Actions

Work Header

Coil and Croon

Summary:

A collection of minifics about SakuOro and their family. Many involving bb!Kakashi, and some with a variety of adopted cublings.

Notes:

Most of these are unrelated to each other; those that are connected have a parenthetical note in the title.

The first two were written for [personal profile] rthstewart's Three Sentence Ficathon. (Part 1; Part 2)

There will be one minific posted daily through May, to kick the collection off. Update: over a year and a half on of daily updates and they are like to continue for a while yet.

Sakumo's canonical character death shall not be featured here, nor anything where Orochimaru leaves (without his family). For those, rather more on the angst side, there's Broken Pack.

(See the end of the work for more notes and other works inspired by this one.)

Chapter 1: Warmth in the Winter

Notes:

Originally written for the prompt Any fandom, any character, cold blooded. Expanded and edited somewhat here.

Chapter Text

Sakumo smothered a laugh at the dark grumblings barely audible from beneath the heavy winter kakebuton. Apparently he didn’t smother it well enough; the mutterings faded into an angry hiss - though it was rather lacking in ferocity - even as the slender figure curled tighter. Orochimaru’s angular cheek settled on Sakumo’s chest, faintly cool fingers splaying over his belly. Snuggling for warmth, though he would, no doubt, never openly admit to doing such a thing.

Sakumo wondered, if Orochimaru was still with him in the spring . . . would he curl up in the sun to bask, like one of his own summons?

Chapter 2: Another World

Notes:

This was written for the prompt Any fandom, hero/villain, a second try.

This one is a sole exception for the collection *coughs* in that Sakumo's canonical suicide is mentioned as happening . . . but as he is alive and they are together it doesn't fit into Broken Pack (the one-or-both-broken-or-gone collection) so after some mental debate . . . here it stays. It also rather got away from me on the Three Sentence Ficathon to begin with, as you can see.

Chapter Text

Orochimaru struggled to stay awake, clawing onto consciousness and turning to look at the man sprawled beside him; he managed to cling for just long enough to take in the messy silvery hair, the mostly bare figure, that he was breathing- and then darkness and exhaustion took him.

When Orochimaru woke he barely had a moment to feel the spark of panic or look around before he found himself hauled bodily into a powerful kiss, and he arched his back, thighs splaying across his lover’s lap as he returned it demandingly.

“Where are we?” Sakumo asked as he pulled away, slightly breathless and his lips turned up in a tiny hint of a smile Orochimaru had not seen for far too long.

Orochimaru cleared his throat and smoothed his hair with one hand, extending his senses as he should have the moment he arrived; his chakra felt . . . odd, here, but it responded as it should, at least. “Another world.” he said, and glanced at Sakumo. “I . . . could not simply bring you back, after what you did, but I could move us both . . . elsewhere. There is no returning.” he added warily.

Sakumo reached up, tangling his fingers with Orochimaru’s and trailing down a lock of his long hair. “I knew that when I made my choice, lovely,” he glanced down at where there was no longer a wound, nor even a scar, across his belly, then back up, “I- It’s all right. Thank you.” he added, swallowing thickly. “For the . . . chance.”

Chapter 3: Offered Aid

Chapter Text

Sakumo nodded along to his friend’s story, but his eyes strayed back to the graceful figure across the room, currently uncharacteristically stiff - he would know, he spent entirely too much time watching this particular person - and frowning fiercely - just visible in the nearby mirror - while struggling with hairpins.

Sakumo fidgeted, struggling to fix his attention on Dan’s words again, only to find a knowing grin directed at him as his friend fell silent. He narrowed his eyes and Dan leaned closer, opening his mouth. Sakumo punched his shoulder and he flinched back, pouting.

“Shut up, you.” Sakumo warned in a soft murmur, pointing at his friend.

Dan rolled his eyes and held his hands up, and Sakumo looked back again, tensing as he saw the hitching, painfully awkward movements involved in unwinding long silken hair.

“Just go.” Dan said, barely a breath. “Ask.”

Sakumo glanced at him, and he lifted his head in an encouraging nod. Sakumo bit his lip, but rose and moved across the room.

“Let me help you?” he asked Orochimaru, meeting golden eyes easily when he whirled, jerking as ribs Sakumo knew were fractured twisted.

“Hatake. What do you want?” Orochimaru asked, eyes narrow.

Sakumo offered his open palms. “To help you. You’re hurting. I know you can handle it, but you don’t have to.” he said softly.

Orochimaru only stared at him, eerily still even for a ninja.

Sakumo gestured to his long hair. “Will you let me?” he asked hopefully.

Orochimaru snorted, lifting his head a little more. “I am not a useless hime, you know. Even if I am capable of appearing as such.” His voice was sharp and acidic.

Sakumo’s brows rose. “I would never assume you were.” he said gently. “I’m fairly certain I saw you raze half the shiro with your bare hands. But you’re hurting, and I can help. If you’ll allow me.”

Orochimaru shifted slightly, then inclined his head a tiny fraction, turning his back. He was steel-stiff, but he didn’t twitch as Sakumo freed the last jewelled pin from his hair - it felt like glossy, heavy, raw silk and Sakumo had to fight not to simply bury his hands in it, or his face - and then reached past him for the brush.

The taut lines of his body eased slowly as Sakumo brushed out his long hair, keeping gentle hold of the sleek tresses to prevent pulling. A sneaked glance at the mirror revealed his eyes were heavy-lidded and his lips slightly parted. Sakumo shivered.

Sakumo lingered reluctantly once he was finished, letting the heavy locks run through his fingers just once more before returning the brush to its place. “Thank you.” he said quietly, tucking his fingers against his palm before he could reach to touch again, aware permission was no longer implied. He took a step back.

“Wolf.”

Sakumo paused, brows rising, and Orochimaru tilted his head, his hair falling aside to bare his long, pale neck. Sakumo swallowed.

“Braid it?” he asked, lifting his jaw a fraction, and Sakumo grinned, taking a quick step back to his side.

“As you wish.”

Chapter 4: Marked

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru pulled back from the warm, sweet kiss rather sooner than he would have liked, eyes narrowing. Sakumo was laughing breathlessly, sagging against the tree behind him.

“What?” Orochimaru asked testily, tense.

Sakumo smiled, the look in his eyes soft and affectionate. “Oh. . . Lovely.” he said, sliding his hands up Orochimaru’s shoulders, which was not helpful at all. “It’s you. Of course it is.”

What?” Orochimaru demanded again, hissing uncomfortably.

Sakumo pulled at him and Orochimaru swayed with it easily before catching himself and turning his head away. Sakumo kissed his jaw. “Don’t be cross, lovely.” he crooned, then dropped one hand, pulling open his festival yukata at the top.

Orochimaru’s eyes dropped to the skin revealed even as he tensed, wondering what Sakumo- Then he saw it. “Aconitum.” he said absently, trailing a finger down Sakumo’s chest to rest on the soulmark over his heart.

“Wolf’s bane.” Sakumo said with a wry laugh. “My parents were. . . Ah.” He shrugged.

Orochimaru blinked. “Ah. I can only imagine.” He shook his head slightly, then arched an eyebrow. “What was so-” Realisation dawned. “You didn’t know.” he said softly, wondering.

Sakumo tilted his head. “You knew?” he asked, sounding surprised.

Orochimaru moved forwards and kissed him, welcomed with open arms and another kiss as sweet as their first, despite the surprised sound catching in Sakumo’s throat as their lips met. He pulled away reluctantly after only a few moments.

“Yes, I knew.” Orochimaru said softly, bringing up his right arm, letting his sleeve slide back to bare his own soulmark. It was a canine fang, deeply cracked, the shape of the damage reminiscent of striking lightning. “I thought. . .”

He’d thought Sakumo must know of their connection, to be willing- to want-

Orochimaru pressed close to Sakumo again, nestling against him. Sakumo’s arms came around him, holding him tight, and Sakumo crooned almost in his ear, nuzzling into his hair.

Notes:

There are no angst implications in their soulmarks whatsoever. Nope.

Chapter 5: Sannin Advice

Notes:

Please ignore the timeline for today. Its wrecking was for a good cause. (Again.)

Chapter Text

“Tadaima!” Sakumo called, unwinding Kakashi’s sling while he kicked his feet impatiently, yipping.

“Okaeri, wolf.”

Orochimaru’s voice came from the back of the house, but not his workroom. Sakumo clucked chidingly at Kakashi, juggling the cub in one arm and hanging up the sling along with his vest with the other hand, then bringing his feet up one at a time to pry off his sandals. Kakashi squirmed and Sakumo barked softly at him. He quieted.

“Something interesting happened today.” Sakumo called as he made his way through the house to his mate, allowing Kakashi to the floor once he saw that Orochimaru was only hanging the futons outside, the shoji open wide to the garden.

“Oh?” Orochimaru twisted to look over his shoulder, and made a silly face at Kakashi, scrunching his nose and sticking his tongue out.

Kakashi giggled, crawling towards his Mama, and Sakumo smiled fondly.

“Nothing to do with Kakashi?” Orochimaru asked, hurriedly throwing the last of the material in his hands up and taking a step back to catch Kakashi just as he made it to the edge of the engawa.

“No; Dan dropped by while we were at the training fields.” Sakumo said, moving outside himself and leaning against a support pillar. “He wanted to ask for . . . advice.” he said wryly.

“Dan!” Kakashi said helpfully, and Orochimaru laughed softly, kissing the tip of his nose and putting him back on the engawa, then scaling up to it himself, leaving his shoes behind.

“Advice?” Orochimaru arched a brow. “For whatever purpose was Dan seeking your advice?”

“How to be married to one of the Sannin without getting murdered, I think.” Sakumo said playfully, and Orochimaru snorted. “He asked me how to . . . hm. Express himself in a positive light, I suppose, to you and Jiraiya.”

“What did you tell him?” Orochimaru asked, and Sakumo smiled, but didn’t answer. His mate eyed him. “Tsunade is only more likely to like him if Jiraiya fusses about him, I hope he knows and does not try to court Jiraiya’s favour with something foolish.”

“And you?” Sakumo asked, curious how Orochimaru would see it.

Orochimaru sniffed. “I don’t care.” he said, crouching to pull a leaf out of Kakashi’s hair.

Sakumo watched his mate and cub for a moment, a fond rumble building in his throat. “You mean, as long as he makes Tsunade happy, you’ll be satisfied with him.” he suggested, and Orochimaru gave him a dark look.

There was no argument forthcoming, however.

Chapter 6: Wolf and Hime (wolf & hime)

Notes:

The parenthetical addition to the title here means this one will have a/multiple followups; look for them by later chapters with the note 'wolf & hime' added.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Hatake!”

Sakumo sighed and rose, making his way to the tent from which Jiraiya was yelling and sticking his head in. “Yes?”

He blinked, eyes widening at the profusion of finery spread . . . everywhere inside. Jiraiya seized his shoulder and hauled him inside. “Your clan, they were nobility, right?” he asked, dragging Sakumo across the tent.

“. . .generations ago, yes, what has that got to-”

“We need someone to play lord.” Jiraiya said, pausing and eyeing Sakumo critically, then glancing at the riot of colourful fabric thrown over a low table next to them. “A warrior lord is acceptable but it has to be someone who can carry the role well. Without henge.”

“What about you?” Sakumo protested, trying to pull away as Jiraiya held a haori up to him.

“Oh, hell, I can’t play it.” Jiraiya grinned at him. “Too loud, too common, I know that.”

“We wouldn’t get Jiraiya back in one piece, anyway, if he went.” Tsunade said dryly, saluting Sakumo with her glass.

“I haven’t agreed to this at all.” a venomous tone from behind a screen Sakumo had almost thought was part of the mess of finery.

“We already know you’ll do it!” Tsunade yelled back before Jiraiya could say anything. “We need it . . . and anyway, Hatake’ll be a better fit with you, I’m sure you can pull it off.”

“Sorry,” Jiraiya told Sakumo, patting his shoulder, “Orochi’s playing your hime.”

Sakumo opened his mouth, then promptly forgot what he had been going to say as Orochimaru slipped out from behind the screen, wearing a dusky silver kimono - with at least four underlayers - patterned with trailing fuji blossoms. The markings on his face had been used as the base for lines of intricate makeup, and his hair swept up and pinned with kanzashi that dripped tiny fuji made of amethyst, save for the locks that fell to frame his face, somehow softening his angular jaw.

“I suppose the wolf is more palatable,” Orochimaru said in a sharp snap, lip curling and showing sharp teeth, “he certainly has more sense.”

“Thank you, lovely.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru’s eyes - no hiding those, they were brilliant gold and sharp, the slit pupils stark against the unusual colour - snapped to him.

What did you call me?” Orochimaru asked, and Sakumo stilled, scrambling to-

He flushed. “Lovely.” he said quietly, and growled at Jiraiya when he started to guffaw. “You always are, but I didn’t know you could look . . . like this.” he said semi-apologetically.

Jiraiya’s laughter cut off sharply with a choking noise, and Tsunade snickered into her sake. “Always?” she asked teasingly.

Sakumo frowned at her. “Yes.” he said firmly, glancing warily back to Orochimaru, who was eyeing him assessingly. Sakumo fought the impulse to square his shoulders and ensure he looked his best.

“Tsunade’s right,” Orochimaru said with a sigh, “I will do it,” he paused, “and I would rather Sakumo accompany me than any of the others.” he added, catching Sakumo’s eyes from beneath his lashes.

Chapter 7: Nightmares and No Promises

Chapter Text

Orochimaru had woken to the soft croons of his mate soothing their cub, but he stayed quiet as Kakashi whimpered into his father’s shoulder and eventually calmed, going back to sleep under his stroking hand.

After settling Kakashi down a little more, Sakumo looked over at Orochimaru and startled when their eyes met. Orochimaru smiled slightly, moving closer. “Nightmare?” he asked quietly, trailing a feathery caress over Kakashi’s cheek and shoulder.

Sakumo nodded, nestling into the blankets, Kakashi snugly cradled between them now. “It was something about a tri-headed monster whose screams made the wolves’ ears explode? And something about the world being upside down. And purple water.”

Orochimaru’s brows drew together, but he nodded.

“I think it’s stranger than mine were at his age, but hell if I can remember.” Sakumo admitted, propping his jaw on one hand. “Certainly weirder than anything I’ve had lately.”

Orochimaru shrugged fluidly. “My nightmares are usually about losing you.” he said honestly, glancing from his mate down to their cub, sleeping peacefully now. He dipped his head and kissed Kakashi’s temple, and looked up when Sakumo’s hand brushed his cheek.

Sakumo opened his mouth, then just smiled faintly. “I adore you, lovely.” he said quietly. “I wish. . .”

Orochimaru rolled his shoulder, nudging his cheek into Sakumo’s palm. He knew. No promises could be made that he never would, whatever they might wish.

Chapter 8: Return and Reassurance

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo stood in the doorway, still dirty and carrying all of his mission gear - he shouldn’t have been dragged off so soon, he had been furious to be told he had to leave and anxious for the days he was gone. His still healing mate and new cub needed him and it pained him to be away from them.

But now he had returned to them, and they were safe in their den, and. . .

“I didn’t know you sing, lovely.” Sakumo said, voice rough with exhaustion.

Orochimaru turned towards him, golden eyes soft, no surprise in the sinuous shift of his body. Kakashi was cradled against his bare chest, tiny fingers caught in long locks of hair, sleeping with his mouth gaping open against his Mama’s skin. Sakumo’s heart throbbed and his throat felt tight.

“I missed you.” Sakumo said thinly, swallowing down a whine.

Orochimaru smiled gently, freeing one arm from around Kakashi and beckoning to him. Sakumo hesitated - he was still filthy and he still wore his flak vest and his weapons and-

Orochimaru beckoned again, raising an eyebrow, and Sakumo let out a rough little breath and went to them, nuzzling his mate affectionately and running a gentle hand over Kakashi’s hair without quite touching him.

“We missed you.” Orochimaru replied, kissing him fleetingly. “But we are all right.” He tilted his head. “Let me put Kakashi down and I’ll help you wash.”

Sakumo should protest - he didn’t need help, truly; let Kakashi keep his mother - but . . . he ached for his mate’s presence, touch, the comfort of being near again. Of carrying Orochimaru’s scent as he should again.

“All right.” Sakumo said, reaching out and just stopping himself from touching his cub again. Not until he was clean. Kakashi was too little to be so careless with him. “Thank you.”

“You’re mine.” Orochimaru replied simply, giving a small smile. “Mate.”

Sakumo hummed low in his throat, soothed. “I am.” he agreed with a smile of his own, and he moved away again, down the hall to the bathroom as Orochimaru slipped into the bedroom with Kakashi.

Notes:

Hiruzen should probably consider himself lucky he came out of ordering Sakumo to leave his mate and new cub almost immediately after Kakashi was born in one piece. . . Although I doubt he's thought about it.

Chapter 9: Wrong (averting Sakumo's suicide)

Notes:

Thus far this and the followup to it are the only ones in this collection to even remotely deal with Sakumo's suicide . . . any where it is a major point/not averted will be in Broken Pack.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru grumbled under his breath at the disturbance but raised his head and, after a moment, ran through the seals to unlock the door and take down the warding. He was prepared to snap when the door opened but bit his tongue when Kakashi spilled around it and into his workroom. There had been a time when Kakashi would come pester Orochimaru without regard for what he was working on, but he had outgrown that - and he looked ruffled and distressed.

“Kashi, what is it?” Orochimaru asked, moving away from the table and kneeling, arms open.

Kakashi ran for him, and Orochimaru felt a nervous prickle. “Mama. . .” Kakashi all but moaned into his chest, clinging, and Orochimaru closed his arms around his son. Kakashi was shaking slightly.

“Hush,” he soothed, one hand ruffling and petting Kakashi’s wild hair, “tell me.”

“It’s- It’s Dad, Mama, he’s not acting right and he wrote a letter and hid it and his tanto is out but none of his other mission gear and he hasn’t gone out and he wouldn’t eat all day and he smells funky and sour, Mama something’s wrong, you have to-”

“I’ll see to it.” Orochimaru said thinly, Kakashi’s recitation plucking at him uncomfortably. Something, indeed, must be very wrong. Orochimaru hadn’t seen it in his mate, but had spent . . . perhaps too little time with his family of late. “We’ll go right now.”

Chapter 10: New and Strange

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Down! Dad! Down!” Kakashi chanted in his ear, squirming against his back. “Dad. . .” He whined, at a teeth-grinding pitch, and Sakumo’s eye twitched.

“Not yet, cub.” he said evenly.

“Mama!” Kakashi yowled almost immediately, and Sakumo covered his face with one hand for a moment.

“Listen to your father Kakashi.” Orochimaru said firmly, and Kakashi whined more, kicking and squirming in his sling.

“You can get down when we’re done.” Sakumo told him patiently, setting another marker. Kakashi whuffed sulkily but stopped whining and settled a little. “Thank you.”

Orochimaru met him halfway past the next one, hands empty, and Sakumo smiled at his mate. “Ready to head down to the water?” Orochimaru asked, brushing the backs of his fingers over Sakumo’s face. He turned his face into the touch and nipped at the tips of elegant fingers as they fell away again, making Orochimaru laugh softly.

Kakashi whined pointedly behind his head.

“When you are, lovely.” Sakumo said with a slightly exasperated smile. Orochimaru’s lips twitched, but he didn’t say anything and he didn’t laugh again, simply leading the way down from the warded area they’d begun down towards the sound of the waves.

It was the work of a few moments to have the wards finished and Sakumo stretched, handing off his pack to his mate. “Now you can get down, cub.” he said, craning his neck to look at Kakashi. His eyes were wide and staring straight out at the ocean. “If you still want to?”

Kakashi whined softly, and Sakumo reached around and up his own back, patting Kakashi’s leg comfortingly. “Do you want to get down, Kakashi?” He paused. “It’s the ocean. You don’t have to go near it if you don’t want to.”

Kakashi tore his gaze away and nodded, and Sakumo reached for the sling. His mate’s hands brushed his own away, extricating Kakashi more easily than he could have, and Orochimaru brushed a kiss to their cub’s brow, then set him on the sand.

He crouched, winding his fingers into the fabric of Sakumo’s pants, and resumed staring at the sea with what looked to be painfully wide eyes.

Sakumo shook his head slightly, folding the sling into a messy bundle and leaning over to kiss his mate lightly. “Think he’ll get used to it?” he asked softly. “I didn’t think he’d be frightened.”

“It may take him a bit, but I’m certain he will. He’s a curious little one.” Orochimaru said fondly. “It’s just new and strange.”

Notes:

Kakashi is a sweet vipercub, but he's also a little bit of a brat . . . sometimes.

Chapter 11: Prisoner

Chapter Text

Sakumo paused as he came to a heavy door with a pair of guards, lowering his head and growling, deep and rough.

“I- I’m sorry, Jounin Hatake, but I- We can’t let you do that.”

Sakumo bared his fangs, snarling. One of the guards quailed a bit, but the other took a step forwards. “You can’t pass, and you can’t see the prisoner.”

Sakumo flickered to his side and slammed his elbow into the man’s throat, from just enough of an angle not to crush his trachea. The other drew his sword, steadying at the sign of a threat and advancing on Sakumo, but two quick seals sent lightning leaping from Sakumo’s hands to the sword.

The guard never had a hope of dropping it fast enough, and he slammed backwards into the door, groaning as he collapsed to the floor.

“I don’t think there’s enough of you to be telling me I can’t see my mate.” Sakumo said, kicking the door in with a crack of the frame breaking free of the wall.

He strode down the dimly-lit corridor, following the scent of his deeply angry mate.

“Sakumo!” Orochimaru uncoiled from his place on the thin futon and darted to the cell door. “What-” His eyes flicked over Sakumo rapidly. “What are you doing here?”

“I came home and Kakashi told me men took his Mama away. He remembered a little of what they said.” Sakumo said softly, resting his brow against the bars keeping him from touching his mate properly.

Orochimaru slid his fingers over Sakumo’s on the bars, and he fought another snarl at the sight of the seals binding Orochimaru’s wrists and hands. They were painted directly onto his skin and covered by a second set engraved into metal cuffs. “Is Kakashi all right?” he asked softly.

“He was upset and scared.” Sakumo replied, twining his fingers with his mate’s. “He wasn’t hurt, though. He wants his Mama back. I want my mate home.”

Orochimaru swallowed. “I don’t know . . . if that will happen, wolf-heart.” he said with a weak, bitter smile. “It appears sensei intends to deny the project I worked on . . . and I will be the figure to carry the disgust that comes from necessary but unpalatable work.”

Sakumo growled. He didn’t . . . care much for Orochimaru’s human-focused experiments, but this was- He drew a deep breath and let it out. “Then. . .”

“Root is to be disbanded. Danzo appears set up to carry on just as he always has,” Orochimaru hissed angrily, “sensei’s dearest friend.” he spat. Sakumo closed his eyes, whining helplessly. Orochimaru’s fingertips brushed his face, and he looked up at his mate. “. . .wait and see what they decide. Perhaps- Perhaps it won’t be so bad.”

Sakumo’s eyes fixed on the seals binding his mate, then rose to meet his own. He swallowed. “Whatever you wish.” he said, meaning it, though it wrenched at him.

Orochimaru’s eyes widened, then softened. “Wait.” he repeated, clasping Sakumo’s hand in his own and reaching to cup Sakumo’s cheek. “I love you. Thank you.”

Chapter 12: Flirting

Notes:

This is one of my own favourites of those I've written for them thus far.

Chapter Text

Sakumo eyed Orochimaru’s cool expression and sighed, ready to slide off his stool and slink away, but. . . There was a hint of wariness around the gorgeous eyes still fixed on him, perhaps even . . . confusion?

Sakumo took a drink of his sake, then licked his lips, taking a fortifying breath. He leaned fractionally closer, watching the faint widening of slit pupils.

“I’m flirting with you.” Sakumo said helpfully, his voice low. “If you would rather I not, which is what I was beginning to assume, I will go away and not bother you again, but-”

He fell silent as one elegant hand covered his own on the bar, eyes widening and head coming up a little, hopeful. Orochimaru tilted his head slightly, one of the long locks framing his face falling across his sharp cheekbone and jaw.

“You,” Orochimaru paused, licking his thin lips, his fingers curling slightly over Sakumo’s hand, making his breath catch, “are flirting . . . with me?”

“I think you’re gorgeous and brilliant and amazing,” Sakumo said truthfully, “I have honestly been assuming no one else was either because you turned them down or because you’re so intimidating they didn’t dare.”

Orochimaru blinked, then smiled, almost a smirk, and laughed, low and rich. “Is that so?”

“Well,” Sakumo said playfully, leaning closer again, “you are . . . maybe a little terrifying.”

Orochimaru laughed again, his eyes all but sparkling.

“Also you seem like you’d have high standards. I could see you sending away every suitor to come your way.” Sakumo said, swallowing.

“And you think you could meet them?” Orochimaru asked, arching a brow.

Sakumo bit back his first thought, which was a true Hatake treasures their mate like nothing else, and you are a wonder, and smiled. “I’m not too afraid to try.” he said simply.

“Evidently not.” Orochimaru said, trailing a fingertip over the back of Sakumo’s hand and up his wrist. “Please do.” he added, and it took a moment for Sakumo to realise the invitation he had been offered, his heart leaping.

“It would be my pleasure.”

Chapter 13: Nighttime Contentment

Chapter Text

Orochimaru paused in the doorway, hands raised to unpin his hair after his bath, and smiled as warmth bloomed in his chest.

Sakumo lay in their bed, clad only in a pair of loose pants, his hair a wild tumble around his shoulders. Kakashi rested on his chest, face down and knees tucked up, one little hand tangled in his father’s hair. One of Sakumo’s hands rested on his back, and he was making soft contented sounds from time to time in his sleep.

Sakumo seemed to be asleep himself as well, or at least much of the way there. His eyes were closed and his breathing deep and even. Each slow breath carried Kakashi up and down, the gentle rise and fall probably soothing his sleep.

Taking a deep breath, his heart aching with love, Orochimaru continued out of the doorway and closed the door quietly behind himself. He moved to the bureau to set aside his hairpins, then put out the one light Sakumo had left for him. Eyes adjusting quickly to the dark, he made his way carefully to the bed and took his place beside his mate.

He stretched out on his side and gently stroked his son’s back, his smile lingering, before letting his hand come to rest against Sakumo’s side as he closed his eyes.

Chapter 14: Training and Students

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru looked up at the knock on the door. “Come in.” He smiled as Kakashi’s tousled head poked around the door. “Come in, little one.” he repeated, amused.

Kakashi grinned and obeyed, closing the door quietly behind himself. He crossed the room towards Orochimaru, peering at his worktable without coming too close. “It’s safe.” Orochimaru teased, and Kakashi wrinkled his nose but hopped up to sit on the edge of the table out of the way. “What brings you here?” he asked, making notes as he shifted the beaker again, watching the swirl of the not intermixed contents.

“Sensei called off early today.” Kakashi said, shrugging. “I thought I’d see if you were busy.”

“Mm. Moderately.” Orochimaru said, frowning at the dull glow the beaker was emitting when disturbed. While the failure to blend had been, this he hadn’t anticipated. “Not too much for you, though.” he added, flicking a glance at his son.

Kakashi grinned again.

Orochimaru eyed his work. “Perhaps you and I can go out and spend some time training . . . as soon as I finish this.” he suggested.

“Really?” Kakashi asked, perking up.

“If you like.” Orochimaru confirmed fondly. Kakashi made a soft contented sound in his throat, just a little more whispery than when his father did the same.

“Mama?” Kakashi asked after a few minutes. Orochimaru hummed acknowledgement, neatly labelling a new vial for an offshoot. “I heard a couple of the others talking to Minato-sensei. . . Is it true you’re going to be a jounin-sensei too?”

Orochimaru lifted his head, blinking. “Ah. . . They- I was asked, yes.” he said, frowning slightly. “I haven’t . . . officially decided, yet.” He looked at his son carefully. “What do you think about that?”

Kakashi tipped his head, making a considering sound, his eyes narrowing. “I think you’re a good teacher, Mama. But most of the genin are so slow.” He sighed.

Orochimaru hid a smile. “True. Perhaps if I take on a team of them I can fix that.” he suggested, storing the glassware back in the seal-covered cabinet. Kakashi shrugged. “I am thinking I will try.” he admitted, watching for Kakashi’s reaction.

“I hope it goes well.” Kakashi said, hopping off the table. “Are you ready, Mama?” he asked, drawn up and tense.

Orochimaru brushed a hand along his cheek. “Mm. . . Perhaps.” he said.

Then he used a flicker to flee his workroom, with a surprised cry not unlike a bark following him as he laughed. Kakashi was chasing after him almost immediately, though, and Orochimaru ducked aside and caught him by the scruff. He had to dodge a rather well-aimed blow with a swiftly-drawn kunai before a sharp hiss quelled his son.

“Training ground thirty-seven?” Orochimaru suggested, and Kakashi made a face, but nodded.

Notes:

. . .Sakumo will return more properly in tomorrow's update. Sorry wolf.

Chapter 15: Deception Begins (wolf & hime)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“It seems we have all but arrived.” Sakumo observed, peeking out of the carriage as they were stopped at the gates. “Are you ready, hime?” he asked, turning away again.

Orochimaru gave him a sardonic look. “Certainly.” he said, reaching up to smooth one of the free locks of his hair, not that it needed it. “Are you, wolf?” he returned quietly.

Sakumo shrugged. “I’ll do my best.” he said, mouth twisting. “Not really my usual hunt.”

Orochimaru’s lips twitched. “I’ll look out for you.” he said silkily, and Sakumo grinned.

“Thank you.” The carriage rolled to a stop again, and this time Sakumo could hear the guards and servants talking and moving about. “I’ll try not to cause you any problems.” Sakumo promised, and checked himself nervously for anything out of place.

Orochimaru’s hands brushed his own aside as he was neatening his haori, smoothing it down for him and then moving up to his hair, neatening it and tucking a few strands back into place. Sakumo breathed in, trying not to lean forwards into Orochimaru as he took in the half-familiar scent - softened with flowers, covered over with that of makeup, but still recognisable and tempting.

The door opened, and Sakumo grit his teeth at the boisterous volume of the comment aimed at the devoted and accommodating nature of his wife. Sakumo’s shoulders tensed as the lord winked at him.

A soft hiss and he looked up at Orochimaru. He arched a brow and smoothed his fingers over Sakumo’s throat out of sight of their host, making his breath catch and his heart flutter. Sakumo swallowed and stomped down his reflexive protective reaction and slipped out of the carriage, turning to offer aid to Orochimaru on his way out.

He bowed his head demurely, even his body language softer and more delicate, and stayed close to Sakumo’s side, hands on his arm. Sakumo kept his pace solicitously slow and explained his wife’s delicate state to their host as they walked.

Perhaps in deference to that, they were escorted to their chambers and left to refresh themselves before a light afternoon meal would be served in the gardens. Sakumo managed to claw on to something resembling manners he hoped were fitting for the position he pretended to, and was relieved when the door closed them away alone together again.

“You really aren’t good at this, are you?” Orochimaru asked, tugging him away from the door.

Sakumo whined softly and shook his head. “I’m sorry. It’s not the kind of. . . I forget what’s expected even among,” he flicked his fingers, meaning those in Konoha, “sometimes. To play this. . .” It wasn’t that it rankled, but it was difficult.

Orochimaru laughed softly and trailed a light caress over his jaw. “I’ll look after you, then.” he promised with an almost playful look, nudging Sakumo down into a chair. “Just be a good wolf and follow my lead.”

Chapter 16: New Children

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Orochi!”

Orochimaru pinched the bridge of his nose. Kakashi, nestled in his sling on Orochimaru’s chest, stirred with a tiny whine. Orochimaru dropped his hand to stroke his son comfortingly. “It’s all right, cubling.” he soothed, and Kakashi squirmed, opening his mouth in a yawn that showed his tiny fangs.

Orochimaru tapped his nose with a fingertip, and Kakashi blinked sleepily, grabbing onto Orochimaru’s hand and pulling it close. Orochimaru let him keep it, sighing and making his way out of his workroom and through to the front door as Jiraiya shouted for him again.

“What is it, Jiraiya?” Orochimaru asked tightly as he opened the door.

Jiraiya stepped forwards and inside, bending to look at Kakashi, who blinked and made a little burbling sound, wide eyes staring at Jiraiya. “Oh! He’s so small. Is he supposed to be so small?” Jiraiya asked, and Orochimaru scoffed, but was distracted by the three boys following Jiraiya.

The blond bowed apologetically, and the one with the Sarutobi look sidled over to stand at his shoulder. Orochimaru looked back at his old teammate, brows raised.

“I mean I suppose Tsunade would have said if there was something wrong with him, but-”

Orochimaru suppressed the urge to sigh again. “Kakashi is fine; small infants are common in my bloodline. He’s a perfectly healthy newborn. Jiraiya. . .” Orochimaru flicked a glance at the children.

“Ah! My new genin!” Jiraiya said proudly, gathering the boys with hands clapped on their shoulders, dragging all three of them in closer. “I wanted you to meet them!”

Orochimaru stiffened a little. Something else sensei had denied him, intimated he wasn’t capable of when he asked to train a genin team, now offered to Jiraiya despite his abandonment of the village and his responsibilities.

A sharp pain in his fingertip cut through his dark thoughts and Orochimaru looked down to where Kakashi was biting at his finger, tiny hands wrapping around it. Orochimaru smiled fondly at his cubling, rubbing his thumb over Kakashi’s cheek and allowing the idle gnawing to continue.

He looked up at the new genin once more. Saddled with Jiraiya for their early years as ninja. Poor things, he thought wryly, shifting the sling on his shoulder.

Notes:

. . .in case it needs mentioned, I'm aware human newborns haven't teeth yet. ;) Kakashi is a little vipercub and not quite on a baseline human developmental scale.

Chapter 17: Nuzzles and Naps

Chapter Text

Sakumo stretched out on his belly beside his cub, answering the tiny whines with soft whuffs and whines of his own. Kakashi wriggled and kicked, grasping hands extended.

Sakumo leaned over him and nuzzled his belly, smiling when he reached and grabbed Sakumo’s hair, even it was quickly followed by sharp, stinging tugs. Sakumo growled gently, nuzzling his face into Kakashi’s belly again. He wriggled and kicked, smiling and pulling at Sakumo’s hair again.

Sakumo shifted to free one arm from beneath him and reached up, smoothing his hand over Kakashi’s hair. He closed his eyes under the caress, then yawned widely, sighing.

“Sleepy, cub?” Sakumo asked softly, gently disentangling Kakashi’s fingers from his hair. It took a minute of patient tugs and unwinding; he wasn’t quite sure how his mate did it so easily, though in fairness Sakumo’s hair was wilder to begin with.

Kakashi wriggled again, opening his eyes and rubbing his face clumsily. Sakumo pushed up to his knees and scooped Kakashi up, cradling his cub to his chest as he rose and rumbling quietly as he rocked Kakashi, beginning an aimless walk around the house.

Chapter 18: Missing Mother

Notes:

I wrote this one after . . . a few factors combined to send an unwary me on a grief-stricken, sobbing spiral of missing my own mother. It was cathartic for me but I would hate to trigger someone else's sobbing jag; if loss of a parent is upsetting for you, please take care of yourself in judging whether to read or not.

I pictured Orochimaru to be about 13 here, and Sakumo 15.

Chapter Text

Orochimaru crumpled onto his knees, running his fingers over the soft purple flowers - some of the deadliest in the world, and the prettiest, and so familiar from- from mother’s garden.

They’d just saved his life, and he could hear her soft voice in his head, praising and teaching about them. Orochimaru curled up tight, sliding one hand along his face and hiding his eyes against his forearm as tears burst past his attempts to fight them.

He sobbed silently, limbs folded in so tightly his joints ached as he shuddered.

“Orochimaru? Orochimaru?”

Orochimaru flinched and curled up a tiny bit tighter, shaking.

There you are, the nukenin got away in this direction and we were afraid- Are you all right?”

Orochimaru scrubbed his sleeve against his face as subtly as he could and raised his head, nearly startling as he met concerned, mist-grey eyes very close to his own. Sakumo, who was a couple of years older than they were and-

And whose hand was very warm as he rested it on Orochimaru’s shoulder. “Did they hurt you?” he asked, his low voice gentle.

Orochimaru huffed and shook his head. “I got away. Three of them are dead.” he added fiercely, narrowing his eyes. He glanced back at the flowers and tears welled up again even as he tried to repress them. “My- My mother taught me how to use-” he broke off, clutching one of the stems in his palm until it broke. He couldn’t quite stop crying.

Sakumo wrapped him in a hug, and Orochimaru stiffened. “I’m sorry.” he said softly, rubbing Orochimaru’s back.

“I wasn’t scared.” Orochimaru spat sharply, through his tears, his breath hitching.

“I didn’t say you were.” Sakumo said against his hair. He was. . . He was warm and solid, like Jiraiya, but his arms were gentle as he leaned close, and when Orochimaru leaned thoughtlessly into him in return, he shifted only to let Orochimaru rest against him easily, making a soft crooning noise.

“It was-” Orochimaru broke off, squirming. “My mother taught me that. I. I miss her.” he said in a tiny voice.

Sakumo crooned again, nuzzling him and hugging him tighter. Orochimaru tucked his face against Sakumo’s shoulder and let himself stop fighting the losing battle against his tears.

Chapter 19: Mission Restlessness (wolf & hime)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Placing a piece on the board, Sakumo waved off another comment about his devotion to his wife with a weak laugh, and wondered again what the hell was wrong with people that this was worthy of jesting comment. Why was loyalty to a mate strange? It jangled at his nerves, much as the same attitudes did back home in Konoha.

He stifled the urge to fidget and smiled at his opponent across the shogi board. He glanced out at the garden, where Orochimaru sat under the shade of a flowering tree with one of the visiting young hime, a few musicians nearby playing for their pleasure.

He wondered how long this mission would stretch out before they had what they had been sent for, and how long they could continue in the vein they had begun. It really wasn’t at all Sakumo’s usual type of assignment, and he suspected he was proving about as unskilled at it as he had always assumed he would.

“Satoru!”

Sakumo lifted his head, smiling reflexively. Though not widely enough to show his fangs, awkward and strange.

“You really are smitten with that pretty wife of yours, aren’t you?” It was a gentler jest this time, almost understanding. “Of course, your lady is quite the figure, I suppose I can’t blame you for being possessive!”

Sakumo dipped his head in implied agreement, though it grated. That was. . . He sighed and picked up his place in the conversation, gently nudging it in the direction of the negotiations he’d heard mentioned and was curious about as he made another move, carefully careless.

The information wasn’t directly part of why they were here, but if Sakumo could find out more . . . well, more information was never bad, and he had heard enough to give him some concerns.

Chapter 20: Tease

Chapter Text

Sakumo whimpered and writhed, head thrown back and fingers clenched in the thick fabric of the futon. Orochimaru kissed his belly, stroking one muscular thigh with a light touch and smiling faintly as it trembled beneath his fingers.

“Want something, wolf?” Orochimaru teased, letting his breath ghost over Sakumo’s skin, following it with a nuzzling caress.

“Mate. . . Please-” Sakumo whined, hips rocking shallowly.

Orochimaru hummed, squeezing Sakumo’s thigh and raising his head, watching his mate’s reactions as he began to move his fingers again. Sakumo’s body tightened around them, and Orochimaru twisted gently, rubbing the tips over Sakumo’s prostate and making him cry out, a broken little thing that was hardly a howl at all.

His cock twitched, more precome welling up and dripping down the shaft.

Orochimaru pushed his fingers deeper, rocking them gently with the arch of Sakumo’s body, but quickly returned to focus on his prostate. Sakumo whimpered and spread his thighs wider. Orochimaru could just hear the sound of the fabric straining in his mate’s grip, and it made his lips twitch as he suppressed a laugh.

He dipped his head and licked up the sticky-slick length of Sakumo’s cock, not lingering as he passed over the swell of Sakumo’s burgeoning knot. His hips jerked and as they came down Orochimaru pressed inside him more firmly.

This time the howl was louder, stronger. It echoed painfully in their bedroom, even if it was nowhere near as loud as Sakumo could be. Orochimaru didn’t hesitate to continue pleasuring him, pushing Sakumo harder, keeping the touch of his fingers gentle but firm, but he hoped his mate would maintain enough sense not to get any louder.

He stroked up and down Sakumo’s thigh with his free hand, watching his mate’s face, and circled his fingertips around Sakumo’s prostate before rubbing directly against it once more.

“Orochimaru. . .” Sakumo nearly keened, tossing his head, panting for breath.

“I have you, wolf.” Orochimaru murmured, kissing Sakumo’s hip and rubbing more firmly inside him.

“Want you-” Sakumo broke off with a groan, jerking.

Orochimaru smiled and petted his hip, speeding the rhythm of his stroking just a little, watching the trembles race through Sakumo’s body. He brought his free hand to Sakumo’s cock, sliding firmly down the shaft before curling his fingers around the swelling knot and squeezing.

Sakumo’s head slammed back again and he let out a sharp, muted little bark as Orochimaru’s fingers rocked firmly over his prostate and rhythmically squeezed and stroked his knot. He bucked shallowly and cried out, long and breathy, as semen spurted across his belly, his knot swelling and growing firmer in Orochimaru’s grip and his muscles tightening around Orochimaru’s fingers.

He eased his mate through it with patient pleasure, watching him shiver and pant, beautifully mussed and laid out beneath Orochimaru.

“I wanted,” Sakumo finally said, still breathless, as Orochimaru gently withdrew his fingers, “you to fuck me.”

Orochimaru laughed, moving up over him and claiming a soft kiss. “You can still have that, too.” he promised, and nuzzled Sakumo’s cheek. “I was enjoying myself.”

Chapter 21: Early Morning Visit

Chapter Text

“Get off me!”

“I think your snakelet is here.” Sakumo said thickly, turning over and shifting further down the bed to let him hide his face in Orochimaru’s chest. The move also neatly prevented him from rising, even if he had particularly wanted to do so.

“I told her to meet me mid-morning.” Orochimaru said, refusing to open his eyes. He curled an arm around Sakumo, smiling faintly at the low rumble of pleasure that thrummed through him from his mate. “And at my lab, not here.”

“But I want-” A slam cut off the words.

“I’m not sure she’s here for you.” Sakumo observed, slightly muffled but still warm with amusement.

Orochimaru petted his mate’s back. “Perhaps not.” He hummed. “I leave it up to Kakashi.” he said wryly, listening to the . . . perhaps less than restful sounds of the two children running around the house.

“I’m sure he’ll thank you for that.” Sakumo said, his voice even but his lips twitching against Orochimaru’s skin.

“Good for them.” Orochimaru observed sleepily. Besides, if Kakashi had really minded Anko’s tagging along after him he would have found a way to make her stop.

Probably.

Anko was a stubborn little thing, and she’d been quite fond of Kakashi before she had the excuse for her presence that she was Orochimaru’s student. Still, she wasn’t as fast as Kakashi, he could slip her when he tried.

Orochimaru dozed off again to the slightly fainter sounds of the children outside in the garden, possibly sparring. He was reasonably confident they weren’t seriously attempting harm on one another, and that each would be in one piece when he and Sakumo rose. Later.

Chapter 22: Fault (averting Sakumo's suicide)

Chapter Text

“Mama?” Kakashi said shakily from his side.

Sakumo!” Orochimaru all but snarled, and Sakumo startled, fingers slipping on his tanto as his head snapped up.

“Ma- Kakashi. . . Orochimaru. . .” Sakumo lowered his head again, looking away, sagging a little.

Orochimaru’s jaw tightened as his eyes strayed over the blade his mate still held so close, and he petted Kakashi’s head lightly. His stomach was a mass of knots as he calculated what would have happened if Kakashi hadn’t been so worried - so perceptive - if he hadn’t come for Orochimaru . . . if Orochimaru had refused to come home or even simply delayed. . .

“Kakashi, would you go and see to a pot of tea?” Orochimaru asked gently, and Kakashi looked up at him, then at Sakumo.

He hesitated, but nodded. “Yes- Yes Mama.” He shifted from foot to foot, then trotted off.

Orochimaru strode into the room, reaching down to grab Sakumo’s collar and pulling the tanto from his mate’s hands, throwing it across the room as he hauled Sakumo backwards until he was sprawling. “What the bloody fuck do you think you’re doing?” he demanded, glaring down at Sakumo.

“I- Mate, I was. . .” Sakumo shifted uncomfortably. “It’s my fault. The- I had to . . . make up for it. The only honourable way I can. To spare you and Kakashi being dragged down with me. . .”

Orochimaru hissed angrily and moved closer, shoving Sakumo lightly and dropping down to kneel across his thighs. “Spare us?” he demanded, cupping Sakumo’s face. “If we lost you, wolf-heart-” Orochimaru swallowed hard, letting his brow rest against his mate’s. “You would spare us nothing. Kakashi needs his father, and I. . .”

“You never need anything so much you cannot do without it, lovely.” Sakumo said softly, his hands lightly settling on Orochimaru’s hips. “You would take care of our cub, too. He’d- He’d be all right.”

He resisted the urge to bite his mate. He did want Sakumo alive. “I need you. I love you.” Orochimaru said roughly. “We could not do without you.”

Sakumo met his gaze with a sad expression.

What is ‘your fault’?” Orochimaru questioned, moving on, knowing it would take longer to shift Sakumo on that. He listened as Sakumo spilled his reasons with slowly-mounting fury; he had known of Sakumo’s mission, of course, and his choice - had been unsurprised, had even expected Sarutobi-sensei to praise him for it - but somehow. . .

“I am sorry I have not been here.” Orochimaru said, resolving to reshuffle his work and also leave that Danzo had delegated to him for someone else. Danzo could take it up himself for once for all Orochimaru cared. “And this. . . You know it is not right. You know the unwritten rules of our village. You chose rightly, wolf.”

Sakumo opened his mouth, then closed it with a soft, choked sound.

“We’re always s’posed to put comrades first. . .” Kakashi said confusedly from the doorway, holding a tea tray. “Even sensei says so.”

Sakumo whimpered, and Orochimaru kissed his brow. He beckoned Kakashi close as well, and their son obeyed with alacrity, setting down the tea and darting to them. Orochimaru shifted to cradle both mate and son close, and resolved silently to find out what had turned Konoha so swiftly and so harshly against one of her best-loved war heroes.

Chapter 23: Why?

Chapter Text

Sakumo’s movements slowed unconsciously as he watched his sparring partner wrap up from their session. A few cooldown stretches, packing away tools - as Sakumo had been doing - and now, winding the fall of his hair up and off his long, slender neck. . .

“I have a question for you, wolf.” Orochimaru said, turning a little as he pinned his hair neatly into a bun. Sakumo jolted, trying to seem as though he’d still been slotting his weapons neatly back into their places, and not staring.

“Of course.” Sakumo nodded. “What, ah, what is it?”

Orochimaru lowered his hands and took a step closer to Sakumo, golden eyes sweeping over him as though assessing. Sakumo licked his lips and fought not to fidget.

“Why,” Orochimaru began, tilting his head slightly, “haven’t you kissed me yet?”

“I’m-” Sakumo stumbled over his words. “I- What?” he said weakly.

Orochimaru smiled slightly, but his eyes were a bit too wide and he was hiding his hands in his sleeves. “Didn’t you hear me, wolf?” he asked, arching his brows. “I want an answer.” He lifted his jaw a fraction higher.

Sakumo opened his mouth, then closed it silently. He licked his lips.

“Would. . . Would you accept a kiss?” he asked hopefully, still faintly stunned that Orochimaru had raised the question.

Orochimaru tilted his head just a little, and had his hair still been down it would have concealed part of his expression, but as it was . . . Sakumo could see the tiny quirk tugging at his lips, and the softening around his eyes.

“I’ve been waiting.” Orochimaru said softly.

Sakumo dropped his pouch with a muted clank and darted the few paces to Orochimaru. He startled, leaning back slightly, and Sakumo smiled, reaching up for his face. He stayed still, and Sakumo stroked his cheek, then dipped his head to brush Orochimaru’s thin lips with a soft kiss.

He made a wanting sound in his throat as Sakumo pulled back after no more contact than that, and Sakumo - shivering and barely containing his own whine - smiled and kissed him again, lingering this time. Orochimaru’s elegant hands slid up under his flak vest, and Orochimaru’s mouth firmed against his, almost teasing as he leaned closer to Sakumo.

Chapter 24: Rescuer

Chapter Text

“He’ll be all right.” Hama said, bowing her head slightly to Sakumo. “A bit chilled yet, but there was no damage done, he only needs to rest. A last few checks to be safe and you can take him home tonight, provided he remains in this condition.”

“Thank you!” Sakumo said, voice rough, and dragged Orochimaru in tight to his chest in what proved, to his shock, to be a rather crushing hug.

“I-” Orochimaru faltered. “I am pleased that he will be all right.” he said vaguely.

Sakumo heaved a shuddering breath, almost clinging. He was- He was warm, solid but not without comfortable allowance for Orochimaru to breathe and move. People- No one touched Orochimaru, not like this - not any more. His teammates long gone, Orochimaru’s only physical contact now was in spars or battles, or occasionally another hand passing him something in the lab.

“Thank you.” Sakumo said again, softer, against Orochimaru’s neck, shaking.

Orochimaru reached up to rest a hand on his back, a half-remembered gesture from when there had been people who willingly reached out to Orochimaru, who wanted to touch him, would accept his touch in return. Sakumo steadied a little under the touch, and Orochimaru relaxed slightly, relieved.

“Whatever happened?” Hama asked, and Sakumo twisted to look at her without actually releasing Orochimaru.

“Orochimaru found him.” Sakumo said, voice thick with gratitude. “I don’t know how he got out there - or why, he never even tries to leave our garden without me or at least one of the wolves taking him. . . If he’d been with one of them he would have been fine. . .”

Alone in the snow, however, the child had gotten lost and dangerously cold. Orochimaru had only found him due to curiosity at the tiny, flickering chakra signature he’d sensed when passing on his way from his favoured training ground to his home. He hated the cold, he very well might have bypassed the little point, on any normal day.

“It is very lucky, then, that Orochimaru-sama was nearby.” Hama said, flicking a glance to him, not quite warm but - as several of those who had worked with Tsunade usually were towards him - a little less distant or distrustful than most. Then she turned and walked back down the corridor, presumably to where they had the smaller Hatake hidden away.

“It is. You saved my cub, Orochimaru, I-” Sakumo finally released him, stepping back, though one hand lingered on Orochimaru’s arm. “Kakashi is-”

“I am pleased that I could assist.” Orochimaru said awkwardly. “You do not need to thank me. Any more.”

“Will you at least let me make you dinner? Kakashi will probably want to thank you himself.” Sakumo almost wheedled, squeezing Orochimaru’s arm. It was such a small point of contact, but it fogged his focus, and before he quite realised it he had agreed and been favoured with Sakumo’s brilliant grin once more.

Orochimaru swallowed and hurriedly took his leave as an iryou-nin came to bring Sakumo to his son.

Chapter 25: Most Lovely

Chapter Text

Sakumo stopped barely through the doorway, eyes lighting on the graceful movement as Orochimaru, back to the door, began unwinding his obi knot. Continuing into the bedroom, Sakumo slid the door closed behind himself, watching his mate set aside the obi, then open his yukata.

Sakumo watched the slide of dull blue fabric down over stark white skin, revealing sleek, angular shoulders, then the length of a lean, muscular back. His eyes slid down Orochimaru’s body as he let it fall lower, baring the whole of his back. He twisted fluidly as it passed his hips, the fabric sweeping from where it was caught around his hands, and draped the yukata over the waiting bureau.

“Something preoccupying you, wolf?” Orochimaru asked, tilting his head and meeting Sakumo’s gaze with a sly little smile, eyes gleaming.

Sakumo smiled. “Always.” he agreed easily. “Appreciating.” he added honestly, pacing across the bedroom towards his mate. Orochimaru shifted his weight, turning his head and allowing Sakumo to approach at his back without watching.

Sakumo slid his hands over Orochimaru’s slim hips, rumbling with pleasure as he stepped backwards into Sakumo’s body, leaning into his hold.

“Still and always,” Sakumo said, dipping his head to nuzzle the thin, tough curve of a tendon leading up into Orochimaru’s throat, “simply the loveliest thing, my mate.” he crooned, nipping the bared curve of Orochimaru’s nape as he shivered, hissing softly.

Chapter 26: Comfortable Cover (wolf & hime)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Are you sure?” Sakumo asked, focusing on the news Orochimaru had, though the feeling of him, strong and lean and pliant, between Sakumo and the wall, was . . . tempting.

“As sure as I can be without the background Jiraiya has.” Orochimaru said softly, unoffended by the question. “It’s enough.”

“All right.” Sakumo’s shoulders eased a little, and Orochimaru laughed softly, smoothing a hand over one of them. Sakumo swallowed, meeting Orochimaru’s gaze. He smirked, a knowing, predatory look lighting in the pretty gold eyes. “We- We can work on getting out-”

He broke off, moving a little closer to Orochimaru, as he caught the sound of approaching footsteps.

“Ah, now I see why you’ve been late, Satoru!” their host cried boisterously, grinning, and Sakumo coughed quietly. “Here we wondered if you’d gotten lost.” he teased.

Orochimaru slid a hand over Sakumo’s stomach, leaning close to him with a shy dip of his head behind Sakumo’s shoulder. Sakumo wrapped an arm around Orochimaru protectively even as he stepped further away from the wall. “Only in my lovely wife’s eyes.” Sakumo said lightly, provoking a laugh and another friendly jest as they were led through for dinner.

Sakumo looked down at Orochimaru, meeting those sharp golden eyes once more.

Orochimaru arched a brow, then curled into Sakumo’s side. “Soon.” he breathed, lingering up against Sakumo for long moments before withdrawing to a more polite distance for being in company.

Sakumo’s nose was still full of his scent, and the sense-memory of his body held so close lingered.

It was . . . probably good their mission was coming to an end for more than one reason. Sakumo couldn’t regret it, he’d be glad to get out of this role that hardly fit him . . . but he would miss his partner when it was over; they rarely worked together and Sakumo would have little reason to be around Orochimaru any longer after it was done.

He eyed Orochimaru carefully as he helped his ‘wife’ to settle on a cushion at the table, and Orochimaru smiled, fingertips dragging subtly over his inner forearm.

Chapter 27: Caution

Chapter Text

“Wolf,” Orochimaru said, voice low, lips curling with fondness he would certainly have felt for no one else in this situation, “I am not delicate.” He reached up and slid a hand over Sakumo’s shoulder, brushing his hair and hooking behind his neck, tugging him down.

Sakumo huffed, shaking his head and nuzzling Orochimaru’s forearm as he let himself be pulled in and down. “I know that, my lovely.” he said, voice a low rumble.

The tension in Orochimaru’s belly coiled a little tighter, a waiting viper, and he felt a shivery warm flush of anticipation. “You don’t have to be so careful with me, then.” he reminded, with a flick of an eyebrow, half-smirking. “This isn’t my first time.”

Sakumo shivered, eyes skating down Orochimaru’s body where his yukata was pushed open. A light touch followed, callused fingertips brushing over his ribs as Sakumo lowered himself, still wearing his pants, damn the wolf, and-

“It is mine.” Sakumo said, bowing his head to nuzzle Orochimaru’s jaw. He stilled, eyes widening, even as Sakumo moved down, nuzzling and kissing over Orochimaru’s collarbone and onto his chest.

“. . .Sakumo?” Orochimaru questioned, and Sakumo angled a look up at him without moving, giving a soft hum. He opened his mouth, then closed it with a faint shake of his head, brushing Sakumo’s cheek in a light caress that made him smile, growling softly.

Sakumo caught his hand and kissed his palm, then nipped the meat of his thumb gently, one fang scraping the knob of bone leading up into his wrist.

“A wolf wants for a mate, lovely,” Sakumo said, voice low, “I haven’t wanted anyone until you.”

Orochimaru fought the ridiculous flutter of pleasure that gave him, running his fingers through Sakumo’s hair. He shifted, sliding his legs to frame Sakumo’s hips and further down, resting alongside his own.

“Then have me, wolf.” Orochimaru said softly, tilting his head a little and baring his throat in invitation.

Chapter 28: Morning Decisions

Chapter Text

Sakumo hesitated at the door, and Orochimaru shifted his weight, setting down the flask in one hand and beckoning over his shoulder. Sakumo came nearer on silent feet, dropping a nuzzling kiss to his shoulder, and Orochimaru hummed, pleased.

“I’m heading out to meet Dan.” Sakumo said lightly as he raised his head. “I should be back in time to make dinner. Especially if you plan to work in here all day.” he added with a soft laugh.

Orochimaru glanced sideways at his mate’s affectionate, infectious smile. He shook his head slightly and dropped his gaze to Kakashi, held in his father’s arms and peeking curiously at Orochimaru’s table. “Are you taking Kakashi with you?”

“I was going to.” Sakumo said, shifting a little and shifting Kakashi a little higher. “I know you’re busy today. He’ll be all right with us.”

“Mm.” Orochimaru cleaned his fingers on a waiting cloth damp with alcohol, waited a few moments for them to dry, and reached out to their son. Kakashi made a curious sound, wrinkling his nose as he sniffed Orochimaru’s fingers before snuggling his cheek into the light touch. “Nothing too dangerous planned for today, he can stay with me. You’ve kept him while training most days recently.”

Sakumo hummed. “If you like.” he agreed easily. “Kakashi?”

The cub yipped as Orochimaru dropped his hand again, looking up at his father, and Orochimaru felt as though his heart was turning over in his chest as he watched them.

“Do you want to stay with Mama today, or come with Dad?” Sakumo asked, ruffling Kakashi’s hair and rumbling soothingly when he squirmed.

“Mama!” Kakashi said, leaning backwards out of Sakumo’s arms and reaching for Orochimaru.

Orochimaru smiled at him, taking him from his father’s supportive hold. “Hello my cubling.” he crooned, shifting Kakashi to rest against his side and stroking his son’s cheek. He looked up at Sakumo again, meeting fond, warm eyes.

“Do you want help to get him into the sling?” Sakumo asked, reaching behind himself to produce the dark blue fabric. “Before I head out?”

Orochimaru shook his head. “He can roam for a bit. Until it’s time for a nap, perhaps.” he added, bouncing Kakashi absently. “Have a good day.”

“You too, lovely.” Sakumo kissed his cheek, then bent and kissed Kakashi’s brow. “And you, cub.”

Kakashi licked his chin and whined softly. Sakumo smiled and moved away, and Kakashi waved. “Ja mata, Dad!”

“Ja mata!” Sakumo called back from the main room, and Orochimaru hummed, bouncing Kakashi again as he looked down at his son. Kakashi grinned back up at him.

Chapter 29: (Off the) Battlefield

Chapter Text

“Orochimaru!” Sakumo lunged, catching Orochimaru around the ribs and narrowly avoiding catching Kusanagi to the throat.

Orochimaru swept his sword aside, eyes wide and heartrate jumping, and Sakumo didn’t ease his tight hold, but he kept the kiss he pressed on his mate soft. He dragged it out for a long moments, then slid away and nuzzled Orochimaru’s face, still holding him close enough to feel his mate’s heartbeat against his chest. “I love you.” he said quietly, and Orochimaru made a soft sound that didn’t quite escape his throat.

Sakumo kissed him again, harder this time, and Orochimaru leaned into him, mouth meeting his eagerly, one arm creeping around Sakumo’s back. His sharp teeth scraped at Sakumo’s lip and provided a teasing prickle against his tongue, and Sakumo growled softly, tightening his grip on his mate.

“Really, you too? Can’t even wait to get off the battlefield?” Dan asked dryly, though he was grinning when Sakumo managed a glance in his direction.

“We are off it.” Orochimaru observed, waving Kusanagi in a slow sweep. “The battlefield is over there.”

It was about six steps away, granted, Sakumo thought as he nuzzled Orochimaru’s neck, scenting his mate - blood and sweat and death and venom and a spicy, metallic tang - and biting gently at his sharp jaw. They were off it, though, he supposed. Technically.

“Besides,” Sakumo said, tilting his head to look back at Dan without removing himself from his mate, nose nestled close against Orochimaru’s cheek, “are you sure you want to try and judge me? I’ve seen your reunions.”

Dan opened his mouth, then closed it and crossed his arms. Orochimaru laughed softly in his ear, and Sakumo turned to steal another kiss from his mate’s smiling mouth.

Chapter 30: Hands

Chapter Text

Orochimaru stiffened slightly as warm skin brushed his own yet again, sliding a glance sideways. It wasn’t the thoughtless impact of Jiraiya when he was distracted - or the harsher, but still friendly, thump when he was jesting with Orochimaru - nor the gentle bump of Tsunade being companionable.

It was . . . barely there, easy to disregard the soft touches, but they kept coming.

Sakumo tilted his head and looked at Orochimaru, wearing a slight, friendly smile and raising his brows curiously. Orochimaru’s eyes narrowed, but he didn’t speak.

Sakumo’s hand brushed his again as they walked, light but unmistakable, and Orochimaru seized his wrist in a tight grip - he had considered a kunai, but it felt obvious . . . and perhaps too unfriendly. Orochimaru wanted the- the teasing, thoughtless or not, to stop, but Sakumo was a comrade and they were in a street in their home village.

Orochimaru stopped short, almost stumbling, as Sakumo’s arm flexed in his grip, then twisted free, but only by enough to get his hand to Orochimaru’s. He clasped Orochimaru’s hand gently, thumb rubbing over Orochimaru’s knuckles, smiling with stormy eyes that had gone rather . . . warm.

Sakumo brought their clasped hands up as Orochimaru did stop, turning to face him, and bowed his head over Orochimaru’s hand, stopping just shy of making contact with his lips. Orochimaru could feel his breath before he slowly lowered their hands and loosened his grip.

“My apologies,” Sakumo said quietly, “I didn’t mean to . . . impose unwanted.”

Orochimaru swallowed. “Who said you were?” he asked, stiff and wary, spine prickling. He could hear Jiraiya calling for them, now, some way on ahead, and Dan and Tsunade in response trying to either quiet him or tug him onwards, but he ignored them as Sakumo’s face lit up.

“Is that so?” Sakumo said, giving a slow smile. “If that is the case. . .” He stroked Orochimaru’s hand again and this time when he brought it up he did kiss it, warm and not quite fleeting. “I would love to impose further. If you would allow it.”

Orochimaru tensed further, and Sakumo made a tiny pleading noise, his head dipping and shoulders tensing as he shifted slightly.

Orochimaru’s eyes dropped to their hands, and he . . . considered. He gently squeezed Sakumo’s hand, then twined their fingers lightly, the pad of his thumb brushing over Sakumo’s battered knuckles.

He stiffened, head coming up again and eyes lighting hopefully.

Chapter 31: Lazy Morning

Notes:

This brings me to the end of my original 'every day in May' posting . . . but I've been writing. I'll be posting a Coil and Croon minific every day through June as well.

Chapter Text

Orochimaru woke with a lazy arch of his entire body, his mind fuzzy and warm. It took him a few minutes to filter close enough to consciousness to think in more than lazy pleased sounds, and then to identify the soft sensation across his shoulders and neck.

Kisses. Warm wolf kisses. Orochimaru stretched lazily once more, slowly tensing and extending every muscle and letting them go lax again. Sakumo rumbled against his shoulder and came nearer, settling heavy and warm over Orochimaru’s back.

He reached for his mate’s arm, tugging gently as he shifted just enough to feel Sakumo’s relaxed body pressing him down, then went still. Eyes closed, he basked in the warmth and weight of his mate holding him in place, pleasantly compressed.

Sakumo groaned, soft and sleepy, and pressed his nose and mouth against Orochimaru’s neck, so firmly that Orochimaru was left vaguely amused and wondering if he could breathe properly. Not that he seemed uncomfortable, or, indeed, at all willing to remove himself.

Orochimaru wriggled beneath him, stretching one leg and bending it just enough to hook his foot over Sakumo’s ankle. He hummed contentedly and drifted back to sleep with his mate snuffling at his throat.

Chapter 32: Vipercub

Chapter Text

Sakumo paced through the open shoji out onto the engawa, following the sound of Kakashi playing in the garden. He paused, cocking his head. His mate lounged near the edge of the engawa, legs dangling off towards the ground, a snake as thick as his bicep stretched along the boards and curved close to his hips.

Sakumo glanced out at his cub, smiling slightly as Kakashi determinedly stalked a bullfrog through the grass, little face drawn with concentration. Sakumo turned back to his mate, focused on whatever he was reading, then flared and cycled his chakra, shedding his own shape for the wolfshape that was granted to all his clan through their long shared blood and brotherhood with their summons.

All his clan thus far. It was a . . . question, yet, for Kakashi. He wasn’t the first halfblood Hatake to be born, by far, of course, but while he took strongly and obviously after Sakumo, his mother’s rather serpentine blood ran thick in his veins as well. There was no telling whether he would ever show a wolfshape of his own, or if his mother’s blood would change it somehow, or if he would simply never shift shape at all.

Though certainly Kakashi had the love of the wolves that Sakumo and all his now-lost clan had, and his love for Orochimaru’s snakes - and their rather odd, cool yet doting manner with him - did nothing to lessen that.

Sakumo sighed and shook himself, then padded quietly to his mate, pressing his muzzle to Orochimaru’s cheek and making him hiss softly, slanting a lazily warm look Sakumo’s way. Sakumo’s tail wagged and he rumbled softly before pulling away. He lowered his head and scooped the serpent lying near his mate up in his jaws.

The snake hissed in a far less friendly tone, tensing, but didn’t thrash against his careful hold, and Sakumo deposited it around Orochimaru’s shoulders instead. It shifted, thick muscles bunching, and settled itself there with general equanimity.

Sakumo flopped down just behind Orochimaru himself, sliding onto his side and stretching a little, letting his paws splay out and his tail thump the wood in another brief wag. Orochimaru looked over his shoulder and the snake’s thick body, then shifted himself, tucking his feet up and leaning back, lounging against Sakumo’s ribs and shoulder. Sakumo rumbled happily, shifting just enough to make himself more comfortable to lie against.

He closed his eyes, lazy and content to sprawl where he was, his mate a solid presence against him. He didn’t quite doze, but it was, if anything, easier to relax and do nothing save be when in his wolfshape.

“Darling.” Orochimaru said suddenly, insistent, and Sakumo groaned, flicking an ear and cracking an eye open. Orochimaru glanced down at him and shoved his shoulder. “Sakumo.” he said, voice sharp.

Sakumo grumbled, but lifted his head, and-

Sakumo lunged to his feet, and would have thrown his mate off and possibly to the ground with the movement if Orochimaru hadn’t already been bolt upright. He threw himself off the engawa, a few short bounds bringing him to his cub’s side.

Kakashi lolled sideways, pointed and slightly floppy ears perking, and raised his blunt muzzle with a short, sharp yip. He grinned, tongue peeking out, spikily fluffed tail wagging. Sakumo lowered his head and nuzzled his cub’s head and shoulders, scenting him and just . . . touching him.

“A proper wolfcub after all, it seems.” Orochimaru said, and Sakumo glanced at his approaching mate sheepishly. Orochimaru smiled and stroked his shoulder, then went to his knees by Kakashi, scooping their cub into his arms and garnering no protest. “Just like your father, mm?” he crooned, stroking Kakashi’s head as his tail wagged harder.

Chapter 33: Priorities

Chapter Text

Danzo eyed the Hatake house with some disfavour. The last time he had been here it had been . . . uncomfortable. That was many years ago however - and Sakumo’s aunt, the Clan Head who had so discomfited him when young, was long dead.

He made his way up to the house and knocked without allowing himself to hesitate. He waited, gradually growing impatient. Shinobi shouldn’t take so long to respond.

Orochimaru opened the door and looked down at Danzo with a flat expression. Fortunately he hadn’t expected more than the minimum of cool hospitality from the inhospitable Snake Sannin, and he responded by being direct. “I’ve come to ask when you can begin work with me, as we agreed; the next phase of experiments is waiting for a talent like yours.”

They hadn’t agreed, though Orochimaru had all but, being visibly intrigued by the tidbits Danzo had shared of the work he would be needed to assist with - to run. “They are on hold,” Danzo flattered, “until you can take them over.”

“What?” Orochimaru asked distractedly.

Danzo smothered irritation and reminded him more practically of the discussion they’d had before about Root and the experiments he had just waiting for a more experienced hand to take over. Clever as he was, Orochimaru had . . . not been Danzo’s first choice - he was, perhaps, too clever, and too willing to bite the hand that provided, to turn on the village that had reared him and made him strong. Danzo would have to watch him every moment; trusting he had Orochimaru managed would be . . . unwise, for both himself and Konoha.

No, Danzo didn’t trust Orochimaru half so far as he could have stabbed the man from, but he was useful.

“I’ve been far too busy.” Orochimaru said, waving a hand almost lazily. “I won’t be assisting you.” he added, attention straying.

“We need you; the Hokage specifically-”

“Kakashi is teething and I really haven’t time. Sarutobi-sensei can make it an order or a mission if he feels my involvement is needed so pressingly.” Orochimaru said, turning partially away, looking back into the house, dismissing Danzo. “Or at least ask me himself.” he added with a snort.

“So this is it, then?” Danzo asked, sneering. “Hiruzen was right about you, then.”

Orochimaru made a distracted, dismissive sound.

“The deadliest of the Sannin . . . and you’ve turned yourself into a housewife for Hatake?” Danzo prodded, hiding his smirk. It might have become unexpectedly trickier than he had anticipated, but he was confident the lure of the experiments Root needed would bring Orochimaru’s agreement, with perhaps a little more delicate pressure brought to bear.

Orochimaru’s gaze slid back towards him, one golden eye glinting through his hair, and Danzo felt a flicker of hesitation at the disdain visible on the sharp face. Orochimaru smiled, broad and cruel, and shook his head slightly. “I have better things to do with my time, Danzo. I suggest if you need assistance so badly, you look elsewhere.” His words were even but his always-caustic chakra was beginning to rise into a choking pressure.

Summarily dismissed - not something he was accustomed to, not any longer - Danzo slunk away, seething. He glanced back once he had reached the street, and grit his teeth as he saw a toddler with a silver mop approaching Orochimaru on the engawa, and the cold, inhuman eyes soften as he crouched to meet his son, hands extended.

Chapter 34: You Are (To Me)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru tied his hair back out of the way and knelt to wash his face, ignoring the sounds of his teammates arguing behind him - it seemed they were both still alive, so he really didn’t care. In fact, at this point after the squabble over breakfast, he thought, scrubbing a bit to get the sticky remnants of whatever Jiraiya had been eating off his cheekbone, he wasn’t sure he’d care overmuch if they killed each other.

He huffed, using his sleeve to dry his face.

Orochimaru paused and ran his thumb over the neat, square characters on his inner wrist, a shiver running through him as he failed to quite hide a smile.

Precious.

He rested his palm over the characters, his heart squeezing almost painfully. Though the proof on his skin was so sweet he ached with it, he didn’t need it - Sakumo’s every action, touch, look proved it to him. Lovely, a mate is the world to a Hatake, and I am a lucky wolf to have such an incredible wonder for mine, Orochimaru remembered his mate’s words, given openly and so soon after their bond had been recognised.

He sighed as his name was called, reaching up to unbind his hair again as he rose and moved to rejoin his teammates so they could continue their journey home.


Pausing in front of the mirror, Sakumo grinned, running his fingertips over the sharp, slanting characters nestled just beneath the hollow of his throat before he tugged on his shirt and flak vest, letting them be hidden away.

He knew what he carried on his skin, even when no one else could see, and it made his steps light and his wolf’s heart sing.

Necessary.

It was a sentiment that had garnered him more than a few disbelieving or pitying looks from the few people who had seen it, but Sakumo knew they simply didn’t . . . understand.

Orochimaru needed very little, and admitted to even less - Sakumo could hardly blame him for either the caution or the chill - and the simple declaration he bore from his mate. . . Sakumo sighed, pausing at the door, his mate’s low, sharp voice echoing in his memory. I . . . need you, wolf; you belong in my life and I will not be forced to do without you. Remember that.

Sakumo hummed as he slipped out and broke into an easy run, off to meet his newly-assembled team for what should hopefully be a quick jaunt behind enemy lines.

Notes:

In case it was not clear . . . this is set in a soulmate AU world where somewhere on your body one carries the words of what one is to their soulmate/their sentiment regarding one.

Chapter 35: Farewell

Chapter Text

Sakumo pulled up short an instant before he would have led his newly-assigned team out of the camp and off on their mission, a glint in golden eyes giving him pause. He made his way instead towards the Sannin.

He nodded to Jiraiya and ran a hand up Orochimaru’s back as his mate tilted his head.

“Hug for luck, lovely?” Sakumo said lightly, and tried not to think of where his mate would be headed on his own mission so very soon.

