer. You can stop trying to use whatever fucking quirk it is you have.”

“Then just kill me,” she relented and closed her eyes in defeat.

Shouto’s brow furrowed and he held up a hand to stop Bakugo from getting any rougher. He demanded “why?”

“Because if you don’t the Absolved will.” Tears began to leak out. “If they find out you were here they’ll assume I told you everything and kill me no matter what I say.”

Bakugo and Shouto exchanged a glance. They stayed silent as the girl began to cry.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t want to, I really didn’t want to.”

“Cut the act.” Bakugo rolled his eyes.

“What did you do?” Shouto asked, sensing the girl’s genuine regret as despair sank in his stomach. “What did you do to Ani?”

“They made me, okay!” She sobbed. “They made me do it!”

“What did they make you do?” Shouto stared at her, patiently waiting. “What can you do with your quirk?”

She met his eyes through the dark shades of his lenses as snot dripped down her nose joining the rivers of tears.

“I make people forget.”

Horror bloomed in Shouto. “What do you mean you make people forget? Forget what?”

“Whatever I want them to,” she sniffled. Bakugo cursed under his breath.

Shouto could barely force out the words. “And how much…did you make Ani forget?” His eyes grew wide. “How much did you take from her?”

The woman’s eyes pleaded up at Shouto. “I…” Tears rolled freely down her cheek.

“How much did you take from her?!” Bakugo nearly shouted. The woman flinched.

“I was supposed to take everything…Mom wanted her to be a clean slate.”

“Mom?” Shouto asked. “Do you mean Hogo Sareta?”

The woman nodded weakly. “Yes…”

“But you didn’t?” Shouto asked with a glimmer of hope.

The woman shook her head. “Her mind…it didn’t let me. As soon as I started pulling the threads out and removing her memories…her mind…” the woman was a loss for words. “I don’t know how to describe it…her mind…it held tight to memories like…like a flood washing away dirt and mud but leaving behind the rock that’s too strong to be worn away.”

A glimmer of hope flared. Her regeneration. Maybe it was able to prevent this woman from erasing everything they shared.

He asked “How much…did you take from her?”

She met his two-toned eyes earnestly. “Years.”

“Years…” his voice was tentative “years of her time with…”

“You.”

The hope was extinguished almost as quickly as it had appeared. Shouto clenched his fists. “Does she remember who I am at all?”

The woman nodded. “I couldn’t erase you from her memory, no matter how hard I tried. The Absolved threatened to kill me and the best I could do for them was to alter what I couldn’t remove.”

Shouto glared at the woman. “How does she remember me.”

Sagging against her ice restraints, the woman was looking more and more exhausted by the moment. “She thinks you’ve only been together a couple of months.”

“And how does that help the Absolved?” demanded Shouto.

Again, the woman turned her pleading gaze up to Shouto, asking for forgiveness. “They’re going to try to convince her that you don’t actually love her. That you’re not going to come for her…and... they’re going to try to convince her to help them...to turn her against you for abandoning her.”

Shouto covered his face feeling like he was going to explode.

Years.

Years.

Their memories. Their times together.

Shouto felt his heart palpitate at the devastating implications of this situation and he clutched his chest.

It was like his life had been taken from him.

No. Not his life.

Ani’s life, their life together, had been taken from her.

“What, exactly, does she remember.” He glowered down at the trembling woman. “And how does she remember it?”

 

~

 

Shouto, identity fully concealed again, stumbled out of the club as the bouncer chuckled.

“Rough first time, eh?”

He felt like he was going to vomit. There was barely anything left of their time together. A few years reduced to a few weeks.

He was mortified and waited until he was a few blocks away before he sank to the ground in the shadows. Bakugo quickly caught up to him.

“Come on, dude, we can’t stop here.”

“I just need a minute,” Shouto panted.

Bakugo kept glancing up and down the dark street and said “fuck it.” He took a seat next to his rival on the ground.

“So this is…pretty messed up…” he said aloud.

“Years,” said Shouto, voice saturated with everything lost.

Bakugo chuckled but held his tongue. After all, he had shared memories with Ani that were lost now, too. “Think of it this way…at least she remembers us at all.”

Shouto let out one rough, weak laugh. “Looking on the bright side.”

“I’m made of explosions,” he grinned snarkily. “I am the bright side.”

Shouto leaned his head back and stared at the stars hoping, wishing, wherever Ani was that she was alive. And still had some memory of how much he loved her, no matter how small.

 

Chapter 49: Abridged

Notes:

*NSFW*

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Shouto couldn’t make it more than a few steps into their apartment before he had to lean against a wall and sank to the ground.

So much of their time was erased from her memory.

If what that woman from the club said was true, then Ani remembered how they met and many of their firsts...but there were so many things forgotten. That woman had condensed everything and he tried to think of what he was feeling during those times Ani would remember as if he could rewrite their own history in his mind, too. He wanted his memory to match hers, for her not to be alone in this but his heart wouldn’t let his mind forget anything.

From the weeks they spent talking over text and hanging out while she still worked at the hospital, getting to know each other to getting ready for this past gala and everything in-between. It was all too valuable to ever forget.

He remembered the change in her life when Bakugo was hurt and her secret began to be uncovered. She didn’t resent Shouto or blame him for anything that happened, reassuring him time and time again that she never regretted saving him, any of it. He expected her to distance herself from him once the hospital began disciplinary proceedings. The process had been long and tedious for her but she put up with all of it. She insisted everything was for the better, that she wouldn’t trade their relationship for any struggle in the world.

Even that night she was attacked in the park. And Bakugo was the one who saved her...he expected her to flat-out refuse to see him when he found out it was his fans that had hurt her. But she didn’t. She still wanted him by her side and still wanted to be by his.

He admired how true-to-herself she had been in quitting. She didn’t want to be used and stuck up for herself, even though it meant having to find another job. Her abilities as a nurse spoke for themselves when she already had two job offers before he remembered their conversation weeks prior about how an in-agency clinic could benefit his agency. She was hesitant; she didn’t want to be seen as riding his coattails or using him. It had taken a great deal of convincing from his staff that it wasn’t just Shouto who wanted her there.

His stomach flipped remembering the events just after she had accepted the position. He couldn’t imagine how she still wanted to be with him, work with him, after every last shred of her life was ripped open. His brother. His father. It was like his family and his name was a curse and fate had set-out to destroy her from the moment he entered her life. No matter what she went through, the night terrors, therapy, he stood by her through it all. How could he not? He had never felt such admiration and love for another person before. Or from another person. He wasn’t sure he was worthy of what she went through for him but he wasn’t going to deny their feelings. She loved him. And he loved her.

She was determined not to let her attackers derail her life. She went through with the clinic at his agency. And once she started working? The agency changed. They began to truly feel like a family. His administrative and hero staff got to know Ani over time and came to rely on her for everything they might need. They grew to care for her and helped her through everything she faced in recovering from the attack.

He had wondered if she ever used her blood in her work but he decided he didn’t want to know. It was her clinic. She was free to do as she saw fit.

Her success in establishing and running the clinic did not go unnoticed. There were multiple people who approached her with job offers but she always turned them down. He was grateful Midoriya never tried to poach her. Though Shouto knew he was her favorite hero, he also knew she had a long-time admiration for Deku and it would’ve been a tempting offer.

The most surprising person interested in Ani was Recovery Girl. She and Ani had met at Ani’s first UA gala and Recovery Girl always seemed to check in with Ani periodically. A quick phone call or email. Sometimes even a personal visit to meet with her fellow healing hero. And Recovery Girl always sought Ani out at the UA gala. For three years Ani had gone with him to the gala, building her own connections and reputation among the hero community beyond Recovery Girl. She enjoyed the galas and he had grown to like them, too, after going with her. She insisted on wearing that same white gown she wore to the first gala...after the first year, he stopped trying to fight it. He wanted to spoil her but she wouldn’t let him. She wasn’t bothered by the gossip columns that spoke poorly of her choice, there would be no other gown design she wanted to wear than the one that represented him. From what it sounded like...Ani’s memory retained almost all of the first gala and the woman blended the fateful events of the most recent onto the memory of their first.

He sighed, staring at the ceiling of their apartment and began thinking about their time in this home together. When she moved in, it felt right. He remembered talking with his mother about it and looked back at his concerns about moving too quickly with humor. What had he been worried about? They fit together like master-crafted wood joints. Strong and perfectly matched. He wondered if she would still feel that way about their relationship. It had been like spring blooming as her presence appeared in the apartment over their long time here together. His eyes roamed the space seeing her books mingled with his. Her reading blanket draped over the couch and book on the coffee table as if she was in the bathroom and was going to come right back and pick up where she left off. She wouldn’t remember anything she had read of it now. Just like everything else. Nearly every other detail of their time together, save for the abridged version that couldn’t be erased from her mind, was gone. All of it, gone.

No.

Not gone.

He remembered what had been taken from her, at least everything from his perspective, the way he had seen it. And he wouldn’t risk forgetting. He hurried to his feet and ran to their bedroom to find his computer.

 

~

 

Bakguo laid limply on the sofa in his apartment. He stared at the plain white ceiling as that woman’s words echoed painfully in his mind.

She had looked at him directly, unquestionably confirming what he didn’t want to ask aloud.

You were in her memories, too. Things I couldn’t erase.

He wanted to know exactly which memories Ani could still remember but that goddamned icy-hot dumbass was having a mental breakdown and rushed out of the club, barely thawing the woman before they left.

Bakugo’s mind was churning. It was infuriating not knowing what she would and wouldn’t remember. He had been an ass for a long time. And it wasn’t until he confessed his feelings for her that he finally calmed down around her. She rejected him, sure. But it was so...civil. He didn’t expect to still be friends with her after that. To have his feelings only grow after he knew how she felt.

She was firm with him, steadfast in her relationship with Shouto...though it infuriated him...it also infatuated him. She didn’t react to him like other people did. She wasn’t easily annoyed by his boisterous nature. Didn't admire his strength or try to put him down for his arrogance. She just...let him be. It was unnerving and it was why he kept coming around. He guessed it was the years she spent in the ER that trained her to see through the thick emotions of a situation and focus on what needed to be done. To cut through his bullshit without malice and be direct.

The possibility that she wouldn’t treat him the same way...that all she would remember were the horrible things...it was eating him alive.

His eyes closed as his muscles flexed and again appreciated her abilities as a nurse as a memory floated to the surface of his mind.

 


"Come on,” she said as she dragged him past security, applying pressure to his bleeding arm. Once they were in the elevator she demanded “what the hell happened?”

“I...” he avoided her eyes. “Lifted too much weight and snapped the cable.”

She rolled hers. “I don’t know if that’s what really happened but this is a serious injury, Bakugo.” She pulled him down the hallway and through the doors of her clinic. “If you weren’t already on our doorstep, I would have made you to go the ER.”

“You’re an ER nurse, aren’t you?” he challenged. “You should be able to do this no sweat.”

She sighed as she brought him into the surgical room. “Yeah, but this isn’t a walk-in clinic.”

She made him sit and took the hand on his good arm; he hoped she didn’t notice how his pulse raced at the contact. “Hold this, here,” she instructed and began quickly moving through the room preparing to do his stitches. His eyes followed her, glancing away when she returned to the table.

Once the tourniquet was in place and the blood flow slowed, she moved his good hand and began inspecting the wound. Her brows furrowed in concentration as she worked and Bakugo couldn’t help the heat that creeped into his face at her proximity. With all of her attention on his arm he could look over her face without making her feel awkward.

“Is icy-hot going to give you a hard time for this?” he asked quietly. She glanced up, not noticing his blush, and shook her head.

“No,” she smirked. “But he’ll probably send you a bill.”

Bakugo scoffed “tch, what is he? Your pimp?”

Her eyes flicked up to him with a wide shock that made him worry he crossed a line...until her shock spread into a smile and she broke into laughter. He could feel every undulation of the laugh from her hands paused in their work but still holding onto him. He felt his whole body heat up at the sound and sight of her laughing so hard from him.

“I’ve—” she gasped for air between laughs “I’ve never heard it compared to that before.” She wiped a tear away on her shoulder and chuckled a few more times with the shake of her head.

He was blushing deeply now, corner of his mouth lifted, as he soaked in every moment. “Yeah...well...just make sure he doesn’t get too controlling of your time.”

“Thank you for being concerned for me,” she said with a smile “but I have nothing to be worried about.”

She sank back into focus and he let his eyes roam over her. She was wearing light blue scrubs that hid most of her figure but he could still see the shape of her breasts and he felt himself throb. He wanted to know what they would feel like. Taste like. She faintly smelled of vanilla and he wondered if it was her shampoo...or a perfume...lotion? His mind wandered over her body wishing he could splay her out on the table and go over every inch of her until he figured it out.

Too much was left to his imagination. Everything was covered except for her arms, her collarbone, and her neck. He felt more blood rush between his legs when he thought about kissing the planes of her neck. It would be so easy; she was so close. He could just...lean in and press his lips to her soft, smooth looking skin. His breaths became heavy, ragged as he considered the possibilities and he was cringing from the fabric of his shirt dragging over his sensitive nipples with every rise and fall of his chest. He gritted his teeth and clenched his fist.

“I’m almost done,” she said reassuringly.

He glanced at her face and saw she misread his discomfort. “It’s fine. It doesn’t hurt that much.”

“I wasn’t talking about your stitches,” Ani said quietly, deft fingers never faltering.

He stared at her and felt his cheeks warm even more. Defensively he demanded “what are you talking about then?”

“I’m making you nervous, aren’t I?” guessed Ani without meeting his eye. It was a tentative assumption without haughtiness or pride.

In a hoarse whisper, looking away, he said “I didn’t think it would be this bad.” After he confessed his feelings and she rejected him he expected his heart to start changing, to start seeing her as a friend who only saw him that way, too. But in the months that had passed, he couldn’t; nothing changed. And it was driving him mad.

The stitches were finished and she was cleaning off the rest of his blood. It hurt but the pain of his injury was not nearly as bad as the longing.

“Why did you let me in?” His voice was rough with everything he was feeling and couldn’t say.

“You were hurt. You needed help,” was her simple answer. “Were you hoping there was more to it?”

“I’m not stupid.” He forced a lump down in his throat and answered again. “I didn’t want to.”

“I don’t think you’re stupid for feeling that way,” she offered. “We can’t control how we feel. I asked because I didn’t want you to leave with a false hope. I don’t want to lead you on.”

“So you do care about me?” He gave her a cheeky grin and she laughed.

“Of course, I do—”

“I know, I know. Just not in the way I want. You’re all Shouto’s.” He crossed his arms and sucked in a tight breath as the flexing of his muscle stretched his skin and pulled at the stitches. She frowned at him.

“Okay, obviously you need to be careful with this arm.” She listed off the ways to care for the injury and stitches and wrote him a referral to meet with a doctor the next day and have it re-examined.

“Take it easy for a while until it heals properly.” She stared him down. “I mean it.”

“Okay, okay!” He held up his hands defensively.

"Let me know what the doctor says tomorrow.” She turned, starting to gather her supplies to clean up.

Bakugo hesitated with his back to her. “Shida...”

She looked up at the unusual softness to his voice. “...yes?”

“Thank you for taking care me,” he forced out the words.

“Of course,” she smiled though he couldn’t see.

“No. I mean...” his back tensed. “Thank you for everything.” Ani stayed quiet as she sensed how hard it was for him to say what was on his mind right now. “I...I’m not a gentle or a kind person. I never have been, never saw the point.” He opened and closed his fists. “But I at least understand how much of an asshole I’ve been before this...I’m sorry...For being that way. And not thanking you sooner...for...helping me.”

“Of course, it was only a few stitches, Bakugo—”

“No.” He cut her off. “I mean before. At the hospital...thank you for...saving my life...I’m sorry that...all that shit happened because of me.”

“Like what?” Ani stared at the back of his head, confused.

“Like all of this!” He turned around sharply gesturing around the room. “If I didn’t fuck up that day you never would have had to save me! No one would have known about your regeneration and your life would’ve gone on just fine!” He was huffing out of flared nostrils.

“Everyone makes their own choices, Bakugo,” she said softly and he finally met her eye. “It wasn’t your choice that I saved you...it was mine. It was my brother’s choice to ask me. There is no one person to blame.”

"Even when you were attacked?” He challenged. “When those villains broke into your apartment using my face?”

Ani looked at him curiously. “I don’t blame you for that.”

“But,” Bakugo’s eyes narrowed. “That icy-hot asshole told me it was my fault you were attacked, because I didn’t tell anyone they got my blood.”

“Hmm, I never thought of it that way...” considered Ani for a short moment. “But...I still don’t blame you.”

“How?” He asked, mystified and angry.

Ani shrugged. “It wasn’t your choice they did what they did. Yeah, it might have been helpful to know beforehand but it’s not your fault I was attacked. They would have done it one way or another.” She could see he didn’t accept it. “I forgive you, Bakugo. For whatever guilt you’re holding against yourself, whether I think that guilt is justified or not. I forgive you.”

The anger that was usually always broiling and bubbling away inside of him stilled. He stared at her with something he couldn’t name as he fought every urge to close the distance between them and pull her into a hug.

“Thank you, Bakugo.” She looked at him with such appreciation it made his heart hurt. “You’re more kind than you realize.”

He turned before he lost the battle with himself and she bid him good-bye as she gathered the tray of supplies.

He watched her for a long moment through the glass of the surgical room doors and felt frustrated and validated and tense and calm all at once. Damn her. This was not the way he wanted to see her. He almost regretted coming here but the feeling of her fingers confidently caring for him and her words erasing all of his guilt was something he didn't want to forget. Ever.

“Bakugo,” a deep voice quietly called. The ash-blonde turned to see his white-red headed rival waiting in Ani’s office. They stared each other down. “What are you doing here, Bakugo?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know,” the hot-head spat. “Here to spy on your servant?”

Shouto’s two-toned eyes narrowed. “I was told that you walked into the agency bleeding profusely and was escorted to the clinic.”

“Sounds like you already know what happened. Don’t worry, I made an explosion so she knew it was me.” Bakugo walked away and Shouto followed him out. “Stalking me now, too?”

“No, I’m escorting you out of the building.”

“No need, I can find my way.”

Shouto stepped onto the elevator with him. “You’re a fellow top-pro hero. You should understand the privacy essential to running an agency.”

“Please, I’m not here to steal secrets.” Bakugo rolled his eyes. “What could you possibly have that I would want.”

“Aside from Ani? I don’t know and I don’t care. I don’t feel like putting my staff at risk by having you roaming around.”

“I wasn’t interested in harassing any of your goddamned lackeys alright!” Bakguo snarled, growing angry at his fellow hero’s implications. The elevator doors opened to the lobby. “I’m not a psychopath who enjoys torturing extras!” He stormed toward the security gate.

“Bakugo,” Shouto’s voice called out in warning. The number-three paused and looked over his shoulder. “Next time, go to the hospital.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Bakugo waved him off. “Send me a bill, asshole.”

Bakugo angrily crossed the lobby and went out onto the street. It was already night and despite the bustling crowds still milling around it was cold. Bakugo shivered begrudgingly in his black tank-top with one more glance up at the annoying Todoroki agency building, knowing she was still there somewhere inside.

He walked off into the night, heart lighter as he carried absolution with him.

 

~

 

 

Shouto worked through the night typing up everything he could remember from their time together. He couldn’t sleep; he was too ensnared by the need to write everything down. He only got up to make coffee so he could keep writing.

He kept his phone out on the table, scrolling through pictures to match the stories he was writing with as much detail as he could remember. He cursed himself for not taking more pictures—then he remembered their shared library. Like a gift from Ani herself, he found three-times as many pictures from her and he backed up all of them. As he made his way through them, he came across pictures of their vacation when he took her to the beach.

His family’s vacation home on a grassy hill, only a short walk up from the beach, with views of the ocean from nearly every window, especially the backside of the house which was just a wall of windows on both floors. Natural rocky outcroppings divided their stretch of private beach from the other areas of shoreline and natural foliage blocked their view of any other beach houses. Ani’s mouth had dropped and she was speechless for the entire tour of the house. He was actually worried by the time they made it to the bedroom to unpack.

 


“I...I just don’t even know what to say,” she answered hoarsely when he asked what was wrong.

His brow furrowed. “Do you...still want to be here?”

“Of course!” She assured him and rubbed her forehead. "I just can't imagine any place in the world nicer than this...” She sank forlornly onto the bed and he sat next to her.

“Why do you look so sad?”

She met his gaze earnestly. “Does it bother you...that I...that I’m from a different world? That I don’t come from a wealthy family?”

“No,” he answered without doubt. He brushed hair back out of her face. “Because it doesn’t matter what’s in your bank account...who you are as a person is more important to me than your family’s status.”

Her eyes shined at him. “I love you.”

They rested their foreheads against each other, eyes closed, and he whispered back “I love you, too, Ani.” They stayed like that for a long moment.

“Now,” he said pulling back with a warm smile. “Let’s get unpacked so we can relax.”

“Okay.” She smiled back glowingly at him.

They settled into the room and Ani wanted to see the beach. Shouto got ready in the bathroom and when he came out Ani was already in her bikini, enjoying the view from the balcony.

The sight of her so relaxed and content was worth the world to him. She turned her face to the breeze and sun and he saw it again: that smile. The same one he’d seen on their first date as she looked peacefully over the bay. He was glad to see it and even more so to know that he was the one who made it happen, again. His eyes roamed down her exposed skin and felt a deeper stirring in himself that made him think of other things they could do.

As if she felt his intense gaze upon her, Ani turned around and came back in the room when she saw him. Her eyes drank in his shirtless form. She was about to say something when she caught him looking down at the orange and pink swimsuit.

“Sho...?”

His eyes hungrily met hers and she blushed with understanding. He closed the short distance between them and his hands pulled her against his bare chest. His fingers spread across the soft, smooth skin of her back and he gripped her hips tightly to his as she cupped his face and met his mouth for a kiss that was parted with passion. It wasn’t long before he was delving inside to dominate her mouth while a hand snaked up in her hair and left her nowhere to go, not that she wanted to pull away. She was as aroused as he was, matching his tongue’s movements.

Not able to hold back any longer he grabbed her half-covered butt and lifted her off the floor. She wrapped her arms around his neck and legs around his waist to help him move them both to the bed. He held her tightly so she wouldn’t fall away from him as he leaned down and laid himself down on top of her. His covered dick pressed right up against her and she began to grind against him making him pulse with need. She was beginning to mewl softly into their kiss as he followed her movements. She broke out of the kiss to catch her breath as he trailed kisses down her neck and over the thin straps of her top. His lips made a line across her shoulder and she whimpered, craving his attention everywhere all at once.

He kissed back to the outside of her ear and lightly whispered “don’t ever wear this bathing suit or anything like it in front of anyone else.”

She pulled his face up to give him a small pout. “Since when did you become so possessive?”

“I have always been possessive of you...” He smirked cheekily. “But in this swimsuit? I don’t know if the women could keep their hands off of you.”

Ani’s face turned so red she covered it to hide her face from him. “Stop. I’m going to go change.”

“What? Why?” He asked, puzzled as she climbed out from under him.

She gave him a playfully grumpy face. “You’re making me self-conscious!”

“Ani, there’s no one else here,” he growled, matching her playful tone. She yelped as he jumped up and reached for her but missed as she darted around the corner of the bed laughing.

“Come here!” He laughed as he chased her to the other side and caught her before she could get any farther away. She was laughing so hard she couldn’t speak as he buried his face in her neck and nuzzled her bare skin.

“Hey!” She said breathlessly and still laughing. “Stop!! Okay, Okay! I get it. I’m all yours here!!”

He made a low chuckling sound of approval and smiled against her. “You’re all mine, everywhere.”

“Obviously,” said Ani with another light laugh. “I meant I’ll keep the bikini on...here...for you...” she was blushing again and met his eyes as the dark, wanton need returned to hers. He lifted an eyebrow at her.

“Well...” he pressed his lips slowly against the corner of her jaw and traced the tips of his fingers along the edge of the triangle of fabric over her breast. “You don’t have to keep it on right now...”

He could see her nipples hardening under the fabric, the slight bite of her lip, and slowly walked her back until her legs hit the bed and she fell with a gasp. She crawled backward away from him as he kneeled down onto the bed running his hands along her legs with two drastically different temperatures all the way up to her hips. He pulled her bottoms off. She almost folded her knees together but he kept them apart, wanting to see her pink folds wet and waiting for him.

He slid a warm finger over her slit and watched her eyes flutter closed at his touch. Knowing he would want to be inside of her very soon he quickly stepped back from the bed and dropped his own trunks. Ani sat up on her knees waiting patiently for him as she watched him undress. He was back on the bed with her, hands groping her uncovered butt and moving up to the ties of her top. It was tied so tightly he was having trouble undoing it.

“Need some help?” asked Ani playfully and Shouto’s eyes narrowed at her. His only response was to spin her around and look at what he was doing. Ani didn’t mind; she was happy to stare out over the ocean as his fingers worked to undress her. The string around her back fell limply and his hands slipped up under her suit. She moaned at the satisfying touch of his skin on hers. He began kneading her boobs and savored the way she squirmed in response, grinding her backside against his erection. He rubbed back against her.

“I love the sounds you make,” he whispered in her ear. She knew how much he enjoyed them but she liked to make him work for them. His fingers fiddled with her little buds and he could see her resisting. “Won’t you let them out for me?”

He gave them a light pinch. All he got was a strained “mnh.” He pinched them harder and she sucked in a tight breath.

“Come on,” he breathed, deep voice rumbling through her. He pulsed her left with heat and her right with cold. “I want to hear you.”

She let out a tentative moan that grew as he massaged the whole fleshy mounds, each with a different temperature. The pressure on her sensitive tips was finally beginning to build up a tension in her body and she couldn’t hold back the embarrassing sounds he was milking out of her.

“Sho, please...”

“Mm?” He sounded almost lazy, voice calmly betraying his own excitement as he leaked precum.

“Please...”

He wanted to hear her say it. “What is it you need?”

“I need you.”

“I’m right here.” He gave her breasts an exaggerated squeeze and she panted.

“No...not like that.”

He hummed deeply through her. “...I want to hear you say it.”

“Sho,” she protested weakly, losing the battle of wills against him. Whatever remained of her energy to not give in was quickly washed away when his warm fingers disappeared from her breast and reappeared between her legs. “I want you...t-to...” she let out another soft whine of protest before completely relenting.

“I want you to fuck me.”

He wasn’t able to claim any sort of victory as his own desire burned up his last bit of restraint. He pulled her legs apart and she bent down on her hands and knees in front of him, ass exposed and her tight hole ready and waiting.

“Please, Sho,” she begged. “Fuck me!”

It took one thrust to fully sheath himself in her warm, wet folds. His head fell back in satisfaction and they both moaned deeply together. She felt so tight. He made her feel so full. They panted for a few breaths until Shouto started pulling back out at a torturously slow pace. Ani wiggled trying to force him back in but the grip he had on her hips overpowered her efforts and he made her endure the agonizing, teasingly slow speed he was using.

“Ohhh,” she moaned when he finally started pushing back into her with a deep pressure that left her feeling stuffed from the angle.

Shouto softly said “you take me so well.” Ani whined at the praise and tried to rub against him for some kind of friction. When he had pulled almost all the way out he paused, keeping only the very tip of his cock at the entrance of her wetness.

“You’re mine, Shida Ani...” he stared down at her disheveled hair as she nodded.

“I’m yours, Todoroki Shouto...” she was breathless with want and need. “I’m yours, forever.”

He pushed back into her, slightly faster and she sighed with pleasure. He pulled out and pushed back in faster still, slowly building his pace as he thrust into her while keeping her hips in place.

“Oh god, Ani...you feel so good,” he groaned.

She leaned down, forcing her ass against his pelvis to meet his thrusts and gripped the sheets as he pounded sounds out of her. “Nnnggh! Mnngggh! Unghh! Ouuhhh!”

He was truly fucking her now, no longer pausing between each thrust as each motion blended into the next. Sweat began to form across his forehead and body as he rammed into her, punching the tip of his cock against her cervix over and over.

“Oh—Sh-Shouto!” He could hear her nearing her peak and he bent down forming himself against her as he propped himself up and reached a hand around between her legs. It only took a few strokes of her nerves to tip her over the edge. She came moaning his name and clenching down around his member with hot wetness that filled the room with sinful sounds. He shot his own hot fluids deep into her as her walls squeezed him. The rolling of their hips slowed and they slowly sank to the bed, Shouto still deep inside of her.

“I love you,” she mumbled with a happy glow.

He grinned and brushed a few hairs back from her rosy cheeks. “I love you, too, Ani.”

 

He had enjoyed that vacation very much, spending uninterrupted time together just hanging out, fucking, and relaxing. It was his favorite vacation of his life so far.

He wasn’t going to give up hope that he would find her and when she was safe and home he wanted to give her back as many memories as he could bring himself to write down. It was enough, thinking they would be back together soon, to keep him working through the night.

His fingers were aching by the time he finished. Though it was nearly dawn, the sun had not yet risen. His eyes swept over the still-dark and dazzling, moonlit city. He checked the clock. The sun would rise in about an hour...he leaned back in his chair, stretching his neck and cracking his back.

There was enough time to shower and have something to eat before he needed to get to the agency. It was going to be a nap-on-the-couch-in-the-office kind of day. He smiled, thinking of the times when he had come back to his office late at night to find Ani snoring on the couch waiting for him. On his way to the bathroom his phone rang, breaking his reverie. He hustled back to the table and saw his brother-in-law calling. At this time of the night—morning—it could only be something serious.

“Utsubei? What’s wro—”

I saw her.” The detective’s deep voice made Shouto’s mind freeze for only a moment before his heart began to wildly soar with hope. “Can you meet me at your office?

“Yes,” Shouto answered as he flew through his apartment to find his things. "When?”

Now. I’m already on my way from Musutafu.

“Thank you, Ustubei. I’m on my way there now,” he said.

Shouto—does that plant girl still work at your agency?

“Flora? Yes, why?”

Because we’re going to need her help.

Shout’s mind was already racing. He couldn't remember when Flora’s last shift was and if he should be calling her into the office at this hour or not. Ultimately, he knew that Flora would answer and come to help in any way she could.

“I’ll get a hold of her,” Shouto said. “I’m on my way to the office now.”

The elevator doors opened; he sprinted out, across the garage and climbed into the car closest to him.

 

~

 

Bakugo’s phone lit up and he rolled over feeling like a specter of rage. He snatched it off his desk. “What the fuck do you want you ass—”

Come to my agency. We have a lead on Ani.

Bakugo’s mind jolted awake and Shouto hung up before he could respond.

Notes:

I tried to clarify the reveal from the previous chapter. Did it work?

Also, I realized how long it had been since there was some action. Took the chance to slip that in while I could

Chapter 50: A Bag o' Bones

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ani’s body gently swayed back and forth.

She was barely conscious...was her body still real? It felt like she was being carried by death itself. As her vision blurred and focused back-and-forth she saw it was the next closest thing: Dabi. She wanted to ask him where the hell he was taking her but she couldn’t find strength enough to form the words. She felt...frail...weak. It wasn’t like the weakness from fatigue after regenerating. It was a deep weakness that left her soul rattling around what little was left of her. She shivered.

Dabi pushed a door open with his boot and the strange flickering light from a fire burned her eyes. She couldn't lift her arm to block it. Unceremoniously he set her down on a musty couch. She could barely see anyone else in the room but the dark shapes scattered about were enough to tell her they weren’t alone. One of the dark shapes separated itself from a chair and crossed the room. Her pathetic pulse limped, unable to race.

A wave of magenta came into focus framing a woman who looked only a few years older than Ani. Her face was calm, unmarked except for a scar that cut across her bottom lip.

“This is what you brought me here to see?” the woman’s voice demanded. She sounded irritated. Inconvenienced. “There’s nothing remarkable about this bag of bones.”

“This bag-of-bones hasn’t had food or water for five days,” noted Dabi. The woman looked up at him under raised eyebrows.

“Five days?” Her gaze turned back to what was left of Ani with raised eyebrows. “Now that’s impressive.”

Ani’s eyes fluttered. Someone else, an unfamiliar voice, said “five days?!”

“Yeah, what’s it to you?” Dabi snapped defensively.

The voice was directed at someone else. “Shigaraki, this person is a valuable resource. You’ve let Dabi push her too far.”

“No, this was a good test,” The magenta-hair said. “If she can bounce back from this...she can bounce back from anything.” She traced her lips as they grew into a malicious grin. “She’s exactly what I need.”

The woman stood up and several other shapes rose, joining her. “Finish breaking her in. I’ll be back to collect once she’s ready.”

A vaguely familiar dark purple mist appeared and the pink puff disappeared, her shadows following in suit.

“Put her back now,” a man lazily dismissed. “She smells awful.”

Dabi reached down to pick her up again but an ethereal being made of the same warp-gate mist held him back. “You’ve done enough.”

“Kurogiri...” the lazy voice interjected. “This is why I kept your clone for so long and sent you to Mom’s...He was a lot more relaxed.”

The ethereal mist—Kurogiri—leaned away and Ani heard him faintly say "how we treat her from now on will dictate her cooperation with us. Do you want her to assimilate, or not?”

Kurogiri must have heard what he wanted because he came over and picked up the weak woman.

“Seriously?” Dabi jeered.

Kurogiri began carrying her away and she couldn’t hear the words to the heated but quiet argument they were leaving behind.

“I’m sorry about them,” the mist said as he carried her away through a dark hallway. “They are extreme people by nature.”

Ani’s eyelids fluttered closed and her head fell limply against the surprisingly solid chest of the man. He jostled her slightly and she opened her eyes with irritation though her body was too weak to show it. He was carrying her into an old bathroom with faded, dusty decorations and a floor tiled with tacky black and white squares. With much more care than Dabi, Kurogiri gently put her down in the bathtub. She wanted to cringe or shudder from the cold, stained porcelain but couldn’t.

“Here, drink this,” he said as he offered her a cup of water.

Her hands flashed out with surprising speed and she chugged the water as if he might cruelly change his mind and take the cup back. She clutched the empty glass against her chest, feeling a tiny sliver of relief.

“Would you like some more?” He asked. Though she couldn’t see the features of his face, she guessed he was cocking an eyebrow at her from the shape of his flat, yellow eyes.

She nodded timidly and relinquished the glass when he reached for it. He turned back to her a moment later, full again. She took it eagerly and gulped it down, too. Her stomach sloshed feeling more full than it had in...well...she wasn’t sure how long it had been.

“Are you feeling better?” Kurogiri asked, taking the glass from her begrudging grasp.

She nodded. She couldn’t find the energy to speak yet but her body was quickly soaking up the water like a sponge. He could see the subtle shift in her breathing that seemed to come easier after the water.

“Good.” He reached for the bottom of her sweater dress and she weakly pushed his hands off. He looked at her pitifully. “The last thing I’m interested in is taking advantage of you right now. You need to be cleaned.”

Her exhausted blue eyes measured the non-existent features of his face and slowly, hesitantly pulled her own hands back. He pulled the dirty, soiled sweater from her gaunt frame. She shivered, wrapping her arms around her naked form and began to shake when Kurogiri started the water. The sound was overwhelming, like a train blasting through a station; it was the loudest thing she’d heard in days. She whimpered when the cold water splashed her feet and she pulled back as far as she could to the far end of the tub.

“It will get warmer. Give it a moment.” Sure enough the water began to warm and she inched closer to it. “Is that a good temperature?” He asked and she nodded. He plugged the drain and she scooched all the way down to feel the water and absorb the warmth.

She sighed, audibly. Kurogiri watched her closely as she closed her eyes and almost smiled. He stood and found soap from the cabinet behind the mirror. He kneeled back down by the tub and gestured with the soap; he asked “may I?”

She stared at him warily and shook her head no. She flinched expecting him to react harshly when, instead, he simply offered her the bar of soap. Again, she stared at him with an expectation of some other kind of treatment. She glanced down at his hand blurred by the constantly shifting mist that covered his entire body. She wasn’t ready to know what it felt like yet. Ani held out her hand. He dropped the soap into it and stepped back, sitting down on the toilet seat lid. It was clear after a few long moments that he wasn’t going to give her privacy to bathe.

She shifted so her back was facing him and let more water fill up the tub. She waited until the water was half-way up her body and her muscles were finally relaxing in the warmth. Slowly, she scrubbed herself over. The dirt washed off. The sweat washed away. Her body was clean. But it was still here. Trapped.

She started the water again, making it slightly warmer as she pulled the plug to drain the dirty water away. She was surprised Kurogiri didn’t rush her out of the tub when she let it fill up again with clean water. She kept her back to him, scrunched up in a ball, but relaxed and savored the moment for as long as she could.

“Ca-n I ha-ve more wa-ter?” She asked. Her voice cracked from not being used.

“Of course,” Kurogiri said and she heard him filling the cup again. She accepted it when it appeared in front of her and she offered back the empty cup without looking. It was taken from her hand. She sat in the tub, wrapped in warm water and quiet wondering if she would be given more clothes to wear. If she would be locked up again.

“Are you g-oing to put me ba-ck in that cell?” croaked Ani.

Kurogiri was silent but she could tell he was still there.

She hastily wiped away the few tears that fell from her eyes. “Please...I c-an’t go back in there.”

“What would you have us do instead?” He asked. “You can’t be given your own room.”

She sniffled, tilting her head back to stare at the ceiling. “I don’t know. Isn’t there some place else I can be?”

Kurogiri became quiet again.

“Just so I can sleep before that...that woman takes me...” Ani let out a soft sob and covered her face. The water rippled with her gentle movement.

His silence was answer enough.

“What does she want with me?” Ani asked quietly and turned to look at Kurogiri who was staring at her with his bright yellow and unrevealing eyes.

“It’s obvious enough.”

Ani’s face scrunched and she quickly turned away to hide her tears.

“You’ve had time to clean and replenish your energy. It’s time to get out.”

Her heart sank as the time was over too soon. Knowing he could force her out barely breaking a sweat, she pulled the plug out and waited a few moments longer before standing from the tub and covering her shivering form. Kurogiri wrapped a sinfully soft towel around her and helped her step out. She stood on the tile trembling as she dried off as best as she could. Kurogiri reached through thin air and pulled out a pair of warm sweatpants, a matching gray sweatshirt, and thick socks.

“Here.” He handed them to her unceremoniously and waited as she changed under the towel. She held onto the towel as if she would be allowed to keep it. She savored it’s plushy comfort for another second before Kurogiri took it and dropped it through a small warp gate. Not caring if she was ready he ushered her out of the bathroom. She stepped through the doorway and appeared in the cell again. Someone must have cleaned it because the bucket was no longer there and the smell was back to neutral. Well. Dank dungeon neutral. She paused, confused and turned to ask Kurogiri what happened and how they got here but there was only the intimidating wooden door. At least she wasn’t chained up this time...that was...something. Slowly she sank to the ground and curled into a ball finally able to cover her face enough to sleep.

Notes:

Over the past couple of days I just started reading the manga for the first time (I had only ever seen the anime and the first movie). I didn't realize Recovery Girl's quirk helps people heal by boosting their own natural healing abilities. I didn't mean for there to be that much similarity between my OC and RG!

Chapter 51: Show Us What You Can Do

Chapter Text

Something woke her up. She was still so drained she wasn’t quite sure which sense it was—hearing? Touch? No: smell.

Her eyes parted to find a small bowl of something that looked like oatmeal in front of her with the handle of a spoon sticking out. In a flash she was sitting, bowl in her lap, scarfing down the food. It was thick, mushy, lukewarm and she couldn’t tell if it was made from oats or rice but she didn’t care. It was food. And she ate all of it, licking the bowl completely clean before resting back against the wall.

She sighed, stomach feeling like a hundred pounds with real food in it. And slowly drifted off to sleep. When she woke again it was to the sound of the wooden door being pushed open and she stretched, feeling somewhat alive again. The bowl and spoon were gone. She looked up expecting to see Kurogiri again but she froze.

Dabi looked down curiously at her. “Well...aren’t you looking a little more human.”

She pursed her lips and looked away. “What do you want?”

“I was sent to check on you, since your little babysitter is out right now.” Dabi squatted in front of her and she leaned as far away from him as she could. She hated the appealing heat that rolled off of him. “Feeling better?”

She denied him an answer.

He clicked his tongue. “Come on, princess, if you’re not going to participate, we’re not going to play nice.”

Still she wouldn't look at him, respond to him.

“Geez,” he grumbled. “Kurogiri said you were going to be better after we fed you...do you need to be starved again?”

Her eyes flicked involuntarily to his face in panic and he smirked. “Guess that’s a no.” He took her chin in his hands and he tilted her head back and forth, inspecting her frail features. “How are you feeling? Hmm?”

She maintained eye contact but didn’t give him anything more.

His eyes narrowed. “I’m getting impatient. I don’t have the same level of...restraint that Kurogiri has.”

She clenched her jaw trying not to overthink what he meant.

“Are you really not going to speak to me?” He asked with a bored expression. “Are you still holding out hope that your heroes will come for you?” Her eyes gave away her lingering hope. And it lit a fire of rage in him. Flames danced up his arm sending heat rolling off him in waves. With glowing eyes of cyan death he slowly reached out to her neck and she cowered with no place to run. “You know...” he snarled as his fingers wrapped around her throat and began to draw her up from the floor. “They’ll be turned to dust by the time this is all over.”

She was weakly fumbling at his impossibly strong hand as he slowly cut off her air supply.

“Blown apart into nothing.” He pressed flames against her skin adding a depth of pain to his grip as he branded her neck with his hand-print. Tears streamed down her cheeks and she made garbled choking sounds. He began to smile, the corners of his mouth lifting in a sadistic pressure as he challenged her gaze. “Why not just join the winning side now?”

It was a rhetorical question.

He hadn’t expected an answer.

So when she somehow found a gasp of air she forced out one cracked word.

“Ne-ver.”

She stared back at him with conviction as he tightened his grip. He bared his teeth, prepared to rip her apart when they heard a scuffling out in the hall.

Muffled voices arguing intensely approached Ani’s door and they both looked to the door. It was shoved open and a group of people piled inside. They were frantically dragging the body of the purple-mist man and Ani saw a trail of black blood smearing the floor behind him.

“Dabi what the fuck are you doing?!”

“Get her over here!”

“She has to help Kurogiri now—someone shot him!”

The people were disheveled and shouting over each other as Dabi turned back to Ani and said “looks like it’s your time to shine, princess.”

He tossed her to the floor and she coughed, wheezing for air as Kurogiri was roughly laid in front of her.

“Fucking help him!” Dabi spat and went to kick her but the man with blue hair gave Dabi a death-glare.

“Hurt her in a way she can’t help him and I’ll kill you.”

Dabi set his foot back down and held himself back. Ani was still clutching her own throat, filling her air with lungs, when the blue-haired man squatted down on the other side of Kurogiri.

Ani felt her socks begin to soak with blood.

“If you fail to save Kurogiri,” the blue-haired man said. “I won’t give you to Mom. You’ll be Dabi’s to keep...all to himself.”

Ani met his manic, wide open eyes and knew it wasn’t an empty threat.

“Wha-t ha-pp-ened to him?” She croaked through an abused throat.

Blue-hair pulled up the hem of Kurogiri's shirt and Ani saw the oozing bullet wound. “He was shot...”

Ani’s hands were shaking. This was an opportunity, here. To let him die would mean she would belong to Dabi but it would also give the heroes a true advantage. It was obvious how crucial this warp-gate user was to anything the villains were trying to do.

He cracked his eyes, thin slits of yellow that were pale and drained.

They were the only eyes that saw her as a human being here. He was without a doubt the only person looking out for her basic needs. She didn’t want to be at the hands of Dabi and she didn't want to let her only potential ally die. She swallowed a lump of guilt down her throat.

Forgive me, Shouto.

“I need tools to help him,” Ani said quietly. Guilt and shame broiled her stomach as the pig-tailed girl who attacked her in her apartment dashed out of the room.

“Was he shot in the front or the back?” Ani asked as she began rolling her sleeves.

“The front,” someone answered.

“Lift him,” she directed no one in particular. “I need to see if there’s an exit wound.”

Two pairs of hands appeared and twisted Kurogiri’s body enough so Ani could see his back.

“Shit,” she muttered.

“What is it?” someone asked.

“The bullet is still in there.”

The creepy girl returned only a minute later. “A...first aid kit?” Ani gaped around at them. “Are you serious?!”

“Save him.” The blue-haired man stared at her. “Prove you’re worth keeping around for more than just your blood.”

A sour taste filled her mouth and she hated what she was about to do.

She shook her head and opened the kit finding a laughable amount of tools and supplies. She pushed the presence of the other people in the room out of her mind and felt muscle memory take over from the ER.

Plastic fucking tweezers. That’s all she had to find the bullet. And someone’s cellphone flashlight was all the extra light she was given. After the most frustrating few minutes she had experienced in a long time, she eased the small bullet out of Kurogiri’s body and dropped it on the ground.

She rummaged through the kit and found no supplies for stitching. Also no syringes, but she knew there wouldn’t be any.

“I need a sewing kit,” Ani instructed. “Or a needle and a fishing line. Anything I can use to close his wound.”

Dabi clicked his tongue. “We’re not a department store, sweetheart.”

Kurogiri’s weak voice was barely audible. “What do you need?”

Ani’s eyes flashed to him in concern. Holy shit this guy must be tough if he could be talking right now. “I need supplies to give you stitches. Or syringes so I can give you my blood.”

Kurogiri’s yellow eyes closed and he lifted a shaking purple hand that disappeared into thin air. He clumsily pulled out handfuls of random supplies and Ani suspected he was reaching into some doctor’s office that he happened to know. She rifled through the supplies he continued to drop and found what she needed.

“Okay, stop. Stop! I have what I need,” she insisted as she opened the syringe package and lined the needle up the vein in her own elbow. She winced at the piercing feeling in her papery veins and took long, slow deep breaths as she filled the syringe with her own viscous blood. The room was silent, enraptured.

Once she was satisfied with the amount she gently administered a small amount of her blood in several points around Kurogiri’s wound.

“Why is it not healing?” the blue-haired man asked through clenched teeth.

She glanced up at him, feeling drained. “It’s going to take longer because I can barely regenerate myself right now.” She made an angry gesture at her own throat that barely looked different.

“If you want to have a viable source of healing,” she remarked. “You have to take better care of me. My blood won’t do anyone any good if I’m weak.”

“Tch,” Dabi scoffed. “You’re just trying to take advantage of the situation.”

“No, it’s true,” the psycho-blonde pig-tails chimed in. “When I drank her blood before all of my injuries healed so quickly.”

“When did you drink my blood?” Ani asked, disgusted.

The other girl gave a bashful grin. “After we stopped by your apartment.”

Stopped by. Yeah. Right.

Ani turned her attention back to Kurogiri’s wound and gave him another dose of her blood. They all stayed like that, quietly watching Ani periodically give more and more of her blood to Kurogiri until the syringe was empty.

“SEE!” The psycho-blonde squealed. “I told you!”

And she was right. Everyone, except Ani, leaned in a little closer to watch the fibers of Kurogiri’s viscera and skin weave together from the inside-out and close the wound.

Ani exhaled a silent sigh of relief; she was worried her blood wouldn’t be able to help him after all. That relief was quickly washed away with nausea and regret.

What had she done?

 

 

They carried the sleeping Kurogiri from her room and Dabi tried to linger. The blue-haired man ordered him out.

“See you again soon, princess,” he said with a snicker down at her before he sealed the wooden door behind himself.

Ani retreated to the wall and sat staring at the massive pool of blood staining the stone in the center of her cell.

Her chest felt tight. What had she done?!

Would Shouto understand?

She pulled her knees up to her chest and rested her chin. Despair hollowed her heart and she chewed on her lip. This was bad. Quite possibly worse than she had realized in the moment. She just gave these villains back their strongest member and showed them just how much she could do. Her fingers twisted into her hair. Now they knew they could push themselves against the pros—against Shouto—and she would be here, their own personal healing prisoner. Tears fell soundlessly. She began rocking back and forth as panic threatened to drown her in the silence.

What had she done?!

Chapter 52: Company

Chapter Text

Ani had fell asleep curled up like a ball, clutching to herself, and awoke with a stiff body. Not to mention a kink in her neck that she tried to massage but couldn’t work out. Her eyes passed over the blood stain. So it hadn’t been a dream.

She sighed heavily feeling like there were no tears left inside herself. She kept drifting in and out of sleep in boredom until she heard a clinking sound at the door. It was being unlocked.

And opened.

She held her breath, fearful of who was coming inside, until the purple mist swirled and Kurogiri’s yellow eyes fell on her. They stared at each other.

“H-how are you feeling?” Ani asked tentatively.

Kurogiri placed a hand over his heart. “Much better, thank you for your efforts.”

Ani nodded in response as she watched him carefully. Something seemed off.

“I came to ask if you were hungry. Would you like something to eat and drink?”

She ignored the shame that twisted her gut; healing their wounds for food? Is that what this would be now? And nodded. “Yes. Please.” Her eyes fell to the floor.

A succulent smell filled the room and Ani’s mouth watered involuntarily. It was no stodgy bowl of gloop this time. Kurogiri placed a plate full of fresh, steamed fish and vegetables in front of her. He added a large glass of water and a bowl of rice, too.

Ani hesitated.

“Is something wrong?” Kurogiri asked. “Are you unable to eat this?”

“No!” she answered quickly and gulped. “I just...don’t understand why you’re being so nice to me.”

Kurogiri sat with formal posture in front of the opposite wall, looking at her over the bloodstain. “You saved my life.”

Her heart fell. Just like she suspected.

“So...I’m only going to be fed if I save someone’s life.” Her eyes fell sadly away from the food. She wasn’t sure why, exactly she wasn’t taking advantage of this moment.

“No.” Kurogiri stated. She watched him patiently waiting for more. His shrewd eyes narrowed at her. “You should eat. It’s getting cold.”

“What aren’t you telling me?”

The lemon color of his eyes held her gaze for a long time. “The version of me that you saved wasn’t this,” he gestured to his body “my original form. It was my clone.”

Ani’s eyes slowly widened at the dreadful implications of this. She was speechless.

“Though my clone was indeed injured, as you saw, the others wanted to use the opportunity to test your loyalty to us. We can easily make other clones so it was a low-risk situation, except for the clone itself.” He crossed his arms. “You could have let me die.”

Ani’s heart pounded with his words.

“And instead, you chose to save my life. Showing your allegiance to the heroes has finally faltered.” There was a faint trace of a smile across his shifting face. “I know there’s still a long way to go in building your trust and earning your faith in us but what you did for me finally showed the others you’re on your way to joining us.”

She slowly turned her gaze away from his face down to her food and she didn’t trust her voice to say anything.

“It’s clear to them—all of them—now that treating you with respect is the way to make that happen. Especially since you’re finally seeing the true sides of the heroes.”

Ani’s brow furrowed and she risked using her voice. It trembled but held calm. “Their true side?”

Kurogiri nodded. “You have been here for a long time. And no one has yet come to find you or rescue you. Professional heroes do what will benefit themselves the most in their popularity contest. Their rankings hold more weight than personal relationships and it is the wide-eyed believers who become fodder on their climb to being number one.

“So they are either terrible at what they do, which means their rating system is a farce. A superficial system to placate the general public into believing their government keeps them safe while, in reality, these so-called-heroes are instead just draining public resources. Or...

“They don’t care enough to try hard enough to find you. And I’m not sure which explanation you would be more disappointed in to know is the truth." Kurogiri took a deep breath and gestured to her food with a wave of his hand. “Now please. Eat. The food is already cooling and I’ve spent my own time preparing it for you.”

“Thank you,” Ani said quietly and bowed her head as her thoughts spun wildly out of control. She began to eat and shivered, savoring the other-worldly goodness to it after starving for so long. She knew it would be polite to pause and take a moment to properly thank him but she couldn’t stop eating. She cleared the plate. Emptied the bowl. Drained the cup.

She leaned back against the wall fully content and could feel her body ripping apart the contents of her stomach to fuel the regeneration of her malnourished body and burned neck.

She sighed. Almost happily. “Thank you. Very much,” she earnestly said.

“It is my pleasure.” He collected her empty dishes and put them away through a portal. “Consider everything I've said to you. Your heroes may no longer have your best interests at heart.”

He moved to the door that he’d left open the entire time. She hadn’t even considered trying to run.

“Kurogiri?” quietly Ani’s voice made him pause. He looked over his shoulder at her. “Is it daytime or nighttime outside?”

His eyes narrowed fractionally. “Nighttime. Why?”

“Can I...” She brought her knees nervously to her chest again. “Can I see the moon?”

“Why.” From his tone, she was surprised he was entertaining her request at all.

She wrapped her arms around herself, eyes falling to the floor. “When I was little...my mom told me whenever she was having a hard time she would look to the moon. Because no matter where she was, no matter what problem she was facing, all of our ancestors stood under that same moon.” Ani gave a frail smile. “She said it was like the ultimate shrine, always helping her make hard choices...

“I was just...hoping...” Ani glanced at his face and could already tell the answer was no. “...that I could have that same peace of mind.”

It became so quiet in the room Ani thought he had left until that eerie sound of a misty gate opened.

“You’re lucky I’m in a giving mood. Five minutes.” He glared at her. “Run? And I’ll cut you in half.”

Ani’s face blanched, stomach flipped. “O-okay. Good to know you could do that.”

“Enjoy the moon. It’s full tonight.”

Ani smiled. It was weak but there was tint of excitement to it when she stood and turned to the warp-gate.

Stepping through the purple mist felt like she was walking through a swarm of flies. Or a misty rain that was completely dry. Either way it made her skin tingle all over and made her feel more alive than she had in...well...however long it had been.

And it was over in a moment.

Ani stepped out onto a balcony under the full moon. She gaped up at it in awe and slowly sank down to sit in its timeless, comforting glow.

She couldn’t take her eyes off of it, barely blinking, as she stared up at the massive rock trying her best to find a future she wanted.

 

 

Ani could feel she was no longer alone and tried to gaze up at the moon for just a few moments longer.

“It’s time, Shida.”

Ani shivered. It was the first time he had said her name. She rose from the rotten wood, giving one last glance at the moon, and turned appreciatively to Kurogiri.

“Thank you,” she quietly said and folded her hands in front of her. “You have no idea how much this means to me.”

He held her gaze evenly. “It’s time to go back now.”

“Mhmm,” agreed Ani. He gestured for her to go first and she stepped through the warp-gate back into her cell with little surprise. Kurogiri did not join her.

The blood stain had been cleaned and she felt oddly at peace. She nestled into a corner of the room and drifted off to sleep, forgiving herself.

 

 

There was another bowl of food waiting for her when she woke up. A bowl of covered ramen that was still steaming when she lifted off the lid. She devoured it.

She sat back with a sigh feeling like she was almost back to normal. When the door opened she expected Dabi, instead it was the psycho-blonde stomping into the room with a playful pout. Dabi followed close behind. Right away Ani noticed the abrasions and burns marring the girl’s overly cheery face.

“Hi Shida-san!” She crowed. “I’m Toga! I can’t believe this is the first time we’re officially meeting!” The girl cupped her own rosy cheeks as she giggled down at Ani.

“Just get to it, already,” Dabi ordered.

Toga pouted. “Hey now, she hasn’t had any company for so long! Besides your sourpuss.” The blonde kneeled in front of Ani.

“What happened to you?” The nurse in her couldn’t help asking.

“Awww, you’re so sweet! No wonder you’re so popular!” Toga reached out to stroke Ani’s hair but she jerked away, not wanting to be touched. “Sorry, I can’t help myself,” Toga laughed.

Toga.” Dabi was getting annoyed.

“Alright, alright!” Toga smiled with a sick, sugary spread of her lips and batted her eyes. "So, besides you and all of your skills, I’m the only other person here who has any experience with needles. So...I’m here to collect some more of your delicious blood!”

Ani shivered. It was beginning.

“Do I have a choice?” Ani asked.

Toga cocked her head like a puppy. “A choice? Of what?”

Dabi glowered down at Ani and she recognized the challenge in his eyes. She answered “do you have to draw it or can I?”

“Ooo!” Toga’s eyes grew wide. “You’re that good?! You can draw your own blood?!”

“You just saw her do it to save Kurogiri, dumbass,” scoffed Dabi.

Toga cackled. “Right! Right! I just thought it would be different if we’re not in a high-stress adrenaline-fueled situation. But yeah, sure, no problem!” Toga handed Ani some syringe with a girthy cannister connected to the pack on Toga’s back.

Ani took it, hating herself. She rolled her sleeve up and tried to reason that this was alright in any way. As the needle pierced her skin, she still wasn’t convinced. The vial filled quickly to Toga’s satisfaction and Dabi’s indifference. When they were satisfied by the volume Toga took the syringe back and bounced up to her feet.

“See ya later cutie!” Toga beamed at their prisoner. “Thanks for the blood!” She skipped out into the hallway and Dabi gave Ani one last scowl. Before he closed the door Ani called out

“Wait!”

Dabi leaned in impassively.

“Can I...” Ani asked timidly. “Can I have something to read?”

Dabi rolled his eyes and locked the door.

 

Ani sank back against the wall. She knew it was a longshot since it was Dabi but she didn't know when anyone would come back again. She sighed. It was worth trying.

 

Purple swirled from the corner of her cell and Ani watched nervously but the gate never got larger than a dinner plate. A book was tossed through, pages rippling through the stagnant air of the cell, and Ani leapt up to catch it. She smiled gratefully where the gate had been hoping to say thanks. It was already gone.

She sat down dusting the ratty cover and gave herself the only escape she could.

 

 

She read the entire book. More food was delivered. She took a quick nap with a full stomach and was halfway through the book for a second time when Kurogiri stepped out of his purple haze, drawing her attention up from the pages.

“How are you enjoying it?” He asked in his deep, mouthless voice.

Ani gave him a small smile. “Very much so. Thank you.”

He gave her a stiff bow of his head. “I’m glad. Though it’s time for you to come with me.”

“For what?” Ani asked, shrinking against the wall.

His yellow eyes stared flatly at her without explanation. Ani closed her eyes and tried to settle her nerves but it was no use. She stood and followed Kurogiri through the grainy static of his gate; they stepped out into a large room. Coals from a dying fire burned in the fireplace and Ani’s stomach flipped. This was where Dabi had brought her, where that woman Mom had seen her. Toga and Dabi were here now. As well as the blue-haired man from her cell when she saved Kurogiri.

“Miss Shida,” Kurogiri said. “This is our leader, Shigaraki.” He gestured to the man with blue-hair covered with hands.

“Mr. Shigaraki,” Ani acknowledged and his angsty eyes fell on her.

“So...you’re...getting along alright?” He asked lazily. “Now that Kurogiri is taking care of you?”

Ani released a shaky breath and gave a small nod.

“Good.” Shigaraki strummed his fingers on the couch. “Do you know why you’re here?”

“In general, yes.”

“And are you ready to join us?” He asked bluntly.

Ani glanced at Kurogiri. “J-join you?”

“Yes.” Shigaraki rolled his eyes in annoyance. “Surely Kurogiri has made it clear that we’d like you to join our cause.”

“What cause is that exactly?” Ani asked earnestly.

Shigaraki leaned forward in his seat. “We want to expose the heroes for what they really are: government thugs, public mercenaries that are paraded around as gods. We want to end this farce of a society. To bring justice for the man who looked out for us, those of us deemed unworthy of protecting, and was brutally murdered by those who faced no consequence for their homicide.

“I know you’ve heard all the stories the media have had to tell. The hero’s side...but our old visionary...All-For-One...just wanted a more balanced society.” Shigaraki growled. “He was never able to see his dream to reality. It is now our task to see it through. It’s what we’ve set out to do from the beginning.”

Ani grew quiet and felt all the eyes of the room on her. They waited expectantly. Ani became lost in thought and Dabi snapped first.

“We’re not going to wait all day, princess!”

She jumped and blushed deeply. “You say you were deemed unworthy of protecting...why?” The atmosphere in the room titled dangerously. Her next words dug her own grave. “What did you do that made the heroes deem you unworthy?”

Dabi’s lips curled in a snarl. Toga’s face fell with a dramatic frown. And Shigaraki rose from his chair. Kurogiri was as still as a statue as his boss approached Ani.

“You...” Shigaraki’s eyes were wild and wide. "You haven’t changed at all! You’re still sympathetic with those bullies!”

“What?” Ani began to panic. “Wait-I—” Anything else she was going to say was cut off as Shigaraki wrapped his hand over her fully-healed neck. She flailed in his grasp as his five-finger-grip began to dissolve her skin.

“You’re never going to join us, are you?” He asked rhetorically. He starred curiously at Ani’s throat as her regeneration kicked into overdrive and fought back against his decay. She was still writhing in pain but he was...impressed. She was the first person whose skin hadn’t flaked away like paper. Her quirk was holding its ground against his. He grinned maniacally. “No matter...we’re still going to use you as we see fit.” He shoved her to the ground and she coughed roughly, clutching her throat. “Put her back. And no more privileges.”

Dabi grinned maniacally and stepped toward her. Ani panicked and screamed, kicking at him as he formed a ball of fire in his hand.

 

An alarm went off.

 

It was quiet but distinct and the sound made all of the villains freeze. They looked at Kurogiri who was already disappearing through a warp gate. Ani, too, had paused. She didn’t know what the alarm was from but she knew if she went back in her cell she would never get to find out and the others seemed to have forgotten about her for the time being.

A long, tense moment passed.

A warp gate opened from the ceiling and a man dressed in plain brown clothes dropped through like a sack of potatoes. Kurogiri appeared a moment later stepping through a properly-orientated swirl.

“He set off the alarm.” Kurogiri loomed over the lump of a pan who groaned and the hair on Ani’s neck stood up. “What’s your name?”

He kicked the man sending his brown leather goggles flying. They skittered across the floor landing next to Ani.

Thump thump.

She could hear her heartbeat in her ears.

“Who are you?!” Shigaraki snarled.

Thump Thump.

Ani’s lungs couldn’t find air to breathe.

“We asked you a fucking question!” Dabi shouted and grabbed the man by the throat lifting him from the floor. Ani’s eyes widened in disbelief.

Thump Thump.

The man gagged and struggled against the choke-hold and started to claw at Dabi’s hand. In his struggles his eyes roamed the room wildly and stopped.

On Ani.

Thump Thump.

They widened.

Dabi noticed the man’s distraction and followed his line of sight, cerulean-ember eyes landing on Ani, too, who lost focus on everyone in the room.

As she stared up...

“Do you know this man?!” Dabi asked in a dangerously dark voice.

...at M.I.

Chapter 53: Reflection

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“What the fuck do you want you ass—”

Shouto cut off Bakugo, now was not the time. “Come to my agency. We have a lead on Ani.” He hung up abruptly and swerved into the Todoroki Agency parking garage. He sprinted past security, launching himself into an elevator as his mind continued to race.

Holy shit. Utsubei...Utsubei saw her.

He had already called Midoriya and Jozu. Flora had been his first call and he gratefully accepted her offer to contact Aves and M.I. on her way into the office. He had called in only a few of these, his most trusted sidekicks, unsure of who else he was going to need. Bakugo had been his last call.

He rushed to the strategy and planning department; the lights were already on. Dojire had arrived first, prepping the necessary facilities.

“Is anyone here yet?” Shouto asked.

Dojire fell into step. “Detective Utsubei and Deku, sir. I’ve notified security to direct the remaining arrivals to this floor.”

“Thank you, Dojire.” As he spoke another elevator opened and Bakugo rushed out.

The explosive hero stormed past Dojire reeking of smoke; he must have blasted across the city to get here so quickly. “This better not be some goddamned prank waking me up in the middle of the fucking night!” Bakugo was fully dressed in his hero uniform giving away the level of seriousness he was giving the situation. Shouto brushed off the comment and went in to join Midoriya and Utsubei.

“Oh great, the damned nerd is here,” Bakugo muttered, ignored again.

Shouto bowed to Midoriya. “Thank you for coming.”

“Of course,” Midoriya said with a bow of his head and a clench of his fist. "We're going to find her, for sure.”

“Shouto-san.” His brother-in-law was leaning over a touch-screen computer table covered in...pictures of trees...

“Utsubei, what’s going on?” Shouto stood across the display surface. “What did you see?”

“Not much. I just saw her sitting by herself. Looked like a balcony or something? Of a mountain house.” He tapped a rough sketch and passed it along the screen to Shouto. “Kind of like this. And it was surrounded by trees. Definitely out in the middle of nowhere.”

“So you’re trying to pick-out the trees you saw? So Flora can tell you where they’re found?”

Utsubei nodded. “Yes. Is she coming?”

“She’ll be here as soon as she can—”

“Wait. Wait. Wait.” Bakugo popped a small explosion from his fist. “What the fuck is this you’re saying?! You saw her?!”

“Yes.” Utusbei kept scrolling through pictures of trees.

“What the fuck does that mean?!” Bakugo’s teeth bared impatiently. “Who the fuck even are you?!”

“This is Detective Utsubei, of the Musutafu police force. He’s my brother-in-law,” said Shouto, arms crossed as his eyes stoically surveyed the screen. Utsubei stood up, pausing his search for a moment.

“Who the fuck cares! What did you mean you saw Ani?!” He was facing Utstubei down like a rabid animal.

“It’s my quirk: reflection.” Ustubei sighed. “If I’m looking at something and someone else is looking at that same thing, and I try to look for them specifically, I can see them. It works best if the surface is reflective, like the side of a building.”

“Which makes him particularly talented in metropolitan areas,” Midoriya chimed in.

“Yes, thank you.” Utsubei gave Deku a small bow of his head. “It can be challenging because we have to be looking at the same thing, same time...but it’s useful because I can use it over long distances, too, if the moon is available.”

“The...moon?” Bakugo looked at Utsubei like he was crazy.

“And if the moon is full...”

Bakugo involuntarily glanced outside at the glamorous full-moon as sunlight began to lighten the sky.

“I can get an incredibly clear picture of the person and their immediate surroundings. If they’re looking at it, too,” Utsubei explained. “I've been checking the moon repeatedly, almost obsessively hoping Ani would remember asking me about it so long ago at the Todoroki house. Hoping she might try to contact me through it.”

“And she did,” Midoriya said, feeling encouraged.

“Yes.” Utsubei looked back to the trees. “After I noticed her, she sat still for nearly two straight minutes doing nothing but staring directly at the moon. I was able to get the clearest picture I’ve ever seen, of her and that house and the trees growing up around it. I don’t think she blinked more than once or twice that entire time until someone came to collect her.”

“Someone?” Shouto asked, eyes concentrating on Utstubei who nodded.

Utsubei’s brow furrowed. “She looked back at me once more when she was no longer alone. It was like she was trying to show me that person, too, but I didn’t realize until it was too late and the connection was gone.”

Shouto clenched his fists. The room was beginning to brighten with the sun as it crested the horizon. The elevator dinged and the four of them turned to the doorway where Flora, Aves, and M.I. soon appeared.

“Flora,” Shouto greeted her. “Aves. M.I. Thank you all for coming.”

Flora stepped up to the table with fierce determination. “How can I help?”

“What’s the situation?” M.I. asked.

Utsubei quickly repeated the situation for the three of them and began looking through pictures of the trees with Flora. Within the hour they had narrowed the range of Ani’s possible location to the Tanzawa Mountains.

“It’s hard to pinpoint it any closer than that without additional details,” Flora stated thoughtfully. “Aves, can you search through an area this large?”

“Without a doubt—I already know who to ask,” she said and dashed out of the room before anyone else could speak.

Shouto leaned onto the table staring at the map of the Tanzawa Mountain Range. She was there, somewhere deep in the mountains. The elevator dinged again, catching everyone by surprise. They looked to the door and Shouto immediately scowled as he caught sight of his nephew coming down the hall.

“Tashkei. What are you doing here!” demanded Shouto.

“I’d like to know that as well,” Utsubei sternly added and crossed his arms.

Midoriya’s eyes widened in surprise and worry. “Keijo. You’re here too?”

“Yes!” Tashkei said defensively as he and his peer stormed into the room. “We’re your interns! Why would we not be here for, clearly, such an important meeting?!”

Shouto scowled at them and Midoriya simply sighed, drawing the attention of Shouto’s currently short fuse. Deku smiled at his old friend.

“You know this is Aizawa...right?” He chuckled. “I think he sent them as his own form of payback for everything we did as his students.”

“That doesn’t matter,” Shouto insisted and turned back to the third-year high-schoolers. “This isn’t something for either of you to be involved with.”

“We’re practically pro-heroes already, aren’t we?” Tashkei challenged. “What’s the real reason you don’t want us here?”

“It’s Ani,” Utsubei told his son.

Keijo had joined Midoriya at his side. “Who’s Ani?”

“Did you see her?” Tashkei asked his father urgently stepping up to the table.

“Yes,” the detective answered.

“Then I have all the more reason to be involved!” Tashkei argued and stood toe-to-toe with his uncle.

Again Keijo quietly asked his mentor “who’s Ani?”

“She’s Shouto’s longtime girlfriend,” Midoriya responded in a hush.

“And practically my aunt,” Tashkei loudly added.

He turned away from his satisfied intern-slash-nephew and cracked his neck. He remembered his first internship with Endeavor, when his father didn’t hesitate to bring him along to Hosu city. And also showed no hesitations about Shouto breaking off to go help a friend. He may not have acknowledged it at the time...but it was validating how much confidence his father had in him. And he had only been a first year.

“You’re absolutely right.” Shouto rubbed his face and glanced at his intern. “You should be here for this.”

“So, what did you see, dad?” Tashkei asked as he stepped up to the table and the story was once again repeated. The room slowly fell quiet. Shouto wanted to begin planning but it was difficult to set out exact plans without knowing her location.

The room was bright and full of sunshine when Aves came sprinting out of the doorway.

“I’ve got it!” She zipped to the table. “There are three abandoned cabins in the range that you said.

“Three,” Shouto said as he tapped his chin and glanced at his two fellow pro-heroes who looked at him and nodded in agreement. “Three teams.”

 

~

 

Shouto rode with Tashkei, M.I., Aves, and Flora to the farthest, most abandoned destination. Midoriya and Bakugo had called their own most trusted sidekicks to help them with their searches. Shout's team drove through a small town nestled in the mountains that could hardly count as a town. Utsubei called as they met the end of a dirt road and had to travel forward on foot.

Both Midoriya and Bakugo haven’t found anything at their sites,” Utsubei reported. “They sent me pictures of the houses, too. They didn’t look right.

Shouto’s hopes all came down to this last possibility. “Thanks. I’ll let you know what we find as soon as we get to the site.”

Good luck.”

Shouto turned his attention back to his team where Aves and M.I. stood silently over Flora. Tashkei scanned the forest. The pale-green girl kneeled to the ground, head resting against a tree trunk and eyes closed in deep concentration.

“It’s about three kilometers that way...” said Flora with a whisper of uncertainty.

“What is it?” M.I. asked.

Flora’s face twisted in confusion and she looked up. “It’s hard to tell from this distance...but it doesn’t sound like anyone is there.”

Shouto’s brow furrowed. “Utsubei just called and said neither of the buildings from the other sites were the one he saw. It has to be this one.”

Flora nodded softly. “I’ll keep listening as we go...just in case.”

The four of them took a straight path following Flora’s directions and hiked quietly so Flora could continuously listen. Aves would communicate with passing birds and had similar feedback: there were no signs of anyone inside.

“It’s just up ahead,” Flora whispered after they had been hiking for a long time. The group paused and sank to the ground. Flora and Aves both reported no scouts wandering the perimeter. No visible traps. Aves was able to convince a bird to take her phone as it recorded a video and fly up over the house. They sent the video to Utsubei as soon as the bird dropped it back down to them.

Yepp, that’s the place I saw.

Shouto’s heart steeled. “Okay, this is it. This is the place.”

“I still don’t sense anyone...” Flora said practically laying in the dirt as she rubbed her temples. “There’s...nothing.”

“She was here,” Shouto said as he stared the abandoned house down. “Even if it’s empty now...that warp gate brought her here for a reason.”

“You think we can find another lead inside?” Tashkei quietly asked.

Shouto nodded. “Do you all have your team-coms on?” Everyone nodded. Their small earbuds were secure and ready to keep them all connected as they separated.

“Shouto,” M.I. said. “Let me go in.” When his boss paused, eyes narrowing, M.I. explained “if there’s anything in there that’s some sort of trap I’m the one most capable of disarming it. I’ll call out once it’s all clear.”

“Do it. The rest of you, spread out. Keep your eyes and ears open.” Shouto motioned for them to surround the house through the woods and his team distanced themselves from each other as M.I. cautiously approached the abandoned house.

“Can everyone still hear me?” M.I. whispered, testing to make sure there was no radio jamming in effect. Affirmative response from everyone.

He climbed the creaky wooden steps and could see into almost the entire first floor through the empty window frames. The door opened with minimal protest and M.I. rolled a small ball down the dark hallway. Thin streams of vapor rushed out filling the first floor of the small home with a light mist that quickly dissipated. No lasers. Or other-wise invisible traps so far. Cautiously, he stepped inside.

Nothing. No one. No sounds.

“First floor clear,” he whispered, feeling the tension rolling off of his team from the woods.

Seeing the shabby stair case he began to climb, wood screeching with every step. The second floor was a large, open space and before he was even at the top of the stairs he could see it was empty save for a broken dresser and dusty piano. He lifted his foot to the last step. “Second Floor Cl—”

A sudden darkness appeared in front of him like a nightmarish vision come true.

“NOT CLEA—” M.I. could not force the words out before he was shoved backward, sent flying down the stairs and fell for a longer time than he thought he should have. He slammed into the ground, a different floor covered by a musty rug that had not been in the house before.

 

Shouto burst through the door only to see the warp gates disappearing at the base of the stairs and at the top. He lunged for them but grabbed at nothing. M.I. was gone.

“M.I.!” He shouted. “M.I.!!”

There was no response; from anywhere here or over the com.

NNOO!” Shouto roared and was joined only moments later by the remaining four members of his team. “They got him! They just fucking took M.I.!”

“What?!” Aves asked, mouth dropping open.

“It’s that damned warp-gate!” Shouto snarled. “Quickly! Search the house, find anything, everything!”

Notes:

Holy cow. When I started writing/posting this I didn't think it would grow to this size but I still have more I want to share with all of you so if you've made it this far thank you <3 thank you so much for reading. Your support and interest has been a huge motivation for me and I can't wait to see this through with you!!

Chapter 54: Projection

Chapter Text

Utsubei sat anxiously at his desk staring at his phone. It rang making the few other detectives around him jump. He answered it before the ring ended.

“Shouto—”

They got M.I.! They’re not here but that fucking warp-gate got M.I.!

Utsubei’s gut dropped. “Oh, shit.”

We’ve already filed a report with the local police and it should be uploading to the national database any moment now. They said this property has been abandoned for a long time and they’re searching town records to find who the last owners were. As soon as we have the name, I need you to check for that name anywhere and everywhere.

“Of course. Where are you now?”

We‘re headed down from the mountains. Bakugo has already gone back to Dagoben. Midoriya is on his way back to Musutafu. Call me if anything changes from your end.

“Will do.”

Shouto abruptly hung up, as per his new norm, and Utsubei relayed the situation to his supervisor. Now they were two victims.

Fuyumi called. She encouraged her husband as best as she could knowing the stress that was weighing on all of them.

“I’m going to get lunch,” Utsubei told his team. He couldn’t shake the terrible feeling creeping up his spine and he wanted to be out of the office. The sun was shining brightly and Utsubei had to pause at the doorway to get the black spot out of his vision once his eyes had adjusted to the light. But the black spot didn’t disappear. It grew.

Purple mist spiraled out at the base of the stairs to the police-station doors and Utsubei froze as a body was tossed like a limp rag onto the sidewalk. Someone else's face popped out with a quick glance at the dumped body but the mist disappeared with the face before Utsubei could see who it was. His eyes fell and widened as the crumpled form didn’t move. He was moving, shouting, before he had consciously chosen to.

“GUYS! SOMEONE’S HURT OUT HERE!”

 

Shouto was weaving toward Dagoben in the silent car.

Aves’s mind was racing with a strategy of how to spread a search. Flora was leaning against the glass, mouth covered as she tried not to cry. Tashkei watched the road in a tense silence.

And Shouto...Shouto’s entire body was tense, every muscle flexing as he gripped the steering wheel with white-knuckles. His mind was a focused list of how to move forward. To expand the search for two of his people now.

The shrill ring of his phone pierced the silence making three of them jump as Shouto swiftly answered.

Shouto!” Utsubei’s voice was saturated with stress. “M.I.-he was just dropped at the feet of my police station in Musutafu! He’s on the way to Musutafu General in an ambulance now. He’s in rough shape, Shouto.

Shouto’s eyes stayed focused on the road as everyone else stared at his phone with rapt attention.

“What happened.” Shouto immediately changed course for their neighboring city.

He heard sirens in the background; Utsubei must have been following the ambulance. “He just...he just flopped out of this weird purple mist—

“Kurogiri,” Shouto snarled.

“It’s the same guy who kidnapped Ani? Right?

“Yeah. What did M.I. say? Did he see Ani?”

The other line was silent for a beat. “Shouto...they cut out M.I.’s tongue.

 

Shouto parked and rushed inside with his three teammates on his tail. Bakugo, Midoriya, and a few other police officers were all talking with Utsubei outside of the hospital room where Utsubei said M.I. was being treated.

“What’s going on?” Shouto asked covered in a sheen of sweat from the day’s stress as the group opened up to include them.

“M.I. is in stable condition now. His injuries are not fatal...” Utsubei said uncomfortably. “But it’s like I said...they cut out his tongue.”

He ignored the repeated reactions of his team and tried to look in the glass door. “Is he awake?”

“Yes. We have a specialist coming who will be able to help us find out what happened.”

Shouto’s phone rang. At a quick glance he saw it was Aino.

Shit.

He stepped away from the group for a moment and took the call. “Aino?”

Have you found anything yet? Have you found her?” The older brother’s voice was breathless and hopeful and worried. Shouto wondered if he should have said anything at all to the surgeon.

“No. Not yet, but we’re still chasing an active lead.”

Aino hesitated. “What aren’t you saying?

“It’s...one of my people. They kidnapped him and he was just recovered but we’re in the hospital.”

Which hospital? What happened to him?!

Shouto grimaced. He didn’t want to tell the surgeon for fear it would make his worries spiral out of control. “We’re in Musutafu general. And they...they cut out his tongue.”

Aino sucked in a tight breath. “I’m coming over.

“No, Ai—” Shouto growled.

“Yeah, annoying as fuck, isn’t it?” Bakugo loudly remarked. “When someone just fucking hangs up on you?”

Shouto brushed the comment off and rejoined the group as another police officer walked up with a plainly-dressed man with huge hands.

“Detective Toei,” Utsubei greeted the man with large-hands. He introduced everyone else standing in the circle.

Toei nodded and skipped over the small talk. “Shall we?"

Utsubei nodded and led them inside.

“Ah,” Toei paused. “Often times a subject such as this will perform better if there are fewer people involved.” His eyes skimmed the group. “Which of you need to know the details of the situation.”

Flora gently pulled Aves and Tashkei’s arms, stepping back with them. “We’re not essential. Shouto will tell us what we need to know.”

The red-white head gave a nod to his team in appreciation. Toei gestured to the extra police officers.

“They’re here to offer our patient protection,” Utsubei commented. Toei gave a nod of obvious approval to number one hero Deku and his eyes fell on Bakugo with a questioning raised eyebrow.

“Aside from being the number-fucking-three top hero,” Bakugo commented hotly “I’ve been a part of this investigation from the beginning.” Midoriya vouched for him. Shouto gave a nod of support, too.

“Four of you...” Toei thought for a moment. “Well...we’ll see how this goes.”

They stepped inside the quiet room and shut the door before going behind M.I.’s drawn privacy curtain. The sidekick, reconnaissance hero was staring at the ceiling with a sad hollowness to his eyes that locked onto his boss, unacknowledging of anyone else in the group. M.I.’s face crumpled as tears streamed down his eyes. He opened his mouth out of habit to talk but only made a gagging noise from the empty cavern and covered his face in shame and despair.

“Hi there, young man.” Detective Toei pulled up a chair next to M.I. and took a seat. He gently squeezed M.I.’s arm and received reluctant eye contact. “Do you know who I am?”

M.I. shook his head.

“My name is Detective Toei. I’m with Musutafu’s division of the Ministry of Justice. I work with victims of crimes share experiences they otherwise cannot bring themselves to physically or mentally share.” He wiggled his Mr. Mime fingers. “My quirk is called Projection. I can project your thoughts and memories for others to see.

“Detective Utsubei?” He asked over his shoulder and the detective stepped up, leaning his head down in offering. Toei placed his fingers along Utsubei’s temple and pointed his other hand to a blank space on the wall. An image of Utsubei holding Tashkei for the first time appeared as crisp and clear as a movie. Toei removed his hand and the vision immediately disappeared.

“It doesn’t hurt. It’s a very gentle, subtle sensation,” Utsubei assured M.I.

Toei turned to the patient lying in the bed. “What do you think, are you open to trying this?”

M.I. nodded fervently. He gave Shouto an urgent, serious glance.

“Let’s begin.”

Chapter 55: Tip Of The Iceberg

Notes:

*Potential Trigger Warning: Torture*

Chapter Text

“It’s helpful for your mind if you ease into what you most want to share. Rewind your memories back to just before what happened,” Toei instructed. Everyone in the hospital room held their breath as Toei rose from his chair and gently placed his fingertips at M.I.’s temple. He aimed his other hand at the empty wall.

M.I. closed his eyes and let his head sink back.

 

A dark, shabby stair case. He walked to it and began to climb, wood screeching with every step. M.I. looked around the large, open space of the second floor and saw only a broken dresser and dusty piano.

M.I.’s voice quietly echoed in the silent hospital room as he moved to the last step.

“Second Floor Cl—”

A sudden darkness appeared in front of him like a nightmarish vision come true.

“NOT CLEA—” M.I.’s words were cut off as the memory suddenly twisted and jostled from his perspective as he was shoved down the stairs. Toei’s body stiffened for a moment as he felt the impact of the wind being knocked out of M.I. as he slammed into the floor.

The projection was black; M.I.’s eyes were squeezed shut as he tried to catch his breath.

A deep voice rumbled. “He set off the alarm. What’s your name?”

M.I.’s lungs had just found purchase and he opened his eyes to see who was speaking. Toei flinched. M.I.’s face was met with a swift kick from a black dress shoe and he grunted. His goggles were sent flying.

“Who are you?!” Someone else snarled. M.I.’s vision was finally coming back into focus and Shouto felt his arms flex with anger as he saw Kurogiri, Shigaraki, and—

“We asked you a fucking question!” Dabi shouted and lifted M.I. from the floor. Toei trembled as he experienced the strength of Dabi’s grip and M.I.’s memory frantically scanned the room showing a head of pony tails, blue hair, purple mist...

Shouto’s soul nearly left his body as he saw what M.I. had seen.

Ani.

She was alive. She stared up at M.I. with recognition glowing in her eyes. Shouto’s heart leapt in relief; she still remembered M.I. after her memory had been altered. His mind raced as his hopes soared wishing she would take this as a sign: they were coming for her. She was not forgotten and they, he, cared about her. Shouto saw the gears whirring in her mind and willed it to mean that the memory-erasing and tactics to make her believe they had abandoned her weren’t true.

From the corner of the projection, they could see Dabi’s eyes follow M.I.’s and land on Ani.

“Do you know this man?” Dabi asked in a dangerously dark voice. Ani gulped and glanced at Dabi without giving him an answer. Shouto noticed the wound on her neck. “Don’t play dumb,” Dabi challenged.

M.I. was dropped to the floor, he tried to get to his feet but was held back and Shigaraki’s grating voice whispered in his ear.

“Let’s see how this plays out, nehh?” He gave a quiet cackle and the memory made Toei shiver. “Let’s see if she really does remember you.”

Dabi slowly stalked toward Ani and she crawled backward shaking her head.

“Who is this man—”

M.I.’s voice rang out clearly. “I’m no one! Just a hiker who wandered by looking for a place to rest!”

Ani’s eyes flicked between him and Dabi with evident hope he would accept the explanation but Dabi wouldn’t look away from Ani.

Shouto’s heart clenched. He watched helplessly as his deranged sibling raised a foot over Ani’s gut and stomped, hard. Shouto held his breath, waiting for Ani’s cry of pain but it never came. A small misty gate had appeared sending Dabi’s foot into a cushion of the couch instead of Ani’s gut. The scarred man stepped back and turned to the warp gate who was stepping into M.I.’s view.

“STOP INTERFERING!” Dabi roared. “This is all happening because YOU’RE GOING SOFT!”

Kurogiri stood toe-to-toe with the fire-user and spoke calmly. “And yet you’ve never been able to get anything out of her.” Shouto’s heart skipped a beat—what did that mean— “So step aside.”

“Why you—” Dabi moved to hit the misty suit but instead just popped out in a different corner of the room.

“Cool it for a minute, Dabi,” Shigaraki instructed from behind M.I.

“Sh-she doesn’t know anything!” M.I. pleaded as the swirling man approached a cowering Ani. “I don’t know who she is! Please, just leave her alone!”

Kurogiri ignored M.I.’s pleas as he and Ani stared at each other.

“Ani...” Kurogiri’s voice made the girl shiver. It made Shouto’s blood boil. “I would like to think that you and I have come to a sort of...mutual respect. It’s obvious you recognize this man. Who is he?”

Ani hesitated. The room in the memory and the room in the hospital grew absolutely silent.

“He’s...he’s an old ex-boyfriend,” she lied. “I haven’t seen him for such a long time and was just surprised...I have no idea why he’s here.”

Kurogiri gave a condescending look to Dabi and started to turn back to M.I. when Toga’s disgustingly cheery voice pierced the silence with a giggle.

“Oh my gosh that’s so cute!! She used to date one of Shouto’s sidekicks!!”

Everyone froze.

M.I.’s heart pounded audibly. Kurogiri slowly turned back to Ani whose face was blank.

“Why’s everyone acting so weird right now!” Toga giggled bubbly. “It’s not that weird! Maybe that’s how Ani-san and Shouto-san met!”

Shouto’s mind felt like quick sand as all of his hopes sank away. He noticed the tears slipping out of M.I.’s cheeks in real-life. In the projection, his eyes were glued to Ani.

“That’s not what it is at all. Is it.” Kurogiri towered over Ani and she shrank as his voice rose in anger. “How did you do it? How did you contact them?!”

Dabi snickered. “Yeah...not such a well-behaved pet after-all, is she?” He stepped into view clapping a hand on the suited shoulder. “Such a sha—”

Kurogiri shook Dabi’s hand off and elbowed him in the gut, sending the scarred man back a step. Still looming over the wilting girl he demanded “tell me. After everything that I have done for you. Tell. Me.”

Ani's posture changed. She squared her shoulders from where she sat on the ground and the look on her face calmed. She stared up at Kurogiri with a blooming resistance that had laid dormant for so long. “What did you think this was?” Her voice was quiet but strong and it lit a spark in Shouto’s chest. “Did you think you would give me some clean clothes and a few meals...a fucking book, and I was going to leap to join your cause?” Her chest was rising and falling with pent-up emotion. “What kind of weird beauty-and-the-beast stockholm syndrome situation did you think you were in?!”

Her voice rang with hidden strength that even Dabi’s eyebrows lifted in surprise.

Shigaraki tutted, out-of-sight. “You had your chance, Kurogiri, and you failed. Your turn.”

It was clear who he had spoken to as Dabi’s lips spread in a victorious grin. Ani’s confidence and strength began to deflate as Kurogiri walked away emotionlessly and Dabi took his place above Ani.

“So...” he squatted in front of Ani and Shouto’s heart sank. “We have to do this the hard way, huh?” Ani’s eyes grew wide with horror as Dabi leisurely reached out for her leg. With the dying embers of her strength she kicked him square in the chest and he fell back as she tried to get away but there wasn’t enough power to have hurt him. His arms flashed out and grabbed both of her ankles slamming her back down to the ground with an audible crack of her nose as her face hit the ground. She didn’t try to cup her face. Instead, she clawed at the ground trying to find leverage to get away from him. He easily overpowered her and flung her into the wall.

She cried out as she slammed into the stone and she slid to the ground still trying to keep Dabi back with flailing kicks.

“ENOUGH!” Dabi roared impatiently. He drew his arm back and sent a rush of blue flames down over Ani’s whole frame.

She screamed a blood-curdling sound.

Dabi extinguished the flames and grabbed her singed hair that had taken most of the heat, dragging her back to the middle of the room as she held his wrist to lessen the pain. He tossed her in front of M.I.

“So...Shouto thinks he can just slip in and steal his precious thing back?” Dabi took a fistful of what remained of Ani’s hair and lifted her bleeding, sobbing face to M.I. “He can think again.”

Ani met M.I.’s eyes and, though she was crying, her voice was strong. “Tell him I’ll be waiting for him.”

Dabi’s blue eyes burned with fury as he grabbed the back of Ani’s neck and smoke rose from her burning flesh. “What was that?!”

Ani didn’t look away from M.I.’s face even as she crumpled in pain. “I can endure this. For him. I can endure this and I’ll be waiting for him. No matter how long it takes.”

Dabi’s eyes only glowed with eternal rage at the conviction in her voice.

“Even if it takes...”

Dabi squeezed her throat trying to cut off her words but she forced out one more.

“For-ever.”

 

Toei hunched over and they all watched Dabi begin to toss Ani around like a ragdoll. Invigorated by her words to M.I. he challenged her over and over again to repeat herself as he burned away patches of her already charred clothing to sear his handprint into her skin. Ani gritted her teeth and tried her best to suppress the cries of pain.

Dabi’s verbal degradation evolved into demands. Twisted an arm back so hard her shoulder snapped and assured her it would all be over as soon as she swore herself to their cause. She refused. He slapped a flaming palm across her cheek and sunk a punch into her gut making her clutch her stomach with her good arm and vomit what little stomach contents she had. She fell to her knees.

Dabi towered over her. “Well?!”

Ani slowly raised her tear-soaked face to M.I. whose own vision was hazy with sadness.

“A-ani,” M.I.’s voice cracked helplessly.

Her body tremored as the regeneration left her emaciated.

“All you have to do is pledge your allegiance to us,” Dabi said giving her feet a light kick.

Shigaraki sighed. “This is really boring.”

Someone else must have taken Shigaraki’s place, holding back M.I., because the gangly blue-haired man came into view and creeped toward Ani.

“You know...” his voice wavered with deranged enthusiasm. “I was impressed before, how your skin could regenerate so quickly that it rendered my quirk practically useless...but now I wonder...”

He took the last of Ani’s hair and turned it to dust that floated down around Ani’s head.

“I wonder...if you can keep up with me in this state...” His hands drifted over her back and dissolved the back of her tattered sweatshirt. She clutched the thin remains of garment to her chest, eyes growing wide as Shiagraki slowly brought his hands down to her spine.

Her eyes flared instantly, face blanched, with the desiccating pain of Shigaraki’s power and her scream followed a moment later. It was a haunting, hollow sound at the brink of death.

Toei crumpled, almost breaking the connection. Utsubei turned to the garbage and vomited from the sound of the scream. Midoriya covered his mouth, eyes watering. Bakugo looked away.

And Shouto...

Shouto forced himself to watch. The emotional circuits of his mind were blown; he felt numb as he watched the love of his life start to wither away. He knew this was something Ani would never tell him about for wanting to save him the pain. She had to feel the pain; M.I. was forced to watch. He would allow nothing to impede his part in this.

“Stop it! Please! You’re killing her!” M.I. shouted through sobs.

Shigaraki looked over his shoulder and Ani’s eyes cracked open weakly.

“Killing her?” He gave a wide, feral smile. “I’m not going to kill the most important piece of our plan...I’m just having fun...and your...interruptions...are getting really annoying.” Shigaraki glanced between him and Ani and tapped his chin.

“What was it she said to you before?...Tell him you’ll be waiting for him?” Shigraki’s finger traced his chapped lips and he rose from his place on the floor next to Ani. “I think I know how to kill two birds with one stone.”

Ani’s eyes widened with what little strength she had left. M.I.’s heartbeat accelerated like a jackhammer and he tried to fight whoever was holding him. “D-don’t...”

Shigaraki’s eyes gleamed down at M.I. as he reached down to the sidekick’s face.

“D-don’t!”

The blue haired man paused and grinned victoriously as he looked over his shoulder at Ani. “What was that?”

“D-don’t kill him! Don’t touch him!” Still clutching the front of her sweatshirt to her chest she tried to sit up; she had become skin-and-bones in trying to stay alive under Shigaraki’s torture. “L-let him go.”

“And why would I do that?” Shigaraki asked condescendingly.

Ani took a painful swallow. “Bec-cause...if you...l-let him go...i’ll...i’ll help you. I'll s-stop trying to esc-cape and help m-mom.”

Shigaraki looked around at his cohorts. “Well team...what do you say?” He made a big show of spreading his arms wide like a gracious king. “Do you think she’s being honest?”

“We should keep him...just to make sure she’ll cooperate,” said Dabi.

“No,” Ani said with a weak shake of her head. “Let hi-him go now...to a place where I tell you...and you'll have my full c-cooperation...”

“How do we know you’re not lying this time? That you’re not going to trick us again?” said Kurogiri from behind M.I.

Ani lifted her eyes to him. “You don’t...but if you d-don’t set him free now I know you won’t set him free. You’ll t-torture him just like you’ve done to me.”

Shigaraki sighed and scratched his neck. “I don’t care about any of this anymore. I just want to move onto the next stage.”

“Eh...” Dabi shrugged. “I guess we can’t really use this guy for anything. It would send a good message to the heroes if we fuck him up a little bit first, before sending him back.”

“No!” Ani protested. “D-don’t hurt him.”

“Well, which is it princess?” Dabi spat. “Don’t hurt him? Or set him free? You can’t have it both ways.”

“It’s okay, Ani,” M.I. assured her and her face crumpled as their eyes met. He whispered “it’s okay...” as Dabi closed in on him.

“First thing to go is this fucking tongue.”

 

M.I. pulled away from Toei's hand and the projection immediately disappeared. Toei sank into the chair.

“M.I.,” Shouto asked worriedly. “Why did you stop?”

M.I. looked at his boss sadly and shook his head.

“How much more was there!”

M.I. looked away and grimaced.

“You don’t want us to have to sit through that, too?” Shouto guessed and M.I. nodded. “M.I....”

His sidekick met his gaze with a calm expression and bowed his head.

“If you ever change your mind...” Toei whispered and the rest of the group nodded in agreement. M.I. placed a hand on Toei’s shoulder and gave a tired smile of appreciation.

A police guard outside the room knocked and Utsubei stepped back around the privacy curtain; Shouto heard their hushed exchange about a doctor insisting they needed to get in to see M.I. now. Utsubei called them to come out. Shouto left the room last and almost ran right into the waiting physician.

Chapter 56: Blood

Chapter Text

Shouto stepped quickly to the side with an apology but it was cut off as he noticed who it was. "Aino!"

“I need to talk to you and your sidekick,” the surgeon said as he quickly pulled Shouto back into the hospital room and closed the door behind them, drawing the curtain as they stepped behind it.

“What’s all this about?” Shouto asked standing next to M.I. as Aino stepped around to the other side of the bed.

M.I. was glancing between them in confusion as Aino asked in a hushed voice “Shouto...is this one of your sidekicks?” Shouto nodded. “And he’s trustworthy?” Both men nodded. Aino pulled a small black box out of his jacket pocket and set it on the bed, speaking quickly. “After Ani was attacked the first time by those people in her apartment, she knew they would come back for her. She was convinced, despite my incorrect reassurances, that they wanted the power of her quirk badly enough so she took precautions to look out for all of you, should they ever succeed in capturing her.”

“What are you saying?” Shouto asked, brow furrowed in frustrated confusion.

Aino opened the small box to reveal a vile of eggplant-colored liquid and a syringe nestled in foam.

“Her blood,” Shouto murmured. His eyes flashed to Aino's with a demand. “How.”

“I’ll explain everything later. We have to do this before anyone sees.” He turned to M.I. “Will you open your mouth, please?”

M.I. reluctantly spread his jaws apart and Aino pulled a small flashlight from his pocket; he looked at the empty cavern. “Good. As I suspected it's not healed yet. Close your mouth for now,” he instructed and turned off the flashlight. “If you consent, I can inject you at the sight of your injury with my sisters blood and...there’s a chance that you will be able to regrow your tongue.”

M.I.’s eyes widened and Shouto wondered if Ani had ever used her blood in the clinic after all. Without hesitation, M.I. nodded.

“Shouto if this situation was ever to be uncovered and investigated, I would need you to be my official witness to his consent. Will you do that?”

“Of course.”

Once more Aino turned to M.I. eagerly waiting. “Do you consent to having an injection of Shida Ani’s blood and accept that there is no guarantee your tongue will regrow?”

M.I. nodded.

“I have tested this blood to the best of my abilities and have not found any harmful pathogens but there are still risks and your body may reject her blood completely. Though no one has been hurt by her blood before, do you accept the unknown risks of being injected with Shida Ani’s blood?”

Again, M.I. nodded without a doubt.

“Okay, good.” Aino’s face was smooth and calm as he washed his hands, put on gloves, and set up the syringe. “Please, open your mouth.”

M.I. complied and closed his eyes as Aino wedged a foam block between his teeth and reached into his mouth. The surgeon’s hands were nimble and gentle enough that M.I. could barely feel the needle piercing his open wound. The room grew quiet as Aino slowly injected Ani’s blood. When it was empty, he withdrew the syringe and block, placing everything back in the small black box and stowed it away in his pocket again.

“How are you feeling?” Aino asked, checking the patient’s throat both outside and in. “Any swelling? Shortness of breath? Nausea?” M.I. shook his head three times.

“Please call me right away,” Aino said to Shouto. “If anything about his condition changes, for either the worse or the better, keep me informed.”

“I will. Thank you, Aino.”

M.I. folded his hands and bowed his head in thanks.

“Don’t thank me yet.” He rubbed his forehead. “I’ve seen Ani’s blood do some amazing things...but I'm not sure if it can do this.”

M.I.’s eyes fluttered closed.

His boss asked “are you feeling tired now?” M.I. nodded. “That’s probably Ani’s blood...regenerating always drained her energy.” Shouto watched his sidekick grow drowsy and his eyes suddenly fought to stay open. He made a small scribbling motion with his fingers; he was asking for a pen. Aino pulled one out of his pocket, he always had one on hand, but they couldn’t find any paper.

M.I., losing his battle against fatigue, scribbled two words on his hand.

Goggles.

Locator.

The pen fell from his hand as he passed out, asleep, and Shouto’s heart shined. He pulled out his phone and was talking with the support-team-leader before Aino could blink.

“Can you trace the location of M.I.’s goggles?”

“Yes, why? Goddamned it did he lose them again?!"

“Yes, but they’re at the L-O-V hideout where M.I. had been taken, where Ani is, and we need to find that location now."

“Damn. I’m on it.” They hung up.

Fuck, Bakugo was right. It was annoying as fuck. Shouto shouted out into the hall for Midoriya, Utsubei, Flora, Tashkei, and Aves, all of whom had not gone far. He explained the situation in one breath, displaying M.I.’s hand.

“Why the fuck are we still standing around here for?! Let’s go!” Bakugo snarled.

Shouto nodded. “We need to go to my agency. We can meet with the police there and—”

“The police?! We’re goddamned heroes, what the fuck do we need them for?!”

“For processing,” Utsubei interjected. “Nationwide resources. You're going to want back-up on this; even though you’re the top three.”

“He’s right,” Deku agreed. “Let’s do this properly. I’ll meet you there with my team.”

“Same,” Utsubei said. “I’m going to contact my supervisor right now. Do you want me to get in touch with the Dagoben police?”

“Yes, please.” Utsubei quickly left and Shouto turned to Bakugo. “Will you come to the agency, too?”

“Yeah, yeah. Just don’t piss away this chance half-and-half.” He jammed his fists in his pockets and stormed out. Midoriya followed after a quick good-bye.

Aves glanced at Flora who nodded. “We’ll come, too.” They sounded sure but Flora’s eyes...they gave away how torn she was and Shouto knew what to do.

“Flora, I need you to stay here,” Shouto said with a pointed look and she turned to him with reservation.

“Why?” She askd quietly.

“Because,” Shouto glanced at Aino. “M.I. has received a special treatment and he needs someone to watch over him—someone who can do that and protect the delicate information of our agency.”

Flora nodded slowly, understanding burning in her eyes. “I can do that.”

“Good,” said Shouto. “If any part of his condition changes, let Dr. Shida know right away."

“Dr. Shida like Shida Ani’s older brother who’s a surgeon at a hospital in Dagoben?” Aves's voice flowed as she looked at the odd-man out in the room, Ani’s older sibling who gave an awkward half-smile. Aves’s eyes grew wide and she opened her mouth to unleash a barrage of questions but Flora placed a gentle hand on the girl’s arm.

“Find Ani.” The calming green of her eyes brought Aves back to reality.

“Right. We will,” Aves said with a determined nod.

As the two girls were talking, Shouto glanced at a notification on his phone: M.I.’s locator was live and active. They were tracking the signal and setting up for a mission in the agency, waiting for him to arrive or instruct their next move.

"Let's go," urged Shouto. "I don't want to lose this chance."

“Best of luck, to all of you.” Flora gave a small bow of her head and pulled a chair up next to M.I.’s bed.

“Dr. Shida will explain what to watch for, Flora. If there are any issues with the hospital staff, call our legal team right away.” His sidekick gave a nod of confirmation and Shouto left the room with Tashkei and Aves. They were nearly at the stairs when Aino called after Shouto. He came sprinting down the hall.

“Shouto, I need you to come to my apartment.”

“What?” Shouto's brow furrowed in irritation. “Why?!”

“I need to tell you something.” Aino glanced nervously at Tashkei and Aves who was staring at him with her wide, interested eyes. “There’s something I have to do if you’re going to go out on a mission to go get Ani.”

Shouto ground his teeth in annoyance. Every moment wasted put him farther from the love of his life. “Aino I don’t have ti—”

“Then make time.” Aino glared at the pro-hero with the same look of unshakable conviction that reminded him of Ani. “I’ll come to the agency if I have to.”

“Fine,” Shouto agreed. “Come to the agency.”

“I’ll be waiting in the clinic.” Aino turned down the hall to the elevators and Shouto was about to finally make it to the stairs when a chilling sound of static ripple through the hospital. The ice-fire hero paused and Aves froze, too, as they heard a voice echoing from every tv.

“Hello wary sheep of this tired, superficial society.”

The hair on Shouto’s neck stood on end as he rushed to the nearest screen. A mock-courtroom. A row of people sat in the judicial panel, their faces cast in shadow by black hoods, and in front of them, casually sitting on the clerk’s desk with her face completely exposed, was Hogo Sareta. She sat with her legs crossed and looked into the camera with a caring gaze.

It was beginning.

“Many of you do not yet know me...but I assure you after this you will see my name and face labeled as a villain... I’m not worried if you choose to believe this or not because it’s not about me. It’s about you. The tired. The beleaguered. Those who feel like they’ve been forgotten. Stepped on like dirt by so-called heroes who look down on others because of a number they’re given in a popularity contest.

“A contest that burns away your hard-earned money in a fire that offers you nothing but a distraction from the daily lives they’ve trapped you in. When really, they should be bowing down to you.” Shouto’s hatred hardened with every word.

“You, who pay their salaries. Who open their hearts and cities to heroes who do nothing but interfere and shape the world how they see it. Now...I’m not a hero... I’m a simple person who’s tried to make her way in the world and seen too many others trampled on by these self-obsessed false idols who chase nothing but their own interests. You’re worshipping those who care nothing about you. How do I know?

“I have been working tirelessly in the shadows for you...to set you free from these shackles your government has forced on you. And your heroes? Instead of paying attention to you, to what’s happening in their own cities...they’ve been looking for one person, and one person only.” The camera pulled back to dramatically reveal a person sitting at Hogo Sareta’s feet, face covered with a burlap bag.

The air around Shouto thinned.

“And why? Because this person can regenerate. She offers the heroes a never-ending fountain of youth reserved only for themselves and whoever they consider deserving of such a privilege.” She slowly shook her head with a pained expression.

"How many of you have been in pain? Suffered? Or watched a loved one endure pain and suffering and die because you were told there was no one who could help?” She let her words hang dangerously in the air. “How would you feel to know that your heroes had a way to help...that there was something they could have done?

“What makes you and your loved ones unworthy of such a gift in your time of need? Why should your heroes get to decide who gets such a blessing, when, and how?! My woeful wanderers...allow me to open my heart to you and offer what your heroes would never consider.” She slid off of the podium, pulling the black bag off the person at her feet to reveal Ani’s face. Shouto was not surprised to see her but he was disheartened. She looked empty. Forlorn and beaten...nothing like the person he saw in M.I.'s memory. Her face, voice flashed back to him: Tell him I’m waiting for him. He had to believe that person was still there buried beneath whatever drastic torture and coercion she had endured in the short time since M.I.’s return.

“Come, see for yourselves this power of regeneration your so-called heroes have kept for themselves, how you have worshiped them and they have given you nothing. Come...Join me and be set free—” she leaned down, took a fistful of Ani’s lush regrown hair and put a knife at her throat “—in the blood of absolution.

In one smooth slice she cut through Ani’s neck and a fountain of dark blood gushed out. Ani’s eyes rolled in to the back of her head and Hogo Sareta let go of her hair, dropping the limp, spasming body to the ground. Someone in the hospital screamed. People all around him gasped and gagged.

Shouto was shaken to his core. He had just watched Ani die. No. He was trying to hold onto rationality. No. She couldn’t have. No, they wouldn't have killed her...

“Come and be freed from your title of unworthy.” Hogo Sareta gave one more knowing smile to the camera as she grabbed Ani by the hair and pulled her up. The gash on her throat had already closed and Ani’s wide eyes bored into the camera. “Join me...my children."

The broadcast vanished, replaced by whatever this waiting room had been watching before the hacked broadcast. Fearful commentary and mixed reactions, questions for the heroes began to rise around him and Shouto didn’t hesitate to pull Aves and Taskhei to the stairs and run out of the hospital.

Chapter 57: All About The Perspective

Chapter Text

Adrenaline coursed through Shouto. It was the only thing keeping him going at this point; he could not remember how long it had been since he last slept and he didn’t want to figure it out. He had to keep going. They had a direct lead on Ani. The Absolved made their first move. The stakes were only getting higher with every passing hour and he couldn’t let himself stop. But when Tashkei and Aves reached his car they didn’t get in.

“What are you doing?” He demanded impatiently. “We have to get back to the agency now!”

Tashkei stepped forward meeting his uncle’s eye. “Let me drive.”

“What? Why?!”

“Because you need to rest, Shouto.” Aves stepped to Tashkei’s side.

The two-tones of his eyes darkened. “We don’t have time for this.”

“No Ani doesn’t have time for this!” Tashkei argued. “We can see how tired you are, Uncle Sho! And when this whole thing blows up, and Ani needs you the most, you need to be ready to save her!”

“I have to get things done on the way!” Shouto grit his teeth when Tashkei stepped between him and the car.

“I can do them,” Aves insisted. “Make a list of phone calls or whatever else has to be done and I’ll do it.”

“And I’ll drive,” repeated Tashkei. “So you can get some sleep...And be ready for Ani.”

Fatigue sank through his whole body and he relented. “Fine. Be safe but get us there as fast as you can.” He gave up the car keys and they all piled in. Before Aves finished dialing the first phone number he passed out.

 

Blue.

Like the ocean.

Calming. Welcoming and yet aloof. Deep. Watching. Waiting.

Shouto’s eyes flew open and he saw they were turning down the block to the Todoroki Agency. His heart was beating wildly, sweat dewed across his back as he woke from the dream of Ani. His mind was so much clearer from that short rest and, though he could feel his body needed more, it was enough to recharge him for now.

Tashkei carefully wove through the swelling crowd of reporters to the line of security who let them through without a problem and parked in Shouto’s spot; all three of them rushed out. Dojire was waiting for them at the door.

“Dagoben police are waiting upstairs as are several pro-heroes and their sidekicks,” he informed his boss as he fell into step beside him. “The support team has set-up in mission room four, they’re actively monitoring the location of M.I.’s goggles.”

“It’s still live?” Shouto asked as they stepped into the elevator.

“Yes.” Dojire offered a tablet displaying the location.

Shouto exhaled with unabashed relief. “Good. What pros are here?”

“Bakugo and Kirishima, Kaminari, Uraraka and one of her sidekicks, Yaoyorozu and Jiro, Mina and two sidekicks. More are on their way. We’ve received calls from Midoriya’s agency, Tokoyami, and Iida who are all on their way.”

“Anything else I need to know?” Shouto asked as the elevator stopped.

“Yes,” Dojire said. The doors opened and Shouto paused, fists clenching at the sight of his father down the hall dressed in his hero uniform, speaking with police officers. Dojire, knowing it was too late to warn him, quietly admitted “Endeavor’s here.”

Shouto stormed out of the elevator as Dojire ushered everyone else into the mission room.

“Why are you here.”

Endeavor met his son’s demand with a calm expression. “I saw the broadcast. I’m here to help.”

“I don’t need your help,” stated Shouto.

“It’s not about you.” Endeavor stared at his son. “It’s about Ani.” Before Shouto could retort the retired pro-hero added “after everything she’s done for our family I cannot sit by and watch what is happening. I need to help.”

Their minds flashed to the same memory, each from their own perspective.

 


“Endeavor, I’m sorry to bother you...but...I think Mrs. Todoroki is being abused at the hospital.”

 

“How could you not tell me?!” Shouto yelled; it was the only time he was ever driven to rage by Ani’s actions. “How could you keep this from me but tell MY FATHER!”

Ani stood her ground. “Because I wasn’t sure. I needed help looking into it from someone who could be impartial. You care so much about your mother’s safety and would have put too much faith in what I have to say! When I worked in the ER we had specific staff for investigating cases of potential abuse. If I saw something and was unsure of what it meant, it was always handed off to someone who could investigate from a clear, calm position.”

“And you don’t think I could be calm about this?!” snapped Shouto. He heard the words, how he said them, and could see it in her eyes; she would have laughed if it the situation wasn’t so serious. “Fine!” he relented and gave a heavy huff. “I see your point. But why my father?!”

“Because...” Ani admitted “I thought he deserved a chance to make up for everything he’s done.”

 

“Let me help with his, my son. For her.” Endeavor asked his son in what, Shouto was sure, was the most humble way he could.

Shouto knew if there was ever a time to set the past aside, it was now. “Let’s go.”

They went in together.

 

~

 

Ani watched until the screen went black and Hogo Sareta disappeared along with her clone. Silence followed, disturbed only by the soft fire crackling.

It had begun.

She couldn’t bring herself to move from the couch, anchored with the message Hogo Sareta had just broadcast to the world. She wondered if Hogo understood the significance of what she’d done to Ani with that message...because it didn’t matter that someone stood guard outside the room; she had no desire to go anywhere now. Everyone would know her face and know what she could do. Wherever Ani went, whatever she did...she wouldn’t be herself. She would only be seen for the value of her blood as a means to an end. Hogo had taken her true freedom and, in doing so, made her more of a prisoner than physical walls and locks ever could.

Soft voices came from the hall and the door opened a moment later. Hogo Sareta walked in; the guard closed the door behind her. “Glad to see you’re still here, Yoyo,” said Hogo.

Ani frowned. “...yoyo?”

“Because you always bounce back,” the formidable woman said with a smirk over her shoulder; the name gave Ani heartburn. Hogo brought over two steaming cups and set one down on the table in front of Ani. “Have some tea.”

“No, thank you.”

Hogo sat across from Ani with a shrug. “Well, it’s there if you want it.” She sipped loudly and studied Ani over the rim of her mug. “Have you found anything good to read?”

“No.” Ani’s eyes shifted to the fire.

“Have you looked?” She gestured to the walls lined with book-filled shelves.

“No.”

Hogo leaned back, watching Ani curiously. “Why not? We might have something that interests you.” She crossed her legs. Took another sip.

“You probably do,” admitted Ani. “But I don’t feel like reading right now."

“What would you rather do, then?” Hogo asked. She sounded almost genuine. Almost.

Go back in time. Ani's eyes evenly returned to the woman sitting across from her. “It doesn't matter.”

“It matters to me, Ani.” Hogo sipped her tea then traced the rim of the mug. “I care about what you’ve been through. I want to better understand you so I can help you.”

“What I’ve been through...” Ani’s face grew solemn. “Has been nothing compared to what my life will be like now...”

“Now that what?”

“Now that you’ve told everyone in the world that my blood can heal people.” Ani stared blankly at Hogo. “You don’t want to understand me. You want to use me.”

“Of course I do. You are an incredibly important person and I want to understand you. To make you feel valuable.”

“I’m not a commodity,” stated Ani. “You cannot offer my body up to the world and then say you care about what I’ve been through.”

Hogo smiled forgivingly at Ani. “Why not? It’s true your blood’s going to help us do great things, but why can’t I also care about you as a person?”

Ani grew quiet as she watched Hogo calmly sitting sipping her tea. “Because those desires contradict each other.”

“Contradict...each other...” Hogo gave a knowing smile. “Do you know what else contradicts itself? A nurse who claims to care for others...when she kept her power selfishly to herself and let so many go unaided.” Another drink of tea. She finished the mug and set it on the table between them. “Tell me...did it feel good to stay so healthy compared to others? To know your body had a safety net no one else had?

“How long did you work for those heroes? Caring only for them? Using your blood to save their lives and no one else’s?” She stared into Ani’s eyes watching as she hit Ani’s weakest spot. “Can you really think so highly of yourself when you were failing so many others who were suffering?”

Ani went rigid and the color slowly drained from her face replaced by the orange-yellow glow of the fire. Hogo Sareta remained placid as Ani’s eyes unfocused in her mental turmoil.

Ani thought of every patient she ever helped who had been beyond saving. Saving them meant something but Hogo’s words...they connected to a deeper river of worry Ani had tried to ignore.

 

She was only one person, right?

 

How many people could she have saved?

 

She remembered Midoriya’s words from what felt like so long ago now: I think you’ll find a way to use it to the best of its limits, no matter where you are, as long as you’re looking to help others.

What he said to her that night on the balcony had reassured her decision to join Shouto at his agency...but now...Hogo’s words cast an unavoidable shadow of doubt on the motivation behind her decision. Ani swallowed thickly.

Had she really joined his agency to help people? Or had she been so caught up in the intensity of her own feelings that she ignored the greater need and lived selfishly?

Ani’s mind was beginning to spin as she buried her fingers in her hair, holding her head as she tried to stay calm and keep her breathing even.

Who had she become??!

“Yoyo,” Hogo Sareta’s voice gently cut through the noise storming in Ani’s mind and she looked up, eyes meeting. “You can make this right.”

Ani’s breathing became shallow as she stared up from her hunched position.

“You have a chance now to help people. To really help others...Instead of being told by false idols that you’re helping the suffering...when really you were only serving them.” Hogo slid from her seat to the small table and came in front of Ani, gently pulling her hands from her hair. “Please, let me help you...

“You don’t have to live with this guilt." Her warm hands cupped Ani’s and drew the blue eyes to her face. “Let me help you...we can make this right...together.”

Chapter 58: Absolved

Notes:

*Possible Trigger Warning*

Mentions of Rape

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"Who are you?”

The question had been innocent, simple enough and it slipped from Ani’s mouth without her ever really deciding to say it. Once it was out, she didn’t want to take it back. She stared at this intense person sitting in front of her as the firelight danced across her face with orange flickers and highlighted the scar on her lip stretched in a smile.

“I thought you’d never ask.”

She rose from the coffee table and pulled out a book; Ani saw it was a yearbook. Hogo flipped through almost fondly, the scar on her top lip tightening in a smirk as she found the page she wanted. She handed the open book to Ani. “This is me...when I was in seventh grade.”

Ani found Hogo’s picture among the rows. She was grinning ear-to-ear at the camera with a head of curly cotton-candy locks and no scar across her lip. Without thinking, Ani quietly said “you look so happy.”

“I was.” Hogo sat down on the couch opposite Ani again and crossed her legs. “And for good reason. My parents were successful accountants. I was in the top of my class. Well behaved. Worked hard. My prospects for attending Shiketsu High were very good.”

Ani glanced at Hogo with a confused look. “Shiketsu?”

“U-A-of-the-West, they’re called.” Hogo smiled fondly at the open yearbook. “I have great admiration...almost envy...for that girl who lived with ignorant, idealistic fantasies about the world she lived in. That girl who wanted to be a hero.”

“What happened...?” Ani tentatively asked, trying to understand what could have caused such an extreme shift.

Hogo looked at her evenly. “I was raped.” Ani’s breath shallowed and a faint color rose to her cheeks, concern for the formidable woman. “Look two pictures to the left, one row up.”

Ani followed the directions and saw the equally happy grin of a young boy.

Hogo stated “I liked him. Quite a bit. He was the actual top of the class. Impressive quirk. Strong skills both in and out of the classroom. He was well liked and popular, not just among the students, either. Teachers...parents...many people fawned over him and I was one of them. He wanted to be a hero as so many children do.”

Ani held very still, listening intently to Hogo’s every word.

“We were walking home from school one day, debating about the schools we would be applying to the next year...Shiketsu...or, in his case, UA.” There was a pop from the fire place but neither woman flinched, too lost in the story. “He didn’t like my personal opinion of the nation’s top school. Considered it a personal affront so he challenged me to a duel of sorts. Right then-and-there. We crossed the street and went into an alley, and fought." There was a whisper of a smirk across her face. "He didn’t like the fact that he lost. Surprising, really...how quickly his attitude toward me soured.

“And the next day, at school, he made a big deal of it. I thought he would want to keep his loss to himself but he spun it around. He told everyone about it. That I cheated.” Hogo closed her eyes and took a steadying breath before continuing. “The dissociation was swift. No one wanted to disappoint or upset the number one...so they accepted his story without question. Heckling began and grew more and more intense over the following weeks until I finally snapped and challenged him again.

“Foolishly I did so when we were still at school and I was punished. My parents were furious and embarrassed. They didn’t even want to hear what happened from me. If that wasn’t bad enough...I was attacked on my way home from school one day. This golden boy had gathered a group of our peers to ambush me on the way home from school one day...knowing he couldn't handle me on his own. I still don’t know how he got them to come with him but I knew how he got them to stay. They held me down and watched...while he raped me. And then they each raped me in turn.”

Hogo Sareta’s eyes opened to find Ani’s eyes tight and her mouth parted in horror.

“I was ostracized for simply besting him in a fight...so I truly feared what would happen if I accused him, accused all of them, of something as extreme as that no matter how truthful, and told the police about what happened. I wondered...but I knew the whole school would rally around him.” She sighed. “The whole time it happened all I could think about was: where are the heroes? Aren’t we supposed to be safe because they’re here? All around us, all the time? The experience was transformative and I saw how the world really worked.

“I began to withdraw with cold shame...feeling as if I had somehow brought this on myself. My actions, challenging him to the duel, or something had triggered his vehement behavior. I moved through life as a ghost. Left my dreams of being a hero far behind and wandered aimlessly into my next year of school and stood by as he proclaimed his acceptance to the best hero school in the nation.” Hogo folded her hands in her lap. “My parents were...indifferent to my change in personal aspirations.

“They didn’t care if I became a hero or not. Blind to what might have spurred on this change or maybe just too tired to care. They had no interest in finding out why I no longer believed in the power of heroes. So when they mentioned they heard about the boy from my class getting into UA...and expressed pride that their daughter came from the same class I snapped. I stormed out.” Hogo smiled at something private. “I was angrily sulking through the streets when I saw him strolling casually as if he ran the city. Our eyes met and my fate changed in that moment. I mirrored the arrogant smirk he gave me and I saw a flash of confusion in his eyes as I backed toward the park nearby. He followed me, hands stuffed in his pockets, and I could feel his curious gaze boring into the back of my head as I led him into a dark corner.

“He made some quip in that moment...and I didn't respond. My answer...was action: I began to hurt him. He tried to fight back, even managed to give me this scar,” she traced her lip. “And then his fight eroded and he began to beg for his life. Apologizing over and over again, asking to make up for it.” A dangerous smile spread across her face. Her eyes unfocused. “He atoned for his sin when I ended his life. Extinguished that bright, beautiful future right there without a second-thought. His screaming in the process, however, drew the attention of heroes who were conveniently around then. I was arrested without hesitation.

“My parents were embarrassed, mortified. The school outraged. Police and heroes were a mix of disbelief and horror. There was no excuse for my behavior and no one wanted to know why I had done it. I didn’t bother to tell them either because I knew they didn’t care and they wouldn’t listen. In the reflection of everyone else’s eyes I could see a monster...a villain-in-the-making. But when I looked inside myself...all I saw was peace. I didn’t feel like a villain...not like a hero...but somewhere in between.

“I was sent to a juvenile correction facility and served my time. Aside from killing that boy I had done nothing wrong. I behaved. Paid my debt back to society. And when I was released, I hoped for a chance to start again. I was clinging to some naïve notion that there would be a way to redeem myself. I was met with unconditional dismissal at every turn.

“My parents didn’t even show up the day I got out. When I made it home, they refused to let me in. The shame was too much for them and they apologized, too, but sent me away all the same. My friends denied my existence and I searched for someone to listen to me. To hear why I did what I did and validate me. To make me feel like I was still a person...and I realized...there would be no one.

“The forgiveness I longed for would come from only one place: me. I knew the truth about my actions. I knew my motivations and, even if no one else ever saw it or believed it, I knew. I set myself free. Free from the guilt of taking another person’s life, the guilt that what he did had somehow been my fault. Free from this black-and-white society with it’s clear-cut definitions of right and wrong.

“I slowly started to meet others. People like myself who had wandered in the vast gray borderline dividing our society, who needed someone to listen to them. To understand and validate them. To forgive them. They found that in me. And I found it over and over again in them.” Hogo’s face relaxed and she gazed peacefully at Ani. “Together, we were absolved.”

“And they started to call you mom?” Ani tentatively asked.

Hogo nodded. “Yes. Because we became a family.”

“And we’ve been one ever since.”

Ani’s head whipped to the door to see a bald woman and a man with slicked-back, blue hair standing in the doorway. The woman smiled fondly at Hogo while the man was like a statue, arms-crossed staring at Ani

“Yes, we have.” Hogo welcomed the woman who laid down on the couch and placed her head in Hogo’s lap as the fuchsia-haired woman turned back to Ani. “And we continue to grow, accepting those who feel out-of-place in this stark world.”

“Why haven't you called the public to join you sooner?” Ani asked. “Why wait until now, if you’ve been together all this time, to step into the light and announce your presence?”

Hogo leaned into the couch, resting an arm on the back as she ran her fingers the bald woman’s head as if there was hair. “Despite how enlightened I believe myself to be...I’m still only human. We lost someone very special to us and have been distracted by the lure of revenge for a long time. But an opportunity presented itself, coming from someone who was equally enraged, and we’re taking it.”

“What opportunity?”

A wickedness surfaced in Hogo’s expression as she answered “the opportunity for atonement."

Notes:

Made a quick edit; I said Hogo's scar was on her upper lip but it's not!

Chapter 59: Believe

Notes:

*NSFW*

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Aino was sitting in Ani’s office waiting as patiently as any head-of-surgery whose sister had been kidnapped could wait for her pro-hero boyfriend to get out of a mission-planning meeting to rescue said sister. Leaning back in her chair, he spun around. Wondered about her choices for the things in this clinic. When he heard the front door open, he stood up and leaned out of her office to see a very tired Shouto. Bags hung under the heterochromatic eyes as they rose to Aino’s face.

“Thanks for waiting.” He sounded as tired as he looked. “What did you need to talk to me about?”

The surgeon motioned for him to come into Ani’s office. “About something Ani made for you.”

A spark of energy flared in the pro-hero's eyes and he hastened to join Aino. “What is it?”

“These.” Aino stood by five black boxes, the size of briefcases, stacked on Ani’s desk with a burdened look on his face. He lightly brushed the pristine boxes as if there was dust and opened it to reveal rows of small vials. Shouto held his breath as he saw the plum-colored liquid inside.

Ani’s blood.

“Ani came to me a long time ago with an idea...” Aino slid his fingers across the rows and gently lifted one from the foam. “She wanted a way to protect you and your sidekicks when you were out in the field, when she couldn’t be there to help or heal you, and believed this was the solution.” He offered one it to the pro-hero. “It’s a micro-dose of her blood. Concentrated down to provide maximum healing possible in such a small volume.”

Shouto rolled the vial between his fingers and asked “how powerful?”

“That vial was made from two pints of blood.” When Shouto gave the surgeon a questioning look, Aino offered “there’s about 5.5 pints of blood in the average human and people are supposed to donate only one pint every two months. Ani said it took about a pint to save your life.”

Shouto sank back against the doorframe. The tiny vial was smaller than the capsules on his utility belt yet it held so much power. His fist curled around the glass, mind reeling at the unfathomable amount of time and energy it must have taken her to make one of these and the black box was filled with rows of them.

And there was a stack of boxes.

“How many are there?” He asked in a tight voice.

Aino watched the pro-hero as he answered “450.”

Shouto tilted his head back and let that number numbingly crash over him. “How long did it take you?”

“A long time,” was all Aino answered. He watched the pro-hero tilt his head back and close his eyes. “Why do you look wracked with guilt?”

“Because Ani did all of this without telling me. She pushed herself so far and I can’t imagine what would have motivated her to go through this.”

“Isn’t that obvious?” Aino asked. He might’ve laughed if the situation wasn’t what it was. “You.”

Shouto looked at the surgeon. Sure, he knew Ani loved him as much as he loved her...but this was...this was exponentially more powerful.

“Shouto, I don’t know if Ani has ever told you, and don’t take this the wrong way, but for a long time Deku was her favorite hero. She looked up to him...admired his ideals...and tried to emulate his self-sacrificing nature. For years she worked in the hospital, rarely taking a day off and pushing herself to be there as much as possible to work and help and do as much as she could for everyone she could, to ‘go beyond’ as she would say to me.

“But then...she met you...and she started to change.” Aino’s eyes drifted across the room as he spoke. “She still wanted to help people and worked as hard as she could...but it was how she approached it that evolved. That martyrdom shifted into something more appreciative of life itself and it took me a while to figure out what happened: she was happy. And she was happy because of you.

“Being with you. Working with you...she started to enjoy life and that happiness spilled over into every part of her life. Before meeting you, she never wanted anything more than to work in the ER and save people. After saving your life, and then Bakugo’s, she started to see things differently and then she started working here and her world expanded. She wasn’t sure if she really wanted the world to know what she could do but she knew she could do more. More to help others in need, like innocent people caught in the cross-fire of a villain’s attack. Like your sidekicks. You.

“As I said in the hospital, she always believed those people would come back for her until they succeeded and she didn’t want to leave you behind without any protection.” Aino held up his hands as Shouto opened his mouth to protest. “She never considered you weak. It was her obstinate nature to make sure you had a reserve like this hoping, of course, you would never really need it. But now...” He met the pro-hero's eye squarely.

“I hope you won’t need them but after seeing that broadcast today...I know things are going to escalate. These need to be with you and your team.” He lifted another one from the foam, needing to do something to dispel the heavy atmosphere. “Each vial has a needle—” he popped a cap off one end to show him “—for quick injection, easy to self-administer, and is made of indestructible glass.”

He set the tube down on Ani’s desk and brought the hard-end of a stapler down like a hammer. It shot out, denting Ani’s wall and the glass rolled back to Aino, unbroken. “She was considering distributing them to hospitals and other first-responders, too, but never got the chance to share them before this happened.”

“A powerful, light-weight, indestructible healing treatment,” Shouto described. He stared down at the gift Ani had left to help him and so many people. His soul wanted to fly out and cross the universe to find her. To save her. Because even though she was the victim right now, she was still saving him. One corner of his mouth lifted. “She can’t help herself, can she?”

“She can’t.” Aino smiled. “She’s got your back, Shouto.”

Shouto’s face fell, feeling the weight of her absence and the need to bring her home. “And I’ve got hers. I’ll bring her home, Aino,” he assured.

“I know you will,” answered the surgeon without a doubt.

Shouto glanced at the boxes. “Is there anything else I need to know about them?”

“About these?” Aino asked. “No. They’re good to go. Don’t need any special storage or handling.”

“But...” Shouto sensed what went unsaid.

Aino faced the pro-hero with a guarded expression. “There’s one more thing Ani prepared for you.”

 

~

 

Ani’s eyes widened and everything clicked into place. For that microsecond, everything was clear. That broadcacst; all of this...was a trap.

Ani never should have doubted herself. These people were murderers, kidnappers, liars, and who knew what else. She was not like them. She had worked her whole life to save people and had no guilt about her choices...their words were meant to manipulate her into carrying out this wretched plan. Whatever happened to Hogo was terrible, of course, but it didn’t mean that’s what all heroes were like. Deku. Bakugo. Shouto...they were all a testament to that.

And Hogo’s plan, now revealed, was already in action.

As fast as she could move, Ani grabbed her mug of tea and lobbed it at the brawny blue-haired man by the door and kicked the coffee table, spirit ablaze with truth and fight for those she loved. There was a strange sound and the mug shattered, raining tea across the carpet as the coffee table just bounced off of Hogo’s legs. Hogo and the bald woman leapt to their feet. Ani was already diving to the floor, subconsciously noting the failures of each attack, and reached into the fire. She brandished a flaming log as a weapon ignoring the pain as it burned her skin. There was a streak of fear in Hogo’s eyes at the dancing fire before the wooden chunk was knocked from her hand and she was slammed to the floor. Though no one held her down she couldn’t move, held in place by what felt like an invisible, impenetrable sandpaper. She could barely breathe.

She stared up at the ceiling with fear but also anger, healing anger, as she found herself again and promised she would never doubt herself or her heroes again, no matter what she was facing. Three faces appeared over her and Hogo Sareta squatted down.

“You're bold. I'll give you that...coming at us without knowing what our quirks are.” She patted Ani's cheek so hard it was nearly a slap. "But you're completely outmatched. Your heroes, too..." Firelight danced dangerously in her eyes. "And it's time to unburden this country from the oppression of their bourgeois. No matter how strong the number one hero is...He can't defeat me."

 

~

 

Shouto dreamed of her. It would have been hard not to after everything that happened. Dreams bled into memories.

 


The moment they were alone on the floor Shouto locked his door, pushing her up against it as he shoved his tongue in her mouth. She already had her legs wrapped around him, arms wound around his neck, submitting her tongue to his. She moved her hips. He moaned while she was grinding against his growing erection and felt her own spot heat at his sound. He pulled her off of the door, carrying her across his office to his desk as he kissed furiously down her neck.

“You were intoxicating during that meeting,” Ani said breathlessly as he squeezed her ass. Her eyes rolled as he found the sensitive spot on her neck, sucking it with charged enthusiasm. “When you rolled up your sleeves I thought I was going to melt.”

She felt him grin against her skin. “I know. I did it on purpose,” he pridefully admitted as he laid her down on his desk. She dragged her hands up and down his arms and hummed as he went back to her neck. She savored the rough texture of his scar on her cheek as he marked her neck.

“And what about you?” He demanded, fingers running through her hair as his other hand moved to the hem of her shirt. “You took your hair down just for that meeting, didn’t you.”

She bit her lip, trying to contain the embarrassing smile. “Maybe.”

“Were you hoping it would make me think of this?" he loomed over her and took in the sight of her hair splayed out on his massive wooden desk, her chest rising and falling with labored breath as color flushed her face. “Seeing you laid out across my desk?”

She nodded, blushing furiously and grabbed his shirt, buttons threatening to pop open with the force as she brought his lips back down to hers. He propped himself on one forearm and palmed her breast making her arch her back and press her mouth up into his. He ground his hard cock between her legs, drawing soft hums and panting breath from her.

He pulled back momentarily from her and pulled her pants off. She sat up and her fingers flew down his chest, unbuttoning his shirt by the time he had dropped his own pants. On an impulse he switched their positions, flipping her on top of him. As he lay flat on his back, staring up at her, he propped his feet up on his chair and watched the color rise to her face. There was something deeply carnal about her mounting him on his desk, in his office, in his building. Her eyes sparkled adoringly down on him and he realized what he was feeling. He wanted her above him now as expression of how important she was to him, more important than everything else: at the top of his world.

She pulled the shirt off her head, unrushed, sensing the change between them. They were no longer in a sprint toward a finish line. She asked him later what he had been thinking about, but in that moment she simply responded to him. How he savored the feeling of her skin, groped her ass, ran his fingers over every part of her he could reach as she slowly lowered, sliding down on top of him. Faint color rose to his own cheeks at her warmth, her wetness and tightness. He rolled his hips once and her breathing deepened; she planted her hands on his firm chest and squeezed her thighs around his body taking control.

And he let her.

He relinquished control of the speed, the movement, all to her and watched every detail. How she tilted her head, hair falling over her shoulders. The way her breasts bounced, nipples pink and pointed in the cold air. He could feel his release building with every squeezing, warm slip of her walls around him and their ragged breaths filling the office. He could feel her climax, too, in the tell-tale way her breath picked up, fingertips digging into him. Buried deep within her, his cock began to warm with the heat of his quirk and she moaned out, muscles spasming, as she orgasmed in response to the temperature. She clenched down in pleasure so tightly he immediately throbbed with his own release. He stared up at her, flushed and sated, mounted on top of him.

She was still panting when she gently laid down on his chest to rest and listen to his heart. He wrapped his arms around her.

“I love you, Ani.” His voice was layered with everything he was feeling: satisfaction. Appreciation. Protectiveness and possessiveness. And most of all: love.

“I love you, too, Sho.”

He felt her smile on his skin and her weight shift onto him as she fell asleep. He smiled, not caring his thighs were coated with both of their fluids, content to love and be loved.

 

His alarm went off.

He woke up in the clinic where he had slept after his meeting with Aino. He wanted to sleep here because he was so tired he didn’t think he could make it upstairs, let alone make it home. There was more to it, too, as if by sleeping here he would be closer to Ani. But now it was time.

When he rose from the bed he could feel a lingering need for sleep but there was something else, too. A new undercurrent of energy suddenly attainable, hidden dormant within him as it waited until he needed it.

For Ani.

Focusing on the rescue operation ahead he took one last look around the clinic and felt his resolution solidifying down to through the deepest parts of himself. This was going to work. They were going to bring her home.

Notes:

Are the nsfw flashbacks enjoyable or just jarring/distracting from the plot? I debated putting this one in or not, curious if anyone has some feedback

Chapter 60: Bring Her Home - Part One

Notes:

Quick edit to italicize radio conversations, hopefully make it a little easier/smoother to read

Chapter Text

Shouto crouched in the dark shadow of the line of trees watching the abandoned shipping yard.

Things are starting to get out of hand here, guys. Radio check,” Midoriya quietly said through the earpiece. Shouto could hear the growing commotion behind his friend's voice.

Bakugo replied with “go fuck yourself.

Seriously, Bakugo. Try to keep it professional,” Iida scolded.

Go fuck yourself, too.

How can you possibly be the number three hero?” Jiro retorted. Shouto ignored the snarky back-and-forth comments between his former classmates.

There was a croak. "Almost to location," Froppy said.

“Good check,” Shouto replied, actually acknowledging Midoriya’s prompt as his eyes caught something. “I’ve got movement.”

 

~

 

“For fuck’s sake, how much longer do we have to wait for this guy?” Twice demanded. “I mean, I know traveling at night can be tough.”

“It will take however long it takes,” Shigaraki grumbled, arms crossed, and his crazed eyes fell to the girl tied up at his feet. Dirtied and gagged, she sat slumped over. She had finally accepted her fate and stopped fighting them once they let the pathetic sidekick go and she even gave them first-rate medical care so they were all healthy and strong before they parted ways. If she wasn’t such a magnet for heroes he would’ve kept her around but she was too much of a liability. She had served her main purpose as payment to the Absolved and was going to give them a final parting gift: a generous lump-sum payment from an international associate.

“Why couldn’t we have just warped her to him, again?” Dabi asked lazily as he looked down at her with an almost regretful gaze. He adjusted the goggles he kept as a memento from his therapeutic stress-relief session with the sidekick.

“They wouldn’t agree to it...didn't want to share their location,” Kurogiri said from behind them as his yellow eyes scanned the horizon and caught sight of the shadow moving silently against the water. “They’re here.”

The villains immediately stood at attention in the shadow of the port watching the vessel grow larger.

“Wait, isn't that...” Dabi started to say. A high-pitched whistling sound cut through the air and Kurogiri grunted. The group turned to see their warp-gate passing out from a dart in his chest.

Twice proclaimed “a fucking hero ship!”

Dabi started to snarl “Shut U—”

“They already know where we fucking are!” Twice shouted back as more darts whistled through the air, striking the walls and ricocheting off the floor. “Let’s fucking go!!”

The captive girl cried out in pain as Dabi grabbed her arm and dragged her, jostling her dislocated shoulders and Twice hefted Kurogiri over his shoulder.

“I told you this was a trap!” Dabi spat at Shigaraki as they piled into the helicopter.

“Shut up and let’s just get the hell out of here!” The blue-haired man said as they dropped Kurogiri and the girl to the floor inside.

Toga giggled and squealed from the front seat as Twice slid in next to her. “Eeee! This is going to be so much fun!! I’m so glad we actually get to use this thing!!”

As the rotors began to spin the ceiling panels opened and they lifted off not a moment to soon. Something hit the ground where they had been and exploded, giving the helicopter a boost.

“Fuck! They’re not messing around!” Twice shouted and Dabi leaned out the door to release a torrent of blue flames down at the rapidly approaching vessel. The helicopter wavered dangerously as they avoided another missile shot up at them; it missed the aircraft and the group waited for the explosion that didn't come. Dabi glanced down at the ground and saw ice cradling the missile.

The temperature of the air dropped dramatically.

“Oh shit,” Twice said as a figure appeared in the air in front of them and ice shout out to the helicopter.

The broken girl gave a whimper of joy and Dabi kicked her. “This isn’t over yet,” he growled and shot flame out. It cleared the path ahead but the ice erupted from below, blocking the doors and trying to stop the rotors. The helicopter’s motor strained to pull out of the ice as Dabi hung out of the helicopter to battle the climbing ice. A strangle sound ‘fwipped’ through the air and Dabi, still trying to keep his youngest brother at bay, grunted. His fellow villains looked up in time to see him disappear, whipped out of the helicopter by a pink rope.

“Damn it,” Shigaraki cursed. He looked back down at the pathetic remains of the girl still struggling to stay alive. “Fine. If it’s you they want so badly, they can have you.”

He shoved her out of the helicopter.

She screamed, her legs flailed wildy, arms still tied behind her back, hair held down in ratty strands from the gag, as her body dropped into darkness toward the waiting, turbulent sea. Ice rolled up to meet her falling body and she slid down a frozen luge to the grassy banks below as the helicopter was completely encased in ice, entombed without their fire-user to free them.

The helicopter’s motor burned out, giving a violent sound of surrender from inside the ice.

 

Shouto looked down and saw Ani’s body safely roll to the ground. Tsu informed him Dabi was in their custody which left him free to turn his attention to the trapped helicopter. He burned his own hole through the ice and prepared to fight the unhinged prisoners.

Shouto!” He heard his name through the radio but was left in a speechless rage.

They had escaped.

“Damn it!” He snarled. “How the hell did they get away?! I thought you knocked out Kurogiri?!!”

We did-kero,” Tsu confirmed. “But if he had any of Shida’s blood in his system it might have worn off much quicker.” She croaked “Shouto—Dabi has the goggles.

Shouto tried not to be consumed by his own rage. There was no way they would be able to track them now but the League was not their primary target in this fight, especially as the situation in Musutafu was escalating. There was still so much to do.

Oh fuck,” he heard Bakugo over the radio. “Eyes on the target.

Shouto’s eyes flew down to the crumpled form down in the grass. He flew down the ice to her and gently rolled her over. He quickly undid the gag and wiped away the tears from her dirty face as she sobbed.

“Hey, hey, you’re okay,” he gently tried to comfort her.

She shook her head furiously, staring up at him with desperate blue eyes. Her voice cracked as she forced out a single word: “c-copy.”

Shouto nodded, heart feeling heavy with the truth he had already suspected. “I know.” He brushed the hair back from her face and saw the light fading from her eyes. “I’m sorry I couldn’t get here sooner.”

She sniffled and her eyes closed.

Her boddy softened and turned to gloopy muck that pooled around him.

Shouto tried to put the weight in his heart in perspective: it was a clone. It was just a clone. He was telling himself over and over again but the image of Ani dying in front of him was still too real, too disturbing.

He took a steadying breath.

“Port location just a copy,” he announced over a radio. “She’s gone.”

Confirmed,” Utsubei acknowledged.

If Utsubei was active on the channel it was because the other pro-heroes were too engaged in combat.

This wasn’t over yet. Not in the least.

“Utsubei, the League escaped. The sedative wore off too quickly and Kurogiri got them away.”

Utusubei copied “Froppy’s got Dabi secured and the tracker’s accounted for. That’s enough for now. Shouto we need you in Musutafu.

“What? Why?” He asked, already running back into the woods. Midoriya was supposed to be in Musutfau...

Bakugo, with the sounds of carnage in the background, growled “because Deku’s down you fucking half-and-half!

“What? How?!” Shouto was hurling himself through the woods now on thin spikes of ice.

Shit—” the sound of an explosion cut Bakugo’s voice off. Static rippled across the radio waves and it sent shivers down Shouto’s spine. He felt every cell in his body responding to the crackling words. “-ni—fou—d—nother—py—

“And?” Shouto demanded, hoping his fellow pro could hear him. “Is she dead or alive?”

Bakugo, status,” requested Utsubei.

Jiro, out-of-breath, responded “Bakugo was just buried under rubble! Ani or a copy of Ani or whatever is down there with him!

Shouto’s heart pounded. “Is she dead or alive?!” He demanded again.

We don’t know!” Iida said as sirens sounded in the background. They echoed through several of the pro-hero coms.

~

Bakugo groaned. Smelling no gas in the dusty darkness he lit a small explosion and illuminated the pocket of the building that had collapsed around him and Ani. He had thrown himself on top of her, setting off explosions around them to try and redirect the falling debris and it mostly worked. They were laying in a stable, shallow cave. Though they could hear the faint sounds of people and sirens outside he couldn’t see a way out.

He gently rolled her over and she groaned....she was alive. His heart was racing as he tried to call through his radio: “I’ve got Ani! Repeat I found Ani but I don’t know if it’s another copy!” Static was the only response.

“Damn it,” cursed Bakugo as he brushed dirt out of her face. “Hey, are you okay? Shida? For fuck’s sake, Shida, are you okay?!”

“Can you stop shouting?” She moaned. “You’re so loud.”

Relief flooded his veins. “Then answer me sooner.”

She sucked in a tight breath as she tried to shift and he saw the unnatural angle of her bent knee. “Yeah, sure thing kitten.”

“What did you just call me?” He barked.

With her eyes still closed, she gave him a crooked smile; it made his heart hurt. “Kitten. It’s what Ani called you when you found her in the park that night, right? A fire-breathing kitten?”

His heart sank. The way she talked about the memory made it clear: she was a clone.

“Yeah...” she gulped for air, eyes opened, as she tried to sit up. “I’m a clone. Sorry to disappoint you." She coughed.

“Who said I’m disappointed?” He grumbled. She rolled her eyes.

“Your face says it all.” She heaved a sigh and grimaced at the pain in her leg.

His eyes fell dejectedly to her injury. “Since you’re her clone, you have her quirk right? Can’t you regenerate from this?”

She chuckled weakly. “Yeah...Maybe the real Ani could easily get over it but this is a borrowed body. I don’t have the same resources she has.” She gave a raspy exhale. “I was really looking forward to seeing all of you put those fuckers in their place.”

The weight in his pocket grew heavier with every word she spoke. He knew the mission he agreed to...and it seemed so easy in theory...

Each breath was like the rise and fall of the ocean tide...

“Thanks, Katsuki...” she wheezed.

His chest tightened and he barely got the words out. “For what.”

“For staying with me.”

He snorted, his fists clenched angrily. “Yeah. Like I’ve really got a choice.”

"We all make choices." The color in her eyes, already muted by the darkness, was growing dimmer. “Don’t settle, Katsuki..." He felt each moment like a grain of sand falling in an hourglass as he listened. “You’re worthy of being loved back...”

A tear slipped down her cheek as her eyes fluttered shut.

 

~

 

The police helicopter flew Shouto in a straight line to Musutafu; it was so loud he wasn’t able to hear what was happening over the radio and he rode in anxious tension. The horizon was dotted with towers of smoke that only grew more ominous as they approached. Swaths of the city were in ruin. Fires raged from multiple places, some people were fighting in the street. Fighting each other, fighting heroes, but mostly fighting the situation to rescue victims trapped in rubble.

UA stood like a stronghold in the middle of it all, the only remaining place in the city that looked safe, and Shouto knew the school had opened it’s doors to protect the innocent. The pilot maneuvered through the columns of smoke toward the campus but Shouto leaped out over the city, riding a trail of ice to the ground.

“I’m in Musutafu. What’s the situation?” he asked over the radio and his feet hit the ground running. “Hello? Radio Check! Is anyone there?!”

He came out onto a main street and saw the chaos and destruction up close. Fires raged, store fronts were broken open and looted, people were helping each other out of damaged buildings and rushing to get to safety, wherever they could find it.

“Go to the UA campus!” He shouted, pointing in the school’s general direction. “You’ll be safe there!”

There was a mixed reaction throughout the crowds on the street. Many of them looked thankful at the sound of their number two hero’s voice while some gave him no more than a passing glance. Several of them glowered with conviction in their eyes that this was all happening because of the heroes but Shouto didn’t care. Let them think what they wanted. The priority right now was ending the attack and finding Ani.

The real Ani.

He took off running and kept shouting into his radio, still no one answered. On instinct he headed toward the center of the city. They had known the Hero Public Safety Commission was a potential target of the Absolved and the closer he got, the worse the damage was becoming. Not one building stood without some kind of damage and the streets were deserted. He heard angry shouts along with a ferocious explosion coming from an alleyway and he changed direction toward the familiar sound.

“Come on!” Bakugo shouted and nearly collided with Shouto as they came around the same corner. “Jesus, bastard!”

Shouto opened his mouth to ask Bakugo what happened with the radio but movement in the alley caught his eye. Bakugo glanced beside himself as the figure appeared wearing Bakugo’s black tank top over her tattered shorts, leaving the ash-blonde shirtless.

“Ani...” Shouto said, his mind pausing for a moment amidst the strain and stress.

“Take it easy hot shot,” snarled Bakugo as he angled himself in front of her. “She’s a clone.”

Shouto noticed, despite the dirt smearing her features and dust coating her hair, she was completely uninjured. Not even a scrape. Shouto’s brow dipped angrily and he shifted his attention back to Bakugo. He demanded “you used one of them. You healed her, didn’t you?!”

“She healed herself!” Bakugo snapped defensively.

Flame and frost prickled the air around the angry red-white head. “Those were for emergencies only!”

“At my own discrepancy, you lunatic!” Bakugo’s eyes blazed with an equal anger. “Sorry I couldn’t watch the woman I love die like you could!”

Shouto was ready to roar back when the clone cut in.

“Enough, you two! We don’t have time for this!” An explosion rumbled through the street and a ball of flame rolled up several blocks away. Fresh screams filled the night air and brought Shouto’s mind back into focus.

“Where’s Deku? You said he was hurt?”

“Yeh," answered Bakugo. "He saw Ani and tried to get her but the Absolved got to him first.”

“Is he—”

“No. He’s fine. We heard from him right before the radios went out. Your girlfriend’s magic blood saved him.”

Shouto breathed a sigh of relief. “Where’s Ani now?”

“Mom took her into the HPSC.”

Bakugo and Shouto turned to see Iida and Kirishima joining them at the corner. It was Iida who had spoken.

“It’s still standing?!" Bakugo asked in vexation.

“Yes. They’ve leveled everything around it but left it standing to make a point,” their old class rep informed the small group. “Jiro and Yaoyorozu are trying to get the radios back up. And nearly everyone else is doing damage control with the police trying to save victims and keep rioters and other villains at bay.”

Shouto didn’t need to ask how extensive the damage was; the city was being torn apart from the inside out. “Where’s Midoriya?”

“We don’t know,” Iida admitted. “But knowing him, he’s probably trying to get back to Ani and Mom.”

"That’s where we’re headed, too.” Kirishima nodded in that direction and clenched his fist. “Let’s end this.”

Chapter 61: Endure Part One

Chapter Text

Ani stared up at the ceiling with fear but also anger, healing anger, as she found herself again and promised she would never doubt herself or her heroes again, no matter what she was facing. Three faces appeared over her and Hogo Sareta squatted down.

“I guess there’s no reason to wait.”

She took a fistful of Ani's hair and dragged her by it. The sandpaper prison released and Ani grabbed Hogo’s wrist, trying to relieve some of the pain.

“Let me go!” She tried kicking but her feet slipped around, unable to get a grip...it was like the floor was slicked with oil as Hogo dragged her along. “I’ll never join you! Stop it!” She screamed “let me go!”

Her flailing did nothing more than a moth could have done, fluttering uselessly along as the other woman and man followed behind unimpressed. The woman looked down at her pathetic attempts to break free.

“Fight all you want. You’re only going to make this harder on yourself,” stated the woman.

Hogo dragged Ani down the hall into a room filled with computer screens and tossed her on the floor. Before she could stand up the strange sandpaper restraint was back and she was glued to the floor.

“Odysseus, how’s the response been?” Hogo asked the humanoid sitting at a massive keyboard

As the person turned to look at Hogo, they glanced at Ani with bright green eyes and she saw lines streaking across their skin like a circuit board. “Not as wide-spread as we would have wanted,” they answered in a raspy voice. “But where it’s hit, it’s hit hard.”

“We can work with that,” said Hogo as she leaned on the counter. “Are you in everywhere?”

“Everywhere except the agencies we wanted; they’ve taken some extra precautions and I couldn’t get through...” a twisted grin spread. “The police were a different story...like a hot knife through butter.”

Hogo’s pink hair bobbed as she gave a satisfied nod. “Good. Push the first round.”

“You got it, Mom.” The person turned back clicking a few keys and opened a few windows displaying major public spaces in Musutafu and typed a few rows of code. “Messages out.”

For what felt like a long time, nothing happened. The five people watched silently as people moved normally throughout their day and Ani felt each passing minute grow more and more painful as she waited anxiously to see what would happen. Slowly people began gathering in the areas, lingering together as they began to form a loose organization. Ani realized: they were protestors.

“Turn up the volume,” the bald woman requested as she crept closer to the screens.

The voices chanted together slowly filling the dark room with their...pro-hero message. Ani held her breath, she couldn’t believe it. These crowds were protesting Hogo’s message and Ani felt a swell of joy. People were rejecting it! Hope filled Ani as she watched the crowds of people grow and she willed them to grow larger, grow stronger. Signs appeared proclaiming the faith they had in their heroes, people dressed in the colors of their favorites. They chanted and cheered about the purity and goodness of their protectors. The hope inside Ani grew with every passing moment, every person that joined the throngs of supporters. Hogo’s message wasn’t going to work! It wasn’t—

“Perfect.” Hogo crossed her arms with a look of elation that halted Ani’s growing hope. “This is better than I was hoping. Prompt the reporters.”

“Are you sure?” Odysseus asked, leaning back in their chair. “They’ve already caught wind of it and are on the move.”

“Yes, make sure they’re all out...even if they’re just swarming the hero agencies. I don’t want to leave any opportunities unused.”

The humanoid’s fingers began to fly across the keyboard as they typed lines of code. Multiple windows opened and messages appeared, flying back and forth, faster than Ani could read. She was trying to imagine how Hogo could be so pleased by this show of support...it was the exact opposite of what she called people to do. Reporters quickly ended up at the scene of the protests, too.

“And the opposition?” Hogo asked.

The person wheezed, coughed once, sending messages out. “It’s picking up with all the coverage now...stories are starting to show up everywhere.” More messages were coming in and the lines of text scrolled up in a blur; it was a chat. And the person wasn’t just in one conversation. They were moving back and forth between multiple windows. With a crackly chuckle, the person said “wow...they’re ready to go whenever you are.”

The sky was getting darker and the street lights came to life “We’re ready.”

With a hard, seemingly satisfied click, Odysseus sent a final message and folded their hands together, propping up their head as they watched the screen.

Anticipation rolled off of Hogo Sareta and crept into Ani with dread as she waited. It didn’t take long for the next wave of people to arrive but they were not like the first.

“Cut the police,” Hogo quickly instructed as they watched the newcomers arrive in dark, muted colors like the night itself and Ani’s hope was gone before the first projectile was thrown. Though it was hard to tell what it was through the screen, it struck someone and they fell to the ground. Ani’s heart began to break as she watched the quickly growing, darkly dressed group crash against the peaceful protestors.

She watched helplessly as more things were thrown into the crowd of hero-supporters. Met with violent opposition, those bright and cheerful colors quickly separated. Some left immediately, driven away by the threat of physical harm, but many stayed behind refusing to give in to supposed ‘villains.’ The slander only incited a stronger wave of violence and Ani saw real fights breaking out.

Odysseus responded almost immediately. “Police are down, but their radios are still active. They have back-up generators.”

“We knew they would,” said Hogo standing erect as she watched heroes arriving in various places of the protest. Ani’s relief was short-lived. The moment heroes began to arrive the violent protestors shed their dark layers revealing bright colors underneath that camouflaged them into the scattering crowds. Dismay prickled Ani’s vision as she watched the people continue fighting among themselves, trying to convince the heroes of who the violent offenders were.

“Radio systems are giving me some trouble.”

“Keep trying.” Hogo surveyed the growing chaos with a glowing pride that made Ani’s blood boil.

“C-coward.”

Hogo looked over her shoulder, eyebrow raised but before she could respond there was a quick ‘fwish’ sound and pain sliced across Ani’s cheek. She grimaced and stifled a cry as her face was whipped again with a harsher ‘fwipp’ and pain cut into the bridge of her nose.

“That’s enough,” Hogo said and there was no third strike of pain. The muscular woman came over and squatted next to Ani, her pink hair keeping her face in shadow. “Coward?”

Ani glowered up as blood dripped down her face. A response burned in her throat but the invisible restraints were pressing down so tightly she could barely breathe.

“You know...” Hogo brushed a strand of hair out of Ani’s face and smirked down lightheartedly. “I’ve been called a lot of things...but not a coward...I suppose you think it’s because I’m not out there fighting?”

Judgement burned in Ani’s eyes.

“I can see why you would think that.” Hogo traced her lips, retracing her scar. “But I was hired for one thing.”

Confusion flickered across Ani’s face.

“What?” Hogo asked. “That I was hired?...” She grinned. “Yeah...I believe in all of this,” she waved her hand at the screen. “Hero reform, atonement, and all that...but I never cared enough to do something like this.”

“They’re arriving,” announced Odysseus. Hogo blocked the screens from Ani’s view so she couldn’t see who they were talking about; it made her heart race in fear.

“No...I have a specific job to do.” Hogo smiled as she stood up over Ani. “And it doesn’t involve messing around with these delinquents.”

She turned back to the monitors and Ani’s eyes teared up as she saw familiar faces running through the streets. The violence had escalated dramatically as gangs had come out to take advantage of the chaos.

“How does our positioning look?” Hogo asked.

Odysseus cracked their knuckles and went back to typing. “Nearly there. Trains have been stopped.”

“Emergency services?”

“Interrupted. I’m starting to break apart the radio systems...They’re having trouble responding properly.”

“Good. You’ve done well, Odysseus. Finish knocking out the radios.” Hogo turned to her other two companions who nodded. “Time to go to work.”

“Finally,” the bald woman said with a devilish grin. She elbowed the blue-haired man who was staring at the screens. His attention returned to them and he gave a nod, tossing Ani over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. She grunted.

“You’re not going to get away with this, any of it,” noted Ani. “Whatever you’re trying to do...it’s not going to work with all those heroes out there.”

“Oh Yoyo...” Hogo gave Ani’s cheek a rough pat. “We’re going to work because they’re out there.”

Tears dripped from Ani’s face as the truth cut her heart open. “No...you can’t hurt them. They’re stronger than you are.”

“Maybe,” admitted Hogo. “But with your help, it won’t matter.” Ani was trying to retain a façade of strength as they climbed a set of rusty stairs and Hogo looked at her curiously. “Why do you think I demanded you instead of a clone as payment?” She chuckled quietly. “I need your power to finish the job...a clone would have sufficed for that...but with you... and your incredible ability to endure...there’ll be something left over. And after that...well...” Hogo’s eyes glinted maliciously. “I can have some real fun.”

Ani’s eyes were blurred with tears as they emerged into a alleyway. Ani could hear the screams and cries echoing down the dark passage, drowned out with passing sirens and other sounds of carnage. Hogo put something in her ear, her companions did the same, too.

“Shadows, are you in place?” She asked and waited for an answer. “Good. We’re heading out.”

As they started moving Ani felt the rough, invisible restraints loosen. It was enough she could have screamed but her voice would have been lost among all the other noise. No, she would have to wait for another opportunity to do something.

They wove through the shadows of the city for several blocks and came out among preoccupied looters. If there were any heroes among these buildings they didn’t notice Hogo’s head of pink hair that glowed in the light of fires burning throughout the city. The more action they passed on the street, the more the bonds loosened. When they rounded the next corner there was a crowd of people down the street flipping a car and the bald woman paused, mesmerized by the destruction.

“I can’t believe how quickly they took to the violence,” she said in awe.

The sandpaper was almost breakable.

Hogo commented, as she kept walking with the blue-haired man, “I can. When admiration for their idols dries up, strong feelings remain. And like dry wood, those feelings ignite quickly.”

For a brief moment, Ani felt it: slack.

She yanked out her arms and arched her back to swing back down and elbow the man as hard as she could right in his kidneys. He groaned and the sound was like a heavy weight that shackled her ankles and flung her down to the ground as he let go of her legs and fell to his knees, clutching his side. She slammed down to the ground.

Hogo whirled around with anger flashing in her features.

“Solid Sound!” the bald woman yelled as she caught up to them and the scratching, invisible pressure returned around Ani with such force she felt like she was being burned. She had no freedom to scream. “Damn it, Solid, I’m sorry!”

The man held his side as he slowly stood back up with a grunt and a heavy weight sank onto Ani’s chest threatening to crush her. She understood, then. He never spoke because that was his quirk.

Solid. Sound.

This must have been the reason they were so confident.

“Are you alright?” the bald woman asked, avoiding Hogo’s glare. Solid Sound nodded. Ani’s lungs were on fire under the weight as they ignored her and the bald woman tentatively looked back to Hogo. “I’m sorry, Mom.”

“Pull it together,” demanded Hogo. “We can have our fun—”

“GET”

—after the job is done—”

“AWAY FROM”

The three of them turned at the most well-known voice in the country. The powerful shouting voice

“SHIDA!”

Of Deku.

Green lighting struck the air in front of the small group and Deku ricocheted off of something invisible. At the sight and sound of the number one hero the street emptied, all rioters instantly dispersing into the shadows. Deku rebounded off of a building nearby and a strange sound reverberated through the rapidly heating air. Ani struggled to get free hoping whatever was holding her down would weaken in the attack as he kept coming back, unable to land a hit before bouncing away.

Deku’s raging voice filled the street. “SSSMMMAAA—”

Ani, limbs freed, curled into a ball to protect her head.

“Now,” said Hogo, softly.

“AAASSHHHH!”

There was an explosion and a release of such power that Ani felt the ground beneath her crack and shake. All the glass up and down the street shattered, raining to the pavement and filled the quiet air with an eerie tinkling sound. Ani held her breath as she uncurled and peeked out hoping to see her captors defeated. The world went gray as Ani saw Deku’s crumpled body lying at the end of a long ditch at the other end of the street.

“De-ku?” Ani asked in horror.

There was a crackle of lightning around his body and for a moment Ani thought he would rise but he stayed down. She was blown away by the power of Solid Sound and from the corner of her eye she saw him crack his neck like taking down the number one hero was simple. Hatred burned in her heart until she realized he wasn’t at the start of the long ditch.

It was Hogo.

She slowly relaxed from her fighting stance. “Let’s get going.”

Solid Sound picked Ani up and threw her over his shoulder again. She didn’t bat an eye as the binds returned; she just gaped at Hogo as she reached out and took Ani’s wrist. While they hustled down the road Hogo used a piece of glass to slice Ani’s wrist open and drank from the dark, oozing blood before regeneration quickly sealed the wound. Hogo wiped blood off her face from the back of her hand and gave Ani a wicked grin.

“Still think they’re invincible?”

Chapter 62: Endure Part Two

Chapter Text

Ani’s head bounced around as Solid Sound sprinted beside Hogo and the bald woman.

Hogo cursed under her breath, holding her ear. “At least the radios are down.” She was panting and Solid Sound was blasting buildings as they ran in a loop around the city leaving a trail of destruction behind them. “Does anyone know if the clone's been destroyed?" She waited for the answer.

“No matter, we’re almost there,” said Hogo as they ran up to one of the last buildings standing. Ani saw a blur streaking behind buildings headed in Deku’s direction; the hero paused for a moment at the sight of their small group and Ani recognized Ingenium. Iida. Ani panicked and feared for the safety of the noble hero...her mind scrambled for a way to warn him of her captor’s power. She relaxed when he raced away.

“The HPSC, yeah. We’re here,” said Hogo. Ani saw the sign for the Hero Public Safety Commission and hoped there was no one left in the building. “How many?”

Hogo waited a beat. “Good. We’re going in.”

The building went dark. Ani assumed it was Odysseus who had cut the power as they approached the doors and she heard security guards shouting. They were easily overpowered.

“We’re inside.” Hogo listened intently and they paused at the lobby. Ani cried silently over the unmoving bodies of security guards strewn across the floor. “Heading up now.”

Solid Sound set Ani down on her feet and the pressure released around her legs but kept her arms at her sides. She gave one last effort to turn and run but she was lassoed and fell to the ground. She was still struggling as they rolled her over.

“You’re out of time,” said the bald woman as she grabbed Ani’s foot and pulled her along the slippery floor. “Any one of us on our own could give them a run for their money. But together? We’re unstoppable.”

“You’re nothing,” snarled Ani and she tried to kick the bald woman in the back of her legs but she missed.

“Frik!” Solid Sound snapped and Ani felt her ankle twist unwillingly. The bald woman noticed Ani’s fight and gave her leg a yank, almost breaking the twisted ankle. Ani screamed as the slippery floor turned to fire and burned her skin.

She finally understood: the bald woman could control friction. She stopped struggling and trying to kick her and the bald woman, Ani guessed the word Solid Sound had used was her name: Frik, relaxed the friction between her and the floor. She slipped along again.

“Stop squabbling and pick her up,” Hogo instructed and Solid Sound threw her over his shoulder so they could quickly climb the stairs. Ani’s mind was racing. She was trying to figure out what Frik meant when she said that together the three of them were unstoppable and she wished she could have an ounce of Midoriya’s analytical intelligence. Even if she couldn’t figure anything out, she tried to reassure herself that there were more than enough heroes to stop these three. “Yeah, meet us at the top.”

Oh. Shit....Well, it was harder to reassure herself without knowing who or what was meeting them but she still tried. Their steps echoed in the empty stairwell and Ani kept trying to think about what she could do. How she could help. Something. Anything.

When there were no more stairs to climb, Solid Sound blasted open the door to the roof. Sirens, smoke, and the fizzling energy of fear filled the night sky.

“Really? Just the two of you made it out?” Hogo said with pity.

“What do you want?” The deep voice made the hair on Ani’s back stand up. It was Kurogiri. “Ground Zero showed up and we barely made it out, just the two of us.”

“So? You can make two clones, can’t you?” challenged the bald woman. “Just make us another one.”

“I can’t,” responded another familiar voice. Solid Sound plopped Ani down on the ground and she saw the man dressed in a black suit, face covered in a full black and gray mask. "The original Kurogiri is back with Shigaraki, remember?"

“Damnit!” snapped the bald woman at Twice and Kurogiri but Hogo cut in before she could go on a rant.

“So, her clone is still alive,” said Hogo surveying the city from their massive rooftop. “It is what it is. We’ll work with what we’ve got.” She crouched down by Ani and took her wrist again. “They’ll be here any minute.”

She made a deep gash and Ani held in the cry of pain. Hogo took another big pull and then held out the bleeding wound for each of her companions who took turns drinking in preparation. Tears flowed down Ani’s face as they kept it open to keep the gash open until they were satisfied. She felt regeneration sap her energy as it finally closed the wound.

The group stiffened and Ani knew Odysseus must have warned them of something coming because they all turned just in time to face the crackling bolt of jade streaking toward the roof.

“Hospital,” Hogo quietly said. A purple swirl intercepted the streak of lighting and it vanished.

On the other side of the city there was an explosion and fresh screams filled the night air.

Pressing her ear Hogo responded to something Ani couldn’t hear. “Good. Make sure they get a clear shot that it was him.”

Ani’s heart flooded with grief and sobs wracked her frame. They were going to destroy everything...everyone...and blame it on the heroes.

“Where?” Hogo asked. After a moment, Frik stepped out to the edge of the roof searching for something and crouched down. The attention of the group shifted, drifting in that direction and Ani desperately wanted to know what they saw but didn’t want to draw any attention to herself. She sat as still as she could while her eyes frantically scanned the skyline and realized this rooftop sat alone. All the neighboring buildings had been destroyed while they were running through the city which would make it incredibly difficult for anyone to approach stealthily from a nearby roof. She kept looking nonetheless.

She didn’t see the green lightning until it was shooting around the loop of rubble and heard Hogo say “the mall.” There was a pause as the lightning continued bouncing around. “Kurogiri.”

“I’m trying, but he’s onto it now.”

Ani cheered Deku on her mind. He was sharp and couldn’t be caught in that trap twice—

A ball of fire curved around the streak of lightning as it slowed down, fighting the sudden increase in the air's friction, and Frik cackled. “Got him!” With the sudden burst of resistance, and not knowing where it was coming from, Deku’s movements slowed enough that he was caught by another warp gate. She tried not to be filled with despair as she waited for another explosion that didn’t come.

“Damn it,” snarled Frik, clenching her fists and almost stomping her foot like a toddler. “Did they at least catch him almost hit it?!” She had slowed Deku enough to be caught but it also meant he had time to stop from smashing into another densely populated building. Relief hit Ani as she kept scanning and was dismayed at range of flames that were reaching up into the skyline. There were more fires than the heroes or fire departments could keep up with. Tears kept blurring her vision faster than she could blink them away and began playing tricks on her mind. Fires were jumping between buildings now, spreading the flames from roof to roof.

Ani kept her mouth shut, silencing the gasp as she realized it wasn’t just fire. As the dancing flames tried to stay camouflaged with the fires in the background, she recognized his shape. Endeavor was trying to find an opening or maybe simply trying to gather intel on the group huddled on this far, dark rooftop which hadn’t noticed his presence yet. Thoughts flew through Ani’s mind. She would have only one chance, one action to give the heroes an advantage and it would have to be quick. She waited, watching from the corner of her eye, until Endeavor paused at a window and made himself look like flames erupting from a fresh fire and drew in the deepest breath she could.

Without looking right where Endeavor was hiding but trying to aim the sound in his general direction, she screamed from the deepest depths of her lungs “CAMERAS—"

A hand clamped down over her mouth and the friction of the air around her tightened so she couldn't move. She bit down as hard as she could but Twice’s suit kept him from getting hurt.

“Shhh, princess,” he murmured in her ear.

Hogo appeared in front of her and grabbed the patchy remains of her sweatshirt. “Who were you yelling to?!”

Ani immediately clenched her eyes shut, not wanting to give anything away out of involuntary reaction.

“Tell me!” Hogo roared. Ani shook her head. It took a moment but Ani heard the sound she was hoping for. “Fuck!”

“DAMN IT!” Frik shouted and the friction restraints tightened so hard Ani’s eyes flew open with pain.

Hogo snarled and shoved Ani to the ground. “Keep her quiet. And tone it back Frik! We need to save her regen.”

The bonds loosened only enough to let Ani take shallow breaths through her nose and Twice stayed crouched by her head, mouth firmly covered. Ani stared up into the dark night sky. She was grateful Endeavor had understood her message and destroyed at least some of the cameras.

Hogo resumed her confident surveying of the city, ultimately unperturbed by the loss of some cameras. “It’s fine, Odysseus. Use whatever ones are left and let the radios come back up. We’ll listen if we can’t see.”

Ani gulped and blinked away tears, hoping she hadn’t just made things worse.

Chapter 63: Bring Her Home - Part Two

Chapter Text

“Where’s Ani now?”

“Mom took her into the HPSC.”

Bakugo and Shouto turned to see Iida and Kirishima joining them at the corner. It was Iida who had spoken.

“It’s still standing?!" Bakugo asked in vexation.

“Yes. They’ve leveled everything around it but left it standing to make a point,” their old class rep informed the small group. “Jiro and Yaoyorozu are trying to get the radios back up. And nearly everyone else is doing damage control with the police trying to save victims and keep rioters and other villains at bay.”

Shouto didn’t need to ask how extensive the damage was; the city was being torn apart from the inside out. “Where’s Midoriya?”

“We don’t know,” Iida admitted. “But knowing him, he’s probably trying to get back to Ani and Mom.”

"That’s where we’re headed, too.” Kirishima nodded in that direction and clenched his fist. “Let’s end this.”

“You don’t have to tell me twice, shitty hair,” Bakugo said with a blazing grin. Over his shoulder he said “Let’s go.”

“What? No—” Shouto reached out as if he was going to block Ani’s clone and Bakugo knocked his hand away.

“Don’t even think about it,” he challenged.

“I’m coming,” the clone said with conviction. “They slit my throat on live tv. I’m going to draw some blood before I die.”

Shouto saw a dangerous glint to the familiar blue eyes and knew he wasn’t going to stop her.

“Come on,” urged Bakugo and the group took off without hesitation. As they ran down the street their earpieces crackled and voices began to break through the static. The words were too choppy to understand but they could hear at least Jiro and Utsubei trying to be heard. Another voice, stronger and clearer, joined the mix.

Cam-ras! Th—have cameras—acr—ss the city—th—been—wching—us!” Endeavor’s booming voice cut through the static enough that they were able to understand and the group immediately looked up at the buildings around them as they ran. Sure enough, on top of the next corner’s traffic light sat a camera.

“They must have hacked the city system—” Kirishima began

“And be following our every move!” yelled Bakugo. He let out an AP shot and disintegrated the camera.

“Keep going to the HPSC!” Iida shouted. “I’ll go look for more.” He powered away turning into a gray blur, pausing only to destroy another camera down the street.

“Either of you have a plan?” Kirishima asked as they kept running.

“Find ‘em. Kill ‘em,” answered Bakugo.

They turned a corner and Shouto grabbed Bakugo’s arm, yanking him and the copy of Ani back behind the building as the sound of something coming cut through the air and shot a hole where they had just been standing.

“We need a little more strategy than that,” Shouto said and pressed his earpiece. “Yaoyorozu, Jiro. Can you hear me?”

Loud and clear,” answered Jiro.

“We found the absolved; they’re on top of the HPSC,” Shouto yelled as they paused at the next corner. “Midoriya. Midoriya! Come in Midoriya, are you there?!”

“Oi, you damn nerd!” snapped Bakugo.

Yeah, I’m here!

“Where are you?” asked Shouto.

I’m coming in from the north side shopping center—every time I try to get close they warp me away.

“Fuck,” cursed Bakugo. “The League must be there, too.”

No, they’re only copies. Twice and Kurogiri are there but not Shigaraki or Toga.” They heard the rush of wind with Deku’s words as he flew across the city. “They’ve got Shida up there!

“We know,” Shouto motioned for them to split up. Bakugo, Ani’s clone, and Kirishima went one way and Shouto went the opposite, paralleling the HPSC. “We’re going to try to flank from the west and south—”

I’m coming in from the northeast, now,” Midoriya countered. “Watch out for the warpgates!

That purple bastard is mine!” shouted Bakugo.

And don’t let Mom land a hit—” Midoriya tried to warn as all three of them emerged at once from their different directions but his words were cut off by a crackling sound. At the same moment a shock wave ‘kathoomed’ across the rubble-filled clearing. Shouto tried to counter with a wall of ice but the sound shattered his ice and knocked him back.

Damn it!” Bakugo snarled. “There must be some fucking cameras still around here!"

Cameras?” Midoriya called over the sound of more rushing wind.

The Absolved have hacked all the cameras in the city and are watching our every move!” answered Iida. “Todoroki. Most of the cameras around the HPSC have been melted already!

Shouto glanced up and saw one on the street above him turned into what looked like the melted remains of a candle. Endeavor. His father must have been nearby and not only told them about the cameras but working to blind the Absolved.

Bakugo roared “then how the hell did they—

“The radios.” Shouto suddenly understood. “If they can watch through the cameras they can probably listen in, too. Jiro, Yaoyorozu! Find whoever’s controlling the—”

Well, well...” a serene voice cut in and Shouto couldn’t hear anyone else anymore. “You’re trying so hard heroes...” Shouto recognized the female voice from the tv broadcast. It was Mom. His mind was flying as he listened and a passing blur caught his eye: Iida. Ingenium paused and motioned for Shouto to follow him.

I have to say that I’m a little disappointed in all of you. So many people have died tonight...under your watch...all because of you...

They raced through the streets and met up with Bakugo, Kirishima, and the clone. Iida pointed and they saw the fiery form of Endeavor coming, too.

“I’m going to find Midoriya, wait here,” said Iida and sped off.

Shouto nodded.

All this destruction you let happen...And even with your top three heroes here...How will you ever make it up to all these poor people?

Mina and Sero came sprinting down the road, sent by Iida.

Can you feel for them...even a little bit? They’ve fought themselves over you...destroyed themselves to bits because of you...with your help, too...

Midoriya appeared, covered in scrapes and dirt, uniform ripped and worn. Mom’s taunting began to distort as Iida returned and stated the obvious.

“We need a plan.”

There was a short zapping sound through their earpieces and a few of them flinched but the radios were out. Silence weighed heavily.

“There’s five of them up there with Shida,” Midoriya said and wiped the sweat off his face with his sleeve. “The clones of Kurogiri and Twice. And the three members of the Absolved. But I can’t get close enough to get Shida out of there. I’ve been holding back because I don’t want to hurt her and they’ve been working together to keep fending me off.” Midoriya was beginning to mutter. “They have some sort of quirk that can slow you down with heat or fire or something and another ranged quirk. Mom has some sort of reflection power and they’re all using their quirks seamlessly together—”

“Wait, reflection?” Bakugo cut in.

“I hit her. Well, not at full strength because Shida was there but it should’ve been enough to overpower her but it didn’t. It was like she deflected it back to me.”

“It’s not reflection,” said a quiet, familiar voice. Everyone turned to Ani’s clone.

“What?” asked Bakugo the same time as Midoriya asked “what do you mean?”

She gave Shouto a quick glance before looking at Bakugo. “It’s not reflection...” she started thinking out loud. “The purple guy and the one with the full body suit, I heard them talking about the bald woman and they called her ‘Frick.’ And Midoriya said she can slow things down...so, what if her name was ‘Frick’ short for ‘friction?’ Like she can control friction?”

“So you’re thinking Mom is short for something, too?” Shouto asked.

“Yeah. Momentum.”

Midoriya’s jade eyes grew wide and tight as he listened. “That could explain what I felt when she hit me back.” He glanced down the road where they could see the rubble but not the building. “And how they slowed me down before.”

“We have to get them off that rooftop,” noted Iida. “They have too much of an advantage up there.”

An angry commotion caught their attention and they saw a quick-moving wave of people coming for them. They were rioters. Violent Rioters.

Chapter 64: Promises | Endure/Bring Her Home - Part Three

Notes:

I still don't know if AO3 updates a user who's bookmarked a story when it's edited but if it does I'm sorry for flooding you with notifications! I keep finding typos/errors and it's driving me nuts.

Chapter Text

“Odysseus, send the rioters out to us. We need that clone destroyed,” said Hogo. “Yeah. Took them long enough. Send the messages and get out of there. Put me on, too.” She waited another moment before beginning a haughty monologue. “Well, well...”

Ani tuned it out, not needing to hear whatever inflammatory nonsense was being spouted. She stared up at the sky, still trapped and mouth covered, and tried to remain as calm as she could. The heroes must have been close because Ani could soon hear violent sounds rising from below.

“Twice, keep trying to make another copy,” instructed Hogo.

~

“Figure out a plan. We’ve got this,” Kirishima said and motioned to Sero and Mina who agreed with a nod. The three of them took off but the rioters avoided the three heroes as much as they could like a flood. They went straight for the small cluster of heroes. And it became clear from the ranged attacks they were there for Ani’s clone.

Bakugo threw her on his back and prepared to launch away but Shouto immobilized the pursuers without sending ice above the tops of buildings. Their location remained hidden.

“We have to end this before there’s nothing left of the city!” shouted Iida.

“Can’t you just freeze them on the roof?” Sero asked, returning to the group.

“They can break it,” Shouto said.

“And they overpowered you?” Kirishima asked Midoriya who nodded.

“We need to swarm them all at once,” said Bakugo. “They can’t over power all of us at the same time.”

“Wait.” Midoriya looked at Shouto. “What about Kamino?”

~

“Nothing yet?” Hogo asked. Twice shook his head.

“Useless commoners,” dismissed Frik and rolled her eyes.

“Stay alert,” chided Hogo. Frustration had begun to creep into her voice. “And kill on sight.”

Ani’s body dewed with the cold sweat of fear and a chilly breeze blew across the roof making her shiver. Like the sound of a jet engine, a roar of sound and light pierced the quiet roof.

“Kurogiri!” Frik screamed. Ani’s restraints clenched with the force of the friction user’s distress.

“Twice! Another Kurogiri, now!”

The masked hand moved from Ani’s mouth and the Absolved’s attention shifted to him. Solid let out a retaliatory sound and Ani heard the glorious sounds of ice before anyone else.

Something shot across the sky.

With no guarantee they were friend, not foe, she screamed “HELP!”

The Absolved looked back in time to see a flash of white connect to her body.

“NO!” Frik leaped and grabbed onto Ani as she was pulled off the roof.

“Twice!” Hogo shouted.

“It takes a minute!” He cried out in the struggle of using his quirk.

Ani, with Frik hanging on, was lifted up. Ani tried to flail the girl off but Frik used her quirk and the friction of the air to break the tape.

As Ani began falling to the ground she saw another purple portal open and slammed back down into the roof. A streak of green lightning chased her through it and Midoriya appeared on the roof. He shifted his weight, grabbing Ani, but Hogo stepped in and turned his force into her own, hitting him right back with his strength plus her own. Ani flew out of his arms from the force and Midoriya was slammed back, knocked down again.

“Keep him in place,” ordered Hogo. “Solid, give me a boost.”

Ani cried out “NOO!” frozen in place by Frik, as Hogo moved to attack the fallen Midoriya. She felt the temperature of the air drop before she saw the ice.

Though it was thick, massive, and appeared instantly, Hogo punched through the wall. There was a rumble across the roof and Ani watched the ice fall in shattered chunks. Hogo stood over an empty crater.

Midoriya’s limp body was being yanked back to a far rooftop by tape.

A raging light of fire burst across the group as Endeavor appeared over the side of the roof.

He swung his arm and the tendrils of flame followed the arc. Frik and Hogo dove away in evident fear as the line of fire cut through Twice. He grunted and melted away into mud.

Kurogiri vanished as the whip passed through the air where he had just been and Endeavor tucked and rolled, avoiding the warp gate that appeared a moment later trying to swallow him up.

Only Solid Sound was unfazed by the flame-wielding hero and fired off a powerful blast that dispelled the string of fire and hit the ground where Endeavor had been.

The old pro had already returned to his feet and scooped Ani up, dashing toward the edge of the roof. From over his shoulder, Ani saw Solid Sound inhale, reloading.

“Watch out!” She yelled but was too late. Endeavor’s arms went limp as he was shot right in the back.

~

Shouto saw the pain in his father’s tortured features and he dropped Ani right at the edge of the roof. He crumpled and fell, pushed over the side by Hogo. He managed to get an ice ramp out just before his father hit the ground and redirected Endeavor behind rubble so he was out of view from the Absolved. He didn’t want to abandon his father but he couldn’t help him until the fight was over; he was out of Ani’s blood.

In the same moment, behind them, Kurogiri cried out in pain as gray goop clung to the metal plates around his neck and dissolved it away.

Hogo roared in fury and grabbed Ani’s hair, dragging her away from the edge of the roof as her comrades tried to help Kurogiri get free from the acid.

"Is he awake yet?!” Shouto demanded over his shoulder, looking at Ani's clone watching over Midoriya as he healed. The syringe in the side of his leg was already empty.

“He’s almost back!” she answered, checking his pulse.

Bakugo landed on the rooftop with them. “Get up ya damn nerd!” He offered a hand and helped Midoriya up when he saw the jade eyes open.

“Midoriya, Bakugo,” said Shouto, calling them to the edge of the rooftop as they watched the Absolved repel the rain of acid and try to disable Mina. “I know how we can stop them, now.”

“How?” Midoriya asked.

“Mom and Frik are afraid of fire. Solid Sound can defend against it but if you can take him, Midoriya, Bakugo and I can take the other two.”

The Absolved managed to stop the acid attack but not before Kurogiri was lost. Hogo howled in rage and turned her wrath upon Ani.

Shouto was in the air.

He moved, launching himself off the roof from a spike of ice without thinking, as Bakugo and Midoriya turned into an orange and jade streak across the gap.

~

“NO!” howled Hogo as Kurogiri mushed into nothing. She turned in a furious rage at Ani. “You don’t need to be conscious to heal us!”

She didn’t need any help to knock the girl out but she felt her power swell with a boost from Solid Sound as she raised her fist. Ani covered her face; Hogo swung and felt the satisfying crunch of breaking bone. Ani froze, waiting in the aftershock of Hogo’s power for the pain to come but it didn’t. She opened her eyes and saw Shouto falling, rolling.

“SHOUTO!” Ani cried as he stopped in a crumpled heap. No...this...this couldn't be happening...No, No, No, Not Shouto! She felt her soul untether from her body with heartbreak and fly out to him...she had waited so long to see him again and this was how it happened. He took a hit for her. She needed to help him, save him somehow.

Solid Sound was knocked from the roof by Midoriya; at the same time Bakugo released a Howitzer Impact strike at Frik, blasting dust across the whole roof. From where Midoriya went over the edge another rush of air exploded, clearing the air. Charred remains of Frik fell to the roof and Bakugo turned his attention to Hogo, redirecting all of his explosive strength. And a streak of green lighting invigorated the orange light.

Ani saw the tenacious glint in Hogo’s eyes; she wasn’t phased by Bakugo and Midoriya’s attack, no matter how much power was behind it. Her attention was on the fallen icy-hot hero and Ani could see determination pulsing through her muscles...Shouto was the one she truly feared. Time slowed as Ani's mind cleared, knowing Shouto was lying defenseless on the ground. With stored energy from Bakugo’s first hit on Frik and she was ready to send the force of Bakugo and Midoriya’s joint attack all onto Shouto. Like Newton’s cradle, the green and orange energy hit Hogo and danced along her skin, she swung her fist and an eruption of power rocked across the roof, shaking the building and sent a rumbling shockwave through the city.

Bakugo and Midoriya gritted their teeth, doing everything they could not to be blown away in the wind. After a few turbulent moments, they looked up to see Hogo standing, frozen in the follow-through of her punch.

Ani blinked, trying to clear the dirt from her eyes as she weakly turned her head and saw Shouto kneeling above her, unharmed.

“Y-you’re...o-o-kay...” Her voice warbled. She could feel the pain of Hogo’s punch radiating across her entire body.

Shouto shook his head, eyes horrified and wet with tears. “No. NO!” He roared. His hands shook and hovered uselessly over Ani, knowing there were no more vials of her blood between the three heroes on the roof.

“No! Tell me you didn’t just do that!” He pleaded.

Hogo stared at the broken body of the girl she had been betting everything on. With nothing left to lose, she jammed a button on her cuff. It beeped. She tried to run but Midoriya and Bakugo blocked her path, easily overpowering her weakened body.

Ani gazed up at Shouto's handsome face framed by the night sky and she tried to reach up to brush his hair back one last time but couldn’t lift her hand more than a few inches off the ground. Her spine was pulverized, nerves on fire. Internal organs turned to jelly. Ignoring the feeling of drowning from a punctured lung, she smiled and whispered “Sh-shouto...”

He shook his head. “No. No, this can’t be happening.” He ignored the sound of Bakugo and Midoriya fighting Hogo, seeing only Ani as she stared up at him. The glow of adoration as she looked at him made it clear. He had been waiting so long to find out if she still felt the same way about him, if she still loved him after they warped her memory. And the look in her eye told him there was no doubt.

Ani took a deep, painful breath and her mind focused on the details of a list she had seen in the corner of Odysseus’s computer. She stared up into the heterochromatic eyes she loved with all of her heart. “Y-youu...” she grimaced, from the pain in her body...and the pain in her heart from the words she knew she had to say. “Y-you have to go...”

“What?” He looked even more horrified. “I’m not going anywhere!”

“B-bombs,” she forced the words out as black rimmed her vision and began to close in, slowly erasing everything, closing in on Shouto’s face. “I-in the c-city.” She dug as deep as she could, rushing against the clock as she could feel her time slipping away. Why did Shouto look so confused...she was saying the words wasn’t she? She fought the blackness, unwilling to give in when she had waited so long to see him again...He was telling her something now. She loved the way his brows furrowed when he got so passionate...but...why couldn’t she hear him?

The weight on her body that had felt so familiar at first, like the fatigue of regeneration, changed. Instead of sinking into slumber she was free falling.

Weightless as she tumbled into an abyss.

It was relaxing, really...

Plummeting, gently turning over...

A pure, cleansing wind rushing through her...

As her eyes closed with one last look at the sacred face of her love.

~

Shouto watched Ani’s eyes close and her chest fall without rising again. Blinding rage and pain filled his heart. He let out a cry of anguish as he cradled the love of his life. He closed his eyes and pressed his forehead to hers.

Midoriya and Bakugo, standing over the restrained body of Hogo Sareta, watched as frost flowed freely from their fellow pro coating the ground. The line of ice didn’t stop at the roof. Shouto’s pain radiated out, down the side of the building, over the rubble, and emanated across the city in a flood dropping the temperature so drastically that flurries swirled down from the sky. Bombs, detonating in multiple places around the city, were stifled to nothing more than a puff of smoke.

Several figures joined Midoriya and Bakugo...Sero, Kirishima who watched silently at Bakugo’s side. Mina...who sank to her knees with silent sobs. Iida. Even Yaoyorozu, Jiro, and Kaminari.

They watched their old classmate and friend clutch the limp body in his arms.

“Please!” He turned to the gathered group. “Do any of you have any left?!” He looked to them desperately, willing one vial to save her life.

Heartbreakingly their eyes fell, heads shook and the crippling truth rocked through him. He fumbled around, trying to find her pulse...Ani’s clone flung open the roof door, slipping and sliding and Bakugo rushed over to catch her.

“Use my blood!” she yelled and Bakugo held her back.

“It’s not enough,” Bakugo admitted. His own heart was wrenched with pain at the idea of losing this version of her, too, but he had seen how the clone’s blood was too weak to heal her own injuries.

“Please!” Shouto quietly begged as he hunched over her still-warm body. He whispered “please...you can’t leave me..."

He buried his face in her neck and clutched at the person who had filled him with love. Accepted him and everything in his life.

Who became his home.

Hoping some part of her was still there to hear, he whispered one last time keeping his promise forever “I love you, Ani.”

Chapter 65: One More Thing

Chapter Text

“What a disappointment,” Shigaraki said as he watched the news recap of Hogo’s defeat.

“What a liar...” Twice spat. “I mean...her quirk protected her against Deku’s strength like she said.”

“She was still a failure,” Kurogiri noted. “He still remains alive and strong as ever. Our journey of vengeance for our old master continues.”

“And we lost two powerful players,” Shigaraki said as he began scratching his neck. “We lost our firepower, literally, and we need another healer.”

“The search continues,” Toga said as she rolled over on the couch. “New faces. New blood!”

Twice asked “what’s the plan now—” with a howling wind the fire went out. The four members of the league of villains looked to the empty, smoking hearth and a chill began to creep down their spines.

Not just their spines.

Literal frost was turning their abandoned warehouse hideout into an ice tomb.

“Kurogiri!” Shigaraki turned to his essential right-hand man ready to escape but there was a loud pop and the warp-gate's body began convulsing. His aura of purple mist fell to the ground like a tree falling in the forest incapacitated by the electric current flowing through the wires of the taser.

Standing behind him was the sidekick they had tortured.

“That was for what you did to me,” he said in a tight voice. He sent another pulse of debilitating electricity through the wires. "That's...for Shida."

Shigaraki’s eyes grew wide and he whispered “Twice.” The masked man was already struggling, trying to create a clone of the warp gate when they heard a ferocious roar.

“OH NO YOU DON’T YOU SCUMBAG!” An explosive punch landed on Twice who gave up trying to make another Kurogiri and settled for quickly cloning himself to help fight the raging Ground Zero.

Toga’s insane squeal added to the growing noise as she saw the faint lines of green zipping around the room. “TeHeHeeee! You’re here!!!” She flung herself after it but he had one goal in mind: Shigaraki.

But All-for-One's successor would not be so easily defeated.

He met Deku’s fist with an open hand and gave an equal amount of damage. Deku appeared in a far corner, clutching his fist whose flesh had begun to rot away.

“What’s wrong, number one hero?” Shigaraki challenged; it was clear the pro was worked up. “You look upset about something.”

“Aww, don’t be upset cutie,” a voice said into Midoriya’s ear as a weight pressed against his back and made him cringe. Toga’s saccharine voice melted into Uraraka’s and distracted him for too long. “I don’t want you to get hurt.”

Shigaraki was lunging for the jade hero but before he could land a punch the building shook. Ice cracked through the industrial walls and separated the villains from each other. Shigaraki turned, waiting for the number two hero to reveal himself, as he was being lifted into the air on a plateau of ice.

“Let me guess!” The manic villain called out into the night. “You’re here to avenge the most important person in the world to you!” He cackled out wildly. “You and I have something in common now! We’re both driven by that same need!”

A flicker of flame rose over the edge of the ice as Shouto climbed up in a spiraling inferno and blizzard. “You and I are nothing alike.”

Deku appeared on the ice in-between them. “Shouto! This is my fight!”

“No, Midori—” Before Shouto could protest Deku was launching himself toward Shigaraki but the villain didn’t need to overpower Deku. He just had to make contact and avoid the fatal hits. Shigaraki’s hands grazed Deku’s arm and the jade hero had to withdraw as tendrils of decay multiplied across his arm. Deku tried again and this time Shigaraki reached for Deku’s throat but ice spiked up and drove the two of them apart.

Shouto, still ablaze with the fire and frost of his heart, met Shigaraki head-on with such for that the ice-plateau began to crack. Steaming mist fogged the air and when it cleared Shigaraki saw he had made contact with Shouto’s icy fist but the hero wasn’t hurt.

His skin wasn’t flaking away.

The pro-hero's body was rejecting his quirk...just like Ani’s had.

“No. No!” Shigaraki snarled, eyes frenzied with truth. “That’s impossible!”

“No. It’s not.” Shouto’s heterochromatic stare bored into the villains. He felt the power of regeneration coursing through himself as if Ani’s hands were wrapped around him, encasing his body in a protective layer and fueling it to survive from within.

Ani’s soft voice echoed from his memories

I will always want you around

Shouto clenched his jaw.

I’m so glad you’re here

I don't want you to get hurt

Years of memories surged into his muscles. Shigaraki was putting all of his strength into his quirk, trying to erode the infinite.

I want you to have all of me.

I’m really happy to be here. With you.

I love you, Sho.

There was nothing that could stop him. Shouto blasted through Shigaraki, completely unharmed by the decay, and sent the cursed villain to the ground with a finishing blow. He stared down at the broken body laying in the crater as the police swarmed in and took him into custody.

Shouto’s body throbbed feeling better than ever, he tipped his head back and looked at the starry night sky, heart desolate.

Chapter 66: One Is The Loneliest Number

Chapter Text

“In news this morning, the ongoing clean-up of Musutafu has made significant progress. Five days after the dramatic showdown atop the Hero Public Safety Commission headquarters the city is starting to return to normal.” The camera panned across rubble cleared streets where cars and pedestrians were moving steadily. Rei sipped her tea as she and Fuyumi watched together.

 

“Emergency services have declared the final few districts open and safe for residents to return. Schools and businesses have returned to their daily activities. All train lines are open but running on a revised schedule until the repair of two stations is complete. You can find the revised schedule on the rail-line websites.” Tashkei dried his hair, turning the volume up on the news and checked his phone; no new messages.

 

“Earlier this morning the mayor of Musutafu announced an official reopening of the city this weekend to celebrate the hard work of all the rescue crews and construction teams, as well as professional heroes, who have worked endlessly to return their beloved city back to its thriving state.”

“Tch,” Bakugo scoffed. “Great. Another event.”

“Come on,” Hansha, as Ani’s clone insisted on being called, playfully scolded him. “It’s going to be fun.”

Bakugo’s red eyes met her shimmering blue ones and he felt his normal negativity soften. “You’ll come with me?”

“Of course!” She rested her head on his shoulder. “Let’s go get my hair cut and colored first.” She didn’t want anyone mistaking her for the original. Sadness tinged the happy energy surrounding them.

 

M.I. leaned back in his chair as he, Flora, and Aves sat in the office watching the broadcast together. An image of the mayor standing behind the podium appeared. “I’d like to thank all of our diligent, hard-working public servants who have repaired this city and rewoven our infrastructure to be even better than before!” A crowd cheered and was cut off as the news anchor reappeared at her desk.

“Has Dojire heard anything from him today?” M.I. asked his coworkers. They shook their heads.

 

“Approval for the mayor has drastically improved from his response to this tragedy and public support for heroes is at an all-time high following the herculean victory of our pros over a group formerly known as the Absolved.”

Aino ignored the sound of the news as he walked past the staff room and shut himself in his office. The silence he once found so peaceful was now deafening. He looked at the framed picture on his desk from a trip to see the cherry blossoms. Moisture formed at the corners of his eyes at the two other smiling faces standing with him under the beautiful trees.. He rested his head in his hands.

 

“Police investigations have uncovered the group was behind several violent riots that ravaged peaceful demonstrations earlier that day and the destruction around the H-P-S-C headquarters, as well as several bombs that were planted in various locations across the city. Countless lives were saved when pro-hero ‘Shouto’ sealed the city in an indestructible layer of ice, defusing and stifling the bombs moments before they detonated.

“Later that evening, Shouto led an offensive strike against a partner organization named the League-of-Villains that had been working with the Absolved to bring down the pro-hero Deku. Our beloved icy-hot hero was the vital player in ending the league.” The camera cut to a clip of Shouto’s final blow, sending Shigaraki to the ground.

“A-all Might?” whispered the voice of his old rival and friend Endeavor. It tore All Might’s attention away from the screen and he saw the old pro finally awake since falling from the roof. His eyes were tired, barely open; the recent fight had aged him greatly.

“You’re awake!” All Might said happily, trying to keep his booming voice quiet. “How are you fe—”

“Shouto...did...did he...” the old man said between heaving breaths, eyes not open enough to see anything other than the blurry image of All Might.

All Might glanced at the screen as Endeavor spoke. He wasn’t sure Endeavor’s weakened body could endure the news. “Ah...well they’re going to announce the rankings soon...”

Endeavor saw All Might’s glance at the news and heard the predictions of the ranking announcement and gave a subtle shake of his head. “No. Not that....” His eyes fluttered open and closed. “Did he...live?”

All Might smiled and took the old man’s hand, giving it a squeeze. “Yes. He’s alive and well.”

“Good.” Endeavor sighed and almost smiled. “And Shida?...Did he...save her?”

The smile fell from All Might’s face. “I...”

Endeavor’s eyes widened with a painful glisten. “What happened?”

 

 

“The country holds its breath this morning as we await the annual update of the Hero Billboard Chart from the H-P-S-C set to be released today. Will these titanic rescues be enough for the number two hero to upset the long-time standing number one? Stay tuned for the predictions from our very own hero analyst right after this break.” A colorful ad came on, playing some catchy tune.

Uraraka muted the tv, angrily placing her fists on her hips. “How could they possibly consider him for number one?! There’s no way he’s surpassed you!” She began listing Midoriya’s statistics on incident resolution and the public regard for her jade-haired boyfriend. “Besides, you and Bakugo ended the fight with Hogo.”

“But Shouto stopped Shigaraki...the one we’ve been fighting since UA...and put an end to all of this when I couldn’t.” He met his girlfriend’s passionate gaze with a soft smile. “What’s important is that Shigaraki can’t hurt anyone anymore.”

“How are you so okay with this?” Uraraka sat down next to him. “He couldn’t have done it without all of you, especially without that girl’s blood.”

Midoriya’s jade eyes glimmered with sadness. “Neither could I,” he reminded her. “Even All Might had help. It’s not about the glory...or the titles...or the rankings. It's about the lives we save and the people we protect. And Shouto feels the same way...” He took Uraraka’s hand and she rested her head on his shoulder, making his heart ache. “Besides...it won’t mean anything with what he’s going through right now.”

 

Shouto stared out over Dagoben. It was a bright day, a beautiful sunny day that would have amplified the excitement in the air over the annual Hero Billboard Chart. He could see clusters of fans and supporters down on the sidewalk below waiting anxiously for the results to be announced. The city was alive in anticipation.

But for Shouto there was nothing.

The warmth and energy stayed outside on the other side of the glass. He watched two birds fly across the sky flitting around each other in a playful dance and felt a dull stab of pain in his numb chest. A cheer erupted from the ground and his empty gaze fell to see his fans wearing red-white wigs celebrating.

Across the city he caught sight of a large, live tv display naming him

As the new number one hero.

There was a quiet knock before someone cracked open the door and stepped inside. “Congratulations sir,” said Dojire. “You’ve been ranked as the number one hero in the nation.”

“It means nothing...” Shouto said, arms falling to his sides as he turned from the window to look at the hospital bed. “If she doesn’t wake up.”

Chapter 67: Outgoing

Chapter Text

Dojire followed the sad gaze of his boss to the vacant face covered in tubes as the ventilator gently inflated her lungs and released. Monitors continued beeping, counting time for Ani’s unmoving body.

The assistant quietly asked “has there been any news?”

“They’re concerned about her lack of brain response so they’re going to take her off the ventilator tomorrow.” Shouto cleared his throat. “And see if her brain can take over.” He couldn’t take his eyes off of her.

“Will...will anyone be here with you, sir?”

Shouto nodded. “Aino will be here.”

“Is there anything I can do?”

Silence fell between them except for the monitor’s rhythmic chirping. Shouto shook his head. “Just keep the press away for now.”

“Of course, sir.” Dojire bowed and left quietly.

Shouto sat down beside Ani’s bed and took her hand, wrapping both of his around hers. “Please, Ani...You promised me I wasn’t alone anymore...” He tried to lighten his voice. “Haven’t you heard? I’m the number one hero now...” He half-laughed. “It’s going to be even harder to go out and get things done now.” His eyes held their gaze on her closed lids, hoping there was some combination of words that would unlock her from this state. “I’m not going anywhere, though...because all of this,” he gestured his head to the window “the rankings, the celebrations...None of it matters without you.”

He leaned forward and rested his head on the bed next to her unwilling to let go of her hand as nurses came and went until shadows stretched across the room. His phone had rung numerous times but he ignored the calls and swarm of messages and drifted in and out of sleep to the sound of Ani’s heart monitor.

At the change of shifts, the nurses came in debriefing each other and gave Shouto a few kind, gentle words of support. They asked if he needed anything and he politely declined. Once they left, he realized how stiff his back had gotten from slumping over onto Ani’s bed and he relinquished her hand to stretch. No matter how hard he tried that night, he couldn’t sleep. He tossed and turned in the reclining chair, refusing to leave the room but unable to relax when every assisted breath of the ventilator reminded him that tomorrow they would be taking her off life support.

Aino found him in the morning with bloodshot eyes. By the look in the surgeon’s eyes, he hadn’t slept well either.

"You're sure there's no way we can help her?" Shouto asked, quietly accepting the coffee Aino offered.

The surgeon stared at his younger sibling. "No...we've tried her concentrated blood but it hasn't helped."

"I was thinking about the bone marrow." Shouto met Aino's tired gaze. "Is there any more?"

Aino shook his head. "We only prepared two samples. The first was the test sample she insisted I have and the second was for you."

"What if you take some from me?" Shouto asked with desperate hope.

He rubbed his baggy eyes. "I don't know. If her concentrated blood didn't help bring her back I don't think her bone marrow would. Besides, what if it's less effective because it's been in someone else's body...and it diminishes her ability to regenerate? There's just no way to know...and I don't want to risk it."

Shouto expected a response like this but still couldn't help feeling defeated. Quiet fell between them as Ani's heart monitor beeped steadily and Shouto wondered if these were the last few beats he would get to hear. Not long after, the hospital staff came in.

The two men stood, watching silently, as the attending physicians and nurses removed the tube from Ani’s throat. Shouto held his breath and covered his mouth; tension hardened the air as the physicians watched the CO2 levels in Ani’s body rise.

Every second was a tangible grain of sand,

A molecule of carbon dioxide

Building up

Until

 

 

 

 

 

 

Her chest rose.

Her nostrils flared.

And her body breathed on its own.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Two days had passed since the ventilator was removed. There had been a steady stream of visitors, a nearly constant exchange of friends and family who came to talk to Ani and keep Shouto company. He hadn’t left the hospital since he arrived after his fight with the league and was grateful when his older sister brought him clean clothes. At his reluctance to leave Ani’s side, Fuyumi nearly threw him into the bathroom.

“Make sure she wakes up to a clean version of you!” she shouted as she tossed the bag of clothes and toiletries to him. Tashkei had joined his mother at Ani’s bedside and they were happily updating her on everything happening. They stayed with her until a refreshed Shouto emerged from the bathroom and took up his post with renewed energy.

Between his friends, word spread quickly that the new number one hero wasn’t interested in congratulations. He tolerated their visits and presence as long as they didn’t make a big deal of his new rank. He promised he would have a party upon the condition of Ani’s recovery and that seemed to pacify his old classmates for now.

Word of Ani’s successful weaning from the ventilator had spread outside of their private circle of family and friends. Flowers, get-well cards, and other sentiments from the agency, from Shouto's fans, started filling the room. Balloons. Gift baskets. It was overwhelming to Shouto but Flora, Aves, and M.I. helped organize it when they came. Flora brought her own gift, a joyful-looking plant, that Shouto allowed her to leave as long as she promised not to use it to eavesdrop. Aves kept up a constant one-sided conversation with Ani for at least an hour. M.I. solemnly asked Ani to wake up so he could tell her everything and properly thank her for saving his life and regrowing his tongue. And he wasn’t the only one she had helped.

The vials of blood she had made, Shouto had given several to each pro-hero in preparation of the fight against the Absolved and sent dozens out with Aino’s help to the most critical patients in the aftermath. Because of them many lives had been saved. They all wanted to show thanks to Ani and it was when Flora, Aves, and M.I. were visiting that the cranes began arriving.

Hundreds of paper cranes, strung together. From schools and different organizations. Victims, survivors, and their families. Hundreds quickly turned into thousands. The ICU nurses, along with Shouto's three sidekicks, hung the cranes from the ceiling beginning in Ani’s room and there was enough to line all the hallways of the ICU like a wisteria tunnel. Warmth touched Shouto’s heart and he dared to hope. The sun was setting when visiting hours ended and he said good-bye to his sidekicks.

He went to the window, watching the golden light bathe the city, and heard his name like it had never been said before.

 

There were so many details to notice. It was the same room Shouto had been in when he was in the ICU. The packed displays of well wishes. The cranes gently twisting as they dangled from the ceiling. But there was only one thing worth looking at.

Shouto stood in front of the window, arms crossed, highlighted by the evening sun. Shouto who was there through it all.

“Shouto.”

Her voice was a dry whisper but he turned none-the-less like his name had been sung from the heavens.

Their eyes met and the rest of the world faded away.

 

“Ani,” he said reverently. She was looking at him. Blue eyes open. Head turned. Looking at him.

“Hi,” she said with a weak smile.

He joined her by the bed and cupped her cheek. “Ani...” He couldn’t be embarrassed by his lack of words...not when she was alive and awake. The golden light filled the room and lit up her face. She lifted a shaky hand to his and gently pressed his thumb to her cheek. His brow furrowed as he realized what she wanted.

“Just so I know it’s not a dream...” she smirked and he gave a rough laugh, giving her cheek the lightest scrape with his icy thumb, skin healing instantly, and her face relaxed, eyes filling with joy that echoed his own.

“You waited for me,” she said and a tear slipped down her cheek.

He smiled warmly. “And you came home.”

“I love you, Sho.”

His shoulders shrugged with the half-sob, half-laugh that barely hinted at everything he was feeling. “I love you, too, Ani.” Forever.

She sighed, pushing her cheek into his hand. He leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss on her lips and rested his forehead on hers.

 

Aino was running. No, flat-out sprinting through the hallways of the hospital nearly colliding with several people as he rushed to the ICU. The nurses had called to tell him his sister woke up and the doctors were going in to see her. He had to stop so fast he almost slammed into the door and saw Ani still laying on the bed but responsive. Bed angled up, Answering doctor’s questions. Holding Shouto’s hand.

He opened the door and she turned to him with a smile. “Hi big brother.”

“Ani,” he said and rushed to the bed to give her a big hug. Several monitors beeped out in protest and she patted his back. He could feel she didn’t have all her strength back but that was okay. She had passed the hardest milestone: she woke up. He stepped back and cleared his throat. “Sorry for interrupting,” he said to her and the doctors. He met Shouto’s eye and they exchanged a small nod, a gesture of relief and hope.

Aino stayed until the other doctors left and he sat on the unoccupied side of Ani’s bed. He smirked and crossed his arms. “So...I’ll say it before you can give me a hard time. You were right.”

“Wow, well it feels good to hear you admit it...” She smirked with a chuckle. “But...what was I right about?”

“Geez,” he admitted with a roll of his eyes. “You’re going to make me say it, too. You were right. It worked.”

“What worked?” Ani asked with a furrowed brow. She glanced at Shouto who looked equally confused.

“All those treatments you made me prepare...” Confusion soon crossed Aino’s features and he gave a pointed look at Shouto who had a creeping realization that he may have forgotten to tell Aino something important. The surgeon chuckled and shrugged. “It’s alright, you can give me a hard time later. I have to go check on some patients.”

He patted his sister’s hand, giving it a squeeze, and left the two of them alone.

“Okay, that was weird, right?” She said looking to Shouto once the door closed.

He met her gaze with a guarded expression. “Ani...there’s something I have to tell you.”

“What is it?” Caution clouded her face and she tried not to let fear spike in her heart.

Shouto took her hand. “Before I tell you, I want to be clear: I am in love with you and have been through all of this, no matter what.”

“Ookay,” she encouraged him hesitantly.

“When you were kidnapped, the league of villains altered your memory.” he took a steadying breath.

“Are-are we—”

“We’re together. Yes,” he assured her. “But we haven’t been together for a few weeks. Ani...we’ve been together for over three years.”

Years.

Years.

Ani’s eyes widened and tears spilled over.

“Ani, I’m so so sorry, I—” His voice broke with pain. How was he going to be able to explain—

“Why are you sorry?” Her eyes shimmered, cheeks wet with tears. “We’ve been together for years.” She asked with an elated laugh of relief and sniffled. “They tried to convince me you didn’t love me, that you couldn’t love me because we hadn’t been together very long and I felt crazy for still being madly in love with you and believing you loved me the same way.”

From the look in her eyes he saw it didn’t matter that years of their memories had been erased. The love she felt for him had stayed, refusing to be forgotten. It simply saturated what she could remember.

“So you’re...you’re still...” his throat became too thick with emotion to ask.

Her eyes shined. “Very much in love with you. And want to be with you as long as you want me around.”

“I will always want you around.” He laughed once with her and they smiled at each other. “Does it bother you...that you don’t remember a lot of our time together?”

She shrugged. “I don’t know...it kind of just feels like waking up after blacking out. Except instead of just for a night...it was...y’know. A couple of years.” Her eyes shifted away from him. “Does it bother you?”

“As long as you still love me, I don’t care,” he admitted.

A faint pink brushed across her face and it was enough to warm his heart. She gently pulled on his arm, asking him to come closer and he sat on the edge of the bed gently leaning against her chest with his back to the door. She wrapped her arms around him and he listened to the beating of her heart.

“I do love you,” she whispered. “And, Sho...I’m going to love you forever.” She felt the drops of moisture on her hospital gown but didn’t call attention to it. He sank against her and she ran her fingers through his hair feeling the same, unspoken promise from him as she had so many times before.

 

The door was opened abruptly. No knock, no request to enter.

“Oi. Goldilocks, you’re finally awake.” Bakugo appeared in her doorway, hands stuffed in his pockets, typical scowl in place.

Ani kept her arms wrapped around Shouto, giving him a private minute to wipe his face, as she turned to the explosive ash-blonde. “And you’re as moody as ever.”

“I told you to knock!”

Ani heard her own voice and she stiffened. Shouto sat up to see Ani’s clone walking in.

“Hi Ani,” she said with a meek wave as she stood next to Bakugo who had started to relax.

“Whoa...” Ani stared at her identical reflection. Except for the hair. Where Ani had long, blonde hair, her clone had bobbed it off at her chin and dyed it copper. “That color looks good on you. Us?” Ani’s brow furrowed with humor and she laughed at her awkwardness. “This is weird.”

“Told you it would be,” grumbled Bakugo.

The clone gave him a flirtatious scowl. “It needed to happen, regardless, because it’ll be out of the way and we can all be friends.”

Friends?” Shouto and Bakugo asked at the same time giving each other a disdainful glance. Ani looked at her copy and they exchanged a laugh.

“You know what I mean,” said her clone. “Ani...please, if you would, call me Hansha.”

“Hansha...” Ani looked at her with a raised brow. “Are you sure?”

She nodded, shaking her head of copper. “Yeah. It feels right.”

“Okay, Hansha.” Ani smiled and asked “do you have all of my memories?”

“Yepp,” Hansha gave her a thumbs up. “Right up until they made me.”

“I’m sorry for what they did to you,” offered Ani.

Hansha shrugged. “It’s nothing compared to what they did to you. Besides...with your quirk, I have a real chance at staying alive.”

“I hope you’re around for a very long time. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help you. Though it seems like you’ll be well taken care of.” Ani gave Bakugo a sly glance.

“Your damn right she will be,” Bakugo gave a cocky grin. "And soon she’ll be with the real number one.” He gave Shouto an overconfident stare. Shouto just rolled his eyes but Ani’s expression twisted in confusion.

“Wait. What?” She asked, looking between the two pro heroes. Shouto looked suddenly guilty and Bakugo ogled at him. “What is he talking about?”

“You didn’t tell her?!” Bakugo asked with admonishing incredulity.

“Okay, we’re going to give you some space—” Hansha started grabbing Bakugo’s arm.

“Hey! What are you—” He immediately protested until Hansha gave him a quick kiss on his cheek and rushed out of the room with a playful chortle. “Oi! Get back here!”

He rushed out and the door closed on its own behind him.

“I hate to admit it, but they look really happy together.” Shouto smiled at the door.

“Nice try,” Ani said and crossed her arms with playfully narrow eyes. “What did Bakugo mean when he said that?”

“Well...the annual billboard was released a few days ago...” His eyes were wandering around the room, finally meeting her patient gaze. “And I was,” he cleared his throat. “Ranked number one.”

Ani’s mouth parted and her arms fell uncrossed. “Shouto...that’s...that’s amazing.” A smile slowly stretched from ear-to-ear. “You did it! You’re the number one hero!” Her hands balled into fists as she squealed. “Aah! I’m so happy for you!!”

“Thanks.” He smiled, grinned with her. There were so many things he wanted to say. To explain how he could not have done it without her. How many times she saved him over and over again, even while she was gone. He wanted to apologize for not saving her sooner. For everything she had to go through while she waited and how much he missed her. Most of all he wanted to tell her that becoming the number one hero was only the penultimate goal; long ago his priorities had changed. And being with her was the true pinnacle.

But looking at her elated expression, all he wanted to do was savor the moment of her happiness and bask in her return. Because the achievement was only worth sharing together.

 

Ani was cleared several days later after numerous tests and physicals confirmed she was back to peak health. She felt good. Better than good as she came out of the bathroom dressed in jeans and one of Shouto’s hoodies that Fuyumi brought from their home.

He smiled as she nuzzled the baggy fabric. “Comfortable?”

“Mmm, the most.”

She donated all the gifts, plants, balloons, and flowers to other patients in the hospital and a nearby long-term care facility. The paper cranes hung in the pediatric ward. The few things that were brought to her were already stuffed into a small backpack and Shouto insisted on holding it for her. She stood in front of him, beyond words for how she was feeling.

She chose to reach her lips up and pressed them to his. He kissed her back, wrapping his arms around her waist as she put hers around his neck. They held the intimate position for a long moment until Ani pulled back.

“Let’s go home,” she said.

I already am, Shouto thought but he smiled and nodded, catching one of her hands and holding it as he followed her out.

Chapter 68: Halloween Special

Summary:

Have this thing I did, a weird semi-one-shot thing from one of Ani's forgotten Halloweens. Probably her first with Shouto? Idk. Tbh I don't know what I was really doing here. Just caught the Halloween fever and word vom'ed this out for fun (not plot relevant). It doesn't feel complete but I'm not sure I want to mess around with it anymore since it was just for fun. Wtf. Why am I rambling?! Enjoy.

Notes:

*NSFW*

Possible Trigger Warning: Kind of a Con/Non-con situation

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Shouto...pplleeaassee.” Ani exaggerated the pout of her lips, trying to give him the biggest puppy-dog eyes.

He grimaced. In the past, he never liked Halloween...well, it was more of an issue of never understanding the point. Getting dressed up in costumes? Pretending to be someone or something else? Why? It had all been very irritating until Halloween with Ani.

Uraraka and Yaoyorozu had organized a part-reunion, part-Halloween celebration and invited a much larger crowd than the first gathering at Mina’s house. He had never been to one of these larger parties and was reluctant to go. He could tell Yaoyorozu still harbored resentment toward Ani and worried the atmosphere of this holiday would be taken advantage of.

“Why do you want to go?” He asked, sitting down on their bed as she stepped up between his knees and draped her arms on his shoulders. It put him at eye level with her chest and he could think of plenty of other things to do than go to a party and be surrounded by irritations.

She played with the base of his hairline and he closed his eyes, enjoying the sensation. “Well...the Mad Hatter’s suit would look amazing on you.”

“I’m not like him at all,” he argued and rested his head between her breasts.

“True,” Ani admitted. She could feel his hot breath through her shirt and tried to keep her resolve in-tact. She had promised Mina to do a joint costume and didn’t want to let her friend down despite the familiar pull on her body from Shouto’s presence. “But that doesn’t really matter. Do you think I’m like Alice?”

He shifted just enough so she could see when he lifted an eyebrow at her. “More than you realize.”

She blushed. “Is that a good thing?”

“Yes,” he said and leaned back on the bed pulling her with him so she was lying on top of him. Her weight was satisfying. Comforting. “Alright...I’ll go.”

She gasped, not expecting him to relent this early. “Really?!” She grinned when he nodded and straddled his hips so she could wrap her arms around his chest. “Thank you!”

He rolled over and she could feel his arousing interest in the time left before the party.

“Although...” he dropped his voice as he kissed the base of her neck. “Since you don’t want me to go as the white rabbit...I don’t care about being late...”

She drew in a quick breath as he placed open-mouth kisses on her neck with alternating hot-and-cold breaths. “Sh-Shouto.”

“Yes?” He asked without leaving her skin. He found the spot that always made her body give in and placed a particularly hard kiss there. She whimpered softly, temptation starting to erode her worries about getting everything ready on time.

“I ha-have to shower before we go,” she said as if it was a reason for him to stop what he was doing. He started unbuttoning her shirt and her face blushed as he kissed each new exposed patch of skin.

“What?” He asked at her strained expression. “I thought I'd help you."

The thought of him undressing her, taking his time with her as they showered together was enough to make her rub her thighs together. The feelings of obligation to be on time gave away and he saw it in her eyes. He grinned victoriously and leaned back down, claiming her mouth with a hot and greedy kiss. She parted her lips for him without hesitation and he delved into her mouth. Her hands flew to his face as the sounds of their eager kissing mixed with heavy breaths. He fumbled to finish the last few buttons and push her shirt open but before he could grab one of those glorious mounds

His phone rang. They ignored it.

It went to voicemail.

Shouto massaged Ani's breast and she pushed herself up into his muscular hand. She wanted him take the damn thing off already.

His phone rang again.

His mouth moved from hers and reattached to the top of her boob pushed up and plump from his grip.

His phone beeped and announced 'one new message marked urgent' but he didn’t seem to hear it. He was finally sneaking his tongue under the cup of her bra making her moan. She wanted that tongue just a few inches lower—

'one new message, marked urgent'

Shouto growled against Ani’s skin and released her flesh after getting torturously closer. She swallowed the whine of protest as he reached for his phone, he was a hero and people counted on him.

“Oh, shit.”

Her pro lover rarely swore…and it made Ani instantly alert to the seriousness of the situation.

“I have to go,” he said with a forlorn look down at her.

“I understand.” She cupped his cheek, absentmindedly brushing his scar. “Be safe.”

“I will.” He gave her a quick kiss and climbed off, hesitating before he left the room.

“Are you going to be okay to get to the party on your own?” he asked, not expecting her to stay home alone and miss a party while he was out working.

She nodded. “Yeah, I’ll get a Lyft or something.”

“Okay, be safe,” he said and kissed the top of her head. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” she said as he rushed out. She sat on the bed by herself still feeling very much aroused and knew she couldn’t go to the party like this. She flipped down. Shouto's smell filled the air around her and she rolled over, facedown, onto his pillow. It was intoxicating. His scent saturated the downy rectangle and she felt high. She inhaled deeper and moaned.

Without realizing it she was grinding against the bed, humping the shared blankets bunching between her legs as she clutched her boyfriend’s pillow. Her own fingers slipped between her legs and added friction, just enough to that one spot—unnh! Her body burned with the powerful orgasm and she pulsated, empty and unsatisfied. She moaned dejectedly into Shouto’s pillow wishing he was there inside of her.

There was still a mountain of arousal churning in her lower belly but that finish took the edge off. She had a party to get ready for and with no sexy, distracting boyfriend there anymore she had no reason to wait to get ready.

As she stepped out of the shower, fresh and clean, Mina texted. The pink girl wanted to know when Ani was planning on going and she explained the change of plans.

 

Hell no, you are not going to take an UBER.

 

Well, I don’t want to take the train on Halloween in a costume and I don’t have a driver’s license. I’m not seeing any other option.

 

Mina didn’t respond. Ani shrugged it off, appreciating the girls concern but more grateful she dropped the issue. It was time to get ready! Hair, blown dry. Deodorant? You betcha. Teeth: brushed. She pulled up her costume twirling in the short skirt of her blue Alice in Wonderland dress and added the white apron and white stockings. She twirled again and smiled feeling like something was missing. Ah! The headband! She skipped back to the bathroom and slid it into place.

“Perfect.” She beamed. “Time to get a ride.” She opened the app but before she could place an order her phone rang. It gave her a jump and she fumbled, nearly dropping the phone in surprise.

She laughed out loud at herself.

“Hello?” she answered without checking.

Oi! Are you coming or not Goldilocks?!

She pulled the phone away from her face and checked the number. Why was Bakugo…?

“Um, yeah but I have to get a ride first, haha.” She grabbed her small wallet and keys and tucked them into a pocket of her dress as she slipped into her black heels. “Which I’ll do as soon—”

That’s what we’re here for dumbass!

“What?”

He rattled off the Todoroki towers address. “that’s where you are, right?

“Y-yeah..”

Well then get your ass down here! Pink-head said that shitty half-and-half ditched you and we needed to pick you up!

Ani blushed deeply and heard someone in the background. “Hi, Shida! We’re waiting out by the curb, we couldn’t get in!” It was Kirishima.

“Oh, okay! Thank you!” she said with a smile they could hear. She bounded out of their apartment. “I’m coming!”

Bakugo made some impatient sound and abruptly hung up. Ani sent a message to Mina thanking her for thinking of asking them as she rode the elevator down.

Waiting outside for her was a nearly shirtless Tweedledee and a curmudgeon looking Bakugo.

“Aww, Tweedledee and Tweedledum. That’s great!!”

Kirishima howled with laughter as steam nearly came out of Balugos ears. “Tetsutetsu is my costume partner! He’s meeting me at the party!”

“Oh, sorry!” laughed Ani. To Bakugo she asked “Are you going as anyone?”

His glowing red eyes met hers and a wide, wicked grin dread across his face. He held up a headband, without putting it on, that held two purple cat ears. “ The Cheshire cat.”

“Cool.” Ani wrapped her arms around herself as a cold breeze swirled down the street. It picked up the hem of her skirt and revealed a patch of skin on her upper thigh where her stockings ended. Bakugo’s throat closed up.

Kirishima opened the car door for Ani, offering her the front passenger seat. “Come on, don’t get a cold or Todoroki will kill us.”

“Thanks,” she said and slid into the front seat as Bakguo took the driver’s seat. Kirishima happily accepted a position in the back, knowing how his best friend felt about their new passenger.

Ani buckled and smiled at Bakugo who was trying desperately not to look at her legs again. “Thanks for picking me up, guys. Mina didn’t tell me so I’m sorry if you were waiting a long time.”

“It’s not a problem at all,” Kirishima eased her fears. Bakugo only grunted as he tried to focus on driving. “We couldn’t let you take a cab or something on a night like tonight...there's usually always trouble on Halloween. I’m surprised we haven’t been called in yet.”

Ani glanced back at him. “Are you disappointed?”

“That we haven’t been called in?” The red head shrugged. “It’s always nice to get out there as a hero but the party’s going to be a lot of fun, too. You’re going to meet a lot more UA alumni than you had at the last party.”

“H-how many more?” She asked nervously. With her attention on Kirishima she missed how Bakugo’s eyebrow raised, catching her nerves.

A lot more.” He grinned his spikey-tooth grin. “And it sounds like Uraraka and Yaoyorozu went all-out on the party planning.”

Oh no. Ani’s heart was starting to pound. She was very quickly getting overwhelmed. She knew the party was going to be larger than the last but she underestimated how much larger. And she had never interacted with Yaoyorozu without Shouto around. Her hands became clammy wondering if the pro-hero would try to mess with Ani. She hadn’t realized it before...but now...

Kirishima was excitedly listing off all the details he knew about the party. About the other coordinated costumes. The food. The music the dancing the games—

“Ai! Shitty-hair!” Bakugo snapped, looking in the rear-view mirror. “You’re giving me a headache!”

Kirishima met the red eyes in the mirror, that glanced pointedly at Ani, and he saw how tense she had gotten. “He he, I mean...it’s...ah, damn. Sorry, Ani.”

“What?” She turned, expression relaxing. “Oh, no. Don’t be sorry!”

Kirishima and Bakugo exchanged another glance.

“Really,” insisted Ani. “I’m fine. This is going to be fun!” She smoothed out the skirt of her dress and prompted Kirishima again who easily fell back into conversation. It expanded beyond the party with Kirishima happy to answer Ani’s questions about himself and interested enough in asking his own. Bakugo was quiet but listened with rapt attention as he drove. When the topic of music came up, the driving pro-hero silently offered an aux cable and his passengers took turns playing some of their favorite music.

Before Ani realized it, they were there. Midoriya and Uraraka’s apartment building. Once they pulled through the security gate they saw the whole garage was decorated. They drove on dark, foggy ramps and Bakugo scoffed.

“Damn nerds,” he muttered and found a parking spot in the dim light. Ani stepped out and all the white parts of her costume began to glow: blacklight. She shivered involuntarily.

“Come on.” Kirishima pointed to the elevators and Ani hustled, heels clacking along the cement. Her phone dinged as the elevator doors closed and Bakugo couldn’t help looking over her shoulder.

“Is it your unstable boyfriend?” He chided.

Ani gave him a friendly dismissal. “No, it’s Mina. She just got there upstairs and wanted to know if we made it yet.” She lifted her phone up to take a selfie fitting Bakugo and Kirishima in, too, as they scowled and grinned respectively. She laughed at the message she received and turned the screen to the guys. It showed Mina dressed in a skin-tight, low-cut, short dress covered in black and red hearts, white fringe lining the bottom hem. She had a cute golden crown headband and was in the picture with a silver Tweedledum. The text said get up here already 😉

Ani slipped her phone into her pocket feeling more at ease knowing her friend and costume-partner was waiting. The elevator opened and Ani’s mouth dropped open. She’d never seen Midoriya and Uraraka’s apartment before but there was no way to tell what it looked like underneath all of the decorations. Fog billowed endlessly across every floor. Spiderwebs, black branches, and orange twinkle lights hung from every corner and there was not a single regular light bulb in the whole place. Every pool of light was either green, purple, orange, or blue.

“Whoa,” Ani said as her eyes lit up, sparkling. Bakugo had stopped, watching Ani’s reaction, and he was thankful for the dim light. It hid his blush. “This is so cool.”

“Ahhhhh! You’re here!!!!” Mina squealed as she lunged for Ani and they nearly toppled over. The pink girl squeezed her friend. “I’m so happy you made it!”

“Me, too!” Ani said, hugging her back. Bakugo rolled his eyes and walked away. “Thank you again for asking them to give me a ride.”

“Anytime,” Kirishima said giving Ani a wide grin. The matching silver Twiddledum threw an arm over Tweedledee’s shoulder and gave an equally spikey grin.

“Hey bro, aren't you going to introduce me to your friend here? Clearly, she’s a part of our group.” His eyes fell to the dress and traced her white stockings up and down.

“Yeah! Testu, this is Todoroki’s girlfriend: Shida Ani.” Kirishima enjoyed watching his twin’s reaction.

The silver man’s eyes widened and he looked between them. “No shit. That’s you?” When Ani nodded, Bakugo walked away and Tetsutetsu said “damn. Where is that lucky bastard?”

“He got a call when we were getting ready,” Ani said, resting her head on Mina’s shoulder.

“Yepp,” Mina said. “So she’s with us tonight!” They took her through the party introducing her to a number of new faces. A lot of people had gone with group costumes. Yaoyorozu donned a pale-blonde wig, scantily clad in a sheer ice-blue dress; Elsa, with a matching Uraraka dressed up as Anna and Midoriya as Kristoff. Tsu and her boyfriend were dressed up like matching snow people and an-obviously-unwelcome-but-participating-anyway Mineta was dressed like a rock troll. There was a group of friendly students from class b dressed up as street fighter characters.

At some point Bakugo had rejoined their touring group and Ani’s head was spinning from all the names and faces. They ended up in a far corner of the apartment that was part guest room, part weight room, where a group lounged around. Hazy smoke filled the air, though Ani couldn’t tell who or where it was coming from, and Mina sat down with Twiddledee and Twiddledum on either side of her.

“What are we playing??” She asked enthusiastically. And a guy with haunting eyes, short blonde hair, dressed like Ken from street fighter, leaned forward.

“We’re not playing anything...” he said with a glint in his eye. Mina thought it was fun, but the guy’s manic stare gave Ani chills.

She leaned toward Bakugo, tilting her head away from the group, and quietly asked “who is that guy?”

Her shaky breath slid across Bakugo’s skin and he clenched his jaw, answering her as clearly as he could. “He’s a joke. Shit-talker wannabe from the class below us. Bunch of the other low-lifes in here are from that class, too.” He saw the tightness to her expression and added “totally harmless.”

Ani’s eyes flicked around the room to the lanky, dark-haired man hanging on a weight machine in the corner. His baggy eyes had lingered on her for a while now since she came in. “And that other guy, purple hair?”

Bakugo’s eyes shifted unabashedly and saw him. “Yeah, that guy’s a fuckin’ creep. Name’s Shinso. He’s got a mind control quirk so don’t answer any of his questions unless you want to end up his slave.”

Ani’s eyes widened and she visibly gulped. By the time her attention had returned to the main group she had missed the logistics of what was about to happen.

“So...who wants to go first?” The short-haired blonde asked the group.

Kirishima and Tetsutetsu grinned at each other and poked Mina from each side. She squeaked and it was mistaken as volunteering.

“Ugh, fine Monoma!” She said to the short-haired blonde. “You guys are going, next!” Mina scolded the two next to her. They snickered at each other and high-fived. She stood up, adjusting the skirt of her dress, and reached into a glass bowl in the middle of the room. Aloud she read “two hits, then tell a secret to your closest friend in the room.” Mina shrugged. “That’s not so bad.”

Shinso handed Mina a tiny spray bottle which she squirted into her mouth. Two sprays. Her eyes roamed the room and landed on Ani whose eyes grew wide. The Alice-in-Wonderland dressed girl froze as the queen of hearts crossed the dim room with a sly smirk and leaned in. Her whisper tickled Ani’s ear. “I want to have a threesome with Kiri and Tetsu.”

Ani forced herself to swallow and tried not to look off-put as the queen of hearts giggled and took her seat back on the floor between the two guys. “What did you say??” Kirishima asked.

“Yeah, tell us!” Tetsutetsu prodded.

Mina shook her head. “It was a secret! I don’t have to tell the group.” She looked over her shoulder and gave Ani a wink. That, with her giggle, made Ani relax and smile. It was all just a game.

“Who’s next?” Monoma asked and Tetsutetsu volunteered, announcing the manliness of stepping up after he made Mina. Kirishima glowered at his twin.

The silver-haired guy reached in and drew a piece of paper. “Oh, shit...it’s a challenge.”

“What does it say?!” A few people called out.

“Use the spray first!” Monoma reminded him. Tetsu rolled his eyes and gave himself a spritz.

He cleared his throat and announced “how far down can you strip? If someone else takes off more clothes, you have to get completely naked.”

Ani’s face burned. “Ookay, I think that’s my cue to leave,” she said to no one in particular and ducked out of the room. The air in the hallway was instantly cooler and her mind calmed down once the door was shut. She was lost in thought and didn’t hear the door open and close again.

“What’s wrong goldilocks?” Bakugo’s rough voice pulled her from her sullenness and she smiled. A little too big.

“Nothing, just needed some air.” She tried to hold her smile for him.

“You don’t have to do that with me,” he said.

“Do what?” She kept smiling but her eyes weren’t convincing.

He crossed his bulking arms. “Pretend like everything’s okay.”

“But everything is okay,” assured Ani. “I’m just tired—”

“Bullshit.” Bakugo’s crimson eyes burned into hers.

Ani chewed on her lip, eyes falling to the floor and it became harder with every passing moment. “It’s not fair to talk about it with you.”

“Because it’s about your nutjob boyfriend.”

Ani nodded without looking at him.

“Well, goldilocks, it’s your lucky night.” When she looked up at him, he was sliding on his cat ears. “I’m in the mood for some conversation tonight. Try me.”

She measured his expression. “I’m sad.”

“Why.”

“I miss Shouto. I had just convinced him to come with me, maybe even dressed up, when he was called out for an incident.” She scrunched her lips like she was trying not to cry. “And I worry about him. He’s so strong and brave and selfless...I don’t want anything to happen to him.”

A wild cheer broke out from the guest room and Bakugo’s mind started reeling. Ani cleared her throat and quickly wiped away the moisture at her eyes.

“Thanks for listening, Bakugo.” She smiled at him but it didn’t touch her eyes. He wanted to scoop her up and make her forget all of her sadness. His muscles flexed against his internal battle of wills. God, the way she looked at him as if he had actually done something to take care of her instead of just stand here made his skin feel like he was on fire. The hug of her dress at her hips, the secret unclothed part of her thighs, her innocent white stockings slipped into black heels. It was becoming too much for him to endure.

“Anytime,” he said with dismissal and went back into the guest room without thinking.

“BAKUGO’S TURN!” Kirishima shouted and was met with several cheers and hoots. Needing something to distract himself from the swelling emotions building in his chest he went to the bowl without protest.

“Wait!” Monoma paused the action. “Spray first.”

“What? Why?” Bakugo snarled. Mina handed him the spray bottle filled with an iridescent green liquid.

“Rules of the game,” answered Monoma. “So we know you won’t chicken out.”

“Who’re you calling chicken?!” barked Bakugo and sprayed his mouth several times.

“Uh-oh,” Kirishima said under his breath.

“He’s not playin’ around,” noted Testu.

Bakugo shoved his hand in the bowl and grabbed a piece of paper. But it separated. He accidentally grabbed two but before he could put one back someone jumped up and yelled. “He drew two!”

“Oooo!” Mina crowed. “You’ve got to do them both now!”

“What?!” Bakugo roared but Monoma clicked his tongue.

“What’s wrong?” He jeered. “Don’t think you can handle it?”

Bakugo’s lip twitched; he wasn’t going to back down from whatever stupid challenge this—

 

Describe your last sex dream/fantasy you masturbated to.

 

Ah, shit. Well...it didn’t say he had to specify who it was with. He tried remembering what he last thought about and, oh fuck. Oh no. He remembered what it was and he definitely didn’t want to share that story with anyone but the words were already on their way out.

“I was...” he tried to swallow, to force the story back down but he couldn’t. The spray. The spray must have been some kind of god-damned truth serum. “I was at home...” Fuck fuck fuck, how could he explain this without revealing anything major. He liked his lips.

“It was right before the party.” He closed his eyes, losing control, and let the fantasy wash over him.

 

A petite woman came walking down the path in the dark forest barefoot, looking lost and confused, in a thin, white nightie. She wrapped her arms around herself and shivered in the night breeze that shook the dark canopy above her.

“H-hello?” She timidly called out and he had the urge to respond but something held him back. He wanted to watch her unhindered for a little longer. “H-hello?” She called again. “Is anyone there?”

He licked his lips, catching a glimpse of her tiny nipples through the almost sheer garment.

“I’m lost,” the young woman called. “Can anyone help me?”

The rousing heat in his body overpowered his control and he answered “I can help you...maybe.”

She turned, looking for the face of her hero, but saw no one. “Wh-who’s there?” She tiptoed forward and the wind grazed her chest, pulling the fabric tight to reveal the full shape of two soft mounds and their pointy tips. She was straining to see who had spoken.

“It was I, lost little one,” he said as he slowly appeared to her. She squealed and jumped back, falling to the ground. He saw nearly the full length of her soft, exposed legs and felt a greedy knot form in his throat. She watched in growing awe as he revealed his brawny self, laying on the branch of a tree in his sweatpants and tank top. “What is someone like you doing somewhere like here?”

She stood up and brushed her gown off. “I-I...Can you help me?”

“That depends,” he said lazily flicking a fingernail. “What kind of help do you need?”

She bit her lip, looking around flustered. “I...I need a way out”

He cocked an eyebrow and slid down from the tree. She stared, mouth agape, at his flexing muscles and he noticed how her toes curled and thighs came together as she fisted her nightie.

“Out of what?” He was started to get annoyed. Impatient.

She looked even more flustered. “Please don’t be upset with me! I-I don’t know what’s happening to me.” Her face flushed. “I’m bring forced to marry a cruel, hard man and I don’t want to.”

“And why do I care?” he said as he approached her predatorily. His eyes raked up and down her form as her sweet little dress seemed to grow shorter and smaller with each passing minute.

“I-I don’t know...But please…I need you to help me,” she reached for him, tears forming in the corner of her eyes, and clung to his shirt. Strange shouts and howls sounded from the forest. “Please, please!”

“What's in it for me, sweetheart?” he asked, brushing a lock of her hair behind her ear.

Her watery eyes swiveled around as she tried to come up with something she could offer. They could hear distinct shouts of angry men and their ferocious dogs approaching, fast.

He clicked his tongue. “If you—”

“I don’t know!” She began to panic, hands shaking from where she clutched at his hulking arms. “A-anything! Anything you want just please, please! Get me out of here!”

A wicked grin spread across his face and his hands snaked down around her waist.

“Done.”

She gave one last glance over her shoulder and could make out the silhouettes against the dark night for a moment before he tucked her face against his chest. He held her against him for a long moment until she realized the forest had grown quiet and pulled away. He didn’t stop her. Instead he savored her reaction as she slowly turned in the windowless, doorless bedroom.

“Wh-where am I?” She asked nervously in the dim, flickering candle light.

He gave her a knowing, crooked smile. “My home...”

Her eyes grew wide and she clutched the remains of the garment in an attempt to cover herself but the gown had shrunk down to a silken chemise, a pathetic piece of fabric that barely covered anything. Her nipples tightened with her heavy breaths with the understanding of the situation she was in.

“Wh-why?” She slowly began backing away as if she had somewhere to go.

He cocked an eyebrow at her. “Why? Because you promised me anything I wanted as long as I saved you from those people. Well,” he gestured to the empty room. “You’ve been rescued. And now I want to collect.”

“What do you want?” She asked breathlessly, eyes revealing that she already knew the answer. She had backed into the wall. “I-I’ve never...”

His eyes glowed greedily. “Even better.” He placed his hands on either side of her head. “You’ll be all mine for as long as I want to play with you.” She blushed and watched his lips as he leaned in and kissed her, pressing his rough lips against her soft ones. At first, she didn’t know what to do and let him kiss her as he wanted but after a few moments of the strong lips working on hers, her eyes fluttered closed and she tentatively moved her mouth. Her response fueled his lust.

He brought his hands to her face and neck, encouraging her efforts as he slipped his tongue inside her mouth. She whimpered slightly at the hot, wet invasion and held onto his wrists to steady herself. Her fingers slowly began to wander, exploring the solid shapes of his arms. The definition in his shoulders. When her slender fingers slipped up into his hair, he gave a deep hum of approval.

She pulled back to catch her breath and he kept his mouth on her, moving across her face to the corner of her jaw and neck as his hands fell to her waist, slipping the straps of her chemise off her shoulders on their way. She gasped as her nipples were almost exposed, the thin silky fabric revealing the top of her areolas. He caught sight of how she was rubbing her thighs together and the breathy sounds she was making. It made him hard. His erection became painful as he saw the little buds begging to be released and he looked up to her face. Her eyes were pressed tightly shut, biting her lip as she waited for him to continue.

He licked a hot stripe up her neck and she moaned quietly. His hot breath fanned across her ear as he whispered.

“Seems like it was a lucky night for both of us.”

Her eyes parted, dark and heavy with need, and he saw what she wouldn’t admit. She was hot and horny...for him. He was going to keep her here, quite possibly for the rest of her life, so that no one else could see her like this. Have her like this. She said he could have anything he wanted.

And he wanted her.

His hand reached up between her breasts and ripped the remains of her chemise off to expose her entirely. She panted as her hands flew around, trying to cover herself, but he grabbed her wrists and pinned her to the wall.

“I don’t think so,” he growled into her ear. “You said...anything...I want.”

She whimpered but the submissive sound was layered with her own arousal.

“Now, be a good girl and leave your hands here...” He looked at her with a raised eyebrow. “Or I’ll have to punish you.”

Her cheeks burned with embarrassment and she bit her lip, hard. He wasn’t sure what turned her on more: the praise, or threat of punishment, but she did as she was told and left her arms up against the wall as his warm, calloused hands cupped her breasts. She closed her eyes and turned her head, trying to hide her pleasure.

“Don’t hold it in,” he crowed. “No one’s going to hear you...or find you here...so make those pretty little noises for me?” She started letting them out and he kept his deep voice in her ear. “Yeah, just like that...let me know what you like, how good you’re feeling...”

He massaged her titties, fingers pulling back to circle her pink nubs. He could see wetness beginning to slick down between her thighs. Damn. Her almost immediate submission to him and growing pleasure was making him lose control. He bent down and flicked a nipple with his tongue and she cried out.

“You like that?” He teased. “You slutty little princess?”

She nodded her head, not able to look at him, as she silently begged him to do it again.

He dragged his tongue wide, wet, and hot over her nipple leaving his saliva behind that cooled in the air and puckered her nipple. She held back a moan.

“Now...that won’t do...” he admonished her. “I told you to let those sounds out...I’ve earned them after all...”

When he latched onto her nipple, grazing his teeth across it and sucked hard, she cried out and her hands flew to his head, fingers running through his hair as he milked the moans out of her.

“Oh!...Ooh!” She arched her back, wanting him to take more of the tit and he opened his mouth working his tongue around the soft flesh as his hot breath sent shivers down her spine. “Mnh! Ungh!” She struggled for words. “The--the ooh! The other one!”

She was desperate for attention on her other lump but he stayed locked in place, unwilling to detach from the now oversensitive teet. She began mewling, part in protest, part in pleasure, hands stroking across his scalp as she felt a warm silk between her legs and realized in embarrassment that it was coming from her privates.

“P-please!” She begged but he ignored her. His hands slowly rose up the side of her body catching her arms and forcing her wrists back in place. He released her spit-covered mound and rose from her chest.

“You didn’t follow the rules,” he pointed out. “I’m going to have to tie you down now, because of that.”

Her eyes grew wide, blush grew deeper, as he sauntered away, pulling her away from the wall, and pushed her down onto the bed.

“I was going to take my time with you...make you beg for my cock...but now,” he had tied her hands to the headboard while she was hanging onto his every word. She pulled against the restraints, suddenly aware of how vulnerable she was and helpless as he forced her legs apart. His eyes flashed predatorily at her pink lips dripping with juices from his attention. He licked his lips and pushed his pants down just enough to let his throbbing member fall free. “I’m just going to fuck you senseless.”

She drew in a breath, something ready to say to him but her words were replaced with a guttural moan as he positioned his tip at her entrance and began pushing in. She was tight—so goddamned tight—and warm and wet and as he split her hymen he savored the knowledge that she was all his. She wiggled and squirmed underneath his powerful body as she stretched for the first time and licked up the tear that slipped from her eye. He kept pushing as slowly as he could and she threw her head back, crying out.

“You take me so good, princess,” he said and felt the flutter of her lips around his member at the praise. “Taking my cock like this for the first time.”

She groaned out in pleasure underneath him.

“Your tight little pussy is so wet for me.” He nipped at her neck and she spread her legs without thinking, taking more of him in with a deeper angle. “That’s it...take all of it,” he said as he slowly brought his hips flush against her sopping wet cunt. She cried out, thrashing against the bonds as he began to pull out.

“Yeah,” he grunted at the suction protesting his departure. “Fucking all mine.” He was soon sliding back in, making her a writhing mess as he subjected her to a brutally slow pace. “M-my little whore.”

Her walls clenched around him and he groaned. “You like that...?” he said as he tried to keep his teasing pace. “When I call you my little whore? My little slut?” She wouldn’t look at him but the gush of fluids around his cock was all the answer he needed. “Yeah, you do. Running off into the woods in that...Ngh...that lingerie...just waiting for someone...Mmn...to \take you home...Uhhh...and fuck your brains out...””

Her folds were squelching sinfully and he leaned down to suck on her tits again, slobbering all over them which seemed to lubricate her further. His pace was increasing, losing his control as she fell apart underneath him.

“You dirty little bitch in heat.” He was thrusting now, beginning to bounce her breasts with every rock of his hips. Moans fell from her mouth in a constant stream.

“My...Ugnh...” he snapped his hips and felt his own release approaching rapidly. “My little cumslut.”

She let out a high-pitch whine that keened and became a cry of ecstasy as her virginal pussy squeezed his dick through her first orgasm.

“Oh god,” he groaned and felt his own release shoot ropes of thick cum inside of her. His hips rolled through the pulsing and slowed as his balls felt pleasurably empty.

 

He had cum, then, when he was by himself at home and he very nearly finished again but when he opened his eyes he was snapped back into the present time and place. The Halloween party. More specifically, the guest bedroom. Where he had been playing a game with friends and used so much truth-spray, or whatever that stuff was, that he gave an incredibly detailed account of his last masturbation fantasy. It thickened the dim atmosphere and darkened all the eyes on him, faces flushed as they listened with rapt attention.

“Wow,” breathed Mina. She finally tore her eyes away from Bakugo and bit her lips.

Tetsutetsu covered his mouth while Kirishima gave a low whistle. “Damn dude...what the hell was that?”

“Pervert,” Monoma mumbled but the tent in his pants betrayed his disgust. Hitoshi rose from his chair and left without a word.

Bakugo blinked, trying to clear his mind and get his turn over before he did something he might regret. He glanced at the second slip of paper he had drawn and crumpled it, turning it to ash as he left. No one chased him out the door.

He took a deep breath of the cool air in the hallway but it only helped a little bit. He was feeling caged in and it was unsettling. All this dim light, so many extras, irritating music and conversation. He shouldn’t have let his dumbass friend talk him into this. What was the point of coming here—

Oh.

Right.

Ani...she was standing on the other side of the apartment, just inside by the balcony doors and he felt a stab of jealousy. Or maybe it was hunger. He meandered through the apartment putting together a plate of food and trying to make his way casually over to her. He was a fucking idiot. He could’ve been out here all this time talking to her instead of playing that shitty game. A shadow behind her caught his attention and he changed course, making a direct line for her.

 

Tsu was telling Ani about something and she was doing her best to listen. She really was. But something didn’t feel right and she was unsettled. Was it Shouto? Her mind began to spiral. Was he alright? Was everything okay with him? Tsu’s conversation stopped abruptly and guilt cut through Ani. The woman must have caught her distracted mental state and been offended but when Ani went to apologize, Tsu’s big green eyes were locked on something behind her. Ani turned and smiled.

“Shouto!” Ani said happily but her brow furrowed at his expression. His face was an impassive mask but his eyes were lit with hatred as he stared down at the degenerate mere inches from the ruffles of Ani’s skirt.

“Mineta.” Shouto’s voice dripped like venom. “What are you doing.”

“Heh, hey there big guy! I was just coming over to say hi! I haven’t had a chance to talk to your lovely girlfriend yet!”

Ice slowly crackled the short distance between them and crept up the rock troll’s legs. The purple creep started panicking, trying to pull his legs out but he was already trapped in place. Shouto stepped around and protectively drew Ani against himself.

“Keep your hands to yourself, lowlife.”

Ani could feel heat and cold rolling off her tense boyfriend as he led her away from the frozen troll through the party that hadn’t noticed anything wrong.

Except for the explosive ash-blonde hero positively seething at the missed chance.

Shouto took Ani out onto the balcony and turned his attention to her.

“You came,” she said reverently. She held his gaze for a long moment, both of their eyes glittering with reflections of the city lights.

“Sorry I’m late.” He brushed her hair back over her shoulders as he cupped her face and went in for a kiss.

“You’re right on time,” she said smiling as their lips met and held the contact for as long as they dared at the party. When he pulled back, she looked at the green tailcoat, striped pants, and ruffly ascot. “The costume looks amazing on you.”

“Thanks,” Shouto smirked. “I forgot the hat.”

She draped her arms over his shoulders and played with the base of his hairline. “You’re here. That’s the most important thing.”

The corners of his mouth hinted at a smile, his heart soaking up her love.

 

Bakugo hadn’t moved from where he stopped when Shouto appeared. He watched Ani’s shining attention focus all on her boyfriend whose timing was nothing short of perfect and couldn’t help but feel jilted. His gut was knots.

“Completely sucks, doesn’t it?” A quiet voice said next to him.

From the corner of his eye he saw an ice-queen Yaoyorozu eyeing the sickeningly sweet couple out on the balcony just like Bakugo was. His only response was a low scoff.

“You know...” Yaoyorozu purred in his ear. Arms crossed, she was pushing up her jugs suggestively. “We could...work together...and make them jealous.”

“As if I would use a candy-ass strategy like that.” Bakugo gave her a dirty look. “And you’re not my type, slag.” He left her standing their denying her chance to retort and went to find his shitty-haired friend.

Notes:

Okay, I need to rant real quick about Yaoyorozu. I hate on her pretty strong and it's because I'm disappointed with the development in her character. In season one she started out like a badass, especially when she owned the break-down of Midoriya/Ochaco vs Bakugo/Iida. I was so pumped for this strong, smart, not-willowy damsel to stomp this class and instead she turned out to be another big-titty pussy who bats her eyes and gets all weak-kneed when someone acknowledges her ability...like how she acts in her exam with Shouto vs. Aizawa.

I realize she's probably not as bad as I see her but goddamnit those moments where she has no confidence just really piss me off. #triggered.

Yeah, rant over. Sorry. I had to get that off my chest.

Chapter 69: A li'l bite to eat

Notes:

*NSFW*

 

Just an quick filler, non-plot relevant nsfw chapter during this intermission...

 

hahaha also I just realized it's chapter 69. Not intentional

Chapter Text

“Where’s Dojire?” Ani asked as she closed Shouto’s office door behind herself.

Shouto leaned back in his chair and watched her cross through the dim pools of light in his office. She had already changed out of her scrubs into skinny jeans and one of her white floral tops.

“He already went home,” answered Shouto as a sinful idea came to him.

“Oh.” Ani looked worried. “Is he okay?”

The red-white head nodded. “It’s his anniversary today so I insisted he go home on time.”

“That was kind of you,” Ani said as she came around the side of his desk and he pulled her into his lap.

“What can I say?” He said as he leaned in to her lips. “I’m in a giving mood.”

She immediately blushed at his innuendo. He held her face as he worked his mouth against hers and she shifted in his lap, trying to press herself against him, but it only ended up grinding her ass into his lap. He hardened under the pressure and one of his hands trailed hotly down her side. When he prodded her mouth, she opened for him with a submissive, satisfied sound and she didn’t notice the roaming of his hands until they were lifting her out of his lap. She threw her arms around his neck and held onto him refusing to part from his possessive kiss...even when he laid her down on his desk. He willingly followed, pressing her into the massive wooden surface as he continued the hot, wet movements of his mouth against hers. He held most of his weight with his icy arm as his other hand hooked her knee up to angle her as he ground into her; he nibbled her earlobe with a chilly exhale and her swollen lips parted with breathy sounds.

He traced the icy tip of his tongue down her neck then stood up, towering over her as he slowly undid the buttons of his dress shirt one-by-one.

“It’s so frustrating...” he said and stared down with such power that heat curled between her legs and she wanted his body back up against her. “...when I have to work late.”

She sucked her lips watching him undress. He opened the shirt and slowly slid it off his shoulders exposing the ribbons of muscles down his arms. He had dreamed of this scenario multiple times and now she was here, office empty. Hell, this late the whole building was practically empty.

Leaving the rest of his clothes on he sat back down in his chair enjoying Ani’s pout way too much when he pulled back up to his desk like he was going to get back to work. Ani sat up, thinking their fun was already over.

“Where are you going?” He asked with a tone that made her freeze and glance around in confusion. “Lay back down.”

Understanding warmed her face and she did as she was told. God, he loved teasing her. It was a rush to affect her like this and have her here all to himself. No meetings. No patients or injuries to tend to. Just the two of them. Alone and uninterrupted in his office.

Shouto made her gasp when he opened her pants and slid them off. He kissed her ankle and licked a line up her calf. On her thigh he sucked hard until there was a deep purple mark. He did the same on her other thigh earning a small moan. He continued up each leg, nearly biting as he left harsher and harsher marks and the evidence of her anticipation was visible through her underwear. He prodded her sensitive area with his nose and kissed her over her underwear, teasing his folds with her tongue. The smell alone was sending blood rushing to his groin.

His phone rang.

The shrill sound made Ani jump and he felt a flash of annoyance at being interrupted. Ani made a quiet groan of disappointment that matched how he felt but not many people had his direct office line and it was usually the sign of an emergency. When he glanced at the number his concerns flipped back to irritation that simmered into a nefarious plan. He held Ani in place, ignoring her perplexed expression that quickly turned into a glower at his smirk. He put a finger over his lips and answered the call—on speaker—before she could protest.

“Hello?” he answered placidly despite his surroundings.

“Todoroki?” The voice of Iida answered with surprise. “You’re still at your office.”

Shouto grinned and started to slip Ani’s underwear off. “I am.” Ani was shaking her head, trying to protest, but he already stripped them off. “Ani’s here, too.”

She looked absolutely furious with him. It was adorable.

“Oh! Hello Shida-san!” The formal man greeted her.

“H-hello Iida-kun,” Ani stuttered out as she tried to keep Shouto’s face out of her privates.

“I hope I’m not interrupting something?” asked Iida in concern.

“Not at all. We were just sitting down to eat,” Shouto assured him with a challenging glance at Ani’s face as he held her hands back and moved right in between her thighs. Her eyes were wide, pleading, but he could still her slick with anticipation. “What can I do for you, Iida?”

As soon as his words were out his tongue was dragging up along her, hot and wide.

“I don’t want to bother you. I was just calling to leave you a message about arrangements for another reunion with our old class from UA.”

Shouto’s words rolled hotly across Ani, making her shudder. “I can talk now. What did you want to tell me?” Ani squeezed her legs around his head in a feeble last attempt to get him to stop. In response he shoved a hot finger inside of her sopping entrance without warning and she covered her mouth only quick enough to muffle her moan, unable to completely hide the sound.

Iida paused mid-sentence. “What was that?”

“Oh that?” Shouto said, adding another finger and curling them against her walls. “It’s Ani. We’re having her favorite tonight.”

“So...good,” Ani said breathlessly, too quiet for Iida to hear. At the sound of her voice he looked up from between her legs, and felt a sudden pang of guilt at her broken expression totally at his mercy. Possessiveness flared, too, and he realized he didn’t want to share her sounds with anyone else.

He realized what he was doing: fingering and eating out his girlfriend while he was taking an unnecessary call. The promiscuity, inconsiderateness of it hit him full-force and he cut Iida off. “Perhaps I misspoke, Iida. I think I’d like to focus on enjoying this with my girlfriend right now.”

“Oh, Oh-yes, of course Todoroki. Should I try calling you again tomorrow or should I email you the infor—”

“Yeah, email me. That’s great, thanks,” Shouto rushed him off the phone and hung up before Iida could respond.

He pulled his fingers out and Ani sighed, hands falling from her face. Shouto picked her up from his desk and she gave him a hurt look.

“That was cruel.”

“I know.” He carried her to one of the couches in his office. “I’m sorry.” He kissed her gently and felt her soften slightly, forgivingly. As he tenderly laid her down on the cushions he offered “let me make it up to you.”

She bit her lip when, with a tentative spread of her knees, he asked “may I?”

She met his gaze and nodded with a heavy blush under his full attention as she opened for him and he returned to her willing and waiting hole. He draped her leg over the back of the couch to lift her hips and make out with her lower lips. She began panting heavily at the feeling of his hot lips working her own, their fluids mixing together and coating her thighs.

“Umnn,” she moaned and buried a hand in her hair. “Mnh!”

He was working deeper into her with his tongue swirling, prodding, and licking with such lewd noises that Ani felt hot with embarrassment. He flicked her clit and she whimpered loudly.

He licked a long stripe up her slit ending with another flick.

“Ouhh.”

Another lick. “Ung!” Another flick.

Followed immediately by another lick and flick as she moaned with that all-too-familiar lilt. Shouto watched her back arch and felt the spasming of her pussy’s orgasm. Her chest heaved as she caught her breath and looked at him still between her legs.

“Thank you,” exhaled Ani.

He grinned devilishly. “Don’t thank me just yet.”

In one smooth motion he flipped her around to face the back of the couch. He quickly opened and dropped his pants, lining himself up at her entrance, and slowly pushed up into her, forcing her walls to spread as she sank back onto his rock-hard cock matching his slow pace. He watched his cock disappear inside her as her ass cheeks met his groin. She flexed her inner muscles, clenching around him as he started to pull out and he made a sound somewhere between a hiss and a groan.

There was so much suction drawing him back in that he couldn’t keep the slow pace up and wasn’t even half-way out before he slammed back into her.

“My god...Ani you feel so good..." he crowed. His hips were rising and falling as he steadily humped up into her now, holding her hips as she braced herself on the back of the couch. He watched his dick slide in and out of her a little more before his eyes began to roam across the rest of her half-naked body. She turned just enough to catch his eye over her shoulder and he saw she was as lost as he was. Still fully sheathed, never breaking the undulation of his motion, he leaned over her and put his hand on top of hers to brace himself with her. His other hand went to her body, pulling them together.

Only the sound of their ragged breaths and fucking pulsed through his office. Shouto buried his face in Ani’s neck and gently pressed his lips on her favorite spot making her moan deeply as her head rolled to the side. He slid his hand down between her legs and sucked on her neck, using both sensitive areas to release her second orgasm and he quickly followed. He filled her with his warm seed, his rocking hips slowing as he emptied deep into her. She rested her head against his as he finally stilled and they each tried to catch their breath.

He pulled out, grabbing a handful of tissues from the coffee table behind him and made sure his fluid didn’t dirty her any more. She gratefully held them against herself and turned around to face him.

“Thank you,” she said as she gave him a light kiss.

“Thank you.” He searched her eyes and cupped her face. “I’m sorry about before.”

“I forgive you,” she said and smiled.

A warm smile of relief spread across his face. “How about some real dinner now?’

“Yes, please,” she said with a happy glint in her eye. “I’m starving.”

Chapter 70: Back to the Grind

Notes:

Continuing from Chapter 67; Back to present time in the plot line

Thanks for coming back to read :)

Chapter Text

Ani recognized her own handwriting on their door. The happy little greeting she had written at some point...but couldn’t remember when. Or why. The three little words swung out of the way as Shouto opened the door to their apartment that was more than what she remembered. Shouto’s apartment had been very clinical before. Not empty, just minimalist. After living there for sometime Ani’s presence had changed the landscape of their home with soft touches like the blanket draped over the couch. Picture frames tucked between books on the shelves. She walked through the apartment slowly, noticing everything that was different.

A small succulent garden on their table. An extra dresser in their bedroom, undoubtedly for all of her clothes. Would she recognize what was in there? Or would they be all new clothes...picked out for a forgotten purpose. Above the bed there was a new painting, a swirling colorful dance of shapes. Had she chosen that? Or did she and Shouto pick it together?

She felt Shouto step up behind her before he placed his hands on her shoulders.

“Ani...?” He quietly asked and she turned, wanting to reassure him that everything was fine but she didn’t want to try and fool him. “What’s wrong?’

“It’s just different than I remember.” She smiled weakly. “I’ll get used to it, I’m sure.”

“Maybe I can help...What have you noticed?” He asked, taking her hand and sitting down with her on the bed. He wanted to ease her distress and any out-of-place feelings he could.

She glanced over her shoulder at the painting. “Well, that’s new for starters.”

He followed her gaze and smiled fondly at the colorful canvas. “Yes. It was my birthday gift from you last year.” He turned back to her with warm heterochromatic eyes. “You commissioned your old friend who painted the Midoriya one from your old apartment, the one that was destroyed...to paint something for us.” He smirked. “You told her you wanted something that felt like...blossoms in spring coated with a winter frost melting from a bonfire.”

Ani burst out laughing and Shouto chuckled with her as he added “your friend said it was the most obnoxious request she’d had in a long time.”

Through her giggles Ani said “yeah. I was certainly asking for something unique.” She threw another look over her shoulder. “She did an amazing job though.”

Shouto nodded, not taking his eyes from her. “She did. She said it was much easier after meeting me and spending some time with the two of us.”

“I’m glad,” she said with a light blush and tucked her hair back behind an ear. “Did you like it? When I gave it to you?”

“Very much.” He squeezed her hand. “What else is new to you?”

She huffed and let her eyes dance around the room. “Mostly little things. Like the picture frames on the bookshelves...the plants here and there.”

He nodded slowly. “A lot of those things appeared slowly. Some were gifts from people at the agency, others were little touches you added over time.”

“Was there anything I added that you didn’t like?” she asked.

He shook his head. “No. A lot of these things don’t really matter to me. Not that they aren’t important—” he quickly tried to rephrase.

“I know,” she said with a smile. “Just that they’re not on your radar.”

“Exactly.” His relaxed smile echoed hers. “It made me happy to see all of those little things appearing as you made this your home, too. It was like there were all of these gaps waiting for you that I didn’t even know of...” he rested his forehead on hers and closed his eyes. “I’m so glad to have you back, Ani.”

She savored the image of him so close and slid in close to wrap her arms around him. “I’m glad to be back...it’s a little weird, but I’m glad.”

He wrapped his arms around her and squeezed. “I want you to know there’s no pressure for you to return to work right away. Take as much time as you need.”

She sighed, leaning into him. “I know...I don’t feel pressured but I’m not sure what else I would do with my time. I want to go back. To keep busy so I don’t have to think about...”

He felt her tense in his arms and he flexed protectively around her remembering everything from M.I.’s memory he’d seen. Everything she’d been through that he didn’t know about. “Well, everyone will be happy to see you. If it’s what you want.”

She sighed “I do” and began to relax again. She tilted her head up and looked at him from under her eyelashes. His eyes narrowed playfully at her.

“...what?”

She sheepishly tried not to smile but couldn’t help it. “Will you cook dinner tonight?”

He released a laugh of relief. “Sure. What would you like?”

“I don’t care,” she grinned and squeezed him. “I just want to be here with you before work tomorrow.”

“Of course,” he whispered into the top of her hair.

 

 

Ani felt like she was walking through fog again. Well...more like she had just woken up from a coma she’d been in for three years while her body had been walking around acting like everything was normal.

Because it had been at the time.

Now she couldn’t consciously remember so many things. The way everyone at the agency looked at her with such familiarity and affection. There were memories of her time here that she would never get back and it began to feel like a cruel joke everyone else was in on. She hardly remembered giving the staff physicals let alone the hundreds of injuries she’d treated in her time here. Endless records and files waited for her to familiarize herself with and it was one way she would get back a little of what was lost. But there were so many files she didn’t know where to begin.

She was quiet by the end of the day. Withdrawn.

Shouto had expected a reaction along these lines and wasn’t worried until they got home and she declined to shower with him. He tried to calm his fears that this would be a long process, longer than it took her before; patience would be key just as it was after she’d been attacked in her apartment. When he got out of the shower he wrapped the towel around his waist and stepped out of the steaming bathroom to find her sitting on the edge of their bed, staring at the floor.

“Ani?” he softly asked and she didn’t respond. He knelt in front of her and she snapped out of her trance.

“Hey,” she said with a hollow smile.

Shouto searched her eyes and cupped her cheek. “What are you feeling right now?”

She blinked a few times, a big tear dropping down her pale cheek. “Overwhelmed.”

“It’s going to take time,” assured Shouto. “I’ll be here with you every step of the way.”

“Why?” She asked in a trembling voice. “You just became the number one hero...wh-why would you want to deal with this right now?”

He wiped away the wet trail with his thumb and weighed his answer. Without saying anything he stood up and went to his dresser to pull out a packet of paper.

“What’s that?” She asked through a sniffle.

He joined her on the bed, holding onto the paper with white knuckles.

“Shouto...?” Ani asked, placing her soft fingers on his hard, clenched ones.

He took a nervous deep breath. “I can’t imagine what today was like for you...or what you’ll face in the days to come...” He met her eyes. “But I love you...and never want you to doubt that because of what you can’t remember...I want you to understand what we’ve been through...and how much I love you...

“I don’t know if this will help at all...to effectively communicate those feelings I have for you or help you with what you’re going through...but I wrote down as much as I could remember of our time together.” He let out one rough laugh. “I can’t promise it’s written well or that it’ll be enjoyable to read and it’s definitely not a complete histor—”

He was cut off by Ani’s lips on his own. He kissed her back without hesitation, running one of his hands up her neck. They stayed together like that for a long time until Ani pulled back and rested her head on his bare shoulder.

“This is amazing,” she said in awe at their private history. She tenderly took it from him and cradled it against her body as a treasure. “Thank you.”

“My pleasure,” responded Shouto. He produced her phone and offered it to her. “Your phone...it still has all of our texts and pictures...which might help, too.”

She snuggled into him and they laid down on the bed together; Ani rested her head on his bare chest and closed her eyes as he played with her hair. No matter what the rest of the world felt like...what she could or could not remember...she knew this was where she belonged and always would. With a deep inhale of his savory scent she relaxed against him and set the papers and phone aside to feel the middle of his chest were the subtle line of hot and cold met. She didn’t realize how much of herself she’d wrapped around him until he grew rigid under her. Her eyes flicked to his face and saw it was tight with discomfort.

She pulled back immediately. “Sho, are you okay?” She was panicked, worried she’d done something she’d forgotten she wasn’t supposed to do. Something he didn’t like. His eyes fluttered open with a strained focus.

“What?” His brow furrowed. “Y-yeah, I'm fine. Why?”

Ani blushed and turned away, surely missing something.

“Ani, what’s wrong?” Shouto asked now. He sat up and wrapped his hands around her upper arms. He rubbed them gently and leaned around her to see her face. “Talk to me, what’s going on?”

She couldn’t meet his face. “You looked so uncomfortable and I didn’t know what I was doing—I couldn’t remember—what could’ve made you feel so bad.”

Shouto wished they could laugh at the truth of the situation together but that wouldn’t be possible for a long time. It was going to take time to get back to that kind of place so, instead, he gently coaxed her face to him.

“You haven’t done anything wrong,” insisted Shouto. “I’ve missed you a lot...in more ways than one...and I’m happy to have you back.” He cleared his tight throat. “My body is feeling that, too.”

Ani glanced down reflexively at the towel around his waist and flushed a bright red. She whipped her eyes up and away to the ceiling as Shouto smirked but he forced it away.

“Ani, I tensed up because I don’t want to force you into something you’re not ready for and I don’t want to make you feel pressured in any way,” he reassured her. He placed a light kiss on her shoulder and stood up, wanting to give her space. He didn’t know the extent of what she’d been through and he was prepared to go as slow as she needed.

He was not prepared for his towel to drop to the floor.

Exposing himself. And his very erect member.

Right in front of Ani at eye level.

It was his turn to blush, face warming with embarrassment and maybe even a bit of mortification, and he froze for only a moment. His mind snapped into action and tried to move but he didn’t get more than a step away before Ani grabbed his hand.

She realized what had happened when she was on top of him and relief coursed through her that she hadn’t done anything wrong. Quite the opposite in fact. And he was too sweet, too thoughtful with his words and actions as he was clearly battling himself. The absolute last thing she wanted was for him to withdraw, even if it was out of consideration for her. He was the person she trusted most in the world and never wanted any kind of distance between them. It would make her feel too alien in her own life. She may not remember everything but he was still her Shouto and the power of their memories was left behind, the feelings that couldn’t be taken.

She held his hand, stopping his escape and let her eyes trail up every inch of his exposed skin and soaked in every hard line of muscle. Her body responded from a deep place in her subconscious that could never forget their relationship especially with the irresistible human being in front of her. He hesitantly looked down and saw the familiar, well-known lust pooling in her eyes.

The tide of will-power was ebbing away as blood rushed to his dick that was getting painfully hard.

Like the emotional love that couldn’t be taken from her, so too the physical affection remained. With three small words she curbed away his hesitation.

“I want you.”

The way she said it, voice layered with a need and desire that matched his own, made him swoop down to her. He kissed her urgently, laying her back on the bed and propped himself above her as her soft fingertips passed over his hard and eager body making him press deeper into the kiss. She matched his fervor, clutching his stony arms and he kissed her like that for a greedy moment. Her lips were swollen when he pulled back and gave her a soft smile.

“I love you, Ani.”

“I love you, too, Sho.” She smiled back but furrowed her brow. “Why do you say that like you’re stopping?”

“Because I am,” he said gently resting his forehead on hers.

“But...I want to keep going...” She looked up at his closed lids.

“I believe you...” he sighed. “I don’t think it’s really the right time yet.” He pecked her lips and pushed off the bed. As he returned to the bathroom with his clothes, he thought about how they saved their first time so it wouldn’t be in response to someone or something else.

The image of her looking up at him with those eyes and the sound of her voice had almost broken him. He leaned against the closed door still painfully erect but trusted his gut. He absolutely believed her that she wanted to be with him...but the tentativeness of her actions gave him a feeling that right now...he needed to go slow. To be more patient than passionate and make sure she was really ready to return to their level of intimacy. He didn’t want to overwhelm her.

After quickly easing his discomfort he slid into his boxer-briefs and sweatpants. Ani was still laying on the bed when he came out but she was on her stomach, reading his written memories. Shouto knew he made the right choice. They didn’t have to prove anything to anyone, ever, even to themselves. The fact that she wasn’t hurt or disappointed, and instead smiled affectionately as he joined her, was proof of that.

“This is so amazing,” she said again and kissed him. "You're incredible."

He grinned as he pulled back. “Thanks,” he said and laid down on his back next to her. He cupped her face and reached up to kiss her again; she slipped her tongue in his mouth. Their entwining lips and tongues moved at a different pace now. Slowly. Savoringly. Exploring with unhurried passion and when they were done, Ani rested on his chest again feeling at ease.

 

~One week Earlier~

 

“No! I’m not going!”

Jireta wanted to pull her hair out in frustration as she tried to stay calm in front of her belligerent child. “You need to go to school. Put your coat on!”

“NO!” Her ten-year-old daughter screamed and slammed her thin bedroom door shut.

“Lolo you have to go!” Jireta pounded, wondering how much her landlord was going to charge her if it broke. She was trying this morning...really trying to remain calm. Respectful. Like the kind of mom she wanted to be.

She didn’t understand how other parents managed their children so easily. There were hundreds of thousands of children going off to school this morning. How the fuck did that happen?! Especially when this obstinate piece of shit was digging in her heels...a different mom would have the ability to gently coax their child out of the room with a magically deep connection and be able to listen as their child willfully shared what the root of the problem was. It was probably happening somewhere else right now. Maybe even somewhere in this building.

It sure as hell wasn’t happening here.

Her mind flashed back to her own school years when her tired, drained parents screamed and yelled at her. Their unleased torrents of emotion were enough to scare her into line; she didn’t even need the threat of punishment or physical abuse. As she went into middle school it almost became soothing. The black-and-white distortion of the world that made it easy to know exactly where to stand, what do to. What to say and when to stay quiet. By the time high school came around she hadn’t noticed what she was like until she was mocked for it: robotic.

But what else was there to become when your every behavior elicited such a strong reaction from the people you loved most?

Those formative years had been warping her mind wihtout her realizing it until she was an adult and became entirely responsible for herself, her actions, who she was before she had time to blink. And she didn’t like who she had become. She spent so long shaping herself to please her parents, seeking their approval, that she hadn’t looked inward. She hadn’t taken the time to get to know herself or what she wanted and by the time she realized the importance of something like this it was...well...time to care for another human being.

This same human being, on the other side of this joke of a door, that she did not understand. At all. She knocked politely.

“Lolo, we talked about this. We were told the city is back to normal now and school was reopening. You knew you were going to have to go today.”

“I don’t CARE!” screamed the child from inside her room.

Jireta rested her head on the door doing her best to ignore the impulse of handling her daughter as she had been handled. The words were right there. The tone and volume, too. It almost felt like her mother was standing behind her, commenting on how much she was failing and couldn’t do such a simple important thing like getting her daughter to go to school.

Pathetic.

Lolo.” Her voice started tensing up despite her best efforts. She wondered what it was like for a parent with a quirk. Did they use it on their children when they misbehaved? “You’re going to be late.”

The only response was music that grew louder as Jireta knocked again.

At this point Jireta’s father would have cut the power to her room, essentially making her choose to stay at home in a dark dungeon or go to school. It was tempting, too, knowing exactly where the breakers were. She inhaled and exhaled slowly, clenching and unclenching her fists and decided to walk away with the hope that Lolo would snap out of whatever she was going through.

Jireta went to her own bedroom and stumbled, nearly falling as she tripped over a pair of her husband’s dirty pajama pants. She caught herself on the footboard before her head could hit it and cursed under her breath. She didn’t need to glance around the room to know that none of her husband’s dirty clothes had made it into the hamper. That was three feet away. Darkness weighed on her head and tension twisted in her shoulder muscles.

Another deep breath did nothing to help her relax.

Jireta looked around trying to count her blessings. Her husband had a great job. Yes, he worked a lot but at least it paid well enough that she didn’t have to work. She was lucky enough to stay home and care for their sweet sapling. And their house. Her eyes passed over the cluttered floor that she had just cleaned and tried to ignore that sarcastic voice from the back of her mind.

Yeah.

Real fucking lucky.

With a tension headache making her eyes feel like a ping-pong ball at the bottom of the ocean she ignored the mess and turned back to greet whatever ass-tart was ringing the doorbell like an animal. Lolo rocketed out of her room, racing past Jireta who had to jump aside to avoid being crashed into.

“Bye mom!” Lolo shouted from the front door without a backward glance and disappeared before Jireta had a chance to see who was at the door. It looked like Lolo had her backpack on at least. More tension throbbed through her head making her feel like a weight was crushing her to the ground and she leaned against the wall, sliding down to the floor.

She scrunched her face trying not to cry from the useless feelings of being overwhelmed and rested her head back against the wall. The gentle thud eased some of the pressure so she did it again, slightly harder and the pain subsided more. She knew what she was doing and this was a very dangerous line to walk. She slipped her hand under the hem of her shirt and felt the soft skin of her stomach.

She rubbed the pads of her fingertips across the unbroken flesh and, on the next pass, raked her fingernails gently over her stomach. She did it again and pressed harder, eyes closing shut as she felt the hint of pain. Her short nails were like razors leaving blazing trails in her skin that would have glowed an angry red if she looked but she didn’t need to. The hidden pain was all-too familiar. All-too calming. She pulled her hand out and let the hem fall back into place...her daughter had gone out to school. There wasn’t a problem here anymore.

Was there?

Chapter 71: Another Day In The Life

Chapter Text

Jireta poured herself a cup of coffee after starting laundry, emptying the sink, loading the dishwasher, tidying the floor of her bedroom, taking inventory of what they’d need from the grocery store later, and making the obligatory phone call to her mom. She sent a text to her husband as she sat down because she couldn’t remember which he liked and hated, onion or garlic, in the dinner she planned for the night and wanted to know before she went out to the gym. Yoga was today and she promised herself—and her husband—she would get out of the house and go to it.

Deep breath in. Deep breath out.

She turned on the tv just to have some noise in the background as she sipped her blistering hot coffee. A young man was standing at the edge of a cheering crowd outside one of Musutafu’s hospitals interviewing a young woman wearing a red-and-white wig.

“He’s worked SOO hard for this for SOOO long,” squealed the young woman. Jireta saw she had #1 painted on both of her cheeks. “He deserves it so much and we’re so lucky to have him as our number one hero!”

Another person tried to shoulder their way in front of the camera and someone else leaned in to the microphone trying to shout but the young man brought it back to his own mouth.

“There you have it, Saskuma! The crowds out here are going absolutely wild over the announcement in support of their favorite, now number one hero.” The man’s face was boxed and shifted to a smaller part of the screen as a woman in a sharp black business suit appeared behind a desk.

“Thank you for that report Ijido." She gave a blinding smile as more fans crowded around him. "Be safe out there.” He chuckled once before disappearing and the woman filled the whole screen.

“The Todoroki Agency released a statement of thanks on behalf of Todoroki Shouto who declined to comment directly after the announcement of his position. The number one hero is still in the hospital waiting by his recently rescued girlfriend’s side as she has not yet woken up from injuries sustained during the recent battle in Musutafu. Neither the hospital nor the Todoroki Agency offered any updates on Miss Shida’s condition.” She folded her hands on top of the papers in front of her. “Thank you for tuning into this exciting report. Keep watching for the Katy Riles show next.”

Some overly colorful ad came on and Jireta checked her phone; still no text from her husband but it was early. He was probably in a meeting. She stood to rinse her now-empty mug and heard the jangling theme song of the day-time talk show over the sound of running water.

Good morning everyone and weelcoomee!” The crowd cheered with the announcer’s fruity voice. “Welcome welcome welcomee!

Jireta glanced at the small tv as she was drying her hands and watching the well-styled woman step out in front of an enthusiastic crowd. She waved with both hands and Jireta wondered who the guest was going to be. There were so many other things, better things, to be doing right now but she paused and chided herself as her curiosity got the better of her.

Wow,” the host crowed breathlessly. “Wow...It’s so great to have all of you here. How about that news, huh?” The crowd screamed, posters for Todoroki appearing out of nowhere. “We have a new number one in town!

The host made her way across the set to the two oversized chairs in the center of the stage and addressed the crowd. “Well...today we—

Jireta’s alarm went off: time to leave for class. She turned off the tv and slung her yoga mat across her back, checking for a response from her husband once more as she left. Hopefully he’d respond by the time she got out of class.

Sounds of construction filled the city as she walked the several blocks to the gym and she plugged in her headphones. She wasn’t listening to anything; they were her armor, giving her the option to tune out everyone and everything around her. Social interactions were not her favorite thing in the world since she’d become a stay at home mom. Not that she hated them, they were just...harder...after you spend all day having nonsensical arguments while completing mindless tasks. And socializing was like any other physical activity that required routine training to stay in shape, so here she was. Out in public.

Going to the gym.

She slugged along through the crowds and paused properly at crossings, waiting for the lights to signal. It grated on her nerves when people ignored them. Did these pedestrians really think their business was more important that they couldn’t wait their turn? And instead they had to cut off a delivery man trying to complete his own work for the day putting multiple lives at risk as he tried to swerve...Jireta clenched her jaw. It was just rude.

The light changed and she crossed the street with the others who waited. From the corner of her eyes she caught sight of the top corner of UA’s main building over the skyline down the road. Her husband was on the campus somewhere, doing accounting or whatever confidential work it was he did. She could feel the complaints and tension rising in her gut like acid reflux and she tried taking a few deep breaths.

With her headphones in her eyes could roam the crowd less awkwardly and watch the people pass as she loved to do. There were so many interesting-looking people in this quirk society and she enjoyed seeing them all. She wondered what they all could do. So many unique talents. So many interesting stories. She made sure not to stare at anyone too long; she didn’t want to make a stranger uncomfortable and wished she was socially lithe enough to strike up conversation with a random person. The few times she had found the confidence to talk to someone she had been enthralled in their story, living vicariously through them.

These thoughts were common for Jireta to have as she came to the looming building and made her way inside. It was easy to get lost in daydreams about other people’s lives and quirks here because it was one of the few places, outside of a hero school, where the government allowed people to freely train and fight with their quirks. After passing a background check, members of the gym were able to take classes to strengthen and improve their quirks as well as spar in a variety of settings. There were aquatic facilities, different terrains, even simulated forest and jungle biomes inside the massive multi-level building which Jireta had never used but still enjoyed spectating while she used the more basic equipment. Classes were a calming shared place where Jireta could feel like a part of this world instead of just an observer.

The yoga studio was almost full when she got in and she had to take a spot in the front, directly in front of the instructor who was essentially made of rubber bands. Jireta tried not to think about how unimpressive her body was going to look right next to this elastic doll.

The class was...okay. Not really satisfying in the way of a real workout nor was it truly relaxing. Oh well. It got her out of the house at least and she could spend some time on the treadmill now to make up for it, actually break a sweat before she left. As she rolled up her mat she noticed people clustering together from the corner of her eye and failed to come up with an icebreaker to introduce herself. Everyone else just looked too...cool. They were all so different and yet so beautiful it made Jireta’s heart hurt. Maybe she should dye her hair...

No. Changing her hair color or style wouldn’t be enough to compensate for her lack of personality. There wasn’t anything interesting about her life, nothing to talk about or share with other people so why bother. Her head hung low as she put the quiet headphones back in and slunk out of class to the locker room bathroom.

In the stall she tried not to cry and that voice...that voice in the back of her mind started to come back. What the fuck was wrong with her?! Crying in a bathroom stall because she didn’t have a quirk? There were so many people who had life so much harder and she had no excuse for not toughening up and just making friends. She wiped her nose. No more excuses! The next person she made eye contact with she was going to say hello and strike up a conversation!

Jireta’s hand, on it’s way to the latch, froze as the door to the locker room opened and a group of chattering women came in. Maybe she could just...wait a minute...until there weren’t so many people.

She was such a coward.

“Oh my god I cannot believe he’s number one now.”

“Right?!” Several voices echoed similar sentiments and Jireta rested her head against the stall door hoping they wouldn’t stand around gossiping for a long time. She wanted to get groceries and get home before Lolo was going to get home from school. The disembodied voices babbled over one another.

“Are you kidding me? Ground Zero was ten-times more awesome. You saw the footage of that final fight!”

“Nuh uh, you had to watch the real final fight...where they were like at some abandoned warehouse or something. That’s mostly why Shouto got it.”

“Well, yeah and he’s got two agencies now. He’s completely reshaped Dagoben and now he’s going to turn Musutafu around, too.”

“What?”

“No!”

“You didn’t see that report? Yeah, construction’s finished and everything but the opening was postponed because of everything that happened with his girlfriend.”

“Ugh, that lucky bitch.”

“Seriouslyy...I would kill to be her right now...”

Jireta wished she could just teleport out of there. Confidence flooded the locker room and Jireta imagined they were all super fit, dressed in stylish gym clothes, and looked like they just stepped out of a magazine while she was hiding in this bathroom stall like a fucking mouse. She pressed her eyes shut and tried not to compare herself to the imaginary goddess out there.

“Have you seen the pictures of her? She looked like shit after that fight.”

A few of them laughed. “We’ll see how well her regeneration can fix that.”

“She wasn’t even that good looking to start.”

“Right?! Such a waste for him to be with her.”

Any of us look like freaking supermodels next to her.” The women cackled and their arrogance became suffocating. Jireta felt her self-confidence caving in.

“Oh my god, I know. Can you imagine how good he must be in the sack?”

“Ugh, I can’t even imagine.”

“Hell no. Deku has to have him beat. With all that muscle, think of what he can do!”

“His body is so damn hot.”

Jireta blushed, trying to tune them out.

“Yeah but he’s too nice. He’s got that baby face.”

“Ooo, yeah. Ground Zero? Now there’s a firecracker who has got to give it real good.”

“I would take everything he could...”

Their voices finally died down with the slamming of lockers as they left and Jireta hesitated a moment before poking her head out of the stall. The coast was clear as far as she could see. She heaved a sigh of relief and quickly washed her hands. An overly floral scent thickened the air, probably a lingering effect from one of their quirks and it made Jireta nauseous. She abandoned the idea of running in favor of escaping the gym before she could feel any worse about herself.

 

Lolo was late getting home from school. Jireta kept a nervous eye on the clock while she prepared dinner and almost texted her but the young girl burst in out of breath and eyes alight.

“Mom, Ohmigosh,” she said as she set a bundle of papers down on the counter.

Jireta resisted the urge to say hello to you, too, daughter and just said “what?”

“Mira had the best idea ever today at school.”

“And what was that?” Jireta asked trying to sound more interested than irritated.

Lolo dropped her backpack with a dramatic thud and presented what Jireta could now see was a bundle of brightly-colored and patterned origami pattern. “We’re going to make cranes!"

“Cranes?” Jireta’s brow furrowed. “For who?”

“Ugh,” Lolo’s face dropped as if it should have been obvious. “For Shouto’s girlfriend!”

“Oh,” commented Jireta as she started cooking ingredients. “That’s kind of you.”

Lolo stared flatly at her mother’s preoccupied reaction and rolled her eyes. With huff, she turned and took the stack of papers off the counter. Jireta caught her daughter’s expression from the corner of her eye and scrambled to make up for her lackluster response.

“That should—wait, Lolo!” Her daughter had already stormed out and Jireta’s shoulders slumped. Great. Another moment of motherly triumph.

She finished cooking not too long after and her husband came home just in time for dinner. He was worn out, distant and distracted from whatever happened at his job. Jireta had long stopped asking about his work because there were things he couldn’t talk about. Things he didn’t want to talk about. And other things Jireta could not bring herself to listen to and care about. So their dinner table was quiet. Jireta imagined the lively conversations other families must have and the glowing mom at the heart of it all. After a while her husband looked up and paused mid-chew.

“Are there onions in this?” He asked his wife and she paused meeting his eye.

“Yes...”

He tried not to grimace in an attempt to be kind but she could see the hardness in his eyes as he started chewing again.

“I tried asking if it was garlic or onions you liked in this. I couldn’t remember,” she said with a shrug.

“It’s fine,” he answered indifferently and pulled out his phone.

Lolo finished eating and announced “I’m going to work on more cranes!” As she ran up from the table.

Jireta leaned over the back of her chair and shouted “please finish your homework first!” Lolo’s door closed without a comment and Jireta turned back to her husband, hoping they would talk together. Reconnect if only for this moment. But whatever question she had on the tip of her tongue dissolved when his phone rang.

“Sorry, Jiri, I’ve got to take this.” He quickly answered and stepped out of the room. Jireta leaned back in her chair...quiet of the empty dinner table enveloped her making the turbulence in her mind roar.

Chapter 72: Head Case

Notes:

Quick admission--I haven't started watching season 4 yet and I only made it a little bit past the equivalent point in the manga so there's a bunch of stuff I don't know anything about and am not up-to-speed on. Sorry for any incongruousness if you're ahead of me! I hope this story is still enjoyable

Chapter Text

The following week-or-so passed uneventfully for Jireta. She tried amping up her reaction and being impressed when Lolo excitedly shared how many cranes she and her classmates had sent to the hospital for Todoroki’s girlfriend. She chose recipes for dinner that she knew her husband would like without any questionable ingredients, even if they were uncreative meals. And she managed to get out to the gym a few more times between household chores and cleaning to go running. She was actually looking forward to her yoga class for once but when she suddenly realized she had missed it she nearly fell apart. Her first reaction was to tear herself apart for being so brainless as forgetting about a class she always attended. Then she changed her attitude.

No, she cheered herself on. Maybe this is a good thing!

She scanned the class schedule on the gym’s website and found something entirely new the next day. Something livelier than just yoga: a boxing class. She signed up, hoping they would accommodate a beginner.

When morning rolled around, she was jittery. Seriously? She was jittery over going to a new fucking gym class? She felt pathetic but tried to keep those negative feelings at bay. The class was a little later than her yoga class was so she sat down to drink her cup of coffee and actually watch the day-time talk show she rarely gave herself time to enjoy.

That jangling theme song played again and she heard that familiar woman’s voice over the cheering crowd. “Good morning everyone and weelcoomee!

Jireta tried not to feel envious of the entertainment professional who probably had her own team of personal stylists and closet full of those sharp outfits. “Welcome welcomee!

She walked herself out over the set to the two chairs and address the crowd with a few glamorous waves and winks.

Well, thank you so much for being here!” She paused for another round of cheers for the crowd. "I am so excited to have you guys here today because we have a few big guests on the slate...first we’re going to spend some time with our favorite designer who’s going to show us what’s coming up on the racks next month. Then we’ll have a visit from our city’s fitness mogul.” The crowd didn’t stop cheering. “And then later on we’re going to learn how a smoothie can change your whole outlook on life.

She grinned and the whiteness of her teeth was like snow. Jireta sucked on her teeth, sure the coffee she was drinking was doing her own smile no good.

So first let’s get them out here, our favorite fashion team—

Jireta zoned out, not really listening as they taught the audience about different skirt shapes and what kind of body was flattered by each. After a loving departure, the host moved on to the next guest who looked familiar to Jireta as she stepped out onto the stage.

Thank you so much for being here Rua!” The host waved over a woman with long orange hair beautifully styled. She was fit but not dressed at all like someone who was about to give a fitness demonstration; instead, she joined the host on the big chairs for...an interview...

Isn’t this great? Doesn’t she look great?!” The host exclaimed and the woman gave a grateful nod and smile to the audience.

Aw, thank you. It’s great to be here.” She smiled, pursing her lips slightly at the host.

Well, we are so happy and honored to have you here.” The host gestured for the two of them to sit. “I can’t wait to hear how everything’s been going at the gym!

Everything has been so great. So, so great. You know I have the best staff in the world and the greatest members anyone could ever ask for.

It clicked: this was the woman who owned the famous gym where Jireta worked out.

Aww, that’s so sweet. I think we probably have some of those members here!” The host motioned to the audience who jumped up in their spiffy work-out clothes cheering.

Oh hi!” Rua grinned at each of them. “Exactly. People like this, the hard-working happy people who come to my gym to take care of themselves so they can go back out and take care of the world.

The host encouraged another round of applause for the woman who settled into her chair and received the attention with grace.

And I’m happy to announce we have an all new therapy and recovery division at our branch here in Musutafu.”

"Oo, what’s that going to offer?”

“Well, it has therapy services so if you’ve been hurt or injured—even outside our gym—you can come to have rehab. And, as you know, we offer the widest range of facilities so we can treat just about any kind of person with any kind of quirk.

That’s incredible,” noted the host. “And it’s such an interesting idea, too. Though some have said it’s a lot like what Todoroki Shouto did at his agency.

Oh Katy,” Rua gave a confident roll of her eyes “of course people are going to compare it to some pro-hero.

But...he’s not just some pro-hero anymore...he’s the number one now,” countered the host playfully.

Rua pursed her lips and measured the host’s expression. “You know...one of the things that is absolutely special about my gym is the significance we but on each of our individual strengths.

So you’re saying everyone can be a hero?

No,” Rua calmly shook her head. “Because that word...hero...has become distorted. We’ve made ourselves dependent on these people who claim no one else can do what they can do. But that’s only because so many people are never given the chance to live up to their full potential.

“Quirks and quirk-use are closely regulated by the government so much so that only the elite few who make it into a hero-school are taught how to use really use their quirks. Don’t you think that’s a little repressive?

Repressive, in what way?” The host asked, her brow furrowed.

If everyone was taught how to properly handle their quirks and learned their own strengths, we wouldn’t need heroes. We wouldn’t need to depend on these people who play the part of martyr and instead we would be celebrating what we can all do. Instead of just letting ourselves be hypnotized by these ‘chosen ones’ that we don’t even get to choose.

“I mean...Todoroki Shouto as number one? Come on...He wouldn’t have even been able to get there if it wasn’t for his girlfriend. She’s the whole reason he lived—that any of those pro-heroes lived—and how can we depend on these people who won’t even admit their own shortcomings!

But all pro-heroes have help from their sidekicks or their support equipment and teams,” offered the host who was clearly getting uncomfortable with the direction of the conversation. It had become much more political and tense than she intended.

I just think we have to take a step-back and think about how much we trust these people who claim they can do anything and save anyone when they aren’t being honest about how they do it.

So you’re saying to get rid of the heroes?” The host asked, shocked.

Rua’s expression remained even, unrevealing. “I just think we haven’t explored any other options in a long time. That’s why I’m trying to give people a place to figure themselves out. And that’s why others are so threatened by me. Because I want to give everyone a chance to find out how strong they really are and if we really need to keep relying on these people who destroy our cities in the name of keeping us safe.

The host cleared her throat and turned to the camera with rosy cheeks. “Well, strong words from a strong body and mind. We’re going to take a quick break and be right back—

 

Jireta muted the tv, the woman’s heavy words sinking in...chilling her to the bone. They stayed with her through the rest of her day and were still ringing in her head even during her boxing class. She was too distracted to feel self-conscious. She was wondering what the world would be like without the heroes especially for someone like her.

Quirkless.

She’d be eaten alive.

She bumped into someone in the locker room and snapped out of her daze.

“Watch it!” The short, wooden-looking woman said as she pushed Jireta out of her way.

A couple women at the other end of the lockers looked over, pausing in their conversation as Jireta mumbled an apology and stepped aside. No one spared her another glance. Jireta hid her burning face as the women went back to their conversation.

“Yeah, I mean Rua really went off on her today.”

“Seriously.” One of them chortled.

The first one snickered. “Katy Riles’s day-time talk show is hardly the time or place to bring that political stuff up. What the hell is your sister thinking, Ryoshi?”

Jireta couldn’t help but glance out of the corner of her eye at the woman they were talking to who was in the middle of getting dressed, still in her bra. Her hair was not as bright, more of a rusty, copper color tightly braided down the back of her head. The tail of it fell over her shoulder as she leaned down to slip into the knee-high boot and began to zip it up over her jeans. What held Jireta’s attention the most was the beautiful texture of her skin. The same pale-white color as Jireta’s own flesh but it was layered like scale mail...as if hundreds of pieces had been laid down individually.

The woman looked up at her friends with a sardonic expression. “As if I would know. No one ever knows what the hell she’s thinking.”

Jireta blinked rapidly, tearing her gaze away before she got creepy. God, they were fucking gorgeous. Not to mention the fact that one of them was related to the owner of this gym. Who knew what kind of work she herself did. Probably something incredible and impressive. They finished dressing and left before Jireta had packed her bag.

She was dragging her feet, trapped in the sluggishness of her self-deprecating thoughts.

Coming to the gym was starting to become a real problem for Jireta, being surrounded by all these confident women. She groaned aloud and rested her head against the lockers. She pulled back and banged it.

“...everything okay?” Someone asked from behind her.

Jireta whipped around to find the fully-dressed, copper-haired woman who had come back for a jacket she forgot.

“Oh, y-yeah.” She tried to smile but it felt more like a grimace; she stopped immediately.

“Uh-huh...” The woman, Ryoshi, eyed her skeptically. “You know, staring at people while they’re changing is tactless.”

Jireta’s eyes widened and she cringed. “I am so, so sorry.” She held up her hands. “Please don’t tell your sister about this.”

Ryoshi’s eyebrow raised. “My sister?”

“Yes.” Jireta nodded fervently. “Please, I don’t want to be kicked out of the gym.”

Ryoshi crossed her arms and leaned back against the lockers. “Do you often stare at people in the locker room?”

“What? No!” Jireta shook her head furiously and took a nervous step forward. “I just—I've never seen someone with skin like yours and it’s just—it's really beautiful.” Jireta felt heat rush to her face with the uncharacteristically honest words.

“Thank you..." Ryoshi smirked. "Though most people would say my sister’s the more beautiful one.”

“Your sister...” Jireta thought back to the interview. “But, she looked completely normal. Does she even have a quirk?”

“Wow,” Ryoshi scoffed. “That’s bold.”

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry,” Jireta said as she ran her fingers through her hair. “That was so rude.”

Ryoshi looked Jireta up and down, voice dripping with derision. “You look totally normal...what’s your quirk?”

“I...” Jireta’s eyes fell to the ground. “Don’t have one.”

“Really?” Ryoshi’s eyes narrowed as if she could see right through Jireta. Someone leaned into the locker room and called her name. “Yeah, yeah. I’m coming.”

Jireta wanted to disappear as Ryoshi gave her a withering look and walked away. “See you around head-case.”

Only when silence fell did Jireta release the breath she was holding. Holy shit that was close. What the fuck was wrong with her, gawking at a stranger in the locker room?! She gathered her stuff and kept her head low as she fled the gym hoping she wouldn’t cross paths with the intimidating woman again. Her heart was pounding so hard by the time she got home that she had a headache. She sank to the floor sweaty and mortified, doubting she could go back to that gym ever again.

Chapter 73: All Talk

Chapter Text

Ani’s phone bleeped as she and Shouto were leaving for work, her second day back; it was odd having this instant connection to the world back in her hand. With a quick glance she saw it was an email and she opened it expecting spam only to be surprised when she saw from whom who it was.

Apparently, it was a totally normal, regular occurrence for Recovery Girl to inquire about Ani’s life. There was a long chain of correspondence and this time Recovery Girl was inviting Ani to lunch.

She closed her phone and leaned her head back watching the roads pass.

“Recovery Girl just asked me to lunch in a few days,” Ani quietly said.

Shouto kept his expression even. “Did she say why?”

“She heard about everything that happened—even what wasn’t on the news—and heard I was released from the hospital. She said she wants to catch up. See how I’m doing.” Ani tapped her phone nervously. “But I don’t remember what kind of rapport we used to have.”

Shouto tried to stay at ease as he drove. “Before you were...kidnapped...Recovery Girl had started reaching out to you more and more. The two of you began to speak regularly with each other.”

“As friends?” Ani asked him with a mixture of worry and curiosity.

“And colleagues.” Shouto kept his eyes on the road. “She wanted you to be her replacement.”

“At UA?!” Ani’s mouth dropped.

“Yes,” answered Shouto as he pulled into the agency. “I assume she’s trying to see how you’re how you’re feeling about it now.”

“But..." Ani thought aloud while Shouto parked. “Why are you telling me all of this?”

“What do you mean?” His brow dipped and he turned to face her, cutting the car’s engine.

Ani measured his reaction. “If I was going to replace her...that would mean I would leave the Todoroki Agency...And I’d be in Musutafu...”

Shouto smiled and pulled out his phone. She watched over his shoulder as he pulled up an image of a new building.

“Is that...” her words trailed off as she read the sign: Todoroki Agency, Musutafu Branch.

“It was clear Recovery Girl was grooming you to be her successor, whether you realized it or not. Even Principal Nezu indicated his support for her choice.”

“So...You built another agency?!” She looked at him in an awed daze like discovering his apartment was inside his own building again. Unimaginable wealth.

“I’d go anywhere with you.”

Her eyes narrowed playfully. “What were you going to do if I didn’t get the job? If they didn’t want me after all?”

“The back-up plan was to use it as a secondary location to help boost my rank to number one, not knowing I’d already have it. Manage two agencies, assist two cities which no one has done yet.” He shrugged easily. “Win, win either way.”

She shook her head with a sigh. “How did I react the first time you told me?”

“I hadn’t told you yet.” He met her eyes, sadness tinting his expression. “I was going to take you there after the UA Gala...I was confident Recovery Girl and Nezu would make a clear offer at the end of that night when spirits are usually highest. And I wanted to surprise you...make sure you knew you could seriously consider it.”

Ani huffed. “So many things went to hell that night.”

“To hell and back,” he said lovingly.

She smiled and leaned into him. “And back.” He kissed the top of her head and they climbed out. By the time they were inside the building she had responded to Recovery Girl and accepted the invitation.

“Now that the Absolved and the League of Villains are in custody...do you think crime is going to die down?” Ani asked as they rode the elevator; she was worried about the flow of work for the number one hero.

“Maybe for a while. But those who seek to cause trouble for others never really disappear. We have to stay strong while they scheme in the shadows.”

Sunlight filled the hallway of the third floor of the agency. “Is that how you felt when you were in school?”

“How do you mean?”

Ani searched for the words. “That you always had to be on-guard?”

“Yes.” He nodded. “There were so many times...with everything that happened...that I was reminded there is never truly a day off for a professional hero. We’re always on duty, whether we’re conscious of it or not.”

“That sounds exhausting,” noted Ani.

Shouto smiled. “That’s what you said before, too.”

Pink dusted her cheeks. “Sorry...”

“Why?” He asked, taking her hand as they walked through the patient areas and the motion-sensor lights clicked on.

She shrugged. “I don’t want you to get irritated hearing the same things again.”

“I don’t mind.” He glanced at her with bright eyes. “Especially if it means you’re going to force me to go on vacation again.”

Ani laughed heartily. “I was just wondering when we last took a break.”

He chuckled with her. “The last time was about six-months ago. You dragged me to a ski lodge.”

“When did I learn how to ski?” She asked comically, turning on her computer.

“You didn’t,” he said with a grin and leaned against her door frame. “And neither did I.”

“So why I did I choose to go there of all places?!”

He smirked at a private memory and lifted his eyebrows without looking at her. “Well...there are certain things people do...when they get snowed in...”

“Oh?” She looked up and caught the mischievous glint in his eye. “Oh. Well.” Heat rushed to her face and she cleared her throat. “Yeah. That would make for a fun trip.” She bit her lip and wondered if he would have written about that memory.

Her phone beeped again. “Recovery girl responded,” Ani said and quickly read through the message. “She asked me to meet her on campus.”

“Want a ride?” offered Shouto.

Ani smiled up at him with shinning eyes. “I would love one, thanks.” She came over and went in to peck his cheek but he turned and caught her lips and stole the kiss. She darted her tongue teasingly against his and pulled away before he could reciprocate, smirking as she quickly sat down at her computer. She could feel his hot-blooded eyes boring into her and tried not to grin. He took a predatory step forward, pausing when a bright voice filled the clinic.

“ANI YOU’RE BACK!” Aves appeared behind Shouto in her doorway and he shifted back into his composed pro-hero stature. “Oh. My. Gosh. I can’t believe you’re already back and I’m so sorry we missed your first day. How could you not give her time off!” She chided her boss and the words kept coming without giving him a chance to respond. “But knowing you, you were anxious to come back and get back to work and I’m not complaining because it has been soo crazy around here and we’ve all missed you so much especially Shouto but I’m sure you knew tha—”

“Aves.” Flora’s quiet voice came around the corner and stilled the simmering pot of energy overflowing from her friend.

Her mouth hung open for a moment, words stopped on their way out before she reset. “Sorry. I’m just...really excited.” She took a deep breath.

M.I. appeared behind his two coworkers. “Shida! You’re back!”

The presence of these three was relaxing to Ani; more feelings that couldn’t be erased despite the loss of her memory. Before she could speak Shouto said “can I talk to the three of you alone for a moment?”

“Sho?” Ani asked, making all of them pause. “Are you going to tell them about me?” She saw the answer in his eyes and rose from her chair with an expression of appreciation. “I can do it. I want to tell them.”

He heard the feeling in her voice that told him she could remember how she felt about her old friends, just as she had about him. He nodded, stepping to the side for her.

“Shida...what’s wrong?” M.I. asked as she wrung her hands together.

She exhaled shakily. “When I was...” she fought against the lump in her throat. “Kidnapped...” Another exhale. “...the League of Villains erased a bunch of my memories. Three years of my memory, to be direct.”

Aves’s eyes bulged and her mouth fell open, M.I. looked horrified, and Flora’s eyes deepened with understanding.

“So, I can feel how important the three of you are to me...but I’m sorry. I’m not going to remember most of our time together...” admitted Ani.

Aves popped up in front of her, gently taking her hands. “Ani...” She smiled, her big purple eyes batting softly. “It’s not your fault. And we aren’t going to care if you can’t remember.”

“We don’t see you any differently,” Flora quietly offered from the doorway. M.I.’s eyes were on the floor filled with sadness.

“I’m sorry, Shida...” he said with a tense voice. “If I had been quicker...”

“It happened before all of that,” Shouto cut in. “It was one of the first things they did after taking her.”

Ani nodded, wrapping her arms around herself. Aves rubbed her arms and brought her in for a hug with a tight squeeze. “We still love you.”

“Thank you,” Ani whispered through her tears and hugged the avian girl back.

Shouto’s heart was twisted with feeling. The agency felt complete with her here again and their conversation from the car ride sank through him like a rock.

 

 

Ani was nervous when M.I. asked if he could stay and talk to her in private but Shouto gave her a reassuring nod as he left, ushering out Aves with Flora’s help.

“It’s so good to have you back Shida! Say hi to your brother for me!” Aves shouted from the clinic doorway. Ani chuckled and turned to M.I. who was pulling up the empty chair.

“What’s going on M.I.?” she asked, trying to dispel some of the building tension.

He sat down and couldn’t meet her eye. “So those...those people...did they alter your memory after...”

“After you found me?” she quietly finished for him. He nodded and she answered “no.”

His eyes lifted hesitantly to meet hers. “So you remember...”

“Everything they did to you...I do.” Ani’s eyes swelled and she tried to keep her voice from breaking. “M.I....I’m so sorry.” Her face crumpled and she covered her eyes, shoulders shaking as she started to sob. “I’m so sorry. If I was stronger, If I was someone else—”

“Shida, please,” he said softly encouraging her look at him again as tears pooled in his own eyes. “It’s not your fault. I feel horrible that I couldn’t do more for you. I’m supposed to be a hero’s sidekick, after all.” He offered her a tissue and took one for himself. “And you’ve done more for me than you realize.”

She accepted and tried to dry the never-ending stream of teardrops. “I didn’t do anything.”

“You did, though now I understand why you might think that.” He blew his nose. “So um...” he cleared his throat. “If you remember everything they did to me...you’ll remember they uhm. They cut out my tongue.” He could see it clicking in her mind.

“But you can still—” she stopped, dumbfounded, when he nodded.

“Though it was your brother who brought the blood to the hospital, he said it was your idea to prepare samples of your blood as emergency treatments for us.”

Ani’s eyes widened. She could only recall this as a distant idea, not something she’d seen to fruition.

“Your blood helped me regrow my tongue, Shida.” He smiled and it touched his eyes with eternal gratitude. “Thank you.”

She blushed, feeling almost uncomfortable under the weight of his sentiment. “You’re welcome, M.I.”

“Shida...I also have to admit something to you...”

Worry creased her face. She whispered “what?”

“When I was in the hospital...Shouto came with the police...and they had this guy with a special quirk...who could look into my mind and show what I was thinking, what I could remember.” His eyes tightened. “They saw what happened to you.”

Ani’s mouth slowly parted in alarm and she covered it as she asked “Shouto?”

M.I. nodded. “It was to help them find you.” He searched her hollow eyes. “Are you angry?”

“No,” her voice trembled. “I just...I never wanted Shouto to have to know what I went through.” Sadness overflowed her eyes again.

“I understand...I’m sorry.”

She sniffled wiping her cheeks. “It’s...it’s okay. I’m not upset with you...I just...I can’t imagine what that must have been like for Shouto to see all of that.” There was a long moment of silence as Ani’s attention drifted off with complicated feelings.

“I don’t think he would have told you he knew because he’s...well. He’s Shouto.” M.I. said with a weak smile. “But I thought you would want to know.”

“I do...thank you for telling me.”

M.I. rose from his chair, sliding it back against the wall. Before leaving he paused. “Shida...if...if you ever need to talk about what happened, know that I’m always here.”

“Thank you,” she said. Though she met his eyes gratefully she couldn’t bring herself to smile. She needed a moment alone and M.I. could sense it; he left her with a bow of his head.

Ani leaned back in her chair, covering her mouth again, and tried to hide the sobs that rocked through her. Since the clinic was empty, she gave herself time to grieve. She wasn’t sure what exactly she was mourning...the loss of her memories perhaps? Maybe the loss of lightheartedness she once shared with Shouto. Everything was so heavy now.

 

She wiped her eyes, collecting herself to get to work and noticed her phone displaying a new text. It was Aino.

Instead of texting back, she called to hear her brother’s voice.

“Well hello there sister, to what do I owe the honor on this fine morning?”

She grinned with the warmth that flowed from her sibling. “I saw your text and figured I would just call back. Is this a good time?”

“I have a few minutes to chat. Sure. What’s up?”

“Well, I saw you ask about lunch on Saturday...”

“Yeah, think you and Shouto can make it?”

“I have to check with him but it would be really great to see you...maybe even before then. Do you think I can stop by to say hi sometime this week?”

He took a sharp breath. “I don’t know Ani, this week is pretty crazy for me.”

“I can come to the hospital, if you just let me know when?” She could hear him tapping the pen on his desk as he thought.

“Okay, if you don’t mind coming here that’d be great. I don’t know when I’m going to make it home next.”

“Wow. You’re that busy?”

He chuckled. “I’ve been a bit preoccupied the last few weeks...”

“Oh. Right.” Ani grimaced. “Sorry.”

“Nope. Nothing for you to be sorry about. I’d give up being a surgeon if it meant you came home safely.”

Ani laughed. “How would that have possibly helped?”

He echoed her laugh. “I don’t know...I’m just trying to make a point. Is it tacky if I have you call my assistant to find out when I have a time for you to visit?”

“I don’t mind.” Ani sighed. “You’re just too talented for your own good these days.”

“Yeah, you’re one to talk.”

Ani thought about what M.I. said, about her preparing samples of blood and Aino being a part of it. They had a lot to catch up on.

“I’ll see you sometime soon, Aino.” He was about to respond when she cut him off. “Oh—One more thing. Why did Aves tell me to say hi to you for her?”

“Uh...” He cleared his throat. “I um. Well, I met her at the hospital when your other co-worker was injured.”

“Uh-huh.” Ani knew that tone and her eyes narrowed though he wasn’t there to scrutinize. Yeah, they clearly had a lot to catch up on. “I’ll be seeing you very soon, big brother.”

He snorted. “Yeah, can’t wait. See you soon little sis.”

She hung up giving her phone a speculative glare and called his office, making an appointment for herself. Then it was back to sifting through the database of patient files. She knew it was going to be impossible to memorize everything in them but she wanted to at least try. No one came in with any injuries which gave her peace and quiet to read and her eyes were tight by the early afternoon. She took only a short break for lunch, eating something from a stash of food she found in one of her drawers. Her phone displayed a notification from a new number.

 

Hey Ani, it’s Hansha. Got your number from Katsuki

 

Ani smiled, happy to hear from her counterpart...and to hear Bakugo’s name. It meant their relationship was serious and Ani understood how much it meant for the two of them to have each other.

 

Hey 😊 It’s so nice to hear from you! How are you doing?

 

I’m fine thanks 😀 How are you holding up?

 

Good. What’s up?

 

Have you seen this?

 

Hansha included a link, that Ani opened, to a clip from an interview earlier that day. She didn’t understand why Hansha would send this to her until—

 

“And it’s such an interesting idea, too. Though some have said it’s a lot like what Todoroki Shouto did at his agency.”

 

Ani’s attention zeroed in on the elegant, orange-haired woman being interviewed.

 

Oh Katy,” she said with a roll of her eyes. “Of course people are going to compare it to some pro-hero.”

“But...he’s not just some pro-hero anymore...he’s the number one now,” countered the host playfully.

“You know...one of the things that is absolutely special about my gym is the significance we but on each of our individual strengths.”

“So you’re saying everyone can be a hero?”

No,” The woman shook her head, making the sunset-locks dance around her face. “Because that word...hero...has become distorted.”

 

Ani’s eyes widened.

 

“We’ve made ourselves dependent on these people who claim no one else can do what they can do. But that’s only because so many people are never given the chance to live up to their full potential. Quirks and quirk-use are closely regulated by the government so much so that only the elite few who make it into a hero-school are taught how to use really use their quirks. Don’t you think that’s a little repressive?”

 

Shock started to crystalize across Ani’s chest.

 

Repressive, in what way?” The host asked, her brow furrowed.

“If everyone was taught how to properly handle their quirks and learned their own strengths, we wouldn’t need heroes. We wouldn’t need to depend on these people who play the part of martyr and instead we would be celebrating what we can all do. Instead of just letting ourselves be hypnotized by these ‘chosen ones’ that we don’t even get to choose. I mean...Todoroki Shouto as number one? Come on.”

 

Ani gasped aloud and her mouth hung open more with every word the woman spoke.

 

He wouldn’t have even been able to get there if it wasn’t for his girlfriend. She’s the whole reason he lived—that any of those pro-heroes lived—and how can we depend on these people who won’t even admit their own shortcomings!”

“But all pro-heroes have help from their sidekicks or their support equipment and teams,” countered the host who was getting uncomfortable.

I just think we have to take a step-back and think about how much we trust these people who claim they can do anything and save anyone when they aren’t being honest about how they do it.”

“So you’re saying to get rid of the heroes?” The host asked, shocked.

 

Ani was up and out of her chair, crossing the clinic with intesifying horror as she continued watching.

 

The confident woman simply responded “I just think we haven’t explored any other options in a long time. That’s why I’m trying to give people a place to figure themselves out. And that’s why others are so threatened by me. Because I want to give everyone a chance to find out how strong they really are and if we really need to keep relying on these people who destroy our cities in the name of keeping us safe.”

 

The elevator doors opened and Ani rushed out. Dojire wasn’t at his desk but Shouto’s door was open and she could hear the same clip she just watched in Shouto’s office. She went in without hesitation.

Shouto looked up, eyes calculating, as she walked in.

“You saw it, too?” She asked with breathless nervousness.

Shouto nodded. “Bakugo just sent it to me.”

“What are you going to do?” Ani asked glancing between him and Dojire who was standing behind him.

“Nothing.” Shouto closed his computer and gestured for Dojire to leave. He quietly stepped away.

Feeling defensive for her pro-hero boyfriend she demanded “what? Why not?!”

Shouto shrugged, looking up at her calmly. “Because it’s true.”

“What’s true?” Ani came around his desk and he stood up to pull her against him with one hand on her waist, one on her face.

“That you’re the only reason I lived. That most of us pro-heroes lived.”

Ani shook her head. “That’s not...possible...” Her conversation with M.I. resurfaced in her mind. “The treatments...”

Shouto nodded. “Many people owe their lives to you because of those treatments.”

“So they were real.” Her eyes unfocused, trying to remember what she knew she couldn’t. “I only remember them as a vague idea.”

“You made them. You and Aino.” Shouto brushed hair back from her face and searched her eyes that came back to him. “He brought them to me before that final fight and I distributed them.”

“They saved your life?” She said with a smile and a tear slipped out. She felt like she was going to wither away from all the crying but she was overcome with joy that she had really made them and they served their purpose.

“Well...I used mine for others...”

“But you said that I was the only reason you lived,” she prompted him.

He wiped her cheek away. “You are. But it wasn’t from your blood. It was from your bone marrow. Aino performed a transfusion with the bone marrow you left behind...and it’s the reason I was able to stop Shigaraki.”

Ani’s head was starting to swim with all of this. She’d prepared a bone marrow sample for Shouto that Aino had given him. And it saved Shouto's life. From Shigaraki, the man who could rot anything away. The memory of his decaying touch made Ani shiver.

“Ani...are you alright?” Shouto gently asked.

She nodded and leaned into him, needing the safety of his embrace to steady herself. “It’s just...a lot to take in.” He wrapped his arms around her.

“I can’t imagine,” whispered Shouto and he rested his cheek on the top of her head. The familiar, comforting smell of her filled his nose and he was prepared to stay there for as long as she needed.

She tilted her head to look up at him. “You’re really not going to do anything about this?”

Shouto shrugged. “I’ll talk with the staff and get their opinion but I’m not bothered by it.”

“Of course not,” Ani sighed playfully. “I forgot how self-assured you are.”

He wrapped his arms tighter around her. He only felt so impervious to this scandalous gossip because she was back by his side.

“Do you know who that woman is?” Ani asked, her breath creating a hot patch on his chest.

“She’s an owner of a gym in Musutafu called Illicium that’s become increasingly popular over the last few years.”

Ani grunted. “I don’t like her or her attitude.”

“Why’s that?” The smirk in his voice was audible.

“Gut instinct.”

Shouto gave a deep chuckle. “She’s harmless. She’s tried this in the past and she’s all talk.”

Ani buried her face against him hoping he was right.

Chapter 74: Unfamiliar Feelings

Chapter Text

The next morning Shouto dropped Ani off at the hospital for her early-morning appointment with her brother and insisted she call him when she was done.

“I have to become independent again at some point,” she said half-heartedly.

The two colors of his eyes churned at her remembering how the panic attacks after her apartment-incident affected her randomly. And intensely. “Indulge me?” He kissed her forehead and whispered against her skin “You just got back.”

She nodded and hugged him. Though she wouldn’t admit it, she was grateful for his insistence. “I love you. I’ll see you in a while.”

“Love you too,” he said with a departing smile. “See you soon.”

She headed into the familiar hospital saying hi to the suspiciously large number of people who recognized her. Many more than she had known when she worked here. She navigated using the less-frequented staircases and snuck into the surgery department office almost out of breath.

Aino’s secretary wasn’t even in yet. She grumbled under her breath for having to get up so early but Aino’s door was open and she could hear him typing away from his desk. She peeked in.

“Good morning,” she said quietly and he looked up, surprised.

He nearly leapt out of his seat. “Ani! Hi!” He came around his desk and crossed the room, gripping his younger sibling in a tight hug. “It’s good to see you.”

She yawned. “It’s good to see you, too.” She sank into one of his patient chairs as he went back to his big leather one behind the desk.

“How’s everything going at the clinic?” He asked.

“It’s good.” She gave a sleepy nod. "Sorry to force myself into your schedule like this when you’re so busy."

“Ani, please.” He held up a hand. “You’re not forcing yourself anywhere. I will always have time for you.” His warm smile put her at ease. “So...what’s up?”

She took a deep breath. “I wanted to see you so I could tell you something that's kind of hard to say." She forced the lump out of her throat. "When I was kidnapped...those people erased a large part of my memory.”

Aino’s brow furrowed darkly. “What part?”

“Most of my relationship with Shouto. They were trying to make me think he didn’t love me and wouldn’t come to rescue me but my regeneration kept them from erasing everything.” She shifted in her chair. “They compressed our entire relationship into a few weeks.”

Aino gave a defeated exhale and covered his mouth, still listening.

“So...all those treatments you helped me prepare...” Ani looked down at her hands feeling oddly guilty. “I don’t remember them as more than a vague idea I had.”

“Wow,” remarked Aino with a raised brow. “Ani, I’m...I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay,” she said with a shrug and quickly grabbed a tissue from his desk to catch the tears before they could fall. “I can’t miss what I don’t remember...I just wanted to tell you...So...y’know...if I act weird or clueless about something...It’s probably because I can’t remember it.”

Aino nodded slowly. “Like in the hospital when I told you the treatments worked and you had been right.”

“Yes,” Ani confirmed. “Just like that. I didn’t know those were real until Shouto told me yesterday.”

“Thank you for telling me,” Aino softly said.

She smiled but it didn’t touch her eyes. “Of course. I don’t know how many people I want to know that yet...”

“You’re worried about someone taking advantage of it maliciously?”

She nodded. “For right now, only a handful of people know.”

“Your secret’s safe with me,” her brother promised.

“Thanks.” She felt a little less burdened now that he knew how different she was since returning. “And there’s one more thing.”

“Oh?” Dismay creased Aino’s face.

“Those people, who kidnapped me,” she searched for the words. “They had someone who could make...clones...of people. And they made a clone of me.”

Aino’s eyes were widening with every word.

“...And she’s still alive,” said Ani.

“What?” Aino’s jaw dropped. “Where? How? Why?!”

Ani couldn’t help but smirk at her brother’s intense, clinical desire for knowledge. “Well...the clones this person makes...they die if they get hurt too much but my—I mean Hansha—she has my regeneration so she’s been able to get through a lot more than clones of other people.”

“H-hansha?” Aino asked with shock. “I have...I have another sister?”

“Kind of?” Ani grimaced. “I don’t know. This whole thing is weird and we’re figuring things out as we go.”

“Is she staying with you? Does she need a place to stay?” Aino’s protective older sibling instincts were kicking in.

Ani gave him a big grin. “You’re awesome...you know that?” She appreciated how he didn’t even hesitate to consider whether or not Hansha was family.

“Yeah, I am.” He grinned back and they shared a laugh.

“She’s fine,” answered Ani. “She’s staying with Bakugo Katsuki.”

“What?!” Aino’s eyes popped and Ani laughed again. “Why?!”

“Because...Bakugo had feelings for me at one point.”

“So now that there’s another of you...” Aino cringed.

Ani shrugged. “He’s happy. She seems happy and will be well-taken care of. Kind of seems like a win-all-around...even if it is weird.”

Aino rolled a pen through his fingers. “How do you want to treat her?”

“Like family,” Ani said with a heavy smile. “She has all of my exact memories up until the point she was created and started having her own. It’s kind of like I have a twin all of a sudden. And I’m okay with it.”

“Good.” Aino smiled. “Invite her to lunch this Saturday?”

“Yeah?”

“Bakugo, too.”

Ani gaped. “Seriously?”

“I mean...if we’re going to treat her like family...I want to meet the person taking care of my little sister’s clone...” Aino shook his head to dispel the weirdness. “If you think I have any right to be protective of her.”

“I think she’ll be flattered,” Ani said with a smile. She knew how much her brother meant to her and Hansha would have all the same memories about him. He would feel like her brother, too. “I’ll invite them both.”

“Great.” Aino grinned. “Remind your boyfriend it’s his turn to buy lunch this time.”

“It is?” Ani cocked an eyebrow at him.

“Right.” He snapped his fingers at her. “You don’t remember. We’ve been having a family-lunch of sorts once or twice a month since you started working for and living with Shouto. We alternate paying.”

“Got it.” Ani rose from her chair and Aino came around to give her a hug. “Thanks for making time for me, Aino.”

“Anytime.” He ruffled her hair and she gave him a playful scowl. “Are you headed to work now?”

“Yeah, Shouto’s going to come pick me up.”

“Good,” Aino said with an approving look. “He’s a good one, that guy.”

“I think so, too.” Ani backed out of his office closing the door behind her.

That good guy picked up immediately when she called; he was next door at a coffee shop and in a rushed whisper he said he had been swarmed by fans and he hadn’t even had a chance to get his coffee yet. Ani caught the tension in his voice. She tried to avoid as many people on her way out of the hospital, moving with a sense of urgency and concern for the love of her life.

The shop was overflowing with people, spilling out onto the sidewalk complicating the foot-traffic pattern. Somehow Ani squeezed her way inside. Shouto was pressed into a far corner where fans were pushing different things at him for his autograph and others were leaning in for a picture. To the crowd Ani was sure he looked normal. Well, normal for a pro-hero whose default expression was stoic. But Ani could see the tension she heard in the tightness of his eyes and his posture. The flexing of his hands and forearms he held in front of himself for pictures. He did not like this invasion of his personal space.

It was a battle between the eager fans and irritated customers for space in the small shop and Ani finally edged her way to the counter, ordering their coffees from the only barista who was not preoccupied. And she was overwhelmed to say the least. Ani stepped to the side after she ordered and watched her boyfriend dutifully tend to the seemingly endless stream of fans. He was so handsome. The strong angles of his face, the fearsome scar that only exaggerated the blue of his eye. She felt a swell of appreciation for everything he was. Everything he’d done for her and everyone else and continued to do. She knew he understood this was part of the job and he insisted he didn’t mind but it was clearly getting to him now. And the pressure wasn’t letting up.

She watched a group of animated women step up for their turn and felt her own patience start to wan. These women were handsy, crowding around him from every side as they took a group picture and elbowing others away as they each posed for an individual picture with him, too. Ani watched Shouto stand as respectfully and patiently as he could and it was clear this group of people was starting to take advantage of him. By the time their drinks were ready Ani felt a wave of defensiveness and protectiveness she hadn’t experienced before. She grabbed the searing hot cups and cut through the crowd, making a direct line to Shouto as the last woman of the group pressed herself up against him. She leaned her bosomy chest on his arm and put her hand on his own forearm with a sickening grin toward her friend pointing a phone.

Ani’s patience was gone.

She pointedly stepped in front of the phone and blocked the whole image.

“Hey!” The woman protested with an indignant pout. She came forward and put her hands on her hips but Ani simply stepped around her.

“Here.” She smiled up at Shouto, giving him his cup and he accepted it, eyes filling with relief and gratitude.

“Thanks,” said the handsome pro-hero. The corners of his mouth tipped up and Ani felt that surge of protectiveness swell. She whipped around, keeping her defensive stance in front of him, and addressed the crowd with a placid, unyielding expression.

“Thank you everyone for the support for our number one hero. We have to leave now but look forward to meeting more of you in the future.” Without waiting for a response from Shouto or anyone else Ani took his hand and pulled him through the parting crowd. Gasps and murmurs of disappointment rolled through the crowd but Ani was not deterred.

And Shouto...Shouto was relieved. He felt like he had been drowning in this overwhelming attention and Ani appeared like a life preserver. He gazed at the blonde ponytail of his rescuer as she towed him through the blurring mass of bodies and took a freeing deep breath of air once they were out of the shop.

They weren’t out of the crowd yet, though.

Reporters had started gathering outside and pounced when the couple emerged. Shouto wrapped his arm around Ani’s waist knowing how overzealous this type could be and he wanted nothing more than to get her safely away from all of this.

The flashes of lights, the barrage of questions, it started to overload Ani’s senses. Shouto could feel it. He held up his free arm holding the coffee cup like a shield as he led her through the churning storm of questions and tried to ignore them himself.

“Todoroki Shouto, how do you respond to people questioning your rank as number one?”

“Miss Shida, what do you have to say about the destruction caused during your rescue?”

“Mr. Todoroki, do you deny the claims that you’re only number one because of Miss Shida?”

“Miss Shida! Miss Shida! Is it true you saved everyone’s lives? Are you angry you’re not getting credit?!”

They held onto each other until the car was in front of them and Shouto held the door for her before quickly slipping around to his own and then they were encased in quiet. He pulled away quickly before the car could be surrounded. Ani was nearly panting, trembling from the intense questioning.

Shouto slipped his fingers through hers. “Thank you for rescuing me,” he quietly said.

“Any time.” Her exhausted eyes rose to his and she smiled though it didn’t touch her eyes. She mumbled “although those last bimbos were starting to get on my nerves.”

Shouto burst into laughter.

“What?” She asked, catching the contagious laughter and chuckling along.

Grinning smugly, he said “I don’t think I’ve ever heard you talk like that.”

“Like what?” Her eyebrows lifted earnestly.

“So possessively.”

“I couldn’t help it...I hope you’re not upset,” said Ani.

His grin thinned to a sultry smirk and he glanced at her. “I liked it.”

Heat surged into Ani’s face with a deep blush and she looked away sheepishly, trying to stifle a smile. “Good to know.”

His thumb stroked the back of her hand. “Ani...everything is okay but there’s something I want to make you aware of.”

“What is it?” She asked when he hesitated.

“There’s a group of activists from Musutafu that are filing a lawsuit against the agency.”

“What?! Why!” Ani’s reaction was just as worried as he expected it to be but he wasn’t bothered.

“It happens from time to time after a large-scale incident like what happened with the Absolved. It’s nothing the legal team can’t handle.”

Ani searched his face as he wove through traffic. “You’re not worried at all?”

He shook his head.

Something was nagging at Ani. “Do you think...it has anything to do with that woman’s broadcast yesterday?”

“No,” he answered confidently. “The group that filed the suit isn’t related to her and there’s no way this could have been organized simply in response to that interview.”

“Okay.” Ani watched the city pass as they approached the agency. She wanted to accept Shouto’s words but something about that interview wouldn’t stop bothering Ani.

 

Later that day she called Hansha to invite her and Bakugo to dinner with her brother. As Ani guessed, Hansha was honored to be included and told the shouting, protesting Bakugo in the background that they were going. Ani expressed her thanks for the link about the interview and confided her feelings to her twin.

"I don’t trust her vibe, either,” agreed Hansha.

Ani was glad she wasn’t the only one. “We’ll keep each other posted if we see or hear anything?”

Absolutely.

It felt good to have another pair of skeptical eyes watching. After all, Hansha had been through some shit, too, and Ani suspected it made her as wary of the world as she now was.

 

~

 

Jireta sat alone at her kitchen table; Lolo had gone to school and her husband to work. The awkward encounter yesterday in the locker room lingered in Jireta’s gut, churning and twisting her mind so she couldn’t think about anything else. Now that she had fucked up and couldn’t go back it was all she could think about doing. She traced the rim of her empty coffee cup wondering what she was going to do with the rest of her day. Her phone buzzed.

With a furrowed brow she opened the email and almost dropped her phone.

Her eyes widened as she read the invitation from Illicium asking her to attend an experimental class, happening this morning.

It was...weird...

Why would the gym want her opinion? She didn’t want to risk crossing paths with that elegant, scaled woman again either. She continued reading despite her concerns and her jaw dropped when she got to the last line.

Free membership.

For a year.

...Really? Just for attending one class? Jireta’s fingertips strummed the table. This was clearly more than an invitation to evaluate a test class but she couldn’t see what else it could be. If she hadn’t felt so distant from her overworking husband, she might have asked his opinion but he made it clear he didn’t like to be bothered at work. Curiosity prickled through her and she couldn’t resist.

She changed and was out the door without a second thought. She had been in such a distracted haze she didn’t even put her headphones in for the walk and sure enough when she checked into the gym one of the receptionists motioned to her.

There was a note on her account: a request to meet with the CEO.

Jittery with nerves she followed the receptionist’s directions through the gym up to the office. There was nothing except a short hallway and a pair of thick wooden doors waiting for her on the top floor.

She knocked lightly. There was no answer and she couldn’t hear anything from inside. She knocked again, harder this time, and heard someone call for her to come in. The office was small, not at all what she pictured for a CEO but there was room enough for a stately glass desk and a sitting area with leather chairs around a glass coffee table. Ryoshi lounged, legs crossed, in one of the chairs.

Jireta tried not to think about the exotic and beautiful woman as she turned to the even more stunning woman standing up from the desk.

“Miss Jireta!” The bright orange-haired woman stood up and crossed the room in fitted jeans and a sweatshirt, hardly the expected image of a CEO. Her skin was so soft and smooth it hurt to look at. “Thank you for coming to meet me today, I’ve heard so much about you!”

“Y-you have?” Jireta asked in disbelief. She gave a furtive glance at Ryoshi.

“Yes.” She motioned for Jireta to sit and they joined Ryoshi around the glass coffee table. “I’ve been excited to meet the person who intrigued my sister so deeply but first, my name is Rua and—” she gestured around “—as you have figured out, I’m the owner of Illicium.”

“Nice to meet you,” Jireta said with a timid bow of her head. Her voice felt meek and dusty in comparison to the silken sound of Rua’s. Every moment here made Jireta feel like she would crumble away. “What can I do for you?”

“Well,” Rua said with bright eyes that seemed to swirl with changing color. “After hearing about how much you love coming to this gym, I wanted to hear it myself! Get some feedback from a valued member!”

“Oh.” Jireta chewed on her lip and couldn’t figure out why she was cringing so hard. “I...um...”

“Don’t be shy,” Rua encouraged. “Anything you have to say—positive and negative—I want to hear it. I want to make this place the best it can be for all of my members.”

Jireta wrung her hands together. “I-I don’t know...” Her self-confidence was disintegrating and she was losing the internal battle she struggled with her whole life about how to act around other people. The words came out on their own. “To be honest, your sister caught me staring at her while I was changing—which I was only doing because her skin is so beautiful and I mean yours is, too, I’ve just never seen skin like hers before—and when she called me out on it I was so worried she was going to tell you and have me kicked out. And I didn’t want that to happen because I’m just a stay-at-home mom and I don’t really have any friends or get out very much. And if I wasn’t able to come here anymore I would probably never leave my house and even if I don’t really talk to anyone here it’s just nice to be around people.”

She covered her face wondering what the fuck just happened and why she couldn’t seem to filter her thoughts and words around these women.

“Oh,” Rua said with a kind, sympathetic voice. “Miss Jireta, please, I assure you that your membership here is safe.”

“I-it is?” Jireta asked as she peeked out through her hands. Rua nodded.

“Of course. I don’t blame you for looking at my sister’s gorgeous skin.” They each glanced at Ryoshi who sat as indifferently as a statue. “I’m so glad our gym has such a special place in your life...” Rua’s words trailed off as she considered something heavily. “You know...I think I’d like to offer you something other than what I planned today.” She folded her hands in her lap. “I’d like to treat you to a night out. My sister, Ryoshi, will to take you—”

“Wait, what?” the other woman cut in.

“—because I’m unavailable but I would love to treat you to give you a chance to relax. Get out and have some fun.”

“Why?” Jireta asked, baffled.

Rua smiled warmly. “Because. It’s rare for someone to be noticed by my sister and there’s an opportunity here for me to do something generous for another person.”

“But I’m not anyone special,” insisted Jireta. “I’m just a quirkless nobody who was being a total creep.”

Rua lifted an eyebrow at Jireta, then looked at her sister.

“Yeah...see...” Ryoshi said, leaning forward as she stared at Jireta. “I don’t think you’re quirkless.”

“Excuse me?” Jireta asked in shock.

A sly smile spread across Ryoshi’s face. “I could sense it yesterday in the locker room. And I can sense it again now: you are not quirkless.”

“Yes. I am.” Unfamiliar anger started to bubble in Jireta’s chest.

“No.” Ryoshi’s eyes narrowed. “I don’t think you are.”

A strange feeling burned through Jireta. Who was this stranger to weigh in on something she knew nothing about? Something Jireta has suffered with her whole life! The pain and feelings of inadequacy that Jireta carried all this time...how dare this stranger insist there was something more here. As if Jireta could have gone her entire life without knowing she had a quirk.

She stood defiantly and stared at the two women. “I don’t know what you’re playing at but I’m not interested.”

“Please, Jireta.” Rua rose, too. “We mean you no offense—” she threw a pointed glance at her sister “—we just want to get to know you and are sorry if we’ve upset you.”

Jireta held her tongue, not trusting her words to stay as strong as she felt.

“My offer for this evening still stands.” Rua offered Jireta a business card with another number written on it. “Please consider the offer and let my sister know if you’d like to escape. If only for tonight.”

“Why are you doing this?” Jireta asked in a tight voice.

Sadness pulled at the corners of Rua’s smile. “I lost someone very important to me recently and I can’t do anything about it. I want to try and care for someone else since I can’t help her.”

Jireta felt vulnerable and exposed here in front of these women and felt something stirring in the deep, dark depths of herself with every moment that passed in their presence. She didn't like it but she accepted the business card warily and left without another word.

Chapter 75: In The Dim Light

Chapter Text

Ani tried not to overthink anything as she read through more files. Like the Todoroki Agency being sued. Or the way strangers were all over her boyfriend. She was all twisted up inside thinking about his discomfort being groped like that and not saying anything. It was like he was a prisoner now to the position he'd earned. She didn’t want to see him taken advantage of like that and found it hard to accept that was just a part of being the top hero.

Heroes of Shouto’s agency were completing rounds without incident which was great. No one was getting hurt. Unfortunately, it also meant that Ani had a lot of quiet time on her hands in the clinic. Good for reading. Bad for someone who had been recently kept prisoner in isolation.

Little noises began to make her jump, things she was sure were comforting background noise not so long ago were now nerve-wracking whispers of the world around her. Ticks and taps and whirs a basement cell didn’t have. Were buildings always this noisy? Her eyes began to focus in and out blurring the words. She forgot whose file laid open in front of her. Just the sound of her computer’s hardware falling silent felt like the exhale of a kidnapper and made her look over her shoulder fearing someone had appeared.

She couldn’t stay here by herself any more.

Quickly closing her office down, she rode the elevator up to Shouto’s floor, shaking and wracked with guilt. She didn’t want to bother him but she felt like she was going to curl into a ball if she stayed by herself in the clinic.

Dojire looked up from his desk when the elevator doors opened. His initial smile fell away when he saw the wide, panic of her eyes.

“Miss Shida, are you alright?” He asked and quickly stepped away from his desk.

She didn’t bother trying to calm her expression for Dojire; she knew he would understand. She shook her head. “I didn’t want to be alone in the clinic.”

He nodded understandingly. “Of course. Mr. Todoroki is not in right now but you’re welcome to stay here. Either out here or in his office. I know he doesn’t mind your presence inside.”

“Thank you. I’ll be in his office,” Ani said with a small bow of her head. With a worried pause she asked “will you be here for the rest of the day?”

“Yes Ma’am,” he offered. “And I will stay until Mr. Todoroki returns from his rounds. I’ll be out here if you need me for anything.”

“Thank you,” she quietly said again and slipped inside Shouto’s cavernous office. It should have felt lonelier than the clinic but it didn’t. Every inch of this place exuded the safety and strength she was craving right now and the comfort began to melt away her panic. She closed the door and leaned against it savoring the warm sun that shone through his windows. It even smelled like him in here.

After a few long, deep breaths she was feeling calmer and slowly moved through the pro-hero's office. There was a subconscious muscle memory that led her to the secret place of his private bathroom and the closet holding back-up uniforms and spare clothes. She ran her fingers across the fabric and felt her body respond to the aura of her striking boyfriend. It was quiet in the closet. Not a quiet like her clinic, void of major sounds but filled with the unrest of quiet clicks and taps and beeps, but a true soft quiet.

She pulled one of his sweatshirts from a hanger and slipped it over her head taking a deep inhale of the warm mixture of laundry detergent and Shouto. She sank to the ground without thinking and nuzzled the oversized fabric, falling asleep.

Dojire gently woke her at some point offering her lunch but she politely refused. She even dismissed his suggestion of resting on one of the couches, content to stay where she was. She made him promise not to say anything to Shouto about it before he left; she didn’t want to distract him with something like this while she was perfectly safe. He had work to do.

 

 

~

 

Jireta been distracted since she left the gym. She drifted through the preparation of dinner and gave a distant greeting when her daughter came home from school. Lolo shut herself up in her room, not like that was anything new. Dinner was plated and the two of them were eating when her husband came home. He excused himself without sitting down and closed himself in their room.

Once dinner was cleaned up Jireta knocked lightly on their bedroom door and leaned in.

“Hey, you okay?” She asked, trying to reach out. Make a connection.

He grunted from the dark of their room. “Just need sleep.”

“What’s going on?” She left the door cracked as she stepped in. “Are there problems at work?”

“No,” he answered sharply. “Just a lot of work.”

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“No. Just want sleep.”

Jireta’s heart began to sink. “You don’t want anything to eat first?” It’s not like she had prepared anything particularly special but it would have been nice to have a chance to talk to him. To have some sort of sign that this was just a turbulent time for them and they were going to be okay.

But the only response was quiet, slowly filled with gentle snoring. Jireta closed the door behind herself.

She peeked in on Lolo who was in her room listening to music with her headphones on as she worked on homework. Jireta looked around her empty living room and wondered...was this really her life? A chilly loneliness punctuated by moments of servitude to uninterested family? She felt the poking corner of the business card in her pocket.

Less than an hour later, note left on her kitchen table, she was out with the fascinating woman named Ryoshi on the streets of Musutafu’s popular night-spots.

“Where are we going?” asked Jireta over the sounds of traffic and inebriated people.

Ryoshi rolled her eyes and gestured across the street with her head to an unmarked doorway guarded by a large man at the front of a very long line.

“There?” Jireta looked down the row of fancy, young people with glamorous clothes and painstakingly maintained appearances. Compared to these people she felt like a moth-eaten rag in her shorts and t-shirt.

“Come on,” Ryoshi urged with annoyance. “You look fine.” Jireta glanced up at the tall woman who strode out into the street stopping traffic without the bat of an eye and wondered if she could read minds.

Of course, Ryoshi knew the bouncer. She seemed like she would have connections all over this city on her own plus whoever her sister knew. They were inside and being led by a man in tight pants to a private high-top table in a back corner.

“Have a good evening ladies,” he said with a look up-and-down Jireta. She blushed in the low light; no one had looked at her like that...ever. Not even her husband. As she slid into her seat across from Ryoshi her body began to absorb the atmosphere of the club. Loud thumping music, shifting lights, and crowds of sweaty, intoxicated people. This was very different from her usual nights at home and she wasn’t sure she fit in.

“Stop worrying,” Ryoshi said leaning over the table so Jireta could hear. Jireta unintentionally glanced at how the table pushed up Ryoshi’s cleavage.

What the hell was she doing here? Jireta gulped and responded “easy for you to say.”

Rysohi smugly lifted an eyebrow at her. “You know why I brought you here?”

Jireta rolled her eyes. “Because your sister asked you to.”

“No,” Ryoshi said watching Jireta closely. “It’s because I meant what I said earlier. I don’t think you’re quirkless...and I’m going to prove it to you.”

Jireta scowled. Not this again. “You’re going to be disappointed.” She shocked herself by waving over a waitress and ordering a drink.

“Make it two,” commented Ryoshi and the waitress breezed away. The copper-haired woman’s eyes returned to Jireta and she traced her lips as she watched the moody hermit. “You don’t think very highly of yourself. Do you?”

“What business is that of yours?” Jireta said defensively.

Ryoshi rested her head in her hand and watched Jireta with amusement. “Because every time you think lowly of yourself...you’re comparing yourself to the people around you. Right?” She watched as Jireta’s eyes hardened with the truth. “Do you know how that makes the people around you feel?”

Jireta crossed her arms and felt her lips press into a hard line. She either needed that drink or to leave because this conversation was getting under her skin very quickly.

Ryoshi answered her own question again. “Wonderful.”

“Well, good for you.” Jireta snapped. Damn it! What was it about this woman that made Jireta feel so trapped and on edge?!

“Yeah.” Ryoshi smirked. “It was. That first day when you watched me change in the locker room...I was talking with my friends and started feeling really good about myself all of a sudden. Really good...despite the shitty things that have happened lately. But then...” She paused a moment and some bass line filled in the silence. “When we left, I felt the overcast feelings return as if I’d walked out of the sunshine. And you know what happened when I went back into that locker room?”

Jireta’s heart had twisted as she listened; no one had ever told her anything like this before.

Ryoshi leaned in. “The feeling returned, intensified with every step I took closer to you.”

“What are you saying?” Jireta asked without hostility.

“I think...you can control how others feel about themselves.” The corner of Ryoshi’s mouth lifted.

Jireta’s mouth slowly parted. “So...so you’re saying...”

“You can affect the self-confidence of the people around you.”

Their waitress appeared, sliding the two colorful drinks between them and asked if they needed anything but Jireta was in a trance. She was replaying her entire life over again, looking at every interaction she could remember from a different light.

Ryoshi lifted her drink to her lips and leaned back in her chair, content to watch Jireta become a puddle of confusion and transformation.

“How do I test it out?” Jireta asked as her eyes flicked up to Ryoshi’s face with a bright excitement.

Ryoshi shrugged and gestured around them. “Pick someone.”

“Huh?”

Ryoshi rolled her eyes. “Pick someone here. Someone who very clearly has confidence or does not. And see if you can affect their mind enough to alter their demeanor.”

Jireta’s eyes roamed the crowd with new interest. She noticed a particularly well-chested woman at the bar leaning into a man’s ear then throwing her head back laughing at something he said. From her body language as she responded to him, making herself one long curve, her self-assurance was palpable.

“Her,” Jireta said, not sure if Ryoshi wanted to watch, too. “Silver dress.” Without taking her eyes from the woman Jireta tried to redirect her normal train of thought. Instead of envying the woman’s supple cleavage and shiny hair, she thought poignant thoughts about how saggy and disgusting they would be in old age. How fried and scraggly her gray hair would be. The back problems her breasts would entail. How no one would look at her for being more than a pair of jugs.

As Jireta began thinking negative thoughts they started to come easier.

The image of high-fashion in her dress that was probably a knock-off. Her still-flabby arms despite probably trying to work out and stay fit.

The nastiness rolled out of Jireta’s mind and she could see the woman’s posture start to change. Where she had begun relaxed and open, she was now tightening and becoming rigid in her body-language. Her shoulders rose and she started to pull back from the man who seemed oblivious at first. The loss of animated reaction began to dull his interest and his eyes started wander away. Jireta kept the savage thoughts flowing and felt a dangerous satisfaction as the man left the awkward woman by herself. After only a moment more she cringed away from the bar and wove through the crowd anxiously leaving the club.

Jireta watched the woman disappear out onto the street and she turned back to Ryoshi with astonishment radiating out of her. Ryoshi grinned darkly in the dim light of the club.

“Perfect.”

 

~

Shouto brushed some dust off his hero uniform as the elevator opened to the third floor. He was anxious and excited to see Ani at the end of a long day balancing attention from the public and helping those in need but he stopped short.

The clinic was dark. Door locked.

He immediately pulled out his phone; she hadn’t left him any messages and he hadn’t missed any calls. He called her cellphone and it rang through to voicemail. He tried to temper the panic rising in his chest as he tried again, taking to the stairs as he called her again. He ran two at a time up the stairwell and on the last ring someone picked up.

“Ani? Ani!” He couldn’t hide the stress in his voice.

Mr. Todoroki,” Dojire’s voice came through the speaker making Shouto’s heart leap in confusion but he kept racing up the steps. “Miss Shida is safe. She’s up here—

The man’s voice echoed as Shouto appeared in the doorway on the top floor and heard his assistant in person.

“—in your office.” Dojire was standing at his desk, eyes flicking up to his boss materializing. They both hung up and Shouto urgently strode across the room, pausing at Dojire’s desk.

“What happened?”

“She came up here earlier today in distress, not wanting to be alone.” His assistant gestured with a nod to the office; he offered his boss Ani's phone. “I encouraged her to rest in your office. She’s been in there, safe, since.”

Guilt panged Shouto’s lungs and he tried to keep his expression calm. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I’m sorry, sir,” Dojire said with a bow at his waist. “She insisted she felt better simply being up here and didn’t want to burden you with everything else happening right now."

“It’s alright, Dojire,” dismissed Shouto with as forgiving a tone as he could manage—though it wasn’t much. “She can be quite persistent at times.”

Dojire nodded uneasily. “I will inform you next time, sir.”

“Thank you,” Shouto said as he went to his office not wanting to waist another moment. He opened the door to his office to find it was completely dark. He leaned out of his office with a skeptical look at his assistant.

“Closet,” Dojire offered.

Shouto came back in and closed the door, navigating through the darkness. He found Ani slumped against the wall asleep in the dim light of a nightlight in his closet. He slipped his arms underneath her and scooped her up off the floor. She sighed, still sleeping, and shifted into his left side as she felt the warmth. He smiled at the customary reaction. As he cradled her against him, he noticed how light she was. Had she been this way since she got back and he just didn’t notice? Worries flooded his veins and he reflexively clutched her protectively against him. She shifted and inhaled deeply against his uniform nose crinkling and eyes opening at the dusty smell.

She blinked, clearing the sleep away, and focused on the face of her hero above.

“Shouto,” she yawned and smiled. “When did you get back?”

“Just now,” he said quietly. Instead of bringing her out to one of the couches in his office he sat back down where she had been, savoring the peace and quiet of this private space. He wanted to assure her she could tell him when she was feeling like this, that it wouldn’t be a burden or a distraction to him, but he guessed she already knew it and still didn’t want to bother him.

“I’m sorry I didn’t say it before...” he murmured, cheek resting against her head. “but you are always welcome to this space.”

“Thanks,” she whispered and listened to the sound of his heart as she wrapped her arms around him.

“Though, of course, I wish you would tell me when you’re feeling like this...I’m glad you came up here.”

The deep reverberation of his voice through his chest was soothing and rolled through Ani. She fully relaxed against him.

“Will you tell me what happened?” He quietly asked.

She tilted her head up. Even in the dim light the two tones of his eyes glowed. “I just got jittery and nervous all by myself down there. I could hear every little thing and it was starting to freak me out.”

He listened, absorbing. “How long did it last?”

“Not long,” she said with the shake of her head. “It went away pretty quickly once I got up here.”

“And stole another one of my sweatshirts?” He smirked at the now-wrinkled fabric around her.

She bit her lip bashfully as her eyes narrowed. “Hey. I stayed in here with it so technically...I haven’t stolen it...”

His glowing eyes gleamed like a predator. “That’s a very fine line you’re walking Miss Shida.”

Between her legs became increasingly warm in the dark lust of his gaze and her fingertips started to roam across his chest. “Well...I wouldn’t want to break any rules. Maybe I should...take it off.”

He adjusted the angle he was sitting, pants getting tight at her suggestion. It was an alluring thought. He had gone so long without her in so many ways and his restraint was thinning. Unlike his dick, which was only getting thicker and harder from the way she looked up at him. She shifted in his lap, straddling him without breaking eye contact and his hands fell naturally to her hips.

Her hands came up to his neck, fingertips lightly tracing his jaw as she slowly leaned in watching him in the dim light until the last moment before their lips touched. His own eyes fell closed as she kissed him. Every moment of her fingertips, no matter how small, felt electric on his skin and he wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling their hips together. She pressed into the kiss and their mouths fell open naturally in sync but she swiped her tongue through first, filling his mouth with her hot, wet muscle. It short-circuited his brain. He let her invade him as her hands kept hold of him lightly around his neck and jaw. Without realizing it, his body responded to every motion of her mouth against his with a roll of his hips. They were both quickly a panting, hot and sweaty mess pressed up against each other from mouth to pelvis.

Ani pulled away and he gulped for air impatiently as she leaned back far enough to pull the sweatshirt over her head. Her shirt came with it.

He wasn’t sure she noticed until she returned to kissing him with fervor and his hands fell upon her sides. She gasped and he shifted, taking control by plunging his own tongue into her as the warmth and chill of his fingers roamed across her back.

For Ani there was something about the two temperatures that was irresistible and she had to come up for air before she became light-headed. His blood rushed with satisfaction at the way her breath became ragged. He kissed down her neck earning a quiet sound when he began sucking lightly marking her pale skin. She was pressing herself against him now, grinding down onto his evident arousal and arching her back. He exhaled an icy mist across her skin as his mouth sank to the top of her chest but before he could attack the supple flesh, she reached down between them and started undressing him. He realized he was still in his uniform.

“I’m still in my dirty clothes,” he said between kisses on her neck. “I haven’t even showered yet.”

“Then let’s shower together,” she said with peaceful ease.

Shouto paused for a moment, catching her eye before she looked away with such an intense blush he could see it in the dim light.

“I-if you want to,” she quietly amended.

He understood she mistook his hesitation as disinterest when, in fact, it was a surging wave of relief. And joy. Also arousal.

A wanton, needy grin slowly spread across his face. “You have no idea how long I’ve waited to hear you say that.”

Chapter 76: To Be Reunited

Notes:

*NSFW*

Chapter Text

They were special words. A proposition that had become near sacred over the course of their relationship.

Then let’s shower together.

It was like Shouto had been holding his breath since they were reunited and with those quiet words he released the breath...because it was one thing that she was physically back at his side. But it was another that she return in spirit, too. He was horrified to learn they erased her memory and doubt began dissolving his confidence about how she would come back. Would she still love him? Would it be the same?

Would he be enough?

Questions riddled through him all the time from deep within his subconscious, making every passing moment a torturous existence that he couldn’t share with anyone. She was his oasis from himself and his life. The only person he could trust with secrets, admit mistakes without judgment, and know, no matter what happened—above all else—she would always love him. The possibility that he might lose that person, that she might never come back, hurt him more than he could say.

There was no way for him to truly know what she had been through. He only had a glimpse into what she suffered at the mercy of the League and the Absolved and he didn’t know if she would ever tell him the rest. But he was never going to leave her side. He was prepared to wait a lifetime, without pressuring her, until she was truly ready for anything like this. And those words...they were the sign for which he’d been starving.

Ani stood up and offered a hand. His glowing eyes roamed up her outstretched arm and stared up into the deep blue eyes waiting patiently without a trace of doubt or insecurity or unhappiness. She was here, his oasis, and ready to be with him. All of him.

Ani knew he didn’t need any help getting up but the look in Shouto’s eyes reminded her of a person waking up from a traumatic injury. Eyes wide as if they were seeing the world for the first time, again. She waited, preparing to wait as long as he needed.

He surprised her, accepting her hand, and let her lead him backwards into the bathroom. She tried to hide her growing smile and dropped his hand to turn on the shower; she turned back to see him taking off the top of his hero costume.

She watched his muscles flex as he pulled the fabric over his head and slid out his arms. There was something profound filling the air between them and Ani realized how badly she had craved the safety of those arms, this person. Her body had been starved, beaten, and abused...she didn’t know that he would ever want her this way again but the unabashed way he approached her mouth washed away her fears. To have hands, his hands, on her lovingly...feeling him cherish every part of her and every moment of being with her was doing more than just filling in the cracks of the past. She could feel that his love was fresh in the here-and-now, not just a stale love given out of obligation to what they had been. She didn’t realize how badly she needed and wanted to be with him like this. To be exchanging open-mouthed kisses as he slid his fingers up the back of her head through her hair to work her lips more passionately while his other hand fell to her lower back.

Steam was filling the bathroom and they were still only kissing. His skin was a spectrum of hot to cold pressed against her bra-covered chest and her hands rested on his hips, pulling him in until there was no space left between them. The intense dance of their tongues and lips said all the things they couldn’t put into words. All the sleepless nights. The numb hours of the day. They were back together now and neither of them could have been happier.

She traced the edge of his pants and once she found the buckle of his utility belt, she began to open it. He was already stiff but the feeling of her hands so close to his member hardened him even more. The fabric of his pants dropped to his ankles. His own hands quickly undid her own zipper and pushed her pants down over her hips. She sucked in a breath when she realized he pulled her underwear down, too, and the cold air made her aware of just how wet she had become. He followed the fabric to the floor. She expected him to rise back up when they were all the way down but he didn’t, instead, he hooked his hand up behind her knee and lifted her leg.

She leaned back, grabbing onto the edge of the sink to balance herself as half of his face disappeared between her legs. She felt his hot breath on her slick folds. He began to work his tongue up her slit, swirling the bundle of nerves he knew so well, and she gasped deeply. The sound curled into a soft moan and she was practically dripping onto his face as his cold fingers joined the efforts of his mouth. His left hand absentmindedly warmed her propped-up thigh.

“Sh-shouto,” she gulped, knuckles turning white as she gripped the counter. He knew her too well, tracing and flicking in just the right ways as he was practically lapping up every drop of her arousal.

“I-I ’m close.” She lightly tapped the hand on her thigh to make sure he heard her but he didn’t curb his efforts.

“I’m—” she panted. He opened his eyes, looking up at her with a needy satisfaction and tipped her over the edge. “Oohh.”

Her knees buckled with the force of the orgasm that rippled through her body with a powerful shockwave. She slipped from the edge of the counter and he caught her, cradling her head.

“Are you okay?” He asked in an urgent whisper and she answered him with a fierce kiss, unphased by the taste of herself in his mouth. She ended up straddling him again and this time he lifted her up with ease, still kissing. She unsnapped her bra, letting it fall to the floor and Shouto pushed his own underwear down, juggling her as he shimmied out and kicked them away. He carried her into the shower stall that had become a steam-room. He pushed her up against the wall and she took a sharp breath in through her nose, back arching away from the cold stone. His left hand quickly passed between her back and the wall. When he pushed her back up against it, the stone was warm. He pinned her against the wall with his hips so his hands could roam free; it also meant the length of his dick pressed onto the outside of her sensitive pussy. She ground herself against his erection, eagerly humming into the kiss, as she cupped his face and played with his hair as it got wet from the shower.

He palmed her chest, working each mound of flesh as a whole before drawing back to play with her nipples, teasing them each with a different temperature. She had to break from his mouth so she could gulp for air between mewls of pleasure. He could feel every twitch of her folds against his shaft and dragged his lips, his tongue, down the side of her neck and began working that certain spot on the corner of her neck that made her weak. He was vigorously stimulating so many areas that she climaxed again coating his dick in copious amounts of natural lubrication.

With a dip of his knees and roll of his hips, he slipped into her. As he pushed up into her tightness, Ani released a deep sigh of satisfaction; he pulled back from her neck to watch her eyes flutter closed with a pleasure and sense of rightness that mirrored how he was feeling. She was so tight, better than he remembered. And so warm. His hands fell to her waist holding her up as he pulled out and shuddered. There was such a fierce suction on his dick that he quickly thrust back up into her and she moaned.

His cock buried so deep into her, filling her, stretching her, and it made Ani feel the most complete since before she had been kidnapped. Shouto began working himself steadily now. He was glad Ani had already finished; he wanted to cum with her but wasn’t sure how long he was going to last. It had been such a long time since they were together like this, what felt like an eternity, and yet it was so right, so good, that it was like no time had passed at all.

Both of them began breathing raggedly in time with his ravenous humping. Ani’s hands gripped Shouto’s arms to steady herself as she felt heat flush throughout her body lighting the way for her third orgasm. Her cunt clenched around him, hard, as she let out a deep whine. His rhythm faltered. Giving one, two, three more rough thrusts deep into her he finished, gushing out a massive load of cum. He stayed buried in her, holding her up with his lower body as his hands rose to her face, cupping it.

“I love you,” he said softly. Her eyes parted with a heavy, tired gaze and she smiled breathlessly at him.

“I love you.” She rested her forehead against his, eyes falling shut and chest still heaving as she tried to catch her breath. “So much.”

He grinned with a breathy laugh and pecked her lips, and again, pressing his lips into hers longer savoring everything about this moment. This proper, complete reunion.

 

~

 

Jireta had never felt so alive. She hadn’t taken her eyes away from the crowd as she kept fucking around with people. Back and forth, across the mass of swirling bodies, she had shifted the power of confidence until lurkers were out dancing in the spotlight and the finest dressed, most alluring patrons had left demoralized. Ryoshi had long ago finished her drink and watched Jireta take the reins of her quirk. Only now did Jireta understand that her life of self-deprecation was more than just being hard on herself; the speed in which she mastered her abilities showed how familiar she was with these thoughts.

As she used her quirk more and more, the weight of her past slowly floated off her shoulders. She spent so long thinking she wasn’t good enough and in this hazy, dim club she understood that was not it at all. It was her quirk. Unrealized ability turned inward upon herself where it laid for a lifetime eroding her self-confidence until she had no way to build herself back up again. And there had never been someone to help build her back up...before Ryoshi.

Three hours after they arrived, Jireta and Ryoshi left the club behind. Jireta wasn’t ready to go home, to return to her sheltered life of ignorance. Not yet. Every cell inside of her felt awakened and she was riding a high of power.

Ryoshi smirked as her new friend spun around a lamppost.

“I’ve never felt so free,” Jireta said.

Ryoshi kept walking. “See? I told you that you have a quirk.”

“Yeah...” Jireta fell in-step, eyes bright. “You were right.”

They fell quiet as they walked along the less-busy sidewalks now. One of Ryoshi’s comments came back to Jireta as they meandered.

“Back at the club...you said things have been shitty lately...” Jireta prompted. She wasn’t sure they were friends like this yet but she wanted to repay the woman in some way.

