Actions

Work Header

Domino Effect

Summary:

“Attention, everyone!” Tenya shouts into the nearly empty 1-A classroom. “Somebody has been leaving unauthorized flyers in students’ shoe lockers! In the future, please refrain from doing so unless you have been given special permission from a teacher beforehand!”

“What does the flyer say?” Asui asks with a curious tilt of her head. “I didn’t receive one in my locker.”

“Same,” Todoroki says. “I didn’t see any loose papers or anything when I was over there.”

Tenya stops waving his hand. He pauses before answering. “I’m… not sure. I didn’t actually look to see what it says.” Tenya’s brow furrows. “Did you two really not receive any suspicious articles in your lockers this morning? Just me?”

~~

After news spreads that a student in their class has received a love letter from an admirer, several students in class 1-A are inspired to take their own actions to confess their feelings to their crushes.

Notes:

this is my first time writing anything in four years (THANKS DEPRESSION) pls be gentle with me!!! let's do this!!!!!

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Secret Admirer

Chapter Text

“Attention, everyone!” Tenya shouts into the nearly empty 1-A classroom. “Somebody has been leaving unauthorized flyers in students’ shoe lockers! In the future, please refrain from doing so unless you have been given special permission from a teacher beforehand!"

Tenya holds one of the aforementioned papers in his hand and waves it around for the small handful of students to see. Several pairs of eyes follow the piece of paper as it flutters through the air.

“What does the flyer say?” Asui asks with a curious tilt of her head. “I didn’t receive one in my locker."

“Same,” Todoroki says. “I didn’t see any loose papers or anything when I was over there.”

Tenya stops waving his hand. He pauses before answering. “I’m… not sure. I didn’t actually look to see what it says.” Tenya’s brow furrows. “Did you two really not receive any suspicious articles in your lockers this morning? Just me?”

The two of his friends nod in reply.

“Hmm. Let me take a closer look, Iida-chan,” Asui asks as she holds out her hand for the paper. “I have an idea of what it might be…”

Tenya hands her the mysterious paper as Todoroki walks over to join his friends.

Asui turns the folded piece of paper over in her hands and then she sees something that makes her gasp quietly.

“I had a feeling. Iida-chan, this is a love letter.”

Tenya splutters in shock. “How do you know that?”

“Look here.” Asui points at the sticker that’s keeping the paper folded. “It’s a heart sticker.”

“How could something this important end up in my locker, of all places?”

“Because it’s for you?” Todoroki says.

Tenya’s eyes widen, and his face heats up at the idea of someone confessing to him. “That’s--! That might not be what’s happening here! Maybe we’re misinterpreting… It could be something else entirely!”

“You don’t think it’s a love letter?” Todoroki asks, concern etched in his brow.

“I’m not dismissing the possibility completely, it’s just…” Tenya’s words drift off.

It’s not that Tenya dislikes the idea of somebody at his school giving him a love letter. In fact, he would be extremely flattered and happy at the idea of someone liking him! It’s just, well--he can’t help but have his doubts about it truly being meant for him.

“It’s just…” Tenya says again. ”The idea that someone I know might have feelings for me? It’s… challenging for me to really imagine.”

“I don’t think it’s a hard thing to imagine,” Asui says adamantly.

Tenya looks at Asui with wide eyes. She smiles reassuringly at him.

“If you open the letter, I think it will ease some of your doubts,” Todoroki says kindly.

Tenya nods and looks down at the folded letter in his hands. He stares at the little pink heart. He can feel his fingertips beginning to tremble nervously.

“You don’t have to read it in front us if you don’t want to,” Todoroki reassures. “You can read it somewhere private or wait until later?”

“No.” Tenya shakes his head. “I would like to read it now. I’m much too curious to wait.” He smiles and glances at Todoroki and Asui. “Besides, being surrounded by my friends gives me courage.”

Todoroki and Asui smile warmly at that.

Tenya looks back down at the note in his hands and he takes a deep breath.

He opens the letter and begins to read silently to himself.

 

Dear Iida,

I REALLY like you!!! You are extremely admirable and smart and handsome and manly and strong and kind! You are an amazing person. It’s only natural that I would end up falling for you! I wish that someday soon I’ll be able to tell you in person just how wonderful you are and how much I like you. Perhaps then I’ll be a braver man and worthy of offering you my feelings. Until that day comes, I will continue to admire you from afar! I hope you can forgive me for my cowardice.

With my dearest respect and affection,

Your secret admirer ❤

 

Tenya finishes reading the letter. He reads it a second time and a third time.

He’s interrupted during his fourth reading when he hears the voices of Midoriya and Uraraka approaching.

“Good morning, Iida-kun, Todoroki-kun, Tsuyu-chan!” Midoriya greets cheerfully.

“G’morning!” Uraraka grins, but it starts to drop as she notices the intense mood in the air. “What’d we miss? It looks like we missed something.”

Midoriya stands close to Tenya’s side. “Iida-kun, is something wrong?”

Tenya lightens his grip on the paper in his hands and looks up. He attempts to speak but his mind is scrambled. “Uh.”

“Iida-chan received a love letter,” Asui announces just loud enough for her friends to hear.

Midoriya and Uraraka both make surprised noises.

“Whoa!!”

“A love letter?! That’s so cool!”

Midoriya asks the question on everyone’s mind, including Tenya’s. “Who is it from?”

Tenya looks up. His friends listen eagerly.

“It says it’s from ‘your secret admirer.’”

The group of teens answer with mixed reactions.

“Aww!” Uraraka exclaims sweetly.

Asui makes a displeased noise at the lack of a name.

Todoroki hums thoughtfully.

“Ohhh,” Midoriya mumbles with awe in his voice. “I wonder who it could it be from?”

Tenya is definitely interested in knowing the answer to that question too. The fact that there is someone he knows and shares the same school halls with who holds onto such dear feelings--soft, and kind feelings--directed towards him...

It’s wondrous.

Although…

Tenya can't deny that he already has a crush on someone.

If Tenya is completely honest with himself, when he thinks of such warm feelings, he can’t help but imagine the face of a certain red-haired boy. A certain strong-willed boy with the brightest smile he’s ever seen. A certain boy that makes Tenya feel dizzy in the head and fuzzy on the inside but in the best and happiest way possible.

He imagines for just a second what it would be like if that certain boy wrote this letter for him.

That would be… really nice.

“Iida-chan?” Asui says, startling Tenya out of his thoughts.

“Yes, Tsuyu-chan-kun?”

She smiles. “I wish you the best of luck.”

“Yes!” Uraraka exclaims brightly. “Congratulations, Iida-kun!”

Midoriya grins, his eyes shining. He touches Tenya’s shoulder. “I’m so happy for you, Iida-kun!”

“You deserve this, Iida,” Todoroki says with a soft smile. “We’re here for you.”

Tenya gapes at his friends’ words before he huffs out a quiet laugh. “You guys... I’m at a loss for words. Thank you!”

The group of close-knit friends continue to chat and encourage their best friend, basking in affectionate encouragements and hopeful wishes for the future, until the time comes for them to take their individual seats for the start of homeroom.