Orochimaru sniffed, but let himself be drawn into an embrace, a comfortable and pliant curve against Sakumo’s body, arms wrapping around him in return. Sakumo took the opportunity to breathe in his mate’s scent as deeply as he could, pressing against him firmly enough to pick it up, just a little.

Orochimaru’s cheek brushed his own. “I love you,” he said, barely a breath against Sakumo’s ear, “be careful and come back safe, wolf, or so help me I will drag you back by the tail.” He tugged at Sakumo’s hair, and Sakumo swallowed a chuckle and held him tighter still.

“I love you too.” Sakumo said softly, hushed for his mate’s sake. He tipped his head as he loosened his embrace, lips dragging along Orochimaru’s jaw. “Be safe, lovely.”

Sakumo dragged himself away with one last nuzzling breath and a squeeze of his beloved mate against himself, then signalled his team and started running, fixing his mind on the mission.

Chapter 36: Hospital

Chapter Text

“Sakumo. . .”

“Hey, lovely, I’m all right. . .” Sakumo half-rasped the words, and wasn’t entirely surprised when they didn’t seem to have much of an effect on his mate. He squeezed weakly and Orochimaru caught his hand and brought it up, nuzzling a soft kiss into the palm, then nudged his arm out of the way.

Sakumo whined, confused, then settled as Orochimaru climbed up into the hospital bed at his side, squeezing into the narrow space so as not to crowd him, but all but plastering against him all the same. Sakumo whined again, softer, pleading, and Orochimaru stroked his chest and cuddled close, avoiding putting pressure against any of his injuries but eating up the remaining space between them.

Sakumo tilted his head and closed his eyes, leaning into his mate as best he could from here and sighing in relief at his presence. Orochimaru hummed soothingly, winding his body even closer, the strong, lean lines of him pressed gently against Sakumo’s own aching body.

“Shush wolf,” Orochimaru murmured, voice soft and stroking hand on Sakumo’s ribs likewise, “I’m not going anywhere. I love you.” he added, tightening his embrace just a little.

Sakumo nudged into it the little he could and kissed his mate’s face, opening his mouth to respond only to be shushed again, cool fingers brushing over his lips. “Rest, wolf.” Orochimaru scolded tenderly, the solid warmth of him shifting along Sakumo’s side.

Sighing, soothed by his mate’s presence and the effusive contact, Sakumo did.

Chapter 37: Distraction

Chapter Text

Orochimaru raised his eyes from the notes he was jotting down as a large muzzle poked over the far edge of his worktable. Noticing the look, Sakumo straightened and stood tall once more, bringing his head higher than the tabletop. He cocked his head as he met Orochimaru’s gaze.

“What are you doing?” Orochimaru asked, shifting his weight and leaning forwards against the table a little, fingers splaying over his notes.

Sakumo grinned at him and, naturally, provided no answer. A moment later he came around the table and nudged against Orochimaru, whuffing companionably. “That is not an answer.” Orochimaru said dryly, half-turning to allow him closer. He promptly knocked Orochimaru backwards into the chair waiting nearby.

“Insufferable.” Orochimaru muttered, but he was smiling and he could hear the warmth in his own voice. Sakumo’s tail wagged, ears pricked forwards, and he knew it was more than obvious to his mate as well that he was far from displeased.

That was all right; it was hardly as though he had - or would - try to seriously feign it with Sakumo.

Orochimaru dipped his head and pressed a kiss to Sakumo’s muzzle, eliciting a pleased whine and an insistent, snuggly nudge from Sakumo’s head against his belly. He caressed spiky soft fur with one hand and dropped another kiss between Sakumo’s eyes.

Sakumo sighed contentedly and lifted his head to Orochimaru’s shoulder, one foreleg draping across his lap. Orochimaru leaned into him, one arm curling around his shoulders. Orochimaru briefly contemplated the work he had been in the middle of outlining, then the wolf in his arms, and decided the former could be taken up again later as he tightened his embrace.

Chapter 38: Slow Start

Notes:

Do I have a thing for lazy morning cuddles? Maybe. (I'd say you can't prove anything but you would probably have at least a good shot.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo stirred and whined softly, reaching out as the pliant warmth of his mate pulled away. “No. . . Come back.” he coaxed even before he opened his eyes to find Orochimaru now kneeling at the edge of the futon.

Orochimaru hesitated, tipping his head, his long hair falling forwards around his face.

Sakumo whined again, a quiet pleading note, and reached one arm out a little further.

Orochimaru pushed his hair back with a graceful sweep, then moved closer, stretching out languidly and allowing Sakumo’s arms to wind around him once more. He settled into the space at Sakumo’s side comfortably, one leg sliding over Sakumo’s as he tucked in close. Sakumo hugged him tightly, and he hissed softly, meeting Sakumo’s eyes with a warm, lazy look, scratching lightly over his ribs with one hand.

Sakumo groaned, shuddering, and Orochimaru hummed and petted in the same sweeping arc, hips and torso shifting into sharp angles as he went almost completely lax in Sakumo’s arms.

Sakumo nuzzled his mate’s shoulder and neck, rumbling fondly.

Chapter 39: Caught

Chapter Text

“Sakumo? . . .Sakumo.”

Sakumo hummed vaguely, not looking around.

“Sakumo!”

He twisted around in time to catch the blow aimed at his ribs, his hand wrapped around Jiraiya’s forearm, and raised his eyebrows. “What was that for?” he asked mildly, not releasing his friend’s arm.

“Where’s your head?” Jiraiya asked in turn, tugging at his grip. Sakumo tightened it pointedly, fingers digging into Jiraiya’s arm, but couldn’t keep his gaze from straying back to the arresting figure across the field.

“Nothing.” Sakumo said absently, dropping Jiraiya’s arm. “What did you want?”

“Well now I want to know where that look on your face is coming from.” Jiraiya said archly, shouldering Sakumo roughly enough that while it had been friendly, if he’d been less well planted he’d have gone clear off his feet. Jiraiya was bad about that; sometimes Sakumo had wondered about his teammates, neither of whom had anywhere near his bulk.

“It . . . doesn’t matter.” Sakumo said slowly, shaking his head and lowering his gaze.

Jiraiya slung an arm around his shoulders. “That is a much less happy face! Don’t be such a dour wolf! Who is it?” he asked, dragging Sakumo a few steps along with him, inspecting the other jounin running the Academy children through their paces for the afternoon. “Hm. . . Yuka? Oh, perhaps Katsumi?”

Sakumo snorted and Jiraiya shook him. “Well help me out here! Come on, you know I’ll give you a hand if you just tell me; who caught your eye?”

“I doubt that.” Sakumo shook his head. He didn’t add that he was fairly certain Jiraiya’s help would be precisely none even if Sakumo had been snared by one of the kunoichi. He eyed the slender figure gently nudging a young Aburame forwards while keeping an eye on three rowdier children set to target practise.

“Ah! Himae!” Jiraiya said, and Sakumo cocked his head, looking at his friend. Jiraiya looked quite pleased with himself.

“Who?” Sakumo asked, confused.

“. . .the pretty little one with the blue hair, over by Orochi.” Jiraiya nodded in that direction, and Sakumo looked and realised there was another jounin near Orochimaru. He hadn’t noticed. “Come on, we’ll go chat with Orochi and I’ll introduce you!”

Sakumo wanted to protest - and he would have - but . . . the lure of an excuse to talk to Orochimaru, to be close and meet his eyes and hear his voice, was too much to resist.

Chapter 40: Don't Move

Chapter Text

“Damn it, wolf. . .” Orochimaru muttered above him, and Sakumo bit the inside of his cheek to keep back a laugh he knew would only hurt more.

“Sorry, lovely.” Sakumo offered, and Orochimaru hissed sharply, one hand - callused and cool and strong, but exceedingly gentle - brushing his brow, stroking his cheek.

“Idiot.” Orochimaru scolded, tone rough, and began tearing his shirt further from the blood-soaked, ragged tears it already bore. Sakumo twisted a little to make it easier to get off and stopped breathing for a moment, cringing.

“Don’t move.” Orochimaru ordered sharply. Sakumo smiled at Orochimaru weakly and settled on his back once more. “It will be all right, just . . . don’t move.”

Sakumo nodded shallowly and Orochimaru hissed, head bowed as he focused on the bloody mess of Sakumo’s side. Sakumo’s breath caught as his mate’s chakra pushed into him, caustic and overwhelming, but he didn’t fight the feeling, relaxing and letting his eyes close.

Don’t fall asleep.” Orochimaru warned, and Sakumo gave another small nod, panting shallowly. “I wish Tsuna were here.” he muttered, much softer, and Sakumo guessed he probably wasn’t intended to hear that.

“‘m glad you’re here.” Sakumo said, opening his eyes to look at his mate. Orochimaru looked drawn and worried and Sakumo didn’t say that he didn’t regret his choice to step in to shield his comrade . . . nor that he was glad Orochimaru was here whether he could help or not. If Sakumo was going to die, he was happy to do it with his mate at his side.

Orochimaru hissed sharply, his chakra spiking, and Sakumo huffed. “I’m still here.” he said thickly, dragging his left hand up to rest on Orochimaru’s thigh.

“And you’re staying.” Orochimaru said fiercely, eyes narrowed, focus not shifting from where Sakumo could feel his side slowly and painfully knitting back together under his mate’s hands.

Chapter 41: My Snake (finding out)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Jiraiya ducked his head to a scout, thanks for letting him pass, and walked into the camp with some relief. He hadn’t expected to run into a Konoha patrol, much less one this size, but it would be nice to spend at least one night with more than himself and what supplies he carried by way of making himself comfortable.

He snagged another jounin by the elbow to ask after the squad’s commander, and a gesture directed him towards a small tent still lit from within. Jiraiya headed that way to check in with the man.

“You had us moving awfully fast today; eager to get back to your snake?”

Jiraiya paused with his hand outstretched towards the tent flap. Snake. Surely there was only one person that could possibly be, within Konoha.

“We’re ahead of schedule, but everything’s fine.”

Dan, Dan and Hatake, Jiraiya identified.

“And . . . yes.” Hatake added, his voice softer. “I miss him. He’s been so busy back and forth with the front lines . . . and behind them. We’ve barely been together for months.”

“Well, we should be back for a bit longer this time.” Dan said, yawning. There was a light slapping sound. “As long as he isn’t sent off again. . .”

Hatake sighed. “Faint hope. But at least for a little while. . .”

“’swhat you get for falling for another war hero.” Dan said dryly, and Hatake let out a rough bark of laughter.

“Personal experience talking?” Hatake teased, and Jiraiya finally moved the flap aside and cleared his throat to get their attention, eyeing the men sitting by a planning table, Dan’s hand on Sakumo’s shoulder.

They looked up at him and offered greetings, and Jiraiya grinned and returned them, even as he eyed Hatake assessingly. He was heading back to Konoha as well, might as well tag along with them, as he’d been hoping when he saw the signs of a Konoha patrol, and. . .

If Orochi had taken up with Hatake, Jiraiya wanted to know . . . and Orochi was hardly likely to admit to it, least of all if it was actually important to him, sneaky bastard guarded his cold heart hard. Jiraiya would have to put some work into it if he wanted to know more.

Chapter 42: My Wolf (finding out)

Chapter Text

Jiraiya frowned a bit as he made his way up through the jounin standby station. He’d barely seen Orochimaru since he returned to Konoha a few days ago, and the last day or so he had actually been looking. He was beginning to wonder if his friend had another secret.

Orochimaru hadn’t been at home - at least, not so far as Jiraiya could tell; even he wasn’t foolish enough to test the traps surrounding the Yashagoro house, no matter his friendship with Orochimaru - nor his lab, the usual training grounds - including his favoured Shi no Mori - the library, or the Tower. Jiraiya wasn’t-

Orochimaru was here. In the lounge. Jiraiya stared as Orochimaru tilted his head, lips curling into a sharp-edged smirk as he spoke.

His hair was falling back behind his shoulders, and there was a clear and livid mark of teeth at the base of his neck, just beyond the collar of his shirt. Jiraiya opened his mouth, then closed it again.

“Lovely!” Sakumo laughed through the endearment, one hand creeping around Orochimaru’s hip. With barely a touch, Orochimaru let himself sink from where he had been leaning back against the couch to settle almost in Sakumo’s lap, leaning into him.

Jiraiya moved into the lounge properly as Sakumo stroked Orochimaru’s hair, then curled an arm around his waist, tucking him close. He tilted his head and Jiraiya shook his own, blinking.

Such a wild wolf.” Shiren observed with a wry tone, not quite taunting.

Sakumo nuzzled Orochimaru’s hair, pressing a kiss behind his ear, unruffled by the words. He tucked his chin along Orochimaru’s shoulder with a soft smile, glancing at Jiraiya with a shallow nod as he came closer to the group of his fellow jounin.

“A wolf is as tame as he pleases, isn’t that right?” an Inuzuka Jiraiya didn’t know said from her perch by the window, tossing half a sandwich with a few bites taken out of it to her dog lying on the floor below.

Sakumo smiled a little wider. “For his mate.” he said by way of agreement, nuzzling Orochimaru’s neck as he visibly softened into Sakumo’s embrace, eyes warm.

“Mine.” Orochimaru said, voice low, fingers skipping lightly over Sakumo’s arm.

“Always.” Sakumo returned, tugging Orochimaru a little further into his lap and making him laugh softly as Jiraiya tried to frame this behaviour, this display with the Orochimaru he knew, mind almost refusing to accept it as it looked.

Chapter 43: Special

Chapter Text

Sakumo followed the silvery glow of his soul-guide happily, trotting after the sinuous creature. He grinned at the viper when it circled back as though checking he was obeying its urgings, stroking the ethereal head rising beside him.

He followed it clear out into overgrown brush beneath thickening trees, though he knew if his parents had realised he was gone they would be worried. He hesitated only when a scent caught his nose - bright and acidic, it . . . itched, but it was also. . .

The viper hissed and circled him again, setting off a little quicker, and Sakumo breathed one more deep lungful of the intriguing, strange new scent, then followed. He wanted to follow, he was eager to see what it had to show him - even his clan rarely found their mates before they were grown at least, Sakumo knew his mate must be something special, and his heart beat faster at the prospect of their meeting.

Another glowing creature bounded into a small clearing ahead of them as Sakumo followed his viper, and his breath caught. No one could see soul-guides save those they were meant to bring together, if Sakumo could see the-

The wolf. It was a wolf cub bounding to his viper, which lunged and coiled around the wolf’s neck, winding tight as the wolf snuffled at it and curled up on the grass. Sakumo stared as they cuddled into one another, but only had a few long moments to wonder if it would be all right to go and stroke the wolf - the shape soul-guides took for almost everyone in his clan, but not Sakumo - before another figure ran into the clearing.

The other looked at the soul-guides immediately, then stumbled to a stop, surprise clear on their face. Sakumo guessed they had realised there was a viper coiled around their wolf.

“Hello.” Sakumo said hopefully, creeping closer.

Wide golden eyes snapped up to meet his and grew still wider. “You are- You have a viper?” They glanced over at the soul-guides again, curled together and ignoring them both.

“You have a wolf.” Sakumo said, moving still closer. “Everyone in my clan has-” he lost his words as the other came close enough for Sakumo to scent him. The acidic and curious scent he had caught earlier, it was his soulmate.

Sakumo whined happily, half closing his eyes and breathing in deeply, swaying closer.

“I- I’m Orochimaru. All of my family have had snakes.” Orochimaru said, and Sakumo hummed acknowledgment. Orochimaru inched closer and Sakumo whined encouragingly.

“I’m Sakumo.” Sakumo said, his toes wriggling in his sandals. “May- May I. . .”

Orochimaru made a curious sound, tilting his head slightly, and Sakumo took the last step closer and dipped his head to almost press his nose to Orochimaru’s shoulder, scenting him with a delighted croon. He closed his eyes and rubbed his cheek on Orochimaru’s shoulder.

Orochimaru made a soft hissing sound, and Sakumo lifted his head reluctantly, opening his eyes. Orochimaru fidgeted for a moment, squirming, then leaned up and kissed Sakumo’s cheek softly.

Sakumo whined and threw his arms around Orochimaru, sending them both tumbling onto the grass as Orochimaru startled but only snuggling into him. “I’m so happy to have found you.” Sakumo said quietly, burying his nose against his mate’s shoulder.

Orochimaru giggled and hugged Sakumo in return, curling into him and clinging tight. “Me too.”

Chapter 44: Return

Chapter Text

“Oh, come on, it’s boring. There are better things to do.” Jiraiya coaxed, and Orochimaru resisted the urge to glare at him - any response would only encourage his arguments. “What are we even doing out here?”

“Orochimaru said he had somewhere to be and you took exception to it.” Tsunade said absently from behind the medical text she had brought. “I intended to sleep in, but no, we needed a team bonding day.”

“Well, I intended for us to be doing something fun, but apparently Orochi would rather watch the gate chuunin- What?” Jiraiya interrupted himself as Orochimaru straightened suddenly, eyes on the gate.

“I didn’t ask you to come with me.” Orochimaru said sharply, a little distracted. He couldn’t quite resist the smile that tugged at his lips, though.

“You refused to do anything else!” Jiraiya protested, and Orochimaru rolled his eyes as he slipped down off the branch that had been his perch for the last - gradually more infuriating - hour. “Orochi!”

Orochimaru ignored Jiraiya even as he grew louder, dropping out of the tree on Orochimaru’s heels. He headed for the returning squad passing by the chuunin on gate duty and raised his hands.

Sakumo growled softly, catching Orochimaru’s hands and drawing him in close. “My lovely. . .” he said roughly, and dipped his head to rub his face against Orochimaru’s shoulder as Orochimaru’s arms closed around him.

“Hello, wolf-heart.” Orochimaru said softly, leaning into Sakumo’s broader body with a pleased hum. Sakumo shivered, breathing deeply as he dragged his nose up along Orochimaru’s shoulder to the base of his neck. “Welcome home.”

Sakumo whined softly, arms creeping around Orochimaru’s waist as he pressed firmly closer. Orochimaru raised one hand to stroke along Sakumo’s spine, absently trailing his fingers through his mate’s long, spiky hair, and ignored Jiraiya’s offended shouting behind him.

Chapter 45: Fledging

Chapter Text

“What are you doing?”

Sakumo startled at his mate’s sharp tone, turning and hurrying through to the back garden where Orochimaru had gone to check on their son.

“Come here.” Orochimaru said, calmer, and Sakumo made his way outside to see-

For a moment his heart was in his throat as he saw his cub in the air, his tiny, half-fledged wings far too small and yet lacking the mature flight feathers that would allow them to carry him. Then he registered his mate below, one hand folded into the tori seal; the cause of Kakashi’s yips of delighted laughter as he was carried on a swirling gust of wind.

Then he plummeted, wings flapping madly, still laughing, to land safely in his mother’s outstretched hands. Sakumo grinned, watching Orochimaru kiss Kakashi’s crown of messy hair, then idly preen his wings, smoothing the downy fluff and neatening the flight feathers he did have.

Once they grew in properly, Sakumo thought, his cub would have truly striking wings. Unlike Orochimaru’s - as inky black as his hair, without a trace of pattern, only iridescent shimmers - or Sakumo’s own - subtly patterned in silvery and steel greys - both largely monocoloured, Kakashi’s wings bled from night-black where they joined his back and along the leading edge to palest silver at the tips of his primaries and secondaries.

Orochimaru held him up, nuzzling with him affectionately, then threw him easily into the air and made the seal again, catching Kakashi in a gentle but forceful wind. He spread his wings, flailing more than flapping for a moment or two but eventually getting them into roughly the right positions as Orochimaru called encouragement up to him.

Of course, right now Kakashi’s wings were a bit of a mess - down and new grown feathers and splotches of black and silver and almost-white mingled in not quite right patterns. He looked a little silly. And precious. And adorable.

Sakumo swallowed a soft croon of pure fondness.

Chapter 46: Checkpoint

Chapter Text

Orochimaru jolted away as a firm pressure found the small of his back, his heartrate jumping and his mind racing. How had anyone gotten close enough-

A soft, snuffling whine had him relaxing again immediately, and he sighed, then rolled over with a swat at his mate’s oversized muzzle. Sakumo grinned, tail wagging, and slunk a little closer, nosing Orochimaru’s chest and shoulder.

Orochimaru reached up and sank his fingers into Sakumo’s thick fur, stroking affectionately. He yawned, tasting only his mate’s chakra on the air, and closed his eyes, wriggling a little to settle comfortably on his back.

Sakumo settled beside him, heavy but quite careful, and Orochimaru moaned softly with pleasure at the warmth of his mate’s body and fluffy fur pressing so close. Sakumo rumbled quietly and lay his head down across Orochimaru’s chest and shoulder.

He would ask what had brought his mate here when the day dawned properly - this was not the quickest path back to Konoha, and Sakumo’s mission had been expected to last another six days in any case - but for now he was merely content to have Sakumo here with him and so close.

Chapter 47: Pakkun

Chapter Text

“Mama?”

Orochimaru hummed absently, frowning as he reviewed the notes from his last batch of results and trying to find the pattern.

“Mama?”

Orochimaru stilled, then raised his head. His son’s voice had been shaking slightly that time. “Kakashi? Cubling, what is it?” he asked, already moving to go to Kakashi himself.

Kakashi edged into sight with something held in his arms and blood smeared on his face.

“Kakashi?” Orochimaru questioned evenly, stilling.

“Mama, can- can you help him?” Kakashi asked, coming closer and opening his arms to show-

A puppy. A small, slightly squashed looking puppy, looking rather the worse for wear but still in one piece despite clearly being the source of the blood on Kakashi. Kakashi cuddled it and it snuffled at his wrist, its tail wagging.

“Possibly, cubling.” Orochimaru said, eyeing the puppy. “Come sit. Let me see.”

Orochimaru’s hands coming close made the puppy whimper and lower its ears and tail, but Kakashi crooned to it and its fear eased slightly. A cursory scan revealed nothing more than minor injuries and everyday parasites; minor enough that Orochimaru could mend them with a little chakra, though the experience left the puppy shivering.

“Ask your father, but I believe the Inuzuka will be able to offer something to deal with the parasites he’s carrying.” Orochimaru advised, gently patting the small, wrinkled head and then wrapping his arm around his son.

“Thank you, Mama.” Kakashi said, hugging the puppy close and snuggling into Orochimaru’s side. His brows rose when the puppy, though snug in his son’s arms, wriggled a little to get closer and licked his own fingers.

“Certainly, darling.” Orochimaru said, squeezing Kakashi around the shoulders. “And what are you thinking of calling him?” he asked.

Kakashi looked up, eyes wide.

“I’ve lived with your father for some time,” Orochimaru pointed out wryly, “I am quite aware how you canines work.” he teased. “Your difficulty will likely be your father’s wolves; not me, nor him for that matter.”

Chapter 48: (In)Decency

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“What are you doing?”

“Relaxing.” Orochimaru said with a huff, shifting a little in his mate’s lap and nudging backwards into Sakumo’s comfortably strong chest. “I know you’re familiar with the concept, Jiraiya.” he added dryly. If anyone could be said to be, it would be his hedonist teammate.

Sakumo hummed as he shifted, moving to let him settle as he would, arms twining around him. Orochimaru smiled as Sakumo’s nose brushed his ear, his affectionate mate seeking another point of contact.

Jiraiya made a huffy, not quite spluttering sound for a moment. Orochimaru could picture his face perfectly, but almost opened his eyes to enjoy the sight anyway. “You’re- You’re out here, in a public park, and just-”

“If you say anything about decency I will ask Nishii to bite you.” Orochimaru said, lip curling. Sakumo’s pleased rumble at his back deepened into something warning.

It sent shivers sliding down Orochimaru’s spine. Shivers that rather did encourage . . . indecency, he thought wryly. But not here and now. Later.

He patted his wolf’s thigh and curled into Sakumo a little more. It also neatly prevented Sakumo from even trying to get up. Though the thought of his mate - of anyone - wishing to tear into Jiraiya in defense of him pleased something deep down in Orochimaru that had come through his adolescence rather battered.

“Where is Nishii, then?” Jiraiya asked. “You don’t look like you’re considering going anywhere even if you think I need a good biting.” he teased.

Orochimaru lifted an arm, letting his sleeve slide back, and Nishii looped herself out into view with a sharp little hiss. “You always need a good biting.” Orochimaru observed, opening his eyes to glance up at his friend.

Sakumo snickered in his ear, and Orochimaru smiled, amused, even as Jiraiya huffed, eyes lit with amusement of his own that didn’t quite match his scowl.

Notes:

Sakumo would like a good biting, please. Or to give Orochimaru one. Or both. ;)

Chapter 49: Restraint

Chapter Text

“Lovely. . .” Sakumo’s voice was rough and low, and Orochimaru moaned softly just at the sound of it, back arching. Sakumo’s hands slid up his biceps and over his shoulders to rest at the base of his neck, strong and sure. It sent a shiver down his spine.

“Are you sure about this?” Sakumo asked, hands reversing their course and trailing down Orochimaru’s arms, bringing them up behind him, hands brushing his mate’s stomach and the fabric over his groin.

Orochimaru curled his fingers and arched his back again, easily surrendering to Sakumo’s hold. “I’m quite sure.” he replied, twisting his head and looking lazily back up at his mate, blinking slowly. “Do as you will, wolf-heart.”

Whatever you wish of me, Orochimaru thought, muscles shivering with tension as he moaned again.

Sakumo echoed the soft sound of pleasure, and Orochimaru could feel the tension in him where his thighs pressed close on either side of Orochimaru’s hips. A moment later the snug, but caressing grip of his hands was being replaced by silk rope winding his arms together from the wrists upwards.

Orochimaru squirmed and twisted beneath his mate until Sakumo gripped his shoulders and forced him down hard enough to still him. Orochimaru let out a rough cry, hips wriggling and arching only to press up between Sakumo’s spread legs, rubbing himself against his mate’s hard cock through his clothes.

Sakumo’s hips jerked, thrusting down against him. Orochimaru mewled and twisted against Sakumo’s hold on his shoulders to repeat the movement, angling his hips and spreading his thighs a little wider.

Sakumo leaned over him, and Orochimaru groaned roughly as the shift pressed his mate’s clothed erection firmly against his ass. “You’re irrepressible.” Sakumo growled in his ear, nipping his throat hard enough to sting sharply, the small pain lingering even as Sakumo lifted his head.

Orochimaru’s toes curled, heat threading his veins. “I’m yours.” he said, voice rough and a little unsteady.

Yes.” Sakumo agreed in a soft, rapturous tone, and Orochimaru gave himself up happily as his mate’s hands roamed his body, pushing and caressing as he repositioned Orochimaru beneath him.

Chapter 50: Sated

Chapter Text

Orochimaru stretched lazily, running his fingers through his hair to straighten it. He selected a clean set of clothing, then glanced back at the bed.

Sakumo was sprawled out amongst the rumpled sheets, still faintly flushed across most of his body but no longer breathing hard, watching him with heavy-lidded, slightly hazy eyes. Orochimaru crossed to him and bent, running his fingers over a row of marks his own teeth had left on his mate’s skin. Sakumo moaned, then caught his breath with a little hitching shift.

Orochimaru kissed his cheek, then the bridge of his nose, before lingering at his lips.

“I’m going to meet my team,” Orochimaru informed his mate, smiling slightly, “do have a good rest, wolf-heart.”

Sakumo groaned, eyes focusing a little more as Orochimaru straightened once more. His fingers brushed Orochimaru’s yet bare hip.

“You’ll need it,” Orochimaru continued, arching a brow and trailing a caress down Sakumo’s chest and stomach, “I want more of you tonight.”

Sakumo grinned lazily, fingers curling around Orochimaru’s wrist instead. “’s you wish, lovely.” he said, voice rough.

“As always?” Orochimaru teased gently, lifting his hand when his mate tugged at his wrist and smiling as Sakumo nuzzled kisses to his fingers.

“Of course.” Sakumo said, and shifted a little, with another soft sound that caught in his throat.

“Ja mata, wolf-heart.” Orochimaru said, bending for another kiss.

Then he left his fucked-out mate to doze and recover, taking his own pleasantly sore body off to wash and dress before he had to meet Jiraiya and Tsunade.

Chapter 51: Minato

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru stilled suddenly and Sakumo felt a flicker of nerves prickling. His lovely mate turned to pin him with a sharp gaze, and Sakumo smiled. Orochimaru’s eyes narrowed. Sakumo’s smile faded; Orochimaru was clearly bothered by something and Sakumo’s cheer wasn’t going to smooth it away.

He still wasn’t expecting-

“Sakumo, are you jealous?” Orochimaru asked, his tone making it quite clear how ludicrous he found the question.

Sakumo winced.

“You are, kami, why?” Orochimaru asked, moving closer to him, fingers brushing his side. Sakumo whined and Orochimaru touched his face, cool fingers tracing his jaw.

It was beneath him to be jealous; he was confident in his mate as much as he loved him, and Sakumo felt a rather foolish wolf. He wouldn’t be a less than honest one as well.

“You know I adore you,” Sakumo began, and Orochimaru hummed softly, barely audible, “and I would never doubt you.”

Orochimaru smiled, thumb rubbing Sakumo’s cheek.

“It’s foolish,” Sakumo said, “but watching you so delighted to work with him and knowing that he can . . . match you, impress you, in creating jutsu and refining seals. . . In the way he thinks and works. . .”

“He’s a boy, Sakumo.” Orochimaru said with a sharp-edged smile Sakumo could only see for a moment before his mate’s lips were brushing his cheek. “He’s clever and quick and I enjoy working with him,” Orochimaru’s hand smoothed up Sakumo’s bicep to his shoulder, “almost as much as I appreciate his care for our son, but he’s only a boy. And no one could stand up to my wolf.”

Sakumo shivered, fingers flexing with the need to take hold of his mate.

“I adore you every bit as much.” Orochimaru said against his ear, body lithe and close, and Sakumo gave in to the need, arms wrapping around his mate. “My foolish wolf.” he added with a warm laugh, pliant in Sakumo’s embrace.

Notes:

I am a bit amused that this one wound up going up so shortly after I posted an Oro/Minato fic for the first time. . . XD

If Kakashi has only recently graduated the Academy to be placed with a jounin-sensei along his canon educational progression, Minato is only 15 or 16 here, so jounin or not . . . he's still young.

Chapter 52: Preening

Chapter Text

“All right, all right, come here, little one.” Sakumo beckoned, laughing, as Kakashi moved to sit beside him, one hand smoothing absently over the leading edge of his own wing. Tenzou grinned as he pushed himself up and wobbled his way the few steps to nearly fall into Sakumo’s now empty lap.

Sakumo crooned, fingers ruffling Tenzou’s fluffy wings. Tenzou almost chirped as he curled his fingers into Sakumo’s shirt and pulled himself closer, wings bobbing. Kakashi stretched his shoulders and settled his wings more neatly into place along his shoulders and back, looking quite sleek and put together . . . save for the few patches where his adult feathers had yet to fledge, and he still carried splotched down in their place.

Orochimaru moved out of the doorway as Sakumo crooned to Tenzou, petting and preening his wings as he wriggled happily. Orochimaru bent and kissed the top of Kakashi’s head, running one hand over the crest of a sharp-edged, neatly-preened wing.

Kakashi tilted his head back and grinned at Orochimaru upside down, and he laughed softly. A gentle nudge and Kakashi slid sideways, making room for Orochimaru to settle not quite behind his mate, smoothing steel grey feathers with one hand. Sakumo groaned, stretching his shoulders, and glanced back over his shoulder.

Orochimaru arched a brow, beginning to preen his mate’s somewhat battered feathers, particularly gentle around the few cracked and broken blood feathers he’d stabilised when Sakumo returned the day before. Sakumo let his wings hang a little looser, even coming forwards a bit, but focused back on their little fledgling in his lap.

“Mama?” Tenzou asked, lifting his head up enough to peek over Sakumo’s shoulder.

“Mm?” Orochimaru prompted, leaning forwards a little and spreading his own wings slightly to balance the movement. Tenzou only grinned, snuggling into Sakumo’s chest.

A barely-there touch at his side drew Orochimaru’s attention to his eldest. He raised his eyebrows, and Kakashi plucked gently at one long feather at the leading edge of Orochimaru’s nearer wing. “May I help?”

Orochimaru tugged his wing away, then wrapped it around his son, drawing him in close under its shelter. “Of course, little one.”

Kakashi’s clever little fingers began to dig in between Orochimaru’s feathers, and he hummed, then smothered a laugh when Tenzou began to clumsily attempt the same with the inner side of Sakumo’s. Sakumo glanced over his shoulder at Orochimaru with a fond smile and warm eyes, and Orochimaru leaned forwards to kiss him softly.

Chapter 53: Incident and Invitation

Notes:

Adolescent wolf and snake! Awkward and mysterious. XP

Chapter Text

A sharp bark had Sakumo jolting up out of the tangle he’d been in with Kita, careless of the snap of fangs he had been dodging that nearly caught his arm in his inattention. Kita gathered himself and followed as Sakumo bolted for Daiji.

He nearly tripped over the half-grown wolf and sidestepped hurriedly, then paused, eyes widening as he took in what Daiji was whining about. Yura had a mouthful of thrashing snake, which was- Cursing?

“Yura, drop it!” Sakumo yelped, startling into motion again.

Yura bared her teeth further around the thick purple body, twisting as it fought her grip and opening its mouth wide. Sakumo whined anxiously, hesitating. Yura ducked her shoulder out of the range of the snapping fangs by a narrow margin.

“Yura!” Sakumo barked, moving towards her again. “That is-”

Sakumo was knocked back by a sharp blow and took a step to steady himself, shaking his head as his vision was obscured by inky black for a moment, and then- The prettiest person Sakumo had ever seen turned towards him with a graceful snap, baring sharp teeth, narrowing slit-pupilled golden eyes in a glare.

Then they were gone as the figure dropped gracefully, reaching out past the snapping snake, clasping it gently behind the head and bringing their free hand up and-

“Whoa!” Sakumo seized their wrist before they could strike and nearly got bitten for his trouble as he was dragged down straight off his feet. He narrowly avoided the blow aimed for his solar plexus, and threw himself sideways, dragging them both down onto the grass. “Yura, let the snake go.” he managed as he was pinned down.

His attacker paused, lashes fluttering, and slanted a look back as Yura started muttering, clearly having released the snake. “Let our alpha go.” Kita snapped, prowling nearer.

“I’m fine.” Sakumo said, shaking his head slightly and then going still as he met rich golden eyes again. He felt a little breathless, and not from the slight weight across his stomach and ribs. “I’m sorry about your snake. Are they all right?”

A considering look, and one elegant hand stroked over purple scales as the snake looped itself around their bent arm and up to their shoulder. They were hissing solidly, but quieted a little under their summoner’s hand. “Fine.” the voice was soft and deep. “Are you all right?” they asked, sliding smoothly off him to kneel at his side.

Sakumo smothered a whine and smiled at the lovely person. “I’m fine.” He took a breath, but only scented snake and metal and something acidic. He stretched out a hand as Yura nuzzled his shoulder, scratching into her ruff soothingly. “We were just out for some training today anyway.” he said, reluctantly sitting up. It brought him very close to one slender shoulder, and he smiled a little wider as the snake summoner didn’t pull away, only watched him with those pretty eyes. “. . .would you like to join us?”

Chapter 54: Hidden

Chapter Text

“. . .what was that, Orochi?” Jiraiya demanded, twisting and stepping sideways in front of him. “I didn’t hit you that hard, are you hurt?”

“Certainly not.” Orochimaru said sharply, meeting his eyes with a flat glare.

“You flinched.” Jiraiya frowned at him, reaching out, and Orochimaru slipped him neatly. “Orochi!” He paused. “You aren’t threatening to stab me, so I doubt you’re mad at me, and you don’t flinch. So what was that?”

“Your overactive imagination?” Orochimaru suggested dryly, continuing on the road towards the mission room.

It was only a moment before Jiraiya trailed after him, and Orochimaru cursed himself inwardly for being at all surprised when Jiraiya slung an arm around him again, right against the dully stinging marks he’d hit with his ‘companionable’ slap. Jiraiya pinned him with a look.

Orochimaru frowned and slid out of the curve of his friend’s arm, elbowing him firmly when he didn’t let go quick enough. He huffed, rolling his eyes and taking a step back when Jiraiya reached for him again.

“My mate is,” Orochimaru paused, smirking, remembering the fiery sting blooming across his shoulder blade as Sakumo’s cock drove into him, the combined sensations sending waves of heat through his body that shook him to his core, “enthusiastic. And he likes to leave marks.”

Jiraiya opened his mouth, then faltered mid-word, gaze dropping down Orochimaru’s body as he took half a step back. “Sakumo. . .”

“I’m quite unhurt, thank you, my friend,” Orochimaru continued in a more solicitous tone, “you merely found my wolf’s fang marks.”

Jiraiya went a little pasty, and Orochimaru laughed as he slipped past his friend, leaving Jiraiya to catch up when he got himself together again.

Chapter 55: Undone

Chapter Text

Sakumo dragged his fangs down Orochimaru’s inner thigh, making him arch and writhe, pushing his hips up into Sakumo’s palm curved over his cock.

Sakumo grinned, and it grew wider as his normally so-composed mate moaned his name in a choked mess of syllables. He nuzzled higher up Orochimaru’s pale thigh, bypassing a faintly red mark he had already left, pausing near his groin and pressing an open-mouthed kiss there. Orochimaru hissed, muscles tensing under Sakumo’s mouth and his caressing hand sliding lower.

Sakumo bit lightly, sucking at the flesh caught in his teeth, left hand smoothing lightly down and back up the length of Orochimaru’s cock. Orochimaru’s other leg pressed against his shoulder, sinuous body twisting and pushing against Sakumo’s weight.

He released his mouthful with a lingering pass of his tongue, then prowled up over his mate, letting his hand slide away from Orochimaru’s cock with a trailing caress of knuckles over Orochimaru’s belly. He protested weakly, only to let out a soft cry when Sakumo lowered himself and pressed another kiss edged with teeth to his stomach, moving upwards slowly with several little nipping, sucking kisses.

Orochimaru tangled his hands in Sakumo’s hair, pulling distractedly. Sakumo smiled, hands sweeping over his mate’s sides; drifting over more of the many marks he’d left tonight since he first began stripping his mate’s clothes away to reach skin.

Sakumo closed his teeth gently over Orochimaru’s nipple, hands curling around his mate’s hips for support as he worried the tight peak between his fangs. A pleased rumble bloomed in his chest as Orochimaru gasped for breath, fingers tightening.

With a last lingering stroke of his tongue, Sakumo abandoned his place to continue upwards, nuzzling into Orochimaru’s neck and rumbling with pleasure as his mate bared it openly for him. Orochimaru’s scent was thick with want, pleasantly heady. Sakumo scraped his fangs delicately up over the throb of Orochimaru’s pulse, avoiding the raw marks where he’d already bitten as he chose a new place.

Sakumo had been at this nearing too long; with his mate slowly dissolving further into a moaning mess under his hands and mouth Sakumo’s own control was beginning to slip. He growled, belly and groin tightening, and bit down a little harder, tasting blood as Orochimaru’s nails dug into his shoulders, his mate’s body arching invitingly - pleadingly - against his own needy press downwards.

Chapter 56: Brothers

Chapter Text

“I’m going to the training grounds!” Kakashi announced as he stepped into Orochimaru’s workroom. “. . .all right, Mama?”

“Very well, little one. Be careful.” Orochimaru said distractedly, resting a hand on Kakashi’s head as he came close.

“Mama?” Kakashi said, and Orochimaru hummed acknowledgement. “May I take otouto with me?”

Orochimaru stiffened, glancing down at his son. Kakashi returned his look hopefully, and- Orochimaru looked. Tenzou had risen from the blanket in the corner where he had been playing quietly, looking equally hopeful.

Orochimaru’s eyes narrowed and he looked between them. “Be careful and keep close watch on your brother.” he ordered, brushing a hand over Kakashi’s cheek. “Tenzou, listen to your Aniki. I’ll expect you back before dinner; your father will be home with us tonight.” Sakumo was expected back by mid-afternoon, as of the report yesterday’s patrol had brought in; even if he was delayed - unlikely - he should make dinnertime.

“Yes Mama!” Kakashi said, hugging himself close to Orochimaru’s side. Tenzou clung to his thigh on the other side, and Orochimaru put down the instrument he held to reach down to Tenzou as well.

“Yes Mama.” Tenzou echoed, snuggling against him for a moment more before stepping away and moving to Kakashi’s side, grinning. Kakashi smiled back, taking his hand and leading him out of the workroom.

Orochimaru frowned contemplatively, though he wasn’t terribly concerned for them - Kakashi had doted on his brother since Orochimaru had brought Tenzou home, and wouldn’t allow him to get hurt. Tenzou was a well-mannered boy and certainly was unlikely to come to mischief of his own accord.

Orochimaru shook his sleeve back and summoned Kaida. “My children are going to the training grounds.” he told her, stroking the length of her body as she looped herself around his arm. “Watch over them for me?”

Kaida hissed and squeezed his arm. “Certainly, summoner.” she assented as she twisted to slip to the floor, and was quickly gone, following after the children.

Chapter 57: Worn and Weary

Chapter Text

“Lovely! You’re home, thank the kami.” Sakumo couldn’t quite restrain himself as his battered and drooping mate stepped through into their den, relief thick in his voice as he caught Orochimaru into his arms.

Orochimaru groaned and nestled against his shoulder, and Sakumo hugged him tight, stroking his back. Only consciously, carefully reminding himself that Orochimaru had just returned from the front lines made Sakumo hold back from crushing his mate to himself. “Are you all right?” he asked, whining a little at the acrid scent of battle clinging to Orochimaru. Stale blood - not his mate’s - and steel and sweat and poison, something cloying and deeply unpleasant. . .

“Only exhausted.” Orochimaru said, his voice ragged and rough. He nuzzled Sakumo’s throat weakly. “It has been . . . a long mission.”

Sakumo hummed soothingly, letting a rumble build in his chest. He stepped back, heart throbbing at the weak, forlorn sound it pulled from his mate even as he scooped Orochimaru into his arms. Orochimaru didn’t protest, falling pliantly into Sakumo’s supportive embrace, leaning into his chest.

Sakumo carried his mate through the house to the bathing room, pressing a kiss to Orochimaru’s brow as his head sank lower.

Sakumo managed to begin the large soaking tub filling with hot water without putting Orochimaru down, then settled in the washing corner and began stripping off Orochimaru’s clothes. They were worn and in some places slashed and Sakumo suspected much of the uniform would be consigned to scraps, but he set it all aside without lingering, then stripped himself with far less care.

Orochimaru leaned into his hands as he began to carefully wash his mate’s battered body with long, gentle strokes. Orochimaru sighed, eyes drooping, body sagging into Sakumo’s embrace, relaxing further as the lingering dirt of battle and travel were washed away and Sakumo’s hands roamed his body.

He shifted Orochimaru carefully, thoroughly wetting his hair and then carefully washing the sleek mass of it as well, keeping Orochimaru close against his shoulder as he worked. Orochimaru sighed again, head dipping and eyes closed as Sakumo rinsed the last of the suds away.

Sakumo kissed his shoulder and picked him up again, and this time he sagged into Sakumo’s arms but also clung to him, cheek rubbing against his shoulder. Orochimaru hissed softly as Sakumo stepped into the soaking tub and settled low in the nearly steaming water, cradling his mate across his lap.

“Lie on me.” Sakumo murmured, smoothing a hand over Orochimaru’s hip and side, nuzzling behind his ear and offering support. “I’ll take care of you.”

Orochimaru smiled and relaxed even further, allowing Sakumo to support him fully in the water.

Chapter 58: Claim

Chapter Text

Orochimaru’s back bowed, head and shoulders tipping back, as Sakumo bucked beneath him, driving up hard, hands tightening on his hips. A rough growl tickled Sakumo’s throat and he fought not to grip too harshly, even as he rapidly lost himself in his mate.

While they had shared all manner of physical contact as they courted, and Orochimaru had allowed Sakumo to scent him as well as touch him freely, this was the first time they had shared this, had sought pleasure in each other, and Sakumo found himself even more overwhelmed by it than he would have anticipated. It was his mate, his chosen, who held his heart as well as welcoming him in body, and it was enough to have Sakumo dizzy and thrumming with bliss.

Orochimaru shuddered and bent forwards over Sakumo, his hair falling around his shoulders and shadowing his face as he gasped, muscles tightening around Sakumo’s cock. He let out a sharp cry, arching. Orochimaru bent even lower, hazy golden eyes meeting Sakumo’s, thin mouth curved in a slanted smile.

Tingling sparks rushed through Sakumo’s body and he surged up under his mate, claiming a fierce kiss and tumbling Orochimaru to the futon beneath him in turn. Orochimaru’s soft cry of surprise was muffled against his mouth, and his mate’s lean body tensed only to ease into the pressure of Sakumo’s guiding him down an instant later, arms coming up to twine around him.

Sakumo broke away with a gasp, thrusting down hard into Orochimaru’s welcoming body, long legs winding around his hips and drawing him in eagerly. Orochimaru arched beautifully beneath him, belly and chest ridged with muscles drawn taut, long throat bared, hair like a spill of ink around his head and shoulders.

Sakumo growled as he dropped down against his mate, pressing close and rolling his hips in a last demanding thrust as pleasure snapped through him, his mate’s body tightening around his rapidly-swelling knot as Orochimaru gave a low cry. Sakumo shuddered, stroking Orochimaru’s sides and rocking into him thoughtlessly, shivers wracking both of them.

It wasn’t until the dizzying aftermath of pleasure began to fade, tingling warmth still filling him under his mate’s lazily stroking hands, that Sakumo recognised why his tongue was thick with the taste of acrid blood. He whined softly and nosed Orochimaru’s jaw, gently licking at the raw bite near the base of his slender throat. He hadn’t . . . intended to do that.

“Are you all right, mate?” Sakumo asked, voice ragged and low, lapping at the marks his fangs had left.

Orochimaru stretched fluidly, muscles contracting around Sakumo’s knot again and making him twitch and whine. “More than.” Orochimaru all but purred, fingers trailing over Sakumo’s shoulder and back as he rolled his neck. “Mmm. . .” He reached up and brushed his fingers over the bloody marks. “Possessive, are we, wolf?” he asked, eyes heavy-lidded and lips tilted into a warm smile as Sakumo looked him in the face again.

Sakumo whined softly, eyes darting back to the bite, then meeting Orochimaru’s. There was no distress or unhappiness in his mate’s face, only warmth and pleasure. “I should have asked.” he said, voice rough, kissing Orochimaru’s jaw softly in apology.

Orochimaru hummed, stroking his face and drawing him into a kiss. “I like being yours.” he said softly as their lips parted, nuzzling Sakumo as he shivered with pleasure at the words. “In all ways. You never need to ask.”

Sakumo whined happily and cuddled into his mate, claiming another kiss as Orochimaru welcomed him with soft warmth.

Chapter 59: Appearances

Notes:

Daemon AU has felt odd to try and write with this ship . . . and then I finally did and it was an odd thing for a daemon AU.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Your- Your daemon is a snake?”

Sakumo turned, eyeing the new jounin joining his squad. The man rapidly paled. Sakumo wondered wryly if he hadn’t intended to actually voice the incredibly rude question.

“Ah- It’s only- Hatake. . ?”

Sakumo reached up to stroke Sanaya. She coiled a little more tightly around his throat, hissing softly and arching, one looping coil rubbing up under his ear. “No, my daemon is not a serpent.” he said, smiling and letting his fangs show. “I am a Hatake, after all.”

Dan and Masa both edged away from their newest teammate, and Sakumo stifled laughter.

“If we can get back to the mission briefing?” Sakumo suggested dryly.

“Yes please. You aren’t the only one with an impatient lover waiting.” Dan said lightly, and grinned when Sakumo looked at him. He ruffled his daemon’s fur, and she lolled in his lap, looking deceptively harmless. Not unlike Dan.

“At least yours has been based in the village lately,” Sakumo said without rancour, “I’ve seen mine more often on the front lines than in our home for months.”

Dan wisely didn’t respond to that, and Sakumo rubbed a thumb over Sanaya’s head as he redirected everyone’s focus back to the reason for their meeting. Sakumo had two more days before they were due to leave and his mate waiting at home; he had far better places to be, just as soon as this duty was completed.

Sanaya hissed softly in his ear, making him smile.

Notes:

Sanaya comes from the kanji for ‘acid’ and ‘fast’.
Dan’s daemon is one of several types of venomous shrew (one of very few venomous mammals).

Sakumo’s daemon (a wolf, naturally) is waiting at home with Orochimaru, as one might guess. It's not too far, and. . .

Hatake and their wolves (almost all Hatake have wolf-shape daemons) have a longer range by nature, while Orochimaru and Sanaya trained themselves to stretch their already decent (for normal pairs) distance further from childhood. (They like to stay close, but it’s too useful to be able to part without straining their bond. (Of course, the practise and ability contributed to unkind rumours about Orochimaru.))

Chapter 60: Jounin-sensei

Chapter Text

Sakumo stirred lazily at the whispering sound of something moving among the nearby flowers, tilting his head without actually lifting it from his arms. A flash of pale purple and stark white at the corner of his eye and he smiled slightly, remaining relaxed, even before the scent of his mate reached his nose.

Orochimaru settled at his side with the brush of one hand over his shoulder, and Sakumo moaned softly, closing his eyes. Orochimaru made a soft sound and stroked his back, then reached up and carded gentle fingers through his ponytail, fingertips teasing over his nape.

“How does your planning go, wolf-heart?” Orochimaru asked as his hand traced down the length of Sakumo’s spine towards his hips.

Sakumo groaned, opening his eyes and glancing at the files spread on the grass not far from his crossed forearms. “. . .it’s been interesting.” he admitted with a sigh. “I’m not sure how they will work together.”

If they will work together?” Orochimaru suggested dryly, tugging gently at Sakumo’s hair and making him whine, shifting slightly.

“Every team can work together.” Sakumo said staunchly. “. . .but I don’t know if they’ll mesh well enough to be a proper team. I don’t know if they’ll pass my test.” He didn’t know what he was going to put them through for a test, for that matter. His own jounin-sensei’s test had been . . . well, it wasn’t what Sakumo wanted from his genin. Prospective genin.

“What do you want to see from them, before you accept them?” Orochimaru asked, knuckles running up his spine with a light nudge that made his back arch as he went nearly boneless on the grass.

“Hrm,” Sakumo mumbled vaguely, “loyalty. Strength of will. What did you want?” he asked vaguely, remembering Orochimaru plotting out what to do when the Hokage - the Yondaime, and a sore point it was that the Sandaime, his own sensei, had never allowed him to teach - had finally accepted Orochimaru as a jounin-sensei the year before.

“Intuitive sense, dedication, flexibility.” Orochimaru replied, and Sakumo nodded, both remembering the trend of Orochimaru’s plans and knowing his mate. “Only you can say what will make them suit you as a team, wolf-heart.” he said, bending and pressing a kiss to Sakumo’s shoulder as he nodded agreement, thinking.

Orochimaru shifted beside him and continued stroking his back as he pondered the Academy files of the three newly-minted genin he would - possibly - be taking on next week.

Chapter 61: Mothering (Stolen Shrublet)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

A soft cry made Orochimaru turn, finding the infant he’d just left squirming, face screwed up and red.

Orochimaru moved over to him with a soft croon, stroking a fingertip down his scrunched-up face. An absent flick of his tongue to taste the boy’s chakra found it shivering in the air around him but . . . steady. Not. . .

Orochimaru’s gaze slid towards the three empty bassinets near this one; the two empty places just beyond where others had stood. He shook his head, shuddering, and scooped the baby into his arms, rocking gently. “Hush, Tenzou.” he murmured, settling the boy against his chest more comfortably.

The baby - Tenzou; Orochimaru didn’t . . . like calling them by their impersonal designations - calmed quickly. He was a quiet child, if treated as a child. Danzo’s orders relating to the infants were. . .

Orochimaru caught himself baring his teeth at nothing and shook his head, walking a slow circle around the bassinet with Tenzou cradled in his arms, blinking sleepily as he swayed. He remembered his own little one at this age, bright-eyed and clingy, and tried to imagine under any circumstances just . . . leaving him, cold and ignored as he cried.

Tenzou’s fingers curled into Orochimaru’s hair and while the grip was easy enough to unwind - even gently enough so as not to upset the baby - Orochimaru . . . couldn’t put him down. Orochimaru’s mind flitted between Tenzou, warm and content in his arms with barely a flicker of attention given him; Kakashi, older now but still so small, so delicate, so needy; the other mokuton children, their deaths, neglected and cold and dying as their chakra rebelled and their small bodies couldn’t contain the force of the mokuton.

Orochimaru’s nightmares of late were coloured in shades of brown and red, wrecks of twisted trees exploding outwards from tiny bodies, scattered splinters. The worst held strands of silver. His family.

Orochimaru hadn’t cared much for this project at its outset, no matter whose orders had begun it; watching over these children as they struggled, treated more as experimental containers than children, and then died. . .

Without conscious thought, Orochimaru’s arms tightened around the baby he held close. Tenzou whimpered and nuzzled his face against Orochimaru’s chest.

No, Orochimaru thought, eyes narrowing, stroking Tenzou’s soft, round cheek with one fingertip.

No.

Chapter 62: Stolen (Stolen Shrublet)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo smiled reflexively as he heard the front door, glancing up at the window. It was slightly earlier than Orochimaru had made it home from . . . whatever he was doing on the Hokage’s orders in over a week. “Okaeri!” he called, retrieving a splintering piece of bone from under the table; it had served well as a teething aid but it really needed to go.

“Sakumo. Hello.” Orochimaru said, his voice low and coming closer. “Ah . . . there are some things we should,” he paused, “probably discuss.”

“Lovely?” Sakumo turned towards his mate as he straightened, then stilled as he realised the cub cradled in his mate’s arms was far too small to be theirs; the infant stirred and a tuft of dark hair showed above the dark blue wrap that looked to be one of Orochimaru’s shirts. “Lovely, where did you get a baby?” he asked softly.

Orochimaru cradled the infant a little closer, rocking him absently in a way that gave Sakumo a pang, thinking not only of Kakashi when he had been this tiny, but of the quiet conversations they’d been having before Orochimaru’s new orders had put any hopes of another cub on hold at best.

“I stole him.” Orochimaru said firmly, jaw set, and Sakumo blinked.

“. . .I see we will be having rather a long discussion, once we’ve put Kakashi to bed.” Sakumo said, eyeing the baby and then meeting his mate’s gaze once more.

Orochimaru relaxed, very slightly, then bowed his head in acknowledgement, rocking the baby again and crooning as he began to flail his tiny limbs.

Sakumo swallowed, his chest tightening at the sight of his beloved mate coddling what looked very like a nearly newborn infant, even if the child wasn’t theirs.

Chapter 63: Explanations (Stolen Shrublet)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo’s mind raced as Orochimaru recounted the experiments, the orders that had led to the infant he held cradled on his lap now as he spoke. Every word laced together in his mind with memories of the many nights over the past weeks Orochimaru had cried into Sakumo’s shoulder, unwilling - unable - to explain why, or sat up very late with their sleeping cub held in his arms. The days - rare as they were, Orochimaru had barely been home - when Orochimaru had barely let Kakashi out of his arms, and certainly not from his sight.

At first he had ascribed the clinginess to his mate’s desire for another cub, their desire, which had been put aside with his new orders, but. . . Orochimaru might not have been able to tell him anything, but Sakumo didn’t need telling to realise that his mate’s distress was rooted in something that was a threat to their own cub or to others.

“Fifty-four.” Orochimaru said softly.

“Lovely?” Sakumo questioned, voice low, smoothing his hand over his mate’s back.

Orochimaru’s head bowed lower, his hair falling around the baby cradled in his lap. “I did my best with what I was given, I changed the way their DNA was spliced, I guided and bound their chakra, I did everything I could think of within the parameters of the experiment, the orders I was given. . .” he said, his voice thick. “And fifty-four of them are dead.”

Sakumo’s stomach knotted violently and he felt sick. “What.” he rasped.

“Six infants still alive. Including. . .” A gentle hand tracing the baby’s face. “His is the only chakra that’s anything approaching stable. The others- There’s nothing I can do. I’ve tried for more than a dozen of them, but I- They’ll die too. I couldn’t leave him, I couldn’t-” Orochimaru’s voice broke.

Sakumo swallowed thickly and curled himself around his mate, nuzzling Orochimaru’s shoulder. A tear splashed off the baby’s cheek and Orochimaru gently rubbed it away.

“I don’t know if Tenzou will either.” Orochimaru said, his voice wrecked. “He’s trying, though, wolf-heart, he’s trying so hard to live and his chakra calms when,” Orochimaru’s chakra flared and the baby in his lap squirmed and then yawned, settling and all but going limp; it was . . . the strangest reaction to the caustic, battering force of Orochimaru’s chakra Sakumo had ever seen from someone outside their pack, “I couldn’t just leave him to die.”

“Of course not.” Sakumo kissed his mate’s shoulder. “. . .Tenzou?” he asked softly.

“They deserve names. And care.” Orochimaru said, barely audible. “They’re children. Children need caring for. Whatever Danzo demands and whatever the Hokage ordered.”

His voice was sharp and vicious, but his words alone tugged another growl from deep in Sakumo’s chest. What the hell was their Hokage thinking, with these experiments? How could-

“Danzo tried to order me not to touch them outside of the tending the DNA-splicing and examinations; even when they began to die, when their mokuton ripped itself out of them, he refuses to change anything about the parameters, no matter how I argued this is not even accomplishing anything useful. . .”

Sakumo growled again, wrapping his arms more snugly around his mate.

Chapter 64: Kept (Stolen Shrublet)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Shudders of horror continued to run through Sakumo after Orochimaru had stopped speaking. He hugged his mate tighter. Orochimaru was shaking and still scented of tears and the same helpless fury that had tainted his voice. Sakumo crooned to his mate, stroking soothingly, nuzzling Orochimaru’s shoulder and neck and rocking them both gently back and forth as Orochimaru slowly began to calm.

“So,” Sakumo said eventually, quiet, “what do we do?”

Orochimaru made a soft sound, fingers twitching against Tenzou’s shoulder.

“I gather you weren’t supposed to take him, but he clearly cannot go back,” Sakumo growled softly at the very thought, and wondered again what the hell their Hokage, Danzo, anyone involved in orchestrating this project and the orders Orochimaru had been bound by, had been thinking, “what’s the plan?”

Orochimaru shivered, leaning against his arm, smoothing one hand over the sleeping baby’s side. “I. . .”

“Dad? Mama?”

Sakumo’s head snapped up and Orochimaru tensed against his side. Kakashi crept in the doorway, heading towards them. “Kakashi! Cub, what are you doing up?” Sakumo asked, swallowing as he glanced at the baby in his mate’s lap.

“Cubling,” Orochimaru said as Kakashi approached, his voice only barely steadier or smoother than it had been as he explained the stolen infant he held to Sakumo, “you should be asleep.”

“New brother?” Kakashi said curiously, peering into his mother’s lap, little nose twitching as he leaned close to the baby. Sakumo twitched. “Hiran said his parents brought home a baby brother. I have? Mine?” he asked, looking up at them.

Sakumo made a considering noise, tightening his arm around his mate, and tilted his head to meet Orochimaru’s eyes. They widened. Sakumo raised his eyebrows and shrugged one shoulder. They had the baby here; they had one cub already and they’d planned for - hoped for - another, at least, before they’d been prevented . . . and now his mate had brought home an infant he had clearly already bonded with, a cub who desperately needed a pack.

And their curious cub rather needed an answer. Kakashi whined curiously, snuffling closer to Tenzou’s dark hair. “Mama?”

“Cubling. . .” Orochimaru said slowly.

“New brother smells funny. Babies smell funny?” Kakashi guessed, and Sakumo laughed a little helplessly, hiding his face in his mate’s shoulder.

Orochimaru shuddered and leaned into him.

“We wanted another cub, lovely.” Sakumo said softly, too quiet for Kakashi to hear as he raised his head to nuzzle Orochimaru’s ear, “shall we keep him?”

Orochimaru looked at Sakumo, swallowing thickly, then back at the baby in his lap, and to their cub watching with sleepy but curious eyes. “Yes.” Orochimaru said softly. “Yes, he’s ours.”

“Your brother will smell more like pack once he’s been home for a little while, cub.” Sakumo assured Kakashi, who nodded, content with the explanation. Then he held his arms up to Sakumo, whining softly.

Sakumo pulled his cub - his eldest, he thought with a little giddy, disbelieving flutter - into his lap, letting him get a better look at Tenzou.

Chapter 65: Wonder (Stolen Shrublet)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“So we have another cub now.” Sakumo observed, settling Kakashi - who didn’t so much as twitch; he should have been asleep a couple of hours earlier, even discounting the tiring excitement of meeting Tenzou - near the centre of their futon.

“We do.” Orochimaru’s throat tightened as his arms tightened around Tenzou. Tenzou who was his, who he would never have to walk away from again, leaving him in the lab and simply hoping he would still live when Orochimaru returned, who- He bowed his head, swallowing thickly, and rocked Tenzou more for his own comfort than the baby’s. “You. . .” He looked up at his mate. “You’re happy to . . . to have him be ours? To take him?”

Sakumo hurriedly crossed to them, wrapping his arms around Orochimaru and Tenzou both with a contented little rumble that soothed Orochimaru’s jangled nerves. “Oh lovely. Yes. I. . .” He snorted a laugh. “I was not expecting, could never have, but. . . Even if it is not the way we would have planned, we - I,” he said with a crooked grin, “. . .so wanted another cub.” He pressed his lips together, looking away for a moment.

It had hurt, both of them, putting away that hope, that plan, when Orochimaru’s new orders had taken so much of his time.

Orochimaru considered that they might yet have another by more . . . expected means, as they had Kakashi. As they had wished, discussed, for a second cub before their plans had been interrupted. He said nothing for now, however. Even if they did, it would not be for some time. Not until Tenzou was older.

Tenzou. Theirs.

Sakumo kissed his cheek and nuzzled his face, making him smile and lean into his mate’s embrace, returning the affectionate kisses and soft caresses. Beyond his heartbreak in the lab, and his wish for another child made impossible by his work there, he . . . had missed his mate, and his cubling, with the long hours and days kept away from home.

He would have to return to the lab, he knew - at least for a time; he couldn’t disappear at the same time Tenzou had, not and retain any hope of his . . . theft going unnoticed, even for a time - but . . . soon. Soon he would leave it and fuck Danzo and his ‘for the good of Konoha’. Once they had Tenzou safely settled in their family . . . and their records.

“I never could have expected you would give me another cub this way,” Sakumo said, lightly nipping his jaw, trailing two fingers over Tenzou’s round little cheek, “but perhaps I should cease to be surprised by that.”

Orochimaru hummed curiously, and Sakumo hummed back. “I never could have expected you to give me a cub the way you did the first time, either.” he said, and Orochimaru grinned. “You are a wonder, lovely.” Sakumo said, voice warm and adoring, and Orochimaru swallowed thickly and shifted to wrap an arm around him in return.

“I love you.” Orochimaru said quietly, closing his eyes and nudging up against Sakumo’s cheek.

Chapter 66: Spoons and Snakes

Notes:

More Shrublet soon!

Chapter Text

“Well,” Dan said, lips twitching, as he watched the now very chastened chuunin make a rather hasty retreat, “I also have a question about your mate, to be honest. Do you promise not to rip my throat out with your very impressive teeth if I ask it?”

Sakumo rolled his eyes and huffed at his friend as they made their own way out of the jounin lounge via a different exit. “And what do you want to know?” he asked. “Surely you’ve known him for longer than I have.” he added wryly.

“Orochimaru is . . . not a friendly person.” Dan pointed out, brows arching. “He’s never less than polite with me but I honestly don’t know whether he does more than tolerate me because Tsunade asks him to, directly or by implication.”

Sakumo laughed. “Fair enough.” he agreed. “Though I make no promises regarding keeping my teeth to myself until I hear your question.”

Dan shouldered him lightly, undaunted. “So. . . Is Orochimaru more the cuddle into your arms type or the wrap around you to shelter you with his body type?” he asked, and Sakumo was startled into even louder laughter. “Big spoon or little spoon?”

He slung an arm around his friend’s shoulders. “Orochimaru is a snake, Dan.” he said, and grinned as Dan frowned.

“I am aware,” Dan said dryly, “it would be rather difficult to miss. “What does that-”

“When he curls around me,” Sakumo said, with a warm curl in his stomach, “it is a very different thing.” He hummed contentedly at the memory of sleek white scales under his hands as Orochimaru wound himself around Sakumo, squeezing snugly . . . or coiled into a heap in his lap and up his chest, more than content to be held close and basking in the warmth of Sakumo’s body beneath him.

“. . .your relationship is so strange.” Dan said lightly.

Chapter 67: Wolfpile

Chapter Text

Orochimaru shifted a little, stretching his legs out before him as his son trotted towards him. Kakashi all but tumbled into his lap, paws skidding over Orochimaru’s yukata, yipping happily as he scrambled up.

Orochimaru laughed softly and caught him close, ruffling his ears and kissing his brow. He whined happily, tail wagging, and flopped himself down across Orochimaru’s lap with a wide yawn.

His father followed at a more sedate pace, keeping to one side of Orochimaru’s legs but bowing his head to nuzzle Orochimaru affectionately as he came closer. Orochimaru reached up and smoothed a hand over his mate’s jaw and neck, down to the thick fur over his chest. Sakumo sighed, grinning lazily, and folded his legs, settling at Orochimaru’s side and wedging himself partially between Orochimaru and the wooden beam he had been leaning against.

Orochimaru huffed and resettled himself, happy to relax against his mate’s solid warmth instead of the wood. Kakashi yawned again and squirmed in Orochimaru’s lap, shoving his head into Orochimaru’s hand as his paws splayed out.

Orochimaru tickled the edge of one perked ear and laughed when Kakashi twitched and snapped at his fingers playfully, running them over his blunt muzzle. Kakashi licked and nibbled at them, then put his head down, quickly going limp under Orochimaru’s stroking hands. He absently plucked a few bits of dead leaves and bark out of Kakashi’s fluffy fur, flicking them aside.

Sakumo sighed, the deep breath moving them both, and Orochimaru shifted a little to curl against him, nestling into his thick fur. Sakumo raised his head and nudged his muzzle lightly against Orochimaru’s arm, eyes heavy-lidded with lazy contentment.

Chapter 68: Tiny Brother (Stolen Shrublet)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Dad. Daaad.” Kakashi whined, stretching up as far as he could and clinging to Sakumo’s pants. “Dad. Dad, see tiny brother?”

Sakumo’s gaze flicked up from his cub as he heard the soft sound of his mate stifling laughter, and his lips quirked. Orochimaru’s eyes were warm with love and Sakumo had swallow against the sudden thick feeling in his throat, chest tightening.

Dad!

Sakumo laughed and shook his head slightly. “Of course, cub.” he told Kakashi, shifting carefully and kneeling, letting Kakashi get a proper look at his new brother again.

Kakashi whined, almost quivering, eyes wide. Orochimaru swept across the room and curled down onto the floor behind him, resting a hand on his back, meeting Sakumo’s eyes briefly. Sakumo grinned, and Orochimaru smiled back, then spread out a thick blanket on the floor, arching a brow at Sakumo.

He sighed, but put Tenzou down on it. Kakashi followed, little nose twitching as he sniffed, then got down almost flat on the blanket himself. He hesitated, glancing up.

“You can.” Sakumo allowed, and Kakashi wriggled up even closer to Tenzou, snuffling and pressing his nose against the baby. Sakumo stifled a laugh - it was a natural gesture; how he got a view of the world, but it was dreadfully cute - and leaned into his mate’s hand sliding up his spine.

“Smells funny.” Kakashi opined, leaning up and licking Tenzou’s cheek.

Tenzou made a little startled sound, kicking his feet.

“He’ll smell like pack soon enough.” Orochimaru said as Kakashi leaned over him and stared into his dark eyes.

“Hello, tiny brother.” Kakashi said solemnly, and Orochimaru leaned into Sakumo, hiding his face against Sakumo’s shoulder. He understood the impulse. It was . . . precious. “I Kashi.”

“Your brother’s name is Tenzou, cubling.” Orochimaru said, his voice a little wavery.

“Tenzou.” Kakashi said, almost perfect. He nuzzled Tenzou’s shoulder and cuddled close to him. “My tiny brother.” he said softly.

Sakumo swallowed against the painful lump in his throat, eyes prickling a little.

Chapter 69: Needs Must (Stolen Shrublet)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“I have to go.” Orochimaru said, voice low, eyes on the cubs curled up in the floor not far away. Kakashi had grown bored for a while and run off to play, but kept returning to peek at his ‘tiny brother’, and had settled beside him again not long before.

“I. . . I know.” Sakumo said, though he hated it even more than he had when all he’d known was that his mate was gone long hours, came back scrupulously clean - too clean to scent anything from him, unnerving - and was often sad or angry or both after. “Be careful.” he requested, turning towards his mate fully.

Orochimaru took a breath, then sighed, winding his fingers into Sakumo’s shirt and tugging lightly. “I will. I can do this.” He snorted. “Knowing Tenzou, at least, is safe, will make it . . . a little easier today.” he added, though his mouth twisted unhappily.

Sakumo growled softly, but nodded acknowledgement.

“Will you be all right?” Orochimaru asked, and Sakumo hummed, cocking his head. “With the two of them.” Orochimaru clarified, tilting his head towards the cubs.

Sakumo felt his lips twitch. “I’ll be fine. We’ll be fine. Waiting for you.” he added, tugging his mate closer and kissing him at one corner of his mouth.

“Mm.” Orochimaru eyed him, but nodded. He cupped Sakumo’s face, kissing him again, leaning bodily into him, and Sakumo wrapped his arms around his mate, all but crushing him in close.

Chapter 70: Day's End (Stolen Shrublet)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru held himself tightly under control until his own door was firmly shut behind him, as he had been all day. Though he had very nearly lost his temper twice. He thought giving way to his impulses once - even only to steal Tenzou away - had made it more difficult to hold back today, faced with the horrors and stupidity. But he had.

But now. . .

Orochimaru closed his eyes and pressed his back hard against the door, covering his mouth with one hand and swallowing back a sound. Another of the children had died today and Orochimaru couldn’t help him, as Orochimaru had been unable to help any of them. And he had imagined Tenzou, and felt a cry welling up in his throat, though he knew - hoped - Tenzou was safe at home with Sakumo and Kakashi.

“Lovely!” Sakumo greeted almost immediately, and Orochimaru’s eyes opened. He took a breath and it caught on a sob. “Oh, Orochimaru.” Sakumo’s expression softened from a wide smile to regret and sympathy as he pulled Orochimaru into his arms.

Orochimaru let himself be moved, then hugged tight, returning the embrace clingily. He tilted his head aside as Sakumo nuzzled him, following his cheek and jaw.

“The cublings?” Orochimaru asked, and Sakumo hugged him tighter.

“They’re fine, lovely.” Sakumo promised. “Kakashi is still enamoured of his ‘tiny brother’,” he added fondly, “and I think Tenzou missed his Mama while you were gone, but he was mostly quiet.”

Orochimaru nodded faintly, moving along with Sakumo and then, when he nudged, going to sit on the couch. Sakumo was back in a few moments, and had Tenzou tucked into Orochimaru’s arms almost before he realised it. Orochimaru cradled him close, resolutely putting the few remaining - doomed - mokuton children out of his mind. He could do nothing for them and had known it already. Tenzou was safe. Tenzou was his. He crooned.

“Kakashi,” Orochimaru heard his mate in the next room, “Mama is home; why don’t you go give him a hug?”

“Mama!” Kakashi cried almost immediately, running through the doorway and straight to the couch, scrambling up as Orochimaru freed one arm to catch him. Kakashi snuggled against his side, warm and all but tangibly happy. “Mama home.”

“Yes, cubling.” Orochimaru said, cuddling both of his children close. He looked up at his mate, and smiled a little more at the fond look on Sakumo’s face. “I’m home.”

He spent most of the evening holding Tenzou, whose tiny chakra web was reassuringly steady, and who seemed quite happy to be held and kissed and even to be snuffled at and nudged by his new brother. The little time Orochimaru ceded Tenzou to his mate, or simply to put him down for a time, he found his arms full of Kakashi, and held him just as snugly, though he was less happy to be held for so long as the baby.

Kakashi snuggled into him all the same, however, and clung even more determinedly at bedtime. Orochimaru curled around him happily and dozed for a time, mate and children all safe and close.

Then, knowing he had work to do, Orochimaru gingerly rose without disturbing them and made his way through the house to his workroom, then to the bookshelf.

