Actions

Work Header

Wolfish Awakening

Chapter 4: Coming to terms

Summary:

Now that night has arrived, Player must come to terms with the reality of what Ephemer is now; ever since the incident with the werewolf.

Notes:

Hi guys, this chapter is another interlude chapter where Player comes to terms with what Ephemer has become ever since the incident. One might say this is a stall tactic while I decide on a story around Ephemer's training to master his werepyre powers, which would include Master Ava revealing his promotion to Union Leader, since I don't want to wait till I figure it out to release this chapter. If you have any suggestions on what it should be, feel free to drop a suggestion at curious cat, under the user name Maxieprodmoore. With that said, let's get on with the story!

Chapter Text

Wolfish Awakening Chapter 3: Coming to terms

 

“It’s getting late,” Ephemer noted, more to himself than addressing Player.

 

 Do you want to take a walk outside?” Ephemer asked, now turning back to Player.

 

“Enjoy a little sea breeze before we return to our rooms for the night?”

 

To say that Player was thrilled to wrap up the day with one final tender moment with his foster brother was an understatement. After being alone for so long, any further moments to genuinely enjoy comradery was something Player wanted to savour to the last.

 

“Sure!” Player enthusiastically told him.

 

“Alright. Let me change into something much more appropriate.”

 

Player was expecting Ephemer to just put on a t-shirt & shorts for this beach walk. Hence he was surprised when Dandelion boy simply wore a pair of dark navy blue swim shorts with lux star patterns layered all over it.

 

 “I’ll explain to you later,” Ephemer assured him.

 

But Player was adamant. There was no way that he would let Ephemer bare himself just for the sake of an explanation, assurances that he’s fine be damned. He’d endure it with him. So having made up his mind, Player told Ephemer of his need to settle some matters first; returning later in his swimming attire. (The swim shorts avatar part).

 

Though protests were made, Player stuck to his guns & a while later, the two boys light portaled their way back to the Daybreak town beach.


 

The chills from being shirtless at night struck Player quickly as he came through the portal onto the sandy grounds of the beach area. Indeed, it took Player all of his willpower to not vocalise the shivering he felt at the moment. When he turned to look at Ephemer, Player was surprised to see that Ephemer wasn’t showing any signs of being cold. Worst still, his shadow was now in the shape of some human-ish werewolf…  with wings. Large wings capable of flight. Player backed away slowly; was this still Ephemer he was looking at? Or someone else posing as him?

 

Just then, a breeze blew through the area; eliciting a shiver from Player. He managed to keep himself from voicing the thought. Not enough, though, to keep Ephemer from sensing that something was wrong, for he asked:

 

"What's the matter, Player?" Now turning to face his companion, only to note Player shivering despite maintaining his bravest face.

 

"...Oh. Sorry, Player," Ephemer added, now sporting a sheepish grin. “I’ve forgotten how cold it can get at night under normal circumstances. But don’t worry, I have a fix for this.”

 

With that, Ephemer focused; & summoned a fireball onto his left hand. When he tried to approach Player, however, he was dismayed to find out that Player had started staggering back.

 

“Player?” Ephemer asked, concerned.

 

“Stay away from me! W-Whoever you really are!” Player all but shouted, tears in his eyes & Starlight now summoned to hand & brandished at his direction.

 

“Player…” Ephemer whispered, his head bowed down.

 

“You really don’t see me? You… You look at me & can’t see me, because of what I’ve become?” A pause followed. “Do you have any idea what that’s like?” Ephemer managed to say, hoping for a response. But Player remained silent, still fearful.

 

“Granted, I should have tried sending you a letter explaining that I’m fine that time around instead of just relying on dreams to tell you...,” Ephemer whispered, more to himself than to Player. Though Player heard it nonetheless.

 

“Regardless, I’m not a projection, Player. I’m right here. Standing in front of you…” Player now turned, his attention perked.

 

“Please… Just… just see me.” Ephemer pleaded, now sporting puppy eyes.

-----------------------------

 

Player walked forward hesitantly. Was this a ploy to lure him forward so they could kill him or silence him in any way?

 

Still, as far as he could tell, Ephemer felt the same as the boy he encountered that day… Might as well try to sense his actual presence.

 

With that, Player came forward, grasped Ephemer’s right hand & closed his eyes to focus.

 

The presence Player felt was warm; just like the presence he felt around Ephemer the first time around. But Player was determined to poke around some more; he had to find out for himself if Ephemer was really still himself.

 

The other stuff that came into his mind’s eyes surprised him. It was two other “Spirits”. One in the shape of a typical Werewolf Heartless that he’d first encountered at the realm where the Castle of Dreams was located. The other was a bat-like being, red eyed with no pupils, but calm. Before Player’s astonished eyes, the two spirits merged into one; and sat there with Ephemer’s presence/spirit. Neither at odds with the other. Just a step away from having their arms one over the other’s shoulder, in fact.

 

It took a while for Player to process this information. But once it did, Player could only look to the side to drain off the flood of emotions he felt before looking back at Ephemer again. Once he did, Ephemer & the werepyre spirit beamed at him as Player opened his eyes once more.


 

“Ephemer?” Player whispered, his eyes wet once more. 

 

“Hello Player,” Ephemer replied warmly, now extinguishing the flame & wrapping Player’s body in a hug. “It’s good for the both of us to be back.”

 

“Yeah. It’s been too long,” Player told him as he returned the hug, to the pleasure of the two watching Chirithies in the coconut tree nearby.


 

Series this work belongs to: