Actions

Work Header

Make It Right

Summary:

Detective Park Jimin encounters a former partner, Jungkook who betrayed him three years ago and whom he thought he killed.
However, Jimin fears it won't be the criminals who are the greatest threat, but the man he is still hopelessly in love and his own stupid, stubborn heart.

Chapter Text

Output was a hot popular westernized club in Busan targeting Hi-so, meaning wealthy young adults, male and female, foreign and native and businessmen. It was not a place he would ever consider but the club held memories he wanted to forget.

His eyes scan the place as he moves through the drunk bodies grinding and dry humping each other filled with musky, floral scent and alcohol. The muted purple, green, gold and pink lights cast him. He dressed as he would any other day- matching black jeans, shirt and a black blazer with his 22 Glock positioned on the holster. Despite the casual dressing, he wanted everyone to know who he was and what he was, a man of the law, showed by the visible badge.

As he sat down at the bar, he cast his eyes on the bartender, a cute young male who recognized him instantly. The bartender finishes up with what he was doing and quickly makes his way towards where Jimin was sitting.

“The usual?”

“Yes.”

The young man gives him a soft smile and leaves to fetch him his drink. He was not on duty, but still, he knew it was safe to remember where he was. His kind was not welcomed. He felt eyes watch him from the shadows. Watching and goading.  The young bartender places a bottle of Cass, in front of him, locking eyes with Jimin.

“Things are hot tonight, hyung” he mutters, leaning over.

Jimin cocked an eyebrow. He picks up the bottle and takes a sip, placing it back on the counter, as his eyes look around. The Young bartender was right, security has increased, three more stood guarding the VIP entrance where there usually would be two. Someone important must be here or arrived.

He clears his throat, turning back to the bartender, “What do you think it is?”

The Young man looks past him, “We’re about to find out?”

Following his gaze, Jimin turns around. He froze as a young man dressed in entirely in a black suit, as the two security with him parted the crowd. He must be dreaming. Rage boiled deep within him, as the grip on the bottle tightens, his knuckles white. Unwanted memories invaded his thoughts, and his eyes flared.

“Son of a bitch,” he mutters underneath his breath.

“Are you- “

Jimin got off the stool and made his way towards the young man in black who was heading towards the VIP entrance. He didn’t know why. All he knew was that the face he was seeing belonged to the man, who betrayed him three years ago. A man he mourned but never forgot.

“Jeon Jungkook!” he shouted. Hands, strong and firm, wrapped around the gun, he managed to pull out of his holster without thought.

Screams fill the club, as everyone moved towards the exit, and the two security with the young man in a black suit drew their weapons as well. The young man turned to face him, Jimin took shallow breaths.

It really is him?

A bitter smile pulled at Jungkook lips, and yet he did not look surprised to see Jimin. He grounds his teeth and clenched the gun.

“What is the meaning of this Officer?” says one his security. His words pulled Jimin out of the shock, back into reality, as everyone watched him.

“That should be my question?” he roared back, mentally urging himself to calm down. Anything goes wrong and he would be in deep shit. He was on enemy territory.

“You? You are supposed to be dead!”

Jungkook blinked, staring at him, unnerved. His large brown doe eyes pierced right through Jimin, sending a chill down his spine. He was staring at a familiar face yet it everything about him felt different. He was the bad guy.

Without uttering a word, he gestured for his man to put their guns away, something Jimin could arrest them for but his focus right now was Jungkook. He wanted to know how he was still alive. He shot him with his own hands.

“Any reason why you are pointing a gun at me?” he asks.

Jimin bit his lower lip, glancing around as everyone watched him with fear in their eyes. He sighs, withdrawing his gun.

“What the hell is going on?”

Jungkook stares at him for a second, “If there is no reason that we have nothing to discuss, Officer,” he says, coldly, turning back.

Jimin’s eyes shot up, burning with fire. His gut twisted tighter. He didn’t know what he hated more. The fact that he was staring the dead man he once loved or the unsettled fluttering in the pit of his stomach.

Chapter Text

Jimin drops the file on his desk as he sat down. He was exhausted, from lack of sleep. He spent all night waiting for Jungkook to come out of the VIP section and confront him. Not sure what he wanted to hear from him? But he just needed an explanation. He could’ve forced his way in, but he wanted to avoid making a scene. He was given a chance to back to Gang Task Force after everything that happened three years ago, that lead to him quit. But none of that was what stopped him and deep down, it scared him to think of the real reason. The incident three years ago took the lives of three detectives and the life of Chief Detective Min, the father of the current Chief Detective, Min Yoongi. He shakes his head, clearing his thoughts, so he can focus on work.

“God what a night,” says Detective Kim Taehyung, one of the members of the Gang Task Force at Yeonje Police Station.

 “Where did you go after work?” asks Detective Dahyun, Taehyung’s partner sitting at the desk besides Taehyung.

“What?” he says.

“I called you, but it went to voicemail.”

“That’s because it was off,” replies Jimin, “I had things to do.”

“You never hang out with us,” she says, pouting.

“That’s because he thinks he is better than all of us,” a voice came from behind them. Jimin clenches his jaw. He that remark can only come from one person, Detective Jaejoong, his brother was one of the three detectives that died in the incident three years ago. He had a grudge against Jimin for surviving the ambush.

“How about minding your own business,” retorts Dahyun.

“Oh, come on, why do you think he has no partner?” says Jaejoong, “It’s because no one wants to be his partner. His own partner was the son of a suspected Criminal, and yet he never thought to watch over him.”

“Look, you don’t know anything about it,” says Dahyun, defensively, “You weren’t working here, shut up.”

“All I know is that he fooled all of you, I will bet money he was the one responsible for the ambush.”

Jimin clenches the pen in his hand. He was not in the mood to hear Jaejoong’s shit talking, especially when he has his own problems to deal with. Especially now that Jungkook is alive.

“There is no evidence that suggested that,” she says, angerly.

“Then why did he disappear?” asks Jaejoong.

Jimin bites his lip, Jaejoong was right. He felt bad, having Dahyun defend his former partner that betrayed them. 

“Seems like you guys have nothing better to do?” says the Chief Detective Min, who prefers to be called Yoongi, because of how young he was. He was an FBI in the states and moved and transferred to run the Gang Task Force.

 

The whole office got quiet, as Chief Min stared down everyone, “Get back to work.”

“Sorry, sir!” everyone exclaimed as they scramble to their seats. Jimin exhales, glancing up at the Chief, wondering if he should talk to him about Jungkook? But what would he say? He was the only one who knew Jungkook was living a double life- the reason he became a detective was to infiltrate the system in order to protect his family. He also never told them that he shot him. All they knew was that he disappeared.

Jimin clenches his fingers, he has to find a way to deal with him and make him pay for his betrayal.

***

Work consisted of the usual, morning briefings, Chief Min discussed new tactics to cripple Criminal Organization that is the heart of the gang-related crimes city. Jimin found himself, unable to focus during the meeting. The rest of the day, they were working on setting up operations to go after the low riders of the Criminal Organization. Squeeze the small fish to get to the head, something the task force has been trying to do for ages. They almost succeeded three years ago when they received a tip of the biggest drug deal but ended up being an ambush.

When he got home after his shift, it was late. He lived in a small apartment on the second floor, nothing fancy, not that he could afford anything fancy. Jimin peeled off his clothes and headed to the shower.

Standing underneath the lukewarm water, his mind went dull as he tried to focus on the sound, wanting to drown out everything. He wanted to break something. Scream. And Kill someone, not just anyone. Jeon Jungkook, the guy that took his heart and stepped on it. He blamed himself for falling for his lies. His talk of changing and wanting to be different from his father, Jeon Tae Chon, a known Kingpin and the CEO of Jeon Imports and Exports. Jeon Tae Chon was one of the main targets of the Gang Task Force, suspected of being a cover for smuggling operations. Aside from that Tae Chon has many subsidiaries that were in no doubt fronts for criminal activities as well.

So, when his son, Jeon Jungkook transferred to the Agency from America, of course, everyone had their suspicion but one of his many traits was the ability to charm everyone. His ideals. His history of going against his father, and his past as an officer was not overlooked. Jimin could not speak for the others, but he believed that Jungkook wanted to make a difference but now he knows that he was a fool. Everything that came out of his mouth was lies. He was just another gangster that joined the force for his own benefit.

 

Jimin walks out of the shower, drying his hair and comes to a stop. Frozen. His heartbeat elevated.

“How the hell did you get in here?” he roared, as he stares at Jungkook who was standing in the middle of his room. He was dressed in black jeans and a plain white shirt with a leather jacket. Looking sexy as hell.

“You still leave the door unlocked,” replies Jungkook, “A bad habit.” Jimin’s heart beat faster. What the hell was he doing here? He wondered.

Jimin glanced at the Glock that sat on the drawer near his bed. He was vulnerable, standing shirtless with only a towel wrapped his waist. He needed that gun. Jungkook was silent for what felt like an eternity, his eyes dropped from Jimin’s face to his body and lingered for a while.

His smoldered lustful doe-eyed look sent shivers throughout Jimin’s body. It wasn’t out of fear but excitement. He felt violated by just a look. Jungkook’s eyes met his, his lustful eyes now replaced with coldness and emptiness.

Jungkook clears his throat, “We need to talk.”

“You need to get the hell out of my apartment,” says Jimin, glaring at him. Jungkook exhales,

“I thought you wanted answers,” he says, confidently, “I’ll let you get dressed. I’ll wait in the living room,” Jimin follows him with his gaze as Jungkook walks out. Whatever was going through his mind, Jimin had no clue. He had to choices arrest him and take him to the station or finish what he started three years ago and get rid of him for good. But deep down his gut, he wanted to hear what he wanted to say.

 

Jimin sucked in a deep breath, hold his Glock, as he enters the living room. Jungkook was facing the wall looking at the pictures that hang on the wall. Jimin froze. His mind filled with memories, their memories, in this very apartment. Just like he couldn’t stop going to Output, Jungkook’s favorite club, he couldn’t let go of his apartment either. Despite wanting to erase all the cells in his body that reminded him of Jungkook. Jungkook turned around to face him.

“So, what do you want?”

“I need you to stop going to the club,” Jungkook says, serious.

“Excuse me?”

“The club is now a Jeon subsidiary,” he says, “It’s my club now, and I don’t want police hanging around.”

Jimin stares at him baffled at what he was hearing. That’s what he wanted to talk about? His stomach boiled with anger, as he clenched the gun in his hand.

“So, you show up after three years from god knows where, and the only thing you have to say is that?”

“Well, you shot me, so I don’t think there is really anything left to say between us,” he says.

“Son of a bitch,” muttered Jimin, “I should arrest you right now.”

Jungkook chuckles, and without a word made his way towards him, causing Jimin to take a step back, his scent still drove him crazy. Three years later, and he still had those boyish charms and manly fragrance. He ground his teeth again. He hates how good he looks.

“Arrest me for what exactly?”

“You the sold out the information about the bust to your father, and they set up an ambush. You’ll go away for murder.”

“And do you have evidence of that?” he says.

“You confessed.”

“So what? Do you think anyone will believe you?”

Jimin swallowed hard. He was right. He never told anyone about what really happened to him. He kept it a secret and hoped to never have to talk about it again since Jungkook was dead.

How could he be so foolish as to not make sure he was really dead?

“Fine, then I’ll finish what I started three years ago and kill you.”

Jungkook exhales, “Jimin,” he calls, softly. The way he called his name, the emphasis he put on it, made his heartthrob, “If you really wanted to kill me, you would’ve done it already, but you didn’t.”

“Well, I will make sure to correct that,” he says, pointing his gun. Jungkook didn’t flinch, instead, he smiled as he stares down the gun. A smile Jimin thought he would never see again. He found the hand holding the gun start to tremble. He hated him.

“Let’s not trouble each other anymore,” he says, finally, “I don’t want you getting caught up in things that don’t concern you.”

“What the fuck are you talking about?”

“Let what happened three years ago go,” he says.

“You mean to let you get away with what you did,” says Jimin, “I would rather die.”

“Then what are you going to do?”

“I will find evidence and bring you and your father to justice,” he says, putting down the gun, “death is to easy, I want to see you behind bars.”

Jungkook sighs a phone ring. They both stare at each other, until Jungkook looked away, turning around and taking his phone out of his pocket.

“Yeah?” he says, as Jimin watches him.

“Sure, no problem. No, I’m on my way.”

He hangs up the phone, placing back in his pocket.

“So, you became your father’s go-to guy,” taunts Jimin, “You’re so pathetic.”

“What I do and don’t do for my father is my business,” he replies, “I hope we have an understanding.”

Jimin snicker filled with disgust, “The only understanding between us is that know now that I promise to hunt you down.”

“Despite everything that happened three years ago,” he says, quietly, staring into his eyes, “The only real thing in my life was you.”

A heavy throb filled Jimin’s heart, shocked at what he just heard. Once upon a time, those words would have meant something but now, they just felt empty. Jungkook lied and betrayed him. The guy he fell for died three years ago. Something he wanted to believe more than anything. 

Chapter Text

There was no way he was going to fall for his words. Not again. He made that mistake once and paid the price. But a part of him still lingered on the words Jungkook said a week ago when he broke into his apartment. That he was the only real thing in Jungkook’s life. Jimin found himself lingering on the word, was. Past tense. Jungkook and he no longer had anything to do with each other.

Jimin had stopped at a red light, lost himself in thoughts. Why did he do this to himself? Last week, any rational detective would have arrested Jungkook, and embrace whatever consequences he was to face for concealing the truth about what Jungkook confessed to him three years ago. But instead, he let Jungkook walk away.

He heard a horn behind him and woke up, realizing the light had turned green.

“Shit,” he mumbles underneath his breath as he drives.

 

When he arrived at the station, everyone was gathered in the briefing room. The Head chief was also in the room, and the atmosphere looked rather intense. Jimin apologizes for arriving late and walks over to sit down next to Dahyun. She gave him a look of concern before turning away her gaze.

“We’ve been following Jeon Tae Chon’s movements for years now,” says Chief detective Yoongi, “And two days ago, we caught an incredible thing.” He turns around, switching the screen, and a picture of Jungkook and his father popped up on the huge screen. Jimin’s heart stopped in his chest. The Task Force was now aware of Jungkook’s return.

“I know most of you were not here three years ago, including myself,” says Chief detective Yoongi, “The boy standing with Tae Chon is Jeon Jungkook, a former detective who disappeared three years ago, this photo was taken last week.”

“He’s back in Korea,” roars Jaejoong, “That son of a bitch!

“Yes, he is,” says Chief detective Yoongi, “And it seems he is now working with his father.”

Jimin glances up, clenching his jaw.

“We learned that he is the new owner of Output, which now makes it a Jeon subsidiary. I need to talk to him, so I need someone to go and bring him to the station.”

“I’ll do it,” says Jaejoong.

“No,” says Chief detective Yoongi, turning to Jimin, “He was your partner, I want you to bring him in, and Taehyung will accompany you.”

“No need Sir,” he replies, “I’ll bring him.”

 “Do it smartly,” says the Head Chief, “We have nothing on him. We can bring him in for questioning and even though I believe he his role as a police officer was all just a way for him to infiltrate the system. We have no evidence.”

“Yes Sir,” says Jimin, staring at the picture on the screen.

“Is there something?” asks the Chief detective Yoongi.

“No.”

“Alright, the rest of you go back to work,” says Chief Yoongi, “Jimin can we talk?”

“Um…yes sir,” he says, as the others walked out of the room.

“I always had my doubts about what really happened,” he says, “His disappearance, I had a feeling had to do with his father. I am positive now that his purpose was just to infiltrate the police department and gain access. I need you to make him come here, and if he refuses then arrest him for resistance.”

“Yes, sir.”

“I am not sure what feelings you have towards him now but- “

“I have no feelings towards him,” says Jimin, defensively, “If he-he needs to pay for his crimes.”

“Yes, and if he is responsible for my father’s death, I’ll bring down the sky on him.”

“Sir.”

***

Jungkook’s whole life has been a ruse. A deep cover to protect his family. Jimin felt his heart torn in half when Jungkook confessed to him three years ago. Without a thought, he pulled the trigger, but he must have missed any major artery and muscle and left without checking where he was really dead or not. At that moment, all he saw was the lies. He had been part of a cover in Jungkook’s life.

Back then, he had been a fool and thought Jungkook cared for him but like his life as Detective Jeon Jungkook. Detective Jeon Jungkook did not exist. He was a façade.

When Jimin arrived at the Jeon mansion, he had to show his badge to security who questioned his intentions. In front, the Jeon family is one of the wealthiest in South Korea, their main business was fish imports and exports but had many other subsidiaries. Jeon Tae Chon was also the head of the fisherman union. He had a powerful connection, and that’s why despite all the suspicions of his criminal activities the police have never been able to pin anything on him. The Jeon family has a history of running the underground world, and with 360 members that work for them.

Jimin sighs, glancing around as he waits for the security to let him, but he was waiting for confirmation. After what felt like an eternity, the security guard turned back to him.

“You may come in,” says the security, opening the gates. Jimin rolls his eyes, he has been together with Jungkook for three years and this was the first time, he came over to his house. Back then Jungkook lived in an apartment complex and spoke of his tension with father. A lie of course.

He was escorted to the house and was told to wait in the living room. The house was large and beautiful, too bad it was built with dirty money. He sighed heavily. He was here on official business, he had no reason to be nervous, and yet he was.

“Detective Park, what can I do for you?” says Jungkook as he walks in the living room through the kitchen. He was shirtless with black basketball shorts. His bang clings to his forehead, slightly damp- he smelled a mix of sweat and fragrance, musky. Jimin’s eyes widen, a face flushed. His body is perfectly sculptured and muscular. Jimin’s eyes scan the scar near his chest where he shot him, missed the heart. Jimin’s breath caught. 

A part of him wondered who he was? If anything, they shared in the past was true.

Jimin shook off the unwanted, hated memory and swallowed his dismay as he forced his steps to meet him halfway.

“I need you to come down to the police station,” he says, cutting to the chase.

Jungkook chuckles, “What for?”

“To answer questions,” says Jimin, “I mean, just three years ago you were a police officer, and then you disappeared. The bosses need answers.”

“Hmm? And they sent you, my former partner to bring me in for interrogation?”

Jimin sighs, “Are you coming, or do I have to bring in by force?”

Jungkook smiles, his unreadable eyes studying Jimin’s face. Taunting him with a smirk, flirting with his eyes, all the things Jimin was not immune to.

“You know I’ve been wondering why you didn’t check to see if I have died,” he says, taking another step towards him, closing the distance. He was an inch away from him, he could feel his breath, “You’re so beautiful.”

Jimin clenched his hands, “Are you coming or not?” he demanded, taking a step back.

“For you, of course, like I said I don’t want us to trouble each other,” he says, in a mere whisper, “I don’t want you caught up in anything.”

Jimin snickers, “Get dressed, and meet in the car,” he says, turning around and walking away towards the door.

He exhaled, almost as if his body forgot to breathe, suffocated. Whoever this man was, whatever he called himself now, he was still the ruthless, dangerous man that betrayed him. He knew Jungkook was teasing him, he hears it in his voice.

 

Jimin waited by the car, as Jungkook now dressed up- black pants, white collared shirt with a black tie and blazer. He was dressed for business. He could put models out of work. Despite the businessman clothing, Jimin noticed, he was now wearing two silver earrings, just like the ones he used to wear before. Jimin watches him say something to his security guard before approaching him.

“Sorry to keep you waiting Detective,” he says. Without saying a word, Jimin turns around, unlocking the door, and making his way towards the driver’s seat. Jungkook reaches for the passenger seat but was locked, Jimin rolls down the window,

“Get in the back,” he orders.

“Sorry, old habit,” he says with a chuckle, as he walks to the backseat and gets in.

Jimin shakes his head, annoyed. He turns on the car and pulls out of the drive away. He glances at the mirror, catching Jungkook staring at him. Jimin averts his eyes back to the front, clenching the steering wheel.

“How come you still live at the same apartment?” he asks.

“Stop talking.”

“Just trying to create a conversation.”

“The last thing I want is to talk to you. Shut up.”

Chapter Text

Jimin, Taehyung, and Dahyun watched the interrogation from the monitors, as Chief Yoongi instructed and take notes, especially Jimin and Dahyun since they were both rookie detectives alongside Jungkook. The case has not involved the prosecutor as the Chief head did not want to make a deal out, in case they get nothing out of Jungkook, which was probability what will happen.

It was strange to see Jungkook seating on the other side of the table. Something Jimin never thought he would witness. It was outrageous that the guy he thought he knew, he believed in was the guy sitting there.