Chapter 71: Iryou Jutsu (Stolen Shrublet)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo groaned, leaning heavily against the doorframe with one arm raised to the level of his brow. “What are you doing, lovely?” he asked, rubbing his face with his free hand.

“Sorry, darling.” Orochimaru said absently, not looking up from the book he was paging through. He raised one hand and tucked a sweeping lock of his hair behind his ear, turning another page, mouth turned into a thoughtful frown.

Sakumo tilted his head - the bedroom was quiet behind him, the cubs almost certainly still sleeping - and stepped through fully. “What are you doing?” he repeated as he approached.

Orochimaru raised his head. He looked tired as well, though he was clearly focused, and he hadn’t sounded it. “. . .iryou jutsu. I’m looking for one.”

Sakumo blinked slowly. “I thought you knew all that were of particular interest to you already. And some that aren’t.” The experiments Orochimaru had detailed to him late the night before, over their new cub, had required some expansion of those areas of his knowledge.

Orochimaru hummed noncommittally.

Sakumo brushed a hand over his shoulder, and he slouched forwards a little, rubbing his face. “I do.” he admitted. “Or . . . I did. I learned more for Kakashi,” he paused, lips twitching towards a smile, “before and after. I learned more for Tenzou,” a pained twist that was quickly gone, “before, and now. . .”

“What do you think he needs?” Sakumo asked, sinking to rest his weight against the desk, his focus squarely on his mate’s face as he started to feel a little more awake. If their cub needed anything else, if more was wrong than Sakumo already knew. . .

“I’m . . . looking for an iryou jutsu that will let me trick my body into readiness for nursing.” Orochimaru admitted, and Sakumo blinked.

“He’s . . . doing well as it is.” Sakumo pointed out gently. “As well as can be expected, perhaps more.”

Orochimaru’s jaw set stubbornly and Sakumo knew there was no way he would budge on this, whatever the reason he had decided it in the first place. “I nursed Kakashi, I’ll do the same for his brother.” he said firmly. “And. . .” He took a breath. “I think . . . it will settle him more. It will definitely make him smell like pack,” Orochimaru sent him a look, “and more quickly.”

“That it will.” Sakumo agreed, and squeezed his mate’s shoulder. “It’s not necessary, not for that and not for his health.”

“It will be safer, though.” Orochimaru said softly. “If we mean to pass him off as ours - as always having been ours, born of my body. . .” he said, meeting Sakumo’s eyes. “I nursed Kakashi. . .”

“You’ll nurse his brother.” Sakumo murmured, and nodded understanding. And, while there might be iryou jutsu to induce lactation, they were not common knowledge; that Orochimaru was nursing Tenzou would only underline that he must be their son for many.

Chapter 72: Healthy (Stolen Shrublet)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Mama. Mama.”

Orochimaru stirred, raising a hand to his son. “What is it, little one?” he asked sleepily, squinting.

“Brother.” Kakashi said, and Orochimaru’s heart raced as lingering sleepiness was thrown aside and he bolted upright.

“Tenzou? What-” Orochimaru broke off, looking down at Kakashi, who was crouched beside Tenzou. He had hold of Kakashi’s arm and was gumming at his fingers, quiet and squirmy but not in any apparent distress. “Are you all right, Kakashi?” Orochimaru asked, brushing his fingers over his elder son’s face.

Kakashi smiled and nodded, then looked down at Tenzou, cocking his head.

Orochimaru took a few slow breaths to calm himself, then picked Tenzou up, cradling him close and pulling Kakashi’s hand out of his mouth. Tenzou squirmed harder, face screwing up and going red. Orochimaru crooned, rocking his son soothingly as he slid his yukata aside, twitching at the dull ache he wasn’t quite used to again yet.

“He’s hungry.” Orochimaru supplied to Kakashi, hooking a fingertip in Tenzou’s mouth as he shifted his arms around the tiny body to bring him up and get him situated. Tenzou made soft distressed sounds and rubbed his face aimlessly against Orochimaru’s chest until he guided Tenzou to a nipple. He wasn’t quite used to this yet either, though once he latched on-

Orochimaru’s breath caught. He took a couple of deep breaths as Tenzou began to suckle and he felt his milk let down with a warm, tight pulse. Tenzou wriggled in his arms and settled in, eyes closed and one tiny fist curled against Orochimaru’s breastbone.

Kakashi inched closer with wide eyes, and Orochimaru smiled, freeing one arm and brushing his hand over Kakashi’s hair, then down his back with a light nudge. Kakashi grinned up at him, accepting the invitation to come nearer and peering down at his brother, watching curiously.

“Tiny brother happy?” Kakashi asked, and Orochimaru smiled slightly.

“Oh, I believe so.” Orochimaru said idly, rubbing Kakashi’s back and side. “Tenzou doesn’t take very much to be happy, not right now.”

Kakashi made a thoughtful sound, nodding, and Orochimaru sighed, closing his eyes.

“Mama.” Kakashi said, and Orochimaru looked at him again. “Milk. Cuddles?”

Orochimaru smiled again, fighting both the prick of tears and a hot flare of temper. His cub could better guess what an infant needed to be healthy than Danzo. “Yes, Kakashi. He needs his family, and feeding, and to feel us close to him.” Kakashi nodded understanding, nudging a fraction closer to them both. Orochimaru shifted, back aching slightly at the lack of support where he sat, and stroked his elder son’s side again.

Notes:

next in arc

 

DarkLolita drew fanart for this chapter, here~

Chapter 73: Sleep (Stolen Shrublet)

Chapter Text

Sakumo went from lazy warmth to an icy wash of worry as he reached out and found empty space where he’d anticipated his mate and cub - cubs - to be. He calmed quickly as he shot up and then spotted Orochimaru leaning against the wall, their new cub in his lap and Kakashi curled up at his side, asleep with his head lolling against Orochimaru’s ribs.

Though his head was tilted at an uncomfortable-looking angle, Orochimaru seemed to be asleep as well, one arm wrapped around Kakashi, holding him close, the other hand splayed over Tenzou’s tiny chest.

Sakumo slid from the futon and moved over to them. “Hello, my lovely.” he said softly, brushing Orochimaru’s cheek as he startled awake. It was a muted reaction, and by the slow flicker of golden eyes opening Sakumo guessed his mate had recognised him before even fully waking. “Why don’t you lie down again and sleep some more?” he suggested.

Orochimaru’s eyelids drooped as he gave a slow nod. He glanced down at the cubs, and Sakumo leaned in to brush a kiss to his cheek, then reached for Kakashi. He stirred, with a soft whine, when Sakumo scooped him up, but didn’t wake. Orochimaru sighed, lips curving as he watched Sakumo return their cub to their bed.

Sakumo smoothed a hand over Kakashi’s back, settling him in, then returned to his mate, as Orochimaru hadn’t moved. He tilted his head up, making a soft sound, and Sakumo leaned close and kissed him, heart aching. Though he . . . hadn’t wished even to think it, for a time he had felt like he was losing his beloved mate. To secrets or hurt or . . . what he knew not, but Orochimaru had felt as though he were slipping away all the same.

That he had come back made Sakumo want to cry; that he had brought with him a new cub. . . Well, Sakumo would hardly have been able to guess at it, but he already loved their new little one.

“Shall I take him?” Sakumo asked, and Orochimaru sighed, nodding. Sakumo gently took Tenzou up himself, holding him close and offering his free hand to his mate. Orochimaru gave him a dubious look, but smiled and accepted it, dropping a kiss to one corner of Sakumo’s mouth before moving away.

Sakumo looked down as Tenzou made a soft fussy sound and rooted against his chest, tiny fingers grasping at nothing. “Lovely,” Sakumo said softly as Orochimaru gently stroked Kakashi’s hair, and he looked up, “he’s hungry.”

Orochimaru smiled faintly and slid his yukata open, then let it fall from one shoulder entirely before holding his arms out. Sakumo returned their cub to his mate, stretching out on his belly and watching fondly as Orochimaru guided Tenzou to nurse, then hummed and rocked the little one as he suckled, making soft gurgling sounds.

Orochimaru wavered a little, and Sakumo realised abruptly why they had been by the wall when he woke - possibly they should move the futon, he thought; later. He pushed himself up again and moved behind his mate, offering himself to lean against, and Orochimaru shifted, cuddling into the curve of Sakumo’s arm wrapping around him.

Sakumo nuzzled his hair and watched their little one nurse until he was sated, and Orochimaru had fallen asleep against his shoulder. Sakumo smiled, amused and warm and fond, and carefully moved to take Tenzou himself and nudge Orochimaru until he was comfortably lying down. Kakashi snuggled into his mother’s warmth almost immediately, whining happily in his sleep.

Smiling, Sakumo crooned to Tenzou and burped him, then simply held him as - full and content - he fell asleep again, leaving Sakumo alone awake, watching over his sleeping family.

Chapter 74: Wrestling Wolves and Snuggling Sapling

Notes:

Not Stolen Shrublet today, but have some toddler Tenzou and rambunctious Kakashi~

Chapter Text

“Kashi! Kashi!

Orochimaru lifted his head, frowning, at the plaintive, distressed tone from his youngest. He quickly threaded through the house to the back garden, reassured as he passed the comfortably lounging but alert figure of his mate watching over the children.

Kakashi loped towards his brother, gangling legs covering the ground much faster than Tenzou’s toddling could, and skidded to a stop just before he would have bowled them both over. Tenzou laughed happily and Kakashi barked, licking his face and nuzzling at him affectionately, pushing against his shoulder.

Tenzou wobbled and clung to his fur. “Kashi!” he cried again, barely keeping his feet by dint of his hold on his brother. Kakashi’s tail wagged and he nudged Tenzou more gently, guiding him back towards the house. Kakashi walked much more slowly this time, allowing Tenzou to hold on to him as they crossed the grass.

Orochimaru knelt as they approached, scooping Tenzou into his arms as Kakashi pounced on Sakumo. He rolled over with a mournful wail that made Kakashi bark and squirm, both their tails wagging as Sakumo kicked his paws up, ‘collapsing’ dramatically under Kakashi’s gentle attack.

Tenzou snuggled into Orochimaru’s chest, fingers curling into his shirt, and grinned up at Orochimaru as he stroked his son’s hair. “Are you all right, my little one?” he asked, a gentle flare of his chakra settling Tenzou’s own restlessly tangled chakra.

Tenzou sighed, leaning more heavily against him. “Tired Mama.” he said after a moment, looking at Sakumo and Kakashi. Kakashi was certainly not tired himself, near to bouncing as he slid off Sakumo’s ribs and then pounced on him again, small muzzle shoving up into the thick ruff around his throat with a soft growl.

Tenzou made no move towards them, sighing and tucking his head up under Orochimaru’s chin. He hummed softly, rubbing his son’s back.

Kakashi barked and then caught one of his father’s ears in his teeth. Orochimaru winced, but Sakumo only let out another soft, mournful sound and then rolled, twisting fluidly to slide one paw beneath Kakashi’s ribs and flip him gently.

Orochimaru shook his head at the pair of them. “Would you like to come and help me inside?” he asked Tenzou, making him smile brightly. Orochimaru smiled back, hugging him gently and rising with him held close.

Tenzou delightedly set to ‘sorting’ the baubles and slips of scrap paper Orochimaru settled him down to, though it wasn’t long before he was nodding off, sliding sideways in his seat. Orochimaru picked him up again, supporting him with one arm and switching from his safe, but labour-intensive project to reading the book on jutsu theory he’d recently acquired.

Chapter 75: Cramps and Cravings

Notes:

If you're fond of the Stolen Shrublet arc, particularly if you've wished for more of angry parents or Dealing With Danzo/Root in that arc, you might enjoy the story I posted yesterday, Pack Unbound.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo crooned, wrapping his arm more tightly around his mate and nuzzling up his side to his lower ribs. Orochimaru shifted restlessly and gave a thin hiss. Sakumo rumbled in return and kissed his ribs, nuzzling him again.

“Wolf-heart.” Orochimaru said, shifting again, with a deeper, sharper hiss as his back arched. Sakumo rumbled again, not raising his head. “Sakumo!”

Sakumo twitched, shoulders tensing, and glanced up. Orochimaru swatted his shoulder, shoving more than anything, wriggling under him and in his arms pointedly. “. . .mate?”

Get off!” Orochimaru demanded, flustered and huffy. Sakumo quickly withdrew, swallowing down a whine but unable to keep the downcast frown from his face. “I hurt and you’re . . . clinging and pushing and it’s uncomfortable.” Orochimaru said sharply, rolling his shoulders and shifting his hips. “And I’m hungry.” he added, lower, grumbling.

“What would you like?” Sakumo asked, cocking his head and reaching out to slide a gentle hand over Orochimaru’s thigh. He bared his long fangs but settled once more under Sakumo’s light touch, tense muscles easing somewhat.

“Nothing reasonable.” Orochimaru said with a sigh, rolling onto his side with a wince and curling forwards around the swell of their growing cub, tucking himself against the pillows.

Sakumo leaned closer and nuzzled Orochimaru’s shoulder, then kissed his jaw lightly. “What do you want, lovely?” he asked again, soft, even as his mate turned a dubious look up at him. He smiled.

Notes:

Leah asked for something like this one; Oro being snappy and tetchy, bossing Sakumo around and suffering pregnancy cravings and aches.

Chapter 76: Territory Lines

Chapter Text

“I can’t let you pass.”

Sakumo paused, one paw in the air, and tilted his head, inspecting the rather self-important looking bitch who had accosted him. A dog paced up from his other side, barking a warning note, and Sakumo bared one fang, irritated.

“Beyond is not only out of our territory but wandering into forest frequented by naga.” the dog warned, shaking himself.

Sakumo snorted, stretching his front legs lazily. “Oh no.” he said dryly. “Wouldn’t want that.”

He glimpsed a small, brilliant violet snake in the lower canopy not far beyond the boundary the patrolling wolves were attempting to enforce. It eyed him, and Sakumo raised his tail and took a few paces forwards, neatly side-slipping the dog’s lunge for him, barking in amusement as he leapt over the bitch and called lightning.

Gently.

Just enough to keep either of the other wolves from pursuing him as electricity danced over his coat and sparked from his paws. Sakumo fell into an easy lope, not surprised when a soft weight dropped to land on his shoulders, then looped around his neck, ignoring the lightnings dancing in his fur save to give a low hiss of almost-complaint.

He rumbled a greeting to his mate’s little mundane cousin. She hissed another grumble but squeezed companionably and murmured direction to him.

Sakumo altered his path accordingly, and her guidance had him coming upon a clearing filled with silvery-white scales, nearly running into the thick band of one coil. He leapt over it with only a little scrambling to keep his paws as he landed on the grass on the far side.

Orochimaru shifted, muscles rippling beneath gleaming scales, and Sakumo found himself cradled in gently tightening coils. He shifted shape as his mate’s upper body came into view, skin the same silvery white as his scales save for the streaks of dusky violet markings, and otherwise the match for Sakumo’s current shape. He grinned, stretching out his arms.

Orochimaru smiled sharply in response, showing the tips of wicked fangs, and coiled his upper body close, letting Sakumo - already all but swallowed up in his mate’s body - wrap him in an embrace in return, greeting him with a kiss.

Sakumo ran his fingers through Orochimaru’s hair as they broke apart, Orochimaru nosing his cheek gently. “Missed you, lovely.” he murmured.

“And I you, my heart.” Orochimaru said softly, fingers trailing over Sakumo’s chest and resting over his fluttering heart.

Chapter 77: Winter Morning

Chapter Text

“Time to get up!” Sakumo called, for the second time, as he made his way into his cub’s room. Kakashi’s futon was a still heap of thick blankets. He shook his head and knelt beside it. “Come on, cub. You need to get up.”

“Nope. Can’t. I’m hibernating.” Kakashi said from under the kakebuton, and Sakumo paused, stifling laughter.

“Me too. Can’t move.” Tenzou piped up, startling him. He hadn’t realised that Tenzou was tucked into his brother’s futon as well, beneath the heavy layers of winter bedding.

“Nice try, cubs,” Sakumo said, running a hand over a fold in the kakebuton, feeling for a limb or back beneath, “but viperwolves don’t hibernate. Nor do little shrubs!” he teased as he tugged the kakebuton back, leaning in close with a growl that made Tenzou giggle and flail.

Kakashi controlled himself better, tucking back down further into the part of the kakebuton Sakumo hadn’t lifted, but he was still grinning, little fangs that were still a bit large for his mouth pricking his lower lip. Tenzou squirmed away from Sakumo and snuggled against his brother’s chest, and Kakashi nuzzled his hair, hugging him there.

“Not even for Dad?” Sakumo made a theatrically sad face at them and Kakashi giggled, but shook his head. “Or breakfast? It’s waiting for you. It’ll get cold. . .”

Kakashi huffed, squirming. He was about as fond of food that had gone cold as his mother.

Kakashi sighed, and Sakumo held out his arms, smiling at his cubs. Kakashi nudged Tenzou, who agreeably climbed up and into Sakumo’s arms as Kakashi sat up and stretched, shivering. Sakumo snuggled Tenzou tight, then looped one arm around Kakashi and tugged him in as well, nuzzling his hair as he pressed close.

Chapter 78: Lord's Farewell (wolf & hime)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Oh good! You’re back!” Tsunade greeted with a grin. “And safely.”

“And with the information, good job.” Jiraiya agreed, patting Tsunade on the back as they approached. “Been getting your dispatches.”

“We’ve more as well.” Sakumo supplied, with a glance for who might be nearby as he automatically extended his hand to help Orochimaru down. He realised what he had done a moment too late to stop himself, and suppressed a wince.

Orochimaru smirked, but took his hand and stepped closer.

“Get nice and cosy on your mission, then?” Jiraiya laughed.

“And I shall have to bid farewell to my hime,” Sakumo said with an awkward smile, “I hope I wasn’t too dreadful a partner, though I know our mission required talents far outside my specialties.”

“Mm. . . I suppose you shall.” Orochimaru said, arching one brow.

“Won’t be a lord any more!” Jiraiya agreed, clapping him on the shoulder and nudging him and Orochimaru both towards one of the tents. “And you can find a more,” he cleared his throat with a snicker, “palatable lady.”

Jiraiya suddenly wheezed, doubling over, as Orochimaru - still wearing one of the fine kimono; the first Sakumo had seen him in, hair pinned up with the same fuji kanzashi - swept past him. Tsunade followed, ignoring Jiraiya. “I’d wager you’d like to get into some more comfortable clothing, though.” she observed as she and Orochimaru stepped inside.

“Oh, I don’t know,” Orochimaru said dryly, “it’s not so bad. My own clothes,” he added after a beat, “would be preferable, however.”

“I’m sure a number of things would be preferable, now you actually have your choices in them.” Tsunade said, laughing, only to pause, cocking her head, as Orochimaru shot her some kind of look that was entirely unreadable to Sakumo. He’d learned to pick up the nuances in some of Orochimaru’s expressions - and tried not to be too pleased by the slight smiles and warm regard when he got it right - but he was . . . a complex man.

Sakumo tried not to frown too obviously, reminding himself it had been a mission and Orochimaru merely an excellent partner to work with. It was exactly as it should be, and as he had expected. It was time to say goodbye.

Notes:

This is not the final piece of Wolf & Hime, I promise!

next in arc

Chapter 79: Missing

Chapter Text

It took Sakumo three days to realise his mate wasn’t simply avoiding him - which had been upsetting enough - Orochimaru wasn’t coming home. It took him an hour, curled around Kakashi, nose pressed in his cub’s hair, to steady himself enough to do anything about it.

He left Kakashi in Makki’s care, with only a little wheedling necessary, and started looking. He had no idea where his mate had been working, and likely that was closed down now in any case; Orochimaru wouldn’t be at the training fields, and he never lingered in the village centre without reason.

Sakumo tracked him by scent, painstakingly going back over trails that crossed and wound seemingly aimlessly, ignoring confused civilians and the attempted interruption of several comrades. It was not an easy task, but there were few scents he knew so well - his cub, his long-gone mother perhaps, Yura who had grown up at his side - and Sakumo was a hunting wolf.

Orochimaru froze when he opened the door, but at least he didn’t lash out, or close it again. Sakumo whined thoughtlessly, moving closer, and Orochimaru tensed even more.

“Lovely. . .” Sakumo said, his throat tight. “Is this where you’ve been? Why-” He paused, catching his breath. “Why have you not been at home?” he asked, breathing in, shuddering as his mate’s scent - bitter and marred with that of a foreign place, but fresh, present - reached his nose.

Orochimaru barely looked at him, golden eyes cutting away. “Didn’t they tell you what I did?” he said roughly.

“Orochimaru?” Sakumo questioned, taking a step closer and reaching out. Orochimaru swayed towards him for a moment, then jerked away. Sakumo lunged, catching hold of his mate. Orochimaru stiffened, then fell into him, fingers twisting into his shirt. “Yes,” he said, and paused to take a deeper breath, “yes, I know. Why . . . I need you. Please. It hurt,” he hugged Orochimaru tighter as he let out a thin sound, “I can see that,” he added, because his mate was clearly troubled, and Sakumo had seen that for weeks, “but we need you, lovely.”

Orochimaru tensed, pulling away just a little, enough to meet Sakumo’s eyes. He kept his mate’s gaze, not loosening his grip. Orochimaru took a breath, then closed his eyes and wrapped his arms around Sakumo. “I. . .” he began, then stopped.

“Take me home?” Orochimaru requested in a soft tone, and Sakumo hugged his mate tighter, a shiver of relief lighting in his veins.

He pulled Orochimaru out the still-open door without pause, taking the most direct route across the village to his - their - home, warm and welcoming.

“Mama!” Kakashi greeted happily, rolling over and pushing himself up to his feet from where he’d been lying against Makki’s side.

Sakumo’s heart ached as he watched Orochimaru freeze, then tremble before he dove for their cub with the speed of one of his summons in a strike. He swept Kakashi into his arms, still shaking, and curled around him there on the floor.

Kakashi wriggled and whined happily, tucking his head up under his Mama’s jaw, and Orochimaru’s head bowed, eyes closed and tears glittering in his lashes. Sakumo went to them and tucked himself close against his mate’s back, leaning into him and wrapping them both in his arms, nuzzling Orochimaru’s shoulder and crooning soothingly.

“Love you, mate.” Sakumo said softly, hugging Orochimaru close, and he curled into the embrace even as Sakumo nearly dragged his mate into his lap, Kakashi a warm, giggling weight in his arms.

“Love you both.” Orochimaru said, voice thready, and stroked Kakashi’s hair with a shaking hand. He nuzzled Orochimaru’s wrist and settled down again with a wordless, affectionate whine.

Chapter 80: Tenzou

Chapter Text

“Hush, cub,” Sakumo crooned, rocking the baby as he moved, slow and even, “I’m right here,” he soothed, lifting the boy to nuzzle his brow, then settling him back against his chest, “and I’m not going anywhere.”

Orochimaru slid a hand over his mouth, leaning sideways against the doorframe and watching his mate coddling their new little one. Tenzou slowly eased from his soft cries - he had never cried loudly; Orochimaru wasn’t sure if it was natural or because his time in the Root facility had already taught him not to - and flailing, staring up at Sakumo’s face with rapt eyes.

Sakumo crooned wordlessly and then began to sing, soft and soothing. Orochimaru’s chest tightened, warm and just shy of painful.

He stepped out of the doorway as Sakumo circled the room again, and Sakumo’s head flew up in startlement. His expression softened again immediately as he met Orochimaru’s eyes, lips curling as he continued his lullaby. Tenzou was limp against his chest now, one tiny hand caught in his shirt and huge dark eyes still fixed on Sakumo’s face.

Orochimaru moved to them, trailing a light caress over Tenzou’s cheek and leaning over him to kiss Sakumo’s. Sakumo nuzzled him, still singing, and then bowed his head to look down at Tenzou, gaze every bit as soft and possessive as it had been when Kakashi had been this age, as Orochimaru would have expected had Tenzou been the child born of their blood they had planned. Orochimaru looked down at the baby.

Theirs.

Orochimaru smiled, heart aching, but for once in months of conflicted, angry upset, only with the staggering depths of the love he felt for his family.

Chapter 81: D-Rank (sunshine genin)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Minato passed over his approval for solo assignments - signed by Jiraiya-sensei, though Minato wasn’t entirely sure he’d listened to Minato’s explanation of why he wanted it and promises not to abuse it - to be filed, then collected a D-rank mission scroll. He fought not to bounce as he trotted out of the Tower, opening it. It listed off a set of household cleaning tasks and chores needed in preparation for autumn deepening into winter.

Easy enough . . . hopefully. Minato knew how to keep a house, at least. He ran across the village, locating the house closer to the outskirts on a large piece of property. He checked himself over absently, then presented himself at the door, knocking.

He startled a moment later when the door was opened by Jiraiya-sensei’s friend and old teammate Orochimaru, again wearing a sling cradling a baby across his chest, as he had been when Jiraiya-sensei introduced them to him in the village recently. Minato’s eyes lingered on the baby, but he raised his head and bowed slightly, holding out the mission scroll by way of explanation. “I’m here to help! Ah, I’m Namikaze Minato.” he added.

Orochimaru smiled faintly. “Very good. I’m Orochimaru, and this is Kakashi. Come in.” He stepped aside and moved into the house, and Minato followed obligingly, grinning. “I’ll direct you as needed; Kakashi makes things a bit more difficult, and his father is on a mission at the moment.”

“Sure!” Minato nodded, tucking the scroll away and following Orochimaru deeper into the house, listening closely to his instructions.

The tasks were indeed easy enough, and whatever Jiraiya-sensei had said about Orochimaru, Minato found him soft-spoken and easy to talk to, and for the few tasks that were simply too big for Minato to manage without another pair of hands, he stepped in easily. The baby - Kakashi - was quiet and snuggled against his . . . father? mother? most of the time, even when he was awake. Orochimaru caught his curious glances and Minato blushed, but Orochimaru only explained that Kakashi was very young - only two weeks old, which boggled Minato - and would mostly sleep a lot for a while yet.

Minato was surprised and embarrassed when Orochimaru offered him some advice with a jutsu he’d been struggling with and he realised he’d been rambling about his training, his team, and his sensei.

Orochimaru, curled in a chair with Kakashi asleep in his lap while Minato scrubbed, merely smiled at him when he apologised. “My own affinity is fuuton as well.” Orochimaru said, trailing a fingertip over his son’s face. “It speaks well of your dedication that you have gone out of your way to find yours so early. It will allow you to specialise if you choose and give you a greater understanding as you branch out.”

Minato squirmed, biting his lip as he smiled, and nodded understanding. He continued cleaning . . . but listened closely as Orochimaru spoke, grateful for the advice, knowing he was one of the strongest ninja in their village.

Chapter 82: Lesson (sunshine genin)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Have you finished?” Orochimaru called through, and Minato finished drying his hands hurriedly, sweeping his eyes over the kitchen - which had not been too bad before, but was now clean and neat, every last dish washed and in its place save for the ones sitting on the stove with dinner cooking in them.

“Yes, Orochimaru-san!” Minato returned.

“Come through here, then.”

Minato did as bade, and found Orochimaru sitting on a cushion on the floor, another waiting empty before him. He gestured Minato to that, and he sat obediently, glancing around. Kakashi was asleep in a little nest of pillows and fur with a large serpent coiled through it alongside him.

Orochimaru cleared his throat and Minato sat up straight, attention fixing on him. He smiled slightly, approving, and Minato listened raptly as he talked Minato through a largely mental exercise that had his chakra flickering in his body, and-

He opened his eyes, startled, to find his clothes billowing around him. Outside, too, as though he were channelling it . . . from himself? Or from the surrounding air? He frowned, trying to pinpoint the feeling, focus going fuzzy as he tracked it inside himself.

When he refocused, Orochimaru was watching him with thoughtfully narrowed eyes, and he ducked his head shyly. Orochimaru smiled slightly and asked what he had felt, thought, and Minato tentatively outlined the odd feelings he had noticed, still curious. As he usually did, however, Orochimaru began to neatly answer all of Minato’s wonderings in turn, prodding him to find some of the answers himself, and to work further from the ones he was given.

Eventually Kakashi woke, but after checking on him Orochimaru made no move to end his discussion with Minato, only moved the baby to the floor between them. Kakashi seemed content there, babbling as though contributing to the discussion and batting at his mother’s fingers when they trailed over him teasingly.

“Hello lovely!”

Minato jumped, tensing, and Orochimaru blinked, straightening a bit from where he had been leaning towards Minato and looking around just as Hatake Sakumo walked in. Minato realised he must have remained far later than he’d intended.

“Hello, wolf-heart.” Orochimaru greeted as his husband bent to nuzzle, then kiss him affectionately.

“Am I interrupting?” Sakumo asked, going to his knees and crooning to his son, scooping Kakashi up and bouncing him gently.

“Minato-kun was here helping out again,” Orochimaru supplied, stretching fluidly, “and I am afraid we may have lost track of the time. Minato-kun, as I have delayed you, would you care to stay for dinner with us?” he invited.

Minato opened his mouth to apologise, then froze. “I. . . Really?” he asked quietly.

Orochimaru eyed him, not unsympathetically, but his voice was crisp. “Of course.”

“. . .thank you.” Minato accepted, dipping his head and glancing at Sakumo, who seemed unruffled, coddling his son against his chest and making faces at him as he whined and waved his arms.

Chapter 83: Fondness (sunshine genin)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“You’re rather fond of the little sunshine genin who has been doing the D-ranks around the house, aren’t you?”

Orochimaru, half-dozing with his son pressed into his arms and his mate close at his back, startled at the unexpected question. “. . .no. He’s just a helpful genin. Who happens to be less idiotic than many of his agemates, perhaps.” he said with a little huff.

Sakumo’s amused rumble - not quite a laugh - thrummed through Orochimaru’s back and made him relax even further. “Of course. How silly of me. That’s why you’ve been keeping him back and finding more reasons to bring him here, and giving him lessons and helping him with his training while he’s here.” he said softly. “And feeding him.”

Orochimaru hissed weakly, mind flitting back over the day’s . . . lesson. He’d called Minato in for help with the laundry, which was admittedly a larger task now than it had once been, but hardly outside his capabilities at the moment, and. . .

“I’m surprised he hasn’t begun to call you sensei.” Sakumo said, his tone gentle, hugging Orochimaru lightly.

Orochimaru ducked his chin, and Sakumo hummed a little note of surprise, nuzzling his jaw. “He has. He . . . slips, sometimes.” Orochimaru said quietly. Sakumo’s arms tightened around him once more. “Jiraiya is hardly teaching them, and he’s a bright, curious student.”

“You wanted one.” Sakumo said softly.

“I couldn’t take a genin team now in any case.” Orochimaru said, shaking his head and waving it off. “Not when Kakashi is so young.” He smoothed a hand over his son’s head.

“Minato-kun. He’s clever and he wants to learn, and you wish to teach.” Sakumo said, pressing gently, and Orochimaru sighed, nudging backwards into his mate’s arms.

“I . . . perhaps.” Orochimaru allowed, cuddling Kakashi against his chest as Sakumo stroked his belly with one hand. “I enjoy teaching him. Even if I am not his sensei.”

“I can tell, lovely. I’m glad you’re happy.” Sakumo said, kissing his neck. “And it is making you happy.” He paused. “You may not be his jounin-sensei, but you are teaching him,” he said softly, “is it so bad if you allow him to acknowledge that?”

Orochi-sensei! I did it! A bright smile and brighter blue eyes, delight in a new accomplishment and excitement to show it off. . . To show it off to him, hopeful and then bouncing happily when he offered praise.

Orochimaru swallowed. It stung a little, but at the same time he . . . rather liked the title, as he rather liked the boy. “Perhaps.” he said softly, a part of him wishing he could be Minato’s sensei properly. Wishing. . .

Orochimaru sighed, cuddling into his mate’s embrace.

Chapter 84: Made Welcome (sunshine genin)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru rocked Kakashi gently as he slid his son down to cradle him more comfortably, watching the pair in the back garden. Sakumo steadied Minato’s grip, then adjusted his stance gently and walked him slowly through the kata once more.

There was a bit too much of a chill on the air, particularly for Kakashi, so Orochimaru only moved to open the shoji when it was clear they were finishing up. They had been out there all afternoon, and it was growing dark outside now. He’d come to watch them partially intending to stop them, and not only because dinner was ready.

“You look dead on your feet, cub,” Sakumo said, shaking his head and stretching his shoulders before collecting both practise tanto, “we should have called it a day earlier.”

“No, I’m good!” Minato insisted immediately, though he did look a little worn and wilted.

“There’s a spare room,” Sakumo said, ruffling the boy’s hair, “as you know, since you’re the one who cleaned it out. You should stay tonight; for dinner, obviously, but I’ll get out the spare futon for you.”

“Oh, I- You don’t have to-” Minato looked up at him with wide eyes.

“No, but I’m sure we’d feel better not sending you home so tired and so late, mm?” Sakumo said, gently nudging Minato ahead of him towards the house.

Orochimaru smiled, shifting Kakashi in his arms. “Certainly. If you would be comfortable staying with us, you are welcome to the spare room.”

“Oh!” Minato looked at him, sky blue eyes shaded with startlement. “Yes of course, I didn’t mean-”

“Then let’s have dinner, and Sakumo can set it up for you while you wash, afterwards.” Orochimaru said smoothly. Minato blinked, and Orochimaru rested a hand on his shoulder, nudging him inside. He slanted a look at his mate, and Sakumo only grinned fondly, then reached for their son.

Orochimaru let Kakashi slide into his father’s arms and followed Minato into the kitchen, lips curled into a fond smile of his own.


Orochimaru smiled as Sakumo curled on his side around their son, who babbled nonsense and tugged at his father’s hair as it fell into reach. “Speaking of the little sunshine genin. . .” Orochimaru began dryly, unwinding his sash.

“Mm?” Sakumo raised his head from where he was nuzzling Kakashi’s face and gave Orochimaru a curious look.

He raised an eyebrow. “You questioned some time ago if I was not growing fond of him?” he pointed out, and Sakumo took a breath, then let it out with nothing more than a low grumble, not quite a protest. “You were checking over the spare room yesterday.” Orochimaru observed, sliding out of his shirt and pants.

“He,” Sakumo paused, sighing and tilting his head, eyes trailing Orochimaru as he slipped into a light yukata, “is all alone at home, without even a sensei who watches over him particularly. He should have somewhere . . . better to go.”

“You wish to keep him.” Orochimaru said as he went to the futon, not yet putting out the light.

Sakumo raised a hand and smoothed it over Orochimaru’s hip as he settled. “And you don’t?” he asked softly.

Orochimaru thought about the bright boy who had so shyly taken the offered place across the house, the room nearer the front they had readied for him, and hummed as he tucked his head down, resting one hand on Kakashi’s chest for a moment. They had left Minato tucked into the futon with a heavy kakebuton over him, looking very snug as he dropped off to sleep almost before they had closed the door. He was still . . . so very young.

Sakumo made a soft sound in his throat and kissed Orochimaru’s brow, putting out the lamp and drawing the kakebuton carefully up just shy of covering Kakashi completely.

Chapter 85: Parenting (sunshine genin)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Minato shifted a bit in his comfortable tree perch, drinking from the cup of lemonade he’d brought up with him.

“I can do it!”

His gaze dropped to the boy in the little field below, struggling a bit with an axe that was a little too big for him. His father steadied his hands and supported the weight. “I know, but let me help.” he said gently, and the boy huffed but relaxed and let his father guide his hands and arms.

It was remarkably . . . familiar, Minato thought suddenly, feeling a shadow of gentle, callused hands moving over his own and steadying his forearms.

The father backed off a bit and let his son take a swing on his own, and clapped, cheering for him when he managed it without help. “I did it!” the boy said, bouncing, and his father stepped forwards again, wrapping his arms around the boy’s shoulders in a light hug.

Minato nearly dropped his cup before he steadied himself and brought it closer. Sakumo- Sakumo had hugged him like that when he mastered a new kenjutsu form Sakumo had spent a patient few hours walking him through.

Minato swallowed, folding his knees up closer as he watched the father and son in the field a little longer. Was- Was Sakumo really acting like that with . . . him?

And Orochimaru. . .

Minato remembered gentle encouragements and easy touches; a pat on the shoulder or the head, being drawn close to Orochimaru’s side briefly in something not quite a hug. . . Even- Even a comforting stroke of fingers through his hair, or hands drawing up the kakebuton to tuck him in, from either or both of them.

He knew, of course, that Orochimaru had spent far more of his own personal time teaching and talking to Minato than there was any reason for, that Sakumo had invited him into their home and taught him just because, but it had never occurred to him. . . Well, Minato had never had anyone-

Parenting him.

He swallowed, biting his lip. It didn’t quite hold down the smile that wanted to spread across his face.


“Hello!” Minato called quietly, peeking around the corner of the house, and-

“Minato-kun!” Sakumo greeted, moving to meet him and pulling him into a hug. “How was your mission?”

“It was . . . good, I think.” Minato said, biting his lip as he looked up at Sakumo.

“Oh?” Orochimaru asked, beckoning Minato with a restrained gesture. He trotted over and bobbed his head in greeting, then knelt to get closer to Kakashi, cooing a hello to the squirming baby. Orochimaru gently settled Kakashi in his arms, and Minato folded his legs as he happily cradled Kakashi close, rocking him. “Tell us about it?” Orochimaru invited, stretching and leaning back against a support post, hand sliding over Minato’s shoulder.

Notes:

Yes, it appears it took until spring at least for Minato to . . . er, notice that he'd been adopted.

 

next in arc

Chapter 86: Family (sunshine genin)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“All right, kids,” Jiraiya grinned at his team, “good job, I’ll take in the report, so . . . off with you until our next mission. I’ll let you know when.”

“Are you sure?”

Jiraiya was a little surprised it was Tekouru, not Minato, who had asked, but assured him it was indeed fine and they should go on. And realised that Minato had already disappeared . . . the instant Jiraiya dismissed them.

. . .unusual. He frowned. He also remembered belatedly that he’d meant to ask Minato where he was living now, since last time he’d gone to collect his genin for a mission he’d found someone else living in Minato’s apartment and no sign of him.

Jiraiya followed his brightest little genin without too much difficulty, half-intending to call him back but finding him moving just a little too quick to do so comfortably. Just when he drew near enough-

Jiraiya’s brows rose, eyes widening. Minato trotted right into the Hatake compound, which Jiraiya had the . . . less than pleasant experience to attest personally had been trapped to hell and back at Orochimaru’s hands. Minato didn’t hesitate on his way and sprung no traps.

“We’re back!” Minato called, and Orochimaru appeared from behind a small, bare-branched tree, his baby resting in a sling on his chest.

“A bit early.” Orochimaru observed, running his fingers through Minato’s hair as Jiraiya gaped. Minato leaned in under the touch, and stretched up to look into the sling. Orochimaru smiled fondly and brought the baby out of it, letting him go to Minato’s reaching arms. “Everything went well?”

“Oh yes. I think Jiraiya-sensei just wanted to get back. He sent us all off before we reported to the mission room, even.” Minato said absently. “Hello, Kashi-kun.” he crooned, smiling as he stepped back a bit, bouncing the baby. “I missed you, little one!”

Orochimaru’s smile softened, and Jiraiya shook his head, leaning against a tree just outside the property line. “Sakumo returned early today as well.” Orochimaru said, and Minato brightened further.

“Did you need your team for something again?”

Jiraiya jumped. He’d known Orochimaru likely either knew he was there or could at any moment; he . . . hadn’t thought of Sakumo. Who now stood at his shoulder, smiling. It wasn’t quite a nice smile, though it wasn’t quite a threat, either.

“No, no. I dismissed them and then remembered that I no longer know where Minato lives, since he moved out of his apartment.” Jiraiya said, snorting.

Sakumo raised an eyebrow. “The lease was signed over more than a month ago.” he said dryly, and Jiraiya blinked.

“Ah, I was going to ask him where he lives now. So I can find him for missions and the like.” Jiraiya said, trying not to be defensive.

“You can find him here, when you need to.” Sakumo said, and Jiraiya didn’t know why his voice was so chill. “However, I believe he is in downtime after his mission at the moment, and you may have a mission report to turn in. . .”

“. . .of course,” Jiraiya said, more than recognising the pointed attempt to make him go away, though he wasn’t sure why.

Sakumo turned his back and headed across the garden to Orochimaru and Minato.

“Welcome home, nikkou!” Sakumo wrapped an arm around Minato’s shoulders, drawing him in close as he returned the greeting happily. The baby was still cradled in Minato’s arms, but he leaned into Sakumo’s side, nestling against him. Sakumo . . . kissed the top of his head?

Sakumo lifted his head and glanced back at Jiraiya, and he quickly resumed his retreat from the Hatake compound.

Notes:

日光 (nikkou) means sunlight/sunshine/sunbeams

There will be more with the sunshine genin and his adoptive wolfsnek family . . . but this is all I have written of this arc for now.

Chapter 87: Earned

Chapter Text

Sakumo sank into the onsen, hissing softly as the hot water stung at the deep bite halfway up his arm above his elbow. Dan cast him a curious, concerned look, and he shook his head, smiling slightly. It wasn’t serious, though his mate’s fangs certainly had left . . . quite the injury.

Sakumo twisted his arm a bit, inspecting the pair of deep punctures - courtesy of hinged hypodermic fangs - flanked by shallower marks from slightly more human teeth.

“Ouch?” Dan observed, and Sakumo startled. He hadn’t noticed his friend settling closer beside him.

“Ah, it’s fine.” Sakumo grinned. “I may have earned it.”

“Earned it?” Dan questioned with a quizzical expression, and Sakumo shivered.

He’d had his mate pinned beneath his weight, twisted and actually yowling with pleasure, legs wound around his waist and squeezing. He had . . . startled Orochimaru, shifting to fold him further in on himself - easy enough; Orochimaru bent in ways no one else alive could, not willingly, and had offered Sakumo no resistance - and crush his mate down harder into the grass as he thrust. Sakumo had only been distantly aware of the sharp stab of pain from his mate’s fangs sinking into his arm as his orgasm hit.

It had been some time later before Orochimaru had - carefully - disengaged his fangs, face smeared with Sakumo’s blood and body with his own come. He’d apologised, surprisingly a little flustered, but even if Sakumo had actually been upset, the sight of his mate in that state would have been quite enough to change his mind. More than worth the dull pain of it, which he had actually enjoyed in its own right, in the moment.

. . .at least as Orochimaru had expressed no venom with the bite.

“Something like that.” Sakumo said vaguely, aware his grin might have become a somewhat soppier expression.

Chapter 88: Delivery

Chapter Text

Sakumo eyed his mate’s teammate dubiously. “Tsunade-san?”

“I believe this,” Tsunade reached into her shirt and pulled out a shimmery white snake; Sakumo blinked, “belongs to you.” She pressed the serpent into Sakumo’s hurriedly raised hands, and he recognised Orochimaru’s golden eyes and dusky violet markings.

“Ah. . ?” Sakumo said vaguely, stroking Orochimaru affectionately and returning his gaze to Tsunade.

She sighed. “If I had the ability,” she said, nose wrinkly, “I would have taken it too. I can’t blame him this time. Jiraiya has been. . .” She growled, passably well for a fully human woman. “See you in three days, Oro.” she said a little more gently.

Orochimaru looped himself around Sakumo’s forearms and hissed softly, dipping his head as his tongue flicked out.

Tsunade sniffed and turned away, striding off, apparently having only come to deliver Orochimaru home again. Sakumo eyed his mate. “Really, lovely?” he questioned, lips tugging into a smile.

Orochimaru hissed again, lifting his head and more of his body, stretching towards Sakumo’s chest and sliding up from there to his shoulder. Sakumo stepped back into the house and smiled as Orochimaru slithered higher, winding himself around Sakumo’s neck and shoulders comfortably, a sleek, heavy coil.

He stroked his mate’s smooth, warm scales and hummed happily.

Chapter 89: Preparation

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru hummed thoughtfully, sweeping his hand over the table - lower than he usually chose for his workspace; he usually preferred to stand as he worked - and then rearranging a few of the wooden racks on it. Only one of them was actually filled with glassware, and the glassware itself held nothing toxic or caustic; the stacks of papers and notebooks were mostly blank, with one being a pile of notes he needed to put in order already.

He braced his hands on the table and leaned on it, inspecting, judging, then glanced around at the amount of space he’d left between this one and the other behind. It was quite clear enough, he decided, and he wasn’t worried about the contents of that table being knocked to the floor.

Assured that everything was in place, he wound his hair up into a bun just tight enough to hold, but loose enough that several strands quickly fell to frame his jaw and tickle his neck, then loosened his sash. Assured everything was settled, he moved to the other table to actually work for a while. He didn’t bother to find a chair to put beside the new table.


Orochimaru gasped as Sakumo’s teeth scraped the nape of his neck, nails dragging painfully over the surface of the table. Sakumo growled, body broad and hot and solid as he pinned Orochimaru down across the table under him.

The edge of the table dug into his belly and ribs, his breath coming shallow from desire and pleasure more from the pressure of his mate against his back. Sakumo growled again, teeth set against his throat, cock hot and thick inside him, callused hands pressing firmly along his sides. Orochimaru fought not to simply go boneless beneath him, shivery with heat, and pressed back and up into him.

“Sakumo-” Orochimaru broke off with a breathless moan, head dipping until his brow rested against the wood. He keened softly as Sakumo thrust again, leaning up enough to push him down, splaying him out on the table and fucking into him harder.

Orochimaru writhed under his mate’s hands, back arching and body twisting. Sakumo tightened his hold, hips rolling in an almost harsh grind against Orochimaru’s ass before he bent, covering Orochimaru fully again, trapping him between the table and his mate’s broad body.

Notes:

Sakumo either mentioned (offhand, distractedly, probably while busy and a little pleasure-fogged himself) that he had fantasised about fucking Oro over his worktable/in his lab, or Oro just picked up on it himself . . . and, well, takes a little work to be safe and feasible (and not inconvenient) but . . . definitely not unworkable.

Chapter 90: Mama

Chapter Text

“Hello, little one.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru’s brows rose as his lips twitched. “I’m your tou-san.” He kissed Orochimaru’s stomach, nuzzling and making him shiver, muscles tensing against the ticklish sensation. “And I cannot wait to meet you.”

Orochimaru smiled faintly, closing his eyes. It would be some time yet - their hatchlingcub was not nearly ready to be born - but. . . He arched his back, feeling the weight of the growing little one he carried, then the shift inside as they wriggled.

“I already love you, so much,” Sakumo said, his voice rumbling against Orochimaru’s skin, and the little one stilled within Orochimaru once more, their father’s voice apparently soothing . . . or raptly fascinating, “you and your Mama.”

Orochimaru opened his eyes, startled. He glanced down at Sakumo, who was still focused entirely on his middle, stroking his side and nuzzling his belly where there was a shallow curve from the little one inside. “You probably already know,” Sakumo said, nosing Orochimaru’s stomach, “but you have the best Mama in the world. The best and also the cleverest. We both love you, cub.” he crooned.

Orochimaru watched lazily as his mate continued to croon affectionate, silly sweetness to their hatchlingcub, nuzzling his stomach, and occasionally ran his fingers over Sakumo’s arm or shoulder, not speaking himself. Eventually Sakumo quieted, laying his head down, cheek against the swell of their growing hatchlingcub.

“Mama?” Orochimaru said softly, when he had taken a few moments to regain a bit of composure.

Sakumo lifted his head. “Are you not their Mama?” he asked, smoothing his left hand over Orochimaru’s hip. “You are carrying them, you are supporting them to grow inside you . . . it is you who will birth them. . .”

Orochimaru shifted, fingertips trailing over Sakumo’s face. “Perhaps so.” he agreed, lips pursing.

“Would you prefer something else?” Sakumo asked, resting his jaw against the low slope of Orochimaru’s belly.

Orochimaru considered it, and considered his mate, and then thought of the little one he yet carried safe inside. He ran his fingers lightly over his stomach, and felt the hatchlingcub stretch and curl inside beneath his touch. “No.” he decided. “No, I . . . I will be Mama.” It felt slightly odd on his tongue, but not wrong. His lips curved.

“You are.” Sakumo corrected, giving him a warm smile.

Chapter 91: Flying Practise

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Kakashi took a flying leap off the cliff, spreading his wings wide, and Sakumo darted forwards, rearing onto his hind legs and stretching out his front claws. He held himself back from catching Kakashi and let his dragonet flap and fly, clumsy and wavering but maintaining some height, claws poised to catch him if he fell.

Kakashi trilled delightedly, and the trees in the valley below rustled as his mother approached, gleaming silver-white and dusky violet scales shimmering against the greenery. “Mama! Mama look!” Kakashi cried, wavering a little more as his focus split.

Orochimaru smiled, moving closer and coiling himself below. “You’re doing very well, little one.” he praised, and Kakashi preened, cocking his head proudly, and promptly tumbled weakly forwards. Sakumo snatched him out of the air with a chiding noise, overbalancing and launching off the cliff’s edge himself. He snapped his wings out wider and drifted downwards, landing just shy of his mate’s more sinuous body.

Orochimaru raised his head and nuzzled Sakumo affectionately, then bowed his neck and ran his muzzle over Kakashi’s back. Kakashi squirmed and giggled under the inspection, the spiky crest of fur down his spine standing up taller and his tufted tail lashing.

“Can I try again, Dad?” Kakashi asked, turning over in Sakumo’s arms and lying on his back, cradled close and snuggling in. “Please?”

Orochimaru drew back with a smile, wings rustling and settling along his body as he coiled at the base of the cliff.

Sakumo made a considering sound, eyeing his dragonet. “You have to pay attention this time.” he instructed, and Kakashi crowed with delight. Sakumo laughed, shaking his head, then bent to nuzzle his mate before flying back up to the cliff’s edge. He could have tossed Kakashi into the air himself, but he needed the practise at taking off, and the cliff allowed a bit of leeway if he didn’t get the climb quite right.

Particularly with his mother lounging at the bottom as well as Sakumo at his tail poised to catch him.

Notes:

Inspired by a piece of art by Brian Kesinger, seen in this post - though, naturally, with rather different dragon designs. (Both from that art, and Sakumo and Orochimaru from one another.

Chapter 92: Missed

Chapter Text

Orochimaru hummed absently, brushing his fingers over the blooms of those plants he had not harvested today - a milder toxin, perhaps, than his own, but sometimes that was all that was needed. . .

He rose, and nearly dropped the harvesting basket as a powerful grip wrapped around his waist, though he had neither heard nor sensed anyone approaching.

“Hello, my darling.” Sakumo said, voice warm, lips all but pressed to Orochimaru’s throat.

Orochimaru took a deep breath, held it for a moment, then let it out as he released the chakra he’d instantly spiked ready to attack. “Hello, love. Welcome home.” he said, and if his voice was perhaps a little stiff, well, he thought it reasonable enough, considering the startlement his mate’s sudden appearance - sudden touch - had given him.

Sakumo rumbled happily against his throat, nuzzling closer still. “Missed you. . .” he all but crooned, hugging Orochimaru tight around the waist, warm and needy. “Have you missed me?” he asked, his eyes light, as he finally raised his head to meet Orochimaru’s gaze.

Orochimaru’s throat tightened and he swallowed, turning to face Sakumo fully as he reached up to stroke his mate’s face. “Desperately, my dearest wolf.” he said honestly, quiet. “I have grown quite reliant on you, I find.”

Sakumo’s expression was soft, but his eyes were fierce with joy and his sudden kiss was a little rough. Orochimaru smiled and leaned into him to return it, winding an arm around his shoulders and giving in to the hot, desperate demands of his mouth.

It had been the truth, what Orochimaru offered, though he’d known it would please Sakumo to hear it - Orochimaru was accustomed to solitude and distance, accustomed to his fellows avoiding him, but . . . he had grown used to the closeness and affection of his mate. He would not give it up, had he the choice, and he had missed it. Missed Sakumo.

Chapter 93: Cooking

Chapter Text

“Now, now, stop squirming.”

Orochimaru straightened in his seat, tilting his head. Kakashi’s giggling followed the teasing sound of Sakumo’s voice.

“And keep your little paws out of our dinner, it’s not ready yet!” Sakumo scolded, laughing, and Kakashi giggled again.

A smile pulled at Orochimaru’s lips. He rose and moved silently to the kitchen doorway, peeking in at his mate and their son. Kakashi tightened his fingers in Sakumo’s shirt as Sakumo put down the stirring spoon he held, then, abruptly-

Orochimaru laughed silently as Sakumo growled fiercely, bouncing Kakashi on his hip, arm securely around his back. Kakashi’s giggles grew louder and he squirmed as he clung to his father, held close and steady.

Sakumo hummed and kissed the top of Kakashi’s head, and Orochimaru gave up to impulse and stepped into the kitchen, moving to join them.

Sakumo cocked his head and looked at Orochimaru over their son’s head, and he smiled, reaching out to brush his fingers over Sakumo’s side, then leaning over Kakashi to kiss his mate.

Sakumo smiled against his mouth, leaning into him for a moment, their giggling, happy son snug between them.

Chapter 94: Babysitter

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo crooned and rocked his cub, nuzzling his tiny soft brow, his fluffy hair tickling Sakumo’s face. Kakashi yawned and blinked sleepily, his dark eyes hazy like storm clouds. Sakumo kissed his face and rocked him once more, then bent and laid him in his little-used cradle.

Kakashi squirmed a bit, empty hands grasping, and Sakumo rubbed his chest and belly to settle him.

Orochimaru stepped up, arms full of a deep green python, and bowed over the cradle, letting the creature slide down from his hands. They wound around Kakashi cosily, looking as pleased as a snake could under strokes of Orochimaru’s hand. Orochimaru’s other hand cupped Kakashi’s cheek and combed through his hair.

Kakashi yawned again, making a soft whimpery sound, and his fingers brushed over the snake’s scales. They coiled close, broad head nuzzling along Kakashi’s neck and jaw, tucking beneath his own head and around, supporting his neck, and Kakashi’s arm curled around one loop of the snake’s body, cuddling into it.

“Watch over him for me, Nori.” Orochimaru murmured, fingers trailing feather-light over Kakashi’s face.

“He’ll be all right?” Sakumo asked softly, not meaning with the snake - none of Orochimaru’s snakes would harm their cub, the hatchlingcub of their doting summoner - but it made him uneasy to leave Kakashi here. He was rarely apart from them, even when he slept, or they were working. Their cub usually had at least one of them with him.

Orochimaru leaned into Sakumo and kissed his cheek. “I won’t be far, if I’m needed. I only cannot have him in the lab with me today and,” he made an irritated sound, “evidently I must complete this as soon as possible.”

Sakumo hugged his mate and returned the gentle kiss. “I know you would not leave him if you didn’t have to. If I didn’t have to go. . .”

“I know.” Orochimaru kissed him properly, one hand sliding into his hair. “Be safe and we will see you soon, wolf.” he said, resting their brows together.

Sakumo smiled and promised, leaving for his mission with a last lingering look at his sleeping cub, safe in thick, deep green coils.

Notes:

You may have, or may in the future, see Nori in other minifics or full length stories, generally in similar roles. I may have a file of multiversal snake summons to work from for Oro, given canon didn't exactly give much to work with on that score beyond some Very Large (and generally Temperamental) snakes. >.>

Chapter 95: Broody Snake

Chapter Text

Orochimaru hummed softly from time to time, running his fingers through his dozing mate’s hair as he read. The comfort and warmth of Sakumo draped between and over his legs, lying against his body, head heavy on his stomach . . . it was making Orochimaru drowsy as well, tempted to put his book aside and curl up around his wolf.

Sakumo stirred lazily, rubbing his face against Orochimaru’s stomach. His muscles tightened, ticklish and twitchy, and memory sparked at the gesture that made the contented warmth in his chest grow. He stroked Sakumo’s hair again, considering, as he had found himself doing from time to time recently.

Tomorrow, he thought, with a little shiver of nervous pleasure. He would speak to Sakumo about it tomorrow, and find what his mate thought of the idea.

He didn’t think Sakumo would ever say no; it was why he had wanted to be sure he truly wanted it himself before they spoke of the possibility. Sakumo doted on their cubling and had doted - and fretted - delightedly over Orochimaru to the point of nearly being smothering while he carried-

“Mama?” Kakashi called from the doorway, voice pitched low. Orochimaru raised his head, surprised, and found that their son looked anxious and uncomfortable. He frowned, lifting his hand from Sakumo’s hair - he whined half-heartedly, not opening his eyes; Orochimaru suspected he’d fallen properly asleep - to beckon Kakashi closer.

Kakashi trotted lightly across the room to them, and Orochimaru put his book aside, reaching out to his cubling. Kakashi snuggled into Orochimaru’s arms, nearly tripping over his father’s shoulder, and snuffled at his collarbone.

“Nightmare.” Kakashi mumbled into his yukata, and Orochimaru pressed his lips together for a moment, then crooned soothingly, stroking Kakashi’s hair and down his back.

“Would you like to sleep here with us again?” Orochimaru asked, hugging him tighter for a moment. Kakashi nodded, making a contented little rumbly, huffing noise. Orochimaru held him for another few moments, then nudged him away, kissed his brow, and let him slide down beside his father, tucking in close between them. He whined and prodded at Sakumo’s bicep as he settled, and Sakumo growled and wrapped his arm around Kakashi without waking.

Kakashi squirmed and curled his fingers into Orochimaru’s yukata, then tucked his head down against Orochimaru’s hip. He crooned and smoothed a hand down Kakashi’s shoulder and side, letting the other return to Sakumo’s hair.

Chapter 96: Hands and Distraction

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo nudged aside his almost empty cup of tea and slid his hand over the table, pausing as his fingertips brushed the side of Orochimaru’s thin hand. He tensed - barely visible, and that only because Sakumo was paying such close attention - tilting his head and angling a look at Sakumo.

Sakumo smiled slightly, raising his eyebrows, and stroked lightly towards Orochimaru’s wrist.

His lips tilted at one corner and his posture softened. He turned his gaze back towards where Dan was entertaining Jiraiya with some story from his last mission while Tsunade laughed into his shoulder, both of her arms wrapped around one of his own.

Orochimaru’s hand shifted and Sakumo stilled, then bit his lip to hold back a little giddy sound as callused, but smooth fingertips slid over the backs of his fingers. Orochimaru didn’t look at him, but his fingers straightened and splayed, pushing gently over Sakumo’s knuckles, then curving and trailing back down between his fingers.

Sakumo couldn’t have repeated a word of Dan’s story if his life depended on it, though it certainly seemed to be amusing Tsunade and Jiraiya. Orochimaru wore a faint smile as well, and he was looking that way, but. . .

Sakumo squeezed Orochimaru’s fingers gently between his own, then loosened his grip again, turning his hand a little so that when he curled his fingers they hooked around Orochimaru’s. He squeezed back, thumb tapping almost playfully at Sakumo’s index finger, then flicked lightly at the side of his hand.

Sakumo held back a laugh, smoothing his hand up over Orochimaru’s knuckles, then back down as he let his hand flatten against the table. He turned it over, almost invitingly, and Sakumo licked his lips and stroked up into the cup of his palm, a gentle caress just firm enough so as not to risk tickling.

Orochimaru was leaning sideways against the table now, though his attention was still at least outwardly on the others, and his tiny smile had grown a little broader.

Notes:

. . .okay so this is very cute and all but really. Apparently you need to ask him out properly, Sakumo. I think you'll be okay there.

Chapter 97: Bored (muddy)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Kakashi rocked back and forth, watching the rain pouring down onto the garden with a sigh. It sounded nice, and he liked the smell of it, rich and fresh in the air, but it had been raining forever now and he was bored.

He flopped over backwards on the wood, closing his eyes and listening to the rain pound down on the roof over him, breathing in the wet air. It felt faintly cool, but only enough to tickle in his nose and lungs, even lying on the engawa with the empty space and then wet earth beneath.

“What are you doing, hatchling?”

Bored.” Kakashi told Sumi, rocking his head to look at her. She and Kirameku were curled up in a silver-black ball, and looked rather sleepy. “. . .do you need to cuddle?” he asked, reaching out a hand.

The snakes slowly uncurled and made their way over to him, and he shivered as they slithered under his shirt and coiled close. “Cold.” Kirameku mumbled from just beneath Kakashi’s collar, and he crooned apologetically.

“You could go inside.” Kakashi suggested, petting a bit of Sumi’s tail where it was visible at the bottom of his shirt. Her scales were a bit cool. “Maybe you should.”

The snakes both hissed wordlessly, shifting just a bit against him, and Kakashi quieted, sighing again and closing his eyes as he flung his arms out wide. He thought about the starfish he had seen in tide pools when Dad and Mama had taken him to the ocean last summer.

Being wet had been fun then. Although. . .

Kakashi glanced out at the garden and sighed. Though it wasn’t quite as warm as it had been at the ocean last summer, it was warmer than it had been for days, and Kakashi wouldn’t mind playing in the garden now . . . except that it would mess up the garden, and get him muddy, and it might still not be warm enough for him to be allowed to get so soaked and keep playing. Mama didn’t fuss as much as some of the Mamas he saw, but that only meant that when Mama did, it meant listen.

Kakashi reached up under his shirt and petted the nearest bit of coil again, thinking it felt maybe a little warmer? At least he could help the snakes, he supposed. He watched the rain plip into the pond and wished quietly that he could go splash too. Maybe- Maybe just once, before it was time to go back inside? If he was careful?

Kakashi rubbed his fingers over a little head as it pushed into his fingers - Sumi; Kirameku was a little less nuzzly - and grinned.

Chapter 98: Play (muddy)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“There you are, cubling.”

Kakashi jumped, tilting his head to look up at Mama. “I was good!” he said hurriedly, scrambling to his feet with a pout. “Even though it’s boring. . .” He kicked the ball he’d been playing with - chasing up and down the engawa - earlier, and it bounced off towards the house. Mama bumped it with his toes without looking and it spun to a neat stop one step to the side of the door.

“You were just very quiet,” Mama said, smiling, “it’s a little too cold to be sleeping outside, and I wanted to check on you anyway.”

Kakashi sighed, nodding as he glanced out at the rain. It was still pouring down in little plips and heavy rushes. “Wasn’t asleep.” he insisted. “Not even sleepy. Want to play, but-”

Kakashi yipped, tumbling in Mama’s arms and out into the shock of cool water. His eyes were wide as they rolled across the grass, and Mama grinned at him, eyes glinting playfully and hair falling in already-sodden stripes across both their faces.

“Mama?” Kakashi half-yelped, then burst into giggles as Mama tickled his sides with gentle fingers, pushing his soaked shirt up. The grass tickled his back even more and he squirmed and kicked. “Mama!

“Don’t you want to play, my cubling?” Mama teased, squirming away from Kakashi’s attempts to grab him, then slipping in the mud with a startled laugh as he went sideways.

Kakashi pounced, and Mama tipped over with a soft sound of surprise. They toppled into the grass with a squelch, and mud squeezed up into Kakashi’s sandals and between his fingers. He scrabbled to climb on top of Mama, grinning when he managed it, and yipped when Mama hissed, baring his teeth, then laughed and lightly tossed Kakashi aside.

He splashed into a puddle and splashed his way out, giggling, only to be immediately caught up in Mama’s arms, the both of them sliding in the mud. Kakashi barked and shook his head, twitching, as some of it got up in his ear.

Mama held him still and rubbed the mud away, then pulled his sandals off, and Kakashi wriggled his toes. They were much muddier, but it felt better without being squished up in his sandals. Mama tickled his ankle and Kakashi jumped backwards, managing to catch himself just before he would have fallen over. He grinned proudly, then yipped and dodged as he saw Mama lunging for him again, scrambling as he fell in the slick grass, thick with the mud they were churning up.

He managed to stay barely ahead of Mama, but knew he wouldn’t be able to for very long, and he ran for the reeds by the pond, laughing as he snuck a look back and saw Mama chasing him.

Notes:

Someday Kakashi will be grown and thinking back on this rather special memory and realise that not only did Mama throw himself into playing, there is no way Mama, the elite shinobi, should have slipped so easily with something as simple as mud (maybe not at all) . . . and that he had to have let it happen, just to play.

next in arc

Chapter 99: Tired (muddy)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Mama?” Kakashi squelched out of the pond and dropped to his knees as Mama followed, then slid sideways to rest on the grass, his calves and feet still in the water.

“Yes, my cubling?” Mama said, shifting to curl an arm around Kakashi as he snuggled against Mama’s side, the rain still pouring down on them.

Kakashi snuggled in closer, tucking his muddy head on Mama’s not-quite-as-muddy shoulder. “You’re the best Mama ever.”

Mama hugged him tighter. “And you are the sweetest, cleverest cubling in the world, darling.” he murmured, and Kakashi squirmed, giggling and hiding his face. Mama rubbed his back and they lay there in the rain for a little while.

They were so very muddy that it didn’t even get them much cleaner, despite how heavy it was. Kakashi shivered and pushed closer to Mama’s side. It wasn’t cold, but. . .

“Come along,” Mama sighed, hugging Kakashi tight for a moment, then loosening his grip and sitting up, “we should go inside, it’s getting colder.”

Kakashi nodded, startled by a yawn, and crawled up onto his knees. He cocked his head, eyeing Mama - he was filthy, mud ground into his shirt and his pants and his hair, and even smeared on his face, almost hiding one of his purple stripes, his tangled hair was plastered to his face and neck and his clothes loose; Mama never looked so messy ever - and then looked down at himself. He was at least as bad, and he could feel the mud in his hair, ground in and itchy and dripping and sludgy. . .

Mama’s fingers pulled through Kakashi’s hair gently, and he flicked away some of the mud. “We are very dirty, cubling.” he said seriously, and Kakashi giggled as they climbed to their feet.

“I tried not to get muddy, Mama! And then. . .” Kakashi scratched at the back of his neck, feeling more mud and a lot of water slide down his spine. “Erm. Mama? We got all dirty,” Kakashi wasn’t sure he’d ever been this dirty before, “and we messed up the garden,” the grass and some of the flowers and other plants were crushed and there was mud churned up everywhere, “and. . .”

Mama pulled a strand of his hair off his face and pushed it behind his ear, leaving a curving swoop of mud on his cheek. “Sometimes,” he said, lifting his chin, “it is acceptable.”

“Yes Mama.” Kakashi said, blinking.

“Come here, let me see how much of this mud I can get off us before we go back in the house.” Mama said, laughing and beckoning Kakashi close.

Chapter 100: Bath (muddy)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Mama straightened, then stepped into the steaming bath and beckoned to Kakashi. He was pretty sure they were still dirtier than they should be to get in the big bath, even though Mama had used a jutsu outside - it was so cool - and they’d washed really hard, twice, but maybe it was something else that was all right sometimes.

Kakashi clambered up the little steps and over the rim to slide into the bath, Mama’s hands catching him and tugging him closer in the water, one running over his shoulder. Kakashi shivered and then ducked down to get wetter. Mama’s hair was still down, too, probably because there might still be mud in it. Kakashi thought, anyway. Maybe.

“Wet your hair, cubling.” Mama said, trailing a wet fingertip down his nose, then tapping the tip. “Soak a bit and then it’ll be time to wash again.”

Kakashi nodded and obeyed, then clung to the ledge as he came up, yawning. Mama was under the water, and Kakashi could just make out his pale fingers sliding through his long hair as he shook his head. Mama stayed under for a long time, and Kakashi watched him, blinking sleepily, through the ripples.

When Mama finally came up he moved over close to Kakashi, on a deeper ledge, then opened his arms. Kakashi yawned and let himself lean into them rather than hold himself up, and Mama crooned, rocking him and running gentle fingers through his hair, pouring more water over his head.

Kakashi squirmed under the feeling, warm and sleepy. Mama’s hair floated on the water against his cheek, and he curled his fingers around the slithery lock, giggling at the thought of it looking like Sumi.

“Having fun, cubling?” Mama asked, fingers working slowly through his wet hair.

“Your hair’s like snakes, Mama.” Kakashi said sleepily, nuzzling Mama’s shoulder and then following his collarbone to nestle at the base of his neck as he laughed softly.

“Is that so?” Mama said, not really a question, and shifted. “Going to dip you again.” he warned, and Kakashi took a breath and nodded, holding it. Mama let him slide under the water and brought him back up quickly, then settled on the ledge again, leaning against the side of the bath, and returned to petting Kakashi’s hair.

Kakashi sagged under Mama’s hands, sighing. “Was the best day.” he said, distracted, remembering Mama laughing and rolling through the mud with him, leaning over him, tickling and teasing and sliding and messy and cold and wet but. . . “Best Mama.”

“It was, wasn’t it?” Mama asked, kissing his brow. “My best darling cubling.”

Kakashi wriggled and snuggled into the curve of Mama’s arm, dozing off under Mama’s hands.

Chapter 101: Again (muddy)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo stepped in the door and shuddered, soaked through and more; feeling like he hadn’t been properly dry in days, actually. He shed his vest, sandals, and as much of his gear as he reasonably could right there in the genkan, wringing out his shirt and hanging it from a hook on the wall, then wringing out his hair before stepping up into the house proper.

It was quiet, but that wasn’t too surprising, particularly given the late hour. He padded through the house, shivering, and peeked into the kitchen - empty, and with no fresh cooking smells, so possibly no dinner had yet been made - then moved deeper. He heard a quiet splash, and poked into the bathing room, smiling as he saw his mate cradling their cub in the largest bath, pouring water over his back and shoulders.

“Hello, lovely. Cub.” Sakumo greeted, slipping inside and closing the door as a shiver visibly ran through his mate.

Orochimaru looked up with warm eyes. “Welcome home, wolf-heart.” he murmured. Kakashi stirred slowly, and Sakumo realised he was asleep.

“Big day?” Sakumo asked, because it was late, but Kakashi was an active and energetic cub normally, even late into the night.

“We played out in the garden today.” Orochimaru supplied as Sakumo drew closer, and he paused. Orochimaru tilted his head, the faintest traces of a pout curving his mouth, and Sakumo completed his move and bent to kiss his mate in greeting.

“Did you really?” Sakumo asked, brows arching.

“In the mud.” Orochimaru confirmed with a wry twist of his lips.

“It was awesome.” Kakashi said sleepily, grinning. “Hi Dad.”

“Hello cub.” Sakumo ruffled Kakashi’s wet hair. “Good day?”

Kakashi made a soft contented sound at Sakumo and snuggled into his mother, talking with sparkling, sleepy eyes about their playtime in the garden. Sakumo glanced at Orochimaru, brows raised, and he smiled slightly, tilting his head.

“Join us, wolf-heart?” Orochimaru invited, in a yawning pause from Kakashi, and Sakumo hesitated, then stripped off his remaining clothes and hurriedly slipped into the hot water with a groan. He washed lazily, soaking in the warmth and listening to his cub’s excited, if tired ramble, picturing the wrestling and the games and his mate laughing and tumbling in the mud with their cub, soaked and playful and. . .

“And I missed it. . .” Sakumo sighed, frowning.

“Oh, come here,” Orochimaru beckoned with his free hand, and Sakumo happily moved to cuddle up to his side, “we can do it again, you know.”

Sakumo smiled slightly at the thought, meeting his eyes.

“Can we Mama?” Kakashi asked, perking up in the water.

“Not tomorrow,” Orochimaru said firmly, then yawned himself, rubbing his face, “but yes, cubling, we certainly can.”

“Yay!” Kakashi said happily, leaning against them both, squirmy and wet. “Thank you Mama!”

“Mm, thank you, lovely.” Sakumo said playfully, and Orochimaru laughed, leaning over to kiss his cheek. “I look forward to it.”

“. . .the best.” Kakashi murmured sleepily.

Chapter 102: Nap (muddy)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru glanced down, lips curving, as he felt weight slouching against his calf once more. Shoulder and side resting against Orochimaru’s calf, head bowed against his thigh, Kakashi was sinking slowly closer to the floor, his book sliding out of his hands along his own lap as well.

Orochimaru reached down and ran his fingers through his son’s hair, and Kakashi tipped his head up with a lazy smile. “Hello there, darling.” Orochimaru said softly. “Why don’t you go take a nap with your father?”

Kakashi frowned, shaking his head and opening his mouth only to be interrupted by a yawn before he could speak.

“I’m sure he’s missed you.” Orochimaru coaxed gently, knowing it was true; Sakumo loved to spend as much time as he could cuddling up to either or both of them when he was fresh off a mission.

Kakashi huffed and protested a little that he didn’t need a nap, but not much before he got up and put his book away on the little table just for him that stood against the wall by the door. He left Orochimaru’s workroom, heading towards the bedroom at the back of the house. Sakumo had gotten up this morning, but after breakfast, checking over his gear, and a light workout, he’d gone right back to bed.

Orochimaru checked the time, then went back to work for a while. He roused his family for lunch, and afterwards found himself being tugged towards the bedroom along with them.