Ryoshi continued in silence, hands in her pockets.

“What’s going on?” Jireta asked directly.

Ryoshi’s dark eyes unfocused as she stared ahead. “I lost someone very special to me.”

“Just like Rua did.”

“The same person, to be exact.” Ryoshi’s voice hardened. “My girlfriend. She was a...casualty...you could say of the attacks a few weeks ago here in Musutafu.”

“I’m so sorry,” offered Jireta. In the silence that followed she risked asking “what happened?”

Ryoshi’s muscles tensed, flexing the fleshy scales of her skin. “After the years of hard work it took to convince her to move here...she was taken from me.”

Jireta’s heart sank for the woman beside her and they walked the remaining blocks in a heavy silence. As she climbed the stairs up to the entrance to her building, she paused and turned again. Ryoshi looked up before she walked away, waiting to hear what Jireta wanted to say.

“Is there anything I can do to help you get her back?”

Ryoshi scrutinized her from the night shadows. “How far are you willing to go?”

The question curled through Jireta’s mind. She had known Ryoshi for such a short time. She barely knew anything about her, not even what her quirk was. And yet... No one had ever tried to look deeper into her before, or ever been interested or aware of her enough to consider she might have a quirk. She felt drawn to this woman. Maybe her whole life had been leading up to this point, this moment. This question.

“In one night you set me free from a lifetime of suffering. I want to do what it takes to help you. To help you get your girlfriend back.”

Relief brushed the edges of Ryoshi’s features. “I’d like that.”

“Let me know what I can do. And when.” Jireta almost turned to her door but looked back to ask one more thing, sensing the walls between them were thinning. “If...if you don’t mind my asking...what’s your girlfriend’s name?”

“You wouldn’t know her...Her name was not made public, despite what happened to her.”

“Oh,” Jireta accepted with a touch of disappointment. Maybe there was only so comfortable you could get with someone in one night but Ryoshi surprised her.

“Hogo,” she answered. “Her name is Hogo Sareta.”

Chapter 77: Getting Together

Notes:

*NSFW*

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Bakugo rolled over, sleepily searching for and finding his tether to happiness. He wrapped a massive arm around Hansha and dragged her across the expanse of his—their—king size bed until she was tucked against him. She rolled around. A contented sigh rolled across his bare skin leaving a trail of goosebumps that roused his eyes open. He looked down at Hansha’s face, still slack and deep asleep, and felt a warmth spreading through him.

It was strange. Not like the powerful raging heat he channeled through himself when he used his quirk, but a gentle warmth like the rising sun. He lightly traced the shape of her cheek and she sighed again, smiling in her sleep and Bakugo found that he was smiling, too. Everything about this moment was strange and new and not unpleasant. Was it possible for him...to still be himself...if he could feel like this?

Hansha’s eyes pressed tightly together before slowly opening. She yawned and blinked, clearing away the sleep, before tracing the lines of his chest with a happy gaze up to his neck and found his usually fearsome red eyes resting softly on her face. Bakugo dropped the smile from his face when she looked up at him and she smirked. He scowled, not wanting to be caught in a tender moment.

Instead of calling him out on it she closed her eyes and pressed a kiss onto his chest with a grateful hum. “Good morning.”

He grunted.

She parted one eye up at him and he felt like she could see right through him. Last night had been the first night they spent together. Whenever he had come home from work this week she was here. They shared meals together. Spent time walking through the neighborhood at different times of day and did all the things a normal couple did though he never officially asked her to be his girlfriend. They were also all the things he thought were stupid, pointless, and dumb. A general waste of time for people without ambition and no direction in life. But he, begrudgingly, was starting to understand. He had only felt that way before because he had never been so interested to another person.

His reaction to save her life had been because she was Ani’s clone and he couldn’t deny that was the source of his original attraction to this version of her. But as more time passed, Hansha was becoming different in her own way. She was driven by the vulnerability to her existence that Ani didn’t have to bear and it made her thirsty for life. It was like she wanted to see everything and experience everything she could for herself, not just through Ani’s memories. Even if it was just slumping onto the couch with him and a gigantic bowl of popcorn to watch a movie. Everything felt precious to her. With her. Last night he had taken her on a date, a real date where they dressed up and ate a fancy meal and held hands while they walked around under the city lights. The memory of her eyes, wide and sparkling as they treasured every detail, was enough to kindle the tide of that feeling he was refusing to name.

Their return home had been quick, thick with all the things he was experiencing alongside her and the moment they were inside their hands were on each other. Her dress on the floor, his suit in pieces up the stairs as they approached a milestone they’d been creeping toward during their whole week together.

His hands were hot on her skin. Her fingers were eager across his body. Their mouths never stopped attacking in a fight to devour the other. His mind was registering all the details of her in a way he had never wanted to appreciate anyone before. What it felt like to have her pressing up against every inch of him in an appreciation for more than his looks and his body and his status. Fuck. Every laugh, every story they had shared this week. Every look he had stolen when she was absorbed in some trite but fascinating detail of life he never bothered with before. It was all rising to the surface now, filling him like wind in the sails of a great ship leaving port.

When his rough, usually scowling lips greedily sank to her neck she tilted her head back, welcoming him to it and he twisted a hand in her short, silky hair. The other held her lower back as she arched into him and moaned. Shit. This was a lot more intense than he ever imagined. And they weren’t even in bed yet.

He slowly walked forward, lifting her easily off the ground, and navigated the upstairs floor on memory alone as he made his way to bed. There was so much he wanted to do and yet he wanted to savor every second; the two urges battled within him. His shins bumped the bed and they started to fall. Somehow, Hansha flipped them over so he landed underneath her and she stared down, straddling him, as she bit her lip. His skin felt like it was on fire under her lustful, churning eyes as they moved up his body but it was nothing compared to the way he felt when her eyes met his. The way they locked on as if there was nothing else in the world worth seeing. Never before had he felt so wanted, so appreciated, so l—.

He watched her reach behind herself, still staring at him, and unclasp her bra. His eyes flicked down to the two soft mounds of flesh that prickled with goosebumps and pointed with two hard, pink nipples. He licked his lips and looked back to her blushed face. Though he was painfully hard, he slowly sat up feeling a need to assure her she was more than a body to him. He kissed her gently at first, deepening as she parted her lips and let him in and cupped the back of her head. He held her ass firmly as he rotated them until she was lying beneath him on the bed. He palmed one of her tits and her hands flew to his face. As he rolled the hard nub with his thumb, she broke the kiss with a gasping inhale followed with a moan.

His mouth appeared on her other sensitive bud tracing circles with the occasional flick as he squeezed the flesh around it and felt her fingers in his hair, gently tugging absentmindedly with each wave of stimulation. Her other hand rested next to her head, fingers curled with nothing to do as he played with her breasts. She was becoming breathless beneath him and he kneed her legs apart. When his erection pressed into the apex between her thighs, she mewled and felt her legs fall open so her pelvis could grind up into him.

A wave of impatience rolled through him and he momentarily abandoned her reactive tits so he could remove the last barrier of clothing off each of their hips. He paused to print the image into his mind forever, this woman naked, open, and ready for him on his bed. Nipples pink and hard covered with his spit, her lips pink and swollen from his mouth. And her lower lips wet, pink, and waiting. For him.

She cracked her eyes open and locked onto his with a lustful invitation. His blood boiled with every way he wanted to have her but one way at a time, he reminded himself. He crawled over her again, still keeping his eyes on hers as he positioned himself and slowly pushed up into her tight pussy. Her head fell slack on the bed, chest heaving with the feeling of his cock pressing into her and he closed his own eyes. Slow was usually not his style but this was a moment worth savoring. He groaned when his pelvis met hers, fully sheathed in the warmth, wetness, and tightness that he wanted to keep for himself forever.

Shit. He realized, eyes flashing open. “I forgot a condom.”

Hansha grabbed his arm before he could pull out and she looked at him through thin slits. “I can’t get pregnant.”

“...Is that a clone thing?” He asked.

She shook her head. “No. It's a biological, or genetic, or whatever thing.” She smirked up at him. “Rare not to get a wise-crack or something from you.” The smirk turned into a cheeky grin. “What’s wrong, kitten? Cat got your tongue?”

A devious smirk formed on his face. “Oh...I’ll give you somethin’.”

Her smirk vanished as he pulled out, replaced with a needy expression of shock when he thrust back in. He began sliding in and out vigorously, charged with the revelation that he could fuck her all he wanted without anything in the way. He watched every twitch of her features, reaction of her body as he adjusted his angle, his pace, until he found the particular motion that had her quickly gasping. He added a slight rotation to his hips and she moaned out in a way that lit his veins on fire. He traced that same path over and over and over again until she was clutching at his arms.

She cried out his name— “Ohh, Katsukiiiiii” —as he snapped his hips and pushed her over the edge. Her walls clenched down with a ferocious tightness that made him groan and his knees buckle as he came. He caught himself on his forearms on either side of her face and panted as his dick painted the inside of her with his scorching-hot cum. He watched her body twitch with each of his slowing thrusts. A thin sheen of sweat covered her naked body and caught the soft light from his lamp in the corner making her skin shine. In his own haze of climax, he memorized the look on her face when she parted her eyelids and looked up at him with a smile in a way no one had ever smiled at him before.

He felt it, again. That word he didn’t want to say. Didn’t want to use. And could see it in the dark, deep lusty pools of her eyes: she felt it too. She reached up, pressing her forehead to his, and let their heavy breathing say everything that needed to be said between them.

He had carried her to the bathroom then, where they cleaned each other off between repeated rounds of the greatest sex of his life and promptly fell asleep naked together.

He looked down at her one-eye parted open up at him in this early morning light and felt his expression soften. Yeah. She could see right through him to all the details he would remember forever about their night together last night but she didn’t say anything. She closed her eyes and sighed again, as if she had only just orgasmed, resting against his solid form.

He cleared his throat and in a rough whisper asked “Hansha...we're...you're only with me. Right?”

She grinned and blushed, squeezing whatever part of him she could wrap herself around without opening her eyes. “Yeah.”

He let himself smile again and held her tightly.

 

Bakugo grumbled, hands in his pockets, as Hansha dragged him along the street. He was moodily scanning the area and wouldn’t admit to himself that this was a pretty nice district of Dagoben.

Hansha double-checked the phone that Bakugo had gotten for her earlier this week. “This is it!”

“Tch.” The scoff was his only answer. If it was up to him, they still would be in bed, repeating the events of last night for the whole day, but he couldn’t stay obstinate around this bubbling ball of life. Hansha wanted to have lunch with the closest thing to a ‘sister’ and ‘brother’ she insisted she would ever have and he couldn’t deny her such a benign request. When he asked if the half-n-half bastard was going she gave him a sly grin and said not only was he going, he was paying for lunch.

Bakugo, reminded of this fact, smirked smugly as he followed Hansha through the gate of a garden in front of a very modern-looking condo. He would never admit the surgeon had style.

Hansha was nearly trembling with excitement after she rang the doorbell and waited. Ani answered the door in leggings and an oversized sweater that hung to her mid-thigh. She didn’t hesitate to welcome them.

“Come on in, you guys,” she said with a smile. “The food just got here.”

Smells of warm teriyaki and miso soup plumed around them as they came in. The surgeon joined Ani at the door, staring at the copper-haired version of his younger sibling.

“Aino,” Ani said, dissolving whatever weirdness there may have been. “This is Hansha.”

“Hi,” he said placidly, staring at Hansha.

“Hansha, this is our older brother, Aino.”

Hansha, unphased by his blatant stare, tapped her chin and grinned. “You look just like you do in Ani’s memories.”

He laughed once, releasing the tension he was feeling. “Thanks. I think?”

Hansha laughed. “Yeah. It’s a good thing.”

“God, I need a drink,” Bakugo grumbled from behind Hansha.

From the doorway where he was leaning Shouto sarcastically said “beer? Or something stronger?”

“Hey!” Aino snapped his fingers at the two men. “A round of sake!” Bakugo perked up at the sound of that and followed the surgeon into the kitchen. Ani took Hansha’s hand and led her through their brother’s house.

“How’s your week been?” Ani asked her twin as Aino arranged five small glasses. She caught his eye and shook her head. “None for me, please.”

“Hansha?” he asked.

“Yes please!” She answered without hesitation. Bakugo gave her a small smirk, appreciating her excitement for life’s experiences.

“Shouto?” Aino wiggled a cup at the white-red head and Bakugo stifled a snicker. Shouto narrowed his eyes at the explosive ash-blonde and prepared to comment but Aino interjected. “Am I really going to have to police the two of you?”

Hansha and Ani exchanged the exact same worried glance. There was such comradery in it that they broke out into laughs together, covering their mouths in the same way.

“God, this is weird,” muttered Bakugo.

“Yeah. Aino, I’ll take one today,” Shouto said joining the surgeon and other pro-hero at the kitchen island.

“Here we go,” he said pouring out four cups of sake and one cup of water, distributing them around. “To this...new...weird...family?” He offered.

Ani shrugged. “Sure. To that!”

They all clinked and emptied their cups in one full swig.

“Glaagghhh,” Hansha panted, tongue hanging from her mouth after she had swallowed. “That was strong.”

Ani laughed again, covering her mouth. “Yeah. I don’t like it for that reason.”

“I’m glad I tried it, though,” Hansha chuckled. Ani refilled her cup with water and Hansha cleared her mouth while Shouto helped Aino pull out dishes and arrange the food on the table.

“It’s nice to have enough people to use this," Ani noted quietly to her brother from his side.

He glanced up at Hansha who was still in the kitchen, giggling at something Bakugo said. “It is. And it’s not as weird as I thought it would be...She’s just like you, and yet not like you at all.”

“I agree,” Shouto said softly, kissing Ani’s head as he passed.

The five of them sat and ate together with stop-and-go conversation and, though it was clear there was still a tension between Bakugo and Shouto, the atmosphere no longer crinkled with an awkwardness. The conversation began to smooth out and feel natural.

With plates empty, stomachs full, Bakugo leaned back in his chair. “Thanks for lunch, half-n-half.”

“No problem,” he said popping the last piece of his chicken into his mouth. “Your turn to buy next time.”

Bakugo pouted scornfully and Hansha rolled her eyes with a smile, hinting there would definitely be a next time and they would happily treat.

Aino brushed his hands off and said “let’s clear the table. We’ve got dessert, too.” Four chairs pushed back as the occupants stood and lifted up their plates.

Shouto paused. “...Ani?” The quiet worry in his voice made the other three pause and look to her chair where she was still sitting, lost in anxious thought.

“Actually...can I talk to you all about something...first?” Her eyes shifted across each of them.

Aino and Shouto exchanged a worried glance and they all sat back down.

“Ani...what’s wrong?” Hansha asked from across the table, wondering what could be on her twin’s mind. There was a tight silence as she searched for the words.

“I’m...I’m not quite sure how I proposed this plan the first time...” she glanced between everyone again and settled on her brother. “But...I want to prepare bone marrow. This time for Bakugo.”

“What?” Shouto, Hansha, and Bakugo all said at the same time. Bakugo’s face twisted in blatant confusion.

Shouto’s brow furrowed. Cautiously, he asked “why?”

Ani turned to face him in her chair. “Look, I know you don’t believe me about that...that orange-haired woman, whatever her name was—”

“Rua,” offered Hansha quietly.

“Rua, but I told you. I have a bad feeling about her. About what she’s doing and saying...and more importantly, what we’re not hearing. What she's saying and doing when the cameras aren’t around.”

Shouto’s shoulders sagged as if they’d had this argument before. He looked at her, his expression torn and her own eyes echoed it. “Nothing’s going to happen,” he insisted.

“We don’t know that for sure,” she quietly said.

He abruptly pushed away from the table in his brusque demeanor and said “excuse me.”

She watched him go to the bathroom with unrelenting determination and a hint of sadness before turning to the other three.

“Despite Shouto's and my disagreements,” she began. “I worry about this Rua person and what she stands for. I want you, Bakugo, to have the same protection everyone else here has.”

He scowled and glanced around with his arms crossed. “What are you trying to say, Goldilocks.”

“If you accept a bone marrow transplant from me, you’ll be able to endure much worse injuries than you could survive on your own without needing my blood.”

Bakugo’s stormy red eyes glared at her for a long quiet moment. Shouto came back to the table, face impassive as ever as the ash-blonde looked to him.

“So that’s how you did it,” he growled.

Shouto met his rival’s glare head-on. “I had Ani’s help, yes. Like you have your grenades, and Midoriya has his boots. We all have support, none of us have made it to where we are entirely on our own.”

Bakugo’s nostrils flared. “How is that not cheating,” he demanded.

Shouto shrugged. “To a lot of people, it is.”

“What happens when I get this treatment and I become better than you?” He challenged vehemently. “Since this is what gave you your leg-up.”

“Then the world will be better, safer,” Shouto admitted, taking Ani’s hand and exchanging a meaningful look with Ani. “There are some places we can’t get to alone. And they wouldn’t be worth reaching on our own, either.” He smiled sadly, though it didn’t touch his eyes, at Ani before neutrally turning back to Bakugo. “Take the treatment, Bakugo.”

Bakugo crossed his arms, sourly looking across the table.

“Take the treatment, Bakugo.” It was Hansha who spoke softly from her seat next to him. His arms fell uncrossed when he met her eyes that were beginning to water and she blinked. A tear fell but she didn’t try to hide it. “I don’t want anything to happen to you.”

He felt his fists clench. A comment like this would normally send him into a raging whirl of defense about his abilities to do anything on his own without any help but it was different coming from her. It didn’t speak of his inability. The comment spoke of how much he meant to her.

“What would I have to do?” He asked gruffly, looking at the table. Hansha silently pressed her foot against his, already knowing him well enough that he would be uncomfortable if she reached out and took his hand.

“Almost nothing,” said Aino, drawing the four sets of eyes to himself. “You can come here or I can come to your house, and it’ll take an hour or two while I administer the transplant.”

Bakugo’s eyes narrowed. “It can’t be that easy.”

Aino shrugged. “It is what it is. I do most of the work. Ani endures most of the strain.”

The crimson orbs flicked to her. “Why.”

“Because it will help you—”

“No,” he cut her off. Looking at her with narrowed eyes. “Why.”

“Because you’re my friend,” she answered.

He stared at her pointedly, not accepting the brief answer.

Ani’s eyes slowly fell to the table and her eyes unfocused, remembering. “I heard...about everything you did to help find me while I was kidnapped...” She looked at Hansha, then Bakugo. “And now you’re with someone. Someone who is—for lack of a better term—my sister. You’re a part of whatever this is now,” she scanned the table, looking back to him. “And I take that very seriously.”

He stared back at her silently.

“You're a part of this,” said Shouto.

And for once when the two pro-heroes looked at each other, there was no hostility.

Notes:

I mentioned it a while ago, but I have a soft spot for Bakugo XD He had to get some action, too

Chapter 78: Just a Note | No New Chapter Right Now

Chapter Text

Hi my lovelies,
I just wanted to drop you a quick note to acknowledge I haven't posted anything for a while. I'm getting caught up in some seasonal shenanigans and I don't want to churn out a low-quality chapter just to post something. When I have a chance to get a piece of quality down for you, I'll put it up but can't make any promises as to when it will be.

Thank you for your patience, understanding, and--as always--being a reader :) I can't wait to keep sharing!!

No matter where you are in the world, or what your beliefs are, I wish a safe, happy, and healthy season and new year to you and your loved ones!

:)
-Shoulmate

Chapter 79: *Holiday Special*

Notes:

Takes place about six-months prior to the current plot point; it's that ski trip Shouto mentions in a previous chapter. Ended up being a lot longer than I planned but it was fun to write. And I couldn't stay away; I missed posting! Consider it a holiday present? Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

By the time they reached the resort Shouto could feel his tension starting to slip away. He thought Ani was crazy for insisting they take a break from everything during such a busy winter. People seemed to be getting cabin fever and acting up in this deep cold.

“Go to Hokkaido...now?" He had asked incredulously.

“Yes.” She stood in front of his desk with her fists on her hips looking like All Might after he finished cleaning up a disaster. “As your girlfriend, I want to have time with you. And, as your attending physician, I insist you give yourself a break for your health.”

He leaned back in his chair. She was adorable with her demands and he admitted to himself that time away with her would be time well spent...especially if they could do all the depraved things he was now thinking about. He covered his mouth, trying to hide his hungry smirk, but the blush on her face told him his eyes were giving away enough.

“What?” She asked, sternness faltering.

He shrugged, sitting back up. “I guess I can’t argue with my physician.”

She grinned victoriously. “Good. I’ll make the arrangements.”

“Make sure you share the plans with Dojire so he can clear proper time in my schedule,” he reminded her as she went to leave.

She paused at the door with a look over her shoulder. “Of course Mr. Todoroki.”

Oh-ho-ho. How his parts tightened with that playful tone and the image of her ass disappearing through his doorway.

He was completely on board from that moment on.

Now that they were pulling up to the snow-covered ski resort, he was looking forward to getting into their room.

“I’ll go check us in,” Ani said and gave him a quick peck.

“Leave the bags, I’ll get them,” he said before she could reach to the back seat.

“Thanks.” She smiled and closed the door behind herself. He watched her winter-dressed form for a moment longer then pulled away to find parking.

He carried Ani’s small suitcase, his own duffel bag slung across his shoulders, down the path carved in deep snow lined with warm white lights. It was so quiet here. So peaceful. It reminded him of the quiet in their apartment but more expansive. A soft silence that rolled across the landscape like a thick blanket.

He knew why Ani had insisted they come to this place now. Nestled in the mountains high above the closest town, a quaint tourist village that glittered in Ani’s eyes as they drove through. He noted a few shops and restaurants they could visit only if Ani desired to leave their room. Up here, at the resort, there were no crowds of people or swarming fans. It was relaxing.

He exhaled as he walked through the main lobby door, at ease, looking forward to their alone time together until his eyes landed on the love of his life. Well, more on the concierge checking her in and—very obviously—checking her out, too. Shouto’s body stiffened. Ani was typing on a tablet and from across the desk the concierge was eyeing her padded form with wanton curiosity; he offered to take her jacket.

She dismissed him, uncaring, entirely focused on the details of her reservation. Shouto was focused on her, oblivious to the blushing female hostess who came up to greet him. When Ani asked the concierge a question and tilted the tablet toward him, he looked at her left hand. Seeing no ring, he took the tablet with a brazen stroke of her hand.

Shouto saw red.

He side-stepped the woman still trying to get the attention of the number-two hero, with his focused lasered onto the only person about whom he was possessive. Seething inside and deadly calm on the outisde he approached the front desk and heard the concierge.

“Such a big suite for someone so beautiful to use all on her own.”

With a menacing iciness Shouto stepped up as Ani responded “no, my boyfriend is here, too.”

Shouto felt a sadistic satisfaction as the concierge looked up at the solid wall of a man who stood behind Ani, face draining of all color and cockiness as he met the heterochromatic hero’s eyes. The corner of Shouto’s mouth twitched.

He placed a hand on Ani’s lower back drawing her attention up from the screen.

“Hey,” she said with a smile that made him feel like the only man in the word. “I am so excited about this!” She took the tablet back from the concierge, not noticing his petrified expression. “There’s an onsen reserved for us, with the room. And if we don’t want to ski or take lessons we can use the spa!”

He leaned in, looking over her shoulder and rested his hands on the counter, caging her in. “Wow, that sounds amazing.”

Ani excitedly listed a few more amenities and Shouto basked in her happiness. She turned back to the concierge ready to finalize the checking-in process and did a double-take at the poor man’s pale face.

“Sir...are you alright?” She asked, unaware of what caused his distress.

He cleared his throat, trying not to squeak. “Y-yes, of course Miss Todoroki. I-I-mean Miss Shida.”

Ani blushed and smiled shyly at the mistake. She glanced up at Shouto who shifted his smug expression at the concierge to a hungry, lustful one for her. The poor man fumbled getting their keys together and Shouto resisted the possessive urge to lean in and mark the sensitive spot on her neck in front of this extra as Bakugo would say.

“H-here you go,” the concierge said riddled with nerves as he bowed his head and offered the keys with both hands. “Please let us know if there’s anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable.”

Shouto smirked, unable to hold back anymore. “Oh...there won’t be anything you can do for her.”

Ani’s face flamed. She accepted the keys and gave a quick thank-you to the humiliated man, grabbed Shouto by his duffel bag strap, and dragged him to the elevator. She would have flung him inside if she could have but instead he stepped inside and leaned against the wall, staring at her as she tried to hide her smile. Not even when other people joined them and noticed the pro-hero dressed for winter and their conversation fell to animated whispers did Shouto look away from her. The cluster of people got off first to Ani’s relief. Heat was blooming in her own chest and she couldn’t look at him. She could feel his eyes boring into her and she knew if she saw him looking at her that way she would lose control; she didn’t want to cause any public scandals. At least, not on their first night here.

At the top floor they got out and went to the end of the hall. Ani opened their door—one of only three on this floor—and they stepped into a lounge overlooking the mountain. One side of the lounge opened into a kitchen and dining room. The other side was bordered by open double-french doors leading to a massive bedroom centered around a king-size bed. Ani was clearly impressed with the room and blown away by their private balcony complete with a hot-tub where they could look out over the mountain. Shouto was indifferent to the amenities, having already experienced things like this during his life. What he enjoyed about this was the look of relaxed elation on Ani’s face.

“This is amazing,” Ani said as she approached him. He set their bags down. “Thank you for coming here and doing this with me.”

He smiled his real, full smile. “It’s my pleasure.” He brushed a lock of hair that had fallen from her ponytail behind her ear. “Do you want me to apologize for what I said at the desk?”

She watched his expression. “Do you regret doing it?”

“Absolutely not.” He grinned wider and Ani laughed.

“Then, no. Though I hope you won’t terrify any more of the staff.”

Shouto’s warm hand snaked around her back, the cold up her neck. Her eyes fluttered at the opposing temperatures. “He’s lucky I didn’t do more.” Placing a kiss at the base of her neck, he drew his mouth up her skin and whispered hotly in her ear “I don’t like it when people touch what’s mine.”

Ani shuddered in his arms, exposing her neck submissively as a familiar craving warmed her belly. Shouto began kissing her skin long and deep, leaving marks he hoped would last long enough for that degenerate to see.

“So...my attending physician,” he said impishly against her skin. “What do you prescribe first, for my health?”

She bit her lip and breathily said “Well...” A knock at the door cut her off.

Shouto growled under his breath. He held Ani tight and she was content to ignore the interruption. His lips found hers and kissed her deeply.

The person knocked again, polite but persistent as Ani lightly traced the lines of his lips, asking to explore him. More knocking; he groaned a mixture of irritation and arousal. Ani tried to hide her disappointment as his warm and cold hands disappeared to shoo their intruder. When he looked through the door he saw a man and woman, dressed in the hotel uniforms, standing in the hall with a small champagne cart. He begrudgingly opened the door.

The woman’s eyes popped open like she hadn’t believed the number two hero was really here.

“M-Mr. Todoroki!” She said and bowed; her associate bowed as well. “Please forgive our failure to properly welcome you to our establishment! We didn’t know this reservation was for you!”

“That was intended. My girlfriend made the arrangements for us so we could have a vacation under-the-radar,” he said pointedly at them.

“My gosh, of course!” The woman bowed again. “We assure you your presence here will go unreported to protect your privacy. Please accept this gift from the hotel; it is an honor to have you staying here with us and if there’s anything we can do to make your stay more pleasurable please don’t hesitate to let us know!”

Shouto accepted the tray, not allowing them to bring it into the suite as he heard the shower turn on. He gave them a terse good-bye and quickly shut and locked the door. He left the champagne trolley, complete with glasses and a bottle on ice, by the door. There was only one thing he had on his mind right now and eagerly crossed the suite to get it. His stripped clothes fell along the floor with Ani’s and he was fully erect by the time he made it to the half-glass half-stone stall where Ani was already showering.

He paused to watch how the water ran down her body, where it gathered and flowed in rivers over bare skin. She looked over her shoulder and caught his eye.

“Are you coming in?” She smiled. Not a moment later his hands appeared on her hips pulling her back against him. She tilted her head back and rested it on his shoulder. “Who was at the door?”

He murmured “just some staff to offer us champagne.” He could care less. “Now...where were we...?”

She slowly turned around and stood on her tip toes, wrapping her arms around his neck and pressing her wet, naked front against him. She started playing with the base of his hairline. He waited with a building anticipation that made his hands begin to stray from her hips. Before they could get anywhere erogenous, she turned them around so the warm water began to run down his back. Her hands slipped away from his hair, fingertips feeling their way down his slabs of muscle. She played with his patch of curly hair half-red, half-white and sank to her knees.

Towering above her, he watched her take his cock in her mouth. The water felt cold on his back compared to her moist heat. She relished the smooth, hard planes of his member as she stifled her gag reflex and brought her nose to his pelvis. He released a low moan. She sucked a few times, flexing her lips, tongue, and cheeks around him and listened to the deep, breathy sounds of his pleasure as his tip dipped into her throat. When she started to get lightheaded, she pulled back and set a steady pace for working up and down his shaft. Her tongue wriggled purposefully stroking the raised veins along his length and stimulating his tip.

“Oh, god, Ani...” He was gently rocking his hips into her motions without realizing but Ani wasn’t going to stop him. She was focused on his pleasure. Not knowing what to do with his hands he braced one arm against a wall and ran the other back through his hair, imagining her fingers running through the two colors though he wouldn’t complain about what they were doing right now. She was plunging his length in and out of her mouth vigorously, using one hand to work the base of his dick as the other gently cupped his balls.

He groaned. “Oh...fuck...Ani...I-I’m close,” he said but she already knew, sucking harder and faster at an intense pace that made his hips snap once, twice, jabbing the back of her throat. He spurted his come hard and fast noticing a sudden loss of the warm moisture. He looked down, knees almost buckling at the sight of Ani stroking him through his climax as she aimed his release at her body. His thick, gooey cum was coating her chest, slowly rolling down her tits and dripping off of her pointy, pink nipples.

Her face flushed with shyness and she looked up at him from under her eyelashes. “I...I hope that was okay...I just thought you might...I don’t know...” she looked away, still wearing a sheet of his cum. “Like it.”

Dark, obscene lust pooled in his eyes as he took in the erotic picture at his feet: his girlfriend painted with his carnal mark after he expressed his possessiveness toward her. Yeah. Liking it would be a an understatement. He offered her a hand and helped her stand up, pulling her backside against him and looked down over the front of her. He was already starting to harden again at the sight of her sticky chest.

Holding her arms to her side, savoring the sight a little longer he murmured “I wish I could mark you like this everyday...make you wear it under your clothes as you walk around and go about your day with this dirty secret.” He traced two fingers up the middle of her chest, gathering a coat of his climax that he brought to her lips. She accepted the digits willingly and licked them clean. A deep sound rumbled in his chest and he ground himself into her bare ass. “It was more than okay, Ani.”

She shivered at the deep timbre to his voice. He rotated, bringing her under the flowing water and lathered his hands with soap. She relaxed against him while his strong hands washed away the arousing evidence. His fingers deftly worked her soft flesh until she was pushing her backside against him and leaning forward. Shouto wasted no time in rinsing his hands and gripping her hips. Firm and ready to go again he hooked his hips and entered her from behind. Water splashed over both of them as Ani braced herself on the shower wall and Shouto slammed into her deep and hard. It wasn’t long before she was spasming around him the first time. He lifted her leg and hit another angle, fucking her relentlessly until she came again and triggered his second climax.

Panting, he set her leg down and they held each other in the comfortingly warm water. It was only their first night—hell, not even their first hour—here and he was already feeling better.

With an emotional, husky voice he said “thank you, Ani...for bringing me here.” He held her against him, sexual urges sated for the moment, and savored the moment.

“My pleasure,” she answered and he could hear the breathless smile in her voice.

 

The champagne was crisp. It went well with the food they ordered from room service and they ate side-by-side on one of the couches in the lounge. Shouto set up soft music that played from some corner of the suite and he sagged into the oversized cushions, eyes falling shut from a stomach-full of good food and a body relaxed from release. Ani looked up from her plate and saw the gentle slack in his features and felt her own stress start to dissolve. He had been working so hard recently and she was glad he agreed to give himself this break. She selfishly wanted the time alone with him but she was also worried; she didn’t want him to get sick or burn out and for something to happen while he was out saving the world.

Once her food was done she snuggled against him, covering them both with a blanket. His slow, deep breaths peacefully lulled her to sleep next to him.

 

Ani yawned as she woke up, trying to stretch against a familiar weight spooned around her. Her wrists and ankles cracked in the stretch. By the sound of him, Shouto was still asleep and Ani had no interest in waking him so she nestled in, content to watch the flat, gray clouds of winter shift in the early morning sun.

She drifted in and out of sleep until Shouto’s arm, wrapped around her waist, tightened; a sign of his awakening.

“Mmm,” his voice reverberated through her. “Good morning.” The peacefulness in his voice was tangible and it warmed Ani’s heart.

“Good morning handsome,” she said with a contented sigh. “What would you like to do, today?”

“I don’t know...what does my physician suggest for my health?” He asked coyly and nuzzled her hair.

Ani laughed and shimmied around to face him. “Just about anything as long as it’s relaxing and makes you happy.”

It was as simple as that.

Their morning rolled into the day with happy snuggling and story-sharing, another delivery of room service, a tender round of sex on the couch, blossoming into a dip into the hot tub. The mountain glittered in the afternoon sun, snow bright and magical to Ani but not nearly as bright as her happiness was to Shouto. In his mind this wasn’t a trip just for him. He had seen the stress she carried around, too, and wanted to make sure she had a break. Her health was just as important to him.

She uncovered he’d never had a massage and he admitted he couldn’t see the appeal of a stranger feeling him up. Why would he need that when he could have her doing it instead? Playfully he chased her out of the hot tub after she splashed him and laughed as she ran, squealing across the suite. She was easily caught, doubled-over laughing with him as he caught her and fell on the bed—landing with her on top.

“See?” He pointed out, pressing her hands where they rested on his chest. “No reason for a masseuse!”

She gave him a frisky glower and tried to pin him down with her hips as her fingers flicked to his armpits and tickled.

“Hey!” He protested lightheartedly, easily over powering her. Nearly collapsing with laughter, she was suddenly flipped onto her back with her wrists pinned down and her own waist straddled. He couldn’t help smiling as she kept laughing beneath him eventually subsiding with a happy sigh. She beamed up at him.

“You won’t get that from a masseuse, that’s for sure.” She gave him a cheeky grin and he swooped down, kissing her smile with his own.

“Wouldn’t want it anyway,” he said with his lips smushed against hers and she almost broke into another fit of giggles. “Come on.” He grabbed her arms and pulled her up before they soaked the blankets any more.

She flung herself against him, taking him in a hug. “I love you, Sho.”

There were no greater words than those. His arms fell around her and warmth spread across his body. “I love you, too, Ani.”

They held each other for a long moment before retreating to the bathroom, showering off, and dressing. The flow of their day seemed to lead them out of their room and Shouto was happy to go anywhere as long as it was with her.

 

He walked along the cozy, snow lined streets hand-in-hand with Ani as they looked for a place to eat dinner. She thoughtfully packed a trapper-style hat for him that covered his hair and obscured the view of his scar in the hope he could wander undisturbed. He appreciated it for her benefit; he didn’t want people interrupting the time he wanted to give to her.

They found an izakaya and it only took the host one direct glance at Shouto’s face to give them a secluded table in the back of the restaurant. Shouto was able to remove his hat and eat with his girlfriend without being bothered. They shared quiet conversation over unexpectedly delicious food that continued to fuel the recuperation of their mind and bodies.

Neither of them was ready to go back to the resort after they finished their meal and decided to walk among the modern, picturesque town a little longer. There were fewer people wandering around now. Shouto kept his eye out for a dessert café, hoping there might still be one open.

He paused along the sidewalk, Ani stopped next to him.

“Shouto, what’s wrong?” she asked, searching his expression.

Something wasn’t right. He could feel it.

He heard a faint echo, someone calling out but couldn’t hear what they were saying. A flicker of light caught his eye. Beyond the village, in the line of dark trees that started at the base of the mountain, two flashlights shined into the shadows moving away from the town.

“There.” Eyes narrowing, he pointed.

Ani followed his line-of-sight and saw the two silhouettes against the pools of light. “Oh no,” she whispered and heart sank. She didn’t have to be a hero to understand they weren’t doing something illicit; they wouldn’t be using flashlights that so obviously gave-away their location. No. They were looking for someone—or something.

“Hold on,” Shouto said and, scooping her up, launched them into the air from a shaft of ice he shot through a large snow bank. Though he wasn’t concerned about being discovered at this moment, he knew the wintery landscape would camouflage the ice. They flew through the air and he skated down a ramp of ice he made at the edge of the forest, only realizing Ani’s terrified state when he went to set her down. She looked like she was going to be sick. “Ani I’m so so—”

The call of a man and woman wandering deeper into the woods was clearer and it sounded like a name.

“Someone’s lost,” Ani weakly guessed. She sank down to the snow, trembling, and urged him ahead. “Go, help them. I’ll wait here for you, in case someone else comes.”

He guiltily tore his eyes away from her to rush up into the snowy night after the fearful calls.

She was not a fan of traveling like that. Ani braced herself, hoping she wasn’t going to throw up but relieved Shouto wouldn’t see it if she did. The cold started to soak into her jeans but she couldn’t stand up yet. She focused on long, slow breaths to abate the nausea.

Finally, she was able to look up without the world spinning around her and took stock of her quiet surroundings. She was just inside the line of trees, the sleepy buildings of the town a stone’s throw away, and stood up. As the forest floor gently sloped upward the snowfall decreased and the woven tracks of the people they saw disappeared. Ani stood up and brushed off what snow hadn’t melted into her clothes and looked around, wondering what could have drawn those people out like that. Somewhere deep in the mountains, a creature howled.

Ani shivered in the echoes of the primal sound and wrapped her arms around herself. If she wasn’t blessed with regeneration, she would have felt incredibly vulnerable out here in the dark. Even with it she still felt a little vulnerable. She hoped no one was hurt and strained unsuccessfully to hear anything from deeper in the forest. An owl called out across the canopy. Small creatures scurried away through the underbrush in fear. A gentle wind rustled the leaves.

The hair on the back of Ani’s neck stood up and her eyes darted around scouring the shadows. A soft coo floated in the cold breeze. At first it sounded like another night bird but when she heard it again she moved instinctively toward the sound. It grew more distinct, though still very quiet, and she stumbled, rushing toward the soft whimpers of a child crying between growing gusts of wind.

There was a rock out-cropping up the slope and she saw the glistening eyes of a child trying to hide in the shadows of a small crevice. Ani slowed her approach, not wanting to startle the frightened boy.

“Hey,” she quietly, gently said and slowly sank to the ground. He sobbed, frightened, at the sight of a stranger and clutched his arm against his chest. “Shh, it’s alright.”

She held her hands out and crouched, not moving any closer. “You’re okay, you’re safe now.”

He cried, shaking his head furiously.

"It's okay. I’m a nurse,” she tried to reassure him. “Tell me what happened. I can help.” The wind picked up, howling through the trees and cutting through Ani’s wet clothes with an icy bite. He wailed trying to disappear into the shadow of the rock where there was no more room to hide.

Ani looked around the dark forest; the town was farther down the slope now, streets deserted, and with the building winds she wasn’t sure she could shout loud enough for help to someone inside. She checked her phone and tried calling Shouto—she didn’t have enough service on this side of the mountain but Ani was not going to leave this child alone.

She tried to encourage him to come out but he was too distraught to leave the small pocket of protection he cowered in, so she shifted her position, looking out into the woods. She stared pleadingly into the night for a sign of someone, anyone. Far away in the town, several blocks away, police cars had assembled to Ani’s relief. She screamed, waving her arms, only for the wind to swallow her call. The child was still crying behind her as flakes of ice now swirled with the raging gusts. Ani was nearly knocked into the rocks as she tried to get the attention of the distant police now joining the search far in the woods but she began to lose sight of them in the dark, snowy night. She was about to pick up the child, no matter his protests, and run him out of the woods before they were trapped in the sudden storm—

A stick snapped.

The child cried a bone-chilling sound and Ani froze as two yellow eyes appeared, glowing like radioactive gems in the night.

Fear clogged her veins.

She saw no blunt objects—fallen branches or rocks—around them, only the wall of rock behind them offering any protection. Her heart throbbed, pulse thick with adrenaline as the eerie orbs shifted from her to the boy and a drooling tongue rolled out of the creature’s mouth between parted rows of fangs. All at once the creature lunged.

The child screamed.

Ani’s muscles snapped into action. She appeared in-front of the child, her own flesh caught in the jaws of the feral beast as it dove into her shielding body and slammed her head against rock as wind and ice tore up the night.

The world went black.

 

Shouto was surfing the mountain side on ice looking for the young boy who had gone out in search of his lost dog. The people in the woods were his frantic parents who quickly explained their dog went missing the previous week and as the boy was going to bed he swore he saw the dog in the woods. He ran out of the house without a flashlight before his parents could stop him. Though they followed after him as quickly as they could, they saw no sign of him once they were outside. Shouto instructed them to promptly return home, in case the boy came back, and call the police. He could move much faster and safer through the woods alone.

A short time later, having already searched a large portion of the mountainside, wind began to blow forcefully through the trees, lifting snow and ice into the air. Police lights flashed in the distance. Shouto turned back, doubting the boy could have made it this far, and rushed back to meet with the police. The wind picked up with a familiar ferocity that made his jaw clench but before he could make it to the growing line of flashlights he heard it: a scream that pierced his soul. He flew through the woods on a jet of ice to the sound of a child screaming for their life and saw a wall of wind and snow.

He barreled through and heard an animalistic growl, yelp, and cry of death but before he could reach the epicenter the wind abruptly changed and he saw the number-twelve hero: Gale Force soaring through the sky holding a child...and Ani’s limp form.

“ANI!” He yelled and sped after them.

There was a cluster of people, police, and an ambulance scrambling around Gale Force as he landed. The boy’s parents were emotional messes as they took their son. Shouto was cutting through the crowd, fear burning him up inside, trying not to shove people out of the way. Gale Force gently laid Ani on a stretcher and Shouto saw her dark blood start to stain the white sheet beneath her head. He finally made it to her side as the paramedics pushed her into the ambulance and Gale Force climbed in. He and the paramedics turned with the intention of blocking whoever was trying to get in with them but pulled back in surprise at the sight of the number-two hero.

“Shouto!” The paramedic exclaimed. “What are you doing here?”

“This is my girlfriend,” he said sliding in and closing the doors behind himself. His eyes took in every detail of Ani’s condition from her drenched pants to her torn jacket with a matching stain of darkness. “What happened?” He demanded to no one in particular.

The paramedic’s attention had already returned to his patient, hands flying over Ani as he triaged her wounds.

This brave young woman threw herself in front of a small child who was about to be attacked by a wild dog!" Gale Force explained passionately. “Her head hit a rock and she was knocked unconscious! I witnessed this as I arrived on the scene after hearing the child scream!"

“Another one?” The paramedic asked, shaking his head.

“What do you mean, another one?” Shouto asked.

Without looking up the man answered “this is the third attack of a wild animal in the past two weeks. We’ve never had this kind of problem before.”

Shouto’s mind began racing but his primary concern right now was making sure Ani was okay. The closest hospital was twenty minutes away and Shouto rode in anxious tension unable to look away from Ani. He told the paramedic about her quirk and the relief in the ambulance was palpable.

When they parked in front of the hospital, Shouto leaped out and helped pull Ani’s stretcher out of the back; nurses met them at the door and took over, running her into the ER with the paramedics. Shouto followed as far as he could until they went through doors declaring medical personel only, a surgical area.

He watched them wheel her down the hall and out of sight. After a long moment he returned to the waiting room of the ER and the boy soon arrived with his parents. Police came with them and asked Shouto a list of questions investigating what happened. Two officers did the same for Gale Force who remained in the hall outside the waiting room.

Time dragged on. The young boy and his parents came out and thanked both heroes profusely for their role in rescuing their son.

When the child asked if the girl pro-hero would be okay, Shouto gave a small, sad smile that didn’t touch his tired eyes. “Yes. She’ll be fine.” After more tears and apologies and expressions of gratitude the family left. Gale Force remained standing awkwardly next to Shouto who began to get lost in thought.

“Did you get a good look at the animal that attacked Ani?" Shouto asked his fellow-pro without looking at him.

Yes! It was very mangy and malnourished. It appeared to be either a small wolf or a very large dog.” Gale Force kept his eyes forward.

Shouto covered his mouth.

You look like you’re considering something very closely! Allow me to evaluate the situation with you my long-time peer!

“I was thinking about what that paramedic said...three wild animal attacks in two weeks. The boy’s parents said the family dog had gone missing...” Shouto’s brow furrowed darkly. “I wonder if someone in the mountains has a beast-altering quirk.”

Before they could go to the police with this theory the doctor came out and pulled Shouto to the side. To the red-white head’s immense relief Ani was stable and in recovery...her regeneration was the only reason she survived the otherwise fatal blow to her head. The doctor left Shouto in the waiting room until a nurse said it was okay for him to join Ani.

I find your girlfriend to be quite valiant. I admire her passion and would expect nothing less from the girlfriend of the nation’s number two hero.” Gale Force clenched his fist. “I am embarrassed to admit I do not know of her hero work. Tell me, what is her name! And her hero alias!

“She’s not a professional hero, at least in the eyes of society.”

That was vague and unhelpful!

Shouto looked at the loud man next to him from the corner of his eye, trying not to be annoyed at his involvement in this whole ordeal. The image of Ani in Gale Force’s arms stoked the flames of his possessiveness. “She’s a nurse for my agency. She’s my nurse.”

The thunderous man fell silent, finally turning to his fellow hero with a gaping mouth but Shouto was called away by a nurse before he could respond.

Shouto strode away, anxious to be with Ani.

The nurse showed him to Ani’s room and left him to be with her in private. He stepped inside, closing the curtain behind himself, and gently sat on the bed with her. He hated seeing her like this, hooked up to monitors and tubes of medicine. Her hands were cold.

He pulled the only chair in the room next to her bed, reminded of the night she had been attacked by his fans, and leaned onto the bed. He rested his left side against as much of her as he could and slowly warmed himself. Relief that she was safe ebbed his tide of adrenaline and he fell asleep at her side.

 

Ani woke up from the familiar feeling of a deep, regenerative sleep after an injury. Her injury! The child! Her eyes flashed open to find she was in a hospital room. She pulled out her iv and detached herself from the monitors in a rush to leave and find out what happened to the young boy. A nurse met her at the door and tried to urge her back to bed.

Shouto appeared behind the agitated nurse and Ani clung to his forearms. “It’s okay. He’s okay. He survived and he’s at home with his parents,” he offered reassuringly to her and she melted against him as he wrapped his arms around her. The nurse gave Ani a stern look and ordered her to return to bed. She became a compliant patient again now that she knew the child was alive and let Shouto lead her back to bed.

She started to ask Shouto for the story of what happened when her door was blown open and a muscular, boisterous man appeared in her room.

MISS SHIDA ANI!” His voice boomed around the small space. Ani visibly tremored, startled by the wide, manic eyes. “I am glad to see you are awake and well!

She blinked forcefully at this stranger. “I’m sorry...who are you?”

The man froze for a moment. “My name is Yoarashi Inasa; I am the person who found you at the scene of the attack!

“Oh!” Ani bowed her head. “Thank you, kind sir! I am grateful you found us and hope you weren’t hurt! I would hate for a kind volunteer to be injured trying to help.” She scanned his hulking form only for injuries and didn’t see any. Her eyes returned to his face, brows furrowing. The man looked like he had been struck by something; shock and embarrassment covered his features.

I--I am the great pro-hero GALE FORCE!” He raised a hand and a gust of wind whirled around the small room, tossing dangling tubes and cords.

“Oh,” Ani said with polite indifference. “Nice to meet you.”

Shouto didn’t trust himself not to laugh and knew he was sporting at least a wicked smirk, if not more. He rested his head in his hands, turning his face to the floor.

“Thank you again, for finding me,” Ani said with an equal amount of sincerity. Gale Force was unsure of how to react to the unpassionate response. He started to stutter, interrupted by the doctor who knocked and let himself into the room. He shooed Gale Force out into the hall.

“All good news so far,” he told Ani. “Your injuries have completely healed. We’d like to take an MRI to make sure there’s no internal damage to your brain but beyond that everything else looks good. As long as that scan comes back clean, you’ll be good to go.”

“Thank you, doctor,” Ani said. After he left she turned to Shouto. “I’m sorry about all this.” She gestured to her hospital-gown covered body. “This isn’t the kind of vacation I wanted you to have.”

“Sorry?” He asked incredulously. “Ani...you never cease to amaze me. You saved that boy...and you’re okay. I’m happy just being with you.” He took her hand in his. “I am so honored to be your boyfriend.”

She blushed and looked down at her lap. “Thanks.”

 

Several hours later Ani was released, completely back to normal. The sun was already dipping toward the horizon as they returned to their room and they decided to watch it set from their hot tub. Shouto was content.

After a shower they ordered room service and were about to sit down and eat when Shouto’s phone rang. It cut through the soft music and Ani had a sinking suspicion it would be for an incident. She waited to start eating as he listened to the caller, a seriousness falling over his face.

“Who was that?” she asked when he returned to her.

He sighed. “The police are investigating the wild animal attacks that have been happening recently, including the one last night.” He waited, hating what he had to say next. “They asked for my help.”

“When do you go?” Ani asked, taking his hand.

“Tonight. There’s a suspect they want to question who lives around the mountain.” He entwined his fingers with hers. “I’m so sorry, Ani.”

She smiled, no hint of hurt or objection in her face. "Just come back safely, okay?”

“Of course,” he said and pulled her in for a kiss.

Her stomach rumbled. “Do you have time to eat with me?” she asked.

“Yes.” He smiled.

When it was time for him to go leave, she walked him to the suite door and gave him a deep, greedy kiss. “I’ll see you soon...”

“I’ll let you know when I’m on my way home.” He cupped her cheek and placed one more kiss on her lips. “Relax while I’m gone. Enjoy your time here.”

She sighed watching his tight backside walk away knowing it would be a little less fun without him.

 

Ani woke up in the night. Moonlight cast long shadows across the dark suite and the clock on the bedside table told her it was very early in the morning in angry, red numbers. She sat up, rubbing her head in worry of what could have woken her as her eyes scanned the suite. Shouto stood at the window in the lounge; a statue staring out over the snowy mountain shining under the moon. She quietly climbed out of bed.

“Sho?” she asked as she joined him at the window. He blinked heavily and looked up from his heavy train of thought.

“Hey,” he said turning to her. “I’m sorry to wake you.”

She shook her head sleepily. “Don’t be.” She yawned. His eyes drifted back outside. “Sho...what’s wrong?”

He crossed his arms, hesitant to look at her. “Do you...think I’m boring?”

“No...” She answered earnestly. Her brow dipped. “Why?”

His arm muscles flexed slightly. “The pro-hero you met in the hospital...”

“Gale Force?” Ani prompted.

“Yes.” He sighed. “I’ve crossed paths with him before...when we were both in school...And seeing him reminded me of those experiences.”

“He went to UA?” Ani asked with a note of surprise in her voice.

Shouto shook his head. “Shiketsu.” When Ani looked perplexed he added “they’re nicknamed ‘UA of the west.’”

“Oh, okay.” She shrugged.

A smile hinted at the corner of his lips from her indifference. “Sorry, it’s nothing.” He turned to her, ready to encourage her back to bed but she put her hands on his arms, gently stopping him.

“Sho...it’s not nothing.” She ran her knuckles across his cheek and his eyes closed, leaning into her touch. When his eyes opened, they glowed intently at her. “I’m here.”

He took her hand and led her to the couch. They sat together in the moonlight as Shouto told Ani all about the precious brats and everything about his experience in the hero licensing course. Ani listened patiently, attentively, and gave Shouto a chance to talk about it as he hadn’t had before.

“Sho...All of that was a long time ago.” She leaned against him. “You’ve learned so much...grown so much...it’s okay to remember those times. But don’t let yourself forget who you have become.” She yawned heavily, weight slowly sinking into him. “I’ve never thought...you were boring...”

The first light of dawn touched the sky and Ani’s soft snores were the only sounds in their large suite. Shouto smiled down at her sleeping form and was grateful the investigation in the mountains wrapped up so quickly. A deranged hermit altering animals, recently resorting to coaxing pets out of town in an attempt to create companions. He surrendered quickly with little violence and relented sincerely; a story not worth dissecting with Ani as this one they had talked about. He faced the rising sun, peaceful and content.

 

The next time Ani woke up she was in bed, draped across Shouto’s bare chest. She savored the rise and fall with each of his sleeping breaths and couldn’t imagine anywhere else she’d rather be. She drifted in and out of sleep until he woke up in the late morning.

Kisses replaced morning conversation and the few pieces of clothing they wore were quickly shed. Ani straddled him and watched how his eyes rolled back into his head when she sank down onto his length. She gently rocked her hips and he matched her pace, jabbing up into her cervix with every thrust. His hands came up to her hips and she grabbed his wrists to bring them up to her chest. She pressed his hands into her flesh as they began to change temperature. She was clenching, now, with every roll of their hips and Shouto dropped his right hand adding a frigid touch to where their bodies met. Ani’s head fell back with a lewd moan. She climaxed; he came.

Ani lowered herself onto his bare body and they lingered in a post-coital haze until Ani’s stomach growled. They were showered and dressed by the time their room-service breakfast was delivered and started to talk about what they might want to do for the rest of the day. Tomorrow they would be going home.

They looked through the spa services and Ani thoroughly enjoyed Shouto’s reactions to all the things offered. Body treatments, facials, massages. Ani’s sides began to ache from laughing with his confused, repulsed responses to the descriptions but he finally agreed to try a couple’s massage and enjoyed it more than he thought he would.

They spent the evening in the private onsen reserved with their room, had dinner delivered as the sun set, and returned to the hot water under a starry sky.

Ani sighed. “I can’t believe we have to go back tomorrow.” She looked up at him with a playful pout. “Can’t we hide away here forever?”

He leaned in and gave her a tender kiss. “I would happily hide away with you if the world was going to be safe.” He hugged her, steam rising into the cold night air around them. “So...my physician, am I allowed to go back to work?”

“Well...” a guilty pink tinted her cheeks.

“What?” he asked, heart racing at the unusual libidinous glint in her eye.

She bit her lip and looked up at him under her eyelashes. “You have to have your follow-up exam before I can clear you to return...” She could feel his body responding to the hint in her voice and led him out of the onsen.

Once they were back in the suite she shyly pulled something out of her suitcase and dashed into the bathroom. “Wait out here,” she instructed and closed the door.

His pants were uncomfortably tight as he did as he was told and sat on the bed. Anticipation was building and when Ani opened the door his mouth parted, eyes darkened. She stepped out in a sexy nurse costume, face flushed but came to stand in front of him. He drank in the plunging neckline that revealed round sides of her breasts, the skin-tight fabric that was practically see-through and barely covered her ass, and the white, thigh-high stockings.

“Now, Todoroki Shouto.” She slowly pushed him down onto the bed. “Be a good patient for this examination...and maybe it’ll have a happy ending."

Notes:

Health and happiness to you and your loved ones during your holiday and into the new year! Nothing else new for the main story right now. Thanks for coming back to read :)

 

*Made an edit. Realized I called Shiketsu UA of the east...idk what I was thinking lol

Chapter 80: Wine About It

Notes:

For fuck's sake, I'm a DUMBASS. I got completely mixed up and skipped this chapter which introduces several of those characters I named from what is now Chapter 81...yeah that was probably confusing as fuck. Sorry!

For context, this happens the same Saturday as when Bakugo and Hansha had lunch at Aino's, see Chapter 77. *Slaps Forehead* Got totally messed up with everything. Hope it's still fun reading.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Jireta swirled the glass in her hand and watched how the red liquid coated the inside. According to Ryoshi you could test the quality of a wine like this.

Sure. As if it mattered. The wine was red, that was about all she cared about. Her daughter was out for the night staying at some friends house and Jireta had asked her husband to come home early from work so they could make a date night out of it. It was Saturday night, after all. She hadn’t told him about the discovery of her quirk yet and was hoping to share it with him tonight. If he actually came home.

She brought her wine into the bathroom looking at her reflection. She looked old. Older than she felt, at least. There were new wrinkles every day and the dark bags under her eyes seemed permanent. And how long had her hair looked so ratty? She took a deep swig of the wine, wondering what her new friends were doing tonight.

She hadn't seen Rua or Ryoshi again in person since hanging out at the club, but she had been texting with Ryoshi back and forth all week. It was nice to have someone to talk to for a change. Someone curious about the happenings in her general life despite the dull nature of days. Ryoshi, who had seemed cold and stand-offish at first, was starting to open up with Jireta, confiding in the difficulties of missing her girl-friend on a daily basis. It only made Jireta more committed to helping the woman find her significant other. Their relationship sounded so happy, so strong, and it seemed like a crime that it was destroyed when there were so few good relationships left in the world.

Jireta tried pursing her lips at herself, lifting her hair, seeing if there was some angle that made her look different. Maybe she wasn't attractive enough to her husband anymore? She couldn’t remember the last time they kissed let alone fucked. She sighed and let her sad, mousy hair flump down with a dejected look on her face. She emptied her glass in one long, smooth swig.

The warmth burned down through the center of her and the alcohol hit her empty stomach like a freight train. She licked her lips feeling a woozy relaxation trickle through her. Digging through the cabinets in her bathroom she pulled out makeup that she long-ago gave up using on a daily basis. The brightest, richest red lipstick she had illuminated her lips making them look plump...and the rest of her ashen. She started applying layers of makeup, muscle memory taking over, tweezing and tweaking across the neglected planes of her face until the counter and sink were splattered with dusts. She set her tools down and looked back at herself. She looked...different. A version of herself that wasn’t necessarily younger or more beautiful, just...different.

Her phone bleeped from the living room and she maneuvered back to it in her tipsy state with the hope it was her husband, that he was finally heading home!

Nope. It was Ryoshi. Jireta was crestfallen as she read.

 

Where did your husband take you tonight?...Better be somewhere good.

 

What would Ryoshi think of Jireta that her own husband wasn’t interested in a date enough to stop working? Jireta chewed on her lip tasting the claggy lipstick. She decided to try with a light-hearted answer. She refilled her wine glass and took a selfie on the couch, glass held up without any text.

 

Are you kidding me? He hasn’t taken you out yet?!

 

Jireta’s heart glowed at the defensive reaction from her friend. She took a sip of her wine and let it fuel the warmth she was feeling. So this was what it was like to have that friend who gets upset on your behalf!! Before Jireta could respond Ryoshi sent another message.

 

You look good by the way. If he doesn‘t take you out, I’m going to.

 

Jireta was swishing wine around her mouth when she read it and had to stop herself from spitting it out. Her face was on fire, heart throbbing in the possibility of what Ryoshi was saying.

 

As a friend, of course.

 

Jireta sighed in relief at the clarifying text and finally sent her response.

 

If he doesn’t come home in the next fifteen minutes I’m taking you up on that 😉

 

Good. I’ll be waiting.

 

Jireta rose from the couch suddenly on a mission and went to her bedroom. She started looking through her clothes with excitement tingling through her veins. Someone might actually want to see her! And she wasn’t going to make the same mistake she made when she went out with Ryoshi to the club. She was going to dress up. Well. As much as she could with her meager inventory.

She was pulling on a pair of black jeans when she heard the front door open; she couldn’t help the disappointment that punctured her heart. Without realizing it she had actually been hoping her husband would blow her off. His briefcase thumped down and his heavy steps narrated his approach to their room. Jireta resisted the urge to hide her bra-covered chest, hoping perhaps seeing her like this might stir something in him.

“Hey Jiri,” he mumbled as he shuffled into the room. He nodded his head in her direction with nothing more than a cursory glance, not noticing or not caring she was topless.

“Hey,” she said warmly, trying to wait as he unknotted his tie and pulled it out from the collar of his shirt. “How was work?”

He huffed and rubbed his forehead. “Finally starting to calm down. I told you that woman came to UA yesterday, right? The person they want to replace Recovery Girl?”

“Oh, no. You didn’t,” Jireta said but he didn’t acknowledge her answer.

“Well get this,” he met her eyes, still too focused on his story to notice her half-dressed state. “She’s Todoroki Shouto’s girlfriend." He made an awed scoffing sound and ran his hands through his hair. “I mean...no wonder they’ve been going crazy with paperwork and preparations to make this girl a job offer.”

Jireta felt a lump forming in her throat and tried to ignore the dark feelings plaguing her heart. “Is, uh, is she that talented?”

“Yeah.” His eyes unfocused. “Hearing about all of her work, it makes sense why Recovery Girl wants her. Nezu, too. And it’s not just that she’s talented. She’s so kind, too. You know how Shouto declined the traditional number-one-honorary dinner?” He didn’t wait for a response. “That was on her suggestion. And she didn’t even admit it. I overheard Shouto crediting the idea to her when he was talking to some of the faculty. All the money that was going to be used to put that fancy award show was donated to the children’s hospital.”

“Wow,” Jireta said numbly. The lump was sinking into her gut. She could feel her self-confidence caving in as her husband spoke with such reverence about another successful woman and the look of awe clouding his eyes mixed with his lack of awareness toward her sent acid up the back of her throat. Then her phone beeped. Jireta’s spiraling thoughts halted at the notification on her screen and she was reminded that she didn’t have to suffer like this.

She wasn’t a bystander in this world anymore.

She shifted her gaze to her husband as he stood in front of his closet, pulling off his clothes. For the past few days she had been exercising her quirk. Going out in public and messing around with people. She was getting used to it now and she was beginning to understand the applications of a quirk like hers. Influencing the confidence of those around her could make her invisible if other thought themselves so much better...or...she could make them cower with nothing so much as a glance if she brought them down enough.

“She sounds really amazing,” Jireta noted. Staring at the back of her husband’s head she channeled the stream toward him and his posture began to shift. “No wonder UA wants her.”

“Well...you know they’ll only hire the best.”

The corner of Jireta’s mouth twitched. “Of course...” She kept the energy flowing, increasing in intensity, and knew he was starting to feel good about himself. Better than good. And the better he thought of himself, the less interested in her she knew he would be. Afterall...if he thought he was so amazing...he would think he deserved someone better than her.

He never noticed her anyway.

Still warm with all the wine, Jireta turned back to her own clothes and fit a tight, shiny shirt over her chest that squished her cleavage dramatically. She slipped into the one pair of heels she owned as she opened the text message. Sure enough, it was from Ryoshi. Jireta accepted the woman’s offer to take her out in place of her husband and left the room as he was going into the bathroom.

“Headed out?” He asked with an uninterested glance over his shoulder.

“Yepp, going out.” She paused, giving him one last chance to say something, do something to show any interest in making a connection with her. And when he gave her nothing more than a grunt and closed door in response Jireta felt a nasty resentment fossilizing the end of affection she held for her husband.

She turned and left feeling angry, buzzed, and reckless.

 

“Dagoben?” Jireta asked from Ryoshi’s front seat as they pulled away from the curb.

Ryoshi nodded. “You need a night out. A real night away from it all.”

“But why Dagoben?” Jireta felt a mixing pulse of anxiety and excitement at the prospect.

“I have some friends there. It’ll be fun to see them and they’ll show us a good time.” Ryoshi watched Jireta from the corner of her eye.

Jireta pursed her lips. “Alright...” she shrugged, blowing off caution. “Let’s do it.”

Ryoshi grinned—the first full smile Jireta had ever seen on the woman and there was a darkness to it that would have made Jireta cower not so long ago. But now...there was something alluring about the tint of danger...Jireta was starting to feel alive. And she wanted more.

 

 

Jireta watched in awe as the skyline of Dagoben approached. It was closer than she realized—not that her husband ever suggested visiting—and she stared wide-eyed out the window as they rolled through the massive skyscrapers. The city was an eclectic quilt of skyscrapers and neighborhoods and as large as Musutafu. No wonder the number one and number three top pros lived in this city alone. Seedy life seemed to dance in the shadows of every unlit alleyway and, for once, Jireta found herself curious instead of afraid.

She rode in a comfortable silence with Ryoshi as they made their way through the city until Ryoshi parked along a street. Shops lined the sidewalks from restaurants to convenience stores. On the surface it looked like a normal neighborhood, much like her own but as Ryoshi led her down the sidewalk Jireta began to notice details that made a difference, bars over windows and flashing neon signs half-burned out. Sale signs pasted over sale signs and a faint smell she couldn’t quite describe.

Ryoshi turned abruptly and slipped inside a door between a late-night liquor store and a second-hand dōjin shop. Sirens echoed not too far away as Jireta closed the door behind her and followed Ryoshi up the stairs and down a carpeted hallway to an angry-brown metal door. She felt foolish for dressing like she did as they waited in the musty hall until the door opened to reveal a spectacularly decorated apartment.

“RYO!” A young woman in a sequin-covered dress crowed in the doorway and pulled the scaly-skinned woman in with a tight hug. Ryoshi hugged her back, lifting her off the floor and spun her around mixing the copper of her hair with the silky black of her friend, and set her down.

“Mako, this is my friend, Jireta,” Ryoshi said gesturing to the door at the awkward woman still waiting in the hall.

“Jireta, it’s so nice to meet you!” Mako said taking the newcomers hands in a rush and pulling her into the apartment. Jireta relaxed at the warm welcome.

“It’s nice to meet you, too, Mako.” Jireta’s eyes roamed unabashedly at the magical strings of lights twinkling behind drapes of fabric that hung across the walls and made the space seem bigger and yet cozy at the same time. Mako didn’t let go of her hand as she led her into the warm space.

“Ryoshi never comes to visit us anymore," Mako said with a playful admonishing to her friend and a sultry flicker of her eyes to Jireta. “Although I can see why.”

Jireta blushed and gulped as a woman sitting in a pile of pillows looked up at her with a cocked eyebrow. “It didn’t take you long,” she sourly said to Ryoshi.

Ryoshi rolled her eyes. “It’s not like that.”

“I’m married,” Jireta said and lifted her left hand only in defense of Ryoshi. She watched copper-haired friend sink onto the futon next to a plain looking man. There was a glint to Ryoshi’s eye as she gave Jireta a subtle glance to the room.

Right. Jireta had a quirk now...she didn’t have to worry about putting people off or feeling bad about herself. Unlike the direct stream she unleashed on her husband at home Jireta started to let out her quirk in a gentle, invisible mist, altering the atmosphere positively across the board as Mako squeezed her hand.

“Let me introduce you to everyone,” she said and gestured to the woman in the corner who had already seemed less grumpy. “This bump-on-a-log is Namika. Don’t let her bother you...she’s been in love with Ryoshi since university and can get a bit jealous.”

“Hey!” Namika protested but her edges had softened, tone not as hostile.

Mako moved on to the much younger woman stretched out along another futon. “That dramatic fixture is Sekitsui.”

She eyed Jireta up-and-down with the judgment of a high schooler. Jireta tried to contain her surprise; the girl looked like she had only just graduated.

“I graduated two years ago, if that's what you're trying to figure out," Sekitsui smugly offered, resting her head on her hands. Jireta didn’t want to think about how much closer this young woman was to her daughter in age.

“Though she’s a lot more mature than her age would suggest,” Ryoshi offered with a sly glance to Sekitsui who grinned.

“Aww, thanks mom,” the brazen youth said and swatted at Ryoshi’s leg hanging nearby.

“Ey!” Ryoshi snapped fiercely and glowered at the cackling youth.

Mako leaned into Jireta and in a rush whispered “don’t let Sekitsui touch you.” She straightened up before anyone noticed and Jireta stifled the shiver that rippled down her back. “And this handsome man is my boyfriend, Toshiro.”

“...’sup.”

Mako finally dropped Jireta’s hand and sat on her boyfriend’s lap, draping her legs across Ryoshi who didn’t seem to mind. The five friends looked up at Jireta who hesitated awkwardly until Ryoshi patted the futon next to her. Jireta joined them without hesitation.

“So, to what do we owe this pleasure of your presence tonight, ‘oshi?” Namika asked sarcastically from the corner.

“Just needed to get out of Musutafu for a night.” Ryoshi stretched her arms and rested them out along the back of the couch behind Toshiro and Jireta.

Namika grunted, turning her shrewd gaze to Jireta. “And what’s your story?”

“Oh, me?” Jireta tried to act casual and shrug. “Just tagging along. Needed to get out of the house.”

“Why is that? Thought you were married,” Sekitsui pointed out, honing in on the salacious detail with a practiced precision.

Ryoshi didn’t judge her for her failing relationship, maybe her friends wouldn’t either; Jireta gave herself a boost of confidence. “My husband’s more interested in his job than me.” She shrugged, trying to be cool. “I’m not going to sit around and let life pass me by anymore.”

“Good for you!” Mako encouraged. Toshiro wrapped his arms around her, watching Jireta closely.

“Where’s he work?” Namika asked

Jireta crossed her arms and scoffed, “UA.” She was too wrapped up in her angry disinterest in her husband’s job...She didn’t see Namika stiffen and Sekitsui look up. Even Mako glanced at Toshiro who both focused their attention to Jireta. Only Ryoshi seemed unsurprised at the information.

Sekitsui cleared her throat, casual and unimpressed. “What’s he do there?”

Jireta rolled her eyes. “He’s not even anything that special. He basically handles all of their paperwork. Student registration, staff and faculty payroll, new contract hires. All that bullshit.”

Namika’s eyes flicked between Jireta and Ryoshi with calculation and understanding. Ryoshi gave her old friend a warning look, not that Jireta noticed. She was too caught up in her own thoughts reflected in the scowl on her face.

“Sounds like some shit’s gone down, then...” Namika prodded Jireta but she was fed up with her husband. That school. And that stupid woman he was just fawning over.

Jireta folded her arms and crossed her legs. “It’s just all bullshit,” she repeated not wanting to give another moment of her life thinking about it.

“Jireta’s been...” Ryoshi said to the room dropping a hand on her new friend’s shoulder. “Going through some things lately.”

“Oh, you poor thing,” Mako said sweetly from her boyfriend’s lap. “Do you want to talk about it?”

Jireta shook her head. “No, thank you. I kind of just want to forget about it for now.”

Mako popped up from her seat. “Drinks! We need drinks!” She flashed around a kitchen counter and was pouring drinks before anyone could protest. She threw a towel at Sekitsui.

“Go get the vodka from your room.” She pointed a bottle of juice at her. “I know you snuck it out a few nights ago.”

Sekitsui grumbled as she pushed up off the couch. Something about the way Mako spoke made Jireta wonder what their relationship was exactly.

“Here we go,” Mako said as she brought in the handful of glasses and bottle of juice to the small table in the center of the sitting area. Sekitsui added the half-empty glass bottle to the table as Mako began pouring drinks. Jireta was about to speak up and say none but there was already a cup in her hand. Shit. She hadn’t seen how much vodka went into it. She sipped it, testing. It tasted more of juice than vodka and that was good. She didn’t want to end up drunk in an unfamiliar city at a stranger’s house.

“To new friends!” Mako shouted when everyone had a drink. They all clinked in and took a deep drink. The sour yet sweet juice on Jireta’s tongue was so rich that she took a bigger drink than she meant. She still hadn’t had anything to eat and the liquid hit her stomach with a relaxing burn.

Sitting next to this woman, Ryoshi, as she socialized with her friends Jireta realized she knew very little about this person. She didn’t know what she did for work or what her quirk was. She began to gulp her drink down now, thinking she was crazy to have come here with someone she didn’t know at all. She tried to listen in and glean what details she could but the conversation was woefully undescriptive.

“You didn’t know?” Namika asked Ryoshi with a sad inflection. “We haven’t seen or heard from Henna since her last job.”

“What?” Ryoshi leaned forward, setting her drink down as stress tightened her posture. “How is that possible?”

Namika shrugged. “Nobody knows. She went off to help those people...That...that league—.” She stopped when Ryoshi gave her a cutting glance that Jireta didn’t understand.

Sekitsui giggled. “Wasn’t that a job you set up for her?”

“Yes...” Ryoshi’s expression paled. “I did. But she went back to her other job after that. I know she did.”

“Yeah, but clearly you don’t know the rumor about who visited her when she went back to that job?” Namika challenged, swirling the drink in her glass. She looked down at the liquid in a borderline arrogant-dismissive way. “You’ve been gone for a while ‘oshi.”

Ryoshi’s expression darkened and through clenched teeth she said “I’ve been preoccupied.”

“Yeah, clearly.” Namika looked at Jireta.

Ryoshi slowly stood up, fists clenched, and seemed to cast the whole room in shadow. “Tell me what I don’t know, then. What is this rumor.”

Namika couldn’t meet her friend’s eye. “Two guys went in to see her. And while they were there...the room got sealed up with ice.” She drained the rest of her cup and finally brought her gaze up to Ryoshi’s tense face. “Anyone you can think of who could do that?”

Toshiro whistled, low and cutting, speaking for the first time since Jireta came. “A pro hero goes into a strip club and nobody hears about it?”

Mako sighed. “There wasn’t any proof. None of the patrons were going to admit to seeing or hearing anything. And the girls were so scared shitless they didn’t want to come forward as witnesses either.” She shrugged. “There wasn’t enough meat to the story to convince a news station to go against a hero.”

You?” Sekitsui asked with a flash of anger. “You tried to report it?!”

Mako gave the young girl a gentle expression. “I know how you feel about him, little sis, but he’s not as pure and good as people make him out to be.”

Jireta caught the affectionate title—so they were sisters.

Sekitsui opened her mouth to retort but Ryoshi interjected. “What happened. To Henna.”

Mako finished her drink. “After the pro paid her a visit she skipped out on work.”

“We tried to get a hold of her. Even went to her place but it was deserted.” Namika leaned back against the wall, staring at the ceiling. “We haven’t heard from her since. We don’t know if she’s just hiding, waiting until everything’s over, or if...” Namika lowered her gaze. “If she’s dead.”

Jireta gasped reflexively and covered her mouth. Her head was spinning with alcohol and everything she just heard. Five sets of eyes flicked to her shocked face as if they’d forgotten she was there.

“I’m so...I’m so sorry about your friend,” she croaked, trying to say something.

Ryoshi sat down, lost in dark thoughts. “It’s...alright.”

“No, it’s not alright!” Jireta protested feeling a swell of emotion for this new and important person in her life. “First you lose your girlfriend and now you’ve lost another friend. It’s not right!” She put her glass down with such force that the little drink left almost splashed out. “It’s these arrogant pro-heroes! Strutting about as if they own the whole world!”

Oh no.

She could feel the alcohol setting her own feelings free, mixing with this horrible news.

“Hurting people who are just trying to live their lives and not having to pay any consequences! As if they’re a gift to the world! Them and their significant others—” she angrily slurred the words “—praised as if they’re gods and goddesses! It’s disgusting! And infuriating.” She sat back, fuming.

Namika’s brow raised. “Significant...others...”

It didn’t take much prompting to keep Jireta going. “Yes! These damn attention whores getting together with a pro only to get in the spotlight and further their own career!”

Sekitsui’s eyes filled with dark pools of hunger as she added fuel to the fire. “I bet she’s not even that good-looking?”

“She’s not!” Jireta snapped in agreement. “Ugly as bitch who thinks she’s so hot. So smart. Just struts around to make the rest of us feel bad.”

Mako and Namika met their old friend’s conniving stare as Jireta ranted.

“I’m sorry...who are we talking about?” Toshiro asked with evident boredom.

Jireta rolled her eyes and crossed her legs, foot angrily bouncing. “Fucking Todoroki Shouto’s girlfriend.

Sekitsui salivated at the name. “How do you know her?”

“I don’t,” Jireta answered without meeting anyone’s eye. “My husband does. She’s interviewing for a job at UA and that’s all he can talk about.”

“You mean...” Toshiro thought out loud with a strange tone to his voice. “...Shida...Ani?”

“Yes, that’s why he’s been working so much lately. To impress her,” Jireta said and huffed through flared nostrils, trying to calm down. “Rua has it all right, you know.” She looked at Ryoshi from the corner of her eye. “We really don’t need them anymore.” The atmosphere in the room shifted, confidence rolling off Jireta uncontrollably in her tipsy state.

Ryoshi’s brow lifted in surprise. She asked “you really think so?”

“I do,” Jireta asserted.

Cautiously Ryoshi asked “...would you have felt the same way a few weeks ago?”

Jireta’s arms slowly fell uncrossed as she considered the question. Everyone around her fell quiet with curiosity. “I...I don’t know.”

Ryoshi rested a hand on Jireta’s thigh. “Admittedly, it doesn’t really matter to me...After all, did any of them go beyond and care for you when you thought you were quirkless?”

“Quirkless?!” Namika and Mako nearly shouted at the same time. Sekitsui was silent, completely entranced.

Jireta ignored their reactions and looked back on how she felt not so long ago. “No, none of them. No one ever noticed me...” She looked at Ryoshi with such reverence and gratitude the whole room felt it. “Except you.”

“And I’m glad I did,” Ryoshi brushed Jireta’s hair back behind her ear.

A comfortable quiet settled between them for a long moment.

“What the fuck is going on?” Namika asked bluntly.

Ryoshi tore her gaze away from Jireta’s flushed expression of adoration. “Jireta and I met recently...and she didn’t know she had a quirk.”

“What?” Sekitsui asked incredulously. “How is that even possible?!”

Jireta bit her lip building up her own confidence. “I never noticed because I was always using it on myself...never realizing.”

“Interesting,” Mako whispered and leaned forward.

“What do you mean?” Namika asked, eyes narrowing.

Blushing, Jireta explained “I can manipulate the confidence of the people around me. Make them feel really good about themselves. Or really bad.”

Namika’s brow raised, instantly understanding the practical applications of a quirk like that. “So you always felt badly about yourself....?” She guessed.

Jireta nodded. “I always thought I was just a shitty person...that no one wanted to be around me because I was crap. But now...I don’t know. I think I’ve just been holding myself back.”

“How do you know you’re not just really bad at thinking positive thoughts?” Sekitsui asked cynically.

Jireta looked to the couch and directed her quirk at the young woman with devastating intentions. Sekitsui’s expression fell instantly. Jireta kept her thoughts spiraling downward until Sekitsui looked like she was going to be sick and then sky-rocketed her confidence with tangible effects. Sekitsui sat up staring wide-eyed at Jireta.

“Holy shit...” Sekitsui muttered, eyes dazed.

Mako climbed out of Toshiro’s lap—his thoughts were preoccupied—and sat next to her sister. “Are you okay?” She waved her hands in front of Sekitsui’s face.

The young woman blinked purposefully as Jireta pulled back her quirk. “Yeah...that’s insane...”

“And you just discovered you can do this?” Namika asked.

Jireta shrugged. “I did. With Ryoshi’s help.”

Namika settled back into the pile of pillows and covered her mouth. The whole room seemed lost in thought.

Ryoshi broke the wondering silence first. "Jireta has kindly offered to help us get Hogo Back.”

The three women’s heads turned, looking first at Ryoshi then Jireta.

“Why?” Sekitsui asked in disbelief.

“Because of what Ryoshi’s done for me.” Jireta took her friend’s scaly hand, heart skipping a beat at the physical contact. “She’s set me free from my life...from myself.” She looked around at the people she hoped were her new friends. “And I want to repay that. I want to help find her girlfriend...and...The people who hurt her...I want to make those people pay.

“And how much, exactly, are you willing to do to get back at those people?” Mako asked warily.

“Whatever it takes,” Jireta earnestly answered.

Namika leaned forward, studying Jireta. “What if those people...were pros?”

Jireta looked inside her heart and felt nothing. Nothing but determination. “They have to learn their place.”

A slow grin spread across Sekitsui. “...and their...significant others?”

Jireta felt hatred bubbling in her soul. “They deserve the same fate.”

Something changed with those words. As if they were testing Jireta, the three women nodded with looks of approval at Jireta. And Ryoshi?...The copper-haired woman seemed to relax, satisfied with the exchange between her friends. Without saying a word Toshiro rose from the couch and left the room. Mako was the only one who seemed bothered by this; she followed after him.

Namika took his spot on the futon next to Ryoshi and whispered something to her old friend. Jireta glanced at the bottles still on the table and poured herself another drink. Maybe a little more vodka than she really needed but she was feeling good and didn’t want the feeling to end. She didn’t want this night to end. There was something inviting and invigorating about this group of people...like something was going to happen and the anticipation lit Jireta’s nerves on fire.

Sekitsui slouched over the end of her futon leaning toward Jireta. “So...you really hate all the pros?”

Jireta lifted her nose. “I think they’ve become irrelevant."

“But Shouto’s soo dreamy...don’t you think?” Sekitsui said with stars in her eyes.

“You’ll have to forgive our youngest member, here,” Ryoshi offered. “She has a bit of a crush on the number one hero.”

Namika snorted. “Crush? She’s absolutely obsessed with him. Has been for year.”

Sekitsui pursed her lips. “Can you blame me, though? Pro-hero or not he’s nice to look at.”

“You know he’s the reason Hogo’s gone, right...” Namika reminded with a glance at Ryoshi. “And it’s kind of shit that you’re talking about him like he’s a god?”

“Ooouu, come on,” Sekitsui crooned as she slid back down onto the futon she had to herself. “You know I don’t mean it that way....” she threw an apologetic glance at Ryoshi. “Sorry, though...’oshi.”

Ryoshi shrugged. “Soon it won’t matter.”

Jireta kept drinking to silence the small voice in the back of her head telling her she must be crazy to think she could somehow be part of a revenge plan on the number one hero. She was done caring.

Before their quiet conversation could continue, they heard Mako’s voice rising from a back room.

“Because you’ve been weird ever since we mentioned her name!”

Toshiro’s words were muffled but his tone was rough.

“This is exactly what we mean!” Mako nearly screamed. “She was a random coworker of yours from years ago and you’re putting her needs above ours!”

Toshiro’s voice rose. “I thought you were better than this!”

“So now it’s my fault that you’re defending her!” Mako shrieked.

A door swung open angrily and Toshiro stormed out of the apartment without saying anything or looking at anyone. He slammed the door behind himself.

After a few moments of jagged silence Mako joined them in the living room, arms wrapped around herself.

“Mako...” Namika was at her side. Ryoshi and Sekitsui were standing.

She sniffled. “He...” She covered her face, trying not to cry.

“What happened?” Ryoshi asked as Namika took the woman in her arms.

Mako cleared her throat. “He...he said Shida was actually a really good person and didn’t deserve any sort of punishment.” Namika squeezed her friend.

“He sounds like another doe-eyed fan-boy,” Jireta scoffed.

Sekitsui snarled. “I can’t wait to ruin this bitch.”

Ryoshi looked around the room. “Who’s ready to make a plan?”

Notes:

Welp, if you already read Chapter 81 when I posted it before this one the surprise is kinda ruined. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chapter 81: Into the Night

Notes:

About 2 months after the family lunch with Bakugo / Jireta's night out.

 

Edit--I wrongly posted this early. Please make sure you go back and read chapter 80 so the seemingly rando characters in this chapter make a little more sense. Sorry about that!

Chapter Text

Good. Keep going. Elbows in, fists up. Keep your face covered. Good.

Ani circled the punching bag, hearing the Todoroki Agency’s personal trainer’s voice replaying in her mind. She’d taken to staying late to work out when Shouto was out on night rounds. Most of the office was empty at this time, everyone either home or out on patrols, and Ani could exercise in peace. Whether she was working with the personal trainer or practicing on her own, she knew it gave Shouto stress to see her training like this. She tried explaining her feelings to him...the anxiety she felt every time she saw that orange-haired woman, Rua, on television or featured in a print interview. There was something about the woman’s air of righteousness that struck Ani to her core with fear. No matter how she tried she couldn’t reason it out to Shouto. He finally stopped trying to convince her nothing would happen and supported her decision to properly fight and defend herself again. He was the one to originally suggest it so long ago after all. Though he supported her she could still see the strain and worry across his features when he saw her working so hard at this.

The thought she might face a situation where she needed these skills pained him more than he could say. Ani didn’t want to face a situation like that either...but she refused to be unprepared again. So to cause him the least amount of stress possible, and give herself the atmosphere to focus, she trained while he was out on rounds.

And there had been plenty to keep Shouto out on rounds.

Over the past three months since Ani’s return the public was becoming increasingly polarized about the presence of heroes in their society. Demonstrations in support of or calling for sanctions on heroes had become a weekly occurrence in both Dagoben and Musutafu, almost as often in other cities, too, keeping the number one hero on his toes.

Both branches of the Todoroki Agency were in a constant state of motion responding to incidents uncovered during their rounds and going out on specific calls all over the two cities. The demands rippled through every department. The more the heroes worked, the more payroll, legal, and the support teams worked. And the more everyone worked, the more susceptible they were to injuries, burn-out, and other wide varieties of illness which kept the clinics at both branches busy as well. As the pace of work in each branch picked up Ani hired help: a registered nurse and nurse’s assistant in each branch. It gave her the flexibility she needed to bounce between branches, acting more as a supervisor and tending to the more serious injuries.

This meant Ani could travel with Shouto. Their time together was steadily decreasing as the volume of work picked up for him—and her. For everyone. And Ani tried to maximize whatever time she could get with him which included alternating between their home in Dagoben and new apartment in Musutafu.

With every punch of Ani’s gloved fist into the punching bag she tried to work through her frustrations. She was hardly helping any sick or injured people anymore. She was pushing herself to restock the supply of her blood-treatments feeling like that was the only thing she was really doing for anyone.

Pow. Punch, punch. Jab.

Her arms burned, sweat beaded down her back. She felt each snap of her arms and the impact of her fists on the bag. She wasn’t sure how long she had been at it now but she could feel the callouses building up on her knuckles even though she had gloves on.

She wove up and down, imagining an opponent and dodging their blows.

Pow, pow. Jab.

The balls of her feet were on fire. She forced herself to move quicker trying to dodge the stressful thoughts that were coming at her now.

The intensity of the job.

Diminished gratification from her work.

Public comments.

Scrutiny of the agencies and the stress it caused.

A growing sense of unease.

Limited, almost non-existent time with her boyfriend.

Ani’s hair was messy and matted down to her forehead with sweat and she tried to keep going through that last thought. The one that made all the others so much harder. She couldn’t remember what their life had been like before she was kidnapped and that was probably for the best. She missed him so much as it was and if she could remember a time when he wasn’t so busy it would have made this time more painful.

She missed his touch. Their physical time together was intense—which was enjoyable—but it was driven by the scarcity of opportunities to be that way together. She craved his presence. Just being around him...it was different now. Things were always on his mind. She missed his thoughtful gestures and attention. She rarely had time to do things for him, too, feeling like a distraction from problems he couldn’t or simply wouldn’t talk to her about.

Her feet had stopped moving now. She was punching back and forth, straight and hard, into the same spot on the bag hoping the fire in her muscles would burn up the feelings she had. She was wracked with guilt over her feelings because Shouto had achieved his dream! Punch, punch, punch with every thought. He was the number one hero! How could she possibly be thinking things like this?! Wanting him to be around more would cut into his work, threatening his rank! She didn’t want to take anything away from his dream, his career, everything he worked his whole life for!

Punch punch harder harder

She was selfish.

Harder! Punch!

Needy.

Punch!

Jealous and Possessive.

Punch Punch

CRACK

Ani cried out as the metacarpal of her middle finger fractured. She instantly clutched her gloved fist to her chest, a different kind of fire searing through her hand now. The sudden pain mixed with burdened thoughts and feelings overwhelmed her, crashing down with her adrenaline until she sank to the floor, cradling her injured hand.

She was so grateful no one else was in the gym to see her as she curled over, crying. So much had happened in the past three months. And, clearly, she was still dealing with it. Wincing, she gently pulled the gloves off but left the tape, not wanting to agitate the now-healing fracture.

She slumped back against the wall in the corner of the gym succumbing to the almost soothing pull of sleep.

 

The floor fell away and Ani’s eyes flew open, body tensing.

“Hey, it’s just me.” The quiet rumble of Shouto’s voice rolled through her and she looked up at his tired face, relaxing in his arms. Her head fell against his chest. He hadn’t changed or showered yet after getting back but Ani didn’t care; she hadn’t either.

“Hey,” she sleepily murmured into him. “You’re back sooner than I thought.”

She missed the way his brow dipped in confusion. “Ani...it’s 4:00am...”

“What?!” Her eyes popped open again as Shouto carried her into the elevator. She set her feet down and looked around in confusion; she’d slept in the gym all night.

“What time did you think it was?”

“I don’t know...midnight maybe?” She rubbed her hair and felt the tape pulling tightly on her skin.

“You must have been tired, I’m sorry I didn’t get back sooner.” Shouto took her hand in his and began unwrapping the tape.

"Don't be sorry! It’s not your responsib—” Her response was cut short as she gasped through clenched teeth and yanked her hand back to her chest.

Shouto’s face clouded with concern and Ani could see he guessed she fell asleep there because she got hurt. “Ani...what happened?”

She looked away guiltily, mentally berating herself for adding any kind of stress on him. “Nothing. It’s fine now.”

The elevator dinged, doors opening, but neither of them moved.

“Ani.” Shouto’s voice was tight. Pained.

She couldn’t look at him, still bubbling with everything she’d been feeling the night before.

The elevator doors started to close but his arm flew out, holding them open. He took her good hand and led her through his office here in Musutafu, almost an exact replica of his office in Dagoben, into the bathroom. Once the door was closed behind them, he gingerly took her hand and went back to unwrapping the tape with a delicate affection.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered.

His fingers paused and eyes flicked to her face. Incredulously he asked “why? What could you be sorry for?”

She blinked away a few tears. “You have so much to deal with right now...”

She watched his face, a sadness hollowing his eyes. There was something in his expression that told her he wanted to do this. He pulled the last bit of tape off and gently sandwiched her hands between his.

“...I can’t stand it, you know...”

Ani’s heart stuttered at his words. “...can’t stand what?”

He forced a lump out of his throat and met her gaze. “The little time I have to be with you.”

“Shouto,” Ani began to protest but he shook his head.

“It kills me...” he struggled for the words. “To be gone for so long. To be so distracted and worn-out when I’m finally back...this position is not what I imagined.”

“You’re the number one hero, Sho. Everyone wants you and needs you.” She smiled lovingly and cupped his cheek with her good hand.

“But I don’t want everyone.” He stared down at her. “Just one. You. I wanted to help people...and I still do...but there’s an incredible difference in this one rank. It’s become more about my image than my actual ability to help people.”

Ani weighed his words. “Didn’t All Might say that his mere existence helped dampen crime?”

Shouto nodded.

“Well...It must be part of it then, for whoever is number one,” she offered. She could see the gears of his mind racing.

“What are you really feeling, Ani?”

Her eyes narrowed in confusion. “What do you mean?”

Shouto lifted a hand away, looking down at her hurt appendage. “You are not a violent person, Ani. It’s clear you hurt yourself working out last night. How?” He searched her eyes. “Why?”

She opened her mouth, wanting so badly to tell him but still wracked with guilt about making his life harder. Her throat closed up.

She didn’t notice the syringe he was pulling out of his utility belt until the needle was already poking into her skin. She made a sound of protest but Shouto objected.

“You gave them to me,” he said sternly, injecting her with her own blood. “And since you won’t tell me what happened, I am deciding this is necessary.”

He set the empty syringe down on the sink. He could tell it was already working from the way she flexed her fingers and opened and closed her fist.

“Ani...” he held her face and traced her cheek with a cold thumb, bringing her eyes back up to his. He could feel it in his heart...it was time to tell her. “I don’t think I’ve ever told you what it was like...when you were kidnapped...have I?”

She shook her head listening intently.

“I felt...empty. Not like I had before I met you...that life void of connection and affection which had been normal since my childhood. No. This...was a consuming kind of emptiness...because of the love I shared with you.” He wanted to memorize every detail of her wide-eyed expression as she stared up at him. “I felt grief like I had never known before...a grief that left me a husk of a person. I could think of nothing but bringing you home. Because without you...I didn’t have a home.”

His voice dropped becoming gravelly as he brushed the hair back from her neck and held her face with both hands. He cleared his throat, blushing from the unusual stream of words flowing out, but Ani’s eyes were shining up at him as he finished. “Getting to be with you is the real pinnacle of life. So please...don’t hide from me. Because I spent long enough without you...whatever you’re going through...whatever is happening...I’m here with you. Forever.” He quieted, waiting for her to admit what she was going through.

“I miss you.” Ani slowly closed her eyes, tears falling. “Every day. In every way.” She bit her lips, trying not to break down. “And I don’t want to be so needy when you have so many other things to deal with. When you’ve finally achieved your dream.”

“You can be as needy as you want,” he answered simply. Ani sighed thinking it was not that easy. “I won’t sacrifice the relationship that makes my life—this dream—complete. It’s as easy as that,” he stated bluntly.

She met his eyes, looking for any hint of doubt or regret or resentment.

Obligation or hesitation.

There was nothing.

His face held nothing but the direct earnestness she craved.

“I won’t let anyone hurt you...including yourself,” he noted. Tipping her chin up he held her lower back and brought her body against him. “So: tell. Me. Because chances are, I’m ready to ditch all of this, too, and take a break with you.”

She half-laughed as she nuzzled his chest, absorbing him in every way. “I’ve missed you so much,” she mumbled.

“I’ve missed you, too,” he whispered.

Silence fell between them. It had started comfortably but Ani felt the shift...the tension tightening Shouto’s embrace.

“Sho, what’s wrong?” She tried to pull back but he kept his arms locked around her, unable to meet her eye. She stiffened.

In a hoarse whisper he admitted “I think you should take the job.”

Ani’s chest hollowed, eyes widening. Before she could panic she whispered “why?”

He rested his lips against her hair, savoring the sweaty smell that was still sweet and floral. “You’re not happy here anymore.”

She wanted to correct him. She wanted to insist it wasn’t true but he was right.

She wasn’t happy with her work here anymore, no matter how much she loved being close to him. She wasn’t helping people closely, doing nothing more than acting like a blood blank.

“I didn’t know...” she admitted. “I didn’t realize...” Her arms wrapped around his waist and she sagged against him. “I’m sorry, Sho...”

“Please, don’t be.” He squeezed her, pressing a kiss to her hair. “As much as you want to support me in my dream, I want to support you in yours. And your dream is not this.”

“What about the clinics?” She asked.

“They’re already under new leadership.”

She savored the fabric of his uniform. “What about seeing you? Nezu wants me to live on campus with them.”

Shouto shrugged. “I guess I’ll have to get a visitor’s pass...And find out what their policy is on sleepovers.”

“I’m going to miss you so much,” whispered Ani. The sadness in her voice was heavy enough to break Shouto’s heart.

“And I, you.” Shouto forced the words out. He meant everything he said: this job was going to be more fulfilling and rewarding for Ani which would make her happier. It also meant she would be on the UA campus full-time. It was the safest place for her to be when he couldn’t be with her and she needed that protection now more than ever.

 

 

~

 

Sekitsui sat in the back of the van, dressed like a prison guard, across from Jireta who was wearing fake handcuffs. Namika and Ryoshi sat on either side of her, also dressed like prison guards from Tartarus. Mako was driving.

Jireta’s leg was bouncing nervously. “You’re sure they’re not going to see my face?”

“Positive,” Ryoshi assured her. “Only the guards we encounter in person will see you—”

“And they’re not going to be alive very long,” Sekitsui said with sadistic glee.

“Let’s try not to be trigger happy,” Namika suggested.

“Just remember,” Ryoshi reclaimed the conversation. “Our priority is Hogo. Anyone after that is a plus.” She looked at Jireta. “You’re ready for this. Just remember to wait for them to speak so they hear their voice in their mind, just like we practiced.”

Jireta nodded, stirred by the confidence of her friend alone. “I can do this. We’re going to get her back.”

Ryoshi smiled. “Yes. We are.”

 

The first guard accepted paperwork from Mako and brought it inside his station, comparing it to a file on his screen.

Jireta held her breath. No one else seemed the least bit nervous in the back of the van.

“The guys upstairs must be slacking off; they didn’t tell us there was a new arrival tonight but she’s definitely in there.” He opened the gate and gave the papers back to Mako. “Get her in there without any issue.”

“Have a good night,” Mako said with a nod and closed the window as the guard opened the chain-link gate for the van to rumble forward across the dark bridge.

They passed through another security checkpoint and the others finally started to show signs of unease.

“Jireta,” Ryoshi muttered. “Get ready.”

As soon as they opened the door and got out Jireta’s eyes were scouring their surroundings though there was little to see. A lot of cement. Not a single shadow. And guards positioned frequently in pairs at more security checkpoints. Jireta did just as Ryoshi instructed: she waited until they interacted with a guard to hear their voice and decide what would make them compliant. A dip in their confidence that they had missed something and would get in trouble? Or confidence that they could do their job so much better than their superiors who were always letting things fall through the cracks like this? And somehow, no matter what computer or system or screen a guard used to check any of their credentials, there was never a problem. The information was always where it needed to be.

The four guard-imposters walked in a clump around Jireta as if they were escorting her to her new cell. Mako led the pack, blocking the view of Jireta as she unlocked the trick cuffs. Namika pulled a small electronic device and put it on a black square which beeped after a long moment. A new hallway opened and they snuck in, quickly slipping down the passageway. There was a rustling in cells as the prisoners shifted, trying to see what was happening.

“Fourth cell.” Ryoshi’s voice was tight, thick with emotion.

They stopped in front of a barred window and Ryoshi pulled out a strange tool from her belt; the mechanical key. They had been warned the cells were not locked digitally. Couldn’t be hacked that way. The biggest challenge had been this, getting their hands on this strange oversized key and Jireta held her breath, hoping they had found the right one.

Namika and Mako pushed on the large door that shifted with a deep groan. Darkness waited inside. Ryoshi went in as the rest of them kept watch up and down the hall, and re-emerged with a tired-looking, pink-haired woman at her side.

Namika bowed her head; Mako came to the woman’s side and took her hand.

“Mom,” Sekitsui said with reverence. Jireta glanced between them with skepticism; there was no way this woman could be their mother.

“Come on,” Ryoshi urged the group. “We need to get out of here.”

“Wait.” Though this new woman’s voice was raspy with disuse the group responded to her command. “There’s a short cut.”

 

They went on command from the voice in their ears; a voice Jireta couldn’t hear as she was not given an ear-com. It would have looked suspicious for a prisoner to have one. So, she followed the group as they paused waiting for a guard to pass or ran quickly to avoid a patrol until they were two-floors up. The doors up here were different. There were no walls or barred-windows for prisoners to see through. Each side of the hall was just a solid wall of concrete with numbers and dotted lines outlining the cells. Fear tickled the hairs on Jireta’s neck as she wondered what kind of horrors needed to be kept in such alarming security.

“Here,” the pink haired woman said. She gave a gesture of her head to Ryoshi who leaned against the wall, listening. She closed her eyes in concentration. The rest of the group held their breath, waiting, until a swirl of purple mist appeared amongst all of them.

A haunting figure stepped out with yellow-glowing eyes and Rysohi’s eyes reopened. The purple-mist-covered humanoid looked around seeming only to recognize his fellow prisoner.

“Hogo Sareta,” rumbled his deep voice from an invisible mouth. “What a surprise.”

She gave him a cocky smirk. “We have some unfinished business.” Jireta’s pulse raced; she feared that these two people were adversaries. She wasn’t prepared for a fight! She thought they were just going to—

More purple swirls dotted the halls as other villains joined them unexpectedly. A man with a deep scar down his forehead, another with pale-blue hair, and a third covered with gruesome scars.

The pale-blue haired man saw Hogo Sareta and began scratching his neck feverishly. “You again.”

“Yes,” she said with a maniacal grin.

“And who are these freaks?” He asked with disdain toward the group of women dressed as guards but before Hogo could answer an alarm began blaring. The group flinched.

A large purple portal opened and the mist-man gestured. “We need to leave.” The released villains didn’t need an invitation and went through without hesitation. Ryoshi urged the rest of their group through and Jireta was the last to step through glancing down the hall over her shoulder as a mist began to rain down.

And they were gone. Out of the prison in an instant. All the villains savored the fresh night air in their own way. The man with the scar on his forehead sank to the ground, clutching himself. The man with gruesome scars tilted his head back and lit a palm-full of fire while the pale-blue haired man kept itching his neck until it began to bleed. Hogo and Ryoshi embraced.

Mako, Namika, and Sekitsui huddled together waiting and watching this odd group warily. Jireta stood apart from them all, wondering what she had just done.

Chapter 82: Reality

Chapter Text

When Ani woke up it was late afternoon; she was tucked into one of the couches in Shouto's Musustafu office but he was nowhere to be seen. She wasn’t surprised. It wouldn’t make sense for him to sleep in so late and she felt guilty that she had. Hopefully she wasn’t keeping him out of his office. She sat up and rubbed her forehead.

The decision was nearly made in her heart…there was just one phone call to make first.

The phone rang so many times, Ani expected it to go to voicemail but he picked up on the last ring.

Ani! Are you okay?!” Aino almost sounded out of breath.

“Yeah…I just called because I needed your advice.”

Oh, alright.” Someone in the background said something to him and he covered the phone, muffling his reply. “What’s up?

“I’ve been offered a job at UA….to take over for Recovery Girl as the school’s nurse.”

Wow, Ani, congratulations! That’s awesome.

“You think so?”

Yeah, given everything happening? I'd say it’s a great thing.” Someone called for his attention and he answered them curtly. “Ani, look I've got to go but we can talk more about this later. Okay? I support you in whatever you decide.

“Okay, thanks Aino. Love you—say hi to Hana for me!”

Love you,” he said and hung up abruptly.

She leaned her head back against the couch, feeling the decision cemented in her heart and savoring her final moments as the Todoroki Agency’s clinic supervisor. She took a deep breath. Dialed the number.

Recovery Girl answered after the second ring.

“Good mor—afternoon Recovery Girl,” Ani said with a slight shake in her voice.

Recovery Girl sounded sadder than she expected. “Good afternoon, Miss Shida-san.

“Is everything alright?” She asked tentatively.

Recovery Girl sighed. “As alright as it can be given the circumstances.

“What circumstances?” Suspicion began to creep up Ani’s neck. Aino had mentioned something, too…

There was a beat of silence on the other end before the old woman spoke. “Have you not heard, Miss Shida?

Ani rushed over to Shouto’s laptop, signing in as she admitted. “I had a late night and I’m afraid I haven’t...” The headline appeared as soon as she opened her browser.

 

TARTARUS COMPROMISED

Police and Heroes Yet to Report Number of Villains Escaped

 

A tunnel of horror formed in Ani's mind at those words and the feeling of being starved...beaten...confined...tortured turned Ani inside out. Villains. Escaped.

She dropped her cellphone and fell to the floor, violently vomiting into Shouto’s desk-side trashcan as if she could rid herself of the memories and suffering.

Her arm was shaking as she wiped her mouth on the back of her sleeve. Her ears were ringing; head spinning. She tried not to panic.

 

A faint voice called her back to reality and she saw she was still connected to her call with Recovery Girl.

“I-I’m sorry,” Ani mumbled into the phone. “I just saw.”

The old woman could hear the deep fear in the young woman’s voice. “Where are you right now?

“I’m at the Todoroki Agency. In Musutafu.”

Good. I’m coming to get you, child.” She hung up before Ani could respond. Ani looked down at her pajamas that were now splattered with vomit and knew she had to shower again. She quickly cleaned out Shouto’s garbage can and sent him a text:

 

Hey, I just saw the news. I’m going to go to UA with Recovery Girl but please PLEASE call me if you need me. I love you <3 Be safe

 

Ani rushed around the office, cleaning up so Shouto would return to a tidy space; security called as she was finishing up. She grabbed her bag and took a moment in the doorway of his office. Dojire’s desk was empty and she scanned the empty upstairs floor. She wasn’t going to be an employee here much longer...she would still visit as Shouto’s girlfriend but the transition had begun. It already felt different.

She hastened to close the door and rode the elevator downstairs with a quick check of her phone.

Shouto’s response was brief but Ani appreciated it.

 

Ly

 

She resisted the urge to text back. She didn’t want to distract him.

Waiting in the downstairs lobby was Recovery Girl flanked by a man in a tan trench coat, face covered in a black mask, and a half-man, half-dog. "Miss Shida-san,” Recovery Girl said in her kind voice. “Please meet two of my colleagues: Ectoplasm and Hound Dog.”

She bowed her head. “A pleasure to meet you both.”

They each bowed their heads but remained silent. Recovery Girl motioned for the group to leave. Ani stayed close to her fellow healer; she thought Ecotplasm was behind her but he appeared in front. And then to the side. She glanced behind her and saw a few more of them.

“He can make clones of himself, dear,” Recovery Girl said as they began heading down the sidewalk in a tight cluster.

Ani wasn’t such a fan of cloning quirks.

They were about ten blocks from the UA campus and Ani’s mind was a mess. She could guess which Villains had made it out of Tartarus and what they wanted.

She feared for her safety.

She feared for Shouto’s.

There were dozens of questions piling up but Ani knew they needed to wait. Every face they passed, smiling or tight with worry, made Ani uneasy and she didn’t want any details getting into the wrong hands.

Fear drifted like dust on the city breeze, waiting for a spark to light the fires of protest or the news everything was fine to douse the flames before they started.

Ani relaxed incrementally once they were on the UA campus. Ectoplasm and Hound Dog escorted the two women to the infirmary and Recovery Girl shooed them away with thanks. She sat Ani down by her desk and offered the worried girl water. Ani accepted gratefully.

“Now,” Recovery Girl said as she sat down, hands folded over the end of her giant needle-cane. “I assume you did not call me to talk about the news of what’s happened, but I can see your troubled thoughts.”

Ani lifted her blue eyes to the kind ones underneath the pink visor. “Do you know what happened?”

“All we’ve been told, in order to be able to secure the safety of the students, is that five villains are unaccounted for in Tartarus. One of them was supposed to be a new prisoner transferred in last night but there is now doubt about that...It seems she and the guards escorting her in were a part of the operation to help the others get out."

Ani could barely whisper “...who got out?”

“Shigaraki Tomura and his caretaker known as Kurogiri, Twice, and the man who goes by Dabi.” Recovery Girl exhaled heavily and tapper her needle-cane once. “And Hogo Sareta.”

Ani’s eyes slowly fell shut, tears dripping down her face as the horrifying memories of her kidnapping and abuse raged forward. Helplessness hollowed out her body.

“Miss Shida-san..." Recovery Girl's voice was deep with concern. "...We will understand if you do not want to fight anymore. You’ve done enough, been through enough, as it is. You never asked to be a hero nor have you been trained as one...If you want to be away from all of this when it escalates, I can send you away to a safe place. Just say the word.”

Ani’s eyes widened, brow furrowed, as emotions twisted inside of her and muddled her brain.

She could hide this time?

Be away from the chaos and violence?

Ani couldn’t deny the terror she was feeling with the imminent threat on the horizon. The thought of not having to face any more villains, to avoid the risk of being taken and used again...it was alluring.  She was still healing from being held as a prisoner...maybe she would always be healing from it. She shivered as the images of death, sadism, and torture took the shape of people in her memory.

And Hogo...Hogo Sareta said Ani was her payment for a job. Would she come back to collect?

Yet Ani's heart, and her path, remained unchanged.

She thought of Shouto. Of their family of sidekicks. Of all the pro-heroes and other sidekicks who had become her friends, who faced danger time and time again to protect those who had no choice, nowhere to run. Many people who she helped in the ER for all those years. The victims. The casualties. Whatever terror, whatever horror she faced...she knew others faced it, too.

She thought again of Shouto. Her place wasn’t miles away hidden under some false image of safety. It was with him, by his side, facing whatever came for them.

Her gaze rose to Recovery Girl’s face. “I won’t run from this. No matter what I’ve been through.”

A small, satisfied smile spread across Recovery Girl’s features and Ani’s face twitched with a smile.

“What?” asked the old woman, sensing the shift in Ani's composure.

If Ani was capable of laughing she would have. “I can see what you’re thinking.”

Recovery Girl smirked. “And what’s that?”

Ani wiped the tears from her face and weakly smiled. “Something like: ‘And that’s why I picked you.’”

There was a raspy chuckle from the old pro. “Well, it’s true.” She looked at the young nurse, still seeing all the potential she had before and Ani felt Recovery Girl’s desire to know. But the old woman didn’t want to pressure her. Ani could tell she wouldn’t ask her again, at least not right now.

But Ani had already decided; she wasn’t sure it made sense to wait.

“That’s why I originally called you this morning.” Ani smiled with a hint of sadness. “I’d like to accept the job.”

 

 

The efficiency of UA reminded Ani of her beginning at the Todoroki Agency. One call to the main office and within an hour the polite man who handled administrative tasks arrived at the infirmary with paperwork for Ani, leaving as quickly as he came. She held them, taken by the suddenness and reality of her choice.

“Take the time you need, child,” Recovery Girl said fondly. “I can wait to leave until the current issues are resolved.”

“Thank you,” accepted Ani. “I should get back to the agency, now.”

“No,” Recovery Girl insisted. “You will stay here until I know Todoroki is available to return home with you.”

“Are you sure?” Ani didn’t want to be in the way.

Recovery Girl patted her hand. “Without a doubt...In fact, I can start showing you things while we wait.”

“Thank you.” Ani’s eyes drifted to the window, wondering where Shouto was. Hoping he was safe.

 

 

It was well after dark when Shouto called Ani. He met her on campus, dirty and tired, and eager to see her.

“Shouto!” Her eyes raked over him in their familiar way and, not seeing any injuries, she clutched him fiercely. He hugged her back and she could feel the fatigue in him.

“We didn’t find them yet,” he whispered. “I’m so sorry Ani.”

“Don’t be.” She shifted in his arms to tenderly place her lips on his. “I’m just glad you’re back safely.” She looked up at him hesitantly. “Did...did you know this morning? When you came back to the agency?”

He nodded grimly. “You weren’t answering your phone...and I needed to know.” His fingers rubbed her treasuringly. “I needed to make sure you were safe.”

Guilt wracked Ani. He had stepped away from the investigation for her. “I...I accepted the job, Shouto. But I won’t start until this is over.”

“Ani...” He watched her intently. “There will always be a reason to stay. But there are more important reasons to go now. Staring up into his two-toned eyes, she realized what he meant. If she was working at UA, living on campus, he would know where she was almost all the time. And he could focus on doing what needed to be done. His gaze held hers for a moment before looking at something over her shoulder. “Thank you for taking care of her.”

“It was our pleasure,” Recovery Girl said. Ani turned to see her and the principal coming down the stairs of the main UA building.

“Miss Shida-san is welcome here whenever needed during the coming weeks, employee or not,” offered Nezu. “Please do not hesitate to call on us.”

“Thank you,” Ani said with a bow at her waist.

Nezu smiled and patted her head. “You are most welcome.”

When Ani stood up she looked to Shouto and searched his eyes, asking an unspoken question. He nodded solemnly. From her bag Ani pulled out the UA paperwork she already filled out earlier that evening.

“Mr. Principal,” Ani said respectfully and he gave her a warm smile. With two hands she offered the documents. “I accept. I can start in two weeks.”

With his kind, globule hands he took the papers. “We look forward to welcoming you into a part of the UA community. Our office administrator will be in-touch with details of your transition.”

“Thank you, sir,” replied Ani.

“No, Miss Shida-san,” the advanced mammal said fervently. “Thank you. We have relied on Miss Shuzenji for a long time and knew the day was coming when we would have to say good-bye. No longer do we fear that day or the future of our school and students.”

Ani could find no words to respond so she gave him a small smile and light bow of her head. Shouto put his hand on the small of her back and Ani wrapped her arm around his waist.

As the short mouse and old woman watched the younger couple walk away Recovery Girl sighed.

“Does something weigh upon you, Recovery Girl?”

“Not anymore,” the old woman said. She watched the pair disappear into the night. “She is stronger than she knows and better for this school than anyone realizes.” She smirked. “Except maybe Todoroki-kun.”

Nezu folded his hands behind his back, papers rustling in the night breeze. “We are very lucky, indeed.”

Chapter 83: Good-Bye

Notes:

Happy Birthday to our boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I was thinking about posting another little side-story from his birthday but couldn't get it together in time. Also wasn't sure I wanted to interrupt the flow of the main plot again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chapter Text

“Tell me it’s not true,” M.I. said with distress as he burst into Ani's office.

His reaction was so saturated it felt like it was Monday morning right when the agency sent out the internal announcement that Ani would be leaving, instead of a day later. After Ani had accepted her position at UA she spent a day in the Musutafu office to be with Shouto and came back to Dagoben with him that Tuesday. But the expressions of her friends made her doubt her choice.

Flora looked sad.

Aves looked devastated.

And M.I....M.I. looked betrayed.

“It’s true,” said Ani in a pained voice. “I’m sorry I wasn’t the one to tell you myself.” M.I. stared at her in disbelief. Ani's chest tightened with the memory of everything they had been through together at the hand of the Absolved and the League of Villains. “I’m still going to be providing the agency with blood,” she tried to reassure them but M.I. looked shocked. Then disgusted.

“Blood...? You think all we want is your blood?” His look of disbelief and betrayal returned. “How could you—”

Flora grabbed his arm and began pulling him out of Ani’s clinic office; he stared through the office window, holding back biting words. Aves lingered.

“I’m sorry Hana,” whispered Ani. She slowly sank to her chair.

“Then why are you leaving?” The usually chipper woman asked forlornly.

Ani looked up into the girl’s bright, purple eyes. “So I don’t distract Shouto. Being between two offices is hard enough on him without worrying where I am and if I’m safe or not.” She looked down at her hands. “I don’t want him to get hurt...”

“...while he’s worrying about you,” Aves finished.

Ani nodded and looked up guiltily. “I’m going to miss all of you.”

“And we're going to miss you Ani...We’ve hardly seen you since Shouto opened the second branch, don’t get me wrong Glace is great and I’m so grateful to have her but she’s not…She’s not you.” Aves looked more sad than Ani had ever seen her. “Have you told Aino yet?”

Ani nodded. “Are you seeing him tonight?” Aves smiled, a sliver of her normal happiness showing through. Ani couldn’t help but smile, too. “I’m really happy you guys are together.”

“Almost a month,” Aves said, trying to stifle a grin.

Ani's smile started to fade. “Please take care of him, Hana.”

“I will.” She took Ani's hand and brought her up from the chair. “Promise me you’re not going to forget about us…okay?”

“I could never,” Ani assured.

Aves threw her arms around Ani just as she had the first time they met. “Take care of yourself, Ani.”

Ani sniffled and nodded, not trusting her voice. Aves pulled back and took Ani’s hands again as she walked backward, extending her arms until the last minute and dropped Ani’s fingertips. She watched her friend walk out, feeling the weight of her erased memories though she couldn’t remember what they were. She sank into her chair.

This was going to suck.

A wave of self-doubt rolled through her and she suddenly worried she was making the wrong decision. She looked around the clinic…a clinic Shouto built with her at his side. For his agency—his family. What was she thinking, leaving them at a time like this with everything going on with the Tartarus escape and Shouto being in two different places at once—

Plop

Glace was standing next to her at the desk, shutting the drawer where she just deposited her bag. “Everything alright, Ans?

Ani looked up into the calm, steady eyes of a close friend she could remember working beside for years and felt the fear ebb. Glace had worked hard to become a Nurse Practitioner and Ani remembered the relief she felt when she connected with her old friend, looking for someone to watch over the agency. Glace was reliable. Caring. A skilled nurse. A person worthy of trusting this family to.

The dust of self-doubt settled.

Ani slowly smiled, reassured.

“Yeah.” She nodded. “Everything’s fine now.”

“Nnmookay…” Glace gave her a questioning cocked eyebrow and started getting ready for her day. Ani watched, with growing confidence, Glace move about the clinic. “So, I noticed a trend in…”

Ani felt her day shift into its natural rhythm as she looked over files with Glace and spent the day in the Dagoben office answering questions and fielding visits from staff. She was exhausted by the end of the day but in a good way, a way she hadn’t felt in a long time. With a new path on her horizon, she felt productive. Hopeful. It was almost enough to forget the escape of her kidnappers.

Almost.

She waited in Shouto’s office, reading news articles and blog posts, videos from around the country of protests and demonstrations. People were demanding change, on both the pro-hero and hero-reform side. The moon was high over the city when she finally forced herself away from the screen and wandered down to the Todoroki Agency library.

She sat in one of her favorite corners that offered a comfortable couch and a stunning skyline; a vivid white blossom caught her eye and Ani glanced at the small potted plant on a table at the end of the couch. She smiled. She could feel Flora's calming nature like a fragrance from the blossoms.

“I suppose you’re one of Flora’s scouts?” She gently touched a leaf. “If you talk to her anytime soon…Ask her to stay safe, for me.” Headlines and conspiracy theories knocked about in her head. Ani sniffled, craving the woman's calming presence. “And please tell her I’m going to miss her. Greatly.” Ani wiped her nose.

“I’m going to miss you, too.”

Ani flew to her feet and whipped around to find the pale-green woman behind her.

“Flora…what are you doing back already?” She looked around. “Where’s M.I.?”

“He’s home.” Flora joined Ani and took her hands, guiding her back to sit on the couch. “I made him go back after our rounds.”

Ani’s eyes fell. “Is he upset with me?”

“Very.”

Ani's throat closed at her friend’s bluntness, unable to respond.

“I encouraged him to try and talk to you when he could get to the root of that anger and hurt. But I don’t know when that will be.”

Ani managed a weak, half-smile. “Thank you, Flora. For everything.”

“It was my honor, Ani.” Flora tipped her head down and looked back to Ani with dark eyes. “Thank you, for everything, too.” Ani stifled her impulse to respond, she saw Flora working to get the words out. “For taking care of us for so long. For making us feel like part of a family…for making me feel like that…For a long time I was here…but never really felt like I was a part of it. Thank you for getting me out of that.

“To me, at first, you seemed brash and intrusive. But I learned to love it…and grew from it. That it was okay to ask more of myself and the world around me...and the power of where and when to speak up.” Flora gave a timid smile. “’Life is not about chasing or avoiding the spotlight, but ignoring it altogether and being who we are regardless.’ Advice you gave me once, a long time ago.” She squeezed Ani’s hand. “Be happy, Ani. And be safe.”

She rose silently from the couch.

Ani wiped the trails of tears from her face and caught Flora’s eye before she disappeared between the shelves. “And the same for you, Flora.”

With a kind nod, Flora slipped away into the quiet rows. Her calming presence lingered behind as Ani absorbed their conversation; it was the most Flora had ever said to her and she wanted to remember every detail of it.

 

Ani went back to their apartment alone that night, escorted by two of Shouto’s sidekicks who were on duty. He was in a meeting with Dagoben Police and wasn’t sure when he would be getting out. Ani understood. There was too much information to sort through for either the police or the heroes to do on their own. Even Bakugo was cooperating.

Ani called Hansha and shared the news of her new job. Hansha was delighted and happy though disappointed they wouldn’t get to see each other as often; she promised to keep an eye on their brother, too. When their phone call was done Ani fixed herself a simple sandwich, longing for Shouto’s cooking and presence, and sat at their table to enjoy the view of the city. She missed coming home here every night; it had been several days since she’d been back here and she would be gone for longer stretches of time very soon. She tried to stay focused on the positives.

UA had long been searching for someone they could rely on to maintain their rigorous standards of training.

She would be helping continue the education of young heroes who would in turn protect the innocent, heroes like Shouto, and Deku, and Bakugo who had saved countless lives.

It was a job only she could do, people only she could help, and it would save many lives in the future.

And she could still visit hospitals to help patients like Recovery Girl had. She would miss many things about the way things were but there was a lot to look forward to and so much had changed since she returned. There were no more shadows where she could hide and work to help those in need. Her ability to stay out of any spotlight was long gone because of Hogo Sareta's broadcast. And, though she wouldn’t tell Shouto, she wasn’t blessed with the same love and affection pro-heroes were. No… Everyone knew who she was now.

Any time she went out in public she could feel eyes on her face and hears whispers around her everywhere she went. Hogo had made her the face of scandal and the image of selfishness. She didn’t feel safe going out on her own…not after people had made quiet but threatening comments to her the few times she had.

Being on the UA campus was different. For just the few hours she was there with Recovery Girl she didn't feel ostracized or stared at. There was no spotlight among the shining lights of heroes and their students. It was the most back-to-herself she felt since being kidnapped.

She was happy with her decision about accepting the job, knowing she would keep Shouto a priority in her daily life.

 

 

Shouto did not return that night. He answered a phone call from Ani as she was getting ready to head into the agency and he tried not to think about the number of nights left they had together before she moved to UA. One less, after not going home last night. Bakugo had gone home to get sleep, declaring the investigation right now was futile and the thought of him getting to spend the night with Hansha, while Shouto was missing Ani, was painful.

His tired eyes scoured the maps laid out in front of himself and the police. It wasn’t unreasonable that the villains just vanished; they got Kurogiri out. It was how they got Kurogiri out that confounded everyone. The warp-gate had been kept in a special sound-proof, pitch-black cell with only one way in. A way in that hadn’t been used.

Who, exactly, was helping them?

Investigations hadn’t revealed any contacts of the absolved who could do something like this. There were so many details they were missing including the motive. Their goals. What were the absolved planning now that Hogo Sarera was out? Were they still seeking revenge on Midoriyafor the death of All-For-One?

Would Hogo come for Ani?

Shouto felt the familiar yet heavy burden of not-knowing what was going to happen next and how it made him feel like he needed to be prepared for anything…for everything. He was the number one hero this time he faced the Absolved and the League and he was determined to be a better beacon of Hope and justice than his father had been. And more than that, he wanted to keep this society safe. He wanted to protect people, as he always had, and be the person they could all rely on. He wasn’t going to let anyone down, especially Ani.

When he finally left the police, he went directly to the agency needing to see Ani knowing he could sleep in the office. Before going up to his office he went to her floor and paused in the hallway, taking a minute to watch her working with Glace. She laughed at something Glace said and he found himself smiling with her.

“You look like a lovesick puppy-dog,” Tashkei joked as he stepped up aside his uncle. Shouto’s face hardened, hiding away what he was thinking and feeling, and the young pro looked apologetically at his boss. “Sorry, Uncle. I meant it in a good way.” He glanced inside at the two nurse practitioners and his own expression fell. “It’s gonna suck not having her around.”

Shouto's voice was solid. Serious. "It will. But it's for the best."

His nephew looked back at him. “Are you worried about it?”

“About what, exactly?” He asked, trying not to be curt.

“I don’t know…not getting to see her everyday? About all those teachers and students getting her attention instead?” Tashkei guessed.

“The only thing I’m worried about is her safety and her happiness,” Shouto answered earnestly.

Tashkei chortled. “I wish I could be that calm.” Shouto turned a cocked eyebrow on his young sidekick who just shrugged. “It just feels like we’re losing part of our family.”

“We are,” noted Shouto quietly. Tashkei watched his uncle for another long moment then left Shouto’s side to start his day. Shouto finally went inside.

“Morning Boss,” Glace greeted him respectfully. Ani looked up and smiled.

“Hey,” she said and crossed the clinic, meeting him among the row of beds. “How did it go?”

He pulled her weight against him, feeling at ease just being here. “We don’t have a lot to go on right now.” He rested the side of his face on her head.

She felt his body sagging with fatigue. “Are you going home to rest now?”

“No,” he answered already half-asleep.

“Come on.” Knowing how stubborn he was and what he was thinking, she guided him to a bed and laid him down without protest. She wasn't going to complain; she wanted to be able to watch over him like this. She hid her selfish smile and gently brushed the hair from his eyes. He gave her a tired smile that melted her heart. “Get some sleep. I’ll be right here if you need me.”

Shouto’s eyes fell shut, breath softening as he fell asleep, and Ani placed a kiss on his forehead. She went back to work but kept an eye him stealing glances whenever she could.

In the early afternoon Dojire came looking for him; Ani blocked his path with her arms spread wide. “Please, can you let him sleep a little longer?”

Dojire grimaced. “I wish I could but he instructed me to wake him at this time.” Ani tried to stay strong but Dojire grimaced. "If there weren't pressing meetings I would risk letting him have extra time to rest."

“Alright...” Ani looked over her shoulder. “Let me wake him.”

“Of course,” Dojire said with a small nod of his head. “I’ll be waiting upstairs.”

From the corner of her eye, Ani saw Glace go into the supply closet with a list to take inventory. Taking a private moment, she crouched down to eye level with Shouto’s sleeping face and noticed how the slight dip in his brow revealing how a stress weighed on him in sleep. She tried to smooth the skin between the different colored eyebrows...her fingertips lingered on his face tracing the outline of his scar.

“Am I abandoning you?” She softly whispered out loud, not meaning to actually ask him.

Though his eyes were still closed, he answered “no.” She pulled her hand back, fingers curling away from his skin as his eyes slowly opened. “I would only feel abandoned if you stopped believing in me...As long as I have your love...I’ll never feel abandoned.”

Ani smiled and rested her head on the bed next to him. “I will never abandon you.”

“Nor I, you.” His warm hand rested on her cheek, thumb stroking her cheek, as his heterochromatic eyes bore into hers. He leaned in and pressed his lips to hers for a long moment before pulling back and asking “is it time for me to wake up?”

“Yes,” sighed Ani. “Though I tried to send Dojire away...he was loyally insistent.”

Shouto rested his forehead on Ani’s. “I want you to know...I don’t want to be spending so much time away from you before you move to UA.”

“Sho...I’m not worried.” She took his hand, lacing their fingers together. “To spend every night, every moment together before I move...It would be a declaration that we’re not going to see each other anymore after that.” She kissed the back of his hand. “That’s simply not going to happen. The time and how we spend it together will change but we are still going to see each other. A lot.” She blushed and, in a quiet hush, said “Nezu said I’m allowed to have any pre-approved guests over as much as I’d like during my free-time. So...sleepovers...are absolutely allowed.”

A grin slowly spread across his face; the true smile of his that lit up his eyes and made Ani feel like she could do anything. “Well,” his voice was deep and lustful “that’s good to hear.”

Ani bit her lip, trying to hold back the massive grin of her own and stood up. “Come on. You need to get upstairs before Dojire comes looking for you and I get in trouble.”

He groaned grumpily and rolled off the bed. “Fine. Meet me upstairs for dinner?”

“I’d love to.” She watched him walk backwards to the door. “Do your best today.”

“And you.” He paused, back up against the door. “I love you, Ani.”

She burned the image into her mind. “I love you, Sho.”

He left and she turned to help Glace with taking inventory but there was little left to do.

Shouto had been right; since stepping back from the day-to-day management of each clinic, she had already trained Glace and Chojen, the nurse practitioner in Musutafu, to run almost everything on their own.

She spent the remainder of the two weeks showing Glace and Chojen the final parts of her job and helped build a rapport between the two nurse practitioners that they might work well together to provide coordinate health care across the two cities. Other than that, there wasn’t much else to do.

The two weeks passed quickly.

Ani took time to give personal good-byes to every person she could and thanked everyone who had made her time at the Todoroki Agency so special. Everyone except M.I...Since finding out about Ani’s departure he had avoided her completely and shunned all of her attempts to reach out. His silence was poignant and the one ripple in her final time with Shouto’s agency.

On her last day she said good-bye to Glace in the clinic with one last, long look around. Aves and Flora, Tashkei and Dojire waited in the hall with forlorn smiles and solemn sentiments of her departure. Aves threw her arms around Ani for the tightest hug yet.

“We’re going to miss you so much,” Aves whispered. “Come back soon.”

“I will,” Ani promised. “Take care of each other.” She pulled back. “Tell M.I. I said good-bye?”

Flora nodded. Aves answered “of course.”

Shouto stepped up behind Ani, placing his hand on the small of her back. “Are you ready?”

Ani took a final look around the gathered group and couldn’t help the sadness that weighed on her expression. “Bye everyone...” She waved and felt her throat close up.

The group waved and watched in silence as Shouto led her to the elevator. When the doors closed, sealing them in privacy, he cupped her face and took a deep, hungry kiss from her—the last as his agency’s nurse. A dark part of him simmered with regret at the reality of losing that claim on her.

He pulled back as the elevator slowed, doors opening. “I’ll see you in a few hours, okay?” He stroked her cheek.

She nodded. “I’ll see you soon.”

He walked her to the security desk where the head of HR was waiting. “Miss Shida, it has been an absolute pleasure working with you.” They bowed and accepted the agency I.D. she returned.

“Thank you.” She looked at Shouto. “It’s been the same for me.” The corners of Shouto’s mouth twitched but the heavy moment held back his smile. To the serious, ever-present security guard Ani said “Bye Neto.” The woman grunted in response.

Ani paused to soak in her final moment, especially the image of Shouto in his black slacks, white button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, and black tie, and left the agency no longer an employee.

She slid into the backseat of the car waiting at the curb for her that pulled away and drove off to Musutafu.

Chapter 84: Auto-Pilot

Chapter Text

From the backseat of the car Ani reviewed the invitation for Recovery Girl’s retirement dinner which was to take place the next night. Ani was wary of the event still uncomfortable with public attention and had a strong suspicion she was going to be in the spotlight, being UA’s new nurse, as much as Recovery Girl was going to be. Not that she wanted it that way. The announcement had already been made public the previous week and she was doing her best to ignore the public response. The only opinions that mattered were those of the faculty and staff at UA and her family. It would not be so easy to avoid other people’s comments in person and there was a long list of guests attending the event.

Nexu explained it was an opportunity to ease the strain of the relationship between heroes and the public. Much like the UA gala it was a chance for pro-heroes and members of the public to mingle and work through some of the hostile feelings putting everyone on edge. To dispel the building tension with a night focused on saying thank-you to Recovery Girl who spent her life saving others.

Ani couldn’t argue with his reasons, or Recovery Girl’s genuine request for Ani to attend. She insisted she didn’t want to steal any of her predecessor’s spotlight but the old healer wasn’t concerned. She was a lot like Ani in the sense that she wasn’t interested in hogging attention; Ani could understand and didn’t want to force Recovery Girl to face an event like this alone. So Ani agreed to go, and Shouto with her.

By the time she was at their apartment in Musutafu, Ani’s worries shifted...it wasn’t only the attention of the public she feared attracting. She worried about the villains—especially the most recent escaped ones—being drawn to this event like moths to a flame. She and Shouto had talked at length about how they would avoid a situation like last time. The number one hero assured her that he, the police, the school, and the other pro heroes were taking thorough precautions to guarantee the safety of the guests but Ani couldn’t help the cracks of doubt in her mind. The most reassuring thing was that Shouto would be there with her.

She went inside on auto-pilot, mind churning with worry and decided a hot shower would be the most relaxing thing to do as she waited for Shouto. The heat massaged her muscles, unknotting her back, and the steam soothed her from the inside-out with every deep breath. She felt better, calmer, when she was done and noticed she missed a call...it was Shouto. Well, Dojire. On Shouto’s behalf.

There was a voicemail that told her Shouto was delayed. Something came up and he wouldn’t be making it to Musutafu until the middle of the night. Ani pouted sourly and settled for wearing one of Shouto’s baggy sweatshirts over her pajama shorts. Not nearly as nice as having the man there himself...but good enough. She warmed up leftovers from the freezer and ate dinner on the couch as she watched a movie.

Shouto still wasn’t home when the credits rolled and her long-emptied bowl had dried and crusted. Her belongings were packed and ready, waiting in boxes for her move to the UA campus on Sunday. Her dress was steamed, waiting wrinkle-free in her closet for the dinner tomorrow.

She was starting to get bored.

A feeling she did not like and did her best to avoid.

The silence creeped along her skin like insects, making her twitch.

They were out there. Those people.

The feeling of Dabi's scarred hands made her cringe. The memory of the malice in his eyes made her pulse race and the thought of Kurogiri's dry mist warp-gates dampened her with sweat.

She clenched and unclenched her fists, reminding herself she wasn’t their prisoner anymore. She had one more public appearance tomorrow and then she could get back to work. There was nothing like caring for patients to take her mind off the unknown.

The door opened and one known, certain element of her world stepped into the apartment.

Her panic stilled.

Shouto’s serious eyes swept across the room, gaze softening as he saw her.

“Ani,” he said as he shut the door. She was already up and crossing the room to meet him.

“Sho,” she sighed and tucked herself against him. The smell of ash and exhaust clung to his uniform, burning her nose but she didn’t pull back.

Shouto’s arms curled around her and he did his best to ignore the ache in his heart that she wouldn’t be here anymore when he came home from a bad day or a good day or any kind of day when he came home from work. She was here now, in his arms.

 

 

Shouto woke early. He stayed in bed, doing nothing more than laying with Ani as her snores rumbled rhythmically. She was half-draped across him like a weighted blanket, clinging to his left side for warmth as she always did. It was the only other reason, besides being able to help people, that he had come to enjoy the hot part of his quirk. A particularly deep snore tore through Ani making her grunt and shift in her sleep and Shouto felt himself smirking. She was easy to be with, unfiltered and real unlike so many of the other people he had to be around. Ani flumped onto her back making Shouto feel suddenly exposed and alone…

He had a feeling he was going to be at UA a lot after tomorrow.

He rolled onto his side and adjusted her limp body so he could spoon her. He took a deep inhale of her comforting smell and became aware of his morning wood.

Yeah, he was going to be at UA a lot.

Ani’s plump cheeks began to grind against him, giving it away that she was starting to wake up.

“Good morning,” Shouto growled lowly.

Ani stretched, conveniently pressing her butt onto his hardening member. She airily responded “mmmm…good morning.”

Shouto’s hand slipped up under her shirt and found her braless. He planted kisses along the exposed skin of her neck, nipping and leaving light marks. As much as he would love to go to the dinner tonight with his territory clearly marked he knew she was anxious about the event. He didn’t want to do anything to add to her stress.

“How are you feeling this morning?” He asked, hot breath ghosting across her skin.

“Very good…” she sighed and it was true. Once Shouto got home her worries became long gone and she slept well being together. She rolled around in his arms and, though he wanted to be disappointed he could no longer comfortably palm her chest, she looked up at him with a radiant happiness that made him feel more alive than anything else.

“What do you want to do today?” She asked. His happiness dimmed.

“I have a meeting with the Musutafu police superintendent today,” he discouragingly admitted. Disappointment touched Ani’s features and he quickly added “but I’ll be back in time to go to the gala with you.”

She gave him a reserved smile. “Thanks.”

His expression became a muddled mess of everything he was feeling. “I’m sorry I won’t be with you on your last day here.”

“I understand. We’ll have time together again soon.” She caressed his cheek. “And as long as we can spend tonight together…I’ll be happy.”

The corner of his mouth tipped up in the hint of a smile. “Me too.”

He thought of his plans for after the dinner and felt his heart lurch with nerves and excitement. What he said was true; he did have a meeting with the superintendent…but after that he needed time to get everything ready. He wanted their last night together to be perfect.

 

 

Ani couldn’t sit in their apartment for the whole day. Not without Shouto. Her heart began to ache in the space that felt too cavernous without him and she needed to get out, if only for a little while. But where?

Then it hit her: Mina!

Mina lived in Musutafu and she hadn’t seen her friend in a long time. A few texts between them happily confirmed that Mina wasn’t on duty that morning and would love to have lunch. Ani was relieved and excited. It was going to be great to be with her friend before the overwhelming event tonight…but she wasn’t quite sure where Mina lived or how to get there.

 

I got you beautiful ;) I’ll send you a car

 

Ani relaxed. With a quick text to her lover, she was smiling as she left the apartment and went to the car waiting at the curb. She slipped in with an apology on her tongue; she didn’t expect the car to already be there, but there was no driver.

Autonomous. Driverless.

Dagoben didn’t have these yet…something about it was unsettling. The car pulled away from the sidewalk with Ani’s destination already logged, and she leaned against the window. It was actually kind of nice to watch the city pass by without any awkward glances or rude whispers from other people. She could relax and take in the details behind tinted windows.

Until

She noticed the car was headed in the wrong direction from Mina’s house. She may not have known the city well but she knew enough to know this wasn’t right. She leaned forward and checked the screen.

The directions were gone.

She frowned, feeling a sense of unease chill the air.

The screen was a blank map and yet the vehicle was making decisive turns as if it was still receiving the directions from somewhere.

Or someone.

It’s just a remote driver she thought, trying to convince herself it was probably just a simple error on the company’s part. Stretching, she pressed a button the dash to speak with a vehicle operation supervisor.

“Hello?” she asked, trying to ignore the sinking feeling in her gut as she pressed it again.

There was a pulse of static.

“H-hello? I-is anyone there?” Bile rose up her throat on a wave of dread. She pulled out her phone and unlocked it as someone replied.

Hello passenger! Thank you for choosing us to get you to your destination; your call will be answered shortly.

Ani tried to swallow past rock lodged in her throat.

No. This couldn’t be.

Sweat filmed across her skin. She went to type out a message on her phone, opening the encrypted messaging app Shouto’s security advisor had installed on her phone, but hesitated to ask for help. Was she still allowed to use this even though she was no longer an official employee?

Before she could decide what to do the car pulled into a major highway and a bell dinged.

A friendly voice filled the car around her. “Thank you for calling passenger services. How can I help you today?

“Uh, hi. Yeah, the car I’m in is having a problem. It’s not taking me where I need to go.”

“Hmmm”. There was a dramatic pause. “Everything looks fine from our end.” They rattled off Mina’s address.

“Yes, that’s correct but it’s not actually going there.”

Let me place you on a brief hold while I address the issue.

“No, wait—” Hold music cut Ani off. She licked her lips, ignoring the film of sweat forming across her skin as panic rose, and tried to stay calm. Sickeningly pleasant music diddled from the speakers. Ani tried opening a menu on the car’s screen as it accelerated along the highway but nothing happened. The car was speeding now, weaving through traffic with the gall of a person.

She opened the encrypted app again and clicked the alert button—her phone shut down. No. That wasn’t right. She had plenty of battery and there was no reason for it to have turned off. She didn’t even have a chance to send an actual message to anyone.

Her pulse raced and she was started to hyperventilate as the car began to race out of Musutafu. She yanked on every door handle, tried opening the windows, and tried finding an emergency brake or steering system. There was nothing.

She was trapped in this car with no way out, no way to call for help, and no idea where it was going.

But by now....

She was absolutely sure who it was taking her to.

 

Shouto sat down with the superintendent, precinct leaders, and several of their top detectives to hear what they had found so far.

It wasn’t good.

They were still scraping to find any trace of the Absolved and the League. In two weeks no one had found anything useful; the criminals simply disappeared. Physically and digitally.

They had just finished updating each other and started outlining their next steps when Shouto’s phone beeped with a notification. He ignored it, focusing on a new strategy one of the detectives wanted to try.

It beeped again.

And again.

The notification continued until it drew the attention of everyone else in the room; with a jaw clenched in irritation, he excused himself. He stepped into the hallway bristling with irritation, ready to firmly end whatever incessant employee was begging for a—

It was Cipher.

Shouto’s security agent who kept the whole agency safe from digital sabotage and attack and, quite possibly, the only person who hated talking on the phone more than Shouto.

And he was calling.

Shouto’s entire being tensed as he quickly answered. “Cipher.”

“Boss—It’s Ani.”

Every one of Shouto’s senses heightened, putting the world into sharp focus.

“She paged the security alert app but didn’t send any information with it. Her phone went offline right after.”

Without a second thought Shouto leaned back into the room. “I need to leave immediately. An emergency has come up.” He started striding away and said into the phone. “What was her last known location?”

“I’m sending it to you now but, boss—”

“Shouto!” Superintendent Jozu called out to him and Shouto tried to stay focused on Cipher’s words.

“What’s happened?”

“I think she’s been kidnapped.”

 

Ani couldn’t help the tears that were streaming down her face as she threw herself against the windows, the doors, and tried everything she could to break out of the car as Musutafu began to shrink in the background of the car. Her vision was blurring and she knew it was useless to cry but there wasn’t anything else she could do.

She was slamming her foot against the window, stabbing the glass with the seatbelt clasps but they were too thick. Even if she could break through them she would have to leap from the car as it sped along the highway.

She didn’t care.

Anything was better than going back to those people.

The nauseating hold music finally stopped and Ani wiped her face as well as she could manage. They were probably watching her right now.

“What do you want?” She growled.

No answer.

That didn’t mean they weren’t listening.

“WHAT DO YOU WANT?!” She screamed, flushing her face red.

There was a buzz of static and she expected someone to respond but they didn’t.

“I know you’re there, Hogo!” Ani shouted.

Something changed. The car shifted gears and instead of accelerating, it slowed down. It was stopping.

In the middle of the highway.

 

Shouto froze for only a moment before snapping into action.

Not again.

It couldn’t be happening again.

He was vaguely aware he was speaking to the superintendent as he secured his phone in his uniform but he wasn’t quite sure what they were.

His feet were moving, muscles operating on pure memory as he rushed out to his bike, following the live directions and information Cipher was sending him.

It seemed like she had been in a car headed out of Musutafu which didn’t make any sense. Ani didn’t drive and she had no intentions of leaving the city today. In fact, she was going to see Mina...

Mina.

Quickly relaying this to Cipher as he raced through the city, the security guru connected with the pink-haired hero and they all quickly connected the dots.

Driverless vehicles run by software. Completely autonomous.

Completely hackable.

Shouto felt his whole body ripple with a burning fury as Cipher figured out which vehicle had taken Ani, where it was now.

And what it was doing.

The instant he was clear of the city he ditched his bike and traveled the fastest way he knew how.

 

Ani felt like a caged animal as the vehicle came skidding to a complete stop in the middle of a highway. The few people nearest swerved, easily—and angrily—avoiding this sudden hazard on the road with their small cars. They cut off people in the surrounding lanes which caused a waterfall effect of slamming on breaks, squealing tires, and Ani's eyes widened in horror as an eighteen-wheeler barreled down the highway straight toward her

Horn blaring

Unable to swerve

And slammed into Ani’s car.

 

The vehicle was thrown into the air like a soccer ball, tumbling and turning over on itself before smashing back into the ground. It all happened so fast, from the vehicle slowing down to being hit, Ani wasn’t able to put her seatbelt back on. The windows finally shattered and, mid-roll, Ani was thrown from the vehicle.

She soared through the air like a ragdoll in the wind.

The ground rushed up to meet her.

 

The air was knocked from her lungs as she collided

 

But it wasn’t the rough concrete catching her with the scorching fire of friction of pavement and pain of broken bones.

 

No...Though the wind had been knocked out of her...she sailed smoothly to a stop.

 

 

The wind roared as Shouto cut through the air, launched by a tremendous pillar of ice.

He wasn’t too late he wasn’t too late he wasn’t too late

He drew upon everything reserve of strength he had to fly over the highway and saw what he was looking for: a vehicle stopped on the highway.

And the cars swerving to avoid it.

And the tractor-trailer that knocked the car into the air as if it were a pebble on the sidewalk.

Shouto raged through the air, a missile of fire and ice, every fiber of himself speeding toward the limp body tossed through broken glass as the purple warp-gate appeared.

Not again.

No.

NO.

NOT. AGAIN.

In an instant the entire scene was frozen: eighteen wheels stuck in place, a crumpled vehicle stopped, a misty circle speared through with enough ice to sink a ship and Ani...

Shouto skated around on a rim of ice and caught Ani.

She slammed into his body hard. He could feel how the impact knocked the wind from her lungs. But she was here.

She was safe.

 

“Ani! Ani!”

The most important voice in the world spoke and it was ripe with emotion. Her eyelids weighed a thousand pounds but she somehow managed to open them.

“Sho...” Her head lolled to the side, resting against him and she passed out in the safe, strong hold of his arms.

Chapter 85: A Questionable Affair

Chapter Text

Ani sat under a blanket on the back of the ambulance, head hanging low as she watched Shouto and the police inspect the demolished vehicle. Traffic steadily flowed around the accident scene like a parted stream. Ani ignored the faces pressed against glass and kept her eyes on Shouto.

Her heart was a twisted mess of emotions from the guilt to dragging Shouto out of an important meeting, to the helplessness of being a victim again, to the staggering relief of being rescued by Shouto, especially.

She was exhausted.

A representative from the company came and spoke to the police and number one hero in low voices. Ani couldn’t take her eyes from the intensity of Shouto’s expression. She could see the subtle hint of irritation in his features, features that looked the same to everyone else.

At the end of the conversation Shouto came straight to Ani and pulled her to her feet, tucking her against him. It made her feel like the most loved person in the world.

“The company’s software team will do an investigation.” He buried his face in her hair, inhaling deeply.

Ani squeezed him and said against his chest “thank you, Shouto...that fall would have been so painful.” She felt his arms tighten around her. “I would’ve been regenerating for a long time.”

She pulled back and looked up to see the same tension in his eyes but it wasn’t for the reason she thought.

Shouto realized she had no idea what else was waiting to swallow her feet from where he caught her. “Ani...There was a warp-gate.”

“The League.” Fear flashed through her eyes but didn’t linger. “and the Absolved...they’re still working together.”

Shouto nodded. “It seems that way." He stroked her cheek. “Ani...” His eyes deepened. “Would you like to skip the dinner tonight?”

Her lips parted. The idea was tempting, not having to face the public after a stressful event like this, and get to spend the night with Shouto. She sighed. “I really want to...but I should still go...If you’ll...still go with me?”

Shouto’s mind flashed to the plans he had for after the dinner and all the things he hadn’t been able to set up yet. “Of course.”

She leaned into him and he held her close, hoping he would still get a chance.

 

Ani was stepping into her dress as Shouto came out of the bathroom with his towel wrapped around his waist. She paused, mouth parting hungrily at the chunks of muscles defining his chest. His abs were surrounded by more muscle that angled in a v disappearing under the towel that hung just above the half-white, half-red patch of hair she knew was there.

Shouto glanced up. He saw his girlfriend frozen halfway into her dress biting her lower lip as dark lust pooled in her eyes. He might’ve flexed just a little bit as he turned and slowly stalked toward her.

The soft, red velvet fell from her hands and she stepped out of the circle of fabric, color rising to her cheeks.

He smirked, treasuring the effect he still had on her after all this time, and backed her up against a wall. He rested his arm against the wall and tipped her chin up as she folded her hands behind herself and looked up at him from under her eyelashes. Like teenagers.

Though he never felt quite like this when he was a teenager.

Hormones surged through his veins as his eyes trailed down the waiting and willing woman pinned against the wall.

“Hmm,” he hummed in approval and trailed a cold finger down the valley between her breasts. “This is a new bra...”

“D-do you like it?” She asked, chest beginning to heave. His fingertips traced the low, strapless line of lace as it hugged her soft mounds of flesh. He could feel her nipples hardening and felt a ripple of jealousy that they might be visible through the fabric of her dress.

He circled the pointy bud and watched with satisfaction as her eyes hooded and she rubbed her thighs together.

“Oh, sh-sho...”

“Yes?” He asked feeling his own pleasure start to press against the towel. He pinched and watched her back arch, mouth part open with a moan. He had a demand on the tip of his tongue when his alarm went off.

He released a low sound of irritation, knowing it was a reminder that they needed to leave. God, he just wanted to spend the rest of the night stuffing himself deep inside of her. Ani whimpered and looked up at him with hazy longing.

“We have to go, don’t we?”

He palmed her plump chest and squeezed. “Unfortunately.” He leaned down to the bottom of her neck and worked the flesh that sent shivers through her body. She became breathy under his kiss and it fueled the fire of craving in his dick. He let go of her skin and realized he inadvertently left a mark.

Oh well, he thought to himself. He hadn’t meant to, the mark wasn’t very dark and would fade quickly, but he wished he had spent the morning lining her neck with fierce claims. Before he pulled away from her neck, he used a cool voice to whisper “change your bra. This is too revealing.”

He was rewarded with rich heat that brushed across her features when he stepped back. He went to his own clothes and watched her from the corner of his eye as he dressed himself. She glanced at the mirror, eyes popping wide at the pointy-nipple blushing state he left her in, and covered her chest as if there was someone else there to catch her. She quickly changed to a thicker strapless bra that wouldn’t expose those sensitive buttons to the rest of the world.

Ani checked herself out, making sure the underwear she changed into wasn’t revealing and stepped into her dress again. Soft, red velvet greeted her skin as she slid into the long-sleeves. There was a satisfying weight to the garment that hung from the edges of her shoulders. It was sleek, fitted. A simple, trumpet-flared gown that matched the red tartan jacket of Shouto’s tux.

Ani watched with wanting as he buttoned up the white shirt and tucked it into his black pants. Damn, he looked good. As he shrugged into the plaid jacket, he caught her eye in the mirror. It was her turn to have an effect on him.

His cheeks blushed as he looked at her for the first time in the luxurious gown. “Ani...” He turned from the mirror, eyes glowing with affection. “You look beautiful.”

“Thank you.” She smiled shyly. “Zip me up?” She twisted and offered her exposed back. He complied, sealing her skin away for his eyes only.

They stood in-front of the mirror for a moment together. Ani rested her head back on his chest.

“I love you, Todoroki Shouto.”

“I love you, Shida Ani.” He smiled his real smile, making her glow.

He couldn’t wait to surprise her.

 

 

Shouto laced his fingers through Ani’s as they pulled up to the hall that was as impressive as any UA gala. He could feel the slight shaking in Ani’s hand.

“It will be alright,” he assured her. She looked away from the window to search his face.

She knew he couldn’t guarantee it but she believed him anyway and gave him a half-smile. “Thanks.”

The main difference from this event to a UA gala was the absence of fans. Only a short, elegant staircase led up to the doors with a few members of the press lining either side.

“Where are all the crowds?” she asked, a mixture of relief and confusion.

Shouto scanned the sidewalks. “I don’t know.” He was as confused as she was.

They stepped out together, Ani folding her hand in the crook of his arm, and he led them right inside. Ani didn’t mind the few flashes this time.

The hall was massive. Warm, yellow light evenly filled the room that was half dance floor, half reception. An usher handed Shouto a small card.

“A table number, sir, for you and Miss Shida.”

Shouto accepted it with a silent nod of his head and navigated the sea of socializing people, ignorant of those trying to catch his attention.

At their table they found a majority of the current UA staff: Principal Nezu, Recovery Girl, Ectoplasm and Hound Dog, Lemillion, Hei Matsume the equipment and support-lab supervisor, and…Endeavor?

Ani gripped Shouto’s arm and gave him a quick glance.

Shouto had always had trouble reading emotions off people—except Ani. In that moment he could see the confusion, her question, and feel what she needed to know without hesitation. He leaned in and quickly whispered “it happened a few months before your memory was altered. And he took some time off after the attacks a few months ago.”

Ani smiled appreciatively at him as they approached the table.

Recovery Girl and the principal had been engaged in a conversation with a cluster of people but the old healer stepped away to greet her successor.

“Recovery Girl, I didn’t mean to interrupt,” the young nurse said with a small bow.

Recovery Girl waved away the apology. “Nonsense, you’ve given me a legitimate excuse to leave those wind-bags.” Ani laughed and Shouto smirked; Recovery Girl was quickly taking to retirement, dropping her usually reserved manner. “Come, come, let me introduce you to some people worth talking to.” She towed Ani away from Shouto who felt very suddenly alone surrounded by all these people.

“Shouto.” His father’s voice was still booming even though it was quiet. “Come and sit, son.” He gestured to the two empty chairs next to him. Something about the invitation seemed belittling and he had a wave of fear.

Would he become just like his father?

A number one hero who didn’t represent heroism enough to deter crime from existence alone?

He found his fists we’re clenching as a familiar voice called his name.

“Midoriya,” Shouto said and turned to his smiling peer.

“It’s been a while since I’ve seen you and I don’t think I’ve said congratulations in person for your new ranking,” Deku offered with a bow.

Uraraka stood with her boyfriend but didn’t bow. “Yes. Congratulations.”

Shouto tensed; what was Midoriya really thinking? Was this going to change their friendship?

“Thank you, Midoriya,” Shouto quietly responded. He wished Ani we’re here; she was better at filling conversation with people. His eyes roamed the gathering and caught sight of her, red velvet gown a subdued elegance next to Recovery Girl sporting her sparkling, silver gown. Ani chuckled at something and Shouto felt a growing need to be near her.

“Oi, nerd, half-and-half,” scoffed a quiet but angry voice.

Shouto tore his eyes away from his girlfriend to find Bakugo approaching with Ani—a flash of panic made the hair on the back of his neck stand up--no, with Hansha.

She gave the ash-blonde a playful shoulder bump. “Hi guys,” she said with a smile. “It’s nice to see you.”

“And you, Hansha.” Shouto was still not used to seeing Ani's clone, especially with Bakugo. Jealousy rose in Shouto’s chest at seeing her hold Bakugo's arm the same way Ani had held his. Ani was only his to have and Hansha was—

Wait. What was he thinking? What was happening to him tonight?

Shouto’s attention wavered from the conversation as he looked out through his peripheral vision.
Something was wrong.

 

Across the room Ani was trying to pay attention. She really was. Recovery Girl had introduced her to someone—director of Musutafu general, maybe?

They said something funny; everyone was laughing. She chuckled along.

Shouto was talking with Midoriya and Uraraka, Bakugo and Hansha…But something started to feel off…she began to feel out of place.

Everything seemed fine a minute ago. It wasn’t until she saw...Hansha?

Unfamiliar tendrils of emotion and self-doubt climbed up her back. Hansha looked stunning tonight in a fitted black-lace, halter top dress next to Bakugo in an elegant three-piece tux. Ani tried to pull her own attention back to the people around her despite the nagging jealousy that Hansha didn’t have the same obligations. Hansha could stay with her friends guilt-free, wearing whatever she wanted no matter how sexy and revealing without public comment. It must make Hansha so light-hearted and carefree. She certainly looked it.

Ani wondered how many people were going to notice their identical features. There were inevitably going to be comparisons…Not that Ani ever cared before.

And she wasn’t going to pay attention to those kind of reports. They didn’t matter before and they weren’t going to matter now.

But…what if Shouto heard the reports? And Ani wasn’t around much anymore because she was at UA…?

Would he start to look at Hansha in a different, more favorable light?

What if he started to be attracted to Hansha? They looked exactly the same, except for their hair, but Hansha wasn’t as tied down with obligations from jobs. She could go anywhere with Bakugo, be anywhere with Bakugo.

Was Shouto going to miss that?

Would he end up wanting...Hansha's company…?

Ani stole a glance at Shouto. He looked as off as she felt.

“W-would you excuse me a moment?” Ani said, trying to politely excuse herself. She didn’t want to leave Recovery Girl but her instincts put her feet into action.

The dinner was crowded now; most of the guests must have arrived by this point because even the dance floor was covered in mingling chatting people.

Ani started weaving, trying to cut through the crowd as she kept an eye on the tense set of Shouto’s shoulders.

“Miss Shida Ani!” someone crowed with sickening sweetness and placed a hand on Ani's forearm. “What a surprise to see you here tonight!”

Ani mumbled some pleasantry as the crowd shifted and she lost sight of her only concern at the moment.

“...You are so lucky, the rest of us don’t have a pro-hero boyfriend to swoop in and save us from the brink of death.”

The woman’s words found traction in Ani's mind and she turned to see the famous orange-haired gym owner.

“Rua…” Ani murmured in confusion but the woman gave her a sly smile and leaned in.

“Though it surely wouldn’t have meant death for our little Yoyo.”

The world around Ani stilled and sound fell away as shock encased Ani in silence.

By the time she found her voice the orange-hair was disappearing among the shifting bodies.

Ani's mind snapped into action but no matter where she looked the woman was gone, leaving Ani with nothing but panic and self-doubt.

No.

It couldn’t mean…

Ani spun around on an urgent mission for one person, and one person only.

 

He needed air. Or at least a moment alone.

He wasn’t thinking clearly and had just wanted to find Ani but she wasn’t with Recovery Girl anymore. Strange worries flooded through him…

Was she having fun somewhere else in this party?

Was she purposefully socializing without him?

…Was she…was she bored of him?

Confusion that felt close to betrayal stabbed his heart when the mass of bodies shifted and he caught sight of her talking to Rua. The famous advocate for decreasing the importance of heroes…like himself.

He couldn’t see the expression on Ani's face but he didn’t like how Rua was leaning into his girlfriend's personal space. And Ani didn’t even seem phased by the proximity of this…this…
His mind was twisting with frustration and fear in a way that made him feel like he was suffocating.
These events had always been unpleasant for him but they usually weren’t this bad.
He ducked out a side-door and slipped into a peaceful, dim hallway.

Wait, was he panting?
Actually panting?!

He leaned against a wall, running his hand through his hair, as he tried to get a grip.

“You okay, there Shosho?”

He stiffened at the voice—it wasn’t the one he wanted to hear—and stood up, resuming his professional image. He relaxed incrementally as he saw it was only Yaoyorozu.

She sauntered down the deserted hall, rocking her hips and dipping her shoulders to accentuate the risque dress she wore…not that Shouto noticed.

He was too relieved, that it wasn’t some public figure or member of the press catching the number one hero having a near-panic attack, to realize: Yaoyorozu was drunk. Her breasts protested the restraining fabric that cut down her front in two strips of black like a rendition of her hero costume. Tight lace covered the skin between.

“What are you doing out here all by yourself, handsome?”

Her question brought Shouto’s mind back around to the confusing feelings he was trying to sort out. In the quiet of the hallway he could think clearly and the jealous territoriality he felt toward Hansha dissipated. The betrayal of Ani's conversation, too. He caught his breath and realized that this was Ani he was worried about. The person he loved and could trust more than anyone else in the world. He had nothing to worry about.

His heart was reassured and he was ready to return to the party. To find her and support her whether it was right next to her or from afar.

But Yaoyorozu was in his way.

She had come to stand right in front of him as he was recovering and he backed away—with nowhere to go. She draped herself across his shoulders and he finally registered the smell of wine on her breath. The lustful half-lidded gaze. “You know…” she purred and he cringed as far back up against the wall as he could. His hands were frozen at his sides. “You can always come to me if you need something. Anything.”

Her fingers slithered into the base of his hairline. “Yaoyorozu, what are you doing?” he asked but she ignored him.

She bit her lip and stared at Shouto’s mouth. “I don’t even care if you’re still with your girlfriend, I just want…to taste…”

Alarms blared in his head but it was too late.

Yaoyorozu's mouth was already pressed to his.

Wrong.

Wrong, wrong, WRONG.

She had him pinned by the mouth to the wall and he quickly reached up, taking her hands that were still coiled in his hair. A place where only Ani's fingers were allowed.

He ripped her hands out and shoved her off of him; the egregious feeling of her clayish lipstick clung to his mouth.

A new panic rose in his chest.

No.

No. No. NO

Fuck. FUCK.

Yaoyorozu had just kissed him. In public. Not only disgusting, it was potentially life-ruining. He swore he saw a shadow flit out of sight at the end of the hallway but when he looked, it was still deserted. A scandal of this magnitude would not only destroy his relationship but it would wreck Ani.

“Why the fuck did you just do that?!” He seethed. “What the hell are you thinking?!”

Yaoyorozu flinched, placing her hand over her bosomy chest as her eyelids bat tears away. “I…I just thought you might be having problems with…with…”

“With who?” He demanded with a quiet fury.

She couldn’t meet the challenge in his eye. “Shouto, please, I—”

She reached out to put a hand on his chest but he slapped it away.

“Don’t touch me.” He glowered at her, out of tolerance. “You no longer get a place in my life.”

She covered her mouth with trembling fingers. “Sho..”

“Don’t call me that again. Ever.”

Her eyes overflowed with tears and she ran from him, dress flapping at her ankles as if she was in a soap opera. He turned back to the door he had slipped out of, mind back to the task at hand: finding Ani.

But he stopped as soon as he was in the cavernous venue again.

Ani.

Ani.

Fear wrung his heart out as sounds of the party crashed over him. Another woman had just kissed him.

What was he going to say to her?

The truth. Obviously. And she was Ani. His person. There’s no way she could doubt him…right?

 

 

Hosts we’re ushering the dinner guests to their lavish tables so waiters could begin taking orders. Ani was still searching for Shouto; she needed to tell him, to warn him the Absolved were here and that Rua woman was involved. She was trying to remain calm.

At least, she was trying to appear calm. But this feeling…this fear that emanated through the party like a fog made it difficult. She wondered if everyone was feeling it or if it was just her, projecting her nerves about starting this new job. It was impossible to tell from the frivolous expressions these strangers wore.

Did Recovery Girl really know all these people?

Was she going to have to get to know them, too?

“Ma'am? Miss Shida?” A polite young waiter disrupted her poisoned thoughts. She was confused as to how he knew her but answered her own question. The whole nation had seen her face on tv. “It’s time for the dinner to begin.” Her eyes swept across the hall once more for Shouto and followed the young man’s lead to her seat.

She sat next to Endeavor and leaned in, asking in a quiet rush. “Have you seen Shouto?”

The old man grunted "not since you arrived.”

From the corner of her eye she saw him re-enter through a back door.

He looked like he’d seen a ghost.

Keeping his eyes on the floor, he wove through the tables directly to theirs.

He already knows.

They’re here.

Sweat trickled down her back in a dewy panic. She had to stay calm. Stay alert.

As she waited for Shouto to get to their table she realized Endeavor was trying to introduce her to the couple sitting next to him. Two people she hadn’t noticed before when they first came up to the table: the kind man who handled all of her employee paperwork who said “it’s an honor to share a table with you tonight, Miss Shida. May I introduce you to my wife?” He gestured to the timid woman beside him. “This is Jireta. Jiri, this is Miss Shida Ani.”

 

~

 

“Nice to meet you,” the nurse said with an impersonal tilt of her head.

Jireta put on the sweetest genuine smile she could and simply bowed her head.

As soon as her husband gave the indifferent nurse his undivided attention, she heard her phone go off and eagerly checked her messages.

 

~

 

Shouto slid into his seat and Ani's attention immediately focused on him. She placed a hand on his thigh and leaned in.

“Is everything okay?” she asked him with quiet worry.

Oh God, she could see right through him.

He wiped at his mouth, hoping to erase any evidence of Yaoyorozu’s disgusting act, and leaned in to her ear to explain.

It was at that moment the principal took the stage.

His words were drowned out by Nezu's voice as he cheerily welcomed everyone to the special evening.

Shouto stared in Ani's eyes growing wide as they searched his.

She knew. She knew. She could see it on him, even though he wiped away the vile evidence, she could still see it. He could feel it.

Her features we’re imploring him, begging for an explanation.

“Shouto, we have to talk,” she whispered urgently and he could see she was prepared to leave the dinner right them and there but Recovery Girl's voice took the microphone.

Ani froze.

 

As soon as Shouto sat down, Ani could see it on him. All the worry, the angst, the fear. It mixed with the fog that had been closing in around her all night and she realized the attack was imminent. She was in great danger.

Maybe they all were.

She reached for his hand, ready to pull him out of the dinner speeches happening or not so she could ask him what was going to happen and how they could brace themselves for it.

“Shouto, we have to talk.”

But Recovery Girl’s voice cut through the fog of her thick emotions and locked her in place.

“Thank you all for coming…from my old students now professional heroes saving the world, to patients I’ve helped along the way and the healthcare professionals who have been by my side all this time. Thank you. All of you.” Joyful quiet covered the room but Ani's heart threatened to beat out of her chest. “There are several special people I'd like to thank, not only for the roles they've played in my life…but also to make you all squirm a little before you get your next drink.”

A ripple of laughter passed through the room but didn’t touch Ani. And by the look on his face, it didn’t touch Shouto either.

“First off, I'd like to formally introduce all of you to my successor, the person who made this whole thing possible—finally giving me a chance to retire—”

Oh no. Oh nononononono.

Ani did not want to be in any kind of spotlight. Not on a normal day and certainly not when she was feeling like this.

“—Miss Shida Ani!”

An actual spotlight, blinding and intense, popped to Ani and she rose obligatorily from her chair giving a nervous smile to the room. There was a round of applause and welcome for her and she caught Recovery Girl's eye.

The old hero recognized discomfort she saw it.

She quickly reclaimed the crowd’s attention. “Alright, alright. Don’t get too excited for that whole 'out-with-the-old-in-with-the-new' thing just yet. I’m still here.” Another laugh across the crowd.

Mercifully the spotlight went off and Ani sat back down glistening with panic. “Shouto, I need to talk to you,” Ani whispered urgently to his ear.

“Not right now,” he murmured watching Recovery Girl with an eerie focus.

Wait. Did he gulp?

What the fuck. The must be bad. Ani began glancing nervously around the room looking for a threat that she couldn’t see. That she wasn’t trained to see.

Was she really qualified to work at a hero school?

 

 

A pit dropped in Shouto’s stomach. He couldn’t believe he had just chickened out.

Now that he was here, among all these pro-heroes, he began to worry again and the self-doubt came back with a vengeance.

What if Ani really was getting bored with him?!

What if she wanted this job because it was more exciting than her job at his agency? She had basically said so, hadn’t she?

What if she was going to break up with him now that she was moving to UA?

He definitely did not want to part ways and couldn’t imagine how life without her but what if she was having doubts…And found out about the kiss.

The kiss.

His heart fell out of his chest at the thought of Ani finding out and not believing him and thinking he had feelings for Yaoyorozu or worse: had been cheating on her with Yaoyorozu. His eyes skittered around the room trying to see if there was a face he recognized. If maybe there had been someone who saw them in the hallway and he could remember their face and talk to them before they started spreading rumors.

Then he could talk to Ani first and explain it without others meddling in their affairs.

No. For fucks sake he did not just use the word affair in this situation

There was NO GODDAMNED AFFAIR.

Ani was still watching him and for once he wished she couldn’t read him so easily.

 

 

Butterflies we’re having a field day in Ani's stomach. Shouto was seriously not okay.

The crowded ‘awww-ed’ at one of Recovery Girl’s anecdotes and Ani knew she should be paying attention to this very important event but she felt like she was drowning.

She had never felt so vulnerable before.

 

 

~

 

"For fuck's sake," Ryoshi lamented with irritation as she watched the text messages pop in one after another.

You were so right.

This is sooo easy.

And so much fun!

Holy shit, it was like this fucking novice was live-tweeting the whole goddamned event.

I wish you were here to see this!

Ryoshi smiled smugly to herself. Oh...I am, she thought without sending a response. She looked up from her phone across the assembled group waiting for her signal. Another text came in and she saw the words she had been waiting for:

They are ripe for the reaping ᕙ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕗ

Chapter 86: Ashes to Dust

Chapter Text

There were a few more speeches after Recovery Girl finished thanking people; dinner was served in that time.

Ani couldn’t remember what the food tasted like. Or the dessert. Too bad...it all looked good. But any bite she took turned to ash on her tongue with Shouto next to her, unable to meet her eye. He was quiet, answering questions when asked and otherwise listening intently to the conversations happening at the table. Normal. Too normal.

At some point Ani crossed her legs and gently brushed Shouto’s leg with her foot, trying to close this emotional distance she was feeling and—

He jumped.

...he fucking...jumped.

Ani pulled back immediately. Terror electrified her nerves: if the danger was enough to make Shouto jumpy then there was no chance for her to make it out of this unscathed. She forced herself to take deep breaths and remain calm as if everything was going to be alright when she was really drowning inside. Her doubt and vulnerabilitiy crashed over her in waves.

As soon as the dinner plates were picked up and cleared away Shouto cleared his throat. “I have to make quick phone call, I’ll be right back.”

Ani stood up with him. “I’ll come with you, I could use a—”

“No.” Shouto’s voice was like a slap and it made Ani’s heart race. At least half of their table looked up involuntarily and then glanced away in awkwardness. “I...I mean it’s private.”

“Oh,” Ani said feeling admonished. She forced a smile. “Of course.”

So he wasn’t even going to tell her....it was that bad.

Shouto walked away and she slowly sank back down to her seat as everyone else avoided looking at her. Endeavor was engrossed in some conversation with the paperwork man. What was his name? She couldn’t remember. And if she couldn’t remember his name she certainly had no place trying to participate in their conversation.

Her eyes fell to Shouto’s empty seat up.

No matter how bad it was...she needed to know.

 

Shouto felt like was going to suffocate from guilt and the moment Ani brushed his leg he nearly had a heart attack. Every moment wasted here was a moment he wasn’t able to....able to what? What could he possibly do about this?

He didn’t know but he needed to do something.

And he needed help.

“I have to make a quick phone call,” he explained. “I’ll be right back.”

Ani, smiling, loyal, and trusting as ever, rose and said “I’ll come with you.”

Panic flared in Shouto and without thinking he said “No.” The look on her face physically hurt him. He realized he just cut her off. “I...I mean it’s private.”

She still looked hurt and guilt rained down on Shouto. He was just hurting her more and more tonight. Self-deprication dragged him down a dark whirpool and he rushed away from the table before he could say or do anything else to hurt her.

 

After excusing herself from the table Ani left the ballroom using a different door than Shouto had. There were a few hallways she cautiously navigated, listening for him. She caught his voice when she reached the end of a very long hall. He had found a secluded dead-end from which to make his call.

“Exactly. She did it...”

Disgust dripped from his voice like venom. And Ani was scared...he must have been talking about Hogo Sareta and Rua!

But...Ani hadn’t had a chance to tell him yet...

“No, not at all! It came out of no where and I ended it immediately...Vile. I wish it never happened...No, the whole thing...I wish she wasn’t here at all.”

Ani was having trouble breathing...what...was he talking about?

Who was he talking about?

“Of course I know that’s not a possibility. She had to be here....” He sighed. “Okay, that’s good....Yes...We need to get in front of this and make sure no one finds out....No, it’s not going to be a big deal either; over and done with tonight.”

Ani grew dizzy with each of his words. She put her palm on her chest...was she breathing at all? Her stomach flipped.

“When?...As soon as possible. Yes...I’ll wait for you call.”

He hung up his phone and leaned against the wall.

Ani quietly stepped around the corner and saw him waiting with his hands in his pockets, one foot propped on the wall, and his head tipped back. He was so handsome it hurt.

The memory of their first dinner together in her apartment flashed in her mind when she saw his true, full smile for the first time. She’d felt it then, just as she felt it now: the vast inequality between them. He was handsome. Talented. Strong. And a million other things she was not.

Maybe he was realizing it, too...

“Sh-Sho?” She made herself speak, needing to understand. Needing to know what was going on.

He froze at the sight of her and she saw something unfamiliar in his eyes.

Guilt.

“Ani. What are you doing here?” His brow furrowed alarmingly as he looked around.

“N-nothing.” She gently touched the wall to keep herself oriented as her head spun. “Who were you talking to?”

“No one.” He visibly stiffened. “I...I didn’t mean for you to hear any of that.”

A pang of guilt struck Ani’s own heart. He did ask, afterall.

“You’re right. I’m sorry I intruded.” She spun on her heel and dashed back around the corner feeling like her heart was going to shatter into a million pieces.

“Ani, wait—” Shouto rushed after her and grabbed her arm. His own face was flushed as he was searching for the words.

His phone rang.

Both of their eyes glanced to the device in his other hand, back to each other.

She could see how badly he needed—wanted?—to take this call and his eyes crumpled imploringly for understanding.

She tried to muster it. “I’m going to back to the dinner now.”

He let her arm slip out of his hand, phone still ringing, as a cluster of waitresses came down the hall from the bathroom. Ani clutched the arm to her chest and kept her head down so the other women wouldn’t see her cry as she fled the hallway. She heard them squeal in delight as they came across the number one hero but it was too painful to look back.

Ani slipped into the now-empty bathroom for a moment. Just a moment. She would give herself a brief chance to cry over this strange night and then wait for Shouto while she kept by Recovery Girl’s side.

At least...that was her plan.

But once Ani was alone in the bathroom the distraught feelings felt different. Like dust motes illuminated by a beam of sun she could suddenly see all these thoughts and feelings of doubt in herself and doubt in Shouto. They settled and Ani realized how ridiculous she was acting. Shouto was the one person in the whole world she could trust more than anyone else. She loved him and he loved her.

He was probably already back in the hall waiting for her right now.

Without needing to wipe any tears away or wash her face because she hadn’t cried at all, Ani left the bathroom.

The hall was deserted.

See?

She had nothing to worry about.

She promptly returned to the hall, eager to see him again and figure out what the hell was going on tonight...Was someone fucking around with them?

The party had transitioned from dinner to dancing, most of the guests had crowded onto the dance floor under dim lights. Ani gave the mass of moving bodies a wide berth and paused.

Shouto’s chair was empty.

Her eyes quickly swept the large room, searching for the treasured mop of red and white hair but she didn’t see it anywhere. There was no chance he’d be out on the dance floor. It was hard enough to get him to join her, no way he’d go voluntarily by himself...yet she found herself slipping through the churning crowd, eyes wide and searching.

She still didn’t see him.

When she made it all the way across without a glimpse of him she returned to her table where Endeavor was still sititng and talking to...Umeji! That was his name! She quickly slipped back into her seat and they turned to her with amicable expressions of welcome.

“Shida,” Endeavor’s deep voice cut under the music. “Is everything alright?”

“Have either of you seen Shouto?”

The two men glanced at each other and Ani’s heart lurched. “No,” said Umeji with the shake of his head. "Not since he left to make his call.”

Ani’s eyes scanned the hall again. “He didn’t come back in?” Panic shifted her mind into overdrive.

“Shida?” Endeavor’s voice cut under the music.

What if...

What if the absolved weren’t after her this time?

What if these villains were coming after someone else...someone like...

Ani’s mouth fell open with horror as all the pieces fell into place.

All the negative things that Rua woman had been saying about and doing against heroes with that horrid nickname the Absolved gave her.

The way Hogo Sareta had looked at Shouto with such fear on that rooftop in Musutafu those months ago.

They weren’t after her this time.

They were after Shouto.

Chapter 87: Nothing

Chapter Text

Terror tremored through Ani as she snapped out of her trance and grabbed Endeavor’s arm. “I think something’s happened to Shouto,” Ani said in an urgent whisper.

“What?” Endeavor asked, his usually-scowling face muddled with confusion. “That’s impossible.”

But Ani ignored him; she popped out of her seat and looked for Hansha. She found her clone sitting with Bakugo at their table, leaned toward each other in a playfully intense conversation. Hansha looked up as she approached and Bakugo pouted sourly.

“Hey Ani, what’s up?” Hansha’s question began lightheartedly but fell as recognized stress.

Ani leaned in and urgently asked “what were you two talking to Shouto about before the dinner started?”

“What?” Hansha asked, brow dipping in pure confusion.

Bakugo snorted. “Talking about? We barely said hi to the half-and-half before he ran away.”

“It’s true,” confirmed Hansha. “We didn’t talk about anything.

Ani was trying to put the pieces together. She needed someone who could help her figure out what was going on. Someone who would understand Shouto, too. She saw the happy-go-lucky head of jade hair bouncing on the dance floor and left the two of them behind. Ani cut straight to the dancing pair: Uraraka was singing along to the music as Midoriya basked in her happiness.

“Midoriya.” Ani’s trembling voice peirced the music and he turned to her, switching to his hero-mode the moment he saw her expression. “I think something’s happened to Shouto.”

The freckled-face quickly stilled with concentration. “What do you mean?”

“Come with me, please.” She glanced at Uraraka who had stopped singing. She was almost glowering at Ani. “I-I’m sorry Uraraka-san.” Ani started walking away and heard Midoriya mutter a few words of apologies to his very miffed girlfriend before following after Ani.

“What’s wrong?” Midoriya asked as soon as they were out of the sea of people and among the tables but Ani kept walking.

“Not here,” she whispered urgently. The light of fear in her eyes had him following without question. As soon as they were alone in the hallway the words spilled out of her. “Ever since we got here Shouto’s been acting...off.”

“Off, how?

Ani remember who she was talking to. He was going to need details. “He was quiet. Much quieter than usual. It happened as soon as Recovery Girl asked me to come meet some people. Bakugo and Hansha went up to talk to him and they said they didn’t even talk about anything but it was after that he got tense.

“He was there one minute, then gone another. I looked around for him but couldn’t see him and Recovery Girl kept wanting to introduce me to more people so I stayed with her, thinking everything was fine but he didn’t come back until we all took our seats. I know Shouto doesn’t like to socialize but he will because—”

“Because it’s more important to be respectful than comfortable.” Midoriya’s eyes began to intensify with agreement. “Then what happened?”

“Well once he came back he wouldn’t even look at me. I don’t know where he went or what happened while he was gone but he brushed off my attempts to talk to him and when I touched his leg he jumped.” Ani’s eyes searched Deku’s eyes for any hope she wasn’t exaggerating the situation. “You of all people know how hard it is to shake him.”

The jade hair flopped as Midoriya nodded, brow furrowing. “Okay, then what happened?”

“He said he had to make a phone call and he practically ran out of dinner. And,” Ani cringed sheepishly. “I followed him. He asked for privacy and I know I ignored it but I couldn’t ignore my instincts that something was wrong. And when I found him, he...” Ani gulped. “He was talking on the phone to someone, I don’t know who, but it was about a woman. Something about being disgusted by what’s happened and ending everything tonight.” She wrung her hands together. “He wouldn’t answer when I asked who he was talking to and when his phone rang again I left him alone and I went to the bathroom but when I came out, the hallway was empty. I thought he went back into the party but now I can’t find him.”

Midoriya brought his hand to his chin and cupped his elbow. The machine of his brilliant mind was beginning to spin. “Any of those things alone would be concerning coming from him but all of them together are just downright wrong...” his voice dropped to a mutter.

Uraraka cleared her throat from behind Ani. “Have you tried calling him?”

Ani whipped around, startled by the brunette’s presence. She didn’t have a real friendship with this pro-hero who had always shown obvious preference for her dear old friend Yaoyorozu and she wasn’t sure how she felt about including Uraraka in this. “I don’t have my phone,” Ani answered. She turned back to Midoriya. “Shouto was carrying it for me in his jacket.”

“Oh, we can call him from my phone!” Midoriya’s phone appeared in a flash; Ani could hear it already ringing.

Shouto’s monotone voice came through but it was only his voicemail message.

Ani’s heart began to sink.

“Let me try again,” Midoriya said. Straight to voicemail for a second time.

Uraraka joined him at his side, hands folded behind her back. “Perhaps try Shida’s phone?”

“What’s your number?” He asked. Uraraka looked pleased he didn’t already have it.

Ani rattled it off and began pacing as it rang. Her own cheery voice announced her voicemail message.

The door to the reception opened and Iida came out followed by Tsu. “Midoriya-kun! We’re going to do a round of—Miss Shida-san! Good evening, would you like to join us for—”

“Iida-kun,” Midoriya stopped him. “We’ve got a problem.”

 

A few minutes later almost their entire class from UA had gathered in the hall. Everyone except one looming presence.

Ani gave the group an abridged version of the story and they were immediately splitting up, going off in different directions to search for the number one hero. Hansha insisted on helping, too, and Ani went with her and Bakugo. Kirishima tagged along, too.

There were a surprising number of hallways, even a modest second-floor with multiple event rooms and enough nooks and crannies to keep the whole class busy until they all ended up back where they started.

“No sign of him,” Sero said. “Did you have plans to go anywhere after this?”

Ani shook her head. “No. We were just going home.”

A quiet murmur threaded through the group. “Maybe he’s waiting there?” Tsu said.

“Maybe,” admitted Ani though she didn’t believe it in her heart. Shouto wouldn't just leave like this.

“Let’s just go back to the party and keep an eye out for him. He probably just went out for a walk or something,” Yaoyoruzu said with irritation. A part of the group started to break away, reluctantly returning to the party.

Uraraka turned to her boyfriend. “Are you coming, ‘Zuku?”

He blushed and glanced at Ani, whose eyes were on the floor as Hansha and Mina each wrapped an arm around her. “I’ll be right there.” Uraraka turned with a sour pout.

There were only a few of them still there. Kirishima, Bakugo, and Iida included.

Bakugo watched her with narrowed eyes. “Oi, Goldilocks...What aren’t you saying?”

She hesitantly met his eye and glanced at the group. “Shouto wouldn’t just disappear like this. Not without telling me first.”

“So where do you think he went?” Kirishima asked.

“I don’t know...” Ani replied. “But wherever it is...I think he was kidnapped.”

Bakugo snickered. “Kidnapped? Seriously?” He rolled his eyes until they fell on Hansha who gave him a cutting look. He dropped his expression to a pout. “I mean, come on. He’s a pro-hero and he weighs what, like, five hundred pounds?”

“I know, I know it sounds crazy.” Ani was too stressed to acknowledge the insult. “That’s what my gut is telling me.”

Kirishima looked around. “Was there anyone else in the hallway with you two?”

“N—” Ani cut herself off. The waitresses. “Waitresses. There was a group of women, they were waitresses! They came out of that bathroom” she pointed to a door down the hall “and came this way. They got excited because they saw Shouto!” Hope surged through Ani’s being then the rest of the group.

“So we find those waitresses—” Iida began.

“—we can find Shouto!” Kirishima finished.

As a group they navigated the hallways around the main hall until they found the kitchen where there was a constant stream in and out of workers. Kirishima pulled a waitress aside who blushed, eyes dazzling at the pro-hero and asked her for a manager. Dazed, she went off to find her. The short, no-nonsense woman came quickly to address the needs of the assembled group of pro-heroes and asked “what can I do for all of you this evening?”

Kirishima grinned his sharp tooth grin. “Well, we’re trying to find someone and we think a few of your waitresses may have seen him last.”

“Of course, I will ask them to come right away. Which waitresses?” The manager followed Kirishima’s gaze, along with everyone else’s, to Ani.

Ani’s eyes widened. Shit. What had they looked like? She had been so caught up in her churning doubts and worries she hadn’t noticed what they looked like! “I-I don’t know but they were in the far bathrooms only about fifteen minutes ago. So whoever was on break then?”

The manager’s brow furrowed angrily. “My people don’t use those bathrooms; they’re for guests only. They know better than to do that.”

Ani blushed, trying to assert herself. “Well...they did. Who was on break fifteen minutes ago?”

She pulled a small booklet from her back pocket full of scribbled notes and looked up with suspicion at Ani. “No one. Everyone’s been working nonstop at this point in the evening to get everything properly cleaned up.”

The group looked back to Ani as her face began to drain of color. “But...they were definitely wearing the uniforms...” She brought a hand to her forehead scraping for any detail she could offer to be helpful.

“Don’t you have cameras in this place? For security or whatever?” Bakugo asked flatly.

A flash of hope flared through Ani. “Yes! If we can check security footage we can see exactly who they were.”

The manager was clearly peeved at this request, not wanting to step away from the kitchen at this busy time.

“Please,” beseeched Ani. She clasped her hands together in front of herself.

“Who are you trying to find, exactly?” The manager asked.

 

The moment Shouto’s name left Ani’s lips the manager became righteous and proudly led the group to her office. She was, of course, happy to assist the number one hero in any way. It took a few minutes to find the exact moment when Shouto was on the phone and there was no audio but Ani could still hear his voice as if they were there again. Though there were multiple cameras in the building the view flicked to a different camera for a few moments then back to the first.

They watched as Shouto and Ani exchanged a few words; cameras switched. Ani started to walk away and Shouto grabbed her arm. His phone rang again. Ani said something and then walked out of the frame.

In real life, in the office she held her breath. This was it, they would be right the—

The cameras switched.

“Wait,” Ani said. Her eyes were scouring the screen. “They were right there—then!”

Cameras switched again.

“What?" Ani began to panic. "No. No!" Both times the cameras failed to capture the small group of women Ani had seen. Instead capturing only Ani as she left Shouto and went into the bathroom.

She leaned closer to the screen, willing one single glimpse of them. A lock of hair. A sleeve or shoe. But there was nothing.

“No, this can’t be.” Ani’s chest was tightening. Especially when the camera switched back and the hallway was empty.

Shouto was gone.

“This isn’t possible,” muttered Ani.

Except...maybe it was.

“Where’s the security footage stored?” She asked weakly.

The manager shrugged. “I don’t know. With whatever third party operates the security cameras? I don’t know if we’ve ever looked at the footage before. The owners did it more for appearances than anything.”

Ani slowly closed her eyes, hope fading quickly.

“Well...I didn’t see any evidence of my people anywhere near you two so I don’t know who you saw.” The manager stood up losing her patience again.

“Wait, can’t you look through the rest of the footage—to see where he went?"

The manager cocked an eyebrow at Ani then narrowed her eyes suspiciously. “You’re...his girlfriend, right?”

“Yes, why?” Ani asked.

The manager rolled her eyes. “As much as I’d love to indulge your insecurities and spy on the number one hero I’m sure he has better things to be doing than sneaking around you, just like I have better things to be doing, too. Namely my job.” She waved her hands at the group and shooed them out into the hallway. “If I don’t hound my employees, they’ll actually start dodging their duties.” She paused, mid-stride, seeming to remember the group of celebrated heroes who were in the group. “Of course...if there are any clear ways that I can help, please let me know.” She turned and went back down the hall to where a cluster of waiters and waitresses rushed back to work.

The group awkwardly turned back to Ani.

“Ani?” Hansha tentatively asked.

Ani clenched her fists. “They were there.” If the footage was sent across the internet to be stored with a third party, it was vulnerable to interception.

And Ani knew exactly who was capable of not only getting that information but altering it.

She shivered at the memory of that humanoid in the dark room where she watched helplessly from the floor.

“Maybe...but the video cameras didn’t show it.” Kirishima rubbed the back of his neck. “That’s just...”

“Super unlucky,” Hansha said. She wrapped her arms around herself and Bakugo wrapped his arm around her waist.

Ani was wracking her brain, trying to see what she was missing.

“Ani...is there anything else we can do?” Mina asked. “Anywhere else you think he might’ve gone?”

Ani shook her head. Her pink haired friend and Kirishima quietly stepped away, unsure of what else they could do.

“The party is going to be over soon,” Iida pointed out. “We should return for the last part and we’ll all keep an eye out for Todoroki as the party comes to a close. I’m sure he’ll turn up before we leave.”

Bakugo gently pulled on Hansha’s waist and, as she turned, she said to Ani “come get us if you can think of anything else, Okay?”

Ani nodded.

MIdoriya stayed, the only noise between them coming down the hall from the kitchen. Ani waited for him to give his own reason to leave but it never came.

Once glance at his face and Ani knew he was still bothered by the situation. “This still seems unlike Todoroki.”

“I know...” Ani swallowed.

“But maybe he is just waiting for you at home?” Midoriya offered.

Ani remained unconvinced. “Yeah...maybe...”

“Miss Shida-san, is there anyone I can call for you?”

She shook her head. “No. Thank you Midoriya-kun,” Ani said with a bow of her head. “Thank you for believing me.”

“He’ll turn up.” The jade-haired hero tried to reassure her as he returned to the party, too.

The stream of waiters and waitresses was slowing down as the evening was winding down and Ani felt a visceral loneliness. A few of the workers stopped to whisper to each other, glancing at Ani. Feeling self-conscious, she turned on her heal and went back into the hall.

She needed to remain calm. Clear-headed.

The doubts that had plagued her all evening were manageable now as she returned to her table from which Endeavor and Umeji were rising.

“Has Shouto come back?” She asked, trying to sound unbothered though she was really treading water inside.

Endeavor gave her a speculative look. “No. But I’m sure he’s fine. My son is the number one hero...what could have happened to him?”

Ani recognized how Endeavor’s eyes—though void of compassion—were absent of judgment and she didn’t feel rebuked for asking. “I don’t know,” she quietly answered the rhetorical question.

“Perhaps he didn’t feel well Miss Shida,” Umeji offered. “My own wife wasn’t feeling well and went home early.”

Ani nodded, hoping he was right. That they all were. Hopefully there was a simple explanation for how Shouto vanished and she could laugh this all off tomorrow.

She wrapped her arms around herself as the lights slowly brightened to signal the end of the event. Nezu and Recovery Girl took the stage to thank everyone one last time and Ani’s eyes swept across the crowd. Still no sign of him.

Ani waited awkwardly as a long line of guests waited to say good-bye to Recovery Girl. When most of the party had finally left Ani bid the old healer a good evening and turned to leave.

“Shida-san, where is Todoroki?” Recovery Girl looked around. “I haven’t seen him since dinner.”

“Neither have I,” admitted Ani. Principle Nezu and Recovery Girl glanced at each other.

The old woman placed a hand on Ani’s arm. “I’m sure everything is fine, my dear. But call us if you need anything tonight.”

“Yes,” Nezu added with a smile. “We look forward to your first official day with us tomorrow!”

“I do as well,” said Ani. She could only muster a tired half-smile in parting. She was grateful so many people had already left when she went to leave; it was embarrassing not to have Shouto nor an explanation for his absence.

To her surprise she found Dojire waiting by the main doors.

"Miss Shida-san," the loyal assistant said as he stepped up and looked around for the obvious missing piece. “Where is Todoroki?”

“I don’t know,” whispered Ani. She met Dojire’s eye and saw confusion in his features; Dojire clearly expected Shouto to be here, too. “He got up to make a phone call after dinner and then he just...I don’t know.”

Dojire frowned. “That phone call was to me. And when I tried calling him back, he didn’t answer.”

Ani’s concern rekindled. “And you tried calling him back right away, didn’t you?”

“Yes, once I had the conference call arranged.”

“Did he call you back? At all?” Ani asked, clinging to some sliver of hope.

“No,” Dojire fervently answered. “That’s why I came here. To talk to him directly.”

“About what?”

Dojire hesitated, loyalty taking over. “I’m not sure I should say.”

“Shouto...” Ani’s voice trailed off as she looked around the emptying hallways.

“Miss Shida, what’s wrong?” Dojire asked as distress rolled off her.

Ani felt like the hallway was stretching, every door getting farther and farther away as she lingered helplessly. “I think something’s happened to Shouto.” She quickly explained Shouto’s strange behavior and the sequence of events after dinner.

Dojire called the police.

 

There were only a few journalists still outside when the police arrived and even fewer event staff. Dojire, Recovery Girl, and Nezu were the only party guests that remained to talk to the police. They were surprised none of the other pro-heroes stayed to speak with them and seemed to take that as an indication that the situation wasn’t very serious.

Shouto was probably just waiting at home, like they all said.

Despite their disbelief they recorded Ani’s detailed account and searched the reception hall, much to the manager’s irritation who just wanted to go home.

The police found nothing.

The manager cooperated and showed them the footage—or lack there of—from Shouto’s last moments seen on camera. The police reacted much the same way the manager did but still dutifully collected a copy of the footage. Ani had a very strong impression they were only going through the motions to humor the number one hero’s girlfriend, especially since she seemed to be the last person he talked to.

This was Todoroki Shouto they were talking about.

The only thing that worried them was pissing off the number one hero for not listening to his girlfriend.

Ani stood on the stone steps with Dojire, Recovery Girl, and Nezu watching as the manager and the police drove away. They didn’t even file a missing persons report. All they left Ani with was a business card for the precinct so she could call in case she had any other concerns.

“Miss Shida-san,” Recovery Girl said kindly. “Would you like to come to campus a night early?”

Ani shook her head. “No. I need to be at the apartment in the morning when the movers come. Besides...” She sighed and looked up at the tall city buildings. “Perhaps Shouto really is home.”

“Let us hope.” The old woman patted Ani’s hand affectionately. To Dojire she said “you make sure this young woman gets home, alright?”

Dojire bowed his head. “Of course.”

The two pairs silently parted.

Ani followed Dojire to his car feeling dejected and exhausted. They rode in silence.

When they got to the apartment Ani leapt out of the car, almost before it stopped, and Dojire quickly followed. Ani’s heartbeat throbbed with every step she took. He’ll be upstairs. He’ll be upstairs. She chanted every passing second.

She got a copy of the key from the security desk and tried not to pace as the elevator rose at an achingly slow pace. Was it always this slow?

Ding.

Doors open.

Key in lock; step inside.

Nothing.

Chapter 88: Have you felt true hate before?

Chapter Text

The apartment was dark.  

Empty.  

It shouldn’t have been so surprising but Ani had let her hope grow without realizing.  

“Shouto?” she called out. Her voice sounded too loud, unnatural. “Shouto?!” she called again, louder, and it felt like the emptiness of their home was going to swallow the sound.  

She ran, shoes falling off in her hurry, to the bedroom, the bathroom and still nothing. Dojire was waiting by the front door when she returned in a haze.  

“I’m going to go back to the office,” he informed her. “Maybe he went there and forgot to call.”  

“Maybe...” Ani said.  

Dojire watched her for a long moment. “Are you going to be alright here alone, Miss Shida?”  

Ani nodded, unable to meet his eye. “I’ll be fine.”  

The assistant hesitated. “Here.” He took out his phone, changed a few settings, and offered it to her. “For any emergencies.”  

Ani looked at it without accepting it. “I can’t take that.”  

“It’s only my work phone, if that’s any consolation, and I’ve forwarded everything to my personal phone now. You won’t be able to see anything, private or work-related.” Dojire held it out to her again. “And I would much rather get in trouble with the agency for giving away company property than leaving you without a way to get help.”  

Ani reluctantly accepted the device. She knew Shouto would get upset with Dojire if he had left her here with no way to call for help...but she didn’t want his work phone. She wanted her phone. She didn’t want any reason she needed to borrow a phone, either.  

She wanted Shouto here.  

“Thank you,” accepted Ani. “I appreciate it, very much.”  

Dojire nodded. “I’ll send you a message once I check if he’s in either office. That way you’ll have a way to reach me, too.”  

Ani wrapped her arms around herself and nodded, unable to say anything else.  

“He’ll be fine, Miss Shida.” Dojire was trying to be comforting, Ani  knew, but he sounded like he was writing off her concerns all the same. “This is Todoroki Shouto, after all.”  

 

Once Dojire left Ani sank into one of the barstools at their island counter, the closest one to the door. She sat waiting, feeling like every moment was an eternity.  

The silence closed in around her.  

This must have been what it was like for Shouto when she had been kidnapped. And she had been gone for so much longer. She tried to clear her mind and remember the details of the evening. Anything she had missed, that may have seemed insignificant that would give her some clue. Some hint.   

She sat and waited, staring at the door, willing Shouto to walk through.  

 

Ani’s back was stiff when she woke up in the early morning before the sun had risen. She had fallen asleep in the barstool, slumped over on the counter where she would be immediately woken by Shouto’s return.  

But he never came back.  

He never went to either office, either.  

She dragged herself out of the chair, fatigue weighing on her limbs, and managed to shower and dress. She sat on their couch, still watching the door.  

The sun slowly rose.  

Ani wondered what it was like for Shouto the first morning after she’d been kidnapped...what the differences between their two experiences were. Their apartment brightened with the deceptively cheery sun and it’s false joy of a brand-new day. She regretted not having a hard copy of her contacts; she couldn’t remember anyone’s phone number besides Shouto’s.  

She couldn’t stand the silence anymore.  

She turned on the tv just to add noise to the cavernous space and started flipping through channels, not that she was looking for anything in particular. She kept channel surfing, needing the distraction, until something caught her eye.  

It was the morning program Shouto had appeared on all those years ago, when the photo of the two of them hugging during their rooftop picnic got out.  

Ani turned the volume up as the two hosts talked together for the first part of their program.  

“It looked like it was such a beautiful event,” the woman said. The color of her mulberry suit made her skin glow.   

“Well, for a hero who has spent her life saving others, she deserved no less.” The man gave a nod to the audience who clapped in agreement.   

“Speaking of the dinner...” The woman pressed her tongue to her top lip and held out her arm to brace the audience. “Did all of you hear what happened to our favorite pro, our number one hero last night?”   

There was a rolling murmur through the crowd.  

Ani leapt up from the couch, heart racing as she stared at the television.  

No.” The male host rested his chin in his hand, waiting.  

The female host rolled her eyes dramatically. “To start, at the end of the event police were called because Todoroki Shouto had left without saying anything to anyone."   

The man laughed. “Why is that problem? He’s an adult, isn’t he?”   

“Of course!” The woman cackled, too. “But reporters still on the scene said they saw Todoroki Shouto’s girlfriend still there, looking for him.”   

The man’s eyebrows rose slowly. “So he left without her?”   

“Yes.” She looked around at the audience. “Now... I know we rarely cover gossip from the late-night news but this...this was too much to ignore.”  

“Well, what happened?” The man prompted her playfully.   

“I don’t know if we’re even really allowed to show it!” She played as if she was reconsidering her choice.   

The crowd roared in protest and demand.   

“You can’t deny us like that,” laughed the man. “What happened?”  

She fanned herself as a picture appeared on the wall behind them.   

Ani’s mouth parted in horror and felt life draining from her body as the crowd on the tv show was going absolutely nuts standing and screaming. Some in anger, most in hungry appreciation. 

It was Shouto.  

He was laying down in bed—not their bed—and the rich red of the sheets contrasted dramatically against his skin... 

...so much of it... 

...because he was naked.  

His privates were barely covered by another red sheet but the rest of him was exposed for the world to see. Every muscle, in all of his glory, popped in the low light as he lounged in bed, arm folded back and his hand resting under his head.  

And more upsetting... 

...was the naked woman in bed with him.  

Her face had been so conveniently blurred and from the distant conversation Ani couldn’t really hear anymore she understood the photo was released that way...of course protecting the ‘innocent’ female’s face while revealing all of Shouto.  

The woman’s leg was resting across Shouto’s body and she clung to him like a lover, breasts squished up against his side—nipples conveniently covered—and her face was resting on his chest. Her long black hair cascaded out from under the blurred area revealing how much it was not Ani. 

And the look on his face... 

...This odd, unfamiliar expression of extreme elation. This twisted grin...It was an exaggerated illusion of his happiness. Absolutely not his real smile. Surely the rest of the world could see that, right?  

“Wow.” The man cleared his throat. “Looks like he enjoyed himself.”  

The woman fanned herself. “Talk about a happy ending.”  

Ani felt like the world was shifting.  

They couldn’t really believe that was real could they? 

From their conversation...they absolutely could. Ani sank to the floor like a blossom on the wind, tears already beginning to fall. But not for herself. 

No.  

She knew Shouto’s face better than anyone else’s, knew him better than she knew anyone else. And better than anyone knew him. Something was wrong, even if it was only painfully obvious to her. That expression of his wasn’t genuine and there was more to this picture than what the hosts were suggesting.  

“I’m just saying...” the man shrugged. “It seems like awfully suspicious timing that something like this happens the night before his girlfriend moves out.”   

“You think they broke up?” The woman’s mouth dropped and she placed a hand on her chest. “Because of her new job?!”   

“Who knows.” The man looked to the audience for help. “But with the rumors about his girlfriend panicking at the event last night about his ‘disappearance’--” he used his fingers to make air quotes “—I think it’s safe to say we know where he went last night.”   

How dare they... 

Anger began to pulse through Ani with every heartbeat. 

How DARE THEY.  

The anger surged to every cell in her body. 

Shouto was the most loyal, most honest person she had ever met. This was a set-up, a clear attempt to frame him as a dirty cheater and smear Ani and their relationship in the process. The anger evolved into a fury from the depth of Ani’s soul over this depraved injustice.  

Shouto was modest.  

He was respectful and respectable.  

He would never have a torrid affair like this and he would be horrified to know his body had been revealed to the entire world. Not because he was self-conscious but because he was a discreet person and the most unostentatious hero. He was the furthest thing from an exhibitionist! He was going to be mortified when he found out what they’d done. 

Ani glared at the tv as if she could somehow make the reporters feel her wrath. If she could somehow reach the through the wires and unleash upon the Absolved the purest hate she had ever felt.  

“I don’t know...For once I’m glad I’m not her this morning,” chortled the woman. She looked over her shoulder at the picture still on display. “Now her ...” she made a sound of approval. “I’d trade places with her in a heartbeat.”   

The Absolved were written all over this. No matter how Ani looked at the siutation all she could feel was the pain Shouto must be going through, knowing what it was like to be kidnapped and tortured. Whatever they had to do to subdue him for a picture like this must be so much worse than she ever faced and she prayed his strength would get him through. She wanted to leap through time and space and return to his side in that hallway and never leave it.  

She needed to do something.  

It didn’t matter if there were more qualified people to find him and rescue him. She wasn’t going to sit back and watch this happen to him so she called the one person she could. 

Dojire. 

Chapter 89: Do You...

Chapter Text

Ani spoke as soon as the call connected. “Have you seen the photo?”  

“...y-yes, Miss Shida. Good Morning.” He sounded tired. “We have.” She could hear voices in the background.  

“Are you at the office?”  

“I am.”  

“In Dagoben or Musutafu?” She tore her eyes away from the screen as they moved onto a different story and rushed to get her bag that felt small with only her wallet and keys inside. She missed the brick-weight of her own phone.  

“...We’re in Dagoben right now.”  

Ani paused. Shit. That was going to complicate moving to campus but it didn’t matter. She would find a way to make it work. “Okay, I’ll be there as soon as I can.”  

“No, you do not need to do that.” Why did he sound so curt and formal this morning?  

“What? Why not?” She paused, her foot halfway into a shoe.  

Dojire cleared his throat. “Because our PR team is already working on the situation.”  

“But...I want to help,” Ani insisted. “There has to be something I can do. Maybe I can—”  

“Miss Shida.” Dojire’s voice was quiet but firm. A tone Ani had heard him take with others but never experienced for herself...and it stung. “Do not come here.”  

She wiped streaks of tears off her face as though he could see the evidence of her hurt. He sighed and amended “I simply mean that you’re no longer an official employee here and the office is under a very large amount of stress. We want to stay focused to protect our boss’s image....And if there’s anything we need from you, we will call you.”  

Ani tilted her head back as if it would keep the tears from falling. “Oh...okay.”  

“Is there anything else I can help you with this morning?” So brusque. So businesslike. His words sank like rocks through her spirit.  

“Dojire...” she tried to speak calmly, clearly. "Do you believe what the news programs are saying?"  

He heistated. Deflected. “And what would that be?”  

“That Shouto had a sexual encounter with a different woman last night?” Her pulse pounded in her ears as she waited for him to answer.  

“...It is not proper for me to comment on my superior’s personal affairs.”  

Affair. The word was like a knife through Ani’s heart. 

“Oh...okay,” she repeated, feeling pathetic.  

“Miss Shida, if that’s all I must get back to work.” The voices in the background were directing questions at him.  

“That's fine.” Her voice was fading weakly.  

Dojire added “please feel free to continue to use the agency phone until your own is recovered.” As if it was going to turn up like a lost sock.  

“Thank you.”  

Dojire hung up without a good-bye and Ani’s arm went limp, phone falling away from her ear.  

Silence hung around her like a veil. She couldn’t help the sneaking suspicion that Dojire was so unhelpful because...because he thought Shouto was leaving her. Just like the hosts of that morning show. She yearned to have someone, anyone else’s phone number. 

Ani turned away from the front door and looked back across the apartment as if Shouto was going to materialize from thin air. The loneliness was profound. 

Security buzzed through intercom up from the lobby. “Miss Shida, your movers are here.” 

She went back to putting her shoes on with much less enthusiasm and purpose this time. “I’ll be right down,” she answered.  

Her belongings were waiting in a storage room just beyond the security desk; neither she nor Shouto had wanted movers to be trapsing through their apartment so they moved it down to the first floor earlier that week. Ani looked around their home one more time, everything about this feeling wrong, and locked the door behind herself.  

The movers were faceless bodies to her as they transfered her belongings to the small box truck and she remembered what it was like when she had moved out of her apartment with Shouto. Everything she brought had fit in a few small bags...and Shouto had been there with her.  

She wished he was here now. 

The safety and security of his arms, the loving reassurance of his embrace was what she needed as she numbly followed the movers and slid into the car waiting in front of the box truck. They pulled away from the curb and she couldn’t help but feel that she had left something important behind.  

 

 

 

Umeji greeted her with security as she arrived on campus, providing her with her official staff badge that she was required to wear at all times while she was on campus. He showed her to her new apartment which was on the third floor of the faculty housing. Of the four apartments on this floor only one other was occupied by Kayama Nemuri who appeared in her doorway dressed in a pink, silk robe that left little to the imagination. She eyed Ani over the steaming cup she lifted to her mouth. 

“Welcome, floormate!” She grinned after taking a sip. “It’s so nice to finally have another woman in this building.”  

“It’s nice to be here,” Ani said, smiling back though it didn’t touch her eyes. If Kayama noticed, she didn't react.  

“Well, I’ll let you get settled before we have some girl-time!” She flipped her hair as she turned back into her apartment and closed the door behind herself. Umeji snapped his fingers, irritated, at the movers who had paused in Ani’s doorway to oogle the older but still fit professional hero.  

Ani watched as her boxes of possessions were stacked in a neat pile in the living room. She was relieved Umeji was there to orchestrate the move...her head wouldn’t stop spinning.  

In the past twenty-four hours she survived an attempted kidnapping, officially assumed her new role as the UA nurse, Shouto disappeared, someone was sabotaging their relationship, and she moved into a new home.  

When the last box was set down Umeji paused before escorting the movers out. “Are you alright, Miss Shida?” His eyes held only concern. No pity or judgment. Maybe not everyone had heard or seen the photo from last night.  

She nodded. “I’m fine. Just tired is all.” He measured her expression before quietly closing the door behind himself.  

More silence.  

Shouto should be here. Helping her unpack the boxes. Figuring out where to put things so he would know where everything was when he came to visit. Spending the first night with here with her.  

Now she was going to be spending it alone.  

Her eyes flicked to the boxes. She was on her feet, locking the door and riding the elevators down, before she could change her mind.  

There was no way she could pretend like there was nothing wrong, that Shouto wasn’t being held against his will and tortured. Maybe even worse. She needed to do something, talk to someone, find some way to help. If nothing else, she needed to have more phone numbers then just Dojire’s. 

She was going to Dagoben.  

 

 

 

Umeji was on his way back to the staff housing when Ani burst out of it . “Miss Shida, is everything okay?”   

Ani paused. “Yes. I’m sorry to leave after just getting in but I need to go to Dagoben.”   

“Dagoben?” Umeji’s brow dipped. “Why?”   

“Shouto never came home last night.” Before she could continue she saw the faint color dust his cheeks. So he did know. Ani squared her shoulders. “I lost my phone last night with all of my contacts,” she explained, hoping he wouldn’t press for details. She didn’t want to insult anyone on her first day here but she would do what she needed to for Shouto’s sake. “I need to go to Dagoben to make sure my brother knows how to reach me and I can reach him.”   

“Oh, of course!” Umeji accepted the reason without question. “Would you like to borrow a school vehicle?”   

Ani grimaced. “Thank you for the generous offer...but I don’t know how to drive.”   

“I do. I would be happy to give you a ride...if that’s not inappropriate.”   

His offer was innocent enough but Ani wasn’t sure she was comfortable with it. “I don’t know. I don’t want to take you away from your family for the whole day on a weekend. Especially after your wife wasn’t feeling well last night.”   

He bowed his head politely. “Thank you for remembering, Miss Shida. She’s better now. She went to the gym to go take some classes this morning and my daughter has a study class until later.”   

Ani weighed his words as if there was an alternative but she didn’t have anyone else to call. “Okay. If you insist it won’t be a disruption to your family...I would appreciate it very much.”   

“Of course not,” he said and gestured down the sidewalk.   

Ani walked with him as he pulled out his phone and made a call to someone on campus. A sleek, black car was waiting for them in front of the academic building. Umeji held the front-passenger door open for her.   

“Thank you,” said Ani quietly. She was tense but the dark tint of the windows helped her relax a small amount. Especially when they pulled out into the city; Ani expected taunts and jeers and worse as they passed people but no one seemed to be able to see inside.  

“Where in Dagoben would you like to go, first?” He asked and Ani hesitated. When she didn’t answer, he prompted her again. “Miss Shida?”  

“The Todoroki Agency,” she quietly answered. From the corner of her eye she saw him stiffen and wondered if he was going to feel betrayed.   

“Are you sure that’s a good idea right now?” He queried, his own opinion poorly hidden.   

Ani stared out her window. “No. It’s not , but I need to go there.”   

An amicable quiet fell between them and Ani rested her head back, watching the cityscape slowly shift into highway with gratitude that Umeji didn’t try to ask her any questions. He queued up directions on his car as well as some soft music and seemed content to leave Ani to her own thoughts.   

As the Dagoben skyline approached Ani’s attention focused ahead, watching the familiar cityscape grow like it was welcoming her home.   

Questions fluttered through Ani’s mind but she was able to let them all pass without being consumed by them. She was going to find answers here, she could feel it. And if not answers, at least someone to help.   

 

“Would you like me to come in with you?” Umeji asked as they pulled up to the curb in front of the Todoroki Agency.   

Ani shook her head. “The press are already having enough of a field day." She looked up and down the sidewalk. "I’m surprised they’re not swarming the place as it is.”   

“Perhaps they think you’re still in Musutafu?” he offered but quickly added “not that they’re looking for you in particular.”  

“I don’t know,” admitted Ani. They exchanged phone numbers before Ani stepped out of the car and hustled to the familiar glass doors. She held her breath, unsure of what kind of greeting she was going to get but exhaled in relief when she saw Neto at the front desk. “Neto!”  

If Ani had expected a friendly greeting, her hopes were instantly dashed. The no-nonsense security guard eyed Ani with suspicion as if she were an outsider.  

“Is Shouto here?” she asked, hoping she was only imaging a scowl on the face usually void of emotion.   

“That’s not for you to know.”   

Her words stopped Ani in her tracks still a few steps from the desk. Again, Ani was experiencing the cold efficiency with which the Todoroki Agency was run that she had never been on the recieving end of before. Ani was still searching for words when a comforting, familiar voice came from behind her.   

“What are you doing here?”   

It had been so long since Ani had talked to M.I. since she hadn’t been able to say good-bye before she left. She whirled around, bright hope in her heart to see an old friend, but his expression was far from that of a friend’s.   

“What are you doing here?” He asked again, a roll in one hand and a drink in the other. He was either a part of whatever was happening upstairs and just taking a break, or was just arriving to work.   

Ani smoothed over the ripples of nerves in her gut. “I stopped by to see if Shouto was here.”   

M.I.’s eyes narrowed accusingly. “Stopped by from Musutafu?”   

“Yes.” Ani stared back at him, waiting.   

“You don’t even work here anymore,” he pointed out. “Go back to your new home. I’m sure Shouto will make the trip if he actually wants to see you.”   

“I think something’s happened to him.” Ani was trying to keep her voice steady as she searched for an ally.   

M.I. snorted. “Yeah.”   

“No, really.” Ani took a step toward him. "I think he was kidnapped last night at the—”   

“Are you serious ?” He asked in a vicious tone.   

“Yes.” Any hope she had was flooding out of her. “He was—”   

“Why don’t you go ask your new coworkers for help?”   

His raw emotion stung Ani’s heart and tears pricked the corner of her eyes. “If you see him today, will you please tell him I was here looking for him?”   

M.I. failed to mask his chagrin. “Tell him yourself. I’m not your messenger.” He strode past Ani and passed through security without a second glance. Ani slowly turned and watched him step into the elevators she had ridden so many times before. One more glance at Neto told Ani she wasn’t going to get anything from this guard.   

“Ma’am, Unless someone upstairs has a visitor’s pass for you, I’m going to have to ask you to leave.”   

Ani stepped back as if struck. Ma’am. Not even ‘Miss Shida' . Ma’am. Ani was a stranger here now. Though she was here only a few days ago something had changed and she was no longer welcome. Feeling humilitared Ani feld the building.   

Umeji was still at the curb, patiently waiting in the car as he hummed along to the music. He opened his mouth to ask her how it went but caught the words at the sight of her face.   

She was trying not to cry when she gave him her brother’s home address. “I’d like to visit him now, please.”   

“Of course,” Umeji said and pulled away. Ani could feel him glancing at her and prayed he wouldn’t ask her anything. She could feel her razor-thin composure threatening to break at the slightest hurt and she didn’t want to fall apart in front of this man. He was kind but he was still a stranger. She could cry when she got to Aino’s.   

With no way to check if he was home or not, Ani wasn’t dismayed when they drove down his block and she could tell he wasn’t there. She directed Umeji to the hospital.   

In the parking garage Ani offered Umeji some money to him so he could get himself lunch but he refused. Ani insisted; It would take her a much longer time to get up to Aino’s office  and find out if he was in surgery or not. She hadn’t trusted her voice to call ahead and talk to Aino’s secretaries who were part of the gossip factory in the hospital. She didn’t want to rush and Umeji had been so kind to help her. She wanted to thank him in some way so he finally relented.   

Ani navigated the hospital cautiously. It’s maze of hallways and stairwells were still engrained in her muscle memory and she was able to slip through without being stopped. And when she reached Aino’s office she was releaved to see the desks were empty: lunch time.   

Ani crept to her brother’s closed office door and leaned her head against the door, hoping to hear if he was inside or not.   

“What are you doing?”   

Ani half-screeched and jumped, back against the door. “Don’t do that!” She chided her older brother. “You scared me!”   

His eyes assessed her flatly. “I was walking normally, Ani. It’s your fault you’re so skittish.” He stepped around her and opened his door, letting her follow. He carried his own lunch to his desk and Ani shut the door to give them privacy. She sensed a heavy mood from him and it darkened the office.   

“Is everything okay?” She asked, suddenly worried about him and the cause of his state.   

He answered gruffly without looking up. “Everything is fine, Ani. Why are you here? Isn’t today your first day at UA?”   

Ani stood between the two chairs in front of his desk, watching him closely. “I moved in today...but my first work day is tomorrow. And the students don’t come back from break until next week.”  

Aino grunted in acknowledgement, angrily eating his lunch.   

She hesitated. “I’m here because I need your help.”   

“Of course you do,” he scoffed.   

Ani grimaced. “What’s that supposed to mean?”   

“It means,” he half-snarled, stuffing in another mouthful. “That I don’t see you, I don’t hear from you until you need something.”   

“That’s not true,” argued Ani.   

“It is true!” Aino slammed his fist down on his desk and finally looked up at her. “Let me guess, you’re here because your big-bad-hero-boyfriend cheated on you . Aren’t you?”   

There were so many emotions coursing through Aino’s eyes Ani couldn’t keep them straight.  

“A-aino...” Ani’s voice broke and she fought to keep her face from crumpling.   

“I have problems, too, you know, Ani.” He snapped. “But you wouldn’t know that since you left the ER here! You took that job with Todoroki and you never looked back. You forgot about me, all the time until you needed something. Now you’re taking a new job and he’s feeling the same thing I felt: abandoned.”   

Ani stepped back, grasping her chest as if her heart was going to fall out of her body. The look in her brother’s eye was like none she had ever seen before. “I-I’m sorry,” she whispered. “I never knew you felt like that.”   

“Yeah, well, I guess you just needed distance .”   

His words sliced through her, though she didn’t know why. She didn’t understand what he meant but she wasn’t sure he wanted her to. His attention returned to his meal in a clear dismissal. He was done talking.   

Ani turned, feeling hurt...betrayed...abandoned...and guilty. She had been treating her brother this way all this time and never knew...making him feel used and unimportant. Her heart was already in pieces after everything that had happened but this...  

...this turned whateveer remained into dust. She went numb as she closed his door behind her. Some small part of her mind was able to remember that she didn’t have her phone anymore but she couldn’t go back into Aino’s office. She took a piece of note paper from the closest desk and scribbled a note for him with the temporary phone number, slid it under his door, and vanished from his office like a phantom.   

 

Ani knew Umeji was waiting for her.   

He encouraged her to take as much time as he needed, assuring her there was no rush to return to Musutafu, and Ani felt guilty taking so long but she couldn’t help it.   

She needed to be alone. She was falling apart and she needed to cry in private. Her first thought was the boardroom with her favorite view—no, too risky to sneak in there during the daytime and it only made her think of Shouto. She went into a remote section of the hospital, a wing reserved for overflow when the hospital had a sudden influx of patients, and hid in a supply closet.   

The clincially sterile smell wrapped around her, a small dose of familiarity and comfort on a day when everything seemed to be going wrong. The tears came hot and large; she didn’t hold them back. She leaned her headback and stared up into the dark while she shook with sobs. Things were seriously fucked up.   

Ani cried for a while. She opened a box of tissues—she'd replace it later—and used at least half the box. Needing something, a sliver of hope to hold onto, she checked her phone for messages or notifications. There was nothing. Not from Dojire, nothing in her emails.   

She had been in isolation before...locked in a physical prison where she wasn’t allowed to see or visit anyone and was at the hands of a group of sadist villains. But this isolation...this sudden disassociation from her loved ones was swift. And painful. It knocked the wind from her lungs and left her breathless. How much of it had she done to herself?   

Ani pulled her knees up to her chest and buried her face, sobbing uncontrollably as silence fell around her again for an uncountable number of times in the past two days. Her head was spinning. Her soul was rotting. And her heart was vaporized.   

She felt like there was nothing left.   

A different kind of emptiness threatened to crush her...she began to slump over onto the ground when there was a voice in the hallway.   

“Don’t know why they have to keep the stupid things all the way down here...” grumbled the person. The supply closet door opened and bright light exploded in her face. “...Shida?”   

Chapter 90: ...Trust...

Chapter Text

Ani quickly wiped her face, knowing how pathetic she must look hiding in a closet sobbing, and looked up.  

“Toshiro?” She asked, brow twisted in confusion. She barely recognized the ER nurse she had worked with so many years ago underneath his long, black hair tied back in a ponytail at the base of his neck.  

“Are you alright? Are you hurt?” He asked, crouching down to the floor as he took in her crumpled state.  

“No, no. I’m fine,” she said rushing to stand up. Tissues fell from her lap and she staggered, light-headed from standing so quickly. He reached for her, to help her steady herself, but she clutched a shelf and held out an arm. She didn’t want to be touched or held or anything right now.  

He looked around at the littered floor that clearly stated the opposite of her words.  

“This is about...Todoroki...isn’t it?” He asked quietly, eyes on the floor.  

Ani’s face scrunched, another wave of tears. “I know how it looks...I know it seems like he cheated on me but I don’t believe it. Someone is trying to sabotage him. Us.” 

Toshiro remained quiet. Ani wrapped her arms around herself and shuddered with a silent sob. After an awkward moment, she wiped her face and quickly gathered the tissues at her feet.  

“I need to go,” she said more to herself than Toshiro who crouched to help pick up the dirty paper. She scooped them up before he could, already embarrassed and refusing to let him touch her trash. “I’ll get it.” She sniffled. “I’ll clean all of this up.”  

“Shida,” he said gently.  

Ani snatched the last few, stuffing them all in a trash bag, and grabbed the half-empty box, too. “I’ll replace the box, too.”  

“Shida.”  

“I’ll order more and have them shipped.” She stepped around him wanting to disappear.  

“Ani.”  

She paused, almost crying again at the compassion in his voice, and could feel his gaze on the back of her head but she couldn’t turn around. She waited. 

In the moment she gave him to speak, he mumbled “you don’t deserve this.”  

Ani clutched the bag and box against her chest, needing to be alone, and rushed away.  

 

Umeji didn’t ask questions when he met her back at the car. She had thrown away the bag of tissues and left the box in one of the restrooms but she couldn’t hide the puffy redness of her eyes. She knew he noticed.  

It wasn’t until they were back on the highway to Musutafu that he spoke. His voice was gentle, unjudging, when he asked “would it help to talk about it?”  

Ani shook her head. There was only one person she wanted to talk to and she couldn’t. All she wanted to do now was go home. Reality hit her and she realized that her home was technically UA...well...she would at least be alone there. She could cry and think in peace.  

The rest of the ride to Mustuafu was uneventful, the only break in silence when Umeji called his wife. Ani sagged against the window, unable to tune out Umeji’s half of the conversation.  

“We’re on our way back, now.”  

... 

Yes. Why does it matter?”  

... 

Umeji made a sound of irritation. “Because that’s what you do when someone needs help. Besides, I though you would be happy spending the day at the gym. You’re there all the time anyway.”  

... 

“Since when?”  

... 

“Well...good for you...I guess.”  

... 

“I can’t—no. We’ll talk about it later when I get home.” He didn’t say anything else after that which made Ani imagine his wife had hung up.  

“I’m sorry if I caused a problem between you and your wife.” Ani felt pathetic, like she was ruining everything she was a part of.  

Umeji sighed. “Don’t be. We’ve been having problems for a while now.”  

More guilt saturated Ani. She was acting as if she was the only one having a hard time. Everyone around her was fighting their own battles. She offered his question back to him. “Would it help to talk about it?”  

He laughed good-naturedly. “I don’t want to burden you. You’ve got enough on your plate right now.” He cleared his throat. “I mean, with starting the new job tomorrow and everything.” He cringed and focused pointedly on the road.  

Ani watched more highway pass. She wasn’t going to pressure him to talk about anything when she wasn’t willing to do the same.  

“For the past couple months,” Umeji spoke quietly, unprompted, and Ani didn’t stop him. “My wife has finally started getting out of the house...She’s been a stay-at-home mom for a long time now...but...” He clicked his tongue. “She’s changed. She stays out late...she’s always on her phone...I don’t know...We were not affectionate people to begin with but it just seems like...I don’t know...there’s a distance between us now that wasn’t there before.”  

Ani stayed quiet as she listened.  

“Lately all she does is spend time at the gym. I mean, good for her health-wise. It just felt like there was something else going on. And now, apparently she got a job there. Her first day was today.”  

“And you don’t want her to work?” Ani asked.  

Umeji shook his head. “No. It’s not that.”  

Ani sat up, catching the note in his voice. “What is it, then?”  

Umeji glanced at her. “It’s who she’s working for...that’s the problem.” 

“Oh,” said Ani. She wondered if Umeji was concerned about his wife being unfaithful in her new work place, if her new boss— 

“Illicium,” Umeji said with disappointment. “She’s working at Illicium now and doesn’t see any problem with it.”  

Illicium.  

The gym owned by the outspoken hero-reform-advocate.  

“Illicium?” Ani asked in barely more than a whisper.  

“Yes,” Umeji said without noticing Ani’s alert reaction; he was navigating through Musutafu back to campus. “The one owned by that woman who hates heroes? The one who wants to change how heroes are used in society?” Umeji shook his head. “The one who’s gaining support and could threaten UA and thus my job, our family’s livelihood? I can already tell my wife can’t see the issue with this situation...I guess maybe since she's quirkless UA doesn't mean as much to her? I don't know...I don’t care that she wants to work. It’s just...I’d prefer her to work somewhere that’s not at odds with my employer.”  

Ani nodded, some logical explanation for everything lost in a fog just out of reach. There was a connection here, she could sense it, but her overtired mind was short-circuiting. She barely registered that they were already back on campus.  

Umeji parked in front of the staff housing and Ani blinked, body waiting for a command from her brain. He glanced at her and frowned apologetically. “I’m sorry Miss Shida. Here I am complaining about...well, thank you for listening. I hope I haven’t burdened you with my personal issues.”  

Ani forced herself to swallow and find her voice. “Please, don’t be sorry. I hope you and your wife can work everything out.”  

“We will, thank you.” He gave her a polite smile.  

She gave him a small bow of her head. “Thank you for the ride today, I very much appreciate it.” 

“Please, let me know if there’s anything else you need. My family and I are happy to help in anyway, especially as you settle into your new home.”  

“Thank you,” Ani said again and climbed out of the car. She stood on the sidewalk for a long moment after he drove away. Then she numbly shuffled inside, grateful not to cross paths with anyone.  

Once she was alone, locked in her new apartment, she sank to the floor as everything from the day crashed over her anew.  

 

 

Aino got back to his office very late after finishing a difficult surgery. The patient was fine now...but he had been close to losing them. His secretaries were long gone by the time he walked in and that was fine. It was going to be easier to work without them here; he didn’t plan on going home anytime soon.  

Now that Hana didn’t want to see him anymore.  

He had gotten used to spending time with her, enjoying her endless cheeriness and energy especially after a long day like this. It was nice having someone to talk to...but that was over. She called him earlier this morning saying she needed to put distance between them with everything happening at her office with her boss. That word had stuck with him: distance.  

He’d said it to Ani earlier when she visited and his eyes flicked to the paper she had slid under his door that waited on his desk. He needed to call her. He’d said things that were unkind and unfair to her...things that blew his feelings out of proportion because he was feeling hurt by Hana. It was almost as if he subconsciously blamed Ani for Hana ending their relationship. Aino rested his head in his hands and tried to put his thoughts in order before he called her.  

The ringtone of his deskphone blasted through his dark office and he answered swiftly, fearful of who could be calling this late. “Hello?”  

“Heyoo big brother.” Right voice. Wrong person.  

“Hi Hansha. How’s it going?”  

She playfully scoffed. “Um, fine. How’s it going for you? I’ve been trying to reach you aallll day and you haven’t answered either of your phones once.” Her voice dropped to a mumble. “Geez even just a text message that you’re  alive would've been nice.” 

Aino smirked. “Yeah well...I’m alive. Happy now?”  

“Partly, yes,” Hansha answered with Ani’s familiar directness. “Now I want to know if you’ve heard from Ani at all.”  

“Ani?” He twirled a pen in his hands. “Yeah...she stopped by today.”  

“Geez. Both of you!” Hansha scolded. “I’ve been calling her all day too and she hasn’t answered anything either!”  

“Oh, I guess she lost her phone or something?” He pulled the note over. “She stopped by earlier to give me her new number.”  

Hansha whistled in surprise. “Wow. It’s that bad...Can I have it? I want to make sure she’s okay.” 

Aino’s heart sank. “Right...the whole Todoroki thing.” She must’ve been really hurting when she was here earlier and he did nothing to help.  

Hansha made an angry sound. “Yeah. Next time I see that loser I’m going to punch him in the balls. How did Ani seem when she was there?”  

“Not well,” admitted Aino though he couldn’t bring himself to admit what he’d said. He would apologize directly to her.  

Hansha sighed. “I’m not surprised. Alright, thanks for her number. I’m going to give her a call now.”  

“Thanks, Hansha.” Aino rested his head back and stared out the window in his office.  

She paused. “For what?”  

“For being a part of our family. We’re lucky to have you.” 

Again she fell quiet. “Thank you . Both of you. You didn’t have to take me in but you did. And I’m eternally grateful for that.”  

They held a tender silence together for a long moment. “Good night, Hansha.”  

“G’night Aino.”  

When the call ended he turned back to his desk and looked over her note again. A growing need to call her and make things right weighed within him but he knew Hansha was about to call. He would do it later.  

 

Ani sat, writing furiously in a notebook under the light of one lamp next to her on the floor; it was the only thing she’d unpacked so far. She didn’t want to risk losing any details of the whole weekend from the thwarted abudction to the dinner to this moment. There was something happening, something here that she was missing, and she hoped it would be obvious after everything was written down. Her stomach rumbled...she hadn’t eaten all day but she didn’t care. The only time she paused in her work was when her phone rang. A new number, of course, with a Dagoben area code—fog district—and she answered tentatively, worried it would be an angry older brother again.  

“H-hello?”  

“Ani! Fucking finally I got a hold of you!” Her own voice spoke to her and with such low blood sugar it was disorienting. “What happened to your phone?”  

“I...I lost it,” she offered. Technically, it was the truth.  

“Yeah,” Hansha snorted. “I had to get your number from Aino.” 

“Sorry about that,” Ani responded, mind half-returning to the book in her lap.  

Hansha’s voice softened. “It’s okay. I just wanted to make sure you were okay.”  

“I’m...I’m not.” She blinked away tears. “I just want to find Shouto and bring him home.”  

An awkward, confused silence came from her twin. “...why?”  

Ani took a deep breath, hoping at least one person would believe her. “Because I think he was kidnapped. I think he’s been taken by someone and is in trouble.” She could almost hear the grimace on Hansha’s face.  

“Ani...” There was a tone to Hansha’s voice that sounded almost...cautious. “I’m worried about you.”  

Great. Another one who wasn’t going to listen. “There’s no reason to be, Hansha. I’m going to figure out what happened.”  

“Ani, please,” Hansha coaxed compassionately. “Break-ups are hard for everyone. Sometimes you just can’t—” 

“Wait. What?” Ani cut in. “What are you talking about?”  

Hansha hesitated. “...Well, I just mean that sometimes people go into denial when their relationship ends.”  

“Wh-ah, denial?” Ani asked, dumbfounded. “My relationship hasn’t ended. Shouto’s missing.”  

“But, I thought he...” Hansha covered the phone and talked to someone in the background. “Yeah, I thought he broke up with you during dinner last night, and then ignored all of your texts...which is why I assumed you got a new phone number...to...” Hansha’s words slowed to a crawl as she sensed Ani’s distress. “...stalk...him?” 

Through clenched jaw Ani said “stalk. Him?”  

Hansha treaded very carefully, recognizing the anger in her original’s voice. “...is that not what happened?”  

“Hansha. Why do you think that’s what happened?” Ani’s fists were clenching so hard. She wished she could put her boxing gloves on.  

“...Because of your text messages.”  

“What text messages?” Her patience were rapidly evaporating.  

“The ones that are all over the internet?”  

Ani froze. “Hold on. What?” She dug out her laptop and quickly connected to the school’s internet. “What—” 

She didn’t have to search; it came up on the suggested pages in her browser. More than one article, too. It was the biggest news right now: the number one hero becomes single again, has a steamy night with someone knew, ex-girlfriend texts him all night. She clicked on the article with a thumbnail of texts.  

Ani’s ears rang as she read down a thread of increasingly pathetic text messages from her phone number, clearly displayed, to Shouto’s, also clearly displayed. She had never sent these messages. Nor had Shouto ever sent her one saying their relationship was over. But here was digital proof as if did happen and all the time-stamps had been removed.  

Her mouth dried out.  

Hansha was calling to her from somewhere and Ani’s voice couldn’t find any traction. If she thought she was isolated before...this was going to put her into her own universe.  

Absolutely no one was going to believe her now. These texts would make any attempt to find Shouto make her look unhinged. Deranged. A flawless strategy and execution on the Absolved’s part.  

Hansha’s voice came in and out. “Ani?....Ani!...What’s happening?”  

She felt herself mumble in response. “I just saw. The text messages.”  

“Wait...you just saw them? Ani, you sent them.”  

“No, I didn’t.” The walls of the room seemed to expand away from her. “None of this is real.”  

“...Ani...how could it not be real?” Hansha asked with serious concern for her twin.  

Ani knew what was going to come next. The Absolved were going to release information somehow, somewhere, about her altered memory and they were going to arrange it in a way that would make Ani’s memory seem faulty. She didn’t know how. She didn’t know when. But she knew that was going to be the final strike. One last piece they needed to ensure that no one would listen to Ani.  

“Hansha, listen to me: Shouto was taken. He had both of our phones. Someone is setting all of this up so no one will believe me. It’s okay if you don’t but please, please remember my words in case you can ever believe me: Shouto and I did not break up. Something happened to him and I’m going to find out what. Even if I have to do it on my own.”  

“What? Ani, please you’re not well!”  

“I am perfectly fine!” Ani’s voice grew louder. “I know Shouto would never do something like this. He is in trouble and I’m going to help him.”  

“Ani, would you listen to yourself?! This is just a break-up okay? You have your whole life ahead of you, please don’t do this!”  

“I have to,” stated Ani. “I will not abandon him.”  

“Come to your senses! You’re headed down a dark hole that...that you’re not going to be able to come out of.” 

Ani gripped the phone and it creaked in protest. “If it means I find him, I don’t care how far I fall.”  

She hung up and set the phone aside, ignoring it as it rang again. And again. She focused on the words she’d written and everything she had left to add. The villains tried to drive a wedge between her and Shouto before and their relationship survived, their love made it through and it was going to get them through again.  

It didn’t matter what the world believed.  

He only needed one person to.  

And she wasn’t going to let him down.  

Chapter 91: ...Yourself?

Chapter Text

With her laptop and borrowed phone as her only allies, Ani stayed awake all night reading everything she could about the Absolved and the League of Villains. She tried to write down everything she could remember about her time as their prisoner with as much detail as possible. She started hanging things from the wall, her boxes still stacked and mostly unpacked in the middle of her apartment except for those she had opened to dig through for supplies. She devoured a box of granola bars she found but she didn’t stop working.  

Even when the sun rose.  

It was her first official day of work today and she didn’t know how she was going to stay awake, let alone focus on prepping her infirmary for the students.  

After she showered, dug through the boxes to find more clothes, and dressed for the day she looked at the walls with fresh eyes.  

It definitely made her look crazy.  

Well...she just wasn’t going to invite anyone over anytime soon. That was fine.  

She unpacked the small coffee machine she’d purchased and set it up, poking around her belongings for a mug as the smell of hot caffeine welcomed the new day. When her phone rang—way too early to be Hansha, she knew—she glanced and saw it was another fog district number.  

“Hello?” She answered, fatigue thickening her voice.  

Ani? It’s Aino.”  

“Oh...hey,” she lamely responded.  

He was being awkward. “So...I talked to Hansha last night.”  

“I know. You gave her my new number.” Ani rolled her eyes. 

Well...she called me after you two talked, too.”  

Ani rubbed her forehead. This wasn’t going to be good. “Let me guess. You’re calling to talk me out of looking for Shouto.”  

He paused. “It’s not the only reason I called.”  

“Spit it out, Aino.” Ani gripped the counter, trying to stay calm.  

Don’t you think there’s...I don’t know...an element of dignity in just walking away when your relationship ends?”  

“My relationship didn’t end, ” she growled. 

Ani, will you just let it go?” He asked earnestly. “He broke up with you.” 

Ani’s mouth hung open incredulously and narrowed at nothing. “You know, Aino. Of all the people in the world...I thought you would believe me.”  

I feel like I don’t even know you anymore...” he said sadly. “I talk to your clone more than I talk to you.”  

“You won’t even listen to me? Give me a chance to explain everything?”  

Is there anything to actually explain?”  

Ani nearly exploded. “YES! THERE IS! But just like everyone else you’re trusting gossip news articles and rumors rather than your SISTER. The ACTUAL PERSON going through all of this!” Ani slammed her fist down on the counter as Aino stumbled over his words. “You’ve made your point, Aino. I’ve got to go.”  

She hung up without giving him a chance to answer.  

With a scalding hot cup of coffee she returned to her insane collage and stared at the image of Shouto that had been seen hundreds of millions, maybe even billions, of times since it was leaked. Ani couldn’t take her eyes off the expression on his face, fearful of what was to come next.  

 

The white medical coat she wore was clean and crisp. She would have treasured the unstained white fabric if she wasn’t detached from her body but she couldn’t feel anything. She moved about her new office with a numbness that left her robotic in her tasks. She was grateful students weren’t back on campus yet. She didn’t know how she could face them, or anyone, yet.  

She focused on prepping the infirmary and reviewing student files, thinking of Glace and Chojen’s efforts to do the same thing for all of Shouto’s heroes. She wondered what they were all doing...she found her eyes unfocusing as her mind drifted to another time.  

It was difficult to stay on task so she switched to inventory and gave her subconscious more room to churn as she completed the more menial task. She was surprised to discover a few pieces of equipment that were broken. She was running low on some supplies, too.  

After a few minutes of searching she found the purchase request forms and filled them out, preparing to deliver them to Umeji’s desk when she realized she didn’t know where it was. Good thing they exchanged cellphone numbers yesterday.  

He answered after a few rings, voice low. “Yes?”  

Ani whispered. “I’m sorry! Did I interrupt a meeting?”  

No, Miss Shida you did not.”  

“Oh, okay...is everything alright?”  

Everything is fine. Can I help you with something?”  

“I...I just realized a few pieces of equipment are broken and we need some supplies before school begins. I was going to drop off a purchase request at your desk to make sure we can get everything on time but I realized I don’t know where your desk is.” She waited for his response, starting to feel like she really was interrupting something.  

He sighed. “Unfortunately, I’m not in the office right now. I’m working from home today. I’m not feeling well; I must have caught whatever ailed my wife."  

“I see.” She grimaced. “How quickly are orders normally filled?”  

It can take upwards of a week, depending on what you need.” He was fidgeting nervously, loud enough that Ani could hear it over the phone. “I don’t live very far from campus so—if it’s necessary—you can drop the order form off here.”  

Ani hesitated. “A-are you sure?”  

Yes, but...Miss Shida our mailboxes are not secure. Since it is school paperwork you must deliver it to me personally. Do you understand that I might get you sick if you come to my home?”  

Ani smiled to herself. Sickness and injury were one thing she didn’t have to fear, thanks to her quirk. “I’m not worried about it.” 

I cannot offer you any hospitality, so please don’t be offended.”  

“No, that’s fine! I don’t expect anything and I won’t stay long. I just want to be prepared for the students before they arrive back on campus.”  

Of course. I’ll send you my address.”  

“Thank you! Is there anything I can get for you on my way?”     

No, but I appreciate the generous offer. I’ll see you soon.”  

Ani gathered her things, trading her brand-new labcoat for the plain, oversized sweatshirt of Shouto’s she had brought from home, and quickly left the office. She didn’t want to cause problems for Umeji today especially after he had gone out of his way to help her yesterday...glancing at the directions she saw he was several blocks from campus. In the time she would wait for a cab she could probably walk there and back but it was a risk. She slung her purse on underneath the sweatshirt as she reached the edge of campus and pulled the hood up over her head, hoping to conceal any recognizable part of herself.  

She walked out at as normal of a pace as she could manage to avoid drawing attention. If anyone recognized her, press or beligerant fan or—in the worst case—a villain, she was indefensible.  

She kept her eyes down with one headphone in her ear following the directions; the other hung casually and bounced with every step she took through the city. Every sound of the city felt brash and intrusive but no one paid her any mind. She was just another faceless pedestrian in this sea of bustling life as everyone else went about their days. Workers reparing streets. The occasional student ditching class. Shopkeepers, restaurants, and parks all ebbed and flowed with the city’s natural rhythm.  

A line of sweat formed at her hairline; she was almost there. She bumped someone’s shoulder.  

“Hey! Watch where you’re going!”  

“Sorry!” Ani said, bowing to keep her face out of sight. Was she always so clumsy? So awkward? When had she become such a cowering shell of a person?!  

At last she reached Umeji’s apartment building and went inside. Separated from the noisy world by the stairwell door as it closed she exhaled, leaning against the wall and took a moment. She made it. No one saw her. She wiped her forehead and began climbing the stairs but didn’t lower her hood, not until she had found Umeji’s door, knocked, and he let her in.  

Once the door was closed behind her she dropped her hood and greeted Umeji with a small bow of her head. “Thank you for allowing me to bother you while you’re ill.”  

“It’s not a bother. I appreciate your dedication to our students to risk getting ill.” He waved it off and the motion lifted her attention back to him. He looked...fine. “Do you have the purchase request?”  

The nurse part of her brain was reeling and she didn’t answer for a moment. “Oh, yes! Here.” She retrieved the folded paper from the purse under her sweatshirt and handed it to him, watching him closely as he read it over and sat down on his couch.  

“So...” she said cautiously. “You said you weren’t feeling well?”  

“Yes. I’ve been feeling particularly run-down since last night.” His eyes were rifling through the written information with a trained administrative eye.  

“In what way?” Ani asked as she took a tentative step in his apartment.  

He looked up, brow furrowing in confusion for a moment as his mind changed topics. “I guess...tired? A bad headache.”  

“Do you have a fever?” Ani asked, medical training taking over. “Any nausea, coughing?”  

“No,” he answered with a shake of his head. “I guess I—”  

Before he could explain his symptoms the door opened abruptly and Ani quickly turned: Umeji’s wife walked in.  

Her cold, calculating eyes swept over the situation and Ani tried remembering her name—shit she met her only a few nights ago at the dinner! Fuck, so much had happened since then, the little detail was lost to her. How was she going to manage a whole school full of students and staff and care for them when she couldn’t remember this one persons name? Was she that inconsiderate?! And now that she was here, she suddenly realized how this situation looked! She had come to a coworker’s home—a coworker she barely knew, practically a stranger—without checking if is wife was there first with everything that was going on surrounding Ani and Shouto and the terrible reputation Ani now had she was bringing her issues here if anyone saw her visiting a man home alone she would be labelled as a homewrecker and cause so many problems for this innocent woman and her family!  

Ani felt like she was suffocating, unable to look anyone in the eye. She was fucking everything up so badly.  

“Jiri, did you forget something?” Umeji did sound really terrible. 

“I-I’m so sorry for intruding on your home,” Ani said feeling guilty for a reason she couldn’t place. “I only needed to drop something off for the school.”  

The woman made a disapproving sound of acknowledgement and to no one in particular, Ani said “thank you for letting me stop by.” She stepped around the scrutinizing woman and closed the door behind herself and walked back down the hall in a rush to get away from the innocent family before she could... 

Her steps slowed as she approached the stairwell.  

So she could...what?  

Ani’s back straightened...her chest no longer constricted by a whirlpool of self doubt. She could breathe easily again as her self-consciousness evaporated and she retraced her thoughts. She...she had felt all those terrible things about herself and there was an eerie familiarity to them. Sure, she experienced self-doubt and critism before, especially when she made a mistake. But...she had done nothing wrong here. And the intensity of what she just experienced was unnatural. Some deep part of her mind took control and, on instinct, she quietly turned back down the hall.  

Since Shouto had disappeared she had never doubted herself. Her love for him. Or his love for her. But... 

...She sidled along the wall next to Umeji’s door... 

The last time she saw him...and all during the dinner...she had been plauged with terror and worries that seemed to spin out of control...all on their own... 

She took a slow, silent breath, and tried to clear her mind as she stepped in front of their door and knocked. It whipped open instantly, as if Umeji’s wife hadn’t moved from the spot and her eyes narrowed at Ani.  

“Can I help you?” She asked bitterly.  

Ani opened her mouth to speak and felt it again. A rising tide of viscious thoughts about herself that could have very much been true but she was so self-absorbed she never had the awareness to consider about herself that she could be so intrusive and destructive in the lives of those around her without every knowing—her mind stuttered as she forced out the words. “I’m sorry f-for bothering you. I-I just...” the thoughts rained down, threatening to crush her. “I-I forgot to ask i-if I needed to take the paperwork back?”  

Umeji’s wife glowered at Ani before looking over her shoulder; she kept the door open only wide enough for Ani to see her but nothing else in the apartment.  

“Does she need to do anything else with that?" she testily asked her husband. A wordless reply had her looking back to Ani and she snapped “no. You can go now.”  

She shut the door without another word and Ani quickly staggered down the hallway. Each step releasing her from the strange quicksand of self-deprication that she had only experienced...  

The stairwell door closed with a thud the moment her mind connected the dots:  

Altered thoughts...at the dinner with Umeji’s wife.  

Similar vortex thinking here...directly connected to her presence.  

The last time she saw Shouto struck her like lightning.  

They had been in the hallway where she was experiencing almost identical tides of thought until she went in the bathroom. Once she was by herself her mind cleared. Just like now. And when Ani returned to her table...Umeji’s wife was gone... 

Which meant... 

She helped kidnap Shouto.  

 

 

 

Ani flew down the stairs. Yesterday, as they drove back to Musutafu, Umeji told Ani his wife was quirkless but—even if he really believed that—Ani knew she did. There was no doubt in her mind that Umeji’s wife had been fucking around with Ani that night at the dinner and, now that she knew that, it explained so much of Shouto’s behavior.  

His skitishness. Distraction.  

All the traits that were not like him at all were now understandable. Anyone could fall victim to a quirk like that if they were caught off-guard.  

And they had been off-guard for a threat like that.  

Ani reached the bottom of the stairs and was struck by another realization:  

Umeji’s wife was working for Illicium now.  

Which was owned by Rua.  

The orange-haired woman’s sickening voice slithered through Ani’s mind again. “ Though it surely wouldn’t have meant death for our little Yoyo.” Ani braced herself on the door handle, trying to keep all the facts in her mind clear and organized. She had to get back to her apartment and write all of this down; it was imperative that she keep every detail straight. She threw open the door and rushed down the street, thinking of nothing else except the discoveries she just made...without lifting her hood.  

She was only steps from her exit when she was suddenly surrounded by people.  

“Miss Shida! Do you have any comment on the end of your relationship with Todoroki Shouto?!” 

“Miss Shida! What were you doing in another woman’s home?! Were you here to see someone’s husband?!” 

“Have you broken up someone’s marriage?!” 

“Aren’t you supposed to be on the UA campus? Why are you out in the city?!”  

The volume of questions, the faces and flashes of light in her face and microphones shoved at her were staggering. She froze as people came at her from every side, trying to find a break in the crowd so she could make an escape. The questions, the accusations, kept coming. 

“Were you visiting old friends here or an old lover!” 

She tried to keep her head down. 

“What do you have to say about how you’ve treated the number one hero?”  

“Do you regret abandoning the Todoroki Agency?” 

“What was your last conversation with Todoroki about? Did he break up with you in person first or just over text-message?!”  

Emotions welled up inside of her as every one of these questions pierced a sore spot in her psyche. She was able to push through the swarm only to have them follow her with their stinging questions.  

From the corner of her eye she could see other people stopping to see what was happening, including people from the other side of the street, too. One face stood out, the person having stopped walking and staring with tangible distatse at Ani.  

Yaoyorozu.  

The pro-hero was dressed in street clothes that fully covered her form for once and the people passing her seemed to be more interested in the commotion surrounding Ani than the pro amongst them. The two women stared at each other for a split-second before Yaoyorozu turned without hesitation, offering Ani no help from the rip-tide of paparazzi.  

“Who were you just looking at?”  

“Who did you see?”  

“Did you see someone Todoroki had an affair with?” 

“Any comment on what you plan to do next?”  

“Are you going to keep stalking your ex-boyfriend?” 

“Do you have anything to say about how quickly the number one hero moved on?” 

“Are you giving up on Todoroki Shouto?” 

That last question got her.  

She had been doing her best not to engage these people and give them nothing. She didn’t want to add any fuel to the fire of gossip tearing through her life—and Shouto’s—but that one.  

That one she could not ignore.  

She turned, feeling a swell of strength from a place in her heart that she guarded with all of her being but she knew she had to tread carefully.  

Her words would be turned over and over, cut up and strung back together in an infinite number of ways that would come back to haunt her without a doubt so she chose them carefully.  

“How dare you.”  

The reporters seemed to lean away as she straightened and squared her shoulders, looking them all in the eye.  

“You should be ashamed. All of you.” It took all of her self-control not to scream or curse. “You invade the privacy of a man who has spent his life protecting people and publicly expose him for your own personal gains. You have brought shame to your families. To your employers,” she spit the words. “Show some respect for the heroes who put themselves in harms way for others.”  

For a moment the people attempting to overwhelm her looked distraught but the moment Ani stepped away from them, the spell was broken. 

Their questions and insulting accusations swirled around her. She pushed on and did her best to ignore them and the curious on-lookers as she hiked back through the city. Only when she crossed the UA border did they back-off and leave her alone.  

She could still hear their raucous questions but they grew quieter and quieter with every step she took until they were too far and the campus wrapped her in it’s protective existence. A sleepless night was catching up with her. The walk back to the staff housing felt like it was a marathon...her head was spinning. 

In the silence of her vacant apartment Ani’s thoughts calmed down. She put the unpleasant encounter on the streets out of her mind and focused on the most important thing to her: finding Shouto. All the details of her discovery came flooding back to her and she rushed to the notebook she left on the floor and wrote until her hand cramped. She had pages of notes scribbled down by the time she finished and looked at the recording with satisfaction. With a slap of covers, she closed the book and glanced over everything hanging from the walls.  

She needed to return to the infirmary now but she would get back to this soon...She was one step closer to finding Shouto. Even if she had to do it all on her own.  

 

 

Chapter 92: Take Root

Chapter Text

In her office Ani shrugged back into the crisp labcoat feeling empowered and went back to work with renewed focus. Out of range from that woman’s strange quirk, she tried to remain confident.  

Even when she got the emergency notifications about attacks happening around the city.  

Three bank robberies since the morning, a sabotaged train track which derailed the track and sent fifteen commuter’s to the hospital, and a group of students on a field-trip taken hostage. Midoriya had rescued the children without a problem but the number five and seven heroes had not been heard from after they responded to incidents in the field. 

Not long after that, a video of Rua went around repeating the message she was delivering all along: they couldn't rely on these heroes. Citizens demanded the city government lift the ban on quirk use in public; their number one hero had yet to show up...too preoccupied with his own sexual escapades. Ani diligently checked every notification, no matter how much it pained her. She needed to know what everyone was saying... 

But one alert was not about the news, any attack, or salacious rumor.  

Looking forward to seeing you again soon. Won’t be long now    

Ani stared at the text message from an unknown, blocked number.  

Who is this. She answered, wishing she had someone she could call and ask for help.  

😉 can’t wait to get my hands on you again princess  

Immediately after that she received another.  

Terrible isn’t it?...When your family and friends turn their back on you...And you’re left all alone...  

A clammy fear flipped her stomach…the Absolved and the League had found her new phone number. She rubbed her eyes so fiercely she saw spots.  

Damn it.  

Now she was even more isolated from the rest of the world knowing her phone would be watched by the villains. Before they could send her anymore antagonizing messages she turned the phone off, cutting herself off from anyone who might be able to help but also protecting herself from their threats and dangerous heckling. 

Somehow she worked through the rest of the day, exhaustion-be-damned. The sun was setting and she was still working, she didn’t even hear her office door open. 

“Oi. Goldilocks.”  

Ani’s head snapped up to see Bakugo standing in her doorway, hands in the pockets of his olive-green cargo pants.  

“Wow, you look like shit,” he said.  

Ani released a rough sound, a laugh that wasn’t fully formed. “Yeah. Nice to see you, too.”  

He kicked the door closed behind himself and sat down next to her. She continued working on her computer as he waited with a typical scowl on his face.  

“You ignored my calls.”  

“I turned my phone off.” Ani forced down the lump in her throat. “I was getting messages from the League.” 

“Of villains?!” 

“Yes,” Ani quietly answered as she continued working.  

“Why are you still here, then?!” Did you take that shit to the police?” 

The corner of Ani’s smile lifted in a sad smirk. “They used a blocked phone number…as if the police would have believed me if they didn’t.” 

Bakugo watched her work. “Aren’t you going to ask me why I’m here?”  

Ani shrugged without looking up; she tried to sound nonchalant. “I’m guessing Hansha sent you here...to talk me out of looking for Shouto.”  

“No dumbass. I’m here to help you.”  

Ani’s fingers froze over the keyboard. All the pain and stress and abandonment from the past few days flickered against her heart. She slowly looked at him. “What did you say?”  

“Hansha told me everything. I believe you.” He rolled his eyes. “For fuck’s sake, don’t look so surprised.”  

“You...you do? Really?” She was shocked; so many feelings began rushing through her that it felt like an emotional circuit breaker had blown. 

“Yeah.” 

“Why?” Ani’s eyes shifted around. “ How ? No one else in the world seems to believe me...so how can you?”  

He stared at her and for once he wasn’t scowling. “Because I seem to be the only other person in the world who knows how annoyingly, fucking sickeningly in-love the two of you are.”  

Ani’s mouth parted speechlessly.  

Finally.  

Finally, someone who took her seriously.  

Someone who believed her. 

She had felt so alone. After so many people had brushed off her concerns, turned her away...especially people she thought she could count on in a time of need... 

She covered her mouth, trying not to cry.  

“For fuck’s sake,” Bakugo grumbled, looking away with a roll of his eyes. “...you and Hansha, both. So emotional.”  

Ani nearly choked on a laugh and wiped moisture from her eyes. “It’s just...surprising. I thought Hansha, with all of my memories, would understand.”  

Bakugo smirked proudly. “She’s got something better now.”  

Ani looked at Bakugo’s haughty grin and laughed. An open, undistorted laugh of happiness that she really needed in that moment and the ash-blonde couldn’t help but chuckle with her, too.  

Ani wiped away tears of happiness and relief. “You’re so obnoxious.”  

He shrugged. “I just say it like it is.”  

“Yeah, yeah.” A smile lingered on Ani’s face. She wasn’t alone anymore; someone believed her and was willing to listen. To help. Her relief was palpable.  

“But seriously. Despite what everyone else is saying...I believe you.” Bakugo met her eyes directly. “I saw what that shit-head went through when you were gone...I know how much he loves you and I don’t think he would do anything like this.”  

Ani was at a loss for words. 

He pulled out his phone. “Remember a couple of years ago when I saved your life in the park? From those punk girls?”  

“Yes...” 

 “And you remember how you got hurt that night?”  

Ani recalled the night in the park and the seering pain that paralyzed her; she nodded. Bakugo put his phone down on her desk so they could both see the screen. It was the picture of Shouto in bed with the woman and she tried not to react as he zoomed in to Shouto’s muscular arm folded underneath his head. Ani waited, unable to speak.  

“Those spikes or spines or whatever that girl attacked you with. When the paramedic pulled them out...” He pointed to Shouto’s wrist, partially obscured by his hair “...it looked like that.”  

Ani’s eyes slowly widened. She had been so distracted by the nudity that she missed the cluster of swollen, green dots. 

“And once they were removed,” he continued as he watched her begin to understand. “You got all weird. Laughing and shit but you didn’t look right. It wasn’t real it was just...”  

“Like this,” Ani whispered as she zoomed out.  

“Yepp. Happy but...” He sat back and folded his hands across his chest. “Deranged.” 

“Oh my god...” Ani sat up, mind shifting into a high gear with another piece added to the puzzle. “That’s how they took him.” 

“Yeah,” he said, taking his phone back.  

“And I already know who else was involved.” Ani looked at him with hope daring to take root in her heart.  

 

 

 

 

 

If Aino didn’t have surgery that day he would have gone to see his sister. Since she wasn’t answering his calls, he would have sat her down, stared her in the eye, and talked some sense into her like they always did for each other.  

He glanced at his watch and tried to figure out what time he would get home if he went right now. With rush hour traffic on the way there it was going to be a rough trip. And he wasn’t sure how long it would take to talk to Ani...it seemed like she was going to take a lot of convincing to drop this whole thing. He rubbed his temples. What she probably needed was company more than convincing. Did he really have time for that?  

“Dr. Shida, there’s a nurse from the ER here to see you,” one of his secretaries announced over intercom.  

“About what?” he asked, not really wanting to be distrubed right now.  

“...He won’t say.”  

Aino stifled a growl. “Fine, send them in but I only have a minute.”  

A moment later the door opened and a young man stepped in; Aino could tell by his scrubs he was from the ER but he didn’t recognize him.  

“Dr. Shida,” he said with a respectful bow of his head. “I’m sorry for the intrusion.”  

“That’s alright Mr....” he prompted and gestured for the young man to sit.  

He showed his hospital ID. “Toshiro, sir.” He held up a hand in polite refusal. “I only had a moment to step away from the ER and I needed to give you these.”  

He set two small vials down on the surgeon’s massive desk. Aino looked at a strange, mucus-like liquid and...a needle?  

“And, what are these?” Aino asked, not ready to touch the small cannisters.  

Toshiro stepped back. “They’re for your sister. I need you to get them to her as soon as possible.” 

Aino’s eyes narrowed. “You’re going to have to explain before I do anything of the sort.”  

“I...” the young man swallowed. “I can’t tell you how I know this...but Todoroki Shouto was kidnapped. And they used this." He pointed to the little needle. "It contains a powerful neurotoxin... it's often fatal." He swallowed, knowing the gravity of what he was implying and pointed to the mucus. "This is the antivenom.”  

Aino carefully asked “how do you know all of this?” 

“I can’t tell you that.”  

“How did you get these?” Aino sat back and folded his hands across his stomach.  

“I can’t tell you that either.”  

Aino’s eyes narrowed. “What can you tell me?”  

The nurse grimaced. “Only that I risked my life to bring these to you...no one can know it was me.”  

Aino watched the young man closely. “Why would you do this, then? If it was such a risk.”  

Toshiro’s eyes focused on something behind Aino; he guessed the nurse was looking at the picture of his sister, Shouto, and himself. “Your sister...she used to save people when she worked here didn’t she?”  

“Yes. All the time in the ER.”  

“Not just like that. With her regeneration.” 

“Well,” Aino cautiously responded, uncomfortable with the direction of the conversation. “Yes...I suppose she did because there were certain patients only she could survive helping.”  

Toshiro shook his head. “Even more than that. Something above and beyond...like what she did for Ground Zero.”  

Aino’s mouth closed defensively; even though Ani’s abilities had been shown to the world and numerous rumors made their way through the hospital he still felt compelled to stay silent about what she’d done. 

“I know she did...even if you don’t answer...” Toshiro’s shoulders tensed. “My sister...she was on her way home from school several years ago...” His eyes pressed tightly shut and his voice grew quieter. “Just an innocent bystander. She should have died from those injuries...”  

Aino’s conversation with Ani as they gave Bakugo a blood transfusion popped back into his mind. 

I was so angry that this innocent child had to suffer...had to die as a casualty of some trite conflict  

It was a risk...but I didn’t want to fail them  

I remember all their names. I always will.   

“Did she know it was your sister?” Aino asked quietly. 

Toshiro shook his head, still unable to look at Aino. “She’s my half-sister, with my stepdad’s surname so I don’t think Shida knew.” He exhaled heavily and slowly opened his eyes. “My mom and stepdad had been by my sister’s side for days and they needed a break. So I stayed with her one night. Took a walk to stretch my legs late in the night.” A faint smile brushed across his face. “Hospital chairs are not comfortable to sleep in...when I was walking back I saw Shida leave my sister’s room and slip out of the ward unnoticed. Within the next few days my sister’s wounds had completely healed. 

“I started to watch your sister after that. How quickly she would regenerate from her own injuries, what they looked like...the strange coincidence of a serious patient’s recovery after one of her shifts that only I seemed to notice...It took a while but I figured out she was doing something. She never told anyone, either.” Toshiro’s eyes deepend with sadness. “When I talked about my sister’s recovery to Shida...I remember she blushed like she was guilty of something but did her best to play it off as a miracle. She never asked for compensation or recognition; never tried to get something from me in return. I realized...she was genuinely just...helping people...” 

 “So you risked your life...”  

“To repay her for saving my sister’s.”  

Aino looked down at the tubes on his desk and felt the profound gesture that came with them. It reminded him who his sister was, of how selflessly she loved and recklessly she cared for others. She was not some lust-crazed maniac chasing someone who didn’t want her. She was fighting to save, just like she always had. 

“Thank you,” he said fervently. “For coming forward with this.”  

Toshiro wiped his face and squared his shoulders. “Tell no one where you got them. And be discreet. Don‘t let there be a paper trail—nothing online, either. No texts or emails. You can only tell her in-person. I gave a fake name to your secretaries, too. Sorry about that but again, no papertrail.”  

“Why did you tell me your real name, then?”  

“So you would believe me.” Toshiro turned away. “And, in turn, believe her.”  

Aino nodded in deep understanding. “Thank you.”  

Toshiro left without another word.  

Aino pulled a black box from his desk and safely stored the two little vials in the foam that used to hold cannisters of his sister’s blood. Being the scientist he was he had so many questions for the nurse who risked everything to repay his sister but...as an older brother to a headstrong, valiant sister...he had to make this right. 

 

Chapter 93: Support

Chapter Text

Bakugo stared at the walls of Ani’s dorm. “You know this makes you look insane, right?”

Ani laughed as if it wasn’t an insult. “Yeah. Okay, here.” She flipped open to everthing she wrote down earlier that day and showed Bakugo.

He scowled in concentration. “The gym owner?”

Ani nodded. “She used a nickname that no one has ever called me except Hogo Sareta.”

Bakugo grunted in acknowledgement and Ani turned away. “What?” He asked, voice rough with a feeling Ani didn’t recognize.

Her eyes roamed the wall in front of her and she took a deep breath before turning back to him. “It’s still just...weird...”

“What is?”

She met his guarded red eyes. “Being believed.” She smiled weakly. “It was really hard being alone these past few days.”

“Yeah...well...I’m sure that’s what the villains wanted,” Bakugo noted, turn the page with a sharp flip. “Isolating your opponent is a way to ensure victory.”

It was meant to be a statment of the obvious but the words caught on something in Ani’s mind. One of the headlines from earlier in the day…it resurfaced. She opened her laptop and began scanning news and hero fan-forums while Bakugo was reviewing her notes.

“Hey...Bakugo...”

“Yeah?” He looked up at the strange note in her voice.

Her eyes unfocused. “Have you...heard about heroes going missing?”

“Huh?” His mouth pinched. “What are you talking about?”

“I heard on the news today the number five and seven top heroes—Alteron and Pandemic I think are their names?” She met his grumpy and confused but attentive expression as her mind raced. “They went out to help with some incidents but weren’t heard from last time I checked the news. Do you know if they ever returned to their agencies or followed up with police?”

His features darkened. “No. Why would I waste my time keeping track of some low-life hero extras?”     

“If the Absolved and League of Villains are out to finish what they started...They’re out to  kill Deku—and Shouto…” Ani’s eyes flicked to her screen and back to his face, wide with worry. “And  fans are talking about losing track of their favorite heroes....like Cellophane. And Pinky. Heroes responding to things happening around the big cities and getting lost in the mayhem..” Her pulse began to pick-up. “It’s not being mentioned anywhere on the main news...but…Heroes are going missing. Like they’re trying to cut down your numbers.”

“And isolate us?” Bakugo scowled. “How is that possible? The whole country would be on high alert if that was happening, especially to such high-ranked wanna-be’s.” He came to her side and watched the different posts and fan sites she was pulling up.

Ani’s mouth went dry. “M-maybe this is the Absolved messing around again?”

“There’s only one way to find out,” Bakugo growled under his breath. He pulled out his phone and sent a text to the group chat. A moment later Bakugo’s phone rang; he frowned grumpily at the screen.

“Why is your brother calling me?” He asked.

Ani shrugged. “I don’t know.” She pointendly returned her attention to more websites, still hurt from her sibling’s lack of faith.

Bakugo stepped away and took the call and answered in his typical way. “What do you want?” He paused. “Yeah...why.”

Though she was a few feet away Ani could still hear the tone in her brother’s voice, the urgency and speed at which he was speaking. She glanced at Bakugo’s face that was more of a mask to her than Shouto’s had ever been. Her heart was struck with longing for the love of her life; if it had been him taking Aino’s call she could have read everything off his face.

But it wasn’t.

She turned away, feeling like there was a vice on her chest.

“Holy shit,” muttered Bakugo. “Hey. Goldilocks.”

Ani caught her breath before answering. “Yeah?” When she turned around Bakugo was holding his phone to her.

“You need to hear this.”

Ani looked at the phone, not sure if she wanted to hear what he had to say.

“Ani? Ani?” She could hear his voice and sibling loyalty took over; it was enough to pull her in. She brought it to her ear and said “what do you want?”

Bakugo snickered; she stuck her tongue out at him as a flurry of words came from Aino.

“Wait—what?” She gave Aino her full attention and he patiently repeated himself.

“I’m sorry. Ani, I’m sorry! I believe you—I believe everything! That Todoroki was kidnapped, that you guys didn’t break up and you’re not crazy!”

The roots of hope extended deeper into Ani’s soul. “You...you do?” She asked, nearly brought to tears again with relief and reassurance.

“Yes, Ani, I’m so sorry.” Aino sounded breathless. “Where are you right now? Are you still in Musutafu?”

“Yes...why?”

“I’ll be there as soon as I can. Don’t go anywhere.”

“What? Why?”

“Because I have something for you. To keep you or anyone else from being kidnapped.”

“What?” Ani gasped and looked at Bakugo who watched her knowingly.

“Ani, I’m so, so sorry. I’ll explain everything I can once I get there.”

“Okay...I’ll see you soon.” She quickly added “drive safely!”

“I’ll see you soon, Ani.”

She handed Bakugo his phone as the call disconnected, trying to find a place for this discovery in her mind.

“What’s that face for?” Bakugo asked with a raised eyebrow.

She tapped her chin, slowly pacing in front of her wall. “I can’t imagine what changed his mind...or who...”

Bakugo’s face scrunched in concentration for a moment before his phone went off. Ani’s attention shifted to his hands as he opened the notifications.

“Is that the group chat from your friends?” Ani asked when his eyes darkened.

“Yeah.” He looked up, jaw clenching. “No one’s heard from Sero or Mina.”

Bakugo used their real names.

Ani’s eyes widened and her throat closed as the gravity of the situation hit her full force if Bakugo wasn’t messing around. “A-and everyone else?”

He jammed his fists in his pockets, unable to meet her expectant features. “Only half of them have responded so far.”

Ani’s mind began to shift into crisis mode: assessing, preparing.

All the blood she had replenished over the past two months was stored within the Todoroki Agency and she didn’t have any supplies here to make an emergency stock. And who knew what Aino was bringing her...Her resources were going to be limited. She grabbed paper and a pen and drew up plans as quickly as she could.

“Come on,” she said urging Bakugo to the door.

He scowled. “Where are we going?”

“To the support department.”

 

 

 

 

 

They could hear the sounds of construction, or destruction Ani wasn’t quite sure, far sooner than they were in the hallway for the support department. Traces of smoke and fumes hung in the hallway thickening as they approached the doors.

Ani heaved them open and tried to fan away the chunky air. “Hatsume?” She called into the workroom.

A cheery, near sinister laugh echoed from deep in the lab and a deep whiiirrrrrr pulled out the pollution to reveal Hatsume Mei’s ropey pink hair and wild eyes.

“Well well well!” She appeared from the fog with her fists on her hips. “Have you two fans come to check out my babies! I didn’t think students would be back on campus this soon!”

“WHAT?!” Bakugo’s instant aggression was almost comforting to Ani; a hint of something normal as the world around her disintegrated. “I’M THE NUMBER ONE HERO GROUND ZERO! NOT SOME SNOT-FACED KID!”

Ani rolled her eyes and decided to let it go this time; there were more pressing matters at hand. The scope-eyed woman scratched her head for only a moment before grinning and waving her hand. “Oh well. What are you doing in my lab, then? I need to finish my work!”

“That’s what we’re here for,” Ani said and stepped into the cluttered space. “I’m Shida Ani, the new—”

“Nurse!” Hatsume’s eyes twinkled in excitment as she rushed forward and took Ani’s hand. “Medical Equipment?! I haven’t had a chance to work on anything like that yet—oh the possibilities!” The woman began babbling excitedly to herself about the all the things she could make to improve Ani’s infirmary or better yet to treat injuries in the field.

Ani tried her best to cut in, not sure if she was ready for the woman’s intense energy to be directed at her again but something about the enthusiasm was endearing and reminded her of Deku. “Actually...Hatsume, I have a specific request.”

“Oh?” The heavily-equipped woman paused and turned back to Ani as she unfolded the drawing she made just before leaving her apartment. “What’s this?”

“It’s a portable, continuous blood transfusion device.”

“Huh?” Hatsume’s eyes lit up with an eager confusion to learn about something new. Ani described the parts, detailing exactly what she needed it to do.

“Is this something you’ll be able to make?” Ani asked, hoping.

Hungry enthusiasm pulled Hastume’s face into a huge grin. “There’s nothing I can’t make! I can’t wait to get started!” She turned and immediately started flying around the workshop.

“How long do you think it will take to make it?” Ani asked nervously stretching to get the woman’s attention.

“I’ve never made anything like this before but I give my all to my babies! I won’t rest until this is made!”

Ani reached out, a note of protest for the woman not to press herself on the tip of her tongue but Bakugo’s warm hand gently pulled her back.

“Just let the mad-scientist work.” His crimson eyes held hers for a long moment. “We have other work to do.”

Ani nodded. “Okay.” She glanced over her shoulder and saw the specialist already lost deep in work and let Bakugo lead her away.

 

 

 

 

Ani and Bakugo were hustling across campus when they heard a thunderous voice.

“Shida Ani!” They both turned to see Endeavor, facial hair aflame brightly against the night, approaching determinedly. “When did you become such a difficult person to get a hold of!”

Ani cringed. “I’m sorry Mr. Todoroki.” She bowed her head. “I lost my phone during Recovery Girl’s dinner.”

The old man stopped in front of her, arms crossed. “We need to talk. Alone.” He looked pointedly at Bakugo.

“I’m sorry, Endeavor, but we have to go.” Ani couldn’t look him in the eye right now, either. There was no way he had not seen all the terrible things being said about her and she wasn’t interested in finding out how much of it he believed.

“Why? Where are you going?” He demanded.

“None of your business,” Bakugo cut in. Endeavor opened his mouth to speak but Ani spoke first.

“It’s alright, Bakugo.” She fought to meet Endeavor’s mighty stare. “We’re trying to find Shouto. Unless…that is…you’ve seen him?” She added “or heard from him?” 

Endeavor’s blue eyes were painful to look at; they were the same shade and Shouto’s left eye though they lacked his son’s compassion and Ani would have given anything to have Shouto in front of her instead. “That’s what I need to speak to you about. I want to know what’s happening with my son and you are undoubtedly at the center of all of this.”

Ani steeled herself for more disbelief, though she had never thought of Endeavor as someone she could rely on. If he rejected her, well...better to just let him react. “Shouto and I did not break up at Recovery Girl’s dinner. I have not seen or heard from him since that night; I don’t think anyone has. Like I told you that night, something happened to him. And I’m going to figure out what.” Endeavor stared, unblinking, as a gentle night breeze drifted across campus. “If that’s all, Endeavor, we need to be going now.”

Ani turned to leave and Endeavor stopped her.

“Do you remember what you told me the first time we met?” His deep voice rumbled through Ani. The irony was not lost on her; she had been exhausted then, too. Running on pure adrenaline as she was now. “When I asked you what you could possibly offer my son…Do you remember what your answer was?”

Ani struggled to keep her heart in one piece and voice steady. “Love.” She faced him; the night breeze tossed her loose hair. “I told you I could love him and then you told me anyone could love him.”

“That it didn’t make you special.”

Ani nodded, remembering the conversation with surprising clarity. She stared at Endeavor, waiting for his point.  

Endeavor’s arms uncrossed. “You told me he chose you. And that made you special.”

 “Why are you bringing this up?”

 

 “I was wrong.”

 

His words were quiet, but she heard them all the same. “It does make you special...Because my son is not fickle, nor does he love or respect easily.”

 

For an umpteenth time that day Ani had fallen speechless.

After a moment of mental scrambling she asked “why are you telling me this now?” She was barely keeping it together.

“Because I heard what you said on the street today…and it reminded me of our first conversation. You met me head-on that day. With respect and humility…and most of all conviction.” He searched her expression. “Despite how the world is treating you…you haven’t lost those qualities. And you haven’t lost faith in my son.” Endeavor cleared his throat. “I have not lost faith in you Miss Shida and what you mean to my son. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.”

 

Endeavor bowed.

 

Todoroki Enji actually lowered his head.

 

It didn’t dip very low, just far enough to shift his eyes downward but it was a gesture of monumental value. Ani took a step back and covered her mouth, unable to keep any more tears at bay.

The hope that made deep roots in her heart began to sprout, daring to reach upwards. “There is something I need your help with.”

Endeavor stood up, looking at her with a touch of curious surprise. “And what’s that?”

“I’ve been getting messages from the Absolved and the League of Villains.” She pulled out her phone, hesitating for a moment before turning it on. “They’ve been sending the messages from blocked phone numbers…at least, phone numbers I can’t see…So I haven’t gone to the police.” She grimaced. “I didn’t think anyone there would believe me with everything happening and it seems like no one at the Todoroki Agency will even acknowledge I exist.” She measured Endeavor’s expression. “There’s got to be someone who can do something with the messages. Either at the police—”

“Or at the agency,” Endeavor said taking it from her.

Ani nodded. “Dojire let me borrow his work phone so I didn’t want to let just anyone have it to investigate. I know they’ll listen to you and at least look into it. Maybe they won’t find anything.”

“But more likely they will.” Endeavor safely tucked the device away. “And it could resolve this whole situation. How will I get in touch with you when they figure it out?”

Ani opened her mouth but Bakugo answered for her. “You can call me.”

Endeavor turned his luminescent eyes upon the explosive hero. “You.” He scrutinized the younger man. “What’s your role in all of this?” Tension fizzled in the air.

“Whatever it needs to be,” Bakugo growled, stepping up to Endeavor with a matching scowl.

“Bakugo’s helping find Shouto.” Exhaustion drained the reserves of Ani’s energy as neither male backed down. “Mr. Todoroki, you said you have faith in me, right?”

Endeavor’s eyes flicked to her for a moment. “I have faith in you. I never said anything about him.” He gave Bakugo a scathing look and unhappily exchanged phone numbers. Under his breath he snarled “keep your filthy hands to yourself, reprobate.”

Endeavor spun abruptly and strode away from Bakugo who was seething so hard Ani could see veins bulging in his neck. “Asshole!” He snapped. If Endeavor heard him, he didn’t acknowledge the insult. “Such a piece of shit…You really want to bring back his genetic offspring?”

He asked it rhetorically, and Ani knew that, but she couldn’t stop the tears prickling her eyes. His pout quickly turned guilty when he saw her sad nod.

“Come on,” he urged. “Let’s see else we can figure out while we wait for your brother.”

She wrapped her arms around herself and walked next to him.

For Bakugo, it was a painful walk. He wanted to wrap his arms around her as he would have done to Hansha…to shield her from every sort of pain she was facing but he knew he couldn’t. Not because of that old fart’s warning but for Ani’s reputation. He knew how despicable the press were acting, waiting for any chance to capture a scandal or anything that could be played off like one. Fucking vultures. His face was contorted and he looked away, fists clenched tightly in his pockets.

“Thank you,” Ani whispered so faintly he wasn’t sure he heard it.

When he glanced at her she was staring ahead, eyes hollow. He asked in a gruff whisper “for what?”

“For everything.” Her hand flew to her face, wiping away a tear in a flash. “I can’t imagine what this is like for you but I can’t imagine it being easy.”

“Stop doing that.”

“Doing what?” She watched him self-consciously from the side.

He trudged ahead and she did her best to keep pace with him but her steps were slowing. Exhaustion was catching up with her and it showed.

“Just make it to the dorm,” he muttered, still concerned about causing problems for her. “I’ll carry you once we’re inside.”

 

Ani half-whimpered, half-sobbed.

 

It was a sound of pure sadness that nearly broke Bakugo’s heart because he understood.

 

All she wanted was the embrace of the person she loved.

 

Chapter 94: Delivery

Chapter Text

Ani collapsed. They were only steps from the door but her legs gave way like all the things that had happened over the past two days, without sleeping in between, became a weight she could no longer carry.  

“Jesus Goldilocks!” Bakugo caught her before her body could hit the sidewalk and he said “fuck it.”  

Heaving her up without batting an eye he cradled her against him, no longer caring if there was anyone hiding somewhere to see, and they were inside in a flash. She was deep asleep, head lolling against him, before they were in the elevator. He tried to keep his mind clear as the doors closed them in together but the limp weight of her in his arms was the kind infused with absolute trust. He couldn’t smother the feelings rising inside himself fast enough as he carried her back to her apartment—a place that only he had been invited into so far. It didn’t matter to him that Shouto would have been the first. He wasn’t the one carrying Ani right now.  

Reluctantly, Bakugo roused Ani just enough to get her keys; he unlocked the door. She was asleep again as they went in and Bakugo looked around. Her bed had no sheets, the couch had no blankets, and he didn’t see any boxes labelled with linens.  

Fine with him.  

He’d hold her all night if he had to.  

The corner of his mouth twinged as it seemed like he might get to that exact thing when his phone rang, blaring out into her quiet apartment. He tried to answer it as quickly as he could but Ani was already waking up, looking around, and dropped her feet to the floor. Begrudgingly, he let her go and answered with less enthusiasm than normal.  

“What.”  

It was Kirishima...maybe the only person whose call he could tolerate right now. “Bakugo!” He panted. “Where are you right now?”  

He glanced at Ani. “Musutafu. Why.” 

“Because Hansha came to the agency and told me what’s going on. Why didn’t you say anything, man?”  

Bakugo watched Ani slowly sink onto the couch, falling asleep before she was horizontal. “What was I supposed to say.”  

The red-head scoffed. “Something. Anything! I’m your partner, man.” There was a beep in the background that Bakguo recognized from Kirishima’s car. “Where are you in Musutafu? I’m coming to help.”  

“We don’t need help.”  

Kirishima sucked in a tight breath, unphased by the dismissal. “You’re with Ani, aren’t you?” 

“What of it?” Bakugo barked with a quick glance at the couch; Ani was snoring. 

“Hansha is really worried about you, dude. She’s been worried sick waiting to hear from you.”  

“Tch.” Bakugo gritted his teeth. “It’s not your problem. Is this why you called me, shit-head, just to tell me that.”  

“No, damn it Bakugo! I told you why I called: I’m coming to help so just tell me where you are!” 

Grumbling Bakugo admitted “we’re at UA but I don’t—” 

“Great. Be there soon.” Kirishima hung up abruptly and Bakugo snarled. There was nothing his friend could fucking do right now...he was just going to get in the fucking way! A particularly deep snore rumbled out of Ani and Bakugo turned away at a twisting in his heart.  

Before he could spend too long focused on feelings he didn’t want to acknowledge and things he didn’t want to admit his phone rang. 

“For fuck’s sake,” he muttered and silenced the call when he didn’t recognize the number. They called right back. Bakugo glared at the phone as he ignored it again as if he could send his wrath back through the device. He was about to silence his phone when they called a third time but he decided whoever this was brought it upon themselves.  

With two quick steps he was in Ani’s room and answered “who the fuck is this.”  

“I’m calling for Ani! Is she there?!”  

Bakugo’s eyes narrowed—since when did he become a fucking secretary?!” That’s not an answer fuck-face so start. Talking.”  

“Ground Zero?! Sorry! This is M.I. from Shouto’s agency and I”m trying to get a hold of—”  

“Ani?” Bakugo snarled defensively. “What do you want.”  

“I need to talk to her—is she there? Please?!”  

Bakugo looked across the small apartment and watched her face twitch deep in a fretful sleep. “She’s unavailable right now.”  

“What? Endeavor said you would be with her!”  

“Oh, I am,” snapped Bakugo. “But she’s asleep right now and I’m not going to wake her up to talk to some fucking extra who turned her away.” The other man started to splutter and Bakugo just hung up feeling a sense of justice on Ani’s behalf. When they called right back he gave the phone a satisfied glance and ignored it.  

He returned to the main room and opened Ani’s notebook, flipping through everything and reviewing her notes on the wall. There were so many details she’d written down, more than he heard about from Hansha and he realized...most of this must have happened after Hansha was made. They were Ani’s memories alone.  

Someone knocked on the door and when Bakugo opened it he scowled at the scantily-clad pro-hero, previous teacher Midnight in her pajamas. If they could be called that.  

“Oh my!” She covered her mouth in sly surprise. “You are not who I expected. What are you doing here Young Bakugo?”  

“I’m not your student anymore. Call me Ground Zero.” His eyes narrowed. “And I could ask you the same question.  

She gave a pointed look across the hall. “I live here. I was just going to see if my new floormate wanted some girl-time tonight since I missed her last night.”  

“She’s asleep,” Bakugo answered flatly, blocking the view into Ani’s apartment.  

“Oh my...well. I’ll just check in on her later. Unless...” Midnight licked her lips, giving her full-grown student an up-and-down. “...You’d like to hangout?”  

“Gross.” He shut the door in her face and gave the sleeping Ani a frustrated look. There were all these people encroaching on what should have been his time to be her lone knight in explosive, shining armor. Midnight knocked again and Bakugo seethed. He ripped the door open, expletive ready to launch, and was met by the serious expression of a UA security guard. He frowned, assuming they were there to remove him.  

“Is Miss Shida here?” They asked, unconcerned with this pro-hero, already-approved guest.  

“She’s asleep. What do you need?” He did his best to keep the irritation out of his voice.  

“There’s a man trying to get on campus claiming to be her brother.”  

Bakugo left the door ajar as he went to the couch and crouched in front of the sleeping lo—woman. Sleeping woman. “Ani,” he said in a tone so gentle he surprised himself.  

Her eyes opened the smallest amount.  

“Your brother’s here. Security needs to talk to you.”  

She groaned and groggily rose from the couch, swaying on her feet and stumbling to the door. She hung on it’s frame and answered the guard’s questions until they were satisified and left. Ani started to fall asleep standing up again as she closed the door. Bakugo had remained close as she asnwered questions so when he saw her shoulders slump he scooped her up and delivered her back to the couch trying to ignore the adorable tousle of her sleepy hair. He brushed a few of the stray locks away...savoring this moment between just the two of them. He could sense the tide of people surging toward them and wasn’t ready to relinquish it. This time when she looked to him and him alone. She exhaled with the slow speed of sleep and his fingers lingered at the edge of her face. He hadn’t considered anything too carefully when he and Hansha got together...but now...with Ani’s sleeping form here in front of him...He was forced to face a cruel truth.  

Ani released another sleepy exhale that carried one hushed word Bakugo couldn't quite hear.

 

 

Bakugo opened the door without hesitation at the next knock knowing it would be Aino. The surgeon gave Bakugo a brief greeting before rushing to his sleeping sister’s side checking her pulse. He threw a few questions at the pro-hero who found himself answering with irritation. No, she wasn’t injured. No, she wasn’t regenerating from anything. Yes, she was just sleeping. No, she hadn’t slept at all the night before. Yes, no one helped her before Bakugo. No, they hadn’t heard anything from or about Shouto yet.

Bakugo began asking his own questions that came out in a flurry, angrier than he intended and Aino flinched at each one. He looked at his younger sibling.

“I was enduring my own heartbreak at that moment...but it’s no excuse. Our parents died when we were younger and for a long time we only had each other. I can’t imagine how badly I hurt her with what I said and did.” Aino fell silent with a pained, sad frown.

“I didn’t realize your parents died.” Bakugo leaned against the wall and crossed his arms. He wondered if Hansha would have known...if she would have talked about it if he bothered to ask her but it never occurred to him to talk to her. They had been busy doing other...physical...things. Bakugo flexed his muscles, trying not to think about how Shouto had probably already heard this. “What happened?”

Aino’s eyes filled with sadness, still focused on his sister. “They died in a car accident.”

“How old were you?” Bakugo asked. Though his voice as gruff it was clear he was trying to tread carefully in this sensitive subject.

“We were older...both in high school.” Aino sighed and turned to the pro-hero. “But we were lucky. With what our parents left behind we were able to support each other into adulthood. Not many can say they were so fortunate.”

Bakugo grunted in acknowledgement. “What did they do?”

Aino sighed. “They were researchers...” He stood up and stepped away from the couch, giving his sister space. “My father’s quirk gave him the ability to make stem-cells. And my mother’s quirk was based in her mind, giving her the ability to understand and solve incredibly complex problems.”

Bakugo’s brow furrowed as he realized he had never asked... “What’s your quirk?”

Aino’s eyes began to drift over Ani’s notes. “While Ani clearly inherited more from our father...My quirk is an evolution off of my mother’s. No name for it, but I’m able to understand all the nuances of the human body—including those changed by their quirks. It’s from that ability that I’ve become the Chief of Surgery at such a young age.” He gave Bakugo a smirk with a hint of pride.

Bakugo brushed it off, unwilling to be impressed by anyone but himself.

“What is all of this?” Aino asked, eyes taking in all of his sister’s notes.

Bakugo stuck his hands in his pockets and joined Aino. “She’s been going crazy trying to write everything she knows about the Absolved down. Trying to find anything to help find Shouto.”

“All of this happened to her?” Aino asked Bakugo as he read through the details of her experience...details he hadn’t known. “She was...tortured?”

Bakugo looked away. “Yeah.”

“By...Shouto’s brother?” Anger twisted the question and Bakugo huffed a breath out through his nose.

“Yep. Maniac older brother who got all fucked up by Endeavor.”

Aino clenched his fists. “Now I know why she never told me.”

“Yeh. That explains it.”

Aino scrutinized the pro-hero. “What aren’t you saying?”

Bakugo measured Aino’s expression before answering...“That psychopath is one of the ones who recently escaped.”

Aino cursed under his breath and covered his mouth, the pain of understanding how he’d treated his sister among all of this plainly written across his face.

“You’re here now,” Bakugo said tersely, not usually one to give support.

Aino nodded with a grim expression and a glance over his shoulder. "I just hope it's not too late."

Chapter 95: Knock Knock

Chapter Text

The next people to arrive were Kirishima and Hansha after an irritated security guard came back to talk to Ani again who could barely muster consciousness to answer questions. It helped that Kirihima was a pro-hero and alumni. When Bakugo opened the door for them Hansha threw herself at him, wrapping her arms around him in a way that he usually would have liked but now...her anxious worries and need to make sure he was okay only made him feel like he was...he wasn’t sure how it made him feel. Something had changed in the short time they had been apart and Bakugo didn’t want to think about it too much; he hugged her back. It must have been lackluster compared to his usual greeting because Hansha pulled back and looked at him.  

“What’s wrong?” She asked quietly.  

Bakugo shook his head and gave her a shadow of his normal grin. “We’re just trying to figure this shit out.” For a moment he thought she was going to question him further, the look in her eye showing she was clearly unconvinced but she let it go. For now.  

“Whoa,” Kirishima said as he stepped inside and saw Ani’s massive spread of notes.  

Bakugo set Hansha down and joined Kirishima and Aino. “Yeh.” He crossed his arms. “Goldilock’s been hard at work.”  

The red-head whistled. "So what's the plan?"

"Don't have one," Bakugo answered tartly. "We only just started going through the details of this whole thing before getting interrupted."

Kirishima grimaced as he saw the picture of Shouto that had been shown non-stop since revealed. "I can't believe they did this to him. This is just...sick."

"It's all sick." Bakugo glanced at his phone again. Everyone from their class had checked in except for Shoji and Mineta, besides the classmates they already knew were missing.  

The red-head caught the movement and said "the total's gone up. More haven't come back from the field."

Bakugo's jaw twitched. "Fucking picking us off like cowards."

“Wait...The Absolved is trying to pick off heroes?” Aino asked. Kirishima nodded in response. “Why is no one talking about this?! Why is no one doing anything about this?!!”  

“Oh, we want to,” growled Bakugo. “It’s just a different kind of fight this time.”  

“What do you mean?” Hansha asked, joining them at the wall.  

Bakugo just stared at Ani’s words as Krisihima answered.  

“A few months ago, when they attacked Musutafu, is it was a direct fight right out in the open. They took a stand on top of the HPSC to prove a point and because they thought they could win in a head-on battle.”  

“But they lost. And what...they’re going to fight from the shadows this time?” Hansha guessed.  

“Yeah,” Kirishima sullenly agreed as Bakugo’s nostrils flared. “They’re not coming out in the open anymore. They're pulling the strings behind the scenes in a way we can't charge in. So we can’t know what to expect. We might not even know what we’re really up against until the whole thing starts. We don’t even know how they’re taking out so many heroes.”  

“I do,” Aino spoke up and pulled the small black box out of an inner pocket in his jacket. He popped it open revealing the two vials and held up the one with the needle. “With this. Someone’s got a neurotoxin quirk.”  

“What?!” Kirishima’s eyes bulged. “How did you get this?!”  

“I can’t say.” Aino exchanged it for the thick liquid. “But this is the only way to counteract it.” 

“We have to contact the police and find out who has—”  

“Already did,” Bakugo cut-in. “A long time ago. It’s the same person who attacked Ani in the park with needles just like those.”  

Aino’s eyes fell in disappointment. “The police were never able to figure out who it was...they were unregistered and the police couldn’t track them down.”  

Before anyone could say another word Kirishima and Bakugo received a notification.  

“Oh my god,” Kirishima muttered. “The Dagoben city council just approved a temporary measure to legalize all quirk use in public.”  

“What?!” Bakugo snarled.  

Kirishima read the next part of the article out loud for everyone, including his fellow pro who hadn’t bothered to look at his phone. “After an extremely in-depth and thorough investigation the city council approved the temporary legislation in a show of trust for the public and gave all of it’s citizens the autonomy to protect one another. They are trying to convince the mayor of Musutafu and other major metropolitan leaders to consider passing similar measures to protect their people in this time of doubt in regard to the so-called heroes that have abandoned us?!”  

“What?!” snapped Hansha and Aino.   

 “That’s what they want,” Bakugo said in a dangerously quiet tone and they looked at him for an explanation. “If the Absolved can spread fear and create an atmosphere of distrust, they can slip through the cracks. Isolate people then turn them against each other—” 

“And it makes it that much harder for us to go after them,” finished Kirishima in frustration. 

Bakugo’s eyes narrowed in on a name in Ani’s notes.  

“Well...at least we know how they’re doing it...” He pointed.  

Odysseus. 

There was another knock on Ani’s door but Bakugo was too engrossed in his racing thoughts; Aino answered it.  

“Kacchan!”  

Bakugo’s jaw clenched. “What are you doing here.” He could feel the energy pulsing from Deku without looking at him, knowing he’d seen the notice, too.  

“The mayor of Musutafu is going to approve the measure. I just got out of a meeting with her and Superintendent Yekuro. I couldn’t convince them, Kacchan. They’re going to go through with it, too.”  

“How did you know I was here?” snapped Bakugo, finally turning to look at the jade-haired pro.  

“What?” Deku asked.  

Bakugo finally turned his fiery eyes upon the shorter man. “How did you. Know. I was here.”  

“I called your agency, damn it!” Deku snapped back, losing his patience with the blonde man. “Have some perspective will you! Do you understand what’s happening right now?! Do you realize how many people are going to be hurt by this?!!”  

Bakugo drew in a deep breath, veins bulging in his neck as his wrathful response came to the tip of his tongue—  

Another knock. 

“Who the hell is it?!” He raged, yanking the apartment door open with such force the hinges groaned. His rage halted, though undiminished, at the sight of a hallway filled with people. A mix of his old classmates including Kaminari, Uraraka, Jiro, Froppy, and Iida, UA faculty Lemillion and Midnight, and—at the front of the group—stood Principal Nezu.  

“Good Evening Ground Zero!” The chipper mouse said with open arms. “When I heard from security that UA alumni were coming to visit Miss Shida I was curious and decided to check-in on what’s happening. It sounds like we arrived right on time!” He walked into the empty apartment, ignoring the stack of unpacked boxes and took in the scene before himself. The rest of the group slowly came in, as Aino welcomed them. He and Hansha introduced themselves to many people they had never met before. The small apartment was quickly filled as everyone wove around each other to look over everything Ani had hung up on the walls and point things out to each other.  

Bakugo felt his rage simmer.  

All these people had no business being here in Ani’s apartment! They hadn’t been invited or even welcomed in and now they were combing through these incredibly personal details of her life. He glanced at her; she was still asleep through all of this so clearly she needed to sleep and not be disturbed by a bunch of fucking— 

There was another fucking knock and Bakugo was ready to blow.  

Aino opened the door and from across the room Bakugo saw Endeavor step in followed by three extras he’d never seen before but Aino clearly had. He awkwardly greeted them before their eyes searched the room, falling on Ani. 

“Katsuki?” Hansha’s voice quietly cut through the din as she appeared in front of him, eyes full of worry. “What’s wrong?”  

“Why are all of you here?” He seethed at everyone. Kaminari raised his eyebrows.  

“We’re here to—”  

“Why are you here!” He nearly roared and the whole group stopped to look at him. “Ani didn’t ask ANY of you to come here and you just barged right in! Like it’s your fucking office!” His heart was pounding, tiny explosions popping off the palms of his hands as he opened his mouth to continue the verbal barrage.  

“It’s okay, Bakugo.”  

He turned around, anger chilling, to see Ani awake. She was sitting up, gripping the edge of the couch as she stared at the ground. Purple bags hung under her eyes...anyone could see she needed much more sleep but there was a haunting hollowness in her pupils as if only horrors waited in her dreams.  

“It’s not okay,” he argued. “All these damn extras can leech onto the investigation elsewhere! You need to rest.”  

“I’m fine.” She lifted her eyes to look at him as if the movement took a great amount of energy and he felt like the rest of the room fell away. “Thank you.”  

He scowled, nearly pouting as he took her words personally and turned away. “Whatever. I’m sure all these extras are going to be real fucking helpful.” He started to storm away from his spot.  

Ani called out “wait! You’re not leaving, are you?”  

God. Why the fuck did his heart have to stutter like that. “Cool your jets, goldilocks. I’m only going to bathroom. I can't think around all these loudmouths.”  

There were a few snickers at the irony of his comment but all he felt was the relief coming from her that he didn’t want to think too heavily about. He stormed through the annoying bunch of people and could feel something—or someone following him.  

Sure enough he wasn’t alone when he reached the bathroom. Hansha slipped in with him and he hid his displeasure. 

“...hey...” Her voice was quiet. Reserved.  

It grated his nerves.  

Goddamnit. How could an exact clone of someone all of a sudden seem like a different person entirely.  

“I can tell something is wrong, 'Suki.” Her eyes deepened pleadingly. “What’s going on?” 

“Tch. Just irritated by all the vultures.” He crossed his arms and leaned against the wall; he couldn’t bring himself to look at her. Not when all he could focus on was what people were saying out in the room. Hansha stepped toward him, unfolding his arms so she could step into his embrace. She rested her head on his chest as she had so many times before but it just felt distracting now. More wrong than right.  

“It’s nice to see you,” she murmured against his right chest. “I’m sorry I didn’t believe Ani…or come with you. I should have been here.” 

Bakugo grunted with lackluster acknowledgement. There was a sound out in the room that caught his attention and he jumped out of the bathroom, jostling Hansha as he rushed to see what the hell was happening.  

“Please, please everyone!” Ani had her hands up, trying to keep the flood of emotion directed at her at bay. “I just want to focus on finding Shouto. All of this can wait.” The hollowness hadn’t left her eyes and Bakugo couldn’t stop himself.  

Unaffected by the gaze boring into the back of his head he cut through the crowd to stand by Ani's side. “Get it together, people!” He barked and there were several looks of irritation passed around. “And act like professionals!” 

Endeavor's lip curled in evident distaste and Bakugo resisted the childish urge to put an arm around Ani's shoulder. The hulking old pro, facial hair aflame, turned his intense stare on Ani. “Shida...The situation is grim.”

 

 

~

 

 

Jireta remembered everything about that night, especially the moment she knew what she was becoming.  

Although...maybe it wasn’t just a single moment.  

She had been thoroughly enjoying herself at that stupid dinner. Not because of the fancy dress Ryoshi took her to pick out and then bought for her. Not because of the best food she’d ever eaten in her life or being out with her husband. It was none of those things or any of the other insignificant details of that magnificent event.  

What gave her a chilling thrill was watching the two people across from the table as they squirmed under her influence. It was a rush she had never experienced before...and she liked it. They were entirely at her mercy and had no idea! It took all of her self-control not to giggle!  

She noticed Rua slip out between courses as waiters and a few guests casually wove through the tables and she was practically bouncing in her seat by the time dessert was placed in front of her. She wasn’t even sure what it was but it was by far the sweetest thing she’d ever eaten. Ryoshi was texting her; everything was in place and they were waiting for her signal. 

Her signal.  

God, that text message alone and the power imbued within it aroused her more than anything else in a long time. She bit her lip and practically inhaled the rest of her dessert waiting with an anticipation that tingled across her skin.  

And then it happened. The two-toned man rose from his seat saying something about a phone call and his pathetic girlfriend stood up to go with him. Holy shit, did Jireta just get wet at the way he snapped at her? And the look on that stupid woman’s face?!  

Jireta stifled the laugh that was bubbling up inside of her and sent the most exciting text message she had ever sent before.  

They’re coming  

She waited a few moments until the blonde had walked away from the table before she wiped her brow and softened her expression as she tapped her husband on the arm.  

“Hun, I’m going to head home early.”  

He turned to her and she turned her power on him. “Already? The party is just about to start.”  

She grimaced. “I know, but I’m not feeling well so you stay okay? Have fun for both of us.”  

He shrugged, hardly affected by her loss at all. “Okay, fell better Jiri.”  

“Thanks,” she said gratefully and kissed his cheek good-bye. She rose from the table without a single head turning her way and for once the invisibility felt empowering. 

She was practically high when she slipped into the bathroom; the couple was down the hall having a clearly uncomfortable moment and the fun was just beginning. Ryoshi, Mako, and Sekitsui were waiting, dressed as the waitstaff, and Mako handed Jireta a spare set of clothes. 

“Let’s go!” Sekitsui mewled with excitement. Jireta stuffed her thin, silken dress into the pants and yanked her shirt down.  

“She’s coming!” Mako snapped from her spot at the crack in the doorway.  

The four women folded into one gossiping group as if they were girlfriends on a break. Sure enough that husk of a nurse glided past them without making eye contact and the pro-hero barely noticed them approaching until they surrounded him.  

“Oh my gosh! It’s the number one hero!” Mako gushed, exchanging a squeal with her sister who needed no help getting excited.  

“Todoroki Shouto?! I am your BIGGEST fan!” Sekitsui was sliding in next to him when he finally took stock of the group closing in on him.  

“I-I’m sorry ladies, I can’t—” He started to say and stopped as Ryoshi pulled up the sleeve on his left arm with a fake bite of her lips. He tried to pull away but didn’t use enough force to actually sever the contact thinking these really were just innocent fans. 

“Ohmigooosh, your skin isn‘t burning up! Seeee?” Ryoshi prompted Sekitsui whose hands joined Ryoshi’s.  

The young woman practically moaned. “So soft. I almost hate to do this.” Her eyes flashed to Shouto who was too late. They had strategically chosen the side that wouldn’t defensively shield itself in ice quick enough to stop the neurotoxin before it latched onto Shouto’s nerves and locked his body down. He began to crumple and the four women scooped him up, knowing they didn’t have much time.  

Following the quickest route they hauled his limp, spasming body out a back door where Rua was keeping watch. She’d already changed out of her elegant peach dress.  

“Let’s go!” She ushered them to the back of the box van and thumped the massive hero’s limp body inside.  

“Ugh, why couldn’t we have just used that warp-guy again?” Sekitsui complained. Ryoshi took the driver’s seat and Rua disappeared leaving Mako and Jireta to awkwardly crowd around the unconscious pro-hero. Sekitsui decided to make the best of it by straddling the pro hero and resting her head on his chest.  

Mako scoffed. “For fuck’s sake Seku. Can you wait until we’re not all like right on top of each other?”  

“Mmnn, noo,” she crooned with a disgusting gyration of her hips.  

The older sister glanced at Jireta. “Are you doing this?”  

“No,” Jireta said, almost laughing.  

Mako almost rolled her eyes. “Well... can you do something?” She gestured obviously to her younger sibling who was practically humping the pro.  

Jireta scoffed. “Why. What’s the problem with it?”  

Mako gave her a disgusted look and turned away, trying her best to ignore what was happening as she stared out the front of the van. Jireta smirked at the satisfaction glowing from Sekitsui and noticed the pallor of their hostage’s face.  

“Hey. How long are you going to leave those in for?”  

Sekitsui moaned “just a little longer...”  

Jireta shrugged. “Whatever. You just won’t be able to fuck him if he’s dead.” She cringed dramatically. “Unless you’re into that sort of thing.”  

Mako snorted and Sekitsui sat up; all three of them swayed as the van wove through traffic. Jireta looked up to see Ryoshi watching her in the rear-view mirror with an impressed expression. Jireta blushed and averted her gaze.  

Sekitsui pouted as she and Mako meticulously removed all the needles from the pro’s forearm.  

“How long will he be out for, again?” Jireta asked. A pained sound weakly rolled out of him and three sets of eyes flicked to his face. His eyes rolled in their sockets, head falling limp to the other side as the van swayed again.  

“Aww...” Sekitsui cupped her cheeks then slowly leaned down, rubbing her hands along the hard planes of his chest still covered in his dress shirt and jacket. She pushed the jacket down his shoulders and firmly palmed his pecs. “Hopefully long enough I can play with him before I have to spike him again.” She ground her hips down on him. “Ryoshiiiii....how much longer?”  

Ryoshi rolled her eyes in the front seat. “We’ll get there when we get there.”  

“Thanks, mom,” Sekitsui said pointedly and Jireta’s good feelings were gone.  

No. 

No. She was better than this now. She turned her quirk inward, giving herself a much needed boost of confidence. It didn’t matter if the dopey pink-haired woman didn’t take a liking to Jireta. She could change that if she really wanted to...although she promised Ryoshi she wouldn’t use her quirk on either herself or Hogo. Jireta sulked, not quite sure how she felt about the whole dynamic of power.  

The van inconspicuously turned off the road and parked in the alley.  

When they opened the back doors, they were greeted with a swirl of purple offering up the scarred man and the warp-gate user himself.  

“What are you doing here?” Mako snapped, blocking her sister from exiting the van. Sekitsui seemed content to stay where she was.  

“Making sure you didn’t fuck anything up.” The scarred man looked past her, noting the scene in the back. “Wow. You actually got him.”  

“You’ve confirmed his capture. You can go now,” said Ryoshi joining them at the back of the van. 

“And if I were unsatisfied?” There was a dangerous flicker of blue light from his palm.  

Mako clenched her fists, subtly shifting into a defensive position. “I would say you’re not leaving with anything more than information.”  

Sekitsui was at the back of the van now, crouched behind her sister with a handful of spikes at-the-ready. Jireta had been told launching them was possible though not as effective. But none of this had to be done. Jireta’s power snaked through the group before caressing the dangerous man’s mind; she was prepared to simply make him walk away weeping.  

“None of this is necessary,” the warp-gate user spoke up. “We only came to confirm you were able to acquire the target.”  

“Well...target acquired,” noted Sekitsui.  

“Very well.” The purple man turned and urged his colleague to join him but the man didn’t move for a moment. His lumiscent blue eyes were focused on Jireta.  

She stared back trying not to give anything away as he scrutinized her.  

“We’ll be back soon to collect on your end of the bargain,” the scarred man said with a feral look over the group before disappearing with the other.  

The group released a collective sigh of relief and returned to their task of quickly moving the body. They lugged him to a filthy door and Ryoshi balanced her portion of his weight on one arm.  

She reached up and knocked; Namika flung the door open and hopped out to give them room to walk through. Her eyes never stopped sweeping the alley until they had him inside and she closed the door behind them. 

Jireta heard the van start up as Namika drove it away. Hogo appeared and helped carry their victim down a rickety flight of metal stairs into a cozy room.  

Shouto groaned and Jireta could feel the temperature of his body shift.  

“Oh no, Sekitsui!”  

The young woman reacted, instantly firing another round of needles into his wrist before the ice could form. His body tremored again.  

They got him to the bed and flopped him down.  

Sekitsui stalked across the massive mattress with a predatory gleam in her eye. “Now for the part I’ve been waiting for...” Her eyes flashed with a sinister hunger and she reached for his clothes.  

Chapter 96: What Do You Want

Chapter Text

Jireta woke up the next morning with a cold sweat, alone in bed. She sat up, rubbing her head as if she had a hangover. It took a lot of strength to get out of bed and shuffle across her apartment to get coffee.  

Her daughter was already awake—fuck how long had Jireta been asleep?—and  watching the news. There was a horrified intensity to her stare and Jireta glanced at the tv, freezing.  

The picture. 

The whole night came back in a flash to Jireta: kidnapping the pro-hero, witnessing that disturbed girl molest him, and hearing the rest of the plan. Jireta cracked her neck, reminding herself her family had no idea. No one did. She just had to act like herself and no one would notice.  

Only... 

She... 

She wanted someone to notice.  

She wanted her daughter to look up and see a new-found power written across her mother’s face and finally look at her with reverent respect that she deserved. She wanted her husband to come home arrogant and collected only to cower at what she had done. What she was capable of doing.  

She was getting high again. Drunk on a power that made her understand why people chose to become heroes for a living. Why shackle yourself to a life of restraint? Why submit to others when there was true power to be taken for oneself?!  

Jireta was so lost in her own daze she didn’t notice her daughter standing up.  

“Hellooo, earth to mom?”  

“Sorry, hun. What’s up?”  

Her daughter rolled her eyes, seeming so much older than she already was. “I’m leaving now. Bye.”   

Oh, where are you off to?” Jireta asked, pouring herself a cup of coffee.  

There was a sound of irritation. “You never listen to me so what’s it matter to you?”  

The door slammed shut and Jireta was alone. She swirled the brown liquid and brought the cup to her face, savoring the steam caressing her face before taking a sip and she realized... 

It didn’t.  

 

Jireta was a regular at Illicium now. Staff members respectfully acknowledged her and class instructors recognized her, greeting her by name when they crossed paths, and Jireta liked it. In this universe so perfectly contained in the gym she loved being noticed. And it was all because of the time she spent with Rua. Well. Mostly Ryoshi. But they hung out in Rua’s office all the time as the gym owner bounced in and out.  

Jireta couldn’t wait to see the copper-haired woman today after what happened last night. She rushed upstairs to the top floor without any challenges and found the new object of her desire draped leisurely across the couch.  

“I almost thought you weren’t going to meet me here today,” Ryoshi said with a sly smile as she sat up and Jireta joined her on the seat.  

“How could I not?” Jireta leaned in and hungrily claimed the lips so soft they felt like they were made of jelly. Ryoshi kissed her back deeply, winding a hand up in her hair as her tongue slipped in Jireta’s mouth. They wrestled back-and-forth for a long moment before Jireta pulled away to kiss down Ryoshi’s neck.  

“You were amazing last night in the van,” Ryoshi sighed.  

Jireta bit down, earning a moan. “And I wasn’t even using my quirk.”  

“You’re getting so good at all of it,” whined Ryoshi, tugging Jireta’s hair back and took a turn to make markings.  

“Only because of you, Ryo.” Jireta panted as Ryoshi slowed the pace, licking up the woman’s neck to whisper in her ear.  

“I want to fuck you so badly.”  

Jireta’s eyes rolled into the back of her head, ready to completely submit and throw every other part of her life away when the office doors were thrown open and Rua stormed in. Jireta immediately pulled away, wiping her lips, and Ryoshi simply sank back against the cushions, draping an arm on the back of the couch behind Jireta.  

“I take it the meeting didn’t go well?” Ryoshi asked.  

Rua plopped into her chair. “No. It went just fine.”  

“Then what’s the problem?”  

“It’s just...it’s all going too smoothly isn’t it?” She buried her hands in her hair with a frantic look in her eye.  

Ryoshi rolled her eyes. “You’re thinking too much.” Her attention shifted back to Jireta who blushed heavily.  

“And you’re not thinking enough!” Rua snarled and slammed her fists on the desk. Ryoshi begrudgingly rose from the couch and went behind her sister’s desk. She placed two hands on her shoulders.  

“Hogo’s back now. She’s got everything under control.”  

Jireta snickered. 

The two sisters glanced her way and she froze.  

“Got something to say?” Rua challenged.  

Jireta cringed and—why the hell not—gave herself a boost. “I don’t know...you’re both just putting an awful lot of faith into her.”  

“And what would you have us do instead?” Rua demanded.  

Jireta shrugged. “I don’t know...what are you both in this for, afterall?”  

Rua leaned back in her chair. “Money.”  

“Power,” Ryoshi offered.  

“So...shouldn’t there be a way to get those things without...I don’t know...Entangling yourselves with a wanted criminal?”  

Rua snorted. “It’s a little late to be worried about that.”  

“I know...” Jireta traced a cushion of the couch. “It’s just...I didn’t know what you were wanting in the future ...you know...once we go through with all of this, if it all works—”  

“— When it all works,” corrected Rua.  

Jireta rolled her eyes. “ When it all works, I don’t know...have you thought about what you’re going to do?”  

A sly smile spread across Ryoshi’s face. “My my....Jireta...are you...” she sauntered over to the couch. “Are you propositioning me?”  

“Maybe?” She lifted her eyes looking up from under her eyelashes.  

“Well...” Ryoshi leaned in close enough that her whisper brushed Jireta’s lips like a kiss. “Maybe I’m interested...”  

 

Jireta, Ryoshi, and Rua all went to the hideout separately as to not attract attention. Jireta assumed it was also so they didn’t arrive at the same time and make Hogo jealous. Though the idea that there was something for Hogo to be jealous of at all warmed Jireta’s body. She casually walked up the steps to the house, keeping calm as she’d been practicing when her phone rang.  

Shit.  

It was her husband.  

Stifling a groan she answered, taking the call on the front steps after noting the street was deserted.  

“Hi hun, what’s up?” Jireta asked, trying to sound at least indifferent. “Are you done working already?”  

“No, I’m just letting you know that I won’t be back for a while. I had to take a coworker to Dagoben.”  

“Dagoben?” Jireta asked in pure confusion. “All the way out there?”  

Yes, but we’re on our way back, now.”    

Jireta felt a vile fire ignite in the back of her mind. No. It couldn’t be...right? “It wasn’t that nurse, was it?” She couldn’t keep the angry tension out of her voice.  

“Yes. Why does it matter?”  

“Because you spent your whole day chauffering a woman around! Why the hell would you do that?!” Furious jealously raged in her own veins.  

“Because that’s what you do when someone needs help. Besides, I though you would be happy spending the day at the gym. You’re there all the time anyway. ”   

Jireta blurted out the first excuse she could think of. “That’s because I got a job there!”  

“Since when?”   

“Since two weeks ago!”  

“Well...good for you...I guess.”   

Seriously?! Jireta actually pulled back and looked at her phone. That was it?! THAT was his lackluster response? Not an apology for not asking about her life sooner?! Not disappointment that his wife hadn’t shared something so special?!  

“Wow. Just wow . Thanks for the support hun . Can’t say anything in front of your girlfriend ?!”  

“I can’t—no. We’ll talk about it later when I get home.”  

“Yeah. We’ll see if I even go home,” snapped Jireta and hung up. It was all such BULLSHIT. The way he acted like a fucking gentleman for any dumbass home-wrecking doe-eyed dipshit damsel in even the slightest distress! She was seething when she went inside and heard Sekitsui’s nasally complaints.  

“It’s just sooo frustrating!” Her voice came from the kitchen in the back of the modern house. “I can’t get him hard while he’s sedated with the spines but he starts to fight back the moment the effect starts to wear off.”  

Jireta stormed into the kitchen as Mako was rolling her eyes. “I’m surprised he’s even lasted this long the way you’ve kept him up.”  

Neither sister had noticed Jireta yet. “I know,” whined Sekitsui. “He’s so strong! That’s why I just want to fuck him and know how intense it really is! It’s not fair that woman is the only one who gets to have him!”  

“Tch,” Jireta spat, finally drawing the attention of the two sisters. “That fucking wench can’t help herself.”  

“Huh?” Mako asked flatly.  

Jireta crossed her arms and spoke with an angry mocking voice. “Shouto’s girlfriend convinced my husband to take her to Dagoben today so she could fucking stalk her boyfriend.”  

Sekitsui cackled, nearly doubling over with laughter. “That’s amazing! Oh my god. She has no idea where to find him!”  

Mako smirked. “If you keep laughing like that you’ll lead them right to us.” Sekitsui’s voice faded as an idea came to Jireta.  

Stalking...  

A sinister smile spread across her face.  

“Nehhh, Jiri...” Sekitsui asked slithering up in front of Jireta. “You look like you’re thinking about something really good right now...”  

Jireta met the young woman’s expression with a devious realization that she could win Sekitsui’s affection with her idea, too.  

“I think I know how we can break him.”  

“Oh?” Sekitsui’s eyes gleamed. “How?”  

“We break them up.”  

 

They had to tread carefully. Very carefully. If they sent the messages the wrong way they could be traced.  

Odysseus took care of that.  

If they allowed Shouto to get too far out of the paralysis he could break himself free.  

Sekitsui was all-too-happy to cling to him at-the-ready.  

If they didn’t let him wake up enough Jireta wouldn’t be able to get in his head and they wouldn’t be able to break him.  

Ryoshi was clearly impressed with the plan. Hogo was tolerant enough to give the plan a chance. 

And Jireta?  

Jireta felt high on power again. She understood why it was what Ryoshi wanted to get out of this whole operation...she was starting to want it too.  

Once they had finally released the fake break-up texts they went downstairs where Namika had been keeping watch on their prisoner’s vitals.  

Ryoshi dared causing a problem by leaning in to Jireta’s ear. “I can’t wait to see you work,” she whispered. Jireta bit her lip, trying not to reveal her wanton cravings in front of Hogo who was crouched in front of Shouto. She looked over her shoulder at Jireta.  

“Ready?”  

“Yeah,” Jireta said with a grin and Namika flicked the pro-hero's temple.  

He weakly lifted his head, eyes focusing and unfocusing at his surroundings. Hogo roughly patted his cheek and his eyes loosely centered on her.  

“Hello again.” Hogo held up a finger. “Use your quirk and you’re going right back into the paralysis.”  

He panted, jostling the shackles holding his arms up as his naked lower-half rested on the dirty ground.  

Hogo raised an eyebrow at him. “Wow. I didn’t think you’d be so complacent...” She looked over his clenching and unclenching muscles fighting off the latest round of Sekitsui’s neurotoxin. “You must really hate it?” She grinned sadistically which turned into a thoughtful frown. “You’ve lasted a lot longer than anyone else...which makes me think our little Yoyo did something for you.”  

Jireta cringed; there was something possessive about the nickname and Jireta wondered if it made Ryoshi jealous.  

“Makes me a little upset...” Hogo sighed. “Oh well. I guess it can’t be helped...although...I don’t think she’s going to be helping you much more from now on.”  

Hogo held up a picture and Jireta almost forgot what she was supposed to be doing. She sent Shouto’s self-confidence plummeting as he stared at the naked picture of himself and Sekitsui that had been released to the public.  

“That’s right,” Hogo mockingly pouted. “We shared this picture with the whole world...”  

Horror filled Shouto’s eyes and Jireta felt a strange resistance she hadn’t experienced before. “N-no,” he stuttered weakly. “Ani won’t believe it...Sh-she’ll see through it.”  

Hogo laughed once before taking some papers from Mako. “Maybe she would have...”  

Jireta drove into him harder, using the strongest force she’d used yet as Hogo laid out the screen-shots of text messages.  

“If you didn’t break up with her...” Hogo smirked playfully. “And yes...if you’re wondering...we released these, too.”  

His head hung low.  

A drop of water fell on one of the pages.  

Jireta nearly dropped her concentration in shock but kept the degrading tide of energy flowing  at him.  

“Are you...” Hogo asked disgustedly. “... crying ?” She rose up from the floor looking down on him in every way possible. “How pathetic.”  

Sekitsui’s hands snaked around the pro-hero's body and Jireta wasn’t sure if she could stomach the sight long enough for the young woman to have her way with him.  

“Aww...it’s okay sexy,” she cooed in his ear. “I’ll take good care of you from now on. Okay?”  

“Get off me!” He snarled and tried to shake her off but he was too slow. Sekitsui saw the ice and fire before he could unleash any attack and she put him back under the toxin with a disappointed sigh.  

“Oh well...I guess we can just try again later.” The young woman left him hanging limply by his wrists. Jireta expected her to be upset that the plan hadn’t worked but, instead, she popped up happily in front of Jireta. “That was so good though! We were finally able to talk to him.”  

“Th-thanks,” Jireta mumbled, suddenly shy in the girl’s beaming enthusiasm.  

“I’ll definitely get to have fun with him next time,” she said with a dreamy sigh and left the basement.  

Namika stood up, stretching her arms. “I need a break. Someone else watch him for a while.”  

“Not me,” Mako quickly said and went upstairs with her friend. 

It left Ryoshi and Hogo in the basement with Jireta and their prisoner. Jireta thought back to her private conversation with Ryoshi and Rua earlier that day... 

“Hogo...” she said. “I don’t think I’ve ever asked...what do you really want out of all this?” She could feel the woman’s powerful stare on her face without looking.  

“What do I want?” Her voice tremored with a quiet power. “At first...I suppose I wanted a lot of things.” Her attention turned to the pro and she crouched in front of him again. “Revenge for my dear old friend...Freedom for my family...Respect...I even wanted to crush all of these people into dust...But that desire has passed.” She lifted Shouto’s chin, turning his haggard face, unconscious face up to the light. “Now...All I want is to destroy them from the inside out...Destroy them until they’re nothing but broken spirits and empty husks.” She dropped his chin and slowly rose, turning to face Jireta who couldn’t look away fast enough. Hogo’s intense stare caught hers. “Like they made me.”  

She walked past Jireta without a second glance and took Ryoshi’s hand. Jireta almost wished the copper-haired woman would resist and not go upstairs with her but that would be a huge give-away to Hogo and Jireta didn’t want to jeopardize this opportunity.  

Because now she knew...Hogo didn’t really care about the same things Ryoshi did. And from what she just said...it sounded like she didn’t really care about anyone at all.  

“Watch him for a while, will you?” Ryoshi asked as she followed Hogo upstairs.  

Jireta nodded, unable to look at the woman she was falling in love with. Instead, she focused her eyes down and felt everything Ryoshi had taught her so far.  

Understanding people’s desires... 

An ability to control others with nothing more than words.  

Making someone mentally dependent upon you. 

The key to manipulation.  

A pure form of power.  

A power Jireta had been blessed with naturally.  

She sank into the chair where Namika had been sitting and began to lose herself in thought. 

Chapter 97: Power

Chapter Text

Jireta went home late that night to find an anxious husband waiting for her. Not that he called. Or texted. He was clearly prepared for a fight but Jireta was in no mood. She turned her quirk upon him with a savage rage fueled by all the pent-up years she put up with things and watched him crumble until he retreated to their room with his tail between his legs.  

Jireta took his place on the couch and drained the remainder of his beer. She wondered how much longer she would have to come back here. According to Hogo, and more importantly Ryoshi, it was imperative that Jireta not give anything away. Her husband was so close to the hero school that the slightest thing out of place could attract unwanted scrutiny.  

So here she was.  

And here she slept on the couch until the next morning. Her daughter was already gone to school when Jireta woke up to find her husband cooking breakfast in the kitchen. Her eyes narrowed suspiciously. He never stayed home from work. She thought about the vivid dreams she’d had the night before and wondered if she had subconsciously triggered her quirk in her sleep and continued to make him feel like shit about himself. She stared at him, unimpressed, until he finally noticed she was awake.  

“Hey.” His voice was higher, more nervous than normal. “I cooked breakfast...thought we could spend some time together today.”  

Too little. Too fucking late. Jireta stood up with disgusted dismissal. “I’m going to shower.” Before she left the room she threw some self-doubt his way to make himself think he doesn’t take very good  are of himself. He might be getting sick. No going into the office today for him, even if she didn’t want to spend time with him she wasn’t going to let him go free.    

She took her time in the bathroom, washing under water that was so hot it nearly burned her skin. She used special soaps and shampoos she’d received as gifts long ago that she had been saving.  

Pff. Saving for what?  

She came out of the shower smelling like a goddamned goddess.  

Same thing for her after-care. She used luxurious moisturizers and treatments she never considered using before and wrapped the towel around herself to cross to...her...bedroom... 

She paused in the hallway ignoring the slight chill as she heard her husband talking to someone on the phone.  

“It can take upwards of a week, depending on what you need.”  

Jireta felt irritated that he was talking to someone—anyone—else right now and started activating her quirk without realizing it. 

“I don’t live very far from campus so—if it’s necessary—you can drop the order form off here.”  

Well...at least he wasn’t planning on leaving anytime soon, but Jireta was suddenly concerned about the presence of a UA person in their home. She took a step into their bedroom and froze at his next words.  

“Yes, but...Miss Shida our...”  

Anger buzzed in her ear tuning out the rest of his words.  

OF COURSE IT WAS THAT FUCKING NURSE.  

Jireta felt herself snarling, fists clenching as she realized she couldn’t be here when that woman came no matter how badly she wanted to. The thought of being there when she walked in was so tempting that Jireta almost gave in to her own temptation, but she’d promised Ryoshi that she wouldn’t give anything away.  

Jireta dressed in whatever plain street clothes she touched first, not caring what she ended up in. This was all so unfair! So frustrating! She wasn’t sure when she started crying but she wiped the tears away as soon as she noticed. Her husband came in as she was lacing up her shoes.  

“Hey, Jiri...” he started. “Are you going somewhere?” How dare he sound disappointed! As if he had any right to be hurt by her not being here when he finally decided to take time to spend with her!  

Her eyes rose to him with a dark hatred she couldn’t hold back. “I don’t want to be here when your little whore comes over.”  

Umeji’s face hardened. “I don’t know where you’re getting this idea that I’m having an affair, but I’m not! Shida is an employee at my school. We are not romantically involved in anyway!”  

Jireta stared at him, too many emotions clogging her throat to speak.  

He threw up his hands. “She’s with Todoroki Shouto! What aren’t you getting?!”  

Jireta scoffed. “Obviously you don’t keep up with the news.”  

“What news?” He asked, sounding exasperated.  

“The news that they broke up! He had an affair!” Jireta screamed. “And obviously that bitch is looking for a new person to latch onto!”  

“What is going on with you?!” Umeji roared back. “You have never been like this before! What did she ever do to you?!”  

Jireta’s fists clenched and unclenched. She was completely. Utterly. Done. She stormed around her husband, ignoring his pleas to stop and talk, his desire to understand.  

Too little. 

Too fucking late.  

Jireta slammed the door between them, making sure to give his mental state a good sucker punch before she left. Her tears were gone, the will to cry vanished along with any remaining traces of weakness or doubt in herself.  

She knew who she was now. And she knew what she wanted.  

Someone rudely slammed into her shoulder as she was walking and she couldn’t help herself from lashing out verbally and with her quirk.  

“Hey! Watch where you’re going!”  

“Sorry!” The person bowed, hiding their face under a hood as Umeji unleashed a torrent of her power upon this person.  

Something kept Jireta’s feet in place as she watched the person rush away...and turn into her building.  

Rage simmered in her veins as she realized who it was. She pulled out her phone and quickly called Ryoshi.  

“Jiri, you know you’re not supposed to call me like this!”   

“I know, but it’s an emergency!” She hated how vulnerable and needy her own voice sounded. “That nurse just went to my house!”  

“What? Why?!”   

“Something for the school but she’s there. Right now!” Jireta got another powerful idea. “Can Odysseus lure reporters here?”  

Probably...why...what are you thinking Jiri?”   

A sadistic grin spread across Jireta’s face as she hustled back to her building. “Just more fuel for the fire.”  

There was a beat before Ryoshi answered and Jireta almost panicked that she was being too assertive. "Jiri...you never cease to surprise me...” There was a warm note to the woman’s voice that pumped Jireta full of pride.  

“You still have my address?”  

Of course. I’ll tell Odysseus to send them right away.

“Thanks.” Jireta hung up as she came to her own door again and heard that despicable voice.  

“Do you have a fever?” She probed. “Any nausea, coughing?”  

Jireta heard her husband start to answer “no...” And her mind went into overdrive. She couldn’t let the nurse ask too many questions!! “I guess I—”  

Jireta threw open the door, unable to contain her hostility toward the guest in their home. Her quirk was flaring out of control, smothering both of them in wild amounts of energy. She was surprised her husband could even summon the mental capacity to ask a question.  

“Jiri, did you forget something?” Umeji sounded as pathetic as Jireta’s image of him but she stared coldly at the blonde woman whose eyes fell.  

“I-I’m so sorry for intruding on your home,” the nurse mumbled. “I only needed to drop something off for the school.”   

Jireta scoffed. It was her way of telling this woman it was time to leave.  

She gave a meek bow of her head and said “thank you for letting me stop by.” At least she had the decency to close the door behind herself.  

“Jiri...” Umeji looked close to crying and Jireta was feeling very satisfied with herself. She realized this is what Hogo wanted to do to people. To leave them wallowing in a broken pool of their own dreams. Spirits turned to dust.  

“What was she doing here?” Jireta spat though she already knew the answer.  

Umeji tried looking up at her but couldn’t as his eyes teard up from the fracturing of his mind.  

Someone knocked.  

Jireta was ready to break this woman too but held back—for Ryoshi’s sake—to make sure the dumb blonde didn’t suspect anything. When she ripped the door open she asked “can I help you?”  

“I’m sorry f-for bothering you. I-I just...” Jireta was unable to hold back her sadistic pleasure as the woman stuttered. “I-I forgot to ask i-if I needed to take the paperwork back?”   

Knowing her husband was on the verge of a nervous breakdown Jireta didn’t allow the woman back into her home. “Does she need to do anything else with that?" she demanded. Umeji was crumpling over onto the couch, barely able to think about his job as he shook his head. Jireta turned back and gave a satisfied “no. You can go now.”   

She received a notification on her phone from Ryoshi. The reporters took the bait. They were waiting outside and Jireta beamed with glee. She couldn’t wait to tell Ryoshi about how well she’d done. How she hadn’t given anything away and her husband was completely done for! Looking at the paper on their small coffee table Jireta noticed the nurse was foolish enough to put her new phone number down. She quickly sent it off to Ryoshi and looked down on her husband one last time.  

“Well...I’ll be going now.” She could feel he was so shattered inside that it would remain even after she was gone. She smirked and walked out.  

She caught a glimpse of the reporters chasing the nurse down the street and walked the opposite way with a satisfied sense of pride.  

 

She strolled into the house as if she were walking on a cloud and wasn’t phased by Namika’s dismissive pout. In the kitchen she found Mako, Hogo, and Ryoshi talking in low, urgent tones. Sekitsui must be downstairs watching their hostage.  

“What’s going on?” Jireta asked, unphased by the look of irritation on Mako’s face as she interrupted.   

“Don’t be rude! Walking in here like you fucking own the place...” Namika said as she joined the group from another doorway into the kitchen through the dining room.  

“It’s alright, Nami.” Hogo crossed her arms and leaned back against the counter. "She had a good idea today...”  

Jireta stifled the smirk playing at the corner of her lips. “I can’t wait to see what the reporters write about her this time.”  

“What did you even do?” asked Mako indifferently and Jireta was a little disappointed Ryoshi hadn’t shared the brilliant plan with everyone.  

“Well...not only did I completely break my husband today and push my quirk the farthest I have yet,” Jireta said proudly. “But I led the press right to my own doorstep when that nurse showed up to ask my husband about something for work.”  

“Wait, what? You were there ?!” Namika asked in angry disbelief.  

Jireta rolled her eyes. “The press didn’t see me. They got the tip from Odysseus.”  

“So...you didn’t see the nurse?” Mako asked with a cocked eyebrow.  

“Oh no, I did.” Jireta grinned maliciously. “Sent her away worse for the wear, too.”  

Silence fell around the room as Mako and Namika looked from Jireta to Hogo; Ryoshi watched Jireta carefully.  

And Hogo cautiously scrutinized Jireta. “What do you mean...you sent her away worse for the wear...”  

“I used my quirk on her, made sure she felt like shit before she left and was swarmed by reporters.” Jireta was hungry and glanced around to see if there were any snacks out to eat. The group was still quietly tense.  

“Try it out on me,” Hogo said.  

Jireta’s eyes darted to Ryoshi whose expression was unreadable, then back to Hogo. “What?” 

“Try it out on me,” the woman repeated. “I’m curious to know what it feels like.” 

Would Ryoshi be upset if Jireta did this right now? I mean...Hogo was asking her to... 

Hogo slowly raised an eyebrow. “Well? Are you doing anything?”  

Jireta nearly overflowed with irritation at the unimpressed tone of Hogo’s voice. Fine. The pink-haired woman asked for it.  

She pulled out the cork in her mind and turned the energy pointedly on Hogo in a negative spiral. “See? No way that nurse walked out feeling like she was going to find Todoroki.”  

“Is that exactly what you did to her?” Hogo asked, angrily tense like a statue.  

Jireta shrugged, breaking off the energy. “I tailor it to each person so, content wise: no. But intensity? Hell yeah.” 

“And Saturday night? At the dinner?”  

“Yeah...” Jireta answered as if it should have been obvious. 

Hogo’s eyes slowly closed and she began to rub her temples. “Mako, tell Odysseus to contact the league and get inside the agency. We need to keep her isolated. Namika, tell Sekitsui to wrap it up and come back here. We’re going to need you. Ryoshi—Rua needs to get in to see the mayor today .”  

“What? Why?” The copper-haired woman perked up and asked as the other two women swiftly left. 

“Because...” Hogo’s eyes turned upon Jireta with fierce irritation. “Our little Yoyo is going to connect the dots, if she hasn’t already.”  

“Oh please...” Jireta said with irritation at the tone in Hogo’s voice when she used the nurse’s nickname. She wondered what exactly Hogo felt about this girl and if it made Ryoshi jealous. “Even if she does, no one’s going to believe her.”  

“You’re absolutely right.” A twisted smirk lifted the corner of Hogo’s scarred mouth. “And you’re going to make sure of it.” 

 

 

 

Namika paced the room, biting her nails. Jireta sat with her legs crossed, one foot angrily bouncing as she watched Ryoshi and Hogo talk in hushed tones. Mako was who-knows-where. Same for Sekitsui.  

The atmosphere prickled like there was a disease in the house and Jireta was tempted to use her quirk to deflect any self-consciousness she was having but she refrained. Hogo would recognize the feeling of it now. So instead Jireta committed to angrily sulking. She still wasn’t convinced what she did was a mistake.  

A warp-gate opened in the middle of the living room and Jireta sat up quickly, anxious to understand why these people were here again.  

“Nehh...” A lazy voice drawled through the gate followed by a blue-haired man covered in hands. “What did you call us for Hogo...” He scratched his neck. “You told me you had everything under control.”  

“I do,” she assured him confidently. “We just need to move sooner.”  

“But I was having so much fun,” another man said as he stepped out. It was the scarred man from before whose eyes scoured the room and landed on Jireta with an intrigued eyebrow lift. The warp-gate vanished after the purple-mist-covered man and one more person dressed in a head-to-toe black jumpsuit joined them.  

“Seriously! We were on a roll!” The masked man said, immediately adding in a contradicting tone “but plans change!”   

Jireta scowled at them but Hogo spoke. “We only need one.”  

“Of who?” The blue-haired man said, bored.  

Hogo jutted her chin in Jireta’s direction. “That one.”  

“What, me?!” Jireta asked in terrified surprise.  

“Her?” The masked-man asked as he approached. He tried to circle Jireta but she backed away.  

“Don’t touch me!”  

Ryoshi appeared at Jireta’s side, taking her hand. “Hey, it’s okay...they’re only going to make a copy of you.”  

“What? A copy!” Jireta was still panicking as the man tilted his head side-to-side looking at her.  

“Yes. Just a clone.” Ryoshi’s breath was warm and calming in Jireta’s ear. “It’s to set a trap for the nurse.”  

Wh -what are they going to do to me?”  

“Nothing!” The masked man said defensively and then reassuringly added “it doesn’t hurt at all. I just have to make sure I get your dimensions right..."   

Jireta allowed him to circle her after Ryoshi stepped away and true to his word it didn’t hurt when an exact copy of herself appeared in front of her.  

Eesh. When did she get so old?  

“So, what now?” Jireta asked as her clone let out a burst of positive self-confidence that illuminated everyone in the room. She snapped “keep it under control!”  

Hogo smirked in amusement. “Now, you’ll go with them.”  

“Who?” Jireta and her clone asked at the same time, giving each other an irritated glance.  

“You,” said Hogo nearly giving Jireta a heart-attack; she gestured to Jireta’s clone.  

“What?! Why me?!”  

“Because we need her,” Hogo eyes Jireta disdainfully. “To keep him in line.”  

“He’s still alive?” The scarred man asked and whistled when Ryoshi nodded. “Damn. His fucking princess must have hooked him up real well.”  

Jireta scowled. Another fucking person giving the nurse a nickname. She couldn’t wait to tear this bitch down to hell.  

“Well. If that’s all,” said the hand-man. He gestured to Jireta’s clone and the masked man took her elbow guiding her back to the reopening warp-gate.  

“One more thing.” Hogo stepped forward. “I still expect payment once this is all over.”  

He stopped in a hunch and slowly turned around. “You failed to finish the job the first time.”  

“Yeah, well.” She crossed her arms. “Sometimes it takes a couple tries. Surely you know all about that.”  

He stalked toward her but she didn’t back down from the challenge. “What did you say?”  

Hogo leaned in and whispered something venomous to the man who simply cracked his knuckles. Jireta barely heard his hushed answer “whoever gets her first.”  

Hogo looked furious as the blue-haired man nonchalantly passed through the warp-gate and it vanished. She closed her eyes and took a long, slow deep breath...her expression cleared and she looked back.  

“Alright. Let’s get down to work.”  

Chapter 98: Pre-Op

Chapter Text

Ani had been trying to sleep. It should have been deep, dreamless sleep with how exhausted she had been but her subconscious had other plans. It seemed hellbent on replaying that last look on Shouto’s face that night at the gala and all the other details of his shaken demeanor that were so unlike him. She couldn’t imagine how much worse he was being treated as a prisoner.

She would have given anything to trade places.

She was the one built to handle it.

Voices twisted in her mind...mingling with the venomous comments from people mocking Shouto’s worth as a hero if he could be so easily kidnapped but they didn’t know. They had never experienced that incapacitating fire...that took control of her body and locked her in paralysis. Even in sleep her memories easily recalled the way it stole her ability to function and how her regeneration had battled against it to keep her alive.

She hoped her bone marrow was still in Shouto’s body. That it would be enough to get him through whatever they were doing to him. It was all she could do, to hope. To ignore the brutally ignorant comments and tune out the media as Shouto always had. But it was getting harder and harder.

Their noise was intrusive. Constant and pervasive.

They infected every peaceful corner of her mind until she was no longer able to sleep through it. Her eyes opened to find the voices were not just products of her subconscious but real people crowding her apartment.

So much for not letting anyone see her insane display of notes.

At least no one seemed phased by the unpacked, crazy state of her apartment; they were all focused on the figure standing in front of the couch with a protective stance that was much angrier than she was used to. Bakugo’s voice popped as he snarled.

“Ani didn’t ask ANY of you to come here and you just barged right in! Like it’s your fucking office!”

Her heart was aching, nearly imploding. “It’s okay, Bakugo.”

He turned around as she was sitting up with a stream of emotions coursing through his eyes she couldn’t understand and didn’t have the energy to decipher.

“It’s not okay,” he argued. “All these damn extras can leach onto the investigation elsewhere! You need to rest.”

Ani couldn’t muster a smile though she wanted to. It was all she could to just to look at him. “I’m fine. Thank you.”

He scowled and turned. “Whatever. I’m sure all these extras are going to be real fucking helpful,” he grumbled as he stormed away.

Fear struck through Ani at the thought of losing her first and, quite possibly, most powerful ally. She called out “wait! You’re not leaving, are you?”

He didn't look at her when he snarled, “cool your jets, goldilocks. I’m only going to bathroom. I can't think around all these loudmouths.”

She exhaled in relief and her attention was consumed by everyone rushing in to talk to her all at once.

Aino appeared in front of her. “Ani, are you okay?”

“Ani, I’m so sorry!” M.I. appeared next to him. “I never meant to—”

“Ani why didn’t you tell us you were—”

“I can’t believe—”

“There’s something I have to—”

With every person trying to express their regret and condolences and support, she began to feel suffocated. Each voice added a layer of weight that she couldn’t carry right now. That she didn’t have the time or energy to acknowledge.

There was only one thing that mattered right now.

And she was drowning without it.

“Please, please everyone!” Ani rose from the couch and held up her hands to give herself space. “I just want to focus on finding Shouto. All of this can wait.”

Silence hung in the air for a moment before an explosive presence appeared at her side. “Get it together, people!” Bakugo barked. “And act like professionals!”

Ani was too tired to chide him for being so...himself. She focused all of her energy on the most important thing and tried to organize her thoughts. She didn’t know who or what to ask first and a deep voice cut through her thick thoughts.

“Shida.”

Ani looked up at Shouto’s father whose red eyes churned.

“The situation is grim.”

She tried not to let the hope die in her heart. With so many people working together now there had to be something they could do. She spoke around the lump in her throat. “Why do you say that?”

“Before I answer, I need everyone to turn off their cellphones.” He crossed his arms, glowering around. With skeptical looks at the old pro everyone begrudgingly complied.

Endeavor turned back to Ani. “Cipher wasn’t able to get anything useful off the agency’s phone. In addition the agency has been under constant cyber-attack,” reported Endeavor. “And it’s not just into our agency either. The police have been targeted as well. The Absolved are trying to get in everywhere they can again.”

“To fracture communication like last time?” Ani asked in worry. “So they can attack again?”

Before she could panic Midoriya unintentionally cut in with muttering. “It doesn’t seem like they want to do an outright attack this time though. They haven’t made any show of strength and have been using more underhanded tactics in a way that make us all skeptical of each other. Almost like they want us to lose faith in each other.”

“And faith in the heroes,” Aino added. A few faces looked his way as he thought out loud, too. “This whole thing with Shouto...it’s like whoever’s doing this wanted us to question his judgment and see him as...someone who wasn’t hero material...”

“And now with the city of Dagoben lifting the quirk ban it’s like the government has given up on heroes, too,” Kirishima added. “And Musutafu is next.”

Bakugo roared “so what are we waiting for?! Let’s go smoke these bastards out already!”

“You haven’t been off campus in a couple hours, have you?” Froppy asked. “If you take one step out there, you’ll feel it. The whole atmosphere is different."

Jiro agreed. "The way the people look now...it’s not at anyone who looks dangerous like they might cause some trouble. It’s not even at each other like when the Absolved attacked last time and divided everyone over their opinions of heroes. They look at us like we’re the cause of their unease. Like our presence makes them jumpy.”

Other people were adding their experiences, adding to the picture with their own contributions but Ani’s mind was distracted.

She was hung up on two words: unease...

and jumpy.

Her eyes drifted across the room and she noticed Midoriya’s silent concentration. Their eyes met and she understood why that second word stood out so much and it looked like Midoriya remembered Ani’s words at the same time:

...he brushed off my attempts to talk to him and when I touched his leg he jumped...

You of all people know how hard it is to shake him.

If the Absolved were able to make Shouto, the most unshakable person Ani knew, jumpy...

“Shida-san,” Midoriya’s voice cut through the noise. “Did you ever figure out what made Todoroki uneasy during Recovery Girl’s retirement dinner?”

Ani nodded. “I think I did. I think there was a woman at our table who was using a quirk on us.” She hadn’t had a chance to talk to Umeji about this yet and felt guilty about bringing it up to other people first, especially since their boss was there, but she didn’t know another way.

“Miss Shida-san,” Principal Nezu interjected as Ani knew he would. “There were only UA faculty and staff at that table.”

She grimaced. “There was one person who was not: Umeji’s wife.” She could feel every pair of eyes in the room on her.

“But, Umeji’s wife is quirkless,” Principal Nezu said with calm seriousness.

“I know and I feel terrible saying all of this now because I haven’t had a chance to speak to him about it but I think she does.” Ani’s words were flowing steadily now, afraid she was going to be abandoned and shunned again because of her conclusions. “That night at the dinner something was bothering Shouto and I was on-edge as well. I never considered that it might be someone else causing those kind of thoughts until today when I brought a purchase request to Umeji. Everything was fine until his wife showed up.”

“Are you sure you’re not reading into it too much?” Uraraka asked. Ani could tell she was trying to be diplomatic but the question still felt like a slap in the face.

Ani stared her down. “No. I’m not. The moment she walked in I could feel it, a suffocating self-deprecation that only subsided when I left. To be sure I knew what I was feeling I went back and his wife opened the door. Again, it was like flipping a switch in my head the moment her attention was on me.”

“Miss Shida-san.” Principal Nezu watched her intently as his tail twitched. “That is a serious accusation to make.”

“I know,” she acknowledged. “And it’s not one that I make lightly. But I know she’s involved. I felt that self-doubt at the dinner when she was there. Then Shouto got up to make a phone call, I couldn’t find him, Umeji’s wife was gone as well as the spiraling thoughts. And plus...” Ani stopped herself, knowing the next leap was the biggest one yet.

“Ani?” Aino asked, breaking the silence.

Ani’s voice trembled. “Wh-when I was kidn-napped and held by the Absolved...” she exhaled shakily and closed her eyes. This would be easier if she didn’t have to see anyone. “Hogo Sareta gave me a nickname...No one has ever used it before or since, except for one person.” She swallowed thickly and opened her eyes again, settling on Endeavor as if she could see Shouto in his eyes. “Rua. The gym leader of Illicium. She used that nickname and referenced the car accident I was in earlier that day.”

“Wait, what!!”

“You were in a car accident?!”

“The fuck!”

M.I., Aino, and Bakugo all shouted at once and many faces wrinkled with concern. Ani held up her hands, trying to get all the information out as quickly as possible.

“I used a driverless car on accident to visit Mina and it was hacked by the Absolved. They tried to crash it.” Aino dragged his hand over his face and Bakugo’s eyes flared. “I think they also had a part in making sure it wasn’t reported on, which is why no one heard about it. Except for that gym leader, Rua. She referenced it, the fact that Shouto saved me, and she used that nickname. I know she’s involved and Umeji’s wife just started working for her."

There were murmers of consideration bouncing around as Principal Nezu cleared his throat.

“Miss Shida-san, my beloved students.” He commanded attention with his gentle but serious voice and patted the arms of Lemillion and Midnight. “We will talk to Umeji and his wife and investigate any chance she might be involved. We will let you know if uncover anything.”

He started to walk away but Endeavor stopped him. He motioned to M.I. who pulled a duffel bag off his shoulder and set it down on Ani’s table.

“Here, take one of these.” The sidekick offered the short mouse a small wrist radio and earbud.

“What is this?” The short mouse asked, taking the objects with his round fingers.

Endeavor answered “it’s a secure way for all of us to communicate. Since we saw first-hand how deeply they can interfere during their first attack, The Todoroki Agency developed these so we wouldn’t be handicapped again.” He looked around, facial hair flickering intensely. “Assume your cellphones and anything else is compromised.”

M.I. glanced around warily. “We don’t have enough for everyone to have one...so once we figure out what our next step is, we’ll have to decide how to divide them up.”

Principal Nezu nodded, closing his fist protectively around the devices. “Thank you, Endeavor.” He placed a hand on the man’s tense forearm and looked like he wanted to add something but left it at that. Lemillion and Midnight followed him out.

“What do we do now?” Kaminari asked looking around the group.

Chapter 99: Staging

Chapter Text

“Endeavor...” Ani asked “do you think there’s a way Utsubei could get the records for Umeji’s wife’s phone? And trace the places she’s been?”  

“No,” he answered bluntly. “If their systems were functioning properly we would still need a subpeona or a warrant and those take time.”  

“The Ingenium Agency prides itself on an efficiency in following protocols and have established many positive relationships with government officials," said Iida. "We would be honored to use our abilities to secure the necessary legal documentation.”  

“We can’t rely on that option though,” Froppy croaked. “Given how skeptical people are acting toward us, we have to have another strategy, too.”  

“We track down that gym leader,” said Kirishima. “You know she’s involved somehow?” He asked Ani and she nodded. “Then we check her out. Watch her movements, get close to her if we can.”  

“Recon,” Kaminari snapped with a small crackle. “I like it.” 

“We can help with that,” Flora spoke up, her quiet voice capturing everyone’s attention. “We’re Shouto’s reconnaissance team.” She gestured her head toward M.I. and Aves, who had been surprisingly quiet.  

“Me too,” offered Jiro with a wriggle of her ear-lobe-jacks.  

“Awesome,” Kirishima responded with his usual cheer. “We’ll be able to figure out where they’re keeping Todoroki and Sero and Mina and get them all out.” 

“Before you go, I have something for all of you,” called Aino to the group who already seemed to be splitting up. He opened the black box and put the two vials on display. “This is how they’ve been kidnapping people.”

"How did you get this?" Endeavor asked with thundering skepticism.

"I'm sorry...I can't tell you that. I promised the person I wouldn't reveal their identity." He held up the first tube. “Someone can make these with their quirk. It injects the victim with a neurotoxin which causes paralysis. And this is the antivenom for it,” he offered as he showed them the second. “The only problem is...this is all I have.”  

“Uh...who is this dude?” Kaminari asked. 

Ani answered as she looked at Aino. “My brother.”  

“So who’s going to carry it, if it's the only dose we have?” Kirishima asked. Everyone looked around until Midoriya snapped his fingers.   

“Yaoyorozu.” He looked at Aino. “Is the antivenom made up of living cells?”  

“No...but it is made up of proteins and amino acids which replicate themselves even though they’re not technically alive which is really interesting because some scientists argue that—” Ani cleared her throat and Aino halted his own enthusiasm. “No. It’s not.”  

“Then Yaoyorozu can make more of it. Can’t she?” Midoriya asked Uraraka.  

“I guess so...” The brunette answered. “We can ask her at least.” She and Froppy exchanged a nod.  

Aino hesitated. “If it’s possible...I’d like to come with you to make sure the final product is exactly the same...so there are no risks.”  

“Okay,” Uraraka said with an unreadable glance at Ani that the blonde didn’t notice.  

“Please, everyone...” Ani said with a thick swallow. “Be cautious. If your thoughts start spiraling—or maybe even getting too positive—be on-guard. Umeji’s wife, and anyone else from the Absolved or the League could be close-by.” Heads nodded in agreement. 

“How are we going to divide these up?” asked M.I. pulling out more sets of radios and earbuds. As they started dividing up the equipment Ani took her brother aside.  

“Aino, you should know something,” she quietly said. “Yaoyorozu and I...We’ve never really been amicable. So if she’s a little cold or distant to you, don’t take it personally.”  

“Because of Shouto?” He guessed. 

Ani nodded. “But I hope she’ll help.” She glanced at the vials in his hand. “I don’t know how you got these but I’m grateful.”  

Aino smiled to himself, remembering Toshrio’s words, and hugged Ani. He whispered “I’m so sorry, Ani.”  

She stifled her tears and hugged him back. “I forgive you.” 

“Dr. Shida-san,” Uraraka said kindly. “We need to leave now.”  

He pulled away from Ani, giving her hand one more squeeze before following Uravity and Froppy out the door.  

“Ani...” M.I. said taking Aino's place, eyes deep with regret. “I’m so sorry. For everything.”  

This forgiveness wasn't so easy to forgive... she stayed quiet only giving him a nod in acknowledgement.  

“We’re so sorry, Ani,” Flora said and took her hands. “We could have tried harder to get a hold of you. To help you...”  

Ani patted the pale-green hands and looked away. “I just want to find him.”  

“Flora. M.I. We have to go,” Aves said from the doorway, unable to look at Ani.  

“We’ll find him,” M.I. tried to reassure Ani but his words weren’t comforting.  

They made her angry.  

Because everyone— especially them—should have been looking for him much, much sooner. She let the three sidekicks leave without saying good-bye and turned to the few people still remaining.  

Endeavor, Bakugo, Midoriya, and Hansha were all still around the table and it was Hansha’s determined expression that caught her eye. 

“I can do this, Bakugo.”  

He stiffened at her words and spoke through a clenched jaw. “Can I talk to you alone for a moment?”  

“No.” She crossed her arms, mirroring Ani’s stubborn nature. “I’ve made up my mind. I’m doing this.”  

“Doing what?” Ani asked.  

“Nothing,” Bakugo tried to cut in.  

“It’s not your decision to make,” Endeavor said with a sneer.  

Ani looked around as everyone but Midoriya was locked in a glaring contest. Ani’s long-time idol sighed. “I was thinking out loud again and absentmindedly made a suggestion.”  

“For what?” Ani asked.  

“Heh-heh.” The jade-haired man awkwardly rubbed his neck. “I was thinking that if this woman who can change how we think about ourselves that maybe the people with the most  self-confidence should go out and search for her.”  

Ani glanced between Bakugo and Endeavor, sensing the tide of Midoriya’s thoughts. “Do we even have enough radios to do that?"  

“We do,” Endeavor gestured to the bag where there were three radios.  

Ani frowned, assuming they were intended for the remaining pro-heroes. “But if all three of you take one, won’t that make Hansha and I vulnerable?”  

“Hey!” snapped Bakugo. "Who do you think we are?!"

Ani held up her hands. “I just, don’t know what else it could mean then.”  

“Midoriya was suggesting that you and I each go with one of them,” explained Hansha quietly.  

Ani released a heavy sigh. “That’s...”  

“Exactly,” growled Bakugo.  

“No...I mean...that’s a good idea.” Ani looked around, already knowing with whom she would travel. “Let’s do it.”  

Bakugo’s mouth pinched shut but he kept his comments to himself.  

“All we need to decide is who you’re going to go with, Ani,” Midoriya said. Bakugo opened his mouth but closed it immediately.  

“Thank you, Midoriya, for being willing to consider traveling with me,” she offered with an honored smile. “But I would only slow you down—” he opened his mouth to object but she explained “because it makes me sick to travel around like you do. I did it once with Shouto and it’s one of the few things I can’t tolerate. So...Endeavor?”  

The retired pro-hero, towering over her with his arms crossed, nodded. “Let’s get moving.”  

“I-I just...” Hansha said. “I just have to use the bathroom, sorry!!” Bakugo and Endeavor both glowered in irritation as she dashed out of the room.  

Midoriya took his set of equipment and put it safely in place. “Good luck out there everyone. Do your best.” He clenched his fist and Ani bowed her head. Endeavor remained indifferent and Bakugo simply gave him a withering look. Instead of leaving through the door he slid open one of Ani’s windows and dove away into the night.  

 

 

 

“Lame nerd,” grumbled Bakugo. Ani crossed the room to close it and Bakugo seized the moment while Hansha was in the bathroom. He followed her to the window. “You don’t have to do this, you know.”  

She locked the frame and turned with a kind smile to Bakugo that made his heart hurt. “Thank you for being concerned for me.”  

Bakugo felt his heart skip a beat as the exact same phrase echoed in his mind from the time she gave him stitches. He knew she didn’t remember it and it was probably a coincidence but he wished she were saying it consciously. He wanted her to assure him that he had nothing to worry about...even though the memory also served as a painful reminder of how committed to Shouto she was.  

 

 

 

 

Ani returned to the table and looked over her notes one more time, hoping to snag any last detail that might help them. Endeavor equipped the radio for their pair and checked-in with the others making sure the connections were good.  

“What?” He asked. “Already?”  

Ani watched his face, anxiously waiting to know what was happening as Bakugo put his own radio in, too.  

“Shit,” he muttered. To Ani he said “get Hansha out of the bathroom. They found the gym leader and she’s on the move.”  

Ani nodded and rushed to the bathroom knocking eagerly. “Hansha we—”  

The door opened and Hansha rushed out. “Sorry, sorry!” She paused then hugged Ani...there was something forlorn about the embrace.

Ani hugged back. “It’s okay. Bakugo’s going to keep you safe,” she whispered.  

Hansha nodded. “I know. Come on.” Ani recognized the glint of sadness in Hansha’s familiar blue eyes but she didn’t have a chance to ask about it.  

“Come, Shida!” Endeavor’s voice thundered. “We need to go.”  

 

 

 

Endeavor was only walking but his stride was so large that Ani had to half-walk half-jog to keep pace with him as they crossed campus. Bakugo, with Hansha clinging to him like a backpack, launched himself into the sky and away from UA. Ani felt a flip of her own stomach and wondered how her clone was able to handle it, but before she could give it too much thought, she heard her name called wildly.  

She and Endeavor turned to see Hatsume Mei jet-packing between buildings to them. “I did it!”  

Ani’s mouth dropped—she'd forgotten about her request! “Already?”  

“Yes! Though it’s not my prettiest baby it will do for tonight until I can make improvements with your feedback!”  

“Thank you!” Ani accepted the device reverently as the pink-haired woman quickly noted all her own additional features including the straps so Ani could wear it as a back-pack for easy travel.  

“Complete with bullet-proof casing to keep the device—and yourself—safe!” She proudly proclaimed.  

“Thank you, Hastume. Thank you so much,” Ani said and put it on.  

“Of course! Anything for my baabbiieeessss.....!” Her voice disappeared as she jet-packed away.  

Ani took Endeavor’s lack of comment to mean that he’d grown accustomed to the energetic woman. Maybe even respected her. 

“Sorry. I’m all set!” She felt self-conscious, like she was inconveniencing Endeavor but he didn’t say anything, again. They resumed their hurried pace out into the city...

 

where the streets were empty. 

Chapter 100: Incision

Chapter Text

“Where is everyone?” Ani asked herself, not expecting an answer but Endeavor surprised her. 

“The whole city is like this.” 

Froppy had been right. There was a tension fizzling in the air and Ani was suddenly overcome with worry.  

Could they really do this? Would they really be able to find the Absolved? Was Shouto going to be— 

She stopped abruptly, grabbing Endeavor’s arm who stopped with a sharp look at her. “It’s that quirk...I can feel it already.” 

In a deep, hushed tone he asked “you’re sure it’s that woman?” 

Ani nodded and he didn’t question it again before reporting over the radio. “Yes that’s...” His fiery brow furrowed and he turned to Ani. “Teams all over the city are saying they can feel it, too.”  

“How is that possible?” Ani asked, looking around for any sign of Umeji’s wife. There was none. 

Endeavor scowled and nodded. “Right. Ani and I are heading your way.”  

Ani tried not to stumble as she rang alongside Endeavor; she didn’t think he would ever use her name...and she realized he must be affected by the degradation, too. They all were.  

Endeavor led Ani through deserted streets following some directions another team was giving him and Ani realized now that she was aware of the mental assault she could direct her regeneration against it. She even felt a shift in the potency of the self-doubt and stopped running. Endeavor halted, too. 

“What is it?” He asked from behind her as she turned. 

“It was stronger in that direction,” Ani said and took off the opposite way, hypothesis confirmed as they ran and the feeling of self-deprecation intensified. Only a few people were out on the sidewalks or driving around and they all kept their heads down, eyes low; Umeji’s wife must have somehow gotten stronger and could project the awful manipulation over vast areas now. The thought fueled Ani’s body. She was drenched in sweat by the time they reached the next district and a flicker of color caught her eye.  

“Oh my God...” Ani said as if she’d seen a ghost.  

Endeavor looked in the direction, too. “What did you see?”  

“The gym leader.” She turned to Endeavor. “But we’re nowhere near when they saw her last...right?”  

“Not yet,” Endeavor said with a shake of his head. Ani saw a tremor through his expression and she gulped. Her regeneration must be blocking more of the quirk than she realized... “There!”  

He said and pointed to a gap between buildings. Ani saw it too. Rua was running down the next block and they sprinted after her as Endeavor relayed this, too. She was panting by the time they rounded the corner and saw Rua disappear into a parking garage.  

Ani rushed after Endeavor as he charged ahead while shouting the address into the radio and willed her body to move faster, trying to keep the hope at bay that this would lead them to Shouto.  

“Come on!” Endeavor unceremoniously grabbed Ani’s waist, hoisting her like a sack of groceries as he climbed the side of the structure with melting footsteps.  

Ani cupped her mouth. Hanging like this was even worse than flying and her stomach instantly flipped, filling her with nausea. She was grateful she hadn’t eaten. They were at the top in a matter of seconds and Endeavor set her down on her feet but she collapsed to her hands and knees, dry heaving.  

“Give it up!” shouted Endeavor as he stormed across the flat parking area to the two women in the middle. They turned and Ani’s heart gave a weak flip as she recognized Umeji’s wife and Rua. 

...Together.  

Suspicion prickled Ani’s skin.  

That was too easy.  

She watched, unable to call out her instincts to Endeavor who seemed committed to ending this quickly, as Rua deflected his attempts to take her into custody. Umeji’s wife tried to flank him but he was an experienced fighter. He doused her in an unforgiving river of fire for a split-second, looking only to deter her but her flesh was melting away. 

Ani’s eyes widened as she recognized the melting muck of a clone. Endeavor had wrangled Rua’s arms behind her back before she looked over her shoulder and gave Ani a victorious grin 

And vanished.  

Ani felt like she had been drenched in frigid water. Endeavor looked around in angry confusion as Ani’s equilibrium finally reset; she saw the warp-gate first.  

“ENDEAVOR!” She screamed and he whipped out of the way not a moment too soon. Sinister blue fire poured out of the growing warp-gate as Endeavor rejoined Ani’s side, helping her stand up. Stating the obvious Ani shouted “we need to get out of here!”  

They turned, ready to make an escape down over the side of the building when another warp-gate appeared and Shigaraki stepped out onto the edge of the roof. Ani trembled, throat closing up in fear, and Endeavor put an arm in front of her protectively shuffling her backwards.  

Ani bit her lip, holding back her cry as she heard another warp-gate opening behind them.  

“Ehh?” Shigaraki looked around Endeavor at Ani before addressing the old pro. “I didn’t expect that to be so easy...Thanks for the delivery, old man...” Shigaraki’s red eyes lit up. “Now we just need to make sure she’s the original.”  

A pair of rough hands wrenched Ani away from her protector and spun her around. She was frozen in fear under Dabi’s greedy, eager gaze.  

“I’ve been waiting so long for this, princess...” A sadistic grin spread across his face as Ani felt his palms begin to ignite but she was ripped from his hands, body replaced by a rush of orange fire that was met flame-for-flame with Dabi’s incinerating blaze.  

Endeavor’s years of professional hero work were evident in his motions, his decisions...all of his instincts as he fought against multiple merciless opponents who were all hellbent on getting to Ani.  

He was backing her away from them, using himself and his flames as a shield against the onslaught of Dabi’s attacks. Through her fear and panic she could hear Dabi verbally attacking his father, too, for all the years of torture and abuse. Her heart was racing with adrenaline and... sympathy ...she wasn’t sure if it was for Endeavor or Dabi or both but she was quickly overcome with fear as they were forced to the edge of the parking structure.  

With one more furious gust of fire they were pushed over the edge and Ani screamed, the sound lost in rushing air.  

She slammed into solid concrete, losing all the air in her lungs, but she hadn’t hit the ground. Kurogiri caught and dropped her back onto the parking garage. Far above the structure she saw another gate open and felt her eyes widen, mouth part with a soundless scream as Endeavor’s body was released too far above the building.  

Horror framed the image of Endeavor falling helplessly through the sky, too disoriented to do anything. 

“So long... failure ...” sneered Dabi as he created a pillar of blue flame that Endeavor’s body fell though.  

She saw a shadow of his own flames within the pillar as he tried to do something to buffer himself but it was too late. 

Ani didn’t see his body land... 

...she heard it. 

With a sickening crunch he collided with the solid-ground and Dabi extinguished his fire. 

 He sauntered over to the old man and Ani could think of nothing else but how this couldn’t be the end. Endeavor had been trying so hard to improve things with Shouto—he couldn’t be finished now! Even as Twice and Shigaraki closed in on Ani and Kurogiri waited with a gate nearby, she could see nothing but hope to save him slipping away.  

Dabi sneered victorious down at him. 

Endeavor laid there, chest rising and falling with weak breaths, as he stared up...years of pain and war passed between them... 

Dabi opened his hand— 

“You! STOP!”  

A powerful voice commanded and caught the attention of the villains who looked up, high above the parking garage, at the source floating high above them. A powerful swirling wind began to push the villains around and more heroes came up over the side of the structure...distracting Dabi for a moment. 

 

A moment too long. 

 

Endeavor cremated his son.  

 

Ani felt reality shift as the tide of flame rushed upward and devoured Shouto’s older brother who had done nothing but rain pain and terror down in Ani’s life. 

 

When Endeavor cut the fire there was no mud left behind. Ashes floated back down to the ground... 

 

Dabi was gone. The real Dabi. 

 

Ani was aghast. At Endeavor for killing his son, at herself for the soul-deep relief she felt—but it didn’t stop her from crawling to the old pro between raging gusts of wind and the growing brawl between the remaining villains. 

Ani had to get to him. She focused on his breathing; she could still save him as long as he kept breathing. She willed him to stay alive for Shouto’s sake.   

When she finally made it to his side his breath was labored, eyes unfocusing as she hovered above him.  

“Endeavor? Endeavor! Stay with me!” she said, drawing on the years of emergency services to keep it together. “You’re going to be alright!”  

She was pulling the pack off, hands flurrying and preparing to administer a direct transfusion to save Endeavor’s life when one of his massive, rough hands gently covered hers.  

She met his blue eyes that looked up to her with a gentle expression she’d never seen from him before.  

He shook his head.  

Ani stared, eyes wide and quickly filling with tears.  

...He couldn’t be suggesting... 

“You have to let me heal you!”  

He shook his head again and gently squeezed her hand. “Save...it...” He took a dry, rasping breath. “For...Shouto...”  

“No!” Ani let out a painful sob. “We need you! Shouto needs you!”  

He coughed up blood and it broke Ani’s heart when he held her hands in place, preventing her from helping him. “Save...my son...” He coughed again and it was dry this time, hoarse with dying breath. “Give him...what I..could not...”  

Tears rained from Ani’s face as she nodded and whispered “love.” She wrapped her hands around Endeavor’s and stayed by his side. 

“...You..” The hint of a smile weakly tugged the corners of his mouth. “...are...enough...”  

Endeavor’s eyes unfocused. His head rolled to the side and his hands fell away from Ani’s. The sound of her heartbreak was swallowed by the combat around her. She screamed, grabbing the front of Endeavor’s old pro-hero uniform in her fists, and cried.  

Chapter 101: Retractor

Chapter Text

Ani knew the pain of losing a parent and it was something she wouldn’t wish upon her worst enemy. 

And now it happened to the love of her life.  

Though Shouto didn’t know yet, Ani felt the unavoidable pain that was waiting for him. She mourned all the things that could have been in the future and all the things from the past that had not yet been healed. She knew Shouto’s father was still trying to make up for Shouto’s childhood and even make amends with Shouto’s mother. 

But there would be no more.  

Ani wasn’t aware of the quiet that had settled around her until someone else kneeled down on the other side of Endeavor.  

“Miss, are you alright?” The man asked with quiet passion.  

She pushed herself up and wiped her eyes so she could properly see the hero across from her. He was a huge man with a dramatic maroon costume including an oversized glove on his left hand. She nodded. “Thank you for saving me.”  

The hero looked like he had a response until he realized who laid before Ani. “...E-Endeavor?!”  

Ani nodded, blocking a sob with her hand unable to speak. 

“He was my favorite hero when I was a child,” admitted the man. He pulled his hat off his head to cover his chest and a deep sadness creased his face.  

“Really?” Ani asked, grateful to have someone to share the grief with. 

Yes.” He closed his eyes and frowned passionately. “I always admired how he tried to become someone his son could be proud of!”   

Ani scrutinized the hero across from her. “...What’s your name?”  

The man’s mouth popped open, voice intensifying with hurt. “ Miss Shida do you not remember me? ”  

Of course this was a hero she’d met before her memory had been altered. “I-I’m sorry!” Her brow furrowed and she shook her head, starting to cry again. 

“Boss, you’re scaring her!” A gentle woman’s voice joined them and Ani looked at the hero crouching next to her. Her costume consisted of a maroon tank top and gray shorts, matching her boss. The belt across her waist and straps forming an ‘x’ across her chest were equipped with dozens of tiny canisters. “It’s okay, you’re safe now.”  

Ani caught a faint whiff of something and she immediately covered her mouth. “Who are you!”  

“Talk about scaring her, Aero,” commented a man behind the boss. 

“Forgive me. I was only trying to help you relax.” The woman next to Ani bowed her head. “My name is ‘Aerozoru’.” She turned her face back up to Ani’s; there was no maliciousness in her steel-gray eyes. “You can call me Aero.”  

 “ And I’m the pro-hero Gale Force! ” said the large man who stood up creating a tower of wind that rushed around them. Though Ani couldn’t remember when she had met him, something about him felt familiar. Comforting.  

“Miss Shida,” he said with quiet passion. “We have to keep moving. You’re trying to find Todoroki, aren’t you?”  

“Yes.” Her eyes tightened. “How did you know?!”  

“I saw the news.” Gale Force cleared his throat. “You and I met several months ago—almost a year now—when you and Todoroki were on vacation together. I don’t know if he ever told you but our schools crossed paths when we were trying to become heroes!”  

“I...I don’t remember if he did...” Ani wasn’t sure if she should admit to strangers her memory had been altered.  

That’s certainly alright!” The man said, still on the brink of yelling. “When we were younger I hated the way Shouto’s eyes were cold and dispassionate! I was invigorated to finally see a spark of passion in him when I first met you so long ago so you can imagine my surprise at all of these scandalous reports! Everything being circulated clearly contradicted what I saw for myself during your trip so we came to investigate. ”  

“And clearly you were right,” muttered the other sidekick behind Gale Force.  

Ani was barely keeping it together...There were too many things to process and think about all at once. Too many forgotten memories and lost feelings among the pain of the present and challenges of the future. 

She needed to find  Shouto. 

Her eyes sank back to Endeavor’s lifeless form.  

Time was working against her. 

“I am sorry we were not sooner,” Aero said, folding her hands and bowing her head.  

“There’s a group of heroes...We’re all working together to save the city and I need to check in.” Feeling numb Ani took Endeavor’s radio and equipped it on herself immediately getting overwhelmed by the relay of communication.  

One voice stuck out. “Has anyone heard from Ani?!” Bakugo snarled.  

Her voice trembled. “I-I’m here.”  

“Thank god!”   

“For fuck’s sake!”   

“What happened?!”   

“Where are you?!”   

Ani’s head throbbed as she gave her location. “Endeavor and I saw that gym leader but she must have some sort of teleportation quirk! She can vanish! And there was only a clone of Umeji’s wife here.”  

She can teleport,” snarled Jiro to her teammates. “Yeah, makes a lot of sense!”  

Lemillion interjected. “We just got Umeji to the hospital— Shida , you were right! He’s not well ! Jireta messed him up so badly he can’t even talk!”   

Into the radio Jiro added “we keep losing track of Rua, goddamnit!” 

“Wait, Ani—” M.I. cut in realizing the situation. “Where’s Endeavor?!”  

Ani rubbed her temples trying to keep everything straight as the three heroes around her waited and kept watch. She tried not to cry as she answered “he’s dead.”  

Everyone on the radios went silent except for the calls of their teammates in the background.  

She forced herself to keep going. “It was a trap. The League was waiting here for us.”  

Everyone began talking over each other again in a babbling rush:  

“He’s dead?!”   

“How is that possible?”  

“Couldn’t you save him?”    

“Who killed him?!  

“Are you hurt?”   

“Your blood didn’t work?!”   

“Who was there?”   

“Where are you now!!!”   

“Are you okay?!”   

Ani pressed the heels of her palms into her eyes. “No, No.” She tried to talk over the noise. “I’m fine. I was rescued by other heroes.”  

“What?!”   

“Who’s there with you!”   

Rua’s heading into the industrial zone of the gas district!”   

“Fuck!”   

“What agency are they from?!”  

“Is the League still there?!”   

“What heroes?”   

Ani’s head was spinning. She was not used to this. “Gale Force and his sidekicks. They’re still here with me.”  

“Thank god. Oh shit, there's a—”  

“Wait—No! Rua was just seen by the hospital!”    

Shida-san,” Froppy’s croaking voice came in. Yaoyorozu can’t make the antivenom!”  

“Shit!”   

“Fuck!”   

“Damn it!” Ani said and the heroes around her, unaware of what was happening, glanced at her. 

Shida -san! What’s happening!” Gale Force thundered.  

She tuned out the clamoring voices and turned her attention to the heroes around her. “The villains we’re facing are from two organizations: the League of Villains and the Absolved.”  

Aero cursed. “The Absolved are out here?”  

“Yes,” Ani quickly answered. “And they have someone with a neurotoxin quirk who keeps targeting heroes. I don’t know how many have been attacked so far. We have an antivenom but only enough to protect one or two people, let alone a whole city.”  

“I can help with that!” Aero snapped her fingers and winked at Ani.  

“You can?!” Ani’s eyes bulged with hope.  

She is Aerozoru : The Aerosol Hero!” Gale Force roared.  

Earo grinned. “I can spray out any liquid I drink!”  

Ani’s mind raced. “How much do you need?”  

“Not very much.” She flexed her muscles. “I pressurize the vapor I spray so a little goes a long way.”  

“Oh my god...” Ani turned her attention back to the radio but heard: 

“Fuck I found another hero paralyzed!”  

“Our supeona request has been denied!” Iida reported. “ I’m returning to the field with several sidekicks. Where is assistance needed most?!”  

Here!” Kirishima called out his location. “There’s injured heroes all over the place here!”   

Ani shouted “Froppy! Froppy! I need to get to Aino! There’s a hero here who can help with the antivenom.”  

Can you meet me on top of Yaoyorozu’s agency?! She’s coming out to help us!”   

Ani turned to her three new allies “Can you—” but before she could ask her question she heard Bakugo’s voice echo from behind her and through the radio.  

“I’ve got you, goldilocks.” He landed with explosive flair next to her.  

Who are you!” Gale Force demanded. When Bakugo scowled up Gale Force grinned, recognizing the number three pro. “Ground Zero!”  

“Come on, dumbasses! You’re just sitting here, begging for the League to come back!” He roared.  

Ani looked back to Endeavor’s body, heart breaking as she knew she had to leave it behind. Trying to keep it together she pulled off his left fingerless glove and grill guard, adding it to her backpack. 

She stood up as quickly as she could manage and asked Gale Force “will all of you come with us and help?”  

OF COURSE!” The three of them roared passionately. 

“Here—” she pulled off the radio and gave it to Gale Force, urging him to take it. “Please. We need your help and you need to know what’s going on.”  

Thank you, Miss Shida -san!” Gale Force gratefully accepted it and put it on, loudly introducing himself.  

“Jesus, you don’t have to fucking yell!” Bakugo snarled at the deafening man. He took Ani’s arms, guiding her to his back but she panicked. “N-no, I can’t travel like that!”  

“You’ll be fine, goldilocks. Hansha just doesn’t look.” He hauled her up and grabbed her legs, tucking her against him as he had with her clone. 

“Wait, where is Hansha?!” Ani asked. Her question was lost as Bakugo launched them into the air and Ani squeezed her eyes shut. 

 

 

~

 

 

“God your quirk is so annoying,” Namika said as she rubbed her temples.  

Jireta smirked from where she stood on the roof, making sure not to let her own amusement interfere with the torrent of energy she was blasting into Namika.  

Rua appeared in front of them, face screwing up in pain as she got a blast of Namika’s amplification. “Can’t you direct it at all?!” She snapped.  

“You know I can’t!” growled Namika. “How much longer do I fucking have to keep this up for?!”  

“They fell for the first trap.”  

“Does Ryoshi know?!” Jireta asked.  

“Of course she does!” Namika snapped. Jireta’s own self-confidence slipped and she quickly restored it but Namika must have felt the shift because she sneered over her shoulder. “What, did ‘oshi not explain it to you?” She cackled then turned back around.  

“If you two are done,” Rua snarled. “They fell for the first trap. They’re getting close to finding Sekitsui and Mako. Stay alert.”  

“Wait! Where are you going?” Jireta asked as Rua started to fade.  

The orange-haired woman grinned reminding Jireta of Ryoshi. “I’ve got to make sure everything else is in place.”  

A few minutes later another one of the swirls opened and the furious-looking villains stepped out.  

“We lost our clone of you,” the blue-haired man said impatiently.  

Jireta was happy to notice the scarred man wasn’t with them. “So?” 

 

 

~

 

 

 

Ani tried not to think about the fact that they were soaring through the sky hundreds of feet in the air. Her muscles were all clenched in fear like a vice around Bakguo as he maneuvered them over the city; Ani could hear Gale Force and his team following closely behind. She braved a glance at them and saw Gale Force riding the wind with the comfort of a Flying Bison, pushing Aero and his other sidekick whose arms and legs had a parachute-like stretch of skin between them.  

The deeper they moved through Mustafu the more Ani could feel the pressure of Jireta’s quirk bouncing off her mind. She closed her eyes again and wrapped her arms tightly around Bakugo as he continued to jet through the air.  

She was shaking when they landed and her muscles were frozen, locked in place.  

“Ani!” Aino’s voice came rushing up to meet them 

“Give her a minute,” Bakugo warned him.  

Ani took a few long, slow deep breaths as her ears stopped ringing and opened her eyes. She looked around at everyone on the roof top—the passionate faces of Gale Force and his sidekicks were starting to change, Froppy’s wide eyes were vulnerably dark. Uravity and Yaoyorozu weren’t even standing near Ani’s brother. They were huddled together in a far corner of the roof and only gave the arriving group a cursory glance. 

“You can feel it, can’t you?” Ani asked and Bakugo helped her slide down.  

Aero wrapped her arms around herself and looked down self-consciously. “Feel what?” 

“There’s someone whose quirk can crush a person’s confidence,” Ani explained.  

“This is a quirk?” Gale Force’s other sidekick asked.  

“Yes,” Ani answered.  

“Pff,” Bakugo snorted. “I don’t feel anything.”  

Ani shook her head. “Of course you don’t...” To Gale Force and his sidekicks she said, “it’s just a quirk. None of what you’re thinking or feeling is real, okay?”  

“Okay...” Gale Force said as a vein in his forehead popped. He was clearly trying to resist it.  

“Shit.” Ani watched the three of them slowly weaken to the effects just like Froppy, Uravity, and Yaoyorozu had.  

“What the hell is happening?” Aino asked.  

Ani turned to him, watching it take an effect on him, too. “It’s that woman’s quirk I warned everyone about.” She ran a hand through her hair, trying to think of what she could do to protect them. Only Bakugo seemed unaffected by the waves of negative thoughts. If anything he seemed fueled by them.

“We must be really close...” Her eyes scanned the horizon, begging for any detail that might come in handy. “Bakugo...” she said. He grunted in response and came up next to her. “over the radio...have you heard if everyone else feeling it this bad?”  

“Half them. The other half are preoccupied with a fight.”  

“What?” Ani asked, head whipping to him in fear. “Why didn’t you say anything?! Where are they?”  

“It just happened.” Gale Force answered through gritted teeth. “It sounds like they were fighting in some industrial district!”  

“No, no, no...” Ani was panicking and it wasn’t because of the mental attack. She needed to find this stupid person and get rid of this handicap for everyone, especially the heroes fighting. She tried to think the situation through: The industrial district was on the other side of the city so Umeji’s wife couldn’t be near that fight because the effects of her quirk got stronger as they went in this direction. Ani tried to think of what else might be in this area of the city.  

“Yaoyorozu,” called Ani. “Where’s that gym, Illicium, from here?”  

Yaoyorozu gave Ani a sour look before flipping her hand in a direction.  

Ani turned to Bakugo. “We need to take out Umeji’s wife. Can you get us close to Illicium?”  

“Tch.” He pouted. “Of course I can.” Without asking for permission he scooped Ani up, bridal style, and launched before she could protest or even close her eyes.  

Her whole body clenched up, feeling so much more vulnerable like this. She didn’t even know how Bakugo was propelling them through the air if he was holding her. Through the dizziness she saw explosions firing from his feet.  

He grinned, noticing her observation. “Yeah. Pretty powerful, huh?”  

She couldn’t bring herself through the nausea to respond.  

They landed on a rooftop and Ani had to push herself out of Bakugo’s arms he was holding on to her so tight. “Is this it?” She looked around.  

“No, it just seemed like you needed a break.” There was a strange tone to his voice that made Ani wary. He turned his back to her. “Or at least to ride like you did before.”  

“Y-yeah, I guess so,” she said. “Thanks.”  

He hopped, shifting her forward so she was pressed tight against him and he took off once more. She was starting to get used to the feeling now and was able to keep her eyes open without feeling like she was going to pass out.  

“There!” She said and pointed over Bakugo’s shoulder to the roof of a large, gray building where two women were running for a door.  

Bakugo immediately changed course as they disappeared inside. Ani stumbled as she leapt off of Bakugo but steadied herself and was running after them, Bakugo with her.  

“It’s got to be them,” he said, barely panting as he sprinted. “I can already feel the effect of that quirk changing.”  

Ani nodded, out of breath, as they reached the door. It was locked. 

Bakugo lifted her out of the way and used his other hand to blow the door open. They heard the screams of the two women echo in the stairwell as the metal door clanged around.  

“Come on!” He shouted, setting her down and Ani ran down the stairs, slowly falling behind as Bakugo leapt over railings ahead of her. She was trying to keep up but a glance down the center of the stairwell showed her that she was already several floors behind the women and Bakugo was quickly catching up to them.  

They shouted something to each other, followed by the sound of a door opening and closing. Bakugo quickly reached the same floor and chased after them. Ani counted down in her mind as she raced down the stairs in a desperate effort to not be left behind.  

Pushing herself until she was fighting for breath she finally reached the door they all went through and followed, not noticing the warp-gate until she stepped through.  

Chapter 102: Excision

Chapter Text

Ani fell out onto the pavement of the dark alleyway, heart pounding as she realized what just happened. 

“So, we meet again, huh?” Shigaraki’s voice came from behind and Ani closed her eyes, tears already falling from her eyes as he kicked her foot where she lay.  

This couldn’t be... 

She was caught again and had no radio, no ally. No way to warn the others.  

“Say...” He walked around in front of her, lazily asking “where’s your body guard?”  

She wiped her face, forcing herself to look up at him and he smiled, corners of his mouth showing in a grin around the hand covering his face.  

“What do you want?” She asked, voice quaking.  

He opened his hands. “What I’ve always wanted. What I’ve been working for from the beginning!” He turned his face up to the sky. “I want to end this hero-loving world and reclaim the power that was taken from my master!”  

Painful memories fought for a place in her mind against Shigaraki’s grating voice. She remembered what Hogo had told her during their first real conversation.  

...But an opportunity presented itself, coming from someone who was equally enraged, and we’re taking it...  

“Did...did Hogo Sareta have the same master as you?” Ani asked, unable to look at him.  

“No.” There was a foul glint to Shigaraki’s red eye. “I was hand selected, groomed to inherit my master’s will and power. She was nothing more than a tolerated presence.”  

Ani was grasping at anything to keep him talking because every moment he spent talking was a moment he wasn’t torturing her or out hunting her family and friends.  

“Why did you hire her?” Ani asked.  

Shigaraki crouched down and tilted her chin up. “Because a good boss knows how to delegate.”   

“And what...you’re trying to catch me again to make good on your payment to her?” Ani was on the brink of tears again.  

Shigaraki grinned. “I’m a villain. I don’t have to ‘make good’ on anything.” 

Ani searched his eyes sensing his implication. 

“...Are you going to kill Shouto?” She asked, somehow already knowing the answer.  

“Nehh?” Shigaraki asked. “Of course we are. Especially after you helped him and made him even stronger than Midoriya Izuku.”  

Ani’s eyes widened as she realized what he was talking about and snatched at a last bit of hope. “What if...” She panted, fighting to get the words out. “What if we make a deal?”  

Shigaraki cocked an eyebrow. “A deal?”  

She gulped, meeting his red glowing eyes, and nodded.  

A look of malicious interest twisted his features. “I’m listening.”  

 

 

~

 

 

“WHERE ARE YOU YA DAMN BRATS?!” Bakugo roared out as he charged through the door. The two women he was chasing were feet in front of him when one of them tripped causing the other to stumble and they both fell to the floor. He towered over them, explosions popping in his palms.  

“Keep your hands where I can see them,” he snarled and they both complied. “Where’s your boss?”  

“Who?” One of them asked.  

Bakugo sneered. “Don’t play dumb with me. Who are you working for!” He could feel one of them trying to fuck up his mind and he wasn’t going to have any of it. “Which one of you is doing that fucking mind shit!” He set off a few larger explosions in his palm making them scream and flinch.  

“It’s her!”  

“What?! No, it’s not! It’s her!” They started squabbling and Bakugo’s irritation was going through the roof. The timer in the back of his mind was counting down. Goldilocks was slow as shit.  

“Quit fucking around,” he ordered. “I’m not in a mood for games.”  

She would be coming in any second. They hadn’t gotten too far ahead.  

“Who. The fuck . Do you work for?” He demanded one more time.  

“H-Hogo Sareta,” answered one of them. “But we’re just doing what she told us. Please, just let us go!”  

Time’s up: something was wrong. Ani definitely should have caught up by now.  

“Don’t fucking move,” he growled and walked backward to the door. He opened and leaned out into the stairwell.  

That wasn’t a stairwell at all anymore. He looked out into a hallway lined with hardwood floors. A different building entirely and more important: 

Empty. 

No sound of Ani rushing through wherever they were to catch up or calling out to him from a different room.  

“WHERE IS SHE?!” He roared as he turned back to the two women inching away from him on the old, musty carpet.  

One of the women stared up at him with a curious look. “That’s interesting...that your first question isn’t where am I but where is she ...” Her eyebrows lifted at him in surprise. “Are you...are you in love with the nurse, too?”  

Bakugo ground his teeth. “She has a fucking name.”  

The other woman quietly said “Jireta, what are you doing?!”  

Unphased by the comment, Jireta, kept her eyes on Bakugo as she slowly stood up with her hands in plain sight. “Does she know?” She ignored the other woman’s pleas to stop talking; the others were almost there but Jireta pressed on. “Does she know how much you love her?”  

Fire spread through Bakugo and he clenched his teeth, unwilling to answer the question.  

“Because it’s not a question of if, is it?” Jireta stood stillstood still, hands held out in front of her like she was negotiating with a terrorist. “It’s a question of how much. How much do you love her? How much are you willing to do to save her life?”  

“What?” barked Bakugo. It was so hot in this fucking room he could barely think. Why was he wasting his time on this?! He could completely crush these two moths to dust!

“What if you had the chance to save her? To be her hero?” Jireta spoke earnestly.  

Her words triggered something in Bakugo’s mind and he began to think about all the times he had already been her hero. How many times he’d saved her life, been by her side, and acted like the awesome catch he was. 

“To be her everything?” Jireta asked.  

Maybe if it was just once more... 

“I’m listening.” He glowered.  

Jireta’s expression remained open, trustworthy. “She’s in danger, more danger than any of you realize.”  

“Jireta, what the fuck are you doing?” The other woman whispered with hushed fury.  

She ignored her associate. “When this is all over, Hogo and that...that creepy hand guy. They both want Ani. Like she’s the trophy at the end of all of this.”  

Bakugo’s throat tightened with jealousy. He was the one working so hard to save her life right now. And those fucking villains thought they could just swipe her out from under him?!  

“But you can stop all of that,” Jireta’s voice softened.  

Obviously he could! He was fucking Ground Zero.  

“You can go to her right now and get her away from them. You can take her somewhere safe and you can protect her.”  

And she would be safe. He could keep her safe better than anyone else could, he already had! Bakugo was better suited to protect her and make her happy.  

Her clone had fallen in love with him. There was no doubt that Ani could fall in love with him, too. She just had to give him a chance. To see how good he was in every way. So much better than that fucking half-and-half who only ever brought her pain and misery. 

Though it contradicted everything he was thinking and feeling, Bakugo snarled “she’s not going to stop until she finds her fucking whatever he is.”  

“She would stop.” Jireta’s voice echoed his thoughts. “You could convince her and if her icy-hot hero were dead she’d have no reason to turn you away.”  

Bakugo’s head began to spin.  

Holy shit.  

Todoroki...Todoroki was dead ?!  

No. There was no way.  

“You’re lying,” he snapped.  

Jireta shook her head. “I’m not.”  

This random woman wouldn’t lie to him. He was too fucking powerful, too fucking intimidating for someone to try and trick him.  

“She can love you. She will love you,” Jireta pressed. “But only if you rescue her, save her from all of this now. Before they get her.” 

Bakugo thought of how he could find her and all the places he could go to keep her safe and all the things he could provide to make her happy and fill her life with meaning. There were so many things! It wasn’t hard to come up with options because of all his years as a pro and all his years loving her from afar. 

Jireta licked her lips. “And I can guarantee you that you don’t have much time.”  

“Yeah? And how the fuck do you know that?” he sneered.  

“Because she’s already here.”  

 

 

~

 

 

Ani stepped through the warp-gate into a different dark alley only a few feet from the door Shigaraki told her to go through. The one thing he couldn’t tell her was where Shouto was, only that he was somewhere inside this house.  

And so was the Absolved.  

Her heart was beating erratically. 

She needed to move. 

Shouto was waiting somewhere in this house.  

He had to be.  

She reached for the door handle and flinched as she heard her name shouted from one end the alleyway.  

“Ani!”  

She whipped around, eyes wide in surprise at Bakugo. She was mystified how he could be here already and her thoughts immediately went to the worst possible option. “S-Stay back!” She tried not to shout just in case the others didn’t know she was here yet.  

“Whoa, hey goldilocks,” he tried to calm her, opening his palms with a bunch of explosions as he approached.  

It didn’t make her relax. A cold sweat dewed across her skin as she backed away from him, eyes wide. “What are you doing here?”  

“I could ask you the same thing!” He snapped under his breath, looking at her suspiciously.  

Ani frowned. “Seriously?!” She whisper-shouted back at him. “I’m looking for Shouto! How did you get here?!”  

“I was tricked here,” he said quietly. “Chasing those dumb bitches who lured me through one of those warp-gates.”  

“So was I,” Ani whispered warily. She measured his expression carefully but if he doubted her, he didn't show it.  

He looked back at the street and gestured to Ani. “Come on. We have to get out of here. I tied up those pipsqueaks but their boss is going to be here any minute.”  

“No,” Ani protested. “Shouto’s here. I’m not leaving without him.” She took a step toward the door.  

“Ani, stop.” His voice was pleading in a way she’d never heard before...it made her pause. “We have to go now.” Ani looked at him, feeling conflicted. If there was a time he’d ever been so cautiously gentle around her, she didn’t remember. “I need to get you out of here. You’re not safe!”  

She smiled sadly at him. “Bakugo...I’m not safe anywhere I go.”  

“That’s not true,” he insisted as he approached her. “I can protect you.”  

“What?”  

Completely serious he said “let me get you out of here to somewhere safe.”  

“Bakugo, what are you suggesting?” Ani watched him warily.  

He stopped only a few steps away from her and she could see an unusual warmth in eyes, different from his normal fire. “Ani, I’m saying that I can protect you. I can take you somewhere safe and make sure that no one ever hurts you again.” 

“Bakugo, Shouto is here. He is inside this house and...I can’t leave him here.” Ani took an unconscious step away from him. 

“Don’t be a dumbass. There’s nothing waiting in there for you except pain and despair.”  

Ani sucked in a tight breath. “You don’t know what you’re talking about. And this...this is just wasting time.” She turned, reaching for the door but he grabbed her arms and spun her around so they were face-to-face.  

“Ani... please ...”  

She stared at him with wide-eyes at the use of her name. “Bakugo...do you hear yourself?! You’re still feeling the effects of that woman’s quirk—”  

“No. I’m not—” He started pushing her down the alley away from the door even though she tried to stop him. Her strength was insignificant compared to his. 

“—And it’s making you unreasonable—”  

“—bullshit—”  

“—You’re not—”  

“Shouto’s DEAD!” He roared, squeezing her arms.  

Her body went stiff. His eyes were locked on hers. She couldn’t look away but she saw how far from the door he’d already taken her. 

The word rolled through her like a wave of ice. Her throat closed up.  

“I’m sorry I didn’t want to...be...” his voice was garbled, drowned out by the ringing of that one word in her mind. 

Dead 

 

Dead?  

 

No. It couldn’t be... 

 

Shigaraki had assured her he was still alive.  

 

But Shigaraki also reminded her that he was a villain and wasn’t obliged to a set of morals.  

 

Bakugo was saying something, eyes flitting over her traumatized expression, but she still couldn’t hear him.  

 

Dead.  

 

What?  

 

 No....no...no....she felt like she was imploding.  

 

Shouto couldn’t be dead.  

 

He was everything to her.  

 

It wasn’t possible. 

 

Ani slowly covered her gaping mouth as she began to cry and pulled out of Bakugo’s grip. He didn’t stop her.  

“I’m too late?” She asked through a cracking voice.  

Bakugo took a step towards her. “Ani...let me get you out of here.”  

Her legs were shaking and she wrapped her arms around herself. With a sniffle she said “I failed him.”  

“Ani...” He stepped in front of her, cupping her cheek. “You didn’t fail anyone.”  

“Yes...I did,” she said incredulously. “If I was faster I could have saved him! If I was stronger—If I was smarter—or—or—”  

“You’re all of those things and more,” he said in his sweetest voice which was still like sandpaper. “There was nothing you could have done.”  

Tears streamed down her face as she cried. Her shoulders shook. “How did he die?” She asked. 

He met her with a hard stare and shook his head. “It doesn’t matter.”  

“Yes, it does,” Ani earnestly insisted. “I will never be able to rest if I think there’s even the slightest chance I could have done something more to save him.”  

“And what, just beat yourself up if there was?!” Bakugo grumbled beseechingly. “Ani, there’s no point in all of this, please —” It was clear he did not like saying that word but she wouldn’t budge. 

“Tell me,” she demanded, searching his eyes. “Tell me how he died.”  

“He’s gone!” Bakugo snapped and threw his arms up. “There! He’s just gone okay! Will you fucking let me get you out of here now?!”  

“You didn’t see his body.” She wasn't asking him...She was assuming and watched Bakugo’s reaction closely. He couldn’t meet her eye and that was more telling than anything he could say. She believed he wanted to get her out of here, that he only had her safest interests at heart but... 

She took a step back.  

“Bakugo...” she slowly shook her head. “Unless you saw his body, we can’t know for sure he’s dead.”  

The ash-blonde's red eyes flared with something she didn’t recognize; his chest rose and fell with labored breaths. “Come with me.”  

“No, I have to look for Shouto.” She turned and paused when he yelled 

“I still love you!”  

She could feel his eyes boring into the back of her head and the implication of his statement: she could choose the person who was alive, here, and very much in love with her. Or she could take a chance that Shouto might be alive somewhere.  

Her heart was pounding and every beat was a second wasted in her search for Shouto but there was a note of desperation in Bakugo’s voice that made her pause.  

“After all this time,” his angry words were imbued with a pain that was as raw as her own. “I still love you.”  

Ani gulped, not sure what to say. She expected him to turn her around again but he didn’t.  

“I told you what he went through when you were kidnapped...but I left out what I went through...” A heavy silence hung between them. “You’re the only person who isn’t unnerved by me. Who doesn’t try to change me or suck up to me or...see me as nothing more than a loose canon . Every time I’ve saved your life or been there for you, you look at me like no one else has...Like I’m incredible for being me ...not the strongest or fastest or angriest or anything... 

“It makes me feel like I’m a worthwhile human being...and not just some hothead who tells everyone to fuck off. It was like I had really earned your attention every time you looked at me...and I’ve never wanted someone’s affection so badly before.” 

Ani was silently crying, taking his words to heart.  

“I love you and I will do everything I can to give you a life that’s safe and happy and...and I know you can fall in love with me because Hansha did...” He hesitated. “Hansha is amazing...” He took a deep, angry breath. “But I don’t settle and I don’t lose. I won’t lose you.”  

Ani wiped away the tears, trying to calm herself enough to talk.  

“If you go back in there, you will die. The villains are coming for you and the heroes are maxed out. I’m all that’s here right now...” Bakugo huffed. “And I know I’m really fucking amazing, but I’d rather not risk you or your life against all of them at once.” 

Ani bit her lip, pressing her eyes shut with the pressure of the direct question he wasn’t asking: was a chance Shouto was alive better than him who was alive and here for her right now? 

“Come with me,” he asked once more.  

She could feel his heart laid bare behind her as time slipped away. She slowly turned, hating herself more than she’d ever be able to put into words.  

“I’m sorry, Bakugo,” she said and saw a flicker of heartbreak before his expression closed off behind his mask of anger.  

She turned and ran.  

Chapter 103: Shock

Chapter Text

She had know.  

Ani had to see Shouto’s dead—she shivered—fucking body to ever believe he was really gone.  

She ran as fast as she could and didn’t stop.  

Even when Bakugo’s explosive propulsion echoed through the alleyway and she knew she was truly alone now.  

She didn’t hesitate before ripping the door open, adrenaline pumping a recklessness through her and she charged into the house. She would start with the basement because it seemed like the best place to keep a hostage—even if it was the most obvious.  

First door?  

Coat closet.  

Second door?  

Computer roo— 

Odysseus.  

Ani froze, staring at the humanoid who stared back at her. “You,” she snarled and launched herself across the room as Odysseus turned back to the keyboard. 

The slight person was easily tackled out of their chair with a warbly cry. Ani landed on top of them and pined them to the ground. Odysseus was clearly not someone prepared for hand-to-hand combat as they tried to wrestle out from underneath Ani who felt her personal training at the agency kick in. Clenched fists landed upon the person’s futile attempts to block Ani’s blows but she had pent-up her feelings for too long.  

From being taken from Shouto.  

Losing her memories.  

Suffering through abuse and torture.  

All of her pain and heartbreak...She released it upon this reprehensible creature. 

And when Odysseus’s arms fell away Ani's fists dropped to their face as the flow of raw, unfiltered emotion and suffering rained down in a flurry of justice for everything this person had done to interfere in her life and help the villains. She let it all out and didn’t stop until there was a satisfying crunch. The sound snapped her attention back in place: she was supposed to be looking for Shouto.  

She panicked for a moment worried that she may have gone too far and started draining her own regeneration but looked down in satisfaction that the crack had come from Odysseus’s face, not her hand. She stood up, trying not to question her morality as a human being, and turned her attention to the screens. There were so many boxes and windows and information scrolling across in a constant blur. She was hoping there would be something useful to direct her to Shouto and if there was, she didn’t see it.

Time was running out. Along with her patience.  

Knowing this set-up was the key to all the Absolved’s preparations she reached behind the monitors and desk and started pulling wires. She yanked them out with such force it damaged ports and tore cables, sabotaging the set-up so when Odysseus woke up he wouldn’t be able to do anything. Ani even used some of the ripped wires to tie their hands behind their back.  

She stood up, chest heaving and covered in sweat, blood, and tears and closed the door behind herself.  

She kicked the handle until it bent—just to be sure the Absolved would have a little bit harder time trying to get inside—and returned to the most important task. 

It only took one more try to find the basement stairs and she was hit with a foul wall of air that made her gag. For a split second she feared Bakugo had been right—that Shouto really had died and she would find his dead body down the stairs. But that fear didn’t hold her back because even if he was dead 

She had to know.  

Flying down the stairs she saw a disgusting set-up that looked like the set for a porn film: massive bed, red silken sheets, cameras angled toward the bed at different angles. Her eyes scanned the rest of the bare space and her heart stopped: Shouto. 

She found him. 

She ran across the room as her soul fractured at the abysmal state in which they left him. He was naked, half-hung up by his wrists and his body was littered in the neurotoxin spines. He was covered in dirt and blood making it hard to see what other injuries he might have. 

“No, no, no, no!” She cried as she fell to the ground next to him.  The pack was already off her back but she knew she had to get the spines out before doing a transfusion. She didn’t even let herself consider that he might be dead. She looked around frantically for something, anything, that she could use to pull them out but there was nothing. She pulled down the sleeve of his sweatshirt and used it as a make-shift glove. She did her best to take out the spines as quickly as she could.  

Seventeen.  

There were seventeen spines littered across his arms, legs, even his face. Ani rolled him to the side, looking for any that might have been hidden but it looked like the sadistic shit who did this wasn’t malicious enough to hide any.  

It was time.  

She had to see if he was still alive. 

She reached for his face with shaking hands and braced herself for the worst. His eyes were unresponsive, face slack, and she tried not to cry as she pressed her fingers against his jugular, searching for a pulse.  

A weak, faltering heartbeat on the brink of failure.  

With flawless speed Ani inserted an iv into her arm, stuck one into his central vein, and started the machine. She watched her thick, dark blood flow down into the first tube, through the transfusion box and up into Shouto’s body as she connected the secondary line to pump his blood through herself. She ignored the tears dripping from her eyes as she anxiously watched his blood course through the tubes through her. The moment it hit her bloodstream she gagged. The neurotoxin was so potent, more potent than she remembered and she was suddenly scared her body wouldn’t be enough.  

“So, you made your choice.”  

Ani sprung up, whipping around to face the woman who had joined her in the basement.  

Jireta,” Ani snarled through a clenched jaw. The neurotoxin was already coursing through her making her muscle seize. At least she was already standing. Maybe it wouldn’t be so obvious to the malicious person in front of her that she couldn't move. 

“Wow!” She smiled condescendingly. “You finally remembered my name!” She clapped obnoxiously. “Good for you.” 

Ani realized there was no one else with her; she had come by herself. “What do you want?”  

Jireta crossed her arms and looked between her and Shouto. “I dunno. Just here to check out what you traded that egomaniac for.” She cocked an eyebrow at Shouto. “Can’t say it’s much of an upgrade.” 

Ani was battling the effects of the neurotoxin as it infused her entire body and couldn’t even find the control to speak. She didn’t want to think about the massive disadvantage she had.  

“What?” Jireta asked, giving Ani a confused look. “No snarky come-back? Or defensive comment?”  

Ani glared at Jireta, feeling her lip curl in the only response she could manage. She tried telling herself it was enough that she was still standing.  

A smile slowly stretched Jireta’s lips. “Having a hard time with that neurotoxin, aren’t you?” The smile widened ear-to-ear. “Yeah...they made sure to put enough in that even if you managed to find him you wouldn’t be able to bring him back from that. Although...” Jireta cackled. “I don’t know if he would want you to, even if you could.”  

Ani clenched her fists.  

Jireta clutched her sides as she broke into a fit of laughter. “Seriously! After all the shit Sekitsui put him through—you'd be lucky if he has the will to live anymore. I don’t know how she had the stomach to mess around with him in this state though...” She nudged his barefoot that flopped limply. “So disgusting.”  

Jireta turned her judgmental gaze to Ani who stood like a statue in the effects of the neurotoxin. It was all Ani could do to keep her eyes on the foul woman as she pulled out a switchblade. 

“You know...” Jireta casually twirled the closed knife in her hand. “You’ve been a real pest for me lately...Causing all sorts of problems by getting to know my husband...prying into our life...” Her eyes glinted darkly at Ani. “I was hoping that dumbass would convince you to leave but you’re too stubborn.”  

Ani knew it. She knew Jireta had fucked around with Bakugo’s head!  

“So now...” Jireta stared flatly at Ani. “I’ll just wait until you’re too paralyzed to do anything and kill you myself.”  

Ani’s nostrils flared, wanting to refute the statement but she knew she wasn’t in any position for that.  

“Really...It’s irritating how little self-awareness you have.” Jireta stretched her neck side-to-side. “How rude and self-absorbed you are.” She chuckled to herself and took a step closer to Ani. “And you still think your little boytoy here has been faithful to you.”  

Ani gave her a dismissive roll of her eyes and Jireta grinned evilly.  

“I’m not talking about the naked pictures. Or everything Sekitsui’s done to him.” She waited for Ani to look at her again. “I’m talking about Creati.”  

Ani felt her heart beat erratically against the neurotoxin and her muscles twisted in painful knots. 

Jireta smirked at Shouto. “Yeah. Caught them kissing at that stupid events a few nights ago...just before they served dinner.” Her confident gaze returned to Ani as she took another step. “It made that dinner very fun for me.”  

Jireta was only a few feet from Ani. So close that Ani could see the impatient twitch of her eye. “Not that I’ve had much fun since. But once you’re gone? I’ll become a legend. The villain who killed the unkillable woman who had her throat slit on live tv and lived.” Jireta stepped toward her. “Yet somehow whose magic blood couldn’t even save the person she loved.”  

Fury burned in Ani’s eyes and her whole body clenched as Jireta closed the distance between them. She was so close her repulsive breath breezed across Ani’s face as she said “and the villain who killed the number one hero.”  

Jireta flicked open her switchblade with greedy eyes. 

Ani tensed.  

 

It was over in the blink of an eye.  

 

Jireta fell back...eyes devoid of all greed. She had been consumed by her confidence and believed the weak look in Ani’s eye was surrender when it was really pain. She fought against the burn of the neurotoxin and used all of her strength to regain control of one arm and hand and struck Jireta behind her ear.  

Ani’s swift chop landed with enough force that Jireta was knocked out instantly. The switchblade tumbled from her hands, clattering to the floor in the silent basement and Ani’s chest was heaving.  

She stared down at Jireta, eyes ablaze with true power.  

“You will not touch him.”  Ani’s words were hard and cold. It didn’t matter that Jireta was unconscious, she said them for herself and for Shouto.  

Shouto

She quickly crouched, fighting against the pain in her body, and closed up the switchblade, putting it out of Jireta’s reach. Ani turned back to him. Her body was still on fire as the neurotoxin raged against her nerves but her adrenaline was pumping enough to push her through.  

“Please...Shouto...” she whispered, starting to cry again. She willed him to wake up, to ensure that everything that had happened had not been in vain, and went to check his pulse again.

Shouto’s heartbeat had strengthened.  

Chapter 104: Emergence

Chapter Text

Jireta groaned. Her head was throbbing and her body was stiff like she’d been lying on the floor.   

Oh shit... She thought when she opened her eyes. She had been.   

And she wasn’t alone. Hogo squatted above her, eyes glinting. “You fucking traitor.”   

“What?” Jireta asked, glancing around in a panic at the remaining members of the Absolved. A very injured Ryoshi being cleaned up by Mako who was only slightly less hurt. Namika hovered behind Mako worried about Ryoshi. “I-I’m no—”  

“I told them what you did,” Namika spat, giving Jireta a dirty look.   

Hogo’s expression was vicious. “I knew we couldn’t trust you.”   

“Jiri...how could you do this to us?” Rua appeared behind Hogo , looking down at Jireta with a hurt that she would have expected from Ryoshi. In fact...the nickname was one almost exclusively used by Ryoshi . No one else had taken to using it all the time, especially Rua whose distaste for Jireta was particularly strong.   

“Wh-what are you talking about? I didn’t do anything!”  

“Mm,” Hogo hummed and traced her chin. “Interesting...because in the middle of our fight against the heroes who had been discouraged all of a sudden rallied back and we barely made it out alive!” Her voice echoed angrily.  

Jireta gulped. “I. ..I was scared! I thought he was going to kill us!”   

“Bullshit.” Namika crossed her arms. “ Sekitsui’s DEAD because of you!”  

Jireta’s mouth dropped open in regretful shock. She whispered “no...” Mako stifled a sob.  

“What do you have to say for yourself!” Namika bellowed. “What did you tell them?!”  

Hogo cocked an eyebrow at Jireta, body tensing impatiently. “Well?”   

“Hey,” Rua gently placed a hand on Hogo’s shoulder, drawing her attention up. “Give her some space, okay?”   

Hogo’s nostrils flared but she slowly rose, stroking the woman’s smooth cheek affectionately. “You have until Mako’s done.”   

“That’s not much time.” Rua rolled her eyes. “You know how fast she moves.”   

Jireta was staring in dumbfounded confusion at the exchange. What the fuck was happening? This was how Hogo and Ryoshi acted toward each other...not Hogo and Rua. Hogo was Ryoshi’s girlfriend...not Rua’s.  

Rua’s luminous expression lowered to Jireta’s as she crouched in Hogo’s place.  

“Jiri...I know you knocked out Namika ...” She gently, almost lovingly shushed Jireta as she started to protest—again, as if she was Ryoshi . “And then you came down here and talked to the nurse and the hero...what did you say to them?”   

Jireta slowly frowned.   

When she had called that warp-gate for a way out of Illicium she didn’t expect Ground Zero to catch up and follow them here. She thought as quickly as she could, knowing they couldn’t take him on in a fight. She did what she could, what she thought was best to get him out of their hide-out and then when Odysseus told them the girl was in the alley she tried her best to get rid of both of them at once! It wasn’t her fault the egomaniac couldn’t persuade the nurse to leave!   

And then she even tried to intervene again when the nurse made it inside. She risked her life to try and stop the nurse from healing the pro hero and finally putting an end to all this bullshit. So what if she had to keep Namika from interfering. She obviously wasn’t hurt from it!   

Frustration bubbled in her blood like carbonation.   

Everything she had done had been to protect the Absolved. To protect Ryoshi!  

She looked at Ryoshi hoping she could talk to her because she would have understood. She was Jireta’s only reason for being here and from everything Ryoshi had told her... Jireta was her only reason, too. She was done with Hogo but wasn’t safe to leave in all of this. Ryoshi would have understood what Jireta was really trying to do: get rid of Hogo’s object of obsession so this could all be over and then they could all part ways and Ryoshi and Jireta could finally be together just the two of them.   

“Jiri...” Rua said in Ryoshi’s velvety tone. “We need to know how much you told them.”   

How much . Not what. Or if. But how much . Their minds had already decided.  

Again Jireta looked at Rua in complete confusion because of her tone and glanced at Ryoshi. “I-I didn’t tell them anything. I was just trying to get rid of the stupid nurse once and for all!” Namika scoffed and Jireta looked at Rua pleadingly, hoping for some level of understanding. “I’m telling the truth! I wanted to get her out of here and-and she’s never seen Namika before so I wanted to keep her identity secret but she wouldn’t listen to me so I did what I did to keep her safe!”   

“But, you failed,” pointed out Rua. “You didn’t do any of those things. You let them get away.”   

Jireta gulped. “I-I know.” She was floundering.  

And they took out Odysseus,” informed Rua, her voice beginning to harden back to the way she usually spoke to Jireta.   

“What?” Jireta looked up, longing for Ryoshi’s comforting tone. “What do you mean?”  

“While you were detaining your own teammate, that nurse beat the shit out of Odysseus and ruined our whole base of operations!” Rua condemned.  

Jireta’s face paled and she inched backward across the floor as Rua returned to her feet, scowling down at Jireta in her usual manner again. “I-I didn’t know!”   

Rua took a menacing step forward. “Ever since that first day I met you in the locker room at the gym...you’ve been nothing but weak. Timid.”   

Wh -what?” Jireta asked, still crawling backward. “But you weren’t there, it was Ryo—”   

“Have you seriously not figured it out?!” Rua snarled and Ryoshi’s head finally turned toward Jireta. At the same time their voices said “we’re the same damn person!”   

Jireta’s heart stuttered and she shook her head incredulously. “That’s...that’s not possible.”   

Rua vanished and reappeared a few times in various places across the basement, each time speaking the same time as Ryoshi. “Unlike you...I’ve actually learned...how to control my quirk...Made it powerful enough...to give it a name:... anglerfish .”   

Rua popped up right in front of Jireta . Ryoshi spoke alone and said “I’m the beast.”  

Jireta cowered under Rua’s condescending and predatory grin as Ryoshi looked away and used only Rua’s voice. “And I’m the lure.”  

“I couldn’t believe it when Namika told me you still hadn’t figured it out.” Rua’s hand flew out, grabbing Jireta’s throat and she gasped for air, trying to pry Rua’s jelly-like hand off her neck and keep herself from being pushed to the floor.   

“So foolish, so naïve...” Rua sneered. “I told you that overpowering the mind is so much stronger than being able to overpower the body.” She smiled maniacally. “I told you exactly how to manipulate other people...while you never realized I was doing it to you.”  

Jireta’s lungs were burning and she was losing the battle against Rua’s surprising strength.   

“Did you think you could come down here and kill that nurse?” Rua teased. “As if you were one of us?” She snickered. “You’ll never be a villain and you’ll never be one of us. You’ll always...be...” she leaned in and whispered “...a pathetic head case.”   

As Jireta’s eyes rolled back in her head Rua pushed her to the ground and stood up, towering over her like a master over slave. “You’re nothing but a. ..what did you call yourself? A stay at home mom with no friends...Who wanted to be seen so badly you pledged yourself to the first person to take pity on you.”  

Jireta couldn’t help the tears overflowing her eyes. These words hurt coming from the only person who had ever believed in her before...who was only just pretending. Every sense of belonging and strength and friendship she had felt with these people, this woman were a lie.   

Hogo helped Namika lift up Ryoshi . Mako threw a look of pure hatred at Jireta as she followed the hobbling group to the stairs.  

Rua stared down at Jireta . Her voice was cold and hard when she said “I told you you were special. And you believed me .”  

Jireta was filled with decay.  

Everything she felt since meeting Ryoshi had been a manipulation. She had been used. Nothing more than a pawn! Rua was right... Jireta was so desperate to be noticed and loved that she lapped up Ryoshi’s demented affection and sabotaged her own life. There was no life to return to. No future awaiting her with this group. Numbness rang through her as her thoughts spiraled down a dark, dangerous path.  

She thought she was strong and powerful that she could walk among these people who had...  

Who had what?...  

Jireta looked up as Rua blocked her way so she wouldn’t be able to follow the women.  

But... Jireta found she didn’t want to.  

Why would she want to follow these...these villains ...who failed at toppling the pro heroes twice . Who had instantly lost their fight the moment she stopped helping them...  

A profound truth began to form in the depth of Jireta’s soul replacing numbness with awareness.  

Ryoshi’s feelings may have been false...but her message was not. True power over someone was making them cower without ever lifting a finger...  

The dark thoughts that had been threatening to drown her moments ago were easily redirected outward. A destructive despair so desolate that all four women slowed in their ascent.  

Rua smirked. “Trying to turn the tide?” Jireta didn’t dignify the comment with a response and Rua sneered, trying to distract her as Jireta fueled the surging power. “You really are a headcase if you think you’re going to get out of this alive.”  

Jireta stared, astonished, at the four women turning to fight her—maybe even kill her—and failing to find the will to live. Any question Jireta had about the strength of her own quirk was gone as she brought all four women to their knees. Rua was able to do nothing more than fade out under Ryoshi’s lack of confidence to even control her own quirk.  

Jireta stood up, fingers gently picking up the knife the nurse had the decency to leave behind, and prowled toward them. Namika gave up first, breaking down into sobs, quickly followed by Mako whose eyes unfocused and her mouth fell slack. She turned the full force of her energy on Hogo only streaming enough onto Ryoshi to keep her restrained.   

“You really want to know...what I told them?” Jireta’s voice was ethereal.  

Hogo was trying to murder Jireta with her eyes as she huffed and sputtered, unable to command her own body.  

Jireta crouched in front of Hogo constricting her quirk around Hogo’s mind with an almost tangible sensation. “...I told them I’m going to become a legend...The villain who killed the unkillable...” Jireta let out a breathy, victorious laugh. “And I’m going to start...with you .”  

Jireta wasn’t even disgusted with herself when she broke Hogo’s last vein of morale and felt an orgasm of power roll through herself. The pink haired woman sagged back onto her heels eyes staring off and Jireta took a handful of her hair.  

“D-don’t,” Ryoshi said trying to fight against Jireta’s mental control.  

Jireta turned a deranged grin on Ryoshi and stepped to the side, angling the spray of blood from Hogo’s neck at her. Blood continued to gush from Hogo’s neck as her body fell to the floor, making Jireta moan and bite her lip in delight.  

Ryoshi wailed. “Y-you monster!” She tried and failed to conjure Rua next to Hogo but she no longer believed she could use her quirk. She no longer believed in anything... Jireta made sure of it.  

A woman unhinged... Jireta sauntered to Ryoshi grinning in a venereal ecstasy. “A monster?” She said in her airy voice. “...I thought I was a head case.”  

Jireta loomed over Ryoshi and stroked her cheek. “I would have done anything for you...”  

Ryoshi was gritting her teeth against the soul-shattering self-deprecation ripping her apart.  

“...because after all...” The bloody switched blade glinted in the low light. “...you set me free.”  

Chapter 105: Recovery

Chapter Text

God if there was ever a voice Shouto had wanted to wake up to it was definitely not Bakugo. And not just because he didn’t care for the explosive hero, but because of the volume.  

“Shut...up...” groaned Shouto. He reached to rub his forehead on a reflex and was surprised to find his hands were no longer restrained.  

“Sir?! Sir!” That voice was quieter at least...and more familiar... 

Shouto opened his eyes only to squeeze them shut again from the too-bright lights right above him. He covered his face. “Turn the lights off.”  

There was a hustle of activity and the lights dimmed. He opened his eyes again and saw the worried faces of Dojire and Chojen on either side of the bed. Aves, M.I., and Flora as well as Bakugo and Aino waiting across the clinic.  

Shouto’s heart skipped a beat as he was looking for the once face not there. “Where’s Ani?”  

“Take it easy, boss,” Chojen tried to persuade him. “You just got back, okay? You’re still healing.”  

Aside from all the terrible feelings about the state of his body—and his mind—there was only one thing he wanted and needed right now and she wasn’t here. He brushed off Chojen and Dojire’s attempts to get him to lay back down. There were so many things that needed to be said and explained. He had to tell Ani that those text messages weren’t from him and that picture—oh god that picture—was a set-up. He had to see her right away and tell her everything. 

His mind came up short.  

... everything ?  

A demented chill twisted up his spine at the memory of everything that woman was allowed to do to him. The way she used him. Did things to him. With him. Like he was some sort of... plaything . He felt like he was going to be sick. And after all that neurotoxin she left burning him alive he should be dead. There was only way he was still alive and a quick glance at his arm confirmed it. A cotton ball was taped over his vein covering the hole from an IV.  

Ani’s blood.  

Now the urge to find her was even stronger. He needed to see her, know she was okay and find out how he had gotten back here.  

“How was I rescued?” He asked, voice tense.  

Everyone’s attention was directed at Bakugo whose nostrils flared and he crossed his arms. “Why the fuck are you looking at me.”  

“Because you’re the one who showed up here carrying him,” Dojire stated.  

Shouto turned to Bakugo with a raised eyebrow. “How did you find me?”  

“Tch,” he scoffed. “I didn’t. Ani did.”  

Shouto’s heart did erratic things in his chest. So she had found him. Every implication of that hit Shouto like a freight train followed by an infinite number of questions. Not caring if he sounded desperate, he asked “where is she?!”  

A strange quiet fell over the room and Aino’s hard expression spoke volumes over Bakugo’s curt response: “we don’t know.” 

Shouto focused on Aino. “You don’t know...or you won’t tell me?”  

The surgeon’s fists clenched, his eyes angrily turned on Shouto. “She traded herself for you.”  

“...Traded...herself...?” Shouto repeated in a hostile daze as fear crystallized in his soul. “...to who...”  

Aino’s lips were pressed into a tight, trembling line. He was unable to speak.  

It was Bakugo’s voice layered with anger, betrayal, and heartbreak that answered “the League.” 

 

 

Shouto waited impatiently as Chojen checked his vitals and Dojire went to get his uniform. He and Bakugo were locked in an angry stare as the nurse awkwardly moved around Shouto. Everyone else had left for the moment. 

“How could you let her go?” Shouto demanded.  

Bakugo’s eyes narrowed. “Because I was carrying your dumb, heavy ass.”  

“You should have just fucking put me down.”  

“I did,” Bakugo said with a satisfied smirk. “Dropped you like a fucking sack of potatoes but she was already gone.” His face hardened angrily. "Last thing she said before she went through the warp-gate was that she was doing this for you .” There was such venom in Bakugo’s voice that Chojen shivered. “She asked me not to follow her!”  

Shouto flexed. “How could she do this?!” He held his head in his hands.  

Bakugo was wondering the same thing.  

 

 

“Bakugo?” Ani looked up at him as if he was a ghost...not at all how he wanted her to look at him. “What are you doing here?”  

He crouched to her eye level across from the unconscious Shouto . “I’m here to make sure you don’t die, obviously, since this shit-head can’t protect you.” He handed her a bundle of clothing and she blinked slowly, forehead creasing as if her mind was clogged.  

“What’s that?” She asked deliriously.  

Bakugo scowled. She was in worse shape than she thought. “Clothes. I assumed he’d be in rough shape if you found him...”  

“Oh...thank you...”  

Bakugo turned away, giving her a moment of privacy to pull the underwear and shorts over the pro’s hips. When he turned back she was looking at him in wonder.  

“Why did you come back?” Her eyes twinkled with sadness in the dim light and he almost regretted his decision to follow her.  

Almost.  

“I’m pissed off...not petty.” He scowled and pouted, looking away. “Besides. It’ll look really good for me if I rescue the number one hero.”  

“Thank you... Katsuki ...” she whispered.  

 

 

In that moment he hadn’t understood why she’d finally used his name or the strange tone to her voice when she did. But now he knew...it was her way of saying goodbye.  

He didn’t know how or what to feel anymore.  

“What is that?” Shouto asked and Bakugo followed his gaze to Ani’s backpack.  

“It’s the machine or whatever she used to give you her blood and save your life.” Bakugo had to look away. “She asked me to carry it for her because she was too tired...” He let out a long, exasperated exhale. “But now I think she just didn’t want to have it so there was no chance we could track her.”  

Shouto slid off the bed and carefully lifted it to his forehead, closing his eyes as if he could form a connection to her just by holding it. His knuckles turned white.  

“Ani...” he said with a hundred emotions running through his voice. He set the pack down and noticed a strange bulge in the side of the pack. With a confused frown he opened the pouch and pulled out... “Endeavor’s...glove?”  

He turned to Bakugo for an explanation and for once the ash-blonde was at a loss for words. He met Shouto’s questioning gaze with the least angry expression he could make but he didn’t want to be the one to tell him this. Dojire walked in at that moment and Shouto turned to his assistant showing him the glove.  

“Why did Ani have my father’s glove?” Shouto asked watching Dojire’s falling expression.  

The assistant bowed his head. “I’m sorry, sir. Your father...he’s dead.”  

For a moment Shouto seemed completely unaffected by the news...and then his shoulders sagged and he sank back onto the bed. “Endeavor...is dead?”  

Bakugo’s whole body clenched. He held back his instincts and normal responses...even he had enough tact to know when not to be an asshole. If Ani were here she’d know what to say...what to do... 

Her absence hurt worse than rejection.  

Dojire nodded and set Shouto’s uniform next to him on the bed. “I’m sorry sir.”  

“Is that all you know how to say!” Bakugo barked, charging the assistant out of the room with a slip-up of his control. Shouto didn’t reprimand him at all for it which made him feel incredibly uncomfortable. “Come on,” he said in his gruff, emotionless voice. “Ani’s still out there.”  

“How did he die?” Shouto asked quietly.  

Bakugo crossed his arms. “Protecting Ani. I don’t know anything else.” He stared at the impassive pro-hero with growing impatience. “I’m out. You can sulk all you want around here. I’m going to blow some shit up.”  

One of Shouto’s sidekicks rushed in, pale-faced, and pushed past Bakugo to hand Shouto a phone. “Shouto—It’s Utsubei! There’s been another attack!”  

 

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

 

 

Jireta wandered outside in a daze. She was high...drunk on the supreme power that had finally been unearthed within herself. She didn’t even mind that people were starting to come back out onto the street. It took nothing to mingle with their minds and tear them down until they were crumbling to the ground...these weak-minded people who knew nothing of self-loathing until Jireta’s power crashed over them and began to grow.  

She was the eye in the storm. 

Anyone venturing out was caught in the inescapable torrent of her quirk. Most fell to the ground, drowning in sorrow as their minds were overloaded with the control Jireta was getting off on. A few people leaned out of their windows to ask what was going on and it seemed like they weren’t affected until Jireta had a clear view of them...as soon as they were in her sight she could see and feel the devastating wrath of her quirk.  

Jireta ambled out into the street, sending cars veering off the road not just to avoid her but because their drivers had become powerless over their own bodies.  

Is this what it felt like to be high? 

Jireta found herself panting as she continued walking down the street leaving a trail of hysterical, broken people in her wake and anyone left standing was quickly running for their lives, trying to get away from this unseen threat. They fled from the intangible, invisible torture and the euphoric figure strolling through the city. The blood on her hands was beginning to dry and pull at her skin in the most arousing way; she could feel the heat burning in her cheeks. 

This was better than any rush she experienced before in her life.  

Someone called out and Jireta turned with a feather-like swish of her arms; she smiled in bliss at the sight of two heroes appearing a couple blocks behind her. They began frantically fretting over all the fallen citizens but before they could call for back-up Jireta turned her quirk on them with a squeal of delight.  

They looked up as she slowly approached them recognizing how out-of-place her demeanor was among so much suffering.  

“You there! Stop!” One of them, dressed in some stupid trash-bag, shouted. 

Jireta ignored the command, feeling more and more aroused as they looked at her in confusion and was that... fear ?  

She licked her lips as she kept walking toward them and the first hero broke-down under the pressure of her power. The second one noticed what was happening, that someone was approaching and their partner was down, and paused in their efforts helping a victim to call for help.  

Jireta didn’t stop them. In fact, she reined in her quirk just enough to give them confidence to relay all the information properly. She nodded, a maniacal grin spreading across her face as she closed the distance between herself and the hero. They stuttered, shifting to a defensive position, and kept calling for help.  

“Yes,” whined Jireta. “That’s it...” She panted, stepping closer which made the hero take a step back in their uncertainty of what she could do. She bit her lip and said “call for help. Call them...Call all of them...”  

She couldn’t hold herself back anymore. The crushing mental power was too delicious to deny and she relinquished control, sending this low-life nobody to the ground sobbing. She moaned as she heard the frantic calls of whoever was on their radio.  

“Who...who are you...?” The broken hero managed to ask.  

Jireta’s eyes burned with lust.  

They...a hero ...asked about... her ...And she realized as they stared up at her in wide-eyed panic and their teammates waited on the radio that they were asking what her villain name was . Her first instinct was to say ‘Head Case’ but that nickname was too tied to her past. It would have chained her to Ryoshi forever and she wasn’t going to give her the satisfaction.  

Even if she was dead. 

She gently stroked the hero’s face and had to catch her breath as they trembled in fear...it almost made her finish again.  

“Me?” She asked teasingly. “What’s my name?”  

The hero gulped, trying to maintain their dignity under the influence of her quirk. She backed her power off just enough to make sure they could tell whoever they were talking to.  

She smiled deliriously. “...Well...I'm going to help this world...sort through their feelings..." she traced the hero's quivering lips. "...so you can call me...The Therapist."

Chapter 106: Therapy Part 1

Chapter Text

Shigaraki stared vehemently at Ani as she cowered on the floor. “Where is it?!”  

Ani whimpered, curling into an even smaller form. “I-I gave it to the heroes! I didn’t know if they put a tracking device in it!"  

“Damn it!” roared Shigaraki. He spun around and grabbed a chair, hurling it through the air but it disintegrated before it could smash into a wall.  

“She fucking betrayed us! We have no way to get what she promised us!” Twice shouted, head whipping back-and-forth. “That was actually pretty good thinking ahead. They tracked us with that guy’s goggles before.”  

“I don’t care about being tracked!” Shigaraki yanked a fistful of Ani’s hair with four fingers and she cried out in pain, tears flowing freely. “If you don’t make me regenerate like you made that damn pro then I will kill him. Regeneration or not.” He tightened his grip making Ani’s hands fly up to his wrist trying to ease the pain. “I will find a way to kill him.”  

Ani was panting. “I-I-I'm sorry!” she cried. “I-I thought you all had a doctor or something since Kurogiri knew where to get those supplies that one time!”  

A pair of emotionless yellow eyes that were once her ally’s drilled into her. “That was quite a presumption to make.”  

“But wait, wouldn’t they have to come from a doctor’s office somewhere?” Twice asked. “She’s just trying to weasel her way out of this!”  

Shigaraki was slowly releasing the grip he had on Ani’s hair and she sank to the ground, not bothering to move away from his feet. “I won’t let this stop me.” He scowled down at her. “What’s needed to get it done?”  

Ani looked up at him subserviently. “Not very much. A sterile space, a few specific syringes as well as pain medication—”  

“Hah! Nice try to drug us up!” Twice cut in. “That’s so considerate!”  

Shigaraki gave her a crazed smile. “I’m not so worried about your pain.”  

“It’s not for me,” Ani quietly said, looking up at him at first with sympathy and then fear when his eyes blazed with a challenge. “The process is quite painful...but I’ve already gotten used to it.”  

“What are you trying to say,” Shigaraki asked in a dangerous voice as he lowered himself to her eye-level. She leaned away but he grabbed her chin leaving his fifth finger dangerously close to her skin. “You think you’re the only one who’s experienced pain?”  

Ani shook her head, eyes watering as she stared back at him. “N-no.”  

“Then what’s your point?” His beady eyes needled her expression.  

“I just...” she tried not to cry, her face crumpling in the effort. “I just don’t want anything to happen to Shouto!” She couldn’t hold back her tears anymore. They flowed down her face, dripping onto Shigaraki’s dry skin. “And I know you’ll kill him if you think the transplant is failing or-or I’m trying to trick you!”  

Shigaraki shoved her face away and stood back up. He kicked her. “Get up. We’re going to get what you need.”  

 

 

 

Ani was shaking when they warped into the storage room. “Wh-where are we?” she asked Kurogiri in no more than a whisper.  

His blank, misty face was all the answer she was going to get.  

She gulped and started looking through the supplies to gather what she would need...almost everything except for one of the most important parts. 

“Hurry up,” ordered Kurogiri.  

Ani’s nostrils flared. None of these villains appreciated the fact that she was going to be performing this on herself with limited supplies and limited expertise! Sure, Aino had done plenty of them on her at this point that she knew the whole process by heart but it was a different thing entirely to actually do it.  

On yourself.  

Ani whispered “this place doesn’t have the right kind of needle.”  

“Then make do.”  

“Make do?” Ani questioned in an angry hush. “This isn’t some biology project! I need the right supplies!”  

Kurogiri turned his glowing eyes upon her. “This is what you get.”  

“Can’t I just go see what else is out there?”  

“And try to escape?” His eyes would have rolled if they had pupils.  

Ani gaped at him. “Seriously?! I already told you that I know you’ll kill Shouto if I try anything so why would I do something so ridiculous?!”  

“You’ve lied to us before.”  

Ani knew exactly what he was talking about. “Well...Forgive me for trying to spare the life of a friend.” 

“Is that your definition of an apology?” Kurogiri asked, crossing his arms.  

“Of course not,” dismissed Ani. And then something dawned on her... “Are you... mad at me...for that?”  

The dance of Kurogiri’s mist around his rigid frame was menacing. “Mad would imply that I care.”  

“Oh my god,” whispered Ani in exasperation and she threw her supply-filled hands in the air. “You are mad!”  

“Because you embarrassed me in front of my master,” Kurogiri said, his composure exploding. “I trusted you, I vouched for you. And you made me look like a fool!”  

Ani pressed her lips together and shook her head. “I’m not sorry. I was never going to be a part of your organization and I never will be.”  

Kurogiri chuckled to himself. “Keep telling yourself that.”  

Without realizing it their voices had gotten louder and attracted the attention of a passing nurse who pulled the door open in one clean swoop.  

“What are you doing in here?” Her nasally voice was accusing, too interested in the potential gossip of a lover’s quarrel to notice the supplies Ani hid behind her back.  

“We were just leaving,” Ani said and gave Kurogiri a pointed look to go out into the hall. She was hoping he wouldn’t do something so ostentatious as warping them out with a random nurse right in front of them and he seemed to take the hint.  

The nurse stepped aside as they came out and Ani dropped the supplies into a small warp Kurogiri opened right by the door. When the nurse looked around suspiciously inside she saw nothing.  

“I need to find the right kind of needle,” Ani said under her breath and glanced at Kurogiri, nearly stumbling over herself.  

Kurogiri’s misty façade had disappeared to reveal unearthly gray skin around his bright yellow eyes. It didn’t stop people from staring. If anything, it seemed like it made people more uncomfortable than his purple mist would have.  

“What are you doing?” she asked, looking for signs to a surgery department in this unknown hospital. 

He gave her a demented smirk. “No one will recognize me like this.”  

Ani shivered and asked “have you been to this hospital before?”  

“Yes.” His features returned to their normal stoic state. “This is where my body was brought after I died.”  

Any curiosity Ani had been feeling was instantly gone. She followed him through the hallways keeping her head down and they were soon walking past a large waiting room filled with worried-looking families.  

“Where would the supply closet be?” Kurogiri asked her nonchalantly.  

Ani couldn’t look at his dead, decaying face as she answered. “I don’t know.”  

“Then we’re leaving,” he said and turned around.  

“Wait, no—”  

“Shida?”  

Ani froze and looked down the hall where Lemillion and Midnight stood frozen in the hall. Lemillion stepped forward, giving Kurogiri a suspicious look. “What are you doing here?”  

“I’m um...here to help out.” She gulped. “I was just trying to find Principal Nezu.”  

“We need to go, now,” Kurogiri commanded under his breath as the two pro-heroes started to close the distance.  

Ani knew the instant the warp-gate formed from the look on Lemillion’s face. He reached for her—and Midnight ripped a strip off her costume, pink gas already spewing out—but Ani turned and dove through the warp-gate willingly. 

She landed on the floor of the dirty room with an ungraceful flump.  

“Well?” Shigaraki asked, arms crossed and foot tapping impatiently.  

Ani dusted herself off as she stood up. She noticed Kurogiri was covered in his usual purple-mist again. “I couldn’t find the right kind of needle.” Shigaraki stepped toward her threateningly and she quickly added “but I can still do it with what I have!” 

 

 

Ani had all the supplies lined up in the ‘sterile’ surface she prepared and she tried not to be nervous. She was doing this for Shouto. She was doing this for everyone. To keep them all safe.  

She had to.  

Knowing the needle wasn’t the right size among so many other wrong things about this, Ani was starting to hyperventilate as she laid down on the floor and lined up the needle. No matter what, she had to do this. She blinked away tears and a figure appeared above her.  

Kurogiri stared down at her for a long moment before his hands replaced hers.  

“Tell me what I need to do,” he said with a stern cautiousness.  

She gulped and nodded. After a shaky breath she started giving him instructions, wincing when the needle pierced her skin with unpracticed imprecision and unsteady pressure. She ignored the tears streaming from her face; nausea weighed like an anchor on her gut.  

It was only a few minutes before the syringe was filling with a black jelly-like substance.  

“Why is it so dark?” Shigaraki asked.  

With sharp breaths through clenched teeth, Ani said “do you remember what my blood looked like?” She didn’t wait for an answer. “Well blood is made inside the liver. So—ah!” she winced as Kurogiri shifted the needle. “So it’s that much more concentrated.” She huffed, trying to catch her breath. “It’s full. Take it out now.” 

She pressed her eyes shut.  

“Sorry,” Kurogiri muttered, fighting against the suction of Ani’s body to pull the needle out.  

Ani clenched her fists.  

God she was so fucking tired and the pull of the regeneration closing up the hole as the needle left her body was only making it worse.  

She almost passed out. Through a clenched jaw she said “now fill the other one.”  

“Shouldn’t you—”  

“No.” Ani cut Kurogiri off. She wanted to get this all over with as soon as possible. Steeling himself, Kurogiri followed her instructions doing the whole thing over again from a second location a few inches away from the first. 

Darkness tinged the edges of her vision. “T-twice,” she called with a cracking voice. The masked villain appeared over her and she weakly asked for the iv. He handed her the needle, tube, and bag even offering to hold the bag for her as she quickly stuck herself and sighed in relief. She felt like a sponge, her body soaking up the replenishing liquid faster than she ever had before.  

Kurogiri finished filling the second syringe. Ani wanted to wait for the iv bag to empty...it felt so good after all the stress she’d been through over the past few days...just lying there...mind weak...body longing for a break... 

But it was a mix of hero voices in her mind that pushed her to sit up. She nearly doubled over in pain and exhaustion but forced herself to keep going and pulled out the iv in her arm.

“Wait, don’t you need to finish this?” Twice asked holding up the iv bag. “Finally! I was getting tired of holding it!”  

“Perhaps you would benefit from the rest of the solution,” Kurogiri agreed.  

Ani swayed as she stood up and accepted Twice’s hand that reached out to steady her. She shook her head. “It can’t wait. The cells in my bone marrow won’t survive long outside of a body.”  

She took the first syringe. Shigaraki waited sitting on the bed watching her with a fire in his eyes. 

Ani panted. “A-are you sure you don’t want any p-painkillers?”  

“No,” he said with a sly smirk. “I’m sure it’s nothing worse than I’ve felt before.”  

Ani gulped, not sure he would feel the same way in a moment and gestured for him to lay down. She reached for his sleeve but before she could pull it up he grabbed her arm, teasing her skin with the fifth pinky.  

“Fuck this up...and I’ll kill everyone.” His deadpan expression left no room for doubt. 

Ani nodded. “I understand.”  

He dropped her arm and she pulled up his sleeve with shaking fingers that steadied with a practiced precision the moment she lined up the needle. She gently administered the iv and connected the syringe full of dark liquid.  

“Kurogiri,” she softly said. When he joined her at Shigaraki’s bedside she guided his hands to take her place so she could begin the second transfusion for Twice who laid down excitedly babbling and arguing with himself.  

Shigaraki hissed. “Is it supposed to burn?” He asked.  

Ani’s face crumpled, fearful of his reaction. “I told you it would hurt...”  

“It feels like...like fire ...” Shigaraki snarled.  

Ani’s eyes shifted, mind racing. “...Your quirk...it’s decay right?” He looked at her venomously—she already knew that answer well. “My cells do the exact opposite. So if you’re experiencing a feeling like that...I would guess it’s because your body is trying to integrate the two.”  

“As long as it doesn’t override my power...” Shigaraki picked up the dirty sheet from the bed and turned it to ash. He gave her a greedy grin. “If it did, I would have killed you right here, right now.”  

Ani nodded, trying not to become desensitized to his constant threats of death. She turned back to twice. “Would you like any painkillers?”  

He gave her another two-sided answer that basically resulted in: no.  

Ani nodded and he pulled his arm out of the sleeve of his suit, leaving his mask on. “Can you please take your mask off?” She kindly asked. “I want to be able to see your face to monitor your vital signs.”  

Twice shook his head in absolute refusal. “I won’t be able to keep myself together if I take it off.” 

Ani frowned. “Keep yourself together?”  

“He had trouble with a group of his own clones once,” offered Kurogiri. “Since then it’s hard for him to stay in one mental piece.”  

Ani hesitated with the syringe. "Maybe you shouldn't..."  

Shigaraki chuckled. “I told you. We’re used to a lot more pain than you would think.”  

“Don’t even think about trying to deny me this power!” Twice snapped. “Though you’re very considerate!”  

“Oo-kay...” Ani said unsure but still committed to keeping everyone safe. Twice laid down and offered his bare elbow. Silence fell over the group as Ani and Kurogiri worked to steadily empty their syringes. Shigaraki’s eyes closed as he went to sleep, his body adjusting to Ani’s biological matter flowing through his system. Twice quickly followed.  

“Why did you come with me in the hospital?” Kurogiri quietly asked. When Ani glanced at him she saw he was looking down at Shigaraki, avoiding her.  

“What do you mean?” She asked.  

Kurogiri’s yellow eyes moved to her face after a long moment. “There were two pro-heroes within reach. You had a chance to resist coming back here and yet you willingly returned with me.”  

“I was afraid...” Ani whispered.  

Kurogiri nodded. “I suppose you were right to be. He would have killed everyone you love if you didn’t.”  

“Will you trade with me?” She asked, noticing his syringe was about to empty. They traded patients and Ani watched until the last few viscous drops were forced into Shigaraki’s vein. She withdrew the needle, closing the injection site with a band-aid, and reached up to his neck to check for his pulse.  

She did the same for Twice, finishing his syringe and checking his vitals. Satisfied with each of their conditions she turned sadly to Kurogiri.  

“At the hospital...you said you died...” Ani said, not sure how to ask about it. Kurogiri nodded but stayed silent, forcing her to find the words. “How...were you...saved?”  

“I was reincarnated,” stated Kurogiri as if it were the simplest thing in the world. “Brought back and given a higher purpose.”  

“Which was what?”  

He turned to her with pride glowing in his eyes. “To protect my young master, Shigaraki.”  

“Does it hurt?” She asked, brow dipping in concern. "Living in a reincarnated body?"

"No more than my regular body did."

She leaned against a wall, sagging with fatigue. She couldn’t give up. Not net. Not when she was so close. “So, you’re only alive...for Shigaraki?”  

“Yes.” His eyes narrowed at her. “Though it’s not worth suggesting that I have any ill-will toward him about it. I have no other reason to live.”  

“...So...” Ani’s voice trembled. “...when Shigaraki dies...what will you do?”  

Kurogiri spread his arms, turning his head up to the ceiling. “When Shigaraki dies it will be because power has finally been restored to the proper balance in this world. My purpose will have been fulfilled and I shall submit myself to the end of my usefulness.”  

“Then...there’s no one you would want to keep living for?” Ani asked sadly.  

Kurogiri looked like he was cocking an eyebrow though his face was hidden with purple mist. “No. Why?”  

Ani shrugged, unable to find the energy to respond with words.  

Kurogiri turned his attention to his young ward with a reverent affection. “How long will it take for them to recover?”  

Ani saw the shallow rise and fall of Shigaraki’s breaths. “It’s different for everyone...”  

He turned at her tired voice. “Are you alright, Miss Shida?”  

She nodded, refusing to collapse. “It’s just...been a long day...”  

Kurogiri was about to respond when there was a strange gagging sound from Twice. Both of their heads turned and the villain rushed to his comrade’s side; Ani hobbled over, too.  

“What’s happening?” Kurogiri asked urgently as Twice’s body began to shake. He tried to hold the masked villain down while Ani did nothing but watch. “Shida! Answer me!”  

“It’s shock,” Ani whispered. “His body is rejecting the transfusion.”  

“What?!” Kurogiri snapped. “How is that possible?!”  

"I don't know!" Ani wracked her brain. "He mentioned something about his quirk, right, that he can't keep himself together?! Well maybe this is my quirk trying to reconcile that, too!"

Kurogiri's eyes began to narrow. "Explain yourself."

"It's regeneration!" defended Ani. "My quirk heals every part of the body, whatever's broken it looks to fix!"

Kurogiri measured her expression. "That doesn't make any sense..." 

Ani threw her hands in the air. "I don't know! Maybe it's the other half of his personality, the dickish one, that's fighting back!"

Kurogiri stepped away from Twice, checking the pulse of his master's body. Ani held her breath. Yellow eyes slowly unfocused, lost in thought. "Your questions..." He turned to her. "Why were you asking about my commitment to Shigaraki?"

"I was just trying to make conversation," Ani said innocently and opened her palms.

"Why are you not trying to save Twice?" Kurogiri was dangerously still.

Ani stiffened. "Because there's nothing I can do to help him."

"Then why are you not more concerned about my master's condition?" Kurogiri stepped forward. Ani instinctively stepped backward, too fearful to answer. "What was his condition when you finished the transfusion?!

Ani continued backing up. "It was fine..."

He stepped forward like an angry dragon cornering it's prey. "Tell me...nurse...was his heart still beating?" Ani nodded. "Then why...is it beating so slowly...now?"

Ani met his eye.

“It’s because of the neurotoxin."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kurogiri's hand wrapped around her throat, pinning her up against the wall with a choke-hold as her feet dangled in the air. His angry yellow eyes stared up at her. "Tell me. Do you think you can regenerate if I cut you in half?" 

Ani gagged fighting for breath. Her hands were grabbing uselessly at his fingers that were as strong as iron.

"Heal him," Kurogiri demanded.

Ani pried at his wrist as hard as she could. He slammed her back into the wall and her ears rang. Her hands fell limply. She shook her head. 

"You can't?" snapped Kurogiri. "Or you won't?"

Ani glowered at him and he stared back at her with an equal amount of hate. She slipped her fingers into her pocket as she whispered "I. Won't."

With as much strength as she could manage she jabbed Kurogiri's forearm with a fistful of spines.

He instantly dropped her and reached to pull out the little toxic spears but Ani already had a second handful and aimed for his face.

He screamed, hands not able to move quick enough to remove more than a few of the roughly seventeen spines Ani had removed from Shouto's body. Not wanting to waste the chance to bask in her victory Ani thrust her elbow through one of the windows in the small room and shattered the glass. Ignoring the pain slicing into her palm—because really what was a little more at this point?—she grabbed a large shard and drew it through Kurogiri's mist, knowing exactly where his neck was after seeing his exposed skin in the hospital.

Was it done?

Could she sleep yet? Her body was revolting but she wasn't finished.

She had to be sure they would all be safe.

Forever.

Her consciousness began flashing in-and-out. 

 

 

She hovered above Twice's twitching body.

 

Why couldn't she slit his throat? 

 

She giggled as if something was funny.

 

She hadn't lifted up his mask. Once the fabric was gone she drew a red line through his body.

 

Gross. His blood spurted.

 

Fuck, it was all over her.

 

 

 

She was standing over Shigaraki's still body.

 

The glass cut through his neck.

 

His blood oozed out. Dripped on her shoes? 

 

She didn't know.

 

 

God she was so tired...

 

 

There were three pools of blood but “Doesn’t matter the job,” Ani deliriously said out-loud to herself. “What matters is how you do it.” 

 

 

She shuffled through the...building?...Eh...didn't matter what it was.

 

 

What was she looking for again?

 

 

God, why did it smell so terrible?

 

 

 

"Oooo." Ani smiled. "So pretty." And warm, too. She held up her palms.

 

 

Wait. It was too hot. Too bright.

 

 

Where was she supposed to be?

 

 

Why was everything on fire?

 

Chapter 107: Therapy Part 2

Notes:

*Trigger Warning* : Suicide

Chapter Text

Jireta tsked. “I really expected more from this hero community.” Fists on her hips, she shook her head at the whimpering woman curled into a ball at her feet.

“Who would have thought you’re all so insecure?” She asked rhetorically. “Ah well...I guess it can’t be helped.”

Jireta thought about all the days she spent wasting away in her apartment alone and scared to go out into the world. So many times her phone had been in her hand, text written out to ask a friend to go for coffee or a walk and she’d erased it for fear of rejection. Or worse...

What if they said yes?

She always hated being around people...it was so nerve-wracking accidentally saying the wrong thing and hurting someone’s feelings or offending them so badly they hurt hers. And it hurt so badly when she’d had fun and the other person just...vanished...never to hang out again. Jireta had always wondered if she’d done something wrong or talked to much or did the wrong thing and it was so frustrating!

She took a deep breath, careful not to let her quirk whiplash back onto herself.

It was liberating to set this fear free upon the world.

She didn’t have to hide anymore! She could go anywhere she wanted, be as free as she wanted knowing she would never have to cower in self-consciousness or fear ever again.

The thought was positively invigorating.

Jireta stepped over the fallen hero and decided she didn’t just want these few blocks. She wanted the whole city. Too bad she couldn’t make use of Namika anymore. As she strolled down the street she reviewed everything she’d learned about her abilities and decided it was time to test it. She was only a few blocks away from the nearest police station.

Jireta changed course. It was time to see how much damage she could really do.

 

 

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

Bakugo scowled, waiting in the hallway as the half-and-half was getting dressed and talking to the detective about some other bullshit happening somewhere in the city. Not that any of his dumbass classmates had said anything about another attack over the coms.

He was tolerating their incessant babble as he replayed his conversation with Ani in the alley over and over in his mind. If he hadn’t said Shouto ws dead...would she still have gone to look for him?

Probably.

She was irritatingly headstrong when she set her mind to something.

And maybe that’s why he didn’t try harder to stop her from going through the warp-gate.

Maybe it was because he trusted her...that she would be okay. That she had a plan and knew what she was doing.

Or...because she used his name.

Thank you...Katsuki

A final parting gift.

He flexed his muscles. No. This wasn’t over. He was Bakugo Katsuki and he did. Not. Lose. Not to villains. To other pros or friends.

And he sure as shit didn’t lose to himself.

He wouldn’t be his own downfall.

His thoughts continued to churn until he heard Ani’s name over the radios.

“Wait—what?!” He asked, cutting through.

It was Lemillion. “Shida! She was here!”

“Where?!” Bakugo barked over the other annoying people.

“Musutafu General,” reported Lemillion. “She was here with someone but we have no idea who and then they warped out.”

Bakugo’s brow furrowed. He was angry and confused by what the hell she was doing. “Has anyone else seen her?!”

No one had.

When Shouto came out of the room Bakugo snarled “Ani was just at Musutafu General.”

“What?!” Shouto looked ready to launch out window.

“Cool your jets, ice-man. She’s already gone.” Bakugo frowned. “What did your detective say?”

“It’s the Absolved, Jireta.” Shouto gestured for him to follow.

“Oi! Don’t order me around!” The ash-blonde barked as he went along anyway.

“She’s in Fralideja. She attacked a police station and got them to lure a whole neighborhood out in the open and is playing around with them!”

“What?! Why the fuck hasn’t anyone stopped her?!” Bakugo roared as they stepped into the elevator; M.I. was following them and took his phone back from Shouto.

“Six heroes have tried. No one’s been able to get close enough…she has a much stronger handle on her quirk.”

“What’s her quirk?” The sidekick asked.

“She fucks with your head,” snarled Bakugo.

Shouto answered more helpfully “from what we can understand she alters the way someone feels about themselves which in turn allows her to manipulate them. Bend their will.”

M.I. whistled. “Wow.” He pulled off his radio. “Here, boss. You’ll need this.”

Bakugo stormed out of the elevator leaving the two other men behind.

“Bakugo!” Shouto called out after him.

He kept walking. “What.”

“Where are you going?”

“I’m going to end that little bitch fucking around with people! Whadd’ya think I’m doing?!”

Shouto grabbed his arm and spun him around. “You don’t understand. Her quirk is pervasive—”

“I already know!” snapped Bakugo.

Shouto frowned. “You do?”

“Yes!” He ripped his arm away. “And I’m not going to let her get away with it again!” He didn’t wait for a response before he stormed out of the lobby and rocketed into the night sky. Shouto announced himself over the radio and the rest of the heroes freaked out.

They were all updating each other but it was noise. Fucking noise.

He had to trust that Ani knew what she was doing.

That she would be okay.

He would take care of everything else here.

He aimed himself to Musutafu's residential district.

 

 

 

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

Ani finally regained consciousness when the blistering sound of sirens pierced the night. She opened her eyes and watched a firetruck and police race into the abandoned shipping complex. She had no idea where she was and couldn’t read the name on any of the vehicles before their lights blinded her. There was shouting. Firefighters sprayed the flaming building and police approached Ani with their guns out, pointed down. She raised her hands in clear sight as they instructed and answered their questions as clearly as she could over all the other sounds raging through the night.

Her name: Shida Ani.

Where was she from: Musutafu.

Why was she here: She was brought her by the League of Villains.

That made them pause and she could see it in their eyes. They didn’t believe her but they called in a local hero anyway.

She assured them it wasn’t necessary; when the fire was out they would find the three corpses inside.

And then came the question she really didn’t want to answer.

Did she kill them.

Ani gulped and nodded, tears beginning to drip from her eyes.

The officers exchanged an alarmed glance. She knew any attempts to assure them she wasn’t going to harm them and wasn’t there to cause trouble would be wasted.

She asked where she was and who was the hero in the area.

A terrifying roar echoed through the night which made Ani shiver; a shadow appeared against the night sky and the police officers cleared a space for the incoming hero to land.

“Shida…Ani?”

Ani slowly stood up, eyes wide and heart racing. “…Dark Shadow?”

The purple-black bird spirit shifted aside to reveal an old acquaintance: Tokoyami. “Shida, what are you doing here?”

She was weak with relief. “I was brought here by the League of Villains.”

Tokoyami’s eyes widened. “The League was here?!”

“Yes, but they’re not anymore,” she said as he closed the distance between them. “I tricked them into making a deal with me that I would give them my bone marrow to make them regenerate if they helped me save Shouto from the Absolved but I used my body to clean Shouto’s when I found  him so I’m like a big bag of neurotoxin right now and used it to poison them.” She paused to catch her breath before the rest of the words tumbled out; Tokoyami listened with a serious expression. “But Kurogiri told me he was resurrected after he died and I didn’t want to take a chance happening so I killed them after poisoning them and then…” she gulped “…and I set the building on fire to burn their bodies to make sure they couldn’t be brought back like Kurogiri was.”

“Jet Black Hero!” An officer called from the smoking rubble. Tokoyami turned. “There’re bodies over here!”

He looked back at Ani over his shoulder.

“I’ll wait here,” she said knowing the officers were still skeptical and Tokoyami needed to take proper precautions as the hero-on-site in the situation.

She sat back down keeping her hands in clear sight for the officers as the pro walked through the rubble. Dark Shadow helped move things around revealing the three charred bodies. The bird-spirit turned to Ani with a big thumbs up.

“You did good, Shida-san!”

Ani didn’t feel good.

Not so long ago she never would have been caught in a situation like this. She had only ever wanted to help people. To use her knowledge and her quirk to save people from pain and suffering.

And now she had used it to take three lives.

Aside from the legal consequences she was going to face for three murders and burning down an entire building, she knew the press was going to have a field day with this.

But maybe that was for the best.

If they could scandalize her actions…perhaps it would draw the attention away from Shouto and he could recover in peace.

Shouto.

Her heart ached at the thought of him and she looked up to the stars twinkling away above her. She longed to know where he was. How he was doing.

But she had to make sure this was truly over.

Two more heroes arrived and approached Tokoyami who briefed them on the situation. He left the rubble to rejoin Ani. “I’m going to leave the investigation to my colleagues.” He gestured over his shoulder and the two pros waved from their place among the police with whom they were working.

“Am I under arrest?” Ani asked nervously.

Tokoyami looked at her steadily. “They have quite a few questions for you, before that's to be determined.”

“I understand.” Ani exhaled shakily. “Before I go with them, may I ask a very large favor?”

His dark brow furrowed. “What is it?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

 

 

 

Shouto rushed to Fralideja on a track of ice trying to suppress the feelings clawing at him. His father was dead; mourning him wouldn’t change that. Ani was somewhere sacrificing herself yet again and even if he knew where to find her, he knew he couldn’t change her mind. Her iron will from the years of looking up to Midoriya was one of the things he admired about her.

There were so many things affecting him and few he could actually do something about.

His body was tired.

His heart was breaking.

But he couldn’t stop.

There were so many things that he wanted to say, that needed to be said and they would have to wait. There were people in trouble and he wasn’t going to stop until everyone was safe.

He raced toward the conflict without hesitation listening to the other heroes relaying information as they all converged on the same neighborhood.

Over the radio it sounded like Bakugo had been the first to arrive and his report was not optimistic. People were down everywhere, bodies living but minds broken.

And then came the screams.

Shouto’s muscles burned as he flew through the air in time to see crowds of people walking to the edge of buildings…

…and jumping off.

He heard his peers discovering the same thing at the same time: Jireta was driving these people to suicide all at once.

Too many people for the heroes to save.

Shouto’s eyes widened at the horror, his ice already flowing to create massive luges between every building to catch the people already falling and trap the people still on top of the buildings. He didn’t stop. He raced on using the precision of his ice to trap people’s ankles, avoid his peers trying to help, and searched for Jireta.

He felt her long before he saw her.

That same crushing self-doubt he had experienced that night at the dinner.

He wasn’t worth it. Where the hell was Jireta? Why couldn’t he find her?! Hadn’t someone mentioned the limitations of her quirk already? Shouldn’t there be a way to fight around this? He wasn’t worth all of this.

His ice faltered as he tried to keep looking but his mind was getting overpowered.

How many times had he failed today alone? How many people had died while he was lounging about being healed by his girlfriend who very well may not be his girlfriend any more since the Absolved had broken up with her and the fact that she had come to save him wasn’t very reassuring because she didn’t even stay there until he was awake to make sure he would be okay and she just ran off willingly twice to be with the League and—

Oh my god it was suffocating him.

A zip of green light struck him, pulling him between two buildings.

“You have to stay out of the open,” panted Midoriya, poised to spring out again. “She can’t affect you if she can’t see you.”

“Where is she?” Shouto grunted as he tried to regain control of his thoughts.

Midoriya looked over his shoulder. “She’s on the west-side bridge.”

“That’s eight blocks from here!” There was no way her power should be able to reach that far…

Midoriya nodded. “We have to keep moving. Stay low.” He was right. Jireta was still driving people to suicide and the heroes were struggling to save everyone.

There were flashes of self-loathing that Shouto experienced but Midoriya was right. As long as he stayed out-of-sight from the west bridge he was able to keep his wits about him.

I can’t get close to her!”

“Fuck, she’s blocked off the sidewalk!”

“Shit, she got control of a bus driver!”

“Is there anyone in it?”

“There’s a dozen people inside!”

There was an explosion from the city on the other side of the river and an overwhelming amount of noise through the radio.

From the corner of his eye Shouto saw a rocket streaking across the sky: Bakugo.

He watched the ash-blonde try to make a direct attack to the top of the bridge where Jireta was perched and roared “Bakugo—don’t!!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bakugo had enough of this goddamned shit. This bitch had killed already and was trying to kill so many more. And none of these fucking windbags were even trying to stop her!

Everyone in his range was safe.

Time to fucking end this.

He blew himself up into the air, ignoring the half-and-half bastard as he had this no-name wanna-be in sight. She was standing on top of the bridge pillar in clear sight.

Was she a fucking moron?!

Seriously?!

How had no one taken her down yet?!

As always it was left up to him to finish the dirty work that none of these fucking sewer rats could ever do themselves but he never got the credit for any of it! She wasn’t even that strong just a puny—

A bright orange laser pierced his shoulder and he lost the explosive power from one hand; he was instantly veering off course and blood was pouring down his arm. He could feel Ani’s regeneration kicking in to close the wound but it zapped his energy and in that moment his guard fell enough that Jireta was able to weasel her way into his mind.

All of his hopes…

All of his dreams…

They were hopeless. He could see that now.

The world was never going to accept his disposition or acknowledge his hard work and sacrifice.

He was never going to be the number one hero.

And Ani was never going to love him.

He was disoriented, forgetting which way he was supposed to be rocketing himself. Rushing air tugged at the letter tucked in his belt and he felt his heart start to crack.

Hansha was going to leave him.

He was trying so hard.

And everything was going wrong.

What was the point?

Time shifted around him as his explosions went out and he let himself fall, hearing Ani’s voice rippling through so many memories.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Shouto was rushing as quickly as he could but he didn’t know if he’d be fast enough. Bakugo’s body was in a free-fall toward the surface of the water and all Shouto could do was intercept his falling body—hoping Ani’s regeneration could save him from any damage of the impact—and redirected him to the bridge, the closest thing to him.

But in order to save Bakugo he had made himself vulnerable and Jireta’s quirk hit him full force.

It should have been so easy, he realized in retrospect, to coat the whole bridge in ice and block Jireta’s view from everyone btu he hadn’t thought of it. He was too tired. Too worn out. Too slow.

He was finally the number one hero and he couldn’t save anyone.

Not this city of innocent people.

Not his fellow heroes.

Not Ani.

There was no point to all of this.

No reason to keep trying so hard when all he did was fail.

He looked at the rushing river and felt a call of freedom.

There was so much pain and failure and suffering in his past…how could his future possibly hold anything other than those things? It was what he was made out of…bred in greed and born in anger, raised with hatred.

His whole life had been meaningless.

Ani’s voice echoed from his memories, as if she could save him.

When he asked her to be his girlfriend…the elation in her voice when she said yes…When  he asked her to move in with him…

“I want to live with you.” She gazed up at him. “I want you to have all of me.”

But another voice fought against it: he didn’t deserve her!

He did nothing but drag her down!

“You’ve saved me so many times, Ani... How am I ever going to repay you?”

“Love me,” she whispered back, eyes still closed. She found his hand with hers and intertwined their fingers. “Love me.”

A promise he couldn’t keep, that he was ridiculous to make! Just another failure to add to the list!

His feet were moving on their own and the wind picked up as he ambled away from the buildings toward the bridge.

The powerful current surging underneath looked so soothing.

It doesn’t matter if you’re the number one pro hero or the newest pro. What matters is saving who you can and helping the person in front of you. What truly matters...is what you do as a hero.

What joke he was to think he could save anyone!

He could hear the water rushing now. He wasn’t quite sure where Bakugo was…just another failed attempt at saving a life and being a hero.

I can endure this. For him. I can endure this and I’ll be waiting for him. No matter how long it takes. Even if it takes…forever.

He wasn’t worth it. He wasn’t worth everything he’d put Ani through.

You waited for me

She had looked at him like the torture was nothing.

They tried to convince me you didn’t love me…

He was the one who needed to be convinced. There was no reason for her to love him.

 …that you couldn’t love me because we hadn’t been together very long and I felt crazy for still being madly in love with you…

She was crazy.

 …and believing you loved me the same way.

His love had never been anything more than a curse on her and her life. And when he asked her how she felt…

Very much in love with you. And want to be with you as long as you want me around.

 It was the nail in her coffin.

 

 

And, Sho...

 

 

 

...I’m going to love you forever

 

 

 

Her words fought in his mind to stop his feet from moving but they were lost in the chaos of his self-doubt and self-loathing.

He couldn’t find his heart anymore.

He wasn’t sure he ever had one.

The metal railing on the bridge was so cold. It was so windy. He stared down into the white-capping water.

It was all his fault.

Everything falling apart around him…

There was no thought that could save him from his past.

His father was dead because he wasn’t strong enough.

His mother was committed because of him.

His siblings never had a real family.

His life was a statement of coldness and distance.

And the one light…the one ray of shining hope that gave him a false hope that he could be a real part of this world was doomed because he dared to love her.

He couldn’t hear anything as the wind whipped across the river swirling in a furious cyclone that kept every hero back from the bridge.

Ani’s voice tried one more time to reach him.

Shouto!

 

SHOUTO!

 

SHOUTO!

 

Though there wasn’t a reason to live anymore he looked up to the sky one last time hearing the roaring call of death.

A shadow flooded the sky, creating a static blur of black and purple…

No…not death…

…was that…Dark Shadow?

Shouto’s brow furrowed in confusion; Tokoyami’s agency wasn’t anywhere close to here. What was he doing here?!

Dark Shadow gave another monstrous roar and underneath he could hear a sound slicing through the carnage.

A sound of hope.

Of home.

Chapter 108: Therapy Part 3

Summary:

*Trigger Warning* : Suicide

Chapter Text

As soon as Dark Shadow dipped below the clouds Ani could see the city was balanced on a knife’s edge. There were people everywhere scattered in the streets, on rooftops, fleeing the chaos as emergency services and heroes tried to save the injured and keep people from… 

Ani felt nauseous. 

Jireta was forcing people to suicide.  

Ani’s eyes raked the cityscape frantically and she saw what she needed to see: ice.  

“There!” She shouted and Dark Shadow shifted course, swelling in size as he saw the innocent citizens washed in pain and destruction.  

They raced toward the far river and the bridge where Gale Force hovered from above keeping heroes at bay.  

A flicker of red and white caught her eye and her body felt hollow as she realized Shouto was stepping up to the edge of the bridge.  

“No…” she said, willing Dark Shadow to go faster. “No, No!”  

She was leaning, trying to keep her eyes on him. “Shouto!”  

He wasn’t moving away.  

He was just focused on the water below. 

“SHOUTO!” She screamed. And again “SHOUTO! SHOUTO!” Until her voice was hoarse and she was sure he had heard her.  

He looked up and even from way up above Ani could see the trance he had been trapped in was fractured.  

“Shida-san,” Tokoyami said in a tight voice and she knew right away that Jireta was getting to him.  

“There!” She pointed again, this time at the seemingly unimportant figure standing on top of a bridge pillar. “We need to stop her!” 

Dark Shadow was raging out of control and Ani urged them on.  

“Hold on,” Tokoyami grunted, losing his last grip of control. “This is going to be a rough landing.”  

Ani watched helplessly as they careened toward Jireta. Gale Force’s winds were battling Dark Shadow and Ani didn’t hesitate.  

She leapt from Tokoyami’s back and fell onto the tower from where Jireta was fighting.  

“Give it up, Jireta!” Ani screamed over the wind.  

The woman turned her cruel gaze upon Ani. “Never.”  

A strange sound was carried on the wind and Ani saw the streets crowding with people. She had to end this. Now.  

She used all of her strength to stay on top of the tower against Gale Force’s winds.  

“Why are you doing this?!” Ani yelled.  

Jireta scowled at her. “I wouldn’t expect someone like you to understand! Someone who’s basked in the spotlight for so long!” She shouted.  

“Spotlight?” Ani gripped the cable barrier with white knuckles. “What are you talking about?!”  

Jireta gave a mocking laugh. “Don’t play dumb! What spotlight.” She snapped with nothing but hatred for Ani. “All the love and attention you’ve had. People fawning over you because you’re the girlfriend of some hero. Because you’ve got some flashy quirk. Well get over it! You don’t deserve all the attention!”  

Ani scoffed. “Attention?! You want the attention? You want people to notice you and rip apart your life how they want? It’s all yours!” She yelled. “I never wanted it!”  

“That’s easy for you to say when you have it!”  

Ani saw a crack of pain in Jireta’s expression. “The only thing I’ve ever wanted was to help people. I didn’t even want people to know my name, let alone what I could do.”  

“Well aren’t you lucky, to have such a noble purpose!” snarled Jireta. “The rest of the world isn’t so fortunate to be so useful! And we’re tired of being unloved because of it!”  

“I’m useful because I made the choice to be!” Ani shouted back, starting to inch closer toward Jireta. “Because I wanted to be!”  

“Yeah?!” Jireta screamed. “All I ever wanted was to be LOVED. To be SEEN! But that was asking too much of the world! Well the world will have no choice for that now!”  

Ani looked down at the packed street below them chanting for Jireta in a blind devotion. She had turned the tide of their feelings and Ani could feel her quirk pressing onto her own mind, trying to find a way in and force Ani to submit. The loneliness that Jireta had carried for her whole life, the emptiness and longing to be loved and accepted was pressing down on everyone, demanding their lives be dedicated to her now to make up for it.  

Ani could feel it but her regeneration held fast against it and anger pounded in her heart that this woman be so selfish to harm so many others in her selfish need. She kept her eyes glued to Jireta’s unhinged expression as she closed the distance and used her training from Shouto’s agency.  

With a swift swing of her legs she kicked Jireta’s feet out from under her and throat-slammed her down onto the tower.  

“Let them go. Now!” Ani roared. Fear flashed through Jireta’s eyes quickly replaced by a dangerous desperation to hold onto power.  

Jireta bucked her hips and shifted Ani forward until they were rolling...fighting...both tumbling over the edge of the tower. 

Someone screamed. 

Maybe it was Ani? She wasn’t sure.  

All she saw was the deranged look of victory on Jireta’s face as the separated, falling through the air.  

More people were screaming now as Jireta lost control of her quirk and used the last bit of power she had over Gale Force to blow Ani away, sending her body off like a dead leaf on the gust of wind.  

Ani’s arms flailed uselessly, hair whipping wildly as she was tossed out over the river. The dark water rushed up to meet her.  

 

 

 

Her body hit the surface like concrete, knocking the wind out of her and shattering several bones. Fear filled her first when she worried the fatigue of regeneration would make her pass-out and drown, and then again when she realized her regeneration wasn’t kicking in.  

Water filled her lungs as her limbs refused to cooperate against the frigid waves.  

Weight dragged her down.  

Her body was taxed to it’s limit.  

 

 

 

A silhouette appeared in the water that Ani recognized to be Froppy as her body was cradled and hauled up out of the water.  

 

 

Froppy set her down gently on the nearest dock and Ani rolled over, coughing and spluttering water and vomiting until her body was completely empty. Rough sounds of chaos enveloped the city and Ani looked to Froppy.  

“Is it over?” She asked, hating herself for how she hoped Jireta had died on impact with the ground.  

Froppy shook her head. “Kero—we lost track of her. The heroes are trying to find her now but it’s hard with the crowds.”  

Ani’s face crumpled in pain and the unbearable feeling of failure. She sobbed and covered her eyes.  

“Shida-san, can you walk?” Froppy asked.  

“It’s alright. I’ve got her,” a gruff voice said. Bakugo took Froppy’s place over Ani.  

“B-Bakugo,” she said after Froppy hopped off to join the rescue efforts. “You’re okay…”  

He huffed. “I thought you were finally going to call me Katsuki.” He lifted her up off the ground with surprising care, especially when she winced.  

She weakly smiled as her regeneration finally began to kick in. “I’m glad you’re alright.”  

He carried her down the dock. “Yeah. Well. Same…” He met her eye, not hiding his relief. “I’m glad you’re okay, too.”  

Tears blurred her vision as she stared up at the sky. “I’m sorry she got away.”  

He smirked. “She won’t get far.”  

“Where are you taking me?” she asked, swaying with each of his steps.  

He held her against him. “I don’t suppose you’ll let me take you home?”  

Ani’s chin quivered. After everything she’d done…she wasn’t sure she had a home anywhere anymore.  

“I’ll take that as a no,” Bakugo answered to himself. “I’m taking you to get help.”  

There was so much activity in the street Ani thought she was going to have a hard time finding Shouto but she wouldn't have a chance.  

Tokoyami was waiting with several police officers.  

“What the hell do you want, bird-brain?” Bakugo asked.  

Ani put a hand on his chest and he looked down at her with an angry concern. She put her feet down and winced. “It’s okay. I have to go.”  

“Go? Where?” Bakugo demanded, taking a step to follow her as three officers stepped up to her side, one cuffing her hands behind her back. “What the hell? What the fuck do you think you’re doing?!”  

“Shida Ani. You’re under arrest on the charges of arson and murder.” The officers began escorting her back, reciting her rights as Bakugo chased after them.  

Dark Shadow blocked his path.  

“What are you, crazy?!” yelled Bakugo like a rabid dog. “You have the wrong person! She hasn’t done anything wrong!”  

“It’s okay,” Ani weakly reassured him as the officers guided her into the backseat of the police car.  

“Hey! Ani! ANI!” He roared, popping an explosion off that made Dark Shadow shrink away. 

 He ran to the car as the officers closed the door and blocked his path.  

He couldn’t see anything except Ani’s face from behind the glass saying something he couldn’t hear. The officers held him back as the patrol car drove away; the last thing he saw was her head resting on the window as she fell asleep. 

“ANI!” He was about to set the whole city on fire when Tokoyami and Kirshima appeared at his side, each taking one of his arms to restrain him.  

“What the FUCK?!” He yelled as the other officers returned to their vehicle and drove after the first car.  

“What’s going on?”  

Bakugo spun in rage to Shouto as he came running up.  

“Where’s Ani?” he asked, looking around the small group. 

Chapter 109: Rehabilitated

Notes:

*Trigger Warning* : Light PTSD

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Explain yourself bird-brain!” Bakugo asked, ignoring Shouto’s question.  

Tokoyami remained in place when the explosive hero got in his face. “Shida admitted to murdering three people and setting a building on fire near my agency.”  

“WHAT?!” Bakugo roared, Shouto shouted, and Kirishima said with his mouth dropping open.  

Dark Shadow stretched out longingly in the direction the police had gone.  

“She said the three people were from the League of Villains and the government officials are investigating that back in my city. But whether they were or not, she admitted to the crime. She asked to come back only to make sure the fight was over here and I offered to escort her. I assured the police I wouldn’t let her escape and she promised not to struggle,” explained Tokoyami.  

“It was beautiful!” cried Dark Shadow. “The power! The victory! You should have seen the glorious carnage without a single innocent life lost!”  

Bakugo’s fists were exploding and he turned away from the jet-black hero.  

Kirishima whistled. “Badass, Shida...who knew...”  

“Where are they taking her?” Shouto asked, incredulous that she was just taken from him after all of this.  

“I’m not allowed to tell you that,” admitted Tokoyami.  

Shouto snarled and turned away. He would call Utsubei as soon as the aftermath of Jireta’s attack was handled and she was in custody.  

Bakugo watched the half-and-half return to help the crowds.  

Kirishima asked him “you gonna be okay man?”  

“Yeh, I’ll be fine.” Bakugo brushed him off and Kirishima left with Tokoyami. The letter in Bakugo’s belt felt heavier and heavier. He knew he couldn’t wait any longer.  

Taking this private moment before returning to the recovery efforts he sat on the edge of the sidewalk, feet dangling over the edge of the stone wall as the river rushed by.  

His whole body was tight as he pulled out the paper.  

When he left Ani in the alleyway it was only to go get clothes for the half-and-half bastard on the gut instinct he would need them. He went back to Kaminari’s agency where he brought Hansha to wait safely when Ani and Endeavor had been attacked. One of Kaminari’s staff was keeping the letter for him, apologizing that it was the only thing Hansha had left behind.  

 

On the outside it said: For Bakugo  

 

A gentle breeze rippled the page as he unfolded it and he steeled himself... 

 

To the absolute love of my very short life,   

Please know that you’ve done nothing wrong. I haven’t left because I resent you or Ani. Even as I watched you flying away to rescue her I’m not upset. Not with you. Not with her. I know you why you went to save her...It wasn’t because you don’t love me but because of how much you love her and how can I hate you for the purity of your love?   

So I’m setting you free.   

I will always love you and want what’s best for you . My time on this earth was borrowed and this body won’t last much longer...I’m leaving. I want you to fight for what and who you love and not be torn trying to stay by my side as the light of my life fades. You’re filled with so much goodness and love. And not just for Ani but for the whole world. Please don’t be afraid to let it show.   

Thank you for the best life I could have ever imagined.   

You’ll always be my favorite hero.   

 

I love you, Kitten.   

- Hansha    

 

 

 

Bakugo incinerated the note and covered his face as his heart broke and the ashes drifted away on the wind.  

 

 

 

 

Hansha could feel it, the moment his heart broke.  

She was on the train and felt it as if it were a part of her own body. She clutched her chest and sobbed, wishing she could live a normal life. That she could stay by his side forever and give him the love he deserved.  

The train stopped at the next station and she covered her face, crying as people streamed in.  

She didn’t look at anyone, couldn’t bring herself to see, or be seen, as the train pulled away from Musutafu. Ani had been lucky enough to go to the beach in her lifetime and Hansha had those memories but she was taking this one-way trip to feel the sand between her own toes once before she died.  

The car emptied increasingly quickly with each stop leaving only a few random people scattered throughout. It was clear most people had just wanted to get out of downtown Musutafu and not go much farther; Hansha assumed it was to escape the escalating battle and danger in the city. She tried not to be filled with guilt that she didn’t stay and spend her final hours saving others.  

There was nothing she could do for anyone any way.  

A figure up ahead caught her attention: a mousy woman standing up by the doors and staring out at the passing scenery.  

Hansha wiped her face clear, heart filling with determination.  

 

 

 

 

 

Jireta was sweating, still out-of-breath from her close brush with death. She wasn’t exactly sure which person she had been controlling to help her land safely on the bridge but she survived the fall. When the people all ran like a herd of sheep fearing for their lives she disappeared into the crowd and broke off with a group heading for the train.  

Here she was, riding off into the sunset—well, soon to be sunrise—to get stronger. She would improve her quirk. Get a group of followers and become the most powerful supervillain this world had ever known. She would come back and take revenge on that contemptible nurse. She stared at the glass looking at her frazzled, angry expression. 

Ugh! Just the thought of her made Jireta’s blood boil. Her knuckles turned white with the strength of her fisted grip on the train poles. It was like she could see the fucking woman right in front of her.  

Or...a reflection of her?  

Jireta whipped around, met with a hauntingly haggard shadow of the nurse. “No. This isn’t possible!”  

“You fucking ruined our lives!”  

 

 

 

Hansha may not have had hand-to-hand combat training but she still had all of Ani’s medical knowledge and was pissed off enough to use it. She punched Jireta’s throat, crushing her windpipe and the weak woman fell to the ground.  

Hansha had been wrong. There was something she could do. One last parting gift to the world. To her family. To her love...to make sure they would all be safe forever.  

The gasping woman reached into her pocket and withdrew a switchblade, swinging it haphazardly at Hansha who easily wrenched it out of her hand. She took a fistful of Jireta’s hair and yanked her back up to her feet, wrapping her hand around Jireta’s throat and pinning her against the train door as her eyes rolled back into her head.  

 “Go to hell,” Hansha whispered as she stuck the switchblade into Jireta’s gut and savored the warm liquid that flowed over her hand. She squeezed the last breaths of life out of Jireta’s spasming body. When she let go Jireta’s limp corpse fell like an empty sack to the ground. Hansha heaved her body into the closest seat and walked away.  

She sat down in a far train car and rode through the next several stops, praying she would make it to the last stop before someone discovered Jireta’s dead body on the empty train. 

 

 

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

 

 

“There’s nothing you can do right now, Shouto. Go home,” Utsubei urged him.  

It was well into the next day and the recovery efforts were over. Endeavor’s body had been recovered by the coroner. Ani was being held in the main Musutafu jail. Maybe there really wasn’t anything else he could do. 

Shouto rested his fists on his brother-in-law’s desk. “I can’t just leave her here.”  

Utsubei sighed. “She’s not even awake. And if she was, we couldn’t let you see her.”  

Shouto’s face was a mask over all the turbulence in his soul.  

“Go home, Shouto.”  

Utsubei didn’t understand…his home was locked in a cell right now. But he took Utsubei’s hint and at least left the precinct.  

The press was waiting outside practically salivating for a comment from the number one hero and pounced with an insufferable number of questions about his disappearance, his affair, the recent attack, and the rumors of his murderous girlfriend.  

They rolled off of him with practiced indifference and he ignored them all the way back to his agency where his security guard fended them off.  

Dojire was waiting loyally by the elevator when he stepped out onto the top floor.  

“Sir, welcome back,” he said. Instead of crossing the lounge area with an austere confidence Shouto sat down on the black leather couch. Dojire didn’t know what to do with himself. He remained standing by the coffee table.  

“What happened while I was gone,” Shouto asked, exhausted.  

Dojire cleared his throat. “We weren’t able to figure out if anyone had taken pictures of Yaoyorozu’s…” He couldn’t decide what to call it. “But there was no mention of it in the media.”  

Shouto gave a humorless chuckle. “Not of that…” His impassive expression lifted to the assistant. “I know about the picture.”  

“Yes,” Dojire said with an awkward attempt to remain professional. “We’ve been…dealing with that image…as best as we could in your absence.”  

“How?” Shouto asked. The question had been genuine but as Dojire’s eyes shifted away Shouto’s narrowed. “How has the agency handled it?”  

“We declined to issue a statement as well as cut all external contact. We distanced ourselves from the Shida family and—”  

“What?” Shouto stared at him.  

Dojire swallowed thickly and steadied himself. “We were…unsure…about the context of that picture…so we remained respectful toward Miss Shida but declined to include her in any efforts to protect your image. We also asked that Miss Gita distance herself from Dr. Shida until we could resolve any public relation issues—”  

“So.” Shouto’s eyes were hard. “You not only cut Ani out but forced Aves to break up with her boyfriend?”  

“Y-yes,” Dojire admitted.  

Shouto leaned forward, covering his forehead. He knew his staff had only done what they thought best for his interests. “I understand that none of you would have suspected foul play…but let me be completely clear about one thing.” He looked up at his assistant. “Whether Ani works here or not, she is never. Ever. To be cut out of this agency. She is a permanent part of this, if she’s on the payroll or not.”  

He paused and could see the severity of his tone sinking into his assistant.  

“Do you understand?” Shouto asked, trying to be patient.  

“I’m so sorry sir.” Dojire looked at his boss for a moment before bowing at the waist. “Miss Shida tried to convince us but we—” 

“It’s fine,” Shouto cut him off, not interested in the explanation. “I respect that you were acting in my best interest so all is forgiven. But so was Ani. I trust her implicitly. I expect it’s a lesson that everyone here only needs to learn once.”  

When Dojire stood up Shouto could see the question burning in his eyes though the assistant wouldn’t ask.  

“It was staged,” said Shouto. “The whole thing—the kidnapping, the picture, the text messages. It was all the Absolved’s sabotage.”  

Dojire nodded.  

“I will never do anything to jeopardize my relationship with Ani.” Shouto slowly rose from the couch. “I love her more than I have ever loved anyone else and nothing will ever change that.”  

“I understand,” said Dojire solemnly.  

Shouto left his assistant standing there and went into his office, needing to be alone.  

The quiet of his office was soft but uncomforting. He knew Ani wouldn’t be waiting for him in an obscure corner of it somewhere and it made the space seem vast and lonely. Before going to shower he called over the intercom.  

“Dojire?” He waited for the response that his assistant was listening. “Send out the reserves of Ani’s blood to the injured and hand-deliver two vials yourself to Detective Utsubei for Ani.”  

“Right-away, sir.”  

Shouto heard the elevator ding through the closed doors of his office and dragged himself to the bathroom. He caught sight of himself in the mirror and braced himself on the sink.  

In the enveloping silence he heard the echoes of that woman’s perverted cries of pleasure as she used his body and felt nauseous at the memory of her slick arousal forced on his skin. He collapsed to the toilet and violently vomited into the bowl. He was trembling, remembering the helplessness he had been locked into from the neurotoxin. Ani’s regeneration had been enough to keep him alive but that was it.  

He was forced to endure sexual assault as that fucked-in-the-head pervert tried to rape him over and over. He vomited again. The only consolation was that his body was unresponsive because of the neurotoxin and she never succeeded in penetrating herself with him. Or forcing him to climax.  

He flushed and sat back, resting his head against the wall...Bakugo said Ani was the one who found him. Which means she saw the place and the state they had kept him in.  

Would she even still want him? Especially after she found out about all of it?  

He wished he could blame his spiraling self-confidence on that woman’s horrible quirk but even that thought made his heart heavy. There had been no trace of Jireta after she and Ani had fallen off the bridge. Police were still searching for the missing members of the Absolved. And the League...although rumors were flying that they were dead.  

Because of Ani.  

He forced himself to his feet and into the shower. He wasn’t sure how long he stayed in the scorching water but it was a long time. Droplets ran down the mirror in a heavy layer of steam as he tried to pull himself together.  

 

 

He went down to the gym after he was dressed and started a brutal workout. But it wasn’t enough. No matter how much weight he lifted, how fast he ran, he couldn’t escape the feeling of helplessness clawing at him.  

Deep into the workout routine he found himself on the roof of the agency blasting radials of fire and ice against the setting sun. Mid-blast his phone rang.

 

It was Utsubei.

Notes:

Hi All,
I have to make a couple decisions in the next few chapters and I was hoping I could get some feedback from you. What did you think of the second major arc? What's your response to it, did you like it, were there things you were like 'meh' about, or is there something you wish there was more of? Are you interested enough to keep reading?

I have no idea if there's a way for you to message me privately on AO3 so I'm just assuming any feedback has to be left as a comment? Idk. If you want to give me feedback but you don't want it to become public just tell me in your comment and I won't approve it to be posted

 

As always THANK YOU SO FUCKING MUCH for reading ❄️💗🔥

I will keep writing as long as people are still into it so please let me know :)

Chapter 110: Healing

Chapter Text

 

Ani felt like fucking shiiiiiit. 

She didn’t need to open her eyes to figure out where she was; she remembered everything. The whole arrest and intake process. She had done her best to stay awake and compliant. With some kind of luck she was brought to Utsubei’s precinct and he made sure she was confined to her own cell where she could finally succumb to the draw of sleep and regeneration. How long it had been, she did not know.  

When she opened her eyes Utsubei was letting himself into the cell. “How are you feeling?” He asked. 

Ani sat up, rubbing her head. “I’m fine, thanks.”  

“The superintendent has been waiting to question you out of respect until you’re healed...are you ready to speak with him now?”  

Ani gulped and nodded.  

“I’m sorry, I have to do this,” Utusbei said as he produced handcuffs. Ani’s eyes fell in embarrassment but she offered her wrists without a protest. 

“Detective,” Ani said trying not to abuse their relationship. “Is Shouto alright?” Utusubei’s hand was stiff when he gripped her elbow, leading her up from the bed. She looked at his face then, knowing he heard her question.  

Utsutbei stared straight ahead, nostrils flaring and Ani began to panic. She hadn’t seen him walk away from the edge of the bridge after she got through to him and the possibility that Jireta had regained control of his mind haunted her. 

“Is he alright?” She asked again. “Did he...did he survive the fight?!”  

“I’m sorry. We’re not allowed to divulge information to criminals in holding.”  

Ani was failing at staying calm. “You can’t tell me that? Just a yes or a no if he’s even alive?!”  

“I can’t.” Utsubei brought her into a small room with a table and two chairs. She let him lock her handcuffs into the table and left. She rested her head on the table and cried quietly. 

It was worth it, she reminded herself.  

It was all worth it if he survived. 

Ani sat up, doing her best to wipe her face when the door opened. An intimidating man entered dressed in a formal uniform. “Good Evening Miss Shida. I’m Superintendent Yekuro of the Musutafu police department.”  

Evening? Shit.  

“Hello,” she said politely with a small bow of her head. He took the seat across from her, setting an unopened file in front of himself.  

“Miss Shida, we’re here to talk about the events of the past few days.” His piercing gaze bored into her and she tried not to wilt.  

She nodded and meekly asked “before we get started...can you please tell me something?” She timidly met his eye. “Is Todoroki Shouto alive?”  

Yekuro’s flat expression revealed nothing. “You’ve got quite a list of crimes here, Miss Shida. I think you should be more concerned with yourself right now.”  

Ani gulped as he opened the folder.  

“As if destruction of personal property, arson, and breaking-and-entering weren’t serious enough, you’ve committed nine murders in the past—”  

“Wait, what?!” Ani cut him off, mouth dropped open. “ Nine?! I-I didn’t do that!”  

Yekuro’s face was completely no-nonsense. “Your fingerprints were found on a switchblade that contained the blood of five murdered people. You were caught on film beating a woman to death. And you admitted to the murder of three people whose bodies were identified as members from the League of Villains.” He stared at her deadpan. “Did I miss anyone?”  

A ringing began in her ears... 

Nine... 

Nine people...?  

. . . 

How was that possible? 

Ani’s eyes were wide, unfocused as her mind raced.  

“You look surprised,” noted Yekuro.  

Sweat dewed across Ani’s body. “I...” She panted. “I didn’t kill all those...those people...”  

“So you’re retracting your admission of guilt?”  

“No!” Ani said, refocusing on the man in front of her. “I-I admit I killed Shigaraki, Twice, and Kurogiri but...I didn’t kill all the rest of those people!”  

“Then what were you trying to do when you attacked a one Pitoru Kidashu?” He asked plainly.  

“Who?”  

Yekuro looked a page in the folder. “Alias ‘Odysseus’. She was the digital operations member of the Absolved.”  

Ani stared at Yekuro. “I...I killed Odysseus?” Her arms felt weak. “I...I wasn’t trying to.”  

Yekuro pressed a button and a video of Ani straddling Odysseus punching and punching the defenseless person played on the wall. “Then what, exactly were you trying to do?”  

Ani gaped at the video, horrified with herself.  

“Well, Miss Shida?” Yekuro asked, breaking her trance.  

Acid rose in her throat. “I...I want to speak to a lawyer.”  

 

 

 

They left her alone, handcuffed to the table, for a while. It was long enough that her limbs began to ache. And the next time the door opened Ani saw a face she didn’t expect. 

“Kichi?” She asked in shock as the Todoroki Agency lawyer let himself into the room. He was the last attorney she expected to show up, thinking that an overworked-underpaid civil defense lawyer would be assigned to her. “What are you doing here?”  

Before answering her question he leaned out into the hall. “Excuse me, officer, uncuff my client.” Ani heard a voice in the hall mutter something about safety and protocols. “I am here to represent her and need to speak with her in a private room. Not a place where police can eavesdrop like a totalitarian state.”  

Ani felt a twinge of fear at Kichi’s tone and was glad she wasn’t on the receiving end of it. An officer came in and released her cuffs from the table but left them on her wrists. “I can take them off when you’re in the private conference room.”  

“Thank you,” Kichi said flatly and gestured for Ani to go before him. They followed the officer down the depressingly gray hallway...despite being so anxious about these new charges Ani found Kichi’s presence to be relaxing. His overpowering confidence reminded her of Shouto.  

She wondered if Kichi would tell her anything.  

They talked for a long time about everything the superintendent had mentioned. Ani was caught on video physically assaulting someone who died because of those injuries. Four more bodied were discovered in the basement of Ryoshi’s home: Ryoshi herself, Hogo Sareta, and two other women but Ani swore they were not there when she was. When Kichi asked if there was anyone else there who could attest to that. Ani admitted to finding Shouto though he was unconscious and Bakugo had come, too; Kichi assured her that he would collect witness statements to serve as her alibi. 

And it was at that point, she couldn’t wait any longer. She asked about Shouto.  

“Is he alive?” She whispered pleadingly.  

Kichi measured her expression before answering “yes.”  

Relief flooded through Ani and tears overflowed. She and Kichi continued to discuss all the other charges and Ani’s alibi for each. She was shocked to hear about Jireta’s murder and wondered where Hansha was now...if she was alright.  

“Miss Shida, I have to be blunt.” Kichi folded his hands on the table. “This case is going to move quickly. The government is anxious to prove they still have control of their citizens and a handle on justice. Your trial is going to be a high-profile example of this and it’s going to receive national attention. I need you to be prepared for that.”  

Ani shivered.  

Great.  

More public attention. 

Oh, yeah. And probably the rest of her life in prison.  

She leaned forward to rest her forehead on the table and tried not to hyperventilate.  

Kichi put her file away in his briefcase and set something between them. “Miss Shida.”  

“Yes?” She sat up, wiping her face and saw the small gift box. “What’s this?”  

“It’s a gift. Mr. Todoroki insisted I bring this in to brighten your spirits.”  

Ani smiled feeling a glimmer of love from the outside world. Inside the box was a small cupcake exquisitely decorated with cut strawberries. Ani laughed once, feeling moisture threatening to overflow her eyes again.  

“Unfortunately, you will need to eat it before I leave. It’s generally frowned upon to bring things in to detainees.”  

Ani nodded and closed her eyes, eating the cupcake in a few bites and savoring the sweet strawberry taste. Kichi hid the empty box back in his bag. “Um, Kichi?” She asked hesitantly and he looked up. “Do you have any paper and a pen? I’d like to write a note for Shouto...if that’s possible.”  

“Of course,” Kichi said with a nod and offered the items to her.  

 

 

 

 

Ani had trouble sleeping in her cell that night. After sleeping for such a long time she didn’t feel tired and laid on the stiff bed wishing she had something to do. Someone to talk to. At some point she fell asleep and this time it was wrought with troubled dreams.  

Kichi was back the next morning guiding the next round of questioning with the Superintendent and did his best to protect her rights. She did her best to be amenable with everyone involved; she knew the precarious situation she was in and how lucky she was to have someone like Kichi on her side. As he predicted, the trail was going to happen quickly, already scheduled to begin the next day. Despite his fiercest objections it was decided that Ani was not going to be allowed in the courtroom until it was her turn to testify due to the severity of her crimes. 

It made the impending punishment that much harder.  

She wasn’t even sure she was going to be able to see Shouto or anyone else during the trial. The police had been keeping her incredibly isolated and she was starting to get desperate for any news of the outside world.  

Was everyone okay?  

Had students returned to campus yet?  

Did UA find another nurse already to take her place?  

She was left with nothing but her own questions and the infrequent delivery of meals. There wasn’t even a window in her cell. She could only tell the time of day based on what officers passed by the glass wall.         

Sleep came in jagged intervals with the impending trial.  

She wasn’t ready.  

 

 

Kichi was there early three days later when she was cuffed and escorted out the back of the station into a blacked-out vehicle.  

“Is this really necessary, Superintendent?” Kichi asked admonishingly.  

There was no answer Ani could hear as they guided her to the back seat and sealed her off from the world.  

Kichi spoke over an intercom, informing her he was in the front seat. And it was a comfort knowing she wasn’t alone. She was trembling when the engine cut. Kichi opened the door and led her inside the back of what she assumed was the courthouse.  

But not before she heard it: the roar of a crowd.  

Kichi went into the courtroom and she waited for a very brief amount of time before being brought before a judge.  

“Miss Shida,” they said with borderline passive interest. She gulped, terrified that her future was so certain this judge looked indifferent at best. Like this was all a formality. “You’ve been brought before the court on several charges.” They scanned a piece of paper in front of them.  

“For the murder of Shigaraki Tomura, how do you plead?”  

“Guilty,” she said.  

He continued down the list and she admitted to guilt and innocence clearly to each except the death of Odysseus. She voiced her acceptance of the consequences but insisted she never intended to take their life.  

“Well,” the judge said pulling the glasses off his face. “Miss Shida this case is clear-cut enough that it does not need to go before a jury.”  

She gulped, trying to stay strong under his intense gaze.  

“I’m sentencing you to 500 hours of community service providing medical care to the general public of Musutafu.”  

Ani waited, holding her breath.  

The judge’s attention fell to his desk as he gathered the papers before him.  

Wait.  

What...?  

“...Y-your honor?” Ani asked. “...Is that it? Isn’t there more?”  

His eyebrows rose as he looked at her. “Would you like there to be?”  

Ani’s eyes shifted around in confusion. “But...But I murdered four people.” She opened the palms of her cuffed hands. “I burned a building down!”  

The judge seemed to be restraining a smirk. “Miss Shida, do you understand the fundamental purpose of prison?” He didn’t wait for an answer. “It’s a way for those who have wronged society to rehabilitate themselves so they can return to the public or remain for the rest of their lives if they habitually endanger other people.”  

She listened incredulously. 

His steady gaze scrutinized her. “I don’t need the extensive witness accounts I’ve heard to understand that you are neither of those things. As a civilian, I even appreciate what you did...clearing out some of the most vile villains that have plagued our country for years. But, as a judge I do have to acknowledge and punish your wrongdoing as it fits .” He gave her the hint of a smile. “It benefits no one to have you pay your penance to society in prison. This way you will make reparations by directly helping people.”  

Ani was speechless.  

An officer came over to her and released her wrists. The judge stepped down from his bench adding “check-in every two weeks with a probation officer until you’ve completed your time.”  

“Thank you, your honor.” Ani bowed and the judge smiled again.  

“Serve the people well.” He quietly added “and make sure the next generation of heroes are even stronger than the ones waiting outside for you.”  

Ani’s eyes flashed up wide to him with so many emotions swelling within her heart.  

Kichi gestured for her to leave the nearly empty courtroom as a few other staff members and opposing attorneys gathered their belongings. Ani realized they didn’t even make any arguments.  

“Thank you, Kichi.” She bowed to him, truly grateful for all the work he must have done to make this as painless as possible. 

“I didn’t do very much, Miss Shida.” He smirked. “Most of this was a formality, as I’m sure you’ve surmised.”  

“Still.” She stood and smiled. “I’m grateful not to have been alone through this.”  

As they walked to the door he said “though you may have only seen myself right at your side, I can assure you: you were never alone.” He pushed the door open and a wave of roaring crashed over her as cameras flashed violently and a swarm of reporters hurled questions at her.  

Two pairs of arms formed a barrier around her and she looked up, nearly brought to tears in the protective bubble Shouto and Bakugo made for her.  

“Hi,” Shouto said, his voice layered and thick with a thousand emotions.  

She smiled at him and couldn’t help but smile at Bakugo, too. To both of them she said “thank you.”  

Bakugo smirked. “Took ya long enough, goldilocks.”  

With Kichi following behind they moved through the aggressive, shifting crowd of reporters who were surrounded by a swarm of fans. 

Her fans.  

Ani was speechless as her eyes scanned the posters proclaiming the freedom from the villains, names of victims saved when Jireta was stopped, and some just said ‘Shida is our hero’.  

“What is happening?” she whispered as their huddled group approached the SUV waiting for them. Dojire opened the door and she slid into the backseat sandwiched between Shouto and Bakugo; the crowd’s roars were muted the moment the doors closed.  

From behind tinted windows Ani watched Kichi turn and begin to answer questions from reporters. Dojire took the driver’s seat and they started to pull away.  

“Wait!” Ani said, reaching over Bakugo to the door closest to Kichi. Dojire hesitated. “Is he going to be okay?!” She was worried the crowd was going to swallow the lawyer alive.  

“He’ll be fine,” Shouto assured her and motioned for Dojire to leave.  

There was more than enough to look at outside the SUV with all of the signs and fans but they held no interest for Ani. Shouto’s voice enthralled her.  

The two colors of his eyes were burning as she turned her face up to him.  

He was alive.  

He was safe.  

And he was here.  

“You’re okay,” she said with a growing smile. “And you’re here.” 

He let out a half-laugh. “Nowhere I’d rather be.” Ani sighed and leaned against him. He wrapped an arm around her and Bakugo made a sound of disgust.  

“If you two start making out, I’m gonna jump out of the car,” he muttered.  

“Tempting offer,” Shouto noted and Ani poked his side, making him flinch. “Hey!”  

She narrowed her eyes. “Be nice,” she said and nuzzled against him. “Both of you.” After they finally made their way out of the crowd Dojire began winding through the regular traffic of the city.  

“Aren’t you guys curious what the verdict was?” Ani asked quietly.  

Bakugo snickered. “Aren’t we taking you to prison?” Ani flicked his arm. “Oi, you!”  

“No, you’re not,” she said sternly and then looked between them. “You already knew?!”  

Shouto nodded. “The judge’s opinion became clear during the questioning.”  

“The questioning?” Her eyes widened. “You were there?”  

“We both were,” Shouto quietly answered and Ani glanced at Bakugo who was sulkily staring out the window.  

“Wow...” She looked down at her lap. “Thank you...both of you.”  

“No...thank you Ani...” Shouto said and took her hands. “For everything.” The air inside the car thickened as she met his gaze.  

“Driver, pull over here.” Bakugo straightened up in his seat as Ani glanced at him.  

“Where are you going?” She didn’t recognize the random corner of the city. 

“I thought you were coming with us?” Shouto asked the explosive pro.  

He stepped out of the car and said over his shoulder “you two need to catch up first. I’ll meet up with you later...after you’ve had time to talk and...” His posture tightened and he closed the door abruptly, shoving his hands in his pockets as he walked away.  

Ani’s brow furrowed as Dojire began driving again. “What is he talking about?” She asked.  

Shouto brushed hair behind her ear and cupped her face. “I’ll explain everything later, okay?” He pressed his forehead to hers. “I just want to enjoy being with you for now.”  

“Ookay...” she said feeling a hint of nervousness.  

He pulled her against him and rested his head on top of hers. In a whisper he said “I promise it’s nothing bad.”  

Ani set it aside as best she could. “Where are we going now?”  

“That’s up to you,” he said thumb stroking a line across her thigh. “We can go back to our apartment or your place at UA.”  

“...I haven’t been fired?” Ani asked incredulously.  

She felt him smirk. “No, you haven’t but Nezu does want to be the one to explain it to you, when you’re available.”  

“I’m not up for it right now,” she admitted. “I just want to be with you.”  

“Of course,” he said. “...can we go back to our apartment?”  

She shifted to smile at him and give him a peck on his lips. “Of course.”  

 

 

 

 

 

It had been almost a week since Shouto was kidnapped and he was starving for love. And not just any love...but Ani’s. So much had happened since she rescued him, from arranging his father’s funeral to testifying at her trial and taking care of everything hero-related in the aftermath of the most recent attack.  

He craved her comfort.  

He needed her affection...her attention...to erase the feeling of someone else on his body.  

They rode the rest of the ride in silence until they made it to the apartment. Dojire quickly came around to open the door for Ani and as she stepped out he bowed.  

“Miss Shida-san,” he said. “I would like to formally apologize for the way I treated you during my boss’s absence.”  

A lump formed in Ani’s throat. “I understand you were just trying to protect him.”  

“Indeed, Miss.” He remained folded over. “And I’m sorry I did not have faith you were just trying to do the same.”  

“It’s okay,” she said awkwardly, wanting to get inside.  

Shouto took her hand. “Thank you, Dojire.”  

“Of course, sir.” The assistant remained bowed until the couple walked away.  

Ani felt like the eyes of the world were on her during their short walk from the car to the building but there was thankfully no one there. She finally began to relax once they were riding the elevator; she leaned against Shouto who was still holding her hand and took the chance to wrap his arms around her.  

“I’ve missed you so much,” Ani whispered and his grip tightened. “How are you...really?”  

“Tired.”  

She looked at him, knowing there was much more to it than that but didn’t ask anything else as the doors opened and he pulled her out.  

Ani stood in the cavernous apartment that she hadn’t been in since the morning after Shouto was kidnapped.  

“Ani,” he said with a thick voice. She turned to see his expression darken with a lustful need. “...would you forgive me...if I wanted to skip talking for once?”  

Her cheeks flamed. “...you...you want to....?”  

“Yes.” He took purposeful steps toward her and slowly brought her against his body. Her lips parted, breath already deepening as his hands pulsed with contrasting temperatures, and he leaned down. “I need you .”  

She nodded, closing the distance between them with a gentle kiss and his hands spread around her body. Cold tingled her scalp as his right hand snaked up into her hair and his left slipped under her shirt, warming her lower back.  

He kissed her deeply with an open mouth gradually easing his possessive muscle into her mouth and reclaimed every corner, willingly let her do the same as she kissed him back with a growing enthusiasm.  

She pulled his hips to her and slid her hands down over his meaty butt. Between them she could feel how much he appreciated the fondling.  

His mouth left hers to leave aggressive, almost angrily possessive marks on her neck. 

She suddenly realized she hadn’t showered for days... 

“Sho...” she asked sheepishly and felt his hot breath leave a trail of goosebumps on her skin.  

“Yes?”  

She pressed herself against him as he latched onto her weak spot. “I...I didn’t have a chance to shower when I was at the station...”  

Without another word he picked her up effortlessly and she wrapped her arms his shoulders. Her fingers played with the different textures of his hair she had missed so much. She was dizzy with need. He ferried her into the bathroom and refused to set her down as he reached in and turned on the shower. She lifted her shirt up over her head and he let her take off his, both garments falling to the floor.  

Shouto pressed her up against the wall leaving marks along her newly exposed skin and pressed his clothed dick against her crotch, grinding as he reached behind her to unclasp her bra. His fingers were fumbling with anticipation and after three tries to unclasp it he incinerated the back and ripped the front away.  

Ani gasped and bit her lip when he dove to her chest quickly falling into moans as he put as much of her breast in his mouth as he could. His tongue wriggled against the hardening nipple. She arched her back to press into the sensation as he dragged his warm, wet muscle over her sensitive nip and flicked it. Her eyes rolled back in her head as she moaned and she missed the way his eyes flashed open, drinking her reactions with a raging hunger.  

Losing any patience and restraint he had, he let go of her breast and ripped her pants in half, tearing them from her body before her feet hit the floor with a flex of his muscles that made Ani wet. 

Only her thin pair of underwear remained, easily shred from her form as he pinned her back against the wall. He reached under her and opened his pants just enough to pull his cock out and penetrated her in one swift, rough thrust.  

Ani let out a sharp moan as he began fucking her and she could feel him working through everything he had been through. She closed her eyes and brought their foreheads together. He let her, closing his eyes too. He held one leg and angled her ass to get deeper inside of her... 

With every powerful thrust she could sense his feelings...apologizing for everything that happened at the dinner...all of his regrets...the torture he had been put through...his inability to fight back against any of them...he pulled her hips closer, jabbing the deepest parts of her in a desperate attempt to reconcile with himself and with her.  

She felt the erratic slipping of his thrusts and hot pants of his breath on her skin as he neared his finish. On his final stroke he buried himself to the hilt, pinning her against the wall pelvis to pelvis, and caged her in with an arm on either side of her.  

His cock throbbed and spurted his cum with a force and heat that made her own walls spasm around him and she moaned his name in orgasm. The sound of the empty shower raining on the stone filled the silence between them.  

“It’s enough...” Ani cupped his face and brought their eyes together. “It’s enough that you survived. No matter what happened...how you're doing...or what you're feeling about what happened...it's enough that you survived.”  

His expression softened and he buried his face in her neck, wrapping her in a tight hug as she hugged him back.  

“Thank you,” he whispered.  

She squeezed him. “Anytime.”  

 

 

He set her down then, her feet touching the cold tile, so he could drop his pants and followed her into the shower. He wasn’t sure what the temperature of the water was...he was too preoccupied with the woman with who took his soap and lathered a generous amount in her hands. 

“I’m going to wash you now...” she said quietly, pausing to give him a chance to object.

He didn't.  

He nodded, shoulders sagging in relief. It was exactly the kind of care and attention he needed. She tenderly worked over his skin scrubbing every inch of him.  

“Ani...” His deep voice rumbled through the stone stall. “Is this really okay?”  

“What?” She asked, still focused on her task.  

The words clogged on their way out. He shook his head. “Nothing.”  

The water pressure disappeared as she stepped in front of the spray. “Sho...?”  

“You’re just...doing so much for me,” he said lost in thought.  

She lifted his chin until he looked at her. “Because I love you.” Ani could see the echoes of his past...both the distant abuse and the most recent trauma. “And I’m not going anywhere, okay?”  

He nodded. “Thank you.”  

“I already told you,” she said, quickly pecking his lips. “But I’ll say it as many times as I need to until you believe me: anytime.”  

She used her fingertip to smooth the crease between his brows.  

“I want to take care of you.” She lathered her hands up again and slowly sank to her knees. “To do what I can to help you...and make you feel... good again.”  

He felt his dick twitch as she methodically massaged the sore muscles of his legs and teasingly brushed his balls.  

“It’s okay for this to be all about you...” she said softly. 

He grew more and more aroused the longer she spent on her knees in front of him until her hands came up and wrapped around his erection. She washed him with languid strokes that drove him crazy and only stopped to rinse the soap off of him and her hands. She watched his reactions carefully to make sure she wasn’t forcing him but one look at his heavy-lidded eyes lifted her concerns.  

Her mouth wrapped around him and he swayed at the warmth and wetness of her mouth. It was alluring. It was intoxicating.  

It was right.  

She sucked on him attentively, flexing her lips, working her tongue around him, and quietly hummed. He groaned, bracing himself on the shower stall at the pornographic image of Ani’s wet naked body beneath him, his dick in her mouth. She grabbed his ass, squeezing his cheeks to give herself leverage as she began sliding him in and out, fucking him with her mouth. Her tongue sinfully licked his tip with every bob and he could feel his second release quickly approaching.  

“Oh god...Ani...” he moaned and she hummed a high-pitch, wanton whine as she took his whole dick back in her mouth until her nose was brushing his red-white patch. The pressure of his tip dipping into the back of her throat unraveled him and he blew his load so hard that Ani gagged. She pulled back with a cough and he wanted to apologize but before he could get the words out she was sucking on him again, catching the rest of his release in her mouth.  

He felt weak with the image of his cum dribbling out of the corner of her mouth and dripping onto her chest.  

“Sorry...” he panted. “I didn’t expect there to be so much that time.”  

She released him with a pop and looked up from under her eyelashes. “It’s okay.” She smiled bashfully as she stood up and he pulled her back against his chest. He lathered his hands in front of her and she said “Sho, you don’t—” 

“I want to,” he whispered gravelly in her ear sending a shiver through her body. “This is as much about us being back together as it is about me.”  

She looked over his shoulder seeing he was completely serious.  

He added “I know what you went through when I was gone.”  

“How?” She asked with a furrowed brow.  

He kissed her lips. “I’ll tell you about it later, okay? For now I just want to be with you.”  

“Okay,” she said with a smile and rested back against him, giving him the freedom to express his own care and affection.  

 

 

 

 

 

He was finally starting to feel better. Although he had already showered since being rescued, he didn’t feel clean until after that shower. Really clean. Like down to his soul inside-and-out kind of clean.   

He took an extra minute rinsing off in the shower watching Ani towel herself dry before following. She wrapped the towel around her body and went out into their room.   

Everything about this moment was right. Hearing her in their bedroom opening and closing drawers as he dried himself off. Knowing she would be there when he came out. He leaned on the bathroom door frame, towel wrapped around his waist, and watched her step into a pair of his boxers. One of his t-shirts hung loosely over her form.   

She caught him looking and playfully narrowed her eyes at him. “You ripped my only clothes here...”   

He smirked. “Unintentional. But I’m not complaining.”   

She stuck her tongue out at him before leaving the room. Hearing the sounds of cabinets opening, closing, and glasses being filled were sweet, familiar sounds to him. He was in his underwear when she came back in, offering him a glass of water as she usually did.  

"Thanks," he said downing the glass in a long swig. He pulled her against him feeling... safe ...with this person that he loved more than anything in the world. "Is...is now a good time to talk?"   

She hummed, resting against him. "Whenever you're ready." She was content to stay like this forever if he needed or wanted it.  

He held her for a moment longer.   

“During the trial...” he murmured. “ Bakugo gave his testimony through projection.”   

“Projection?” Ani asked, matching his quiet tone.   

He leaned back against his dresser, pulling her weight onto him even more. “There’s a detective who can project a person’s memories for others to see.” He buried his face in her hair. “ Bakugo wanted everyone to understand what it had been like for you when I was gone...the innocence of your search for me.”   

“I was so worried about you,” Ani said with a soft sob into his chest.   

“I know...And you were all I could think about.” He clutched her. “Ani...I’m so sorry for everything you went through. I’m so sorry I couldn’t do anything to stop them from spreading those rumors.”  

She sniffled. “You’re alive. And you’re back, safe, now...” She sighed. “I don’t blame you for any of it but I forgive you. For whatever you blame yourself for...I forgive you.”   

Her words soothed the burning wounds in his heart. “Thank you.” After a long moment he said “Ani... Hansha’s gone.” She looked up at him, a tear slipping down her cheek that he wiped away. “She left before the fight was over...she’s the one who killed Jireta .”   

Ani’s eyes softened. “I remember Kichi telling me...what happened?”   

“They crossed paths on a train out of the city. Hansha went to the coast,” he explained. “ Bakugo was able to track her path to the beach but there wasn’t any trace of her after that.”   

“So you think she died there?”   

Shouto nodded. “She left a note for him before she left saying her body wasn’t going to last much longer.”   

“Oh Bakugo ...” Ani said, sadness filling her eyes and a heaviness weighing in her heart. “I feel so badly now...I wish I had known when I saw him earlier. I could’ve consoled him—thanked him for even being there at all!” She caught the strange expression on Shouto’s face and asked “what?”   

“He did a lot for you while I was gone.”   

Ani nodded. His confession resurfaced in her mind and she felt a twist of complicated feelings. “He was the first person to help me...after so many people wrote it off as an affair.”   

“How did it feel?...Having him at your side?” Shouto brushed her damp hair off her shoulder.   

Ani’s brow furrowed. “What do you mean?”   

He traced her lips. Lips of the person he loved most. “Ani...” He smiled but it didn’t touch his eyes. “Have you ever considered what you feel for him?”   

“He’s my friend...” Ani’s expression tightened and it made Shouto nervous but he pressed on.   

“In Bakugo’s memories...” he hesitated. “I saw how you looked at him when he came to help you.” He stopped her from cutting him off. “It’s okay...I’m not angry or upset...or even jealous. I’m...grateful. And more than that...he realized on his own that I had been kidnapped. He could have kept that to himself giving himself an opening with you...but he didn’t.” He cupped her cheek. “I’m grateful that someone has your back so unshakably.”   

Ani stayed quiet. For once, she was unsure where he was going with this.   

“Have you ever considered you might have feelings for him?” He asked, stroking her cheek. Her eyes unfocused as she digested his words.   

“I...I don’t know...”   

Shouto smiled but it didn’t touch his eyes. “Maybe you should.”   

“Are you...” Ani stiffened in his arms. “Are you breaking up with me?”   

“No,” he said without hesitation and his embrace tightened, giving her no chance of pulling away. The seriousness in his eyes made her shiver. “Absolutely not.”   

Ani gulped. “Then what are you suggesting?”   

Shouto exhaled through flared nostrils. “I’m suggesting we...give him an invitation.”   

Ani gaped up at his completely serious expression. “A threesome ?!” Her voice rose an octave in nervousness.   

“Not necessarily, as I’m not personally attracted to him.” Shouto shrugged. “I’m just...saying that I’m open to whatever you need. For however long you need it.”  

Her fingertips trailed over the bare slabs of his chest. “I don’t know what to say.” She frowned. “How can you be okay with this...especially after everything that’s happened?”   

“I don’t know,” he admitted. “But I am.”   

“What if...what if I fall in love with him?” Ani asked, wondering how far his tolerance was willing to extend.   

Shouto smirked. “Even if you do, I’m not going anywhere.” He traced her lips again. “I know you love me now and always will.” He didn’t even need to ask if she believed the texts form the Absolved; he knew she had no doubts. After everything that had been thrown at her, her faith in him never wavered. It was the least he could do for her. “I’m not going to backdown from a test of us.”   

She smiled sweetly, appreciating the memory—one of the few she still had from their years together. After a moment her smile fell. “But...we’re not talking about just a party or something else...We’re talking about a whole other person. An entirely new element and all the possibilities that come with it.”   

“Worst case scenario you fall in love with him, too.” His arms tightened. “I’m not thrilled with the idea of sharing you for the rest of my life but Bakugo proved himself worthy of your attention.” He kissed the top of her head. “Best case scenario? You figure out you’re not in love with him.”   

“I don’t know I feel...” Ani rested on his chest. “I-I don’t even know what to say.”  

“You don’t have to right now,” he murmured. “Just promise to tell me when you do.”   

“I will,” she whispered and kissed the skin on his chest. Something else occurred to her. “How much of Bakugo’s memories did you see?”   

“Everything related to you since I’d been taken.” He yawned. “Why?”   

She angled her head to look up at him, eyes glistening. “Then you know your father is...”   

He nodded.   

“I’m sorry I wasn’t the one to tell you,” she whispered sadly.   

“It’s alright,” he said and wiped away her tear.   

She sniffled. “He wouldn’t let me save him. He made me save my regeneration for you.”   

“Well,” Shouto cleared his throat. “I’m glad he did.” He ran his fingers through her hair. “Thank you for saving his glove for me.”   

She nodded, unable to find words and slowly slipped into sleep against him. He lifted her up, carrying her to the bed and tucked them in together. He spooned her and she pressed back up against him in her sleep. A perfect fit.  

He drifted off with the memories of everything he had seen in Bakugo’s testimony. He knew Ani had feelings for Bakugo and she didn’t realize it yet. But he also knew she loved him. A fierce, steadfast love that could survive anything. He remembered the look on her face in the memory of Bakugo’s confession: how she hadn’t rejected him but made it clear that finding Shouto was the prority. He nuzzled in close to her. Even if Bakugo was going to become a larger part of their lives he had no reservations. No doubts about the strength of their love for each other.   

Because she loved him.   

And he loved her.   

Forever.   

 

 

Shouto was awoken by a notification from security: Bakugo was here. Shouto didn't bother to get out of bed and listened as the other pro hero let himself into their home. He wandered through the apartment until he caught sight of Shouto and Ani—who was sound asleep—laying in the massive bed together.   

Bakugo scowled and angrily whispered from the doorway. “Really? You couldn’t have just told me to come back later?”   

Shouto stared at him, unphased. “I know you’ve been waiting to hear something.”   

“Whatever, dumbass,” he snarled half-heartedly as a gentle snore rolled out of Ani. His glowing red eyes softened as they caught sight of her face slack with sleep. “What did she say?”   

“Nothing yet.” Shouto brushed a lock of her hair off her neck. “She said she didn’t know what to say or how she feels.” Bakugo’s face was tight and Shouto guessed he was trying to hide his hope. With a gesture of his head, Shouto said “there’s a guest room across the apartment.”   

“So?” Bakugo said defensively. “I’m not a charity case.”   

Shouto rolled his eyes. “Fine. Go stay at a hotel then.”   

“Don’t tell me what to do!” he snapped and stormed off. Shouto smirked as he heard the guest room door close with a considerately quiet slam.   

He snuggled back up against Ani and kissed her neck. In her sleep she whispered his name and shifted into his embrace.   

Yeah. He didn’t have a single doubt.   

 

 

 

 

Chapter 111: Moving In

Chapter Text

Bakugo could barely sleep in the fucking half-and-half's annoyingly-too-comfortable guest bed. His mind was racing.  

He was here.  

In their apartment.  

What the fuck was wrong with him?!  

God his mind was spinning in circles.  

He was going to fly off the handle if they were fucking around with him...but the damn icy-hot bastard didn’t rub anything in his face. Didn’t kick him out or make some cocky stand.  

...and Ani... 

She hadn’t said yes...to giving him a chance. 

But then again... 

She hadn’t said no.  

This could go either way. For fuck’s sake his stomach churned all night and in the early morning he got out of bed and decided to see what—if anything—there was to eat or drink.  

He halted in the doorway: Shouto was already awake, reading as coffee brewed behind him. He looked up and gave Bakugo a nonchalant nod as if his presence was a normal occurrence before pulling another mug out of a cabinet.  

“Do you want coffee?” he asked quietly.  

Bakugo tried not to scowl though everything about this was weird. “Yeah.”  

Shouto set the mug down next to the french press and went back to his book.  

“Is...” Bakugo cleared his throat. “Is Ani still asleep? 

“Yeah,” answered Shouto, glancing up. “Why?”  

Bakugo shrugged and loitered awkwardly with his hands in his pockets. After another minute Shouto poured the coffee and offered one to Bakugo.  

“Ugh, damnit,” the ash-blonde grumped.  

Shouto looked up, brows rising. “What?”  

“It’s good coffee,” he begrudgingly admitted. He muttered “thanks.”  

“No problem.” Shouto went back to reading his book.  

After a minute that seemed to only be tense for him, Bakugo demanded “how can you be so fucking calm about all of this?!”  

Shouto set his book down and leaned back, crossing his arms. "Why does it matter?”  

“Because!” Bakguo said in an angry hush. “I’m here to see if your girlfriend is interested in...I don’t know...” He plopped into a barstool, putting his head in his hands.  

“Bakugo,” he sighed. “Like I told you before. As long as your intention is only to be included in her life, and not to cut me out of it, I don’t care.”  

Bakugo pouted and looked away. “And I already told you I don’t care about cutting you out. It’s enough just to be a part of her life.”  

“Then what do I care,” said Shouto with a shrug. “If she’s happy, I’m happy.”  

“Yeah, well, same here dumbass.” Bakugo crossed his arms and scrutinized their apartment. “Kind of a boring place you’ve got here.”  

Shouto smirked. “The most exciting part is still in bed. The rest of this is replaceable.”  

“Cocky bastard,” scoffed Bakugo under his breath. He wasn’t going to admit it was a nice place or that it had a nice view of Musutafu.  

A yawn stretched out from the master bedroom and Bakugo stiffened as soft steps padded toward the kitchen. Ani appeared in the doorway rubbing her eyes, yawning again, with messy bed-head.  

“Good mo—” her smiling sentiment stopped abruptly as she caught sight of Bakugo. Her face turned crimson and she scrambled for words. “Oh, um. Hi. I didn’t know you were here.”  

Bakugo grinned, basking in the new flustered response to his presence. “Is that a problem?” He asked.  

“Umm...no...” she slowly backed up into the bedroom. “I just...have to go the bathroom.”  

She darted out of sight, slamming the door behind her and Shouto laughed.  

Bakugo cocked an eyebrow at him. “What are you laughing at, dumbass?”  

Shouto covered his mouth and shook his head. “Oh, nothing...” he laughed again. “That was adorable.”  

Bakugo rolled his eyes and took another drink of coffee, secretly reveling in being here because now he was sure he had a real chance to be in her life.  

 

 

 

 

Ani dove back into bed and buried herself under the covers, heart pounding.  

She heard the door open and close. Someone’s weight shifted on the bed and her mind was scrambling in the fog of waking up.  

“Ani?” Shouto’s deep voice rumbled through her. She peeked over the top of the sheet; he grinned his full smile and she could feel the blush pulsing across her face. “What’s wrong?”  

Her eyes narrowed and she pulled the sheet back over her head.  

“Come on...” he said gently, lovingly. "You can't hide in here forever.”  

She half-whimpered, half-groaned from under the fabric. “What’s he doing here so early?”  

“He stayed over,” answered Shouto.  

Ani folded the sheet down; her eyes bulged. “What?!” 

He smirked. “In the guest bedroom...”  

Ani half-whimpered half-groaned, covering her face as she sat up. “I can’t believe he was okay with that.”  

“I mean, I prefer to sleep with you, but the half-and-half said you hadn't made a decision yet," said Bakugo with a cocky grin, leaning on the doorway.  

Ani gulped looking everywhere but at him and changed the topic as quickly as she could think of something. “What day is today?”  

“Saturday,” Shouto offered. “Why?”  

“I should just, um, get back to campus,” Ani said shyly climbing out of bed as two pairs of eyes followed her. “And ah...get ready for the students to come back to school on Monday and talk to Nezu and make a plan for my community service hours and figure out who my probation officer is—”  

She was putting one of Shouto’s thicker sweatshirts on and was rooting around for a pair of pants she could borrow, too, when a pair of muscular arms caged her in.  

She whipped around and froze face-to-face with Bakugo.  

A coy smirk slowly formed on his face. “Am I making you nervous, goldilocks?”  

“N-no,” she lied as heat rose to her cheeks. His eyes were alarmingly rich as they smoldered only a few inches away from her. “I-I just have a lot of work to do.”  

She slipped out under one of his arms and he straightened up with an obnoxious grin as she backed into the bathroom and quickly closed the door behind herself.  

She locked it, just for good measure, and sank to the floor.  

What the fuck was happening.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Once Ani was semi-decent she cracked the door open and saw the bedroom was empty. She tip-toed out to the kitchen and saw Shouto sitting on the couch in a pair of jeans and a dark button-down, hanging open over a white undershirt. His eyes flicked up to her and he smiled.  

“Hey,” he said.  

She gulped, glancing around. “Is he gone?”  

Shouto’s lips pressed together as he tried to hide a smile. “Yes.”  

Ani sagged against the doorframe, eyes wide with a mix of her confused feelings. “Were you two trying to kill me?”  

“No,” Shouto said, expression clearing. “Are you upset?”  

She blushed her his questioning gaze and wrapped her arms around herself. “No. Idon’tknow.”  

He rose from the couch and pulled her against him. “I’m sorry for ambushing you like that. It won’t happen again.”  

“Thanks,” she said and hugged him. “Can you give me a ride to campus?”  

“Of course.” He tipped her face up to his. “I’m jealous that Bakugo has been there already.”  

She reached up and kissed him, pulling back with a smile that changed to a grimace. “It’s actually pretty embarrassing right now...”  

“I saw,” he said and explained “in Bakugo’s memory.”  

She sighed. “Well…I guess there’s no reason to be embarrassed then.”  

And there wasn’t.  

She didn’t feel judged by him in anyway when she let him into her campus apartment and he saw the rambling notes over the walls and stacks of unpacked boxes.  

She smiled shyly when he peeked in her bedroom and saw the bare mattress.  

“It felt wrong to set it up without you,” she admitted. He took her in his arms and leaned in, kissing her slowly. Deeply. After a few minutes of tender lips-on-lips he pulled her against his chest.  

“Would you like help setting it up now?” he asked and the deep timbre of his voice reverberating through her was more comforting than she could ever say.  

She whispered “yes please.”  

They spent the rest of the day unpacking her few boxes and arranging her new space as she fielded phone calls and emails. She scheduled a meeting with Nezu later that afternoon. She connected with the probation officer assigned to her and arranged a meeting for the next day—Sunday—hoping to be back on campus when students returned to their dorms. She was starting to feel good. The apartment looked like an actual home now, especially with Shouto cooking lunch for the two of them at her small stove.  

She wrapped her arms around him from behind. “Thank you for all your help today.”  

“I’m glad I could be here,” he said quietly and she hugged him tightly.  

“Me, too,” she whispered into his muscular back.  

He looked over his shoulder at her. “What’s wrong?”  

“I just wish I never walked away from you that night,” she said, face still buried against him.  

He sighed and turned around in her arms. “Ani…about that night.” He cupped her cheek and brought her teary eyes up to his. “Yaoyorozu kissed me.”  

Ani heard an echo of Jireta’s voice from that basement…saying how she caught the two of them making out.  

“She was drunk,” he said quietly. “And I was feeling anxious about not seeing you everyday with your transition to UA…so I wasn’t paying attention until it was too late. And she forced herself on me.”  

Ani swallowed thickly and tried to digest this information. “So the calls you were making to Dojire…”  

He nodded. “It was about that.” He stroked her cheek, hoping she would understand. “I was afraid someone had seen and I wanted to make sure the situation was already dealt with before I told you…And then…”  

“You were kidnapped,” Ani murmured sadly. She sank into his half-warm half-cold body when he drew her against him and was glad. She couldn’t bear to see his face when she asked in a weak whisper “did you…like it?...Is that why you’re offering me space to have feelings for Bakugo?”  

His body was tense as he resolutely answered “no.” He shuddered. His body had been used against his will so many times and Yaoyorozu’s kiss had marked the start of that. He wished he could go back and shake sense into himself.  

If he had never excused himself from the dinner and simply talking with friends, if he had been quicker to realize that woman's quirk— 

The light touch of her fingers in his hair drew him out of his spiraling thoughts. “It’s okay.”  

His eyes fell to her face.  

“Really,” she assured him. “I believe you. The only person I’m upset with is Yaoyorozu.” She fisted his shirt in her hands and her nostrils flared angrily. “I can’t stand her.”  

Shouto laughed.  

The sound was freeing and Ani forgot her anger. It was good to hear the happy sound rolling out of him. She smirked, playfully pouting and threw her arms around his neck.  

“You’re adorable,” she said.  

His laughing subsided to a chuckle. “I was just thinking the same thing about you.” He took her lips with his and kissed her, passionately parting her lips with his to steal the breath from her lungs.  

Her hands wandered under his shirt feeling up the defined muscles across his stomach and teased her fingertips under the hem of his pants. They brushed a familiar, fleshy part of him that warmed her cheeks. She palmed him over the outside of his pants and felt him harden as his lips became more aggressive. 

“Fuck me,” she asked with heavy-hooded eyes and he smiled predatorily.  

“Gladly.” 

He lifted her off the floor, rocking into her mouth with heady kisses and laid her down on the small table. It took a few seconds to pull his own sweatpants and boxers off her hips and drop his own pants to the ground.  

He prodded her entrance, surprised at the natural lubrication already there, and growled as she folded her knees, waiting wide open for him…he pushed in with a satisfying pressure and she moaned out. He set a steady pace pulling out only halfway before rocking back into her. She took his shirt off, palming the hard muscles of his body as their lunch simmered on the stove, long forgotten.  

He pulled her hips up, gripping them tightly to find the mind-blowing resistance of her hot spot and she gripped the edges of the table. Desperate whines and moans flowed in a steady stream as he braced himself and increased his pace.  

Ani was momentarily worried about the structural integrity of her table as his aggressive pace began to rock the whole thing. She didn’t care for long though as he leaned down to mark her neck with a furious enthusiasm. She began clenching, coil tightening in her abdomen, and the delicious hardness of his cock as it pounded into her squeezing cunt was enough to snap the pleasure across her body.  

Her arms clutched at him, pressing him against her as he kept thrusting, needing more. She was falling apart underneath him and he chased his own climax and the one other thing he wanted.  

“Unnnh, Sho…” she moaned in the sensitivity of her wanton high and he came.  

His thrusts continued until his balls were empty. She wrapped her legs around him, keeping him close, and he rested his head on the table next to her…the soft warmth of her underneath him was comforting. Addicting.  

“Thank you,” she whispered airily.  

He smiled to himself. “The pleasure…” his deep voice tickled her ear. “…was all mine.”  

“Not entirely,” she snickered and flexed her walls purposefully around him making him chuckle.  

“Fair enough.” He pulled out and quickly slid his pants back up her legs before tucking himself away and checking on their meal.  

“Is it ready?” She asked lazily, holding him from behind again.  

He sighed. “Not yet.”  

“Mmm…good.” She hummed. “Let’s go shower.”  

Chapter 112: Moving Forward

Chapter Text

“Shida-san,” Nezu’s happily voice greeted her when she appeared in his doorway. “Please come in.”   

He gestured to a couch and chairs with a table between. “Would you like some tea?”   

“Yes, please,” she accepted gratefully as she sat on the couch. She was nearly trembling and, thankfully, the cup and saucer did not shake as he passed them to her.   

“I’m sure you’re anxious to understand the school’s opinion even though you already know your job here is secure,” surmised Nezu. Ani nodded and he smiled. “I won’t make you wait, then.  

“Miss Shida , we’ve faced serious criticism for keeping you on our team but we have no intention of cutting you loose —because of this offense, at least!” He grinned. “We have let staff go before if they have directly compromised the safety and pedagogy of our school and while some argue that your actions do just that, we all believe differently.   

“What’s happened recently is not enough for us to justify firing someone with a quirk that we need so badly to continue our rigorous training and continue to offer the world quality heroes. I won’t deny that the value of your quirk to us is a major factor in keeping you here.” His tail twitched. “But I want to assure you that you are more than a means to an end for us. We still value you as a person.  

“After all...how can we, as a hero school, punish someone who risked her life and future to spare the world from a group that has terrorized us since All Might’s time as a hero? We can’t.” He held up a round finger. “We are taking steps to assure parents that their children are safe and if there are more questions we may decide to welcome parents to campus to meet you for themselves.”   

“I understand,” Ani said with a bow of her head although the thought of meeting with a large group of angry, protective parents absolutely terrified her. But she would do it if she needed to.  

“I knew you would,” responded Nezu with a smile. A soft quiet fell between them as she sipped her tea. “How are you doing, Shida-san?”   

She took a deep breath. “I’m...alright, thank you.”   

“Have you made arrangements to complete your community service?” Nezu asked.   

Ani wasn’t surprised that the principal of UA was well-informed. “I’m meeting my probation officer tomorrow so I’ll discuss my ideas with them and see if they approve.”   

“What are your thoughts on how to complete the time?”   

“Well...” Ani weighed her words. “Given that I don’t want to take away from any of my time that’s meant for the students, I want to ask to serve ten hours a week on Sundays either in a hospital or ward that needs the most help. I was also considering setting up a free clinic in one of the city parks and offer a wider range of care for those who maybe cannot afford to go to the hospital or doctor.”   

Nezu’s ears wiggled and his tail twitched. “Hmm....that’s an interesting idea...” He cupped his own chin and started thinking out loud. “If you were to set-up a free clinic on Sundays when there are no classes in session, the faculty and I could discuss using it as an opportunity to get our students out among the general public and practice interacting with the people they want to protect, since being a daily part of people’s lives is such an important part of being a hero...” his eyes refocused on Ani. “That is, of course, if you’re interested and your probation officer approves all the details of an arrangement like that.”   

Ani was speechless. “You...you would offer for the school to be involved?”   

“Of course,” Nezu said with a happy swing of his feet hanging off the chair. “It would be a great opportunity for you to repair your reputation with the public, give parents a place to meet you and watch your work among their children, as well as give the school a chance to interface with the people and show them they can still trust our decisions!”   

“Wow...that’s,” Ani said with a warm smile. “That’s amazing. Thank you, Principal.”   

Before he could respond she rose from the couch and kneeled on the floor, giving him a deep bow.   

“Thank you Principal, for still believing in me and giving me another chance.”   

“You’re welcome Miss Shida-san.” He hopped down from his chair and patted her head. When she sat back on her heels they were eye-level. “Serve us and our students well.”   

“I will.” Her heart was bursting with optimism and hope. “Oh!” She said with a snap of her fingers. "I had another idea I wanted to talk to you about.”   

He motioned for her to return to the couch and she did. He scooted back into his chair waiting eagerly.   

“It occurred to me that heroes almost always arrive on the scene before EMTs and paramedics where there are sometimes critically injured victims. I would like to put together a course to teach the students basic first-aid that could save someone’s life in the crucial moments before medical help arrives.”   

Nezu opened his arms widely with a huge smile. “Shida-san, that’s a wonderful idea! Put together an educational plan and we can discuss it with the faculty!”   

“Of course!” Ani said, grinning excitedly. Her mind was already buzzing with ideas. “I will let you know as soon as I have a proposal ready to share.”  

“Thank you Miss Shida,” Nezu said warmly. “For still being here with such positivity and support for our students. You are an important member of our team.”   

Ani blushed, tears prickling at her eyes. “Thank you, sir.”   

Nezu’s phone rang and Ani excused herself from his office, practically skipping down the hallway with an untouchable enthusiasm.  

 

 

 

 

Ani popped into her clinic and made sure everything was ready and prepared for the first day of school on Monday. She was still missing a few supplies that she had ord—  

Umeji.   

Guilt sank through Ani’s chest as she remembered Umeji’s role here and everything that had happened to him. The worry nagged at her enough to try and figure it out without bothering Nezu. She ventured to the faculty room and found a few teachers working at their desks.   

Ectoplasm, Lemillion , and Midnight looked up from their desks.   

“Shida-san!” Lemillion said happily. “Welcome back to campus!”   

“Thank you,” she said with a bow of her head.   

“What can we help you with, love?” Midnight cooed.   

Ani glanced around. “Does...does anyone know how Umeji is doing?”   

Midnight and Lemillion’s expressions fell just a fraction but it was Ectoplasm who answered in his strange echoey voice.   

“He has recovered from the mental stress he was put through by his wife but he and his daughter are taking time away as a family to recover from deeper wounds and sorrow.”   

Ani nodded, feeling badly that she hadn’t thought about him sooner. “I see.”   

“Is there something we can help you with?” Lemillion asked, trying to keep everyone’s spirits up.  

“I just have a few things that need to be replaced in the infirmary and I wasn’t sure who to talk to about it.”   

“I can help,” he said with a smile and closed the folder at his desk. He walked right through the row of desks which made Ani shudder. If he noticed, he didn’t react.   

Once it was just the two of them in the hallway Ani said “I want to apologize to you, Lemillion.”  

“For what?” He asked quizzically.   

Ani grimaced. “I turned away from you in the hospital...and that must have been very confusing and frustrating.”   

“It was quite alarming,” he said with a happy tone that contradicted his words. “But, it makes sense now that I understand what was happened.”   

“How did you find out?” She asked.   

“I gave a brief testimony during your trial and told the judge what I saw that day,” he stated and opened the door to the clinic for her. “I was there for other testimonies as well so I heard much about what you went through.”   

“Wow...I’m sorry for all the trouble that must have caused.” Ani chided herself for being so much of a burden on others during all of this.   

He gave her a huge thumbs up and beaming grin. “It’s all part of the job. I’ve been to a number of trials as a hero from all of the incidents I’ve had a role in.”   

“Oh...” she smiled though it didn’t touch her eyes. “Well...that doesn’t mean it wasn’t troublesome.” She opened her files. “And it certainly doesn’t mean it should be a thankless job...” As she pulled out a blank purchase request she said “so, thank you. Really.”   

“You don’t even know if the testimony I gave was positive or not!” When her face tightened awkwardly, he laughed a bright sound like tinkling glass. “Not to worry. It was all positive.”   

“Oh...” she relaxed and reached for a pen to fill out the blank form. “I guess thank you is appropriate then.” She wrote out all the information and then offered it to Lemillion. “Should I give this to you?”   

“Yes, please!” He said swiping it energetically out of her hand.   

“Ah!” She winced as the edge of the paper sliced through her palm. “It’s okay—it's okay,” she assured him when he reached out in concern; her skin was already resealing itself. Only a single bead of dark blood formed at the end of the cut before it was healed.   

“Whoa!” Lemillion exclaimed. “I knew you had regeneration but that was awesome to see in action!”   

She laughed. “Thanks, Lemillion. Sometimes I forget the novelty of it.”   

“Same as my ability,” he said with a smile. “I remember not everyone’s used to it when I see them flinch, like you did when I walked through the desks.”   

She grimaced. “Sorry. I was hoping you hadn’t seen. I didn’t want to make you feel awkward.”   

“No offense taken.” He kept smiling easily. “It’s a nice reminder of how lucky I am to have it back.”   

Ani’s eyebrows raised. “Have it back?”   

“Yes,” he said and flexed his muscles. “I—”   

“Oi, what the hell is this?”   

Ani’s heart leapt up into her throat as she caught sight of a sulking Bakugo leaning against her doorframe.   

“I was just about to tell—” Lemillion started to say.  

“Ugh, I don’t care,” Bakugo said with a roll of his eyes and gestured down the hall with his head. “Beat it. I need to talk to goldilocks.”   

Lemillion turned to Ani for her reaction, his own smile unfaltering, and she sighed. “It’s okay,” she said. “I’d be happy to hear about it another time, if you still want to tell me. Thank you for all your help, Lemillion.”   

“Not a problem,” he said giving her a wink with the smile that never seemed to leave his face. "Let me know if you need anything else while Umeji's gone. I'm taking care of all the paperwork for him."   

“I will, thank you.” Ani watched tensely as the bubbling blonde hero walked up to the pouty, explosive one and flicked his nose.   

“Boop!”   

Lemillion disappeared through Bakugo himself who whipped around yelling at an empty hall as Lemillion was already gone.    

“Damn bastard!” Bakguo growled in irritation and turned his attention to Ani but before either of them could speak Lemillion’s face peeked back in through the wall.   

“Oh, And Shida-san!” He beamed. “Please, call me Mirio!"   

“Oi!” Bakugo shouted and lunged to the wall—that was already blank again. Bakugo was positively seething. “The fucking nerve!”   

Ani found herself trying to hide a smile as her feelings were becoming clearer. Grumbling as he turned back to her, he cocked an eyebrow at her expression.   

“What?” He asked.   

She shook her head and cleared her throat. “Nothing. What’s up?”   

His eyes narrowed and stepped toward her trying to decide if he would press the issue. “I was just wondering how you were doing today,” he said cautiously.   

“Oh...” she gulped. “I-I’m fine, thanks. How are you?”   

He crossed his arms—she wondered if he was trying to flex or if his arms were just naturally that defined—and a smirk slowly spread on his face as he caught the sheepish flicker of her eyes. “Better now...I was wondering if you had plans tonight.”   

“I um...” she could feel her face flaring embarrassingly. “I was just going to have a quiet night in...I-I’m kind of worried about tomorrow. I have my first meeting with the probation officer assigned to my case and the students are also—” she started babbling as he took slow, determined steps toward her “—coming back to campus so I didn’t want to be—ah!” she gasped as she bumped into a wall.   

Bakugo placed a hand on either side of her head, caging her in again as he had done earlier that morning. “Anything else you have going on?” He grinned. “Or are you going to keep giving me excuses and avoiding me?”   

She unintentionally batted her eyelashes at his direct question and remembered what Shouto had said about her in her apartment...that she wouldn’t withhold her feelings once she figured them out.   

“No. ..I don’t—I mean I-I'm not—” She took a nervous breath feeling self-conscious under his intense gaze. “I’m going to just hang out at home with Shouto tonight...” she steadied herself and looked up at him from under her eyelashes for a long moment.   

She took a leap. “Would you like to come over after work...Katsuki?”   

His eyes blazed at the use of his name. “Yes.”   

 

 

 

 

 

Ani was practically shaking when she finished everything she could think of to be prepared for Monday and—as he promised— Katsuki came back at dusk. She locked up the infirmary and walked with him across campus, nervously quiet and preoccupied.   

She could feel him watching her from the corner of his eye. Her skin nearly fizzled with electricity from his proximity.   

Close.   

But not touching.   

“How was your day?” Ani asked quietly as they approached the staff dorms.   

He shrugged, strolling along with his hands in his pockets. “Fine.”   

Ani felt suddenly vulnerable with self-doubt. What if it turned out that he didn’t really want to be with her? What if he realized she was completely different from Hansha and got bored? Her chest tightened, throat closed up as the truth of her self-doubt hit her.   

She was worried about being rejected by him.   

Losing him.  

Because she cared for him.  

And wanted him around.   

She was still wrapped up in nervousness when they stepped into the elevator.  

“Oi,” he grunted quietly. “What’s with that weird face?”   

Her attention snapped back into place and she smiled, unable to express her vulnerability. “Nothing, sorry.”   

He studied her expression. “Maybe you don’t remember...but I told you a long time ago you don’t have to do that with me.”   

“Do what?” she asked mirroring his memory, and just like in that memory, the smile didn’t touch her eyes. But this time it only took a moment of his patience for her vulnerability to surface. "I just...” she quietly forced the words out. “I’m worried you’ll compare me to Hansha...and decide you won’t want to be with me.”   

Her eyes fell away in embarrassed jealousy and she missed the intensity that flamed in his eyes. His whole body clenched with disbelief and the doors opened before he could respond.   

Ani walked to her door, head hanging low as she chided herself and didn’t check to see if Katsuki was following her. She wasn’t going to be able to handle it if he wasn’t going to follow her after all of this.   

She shouldn’t have worried.   

Heat enveloped her as he followed her in and closed the door. “You think... I am going to decide I don’t want to be with you ?” He asked with a strained, tense voice.   

Ani nodded. In a small voice she explained “I’m worried that maybe you’re just in love with the idea of me...especially since you were with Hansha...And once you get a taste of what I’m really like you’ll be disappointed...or bored...” She couldn’t help the few tears that fell. “And you have so much to offer someone...I can’t imagine how you could be happy in a situation like this. God, I must be the most selfish person in the world.”   