“Jeon Jungkook,” says Chief Yoongi, flipping through the file they had of him, “The son of Jeon Tae Chon, born in Busan. Went to school in the states. You became a police officer in America, moved up really quickly. I'm impressed we never met, I lived in the states as well, DEA but then you applied for a job to Korea within three months of being a detective. Now, that I'm looking over your files, it’s amazing why no one questioned how quickly you moved up in ranks and got the job in Busan, despite being the son of a suspected family of criminals.”

“Is there is a reason why you are telling me this, Chief Detective?” asks Jungkook, calmly, "No prosecutor, so this is not an official interrogation, so what do you want?"

“I know due to conflict of interest, you were not allowed to be near the investigation of your father three years ago,” says Chief Yoongi, “But I’m curious, why did you disappear?” Jimin stares at the monitor, heartbeat rising, as his palm sweats. If Jungkook tells everyone that he was shot, it was all over for him. He clenched the pen in his hand, tight until his knuckles turned white.

“I was aware of what happened,” he says, “I didn’t disappear I was in the hospital.”

“Hospital?”

“Yes, I had a confrontation with a former friend and well, it didn’t go well. He shot me and left me to die, luckily someone found me and took me to the hospital. I was there recuperating; you check my medical history.”

Chief Yoongi snickers, “You expect me to believe that?”

“Well, it’s the truth, whether you believe or not that’s your problem.”

“Listen to you, son of a bitch,” retorts Chief Yoongi, “I’m not a person who believes in coincidences. I know you have been working with your father, maybe since forever and now, the timing of your return is too suspicious. So, I’m going to ask once, if you are willing to work with me, and tell me the truth or if we have to do this the hard way.”

“Detective Min,” says Jungkook, “Min? that was the surname of the former head chief of the task force that died in the ambush. You must be his son. My condolences.”

“Fuck your condolences,” roars Yoongi, slamming the table, “In all my years of doing this, you are the first person I heard of that became a cop just to benefit and protect his criminal family. That’s the kind of shit you see on tv.”

“Well, if you have evidence than arrest me right now,” says Jungkook, “I know my rights and I came here willingly. I’m telling you the truth after I got out of the hospital, it made no sense to come back to my police force. I would’ve rather die than become a political scapegoat. If it wasn’t for my father I would’ve died. I’m doing my job as a son and helping him with the business.”

“Smuggling and dealing with illegal weapons, drugs, and prostitution. The things you said in the past do not match the things you are saying now. And who was this person who shot you?”

“Well, if the police had evidence of all those crimes, my father would be behind bars, Detective,” he says, “That friend is taken care of. I’m not defending my father. If we are done here, I do have work. So, am I free to go? Or do you want me to turn in a resignation letter, to make it official that I am no longer a police officer?”

Chief Yoongi chuckles, “You’re free to go, but remember your family may have all the money in the world but know that you all will be caught. That’s a promise, you scumbag.”

 

“I can’t believe it,” says Dahyun, glancing at Jimin, “The Jungkook we know would never work with his father.”

“Well, it seems like it was lies,” adds Taehyung, “His whole life as a child was probably a lie, the person you are seeing now is probably the real Jeon Jungkook.”

“No, there has got to be a reason why he is working with his father,” Dahyun protested, “Jimin, you two were so close, you could talk to him. Make him see sense.”

Jimin sighs, “Look, get over it,” he says, harshly, “If he is working with his father than he is a criminal. I’ll have the pleasure of putting handcuffs on him and locking him away.”

 ***

Jimin watches him as he walks out of the interrogation room, why didn’t he just tell them that he was the one who shot him? what game is playing now?

“Son of a bitch!” roars Jaejoong, grabbing his collar, “My brother was one the people that died, you’ll pay!”

“Detective Jaejoong,” exclaims Chief Yoongi, “Get a hold of yourself now!”

Jaejoong lets go of Jungkook, who had a grin, cocky and unbothered. Just who the hell is this person? Wondered Jimin. Jungkook adjusts his suit, glancing over at Jimin and Dahyun, smirked and turned back to the Chief.

“So am I gonna get a ride or- “

“Just get the fuck out of here, before I forget myself,” replies Chief Yoongi.

***

After the interrogation with Jungkook, Chief Yoongi’s mood went from bad to worse, all day. He wanted answers and he was willing to turn everything upside down if he had. He wanted to kill someone. Jimin could only guess who, since everyone wanted to kill him.

. He wanted someone following Jungkook twenty-four and updates his status, a job Jimin wanted but the Chief chooses Jaejoong and his partner instead. Jimin, Dahyun, and Taehyung were tasked with speaking to their informants for any information they had that was crucial to the Jeons case

Jimin’s informant was an old man, in his thirties who works as a fisherman for Jeon Imports. He answered him, and Jimin takes all the hit if something goes wrong or if he provides him with the wrong information.

The room they met at was small and old, protecting the identity of the informants was crucial to having reliable informers.

Jimin sighed.

“So how is work?” he asks, as the man stares at him. No one could blame him for the anxiety, usually, informants are the ones to contact their handlers if they had information not the other way around unless it was an emergency.

“Um… work is fine, just the usual,” he answers.

“Nothing suspicious at the port?”

“They have imports coming in from Japan, but I don’t know when they are going to arrive.”

“It’s an import and export company, that’s not good enough, I need something concrete.”

“Well, there are whispers about a big boss coming, he controls more than 90 cargo ships that dock at the port of Busan.”

“I need a name,” says Jimin, “Will you be able to get me a name?”

“I will try.”

“I need that name soon; do you know when the imports are coming in?”

“Um…not yet.”

“Alright,” says Jimin, “Will you be able to get the information I need by Tuesday?”

“Tuesday?”

“Yes, my boss is anxious, and well you know what a pain in the ass that can be, so Tuesday?”

“Yes sir, Tuesday.”

“Thank you.”

 ***

After reporting what they learned from their informants, it was 1 am by the time they got off work.

Jimin walked Dahyun to her car, he had other plans. He planned to go to Output, just to put pressure on Jungkook, and to let him know his little warning meant nothing. That he was watching his every move.

“Crazy day huh?” says Dahyun, as she takes out her car Key.

“Well, crimes will do that,” replies Jimin.

“No, I meant…Jungkook…I know how much he meant- “

“That was in the past,” he cuts her off, “Good night.”

“Good night.”

Jimin exhales, heading towards his car. He opens the car and gets in, frustrated. Dahyun was the only person on the task force that knew the true nature of his relationship with Jungkook, aside from his parents.

 

Jimin’s eyes glanced at the security at the VIP sections as he makes his way to the bar. He had hoped, Jungkook would have let the bouncer outside the club try to stop him from going in, so he can a reason to arrest anyone who worked for Jeon Jungkook, but instead, he was able to walk in the club with ease. Was it because it was almost time for closing? Or did Jungkook just say that out of a warning? What business does a former detective have running a club? he wondered.

“I’ll have a beer,” he says, sitting at one of the empty stools. It wasn’t the regular bartender, so he decided not to indulge in any chitchat. He was here for one person- Jeon Jungkook. The club was calm, but still more packed than it should be when it was almost time to close. He glances over at the VIP section and turns back to the bottle, the bartender placed in front of him. He picks it up and takes a sip from it.

“Well, it seems like you couldn’t wait to see me again,” Jungkook’s voice came from behind him. He sneers, ignoring him, as a hand lands on his shoulder. Jimin turns to face him, as Jungkook sits down at the stool beside him. He was surprised when a jolt of electricity shot through his body at the contact. Scowling, he shrugs his hand off. Jungkook chuckles,

“I’ll have what he is having,” he says.

“Yes sir,” says the bartender.

Jungkook turns to face him, as Jimin takes another sip of his drink, trying his hardest to ignore all the sensation he was feeling from his touch and his cologne. The bartender gives him his drink, he takes a sip of it and then turns to Jimin.

“What’re you doing here?”

“Is it illegal for a police officer to enjoy a cold drink?”

“No, but there are plenty of bars, why this one?”

“I don’t know…” he says, glancing at him, “I like this place, there is a stench I can’t get rid of.”

Jungkook chuckles, “You’re funny, that hasn’t changed.”

“Stop talking like you know me,” replies Jimin, annoyed.

“You know, aren’t you wondering why I didn’t tell your Chief that you shot me?”

“I couldn’t care less.”

“No? anyway, I want you to know that I will never say anything to anyone,” he continues.

Jimin chuckles in disbelieve, “And what is that supposed to mean something to me?”

“I don’t know. That’s up to you, Jimin-hyung.”

“Don’t call me that,” retorts Jimin, “We have no relations with each other.”

“Alright Detective Jimin,” he says, “I know you hate me, and you have every too, but I want to know something.”

Jimin snickers, “What?”

“You told me once that, you became a police officer to find the man that killed your sister,” he says, taking Jimin by surprise but remained silent, curious to hear more. “You said that once you find out, you would quit the force.”

“Yeah, what about it?”

“I found him.”

Jimin’s eyes blazed, glaring at him, “What!”

“I found him, I just wanted you to know,” he says, “But I want to know if your plans are still the same, quitting the force?”

Jimin laughs, “What the hell are you talking about? If you found him, then you tell me, so I arrest that son of a bitch myself.”

“Well, I said I found him. I never said he was alive.”

“You killed him? am I supposed to believe that?”

“Yes. I found him but turning him to the cops is not something I could’ve done. It’s complicated but I do have his confession taped if you won’t believe me.”

“Why?” asks Jimin, “Why would you go through the trouble?”

“I told you. I don’t want you caught up in things, crimes and stuff. You never wanted to be a police officer in the first place. You could live- “

“Shut up,” says Jimin, clenching the bottle, “Don’t act as you care about me.” Jimin locks eyes with him, not sure what to make of what he was hearing. Why would Jungkook care what happens to him? He betrayed him without hesitation, just like he shot him without hesitation, so why?

“I may have told a lot of lies but I never lied or pretended when it came to you,” he says, silently, almost in a whisper, “I will do anything to protect you.”

“Protect me?” asks Jimin, confused, “Who said I needed protection? Yours of all people?”

“Well, I’m not asking,” he says, his softness turning demanding, “So do you want the tape or not?”

“You can keep it,” he replies, “It won’t change anything. I will still be a police officer because right now, my only goal is to see you and your father rot in prison.”

He smiles, but it was more to himself than to Jimin. He was silent, lost in thoughts, just as he used to be when he was a loss at words. His large doe eyes zoning out, the light reflected on his face, it made Jimin’s heart quicken. Jimin quickly averted his eyes to his beer as Jungkook turned to him.

“Well,” he says, breaking the silence as he stands up, “You know where to find me if you change your mind.”

Chapter Text

Three years ago …

 He almost cried the day he graduated from the academy. He didn’t come from a family of police officers aside from his older sister who was a detective. His parents weren’t happy with his decision to become a police officer since his sister’s death but Jimin was determined to find the people responsible. Never in a million years, did he think he would pass the exam, having failed twice, and now he was standing in the Yeonje Police Station, as a member of the Gang Task Force lead by Chief Min, with nine other people that were selected. He recognized most of them from the academy, all but one. A boy standing beside him- he had pitch black hair and chiseled jaw, strong brow with really beautiful eyes. So intense, thought Jimin. He could be a model.

“This is so cool,” a female voice whispered behind him.

“It’s exciting,” he whispers back, trying not to glance at the person talking to him.

“I’m Kim Dahyun.”

“Park Jimin,” he says.

The chattering and muttering quiet down when Chief Min starts talking.

“Today marks the first day of your life as a detective on the Gang Task Force,” he says, gazing at the faces staring back at him. “The Head Chief believes that having younger people will expose us to new ideas, but I think it’s a pain in the butt because I don’t like babysitting. This job will put your life at risk that is a promise. You must feel special because you guys are the first rookies to become detective straight out of the academy, but you are not. The rules are simple, you do your job and you make the most of it. Don’t try to be heroes, I would hate to deliver news of your deaths to your parents.” He clears his throat gazing at them, one by one and stands in front of the black haired boy,

“And you are a special case,” says Chief Min, Jimin glances at him, the boy and the Chief were having a stare down, “Jeon Jungkook.”

“Jeon Jungkook?” mutters Jimin, as whispers and chattering fills the room. The name Jeon was a famous surname in Busan, Jeon Tae Chon is the wealthiest and influential man in South Korea, let alone Busan but he was most famous among the whispers and talks of being a Kingpin of the underground world. Leader of organized crimes. Why would his son be here? As a detective?

“Now you, I am looking forward to working with,” says the Chief. Jungkook remained silent, as the Chief walked past him, gazing at Jimin, who unlike Jungkook felt intimidated by the elder man.

“Did you walk in the wrong building?” asks the Chief.

“I’m sorry?” he asks, confused.

“Are you sure you don’t want to try modeling or becoming an idol,” says the Chief, as laughter erupts from the others. The Chief turns to the Chief Detective, standing behind him, “He’s beautiful, isn’t he?”  Jimin sighs. He’s heard teasing and jokes about his beautiful babyface way too many times in the academy.

“With due respect sir, I was not aware appearances are requirements to become a detective.”

“They’re not,” he replies with a grin, “Actually, you’re perfect for the Gang Task Force, looks can be deceiving, so use them wisely.”

“Oh? Um…thank you sir, I will,” he replies, baffled by the sudden change of tone.

“Alright since they are ten of five, the ones standing on my left are the team and the ones on the right are a team, five and five, Team leaders, go ahead and get ready to work.”

 

Jimin glances around his team members as they all gather around in one of the briefing room, as their Team Leader Oh, instructed. The team consisted of him, Kim Dahyun, Jeon Jungkook, Lee Ara and Cha Jae-hyun.

“So, what made you guys want to become a detective?” asks Dahyun.

“What is this? Sharing and caring” snickers Lee Ara.

“Alright,” says the Team Leader walking in the room, “Let’s get to work, have a seat. Are you planning on standing all day?”

Everyone scrambled to get their seats, as the team leader exhales loudly. The overhead turns on and a picture of a young man shows up,

“The man on the screen is Jang Hyang-sook, a big drug dealer and wanted felon. We’ve been following him for months now, but we finally got a hit on his location. Tonight, he is meeting with a client, and we are going to intercept the buy and arrest him.”

“We?” asks Dahyun.

“Yes, you think you were chosen to join the task force to sit around and file paper?”

“No, sir.”

“Okay, don’t ever interrupt me again,” warns the Team Leader.

“Sorry, sir.”

“As I was saying. He is just a fish with big connections, we need alive because he is going to lead us to his boss,” continues the Team Leader, “The meet is happening at Revel, a famous nightclub with suspicious activities, unfortunately, the place gears towards younger people. And this is where you come in, you five are going to go undercover inside the club, just to keep an eye on thing and surveillance. The Chief detective and I will be parked across the street, but you guys will have wires, to keep us in the loop. Alright.

“Yes, Sir!”

“Any questions?”

“Um…isn’t it risky to have rookies do an undercover job?” asks Jae-hyun.

“Well, if you feel that way then you can resign?” replies the Team Leader, as everyone glances at each other. The team leader clears his throat, “For the time being, I want you guys to study the case, and we’ll leave at eight o’clock. The most important thing about undercover is keeping your disguise. Don’t stand out and don’t create trouble. Is that clear?”

“Yes, Sir.”

***

The cover consisted of pretending to drink, dancing while staying alert on the targets that have yet to arrive. That part was easy, the girls Dahyun and Ara were already on the dance floor, and Jae-hyun went to use the bathroom.

Jungkook and he stood at the bar, surveying, as eyes wander around the club. Jimin glances at him. He was quiet, barely spoke a word earlier, it made Jimin feel uncomfortable. He sighs.

“Noticed anything?” he asks, placing the beer back on top of the bar.

“No,” he replies.

“Hmm? I’ve been wondering,” says Jimin, “Maybe this is a trial run or something?”

“It could be,” answers Jungkook, “But the case is real, and if we mess up then we can kiss our jobs goodbye.”

Jimin chuckles, “Then let’s make sure we don’t disappoint them.” Jungkook glances at him, and smiles. Or at least Jimin thought it was a smile. It came as quickly as it left, and yet it made his heart skip a beat. He couldn’t stop staring at him until Jungkook caught his gaze, and he had to look away.

“We won’t disappoint them,” Jungkook says in a mere whisper, but loud enough for Jimin to hear him, as the music blared.

“He’s here,” says Jimin, his gaze narrowed at the entrance, waiting for Jungkook to confirm so he can report it over the earpiece.

“Yeah it’s him,” says.

“Target spotted,” he says quietly. The Team leader replied by telling them to stay still until he was at the VIP area with his client, which was visible from where they were standing. They watched the as tall man with dark, honey-brown hair walked through the VIP, but instead of sitting down. He walked past it, going out of sight. Jae-hyun, Ara, and Dahyun walk over to the bar, to join them.

“Shit,” says Jimin, “Now what?”

“We have to get in there?” says Jae-hyun, joining them.

“How?”

“I can go in there,” he says.

“Huh?” everyone exclaimed.

“If you tell them who you are, you’ll blow your cover,” says Jimin.

“Yeah, look, let’s just wait for them to come out,” says Dahyun.

“You guys never been to clubs or what?” says Jae-hyun, “What if they have another exit?”

“Okay,” says Jungkook, “I’ll go through the VIP section, with my last name I should be able to, two people should stay here and two should go outside and survey if there are other exits. Don’t let the team leader know, he’ll probably disapprove.”

“I’ll go with you,” says Jimin, “You can’t in there by yourself.”

“If you want,” says Jungkook.

 

“So, what’s the plan again?” whispers Jimin, as they approach the VIP section. Jungkook glances at him and ignores him.

“I always wanted to use this?” says Jungkook, pulling out a red card with a blue logo, as they stop in front of the guard.

“What is that?”

“A pass,” he says. He turns back and locks eyes with the guard, flashing the red card with a blue logo on it. The guard’s eyes widen, and studies Jungkook for a few seconds, and back at the card.

“Who is this?” he asks, turning to Jimin, who gives him a wide smile.

“A friend,” replies Jungkook.

“Come on in,” says the guard, moving aside and letting them through.

“Whoa,” whispers Jimin, “How did you- what kind of card is that?”

 

As they walk through the VIP section, there was a hallway that leads to a different room, it was filled with people gambling. Jimin studied the place, overwhelmed, it was playroom specifically an illegal gambling playroom.  His gut twisted and he narrowed his gaze on the target, who sat at the end of the room with the client. The deal was happening.

“Shit,” says Jimin.

“We need to go,” says Jungkook, suddenly.

“What? we need to alert the- “

“Something is happening,” Jungkook cuts him off, “Come on let’s go, it’s not safe.”

Without warning the room fell silent, and within an instant, a shockwave blasted the backdoors open. They both dived for the ground and covering their heads, as commands and men with guns walk in the club, telling everyone to get on the ground but then bullets. Jimin glance at Jungkook, realizing that he had pulled him into his strong embrace and shielding him, as the crackle of bullets fills the room, along with screams.

“What the hell is going on?” he asks, “Is it a raid?”

“No,” replies Jungkook, “Those are Swat or police, we have to get out of here.” Jimin’s heart pounded against his chest, glancing around the room,

“Over there,” he points at the table that was filled over, “We can use it as a shield.” They crawled towards the table, hiding behind it,

“Fuck, I wish we had our guns on us,” says Jimin.

“I don’t think they predicted this,” replies Jungkook.

Jimin chuckles at the turn of events, even though fear overtook him, and made his heart sink to his stomach,

“Why’d you become a police officer?” he asks.

“What?”

“Your family history is very interesting,” says Jimin, “So why become a police officer?”

“Same reason everyone does,” replies Jungkook, “I’m sick and tired of people judging me because of my last name.”

“Oh, so you want to prove a point?”

“No, I want to live my own life,” he replies. As a body drops down near them, Jungkook glances over and takes the Glock that dead man was holding.

“What’re you doing?”

But before they could stand up, the police come busting in the front door, Jimin and Jungkook glance at each other, relived as police officers command everyone to stay down.

 

After the police managed to control the chaos, they allowed Jimin and Jungkook to go and join the team that was waiting for them, after being examined. Luckily, they weren’t hurt.  Jimin glances at Jungkook, catching his gaze,

“What the fuck just happened?”

Jungkook chuckles, shaking his head in disbelieve, “Wow, so that was crazy.”

They joined the others at the car, with the team leader, “Are you two okays?”

“Yeah,” replies Jimin.

“That was really reckless,” he roars, “Why the hell did you go into the VIP section without informing us?” Jimin flinched but they both kept quiet. “What part of don’t try to be heroes did you not understand?”

