Actions

Work Header

In Sickness And In Health

Summary:

On the way back to the lodge Jack finds a small sick boy trembling in the corner of a alleyway. He decides he’s unable to leave him there so takes him back to the lodge, he and the Newsies make an attempt to nurse little Charlie back to health, But he takes a turn for the worse and it all comes crashing down.

Notes:

I don’t know where this came from but Crutchie (Charlie) and Jacks relationship is more brotherly then lovers. In this Davey and Katherine already know Jack. And Jack is a few more years older the Crutchie.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter Text

After a long day of selling papes in the streets of New York, Jack Kelly was just glad to be able to head back to the lodge to warm up. It was particularly cold this winter so many Newsies were finding the cash to stay in the lodge even if it meant they had to double up in beds or sleep on the floor. Anything just to keep them warm. Jack trudged the familiar path his feet crunching in the snow which was no longer as beautiful having been trampled on all day. Passing by an ally he heard a loud hacking cough, this stopped Jack in his tracks. He knew he shouldn’t but something just drew him towards the loud cough. Curled in the corner was a small young boy who was nicely covered in a thin sheet of snow shivering. The poor kid was practically skin and bones and was wearing nothing but a old tattered shirt and shorts. His skin had a blue tinge to it his lips were cracked and bloody.

“Hey? Kid?” Jack said walking towards the small figure. “Youse okay?” There was a quiet groan from the figure and relief washed over Jack, the kid was alive. The blonde boys hazel eyes fluttered open and he turned to face Jack and gasped pushing himself further into the corner. “Hey- I’s ain’t gonna hurt you kid..youse a freezing! How long youse been out here?”

”I live here.” Crutchie states his voice raspy and no more then a whisper.

“Where’s your parents? Theys probably worried about you..”

”Theys are dead..” The blonde whimpered tears pricking his eyes but he refused to cry wiping them away. Jack could only assume his parents passing was fairly recent and he had no where to go hence the reason he was living in an alleyway. The small boy gave out another hacking cough. Jacks eyes widened at the crimson speckles now on his shirt and trailing down his mouth.

“You kid? Youse a comin’ with me. I know somewhere youse gonna be safe. I’m an orphan to I gets you..” he speaks softly “you think youse can stand?” Jack attempted to help him up but the blonde boy weakly shoved him away.

“I’s can do it myself!” He delcared rising shakily nearly collapsing, Jack was there to catch him. He really was so thin, the Newsies were thin but Jack made sure they all had at least something in the stomachs, but this kid had bones jutting out of places Jack didn’t even know had bones.

“Youse real weak kid. It ain’t gonna hurt to let me help you..”

“I ain’t weak!” He said dismissively. This kid was as stubborn as Jack Kelly himself.

“Aight Aight! Let’s go.” Jack signalled for him to follow and slowly but surely the kid did. It took twice as long to get to the lodge with the pace the kid was walking at. “Was your name kid?”

“Who says i’sa got one?”

”Oh Don’t be like that. I knows you got one.”

“Charlie..Charlie Morris.” He finally says after a few moments.

“There we go!” Jack said with a smile. “The names Jack Kelly.” Instantly Charlie’s face lit up.

”Youse the real Jack Kelly?!” His excitement triggered another coughing fit causing more crimson to slip from his mouth.

“The one and only. Hey kid- calm yourself though. Youse gonna Make yourself worse..” now that he had started he just couldn’t stop, the kid began to wretch into then snow. Jack couldn’t even imagine how painful that must be since the kid was wretching on an empty stomach. “Charlie-...we need to get you to a doctor.” He says softly “had I not found you today..you could be dead by tomorrow...” Jack placed a hand on the swaying boys forehead, he was burning up? Despite Charlie’s protests Jack scooped him up into his arms, the kid hardly weighed a thing and began running towards the lodge at a fast pace.

Upon a arriving Jack exclaimed loud and clear.

“Oi Race! Clear a bed will youse?”

“No way! Wes paid for these!”

“I’m serious Race.”

“Oh- who’s this kid?” Race said staring at the small blonde boy

“His name’s Charlie, But now ain’t no time for questions he’s real sick and needs help.” He looked at the boy in his arms who was losing conscious. “Stay with me kid Aight?” Race rushed over to Jacks bed clearing it off before Jack placed him down. “Specs, need you to go gets us a loaf of bread or whatever youse can get wid this money. This kids skin and bone.” He said tossing him a few coins. Specs nodded obediently and hurried off. “Race get me some cool water and a rag.” He demandes the poor kid was really burning up. “Davey! You have a thermometer at home right? Go get it. And Romeo! Go get some extra sheets.” Once they all had their orders they dispersed.

They soon arrived back in the mean time Jack had offered some of his cleaner clothes to Charlie who just slipped them in over the top for the time being for extra warmth. Jacks shirt could had gone around him twice. “Youse lucky I found you. You don’t look real old either.”

”I’s just turned 11.” Jack seemed surprise he was young but Jack thought he was younger. With his frame and height he could pass as 6 or 7. He was three years younger then Jack who was 14. 

“I got it Jack!” It was Davey to arrive back first holding the thermometer.

”Aight kid, youse gotta open your mouth.” Charlie shook his head. “Charlie don’t be so stubborn. Wes tryna help you.” Hesitantly he opened his mouth. “103 degrees..”

”Thats real dangerous Jack..he needs a doctor..” Davey said softly. 

“No-No Doctor!” Charlie exclaimed weakly. 

Race was the next to arrive back lugging a bucket of water. Jack took a rag wetting it from the cold water in the bucket and ringing it out. Jack began to wipe the cool sweat of the boys face. He frowned “wes gonna see how he does Aight. If he’s not better by Tuesday wes gonna get a Doctor.”

”what if he doesn’t make it?” Davey frowns.

”If he takes a massive turn for the worst tomorrow, wes get him a doctor then.” He says as Romeo arrives back with the blankets and lays them gently over the sick boy. 

“Why’s youse being so nice to me? Youse don’t know me. I could be a murderer.”

”We do as Jack says and what Jack says goes.” Specs says arriving back with the food. 

“You ain’t no murderer right?” Romeo asked. Charlie shook his head. 

“Us orphans gotta stick together Charles.” Jack said ruffling his hair, Charlie offered a weak smile in return. “Can you try eat something for me? It will help you recover I promise.” He says breaking a chunk of the bread off handing it to the sick boy who hesitated but took it nibbling at it. “Atta fella.” 

After Charlie slowly but surely devoured the bread the kid looked exhausted.

”Youse should sleep.”

”Can’t.”

”Y’know what helps me sleep at night?”

”What?” 

“One day i’s gonna run away to Santa Fe. Is a beautiful place Charlie. You’d love it there...”