“Come on, Mama. . .” Kakashi crooned more than whined, snug against his leg and tugging the hem of his shirt. “Is nice sounds and is good to rest. . .”

“You did play very hard yesterday,” Sakumo smiled down at Kakashi, then glanced up to meet Orochimaru’s eyes, winding an arm around his shoulders, “I missed you,” he nipped Orochimaru’s ear, nuzzling gently, “come curl up with us?” he wheedled.

Orochimaru eyed his mate and considered pointing out that not only had they shared the bath last night, and shared a simple dinner pressed snugly together at the table - along with a very sleepy Kakashi; Orochimaru had let him sleep for a bit after the bath, but woken him to eat before bed - but he had slept curled around Sakumo the night before. But. . .

“Oh, very well.” Orochimaru assented, reaching down for Kakashi, who clambered into his arms easily - he must be tired; though he was a cuddly and affectionate cubling, he’d somewhat outgrown being so placidly carried. “Naptime it is.”

Sakumo had opened the slanted window-covers in the bedroom, not allowing much of a look outside, and relatively little of the grey light to come inside, but fresh, damp air circulated and the sound of the rain was loud even as it was kept from pouring through the windows. Orochimaru pulled out a heavier blanket before settling onto the futon to rest.

Kakashi curled up nearly on his chest and Sakumo cuddled against his side, clinging affectionately and nuzzling his shoulder. Orochimaru wound his legs with his mate’s, brushed his fingers over Sakumo’s arm where it wrapped around him, and closed his eyes to sleep, content in his nest with his family.

Chapter 103: Feeding Little Ones

Chapter Text

“Oh! Oh, no, Kakashi.” Sakumo said gently, peeling something out of Kakashi’s small hand.

Orochimaru eyed them curiously, and the way that Kakashi was pouting but looked confused.

“Tenzou is too little.” Sakumo explained patiently, glancing up as Orochimaru crossed the room. He smiled slightly, and Orochimaru gestured. Sakumo held up- Ah. “Tenzou can’t eat meat, or anything he needs to chew, yet.” Sakumo continued, putting the chunk of sausage back on the table.

Kakashi’s confused pout grew, and Orochimaru pressed his lips together, amused.

“Tenzou has,” Orochimaru paused, glancing at Sakumo, “rather less wolf in him than you, my little darling.” He bent and kissed Kakashi’s head. “Very sweet, but you cannot share with your brother yet.”

Orochimaru reached out, and Sakumo smiled as he let Tenzou pass into his arms, warm hands sliding over Orochimaru’s wrists and hands in a light caress. Orochimaru caught one hand and squeezed gently, then cradled Tenzou a little higher, shifting his yukata aside to let Tenzou latch on as he settled by the table.

“Why?” Kakashi pouted, watching. “Why not eating right?” Sakumo ruffled his hair, then moved around, one hand sliding along Orochimaru’s shoulders and brushing his neck. He shivered, and Tenzou squirmed against him, sucking a little harder.

“Tenzou is too young, cub.” Sakumo said patiently. “He’ll grow and get stronger, and one day he’ll eat like you do, but for now this is how he grows. Baby cubs start this way, and so did you.”

Kakashi cocked his head with a curiously thoughtful whine, and Orochimaru smiled, smoothing his fingers over Tenzou’s face as he made soft, muffled contented sounds.

Chapter 104: Question

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Pale fingers sliding over a broad shoulder, and a low rumble that came with a soft smile.

“Oro? Love?” Sakumo’s smile widened as he opened his eyes, sighing and turning a little. “Welcome back.” he half-mumbled, reaching out. He drew a deep breath and his nose twitched as his eyes sharpened with proper focus.

A smile that felt wrong on sharp features. “Wolf.” Simple. Few words. “Miss me?” Arch more than teasing, but asking for reassurance.

Sakumo’s smile crooked. “Always.” he said, voice raw and expression open. “Need you, so much, Oro.”

A moment of surprised stillness. Question interrupted.

“What is it?” Sakumo asked, hand raised to trail a caress over the blunt angle of Orochimaru’s jaw.

A nervous shift and a glance away, hiding behind the sleek fall of dark hair without truly hiding.

“Oro. . .” Sakumo coaxed with an almost-whine.

A less than pleased huff for the pitiful sound that made Sakumo’s brows arch with surprise and give a low rumble in return.

“What is it?” Sakumo prompted. “What do you want to ask?”

A neat opening. “I wonder. . . How do you feel about me? What do you think of us, really?”

Sakumo blinked, slow and baffled. “I love my mate, my heart, my everything, with all that I am.” he said, easy and sincere and- shocking.

Sakumo smiled slightly, dropping his caressing hand and stretching. “And I would get out of here if I were you.” he said, then yawned as he went lax against the futon again.

“. . .what? I thought you loved-”

“Mm. . .” Sakumo eyed him with a lazy smile that bared the tips of solid, sizable fangs. “I do. And my mate is home now. You might want to get yourself elsewhere. Quickly.” His warning was underscored by the sharp hiss of a dusky purple snake slithering out of the bedclothes over his chest.

Jiraiya whirled and found his vision full of incensed golden eyes.

He cringed and lost his henge, belatedly remembering that while Orochimaru’s might be raised with vastly less frequency, his teammates’ tempers rivalled one another in capability of pure devastation.

Notes:

. . .Jiraiya is an idiot toad. He may even have had good intentions here and legitimately been concerned for his friend. (Or he may have just had prurient curiosity he wanted to satisfy.) But he was still an idiot.

Chapter 105: Heir

Chapter Text

“Oh, you’re home!”

Orochimaru paused, then quickly put aside his pack and opened his arms for his wolf, hiding a frown as Sakumo buried himself in them immediately. He rubbed Sakumo’s back, crooning soothingly, and hugged him tighter. “I’m home.” he agreed, and kissed Sakumo’s shoulder near the base of his neck. “What happened, wolf-heart?”

Sakumo shook his head slightly, his grip on Orochimaru tightening. “It’s- I need to- My aunt. . .”

Orochimaru hummed gently, not quite prompting, and rubbed Sakumo’s back again.

“She was on a mission, with two of my cousins, and it went . . . badly.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru pressed his lips together. “I don’t know how badly yet,” he said as he drew back a little, eyes wide and dark, “I was just about to- I have to go to the hospital to find out, and. . .”

“I’ll come with you.” Orochimaru said gently, and watched Sakumo sag slightly with relief. “Give me two minutes to change.”

Sakumo nodded and sank to a chair as Orochimaru darted to their bedroom and quickly traded his everyday gear - slightly mussed and dirty from the morning’s travel - for something a little neater. They were soon making their way across the village, then through the hospital, and Orochimaru hid a startle as Sakumo clasped his hand tightly, but allowed him to keep it even as they reached his aunt’s room.

One of Sakumo’s cousins was dead, it turned out . . . and his aunt was dying.

“You’ll be clan head,” she coughed, wincing, and Sakumo’s grip tightened around Orochimaru’s fingers; he squeezed gently in return, trying to offer reassurance, “after me, and you’ll . . . care for the pack.”

It took Sakumo several tries to speak. “I- But you-” he hesitated, and Orochimaru squeezed his hand again. “Yes, Aunt.” he said, almost hollow, looking nervous and uncertain, but steadying a little with the words out.

“Good,” she paused breathlessly, gasping, “good. Good boy.”

Chapter 106: Cub

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“What are you doing?” Orochimaru asked, amused, running his fingers through Sakumo’s hair and tilting his head to eye his rather cuddly mate.

Sakumo rubbed his face against Orochimaru’s middle again with a soft, contented rumble, then nuzzled him, breathing him in, and looked up to meet his gaze. Orochimaru arched an eyebrow.

“You’re carrying my cub. . .” Sakumo said, in a soft, raw voice, kissing Orochimaru’s stomach.

Orochimaru’s chest tightened and a smile tugged at his lips. “Not exactly so as you would notice.” he pointed out gently, rubbing his thumb over Sakumo’s ear. He could tell, could feel the difference in his body and the flow of his chakra, and the bright little point of heat deep inside, but it had yet to be discernible from the outside.

“I know, though.” Sakumo said contentedly, nuzzling Orochimaru’s stomach and closing his eyes as he laid his cheek to rest there. “It’s. . .” He sighed.

“Mm.” Orochimaru agreed, amused but too fond and warm himself to care that they were both being a little silly. He drew a breath and closed his eyes, letting his fingers curl in Sakumo’s wild hair.

He startled as Sakumo yipped suddenly, stiffening and yanking up. Orochimaru’s eyes snapped open and he sat up sharply but he could neither see nor sense any reason for his mate’s sudden alarm.

“Sakumo?” he questioned carefully, reaching out. “What’s wrong?”

“You’re carrying my cub!” Sakumo said nonsensically, then yelped and shook his head. “I mean- No, that’s not- Nothing is wrong. . .”

“What are you doing?” Orochimaru asked then, reasonably.

Sakumo sank down, meeting his gaze with a sheepish smile, then nudging gently at him. “Please? Let me?” he asked, coaxing, and Orochimaru allowed himself to be laid back against the pillows once more, watching Sakumo nestle against his stomach again as well, rubbing his cheek there.

“Are you going to explain?” Orochimaru asked, a little tart.

Sakumo rumbled softly, rubbing his fingers over Orochimaru’s stomach near his own nose. “I can hear the cub.” he said softly, pressing a little closer, his ear, Orochimaru realised, snugly against Orochimaru’s skin. “Their heart is beating. Oro. . . Lovely, I can. . .” he looked up, eyes slightly wet.

“Oh.” Orochimaru said, blinking rapidly and looking away even as he reached for Sakumo, stroking him almost absently, focusing on the little ball of chakra and warmth that was their growing child.

Notes:

(I plotted this as Oro being about 8 weeks pregnant; heartbeat can be heard as early as 6 weeks sometimes - by machinery, at least, and, it seems from observation, by dogs. ;) The wolfy Hatake are definitely canine enough in their senses to count.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo cuddled into the twining embrace of his new mate, nuzzling and nipping at Orochimaru’s shoulder, enjoying lavishing attention on the pale, oddly-textured skin and almost enjoying more the soft sounds and easy movements as Orochimaru allowed him to do so. He stilled, catching himself with his teeth pressed low against the base of Orochimaru’s long neck. He whined, swallowed down the sound, and drew back.

“Sakumo?” Orochimaru asked with lazy warmth, winding one leg more neatly around Sakumo’s and pulling him closer.

Sakumo hummed, lifting his head and trailing kisses along Orochimaru’s sharp jaw. His eyes dropped to the red mark rising on Orochimaru’s throat, and he winced.

“What is it?” Orochimaru asked, tilting his head away before Sakumo could kiss him.

“Nothing.” Sakumo denied, reaching for Orochimaru again and whining in unhappy surprise when Orochimaru pushed him back and began untangling their limbs to pull away.

“Don’t feel you must force yourself,” Orochimaru said sharply, “if you don’t want-”

He was cut off as Sakumo pounced to catch him, tumbling him backwards onto the grass. “Of course I-” He paused. Orochimaru smirked unrepentantly. “You did that intentionally.”

“It has been rather obvious,” Orochimaru said, his eyes softening and his fingers trailing over Sakumo’s face in a gentle caress, “that you do . . . want. Me.”

Sakumo shivered, shifting to let his weight rest atop his mate a little more. “So much. For always.” he agreed, and Orochimaru’s sharp features softened even more, that little spark of warmth and . . . not quite disbelief coming into his eyes which so charmed Sakumo . . . and which he so hated. Orochimaru shouldn’t be surprised that Sakumo wanted him, nor that he was open about it.

“I do want to know why you were drawing away.” Orochimaru said, eyes sharp as the searched Sakumo’s face. His own gaze dropped to Orochimaru’s neck, and he murmured an apology for the mark as he dipped his head to kiss the spot lightly.

“You cannot possibly think you’ve hurt me.” Orochimaru said, voice dry and a bit acidic.

“No.” Sakumo agreed, shifting. “But neither did you agree to be marked, or bitten, and I shouldn’t have. . .” He smiled crookedly, meeting Orochimaru’s gaze and nuzzling his cheek. “Wolf I may be, but man too, and instinct is no excuse for taking in absence of permission.”

“Permission.” Orochimaru said, and Sakumo hummed curiously even as he took in the tiny smile curling his mate’s lips. “You have mine.” he added, startling Sakumo. He leaned up for a soft kiss. “Mark me if you like, my wolf . . . my mate,” Orochimaru nudged up against him as he growled, startled and pleased and possessive, “I like the feel of your teeth,” he grinned sharply, “and I like. . .”

Sakumo dipped his head and nuzzled Orochimaru’s throat. “Mine.” he growled.

Yes.” Orochimaru’s voice was not quite a moan, but it still throbbed with pleasure as Sakumo nipped and then bit firmly at his throat.

Chapter 108: Kakashi

Chapter Text

“Hey!”

Sakumo let the hand gripping his arm stop him, but bared his teeth unhappily.

“Don’t give me that look.” Tsunade snapped. “You; no sex, no matter how recovered he says he is, got it? Not for at least two weeks and I’d rather four to six. Having a baby isn’t like shaking off a body blow, no matter how bad.” she added pointedly.

Sakumo eyed her in disbelief. “I’m not an idiot.” he said sharply in return, twisting to pull against Tsunade’s hold. She glared, but let him go, and Sakumo darted through the door back to his mate and cub.

Orochimaru looked up with a smile, looking rather softer around the edges than he would usually allow to show quite so easily, so far from their den. Sakumo grinned back, then dropped his gaze to the tiny bundle in Orochimaru’s arms, mostly green blanket and wild silver hair from this angle.

Sakumo moved closer, and Orochimaru shifted over, with a soft hiss as he moved, face creasing with discomfort - right, Sakumo thought dryly, he was supposed to be stupid enough to think his mate would be up to wanting sex - to make room on the bed. Sakumo happily nestled there beside him, curling around his shoulder and nuzzling his ear, peering down at their cub.

“He’s perfect, lovely.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru laughed, leaning into his embrace.

“So you’ve said.” Orochimaru’s voice was warm and soft. “Including when he was squashy and red and barely breathing yet. And so bloody you couldn’t even tell what colour his hair was.”

“Because he is.” Sakumo said, kissing his mate’s cheek. “Absolutely perfect. And you are wonderful.”

“I think the labour hormones are affecting you more than me.” Orochimaru teased, and Sakumo hugged him gently tighter, crooning and nuzzling his mate affectionately. He did smell different; sharp with pain and thick with blood and a strange heavy scent not entirely unlike the one that had come as he carried their cub, but at the same time new. He sighed, closing his eyes and resting against Sakumo’s shoulder. “I’m . . . pleased.”

He didn’t say whether it was with the cub or Sakumo or simply everything, and Sakumo didn’t ask, kissing the top of his head and gently offering support when he allowed their cub to slide down his chest.

“Take him, wolf-heart.” Orochimaru said lazily, and Sakumo grinned, shifting to put his shoulder against the mattress and let his mate curl into him, even as he carefully scooped their cub up into his free arm. Orochimaru rested one hand over the tiny body and sighed, relaxing against Sakumo without opening his eyes.

Sakumo crooned to their cub, watching as his blue-grey eyes opened. “Hello, little cub. It is wonderful to finally have you in my arms. Our little Kakashi.”

“I can’t believe I let you name him that.” Orochimaru said with a soft laugh, tucking his head against Sakumo’s shoulder.

Chapter 109: Too Short (between missions)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo shook his head, laughing, as he slipped out of the meeting room and into the corridor, thinking of dropping by the jounin lounge before making his way home. He paused as a lean figure slipped past him, even before a quick breath brought an acidic, sharp smell to his nose.

“Lovely?” Sakumo turned, gaze following his mate. “You’re back!”

Orochimaru whirled, face showing startlement for a fraction of a heartbeat. “Sakumo.” He smiled, expression softening, then looked away, lips falling into a thin line. “For now.”

“Of course,” Sakumo said, waving off his companion and moving to his mate, “but for now you’re-”

“No,” Orochimaru said, reaching up and brushing his fingertips over Sakumo’s jaw, then sighing, “Sarutobi-sensei has already ordered us out again.”

Sakumo tensed. “What?” he demanded in a low growl.

Orochimaru stepped closer, then glanced past Sakumo and stilled. His mouth tightened and he curled his fingers into Sakumo’s shirt, drawing him down the corridor. In a few moments they were locked into a . . . closet. Sakumo brushed away a cobweb that had been disturbed and was drifting down to settle in his hair.

“You’re- Hokage-sama. . .” Sakumo swallowed, fighting the urge to snarl.

Orochimaru wrapped his arms around Sakumo, hands sliding up his back, and bowed his head, leaning against Sakumo for support. He cradled his mate close, crooning soothingly, though his voice wavered with upset. It wasn’t that he wasn’t used to Orochimaru being sent away, taken away, or himself for that matter, but. . .

“We leave again before nightfall. As soon as possible, probably no more than an hour, and we have to get to requisitions.” Orochimaru said, voice low.

“Oh- Oh, lovely.” Sakumo tried not to whine, though he couldn’t help his arms tightening around his mate. “So soon.” It was. . . It was against regulations, ones that were in place for reasons, but the Hokage ordered as he willed, of course.

Orochimaru raised his head, cheek brushing Sakumo’s, then leaned even closer. “I miss you, my wolf.” he said, his voice thin.

“And I you, lovely.” Sakumo said, squeezing him tighter and giving easily when Orochimaru moved to take a kiss.

Tsunade’s voice echoing through the corridor outside, calling for Orochimaru, interrupted their embrace no more than a minute later, and Sakumo did whine then, having to force himself to release his mate from his arms. “I-” he began, then swallowed back his next words.

Orochimaru caressed his cheek. “I’ll find you again before we leave.” His fingertips brushed Sakumo’s mouth. “I haven’t long. But I will.”

Sakumo nodded and kissed his fingertips, and then he was gone.

Chapter 110: Stolen Moment (between missions)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Sakumo.”

Sakumo twitched, head coming up as he spotted his approaching mate. He abandoned his conversation immediately, moving to Orochimaru’s side in several quick strides. He paused, but Orochimaru closed the final distance, so Sakumo wrapped his arms around his mate as he had wished to do.

“Lovely. . .” Sakumo nuzzled Orochimaru’s face, glancing past him to where Tsunade stood in the doorway, scanning the ninja present. Her face twisted and she turned to leave. Dan wasn’t there, Sakumo thought fleetingly, then winced for her - Dan wasn’t in the village, wasn’t due back for days.

“We meet at the gates in thirty minutes.” Orochimaru said, barely a breath. “I want to- Do you have that time?”

Sakumo’s heart ached. “Of course.”

“I want to spend it with you.” Orochimaru kissed his jaw. Sakumo drew him out of the lounge and into the empty hall beyond, then kissed him properly, and Orochimaru moaned, going pliant against him, save for the tight grip he kept on Sakumo.

“Oh, lovely.” Sakumo murmured as their lips parted, nuzzling and kissing Orochimaru’s face almost thoughtlessly, holding him close. “I can’t believe. . .” He sighed.

Orochimaru echoed him, then shifted in his arms, rubbing their noses together. “Perhaps- Perhaps we will return before you. . .” he trailed off. Faint hope.

“Soon.” Sakumo said almost hollowly. They would, one day, do more than cross paths once more, but with no promise of when it was . . . not as heartening a promise as it could have been. “I love you, my own darling mate. You carry my heart with you even if I cannot follow you.” he said, voice low.

Orochimaru shifted his embrace, reaching up to cup Sakumo’s face instead. “My heart is with you, my wolf.” he said gently, rubbing their noses together and then kissing him softly again. “. . .Sakumo?”

“Lovely?” Sakumo replied, returning the nuzzling affectionate gesture.

“I want you, want to feel you,” Orochimaru said, soft and quick, “before I must part from you again. Please.”

Sakumo hummed, cocking his head, then- “Oh.”

“Will you-”

“Always.” Sakumo said, then swallowed thickly. “But are you sure-”

Orochimaru tugged him along towards a disused storage space separated from the jounin lounge by a single room, two thin walls. “I won’t have you again for-” he broke off with an angry, hurt hiss. “I need you now.”

Sakumo pushed him into the small space and kicked the door shut. “Whatever you need, whatever you want; all of me is yours, mate.” he murmured, already dipping his head to Orochimaru’s throat, hands coming up to find the quickest way to skin beneath clothes and armour.

Chapter 111: Soft Haste (between missions)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“What do you need, lovely?” Sakumo asked against his mate’s mouth, hands up under cloth, sliding over smooth skin.

Orochimaru kissed him, soft and warm and lingering. “What about you, wolf-heart? It isn’t only me. . .” he said against Sakumo’s mouth as the kiss broke, voice low.

Sakumo rested their brows together. “I only need you.” he said softly.

It made his mate tremble, with a small, almost pained sound, hands stroking his face and running through his hair. “I want to feel you inside.” Orochimaru said after a moment, and kissed Sakumo. “You blotting out the world.” He sighed, nuzzling Sakumo’s cheek. “We can’t. . .”

“Of course.” Sakumo said, vaguely lost for a moment before it clicked. Orochimaru wanted to be taken, but had to meet his team in half an hour. Less. Sakumo couldn’t knot him, not now. “I won’t. Orochimaru,” he dipped his head, nuzzling his mate’s long, slender throat, “you’ll be running, on your mission,” he tilted his head, “are you sure?”

“I’m sure.” Orochimaru said with a flicker of amusement. “I want to feel you. To carry it with me. You’re hardly going to hurt me.”

“As you wish.” Sakumo promised, and a minute, two, quick breaths and gentle caresses, had them entangled on a worn couch shoved into this room who knew how long ago and forgotten. Orochimaru’s body opened quickly under the press of his slick fingers, eager to take him in again despite the time since they had last done this; familiar with his mate’s unimaginably flexible body, Sakumo had mostly expected it, and he took no longer than necessary. “Orochimaru, are you. . .”

Yes. . .” Orochimaru hissed, arching and folding his legs around Sakumo’s hips. “I am, I do, come. . .”

Sakumo shifted and rolled his hips as the head of his cock nudged into place against his mate’s body, then sank into him with ease. Orochimaru arched against him even harder, hands sliding up his chest and around his shoulders, body welcoming him in and limbs twining around him to hold him close.

Sakumo moved quickly, but gentle, keeping close to his mate, rocking into him firmly, just quick enough and solid enough not to draw things out - they hadn’t time - but to let them build pleasure and warmth between them as though the connection could hold even when they had to part.

Chapter 112: Parting Ways (between missions)

Chapter Text

Sakumo shuddered and pulled back with a whine, keeping his rocking thrusts shallower as his knot began to swell. It was no help when his mate let out a soft sound of protest at the withdrawal, pulling at him, body so ready to welcome his thrusts, to take all of him.

Sakumo held back through, nuzzling Orochimaru’s throat and speeding up a little as he stroked his mate’s body and twisted against Orochimaru to match his movements.

Though Sakumo could have remained lost in his mate forever . . . it had to end, and they had little time to linger in each other besides. He brought his mate to the edge of ecstasy, lost in kisses, and then stifled a cry of startled pleasure as Orochimaru’s body tightened around him, release spilling between them, and Orochimaru’s short, sharp canines sank into his shoulder.

Sakumo stifled himself to a soft, breathy cry of his own as he tipped over into orgasm, hips stuttering with a shudder that ran down to his toes. His knot throbbed as it nudged up against his mate’s body. Sakumo was overcome by a wave of pleasure that carried the dull ache of knowing his mate would be leaving him again.

Orochimaru released his shoulder with a gentle nudge and a trail of kisses, raising his head to meet Sakumo’s eyes. He drew Orochimaru into a soft, lingering kiss, holding on to his mate for as long as he could.

But eventually they had to part. Sakumo pulled away from his mate with a reluctant murmur, only to be brought back immediately for a kiss. Orochimaru sighed as it ended, fingers trailing down Sakumo’s cheek and across his shoulder.

Sakumo helped him clean up and redress, buckling his armour back into place with gentle care. Orochimaru kissed him again, harder, desperate, then stepped away. In another moment he was gone, spirited out the door and probably already running for the gates to meet his team.

Sakumo replaced his own clothing, then dropped onto the couch once more rather than leave himself. His shoulder throbbed from Orochimaru’s bite, a pleasant, pulsing warmth. Sakumo drew a deep breath, smelling his mate and sex and revelling in it, not willing to return to other company just yet, nor to slip past them and return to his empty home.

Chapter 113: Active Night

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru gently shifted Sakumo’s arm away from himself, rolling away from his mate and up onto his knees, sliding one hand over the gentle slope of the hatchlingcub he carried. They kicked his palm, and his lips twitched.

“Lovely?” Sakumo asked softly, and Orochimaru glanced back, humming. “Something wrong?”

“No.” Orochimaru shook his head. “Go back to sleep, wolf-heart.”

Sakumo grumbled, expression tightening as he struggled to make Orochimaru out in the dark, focus slightly off. Orochimaru’s eyes, pupils gone wide to adjust, were far better in the dark. He reached over and smoothed a hand over his mate’s side.

“The cubling is awake.” Orochimaru said, and laughed. “It is very difficult to sleep with tiny cub limbs bumping into my ribs and internal organs.”

Sakumo whined sympathetically, sliding a hand up Orochimaru’s thigh. “You’re sure you’re all right?” he asked.

Orochimaru nodded and made an affirmative noise. “I’ll come back to bed once they’re asleep again. It’s fine.”

Sakumo made an agreeable noise, then stroked Orochimaru’s middle. “Be nice to your Mama; why are you awake now, little one?”

Orochimaru pressed his hand close for a moment, sliding it to where the cubling was currently pressing outwards. “I’m still. When I’m training or even just moving around the house, they have my movements and my voice to soothe them to sleep. I assume nights are boring.”

Sakumo made a low grumbling sound, but nodded. “Wake me if you need me?”

“I will be perfectly fine.” Orochimaru assured him, releasing his hand and rising.

The cubling kicked high up under Orochimaru’s ribs again as he walked out of the bedroom, closing the door quietly. “Hush, little one. I need to sleep too, you know.” he murmured, though he was not feeling it too badly at the moment. He went to his workroom for the book he had been reading earlier, then slipped out into the garden to walk as he read.

He got distracted and he suspected the cubling had been quiescent for some time by the time he properly noticed the lack of tiny blows, but he finished the section he was reading, then left the book by the door into the house and made his way back to bed.

Sakumo stirred groggily again, opening his arms for Orochimaru and cuddling against him without properly waking. Orochimaru yawned, fangs flicking forwards with the muscle tension, and grimaced to fold them back again as he sighed and closed his eyes.

Now he was quite tired, and he hoped the cubling would allow him to sleep until morning.

Notes:

I went on midnight walks with my sister a few times while she was carrying my eldest niece, in her attempts to get my nibling-to-be to go back to sleep.

Chapter 114: Wants

Chapter Text

“Mm. . .” Sakumo nipped at Orochimaru’s mouth gently, sucking at his mate’s thin lower lip and letting his fangs catch it lightly, prompting a soft hiss. He smiled, hands sliding over Orochimaru’s lean body all but pinning him to the wall, more than pleased to be so trapped. “What do you want, my lovely?” he asked, nuzzling Orochimaru’s jaw, then biting there, too, working his way lower.

Orochimaru made a soft breathy sound of approval, tilting his head back and aside to make room, allowing Sakumo to get right at the soft place up under his jaw and drag his fangs over it. Orochimaru groaned and pushed harder against him when he did, body arching.

Sakumo let his hands catch at Orochimaru’s hips, pulling him in tight and rocking up against him, their cocks meeting through their clothes with a rough slide that sent heat up his spine.

Sakumo slid one hand down over Orochimaru’s lean ass, squeezing and drawing him even nearer. Orochimaru moaned softly as he pushed fluidly into Sakumo’s chest, fingers catching at his shoulders and tugging his hair, then sliding down his arms. Sakumo let his hands be caught in his mate’s, catching his breath as Orochimaru drew back, giving him a slow smirk.

Sakumo raised an eyebrow, waiting, and Orochimaru squeezed his hands, then kept hold of only one as he turned away and pushed his pants down. Sakumo swallowed, eyes drifting down his mate’s lovely body, moving without thinking when Orochimaru tugged him closer.

“I want you,” Orochimaru said, sliding gracefully to his knees and pulling Sakumo along with him, “in me and over me and. . .” He tilted his head and met Sakumo’s eyes over his own shoulder with a smirk. “Owning me.”

Sakumo heard himself make a low, slightly strangled sound, and Orochimaru’s smirk grew. He arched his back, letting his supporting arm fold and lowering his head and shoulders, spreading his thighs and tilting his hips.

Sakumo’s cock ached, only worsened by the pressure of his pants over it, but he ignored that for the moment, squeezing Orochimaru’s hand in his and sliding his free hand over his mate’s hip as he bent. Orochimaru moaned softly, then louder as Sakumo bit his ass - gently, a slide of fangs that didn’t scratch.

Sakumo rubbed his cheek against taut muscle and then tilted his head to nudge his mate’s thighs open a little further, letting him get his tongue to Orochimaru’s ass. His breath caught, and he made a low, wanting sound, arching as Sakumo grinned and licked up into him.

Chapter 115: Another

Chapter Text

Sakumo stirred, raising his head and then rolling onto his side, propping himself on one elbow. “No Tenzou?” he asked, eyeing Orochimaru.

Orochimaru slid the door closed, rolling one shoulder fluidly. “He wanted to stay with his brother in his room.” he supplied. He had left the toddler cuddling up to his indulgent brother, already falling asleep, though Kakashi had been reading over his head.

Sakumo nodded understanding, shifting to watch, smiling lazily, as Orochimaru moved to trade the yukata he had been wearing for a proper sleep yukata. Orochimaru turned to find his mate’s appreciative eyes lingering on him, and took a little longer to wrap the yukata around himself and tie it into place than really necessary.

Sakumo grinned as Orochimaru approached him, holding out his free hand. Orochimaru knelt and slid close as he rolled onto his side facing his mate, twining his fingers with Sakumo’s and meeting him with a kiss. Sakumo’s mouth was warm and gentle against his own, the pressure of broad fangs against his lip making Orochimaru shiver.

“Do you think they’ll stay in their room all night?” Sakumo asked, rubbing his thumb over Orochimaru’s hand, tucking their clasped hands against Orochimaru’s hip.

“Perhaps.” Orochimaru said, tipping his head. “Actually, there was something I . . . wished to discuss with you.”

“Mmn?” Sakumo nuzzled his jaw, then pulled away to meet his gaze. “What’s that, lovely?” he asked, voice soft.

“Tenzou is . . . grown a little, now. . .” Orochimaru said softly, nestling closer to his mate and squeezing Sakumo’s fingers. Sakumo nodded, eyes on Orochimaru’s. “We spoke, once, before Tenzou, of. . .”

Sakumo slid their twined hands to Orochimaru’s belly. “Another cub?” he murmured, eyes bright.

Orochimaru tilted his head slightly. “Would you still want another, wolf-heart?” he asked, though he was fairly sure of his answer. Sakumo’s breath caught, and Orochimaru smiled slightly. “Do you think the cublings are old enough?” he added.

Sakumo’s fingers tightened on Orochimaru’s and he nodded slowly. They discussed the logistical matters of their little ones and their missions, the state of Konoha’s forces and how badly they were both needed, and while they would need to speak on it again. . .

Orochimaru smiled, eyes closed, as Sakumo stroked his stomach as though he already carried another child there. “Another cub. . .” Sakumo said in a soft, awed tone. Orochimaru’s smile widened, and he reached for his mate, fingers sliding over his arm and side, cuddling into him. “You. . . Truly, lovely?”

“I want another one.” Orochimaru said plainly, opening his eyes and meeting a stormy grey gaze warm with love.

“I . . . would love to have another cub with you.” Sakumo said, thumb rubbing over Orochimaru’s stomach, and leaned over him for a lingering kiss.

Chapter 116: Missing (reverse)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo nodded absently in response to Jiraiya’s question, winced, then thanked Tsunade for cleaning up the slice in his bicep and sealing it back together. The muscles drew properly again when he flexed his arm, and he’d been beginning to feel a bit foggy from the bleeding but that had cleared out a little now.

Tsunade nodded sharply, patting his back a bit too hard, as ever. Sakumo looked beyond her absently, then scanned the scattered nin converging back on their position.

While there were those who had fallen - and Sakumo felt the clawing grip of grief at his throat, for those who had been friends, comrades-in-arms - there was one . . . very notable absence.

Orochimaru was not the fretful sort, Sakumo hadn’t expected to have a distressed mate crying and fussing over him, even given his wounds. But Orochimaru was nowhere in sight. Orochimaru who was lightning quick and who Sakumo had seen - heart in his mouth - shake off damage that would have killed a lesser shinobi with hardly a break in stride.

No, no, no. . . Sakumo thought, worry sparking in his chest, breathing deep and moving away from his mate’s teammates without a pause as they spoke to him. He drew another deep breath, scenting blood and fright and anger and pain, the unpleasant mingle of many jutsu of different natures having clashed, poison and steel. . .

But there was one scent, one Sakumo knew better than almost anything, one he needed, and he scanned the fallen ninja as he searched it out. There was no sign of Orochimaru amongst the fallen nin, their own and the enemy, but- There.

Sakumo followed the traces of Orochimaru’s scent only to pull up short as they . . . ended. No jump or sideswipe, just a stop . . . in a pool of blood and bitter acid and snake.

Sakumo whined, sharp and mournful, searching frantically for any trace of Orochimaru, finding nothing save his mate’s scent, his mate’s blood, and a handful of his mate’s kunai.

“Sakumo!” Dan clasped his arm. “He’s not here. We’ve searched the field, he’s the only one missing.” he added when Sakumo looked at him, breathless with fear and need. “We have to move. Come on.”

Sakumo stared at his friend, feeling like he’d been kicked in the chest.

Dan gave him a not unsympathetic look. “I know.” he said quietly. “We have to move, though. He’s strong, and he’s smart, he’ll catch up to us if he can. He’s not here, and he’s not in range. If you can’t track him. . .”

Sakumo keened low in his throat, and Dan dragged him away, stifling him with some difficulty and not much success. Sakumo struggled to pull free without hurting his friend, still searching for any trace of his mate.

Notes:

Don't worry, I remember; this is Coil and Croon, not Broken Pack!

next in arc

Chapter 117: Seeking and Summoning (reverse)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo whined softly, pushing his still full bowl back into Dan’s hands. His friend frowned at him, settling at his side, and didn’t protest or push. Their shoulders brushed and it was a trace of comfort, though Sakumo could barely focus on it.

His body ached from the battle and he was stiff and weakened even with Tsunade’s work at healing him, but he barely focused on that either. His mind kept fixing on the torn earth, the scorched gouges that his mate’s blood had soaked into, the way Orochimaru’s scent just . . . ended there. . .

A feathery brush at his ankle made him twitch; a familiar type of smooth, sliding-

Sakumo didn’t jerk his leg away but he twisted to look at his feet, and a small dark snake lifted its head to look back at him. “Ah- Oh, Masami.” he said quietly.

“Wolf!” Masami coiled around his calf, looping upwards, and Sakumo put a hand down for him.

“Oro-” Sakumo’s voice wavered. “He’s missing, he’s not here-”

“Yes, yes.” Masami said, flicking his tail as he wound around Sakumo’s forearms. He hissed again as Sakumo swallowed thickly, and then there was a flash of quickly-clearing smoke and-

Lovely!” Sakumo yowled, lunging to his feet.

Orochimaru tilted his head, reaching out one hand, lips slanting into a pained smile. He was leaning heavily on the thick purple body of a snake that looked very like Manda . . . if much smaller. “Wolf. . .”

Sakumo threw his arms around his mate, belatedly remembering Masami only as the snake made a small, sibilant, huffy sound and slithered along one arm and up to his shoulders, muttering. Orochimaru leaned heavily against him, still propped up by the snake at his side. Sakumo wondered fretfully if he could even stand on his own.

Tsunade’s voice broke into his thoughts, and Sakumo ceded space to allow her close to his mate, but growled softly at retreating . . . and couldn’t make himself go far. Orochimaru stroked his arm, glancing at him with a soft smile.

Masami squeezed around his shoulders again and Sakumo whined but stepped back when Tsunade grouched at him, watching her green-glowing hands seek out Orochimaru’s wounds. The scent of his mate’s blood thick in his nose was not reassuring, but he knew his mate was strong and steady; seeing him on his feet, even with support, was almost as reassuring as seeing that Tsunade was healing him.

Chapter 118: Safe (reverse)

Chapter Text

Sakumo stroked his mate’s back, nuzzling his brow as he sighed. “I was . . . so worried,” he murmured, “when I found your blood, the battlefield. . . Your scent just gone. . .”

Orochimaru crooned softly, petting his side in return and then hugging him a little more tightly around the waist. “I’m sorry, my own.” he said softly, lifting his head to kiss Sakumo’s jaw, curling into him with a stiff little gesture and a barely-there groan of pain.

Sakumo shifted to support his mate more fully, rewarded with Orochimaru’s weight settling across his shoulder and chest - which ached a bit with the pressure, but not enough to be a problem - and a slight smile.

“I searched for you, but. . .” Sakumo whined. The snake coiled around his bicep and shoulder squeezed, hissing quietly.

“When I saw the jutsu coming,” Orochimaru shrugged fluidly, then rolled his shoulders to settle comfortably again, “there was no way to dodge without risking the flaming spikes spreading through our ranks . . . and I couldn’t guarantee I could block it.” He frowned, clearly displeased.

“So . . . reverse summoning.” Sakumo filled in, and Orochimaru smiled and inclined his head. Sakumo sighed, nuzzling his mate. “I’m just glad you’re safe.”

Orochimaru laughed softly. “Me too, Sakumo.” He lifted a hand, brushing his fingertips over Sakumo’s cheek. “I’m here.” he added gently, barely a breath.

He surrendered with equal gentleness as Sakumo kissed him, lips soft and body close and warm. He still smelled of blood and battle, but he was safe and breathing steady, and he was here in Sakumo’s arms, heavy against him.

Sakumo settled, mind calm once more, and eventually slept with his mate twined close in his embrace, clinging to Sakumo as though he drew equal comfort from the contact.

Chapter 119: Replacement

Chapter Text

“I can’t believe you would just replace me this way! Do I mean so little?”

Orochimaru had been mostly tuning his friend out - he found it far better for his patience in general - but that made him refocus. “. . .replace you?” he repeated, lip curling. “When have you and I ever been-”

“You know what I mean!” Jiraiya said, frowning and leaning into Orochimaru’s personal space. “How could you-”

“Aside from the fact that you are habitually out of the village and out of contact for months on end, making your place as my friend a rather easy one to fill, one might suggest,” Orochimaru said dryly, ignoring Jiraiya’s sudden more serious scowl and the beginnings of a protest, “the wolf is not a friend, you know that.”

Jiraiya slouched sideways, huffing. “I do, I just. . .”

“Just what?” Orochimaru asked impatiently, irritated.

“He’s . . . a man, Orochi.” Jiraiya said, and Orochimaru watched him, blinking, expression not changing. “How can you- That is. . .”

“I am aware.” Orochimaru said, amused as Jiraiya’s point resolved. “He is a very handsome man, in fact. You should hear the kunoichi praise him.” And they, he thought with a sly little smirk, didn’t even know the look of him beneath his uniform . . . or indeed, what he was like in bed. Or anywhere.

Jiraiya made a horrified face, and Orochimaru rolled his eyes. “No one is asking you to find him attractive.” he said with studied patience. “I have always found rather more attraction in things other than the largest available pair of breasts, and Sakumo suits me quite well.”

“There’s more to it than just the sizable chest.” Jiraiya huffed, then fidgeted. “I still don’t see how. . .” he trailed off.

Orochimaru patted his arm. “Perhaps you should leave it at that and stop trying.” he suggested wryly. “If you are so concerned,” he continued, restraining the urge to snort in disbelief; it was, he supposed, faintly possible, “I assure you . . . Sakumo makes me very happy. In bed and out of it.” he added after a beat, laughing as Jiraiya’s face twisted in horror once more.

Chapter 120: Snake Whispering

Chapter Text

“Sakumo? Sakumo, man, wake up.”

Sakumo groaned, but he was already rolling over towards the voice. He cracked an eye open. “What?” he rasped. He couldn’t have been asleep for more than an hour, if even that long, and it had been a long run before then. A long run carrying an injured teammate.

“There’s a snake.”

Sakumo’s eyes snapped open fully. “What?”

“There’s a snake, it’s bloody and hissing like mad and huge and-”

“Where?” Sakumo demanded, rolling to his feet and shoving his feet into his sandals as he shrugged on his vest.

“Just outside the camp.” Hoka said, pointing, and his mouth twisted apologetically. “We’re not sure if it’s one of Orochimaru-sama’s, but. . .”

Sakumo nodded and darted out of the tent, heading for the edge of the camp in the direction Hoka had indicated.

He heard the hissing curses before he came into range to spot the dull green and blue snake. There were a handful of jounin in a loose semicircle around them, though none of them had dared come anywhere close.

Sakumo hissed through his teeth at the thick scent of blood, most of it belonging to the snake.

“Wolf!” the snake cried, thrashing and unerringly pointing their nose at him. “Wolf!”

Sakumo bowed his head and moved nearer, not without some caution. The snake hissed angrily and went limp with another gout of blood from their side. If they didn’t calm enough to allow some treatment soon they were likely to die, Sakumo thought, mouth twisting. He crouched and rested a hand on the great head, and a dark tongue flickered out, the movement wrapping it around his wrist for a moment.

“Wolf.”

“Yes, yes.” Sakumo said softly, gently stroking the battered snout. “You need medical attention. Do you have important news from my mate?”

The snake hissed and twisted, winding their broad, bloodied body around Sakumo, and he heard nervous muttering from a few other jounin. Sakumo stroked their head as they huffed, then muttered a report that included little of urgency . . . now that the squad they had run into after leaving Orochimaru and his team had been dealt with.

“Thank you.” Sakumo returned, rubbing beneath one great slitted yellow eye. “Will you let us help you?”

The snake cursed a bit more, but assented to remain still and allow an iryou nin to offer aid, as long as he stayed by it. Sakumo suspected it would be hard enough getting one of them to come and help even with him here, certainly any other Konoha nin was unlikely to approach if he didn’t remain.

Chapter 121: Compassion

Chapter Text

“-you understand, then. I only come out of concern.”

Sakumo fought not to squeeze Kakashi - sound asleep - closer to himself with enough force to hurt his cub, or wake him. “I see. Yes. Of course.” he said, voice rough. “Excuse me.” He rubbed the side of his fist against his damp eyes.

“You’re a compassionate man.”

Sakumo smiled a flat, humourless smile. “Thank you.” He watched the twitch at the corner of a sharp, cold eye. Far colder than slitted golden eyes had ever been in his memory. And yet.

Sakumo showed their guest out and then curled up around his cub, fighting tears and clinging to Kakashi, still sleeping, for comfort.

When Sakumo woke again, it was to-

“Orochimaru!” Sakumo barked, lunging to his feet, Kakashi crushed close against his chest and waking with a whiny yelp.

Orochimaru froze, then turned towards him slowly, every movement slow and so careful it looked like it hurt.

“You came back.” Sakumo said, voice raw. “You actually returned here. To us.”

“Of course.” Orochimaru said, cool and wary. “I. . . The project was disbanded, and there was little enough- It is to be- I. . . Sakumo?” His eyes fell to their son.

Sakumo lunged for him, pressing Kakashi into his arms. Orochimaru let out a weak little sound and hugged him tight. Kakashi squirmed, then huffed as Orochimaru loosened his grip slightly, giving a low croon.

Sakumo wound his arms around his mate and their cub, whining and nuzzling Orochimaru’s jaw.

“You- You heard- You know. . .” Orochimaru began, and Sakumo whined again, then growled, nosing Orochimaru’s cheek.

“I know.” Sakumo said, low and aching. “I know you, as well, my lovely. My mate.”

“Mama?” Kakashi nestled more determinedly into his mother’s arms, head tipping back to look up at him.

Orochimaru closed his eyes with a rough little hitching breath that was just shy of a sob, and Sakumo hummed soothingly as he all but fell forwards, leaning into Sakumo. He shifted, somehow getting all three of them to the floor without collapsing, and nuzzled Orochimaru’s hair. “No one is getting you away from us, lovely. Not ever.” he said softly, and Orochimaru clung to him, holding Kakashi snug and safe between them.

Chapter 122: Quiet Words

Chapter Text

Sakumo ran his fingers through silky tresses, watching the inky strands spill over pale skin, sliding off Orochimaru’s back along his ribs and shoulder. He took a breath, unable to quite get the smile off his face, any more than he could calm himself enough to sleep.

Orochimaru rested peacefully beside him - in his bed - and Sakumo was pleased to see it - a deep part of him rumbling with possessive pleasure to see his chosen mate sleeping in his den, at his side. Peaceful and relaxed.

Sakumo trailed his fingers over Orochimaru’s back. “Please stay here, just like this, forever.” he said softly, barely aware he was speaking aloud. “Want you for my mate, for my own, for forever. . .” He bent and lightly kissed Orochimaru’s back, fingers straying back to the cool weight of Orochimaru’s hair even as he straightened once more.

“Say it again.”

Sakumo startled, eyes flicking up as Orochimaru shifted, meeting his gaze. “I- What?”

Orochimaru licked his lips, tilting his head but keeping his eyes locked with Sakumo’s. “Please. Say- Say it again?” he asked.

Sakumo was about to ask again, then- He bowed his head and kissed Orochimaru’s ribs lightly, smiling faintly as his breath caught. “I love you,” he said softly, and Orochimaru took a slow breath, “want you always.”

Orochimaru bit his lip, breathing a little unsteady.

“Please stay.” Sakumo said simply. “Mate. Mine. Please.” he added after a beat.

Orochimaru moved slowly, but when he did it was to press himself even closer to Sakumo, all but curling around him bodily. “I want that. Mate. Please.” he said, barely audible, as though he had to fight himself to even voice the words, a tiny wince and a shiver betraying perhaps an anticipation that the response would hurt.

Sakumo’s heart ached for him even as it soared with delight and pleasure and-

Sakumo kissed him, winding him into a tight embrace which he returned every bit as desperately, warm and needy in Sakumo’s arms.

Chapter 123: Quick

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo straightened the kakebuton absently on the line, then pushed his hair back from where the wind kept tugging at the strands Tenzou had already pulled partially free of the tail he wore. He turned and trotted back up to the engawa, shedding his sandals there and slipping into the house quietly.

He nearly broke that with a yelp when strong hands caught his shoulders, shoving him back against the wall. Sakumo’s eyes widened, and he moaned as his mate kissed him hard and fast, bringing his hands up to Orochimaru’s hips.

Before he could sink into it properly, Orochimaru was gone again, and Sakumo whined.

Orochimaru was dropping to his knees, though, hands shoving up Sakumo’s shirt and working his pants open. Sakumo’s breath caught. “Lovely-! Ah, the cubs?”

Orochimaru didn’t pause, getting his pants open and beginning to push them down, but glanced up to catch his eye with a wicked smile. “They’re asleep.” he said, nuzzling Sakumo’s hip, breath tickling his rapidly hardening cock.

His tongue flicked out and teased along the side of Sakumo’s shaft, then curled around it, hurrying along his erection. Sakumo’s back arched and he clenched his jaw to quiet himself, muscles twitching and hands curling into tight fists.

Orochimaru gave him another wicked smile, and then dropped it as he took Sakumo’s cock into his mouth in one quick slide. Sakumo whined, reaching for his mate and clutching at his hair. “Lovely- Lovely. . .” Sakumo groaned, knees wobbling.

Orochimaru didn’t pause, and his mouth was always wonderful, but when he tried like this, forceful and fast, all his sharp, considerable focus bent to pleasuring Sakumo. . .

He whined, squirming against the wall, rocking into his mate’s mouth as Orochimaru’s fingers curled tight around his hips. He couldn’t keep himself entirely quiet as Orochimaru worked him harder, thumbs rubbing the crest of his hipbones, tongue squeezing around his knot, but managed to restrain himself to breathy whines and moaning murmurs. He tangled his fingers in Orochimaru’s hair and braced himself against the wall, struggling not to collapse as his mate quickly drew him into dizzying pleasure, racing towards completion.

When he tipped over that edge, pleasure and heat swamping him, he would have collapsed to the floor if Orochimaru hadn’t pressed him back hard against the wall, uncoiling from his knees and rising to pin Sakumo there bodily.

“Oh.” Sakumo managed, still panting, nuzzling Orochimaru’s jaw. “Lovely.”

“Mm, wolf-heart?” Orochimaru said, and made a soft sound of pleasure as Sakumo kissed him, sloppy and tasting of his own release.

“Let me-” Sakumo whined in confusion as Orochimaru caught his hand before he could do more than stroke across his mate’s hip and stomach.

“You have that mission to go meet up for in,” Orochimaru paused, “about ten minutes, now. Possibly five.”

Sakumo blinked as he remembered that, then whined, frowning.

Orochimaru smiled at him. “Go, wolf-heart. I’m fine.” he said, and Sakumo frowned a little harder. Orochimaru kissed him, deep and lingering this time. “I wanted to please you. I wanted you in my mouth.” he said, voice low and rich with heat that made a twitch of arousal stir in Sakumo’s belly despite his recent orgasm. “If you want to turn it back on me,” he said, nipping Sakumo’s jaw lightly, “finish your mission quickly. You should be home by tomorrow’s dinner, yes? I’ll be waiting.”

Sakumo kissed him again, a fierce little promise, and then let his mate shoo him out of the house and off to his duty.

Notes:

Rumpled and mostly steady again, Sakumo meets his team and gets side-eyed by the other jounin. Boggling. 'Dude, did you get laid right before you came here? Don't you have two small children? How?'

Chapter 124: Trust (Trusting Dan)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Dan sighed, rubbing his palms over his thighs, then braced himself and headed into Shi no Mori. Favourite training ground, if that didn’t say something about the man. . .

What it said, though, was debatable, Dan thought. He hadn’t missed the looks and murmurs that passed around Orochimaru in the village. If he had been unable to walk comfortably from his home to the market without such things, he too might prefer a training ground that was largely unused, and too large to risk running into anyone else often anyway.

If Dan ever actually practised his reika no jutsu, he would have done it away from sight, too. It was easier for people to forget the unease it brought about, slot it as something like a Yamanaka trick, if they weren’t reminded of it between battles.

“Orochimaru-san.” Dan called, feeling a prickle creeping up the back of his neck. It was only a feeling, but-

“Dan.” Orochimaru greeted, materialising from the dark trees that no one with his colouring really ought to be able to hide amongst. He circled to face Dan, arching a brow.

“I came looking for you.” Dan admitted, both because he wanted to be honest, and because he suspected lying to Orochimaru would at the very least scupper his hopes here, if not worse.

The arched brow twitched and Orochimaru tilted his head slightly.

“I,” Dan paused, “would . . . you trust me?”

“Tsunade makes her own decisions. In everything.” Orochimaru said dryly. “My trust or distrust, or feelings on you in general, will hardly sway her.”

Dan blinked. “Ah. Yes, that.” He smiled, aware it was a little soppy. Orochimaru rolled his eyes, but his lips quirked into a slight smile as well. “And don’t think I am unaware you could have done something even if Tsunade might not have listened to you directly warning her.” And Dan was . . . not so sure of that. Tsunade not only cared deeply for Orochimaru, she trusted him, deep down . . . and sometimes she did not trust herself.

“You make her happy.” Orochimaru said, almost flat, eyes not quite meeting Dan’s.

Dan pounced on the opening. “That’s why I am asking.” he said hurriedly, and Orochimaru eyed him. “I . . . know someone who would dearly wish to make you happy.”

Orochimaru tensed, jaw tightening. “I have had quite enough of-” he cut himself off.

Dan smiled weakly. Orochimaru might not speak of it, but Tsunade had . . . and Dan had seen the kind of attention Orochimaru was often given, when he drew it at all. “That,” he said softly, “is why I am asking if you would trust me. This. . . He is not like that. I swear to you.” In fact if Sakumo were aware of the way people spoke of Orochimaru he might go after them himself, whether or not Orochimaru allowed his own attentions.

Dan had learned that the Hatake’s sense of appropriate conduct was very firm, if a bit cockeyed from that of most people, and they were generally very willing to underline it with fangs and muscle when they felt it had been crossed unacceptably.

Orochimaru examined Dan carefully. He waited patiently.

“You approach me yourself?” Orochimaru asked, shifting his weight, posture relaxing a little even as he crossed his arms.

“I didn’t want you to feel . . . pressed. If Tsunade brought it up.” Dan said, which was part of the reason anyway.

Orochimaru snorted, but Dan had seen him give way to Tsunade’s wishes when he clearly hadn’t wanted to too often to risk it.

“. . .yes.” Orochimaru said, and Dan twitched, straightening. “I would trust you. If you ask it. Even in this.” He looked away, and Dan smiled, pleased and relieved.

Chapter 125: A Chance (Trusting Dan)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Dan eyed his friend as he accepted the bowl of rice and fish Sakumo offered. He took a bite, then warily set it on the table and slid it down away from himself as he swallowed. Sakumo cocked his head, giving a half-whining curious sound.

“I have something to talk to you about.” Dan said, leaning forwards a little, and Sakumo raised his eyebrows, mouth full of fish. “Your,” he paused, “feelings for Orochimaru. . .”

Sakumo slumped, looking faintly downcast. “I have tried, Dan,” he said, shaking his head slightly, “he. . .” He trailed off. “I don’t wish to make myself a nuisance, and I’m afraid I have verged perilously close to it already. He clearly doesn’t-”

“Orochimaru agreed to meet with you.” Dan interrupted before Sakumo could depress himself too much more. “Alone. He’ll give you a chance.”

Sakumo’s head shot up and he stared at Dan. “You- He-” his voice faltered.

“You’ve been a little pitiful.” Dan said, gently teasing. Sakumo had bolstered him and listened to his . . . verging on endless raptures about Tsunade; even were he inclined to be unkind to his friend he would have stifled himself in regards to Sakumo’s heart in this.

“Why would he. . .” Sakumo looked so painfully hopeful, confused and longing.

Dan looked at his friend, considering what Tsunade had told him, in what manner, and Sakumo’s likely reaction to the things Dan knew, and what Orochimaru would want known of it - then scratched that last; he had no doubt it was ‘nothing’ - and took a breath.

“He . . . doesn’t trust people,” Dan said carefully, and were Sakumo less smitten and less hopeful he probably would have said something rightfully mocking; ninja often didn’t, and it was hardly surprising Orochimaru would not, “when it comes to . . . intimacy or relationships. He . . . trusts me. I assured him- Ah!”

Sakumo moved entirely too fast for a man of his size, even for a ninja, and Dan wasn’t quite prepared when he went down off the bench with Sakumo on top of him, all but whining like a puppy. “You asked him for me? You vouched for me? He agreed?”

Dan laughed - a little breathlessly; Sakumo was broad and solid - shoving at his friend’s shoulder.

“. . .you didn’t . . . he agreed without you asking that he. . .” Sakumo trailed off, fidgeting, and Dan eyed him. He had no idea what Sakumo was asking, now. “It was- He wanted, or at least. . .”

. . .ah. Dan patted Sakumo’s shoulder. “I didn’t try and push him,” he assured softly; not that he thought he could have - Orochimaru might bow to Tsunade when she wheedled or pushed, but certainly no one else seemed able to manage it, “I only asked that he trust me when I said I . . . knew someone with an honest interest in him.”

Sakumo hugged him again, and Dan’s ribs creaked.

Chapter 126: Birthday Wake-Up Call

Notes:

There will be more of the Trusting Dan arc, after this brief interlude for Sakumo's birthday (September 3rd) as I realised two days ago that it was approaching~

There's also a small fluff oneshot I'll be posting on the topic today.

Chapter Text

Sakumo stirred with a rumbling sound of pleasure, stretching. The warmth against his shoulder pressed closer with a brush of lips, and he growled low with possessive pleasure.

Orochimaru kissed up Sakumo’s shoulder to his throat. “Ohayou, wolf-heart. Happy birthday.” he said in a silky tone. His hands slid over Sakumo’s sides and back, and he nuzzled higher, kissing the rim of Sakumo’s ear. “How would you like to spend it?”

Sakumo curled into his mate’s warmth, twisting to nuzzle his jaw and up to his cheek. “You mean you aren’t going to lead me a merry chase and make me catch you today?” he teased, though his belly tightened at the memory of the unexpected game his mate had sprung on him two years ago after their lazy afternoon sharing tea and a light meal.

“We can do that, too, if you like.” Orochimaru said with a throaty chuckle. Sakumo shivered, turning further towards him and sliding a hand over his hip, up his side.

“The cub?” Sakumo asked quietly, nudging bodily against Orochimaru and finally opening his eyes.

“Fed and settled back to sleep in the main room with Nori watching over him.” Orochimaru said, his eyes bright. “I also,” he said softly, dipping his head and brushing his lips against Sakumo’s cheek, “opened the windows . . . and set up the silencing seals. We won’t wake him.”

Sakumo growled, heat flaring low in his stomach. “How. . .”

He didn’t actually ask the question, but even with as sneaky as his mate was capable of being, and as easy as Sakumo was in his ever-trusted presence, that Orochimaru had risen, with their infant cub, and done so much before returning to Sakumo’s side. . .

Orochimaru laughed again, sliding his hand along Sakumo’s jaw and beginning to twine his body around Sakumo. “What would you like, my heart?” he asked, voice dropping almost into a purr.

Chapter 127: Chance Taken (Trusting Dan)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Kami be- Get off, you damned wolf!

Dan flinched, but didn’t hesitate, rather beginning to move faster. Sakumo answered Orochimaru’s sharp demand with a low growl, and Dan frowned.

Then he found his way between the trees to the clearing where they were, and-

Orochimaru shoved at Sakumo’s shoulder, pinned beneath him against the mossy ground, and Sakumo’s growl was mixed with laughter as he nuzzled Orochimaru’s shoulder. He was smiling, a little sharp but easy, and for all Sakumo had him trapped the shoving was light and playful. His free hand slid up and wound into Sakumo’s hair, pulling at him.

Dan let out a long breath, relieved, and missed whatever Orochimaru had said, but Sakumo answered it with an almost petulant no that rumbled in his throat.

Orochimaru sighed, tipping his head back a little - Sakumo twitched, body tensing, and Dan half wished he hadn’t been paying close enough attention to see stormy grey eyes drop to fix on Orochimaru’s long throat - then shifting to meet Sakumo’s gaze again. “I suppose I must suffer through this . . . ridiculousness?”

Sakumo rumbled softly, posture easing over Orochimaru as he leaned closer, nuzzling Orochimaru’s sharp jaw line.

Orochimaru’s tugging hand gentled into a stroke that ran the length of Sakumo’s hair, falling loose as Dan had rarely seen it. Sakumo’s eyes half-closed and he pressed his cheek to Orochimaru’s, even before Orochimaru’s caressing hand dropped, joining his other roaming up from Sakumo’s shoulder, to draw him into a kiss.

Dan watched them for a moment longer, then took a step back, turning away. Jiraiya could shove it, he wasn’t going to interrupt them - not when they looked so happy, entwined with each other.

He glanced back before moving around the trunk of one of the gargantuan trees, and caught a glimpse of Orochimaru all but curling around Sakumo as they kissed; slender fingers pressing into wild hair and big hands sliding down over narrow hips.

Chapter 128: Dinner (Trusting Dan)

Chapter Text

Dan smiled as he watched Sakumo mutter under his breath, moving between the pots on the stove. “Sure you don’t need any help?” he offered - as though he’d be any use, though if Sakumo gave him clear instructions. . .

“No, it’s fine.” Sakumo said absently, stirring one thing, pulling another off the heat, and sprinkling something into a third pot before covering it. “Everything’s under control and- Lovely!”

Dan straightened a little, humming, then turned as he heard a soft sound behind him.

Orochimaru passed through the doorway, fingers brushing over the wood with a faint rasp. He smiled, warm and broad. “Wolf.” he said, his voice silky.

Dan realised as Sakumo crossed the kitchen towards Orochimaru and murmured it again that lovely had been a petname, not an assessment.

He averted his gaze - mostly - as they met, Sakumo nuzzling Orochimaru’s face and catching his hips with both hands; Orochimaru laughing quietly and stroking Sakumo’s jaw, winding an arm around his waist.

Dan could hear the soft sounds of their lips meeting, and he hummed almost inaudibly, looking at the dinner on the stove.

“I’m glad you could make it after all.” Sakumo said, his voice low but warm and happy. Dan smiled a little. Sakumo rarely hid how he felt and it was nice that he was happy, now. More often and more deeply than Dan had ever seen his friend before.

“Mm . . . Tsunade does not require assistance to haul Jiraiya to the hospital, and even he knows well enough he’d best stay there when she does.” Orochimaru said with a ripple of laughter in his tone.

Dan straightened, glancing at them again just as Sakumo kissed Orochimaru’s cheek - he closed his eyes and leaned into Sakumo for a moment - then pulled away - slowly enough that Orochimaru’s fingers could trail down most of his chest before they lost contact - to return to the stove.

“Hospital?” Dan asked cautiously.

Orochimaru’s lips quirked into a sharp, vicious smile the likes of which Dan was far more used to seeing on him, when he smiled at all. “Oh, should you like to hear the story?” he offered, moving to take a seat at the table, back to Sakumo.

“Does it make good dinner conversation?” Sakumo asked with a laugh.

“Does Jiraiya ever?” Orochimaru returned dryly.

Dan smothered a laugh, and Orochimaru’s eyes gleamed. “Probably not. Do tell.” Dan asked, leaning forwards on the table even as Sakumo returned to join them, hands sliding over Orochimaru’s shoulders as he pressed up against Orochimaru’s back.

Chapter 129: Good Morning

Chapter Text

Halfway to rolling out of bed, Sakumo startled as a nipping kiss caught him near the base of his neck. He twitched and turned his head just as he heard his mate’s low, teasing laughter, and threw himself into the movement, catching Orochimaru’s wrist and rolling him onto his back, pinning him there.

Orochimaru squirmed, long legs bending and stretching out alongside Sakumo’s own, torso arching up as Sakumo leaned over him.

Sakumo laughed and dipped his head a little further, dragging one fang along Orochimaru’s jaw and rumbling with approving pleasure as he let his head fall back and tilt aside, baring his long, slender throat. Sakumo nuzzled it, then nipped sharply, tongue flicking over the scraped spot.

Orochimaru jumped beneath him, then moaned, one leg curling around Sakumo’s and pulling him inwards, closer. “Wolf-heart. . .” Orochimaru murmured, muscles flexing in Sakumo’s grip, though he didn’t fight to free his hands.

Sakumo kissed his way up his mate’s throat appreciatively, pausing when he came high enough to meet Orochimaru’s eyes, then catching his mouth in a warm, lingering kiss.

Orochimaru welcomed him in with gentle, eager warmth, tongue curling against his own, mouth soft and wanting. Sakumo shuddered and leaned into him more heavily, bringing himself further over his mate and sliding his hands up to clasp Orochimaru’s, still keeping them pinned to the futon on either side of his head.

Orochimaru arched into him, legs splaying to make room for Sakumo to settle between, catching Sakumo’s lower lip in his sharp teeth.

“Good morning, lovely.” Sakumo offered, voice rough and rumbling, and Orochimaru laughed even as he moved in a languid undulation that pressed his whole body up against Sakumo’s.

Chapter 130: Choices

Chapter Text

“Another thing,” Orochimaru said, voice soft, still relaxed against the tree at his back, “if you don’t mind. . .”

Sakumo kissed his palm, rubbing his thumb over Orochimaru’s hand as he lowered it again. “Anything you like.” he said honestly, both because he would answer anything Orochimaru wished to know of him, and because they had . . . sorted many things already between them that would be important for mates to know of each other, to agree upon.

“Do you want children?” Orochimaru asked, eyes on Sakumo’s face, and he stilled.

He was silent for a moment, then licked his lips and took a breath. It stung, quietly, but it was a never-was-and-never-will ache, not a freshly shattered loss.

“Lovely, it’s. . .” Sakumo smiled crookedly. “It’s all right. I would- I always. . . Well. Yes, I rather did, always.” He shook his head, relieved when Orochimaru only raised his eyebrows slightly, showing no sign of upset, his scent calm. “I made the choice before I asked you to be my mate, lovely. I want you. No one else. I’ve never wanted anyone else. I’m . . . all right with the fact that I’ll never have cubs.”

Orochimaru smiled at him, then stroked his cheek, and Sakumo nuzzled into the touch, eyes almost closing, glad he wasn’t upset. “You don’t have to give up the idea of children - cubs,” Orochimaru laughed softly, “to be with me.”

“Lovely,” Sakumo frowned, looking at Orochimaru properly again, “I don’t-”

“Wolf-heart,” Orochimaru interrupted, and Sakumo fell silent, “I think I should tell you something . . . about my clan and our bloodline.”

Sakumo hummed inquisitively, not sure what Orochimaru could be- He suddenly remembered with a cold pang that Orochimaru was the last of his clan as well, and if he wished their blood not to end with him. . . Sakumo’s stomach clenched. He didn’t know what he would do, if that were the case.

“I can carry children.” Orochimaru said, and Sakumo blinked, drawn immediately from the shock of anxiety that had swamped him. “If I choose. Any of my clan could, regardless of gender.” Sakumo opened his mouth, then closed it, shocked. “If we chose,” Orochimaru said slowly, voice low, “I could carry your child.”

“I- What?” Sakumo said, startled.

Orochimaru gave a slanted smile, a little tense, and Sakumo clasped his hand as he pulled it back, twining both of his own around it. “I’m only surprised.” Sakumo said, stroking Orochimaru’s hand. “You. . . Would you want to? Do you want cubs?”

Orochimaru’s face softened, and Sakumo’s breath caught at the look in his eyes. “I never thought I would,” he said, with a slow blink, then met Sakumo’s eyes, “but . . . I think I do. With you.”

Sakumo’s heart squeezed, and he leaned into his mate, nuzzling Orochimaru affectionately, pressing close to his side as he laughed, a little unsteadily, and slid one hand around to rest at the nape of Sakumo’s neck. His slim fingers trembled every so slightly, and Sakumo rumbled soft reassurance, lips brushing his mate’s jaw.

Chapter 131: Cowardly Wolf (Jiraiya taunts a wolf)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru laughed quietly, his usually-sharp face softening, and bent as slender, but powerfully-muscled arms wound around his shoulders. He closed his arms around Tsunade’s ribs in return, hugging her close and lifting her from the ground.

Tsunade laughed, tilting her head back and bringing her feet up with a quick bend of her knees as Orochimaru turned with her slowly, hugging her tight, then let her slide back down to the ground with a bouncing giggle.

Sakumo sighed, watching the warm smile that Orochimaru favoured her with, his eyes focused solely on her.

Sakumo was so focused himself he nearly spilled off his feet when Jiraiya shouldered him roughly. He blushed and tensed, ducking his head as his shoulders came up.

“They’re not a couple, you know.” Jiraiya said, giving him a slanted smile and dropping an arm around his shoulders.

Sakumo gave him a dubious look in return, then glanced back at where Tsunade was snuggling up against Orochimaru’s chest, most of her weight against him rather than on her own feet. She tugged at his shoulders and he bowed for her to nuzzle a kiss to his cheek.

“Your delusions aside, Jiraiya-”

Jiraiya’s grip tightening on him, forearm pressing against the side of his neck, cut off his pointed words, and Sakumo eyed his friend warily.

“They’re not . . . and if you care so much. . .” Jiraiya looked at him consideringly.

“It’s not my place to care.” Sakumo said stiffly, throat tight.

“Mm.” Jiraiya released Sakumo. “Quite a cowardly wolf, then, not willing to even try and give chase when you want something.” Sakumo stiffened. “Well if you’re so easily frightened that’s probably best; you wouldn’t stand up to a snake like Orochi.”

Then Jiraiya snorted and strode away, ignoring Sakumo. He watched his friend go, then let his gaze stray back to the pair of entwined figures not so far away.


Jiraiya watched Sakumo’s reaction after he left, gratified by the open longing and the thoughtful hope on his face. Maybe he’d do something; fuck knew Orochi wouldn’t.

Jiraiya strode up to his teammates, slinging an arm around each at the shoulders, dragging them in. He knew they loved him because he collected a couple of bruises but nothing was left broken or bleeding from the manoeuvre.

“Where have you been?” Tsunade demanded, her lips curved into a slight smile and her body resting comfortably just a little against him as they walked.

“Oh . . . teasing a wolf. Seeing if he’ll do more than chase his tail.” Jiraiya said with a grin, and Orochimaru stiffened, eyes widening. He glanced around under the cover of his long hair, and Jiraiya knew the moment he saw Sakumo from the soft warmth and then the quick little flinch and calm air that came over him. Jiraiya squeezed his friend closer. “He’s a brave wolf. He’ll give chase. He wants.” Jiraiya promised softly, rubbing his hand up and down Orochimaru’s arm.

“I hope so.” Orochimaru said quietly, barely audible, leaning into Jiraiya’s other side.

Chapter 132: Brave Wolf (Jiraiya taunts a wolf)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“O- Orochimaru-san?”

Orochimaru tensed, tilting his head and then turning on his stool to face Sakumo, putting his back to the bar. The other Sannin at either side of him did the same; Tsunade with a sharply-assessing look and Jiraiya with a smirk.

Orochimaru’s eyes swept down Sakumo’s body, then back up, and he hummed, arching a brow.

“May I speak with you?” Sakumo asked, shoulders back and jaw tilted high.

Orochimaru nodded, once.

Sakumo stepped closer, and breathed, drawing in the faint scent of snake and acid that clung to Orochimaru, filtering it from the astringent, nose-burning scent that Tsunade always carried, and the dull spice-sour Jiraiya did.

“Orochimaru-san, would you . . . consider sharing a meal with me?” Sakumo asked, taking half a step closer, but staying clear of Orochimaru’s space. “An evening? With only me?”

Orochimaru made a soft little sound, his expression shuttered and unreadable. Sakumo ruthlessly suppressed a rising tremor, determined not to react, not to-

“I would enjoy that.” Orochimaru said softly, tilting his head and looking at Sakumo sidelong. He was grinning, he was aware, and he couldn’t care even a little.

“Thank you!” Sakumo said before he could catch himself and debate if it was quite the right response. He reached for Orochimaru’s hand, and he tensed but didn’t resist.

Sakumo took gentle hold and bent, nuzzling Orochimaru’s hand lightly for a brief moment, then reluctantly releasing him. “I look forward to it.” he said, quiet. “Two nights from now?”

“As it suits.” Orochimaru agreed in what could have been a careless manner, fingers flicking across Sakumo’s palm as his hand slid away. Orochimaru looked up, eyes gleaming. “I shall see you then . . . wolf.”

Chapter 133: Ninja Wolf (Jiraiya taunts a wolf)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“You seem happy, Orochi.”

Sakumo pulled up short, fidgeting, then suppressed his chakra and inched closer, cocking his head and listening.

“As happy as snake bastards get, anyway. . .” Jiraiya let out a rough oof, then laughed breathlessly. “I told you he would.”

Sakumo frowned, puzzled.

“I am . . . glad to allow that you were right, this time.” Orochimaru said softly, his voice smooth and content.

Jiraiya made a delighted sound, then laughed again. “Having a wolf of your very own is putting you in a better mood!”

Sakumo startled, his heart leaping, then bit his lip as he suppressed a happy shiver.

“Hey, is he that good to you?” Jiraiya asked, making a faintly horrifying sound afterwards.

Another harsh, rough exhale, this time followed by a thump and coughing.

“I am quite content with Sakumo, yes.” Orochimaru said, sending a warm flush through Sakumo. “And I thank you for your . . . push, whatever it was.” he added. “But Jiraiya. . .”

“Control myself?” Jiraiya asked, sounding more amused than offended.

“I’m afraid that is but a lofty dream.” Orochimaru said dryly. “We’ve long given up on ever seeing it in the real world.”

Chapter 134: Lounge Wolf (Jiraiya taunts a wolf)

Chapter Text

“You’re late!”

Sakumo looked up at Jiraiya, who had stomped up to them in possibly the least stealthy approach Sakumo had ever seen. He scowled back.

Orochimaru shifted slightly, but didn’t remove himself from where he was lounging against Sakumo’s side, head on his shoulder, legs folded over Sakumo’s own. “I didn’t want to leave.” he said simply.

Sakumo whined happily and nuzzled his hair, and he hummed, a little contented sound, and nestled deeper into Sakumo’s arms.

“Hime blamed me!” Jiraiya protested, gesturing broadly. “Your fault.

“Be less blameable.” Orochimaru suggested dryly, tilting his head up a bit, his eyes glinting wickedly.