“Sorry Sir!” they exclaimed.

“Fuck!” roars the Team Leader, “You guys are alright, so that’s good news. The only reason I am not kicking your asses out of here is that it was our fault for not doing proper surveillance of the club. We shouldn’t have sent you in without properly making sure.”

“Sir.” They both reply.

“What exactly happened Sir?” asks Jungkook.

“I’m not sure, we’ll have more information tomorrow,” he replies.

“It was a hit,” replies Jungkook.

“How would know that?”

“Well, the same thing happened last month at a club in Seoul,” he replies, “It was in the news, and I read the file on the computer. The club also had an illegal playroom.”

“I heard about that case,” says the Team Leader, “Someone is taking out their competition by using force. Instead of studying about our case, you snoop around at other cases.”

“Sorry sir,” mutters Jungkook.

“Alright,” says the Team leader, “Go on home now, you have work tomorrow.”

Jimin glances at Jungkook, still high on an adrenaline rush, as his stomach twisted again. He remembers Jungkook shielding him with his body when they got down for cover, and his face flashed. Jungkook turns to catch his gaze,

“What?”

“Nothing,” he says, blushing.

Chapter Text

 

The warm humidity from the mid-May sun made his hair and clothes slick with sweat as they clung to his skin. Not sure how long he has been running. As he approaches his parents' house, he slows down. He could hear his heart throbbing in his chest. He was aware of the sting in his legs and exhaustion, but his mind was far away. His was occupied with thoughts of Jungkook. Overwhelmed and confused. Mostly frustrated that he once again found himself restless because of him. When he thought he killed him, he was hunted and broken, and confused to why he was mourning someone who betrayed him? He felt guilty. Now he couldn’t but feel that he was guilty about shooting the man he loved than the lives that were lost. An action, he did from the pain of betrayal. He knew deep down, he never meant to shoot him or kill him, but his fingers still pulled the trigger.

He runs his fingers through his hair, as he enters the house. He could hear chattering coming from the kitchen. His parents were home from the Church. He exhales, and puts a smile on his face, not wanting to make his parents worried. He would usually come to visit his parents on his off day, but with everything going on, off days are rare. He was glad he got today off.

“Good morning, mom. Dad,” he greets, walking in the kitchen.

“Good morning,” they replied.

Jimin inhales and savors the aroma that filled the kitchen. When he awoke, his parents had already left for morning prayers. Usually, he would go with them, but today was one of those days, he did not feel like church. His parents were both devoted Christians and became more so when his sister died and he joined the force, something they were both against from the beginning but supported him. Even though he never told him the real reason why he joined the force, to find his sister’s killer. He didn’t know much about it but learned that she was killed on an assignment when she was undercover. He sighs. Jungkook’s words echoing in the back of his mind. His sister was the reason he joined the force, and he found it hard to believe that Jungkook would seek revenge on his behalf.

He was not going to be tricked to fall for his lies and pretense. Not again. But he wanted that video of the confession. He wants to see the man that took his sister’s life.

“I’m gonna go take a shower,” he says.

“Alright,” replies his mom.

***

Jimin parked his car against the curb across the street from Jungkook’s old apartment. The apartment was his but under his parent’s, name, so the government didn’t seize it. Jimin wondered why his parents never sold it, and now he knew why. They knew their son was alive and well.

He made his mind up and wanted that confession tape. Not sure why he thought Jungkook would be here. He wasn’t at his house, and his security guard at his parent’s house didn’t know where the young boss was. Jimin sat there for two minutes, staring at the loft. It felt weird being there. The last time he came over was the week after he shot Jungkook. He’d hope it was all a dream, and that Jungkook would be waiting for him at his apartment.

Jimin exhales, just as he was about to step out of the car, he spots Jungkook from around the corner with bags in his hands. He wore denim jeans with a white t-shirt. Jimin sighs. Shit. He came all the way here; it would be a waste to turn around now. He watches as Jungkook goes up the steps and walks over to his apartment.

As soon as he gets inside, Jimin takes a deep breath, not sure why he was nervous. He turns on the engine and pulls out of the parking lot. He makes a U-turn at the corner, and pulls up in front of Jungkook’s apartment complex, and parks the car near a black Ford Mustang. He climbs out of the car and locks it. He looks around, the place was quiet, which was one of the reasons Jungkook mentioned he liked it.

When he reached the apartment, the door was slightly opened. His hand clenched wondering if he should knock? And decides to do it, maybe he can have Jungkook give him the tape, and be on his way. The thought of being alone with him, made his heart race.

Hesitant, he knocks on the door softly, taking a step back, pretending that he came by chance. After a few minutes, he heard footsteps, as the door opens wide. Except, the person standing at the doorway was not Jungkook. The guy stood tall, maybe six feet, dressed in black cargo pants and a white shirt. His hair was dirty blonde with almond shape eyes and brown pupils. He was handsome. If Jungkook was not an only child, he would think they were related, or maybe they were, its not like he knew Jungkook. The guy stares at him, puzzled for like a minute before smiling, and exposing a deep set of dimples. He was really handsome, Jimin couldn’t help but wonder who he is? He looked at Jimin like he knew him but tried not to show.

“Jungkook!” calls the guy, “You have a guest.” Jimin stares at him dumbfounded, as he hears Jungkook’s voice, questioning who it was, as he makes his way to the door. His eyes widen as he sees Jimin. Jimin bites his lower lip, the shock on Jungkook’s face, made him feel unwelcomed.

“I’m gonna go,” says the guy.

“Namjoon-hyung,” says Jungkook, “you don’t have to go.”

Namjoon-hyung? Hyung? Wondered Jimin, they must be close. Is he a relative or something?

“Hmm? I actually have things to finish,” replies the guy who he referred to as Namjoon. Namjoon chuckles, squeezing his shoulder, as Jimin steps aside to let him walk out.

They both turn to each other. Jungkook clears his throat, “Come in.”

“I’m not here for a chat, I just want the tape,” says Jimin.

“Tape?”

“Don’t mess with me right now,” says Jimin, his face hardening, annoyed.

Jungkook sighs, “Can you at least come on in, you’re letting the hot air in.” Jimin chuckles, rolling his eyes as he stares at him,

“Seriously?”

“Please,” replies Jungkook, softly. Jimin glances around and walks inside. Jungkook closes the door. Jimin crosses his arms, glancing around the room, not much changed.

“Who was that?” asks Jimin.

“Namjoon-hyung,” replies Jungkook.

“Yeah? Who is he?” he asks, irritated, trying to ignore the sour taste in his mouth. His jaw tightens, anticipating the answer.

“A friend,” replies Jungkook.

Jimin cocks his head, in disbelieve, “A friend?”

“Yeah,” replies Jungkook.

Jimin scoffs, “Right? Does he work with you and your father or something?”

“What’s with the questions?” asks Jungkook, eyes narrowed with a smirk

“Nothing,” he replies quickly, “Just amazed at how much lies you spent telling me in the past.”

For some reason the thought of Jungkook being close to someone he was not related to making his chest tighten. They stared at each other silently. A heavy tension filling up the room. Jimin wilted under Jungkook’s gaze, his breathing, constricted and shallow. A part of him screamed to get out of the apartment but a part of him wanted to grab Jungkook and kiss him. A thought that made his knees weak, and minds guilty.

“He’s my adopted brother,” Jungkook says, breaking the silence. Jimin found himself exhaling, relieved but also surprised. Another truth, Jungkook omitted.

“Adopted brother?”

“Yes.”

Jimin lifted an eyebrow, “Really? How come your parents only have you listed as an only child?”

“Because he was not adopted through the system,” replies Jungkook, his voice trailing off, silence again. He clears his throat, “I’ll go get you the tape.”

 

Jimin watches as he heads towards his room, exhaling loudly as he pushes his hair back. Amazed and ashamed at how overwhelming it was being around him. He felt more safe chasing criminals and arresting them than he does with Jungkook. He curses at himself for feeling anything other than hatred and anger towards him, but even he wasn’t a fool to ignore the sensation and tingles in his bodies at the smell of Jungkook’s cologne. The sound of his voice. His smile. The thought of Jungkook telling him, that he would always protect him, made his body hot. He hates it. His body and mind were not on the same path- his body craved for his touch and his mind warned him of the danger. The lies. The pain.

 

Jungkook walked back to the living room where Jimin was standing and holds out a small USB.

“What is that?”

“The confession,” he replies.

“You said tape,” he says, confused.

“Yes, I taped it and saved it in the USB, this is a copy I made for you,” he says, “I have no use for it, so I destroyed the original.”

“And am I supposed to believe the authenticity of it, just because you said so?”

Jungkook exhales, his smile fading and replaced with annoyance, “Jimin-hy- Detective,” he says, “I have no reason to lie to you now.” Before Jimin could protest, Jungkook took his hand, placing the USB on his palm. There was a pause. For a long moment, they looked at each other in silence. Jungkook’s large rough hand still held his. He was even more beautiful up close. Jimin reluctantly pulled his hand away.

“Thanks,” he managed to say, as he turns around, walking away.

“Jimin,” Jungkook calls softly, causing him to stop in his track, as his heart squeezed tightly against his chest. He fought the urge to turn and look at him, in fear of losing control of himself and giving in to his feelings buried deep, fighting to surface. It was suffocating. He remained silent, waiting for Jungkook to speak.

“Nothing,” Jungkook finally said, “Be careful.”  His voice sounded pained but maybe it was all Jimin’s imagination. He knew without a doubt that Jungkook regretted nothing, so how can he feel pain? If he had regrets, he would have come to see him when he came back to Busan, but that was not the case. If he had not seen him that night in the club, it was unlikely, that their paths would have crossed. They were not lovers nor friends. They meant nothing to each other, just strangers that shared past. Nothing more.

Jimin exhales, disappointed, not sure what he had hoped Jungkook was going to say.

“I know,” he replies back, harshly, as his hand squeezed the USB tightly in his palm. He sighs and opens the door, and closing shut behind him. He leans against the door briefly. He felt like someone plunged a knife into his chest. Everything around him became distorted. He cast his gaze at the ground, biting his lower lip as his eyes glimmered with watery tears.  He shakes his head, as a soft chuckle escapes his mouth, fighting the liquid that clouded his view.

 

As he walks towards his car, his cellphone rings, and he places the USB in his pocket. He takes out his cellphone, as he unlocks his car, and gets inside the car. He stares at the number displayed on his phone, it was the number of the burner phone, he bought for his Informant. Jimin inhales deeply, clear his throat as he answers the phone.

“Yes?”

“I found the information you wanted,” says the Informant over the phone, “Do you have time to meet today, Sir?”

Jimin snuffles, “Yes, I have time. Where are you right now?”

“Still at work, on my break,” he replies.

“Alright, I’ll meet you at nine tonight, at the usual place,” he replies.

“Okay.”

Chapter Text

The office was busy as usual when Jimin walked in on Tuesday morning with a case file of the man, Kato Takashi that his informant told him about. He managed to dig up the information and build a file. He was a Japanese businessman whose name came up more than once in ties to Yakuza and corruption cases. It wasn’t uncommon for big organized crime syndicates to work together but Jimin could not fathom his link to the Jeon, aside from the ships.

“Hey,” says Taehyung, as they both walk towards their desk.

“Morning,” replies Taehyung.

“What’s that?” asks Taehyung, eyeing the file in Jimin’s hand.

“Oh, just a case file of the Japanese boss my informant heard about,” he replies, “Is the- “

“Park!” a familiar voice barked across the room, cutting him off.

Jimin turns around, and Chief detective Yoongi stood in the doorway of his office.

“Sir?” says Jimin, heading towards his direction.

“In my office,” he commands, making Jimin nervous, as he glances around. Everyone was looking at him. He gulps, wondering what he did wrong?

He turned back into his office as Jimin follows.

“Close the door and have a seat.”

Jimin does as he was told, and walks over to have a seat, glancing around the office. It’s been a while since he was summoned to his office. Something was wrong. He could feel in his gut. Yoongi at Jimin for a few seconds, before pulling up a picture and placing in front of him. Jimin’s eyes widen, as he stares at the picture of him standing in front of Jungkook’s apartment from yesterday.

“What’s the meaning of this?” asks Yoongi, leaning his arms on his desk. Jimin sighs. Wondering what he should say? He wanted to tell the truth, but the truth now would only make him look suspicious. He knew that it was stupid to pretend otherwise. He stares at the photo, cruising at himself for being so careless. He had forgotten, Jungkook had people watching him. But then again, it’s like he was doing anything wrong.

Jimin clears his throat, “I can explain Sir.”

“I’m all ears.”

“I don't know why I went to see him. I just…I don’t know I wanted to hear the truth from his mouth- “

“What truth?”

“I guess, I still haven’t processed the fact that it was all lies. Everything he said and did three years ago, I just wanted to confront him,” he says, looking into his eyes. He had hoped to get a sense of what he was thinking but the Chief has always been good at keeping a poker face. It was truly intimidating.

Yoongi sighs, “I see,” he says, “The thing is you cannot go making house calls to a suspect.”

“I know Sir. I’m sorry. It won’t happen again.”

“I believe we have a bigger problem now that headquarters are aware of Jungkook’s return, they want him investigated as well,” he says, “I was able to keep these photos away but I need to know…are…do you still have…are you…um, do you still have feelings for him?”

Jimin’s mouth hung open, incapable of forming a response. How the hell did he find out? Jimin froze. His mind raced for answers and urged him to react but nothing.

“My father among his files had a security tape that I feel he hid in order to protect you guys,” he says, “Those files were sent to me, luckily no one saw it so…” Jimin fidgeted with his fingers, he couldn’t recall what Yoongi was telling but there were times when Jungkook and he were reckless and made love at the office. Did the former Chief Min know about their relationship? It was too late to lie about it now, Yoongi knew.

Jimin sighs, “I-I- “

“Don’t get me wrong,” says Yoongi, “I have nothing against you, people are free to be with whoever they want but I need to know because if this ever comes out…I want to be able to defend you.”

“I-I…” stutters Jimin, he was not sure how to answer. He wasn’t sure what his feelings towards Jungkook are? But he would rather die than make a fool of himself.

“No Sir,” he replies finally, “I have no feelings for him aside from hate.”

“Hmm? Are you sure?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Okay, so if I were to give a task of using said feelings to get in contact with him, would that be a problem?”

“What?”

“You are the only person who survived the ambush, I don’t think that was a coincidence,” he says, “Your past relationship with Jungkook is the only leverage we have, it would be a shame to not use it, but that’s if you are up to it detective.”

“What’re you saying, Sir?”

“I am giving you an option to do whatever it takes to help us avenge those who died in that ambush and also get rid those who live of the pain of others. Jeon Jungkook is just a pawn, an important pawn but it’s his father we want. So, are you in Detective?”

Jimin stared at him. He wanted Jungkook to be punished. He wanted him to pay for the lies and betrayal. He shattered his heart and maybe it was time to give him a taste of that medicine.

“Alright, I’m in Sir,” he replies, not with confidence but he hoped the boss didn’t pick that up. How is he supposed to use Jungkook’s feelings when he isn’t sure if Jungkook’s feelings were ever true? Did he even love him? If he did, then why did he not come back and beg for forgiveness? Why is he working for his father?

“Are you sure, you’re up to this, Jimin?” asks Yoongi, with a change of tone, worried, “This is dangerous.”

“Well, one can only be a fool once, if they let themselves be fooled again than they are stupid,” he replies.

“Okay, you do what is necessary to get close to Jungkook,” says the Chief.

“Sir?” asks Jimin.

“Yes.”

“The security tape-do you still- “

“I already destroyed it,” says Yoongi, “I don’t want that kind of things getting out. It’ll ruin your reputation.”

“Thank you, sir. But why didn’t you say anything earlier?”

“It’s none of my business, and protecting my people is my job,” he replies, “No need to thank me. Anyway, where are we with your informant?”

Jimin gasps remembering the file, he hands it to the chief, “The man’s name is Kato Takashi also known as Kat.”

“Takashi?” says Yoongi, “Who is he.”

“Well, he is the son of Ryo Takashi. The Takashi clan is suspected to have ties to the Yakuza, and they were recently investigated by the Japanese Safety Commission for corruption but nothing stuck. They own multiple banks, art galleries and they own many cargo ships, and 90 of them dock at the ports of Busan.  He is apparently, here for an auction.”

“Hmm? So whatever business he is really here for, the auction must be a front.”

“That’s what I was thinking.”

“When is this auction?”

“Um…the only auction that is being held in Busan is on the twenty-fourth and the twenty-fifth at K Auction,” he replies.

“Okay, I’ll let you take the lead, this is your case,” says Yoongi.

Jimin’s eyes widen, “Me? a team leader?”

“Yes, do you not want the case?”

“Thank you, Sir,” he says, “I’ll do my best.”

“I know you will. Keep me posted.”

“Yes, Sir.”

 

Once at his desk, Jimin drops the file, exhaling loudly. He still could not believe, all these years. Just what else was he hiding? It was only nine am in the morning, and the day started with shit.

“So, what was that about?” asks Taehyung, startling him.

“Nothing, just briefing him on what I found,” he says, quickly, “And I’ve got a lead, and I would like to know if you and Dahyun would like to pursue it with me. The Chief gave me the lead on the case.”

“Team leader?” says Taehyung, followed by a whistle, “Nice, upgrade.” Jimin rolls his eyes,

“It’s only for this case, so would you like to join me?”

“Of course,” says Taehyung.

“Of course, what?” says Dahyun, joining them.

“Jimin has a lead and he is leading the case,” replies Taehyung.

“Oh cool,” says Dahyun, “Chose a team yet?”

“Yeah, Taehyung and you,” he replies.

“And what about me?” asks Jaejoong turning around in his chair. Jimin sighs.

“I could use more people,” says Jimin, “If you want than you can join too.”

“I want to,” he says, with a smirk.

“Alright then,” says Jimin.

***

Jimin glanced around at the faces that stared at him. He was done reporting on what he found about Kato Takashi.

“Well?”

“You did all this yesterday? On your day off?” asks Dahyun, astonished.

“Well, I had the time,” he replies, which was a lie. He decided to do research and calls to distract himself from watching the tape. He was afraid. Of what, he was not sure. He couldn’t sleep, so he decided to search up Kato Takashi. The information was public, nothing a simple google search couldn’t bring up. He wanted more information, he had to connect this case to the Jeons, or else it would all be a waste. This was the first time he had the lead on a case, and it was exciting but also overwhelming.

“Okay, so what do you want us to do?”

“Well, the auction is next weekend,” he says, “We still have nothing concrete; we need something to connect him to the Jeons.”

“Aside from the ships?” asks Jaejoong.

“Yes, aside from the ships,” says Jimin, “So in the meantime, I want Taehyung and Dahyun to find out where he is staying and follow him. Jaejoong, I want you to stake out the port, I want to know everything.”

“I’m following Jeon Jungkook- “

“The Chief said I could do that,” he replies.

“Did he now?”

“Yes,” replies Jimin, annoyed, “I know Jungkook better than anyone. He won’t suspect me at all.”

“Hmm?” says Jaejoong with an annoying grin, “You’re in charge. Staking the port, it is.”

“Okay, that is all,” says Jimin, “Everyone can get to work, and keep me posted. We only have a few days until the auction so let’s make it count.”

“Do we call you Sir?” teases Dahyun.

Jimin chuckles, “Please, how old do I look?”

“Hmm, eighteen,” she replies, bursting outing laughing. Jimin glares at her, “Aww, come on don’t be mad. I’m just kidding.”

“If I look eighteen then you look fifty,” he teases back, as she gasps, feeling insulted. They all burst out laughing, except for Jaejoong. Jimin clears his throat, “Let’s get to work, we have plenty to do.”

****

After work, Jimin took a shower and changed into comfortable clothes. After eating dinner, he decided to watch the confession. Not sure what to except. His heart pounded loudly in his chest.

Jimin sat on the bed with his laptop, he stares at the USB and plugs it in his laptop. He waits until the computer read it, and his file folder opened. He scrolls through and finds the USB file and double clicks. The DVD player app pops up, and he waits as it loads, not sure what to expect. His heart rate rises, and muscles tense up, as his eyes glued on the screen. A man tied to a chair, beaten and blood in a basement looking place showed up on the screen, the lights were kind of dimmed. Jimin gulps, biting his lower lip as he stares at the face staring back at him from the screen. The man obviously looked like he was tortured and in pain, and the thought of Jungkook doing that made his stomach turn even if he was a criminal.

“I-I, Kim Young do,” the man struggles to say, followed by a cough, “On July, 3rdth of 2013, killed Detective Park Ju-eun, an undercover cop who worked as a hostess under the name Yeri.”

“Why?” Jungkook’s voice came but he was not visible. Jimin smirks, staying off the camera. Smart bastard.

“She knew too much.”

“Well, you killed the wrong person,” Jungkook’s voice comes again, “Get rid of him.”

 “Yes Sir,” another voice came,

“I’m sorry Sir!” the man pleaded, “Please don’t kill me, I was just- “

and within a split second, a crackling sound fills the screen, as a bullet hit the man in the chest, silencing him as blood stained his shirt, then another one, and then the screen went black.

Jimin gasps, loss at words, did he just watch a man get executed? He felt like his eyes were deceiving him. He didn’t want to believe that Jungkook was capable of such cruelty, even to someone who he would kill with his bare hands.

His stomach lurched, and he quickly got off the bed and ran to the bathroom, and chunks of the dinner he ate found themselves in the toilet bowl. He flashes the toilet as he stands up, taking in a deep breath, Is this the real Jeon Jungkook? Cold hearted? But then again, it wasn’t a secret, Jungkook was never phased by anything. But what kind of person that does make me? he wondered. The detective side of him knew he could use this as means to arrest him for murder but deep down, he knows Jungkook did what he would have done if that man was brought in front of him. What he couldn’t fathom is why? Why would Jungkook get blood on his hands for him? Was this just another ploy to fool him?

I have to find out what else is he capable of. How far is he willing to go?

Chapter Text

Three years ago…

Jeon Jungkook had been his partner for almost a year now. The funny thing was that when the Chief made them partners, they barely spoke to each other. And when they did it was mostly work related. Jimin found his presences relaxing and they had become a unit. But more than that, he loved being around him, not sure why? He has always been aware of his sexuality, but he managed to convince himself that Jungkook was just a partner and a friend. Thinking outside those two parameters was dangerous. Especially since he was confident, Jungkook was straight, and as everyone else was concerned so was he.

 

They sat in companionable silence as they watched the Octagon Club. They were assigned to stake out the club since it was the only one not hit. The owner was suspected of ordering the hit on the other clubs, to get rid of the competition for illegal gambling. Ara and Dahyun were undercover as dancers, and Jaehyun was a bartender, while Jungkook and he were staking out the club for anything unusual. It’s been a week since they have been doing the same routine each night, and so far, nothing.

 

It was getting late, and sleepiness was starting to set in. Jimin sighs. He glances over at Jungkook who was looking outside the window. He wanted something to happen. Anything. Something interesting or something stupid. But what would something stupid be? Jimin scans his face, very strong jaw and a model like a side profile. Strong neck. Long lashes, more visible from the side. He smelled so good.

“Hey,” says Jungkook catching his gaze.

“Yeah?” says Jimin, eyes darting around the car, in the pretense that he was looking for something or at something else.

“Should we just call it a night?”

Jimin glances at his watch, it was past midnight, 1:30 am, the club was closing soon, and so far, they heard nothing strange from the others.

“Yeah,” he says, “I’ll let the others know.” He pulls out his cellphone and sends a quick message to them, and they sat in silence waiting for a reply. It wasn’t long until the phone beeped, and it was a message from everyone, telling them they got the message.

“Okay, we’re good to go,” he says.

“Do you need to go to the station?” asks Jungkook, turning on the engine.

“No,” replies Jimin.

“Would you like to come over for drinks?” asks Jungkook, turning to him. Jimin’s eyes widen, surprised at the random invitation. Whenever one of them invited them out for drinks, Jungkook would turn it down. This was a first. It somehow made Jimin feel special.

“Um…sure.”

Jungkook smiles, the widest grin, Jimin has seen on him, it was strange. The guy barely smiled and a simple yes, was able to make him light up. Jimin couldn’t help but wonder if Jungkook-He shakes his head, ridding the thoughts of anything other than friendship.

 

When they reached the apartment complex, Jimin stared at it. It was a two-story apartment. Jungkook parks the car and turns to Jimin.

“I live on the second floor, no elevator just stairs,” he says, smiling. Jimin returns the smile, his heart skipping a beat. He was going to alone with Jungkook at his apartment.

 

Jimin followed him upstairs, silently, as Jungkook takes out his key when they approached his apartment. He watched him as he opens the door. Jimin glances around, it was quiet and dark.

“You don’t live with your parents?” asks Jimin, as he follows Jungkook inside, closing the door behind him.

“I’m not really on speaking terms with my parents,” he replies, “I told you they weren’t happy with my choice of career.”

“Yeah, I would imagine,” says Jimin, “My parents were too excited about me joining the force either.”

“Wasn’t your sister a detective?” asks Jungkook.

“She was? But her death made my parents protective of me,” he says.

“Hmm, I think our parents are upset for different reasons, have a seat,” says Jungkook, “I’ll make us something to eat.”

“Um…nothing heavy,” says Jimin, “I don’t eat late at night.”

“Yeah?” says Jungkook with a smirk, “trying to keep that perfect body or what?”

Jimin laughs, “well, this body doesn’t happen by itself.”

Jungkook chuckles.

“I feel you,” he replies, “Make yourself, feels at home.”

Jimin watches him as he heads into the kitchen. He looks around the apartment, it was small, big enough for one person. The living room and kitchen were connected. There was one black couch, a flat screen television on the screen. Nothing personal. No family photos. No photo of himself.

 

Jimin sat down on the couch, as Jungkook comes back from the kitchen with a bowl of dried fruits and nuts, with two bottles of soju. He places the bowl of dried fruits and nuts on the small table in front of the couch.

He sat next to him, his knee brushing against Jimin’s. Jimin tried not to jump from the electricity that shot through his body. Jimin watches him as he spins the cap of the beer, and hands it to him,

“Thanks,” says Jimin, taking a long sip of the drink.

 

The two spent ten to fifteen minutes chitchatting about random things. Jimin was surprised by how talkative Jungkook was. They were both relaxed. It was the first time, he has seen him laugh and talk so much. But then again, maybe it was the beer, they were two bottles down. Jimin could handle his alcohol, he’d always had a high tolerance since high school but now, he couldn’t tell if it was the alcohol or his heart pounding loudly in his ears that were making him nervous. Or Maybe it was the fact that Jungkook was sitting close to him

Jungkook clears his throat, “So you became a police officer to find your sister’s killer?”

“Yes,” says Jimin, gazing at the bottle in his hand. He chuckles, opening to say something but nothing came out until finally, he said,

 “I never dreamed of becoming a cop. I love it but once I do find the bastard that killed my sister, I think I might quit.”

“Hmm?” says Jungkook, “What would you do?”

“Go somewhere, anywhere,” he replies, “Maybe become a model, or idol as the Chief said on the first day.”

“Well, you sure do have the looks,” says Jungkook, locking eyes with him, as he licks his lip. A gesture that made Jimin breathless, followed by the compliment. He blushed. Calm down Jimin, he urged himself, mentally.

“How about you? what would you do if you weren’t a police officer?”

Jungkook gazes him. Silent. His eyes scanning Jimin’s face. Searching for something. Anything. But what? His silence made Jimin nervous.

“I would probably be working for my dad,” he replies, breaking the silence. Jimin stared at him, for a second, not sure if he was joking or serious. Jungkook stared at him, for a few seconds, and then gave him a sexy grin.

“You’re too easy,” says Jungkook, laughing, as he playfully hits his shoulder. Jimin chuckles, surprised, Jungkook doesn’t usually make jokes. His looks are so distracting, it was difficult to imagine what kind of person he was.

He looks at Jimin, his gaze intense, and hot, “I don’t know what I would do,” he replies quietly, “Maybe- maybe you can take me to wherever you decide to go.”

Jimin averts his gaze, unable to look him in the eyes, without an image of them kissing flashing in his mind, “I’m gonna have to find my sister’s killer first.”

“We’ll find him together,” he says, in a serious tone.

“Promise?”

“Promise,” he says, holding out his pinky. Jimin stares at him baffled at the childlike gesture but decides to humor him. He interlocks his small pinky with his. His senses tingle. His sense of reason was starting to drift, and the temptation was getting unbearable. He lets go of his finger, glancing at his watch. Time had gone by quickly. He didn’t want to leave but he knew he had to before he does something. He would regret.

“Um…thanks for the drinks,” says Jimin, placing the bottle down, “It’s getting late, I should head out.”

“Oh?” says Jungkook, glancing at his own watch, “Shit. Time goes by fast.” His disappointment showed clearly, despite trying to suppress it with a smile.

“Yeah, I had a great time, we should do it again.”

Neither of them moved. The tension in the air around them seemed to simmer. No one said anything.  Jimin looks at him directly in the eye, then shift his gaze deliberately to one corner of the room, then the other before turning back to him. He thought Jungkook looked like he was waiting for something, but what?

Jimin sighs, as they both stand up, exchanging awkward glances. “I’ll grab a taxi,” says Jimin, “We’ve both been drinking.”

The truth was, none of them were drunk, but Jimin could not stand another thirty-minute drive filled with silence, and tension.

“Good night,” Jimin says. Jungkook was quiet, he seemed lost in his head. Jimin wished he could read his mind. Jimin turned to leave but stopped when Jungkook called his name. He turned back to him, taking a deep breath, and looking at him in the eyes, trying to read his face. Jimin’s throat was locked, and he was scared shitless. Jungkook took a step closer to him, and Jimin tensed up.

“I’m not good with words,” he murmurs, “I suck at foreplays, I invited you here because I- was-I hoped something will happen.”

A loss at words, Jimin swallowed hard, slightly nodding his head. He was not sure where this was going but he was excited.

“Usually, I’m good at reading signs, but I don’t know, maybe I’m mistaken,” he says, dimly.

“Mistaken about what?”

“About why were both still here?”

Jimin licked his lips, “No…I don’t think you’re mistaken about that,” he replies softly. Jungkook took another step towards him, closing the distance. His eyes were seductive. His cologne enticing. Aroused. Jimin felt the urge to do something but was too scared to move. He decided to let Jungkook take whatever lead, he wanted. Jungkook stared into dark and light brown eyes, as he raises his hand, placing on his cheek- the sensation was enough to send shivers down his body. He watched as Jungkook leaned in while caressing his cheek, and then his hand moved to his nape, tugging him closer and gently pressed his lips against his. For a second, Jimin’s mind went numb as the spark from Jungkook’s lips against his shoot throughout his body. Then without hesitation, his eyes closed. At first, it was confusing and strange but felt hot and enticing. The gentle pressure of Jungkook's mouth on his was amazing and when he felt his tongues slide between his lips, he couldn’t help but jerk in reaction. This was his first real kiss with another man. But judging by the way, Jungkook had control of himself, in the way held on to his waist, tugging him closer. Jimin’s hands tighten, holding on to his hips for balance. There was no rational thought anymore, no room for consequence or regret.

The vibrating in Jungkook’s backpack caused him to pull back, “I’m sorry,” his voice wavers, exhilarated from the kiss. Jimin quietly nodded, unable to comprehend what just happened. He silently watches as Jungkook pulls his cellphone. He stares at the screen, and his eyes widen.

“What it is?” asks Jimin.

“Fuck!” he mutters underneath his breath, “Um…I have to take care of something.” Jimin scoffs, at the change of atmosphere,

“Is everything alright?”

“Yeah. Um…I’ll sees you tomorrow,” he says, quickly. Jimin raises an eyebrow but exhales not wanting to cause a problem. Jungkook’s phone rings this time, and he forces a smile.

“I’m sorry,” he says.

“It’s okay,” says Jimin, watching him for a few seconds. Suspicious. Jungkook’s entire demeanor had changed. He couldn’t help but wonder who was calling him? and why he was so freaked out? One second they are making out and the next second, he is being kicked out? What a way to end the night?

Chapter Text

Jimin pulls up in front of the club. There was a long line of people, waiting to get into the club. Friday Night was always the busiest day. The night was bright, illuminated the moon that hung above them in the middle of the sky, with the stars twinkling. Jimin has been trying to find a reason to approach Jungkook, without coming off as strong. Jungkook was intelligent, observant and most importantly dangerous. He has no clue what feelings Jungkook has towards him? Hatred? Love? Regret? Revenge?

It shouldn’t matter, after all, he had a job to do, and he was willing to do whatever it took to get it done. Jimin exhales, sitting in the car for a minute, gathering his thoughts. He stares at the USB in his hand, this was the only reason he had to approach Jungkook. It wasn’t an official visit, so he decided to dress to impress-he wore black ripped up jeans at the knees with a long sleeve collared black shirt with red hearts. He decided to wear his silver hoop earrings with a cross. It’s been a while since he wore hanging earrings since they were not allowed at work, he wore small diamond ones so his piercings wouldn’t close.

 

He undid two of his top buttons as he approached the security guard, cutting the line. Unofficial or not, he was not about to stand in line. People stared. He smiles, pulling out his badge. The security guard recognized him and knew better than to start trouble. He moved out of the way, letting him inside.

As soon as he entered, he was hit with purple light and thumping beat, that made the floors and walls vibrate. He glances over at the bar, where he recognized the regular bartender, the young man, whom he never bothered to ask for his name. But today, he didn’t come for drinks or taunt the security guards that were eyeing him. He came to talk to the boss himself, Jeon Jungkook.

He made his way straight to the VIP section where two guards stood. Their demeanor and expression changed the second they made eye contact with him. Jimin smirked.

“Here to start trouble again detective?” asks the security guard.

“Is your boss in?” asks Jimin, ignoring his remarks, not in the mood to engage.

“He is,” replies the other security guard.

“Great,” he says, “I need to see him.”

“Um…we have an instruction that he is not to be disturbed?” Jimin glares them, impatiently.

“Let me through or we will have a problem. I am here on official business,” he lies. The two guards exchange glances, shaking their head in disbelieve. One of them presses their earpiece, muttering something, he couldn’t hear over the music. He glances back at Jimin and nods his head towards the other one. Jimin watches as he unclips the rope and moves aside,

“Thank you,” he says, teasingly, walking past them, but then stops, “Would you mind telling me where his office is?”

“Straight ahead, walk past the bathroom on the right,” replies the man.

“Cool.”

 

As he strolls through, he glanced at the VIP section, it was a small room in the shape of a circle with no door but still hidden from the eyes of the regular clubbers outside. It had its own waitress and bar, at least from what he could see. Most of the people were men in suits, mainly foreigners, and female with a trendy dress. In the middle was a podium with a girl dancing on it, while the other girls were in the men’s arms. Jimin sighs. That was definitely a different feature. Jimin took a note of it, any whispers of sexual favors and that would illegal, but he knew Jungkook, who now owns the club wouldn’t be that stupid. The security guard standing at the entrance of the circle shape room, he locked eyes with Jimin. Urging him to move along. Jimin forces a smile, continuing his walk towards the bathroom, it was down the hall.

He turns on the right and comes to a door with the sign, employee only. He takes a deep breath and walks towards the door.

He was about to knock on the door, but it swings opens, causing him to take a step back. There was a girl, staring right at him. She wore a red dress. Her cleavage exposed by the tight dress. She had pitch black hair, pale skin, and red lipstick. She looked familiar but Jimin could recall where he saw her. The girl snickers, bumping into him as she walks by.

Bitch.

Jimin watches until she disappears around the corner and turns back as Jungkook gets up from his chair. He gestures for him to come in. Jimin walks in and closes the door behind him. He scans the office. It was not Jungkook’s style. He wondered if he bothered decorating it. It seemed like he left it as the last owner had it.

“This is a surprise,” he says, walking around the desk, and standing in front of it.

Jimin smiles, “Is this a bad time?”

“Well, that depends,” replies Jungkook, leaning back against the desk, “Is this an official visit?”

“No.”

Jungkook smirks, as they engage in eye contact. Jimin follows his gaze as he checks him out- from head to toe and back up, his eyes lingering at the undone buttons. He knew that look; he has seen it many times before they had sex. Jungkook was undressing him with his eyes. He has this penetrating expression on his face that made Jimin want to lust for him.

Jimin broke the gaze. He was supposed to seduce not the other way around. He clears his throat,

“I wasn’t going to come,” he says, “I thought of all the reasons to not show up here. But I realized it was the least I can do. I just wanted to thank you.”

“Thank me?”

“For seeking revenge for my sister,” he replies, putting his hand in the pocket and pulling out the USB, “You should keep this.” He lifts up his head and meets his gaze. Jungkook’s gaze was soft, or at least he thought it was.

“I don’t know why I came here,” says Jimin, “I guess watching that confession, I realized that…”

“You realized what?” asks Jungkook, his voice soft, and hasten.

Jimin chuckles softly, “I don’t know…I just…I have all these old memories flooding back, and apart of me don’t know what to think anymore. I just want to know why? Why’d you looked for that man? Who are you? What kind of person are you?”

Jungkook exhales loudly, his gaze falling on the USB. Without uttering a word, he walked towards him and takes the USB. His hand lingered over his, his fingers lightly caressed his. Jimin inhales. Jungkook gazed at him for what felt like an eternity before speaking again.

“I just wanted you to have closure,” he replies, moving back to the desk, and placing the USB on the top of the counter. He turns to Jimin again.

“Closure?” says Jimin, in a mere whisper. He takes a step towards him, leaving a little room between them, “What does that mean?” Jungkook clears his throat. Silent. Jimin smiles. He curls his hand into a fist, not sure of what else to do. As much as he wanted to pretend, he couldn’t. His hand trembled but he managed to reach up, and gently touch his face. Jungkook’s beautiful dark brown doe eyes widen. Jimin was sure he wasn’t expecting him to do that. He, himself was not sure where the confidence was coming from? Jungkook remained motionless. Frozen. Taken back. Jimin continued caressing his face, gently, watching him melt, at his touch. The feel of his skin sent a wave of shivers through his body.

He then regretted being in his personal space yet found it hard to move away as Jungkook’s gaze held him in a steady trance while studying him carefully. For years, Jimin wondered if he would ever feel the love, he had for Jungkook ever again for someone else, but standing here, he realized, those feelings never left, and they would have never left even if he had been with someone else.

His worst fear was coming to life. He knew now that he would never feel for someone else what he feels for Jungkook. Jungkook placed his hand over Jimin. Without uttering a word, he brought his hand to his lips and kissed it. Jimin gasped. It was soft and tender. New Sensations. Jungkook looked up at him, meeting his shocked gaze once again. His eyes glimmered with water. Jimin’s heart ached. For a minute his pain, his job, were all forgotten and replaced with the strong bond they’d once shared.

Jungkook closed the distance between Jimin, as Jimin stared at him. Confused. Hurt. Relieved. He felt a wave of emotions, all kinds, but all were nothing when he realized Jungkook had wrapped his arms around him and drew him close against his body. Being in his arms again, reminded him of the love they once shared. It was still there, and he needed to get away from him as soon as possible before he loses all sense of control.

Jimin ripped himself out of his arms, taking a step back, Jungkook stared at him, puzzled.

“Jimin?” he calls softly, and tender. Jimin shook his head, not necessarily responding to him, but chastising himself, for letting Jungkook inside once again. His heart hammered. It ached. Standing in front of him was the man he loved and trusted. The man who knew his deepest thoughts, fears and dreams. Now he hated him. He was more scared of himself than Jungkook.

“I have to go,” Jimin quickly says, breaking the uneasy tension and silence. He turns, heading to the door, hoping Jungkook doesn’t say anything or follow him. He was not sure what he would do if he does?

He swung the door open and closes it. Jungkook didn’t’ say anything or followed.

Not sure when he got to his car, Jimin breathes heavily, as he gently places his hand over his chest, gripping his shirt. He closes his eyes, as Jungkook’s sweet masculine fragrance lingered on him.

I’m so stupid. Why did I let him hug me like that? Fuck!

Chapter Text

Jimin parks the car and heads towards his apartment. Feeling overwhelmed, he quickly went up to the stairs. As he approaches the apartment, he notices the lights were on from underneath the door. He looks around, swearing he turned off the lights. He sighs. He left his gun in the car and the other one was inside the house. He reaches the doorknob, hesitantly, and twists it, to find it unlocked.

“Did I leave unlocked again?” he mutters underneath his breath, as he slowly pushes the door open. A blast of the air-conditioned blow on him, with the lights on. “I must’ve forgotten to turn off the lights.”

He was about to close the door when he heard noise from the kitchen. Jimin glances around, slowly tiptoeing towards the kitchen. Someone was in the house.

When he reached the kitchen, he exhaled when he saw Kim Taehyung standing in his kitchen, weapon drowned, pointing at him. Jimin’s eyes widen, confused.

“Jimin?” he says, puzzled.

Jimin scoffs, “What’re you doing?”

Taehyung exhales relived, “You left without saying a word to anyone,” he says, putting his gun away, “Dahyun’s been calling you but you didn’t answer your phone. So, she urged me to come to check on you and I found your door unlocked.”

“Oh?” says Jimin, “Bad Habit.”

Taehyung watched him silent for a second, his eyes scanning, his eyes lingered at Jimin’s exposed chest before clearing his throat and meeting his gaze. Jimin stared at him, feeling awkward. Despite the fact that they’ve been working together for nearly a year, he has never spoken or hanged out with Taehyung outside of work. It was weird that Taehyung came to check on him. He was handsome. He still wore the clothes he had on at work- black pants, a white collar with a blue blazer.

“Didn’t you go home?” asks Jimin.

“I had some errands to run,” he replies, glancing around, “I passed here when I got Dahyun’s message.”

“Oh? Sorry for the trouble,” says Jimin.

“It’s alright,” he replies with a soft smile, “Well…where are you coming from?” Jimin takes a look at his clothes and smiles. He runs his fingers through his hair, not sure how to explain or if he wanted to bring up it. What would be the point? He was unable to get the information he went there for.

“Just went out,” he says finally.

“A Date?” asks Taehyung, curiously.

“Um…no,” laughs Jimin, “It’s nothing.”

“Oh? Okay,” says Taehyung, “Well, you’re okay so I’ll just go home.”

“Thanks for checking on me,” he says, walking him to the door, “You shouldn’t listen to Dahyun. She intends to freak out over nothing.”

Taehyung turns to face him, biting his lower lip. Silent. Loss in thoughts. Jimin stares at him, wondering what he was thinking about?

Taehyung clears his throat, “Look…the thing is…when Dahyun is drunk. She intends to talk a lot…she told me something and- “

“What did she tell you?” Jimin asks, nervously.

“Um…she told me that…well, this was after you brought in Jungkook…she said she is scared that she’ll lose you to him again.”

Jimin’s eyes widen, as he crosses his arms. Damn it Dahyun! She had to out him out. Maybe Taehyung didn’t think much of it. But why would he bring it up, if he didn’t?

He inhales deeply, “She always talks nonsense when she is drunk.”

“I figured,” says Taehyung, “But were you guys, if you don’t mind my asking. Were you guys like an item?”

“An item?” says Jimin, his heart skipping a beat.

Taehyung chuckles, “Sorry, it’s none of my business,” he says, quickly opening the door, “I’ll see you at work.”

“Good night,” replies Jimin. Taehyung smiles and closes the door behind him, and Jimin exhales.

“Fuck,” he mutters, “Just what I need.”

***

After a few days of chasing dead leads on the case, Jimin was not looking forward to being at work. Since his last encounter with Jungkook last week, he stayed clear of him to get his emotions in check. And on top of it, he had to worry about Taehyung possible knowing he is gay and potentially had a relationship with Jungkook. He never confronted Dahyun, what would be the point? She would just blame it on the alcohol, it was his fault for not being careful three years ago. Office romance was something he regretted now, especially now that his lover turned out to be a liar and a criminal. And he might still be in love with him? A thought he wanted to burry and never think about again.

He sighs. He needed a break. He gets up and makes his way to the break room to grab a drink. He walks over to the vending machine and buys himself a Milkis Strawberry Soda beverage. The breakroom was silent, he could hear voices down the hallway from passersby’s. He opens the can and gulps it down, exhaling loudly. Feeling fresh, lunch was a couple of hours away, and he couldn’t wait for the day to end.

The door opens, and it was Taehyung, after spending the morning avoiding him for the last couple of days, he decided to just be calm and not freak out. Jimin watched him walk over to the water cooler and pours himself water. He gulps it down and tosses the plastic cup in the trash.

“Kind of slow today huh?” he says.

“Yeah, it sucks because the auction is in a few days, and we still haven’t been able to connect the Takashi and the Jeon,” replies Jimin.

“We’ll find something,” he says, with confidence. Jimin smiles, not sure he believed him. Taehyung reminded him of Jungkook, he was always confident in the things he says, and most of all he was quiet. Spoke only when he had something to say. Not very expressive, that was one thing that was different. Taehyung had a regular poker face, and most of the time remained blank but Jungkook, his eyes most of the time gave him away. Jimin sighs. Why ignored all those signs back then was a mystery to him? But it didn’t help that Jungkook despite being expressive was good at charming his way out of a situation. He could talk his way out of anything.

“Well, I’ll see you,” says Taehyung, walking out of the break room. Jimin smiles, nodding his head, as he gulps down his drink.

***

On Wednesday, they got lucky, they caught a break. Thanks to his stakeout, Detective Jaejoong was able to witness the unloading of cargos from the Kato Takashi’s boat, in the middle of the night, last night. He was at the port all day Tuesday, and though nothing was unusual about the unloading of cargo, he decided to stay until midnight and noticed men in all black clothing, similar to the style of the men that work for the Jeons, not fisherman or workers, started unloading twenty cargos into a van. He followed the van to a warehouse, down on the other side of the city. He was a very diligent detective that was for sure, despite his cockiness and whatever issue he has against Jimin. Aside from the cargos, Jimin was able to find out the Jeons were also guest at the Auction, and the Auction was a private event, only those with an invitation were allowed inside.

Jimin sighs, staring at the bulletin board that was plastered with photos of suspects, and that they were sure the delivery was a sure thing. They could plan a raid and move with the case, kill two fish with one stone.

The Chief sighed, “I want Taehyung and Jaejoong to take a drive out to the warehouse, and keep an eye on it, and map it out, but do not alert them alright.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“And Jimin and Dahyun, I want you guys to find a way to get passes into that event, without letting them know you are cops.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“I think I know how; we can get one,” says Dahyun.

“Alright,” says Chief Yoongi, “Good work you guys.”

 

Jimin rode shotgun since Dahyun was the one who knew where they are going. He went through the files on his laptop, just to see if he missed anything. Jimin stares at the picture of Jungkook on the suspect listing, still unable to comprehend it.

“You’ve been avoiding me these past few days,” says Dahyun. Jimin glances at her.

“Why do you think I was avoiding you?”

She shrugs her shoulders, “I don’t know, you haven’t been wanting to go out for a while now,” she says, “And you barely spoke to me today.”

“Well being a team leader is getting to be a pain in the butt,” he says, changing the subject.

She chuckles, quickly glancing at him, before turning back to the front.

“You would tell me if something was the matter, right?” she says, dimly.

“Yeah, sure,” he says, not sure if Dahyun picked up on the lie, his voice gets high when he lies, “But nothing is the matter, just this case. I just want to focus on it.”

“Do you really think Jungkook is involved with all these?”

“Well, he is working for his father,” replies Jimin, “Maybe we’ll finally catch him red-handed.”

“And then what?”

“What do you mean?”

“We catch him but that doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll catch his father or that he’ll give his father up.”

Jimin shrugs, “Let’s not think about that. One step at a time, now it’s all about the evidence we gather.”

“Yeah.”

They pulled into the driveway of a three-story western mansion-style home with a garage and gate. There was one black car with tinted windows parked in the garage, besides a pink Porsche. They were in the wealthy part of town. Jimin glances at her. Dahyun grew up on this side of town, her family owned many banks.

“Where are we?”

“Well,” she says, “This house belongs to a friend of my mom if anyone is able to get an invitation is her. She owes me a favor.”

“What kind of favor?”

Dahyun chuckles, “The kind I am going to collect today.”

“Must be nice to have wealthy connections,” he teases.

“Not always,” she replies laughing, “The wealthy never do things without expecting something back in return.”

Jimin followed her inside as the gate opened. The house was really something, it made him feel lacking and in the wrong profession. They approached the building but, on their way, there, they noticed two girls standing outside. Jimin didn’t recognize the red-haired one but he recognized the black-haired one with the red lipstick. She was the girl that came out of Jungkook’s office, a couple of days ago.

“Hey Tiffany, Hwasa” greeted Dahyun, as they stop in front of them.

“Hey,” says the red-haired girl, Jimin assumes she was Tiffany, “Dahyun, what’re you doing here?” Jimin’s glances over at the black haired girl who was watching him, eyes narrowed, silent.

“Is your mom home?”

“Yes,” she replies, “Is something wrong?”

“No,” replies Dahyun, chuckling, “Just needed to speak to her.”

“She is inside,” replies Tiffany.

“Thanks,” says.

“Who is this?” asks Tiffany, turning to Jimin.

“Hi, I’m Park Jimin,” he greets them.

“Hello,” she says, with a flirtatious grin, “Are you like a Detective as well?” Jimin chuckles,

The black haired girl watching him. He felt weird. It was as if she was studying him. Could she be working with Jungkook?

“No,” he replies, “Just a friend.”

“I’m not here on official business,” lies Dahyun, giving him a questioning look.

“See ya,” says Tiffany. She turns to Jimin, tucking a red strand behind her ear and smiling, “Well, it’s nice to meet you.”

“See ya Hwasa,” added Dahyun. The black haired girl scoffs, uncrossing her arms and walking away, while Tiffany bids them another goodbye, and walks away to join her friend.

“What’s her problem?” asks Jimin.

“She has always been stuck up,” replies Dahyun, “Her dad is the prime minister and she thinks she is all that.”

“Wait?” says Jimin, “That’s why she looked familiar. I’ve seen her on TV.”

“Yeah, probably,” says Dahyun, “Wait, why’d lie about being a detective?”

“Because I first bumped into her when I went to see Jungkook at the club,” he replies.

“Really?” asks Dahyun, “Hmm? That’s not strange, High-So people tend to know one another.”

“Hmm?” says Jimin, “Yeah.” As Dahyun rings the doorbell, he watches the two girls drive away.

Strange coincidences huh? Where was she three years ago if she’s friends with Jungkook? How close are they? small world.

Chapter Text

Jimin glances around the house as the woman and Dahyun continued with their small talks. He stares at the small cup of tea placed on the small round table. It smelled great. It reminded him of the tea his mother always drinks but for some reason had a rich status distinction to it. It must the eloquent Chinese silver kettle and fancy cups with flowery designs, that made a simple green tea taste rich.

“I didn’t think you were interested in auctions?” asks the woman. She was beautiful and always had a smile at her. Nothing like the wealthy woman they show on the dramas- stoic and emotionless.

“Well,” says Dahyun, “Everyone has a habit, and going to auction and seeing beautiful artifacts is one of my mines. Will be able to get me and my colleagues an invitation. It would mean a lot to me.”

“This event is private,” she replies, taking a long sip of her tea. She smiles and glances up at Dahyun, then Jimin. He smiles back.

“Are these friends all detectives?” she asks.

“Would that be a problem?”

“No,” says the woman, “You did me a favor when my daughter had problems, and I will return that favor.”

“Thank you, Ma’am,” she says.

“You don’t need a pass,” she says, “I’ll get you on the list, how many are coming with you?”

“Just five including myself,” she replies.

“Alright, is that all your business?”

“Yes Ma’am,” says Dahyun, “Thank you so much.”

“Just returning the favor,” she says, dimly.

 

The woman walked them to the door, and once they were outsides, they thanked her again for her assistance. The woman tells Dahyun to say hi to her parents for her and they bid her goodbye.

They head towards the car, and Jimin does a once over again at the house, still impressed at how people can afford such luxuries. He grew up on the other part of town, not poor or rich. He didn’t lack anything he wanted but he never wanted anything out of reach either.

***

As always, it was late when the shift was over. At times he found himself not noticing when the day ended or when he started. The job of a detective consisted getting accustomed to not having regular, 8 to 10 job, but each time they got somewhere with a case, a part of him can’t help but feel proud to be a part of it.

He smiles and waves at Chief Yoongi, as he walks past his office and tries to catch up with his friends, Dahyun and Taehyung. They had asked him out for drinks, but he turned them down but after thinking about it, he changed his mind.

They decided to go to a regular bar, not in the mood to hear thumping music and vibrating walls. Jimin was glad because this was one of the ways to fight the temptation of confronting Jungkook about the hug and dig himself a bigger hole. They sat in awkward silence since Dahyun had the big idea of telling everyone not to talk about work. Unsettled eyes glanced unceremoniously around, shifting in their seats, taking long sips of their beer.

“Let’s talk relationship,” says Dahyun, breaking the icy silence, “How come we’re all single?”

Taehyung and Jimin exchange glances laughing at the randomness, “Come on. We’re young, beautiful and handsome, and yet here we are single as fuck.”

“Maybe it’s because of that potty mouth of yours,” teases Taehyung, “No man wants to date a woman who can karate chop him.”

She scoffs, “A man should only be lucky to have a girl like me. It takes the stress of having to worry about me off.”

“I thought you said men are overrated,” teases Jimin.

“No that was you,” replies Dahyun.

“Since when?”

“Since Jungkoo- “she exclaims but catches herself as her voice trails off, picking up her beer and downing it. Jimin catches Taehyung’s gaze. Taehyung smiled, holding his gaze for a few seconds before smiling.

“Sorry,” mumbles Dahyun.

“It’s fine,” says Jimin, “You already told him when you were drunk anyway.”

Dahyun stares at him, her eyes wide, and mouth open to protest or defend herself but remains silent, “I just needed someone to talk to. You stopped hanging out with me and- “

“It’s fine,” says Jimin, exhaling and turning to Taehyung, who remained quiet, “Yes, Jungkook and I were involved in the past. Will that is a problem?”

Taehyung’s grin curls into a smirk, stroking the beer bottle, “I don’t have a problem with it,” he says finally, “We each have our own history and past.” Jimin sighs relieved.

“And about me being gay?”

“I don’t concern myself with labels,” he replies.

“See that is why I told him,” says Dahyun, “He is kind and open minded- “

“But I still would appreciate if you don’t go around telling people my personal business,” he cuts her off, as she looks down at her bottle.

“If you worried about your secret,” says Taehyung, “I won’t tell anyone.”

Jimin sighs. He has a hard time taking people’s words or trusting people in general. And as much as he wanted to believe Taehyung, he was not going to get his hopes up. He silently nods his head.

“Okay,” says Dahyun, “Does this mean you are not going to avoid us anymore?”

Jimin chuckles, “I wasn’t avoiding anyone.”

“Yeah you were,” adds Taehyung, “You were totally avoiding us.”

“No,” Jimin protested, “I-I just didn’t know how to act and besides I was just figuring things out.”

They burst out laughing. Jimin glances at the people sitting with him. For the longest time, after what happened with the ambush and Jungkook’s presumed death, he cut himself from people. He just couldn’t trust anyone, and how he could after all the promises Jungkook made that turned out to be lies?

How does someone come back from that? he often wondered. He needed a reality check, and this was one of them. His friends and coworkers. Jungkook and he were standing on opposite sides of the spectrum. One way or another, Jungkook was guilty of the death of the detectives. It doesn’t matter it was his father who ordered the whole thing, he knew about it and chose to do nothing. He was the enemy. He was a traitor. An imposter. The Jungkook he fell in love with was nothing but a façade. It’s time he started using his head instead of his emotions. He took vows to protect and serve the people.

His sister died fighting against people like Jungkook and his family. She has always been a justice warrior, and a part of him made him feel ashamed that his heart ached for the enemy.

***

On the walk up to his apartment, Jimin continued his internal deliberation of how it was a good idea for him to move on. Focus on work and nothing else. But that didn’t last long, as he notices Jungkook standing beside his door.

Fuck.

Jimin takes a deep inhale and exhale, taking out his key, and making his way towards the apartment.

“What’re you doing here?” he asks, without looking at him.

“We need to talk,” Jungkook replies. Jimin sucked in another deep breath. His brain told him he could smell Jungkook’s manly scent, an intoxicating mix of black vanilla, pear, and blooming gardenia. It was his Victoria’s Secret Noir Tease, a choice Jimin often teased him about since he hated Axe.

“We have nothing to talk about,” replies Jimin, opening the door, “Leave me alone.” As he was about to close the door, Jungkook placed his foot in the doorway, stopping it. Jimin glares at him,

“What the hell are you doing?”

“I’m not leaving until we talk,” replies Jungkook, his tone serious and demanding.

“In case you haven’t noticed I have a gun,” he says, his voice a little unsteady.

“It’s not like you haven’t shot me before.”

Jimin clenches his teeth. It was late and he was not in the mood to argue with someone. He sighs.

“Fine,” he says, walking away, “You have ten minutes.”

“Fifteen,” says Jungkook walking inside and closing the door.

Jimin crosses his arms, glaring at him, “I’m not in the mood and this is not a negotiation.” Jungkook arched his eyebrows, a smile playing on his lips, “No beer?”

Jimin scoffs, forcing himself to relax, he let his own lips curl into a grin, and stares at him, “What do you want?”

Jungkook let’s out a sigh, “I just want to apologize.”

Jimin raises an eyebrow, “apologize?”

“Yes, what I did was not fair, hugging you like that,” he says, locking eyes with him. Jimin unfolds his arms,

“Fine, you are forgiven. Everything is right in the world,” Jimin replies sarcastically, “Just leave me the fuck alone.”

“If that is what you want- “

“None of this is what I want!” snapped Jimin, anger, “When I shot you, I have never regretted anything more in my life. At that time, all could see were the memories of us and how everything you promised was lies. I never meant to shoot you and I thought that was the worst pain I could’ve felt but I was wrong. You are being here like nothing happened. Like we didn’t have a past. So, don’t tell me this is what I want.”

“I’m sorry.”

Jimin scoffs, brushing his hair back, “You’re sorry? Is that all you can say?” he retorted through clenched teeth, walking straight up to him as his eyes widened, gaze locked. “I don’t care anymore but you are right we need to talk, so we can put whatever this is behind us. I just want to know one thing?”

“What?”

“What was I to you?”

“What?”

Jimin sniff, he has had enough. “I mean was I just some guy who felt like you needed to advantage of, or did I mean something to you.”

“Of course, you meant something to me. I mean you still mean everything to me,” he replies, breathing deeply, “I know what I did made no sense which I am why never blamed you for shooting me. You were hurt, and I was the cause of it. I wanted to tell you everything, but I couldn’t.”

“Why?”

Jungkook scoffs, biting his lower lip, a habit of concealment, “Doesn’t it matter now.”

“Yes, it does! I need to know why? So, I can finally move on with my life. You killed the man that killed my sister for me to have closure, but I am not going to. Not until you tell me why you betrayed me?”

Jungkook walks past him, inhaling deeply, “To protect you.” Jimin’s scoffs. Words left him. Jungkook turned to face him again, as Jimin stares at him, confused.

“What do you mean to protect me?”

“I fucked up,” he continues, “I fucked up, and my selfishness put you in danger and at the end, I had to choose, and I would rather die than let anything happen to you.”

“What’re you talking about?”

“Look, just forget about it,” says Jungkook, walking past him, heading towards the door, but Jimin grabbed his wrist stopping him and blocking his way.

“No, I need to know,” he pleaded, “Please, if you really loved me, then tell me the truth.” Jungkook’s gaze burned into his eyes, and Jimin’s heart fell silent. He exhales.

“I approached my father, telling him I didn’t want to live a double life anymore. I told him how much it was hurting me, and that I was going to turn myself in but…” he says, his voice trailing off, “But…it seemed like he had people following me from the start just in case I had a change of heart. He knew about you, everything about you including our relationship. He threatened you and your family.”

“Did you have anything to do with the ambush?” Jimin’s voice cracked, heart, tightening in his chest.

“By the time I learned about the ambush it was too late,” he replied, “There was nothing I could do to stop it. I had to come to find you, well the rest you know.”

Jimin stared at him speechlessly, not sure what to believe but as Jungkook eyes desperately searched his…waiting for him to say something, Jimin knew he was not lying.

“So why didn’t you come back?”

“My father’s man found me before the cops, and I was in the hospital for nearly a year,” he replies, “Then I saw the news, and then everything happened. My father told me if I went back to the force, I would surely become a scapegoat. He has a powerful connection. Now that my cover was over, I knew there would be no point in coming back and if my father was going to let them make me a scapegoat, then you would be dragged into it.”

A wry chuckle fell from Jimin, “And after everything your father did, why are you working with him now?”

Jungkook smiled, though his smile didn’t reach his eyes. Jimin’s stomach twisted at how sad it was. How tormented.

“That doesn’t matter,” he says, “I have come to terms with who I am. Being with you has given the chance to dream of a different life but I know now that it was all just a dream. A dream I will always cherish because, despite the lies, you were my only truth and my safety net.”

Jimin’s mind went blank. He had hoped Jungkook would tell him he did what he did out of selfishness. Or duty to his father. But now, he was speechless. He almost killed the man his heart pinned for. Jimin approached him, cupping his face, and staring into his eyes that lingered with tears. He studied him, their bodies so close, so connected he could feel his breath on his skin. He wanted to hate him. He wanted Jungkook to tell him anything that would him hate him, but he couldn’t. His heart slammed into his throat, as Jungkook melted underneath his touch.

“I’m sorry,” Jimin whispered. Jungkook gasped slightly, eyes widen, shocked, “I’m sorry I added to the pain. I’m sorry for shooting you when you were just trying to protect me. But it’s not too late to make things right.”

Jungkook sniffs, still holding back the will to breakdown, “What do you mean?”

“Work with me, and we can get rid of your father,” he says, his fingers gently caressing his face, “You’ll be free of him, isn’t that what you want?”

Jungkook chuckles softly, stepping back, “Things can never go back to the way they were. In prison or outside my father will always have control over my life. I will handle my father.”

“What’re you talking about?”

“You mean so much to me, but you and I can’t go back to the way things were,” Jungkook says, taking Jimin by surprise as he stares at him shocked. He hadn’t planned this. Not this. Why had he said that?

“Why not?” asks Jimin, “You hate your father as much we do, so why can’t you work with me.”

“Because my entire life was a lie and I’m not about to go back there,” he says, calmly, and serious, “As for my father, I have his trust and love. I will deal with him myself. Just promise me, you won’t get caught up.”

“I am a police officer, what do you want me to do?” replies Jimin, dumbfounded, confused and angry. Why was Jungkook still choosing his father if he still loved him? “Things can’t go back to the way were or you don’t want them to?”

Jungkook exhales, “Both,” he replied harshly, “Now that you know the truth. We both have nothing else to say to each other.” Jimin nostrils flared, in disbelief. After hearing his confession, he thought things would work themselves out but Jungkook has no plans of leaving his family. He’d been wrong. About everything. Jungkook told him the truth as he demanded but his mind wondered with thoughts of whether Jungkook was still in love with him. No, he was still hiding something?

Chapter Text

The air was filled with the scent of the bitterness of brewed coffee beans as it pours into the black and white mug. Jimin’s hand clenched the handle of the coffee mug, lost in thoughts. He was not sure when he came to the office, all he knew that he could not sleep. His thoughts of Jungkook tormented him. Something was amiss and he vowed to figure it out, even if it means forcing it out of him. He had to. He owes it to him to try and save him from his father, especially after learning the truth. Whatever Jungkook is planning on doing, Jimin felt it down deep that was something dangerous. Something reckless. Something that he would regret, no doubt about it.

“Whoa!” an exclamation came from Taehyung who entered the breakroom. Jimin startled, dropped the overfilled coffee mug,

“Shit,” he cried out as the small droplets touched his hand. He quickly reaches for the rug and places it on the spilled but winces at the pain and let’s go it.

Taehyung grabs his hand, “Are you okay?” eyes wide filled with concern, Jimin flinches at the sudden feel of another hand. Jimin’s watches his hand, surprised to see him at work, as Taehyung stares at him, waiting for an answer. “Are you okay?” he repeated.

Jimin pulls his hand away, staring at his fingers that were in pain from the heat that he just touched without thought,

“I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah…” says Jimin, clearing his throat, “Just tired.”

It got quiet, as they both stared at each other. It was weird to see such displayed of emotions of Taehyung’s face, gentle and worrisome. Feeling weird, Jimin faked a smile, breaking the gaze.

“What’re you doing here? Another overtime?” he asks, changing the subject.

“Yeah, with the plans of the raid, we’re all doing overtime, Chief wants everything to go perfect this upcoming weekend.”

“Don’t we all?” says Jimin, glancing at the rug covering the spilled coffee, and then to his slightly burn finger.

“Is everything alright?”

“After all this time, you think we might finally have something to bring Jeon Tae Chon in for?”

Taehyung smiles, “I doubt the warehouse has any connection to him, and we’re not sure what exactly was transported there,” he replies.

“Always realistic huh?” teases Jimin.

“Sometimes,” he says, with a grin.

“Hey Jimin- “

“Hey guys briefing,” Dahyun cuts him off.

“Coming,” replies Taehyung.

“Were you going to say something?” asks Jimin, staring at him.

Taehyung shakes his head no and smiles, “Nevermind,” he says.

“I’ll see you guys there,” says Jimin, “Let me clear this up.”

“Hurry up,” exclaims.

“Yes ma’am,” he teases, as she glares at him. He watches them, as they walk out of the break room.

Shit. Get a hold of yourself! He chastised.

He violently shakes his head to rid himself of lingering thoughts of regret and pain. He was at work and needed to focus.

***

The briefing was not at all a briefing, it was planning for Saturday. It was not just their team there but all the team that is working on the case. The Jeon was listed to be attending the Private event only, instead of the open one on Friday. Despite all that, the Head Chief urged everyone to stay sharp, and after the meeting was over. The Chief Detective Yoongi, took over, going over the plan, and assigning what team is doing what. After the Chief was done, Jimin was surprised he was not assigned to oversee the auction, which is he was positive Jungkook was going to be there. He had no doubt about.  Dahyun’s friend was only able to add three plus people under Dahyun’s name since the past was under her name. Only four detectives can attend the auction as guests.  Jimin raises his hand.

“Yes?” says Yoongi.

“Sir, I believe I will be a better asset at the auction,” he says, locking gaze with him. Yoongi inhales, eyes darting around.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes sir,” he replies, “I can be a better distraction, he is my former partner after all.”

Yoongi gets silent for a second, as Jimin gives him an assuring smile.

“Alright, Lee, you take over his spot in the raid, and Jimin, you take his. I need you to keep an eye on him at all times.”

“Yes, sir.”

“This is one of the most important breaks we have gotten since we started this case,” he says, “Let’s not make it go to waste.”

“Yes Sir!” they all roared.

***

After a long day of being stuck at the office, Jimin was glad they were going to finish the day off with going shopping for the attire for the Auction. As Dahyun emphasized that despite Jungkook knowing they were detectives, no one else did so playing the role of the guest was important especially with the group of important people going there Fitting in with the high-class part of society meant spending money on the dress code. It baffled Jimin, the closet he got to attending such “events” was when he was young, and his parents got nominated as a representative for a successful small business owner for the restaurant. That was ages ago.

He glances at Taehyung, as they waited for Dahyun since she seemed more excited about the whole thing than they did. Her family owned many shopping malls and clothing departments, it was easy to try some clothing in private.  They exchange smiles as Dahyun comes out from the fitting room, for the tenth time now. Jimin lost count. This time she wore, a white Dora Bell Sleeve mini dress- it outlined her hourglass body perfectly, and it matched the dressed code, black and white. Just like any other event, he wasn’t surprised they didn’t choose different colors.

“What do you guys think?”

“Beautiful,” says Taehyung.

“I think you’re enjoying dressing up too much,” teases Jimin, “This is work.”

“Who says we can’t have fun while working,” replies Dahyun, “Don’t be a bore, tell me?”

“It’s sophisticated and beautiful, like you,” he says, “Can we try our clothes now? it’s nearly ten o’clock.”

She giggles, twirling in the dress, “Thank you.” She heads back inside the fitting room to change.

“You first,” he says, turning to Taehyung.

“Nah, you go first,” he says, quietly, “I hate wearing ties.”

“I hate it too,” says Jimin, getting as Dahyun walks out with the dress, and hands it to the woman that was standing like a robot for the past hour.

 

Taehyung and he decided to get something rather simple, black pants and blazer, white collar long sleeve shirt and black dressing shoes. Clothes they had but the ties, not much, Jimin decided to go with a red silk tie and Taehyung a black bow tie. He really hated ties.

 

After the cashier ringed them up, they headed towards the car they came with. The Chief gave them permission to go home after they were done.

“Do you guys want to hang out?” asks Dahyun.

“Hang out?” says Jimin.

“Yes, let’s go clubbing,” she says, energetic. Jimin scoffs, as Taehyung and he changes glances.

“You do realize we have work in the morning, right?” says Taehyung.

“It’s only ten o’clock, just for an hour or thirty minutes,” she pleads, “It’s been so long since we had an early out, let's make something of it.”

Jimin gazes at her, wondering how she can be so full of light and excitement?  He loved going dancing with Jungkook and the others three years ago but after everything that happened, Jimin lost the will to be that happy about anything. When Jungkook and he got together, he saw the world with different light- beautiful and colorful but that died the day, he shot him.

“I’ll go if Jimin goes,” says Taehyung, giving in. Jimin glares at him, but he shrugs his shoulders laughing.

“Jimin please!” pleads Dahyun.

“Fine,” he says, “Where to.”

“Well, why don’t we go to Output?” she says, “Nothing will be more in your face for Jungkook than seeing us have fun.” Jimin inhales softly, his ears perking up at the mention of Jungkook.

“Um…” says Taehyung, “I don’t think that’s- “

“It’s fine,” says Jimin, “She’s right.”  He wanted to see Jungkook. After everything that was said between them yesterday. He needed to speak to him.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah.”

 

The club, as usual, was full of life, they made their way towards the bar. They were there to have fun, so they left their gun in the glove box of the car, along with their badges. They made their way towards the bar. Jimin tried not to make any eye contact with the security, for once he was not here to cause trouble.

The bar was packed, and there was no place to sit, so they got their drinks and lingered at the end.

“It’s Thursday, don’t people have better things to do,” says Taehyung, taking a sip of his beer. Jimin and Dahyun laugh, drinking their drinks as well. It was nice to be out, without worrying about too much. Jimin liked it. It brought good memories back. Back when Dahyun, Jungkook and he went clubbing to an actual gay bar in Seoul, after solving the case of the illegal playroom, they had been given a break. It was his first gay bar, and Jungkook introduced him, and he saw a different side to Jungkook, that made him fall in love even more.

“Earth to Jimin?” calls Taehyung as he clinks his beer against his. Jimin smiles, pulled back into reality. The reality that did not involve Jungkook. He sighs.

 

After a beer and half, Jimin was getting tired of standing around, so were his friends, as they glance at each other. He still was not able to spot Jungkook, which was not surprising, since he was working. Which means he was probably in the office or something. Eyes dart around and notice a handsome rough-looking man standing by the end of the bar, opposite from them watching him. Jimin’s slightly turns to make sure the man was not looking at him and turns back to catch his gaze. The man smiles. Not sure how to react, since Output was not a gay club, he forces a smile, averting his gaze to anything and everything but the man eyeing him, obviously undressing him with his eyes.

“Let’s go dance,” says Taehyung, breaking the awkwardness.

“Huh? Both Jimin and Dahyun exclaimed.

“We came here, we must as well have fun,” he says, “Finish your beers and let’s go.”

 

Once they were on the dance floor, they huddle in a circle, stiffness and awkwardness lingered in the atmosphere, but the beer was definitely taking effect, as time went by but just enough to get them to relax not drunk. The music played over the dance floor, infusing them and helping him to relax, as he focuses on the music and nothing else. Sweaty bodies ground on each other, shoulder to shoulder. They were all grins, the feeling of youth and togetherness suspended in time. Worries about what crime is being committed washed away. Thoughts of tomorrow gone. As they continued dancing, Jimin notices Taehyung who was not dancing. He smiles, meeting his gaze, as Taehyung chuckles, averting his gaze to Dahyun.

Weird. Was he watching me?

“Are you okay!” asks Jimin, leaning towards him, the music pounding his ears

“I’m fine!” he answers, leaning back, his hair slightly brushing against Jimin

“Oh! You’re not dancing!”

“Just surprised is all!”

“Why?”

“I never knew you liked dancing! You should go clubbing often!” Jimin chuckles, dumbfounded.

“Yeah, are going to pay my rent and bills,” he jokes, “Because I can go clubbing all the time if it means I don’t have to work.”

“I’m not made out of money,” he replies.

They laugh out loud. It has been a while since he had so much fun. For once he loved Dahyun’s random invitations.

As they continued dancing, Jimin’s eyes glance over and see Jungkook. He gasps. Coming to a halt as his eyes widen. A pang of slight guilt hitting him hard in the gut. And immediately, he wished like hell he was anywhere except here right now. Jungkook was standing near the VIP section, and he knew he was watching him.

When did he come out of his office? Wonders Jimin. Jungkook’s gaze stabbed through him. It was only yesterday since they saw each other but it feels like years as they both take each other.

The distance was not that much since they were dancing at the edge of the dance floor. Jungkook’s face was visible by the changing lights, his eyes are narrowed to slits. Jimin flinches when he feels a touch on his shoulder, and glances at Taehyung, and then back at Jungkook, whose scowl was deepened. Jimin exhales, as Jungkook turned back, walking back towards the VIP section. Jimin scoffs. He knew that look better than anyone. After all these, he never thought he would see it again. Jungkook was upset-no he was jealous. Was he? Overwhelmed thoughts and emotions washed over Jimin. He has to find out.

“Um, I’ll be right back,” he says, walking away before the others could utter a word, leaving them dumbfounded.

When he approached the security guard, Jimin glared at him, before the man sighed and let him through without questions, which surprised him.

“Jimin!” calls Dahyun.

“Just give me few minutes!” he replies. His friends stood in front of the bodyguards, who were absolutely not going to let them through, “I just need to do something really quick!”

 ***

Remembering his way to the office, Jimin quickly made his way there, not sure why? But his heart raced. He was nervous. He was excited. When he reaches the door, he takes a deep breath and reaches for the doorknob but before he could turn it, and open the door, a voice came from behind him.

“What’re you doing?”

Jimin closes his eyes briefly, urging himself to calm down and bring himself to the present. He turns to face him, meeting his gaze. Jimin paused. A part of him cussed the impulsivity of following Jungkook here when he had no thought of what to say? It was hardly smart to ask if Jungkook was jealous? He would flat out deny it. But what if he doesn’t, then what?

“Jimin?” Jungkook calls, pulling him out of his daze. Jungkook was even more beautiful than he remembers, but now it’s in a deadly way. Dangerous. Just by looking into his eyes, Jimin can tell he was bothered by something. But what? The air thickens, uncomfortably, tensed as the two of them locked in a silent battle, having conversations with their eyes.

“I’ve been meaning to talk to you,” Jimin finally says.

“Things has already been said between us,” he replied, “There is nothing else to say.” Jimin glares at him, loss at the words at the dismissal. As Jungkook was about to open the door, Jimin held on to the doorknob, with Jungkook’s hand placed over his. Jungkook turns to him, his eyes flared up with anger and annoyance. His intense stare made Jimin nervous, trying his utmost to keep that contact. Swallowing his pride, Jimin sighs,

“What was that back there?”

Jungkook stared at him, puzzled now, “What was what?” he replies slowly, taking Jimin in from head to toe in a painfully slow inspection that has him feeling a bit self-conscious. Just ask him, if he was jealous or angry? He urged himself. 

“He’s just a friend,” Jimin replies, watching for his reaction, but Jungkook’s brown large eyes remained cold and intense.

“You came all the way here to tell me that,” he replies with a soft snicker. Jimin grits his teeth, feeling sheepish.

“Wait…What’s with your attitude?”

“I don’t have an attitude,” he replies, “I’ve always been like this.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, what’re you doing here Jimin?”

“Nothing…I just…seeing you standing there and then walking away. I just…wanted to make sure you didn’t get the wrong impression of Taehyung and me. We’re just friends.”

Jungkook raises an eyebrow, his coldness turning into a smirk, “You think I’m jealous?” The way he said it, made Jimin feel stupid for thinking it, but he knew it deep down. Even now, as Jungkook clams up as he always used to when he was denying something.  His heart kicked up a notch, and he became tongue-tied. He followed him. He wanted to know if he was jealous. And now he was speechless. The music thumped from a distant, it was like they were in another world.

Unconsciously, Jimin’s eyes lower to his delicious-looking lips and bite his lower lip. When was the last time I kissed those lips? He wondered. The warmth of Jungkook’s hand on his while he held on tightly to the doorknob, lingered and made his pulse race. He found himself close, close enough to catch his scent.

His lips curved into a half-smile, “Are you?” he replies, gazes locked and unflinching, gauging his reaction, with feelings of longing, lust, and bewilderment clashing inside him. Jungkook remained silent, studying him. Amused and conflicted. His eyes lit up, smoldering. Unable to keep his emotions under wraps, Jimin leaned forward and pressed his lips against Jungkook, unprepared for the wave of electricity, and heat pulsing through his body.

Jungkook’s eyes widen. Shocked. When he felt no response from Jungkook, Jimin pulled back, taking a step back. He watched him with a mixture of loathing and passion. For a moment no one said anything, Jimin chuckles feeling embarrassed.

As he was about to leave, Jungkook grabbed his wrist, and found himself against the door, as a small gasp escaped his mouth. Shocked, he remained speechless as Jungkook’s gaze made his body heat up. His eyes focused on him, without moving, without blinking- desire-glazed. A part of him wanted to run away. This was not why he followed him, but he felt trapped and pinned down by his heated gaze. A part of him wanted Jungkook to kiss. To touch.  Jungkook said nothing. As if reading his mind, he leaned even closer, his smell overflooding Jimin’s senses, Jungkook’s lips brushed against the side of Jimin’s lips, teasingly.

“Jimin,” he whispered in his ear, slowly and prolonging. A burning sensation spread from his belly to his feet, and every inch of his body, causing his face to flush red. Jungkook’s breath steamed against his earlobe and neck, causing his traitorous body to jerk, as a small voice in his head cautioned him to run. His heart fluttered.

Jungkook’s warm lips traced it's way back to his lip, as Jimin’s lips parted involuntarily, eyes closing shut. Hot. Wet. Jungkook’s tongue sweep inside his mouth. They devoured each other as sinful memories of lust and desire melted them and took hold. It was overwhelming, just like the first time.

This kiss revealed a single unshakeable truth-they were meant to be. It was a terrifying truth that shook Jimin to the bone, as he gripped his side, intending to push him away from his trembling body, but instead pulled him even closer.  Jimin deepens the kiss and lets his hands wander over Jungkook’s muscled back.

Jungkook’s hands quickly reached up and started undoing the buttons, as their lips continued tangling with each other. And soon enough, Jimin found his chest exposed, as Jungkook started exploring his collarbone with kisses, slow and gentle. A moan sigh escaped Jimin’s mouth, bringing him back to reality as his cock felt stiff already half hard in pants. He wanted him but not like this. Not While there was so much to fix. So much to understand. Not with secrets lingering between them.

Unable to bear it, Jimin places his hand on the center of his chest and pushes him back, slightly.

“I can’t,” Jimin breathed. They both breathed, heavily, Jungkook took a step back, his gaze never leaving him- puzzled, and taken back, dark eyes pooled with desire, just as Jimin was.

Jimin quickly started buttoning up the four buttons, Jungkook somehow managed to undo, “I got carried away…this…is too much. I can’t do this.”

Jungkook remained silent, as he looks down and swallowed, Jimin shook his head, and run past him, without uttering another word.

Yeah, tonight was a huge fucking mistake. 

Chapter Text

Three Years Ago, …

Chief Min’s office had a glass wall, and everything can be seen from the outside. The office was busy as usual, but this time, chatter filled the atmosphere as all eyes were on the office. Jungkook had missed work for three days, and he was in big trouble it seemed. Jimin, as everyone else watched, curious to why Jungkook would pull such a career ending move. He had no doubt that it had something to do with that phone call he got, three nights ago.

Jimin watched the situation between Chief Min and Jungkook from his desk, he couldn’t see Jungkook’s face, only the Chief and he was not happy at all.

“He’s totally going to get fired,” whispers Ara.

“You don’t know that,” replies Dahyun, “Maybe he has a good reason.”

“Like what?” asks Jae-hyun, “Do you know anything Jimin?”

Jimin glances at his coworkers who stared at him, waiting for an explanation but he shrugs his shoulders,

“I’m in the dark as much as you guys,” he says, not sure what they expected him to say. He was worried, that he might be fired but his thoughts were occupied with other things- like where they stand now that shared a kiss? Were they dating? Or was it just the heat of the moment thing?

The door opens, and everyone scramble to get back to whatever it was they were supposed to do. Jimin pretended to rifle through the papers in the folder, as his partner came and sat in the chair beside him.

“Fuck,” murmurs Jungkook. Jimin glances at him, not sure what to say, as Jungkook gazes at the screen in front of him.

“Hey,” calls Jae-hyun, rolling his chair to their desk, “So mind telling us what’s going on?”

“What?” says Jungkook.

“Did you get fired?”

“No.”

Jimin sighs, relieved, silently, listening to their conversation. He could tell by his voice that something was wrong, but he couldn’t put his hand on it.

“So, what happened?” continues Jae-hyun.

“Can you stop pestering me?” replies Jungkook.

“Fine, whatever don’t tell us,” retorts Jae-hyun, rolling back to his desk. Jimin stares at Jungkook, who catches his gaze. They stare at each other for what felt like an eternity, Jungkook sighs, averting his gaze back to the computer. Jimin turned back, irritated as he clenches his jaw. What’s his problem? He wondered.

****

 Jimin snickered and cursed underneath his breath as he takes off his clothes getting ready to take a shower. Jungkook offered no explanation, nor did he even talk to him, despite trying, all he got was shoulder shrugs and avoidance. Nothing special happened at work aside from looking through all files and trying to find the connection between Octagon Club and hits on the other clubs, but not much was required of them on the field since they were rookies.

He turns on the shower, shaking away the thoughts, and worry and suspicions. He groans as he steps into the tub, flinching as his toe touches the cold surface before the water could warm it up. The lukewarm water trickles down his back, as his eyes close. His mind in shreds; he could not stop thinking about Jungkook, on the night he received that phone call. Who called him? he wondered. Maybe it was his family, but he doesn’t talk to his family. And if it was, why would he look like he received a phone call from a ghost? Jimin roughly massages the conditioner in his hair, as if wanting to rid his thoughts out physically. His gut tightens, something was wrong. He could feel it, but what?

 

After showering, Jimin headed to the kitchen to make something to eat but his stomach and mind were in shambles. A part of wanted to scream and shout. Tell Jungkook to fuck off but a part of was deeply worried. He knows he could call him and pester him but if Jungkook didn’t want to talk to him at work, he knows he wouldn’t be able to get anything out of him, through the phone. Not to mention, what right did he have to question his personal life. They only kissed once. A kiss was not a love confession. Am I in love? He wonders.

“Damn it!” he exclaims as he pours water into a pot, placing the pot on top of the stove. He takes out a pack of ramen noodle and opens it.

After putting the powder and flake into the water, he turns on the stove, staring at the fire. He crosses his arms over his chest, waiting for the soup to boil, so he can cook the noodle. His blood pressure kicking up at every thought of Jungkook. The Kiss. The strange phone calls. Jungkook not getting fired. Jungkook purposely ignoring him, throughout the whole day despite being partners. Him leaving work without even saying goodbye. It made Jimin feel like shit, surely a partner had a right to know what his partner is up to? Right?

Twenty minutes later, he waited for his noodle to cook as he stares at his phone. No missed call. No new message. Nothing. He sighs frustrated as he slams the phone on the counter. The doorbell rings, startling him.

“Damn, whose here now,” he mumbles, as he makes his way towards the door.

“Who is it?” he asks, as he reaches for the doorknob.

“It’s me,” he hears Jungkook’s voice, and freezes before his brain could process, his body had a mind of its own, as he quickly opens the door, to see Jungkook standing in front him. He was still dressed in the same clothes he had on in the morning, and his hair was disheveled.

“Jungkook?” Jimin says, astonished, “Why are you here?” Jungkook stares at him, and without uttering a word.  Jimin holds his silence, letting his chest inflate and deflate in deep, thoughtful breaths as he gazes at him. Is he drunk?

Before Jimin could utter another word, Jungkook took a step forward and cupped his face, leaned forward and kissed him, hard. Nearly knocking the oxygen out of his lungs. He tasted of beer and cigarettes. The kiss was sloppy as Jungkook pressed his tongue further into his mouth, pushing him inside as he closed the door with his foot.

Jimin broke the kiss, gasping for air, despite his body and heart aching for more, “what’re you doing?” Jungkook exhales loudly, “I don’t want to talk,” he says, pulling Jimin closer to him by his waist. His strength was shocking to Jimin, who hadn’t had time to react before Jungkook pushes his tongue deep into his mouth like before while trying to unbutton his shirt.

“Jungkook,” Jimin calls, between the kisses concerned as he continued to fight back the urge to give in into his body, but something was wrong, and as much as he wanted him. This was not how he wanted to remember their first night together. Not a drunkard moment. And Jungkook was drunk. Plain and simple.

“Jungkook! Stop!” he says, pushing him back hard this time, frustrated and angry. Jungkook stared at him, breathing heavily and ruggedly, a shot of betrayal on his face but Jimin didn’t care. He had enough.

“What the hell is the matter with you?”

Jungkook stood in silent, like a wounded animal, hurt, as the tension between them skyrocketed. The sound of the smoke alarm broke their gaze. Jimin gasps remembering he had a pot on the stove, he quickly rushed to the kitchen, to find the noodle burnt. He turns off the stove, cussing.

“Shit,” he hears Jungkook say. Jimin turns to him, not sure what to say or how to react. He was angry but a part of him knew injecting anger would only make things worse.

“I’m sorry,” Jungkook says, in a mere whisper, “I should go.”

Jimin took a deep breath, fighting the urge to smack him on the head, he exhales suppressing his anger. His eyes soften, as they dart between the burnt food and Jungkook, “Don’t go.”

“I should’ve come here, “replies Jungkook.

“But you did,” replies Jimin, taking a step towards him. He takes his hand, gently caressing it, “I know something is wrong but if you don’t want to talk now than it’s okay.” He gazed into his eyes, “But anytime you want to tell me then I will listen.”

He wrapped an arm around him and pulled him close, gently rubbing his back. Despite the heaviness in Jimin’s stomach, it fluttered at the feeling of Jungkook’s body pressed against his, as Jungkook wrapped his arm around him, sinking deep into the warmth of Jimin’s body.

 ***

Jimin poked his head into the bathroom, “Do you need anything?” he asked. It was silent. He opens the door, glancing at Jungkook who sat in the tub, leaning back eyes closed, sinking a little farther into the water. Did he fall asleep? Worried, Jimin made his way towards the tub, kneeling, as Jungkook’s eyes opened. Jimin chuckles softly, as Jungkook stares at him, quiet. He managed to convince him to stay, and while he made something to eat, Jungkook decided to wash up. Jimin blushed, as he checked him out- his muscular chest glistens by the water, and his shoulder broad and glossy. Jungkook sat up, and as the water moved, he caught a glimpse of cock against his thigh before the water calmed down, and the Jimin stood up, his cheeks turn bright pink, and a little smirk creeps up at the corners of his mouth. He was naked. Completely naked. The thought spread warmth through his fluttery stomach.

“Well…if you don’t need anything, I’ll see you outside,” he says, quickly.

“Jimin.”

Jimin inhales, turning around, “Yeah?”

“Help me wash my back.”

Jimin took a calming breath, “Huh?”

“Why? shy?”

Jimin shook his head, chuckling nervously, as he takes a look at his body once more- the arousal was too much for him to handle but takes another deep breath, meeting his gaze. Jungkook smiled at him, amused, that his teasing seemed to be working.

“Please,” he says, holding out a small cloth.

 Jimin made his way towards him, he takes the cloth and sits on the edge of the tub, as Jungkook moves in the center, to allow Jimin to wash his back. Jimin gulps, as he dunks the cloth in the water. His hand trembled as he gently touched his back. It tingled. His back was smooth and muscular.

 

In total silence, Jimin continued to gently wash him, his senses heighten at every level, the scent of his body wash on Jungkook, made his heart skip a beat.

“I’m sorry,” Jungkook said, breaking the silence, “About this morning, about attacking you like that earlier.”

“It’s okay.”

“No…no it’s wasn’t okay for me to behave so aggressive and rude,” he says, “It’s just my father has a way of getting under my skin.”

Jimin’s hand comes to a halt, “Your father?”

Jungkook quiets down.

“Leaving for the states, away from him was the best thing that ever happened to me. Not living a lie, harboring secrets,” he speaks again, “Coming back home was the worst mistake I made.”

“What made you come back?” he asks, continuing washing, he felt Jungkook inhale deeply and exhale.

“Family,” he replies, “Anyway, the phone call was from my mother.  She learned I was back in Busan and wanted to meet up with me. I did and I got into it with my father, hence why I wasn’t at work for the past three days. I needed to clear my head.”

He clears his throat, glancing back, “I’m sorry for the way I behaved. Making you leave like that, was unfair. This was supposed to be the easy part. My life as a detective was supposed to be the easy part. While studying in the States, I read about a Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung, about the psyche and what not. And something always resented with me. He said that a person is kind of a mask, designed on the one hand to make a definite impression upon others, and on the other to conceal the true nature of the individual. The things we think we know about people are always lying. My whole life has been a calculated truth, since the day I was born.”

“What do you mean?”

Jungkook turns back, staring at the water, silently. Jimin watches him, anticipating an explanation. What was Jungkook trying to tell him, that everything they know about his lies? But what exactly was a lie? Jungkook chuckles, touching the water, “It lost its heat, the water,” he says, “Anyway, I won’t be hearing from my parents anytime soon.”

“How did you manage that?” asks Jimin, noticing the change of subject but going along with it. The last thing he wanted was to pile up any more pressure on him.

“I can be very convincing,” he says, with a wide smile.

“I can see that,” says Jimin, dipping the cloth in the water and squeezing it on him.

“Shit got cold!” exclaims Jungkook laughing.

“Come on bath over,” taunts Jimin, standing up, “We don’t want you getting a cold, now do we.”

“Want me to stand up now?” he asks with a smirk, Jimin gasps, remembering he was naked. His face flushes as he quickly turns around, blushing,

“Hurry and get dressed,” he says, walking out of the bathroom. He could hear Jungkook’s laughter as he steps outside, taking a deep breath, urging himself to calm down. The thought of Jungkook wrapping his arms around him, as they slept flushed in his mind.  

 

In spite of his own embarrassment and shyness, Jimin tired his best to not freak out about Jungkook who was sleeping behind him. Not sure if he was sleeping or not. He sighs, turning back to check if he was sleeping and found him watching him.

“Can’t sleep?” asks Jimin, turning his whole body to face him as Jungkook nods his head. The cool air of the room was as refreshing as the scent of his body washes coming of Jungkook’s body and hair. He would find rather narcissistic that he found his own scent stimulating or maybe it was Jungkook’s deep brown eyes staring at him. The moon illuminated the room from the window, and it lit up his face, beautifully.

“Try not to think too much,” advises Jimin, feeling lame as soon as the words escaped his mouth. Jungkook chuckles softly. He reached over, placing a hand on Jimin’s cheek, caressing it with his finger. His touch radiated heat and made Jimin almost want to purr. It was soothing.

“I love this,” he says quietly, trailing his fingers down to his neck, “You’re so beautiful.” Jimin swallowed his grin, watching him, eyes locked, though his cheeks heated. “So beautiful and safe. I want to trust you.”

Jimin smiles, “Then trust me.”

“Jimin.” He calls softly, his voice slightly trembling.

“Yeah?”

“Later on, somewhere in the future, if you are still in my life. I would like to take the mask off, the persona. When that day comes and you don’t want anything to do with me, just know that I will never blame you for walking away.”

Jimin moved closer to him, he could feel his breath on his face. His head was spinning, and his entire body vibrated with adrenaline, as Jungkook’s eyes dipped, feeling sleepy.

“If it means walking away, then I hope that day never comes,” he whispers, as Jungkook chuckles closing his eyes. Everything that happened all day echoed, and the more he thought about it, there wasn’t much he knew about Jungkook, aside from being the son of a suspected Underworld Kingpin.

Chapter Text

The auction was held at Park Hyatt, on the 1st-floor salon, and with a brief background check at the door, they were able to enter the venue. The Chief’s words echoed in Jimin’s mind; they were to be cautious of every moment made by the jeons. Keep a mental note of anyone who they interact with, and most importantly an interaction between them and the Takashi was to be marked. They were not really undercover since the Jungkook knows their faces, but they had to put on a face that they are there for non-professional leisure, so they all followed Dahyun’s guidance since she is more experienced in this area. The venue was beautiful, and people mingled, as to not stand out Dahyun introduced them to people she knew, shared smiles and laughter. Easy and relaxed. Chitchatting about nothing and everything. The place was crawling with important people, government people, CEOs, and celebrities. It was overwhelming.

“Let see you, kids, around,” says the Team leader, who aside from Dahyun seemed to know how to mingle. They watched him as he approached a group of men, probably politicians.

 

They went and stood at towards the back near the entrance with a full view of both exits, the stage, and every corner of the room. Good sightlines.  They grabbed wine in a fancy glass off a tray. Jimin gazes around the room, Jungkook was nowhere to be seen, nor was his father, mother, and brother. Jimin takes a sip of his champagne.

“A lot of politicians,” he says.

“Yap didn’t know they were into antiques,” he whispers Taehyung.

“Politicians are the direst of them all,” whispers Dahyun. They chuckle softly, returning to casual conversations, staying in character for the people who might overhear them. Jimin sweep his gaze lightly around, taking in all, the dress code was not enough to keep everyone on the same status, judging by the jewelry, watches, and shoes- some people were well of than most. Then Jimin sees him. At the entrance. Jungkook wore a black dark suit without a tie. It fit perfectly, tailored just for him, Jimin could tell. He looked breathtaking more than usual, and Jimin could not help but blush as memories of them devouring each other’s mouths flashes before his eyes. His gaze switches to the girl hooked on his right arm. It was the same girl that he saw at the club and at Dahyun’s friend. What was her name? he wonders. Hwasa? Or something. Hmm, they are closer than I thought. Beside the girl, was his adopted brother, Namjoon or something, with a blonde girl in his arm. That’s one family down, one more to go. Where is the Takashi?

“Let the party begin,” whispers Taehyung. Jimin glances at him and realizes he was not the only one watching Jungkook. He takes a deep breath, sipping his wine. He urged himself to focus, this was no time to get jealous or annoyed. This was work.

 

They continued to observe them from afar, watching him shaking hands with people, and smiling. Jimin takes another sip of his wine, feeling irritated. Not sure why. But deep down he knew, it was because of Hwasa, she seems awfully clingy, he thought.

“Jungkook seems friendly with the Prime minister’s daughter,” comments Taehyung. Jimin nods his head, glad he was not the only one who noticed. So, his speculation was due to his observation not jealous. He sighs relieved.

“Who is the guy and blonde girl?” asks Taehyung.

“Hmm, I don’t know the girl but that is his adopted brother, Namjoon,” replies Jimin.

“Adopted brother?” both Taehyung and Dahyun said at the same time.

“Yeah, I was surprised too,” says Jimin, “Apparently, not on paper.”

“So not an official adoption?” says Taehyung, “Hmm?”

 

Suddenly Jungkook turns to them, well towards Jimin, locking eyes with him across the room. His gaze goes to his gut, intense and piercing, filled with questions and surprise. Hwasa follows his line of gaze and locks eyes with Jimin, but her gaze was different. Icey and cold. There was something about her that made the air intense and heavy. It was a predatory gaze. Strong-willed and graceful.

“And there is our other guy,” says Taehyung. Jimin follows his line of sight, and spots Kato Takashi, walking in with a woman in his arm and three other men dressed in suits. Low-level bodyguards.

“They are coming over,” says Dahyun, nudging Jimin with her elbow. Jimin turns to see Jungkook and Hwasa heading towards them. Dahyun glanced at him, and Jimin knew immediately why she did, Hwasa will learn he is a detective, that is if Jungkook hadn’t told her already.

They stopped in front of them, Jungkook glances over at Jimin giving him a small smile or was Jimin thought. He turned his gaze to Taehyung and Dahyun.

“Well, this is a surprise,” he says with a smirk, solely gazing at Dahyun, “I thought you hated these types of events?”

“Well, a lot can change in three years,” she replies, trying her hardest not to look rattled, but Jimin knew she was from the look of her eyes. If she could, she would have slapped him or punched him right there.

“So, are you guys purchasing antiques or are you here for something else?” he asks, his tone of voice taunting them. He glances at Jimin again briefly, before turning to the rest.

“So, this is why you were at Tiffany’s house?” says Hwasa, her tone filled with skepticism.

Dahyun scoffs, ignoring her. Jungkook clears his throat,

“Well, have fun.”

“We will,” says Dahyun. Before he turned and walked away, Jungkook glanced at Jimin again, for a second but felt like an eternity.

“Conceited bastard, isn’t he?” comments Taehyung.

“When he wants to be,” replied Jimin.

“Time to focus,” the Team Leader’s voice comes through the earpiece, almost startled Jimin adjusts his,

“Yes sir,” They all reply.

 

The night was going by smoothly, the host of the event welcomed everyone as they settled at the table, waiting for the event to start. Jungkook and Kato have not made contact, nor did they look at each other. Nothing was happening aside from wealthy people looking to collect expensive antique for the purpose of showing off. The host continued giving speeches about some of the money going to some charity, and the valuables of the precious not ever seen antiques that are about to be an auction. Jimin glances at the table in front of them where Jungkook sat with Hwasa, Namjoon, and the blonde girl. It was quiet but Jimin knew just because things are quiet it doesn’t necessarily mean nothing is happening. Instincts are everything.

 

Time went by as the bidding continued, Jimin glances at Jungkook, noticing him getting up.

“Where’s he going?” asks Dahyun.

 “The news about the raid must’ve reached him,” says the Team Leader. Jimin glances at his watch, eleven ten was the go time for the raid, and it was already eleven -twenty. He glances at the table again and noticed they were all antsy. They whispered among each other, but it could be about the raid or something else. Jimin turns slightly and glances at the table where Kato Takashi sat, and he seemed relaxed.

“Want me to follow him sir?” asks Jimin, as Jungkook walks out of the venue.

“Go ahead but don’t alert him,” says the Team Leader.

 

Jimin walked out through the doors that lead to a hallway, he glances around, not sure which way Jungkook took. He places his earpiece in as he walked through the corridor, heading away from the salon and towards the other side, not the entrance that they come through. Right around the corner, he heard Jungkook, and came to a halt, peering at him.

“Are you sure!” roars Jungkook on the phone, “Fuck!” Jimin watched him silently, as Jungkook glances around, a bright flare of anger erupted in his eyes. Jimin ducks to the side.  The raid must’ve been a success. Jungkook’s handsome face was overtaken by anger as he pulls turns to his cellphone again.  Jungkook narrowed his eyes, in suspicion, turning off his phone.  

“Is there a reason why you’re following me?” he asks.

Jimin came from hiding, meeting him halfway, Jimin clears his throat, glancing around, “I’m not following you; I was looking for the bathroom.”

Jungkook narrows his eyes, chuckling, “Right?”

“Bad news?” asks Jimin, pointing at the phone, Jungkook follows his eyes, staring at the phone clenched in his hand.

“Don’t you have to use the bathroom?” he retorts, putting his phone in his pockets and walking past Jimin.

Jimin grabbed his wrist, stopping him, “Can we talk?”

“What is there to talk about?”

“A lot,” says Jimin, “How about what happened a few days ago?”

“Oh? You mean kissing me, getting me hot and bothered and then running away,” says Jungkook, turning to face, “I’m all ears, well?” Jimin’s face flushed at the thought, and Jungkook’s teasing tone, but takes a deep breath, composing himself. Before he could say the Team, leader’s voice comes through his earpiece, urging him for an update. Jimin lets go of his hand, turning around and pressing on his earpiece,

“Is everything alright?” asks the Team Leader over the earpiece.

“Yes, sir.”

“Do you have eyes on Jungkook?”

“Yes sir,” he replies, “I have to go, I’ll update when I can.”

“Alright, be careful.”

“Yes Sir,” he says taking out his earpiece so he can speak freely.

He turns around to face Jungkook, who he was surprised to see waiting, “Hmm? So, you are here on a job?”

“Yes, and you?” responds Jimin.

“Just accompanying a friend,” he says.

“Really? Is that why both you and your brother are here with your name on the list?”

“Yeah, why? is it illegal to come to an auction?”

Jimin exhales annoyed at his sarcasm, “Look, are doing business with Kato Takashi?”

“The Japanese guy?” says Jungkook, “No.”

“No?”

Jungkook smirks, walking towards him, stopping a foot away, “I have no business with Kato Takashi. Are you worried about me?”

Jimin swallows hard. The truth was he was worried, especially with the raid being a success, even though he still doesn’t know what exactly that success was. He wants to save Jungkook from all this but still doesn’t know how.

He sighs, “Yes, I’m worried,” he says, “Do you remember when you told me, if one day I see you for who you really are, you wouldn’t blame me for walking away?”

Jungkook stared at him, giving him a slight nod, “I still stand by my word.”

“Well, I can see you now, and I am not going to walk away,” replies Jimin.

“What’re you talking about?”

“I promise I will find out whatever it is your doing and stop you from ruining your life.”