She felt like she was going to crack open and tried to dash away but she was no match for his reflexes. He grabbed her arm and spun her around into him, trapping her against his solid frame with no chance to flee.   

“Stop. Talking.” he said, eyes drilling into hers and added “ please.”  

Her wet eyelashes widened as he slowly leaned down, heat emanating off of him with such force that Ani was afraid the air would ignite. He kept his eyes on her face, searching for any hint of objection or rejection, until the last possible moment and when he found nothing but expectancy, his eyes fell shut and he gently pressed his lips to hers.   

Strong.   

Solid.  

Scorching.  

He was all of these things all the way through, even out to his lips. Ani’s heart soared as they pressed against hers and her eyes fluttered shut. She kissed him back, fingertips reaching up to his face tentatively exploring.   

His lips massaged hers with the power of passion released after years of pining and pushed them apart to kiss her openly. She folded into him, every inch of their bodies touching, as his tongue plunged into her mouth with a sweet, smoky taste. Her skin flushed with the victorious heat pulsing out of him and she whimpered, clinging to his neck, as she became light-headed from the seductive work and invasion of his muscle.   

Strong.   

Solid.   

Scorching. To the tip of his tongue.   

She pulled back needing to catch her breath and he released her. She expected him to gloat at her unravelling state but he didn’t.   

He took one of her hands and held it on his chest. “Do you feel that?” He asked.  

She stared up into his deep, smoldering red eyes and felt the savage pounding of his heart.   

“Can you feel what you do to me?” He asked...waiting until she nodded. “Good. My feelings are indubitable.”  

Heat spread across her face to the tips of her ears, down her neck. She gulped.   

“Tell your fears to fuck off,” he growled, pressing her hand harder against himself. “I love you, Ani.”   

Ani thought he would have rolled his eyes when she blinked and dripped a few tears but he was full of surprises tonight.   

“Thank you,” she said warmly.   

He grinned and swooped back in to kiss her again, filling her mouth with a few undulations before breaking and made a line of hard pecks across her jaw to her ear.   

“Don’t think I didn’t notice you didn’t say it back.” His voice vibrated deeply into her; he traced the shell of her ear with his tongue, making her quiver. He pointed out “doesn’t mean you don’t feel it...Take your time, goldilocks. I’m not going anywhere.” 

Chapter 113: I'm Okay With This

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ani rested her head on Katsuki’s chest and he wrapped his arms around her. She took a long, slow inhale of his full scent and smiled, savoring the smell that reminded her of summer and smoke. Her hands wanted to wander but his phone rang before they could. He checked it with a begrudging grumble and answered, keeping Ani pressed tight against him as he answered with the other hand.

“Yeah?”

Ani listened to the fearless pounding of his heart and closed her eyes with the vibrations of his deep voice in his chest.

“Two weeks.” He paused, listening. “I don’t handle that shit. Just send it to my office.”

Ani smiled as she could practically feel him rolling his eyes.

“No. I’ll find my own place.” Pause. “Yeah. Thanks.” He hung up.

“Everything okay?” Ani asked, eyes still closed as she rested against him.

“Yeah,” he grunted, wrapping both arms back around her. He felt her shift awkwardly. “What’s wrong?”

She looked up at him shyly. “I just...I want you to talk to me.” She placed her hand on his chest, nuzzling into him. “I want to be a part of your life...if you want me to be.”

“Is that what’s bothering you?” He asked gruffly. “I just didn’t want to bore you.”

Her arms slid around his waist, hugging him back. “Thank you for caring...but I want more than just your body.”

“You want my body?” He asked and she could hear the cocky smile in his voice.

“Of course,” she said with a light laugh. “I thought that was obvious.”

Still grinning he tilted her head back. “It was just nice to hear you say.” He claimed her mouth with a kiss that made her laugh again.

“Hey! I know what you’re trying to do!” She said when she pulled back and he pouted though there wasn’t serious grumpiness in it. “What’s going on?”

“I’m...” he huffed, squeezing her into him again. “I’m going to run Sero’s agency for a while until he recovers.”

“Sero?...” Ani gasped. “I completely forgot! He was one of the heroes taken! Is he okay? What’s happened to him?” She cringed inwardly. “I feel so terrible; I didn’t even think about him and Mina since everything happened—”

A large, muscular hand covered her mouth.

“Seriously. You beat yourself up too much,” he chided. “They’re fine. Your dumbass boyfriend gave them each some of your blood from his agency so they’re alive, they’re just taking longer to recover.” She nodded, relieved. “Are you done freaking out?”

She licked his hand.

OI!” He shouted and let go; she seized the opportunity to dash away from him. “Ey, Get back here!” Laughing, she didn’t get far before he trapped her. “Where you do you think you’re going?!”

She was laughing so hard she could barely get any words out; he started jabbing her neck with furious kisses that only made her laugh more.

“Ah-I—Okay, okay!” She was panting between laughs. “You got—you got me!”

“Damn straight I do,” he growled and left a deep, dark mark on her skin. Her laughing slowly subsided; he pulled back to admire his work and finally noticed her apartment was set-up.

“What?”

His eyes fell to hers. “Is half-and-half staying over tonight?” She nodded; he mused for a moment. “Can I?”

“You would want to? With Shouto here, too?”

“Obviously.”

She blushed. “I would like that.”

“Tell me, goldilocks,” he growled deeply into her ear. “Do you sleep naked?”

“N-no, not usually.” She blushed a deep red.

“That’s probably for the best...I don’t think I’d be able to keep my hands off you.”

Unable to take the heat flowing off of him she extricated herself from his arms and he pouted. “I should probably get some work done.”

“That’s so boring...” he sulked on his way to the couch. He draped himself across the whole thing and took out his phone, lazily scrolling through sites until she appeared above him. He grinned. “Back for more?”

Ani rolled her eyes. “Move over, I want to sit with you.” He shifted onto his side and patted the seat so she had to sit where he could wrap around her. She didn’t mind. Her work was demanding enough that she focused in on her laptop without difficulty. She was aware of his presence, especially his attention on her as he did things like play with her hair or lightly trace some obscure line of her features.

“I’m not used to being ignored...”

“I can tell,” she noted without looking up.

His snarky response was interrupted by his phone. “What do you want?” He paused, listening. “Yeah. She’s being super boring though.”

A fraction of Ani’s attention was drawn away as she looked over her shoulder at him. “Who is it?”

He pretended to ignore her. “I don’t know. She’s on her laptop.”

“Is it Shouto?”

“Yeah. I’m starving.” He paused and Ani narrowed her eyes at him. “Whatever, half-and-half, just make it spicy.”

“Don’t forget dessert!” Ani called at the phone. Katsuki tried to cover her mouth but she was dodging it, licking his palm every time he got close.

“Ugh, gross!”

“DESSERT, SHOUTO!” She shouted. “DON’T FORGET DESSERT!”

“She keeps fucking licking me!” He spat. “I’ve got to—”

She snatched the phone from him and said “can you please get dessert Sho—aah!”

Katsuki tackled her to the ground, tossing her laptop back onto the couch and yanked the phone back. “Geez! Is she always this obnoxious?!”

Ani was laughing underneath him and could hear Shouto’s rich laugh from the phone but couldn’t hear what he said.

“Whatever, just get my dinner half-and-half before I—.”

“And dessert!”

Ani was hysterical, sides aching as Katsuki hung up the phone and slid it away from her. He pinned down her hands that had been trying to tickle him. She wiggled her tongue at him.

“Keep licking me and I’m going to put that tongue to use."

She pulled her tongue back in and with a gentle smile said “another time, okay?”

His eyes popped open in an almost-angry shock.

“I really do have a lot of work to do for tomorrow. So, it’s not that I don’t want to…” she entreated. “I just want to be able to focus on our time together…whenever…it…happens…”

Her words trailed off as she stared up into his wide, angled eyes.

“Katsuki…are you okay?”

His eyes shifted to her lips, back to her eyes, and he slowly sank toward her until they were kissing.

She could tell all the things he was feeling from his incredulous, passionate presence above her; she guessed it was going to take him time to get used to not being turned down. She slid her hands down under his and laced their fingers together. She kissed him back, welcoming him wholeheartedly into her life.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Shouto walked in to find Ani working studiously with a cute frown of focus as Bakugo was curled up around her, scrolling through his phone. They both looked up and greeted him in their own way, a smile and a grunt respectively.

He felt the corner of his mouth tip up in the hint of a smile. “Hey.”

“Hi,” Ani said; she went to stand up but Bakugo kept his arm latched around her waist. She sighed, keeping her eyes on Shouto as he came over and gave her a kiss. “How was the rest of your day?”

“Fine.” He lifted Bakugo effortlessly to a sitting position—still not releasing Ani—and sat on her other side. “Everything is mostly back to normal. Everyone in Dagoben is wondering when I’m coming back.”

“When are you going back?”

“Not until later in the week. My father’s burial services are happening on Tuesday night.”

Ani nodded, placing a hand on his. “Tell me when they are; I’ll be there.”

“No, it’s okay—”

“Sho.” Her face was serious but still kind. “It’s for you and myself. I want to say goodbye.”

He nodded, fighting the lump in his throat, and gave her the phone Cipher had secured. “I put it in your calendar already.”

“Thank you.” She gave him a kiss and rested her forehead on his, cupping his cheek for a long moment. Someone shifted; Bakugo was trying to get up from his seat but Ani kept him in place now. “Where are you going?”

“Giving you space.”

“Why?” She looked between them. “You said you two talked, right?”

Shouto met the blazing red eyes with a raised brow.

He returned to his place grumbling under his breath. Ani smiled, settling in between both of them.

And Shouto was completely okay with it.

“How was your day?” He asked, brushing her hair back and recapturing her attention.

“Good!” She recounted her meeting with Nezu to him. When Bakugo asked why she didn’t tell him all of that her response was simple:

“You didn’t ask.”

Shouto glanced at her screen and scanned the document. “Wow…you already have the proposal ready for your probation officer?”

She nodded. “I’m really excited. If it gets approved Nezu even said the school might ask to have students participate. Interface with the public and all.”

“That’s not a bad idea,” Shouto considered. He heard the familiar sound of her stomach growl and smirked. “Hungry?”

She smiled sheepishly. “Starving.”

The three of them sat down to eat at Ani’s small table—that she cleaned after their activities, before meeting with the principal—and Bakugo snickered.

“Geez, half-and-half. I know I’m huge but this is a lot of food.”

“Yeah…most of it is not for us…”

“You mean…”

Ani grinned awkwardly. “Yeah…I kind of…eat…a lot. Regeneration burns through any reserves of energy and this past week left me pretty…” She gestured to her frame. “Empty.”

And when they sat down to eat, Bakugo couldn’t hide his surprise as Ani ate three bowls of food.

Ani stretched, finally feeling energy infuse back into every inch of her. “That was delicious. Good choice, Katsuki.”

Shouto expected him to bark back but the explosive blonde just looked away; Ani patted her stomach and closed her eyes.

“Any room left?”

She cracked them open enough to see Shouto holding up a pink bag with white flowers all over it and her eyes grew wide, hungry.

“Of course!” She clenched her fists and squealed in excitement. “What did you bring?!”

He pulled out a long box and Ani’s eyes burned.

“You got castella!”

The look on her face made his own heart shine, just as it made Bakugo’s face clear of anger. Shouto hid his smile.

Between the three of them they finished the cake.

“Mm…thank you, Sho.” Ani kissed his cheek and excused herself to use the bathroom.

Bakugo watched her leave from the corner of his eye.

“Time to put yer money where your mouth is, half-and-half.”

“Staying over?”

“Yupp.” Bakugo crossed his arms with a challenging look. “Got a problem with that?”

“Nope.”

“Good.”

“How’s Sero doing?”

“He’s fine.” Bakugo threw back the rest of his drink. “Plain face asked me to watch his agency for him while he gets better.”

“Are you going to?”

“Yeh. Two weeks. Then I need to get back to Dagoben to make sure shitty-hair doesn’t let ours go to hell.”

Shouto nodded slowly. “Where are you staying?”

“Don’t know yet.” He grinned cockily. “You already know where I’d like to stay.”

Shouto smirked. “If she says no, you’re welcome to the guest room at my apartment.”

“Like she would say no!”

“Just don’t coerce her,” warned Shouto.

“Obviously I’m not going to do that!” Bakugo slammed his palms on the table leaving scorch marks and glared down at him.

“Going to do what?” Ani asked with a yawn from her doorway.

Both men turned to her and Shouto felt his own cheeks warm; she was dressed in one of his big t-shirts and pajama shorts. “Ready for bed?”

“Almost.” She nodded and smiled, helping them clear the table. “Are you guys coming?”

“Yes.”

“Obviously!”

Shouto went to the bathroom and heard Bakugo try to climb into bed followed by an “oof! What was that for goldilocks?!”

“Go brush your teeth.”

“What are you, my mother?!” He harrumphed without heart. “Half-and-half’s in there already anyway.”

Shouto got an extra toothbrush and threw it across the room like a dart.

“Fucking fine!” Bakugo snatched it out of the air and moped out to the kitchen.

Ani climbed into bed and Shouto peeked out, savoring the peaceful expression settling over her. She caught his eye and smiled.

“You okay?” she asked quietly.

He nodded and quickly cleaned up, looking forward to being next to her. Shirt already on the floor, he was stepping out of his pants when Bakugo walked in.

“What the hell are you doing?!”

Shouto answered him flatly. “Getting ready for bed. I sleep in my underwear.”

“Is that a problem?” Ani asked. Bakugo’s face twitched. “How do you sleep?”

“In my underwear,” he groused.

Shouto slid into bed, uninterested in Bakugo’s dilemma. “Do what you want, Bakugo.” He pulled Ani into him. “I’m going to sleep.”

Frustration bubbled through the air until Ani looked up and pulled back the covers on the other side of her. “Are you coming?”

Sleep was already pressing in on Shouto. On the edges of his consciousness he heard the rustling of fabric and the cocky comment. “Like what you see?”

“Yes, Katsuki. Did you need to hear that, too?”

Shouto chuckled, feeling the shiver he sent through Ani. “Of course he did.”

“Oi, you—”

“It means something coming from you,” Shouto said, clarifying it wasn’t meant as an insult.

Ani kissed his cheek and, as the bed shifted with more of Bakugo’s complaints, Ani whispered in his ear “I love you Sho.” She kissed his lips. “Thank you.”

“None of that while I’m here!”  

Shouto smirked. “Deal with it, Bakugo.”

“Thank you, too,” Ani said and Shouto cracked his eye open to see her give one to Bakugo.

He expected jealousy but none came.

Ani was still there, with him. Next to him. Her love for him wasn’t diminished by the new person.

“Good night, guys,” yawned Ani and she snuggled in, taking Shouto’s hand—presumably taking one of Bakugo’s, too.

From the other side came a quiet “night goldilocks. You, too, dumbass.”

Shouto smirked.

“Good night you two.”

Notes:

Whew, this took a little longer than I expected to bring the three of them together. Thanks for waiting!

 

Hope you're all healthy, wherever you are ❄️💗🔥

Chapter 114: Lucky

Notes:

*NSFW*

...whooops...forgot that tag...

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Good lord it was fucking hot.

Ani was sweltering sleeping between the two slabs of beef in her bed. She rolled, searching for some sort of relief and found the cold-half of her heat-sync boyfriend. She clutched it, pressing her whole self against his right side. In his sleep, Shouto seemed to sense what she needed and the temperature of that part of him began to steadily drop; Ani sighed and sank back into a restful sleep.

Even when Katsuki rolled over sending a new wave of heat rushing over the other two occupants, Ani remained peacefully asleep as Shouto’s temperature adjusted.

 

 

 

Shouto woke up with the gentle ease associated with Ani’s company just like he had the day before but there was a new, deep rumbling this morning.

Bakugo.

He looked over Ani’s form—that was clinging to his ice side giving him a soul-deep satisfaction—and saw Bakugo resting back-to-back against Ani. More like draped across her, snoring, and somehow still looking irritated with the world deep in sleep. Shouto’s arm, wrapped around Ani, was sandwiched between the two. He smiled at Ani’s peaceful expression and folded his left hand behind his head; there was plenty of work for all of them to do today but the bubble was too precious to burst. He was content to stay in this moment.

 

 

 

Ani rolled over and cracked her joints with a satisfying stretch and a gigantic yawn. When she realized the bed was empty, she sat up in search of Katsuki and Shouto. Someone was showering. The rest of the apartment was quiet; she tiptoed out of bed and looked around the main room. It was empty.

Her brow furrowed and she slowly turned to the bathroom. They couldn’t be...

The shower turned off and she dove back into bed but when the door opened a moment later only Shouto emerged with a towel wrapped around his waist.

“Hey,” she said sitting up and he smiled.

“Good morning.” He kneeled on the edge of the bed, leaning in to give her a kiss. “How did you sleep?”

“Wonderfully,” she said and chuckled. “Once I cooled off.”

Shouto smirked. “Happy to help.”

“Thank you,” she said with a grin. “Where’s Katsuki?”

“He’s out for a morning run.”

Ani watched Shouto’s glorious, naked form as he stepped into underwear. “Did he say if he was going to come back here or not?”

Shouto nodded, a light blush dusting his cheeks as he realized she was admiring him. “He’ll be coming back. He didn’t want to wake you and asked me, I assumed there wouldn’t be a problem with that?”

“No...that’s fine.” She hesitated. “Does it...”

“Does what?”

She searched his eyes “does it bother you...he and I being alone?”

Shouto’s eyes widened as he was cast back into a memory they shared that only he still had.

 

 

 

Shouto and Ani held hands as the road turned up into the mountains.

“Who’s house is this again?” Ani asked.

“Koda’s.”

“And he’s the one who can talk to animals, right?” When he nodded Ani said “makes sense.”

They passed a sign welcoming them to the Ou Mountains.

“I’m so excited,” cried Ani. “Four days on the lake! Mina said they have a giant rope swing and fires every night—oh and s’mores!” She sighed, already tasting the heavenly sweet, gooey dessert. “Thank you so much for bringing me.”

“Of course.” He smiled. “I wouldn’t come without you.” In truth, she was his only reason for coming. He’d always turned down the trip before...there had never been a reason to make it worth the drive. But the woman excitedly talking about all the things she was looking forward to...that was a worthwhile reason. He smiled, listening actively and noting all the things she mentioned, and by the time they turned onto the dirt driveway Shouto had absorbed her enthusiasm.

She was positively beaming as she took in the picturesque log-cabin. More of a log-mansion. When Koda said his family used this house for their reunions Shouto still had his doubts about how many people they could comfortably accommodate. There was no reason to worry. He found a spot and parked, tucked among the trees like the other cars and wondered if everyone else was already here. Ani seemed to buzz with energy as he parked.

“Ahhhhh! I can’t wait, I’m so excited!” She stunned him with a huge kiss and squeezed his hand.

“Come on,” he said with a deep chuckle. She practically leapt out of the car and met him at the trunk to help even though there was only one bag for each of them.

“AAAAAAAHHHHH!”

They both whipped around as a head of fluffy pink head of hair flew toward them.

“Mina!” Ani cried as she was scooped up and spun around. “I can’t believe you’re here already! I thought something came up?!”

“I was going to get a ride from Uraraka but she said Midoriya was going to be late and I was worried I wasn’t going to get here until tonight!” Mina stopped spinning Shouto’s girlfriend around as two more people walked up. “But I found a different ride!”

“Hi guys,” Ani said warmly as Mina threw her arms around Kirishima and Bakugo.

“Hey Shida.” Kirishima grinned and wrapped an arm around Mina’s waist as Bakugo shrugged the arm off with a roll of his eyes.

“’sup, goldilocks.”

“I’m surprised so many people are here already,” noted Ani, looking past the trio.

“It’s almost everyone at this point!” Mina said and grabbed Ani’s hand. In the moment before his girlfriend was dragged off, she took Shouto’s hand and dragged him along with her.

He didn’t mind.

They were pulled between the two men and Shouto didn’t miss the way Bakugo’s red eyes tracked Ani and then scowled jealously at Shouto as they passed.

After finding Bakugo in his clinic, getting stitches from Ani, it was clear the ash-blonde was still in love with his girlfriend. But Ani had been upfront with Bakugo that day...she wasn’t going to lead him on and Shouto was sure that being treated with that respect only strengthened the ash-blonde's feelings.

Shouto’s attention returned to the blonde ponytail swinging in front of him.

“Come on!” Mina called excitedly. “You’ve got to see this house!”

Almost like a small resort, the inside of the log-cabin-mansion was centered around an open living room, dining room, kitchen area with a small hallway off each side and a staircase leading upstairs to another hallway and more rooms. Pictures of the Koda family in various sizes and combinations hung from the walls. It really was an ideal place for reunions.

“Whoa...this place is amazing!” Ani crowed to Koda as he shyly greeted them. She took both hands back and pulled out a small gift, offering it to their host. “Thank you so much for having us!”

“My pleasure,” he accepted in his timid voice. “Please make yourselves at home and help yourself to anything you need while you’re here.” He gave a small gesture around. “Use any room that’s still available.”

“Thank you.” Ani bowed her head as someone called Koda away.

There were only a few rooms left and they settled in a room at the end of one of the halls. It didn’t matter to him; he would’ve been fine sleeping on the couch as long as it was with her. They went off in search of lunch and happily chatted with the group of their friends heading out to go swimming. After they finished eating, he and Ani decided to go on a hike...neither of them ready to join the raucous group in the lake. It ended up taking most of the afternoon but they reached a scenic overlook of the lake. Ani took a few pictures and convinced him to take a few with her which were some of his favorite couple-pictures.

By the time they hiked back down to the lake-house the sun was setting. Everyone had arrived by that time so they all ate dinner together and hung out for a while. Ani and Shouto promised a few people to show them the hike the next morning and they did. They went back up to the overlook with Tsu and her boyfriend, Shoji, and Tokoyami which took most of the morning.

“Thank you Shida-chan!” Dark Shadow said giving her a huge thumbs-up. It amused Shouto how the bird-spirit had taken to Ani, often coming out to talk to her.

“Of course,” she said with a smile. “I’m glad you liked it!”

Their small group walked back into the lake house clearing and saw a group of people swimming and hanging out at the edge of the lake again. Someone called for Shouto; they wanted him to make a few ice-slides.

“Alright, I’ll go change.” He took Ani’s hand, wanting a moment alone with her before they got sucked into more group activities.

“Me too.” She waved good-bye to Dark Shadow and went inside with Shouto, saying hi to the few people inside. Shouto didn’t notice who they were. He was only thinking about getting Ani alone.

He practically threw her inside the room before he locked the door and pounced. She welcomed him enthusiastically and their fevered kissing quickly moved to groping. They were pawing at each other until a knock came on their door and they froze.

“Ani!” It was Mina. “Are you going to come swim?!”

“Oi, numb-skull!” That angry voice was Bakugo. “They’re probably fucking around right now!”

“Nehhh....but I need a partner for—” she squealed with the sound of being dragged away and shouted one more thing from the end of the hallway. “You better come outside soon, Ani!”

Shouto felt Ani shaking beneath him and saw her trying not to laugh out loud.

“Sounds like we’re both needed out there now,” he sighed, leaning down to leave a deep mark on her neck that only made her laugh more.

“Okay, okay! Stop!”

He left her on the bed and began to change into his bathing suit, only realizing she hadn’t moved when he was about to step into his trunks. The part of her plump lips and tight cross of her legs made him pause.

He slowly smirked. “Something wrong?”

Her eyes flicked back up to his face and she slid off the bed onto her knees in front of him.

He had to brace himself on the wall from the sudden enthusiastic warmth of her mouth and covered his own to keep quiet. He had only been semi-erect when she started but he quickly hardened from the work of her tongue that knew exactly where and how to stroke him, flicking and sucking and slurping around his dick as he couldn’t hold back anymore and gently rolled his hips. She adjusted to match his movements and he came quickly, all the evidence swallowed away.

He was panting as she stood up and undressed...he watched her pull her own suit on, the purple one-piece covering everything. Half disappointing because all the fun was covered but he mostly approved...it meant she was going to be covered in front of everyone else, too.

“...are you going to get dressed?” She asked quietly and he realized he was still naked.

With a sigh he pulled up his trunks. “I guess.”

She smiled and hugged him; he could feel every shape under the tight fabric. “We’ll have more time later.”

“I hope so.” He kissed the top of her head and led her out of the room before he gave in to his depraved cravings.

Outside everyone was still having fun and Shouto was pulled away to make various ice-structures for people to use and Ani was happy to just sit, watching everyone from nearby.

Until a water-balloon hit her shoulder.

“Missed me!” Kaminari goaded Mina who was trying to hit him again as he ran past.

“Sorry Ani!” Mina shouted as she chased the electric-user.

“You’ll pay for that Mina!” Ani shouted back playfully as more people were joining the fight. Shoji was filling up multiple balloons as quickly as Yaoyorozu could make them. He tossed them around to people, Ani included, and Shouto watched as she was soon chasing after her pink-haired friend who was currently out of ammunition.

“Take this!”

Mina ducked, diving to the side as Ani watched her water balloon collide with a head of

Spikey

Ash-blonde

Hair.

Bakugo turned around, fuming and dripping with ice-cold water. “What the hell goldilocks?!” Ani covered her mouth, trying not to laugh as he lunged toward her. “You think that’s funny?!”

He grabbed her by the waist and launched them both up into the air over the lake.

Shouto saw Bakugo let go and drop Ani. He was already moving

Rushing

Toward Ani as she fell through the air arms and legs flailing wildy.

Bakugo must have realized her terror because he changed course and dove down, wrapping himself around her moments before colliding with the ice-ramp forming beneath them.

“Ani!” Shouto shouted and landed where they slid to a stop. He could see Ani was unconscious.

“Shida? Shida!” Bakugo realized it, too, and launched back to shore with Shouto right behind.

“What’s wrong?”

“What happened?!”

“Is she okay?”

“She hit her head on the ice,” Bakugo snarled at the group crowding around them as he set her down on the ground. “This is all your fault!”

Shouto ignored the blame and pushed past him, checking Ani’s pulse which was still beating. He scooped her up into his arms.

“You bastard! Where the fuck are you taking her?!” roared Bakugo, trying to block his path.

“Inside to call her brother,” seethed Shouto. “Unless you’ve magically become a doctor and can make sure she’s alright!”

“I’m fine.” The group froze, every pair of eyes shifting to Ani at the sound of her weak voice. “I just need to lie down.”

“Um...Todoroki-kun?” Koda’s shy voice cut through the crowd and everyone turned. “Can you unfreeze the lake, please, before any of the animals get hurt?”

Shouto’s jaw clenched knowing he’d have to put her down to do it...he froze the entire lake in his fear.

“I’ll take her,” Bakugo said, reaching out.

“Ooo, or I can do it!” Mineta cried.

“Not a chance!” Both men snarled; Bakugo popped an explosion off in the pervert’s face.

“Seriously,” Ani’s voice calmed them. She stepped out of his arms. “You guys are over reacting.”

Mina appeared at Ani’s side and draped an arm over her shoulder, helping her friend inside. Bakugo and Shouto exchanged glares before he went off to thaw the lake.

When he was done Bakugo was of course no where to be  seen. Shouto went inside and saw Mina getting water in the kitchen. He went straight to his room and sure enough...Bakugo was there with Ani.

“Well, don’t you know how to fucking swim?!”

“I know how,” she said brushing off his tone. “I just got scared—”

“Here you go!” Mina’s cheery voice made Shouto jump and he followed her into the room.

“How are you feeling?” He casually asked as if he hadn’t just been eavesdropping. Bakugo scowled and stormed out past him.

“Fine, thanks,” Ani said as she gratefully accepted the water from Mina. With a smile she asked “and the fish?”

He chuckled. “They’re fine.”

Mina gave Ani a hug and loving sentiment before leaving the couple alone. Shouto sat down next to her on the bed and cupped her face.

“I promise I’m fine.”

“I know, but I’m not.”

Ani pulled him into her arms and they laid down together. She wrapped herself around him. “Do you want to talk about it?”

He shook his head It was really just his adrenaline still pumping. Ani had told him about that particular weakness and it had been painful, downright terrifying watching her plummet like that. But she was safe. His concern was unreasonable...and after a while just being together his worries dissipated.

They joined back up with everyone and Bakugo kept his distance from Ani for the rest of the day until everyone was getting ready to make another fire. Bakugo was no where to be found.

“He’s in our room,” Kirishima said with a handful of logs as he passed Ani and Shouto.

“I think I need to go to talk to him,” Ani said to Shouto. “I think he’s assuming I’m upset with him.”

“Are you?”

She shook her head. “No. And I don‘t want him to torture himself over it.”

Shouto remembered overhearing how Bakugo had blamed himself for everything the day Ani gave him stitches and saw how much her forgiveness had meant. He knew if anyone could get the explosive pro to stop sulking and hangout, it would be Ani.

When she returned a short time later, she was alone.

“Everything okay?” He asked, pulling her against him.

“He thought I was scared of him,” she said and rested her chin on his chest so she was staring up at him. “And was beating himself up over it.”

Shouto hummed in acknowledgement.

She searched his expression. “Did I make you uncomfortable going in there alone to talk to him?”

“Not at all.”

“You’re sure?” She asked with endearing worry for his feelings.

There was no doubt in Shouto’s mind—or heart—because even as she went to check on someone else she was still aware of him. His wants. His needs. His thoughts and feelings. Her care for someone else didn’t erode her awareness of him.

And it was enough.

“Absolutely.”

 

 

So when she asked him a very similar question...he gave her the same answer.

“Not at all.”

She caught the note in his voice. “What are you thinking about?”

“How much I love you,” he said with a smile and cherished the one she gave him.

“I love you, Sho.” She finally dragged herself out of bed. “Heading into the office?”

He nodded and pulled her against him. “I have rounds tonight so I’ll be working late.”

“Will you come back here when you’re done?”

His eyes were cautious. “It will be really late.”

“I don't mind." She smiled sleepily.

“As long as you want, I will.”

Against his chest he felt her say “I’ll always want you around.”

“Then I’ll be here.”

She stood up on her toes to press her lips to his in a kiss that started as a simple parting but deepened, intensifying as his hands traced a familiar path around her back. Her fingers wound up into his hair. She could feel his enthusiasm building so when he pulled back she couldn’t help but sigh.

“You have to go, I know.”

“I’ll be back tonight.” He cupped her cheeks, kissing her forehead.

“Okay, be safe.”

“You, too. Let me know how the probation officer meeting goes?”

“Of course.”

She leaned out of her bedroom to watch his ridiculously attractive form leave and went to shower. It always went faster alone so she was done, towel wrapped around herself, when Katsuki came back.

She heard his considerately quiet steps and called out “hey, ‘Suki.”

“Half-and-half said it was fi—”

She looked up to see him pausing in her doorway and they both blushed. “Sorry. I just finished and I—”

He roughly cleared his throat. “Nope. That’s fine. I’m just gonna, go, yeah,” he said, awkwardly closing himself in the bathroom.

Ani looked around as if there was someone who could explain what just happened.

It was not the reaction she was expecting at all.

 

 

 

Katsuki smelled the smoke steaming from his own fists as he stood in a rigid state. He’d hoped to burn off some of the frustration on his run this morning after waking up to see her cozied up with the half-and-half practically wrapping herself around the icicle as if he wasn’t even there. But there was still too much pent-up inside himself.

So to hear her give him a short-name and then find her in only a goddamned towel reminded him that he gave the two a perfect opportunity to fuck while he was out and made him feel like he was going to explode.

Not being jealous was going to take some work.

He caught sight of himself in the mirror; it took only a moment to realize he’d just blown past the woman he loved in a goddamned towel while they were alone because he was jealous.

Like hell he was going to give up this chance.

He ripped the door open so hard the hinges shrieked and he burst into Ani’s room as she was pulling clothes from a drawer. She looked up at him with worry, brow furrowed as he went straight for her.

“Is everything—”

He pulled her in, cutting her off with his own lips.

If she cared that he was sweaty from his run, it didn’t show. She dropped whatever clothes she had been looking through and grabbed at his shoulders. Her hair was wet and cold as his fingers brushed it away from her face to cup her cheek; so soft. So eager. She kissed him back with such conviction that he knew...Pettiness, jealousy, insecurity...these things didn’t suit him. Never had. Never would.

He made the right decision.

In their haze of arousal neither of them heard the soft thud of fabric on the floor.

Katsuki’s hand dropped from her face to her neck down her suddenly bare back and their kissing paused; his hands didn't move. He kept her pressed tight against himself, nudity covered, as he searched her eyes.

“Tell me to look away and I will.”

She blinked and he expected to see her face flush with embarrassment but it didn’t. “What if I want you to see?”

He smirked. “I know I’m impatient but I can restrain myself so don’t force yourself. We don’t have to rush.”

“You...you don’t want to?”

He wondered if she could feel how much he wanted to from the bulge that was growing uncomfortably tight. “Not what I’m saying.”

“What are you worried about?” She asked earnestly.

“You lost most of your memory from the past few years, right?” He waited for her to nod. “And most of what’s left probably centers around the damn half-and-half. So, I’m saying you don’t have to rush for me.”

God this was the hardest conversation he’d had in a very long time and the tips of her fingers venturing into his hair were only making it worse.

“I don’t want you to have any regrets,” he added.

“When you look at me...I see there are a lot of things that I don’t remember...” she played with his hair, sending waves of tingles down his back. “But my heart is feeling what my brain can’t remember. I don’t think we’re moving too fast because it’s you. I trust you...that if that ever changes—though I don’t think it will—I know you’ll hear me. I trust you, Katsuki.”

Anger was his visceral reaction to everything so he assumed that’s what his face must hold right now....but despite however he looked...his heart was exploding, mind returning to a memory someone else had just thought of in this very same room a short time earlier.

 

 

 

Even though Bakugo had his headphones in, he could still hear Ani’s soft voice from the other side of the door.

“Bakugo?”

When he pretended he didn’t hear, hoping she would go away, she opened the door and leaned in.

He kept his eyes on the phone. “Whaddya want goldilocks.”

She closed the door behind herself and he gritted his teeth.

“We’re going to have a fire now. Kirishima said you were in here so I wasn’t sure if you knew...”

He couldn’t fight it anymore. He could feel her eyes on his face and his flicked up to hers. He stared, unable to guess what she was thinking.

“Why are you coming to get me?”

Her eyes shifted, brow furrowing. “Because I noticed you weren’t there...”

She was here alone in his room—door closed—and everyone else was outside. He was starting to get uncomfortable.

“Bakugo...what’s wrong?”

“I thought you were scared of me,” he noted irritably.

“Scared of you?” She looked genuinely confused. “Why would you think that?”

“Because that’s what you said earlier!” He was on his feet, standing toe-to-toe with her, but she didn’t flinch.

Her expression softened. “I’m sorry, Bakugo, I meant I was scared of drowning...it’s one of the very few things I can’t survive.”

He scowled. “What?”

“That’s why I got so scared and why Shouto froze the lake—not because of you Bakugo. I trust you. I just have thalassophobia.”

“What did you say?”

“I have thalassophobia? It means I’m scared of deep water—”

“No. Before that.”

She thought for a beat and he noticed the touch of pink across her face. “...I...trust you?”

His eyes tightened.

“I do,” she said and looked up at him with wide earnestness and he could feel it: this implicit trust she felt toward him. “I know I’m safe with you.”

Ffffffuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkk

It was like she found his metaphorical dick and stroked it. It made him feel exactly how he wanted to feel as a hero.

“Even though I know your feelings toward me, I know I can come here and talk to you alone because you’re not going to take advantage of me. I trust you.”

His throat, among something else, was getting uncomfortably tight as she kept talking.

“I told you...that day I gave you stitches...you’re more kind than you realize. And I do care about you, Bakugo, enough that I don’t want you to miss out on anything because of me. So if you’re uncomfortable coming out there and being around me I will respect that and I won’t bother you anymore.” She smiled though it didn’t have any heart. “Your happiness matters.”

He was speechless. A rare, uncomfortable situation that only she seemed to be capable of putting him in and all he wanted was to burn her words onto his skin. Because as much as she trusted him...he trusted her. He knew he could ask her to never talk to him again and she wouldn’t but that wasn’t what he wanted. Even if she never loved him back he loved her. And respected her. And cared for her enough to give her his heart...because even if she never loved him back...he trusted that she wouldn’t take advantage of him. He trusted her with his whole heart and all of his being.

She turned, misinterpreting his silence.

“Never."

She paused, turning to look at him over her shoulder. Fucking ethereally beautiful hair, eyes, skin, so close. His fingers burned to reach out.

Really, he deserved a gold medal in self-control at this point.

“What?” she asked.

“If my happiness is really important to you....” he clenched his fists, forcing the words out. “...No matter how worried you are about me...Never avoid me.”

She gulped and nodded once, then left without another word. He was fine with it. He needed a moment to clear his mind.

And...in reality...to rub one out before he went outside and joined the group.

 

 

 

 

She smiled at him gently, unphased by whatever angry expression she faced.

“I trust you, Katsuki.”

He knew she probably had more to say but he couldn’t take it anymore. He scooped her up off the floor and she wrapped her legs around him without hesitation. His hands explored her soft, naked body as she reclaimed his lips and swept his mouth with her tongue.

She broke apart only to whisper urgently. “Shower, now.”

His feet were moving before her lips were back on his and he set her down in the bathroom only so he could strip but he was glad he did. He got a chance to see her full nudity. It was clear her instinct was to cover herself from the twitch of her fingers and burn of her cheeks…and he didn’t want to make her feel awkward so he flipped the hem of his shirt up over his head as quickly as he could.

 

 

 

 

Ani meant everything she said.

Because this was Katsuki it didn’t feel like going too fast. It didn’t feel like they were skipping anything or missing some crucial experience building up to this. Her reflex was to cover herself when he set her down in the bathroom but she didn’t.

Because it was him.

And any self-consciousness she felt was forgotten when he pulled his shirt up over his head and she saw the rippling cords of muscles that banded across his body.

“What are you thinking?” He asked, his deep voice cutting through her hazy arousal.

She blinked and forced her eyes up to his face. “About how insanely lucky I am…” Goosebumps rolled across her skin, making her breath catch as he slowly lowered his pants but they didn’t look away from each other. She wanted to bask in his expression, remember it forever. “…to already be so lucky…and now to get to be with youtoo?”

He kicked the sweatpants off his ankles as he slowly brought their bare skin together.

“I’m not quite sure you’re real…” she whispered, feeling the obscene bands of muscles.

 

 

 

 

That was the best compliment he’d ever received.

 

 

 

 

They kissed, clutching at each other feeling everything that had happened between them, both remembered and forgotten. Her nipples were painfully hard, so when they dragged across the smooth skin over his hard pecs she whimpered into his mouth. He swallowed the sound, one hand held the back of her head trapping her in his kiss and the other propped her hips up on the edge of the counter. She lined him up and guided him in.

He broke the kiss with a rich groan over her shoulder as she kept her grip on his hips and sheathed him inside herself.

Her eyes rolled closed. So different.

So good.

“Please…’suki…” she pleaded quietly. “Move.”

“I don’t need a condom, do I?” he growled.

She shook her head and, after he took a steadying breath, he hooked her knee up on his hip and braced himself on the counter

And he began to thrust.

Ani sighed pleasurably and looped her arms around his neck. She traced his lips that were swollen and parted. The touch drew his eyes up to her face...red irises smoldered practically setting her on fire as each drag of his dick in and out made her sinfully aroused. She could feel every moment they spent together in the past through the intensity of his expression and the powerful snap of his hips.

“Say it.”

She panted. “W-what?”

He practically growled in her ear “my name.”

She moaned. “K-katsuki.”

His pace picked up and he started breathing heavily, the sound making Ani tighten around him which only increased the pressure on his cock.

She wanted more.

“Katsuki.”

It spurred him on more.

She was panting heavily with him now, moans and soft cries weaving with his name

Katsuki

Katsuki

Katsuki

She was starting to burn but not from friction; he was so lost in pleasure, getting so close to his release that his control was starting to slip. His palms were igniting miniscule explosions and, somehow, the small pops of fire across her skin only sharpened her mind. The pain intensified her pleasure and she bit his shoulder. He let out a carnal snarl fucking her even faster making her skin literally fizzle until her head rolled back.

“Oh, ‘Sukiiiii.”

Her cunt spasmed, wrenching down on him in an intense orgasm that quickly threw him over the edge, too, firing what felt like lava inside of her.

They panted, foreheads pressed together, and slowly descended. She touched his lips again and he kissed her fingertips.

“I love you,” murmured Ani and Katsuki grinned.

“Love you, too, goldilocks.”

She chuckled and kissed him; he pulled out and she crossed her legs, unwilling to let the heat fall out of her. He traced her jaw with impossibly light kisses to her ear and asked with a whisper…

“Shower with me.”

She laughed easily and bit her lip, trying to contain the huge smile as she nodded. He scooped her up off the counter and she threw her arms around him, blushing under the grin on his face.

They took their time getting clean…cleaning each other…with a new-found appreciation of the human anatomy. The touches were slow, gentle, and Katsuki saw the marks where he singed her skin.

He apologized gruffly as they stepped out of the shower and each dried off but she cupped his face and stroked his cheek with her thumb.

“It’s okay.” She made him look at her eyes first and then showed him the burns under the towel that were already pink. “See?”

Katsuki pursed his lips. “Half-and-half will give me a lot of shit if he ever finds out about this.”

“Why?” Ani asked with a laugh.

“He told me he lost control a few times.”

She narrowed her eyes with a playful smirk. “And let me guess…you bragged that you’d take better care of me?”

“Tch.”

She played with his wet hair and his sour expression slowly dissipated. “I can handle it. I was kind of made to handle it…rough.”

His eyes sparked with a dangerous smirk. “Is that so…”

“Not like that.” She rolled her eyes. “I’m not a masochist.”

“Mhmm.” He slowly leaned in making her gulp but she didn’t back away. “Have you ever tested that?”

“N-no.”

His eyes trailed up and down her form. “Maybe you’d like it.”

“Maybe with you…” she admitted making him speechless and smiling sheepishly. “I’d at least try it.”

“You didn’t like it with the half-and-half?”

“He has a name,” Ani said flatly.

“Yeah, but I like my name for him better. And you’re avoiding the question.”

She blushed lightly and shrugged. “If I turned out to be into it, I would probably like it with him, too, but I don’t remember him ever…losing control…with me. So I don’t know.”

Katsuki smirked, giving her ass a squeeze as he walked around her and whispered “something to look forward to finding out together, then, I guess.”

She lingered in the bathroom for a moment to appreciate the deep ache between her legs at his words. His tone.

Him.

Notes:

Did those flashbacks make sense? Lmk if I need to clarify, been fighting a cold.

 

Stay healthy and happy 😷🥂 especially anyone stuck in isolation. We're all in this together <3

Chapter 115: Pre-Approved Guest

Notes:

*NSFW*

 

I'm feeling better! Was just a cold
It's also late and I'm tired but wanted to get something out to all of you. Stay happy, healthy, and safe wherever you are <3

Chapter Text

“Hey.” Ani smiled as she answered Shouto’s call.

Sorry I missed you before.”

“That’s okay; Dojire said you were in a meeting.”

I was. Were you calling about your meeting with the probation officer?

“Mhmm.” She leaned back in her chair and stretched away from her computer and the class proposal.

How did it go?

“It went well! She liked my ideas. She’s not sure about UA being involved yet, though, since it’s supposed to be my reparation to the public. She didn’t completely discount it, she wants to talk to Nezu first.”

That’s great...I’m glad to hear it.”

She could practically feel the smile in his voice. “Thanks, me too. How’s work going?”

Fine...although I miss my favorite employee.”

“Oh yeah?...” she was about to play along until she heard Dojire’s voice in the background and Shouto scoffed under his breath. “Duty calls?”

As always,” he sighed. “I’m sorry, Ani. I’ll see you tonight?”

“Yes, please...do you mind, Katsuki will be here, too?”

That’s fine. I love you."

“Love you, too.” She relaxed knowing he was still going to be coming. And there had been no hesitation in his voice when she mentioned it; that was reassuring. She settled back into her work for a short time until someone knocked on her door.

She opened it to find Midnight, Ectoplasm, and Lemillion all dressed in their hero costumes. “Hi guys...everything okay?”

“Yes.” Midnight said with a wink. “We’re just going to greet the students as they move back into their dorms. We thought you might want to come, too, and meet some of them and their families.”

She remembered Nezu’s words from their meeting. She was wary from the idea of confrontation but there was always the chance if they met her in a more relaxed setting, perhaps issues could be flushed out now.

“That would be great, thanks.” She glanced over her shoulder. “I need a minute to save my work. Should I meet you somewhere?”

“We’ll wait,” offered Midnight.

“Thanks!” Ani quickly closed her door and saved her work; she grimaced at her reflection in the dark screen as the laptop shut down. She dashed to her room and quickly changed into a more respectable navy top and white cardigan over her jeans and grabbed her phone, keys.

“Thank you for waiting,” she said, closing the door behind her.

“Not a problem.” Lemillion gave her a huge thumbs up. “...you changed?”

She nodded and followed them to the elevator. “You all look so professional in your hero costumes but I don’t have one.”

“Mmm, do you want one?” Midnight asked.

“Not particularly. Unless Nezu thinks I should.” Ani shrugged as they rode down. “I’m not a hero.”

Lemillion, with animated gestures disagreed. “That depends on who you ask. There are a lot of people, especially us here at school, that consider you very much a hero.”

Midnight nodded in support.

Ani looked away. “Oh...well...thank you.”

She walked with them across campus to the lanes of student housing and did her best to mingle with families and students; her fellow UA staff members mercifully introduced her as she made her way through the different dorms. There were many indifferent, polite parents and only a few that gave disapproving looks, some were grateful she took up the mantle for Recovery Girl so UA could continue their work. But almost all of them asked about her arrest.

Their questions ranged from genuine curiosity to hostile accusation and she did her best to answer them all. It was taxing.

She found herself repeating the same explanations over and over again since the details of what she’d done had not been released to the public. She even had to dispel rumors that she murdered Endeavor.

Those were the hardest questions to answer and she was glad Shouto wasn’t around to hear them. When the last few students settled in, the sun had set.

She was exhausted.

“You did great!” Lemillion tried to reassure her as she walked back to the dorm with him and Midnight.

“Thanks,” she sighed. “I appreciate you guys asking me to come with you. It was rough...but I’m glad I was there.”

“Me too.” Midnight cupped her cheeks. “So much youth. I can’t wait to nurture all these little saplings.”

“Have you heard who will be...” Ani cleared her throat. “Who the new teacher will be? ...In the open position?”

“Nehh, Nezu hasn’t told us yet,” Ectoplasm said from behind them. “He might be trying to find our replacements, too.”

“Your replacements?” Ani asked, glancing back at him.

Hound Dog, walking with Ectoplasm, growled “we’re retiring at the end of next semester.”

“Really?”

“It’s time,” Midnight commented. “There’s a fresh stock of younger heroes, more experienced now that can teach with more energy than we can.”

“It’s part of why Nezu wanted to hire you so badly,” Lemillion chimed in. “We’re the start of UA’s next generation of educators!” He threw a fist in the air.

“Besides, I can’t wait to spend more time having fun.” Ectoplasm made a clone of himself and they started singing together, swaying in step as the group came up to the staff housing.

Ani laughed before she could get too lost in her thoughts.

“Wait up, goldilocks!”

The whole group paused just inside the building and looked back to see Katsuki in a jog to catch up with them.

“How did you get on campus, ruffian?” Houng Dog asked, meeting him at the door.

“Top Hero? Alumni?” Katsuki grinned. “Pre-approved guest?”

“He’s my guest,” Ani said, growing uncomfortable with all the eyes falling on her. Her heart was pounding as she admitted “h-he’s with Shouto and I.”

“With you?” Lemillion asked.

Midnight purred, hands starting to wander over herself. "Like with you, with you?”

Katsuki wore his most prideful, smug grin as he came over to Ani and wrapped an arm around her, kissing her hair. “Yeah.”

She turned all shades of red looking anywhere but at her colleagues.

“Ooo, I didn’t realize you were open to play,” Midnight said wantonly at the same time as Lemillion asked

“All three of you?”

“We’re not!” barked Katsuki who didn’t phase his old teacher. She was far too used to his animosity. “This isn’t a goddamned club!”

“Oh god,” Ani groaned, forcing herself to look at them. “After everything the three of us have been through together we’re just—” she reached up to cover Katsuki’s mouth as he prepared to yell more “—really close. I hope none of this makes you uncomfortable.”

She cupped the back of his head to give herself the leverage she needed to keep his mouth covered despite his angry licking.

“Why should it matter to us?” Hound Dog growled dismissively as the elevator doors opened. Ectoplasm waved her off, too.

“Do what you want, kids.”

Midnight took Lemillion’s arm and dragged him backward as he was still clearly trying to puzzle the situation out. “Enjoy yourself, lucky girl,” she said with a wink. “Let me know if that club ever opens up.”

Ani smiled, relieved at their mostly indifferent reactions and once they were alone in the lobby she finally pulled her hand away dripping with Katsuki’s spit.

“Why did you keep licking me?” she chided him.

“You were supposed to let go.”

“I’ve been covered in worse bodily fluids than that.” She rolled her eyes and wiped her hand on his shirt.

“Oi! You!” He was about to rage but stopped in his tracks as she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him in for a kiss. His curled fingers relaxed and fell around the curve of her waist.

“Hi,” she said resting her forehead on his. “It’s nice to see you.”

“Nice t’ see you too...” he muttered, looking away moodily. He shoved his hands into his pockets when she turned to press the elevator call button.

“Katsuki? What’s wrong?”

“Why’d you phrase it like that?”

She could feel the confusion across her features. “Phrase what?”

“Us being together.”

The elevator dinged and Ani stepped in as worry started to blossom in her mind. “Oh.” Was he upset because she said they were together? “I’m sorry Katsuki, I shouldn’t have assumed we were—that you would—”

We are.” He caged her in as the doors closed and she nearly melted from the look in his eye. “But the half-and-half and I are not.”

It clicked. “Ah. I did that selfishly,” she grimaced. “I didn’t want rumors to go around that Shouto was being duped.”

Katuski exhaled irritably through flared nostrils. “Think he’ll be upset if rumors start that he’s with me?”

“Will you?”

He snorted. “I don’t give a shit about what people say.”

“Then…you’re not upset?” She smiled with innocent, sheepish hope and he rolled his eyes, grabbing her hand and pulling her out of the elevator.

“You’re lucky I love you.”

A high-pitched squeal made them jump at Ani's door. They whipped around to see Midnight hanging off her doorframe.

“You’re so cuute together!” She winked. “Feel free to be even louder than you were this morning!”

“Ohmygod” Ani's face was beet red and she dashed into her apartment. Katsuki was laughing as he followed and locked her in.

“You heard her…” he said as he prowled forward.

“I-I need to have something to eat first!” Ani shouted as she ran away and he chased her down, pouncing on top of her onto the couch. She was breathing heavily, the sound making him visibily aroused. “After dinner?”

He slowly leaned down to press his lips to hers. She gave in, running her fingers through his hair that, despite it’s spikey appearance, was sinfully fluffy.

“If you keep touching me, I won’t be able to wait.”

She smiled and withdrew her digits. “Okay.”

He rolled off of her onto the floor, sulking, and asked “what’s for dinner?”

Ani shrugged. “I don’t know…are there any leftovers?”

“Leftovers? After the way you are last night?”

She laughed, stepping over him and going to the fridge. “I can’t help it! Aww…not a scrap.”

“Told you. So what are you making me?”

“Nothing, if you want to live.” When he cocked an eyebrow at her she snorted and said “I am a horrible cook.”

“Seriously? But I’ve had some of the stuff you’ve brought to parties…”

“Yeah.” Ani grinned. “I’m sure that was all Shouto.”

Katuski sat up with an incredulous glower. “You’re kidding.” She shook her head; he scoffed. “Well, damn. Bastard can cook. Alright, me see.”

She felt his hands snake around her as he leaned in over her shoulder to look in the fridge. “What?

“Mnnn, you don’t have any food!”

“I just moved in last weekend and y’know…some stuff has kind of happened since then?”

He chuckled in her ear. “Want to go out to dinner with me?”

“Um…I don’t want rumors to spread that will hurt Shouto’s reputation.” She grimaced apologetically. “Not until we’ve all had a chance to talk about it at least.”

He began kissing her neck with an irritated growl. “Why didn’t we talk about it yesterday then?”

She moaned lightly, tilting her neck to the side “I-I don’t know…I just wanted to enjoy being all together our first night.”

His lips lingered longer and longer each time as his hands migrated to the hem of her jeans. “And what do you want to enjoy tonight?”

She took a shaky breath…he opened her jeans and his fingers slipped inside her underwear. The moment his fingers touched her silk folds she gasped and gripped the still-open refrigerator.

“Ooh, Katsuki…”

In her ear he growled “fuck, goldilocks. You sure you don’t wanna mess around?”

She bit her lips and whimpered; she could feel herself growing slick as he traced the outside of her hole. “N-no…”

“No, what?” He teased the tip of his finger.

“I…I…” she was already breathless, face flushed.

He nipped her ear lobe. “I guess you’re too hungry.”

He started to pull his hand away but she clutched his wrist. “Don’t stop!” She caught his eye from the corner of her own and begged “please.”

A slow, victorious grin spread across his face. He slammed the fridge closed and backed-up, dragging her by the hand in her pants, to the couch. She fell back onto his lap and could feel his massive erection pressing into her butt as his fingers returned to her slit and she squirmed.

“Since you like to talk to much…I want to hear you. And if you stop, I stop.”

“Katsuki that’s so cruel—ahh!”

He slipped two of his girthy fingers right into her. “Already? Geez goldilocks…”

“I…I just don’t know what to talk about…”

He dragged his fingers in and out coating them in the copious amounts of arousal inside her. “Tell me what you feel.”

“I-I feel good…” she moaned through a bit lip. “Y-your fingers are so—unh!—so big and s-strong. Hmnnn, I like how y-you're touching me…”

Her hips were circling with his languid strokes. “What else do you like about me?”

“Ohhh…I…I like your voice.” He started picking up his pace. “I like your eyes…and your h-hair—ooh!—and…your…” her chest was heaving “your muscles.” She whined “god, 'Suki, you’re so hot!”

His fingers were rapidly plunging in and out of her and his nitroglycerin sweat was mixing with her juices. She was tingling from the inside out.

“Oh! Oh! 'Suki, don’t stop! Please! Ppleeaase! Don’t! Stop!”

He curled his fingers.

“Right! There!” Her orgasm snapped, sending crackling waves of fire across her skin as her back arched and tightened the muscles around her clit. More Sparks fizzled through her veins. “Mnhhh! ‘Suki!”

He was breathing heavily in her ear. “Goddamn, Ani. You’re squeezing me so tight.”

Her back un-arched and she settled into his arms. He withdrew his fingers, leaving her surprisingly empty and sucked his fingers clean.

“Holy shit,” she whispered breathily and slid off his lap.

His red eyes narrowed as she sank to her knees on the couch in front of him and she kept her eyes on him, unbuckling his pants.

“Take off your shirt.”

She blushed and did as he asked, cold air kissing her skin leaving goosebumps. Her hands returned to his boxers but he gruffly said “your bra, too.”

“Yes, ‘suki.”

A deep sound reverberated in his chest. She lowered her eyes and traced her fingertips up the middle of her chest, along the top of the cup and up her strap to her shoulders. She could feel his hot gaze on her body as she slipped the straps off and pushed her breasts together to reach behind herself and unclasp.

Once she was fully exposed she ran her hands up his legs back to his crotch and slowly pulled his boxers and pants down. His cock sprung free and she licked her lips, kissing the angry, swollen tip. Katsuki ran his fingers through her hair.

“You’re so beautiful.”

She smirked. “You’re only saying that because I’m about to put your dick in my mouth.”

“That’s certainly a nice detail…” he hummed as she wrapped her warm, moist mouth around him. “But it’s not just that.”

She explored every inch of him with her tongue and his hand fell limply to the couch. “You…” he was losing breath quickly. “You’re so…”

She was holding her breath, stifling her gag reflex to take him as deeply as she could and swallowed.

“Fuck.”

Her throat clenched around his dick and he moaned, head falling back, as she cupped his balls. Needing a breath, she pulled him out of her throat but kept sucking on him while she caught her breath and did it again.

She popped his spit-covered dick out of her mouth and rubbed it between her tits, swirling it over one nipple, then the other. He groaned wantonly and she deep-throated him enthusiastically feeling aroused again. She whimpered and hollowed out her cheeks swallowing the boiling cum spurting out of his dick. She leaned back and licked her lips, kept her hands on his legs.

“Are you okay?” She asked. She was cold and shivered but there was a look on his face she didn’t understand.

He was scrutinizing her.

“Why?”

“Why what?” She blinked.

He leaned forward, alternating the eye of hers into which he was staring, and eventually stroked her cheek.

In the time she had been waiting he hadn’t looked at her half-naked body once. He was lost deep in thought but in a way that didn’t make her feel awkward. “What are you thinking?”

“I love you, Ani.”

She smiled. “I love you, too, Katsuki.”

He tucked himself away while she put her bra back on but he picked her up and pulled her into his lap before she put her shirt on.

Her stomach growled.

“I’ll go get dinner in a minute,” he whispered huskily.

She nuzzled his neck. “I don’t mind. It’s nice to be in your arms.” After a soft, quiet moment she asked “Katsuki…?”

He grunted in acknowledgement.

“What is this?” She curled up against him. “I mean…what’s our relationship?”

“What do you want it to be?”

She rested her palm on his chest, feeling his heartbeat. “I want it to be something serious.”

“Then it is.”

“Exclusively?”  

He snickered. “For me or for you?”

“I…” Her heart sank. “I know I’m selfish…”

“Don’t worry, goldilocks. You’re all there is for me.” He hugged her tightly and whispered “and you?…You’re allowed to be selfish.”

She hid her face against his neck hoping he wouldn’t feel the tears falling. “Thanks.”

He tilted her head up, wiping away the tears, and gently kissed her. With a smirk he said “alright, goldilocks. Enough sap for now. What do you want for dinner?”

Chapter 116: Conversation

Chapter Text

“Are you coming to bed?” Katsuki asked from the doorway of Ani's bedroom.  

She looked up from her laptop. “Will you be hurt if I don’t?”  

“Are you doing it to avoid me?” 

She shook her head. “I want to keep working and wait up for Shouto.” 

Katsuki's brow furrowed. “Are you worried about the half-and-half?” 

“I am. I miss him.” She rubbed her eyes and rested her head in her hands. “No offense.” 

“None taken.” He crossed his arms. “Apples and oranges, goldilocks. I get it.” 

“Thanks,” she huffed in relief and smiled. “Get some sleep.” 

He complied and she was soon working to the gentle rhythm of his deep, sleeping breaths. It was easy to lose herself in the challenging work of preparing a class, so easy that she had lost track of time until her door quietly opened.  

“Sho,” she said and he paused, surprised to see her still awake.  

He closed the door behind himself and took her in his arms. “Ani...you’re still up?”  

“Mhmm,” she sighed into him. He felt like home. “I wanted to see you.”  

He didn’t even reprimand her; he just held her tighter. “I'm glad you did.”  

“How were rounds?” She asked, leading him to the couch. She listened as he recounted his mostly uneventful day—except for the last hour when he stopped a robbery and dispelled a group of drunk teenagers. She told him about her day, only opening up about Katsuki when he encouraged her. “Are you still feeling fine about all of this?”  

He hunched forward, resting his forehead in his hands. “I am.”  

“Sho...” she crouched on the floor in front of him, sensing there was more he wasn’t saying. The two glowing colors of his eyes had trouble meeting hers. “What are you really feeling?”  

“I...” The words caught in his throat and Ani’s pulse raced as she waited. “I’m glad you have someone else to love you.”  

“What?” Ani gasped, fearing the worst.  

His breathing became labored. “I’m not okay, Ani,” he murmured roughly. “I could barely make it through today.”  

She set her self-doubt and fear aside, tapping into a deep vein of patience so she didn’t overload him with questions.  

“I keep feeling the disgusting abuse...the helplessness...” He covered his eyes and Ani was reminded of everything he had been put through. “I don’t want anyone to ever have to feel those things.” He took a shaky breath and her soul hollowed out for him. “I’m broken, Ani...And I don’t think I’ll be right again for a long time.”  

“Of course you won’t be, dumbass.” Ani’s gaze sliced across the room to Katsuki who was emerging from her dark bedroom. “You wouldn’t be human if you could come out of that without being a little fucked up—”  

“—Katsuki!—” 

but .” He stopped Ani with a flat glance, leaning on the kitchen counter. “It doesn’t mean you’re broken.”  

Shouto slowly uncovered his face, listening with his eyes still on the floor.

“We all get fucked up. Part of being a hero.” Katsuki was staring at the table; Ani held her breath, not expecting words like this. “What matters is you’re still out there trying to protect other people. If you were broken, you couldn’t do that. How much shit had you been through at the hands of a so-called-hero before you even crossed your first villain? And you still wanted to go to UA and help other people?” He scoffed, letting his words sink in. “Shit happens. People get hurt. You’re only broken if you let it stop you.”  

Ani felt a tear drip down her cheek as she listened and looked between them. Quiet fell over the small apartment.  

Shouto’s eyes rose to his fellow pro. “Thank you,” he said roughly in barely more than a whisper.  

Katsuki smirked, pushing off the counter. “Just making sure you’re at your best when I overtake you and become number one.”  

“Of course you are,” snorted Shouto with the shake of his head and Katsuki left the two of them alone. Shouto pulled Ani into his lap. “Thank you, too.”  

“I didn’t do anything,” she whispered and rested against him.  

She felt him kiss the top of her head and murmured “you’ve done more than you realize.”  

 

 

 

 

 

Ani’s alarm went off early the next morning and both pro heroes grumpily protested the piercing sound.  

“Ah—sorry guys!” Ani rolled over Shouto and climbed out of bed, turning off the alarm. Katsuki sat up, too. “You don’t have to get up! I know it’s early...”  

Katsuki snickered. "Like I could sleep with this chainsaw.” Shouto had already fallen back asleep on his stomach, sheet rising and falling with his snores.  

Ani smiled. “He worked late.” She lightly kissed his cheek and he didn’t even stir. “And he’s been through a lot.”  

Katsuki rolled his eyes. “Yeah, yeah. I’m going to go for a run and make sure plain face’s agency hasn’t burned to the ground.”  

“Have a good day, I’ll see you later.” She gave him a peck and he grabbed her butt. “You’re obnoxious. Go exercise, Mr. Bakugo.”  

“Ohohoo, don’t start that,” he growled and started to lunge for her but she held up her hands and a finger to her lips, pointing to Shouto. He rolled his eyes again. “Fine.”  

She smiled as he left sulkily and got herself ready for her first day of work: comfortable but professional flats, navy pencil skirt, and a coral-colored top. She pulled out her white medical coat from the small closet and considered the potential challenges of her first day...she already knew the teachers had substantial challenges for the students’ first day back. Maneuverability was going to be a necessity. She changed into a pair of dress pants and slid into the coat.  

The embroidery of her name brought a smile to her face and she couldn’t help take a selfie with it visible. She sent it to Aino.  

 

First day of work! I feel so fancy   

 

As she was warming her breakfast, she got his response.  

 

Good luck, lol. Probably won’t stay white for long at that insane school.   

 

She smiled. Yeah. I’ll give you a status update at the end of the week 😛 How are you?   

 

Fine, thanks. Hana says hi  

 

Ani squealed out loud to herself at the table as she read that. YOU’RE BACK TOGETHER?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!   

 

Yes.   

 

AND YOU DIDN’T TELL ME?!   

 

-_-  

 

Haha alright, I can take the hint. We’ll catch up soon   

 

The lack of response was confirmation that he and Hana were indeed together in that very moment and Ani felt a warm glow of happiness for her older brother. He’d been through a lot, too, and Ani was glad there was someone caring for him.  

Before she left for the infirmary she crouched by the bed, brushing the hair from Shouto’s face and he mumbled incoherently.  

“I love you, Sho," she whispered.

She kissed his slack cheek and heard him whisper as she left the room “love you...Ani...”  

Ani ran across campus as the downpour soaked her white coat; she was drenched, hair dripping, by the time she made it into her office. A quick towel and braid later and the homeroom bell rang. Her first official day as school nurse had begun!  

The morning was mostly quiet with the busy work of reviewing student files just as her replacements had done for the heroes at the Todoroki Agency. But the highlight of her morning came with a familiar voice.  

“Auntie?”  

Ani spun around and smiled. “Tashkei! I didn’t realize you were still a student here. I didn’t see you yesterday.”  

Her boyfriend’s oldest nephew gave her a sad smile. “Mom asked me to stay at home until after we put gramps to rest tomorrow.”  

“I understand,” she said kindly. “How is she doing?”  

He sighed, rubbing the back of her neck. “She’s fine. I mean, she’s sad, but you know her. She’s more worried about the rest of us than anything else.”  

Ani nodded. “That sounds like her. And your brothers?”  

“They’re fine. Wei is real fu—friggin' annoying. He’s applying to UA, now.”  

“Wow...I bet you’re happy you'll graduate before he starts.”  

Tashkei snorted. “If he gets in. He’s got a really shi—sucky attitude.”  

Ani wanted to remind Tashkei that he once had an attitude, too, but didn’t. There was so much she couldn’t remember and Tashkei had clearly grown up since her last memory of him.  

“Well, I’m guessing you didn’t come here just to catch up."  

“No, I didn’t...” He looked uncomfortable for a moment. “I need to ask you for a favor...But I need you not to say anything to my mom...or Uncle Sho...” 

“Okay,” she waited cautiously.  

“Do you...does the nurse’s office have any condoms?”  

Ani restrained her brow that wanted to fly up in surprise. “We do.” She got some out of the supply closet and handed him a small bundle.  

"Thanks..." He took them defensively as if she was going to pester him with questions. When she didn’t, he remained in her office watching her with narrowed eyes. “Why are you being so cool about this?”  

Ani leaned back in her chair. “Because you’re being responsible. As your school nurse and as your uncle’s girlfriend, I’m happy enough to know that alone.”  

“But you...you don’t want to like ask me a bunch of questions about who it is?” He sat down into one of the chairs across from her desk. “And for how long?”  

“Do you want me to ask about those things?”  

“No!”  

She stifled a smile. “Then I don’t need to know. Though I'm here if that changes.” She folded her hands and leaned on her elbows. “And I don’t know if your uncle would ever come right out and say it, but he’s there if you ever need someone to talk to. I mean, I am, too, of course—”  

“Hehe, yeah.” Tashkei smiled awkwardly.  

“But I know it’s different.” finished Ani. She thought for a moment. “This is going to be your last year here...isn’t it?”  

He nodded. “It went by so fast.”  

“I’m sure it did.” She smiled kindly and gestured to the door. “Get out there with your friends and enjoy it.”  

“Thanks,” he said with a small bow as he stood up. “And, you won’t say anything to them, right?”  

She measured his expression. “Not unless I think you’re in danger.”  

He beamed. “Not in the least.” And dashed out of the infirmary.  

Ani let her laugh out once he was gone and shook her head. She went back to work without interruption until the chime for lunch rang out. She was surprised the morning was already over. 

She checked her phone and saw two messages from Katsuki:  

 

Fucking rain. And your fucking boyfriend!   

 

Serously ?! How long does it fucking take him to shower?!   

 

Followed by one from Shouto that made her laugh out loud.  

 

I don’t know how you have the patience for that rabid animal  

 

“What’s so funny?” Lemillion asked, stepping in with a purple-haired man Ani had never met before.  

“Nothing,” she said still smiling and rose from her chair. “Just a good first day so far.”  

Lemillion smiled with her. “Glad to hear it. Since we’re all on lunch break I wanted to invite you to eat with us.” He gestured to the man beside him staring at Ani with deep bags under his eyes. “Our newest faculty member! Nurse Shida this is Shinsou Hitoshi, the pro-hero Vocalatile.”  

“Nice to meet you Vocali-…?” Ani tried to pronounce it and the man smirked.  

"Vocal-atile. Think ‘vocal’ and ‘volatile’ but please, just call me Shinsou, Nurse Shida.”  

“Vocalatile?” She said and smiled when he nodded. She gave a small bow of her head. “Please just call me Shida. I’d say welcome to the team but I just started, too.”  

“Oh?” Shinsou prompted and Ani closed the office door behind herself as she followed them out into the hall.  

“Well, technically my first day was last week but it was...kind of...”  

“Shida was a major player in the Musutafu attack last week,” interjected Lemillion.  

Shinsou’s purple brow raised, stretching the bags under his eyes. “Really?”  

“I wouldn’t say major.” She grimaced.  

“She’s just being modest.” Lemillion grinned. “She’s the one who killed Shigaraki and Kurogiri, Twice, and Odysseus.”  

From the look on the purple-haired pro’s face he was familiar with all of these names but he didn’t say anything. He surveyed Ani’s face as she looked away.  

“What do you think, guys?” Lemillion asked. “Should we eat in the faculty room or the cafeteria?”  

“Where do you normally eat?” Ani asked.  

Lemillion scratched his head. “The faculty didn’t really eat together a whole lot last semester so I thought we could start a new tradition.”  

“For the new generation of UA educators?” asked Ani with a dry playfulness.  

“Exactly!” Lemillion beamed.  

It was hard not to smile around Lemillion; his disposition was contagious and Ani gave a small laugh. “Okay, okay. I have to at least get food from the cafeteria and then I don't care. I’ll let you guys pick, since I don’t know the campus as well as the two of you.”  

“You weren’t a student here?” Shinsou asked.  

Ani shook her head. "I have a medical background. I'm not a—"

“Doesn’t mean you’re not a hero!” Lemillion insisted brightly as he started striding away. Shinsou and Ani walked after him.  

“Sounds like you’ve had this conversation with him before,” prompted Shinsou.  

“Only once, yesterday.”  

“And what happened?”  

Ani waved light-heartedly. “I just mentioned that I don’t have a hero name or costume like the other faculty here and he and I—” she gestured with her chin to the hero ahead of them “—have different opinions on whether or not I’m an actual hero.”  

“What do you think?” asked Shinsou holding the door open to a large hallway with growing noise.  

Ani started to feel self-conscious talking about it as students began milling about. “I’m not sure,” she said quietly and Shinsou didn’t press the topic. He and Lemillion greeted students as they passed and Ani searched for familiar faces but there were so many students she had not met yet. She was overwhelmed by the time they reached the cafeteria which was packed. She recognized a few faces in the older students Midnight and Ectoplasm had introduced her to; she even caught sight of Tashkei and her heart warmed at the sight of him with his friends. The entire time she was in the cafeteria she felt uneasy as if someone was watching her closely...she shook off the unreasonably self-conscious feeling.  

Once her colleagues had their lunches, she followed them to a teacher's lounge with an incredible view of musutafu.  

“Wow, this amazing!” she said with a huge smile. “Good choice Lemillion!”  

“I’m glad you like it.” He took a seat on one end of the homey green couch and Ani took the other, closest to the window; Shinsou pulled up a chair across from them.  

“Ohmygod,” Ani said covering her mouthful of food. “This is amazing, too.” Lemillion grinned and Shinsou smirked; Ani tried not to feel self-conscious again. She was sure there were many more things she didn’t know about yet and was only going to keep being surprised.  

“Shida, you said you had a medical background...” said Shinsou.  

Ani nodded. “I used to be a nurse in Dagoben. And you both were professional heroes before this?”  

They both nodded; Lemillion added “ever since I graduated UA. I had my own agency for a long time and miss it sometimes...but I was able to become who I am because of my mentor and I decided I wanted to try to help others like he helped me.”  

“Who was your mentor?”  

“His name was Sir Nighteye.” Lemillion shared his story with Ani and Shinsou. His time in work study, the molding and shaping Sir Nighteye had given him, all the way up through how he lost his quirk and got it back.  

Ani was speechless. “And...that little girl...?”  

“She grew up to be an incredible person.” Lemillion’s eyes unfocused with the pride of an older sibling. “She wanted to save others after everything she went through and she became a pro-hero, too. She’s a sidekick at Deku’s agency.”  

Ani’s expression softened. “She must be an incredible person.” The chime rang signaling the end of their lunch. “Dang it. I’m sorry I didn’t get to hear about your experiences, Shinsou.”  

“Nor I, yours. Perhaps tomorrow,” replied Shinsou. 

“Hehe, sorry guys,” Lemillion said with a sheepish grin as they all left the lounge. “I didn’t mean to monopolize the conversation.”  

“You didn’t!” reassured Ani. “I asked, and I appreciate you sharing all of that with us. Have a good rest of your day, guys!” She waved and hustled off in the opposite direction of the classrooms to observe the first active classes of combat training.

Chapter 117: The Nefarious Application of Regeneration

Notes:

Yeah...so I sat down to write the next chapter and this happened...it's not going to make sense until the end so just go with it...

 

*NSFW*

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Todoroki waited in line at the pharmacy like everyone else; he refused to cut the line even though the other people insisted he go first. He foolishly thought a baseball cap would conceal his features enough to avoid special treatment. He could think of more than one fellow pro-hero who wouldn’t hesitate to abuse their ‘power’...it was just a matter of principle for him. He was busy but he didn’t consider himself more important than the three people in front of him including an elderly woman monopolizing the pharmacist’s time with questions, a suited man talking on a bluetooth who couldn’t stop checking his watch, and the woman waiting quietly in front of him with her hood pulled up. Someone else came in and added to the line.  

Todoroki could see impatience start to crease the pharmacist’s face as the door jingled and another person came in. A shadow caught the corner of Shouto’s eye. This customer hadn’t joined the line and—instead—had traced the store, perusing the farthest aisles. Alarm bells went off in the pro-hero's mind. Todoroki kept the brim of his hat low, hoping to hide is identity enough to catch the impending robber off-guard.  

Sure enough, as the older woman hobbled away the person appeared at the front of the line, face covered in a mask, and produced a gun.  

“EVERYONE DOWN! THIS IS A ROBBERY!” Everyone ducked as he pointed down the line and realized the one person who hadn’t cowered in fear was the nation’s number two pro-hero: Todoroki Shouto.  

The robber’s eyes widened with panic and everything happened at once.  

Shouto felt his ice trigger subconsciously. The gun fired as the robber panicked. Screams.  

Shouto braced himself for the familiar burning, fiery pain of being shot but it didn’t come. He realized the woman waiting with him in line had thrown herself in front of Shouto, shielding him from the bullet when his ice had not been fast enough to catch it. Cries of panic—and soon sirens—filled the small shop as the robber was quickly restrained. Shouto, the pharmacist, and the other customers were huddled around the young woman whose face was contorted with pain and she struggled to breathe. Blood started to stain the carpet underneath her.  

More voices crowded around as police apprehended the criminal and paramedics rushed in. They cut her shirt revealing the bullet wound in her upper chest.  

A direct shot to the top of her right lung. Her breathing became more and more labored and Todoroki struggled to find something to say to this young woman who clearly sacrificed herself for him as she was loaded onto a stretcher and paramedics wheeled her away.  

Todorki felt muscle memory taking over answering the police’s questions, calming the other customers, and speaking with the reporters who showed up outside as he remained distracted by the woman who saved his life. Would she be okay? Was she still alive?  

He didn’t even know her name.  

Once the commotion was over Shouto rushed to the hospital with the girl’s basic information from the police. Armed with nothing more than her name and age—and his influence as a pro-hero which he guiltily used—he found her unconscious, recovering from an emergency surgery to remove the bullet.  

When the doctor came around and saw him waiting by the woman’s side he said “Mr. Todoroki, are you a relative?”  

He shook his head. “No, but I’m the person whose life she saved.”  

“Well...” The doctor’s gray brow rose approvingly. “She certainly used her quirk wisely.”  

“Her quirk?”  

The doctor adjusted his wiry glasses and scrutinized the pro-hero. “This young woman has been blessed with the incredible ability to regenerate. She was no longer bleeding by the time she arrived in the operating room and we actually had to reopen the wound in order to extricate the bullet.” He folded his hands behind his back and rocked on his heels. “If it were anyone else, their lung would have collapsed or they would have bled to death.”  

Todoroki felt the doctor’s surreal explanation.  

She undoubtedly saved his life, if not saved him a great deal of pain and suffering.  

The doctor cleared his throat. “I’ve shared all of this with you in confidence, of course, Mr. Todoroki as the person she saved and our number two hero.”  

“Her secret is safe with me,” Todoroki assured.  

“Good, good.” The doctor nodded and ushered him out. “Come. She may have an amazing quirk but she still needs to rest undisturbed.”  

Todoroki allowed himself to be shepherded out of the room and took one last look at the young woman lying in bed. Without her hood he could see her long blonde hair and the slight frown that lingered in her expression though she was deep asleep.  

 

 

Shida opened her eyes and felt like an elephant had been sitting on her chest. Once she saw she was in the hospital she groaned, pressing her eyes tightly shut and tried not to cry.  

Sessuru was going to be pissed.  

Not only was this little trip sure to cost a fortune she was going to be late for work if she hadn’t missed her shift already. She could already hear his angry voice and shuddered.  

One more minute.  

She would take one more minute in this peaceful oasis and then she would get up. And get the fuck out of here. 

At least that pro-hero was safe.  

At the thought of him her heart stilled and the tension began to unwind around her body. Though she may not have made the conscious decision to jump in front of him and acted on instinct alone, she was glad she did. She could tell from the heavy weight pulling on herself that this wound had been particularly rough. Perhaps fatal to someone who didn’t have a quirk like hers.  

Regeneration. 

A quirk that, for 99% of her life, was a curse. In that moment it was a blessing and she hoped the pro-hero would be able to save many more lives.  

Okay. Her minute was up. She sat up knowing she was already fully healed and cursed under her breath. Sure enough, it was dark outside. Fuck!  

She slid out of bed and pulled out her iv. She found her clothes in a plastic bag hanging from a hook by the door and quickly changed but not quick enough to sneak out of the hospital before being stopped by a nurse.  

“Miss Shida, you need your discharge paperwork!” The tired woman rushed to stop her.  

“I-I’m fine, really. I’ll leave my address for the bill.”  

“The bill?” The nurse shook her head. “The charges have already been paid.”  

She gasped. “What?” How was that possible?!  

The nurse smiled warmly, with a hint of a blush on her cheeks. “It was paid off by the man you saved—hey, wait!”  

Shida strode away from the nurse.  

Out of the frying pan, into the fire. Great. Someone else to owe money to. She kept her head low as she walked out of the hospital as quickly as she could. No one else stopped her, thank god.  

She was shaking as she hopped on the train and tried not to think about how late it was, how much of her shift she missed, and Sessuru.  

She shuddered again, knowing exactly how he was going to react.  

But what choice did she have?  

The city lights glimmered in the night as she ran off the train at her stop, out of the station, and down the dark alleyways to the back-door employees were supposed to use. The guard flicked his reptilian tongue at her.  

“You’re late.”  

“Yeah, thanks for the update Croc.”  

He rolled his eyes as he opened the door for her and she ducked inside the familiar, yet still completely nauseating, club. Well, the back hallways. The ones they were forced to use to move between rooms for their different jobs and trudged downstairs to the grimy changing room they were all forced to use despite the nearly certain guarantee there were cameras watching them.  

A chorus of whistles and cat-calls greeted her.  

“Oooo, Shida you’re gonna be in so much trouble!”  

“You missed the meeting!!”  

“Sessuru’s gonna kill youuu.”  

She ignored them all and shoved her ratty backpack into her locker and glanced around. “What are we—”  

“Angels,” said one of the older women with a wink. “The whole fourth floor has been rented out by some pro’s coming in for a bachelor party.”  

“Which you’re missing out on!” a short woman with a pink-pixie haircut crowed as she finished putting on an obscene layer of lipstick.  

“What?” Shida protested, removing her clothes. The air was always cold and damp down here, making her bare skin pucker as she changed into the white bustier lined with tiny blue bows.  

The already dressed women started climbing upstairs, leaving Shida and only a few other stragglers behind. She was clipping the garters of her thigh-high stockings into place over her white lace underwear as the last dancer ascended, her heels clanging on the metal staircase. Shida could hear the violently-loud music as they all went to their assigned places for the night and she tried to catch up but her path was blocked at the top of the stairs.  

“Kejo.” Her throat started to tighten up as the man brushed her hair back with his long black nails.  

He smiled sinisterly. “Sweetheart...do you even know where you’re supposed to be going tonight?”  

She hoped the color of embarrassment rising to her face was hidden by the dim light.  

“Sessuru would like to see you.” He traced a fingernail over the top of her bustier where her breasts were pushed up. “After you earn him some money, of course.”  

“Of course,” she squeaked in a small voice and his fingernail drew a line up her neck, tilting her chin up and his eyes scoured her skin. “Wh-where should I go?”  

“You’re serving drinks, tonight. Main floor,” he said with a flat bored voice.  

“But then—”  

"Don't come upstairs until you have a hundred." He ripped open the door and shoved her out into the red-velvet lined hallway that led into the main lounge, slamming it behind her. The sound was lost among the loud, throbbing music and she took a few deep breaths knowing this was all done on purpose. The main floor was for the walk-in patrons who couldn’t afford the higher cover charges of the upper floors. Usually more rude, more intoxicated, and a lot more handsy. They offered up their cash in stereotypical fashion to the dancers on stage which left little consideration for the rest of them serving drinks among the crowd.  

Sessuru must have been pissed to make her work down here. Especially on a night when there was a group upstairs who were sure to be high-paying. She fluffed her hair, adjusted her bustier, and put her fakest smile in place as she stepped out into the back of the club to start working. 

 

 

 

“This place looks like a fucking dump.”  

“Come on, Bakugo!” Kirishima crowed, throwing an arm around his best friend. “It’s Sero’s bachelor party! We promised him a good time and this place has the most to offer.”  

The ash-blonde scoffed and looked around seeing nothing but dirty degenerates assuming this club wasn’t going to have anything better to offer.  

“Yeah!” Mineta clenched his hands as if he was already squeezing flesh. “They boast the largest selection. Something for everyone they say.”  

Kaminari elbowed Bakugo’s ribs and leaned in, ignoring the blonde’s snarl. “Kaibara said it doesn’t matter what kind of quirk you have. They’ll find someone who can,” he waggled his eyebrows up and down “handle the heat.”  

“Sounds like you’ll finally be able to get some,” growled Bakugo and shoved him. He stumbled and Dark Shadow appeared from Tokoyami’s back.  

“I wonder if they’ll have anyone of an avian background,” the purplish bird-demon said.  

“Gross,” Bakugo muttered under his breath and shoved his hands in his pockets as they turned the corner and approached a well-kept building with a line of people waiting outside. “Aren’t you bozos worried about your image?”  

“Gentlemen,” a professional voice greeted them where Sato and Shoji stopped a few doorstops from the popular spot. Bakugo looked the man up-and-down in his black suit and tie as he opened a door and gestured for the group to step inside what looked like an apartment building. They followed this suited man up through the building which turned out to be attached to the club, a discrete entrance for more reputable clientele.  

Bakugo rolled his eyes as they were escorted into a low-lit lounge with a private stage, groups of plush chairs and couches surrounding tables facing the stage, and a bar. The place was over-done with decorations of hearts and other borderline tacky touches that were meant to make them feel like this party was personalized for them. The whole thing was really fucking boring.  

Bakugo went straight to the bar, ignoring the scantily clad ‘angel’ who was attempting to flirt with him when all he wanted was alcohol. In an unamused voice he said "whiskey sour."  

She pouted playfully and started mixing his drink as his companions joined him and the more inebriated willingly flirted back. Other ‘angels’ with mini fake wings sauntered out and mingled among the men with trays of shots and other temptations, all of which Bakugo dismissed.  

His drink was strong.  

And so was everyone else’s. His cohorts were shamelessly flirting with these half-naked women, sharing drinks, and slowly dispersing among the large room as low music began to pulse from hidden speakers. Bakugo brushed off a couple women who tried to lure him into a lap-dance or even just a regular dance, trying to get this sulking black hole to loosen up.  

“Come on, man, just enjoy the party!” Kaminari yelled nearby as a busty brunette ground her hips into his lap.  

“You’re all going to get fucking herpes,” snapped Bakugo and a well-dressed man took the seat next to him at the bar. Bakugo down the rest of his drink and pushed his empty glass to the bartender for another, hoping this stranger would just go away. 

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone so unhappy in my club for a long time.”  

“Yeah? Well your fucking club sucks,” Bakugo noted, taking his refilled drink.  

The man chuckled with an amused smirk. “Perhaps we just haven’t offered what you would enjoy, yet.”  

“Sorry, Wormtongue, I don’t swing that way.” Bakugo was waiting for the alcohol to hit his system but his muscular physique prevented easy inebriation.  

“Then what way do you swing?” The man probed.  

Bakugo scoffed. “Not in the direction of any of your dirty tramps.”  

The man’s knowing smirk was still in place as he slowly nodded. “Okay. Even though all of our girls are clean, you want someone extra clean...what else?”  

“Stop trying to get me to buy, fucking used-car-salesman.”  

The man let out a deep, dark laugh and slapped the bar; Bakugo noticed how the lingere-clad bartender flinched. The hair on the back of his neck started to rise.  

“I like you, Ground Zero. You’re tough to please...but I don’t let anyone leave my club unsatisfied.”  

Bakugo slowly turned his red eyes upon the man, looking at him for the first time since their conversation began. He noticed the man’s face was clear but he was had a head of thin, brown spines instead of hair. “Yeah?” He felt his lip twitch in irritation. “Something for everyone, I hear?”  

A slow, malicious smile spread across the man’s face. “What exactly are you looking for?”  

 

 

 

 

Shida scurried away from another hand that reached out and squeezed a handful of her lace-covered ass. She’d been working for an hour and a half now. The club was packed and she had made $96. One more generous person—or four more cheapskates—and she could get her meeting with Sessuru over with. The dancers on stage were out in the crowd now and the lights were even dimmer, encouraging any of the more self-conscious patrons to get dances. Sweat and cheap booze hung in the swampy air. She had just finished serving a tray-full of drinks so, when a foot popped out in front of her making her trip and she fell forward, she did not spill anything onto the patron. But it didn’t stop her from falling face-first into the crotch of a man sitting across from the one who tripped her.  

“Whoa-ho-ho!”  

“Get it dude!"  

“Nice!”  

She fumbled trying to get up and felt a hand on the back of her head pressing her face deeper into the seat of the man’s pants.  

“Yeahhh man!”  

“Ha ha ha, these chicks are so eager!”  

She was having trouble breathing she was being held so tight and she cringed as she felt the man harden through his pants. He started humping her face and she could feel his degrading moans as his friends cheered him on. Her lungs were on fire. She finally found a grip on the chair and wrenched herself away from him, falling back on her ass. The group of men were roaring with laughter. Her chest was heaving as she caught her breath and the top of her breasts strained against the top of her bustier with each breath. Her assaulter squatted over her; she resisted the urge to kick him in the balls.  

He tucked a five in between her breasts and cockily said “it was good for me, too. Thanks sweetheart.”  

She kept her face as neutral as possible, ignoring their whistles and hoots to come back, as she slipped away through the busy lounge. She nearly slammed the tray back down on the bar and stormed out the back. Tears threatened to spill and she was glad she never wore make-up. Sessuru was often driven to cruelty at the sight of stained faces. Every step up the stairs she took was harder and harder. She felt like she was walking through mud because she knew what waited at the top for her.  

The air conditioning was cranked up high in the office on the fifth floor. Another thing Sessuru did on purpose. He knew by the time anyone—especially his girls—made it up here they would be sweating which would make them shiver in the frigid air. She covered her chest; her nipples were painfully hard and she knew Kejo wouldn’t be discreet about it but...he wasn’t there. It was weird stepping into the gaudy black-and-gold office without Kejo’s gothic presence looming behind his desk.  

Shida gulped.  

She wished the absence of Sessuru's assistant would mean that he wasn’t there. Or that he was busy. But she knew better. She crossed the office, pulling out the stack of cash from under her bustier and knocked.  

“Who is it.”  

Another game—this place was covered in cameras. No way he wouldn’t know who it was. “I-it’s Ani. I have money for you.”  

There was a long silence and she tried not to quiver as she waited. She could almost see him crossing the room. The door slowly opened and he Sessuru appeared, holding out his hand. Wordlessly she gave him the money and waited as he counted it.  

His dark eyes flicked up to her face. “That’s it?”  

“K-Kejo said—”  

Sessuru yanked her forearm and threw her into his office. She lost balance wearing her heels and fell onto his ornate red rug. The door closed ominously behind her. She turned around and slowly crawled backward as Sessuru loomed over her. On someone else, his features would have been handsome. Strong, curved jaw. Shapely lips and cheek bones that were defined even when he was scowling.  

And he was definitely scowling.  

The glint in his dark eyes nearly cut her.  

“You were late today.” As he stalked forward she crawled back. “And you present this to me like it makes up for it?!” He threw the cash and she cowered, still crawling back as he continued walking toward her. “So what’s the reason?!” he roared. “Why were you late, on a Saturday of all days?!”  

Terror gripped her being. This was the moment she had been dreading.  

“I-I was shot.”  

His eyes raked over her with an obsessive inspection. “You seem fine to me.”  

“I was taken to the hospital,” she meekly offered and saw his eyes flame with fury.  

“So now I have more bills of yours to pay?!”  

The words tripped over each other making her stutter and before she could get the words out that everything had been paid he grabbed her wrists.  

“No! No!” she screamed, flailing uselessly as he dragged her to her feet and forced her down over the desk. “Yama—please!” 

He took a fistful of her hair and twisted her head back painfully. “You don’t get to call me that.”  

She couldn’t help the tears forming in the corner of her eyes. “I’m sorry—I—please, no! Not tonight!”  

“Then you should have been more careful.” With one hand around her neck, he effortlessly held her down and ran his hand down her back, caressing her plump ass, and pulled down her underwear with slow menace. She knew it was no use to fight but she kept trying to shift away, protests turning to whimpers as he tightened his grip on her neck.  

She felt the cold air on her exposed and very dry cunt followed by the unbuckling sound of his belt. God, he wasn’t even going to prep her and she was so stressed so tense because even when he bothered to it didn’t make it hurt any less. He never tried to keep his quirk, which allowed him to make porcupine-like quills anywhere on his body, from activating as he used her.  

When he first slipped up and ripped her to shreds he discovered the nefarious application of her quirk and made it clear to her that he was never going to let her go. Not only could he sell her time and services off at an exorbitant prices to others who couldn’t normally engage in sex, he could use her for himself as much as he wanted and made sure to keep her trapped in an endless cycle of debt.  

But what choice did she have? She had no family and anyone she may have called a friend was lost long ago. For a while she tried to make something more out of this with Sessuru. He strung her along for entertainment until he grew bored of playing with her emotions and made it clear she wouldn’t be anything more than a cocksleeve to him.  

At least he didn’t rip her panties off this time, adding the charge to her debt. Her fingers curled into fists so tightly she could feel her nails digging into her palms as he unzipped his pants and kicked her feet apart, spreading her so vulnerably. She was so worn out from already regenerating once today; it was going to take her even longer to come back from this and she was going to miss out on valuable floor time. 

“Please don’t,” she whispered once more. His tip prodded her entrance and she bit her lip, glad Kejo wasn’t outside to hear her scream.  

He gripped her hip and— 

Someone knocked.  

Sessuru growled vehemently under his breath and sneered “ dont. Move.”   

Ani had no plans to. When he was so wound up like this even the slightest twitch could send him into a blind rage and it would only make her injuries worse.  

“Who is it.” His domineering voice reached every corner of his office.  

“Ah, it—it's me. Sir.” By the tone of Kejo’s voice he sensed how dangerous this interruption was.  

Sessuru’s grip became like a vice around Ani’s throat. “What is it!”  

Kejo cleared his throat. “It’s your client, sir. The one you’ve been trying to help tonight.”  

“For fucks sake. Stay there.” He pushed off of her and quickly redid his own pants but they heard Kejo’s voice outside.  

“No. Sir. Stop! You can’t go in there!”  

Ani panicked, and knowing she would be punished later, turned around and reclothed herself just in time as Sessuru’s doors were blasted open. She stepped off to the side, fearing whoever dared cross her boss like this. She kept her eyes on the ground.  

“Ground Zero,” welcomed Sessuru in a tight voice. “Not having a good time, I presume?”  

An irritable, muscular man stalked inside the office, glowering openly at her boss. “Nope. So pay-the-fuck-up, loser.”  

Ani gasped, eyes shifting to the guest involuntarily; she couldn’t imagine what kind of person Sessuru would owe money to. A pair of angry red eyes scanned the room looking for the source of the sound and Ani's face flamed. She dropped her gaze back to the ground.  

“I...” Sessuru started to say and Ani felt his eyes fall on her. “I...was just...preparing to offer you our...most special and expensive girl...”  

Heavy footsteps scuffed the carpet as the guest approached. “Her?”  

“Y-yes,” Sessuru answered—was that a hint of nervousness ?! Ani’s knees felt weak. “My personal dancer.”  

A pair of industrial boots appeared in the patch of floor at which Ani was staring. A massive hand. A callous finger, lifted her chin until she was face-to-face with those dangerous and alluring red eyes. His moody pout pulled handsome features making him look exactly like the kind of hard-to-please patron Sessuru often gave to Ani.  

“What’s so special about her ,” the man asked flatly as if she were a thing.  

Sessuru joined him at his side. “Her quirk is regeneration...so she can handle anything...”  

The implication was clear.  

“What’s your name?” He asked Ani, holding up a hand when Sessuru started to speak. “I was asking her .”  

Ani forced herself to swallow. “Shida Ani.”  

For the first time his eyes fell, taking in the rest of her and she felt suddenly inadequate as if she could see all of her flaws in his eyes.  

“Fine.”  

Her heart skipped a beat. From his expression she didn’t think he was interested at all.  

Sessuru nodded and gestured back to his door. “Allow my assistant to escort the two of you to a private suite.”  

As Ani moved, Sessuru squeezed her arm. “Please him.” There was no room for failure in his voice.  

She nodded weakly and followed after the man who was almost hunched over as he followed Kejo. Ani did her best to rile her enthusiasm to put on a good show. She tried to put the rest of the day behind her and hoped that if she did a good enough job maybe Sessuru would look past it, too.  

Two floors below Kejo let them into the largest private suite available and Ani felt a twinge of hysteria. This person must be extremely important to be given the room with it’s own bar, a bed, private stage with pole, and walls equipped with pockets of accessories to please the widest range of fetishes imaginable. Kejo gave Ani a withering look before closing them in.  

The man skulked across the room to the bar. “Want something to drink?”  

Ani dug deep, guessing which kind of persona this man would enjoy. “Oh, you’re so sweet.” She joined him at the bar. “But this is all about you tonight.”  

She lightly touched his forearm with the tip of her pinky but he didn’t flinch. He just poured an amber liquid into the crystal glass and sat down in one of the firm, leather chairs. It wasn’t even by the stage. She cleared her throat, trying to remember what Sessuru had called him.  

“Ground Zero...” she said the name as if she were feeling the words like a physical object. He watched her over the rim of his cup. “That’s some kind of name...Are you a pro-hero?”  

His eyes scoured her, expression unchanging. “Yeah.”  

Okay. So he didn’t like talking. Keeping her eyes on his, playing a smile at the corner of her lips, she casually stood in front of him and began to move, swaying her hips. Dancing.  

His eyes narrowed. “There’s not any music playing,” he pointed out with disinterest.  

“I know,” she said. “I’m just warming up. I thought you might like to watch.”  

He sat there as she stretched and twisted in an attempt to see what caught his eye.  

 

 

 

 

 

From the moment Bakugo had saw that bartender flinch he knew this guy was a scumbag. He could see through the shitty charade and fake smiles. Fake everything. As his friends pandered themselves like they were at a free buffet he was following an instinct. Something wasn’t right here. He went along with this stupid bet—that the club had something he would like—only to see if he could figure out just what the fuck was happening.  

The club owner stuck Bakugo with his assistant who certainly put the club’s variety on display. But every dancer left his hunch as unsatisfied as they would have his dick. All these overly-perfumed women with too much make up were as unappealing as a free buffet and Bakugo was going to be happy to collect his thousand dollars from this sleeze-ball...he wasn’t going to get anything else out of this night.  

He tried talking with the girls they offered up but they were insistent there was nothing shady about the boss. He treated them fine, paid them a good cut. Kept the customers from getting attached except...one of the dancers let that word slip and he was vindicated. He thought back over all the things the dancers said, their exact phrasing and realized they had been very consistent with one thing: they were treated well. They were paid a good cut. And with that one word...except...it was clear there was at least one person who wasn’t. Someone they had seen subjected to the boss’s dark side. And he wasn’t going to let someone be a victim. 

Bakugo was impatient, especially with the sniveling creep stalking him around the club, so he decided to cut the shit and back this guy into a corner to figure out which girl he was abusing. It was easier than he could have imagined.  

The difference was like night and day when he caught sight of the girl standing off to the corner. It was like she wanted to disappear unlike all the other women who did everything they could to catch his eye. He had to actually lift her face to get her to look at him— 

Oh shit.  

He did...not...expect... 

He was only half-aware of the words he was saying, what the degenerate was muttering to him. All he could see was real. No make-up, legitimate blush to her cheeks. And this pervert labelled her as his personal dancer.  

Bingo.  

And when he took in the rest of her, he gritted his teeth. The same white set of lingerie that looked tacky on all the other ‘angels’ innocently clung to her frame and he hated that this fuck-face had been right...there had been something here for him.  

He could feel desire beginning to burn in his chest and he was starting to lose focus, knowing he was about to have this woman alone and her boss had just ordered her to please Bakugo. They were clearly trying to butter him up...especially with this room...and then they were alone.  

He went straight for the bar.  

And when she talked to him with that fake syrupy voice his skin crawled...he wanted to hear her . She changed tactics, quickly sensing his disinterest and followed him. ...And started dancing...  

Her lingerie practically glowed in the dark light and his mind was starting to get hazy. He was starting to forget exactly what he had been hunting for... 

 

 

 

She had his attention now. She could see it in the heavy hang of his eye lids and the familiar width of his lusting pupils. She let her hands drift trace the edges of her tight garment wondering how badly hurt she was going to end up.  

“Take off your clothes,” he said, gruff voice.  

It actually made her heart flutter. There was something intense about him that wouldn’t let her detach like she normally could. She was anchored in her body and couldn’t help but hesitate.  

“Oh...you...,” she tried to keep the waver out of her voice. “...want me to take these off?” She traced the edges of lace, teasing him. His breathing deepened. She blushed. “So...so forward.”  

Her fingers fumbled reaching behind herself as she tried to open the corset from behind and her character started to slip. He slowly rose from the chair, eyes glued to her face. She could feel her panic cracking through her expression.  

No—no-no-no he couldn’t be getting frustrated already! She tried to stay calm but the goddamned clasps were stuck and he was inching forward and the entire stress of the day was starting to catch up to her. She stepped back for every step he took forward.  

“I said: take off your clothes.”  

“I-I’m trying.” She cringed at her own tone. “I-I’m sorry, please just—” panic was setting in “—please! Give me a moment!”  

He didn’t say anything, just kept walking forward until her legs bumped against the bed and she fell back.  

“Please don’t hurt me!”  

 

 

 

She threw her hand up with such a reflex that he knew.  

He fucking knew it. She’d been abused.  

Rage simmered in his veins at the tears and shame she couldn’t hide.  

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry,” she cried. “Please don’t tell my boss.” He cupped her elbow and lifted her like she was a twig. She wiped her face as quickly as she could, trying to get a grip on herself. “It’s just—we can—I can still do whatever you want. Just please don’t tell my boss.”  

“I’m not going to say anything to your fucking boss,” he growled. She flinched. It was difficult to stay focused on the task at hand when the bustier squeezed her breasts with heavy one of her sobs.  

“O-okay, thank you,” she sniffled and reached around herself, finally able to unclasp the back of her bustier. 

He reached around her and stilled her hands. “What are you doing?”  

“Taking off my clothes.” She looked up at him under dark, wet lashes. He was completely hard and nearly rabid to fuck her but he couldn’t. Not with her like this. He wondered how many other men had gone through with it anyway and forced themselves on her. “...I thought that’s what you...wanted?”  

His heart was pounding. “How badly does he hurt you?”  

“What?” Pure confusion creased her face. She stopped trying to take off her clothes but he didn’t move his hands. He liked the way her hands felt under his.  

“Your boss.” His face was inches way from hers. “I can tell he hurts you. How badly?”  

Her expression became guarded and she stayed silent which was answer enough for him.  

“Why?”  

She swallowed thickly and whispered almost too quietly for him to hear “I owe him a lot of money.”  

“How?”  

“Why do you want to know?”  

His eyes flashed down to her lips, slightly parted, then back up to her eyes. “I want to understand why you would put up with it.”  

“Because I don’t have a choice.” Her eyes fell away in embarrassment. “He helped me when I was in trouble and I keep messing up. I haven’t been able to pay him back yet.”  

“Yet.” Bakugo’s tone brought her eyes back to his. “So you don’t want to be here?”  

She fluttered her eyelashes and pursed her lips, clearly sobering from her distress. “Of course I do.” She bit her lip. “I want to—”  

“You don’t have to do that shit with me,” he said flatly, wanting her real voice to come back.  

She sucked in a tight breath and her face crumpled trying not to cry. In a small voice she answered “of course I don’t want to be here. But this isn’t a fairy tale and I’m sure as hell not Cinderella.”  

“So, you’re saying if you had another choice?”  

“Yeah,” she scoffed. “ If I ever manage to pay off my debts, he’s still not going to let me go.”  

“Why not?” he scowled and could see the deep heat rising to her cheeks in the dark light.  

She looked away. “You heard him. He considers me his. There’s no way he’d ever actually let me leave, no way for me to stop him or anyone to help me stop him, and no place I could ever go.” She smiled at him though it didn’t touch her eyes. “So he’ll keep me tied down here, under the guise of monetary debt, so he can use me like he can use no one else for the rest of my life.”  

Without saying a word Bakugo turned, keeping his hand wrapped around one of her wrists, and dragged her to the door. She dug in her heels.  

“Wait—what are you doing?” She tried to fight him but it was like a butterfly versus a bear. “I can’t go back until you’re satisfied—please!”  

Bakugo was already throwing the door open and found that slime of a human waiting in the hall with fearful disappointment.  

“Sir, did you find everything to be—”  

“Yes,” he snapped. “I’m very satisfied. Take me back to your boss now so I can settle up.”  

The man’s extraordinarily pale face lit up. “Right away! I’m so glad to hear we’ve finally been able to find something to your tastes!”  

Bakugo didn’t look back at Ani as he towed her along but he could feel the fear rolling off of her in waves and they were soon back in the pompously decorated office. Bakugo didn’t bother letting the assistant try to knock first, he just blew the fucking doors open and felt Ani flinch.  

She really didn’t know who he was.  

The scumbag owner was in the middle of a blow-job and scurried to put his dick away. Bakugo could not have cared less.  

“How much do I owe you?” He held up Ani’s hand and she tried to disappear again.  

The man stepped around the other woman still kneeling on the floor and opened his hands. “I’m so glad we finally found something you could enjoy! I think the original thousand we agreed upon is more than enough.”  

 

 

 

 

Thousand?!  

Ani wanted to say something, there was no reason this man should lose so much money when she did absolutely nothing! He wouldn’t let her go.  

“No,” he said gesturing her arm out again. “The whole thing. How much?”  

Ani could feel Sessuru’s scrutinous gaze; he was trying to keep his voice lighthearted. “I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking.”  

“How. Much. For. Her. Permanently.” 

Darkness fell over the room and Ani shivered, realizing what was happening.  

“She’s not for sale.”  

The man holding onto Ani scoffed. “I’ve seen your shitty club. I know everything’s for sale, just name the price—” 

“Two hundred thousand.”  

“What?!” Ani gasped. “My debt is only—”  

“Shut up, whore!” Sessuru yelled. “It’s your debt plus interest and all the wages lost if you’re not here! This hot-shot wants you that bad? That’s how much it’ll cost.”  

“No, please—” Ani tried to say but the ash-blonde refusing to let her go cut her off.  

“Done.” 

Sessuru’s eyes lit up with greed and Ani was speechless, dizzy with confusion. 

What the fuck was happening?!  

“Kejo!”  

 

 

 

Bakugo could feel this woman—Shida—trembling and couldn’t wait to get her out of here. To save her from this complete piece of shit. He didn’t bat an eye as he pulled out his black amex and paid the repulsive assistant in full and the owner of the club actually offered his fucking hand to shake as if Bakugo had just bought a luxury sports car.  

He dismissed the offered hand with a scowl and led Shida away.  

 

 

 

 

Shida was still speechless as they left the office...this man...this complete stranger had just paid her boss an exorbitant amount of money to release her from her obligations to this place and she was terrified. There were only a few reasons anyone would do that and none of them were good.  

“Where are your things?” He asked in a rough voice.  

She quietly answered “in the basement. Our changing room.”  

He went down with her refusing to leave her side as if he was worried she was going to run away or someone would try to take her from him. She was pulling her things out of the locker and he was still there.  

“There’s...cameras in here?” He asked. Of course this shrewd stranger who just burst into her life would notice that.  

“Y-yeah.” She felt more self-conscious changing with him right there. “I have to change though...the clothes belong to the club.” 

“Fucking disgusting.” He shrugged off his jacket and wrapped it around her shoulders. “Here. You can change under this.”  

He did a double take when he noticed she was frozen, staring at him with wide eyes. “What?”  

She shook her head, pressing her lips together as a foreign feeling pumped through her veins; she changed underneath the fabric that was infused with warmth and a strange smoky smell that must have been him.  

She left the lace garments on the bench and reluctantly took his jacket off, offering it back to him.  

He looked at it then back at her. “You can keep it on right now. You don’t look well.”  

“Thanks,” she mumbled and felt a strange sparkle inside herself. She tried to brush it off. Good things didn’t last. Not in her life. She expected him to have a car waiting outside as if he’d been planning on buying another human being but there was only a taxi.  

“Come on.” He held the door open for her. Part of her knew this was completely deranged and she was probably going to be murdered but she knew for certain what future waited for her back in the club. She slid in without a glance back. He slid in next to her and made no attempt to grope her or make small talk. As they pulled away from the curb his phone rang.  

With what seemed like a begrudging growl he answered “what do you want.”  

Ani recognized the music from the club and panicked, thinking Sessuru was already calling to demand her return or more money but there were only the loud, drunken voices of other men. He must have been there with friends. Guilt sank through her.  

“No. Just shut the fuck up and mind your own business.”  

She heard a chorus of ‘ooooooo’s’ and other calls in the background before he hung up. “Immature ass-hats.”  

She cleared her throat, trying to relax. “Were those your...friends?”  

“Tch, yeah.” He leaned on the window, watching the city roll past. “If you can call them that. Bunch of extras.”  

She didn’t know how to respond to that so she looked out her own window, wondering where they were going. Presumably some sleezy hotel.  

Turned out to be the exact opposite.  

They drove into the nicest part of town where the residents owned entire buildings. A place she didn’t even dare walk through let alone ever dream of visiting. Once Sessuru had sent her here to call on a client but she’d been restricted to one room for business only. So when the cab stopped, and her new boss climbed out, she hesitated.  

He leaned in and looked at her flatly. “You got somewhere else to go?”  

She shook her head timidly and he offered his hand.  

She took it, fingers feeling particularly delicate in his hand. He led her inside a house that matched the stereotype of someone who had a black amex and felt vastly inadequate. He left her by the door as if she was supposed to know what to do, where to go. 

“You hungry?” He asked, voice fading as he rounded a corner.  

To be honest with herself? She was starving. She took off her ratty sneakers and tiptoed into the house where she found him putting together a plate of fresh fruit that made her mouth water.  

“Um...” Geez, even her voice sounded wrong in this house. He looked up and she couldn’t tell if he was annoyed, regretting his decision, or just tired. “Wh-what’s your name?”  

He smirked. “Bakugo Katsuki.”  

“Nice to meet you,” she said with a bow of her head. “Mr. Bakugo.”  

“None of that shit. I’m not that fucking pervert you’re free of now. Just call me Katsuki.”   

“Okay K-katsuki,” she murmured and looked away. She was too embarrassed to notice the pink that dusted his own cheeks. “Thank you for doing that for me.”  

He grunted in response.  

“Why...did you...do that?” She asked hesitantly and he slid the plate half-way across the kitchen island so it was between the two of them. She didn’t reach for anything; eating something seemed like it would be sealing some deal she didn’t know the details of yet.  

He stared at her flatly without answering.  

“Why?” She asked again. “I’m a complete stranger to you, so why? Why did you just do that?” Her voice was starting to rise in panic. “Was it to make me your personal slave? Is that why? DId you just want me all for yourself?!”  

“Of course I did!” He snapped and she felt physically wounded. She’d begun to hope without realizing it. “You’re fucking beautiful and the most real person I’ve met in this fucking superficial society and the thought of leaving you there, under his control, was maddening! But I’m not going to fucking rape you like he did! Because that’s what he’s been doing to you all these years, isn’t it?!”    

Ani fell speechless. A tear slipped down her face and she nodded.  

“You still don’t get it, do you.” He asked rhetorically. “You called me Ground Zero but I can tell you were only repeating him, guessing I’m a pro-hero. But I’m not just any fucking pro. I’m the number three hero in the fucking country and I’m going to be number one.”  

He said it with such confidence that she didn’t have any doubts and felt even more inadequate. No wonder Sessuru had been so accommodating.  

“I knew something was foul at that club. I played along with his stupid bet to find out what and it led me to you.” He shoved a wedge of orange in his mouth and ate like he hated the very idea of citrus fruits. “I didn’t expect to fucking find you there.”  

“Me?” She asked earnestly. "What do you mean?”  

He came around the corner, pulled her to against him, and she didn’t resist. She felt herself shaping against him...not because he was someone she was trying to please but because he was strong. And safe. And insanely handsome.  

“You. In that sinful clothing...your fucking gorgeous eyes...” he was leaning in, voice trailing off and she could feel the lust boiling over in him. For once she was eager to be kissed but he paused, fingers twisted in her hair. “I didn’t want anyone else to ever touch you again. It was hard not to fuck your brains out in that dark room...but I want to do it when you want to, too.”  

For the countless time that night she was speechless as she stared into his smoldering red eyes only inches from hers and felt drunk on his scent.  

“I want to,” she said breathlessly.  

He snarled “you don’t know what you’re saying.”  

“I do.” Her expression softened and this time...when she smiled...it lifted her eyes and she chided herself. She was falling hard for the complete stranger. “I want you to fuck my brains out.” She softly laughed. “Nothing you do could be worse than what’s already been done to me, not a challenge...but I want you to.”  

He crushed his mouth against hers, releasing the flood of hunger he’d been holding back and lifted her up. She wrapped her legs around his and felt his dick already rock hard as their tongues wrestled for control. He carried her up the stairs without breaking a sweat and kept up his vigorous attack on her lips.  

“You’re mine,” he growled against her mouth.  

She whimpered and nodded, happy about it for once. He laid her down on a massive bed and leaned back to take off his shirt. Her mouth dropped open and he grinned arrogantly.  

“Still want me to fuck your brains out?"  

She nodded feverishly and took his hands as an erotic idea came to her. Switching places she stood in front of him and stripped her clothes as if she was putting on the best show of her life, teasing him with each layer she peeled away.  

He eyed every newly exposed patch of skin predatorily until she was in her bra and underwear. Plain. Simple. But she had never felt sexier.  

“Keep going,” he said in a husky voice and she slowly reached behind herself, unclasping the bra without a single twinge of nerves. The fabric fell away revealing her hard nipples to him and he licked his lips. She slid her underwear down...every inch of skin on fire under his gaze.  

She climbed onto the bed, straddling him, so her chest was eye-level with him and draped an arm over his shoulder. Undulating from her shoulders to her hips she danced up against him until he claimed her mouth again.  

“Use me,” she whimpered. “I’ve never wanted to make someone happy so badly before.”  

Katsuki’s mouth moved to her neck, leaving deep claiming marks. “What if I want to tie you down?”  

“Unh, then tie me down!”  

She was on her back in an instant, both wrists held down above her head in one of his hands.  

“You sure about that...goldilocks?”  

“Yyeess,” she moaned rubbing her thighs together. Only a moment later her hands were bound together tied to his headboard and she was laid out like a piece of meat for him.  

His heavy-hooded gaze made her skin tingle.  

She moaned again. “Use me...use me...”  

He slowly leaned down red eyes glowing eerily bright as her words fell to mumbles.  

 

“Use me...use me.......use me.....use me.....”  

 

“Ani?”  

 

 

“Use me...”  

 

 

“Ani? Ani, are you okay?”  

 

 

She could hear Katsuki’s voice but his mouth wasn’t moving.  

Ani’s eyes snapped open and she sat-up, waking up abruptly from the erotic dream, covered in a sheen of sweat between Katsuki and Shouto who were both awake, looking at her closely.  

“Are you okay?” Shouto asked, searching her eyes and she nodded, unable to speak.  

Katsuki made a sound. “Having a good dream, there goldilocks?” He smirked. “Sounded like you were saying ‘use me’.”  

“N-no!” she protested poorly and tried to cover it up. “I was just saying ‘excuse me’!”  

Katsuki snickered. “Yeah. Sure you were.” 

She covered her face, mortified, and flopped back down onto her stomach. “Ohmygod...just go back to sleep, both of you,” she said but she could feel them exchange a glance and sensed their humor at her embarrassment. She stifled a groan, knowing neither of them would let it go once they all woke up in the morning.  

 

Notes:

Full chapter title was going to be: A Bad Dream | The Nefarious Application of Regeneration but I thought it gave away too much. Good/Bad? I will add it in if it was just too confusing without it

Chapter 118: Don't Think Less of Me

Notes:

*NSFW*

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ani was blown away by the students at UA. Over her first week she’d observed practical classes from every year and couldn’t believe the passion of them all. They applied themselves with dedication and commitment that reminded Ani of her own heroes. As she treated various injuries over the week she was slowly getting to know the students, especially the first years who were more inexperienced than their seniors. Their excitement and optimism was inspiring.

And the teachers were as impressive, too. They were tough and creative in how they challenged their students and still taught students their core subjects. She ate lunch with Shinsou and Togota—who insisted she use at least his family name if she was going to use Shinsou’s—and enjoyed hearing about their own classes and students after getting to see them in action during each of their combat training classes.

Shouto and Katsuki were not as pleased.

“You what?!”

“Bakugo, calm down,” said Shouto, sternly focused on Ani at dinner one night.

“Calm down?!” Katsuki slammed his fists on the table. “You want me to calm down while she’s been having lunch with those two morons everyday this week? How are you not more pissed about this?!”

“He is,” Ani pointed out, looking between the two of them. She could see it in the tension of Shouto’s eyes…the jealousy and possessiveness. Katsuki’s nostrils flared as he stared at Shouto who stared at Ani. “Aren’t you?”

“Of course I am.” He leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms. “I haven’t seen how they interact with you so I’m not comfortable with it—”

“Hah!”

“—but” Shouto cut Katsuki with a dark glance “I trust you and I know they’re your coworkers. Having a good rapport is critical.”

“For fucks sake, icy-hot,” growled Katsuki with a roll of his eyes. “Suck up.”

Shouto rolled his eyes, too, and Ani burst out laughing.

“What?” both men asked at the same time.

“Nothing, you’re both just adorable.” She smiled to herself, turning her attention back to her food. She missed how their cheeks tinted pink and then caught each other blushing, only to quickly look away.

The next day at lunch Ani found out Togota lived in the apartment underneath her when he admitted he heard Katsuki yelling and asked if everything was alright.

“Everything’s fine.” She admitted “he was just…a little jealous…to find out I’d been eating lunch with the two of you.”

Katuski?” Shinsou asked with confusion in his dark eyes. “Why would he be jealous?”

Ani turned red, especially when Togota was clearly stifling a smile. “Um…because we’re…he’s with Shouto and I.” Shinsou’s brow raised and she explained with a shrug “after everything the three of us have been through together…it just felt right.”

“Good for you,” noted Shinsou indifferently. Ani breathed a silent sigh of relief…

Until Katsuki showed up later that day.

And tracked down Ani.

Observing a combat training class.

That Shinsou happened to be teaching.

She stiffened when he prowled into the gym but before she could admonish him the students saw him and freaked out, flocking to him excitedly. He barked answers out, getting impatient with their energetic questions and tried to shoo them away as he saw her. He grinned, unashamed, at her flat expression.

“What are you doing here?”

He strolled up to her. “Just saying hi.”

“Really?” she asked him and shook her head. He looked over her shoulder at the charts in her hand. “Hey.”

He sulked. “What?”

“Private information, ‘Suki, about the students.” She shook her head and turned her attention back to the students…only to notice a small group of them loitering close to the explosive pro-hero with gaping mouths.

“Oi! What’re you catching flies?! Get back to work!” he barked and the students rushed away. A devilish smirk spread across Katsuki’s face when he saw Ani trying not to panic.

She’d let it slip. His name! In front of students. Fuck!

“You embarrassed?” He asked her.

She cleared her throat. “Embarrassed? A little. I just don’t want to cause trouble—”

“For the half-and-half or me. I get it. I get it.” He crossed his arms and watched the class, easily losing himself in the observations. “And don’t worry, I’m not going to mess with your friend.”

She glanced at Shinsou who didn’t seem bothered by Katsuki’s presence since the ash-blonde didn’t interfere with his class. When the students were dismissed Shinsou joined them and Katsuki was as brash as ever, pointing out faults in the exercises.

Shinsou handled it in stride. “Thank you for the feedback, Bakugo. I’ll take it into consideration.”

There was an awkward, silent moment until Ani cleared her throat and said “Shinsou’s moving into the faculty housing this weekend and Togota and I are going to help him. Will you help us?”

Katuski pouted sourly, clearly displeased with the whole situation but said “yeah.”

“Thank you,” accepted Shinsou politely.

Ani beamed. “Thanks, ‘Suki.” He mumbled something and glanced between the two of them.

“Does he know?”

“That you’re involved with Miss Shida and Mr. Todoroki?” Shinsou interjected. “I do.”

“I told them at lunch today,” offered Ani. “Since you were yelling so much last night at dinner.”

“What’s that got to do with anything?” He scowled.

“Togota lives in the apartment under me.”

Katsuki smirked again. “He’s gonna end up hearing a lot more than that, the poor bastard.”

“Oh my god!” Ani’s face was on fire and she immediately covered it, striding away as Shinsou blushed and Katsuki laughed.

“Come on, goldilocks!” He shouted and jogged to catch up with her as she left the gym.

She swatted him with the charts outside.

“Oi!” he grunted.

She narrowed her eyes at him. “No more. No more surprise visits to classes. No more comments like that. Got it?”

“Yeah, yeah. I got it, goldilocks.”

“Good.” Her expression slowly relaxed as they walked along and parted ways, until they would meet up for their first night alone; Shouto had gone back to Dagoben for a few nights.

Endeavor’s burial services happened earlier in the week…it had been a solemn evening. Ani was by Shouto’s side the entire time. Most of their classmates—except for those still recovering—attended and expressed condolences to Shouto and his family. Katsuki went out on rounds until the morning without Ani or Shouto asking but both were grateful. She was glad she’d gotten to focus on him. It wasn’t hard to convince him to spend the extra night, last night, and said good-bye to him this morning. Part of her wondered if he knew about Katsuki’s plan to pop in on her class…if they’d talked about it after she left the apartment.

She’d ask him about it later.

For now, she let it go. She worked the rest of the day without distraction and Katsuki cooked dinner. She even got to talk to Shouto before she went to bed; it was a comfortable, happy evening…

And yet the bad dreams continued to plague her.

The first night had been that dream about Katsuki buying her from a club and they only became more graphic after that. An omega being claimed by alpha Shouto. A failing student in Katsuki's class. Shouto and Katsuki both made appearances but the dreams seemed to focus on one of them for the sexual content. And they were always sexual.

Ani hoped the dreams would subside with only one of them in bed. Maybe she was just churning with hormones being sandwiched between them every night? When one, or both of them, would wake up with her, she felt like they could see every depraved fantasy that just played out in her dreams and she couldn’t bear to answer their questions. She couldn’t handle their reactions right now. She couldn’t even handle her own. She felt like her subconscious was torturing her, forcing her to confront more than one desire she wasn’t being honest about with herself.

Shouto’s absence didn’t make a difference.

The dreams kept going, oscillating pornographic scenes between the two stars of her imagination. By Saturday morning she hadn’t slept through the night one single time that week. She woke up from a particularly dark dream where Shouto created her with technology and kept her in his basement like a sex slave. Katsuki was already awake, watching her suspiciously when her eyes parted.

One of his eyebrows slowly rose. “You finally gonna tell me what you’ve been dreaming about all week?”

Words fumbled around in her groggy brain and he slid down to his side, propping his head up on an arm so he was looking down at her.

“Why not?”

“I don’t...” her lips trembled. Though her voice was quiet she forced herself to say “I don’t want you or Shouto to think less of me.”

 Katsuki’s expression got all twisted. “How the fuck could I think less of you?”

She tried to cover her face but he climbed on top of her and pulled her hands away.

Oh god oh god oh no. She was panicking inside feeling the echoes of depravity call up from her subconscious as he pinned her down.

“What is going on with you?!” Though he snapped she could hear the worry underneath it and saw the angry concern in his eyes. He ended up between her legs and before she realized what she was doing she was grinding up against him, eyes rolling back her head at the relieving friction.

“What...” He muttered, glancing down to see her rubbing his morning wood. One of his hands disappeared from her wrist and reappeared between her legs; he sucked in a sharp, quiet curse. “Oh... You mean you’ve been having dreams like that...”

Ani couldn’t bring herself to look at him. She was losing control, feeling the tendrils of depravity uncoiling from a dark part of herself she didn’t know existed. She heard the sounds coming out of her mouth and braced herself to be mocked...

“Ani.” His voice was tight and she looked up at him. His expression reflected the strain in his voice. “I don’t think any less of you,” he snarled grumpily and flipped her over, onto her hands and knees. “I could’ve been helping you with this all week.”

She moaned in relief as her shorts and panties fell to her knees and he pushed himself inside. Like they hadn’t already been messing around everyday. It was part of the reason she was so self-conscious to talk about it with the two of them.

He leaned over to ask in her ear. “Have you been dreaming about me?”

“Y-yes,” she answered. He was so deep she could feel the pressure of him in her abdomen. “Shouto, too.”

“And you didn’t tell us?” He tsk’ed and the sound curled pleasurably in her folds. “You must have been having some kind of dreams...if you were too shy to tell us...” He was thrusting shallowly, making her squirm for more. More more more. "...that's alright, goldilocks...we’ll get it out of you...one word at a time.”

She was panting, arching her back for something that she couldn’t put a finger on.

“So tell me...” his voice in her ear was unravelling her. “How do you want it?”

She was struggling internally...and Katsuki wasn’t going to wait for her to finish her personal debate.

“I guess you don’t—” He was cut off when she muttered one word:

“hard.”

He didn’t hesitate. He straightened and held her hips steady as he drove into her. Ani closed her eyes and buried her face, groaning as he went even deeper. Sounds of slapping flesh filled her room punctuated with Katsuki’s rough breathing.

“Are you this submissive in your dreams?” He guessed hoarsely ramming his pelvis so hard that his balls were swinging, hitting her clit.

She whimpered “yes,” grateful he couldn’t see her face as she spread her legs and arched her back. He growled and slapped her ass.

“You need to tell us.”

She moaned and nodded, walls fluttering around him.

“I can’t hear you.” He spanked her again.

“Y-yes! Yes, Katsuki!”

His hips stuttered and he growled low in his chest; his release was getting close. He tucked a hand down the front of her with just the right amount of pressure, sending the orgasm crashing over her with such a ferocious pressure that her ears began to ring. He quickly followed. She stayed bent over as he unloaded so much it dripped out around him.

“Holy hell, goldilocks...” he pulled her upright against his chest. “That was hot as fuck.” He was out of breath. “Seriously tell me about this shit...I’m not going to think any less of you...No way.”

She leaned her head back on his shoulder and closed her eyes.

“I’m not going to judge you.” His rough hands slid up under her shirt, groping her chest. “I love you, Ani. Give me a chance.”

“I’ll try,” she conceded.

He kissed her neck. “Good. Let’s get cleaned so I can cuddle the shit out of you all morning.”

Notes:

Yo, I don't know what's with our boy Shouto. I'm trying to get him back in the picture (I wrote a 'bad' dream about him but didn't know if it would be overkill) and it hasn't felt right yet :( I gotta figure the three of them out.

 

Also, I ended up writing this late last night. Can't decide if the flow made sense

Chapter 119: Memory

Chapter Text

Shinou didn’t have much to move into his apartment, so with four people moving boxes and furniture everything was there within an hour. He treated Ani, Katsuki, and Togota to a take-out lunch and it was weird to be off-campus for the first time since Endeavor’s burial. In the little shop Ani ended up staring out the window thinking about Shouto.

They’d had dinner at the Torodoki family home after the funeral which, upon Enji’s death, was passed down to Natsuo. Ani thought it was strange that Rei wasn’t going to protest and try to live there herself but understood once Rei expressed how the hospital had been her home for too long. The Todoroki family estate was too estranged for her...too many dark memories. Fuyumi, Natsuo, and Shouto took a private moment with their mother cleaning up together after dinner as Utsubei and Ani sat in the courtyard watching the three boys rough-house together with their quirks.  

Ani had been lost in thought then, too.  

Utsubei cleared his throat, bringing Ani back to the moment, and asked gruffly “at the station...they said you were with him when he died.”  

“I was,” she sadly answered.  

“What happened?”  

Ani knew he’d at least had access to the whole report, to read all the details of her official statement so this was about more than the facts. She quietly recounted her final moments with Endeavor for him, what she saw in his eyes as he gave up his life for Shouto.  

“He asked me to save Shouto and love him." She wiped the tears from her face. “I can’t help but feel like I’ve let him down.” 

“Let him down?” Utsubei frowned. “How?”  

She glanced around, making sure there were no other family members near. “After all the dust settled from my trial...Shouto opened the door for Bakugo Katsuki to become involved in my life, if I wanted it.”  

Utsubei’s brow rose significantly.  

“I’ve realized I care deeply for Katsuki because of everything he’s done for me so I’m trying to see if he fits into my life. Shouto’s been nothing short of supportive and unjudging about it...but recently...he’s said some worrying things.” She was thinking of their conversation from the previous night; when Katsuki had been the one to brashly comfort Shouto, instead of her. “I feel like I’m letting him down.”  

“What kind of things?"  

“He thinks he’s broken.”  

“That’s pretty common for someone who’s been through what he has.”  

“He’s not though,” Ani whispered with a sad fervency.  

Utsubei slowly nodded. “So you’re worried by hanging out with Bakugo...you’re neglecting Shouto?” Ani nodded, eyes drifting over the courtyard and Shouto’s nephews. “You know...Ani...one of the hardest things about being a parent is watching my child in pain. It’s our instinct to want to protect them from all the pain we can and prevent anything bad from happening to them. But bad things inevitably happen. My heart breaks whenever I see my children go through something...and they’re each affected differently. Wei gets loud. Angry. Kiro...he still needs to be comforted affectionately. Tashkei prefers space. He doesn’t want help with a problem unless he seeks it out.” Utsubei shrugged. “Maybe Shouto’s like that, too. He wants space...but he doesn’t want to alienate you.”  

“Are you saying he invited Katsuki to babysit me?” She asked so incredulously that Ustubei chuckled.  

“No. Maybe it just comforts him to know you’re not alone. ”  

“I just don’t want him to be.”

“Yeah...but is that for your benefit...or his?”  

Ani fell silent. She hadn’t considered how worried about him she was and how she might be looking to relieve her own pain on his behalf, instead of his actual pain.  

“Shouto loves you, Ani. I don’t think he would do something lightly, especially something like let another person into your life. That’s a serious sacrifice he’s making...and I’m guessing he did it to ease your pain because of how much he loves you.”  

Ani wiped her face again and murmured “I just...I would do anything for him. I love him so much.”  

“I know,” assured Utsuebi. When she looked at him he explained “from Katsuki’s memories that were projected during the trial. We all saw how vehemently you love Shouto...what you went through while he was gone. Including Shouto. And what he saw in M.I.’s memories when you were held hostage by the League...I don’t think he could ever doubt how you feel. This is just his way of caring for you when he feels like he can’t. It doesn’t mean you love him any less and it definitely doesn’t mean you’ve broken your promise to Enji.”  

“Thank you, Utsubei,” whispered Ani as she bowed her head, holding onto his words in her heart. 

He bowed his head. “You should know, whenever this...addition... to your relationship gets out to the world—because it will get out, just a matter of time—there will be a lot of gossip and slander.”  

“I know.” Ani accepted it squarely. “It’s going to be awful.”  

“What’s going to be awful?”  

Ani jumped at Shouto’s voice from behind. She popped off the bench and spun around, heart fluttering. “N-nothing.”  

He lifted his dual-colored brow and she could see he was going to ask her about it later; which, he did as they rode back to campus.  

He regarded the road ahead with a small smile. “I didn’t realize my brother-in-law had such a good handle on me.”  

“Is that how you feel?” She asked gently.  

“It is. I feel broken and I do need space. Well, I don't--I mean, space as in—”  

Instead of feeling pushed away, Ani only felt a swell of love for this man and tried not to let the tears overflow. “I understand,” she assured him. “If you feel broken...then I won’t try to convince you you’re not. If you need space...I won’t overwhelm you. I’ll hold onto the pieces of you and keep them safe for when you’re ready to come back. Because I know you're coming back.” 

He slipped his hands into hers and risked a look away from the road to her. “Thank you, Ani,” he said with a sad appreciation.  

“Anytime.” She smiled, though it didn’t touch her eyes, and after a moment asked “what are you thinking about?”  

“A memory.”  

“Of who?”  

“You,” he said with a glance at her. “From the times you’ve been supportive before.”  

“Oh.” She realized he was talking about memories that had been taken from her. 

 

 

Ani had been on autopilot with Katsuki and her coworkers. When she mentally returned to the moment they were already back on campus, walking to the apartment building together in the beautiful sunny day. Togota seemed to be enjoying setting off Katsuki and Shinsou watched the short-fuse in disbelief. Ani’s pace slowed until she was standing still. A curious thought occurred to her...and it was solidifying in her mind...an absent thought that she wished she could just... 

“Ani?”  

“Yo, goldilocks!” She looked up seeing the three men paused several paces ahead looking back at her. Katuski’s red eyes were narrowed in angry concern. “Stop spacin’ out.”  

Her blue eyes shifted. “Hey...Togota...”  

“What’s up?” He chipperly asked.  

“That girl that you mentioned during lunch earlier this week...the one you helped save...you said she rewinds people...right?”  

He tilted his head to the side. “She can. Why?”  

“How does it work?” Ani’s brow furrowed as she made the question coherent. “Could she rewind just a part of a person?”  

“A part?” He’d walked back to her now and she met his blue eyes with her own.  

She nodded. “Yes, like....someone’s memory?”  

Chapter 120: Friends

Chapter Text

Ani could tell Katsuki was still awake.  

Though his breaths were slow, her head rising and falling gently as she rested on his bare chest, and his heartbeat was steady she could tell. The quiet night fizzled around him as he brooded over something.  

“What is it?” she whispered, staring out her bedroom window. Clouds drifted revealing the dark starry sky in patches.  

He sighed roughly. “Huh?”  

“What’s bothering you?”  

His red eyes swiveled down to her face, angrily searching her expression. “Why do you want your memory back?”  

Oh. She hadn’t expected that.  

She rolled onto her stomach and propped her chin on her hands, considering his question. “It was the way Shouto looked at me the other night. It was like he was remembering something between us but I didn’t get to share the feeling. It made me feeling distant from him...” Her eyes fell. “From both of you.”  

Both of us?” he asked gruffly.  

She nodded, unable to lift her gaze up to him. “I can see it in your eyes…there are all these things you both remember and it makes me feel like a stranger. Like you’re in love with someone I don’t know…I guess…I’m worried I’m going to say or do something that’s out of line with the past version of me.” When he remained silent her eyes cautiously rose to his guarded expression. “Why does it bother you that I want it back?”  

She caught the subtle flexing of his jaw as he tried to stay neutral. “Because you’re going to end this when you do.”  

“What? Why?”  

He stared up at her, red irises practically glowing in the dark night. “Think about it, goldilocks. You and the half-and-half were together for three fucking years. Once you remember all of that, anything you feel for me is going to pale in comparison. You know it’s true,” he scoffed angrily and looked away. “The past-you would never have done this.”  

“The past-me was never kidnapped.”  

He looked up cautiously, skeptically and her own eyes fell away from his.  

“The past-me never had to face what I have in the past few months. And remembering everything else won’t erase what I feel now.” Her fingertips played with the hem of his shirt. “Did something bad happen between us?”  

“No.” He laughed once, a dark sarcastic sound. “I can definitively say nothing happened between us.”  

Ani caught his implication. “I remember the first UA gala…when you told me you loved me and tried to kiss me.” She slowly lifted her gaze to his and saw the slight tip of his brow in surprise. “Do you resent me for rejecting you?”  

His eyes blazed. “No.” His hands trailed her thighs as he sat up. “If anything it made me crazier about you.”  

“What?” She searched his eyes. “How?”  

“You were so goddamned nice about it. Not patronizing. So loyal to that fucking bastard.” He gave her a crooked grin. “Exactly what I want in a partner.”  

She blushed and swallowed thickly, acutely aware of her shirt-and-underpants-only state as his hands snaked up her back. “S-so what…you just waited all this time?”  

“Tch.” He scoffed against her neck. It wasn’t a real answer. She was undecided if she was going to press the issue; his hot lips leaving deepening kisses made her mind start to feel fuzzy.  

“It doesn’t matter anymore,” he mumbled against her skin. “We’re together now.”  

The sound of Katuki’s phone ringing pierced the night.  

He ignored it.  

Hot lips trailed her neck.  

Ani’s phone rang.  

She looked over Katsuki’s shoulder and saw it was Shouto calling. She crawled out of Katsuki’s lap—ignoring his grumble of protest—and answered before the third ring.  

“Hey,” she said with a smile.  

Ani. Where are you right now?”   

She sat up, instantly alert at the strain in his voice. “I’m at my apartment. Why? What’s wrong?”  

And Bakugo?”   

“He's here." She glanced reflexively at the sour-faced pro-hero who cocked an eyebrow at her. “Why?”  

I need to talk to him.”   

Ani stifled the pout on her own face as she handed her phone over.  

“What.”  

-- 

Ani watched Katsuki’s eyes narrow and his jaw tighten. “How is that possible.”  

Her heartbeat began to speed up at the speed and intensity of Shouto’s voice; she wished she could hear his words but before she could lean in and listen Katsuki threw the covers away and leapt out of bed. He gave terse, one-word answers and grunts to Shouto.  

“I’ll be there as soon as I can,” he snapped and angrily hung up the phone as he finished getting dressed. He was already storming toward the door when Ani called out and he paused. He cut back to the bed and gave her a kiss. “Sorry, almost forgot—” 

“Thanks,” she said with a gentle smirk. “But I also need my phone.”  

He glanced down at his hand and snorted. “Yeah, I guess.” He dropped it in her open palm, grabbed his, and dashed out.  

Ani laid back down in bed and stared at the ceiling. Emotions rolled through her and her mind was a mess of things forgotten and frustration with feelings she didn't understand. The strange intensity she’d been feeling all week was starting to build up again like a forecast of the potent dreams waiting for her in sleep. She couldn’t go to sleep right now. Taking a note from her pro-heroes she quickly changed and laced into her sneakers and went out for a run.  

It was easy to understand why this was so soothing. 

No music, just the rhythmic sound of sneakers scuffing sidewalk as she set a pace away from the faculty dorms deeper into campus. It gave her an outlet for all the stress and tension burning through her body.  

When did she become so overwhelmed?  

As Ani carved a path around the perimeter of campus she tried to be patient with herself. She’d been through a lot in the past few weeks—months—and so had everyone else. She didn’t know how the pros kept up with this feeling. Everything changing so intensely, so fast. She longed for the stability her lost memories could provide.  

Step  

Step  

Step  

Step  

The steady beat of her feet was calming. Out here, in the cool quiet night, she could think. She could breathe.  

She wondered what would happen if she could get her memories back. Would things really change all that much?  

Something about being with Katsuki—or Katsuki and Shouto was starting to mess with her. From what she could remember, she and Shouto had always been...active...but this past week she had felt insatiable. The increasing struggle to do anything except mess around when she was at home and the lack of sleep from those damned dreams. Despite her mind churning with possibilities she felt calm outside of work for the first time all week.  

When the sidewalk split, she chose not to go back to the faculty housing. It was too comforting to be out here under the stars. Soft sounds of the city echoed up in the distance and she wondered where Shouto and Katsuki were. What they were doing. If they were okay.  

As the path wove toward the training grounds a flicker of movement and light caught Ani’s eye. She slowed down to look at the lush garden she’d never noticed before as it swayed in the moonlight. A thin, dirt path cut into the row of hedges and Ani felt like she’d discovered a secret garden as she followed it.  

Flowers with different blossoms, each more beautiful than the last, took her breath away. They seemed to glow in the moonlight and the smell...it was overwhelming. Layered on top of her already heavy breathing from the run she coughed, feeling an uncomfortable pressure in her throat. She quickly turned and escaped the pungent cove but when she tried to resume her pace, she couldn’t.  

She chided herself for being so out of shape. It would be an embarrassment to the professionals around her if they saw how out-of-breath she was from a simple run. Not to mention the burn in her muscles and aching joints.  

Settling for a brisk walk she changed course, heading directly back to her apartment. She was sweating profusely and hoped neither Shouto nor Katsuki would be there when she got back. She definitely needed to shower.  

As she crossed campus another light caught her eye.  

Up in the glass pillars of the main UA building she saw a small pool of yellow light glint as if someone was walking around with a flashlight. She told herself it must be a faculty member. Togota or Shinsou or someone else who forgot something. Maybe even a student who forgot a book or something important for their work due tomorrow.  

Except... 

Tomorrow was Sunday.  

And the pool of light...it wasn’t near any of the classrooms. It was on the faculty floor but, with more consideration, she thought it was odd that a teacher wouldn’t just...turn on the lights.  

Her feet were already taking her closer to the building as she watched the light disappear. She paused.  

Maybe it wasn't anything serious.  

She was about to turn away, she wasn’t far from her building now and she desperately needed a shower, when the light reappeared in her infirmary.  

She ignored the resistance of her tired body and ran.  

Her lungs burned, body protesting, as she sprinted to the building and swiped in—grateful her ID was tucked into her phone case—and climbed the closest staircase as quickly as she could. Her footsteps echoed loudly through the stairwell and she burst out the door onto the floor, racing to her room but whoever had been there was already gone.  

The infirmary was dark and Ani almost doubled over trying to catch her breath. She was really out of shape. She stood up, wiping her brow, and saw doubles...Including the infirmary door left ajar.  

Her pulse would have spiked if her heart wasn’t already pounding. Sliding against the wall, she cautiously stepped inside and flicked the lights on.  

Empty.  

She exhaled a heavy sigh of relief. It was a campus of high schoolers after all. Someone probably heard she had condoms in here and was too afraid to ask so they broke in and— 

 

 

 

The words were still shining, paint wet and dripping down the wall in the angriest red she had ever seen.... 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PRO HERO WHORE  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ani’s vision blurred again but not from being light-headed. Tears fell freely as she rushed to the windows and closed them, hoping no one else was out on campus right now to see the vandalization. She choked back a sob. The slander was starting, as she knew it would...she just never expected it to start on campus. 

Any peace she had cultivated during her run was long gone as she rushed down to the nearest cleaning closest to get a sponge and bucket of soapy water. Her mind was a mess. Someone vandalized school property, she was going to need to report this. Should she take a picture? The thought of showing this to Nezu and having to share the details of her intimate personal life made her cringe. And if her dreams were any indication, she hadn’t sorted out all of her feelings left and wouldn’t have answers for the inevitable questions rushing toward her. 

But the most important thing right now was to get rid of the vandalization as quickly as possible. If the person was trying to do it tonight so the words would dry and be inerasable by Monday morning, she would seize the chance to clean it off before it caused serious problems.  

Trying not to breakdown—or spill the sloshing bucket—she rushed back to her room and nearly collided with the solid wall of a man waiting just inside the doorway. 

“T-Togota!” In the empty building her quiet exclamation had sounded like a shout.  

He turned to face her without his usual cheer; he looked more serious than she had ever seen him.  

“W-what are you doing here?” She asked in a small voice trying to nonchalantly wipe the tears from her face.  

“I saw a flashlight on in the building, thought it was weird.” His eyes were hard sapphires. “Then I saw your light on and got worried.”  

Ani sucked in her lips feeling the smallest she’d ever felt, was she actually shrinking under his scrutinous stare? She didn’t trust herself to talk.  

“Did you see who did this?” He asked in a fierce voice. She shook her head and another tear slipped free. She wiped it away as quickly as she could but Togota’s expression had already begun to soften.  

“I’ll file the report with Nezu in the morning,” she sniffled and shuffled past him, unable to look him in the eye anymore. “Thank you for making sure everything was okay.”  

A firm hand lifted the bucket our of hers.  

“Togota you don’t—”  

“Nehhh,” he sighed with an easy smile back on his face. “I was just thinking about how I wanted to clean something.” He strode across the infirmary to the wall and Ani’s heart felt blocked up.  

“Seriously,” she said as she joined him and took the sponge. “It’s the weekend. You should be relaxing and having fun.”  

“I am!” His smile shined a bright as the sun. “I’m hanging out with a friend. What could be better on a Saturday night?”  

Despite all the feelings wrenching through her, Ani couldn’t help the small smile that crept onto her own face under the tinge of embarrassment.  

“Thanks,” she murmured as Togota took a sponge and began scrubbing at the far end of the angry red words. “I appreciate it.”  

A strange hesitation held her back as she looked at the giant letters. On the back of Togota’s neck, peeking out from the collar of his shirt was the tip of a scar; Ani glanced down at her own unscarred skin. She’d been through so much and yet...to look at her...it would seem like she’d never faced any hardships. Her quirk never left any reminders. Again she found herself wondering about all the things she couldn’t remember. When she picked up the sponge and joined Togota at the wall, it was only at the beginning of the last word; he gave her a curious look.  

“There’s no reason to erase all of it...because I have an idea...” she said timidly with a hesitant smile. The shift of his expression to one of intrigue encouraged her to go on. “Maybe I can turn this into something positive? Like...a mural in tribute to pro-heroes?”  

Togata’s eyes shined. “Now you’re starting to sound like one.”  

"A teacher?" Ani laughed, scrubbing. “I’m trying. All about helping the students, right?”  

“No—well, I mean yes. It is very teacherly. But it’s also like a pro.”  

“A pro hero ?”  

Togota nodded. “My old mentor used to say that a world without smiles and humor has no bright future. Taking a bad situation and finding the good in it? Fighting through someone’s attempt to bring you down and shine on others?” Togtoa tilted another blinding smile toward her. “He would approve.”  

“Thanks,” Ani said feeling the last of her sadness dry up. A steady stream of conversation flowed between them as they washed away the hateful word that didn’t take long, thanks to the freshness of the paint. They stood back and admired the handiwork.  

“You sure you want to leave the rest up?” Togata asked without judging.  

Ani nodded. “On their own they don’t look so bad. With some work it could be something inspiring.”  

“And I know exactly who to call for help!” Togota snapped his fingers, whipping out his phone. “Shinsou! Care to take a break from unpacking and help with something?”  

-- 

“A painting!” 

-- 

Togota laughed. “I saw your art supplies today when we moved you in!” He grinned victoriously. “Good. Bring your supplies to the infirmary." He hung up and gave Ani a giant thumbs up. “He’ll be over soon.”  

“Thanks,” Ani said with a weak smile. She was unsure how she felt about involving someone else but it was too late, now. At least the word ‘whore’ was gone...though she wasn’t sure how she would explain this situation to Shinsou.  

She tried to shrug it off, leaving the issue to figure out in the moment.  

“I’m going to put this stuff away before he gets here.” She took the cleaning supplies back to the closet, rinsing and returning them to their places before heading back to the infirmary. Togota surprised her by walking down the hall from the opposite direction. “Where are you coming from?”  

“Security.” He held up a small flash drive. “I absolutely support your idea to change the graffiti into a mural. We also need to know who did t, though we can figure out how to handle it later.”  

Ani smiled in relief that he wasn't going to go off on a crusade. “Okay. You’re probably right: we can’t just let them get away with it.”  

“Get away with what?” Shinsou’s level voice as he emerged from a nearby stairwell made Ani jump.  

“Not sharing your talents with us!” Togota smoothly replied, sensing Ani’s discomfort about explaining what happened. “I can’t wait to see what you can do.”  

He led them into the infirmary and Ani’s throat tightened at the rise of Shinsou’s brow when he saw the large letters. He glanced at Ani but if he suspected something he didn’t say it; he simply set down his box of paint and brushes and listened as Togota animatedly described the different things they could do.  

Ani felt a swell of appreciation for her new friends. Their actions spoke of nothing but support and comradery, not once making Ani feel judged or shamed from the strange situation. Instead of sadness the infirmary was filled with comfortable conversation and friendship as if this was a completely normal Saturday night activity. And when they stepped back Ani’s jaw dropped in awe.  

Bands of color swirled around the words, accented to inspire and motivate the patients who would eventually lay beneath them.  

“Thank you,” Ani whispered reverently, unable to look away from the uplifting masterpiece. “Both of you.”  

“Thanks to all of us,” Togota cheered. “It looks awesome!”  

“It did come out rather well,” noted Shinsou. 

The three of them stood for another long moment admiring their work before Ani turned guiltily to Shinsou.  

“I’m sorry we used up so much of your paint. Can I replenish your stock?”  

“If it would make you feel better.”  

Ani nodded. “It would. Thank you for coming to help us.”  

“No problem.” 

Guilt continued to sink through Ani’s stomach. “Shinsou...I have something to admit.” The air around the three of them stiffened as the indigo-haired man waited quietly. “This wasn’t just a project for fun...” She hesitated. “Someone vandalized the infirmary earlier...Togota helped me clean it up but I wanted to try and turn it into something positive so we called you for help. I’m sorry I wasn’t honest about what we were doing.” Her gaze fell to the floor in embarrassment.  

“I understand.”  

Ani glanced up, sensing the weight in his tone. “You do?”  

“I was treated poorly most of my childhood, made fun of for the nefarious application of my quirk...And cast as a degenerate because of it before I was known for who I was.” He looked away. “So I know what it’s like to be judged...especially by your peers.”  

“I’m so sorry Shinsou,” Ani quietly offered.  

His voice was even when he responded “I forgive you. It was Bakugo’s fault anyway.”  

Wait.  

Ani’s brow furrowed as she looked at Shinsou. “What?”  

“You trusted your friend, I can’t blame you for that.”  

“No, what do you mean? When I was kidnapped by the League of Villains a few months ago, they erased a lot of my memories from the past few years and it sounds like you're talking about something I don't remember.” She cringed. “Have we...have we met before?”  

Shinsou’s dark eyes turned to her with a hint of surprise. “We were never introduced but yes. We both attended a Halloween party a few years ago.”  

Ani covered her mouth. “Oh my gosh, Shinsou I’m so sorry! Whatever I did, I didn’t mean—”  

“It’s okay.” He looked away. “I didn’t realize you didn’t remember.”  

“What did I do?” Ani asked hesitantly.  

“Nothing really. You asked Bakugo who I was and he described my ability in an unsavory way without trying to be discrete. Being friends, you took his words at face value.” He cleared his throat. “I was never afforded an opportunity to counter his words.”  

“However he described you before, I know you’re much more than that...and I’m glad to have you as a friend." Ani smiled. "Thanks for giving me a second chance.” She wrinkled her nose, realizing that at least part of his reserved nature was because of this. “And thank you for being so tolerant of Katsuki’s presence the past week. That must have been rather unpleasant for you...sorry.”  

“It’s no problem,” Shinsou mumbled and rubbed his neck as he looked away.

There was an awkward moment of silence before Togota cleared his throat from the other side of the room. Ani and Shinsou looked over their shoulders at the same time.  

“Sorry to interrupt but do you want to know who vandalized your office?”  

Ani rushed over to see the screen paused on a clear view of a student fleeing the building a few hours ago. “I don’t recognize her. Do either of you?”  

Shinsou shook his head and Togota cupped his chin. “I think she's a third year but I can’t quite place her name. Is she...could she be in one of the non-hero courses?”  

“Maybe,” sighed Ani. It seemed like more people were going to have to get involved after all.  

Chapter 121: Take Care of It

Chapter Text

Shouto leaned back in his chair as he watched Bakugo’s red irises flare with anger.

After he scanned the last page he looked up and barked “okay, when did you get this?” He flung the folder back onto Shouto’s desk and the pages spilled out.

Shouto’s nostrils flared as he surveyed the pictures: Bakugo leaning in suspiciously to Ani as he caged her in against the wall of her infirmary, multiple pictures of Bakugo coming and going from the faculty dorms on campus in different clothes. Though the glass lobby was tinted there was one picture at night taken as Bakugo was walking through the doors, Ani waiting inside. It was hard to see if anyone else was waiting in the lobby. But the evidence of Bakugo’s presence around Ani wasn’t the real problem.

It was the letter.

A few short sentences that were a mix of concern for Shouto as well as an anonymous student testimony that Bakugo had come to a class and Ani had called him by name. The implication of the letter was clear: his girlfriend was cheating on him and he should break up with her. If he didn’t...the pictures would be sent to the press.

“I received it right before I called.” Shouto’s fury broiled beneath his calm exterior.

Bakugo demanded “and how did you get it?”

“It appeared on the agency’s doorstep, here. My staff thought it was odd that a letter could simply drop from the sky on it’s own so they called. I came. And here we are,” he explained flatly. “I needed to make you aware of the situation.”

“Make me aware?” snapped Bakugo. “You think I’m not going to do anything about this?!”

“I’ll take care of it,” assured Shouto.

Bakugo leapt from the chair and slammed his palms on the table, leaving scorch marks. “Not necessary?! You’re not the one in the photos, dumbass! This is going to hurt Ani way more than it’s going to hurt you if it gets out!” He gestured angrily at the papers. “I’m going to find out who the fuck did this and—”

“I already know who did it.”

 

 

 

 

Shouto stepped out of the courtroom, mind reeling after everything he had seen through Bakugo’s memory. He needed to catch his breath and be alone for a few moments before he could listen to anymore but the solitude didn’t last long. A door down the hall opened and Bakugo stepped out, eyes narrowing when he noticed Shouto.

“I’m surprised you stayed for all of that,” the ash-blonde gruffly noted.

Shouto rested his head back against the wall and closed his eyes. “Why wouldn’t I?” By the sound he could tell the other pro took up a spot on the opposite wall.

“Dunno. Just seemed like you wouldn’t want to see yourself like that.”

“I’m more ashamed Ani saw me like that than anyone else.”

“Tch,” Bakugo mumbled. “As if she cared. She was just happy to find you still alive.”

Shouto nodded slowly, weighing his words. “Did you notice she never responded to your feelings?”

“What?”

Shouto shifted his heterochromatic gaze to Bakugo. “When you were in the alley and confessed your feelings for her...she never denied them or rejected them...she didn’t even respond to them at all.”

“Yeah, because she was so focused on you, dumbass,” snarled Bakugo in irritation. “You were all she could think about and you don’t have to remind me that she chose you.” He pushed off the wall but Shouto’s words made him pause before he could stride away.

“What if she didn’t have to choose?”

Bakugo’s back tensed but he stayed silent and didn’t turn around.

Shouto reflected on all the times Bakugo had helped Ani—and not just with this recent incident. There had been so many times before, in both big and small situations, that the ash-blonde had been there for Ani...and she so clearly had come to value him.

It was evident that Ani loved Shouto. There would never be a doubt about it in his mind about it but what if she was repressing part of herself because she loved him so much? He knew better than anyone how buried feelings can fester and poison one’s mind and he did not want that to happen to Ani. He wanted her to be happy, no matter what.

“What if she was able to spend time with both of us?” Shouto asked.

Bakugo slowly looked over his shoulder and asked in a dangerously quiet voice “what the hell are you saying?”

“Exactly that. What if she didn’t have to choose between us?” Shouto shrugged. “I’m in no way relinquishing my feelings or relationship with her, I’m just wondering if there’s a way we could—”

“What, share her?” Bakugo growled as he faced Shouto. “You think she’s some kind of car we can take turns using?”

“No,” Shouto’s words cut through the air...and though Bakugo looked angry, Shouto recognized the flicker of hope in his eyes. “I’m saying that if you were respectful of boundaries...and honorable about the situation...and Ani reciprocated your feelings...I would welcome you into our lives.”

Bakugo gaped angrily at Shouto for a long moment and in the silence Shouto caught a dark shift at the other end of the hallway: a ponytail swinging out of sight.

 

 

 

 

 

“Who?” Bakugo demanded, lifting his palms up so little explosions could pop in the air. Shouto hadn’t seen Bakugo look so demonic since their years in school.

“Why do you want to know?” Shouto asked flatly.

“Because I’m gonna burn their building to the ground for messing with her!”

“Do not burn my building down,” warned Shouto as towers of fire roared upwards to meet an instantly-ice-covered ceiling.

Shouto didn’t miss how Bakugo’s attention went right to how it would affect Ani; a lesser person would have seized the opportunity to drive a wedge between Shouto and Ani, using the situation to their own advantage. Bakugo didn’t even consider trying to pressure Shouto into breaking up with Ani to protect her.

He smirked; he had been right to trust him.

“How can you not be angry about this?!” Bakugo shouted.

“Oh, I am.” He felt his smirk deepen, knowing if Ani were here she would absolutely be able to tell. “I’m just saving my fury for the appropriate party.”

“And you’re not going to give me the same opportunity?!” Bakugo’s raging expression held a strange coherent clarity. “I love her, too, you know! And this involves me! I deserve to be a part of this!”

“I suppose that’s reasonable.” Shouto nodded, slowly rising from his chair. “Fine, you can come with me.” He looked at his peer squarely. “As long as you can keep it together.”

“Yeah, that’s not gonna happen.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ani was exhausted when she finally left the main UA building with Shinsou and Togota.

“Thank you both again," Ani said with a yawn. "I'm sorry I took up your whole Saturday night."

“It’s fine!” Togota reassured her. “Like I said, hanging out with friends? What could be better for a Saturday night.”

“And now that we know who did it—” Shinsou started.

“And have a plan in place to deal with them on Monday—” Togota cut in.

“You can sleep easy tonight,” finished Shinsou.

“You’re right. And for everything that’s happened recently, this hasn’t been that bad,” responded Ani with a tired smile. “I would offer to treat the two of you to something but I have to be up early tomorrow for community service. Another time?”

“Absolutely.” Togota gave her a huge thumbs up as the faculty dorm came into view and anything she was going to say was forgotten as she caught sight of two people walking up to their building. One spikey head of hair followed, with elated surprise, by a red-and-white one.

Ani’s heart leapt out of her chest and she found some last crumb of energy to sprint ahead.

“SHOUTO!” She shouted and he looked up in surprise just in time to catch her as she threw herself at him. “I didn’t know you were going to be here tonight!”

“Tch, I’m right here goldilocks,” grumbled Bakugo as Togota and Shinsou joined the group. Ani gave him a big grin.

“I’m happy to see you, too, of course but—”

“I know, I know. It’s a surprise to see him.” The explosive pro waved her off and gave the other two men a lackluster greeting.

Ani’s smile returned to Shouto whose eyes glowed in the night. “Hi.”

“Hi,” he said voice rumbling deeply through her in the most satisfying way. The corners of his mouth tipped up in a smile. “I missed you.”

“I missed you, too.” She hugged him tightly, listening to his heartbeat as she rested her head on his chest, blissfully unaware of the small-talk happening near them. “I’m so glad to see you.”

“Me, too.” He finally acknowledged the other two people who had walked up. “Togota. Shinsou. Nice to see you both.”

Togota laughed. “You don’t have to pretend. We know who you’re really here for.” He and Shinsou bid the small group a good night and went inside.

“Oi,” Bakugo demanded to Ani who peeked out from Shouto’s arms. “What were you doing out so late with them?!”

Her eyes fell and Shouto’s arms tensed around her, sensing her distress. “I’ll tell you inside.”

“Then let’s go!” Bakugo stomped into the building. Shouto took Ani's hand and they joined him in the now-empty lobby.

Ani leaned against Shouto as Bakugo seethed during the elevator ride and the moment they were in her apartment, Bakugo met her face-to-face.

“Well?” He angrily demanded again.

“Ani...” Shouto’s voice was calmer. He was clearly jealous, too, but sensed there was a good reason for the situation. “What’s going on?”

She took a steadying breath and looked between them. “A student vandalized the infirmary.”

“WHAT?!”

“What?! Who?!” 

“The who is not important,” answered Ani. “We’re going to deal with them on Monday morning. We already cleaned up the graffiti tonight.”

Bakugo was about to shout but Shouto cut him off. “Wait, graffiti?”

Ani met his eye for a moment before looking away with an embarrassed nod.

“What did it say?” Shouto asked cautiously.

“ ‘Pro Hero Whore’.”

Silence fell between the three of them: one of embarrassment for Ani, a bubbling one of rage, and another of concern.

“Ani—”

“Who the hell did this?!” Bakugo snarled.

Ani looked at them both again, trying to face them evenly. “I told you, it doesn’t matter. They’re going to be dealt with through the school. And besides—” she stopped Katsuki from interrupting “—it’s already cleaned up. No one else saw it, except for Togota, and Shinsou helped turn it into a mural. So there’s no harm done.”

“Sure there isn’t!” Katsuki grumbled and threw his hands up in the air. “At least we know where the pictures came from!”

An awkward beat of silence.

“...Pictures?” Ani asked. As she watched them exchange a quick glance it was their turn to look away from her. “What are you talking about?”

Shouto cleared his throat. “Someone took pictures of Bakugo around you on campus. They were threatening to send them to the media.”

Ani’s eyes grew wide and she began to panic. “What?! Who? How!” Before her mind could spiral out of control Shouto cupped her cheeks.

“It’s fine.” His thumbs brushed her skin. “We’ve already dealt with it, too, so no harm done.”

But that wasn’t true.

It was pure luck that Shouto had caught the message before it could reach the media. “How do you know it’s not going to happen again?” Ani asked with growing nausea. She didn't notice Katsuki pulling up a video on her computer until he angled the screen toward her from the kitchen table.

“Because, we took care of it.” His tone was final and she looked at the video.

Her lips slowly parted as she watched and realized what it meant. “...But...why?” Her eyes shifted back to Shouto’s face as he leaned in.

“Because I love you,” he whispered, brushing his lips on hers. “And I would do anything for you.”

Chapter 122: The Offer

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ani cracked her neck as the call rang through and she waited for her brother to pick up.  

“Ani!” A chipper voice answered the phone and Ani smiled.  

“Hi Hana, how are you?”  

“I’m so good, thank you for asking! Aino just took me to have tayaki and,” the sidekick happily recounted the special Sunday she spent with Ani’s older brother barely taking a breath. “Sorry I answered his phone; he’s in the bathroom and when I heard his phone ringing and saw it was you I couldn’t resist because it feels like it’s been forever since we talked!”  

“It has,” Ani answered and sadly remembered the rift that had formed between herself and Shouto’s three main sidekicks—people she had been friends with until...well. Until recently. “How’s everything in Dagoben?”  

Hana chattered in a steady stream about the low-level offenses they handled recently, the absence of any major incidents, and the rising morale in the agency. “How’s UA?”  

“It’s good,” answered Ani simply, unable to isolate any details she wanted to share. When she didn’t elaborate Hana hesitated before moving on.  

“Well, that’s good. We miss you a lot, Aino, too, so if you have a chance to come visit us sometime soon we would love to see you!”  

Ani heard her brother’s voice in the background.  

“It’s Ani!” Hana answered his muffled question. “Sure, here she is. Bye Ani!”  

"Bye Hana,” she said but was sure the girl had already handed off the phone.  

“Hey,” her brother answered.  

“Hey Aino, how’s it going?”  

He chuckled. “Good, I’m sure you’ve already heard everything.”  

“Yeah.” Ani smirked. “I did.”  

“And you?”  

“It’s fine...I just finished my first day of community service.” She rested her head on the back of the couch, stretching her toes.  

“This late?”  

She could imagine his frown as he glanced at the time. “Yeah....I could have left earlier but I didn’t want to. There were a few patients I was able to help with and I forgot how rewarding it was to work in that kind of place.”  

“The instant impact?”  

“Exactly.” She smiled and closed her eyes, seeing the mix of faces she’d helped both patients, doctors, and nurses throughout the day. It was immensely satisfying. “And since Shouto and Bakugo are both out on rounds I thought I’d call and say hi. You know, not just because I need something.”  

“Sorry again about that.” His wince was almost audible.  

“It’s okay...you were right. I’m glad things are going well for you at least.”  

“Thanks. Hey, I heard back from my colleague—Dr. Jokatu? from the neuroscience department at M-U? He said there’s a lot still being studied about memory processing but whether or not you could get it back depends on what that woman did. Do you know anything about her or her quirk or how it worked?”  

“No,” answered Ani but before she could be crestfallen Aino continued.  

“That’s okay. He said there are some options with neuroimaging to look at what’s going on in your brain. Once we have an accurate picture, we could see if this girl’s rewind-quirk could work.”  

Hope dawned in Ani’s heart. “Thanks, Aino.”  

“Of course.”  

She could hear the smile in his voice and it made her grin. “How’re things going with you and Hana?” she asked in a quiet voice.  

Aino laughed. “Well. They’re going really well.”  

“Good. I’m glad.” They chatted lightly, sharing a few more details about their day before they ended the call and Ani’s attention drifted to the window. It was still raining—it had started last night and rained all through the day but Ani didn’t mind. Last night was the first night she slept soundly, undisturbed by graphic dreams and a rush of hormones. She woke up feeling well rested, tucked between Shouto and Katsuki before she had to start her day and was looking forward to snuggling between them both again tonight. In the meantime she settled into her work preparing the lesson plans for her new class that was going to begin this week.  

What felt like only a few minutes, but was really hours later, her phone beeped. It was Katsuki; He was following a case out of the city and wouldn’t be back until tomorrow. While she was sad she wasn’t going to get to see him she realized it had been a while since she and Shouto had time alone together and was looking forward to it. She wondered if Katsuki had texted him about it, too, because not long after he let himself into Ani’s apartment.  

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

 

 

On Monday morning Ani was sitting at her desk, trying to look busy when the knock came at her door.  

“Come in,” she said nonchalantly as if this was no big deal.  

A young girl came in and quickly scanned the room for Ani. “Miss Shida?” she said, eyes falling on the school nurse who looked up.  

“Yes. Mitayo.” Ani stood up and gestured for her to come in. “Please, close the door behind you.” 

If the girl was nervous or guilty or worried it didn’t show; she didn’t even look surprised at the mural. “You called for me?”  

“I did. Have a seat.” The young girl sat down across from Ani who was already sitting again, watching the teen closely. “Miss Mitayo, I don’t want to waste any time with subtleties. I know you are the student who vandalized my office this weekend.”  

The girl stiffened but stifled any other reaction.  

“I was wondering what would have motivated you to do such a thing,” continued Ani as she opened the folder in front of her. “It wasn’t difficult to make the connection. Your older sister works for the pro-hero Creati; the very same pro-hero who attempted to blackmail Mr. Todoroki in order to meddle in his relationships with pictures of myself and Mr. Bakugo.” Ani spread out the pictures. “Pictures taken on school grounds that only a student had access to.”  

The color slowly drained from the color of the girl’s face.  

“Miss Mitayo, did you take these pictures?” Ani asked.  

The young girl looked away, lips pressed tightly together.  

Ani’s gaze softened. “...A few months ago...I was kidnapped and passed between the League of Villains and another group called the Absolved,” she said softly. “When I was in their custody...one of them shared their story with me. She told me about her years in school and how she was never given a chance to make up for her bad choices."  

Mitayo’s eyes cautiously shifted back to Ani.  

“Vandalizing my office alone calls for suspension,” explained Ani. “If these pictures were investigated, and confirmed to be taken by you, you would be expelled.”

“And what?” the girl asked testily. “You’re telling me I’m going to get expelled and become a villain?”  

“If that’s what you want,” answered Ani evenly. “But I think you were motivated more for the positive feelings you have for your heroes than you were by the negative things you feel toward me.”  

Ani hadn’t missed the two dots, one red on her left wrist, one blue on her right.  

“And I think whoever took these photos,” she gestured to the folder. “Was trying to look out for Todoroki Shouto and protect him. Otherwise they would have been released already.”  

Something about Mitayo’s posture had changed and she shifted uncomfortably.  

“So...” Ani chose her words carefully. “I’m giving you the chance to redeem yourself.”  

After a long moment Mitayo lifted her gaze to Ani’s. “How?”  

“By working in the infirmary.”  

The girl’s dark-brown brow lifted. “With you?”  

“Yes. If you take it seriously.” Ani closed the folder. “If you come here with an open mind and work hard, it will make amends for your vandalization.”  

Mitayo rolled the offer over in her mind. “How do I know you’re not just doing this to cover up your affair?” She cocked an eyebrow. “Save face in front of your colleagues and boss so no one finds out?”  

Ani smiled politely. “Nezu already knows. I’m offering this to you with his approval.” She gestured to the painting. “And my colleagues are the ones who helped me turn your graffiti into something positive...something that will hopefully inspire instead of tear others down.”  

Mitayo’s green eyes fell to her lap as she picked at a fingernail. “What do you even want me to do here? I’m not a nurse or anything.”  

“You’ll be helping me teach a first-aid class for the hero students. It starts this week.”  

“The hero students?” Mitayo’s eyes lit up.  

Ani stifled her smile. “Yes.”  

Mitayo chewed on her lip, a glimmer of youth and innocence shining through and Ani waited patiently. “So...if I help you...I won’t get in trouble?”  

“Not for this, no,” chortled Ani. “As long as you don’t do anything like this again, you’ll be forgiven by the school.”  

Mitayo met Ani’s eyes warily for a moment, searching for a sign of animosity as if Ani was trying to trick her. It was a look Ani had seen in the eye of skeptical patients before and knew the only way to change their mind was over time.  

“Okay...” Mitayo cautiously accepted. “I’ll do it.”  

Notes:

I have to admit that I'm treading carefully within the UA campus. I enjoy Horikoshi's universe and want to do it justice so bear with me. I want to put up quality work as always so it's taken a little longer than expected. Thank you for coming back :)

Chapter 123: Accepted

Chapter Text

Shouto glanced at his phone, the text from Ani.  

 

She took it!   

 

He smiled. Good.   

 

😊    

 

He resisted the urge to text back again, knowing she was observing a training session. Their night together last night had been cathartic. The moment he walked into Ani’s apartment he knew Katsuki had texted her, too, and she clearly caught the timing of his arrival.  

 

“Hi,” she said, meeting him halfway across the apartment.

“Hi.” He leaned into her hand as she brushed the hair out of his face. He hadn't noticed how long it had grown until she did.  

“It’s nice to see you,” she said softly. He simply ‘mm-ed’ in response and they slid together like pieces of a puzzle with a sigh. “Aino heard back from the neurologist he knows.”   

“And?” Shouto held his breath.

“They can take a look and see if it’s possible...there’s a chance it could work.”   

“How do you feel about that?” His heart lit up as he could feel her smile.   

“Hopeful.” She squeezed him against her. “I’m trying not to get too excited though.”   

He laughed once, quietly; he knew the feeling. When she told him on Saturday night, he could see Bakugo’s clear unhappiness and didn’t blame him for it. Shouto understood how and why he felt the way he did...but whatever empathy he had toward his peer could not touch the radiating happiness that was dawning inside of him.   

He thought of the document he’d made for her so many months ago with the sad attempts to recapture treasured moments they shared. He had only seen her reading it a few times but knew she had looked at it a lot from the worn, creased pages. The possibility that she could have all of that back...he had no words.   

He had pulled her to his lips then, kissing her deeply, melting into one another until they had fallen asleep, entwined in her bed.   

 

Shouto leaned back, bouncing slightly in his chair as he stared out over Dagoben. Anti-hero sentiments had turned out to be short-lived once the Absolved were gone. When the mayor reinstated the ban on quirk-use in public by civilians he worried people would be enraged, but any opposition fizzled out. People still had a lot of trust in their pro-heroes and didn’t want to see them going anywhere.  

It was a relief for Shouto.  

He was having a hard enough time dividing his time between the two cities and trying to get over everything that happened. If the city had pushed back on the ban being reinstated, undermining the power of pro-heroes, the city would have become a hot-bed of crime. It was the last thing he wanted. For both selfish and selfless reasons. But everything was running smoothly again in Dagoben and his agency in Musutafu. So, when his phone rang a few days later, and Togota made an interesting request he was happy to agree.  

 

 

 

~  

 

By the end of their first week together Mitayo calmed down around Ani. What started out as a tense, uncomfortable arrangement graually relaxed until Mitayo was helping Ani without scowling. Mitayo even asked a few questions here and there about the things she was teaching and it made her wonder if Mitayo might be interested in a medical career. Cautiously hopeful, she invited Mitayo to come with her to observe one of the hero student's training session. To Ani's surprise, Mitayo said yes.

Whether it was the fact that it was a Friday afternoon, Mitayo got to miss class, or she was going to watch the hero students, there was a hint of excitement playing around Mitayo's expression.

“Whose class are we going to?” Mitayo asked as they walked across campus.  

“Mr. Togota’s class,” answered Ani with a glance at the young girl trying to hide her enthusiasm.

“Second-year students?” Mitayo asked with a hint of reverence.  

Ani nodded, giving the girl a smile. “Yes. I usually observe the first-years because they have the most accidents, having the least fighting experience. By their second year they've usually got a pretty good sense of their limits but Mr. Togota asked me to be there today. He said something about a special training session.”  

Ani led Mitayo into the training ground and didn't say anything as the girl's eyes widened. She gaped at the stadium that was the size of several city blocks and built up just like one, too. In the observation room they found a group of students babbling excitedly in front of a row of screens as Togota was finishing his instructions.  

“So that’s all we have to do?” One student in the middle asked. “That’s basically just a scavenger hunt.”  

Togota grinned, an expression that everyone was used to seeing. "Then this should be no problem.” He caught sight of Ani and waved; everyone turned to see who was entering. “You’ve all met Miss Shida, the school nurse. She’ll be observing our class today.”  

Someone snorted. “Seriously. A nurse, just for a game?”  

There was a quiet pause and then a few whispers wove through the group. Ani saw the message quickly sink in for the students: this was more than just a fun lesson, but before anyone of them could ask any questions Togota clapped loudly.  

“Alright, head on down! You’ll only have forty-five minutes after the buzzer sounds.”  

The students filed out past Ani and Mitayo, their expressions shifting as they began taking the situation seriously. Togota gestured for the two of them to join him at the wall of monitors which Ani could now see also had a large window overlooking the cityscape. 

She eyed Togota’s beaming face with friendly skepticism. “What are you planning?”  

“A break from the normal...just to keep them on their toes.” He looked to the student at Ani’s side. “You must be Miss Mitayo.”  

She bowed her head. “Yes, Mr Togota. Thank you for letting me be here.”  

“Of course!” He glanced below and saw his students starting to appear through the main gates and checked his watch. He muttered “I didn’t expect them to be late.”  

Ani was about to comment that the students had only just left, when a voice behind her cut in.  

“Oi. I’m never late.”  

Mitayo and Togota turned to the door but every muscle in Ani’s body clenched.

Honestly. Of all the days and all the classes for him to pop into. Mitayo was finally starting to warm up to her! 

“Ground Zero!” Togota said in a cheerfully welcome tone. Ani  was acutely aware of Mitayo’s attention shifting back-and-forth.  

"Lemillion." The scuff of his heavy-duty boots told her he was dressed in his hero uniform. “What the hell, goldilocks. You just going to pretend I’m not here?" 

Ani turned. “I thought you weren’t going to make impromptu visits to the classes anymore.” Her voice was too tight--she was failing at staying calm--when she asked “maybe you can go wait in my office?” 

Katsuki sauntered over with a haughty grin but the next voice came from the doorway.  

“Aw...don’t tell me you’re kicking us out.”  

“Sho...” Ani’s lips parted as she glanced between both men, trying not to hyperventilate with Mitayo watching. She cleared her throat. “W-what are you guys doing here?” 

Katsuki threw an arm around Ani’s shoulders and pulled her in, kissing her hair. “Tch, don’t pretend like you’re not happy to see us.”  

Heat flushed Ani’s face as panic set in but before she could say or do anything Shouto joined them, pecking her lips making no motion to push Katsuki away.

What the fuck was happening....Ani was freaking out inside. What the fuck were they thinking?! Did they not realize there was a student--the student--right there?!

Shouto turned his attention approvingly down to the students. “Looks like they’re all set.” 

Katsuki glanced over his shoulder down into the training grounds as a sharp buzzer sounded, echoing across the cityscape. “Well...are we going down?”  

“Wait, what?” Ani asked completely confused as Shouto and Katsuki looked to Togota.

“They’re my guests for today. Here to surprise my students and help me in the training exercise.” Togota beamed proudly at her. “Sorry. Must have forgot to mention it!”  

Ani's eyes popped open. Togota definitely knew who Mitayo was and why she was with Ani; why the hell had he agreed to this?!!

Her head was starting to hurt she was so confused.

She turned to watch the groups of students running off in different directions, not ready to see the look on Mitayo's face. "So...what are you guys doing to help today?"

Katsuki's eyes gleamed. "We're--"

"Nope," Shouto said with a cheeky smirk as he clapped a hand around Katuski's mouth.

"I told you," Togota happily offered "it's a surprise!"

"Ugh, what the fuck half-and-half?!" Katsuki snapped as he shoved Shouto's hand away and the red-white head laughed deeply.

"Language!" She scolded Katsuki while her heart fluttered at the sound. 

Shouto caught his breath after a moment and said, still chuckling, "that was my right hand. You can get your tongue stuck if you lick something frozen."

"Yeah, I'll give you something lick," muttered Katsuki angrily.

"Katsuki!" Ani nearly shouted, growing more and more frustrated by the minute. Both men stopped, shifting their eyes to her. She was staring at them, fists clenched, nostrils flared, and gestured with a tight expression to her side. "Knock it off...There is a student here."

"Sorry," Shouto quietly said, straightening up. Katsuki crossed his arms and rolled his eyes. 

"Alright, alright." Togota cut in, putting a hand on each of the other men's shoulders. "Let's get to it, gentlemen."

"Fine," grumbled Katsuki. He swooped in and kissed Ani; before she could react Shouto did the same. 

"See you in a while," he said. Ani smiled, softening under his heterochromatic gaze as he backed toward the door. 

"Yeah." She smirked. "Please be careful out there."

"Who do you think we are, goldilocks?! As if a bunch of kids could hurt us."

"It's the kids I'm worried about!" she shouted as the three men disappeared.

She took a deep breath and, knowing she couldn’t avoid it anymore, turned to Mitayo.  

The student made no effort to hide her scrutiny. “I didn’t know they would be here,” admitted Ani. “I’m sorry if they made you uncomfortable.” 

“I don’t understand...” Mitayo said warily. “I thought you were Shouto’s girlfriend?”  

“I am.” She forced herself to stay focused on Mitayo despite the desperate urge to look away.  

The teenager lifted an eyebrow. “But...what’s the deal with Ground Zero? Why did he just kiss you, too? And like right in front of Shouto?! And it didn’t even make Shouto upset!! They're joking around like they're--they're friends!” Mitayo’s hands were gesturing wildly. “What the hell?!”  

“I’m with...both...of them,” Ani offered.

Mitayo’s mouth dropped and her eyes widened. "And Shouto’s just...okay with that?!" she asked rhetorically, having seen it firsthand.

“He is.” Ani nodded. “He’s actually the one who encouraged me to give Katsuki a chance.”  

Mitayo looked away, eyes unfocusing as she processed this information. “Holy shit...” Time ticked away silently in the observation room and Ani’s attention drifted out over the cityscape. Her brow furrowed as she realized the training ground was quiet.  

Too quiet.  

“That’s... bad ass,” Mitayo said and Ani looked at her, taken aback by the girl's tone. Mitayo was looking at Ani in a new light, as if she could learn a lot more than just first aid from her. Ani silently released a breath she didn't realize she was holding but she wasn't sure that she deserved nor liked being the object of such reverence. She didn't know what to say in the student's awed silence.

An explosion filled the silence for her.  

Chapter 124: Hypocenter

Notes:

<3 thanks for waiting and coming back <3

Chapter Text

Ani’s attention returned to the monitors as she watched Katsuki openly fighting with a group of students. They seemed to be hunting for something in the building, as she overheard, and the number three pro hero was now in their way. He was aggressively interfering taking on the six students all at once after catching them completely off-guard.

“He’s not going to pull any punches," Ani groaned and rubbed her forehead as he released explosion after explosion.

“Villains won’t either,” Mitayo murmured excitedly. She was standing at Ani’s side watching the growing brawl with wide, hungry eyes.

Ani glanced at her, unsure how she felt about Katsuki going at the students like this. The students were reacting as quickly as they could, trying to regroup and strategize as they searched for their objective. Katsuki’s explosive attacks were cutting up the sound too much; Ani couldn’t hear what they were saying.

On other screens Ani could see a second group of students slowly realizing they weren’t alone either. As ice closed in around them, they scrambled to understand what was happening. Ani could hear them slowly figuring out an adversary was messing with them but, unlike Katuski, Shouto had yet to reveal himself.

At first, Ani couldn’t understand Togota’s thinking. Katsuki and the students fighting him were all offensive players; their fight was intense and aggressive. Katsuki seemed to thrive on their confrontation and the cycle escalated. Shouto’s fight was elusive. The quirks of the students in his group were defensive...It didn’t make any sense...Why pair up such similar fighting styles together?

Ani held her chin, subconsciously mimicking Midoriya, as she puzzled over Togota’s real objective of the class. She caught flashes of his uniform in and out of various screens. He was staying on the peripheral of both fights; Ani assumed he was keeping watch on his students’ progress since he wasn’t in the observation room.

Katsuki grinned with an eerie glee as his students tried to divide and conquer in their fight against him but he simply countered by decimating the entire interior.

They were all so engaged, fighting so furiously they didn’t see the cracks until it was too late.

The structure collapsed.

And from the look on Katsuki’s face in the seconds before the cameras blacked out, it was not a planned part of the training.