“You’re never late, she thinks I didn’t tell y- Oh you bastard!” Jiraiya shouted, pointing at Orochimaru.

Orochimaru laughed, his whole body thrumming with it. Sakumo curled his arms around Orochimaru appreciatively.

“You knew she’d be mad at me and not you!” Jiraiya accused.

“I’m never late,” Orochimaru drawled, “and you made the arrangements this week.”

Jiraiya made an inarticulate sound and Sakumo was torn between laughter and concern . . . though pleasure that Orochimaru had wished to stay with him enough to ignore his teammates also bloomed in his chest.

“Still, I’d best go.” Orochimaru sighed, twisting and leaning up to kiss Sakumo, startling him. “Will I see you later, wolf?” he asked.

“Always. Any time.” Sakumo said without thinking, which brought a smile to Orochimaru’s face. “Ah. . . Dinner?” he suggested more practically, clearing his throat.

Orochimaru laughed softly and kissed him again, then slipped gracefully out of his arms and rose. “I look forward to it then.” he said, and turned away with a flick of his hair over his shoulder. “Jiraiya, are you coming?”

Jiraiya grumbled and huffed, but trailed after him as Sakumo sat up, watching them go. “Make me regret pushing the wolf to chase you.” he said grouchily.

“No you don’t.” Orochimaru said peacefully.

Jiraiya was silent for a moment, then huffed, slinging an arm around Orochimaru’s shoulder. “No. I don’t.” he said, just as they were leaving earshot. “You wanted so long . . . I’m glad you-”

Sakumo cocked his head, grinning, even as he lost the rest of whatever Jiraiya was saying.

Chapter 135: Old Friends and New Priorities

Chapter Text

“Well, you seem fine. . .” Tsunade said slowly, dropping her hands. Orochimaru raised an eyebrow. “Just . . . I want you to be careful, Oro, please.”

Orochimaru’s mouth tightened. “I know how to take care of myself.” he said sharply, sliding a hand absently over his stomach, where his little one had yet to make any outwardly-visible changes . . . but he could feel the little spark of warm chakra there, the shift of his body to nurture it.

“I know you do,” Tsunade said peaceably, “it’s only that-”

“I managed the first one without your help.” Orochimaru snapped, drawing back, because that had stung, because he had been confident but his best friend - the best iryou nin in the world - would have been a welcome assurance through his pregnancy. Because he would have worried less for his little one if she had been here.

“I know.” Tsunade said quietly, head and shoulders bowing, and Orochimaru knew he should comfort her, should offer some manner of peaceful gesture.

“Thank you for your . . . help.” Orochimaru said, voice flat, and turned away.

He had tried, for Tsunade, for years. It had done him little good when she withdrew and ran away and forgot their friendship, and Orochimaru had other things to ground himself now. Other people more important in his life . . . who didn’t force him to forever chase them to keep them.

“Lovely!” Sakumo nuzzled his jaw and down to his throat, snuffling in greeting and making Orochimaru laugh at the tickle of his breath. Sakumo’s arm wound around his waist, pulling him in close. “All right?” he asked, raising his eyebrows in query, as he lifted his head again.

“Mama!” Kakashi piped up from his place in the sling on Sakumo’s back.

Orochimaru smiled, reaching out to caress Sakumo’s jaw, then past to offer his hand to his son. “I’m quite all right, yes, wolf-heart.” he promised as Kakashi snuffled and nuzzled at his fingers with a happy whine. “Let’s go home.”

“Sure.” Sakumo agreed, lifting his free hand, in which he held a satchel with oddly-shaped bulges in it. “I thought we might have nabe tonight. I picked up more eggs along with the vegetables.”

Orochimaru rested his brow against Sakumo’s temple. “Sounds wonderful.” he said fondly.

Chapter 136: Tired Mama (restless cub)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“You look tired.” Sakumo said softly, and from someone else it might have made Orochimaru snap, but his mate was all gentle concern and he hadn’t slept either, though nothing kept him awake. “Is there anything I can do to help?” he asked, approaching and offering his open hands.

Orochimaru sighed and stepped into the touch, head dipping. “Can you get our cubling to settle down?” he asked wryly, lips quirking at one corner. “They will not be still.”

Sakumo huffed a laugh, nosing his cheek and then kissing it. “I can try.” he said simply, and nudged Orochimaru to take a step backwards. “Here, sit on the couch.”

Orochimaru snorted, but let himself be nudged down to curl at one end of the couch, room for his mate to press up close by his legs, one hand splayed over his hip. Sakumo nuzzled his stomach and rumbled softly, building into a far louder sound than his friendly rumbles usually were.

The vibrations tickled as he pressed his cheek to Orochimaru’s stomach, and he laughed quietly, shivering.

Sakumo glanced up at him with a smile, then nuzzled and kissed Orochimaru’s stomach, right over one of their little one’s flailing limbs. “Ne, cub, you need to let your Mama rest, you know.” he said, lips brushing Orochimaru’s skin as he spoke. “I know you have so much energy, but Mama needs to sleep, and so should you. Mama cannot always be rocking you when it is time to rest.” he crooned, stroking Orochimaru’s stomach as their cubling stirred and kicked beneath his palm.

Orochimaru closed his eyes, resting a hand on Sakumo’s arm and listening to his mate speaking to their cubling, feeling the little one stir restlessly, though a little less fiercely than before.

Chapter 137: Tucking In (restless cub)

Chapter Text

Sakumo kissed his mate’s stomach, smoothing his hand over the gentle curve that protected their little one, his heart aching with affection.

Orochimaru was asleep, his head tipped against the back of the couch. Their cub had stopped kicking against Sakumo’s hands some time before, but he had kept up his low assurances they should be quiet and still for their Mama.

He hoped they would rest and allow Orochimaru to sleep for at least a while longer. He nuzzled and kissed his mate’s stomach once more, then shifted carefully away, catching Orochimaru’s hand from his bicep and lowering it himself as he rose.

Orochimaru sighed in his sleep but didn’t stir, and Sakumo appreciated the depth of his mate’s trust for what it was. He worked his arms around Orochimaru and lifted him from the couch, leaning back a little to encourage his mate’s head to tilt down and rest against his shoulder rather than falling back uncomfortably.

Sakumo yawned as he carried Orochimaru back to their bed. No doubt he - they - could have remained on the couch to sleep, but their bed would be more comfortable, particularly for his mate who so hated to be chilled. It had grown more difficult for him to keep warm as his pregnancy progressed, as well, and he tended to shelter protectively around their little one more than the rest of himself.

Sakumo carefully settled to the futon, tugging the kakebuton layers up over them before wrapping himself around his mate, sliding one hand down to cover Orochimaru’s stomach. “Rest, cub.” he murmured again, though he knew they would not hear his voice from where he lay with his mouth nearly pressed to Orochimaru’s shoulder.

Chapter 138: Rough (First) Day

Notes:

The literal day of his birth counts as focusing on Kakashi's birthday, right?

I have a oneshot for Kakashi's birthday as well, featuring this little family, but I need to wrap up the end of it before I post it, probably this afternoon. >.>

Chapter Text

“There, there, cub.” Sakumo said softly, rocking his new cub in his arms, heart full to bursting. “I know. You’ve had a very rough day. We’re so glad to have you, though. It isn’t so bad, mm. . .”

Him you comfort?”

Sakumo raised his head and tilted it towards the bed, finding his mate looking at him with a soft, fond expression. “You may have done a considerable lot of work,” Sakumo pointed out, moving towards the bed, “but he has had rather a rough day.”

Orochimaru laughed softly, lying back a little more. “I imagine he has, at that.” he said wryly. He extended a hand as Sakumo continued towards him, and he lowered their cub in his arms until Orochimaru could brush a hand over his fluffy hair, fingertip tracing his cheek.

“He’s . . . wonderful.” Sakumo said softly.

Orochimaru laughed softly, holding out his arms. “He’s new and almost helpless and fussy.” he pointed out, taking Kakashi in close to his chest and rocking him, crooning. “Shush now, my precious little one.” he soothed, and Kakashi settled a little more in his arms. Sakumo wondered if he recognised the feeling of being held by his mother, even so different as it was now.

Orochimaru looked up, golden eyes warm and soft with love, and Sakumo swallowed, throat tight. Orochimaru tilted his head, gesturing Sakumo closer, and he squeezed himself onto the bed beside his mate - carefully, trying not to jar Orochimaru or push too firmly even as he settled close enough to be leant against - and curled an arm around Orochimaru’s own supporting their cub as he propped himself on his other elbow.

Orochimaru sighed, stroking Kakashi’s face lightly as he went quiet, yawning and blinking sleepily, grey-blue eyes bright in his round little face.

Chapter 139: Feel

Chapter Text

“Are- Are you sure you don’t mind supervising us today, Orochimaru-sensei?”

Orochimaru sighed, sharp mouth quirking up at one corner. “You may not have known your sensei for very long yet,” he said, voice painfully dry, “but I have. It doesn’t particularly matter whether I mind anything.”

“. . .sorry, Orochimaru-sensei.” Minato said quietly, biting his lip. He had . . . noticed that about his sensei already, and it twisted at him and the manners he had learned at both the orphanage and the Academy.

“It’s not your fault.” Orochimaru said, resting a hand on Minato’s head. Minato blinked, surprised at the gentle touch. “I don’t mind particularly, no. It’s not the most comfortable at the moment, but,” he let out a little breath it took Minato a moment to recognise as a laugh, “nothing in particular is, currently.” He shifted his weight and settled on the fence at the edge of the training field, running a hand over his swollen stomach.

Orochimaru called out a correction to Minato’s teammates, currently sparring, then directed Minato himself back to his stretches. He complied hurriedly, listening attentively when Orochimaru offered advice.

All three of them did, and he worked them hard but . . . Minato understood the advice he had given, the lesson Orochimaru had given expanding his grasp and making him curious about more. He was a little sorry when the day ended, though he was exhausted. Orochimaru looked worn as well, Minato thought, remembering his words that morning.

“Why isn’t it comfortable?” Minato asked, a little breathlessly, still going through his cooling stretches. “Watching over us, I mean. Or, erm, anything.”

Orochimaru laughed again, quiet and wry, his eyes gleaming. “Pregnancy becomes rather uncomfortable, as time goes on.” he informed Minato, and he blinked, then nodded understanding, looking curiously at Orochimaru’s stomach. “Even without factoring in the little one doing their own stretches inside.”

“Oh?” Minato said before he could stop himself. “Sorry.” he apologised, ducking his head.

“It’s quite all right.” Orochimaru said, then tilted his head, meeting Minato’s eyes. “Would you like to feel?”

Minato blinked, then bounded up and inched closer, nodding.

Orochimaru smiled slightly and beckoned. Minato hurried to his side and let Orochimaru take his hand, eyes wide at the taut, warm feel of Orochimaru’s stomach under his hand. And then there was a firm pressure against his fingers, sliding along to his palm before it disappeared again. “Oh! That’s- They’re pushing a lot!”

Orochimaru laughed, releasing Minato’s hand, and he lingered for a moment, feeling a bit of another stretch from the baby inside before he realised he was touching Orochimaru and he’d probably been supposed to stop, and yanked his hand away with an apologetic mumble.

“The little one is quite strong, yes. He’s nearly ready to be born.” Orochimaru said, a warm light in his eyes and a soft smile curling his lips.

Chapter 140: Thoughtful

Chapter Text

Returning from clearing away the dinner dishes, Sakumo paused to eye his preoccupied mate. Orochimaru didn’t seem distressed, but he was curious, nevertheless. He ran a hand down Orochimaru’s arm. “What is it, lovely?”

“Mm? Ah.” Orochimaru sighed, lips curving slightly as he leaned into Sakumo. “I’ve been . . . thinking about something. And then when I was visiting Tsunade at the hospital today. . .”

“What happened at the hospital?” Sakumo prompted curiously.

“She was seeing two pregnant kunoichi, before lunch.” Orochimaru said, and Sakumo nodded absently. “And a third went into labour early, though Tsunade didn’t see her. We passed by as she was brought in unexpectedly.”

Sakumo wondered what was on his mate’s mind that. . . “Something about them?”

“I . . . begin to wonder if most women in our village want to be pregnant in the first place.” Orochimaru said, frowning.

Sakumo heard himself make a confused sound, and Orochimaru snorted, nodding. “Exactly. Tsunade assured me they were . . . average reactions. The one in labour was alone - her partner brought her and then left.” he said, and Sakumo blinked, stunned at the idea. “One of the two there for an exam was cursing her husband and swearing she would kill him if he did this to her again.”

“. . .she sounds distressed.” Sakumo said, frowning. “It made you think?”

“No. Well, yes, but of something else.” Orochimaru said, waving it off. “I wonder about the general sensibility of people often.” he added wryly. “It has no bearing on the thought I have been entertaining, nor did anything I saw today.”

“What thought is that?” Sakumo asked, toying with a lock of Orochimaru’s hair.

Orochimaru looked up at him, catching his gaze. “Would you,” he paused, tongue sliding over his lips, “would you want another child, wolf-heart?”

Sakumo’s breath caught and his fingers twitched. He sank down into the chair beside his mate. “Another- Another cub?” he asked faintly, and Orochimaru simply nodded. Sakumo distractedly noticed his mate taking a shallow breath and- “Yes.” he said. Orochimaru startled. “Sorry. I mean- If you. . . Yes, I would love to have another cub with you. If you wish to have one.”

Orochimaru smiled, twining their fingers. “I . . . do believe I want another. And yes, I would willingly carry another little one.” he added, with an amused hum. “I have been . . . thinking on it.” he admitted quietly.

Sakumo whined happily and kissed him, and Orochimaru laughed against his mouth, warm and happy, even as he returned the kiss. Sakumo dropped his free hand almost thoughtlessly to Orochimaru’s lean stomach, stroking the flat plane and making him laugh again, leaning towards Sakumo, warm and pliant.

Chapter 141: Eyes

Chapter Text

“What are you thinking of?” Orochimaru asked, searching his mate’s face, stroking his side. Sakumo had been cuddled close to him, eyes fixed on his face but expression faraway, for some time.

Sakumo hummed, bringing one hand up and stroking Orochimaru’s cheek, brushing his hair back as it fell across his face. “Our cub.” he said, voice low, and Orochimaru smiled slightly, fond and amused.

“Ah, I should have known.” he said, shifting to get more comfortable and closing his eyes. “You have thought of little else in months.”

Sakumo laughed, not denying it, and kissed Orochimaru sweetly. He melted into it, pressing himself against his mate’s body and soaking in his warmth.

“What,” Orochimaru asked, some time later, relaxed under Sakumo’s hand roaming up and down his side, “is it about the little one that has kept you so deep in thought?”

Sakumo’s hand slipped up to his face again. “Your eyes. . .” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru opened them as his mate’s thumb brushed just by the corner of one. “I was thinking . . . I would love to see our cub with your eyes.”

Orochimaru’s lashes fluttered as he startled, then smiled. “Would you?” he asked, pleased and surprised. He knew Sakumo adored him, but his eyes had . . . unnerved people since he was a small child. It was not something he had expected to hear.

“Our cub will be perfect,” Sakumo said in a soft tone, “no matter what, but . . . yes, I would love to see eyes like yours in their face. You have such beautiful eyes, lovely, and no one else has their like.”

Orochimaru smiled faintly, thinking of his mother’s eyes - his eyes - and curled into his mate a little more. “Perhaps. . . Perhaps they will. I,” he paused, “I would like that. We will see soon, I suppose.”

Sakumo kissed him again, soft and lingering. “Perfect.” he said again as Orochimaru smiled. “Our cub will be perfect, lovely.”

Chapter 142: Soon

Chapter Text

A gentle pressure along his middle woke Orochimaru, and he was still for only a moment as he identified and settled where he was - his own nest, deep in his home - before he bent one knee, nudging his thigh up against his mate’s side. Sakumo rumbled softly and smoothed a hand over Orochimaru’s hip and thigh, resting against his belly.

“What did you say?” Orochimaru asked sleepily, reaching down to brush his fingers through Sakumo’s hair.

Sakumo stilled, then wriggled a little, nestling even closer against Orochimaru.

“Wolf-heart?” Orochimaru questioned, thumb brushing Sakumo’s temple.

“I said . . . ‘are you in there, little one’,” Sakumo said, rubbing his nose against Orochimaru’s stomach, “do you think. . .” he trailed off.

Orochimaru’s heart warmed. He tugged at his mate, and Sakumo rose and crawled up over him, cuddling firmly enough to press him into the bed under his mate’s weight. He nuzzled Orochimaru’s jaw and nipped his ear affectionately. They had not been trying for very long yet, and there was not yet any way to tell, but. . .

“I don’t know.” Orochimaru said honestly, shifting beneath Sakumo and kissing his jaw. “But. . . I think so.” he admitted, unable to put a reason to it. “I think I will be able to tell, to feel,” his body and his chakra would change, and he knew them both well, “not yet, but . . . early. I just. . .”

“A feeling?” Sakumo finished. Orochimaru nodded, rubbing their cheeks together.

“Perhaps it is only hoping.” Orochimaru admitted, because they had taken some time to discuss and decide, and it had been such a strange thought for so long, but now . . . he so very much wanted their child.

“I trust your feelings.” Sakumo said, crooning against his cheek. “If you think you are. . .”

“It’s too early to be. . .” Orochimaru trailed off. It was too early to know, much less to be sure.

Sakumo kissed him. “Soon. I’m sure it will be soon. That we will know soon.”

Orochimaru smiled against Sakumo’s mouth as he spoke. “Soon.” he agreed, heart light.

Chapter 143: Himokushin

Chapter Text

Yamato took a breath, studied the slightly faded - and water-damaged - page from the Shodaime’s private library one more time, then finally moved to shape the seals, concentrating. The world dissolved in screaming colour and Yamato was hard-pressed not to scream as well before it settled again just as quickly. He-

He was not in his apartment. He was . . . in Konoha at least, though; nowhere had trees like Hi no Kuni, and there was a half-familiar road nearby, and-

There. . . There was no Godaime on Hokage Rock. There was no Yondaime on Hokage Rock. Yamato stared.

“Tenzou! Tenzou!”

Yamato tensed, eyes widening, and looked around for the source of the voice even as he pressed himself into one of the nearby trees, scaling it and hiding away partially within its trunk.

His breath caught.

A toddler with fluffy brown hair ran across the path not far away. Laughing. Smiling brightly. He wore green pants and a deep blue shirt with a square white grid on the back.

Anikiii!” the child cried, laughing, and stumbled only to be caught against the side of a suddenly appearing taller child with spiky silver hair and a mask covering half his face.

Yamato bit his lip, pressing back against the trunk of the tree. He recognised the symbol in white on the back of the- of small Tenzou’s shirt, now. The Hatake Clan symbol.

“Kakashi! Tenzou!”

“Coming, Dad!” Kakashi called back, steadying Tenzou and tugging him along.

They got perhaps two steps before a figure stepped out in front of them. It was not Kakashi’s father. Yamato’s blood ran cold.

“Are you really?” Orochimaru asked, arms crossed, eyebrow raised, barring their way.

Mama. . .”

Orochimaru laughed, expression softening, and bent, scooping Tenzou up with one arm and winding the other around Kakashi, squeezing him close. Tenzou clung to him, fingers tangling in his hair, and Kakashi giggled and snuggled into the embrace.

“Cubs, where are- Ah, Lovely!” Sakumo - Yamato had never seen Kakashi’s father, but this must be him, could be no one else - stepped out around a low barrier of brush on the far side of the path. Kakashi squirmed free of Orochimaru’s hold to trot to him, but Tenzou only leaned his head down against Orochimaru’s shoulder as he rose.

“We finished up earlier than anticipated,” Orochimaru supplied, bouncing Tenzou lightly as he moved towards Sakumo, “so I thought I would join you after all.”

Sakumo only grinned, leaning in to kiss Orochimaru lightly. He nuzzled into it.

“Mama play?” Tenzou asked, pulling at Orochimaru’s hair.

“Yes, my little darling.” Orochimaru said lightly, scrunching his nose as he looked down at Tenzou.

Yamato nearly screamed again, fingers digging into the trunk of the tree as he stared.

The little- little family walked on together, leaving Yamato hidden up the tree and reeling, stomach in knots. Yamato had never- Never been- Not like this. And Orochimaru- The very-

Mama?

Yamato whimpered softly.

Chapter 144: Lightning Legends

Notes:

Wrote this one morning during a storm that was rattling my house with the power of the thunder.

Chapter Text

Sakumo tensed as a tiny frightened cry reached his ears in the wake of a loud crack of thunder. He rose hurriedly, going in search of his cubs.

He found them by the wide window to the front garden, Kakashi cuddling against Tenzou’s back. “It’s okay, otouto. . .” Kakashi soothed, snuffling against his shoulder. Another powerful rumble of thunder rattled through the house. “It’s only the lightning wolves playing in the sky.”

“Really?” Tenzou asked uncertainly, peeking around Kakashi at the window.

Sakumo stayed in the doorway, biting his lip and watching them.

Kakashi nodded and hugged his brother close, telling a story about the lightning wolves. It was a little sloppy in spots where he didn’t quite remember it, but Tenzou brightened, fascinated, and Kakashi smiled and cuddled Tenzou as he told the story. They were both calm and happy, even as the storm rolled on overhead.

A warmth at Sakumo’s back made him shift, tilting his head to look at his mate. Orochimaru smiled, hand sliding up his back.

“Lightning wolves?” Sakumo said softly, and Orochimaru hummed, kissing his cheek.

“Legends have their place, too.” he said simply, and Sakumo closed his eyes, nuzzling into his mate contentedly.

Chapter 145: Home

Chapter Text

Orochimaru ran his fingers over a table, mind far away.

He only vaguely marked Sakumo stepping into the room, putting down the tansu he was carrying, and coming closer. He tilted his head as Sakumo leaned in, nuzzling his cheek.

“You’re sure you’re all right with this, lovely?” Sakumo asked, his voice soft.

Orochimaru smiled, shaking off old memories and new thoughts, and looked his mate in the face. “I’m quite all right.” he promised, kissing Sakumo at one corner of his mouth. “I have many old memories here but . . . little else.”

“Memories are important.” Sakumo said quietly.

Orochimaru hummed, inclining his head. “I am not losing them.” he murmured, confident. “Nor am I losing my clan’s home.” he added, turning to face Sakumo completely. “It has been shut up before. It will yet be here for me . . . or for our children.”

Sakumo made a low rumbling sound, eyes lit with pleasure. Orochimaru’s smile widened, and he rested his brow against his mate’s. “No, I’m sure, my heart.”

Sakumo wrapped an arm around him and pulled him in snugly, and Orochimaru laughed softly as he was slightly squashed against his mate’s broader body. He cupped Sakumo’s jaw and kissed him softly.

“I’m pleased that my den can be yours as well, lovely.” Sakumo said, rubbing their noses together, and Orochimaru hummed, lips curving.

He glanced at the empty main room of the Yashagoro house - a small clan, there had ever only been the one within their compound in Konoha, though there was plenty of room inside - then sighed.

“Let’s go home, my heart.”

Chapter 146: Monsters (scariest scary)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Kakashi looked up, cocking his head. “Mama said bedtime. . .” he said cautiously, putting away his book and rolling forwards onto his knees as his otouto toddled closer.

“I can’t sleep!” Tenzou said, eyes big and wet. Kakashi crooned soothingly and nuzzled against his shoulder, hugging him tight. “The- The others said there were monsters and they like to eat baby ninja!”

Kakashi growled, nuzzling Tenzou. He’d wondered what had Tenzou so upset at the park today but he’d been distracted rescuing Sumi from a shrieking mama watching over one of the other kids.

“It’s- It’s scary.” Tenzou sniffled, and Kakashi hugged him tighter.

“Want to stay with me?” he asked, nosing Tenzou’s cheek. It was only in the past few weeks Tenzou had been staying even some of the time in his own room, instead of with Kakashi or with Mama and Dad. Even Kakashi slept with Mama and Dad still sometimes.

Tenzou sniffed and looked at him. “But- But you’re a baby ninja too. . . What if the scary gets you?” He nearly wailed, big tears rolling down his cheeks.

“Is the scary scarier than Mama?” Kakashi asked reasonably, nosing his otouto’s jaw.

Tenzou blinked and sniffed again, his flushed face calming. “No. . .”

“Mama would scare away all the monsters.” Kakashi pointed out. “I don’t think they’d even dare come inside.”

Tenzou sniffed, nodding.

“Want to stay with me?” Kakashi asked, kissing Tenzou’s cheek and crooning again. “Or we can go to Dad and Mama.”

Tenzou shook his head, clambering over Kakashi’s lap to slide down beside him. Kakashi tucked him in and put out the lamp before snuggling down beside him. Kakashi hummed and nuzzled Tenzou’s fluffy hair and he wriggled, sighing happily.

Chapter 147: Scary Soothed (scariest scary)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo cocked his head and slipped around the corner, tracking the sound of tiny cub feet. He approached Kakashi’s room - the nearer of the two - just in time to hear Tenzou declare wetly that he couldn’t sleep, talking about monsters eating baby ninja.

Sakumo frowned, reaching for the door, then paused, listening. Tenzou was frightened, but Kakashi was comforting him and he did sound calmer already. Sakumo’s frown eased, heart warming, when he heard Kakashi offer to share his space with Tenzou.

“Is the scary scarier than Mama?” Kakashi asked in a tone that made it clear this was a very dubious concept, and Sakumo covered his mouth with one hand, putting his back against the wall beside the mostly-closed door.

Tenzou slowly agreed that it was not, as Sakumo tried to laugh silently.

“Mama would scare away all the monsters.” Kakashi said knowledgably. “I don’t think they’d even dare come inside. Do you want to stay with me, or we can go to Dad and Mama?”

Tenzou didn’t answer, though there were no sounds of cub feet approaching the door again either, and Sakumo took a few more moments to control himself, then peeked through the door just as the light went out. Kakashi was snuggling down against his brother in his bed, and Sakumo smiled, watching them for a few breaths before he carefully closed the door fully.

“Is something wrong?”

Sakumo turned to his mate, grinning. “No, they’re fine. Tenzou was upset - something he heard at the park? - but he’s with Kakashi and I think he’s already forgotten it.”

Orochimaru smiled slightly and nodded, raising his eyebrows as Sakumo looped an arm around his waist to pull him in close. Sakumo shook his head and kissed his mate’s cheek, eliciting a soft hum as Orochimaru softened, leaning into him.

Scarier than all the monsters ever? Probably, particularly to defend their cubs. Sakumo smothered a laugh against Orochimaru’s cheek, nuzzling him affectionately.

Notes:

The cubs obviously know that Dad would scare away (or chomp) any monsters too, but Mama is the one who makes grown shinobi faint with sheer terror with nothing more than chakra spikes. This confuses the little ones to whom Mama's chakra is familiar and comforting, but it does seem to be true that Mama is scary. ;)

Chapter 148: Morning Playdate

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Kyaa!

Orochimaru rubbed his face and rolled over just as Sakumo opened the bedroom door, balancing a tea tray in one hand. “What is that?” he asked thickly.

“Dai brought his son over to play.” Sakumo said with a grin, kneeling and running his knuckles over Orochimaru’s shoulder and collarbone before offering a cup of tea.

Orochimaru’s brows rose. “With Kakashi?” he clarified, sitting up and accepting the cup.

There was a muted howl from the back garden, and then a loud, deep voice shouting praise.

“I did warn him.” Sakumo said, shrugging one shoulder. “Dai is a good man. And his son is very . . . determined.”

Orochimaru passed the tea back to his mate and rose, moving to search for a heavier yukata and then pausing, debating the wisdom of wearing one rather than. . . He moved to the chest holding his usual training and mission gear instead, dressing in loose pants and a short yukata.

Sakumo offered the tea again and brought the tray along himself as Orochimaru turned curiously for the back garden. He stepped outside just in time to see Kakashi pounce on a small green blur from the top of the large rock near the pond, tumbling them both across the wet ground below.

Kakashi snarled, but neither the other boy nor his father seemed concerned. Orochimaru curled up at the edge of the engawa with his tea, back against one of the roof supports.

“Ah, greetings, Orochimaru-sama!” Maito Dai declared, sending a blinding grin at Orochimaru.

He lifted his tea. “Good morning, Maito-san.” He returned politely, and hummed as Sakumo’s fingers ran through his hair. He returned to watching the children rather than continue the polite nonsense, and smiled as Kakashi noticed him a few minutes later and rapidly changed tacks, the other child on his heels.

Orochimaru put his tea cup aside and laughed as Kakashi ran straight into his lap, giggling and warm and happy. “Good morning, my darling.” he murmured, smoothing Kakashi’s fluffy hair absently.

“Morning Mama!” Kakashi said with a grin that showed his fangs, butting his head against Orochimaru’s jaw as he hugged himself close.

The other little boy, who had been chasing him right up until identifying his goal, fidgeted and bowed to Orochimaru, then retreated to his father’s side.

Sakumo handed Kakashi a glass of water, which he downed in several long swallows, then slouched against Orochimaru, panting.

“Having fun?” Orochimaru asked, lightly petting his back.

Kakashi glanced at their guests, then up at Orochimaru, grinning again. “Yes!”

“Ready to go back to play?” Orochimaru asked as his breathing steadied, and Kakashi laughed and bounded out of his lap, taking the other boy by surprise when he was tackled into the grass directly from his place at his father’s side.

Orochimaru laughed as Kakashi quickly extricated himself and dodged, running away from the other boy’s shouting, flailing response, his father laughing and gesturing encouragingly.

Notes:

I didn't even get his name in, but I finally show a small leaf sprout along with the small vipercub! Gai shall return, no doubt. It is rather difficult to keep him away when Kakashi's about, after all. ;)

Chapter 149: Nightmare Clouds

Notes:

Not directly intended to fit in the same continuity, but this is in a similar world to the Sunshine Genin arc, rather later.

Chapter Text

“Minato-nii! Minato-nii!”

Minato jolted awake, thrashing, and struggled out of his futon in a confused muddle. “Kashi-kun?” he tried to call, but it came out in a mumble, just as Kakashi wailed his name once more.

A light tap preceded the door to his bedroom opening, and Orochimaru leaned inside. “Minato, I’m sorry. Would you come here?”

“Of course.” Minato said, scrambling to his feet and towards Orochimaru. “What is it?”

Kakashi howled, thin and wavering with distress, and Minato finally saw him, held in his father’s arms beyond Orochimaru.

“He had a nightmare.” Orochimaru said flatly, mouth twisted. “Something from his lessons at the Academy,” his voice was low, “and he dreamed you were. . .” He shook his head. “He refused to be settled without you.”

Heart twinging, Minato slipped past Orochimaru. “Hey, Kashi.” he said softly, resting a hand on Kakashi’s back. “I’m okay. I was scared for you when I heard you call me.” he said gently, stroking Kakashi’s back. “Are you all right?”

Kakashi sniffled, turning his wet face towards Minato, and then Minato had to steady himself rapidly as the five year old threw himself from Sakumo’s arms straight at Minato.

“Minato-nii was dead!” Kakashi howled, and Minato’s eyes widened.

He tightened his hold on Kakashi. “Hey, hey,” he soothed, rocking Kakashi and pressing his cheek to Kakashi’s temple, “I’m here and I’m totally fine, little one. Promise.”

Kakashi whimpered and clung, but his howls had quieted. Minato wondered what the hell the lesson had included, cuddling Kakashi close.

Sakumo rubbed his back, moving closer. “Sorry to wake you.” he said, voice rough.

Minato shook his head. “No. I’m glad you did.” he said honestly, letting Sakumo and Orochimaru tug him along, away from his bedroom, without looking up from Kakashi in his arms.

Chapter 150: Nice Wolf (day at the park)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Lovely?” Sakumo began, and Orochimaru hummed, deftly underlining a phrase he thought outlined a flawed premise. “Why. . . Why does everyone seem to assume I’m,” he paused, “nice? Harmless?”

Orochimaru snorted silently, lips quirking. “You smile frequently.” he said idly. “Also you stand next to me.” He paused. “. . .and you tend not to leave survivors to spread word otherwise.”

Sakumo huffed.

“Also half the village has seen you with our son, and I believe they gather from observation that you are clearly a soft touch.” Orochimaru added, slanting a look at his mate as he closed his book and put it down, turning away.

Sakumo huffed again, nuzzling Kakashi’s hair as he wriggled where he lay on his father’s belly and chest, then lifting him into the air and making him giggle. Sakumo crooned to him, bringing him back down and nuzzling his face as he grabbed at Sakumo’s hair where it splayed across the grass.

“Watch those tiny cub paws!” Sakumo said cheerfully, catching Kakashi’s hands in his own and growling softly as he played like he would bite, making Kakashi shriek with laughter. Sakumo showed his impressive fangs in a silent snarl, nipping Kakashi’s wrist so gently it couldn’t have been more than a brush of contact as he kicked and squirmed.

“You look terrifying.” Orochimaru told him dryly, smiling.

Sakumo grinned up at him around their still giggling son.

Chapter 151: Confusion and Regrets (day at the park)

Chapter Text

“Watch those tiny cub paws!”

Arata blinked, looking over at the man who had spoken and finding it had been Hatake Sakumo. Who was lying on his back on the grass, his son lying on his chest, holding the boy’s hands and . . . kissing them?

No, his teeth were showing. What the hell.

The boy giggled and squirmed, and Sakumo let him crawl practically over his face, laughing. His wife- Or, whatever the hell, was sitting a little ways away, doing nothing to watch the baby.

Sakumo lifted the boy in his hands, making him shriek with what was apparently a happy sound, as Sakumo laughed and- Aya sighed beside him, and Arata looked at her, distracted. He found her cradling their daughter higher, and looking the same direction he had been, frowning slightly.

Whatever, Arata thought, yawning and wondering how long they were expected to sit here in the park. It wasn’t even like the baby was old enough to need to go to the park, right? She couldn’t run and play, what was the point? And why did he need to be here?


Kiara sighed, looking at Sakumo playing with his son from beneath her lashes as she shifted her own, a little younger, in her arms. Why, she thought with a sigh, rocking her baby as he fussed, did I never flirt with that man when I was tempted to?

She’d been quite taken with Hatake Sakumo for a time in her late teens, but she’d never quite tried to act on it. She shook her head, glancing at her husband, who looked rather affronted even to be in the park, and sighed again. He was also staring at Sakumo and his child, a puzzled expression on his face. Not like he ever played with either of their children. . .

Not like Sakumo, evidently, who had been happily coddling and playing with his son since the small family arrived at the park, leaving his spouse to read nearby, occasionally glancing over at them with the faintest of fond looks on his face.

A corner of Kiara’s mind worried at the thought, unable to, quite, let it go; if she had, once upon a time, approached Sakumo, shown her interest, made an effort. . . She shook her head again to dismiss it and smiled faintly at her husband.

And at least, she thought, she was doing better than Mariko, who was almost glaring, fingers curled and nails digging into the fabric of her daughter’s carrier, and looked a little like she wished she could challenge Orochimaru. As though that would win her a better husband than the one she’d chosen - or settled for - Kiara thought with a snort.

Orochimaru smiled slightly, warm even if it was small, and reached out to Sakumo, who nuzzled into his touch with a delighted expression, spreading a hand over their son’s back.

Nothing, Kiara thought, was ever coming between those two.

Chapter 152: Fear in the Dark

Chapter Text

“What is it, my little darling?”

Sakumo put down the tray he held and moved over to the window as his mate’s voice floated back through it, curious.

“The- the dark is . . . sometimes it’s a little scary.” Kakashi said in a small voice, and when Sakumo looked outside he was nudging closer against Orochimaru’s side.

“Is it?” Orochimaru asked gently, and ran a hand over Kakashi’s head and down his back. “Oh, don’t be afraid of the dark, little wolf.”

Kakashi whined, more curious than distressed, snug against his mother’s side.

“Do not be afraid in the dark, my little wolf,” Orochimaru said, voice soft and fine as velvet, “for when the light hides from the world, the world will fear your prowl.”

Kakashi sat a little taller even as Orochimaru cuddled him closer, looking out into the night with a curious tilt to his head.

Sakumo smiled, leaning there and watching for a little longer as his mate petted their curious cub, then moving out to rejoin them.

Orochimaru looked up with a smile and Sakumo kissed him before looking at Kakashi, who had a bold, curious look in his bright eyes as he stared out towards the forest.

Chapter 153: Burst

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“All right, what the hell brings you to actually need my help? Inside the village?”

Orochimaru narrowed his eyes at her, and Tsunade tilted her head and raised an eyebrow, waiting. “Ah. . .” He shifted a bit on the exam table. “I didn’t realise,” he said, his voice . . . not quite wavering but slightly odd, “that Sakumo could howl,” he paused, “quite so loudly. I can’t hear you very well, my apologies.”

Tsunade frowned. Orochimaru tilted his head and reached up, touching his fingertips to his ear. “Small, enclosed room. . .”

His volume was not quite regulating evenly, that was the strangeness about his speech, and-

“You eardrums are busted?” Tsunade realised, startled. She approached quickly, hand already glowing as she reached out to her friend. The light scan confirmed that his eardrums were indeed damaged, and she shook her head incredulously. She quickly set about repairing the damage; his body, as always, didn’t take too much of her energy to nudge along towards healing, his own strength and resilience kicking in quickly with a little help. “Your boyfriend accidentally burst your eardrums? What happened?” she demanded, though she kept her voice down.

Healed or not, Orochimaru’s ears were going to be tender for a while.

“I wasn’t expecting that he could get quite so loud.” Orochimaru said again, and Tsunade raised her eyebrows. “I gather . . . he was not expecting me to . . . do that. With my tongue.”

“. . .ah. Ah.” Tsunade eyed him. “Really?

Orochimaru smirked, and Tsunade rolled her eyes and punched his shoulder. Gently.

Notes:

. . .Sakumo is Loud. *ahem*

Chapter 154: Winter Care

Chapter Text

Sakumo pulled Orochimaru to a stop a few paces from the door, nuzzling a kiss to his cheek, and he leaned into his mate’s body with a contented sigh.

“Stay warm today, lovely?” Sakumo asked, breath warm and ticklish along Orochimaru’s jaw and neck.

He laughed softly, turning his face towards Sakumo’s and nuzzling him lightly. “I’m not so delicate as all that, even if I dislike the cold.” he reminded, opening his eyes to meet his mate’s.

Sakumo hummed, smiling, and kissed him. “I know.” he agreed easily, then slipped a fur-lined cloak around Orochimaru’s shoulders. “Please?” he asked, tugging at it gently.

Orochimaru shivered, nestling into the thick, plush fur. “With pleasure.” he agreed, reaching up and stroking Sakumo’s cheek. “Be safe today, wolf-heart.” he asked, drawing Sakumo into another kiss. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“I will.” Sakumo promised. He was already geared up for his patrol. “See you tomorrow.”

Orochimaru tugged gently at one of the locks of hair falling over Sakumo’s hitai-ate to rest against his cheek, then they parted ways at the door - Orochimaru off to meet his team as his mate headed out of the village.

Chapter 155: Not Oversharing

Chapter Text

“All right,” Dan signalled a pause, “what was that?” he asked.

Sakumo stilled, frowning. “What?” he asked, glancing around only to find the training ground was as it had been - empty save for them, no disturbances.

“You cringed.” Dan said dryly. “You never flinch. Not like that, anyway.” He punched Sakumo’s shoulder lightly as he came near enough. “What’s wrong?”

Sakumo blinked, then ducked his head. “Nothing.” he said happily, shifting his stance and stretching lazily, enjoying the faint sting of his pants moving over raw skin.

“So,” Dan said, with exaggerated patience, “what’s up with you?”

Sakumo grinned. “Do you enjoy talking about your,” he paused, “unusual scratches and awkward bruises?”

Dan’s brows rose, then he laughed. “Point taken. Good time?” he asked lightly.

Sakumo laughed as well, bumping companionably into Dan’s shoulder. “The best. He’s . . . more than I would have dreamed of, in that.”

Dan gave him a wide-eyed look and Sakumo shrugged, still grinning. He wasn’t going to give details, and he doubted Dan wanted them anyway, but it was the truth.

They squared off to return to their spar, and Sakumo tried to shake the image of his mate between his thighs - flash of fangs as he bit up Sakumo’s thigh, thin mouth sliding easily over Sakumo’s cock . . . all of it, down to the swelling knot at the base - out of his head so he could focus.

Chapter 156: Domesticity

Chapter Text

“Just- Orochi bastard. Being domestic.” Jiraiya shook his head. “I can’t. . .” He looked at Tsunade, then huffed. “We’re the Densetsu no Sannin.” he pointed out slowly and clearly. “None of us are suited to- to that.”

“Oro seems to be happy, whatever he’s been doing.” Tsunade said, rolling her shoulders a little stiffly. Jiraiya’s gaze dropped as her cleavage shifted with the motion and he almost lost track of his words.

“Maybe, but how?” Jiraiya questioned. “Hell if any of us were likely to I’d have thought it’d be you, hime.” He shook his head, and raised his eyebrows and Tsunade glared, folding her arms beneath her chest.

“You thought Tsunade was more suited to domesticity?” Dan asked, not sitting up from where he lay stretched out on the bench opposite.

“And what’s that supposed to mean?” Tsunade demanded, mouth pulled into a perilous frown as she looked down at him, as though she hadn’t been angry at the suggestion of it before.

Dan flicked his fringe out of his eyes. “That you are a very active woman and you would get bored in a hot second if you tried to be a housewife, dearest.” he said with a wry little grin.

Tsunade huffed, but unbent anyway, tilting her head and reaching down, fingers running through Dan’s hair lightly. “As though Oro is any better, in fact I am sure he’s worse.” she said with a sniff.

Jiraiya wasn’t so sure about that, now she framed it that way - Orochimaru hated to be bored with a passion and would rip verbal strips off the hide of those he found tiresome when subjected to their extended presence, but Tsunade had the patience of a jackrabbit and Orochimaru had nothing but . . . when he so chose. When it was important to him.

“Orochimaru-san is also still an active-duty jounin, who runs some sort of experiments, whatever it is he does for the village in that lab,” Dan waved a hand, “in his time not on missions, and his research binges. He’s probably busier than any three average ninja. I doubt he’ll get bored.”

“That sounds like it might be just enough to occupy him.” Tsunade agreed wryly. “What about Sakumo?”

“Oh, he’d go mad taken off duty entirely, but domestic isn’t really a surprise either.” Dan said lazily. “I think he’s been wanting for it, honestly.”

“They do seem happy.” Tsunade said slowly.

Dan tilted his head and looked up at her with a smile. “They’ve found something that works for them. That does make them happy. We should all be so lucky.”

Jiraiya rolled his eyes at the soppy look on Dan’s face, but Tsunade was only leaning closer to him, smiling and all but cooing.

Chapter 157: Sake-Saturated Regrets

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Orochiii. . .”

“Oh for fuck’s sake.” Orochimaru muttered, planting an elbow in Jiraiya’s solar plexus and propping him up with a shoulder ducked under his arm at the same time. “Have you always been so insufferable?”

“But you love me!” Jiraiya crowed, and Orochimaru squeezed his eyes shut for a moment.

Two more streets and they would be at Jiraiya’s apartment block. Orochimaru could dump him on his own couch and leave him to marinate in the truly excessive amount of sake he’d drunk. No doubt he would be fine by tomorrow afternoon, no matter how hellish he felt in the morning, more was the pity.

“I suppose we must be somewhat fond of you,” Orochimaru said dryly, hauling Jiraiya higher and then forwards as he began to wander off, “or we would have let your own idiocy kill you years ago.”

“Aw, you’re mean but I know what you mean, snake bastard!” Jiraiya said almost fondly as Orochimaru dragged him up the stairs. He did, at least, cooperate as best he was capable in his current state.

“And I know what you mean,” Orochimaru said, shaking his head, “or I’d be considerable less disposed to help you when you’re like this.”

“You love me.” Jiraiya said smugly, and lurched sideways suddenly, winding his arms around Orochimaru and leaning heavily into him as he stiffened, lifting his jaw and tilting his head away. “And- I miss you, Orochi. . .”

Orochimaru frowned. “I’m right here. Dragging your sake-saturated carcass home instead of letting you sleep in a gutter, though believe me it was tempting. . .”

“No. . . Yes, and- I, thank you, gutters are uncomfortable.” Jiraiya said, frowning, and Orochimaru considered suggesting he try not drinking enough to collapse in them, then. “That’s not- I miss you. Orochi. . . You still-” He interrupted himself by hauling at Orochimaru’s shoulders and pressing a sloppy kiss to his chin.

Orochimaru’s eyes widened even as he twisted out of Jiraiya’s grasp and slammed one fist into his cheek. Jiraiya hit the floor hard and Orochimaru hissed in fury, barely restraining himself from kicking his friend. “No I do not.” he snapped. “I’m- Oh for fuck’s sake.” He stepped away and began the seals to unlock Jiraiya’s door.

“Orochi. . .” Jiraiya nearly whined behind him and Orochimaru seriously considered leaving him there. The apartment was only a few paces away, surely he could drag himself in when he felt like it. . .

“Next time I see you like this,” Orochimaru said, hauling Jiraiya up with considerably less care this time and dragging him into his apartment, “I am leaving you there. And going home. As I was tonight. To my mate, you sake-soaked idiot toad.”

“Miss you. . .” Jiraiya clutched at him as he pushed Jiraiya over onto the couch, and he stepped away.

“You hardly showed it then.” Orochimaru pointed out, neatening his shirt where Jiraiya had dragged it further open. He’d certainly not seemed to care much when he abandoned Orochimaru along with the rest of Konoha. “Try not to pickle yourself too badly.”

He left, closing the door on Jiraiya’s urgent words as he leaned up to try and grasp at Orochimaru again.

Orochimaru paused, then leapt up onto the railing of the walkway outside the row of apartments, then out and onto the roof opposite, taking the quickest route towards home and the doting, warm wolf waiting there for him.

Notes:

It is incredibly too late to try and get Orochimaru back, Jiraiya. >.>

Chapter 158: Late-Night Return

Chapter Text

Kakashi stirred, frowning, then lifted his head, blinking sleepily. The door to his bedroom was open. He yawned, then-

Kakashi’s breath caught. “Mama.” He scrambled out of his futon and towards the door just as the door began to close, skidding through it and running into Mama’s legs.

“Oh!”

“Mama!” Kakashi cried quietly, clinging. “You’re home.”

Mama dislodged his hold and Kakashi whined, but Mama was only moving to kneel beside Kakashi. He wrapped his arms around Kakashi, bringing him in close. Kakashi snuffled at Mama’s collarbone, wrapping his arms around Mama in return.

“I’m home, little one.” Mama agreed softly, slipping down to sit against the wall and pulling Kakashi into his lap. Kakashi curled up to fit, though he was rather too big for this now. Mama crooned, chin on top of his head, and gently scratched the nape of his neck, making him squirm and nuzzle closer. “I’m home.” He rocked Kakashi.

Kakashi whined softly and snuggled into Mama. He stretched up and nuzzled Mama’s chin, and Mama hugged him tighter.

“Lovely?”

Mama lifted his head and unwrapped one arm from around Kakashi as Dad strode hurriedly towards them. Kakashi scuttled out of the way and Mama rose, fingers running through Kakashi’s hair, just in time to be swept into Dad’s arms with a soft whine.

Kakashi flopped against the wall, yawning, as Dad and Mama nuzzled and kissed, then slunk over to lean against their legs.

Mama looked down, brow resting against Dad’s cheek, and smiled at him, extending a hand. Kakashi pressed his cheek into it and startled when Mama scooped him off his feet and hugged him tight again. He laughed, wrapping his arms around Mama’s neck and holding tight in return.

Dad rested a hand on Kakashi’s back and moved in closer, and his parents kissed again before Dad moved them down towards Mama and Dad’s room.

“Patrol?” Mama asked.

“Just for the first half of the night. I missed you coming in.” Dad replied, stepping back to let Mama through the door ahead of him. Kakashi hummed and held on.

“We came in fast, from the south. The outer patrols were left with a bit of a mess to clear up from our pursuers. Of our pursuers.”

Kakashi whined and tugged at Mama, and he laughed softly, rubbing Kakashi’s back and putting him down.

“Glad you’re home safe, lovely.” Dad said, drawing Mama into a soft kiss before they parted to strip out of their mission gear. Kakashi yawned and curled up in their bed, and he had fallen asleep before either of them made it there themselves.

Chapter 159: First Morning

Chapter Text

Once he had properly woken, Sakumo sat up with care - so as not to disturb his bedmate, if possible - and spent a few moments more than he usually did attempting to straighten his wild hair and convince it to stay out of his face. He gave up having had roughly the same amount of success he usually did, and turned as he heard a soft moan.

Oh.

Sakumo bit his lip as Orochimaru stirred, slow and lazy - and that was a sign he appreciated as much as the fact that Orochimaru had slept at his side at all; Orochimaru trusted him - and then sat up. He ran his fingers through his hair where it fell by the right side of his face, blinked slightly hazy golden eyes, and then yawned, his long fangs falling forwards briefly.

He was adorable.

Granted, he would still flatten an entire squad of enemy nin without breaking a sweat, probably without even mussing his silky hair - but it was already mussed from sleep, and his eyes were ever-so-slightly unfocused, and his yukata sliding off his shoulder. . .

Orochimaru met Sakumo’s eyes. He smiled slowly. “Ohayou.” he said, voice a little rough and thick with sleep.

Sakumo swallowed. “Ohayou.” he returned. He couldn’t quite stop himself from reaching out with one hand, brushing his knuckles over Orochimaru’s arm. He smiled a little wider and slid his fingertips over Sakumo’s wrist and forearm. “Breakfast?”

“That would be lovely.” Orochimaru said, arching his back and tilting his head in another languid stretch.

You’re lovely.” Sakumo said, then bit his lip again. Orochimaru looked towards him, eyes sharpening a little more as he shook off sleep. He smiled, and Sakumo relaxed a little.

“Am I?” Orochimaru asked with a small smile playing about his lips once more.

“Loveliest thing I’ve ever seen.” Sakumo said, and dipped his head.

“Like this?” Orochimaru questioned, even as he slid the kakebuton away.

Sakumo raised his gaze again, eyes roaming his lover from his tousled hair all the way down his lean, powerful body. “Most especially like this. And in bed. My bed.” he added, unable to quash a grin.

Orochimaru laughed softly, and Sakumo’s grin steadied. “You’re sweet.” he said, leaning close, fingers brushing Sakumo’s cheek, and he startled a little.

“Sweet?” Sakumo repeated, blinking.

“Among other things.” Orochimaru hummed, then kissed his cheek before rising. “Breakfast?” he prompted.

Sakumo’s expression was probably foolish, but he didn’t care. “Of course. I’ll get it started.”

Chapter 160: Strong

Chapter Text

Orochimaru arched with a very satiated-sounding hum, eyes closed, and melted into a cosy-looking stretch, curled just a little, head tilted to one side and hair splayed over the pillow. Sakumo rumbled contentedly at the sight and the dull warmth of pleasure lingering in his body, moving down his mate’s side.

Orochimaru sighed, fingers brushing his shoulder blindly, and Sakumo tilted his head to nuzzle his mate’s wrist and kiss his palm. Orochimaru hummed.

Sakumo continued down his mate’s body until he reached the gentle swell of Orochimaru’s belly, pressing kisses to the taut skin and making him hum again, lighter this time, almost a laugh. Sakumo nuzzled the curve sheltering their growing cub.

“Oyasumi, little one,” Sakumo murmured, pressing his cheek to the skin, “grow-”

He broke off with a yelp, eyes widening, but didn’t jerk away.

“Wolf-heart?”

Sakumo whined softly, rubbing his cheek against his mate’s belly, where their cub had just kicked out and pushed against his face. “Our cub!” He closed his eyes, pressing his mouth and jaw to Orochimaru’s skin. “I felt them, lovely.”

Orochimaru laughed, running his fingers through Sakumo’s hair. “Yes, they’re growing so strong now.” he murmured, fond and warm. Sakumo whined, pressed against Orochimaru’s belly and nosing gently, murmuring wordlessly to their cub, hoping to feel them moving again.

They were still, and Sakumo rubbed his cheek against his mate, waiting.

“Come here, wolf-heart.” Orochimaru coaxed, tugging at him, and Sakumo sighed, kissing his mate’s belly once more, nuzzling the swell of their little one - growing so quick and so strong. . .

Then he moved up as requested, curling himself around his mate affectionately, nuzzling Orochimaru’s hair. Orochimaru hummed contentedly, turning on his side and pressing his back to Sakumo’s chest, leaning against him for support. Sakumo smiled, closing his eyes.

He opened them again as Orochimaru’s hand swept over his side, then up along his forearm to clasp his own, bringing it forward and down and- Orochimaru pressed Sakumo’s hand to his belly.

Sakumo grinned, tugging and nestling Orochimaru closer in his arms. He sighed and tilted his head aside, letting Sakumo nuzzle his throat easily.

“I love you,” Sakumo said softly, kissing the tender curve of his long neck, “both. So much.”

That is more than obvious, wolf-heart.” Orochimaru said, his voice warm, fingers tucking between Sakumo’s where they splayed over his skin. “Always.”

Sakumo grinned into his hair. Then grinned a little wider, shivering with delight, as a soft pressure bumped into his palm.

Chapter 161: Obstacles

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru hissed sharply, stilling and squeezing his eyes shut. He lifted his foot, toes flexing, and kicked the bone away without looking, grumbling low in his throat. He continued into the kitchen after a moment, putting the tea tray down and then bringing his foot up to inspect the sole.

There was a small shard of bone lodged there. He tugged it free and wondered if it was time for the teething aid to be disposed of, if it was splintering already. He threw the splinter out and went to wash up.

“Everything all right, lovely?” Sakumo asked as he entered the kitchen, coming up behind Orochimaru and running fingers through his hair. He pulled it aside lightly and kissed the nape of Orochimaru’s neck, nuzzling there and humming softly.

“Mm, of course.” Orochimaru replied, rinsing the teapot in an idle circling gesture, then tilting it upside down and leaving it beside the sink.

“You seem displeased.” Sakumo observed, his mouth against the base of Orochimaru’s neck, which was making his irritation seem more distant all the time. Sakumo kissed there and nuzzled him again, sighing contentedly, and Orochimaru smiled.

Still. . . “The teething bones need to live somewhere other than the kitchen floor. Or the doorway.” he said dryly. “That’s the third time I’ve stepped on one today.”

Not that he couldn’t avoid them, but when he had his arms full of tea tray, laundry, or books it was harder to keep track of possible obstacles on the floor under his feet. Which he shouldn’t need to do quite so assiduously inside his own home.

Sakumo stilled, then nuzzled his shoulder. “Ah.” He nipped gently. “Are you all right?”

“It’s a splintering bone. I’m fine.” Orochimaru snorted. “It is simply not very comfortable. Nor convenient, when we’re walking around our own home, to need to look out for them.”

Sakumo hummed agreement, nipping Orochimaru’s shoulder again. He suspected his mate’s full attention was not on their conversation. He tilted his head away to make more room, inviting, and Sakumo rumbled contentedly against his skin.

Notes:

Up in the air whether the teething bones belong to wolfcubs or to a small vipercub. . . *coughs*

Chapter 162: Worst Mission Ever

Chapter Text

Orochimaru tilted his head. “Hello, wolf-heart.” he called as the door closed.

He was answered with a low snarl, and blinked. He put his book down and rose, turning towards the door just as Sakumo slunk through it. And he was definitely slinking, an unusual posture for Orochimaru’s usually confident and proud mate.

Orochimaru’s brows rose. “Sakumo?” he said gently. Jiraiya had said something about the mission they’d been on, but he’d been laughing too hard for Orochimaru to get much of sense out of him. Insofar as one could ever get sense out of Jiraiya.

Sakumo snarled again, louder this time, then- whined miserably. Orochimaru frowned and moved towards his mate as Sakumo pulled off the heavy cloak he wore. Orochimaru eyed him. Those weren’t his clothes. And-

“What happened to your neck?” Orochimaru asked immediately, concerned, reaching out thoughtlessly.

Sakumo whined but stilled for Orochimaru’s reaching fingers, even as they made contact with the abraded redness curving around the base of his strong neck. Orochimaru frowned sharply. The marks suggested a picture that was all too easy to fill in around them.

Sakumo pressed close under Orochimaru’s hands, and he stroked comfortingly, fingertips rubbing up the nape of Sakumo’s neck. He shuddered under the touch, growl softening into a sweet, friendly tone.

“Wolf-heart?” Orochimaru prompted, voice low, kneading the nape of Sakumo’s neck.

Sakumo’s mumbles were too soft to quite catch amongst his growls as they grew louder once more, but Orochimaru made out cornered and collared and worst mission ever and fought not to tense himself. He kissed Sakumo’s temple, crooning comfortingly, jaw itching with the impulse to bite.

“. . .hate it. . .” Sakumo snarled, in the middle of a rough mutter, and Orochimaru tugged him in closer, nuzzling affectionately.

“You’re home now.” he offered, and the tension that had building across Sakumo’s shoulders eased again, a little. He growled a little more softly and pressed his nose to Orochimaru’s cheek, nuzzling back into his hair. “My wolf.” he added, firmly.

Sakumo sighed, crowding him back against the couch once more with a soft needy sound, and Orochimaru sank down and tugged his mate along, happily letting himself be slightly squashed under Sakumo’s weight. He loosened Sakumo’s hair from its tail and buried his hands in the wild mess, fluffing it up further and prompting a hum that might have been a laugh if Sakumo had been less upset.

Chapter 163: Brooding Wolf

Notes:

This isn't really a continuation of yesterday's, but it could be read that way - I wrote it directly after, with Sakumo's broody unhappiness stemming from that terrible mission in mind.

Chapter Text

“He can sulk?” Tsunade laughed, and Orochimaru’s brows drew together as he turned to look at his friend. She gestured at the window.

Orochimaru glanced outside and saw the silvery-white shape of his mate lying atop a large rock near the back of the wilder part of the garden. He frowned. “He’s been brooding.” he said shortly. Tsunade took a breath and he pinned her with a look.

Tsunade raised an eyebrow, but let it drop. Orochimaru put the tea on the table and she glanced out the window once more, then seated herself. She didn’t mention his mate outright again, and Orochimaru didn’t leave her an easy way to wheedle the topic in.

After seeing her out, Orochimaru did the washing up from their lunch, then tidied the kitchen. He lingered by the window for a few moments, simply looking out at Sakumo.

Then he let himself out and made his way to the ghostly mound of fur near the compound wall and the forest growing up just on the other side.

Sakumo flicked an ear towards him, but didn’t turn. Orochimaru skimmed up the rock lightly, kneeling beside his mate and reaching out, letting one hand sink into Sakumo’s thick, wild fur.

Sakumo whined, head nestling down on his front legs. Orochimaru sighed and moved up closer, curling his legs under him as he settled at his mate’s side, leaning up and over Sakumo’s ribs and back, one arm draping down his other side.

Sakumo was warm and solid, his breathing deep and slow beneath Orochimaru’s weight. He sighed heavily, and after a few minutes he settled lower on the rock, paws flexing and tail twitching. Some of the tension eased out of his body.

Orochimaru lay closer against him, resting one cheek against the back of his neck, nestling into the thick fur. He rumbled in contented welcome, and Orochimaru smiled, eyes closed, fingers digging deep enough to scratch satisfyingly.

Sakumo’s tail twitched and all but wagged, and he lifted his head, twisting to nuzzle Orochimaru’s legs, then rest his muzzle across them. Orochimaru rubbed his brow and around one of his ears, fingers straying upwards to play with the thin point.

Chapter 164: After Sannin Drinking Night

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tsunade winced as she moved a little too quickly, then cringed as she felt the stinging, revolting grime half-dried down her cleavage. She leaned over to throw up again, neater about it now than she clearly had been at whatever point last night she’d moved to the bathroom, and then sat back against the edge of the bath, raising her hands to her temples to fix the throbbing headache.

She could only dull it, but it was enough to get her up and moving again - at least into the shower. She washed up, left her filthy clothes on the bathroom floor, and drank as much water as she could stand before crawling into bed, pouting a little and wishing Dan were home.


“Mom?”

“Yes, Ki-chan?”

“What- Um. Who is that?”

Aya looked up and around, frowning slightly. “Sweetie, what- Oh.” She winced. Damn it, it was ten o’clock on a Tuesday morning, she shouldn’t have to explain. . . “It’s one of the Sannin, Ki-chan.”

“Is he okay?”

“I’m sure he is.” Aya said dryly.

“He’s in the gutter.”

“Yes. . . He does that.” Aya said, eyeing the apparently-unconscious heap of the Toad Sannin lying in the gutter. Snoring. She drew her daughter on a little quicker as they passed, nose wrinkling at the stink of stale alcohol. And ‘man who has been sleeping in gutter’. “He’ll be fine. Come along, if we get through the shopping quick enough we can spend the afternoon at the park.”

“Yay!”

Aya smiled and sped up as her daughter started to run.


“Ohayou, lovely.”

Orochimaru completed his lazy stretch and then twisted, curling into the warmth of his mate’s body before he opened his eyes. “Ohayou.” he replied, toying with the wild, fluffy lock of hair falling across Sakumo’s chest and tickling his own collarbone.

Sakumo rumbled contentedly and Orochimaru pressed closer into the pleasantly thrumming sound. “I didn’t ask last night. . . Did you have a good night out with your team?”

Orochimaru scoffed and nestled against Sakumo’s throat, humming happily as Sakumo wrapped an arm around his waist.

“Not, then?” Sakumo guessed, kneading Orochimaru’s back and sliding his hand in a firm caress up Orochimaru’s spine. He moaned approvingly, pushing into the touch.

“Better night once I got home.” he said, and smiled as Sakumo made a pleased sound. “It always is.” he added, and tipped his head up to kiss Sakumo just beneath his jaw, eliciting another low rumble of pleasure.

Notes:

Some other time, the three of them meeting up for training the next day after an unwise choice for a night out, Tsunade and Jiraiya grouchy and demanding to know how/why Orochimaru is in such a damned good mood today. . .

Orochimaru just like 'Because I got pleasantly tipsy, then stopped drinking, went home, got laid, and got a good night's sleep?' (*cough* Idiots.)

Chapter 165: Dinner Out

Chapter Text

“. . .um?” Yuki said uncertainly, and then winced, dipping her head apologetically. That wasn’t how she should speak to diners.

“Six extra plates, please. Small ones.” Hatake framed a small shape with his hands and smiled at her.

Yuki cleared her throat. “Ah . . . of course, sir. Anything . . . else?”

“Another bottle of sake, please.” Orochimaru said, gesturing to the empty one near the edge of the table, and Yuki dipped her head and collected that one.

“Certainly.” She smiled as she hurried off to deliver their orders and then search out six small plates. The Sannin had come here on their . . . drinking nights a few times, and frankly while he was unnerving Yuki was glad it was only Orochimaru tonight. And she didn’t feel any anxiety about bringing them more to drink.

Orochimaru had never broken anything. Or felt up the waitstaff; Yuki shuddered. Or shouted - at them or his dinner companions - even when he had complaints they were delivered in sharp, dry tones.

Yuki brought the sake, the plates, and a small tray of spring rolls to Orochimaru and Hatake’s table. She paused, mid-step, as she took in the little heaps of shimmering scales on the previously clear half of the table by the wall. She swallowed, gathered herself, and completed the trip to the table, smiling weakly and putting down her items.

Hatake set out the plates before the snakes on the table, each of whom hissed - contemplatively? - and settled a bit near one. Yuki couldn’t quite take her eyes off them as she reported how long the food would be and then backed away again.

It made, Yuki supposed as she watched them neatly portion out servings onto each of the snakes’ plates, a bit more sense of how much food they had ordered. Though one could never be sure with ninja - why it hadn’t given her pause before.

She was horribly curious about the snakes, particularly once it was clear that they were perfectly content to sit there on the table and be fed and occasionally stroked by either of the ninja, but it would be very rude to ask. She contented herself with snatched looks from time to time.

Chapter 166: Rumours and Truths

Chapter Text

Oh, right, Satou thought to himself, taking a breath and eyeing the Konoha gates - wide open, of course, cocky bastards; not that he could argue it being that unwise - as he approached, just . . . sneak into Konoha and sniff out the Sannin and bring back a full report.

Satou once more cursed his luck in getting drawn for this mission as he made his way into Konoha, studiously ignoring the other three nin he knew who were doing the same.

Three days in Konoha and Satou hadn’t found out much - but he also hadn’t been discovered. He suspected at least one of his fellows had been and felt rather vindicated in his caution - and even more uneasy about his mission.

There was a decent amount of gossip freely available in the market on any given day, however, and Satou had hopes he could eventually ferret out what the Kazekage wanted to know. Without attempting to get into any of the Sannin’s personal residences, or trail them.

He had seen Tsunade and confirmed there was no way she was pregnant, unless she wore the same henge at home as she had for a mission . . . and had been willing to take a mission when she must be at least six or seven months pregnant. Though he knew relatively little of her, Satou doubted it.

“Orochimaru-sama!”

Satou’s focus spiked; the child was supposedly Orochimaru’s, perhaps his presence here would let Satou pick up more information. This was the first he had heard of Orochimaru since he arrived, and he had wondered if Orochimaru was on a mission too restricted for Satou to find information on.

“Ah! Is Sakumo-sama returning?” the shopkeeper asked cheerily as she efficiently wrapped several fish in paper.

Satou stared. Orochimaru looked . . . rather different than the twice Satou had seen him in person before, but only a small part of that could be attributed to the lack of his armour and the softer expression on his face. His middle was-

He was the Snake Sannin, perhaps he had . . . eaten something. . ?

He shifted, sliding his hand over his swollen stomach and smiling at the shopkeeper. “He is just back this morning. I thought I’d surprise him when he wakes from his nap.” Orochimaru told her.

She made a cooing sound. “Ah but don’t forget to let him spoil you a little! You deserve it, and all.”

“Believe me,” Orochimaru said with a low laugh, “I do not think anything would stop him from doing so. I had to stop him crooning over me and the little one long enough to go to bed when he came in.”

The shopkeeper made a cooing sound, beaming. “Oh, he’ll be such a good Daddy.”

“Certainly.” Orochimaru agreed, moving away with a dip of his head, sharp mouth curved into a faint, but soft smile.

Satou edged around a corner and pressed his back to the wall, rubbing his face. Child. Orochimaru. They’d said, all the rumours coming out of Konoha, but. . .

Oh fuck, Satou thought, eyes widening, as it sank in that it was true. The Snake Sannin and the White Fang of Konoha were having a child together?

He swallowed down rising panic.

Chapter 167: Meeting (happy news)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“You’re sure you don’t want to come with me?” Orochimaru asked, fingers curled around Sakumo’s wrist. “It’s your news too. . .”

Sakumo rumbled contentedly, eyes mist-silver, and nuzzled his cheek. “He’s your sensei. I’ll wait for you.” He kissed Orochimaru lightly and rumbled again. “I don’t want to intrude.”

Orochimaru hissed negation - it would hardly be an intrusion - but nodded and went in to see Sarutobi-sensei alone, stomach curling with giddy pleasure. He trailed his fingertips over his stomach, cycling his chakra and feeling the heated spark nestled deep inside. He could perhaps have kept the smile from his face with some effort, but he let it show openly as he dipped his head to his sensei and exchanged polite greetings.

“What is it you wished to speak with me about?” Sarutobi-sensei asked eventually, steepling his fingers and looking at Orochimaru over them. “You seem . . . content?”

“Yes. Yes, it’s. . .” Orochimaru’s smile widened a little. “Sakumo and I have been discussing . . . trying. . .”

“You are having difficulties?”

“No!” Orochimaru denied immediately, startled. “No, of course not! We. . .” He shifted, feeling reflexively for the little spark of his hatchlingcub once more and relaxing, smile returning. “I am carrying our child. We aren’t having difficulties . . . we’re building our family, sensei.” He knew his expression had gone soft but hardly cared.

“You what?” Sarutobi-sensei asked, voice almost flat.

Orochimaru tensed. “We. . . We have been happy together . . . we wanted to grow our family, and. . . I’m pregnant, Sarutobi-sensei.” he repeated.

“You’re- You are pregnant?” Sarutobi-sensei said, pushing back in his chair, leaning away from his desk. Orochimaru opened his mouth, then nodded mutely. “Damn. I need a drink. Kami, how? Why?

Orochimaru swallowed, the fingers of his right hand curling shakily in towards his palm. He slid his other hand thoughtlessly over his stomach, resting protectively over the tiny spark that would grow into his child, and felt a sick, painful stab as Sarutobi-sensei’s gaze dropped to follow the gesture and his expression twisted.

“Because,” Orochimaru tried all the same, however, “I love him, and I- I want my family with him. I want. . .” his voice faltered thinly and he swallowed, seeking the reassuring feeling of the little spark again, his chakra control slipping a little.

“I don’t understand why you would. . . would do this to yourself, Orochimaru. What are you trying to gain by such a-”

Orochimaru’s head jerked up, spine straightening, as the door opened with a sharp snap and a moment later Sakumo was at his side with a snarl, gentle hands pulling him from the chair. Orochimaru moved with him easily, leaning into his mate’s side and closing his eyes, using Sakumo as a shield.

Notes:

Failkage is also Failsensei. As usual.

next in arc

Chapter 168: Den (happy news)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The urge to destroy the source of his mate’s distress warred with the need to take him away, somewhere safe, within Sakumo as he crashed through the door. He snarled, only aware in a deep corner of his mind that he was making a rather threatening display towards his Hokage, and curled his mate into his arms, the need to be sure of his mate and cub’s safety winning out easily.

Orochimaru didn’t resist as Sakumo pulled him away, passing by an ANBU that stank of fear as they left. Sakumo didn’t slow his pace until they were safely within the walls of the Hatake compound, and then. . . Orochimaru let out a rough, breathy little sound and pressed firmly against him, clinging.

Sakumo whined, hugging his mate close and rocking him, nuzzling his face and letting his tongue flick out to catch a single tear as he saw it spill down Orochimaru’s face. He nudged his mate up again, on into their den and right to the heart of it, and curled around Orochimaru in their bed, wrapping his mate is every layer of safety and comfort he could provide.

Orochimaru wound his fingers into Sakumo’s hair, knuckles brushing his neck, and shuddered minutely with hitching, silent breaths. Sakumo crooned comfortingly and cuddled his mate close, stroking his back and side, peppering nuzzling kisses over Orochimaru’s face and shoulder.

Orochimaru calmed slowly, though his scent was still thick with distress, and Sakumo swallowed a whine. He pressed a lingering kiss to Orochimaru’s cheek, and he sighed, turning away but staying tucked up close to Sakumo’s body.

Sakumo startled when he finally did pull away, some time later, and hurriedly climbed to his feet after his mate, hands outstretched. Orochimaru shook his head slightly. “I’m all right, wolf-heart.” Orochimaru said, his voice low. “Leave me alone.”

Sakumo whined, pulling up short. Orochimaru smiled at him, thin and tiny and sad, and trailed a caress over his cheek. “I just. . . Give me a little while. Please.”

Sakumo sighed, but nodded, nuzzling a kiss to his mate’s palm. “Anything you wish, lovely.” He didn’t remind Orochimaru to call if he needed Sakumo; he knew that well. He came close for a last embrace, then left his mate alone, stepping out into the garden.

He lingered there for a time, senses fixed on his mate, in case Orochimaru had misjudged or changed his mind, and indulged the growls building in his chest at the callous words from someone so important to his mate. So dismissive, so disquieted . . . so disdainful, and all aimed at Sakumo’s beloved mate and barely growing cub.

Chapter 169: Can You? (happy news)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tsunade opened her door ready to curse at Jiraiya for the impatient banging on it and found herself wrong-footed to see Sakumo waiting there, tense and looking rather more aggressive than she recalled seeing him off mission. A pang of anxiety curled in her stomach.

“What is it? Is Oro all right?” Tsunade reached for her sandals, only to be stopped by Sakumo wrapping a hand around her forearm. “Sakumo?”

“Can you be happy for him?” Sakumo demanded, voice rough with a growl.

Tsunade frowned. “. . .what do you mean?” she asked uncertainly.

“Oro was happy and-” Sakumo snarled, releasing her arm and punching the doorframe, and Tsunade swallowed, worry growing. “Your sensei crushed it for him. Can you be happy for your friend?

Tsunade had no idea what he was talking about, but she bit her lip, remembering far too many times watching Sarutobi-sensei ignore Orochimaru or deflect his questions or hopes. “Yes, of course. He- Everything is all right?”

“Better than.” Sakumo smiled, though it was a bit tight. “Or it was, before the Hokage-”

“Sarutobi-sensei. . .” Tsunade sighed, grimacing. “Never mind.” She shook her head. “Oro?”

“I thought. . .” Sakumo took a breath and huffed it out sharply. “He knows I. . . But his sensei,” he bared his teeth, “I thought one of his oldest friends, maybe. . .”

Tsunade smiled at him fondly. Glad, once more, that she hadn’t actually punched Sakumo when she first heard that he had taken Orochimaru to bed. “All right.” She pulled on her sandals and stepped outside. “Your home?”

Chapter 170: Shared Happiness (happy news)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tsunade still felt a spark of worry as she followed Sakumo into the Hatake compound, then up into the house itself. He had assured her that Orochimaru was as well as he could be, but something was clearly wrong, and Tsunade fretted not to know what it was.

Orochimaru was curled snugly in one corner of the couch, looking slightly forlorn and very contained. His eyes were sharp but focused elsewhere, and he had his legs tucked up close, one arm around his middle behind them and the other beside him. He had always made himself smaller and neater when he was distressed. Tsunade frowned.

“Lovely?” Sakumo said softly, his eyes warm and concerned. “Tsunade came to see you, is it all right? I thought,” he said, when Orochimaru looked up, lashes fluttering, a tilt of his head sliding his hair away from his face, “you might like to share our news with her.”

“News?” Tsunade questioned, looking between them, then ignoring Sakumo to approach her best friend.


Orochimaru was startled when Sakumo spoke to him, and more so when he looked up and saw Tsunade standing partially behind him. Share- Share their news with her?

A part of Orochimaru floated happily at the thought, but the rest of him caught on Sarutobi-sensei’s words - Sarutobi-sensei who had always been so disappointed in him for lacking warmth, who had so espoused the love and loyalty of family and dedication and. . .

And somehow what love and family Orochimaru found for himself was still wrong, as he had always been wrong.

“I,” he began, keeping his eyes on his friend rather than glancing to his mate once more, “am carrying a child. We have been hoping-”

“. . .you’re what?” Tsunade repeated, blinking, brows drawing together.

Orochimaru’s stomach curled unpleasantly. “I’m pregnant. Sakumo and I have discussed- discussed a family and we wanted. . .”

Tsunade blinked again, then grinned at him, wide and bright. “Oh! Oh that’s wonderful, congratulations, Oro!” She dropped onto the couch at his side and hugged him tight, kissing his cheek as his breath caught. “How did you manage it? How far along?” She pulled back a little and inspected his middle by eye. “How are you feeling?”

Orochimaru was still for a moment before a smile spread across his face and he laughed. Comforted and painfully relieved.

Tsunade shoved him gently. “Oro! Come on!” She paused, extending her fingers towards him. “May I. . .”

Orochimaru bent his head to rest against hers. “Of course. Please.” he said, warmed by her smiling curiosity and her concern. And it would . . . ease his mind to have Tsunade and her skill confirm that he and the hatchlingcub were well. “Only- Only a few weeks.”

“Oh! You are! So tiny still.” Tsunade said after a moment, her fingers glowing green where they rested on his stomach. “Good, you haven’t done anything foolish to yourself. . . I never realised that was quite. . .”

“I hadn’t either. It took rather a lot of reading up in my family’s records and some . . . educated guesses to get here.” Orochimaru said quietly, guessing she was speaking of the vestigial organ he had . . . altered inside himself, which was now sheltering his little one.

“You will have to tell me about it later.” Tsunade prodded him. “And explain why you didn’t tell me what you were trying.”

“Ah-”

“And? How are you feeling?” Tsunade repeated, eyeing him.

Orochimaru paused, then hummed, lips curling. “Happy.” he said honestly, and Tsunade grinned.

“Good.” Tsunade said firmly, leaning forwards and wrapping her arms around his shoulders. “I’m happy for you. Thank you for sharing it with me.”

Orochimaru returned her embrace, relaxing into her warm arms.

Chapter 171: Warning (happy news)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Jiraiya!”

Jiraiya’s brows rose, but he grinned and headed for Tsunade as soon as he was past the gate chuunin. “Hime! What has me so lucky as to warrant a personal welcome?” he asked as he opened his arms and snagged her into a hug.

Tsunade huffed and swatted him, but it was barely bruising. And he felt the flare of her chakra filtering through his own as she checked him over, then the heat of his bruised ribs easing from throbbing pain into a dull ache. “Thank you.”

Tsunade sniffed and patted his side over the bruising. “Welcome back. Once you’ve delivered your report-”

“I don’t have to do that today.” Jiraiya said, and grinned when Tsunade shot him a look. “I don’t! What is it?”

Tsunade rolled her eyes, lips twitching. “. . .Oro has news to share with us. With you, I already know.”

“. . .news?” Jiraiya asked, frowning as he tried to think what it was. “About his snakes?” he hazarded. “An experiment?”

“N- Perhaps. Personal news.” Tsunade said, and Jiraiya hummed, curious. “And you are going to be happy about this news, Jiraiya! If you say anything disparaging or upsetting I will use you to set new records for punch-powered flight.” She narrowed her eyes at him and Jiraiya had to fight to stifle a laugh.

“I get it, I get it!” Jiraiya said, raising his hands as Tsunade glared, her hands curling into fists. “So are we going to hear Orochi’s news? I’m curious now.”

Tsunade sniffed again and turned on her heel, striding off towards the Hatake compound, and Jiraiya shook his head, amused, and followed obediently.

Although. . . Was he really so bad that Tsunade was this angry, this prepared for him to be awful to one of his best friends if he had something happy to share? A frown tugged at his lips, though he cleared it away when Tsunade glanced back at him, and moved up to walk at her side with a grin.

Chapter 172: Foreign Territory (happy news)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“. . .holy fuck a baby? There’s a baby in there?” Jiraiya stared at Orochimaru’s stomach, a little startled when he curled up, legs folding before himself, and Sakumo settled closer, baring his teeth over Orochimaru’s shoulder as he wrapped an arm around Orochimaru.

“Yes.” Orochimaru said shortly.

“. . .can I feel it?” Jiraiya asked, and Orochimaru went still. “I mean, would it hurt or-”

Orochimaru laughed, leaning his head back against Sakumo’s and giving Jiraiya an amused little smirk - an expression he was quite familiar with from his best friend. “No, you can’t. Not yet; they’re far too small to show any sign yet. Barely a spark.” The smirk softened into fond warmth.

“Oh.” Jiraiya nodded. That . . . made sense he supposed. Tsunade, however, was giving him an exasperated look. “What? I avoid anything to do with babies! How was I supposed to know?”

“Apply a modicum of sense?” Tsunade muttered, and Jiraiya snorted, ignoring her.

“Once they are bigger, no, it wouldn’t hurt them to feel.” Orochimaru continued, and Jiraiya looked at him again, surprised himself at the spark of curiosity and eagerness he felt. Though. . . He wondered if he would be allowed anyway. “Unless you’re prodding hard enough to hurt me.” Orochimaru raised an eyebrow.

“I wouldn’t!” Jiraiya said immediately, then paused. “. . .not while you’re pregnant. That’s just. . .”

“Dreadful?” Tsunade suggested dryly.

Sakumo nuzzled Orochimaru’s throat with a low growl that made the nape of Jiraiya’s neck tingle unpleasantly but only made Orochimaru hum contentedly and go boneless in his embrace. They. . .

Orochimaru looked happy. Jiraiya had seen him happy before, and had known he was happy with his choice of partner - with his partner in general - but this was . . . a new depth of contented pleasure. Orochimaru had always felt contained and unhappy - not lacking, but a little lost - and . . . that was gone now, not a trace of that sorrow left in him.

“I really am happy for you.” Jiraiya said, and Orochimaru’s half-lidded eyes opened and fixed on him again. “Congratulations, Orochi.”

Orochimaru smiled, slow and almost sweet, golden eyes warm like honey.

Chapter 173: The Traditional Way (happy news)

Chapter Text

“Hime? Can . . . I talk to you for a few?”

Tsunade eyed him, but followed him inside. “What is it?” she asked, wrinkling her nose at the state of his apartment but not commenting as she left her sandals at the door and padded across to the couch after him.

“Orochi . . . he was upset already. And Sakumo is never that angry unless there’s a reason. I might be. . .” Jiraiya shook his head. “But I’m not that bad. What . . . happened?”

Tsunade bit her lip as she curled into one corner of the couch. “Oro . . . told Sarutobi-sensei first.” she said, and Jiraiya nodded. “It . . . didn’t go well. I wasn’t there, of course, and he didn’t say exactly, but. . . Sakumo came to get me after. And I’ve heard some things since.” Her face twisted, and if she’d been looking at him that way, he’d have. . .

Well, he’d proven that he had perhaps less sense than he should when it came to avoiding either of his teammates’ sharp tempers, but Jiraiya also had the benefit of their fondness for him as a shield from the worst of it, from both quarters.

“Didn’t go well? Why not?” Jiraiya asked, frowning.

“Sarutobi-sensei has been . . . avoiding Orochimaru. I heard him,” Tsunade looked like she was grinding her teeth, “speaking with someone about how unnatural- He looked- The things he’s said, his distaste. . .”

Jiraiya slouched back on his end of the couch. “I. . . What? Why would sensei disapprove? He’s forever espousing the wonders of family. Keeps shoving that line at me.” He shuddered. He was . . . very glad Orochimaru was happy, more than happy it seemed, and it had perhaps made him pause and think . . . but Jiraiya didn’t want what his friend had. He cringed at the idea of a baby.

“Well, apparently it isn’t to be desired when Oro does it.” Tsunade snapped, then hauled a pillow in against her chest. Jiraiya eyed it and figured he might be replacing it, watching her fingers curl tight into the edges. “Apparently he’s doing it wrong. Not how he should be establishing a family. Or maybe sensei thinks Oro isn’t capable of-” She broke off with a frustrated cry.

“Seems pretty capable to me. Even if I’d have thought it was impossible to do what he is.” Jiraiya muttered, with a bit of a shudder.

What?” Tsunade demanded, glaring.

Jiraiya put his hands up. “Just. Can’t imagine wanting to be in his place.” he said hurriedly. “Besides, it’s Orochi. Of course he’s capable of it if he wants. Is he ever not? And isn’t what he’s doing the, erm,” Jiraiya waved a hand, “most traditional way to . . . go about this?”

Tsunade blinked at him, then burst into laughter, tilting backwards on the couch, and Jiraiya grinned. It didn’t fade even when she chucked his pillow at him - and it exploded on contact, he was going to need to replace it - yelling his name.

Chapter 174: Hidden Hurts

Chapter Text

Sakumo nodded to the medic, and he frowned, but leapt on ahead to see who actually was in need of his skills. Sakumo carefully drew a deep breath, stopping abruptly when his ribs throbbed with stabbing pains and noting where it had been so he wouldn’t do it again.

“Taichou, everyone is mobile.” Hara reported, appearing at his side.

Sakumo nodded, sweeping a glance over the rest of them. “Two minutes.” he said softly, and Hara gave a quick nod of understanding, then moved off again.

Normally Sakumo would assist in the clearing of the battlefield before they left, but this time he remained in his place overlooking everyone else. It would be time to move soon enough, and he reserved his stamina for that, today.

They made good time home, the light only beginning to fade towards dusk as they were welcomed through the gates. Sakumo checked over his team one last time, then dismissed them, off to give his preliminary report and then to the hospital to be patched up.

He cringed as Tsunade gripped the back of his shirt at the collar, almost as though she was trying to scruff him like an unruly cub. “Why wasn’t this treated earlier? You had a medic with you! If Nao hasn’t been-”

“I didn’t tell him. We were in a hurry and it wasn’t severe enough to require immediate attention. I could move.” Sakumo said, shaking his head.

Tsunade gave a passable growl and Sakumo raised his eyebrows.

“Oh for- Take better care of yourself.” Tsunade shook him, and Sakumo winced. “Get home to your husband. He’s been waiting for you.”

Sakumo’s heart fluttered. He’d hoped, since Tsunade was here, but the Sannin didn’t always return together even when deployed together. He almost trembled, holding himself in place.

Tsunade snorted, running a hand still glowing with iryou chakra over his side. “Go. You’re all patched up. Don’t come back in this state from a mission with an iryou-nin on your team again unless it’s an actual emergency or next time I’ll make it hurt.”

Sakumo thanked her, might have promised something along those lines, and left via the window, the main doors much too far away as he bolted for home and his mate.

Chapter 175: Climbing Cub

Chapter Text

Nearly there, nearly there, nearly . . . there. . .

Kakashi stuck his tongue out as he reached a little higher, almost at the top of the compound wall. He wasn’t going to climb over it - he wasn’t allowed out alone - but he was going to climb it and get all the way to the top, he was-

“Oh!” Kakashi put his hand on something that skittered and let go immediately, but he was startled enough to lose hold on the chakra he was channelling and promptly tumbled off the wall entirely. He was arrested after falling most of the way to the ground with a jerking thump. “Dad.

Dad rumbled softly, turning and carrying Kakashi away from the wall and back towards the house by the back of his shirt. Kakashi sighed and let himself hang there without further protest.

Mama stepped outside as they approached the house, and smiled, not quite laughing. “Have you had an adventure, little one?” he asked, holding his arms out.

Dad dropped him into Mama’s arms, then paced in a lazy circle around them, rubbing his head against Mama’s shoulder. He looked down at Kakashi, then nosed his cheek, ears tilted forwards. Kakashi grumbled but rubbed his cheek against Dad’s muzzle in return.

“I had it.” Kakashi huffed. “I was almost at the top!”

“Of course, cubling.” Mama soothed, brushing a hand over his hair, picking out bits of leaf. “Perhaps a break before you try again, mm?”

Kakashi huffed again, but nodded obediently and snuggled into Mama’s arms.

“Time for lunch, in any case. If your father will-” Mama fell silent as Dad suddenly shifted forms and dragged them both in close, whining teasingly and kissing Mama’s cheek.

Chapter 176: Morning Tea

Chapter Text

Orochimaru stirred as he heard . . . something in the kitchen. It would barely have been worthy of notice, save that the broad, solid heat of his mate was firmly by his side.

“Wolf-heart?” Orochimaru said thickly.

“Good morning, lovely.” Sakumo returned, shifting beside him, brushing against Orochimaru in a warm, soft caress of skin on skin.

Orochimaru sighed, contentment creeping over him despite the somewhat worrying clinking and tapping sounds from the kitchen. He raised a hand and splayed it over his closed eyes. “What is our cubling doing?” he asked.

“Ah. I am not certain.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru groaned, sliding his arm up until the crook of his elbow was draped over his eyes instead. “It seems he is coming this way, however.” Sakumo added after a moment.

Orochimaru listened, then shifted his arm and sat up just as their son slid carefully into their bedroom, a heavy tray held carefully in both his hands.

“I made tea!” Kakashi said proudly as he looked up and saw them both watching him. Then he hesitated on his way towards them. “Erm. The soup didn’t-”

“Wait.” Orochimaru interrupted, holding up a hand. “Tea.”

Kakashi made a confused sound, and Sakumo took a cup from the tray he held, passing it into Orochimaru’s hands and smiling at their son. “I believe . . . perhaps wait until after the tea, to tell us how the soup went.” Sakumo suggested, though his voice seemed to be stuck somewhere between amusement and horror.

“All right!” Kakashi said, voice light and happy. He put the tray down beside the futon once Sakumo had taken the other cup, then crawled between them with a low whine.

Orochimaru sipped his tea - Kakashi wasn’t supposed to be doing it unsupervised but at least he did know how to do that - and ran a hand over his son’s hair. Kakashi whined again, happy and warm, and snuggled between them a little more.

Chapter 177: Active-Duty Parenting (pigeon fancying)

Notes:

So twitchi was chasing identification of a particular fancy pigeon breed, and as we eventually found it Koi had an idea relating to bb!Kakashi and said fancy pigeons, and that gave me an idea . . . and now there's this four-piece arc.

Whoops?

(Something like this will likely appear in the Snake-Shaped Space series at some point as well.)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Ah, here you are, Sakumo-san.” Taruko offered up a scroll. “Should be no trouble to bring along your son this time, either.”

Sakumo smiled as he accepted the red-wrapped scroll. “Thank you.” he said without pointing out that there had yet to be any trouble in taking his now-genin cub with him on missions. Even ones a genin would never be assigned in their own right. Kakashi accompanying Sakumo or his mate on their missions was not, Sakumo thought as he began making his way home, entirely unlike a genin who had apprenticed rather than put in a three-man team shadowing their jounin-sensei.

It wasn’t quite how Kakashi had been assigned, but then, he had seemingly . . . slipped through the cracks when he was graduated from the Academy. Sakumo and Orochimaru had discussed it, and their cub’s dreadful boredom at the Academy, along with the alienation from the other students, and agreed removing him from that would be best. He would continue to advance his skills now as a genin, but . . . perhaps he would find it easier to adjust to his peers when they were all older.

Sakumo was pulled from his thoughts as he met his mate at their own door.

“Hello, darling.” Orochimaru greeted him with a kiss, and Sakumo smiled, catching him close for a more lingering nuzzle. Orochimaru laughed softly and returned it, and Kakashi appeared by their feet just as they parted, panting a little and scuffed up but looking happy.

Sakumo ruffled his hair. “Hello cub. Lovely. I’ve a new mission,” he paused as Orochimaru hummed, “you too?”

Orochimaru nodded. “Why don’t you go clean up before dinner, cubling?” he advised, and headed towards the kitchen himself, Sakumo on his heels. He flipped his scroll - also an A-rank - onto the table as he went to the stove to put the kettle on.

Sakumo fished out his own and broke the seal. “What have you got?”

“Assassination.” Orochimaru said easily, taking down fresh cups. “You?”

“Mm, escort mission. Nobleman. Threats, unknown ninja assailants. . .” Sakumo skimmed.

“You take Kakashi.” Orochimaru suggested, and Sakumo nodded agreement absently, then paused.

“Oh.”

“What is it?” Orochimaru asked, coming around the table and reaching for the scroll.

Sakumo lifted his head as his mate took the scroll to read himself. He tried to imagine the havoc their sneaky little cub could wreak in a contained space with however many very fancy, very expensive, probably very slow - and caged - birds.

He wondered if it would really be so bad if Kakashi went with Orochimaru instead of coming along with him.

Chapter 178: Prey-Rich Environs (pigeon fancying)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Kakashi leapt lightly between the tiers of the rafters, humming near-silently to himself as he scanned the large hall below. It was full of people with perfumes that made his nose itch - he’d been told it was rude to sneeze and ruder still to rub his nose, but it was very difficult, even with his mask; he didn’t know how Dad managed a straight face - and bright colours and. . .

And so many fat, fluffy birds. Many of them had funny feathered heads, layers and layers that fell down over their faces so they couldn’t even see. They were so fat and stupid even the ones in little fenced in ranges wouldn’t or couldn’t get free and the fences were no higher than the length of a kunai!

Kakashi sniffed as he hurried along another beam, eyes darting between the big cages of fancy birds. There just ahead was one that was open to the roof, only wire walls that held a dozen birds in black, white, and browns.

Kakashi glanced around, then dropped down into the middle of the cage and snatched one, bounding back up into the rafters while it trumpeted weakly and breaking its neck before it could get any louder. He stripped away feathers and bit into the soft, rich meat with a happy rumble, watching the people as Dad had asked.

He contemplated the pack he carried, as always when he was accompanying one of his parents on a mission, and how many of the fat, stupid birds could be fit into it. . .

Notes:

The pigeons Kakashi notes are likely bukhara trumpeters.

next in arc

Chapter 179: Bird-Stealing Guidelines (pigeon fancying)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo’s eyes widened. He smiled politely and quickly extricated himself from the conversation he had been drawn into, then strode across the exhibition floor. He made it to his cub just in time to get his paws away from the locks on the cage of . . . some kind of ridiculously overbred pigeons that looked too fat too fly and had so many feathers over the face he wasn’t entirely sure how they ate.

“Dad!” Kakashi protested, kicking his feet a little as Sakumo lifted him by the back of his collar.

Sakumo laughed, smiling reassuringly at the civilian passing by who had stopped to stare, and they relaxed and moved on. “No, these birds are not for eating, cub.” he told Kakashi in a low voice.

Kakashi whined again, reaching out for the cage and scrabbling weakly at the wire that was still just within reach before Sakumo pulled him away. “Dad! They’re fat and too stupid to even recognise predators! They can’t even fly away!” he protested as Sakumo put his cub over his shoulder. “Hungry, Dad!”

“These birds belong to people. Who are very particular about them.” Sakumo said patiently, then frowned. “You had breakfast less than two hours ago.” he added dryly.

“I’m a growing cubling! Mama says so all the time!” Kakashi protested, and Sakumo stifled a laugh. “Need to eat lots of meat and good things! Delicious birdses are good for me!”

“Your mother,” Sakumo said, shaking his head and shifting Kakashi on his shoulder, “spoils you, cub.”

Mama would let me steal the birdses.” Kakashi huffed poutily.

Sakumo opened his mouth, then closed it again. Orochimaru likely would, so long as Kakashi stole them. And would assure anyone who asked he had no idea what had happened to the fancy pigeons, and he hadn’t been hired to guard birds in any case.

Usually around that point in explanations, no matter what the topic, Orochimaru’s sharp little smile started to make civilians, or even other ninja, reconsider how much they wanted to test him. It just made Sakumo’s stomach flutter.

“Mama probably would.” Sakumo agreed as he slid Kakashi down and crouched before him. “However, you are on my mission, and you may not steal and eat the delicious birdses.” he instructed firmly. “We are here to guard-”

“Boring dull Hachi-san.” Kakashi rattled off with a huff. “Scary unknown ninja threats.”

“. . .yes.” Sakumo said, sighing. The client was . . . obnoxiously dull and had insisted on speaking with them most of the way here. Sakumo counted himself lucky his cub, with all the control and patience to be expected of a cub his age, however advanced, hadn’t growled or snapped at the man in bored frustration. “No stealing his expensive birds. Or anyone else’s.”

Kakashi sighed poutily, but agreed obediently, and Sakumo ruffled his hair and kissed his brow. “Good cub. When we get a break we’ll go out and catch some wild birds, all right?”

Kakashi brightened a little and gave a happy whine, and Sakumo chuckled and nuzzled him affectionately.

Chapter 180: Cubling-Reported Lesson (pigeon fancying)

Notes:

previous in arc

Later today there will be a story up for mamasnek's birthday, as well~

Chapter Text

Sakumo grinned, watching his cub nestle into his mother’s arms, scenting and rumbling happily as Orochimaru petted and coddled him close, kissing the top of his head. Golden eyes rose to meet his own, and Orochimaru arched a brow, tilting his head.

Sakumo moved to join them with alacrity, claiming his own space to scent and nuzzle his mate, Kakashi slightly squashed between them. He giggled and clung, and Orochimaru laughed as they both pressed close to him, making Sakumo smile, chest warm with fondness.

As they settled into the cushions in the main room together, Sakumo let Kakashi tell Orochimaru about their mission first - and didn’t ask about Orochimaru’s; not now, though he would, when Kakashi was asleep, later - and stifled his amusement at what Kakashi thought was important to include or emphasise, and what didn’t even rate a mention.

“And Mama, Dad wouldn’t let me steal the delicious, fat birdses! And they were everywhere! And slow! And so stupid they didn’t even try to fly away!” Kakashi protested, pouting.

“They belong to people.” Sakumo reminded, again.

“Dad!” Kakashi whined, curled in his mother’s lap and pouting.

“Well of course he did not,” Orochimaru said, tapping Kakashi’s nose with one fingertip, “he caught you at it, little one. If you want to steal the delicious birdses, you must be able to outsneak your father.”

“Lovely!” Sakumo protested.

Ohhh. . .” Kakashi said, eyes suddenly wide. He smiled, a sharp little determined grin that looked very like his mother’s. “I didn’t realise it was s’posed to be a lesson, Dad!” he said, looking up at Sakumo.

“It was not!” Sakumo said quickly. “Not a lesson! It was a mission - a job! And not to steal delicious- I mean, fancy, expensive birds, that those nobles are very attached to, and are not for eating, let alone for stealing by little sneaking cubs!”

“Everything is a lesson.” Orochimaru said with a sly smirk. “And everything is for stealing, if you can sneak well enough.”

Sakumo sighed, propping his chin in his hand and just looking at his mate. Orochimaru stroked Kakashi’s back, his expression not faltering. Kakashi looked calculating, sharp and focused and thoughtful, and Sakumo had no idea how people claimed to see nothing of his mother in their cub. He shook his head, a fond smile tugging at his lips, despite the mischief that was sure to come of this lesson.

Chapter 181: Good Students Get Treats

Notes:

I believe this is the first time Anko has been mentioned since #21, and her first proper appearance in one of these stories at all. . . Koi made a comment and it sparked a thought and now there's a minific. As so often happens. (. . .more or less with the 'mini'. >.>)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Anko bit her lip and stepped through the gate, skipping lightly across the path in the pattern sensei had told her to use the day before. She grinned as she bounded up to the door unscathed - though she’d slipped a little and set off a trap, she’d ducked and wriggled out of it without being caught. She sniffed as she glanced back at the line of senbon embedded in the grass, then knocked at the door.

“Kakashi-san!” Anko blinked. He had opened the door almost immediately.

Kakashi hummed and raised a hand, flicking two fingers. “Anko-chan. . . Hello.”

“Ah- Sensei said to come over today! He said there was a surprise?” Anko was desperately curious, but no one got anything out of sensei before he was ready to share, so she’d snooped about but wasn’t surprised she hadn’t found anything.

Kakashi laughed softly and stepped aside, corners of his eyes crinkling. “Come inside. Mama’s in the kitchen.” he advised, and Anko nodded, stepping inside and then pulling up sharply. She coughed and bent to take off her sandals, then trotted after Kakashi.

She hesitated as she breathed and-

Dango?” Anko cried as she darted past Kakashi and through the door into what proved, unsurprisingly, to be the kitchen.

Sensei was standing at the counter, his back to the door, but he turned towards her with a smile. “Hello, Anko-chan. Yes, of course.” he gestured to a plate full of dango already on skewers with sticky, green-smudged fingers, and Anko gasped.

Sensei!” Anko crossed the kitchen in a blink. “Did you make-?” she asked, hesitating with her fingers just over the plate.

“Help yourself.” Sensei said, brushing his other hand over her head. “Yes. You’ve done very well recently, you deserve a treat.”

Anko grinned around a mouthful of dango. “Thank you sensei!”

Notes:

Oro made her botchan dango, rather than mitarashi dango (or anko dango, for that matter) because variety is a good thing. XP

Chapter 182: Contract Rules

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo nuzzled down the inside of his mate’s forearm with happy little rumbles, nipping and licking at the thin skin. He paused, then lapped over the thin red mark he had raised. “Lovely?”

Orochimaru responded with little more than a lazy murmur, stretching languidly, fingers curling and brushing over Sakumo’s shoulder. Sakumo shivered with pleasure and pressed a soft kiss to his mate’s skin.

“This is your summoning contract . . . seal . . . yes?” Sakumo asked, rubbing his thumb over one inked curve.

“Mm.” Orochimaru shifted a little more, turning his arm further outwards.

“. . .am I going to accidentally trigger it? And, say, bring your very grouchy living siege engine into,” Sakumo paused, glancing at his house, and revised, “crushing my home?”

Orochimaru was still for a moment, then laughed, head tipping back, fingers curling into Sakumo’s hair. Sakumo smiled slightly, pleased with his mate’s pleasure, whatever brought it, but whined curiously, nosing him.

“No, Sakumo.” Orochimaru said, voice warm with amusement. “Even if you draw blood and let it run over my skin,” he said, tracing Sakumo’s face with his fingertips, “if I don’t channel chakra to call him, Manda will not appear. None of them will.”

“Oh, good.” Sakumo said, then nipped Orochimaru’s arm. “I like my home.” he added, hoping to make Orochimaru laugh again and grinning when he smiled. “And I don’t think Manda likes me much.”

“Manda doesn’t like anyone very much.” Orochimaru said dryly.

“You?” Sakumo rubbed his cheek against Orochimaru’s forearm.

“Mm. And mother, once.” Orochimaru agreed, his smile turning a little melancholy. Sakumo frowned and moved up to nuzzle his face, pleased when his expression softened back into content warmth.

Notes:

Obviously the summoning has to be intentional to work, but, you know . . . good to be sure. No one wants to accidentally a Manda, ever.

Chapter 183: Stress Snake

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Kouyou glanced up absently as one of the librarians passed by him, but she didn’t pause, and she didn’t take any of the books from the stack he had gathered. He looked away again, eye caught before he could return his attention to his book by someone else studying at a nearby table.

Kouyou tipped his head down but kept his eyes on Orochimaru, curious. He knew the rumours about the Sannin, of course, and he knew what Sakumo had said about his new boyfriend, but rumours were more of a game than anything in a ninja village and Sakumo was smitten. It was sweet, but it meant his opinions were rather coloured by fondness.

Orochimaru had his head bowed over a very old scroll, but his hands were raised before him, moving restlessly. Kouyou wouldn’t have guessed he would be the type to fidget. It took Kouyou a few minutes longer to realise the small, dark shape he was pouring between his fingers was neither a weapon nor some kind of toy for the purpose, but a tiny, indigo-banded snake.

Kouyou choked, fingers tightening on his book. Yes, Orochimaru was the Snake Sannin, but he was using a mountain-banded krait as a stress toy. He didn’t even appear to be paying attention to the small snake in his hands as it tumbled back and forth, occasionally winding around his long fingers.

Kouyou kept trying to drag his attention back to his own research, but- but he was caught by the sight and couldn’t look away. He realised, belatedly, as he watched that the faint sound just at the edge of his hearing was . . . the snake? Hissing softly in little gleeful swoops as it slithered and rolled from one palm to the other with each absent gesture.

Notes:

I made up the mountain-banded krait - must be a ninja world species - but kraits are among some of the deadliest snakes in our world, with neurotoxic venom.

Orochimaru's snakes love their summoner~ I'm sure the little ones squabbled over who got to come to the library with him today. ;)

Chapter 184: Comrades

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru’s breath caught and the world stood still for a fraction of a heartbeat. Shock, he thought faintly, before everything surged into motion once more. This time it was painted with the sharp edges of fury, and Orochimaru didn’t moderate his own attacks.

Sakumo choked, blood bubbling worryingly from the wound across his ribs. It had driven deep enough, then, to nick a lung, at least. Orochimaru hissed and called up Dakon, who required no instruction to strike out after the last few enemy nin. Orochimaru ignored the other Konoha nin who had been with them. He was still in one piece - thanks only to Sakumo, the idiot - and he could see to himself.

“You thoughtless fool!” Orochimaru hissed as he dropped to his knees, splaying a hand over Sakumo’s ribs and feeling the heat of his blood as it spilt. “This won’t be pleasant.” he snapped.

“Lovely, you-” Sakumo’s lightly teasing words cut off with a low, bitten-off cry that rumbled with a snarl, but he didn’t fight, not with chakra and not by moving. Orochimaru stroked his arm and pushed another wave of chakra into his mate’s body, forcing it into the unfamiliar and unsuited patterns of iryou jutsu.

“Hatake-san! Orochimaru-sama, will he-”

Go scout.” Orochimaru ordered harshly. “Make yourself useful somehow.”

The man faltered but was gone obediently a moment later. “Unkind, lovely.” Sakumo wheezed, and Orochimaru narrowed his eyes. Sakumo whined in a capitulatory manner and kept his mouth closed.

“You’re the only one who ever seems to expect kindness of me.” Orochimaru said dryly. “Idiot. Why did you throw yourself-” He broke off and took a breath, patting Sakumo’s chest lightly. “No, no. Don’t.” he said without looking his mate in the face again. “I know.”

Sakumo had been looking out for a comrade, even when that comrade was a fool who would have been dead thrice over on this mission if not for Sakumo’s and Orochimaru’s actions. Orochimaru wouldn’t disapprove, save that if Sakumo were only a little less tough it would have been bought at the price of his own life.

Knowing his wolf would likely still have chosen to save their comrade was not soothing Orochimaru’s temper, and he fought to wrestle it back under control.

“They’re all dead, summoner. Anything else for me to do before I eat?” Dakon asked, nosing his shoulder, and Orochimaru snorted, running a hand over his horned head. He nudged into it with pleasure, eyes sharp and tongue flicking.

“No. Thank you.” Orochimaru stroked down by his eye as his tongue flicked curiously. “Take yourself home when you’ve eaten.”

He hissed agreement and slithered off among the enemy nin again. His father would have cleared the small field of battle and still been hungry - and so would Dakon, one day - but Dakon would no doubt choose one or two smaller nin and then return home to sleep off his gorging.

Notes:

Dakon, is, of course, one of Manda's hatchlings. (A Mandette, if you will.)

Chapter 185: Kakashi vs Roses

Chapter Text

Sakumo paused, wrapping his hands more securely around his mate’s wrists and pulling his hands away to inspect them by eye. Orochimaru sighed, looking away, and Sakumo brushed a gentle kiss to one of the scabbed gouges in a slender fingertip.

Orochimaru’s fingers flexed. Sakumo kissed another fingertip. “What happened, lovely?” he asked, voice low, eyes rising to his mate’s face.

Orochimaru huffed softly, lips quirking. “Our cubling tumbled into a rosebush. And got stuck there.” he said, and Sakumo’s eyes widened.

“He-” Sakumo’s grip on Orochimaru’s wrists shifted.

“He was beginning to fight before I stepped in,” Orochimaru said dryly, “but I think both he and the bush would have come out of it somewhat the worse for wear.”

“No doubt.” Sakumo said, trying to stifle his laughter. “I’m sorry, lovely. Is Kakashi all right?”

“A little scratched up, nothing serious.” Orochimaru said, flicking his fingers dismissively.

Sakumo shook his head and brought his mate’s hands close once more, nuzzling gently into the space between them and kissing each of the little wounds they bore.

Chapter 186: Wolfcub in Toad-wings

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Kashi-kun. . .” Jiraiya called, looking around, smothering the sparks of anxiety. “Come on, kiddo, not playing hide and seek, I promised-” He yelped as something yanked at his feathers, then quieted, wincing, even as the pull grew heavier.

He tilted his head and peered around his own shoulder and the crest of one wing, wings arching a little. A tousled little head of silver hair was clambering up between his wings, hands clutching in his feathers. Kakashi looked up at him with a fangy grin.

Jiraiya shook his head slightly, smiling, and arched his wings a little more, letting Kakashi haul himself up between them until he was settled right between their bases. One hand was buried in Jiraiya’s feathers, and the other was curled in his shirt.

“Comfy enough there, kiddo?” Jiraiya asked dryly.

“Your wings are even bigger than Daddy’s! Aren’t they?” Kakashi asked, burrowing between the feathers with a little puppyish - wolfish - sound, eyes half closed.

Jiraiya chuckled and fluffed his feathers - though they weren’t in the best shape at the moment, sadly - pulling his wings back and towards each other. Kakashi let out a little high-pitched yip that had taken weeks of patient, amused reminders from Orochimaru to settle in Jiraiya’s head as a happy sound from his nephew.

Jiraiya grinned and peeked around at him again, a little awkwardly, and found him mostly buried in disarrayed feathers, giggling and wriggling. Jiraiya could feel him there, but he wasn’t slipping, so well enough. “My wings are bigger than most people’s.” Jiraiya advised his nephew, bouncing a little in place and then beginning to walk.

Kakashi giggled a bit more and nestled in against his back, tugging a little at his hair, though this one seemed to be incidental. “Where are we going, oji-gama?”

Jiraiya huffed a little and shook himself - careful to keep his wings folded back around his nephew, cradling him safely on Jiraiya’s back if he lost his grip. “It’s a surprise.” he said loftily, and Kakashi squirmed and yipped again and didn’t continue asking.

Particularly fortunate as ‘surprise’ meant Jiraiya hoped to figure that out whilst they were at the park and Kakashi was distracted, in this case.

Notes:

Particularly after the Happy News arc a bit of Good Uncle Toad has been tempting (even if he's also rather flailtoad).

Chapter 187: Help (putting things right)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Wolf-heart.”

Sakumo turned over, groaning a little. “Lovely? What is it?”

“I need your help with something. I’ve left Nori with Kakashi, will you come with me?” Orochimaru asked. He still hadn’t come any further than the bedroom doorway.

Orochimaru had been acting . . . very strangely lately, but. . . “Of course, lovely. Shall I summon Yura as well?” he asked, climbing to his feet and moving to dress.

Orochimaru’s breath caught with a little hitching sound. Sakumo went to him, still only half-dressed. “Lovely?” He smoothed his hands over Orochimaru’s side and frowned, worried, as he caught a glitter in his mate’s eyes. Orochimaru . . . rarely cried. Sakumo could think of perhaps half a dozen times he had seen tears in his mate’s eyes before, including on a battlefield over one of his best friends he thought had died, and in their home the day they had been able to confirm he was pregnant with Kakashi. “Are you all right?”

Orochimaru took a breath, then kissed his cheek. “I love you. Thank you. Come, and- Yes, I think perhaps if you would, calling Yura to watch over Kakashi as well would be wise.”

Sakumo nodded and stroked Orochimaru’s cheek before pulling away. He dressed quickly, then summoned Yura, who was curious but accepted that there would be no answers yet offered and went to Kakashi’s room readily enough.

Their cub well looked after, Sakumo followed his mate out of the house silently.

Chapter 188: What (putting things right)

Chapter Text

“What are we doing, lovely, incidentally?” Sakumo asked as Orochimaru paused, keeping close.

Orochimaru glanced at him and brushed his fingertips over the inside of Sakumo’s wrist. “Kidnapping. Approximately a dozen infants.” he said simply.

Sakumo’s eyes widened and he found himself almost without words for a moment. “. . .I assume there is more to it than that?” he asked weakly.

Orochimaru hummed, beginning to move again, and Sakumo continued to shadow him, mind whirling. “Approximately?” he quoted.

“It will depend,” Orochimaru said, and stopped more abruptly this time, breath catching with a rather pained little sound, “whether any more of them have died from unregulated chakra expression since I left the facility earlier.”

What.” Sakumo demanded, almost a snarl, and Orochimaru relaxed slightly, leaning into him.

Sakumo rubbed a hand over his mate’s side, feeling Orochimaru shaking faintly.

“That . . . would be why we are stealing them.” Orochimaru said softly, pressing close to Sakumo and hiding his face against Sakumo’s cheek and hair. “If you’ll help me.”

Sakumo thought rapidly, but- But this was his mate, and he trusted Orochimaru, no matter how strange he had been over the past months. “Of course, lovely. Will you . . . tell me more, when we have?” he asked quietly.

Orochimaru kissed his cheek. “I’ll tell you everything. Hang Danzou and his orders.” he said softly, and turned away with a flicker of silky hair across Sakumo’s neck.

Sakumo only had more questions now, but he didn’t ask, following Orochimaru as he began to pick up speed, crossing the village.

Chapter 189: Pantry Imperfections

Chapter Text

“Kakashi. Precious. Why are there seven rabbits in the pantry?”

Mama.” Kakashi whined by rote at the old petname, which was a little much for him these days, and Mama arched an eyebrow at him, closing the pantry once more. “Ah. . . They . . . weren’t good enough. Perfect.” he admitted, biting his lip.

Mama glanced back at the closed door, then met his gaze again. “They seem fine to me. And you’ve put them in the pantry.” he added leadingly.

Kakashi cleared his throat, flushing.

“What do you need a perfect rabbit for?” Mama asked, moving closer. He reached up and ruffled Kakashi’s fringe with a light touch. “Mm?”

Kakashi whined again and ducked his head, and Mama scratched the nape of his neck instead. “I. . .” he began, then paused, licking his lips. “A present.”

“Mm. . .” Mama prompted, cupping Kakashi’s jaw and tilting his head up again. “For whom?”

“Ah. . . Uchiha Shisui.” Kakashi admitted, meeting Mama’s eyes hesitantly.

Mama smiled slightly, sharp and sure. “Is my vipercub courting?”

“Not a cub.” Kakashi said weakly, looking away.

“You will be cub to your father until you can win one of your scuffles properly and pin him . . . and probably forever,” Mama said, and Kakashi huffed, “and you will always be my hatchlingcub. I carried you for the better part of a year. You may be grown now,” he cupped Kakashi’s cheek, “however. . .” Kakashi nuzzled Mama’s palm, smiling fondly at him, and he smiled and fell silent.

“Courting?” Mama prompted after a moment, and Kakashi sighed, slouching into a chair at the kitchen table.

“I. . .” He ducked his head. “I hope so.” he admitted. “He’s . . . fast and he’s sweet and he’s the one that teaches his younger cousins and he plays with me when we spar and. . .” Kakashi looked up at his mother. “I really like him.”

“I should hope so; how long did you spend trying to find the perfect rabbit?” Mama teased gently, ruffling Kakashi’s hair.

Kakashi laughed, propping his elbow on the table. “Not that long.” he denied. “Rabbits are quick but I’ve been doing this a long time, Mama.”

Chapter 190: Empty Den (howls and home)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo tilted his head back, fur gleaming in the moonlight, and howled, long and low.

Orochimaru watched him from nearer the house, a cup of tea in his hands. Sakumo kept calling out, voice a wavering, eerie echo. Orochimaru took a sip of tea, then sighed, approaching his mate and running his fingers lightly through Sakumo’s thick fur up to the back of his neck.

He lowered his head and looked at Orochimaru, a little mournful, and Orochimaru shook his head, stepping closer and tugging until Sakumo’s head leaned against his ribs. “Do you really want him to howl back, or do you just miss him?” he asked, rubbing one of Sakumo’s ears.

Sakumo sighed heavily, leaning into Orochimaru a little more, then lifted his head and licked Orochimaru’s chin. He hummed, stroking down Sakumo’s neck, and met his eyes.

Sakumo’s ears flicked forwards and he nosed Orochimaru’s collarbone.

“I’m sure he’s fine.” Orochimaru said, looking out at the forest that came up to the edge of their compound, thoughts wandering past the village walls somewhere beyond and further, out to the unsettled parts of Hi no Kuni, where their cubling was roaming with his team.

Sakumo huffed another breath and leaned so heavily against Orochimaru that he was nearly knocked off his feet.

“You’re going to get tea on your head.” Orochimaru warned, but he was already shifting away a little, kneeling on the ground and putting his tea aside. He opened his arms and Sakumo pounced - gently, but still enough to knock the wind out of Orochimaru before snuggling into him bodily.

Orochimaru hugged his mate, fingers winding into his fur, and thought of their cubling, half-grown and clever and strong, and reminded himself that Kakashi would be fine.

Chapter 191: Road Home (howls and home)

Notes:

previous in arc

 

 

I hadn't originally planned a followup for yesterday's, but once I started getting comments on it. . . Well.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo stood straight, eyes fixed on the road into the village. He’d just come back in himself, and Orochimaru had come to meet him . . . and now he was too drawn to the open road leading up to the gates to want to leave.

“Oh, go on and howl for him, wolf-heart.” Orochimaru said softly, brushing the backs of his fingers over Sakumo’s cheek. Kakashi was due back this morning, and at the levels of missions his team of genin should be taking. . .

Sakumo smiled at Orochimaru a little sheepishly, bit his lip, then took a deep breath.


Kakashi grinned as a long, wavering howl reached him from home, bouncing a bit on his heels.

“What was that?”

“A wolf, but. . .”

“Kakashi-kun?” Minato-sensei questioned, resting a hand on his shoulder. “You recognise that?”

“Dad!” Kakashi said, snorting.

“Your father is howling?” Minato-sensei looked briefly bemused, then concerned. “Kakashi-kun-”

Kakashi was already trotting forwards a short ways away from his sensei and teammates to bound up to the top of a large rock by the road. He tilted his head back and howled in answer, laughing happily when Dad’s voice cut out and returned at a different pitch.

“Is everything all right, Kakashi-kun?” Minato-sensei asked from the road below.

“Dad just wants me home.” Kakashi said, hopping down and falling into step with his team once more, though his heart beat a little quicker and he had to struggle not to run for the village, now.

Kakashi hadn’t . . . quite realised how much he had missed his pack for the week he had been on a mission with his team.

Chapter 192: At the Gates (howls and home)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru ran his fingers idly through Sakumo’s hair, sitting on a rock within sight of the gates with his mate on the grass below. After the higher pitched, softer wavering howl in response, of course there was no way they were going to return home until their cubling had met them here as well.

Orochimaru suspected it wouldn’t be long now, in any case. Kakashi might not be quite as eager to be home as Sakumo was to have him back - as they both were - but-

Orochimaru smiled as Kakashi came into view, his sensei barely a step behind and his two other teammates trailing along another step or two back at his side. Kakashi yowled and burst into a run, and Sakumo lunged to his feet as Orochimaru slid off the rock.

Kakashi might have greeted them in words when he reached them, but if he had it was lost in yips and growls and the muffling effect of being crushed into his father’s chest. Orochimaru laughed and slid a hand over Sakumo’s shoulder.

“Welcome home, little one.” Orochimaru said softly, hand straying down Kakashi’s back.

Kakashi thumped into him and squeezed him around the waist, and Orochimaru returned the embrace. “-glad to be home.” he said, still mostly muffled, and Orochimaru squeezed the nape of his neck affectionately. He tilted his head back. “Were you waiting? Are we going home?”

“You should report in with your team.” Sakumo nodded towards where they were now waiting not far off, unable to quite quash his grin, and ruffled Kakashi’s hair. “We’ll meet you at home in a bit, cub.”

“Your father only just got in himself.” Orochimaru put in before Kakashi could respond. “We’ll all catch up at home later, right?”

Kakashi fidgeted, then nodded, nuzzling into Orochimaru’s side and then stepping back and returning to his sensei, who had been watching with a smile and welcomed him back with a light touch to one shoulder.

Chapter 193: Games (Chasing Games)

Notes:

This is the Sakumo side of a story posted in my TobIndra collection yesterday, Chasing Games.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo skidded a bit as he rounded a large rock, but he didn’t let it keep him from pouncing, as it carried him within range of the shimmery bird as it kept running. It shrieked and kept running, and Sakumo huffed and kept after it with the mouthful of tail feathers that was all he’d managed to catch.

The bird ran . . . right up onto an engawa, and Sakumo was a little surprised, but not as much as when it shrieked for help in words. He skidded to a stop and blinked, trying to make sense of it, even as a tall man stepped outside and collected the bird.

He had white hair like Mama, and he was calm even as he stepped down and addressed Sakumo, and even introduced the bird cradled in his arms. The bird didn’t seem to like it very much, but Sakumo had caught his tail feathers, he guessed it wouldn’t be very happy for a while.

Sakumo frowned. “The snake boy likes it when I chase him though?” he asked uncertainly, because he understood the concept that Tobirama-sama explained, that chasing things that could talk was not good, but it made Orochimaru smile and sometimes he would giggle when Sakumo caught him.

Sometimes Sakumo only thought he’d caught the snake boy, and instead would find himself tumbled across the ground and pinned under a slight weight and a smug grin. He liked that, too.

“Games are different, little one.” Tobirama-sama said, with a little rumbling sound of amusement. And everyone needs to know they are games . . . and be enjoying themselves.” he added as the bird in his arms shrieked.

Sakumo nodded. That made sense. Orochimaru always enjoyed playing with him, but at first he had been angry when Sakumo tried to stalk him, and his acid-sharp scent had been bitter and sour.

Sakumo stiffened, cocking his head. Papa was calling for him, back at home. Sakumo rose and looked back at Tobirama-sama and his bird, apologising before he ran for home.

Chapter 194: Feral Families (Chasing Games)

Chapter Text

Sakumo perked, tilting his head up and sniffing. He abandoned the trail he had been ferreting out and slunk through the brush, scrupulously silent. He circled the new target, carefully angling to where he could pounce his prey without catching the mother. . .

Sakumo lunged from his concealment, and his prey twisted to face him, stance shifting, but not in enough time to prevent Sakumo catching him. Sakumo tumbled them both to the ground, careful not to pin too hard, and yipped as he wound up on his back looking up at a sharp grin and gleaming golden eyes.

“Oro!” Sakumo barked happily, wriggling to free his arms and reaching up.

Orochimaru sniffed and let go, laughing softly as Sakumo caught hold of him, sitting up and nuzzling his shoulder. “Wolf.” Orochimaru said, fingers running lightly over his arm.

“You’re sure you don’t mind?” Orochimaru’s Mama was saying to Sakumo’s own Papa. “I had hoped- But for a few days, at least, until my mate is due home. . .”

“We’ll be fine together. As long as Orochi-kun is happy to stay with us, we don’t mind looking after him, you know that.” Papa said, and Sakumo grinned, looking back at Orochimaru. He smiled slightly in return, almost shy. Sakumo whined happily and pressed his nose to Orochimaru’s cheek as their parents continued talking.

“Orochimaru,” Orochimaru’s Mama opened her arms and Sakumo dropped his hold on his friend as he pulled away and went to them, “just as we discussed, I’m going to be gone on a mission, and the Hatake are going to look after you until your father returns, all right, precious?”

“Yes, Mama.” Orochimaru dipped his head, then hummed as his Mama swept him into tight embrace. “Be safe.” he said softly against her shoulder.

“I will.” She kissed his brow. “Be clever, precious.”

“Yes, Mama.” Orochimaru said again, hugging her tighter, then moved back. She ran a hand through his silky hair and cupped his cheek, then stepped away, and a few moments later she was gone.

Orochimaru was still looking after her, and Sakumo edged over and pressed comfortingly against his side. He looked up, and Sakumo tilted his head and whined softly, nudging closer.

Orochimaru sighed, the uneasy look on his face softening, and pressed into Sakumo in return.

Chapter 195: Nephew

Chapter Text

“What’s that?”

Minato sighed, and- “It’s a baby.” Tekouru, who had three younger siblings, said in the most impatient tones Minato had ever heard from him. Minato stifled a laugh.

“This is my nephew, Kakashi-chan!” Jiraiya-sensei said, smiling. He looked down at the baby and winced. “Ah . . . his parents both had to go out of the village today, my best friend in a bit of a rush, so they asked me to watch him for a few hours.”

“That’s . . . cool?” Gintaka said uncertainly, his own face screwing up.

“He is the reason that I took you all on.” Jiraiya-sensei said, cradling the baby a little higher. He woke up, waving his fists. “I . . . decided to try being a jounin-sensei after he was born.”

“We’re not babies!” Gintaka snapped, and Minato kicked his ankle, scowling back at him.

“May I hold him?” Minato asked, stretching up and looking past fluffy silver hair to curious blue-grey eyes and a button nose. He smiled and Kakashi wriggled, opening his hands and waving them a little more.

“So what are we doing today?” Tekouru asked over whatever Gintaka was building up to say.

“Working on those exercises I showed you yesterday, Minato’s the only one who got them down yet,” Jiraiya-sensei said, “Minato, ah. . .”

“I helped with the littlest ones at the orphanage.” Minato offered, and Jiraiya-sensei hummed.

“Be careful. Ah. . . Don’t let him bite you.” Jiraiya-sensei said, settling him into Minato’s arms, and Minato went still, blinking up at his sensei. “Just- Trust me.”

“Jiraiya-sensei, he shouldn’t even have-” Minato’s eyes widened as the baby made a soft whining sound and showed very sharp little teeth. “Oh.

Jiraiya-sensei huffed a laugh and nodded. “Yes, it’s-”

“White hair? Are you sure he’s your nephew, Jiraiya-sensei?” Gintaka laughed. “Sure your best friend’s wife wasn’t your-”

Gintaka!” Jiraiya-sensei bellowed, and the baby barked.

Minato looked down at him, then up. “Is- Is your friend Hatake-sama?” he asked, cradling Kakashi against his chest and tickling the baby’s cheek.

“My best friend is Orochimaru, but his husband is,” Jiraiya-sensei paused, with another little laugh, “Hatake-sama, yes. Minato-kun, are you all right with him while I get your teammates started?”

Minato grinned and nodded, bouncing Kakashi gently.

Chapter 196: Tracking Lesson

Chapter Text

Sakumo hid a smile at the quizzical look on his cub’s face as Kakashi stopped and tilted his head, then looked up at Sakumo. “Daddy. . .”

“Yes, cub?” Sakumo asked.

“Where Mama?” Kakashi asked, curling his fingers into Sakumo’s pants and tugging.

Sakumo smiled softly. “I don’t know. Where do you think Mama is?” he asked.

Kakashi looked at him, squirming. “. . .Mama?”

“Why don’t you follow,” Sakumo gently tapped Kakashi’s nose, “your little wolfy nose, cub? Where’s Mama?”

Kakashi whined and wriggled, tilting his head and sniffing great lungfuls of air. He went still with his nose twitching, and had he been a true wolf his tail would clearly have been wagging.

He bounded off in slightly clumsy wobbles, and Sakumo strode carefully after him.

Kakashi went right into the tall plants without hesitation, sniffing and wavering back and forth from time to time, and Sakumo kept pace only a few steps behind.

“Mama!” Kakashi barked suddenly, and disappeared in a flurry of pale purple flowers and tall stalks.

Orochimaru laughed, happy and surprised. “Hatchlingcub!”

Sakumo took the handful of strides further to reach them and found Orochimaru lying on his back amongst the lavender with Kakashi on his chest, wriggling in his arms. He was crooning contentedly, long fingers running through Kakashi’s hair.

Sakumo smiled at them, heart warm.

Chapter 197: Impermanence

Chapter Text

Sakumo nuzzled Kakashi’s hair, then kissed Orochimaru’s cheek as he straightened. He moved to collect the dishes from their lunch back onto the tray and carried them off to the kitchen, the door shushing quietly as he closed it.

Kakashi squirmed and whined, and Orochimaru picked him up with a soothing croon, rocking him. Kakashi’s fingers caught in Orochimaru’s sleeve and clung as he kicked. He began to cry, little howling gasps.

Orochimaru hummed softly, rocking his son and cradling him close. “There there,” he soothed, “I know this is difficult for you,” he said, stroking Kakashi’s hair and down his round cheek, “because you haven’t developed object permanence yet, but your father hasn’t disappeared, I promise, cubling, he only closed the door. He’ll be back.”

Kakashi gasped and choked, and Orochimaru wiped his nose, tutting at him. “There, you see? You can breathe, it’s all right.”

Kakashi calmed a little, and Orochimaru wiped his nose again. He nestled against Orochimaru’s chest, making curious snuffling noises as Orochimaru crooned again.

The door opened and Sakumo returned with a pot of tea. “Aw, what’s wrong, cub?” he asked in a silly tone as he knelt.

Orochimaru stifled a laugh. “Daddy disappeared. It was most distressing.” he supplied, sliding Kakashi into his father’s arms.

Sakumo looked up, surprised. Orochimaru smiled and stroked his face, leaning in over their son and resting his brow against his mate’s.

Chapter 198: Patience

Chapter Text

Sakumo groaned as elegant fingers ran over his arm and up towards his shoulder, leaning forwards obligingly. Orochimaru scrubbed the soapy cloth in languid circles and moved higher with every pass, sweat and dirt and blood - little of it Sakumo’s own - dissolving and drifting away beneath his gentle attention.

He moved closer as he continued, to reach more easily, making the hot water ripple around them; Sakumo’s blood was running hotter now as well. A single loose lock of Orochimaru’s hair fell forwards past his jaw and almost across Sakumo’s face, bringing the sharply acidic, familiar smell of his mate to his nose, mingled with the water and soap.

“Bend; wet your hair so I can get that as well.” Orochimaru murmured, and Sakumo obeyed, sliding lower in the bath and soaking his hair, then coming up again with a shiver of pleasure and arousal. Orochimaru’s fingers ran through his fringe, then further back, combing through the thick strands.

Then he withdrew his hands and tipped shampoo into his palm before returning them to Sakumo’s hair, moving closer still, his knee between Sakumo’s legs, leaning in until their chests almost brushed. Sakumo bit his lip, cock throbbing, and resisted the urge to grab slim hips and pull, to bring his mate close and rut against his lean thigh.

Sakumo sighed, then breathed in, eyes closed, basking in the beloved and reassuring scent as he did in the warm, gentle touch of hands on him, working through his hair.

“Patience.” Orochimaru murmured, his voice low and warm. Sakumo tilted his head up and opened his eyes, a curious sound in his throat. Orochimaru smiled. “Patience . . . and then you can have me. Here, if you like.” he said, almost teasing, but steady and warm as he settled lower in the bath, his skin sliding against Sakumo’s cock - and the head of his own brushing Sakumo’s stomach ever so lightly.

Sakumo growled softly and nudged his head into his mate’s hands, and Orochimaru kissed Sakumo’s brow and resumed his task, keeping the same steady pace.

Chapter 199: Brushing

Chapter Text

“Really?” Orochimaru asked, lips quirking.

Sakumo whined softly, inching a little closer still on his belly, nose nudging against Orochimaru’s thigh. Orochimaru smiled a little more and ran his fingers through his mate’s thick fur from just behind his ears on downwards.

Sakumo sighed contentedly at the touch, letting his head slide across Orochimaru’s legs, ears flicking. Orochimaru leaned over him and retrieved the broad-headed brush, scratching lightly beneath his fur.

Sakumo sprawled out eagerly as Orochimaru raised the brush, and he laughed softly, running it through Sakumo’s ruff and over his shoulder. Sakumo rumbled happily, stretching, toes splaying out as he braced his paws.

Orochimaru bent and nuzzled into Sakumo’s fur, then shifted them both a little as he straightened again. Sakumo moved easily, despite his bulk, and he all but melted as Orochimaru brushed out his fur - coming out with drifts of silvery-white fluff caught on the bristles.

Sakumo’s tail swept back and forth from time to time, and he snuffled against Orochimaru’s stomach, basking in the attention. Orochimaru hummed, pausing to rub along the side of one ear and laughing as Sakumo shivered and pushed his head into the touch with a happy groan.

Chapter 200: New Otouto

Notes:

All of the family of little ones for #200 here. . . ^.^

Chapter Text

Minato straightened up a little, surprised, and looked towards the house, from which was emanating a small, warbling howl . . . and another that was higher pitched and rather less steady. He dusted his hands off and picked up the basket, letting himself out of the chicken coop and locking it securely behind him as he went.

Stepping inside didn’t offer any clarification, though nothing seemed to be wrong, at least. Minato tilted his head, setting the basket of eggs aside, and stepped closer.

Orochimaru was lying back on the couch, one hand over his face, seemingly smothering the laughter making him shake slightly. Kakashi and Tenzou were both crouched close around him and . . . howling at his stomach?

“What. . .”

“I was talking to the cub.” Sakumo said, resting a hand on Minato’s shoulder and laughing softly. “The cubs wanted to know what I was doing, and now . . . Kakashi is trying to make sure their new sibling will know their pack before they are born.”

Minato bit his lip, grinning, and watched the little ones. Kakashi snuffled against Orochimaru’s side and he ran his fingers through Kakashi’s hair. Tenzou gave howling another game try, then sighed and flopped over on his mother, pouting a little.

“Minato-nii!” Kakashi barked, and Minato raised his eyebrows. “Otouto needs to know pack!”

“So I heard.” Minato said, amused.

Kakashi just looked at him for a moment, then huffed, an exaggerated, miniature version of Orochimaru’s stinging impatience. “Well? Come say hello! You have to howl too!”

Minato’s eyes widened. “I-”

Sakumo nudged him forwards, and Minato glanced at him, then grinned and crossed the room. Orochimaru smiled at him as he knelt by the couch, and Minato hummed and tentatively rested a hand on Orochimaru’s stomach. “Hello little one.” he said without thinking, and- You’re going to be born into the best family, I’m so happy for you.

A warm brush through his hair made him look up, and he found Orochimaru’s eyes on him, warm and fond. Minato relaxed and leaned a little closer, and Orochimaru cupped his cheek.

“Minato-nii!” Kakashi scolded, and Minato jumped. “You have to howl! Otouto is all the way in Mama! Have to hear!”

“Erm. . .” Minato looked at Kakashi’s expectant face, and Tenzou watching him sleepily but with equal expectance, then up at Orochimaru, who arched a brow. He shifted and took a hitching breath, then a deeper one. “Aaawoooo. . .” he tried, flushing as he broke off awkwardly.

“Oh dear. Why have we never taught him to howl?” Sakumo said quietly as he came nearer, passing by Minato with a brush of his hand over Minato’s shoulder, and he flushed deeper, ducking his head.

“Howling is your department, wolf-heart.” Orochimaru said, ruffling Minato’s hair, and Sakumo hummed. “I told you, precious,” he added, reaching out and stroking Kakashi’s jaw, “your otouto can hear you just fine when you’re up close. Your brother can talk to him.”

Chapter 201: Welcome (morning spar)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Ah, hello, Gai-kun.”

“Good morning, Orochimaru-sama!” Gai said brightly, bowing. “I am sorry to disturb you!”

“Yes, good morning.” Orochimaru stifled a yawn in one hand. “No trouble. Come in.”

“Thank you, Orochimaru-sama!” Gai grinned at his best friend’s mother, bouncing on his heels as he stepped into the house.

“You needn’t address me so formally.” Orochimaru said sleepily, once again, though he didn’t look terribly surprised when Gai shook his head firmly. “Ah yes, as you will. You’ll have to wake Kakashi if you want him, of course.” He gestured absently in the direction of Kakashi’s room. “I will have breakfast for the both of you when you’ve finished.”

“Thank you, Orochimaru-sama!” Gai called as he trotted off to wake his best friend. “Oh! I am sorry, Sakumo-sama! I did not realise you had returned.” Gai ducked his head apologetically, coming up short just before he would have run into Sakumo outside his own bedroom door.

Sakumo yawned. “I was already awake.” he said, smiling. “My mate got up. Kakashi is not. Enjoy.” He laughed as he walked away, patting Gai’s shoulder.

He grinned - he always felt welcome here, greeted with warmth; it was a feeling Gai appreciated most thoroughly - then went to roust Kakashi from his sleep.

Chapter 202: Disturbance (morning spar)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Ah! Hello!” Gai grinned at the snake who had suddenly risen as he opened the door and was now staring him in the face. “I shall best you for the right to disturb my rival!”

Karei swayed back and forth a little, then dipped her head. “I don’t spar with you.” she said, coiling back onto the floor, and gaped her inky black jaw in something that looked much like a grin. Gai wasn’t sure if it was or not, and had never quite wanted to ask. It seemed rude. “Go on and disturb him if you wish.”

Gai dipped his head to her politely, then slid the door the rest of the way open. “Rival! Kakashi!” he cried, and Kakashi groaned, rolling over to turn his back to Gai and dragging his blanket further over himself. “If you will not rise, I will remove you myself!”

Kakashi grumbled wordlessly, as though still trying to remain in sleep’s clutches.

Gai narrowed his eyes and rushed towards his friend, then yelled in delighted surprise as Kakashi pounced, the blanket flung aside as Kakashi hit Gai, and then they both hit the floor. Kakashi eeled sideways as Gai punched lazily at his ribs, and deflected the less lazy blow at his kidney with one arm, fingers closing tight around Gai’s wrist.

“Karei-chan, why won’t you deal with disturbances for me?” Kakashi whined, cocking his head and looking off at his snake even as he twisted Gai’s arm. “Aren’t I a good summoner? Don’t I deserve help?”

“I’ll help when you have a problem.” Karei said with a soft, amused hiss, slithering nearer and sliding over Kakashi’s calf. “This isn’t a problem. Loud and irritating,” Karei sniffed, “but not a problem.”

Gai grinned, then bucked to throw Kakashi off, though he kept hold of Gai’s wrist as he went, snapping it backwards at a painful angle. Gai winced but was already moving to pin Kakashi where he had landed on the floor.

“Not in the house!” Sakumo reminded at an easy yell, and Gai stopped himself so suddenly he skidded uncomfortably on one knee.

“Yeah, Gai,” Kakashi grinned, “not in the house.”

I am sleeping, in any case. Take yourselves elsewhere.” Karei sniffed. “Wake me if there are eggs.” she added even as she nestled her head deeper in her silvery, violet-sheened coils, closing her eyes.

Notes:

Karei is a black mamba (and yes, even real world black mambas come in a purple sheen variety over their silvery grey or tan scales) and her name is written with characters that read 'splendour'.

next in arc

Chapter 203: Advice (morning spar)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Kakashi shouldered Gai companionably and smiled as he led the way out into the back garden, to the clear space left for sparring or other exercises. Kakashi folded himself into a sinuous stretch that possibly would have required breaking something on someone else, humming sleepily and closing his eyes.

Gai had done his own warm-up stretches before he went on his morning run, which he had ended here, but he bent and followed suit, if to slightly less extreme degree. Gai was flexible - far more so than many people assumed, for some reason - but he suspected that there was a degree of flexibility Kakashi had inherited from his mother that was simply unattainable without the quirks of that bloodline.

Kakashi untwisted himself backwards rather than simply reversing the stretch, and lounged across the grass, yawning, his eyes still closed. Gai eyed him for a moment, then shifted into a different stretch himself, humming.

A third shift brought one leg beneath him in a crouch, the other outstretched, and in moments more he was driving an elbow into the dirt where Kakashi had been lying. Gai huffed, grinning, as he turned and dodged a return blow, sweeping Kakashi’s feet from beneath him.

He landed in an easy roll and was up in half a breath, aiming a strike for Gai’s face and nearly catching him in the shoulder with another when he dodged it. Gai circled him, alert, blood rushing with adrenaline and excitement as they traded blows and tumbled together across the grass, struggling together and retreating from one another again.

Gai was startled into a laugh when one of the wolves started calling advice - to both of them in turn - from her place lounging on the engawa, watching over them. He listened, though, as did Kakashi. The wolves had been partnered with Sakumo for a long time, and their assessments and advice were usually good if they chose to share.

Chapter 204: Family Breakfast (morning spar)

Chapter Text

Gai trailed Kakashi into the bathing room, both of them sweaty, mussed, and out of breath, and Kakashi’s sleeping yukata perhaps rather the worse for wear for being used as sparring gear. Gai apologised, and Kakashi only laughed softly and bumped their shoulders together, dipping his head and butting his brow against Gai’s gently.

Gai smiled, leaning into him in return for a moment.

Then they pulled apart and washed up, Gai’s breathing already returned to normal after the spar and his heartrate at least beginning to follow suit. He was straightening his hair in the mirror when a yukata hit him in the face and Kakashi snickered.

Gai looked at his friend, holding the yukata, and blinked. Kakashi wrapped a fresh yukata around himself, winding the obi neatly. “You’re not putting that back on after you’ve just washed, are you?” he asked, tilting his chin towards Gai’s jumpsuit.

Gai frowned, but shook his head and put on the offered alternative instead. Kakashi passed behind him, running a hand across his shoulders, and slipped out, probably heading towards the kitchen.

Gai followed after only a few moments, but he had to pause in the kitchen doorway.

Kakashi was lounging at the table with Karei wrapped around his shoulders and chest, a cup of tea in his hands. Orochimaru was feeding bits of egg to a rather larger snake stretched along the back of the counter. There was egg and rice, fish and miso, tsukemono and natto, which Gai liked but knew no one here particularly cared for at breakfast, set out on the table. Sakumo poured another cup of tea and looked up at Gai with a smile as he pushed it to the empty space around the corner from Kakashi.

Gai swallowed and then smiled back, making his way to his seat. Karei was complaining that she didn’t have any egg yet, and Kakashi was crooning to her affectionately as he reached for the miso.

Gai started to serve himself breakfast as Sakumo asked how their sparring had gone.

Chapter 205: Important Meeting

Chapter Text

“Are you sure you’re ready for this?” Orochimaru asked cautiously, resting a hand on Sakumo’s wrist. Are you sure you want to do this? he heard, looking at his mate.

“Of course.” Sakumo said, though battlefield memories did little but encourage uneasiness. “He’s important to you, isn’t he?”

Orochimaru met his eyes, looking a little startled - Sakumo wanted to growl - and. . .

“. . .yes. He is.” Orochimaru said quietly, his expression faltering even as his lips curled slightly, his eyes gone incredibly warm and soft. “That doesn’t-”

“Then if you would introduce us,” Sakumo interrupted, and kissed Orochimaru’s cheek, nuzzling him affectionately, “I wish to meet him.”

Orochimaru squeezed his wrist and kissed him, breath catching as he moved away from Sakumo a little, smiling.

Sakumo returned it and watched as his mate bared one pale arm, and the dark, thorny band inked around it.

He took a breath as a great purple shape sprang into being around them, coiling tighter, scales shining in the sun as Manda bowed his head close to them.

“Summoner.” Manda said, and hissed, flicking his tongue out until the tips of the blue fork almost brushed Sakumo.

Chapter 206: Cub Baths

Chapter Text

“Now, be nice.” Sakumo scolded lightly, disentangling Tenzou’s fingers from Kakashi’s hair and giving his eldest a smile for not snapping at his brother, despite the pulling.

Tenzou splashed, yelling wordlessly, but it was a happy sound and he was fine, so Sakumo let him be, balanced in the basin at the edge of the large bath. Kakashi ducked down as Sakumo directed, soaking his hair again and coming up with a spluttery noise and a scrunched face Sakumo knew was purposeful.

Sakumo corralled his cub to wash his hair as he made more faces at his brother, and Tenzou giggled and made faces back.

“You’re going to be so good when it’s your turn, right, my little sapling cub?” Sakumo asked Tenzou, and scrunched his nose up.

Tenzou giggled and said a few nonsense phrases that were no doubt something sensible in his mind. Sakumo grinned at him and he made a happy noise and then got distracted by his toes under the water.

Sakumo freed a hand and reached for him just in time to tilt him back up before his face hit the water’s surface. “Careful, cub.” he said lightly. “Kakashi-”

Kakashi yipped and submerged himself again, shaking his head and then twisting his whole body beneath the water before he came up, gasping and grinning. Sakumo patted his shoulder.

Chapter 207: Decompression

Chapter Text

Orochimaru stretched languidly, raising one hand and running his knuckles along Sakumo’s thigh. Sakumo bent and kissed Orochimaru’s brow, a nuzzling caress. One hand splayed over his shoulder, palm cupping his collarbone, callused fingertips dipping under his shirt.

He smiled, rolling his shoulder and tipping his head aside, and closed his eyes as Sakumo’s other hand ran through his hair. He curled his fingers into Sakumo’s pants, nestling a little further into his mate’s lap.

Sakumo’s fingers combed through his hair, and Orochimaru sighed contentedly, breath hissing a little. The tension of his mission finally eased away from him, bit by bit, with the quiet, warmth, and doting attention. Sakumo rumbled soothingly, palm rubbing over Orochimaru’s chest, and eventually he fell asleep there in his mate’s lap.

Chapter Text

A shiver of tension ran through Orochimaru at an unexpected touch, then faded away again, and he laughed, shaking his head. “What are you doing?” he asked, glancing down his chest to where Sakumo’s fingers were creeping in under his shirt.

“Hugging you.” Sakumo said, voice a rumble against Orochimaru’s back. One of his hands splayed over Orochimaru’s stomach; the other slipped a little higher and nudged deeper under the crossed front of his shirt.

“Is that so. Nothing else?” Orochimaru suggested, amused.

Sakumo hummed and kissed his neck. “Should I be doing something else?” he asked quietly, stroking the flat of his palm over Orochimaru’s stomach. His fingers curled just a little inside Orochimaru’s shirt, tickling his skin with callused fingertips.

“You tell me.” Orochimaru invited lightly, leaning into his mate’s arms and arching his neck, smiling as Sakumo nuzzled against it and nipped lightly, sending a tingling shiver through him. Orochimaru licked his lips, breath coming a little quicker.

“Perhaps I could think of a few other . . . possibilities.” Sakumo said innocently, and Orochimaru laughed and pressed into his mate’s body, hands sliding over his forearms.

Chapter 209: Grandmama (fretting family)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Are you sure you don’t mind, Oro-mama?” Shisui asked, bouncing lightly on his heels.

Orochimaru smiled and reached out his arms. “I’m sure. You know I love her.”

Shisui returned the smile and lifted his daughter, nuzzling her tousled hair and kissing her brow. “Be good for your grandmama, Airi.” he told her, then let Orochimaru take her.

He crooned softly, stroking her face and then offering her a finger. She grabbed hold and stuck it in her mouth, though unlike her father at this age there was no scrape of fangs along his skin.

“We’ll be fine, won’t we little one?” Orochimaru said, rocking the baby and looking up at Shisui.

“Thank you.” Shisui grinned and hugged them both, stroking Airi’s face as he stepped back. “I’ll be back as soon as. . .”

“Bring my son back with you.” Orochimaru said quietly.

“I will.” Shisui’s expression sharpened. “And if he’s not got a good reason I’m going to beat him first.”

“And if he has?” Orochimaru asked, arching a brow.

“Then I’m going to beat whatever it is and then drag him home.” Shisui said wryly, and Orochimaru laughed, rocking Airi.

“Be safe.” he said, brushing Shisui’s cheek with one hand. Shisui nodded, then turned, collecting his pack from where he’d left it near the door, and was gone in a flicker.

Orochimaru sighed, looking at his granddaughter and hoping his son was safe, wherever he was - wherever he had been for the two weeks that had passed since he had been expected home.

Notes:

Airi, with her lack of fangs, was written as an adopted Uchiha orphan. Though I suppose there's a possibility I'll write baby ravenwolfies at some point. (Ravensnekwolfies?)

next in arc

Chapter 210: Cooking Competence

Chapter Text

“What . . . are you doing?” Kakashi asked cautiously.

“Cooking.” Tsunade said slowly, drawing out the word as she peered into the oven.

Kakashi eyed her. “Oh.” He looked around the kitchen at the mess. “That’s . . . not what it looks like when Mama does it.”

Tsunade sighed and straightened, flicking the oven closed and leaning against the counter. “No, I imagine not.” she said, then snorted. “It’s not really my strong suit.”

Kakashi nodded, then looked around again. “Do . . . you need help?” he asked tentatively.

“Probably, but I’ll muddle through.” Tsunade said, waving a hand and turning her back to him again.

“Dad says every ninja should be able to take care of themselves.” Kakashi said after watching her a bit more.

“Yes, well, I’ve been rather busy and it’s not particularly interesting. Or something I’m good at.” Tsunade huffed.

“Mama agrees.” Kakashi added, and Tsunade turned to glare at him. “I can help.” he filled in quietly.

Tsunade blinked, expression softening. “Oh. I didn’t- Wait, you can help?”

Kakashi slid off the bench and trotted over to his aunt, reaching up and adjusting the pot on the stove carefully. “Dad and Mama say it’s important for every ninja to be able to take care of themselves, and anyone else around,” he reached for the knife, “so they make sure to teach me lots.”

When he looked up at Tsunade again she was smiling and shaking her head slightly. “I’m sure they do. All right, help it is.”

Chapter 211: Special Mission

Chapter Text

“Oh, goodness.” Sakumo said, clucking and bouncing Kakashi gently. “Such a voice, cub!”

Kakashi’s face screwed up and he nearly choked as he sniffled between howling cries. Sakumo crooned, rocking him and pacing back and forth across the house.

“There now, I know, cub. . .” Sakumo murmured, lifting Kakashi upright to make it easier for him to breathe, rubbing his back.

Kakashi howled and curled his tiny fists into Sakumo’s shirt, and Sakumo tipped him back to look him in the face.

“Kakashi, I have a very special mission for you, my very tiny ninja.” he said seriously, and Kakashi sniffled but eyed him, cries calming a little as Sakumo’s tone caught his attention. Sakumo smiled slightly. “Your mission . . . is to calm the hell down, my cub.”

Kakashi’s face was confused, but his attention was caught, so Sakumo continued to talk to him in the same tone as they walked around the house, wondering idly if Kakashi would calm enough to let him put together dinner before his mate returned home, or if it would need to wait.

Chapter 212: Tongue

Chapter Text

Sakumo’s hands caressed down Orochimaru’s sides, thumbs stroking as they stilled, clinging to his arching hips. Orochimaru shivered as he felt the feathery brush of his mate’s warm breath over his skin, and Sakumo growled.

Orochimaru groaned, an instant before Sakumo made contact, dragging his fangs across Orochimaru’s hip, licking at the dip of his spine, sliding further down - hands wandering down Orochimaru’s thighs - and nuzzling the curve of his ass. Orochimaru shifted slightly and Sakumo’s hands tightened.

Sakumo dipped lower, and Orochimaru jerked as sharp fangs dug into his thigh, a harsh pressure. It didn’t quite stop him from canting his hips and spreading his legs wider, knees sliding over the fabric of their futon with a barely-there rasp.

He shivered and a soft laugh spilled up from his throat as Sakumo nuzzled upwards, nose tucked against his inner thigh, brushing along the crease of his groin, then nudging his sac gently. Sakumo’s tongue lapped over his sac and Orochimaru’s breath caught.

He lingered, but slowly made his way up to tease at Orochimaru’s rim with gentle, but firm strokes, making him squirm and curl his fingers tight into the bedding.

Sakumo didn’t stop, tongue rubbing back and forth over the taut muscles, slowly teasing them into loosening for him. Orochimaru moaned breathlessly, heat racing beneath his skin as he arched his hips to push up towards his mate’s mouth.

Sakumo rumbled against him, not quite a growl, and Orochimaru’s toes curled as he nearly choked on a whine, limbs going weak. Sakumo’s tongue pushed firmly against the weakened resistance of Orochimaru’s muscles, and he keened sharply.

Catching his breath, he twisted a little and curled his hands more securely into the fabric, bracing himself. He swallowed, back arching and hips rocking as Sakumo’s tongue drove deeply into him.

Orochimaru’s muscles twitched, his whole body tense and hot with want that Sakumo was quickly intensifying with every stroke of his tongue, squeeze of his fingers, and rough rumble from deep in his chest.

Chapter 213: Favourite

Chapter Text

“Wolf! Wolf!

Sakumo pulled up short, debated making the last pounce to try and catch his prey for half an instant, then wheeled around and ran instead for the insistent call.

“Wolf?”

Sakumo howled low as he ran, and there were no more calls until he arrived at a small space between a boulder and two trees to find his friend perched on a smaller rock against the boulder, tense and solemn. Not that either was unusual for him, but. . .

Sakumo crossed to him more slowly, panting a little from the run after all the time chasing prey this afternoon. “Oro?” He whined softly, inquisitive and sympathetic.

Orochimaru looked up at him and the almost impassive face wavered. He reached out to Sakumo, and he moved in towards the touch with alacrity. Orochimaru shuddered and curled his fingers into Sakumo’s collar, and he dropped to his knees beside the rock.

“Oro? What’s wrong?” Sakumo asked, pressing his nose against Orochimaru’s forearm and scenting even as he nuzzled comfortingly.

Orochimaru slipped off the rock and almost into his lap, surprising Sakumo. He shifted and caught Orochimaru in his arms, hugging him tight, and Orochimaru returned the embrace, to his surprise.

“I hate. . .” Orochimaru broke off and buried his face against Sakumo’s shoulder. “I wish your Dad had been able to take me.”

Sakumo swallowed and nuzzled Orochimaru gently. They’d . . . all been disappointed, but the Hokage had claimed Orochimaru for his team of genin and no one could dispute that.

“I don’t think he even likes me. He told Jiraiya today I’m not trustworthy, and he-” Orochimaru broke off and Sakumo fought not to snarl. “And I have to train with Jiraiya and he’s so slow, and loud, and- I hate him.”

Sakumo wasn’t sure whether Orochimaru meant Jiraiya or his sensei, but it didn’t . . . really matter, not here and not like this.

“I’m sorry.” he said, nuzzling Orochimaru’s neck and cuddling him close. “You know we wish, too. . . I mean,” he paused, sighing, “I wish you could’ve been on my team.”

“Me too.” Orochimaru said with a sigh. “I. . . It would be so much better with you.”

“You’d like Dan, too, if you gave him a chance.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru huffed sharply, squeezing him even tighter. “You would. But you don’t have to.” he soothed, rubbing Orochimaru’s back. He hesitated. “You’ll always be my favourite person, anyway. If that-”

Sakumo broke off as Orochimaru’s arms suddenly moved to wind around his shoulders and neck instead, holding tight. Orochimaru sniffled and clung, and Sakumo’s eyes widened, but he didn’t say anything, only cuddled into Orochimaru’s embrace and whined softly, nuzzling his shoulder.

Chapter 214: Hajimemashite Aniki

Chapter Text

Kabuto jumped, looking nervously towards the door. “What’s that noise?”

“Hatchling is home.” Motoki said, circling Kabuto’s waist.

“Older hatchling.” Jinkei said with an almost contemplative hiss.

“Oh.” Kabuto tucked his legs a little closer and eyed the front door. Kakashi had been on a mission when Oro- when his new parents had brought him home. What would he think about Kabuto being here?

The door opened and Nori crossed from behind Kabuto towards it at a quick pace, just as a slender boy much taller than Kabuto had somehow expected stepped inside. He looked very like Sakumo, though not so big or broad . . . until his eyes swept the room and landed on Kabuto with almost the same inquisitive light that Orochimaru had fixed on him when Kabuto had been healing his wrist.

Nori wound around his legs, climbing higher, and he stroked the huge serpent much like Orochimaru did as well. “Hello there.”

“Hello.” Kabuto said in a tiny voice.

“So you’re my new otouto?” Kakashi asked, closing the door and leaving his sandals behind as he stepped up into the room.

Kabuto’s eyes widened.

“Kakashi!”

“Hello Mama.” Kakashi returned, his smile just showing beneath the mask that hid half his face, his eyes crinkling above it. Orochimaru swept him into an embrace, and he whined and nuzzled into it until Orochimaru stepped back, stroking his cheek.

Kabuto tried to make himself smaller.

“This is Kabuto.” Orochimaru turned towards him without releasing Kakashi, beckoning.

Kabuto swallowed nervously, but rose and sidled closer.

Orochimaru pulled him in and Kabuto relaxed a little under the warm touch, leaning against him. “Kabuto, this is Kakashi, your Aniki.”

Kabuto’s breath caught as Kakashi bent and drew him into a gentle hug, masked nose brushing his jaw. “It is good to meet you, otouto.” Kakashi drew back just enough to meet Kabuto’s eyes, and he was smiling again, and his embrace was warm and careful.

“Erm.” Kabuto nodded shallowly, and Orochimaru stroked his hair. “Hajimemashite . . . Aniki.”

Chapter 215: Here

Chapter Text

Sakumo startled as he found himself suddenly being pressed lower in bed, but as soon as he was awake enough to register the feeling, he was awake enough to recognise the hands splaying over his shoulders. He sighed and relaxed, and Orochimaru stretched out over him, then quietly went lax, heavy and warm.

Sakumo growled softly, and Orochimaru kissed the nape of his neck, hands sliding over his arms and squeezing lightly. There was a soft hiss and a murmured endearment, and Sakumo shifted just enough to bring one hand up, catching his mate’s and twining their fingers.

“I love you.” Orochimaru said, and Sakumo smiled. “Thank you for being here.”

Sakumo squeezed his hand. “Always.”

Chapter 216: Bloody Hands

Chapter Text

Orochimaru eyed his mate out the window. It was raining and nearly dark, but Sakumo showed no sign of ceasing the kata he was running through.

A nudge against his thigh had Orochimaru reaching down to rest his hand on his son’s hair. He looked down as Kakashi snuffled against him, a contented look on his face, and smiled.

Kakashi looked up and grinned, then tugged at the tail of Orochimaru’s shirt.

Orochimaru crouched just enough to pick him up, shifting to let Kakashi rest on his hip and bouncing him idly. “Dad’s not happy.” he said quietly, resting his head on Orochimaru’s shoulder and looking outside.

“So it seems, precious.” Orochimaru agreed, ruffling Kakashi’s hair and stroking his cheek. “I don’t know why, but perhaps he will feel better after dinner.”

“Someone in the market upset him.” Kakashi said, and Orochimaru stilled, then tilted his head to look Kakashi in the eyes. Kakashi looked unhappy himself, and Orochimaru frowned.

“What happened?” Orochimaru asked, glancing back out the window.

“. . .they said about . . . bloody hands. Said Mama has bloody hands.” Kakashi said, and Orochimaru blinked, then squeezed his eyes shut for a moment.

“Name me a ninja who does not.” Orochimaru said dryly, and glanced at his mate again. “Shall we go and get started on dinner while we wait for your father?”

“Help?” Kakashi said happily, expression clearing quickly, and Orochimaru smiled at him.

“Certainly, precious.” Orochimaru tapped the end of his nose with one finger.

Chapter 217: Sharingan

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Kabuto! What are you doing?”

Kabuto jerked, looking away from his brother even as his hands dropped from Kakashi’s face and he swayed where he knelt, nearly falling.

Orochimaru swept over to him and caught him by the shoulders, chest and stomach pressing against his back. “Easy, easy, little one.” he soothed softly, rubbing Kabuto’s shoulders. “What are you doing?”

“Not hurting Aniki.” Kabuto promised, sniffing as he looked up at Kakashi’s face, mostly hidden by bandages and ashy where it was visible. It wasn’t lax even now, in sleep, but twisted with pain and grief and distress.

“I know you wouldn’t hurt him, little one.” Orochimaru said, and Kabuto whimpered. “What are you doing?”

“They- They won’t help him! Not enough!” Kabuto said, and leaned forwards, out of Orochimaru’s arms. He spread one hand out over Kakashi’s face and called his chakra again, the green glow lighting the dark hospital room.

“Kabuto. Kabuto stop.” Orochimaru ordered, and clasped his wrist, pulling it away.

“Mama!” Kabuto turned and looked up at him, eyes burning.

Orochimaru pulled Kabuto up in his arms as though he were far smaller, younger, than he really was, and then took his place on the edge of Kakashi’s bed, Kabuto cradled in his lap. “You could use too much chakra trying to heal your brother,” he said softly, mouth almost against Kabuto’s hair, “I don’t want to lose you either.”

Kabuto shuddered and sobbed silently, clinging to Orochimaru and unable to drag his eyes away from Kakashi’s tortured face.

“Tell me why you think they aren’t doing enough.” Orochimaru prompted, rubbing his back and rocking him. Kabuto sobbed a little more because-

Because Orochimaru would listen, because he hadn’t put Kabuto off and he wasn’t humouring him, and he would make sure Kakashi was taken care of even if he wouldn’t- wouldn’t let Kabuto help himself.

Notes:

So is Kabuto just upset that his beloved aniki is still in pain . . . or is small Kabuto smart enough to think 'perhaps a delicate eye transplant, into a damaged face, done by a half-trained chuunin in the field, could use some checking on and perhaps improving' . . . where no other iryou-nin seem to have?

Chapter 218: Protective Aniki

Chapter Text

“Stop! Stop!

Kakashi’s head jerked up, and he frowned. The cry came again, distress thick in the tone, and he was already running, eyes narrowed.

“You’re not even a real child, why would they want you?”

Kakashi snarled as he pounced, knocking one of the boys back and toppling another to the ground under his weight. The third yelped and turned as though he would run, and Kakashi lunged, knocking him face-down into the dirt and landing on his back.

“Aniki!” Tenzou sobbed, and Kakashi’s snarl faded as he turned just in time to catch his otouto in his arms, whining softly, comforting. “Aniki! They said! They- They-”

Kakashi rocked him and hugged him just a little tighter, crooning. Kakashi turned his head to glare at the three boys near them, baring his fangs.

They scrambled to their feet, shouting insults at him now, but he hardly cared - people said things about him and his parents, how they were wild and feral and not worth trusting, and it was awful, but they were only idiots and Kakashi could ignore them. Cornering his baby brother this way and making him cry. . .

Kakashi wanted to go after them, wanted to hurt them, but Tenzou was crying into his shoulder and clinging to him hard, shaking. Kakashi couldn’t let go himself when Tenzou clearly needed him here.

He nuzzled Tenzou’s cheek and cuddled him closer, hugging tight.

Chapter 219: Friendly Fire

Chapter Text

“Fucking hell!” Sakumo cringed as Dai pulled the kunai out of his back.

“I am sorry, my friend.” Dai said, still holding him down firmly with one hand. “It does appear to have missed your kidney, at least.” he offered, and Sakumo huffed.

“That’s good.” he agreed. “Fuck. Ow. Bastard.”

“I do believe perhaps . . . Toryu should . . . refresh his skills.” Dai said slowly, clearing his throat, and Sakumo snorted.

“Before he gets anyone else friendly with his fucking dull kunai?” Sakumo continued, growling a little.

“Indeed.” Dai rubbed Sakumo’s back lightly. “Shall I clean and bandage this for you, or would you prefer to wait for an iryou-nin? Or your mate?”

“Oh, no, please.” Sakumo shook his head, trying to relax a little more and sighing. “. . .and please get me patched up before my mate is due back.”

“Perhaps as quickly as possible. Orochimaru-san does not tend to tarry.” Dai observed, and Sakumo laughed, wincing at the hot spike of pain from the wound in his back.

“Thanks, Dai.”

“Any time, my friend.” Dai assured him, patting his back and settling beside him again. “Although, please try not to require such aid too often.”

“I’ll do my best.” Sakumo snorted.

Chapter 220: Kidnapped

Chapter Text

“We have to get to them!”

“If we want any part of the kidnappers alive to question, indeed.” Orochimaru agreed, anger and worry simmering in his veins.

“. . .what?”

“My cub is not a terribly patient person.” Sakumo said, his worry clear in his voice and his expression, but still several measures lesser than the Uchiha and her husband’s own.

“He is my son.” Orochimaru said pointedly.

“And both of you can be patient when you choose.” Sakumo modified, and Orochimaru laughed, because that was not what he had meant, but it was true as well.

“Kakashi has had cytotoxic venom since he was born.” Orochimaru informed the other parents. “He will not have hesitated to put his bite to use when dragged away from his home.”

“. . .your son will- Venom?

Orochimaru snorted and bared his teeth, letting his fangs flick forwards, then quickly folding them back again. “Have you-”

Yura barked insistently, not even coming all the way to them before rushing off again, and Sakumo was on her tail almost instantly. Orochimaru didn’t wait to see if Obito’s parents were keeping up before following.

Chapter 221: Better Than Leaves

Chapter Text

Orochimaru ruffled Sakumo’s fur and his ear flicked, but he didn’t stir. Orochimaru shook his head at his mate, climbing to his feet and eyeing the drifts of heaped fluff he had brushed off of Sakumo, then went to fetch the broom.

When he returned Sakumo was still drowsing in the same spot, but the heaps of fur were . . . spread out a little. And there was a suspicious depression in-

Kakashi pounced out of the largest heap, shed fur going every which way as he growled and caught hold of Orochimaru’s ankle, knocking into the broom along the way. Orochimaru laughed, glancing down, and Kakashi grinned up at him.

There was fur stuck to his clothes, and more caught in his hair, and one tuft clinging to his face. Orochimaru laughed louder, and Kakashi growled again, still grinning. “Mama!” he said, voice still rumbling with his little growls.

Orochimaru shook his head and looked at the mess - even more of one, now - beginning to sweep it up. Kakashi would need to have the fur cleaned off himself as well, now, but that could wait-

Kakashi pounced on the broom as Orochimaru swept, skidding across the floor and dragging the head of the broom sideways along with himself. Sakumo snorted, ears perking towards them, though he didn’t raise his head from his paws.

Orochimaru wrenched the broom away, then swept another drift in towards the main mess, sidestepped Kakashi’s pounce, and poked him lightly in the back with the bristles.

“Mama!” Kakashi protested, giggling, twisting and catching at the broom.

“Cubling!” Orochimaru retorted, and sidestepped again as Kakashi released the broom and darted for him again, smiling at his son.

Chapter 222: Seeking Out

Chapter Text

“Jiraiya! You’re not la- You’re not Jiraiya.”

Sakumo turned towards the girl, nose twitching. “No. I am not.” he said, keeping as much of his distaste for the thought as he could out of his voice.

It was Orochimaru’s other teammate, Sakumo confirmed with a slightly deeper breath. Sometimes he smelled of her.

“I’m Hatake Sakumo. I’m looking for Orochimaru.” Sakumo said, bowing slightly.

Tsunade blinked at him, then tilted her head. “Looking for him?” she questioned, making Sakumo’s hackles prickle.

Yes, I-”

“Wolf!”

Sakumo brightened, turning towards his friend. “Oro!” he took a step, then waited as Orochimaru approached them.

“Hello, Orochimaru.”

“Hello, Tsunade.” Orochimaru returned, dipping his head slightly, then turning his attention immediately back to Sakumo in a way that made him want to preen. “What is it?” he asked, stepping a little closer.

Sakumo reached for him and Orochimaru stiffened for a moment, then caught his hand in a light clasp. “Sensei is taking us on a longer mission today. You’re still welcome of course, but I won’t be home for a few days.” He paused. “And I wanted to see you before I go.”

Orochimaru’s look of surprise - and Sakumo let himself think disappointment - warmed with a smile. “Be safe, then. I’ll see you when you get home?”

Sakumo tugged Orochimaru into a hug, nuzzling his hair and the curve of his ear. He felt the barely-there thrum of suppressed laughter in Orochimaru’s chest and grinned even as he reluctantly stepped back.

Chapter 223: Hammock (fretting family)

Notes:

previous in arc

 

Several people hoped to see more in this arc; there will not be the actual rescue with Shisui and Kakashi out in the field (given the focus of this collection) but I hope the next few following on from the plot thread are enjoyable nevertheless.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru hummed as he pushed absently against one tree trunk with the ball of his foot, keeping the hammock rocking slowly. Airi wriggled from time to time where she lay on his chest, but mostly she dozed peacefully, face smushed against him.

Orochimaru tilted his book back to turn the page with his thumb, keeping his other hand on his granddaughter’s back, rubbing lightly from time to time.

“Oro, lovely?”

“Mm?” Orochimaru kept his eyes on his book, finishing the passage.

Sakumo bent and nuzzled his temple. “Did you have a plan for dinner tonight?” he asked, running his fingers through Airi’s wild hair.

“No.” Orochimaru closed his book on his thumb and looked up at his mate. “Are you cooking?”

“If you like.” Sakumo offered, his eyes on their granddaughter. “Going to stay out here for a while longer?” he asked, gaze lifting to meet Orochimaru’s.

“Probably.” Orochimaru tilted his head to meet his mate with a light kiss.

“I’ll call you when dinner’s ready, if you haven’t come in.” Sakumo said as he straightened, stroking Orochimaru’s cheek and then heading back inside.

Orochimaru watched him go with distracted warmth, then sighed as he looked down at his granddaughter, trying not to think about what might have kept his son from returning home. Shisui was out looking for him and if anyone was likely to be able to find him and bring him back. . .

A part of Orochimaru said he should be out there himself, but . . . well.

He shook his head, rubbing Airi’s back again as she began to wake up and tucking his book down by his hip to free his other hand.

Chapter 224: Safely Home (fretting family)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“That’s it, little one. . .” Orochimaru crooned, slowly withdrawing his hand from his granddaughter’s arms. “Shh. . .”

Nori coiled a little more closely around her, broad nose nudging her neck, and she burbled, her little fists flexing against his scales. Orochimaru smiled and Nori hissed softly. He was . . . so much larger around Airi than he had once been around Kakashi - he would no longer fit in a cradle, himself - but he was as gentle as ever.

Orochimaru rose and left them to rest in the bedroom, intending to get a little cleaning done. He had only been working for perhaps half an hour when there a sound outside caught his ear, and he stilled, listening closely.

He darted for the door, opening it to find Shisui and Kakashi still half a dozen paces from the engawa. They looked up at him and Orochimaru ran down to meet them.

“Hello, Mama.” Kakashi said, resting his chin on Orochimaru’s shoulder and sighing. Shisui’s arm was still around his waist to support him.

“Welcome home.” Orochimaru said, forcing down the lump in his throat and reaching out to Shisui as well.

“Hello, Oro-mama. I brought him back.” Shisui said as he snuggled into Orochimaru’s embrace as well.

“Well done.” Orochimaru said with a flicker of amusement, holding them both close. “Are you all right, cubling?”

“Tired. Not too bad, though.” Kakashi said, shaking his head slightly as Orochimaru drew back a bit. “They wanted me in one piece. At least to begin with.”

“I caught them before his mouth could get him into too much trouble.” Shisui interjected.

My mouth gets me into trouble?” Kakashi countered, arching a brow at his partner.

Orochimaru laughed softly, shaking his head. “Come inside.” he interrupted their good-natured teasing, drawing their attention once more.

Chapter 225: Pack (fretting family)

Chapter Text

“Hello there, my precious!” Kakashi crooned, cradling his daughter against his chest and nuzzling her hair as he sank to the floor. Nori wound himself around Kakashi, who, Orochimaru thought, would always be his favourite person.

Kakashi freed a hand to smooth over Nori’s head and down his dark scales. “Have you been watching over my hatchling, Nori?” he asked softly, and Nori snuggled his broad head up over Kakashi’s shoulder, hissing fondly.

Kakashi nudged into the embrace of his coils and leaned against the wall, cuddling Airi up close.

Orochimaru sighed, a little tightness in his chest easing as he watched them. He looked at Shisui, whose eyes practically shone with love as he watched them, and smiled.

“Thank you for bringing him home safely.” Orochimaru said, sliding a hand over Shisui’s shoulder.

Shisui glanced at Orochimaru before returning his gaze to Kakashi, leaning into Orochimaru and bowing his head a little, almost to Orochimaru’s shoulder. Orochimaru wound an arm around him comfortingly as he sighed.

“I’m just glad he’s safe.” Shisui said quietly, and Orochimaru nodded, humming, and hugged Shisui a little tighter.

Then he released his hold and nudged Shisui forwards, towards his mate and daughter. He went willingly, and Nori eased his coils to let Shisui press close against Kakashi’s side, winding around all three of them cosily.

Orochimaru took a deep breath, then sighed, smiling at his hatchlingcub and the family he had built.

Warm hands slid over his sides, then his own mate’s arms wrapped around his waist, and Orochimaru’s smile grew as he leaned backwards into Sakumo’s chest. “Our cubling is home again.” he said quietly. “Safe.”

Sakumo nuzzled his ear, rumbling contentedly. “Pack.” he said simply, and Orochimaru stroked his wrist and up his forearm lightly, nodding.

Chapter 226: Rest

Chapter Text

Orochimaru hummed softly with pleasure as his mate’s fingers combed through his hair, fingertips rubbing gently at his temples, then trailing down to press more firmly at the base of his skull.

“Where is our son?” he asked after a few minutes, lazy and heavy with sleep. The last he had seen, Sakumo and Kakashi had been off to train - to play - together after lunch.

Sakumo hummed, bending to kiss his brow. “I believe he is still outside, with Nori and Jinkei, resting.” he said softly, and Orochimaru sighed, nodding.

Orochimaru must have fallen asleep, he thought groggily some time later, stretching slowly. Sakumo’s thumb rubbed his neck and he opened his eyes to find that the room was a little dimmer than he remembered.

“Hello there, lovely.” Sakumo said gently, rubbing Orochimaru’s shoulder.

“Hello.” Orochimaru said thickly. “I apologise. I did not mean. . .”

Sakumo’s fingers on his lips quieted him, and he looked up at his mate. Sakumo was smiling. “You clearly needed the rest, lovely. Perhaps because you stayed up all night working through that new monograph.” he added dryly, raising an eyebrow.

Orochimaru opened his mouth, then closed it with a sigh. He could have gone longer without trouble, true, but the rest had been nice. “Thank you.”

Sakumo kissed his brow. “Ready for dinner?” he asked, and Orochimaru hummed, smiling.

Chapter 227: Evening Preening

Chapter Text

Sakumo buried his fingers a little deeper in his mate’s sleek, shadow-dark feathers, rubbing gently. Orochimaru stretched, muscles pulling taut in a fluid arch of his long, lean body, and moaned, and Sakumo had to stop for a moment, fingers stilling amongst the feathers.

Orochimaru hummed, tilting his head and angling a look around his shoulder at Sakumo.

Sakumo shifted a little astride his mate’s waist, beginning to stroke and preen once more in long, gentle caresses. Orochimaru went limp beneath him, wings sliding a little further out on the futon at either side of him like a puddle of shining ink.

Sakumo tilted his hips absently, then shuddered as the movement nudged his burgeoning erection against the slope of Orochimaru’s lower back. He consciously stilled himself, focusing on the soft feathers beneath his hands and the low sounds of pleasure that spilled, if infrequently, from his mate’s throat as he worked.

Chapter 228: Big Brothers

Chapter Text

“What are you doing up?”

Kabuto startled, though the voice was low and soft. He turned to find his brother looking at him from the doorway and fidgeted, tucking his legs up closer. Tenzou crossed the room towards him in silent steps, reaching out and brushing a hand over his shoulder. “Kabuto?”

Kabuto’s breath caught as he made contact, and he leaned towards Tenzou a little, eyes darting towards their parents’ door. It was open, and the room beyond empty. Mama was on a mission and Dad was on night patrols this week.

“Is something wrong?” Tenzou asked, and Kabuto shook his head hurriedly. “You know Kakashi is there if you - if we - need anything. . .” Kabuto shook his head again. “What is it, otouto?” He stroked Kabuto’s hair.

“. . .nightmare.” Kabuto admitted, sniffing. He didn’t struggle with them as much as he once had, but. . .

Dad had helped lots with that, reassuring but not dismissing Kabuto’s fears, and curling up with him, warm and quiet, when he was too fretful to sleep. Sometimes Kabuto drifted off in a curl of silvery-white fur and warmth.

“Nii-san!” Kabuto protested as Tenzou rose, pulling him up as well.

“Do you want to sit here alone?” Tenzou asked, and Kabuto whimpered before he could quite catch the sound back. Tenzou’s expression was sympathetic. “Come on.” He turned the light out and drew Kabuto along with him to Kakashi’s room, opening the door without knocking. “Aniki?”

“Shrubling.” Kakashi said, voice thick, and Tenzou made a soft sound in his throat. A low light came on by Kakashi’s futon, and sharp eyes swept over them. “Come here.” He beckoned, and Tenzou nudged at Kabuto’s shoulders.

He found himself soon wrapped up in his brother’s arms, Tenzou settling nearby as well, and Kakashi whined soothingly, nuzzling his hair. It wasn’t like Dad, but. . .

Kabuto sighed, leaning into Kakashi’s hug and closing his eyes.

“What’s wrong, otouto?” Kakashi asked, his voice rumbling like Dad’s, but higher.

“He said he had a nightmare.” Tenzou said, hand on his back. Kabuto whined.

“Want to talk about it?” Kakashi asked, rubbing Kabuto’s back. Kabuto shook his head, sniffing. “All right. Want to stay with me?” he asked, and Kabuto sniffled again, lifting his head and looking his brother in the face. Kakashi cocked his head to one side, smiling slightly, and Kabuto hesitated for a moment, then nodded, burrowing back against him.

Kakashi gave a soft rumble, low in his throat, and settled back down in his futon, bringing Kabuto with him, stroking his back.

“Staying, shrubling?” Kakashi asked, and Tenzou must have responded somehow but Kabuto didn’t hear. He drew the kakebuton over Kabuto and Kakashi, and then he was gone. Kakashi patted Kabuto from time to time, one arm still around him, warm and comforting as he finally began to drift back to sleep.

Kakashi, Kabuto thought muzzily, was nothing like the older boys at the orphanage. Neither of his brothers were. He snuggled a little closer and Kakashi hugged him firmly.

Chapter 229: Among the Ayame

Chapter Text

Sakumo moaned softly as he carefully withdrew from his mate’s body, sliding a hand over his side to soothe his shivers as he whined.

Orochimaru reached up, hands brushing over Sakumo’s shoulder and tangling in his hair once more, tugging gently. Sakumo growled low and settled close again, nuzzling his mate’s cheek. He hadn’t intended to pull away in any case.

He stroked Orochimaru’s side, a contented rumble catching in his throat. He grinned as he looked up at the tall, deep purple flowers around them. He didn’t think they had crushed anything too badly, though he had rather taken his mate by surprise with his pounce.

“What are these?” Sakumo asked, and Orochimaru hummed, arching his brows. Sakumo reached out and brushed his knuckles against the stalks of some of the nearer flowers.

Orochimaru sighed, lips curving. “Ayame.” he said, voice warm with amusement. “You don’t recognise them?”

Sakumo hummed. “I thought so. . .” he admitted, frowning a little, looking at the purple petals glowing in the sunlight, rich and dark. “But I thought you were planting a poison garden.”

“Ayame are poisonous, my love.” Orochimaru said lazily, reaching up and caressing the petals of the nearest flower. “Mildly. But they are.”

“Oh.” Sakumo blinked, then returned to nuzzling his mate’s shoulder.

Chapter 230: Bitch

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Jiraiya rolled over and groaned, then whimpered as his head throbbed at the sound of his own voice.

“Hi bitch.”

Jiraiya squinted his eyes open, confused, then startled at the judgemental look from a small sandy-coloured snake peering at him through the window.

“What?” Jiraiya rasped thinly.

“You’re late.” the snake said, slithering up onto the sill. Jiraiya hadn’t realised he had left the window open, but he must have; it wasn’t as though the snake had thumbs to work the latches, even if there weren’t seals on all of his windows to lock the things.

“Late?” Jiraiya repeated.

“Oh, Ryuujin, you’re slow.” the snake huffed, coiling itself up and resting its chin on its own coils. “If you’re not going, I’ll tell summoner he can spend today with his wolf instead.”

“Wolf should be the bitch.” Jiraiya said, a little offended, rubbing his face. “Logically. Fuck. Right. No, I’m getting up.” He groaned, but suited actions to words, pushing himself upright.

“Wolf is much preferable.”

Jiraiya turned back to see a sandy-coloured tail slipping back out through the window and huffed, reaching to close it with a snap.

Notes:

. . .this was written after a friend shared a meme image of a small snek peering through a window with the caption 'hi bich', and another friend suggested the snek was probably looking at Jiraiya. XD

Chapter 231: New Hatchling (hatchling)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Manda tightened his coils as he poofed into the human realm, surprised to find himself within Konoha. He angled a look down at his summoner. “Why am I in the village?” he asked, lowering his head a bit. “Who am I to crush? What is to be eaten?”

“Nothing to be destroyed.” Orochimaru said, his voice thick with tiredness. Manda flicked his tongue, curious. “I wish for you to meet my hatchling.”

Manda eyed the tiny bundle in his summoner’s arms. “Well. I suppose,” he said, lowering his head and twisting a little to peer down at a better angle, “I had best do so, so I won’t accidentally crush them.”

He flicked his tongue again, the very tips brushing the small creature. Orochimaru flipped open the blankets wrapped around his hatchling, and they squirmed in his arms, fluffy hair like Orochimaru’s mate’s sticking up wildly. He smelltasted much like wolf, but not entirely, at least.

“Hrmph.” Manda opined, flicking his tongue at the hatchling. He wriggled again and reached for Manda’s tongue, burbling. “Such fuss about such a tiny hatchling.” he huffed, coiling carefully closer around Orochimaru and his hatchling.

“He’ll grow.” Orochimaru said contentedly, with a familiar soft warmth. Manda’s summoner was happily brooding, though he had only one hatchling, unlike the clutches Manda’s mates had hatched over the years. “Though everyone is tiny to you, Manda.”

Manda chuckled, flicking his tongue across the hatchling again. True.

Orochimaru shifted, groaning almost silently. “I’m going to lie down again.” he said, rearranging his hold on his hatchling. “Are you staying, or returning home?”

Manda huffed. “Yes, good, rest. Hatchlings are very tiring.” He nudged Orochimaru gently with the tip of his nose. Orochimaru’s scent was thick with exhaustion and tinged with blood. The hatchling was very new indeed. “I will stay, for now.”

“As you will.” Orochimaru said, freeing a hand and reaching up to rest it on Manda’s snout. Manda remained carefully still as Orochimaru moved, though he only went so far as the engawa, then paused and looked back.

He collected a blanket from the engawa and returned to the grass, curling up there with his hatchling against his chest. Manda huffed, tongue flicking, and coiled himself close, though much of his bulk circled the house and wound among the trees of the compound.

He rested his head upon his own coils, looking down at his happy, tired summoner and the tiny, tiny wolf-snake hatchling he had birthed.

Chapter 232: Wolf Returns (hatchling)

Notes:

previous in arc

 

Yesterday's did not actually have followups when I posted it, but the idea snagged me yesterday afternoon. XD

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Hello, Manda-sama.”

Manda shifted his coils and lifted his head, angling it back past the house to the front garden, where his summoner’s wolf was standing with a basket in one hand. He huffed.

“Nice to see you again.” The wolf smiled and bowed his head slightly. “You’ve met our cub?”

Manda huffed again, glancing back at where Orochimaru was asleep with the hatchling cradled in his arms. “Tiny hatchling.” he observed, and looked back to find the wolf wearing a silly grin. At least he appreciated Manda’s summoner and his small family appropriately. “I will not crush him.” Manda said, flicking his tongue.

“. . .thank you. May I get through to my mate and cub?” the wolf asked, angling his head up and looking towards the front door.

“Why have you not been here?” Manda asked as he lifted his coils.

The wolf moved fearlessly beneath them, and Manda sighed. Still, it was true he would not hurt the wolf that made his summoner so happy. “Orochimaru wanted peaches. And I got more eggs.” He lifted the basket he held.

“They are asleep behind the house.” Manda told him, coils resettling across the path.

“Thank you!” the wolf called back as he trotted up into the house.

Manda huffed and returned his head to his coils where he had been resting before the wolf returned, watching over his summoner as he slept. It had grown cooler, but Manda had coiled a little closer and Orochimaru now rested with his back comfortably against Manda’s side, and the hatchling was well sheltered in his blankets and Orochimaru’s arms.

Chapter 233: Good Mate (hatchling)

Chapter Text

Manda shifted his head as the door slid open, the wolf stepping outside. He hissed softly, approving. The wolf was carrying a tray and had another blanket draped over his arm as he came down the steps and made for Orochimaru.

The hatchling cried a little as Orochimaru shifted and woke under his wolf’s hand, and he crooned, scooping the hatchling from Orochimaru’s arms and rocking him soothingly.

“Sakumo?” Orochimaru said thickly, stretching. He stilled with a soft hiss of pain, and the wolf shifted to steady him, rubbing his side gently.

Manda watched as his summoner slowly inched up, curling into his mate’s side and accepting a cup of tea, settled under the second blanket as the wolf rocked their hatchling back to sleep. Manda flicked his tongue and coiled upon himself a little more tightly.

Orochimaru drank his tea and ate most of the peach his mate had brought already sliced for him, then fell asleep leaning into the wolf’s arms, their hatchling cradled on his chest.

The wolf watched him - both of them - with an adoring look on his face, nuzzling Orochimaru’s hair.

“You are good to him.” Manda observed, and the wolf looked up at him with an amusingly puzzled expression. “Good.” he huffed.

Chapter 234: Charm

Chapter Text

Groggy with sleep but realising that his mate was no longer in bed at his side, nor even in the room, Sakumo took a deep breath and rolled over, crawling out of the futon himself and going in search.

“What are you doing up?” Sakumo asked, leaning against the doorframe. He hadn’t needed to go far to find his absent mate.

Orochimaru looked up, long fingers cradling what looked like a pair of each of their feathers. He smiled slightly at Sakumo, then sighed. “The cubling woke me.” he said, shaking his head slightly, hair falling forwards over his shoulder. “I decided to work on this while I was already awake.”

Sakumo moved closer, dropping to his knees and settling close to his mate’s back, tucking his chin over Orochimaru’s shoulder and sliding one hand beneath his wing to spread over his stomach, still only just showing their growing cub. “What is it?”

Orochimaru turned his hands palm upwards and Sakumo’s breath caught. Orochimaru did indeed hold a pair of sleek ink-dark feathers, and a pair of steely silver ones; they were bound together in two sets, shafts curving together around a smaller setting. One that would quite well suit the tiny, soft-boned fluff of a new cub’s first shed down.

“Oh.” Sakumo said, and kissed Orochimaru’s neck. He nuzzled in close, simply holding on to his mate, and Orochimaru leaned into him with a soft hum.

Chapter 235: Cub Corralled (hunt interrupted)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Kakashi wiggled, gathering himself carefully, not making a sound as he drew his paws inwards, focused on the little puff of a rabbit’s tail just down the hole, and then pounced-

Strong jaws caught hold of his scruff mid-leap, arresting his movement, and Kakashi flailed his paws a little, yowling a protest. Dad ignored him, carrying him away from the warren he had dug his way into without even letting him catch one more rabbit to take home. Kakashi whined, dangling helplessly as Dad moved into a lope.

He didn’t slow until they reached home, circling to the back before trotting neatly up the steps and into the house through the open shoji. He finally put Kakashi down, but caught him with one paw on his back before he could squirm away, smoothing his ruff down with long licks.

Kakashi whined and let himself flop on the floor, submitting to being washed. He perked his ears as he caught the quiet, padding shh sound of Mama’s footsteps, but didn’t move.

“What have you been up to?” Mama asked, crossing to kneel beside them, and Kakashi took advantage of Dad’s distraction to scramble into Mama’s lap, shoving his head up under Mama’s forearm. Mama laughed and stroked him, hugging him close, and Kakashi’s tail wagged. Dad huffed behind him, but he ignored that.

Chapter 236: Hunting Grounds (hunt interrupted)

Chapter Text

“I was hunting, Mama!” Kakashi whined, squirming as Mama ran the brush through his hair. “I caught one little rabbit but there were lots and lots of big, tasty rabbits, right there, and Dad wouldn’t let me catch even one more, he just dragged me off!”

“Oh really?” Mama asked, fingertips running down behind Kakashi’s ear.

“Yes! I was just about to get a big fat one, Mama!” Kakashi whined, and Dad huffed from where he lay nearby, his head against Mama’s thigh.

“And where were you that had so many fat rabbits for the taking, precious?” Mama asked, rubbing the nape of Kakashi’s neck.

Kakashi shivered, going limp. “Trainin’ grounds. Nobody hunts over- over there.” he mumbled, pressing into Mama’s hand.

“Did Dad possibly want to take you away from the masked ninja using explosive tags, thrown weaponry, and big, crushing jutsu right above your fluffy little head as you dug into the rabbit warren, precious?” Mama suggested, resting a hand on his head.

Kakashi sighed, nestling against Mama’s chest. “Rabbits.” he huffed, eyes sliding closed.

Dad lifted his head and nuzzled Kakashi, and he sighed, sliding down to cuddle against Dad’s neck too.

“One day you will be able to outrun and outmatch ANBU, precious,” Mama said, and kissed the top of his head, “but for now, you must hunt safely.”

Chapter 237: Unusual Appreciation

Chapter Text

Jiraiya raised his head from his notes, propping his chin in his palm and wiggling his pen thoughtfully. He paused as his eyes fell on Orochimaru walking by arm in arm with Sakumo. He’d known they were dating, but this was. . .

Sakumo stepped closer and Orochimaru smiled even as he unlinked their arms, head tilting towards him. Jiraiya blinked as he took in the bruised love bites on Orochimaru’s throat . . . leading into a few bloody - scabbed? - marks of teeth.

Jiraiya had never known a woman who would appreciate being bitten that hard - he didn’t think so, anyway. Surely not.

He’d also never known Orochimaru to-

Orochimaru laughed a little as Sakumo pulled him in with an arm around his waist, drawing them chest to chest and dipping his head to kiss or nuzzle Orochimaru’s bloodied throat. Orochimaru curled a hand around his shoulder and pressed into him.

After a few moments they pulled apart, but Sakumo kept his arm around Orochimaru’s waist even as they began to walk, and Orochimaru leaned into his side, still smiling broadly.

Jiraiya shook his head slightly, fiddling with his pen.

Chapter 238: Hatchling Heap

Chapter Text

“You look . . . sulky.”

Orochimaru frowned as he tilted his head, not looking around at his mate. “Excuse me?”

“Not a complaint,” Sakumo said, voice coming nearer, “but you do, lovely.”

Orochimaru scowled up at his mate from his heap of pillows and books. “Since you bring it up, do you have something to make it better?” he asked sharply.

“I do.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru’s frown eased in his surprise. “I brought-”

“Mama!”

Orochimaru twitched, turning just in time for Kabuto to hit him in the chest and knock him backwards, book falling from his fingers. “Kabuto!”

“Hello Mama!” Tenzou echoed, tucking himself just as snugly but less energetically against Orochimaru’s side.

“Tenzou.” Orochimaru hugged them both close. “You’re home.”

“Brought them back safe, Mama. Just as I promised.” Kakashi said, and Orochimaru’s throat tightened.

“Good cubling.” Orochimaru said, and beckoned.

Kakashi appeared just beyond his brothers, grinning, and Orochimaru laughed as he hooked his fingers into Kakashi’s collar and brought him down. Kabuto giggled and Tenzou gently shifted to stabilise him as Kakashi, much heavier than either of his brothers, settled down with them only to be squashed by his father.

Orochimaru found himself almost buried under the combined weight of his family and laughed as he relaxed into their warmth.

“Told you I could make it better.” Sakumo said against his ear, and kissed his cheek.

“Smug wolf.” Orochimaru said fondly, and ran his fingers through Tenzou’s hair.

Chapter 239: Warmth

Chapter Text

Orochimaru stirred a bit, taking a deep breath and beginning to turn. A soft padding sound reached him, and then he felt the shift of the kakebuton as something tugged it behind him. His lips curved and he relaxed once more.

Sakumo nosed the nape of his neck, settling down atop the kakebuton but curling close, a warm bulwark at his back. Orochimaru murmured an absent greeting and drifted back to sleep, nestling into his mate’s warmth.

Chapter 240: Sick (ill-advised mousies)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Kabuto groaned miserably, curling up a little more and pushing his face into Mama’s cool hand.

“Poor silly hatchling.” Mama said, with a soft chiding noise. “Whyever did you try that?”

Kabuto sniffed. “Aniki . . . and Mama . . . just like. . .” Dad ate that way, too, and Kabuto had been very proud of himself when he caught the mousie; it had taken weeks of trying and practise.

Mama bent and kissed his temple. “Be careful, little one. I don’t want you to make yourself sick like this again.”

Kabuto sighed, pressing his face into his pillow.

Chapter 241: Proper Cooking

Chapter Text

“Feeling better?”

Kabuto sighed, but nodded in answer, though he didn’t lift his head. Kakashi ran his fingers through Kabuto’s hair and scritched the back of his neck, making him squirm.

“Hungry again yet?” Kakashi asked, and Kabuto was, but it just made him sad. “Come on,” Kakashi rubbed Kabuto’s side, “‘s my turn to make dinner, and I promise it won’t make you, or Tenzou, sick.”

“I know you wouldn’t.” Kabuto said as he sat up, though he sighed again, and slid off the bed to follow Kakashi out for dinner.

“Tenzou suggested it, maybe it’ll make you feel better?” Kakashi suggested, and Kabuto opened his mouth to ask, but Kakashi shooed him off to wash up first.

Kabuto was the last one to the table, but Dad just ruffled his hair when he apologised and climbed into his seat. He stretched up for a better look as Kakashi brought a platter closer for him to reach, then his eyes widened.

“Teriyaki mousies?” Mama said, amused. “It has been a while.”

“I thought it would be nice to have them again.” Tenzou said, reaching across the table and snagging a skewer from the platter. “It’s the best thing Aniki makes.”

Kabuto hesitated.

“Only because you don’t like fish much.” Dad countered, and Tenzou wrinkled his nose and took a bite.

“They’re cooked and there’s nothing that will make you sick, hatchling.” Mama said gently, catching Kabuto’s eye.

“Just like shrublet otouto,” Kakashi said, squeezing his shoulder, “you only have to be a little more careful, that’s all. You still did a good job catching the mousies all by yourself.”

Kabuto smiled a little and helped himself.

Chapter 242: Laundry Day

Chapter Text

Sakumo shook out the kakebuton, nose wrinkling as he flicked water in his own face, and then hauled it up higher, throwing it over the line to dry. He pulled the second one from the basket and moved along, stepping carefully over Kakashi as his cub played around his feet, giggling and growling softly.

“Dad?”

“Cub?” Sakumo returned, adjusting the kakebuton where it hung. It was warming up, so some of these would probably be going into storage when they were dry, but there was enough of a chill lingering that particularly given his mate’s dislike for the cold, Sakumo would still be sleeping under most of them for a while yet.

“Play?” Kakashi asked, one hand curling into the fabric of his trousers.

Sakumo looked down to meet bright eyes and a hopeful grin. “Just let me finish this load of laundry, then we can play.” he promised.

Kakashi grinned a little wider, then scampered off to the basket, peering into it. “Help?”

“I think everything in there is a little too big for you, cub.” Sakumo said fondly, ruffling Kakashi’s hair as he passed, collecting the basket and moving it along with him this time. “I’ll be done soon.”

Chapter 243: New Genin

Chapter Text

“Kakashi!” Sakumo snagged Kakashi around the shoulders and pulled him into an embrace, nuzzling his cheek briefly. “How did it go today?”

“Well,” Kakashi paused, and Orochimaru eyed them as he poured the tea, “they passed.”

“That’s good.” Orochimaru said, carrying the tray to the table. “Everything else can be taught. In theory.” he added dryly.

“Good! I’m happy for you.” Sakumo said brightly, ruffling Kakashi’s hair - he snapped his teeth lazily as he sank into a chair - before he pulled away. “Who have you got?”

“The eldest Uzumaki, the last Uchiha, and Haruno; she has civilian parents.” Kakashi said, accepting a cup of tea. “Uzumaki and Uchiha. . .” he trailed off with a sigh. “They don’t get along. Loudly.

“Keep them too busy to squabble?” Sakumo suggested with a sly little grin.

Kakashi snorted, smirking sharply, his eyes glinting. “I’m sure they’ll have better things to do than fight each other soon.” he said mildly.

“Who’s fighting?” Kabuto asked as he stepped through the doorway, lowering the book his was reading and blinking a little owlishly.

“Two of my new genin.” Kakashi supplied, and Kabuto sniffed disdainfully. Orochimaru hid a laugh in his teacup. “What have you been up to, otouto?”

“Do you really want to know?” Kabuto huffed, and Orochimaru hissed a sharp scold for the tone. “Sorry.” Kabuto ducked his head, sidling over to the table. He dropped into a chair beside Kakashi and showed the book he was reading as Kakashi nodded.

Chapter 244: Another Son (Konoha standard parenting)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“You and your . . . you’re expecting a third child now?”

Sakumo grinned. “Yes!” He flipped his mission report idly in one hand as he turned to face Waya.

“Congratulations. . .”

“Thank you.” Sakumo hummed happily.

Waya tilted his head, moving forwards along with Sakumo and glancing past him at the mission desk. “I heard it’s a daughter this time?”

“No, another boy.” Sakumo shook his head, wondering faintly, as he often did, at what people found interesting enough to make the rounds of the Konoha rumour mill. Surely his family should hardly be of that much interest to people who weren’t close with them.

How.” Waya said, crossing his arms.

Sakumo focused on him again. “Ah. . . What?” he asked uncertainly.

How do you have another child? And another son, even? How do you even get your wife, or- And three boys?” Waya gestured jerkily, scowling.

Sakumo’s eyes narrowed, but he didn’t point out that Orochimaru was not his wife. Again. “You want more cubs?” he asked flatly. “I would hardly know you have the one - do you ever spend time with the little one?”

“Of course not, that’s Bianko’s job.” Waya said, and Sakumo’s hackles prickled. “Babies are noisy and messy and just awful to be around.” He shook his head.

“Hatake-san?”

Sakumo turned and realised the mission desk chuunin was beckoning him forwards. He ignored Waya and stepped up. “Sorry.” He dipped his head and passed over the scroll.

“Thank you for your hard work.”

Sakumo managed a smile in return and left as quickly as might be polite, ignoring Waya and heading home to his mate and cubs.

Chapter 245: Sage and Succinct (Konoha standard parenting)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo cuddled his cubs closer, trying to push away the irritating, distressing words from his fellow jounin as they waited at the mission desk.

Kakashi snuffled against his side and snuggled under his arm, stretching up to nose his collarbone, and Sakumo laughed a little, rubbing his eldest’s back.

“What’s wrong, Dad?” Kakashi asked, fingers curling into his shirt.

Sakumo frowned slightly, looking down at his curious, concerned cub. He sighed. “I. . . Some people,” he said carefully, “want children, but they don’t . . . really want children. They want little markers of prestige to make themselves feel . . . bigger. Better.”

Kakashi frowned slightly, then gave a sage little nod. “Idiots.” he said, and Sakumo blinked, stifling a laugh.

The smile still tugged at the corners of his lips, though.

“You are like a small, succinct version of your mother sometimes, cub.” Sakumo said, and Kakashi grinned brightly, wriggling happily against him.

Sakumo bowed his head to nuzzle Kakashi’s brow, shifting Tenzou in his other arm carefully and feeling a little better about things.

Chapter 246: Better (Konoha standard parenting)

Chapter Text

“Hello, dear ones.”

Sakumo tilted his head back with a smile. “Hello, lovely.”

Orochimaru smiled back, resting a hand on his stomach - just beginning to show the swell of their cub - and pausing just inside the door. “How are you, then?”

“Dad said I was succinct! And like you! And people are stupid!” Kakashi said before Sakumo could answer, sitting up a little, wriggling happily again.

“Mm, seems as though your father has been to the mission desk today. . .” Orochimaru observed, moving closer. Kakashi scrambled across Sakumo’s arm towards his mother, and Sakumo smiled, pulling Tenzou up higher on his chest as he sat up a little more. “Or perhaps the jounin standby station.”

“Mission desk.” Sakumo agreed, sighing.

Kakashi tugged at Orochimaru’s pants, and he bent and scooped up their eldest, rubbing noses with him when he stretched up with a happy whine. Sakumo smiled at them, heart aching, and hugged Tenzou a little tighter, trying not to wake him.

“People are idiots.” Orochimaru agreed, his voice soft and warm. “Did you make Dad feel better?”

Kakashi hummed, looking around at Sakumo with a perplexed expression.

Sakumo laughed. “Of course he did. Just like you always do, lovely.”

Orochimaru smiled at him fondly, shifting Kakashi in his arms.

Chapter 247: Laundry Helper

Chapter Text

“Wolf-heart?”

“Yes, lovely?” Sakumo called back, hefting the laundry basket higher and freeing a hand to close the door behind himself. “Working on the laundry.” he added, heading towards his mate’s voice.

“Thank you. Have you seen Kakashi?” Orochimaru asked, frowning slightly.

Sakumo grinned. “Of course. Cub?”

Orochimaru’s brows drew together. “Sakumo?”

The basket shuddered in his arms and Kakashi’s head popped up from underneath one of Orochimaru’s mission shirts. “Hi Mama!”

“He’s helping.” Sakumo said dryly, grinning. Kakashi wriggled.

Orochimaru laughed. “All right, have fun.”

Sakumo gave him a nod and continued on his way to the bedroom with his burden as Kakashi bounced in the clean clothes.

Chapter 248: Quiet

Chapter Text

“Ah, ahh, lovely. . .” Sakumo fought to keep his voice low, threading his fingers through Orochimaru’s silky hair and cupping the back of his head.

Orochimaru cast a sultry gaze up to meet his own, thin mouth stretched around his cock and pressing down nearly to the base. Sakumo panted, gasping for breath, muscles tightening, and Orochimaru made some sort of low, thrumming sound around his cock.

Sakumo’s eyes squeezed shut as he clamped his jaw, arching, his whole body driving up to push his cock deeper into his mate’s mouth as he pulled at Orochimaru’s head. He smoothed one hand over Sakumo’s thigh and swallowed around the head of his cock.

Sakumo bucked, knot swelling, barely able to feel the ache in his jaw and throat from holding back his voice as pleasure raged through him and his mate gentled him through it with a light touch, swallowing his release and keeping an easy pressure on his knot.

As he came down Sakumo stroked Orochimaru’s hair apologetically, free hand wandering out over his shoulder.

Orochimaru gave Sakumo a pleased, warm look, shifting his weight to rest on one arm beneath his chest. He waited until Sakumo’s knot subsided on its own, then slowly pulled away, tongue stroking along the length of his cock, and moved up Sakumo’s body.

“Mmm, lovely. . .” Sakumo nuzzled Orochimaru as he came close enough, winding both arms around him. Orochimaru allowed himself to be drawn into a kiss that tasted of Sakumo’s own pleasure and made him throb with satisfaction.

“Good wolf.” Orochimaru said as he pulled away, eyes heavy-lidded, kissing Sakumo’s cheek. “Staying quiet.”

“You asked.” Sakumo said without thinking, and Orochimaru laughed softly, fingers winding into Sakumo’s hair and tugging lightly.

“You truly wouldn’t care if the rest of the squad heard you howling your pleasure with me, would you?” Orochimaru asked, lips tilting into a smirk. Sakumo rumbled low and rolled one shoulder. Orochimaru chuckled again and kissed him, shallow and lingering. “No, I suppose not. Still, best this way.”

Sakumo huffed, and Orochimaru nuzzled him. “Keep yourself quietly under control like this, and you may have me every night we're here.” he said, and arched against Sakumo. “Please.” he added, eyes hot.

Sakumo shivered, reaching for Orochimaru’s renewed erection and stroking him firmly. He was still a bit sticky-slick from his first orgasm, before he had pushed Sakumo down to suck his cock. “I can be quiet if you wish it, lovely.” Sakumo promised, and stroked a little faster as Orochimaru shuddered and writhed under his caresses. He bowed his head to bring his mouth to his mate’s shoulder and slender throat, kissing and nipping gently.

Chapter 249: New Trick

Chapter Text

“Get off me, you oaf!” Orochimaru snapped, and Jiraiya laughed, pressing him down a little harder, arms twisted behind himself and pinned beneath Jiraiya’s weight near the shoulders.

“Aw, are you a helpless snake?” Jiraiya teased, shifting a bit but not getting off Orochimaru quite yet, only grinding him into the dirt of the training ground a little more.

Orochimaru hissed, then opened his jaw, and Jiraiya yelped as Kusanagi snicked out, blade-first, and stopped just shy of his face, the blade filling Orochimaru’s mouth. Orochimaru glared, and Jiraiya scrambled backwards hurriedly, nearly tripping over one of Orochimaru’s legs as he went.

Orochimaru untangled himself and rose gracefully, tilting his head back and swallowing the sword down once more.

“Honestly, Jiraiya,” Tsunade said with a huff, “when has Orochimaru ever been helpless. You idiot.” She swatted him lightly; it was still enough to send him stumbling.

Orochimaru shook his head, flicking a bit of broken rock off his sleeve, and Sakumo stepped forwards, reaching out and pausing, meeting Orochimaru’s eyes. He smiled slightly, and Sakumo completed the gesture, brushing dust off his clothes.

Orochimaru stretched, then brushed a hand over Sakumo’s cheek, and he leaned into the touch, half closing his eyes. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you use that trick before.” he said, and Orochimaru blinked.

“Oh? Have you not?” Sakumo shook his head, and Orochimaru frowned slightly. “Does it . . . make you uncomfortable?” he asked, arching a brow.

Sakumo blinked. “Why would it?” he asked, and kissed the heel of Orochimaru’s hand lightly.

“Does it make you have questions?” Orochimaru asked, voice painfully dry. “About . . . what I can do?”

Sakumo frowned. “. . .perhaps? Like many of your tricks, lovely, I’ve never seen anyone use a weapon that way. How do you prevent hurting yourself?” he asked, and Orochimaru’s expression went still for a moment, then softened. Sakumo hummed, uncertain why.

“It’s easy enough.” Orochimaru said, stroking his cheek and then drawing him in for a light kiss. “With practise. For me, at least.” he said with a smirk.

Chapter 250: Catching Up (new understanding)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru paused two steps into the inn, then peeled off from his temporary teammates with a wave of his hand. “I didn’t expect to see you here already.” he said as he reached Jiraiya’s table.

Jiraiya looked up and laughed. “Early, yeah?” He shook his head. “It’s been going smoothly enough, we’re just ahead of schedule. Unlike you.” He smirked.

Orochimaru arched a brow, then narrowed his eyes at his old friend. “Indeed.” He settled opposite Jiraiya as they caught up on non-classified news, and Orochimaru amused himself finding a new way to startle Jiraiya every time his attention wandered to one of the serving women or other patrons.

Jiraiya finally leaned closer. “Your wolf is up in seventeen, surely you’d rather be making him twitch than me?” He huffed sulkily.

Orochimaru laughed. “I’d rather be doing something to him, at least.” he allowed, rising and trailing his fingers over Jiraiya’s shoulder as he passed. “I’ll leave you to your own . . . fun.” he added dryly, and made his way to the stairs as Jiraiya’s loud laugh filled the room, a smile tugging at his lips.

Chapter 251: Good Time (new understanding)

Chapter Text

“You made good time.”

Sakumo bolted upright at the soft, silky tone, already turning to face the door. “Lovely!”

By the time Orochimaru closed the door behind himself Sakumo had his mate in his arms, nuzzling close as Orochimaru laughed, soft and fond, and stroked his hair.

“I’m pleased to see you, too, my wolf.” Orochimaru said quietly, winding one arm tightly around Sakumo’s waist.

He nipped Orochimaru’s jaw fondly, then pulled back enough to meet him in a warm kiss. Sakumo rubbed their noses together, rumbling with pleasure.

Orochimaru laughed again, leaning into him, eyes closing.

“I have new sympathy . . . and respect . . . for you, lovely.” Sakumo said after a moment, one hand roaming up and down Orochimaru’s back, appreciating having his mate in his arms and not quite able to stop.

He opened his eyes again, a puzzled look showing in them. “Hm?”

“You have somehow been travelling with- with-” Sakumo bared his teeth but kept every insult fighting to spill out behind them. “And you have never stabbed him. In his sleep. In all these years.”

Orochimaru blinked, then laughed, head dipping back with it this time, baring his long neck. Sakumo couldn’t resist nestling against it once more, almost tasting Orochimaru’s laughter as he pressed his mouth to pale skin.

“Is that why you’ve made such good time?” Orochimaru asked, kneading the nape of his neck and making him growl softly, shivering with pleasure. “You couldn’t stand being alone in his company any longer?”

“I do feel badly,” Sakumo admitted with a hum, “for inflicting him on this village instead. But yes.”

“My poor wolf.” Orochimaru crooned. “Let me put him out of your mind. . .”

Sakumo raised his head as Orochimaru gently tugged at his jaw, and found himself being drawn into a warm, consuming kiss, his mate’s hands steadying him and holding him close at once.

Chapter 252: Stabbing Fears

Chapter Text

Catching his breath and rewrapping his knuckles after a series of drills had worn at the bandages there, Sakumo laughed a little as Dan backed Orochimaru into a corner only to use a shunshin to dart away when he brought out Kusanagi in a rush.

“Don’t you ever worry he’s going to stab you in the face,” Jiraiya said beside him, and Sakumo looked up, brows drawing together, “or worse,” he gestured illustratively, and Sakumo grimaced, “with that when you’re with him?” Jiraiya gestured again and Sakumo resisted the impulse to punch him.

“No.” Sakumo said shortly, and Jiraiya’s brows rose. Sakumo rolled his eyes. “Since I make it a point never to do anything to make my mate feel I deserve being stabbed. . . Particularly when I’m hoping he’ll kiss me.” He arched an eyebrow pointedly.

Jiraiya harrumphed and settled beside him, and Sakumo shook his head, going back to the wraps on his hands with a glance at where his mate was now defending against Tsunade, Kusanagi once more nowhere in sight.

Chapter 253: Just Like Mama (snake swallowing)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo’s eyes widened as his gaze fell on his cub. “Kakashi!” He rushed to them, seizing Kakashi by the scruff and the snake halfway into his mouth around the middle, pulling it away as he lifted Kakashi. “What are you doing?” he demanded as the damp snake wound around his hand and wrist.

“Swallow snakes like Mama!” Kakashi said, wriggling a bit as he dangled from Sakumo’s grip.

“Yes yes.” the snake agreed, with a flikflik of their tongue as they wound a little higher over Sakumo’s knuckles. “Sneaky trick like the older snakes!”

Sakumo was silent for a moment, then he licked his lips. “No, cub. No.” he said again, looking at the snake.

They flicked their tongue again. “Why not?”

“Why, Dad? I can do it! Just like Mama!” Kakashi whined, and Sakumo closed his eyes and sighed.

No.” Sakumo said firmly. “I will speak to your mother,” he added, meeting Kakashi’s eyes, “and you will not try this again until your mother discusses it with you, and not unless he teaches you how to do it properly. Is that clear?”

Kakashi whined again, but agreed, and the snake hissed their own sulky agreement.

Sakumo put them both down, and the snake slid back into Kakashi’s hands cosily, then up to coil around his neck, a soft blue band. Sakumo knew Kakashi wouldn’t hurt any of them willingly, but he couldn’t help but be anxious after what he had walked in to see.

He remained and watched over them as they played, waiting for Orochimaru to come home.

Chapter 254: Accident Aversion (snake swallowing)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Lovely, we need to talk about Kakashi.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru looked up, brows rising.

“Whatever happened?” Orochimaru asked, beckoning him closer. “You’ve been tense all evening.”

Sakumo opened his mouth, then hesitated, closing it.

“Sakumo?” Orochimaru asked, concern blooming on his face.

Sakumo settled nearer, leaning into his mate’s outstretched hand. “You may need to teach Kakashi how to,” he gestured vaguely, “summon snakes and spit them out the way you do. Before he accidentally eats one of the summons trying to teach himself and copy you.”

“. . .I beg your pardon?” Orochimaru said faintly.

“I found him earlier with Aoi halfway in his mouth. They told me they were just trying to do as you and the older snakes do.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru blinked several times, then looked out at Kakashi tumbling through the grass just inside the circle of light cast by the torches in the garden.

“This was. . .” Orochimaru shook his head slightly. “Not a problem I foresaw.”

“Nor I.” Sakumo agreed wryly. He hesitated. “I am . . . glad I found them when I did. I know they would never hurt each other on purpose. . .”

“But an accident can cause just as much harm,” Orochimaru finished, “and if they thought they could do it. . . I will speak with them.”

Sakumo kissed his cheek. “Thank you, lovely. I would have tried, but it’s . . . not really my area.” he admitted. Orochimaru laughed, and he smiled, nuzzling his mate fondly.

Chapter 255: Lesson Learned (snake swallowing)

Chapter Text

“Dad said not to try it again until you talked to us, erm, taught us, but we can do it, I know we can, Mama!” Kakashi said determinedly, Aoi winding herself around his wrists and hands and hissing an agreement, looking up at Orochimaru with just as much childish determination.

“Precious,” Orochimaru said, brushing his fingers through Kakashi’s fringe, then trailing one fingertip over Aoi’s head, “little one, there is more to the trick than simply swallowing snakes.”

Both little ones looked up at him with curious eyes.

“If you merely swallow a snake,” Orochimaru said gently, “you will simply put them in your stomach to digest them, and we don’t eat our friends, Kakashi, do we?”

Kakashi’s eyes widened and he whimpered, a horrified expression overtaking his face. Aoi hissed thinly and wound herself into a ball in Kakashi’s arms, tucking her head under her own coils. “I don’t want to be eaten!” she cried, at the same time as Kakashi’s own denial.

“I- I would never- I’m sorry, Aoi!” Kakashi whimpered, and Aoi shuddered and squashed herself into the crook of his arm, winding around it and squeezing.

Orochimaru pulled them both into his lap, hugging them gently and rocking. “Hush, I am sure Aoi knows as well as I that you would never mean to hurt her.”

Aoi wound herself around Kakashi’s arm, using it to climb higher, and coiled snugly around his neck. “I thought we could do it, too.” Aoi said softly, tucking her head in the little dip by Kakashi’s collarbone.

“If you wish to learn,” Orochimaru said, kissing the top of Kakashi’s head, “then I shall teach you how to do it safely. When you are a little older.”

Chapter 256: Mine

Chapter Text

“Honestly, you imbecile, it’s not as though-”

“Come on, Orochi!” Jiraiya interrupted, laughing loudly enough to be just shy of painful. He reached out to Orochimaru. “I know you-”

Mine.

The word was a loud, low rumble by Orochimaru’s ear just as strong hands slid around his waist, a broad body pressing snugly to his back. Jiraiya faltered, glancing at Sakumo. “Here now, I was just-” Sakumo snarled, this time without words, and Jiraiya drew his hand back. “Fine!”

Jiraiya strode off, and Orochimaru laughed, leaning backwards into his mate’s chest. Sakumo’s arms shifted and wound comfortably around him as Sakumo nuzzled his ear, rumbling happily, breath warm against his jaw. Orochimaru could smell the sharp apple scent of the sake he had drunk.

“Did you do that because you are actually drunk and jealous, or. . .” Orochimaru trailed off with a shiver as Sakumo nuzzled the length of his throat and kissed it lightly. “Wolf-heart. . .”

“He was frustrating you,” Sakumo said, his voice soft, and kissed Orochimaru’s throat again, “it made him go away, and it made you laugh.” His arms tightened around Orochimaru just a little, gentle, and Orochimaru’s throat tightened.

He slid his hands over Sakumo’s arms and squeezed lightly, melting into his mate’s embrace and turning to nudge his cheek against Sakumo’s.

“I love you, wolf-heart.”

Chapter 257: First Prey

Chapter Text

Orochimaru leaned forwards towards Kakashi, a good couple of paces between them on the floor, and Kakashi’s eyes locked on something in that space Sakumo couldn’t see past his mate. Kakashi nearly trembled, one little hand smacking against the blanket spread out beneath him as he pulled himself up.

“Come on, cubling. . .” Orochimaru all but crooned. “Don’t you want the mousie? Chase the tasty mousie. . .”

Kakashi lunged forwards, crawling towards his mother, and Orochimaru pulled away a little. This time when he moved Sakumo could see the little white object he was dragging across the blanket. A sugar mouse, he realised as Orochimaru tugged it by the tail, making it wiggle.

Kakashi twitched, following the movement, and lunged again, moving faster, his eyes locked on the little treat.

“Want the mousie, precious?” Orochimaru crooned, and the third time Kakashi lunged he caught the mouse, with a happy little growl. He bared his fangs and then looked up at his mother, and Orochimaru scooped Kakashi into his lap. “You caught it, precious! Good job, such a good little hunting cubling!” he praised, and Kakashi wriggled happily, biting into the treat.

Sakumo shook his head a little, stepping out into the main room, and Kakashi and Orochimaru both looked up at him. Kakashi still had the mouse half crammed into his mouth, and Sakumo had to stifle a laugh as he crouched nearby. “Impressive hunting, my cub.” he said, ruffling Kakashi’s hair as he wriggled happily again.

He looked over Kakashi’s head at Orochimaru, meeting his mate’s soft, warm gaze, and his heart squeezed. “Earlier than I was chasing prey. Comes from you, I imagine?” he asked lightly, and Orochimaru laughed and nodded, stroking Kakashi’s hair.

Chapter 258: Meditation

Chapter Text

It was easy enough for Sakumo to follow the path that their little genin had taken with their cub, though Minato had hidden his tracks likely out of habit. He paused as he found Minato lying stretched out on his back, eyes closed and stalks of grass waving around him in the breeze.

Kakashi was perhaps twenty paces away, bouncing and chasing after something; from his scrambling leaps Sakumo guessed something that hopped.

“Why are you lying out here in the sun?” Sakumo asked curiously, stepping closer. “I thought you were going to spend today training, working on your summoning?”

Minato smiled, eyes still closed. “I am meditating,” he said, spreading his arms a little wider, “on my inner serpent.”

Sakumo laughed softly, then louder as a small electric blue snake wound into view from near the crown of Minato’s head, then over his shoulder and collarbone. The snake hissed agreement and coiled loosely on Minato’s chest, wriggling happily as he stroked them, then let his hand fall to his side once more.

“Of course. How goes it?” Sakumo asked, settling cross-legged beside Minato, who sighed, smiling wider.

“It’s . . . enjoyable.” Minato said, wriggling a little himself.

He looked his age, young and happy - though not quite so content as Sakumo’s mate did when he indulged in an afternoon basking in the sun - and Sakumo smiled as he shifted his gaze to his cub chasing playfully through the tall grass.

Chapter 259: Battered (biggest bunnies)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Kakashi wriggled, nose twitching as he scented the big, fluffy bunny. He flexed his fingers and crept closer, stalking carefully.

The bunny moved, a few slow hops, and Kakashi hesitated, lowering his head.

Then it leapt and Kakashi stopped thinking, lunging out of his hiding place to pounce on his prey with a sharp little bark before it could escape.


“Ah, there you are, cub, I- Kami, Kakashi, what happened?” Sakumo cried, lunging to his cub and scooping Kakashi into his arms. “Your face!”

Kakashi sniffed, blood dripping from his nose. One of his eyes was swelling shut and there were raw scrapes across it and more than half his face. Sakumo crooned soothingly and rocked him.

“Bunny, Dad.” Kakashi said, reaching for his face. “Was hunting.” Sakumo caught his wrist before he could rub it and hurt himself worse, then froze.

“Someone,” Sakumo said, his voice very low and flat, “hurt you for chasing their bunnies?”

Yes, Kakashi sometimes chased things he shouldn’t, even when he had been told not to - sometimes even other children’s pets, though they did their best to keep him from that - but he was a cub. He tried his best, he just didn’t always understand. To strike him for it-

“No. . .” Kakashi said, looking confused. “It was the biggest bunny, Dad!” He held out his hands, very wide, and Sakumo shifted to keep hold of him as he overbalanced, questioning him on the size.