Jungkook chuckles, amused but at the same filled with gentle concern, “You want to protect me?”

“Yes.”

“That’s sweet, but the only way you can protect me is by quitting the police force,” he says, “My life has been ruined the day I was born, having the last name Jeon attached to my name.”

 Jimin’s mouth open but no words came out, and then anger took over, “For fuck’s sake, stop it with the bullshit, you have a choice. Right now, everything you are doing is your choices. You can choose to walk away right now. You can choose to be with me, so stop it with the fate crap!” The whine in his voice annoyed him, and his stomach knotted more with anger.

“You are right,” says Jungkook, “And I have already made my choice.”

Jimin exhales, trying to pull himself together and not get overly emotional while he is on the job, “Can I ask you one thing?”

“What?”

“Did you ever love me?”

Jungkook froze in place, motionless, not uttering a word, and Jimin immediately regrets asking that question. This was definitely not the time or place to talk about such things but now that it was out, he was eager to know.

“Yes,” replies Jungkook, “I loved you then and I love you now, and if things were different, I would make the choice to walk away from my family, but I can’t.  I know I hurt you, I can’t take it back, but I wish I could. But things are complicated right now, and I want you to understand that I will always care about you, no matter what. But I can’t walk away for reasons I can’t share, not now,” his voice trailed off, as Jimin stood there, terrified, he did not expect him to confess and be honest.

Jimin stood still motionless, not sure of what to say to that. Jungkook loved him and still loves him? He was not alone in that aspect, Jungkook feels for him, just as he does. Jungkook reached out to tip up his chin up and stared into his eyes, leaving him frozen. Desire tighten his chest, as his heart pounded in his ear, “When I said you were my only truth, I meant that. I will always protect you. Sometimes I wish you just hated me; it would make things a lot easier for me.”

Jimin scans his eyes, “And you think me hating you would make a difference?”

“Yes, at least I won’t be pulled into two different worlds,” he responds, his voice low, his finger tracing Jimin’s lower lip, sending an electrifying sensation throughout his body, “I wish those eyes of yours weren’t so pure and innocent, sometimes I wish I could…” Jimin swallowed, trying to wet his throat. His hands clenched in anticipation of what he is going to say, feeling almost lightheaded. Amused Jungkook can still make him feel butterflies. Jungkook stared at him with enigmatic eyes, still tracing his lower lip, and then moves back, clearing his throat,

“Anyway, what I wish and want doesn’t matter,” he says finally. Jimin bit his lip, still feeling itchiness on his lip from his touch. Jungkook was dangerous, and he was crazy for him. Jimin remained speechless.

“Well, Detective,” says Jungkook, “I’ll see you around.”

“Jungkook?” calls Jimin, as Jungkook comes to a halt.

“Will they find anything at the warehouse?”

Jungkook stood silently, before speaking, “They will find what they need to,” he says, walking away. He wanted to go and stop him and smack some sense into him, but he knew more than anything how stubborn Jungkook is. He was playing a game, and whatever game it was, it is a dangerous one. Jimin’s gut tightens, feeling sick from helpless. He clenches his hands, wanting to break something. How can he protect him when he doesn’t even know the rules of the game he was playing?

Jimin watches him disappear around the corner, not sure what else to do? How can he get through to him?” he wonders.

You are not the only one being pulled into different worlds.

***

 

The auction left Jimin feeling uttering confused and even more suspicious that Jungkook was up to something. Jungkook’s answer of the police found what they needed puzzled him, but what left him in a hot mess was Jungkook confessing that he was still in love with him. He was more worried now than before. He had to come into work despite it being his off day, he was puzzled why the department was not celebrating when they such had a successful raid, with almost zero casualties on their side. If the raid was successfully, and they link the drugs to Jeon Imports and Exports, it would surely rain hell on Jungkook.

As they sat in the meeting room, Jimin could not help but noticed, Chief was not in a good mood, not the mood a person should be in when accredited with a large drug bust.

“The raid was a success,” says Yoongi, “But we still have a lot more to do, while the drugs are being processed in the lab. The warehouse is not listed in the Jeon’s name, but under one of their many aliases probably, we will learn more as the lab processes the evidence we collected, and we interrogate the men we managed to arrest.  We need to find out how to link that alias to them. The auction, however, seemed like was a cover something else, I got a phone call this morning, and Kato Takashi was arrested in Tokyo for smuggling in ICE.”

“What?” exclaims everyone.

“Yes, a deal was made between the Jeon and Takashi, they control all the Illegal Methamphetamine distribution in South Korea.”

Jimin glances over at Dahyun and Taehyung, who had the same question as him. The Jeons were never in contact with Kato Takashi, or did they miss something?

“Sir?” says Taehyung, “How can that be? We have been watching Kato Takashi and Jeon Jungkook, and no meeting was held between them, how could he obtain ICE? And how did the authorities in Tokyo know?”

“I am wondering the same, there must have been something we missed, an equation that we need to find out,” he says, “As soon as the drugs are identified, we will go from there until then I need everyone to search out an alias linked to the Jeons.”

***

As the day progressed, the Chief notified everyone the preliminary report of the raid, and it turned out, the drugs recovered at the warehouse was 20 grams of cocaine instead of meth, which rendered many other questions. The cargo that carried the coolers of drugs, had no logo on them so that made it difficult to attach a company to it.  The Jeons were a disturber of meth, not cocaine, that was in the something commonly known. The only suspected party of cocaine suppliers is Chon Duhan of the Chong Faction in Seoul, he controls Gangnam’s illegal sale of cocaine, high level but most importantly they were known to go head to head with the Jeon, both in the legal business and suspected illegal business.

“It’s crazy,” says Jimin, “How did we miss a deal?”

“I don’t know,” says Taehyung, “But the cocaine changes everything, the whole case, if we can’t link to the Jeons, then we have no choice but to turn it over to the Seoul Task Force.” It does change the game, thought Jimin, in many ways. Either the auction was a set up for distraction or the Jeons are looking to control all the chains of drug distribution. Or maybe it was a setup?

Jimin gasps, “What if it was a setup?”

“What?” asks Dahyun and Taehyung.

“What if the warehouse was a setup, and the auction a distraction,” he says, “Jeon Jungkook just moved back to Busan, surely he must have known he was being watched.”

“So, you think he orchestrated this whole thing?”

“I don’t know I am just guessing,” sighs Jimin, irritated that despite able to recover such large quantities of drugs, it just threw them towards another direction. They will find what they need to, Jungkook’s voice echoed in his head but why was he upset that he left the auction. Mask? Persona? Just what hell are you up to Jungkook? Is this your doing or your father? Jimin turns back to the computer in front of him, staring at the list of suspected aliases that the Jeons use, mostly linked to their men on the streets, then them. The warehouse was listed under an English name, John Kim.

He groans frustrated, the thing about the organized crime is that it was easy to arrest the workers and bodies but never the head. Everyone knew the men that got arrested at the warehouse are never going to speak, not when they feared the Kingpin more than the police. He types in the address of the warehouse, and pulls up the location, staring at it, not sure what he was looking for or expecting to find.

“When was the warehouse purchased?” he asks.

Taehyung looks up from his screen, “Hmm,” he says flipping through the file on his desk, “Recently, um…last month April twentieth? Why?”

“If the warehouse was purchased recently, wouldn’t the person who sold it still have a record of it?”

“Yeah, they would.”

“And since I assume, they used cash, that means they meet with the seller,” says Jimin, “This will allow us to put a face to the name, and random or not that person would have to meet with someone working for the Jeons, right?”

“Of course,” says Taehyung, “But would they be that reckless?”

“I don’t know but it’s worth exploring right,” says Jimin, “Um…don’t say anything to the Chief, not until I have something.”

Chapter Text

The man who used the alias John Kim who purchased the warehouse where the drugs were found was named Yoon Chan-young, a former ex-convict, who seemed to have no ties to the Jeon aside from the warehouse. Jimin had no doubts that he was just a pawn. He lived in a desolated neighborhood, where the building apartment looked a house for a horror film, attached to each other, and toppled upon each other. It was easy to see which people the government has neglected.

“Park across the street,” says Taehyung, who sat beside him. Jimin pulls the unmarked car, and parked it across the street, near the shops and outdoor markets.

When they reached the apartment complex where Chan-young aka John Kim lived, they stayed alert, ready to expect anything. The guy was arrested for violent assault, drugs and many other things that should have him tossed in prison and never let out. But Jimin had always found the justice system to be a paradox of some sort, funny in a way.

The apartment complex was small with a long narrow hallway, as they approached his apartment, they had their badges on display and guns were drawn. Jimin’s quickly searched the quiet hallway and turns back to Taehyung, who was getting ready to knock on the door. He knocked on the door twice, and there was no answer, and he knocked on it again. Silent.

“He’s not home,” he says.

Jimin glances around and puts his gun away, reaching for the doorknob, and turns it. He turns to Taehyung, surprised to find the door unlocked,

“Lucky day,” he says, as he slowly opens the door, and steps aside as Taehyung walks in with his gun drawn, canvassing the apartment as Jimin joined him. Once inside, Jimin was surprised to find the apartment with so much filth. Garbage everywhere. Empty beer bottles, food that should have been laid out on the table. The television was on static, not working.

“Argh, doesn’t look like someone lives here,” says Taehyung, as they both put their gun away. Jimin makes his way towards the television and turns it off, looking around. Searching for everything and nothing.

“I’m gonna check the room,” says Taehyung.

“Alright be careful,” says Jimin as he looks around the living room. The mess and smell made his stomach take a double turn, as the food he ate earlier came up at his throat. He exhales and moves to the kitchen.

Slowly and cautious, he walks into the kitchen, it was not in any better state than the living room. Dishes piled up on the sink. To his surprise, there was a pot on the stove, with boiling water, and his senses went on alert.

“Taehyung, “he calls out as he turns around, but his words were cut by a cold silver sharp object met his left side of his abdomen. His eyes widen, his skin taking on a pale look, as a pair of green eyes stared back at him beneath a black cap. At first, it felt like someone had punched but once the pain settled in Jimin realized what just happened, his heart pounded. The stranger smirked as he yanked his hand back, pulling the sharp object out and pushes him to the ground. In agonized pain, his sense went on a circle, he could hear the stranger’s footstep, and tried to get back on his knee, reaching for his gun, but found himself collapsing on the floor as the stranger turned him to his back. Trembling with pain, he stared at the stranger standing above, and he couldn’t help but chuckle in pain. Liquid ran down from the throbbing spot where the metal was inserted.

Fuck, I’m going to die. How didn’t I hear him before? So, this is how it feels to be stabbed.

“Get the fuck away from him!” a voice came roaring, “Put down the fucking knife now!”

 

 Jimin’s eyesight blurred, as Taehyung’s voice echoed in his ears, as the feeling in his body drained, as he went in and out of consciousness.

“Hey, stay with me,” he heard Taehyung say, as pressure was placed on the wound, “Come on Jimin, stay with me. Officer down! I need an ambulance!”

“Jungkook,” he mutters with shallow breathes, his mind swirling until everything went black.

***

 

Jimin opened his eyes, waking up to a cream color wall. There were flowers, clean sheets and a beeping noise that echoed in his ears. An IV was plunged in his arm and nose. He was in a hospital, surrounded by oxygen and heart monitors.

“Hey, you awake,” says his mother, holding his hand.

“Mom?”

“Hey, I’m here,” she says, smiling.

“Taehyung?” he says quietly, panicking, “Where is he? Is he alright- “

“He’s fine,” she says quickly, “Let me get the doctor.”

Jimin’s gaze follows his mother as she places a kiss on his forehead, walking out of the room. Jimin exhales, staring at the ceiling. He glances around his mind and body in a wreck, still unable to believe he got stabbed. His gaze turns to the clock on the wall that read nine am.

 

It wasn’t long until the door opened again, and the doctor walked with the nurse, and then his mother. His eyes follow the doctor, as he walks over to his side.

“Good morning,” says the doctor, “I’m doctor Kim. I’m just going to check up on you, Detective, alright.”

 Jimin stares at him, still and quiet, the doctor pulls out a small flashlight, “Do you remember what happened?” he asks, as he flashes the small light on his face, moving it side to side, normal routine. Jimin follows the light,

“I was stabbed,” he replies as the doctor.

“You were lucky, the knife didn’t do any serious damage,” he says, “Of course you will need to rest until the wound is healed.”

“Any discomfort? Pain?”

“No.”

“Alright,” says the doctor, done with his probing, and turns to his mother, “He’ll be alright. He just needs to take it easy. I recommend he stays here for a few days to above any issues but other than that he is going to be fine.”

“Thank you,” says his mother.

 

His mother sits beside him, as he pushes the button to level up the bed. He turns to her. He could tell she did not get any sleep. Her eyes were darkened, and she looked like she aged before her time. She must’ve been scared.

“I’m sorry,” he says, in a mere whisper, “I was reckless.”

“Don’t worry about anything,” she says, stroking his hand, “You’re alright that’s all that matters.”

***

“Hi, woke up,” says Jimin, quietly, as he caresses Jungkook’s cheek, sleeping beside him. A soft chuckle escapes Jungkook’s mouth as his eyes remained closed.

“Wake up, lazy head,” says Jimin. Jungkook sighs, as he opens his eyes, locking gaze with Jimin. Jimin loved waking up to his beautiful warm brown eyes and mainly flowery scent with his disheveled hair.

“Come on, let’s go eat breakfast,” says Jimin, sitting up. Jungkook groaned, whining incoherently. Jimin chuckles, “planning on sleeping all day.” As he was about to get off the bed, Jungkook grabbed his arm. Jimin turns to him, as Jungkook gives him a huge grin.

“Come on,” whines Jimin, as Jungkook sits up, sitting beside him, placing his chin on his shoulder.

“Can’t we just lay here all day?” he whispers, kissing his neck. Jimin shivered, blushing at the sensations. He could feel heat suffusing his cheeks, as Jungkook continued giving him small kisses on the neck. Jimin turned to meet his gaze.  Jungkook stops at the pulse point before capturing the lobe of his ear.

“I love you,” whispers Jungkook, he leaned down and kisses him.

 

“Jimin,” a familiar voice called. Jimin opened his eyes, his heart aching from the dream he just had. He prayed a part of him would see Jungkook as his eyes adjusted to the light but were immediately brought back to reality. The voice belonged to Taehyung, who sat at the chair beside his bed, Jimin stares at him not sure when he fell asleep.

“Hey,” says Taehyung, softly. Jimin chuckles, gazing at him, his face brightens and yet his eyes filled with concern.

“What time is it?” he says, glancing at Taehyung’s hand holding his, then back at him.

Taehyung glances at his watch, “It’s one pm,” he says, “How are you doing?”

“Sleepy,” replies Jimin, glancing around, “Where is my mom?”

“I found her here with your father while you were sleeping, and told them to get some rest,” answers Taehyung, “She said they’ll come back again.”

“Okay,” says Jimin, “What happened to John Kim?”

“Well, I arrested him, and he was interrogated but refused to talk,” he replies, “But don’t you worry about him. We’ll crack him soon enough.”

Jimin chuckles, his mouth dry, “Can I have some water?”

“Oh? Yeah, sorry,” says Taehyung, as he quickly gets up. Jimin laughs, he has never seen him so out of it, it was funny and strange to see. He was usually composed and steady. Jimin watches him as he pours water in a glass and walks over to him. Taehyung helps him drink the water and afterward places the cup on top of the counter. Jimin follows him with his eyes as he sits down, fidgeting with his hands.

“Where is everybody?” asks Jimin.

“They came but you were sleeping,” he replies, “They’ll come back later.”

“Hmm?” says Jimin, “It’s weird.”

“What is?”

“Getting stabbed?” he replies with a soft chuckle, “I’ve been shot at, and came close to death more times than I would like to remember but this…”

“Hey, gotta experience everything right?” Taehyung teases.

Jimin giggles, “This was one experience where I would’ve liked to escape, thanks.”

“Yeah, you and everyone else.”

“Anyway, thanks for saving me.”

“I did what anyone in my place would do.”

“You saved me, I’m glad you were there.”

“You are welcome.”

 

Jimin clears his throat, as flashes of the moment come back in his mind. He knew he was delirious from losing too much blood but as much as he wanted to ignore it, he knew he called Jungkook’s name before passing out. His heart ached, and he wanted to see him, but maybe this was the best. He wouldn’t know what to say to him anyway, and would Jungkook even come see him? The possibility of rejection drove him crazy. Jimin turns to look at him, wondering if Taehyung heard him call out Jungkook’s name?

“Um…” says Jimin.

“What is it?”

“Um…before I blacked out, I- “says Jimin, trying to find the words. His voice trails off as Taehyung stares at him with anticipation, “Um…nevermind.”

“Do you need anything?”

“No, it’s lunchtime,” he says, “Don’t you have to go back?” Taehyung glances at his watch,

“Yeah, but I’m sure the Chief will understand.”

“Are you sure? I don’t want you getting in trouble.”

“Yeah, I’m sure,” he says, with a reassuring smile.

***

 

As his dreams linger, Jimin arises to the tingling sensation, his hand feeling numb. He turned to the other side, looking down at the figure who was holding his hand tightly, to the verge of putting it to sleep. He glances around as his eyes adjust to the rays of the sun glistening through the window, and when he focuses again, his heart skipped a beat. Jungkook was fast asleep, holding his hand. Despite the cut of blood flow to his hand, Jimin let his hand stay where it was, interlocked with Jungkook’s hand. Jimin smiles unable to pull himself away, he gazed at him, wondering if he was still dreaming?

Jungkook lifts up his head, yawning before looking at Jimin, meeting his gaze. His face flashed slightly embarrassed,

“You’re up?” he says.

“You put my hand to sleep,” Jimin teases, Jungkook follows his gaze, realizing he was still holding his hand, and let’s go.

“Sorry,” he says softly.  

Jimin chuckles, moving his hand to get the blood flowing to avoid anything serious that could come from lack of blood.

“What’re you doing here?”

“I can leave if you want,” he replies, standing up from the chair quickly.

“I’m not chasing you out,” says Jimin, pressing the button and sitting the bed up, to be more comfortable, “I want you to stay. I’m happy you’re here.”

Jungkook slowly sits back down, gazing at him, “I’ve been out of Busan, I just saw the news. I would’ve been here earlier.”

“It’s alright, you’re here now,” says Jimin, “It’s really good to see you.” Jungkook exhales, his eyes briefly lowering, as he bites his lip, and glances back up to meet his gaze.

“You too,” he replies dimly with a soft nod.

“I-I- hate the way things are between us,” Jimin’s says, the words getting choked in his throat, “People say that when you are on the verge of death, you’re whole life flashes before your eyes, but the only thing I could have was you.”

“Jimin- “

“Let me talk please,” says Jimin, his eyes tearing up, “All that came to my mind is how much I wanted to see you. How much I wanted to hug you. Be with you. There is so much I wanted to tell you. I wanted to apologize because I realized I was selfish- “

“Hey,” says Jungkook, taking Jimin’s hand in his, “You have nothing to apologize for. I’m the one who fucked up. I walked away. Jimin, I’m sorry for everything. The lies. The pain. The hurt. I’m sorry I lied to you. I’m sorry for the games. I thought I was able to walk away but I don’t want to anymore.”

….

Both of their eyes drip with tears, moment by moment, Jimin interlocks his finger with Jungkook,

“So, what do we do now? I don’t want to be sad anymore.”

“I don’t want to be sad anymore either,” replies Jungkook, clearing his throat as he gets up from the chair, and stands closer beside the bed, “I hate seeing you cry.” He reaches over and gently wipes the salty tears of Jimin’s cheek.

“I hate seeing you cry too,” Jimin mumbles, trying not to weep. Jungkook sits down on the bed, gazing at him.

“I’m not gonna make you any promises,” he says, his voice trailing off, “But I want you to make me one.”

“What it is?”

“I’m doing something, and I don’t want to tell you right now because I don’t want you involved,” he says, “Please don’t ask me what. I just want you to give me a month. Just one month, and afterward, I will tell you everything.” Jimin sniffles, staring at him, puzzled and concern, but remained silent, refraining himself from asking.

“I won’t ask what it is you’re doing but what is it you want me to promise?”

“If something happens to me- “

“Jungkook.”

“No, hear me out, I won’t lie, what I’m doing is dangerous so if something happens to me, I don’t want you doing anything except moving on with your life. Can you promise me that?”

“That’s not fair.”

“I know,” says Jungkook, with a soft chuckle, “I know what I’m asking is unfair, but can you please promise me?”

Jimin nods his head, “Fine, I promise.”