Ani’s eyes widened with horror as she saw, on another screen, explosions happening within the rubble. Katsuki must have been trying to blow the debris away before it could entomb them but it only weakened the surrounding buildings and they fell, too. By the time the third building fell, the explosions had stopped.

The unplanned demolition triggered an alarm.

Shouto—who had finally revealed himself to the students—felt the tremors and Ani saw the expression on his face as he recognized the scale of whatever just happened. And the alarm only confirmed his suspicions. As his attention shifted, so did the attention of his class. They changed course, quickly following the number one pro hero out onto the street.

Ani tried all the buttons on the small control panel, anything to make an announcement or call out into the course. Nothing worked. She whipped out her cellphone and both Shouto and Katsuki’s numbers went straight to voicemail. She had to get out there; it was clear this was beyond the scope of the training exercise.

Without hesitation she flung her medical pack onto her back and dashed for the door.

But it was locked.

“What?” Ani said aloud in confused frustration. She pulled harder, yanking the handle with all her strength, to no avail.

“Uh...Miss Shida...?” Mitayo called nervously from the monitors.

Ani turned and covered her mouth.

From every direction droids were swarming the training ground. Her heart pounded as she watched the automated machines mistake Shouto and the students for intruders.

“Oh my god. How is this happening?” Ani asked rhetorically and, when the door still stayed sealed shut she dove back to the panel trying everything and every combination of things but nothing was happening. All she could do was switch between cameras. She noticed a small screen on the edge of the panel displaying a message:

Training Ground Security Protocol Initiated

Please Stand By Until All Intruders Have Been Detained

“No, that’s not...this can’t be possible...” Ani watched helplessly as Shouto’s group fought to keep the droids at bay. They couldn’t wait for someone to come and reset the system because of the students and Katsuki trapped underneath the rubble. Ani was trapped here but she wasn’t going to be helpless. She called Togota’s cellphone. It rang but he didn’t answer. “What the HELL are you thinking Togota?! Call off the exercise, NOW!”

Mitayo kept flipping through the screens trying to find a closer view. In a grim voice, she said “I don’t think he’s doing this...”

 Ani’s eyes flicked to the screen and saw Togota lying half-buried under rubble. Ani realized...“He must be unconscious...” There was no way he could be stuck like that with his quirk.

She started calling other teachers.

“Damn it!” Ani shouted when none of them answered on the first try. Not even Nezu. It didn’t matter if they were all in classes or meetings. Time was ticking away for the trapped class. She called Shinsou again.

And again.

Watching as the school’s apparently endless supply of droids continued to apply pressure on the ‘intruders’ interfering with their mission to search the rubble.

On the fourth ring Shinsou answered in a slightly irritated but mostly worried voice. “Miss Shida?”

“Shinsou! Please!” She nearly cried with relief and spoke urgently. “Half of Togota’s class is trapped under a collapsed building and he’s been knocked unconscious while the training ground is locked down including the observation room I’m now trapped in while the security system is going bezerk and attacking the rest of the class trying to rescue their friends!”

“I’m on my way.” She heard him giving terse instructions to his class and another alarm sounded in the background. “Shida, stay with me—re—y—so—re—safe?”

Shinsou? Shinsou!” Ani shouted as the call began to cut in and out. Her phone beeped and the screen went black. “Shit. Shit! SHIT!”

Ani nearly smashed her dead phone into the control panel; up on the screen she could see the students losing stamina. In an instant, blinding wave Shouto froze the entire training ground locking all the droids in place giving the students a brief respite. A few of them had already been injured.

“Damn it!” She slammed her fist into the control panel again, berating herself for not being there to help. And just when she thought the students would be fine there was a low rumble from a far edge of the city.

“Robot Zeroes....” Mitayo murmured as she and Ani watched the massive droids take to the streets—barely able to make it between buildings.

“They’re going to bring down the whole city; we have to get out of this room!” shouted Ani. “Mitayo, can your quirk help us get through the door at all?!”

Ani stormed back to the door as the young girl admitted “no, it’s just a stupid pollen quirk. I can’t do anything but make flowers!”

“Damn it!” cursed Ani again as the door refused to shift at all. She turned to the only other option: the window.

“Wait, what are you doing?!” Mitayo shouted and jumped in front of her.

Ani stared her down. “I’m going to help them, Mitayo.”

Shouto is down there! And they all want to be pro-heroes! They’re going to be fine!”

“I’m not worried about the students above ground!” Ani shouted, gesturing to the screen showing the pile of rubble Shouto’s group had barely made it halfway through as the number one pro kept the zero-droids and all the others at bay on his own. “If the students and Katsuki are trapped without enough oxygen they will die!”

The color drained from Mitayo’s face. “But that’s a four-story drop.”

“And I can regenerate,” Ani gently reassured the young girl. She realized Mitayo’s objection was out of worry for her safety. “I’m going to be fine. Okay?”

Mitayo’s face pinched as if she wanted to further object but stepped to the side as Ani approached the glass. She threw her shoulder into window. It flexed but didn’t break. She tried a few more times and felt the sickening realization that she didn’t have enough momentum to break the reinforced glass. She went to the opposite wall, ignoring Mitayo’s expression of fear in her peripheral vision, and slipped a syringe out of her pack. She had one for every student plus extra but hated having to use one this way. Gripping the small vial to give herself a boost of courage she dug in her heels.

She charged and shifted her force into her shoulder and felt the glass give way, dissolving like sugar and falling like rain around her as she hung in the air for a moment until gravity staked its claim.

A scream filled the air—though she wasn’t sure if it was herself or Mitayo—and she accelerated toward the ground. She fell feet-first preparing and fought all of her instincts to clench up, trying to stay limber to absorb as much impact as she could. Ice appeared, intercepting her fall; Shouto must have seen her! It formed a frozen luge and broke her fall but she twisted her knee. It popped, snapping with a sickening sound. The syringe flew from her hand, sliding across the ice away from her as she skidded to a stop. Knowing Mitayo was watching, she tried not to cry out in pain as she hobbled and slipped across the ice to retrieve her blood and injected the needle right into the dislocated joint.

She panted, waiting only a few moments as the torn tissue regenerated then got off the ice and ran. Her knee protested. It needed time she didn’t have to finish healing so she ignored it and raced through the pain.

It wasn’t long before droids were chasing her, too. A wall of ice obliterated them but not before they landed two lazer shots into her back. She knew she was crying from the fiery pain but she could see the rubble up ahead and kept going.

She made it into the blast zone a moment before other teachers and Nezu. The droids shut down and everyone’s effort shifted to the excavating the students.

Ani explained as she worked, having the most complete account of what happened and within the hour the rest of the class, Togota, and Katsuki were safely freed from the wreckage.

Mitayo was brought down from the observation room and observed the rest of the clean-up from the side with a quiet reservation.

Despite the serious damage, there were only minor injuries and Ani was able to treat all of them on the scene. Two laser wounds and several lacerations, quickly stitched. A few large blows that would turn into serious bruises and require a check-up with Ani in a few days. And one twisted ankle that, after a vial of Ani’s blood and a short rest, was recovered. She used her blood generously, on any of them that may have been injured without realizing it, and still had vials to spare by the time they were finished. She didn't let anyone go without checking on them.

Including Katsuki.

He was obstinate. Near belligerent. “No. I don’t have any injuries.”

“You have to at least let me check,” insisted Ani. She could feel people starting to look their way and still Katsuki crossed his arms like a defiant toddler.

“Go check someone else!” he barked.

Ani took a steadying breath and leaned in, quietly saying “please set a good example for the students, ‘Suki. Teach them it’s okay to be injured.”

His red eyes narrowed and she could see he was deciding how far to push this. He weighed it for another moment longer until finally relenting and allowing her to take his vitals but not without an unnecessary eye-roll.

Before she could check Shouto the other teachers left to return to their own class. Togota called together his own and herded them out.

“Togota!” Ani called after him. He waited by the gate, letting his students go ahead, as she jogged over. “So…I need to apologize.”

“For what?” He asked with a happy, quizzical look.

 “Before I realized you’d been knocked unconscious I left you a rather…angry…voicemail.” Ani grimaced. “I’m sorry.”

“Ah.” He waved it off. “No harm done.”

“No, really,” she insisted. “I’m sorry I assumed you would go to such extremes.”

“Who says I wouldn’t?”

Ani stiffened. He winked and walked away. Her mind was racing and she was about to chase after him and ask him what he meant except Mitayo appeared at her side.

“I should be getting back to class, Miss Shida.”

“Of course,” said Ani, glancing back at Nezu who stayed behind with the two pro-heroes. The three of them were talking intently and Ani didn’t want to disturb them. “I’ll walk back with you.”

“Okay,” replied Mitayo reservedly.

Ani noticed the difference from their walk to the training ground. The girl that had been bubbling with excitement, even the one who watched the beginning of the fight with wide, starry-eyes, was now subdued. Lost in thought.

“What are you thinking about?” Ani asked, worried about the girl. It may have been the first serious fight she’d ever seen.

“What?” Mitayo looked up, blinking heavily. Her eyes focused on Ani. “Oh…sorry…”

“Are you alright?” Something was clearly bothering the girl.

She walked in an uncomfortable silence for a short while until finally bringing herself to say it. “I’m sorry, Miss Shida.”

Ani smiled. “I forgive you, Mitayo. I know you that Shouto’s your favorite pro-hero and you were mostly just looking out for him by taking those pictures. Even the vandalization…it wasn’t right but I forgive you.”

“Thanks, Miss Shida. That means a lot.” Her steps started to slow. “But…that’s not exactly what I’m apologizing for.”

“Oh?” Ani slowed and turned to Mitayo. “What are you apologizing for, then?”

Mitayo couldn’t bring herself to meet Ani’s eye. “Do you remember…back in that observation room…how you asked me what my quirk was?”

Ani nodded cautiously. “You said it was a pollen quirk.”

“Right…” Mitayo started shifting, twisting her fingers. “Like...how I could make flowers?”

Ani felt her throat tighten; she only nodded.

"Well...some people like to joke that...pollen...is like..." Mitayo gulped and cringed. “Sex dust...And...The pollen from my flowers kind of drives people into…into a hormonal rage.”

A dozen emotions surged through Ani, most of all embarrassment. She could feel the heat creeping up her neck.

“I was kind of…using it on you…”

Ani’s heart pounded as she connected the dots and Mitayo spelled it out, thinking Ani didn’t understand.

“…to make you mess around with Ground Zero…so I could catch you.”

Chapter 125: Shockwaves

Chapter Text

"Pff, I wouldn’t call today a success.” She sank into the couch, scowling. 

He put out his cigarette with an audible tssss . “It wasn’t a total failure either.” The lamplight glinted off his lenses. “We learned a lot, even if no one died.”  

 

 

 

 

Ani stared at her screen, waiting for her report to print as she replayed her conversation with Mitayo. So...she knew why she’d been having those ridiculous dreams and had been practically insatiable last week. It also explained why she slept undisturbed the nights it rained. But the revelation left Ani unsettled.  

Mitayo believed her quirk only affected the physical hormones of a person’s system so Ani was was confident her feelings for Katsuki were legitimate...she just wasn’t convinced she would have acted on them like she had. Or at least...maybe not as quickly. Or intensely. 

“Rough day?”  

Ani looked up, caught off-guard to see Shinsou standing in her doorway, and smiled. “Yeah, you could say that.” As he took a seat across from her she said “thank you for coming today, by the way. I’m sorry I interrupted your class.”  

“That’s what heroes do.” He shrugged. “I just wanted to make sure you were okay.”  

“Me? Oh, yeah, I’m fine.” She tried to smile reassuringly. “Why?”  

Shinsou’s indigo eyes measured her expression. “Because you were distraught when I answered and then the call just dropped. I didn’t know what happened.”  

“My phone died,” explained Ani.  

“Ahh.” Shinsou nodded. “How did you get out of the room?”  

“I kind of panicked when I saw those mega-droids and I jumped out the window to get to street level so I could help the others. Probably not the smartest decision.” Ani grimaced. “Give me an ER situation and I can stay calm and collected...but I don’t do well like the rest of you in situations like today.”  

“What are you talking about?” asked Shinsou in blatant disbelief.  

Ani sighed. “I just feel vastly inadequate compared to all of you...I’m always—”  

“Stop lying.”  

“What?” Ani’s eyes flicked to him in shock. “Lying about what?” 

Shinsou flatly stared at her. “About not measuring up to the rest of us. It’s insulting.”  

Ani’s throat closed up; fuck, she really did not like direct confrontation. She didn’t know how to respond. For a long moment Shinsou watched, nearly glaring at her.  

“You, and I, and the rest of the world know you hold up just fine in situations like today,” he stated. “So why deny it.”  

“I’m not denying anything.”  

“Let me guess,” Shinsou tipped his head. “You were going to argue that you’re not a hero. That you shouldn’t be here, or something like that.” When Ani didn’t respond he continued “we both know that’s false. What’s really going on?”  

“I’m scared.”  

As soon as the words left Ani’s mouth a weight lifted off her chest but she couldn’t look at Shinsou anymore.  

“Of what?” Shinsou asked, his aggressive tone receding.  

“Of losing Shouto again,” murmured Ani. “Or something happening to Katsuki. They’re the strongest people I know...and I know it seems crazy to be scared of something happening to them.” She could feel the tears starting to build. “But they don’t back down from anything. And I’m terrified they’re going to get hurt in a way that I can’t heal them...I would do anything to keep them safe.” She quickly wiped her eyes, trying not to feel embarrassed. “All of this probably sounds ridiculous.”  

“You care for them. Genuine feelings like that could never be ridiculous,” offered Shinsou.  

Ani gave him a weak smile. “Thanks. I’m sorry for insulting you.”  

“No apologies necessary.” Shinsou crossed his arms. “I just think you need to take yourself seriously.”  

“What do you mean?” Ani asked, brow dipping.  

“Acknowledge the things you’ve done. Accept the risks that come with your choices.” He gave her an even look. “Make a hero costume and take a hero name. It’s time.”  

A whirlwind of worries spun in Ani’s mind as she let his words sink in...she wasn’t sure she really deserved to be in the same arena as the rest of them. Shinsou stood up and started to walk away, pausing before he reached the door.  

“I never got a chance to ask before...How did you kill Shigaraki and the rest of the League of Villains?”  

“Well, technically they’re not all dead since Toga’s in prison. And Endeavor was the one who killed Dabi.” She realized she was deflecting again and quickly added “I stopped Shigaraki, Twice, and Kurogiri with my blood.”  

“I thought your blood helped people regenerate and heal?” He asked, looking over his shoulder.  

“It does,” answered Ani with a nod. “But I used my body to filter a neurotoxin out of Shouto after the League told me where he was.”  

“The League helped you find him?” Shinsou asked incredulously.  

Ani nodded. “I made them a deal that, afterwards, I would turn myself in to them so they could use my blood for themselves.”  

“Like their own personal blood bank?”  

Ani shivered. “Yeah. That’s what they called me, then, too.” She took a shaky breath. “I was lucky. They didn’t understand anything about anatomy...so instead of giving them my blood I gave them a small portion of my liver saturated with the neurotoxin I removed from Shouto.”  

Shinsou gave her a knowing look.  

“Yeah...I hear how it sounds,” said Ani with a light laugh. “I get it. I get it. I’ll think about taking a hero persona.”  

“Good. It doesn’t mean you’ll be infallible or can’t call for help,” Shinsou reminded her. “We’re all on the same team, afterall."  

“Thanks, Shinsou.”  

He slipped his hands in his pockets. “No problem.”  

Ani leaned back in her chair. She had more than enough to process from everything that happened but all she really wanted was to be with Katsuki and Shouto. She closed up her office since classes had long since been dismissed and called Shouto on the way back to her apartment.  

Hey.” She could hear the smile in his voice and it lifted her heart.  

“Hey.” She smiled back. “I didn’t get a chance to talk to you after the training session today...are you staying in Musutafu tonight?”  

Maybe. Only if there’s a place for me to stay, I suppose.”   

Ani grinned, heart swelling, and she heard a familiar angry voice in the background. “ Yeah, your fuckin’ penthouse apartment not good enough?!”   

Where are you guys right now?” Ani asked.  

Just running some errands, we had a small bet to settle after the class today.”   

“Oi, your boyfriend is a jerk!”   

Ani laughed, unable to imagine what the two of them could be doing. It sounded like they were somewhere busy. “Okay...well, are you guys going to be done soon? I could get dinner for us if you guys are hungry.”  

Dinner would be great,” he said. She heard a slap and Shouto grumble “ are you incapable of being calm? You can talk to her when we get back.”  

Any requests?”  

“Whatever you’d like.”   

“Okay. So I’ll see you in a little while?”  

Yeah, we’ll be back soon. Love you.”   

“Love you, too.” Ani nearly skipped back to the faculty dorms, excited for the night ahead.  

 

 

 

With dinner waiting on the table, Katsuki and Shouto were back within the hour and Ani’s mouth dropped as they walked in carrying a large tv.  

“What...is that?" Ani asked.  

Katsuki sulked. “It’s a tv, damn it!”  

“Obviously,” said Ani with a roll of her eyes. “Why is it here?”  

“To watch shit on!”  

“Ignore him, Ani.” Shouto smirked. “He’s just being a sore loser.”  

“Oi! I’m not a loser! I didn’t lose that damn bet!”  

“Then why’d you buy this tv?” Shouto challenged as they set it down.  

A vein twitched in Katuski’s forehead. “Shut up.”  

“What was the bet?” Ani asked, glancing between them with a smile.  

“Don’t worry about it,” grumbled Katsuki and stalked past her to the table. “I’m starving. What'd you get?"  

She looked at Shouto who looked away slyly. “I’ll set it up after we eat.”  

“No. I’ll set it up!” barked Katsuki from the table as he sat down and began eating right out of a carton.  

“Hey, ‘Suki. Use a plate!” Ani chided playfully.  

“Why? Neither of you are going to eat this.” He slurped the spicy noodles obnoxiously as the other two sat down and started eating, too.  

It turned out Shouto and Katsuki both knew which student was waiting with Ani in the observation room; Togota told them she'd be there after Ani asked. Apparently the three of them co-conspired to make sure they had a chance to put on their display in front of Mitayo.  

Ani hadn’t decided how to feel about it yet when Katsuki said “yeah, but she was nicer to you after, right?”  

“She’d already been warming up to me,” countered Ani. “But thank you, both of you.” Her face fell as she remembered her conversation with Mitayo.  

“Ani?” Shouto asked, seeing the slight fall in hear expression. She tried to smile, brush it off, but the red-white head knew better. “What’s wrong?”  

She had to tell them sometime.  

“On our walk back from the training ground Mitayo admitted she’d been using her quirk on me.” 

The room became dangerously still.  

“What do you mean she was using her quirk on you?” Shouto’s voice was deep, protective.  

Ani folded her arms on the table, unable to look at either of them. “She can make flowers and pollen...which essentially means she can make a lust dust. For anyone exposed to it, they’re basically driven into a heightened state of arousal.” Her cheeks started to flame and she swallowed thickly. “She admitted she was using it to try and drive me to cheat on you, Shouto, and catch me in the act.”  

When neither man spoke, she looked up. Shouto was tense but his attention was turned to Katsuki who was absolutely seething.  

“That little bitch!” He slammed his fist down on the table making all the containers and plates and cups and Ani jump. He stood up so angrily that he knocked his chair back and started to storm away from the table.  

“No, Katsuki.” Ani leapt up and rushed around the table, grabbing his arm. “She’s just a student!” 

“She’s a lying, conniving little shit!” He was charging to the door, Ani dug her heels in being pulled forward more than she was holding him back. 

“She knows what she did was wrong!”  

“She should be expelled!” He barked. A wall of ice met him at the door. “I’ll blow this goddamned wall away if you don’t melt this!”  

“Katsuki!” Shouto’s voice dropped like a rock and the angry ash-blonde turned, eyes ablaze. Ani fell speechless and covered her mouth hearing Shouto use the other man’s name for the first time. “What exactly do you think you can do right now?”  

“I’d like to blow the twat’s head right off her shoulders but seeing as how I don’t want to end up in prison, I’m just going to talk to her and make sure stays the hell away from Ani!” roared Katsuki.  

“That’s not going to happen. She’s serving time in the infirmary to make up for the things she’s done,” Ani reminded him. He crossed his arms, still pulsing with anger, and Ani stepped in front of him. “So we have to try to let it go, okay?”  

“Would you have still loved me? Do you love me? After knowing everything that’s happened the past two weeks has been a manipulation?” Everything about him was defensive from the set of his jaw to the clenching of his crossed arms...except his eyes.  

Ani saw a hint of the vulnerability he was feeling.  

“Yes,” she answered simply. “I don’t know if I would have acted on it in exactly the same way...but I do love you, Katsuki.”  

Hope flashed through his angry ruby irises but he didn’t relax. “And so what does that mean for the future? Do I still have a place in your life?”  

Ani nodded. “Yes.” She smiled sheepishly. “Though I have to say that I might want to take things a little bit slower than the pace at which we’d been going.”  

Katsuki pouted sulkily and looked away. “Fine. I already promised that I wasn’t going anywhere.” Under his breath he grumbled “just take your time.”  

“Thank you,” Ani said quietly. She placed a hand on his arm and lifted up onto her toes to kiss his cheek. He leaned into it, wrapping his arms around her in a long, tight hug. Ani hugged him back as they heard the familiar hiss of steam from melting ice. She looked over Katsuki’s shoulder and saw Shouto sitting back down to eat.  

“Don’t touch my spicy noodles!” Katsuki barked, still not letting Ani go. Shouto rolled his eyes and Ani laughed, gently pushing Katsuki.  

“Come on, I’m hungry.”  

He tightened his bear hug and buried his face in her neck making her laugh again and she grabbed his sides.  

“Oi!” He snapped, letting go and jumping back to avoid being tickled. “Don’t start that!”  

“Okay,” she said, suppressing another laugh as they turned back to the table.  

“Start what?”  

“Jesus FUCK!" 

“AH!” Ani screeched and jumped as Katsuki let off an explosion at the floor right where a face had just been. “Shit, ‘Suki, that was just Togota!”  

The bubbly blonde’s face appeared a second later unharmed in the same spot. “Nehhh, she’s right Bakugo. You shouldn’t attack a friend like that!”  

“You shouldn’t pop through people’s floors unanounced and uninvited!” he barked rabidly, popping little explosions out from his open palms. “And we’re not friends!” 

“Well, I heard shouting from my friend’s apartment and wanted to make sure she was okay.” He beamed brightly at Ani as she leapt onto Katsuki, piggy-back, and smiled over his shoulder.  

“I’m fine. Thank you for checking on me.”  

“No problem.” His hand appeared through the floor, too, in a thumbs-up.  

“Next time use the door like a fucking normal person!” growled Bakugo as he started to calm down with Ani hanging onto him.  

“You might see something you can’t unsee,” commented Shouto with a smirk from the table.  

“Oh, Todoroki!” Togota’s head spun around. “You’re here, too?” 

Katsuki carried Ani back to the table intentionally stepping through Togota’s head.  

“’Suki!” Ani chided him; Togota seemed unbothered, simply activating his quirk making Katsuki’s stomp seem petulant.  

“Yeah,” Shouto answered, exchanging a smile with Ani.  

“Are you hungry Togota? Did you already have dinner?” She asked, taking her seat again.  

He waved her off. “I’ve already eaten. Thank you though!” He caught sight of the large box in her living room. “Shida, you got a tv?” 

I bought her a fucking tv,” noted Katsuki.  

“Only because you lost a bet,” added Shouto.”  

“A bet?” Togota asked, swiveling his head around again. “What bet?”  

“Yeah, guys.” Ani looked at them expectantly. “What bet?”  

Katsuki stared off sourly as Shouto smiled his full smile at Ani making her heart leap. “I bet Katsuki that he couldn’t have a fight without knocking a building down.”  

Ani smiled, shocked at Katsuki. “And you took that bet?!”  

“What do you want!” He groused. “It was only a training ground!”  

Ani shook her head lightheartedly and went back to eating.  

“Wait, did you—”  

“OhMyGod,” said Ani flinching. She’d forgotten Togota’s head was sticking out of her floor like a house plant. “Togota do you want to just come up here and hangout—?”  

“No.” Both Shouto and Katsuki answered at the same time. Ani’s head turned, eyes flicking between the two of them as Togota just chuckled.  

“Thank you, Ani. I appreciate the offer but I can‘t. Shinsou and I are going out to meet some friends tonight. Maybe another time though!”  

“No!” answered both Katsuki and Shouto again. Ani glowered at the two of them as Togota’s head disappeared through the floor, still chuckling.  

“That was rude!” Ani said.  

Katsuki gave her a flat, challenging look as he took a very large bite of noodles. Shouto just shrugged.  

Ani sighed.  

When they were finished, Ani cleaned up and the two of them tried to set up the tv together. Ani ended up watching the two of them argue and butt heads—well, more Katsuki butting heads against an indifferent, unstirred Shouto. It was the most entertaining thing she’d watched in a while.  

After the long and intense day, safe in her own home, Ani sank down onto the couch and slowly drifted off to the sleep to the sounds of people she loved.  

 

A pair of arms effortlessly lifted her off the couch and gently tucked her in bed.  

“Good night, Ani,” he whispered. “I love you.”  

Embraced by sleep again she whispered “I love you, too, Sho.”  

Chapter 126: Rising Tide

Chapter Text

Ani, Shouto, and Katsuki embraced their Saturday morning with lazy enthusiasm, sleeping in...ignoring emails...laying around and sharing the seemingly meaningless details of their week. Ani laughed and smiled, feeling more complete and content than she had in a long time. Shouto relaxed with his arms folded behind his head as he listened and shared. Even Katsuki stayed in bed, choosing to skip is morning run for the first time in two weeks.  

It was moments like this that made Ani forget the rest of the world. Nothing existed beyond this small space filled with warmth and love. 

 

 

When they got up to have breakfast Shouto stared at the fridge and looked to Ani with surprise.  

“What?” She asked, lightly blushing.  

“It’s full,” he noted. A smile slowly tipped his lips. “Did we somehow end up in someone else’s apartment?”  

“I tried, okay!” Ani laughed. “Katsuki gave me a hard time all week about not keeping any food in the house until I went out and restocked. Now I know why.”  

“You’re welcome,” the ash-blonde grumbled as he plopped down onto the couch.  

Ani stuck her tongue out at him but thanked him anyway; he coyly smirked and started flipping through the news. 

“With all of this I can make just about anything for breakfast...any requests?” Shouto asked Ani.  

“Hmm...” Ani tapped her chin. The idea that came to her made her smile sheepishly and Shouto lifted an eyebrow, gently shifting his scar. “Fluffy pancakes?”  

“Oh...” His features relaxed; he’d clearly been expecting something more elaborate. “Sure.”  

“Gross. That’s not breakfast,” called Katsuki from his space on the couch.  

Ani hopped up onto the counter next to Shouto’s workspace as he smirked and started cracking eggs anyway. “Anything can be for breakfast if you eat it in the morning,” she mused.  

“Tch.”  

Ani had missed this. The casual atmosphere...just being together. She reveled in the subtle strength of Shouto as he cooked. He would glance at her every so often, hint of a smile and a blush on his face as she watched him. Sizzling oil. Delicious smells. Quiet sounds from both of the men.  

Ani closed her eyes and rested her head back on a cabinet.  

This was home.  

“Alright, first batch is done,” announced Shouto plating three poofy floofy cylinders. Ani slid off the counter with a lick of her lips but before she could take the plate a pair of hands snatched it away. Katsuki eyed the slightly wobbly food with distrust.  

“Why would anyone want to eat this.” His red eyes narrowed and Ani laughed. Shouto stifled a laugh of his own at the explosive man’s defensive expression toward the food.  

“Because it’s delicious,” said Ani as she pulled one onto her own plate. Her fork and knife sank through the cloud-like creation and her stomach growled eagerly.  

Melted in her mouth. Like all of Shouto’s food.  

He smiled appreciatively as she savored the food and her eyes fell closed.  

“Oh my gosh...” she sank happily into a chair at the table and took another bite. “Seriously, ‘Suki...they’re so good. And I won’t be upset if you don’t eat any, I could easily eat all of these myself.”  

She yearningly spied the plate still in his hands but he moved it away. “Oi! Don’t be greedy!” He lifted one in his hands and cautiously brought it to his mouth...he bit it like a bun, chewing like an angry ape.  

“...and?” prompted Ani as she finished her own.  

He frowned sourly. “Fine. It’s friggin’ good, ok?!” He took the plate back to the couch and went back to watching the news.  

Ani smiled with a shake of her head. Shouto kept making them, sitting with Ani between batches, and they ate nearly two dozen altogether by the time he was finished.  

“Thank you,” Ani said, resting her head on his shoulder.  

He hummed in satisfaction. “No problem...” He took her hand in his and their fingers entwined.  

 

For the moment, Katsuki was indifferent to the couple sitting at the table. His eyes were glued to the screen as a cameraperson panned over a devastated scene.  

A tsunami rocked the east coast early this morning raising the sea-level more than two stories in some places—  

The shot cut to a white lighthouse more than halfway submerged.  

—And devastating the city of Choshi . Evacuation was already underway when the surge began but many are still missing.   

Katsuki stood up and knew the other pro was already at his side, talking with someone on the phone. When he was done, Shouto relayed the details of the disaster to Katsuki as they strode to Ani’s bedroom where they stopped short.  

Their hero uniforms were already laid out on the bed, boots at the floor.  

Ani stepped out of the bathroom in her field-scrubs, hair tied up, and met their gaze. “Let’s go.”  

 

 

Shouto drove as they raced out of the city with his team on speakerphone so Katsuki and Ani could hear everything, too, and were soon patched through to the local emergency responders in Choshi. Ani was in the backseat arranging supplies in her medipack as Katsuki and Shouto asked questions, preparing the best way and places they could help.  

“Oi, Kiri—” Katsuki answered his phone but was immediately cut off. Ani and Shouto exchanged a glance in the mirror; they could hear the loud, frantic voice but couldn’t understand the words.  

Katsuki’s red eyes widened. “Yeah. We’re almost there.”  

Shouto sped up, pushing the limits of what he could get away with as a pro-hero rushing to the scene. Katsuki’s arm fell limp and he stared off in a daze when the call ended.  

“Kirishima can’t get ahold of his parents.”  

Ani covered her mouth, horror setting in for her, too. In the next moment she was calling Mina who had been in contact with her family...they safely made it out of the city in the evacuation.  

Tense silence fell over the car.  

The closer they got to the coast, the thinner traffic became in their direction whereas the highways leading away from the coast were clogged with traffic.  

Ani stared out the window keeping her mind clear as they reached the temporary headquarters arranged by emergency services. The two pro-heroes and Ani quickly separated, going off with the teams they could best help.  

Most of the water had already receded leaving behind decimated neighborhoods and city blocks that were a mess of debris. Shouto and Katsuki worked with the other pros and engineers, search-parties, and rescue-parties to locate people that were trapped or missing while Ani provided support to the regional EMT team. As civilians with serious injuries were uncovered Ani rushed from place to place helping to bring those people to make-shift medic stations. And—in the worst cases—get them into ambulances to be brought to the closest hospital. 

More heroes arrived to help citizens clean-up, reunite with loved-ones, and distribute food, clean water. Many people were still missing.  

Including Kirishima’s family.  

Red riot had joined the throngs of people helping after discovering his parents’ home was destroyed. Ani, Shouto, and Katsuki did their best to ask for them as they worked but had not been able to find any trace of them. Cries of anguish slowly began to fill the city as people went through what was left of their lives. 

A soulless scream pierced the air and everyone jerked at the sound. Ani and the paramedics sprinted off in the direction of the sound to find a cluster of people—pro heroes and civilians alike—huddled at the edge of a crushed building. She feared the worst as the group parted for them and they found a mother holding a small, limp form.  

The paramedics couldn’t convince her to let the child go so they worked around her white-knuckled grip. Pangs of grief struck Ani with every wail of the mother. She rocked back and forth clutching her child’s body as the paramedics confirmed the worst: they were dead. And from their blue lips and tiny gaunt features...they had been so for a long time.  

Ani alked away covering her mouth trying not to cry or vomit as they made their way to the next waiting tragedy. 

 

Ani saw an old man shuffling through the streets with a wide-eyed look on his face as he called out for someone.  

“Sir, are you alright?” Ani asked him, stepping away from the group of EMTs. “Are you hurt?”  

“Oh no, dear,” he said with a foggy smile and patted her arm. “I’m just looking for my wife. She’ll be around here somewhere.” He called her name again and scratched his head. “She’s always walking off like this, trying to feed the darn cats.”  

Ani tried asking the man a few questions and it became clear he was not aware of his surroundings.  

“Father? Father!?” a voice shouted from around the corner and Ani stayed with the old man as he continued hobbling along. A young woman appeared and rushed over to them. 

“I’m so sorry, miss,” she said to Ani and took her father’s hand.  

His eyes lit up as he turned to her. “I didn’t know you were home honey! Oh your mother’s going to have to stop by the store—we don’t have anything for dinner for you tonight.”  

Ani noticed blood on the back of the man’s head and, with the daughter’s help, led him to the nearest medical tent. After a few minutes with the paramedics it became clear that his injury wasn't serious.

“Thank you for finding my father,” the young woman said to Ani. “I’m glad he’ll be okay.”  

“Of course.” Ani squeezed the girl’s hand and noticed tears forming in her eyes. “Is everything else okay?”  

She wiped her face and sniffled. “Yes. It’s just hard...” she looked over her shoulder at her father who was chatting happily with the person tending his wound, telling them about his wife. “My mother passed away a few years ago...and he doesn’t remember.”  

“He has dementia,” confirmed Ani.  

The woman nodded, turning away from her father so he didn’t see her cry. “It’s so hard...every time he becomes lucid again his heart breaks over and over. Sometimes I think he prefers to stay this way so he can feel like she’s still here, still with him even if not right here .”  

Ani nodded slowly, her heart weighing with the heavy words. “It’s hard enough having to lose a loved-one...but having to lose them over and over...” Her own eyes grew misty. “Sounds like the worst pain imaginable.” She offered the young woman a hug which she readily accepted. “I’m sorry for what you and your father have to go through.”  

The girl sobbed. “He loved her so much. They were together for fifty-two years before she passed...”  

“And that makes the loss even harder,” murmured Ani. The girl nodded and pulled back with a sniffle.  

“Thank you for listening to me,” she said with a teary smile.  

“Of course.” Ani gave her hand another squeeze and joined the paramedics moving on to the next patient. 

 

 

The sun had already set, rescue efforts still underway, when Shouto’s powerful voice called out for Ani and she didn’t hesitate to sprint in his direction. He met her on the street and led her to a collapsed garage where a man lay pinned to the ground.  

“It’s good you didn’t try to move him—” Ani said urgently, crouching down next to the man with her medipack. He was laying in a pool of blood. “He probably would’ve bled out.”  

Shouto nodded solemnly. “I know. We tired..”  

“Oh,” whispered Ani as she realized that’s from where this blood had come. She popped the cap on a vail of her blood and spoke to the man staring up at her in pain. “My name is—”  

“Shi-ida Ani—I know.” He grimaced. “C-can you h-help me?”  

“Yes,” she said gently. To Shouto she instructed. “I need you to lift it, slowly. As slowly as you can until I find the damage and can stop the bleeding.”  

He nodded and squat, gripping the edge of the car. He and Ani exchanged a look then he flexed. The car started to rise and Ani held the vial at-the-ready, watching every inch of the man’s body as it was exposed.  

Blood started to gush the moment the car was no longer applying pressure and Ani dove under it. She jabbed the vial into his stomach and could see the wound was much larger than that. From under the car she called “Shouto, jack the whole car now!”  

Ice lifted the other side up off the man and Ani’s hands flew around his body administering more blood and applying pressure. Another paramedic slipped in from the other side and helped. Within minutes the blood flow had stopped; Ani’s regeneration sealed the wound enough that they could move him out. By that time an ambulance had arrived and they loaded him inside. 

Shouto stood by Ani’s side as they watched it drive away, sirens blaring and lights flashing. He wrapped an arm around her waist and pressed his lips to her hair.  

“Thank you for coming,” he whispered.  

“Of course,” Ani replied and hugged him. Into his chest she murmured “anytime.”  

They held each other for a long moment in the setting sun and fading siren until someone called Shouto and someone else, Ani. They exchanged a tired, loving smile and went off to keep helping.    

 

 

It was late, nearly midnight when Ani and Shouto left Choshi. Despite their insistence they would stay and help look for his parents, Kirishima assured them he would be fine. Though his house was in ruins, it was abandoned. He said, trying to be lighthearted, that they were probably just at a friend’s house and forgot their cellphones, but Katsuki dismissed his protest and stayed behind anyway. Ani was glad. She was worried about Kirishima and could see Katsuki was, too.  

The roads were emptier as they left. Most evacuation traffic had cleared and the press was long gone, leaving their path back to UA quick and easy. Shouto had several calls to make, information to relay back to his team, and Ani didn’t mind. She kept hearing the young woman’s words. The sadness she’d felt clung to her psyche...she couldn’t shake the image of the old man’s deliriously happy face as he searched for his wife.  

Chapter 127: Run-Up

Notes:

I proof-read this but there's been some wacky shit happening with spaces when I copy/paste this from word. Sorry if there's any I missed 😬

Chapter Text

“I couldn’t care less!” Katsuki barked at his team.  

Plain face was back at his agency. Kirishima was still looking for his parents. That left the explosive pro to deal with these extras all on his own. Fucking hell, how had they hired so many helpless asshats?!  

He slammed his office door and pulled out his phone to call Ani.  

His thumb hovered over his screen.  

Why was he hesitating? 

 

 

 

 

By Wednesday Kirishima’s parents were found. They had been on vacation without cellphone reception and hadn’t heard about the tsunami until they were on their way back. Ani was relieved to hear it and could tell Katsuki was, too.  

“Yeah, I have a meeting with my brother’s friend from the neuroscience department at M-U on Saturday,” she told Katsuki over the phone.  

The ashy-blonde grumbled.  

“Tell him to speak louder,” Shouto said next to Ani as he eavesdropped and cooked dinner.  

Oi, tell that asshole to stop listening. It’s a private conversation!”   

Ani walked away, sticking her tongue out at him; he smirked.  

“What did you say?”  

I said...oh that bullshit. You’re really going to go through with it?”   

Ani sighed. “I told you, ‘Suki. I don’t even know if I can, I’m going to learn more about that part of the brain. And besides...I haven’t even talked to Togota’s friend yet.”  

Tch. Why not? What the fuck is her problem?”  

Ani smiled. Katsuki’s immediate flip to defensiveness on her behalf was endearing. “She’s been busy going up and down the coast with Deku and his other sidekicks for the past week or two.”  

“Really?” Shouto asked from the kitchen, looking over his shoulder, the same time as Katsuki grumbled something else.  

Ani nodded at the red-white head. “Yeah. Togota said she would call me when they get back.”  

Well, whatever...” Katsuki let out a rough breath. “ Listen, Ani...”   

Her throat closed up—he never used her name. “What’s up?” she prompted when he stayed quiet. 

Ugh, look. I don’t know how to say this.”   

Ani went into her room. “Katsuki...what is it?” She laughed nervously. “You’re making me worried.”  

He chuckled, too. “Sorry. Look it’s just: my mom found out that I’ve been seeing someone.”   

“Oh.”  

Yeah...the old hag keeps nagging me to meet her.” He hesitated. “ But if you don’t want to go, I’ll understand and just tell her to fuck off—”  

“No! Geez,” laughed Ani. “I mean...I’d love to meet her but does she...know about...”  

Your other boyfriend? Yeah. She said she didn’t care. She still wants to meet you.”  

“Okay.” She strummed her fingers on her lips, thinking. “How about Saturday, after I meet with the doctor of neuroscience?”  

Seriously? I was looking forward to tell the old hag to—”  

Katsuki!” scolded Ani. “She’s your mom . Why are you talking about her like that?!”  

 

 

 

As soon as Ani met his mom, she understood.  

With matching spikey, champagne-blonde hair and raging red irises, Mitsuki welcome Ani into Katsuki’s childhood home for an early dinner and gave her son the hardest time for not bringing her around sooner.  

It was entertaining albeit a little frightening for Ani to watch the two of them interact—she wasn’t sure how either of them lived this long. Hot temper aside, Mitsuki seemed like a genuinely caring mom. She was more than happy to show Ani pictures of Katsuki’s childhood while he and Masaru cooked. Katsuki protested angrily from the kitchen the whole time.  

While his parents cleaned up, Katsuki finally relented and agreed to show Ani his childhood room. Though it was used as an office now, the only changes his parents had made were to remove all the hero paraphernalia.  

Ani sat down on his bed with a bounce.  

“So this is where the famous Kacchan grew up?”  

“Gross, don’t call me that,” he said sitting next to her. “This is a sacred place.”  

She smirked. “Sure it is.”  

“Oi! It is!” he insisted with a glower at her. “You’re the first girl to ever be here.”  

The seriousness of that hit Ani in the chest. “Really?”  

“Yeh.” He leaned back on his hands and nodded. “I didn’t care much for dating and I wasn’t going to bring a casual fuck home.”  

“Wow,” murmured Ani as her eyes looked over the room in a closer light.  

He watched her taking it all in and his eyes narrowed. “You’re overthinking this.”  

“What?” she asked, blushing. “What do you mean?”  

“It’s really not that big of a deal.”  

“I don’t know...” Ani said with a sad smile and tucked a loose lock of hair behind her ear. “I think it’s nice you have somewhere like this.”  

“Yeah, it’s a real fuckin’ palace.”  

“You know what I mean...that you grew up here. And you can come back, see your parents who clearly love you.”  

“Ugh. Stop,” he said laying down and draping an arm over his face to cover his eyes. “You’re being so gross right now. I might never bring anyone else here ever again.”  

The faint pink brushing his cheeks didn’t escape Ani’s notice and she stifled a smile. “Come on, let’s go see if they need any help with dessert.” 

By the end of the night Ani’s cheeks hurt from smiling and laughing so much at the dynamic between Katsuki and his mom and Masaru’s level-headedness was a calming presence among them. At the end of the evening Ani was still grinning when Mitsuki yanked her son in for a rough embrace. She was caught off-guard and left speechless when each of Katuski's parents gave her a hug goodbye, too.

“Come on,” growled Katsuki and took Ani’s hand, dragging her away before his parents could do or say anything else to embarrass him.  

 

 

 

“Oi. Goldilocks. What’s on your mind?”  

Ani blinked, clearing her eyes as she turned to Katsuki in the driver’s seat. “Nothing. Why?”  

“You’re making that frown,” he said. With surprising tenderness, he smoothed the skin between her brow, forcing her face to relax. “You only make that face when something’s upsetting you.”  

“I was just thinking about today...” she smiled but it didn’t touch her eyes. “It was a long day.”  

Katsuki watched her from the corner of his eye as her attention slowly drifted back out the window to the passing scenery. He took her hand and gruffly mumbled “thanks for coming tonight.”  

“Of course,” Ani said with another tired smile. “Your parents were really awesome.”  

“Tch. Because I’m their kid.”  

Ani laughed; the sound made Katsuki release some of the stress tightening his chest that he didn’t realize he was holding.  

“Or you’re awesome because they’re your parents,” she playfully countered.  

He scowled. “Take it back!”  

“I’m just saying...” Ani grinned and shrugged.  

He dropped her hand with a roll of his eyes. “I’m not gonna bring you back there if the old hag is gonna rub off on you like this.”  

Ani was unphased but the words soured his stomach as soon as he said them. His mother’s voice angrily whispering into his ear as she hugged him good-bye echoed in his mind.  

 

I like this one. Keep her around.  

 

 

Katsuki wouldn’t admit anything like this to his mother but he had plans to do just that. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ani dragged herself out from under Katsuki’s heavy arms to get up and ready for her day of community service. Plans were almost in place to try a clinic in one of the city’s parks; she would hopefully get to start it the following week. As for this Sunday, she was heading back to the hospital. She’d prepared vials of her blood for the ICU, PICU, and NICU ahead of time, worried she wouldn’t get a chance to help everyone in need today.  

“Shida,” the administrative coordinator greeted her. “You’re here early.”  

Ani gave a smile and a nod. “I have something for you and didn’t want the delivery to cut into my service time.” She opened the briefcase for the administrator and a few other staff members joined, looking in. “I’m sorry I don’t have more for all of you.”  

“Are you kidding me, Shida? This is amazing!” she crowed, pulling up a spreadsheet on her computer.

Ani smiled humbly. “Thank you. I’m happy to help.” The administrator gave her directions of who and where to help and the rest of the day passed in a blur. On her way out of the hospital a nurse flagged her down and asked her to visit the PICU.  

A five year old child early that morning had been playing in the neighborhood, all the children having fun with quirks that were still relatively new. Most of them didn’t know how to properly control them yet so one thing led to another and this little boy had been severely burned. The ability of a young body to heal boosted by Ani’s quirk meant that he was fully recovered twelve hours after the injury. Before Ani could even make it into the PICU the little boy ran out, throwing himself into Ani’s arms.  

“Thank you! Thank you Missus Hero!” he squealed, squeezing her in a tight hug.  

The boys mother and father came up with tears in their eyes. “Thank you f or saving our son. We’re so grateful to have a pro-hero like you helping our city. And please, forgive us since we don’t keep up with heroes...what is your name?” 

Ani blushed, not sure how to correct them and heard Shinsou’s words again:  

 

 

Acknowledge the things you’ve done. Accept the risks that come with your choices.  

 

 

“Um...” She realized this was the moment. 

 

 

 

Take a hero name. It’s time.  

 

 

 

Ani took a steadying breath and, smiling to the boy’s parents, said “you can call me:...Blood Bank.”  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I like it,” Shouto said with a lift in his expression.  

Ani tipped her eyes up to him, open and vulnerable as she accepted his approval. “Really? You really think it’s okay?”  

“The Regeneration Hero: Blood Bank.” He smiled. “It’s perfect.” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just like the vision of the old man looking for his wife, the young boy kept throwing himself into Ani’s arms over and over again in her mind.

Juxtaposed with the image of the mother holding her deceased child, Ani couldn’t sleep.

She could only think about the young boy, the crying mother, and Mitsuki...whispering into her ear as she hugged Ani good-bye 

 

The two of you are going to make me some beautiful grandbabies  

Chapter 128: Flooded

Notes:

*NSFW*

Thank you for the responses ;) I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was looking for some

Chapter Text

Ani was grateful for a busy week of work. It had been that way not only for herself but for Shouto and Katsuki, too. Multiple incidents directly in Musutafu and Dagoben—as well as few in the neighboring regions—kept the number one and number three heroes constantly moving. She longed for their company and work provided a healthy distraction. 

She took to Katsuki’s routine, running every morning as the cool air sharpened her mind. Students began to recognize her, calling out to her on campus as they did their own morning routines, and she did her best to remember all their names.  

Mitayo—once she knew Ani wasn’t going to hold a grudge—became a warm and welcome presence at Ani’s side, asking more and more questions as her curiosity about medicine grew. She was spending more time in the infirmary than she needed to and even came by at the end of the day with her friends to study. Their energetic babble filled Ani’s workspace with a brightness that warmed her heart and touched an intangible part of her mind.  

She kept eating lunch with Togota and Shinsou every day and when Nezu hired a replacement administrator at the end of the week, because Umeji wouldn’t be coming back, they invited him to join.  

“So, Hobansu,” Togota asked brightly, as they settled into their ususal spot with a view. “Where were you working before this?”  

He sat perfectly straight in his chair, cup of tea rising to his mouth. “I worked for the agency of pro-hero Deku.”  

“Wow.” Togota’s blonde brow rose. “What’s your quirk?”  

“I call it photographic memory though it’s much more than that.” The man took a sip of his tea and set the cup down without making a sound. “The term ‘photographic’ memory implies that I can perfectly remember only the visual aspects of a memory, however I am able to systematically remember all the specific details of my life. The smells, sounds, feelings, people around me. My place in space and time.”  

Togota whistled. “Of your whole life?” When Hobansu nodded Togota asked “so let’s say when you were...twelve...what did you have to eat on the...fifth day of school?” 

“For breakfast?” Hobansu queried without pause. "Or lunch? I didn't have dinner that evening because my family and I got caught up in helping our neighbor find their lost dog—a kai ken that had wandered out of their house tracking the scent when their youngest son left the door opened after coming home—it took most of the night and we found—”  

Togota’s laugh was a happy interruption. “That sounds exhausting!”  

“Sounds like you’re an asset to any team,” noted Ani with a smile.  

He bowed his head, blushing slightly. “Thank you. Mr. Midoriya seemed to think so as well which is why he recommended me so highly to Nezu for this position.”  

“I don’t understand,” Shinsou spoke up. “If you were such a valuable member of his team, why did he give you up?”  

“Because Mr. Midoriya is dissolving his agency.”  

“What?!” Togota asked incredulously as Ani coughed, food catching in her throat. 

Shinsou’s face clouded over. “Why would he do that?”  

“There are a number of reasons, none of which I’m allowed to disclose,” Hobansu simply answered and continued eating his lunch.  

Shinsou, Ani, and Togota exchanged a glance. Ani’s mind raced to process that information.  

Deku

Was giving up his agency. 

 

 

 

 

Ani was eating ramen on her couch watching a medical documentary when Shouto called.  

“Hi,” she said quickly swallowing her mouthful and muting the tv. “How was your day?”  

Fine.” She could hear he was driving. “ Are you busy right now?”   

“No.” She laughed at the pajama-clad state of herself. “Why? What’s up?”  

I was hoping to visit.”   

She smiled and knew he could hear it in her voice. “I’d love that.”  

Wonderful I will—”   

“Oi! Don’t forget about me you icy-hot bastard!”   

Ani laughed again. “Katsuki can come, too.”  

We’ll see you soon. Love you.”   

“Love you, too.” Before Katsuki could snap she added “ both of you!”  

Shouto hung up as the explosive pro started to shout something else. Ani was still eating when they knocked on her door; they must have already been in Musutafu when they called.  

She bounded across the room and opened it— “Togota?” She smiled at the surprise. “I wasn’t expecting you. What’s up?”  

He beamed. “I’m using the door like a normal person.” he called out the words for an audience that wasn’t there. “I just heard from Eri. She has some time tonight that she could come meet you and see if there’s any way she can help.”  

“Really?” Ani’s eyes lit up. “That would be great!”  

The elevator dinged. “What would be great?” Shouto asked as the doors parted. Both he and Katsuki stepped out, giving Togota a skeptical and dark look respectively.  

“I was just telling Shida that Eri is available to meet her tonight.”  

“Great,” grumbled Katsuki.  

“It is great,” Ani playfully chided him. “What’s the easiest way for her to meet?”  

“She’s coming here!” Togota gave her a huge thumbs up and Katsuki winced at the bubbly blonde’s energy. “You can come down to my place—”  

“Not a chance.”  

“No thank you.”  

Katsuki and Shouto snapped at the same time as they stepped past Ani into her apartment. 

“... Or ...” Togota continued, unphased. “She’d be happy to introduce herself to you here.”  

“That would be amazing. Thank you Togota!” Ani clapped and smiled so hard her eyes crinkled. “She’s absolutely welcome to come here!”  

“Great. I’ll bring her up when she gets here!”  

“Ya might wanna call first,” snipped Katsuki before abruptly closing the door.  

“Ugh, ‘Suki!” Ani began to scold but Shouto pulled her against him. 

Cupping her cheek, he said “it’s been a long week. Cut us some slack.”  

“O-okay,” she murmured, softening under his two-toned gaze. “Is everything alright?”  

“Mhmm.” He nodded with a small smile. “It is now.”  

 

 

 

Ani changed back into jeans and a hoodie before Eri arrived and she was glad she did; the young sidekick-hero wasn’t alone when she knocked on Ani’s door. Togota had come with her—and so had Deku. She would have been mortified for her old idol to see her in pajamas.  

“Shida-san, this is Eri-chan,” Togota said as Ani welcomed them in. A young girl with enchanting gray hair, and a cute horn on her forehead stepped in.  

“Shida-san,” the young girl said with an airy voice. “It’s so nice to meet you.”  

Ani smiled. “It’s nice to meet you too. I’ve heard so many good things about you.”  

“I apologize for the intrusion,” Midoriya offered with a bow and Ani waved her hands out in front of herself.  

“No, no, please!” she insisted. “It’s not an intrusion at all!!”  

From the kitchen Shouto smirked at her flutseredness; Bakugo scowled. He muttered something to the red-white head who elbowed him.  

Midoriya heard the beginnings of an argument and buoyantly joined them, Togota too, cutting in before anything could get out of hand.  

“Please, come in Eri,” Ani gestured to the kitchen. “Can I get you something to eat or drink?”  

“Water would be wonderful, thank you.”  

As they moved into the kitchen the four heroes smoothly stepped away to give them space.  

“So, Mirio-kun said you were hoping to have my help.” She blinked, beautiful dark lashes over large red, innocent eyes. “What can I do for you?”  

Ani nodded, forcing a lump down her throat. “A few months ago I was...”  

“Kidnapped,” noted Eri when she sensed Ani’s discomfort.  

“Yes,” sighed Ani. “And while I was held...my captors altered my memory. More specifically they erased a large portion of my memory.”  

Eri’s eyes widened. “Wow...Shida-san I’m so sorry to hear that.”  

“Thank you.” Ani steadied herself. “When Togota told me what you did—how you rewound him to get his quirk back—it made me wonder...if you could possibly do something like that for me.”  

“You mean...rewind your memory?” Eri fell silent after Ani nodded. “I don’t know...my quirk has never worked like that before. When I rewind someone their mind isn’t altered.”  

“What if you used your quirk specifically on the mind? Intentionally directed it there...” Ani watched Eri puzzling over the question and explained the basic mechanics of the brain to her. It was clear after meeting with Aino’s friend at the university that memory processing was still being studied, the basics only recently discovered. With every step of her explanation she watched Eri grow more and more confused; Ani felt her hope start to dissolve.  

“I don’t know Shida.” Eri wrung her hands together.  

Ani wracked her brain for information. “Would it help to talk to my brother? He’s a surgeon and was there when we talked with the neuroscientist last weekend. He could probably explain it much better than I can.”  

“O-okay,” Eri answered nervously. “I can try.” 

Ani whipped out her phone and called Aino who—thankfully—answered and was willing to give it a shot. Eri took the phone, exchanging light small talk before falling quiet as Aino delved into his explanations. Ani resisted the urge to pace.  

The young woman asked a question every so often but mostly listened. As Ani waited she noticed the four men in her bedroom talking in a tight group, voices hushed and expressions a range of reactions. 

“Here,” offered Eri. “He wants to talk to you.” 

“Thanks,” Ani said, taking the phone back. “Hey Aino.”  

Hey sis...you’re not going to do anything right now are you?!”   

No,” replied Ani with a smile, appreciating her brother’s concern; she watched Eri join the pro-heroes in quiet discussion. “We’re just discussing the option.”  

Aino sighed in relief. “ Okay, good. You won’t do anything without me there, right?”   

“Noo,” insisted Ani. “I won’t. I’ll call you tomorrow, okay?”  

Alright. Have a good night Ani.”   

“You, too, Aino.” As she hung up the group dispersed, all of them coming back to the living room. Ani tried to brush off the feeling like they did it to make sure she didn’t hear anything.  

“It was great to see you again, Shida-chan!” Midoriya offered with a big smile as he and Togota headed to the door.  

“It was great to see you again, too.” Ani dipped her head.  

Togota beamed. “Have a good night Ani!” 

“Oi!” barked Katsuki and Eri pulled Ani aside as a vein in the ash-blonde's forehead twitched.  

“After talking to Aino, what do you think?” asked Ani, tentatively. 

“I don’t know, Shida-san...The brain is so complicated and-and one slip up,” she snapped her fingers “your brain could forget how to walk or talk. Or even breathe!”  

“I see,” said Ani, crestfallen.  

Eri placed a hand on Ani’s arm. “I’ll think it over. Okay? I’m not saying no...I just don’t know if I’m confident enough to try something that risky.”  

“I understand.” Ani offered the younger woman a weak smile. “Thank you for coming tonight. I appreciate you taking time to talk to hear me out at least.”  

“Any time.” The young girl took both of Ani’s hands in her own and gave a timid smile. “I’ve heard so many things about you, I’m glad I finally got to meet you.”  

“Same here.” Ani squeezed and let Eri’s hands go so she could leave with Togota and Midoriya—before Katsuki had a stroke.  

“The fuckin’ nerve of that guy!” Katsuki shouted at the door.  

Ani wanted to laugh but the disappointing news weighed too heavily.  

“What did she say?” Shouto asked, brushing her hair back.  

Ani’s heart hurt. She knew how much hope and joy the possibility of regaining her memories had given Shouto...she didn’t want to take that away. She also knew she couldn’t keep anything from him. “She’s going to mull it over, at least.”  

Shouto frowned. “She can’t do it?”  

“She’s worried about slipping up and rewinding essential parts of my brain.” Ani turned away from him.  

“Ani, what’s wrong?” He followed, not letting her avoid him.  

She pressed her eyes together, trying not to cry. “I feel so bad...like I got your hopes up for nothing.” Tears came anyway.  

Shouto pulled her to him, wrapping her in a tight hug that she'd been missing all week. “I love you whether you remember everything or not.” In a hushed voice he added “I just wanted it for you .”  

She buried her face, absorbing everything about his presence.  

Katsuki grunted and said to the room. “I have to make a call. I’ll be back in a bit.”  

Shouto waited for them to be alone then asked “Ani...I can feel something else is wrong...what’s going on?”  

When her crying intensified and she clutched at him, he scooped her feet off the floor and ferried her to the couch. He held her, guilt prickling his stomach as he wondered if she’d been upset all week and hadn’t realized it.  

“Sorry. It’s just...” she said wiping away as much of the moisture as she could. In the two tones of his eyes she found only compassion and concern. “Last weekend...when we went to Choshi...there was an old man with dementia; he couldn’t remember that his wife had passed away. I don’t think he realized there had even been a tsunami.” She sniffled. “I haven’t been able to stop thinking about him.”  

“Why?” Shouto asked, stroking her cheek as sadness tinted his features.  

“He was still so clearly in love with her...And...And when his daughter found him she said that his heartbreaks every time his mind becomes lucid again.” Ani searched his expression longingly as if she could copy the memories out of his mind.  

Understanding dawned on him. “You’re wondering what you’re missing.”  

Ani’s eyes fell closed with tears falling; she rested her head on his shoulder and he pulled her as close as he could.  

“I thought I had accepted it...that those memories were lost. But thinking there might be a way to get them back...”  

“And then losing hope...” he quietly surmised; Ani nodded. “It’s okay...we’ll figure it out one way or another. And I’ll be by your side through it all.”  

“Thank you,” she whispered and entwined their fingers. “What are you thinking about?”  

He hesitated. “I...I don’t think I’m ready to say it out loud.”  

“Okay.” Ani’s heart flickered with worry. She pulled back to see his face and felt reassured. “I’ll be here when you are.”  

The corner of his mouth lifted in a smile. “I know.”  

Her eyes narrowed playfully at him. “You’re thinking about it again, aren’t you.”  

“What?” He asked, eyes widening innocently.  

“That memory you were thinking about on the way back from your family’s house a few weeks ago.”  

His lips spread in his real, full smile. “You know me too well.”  

“It’s because I love you so much...and I always will,” she said and snuggled into his chest again. He made a deep hum of satisfaction and rested his head on top of hers as she whispered a single word that made his heart skip a beat.  

A word he often added in his mind as a silent promise for her:  

“Forever.”  

 

 

 

It had been a long week. Shouto already knew that but he didn’t realize just how long it had been, how much he missed Ani until she was in his arms. And when she reaffirmed how much she loved him, it filled an Ani-size hole inside of him that he didn’t know was there. The moment the word left her lips he tipped up her chin.  

Judging by the way she responded to his kiss, she missed him, too.  

Claiming him eagerly, she shifted positions and straddled his lap. He could feel blood starting to rush to his groin; her weight felt so warm and so right on top of him. His hands began to roam.  

 

Well, fuck . Ani was getting more and more riled up...especially as Shouto’s strong hands explored her shape. Hell, she was only in a hoodie and jeans but felt like she could have been in the sexiest lingerie from how hard he was getting. He pulled back first, breath racing.  

“Oh god, Ani...I’ve missed you so much,” he moaned.  

She seized the chance to kiss his neck and tilted his head—he complied willingly—as she began kissing a path down his neck. He melted underneath her, relaxing into the couch as she worked the skin of his neck, and palmed her ass so her hips would follow. She got the message.  

Grinding into him, Ani felt his dick harden and his breath deepen in rhythm with her work on his skin. She wanted more of those sounds. Mouth still marking his neck, her fingers slipped under the hem of his tshirt and traced his stomach for a moment before lifting the fabric over his head.  

 

In the back of Shouto’s mind he knew Katsuki would be coming back soon. It was very likely the explosive ash-blonde would walk in, see them entangled like this, and have some sort of hotheaded reaction but he didn’t care. Ani’s lips and hands and fingers on his skin were enough to toss any concerns away. He turned to recapture her mouth and was met with empty air. She was sliding off him, sinking down to the floor in front of the couch as she spread his knees apart.  

“Ani,” he cautioned and she simply looked up at him blushingly.  

Fingertips at the button of his pants, she opened his fly and said “just say you want me to stop...and I will.”  

She must have seen the depth of his desire because she tried to hide her smile and kept going. He was getting more and more excited as she pulled him out of his underwear and enveloped him in her wet, warmth— 

 

Too long. It had been too long since she’d been able to love him like this. And watching his hands run through his own hair, head falling back on the couch, warmed the spot between her legs. His muscles flexing as she worked his dick up and down, precum already forming. She felt delirious to have the ability to make him feel like this...to love someone so deeply...and be loved in return... 

 

Katsuki stared at the scene he walked into.  

Especially since neither of them had heard him come in. 

Part of him knew he should be jealous. Offended. Maybe even enraged.  

But seeing Ani’s head enthusiastically buried in Shouto’s crotch made him...oddly aroused...And without thinking he started palming himself over his pants. He slowly walked over to the pair and finally Shouto’s eyes cracked open, noticing him without embarrassment.  

“Hey...” the red-white head said breathlessly to Katsuki, heavy-hooded gaze flicking down to the blonde between his eyes who paused.  

Ani turned and wiped her very red face with the back of her hand. “H-hey Katsuki.”  

A devilish smirk lifted the corner of his mouth. “Hello there goldilocks...” He unzipped his pants. Everything beyond Ani’s adorably flushed face and her dark blue eyes fell out of focus. “Seems like that mouth of yours is all warmed up.”  

It gave him a potent satisfaction to watch her bite her lips, eyes widening, as he pulled his own erection out.  

 

Shouto reached down and grabbed Ani by the hips, pulling her into his lap. He whispered gruffly. “We can’t leave him out...can we?”  

“Sh-Sho,” Ani mumbled.  

 

Ani’s whole body felt like it was on fire. Shouto wasn’t seriously suggesting...holy shit he was. He eased her pants down and bent her forward as Katsuki gently held her face.  

“Don’t worry, goldilocks...” he said, a glint in his red eyes. “You just let us know if we’re being too rough.”  

Ani dropped her jaw and took Katsuki in as deeply as she could. Not a moment later Shouto was pressing into her from behind. There was a collective sigh as all three of them began to feel the pulse of pleasure pick up.  

 

With every rut up into Ani’s hips, Shouto’s thrusts rolled down her inadvertently driving Katsuki deeper into her throat. She grabbed Katsuki’s hips for balance, distracted by the man pounding into her, and the ash-blonde took control from the front. He held her head; she relaxed, content to let him use her mouth. Ani felt too good to be shy about the drool forming at the edge of her lips and wetness undoubtedly flowing onto Shouto’s lap.  

“Jesus, goldilocks...your mouth feels so fucking good...” groaned Katsuki. Ani whimpered around his dick, clenching at the other end.  

“Everything feels so good,” Shouto moaned behind her. His libidinous breathlessness made Ani whimper again, sucking Katsuki’s tip down into her throat with every thrust. The ash-blonde's fingers rand through her hair.  

“Yeah...you like that?” He muttered. “You like hearing how good you take us?”  

She couldn’t disguise the sinful evidence Shouto experienced. “I think she does...” he purred.  

Color flushed Ani’s cheeks—as if she hadn’t already been blushing at the compromising position she was in.  

“It’s too bad your mouth’s full...” Katsuki noted sardonically.  

Shouto ‘mmed’ in agreement. “It’s fun to hear your sounds...”  

Ani mewled around Katsuki’s cock and could feel he was getting close; Shouto, too. She wondered if she was imaging the unspoken challenge to see who would cum first.  

There was no competition: it was her.  

When Shouto’s right hand slipped between her legs sending a chill right into her through her clit she whined high and long as her cunt clenched down, hard. In making the sound she had put so much slack in her jaw that Katsuki slipped deep into her throat feeling the sound through his whole member.  

Katsuki and Shouto climaxed at nearly the same moment. Warmth spewed into her from both ends with hot spurts that just kept coming until she felt dizzy. Katsuki saw the haziness in her eyes and released her mouth—Shouto pulled out—and she fell back onto the red-white head as she gulped lungfuls of fresh air and Shouto pulled her pants up, then his own. 

“Holy shit,” she panted. She heard Katsuki’s dark laugh and cracked an eye. He was draped over a kitchen chair, devilish smirk still in place.  

“Missed us?” He asked with his characteristic snark.  

Ani smiled and answered genuinely “yeah...more than I can say.” She rested her head against Shouto. “It’s so nice to have you guys here...”  

“It is.” Shouto cradled her limp body, savoring her weight against himself.  “But we’re going to have to be smart about this.”  

Katsuki snorted. “She’ll tell us if we go too far.” 

“No,” said Shouto with a roll of his eyes. “I mean...if the three of us make a habit of doing this every Friday and Saturday night...Those with malicious intentions will start to notice.”  

“Tch. There’s more than enough heroes left to deal with the drunkards on the weekends.”  

Ani’s expression fell. Katsuki noticed from across the room but it was Shouto who said something. "What's wrong?"  

“I was just thinking about what ‘Suki said...about the other heroes who would be around...”  

“What about it?” Katsuki asked flatly.  

Ani shifted so she could clearly see Shouto's and Katsuki's faces when she asked “did you know Deku’s closing his agency?”  

“Oi. Don’t say his name with the taste of my dick on your tongue.”  

Ani ignored his snippy response and focused on Shouto whose expression had become guarded.  

“Did you know?” she asked.  

His lips parted as he struggled to put his answer to words.

Chapter 129: A Wrinkle In Time

Chapter Text

Shouto stared down into the gaping abyss, the ringing in his ears slowly drowning out the sound of approaching sirens. Katsuki raged somewhere on the other side. They had to get everyone else out, Shouto knew this. But it wasn't like the last time.

His feet wouldn't move.

His brain couldn't think.

And his heart?

 

No...it wasn't like last time at all.

He couldn't say his heart was empty...because for something to be empty it has to exist.

 

His heart was gone.

Chapter 130: Three Months Later - Part One

Chapter Text

Three months of transitions. 

Three months of community service in the hospital helping critically ill patients. She gave presentations to her probation officer and the city still hoping to provide a free clinic for the general public. Her permits were finally approved to begin in the spring; Ani was grateful. In the dead cold of winter as it was, she wasn’t sure how many people would come out to the park for help.  

Three months also saw the change of the semester and Ani began teaching her first classes. She began with the third years as per Nezu’s request; those about to enter the field would benefit the most from what she had to teach. Eventually they would expand her syllabus to span across multiple years. For now, she was working to keep up with the classes she had.         

Three months; three new faculty members. At the start of the current semester Midnight, Ectoplasm, and Hound Dog retired as they had told Ani. And in their place Nezu hired three new heroes: a warm, sisterly red-head named Itsuka Kendo, a man more timid and shy than Ani had ever met—Amajiki Tamaki, and the former-pro-hero: Ingenium. Ani’s ignorance of pro-heroes shined through yet again when she thought that meant Iida Tenya would be the newest faculty member. It turned out to be his older brother Iida Tensei. Ani learned he asked Tenya to take the name when he became paralyzed from the waist down. Togota made sure to extend the lunch invitation to all three of them, forcing the growing group of now seven people to find a new place to each lunch every day.  

Ani was busier than ever between teaching her own class, observing multiple training sessions, treating injuries, community service. Shouto was grateful; the busier Ani was...the fewer questions she asked.  

Shouto still remembered that night when she confronted him and Katuski about it.  

 

“Did you know?” she asked.   

His lips parted as he struggled to put his answer to words.  

“He just needs a change of pace.”  

 

 

He could tell Ani didn’t accept the simple answer and continued to press him for a further explanation. Was it health-related? Because she could help! Was something wrong with his family? Had he or Uraraka been threatened? Was Uraraka pregnant?!  

It seemed like every week Ani had a new theory. She sifted through news and fan-sites to see if the former-number-one had been spotted anywhere but he hadn’t. It was like he vanished from the face of the earth and it lingered in the back of Ani’s mind.  

Without Deku the city’s underbelly metabolized and Shouto was spending most of his time in Musutafu instead of Dagoben. Waterfall effect meant that Katsuki’s activity had become essential to keeping crime low in Dagoben. 

Though neither Shouto nor Katsuki would admit it, a deep understanding of the demanding lifestyle—and sharing feelings for the same person—had established a mutual respect between the two pro-heroes. A respect that twisted into a strange, tolerance-almost-friendship between them. When their paths would cross at various meetings for the city or with the police the two pro-heroes did more than just acknowledge each other, often sharing private conversations and the rare inside joke.  

Their comradery did not go unnoticed.  

Starting with their most die-hard fans, rippling out to the larger fan-bases, and then into the mainstream media, the speculations ran wild. People were desperate to find out what was going on so Shouto went on tv for an interview to get ahead of the storm.  

 

 

Shouto sat down on the same set where he’d announced his feelings for Ani, without saying her name, and smiled to himself at the similarity.   

“Well, well, well, Mr. Number one,” the female host purred as thirsty as ever. “It’s so nice to have you back on our show.”   

“Thank you for having me,” he acknowledged respectfully.   

The male host crossed his legs and opened his arms. “Shouto, you know we’re all dying to find out so let’s just get right to it: what is going on with yourself, Miss Shida, and Bakugo Katsuki of all people?!”  

The crowd cried out.   

Shouto waited for them to quiet down under the hosts playful direction to do so. “We’re together.”   

The crowd went wild. There was a clamor that swallowed the whole studio and Ani felt like she was going to pass out in her chair from the infirmary where Ani was watching. She feared for Shouto’s safety until the hosts—and probably some off-screen security—were able to calm them down.   

“So...when you say you’re together ,” the male host asked, digging for details.   

Shouto waited and Ani could tell he was holding back a smirk. He wasn’t going to make this easy for them.   

The male host cleared his throat. “Do you mean to say you’re all involved?”   

“Yes.”   

The female host fainted. Several crew members rushed on stage and the camera zoomed in, cutting her out of the frame to focus on the two men.   

“In a relationship?”   

“Yes.”   

“Together?”   

“Yes.” Ani couldn’t help up laugh at the subtle shift in Shouto’s demeanor; he felt like was talking to an idiot.   

“So even you and...” the male host seemed to be struggling to ask for the specific details that weren’t being volunteered. “...All three of you? Physically? Together?”   

Shouto played the world like a master, turning to the camera with the hint of a playful smile on his face. “A gentleman doesn’t kiss-and-tell.”   

 

There was no calming the studio crowd and the interview was cut short. Reporters swarmed Dagoben, searching for Katsuki until he was found on patrols. He hadn’t seen the interview yet and was caught off-guard by the questions of his ‘sexual’ relationship with Shouto. The hot-head's only response had simply been a rageful:  

 

HE WOULD BE SO LUCKY!”   

 

 

After that, the public went absolutely crazy. Rumors spread like wildfire and consumed every form of media available but neither pro-hero answered any more questions or spoke on the subject at all. They were content to let the storm surge and let people think what they wanted because as long as the public was obsessed with the possibility of Shouto and Katsuki being romantically involved, there was no attention directed at Ani. And that was their ultimate goal.  

Neither pro wanted her to endure any kind of hate or scrutiny and for the most part, she avoided it all. It was especially easy on campus...save for the rare occasions when she had to go into the city and she was always on edge. She tried to time it with the evening rush hour so she could meld into the crowd of tired workers just wanting to get home and it worked.  

Usually.  

There had been a few times, including today, when extra work kept her late at school and she couldn’t get off campus before dusk. The dark night had already settled over the city when Ani finally made it out of the office and found an empty fridge in her apartment. She needed groceries. It was at least pouring that night...Ani knew she had a good chance of making it to-and-from campus without being swarmed by fans or reporters. She resigned to the task.  

In the hood of an oversized raincoat—admittedly one of Shouto’s old ones that she adopted when he no longer needed it—her face was well hidden. The closest convenience store was only a few blocks away. No problem.  

Almost. 

She wasn’t quite sure when she made the mistake. Was it right when she walked in? The moment she let her hood fall so it wouldn’t drip into her basket? Or when she asked the clerk a question? All that really mattered was that she was recognized.  

And not in a good way.  

On her walk back, rain falling ferociously, she felt the hair on the back of her neck rise. With a glance behind her that was far from subtle she saw the two drenched shadows following her. The bags were heavy, groceries barely staying dry. They would only slow her down if she were to try to run and made it too difficult to get her phone.  

The only other people out on the street were keeping their heads down; no one wanted to get soaked.  

She wasn’t that far from campus. She wasn’t that far from campus. She kept saying it over and over to herself and she could see the base of the hill for UA when a van swerved, cutting close to the curb and drenching Ani in a huge wave. On reflex she threw up her arm and the contents of her bag spilled onto the sidewalk.  

“Shit,” she mumbled and crouched to regather everything before it soaked and threw a glance over her shoulder. The shadows were gone. To anyone else this would have been a relief but it only made Ani panic. She scrambled and reached for the last item when a hand flashed down and picked it up first.  

“Nehhh...look at this Kushami,” a deep, mocking voice said above her. “Who would’ve thought the girl-friend of two pro-heroes would eat so may cup’o’noodles?”  

An irritating, hoarse voice giggled. “Who would’ve thought indeed ?”  

In a flash the two people each grabbed an arm and dragged her into the alley, covering her mouth so she couldn’t scream. Her bags ripped and fresh groceries spilled just inside the shadow as she fought back using three months of continuous exercise, conditioning, and training with Togota, Shinsou, and Shouto, even Katsuki when he was around.  

One lay unconscious, the other’s arm locked in a hold behind their back; she called the police and they were there in minutes and took the two seemingly-petty criminals into custody. After watching the squad cars drive away she gave a forlorn glance to the alley at her spilled goods and went back to the convenience store.  

The doors opened with a cheery chime good-bye and she stepped out into the downpour again, nearly walking into a familiar solid chest.  

“Shouto,” she said lifting her eyes up from under her hood. “Hi.”  

“Hi.” His hair was completely soaked sticking to his forehead, framing his handsome features. Ani could see the concern written across his face.  

“They called you?” she asked. He took her groceries, rain running down his arms and dripping onto the double-layered-tied-shut-bags, and they fell into step together.  

“They did. Especially since I was searching for the very two people you apprehended.”  

“Really?” Ani’s eyes bulged as she glanced up.  

Shouto nodded. “They’ve committed a string of kidnappings across the city.” She saw his fists and forearms flex with frustration. “I never thought they’d be this close to campus.”  

“It’s okay,” Ani reassured him, wrapping her arms around one of his. “Not even a scratch.”  

“I’m glad.”  

When they reached campus and he stayed by her side, she kept her hood low to hide her hope and asked “do you have to go back out on rounds?”  

“I could always go out on more rounds...but I’m confident in the number of others out on rounds tonight.” He sounded tired; and it wasn’t surprising since he’d been out on duty until after she left for work. “I just want to be with you tonight.”  

“I’d like that,” she said, turning her face up to him with a huge smile. He smiled—his real smile—and leaned in to kiss her. She welcomed it with enthusiasm, hood falling back, as she cupped his cheeks. By the time they pulled apart her own hair was soaked and water had begun dripping under the coat collar. Both grinning, she took a bag from him and they held hands, running through the rain with a frivolity of youth that had Ani laughing by the time they reached the building.  

Chapter 131: Part Two

Chapter Text

“Alright, alright. Settle down,” called Ani over her class even though she knew they would be freaking out again in moments. “I’m passing back your exams, you all did well. Read through the notes, talk to me if there are any questions.”  

There was a rustling of papers as the students flipped through the packets and Ani returned to the front. “Now, today we’re going to have another practical less—”  

The door opened and she couldn’t finish her sentence. The moment the class saw their number one hero they went wild, jumping out of their seats and cheering. Shouto lifted a hand in stoic acknowledgement, ever the unshakable hero.  

“Nehhh, what’s going on?” Togota’s face appeared through the chalkboard and he smiled. “Oh, Todoroki...no wonder everyone’s so worked up!”  

“Sorry for the disturbance,” he said with a bow of his head and Ani calmed them as much as she could. Once they would finally listen Ani explained their lesson. She’d been preparing Shouto for it all week...he was still reluctant but knew Ani would ask Katsuki for help if he said no. And he would rather be the one to do this.  

The class pulled their desks back, creating a ringed open space. Tension filled the air as Shouto and Ani faced each other. She offered her arm.  

“It’s okay,” she reassured him with a smile. Shouto’s stomach flipped as he reached forward with his left hand and his fingertips gingerly touched her skin. Flames danced between them. He kept his eyes on hers, ignoring the feeling of her skin burning beneath his fingers. Students began gasping, whispering as Ani grit her teeth. Before her tears fell Shouto extinguished the flames and withdrew his hand.  

“Okay,” said Ani turning to display her arm. “Let’s begin.”  

For the rest of the class Ani continued like this, giving students real-time experience identifying and treating the different degrees of burns. Shouto could see her energy waning. As the class ended and students filed out Shouto pulled her in for a hug and slipped a syringe into her back.  

“Shouto!” she whispered angrily at him. “What are you doing?”  

“I can’t watch you go through this, Ani,” he said gently and made sure her own blood was all gone before pocketing the empty vial. “I admire what you’re doing for your students...but you have to take care of yourself if you’re going to go to such extremes.”  

She sighed, relaxing into his waist. “Fine.” He could already tell she was feeling better; he knew the wave of relieving energy her blood provided.  

“Thank you,” he murmured.  They heard the happy chattering of students in the hall and excited whispers when they caught sight of the number one hero in a loving embrace with their school nurse.  

“Come on,” he said, releasing her when she pulled back but took her bag and pile of papers. “Let’s get you some lunch.”  

“I heard that,” Togota said, stepping through the wall nearly walking into the couple. “I’m starving.”  

Ani turned her smile up to Shouto. “Will you eat lunch with us today?"  

“I don’t want to intrude.”  

“Nonsense!” The bubbling blonde said walking off with a cheery stride. “You would be a welcome addition! We’ll see you soon!”  

“See you soon, Togota.” Ani and Shouto wove through the clearing hallways and dropped off her stuff. There were two wrapped bento boxes waiting on her desk; she realized Shouto had been trying to surprise her. “Oh, Shouto—”  

“No, it’s fine,” he assured her. He pulled her against his side and kissed the top of her head. “As long as I’m with you I don't mind."  

And he didn’t. If it had been Katsuki, there would have been an angry, fuming atmosphere hanging over the lunch but Shouto found himself at ease. He never got to know Kendo when he was a student...she was a lot like Fuyumi. She made everyone around her feel comfortable and, along with Togota, was clearly the warm epicenter of the group.  

“They’re great, really,” he assured Ani on their walk back to the infirmary.  

She smiled. “I’m glad you think so. They remind me a lot of all you guys from your old class...they way everyone is so comfortable with each other.”  

Shouto nodded; he could see that.  

“Has Katsuki given you an answer about the reunion party this weekend?” Ani asked him when they were alone in her office.  

“You know him...if you ask him directly, he’ll probably say yes.” Shouto smirked. “It’s probably what he’s waiting for after all.”  

Ani rubbed her forehead. “He’s such a baby sometimes.”  

“I can’t blame him...It’s nice to be wanted by you.” Shouto sat on the edge of her desk and started pulling her in. 

She gave him a quick kiss and gently kept him at arms length. With playful reprimand she said “we have to set an example here, you know.”  

“I know,” he sighed respectfully and stood up to leave.  

As she prepped for the next period she smiled at him timidly. “I’ll see you tonight?”  

“Of course.” He swooped in and stole a longer kiss making her blush. “I’ll see you tonight.”  

 

 

 

Katsuki grumbled “don’t understand why we have to go to this stupid thing...first night together in a while and I have to spend it with these nerds.”  

Ani turned around from the front seat, light rolling rhythmically through the car from the street lamps. “Thank you for coming...I really wanted to see everyone and it wouldn’t feel right if you weren’t there—if either of you weren’t there—” she added with a smile to Shouto who glanced at her from the corner of her eye while he was driving. “And if you guys really aren’t having any fun we can leave early, okay?”  

Shouto ‘mmed’ with a nod and Ani turned back to Katsuki "... okay ?”  

“Fine.” The bright-red irises met hers with a softening hostility.  

She smiled. “Thanks.” Turning back around she glanced at her phone, they were probably going to be the last ones there but that was okay. If everyone was already there she wouldn’t be anxiously waiting to see if Midoriya showed up. She would get her answer right away.  

And the answer was no.  

Relaxed and lounging around everyone welcomed the trio with happiness and Ani tried to hide her disappointment after a scan of the room. She was still happy to see these people, too, after all. As she mingled with everyone, Shouto and Katsuki catching up with people, she wondered if anyone else knew about Midoriya’s disappearance. Aside from him and Uraraka only Froppy and Koda weren’t there. Was that a coincidence?  

From what she could tell Katsuki wasn’t anxious to leave, a few beers in and he was contentedly heckling Kaminari and Kirshima playing a game of chess. Shouto was happily chatting with others and Ani was looking for Mina when the pink-head in question burst excitedly into the room.  

“OKAY!” She cheered. “Let’s have some fun!”  

“What do you have in mind?” Mineta asked, waggling his eyebrows.  

Sero, Momo, and Jiro came in from the balcony. “Are we playing something?”  

With much fanfare Mina produced a fistful of chopsticks. “THE KING GAME!”  

A collective groan sounded around the room except for Mineta and Kaminari who threw their fists in the air.  

Katsuki stood up from the couch and said “yeah, I’m out.”  

He and Shouto exchanged an agreeing look. “I think I’ll skip this, too,” Shouto said.  

Jiro and a few others started heading to the door as Mina cried excessive tears begging people to stay.  

“I’ll stay.”  

Shouto and Katsuki froze; they slowly turned back to their girlfriend who was already reaching toward Mina’s hand.  

“I haven’t played this in so long,” Ani said happily.  

Shouto and Katsuki both paled—Katsuki lunged to knock Mina’s fist away and Shouto pounced on Ani yanking her against his chest and spinning away with her.  

“Oops,” she said innocently and held up a chopstick with a stark ‘4’ written on the bottom. She smiled. “I guess I’m playing.”  

Shouto’s brow dipped angrily; he thought they’d been quicker than that.  

“Nehhh, I got a ‘7’!” Mineta shouted sadly from behind them. Shouto clutched Ani as more people changed their minds and Mina cheerily offered more. They stared at each other for a long moment, Shouto’s chest tight with unhappiness and Ani feeling guilty. There was something else he saw in her eyes...was it...determination?  

“Oi! Half-and-half!” barked Katuski. “Get over here and draw a goddamned number before you’re the last one!”  

Ani blinked and the glint in her eye was gone. Shouto slowly released her and saw Mina only had three left in her hand—one for Mina, Shouto, and Momo. Ani gulped, suddenly nervous if this really was a good idea or not.  

Mina pulled the number ‘8’...Momo pulled a ‘16’...Mineta gave an angry cry of disappointment as Shouto drew the number ‘2’.  

“How does this guy get absolutely everything!”  

Ani twirled the chopstick in her fingers as the group settled into a loose ring around the room.  

“Okay!” Mina circled the middle space and pointed around. “The rules are simple. On your turn you get to challenge two people to a dare. If the person chickens out...” she popped a cap of a black permanent marker. “...the king gets to draw whatever they want on your face!”  

“Tch, great,” snarled Katsuki. He pulled Ani onto his lap and Shouto sat right next to them. Ani could feel Katsuki’s nervousness in the way his arms flexed, clutching her. 

“And, of course,” Mina added “no cameras, pictures, or video. And no challenges that can hurt someone.” She gave a pointed look to Katsuki; Ani could feel the roll of his eyes from behind her. “Does everyone agree?”  

There was a round of consent and Mina extended an open palm. “To our first king!...”  

Ani held her breath—she hadn’t noticed who drew the first chopstick—and watched the group’s attention turn... 

“Aoyama!” 

 

 

 

Ani released the breath she held. It was just Aoyama. The stylish, sparkling blonde who never made a strong impression on Ani either way. He wouldn’t do anything crazy right off the bat, right?! 

“My oh my!” crowed the feathery voice as Aoyama twirled into the center of the room, taking Mina’s place. “What an honor to be your first king—”  

“Get on with it, twinkle toes,” snapped Katsuki.  

The blonde stopped twirling and gave the explosive pro a cutting look. “Twinkle toes, eh? I wouldn’t expect such a barbarian of your low-caliber to recognize greatness even this fantastic!” He pointed a slender finger at Bakugo. “My first order as king is simple! You and Todoorki kiss!”  

Ani’s eyes widened as cat-calls and jaunts cheered around the room.  

“Ehhh, what’s the matter, Bakugo ?” Aoyama blinked innocently and flicked the cap off the marker. “Chickening out already?”  

“Tch. As if!” barked Katsuki and, one arm still wrapped around Ani, he grabbed the back of Shouto’s neck and yanked him in barely giving the heterochromatic male time to brace himself on the arm of the chair. After a split second Shouto closed his surprised eyes, accepting the rough but chaste kiss. Gasps and a collective ‘oooooo’ bounced around as Ani’s face flushed with heat.  

Katsuki released Shouto with a snarl aimed at Aoyama. “There, chicken-shit my ass you lousy king.”  

Aoyama smirked. “Not bad...but for my second order as king: Shouto! You have to tell us what you thought of that kiss.”  

Unphased, Shouto shrugged. “It was fine.” He glanced at Ani, a smile pulling at the corner of his lips and she could read his mind: I’ve had better .  

“That was so boring!” Mineta yelled, disappointed the flashy blonde hadn’t chosen a more scandalous second order.  

“Well, boring or not, I pass the crown to you, Mr. Todoroki!” With a flourish Aoyama offered the marker to Shouto who awkwardly stood, not taking the center of the circle.  

“Alright...I guess...Iida...what’s your favorite kind of fruit?”  

Everyone stared at Shouto for a moment before Mineta angrily muttered “this guy gets to be the second king and he's not even going to help us see some—”  

With a swift chop to the purple-ball-hair, Iida silenced the creep. “I most enjoy peaches, Todoroki.”  

Shouto nodded and Ani was grateful the old class rep didn’t make a big deal about it.  

“Alright...” Shouto thought for a long moment. “I guess I’ll challenge Kirishima to arm-wrestle Sato...after he eats a cupcake.”  

Sato stood up, cracking his knuckles and Kirishima grinned his spikey, toothy smile; Shouto created a small platform of ice in the middle of the room for them to use.  

“Try to remember to look manly, even when you lose,” Kirishima said with a grin.  

Sato swallowed a cupcake with a tower of frosting and pumped up his arm muscle. “Good advice for yourself,” he retorted.  

The group cheered as the two men struggled until Kirishima’s ultra-hardened fist was slammed down and shattered the ice-table.  

“Nice try, Kirishima,” cried Ani with a few other shouts of encouragement.  

Katsuki jeered “he only ate a cupcake, shitty-hair!”  

“He was still suped-up!” The red-head protested as he took his seat on the other side of his best friend. “I’ll get you back for that, Todoroki.”  

Shouto smirked, handing the marker off.  

“That’s right, people!” Kaminari haughtily proclaimed. “I am your gracious...your all-righteous third king!"  

Mineta rubbed his hands together. “Alright...now this one will be good.” He elbowed Ojiro. “This guy’s as perverted as I am.”  

“For my first decree,” Kaminari said with a sly smirk. “I challenge all the girls to...flash us!”  

Katsuki’s arms became a vice around Ani and she could see wisps of hot and cold steam coming off both of Shouto’s arms. Ani cringed. She knew this had been a risk.  

“Ugh, fine!” Mina jumped up from her seat, face flushed with intoxication and she reached for the hem of her shirt. Ani looked away, her own face blushing. Shouto turned away, too, and Katsuki made no move to lean around her, face resting against her back.  

“YEAH!”  

“Hell yeah!”  

Whistles and cat-calls went around the room as Mina giggled. Ani only looked up when she heard Mina plop back down into the chair.  

“Fuck off,” Jira said and crossed her arms as Kaminari waggled his eyebrows at her.  

“Alright, your choice,” he said with a big smile and popped the cap on his marker. He leaned in, blocking the group’s view and stepped back after a moment. Ani’s throat closed up.  

He’d written ‘CHICKEN’ in huge letters across her forehead and drew two terrible chickens on her cheeks.  

“Well, Momo?” Kaminari asked haughtily, tossing the marker in his hands, as he walked up to the busty black-haired hero. “What’s it gonna be?”  

She rolled her eyes and began unbuttoning her blouse. “I don’t see what you’re all so obsessed about.”  

Mineta was literally dripping drool, fingers wiggling forward creepily. Ani looked away again. The cat-calling took longer this time and Ani felt her face ripen with insecurity and—if she was honest with herself—jealousy. Momo had many things going for her, including her body, and Ani was still furious with her for kissing Shouto. But anything Ani was feeling was washed away when Shouto slipped his fingers between hers. She turned and saw his eyes firmly closed, face turned to the floor. Katsuki was leaning the opposite way, using Ani to block his own view. Warmth spread in her chest, feeling loved and reassured.  

“Your turn.”  

The warmth bled from Ani’s chest as Kaminari stepped in front of her. He spun the marker in his fingers, trusting the resolve of the pro-hero underneath her far too much. Katuski’s arms were frighteningly tight and she could feel the growl starting deep within his chest.  

“No, thanks,” Ani declined and turned her face up to Kaminari.  

The sparky-yellow-haired man pouted. “Nehh...are you really going to make me draw on that pretty face of yours?” He shrugged. “Your choice.”  

She could feel the piercing, threatening glares aimed at him; she thought he might have gulped as he leaned in. The ink was cold on her skin.  

“That’s so unfair!” Jiro angrily shouted from across the room when Kaminari leaned back. Ani felt herself blushing, wondering what had been written. “You wrote so much more on my face!”  

Momo tsked, looking down on Ani. “It’s only because her two guard-dogs are right there.” 

“Maybe it was because Ani was polite about it and didn’t tell him to fuck off!” Katsuki vehemently defended Ani.  

“It’s okay. She’s not wrong,” Ani quietly assured him. “What did he draw?”  

She turned, drawing Katsuki’s attention in and he smirked. “A chicken on fire.”  

“That’s not so bad,” she murmured in relief. She was grateful it wasn’t anything worse though she did feel bad for Jiro.  

Kaminari moved on with a less-perverted challenge for his second command and Ani’s ears began to ring. Was she really going to use her turn for this?  

 

 

Before she could question herself Kaminari was back in front of her with the marker. "Your turn, Shida!"  

Ani accepted the marker with a smile and Katsuki begrudgingly let her stand up. She tapped her chin. “Okay...I have kind of a strange challenge...and it’s for everyone, all at once.” She couldn’t look at Shouto. “I demand that you raise your hand if...you know where Deku is.”  

Silence fell around the room but it wasn’t an awkward silence. It was tense. And it spoke volumes. Ani realized there was no way to know if each person was refusing to answer and yet the collective reaction was answer enough. 

They knew.  

She turned to the most transparent, honest of them all whose honor wouldn’t hide the truth.  

“Iida-kun?”  

All eyes flicked to him.  

“Do you know where Deku is?” Her eyes measured his expression. “Where’s been for the past three months?”  

Iida adjusted his glasses. “Yes.”  

“Iida!” interjected Ojiro and a few others made sounds of disapproval. There was the sudden feeling of being kept in the dark as her instincts had told her all along. 

Steeling herself for this, the most important part, she challenged him “tell me where he is...where he has been?”  

There were harsh whispers aimed at Iida not to give in, to remember what was going on, this was outside the rules of the game. But Iida’s blue eyes were locked with Ani’s as she willed the truth out of him.  

“Miss Shida—”  

“Enough.”  

Ani blinked, stare broken by Shouto’s chilling voice. She turned to find him standing, fists clenched at his sides. “What?” she asked him incredulously.  

“This is why you stayed to play, isn’t it?” demanded Shouto.  

Ani didn’t answer; it was obvious enough.  

Something unexpected swam through Shouto’s eyes—disappointment? Defeat?...fear?—and Ani almost gave in.  

But she trusted her instincts. And right now, they told her she needed to know. That something was happening more than a simple sabbatical for the former number one.  

Still holding her gaze he said “I’ll be the one to tell you, if you’re going to find out tonight.”  

Without waiting for an answer he walked away from the circle. Ani quickly handed off the marker to someone, leaving the next turn to be figured out as she followed Shouto into a spare bedroom. He closed the door and sat with her on the bed. Heavy silence hung between them as drunken party sounds began to rise from the living room.  

Ani waited silently, watching Shouto fold his hands and stare at the floor from the corner of her eye.  

“You’re a fan of Midoriya’s...so I don’t need to recount how his name became so well-known.”  

Ani nodded. “He ended All-For-One.”  

“Do you know anything about him?”  

“Just...that he was a villain with a lot of quirks...and he’d been All Might’s archenemy before Midoriya’s. And wasn’t he alive for a really long time?”  

“He was.” Shouto took a steadying breath. “What made All-For-One so powerful was his quirk itself: the ability to transfer quirks between people. And as a villain, he used that ability to steal a wealth of quirks from other people making him incredibly difficult to stop. When Midoriya killed All-For-One...we thought his quirk died with him. 

“But it didn’t. He passed it along—not the obvious choice of Shigaraki, his successor—to someone else. Midoriya has been trying to find them.”  

“Why?” Ani asked with hesitation.  

Shouto slowly straightened up. “There are signs they’re going to make a move, their first move, for power. Now that everything seems back to normal for the public and people become complacent...we think they’re starting to move.”  

Ani’s mind began to churn with everything Shouto was saying. “Where are they going to attack?” 

“They won’t.”  

“What?” Ani’s brow furrowed and their eyes met. “They’re not going to...I don’t know...attack the cities? Like Hogo Sareta did?”  

Shouto shook his head. “They won’t. They’re not anything like Hogo Sareta.”  

Ani couldn’t imagine what kind of villain they were talking about.  

“Do you know how to cook a frog, Ani?”  

“What?” Her face crumpled in complete confusion.  

Shouto cupped her cheek, smoothing out her concerned features. “If a frog is put in boiling water, it will leap out, knowing it’s in danger. But...if you put a frog in a pot of cold water and then slowly warm it to boiling...the frog doesn’t do anything. It stays in the water, blissfully unaware of what’s happening to itself as it dies.  

“These people...this is their method. They’re not going to pop out in the open with a large, dramatic attack because it’s too easy for them to be seen as villains. But if they work slowly, diligently...and chip away at the way things are...”  

“People won’t realize they’re in danger,” finished Ani.  

Shouto nodded sadly. “Ryoshi and Rua hastily tried this and failed. The villains are being even more cautious now. Using underhanded tactics. Fighting in the shadows. It makes it difficult to confront them head-on like we usually do.”  

“So Deku went off-the-radar to find them.” Ani’s shoulders sagged with the realization that their world could be washing away underneath her and she didn’t even realize. “But...why didn’t you just tell me?”  

“Because we didn’t want you to get hurt,” Katsuki said from the doorway. Frowning as he leaned on the doorframe he added “you have this tendency to think you can save everyone and put yourself in harms way to do so. Just like that damn nerd...and it’s really annoying.”  

“We’ve been keeping the public distracted from Midoriya’s disappearance as well as we can,” explained Shouto.  

Ani nodded, understanding the dual purpose of Shouto’s television interview. “Has he been able to find anything?”  

Shouto nodded. “A few leads. His team is out looking for them, too. We’ve all been keeping in touch, helping in anyway we can.”  

“Those two bozos you caught in the rain a few nights ago were with them.”  

Shouto gave Katsuki a cutting look and the ash-blonde just rolled his eyes. 

“Please...if they’re working with wannabe-gangsters as lame as that then they’re all a joke.”  

“The frog cooks,” murmured Ani.  

Katsuki scowled. “Huh?”  

“Underestimating...overlooking...brushing them off...it leads to complacency, repeated over and over until they’re in power.” Ani turned to Shouto. “And there’s really nothing I can do to help?”  

He brushed her cheeks with his warm fingers and shook his head. “Staying on campus, staying safe is the most helpful thing you can do for us right now.”  

“Okay,” accepted Ani. Shouto kissed the top of her head and Katsuki pulled her into a massive hug when she tried to pass.  

“Seriously, goldilocks. Listen to the icy-hot bastard,” he whispered gruffly into her ear.  

She nodded and had no interest in finishing the game. As it turned out, no one else did either. Ani’s mention of Midoriya’s absence had brought the mood down and no one—expect for a very upset Mineta—wanted to challenge each other to anything else.  

Ani, Shouto, and Katsuki began saying good-bye as the party puttered out. Though Ani felt it was her fault the night was over no one said anything to make her feel badly 

Except for Momo.  

In passing the scandalous hero noted in a scathing whisper “now you know. Must be nice to be the center of attention.” She scoffed. “Like you and your quirk are really all that valuable.” 

Ani tried to let go of the rising anger that threatened to make her snap. She left in such a haze of frustration that it wasn’t until she was on the way home that she realized what Momo had really said:  

It was about more than just Shouto and Katsuki... 

Because the two of them didn’t love her for her quirk .  

Now you know

Because Shouto had just taken Ani into the other room to explain everything... 

 

 

 

...almost everything.  

Chapter 132: Hindsight

Notes:

Quick note -- please let me know if it would be helpful to include a character index chapter. I know I've made a ton of OCs and want to make sure it doesn't take away from the story

Chapter Text

Ani watched Shouto and Katsuki as they slowly settled into her apartment. Exchanging slights, jokes, and quiet comments. They really weren’t bothered by each other’s presence…Ani wished she could enjoy it and melt into their contentment.  

She sank rigidly onto the couch, their voices fading away.  

“Ani?”  

Her attention snapped back into place staring up at the red-white head standing in front of her and the angry ash-blonde watched from the kitchen.  

“What’s wrong?” Shouto asked with a frown.  

Ani’s eyes met his, already overflowing with sadness. “They’re coming for me…aren’t they?” 

Shouto slowly crouched in front of her, swallowing thickly, and wiped away her tear.  

“I was hoping you wouldn’t find out,” he quietly admitted. “You’ve been so happy for the past three months…I wanted that to last as long as possible for you.”  

“They’re not going to get their hands on you,” growled Katsuki from the kitchen. Though he glowered at Ani she knew his animosity was not for her.  

Barely able to speak she asked “why?” Her face pinched, trying not to cry anymore and Shouto  pulled her into his arms. “What for?”  

“The holder of All-For-One…his body has become unstable.” Shouto’s eyes unfocused as he cradled Ani’s head against his chest.  

 

 

 

“Hey Aino...” Shouto said with a bow of his head as he let himself into the surgeon’s office.   

Just a pro hero. Visiting his girlfriend’s brother.   

Totally normal visit.   

“Hey Shouto.” Aino glanced up from his paperwork and made a welcoming gesture toward one of his chairs. “Sorry, let me just finish this up.”   

"Take your time." Shouto’s eyes drifted around as he waited patiently and they fell on the picture of himself, Ani, and Aino under the cherry blossoms. The corner of Shouto’s mouth twitched, wanting to smile.   

“Okay.” Aino closed his laptop and stacked all the papers off to one side. “What’s up?”   

Shouto smiled—the polite one that never touched his eyes. “Just stopping by. I know Ani hasn’t been able to see you a lot recently especially now that her classes have started...So I thought I’d stop in to see how things are going.”   

Aino’s brow raised and he leaned back in his chair. “Why are you really here?”   

Shouto frowned; he’d been rehearsing the nonchalance all week. It should’ve been fine. “I just told you: to see how things are going.”   

Aino held the heterochromatic gaze. “Shouto. Even if you didn’t want to know how things were going, Hana would make sure you did. And you’re not one to drop in. For the years I’ve known you, small talk has never been a priority.” He strummed his fingers. “Are you going to make me guess?”   

“No,” replied Shouto. “I’m here to make you aware of something.”   

“About Ani?” Aino’s mind was already making the connections. “Is she in danger?”   

“We think she might be.”  

We?” 

Shouto nodded. “The other heroes and I. The criminal underworld is trying to worm it’s way into the safety and structure of our society and topple everything from within under the command of someone with an extremely powerful quirk.”   

“What kind of quirk?”   

Shouto produced a sheet of paper; a profile of the person for whom Midoriya had been searching. “Rumors nickname it ‘fission’, others simply call it ‘dissolve’.”   

“They can separate atoms.” Aino’s features tightened as he read. “No. ..it’s more than that...My god,” he whispered.   

Shouto remained quiet; he had been hoping the surgeon could understand what they were up against.   

Aino finished reading and cupped his forehead, mind racing. “I don’t...I don’t think I understand.”   

Fear crystalized in Shouto’s chest. “You don’t?”   

“If this report is correct...” he laid the paper down. “This person is capable of releasing subatomic particles that destroy molecular and...and atomic bonds...which means...there is nothing they cannot destroy.”   

“So, what don’t you understand?”   

Aino’s eyes fell to the paper. “I don’t understand how anyone’s body could survive a quirk like that.”   

“They can’t,” admitted Shouto. Aino looked at him and his eyes hollowed with fear.   

“Ani.”  

Shouto nodded. “We think they’re going to target her for her regeneration...” He forced the words out. “Can her quirk survive something this extreme?”   

Aino covered his mouth, trying to contain his nausea...he nodded. Shouto’s eyes fell closed and he held his head in his hands.   

He knew it before even coming here...but he knew it for sure now.   

Aino cleared his throat and struggled to say “we call Ani’s quirk regeneration because it is. In the simplest form, it’s regeneration.”   

Shouto slowly lifted his head to look at the surgeon whose eyes were focused far away.   

“Our father had the ability to create stem-cells...do you know what those are?” Shouto nodded and Aino continued. “That coupled with my mother’s ability—in its simplest form—to understand complex problems created Ani’s regeneration...but it’s more than that. Ani told you she couldn’t have children, right?”   

“She did but I—”   

Aino held up his hand. “That’s something we can talk about another time. Right now I need you to understand why.” He took a steadying breath. “Ani cannot have children because her body maintains an exact condition of existence.”   

“What do you mean?”   

“Normal female anatomy experiences routine cyclical changes, I.e. the menstrual cycle, which allows for conception. Ani’s body doesn’t allow her to cycle. It maintains an exact baseline of health at all times . When she’s injured or her health conditions deviate from that baseline, her quirk kicks in to return her to that exact, unchanging condition. That’s why her quirk can only help others heal from an active injury.   

“Have you ever wondered why your scar never healed after being given Ani’s blood and bone marrow?” Aino watched Shouto as the information sank in. “It’s because your body is not actively trying to heal from that wound. It has integrated the production of skin cells in that condition into your baseline.”   

“That’s why Bakugo never had any scars.”   

Aino nodded. “Those burns she healed all over his body those years ago...they were new injuries. His body was trying to heal from them when her blood entered his system.”   

Shouto frowned. “Why are you telling all of this to me now?”   

“Ani’s quirk allows her body to stay in an exact, stable condition...” Aino said heavily. “ So if this person...is looking for a way to survive an unstable quirk...”   

“Ani is exactly who they will be looking for.”   

 

 

 

“So they’re going to take my quirk?” Ani whispered with pained incredulousness.  

Something snapped in the kitchen; buried within Shouto’s chest Ani couldn’t see but she imagined Katsuki breaking something. “Like I said, goldilocks...they’re not going to get their hands on you.”  

Ani gave herself another minute in Shouto’s arms. One more minute before the reality of her future came rushing in.  

When that minute was over she pulled away. “I have to make a few calls,” she said quietly and closed herself in her room. 

 

 

 

Katsuki laid next to Ani’s sleeping form. Even in sleep she looked troubled now…it made his heart hurt.  

“Oi. You dramatic ass,” he quietly rebuked Shouto who was standing at the window. “What are we going to do about this?”  

“You mean aside from the obvious?”  

“Tch.” Katsuki scowled at the back of his head. “When was the last time we heard from him?”  

“Last week. They haven’t come back into port yet—Koda lost track of them in the open ocean…not enough animals or something like that.”  

Katsuki brushed a hair from Ani’s cheek. “Damn cowards.” Through gritted teeth he said “I’m going to blow them off the face of this earth.”  

Shouto turned from the window. “This isn’t that kind of—”  

“I know it’s not, dumbass!” Katsuki snapped; Ani shifted, grimacing in sleep and both pair of eyes flicked to her face...she didn’t wake up. “I’m just pissed off is all.”  

“You’re not the only one.” Shouto’s eyes glowed in the dark. He came to the side of the bed and lifted the sheet back to check Ani’s wrist. The plain black bracelet was easy enough to mistake for a regular fitness-watch band except that it contained a powerful encoded tracking signal that could only be read by the Todoroki Agency. Ani agreeing to wear it had been a small piece of mind for Shouto—and Katsuki—as they prepared to face what was coming.  

 

 

 

~

 

Aside from the looming threat of losing her quirk and the world ending, Ani went along with her days as normally as she could. Grading papers, teaching classes, observing training sessions...it was so normal it felt surreal. Community service, helping patients, donating blood. The director of the hospital asked to meet with her to thank her in person for her service.  

Shouto assured her it hadn't always been like this. There had been stretches of time in their relationship that weren’t so heavy; they would get back to that, soon.  

“I promise.” He cupped her cheeks, locking eyes with her in complete seriousness. “We’ll go back to my family’s beach house one day. Or that ski resort. Or back to the Maldives, I don’t care.”  

“Jesus, how the fuck did you become number one when you were taking so many vacations?” grumbled Katsuki from Ani’s couch. Shouto retorted but Ani didn’t hear. 

She wished she could remember. She knew they happened because she'd seen the pictures... reassuring but it also made her sad...longing for what was lost.  

Katsuki scowled, still saying something to Shouto as he crossed the apartment and angrily threw something away. He paused and stepped on the pedal to open the can again.  

“Oi. Goldilocks...” he asked in a guarded tone that caught her attention. She noticed him staring at the garbage. “What the hell is parenteral nutrition?”  

“It’s a form of intravenous nutritional supplement,” explained Ani.  

“If it’s just a supplement ...why the hell have you had so much of it?” He tipped the can so Shouto could see the dozens of empty bags mixed in with her trash. Both men turned to her expectantly.  

“That’s a lot of supplements,” noted Shouto.  

Ani shrugged. “I’ve needed the extra energy.”  

“For what,” Katsuki asked flatly.  

“Ani?” prompted Shouto.  

She hadn’t wanted to tell them this... “I’ll show you,” she sighed. “Come with me.” They followed her to the infirmary where she revealed a new addition to her office. 

“You’re such a nerd,” commented Katsuki as he wandered around the small lab with machines working away. Ani stayed by Shouto’s side in the doorway; his eyes fell to her with the sadness she expected...the sadness she wanted to keep from him.  

“If they take my quirk...” Ani whispered, on the verge of tears. “...I won’t leave you defenseless.” 

Pain streaked across Shouto’s chest as Aino’s words from nearly six months ago echoed in his mind. 

 

 

“Shouto, I don’t know if Ani has ever told you, and don’t take this the wrong way, but for a long time Deku was her favorite hero. She looked up to him...  

But then...she met you...and she started to change....  

Being with you. Working with you...she started to enjoy life and that happiness spilled over into every part of her life. Before meeting you, she never wanted anything more than to work in the ER and save people. After saving your life, and then Bakugo’s , she started to see things differently a. ..She wasn’t sure if she really wanted the world to know what she could do but she knew she could do more. More to help others in need, like innocent people caught in the cross-fire of a villain’s attack.  

Like your sidekicks.  

You.  

She always believed those people would come back for her until they succeeded and she didn’t want to leave you behind without any protection.”  

 

"Please understand, I don’t want them to take my quirk. And I hope we will never need these...” Ani’s words mirrored her brother’s without realizing it.  

 

 

 

“She never considered you weak. It was her obstinate nature to make sure you had a reserve like this hoping, of course, you would never really need it. But now...  

“...I know things are going to escalate."

 

 

 

“But hope isn’t enough to heal you...or save your life.” She took his hand and looked between him and Katsuki. “This is just a contingency plan, okay?"  

“Whatever,” huffed Katsuki with a roll of his eyes. Ani couldn’t tell if he was offended she wanted them to have a safety net or if he was just covering up his fear for her safety. “You really need all this stuff to handle your blood?”  

Ani seized the change of topic and explained how she and Aino recreated the way to make the tiny indestructible vials. Hatsume created the lab, improved the process so Ani could make them here on her own. She showed them the new reserve she already made in addition to what she was able to donate to the hospital. And the new field equipment Hatsume helped her design. Katsuki followed her around with his usual scowl but he at least reacted to what she was saying. Shouto withdrew.  

They walked back to her apartment in an awkward silence.  

Ani wracked her brain, trying to figure out how he could be so upset. Once they were back she said “I know it’s not a pleasant thing to think about but it’s just like self-defense. I don’t want to ever have to use it...but I don’t want to be in a situation where it's needed and we don’t have it.”  

“Tch. Even I can tell it’s not a bad idea.”  

Ani stepped in front of Shouto trying to get him out of his own mind. “Sho...will you please tell me what’s wrong?”  

His eyes remained lost in thought for a long, tense moment. A vein twitched in Katsuki’s head at Ani being ignored; he was about to lash out at the red-white head when Shouto’s attention finally returned.  

“Ani...you said you’ve been donating your blood to the hospital?”  

She frowned, confused at the importance of this detail. “Yes. Why?”  

“How long?” The look in his eyes intensified. “How long have you been giving them your blood?” 

“I-I don’t know,” stuttered Ani. “For a while.”  

“Please, try to remember,” he said, placing his hands on her shoulders. “When did you start?”  

She wracked her brain. “A few weeks in, I think.” She grimaced. “I don’t know...it was right around the time of that tsunami.”  

“Before. Or after?”  

She rubbed her forehead and closed her eyes thinking back...so many months ago...the new faculty...registering as a pro hero...the tsunami...the infirmary vandalization. “I think I brought in a few for the first time around when Mitayo vandalized my office? But it wasn’t many. Only a couple that first week...why?” 

“What about the weeks after that?”  

“Well...” Ani thought. “I guess I started bringing more in each week? I brought in whatever I could spare.”            

Shouto cupped his chin, eyes unfocusing again as his mind raced.  

“Shouto...what’s going on?” Ani asked.  

Behind her she heard Katsuki’s deep growl. “My god...you’re thinking...”  

Shouto looked at his fellow pro. “It lines up too perfectly...doesn’t it?”  

“UGH!” Ani half-shouted. “Stop acting as if I’m not here and tell me what’s going on?!”  

“The training exercise, for Togota’s class...” Shouto said quietly.  

Ani’s face scrunched. “You mean the one where the training ground malfunctioned and thought you were villains?"  

“It didn’t malfunction,” said Katsuki.  

Ani looked between the two of them. “So what, then? It was...”  

“Yes. It was a villain,” admitted Shouto.  

“On campus?” Ani whispered incredulously.  

Shouto shook his head no. “Somewhere with a line of sight.”  

“They’re the real reason the building collapsed,” Katsuki bitterly explained. “Nezu told us the campus alarms had been triggered but we didn’t know until later what the villains were actually able to do.”  

Ani wished she could laugh, remembering the day they brought the tv as Katsuki’s lost bet.  

“So what does that have to do with donating my blood to the hospital?” She asked, still confused until the truth hit her like a freight train. “You...you said these people Midoriya is looking for...they’re trying to infiltrate society...” She met his heterochromatic gaze. “You think someone has been stealing my blood from the hospital?”  

“I do.”  

“And then what?” She began to pace. “I don’t understand.”  

“Ani...you remember I told you the person who inherited All-For-One, their body is unstable?” He continued when she nodded. “If they were able to get your blood, a reliable delivery of your blood none-the-less...” 

“They’d be able to start mobilizing,” snarled Katsuki. 

“So we track the blood.” Ani stopped pacing, exchanging a knowing look with Katsuki and Shouto. “We track the blood. We find them, right?”  

Chapter 133: Foresight

Chapter Text

It sickened Ani to hand over the case of her blood. The hospital administrator looked her in the eye and smiled as she took it. Ani wished she was better at reading people. Was it them? Were they the one stealing from the supply?  

Ani had been thanked by enough patients to know at least some of her blood was being used as intended but she couldn't shake the feeling like she had to look over her shoulder all day. She was anxious to hear from Shouto. His agency attached tracking devices last night and she wanted to know if her blood was already on the move. Her fingers fidgeted as she tried to stay busy. She restrained from checking her phone more than once an hour but couldn’t help tensely watching the clock. If anyone else noticed her preoccupation, they didn’t say anything.  

 

“Shocking news: we go live to Musutafu port where heroes have cornered a dangerous criminal in possession of stolen goods.”   

 

Ani paused between rounds at the end of the day as the television in the waiting room caught her attention. She held her breath. The view from a helicopter showed Katsuki and other heroes fighting outside of a large, run-down section of the port. From the large ice structures Ani could tell Shouto was there, too.  

Was this the person? Had they found the holder of All-For-One?  

By the green lighting streaking around and Katsuki’s irritation Ani guessed Midoriya was there and the tension in her heart pounded. If Deku was there it must have been. Ani watched for a stressful few minutes, others gathering around her, until the heroes finally subdued a deranged looking man. Police rushed in and the birds-eye-view cut back to a reporter summarizing everything that just happened.  

Murmurs surrounded Ani about their hard-working heroes, wondering what the crazy man had done. A few people even thanked Ani since they knew she was involved with the number one and number three. She awkwardly accepted. She was grateful when the day had ended. She was even more anxious to hear from Shouto and Katsuki about the capture, if it was the same person, what happened with her blood—she had too many questions. When she came out of the staff locker room she ran into a plain woman who apologized profusely for the accident.  

“It’s alright!” Ani assured her until she stopped furiously bowing. She tried to step around her but the woman blocked her path.  

“Ah—Miss Shida, I was actually looking for you.” She straightened her glasses. “Mrs. Azamuku would like to see you before you go.”  

Ani was anxious to hear from Shouto and Katsuki but she couldn’t blow off the hospital director. Stifling her sigh she said “alright.”  

The director’s secretary led her upstairs and motioned for Ani to go into the office. Ani quietly leaned in. From her desk the director looked up and gave Ani a warm smile and welcomed her with a wave.  

“Miss Shida! Thank you for taking time to see me again today.” She stood from her chair, almost a head taller than Ani with much softer features and professional clothing. Sitting across from her made Ani feel grungy after a long day of working.  

“It’s no problem,” replied Ani respectfully taking a seat. “What can I help you with today?”  

Mrs. Azamuku smoothed the front of her blouse and folded her hands on the desk. “Well, Miss Shida, I know if you haven’t heard the news already you will very soon.” She looked uncomfortable and cleared her throat. “This is quite embarrassing for us...but it appears that some of the blood you donated to us for our patients was stolen.”  

Ani swallowed thickly. She did already know this but she didn’t want the director to find out what she had done with them. “Oh?”  

The director shifted, eyes on her desk in shame. “Though we don’t know exactly who is at fault, we’ll be launching a full investigation with the police to figure out who is responsible for this. And I can assure you—it won’t happen again.”  

“I see,” Ani said quietly.  

“I do hope we can continue to rely on your support,” Mrs. Azamuku said, with a hint of pleading. “You’ve done so much good for our patients.”  

Ani nodded. “Of course.”  

The director sighed, shoulders sagging in relief. “Wonderful. Thank you, Miss Shida. We’re so grateful for all you do for us.”  

“My pleasure,” Ani said with a small bow of her head. She started to feel antsy, anxious to leave. 

“Well, I’m sure you’re anxious to get home to your heroes,” the director said—was that a note of jealousy Ani heard? “Thank you again for stopping by. And make sure you’re logging all of your extra work for us! We don’t want you to short-change yourself when you check in with your probation officer.” 

Ani dipped her head. “Of course, thank you.” Feeling awkward she showed herself out and said good-bye to the receptionist who was still working diligently at her desk. Ani rushed back to campus.  

She threw her things down and called Shouto, hoping it was late enough he could answer.  

Ani ,” he answered, relieved. “ Are you home?”   

I am and I saw the news—was it him?”  

He’s being transported to Tartarus now; they will be able to confirm he’s the holder of All-For-One.”   

Ani knew it wasn’t over yet but it was a comfort to know he was at least in custody. “Good. Where are you?”  

Shouto hesitated. “ I’m at the Musutafu police department.”   

“Still?” Ani frowned. “I thought the paperwork would have been done by now.”  

“I can’t say much right now.”   

“If I call Dojire, will he be able to tell me what’s going on?”  

“Yes, that’s a good idea.”   

“Thanks. I’ll be waiting at home for you—if there’s anything I can help with please don’t hesitate to call, okay?”  

Of course. I love you, Ani.”   

“I love you, too, Sho.” She smiled. Hearing his voice was always a comfort and she looked forward to having him back. She hadn’t expected the tracking devices to pay off so quickly and seeing Shouto and Katsuki fighting made her more anxious than she admitted. Before she called Dojire she called Katsuki but he didn’t answer.  

When she talked to Dojire he explained the police had some problems with how the heroes handled the situation today. Someone complained that the heroes hadn’t taken the appropriate steps before apprehending the criminal...there were even some questioning if the man had even done anything wrong.  

There wasn’t much Ani could do beside wait. She showered. Graded papers. At 11:30 Katsuki returned her call.  

“’Suki!” Ani cupped her forehead. “I’ve been so worried! Are you alright?”  

Yeah,” he grumbled in exhausted frustration. “ Where are you?”   

“I’m at home. Are you done with the police? Are you coming over?”  

If he was irritated with her questions he let it slide. “ Yeah. I’ll be there soon.”   

“What about...” she gulped. “Shouto? Is he still there?”  

Yeah.” Katsuki muttered something to someone else and then, to Ani, said “I’m leaving now. I’ll be there soon.”  

“Okay. See you soon.”  

Ani slumped in her chair and stared at her phone. Was there that much of an issue with what they did?  

Were they getting in trouble because they tracked her blood?  

She cleaned up her work and tidied the apartment by the time Katsuki walked in.  

“Hey,” she said and her heart sank when his red irises met hers. “What’s wrong?”  

He crossed the room and took her in his arms. Her hands hovered, stunned for a moment, before she held him back and got the feeling like he was hiding his expression from her.  

“’Suki…” she spoke softly, feeling the stressed tension in his muscles. “What’s going on?”  

Voice muffled in her hair his only answer was “I don’t want to talk about it.”  

“Okay,” she whispered and held him. There was nothing more she could do.  

 

 

Ani couldn’t sleep. Well, admittedly she didn’t want to. She went to bed with Katsuki and held him while he fell asleep—scowl still in place as he snored—and was determined to wait up for Shouto. 1:00am. Her door quietly opened and heard his soft footfalls cross the apartment.  

“Ani?” he called softly from the doorway when he saw she was still awake.  

She smiled, finally able to relax because he was home. “Hey…you’re back.”  

“You didn’t have to stay up.” He sat on the edge of the bed and cupped her cheek. His eyes glowed in the night.  

“I know. I was worried about you.” She searched his eyes. “What happened?”  

His features fell. His jaw clenched. “There’s been an injunction filed against the heroes and agencies involved.”  

“What does that mean?” Ani asked guardedly.  

“It means they’re questioning the legitimacy of our arrest.” He gripped the side of the bed and the truth hit Ani.  

“Did…did they let him go?!” Horror struck her.  

Shouto shook his head, meeting her eye reassuringly. “No. He’s still being detained. There are activist groups trying to secure his release, claiming he was arrested unfairly.” He took her hand. “No matter what you’re going to be safe, Ani.”  

“Not gonna get hands on you…” Katsuki growled, still mostly asleep.  

Ani froze guiltily and whispered “sorry, did we wake you?”  

“Of course you did,” Katsuki said with an angry yawn and rolled over. Ani ran her fingers through his hair and turned back to Shouto.  

“Right now I’m more worried about the two of you…” she leaned toward him and their foreheads rested together. “I don’t like how much trouble people are giving you.”  

Shouto’s eyes fell closed. “It’s to be expected.”  

Ani’s heart sank with understanding. They knew the roots of their enemies were snaking up into society…the effect was already taking shape.  

“Come to bed,” she encouraged him. “Get some rest.”  

“I’ll come soon.” He pecked her lips and went back out to the living room. Ani could hear him making quiet calls and couldn’t stay awake any longer. It was enough that he was home.  

 

 

 

 

When Shouto finally finished it was 2:30am. He sat at Ani’s kitchen table and rested his head in his hands. Worries nagged at the fringe of his mind. 

“Hey…”  

Almost four years and her voice, even sleepy and soft, still made his heart jump. He looked up and met her eyes as she crossed the room bleary-eyed and messy-haired. “Hey, what are you still doing up?”  

“Mnnn…” Ani groaned sleepily. “I woke up and you weren’t in bed yet.” She shuffled to his side half-falling onto his lap. He welcomed it. For the first time all day, with her wrapped in his arms, he began to calm down. Slurring with sleep she said “better take…good care of y’rslf…”  

A smiled pulled at his lips. “I will,” he whispered, savoring the trusting sag of her weight as she fell asleep in his arms.  

Chapter 134: Insight

Notes:

Thanks for waiting; I'm much happier with this. If you happened to read the previous chapter, the earthquake and Ani/Todoroki's conversation were taken out. Story picks up after that late night of Katsuki and Shouto dealing with the fallout of their capture

Chapter Text

When Ani woke up she was still in Shouto’s arms though he had moved to the couch. Katsuki was snoring from the bedroom. Guilt prickled at her gut; there was no way Shouto slept well like that. Why didn’t he at least lay down?! 

And yet…there was something peaceful to his expression.  

In the early morning sun his features were relaxed, clear of stress lines and worry. She tenderly brushed his hair back and he shifted. Her fingers curled back, hesitating, but he didn’t wake up.  

Deep feelings began to rise...feelings of which she couldn’t quite make sense yet.  

 

 

 

 

 

Ani checked her voicemail after class to see who had called her and her heart pounded. It was Eri. Reading the transcription Ani found out that no matter what Eri had tried she hadn’t been able to rewind someone’s mind; she apologized but she wouldn’t be able to help Ani.  

It was a crushing blow.  

 

 

 

 

“You’re fucking kidding me.” Bakugo glared at the Dagoben Police Superintendent who shook his head.  

“After a thorough investigation the committee could find no other transgression than possession of stolen goods which hardly warrants him to be held in Tartarus.”  

“Yeah. Must have been a really extensive investigation. Has it even been twenty-four hours since he was taken in?!” Bakugo glowered across the desk. “Did they even test his quirk there?!”  

The superintendent looked tiredly at Bakugo not bothering to hide his blatant displeasure at talking with the number three. “That’s irrelevant. We can’t imprison someone because of their quirk.” He sighed. “I wanted to give you the courtesy of telling you this in private, rather than finding out from the press conference tomorrow.”  

“Tch.” Bakugo angrily leaned back in the chair. “Why bother.”  

“Because…” the superintendent cleared his throat. “The man intends on suing the top three pros for excessive use of force and traumatic experience.”  

“WHAT?!”  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Shouto left the precinct in a fuming silence. He didn’t care that he was being sued, it happened often enough. He was more concerned about what this meant for Ani…for her safety. When his phone rang he knew who it was going to be without looking.  

Oi, you half-and-half bastard. What are we going to do about this?”   

“Leave him alone.” Shouto broke into a jog, anxious to get back to the agency. “If we go after him again it’s only going to make things look bad for us and the other heroes.” 

So, what then? We just sit back and do nothing?!”   

“Obviously not!” snapped Shouto, surprising himself. The ash-blonde was rubbing off on him. “We’re going to make sure Ani’s safe.”  

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stray drops of water fell from Ani’s hair onto the bed where she sat freshly showered at the end of her day. Shouto had just called to tell her and now Katsuki was calling to tell her the same thing, she was sure. She couldn’t find the energy to pick up the phone. What once had seemed like such a hopeful time…the chance of getting her memory back, Shouto and Katsuki getting along, being able to focus on teaching and volunteering…had turned into another grim landscape where threats lurked in every shadow. 

She had no idea how the heroes kept doing this…over and over again.  

On the last ring she answered.  

Oi. Goldilocks. You there?”   

“Yeah,” she answered.   

You already know, don’t you?”   

Yeah.”  

“You know we’re going to keep you safe, right?”   

Ani felt so tired.  

Oi! Why aren’t you saying anything?!”   

“I’m just tired.” Ani did her best to make sure her voice was clear but he heard it anyway.  

Bullshit. I’m coming over.”   

“What? Wait, why?!” Ani’s mind refocused. “It’s so late Katsuki, you can’t come from Dagoben right now!”  

Tch. You can’t tell me what to do!”   

He hung up before Ani could protest and she knew it wouldn’t do any good to call him back so she just let it be and fell back to her bed.  

What the hell happened to her?  

Not so long ago she was living a quiet, rewarding life helping people in the hospital. No one knew who she was and she liked it that way. Now people were routinely after her, a lot more people knew her, and she even had a hero name. 

A hero name!  

 

 

Okay…Your grades are excellent. You have tremendous positive feedback from your teachers and your behavior record is clean. Your physical performance wasn’t anything remarkable but with the rest of your personal profile you have a good shot at getting in pretty much anywhere you’d like to go.” The teacher looked up and turned. “ So the only question left is: where do you want to go?”   

Ani blinked pointedly. “Um…”   

“It’s okay to be unsure,” her teacher offered after a moment and pulled out a stack of papers. “We can start with the basics. Do you want to go somewhere close or far away? Abroad even?”   

Ani shook her head furiously. “No, I don’t want to go abroad. I want to be close to home, my family.”   

They set aside a part of the pile. “Okay. Next question…Do you want a general education high school or a focused program?”   

“What are the options?” Ani asked.   

“Well, there are schools aimed at specific industries like technology or even specific vocations. Of course, there are the ever-popular hero schools.” They gave Ani an encouraging look. “With your grades and recommendations, and maybe some physical preparation, I’d say it’s not a stretch to consider U . A.”   

Ani’s eyes bulged. “ U . A . , ” she said flatly.   

“I know, I know,” her teacher held up her hands. “You want to be close to family and U . A . is in a different city but I see so much potential here. Not just to give yourself a bright future but to help so many people in need.”   

“But U.A. is a hero school.”   

“And I think you would make a great hero.” They beamed.   

Ani wasn’t sure she agreed. “I don’t want to be a hero.”   

“You don’t?” The teacher was legitimately shocked. “I thought you would have aspired to that based on feedback from your teachers and, quite frankly, your peers.”   

Ani shook her head. “I don’t like fighting. So I don’t think I could be a hero.”   

“Well…okay,” the teacher said disapprovingly. “What do you want to do then?”   

“I…I don’t know.”   

The teacher handed her the pile of papers and pamphlets. “Then don’t rule it out completely. U.A., I mean. They have a lot of strong programs beside their hero one and you would secure a bright future for yourself with a diploma from there.”   

Ani accepted the stack and thanked her teacher with a bow of her head. She walked home slowly, flipping through the papers until a cheery bell chimed behind her.   

“Hey Shida-chan!”   

“Hi I tori,” she greeted her lab partner. He was riding his bike but dismounted to walk with her.   

“Picking out a high school?” He asked with a gesture at her handful.   

She sighed. “Yeah. Trying to, at least.”   

“It’s a big decision,” he empathized and Ani ‘mm’ed in response. One of them caught his eye. “Whoa: U.A.?! I’m applying there, too! I probably don’t have a shot at the hero program but if I don’t try I’ll never know, right?”   

Ani happily listened as he talked excitedly about all the good things U.A. had to offer until they were outside her gate. He blushed awkwardly and Ani had the feeling he wanted to say something else.   

“You know…Shida…it would be really awesome to go to high school with you.” A shy smile. “I don’t know what I’d do without you, especially in science,” he huffed then fiddled with the handles on his bike. “It’s been nice being your lab partner…And it…it makes me sad to think I won’t get to see you everyday.”   

Ani’s heart began to pound.   

“What I’m trying to say, Shida-chan, is…I like you.”   

Ani flushed—she’d never been confessed to before and didn’t know what to say!   

“I-It’s okay if you don’t like me back, I just…” he laughed at himself and rubbed the back of his neck. “I wanted to tell you in case we go to different schools next year.”   

Ani was still speechless as he hopped on his bike and gave her a blushing smile. “Bye Shida-chan!”  

She stood there for a long moment until he was out of sight and drifted in her house. The warm smells of her father’s cooking brought her out of her daze and she was smiling by the time she walked into the kitchen.   

“Hi jellyfish.” Her dad gave her a huge smile and she rolled her eyes, still smiling.  

“Hi D ad.” She sat at the kitchen table with her stack of papers.   

Over his shoulder he glanced at it. “What are those?”   

“High school leaflets,” groaned Ani . She slumped onto the table, dramatically splaying the pile.   

Her father came over and glanced across what he could see. “Time to apply already,” he sighed. “Has anything caught your eye?”   

“No…” Ani pushed herself up, shoulders hanging low. “I don’t even know what I want to do so how could I know where I want to go?!”   

Her father’s brow dipped as he saw one option he hadn’t expected. “…U.A.?” He pulled it out from the pile. “The hero program ?”   

“It was Sensei’s idea,” admitted Ani as she started pulling out her homework. “I’m not interested in becoming a hero .”   

“Really?” Her dad sounded surprised. “You don’t want to help people?... That doesn’t sound like you.”   

That gave Ani pause. “Well…I just…” she huffed. “I don’t like confrontation, Dad. You know that!”   

He sat down across from her with a light laugh. “I do know that.” He waited for her to continue.   

She rolled a pen back-and-forth between her fingers. “I want to help people. I just don’t know how.”   

“Then choose a general ed school,” offered her dad. “There are some incredible schools out there…and it will give you more time to figure out what you want to do. Like I always say: ”   

“It doesn’t matter the job, what matters is how you do it,” Ani replied with a sing-song tone of hearing the same phrase all her life.  

Her dad smirked and then fell quiet. Ani waited, feeling there was something he wanted to say. Do you ever consider how narrow the definition for hero is in our world?”   

Ani’s brow dipped. “What do you mean?”   

“Well…” He sat back and weighed his words. “Hero can mean a lot of things…It can mean being selfless…Using our strengths for the greater good. Answering a call to help. We forget about the other kinds of heroes all around us. Too often we think of a hero as someone in a costume, often with a rank of how ‘good’ they are.  

“But hero names…costumes? None of that is important. What makes someone a hero is helping the person in front of you, however you can.” He looked at Ani. “I want you to remember: it doesn’t matter the job…what matters is how you do it. Use your strengths, your quirk, to the best of it’s limits to help people…and you’ll be a hero.”   

Ani smiled timidly. “Yeah.”   

He took her hand and encouraged her eyes up to his. “Just know that whatever you decide to do, I’m so proud of you.”   

“Thanks, Dad.”   

 

 

 

Ani stared up at the ceiling feeling the tears slide sideways down her cheeks. It was still hard to think of her parents. Sniffling she scrolled through her phone and found the number she wanted.  

Hey sis!”   

“Hi Aino,” she said, trying to hide the sound of her sadness.  

He hesitated. “Everything okay?”   

“Yeah. I was thinking about Dad.” She inhaled slowly to stifle the sob.  

Oh Ani…” He sighed. 

She wiped her tears away. “Do you remember when I was trying to pick a high school?”  

Kind of. You were really stressed about that, weren’t you?”   

“Yeah. I had no idea what I was going to do.”  

I remember coming home from school and finding you at the table with all those papers.”   

“Uggg, so many papers.” Ani smirked. “You started turning them into paper airplanes.”  

Hey! Only the ones for hero schools!” He chuckled.  

Ani started laughing. “And you were throwing them around the kitchen…” Aino started laughing, too, knowing where the memory was going. “And one of them—” Ani was laughing so hard it was getting hard to talk “—one of them landed—right—right in the tofu!”  

Aino howled with laughter. “ You’re right! Dad was so pissed!”   

“And Mom—she—she came home to find Dad chasing you around the house with a wooden spoon.” Ani wiped away tears of happiness.  

Aino sighed happily. “ Mom and Dad were a lot of fun.”   

“They really were.” A nostalgic silence fell between them. “Do you think they’d be proud of us?”  

Absolutely,” answered Aino without a doubt. 

“Yeah.” Ani smiled. “Me, too.”  

Ani…what’s going on?”   

“What do you mean?”  

“There’s usually something up when you start thinking about Mom and Dad.” He waited.  

Ani sat up and swallowed the lump in her throat. “There’s a rumor that someone’s been looking for me…to take my quirk.”  

Wow… ” Aino fell silent.  

“Shouto and Katsuki are constantly reassuring me that nothing’s going to happen…but so much has already happened. It’s not that I don’t believe them…”  

It’s that it’s not something they can guarantee.”   

“Yeah.” Ani stared at the floor. “I don’t know what I would do without my quirk, Aino. It’s everything…”  

It’s not everything, Ani,” he noted. “It’s not who you are as a person. You’re the one who’s decided how to use it all these years…and you’re the one who’s worked so hard to help so many people. Your quirk is only a tool.”   

“Thanks, Aino.”  

“Anytime, sis.” H e added “ hey, Ani?”   

“Yeah?”  

…I know it’s not the same…but I’m proud of you.  

Ani smiled, another wave of tears fell. “Thanks Aino. That means the world to me.”  

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Oi! Where are you goldilocks?!”  

Ani rushed out of her bedroom. “Be quiet, ‘Suki!”  

He stomped over to her with a scowl on his face. “I don’t care how late it is, Ani. I’ll wake up the whole damn campus if I need, to make sure you’re okay!”  

“I’m fine!” She hushed him again as he angrily searched her expression. “Really.”  

He pouted. “Fine. Then I guess I’ll just go home.” He spun around and Ani was tempted to call his bluff but she didn’t have the energy tonight.  

“Stop being a butt,” she said and pulled on his arm until he turned and she wrapped her arms around his waist. He hugged her back with the sour pout of a toddler and mumbled something. She ignored it. “Thank you for coming.”  

“Better buy me a damn good breakfast,” he muttered.  

Ani looked up at him and smirked. “Okay.”  

He rummaged through her fridge for leftovers and she sat with him, playfully bantering, as he ate until Shouto called to say he was on his way back, too.  

“You might want to get something to eat on your way back…” Ani said with an audible grimace.  

Shouto grumbled “let me guess…Katsuki.”   

“Yepp,” laughed Ani.  

I didn’t think he was going to be in Musutafu tonight.”   

Ani hesitated. She knew Shouto was going to feel guilty if she told him why Katsuki was there. “Yeah…he…he decided last minute.”  

Oh? Is everything okay?”   

Katsuki snorted, hearing everything. Through a full mouth he shouted “goldilocks was all mopey here!”  

Ani stuck her tongue out at him as Shouto asked “ Ani…is that true?”   

“Yes,” she admitted. “I wasn’t going to bother either of you…I’ve just been in a weird mood.”  

Well…I’m glad Katsuki was able to come, then.”   

She breathed a sigh of relief; he didn’t sound guilty or hurt. “Yeah. Me too. We’ll see you soon?”  

“I’ll be there as soon as I can. I love you, Ani.”   

“I love you, too, Sho.”  

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ani woke up a few minutes before her alarm as if her subconscious wanted the few minutes of peace between her boyfriend and her best friend.  

Her heart stuttered.  

When had Katsuki fallen into that role?! She sighed, feeling the complicated feelings rise again and let them wash away to the sound of Shouto and Katsuki’s breathing. Last night, after hearing about the prisoner being released and thinking about her father, she had decided worrying about her quirk wasn’t worth the stress and anxiety. She would remain alert. Aware of her surroundings. But she wasn’t going to stay frozen waiting in fear and would continue to do everything she could to help as many as she could. And if the time ever came for her to face the holder of All-For-One?  

She wouldn’t go down without a fight.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

“This is his picture,” Shouto said as he laid out the man’s mugshot. “If you see him, anytime anywhere, call me—”  

“Us.”  

“— Us right away. Okay?”  

Ani nodded, memorizing the person’s face. “I will. I promise.”  

“Good.” Shouto reflexively looked at her wrist to make sure the black band was still in place. It was. He pulled her in for a hug. “And it doesn’t have to be an emergency to call, either. Okay?”  

She nodded, burying her face into his chest. “I know.”  

“Good,” he said again with a small, grateful smile. He whispered “I love you, Ani.”  

“I love you, too, Sho.”  

Waiting for his own good-bye Katsuki added with a grunt “and stay on campus. Got that?”  

She turned just enough to playfully narrow her eyes at him. “Yeah yeah.”  

 

 

 

       

 

“Shida-san,” a familiar voice called as the hallways crowded between classes. She looked up to see Iida rolling down with a smile. “Are you still going to join us for lunch today?”  

“Oh, yes.” Ani nodded. “I just need to get my food from my office.” Tapping the papers in her hands she thought for a moment; she could see he already had his lunch and wouldn’t need to stop at the cafeteria. “Iida-san. Would you come with me, if you have a moment?”  

“Of course.” He went with her to the infirmary and followed her in. 

She surprised him by sitting down at her desk and waving him over as she pulled out a file. “If you don’t want to talk about it, I will understand…but…how did you become paralyzed?”  

His brow lifted in surprise; he clearly hadn’t expected this. He told her the story of his encounter with Stain and permanent injury.  

“This is all very hypothetical of course, since it’s never been tested, but I’ve talked with my brother who’s a surgeon at Dagoben General.” Ani opened the folder, handed it to him. His eyes widened, a dozen emotions flashing through his eyes. “There’s a chance that we could fix your paralysis.”  

Iida’s mouth slowly fell speechlessly open.  

“We would have to meet with my brother who’s willing to perform the surgery and figure out what exactly you would need for a transplant, before we can confirm it’s possible.” Ani swallowed thickly. “I know it’s presumptuous of me to offer this and I intend no insult because you have, afterall, accomplished so much—”  

“I’ll do it.” He met her eyes with a striking seriousness. “I want to see if it’s possible.”  

Ani exhaled with relief. “Okay.” She smiled, glad he wasn’t offended. “My brother’s schedule is pretty busy this week but he’s free on Saturday, if we can meet him at the hospital.”  

“Absolutely.” Iida closed the folder. “Shida-san. I don’t know what to say.”  

“Well, don’t say anything yet. We have to make sure it’s possible.”  

“I understand.” He beamed. “I’m grateful you would even think to offer this.”  

“It’s my honor,” replied Ani. And it was. She wanted to help people in anyway she could and had lost focus of that. No matter what was to come she would help those in front of her. 

Chapter 135: Parasite

Chapter Text

Katsuki grumbled in irritation as he ignored the other people on the street. “Can’t believe we have to spend my only night in Musutafu this week going to the damn hospital.”

“I’m sorry,” Ani said again, not bothering to remind him that he stayed over the night before. “If they had any of my blood left, I would wait until Sunday but they had a couple of bad car accidents.”

“Tch. Probably sold it all on the black market.” He scowled.

“Come on, sourpuss.” She took his arm. “The sooner we drop it off, the sooner we can go have dinner, okay?”

“Fine,” relented the pro with a light blush across his cheeks. Ani usually wasn’t physical with him out in public. They usually weren’t out in public together at all. And Ani had insisted she would be fine to and from the hospital but like hell he was going to let her wander alone throughout the city.

They ignored the whispers and scandalous looks people gave them on the street and inside the hospital. A few of the nurses and doctors Ani had gotten to know were surprised to see her there and excited when they caught sight of the pro. Katsuki, aware of Ani’s kind reputation, did his best to be indifferent, if not polite. He didn’t want to offend anyone and cause problems for her.

“Miss Shida-san!” A familiar voice called and Ani saw the director coming down the hallway. “Thank you so much for coming outside of your normal hours—and on a school night no less!”

Bags hung under the woman’s usually tidy features and Ani bowed her head.

“It’s no problem.” She offered the case of vials to the hospital administrator and few doctors who were lingering anxiously. Katsuki surveyed the whole group with distrust but at least stayed quiet.

“We are truly indebted to you Miss Shida.” The director smiled tiredly. “You’re our hero.”

Ani started to feel awkward under the praise and thankfully the director noticed who was with her. “Mrs. Azamuku, this is Bakugo Katsuki the pro hero—”

“Ground Zero,” she said reverently and dipped her head. “I still can’t thank you enough.”

“Huh?” He asked with almost irritated confusion.

The woman looked up quizzically. “Do you...not remember me...?” When Katsuki didn’t react, she tucked a lose strand of hair behind her ear and her eyes fell to the floor. “I suppose you’ve saved so many people you wouldn’t remember...and it was so long ago.”

“Did...Katsuki save your life?” Ani asked glancing between the two of them.

The director smiled gratefully. “Not my life. My son’s life.”

Behind his mask of moodiness, Katsuki unwillingly remembered. “Yeah. Your son was the little twerp who almost got me killed.”

“Yes, well...” Mrs. Azamuku cringed apologetically. “Thank goodness we had Miss Shida to save you.”

Katsuki grunted and took Ani’s hand. “Yeah. Good thing.” He didn’t wait for her to say anything else before he started towing Ani away, anxious to get away from all these gnats.

“G-Good-bye Mrs. Azamuku!” called Ani as she was dragged along. “I’ll see you Sunday!” To the explosive ash-blonde she chided in a whisper “’Suki. That was rude! She was just trying to thank you!”

“Tch. It happened years ago. What do I care now?” He didn’t let go of her hand and when they were in the elevator, he pulled her against himself. “I only remember because that accident led me to you."

Ani blushed and pursed her lips at him. “I don’t know...she was pretty happy to see you. Maybe she’s got a crush on you, ‘Suki.”

He scoffed again and stole a kiss before the doors opened. “Come on, goldilocks. Enough with the teen drama. I’m hungry.”

 

 

 

 

 

Shouto volunteered to drive Ani and Iida to Dagoben on Saturday which conveniently justified his presence there Friday night. Aside from Katsuki’s night in when Shouto had been out late on patrols, he had been with Ani as much as he could and worried he was starting to get on her nerves.

“I promise, okay?” Ani said with a wide smile and imploring eyes. “I like having you around and the only thing I feel about it is guilty that you’re not out helping others.”

She wrapped her arms around his waist and he held her back.

The prisoner had already been released from Tartarus, announced his lawsuit against the pro-heroes involved in his arrest, and been featured on multiple interviews on tv and in print. He somehow had several hundred thousand followers on social media.

The public was sympathetic to his case.

Though Ani showed no signs of concern about any of it, Shouto’s fears lingered and only intensified as the week passed.

Katsuki’s week was stressful, too.  His lawyer was already deep into the pending lawsuit and stressed the need for Katsuki to remain calm and collected at all times. It wasn’t easy. He was on edge being so far from Ani when the bozo all over the news was gaining support. Ani was patient with him, fielding his calls and texts any time she wasn’t at work.

Yes I’m fine.

Yes, Shouto is staying here tonight. He’s not going out on rounds.

No, I’m not leaving campus.

If she was annoyed by his constant check-ins, she didn’t show it. He was grateful.

Yes, Shouto’s going to drive us there tomorrow.”

“What time are you going to be done?” His mother had been bugging him to bring her around again.

I’m not sure...it could be as early as lunch-time unless Aino can perform the transplant while we’re there. It’ll take a while longer, then.”

Katsuki grunted in response trying to find the words to ask her and someone bumped into him. “Oi! Watch it!”

“S-Sorry,” a plain looking extra stuttered before walking on.

'Suki? Everything okay?” Ani asked, hearing his angry tone.

“Yeah. Everything’s fine...” He watched the jittery figure stalk away down the street, his pro-senses knowing something was off. “Just let me know when you’re done tomorrow and we can hangout.”

Okay, great—”

“’K. Bye.” He hung up abruptly, still focused on the civilian doing their best to be invisible to everyone else on the street. Katsuki followed watching their shady behavior closely. As he expected, they dipped into an alleyway. What he did not expect was the person to be waiting for him. Not to attack, but to cling to him in a panicky, needy way. Katsuki wasn’t a hero people turned to for comfort so he knew something was really fucked up. The person kept mumbling about being forced to do something, not wanting to do it, it hurts it hurts it hurts, and Katsuki brought them to one of the few people he trusted.

 

 

 

 

He waited in the hallway, ignoring the police officers who needed to collect the patient’s post-op statement; they had already listened to the seemingly incoherent ramblings before they went into surgery. Was there really a ‘bug’ controlling them like they said?

The whole concept freaked Katsuki out.

Aino, flanked by two other doctors came out to talk with the police and the pro.

“Well?” Katsuki asked impatiently.

Aino, already used to the ash-blonde, ignored the tone. “It’s true. We found a large parasite in the person’s spinal cord.”

“What kind is it? Can it really control a person?” one of the officers asked.

Tiredly Aino shook his head. “I don’t know. We’ve sent it up to the lab for testing to figure out what kind of parasite it is and where it came from. We’ll know more after that.”

“Is it still alive?” Katsuki asked, drawing the attention of the group.

Aino’s brow furrowed. “For now, yes. But I imagine the lab's going to thoroughly dissect it to find out what it is.”

“Tell them not to kill it,” ordered Katsuki as he pulled out his phone.

“What? Why—” Aino started to ask.

Katsuki was already calling but gave the surgeon a direct answer “we have someone who can talk to it.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Did he say why?” Ani asked.

Shouto shook his head. “No. He said he needed Koda’s help and it was urgent.”

“Wow.” Ani wondered what could be so bad that Katsuki would ask someone for help. “I hope everything’s alright.”

 

 

Koda was there within a few hours and the lab—thankfully—had kept the specimen alive until then. With only a lab technician Koda went inside for a long time and ‘talked’ with the wriggling organism. Katsuki waited in the hall with the surgeon and detectives; he wasn’t going to call Ani or Shouto back until he had something to tell them.

Koda came out as shy as ever. “The poor little guy’s worn out but he did his best to tell me what he could."

“And?” snapped Katsuki “What did it say?”

He is a parasitoid wasp larvae,” corrected Koda. “And when he was laid in his new host he was given instructions to open the city’s security system.”

“Why?” asked one of the detectives.

“The little guy didn’t know. He was just told to do it and wanted to make his mother happy.”

“His mother?” scoffed Katsuki, disgusted.

Koda nodded. “The person with a parasitoid wasp quirk.”

“So,” Aino pinched the bridge of his nose as he thought out loud. “You’re saying someone has a quirk that allows them to lay a parasitic larvae that controls their host?”

“Yes,” confirmed Koda.

A detective whistled. “Well, this is complicated.”

“No shit,” muttered Katsuki. To Koda he asked “what else did it say? Did it tell you who laid it? Or why they picked that victim?”

“He couldn’t tell me anything about his mother. And, from what I can understand, he was laid in that host because their quirk is related to technology, though the little guy had a hard time." Koda sighed. "It seems like he wasn’t given specific directions enough and the host was able to struggle against it long enough until he found a hero.”

“Thank you, Anima, for your time and work here,” said one of the detectives with a bow.

Koda dipped his head, too. “Not a problem. Is there anything else I can help with?”

“We’d greatly appreciate it if you could please come back to the station with us to look through the quirk registry to see if we can find a match for someone whose quirk is capable of laying this...parasite.”

“Of course.” Before following the officers he turned to Katsuki and Aino. “Do either of you need anything else?”

“We saved the patient by removing the organism from his spinal cord,” noted Aino. “Is there any other way to eliminate them from the victim’s body?”

Koda shook his head. “He did everything he could to keep control; he’s pretty upset he failed. I don’t think anything besides physically removing it will stop them.”

“And what happens if it isn’t removed?” asked Katsuki.

Koda’s eyes fell to the floor. “The...host...will be consumed. From the inside out. And there’s a chance the larvae will grow into an adult wasp, as well, capable of continuing the insect’s lifecycle.”   

A wave of nausea hit both Aino and Katsuki.

“Gross,” snarled Katsuki.

Koda dipped his head. “Please let me know if either of you need anything else.”

“Thank you, Anima,” said Aino.

Katsuki added “yeah. Thanks.” Knowing that was the most he was going to get—and more than many of his classmates ever received—Koda smiled and accepted the sentiment.

When it was just the two of them left, Aino turned to Katsuki. “There’s something else you should know.”

“Eh?”

“The parasite wasn't just in the patient’s spinal cord. It had begun to worm it’s way into the brain, too, and it wasn’t possible to remove it without causing damage to the nervous system. The only reason they survived is because I had Ani’s blood on-hand and it enabled the body to heal before lasting damage occurred.” Aino stared at Katsuki. “Do you understand what I’m saying?”

“Yeah.” The ash-blonde clenched his jaw. “It means a lot more people are going to need Ani’s blood until we catch this delinquent.”

Chapter 136: Full Circle. Or is it cycle?

Chapter Text

The sky was bright, cheery, as Ani, Shouto, and Iida drove to Dagoben. High-spirits filled the car and even Shouto was more conversational than normal.  

“You don’t have to walk us in,” Ani assured him as they parked. “We’ll be fine .”  

“I know.” Shouto smiled. “It’s been a while since I’ve seen your brother. I’d like to say hello.”  

“I’m sure he’d like that, too.”  

There were a lot of people who wanted to greet not only the number one hero but Ani who was still well-known throughout the hospital.  

“How do you two go anywhere?” Iida asked with a laugh in the elevator.  

Ani laughed and took Shouto’s hand. “It’s a challenge.”  

“It helps that neither of us like to go out a lot,” added Shouto with a smile for Ani.  

The surgeon secretaries were happy to see them, too, and Aino mercifully rescued them from another conversation.  

Ani gave him a huge hug before introducing Iida who thanked the surgeon profusely.  

“Don’t thank me yet,” noted Aino. “Let’s see what we can do, first. I’ve already called in a few tests for us to isolate the problem and we’ll take it from there. Ani, can you take Iida down to radiology? I’ll be there soon.”  

“Sure,” Ani said with a cocked-eyebrow look between her brother and boyfriend. She gave Shouto a quick kiss good-bye and left with her colleague.  

When they were alone the pro turned to the surgeon. “What did you find out?”  

“Exactly like the victim said. Parasite tried to take control of him. We were able to remove it but not without damage to his nervous system.”  

“Did he survive?”  

Aino nodded. “Ani’s blood. We had it on hand and it was enough to help repair the damage. When the patient woke up this morning we were able to get more information, plus what our lab figured out,” Aino handed him a sheet of paper “we put together this list of what to look for in someone who might have been infected.”  

“Who else has this?”  

“The police. I sent a copy to Bakugo’s agency—yours, too though it probably didn’t make much sense.”  

“That’s alright,” assured Shouto. “I’ll go over it with them. I’m headed there now. Thank you, Aino.”  

“Anytime, Shouto.” Aino paused. “That guy...that you asked me about a while ago...he’s the one who was just released from prison. Wasn’t he?”  

Shouto nodded and left without another word.  

As Aino predicted, the warning symptoms and signs of a parasite infection were met with confusion at the agency but they were wise enough to have studied it. When Shouto arrived, the team assembled. He virtually called in the Musutafu branch, too, and explained the situation to all of them at once.  

“I want all of you to stay vigilant for any of these,” said Shouto across the two cities. “The victim brought to Dagoben General last night was being forced to commit a crime so it’s essential we handle suspected cases of infections with tact. And our information on the culprit is limited. No entries in the quirk database and the only report from the victim was for a person who looked like they were in a bad cosplay of the Yellowjacket. Questions? Comments?”  

 

 

 

 

 

“So, it’s possible,” said Aino as he, Ani, Iida and a neurosurgeon looked between the x-rays.  

The neurosurgeon highlighted a bundle of nerves in Iida’s lower spinal cord. “With a combination of nerve transplant and spinal cord fluid injection with isolated stem cells from Miss Shida’s blood, there is a very high chance that your body can regain access to the lower nervous system...and, with therapy, you could learn to walk again.”  

Iida’s eyes went wide with hope and began to water as he stared at the x-rays. “...It’s...possible...” 

“There are risks, of course,” warned Aino. “If your body rejects the nerve transplant the damage will be permanent. There won’t be a way to try anything else to heal you…though I don’t know what else might work.”  

“There’s also the risk that your body will reject Miss Shida’s spinal cord fluid but given the positive response your body had to her blood, we think the chance of that is low,” added the neurosurgeon.  

“Wow,” whispered Iida. Silence fell as he considered the situation. Quietly he asked “what...what would it mean for Shida?”  

“Well.” Aino cleared his throat. “There’s always the risk that her body won’t regenerate the removed nerves.”  

“Or spinal fluid.” The neurosurgeon looked to her. “You understand, then, that means you would be paralyzed?”  

Ani nodded. “ If I can’t regenerate from it.” Her mind offered up in memory a lengthy list of injuries she survived before. “I can do this."  

“Ani...” Aino’s voice was cautious.  

“I can’t ask you to do this.” Iida’s voice stilled the room. “I can’t ask you to risk your whole life on the chance of only bettering mine.”  

Ani calmly met his eye. “You’re not asking. I’m offering.” To her brother she said “I’m not worried.”  

The corner of his mouth pulled back in a smirk. “You rarely are.”  

 

 

 

 

 

Shouto waited anxiously in the hallway. Arms folded tightly around himself, covering his mouth. 

“Tch, I was just here,” grumbled Katsuki as he joined the red-white head. “Any news yet?”  

Shouto shook his head. “Not yet.”  

“Geez. They’ve been in there for like twelve fucking hours.”  

“Nine. But yeah. It feels like that.” Shouto took a slow, deep breath. “Did you find anything on patrols?”  

“No. You?”  

“Nothing. The police haven’t shared anything else with us either.”  

“Excuse me, Shouto? Ground Zero?”  

Both of their heads whipped up at the unfamiliar voice.  

“My name is Doto...A-Ani used to work with me in the ER.” She smiled awkwardly. “I...I heard she was in surgery and I was wondering if she was okay?”  

Shouto nodded, Katsuki having already tuned out. “She’s fine, thank you. She went in for surgery to try and help a friend.”  

Doto smiled in relief. “Thank goodness. I thought she was in an accident or something.” She laughed awkwardly. “I don’t suppose either of you know when she’s going to get out?”  

“No.”  

“No!”  

They answered at the same time in disappointment and irritation. The nurse looked embarrassed at having bothered them and turned to leave.  

“Oi. You.” Katsuki’s voice made her pause. “Anyone come in with anymore of those parasites today?”  

She shook her head. “No. We were briefed on it but haven’t seen anyone else come in with those symptoms. I’ve heard they’re showing up in our sister hospital, though.”  

“Sister hospital?” Shouto asked with a furrowed brow.  

Doto nodded. “We work with Musutafu General, sharing information and resources, so when that report came out last night about the parasites we told them about it and they started watching out for the same things. I guess a few people have come in with the symptoms. I don’t know what happened beyond that, though.”  

Shouto nodded slowly. “That’s good to know. Thank you.”  

“O-of course!” she said with a bright blush. “If I hear anything else, I can let you know if you’re still here!”  

“Or if we’re not you can always let Ani know,” offered Shouto.  

“Sure!” Doto gave them a huge smile before saying goodbye and returning to the ER.  

Shouto fell deep in thought. “Sister hospital...”  

“I didn’t know either,” mumbled Katsuki. He gave Shouto a sour look. “What? Are you really that surprised I was listening, too?”  

Shouto brushed off the comment as he tried to figure out what was nagging him. 

They didn’t wait much longer for Aino and the other neurosurgeon to come out of surgery.  

“How’s she doing?” Shouto asked right away.  

Aino shrugged. “She’s stable. So is Iida-san.” He sighed. “It will take a while for the anesthesia to wear off then once they’re awake we’ll be able to more adequately assess their conditions. I’m sending them up to the ICU for close monitoring until then.”  

“Okay,” said Shouto with a small bow. “Thank you, Aino.”  

“Of course.” He returned the gesture and glanced at the sourpuss. “Anything you want to know?” 

Katsuki scoffed as if he wasn’t worried at all. “No.”  

Aino smirked. “Alright. You’ll have to wait a while to see her but she’ll be upstairs soon. Has anyone called Iida’s family yet? He said he didn’t want them to know until afterward and it’s about time they find out.”  

“Not yet.”  

“Not it!” quipped Katsuki.  

Shouto rolled his eyes. “I’ll call and let them know.”  

“Thank you.” Bags hung under Aino’s eyes. “Feel free to give them my number if there’s anything they need or want to ask.” 

“Mine as well,” offered the other neurosurgeon. 

“Thank you.”  

The two doctors left them as Shouto stepped into a nearby waiting room—empty at this evening hour—and called his old classmate.  

It was a shock.  

Iida was upset, not with Shouto but with his brother that he was just finding out now. He didn’t ask for many details once he knew his brother was stable and declared he would be there as soon as he could, abruptly hanging up.  

Shouto and Katsuki made their way up to the ICU and waited until they could go in. 

“We’re making special allowances because of the patient,” explained a nurse. “But there are certain limitations we have to adhere to. Unfortunately, only one of you will be able to spend the night.” She left before they answered.  

Shouto and Katsuki exchanged an awkward, tense look before they came to her side and each held a hand.  

“Still can’t stand seeing her like this,” mumbled Katsuki.  

Shouto only nodded, throat too tight to speak. 

“Alright,” the explosive pro said. “I’m getting out of this dump.”  

Shouto frowned at looked up at him. “You don’t want to stay?”  

“Of course I do!” he quietly snapped. “But you heard the nurse. Only one of us can stay and we both know who she would prefer to see when she wakes up.”  

Shouto didn’t know what to say. He was grateful and slightly taken aback that Katsuki wouldn’t put up more of a fight.  

Katsuki cleared his throat. “Place smells like barf, anyway. Tch. Only a loser could sleep in a place like this.”  

Shouto smirked. “Yeah.”  

“Sshh!” called a nurse from the desk outside. 

Katsuki glowered at the hall though the nurse couldn’t see. He kissed Ani’s forehead.  

As he headed to the door Shouto quietly said “thank you, Katsuki.”  

“Don’t mention it icy-hot.” In barely more than a whisper he added “just let me know when she wakes up.” 

“I will.”  

Katsuki closed the door behind himself and Shouto turned back to Ani. Pain twitched across her features and she mumbled incoherently until her expression cleared. He held her hand with delicate firmness until she fell peacefully still again and sighed “Sho...” 

He blushed and smiled, shyly content to be there with her. 

 

 

 

Aino came in to check on her in the middle of the night.  

“You’re still here?” Shouto asked.  

Aino smirked. “I was going to ask you the same thing but then I realized I wasn’t surprised at all. And yeah. I napped on the couch in my office...I’ve never liked leaving when Ani’s unconscious.”  

Shouto looked at her. “I understand.”  

“All of her vitals look good. She’s got strong nerve response in her lower extremities,” he read aloud as he skimmed her chart. “I would guess her body’s done regenerating now and just needs the rest.” He glanced at Shouto. “Has she said anything or opened her eyes at all?”  

“She...” pink dusted his cheeks. “She said my name but hasn’t opened her eyes.”  

Again Aino smirked, unsurprised, and shook his head with a small laugh.  

“What?” asked Shouto innocently.  

“Nothing. I’m just glad the two of you have each other.” He smiled.  

“Thank you. Me, too,” replied Shouto. He watched her sleeping face for a moment while Aino checked a few other things. He asked “do you think she’ll need a lot longer than an average night’s sleep?”  

“Probably,” noted Aino. “We did just take out part of her spinal cord.”  

Shouto sighed and pulled out his phone. “I should let her supervisor know.”  

“The school?” Aino’s brow furrowed. “They’re in session on a Sunday?”  

“No,” answered Shouto as he contemplated who to call. “The supervisor for her community service. She usually goes to the hospital to volunteer on Sundays.”  

Aino sucked in a tight breath. “I forgot about that. Shit. If I remembered I wouldn’t have let her do this today.”  

Shouto gave him a flat look. “Do you think that would have worked?”  

“No,” snorted Aino. “Which hospital is it? Maybe I can call someone for her.”  

“It’s Musutafu General, which we just found out is ‘sister hospitals’ with this one,” answered Shouto not thinking much of it anymore.  

“They are, yeah. Although that’s kind of a recent thing.”  

Something about that caught Shouto’s attention. “What do you mean?”  

“Well, recent I mean as in the past couple of years.” Aino was clicking through screens and paused. “Yeah, I think it was right around the time when one of our hospital administrators became the director there. When she transferred, she proposed it.” He shrugged. “Sharing information and resources benefits everyone in the medical community so it went over pretty smoothly. I think they’re even looking at including other hospitals, too.”  

Shouto made a sound of acknowledgement and felt a strange nagging at his mind again. “And you said it was a few years ago?”  

“Yeah,” Aino said attention returning to the computer. “It was actually just around the time when Ani went through her judiciary hearing, remember? After she saved Bakugo’s life and the hospital found out what she could do?”  

“I remember.” Shouto’s mind was churning uncontrollably now.  

Both men froze as Ani made a disgruntled sound and shifted in bed. “Don’t call anyone.”  

“Ani!” they both said eagerly and peered over her.  

“Are you alright?”  

“How are you feeling?” 

She pouted, eyes closed. “Tired.” Aino chuckled and she cracked open her eyes, looking first at Shouto then her brother. “What time is it?”  

“It’s 1:47am.”  

Ani yawned. “Geez. I’ve still got a few more hours before I have to get up.” She tried to roll over and several monitors protested loudly.  

“Exactly. So stay where you are,” ordered Aino. “We have a bunch of tests to do before you leave in the morning, too.”  

“Ani, are you sure you still want to go to volunteering tomorrow?”  

She nodded. “I’ll be fine.” Her eyes started to droop closed. “Hey Aino?”  

“Yes?”  

She sleepily asked “can I have an IV...thingy?...I could use the boost...”  

“Of course,” he said.  

She was asleep before he was out of the room.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ani was on time for volunteering. It was a feat that she mainly credited to Shouto for being at her side when she woke up and supplying plenty of caffeine. He was the reason Iida’s whole family was there...and also the reason Ani wasn’t bombarded with their attention when she was leaving though she agreed to meet them another time.  

As Ani checked in the administrator expressed disappointment that Ani didn’t have another delivery of blood. She hadn’t considered they would need more after her mid-week delivery.  

“Hey Sho?” she asked, stepping into a corner to call him.  

Ani, is everything alright?” He was instantly alert having just dropped her off.  

“Yes. I just forgot to bring some extra blood for the hospital. Could you please bring some to me from my lab?” She grimaced guiltily. “I would go myself but I—”  

“I understand. If you left, it would count against your hours.”   

Ani smiled, feeling understood. “Exactly…Do you mind?”  

Not at all. I’ll be there soon.”   

“Thanks.”  

 

 

 

 

 

Shouto was about to shower but redressed; he would do it after he dropped off Ani’s blood.  

“Tch. That was fast,” noted Katsuki from the couch. “Finally decide to actually use the apartment you have in this city?” 

Shouto ignored the taunt as he gathered his things. “Ani needs me to drop off a batch of her blood. I’ll be back soon.”  

With a sound of disgust Katsuki said “good thing she asked you.”  

“…what?” Shouto paused with his hand on the doorknob.  

Katsuki didn’t look up from his phone when he answered “that fuckin’ director is a creep.”  

“Which director?” Shouto turned away from the door.  

“Of the hospital ,” answered Katsuki, snarky and unaware. “She got all fan-girl on me in front of Ani.”  

“Why?”  

“What are you, my mom?” Katsuki asked sarcastically and finally looked up to see his fellow pro’s tense stance and focused suspicion. “What?”  

“The director of Musutafu General used to work at Dagoben General. She transferred around the time of Ani’s hearing.”  

Katsuki frowned. “The hearing where she got in trouble for saving me?”  

“Yes.” Shouto’s mind was racing as Katsuki slowly rose from the couch.  

“I got hurt saving that director’s kid.”  

Shouto’s heart pounded. “And you saved him from...”  

Though there were still gaps, the bigger picture clicked into place as Katsuki and Shouto stared at each other.  

“The League.”  

Chapter 137: Oviposit

Notes:

I hope the numerous recent updates aren't irritating, lol, I'm JUST SO EXCITED

Chapter Text

Ani waited anxiously for Shouto to come with her blood. When time kept passing and he hadn’t shown up she began to worry…finally he texted.

 

Hobansu wouldn’t let me in...he insisted it would be against school policy

 

Ani sighed went back to work. She’d drop off more blood later.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What the fuck would the League want with some random-ass office worker’s kid?” Katsuki asked out loud as he angrily paced.

“Did the police ever investigate it?”

“No. They never found any evidence of the League being involved,” snarled Katsuki.

Shouto rested his clenched fists on the table. “And almost everyone from the league is dead.” Their eyes snapped to each other and said at the same time:

“Almost.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ani was exhausted. By lunch she knew that Shouto was right and it would have been better for her body to have had an extra day of rest but she was here. A constant stream of coffee and protein bars sustained her enough to get through the day though she couldn’t offer any direct transfusions.

“You look rough,” one of the doctors noted at the end of the day. “Was today that bad?”

Ani shook her head, knowing she had dark circles under eyes that would rival Shinsou. “No, I had a long night last night.”

He asked “you okay?”

“Yeah, thank you.” Ani tried to muster a reassuring smile but knew it didn’t touch her eyes. “I just need to get home and get some rest.”

 

 

 

~

                                                                                                                                                            

 

 

“Neeehhhhhh…” The young blonde looked as crazed as ever as she plopped into the chair across from Shouto and Katsuki. Her time in Tartarus had made her more pale. “It’s been a while cuties…” she inhaled the air like a fox in heat. “…And you’ve been busy while I’ve been gone.”

Katsuki sneered from the wall where he was leaning. “Keep it in your pants.”

Shouto shot a dark look over his shoulder as Toga pouted. They didn’t have many options left and they needed her to cooperate.

“Don’t worry, my heart will always belong to ‘Zuku. So…” she walked two fingers around the table, jingling the chain on her handcuffs. “To what do I owe this visit, from two of you, no less…”

Shouto steeled himself. “We need your help.”

“Ohh?” Toga cupped her cheeks. “What could pro heroes possibly want from me?”

“Almost four years ago the League went after a child in Dagoben. We need to figure out why.”

“A child?” Toga frowned. “That doesn’t sound like something we would do.”

“Tch, why not? Buncha villains have morals now?” commented Katsuki.

Toga gave him a half-dreamy, half-condescending look. “What would a child have to give us?”

Shouto cleared his throat. “The League attacked a school and Ground Zero responded to the call.” He watched Toga’s eyes flicker with recognition. 

“I remember now. We saw Ground Zero totally healed after Dabi-kun burned him to a crisp…” she grinned, tracing her fangs with her tongue. “That’s when we first found out about Ani-chan.”

Shouto willed the explosive pro behind him to stay calm; the use of Ani’s name got under his skin, too, but they had to keep it together. “Yes. That was the attack. Why did you go to that school?”

Toga pursed her lips. “Neh…why do you want to know?”

“We have our reasons,” replied Shouto.

“Then why would I have any reason to answer?” asked Toga, eyes narrowing shrewdly. “What does it matter to me?”

Shouto knew the interview was being recorded but he had to take the chance. “I’ll tell you where Shigaraki is.”

Toga’s eyes gleamed. “’Raki-kun?! You know where he is?” When Shouto nodded she asked “and Dabi? Kurogiri-kun?!”

“We’ll trade information. I know prisoners here aren’t given news from the outside so you’re going to have to decide quickly before we’re interrupted.” He waited a long moment before glancing up in the corner of the room.

“Time’s running out, freak,” Katsuki quietly snarled.

Shouto glanced over his shoulder and they exchanged a nod. “Nevermind, Toga. We can tell you don’t know.” He started to stand up and her hands reached out, lashing against the restraints.

“Wait!” Her eyes darted around hungrily. “I do know…I just…I just want to know why you want to know…”

Without sitting back down Shouto answered “we’re trying to save Ani.”

“Ani-chan?” Toga’s eyes widened as if it was the name of an old friend. She asked “why?” and then smiled slyly. “Did ‘Raki-san get her back?"

“Shigaraki is dead.”

The playful emotion bled from Toga’s face. “You’re joking.”

“We’re not,” assured Shouto. His tone left no room for doubt.

Toga pinched her lips. “What about Dabi?...Kurogiri?”

“They’re gone, too,” said Shouto quietly.

“And...” Toga’s eyes dripped with tears. “...Twice?”

Shouto’s eyes fell, feeling sorry in an odd way as he realized they had been her family. “He’s dead.”

Toga closed her eyes, face flushed, tears flowed, and her fangs showed as she clenched her fists and slammed them on the table looking like a villain deserving to be in Tartarus.

Shouto and Katsuki went still as the young blonde roared “Cubozoa!” She thrashed against her restraints. “I’ll kill that bastard!”

Shouto’s pulse quickened, fearing the guards would come in and subdue her before they found out what they needed to know. “Who is Cubozoa?”

“That kid’s mother!” she shouted.

 

 

 

 

“I’ve been looking for you...Shigaraki Tomura.”

The blue-haired man looked up lazily from the alley; Toga skipping with him paused. “Yeah? And who are you?”

“Someone who wants to help.”

“Tch. I don’t need any help.” He pushed past the person leaning against the wall so casually in front of him. If they really knew who he was they should be showing some respect. “Get lost.”

“Aren’t you the least bit curious as to who I am?” they followed the pair at a distance. “How I found you?...Maybe even why I'm here?”

“Ah! Fuck!” Shigaraki snapped as he stepped on a stone in his shoe. He ungracefully leaned against the alley and shook it. He was starting to get really annoyed. “Who do you think you are? Eh? Get the hell out of my face!”

“Nehh, ‘Raki-san, I’ll cut them up…just say the word,” muttered Toga.

“Mr. Shigaraki, you have something that I want.” The person took a bold step forward. “I know you inherited All-For-One.”

Shigaraki's eyes glinted dangerously in the low light and his cracked lips pulled back in a wild smirk. “And? You can’t possibly be suggesting that’s what you want.”

“I’m not suggesting.” Their steps echoed down the alley as they approached. “You’re going to give it to me.”

Shigaraki laughed at them. “And why the hell would I do that?!”

“Because we have common goals. I want to see the end of heroes, just like you do.”

“Neh...but it’s my destiny to be that end.” He grinned haughtily and Toga’s eyes blazed in support. Her fingers were twitching, aching to dance with a blade.

The figure shrugged. “Think what you want. But I’m taking All-For-One.”

“Then come and get it,” challenged Shigaraki with palms opened. All she saw was a subtle flick of the stranger’s wrist and suddenly Toga couldn’t move. By the gagging sound next to her, she could tell whatever happened to her, happened to Shigaraki, too.

“Painful...isn’t it?” asked the stranger. They took slow steps toward him, ignoring the young girl altogether.

Shigaraki spat through clenched teeth “what is this?! What did you do to me?”

They chortled. “It was a good hit, I have to admit. With that much you’ve already gone into shock. Next you will lose consciousness and all your faculties will fail. You will die.”

Shigaraki cackled. “Then All-For-One will die with me!”

The figure smiled. “Do you really think so?” A strange, quiet droning sound fell from above. Toga could barely tip her head back enough to see the morphed person-wasp floating down. “Meet my colleague and dear friend…She uses her quirk to lay an egg inside someone. Well. I say egg…but really I mean parasite.”

Their ugly mug came down right in front of Shigaraki, disgust written plainly across his face.

The dark figure, almost completely blocked from Toga’s view, chuckled. “It’s amazing really…the egg then controls its host.

Shigaraki trembled in fury. “You think you can just take it from me?!” He was counting down the minutes…Kurogiri was bound to come looking for him soon.

“If you’re thinking your friends will be here soon to help you…I can assure you you’ll both be dead before then.”

Toga hated how she believed them. The pain encased her in everyway and she could feel her mental faculties slipping away.

With strain Shigaraki snarled“ and what are you going to do with it, if it you take it?”

“I’ll give it back, eventually.”

Shigaraki’s jaw was clenched tight. “That’s not an answer.”

“You’re still peddling around with these cheap, disposable villains…” They scoffed. “You seriously thought you’d be able to take down the number two hero by holding a train station hostage?”

Shigaraki managed an evil smile. “Sent him to the hospital, didn’t we?”

“Tsk, tsk tsk. You’re not looking at the bigger picture. You’re throwing yourself over and over again at their main defenses and you’ll never get through that way. Heroes are like weeds…as soon as you pull one out another will pop up to take its place.”

“We intend to poison the plot.”

“And what then? Hm?” The figure asked, their wasp-ally stepping to the side so they could stand in-front of Shigaraki. “Will you use fear to force everyone into submission?” They sighed. “So naiive, Shigaraki…You’re still using All-For-One as if you were your master. You are not. You’re in a different time and you fail to look at the bigger picture. Our society…with its hero obsession…it cannot be razed.”

“And I suppose you know what to do, then?” Shigaraki was drenched in sweat, fighting the pain that eclipsed everything else.

“Of course I do. They have to believe they’ve been neglected. Denied privileges gifted only to their protectors. The public has to be turned against the heroes. They need to feel abandoned…and then the heroes need to be turned against each other. Fighting is flashy, sure. But it’s short-sighted. Just like my dear friend’s quirk…you have to worm your way into this world and become the parasite that controls from within.”

“So why haven’t you done this already? Taken everything out yourself.”

“Because you people keep getting in my way. You fail every time you try and I’ve had enough. I won’t watch All-For-One be squandered like this.” Dark eyes glinted in the night. “Your time is almost up Shigaraki. Make your choice: I’ll take it from you and leave you to die. Or you can give it to me, and I’ll help you in your cause.”

“How do I know you’re not just going to take it and let me die anyway?”

The wasp-woman pointed a gruesome stinger at his face. “Time’s up—”

“Wait!” Shigaraki roared. He was angry. But anger did not preclude his ability to reason…it was one of the reasons Toga had stayed with him through everything. And despite what this person thought of him…he could see the bigger picture. He was not short-sighted and childish enough to sacrifice his life in this moment. He would get All-For-One back. “I expect you’ll be able to heal me after this.”

Toga watched the energy drain from him and she could see it in their eyes as the power of All-For-One settled into every fiber of their being.

“Enjoy it while you can,” he sneered. “I’ll be coming for you.”

“You can try…but I’ll be tucked away in the castle keep, guarded by the government’s thugs.” The figure smiled condescendingly. “You’ve always been unworthy, Shigaraki. If you actually manage to get inside the walls of this world, I’ll willingly return All-For-One to you. Otherwise, have fun dying the failure you are.”

They tossed a tube at him. “Your friends can apply that to save your life…if they ever show up.”

 

 

 

 

Shouto and Katsuki were both staring at the young villain.

“What are you…” Katsuki’s chest was heaving. “…saying?”

Toga looked up with a sly, slow-spreading smile as she focused on Shouto whose eyes were wide with horror. “Looks like you already know.”

Katuski’s red eyes flicked to Shouto.

“She’s saying they attacked the director’s son…” the two tones of his eyes shifted to his peer. “As revenge.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Shouto was weaving aggressively through traffic. “Midoriya, we know who’s been laying the parasites: it's the director of Musutafu General.”

The hospital?!” asked Midoriya, shocked.

“Yes and Ani’s there today but she’s not answering her phone.” Shouto was trying not to panic.

I’ll go check on her. I’m not far.”

“That’s great, nerd,” interrupted Katsuki. “But the director’s obsessed with Ani and she shows up around her all the time.”

Midoriya was quiet for a beat and then said "I’ll make sure she gets out of there safely.”

 

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

 

“Yeah, thank you.” Ani tried to muster a reassuring smile but knew it didn’t touch her eyes. “I just need to get home and get some rest.”

“Shida-san!” A surprising yet familiar voice called her attention. The doctor’s eyes widened as Deku appeared.

“Midoriya-san, What brings you to the hospital?” Ani felt a touch of nerves under the attention of her old idol before concern took over. “Are you hurt??”

“No, I happened to be in the area and noticed the time. I thought you would be finishing your hours around now,” he replied with an easy smile. “It’s been a while. Want to walk back to campus together?”

The doctor’s eyebrows raised and Ani couldn’t help the touch of heat to her cheeks. “Oh, uh-m, sure. Yeah. That would be great.” She gestured awkwardly down the hall. “I-I just have to get my things and then I’ll be ready to go.”

“Of course,” he encouraged her. “Take your time.”

Ani nodded and went to the locker room, quickly changing before she grabbed her things and went back into the hall.

“Shida-san!”

Ani skidded to a hault feeling another wave of fatigue. She turned and greeted the approaching secretary with whatever patience she could muster.

“Is everything alright?”

“Of course,” the frazzled assistant brushed the hair from her own face. “Mrs. Azamuku heard about the incredible transplant last night and wanted to thank you for still coming in today. Are you available to dine with her tonight?”

Ani’s brow lifted. “Have dinner with her?” She frowned. “I don’t think it warrants that. I was just following through on an obligation.”

“Oh no no,” she assured Ani. “The director was most impressed. She couldn’t let such dedication go unappreciated.”

“Miss Shida-san is unavailable this evening.” Midoriya was suddenly at Ani’s side with his friendly smile.

“O-oh,” the secretary said eyes flitting between the two of them.

Ani swallowed the lump in her throat finding Midoriya’s interjection odd. On instinct she went with it. “Please give her my apologies. I’ve already made plans this evening.”

“Of course.” The timid woman awkwardly turned away. When she glanced over her shoulder, Midoriya was still standing with Ani, almost protectively. Once she was out of sight Midoriya turned to her.

In an urgent whisper he said “we need to leave, immediately.”

Ani nodded wordlessly and tried to keep a calm expression as she led Midoriya out through the low-traffic hallways. He was at her side like a shadow and stayed close out on the street, too.

“What’s going on?” Ani asked as they fell into stride.

Midoriya’s eyes were taking in every detail of the cityscape as they strode along. “Shouto and Katsuki aren’t back in the city yet. They asked me to make sure you made it home safely and it was a good thing they did.” He laughed awkwardly. “If I was only a minute later.”

“Where did they go?” Ani asked anxiously. “Why did they ask? What’s going on? Are they okay?!”

“They’re fine,” he said with a glance at her from the corner of his eye. “And we shouldn’t talk here.”

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

 

“Her phone died. That’s why she didn’t answer but he’s got her,” Katsuki said. He was still tense, angry, but underneath Shouto could hear the note of relief. “They’re on their way back to campus now.”

Shouto was relieved, too, but he didn’t slow down.

Chapter 138: Instar

Notes:

Get some crackers...'cuz it gets kinda cheesy.

Chapter Text

Shinsou was waiting for them at the gate. “Midoriya, Shida. Come with me.” Sharing a tense glance they followed him to the main building.  

“Todoroki and Bakugo already called,” he informed them. “They’ve explained the situation and Nezu offered to host a meeting here. More of our fellow alumni will be arriving soon, too, Midoriya.”  

“That’s good,” said Midoriya. Ani didn’t want to go into a large meeting like this without knowing what was going on.  

“M-Midoriya, can I borrow your phone?” She asked. “I want to call Shouto.”  

“Of course.” He offered it to her on the steps and said “I’ll be right inside if you need me.”  

Shinsou added “I’m going up. Nezu wants you both to come up as soon as you can.”  

Ani nodded and turned, already dialing the number she knew by heart.  

Midoryia ?”   

“Shouto! It’s me—" 

Ani! Where are you?”  

“Oi, what the hell?!”   

She knew she was on speaker phone. “Sho, ‘Suki, I’m back on campus. Midoriya’s here, too, and Nezu’s calling a meeting? What’s going on?!”  

That director is the person laying the parasites, damn it!”   

“Parasites?” Ani asked in confusion. “What are you talking about?”  

 

 

 

Shouto and Katsuki exchanged a look. They forgot they hadn’t told her.  

“The holder of All-For-One, Fission, is working with the director of Musutafu General. She can lay a parasite that controls the person she infects.”  

Oh my god…That’s why you had Midoriya come to the hospital.”   

“Glad that damn nerd is good for something,” muttered Katsuki.  

Talking over him Shouto added “she helped Fission get All-For-One from Shigaraki almost four years ago.”  

And that’s why the League attacked her son…isn’t it?” Ani asked. 

 

 

 

Standing on the steps of the UA main building Ani cupped her forehead. “For fucks sake…” she squeezed her eyes shut. “How did you guys figure this out?”  

We talked to that psycho vampire at Tartarus.”   

Ani’s eyes flashed open. “Toga?! You went to ask Toga and she…she just volunteered this information!?”  

No.” Shouto’s voice was guarded. “ We told her the other members of the League died and she assumed it was the director—she called her Cubozoa .”   

“Seemed worth it no t to correct her,” added Katsuki . “ Especially since she was still way too excited at the mention of your name .”   

Ani fought a wave of nausea. “Okay…” she weakly said.  

Ani? Are you alright?” Shouto asked, hearing the drastic change in her voice.  

“Yes...” she lied and silently dry-heaved over the edge of the staircase.  

“Shida-san!” Midoriya was at her side to help keep her balance. He heard Shouto and Katsuki furiously shouting over the phone and took it from her hand. “Did you tell her?”  

“’Zuku—” The jade-haired hero turned at the sound of his girlfriend’s voice. “Let me help her, I’ll get her to the bathroom.”  

“Thank you,” Midoriya said and let Uraraka effortlessly float Ani inside.  

 

 

 

“I SWEAR TO GOD DEKU IF YOU DON’T START TALKING—”  

“SHUT UP AND MAYBE WE CAN HEAR HIM!” roared Shouto, driving recklessly as they saw the skyline of Musutafu.  

Shida was about to be sick but she’s going to be okay Uraraka just took her to the bathroom. How far away are the two of you?”   

“We’re coming into the city now.”  

“Okay. Nezu’s prepared the meeting. Come straight here when you get to campus.”   

“Obviously, nerd!” snapped Katsuki and Shouto hung up before the ash-blonde could insult their old friend anymore.  

 

 

 

“Shida-chan….” Uraraka asked through the stall door when the heaving stopped. “Are you alright?”  

Ani stared into the white porcelain waters. 

Why… 

After everything that happened… 

Why was she so disturbed by this news more than anything else recently?  

It didn’t take long to figure it out.  

She’d sat in the director’s office and no idea, not the slightest instinct that the woman was lying.  

 

 

 

Though we don’t know exactly who is at fault, we’ll be launching a full investigation with the police to figure out who is responsible for this. ”   

 

  

 

Ani berated herself. How could she have accepted that lie so easily?! …She half-sobbed, half-laughed at herself, unable to mute the strangled sound.  

“Shida-san?” Uraraka asked, more worried this time.  

Ani did her best to wipe her face and then came out of the stall. “I’m fine…sorry.”  

“Please don’t be sorry…Is there anything I can do?”  

Ani shook her head, washing her hands and then her face. She stared into the sink, clenched fists resting on the counter. Uraraka waited patiently. 

“I’m such a fool.” Tears started falling again and Ani didn’t bother to hide them. “I’ve talked to that woman so many times…and never once did I think she had any malicious intentions. I trusted her—and willingly handed my blood to a villain’s accomplice!” She sniffled. “I don’t deserve to be a hero.”  

The bathroom was quiet for a long moment, only a few drips of water breaking the silence.  

“Shida-san…that’s a rather drastic view of heroes.” Uraraka’s voice was gentle, drawing Ani’s attention up. “We’ve all been deceived at some point. Even the most cunning among heroes has been tricked.” She smiled warmly at Ani. “Trusting that someone is innocent…or at least not malicious…is a very hero-like thing to do.”  

Ani wiped her face. She bit her lips to stop them from trembling and felt speechless under the brunette’s kindness.  

Uraraka’s eyes fell guiltily away. “I feel like maybe that’s what we haven’t been able to do for each other…”  

“Me, too,” admitted Ani. She picked at a fingertip. “I didn’t think you’d want to be friends since you’re so close with Yaoyorozu. I’m sorry.”  

“I’m sorry too...Yaomomo is one of my closest friends,” Uraraka said with a smile. “I always thought you wouldn’t want to be friends with me because of that.” She added “and…I didn’t know how to interpret your reaction to Izuku when we first met you.”  

Ani’s eyes widened and she cringed inwardly at herself, wishing she had tried to clear this up sooner. “I looked up to Izuku for a long time as a hero but that’s all! I’ve felt anything more than that!”  

“I know, I know,” Uraraka replied. “Well…I know that now.”  

Ani thought for a moment then asked “has someone done that before? Used one of you to meet someone else?” Her brow began to furrow. “Because if they have, they’re a—”  

“No, no!” Uraraka assured her with a wave of her hands.  

The thought of someone using one of them—especially Shouto—as a stepping stone to meet another hero made her blood curdle with anger. “That’s good,” said Ani as she exhaled heavily. After a moment she looked to Uraraka and offered “truce?”  

“Truce,” accepted the brunette with a warm smile. “Are you feeling better?”  

“Oh, yes!” Ani straightened up and turned toward the door. “I don’t want to make us late for the meeting!”  

“Shida-san.”  

Ani stopped, looking back over her shoulder and saw Uraraka struggling for words. “Yes…”  

The brunette’s fists were clenched, pressed against her sides. “I…I think you’re a more important hero than you realize.”  

“Eh?” Speechlessness took Ani by surprise.  

Uraraka took a deep breath. “Heroes take care of everyone. We want to help and protect and save whoever we can…but I’ve wondered for a long time who takes care of us.” She met Ani’s eye. “To know there’s someone watching over us…it gives me great peace of mind.”  

“Uraraka-san…” Ani’s eyes watered. “I don’t know what to say.”  

The brunette clenched a fist in the same way as Midoriya. “Promise you won’t give up on yourself. Keep fighting because we need you, too!”  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Geez, at least wait until I park the car you reckless hothead!” shouted Shouto as Katsuki flung the door open and took off across campus; he was following after a moment later. They saw other heroes going into the impressive glass building and rushed to catch up.  

All Shouto could think about was the girl waiting somewhere inside.  

What were they going to do?  

 

 

 

A surprising number already gathered inside the large gymnasium that had been arranged to accommodate a large meeting and Shouto scanned the room. With her fellow faculty, Shouto saw the blonde ponytail. He wove through, ignoring mentions of his name, until Ani was within reach. The expression he wore must have been intense because the other teachers looked up in surprise making Ani turn.  

He yanked her close and crushed her against himself so hard it cut off her breath.   

“Sho—”  

The rest of the world faded away. “Ani-chan,” he whispered.  

Ani was glad she was pressed against him because her face burned. “Sh-Sho-kun.” She hugged him back. With what breath she could catch she whispered “I’m alright.”  

“You’re going to suffocate her you half-and-half bastard,” snarled Katsuki as he approached, too. Shouto held onto her for a long moment before slowly releasing her; the room came back into focus.  

She looked up at him with a reassuring smile and took his hand.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Shouto would have been lying if he said the week passed easily. Every moment he was working dragged against his psyche like sandpaper and the time when he was back with Ani slipped away too quickly. He stopped trying to convince her of a different plan and put his effort into taking every precaution of which he could think.  

Chojen and Cipher upgraded Ani’s tracking device to monitor her vitals, too, so they would know if she was hurt, if she was regenerating from an injury, or just regenerating to help someone else. They added extra security to her phone. He made sure she had cell phone numbers for every hero she might need, everyone in his agency. Flora and Aves had been covering Musutafu and Dagoben with intense scrutiny for any sign of action from Fission—or anyone else who may be working with him.  

Ani had been busy, too.  

Her students caught wind of the massive hero gathering on Sunday night. She did her best to answer their questions honestly without making them uneasy and as far as she could tell—and what the other teachers said—they weren’t worried. She pushed herself to the limit in everyway. Anytime she wasn’t in class or with Shouto, she was in the lab. Katsuki stayed in Dagoben but never let a day go by without making sure she was okay.  

“You’re still here?” Shinsou’s voice came from the doorway and she looked up from the centrifuge. “You know the school week is over...right?”  

“Heh, Yeah,” replied Ani with a tired smirk and checked another machine.  

He slowly walked in, looking at all the equipment quietly for a few minutes until Ani gave him a passing glance.  

“Everything okay?” she asked without breaking the concentration on her work. He leaned against the counter not far from her.  

“Shida-san...” his voice was hesitant. “Are you pushing yourself this hard because of me?”  

Ani paused from her work for a moment and pulled back from the microscope with a furrowed brow. “Because of you?...Why would you think that?”  

“Well...” He rubbed the back of his neck. “I can’t help but feel like I was the one who pushed you into becoming an official hero...and that...I put too much pressure on you by doing so.” He could feel her watching him but he couldn’t bring himself to look at her. “Everything you’ve done this week...it just seems like you’re trying to save everyone.” 

“It’s not your fault.” She stepped back from the microscope but looked away from him. “All of this...it started so long ago because I trusted a gut feeling I had. That feeling led me to helping others in a way I never thought I could before. Time and time again since then...I’ve trusted that same instinct and it hasn’t let me down yet.”  

“So you’re doing all of this because of a gut feeling?” Shinsouo asked with a simple gesture around the lab.  

“Yes.”  

Low sounds of machines filled the tense silence until Shinsou asked “what’s your gut telling you now?”  

Ani slowly lifted her eyes to meet his gaze and fear tolled through Shinsou. “That we’re nearing the end.”  

Chapter 139: Molt Part 1

Chapter Text

Twenty-four hours. Shouto sat with her in bed as neither of them had been able to sleep; Ani knew she needed to rest and tried the whole night. Now that it was exactly twenty-four hours until she had to return to the hospital the reality of the situation weighed every muscle down.

Sensing the fatigue sinking through her, Shouto wrapped his arm around her and her weight quickly sank against him. He gently shifted until they were lying down together. Sleep washed over him, too.

 

 

 

Ani woke up in a flash and threw the covers, Shouto’s arm off herself and sprinted to the bathroom. She barely made it to the toilet in time. Several heaves and flushes later she sat on the floor drenched in a cold sweat. She was shaking.

“Ani?” Shouto called softly from bed and appeared in the doorway a moment later. “Ani! What’s wrong?” He wiped the tears from her face.

When had she started crying?

Before she could answer there was a knock at her door. “I’ll be right back, okay?” He only stood after she nodded. It wasn’t worth straining to hear the low voices talking from the doorway. After the door close Shouto returned by himself.

“Who was it?” She asked weakly.

He wet a washcloth and sat next to her wiping her face as he answered “something that can wait until later.”

“Okay.” She leaned against him and he welcomed her into his arms.

Brushing the sweaty hair from her face he said "Ani...Why are you doing this?” His voice was unjudging though the question was soaked with concern.

She searched for words...felt her mind whirl through everything she’d been through. Her only reply: “sometimes there isn’t a reason we can put into words. It’s a feeling...one we have to see through.”

He accepted the answer with disquiet in his heart. Ani wasn’t an offense-style hero. There was so much she could do—especially that no one else could—but...this was different.

Time ticked away and Shouto stayed by her side the entire day. Katsuki joined them later that evening with bags of food. They ate in front of the tv watching movies not saying much but conveying more in their physical proximity than they ever could with words. When it was late enough that Ani needed to at least try to sleep they all went to bed together.

Shouto and Katsuki were able to drift off. Ani tried, too, but still couldn’t no matter how much she willed it to come. So instead she lay between them staring out at night sky. It was clear. And on these rare, clear nights, a couple dozen stars won the battle over the city lights and appeared. She wondered what the stars were like when there was no light pollution. What would they look like from the mountains? From the sea?

Shouto mentioned vacations they'd taken so she knew she had seen them before but like so many other details...she couldn’t remember. How much had been taken from her...from others...all over this stupid quirk All-For-One. She despised it. She despised  how it had come to represent a tool to make society into the holder’s vision. She despised the greed the League and these others felt over it...for all the pain and suffering it had caused over so many years. These feelings were tied up with the reasons she was going through with this.

 

 

 

 

 

Shouto insisted on seeing her to the hospital. He stayed protectively close and surveyed the passing crowds the whole time. Ani knew there was nothing she could say to put him at ease so she didn’t try. She let him walk her all the way and hold their parting hug as long as he needed.

“I love you,” he whispered.

With every fiber of her being she said “I love you.”

He loosened his grip but held onto her—his fingertips passing down her arms—and gave her hands one last squeeze before she went inside.

Ani did her best to put on her usual expression and chat normally with the people she’d come to know. She tried not to react when she checked in with the hospital administrator.

“Director Azamuku would like to see you in her office before you start today.”

Ani gulped, getting an opening unexpectedly early. “Thank you.” She went up, concentrating on long and slow deep breaths. It was like she was conscious of every passing second. The timid secretary was working furiously at her desk and Ani had to make a polite sound to the get the young woman’s attention.

“Excuse me, the director asked to see me?”

“Oh! Yes!” She jumped and lunged for her phone, nearly knocking it off the receiver. After a moment she said “Miss Shida’s here to see you....Okay.” She stood up and gestured to the door. “She’s ready to see you now, please go in.”

“Thank you,” Ani quietly replied and bowed her head.

The director was stationed at her desk with an unreadable expression; files were spread out before her. “Miss Shida. Thank you for coming to see me.”

“Of course,” Ani answered and took a seat. Every one of her senses was on high alert. She could do this. “Is something wrong?”

With a guarded expression the woman said “unfortunately yes.”

Ani could feel her face heating up but she stayed quiet.

“I’m sure you’ve heard reports on the news of patients turning up with these...parasites?” The question was rhetorical. “We’ve had them coming into the ER all week and have been able to remove them but not without damage to their nervous system. As per the experience of Dagoben General’s head surgeon—your brother I believe—we were able to heal these patients with the help of your blood.”

“Did you run out of blood?” Ani asked, momentarily forgetting her objective in fear for others.

The director gave Ani a tight smile. "No. If only the problem were that easy. You see...we’ve started having a problem...” She cleared her throat. “Everyone who received your blood as treatment...has lost the ability to use their quirk.”

Ani’s pulse pounded.

This was not what she expected to hear.

 She felt the color draining from her face. In an incredulous whisper she asked “what?”

“We have had seventeen cases of parasite-infections, each one successfully removed and treated. And yet, all seventeen of those people are now quirkless.” Mrs. Azamuku stared at Ani who was losing her focus. “We researched the anomaly to see if it was perhaps as a result of the parasites and have found that anyone who has received your blood in the past few weeks has become quirkless.”

“That’s...that’s impossible—”

“Miss Shida," she steamrolled over Ani. "I was very disappointed to learn of this and have to do what is right, what is best for our patients. You are formally banned from our medical campus.”

“Wait, what—”

“I have informed the probation office, as well as the justice department of your abuse and malpractice—”

“—hold  on—”

“And you will be reassigned to a different method of public compensation after the court’s review of your case.” Mrs. Azamuku rose from her chair, staring down at Ani. “You are dismissed.”

Ani was blown away, unable to think on her feet as she slowly stood and turned away from the director in a haze. So many people had been counting on her...they needed real evidence...and she let them all down...Not just the heroes...but people who needed help. How had this happened?

Had someone poisoned her blood?!

A point of color caught Ani’s eye on her way to the door and Ani paused. Her attention narrowed to the face that triggered something in her memory...

“Miss Shida, please leave my office.”

Without thinking Ani approached the picture and recognized the blazing orange hair, the features, of the malevolent gym leader who was a part of Shouto's kidnapping and torture. “Rua...”

No... this woman’s skin was scalier... She had seen this face only once: when she was in custody and accused of her murder.

“Ryoshi.” Ani turned to find Mrs. Azamuku waiting angrily. “How do you know her?”

“That’s none of your business, Miss Shida. Now leave or I’ll have security escort you from the premises.”

Ani didn’t budge. The gravity of the situation shifted back into focus for her. “...I first met you at Recovery Girl's Retirement Dinner..." Ani said the words as she vaguely remembered everything that happened that night. “And Rua—Ryoshi's twin was there. You...You’re involved with them.” She gestured to the picture of Ryoshi and Mrs. Azamuku together.

There was a flash of something in the director’s eye before she looked away. “If you’re referring to the former owner of Illicium, I was only involved in the sense that she was my cousin. But, as you well know, she was involved in several nefarious plans and was killed though she had been a great friend to me when I was younger.” Her tight gaze returned to Ani. “Thank you for reminding me of the shame she brought upon my family and the pain in her passing.”

Ani couldn’t tell if the woman was lying again. She couldn't think quickly enough.

“Security,” the director said to through the intercom. A moment later two guards came into her office and took Ani’s arms.

No. No, Ani couldn’t leave before she got what she needed.

“No, wait. Mrs. Azamuku!” The guards began to force her out and she struggled back against them “Mrs. Azamuku, don’t do this!”

They dragged her out of the office where the secretary was standing, looking away as if nothing was happening. “DON’T DO THIS!” screamed Ani in a panic.

How had this gone so horribly wrong...

Shouto was at her side the instant she was out of the hospital. “Ani?!”

Before they could draw any attention to themselves, he maneuvered them out-of-sight and down the block where Katsuki was waiting.

“What the hell. That fast?” the angry pro asked.

Ani shook her head, eyes like pools of despair. "I didn't get it...She had me thrown out of the hospital before I could get her to infect me with a parasite.”

“Threw you out? Why?!” asked Shouto.

Tears started to flow down her face and she covered her mouth, unable to say it.

“Oh shit...” muttered Katsuki as he looked at a notification on his phone.

“What?” Shouto asked with an arm wrapping around Ani, holding her up.

He turned the screen. “This just went up.” News reports—online and being broadcast live—were announcing the hospital’s reports that the renowned Regeneration Hero's blood had been erasing people’s quirks. Shouto watched with Katsuki as ‘victims’ came forward admitting they received a treatment of Ani’s blood and were then rendered quirkless. Shouto clutched Ani as her legs gave out; she knew her blood didn’t actually take away their quirks...but the director and whoever she was working with had been orchestrating this.

One news station boasted about a live interview with the director in an hour.

Ani’s mind raced. “She’s going on tv...to do an interview..." she thought out loud as Shouto and Katsuki looked at her. “That...that means she’s going to leave the hospital. We—I can still get the plan to work.”

“What?!” snapped Katsuki.

“Ani, you can’t be serious,” said Shouto.

Her eyes darted between them, completely serious. “I can do this. She can't technically have me thrown out of the parking garage so I can talk to her before she leaves and still get the evidence we need.”

“Ani, no—”

“Yes!” she insisted. “It’s the only way! It has to be now, before she’s able to do anymore damage!”

Katsuki and Shouto exchanged a worried look.

“I can do this,” said Ani straightening up. “And if you’re worried, then come with me. Stay out of sight but close enough that you can jump in if you think you need to.” She looked between them. “Okay? I’m going to do this. You can come if you want.”

She started walking away and Shouto grabbed her hand, pulling her back against him so he could look into her eyes. “You’re sure...?”

“Yes.” She had to do this. The heroes' plan rested on their ability to prove the director had been laying the parasites...she couldn't let them down.

Chapter 140: Molt Part 2

Chapter Text

The heroes gathered in the circle; with no obvious leader in charge, Nezu began.  

“The villain we’re up against is not a traditional villain.” He displayed a portrait of Fission...the man recently released from Tartarus. “He’s had a lot of attention and has already gained a lot of public support. He’s operating in the open which is the first and most obvious difference.  

“The second is his right-hand: Azamuku Cubuzoa.” The first picture was joined with the director of Musutafu General. “She’s a well-connected, highly respected member of society. The third difference that makes not only Fission but Azamuku, as well, is neither of them lay their plans out. As many of you have experienced I’m sure, a villain gets overly confident in the heat of battle when their victory seems assured.  

“But for both of these people, when they’ve been doing well or even backed into a corner they reveal nothing. They give no hint as to their primary goal. Their end vision of society. We know none of it.” Nezu put his hands on his hips, tail twitching thoughtfully. “We have to move forward carefully and conscientiously as a team, no matter what agency or organization we belong to. Is that agreed?”  

An affirming sentiment echoed around the room. 

“We obviously need to figure out what they want first before we can do anything,” Bakugo angrily commented.  

“Reconnaissance,” agreed Midoriya thoughtfully cupping his chin.  

Uraraka suggested “spying? Maybe setting up surveillance around one or both of them?”  

“It would have to be basic eye observations. Any sort of planted devices are illegal without warrant,” Yaoyorozu reminded the group. "Which we won't get if she's well connected."

“There is a surefire way to get answers,” Togota said suggestively looking at Shinsou.  

The mind-control hero tilted his head. “Yeah, I could get them if I could get close enough. But if either of them are really the top villains right now they’ll already know who I am and what I can do. They’ll see it coming a mile away.”  

“Azamuku will definitely see it coming. She convinced the mayor to lift the ban on quirk use in public during the attack a few months ago. I know she stays up-to-date with everything in the hero community. What we need...is to find a way inside,” Midoriya thought out loud. “Something they won’t be expecting.”  

“No shit, nerd,” grumbled Bakugo.  

Silence fell as the mass of heroes considered the options. Shouto’s head throbbed with his pulse, sensing what was coming before it happened.  

“I can do it,” offered Ani. She blushed when the whole crowed turned to her. "I’ve already spoken to her before since I’m volunteering in her hospital...even though she knows my connections I might have the best chance at figuring something out.”  

“Something like what?” Bakugo asked aggressively from across the room.  

Ani ignored him. “If I can get a parasite from her it will be proof that she’s been the one messing around with people and—with my regeneration—there's a chance I’ll be able to remain lucid under its control and be able to get something out of it.”  

“Okay, that’s certainly an option,” Nezu pointed out.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

With a few calls they were able to figure out which car belonged to the director. And sure enough, as Ani predicted, the woman came striding across the concrete not long after they were in position. She was halfway to her vehicle when Ani stepped out.  

“Mrs. Azamuku,” she gently said.  

The woman jumped back, startled and held her car keys out like a weapon until she realized it was Ani.  

"Miss Shida." Her expression stoned over. “I hope I’m not going to have a restraining order put against you.”  

She started to stride away and Ani called out “I wanted to apologize.”  

The director paused, the click of her heels stopping abruptly.  

“For what?” she asked with a glance over her shoulder.  

Ani scrambled for the words. “I...I didn’t mean to imply you were involved with everything your cou—with everything that Rua and Ryoshi did, including those things with Hogo Sareta.” The director pursed her lips. Ani bowed from her waist. “I’m sorry.”  

“Well.” Her voice was crisp, unprepared for this. “Thank you, but obviously this doesn’t change the fact that you’re not allowed back in the hospital.”  

A thought occurred to Ani.  

What if...what if the director had never wanted to be involved with any of this?  

She left Dagoben when her son was attacked...and the trouble only seemed to follow her here... 

“Mrs. Azamuku!” Ani asked, unbending in a flash before she could walk away. “If...if you’re in trouble,” Ani warily offered. “You can tell me...we can help you.”  

The director’s expression became guarded. “I have to go, Miss Shida.”  

“Wait!” Ani called after her but the director didn’t stop this time. Ani took a leap of faith. “I know you’re the one laying the parasites—”  

The director walked faster, they were almost to her car now.  

“—A-and if you’re being forced to do it, just tell me. I want to help you! We can protect you!”  

Her car was only a few steps away.  

“You don’t have to do this!” Ani chased after her. “You don’t have to hurt anyone else!”  

 

 

 

 

 

“Oi. Half-and-half,” whispered Katsuki from their hidden spot.  

Shouto softly grunted in response, not wanting to miss what was being said between Ani and the other woman as their voices were getting farther away. 

“Isn’t it weird...to you...”  

The suspicion in Katsuki’s voice was enough to pull more attention from Shouto.  

“...that all those people lost their quirks in the hospital ?”  

Shouto’s brow dipped as he weighed Katsuki’s words and then it hit him as Katsuki said “because we’ve been keeping tabs on that maniac this whole time.”  

“And he hasn’t been anywhere near the hospital.” Shouto’s eyes widened in horror. He heard Ani’s voice calling after the director as if she were chasing after her. 

 

 

 

 

The director was reaching for the handle and Ani was getting desperate. Her last chance was slipping away.  “You can stop—”  

The director whipped around and stared into her eyes, only inches apart, as time spread out making each second feel like a lifetime as fire blossomed in Ani’s core... 

Searing pain…from the knife stabbed into her stomach… 

“Wh-hy?” Ani’s voice cracked on the question as the director twisted the knife and pushed it in. The stab wound was getting deeper and deeper. Warm blood flowed from her body, absorbed by her scrubs. The director shoved Ani back sending her to the ground as she quickly repocketed her knife, leaving the nurse bleeding on the concrete.  

With contempt the director looked down and answered “you’ll find out soon enough.”  

Ani heard her name with the familiar sound of crackling ice—the ice exploded. Shouto was rushing toward her but his eyes shifted from Ani to the director as ice streaked in the wrong direction and Shouto was entombed in his own frozen crystals.  

If Ani could catch her breath she would have screamed.  

Azamuku inhaled deeply through her nostrils and her eyes blazed. “Such power. Such a waste.”  

A tunnel formed in Ani’s mind as she clutched her stomach and saw the bright red blood soaking her clothes. The truth—maybe blood loss—was making her dizzy. The director smirked victoriously down at Ani and turned to climb into her car when green light zipped through the air and shattered Shouto’s icy cocoon.  

He fell to the ground clutching his neck, gasping for breath as Midoriya appeared between Ani and the director. Ani dragged herself along the pavement to Shouto.  

Midoriya’s chest was heaving. He grinned at the director after moment. “Nice try. But you won’t be able to take it from me.”  

“Nehh?” Azamuku asked, her normally cordial tone devolved into a scornful one. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”  

“Give their powers back!” Midoriya shouted, having already put the pieces together. Shouto stumbled forward, reaching Ani.  

Azamuku smirked, unphased. “No.”  

Power swirled around Midoriya as he prepared to fight.  

“M-Midoriya, don’t!” called Ani with a raspy voice. “She’ll f-frame you! Ha-Have you arrested!” 

“There are worse things Shida-chan!”  

“You should listen to your friend,” the director encouraged with a hand on her hip. “This won’t end well for you if you really want to fight. Besides, she’s not looking too good.”  

Midoriya and Shouto’s eyes both reflexively fell to Ani’s ghostly white face. Azamuku turned and opened her car door.  

“Behave little heroes,” she condescendingly called out, sliding into her seat. “Or this won’t end well for any of you!”  

In Midoriya’s hesitation she peeled out, leaving them behind.  

“Midoriya, pull yourself together!” Shouto yelled to the jade-haired hero who looked like he was going to pull his own hair own. “We need to get help for Ani!”  

The natural strength in Shouto’s body was still more than enough to lift Ani from the ground but he could sense it. His thoughts were dispelled with the cry of pain. Tremors rocked Ani’s body as more blood oozed out of her gut. 

“What do we do?!” demanded Midoriya. “We can’t take her to the hospital that woman controls and she won't make it to Dagoben!”  

“My agency,” said Shouto. “Take her to my agency—we have stockpiles of her blood and an operating room.”  

Katsuki joined them as Shouto gingerly handed Ani over to Midoriya.  

“I’ll be there as soon as I can, okay?” Shouto said and tenderly cupped her cheek. She nodded weakly with glassy eyes. He stepped back as Midoriya and Ani disappeared in a swirl of dust. He called Dojire—the assistant could assemble the entire team at the drop of a hat and he needed that now more than ever—and headed for the stairwell. By the time he was at the bottom everything was arranged. Midoriya had already made it there with Ani and she was inside the agency, headed to the operating room.  

Shouto’s mind was focused on only one thing so when he reached the bottom of the stairwell he’d forgotten Katsuki was with him.  

“Oi.”  

Shouto paused, hand on the door, and looked over his shoulder at Katsuki who had stopped at the top of the last set of stairs.  

“Aren’t you going to say anything to me, you damn half-and-half bastard?” His voice was dark with anger.  

Shouto stared up at the fuming man and said nothing.  

“Say it!” roared the ash-blonde with clenched, smoking fists. “CALL ME A DAMN COWARD BECAUSE I STAYED BEHIND!”  

I made a decision for myself, Bakugo. It’s not my place to comment on yours.” Shouto’s two-toned eyes were hard. “We have to get back to my agency.”  

The raging pro-hero shot down the stairs and Shouto stepped back so he wouldn’t be scorched. Katsuki grabbed Shouto’s hero uniform.  

“SAY IT!”  

Though Shouto could see the tears forming in the corner of Bakugo’s eyes he didn’t point it out.  

“SAY IT!”  

Heat coursed through the fabric as Bakugo inched closer and closer to his breaking point. Shouto stoically met his eye and dispassionately offered “it’s something you’ll say enough to yourself.”  

Bakugo slowly released the red-white head and pushed his fists against his own eyes.  

“Come on. We have to get back,” Shouto repeated. When the ash-blonde didn’t follow him to the door Shouto forced himself with humble reservation to say it out loud. “I need you act like everything is normal and walk with me, Bakugo. I lost my quirk.”  

 

Chapter 141: Vulnerable

Chapter Text

Aino was waved through security, Hana having already secured his clearance and they rushed to the elevator M.I. was holding open.  

“Is she—”  

“She’s awake now,” Hana answered without hesitation. “But she doesn’t want to see anyone.”  

Aino clenched his jaw at the unexpected dismissal. He wasn’t sure he could honor that wish. The man in charge of Shouto’s Musutafu clinic—Chojen, Hana reminded him—was standing in the hallway talking to Katsuki; they both looked up when the elevator opened. Aino ignored the rest of the people gathered around.  

“How is she?” Aino asked Chojen and looked inside. In the farthest hospital bed Ani laid with her back to the door. Shouto was the only one inside, sitting next to her bed.  

Chojen reported her injuries. Warily Aino asked “...is...is it true? ...Did she lose her regeneration?”  

“Yes,” answered Chojen, though his expression and the reaction of everyone else in the hall was answer enough.  

Aino watched the bag of her blood—the thick, dark regenerative blood—drip through an IV and put his hand on the glass. “Ani...”  

 

 

 

 

 

 

Katsuki found it easy to ignore everyone else especially when no one wanted anything from him. Including Ani.  

Anger crackled through his veins. If anyone noticed that Ani didn’t ask for him, they were smart enough not to say it. Deku had been smart enough not to question him about anything. He watched Shouto climb into bed and wrap his arms around Ani; Katsuki’s arms flexed subconsciously. Something had been changing for a while...he did his best to ignore it, hoping he was wrong...but after today...he felt the rift become real. 

 

“And he hasn’t been anywhere near the hospital.”  

 

Katsuki and Shouto realized at the same moment that the director wasn’t the humanoid-wasp from Toga’s memory. It was an assumption they made without bothering to confirm it with the villain herself.  

Instead, the director had been the person who boldly threatened Shigaraki.  

Who met him head-on and took All-For- One .  

It meant so many things, changed so many things but in that moment...the single most important thing that changed...was that Ani was ignorantly charging right up to the devil herself.  

Shouto and Katsuki both knew this.  

They both knew what was going to happen.  

And only Shouto reacted.  

Katsuki stayed behind.  

In that split second, the decision was made and the difference became clear. 

Katsuki stared through the glass of the clinic and wondered if she felt it, too.  

There was a steady stream of people who began arriving at the agency. Aino...then Togota, Amajiki, Shinsou, and Kendo...Mina and Kirishima...even Uraraka and Iida Tenya...everyone gathering to see how Ani was doing. Katsuki thought it was pointless for all of them to come here. They could have learned what they wanted to know over the phone.  

Shouto’s frazzled assistant encouraged everyone to a different part of the building so Ani could have quiet and rest.  

“You coming?” Kirishima asked his best friend.  

Katsuki gave one last long look through the glass. He could see the gentle shake of Ani’s shoulders...the pained set of Shouto’s features. She was crying...suffering...and there was nothing he could do.  

“Yeah.”  

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Dr. Shida.”  

Aino turned to see the younger Iida approaching him in the conference room with a young, smiling brunette.  

“This is my friend and fellow pro hero Uravity—”  

“Please, call me Uraraka,” she interjected kindly.  

“Uraraka,” replied Aino. “Nice to meet you.”  

“And to meet you,” she said and dipped her head. “Iida-kun was telling me that you’re Shida-san's older brother...you must be really worried about your sister.”  

Aino nodded. “I am.” Hana appeared at his side to comfortingly take his hand.  

“I wanted to tell you that Midoriya Izuku, the pro hero called Deku?” She continued when Aino nodded, knowing the name. “One of his sidekicks can help Ani get her quirk back.”  

Aino’s eyes bulged. “Does Ani know?!” He was ready to spring into action but Iida and Uraraka waved their hands.  

“Yes!” Iida assured him.  

Uraraka added “when she’s well enough to travel Todoroki-kun is going to take Shida-san to see her.”  

“Where are they going?”  

“I’m afraid her location has to be kept secret.” Uraraka frowned apologetically. “Her ability is as valuable to the hero community as Shida-san's. Izuku secured a safe place for her before all of this began.”  

Aino understood. “And you trust her? To help Ani?”  

“Absolutely.” Deku appeared behind Uraraka and Iida; drawing the surgeon’s attention. “She’s the one who can get Ani her power back.”  

Aino had so many questions.  

“Dr. Shida?” Uraraka asked, sensing his distress. “Is something wrong?”  

“I...I don’t mean to be rude...but as her older brother I can’t help but fear your motivation to help her is out of self-interest.”  

Midoriya’s eyes widened and he stepped up in front of the surgeon with both fists clenched. He passionately argued “not at all! She’s a valued hero not because of what she can do with her quirk but because she chose to do it! We want to help Shida-san because of everything she’s done for us! This is a small thing we can do to repay her!”  

Aino weighed Midoriya’s words. “I understand...Please take no offense. I just—”  

“You care for your sister.” Midoriya gave him an intense smile. “There’s nothing wrong with that at all.”  

Aino nodded.  

A moment later the door opened. Shouto’s name was called out from every corner of the conference room and he tiredly acknowledged everyone at once.  

“Ani’s recovering well though she’s fallen back asleep. Thank you all for coming. There’s nothing we can do for her right now so please return home and take care of yourselves. Let’s stay in communication and stay strong. The tide has only begun to rise.”  

Katsuki was one of the first to leave. Aino watched the two pro heroes exchange an odd look and waited patiently as everyone else wanted to say something to their number one hero. Aino stayed until he and Deku were the only ones left.  

“Aino...” Shouto said tiredly. “I’m sorry you came all this way and didn’t get to talk to her.”  

“It’s disappointing,” sighed the surgeon. “But...I’ll try to respect it if she really doesn’t want to see anyone right now. Just...tell her I stopped by. And to call me, whenever her phone is charged,” he grumbled.  

Shouto smirked without his usual enthusiasm. “I will.”  

“Take care of her.” Aino looked between the two pro heroes left. “I mean it.”  

“We will,” Midoriya assured him.  

He placed a hand on Shouto’s shoulder and went out to meet Hana.  

 

 

 

Shouto waited until the surgeon was gone to turn to his old friend. “Chojen said Ani will be okay to travel in the morning.”  

Midoriya nodded. “We’ll leave as soon as she’s ready.”  

“Thank you, Midoriya.”  

The jade-head studied his old friend. “Have you told anyone else?”  

“No.” Shouto’s eyes pressed tightly shut. Midoriya nodded. 

“I understand. If there’s anything I can do before we leave, please let me know.” He squeezed Shouto’s shoulder as he walked past.  

“Thank you.”  

Shouto stood alone in the conference room and stared down into his own hands, slowly flexing his fingers. Part of him was trying to process being in this body without his quirk and the other part, the more disciplined part of himself, directed all his energy into fixing this.

Chapter 142: Evolving

Chapter Text

Ani felt limp, eyes unfocused and mind drifting. An emptiness had opened inside her that she’d never felt before. Pain pulsed hot and slowly through her chased by a strange, distant feeling. She recognized it as regeneration— her regeneration—but it was untouchable. She was an outsider to the temporary power that she could trace as it traveled through her.  

The memory played and replayed in her mind: the moment she’d fallen to the ground. The director’s distant and cold voice. The realization that she wasn’t laying the parasites for the holder of All-For-One…she was the holder of All For One. And the roots of regeneration were ripped from the fibers of her being as Azamuku took it from her. It left her feeling frayed. Torn and ragged. 

Just like Nezu said, the director didn’t stay to gloat or relish in her victory unlike most other villains. She left without a monologue as so many others didn't and it left too many questions behind.  

Ani doubted there was anything she could have done differently. And at least now they knew for sure. Part of Ani recognized there was some good that came from it. They had proof: a record of her quirk loss, the time, the location, from the tracking bracelet but she was too numb to appreciate it. A darker part of her wondered if the proof would actually amount to anything. 

Ani thought she had done everything she could to prepare herself for acting as the bait…she knew now that nothing could have truly prepared her for what happened.  

She was defined by what she could do. And that had always been directly linked to her quirk. 

Aino’s voice fought for space in her mind.  

 

Your quirk is only a tool   

 

The words echoed through the numb emptiness within her. It wasn’t just a tool. It was a blessing. A thin veil of assurance that she could survive so much more than anyone else which established a fearlessness deep within her. A fearlessness that was now gone giving way to a terrible vulnerability. She was afraid to move. Anxiety well up within her at all the ways she could be hurt or injured or sick.  

It was followed by shame.  

Everyone around her lived this way and they never let their ‘vulnerability’ hold them back.  

“Oi. Are you really going to pretend like I’m not here?”  

The heart monitor announced the startled jump of her heart and her eyes flicked to Katsuki angrily standing by the end of her bed. She couldn’t read the expression in his eyes and realized...she had never been able to.  

She looked at the ceiling...tears pricked at her eyes.  

There were moments in every relationship that marked an evolution of each person, sometimes as a pair...other times individually. Sometimes the moments are significant, easily picked out from the long string of moments together. Others are small, seemingly unidentifiable shifts that occur gradually like grains of sand passing through an hourglass.  

“No,” replied Ani. “I’m not trying to. I’m just tired.”  

 

 

Katsuki stared at the girl in bed feeling the space between them growing further and further apart as if a chasm was opening up in the clinic’s floor. He believed her words but knew there was more she wasn’t saying.  

“Katsuki,” started Ani quietly. “Do things feel different between us?”        

A vice clenched around his heart. “Yeah.”  

 

 

 

Those elusive feelings Ani had been experiencing in the quiet moments with Shouto, Katsuki, or both of them finally settled.  

And she had promised.  

She promised both Shouto and Katsuki that when she understood her feelings she wouldn’t keep them from either party. But fuck. This was hard.  

How the hell was she going to put this into words?!  

“Spare me the niceties, goldilocks and just spit it out,” he said gruffly.  

Her eyes fell to his. “It’s time. I can’t keep doing this.”  

 

 

“Tch.” He felt his features contort into an angry expression that he didn’t want to contain. After all the times he had chosen to help instead of take advantage of her vulnerabilities—well, more like the goddamned icy-hot's vulnerabilities—and was an honorable person...the fucking half-and-half bastard threw him under the bus. “He couldn’t wait to tell you could he?”  

 

 

Ani’s brow furrowed; she held Katsuki’s angry red stare though it was saturated with betrayal. “What?”  

“That goddamned icy-hot bastard!” He clenched his fists. “This is because of what happened, isn’t it?!”  

Confusion sank into Ani. She tried to stay focused as pain pulsed through her abdomen and fatigue pulled at her consciousness. Not now. She couldn’t succumb to sleep now, she had to get the words out.  

“I...I don’t know what you’re talking about,” said Ani. “Shouto hasn’t said anything to me.” Confused hope flickered through the ash-blonde's eyes, disappearing as she said “he doesn’t even know that I’m doing this.”  

“Doing what exactly?”  

She forced herself not to look away. “I’m ending what we have between us.” It was clear he understood: only what was between the two of them. Not her and Shouto.  

“So you don’t love me anymore?” He asked flatly.  

Her gaze fell. “Of course I do.”  

“Don’t want me around?” He challenged hotly. When she stayed quiet, he pressed on. “I don’t mean anything anymore?” His voice was rising. “Everything we’ve been through? Don’t care about me anymore? Not going to miss me?!”  

“Of course I’m going to miss you!” snapped Ani in a rare slip of defensiveness; she winced in pain. After a deep breath she admitted “I will miss you for the rest of my life—”  

“—then why!—” 

“—but I can live without you.” She stopped his interruption, locking eyes with him. “I will love you for the rest of my life. But it’s a love that I don’t need to survive.” Fearing the words would break him, forcing them out anyway in respect for him she said “you’re my best friend, Katsuki. And I can’t string you along anymore.”  

His face hardened. He wasn’t boiling over with anger but rigidifying as the ties between them were severed.  

“You’re no one’s second choice. You’re Bakugo Katsuki.” She willed him to hold onto the words, to someday understand and maybe even accept them. “You want to take the first to end all firsts, don’t you?”  

His jaw clenched with recognition at his own quote. Ani let the words fall between them, having no idea how he was going to react. To her extreme surprise he calmly said “well, it was fun while it lasted, goldilocks.”  

 

 

 

 

He watched as she tried not to let her eyes bulge. “Wh-what?” she said, eyeing him incredulously. “You’re not...mad?...Upset?”  

“Tch.” With a smirk he answered “why would I be mad when I don’t have to waste my time with a bunch of extras anymore?”  

Ani’s eyes hollowed. She wasn’t hurt by his words but he could see she understood he was just trying to distance himself from her. From everything he was feeling. All she said was “yeah.”  

Katsuki turned, not trusting himself to stay in control for much longer, and the words slipped out on their own. “I found your letter.”  

“My letter?” Ani asked from the bed.  

The hand-written words rolled before his eyes again. “The letter you wrote to the half-and-half when you were in jail.”  

Silence echoed from behind him.  

 

 

 

 

Ani stared at the back of Bakugo’s head. “Wh-when? Where?”  

“Eh. A few weeks ago, I guess.” He still didn’t turn around. “It fell out of the bastard’s bag one night.”  

Ani’s mind was racing. Shouto...Shouto kept that letter? Her heart was pounding—she was embarrassed someone else read those words, she felt guilty that Bakugo had seen them and was clearly bothered by it and didn’t even know how to feel about Shouto carrying it around. He never said anything to her about it after the trial! Why was he carrying it around with him?!  

Bakugo sighed, breaking Ani’s spiral of thoughts. “I knew it was only a matter of time after I saw that.” He smirked over his shoulder. “Those are once-in-a-lifetime kind of letters.”  

“What do you mean?” Ani asked, brow still deeply furrowed.  

“Those are the kind of letters people only write to one person. And they’re the kind you only get once in a lifetime. I already got mine.” He grinned though she could see the hint of sadness in his eyes. “Hansha left me one.”  

Ani’s lips parted in surprise. She didn’t know what to say.  

 

 

Bakugo looked away, holding his head high to hide the pain of Hansha’s words.  

“Have fun with your lame-ass boyfriend,” he crowed with a snarky wave as he left.  

Though he burned the page to a crisp those words refused to be incinerated and had stayed with him. They would resurface inconveniently...in moments where Ani had said or done something that was so exactly Hansha. Or...had Hansha’s actions always been just like Ani’s?  

It didn’t matter. He’d tried to tell himself so many times. That it didn’t matter. Hansha was gone. Ani was giving him a chance. If he thought he was bad at feelings before, it was nothing compared to now. He had no idea how the fuck to separate all these things to make sense of them.  

The Todoroki Agency elevator doors opened and he was grateful it was empty. He flicked the ground floor button and sulkily leaned against the wall, glancing up in the last moment before the doors closed. He didn’t glower when he met the two-toned eyes and wasn’t curious how long the half-and-half had been standing there outside the clinic. All he knew was that when the doors closed, it was over.  

Chapter 143: Radio Silence

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Mrs. Azamuku , thank you for making time for us to come on our show with everything you’ve been going through.”  

She waved her hand politely. “ It’s no problem. Thank you for having me.  

“Of course. ” The host adjusted in her seat. “ I still can’t believe what we’ve seen in the past few days…You were attacked by the number one and two heroes, and a nurse—the UA nurse to be exact —because you caught Miss Shida , that nurse, erasing people’s quirks!”  

“Yes , truly devastating. ” The hospital director nodded solemnly and dabbed at her eyes with a tissue. “ I’ve spent my life helping people…And to see heroes who have pledged their lives' work to saving others acting this way is…It’s deplorable.”  

The camera cut back to the reporter sitting at a news desk. “A growing movement, sparked by the assault on Director Azamuku, is calling for severe reforms on the hero community and some extremists are even calling for the end of the hero-era and return the responsibility of public safety back to the police. Law makers from the city council and representatives from the Mayor’s office have refused to comment.  

“The Todoroki Agency has yet to issue a statement in response to the attack on Musutafu General’s director and has since withdrawn it’s patrolling presence in both Musutafu and Dagoben . With the dissolution of Deku, the number two hero’s agency not long ago, Musutafu police have reported a 14% increase in minor crimes compared to this time last year. Dagoben Police have yet to release a report on similar statistics and neither will report the numbers on violent crimes but the question to which we all want an answer is: where have our heroes gone?”  

Aino turned off the webcast and closed his laptop. Whispering to himself and staring out the window he asked “what’s taking you guys so long?”  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

 

 

Aves, M.I., and Flora waited in the agency lobby for Aino to finish talking to Shouto. They were anxious to leave but didn’t want to rush him...especially with Ani in the clinic.  

The surgeon looked tired. 

“Hey,” he greeted them quietly and took Aves’s hand.  

She gave it a squeeze as M.I. said “it was nice to see you again, Dr. Shida.” To Aves he quietly said “we’ll be outside.”  

Aino’s brow furrowed. “Is something wrong?” he asked as two of the sidekicks walked away.  

“No,” Aves answered with a rapid shake of her head that stopped as suddenly as it started. “Well. No. Nothing’s wrong as in a problem but I have to go away for a few days which feels wrong to leave you like this with Ani’s current condition and I feel terribly guilty about it but there’s a time-sensitive—”  

Aino gently cupped her cheeks with a comforting smile. “It’s okay.” His thumbs stroked her shimmery skin. “I know you wouldn’t disappear for something trivial. Where are you going?”  

Her face screwed up tight. 

“When will you be back?” he asked. She kept her lips pinched, not trusting herself to hold in the details. Aino sighed, unsurprised. “M.I. and Flora are going with you?”  

She took a deep breath and risked answering. “Yes. And since it’s work-related, I won’t be able to call. I’m sorry, Aino.”  

He couldn’t hide the disappointing sag of his shoulders. “Be safe...okay? And let me know when you’re back.”  

“Of course,” she said instantly and threw her arms over his shoulders to give him a deep unabashed kiss that made him blush. She was beaming when she pulled back and gave him another quick peck before flitting out the door to the other two sidekicks patiently waiting.  

Aino found himself smiling and sending his heart after her as they ran off.  

 

Aves, Flora, and M.I. slid into the Todoroki Agency vehicle filled with supplies—snacks, overnight bags, portable chargers, everything they would need for a road trip. The three of them knew they were technically going out on assignment, but it was impossible for three people who had been friends for so long not to have fun together with so much time ina  car.  

Their destination? 

They weren’t sure. They had a vague direction in mind to go with their mission and would need to do some exploring to find that for which they were looking.  

Several months prior, when Ani had been kidnapped and held hostage, she appeared briefly in a cabin. A cabin which this group, plus Shouto and his intern, had investigated and triggered an alarm which resulted in M.I.’s abduction and torture as well. At the time, the focus for the agency had been entirely on their safe return so no one gave much thought to the cabin itself.  

Why there? 

The question surfaced in M.I.’s mind at some point. He didn’t think much of it at first, given the resolved conflict but over time curiosity began to prickle the back of his mind. And then the League escaped from Tartarus. He wondered if they might return to that place, whatever it was; he brought it up to Shouto who gave him approval to look into it. Cipher was preoccupied which left M.I. to do research on his own and his research attempts proved unfruitful. The town clerks he spoke to over the phone had been woefully unhelpful and he really needed to just go back there to the small town and look through town records himself. He also wanted to interview residents. Gossip and local tales often had an element of truth to them. There had to be someone, somewhere who knew something or heard something about the abandoned cottage.  

After months of being gnawed by curiosity he finally set out with two of his teammates to figure it out. He didn’t know how long it would take to find answers but something told him he needed to know. 

They interviewed people, listened to anyone who would talk, and looked at endless property records and town documents for the cabin’s history of which there was little to find. Abandoned cabin. Far in the woods. Hardly anyone had even seen it, save for a group of high schoolers who quietly bragged about hiking up to it once. They were embarrassed to admit they had been too scared to actually go in it—a blessing, really, though they didn’t know. The children’s grandmother came out of the shop and admonished them to go home and do their homework. She invited the sidekicks in for tea. She confirmed she’d seen the cabin once but there was a stigma surrounding it in the town...which was probably why they had not heard much.  

The cabin was built by a wealthy family as a weekend retreat. They visited occasionally and when they did, they kept to themselves without venturing into town unless there was a need. They had two children who would come with them but one time the children arrived on their own. The old woman had been a young girl at the time and remembered the town elders fearing for the children’s safety, being up there all alone. So, a group of them went into the woods but when they got there they found one of the children’s dead bodies; the other child was nowhere to be seen.  

There was no sign of the second child after scouring the mountain for a few days and by that time the townspeople were understandably spooked. For a long time, no one would go into the woods. No one wanted to talk about what happened at all...but as time passed and people grew older, the elders passed away, the story faded from the town’s memory. It became a forgotten place and those who remembered it wouldn’t talk about it. All that lingered was the unease surrounding the entire mountain. The old woman apologized, not sure that her story helped them at all since they'd already been to the cabin. As they were trying to reassure her it was very helpful the old woman’s son came into the shop with a disapproving glare for his mother.  

“You’ll have to forgive her for rambling,” the man said as he ushered the three sidekicks outside. “She’s told me that same crazy story and she’s told my kids, too, which of course was like daring them to go up there.”  

“So you don’t believe any of it?” asked Aves.  

The man shrugged. “It’s an abandoned cabin. If something truly horrific like that happened up there, there would have been reporters swarming the town but there’s nothing. No record of anything like that ever happening. My mother’s told countless empty stories my whole life. The haunted temple, the abandoned cabin.” He shook his head and rolled his eyes. “She’s lucky we don’t have a nursing home in town.”  

Aves was about to open her mouth to ask a question when Flora placed a hand on her arm and spoke for the group. “Thank you for your time, sir. We’re sorry to have bothered you and your mother. I hope we didn’t cause any trouble for you.”  

“No, no.” He waved it off. “We’re the ones to have troubled you. Take care and don’t give her stories anymore thought.”  

“Of course,” said Flora with a nod. The man turned back to his family’s shop and the three sidekicks quickly strode away.  

“Haunted temple?” whispered Aves. “Why didn’t you let me ask about that?!”  

“Because he clearly doesn’t believe any of it and wouldn’t have indulged us,” Flora explained under her breath. “All this time we’ve been looking through records for a cabin. If there’s been anything about a temple, we wouldn’t have noticed.”  

They retraced their steps through town documents to the irritation of the town clerks and sure enough. Long ago a temple had been built deep in the mountains, but it had been so hard to get to people stopped going there. The last time someone had been there—on official record for a town census—was over a hundred years ago.  

All they could find about the temple’s location was a crude map that M.I. copied.  

“How long do you think it will take us to get there?” asked Aves. After posing the question to some of the vegetation in the forest Flora guessed about eight hours.  

“So we won’t be able to hike in and out in one day. At least, not without getting exhausted,” M.I. thought out loud.  

“We should leave in the middle of the night.”  

M.I. and Flora’s heads whipped to Aves.  

She repeated herself with conviction. “We should leave in the middle of the night. Not many people around...no one to ask questions about where we’re going or why...” She nodded. “Then we’ll make it to the temple when it’s light out, explore during the day, and start to head back if we don’t want to spend the night.”  

The three agreed and snuck out with ease, navigating the shadows of the town until they slipped into the dark woods. With nocturnal birds to guide them, they navigated the tricky terrain as swiftly as they could. They were already tired when the sun rose.  

By mid-day their packs were heavy and their backs were sore.  

“We’re almost there,” whispered Flora. 

M.I. frowned and asked in a whisper “why are you acting like there’s someone else here?”  

“Because there is...” she admitted, warily meeting the eyes of her friends. “We’re not alone.”  

The proceeded cautiously and came upon a stone staircase crumbling apart. Not trusting the steps they hiked the steep slope on the side. The path twisted and turned as it wound through the thick forest and it was easy to understand why the temple had been abandoned.  

A mossy, vine-covered sign marked the entrance.  

“...Temple of the Rising Sun...” whispered Flora as she gently lifted the vines. The three sidekicks looked up. Buildings in various stages of decay framed a small, well-maintained clearing in the woods.  

“Flora,” whispered M.I. “...Can you tell who else is here?”  

She shook her head no. “I can’t...”  

“A g-ghost?” whimpered Aves, starting to tremble. A stick snapped behind one of the buildings and Aves screamed; M.I. jumped.  

“Stop screaming!” screamed a voice.  

Flora grabbed Aves’s backpack before she could shoot down the mountain. “Wait! Look!” The three of them turned to the sound of scuffing footsteps. Very real footsteps. A withered, shrimpy old woman stepped into sight.  

“It’s rude to scream in someone’s home, especially when you’re uninvited.”  

“Oh my gosh...” whispered Flora speechlessly and she covered her mouth.  

M.I. rubbed his eyes. “Someone actually lives up here?”  

“Yes, someone actually lives up here ,” the old woman said bitterly. She eyed them in irritation but sighed. “Alright. Come on in. Ya must be cold.”  

The three of them exchanged a wary glance and didn’t move.  

“Well?” snapped the woman looking over her shoulder as she walked toward one of the buildings. “You’re gonna come all this way and not come in?”  

Another glance at each other and they followed the old woman in. As decrepit as the outside was, the inside was well-maintained. They gaped around at the temple which had been converted into a home.  

“It’s so beautiful,” murmured Flora.  

Easing herself into a chair the woman said “thank you.” With a wave she gestured to the stove. “Put a kettle on, will you?”  

Flora nodded and did as she was asked.  

“You there.” The old woman pointed a finger at M.I. “Drag over that bench and you,” to Aves “go get some smoked meat from my cupboard.”  

Though they all knew the old woman was capable of doing these things herself—evident in the state of her home—they respectfully complied with her requests. Four steaming mugs of tea, a small plate of venison jerky, once arranged the old woman invited the three of them to sit with her.  

“So.” She narrowed her eyes at the three of them. “I know you didn’t just wander into this place. State your business.”  

Exhausted from the long hike and unexpected discovery it took the group a moment to remember why they had come.  

“We’re here,” said M.I. “because we’re trying to solve a mystery.”  

The old woman snorted. “What mystery?”  

“We’re trying to find the family who owns the cabin down the mountain,” offered M.I.  

“You overshot, if you’re looking for the cabin.”  

M.I. shook his head. “We’ve already been there,” he said quietly and his eyes fell to the table. “We...There...Our friend was kidnapped...And the people who held her sent her to the cabin for a very brief moment. When we tried to look for her there, I was attacked and taken, too.”  

“Taken... how ?” The old woman asked with a twisting suspicion in her voice. M.I. met her steely gaze.  

“With a warp-gate.”  

“So they came back...” whispered the old woman and her eyes unfocused.  

Flora leaned forward and gently asked “who?”

 

“The people who killed my brother.”  

 

“Your-your brother?” asked Aves with a gasp. 

She simply nodded.  

The three sidekicks stared at the old woman, shocked to realize: she was the girl from the cabin’s legend.  

“Who killed your brother?” M.I.’s throat was so dry his voice almost cracked.  

The old woman’s posture slowly straightened. “What’s it to you?”  

“I don’t know,” M.I. answered honestly. He let out an exasperated laugh. “I was just trying to find out why Kurogiri would use that cabin of all places and I haven’t been able to find anything. I’m chasing loose threads!”  

The old woman stared at him with wide, shocked eyes. “What did you just say?”  

“I..I said...” His eyes flicked around.  

“What did you call him?”  

“Kurogiri?” M.I. stared blankly at her. “Why?”  

“That was my brother’s name,” the old woman said. “I can’t believe...after they killed him and took his quirk, they took his name, too.”  

“Took his quirk?” Flora asked, mouth falling open. “You mean he was—”  

“A warp-gate user, yes.” The old woman answered sadly. “When the criminal underground caught wind of what he could do, they targeted him...trying to get him to join their organization. My parents tried to hide us from them to keep us safe...but they found us...”  

“The cabin,” whispered M.I. and she nodded.  

Her eyes flashed with the painful memory. “As soon as we realized what happened my brother sent me here...where I’ve been ever since.”  

“How did you know your brother died?” asked Aves.  

“My quirk.” She wiped away the stray moisture at her eyes. “My brother and I...we were twins. Our mother always said that nature separated us into twins because we would’ve been too powerful as one. Kurogiri could open gates but he had to know where and when. With my quirk I can see through time.” She sniffled. “We weren’t strong enough or well-practiced enough to use them in tandem yet and my brother’s quirk had a visible aspect...So the people who came after him didn’t know what I could do.” 

M.I.’s eyes widened. “So...If they had both of those quirks together...”  

The old woman nodded. “They could have travelled through time.”  

A cold shiver of realization passed over the three sidekicks. Kurogiri had always been an asset to the League of Villains. No one ever thought they could have bene infinitely more powerful.  

“I stayed here, hoping they wouldn’t find out what I could do and come looking for me.”  

“But, if you can see through time, couldn’t you just look ahead and know for sure?”  

The old woman slowly shook her head. “Time is not linear. Time is like the sea. It broils and shifts, churning into itself over and over again. So looking into the future is nearly impossible. I can see if someone is still alive, and where they are, or—if I can find a connection—I can look into the past.”  

“If you can find a connection?” asked M.I.  

“Think of it like a whale hearing a song and being able to trace it back to the other whale.”  

“So when your brother died...you could sense it,” surmised Aves.  

“Exactly,” the old woman sadly confirmed. “I can’t communicate over time or do anything if I find someone...Kurogiri was the compliment to that.”  

“The people who killed your brother...I don’t know if you’ve ever tried to feel for them but...they’ve died,” Flora quietly offered.  

“And my brother’s quirk?”  

“It’s gone, too. Our friend—the one who was kidnapped—killed the person who was using it.”  

The old woman harumphed. “The person who took my brother’s quirk the first time could have taken it before that person died and given it to someone else.”  

“I don’t think so,” said M.I. with a shake of his head. “The other people there didn’t have a quirk that could do that. And the person who did wasn’t with them.”  

“But that quirk, the one that can give and take other people’s power...it still exists?”  

“Yes. Unfortunately.” M.I. rubbed the back of his neck. “And the person who has it, she’s trying to get rid of the heroes. My boss is currently dealing with that.”  

“Who’s your boss?”  

“Todoroki Shouto.”  

The old woman grunted “never heard of him. Though I can’t say I’ve kept up with the heroes.” She swirled her cup of tea, inspecting the three of them. “Well...I don’t suppose you’re in any condition to make it down the mountain without rest. You can spend the night here, if you’d like, and leave in the morning.”  

“Thank you,” they each said in turn with a bow of their heads. Just as she had directed them around before, she set them to work with various tasks to prepare a dinner large enough for all of them. They had plenty of questions for her about how she had survived up here by herself all this time and tried to answer her questions on what life was like in the outside world now.  

Sitting around the table for dinner, Kamagiri—as the old woman introduced herself—told them more about the ebb and flow of time. How complicated it was. How easily people could be lost trying to control it for themselves. They understood her reluctance to return to the populated world. There was too much potential for her quirk to be abused and taken advantage of by the selfish.   

Notes:

Yeah, I disappeared there for a bit, sorry! I started watching Haikyuu and have to admit I got sucked in but I didn't forget about this. Thanks for coming back after almost a month since my last update lol!

Chapter 144: Circling The Drain

Chapter Text

Ani flexed her fingers as she stared at her palm. Quirk back.

“Thank you Eri-chan,” Ani said gratefully.

She smiled back. “It’s my pleasure. I’m glad this is something I could help with.” In the blink of an eye she rewound Ani and Shouto. Body restored.

Ani felt back to normal except for the queasiness.

She joined Shouto on the top deck of Froppy’s ship and took his hand, trying to ignore the sea sickness. Stress and anxiety tightened the air around them. Neither spoke. What could either of them say about what they faced back at shore?

Shouto’s phone beeped. At a glance he saw it was Cipher; he opened the agency app and sucked in a tight breath.

“What’s wrong?” Ani asked.

He met her eye. “Azamuku doesn’t have a son.”

 

 

They gathered the other heroes on deck and shared the news.

“I don’t understand,” Midoriya said. “If she doesn’t have a son, then who did the League attack that day at the school?”

Shouto said “we don’t know yet. We can’t even find public records of her quirk.”

“Whose quirk?” asked one of Froppy’s sidekicks.

“Azamuku Cubozoa,” answered Shouto. “The director of Musutafu General Hospital.”

The sidekick frowned, creasing the scales of her face. “Cubozoa...like...the jellyfish?”

Everyone turned to her. Midoriya asked “a jellyfish?”

“It’s the name of a specific jellyfish,” the sidekick politely corrected. “It belongs to the Kingdom Animalia, Phylum Cnidaria, Subphylum Medusoza. A ‘box jellyfish’ to be exact.”

Froppy croaked. “She’s our marine life expert.”

“What does that mean?” Shouto asked.

Clearing her throat, the sidekick explained “the box jellyfish includes several species whose sting can prove fatal to humans.”

“That explains how she got All-For-One from Shigaraki,” Shouto thought out loud.

Midoriya joined him, cupping his chin. “The people involved with the last major attack on Musutafu...not the one woman but the other...the one who owned the gym...” his brow furrowed.

“Rua?” offered Ani.

“Yes,” Midoriya said with a snap of his fingers. “Wasn’t her quirk on record something weird to do with the ocean?”

Shouto quickly sent Cipher a question about it. “My team’s going to look into it.”

“E-excuse me,” Ani gingerly asked the sidekick. “Are there any ocean creatures that shoot poisonous spines?”

“Oh sure,” she answered enthusiastically. “There’s a ton of them!” She started to rattle off a list of species and interesting facts.

Shouto met her eye. “What are you thinking?"

“Another person working with Rua was that girl who could do the spikes,” she said and knew she didn’t need to say anymore. Shouto remembered. “What if...what if that’s not a coincidence? If they were all ocean-type quirks—”

“they could all be connected," finished Shouto.

Froppy’s sidekick interjected “hey, we don’t all know each other!” The group turned to her and she blushed cheekily. “I mean, yes a lot of us grow up around the ocean because of our parents’ quirks but that doesn’t mean a lot. There’s a lot of coastline!”

If Ani’s mind was racing—which it was—Shouto’s was travelling at light speed. He called Cipher, needing to collect information in real time. He stepped away from the group speaking urgently.

The rest of the group chatted quietly as they waited for Shouto come back and when he did…

“Cubozoa’s listed under a different name in the quirk registry and she doesn’t have a son under either name. Rua, the late owner of Illecium, was a likeness of a different person named Ryoshi with a quirk like—”

“An anglerfish!” the sidekick interjected with bright eyes then grimaced. “Okay, I do know her. But that’s only because her quirk was super cool: she could make an image of herself and have full control over it, see through it hear through it. Basically a suped-up lure on an anglerfish.”

The sidekick realized she’d blurted all that out and pressed her lips together guiltily.

Shouto cleared his throat. “Ryoshi was Cubozoa’s distant cousin. They were on a large number of sports teams together when they were younger which suggests they were close. My team needs to confirm this but there’s evidence to suggest Ryoshi was romantically involved with Hogo Sareta which incited a disagreement between the two cousins.”

“No wonder all of their messages sound so similar,” said Midoriya and others around the group nodded.

“Okay…so maybe Ryoshi and Cubozoa had a relative that put all these ideas in their head?” Froppy suggested. “And when Ryoshi met Hogo Sareta they just…clicked, kero? Already thinking the same way?”

Upon Shouto’s request Froppy led the group to the bridge and Cipher established a direct link so the group could talk freely with the Todoroki Agency’s team as they conducted their research.

“Everything looks pretty clean on Cubuzoa’s extended family,” shared Cipher. “Going back generation by generation now…” He shook his head. “No blemishes. No arrests. Not even a traffic ticket. This family is squeaky clean.”

“Damn,” Shouto muttered under his breath.

“Were they always an aquatic-quirk based family?” Ani asked at the risk of offending Froppy and her crew.

“Let us take a look…” Cipher said distractedly, his assistant already filtering through files. “No. It looks like three generations ago, Cubozoa’s great-grandfather divorced his wife and remarried into a marine-quirk based family…”

“Okay, divorce isn’t that rare. Even for back then,” noted Midoriya. The group began thinking in a different direction, asking Cipher and the T.A. team other questions but Ani’s mind caught on that detail for some reason.

When there was a lull, she spoke up. “Cipher? What was Cubozoa’s grandfather’s quirk? The one who married into the marine quirks?”

“Hm…” His team went back through their work. “The records are pretty vague. They list it simply as ‘temporal illusion.’”

“Perception of time…” murmured Ani.

“What are you thinking?” Shouto asked, seeing the concentration in her features.

Ani stepped closer to the console. “Cipher…why did he divorce his first wife? Is there any reason?”

Clicking his tongue, after a moment he answered “I don’t know. Records like that are usually closed, being so personal.”

“Is there anything strange or notable with his name surrounding that time or the time right before?”

Why was she so fixated on this one detail?

She couldn’t explain it but Shouto held other questions back, giving Ani’s curiosity a chance to be sated.

Cipher and the others at the agency talked in hushed whispers working over each other until a small ping caught their attention. Cipher’s eyes widened as if he was reading something startling.

“What is it?” Ani asked, growing uneasy.

“Before he divorced his wife…they had two children. They were enrolled in school and then…vanished.”

“Vanished?!” a few people asked at once.

“One of them did…the other, their son, died.”

 “Okay…so one of his children passes, the other disappears, the stress is too much for him and his wife…They divorce.” Midoriya began to pace. “He moves on, marries someone else, starts a new family. Would that really make him someone to brainwash his descendants?”

“Depends,” commented Shouto. “Is there anything else on what happened to the children from his first family?”

Cipher sucked his teeth. “No. It looks like the family buried the story. Neither child, Kamigiri or Kurogiri, was given an obituary.”

Silence dropped like a veil over the room.

“Kurogiri?” Midoirya asked incredulously and glanced at Shouto, Froppy who were stunned and gaping respectively.

“That has to be the Kurogiri…” Horror crystallized along Ani’s veins. “Either the same Kurogiri or the person targeted by All-For-One for his quirk…If they were targeted…and killed by All-For-One…”

“And heroes weren’t able to save his son…” Shouto added.

Midoriya’s jade eyes burned. “It would plant a seed of hatred deep enough to pass down generations.”

Chapter 145: All I Need

Chapter Text

“Okay…so we have the potential source of motivation. That doesn’t explain Cubozoa's real-but-not-real son,” pointed out Shouto. “Are there any family members along Cubozoa’s generation who had young children…Maybe left in Cubozoa’s custody after a tragedy?” 

Cipher listed out the family tree from Kurogiri’s father down through all the different branches connecting both Ryoshi and Cubozoa, no children who fit the proper age group. Froppy’s sidekick pointed out a unique quirk of what would have been Kurogiri’s half-brother.   

“He’s basically an immortal jellyfish.”   

Immortal ?” Shouto asked, voice dripping with skepticism.   

The sidekick nodded intensely. “When they undergo a lot of stress, they can revert back to an earlier stage in their life-cycle and can do it —as far as recorded science knows—in de finitely. It’s a really interesting result of one parent with a time-based quirk and the other, a marine one.”  

“So…it’s possible the boy Cubozoa was taking care of could have been her grandfather?” Ani was totally baffled by the prospect. She looked around. “But then…where is he now?”  

It’ll take some digging but we might be able to find a picture of him and run some image searches with age filters,” said Cipher. “That’s going to take some time.”   

“Do what you can,” instructed Shouto.   

Ani had drifted away to the windows watching the horizon dip and rise with the waves. As his team and Froppy’s thought out loud together he joined Ani.   

“Are you okay?” he asked, pulling her against him.   

She nodded and smiled weakly. “Yeah. It’s just...so strange.”   

“What is?”  

“Thinking about someone hating heroes so much they would spend their lives poisoning their childrens’ minds against heroes. Or spending multiple lifetimes, if Cubozoa’s grandfather is really still alive.”   

“Your opinion of heroes might be a little biased,” suggested Shouto with the hint of a smirk.   

Ani tried to hide her growing smile. “You’re probably right.” She sighed and rested her head on him. “Thank you, Sho.”   

“For what?” he asked.   

She wrapped her arms tightly around him. “For everything.”   

“Ani...” the sound of his voice drew her attention up to his face.   

She frowned. “What’s wrong?”   

Taking her hand, he peeled her away from the group back to the deck where all was quiet except for the crashing of waves against the ship. They stood together in the gentle sound for a long moment. Shouto’s hands held both of hers.   

“I’ve been waiting for a long time...I think longer than I’ve realized...” he swallowed thickly. “To tell you that I love you.”   

Ani smiled warmly. “Sho...” She noticed color brushing his cheeks and felt the soothing rub of his fingers on hers. The moment deepened.   

“The first time I met you...that night when I came to your apartment to thank you for saving my life...It was the first time I’d been overwhelmed by something someone else had done for me in a positive way. Most of my life to that point had been dictated by feelings of duty or a warped sense of responsibility. But you...You saved my life in a way no one else could, twice , before I ever met you. And that night when I came to thank you, I vividly remember seeing scabs and wounds all over your arms...evidence of saving someone else.” He smirked. “And when I actually tried to say the words ‘thank you’ it was clear you didn’t want the praise. You didn’t want the acclaim.  

“It was your philosophy: saving people to save them.” He continued with a tender smile. “Sitting with you...Eating dinner with you...I’d never been so affected by someone like I had by you that night. I didn't realize it then...but it was love. I was already in love with you. And in the weeks that followed, my heart would skip every time my phone went off, hoping it was you. Looking back, people at the agency noticed and made comments which might have been embarrassing if I hadn’t been so happy. I didn’t even realize I was acting so different...it felt so right. And for the first time in my life, I felt whole.  

“And since that first night I’ve meet you, through life and several brushes with death, time and time again no matter what has happened...you’ve been there through it all. Whether we’ve been right next to each other or worlds apart...I have always loved you with every part of myself and know I always will. And Ani...I’m going to love you forever ,” he said with a small chuckle as she laughed, remembering the words she'd said to him in the hospital several months ago. Tears lightly touched each of their eyes and Shouto squeezed her hands. “I meant to do this a lot sooner...and was always trying to make or wait for the perfect moment...”   

Ani’s breath caught in her throat.   

“But I know that all that I need is to be with you.” He dropped her hands and pulled something from his pocket.   

She began to tremble eyes widening, lips parting as he sank to one knee.   

“Shida Ani”   

Wind swirled around, tossing the two colors of his hair as time stopped.   

“Will you marry me?”   

 

 

 

Ani’s hands flew to her face as happiness soaked her soul and she sobbed, nodding her head furiously. She tried to wipe her cheeks clear and, through the sobs, cried “yes! YES!”   

The two colors of Shouto’s eyes lit up and he grinned in elation as she threw herself down on him, wrapping her arms around his neck. He scooped her up against himself and buried his face in her neck. With her own face still wet with happy tears, she cupped his cheeks and planted kiss after kiss on his lips until he cupped the back of her head and held her close for a long, loving one.   

“I love you, Ani, forever ,” he whispered against her lips and another happy sob wracked her frame.   

“I love you, Sho, forever.” She couldn’t stop beaming. They rested their foreheads together and a cheer erupted from behind them on the deck. Their heads whipped to the side and saw every window of the bridge overlooking the deck filled with bright facings waving and clapping and cheering for them. Ani grinned and waved back while Shouto gently set her down and nodded to their audience. Midoriya and Froppy urged everyone away from the windows, giving the pair a moment of privacy again.   

Ani was wiping her face and laughing; it was hard for Shouto not to smile with her.   

“Can I show you your ring?” he asked with a small laugh.   

“Oh, yeah,” she said and gave him a giddy kiss before looking at the small box he opened in his palm. Ani’s jaw dropped.   

“I wanted to give you the biggest, craziest ring I could find—”   

He lifted the thin, rose-gold band from soft velvet.   

“—but the clerk said it was better for the ring to represent the person.”   

He slid it onto her finger and she marveled at the small, delicate opal set between a small glittering ruby and sapphire.   

Ani’s eyes fell closed, unleashing a new torrent of tears. It fit perfect. Felt perfect. All the way through.   

“Thank you,” she said looking back up into his loving gaze. “It’s perfect.”   

He tried to stifle the satisfied, happy smile that fought it’s way into his expression. “I’m glad.”   

“Thank you Sho,” she said again, holding his gaze and lacing her fingers with his. “For everything .”   

Chapter 146: A Wrinkle In Time

Chapter Text

In the few short days Kamagiri had become accustomed to the sidekick’s company. They’d been kind enough to stay and help her with a few projects she hadn’t been able to handle on her own and she knew she was going to miss them—the first friends she’d made in decades—when they left. She looked up from the evening meal and their conversation paused, catching the strange look in her eye.  

It had been so long since she’d become so in tune to other people that the feeling of her quirk was foreign. So strange she almost missed it.  

“Kamagiri-chan?” M.I. asked kindly. “Is something wrong?”  

She forced the words out of her dry throat. “The three of you need to leave. You need to get back to where you need to be.”  

M.I.’s eyes widened and Flora stiffened.  

“What? Why?!” Aves asked with unmasked disappointment.  

The old woman nearly trembled and felt tears dribble at her eyelashes. “Something’s changed.”  

 

 

 

 

The shrill ring of Shouto’s phone pierced the air and he quickly answered.  

“I don’t know, I’ll go ask Froppy.”  

Ani followed him back to bridge as he quietly said to her “it’s Katsuki.”  

When they stepped inside they saw the crew flurrying around in action. Shouto wove to Froppy and put Katsuki on speakerphone:  

“Where the hell are you people?!”   

“We’re heading back to port now, or at least close enough so Midoriya and Shouto can make the jump back to shore with Shida-chan,” she croaked. “We’ll be there in about fifteen minutes.”  

“What’s going on?” Midoriya asked, urgently joining them.  

Well, whatever the hell you people have been doing caught the attention of that maniac director and she’s got the police all riled up!”   

“What?!” The four of them reacted at once.  

“She’s convinced them you’re planning something, says she has proof that you’ve been illegally collecting information on her and her family and there’s enough evidence for the police to be looking for you three. But since they can’t find you assholes, they’re bringing everyone close to you in for questioning!”  

Ani’s breath came in short, quick bursts as she tried to imagine her closest friends and family being gathered by the police at the will of Azamuku.  

“That’s not legal!” snapped Shouto.  

Of course it’s not, you bastard! But there are enough heroes and people-pleasers in your circle that they’re cooperating and who the fuck knows what’s going to happen when they all get here!”   

“Get where?” Shouto asked intently.  

The goddamned Musutafu police department. First precinct. So if you assholes—”  

We’ll be there as soon as we can,” Midoriya cut him off. “Tell us everything you know—who's there now, who’s on their way, where can we...”  

Midoriya’s voice softened out of Ani’s hearing along with the other sounds on the bridge as dread pressed in around her.  

 

You’ll find out soon enough.  

 

Ani’s ears rang as she remembered the director’s cruel words as she stared down at a dying, quirkless Ani. What was Azamuku’s goal in gathering all of them in one place besides the obvious trap to pull them in?  

Ani felt dizzy. Her mind emptied like an emotional circuit breaker had been tripped in her mind and she wasn’t able to process what was happening anymore. Their return to dock passed as if she was  stuck in a thick fog; Shouto was clearly worried but was talking with Midoriya and the agency and god knew who else in a constant stream trying to prepare for whatever situation awaited them in Musutafu. She sat in the back seat of the car watching the familiar scenery pass by, recognizing Choshi from their time assisting with the tsunami rescue efforts.  

Everything she’d been through felt like it was rushing back to her, demanding a place in her conscious mind to reassure her they could get through this. They would get through this. She played with the ring around her finger absent mindedly, already soothed by its presence and fundamental reassurance of the one absolute in her life.  

At some point she started crying tears of stress and wiped them away as soon as she noticed, not wanting to distract Shouto in any way. She knew it was imperative to pay attention to their conversations but she couldn’t bring herself to focus on it. Her mind seemed intent on reflecting over every moment she could remember of her time with Shouto as if she was watching a magnificent sunset that required her to set everything else aside and simply soak it all in. 

It was because they just got engaged, she told herself. That’s the only reason these strange feelings were swelling within her.  

Aino wasn’t answering his phone so Ani had no way of knowing if he was in Musutafu or not. If the police had called him in for questioning or not. She was worried about the other pros Katsuki had listed—including himself—that were already there and Shouto’s family who were much closer than Aino. Would they really bring Shouto’s mother out of the hospital for this?!  

They drove through the city expecting to see protests or some indication that something was amiss but there was nothing. Life was happening as placidly as any other night and it gave Ani no solace. When major things happened before there was always a stark difference in the city’s atmosphere but now...there was nothing wrong for anyone else. It scared her more than she could say.  

“The HSPC is there now,” Midoriya confirmed for Shouto. “Hero Unions, too. This is spiraling.”  

“It’s what they want,” Shouto argued, gripping the steering wheel with white-knuckles. He was trying to stay calm and Ani felt like the ground beneath her feet was slipping away. Pools of pale light passed through the car as they drove through the parking garage. There were hardly any spaces left.  

Ani climbed out with them after they finally found a spot. Shouto took her hand and the three of them set off at a brusque pace until Midoriya stopped in his tracks. Ani and Shouto whipped around to see him frozen in place, eyes kept from blinking as they tensed in pain.  

“Midoriya!!” Ani yelled and rushed to check his pulse. There was a ffwiipp and she turned to see Shouto frozen, too.  

“Shouto!” screamed Ani as her eyes frantically scanned the area around her. Her fingers found the small barb in his neck and she pulled it out but his body remained rigid. It stung her. She guessed it was from an ocean-creature quirk.  

Her mind was spinning. She didn’t have any of her vials, her medipack, or her portable transfusion device and she didn’t know how long they had. She ripped Shouto’s car keys from his pocket and set the metal against her wrist, prepared to slice but a pair of hands wrapped around hers and flung her away. 

She stared up at the shadow stepping between the two heroes. “F-Fission.”  

He smirked. “Really? You haven’t figure it out yet?” He rested a cocky elbow on Shouto’s shoulder and patted his chest. “Well, I’m surprised these two are still standing.”  

“Don’t touch him,” Ani growled vehemently though she was on the brink of tears.  

The man looked down at her and smirked. True to everything the heroes knew about these villains, he didn’t gloat or monologue and just lunged for Ani who rolled away and jumped to her feet. She didn’t want to leave Shouto or Midoriya but she couldn’t fight or help them on her own against this person.  

She was only feet from the stairwell door when Fission’s fingers wove into her hair and yanked her back so hard she fell back, scraping her palms as she tried to catch herself. He appeared over her in a flash and his hands were on her temples before she could blink.  

“Scream if you want. It won’t make any difference now,” he said as pressure flowed from the tips of his fingers into her brain.  

She grabbed his wrists and tried to pry him off but it was like roots were worming their way into her mind reaching through her into a different dimension and turning her inside out. Like she was on the bottom of the ocean with miles and miles of water crushing down on her.  

No… 

A vacuum.  

Her eyes bulged and her mouth parted in a soundless scream as her vision went blank.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Shouto was struggling against the toxin, feeling Ani’s regeneration do everything it could to keep him alive. He couldn’t see where Ani had gone and only heard a few seconds of a scuffle before everything went quiet. Darkness blossomed in Midoriya’s eyes and he feared the worst for his friend as the ground rumbled.  

“Midoriya! Todoroki!” Togota’s voice called out as he appeared and ran to them quickly jabbing them each with a vial of Ani’s super-concentrated blood. Another tremor rocked through the garage and Shouto’s body was regaining function enough to turn his head and looked over his shoulder in the direction which Ani disappeared.  

“What the…” Togota asked in shock as Shouto saw it, too.  

A small hole in the air, a golf-ball sized swirling darkness that was slowly growing seemingly sucking in the world around it.  

“We’ve got to get out of here!” shouted Togota as he injected Shouto and Midoriya again and started dragging them away.  

“A-Ani!” choked Shouto as his eyes watched the black air continue to consume, swelling to a soccer ball. He futilely reached out with a stiff, aching arm.  

“Come on!” Togota shouted again, pulling Shouto by his waist as Midoriya’s body was moving on it’s own.  

“Ani, no!” Shouto yelled and tried to fight back as they were barely able to make it to the edge of the parking garage before

 

FWTHOOOOM  

 

The sound echoed out the split-second after Shouto watched a sphere of darkness consume half of a seven-story parking garage. A shockwave rippled out, throwing the three pro-heroes against the side of the structure.

Concrete crumbled, dissolving away from the fringe of the crater and Shouto could already see and hear heroes and the police pouring out of the precinct to see what happened. The garage continued to shake. From the sounds and flickers of familiar heroes springing into action on every side of the garage, he knew all the buildings nearby had become unstable. A lingering trace of the toxin battled his nerves but he forced himself to his feet. 

Shouto stared down into the gaping abyss, the ringing in his ears slowly drowning out the sound of approaching sirens. Katsuki raged somewhere on the other side. They had to get everyone else out, Shouto knew this. But it wasn't like the last time. 

His feet wouldn't move. 

His brain couldn't think. 

And his heart?  

  

No...it wasn't like last time at all. 

He couldn't say his heart was empty...because for something to be empty it has to exist. 

  

His heart was gone. 

Chapter 147: Closure

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Shouto watched the surveillance tape over and over again with a fist against his mouth. Nineteen seconds. It took nineteen seconds from start-to-finish to show he and Midoriya getting attacked, Fission appearing and chasing Ani until he put his hands around her head and they disappeared.

Police officers and heroes walked up and down the hallway in a constant background of noise. Twenty-four hours. She’d been gone for twenty-four hours and they were no closer to understanding what happened. Everyone had been safely evacuated until the parking garage was stabilized and there were no more black hole anomalies. Shouto was waiting to talk to the director who was on her way to the police station. He knew he had to wait until she talked to the detectives and investigators first and there was a good chance he wouldn’t be allowed to speak with her at all but he had to try.

Someone knocked gently on the door and Shouto turned to see one of the precinct assistants waiting just outside the room.

“Excuse me, Mr. Todoroki, there’s a Dr. Shida here asking to see you?”

Shouto nodded and the assistant left, bringing the surgeon back with him.

“Aino,” Shouto greeted. He realized with a pang in his heart the surgeon was his future brother-in-law. Or would be—no. He couldn’t think like that.

“Shouto,” he replied with a tired nod as he watched the short surveillance clip play through. How many times was he going to have to endure losing his sister? “The lab confirmed you were attacked with the equivalent of a cone snail’s toxin. It’s another ocean-based quirk.”

Shouto bit the curse back. “And let me guess...I only survived because of Ani’s bone marrow donation?”

“Correct. Midoriya, too,” confirmed Aino.

“Midoriya?” Shouto frowned. “She gave him a bone marrow, too?”

Aino nodded grimly. “Quite a few people, actually.” The words sent a chill down Shouto’s spine.

“What do you mean?”

“Another hero came to help you and Midoriya in the parking garage, right?” He continued when Shouto nodded. “I guess he’s another teacher at UA. A bunch of them had been nearby waiting for you to arrive when they were attacked with the same thing, too. They should have been dead, Shouto, but Ani had given them all bone marrow donations and it kept them alive until another hero found them and gave them some of her blood.”

Shouto ran through the surgeon’s words through his mind. “So that’s...six extra people she gave blood donations to?”

“Eight. She included Bakguo and the UA principal.”

“How...” breathed Shouto in a directionless question. “When?”

“According to what her colleagues told me she did as much as she could last week after some plan was made to try and trap someone?” Aino’s face scrunched in confusion. “They said the director of Musutafu General was involved somehow?”

Shouto nodded and told Aino about everything that had happened, including everything his agency discovered while they were on Froppy’s boat.

“And after running a series of age-filters on the director’s grandfather we think we figured out the alias he’s been using.”

“Really?” Aino asked, a spark of hope in his eye.

Shouto nodded. “Do you remember the quirk I asked you about a while ago, Fission?”

“Yes.” Aino’s eyes flicked to the looping video. “And let me guess...”

“That’s him,” confirmed Shouto. The surgeon’s eyes unfocused as his quirk—the ability to solve complex anatomical problems—shifted into action. Shouto silently waited as patiently as he could.

“But I don’t understand,” Aino thought out loud. “You said they only wanted Ani’s quirk. Why would this happen to her, too?”

“I don’t know,” admitted the pro hero. They were quiet for a long moment.

“When is the last time you rested?” Aino quietly asked.

Shouto stared at Ani’s tortured expression the moment before she disappeared. “It doesn’t matter.”

Aino opened his mouth to argue but could see the hard set of Shouto’s expression and knew his words would be wasted. He patted the pro-hero's back and offered “I’ll be around for a while longer if you need anything.”

“Thanks Aino."

The surgeon was in the doorway when he turned and asked “...have you heard from Hana at all?”

Shouto grunted in acknowledgement, eyes never leaving the screen. “Yes. She’s on her way to Musutafu now—” behind him Aino’s features brightened “—but I don’t know how long it will take her to get back.”

Aino nodded and reined his hopes back in. “That’s good. Thank you, Shouto.”

Shouto made some sound in response, losing himself in thought again.

 

 

Tunnel vision had consumed him by the time Azamuku was available and willing to talk to him.

“Surely you can understand my preference to speak somewhere we can be observed?” she asked haughtily as he walked into the questioning room.

He ignored the comment, heterochromatic gaze locking onto her as he walked in. “What did he do?”

“What did who do?” she asked confused.

“Don’t play games with me,” demanded Shouto. “I know Fission is your grandfather and you’ve been working with him to do whatever it is you’re trying to do. So what did he do to Ani?!”

Azamuku met him with a level gaze. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. And I think you should be more worried about yourself, Mr. Todoroki. You’re not looking well.”

Shouto clenched his jaw and slammed flaming and icy fists on the table making the director jump.

“Okay, this is over,” an officer said coming into the room without hesitation.

Shouto glared at the director. “What did he do to her? What did he do!” he yelled as he was dragged from the room by several people. Azamuku stared back, startled, but Shouto swore he saw the corner of her mouth tilt in a smirk before she was out of sight.

“Shouto. Shouto!” a familiar voice was shouting in his ear as he was forced down the hallway. He stopped struggling and finally made eye-contact with his brother-in-law.

“Get a hold of yourself!” Utsubei urged and continued walking the pro hero away from the other officers who had let him go. He nearly shoved Shouto into a lounge and slammed the door shut, cutting off the background noise. “You're going to end up in jail if you keep acting like thi—”

“We just got engaged,” Shouto cut him off with wild despair. Utsubei froze. Shouto slowly sank onto the couch and with a rough voice whispered, “I asked her to marry me...and she said yes...” He looked up and told his brother-in-law everything he knew about the director, everything they found out.

“I’ll look into all of this,” Utsubei assured him. “But you’ve got to calm down, okay?”

Shouto nodded, the hollow look in his eye expressing all the fear he couldn’t put into words. “I can do that.”

“Good.” Utsubei crossed his arms and ordered, “get some sleep.”

Shouto waited for his brother-in-law to leave but the detective didn’t take his eyes off him so he slouched down and rested his head on the back of the couch. He was asleep in only seconds.

 

 

When he woke up Dojire was sitting at the small table in the lounge.

“Has there been any news?” he asked without warning, making his assistant jump.

Dojire exhaled and said “nothing substantial yet, sir. And from what Detective Utsubei said, you’ve only been asleep for an hour. Please, get some more rest and I’ll wake you if there are any substantial developments.”

Feeling reassured by Dojire’s presence, Shouto laid down and fell into a deeper, more proper sleep.

 

 

 

Shouto was gently shake. “What is it?” he asked groggily without any idea of the time—or day and met Dojire’s strained expression. He sat up urgently. “What?”

 

 

He followed his assistant as they wove through the precinct and met Utsubei who took him to the superintendent who explained the investigation into everything Shouto’s agency had uncovered along with other pieces of information. And, when presented with the information, the director admitted to everything. Shouto demanded to see the recording of her questioning, ignoring the superintendent’s apologies and other sentiments for now.

Flanked by Utsubei and Dojire he watched the interview. Then rewatched it. He talked to the other heroes. The police officers. Government officials who came to the precinct and the story that Shouto’s team had already started to piece together was finally complete.

Azamuku’s great-grandfather lost two children to villains. He divorced his wife, remarried, and had Azamuku’s grandfather whom he raised with the sincere belief that quirks were the problems.

Not heroes.

People would always abuse power but the appearance of quirks distributed too much power too unevenly. It was a philosophy he instilled in all his descendants and watched to see which of his children or grandchildren would take to the message as powerfully as he did. For Ryoshi, the philosophy was twisted into a hatred of heroes themselves and she was lost as she aligned with people like Hogo Sareta.

Azamuku became his pride-and-joy. As she grew up, they talked about how better the world could be if they went back to how things were before quirks. Progress for the overall good of society had been lost because of these abilities. The idea that had been slowly forming over generations began to take shape as they started a plan

To get rid of quirks.

Not heroes.

At first they thought All-For-One was the answer but it would have been impossible to get rid of every quirk with it—her grandfather had almost died collecting more quirks than his body could handle as he tried to take them from people which resulted in his own quirk resetting his life. Thus, the child that Bakugo saved. It only took him two years to return to a fully-grown adult and in that time they finished planning. Under the cover of first the League and then Ryoshi, they mobilized as the public, police, and heroes were preoccupied and gathered quirks to give them the tools they would need.

A gene editing quirk to write quirks out of humans

 Infradian rhythm, a quirk that let them measure biological cycles longer than twenty-four hours. With it they could find the beginning of the new evolutionary cycle when quirks began.

Zero Gravity. Under the assumption that an increase in gravity warps time to a slower pace, a decrease in gravity would increase the speed of time and a lack thereof entirely should exempt one from the physical limitations of time altogether and allow it to be controlled as any other physical force. Thus, free movement along the dimension of time.

 Using fission would release nuclear energy powerful enough to fuel travel back in time when their physical bodies were no longer tied to the earth.

And regeneration would provide the self-sustaining pool of atoms to use.

They didn’t just need Ani’s quirk…

They needed Ani herself to serve as the regenerating source of energy and they already knew their plan would work because they tested it on Hansha.

With plenty of connections along the coast as a marine-quirk family, they kidnapped the girl during her final pilgrimage to the beach. Testing it out at sea they were able to travel a short distance back in time but the clone’s regeneration was too weak to support the full-length voyage. When the clone was destroyed there was a massive release of energy. it resulted in the Choshi tsunami.

 So they learned. Improved. And came after Ani.

It wasn’t a problem when Azamuku took her quirk, too, because they knew Uravity got hers back after they stole it. It was only a matter of time before Ani was restored by that same power, too. And sure enough, Ani and Shouto disappeared. Azamuku assumed it was to go to their secret reserve and she didn’t have the patience to wait for their return so she pushed it along. It worked out better than either she or her grandfather could have planned.

Azamuku added a sinister consolation prize: if her grandfather succeeded in erasing quirks most of them would cease to exist. Every moment they were still alive meant he hadn’t succeeded yet, so they should be grateful.

Shouto sat with Utsubei still trying to absorb everything. “So they used Ani...to travel back in time?”

“With all of those other quirks, too, yes.”

“How could he survive with all of those quirks at once?” Shouto asked.

Utsubei earnestly answered “Ani’s blood. You were right that the hospital director was stealing it for him to survive. And when she took Ani’s quirk a couple of days ago, she gave it to him.”

The whole situation was difficult for Shouto to process. He could barely ask the most pressing question... “So...” he swallowed dryly. “If Ani survives...she’ll be alive in the past?”

His brother-in-law maintained composure but the depth in his eyes spoke volumes. “We asked Azamuku to explain the process again and...whether her grandfather succeeds or not...Ani won’t survive.”

 

 

Notes:

I know this unloads a lot of details and I've re/read it multiple times trying to make sure everything makes sense but please let me know if it doesn't!

Chapter 148: A Wrinkle In Time

Chapter Text

Shouto was pacing the lounge when Midoriya burst in. “Todoroki-kun, we came as soon as we could.”

Eri, Froppy, Uraraka, and Iida followed and Shouto told them everything.

“So how can we help?” Uraraka asked, brow dipped in worry.

“We need to find a way to pull Ani out of time, to bring her back,” Shouto said. “If we can find the same people from whom Azamuku stole those quirks we can rewind them and ask for their help.”

“The hospital director’s grandfather acquired all of those quirks to use simultaneously from the same body." Midoriya grimaced. "If we’re successful in locating all the individuals with those quirks, it is unlikely that we will be able to trigger the same process in which Shida-san disappeared to bring her back.”

“We have to try.” Shouto’s features hardened and the group glanced around. Before anyone could object Dojire stepped in holding his phone to his chest.

“Sir,” he politely interrupted. “Aves is on the phone for you.”

Shouto accepted the call and stepped away from the group. “Aves. Are you almost here?”

No, Shouto. I’m sorry. We’re just getting back to the car now.”

“What?” he tried not to snap. “You were already at the base of the mountain a long time ago!”

I know, I know, and we were when we talked to Dojire but we knew someone who could help so we went back to the temple and before we realized what we were doing we didn’t have service anymore and just kept going so we didn’t waste anymore time—”

Shouto didn’t know what they had been doing so he had no idea who or what temple they were talking about. When they’d talked to Dojire, they insisted they wanted to be in person to debrief. Shouto bit back his irritation. Aves was still talking before he could ask any questions.

“—going back down to call just to say we’d be late. But we’re on our way back now and we’ll be there as soon as we can.” Someone spoke anxiously to Aves in the background. “Shouto, we’ll explain everything in person but Kamagiri needs to talk to you.”

Wait.

Kamagiri?!

“What?” Shouto asked incredulously but Aves was already gone.

Todoroki Shouto, we do not know each other yet but I’ve spent much time getting to know your honorable fellow heroes,” an old woman’s voice spoke urgently to him. "They assure me you are a man of great morals and character so please, I implore you not to do whatever you’re about to do.”

Shouto too stunned to wrap his head around the possibility that Kurogiri’s sibling who had supposedly been murdered alongside him was still alive to form any words.

Grave danger waits in the fray for your dear companions here and I can only assume their fate is closely intertwined with yours. Please, whatever you are planning, I implore you to abandon your plans.”

I cannot do that.” Shouto felt the eyes of the other heroes in the room flick to him at the sound of his hard voice.

“You do not understand what you face—”

“Then explain it,” demanded Shouto. “What do you see in the future?”

My quirk doesn’t do that. I can’t see into the future because it’s murky and undetermined.”

“Then what does your quirk do?”

“My quirk allows me to find people in time, thought it’s difficult trying to find where their future leads because—”

“Yes, it’s undetermined. I understand that,” Shouto cut in. “Then of what exactly are you trying to warn me?”

I don’t know. Only that peril is in your future.”

“I’m a pro-hero. That’s unavoidable.” Shouto gripped the phone, feeling valuable time slipping away. “Unless you can give me concrete help, I have to go.”

“Wait! You’re going to reach into time, aren’t you?” When Shouto didn’t answer, she continued. “Time is a dangerous place that you should not meddle with!”

“I have to.”

Listen to me,” implored the old woman. “Time is not linear! It is like the sea: raw and powerful and unforgiving to those who think they can command its power for their own!”

An image a of a dark, bottomless ocean flashed in his mind and he recognized it as the image Ani described when she described thalassophobia to him. “I don’t want to control it. My only intention is to save someone from it.”

“You risk rupturing the barrier between the past and the present and the future. Do you understand?” She didn’t wait for an answer. “I know the pain of losing a loved-one. I know the temptation of reaching into the past to save them and I urge you to understand that you’re risking more than your own life.”

“I do. I understand.” Shouto had so many questions for this old woman but time was running out. He looked into his palm and curled his fingers into a tight fist as he willed Ani to still be alive. To be within reach. “I assure you I do not embark on this lightly.”

I truly hope so, Todoroki Shouto,” her wrinkled voice replied. “I hope your efforts will not be in vain and I’ll be able to meet you.”

“As do I.” Shouto hung up the phone taking the woman’s warning to heart. He turned back to his group of supportive friends. “We’re going to need help.”

 

 

 

 

Shouto stopped counting how long it had been since Ani disappeared. It was better if he didn’t know. He stared at the mass of heroes gathered in the police station’s briefing room alongside police and other emergency service responders as the plan was outlined. Azamuku was on her way to Tartarus. They only had half the quirks her team had but he had hope they could do something to try and rescue Ani.

He saw the similarities between this and the meeting the morning after Ani had been kidnapped. Same room. Similar faces. There were many more people packed into the room and there were no hushed jokes or comments about Ani this time. Bakugo wouldn’t look at him but that was fine. He was grateful the explosive pro was here at all.

There was a hard, tense silence as everyone left the station and took their places including emergency responders who were standing by. Shouto went into the parking garage with the other pro heroes, up to the floor of Ani’s disappearance with the other key pros.

“You’re bat-shit insane if you think this is really going to work,” Bakugo muttered under his breath as he walked past and took his place on the other side of the cement hole. Aino was setting up the over-sized petri dish of Ani’s body tissue from UA—a graphic mix of blood and viscera from various parts of her body that she’d harvested—into which Uraraka, Eri, and Togota were staring.

Yeah. It was insane.

But they had to at least try this and they’d taken every precaution of which they could think.

“You know this isn’t a substitute for her, right?” Aino repeated to Shouto and the red-white head nodded.

“It’s the best we can do right now. Azamuku killed everyone but Uraraka so we can’t get anyone she used to help us.”

The surgeon spent a long moment searching Shouto’s eyes before placing a hand on his shoulder. “Good luck. I’ll be waiting at the agency.”

Shouto nodded. “Thank you, Aino.”

With grave reservation he replied “don’t thank me just yet.”

All non-essential personnel cleared the parking garage leaving the pro heroes alone and in position.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Scream if you want. It won’t make any difference now,” he said as pressure flowed from the tips of his fingers into her brain.

She grabbed his wrists and tried to pry him off but it was like roots were worming their way into her mind reaching through her into a different dimension and turning her inside out. No. It was like she was on the bottom of the ocean with miles and miles of water crushing down on her.

No…

A vacuum.

Her eyes bulged and her mouth parted in a soundless scream as her vision went blank.

In it’s place light streaked past, blinding her in a sensory overload as her body continued being ripped apart and rearranged. She was tossing and turning in a sea of photic lava and couldn’t understand what was happening to her.

 

Thoop

 

 

Thoop

 

 

Was that her pulse? It sounded so strange…so distorted…she couldn’t feel it either…no…it wasn’t her pulse. It was a heavy pulse throbbing through her shapeless body and she tried to follow it…

She could feel something else amidst the deluge of whatever she was experiencing. No. Not something…someone.

Fission’s face appeared in her mind, if she had one left.

 

Ha ha ha… a dark voice wove through her consciousness like a thread. You’re still calling me that…

 

She was going to throw up as her body unraveled and looped through itself until she could feel points of pressure like his fingers on her temple and the spinning streaks of light began to separate. Tears pricked at her non-existent eyes as she started seeing flashes in the light and she realized what was happening:

 

She was traveling back in time.

 

Standing under the heavy rush of images and sounds and smells and feelings and overwhelming senses she was thrown around and crushed in place, knowing this was some place humans were never meant to go. Voices buzzed around her, sawing through the bones of her being as she fell endlessly like a nightmare. She could hear the dark, disembodied voice drifting out of reach.

He was looking for something looking for something looking for something

She was suffocating.

Trying to remember what it meant to have hands, arms, she flailed through space to find something anything to grab onto. She hit something solid.

Fumbling in vibrant blindness she gripped it and felt the dark voice dismiss her feeble efforts—it was Fission or whoever the man was who took her.

She dissolved over and over again as Fission reaped energy from her as fast as her regeneration could battle it. Feeling the strain on her own body some part of her knew that Fission must be feeling it as well. She struggled to find a grip on his other arm. There were too many other currents drowning her senses to see Fission—or feel him really—but she knew he was there in some form.

So close they were so close so close almost there almost there he could almost reach almost reach and the moment was lost. Slipped past them in the circulating current. Whatever he was looking for would come back, he only had to keep going keep pushing keep keep keep

He was too distracted to notice the pressure of Ani’s hands increasing on his wrists. Or maybe it wasn’t doing anything. She was trying to pry his hands off her head but the roots of his efforts were embedded too deeply into her brain, her being, and she couldn’t remove him from herself. Clawing desperately up his arms she found his head.

He started flailing, thrashing to get out of her reach while trying to keep his own concentration on some needle-in-a-haystack-point-in-time that he was determined to find.

Ani didn’t give up. She couldn’t decipher what he was looking for or what he was trying to do but she fought with all of her life to grip his own temples. An echo of his own soundless scream reverberated between them because, though she was fumbling, she was extending the roots in her own consciousness back into his.

She could suddenly see everything, understand everything. What he was looking for. What he was trying to do.

Quirks.

He wanted to get rid of quirks.

Ani didn’t need a physical mind or body to understand the rippling effect of eliminating quirks would result in the death of millions—billions—of lives lost. They were suddenly wrestling through an empty eternity, struggling to control the direction of their travel and the flow of their energy.

Thunder rumbled.

Ani felt herself unravel into threads of experiences that wove through trillions of other threads and she could start to make sense of the things she was seeing around herself. Memories—past events happening over and over again in endless loops twisting and retwisting into the future she had existed in moments, days, years ago.

Endeavor dying.

Her brother graduating from medical school.

Returning tests to her students.

Being attacked by a large wolf in the forest.

Attending her parents’ funeral.

And then the memory-events began to expand, encompassing things she hadn’t experienced and she realized she was being rolled through pasts that didn’t belong to her.

Uraraka and Midoriya’s first date.

Togota’s brush with death trying to save Eri.

Eri’s graduation from UA.

Midoriya defeating All-For-One.

What was happening?

Every part of her non-existent being pulsed with pain as thunder rumbled again, almost in time with her pain and…her heartbeat…?

Fission was still howling, suffering under the same torture he’d put Ani under as they were both forced to suffer against a rising, stretching tide that washed the visions in a fog.

 

 

 

 

Something was happening. They all could feel it. Shouto’s eyes darted around the hole to the other pros who looked like the hair on the back of their neck was standing up—just like his.

Thunder rumbled.

A strange, cloudless reverberation that pulsed through the air.

Uraraka whimpered in pain and Midoriya flashed to her side, grimacing as he joined her, Eri, and Togota whose hands were all submerged in Ani’s viscera, trying to activate some sort of time travel—the air in the middle of the destroyed hole began to bend and warp, distorting the image of Bakugo on the other side as a hazy, black hole emerged out of nothingness. Except where a black hole consumed everything, this was the opposite. It was like the entire world was trying to pour out of this growing, broiling cloud.

Thunder rumbled again, a ripple of sound echoing from the foggy cloud as lightning slowly reached out in all directions.

A massive shadow passed over the fog—the silhouette of a monster awoken from the past and the cloud was nearly touching the crumbling edge of the hole. Shouto looked down at his feet; he thought he was falling but his feet were still firmly planted on the parking garage.

“Back up…” he yelled in warning. The other heroes he could see were trying, almost too engrossed by the distorted images becoming visible to respond. He saw Midoriya pulling Uraraka, Eri, and Togota out of the way but the pro’s jade eyes were wide.

Transfixed on something reaching out of the fog Midoriya’s voice trembled. “A-All-For-One…”

Without hesitating the pro hero began to fight the ethereal being attempting to solidify itself into reality from the past.

A terrible feeling sank through Shouto. Before he could react to that, swirls of purple mist began to appear at the edge of the cloud.

Kurogiri.

Other villains began to step through and the pro-hero closest to each immediately leapt into battle to subdue the materializing enemies.

A ghastly roar and red laser fired out of gate and Shouto shifted to the side, barely avoiding the infernal streak that burned through the nearest support of the parking garage.

Horror crystallized through Shouto as the Chimera appeared and Shouto was immediately fighting for his life and he could hear everyone else was too.

He knew it before he realized.

“Get them out!” he screamed, referring to Togota, Uraraka, and Eri who were trying to sift through time to find Ani. With a split-second between attacks from the Chimera, he blasted a spear of ice through the petri dish shattering the glass and throwing Ani’s viscera across the pavement. The three pros were shoved to the ground, Togota snapping back to reality first and deflecting the attack of some villain lunging toward Uraraka and Eri who were coughing on the ground.

Shouto wasted no time in doing the same thing he’d done all those years ago. Quicker and stronger, it took him seconds to freeze the Chimera to it’s core and to death. The fog was still growing and more villains were still appearing, almost too many to be engaged by the heroes present. He feared some would start to slip through when a flame blazed through the side of the fog and Shouto saw his father.

Endeavor materialized through the edges of the fog chasing a villain. Shouto recognized there were other heroes appearing now, too, as if they were fighting the villain into the future from the past, but he stared at his father for a long moment and felt a streak of moisture fall down his own face.

He joined the fray of fellow heroes, throwing the villains back into the ever-growing cloud or immobilizing them wherever they could. Strange sounds and sights overwhelmed them as they flowed out of the fog.

Was it going to consume the whole parking structure?

 

 

 

An eternity of experiences weaving without the passing of any time.

Ani was drowning.

Drowning

Drowning

Her life long forgotten in the sea of infinite lives lived over an endless horizon extending in every direction, inside, outside, through her. A cacophony of the sweetest melodies.

Everything.

And nothing.

This was the sea of time…and Ani was drowning. The parallel existence of someone else was fading…roots that had anchored themselves deep into her brain retreated…dissolving…a task abandoned…a goal unachieved…nothing mattered…

Everything.

And nothing.

Whatever brushed against her consciousness was gone as quickly as it had appeared though it felt like she’d known it for a lifetime.

 

 

 

 

The fog began to retreat. Withdrawing like mist under a rising sun. Villains kept materializing, struggling to get through the portal. Several pros, including Midoriya were still fighting All-For-One. More fog condensed into itself. A flicker of movement caught Shouto’s eye.

A spark of electricity deep in the fog that outlined a silhouette he would know anywhere.

They had done it.

They had found a way to reach through time and space and find her…he heard the old woman’s words again…

 

I know the temptation of reaching into the past to save them and I urge you to understand that you’re risking more than your own life

 

 

He understood now.

More than he wanted to, just enough, and yet he’d never understand.

For the second time in so many minutes he felt tears fall as he watched Ani’s form—so close but too far—clutch at her own throat. And he knew.

He knew she was dying. She was suffocating, just like Aino had said…there was no guarantee she could survive through time travel.

And the moment was gone.

In a blinding flash of light the fog was gone and an earth-shattering wind whipped the remaining heroes and villains in the final moments of their fight. Thunder rumbled and shook the parking garage. Shouto could feel it was going to collapse…this time the crater was much larger. There was hardly anything left of the structure and a huge gouge had been taken out of the ground leaving pipes sliced open, their liquid contents flowing into the crater.

Shouto stared down into the gaping abyss, the ringing in his ears slowly drowning out the sound of approaching sirens. Katsuki raged somewhere on the other side. They had to get everyone else out, Shouto knew this. But it wasn't like the last time. 

His feet wouldn't move. 

His brain couldn't think. 

And his heart?  

  

No...it wasn't like last time at all. 

He couldn't say his heart was empty...because for something to be empty it has to exist. 

  

His heart was gone. 

Chapter 149: Beacon of Hope; Beacon of Light

Chapter Text

Wind blew through the parking garage, through him.  

They had been so close... he had been so close. He could have leapt into whatever that was and saved her...but he didn’t. His subconscious crashed with a thousand accusations that all came down to one: coward. 

She was there right there . He could see her, nearly hear her feel her, as if she was within arm’s reach…and he…did nothing… 

No. 

He didn’t do nothing. He stopped their attempt to save her because...he put everyone at risk like that. 

He nearly killed all his closest friends and peers, unleashed the hellish collection of history’s worst villains on society. 

 

 

I know the temptation of reaching into the past to save them and I urge you to understand that you’re risking more than your own life  

 

 

His sidekicks were somewhere close, if not back already, and would be anxious to see him. The police would have questions. His peers would have accusations. The world would have a hard time understanding what happened and why.  

He could already hear calls of his name in the distance—not because they were far away but because his attention was far, far away. 

He failed. He failed to save Ani. He chose not to save her. He recognized the cost to close that last short distance to her would have cost the lives of everyone around him and maybe everyone in the city, too. He closed his eyes and prayed an apology to whatever higher power ruled over their world. He prayed Ani knew he was sorry. 

He was ready to give his whole life to bring her back…but the lives of everyone else? Part of him was willing…but he couldn’t do it. How could she have lived knowing he exchanged her return for the lives of others?  

She couldn’t. She wouldn’t have wanted to.   

He didn’t give up on her, he told himself. He didn’t abandon her…though it felt like the truth.  

“Todoroki!” shouted Midoriya and his attention finally snapped back into place. “We have to get out of here!”  

Shouto could feel it now, the hazardous rumbling of the parking garage. He rushed to help the remaining heroes and their villain prisoners out before it fully collapsed. 

Darkness fell over the city like a blanket casting the new pile of concrete and iron in shadow. 

Shouto stared as emergency responders swarmed and started tending to injuries. He wondered if she was still alive…maybe she would live long enough he could try something else to save her. Or maybe she had died the instant Fission took her in the first black hole. Maybe what he’d seen was that moment, visible through the twists of time in their interference. No one understood how time travel worked and, like Kamagiri said, time wasn’t linear.  

He was one of the few who didn’t need medical treatment or screening so he climbed to the top of the pile of rubble. The structure had fallen in a ring creating a higher wall around the already deep crater.  

He felt hollow. A night breeze tossed his hair reminding him of Azamuku’s morbid consolation prize. He was still alive…so Fission hadn’t succeeded yet . That was something.  

Shouto held tight to that notion. As long as he was alive he wasn’t going to stop trying to bring her back regardless of the war raging internally if it was possible. He looked down into his left palm, the hand Ani always held when they drove somewhere together. His eyes fell closed—he could still feel the strong, soft warmth of her fingers intertwined with his.  

He focused his mind on the recent memory of standing on the deck of Froppy’s ship with Ani and called out with his heart to Ani that wherever— when ever—she was, she was all he would ever need. He wouldn’t stop. He would keep trying, keep fighting  

Forever.  

“Todoroki Shouto.”  

Shouto’s eyes flashed open and he whipped around to see a short, wrinkled old woman standing in the rubble a few feet away. His three sidekicks were positioned supportively, protectively around her as if she’d insisted on climbing herself and they wanted to stay close.  

“Kamagiri,” he greeted.  

She gave him a knowing smirk and used her knobby walking stick to climb higher toward him. “So you tried it anyway.”  

Aves, M.I., and Flora silently followed as she joined him at the top.  

“I had to,” admitted Shouto feeling transparent next to this elder.  

Kamagiri surveyed the grisly scene. “If there was anything I could have done to save my brother, I would have done the same thing.”  

“Was there nothing you could do?” Shouto refused to let his hopes be crushed.  

“I don’t know!” the old woman said with a quiet laugh. “I was a terrified child and chose to hide so I wouldn’t be killed, too.”  

City sounds drifted up to them.  

“Can you see if she’s still alive?” Shouto asked in a strained voice.  

After a long moment Kamagiri answered “I can’t. Unfortunately, I never honed my quirk to find someone I didn’t know very well. I’ve gotten to know these three heroes here better than anyone else in decades...” She patted Flora’s hand and exchanged a smile with her. “...which made me attuned to their existence and sense something like this was coming.”  

Shouto got a text; he checked and saw Azamuku was in custody at Tartarus but she no longer had All-For-One. He pocketed his phone and accepted that she must have given it to Fission. He was numb to the effect this had on Ani’s odds of survival.  

“Everything okay, boss?” asked M.I.  

Shouto nodded tiredly. When he closed his eyes he saw nothing but... 

Blue.  

Like the ocean.  

Calming. Welcoming and yet aloof. Deep. Watching. Waiting. 

“What are you going to do now?” asked Kamagiri.  

Shouto could feel her gaze scrutinizing his features. He slowly exhaled and remembered Ani’s voice from M.I.’s projected memory.  

 

Tell him I’ll be waiting for him  

 

He remembered the feeling like his love was curse on Ani under the self-deprecating quirk, feeling like he wasn’t worth everything she’d been through. On that bridge he’d been forced to feel like he couldn’t save anyone, including Ani, and she was there...in his heart and his mind fighting to save him against the thoughts driving him closer to suicide. And, in spite of it all, she had appeared on Tokoyami’s back and saved him.  

All because she loved him.  

And he loved her.  

He thought back to their first dinner together in her apartment as they shared a meal at her kotatsu. She was always working to help and save others and she’d always been a hero in his eyes. She called Deku a beacon of light but she was wrong. She was a beacon of light...his beacon of light. She always had been  

And always would be. 

 

Unless you saw his body, we can’t know for sure he’s dead  

 

She said those words to Bakugo in the alleyway right before she found him chained and poisoned in the Absolved’s basement and he knew it was the same now. He didn’t know for sure what he saw, for sure she was dead.  

The night breeze highlighted a cold line down his cheek; he hadn’t felt the tear fall. He didn’t know how long he had stood there, how long Kamagiri waited for an answer but when he opened his eyes he gave her the truth.  

“I’ll keep trying. I’ll wait and I’ll keep looking, no matter what it takes,” said Shouto looking up into the dark night sky. “ 

Their love had survived so much and it was going to get them through this, too.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Aino planned on sprinting down the street to get to Aves at the disaster site but when he stepped into the station it was busy. There were more people than he expected at this time of night and he only questioned his decision to take the train across the city for a moment. The street was busier. He could see it would have been impossible to drive through the flooded city streets; he gaped as the crowd streamed in the direction he was going. He started to notice different objects in peoples’ hands: candles, flowers, signs... 

Pictures of—his breath caught in his throat—Ani. It was her staff photo from the UA website.  

He could hardly see the pile of debris; he only knew it was there because the flood of people flowed up a slope.  

 

 

 

 

~  

 

 

Kamagiri remained next to Shouto, his sidekicks, and a few of his close friends who had also joined them, and watched the crowd grow. Flickering lights of candles appeared lining the edge of the crater along with endless other tokens and offerings.  

Most people kept a respectful distance from Shouto though he was buffered by his own growing group. Fuyumi and the boys—especially a teary Tashkei—came when Utsubei told them what happened. Natsuo helped Rei climb the debris, too, and she took her son’s hand with a comforting squeeze. With heavy huffs and pants, Aino rushed up, too, embracing Aves in a desperate hug.  

“What’s going on?” he breathlessly asked, joining them, and watched more and more people flood the scene. He worried about the structural integrity of the debris pile until he saw hints of ice and knew Shouto had already reinforced everything.  

“They’ve heard...” Aves answered, speech slowed in her own wonder. “They heard about what happened to Ani and they’re coming to join Shouto’s vigil.”  

Aino’s eyes flicked to the red-white head whose attention was focused somewhere in the pocket of empty space then slowly panned the throngs of people. He began to see signs with well-wishes, prayers for her safe return, and thanks for all she had done. Names began to appear, too, and Aino guessed who they were.  

Shouto appreciated the presence of his family and friends, especially how they seemed to understand he didn’t want to talk. There was a strange stillness to the whole area; voices were hushed and people respectfully offered their tokens before making room for someone else. Vigil candles were passed around, adding twinkling lights to the landscape.  

Kamagiri began looking around in bewilderment.  

“Is everything okay?” Aves quietly asked her.  

The old woman’s wrinkled brow furrowed. “I don’t know...there’s something strange in the air.”  

“Like what?” M.I. pressed.  

Kamagiri looked over the crowd for several long moments. If she was to use the same analogy as she’d given them in the temple...of her quirk working like hearing the song of a whale...it was like she could hear something. Not a whole song but a soft, muted note pulsing strangely.  

Seemingly out of context she asked the sidekicks “why are there so many names on the posters?” 

“What?” M.I. rhetorically asked and followed her gaze.  

The man Kamagiri assumed as Aino—the boyfriend Aves described so enthusiastically—offered “I think they’re patients that Ani helped save...either directly as a nurse or indirectly from blood donations.”  

“Blood donations? What do you mean?” Kamagiri asked.  

“Ani’s quirk was regeneration. And she could help heal other people by giving them her blood—” 

“Or bone marrow,” added Flora and Aino nodded in agreement.  

“Or bone marrow,” confirmed Aino. “My guess is these are all names of patients she saved.”  

Kamagiri’s eyes widened. “So many...”  

“She did everything she could to use her quirk to help others.” It was the first time Shouto had spoken since people started gathering and it pulled Kamagiri’s attention in a strange way. The old woman ignored Flora, Aves, and M.I.’s worried looks and touched the unfamiliar place of her quirk again.  

By this time, despite the late hours of the night turning toward the early hours of the morning, the streets were packed. People stood shoulder to shoulder in Ani’s memory and Shouto recognized many faces among the crowds from UA students to pro heroes, police officers. So many people.  

“How...how long does her blood stay in someone?” Kamagiri asked. Aino and the three sidekicks exchanged a curious look.  

“It varies...” Aino answered cautiously. “On average her blood would be filtered out in about 24 hours...Bone marrow and other tissue lasts a lot longer...why?”  

Kamagiri answered the question silently, only to herself. The single note that had been so muted was starting to evolve, extending in varied pulses making it sound more like a song. Being surrounded by so many people whose lives had been so moved by a single person she’d never met, Kamagiri couldn’t help but imagine she could feel this girl as she could with a close friend. And the feeling, the song...it emanated stronger and stronger among this group until Kamagiri found the crescendo:  

Shouto.  

His eyes were closed, features focused and concentrated as Kamagiri watched and felt and held her breath. Her own spirit swelled as she experienced her quirk’s ability—though she couldn’t tell if she could feel the girl’s spirit because she was still alive or because these people had so much of her inside themselves—raw and rich. She closed her own eyes and let the feeling wash over her like the intangible effect of a powerful song. Her legs ached from standing here so long but she didn’t care. She was so enthralled with whatever she was experiencing that she ignored her discomfort.  

Whispers danced among the crowd. 

Kamagiri knew it was getting close to sunrise. People must have been realizing this and would be leaving soon but Kamaigiri kept her eyes closed, savoring whatever this was for as long as she could.  

The whispers grew turning into gasps, calls for attention.  

Kamagiri looked now. The sky was brighter, tendrils of color reaching across the sky in the moments before sunrise and she noticed what other people were looking at. There was a strange shimmer in the air like a heat wave. Shouto’s eyes were still pressed tightly together but more and more people were looking at the shimmer, her own gaze widening in wonder.  

Their place on the earth turned, edging the sun closer and closer to the horizon until rays of light illuminated the city until the gasps turned into exuberant cries. 

 

Shouto spent the whole night thinking of her, what he could do to bring her back, how much he loved her...he didn’t notice anything until Tashkei gently broke his reverie.  

“Uncle...look...”  

Shouto’s attention returned to the present, surprised to see it was already sunrise. As the sun crested the horizon the light caught the droplets of early morning dew and sparkled.  

Shouto frowned.  

The tiny beads of prisms were strangely suspended in the air and the more the sun rose, the more light danced off of them as if they were droplets dripping from a leaking pipe. They began to slowly sink as more continued to form from thin air and Shouto’s body was in motion before he could think.  

 Kamagiri felt her eyes overflow with tears as the few notes blossomed, continuing to unfold.  

Creating the bridge of ice instinctively, Shouto ran out into the empty air as he watched the dew precipitate and solidify like molecules coming out of solution. His pulse throbbed in his throat, his ears, as he stopped a few feet away and gently extended a platform of ice underneath the appearing toes, shoes materializing around them.  

Everything else in the world faded away, time ceased to exist, nothing else mattered.  

The rays of sunlight continued to bend and dazzle; his chest heaved with every hopeful breath. The air was still.  

The droplets had condensed into legs, the same pants she’d been wearing—his mouth dried out.  

The crowd was silent. 

And slowly, as the horizon passed the middle of the sun, her body formed. Fingertips. Her hands. Shouto saw the light catch the delicate ring still on her finger and he felt weak with hope.  

Covered by the same shirt she’d been wearing when she was taken, the droplets dazzled as they crept up her arms, along her shoulders.  

A breeze tossed sparkling strands of dew. Shouto resisted the urge to reach out, scared to disturb whatever was happening. Her face was filling in, lips and cheeks taking shape. 

And, as the sun’s last edge separated from the horizon, she opened her eyes.  

“A-Ani?” Shouto asked incredulously, wanting more than anything in the entire world—in his entire life—for her to be real.  

He lifted a hand to her face and cupped her very real face. With his right thumb he made the smallest scrape that quickly healed itself.  

She threw herself at him and he caught her, nearly stumbling back in disbelief and incredulous happiness.  

Like a wave crashing on the shore, a cheer erupted around them and Ani buried herself tighter against him. He clutched her closer, engraining every detail of her weight, her warmth, her scent, her feeling, her being into himself. He was whispering, murmuring her name over and over again like a prayer, sinking to his knees with her wrapped in his arms. He felt her look up over his shoulder and could hear their family and friends eagerly calling to them but he didn’t want to let go.  

“You’re...you’re okay,” Shouto said with a soft, broken sob and his voice cracked. “You’re he-ere.” 

He could feel the smile in her voice. “You waited for me.”  

“You came home,” he murmured, saturated to his core with happiness.  

Ani pulled back only far enough so she could look into his eyes. “Nowhere I’d rather be.”  

With a rough half-laugh, half-sob he pressed his forehead to hers and closed his eyes.  

Chapter 150: The Journey Home

Chapter Text

Ani didn’t need a physical mind or body to understand the rippling effect of eliminating quirks would result in the death of millions— billions —of lives lost. They were suddenly wrestling through an empty eternity, struggling to control the direction of their travel and the flow of their energy.  

Thunder rumbled.  

Ani felt herself unravel into threads of experiences that wove through trillions of other threads and she could start to make sense of the things she was seeing around herself. Memories—past events happening over and over again in endless loops twisting and retwisting into the future she had existed in moments, days, years ago.  

Endeavor dying. 

Her brother graduating from medical school.  

Returning tests to her students.  

Being attacked by a large wolf in the forest. 

Attending her parents’ funeral.  

And then the memory-events began to expand, encompassing things she hadn’t experienced and she realized she was being rolled through pasts that didn’t belong to her.  

Uraraka and Midoriya’s first date.  

Togota’s brush with death trying to save Eri.  

Eri’s graduation from UA.  

Midoriya defeating All-For-One. 

What was happening?  

Every part of her non-existent being pulsed with pain as thunder rumbled again, almost in time with her pain and…her heartbeat…?  

Fission was still howling, suffering under the same torture he’d put Ani under as they were both forced to suffer against a rising, stretching tide that washed the visions in a fog. 

She could hear see feel other people, people she loved, as they tossed and turned in the sea of time. The threads of their existence connected with hers and began to twist. Ani understood: they were trying to rescue her, to pull her out of this fabric but in doing so they unraveled other parts of time and menacing forces slipped through. She could sense the danger leeching out and the clash of power.  

An eternity of experiences weaving without the passing of any time.  

Ani knew the window was closing. The safety of everyone in that moment of time was at risk and the threads were severed.  

Ani was drowning. Set adrift to be pulled through time at Fission’s will again as he searched for the crucial moment to stifle out all quirks.  

Drowning  

Drowning 

Her life long forgotten in the sea of infinite lives lived over an endless horizon extending in every direction, inside, outside, through her. A cacophony of the sweetest melodies.  

Everything. 

And nothing.  

As Fission continued to dissolve and reassemble parts of her and drag them through time her heart soared longingly for comfort. For love. 

 

 

  Mom… she thought aimlessly. Dad … 

 

 

Mom…  

 

 

Dad…  

 

 

 

“Did you hear that, Amai?”  

 

 

 

Ani felt her heart skip a beat. She knew that voice... 

But it was impossible. She was dead.    

 

 

 

“Hear what?”  

“…I don’t know…I could’ve sworn I just heard Ani…”  

 

 

 

Mom ?! 

 

 

“I heard it again!” Ani’s mother sat up suddenly alert in the passenger seat.  

From the driver’s side, Ani’s father smirked and put a hand on her forehead. “You feeling alright, sweets?”  

She swatted his playful touch away. “I’m serious Amai.”  

“Okay,” he said, features setting seriously. “What is it?”  

 

 

Mom…can you…can you hear me?  

 

“Amai, pull over—Yes, Ani! Ani?!” She urged her husband. “Pull over!”  

“What? Here?!”  

“Yes! It’s happening!” Starting out the dark windows as if her daughter was going to appear along side their car she said “Ani? Ani! What’s wrong honey? Where are you?!!”  

I…I don’t know…  

“Amai Pull! Over!”  

He gestured wildly with his hands. “We’re on the highway Hinode! There’s nowhere to pull over !”  

“Ani? Sweetie? I need you to tell me where you are. Are you hurt?”  

No…I don’t know…I’m not sure… Longing filled Ani’s heart at the very real moment of which she was suddenly a part. Where are you guys…what’s happening…?   

Her mom sucked in a tight breath. “Amai. Something’s happened to Ani, we have to go home.”  

“Hold on, Hinode, what’s happening?!”  

“I don’t know!” Her normally calm mother was slowly unravelling with panic at the unknown. “I’m talking to Ani somehow and she doesn’t know where she is or what’s happening.”  

“Okay, so call home—” he handed her his cellphone but she fumbled, dropping it between the seats and her panic became infectious.  

“Damn it, I’m sorry Amai!”  

Ani could see rain that had been drizzling building up and her father switched on his headlights. A sense of dread pervaded Ani’s being and the feeling must have translated in whatever way she was communicating because her mother only became more frantic.  

“Amai, please turn around!” she pleaded desperately, trying to pull the phone out. “Ani’s in trouble! I can feel it and we need to go home! We can go out for dinner a different night!”  

“Okay, okay,” her dad answered hurriedly and veered toward the closest exit off the highway. He swerved to avoid another exiting car. The rain pummeled the road.  

Friction Failed.  

Ani watched in horror watching the car crash in the accident she realized was the one that would kill her parents.  

No Ani’s heart broke. Like a camera zooming in to tighten a shot, Ani searched for her parents’ faces as the car came skidding to a stop. There was blood and broken glass and twisted metal.  Ani found the fading, wide worried eyes of her mother that seemed to focus back on her.  

“A-Ani…?” she asked weakly.  

“Mom,” Ani wept, hands appearing mistily like an apparition.  

Her mom frowned. “I-Is that…really y-you?”  

“Mom, I’m so sorry—this was my fault—”  

“Shhh…no, no, honey, I tr-tried to…to…”  

Ani glanced at her father whose face was buried in the expanded airbag. She would have given anything to be able to drain her own blood and save the lives of her parents but she knew the shards of glass would pass through her vaporous arms if she could even pick them up. She had so many questions for her mom, so many things she wanted to say.  

“Ani…it’s okay…” she smiled weakly with the shine of pride and a flicker of understanding in her eyes. “I-I told you....”  

“Told me what?” Ani asked, heart breaking. She heard sirens in the distance and knew the time was running out; her parents had been found dead on the scene.  

Her mom lifted a hand to her gaseous face. “You’re st-ill…so…beau-ti-ful…”  

“This is all my fault—” Something stopped the words in her throat: a grip tightening around her throat. As the life faded from her mom’s eyes Ani was ripped out of the moment back into the space of time where she could feel Fission’s ominous presence.  

In a fury she turned her consciousness toward his, grasping for him as they were tossed and turned in a roiling sea of time, and began to fight back. Fission’s own consciousness was distracted, his energy drained. And when he opened the vein to take energy from Ani’s regeneration again 

She fought back.  

As if they were in a tug of war, Ani grabbed onto the line of power and wouldn’t let go. They were orbiting a point of power that must have been All-For-One and Fission knocked her off for a split second, slamming her into something solid.  

Ani clutched her throat again as she gasped for air and felt cold tile against her skin. She looked around and saw she was somewhere else now, knocked from the slip of time until Fission came and found her again. She was sitting on the floor in a hallway…it looked familiar but she couldn’t place the calm gray walls. Was it a hospital?  

Forcing herself to her feet, she saw the doors were spaced too far apart. Papers hung from the walls advertising campus events.  

It was a college.  

Using the wall for support, she shuffled along hoping to avoid the nearest set of doors propped open and she heard a professor mid-lecture. Her feet moved without thinking the moment she recognized the voice.  

Standing in front of the lecture hall was her mother, pointing to a screen—some presentation she was giving, some research. Ani stood in the doorway, dumbfounded. Her mother looked so much younger.  

A student asked a question and Ani’s mother turned, answer at-the-ready until she saw Ani. She paused. Her students began to glance back to see what their professor was staring at; Ani couldn't care less about the sudden attention. After watching her mother die seconds ago, she felt like she was seeing a ghost.  

Clearing her throat, their professor said “I think we’re going to stop here today, everyone. I’ll follow up online.”  

There was a murmur of confusion but the students quickly packed up and left, not wanting to miss the opportunity to get out of class early. Ani slowly walked down the aisle as the students streamed past to where her mother was waiting in the front of the lecture hall.  

“D-Dr. Shida…” she greeted hesitantly. She didn't want to say anything, not knowing if— 

With a mystified look up-and-down, her mother said “Ani…”  

Ani slowly nodded. “How do you know?”  

“I’m your mother.” She smiled softly. “I’d know you anywhere.”  

She opened her arms inviting Ani in for a hug for which Ani leaned in. She expected to be another intangible vision but Fission must have dislodged her from time entirely. The feeling of her mother’s warm embrace was enough to make Ani dizzy. 

“How strange…” she murmured, cupping the older form of her daughter’s cheeks, and Ani could see the woman’s brilliant mind working. “Given your—” she smiled fondly “—matured features…I’m guessing this is how you look in the future?”  

Ani swallowed the lump in her throat and nodded, unable to speak.  

Gesturing to the closest seats, her mother said “come and sit. You’ve got to have a good reason for being here. What’s going on?”  

Ani knew where to begin. “I have to warn you, mom: don’t go out to dinner with dad.” Ani rushed to relay the details of that night. “It’s—it’s your anniversary, several years from now, and you’re going to get into a car crash and die. Both of you. A-and it’s my fault, I never knew it but it’ll be my fault that you crash, because you’ll think I’m hurt or in trouble and you’ll try to help me but it’s—it’s my fault—” Ani was sobbing and her mother’s features creased with sadness. 

“Ani…even if that’s true…I’m not going to not help you.”  

“You have to.” She met her mother’s gaze imploringly. “For my and Aino’s sake—”  

“Ani.” Her mother’s stare was hard but not cold. Unyielding with a love that Ani recognized. “You are my daughter. I love you more than I could ever say...and I'll never not help you if you're in trouble.

"One day you’ll understand that love is an instinct. It’s not something that can be ignored. It’s like a beacon that will guide every one of your decisions and to deny it is to deny oneself entirely."

Ani listened with every fiber of her being, hanging on to her mother’s every word.  

“Life is meant to be lived. And whatever future you’ve seen waits for me…I won’t live in fear trying to avoid it.” She smiled, sadness deepening her pupils. “Especially if my passing at that time has lead you to become such a strong, beautiful woman. The moments leading to your appearance here can't be changed. But what happens after...that's still up to you."

 “I just miss you so much…” Ani whispered sadly.  

Her mother nodded slowly. “And I’m sure I’ll miss you too in whatever happens after death. But I love you with all of my heart…time won’t change that or take it away. It’ll just be up to you to hold onto it for both of us.” She opened her hand for Ani to take though suddenly neither could feel the other’s skin. 

Ani could feel Fission’s presence returning.  

“Trust in yourself, Ani, and that love you have for others. And when the time comes, trust in the love they have for you, too.”  

Sound catching in her throat Ani mouthed the words ‘I love you’ to her mother as she was pulled from the moment.  

“I love you, too, Ani,” her mother said and the moment was gone.  

As Ani was towed back into the sea of time from Fission she weighed her mother’s words. There were so many things she wanted to do, wanted to see and be a part of...but...her mother was right. There wasn’t anything she wouldn’t do to save the people she loved...her mother hadn’t hesitated though she knew what fate awaited her.  

Perhaps it was Ani’s turn, too.  

There was something only she could do in this moment—if it could be called a moment—to save the future she was a part of...and time was strange. She understood the paradox of meddling in the past. To prevent something from happening alters the future; that same future that would allow a return to the past to stop the event...and it would just lead to the same future. Either way, there was only one choice for Ani. 

With a renewed sense of purpose and direction, Ani chased the line of energy as Fission as ripped apart her being. This time Ani didn’t fight it. She gave in to the flow of power and the moment her body was regenerated she seized the power. The control.  

Remembering everyone whose future was at stake should Fission succeed, she let her love start a tug-of-war and aimed to pull everything out of Fission. She wasn’t going to let him destory everyone she loved, even if it cost her life.  

His own energy and motivation fought back founded in a determination he spent lifetimes cultivating. But against an all-encompassing love...a primal feeling so deep to Ani it felt like it had no beginning in or end...Fission’s will gave way. His resolve crumbled in the face of her overwhelming determination and Ani took the power from him.  

As All-For-One became her power she took the other quirks from him, too, including that with which he was born. Immortality lost, his body crumbled to dust in the vacuum of time.  

The overwhelming sensory overload intensified a hundred times over. She couldn’t control it, couldn’t harness it or direct herself. There was too much happening all at once. It was too much for any one person to yield. It pushed her regeneration to its limits as she was suspended aimlessly in the intangible ocean of time. Part of her recognized the beauty of this. The power was contained. It would burn through her over and over again but it was contained. No one could reach it here and the ability to travel through time altering past and future...it would be forever unreachable. It was okay that she couldn’t find her way home. She accepted it...welcomed the idea that if she stayed suspended here in time, everyone she loved would be safe.  

This was the sea of time…and Ani was drowning yet frozen. Cycling and stuck. 

It all made sense yet nothing did at the same time. 

Everything. 

And nothing.  

Something caught her attention among the chaotic emptiness of everything else she was experiencing. A beam of sunlight striking through a forest canopy...the first glimpse of a rising sun... 

It touched her and warmth trickled through her veins, reassuring her that she still had a body, until it lodged in her heart. The gold light turned red, twisting into a thread that began to tug on Ani through the sea of time. For a moment, she feared the worst. That a villain had found a way to snatch her from time to steal the power. And then she felt the tugging...the emotion vibrating through the single strand and knew from whom this strand came.  

Shouto.  

Fear filled Ani for she knew what happened the last time he tried to rescue her from this intangible place, the evil that slipped through. But this feeling was different. She remembered her mother’s words and chose to trust in the love at the other end of this lifeline.

She held tight to the connection and allowed herself to be pulled. More threads reached out through the sea of time, winding together and twisting twisting twisting until the single thread became a cord. A cord that pulled her in a specific direction and she gave in, trusting that it would lead where she hoped.  

It was a rope now. Each fiber of the thick lifeline connecting her to someone in that moment of time reweaving her physical existence back together until she began to sink like rain.  

Touch.  

She could feel the cold morning air on her skin.  

Sound.  

A gentle wind rustling through a crowd.  

Taste and smell... 

Ash dirt fresh air asphalt sweat morning dew  

And finally:  

Sight.  

A pair of eyes—one dark, one iridescent blue—wide and waiting as she opened her own.  

She was home.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

Still in their embrace, Shouto saw Ani’s attention shift to the friends and family waiting for them at the edge of the crater. He followed when she took his hand and stayed by her side as they were absorbed into the overjoyed crowd. Shouto watched with a strange sense of relief that was so powerful it nearly made him detached. 

There was something in her eyes as they swept the crowd...she was looking for someone specific. When she saw the young silver-haired hero, and threw her arms around Eri, her eyes relaxed infinitesimally. Shouto knew Ani’s face well enough to see the moment Eri rewound her body back to before Fission took her, thus forever dispelling All-For-One and the other quirks. No one could take that power now. It was gone for good and he saw relief in Ani’s eyes... 

Until they fell on Aino.  

Shouto didn’t know how to describe what he saw in her dark blue irises as they focused on her older brother—he could see Aino didn’t know how either—and he wanted nothing more than to get her out of the spotlight. Everyone wanted a piece of her attention if only for a moment. Ani seemed determined to acknowledge and accept as much affection from the crowd as she could—he would understand later it was because she felt all these people helped save her. Parting ways with the crowd, answering the police’s questions it took longer than either of them wanted. Longer than Ani's energy could stand, really.  

Their friends kept the reporters at bay as they finally returned to UA. Ani was on the verge of collapsing when she stepped into her apartment but it was just the three of them now: Ani, Shouto, and Aino. Everyone else had gone.  

They wanted her to sleep but she couldn’t. She had to get the words out now or she never would.  

“Ani...what is it?” Aino asked, breaking the tension. “What’s wrong?”  

Everything she experienced in the sea of time washed over her again. Tears were already flowing as she answered “it’s my fault, Aino...”  

Her brother’s brow furrowed. “What is?”  

Ani remembered the feeling of being suspended in an intangible ocean, every sense left deprived until there was nothing but primal feeling.  

Ani couldn’t look at either of them. “It’s my fault they died.”  

“Who?" 

Slowly, painfully as it took all her energy, she lifted her eyes to her older brother’s and admitted the devastating truth. “Our parents.”  

Shouto could see the painful reality sinking into the surgeon as his shoulders slumped and the struggle of their past creased his face.  

“How?” he asked in a raspy whisper.  

Through tears Ani explained. Aino listened. Ani broke down into sobs begging for his forgiveness and Aino didn’t hesitate to draw her in for a hug.  

Shouto heard Aino’s murmurs of comfort and words of forgiving reassurance. Gasping for air between shuddering sobs Ani’s energy finally gave out and Shouto helped catch her before she hit the floor. He carried her limp, passed-out body to bed and tucked her in.  

Aino was waiting on the couch, sitting with his head in his hands.  

Shouto wished he was better with words.  

“I don’t blame her,” said Aino, voice aimed at the ground. “She won’t believe me but you have to. You have to so you can remind her over and over again that I don’t blame her. It wasn’t her fault. Not really.”  

Shouto nodded as the surgeon’s tired eyes rose. “I do. And I will.”  

They stared at each other in a thick but not uncomfortable silence for a long moment, everything they had endured—Aino, Ani, and Shouto—filling the air with meaning.         

“I saw the ring.”  

Shouto’s throat tightened and he scrambled for words.  

“I’m sure you were waiting so you could tell me together.”  

“I was.”  

A smile spread across Aino’s worn expression as he rose from the couch and clapped his future brother-in-law on the shoulder. “I look forward to the official announcement.” Making his way to the door he added “our parents would approve.”  

Shouto’s chest tightened as he watched Aino leave, neither of them needing to say more. He quietly returned to Ani’s bedside and brushed hair from her sleeping face. She was home.  

She was home.  

Chapter 151: Sorry I disappeared...

Chapter Text

I have every intention of giving this story a proper ending, I've just been dealing with health/family issues. It's coming eventually

Chapter 152: One More Time

Notes:

Thank you thank you thank you for waiting so long for this. I debated posting in smaller chunks but wanted to just give it all to you guys at once. Things are still kind of hectic and I wasn't sure that I'd be able to post regularly like I used to and I didn't want to leave you hanging in the middle of something. I also realize that this could have been a whole other arc but again, life status, I wanted to make sure the story came to a proper close. I hope you enjoy ♥️

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Hey.” Shouto’s soft voice pulled Ani from sleep.

She squinted against the backdrop of the bright morning sun to see Shouto as he crouched at their bedside. He gently brushed her cheek.

“I have some things to take care of but I’ll be back later, okay?” At her groggy nod he added “just stay in bed and get some rest.”

To that she pressed her eyes shut and nodded again. He slipped away with a light kiss good-bye and the promise of return.

 

The apartment was still bright but quiet when she fully opened her eyes. Lack of motivation to get out of bed plagued her as the image—the very real no-longer-left-to-her-imagination image—of her parents dying replayed over and over again.

She cried unrestrained. Her brother’s words did little to touch the tormenting guilt threatening to wrench her in two.She would have stayed in bed all day but the world wasn’t going to be so kind.

Someone knocked on her door.

She contemplated ignoring it but since she was on campus there were only so many people it could be. Unashamed of her abysmal state she dragged herself to the door, surprised to see—

“Uraraka,” Ani greeted in polite confusion.

“Hi Ani-chan,” the brunette said with a bright smile meeting Ani’s eye. “I’m so sorry to bother you…especially after everything that’s happened the past few days.”

“No, no, that’s alright…what’s going on?” Ani asked.

Uraraka grimaced. “Well…It’s just…It’s Yaoyorozu.”

Ani frowned. “Yaoyorozu?”

“Yes.” Uraraka played with her own fingers. “I know the two of you don’t get along but she’s really distraught and wants to apologize to you.”

Ani bit her tongue. She almost asked for what but feared the words would come out too jaded.

“She’s been beating herself up over everything that’s happened and when we almost lost you, again¸ she was drowning with guilt and thought she wouldn’t get the chance to make things right between the two of you…so…” Uraraka took a deep breath. “I was wondering if you would go talk to her—a-and I could come with you if you’d feel more comfortable!”

Drowning with guilt…

Ani’s throat tightened; she knew that feeling all too well in this moment. If it was any other time she supposed she wouldn’t give Yaoyorozu any consideration…

“Okay,” Ani quietly replied.

Uraraka’s big brown eyes widened. “Really?”

Ani nodded. “I just have to get changed.” She didn’t love the idea of spending any time with Yaoyorozu but Shouto was busy and staying in the apartment by herself would give her own guilt free rein to eat away at her. Besides…maybe it was possible to make amends with the ravenette and dispel the bad feelings between them.

The corners of Uraraka’s mouth pulled back in a wide smile, grateful for the chance Ani was giving Yaoyorozu. “Thank you Ani-chan!”

Ani nodded and left the pro-hero in the hall while she quickly changed. As she reached for her phone she caught sight of the new ring on her finger. Aside from the black band around her wrist, it was the only accessory she wore. Without hesitation finished getting ready, leaving it on. She wasn’t going to hide her engagement; Yaoyorozu was just going to have to deal with it.

“Yaoyorozu said she would meet us at a café near campus so you don’t have to go too far into the city and deal with the public after everything that happened yesterday,” explained Uravity as they made their way toward UA’s main gate.

Ani nodded. “That was thoughtful of her.”

“Mhmm,” agreed Uraraka with a giggle; the brunette was getting lighthearted with the chance for her best-friend to redeem herself. Uraraka gave an overly animated wave to Yaoyorozu who was waiting at the gate dressed in civilian clothes. The black-haired pro waved back stiffly as they walked up and Ani wondered if this was a good idea after all.

“Hey Yaoyorozu,” Ani greeted in reservation.

“Hey Shida,” Yaoyorozu replied with equal restraint. An awkward tension lingered in the air as Yaoyorozu stared blankly at Ani.

Uraraka practically squealed as if some life-changing conversation was happening and looped an arm with both of the other women. “Come on. We’re going to make everything right,” she said dragging them down the sidewalk and patted Ani’s hand, pausing the trio when she felt the delicate engagement ring. “Oh. My. Gosh.”

She took Ani’s hand in her own and gushed “Ani-chan! You’re engaged?!

Ani blushed under the girl’s reaction and nodded. Uraraka showed Yaoyorozu who was surprisingly…unaffected.

“Congratulations,” the ravenette said indifferently.

Uraraka was grinning like a giddy, hormonal teenager as she started dragging the two women down the street again. “I can’t wait until I get a cutie of my own!”

This was weird.

…Didn’t she…

Uraraka continued dragging the two women down the street with a frivolous air but Yaoyorozu seemed like she’d rather be anywhere else. Ani tried to reason with herself that maybe the ravenette wanted to wait until they were somewhere private before she started talking.

But then why would she suggest going to a café?

“Which café are we going to?”

“Oh just a cute little place that’s not too far,” cooed Uraraka. She pointed, arms still looped with both women, and added “it’s just up here around the corner.”

Ani looked ahead trying to see what place Uraraka could be talking about when it hit her.

Cutie. Not Izuku.

Ani-chan. Not Shida-san.

The details had been small, easily missed in Ani’s own foggy emotional state.

This wasn’t—

“Time to go,” Uraraka grinned with a sickening gleam in her eye as a van swerved in front of them. The doors flew open.

Ani dug in her heels and tried to twist her arm out of Uraraka’s grip—though by now she knew it wasn’t Uraraka.

Toga.

Just like that day so long ago in her apartment the flesh sloughed off to reveal the manic blonde whose lithe movements outmaneuvered Ani.

A pop from inside the van—Ani felt like she’d been punched in the gut.

A pair of hands wrapped clapped a wet towel over her face as she was dragged and shoved into the van. The air turned to sandpaper against her exposed skin, trapping her in place on the floor, as more familiar faces appeared above her:

Solid Sound.

Frik.

Hogo Sareta’s ‘family’ that had been arrested and locked away in Tartarus…

Yaoyorozu joined the group and sat like a zombie. The last thing Ani saw was a humanoid-wasp in the driver’s seat.

Her senses numbed

And she passed out.

 

 

Ani knew she was in trouble before she opened her eyes. Not just because she’d been kidnapped. Not just because her kidnappers were a collection of people whose lives she had ruined. And not just because her coldest rival was helping said collection of people. No.

Ani knew she was in trouble from the rolling sway of the ground beneath her. A boat.

They’d taken her to a boat.

A sliver of doubt tried to reason this was a coincidence. There’s no way they could know that Ani could drown. But the rest of her...the part that had been fighting these people for far too long...knew it was an empty hope. She stifled the nausea clawing at her gut and opened her eyes. The only other person locked in the windowless room with her was, unsurprisingly, Yaoyorozu.

Exchanging a knowing look Ani’s worst fears were confirmed.

“They’re going to kill us,” she whispered.

Yaoyorozu’s eyes fell away. “Yes.” There was a strange stiffness to her posture and it didn’t escape Ani’s notice. Only the pro’s face seemed to be able to move freely.

“What did they do to you?” asked Ani in a fearfully hoarse voice.

“I’m surprised you even noticed anything was wrong.” She smirked sardonically. Dejectedly. “I thought you hated me.”

“Oh, I do,” Ani assured her. “But you’re probably the closest thing I have to an ally right now.”

“You mean your guard dogs aren’t going to come looking for you?”

Ani glared at the woman with a retort hot on her tongue but the words haulted at the sad look in Yaoyorozu’s eye. A look that was locked onto Ani’s black bracelet before glancing up at Ani then looking away.

The heat of Ani’s retort died away as she felt the full difference in their situations. Even as Ani was careening through time the day before, she had Shouto’s love as an anchor in her life. She could trust him and knew that to her core. There was no doubt in her mind that no matter what stood between them--a villain, an ocean of time, or an actual ocean—Shouto would always come for her. He would always fight for her and protect her and love her.

Just as she would for him.

It was something she didn’t take for granted.

“You finally get it, don’t you?” sneered Yaoyorozu sadly. “He only has eyes for you. You can do whatever you want...abandon his agency...fuck another guy...and he’ll still love you and do anything for you.” She sniffed, fighting the tears that wanted to fall.

“You’re right,” admitted Ani. “But you’re forgetting that I would do the same for him.”

“Tch. Yeah right,” spat Yaoyorozu.

Ani’s brow furrowed and her eyes narrowed with thinning patience; the implication wasn’t lost on Ani. “I’ve seen the video Yoyorozu.”

The ravenette looked up with a flash of surprise in her eyes she quickly hid. “What video?”

The video. Of every time you’ve made passes at Shouto. The video he threatened to release, after you blackmailed us, that showed you sexually harassing him over and over again. The video he was willing to release though it would subject him to so much more scrutinty as a male sexual assault victim than you as the assaulter!” Ani’s yell echoed in the small metal box and Yaoyorozu’s face blanched. Ani started to cry—not for herself but for Shouto. “You have no idea what he’s been through. You’ve never respected his feelings and I hate you for that. Maybe I always will. But we can hate each other later okay?” Her eyes scanned the blank walls for antyhing. Cameras, cracks, microphones. “Can we please just agree to help each other out of this so we can keep hating each other forever?”

“Sure,” growled Yaoyorozu through gritted teeth. “Except you’re missing one thing: I. Can’t. Move.”

Realization dawned on Ani. “They infected you with a parasite.”

“Yepp.”

Ani looked over the pro hero and asked “can you still use your quirk?”

 

 

 

“Are you ssuurree we can’t keep her and just hide out somewhere?” Toga pleaded with the bald woman. They had never been fond of each other but it was slim pickings for Toga now that the League was gone. Sure, Ani was at fault. But she could still play with the blonde, toy with the heroes for a bit, too. But no. The others were too hell-bent on revenge and taking away the heroes’ biggest asset.

They dismissed her again and she begrudgingly followed them below deck to bring the two prisoners out. She twirled as they opened the door and helped wrangle a struggling Ani up the stairs.

“I wanna know how you did it,” purred Toga in Ani’s ear making her tense. “How did you kill Shiggy? Kurogiri? And Twice?”

Ani was grunting, struggling against the silent muscle dragging her along from the other side.

“Let her speak,” hissed Toga, unsure which of them was gagging their prisoners.

No.” The bald woman gave Toga a cutting look over her shoulder as she and the wasp led a much more willing Yaoyorozu up the stairs. “We’re not playing any games. We’re doing this quickly so there’s—”

“Yeah yeah, no time for any mistakes,” Toga grumbled. Under her breath she mumbled “Shiggy would have at least made the girl suffer a little bit.”

“And look where that got him,” Frik replied.

Ani must have caught sight of the crew tied up in the bridge because she started fighting even harder.

“Stop that!” Frik said with a harsh slap across Ani’s face. She was ripped from Toga’s arms as the silent guy threw her to the ground and pinned her there. “Now, you’ve got a decision to make: throw the pro-hero overboard or we’ll kill the whole crew.”  

The bald woman squatted down over Ani. “You ruined everything. You killed all of our families—” she gestured to the wasp, Toga, and herself. “—and if I had my way, I’d kill all of yours but I’ll settle for killing you, instead. And your archenemy here was kind enough to tell us just how to do that.”

Yaoyorozu averted her eyes from Ani though she couldn’t move her body.

“So think about it…this woman…this bane of your existence,” she pointed at the ravenette who shivered in the cold wind whipping across the open water. “She’s told us how to kill you. You’re going to die either way…so choose to kill her and we’ll let the crew go. Or keep your hands ‘clean’ and we’ll kill the crew.”

Ani panted as the invisible restraints loosened enough for her to reply. “Wow…the trolley problem.” She grit her teeth, pressure closing back in. “Didn’t realize…you were so…profound…”

“Tch.” The bald woman sneered. “You’re really going to use your dying breath to patronize me?”

Ani glared back, unable to speak.

“You’re not going to play this card.” The bald woman narrowed her eyes and flicked Ani’s wrist with the black band. “I can’t figure out how to get this off but it doesn’t mean we’re going to let you stall for time until your fuckin’ guard dogs sniff you out.”

 

 

 

 

 

Ani gulped as she stared up into their eyes. Yaoyorozu’s words echoed through her mind.

 

They are not here with an elaborate plan.

 

Make your choice!” roared the bald woman.

 

They have one goal in mind: revenge. Revenge for everything you’ve done.

 

Ani rose slowly from the deck, a heavy weight in her heart as she looked at the hostages tied up to the bridge.

“Shida, please.” Yaoyorozu clasped her bound hands together. “Don’t do this.”

Ani turned to the ravenette pro hero, face creasing in regret.

“Please, Please, don’t do this!” begged Yaoyorozu.

The wind tossed Ani’s hair as she quietly said “I have to.”

“No. Shida! NO!” Yaoyorozu’s expression twisted pleadingly as her body didn’t fight back. Ani led her to the edge of the boat.

“I’m sorry.”

Ani pushed.

One shove and the pro hero was gone. Her scream carried on the wind, cut off by a loud splash. The boat’s engines roared to life and Ani stared out over the horizon for a single moment before hands were upon her.

“No! Stop! Let me go!!” She fought back—tried to fight back—but it seemed like evevry villain on deck needed to get their hands on her. They wrestled her back and threw her to the ground.

“Stop! Let them go! You promised to free the crew!!” screamed Ani. She thrashed against all the people who grabbed her as they stretched her arms flat across the deck. Sheer panic flooded Ani’s expression. Toga was feral with gleeful anticipation.

“Have you really not noticed?” sneered Frik.

The commotion paused as Ani met the bald woman’s eye, gleaming with victory. Over her shoulder Ani saw into the bridge where the crew...

Was up and moving freely.

“They were pretending, you naiive idiot.”

Dread filled the nurse.

The villains around her seemed to move in slow motion as they returned to her extended arm—the arm with a black bracelet. A glint of light drew Ani’s attention and panic burned through her.

“No! NoNoNoNONONO—!!!!”

“Don’t worry,” said Toga, voice dripping with derision. “You’ll regenerate.”

The butcher’s knife fell and Ani’s scream pierced the air.

 

 

“Damn you half and half bastard!”

Shouto was surprised he could still hear Bakugo over the rushing wind, the crashing waves, and the continuous explosions and ice launching the two pro heroes across the open ocean. Didn’t matter. He ignored him. Midoriya’s green lightning zipped beside them as the three of them chased the signal of Ani’s tracking bracelet. They were closing the distance. So close. Though there was nothing on the horizon—and it triggered a sick feeling in Shouto’s chest—the signal was strong and clear: Ani was still out there. Still out here. Still alive.

Still alive.

Still alive.

This wasn’t the first time and it wouldn’t be the last but he was going to get to her. He could reach her. Save her.

It didn’t matter that they clearly dropped her in the ocean. They could tell because the signal, which had been travelling rapidly in a steady direction, suddenly stopped. It was still picking up her vitals except for a strange gap right before that. They didn’t know what it meant; had they stopped her heart and resuscitated her? Done something else?   

It didn’t matter. She was still alive.

“We’re almost there!” he shouted over the roaring wind, glancing at the screen of his watch.

Bakugo and Midoriya closed in on his sides. They were approaching quickly. Shouto’s eyes scoured the waves and if it wasn’t for the tracking device he would have missed it: the head of hair bobbing in the waves.

The black hair.

He created an iceberg that lifted Yaoyorozu from the water where he, Bakugo, and Midoriya landed together. Yaoyorozu was sobbing, dripping wet as Shouto feverishly looked around for Ani.

“Ani? ANI!!”

“Sh-Shouto,” Yaoyorozu said through broken cries and chattering teeth. “I’m so—I'm so sorry—She—”

A trembling, wet hand clutched his forearm and drew his attention from the dark threatening water. He saw guilt in Yaoyorozu’s eyes as she pulled back her sleeve to show him

The black

Tracking

Bracelet.

His eyes widened in abhorrent understanding.

“Why?” He asked in a slow building fury. “Why do you have that?!”

Tears rained down Yaoyorozu’s cheeks as she spluttered “sh-she made me. She made me take it knowing they were going to throw me overboard! A-and she knows you won’t give u-up on her.” Yaoyorozu was sobbing now. “She knows you’ll keep looking for her and ha-has no doubts you f-find her.”

Midoriya gently put his hand on her shoulder over the inflated life jacket as Shouto scanned the horizon in dreadful longing. A ship appeared but he knew it was Froppy and the other pros and sidekicks coming to help. Shouto was back on the phone in an instant.

“Cipher, the tracking signal wasn’t coming from Ani—no, no, I’ll explain it later—I need you to plot a course for the ship based on it’s previous trajectory and figure out where it’s going. Ani’s still on the ship!”

Yaoyorozu’s sobs masked anything Bakugo and Midoriya might have over heard from the other side of the call.

“Yaoyorozu, we have to get ready to jump,” Midoriya said as Froppy’s chip charged closer at full speed. Midoriya effortlessly lifted her up to the deck; Bakugo and Midoriya followed. Shouto was still focused on the screen of his watch listening to Cipher as the information appeared.

If they maintained their direction they’ll have gone this way!” Shouto shouted over his shoulder as he aimed his watch and prepared to leap. Bakugo appeared at his side. Sea birds cawed overhead and Anima called out for the pros to wait.

Ice nearly crystalized in the air around Shouto with his impatience but he could see the distress under Anima’s mask.

“The birds! They saw something in the water!” He paused, listened. And turned pale.

Shouto could barely hear him across the deck.

“...They found severed limbs.”

 

 

 

 

 

Ani was numb. In part because pain had overloaded her system and also because her arms and legs had been cut to various lengths, ensuring that when, not if, they threw her overboard she would drown.

At least the clouds were peaceful right now.

“A little bit farther and we’ll be out of the current that took her hands,” shouted one of the crew members.

“Hear that?” Frik kicked the stump of her right leg. Ani’s pain receptors were too far gone to register anything. “We’re going to be untraceable momentarily.”

 Toga sat on the ground holding Ani’s head in her lap, running her fingers through Ani’s hair with a deranged mixture of hate and affection as she kept injecting Ani with caffeine. It kept her too awake to regenerate and she had barely regenerated enough to stop the bleeding.

“I’m so sad we couldn’t work together. You’ve got the sweetest blood I’ve ever tasted. And you’re so powerful.” She sighed. “Dabi was all about you, too…could have had some powerful kids.”

Ani stared into the sky.

“Though I’m sure you think you got the better Todoroki.”

There wasn’t a doubt in Ani’s mind. For her, Shouto wasn’t just the best Todoroki…he was the best everything. He was coming for her, she was convinced, and she needed to find a way to help him. To do whatever she could to get to him.

 Toga kept talking to Ani as if they were old friends as she played with her hair until Frik loomed in Ani’s vision.  

“Time to go.”

“No! NO!” Ani screamed. Four pairs of hands lifted her from the deck—it seemed like each villain was determined to have some part in this—and she tried to fight back but there was little she could do. The pain was overwhelming. A physical pain from which she couldn’t escape.

There was no moment of glory or victory. No ceremonial speech. Not even a parting word.

With a swing and a heave the villains threw her over the side of the boat. Her momentum carried her up where she hovered for a moment before gravity yanked her down into the bottomless sea.

Ani flailed her stumps with as much coordination as she could muster to keep her head above water but the waves, especially in wake of the ship, kept splashing over her. Panic thrummed her heart as she struggled to catch her breath and hold onto each one as long as possible.

Darkness clawed from below.

There was nothing but emptiness all around her and it drove the panic deeper into her soul. Her body was burning the oxygen faster than she could recapture it. She inhaled water.

Coughing, gasping, the water pressed into her lungs leaving her mouth gaping silently for air she couldn’t breathe.

Her muscles burned and the failing movements succumbed to the darkness drawing her down.

Glimmering light.

Bubbles dancing in the opposite direction.

The sea was peaceful. Beautiful from this direction. A silhouette slithered across her field of vision as she sank further and further down, consciousness fading to black.

 

 

 

 

Ani felt the familiar skip of her heart as a familiar voice called her name. She looked up from her computer at the nurses’ station and blushed. Shouto was standing there, politely ignoring the stares of all the other ER staff, holding a cup.

“I brought you a coffee,” he offered shyly.

“Thank you,” she said with a growing smile as she accepted the cup. “This is so thoughtful.”

 

 

 

 

“I promise it would be so amazing to have you work for us, not to mention it would be really helpful to have you around because our boss seems really distracted lately and we’re all pretty certain it’s because of you—”

“Alright Aves,” Shouto interjected with a heavy blush. “That’s enough.”

Ani bit her lips trying to contain the smirk as she watched her boyfriend get flustered under his sidekick’s rambling.

“Just yesterday M.I. was tinkering with the gym equipment for who knows what reason and the whole thing broke apart nearly exploding and launching pieces all across the gym—”

“Is he okay?!” Ani asked, cutting her off this time. “Was he hurt? Was anyone else hurt?!”

A small smile lifted the corner of Shouto’s mouth and Aves positively beamed.

“See!” she insisted. “You already care so much about us!!”

 

 

 

Ani screamed and awoke to Shouto clutching her against his chest. Her scream quickly broke down into sobs.

“Let it out,” he softly encouraged.

Between broken cries and dry heaves Ani recounted the nightmare in which the League of Villains succeeded in kidnapping her from her apartment. A version of events when Endeavor didn’t make it in time to save her.

She could feel the terror gently subside as Shouto walked through the steps her therapist had given her and she slowly fell asleep in his arms.

She woke up in his arms, too.

Shouto was already awake when she woke up. “Sho...I told you, you don’t have to wait for me to wake up. I’ll be fine.” She could see he wasn’t convinced. “Look...I know you blame yourself because your brother was involved. But I promise it’s not your fault. You are not a curse. On me or my life. Okay?”

His eyes fell away, returning to hers when she cupped his cheek. “You are not responsible for what they choose to do. It is not. Your. Fault.” She kissed him softly. “I love you.”

He pulled her into a tight hug after that, hiding his face as he ended up being comforted by her when he’d wanted it to be the other way around.

 

 

 

“Shouto!” Ani said happily but her brow furrowed at his expression. His face was an impassive mask but his eyes were lit with hatred as he stared down at the degenerate mere inches from the ruffles of Ani’s skirt.

“Mineta.” Shouto’s voice dripped like venom. “What are you doing.”

“Heh, hey there big guy! I was just coming over to say hi! I haven’t had a chance to talk to your lovely girlfriend yet!”

Ice slowly crackled the short distance between them and crept up the rock troll’s legs. The purple creep started panicking, trying to pull his legs out but he was already trapped in place. Shouto stepped around and protectively drew Ani against himself.

“Keep your hands to yourself, lowlife.”

Ani could feel heat and cold rolling off her tense boyfriend as he led her away from the frozen troll through the party that hadn’t noticed anything wrong.

Happiness blossomed in her chest shining out in a bright smile for him.

Shouto took Ani out onto the balcony and turned his attention to her.

“You came,” she said reverently. She held his gaze for a long moment, both of their eyes glittering with reflections of the city lights.

“Sorry I’m late.” He brushed her hair back over her shoulders as he cupped her face and went in for a kiss.

“You’re right on time,” she said smiling, feeling complete, as their lips met and held the contact for as long as they dared at the party. When he pulled back, she looked at the green tailcoat, striped pants, and ruffly ascot. “The costume looks amazing on you.”

“Thanks,” Shouto smirked. “I forgot the hat.”

She draped her arms over his shoulders and played with the base of his hairline. “You’re here. That’s the most important thing.”

 

 

Ani stared down through the glass square in the floor.

“Look at that one!” she practically squealed as she waatched brightly colored fish darting through the coral. There was a window in the floor of their private cabin over the water but as Shouto came to sit with her it was effortless to tear her eyes away to look at him.

The setting sun caught the white half of his hair making it glow.

“What?” he asked hesitantly as she gaped for a moment.

She closed her mouth and smiled shyly. When the blush touched her cheeks his brow lifted.

“What are you thinking about?”

“I was just thinking about our first picnic together...on the roof of my old building...”

“What about it?”

Ani smiled with a shake of her head. “Nothing.”

“Ani...” his voice dipped, starting to worry. They held each other’s gazes for a moment.

She finally offered “I’m the luckiest woman in the world.”

 

 

 

 

Ani sighed. “I can’t believe we have to go back tomorrow.” She looked up at him with a playful pout. “Can’t we hide away here forever?”

He leaned in and gave her a tender kiss. “I would happily hide away with you if the world was going to be safe.” He hugged her, steam rising into the cold night air around them.

 

 

 

 

A hike to a scenic overlook.

 

 

 

 

A beach vacation.

 

 

 

Moments dripping together like drops of rain to form a storm. Distant yet familiar.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Not this room again was the first conscious thought Ani had. She would have laughed if she wasn’t so tired because—though the thought was cynical—there was something beautiful about it. A clear sign from the universe that Shouto’s and her fate were tied together, though often braided with a third strand of pain and suffering, and they would always find their way back to each other. Their existence was inexorably intertwined.

The last time she woke up in this room she was recovering from an injury inflicted by Hogo Sareta. Her internal organs had been turned to jelly as she shielded Shouto from a fatal punch. And Shouto was here, waiting for her.

This time she was alone. She knew she’d had to regrow all of her limbs which must have taken a long time. Who knows how long she’d been here. Hey, at least she was alive.

How...

How was she alive?...

An ICU nurse appeared by her bedside, alerted by the change in her vital signs.

“You’re awake,” she said in awed relief. Out into the hallway she called “page Dr. Shida!”

Ani understood why she was in Dagoben instead of Musutafu; her brother must have wanted to keep a close eye on her while she regenerated. But that meant—

“Ani!” Aino appeared faster than she expected—her mind must have been moving slowly, still foggy from the extended regeneration. “You’re...you’re alright.”

He leaned on the side of her bed trying to catch his breath as he was nearly brought to tears.

“Aino...” Ani whispered dryly and patted his head with a flushed, pink hand. “I’m alright. Okay?”

He nodded under her palm, unable to look up and meet her eye.

It made something sick twist her gut.

“Aino...” she forced her words out. “Where’s...Sho...?”

He looked up, wiping the tears that were falling freely now. “He’s gone...He just...Stepped out for a bit—”

Ani exhaled heavily, relief washing through every vein of her new limbs. “Geez, you scared me!”

Aino grinned stretching his tear-stained cheeks. “Come on Ani, you know how tough your fiancé is. You know he—” Aino stopped at her shocked expression. “What?”

“F-fiancé?” She swallowed guiltily. “You...know?”

“Yeah, sorry,” he said with a sheepish grin. “I saw the ring. Well, before...” he glanced at her hand and Ani followed it reflexively.

Her left hand was bare.

Of course it was.

Her hand had been cut off ...what? Did she expect the villains would have removed the ring and mailed it home for her?

Guilt prickled her chest.

“You know Shouto’s not going to give a fuck about that, right?” Aino asked in a voice so stern it made her look back to him with a blush.

“I know...” she answered through pursed lips. “It’s just that I feel naked without it...”

“Let’s change that, then, shall we?”

Ani’s heart leapt up into her throat; the heart monitor betrayed her by loudly announcing the spike in her pulse.

“Shouto!” she nearly leapt out of bed but Aino grabbed her, forcing her to stay put. She didn’t want to stop the tears that came readily. She reached out for him flexing her fingers and he quickly complied, letting her wrap him in a tight hug as Aino slipped out of the room.

“I’m so sorry,” she whispered.

He shook his head tickling her nose with his hair. “There’s absolutely nothing for you to be sorry about.”

Ani started breaking down as Shouto pulled out a small box from his pocket and slipped an identical engagement ring on her finger. Shouto held her until the ICU doctor came in to examine Ani. No one was surprised when she was cleared for discharge.

Aino walked them to a discrete exit where she and Shouto could slip out without being caught by the press. Ani knew Shouto’s agency and UA already released a statement of her recovery on her behalf and she didn’t have the heart to face anyone else right now.

“I don’t understand…” Ani said softly when they were driving along the streets. “How did you save me?”

“I didn’t,” he admitted honestly.

Ani frowned thoughtfully, trying to consider who else could have saved her life. She had so many questions but instead of leaving the city and returning to Musutafu Shouto pulled up to Bakugo’s agency.

“…Bakugo? Did he save me?” she asked warily.

“No. There’s someone waiting here to meet you. Well, meet you properly. And we’ll explain everything after that.”

“Okay,” replied Ani in a small voice. She followed Shouto through the halls to find the ash-blonde sitting outside his office.

“How’s it going, blondie?”

Snapping out of her spiraling speculation, Ani met his eye, surprised and relieved to find apathy instead of disappointment. Friendship instead of hatred. Any hard feelings she expected to see after ending their intimate relationship weren’t there.

How was this hothead so much more mature than he seemed?

She gave him a thumbs up and they shared a smirk, the presence of the digit answer enough. She motioned to him with that thumb looking at Shouto. “Is this bum who you brought  me to see?”

“Oi! Who’re you calling a bum?!” he barked and Ani laughed. Shouto smirked but it fell away quickly.

“No,” he answered with a reservation Ani didn’t understand.

“He’s in here,” offered Bakugo as he stood up and motioned for them to follow him into his office. Ani glanced at Shouto who was staring after the ash-blonde and followed the two of them inside where Kirishima was waiting, too. A flicker of movement in the corner caught Ani’s eye.

A dark-blue haired man slowly rose clutching a faded baseball cap in his hands.

“Ani-chan,” he said with relief shining in his eyes.

“Watch it,” warned Bakugo at the overly friendly name.

The stranger blushed and dropped his gaze. Ani looked across the group who were watching her with varying degrees of caution.

“Ani...this is Irezumi,” Shouto introduced and the man bowed. “He’s the one who saved you from drowning.”

 

 

 

 

Ani’s eyes widened.

The shadow she’d seen when she was sinking...instinctively she assumed it was a shark or some other kind of aquatic predator but no. It was a person. This person. And the only place someone could have found her so quickly like that was if they came from the boat. The boat that was crewed by people working with the villains.

No wonder they had him here under a tight watch.

Confusion pressed in on her mind from every side and Shouto could see it. He took her hand and led her to the couch; everyone else took a seat, too.

“What happened?” Ani wasn’t sure who she was asking.

Irezumi cleared his throat in a request to speak and Shouto nodded. “Ani—I, I mean Shida-chan...If I may?” He waited for her nod, too. “I’m a fisherman. I work, well...used to work...on the boat you were being held captive on...It was destroyed in the battle after you were thrown overboard...Anyway, we were hired to take a group of people on a fishing tour...but by the time we realized what was happening it was too late.

“We didn’t know those people were villains...they weren’t infamous enough for us to recognize and they threatened our families. I’m so sorry, we—” he was cut off by a warning look from Shouto. Irezumi gulped, collecting himself.

“No,” Ani gently interjected, giving Shouto a reassuring look. “I want to know all of it.”

Irezumi held her gaze for a moment, his expression folding sadly. “We didn’t want to be a part of it...we didn’t want to help them hurt you or that other hero, but they threatened to hurt our families if we didn’t play along. The other crew members begged me not to interfere. They know I don’t have any family left…and...and I did my best...but when they threw you overboard...I couldn’t let you die. Not after what you’ve done for me.”

Ani’s brow furrowed. “What I’ve done for...you?”

Irezumi nodded with a reserved smile. “I guess I shouldn’t be surprised you don’t recognize me...you’ve saved so many people, after all.”

“Ani,” Shouto’s deep gentle voice pulled her attention. “Do you remember saving someone trapped under a car after the tsunami in Choshi?”

Her blue eyes widened with understanding and recognition. She remembered him now. He’d been lying a pool of his own blood when he looked up at her and spoke her name.

“That was you?”

“It was.” He nodded, fiddling with his hat.

“Thank you for saving my life, Irezumi,” offered Ani.

“You’re welcome.”

Ani watched the fisherman carefully. There was something about his expression that mirrored the way she found him that day. Aside from the obvious pain of being trapped under a car there was something in his eyes as he recognized her. Something she saw again in this moment, too.

“Irezumi…did something else happen?”

He finally met her eye. “What do you mean?”

“I would be dead if it wasn’t for you and yet you look guilty…as if the scales between us haven’t balanced…is there something else?”

“Shida-san…do you remember anything from being rescued?”

Ani shook her head. “No. I remember seeing a shadow above me in the water and then I passed out. Well, I had a bunch of dreams while I was unconscious but those could have happened while I was in the hospital, too.”

“They weren’t dreams.” He held Ani’s eye. “They were memories.”

 

 

 

 

 

Shouto ran as quickly as he could racing Bakugo and leaving a trail of icebergs in his wake as he followed the line of seabirds across open water.

Sure enough, just as Anima said, they led him to two heads bobbing in the water. A man and—Ani!

They were lifted out of the water onto an iceberg in an instant; Ani’s limp form held by the stranger. Shouto sucked in a tight breath and Bakugo cursed.

Ani’s hands and feet had been cut off reducing her arms and legs to stumps of varying degrees. The man recognized Shouto and relinquished Ani to him the moment he touched down.

“She needs CPR!” he said. “I did as much as I could in the water!”

Shouto acted upon all the first-aid lessons Ani gave his agency. Her body expelled the water and started breathing normally again but she didn’t wake up. He wasn’t surprised given her state.

“Oi…half-and-half…” Bakugo said with a dangerous lilt to his voice. “Does this fucker look familiar?”

Shouto glanced up and followed his peer’s line of sight to the dark-blue haired man who’d saved Ani. He stared for a long moment until a woman’s face surfaced in his memory. He didn’t recognize it right away because the lighting in the strip club’s back room was dark but their hair color was exactly the same.

 

 

 

“You don’t remember…but you crossed paths with my sister…when you were kidnapped. And she erased your memory,” explained Irezumi. The look on Kirishima’s face—it still wasn’t common knowledge that she’d lost her memory—mirrored her own surprise.

“You’re…” Ani felt her mouth dry. “You’re her brother?”

Irezumi nodded. “To make it simple, she always told people she was erasing their memories…but it wasn’t entirely true. She couldn’t erase them. She just transferred them. To me.”

Hope dared to glimmer in Ani’s heart. She held her breath.

“And…if you’ll let me…I can give them back to you.”

Ani’s head spun and Shouto steadied her shoulders. Her memory. Her memory. Their memories. She looked up to her fiancé…all of their years together. Could she really have that back?

“Shinsou’s already interrogated him. He’s telling the truth and he means you no harm,” Shouto assured her.

“The…” she licked her lips nervously. “The memories…I had when I was unconscious…”

Irezumi nodded. “I gave those back to you without thinking while I was holding you in the water. I was so stressed I didn’t realize I was doing it.”

Ani covered her mouth.

“Ani…” Shouto cupped her cheek. “Would you like the rest of them back?”

She let her eyes close, tears fall, and nodded.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*Epilogue*

Aino slipped between the canvas flaps of the tent and was met with a chorus of greetings. He made sure to return each greeting—giving Hana a kiss, too—before letting his gaze fall on his little sister.

She was glowing.

Positively beaming in the cream lace dress, barefoot as she said heels were absolutely not an option for walking in sand. The bouquet of pink roses and pale blue daises rested in a glass vase on the table behind her.

“Ani…” he said with a big smile and glassy eyes.

“Alright, we’re going to give you two a moment.” Glace, Ani’s friend and old ER coworker, ushered everyone out of the small bridal party tent.

“How do I look?” she asked giving a little twirl.

Aino chuckled, pulling her in for a hug. “You look beautiful.” She hugged him back.

“Thanks for being here. For doing this.”

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world,” he quietly assured her. Though it was muted through the tent they could hear the excited babble of wedding guests taking their seats down the beach. “You know Mom and Dad would be happy for you, right?”

Unable to speak she nodded, clutching him tightly.

 

 

 

 

 

The sand was warm between her toes. Aino’s arm, strong. Firm.

All of their friends and family gathered but she only looked at him.

Shouto.

He waited for her at the edge of the water in his tan suit, pant legs rolled up. Aino kissed her forehead before slipping her hand in Shouto’s and they stepped into the waves where the minister waited. Standing in water up to the middle of their shins they exchanged their vows.

Promises to continue.

Commitments to endure.

Though the words hardly felt necessary.

With everything they’d endured for each other and with each other, their love was secured long ago.

When it was announced Shouto could kiss his bride he swept her into his arms and dipped her for a kiss in the rising tide against the setting sun.

Sealed together.

Forever.

Notes:

If you made it this far, over 400k words and 150 chapters I hope you'll share a moment with me. I love writing and have been writing for a long time but this is the first thing I've shared publicly; public being a loose term as it's anonymous. I've written several novels and have convinced a few family/friends to read them but it's been nothing on a scale like this. 'Forever Shouto' was an experiment to challenge myself in multiple ways--and perhaps most importantly to express my OBSESSION with this 2D man--and see what it was like to have other people read my work.

It's been thrilling.

My goal is to create stories that draw people in. I want to take readers on an emotional rollercoaster and get them addicted to my words. Hearing that I've made you laugh and cry, that you've read my work at all has been empowering.

The fact that you used your time to read my words...I'm honored.

If you have feedback for me, please share it (keep it constructive!) because I want to improve.

When I started writing this story two years ago (because it took me a few months to build up the courage to start posting), I never imagined it would get this far. It's because of your love and support and encouragement that I've pushed through.

My dream is to have a novel published. Sharing this with all of you has fueled my hunger for that dream. Thank you so so much for being here with me. May my words find you again ❄️♥️🔥

 

P.S. I joined Tumblr cuz that's something ao3 authors do? Idk, come talk to me if you want: shoulmate