“Oh. Oh dear.” Sakumo said as Kakashi confirmed it, and bounced his cub gently, shaking his head. One of the new giant rabbits he had heard the Akimichi had brought in recently, he suspected, though it wouldn’t have been in their compound - Kakashi hadn’t gone so far today, and had been in one of the stretches of unclaimed forest - so perhaps one had escaped. “It’s as big as you are, maybe bigger, cub; that’s a bit ambitious for you just now.”

“And kicks really hard.” Kakashi sniffed, another little drip of blood oozing from his nose.

Sakumo sighed. “Yes, cub. Let’s get you cleaned up, all right? And no more going after the very big bunnies alone.”

“Yes, Dad.” Kakashi said poutily, leaning his head on Sakumo’s shoulder.

Notes:

Kakashi has found, of course, the Naruto world version of a Flemish giant. (Not a summon. Although I do have some thoughts for rabbit summonses for someone. . .)

next in arc

Chapter 260: Scrapes (biggest bunnies)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“It was so big, Dad!” Kakashi said again, though he held still as Orochimaru touched his jaw lightly. “Biggest bunny ever!”

“Yes, cub.” Sakumo said, amused. “I look forward to seeing one, sometime.”

“Mama! Biggest bunny ever!” Kakashi said, bouncing a little.

“Yes, cubling.” Orochimaru said dryly, and bent to kiss his brow. “So I could guess from the state of you.”

Orochimaru had mended the worst of Kakashi’s scratched-up face and carefully inspected his eye to be sure there was no damage to it, and Kakashi’s somewhat downcast manner had faded along with the deeper wounds.

“I’m sure would be tasty!” Kakashi said, wriggling as Orochimaru gave him a little nudge to signal he could move again.

“Bunny kicks are serious, cub.” Sakumo said as Kakashi scrambled into his lap, wrapping his cub into a hug, then turning him loose again as he squirmed.

“Kicks very hard, yes, yes.” Kakashi sighed, slouching against Orochimaru’s side.

“So no hunting the big bunnies by yourself.” Sakumo reminded him. “Not until you are much bigger.”

Kakashi nodded, yawning, and snuggled into Orochimaru’s side. “Some day. . .” he said sleepily, and Sakumo couldn’t quite quash a smile at his silly little cub.

Chapter 261: New Plan (biggest bunnies)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Nori!”

Nori squeezed around Kakashi’s waist, and then slithered down slowly, silent. Kakashi stroked his friend, and they watched together as the very large bunny moved out from the bush it had been halfway sheltered under.

Nori nosed Kakashi’s shin, then slithered off and out of sight, circling the small clearing.

Dad had forbidden him to go hunting for the big bunnies alone, and Kakashi had to admit they were very big and very kicky, he hadn’t done a very good job on his own. So he had asked Nori, who was big and steady and trusted to watch over Kakashi when his parents were away, to join him and help.

Together, Kakashi knew they would catch the bunny - and this time he was determined not to get any kicks in the face.

Chapter 262: Success (biggest bunnies)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Dad! Dad! Mama!”

Sakumo rose and headed for the door, curious to see what had his cub so excited. “What is- Kakashi!

Kakashi barked happily, though he wobbled on his feet as he took another step closer to the house. He had both arms wrapped around a rabbit as big as he was, and it was making it difficult for him to walk while carrying it.

“I did it, Dad!” Kakashi said, stumbling a little and hauling the rabbit higher. “Look! It’s the biggest bunny ever!”

“So it certainly seems.” Orochimaru said behind him, and Sakumo moved again, crossing to their cub and bending to help him with his burden.

“I am . . . very impressed, but Kakashi,” Sakumo straightened with the rabbit in his arms and was even more impressed; it was heavy, “cub, I said no hunting the big bunnies by yourself. You agreed that you understood.”

“I didn’t go alone.” Kakashi said, and Sakumo frowned. “Nori came with me!”

Nori slithered into sight, and Sakumo paused. “I. . . I meant you should not go without me or your mother.”

Kakashi frowned.

“Did you say that, though, wolf-heart?” Orochimaru asked quietly, and Sakumo sighed. He had not, no. “Nori, are you all right?”

Sakumo looked around and then winced as he realised that while Kakashi was free of any scrapes this time, so far as he could see, Nori’s snout and head were scraped up rather badly, at least.

“It is not too bad.” Nori said, but he cringed as Orochimaru reached for him, even as he allowed himself to be picked up. “I was not expecting the bunny to kick so much. Or so hard. Bunnies are meaner than they sound when hatchlingcub talks of hunts. . .”

Sakumo sighed and led the way inside with Kakashi bouncing at his side, Orochimaru crooned soothingly to Nori as he followed behind them.

Chapter 263: After Action (biggest bunnies)

Chapter Text

“There now, hold still.” Orochimaru murmured, smoothing salve on Nori’s battered snout. “Silly snake, how did you think it would go?”

“Am a good snake.” Nori said softly, sending Orochimaru a hopeful, innocent look, coils shifting over his legs.

“You are a naughty snake, you both should have known better.” Sakumo said, tsking at him and Kakashi, who knelt beside Orochimaru.

“I’m sorry, Nori.” Kakashi said, nuzzling the nearest bit of Nori’s coils. “I didn’t think you would get hurt.”

Nori hissed softly and wound himself around Kakashi’s shoulders. “I am not much hurt.” he said, and rubbed his head against Kakashi’s cheek.

“Nori will be all right.” Orochimaru assured them, smiling fondly at his son. “Nori, come back here, let me finish.”

Nori returned his head to Orochimaru’s lap and held still for the salve to be applied as Sakumo patiently explained to their son and Nori why he had forbidden Kakashi to go alone, and why Nori, whilst eminently trustworthy even to guard Kakashi, had not been the help and supervision intended.

Orochimaru remained quiet as he treated Nori’s scrapes and checked the rest of his body for any further injury; he didn’t disagree with his mate’s points, but Kakashi and Nori had done rather well for themselves, he thought, and Kakashi was very unlikely to ask Nori to help him in any adventure that would hurt him again. Orochimaru was confident in the assumption that he wouldn’t have this time if it had occurred to him Nori might get hurt.

Chapter 264: Crush

Chapter Text

“Sensei, Sensei, can I?” Anko was nearly vibrating, and Orochimaru shook his head amusedly, lips curving.

“Go, as you wish. Be careful.” he warned as she darted out of sight, making no sound on the tatami.

Orochimaru kept part of his attention focused in that direction as he slid off his flak jacket and began to put away the gear he had used, along with that he had loaned his favourite - and last remaining - student.

“Kashi!”

There was no sound following for a minute, then a sharp shriek and a harsh thud, and Orochimaru laughed a little as he collected the flak jacket and pack and headed to his bedroom.

He peeked into his son’s bedroom as he passed and found Anko kneeling on Kakashi’s back in the rucked-up mess of his futon. Orochimaru paused, and Kakashi bucked and threw her off, pouncing in the same movement and pinning her beneath him.

Anko whined and Kakashi laughed as he sat up, ruffling his hair with one hand as he yawned. Anko was up herself as soon as he was off her, and she planted herself at his side, just shy of pressing against him.

“Welcome back.” Kakashi said dryly, and then glanced up, meeting Orochimaru’s eyes, smiling a little more. “Have a good trip?”

“It was a boring mission, why do idiot noblemen always lose things so easily and why do we have to get them back?” Anko said sulkily, and Orochimaru turned as a touch ghosted over his hip. He smiled at his mate as Sakumo greeted him with a soft kiss.

“Because they’re idiots,” Kakashi said, “and they pay ridiculous sums of money for us to return their possessions. Or people. Whatever.”

“. . .fine but I don’t have to like it.” Anko huffed, and Orochimaru laughed silently as he passed some of his burden to his mate and led the way into their bedroom.

Kakashi echoed his laughter, louder, behind him, and Anko protested noisily.

“You know, I assumed she might grow out of that crush.” Sakumo said as Orochimaru hung up his vest.

“It appears she may be growing into it, instead.” Orochimaru said with a slanted smile. Indeed, as she had begun to show a little more maturity in it and a little less madness with her attempts to get Kakashi’s attention, his interactions with her had softened as well. While it remained to be seen how things would develop between them. . .

Orochimaru hummed, drawn from his thoughts again as his mate’s hands slid over his sides, drawing him backwards into an embrace.

Chapter 265: Dealing Death

Chapter Text

“Dad?”

Sakumo startled awake, more surprised that his cub had come so close and he hadn’t woken until called for than by Kakashi’s presence in the bedroom. “Cub?” he asked, struggling a bit to make him out in the dark.

Kakashi crawled up to his side and curled up there, and Sakumo wrapped his arm around his cub, crooning soothingly. “We. . . There was a guest sensei today, a desk chuunin. . .”

Sakumo hummed as Kakashi paused, wondering what had brought Kakashi here in the middle of the night. He hadn’t seemed upset when he came home from the Academy, nor over the course of the evening before bed.

“He said it’s our job sometimes to kill people, but it should feel bad when we do.” Kakashi said, and whined. “I- Dad, is that true?”

Sakumo frowned. Feeling guilty for dealing out death was a luxury a desk ninja could afford; not a burden wisely carried by those who ran active missions, particularly of higher ranks.

His cub was still a student, but he would be a ninja, and Sakumo knew there was no way Kakashi wouldn’t strive for - and reach, no doubt - skill and rank to match himself and his mate one day.

“It can be our job to kill people,” Sakumo said, and hugged Kakashi, “and how you feel about it . . . is very personal, cub. It’s not the same as hunting, but it may be as easy for you - or it may be painful, as it is for that chuunin.”

“How do you feel about it?” Kakashi asked astutely, resting his sharp little chin on Sakumo’s shoulder.

Sakumo hummed, casting his mind back through many battles. “It’s a duty, at times. It is not one I enjoy, but neither do I let it burden me.” He paused. “And if anyone threatens you or your mother, I will delight in bringing their death, and not feel a moment’s regret for it.”

Kakashi hummed, relaxing a little.

“You don’t need to know now, or even to think about it so much, cub.” Sakumo said gently, hugging Kakashi tighter. “You’re still a student. My cub.”

Kakashi laughed, but cuddled into the hug. He yawned, and Sakumo echoed him, shifting a little. Kakashi made no move to leave, and Sakumo didn’t try to nudge him away.

Chapter 266: Nightmares and Pack

Chapter Text

A soft cry had Orochimaru out of bed and on his feet before he had identified the voice. The house was otherwise quiet and still, so while he still rushed to his son’s room, his mate at his heels, he didn’t expect to find any threat there.

Opening the door, Orochimaru immediately heard Kabuto’s quiet crying, and moved carefully across the dark room. Sakumo followed more slowly, lighting a single candle near the door, and revealing before Orochimaru reached the futon that Kabuto wasn’t alone, but leaning in his brother’s arms.

Kakashi looked up, sleepy but focused, and Orochimaru smiled, stroking his cheek affectionately before sinking down beside them and wrapping his arms around both of the boys. Kabuto sniffled and turned from Kakashi to bury his face against Orochimaru’s chest.

Sakumo joined them, wrapping one arm around Kakashi and rubbing Kabuto’s back slowly. “What happened, cub?” he asked softly, and Kabuto’s breathing hitched.

“It’s all right, little one.” Orochimaru soothed. “Are you all right?”

“Nigh- Nightmare.” Kabuto managed across a weak little sob, and Kakashi whined, squeezing his shoulder. “It’s- I- Silly.” he said, with a sniff, and Orochimaru hissed angrily, hugging him closer.

“It is not.” Sakumo said, tone gentle and expression suggesting he was only just barely managing to keep it so.

“You’re not alone.” Kakashi said gently, and Orochimaru smiled at him. He nodded shallowly, nudging against Kabuto’s side.

“You are never to be alone again, my little one.” Orochimaru soothed, running his fingers through Kabuto’s hair and then hugging him tight once more as Sakumo shifted closer.

Sakumo kissed the top of his head. “You have a pack now.” he said quietly, and Orochimaru smiled, fond and amused. “We’ll always be here for you.”

A little more tension melted out of Kabuto’s slight body, and he reached one hand out for Sakumo, fingers curling tightly into his shirt.

Chapter 267: Drip

Chapter Text

Orochimaru raised his head at the sound of . . . something dripping? He turned only to see Sakumo, rather damp, carrying their sodden son inside. Kakashi sneezed, sending several more drops of water flying from his hair and clothes.

“What happened?” Orochimaru asked, putting his book aside and running his hand over Masami, coiled halfway over his thigh.

“We tried to pounce on a fish.” Sakumo said, lips twitching. Orochimaru’s brows rose. “In one of the larger streams.”

“And how did that go?” Orochimaru asked dryly as Kakashi rubbed his face sleepily.

“You’ll note I’m carrying a half-drowned cub and not a fish.” Sakumo replied lightly, and Orochimaru smothered a laugh. “A bath and some dinner for you and then bedtime, cub.” he said, rubbing Kakashi’s back.

Kakashi yawned. “Sleepy. . . Had a bath. . .”

“Doesn’t count, sorry.” Sakumo said as he crossed the room. “We’ll make it quick.”

“Yes, Dad. . .” Kakashi’s head nestled on Sakumo’s shoulder, spiky hair dripping down the back of his vest.

Chapter 268: Water Worries (swimming lessons)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“It’s all right, cub!” Sakumo soothed, hugging Kakashi tight as he whimpered and clung. “You’ll be safe, I won’t let go, I promise.”

Orochimaru frowned a little from the water. “If he’s not ready. . .” he trailed off, meeting his mate’s gaze. If Kakashi was so frightened he wouldn’t let himself be soothed, this wouldn’t teach him anything except to be more frightened.

Kakashi twisted to look at Orochimaru and whimpered again, higher and reedy. “Mama!” he cried, clearly distressed.

Orochimaru moved towards them. “I’m all right, precious.” he offered comfortingly as he made his way towards the bank.

“Do you think your Mama would be so easily endangered?” Sakumo teased gently, and Orochimaru glared at him, but Kakashi relaxed a little as he watched Orochimaru.

“Hatchling.”

Kakashi’s head turned towards the snake’s soft voice, and Orochimaru stopped moving and watched as Hiro slithered into the water. His thick body could probably have encircled the entirety of the small pool, but he fit himself into it instead, staying at the surface.

Kakashi made a soft confused noise, but watched intently.

Hiro turned and lifted his head a little. “Do you not wish to learn to swim?” he asked, and looped himself behind Orochimaru. He stroked the serpent’s broad head and down his body as he moved. “You will be safe here with your parents, and the water is nice.” he hissed lazily, coils undulating comfortably and sending ripples across the pool.

Kakashi wriggled, fingers clutching tight to Sakumo’s shoulders and hair. He whined.

“It’s up to you, cub.” Sakumo said quietly, rubbing his back.

Kakashi wriggled again, then sniffed. “Swim! Swim with Mama! Hiro!” He still looked uncertain, but his face was set with determination.

Hiro hissed, looping himself closer to the bank again, and Orochimaru sighed, relaxing a little. “Thank you, Hiro.” he said softly, and Hiro rubbed against his side.

“He is a brave hatchling.” Hiro said, head turning towards Sakumo as he carried Kakashi carefully into the water.

Notes:

Hiro is at least around thirty feet long and based off the top size range of anacondas or a little beyond. He is a very big, thick snake.

next in arc

Chapter 269: Splashes (swimming lessons)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo rubbed Kakashi’s back, crooning soothingly as he felt his cub trembling a little. He sank backwards into the water and Kakashi tensed. “Dad!”

“It’s all right.” Sakumo assured him, squeezing Kakashi a little tighter. He’d already stopped moving, and the water lapped around them but reaching no higher than Kakashi’s lower ribs. “I’ve got you.”

Orochimaru leaned over and smiled at him past Kakashi’s tousled, damp head. Kakashi looked around. “Mama.”

“Not enjoying the water, my cubling?” Orochimaru asked softly, and Kakashi whimpered, nestling closer to Sakumo’s chest, but kicking his feet back and forth in the water a little. Sakumo felt the slide of scales along his lower back and restrained a twitch.

“Hiro.” Kakashi observed, and a broad head rose from the water nearby. He frowned. “Like water?”

Hiro hissed, circling all three of them and looping around to slide past Kakashi’s legs. “I do.”

Kakashi whined, looking confused, and Sakumo shifted, kissing his brow. “It is all right if you don’t, cub.” But he would learn to at least be comfortable in it, and swim, as he grew, for his own safety if nothing else.

“Splashy.” Kakashi observed. “Bigger than bath.”

“Indeed. Hiro doesn’t really fit in the bath.” Orochimaru said wryly.

Kakashi giggled, then loosened his grip on Sakumo to reach for Orochimaru. Sakumo moved closer and Orochimaru opened his arms to let Kakashi settle into them, sinking down as Hiro coiled closer around them, taking Kakashi just a little lower this time.

Kakashi shivered and wrapped one hand into Orochimaru’s hair, watching Hiro’s dark, dappled coils wind nearer. Sakumo lingered within arm’s reach as well as Orochimaru moved lazily back and forth, the water rippling around them, and Kakashi’s gaze followed the movement in the water.

Chapter 270: Practise (swimming lessons)

Chapter Text

“Ready, cub?” Sakumo asked, and Kakashi huffed. He hadn’t gotten much happier about swimming lessons over the past weeks, but at least he no longer seemed panicked in the water.

“I’m going to let Hiro support you.” Orochimaru said gently, loosening his arms and putting Kakashi away from himself as Hiro’s broad body - a little thicker, Sakumo thought, than Kakashi’s - rose through the water.

Kakashi whined, but nodded, transferring his hold to Hiro’s scales as he came close. Hiro hissed softly and his body rippled gently side to side, the water lapping over on top of him. It didn’t come higher than Kakashi’s waist where he sat, however, and he frowned but didn’t get upset.

“Come here?” Sakumo suggested, holding his hands out and coming a little closer.

Kakashi huffed again, frowning, then took a deep breath, visibly bracing himself. He lunged into the water, splashing and wriggling messily, and Hiro looped around to support him as he bobbed a little lower. Kakashi was mostly moving forwards, though the wild splashes were probably tiring him without providing much help with that.

Sakumo surreptitiously closed a bit of the distance between them all the same, though, catching Kakashi out of the water and lifting him high when he came close. “Good job!”

“Swimming.” Kakashi said, and shook his head, throwing water out of his sodden hair.

“You are. Very well done, precious.” Orochimaru praised warmly from the other side of Hiro, some lengths away.

Kakashi smiled a little, looking around at him. Then he looked up at Sakumo. “Swim to Mama?”

“When you’re ready.” Sakumo demurred, rubbing his back, and Kakashi sighed, head settling on his shoulder.

Chapter 271: Out of Place

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo grinned as Kakashi appeared amongst the children spilling out from the Academy doors. “Hello, cub. Did you-” he paused as Kakashi reached him; his cub looked unhappy, certainly not like he had enjoyed a ‘good day’ at school.

Sakumo frowned.

“Hello, Dad.” Kakashi butted gently against his leg and Sakumo ruffled his hair, guiding him along as they headed for home.

Sakumo gently coaxed him into sharing a bit about his day as they walked, only for him to break off mid-sentence as they stepped through the door and he immediately darted towards his mother. Crouching to put away Kakashi’s discarded sandals along with his own, Sakumo smiled as his mate scooped up their cub and nuzzled him affectionately in greeting.

Safely home, Kakashi settled and quickly looked a little happier, though his manner wavered a bit as they prompted him to tell them about his day.

“Did you make any new friends?” Sakumo asked gently when Kakashi had fallen silent with a little huff after complaining at length over the boring class material.

Kakashi sank down a little in his chair, whining softly. Orochimaru frowned, glancing up to meet Sakumo’s gaze, then back down to Kakashi, stroking his hair. “Precious?”

“No one. . . No one wanted to be friends.” Kakashi said in a tiny voice, but raised his head, expression set determinedly.

It made Sakumo’s heart squeeze painfully, remembering from many years ago, when they were children, the faint surprise in Orochimaru’s face, just barely visible for a heartbeat, when Sakumo had sought him out. He had . . . hoped for better, for their cub.

“I tried, Dad, I did.” Kakashi said, then whimpered, scrunching lower. Orochimaru rubbed the nape of his neck, and he relaxed just a little. “Even though they were slow, and weird, I tried to be friendly.”

“I’m sure you did, precious.” Orochimaru said, his voice warm but his face an expressionless mask.

“They said I was strange, and scary, and one of the other boys tried to pull my mask off, and sensei said we could share things if we wanted so I tried and they screeched,” he winced, rubbing one ear, “and then sensei told me I wasn’t allowed to share things if I was going to be mean. I wasn’t mean, Mama, I just offered to share my bento, like everyone else.”

Sakumo strangled back a growl.

“Why?” Kakashi asked plaintively, and Sakumo swallowed tightly, meeting his mate’s gaze, lost for what to tell their cub.

Notes:

Kakashi's bento included little cute mousie onigiri (with actual mouse filling) and it has been suggested Obito was the one to shriek at learning this. XP

Chapter 272: Misstep

Chapter Text

“Lovely! Are you all right?” Sakumo asked, sliding through the door and hurrying to his mate, sprawled with uncharacteristic gracelessness in the mess of a tipped-over basket of laundry and a handful of kunai from somewhere. He reached out. “Let me-”

“Sakumo.” Orochimaru said sharply, and he paused. “I am pregnant, not suffering a disabling injury.”

“I know, lovely. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an injury take you down so well without simply being shaken off.” Sakumo observed, and Orochimaru laughed, expression softening.

“I suppose so. Help me up?” Orochimaru asked with a crooked half-smile.

Sakumo restrained himself rather than scooping his mate off the floor as was his first impulse, only offering a hand and tucking the other behind Orochimaru’s back for support as he rose.

Are you all right?” Sakumo asked, sweeping one hand over his mate in a gentle assessment.

“I feel a bit foolish.” Orochimaru said dryly. “I am aware how much the cubling has changed my body, I must have misstepped. . .”

Sakumo kissed his cheek. “I’m glad you’re not hurt.”

“Indeed.” Orochimaru sighed, then drew Sakumo’s hand over his stomach. “Though our cub does seem rather disturbed.” he added as Sakumo felt an insistent shove against his palm and grinned.

Chapter 273: Cold Travel

Notes:

My dawn walks have been rather chilly. XD

Chapter Text

Orochimaru tucked his cloak a little closer and suppressed a shiver, huffing quietly. His scarf was wrapped around the lower half of his face and his breath was trapped inside it, which briefly warmed his cheeks and chin with every breath, only to then feel even colder, even beneath the insulating fabric.

“Are you all right?” Sakumo asked, and Orochimaru frowned as he turned to watch his mate catch up alongside him. “Here, let me-” he said, reaching out and catching Orochimaru’s hands.

He hissed, his partial gloves really not enough to keep his hands warm - not that they had been warm tucked inside his cloak either - and Sakumo leaned closer and pressed a kiss to his cheekbone, above the scarf. “I’m fine,” Orochimaru said, and allowed himself a shiver this time, “it’s merely unpleasant.”

“Another few hours and then at least we’ll be inside.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru hummed absent agreement, distracted as his mate brought his hands up and breathed on them, rubbing them between his own. He shivered, fingers curling.

Sakumo kissed his knuckles, rubbed his hands again, then released them. Orochimaru tucked them inside his cloak again, winding them into the fabric. The warmth was fleeting, but appreciated, and Orochimaru leaned into the contact as Sakumo nudged against him and kissed his cheek once more before nodding and splitting off on another advance scouting run.

Chapter 274: Knitting

Chapter Text

“What have you got there?” Gai asked, and Kakashi hummed, glancing up at him.

“Knitting.” he said dryly, gesturing with the needles he held. Gai leaned closer, curious. “I learned a few years out of the Academy, when I needed something else to focus on I suppose.”

“I have never seen you do such!” Gai protested, and Kakashi laughed.

“We’re mostly training when we’re together, Gai,” he said after a moment, nudging Gai with his knee, “and I want a break between things, not to work with my hands.”

“I have never learned. . .” Gai said, downcast. He had a scarf his mother had knit for his father, before he was born, which his father had gifted on to him as a child, but she had . . . never gotten the chance to teach him herself.

“Dad taught me.” Kakashi said absently, fingers working in quick, graceful arcs as more of the soft purple yarn unspooled around them. “He was working on armwarmers for Mama, then, and I made a scarf to match.” He glanced up at Gai again. “. . .if you want to learn. . .”

Gai lunged, hugging his friend and possibly squashing the knitting between them - he had forgotten himself. “I would love to! What are you knitting now, by chance?”

“Fingerless gloves for otouto.” Kakashi said, tilting the project up. It didn’t look like a glove to Gai, but he had no idea what gloves in progress looked like, admittedly. “He likes purple because Mama does, I think. And he uses his fingers for fine work too much for full gloves to be practical, but he could use something warmer than standard issue.”

“It is very kind of you.” Gai said, his heart squeezing at the thought. Kakashi’s adopted little brother never quite warmed up to him, it seemed - but then, Kabuto never seemed very warm in general - but it warmed Gai’s heart how Kakashi took care of him. “. . .you will really teach me?” he asked.

“I will or Dad will, if you want.” Kakashi said, nudging his knee into Gai’s side again, friendly. Gai grinned, watching Kakashi straighten out the stitches and begin to wind more yarn into neatly-patterned loops.

Chapter 275: Tracking

Chapter Text

“This is ridiculous.”

Sakumo ignored the comment, again, though the longer he spent with this client the more aggravated he got by them.

“Tracking a child this way, as though they were an animal. . .”

Sakumo refrained from pointing out either that human children - as adults - were animals, or that his own cub would be impossible to track this way. He kept his attention on the tracks in the snow.

He also spared a moment to be glad that Kakashi had gone with his mother on his mission this time, because he wasn’t sure that Kakashi would have held his tongue with this client.

“We’re getting closer.” Sakumo said, and also didn’t mention that if he hadn’t been held back to a civilian’s place he suspected he would have found the child hours ago, and probably had him safely home by now.

“It’s about time!”

Sakumo closed his eyes for a moment and strangled down a growl. The child was in danger in the snow, he reminded himself. And he was almost found.

And then Sakumo could wrap this whole thing up and soon head home, and his mate and cub would be returning likely tomorrow. He focused on that as the client continued to complain even when they found his missing child, and Sakumo guided them home again, and it enabled him even to bid farewell to the client and his family with a smile.

Chapter 276: Circumstances of Birth (foxbucket family)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Kakashi-sensei! Kakashi-sensei!”

Kakashi tipped his book over a bit and looked down at his suddenly-gathered genin. “Mm?”

“Erm. . .” Sakura paused, glancing at the boys, and Sasuke huffed.

Naruto, however, didn’t hesitate. “Is it true you were born on a mission?” he asked, his sky-blue eyes wide.

No it is not!” Kakashi said immediately, then took a breath. “. . .the mission wrapped up early, and Mama made it back to Konoha almost two full days before I was born.” he said, clearing his throat.

Sakura’s eyes widened.

“Whoa! Cool!” Naruto bounced on his heels.

Why was your mother going on missions when she was so far along?” Sakura asked, looking distressed.

Kakashi snorted. “I believe both my father and auntie had the same question.” he said wryly. With varying levels of disapproval and anger between them. “My mother was . . . far more capable at nearly full-term pregnancy than many ninja ever are, and my father and uncle were both there as well, along with some lesser-ranked nin. Dad, I understand, was a little . . . grouchy about it, and hovered a bit, but. . .”

Kakashi sighed shallowly, remembering his father’s face when speaking of that mission, and the way he would nuzzle and curl around Mama when it came up. “Something to learn, students,” he said, mouth twisting into a slanted smile, “clients get what they pay for. Client paid, exorbitantly; client wanted the White Fang and two Sannin. Client got them.”

Notes:

This is both an idea that spun off from a plot I have in mind to write sometime (the mentioned mission Kakashi was not quite born on ;) ) and the beginning of a rather long minific arc that will go for the next two weeks.

next in arc

Chapter 277: Surprise Dinner (foxbucket family)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“But who is sensei’s Mama?” Naruto asked, wriggling in place.

“We don’t know! We don’t know almost anything about sensei!” Sakura huffed. “He’s too sneaky.”

“He’s a jounin,” Sasuke flicked his fingers, slouching against the rock behind him, “of course he’s sneaky.”

Kakashi hid his laughter, slipping out of his chosen tree and moving up carefully to join his genin. None of them looked at him.

“Yo.”

A discordant chorus of yelps followed as they scrambled away sideways, looking up at him. Kakashi raised a hand in greeting.

“Kakashi-sensei!” Sakura relaxed a bit, a sulky little pout on her face.

“Hey, Kakashi-sensei!” Naruto bounced back to his feet. “Hey, you-”

“Come with me.” Kakashi beckoned, then tucked his hand back in his pocket and turned away.

“. . .what?”

“But training is over!”

“Kakashi-sensei!”

Kakashi-sensei!

Kakashi shrugged and beckoned again. Eventually they followed him, trotting along obediently enough at his heels. Kakashi led them across the village and out towards his home mostly ignoring their pestering, smiling as he guided them through the front garden, then up and inside.

“Kakashi-sensei? What are we doing here?” Sasuke asked, and Kakashi smiled at him, shooing them all ahead of him.

“We’re having dinner at my home.” Kakashi supplied, and nudged the nearest shoulders when the genin stopped in front of him, almost stumbling. “Hello, Dad. These are my genin . . . puppies.” He smiled at his father, who turned away from the stove to grin at the genin. “My father, the White Fang.” Kakashi said, and stifled a laugh at the look on his father’s face. “I’ll leave you here and go roust Mama from the lab, shall I?”

A wave from Sakumo sent him off, and Kakashi left the silly puppies there as he wandered across the house to his mother’s lab.

Chapter 278: Dinner Conversation (foxbucket family)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Kakashi watched with amusement as his genin stared, wide-eyed, from one of his parents to the other, but nudged them out of their shock to gently shoo them to the table as Sakumo started to set out the food.

They all hurriedly offered thanks and settled as directed, and Kakashi patted heads or shoulders as he made his way to his seat. His amusement returned as after they had all begun to eat, his mother deftly coaxed each of his students into speaking about their goals and their training. Even Sasuke slipped into speaking freely for a little while, though he got an incredibly sulky look and fell silent after perhaps ten minutes.

Kakashi glanced at his father, and Sakumo smiled. Kakashi did his best with the silly puppies, but really no one was better than his mother at this kind of thing.

Sakumo asked what their favourite parts of training or missions were, and Kakashi smiled, teasing lightly and offering stories from days with the team from time to time.

Chapter 279: Puppies Returned (foxbucket family)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Sure you don’t need any help?” Kakashi asked, and Sakumo waved him off, packing up the leftovers himself and turning to offer some of them to the genin. Sasuke and Sakura both declined - Sasuke with a offended little huff and Sakura with a cheerful smile - and Naruto, Kakashi suspected. . .

“Is he asleep?” Kakashi asked.

Orochimaru glanced down to where Naruto had slid sideways onto the floor beside him, not quite visible behind the table. “I believe so. Shall I wake him?”

“I’ll get these two home first.” Kakashi said, shaking his head. He also snagged one of the bundles his father had made up on his way out of the kitchen.

The puppies were mostly quiet as they walked, but it was getting late - and Naruto, who could often be counted on to fill silence, was not with them. Sakura waited politely by the gate to the Uchiha compound, but Sasuke didn’t want Kakashi to follow him inside either.

Kakashi shrugged and handed him the leftover food, then slid away before he could argue, collecting Sakura and heading back in towards the centre of the village where she lived.

“Thank you for dinner, sensei!” Sakura said when they reached her front walk, bowing, and Kakashi smiled, patting her shoulder and watching as she trotted inside to her parents before heading back home.

Chapter 280: Foxbucket for the Night (foxbucket family)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Kakashi was quicker on the way back home, without his genin in tow, but it had taken some time to walk across Konoha with them and return.

He wasn’t particularly surprised when he stepped inside to find Naruto still asleep, however, now covered by a blanket, with his head on Orochimaru’s thigh and Sakumo sitting on the other side of him. Naruto sighed, wriggling a little, and Orochimaru stroked his hair absently, a cup of tea in his other hand.

“Everything all right?” Orochimaru asked, and Kakashi dipped his head.

“Puppies returned safely.” he said dryly.

“Except this one.” Sakumo gestured, rising from the table. “Shall we send him off, or shall I make up a futon for him?”

“No one is waiting for him.” Kakashi said softly. And, unlike Sasuke, who Kakashi thought shouldn’t live alone where he did either but who fought tooth and nail anything that would part him from his clan’s legacy, Naruto lived in a tiny, worn, dirty apartment, in which the only possible bright spot was probably his plants.

Sakumo made a disapproving noise and walked away, and Naruto stirred, mumbling quietly. Orochimaru patted him gently.

“Kaka-sensei?” Naruto asked vaguely, and Orochimaru hummed, rubbing behind his ear.

“Hello, Naruto-kun.” Orochimaru said quietly. “Tired?”

“I just walked your teammates home.” Kakashi supplied as Naruto looked around, then tensed and slowly began to pull away. He drew in on himself and ducked his head apologetically.

“Sorry I fell asleep. I can get myself home, sensei, it’s okay.”

“Sakumo is making up a room for you.” Orochimaru said simply, and Naruto blinked at him.

“You’re tired, it’s all right.” Kakashi said, smiling as Naruto looked at him, baffled. “If you want to get back I’ll walk with you, but you are welcome to stay for the night instead. I’m sure Dad will have a futon ready for you in a minute.”

“. . .really?” Naruto asked, uncurling a little. “You’re sure?”

Orochimaru patted his back. “Of course.”

“All ready. Wash up and then time for bed.” Sakumo suggested from the doorway, and Naruto looked no less baffled, but smiled as he scrambled up and let himself be guided off. Kakashi listened to the quiet murmur of his father’s voice from further across the house until the sound of water running drowned out both him and any response Naruto gave.

“Is it that bad?” Orochimaru asked quietly as he rose, and Kakashi frowned, growling softly. Orochimaru made a disagreeable sound. “Poor little one.” he said absently, draping the blanket over his arm and then wrapping the other around Kakashi. He paused as footsteps passed by again, and smiled as they both glanced through the doorway.

Naruto was wearing something that had once been Kakashi’s, trotting along beside Sakumo with his jumpsuit folded in his arms.

Chapter 281: Always Welcome (foxbucket family)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Good job, puppies.” Kakashi said, patting Sasuke’s shoulder, then sighing as he ducked away. The other two beamed at him, and he ruffled Naruto’s hair and touched Sakura’s arm. “Great control, Sakura-chan, just need to keep working on that endurance.”

Sakura grinned even brighter and ducked her head. “Thank you sensei!”

Kakashi smiled at her. “We’ll wrap it up for today, don’t want to wear you out too much.” He glanced at the sky. A few more minutes discussing exemplary areas and weaker spots with each of his genin, and then he dismissed them.

Kakashi stretched lazily, a slight smile tugging at his lips. Naruto was lingering nearby, not quite heading home, though the other two had run off quickly. Kakashi turned towards him and he ducked away, shoving his hands in his pockets as he began to walk, head bowed.

Kakashi crossed to him quickly and hooked an arm around his shoulders. “Would you like to have dinner with my family again?” Kakashi asked, looking down and waiting as Naruto froze, then glanced up with wide, hopeful eyes. Kakashi squeezed his shoulders reassuringly.

“It’s- It’s okay?” Naruto asked tentatively, and Kakashi started walking, tugging Naruto along with him.

“Of course.” Kakashi rubbed his upper arm and squeezed again gently. “You’re welcome there, Naruto-kun.”

Naruto wriggled under his arm and squished a little closer against his side, and Kakashi hummed, carefully not looking down as he heard a few little hitching sniffles.

Chapter 282: Before Dinner (foxbucket family)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Naruto hung back, but slunk in the door after Kakashi-sensei, looking around cautiously as he called a greeting.

It was returned from deeper in the large house, out of sight, and Kakashi-sensei left his sandals in the genkan and moved towards the calling voice. Naruto hesitated, and Kakashi-sensei looked back at him with a little smile.

Naruto quickly followed his example with the sandals and hopped up at his heels again. Kakashi-sensei’s arm slid back around his shoulders, comfortingly solid, and he tugged Naruto along through the house.

“Oh, hello, Naruto-kun!”

Sakumo’s grin was broad and open, and Naruto smiled back reflexively. “Hello, Sakumo-sama. Is. . . Kakashi-sensei said. . .”

“I thought he might like to have dinner with us again.” Kakashi-sensei rescued him as he floundered.

“If that’s okay.” Naruto said, toes curling as he tucked his feet closer together.

“Of course.” Orochimaru said from the open doorway on the other side of the room. There were a riot of plants visible out in the garden through it and Naruto was curious, but tried not to peek too much, focusing on his hosts. “Dinner won’t be for a few hours, why don’t you rest for a while?”

Naruto shifted from foot to foot, looking up at Kakashi-sensei.

“You’ve been working hard.” Kakashi-sensei seconded, nudging him gently. “Take a rest before dinner.”

“Speaking of which. . .” Sakumo said, shifting in his chair.

“I will still make dinner.” Orochimaru said, putting a basket down on the table. “Although if you would handle the rest of the laundry?”

“I’ll give you a hand.” Kakashi-sensei volunteered, and he ruffled Naruto’s hair and then he and his father were gone out into the garden and Naruto was left looking at Kakashi-sensei’s calm, quiet mother.

He couldn’t help but remember the gentle warmth of Orochimaru’s hand on his head and the light touch tucking a blanket around him as he had groggily struggled to wake after dinner the night before.

“If you feel like it later,” Orochimaru said, sorting through the greenery in the basket he had on the table, “would you like to help with dinner, and perhaps learn something?”

Naruto grinned, moving closer. “Yeah, okay! What are you doing?”

Orochimaru directed Naruto to a seat and began to identify the plants and explain why he had them as he sorted through them.

Chapter 283: Interim Invitation (foxbucket family)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Oof! Good hit, Sakura-chan!” Naruto coughed out a bit of dust as he bounded back to his feet, and Sakura grinned, lifting her chin in a playfully smug gesture.

Naruto laughed, stretching and dusting the back of his jacket off. A figure passing by caught his attention and he wheeled around, ignoring Sasuke’s response as Ino continued to needle at him.

“Hebi-sensei!” Naruto cried, and Orochimaru paused, turning towards him. Naruto was already running, hopping over the fence to the road. He hesitated only for a moment, then crashed into Orochimaru.

“Hello, Naruto-kun.” Orochimaru returned his hug with one arm and stroked his hair with the other hand. “Busy training, even without your sensei, mm? Good job.”

“Kakashi-sensei said he’d be home in three days, right?” Naruto asked, tilting his head up. “Asuma-sensei volunteered to look after us too for now.”

Orochimaru smiled. “He will indeed.” He brushed a thumb over Naruto’s cheek, then dropped it to squeeze the nape of his neck. “You are welcome to come to dinner tonight if you would like, kit.”

Naruto froze. “Really?” he asked tentatively. The past few weeks had slowly nudged him to realise that Kakashi-sensei’s family never took away such offers and they always meant them, but a lifetime of having things snatched away. . . “Even though Kakashi-sensei is away?”

“Kakashi will come back.” Orochimaru gestured. “He will just have to have missed it. You are welcome if you wish to come, regardless.”

Naruto wriggled. “Thank you, Hebi-sensei!”

Orochimaru smiled and squeezed his nape gently. “I will see you tonight, then?” Naruto nodded, then sighed and stepped back, gesturing vaguely behind him at the rest of his team and their companions for now. “Ganbatte.”

Naruto laughed and nodded, running back to his teammates as Orochimaru continued on. It took him a few minutes to realise that team ten and Asuma were both sending odd looks at him, but he still couldn’t figure out why. He shrugged it off and did his best to focus as he squared off against Chouji again this time, looking forward to a real dinner, with Kakashi-sensei’s awesome parents. He grinned happily.

Chapter 284: Nightly Routine (foxbucket family)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“. . .are you sure?” Naruto asked, hesitating, but let himself be coaxed to stay quickly enough anyway, grinning. Orochimaru shooed him out, and he headed after Sakumo to go and help pull down the futon he usually used and lay it out.

Once it was done Sakumo shooed him, in turn, off towards the bathing room, and Naruto went happily, pausing to smile at his clothes as he stripped them off and folded them neatly. He still loved his jumpsuit, but even if they were hand-me-downs. . .

Naruto rubbed a hand over the deep blue shirt with the Hatake field on one arm and, a new addition, the red Uzumaki spiral, which Orochimaru had taught him all about last week, stitched onto the other. He loved them, and he kind of loved wearing Kakashi-sensei’s old clothes and feeling . . . comfortable in them, too.

He ducked down into the bath and hugged himself happily, thinking about the stories of his clan - his parents, even, which Kakashi-sensei, Orochimaru, and Sakumo had all offered up when Naruto had accidentally mentioned he didn’t know anything about them.

Naruto had felt like he was welcome hardly anywhere in his life, but here. . .

He washed up and clambered out of the bath, pulling on the pyjamas he had worn most nights here before going to find the others again.

Kakashi-sensei held out a hand, beckoning, and Naruto paused only for a moment before trotting over to plop down beside him in the cushions by the irori. Kakashi-sensei let an arm settle across his shoulders, and Naruto yawned, feeling cosy and at home as he leaned sleepily into his sensei’s side.

Chapter 285: House and Home (foxbucket family)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Naruto poked at his empty ramen container. It had been good - not as good as Teuchi-san’s delicious ramen, but it never was - and he was happy, but. . .

He looked around his little apartment, which was quiet and empty, and got up to check on his plants. He tried to ignore the little cold pit in his stomach and chest. It wasn’t like he wasn’t used to this, he thought, frowning heavily as he watered a couple of the plants, then sat on the side of his bed, tugging his sleeping hat down over his eyebrows.

It was just. . .

He swallowed thickly, breath catching, remembering being cosily warm and wrapped in a blanket someone else had drawn over him, half-asleep leaning on Sakumo’s side with Kakashi-sensei’s side snug against Naruto back, warm and solid, his arm moving from time to time as he turned pages in his book. Orochimaru on Sakumo’s other side, his soft, low voice soothing as he talked about something Naruto couldn’t quite make out.

Naruto tucked his knees up and wrapped his arms around them. It was fine. He looked up at the Konoha leaf pinned over his bed.

“Naruto.”

Naruto jumped, whirling and coming up on his knees, and found Kakashi-sensei perched in his window. “Kakashi-sensei?” he asked, startled, and looked around. “Erm?”

Kakashi-sensei smiled at him, shifting a little but remaining in the window. “Would you like to come home with me, kit?”

Naruto’s breath caught. Kakashi-sensei beckoned invitingly. Naruto slid off his bed and lunged right at Kakashi-sensei without thinking. He caught Naruto without so much as swaying backwards on the windowsill, hugging him close, rubbing his back.

Naruto clung, and Kakashi-sensei crooned softly, making no move to push him away.

Chapter 286: Open Offer (foxbucket family)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Naruto peeked around Kakashi-sensei as they walked into the cosy main room that was now so familiar to him. “Kakashi-sensei said I could come. . ?”

Naruto’s eyes widened as Sakumo was suddenly at his side, sweeping him into a hug. His breath caught. “Of course, kit.” Sakumo hugged him a little tighter, jaw nudging against his hair. “You may always come here. You may come home here, if you like, kit. You belong here if you wish.”

Naruto shuddered and sniffled, clinging tight and burying his face against Sakumo’s chest. Sakumo crooned gently, rocking on his heels and staying close.

“Your room is already set up for you.” Orochimaru said quietly, a hand sliding over his shoulder.

“Anything he wishes we can bring over later.” Kakashi-sensei said over his head, and Naruto sniffled and just . . . stayed where he was in the tight, warm hug for a little longer.

Chapter 287: Family and Loss (foxbucket family)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“You look preoccupied, Iruka.”

Iruka looked up at his colleague, smiling reflexively. “Sorry. Did you need something?”

“Just wondering if you’re all right.” Akihiro said with a slight smile.

“Ah. I am . . . fine.” Iruka nodded, turning his coffee cup in his hands. “I. . . One of my students, one I was quite close with, though now graduated, seems to have found . . . some new mentors, family, perhaps, and I-”

“Naruto?”

Iruka smiled weakly. “Naruto.” he admitted. “It seems . . . he has been taken in by Hatake Sakumo and Yashagoro Orochimaru.”

“Oh fuck.”

“What?” Iruka tensed.

“No, just- Oh thank kami he’s already graduated.” Akihiro shook his head slightly. “I was here when Kakashi was a student, you know, though I didn’t have his class, thankfully.”

“Oh kami, remember what happened when Ono gave his altered lesson plan a trial run in class and gave Kakashi nightmares?” Chiko said, and shuddered.

“. . .what?” Iruka questioned nervously.

Akihiro leaned forwards. “Look, you know how jounin parents can be.” Iruka nodded, because he was all too familiar. “Now imagine . . . you have a brilliant prodigy student. With two parents who are just barely behind the Hokage in strength. And you made their baby cry.”

Iruka flinched. But also- “What the hell did Ono teach them that gave a student nightmares that badly?” He paused, remembering. . . “Wasn’t Kakashi graduated to genin less than a year after entering the Academy?”

“Ah-”

“The head teacher at the time didn’t share that information, and he changed his lesson plan rather abruptly.” Chiko said dryly. “After Hatake and Yashagoro came here to . . . discuss things.”

“So they’re big bad scary jounin,” Iruka said dryly, “will they,” he paused, licking his lips, “will they look after Naruto?”

“If they took him in, they’ll do anything for him.” Akihiro said gently, and Iruka’s heart eased a little. Even if it still ached, feeling like he’d lost something.

Chapter 288: Messenger Wolf (foxbucket family)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Iruka was preoccupied once again by the discussion he’d had at afternoon break when he left the Academy for the evening, but no amount of distraction would have allowed him to miss the huge wolf lingering outside the gates.

He glanced around, but there were no more students in the yard or beyond the gate, at least not that he could see.

“Iruka-sensei?”

Iruka stilled, blinking up at the wolf. “. . .yes?”

“Kakashi-cub and the kit asked me to fetch you to the ramen stall for dinner, if you are not busy.”

Iruka blinked. Ki. . ? “I- No of course I’m not too busy for-” He fought a smile. “I’d love to see Naruto again.”

The wolf flicked an ear and nodded, then actually nudged Iruka ahead of himself. He didn’t resist, a little nervous despite himself, mind leaping ahead to seeing Naruto again for himself, properly, maybe getting to hear about the things that had changed in his life. . .

Chapter 289: Ichiraku's (foxbucket family)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Iruka-sensei!”

Iruka grinned and met Naruto’s energetic leap easily, catching him into a tight hug. “Naruto! I’m so happy to see you!”

“I missed you, Iruka-sensei!” Naruto said as he drew back, and Iruka inspected him, startled by what he saw. Naruto had always done well at looking after himself, but he was neater and cleaner than Iruka was used to seeing, and . . . he wasn’t wearing his standard orange jumpsuit.

“You look well.” Iruka said, relaxing a little more.

Naruto bounced on his toes. “It’s awesome, Iruka-sensei!” he cried happily. “Ookami-tou-sensei got me a new jacket and new sandals and Hebi-kaa-sensei gave me earrings just like his and I think these are Kakashi-sensei’s old trousers but they’re really good ones and Ookami-tou-sensei put my Uzumaki spiral on Kakashi-sensei’s old shirt so I have it and the Hatake field isn’t it cool Iruka-sensei?”

Iruka glanced him over again. “Yes, that’s wonderful, Naruto.” he said warmly even as he took in the changes. There were small magatama earrings dangling from Naruto’s ears, and he was wearing deep blue shirt and trousers with a red-orange jacket over it, and his sandals did look new. “I heard that. . .” he faltered, unsure how to put it.

“That my family took him in?”

Iruka’s head snapped up and he met a smirky little hidden smile from Kakashi with a frown. He was never quite sure how much of Kakashi’s light manner was friendliness and how much was amusement at others kept in his own head. He was occasionally unsettling.

“Kakashi-sensei, Motoga gets ramen too, right?” Naruto asked, leaving Iruka’s side to bounce over to Kakashi. “Right, right?”

“Of course.” Kakashi ruffled his hair, and Naruto beamed, leaning into his side, then darted away and into Ichiraku’s booth, the huge wolf pacing behind him. Iruka didn’t realise he’d paused in his distraction, until Kakashi asked him if he was coming, a gentle verbal prod. Iruka shook himself, but nodded, following Kakashi and choosing a seat between him and Naruto.

Chapter 290: Permanent Pack (foxbucket family)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Iruka was somewhat distracted from both Kakashi’s questions and his ramen by Naruto’s inspection of the wolf at his side - even neglecting his own ramen, to Iruka’s surprise. Iruka was a little nervous, but reminded himself the wolf was a summon, and not a wild animal. Of course that only made the creature more dangerous, if he so chose.

“He will be all right?” Iruka asked Kakashi quietly, nudging his side and only after realising how closely he had moved to Kakashi. He glanced over and met a hidden smile. Iruka glanced reflexively at the bowl before Kakashi, but it was half-empty despite the mask he still wore. Of course.

“Certainly.” Kakashi said, and waved a hand. “Naruto-kun, be friendly, but respectful, or Motoga may bite your hand off.” he drawled. Iruka tensed.

“Yes, Kaka-sensei!” Naruto said, then leaned close. “Wow, you have the biggest teeth!”

Motoga huffed, baring his teeth a little more with an almost-grin, his tail wagging a few times, and Iruka took a breath. Naruto grabbed the bowl of ramen from beside his own and held it up, and Motoga carefully put his muzzle in it.

“He will be fine.” Kakashi said, his voice softer. “Motoga is not to be trifled with, but he won’t hurt Naruto.”

Iruka nodded, slowly returning to his ramen. “Naruto . . . looks good.” he said, with a slightly wistful smile. He wished he’d been able to do more for Naruto himself, but . . . he was glad someone else was now, he supposed.

“He’s been doing better in his training as well.” Kakashi said, and when Iruka turned around he was leaning his chin in his palm, elbow propped on the counter beside his empty bowl.

Iruka frowned slightly. “How long has Naruto been staying with you and your parents?”

Staying? With all his belongings? Almost a week.” Kakashi said, and Iruka was thrown briefly because he had known that they were taking him in, in some fashion - looking out for him, feeding and clothing him - but to have moved him in. . . Perhaps he shouldn’t have been surprised. “Around? A few weeks longer.”

“He’s- He’s attached, clearly, and he’s happy,” Iruka glanced around, but Naruto was halfway into a second bowl of ramen himself and still talking to Motoga, and not listening to them, “and I’m happy to see him like this but if you turn- turn him away, send him home, make things worse for him after this, I-”

“His home is our home, now.” Kakashi said simply, unruffled, and Iruka’s throat tightened. “You’re cute,” he said, and Iruka’s eyes widened, “but you have no idea what my parents are like, do you? Trust me,” he hummed, gaze sliding past Iruka to Naruto, “Naruto is pack now and he’ll always be home with us.”

Iruka let out a shaky breath, and startled when Kakashi touched his shoulder.

“You’re still one of the most important people in his life.” Kakashi said, and Iruka looked at him, startled. “You’re welcome in our home too, Iruka-sensei.” He smiled almost playfully and Iruka narrowed his eyes, snorting.

Kakashi laughed, pulling his hand away and resituating himself. “Why don’t you tell Iruka-sensei what you’ve been up to, kit?” he prompted, and Naruto was suddenly all but plastered to Iruka’s side, rambling happily as he worked through a third bowl of ramen. Iruka couldn’t have held back his smile if he tried.

Chapter 291: Home Visit (foxbucket family)

Chapter Text

Iruka hesitated, but you’re welcome in our home, too Kakashi had said, and he might have been teasing but. . . Naruto. Iruka wanted to see him, and more, wanted to see that he really was happy and cared for here . . . though it could hardly be worse than his rattletrap apartment had been, alone, when he was now with people who fed him and gave him new clothes and, it seemed both from his recitations and Kakashi’s example, rather indulged him.

Iruka knocked.

“Ah, hello!” Iruka looked up into the smiling face of- Not Kakashi, he told himself, though it took a moment; Hatake Sakumo looked barely older than his son, and they looked so similar in general that Iruka couldn’t help but stare at his mouth for a moment. “You are Iruka-sensei, yes? Naruto is very fond of you! Come in.”

Iruka blinked, surprised, and nodded hurriedly, stepping in as Sakumo gestured in welcome.

“Kit!” Sakumo called, but there was no answer. “I think he’s in the back garden with my mate. This way.”

Along the way he led Iruka past a small, open bedroom filled with plants, and he lingered, throat tight. Naruto’s characteristic mess was scattered about the room, which looked warm and cosy; his old jumpsuit lay across the floor beside several other articles of clothing and a few books, and propped atop a small tansu were a few pictures including one of the Yondaime and his wife.

“Iruka-sensei?” Sakumo said, and Iruka’s breath caught. He nodded and followed Sakumo again; he hadn’t realised his feet had stopped moving.

Sakumo opened the door and the first thing to meet Iruka’s eyes was Kakashi, lounging on the engawa against- a huge snake. Iruka coughed a little, shocked, and Kakashi opened his eye and looked over, then smiled and waved. “Iruka-sensei,” he all but crooned, “finally took up the invitation?”

Iruka nodded vaguely, looking beyond Kakashi for-

Naruto was crouched in the garden beside Orochimaru, both of them leaning over a bed of plants. Naruto looked riveted, his fingers buried in the dirt, and Orochimaru was clearly explaining something to him as they worked together.

“You’re welcome to wait with me if you don’t wish to disturb them,” Kakashi said, waving his book, “I’m sure Nori wouldn’t mind.”

“Oh, I-” Iruka startled as the snake nudged a great head across Kakashi’s thighs and stomach, looking at him and murmuring something. Kakashi stroked it. “I wouldn’t want to. . .” his gaze strayed back out to Naruto.

“Surely you wouldn’t disappoint the kit by leaving so soon?” Sakumo said, and Iruka wavered. “When he can finally have you to visit in his home now?”

“I wouldn’t wish to impose.” Iruka said reflexively, heart eased further.

“Once Naruto realises you’re here you’re unlikely to be able to get out before dinner in any case.” Kakashi said dryly, and beckoned. “Possibly before he goes to bath and bed.”

Iruka moved closer. “Well, I haven’t anywhere to be until school tomorrow.” he said with a smile.

Kakashi smiled back at him and Iruka settled on the engawa a little way away from him and the snake he was using as a backrest, vaguely aware of Sakumo going back in the house as Iruka just . . . watched Naruto with Orochimaru. He looked excited, engaged, and . . . indulged, and happy.

Chapter 292: Loss

Chapter Text

“You look . . . displeased, lovely.” Sakumo observed, putting aside the report he was reviewing and making room for his mate beside himself.

Orochimaru settled close, slouching down with a sigh. “It has been a . . . difficult week.”

Sakumo hummed acknowledgement, frowning. He hesitated, licking his lips. “Tsunade, she hasn’t. . .”

Orochimaru hissed sharply and turned, sliding closer against Sakumo’s side and resting his jaw on Sakumo’s shoulder. “She told me today she intends to leave Konoha.”

Sakumo stilled, eyes wide. “Leave?

“She was also only narrowly prevented from smashing the memorial stone this morning.” Orochimaru sighed, nestling closer. “She is . . . not handling this well.”

“I wouldn’t expect her to,” Sakumo agreed slowly, “but. . .”

“But.” Orochimaru agreed, fingers sliding over Sakumo’s wrist and clasping his hand. “Loss is . . . painful,” his voice was raw, “but it is something we know.”

Sakumo hummed, nodding and hugging his mate a little closer. He couldn’t force himself to imagine losing his mate . . . but he couldn’t imagine simply choosing to abandon his village, his home, either.

Chapter 293: Mama's Plants

Chapter Text

Sakumo looked down as his youngest made wordless wanting sounds. Tenzou had his hands outstretched, grabbing at the air, looking. . .

Looking off to where Orochimaru knelt amongst his poison plants, Kakashi rolling in the ferns nearby, no doubt staining more streaks of green into his fur.

“Mama! Mama? Go Mama?” Tenzou asked, leaning forwards and nearly toppling over.

Sakumo stretched out his legs and gathered up his sapling cub. “All right, cub, we’ll go see Mama.” he said, and Tenzou whined happily, wriggling in his arms

Sakumo grinned and kissed his head, dropping lightly off the engawa in an easy step and making his way across the garden towards the rest of his family. Kakashi rolled right way up again, one ear turned inside-out and the other perked towards them as he grinned, tail wagging. Orochimaru paused and looked up as they approached, then put down his handful of petals in a basket by his knees.

“Well hello, little darling.” He held up his hands and Sakumo smiled, passing their cub to him. Tenzou gave a happy sound and cuddled into Orochimaru’s embrace as he brought their cub in close against his chest.

“Didn’t want to interrupt you.” Sakumo said, nodding at the basket and tools set out near Orochimaru, and he shook his head, smiling.

“I’m not that busy, I can take a break.” Orochimaru hummed, ruffling Tenzou’s hair with his fingertips. “Would you like to learn about the plants in Mama’s garden, little darling?”

“Mama plants!” Tenzou cried, face lighting up, and reached for one of the tall ayame stalks over Orochimaru’s shoulder. He couldn’t quite reach, but the flower bent slowly towards his grasp, against the wind.

Sakumo’s hackles prickled, but he ignored the sensation.

“Mama’s plants! Yes!” Orochimaru smiled, nuzzling his nose against Tenzou’s own little button nose. “Don’t pull, Tenzou.” he asked, clasping one of Tenzou’s hands and tugging it down, and Tenzou huffed, but the plant swayed back up to where it had stood before.

Chapter 294: Departure (snowy scamper)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Sure lovely?”

Orochimaru kissed his mate’s cheek, then smiled, ruffling their son’s hair. “Go on. Enjoy your scamper in the snow.” he said lightly, and retreated from the door. Sakumo grinned and opened the door a crack before he crouched, shifting with a blur to a great silvery-white wolf.

He straightened and shook himself, pacing over to nuzzle Kakashi’s hair and nudge his shoulder. Kakashi frowned fiercely, sitting on the floor, and after a few moments joined his father on four paws.

Kakashi bounded across the room to jump up against Orochimaru’s legs, and he crouched to reach more easily, then watched as Sakumo nudged the door open carefully and stepped outside, Kakashi running off at his heels.

Orochimaru crossed to the door quickly, glancing out to see them trotting through the snow before he closed it with a shiver.

Chapter 295: Icy Walk (snowy scamper)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo grinned, tail wagging, as he watched Kakashi bound and skid ahead of him, paws sliding on the ice but movements generally under control. He trotted along after, letting his cub choose his path for the most part, stretching their legs. Though he did keep in mind the chill around them and his cub’s thinner coat and smaller body; Sakumo could stand this cold for some time yet, Kakashi was young and would need to return to the shelter of their den much sooner.

A low sound caught his attention, and Sakumo perked his ears, trying to identify it while keeping his attention on his cub. The ice shifted minutely and Sakumo’s heart dropped. He lunged just as Kakashi let out a startled yip, slamming into his cub and sending Kakashi skidding off his paws along the ice.

It gave way beneath Sakumo in a rush of cracking noises and surging water, and the icy water swallowed him up with a shock like being stabbed. Kakashi’s howl of distress was swiftly deadened by the water closing over Sakumo’s head.

Chapter 296: Icy Water (snowy scamper)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Kakashi yelped as Dad suddenly knocked him over and sent him flying along the slick, bumpy ice, tumbling painfully. He struggled to get his paws under him again, then howled in shock and fear as the ice just . . . collapsed and Dad disappeared into the river.

Kakashi moved closer, then jerked back, keening, pacing back and forth on the ice and inching tentatively closer on aching, wet paws. The water churned, broken ice bobbing in the gap that had swallowed up Dad.

Kakashi yowled, breath hitching, and jerked back as the ice gave under his paws.

Notes:

. . .I promise to resolve the cliffhanger and not intensify it tomorrow.

next in arc

Chapter 297: Return and Recovery (snowy scamper)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Mama!

Orochimaru jerked awake and bolted upright, heart racing at the distressed yowl from his son. He darted for the door and opened it and-

“Oh.” Orochimaru beckoned to Kakashi as he stepped outside to meet his mate, letting their son run past him and inside, ignoring the cold himself even as the snow stung at the soles of his bare feet. Sakumo shuddered and whined, pacing slowly up the stairs, and Orochimaru reached for him, wincing as his fingers met ice forming in thick, wet fur. “Come inside, hurry up, wolf-heart.”

Sakumo trembled constantly, moving a little clumsily as Orochimaru pulled him inside. Orochimaru knocked off some of the ice and coaxed him to shift again, catching him as he stumbled on human feet. “Are you all right, Kakashi?” he asked, glancing around. He wasn’t wrapped up warmly enough to have been outside not wearing his wolf skin and fluffy fur, but he wasn’t soaked at least, unlike his father.

“Yes Mama.” Kakashi whimpered, eyes wide and distressed, and Orochimaru reached out a hand for him. He skittered closer and plastered himself against Orochimaru’s side, whining.

“All right, warm bath for everyone.” Orochimaru gently drew Sakumo down the corridor towards the bathing room, moving carefully with Kakashi clinging to him. “And then you can tell me what happened.”

Kakashi started immediately, though his story was a little patchy. Orochimaru gathered, at least, that Sakumo had fallen through the ice on the river, and that Kakashi had not, and that somehow Sakumo had hauled himself back up through the ice and come home at a pace their small son could match.

Orochimaru kissed his brow and kept rubbing away ice and cold water from his mate’s body, stripping him and encouraging his blood to move while the larger bath filled with not-too-hot water, then nudged him into it. Sakumo slipped as he climbed into the bath and Orochimaru caught him by the arm, steadying him until he was settled, then lifting Kakashi in as well before joining them himself.

Sakumo was still cold to the touch, and Orochimaru hissed disapprovingly as he pressed close and continued chafing his mate’s extremities, Kakashi edging up to his other side once more.

Chapter 298: Warmth Restored (snowy scamper)

Chapter Text

Sakumo rumbled quietly, closing his eyes as he snuggled into the heavy blanket his mate was tucking closer around him. Kakashi whined softly, clambering into his lap, a warm little bundle curling up against his belly.

Sakumo hugged his cub close, and Kakashi stretched up to nuzzle Sakumo’s collarbone. Orochimaru kissed his brow, smoothed a hand over his shoulder through the thick blanket, then walked away, into the kitchen.

Sakumo stayed put, cuddled with his cub by the irori, eyes heavy-lidded as he watched the low flames. The cold was mostly out of his bones by now, but he had no desire to return to the snow outside any time today - or, indeed, emerge from the warmth of the blankets he had been pushed down into.

Orochimaru returned after a short time with soup, and laughed a little as Sakumo tugged him into the blankets as well when he sat down with them. Kakashi clung to his spot in Sakumo’s lap, and he manoeuvred around his cub as he drank his soup, soaking in the warmth contentedly.

Chapter 299: Nursery

Chapter Text

“Lovely, have you seen Kakashi?” Sakumo asked, sticking his head in his mate’s workroom.

“With the baby.” Orochimaru said absently, and Sakumo frowned, but nodded and stepped back. He made his way through to the sunroom they’d set up as a nursery for Tenzou - generally only needed on busy afternoons, letting him enjoy the sun as he seemed to - and paused in the doorway.

Tenzou was kicking and babbling happily, and Kakashi was sprawled over his belly, paws spread to either side of his ribs, tail wagging as he listened to his brother with pricked ears. Sakumo smiled, heart aching.

Tenzou grabbed at one of Kakashi’s ears and he yipped, squirming, but didn’t nip or pull away. Tenzou pulled, and Sakumo stepped out intending to go and help, but Kakashi only put his head down on Tenzou’s chest and whined softly.

Tenzou released him, babbling something that sounded a little confused this time, and Kakashi licked his chin, tail lifting again.

Sakumo retreated again, watching them for a while longer but leaving them to themselves.

Chapter 300: Proposal

Chapter Text

Sakumo froze, eyes wide and heart thumping almost painfully in his chest as the soft words echoed in his head. He fought down the urge to howl, fingers trembling with the need to haul his lover - his mate - in against himself.

Orochimaru tilted his head slowly, shifting just a little, and gave a tiny smile. “Did you truly fear I might turn you away?” he asked softly, his eyes showing a hint of his own nerves, at least to Sakumo, who knew them so well.

“No, not- not really, or. . . Perhaps?” Sakumo answered awkwardly.

Orochimaru slid gracefully from his seat and wound Sakumo into an embrace that made his breath catch. Sakumo clung to him in return, and he settled down across Sakumo’s lap instead, nuzzling his cheek back towards his ear.

Light fingers stroked through his hair, brushing it away and tucking it behind his ear. “I love you, my wolf.” he said quietly, and Sakumo hugged him tighter. He chuckled and kissed the rim of Sakumo’s ear. “I will have you for my mate gladly, and I will never turn you away, my beloved wolf.”

Sakumo growled, burying his face against Orochimaru’s collarbone but not biting. “I love you.” he said, voice rough. “So much, lovely.”

Orochimaru hummed, warm and soft, running his fingers through Sakumo’s hair and cuddling into his tight embrace, leaning against his chest.

Chapter 301: Sapling and Foxkit

Chapter Text

“Make tree! Make tree!”

“Not in the house!” Sakumo called from the kitchen, and Orochimaru swallowed a laugh.

He heard Tenzou laughing as well, and slipped into the main room to find Naruto tugging at Tenzou’s pants, frowning very fiercely, as he continued to demand a ‘tree’.

“Dad says not in the house.” Tenzou said, lips twitching. “Come on, let’s go outside and I’ll make you a tree.” He offered his arms and Naruto scrambled to try and climb into them, though he needed a little help. “Going outside, Dad!” he called, then turned and startled. “Ah, Mama!”

Orochimaru stepped aside and tipped his head, encouraging, and Tenzou grinned, holding Naruto a little higher as they headed out to the back garden. Orochimaru watched from the window as Tenzou frowned in focus and sprouted a slender, strong tree that Naruto scrabbled onto as it grew taller, chittering in excitement. Orochimaru smiled.

Tenzou looked up, grinning, as he released the seal, the sturdy tree remaining where it was and Naruto caught safely in a thick weave of branches.

Chapter 302: Morning Greeting

Chapter Text

“Wake Mama?” Kakashi asked softly, wriggling with anticipation in Sakumo’s arms.

Sakumo laughed silently, hugging Kakashi tighter. He squirmed, nuzzling up under Sakumo’s jaw. Sakumo would be very surprised if Orochimaru were not awake already, however. . .

“Go for it, cub.” Sakumo whispered, and kissed the top of Kakashi’s head.

Kakashi bit his lip before what Sakumo suspected would have been an excited yip could slip out, and leapt from Sakumo’s embrace. His fluffy wings beat hard but couldn’t, yet, hope to support him - they barely slowed his descent before he touched down on the floor, impressively close to soundless.

Another bound and he was on Orochimaru, landing unerringly on his back right between his sleek wings. “Mama!” Kakashi yowled, bouncing a little.

Orochimaru’s wings stirred slowly and Sakumo knew he’d been awake before their cub pounced on him. Kakashi yipped happily and Orochimaru’s wings snapped up and back, pinning him between them as he laughed.

A blurred twist of movement and Orochimaru was sitting up with Kakashi caught in his arms, wings angling gently down around him.

“Ohayou, Mama.” Kakashi said, nuzzling affectionately into his chest.

Orochimaru brought him higher and kissed his brow. “Ohayou, my little mischief.” he said, warm and a little rough. He rested his chin on Kakashi’s head and Kakashi snuggled into him, allowing himself to be held cosily close.

Orochimaru’s eyes drifted up to Sakumo’s, and his smile grew as his heart squeezed. “Ohayou, lovely.” he said quietly. My lovely, my mate, mother of my cub.

Orochimaru’s own smile softened and he twitched his fingers, beckoning. “Ohayou, my darling.” he said as Sakumo approached, and shifted to welcome him in close as well.

Chapter 303: Nightly Nesting

Chapter Text

“Daddy?”

Sakumo groaned a little, turning over and lifting one wing in welcome. A small, cosy warmth tucked in beneath it and Sakumo let it settle down over his younger cub, bringing one arm up and resting his hand on Tenzou’s back.

“Everything’s all right. Mm, my little sapling?” Sakumo murmured, sleep-thick. Tenzou wriggled against his chest and his downy wings tickled Sakumo’s forearm, but he didn’t answer. The happy little sigh and sudden stillness as he dropped to sleep against Sakumo’s chest were answer enough, and he smiled, rubbing up and down Tenzou’s spine.

He wasn’t surprised when Kakashi slunk in as well, no more than half an hour later.

Kakashi didn’t call for him, so Sakumo likewise remained quiet as his eldest slipped into the futon behind him. Orochimaru would need to shift their cub, one way or another, when the night’s patrol he’d been drawn for ended and he returned, but for now Kakashi took up much of his mother’s place.

Sakumo smiled a little as Kakashi yawned, then sighed and inched closer to Sakumo’s back; just close enough that he could feel the warmth of his cub’s small body.

Chapter 304: Watchful Wolf

Chapter Text

“Really, can you believe-”

“Even with a summon, leaving an animal to watch the baby. . .”

“Well, what do you expect, with a mother like that one?”

Sakumo lifted his head, lip curling as he turned his gaze from his son to the trio of ninja visible through the open gate. One of the kunoichi glared right back, taking a step and looking like she was willing to square off with him, but the other two caught her arms and dragged her on, the man glancing back anxiously at Sakumo.

He growled unhappily, and the gate closed itself with a solid thunk; the wards of the Hatake compound responding to the same tingle that ran along his hackles.

Sakumo returned his full attention to his cub, and the unhappy tension eased a little.

Kakashi was lying on his back on a blanket in the grass, grabbing at his own toes and making little not-quite-whine, not-quite-giggle noises. Sakumo’s ears were perked towards him, eager to catch every single one.

Orochimaru had spent the morning with them in the fresh air, resting even when he wasn’t napping, using Sakumo as a pillow some of the time, but he had gone in to his lab, promising not to overstrain himself. He was mostly healed, Sakumo knew, but it hadn’t been that long since their cub was born and Orochimaru disregarded his own body’s limitations as though they weren’t there as a matter of course.

Granted, Sakumo thought wryly, he could usually overcome them by force of will, if nothing else, but he hated to see his mate in pain.

Chapter 305: Open Den

Chapter Text

Orochimaru hummed, rocking Kakashi slowly as he nursed, lazy and content with his little hatchlingcub cradled against his chest. He could feel Kakashi’s tiny heartbeat against his own chest, and Kakashi’s tiny fingers with their ridiculously, wickedly sharp nails flexing absently, and Kakashi’s steady suckling with the occasional gurgling whine and murmur.

He stroked a fingertip over Kakashi’s cheek and he nuzzled closer, not pausing in his nursing. Orochimaru smiled and leaned back in his chair, looking up at his mate. “You look perturbed, pet.” he said by way of invitation rather than prodding.

Sakumo turned towards him with a frown that verged on a pout. Orochimaru freed a hand and beckoned, and Sakumo crossed to join them, kneeling at Orochimaru’s feet and resting his head on Orochimaru’s knee. Orochimaru brushed his fingers through his mate’s hair and Sakumo’s eyes fell half-closed with pleasure under the caress as he pushed closer, rumbling contentedly.

Silly wolf. Silly, darling, beloved wolf. Orochimaru stroked his face and cupped his cheek for a long moment before bringing his hand back up to help support their son.

“Something Dan said.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru frowned. That was unusual. Sakumo and Dan had been friends for longer than he had known Sakumo, at least personally, and they got on very well in the main.

“Have you argued?” Orochimaru asked, shifting Kakashi a little. Kakashi whined a complaint, but his suckling was slowing. Orochimaru glanced down, judging whether he would want to switch sides or fall asleep directly.

“No, nothing like that, only. . .” Sakumo sighed, frown growing. “Children aren’t allowed in their parents’ bedrooms.”

Orochimaru blinked, then arched an eyebrow as he gently disengaged Kakashi’s mouth - he fussed and squirmed in protest - and shifted position, turning Kakashi. He huffed as though offended, nuzzling Orochimaru’s chest and latching on to his other nipple.

“No one is.” Sakumo continued, or corrected. “A bedroom is a private space,” he said, and snorted, eyes narrowed, “one has their own room and is not allowed to trespass in others. Their family is apparently quite strict on that point.”

“Hn.” Orochimaru said, rocking Kakashi again. One of Dan’s cousins had a baby only just older than Kakashi, and his niece was only beginning to toddle. “At any age?”

Sakumo looked up at him. “Den should be . . . a safe place for cubs. Always. For the entire pack.” he said, looking as though he were struggling with something internally for a moment. “How can. . .”

“I don’t know, pet.” Orochimaru stroked Sakumo’s cheek and he relaxed a little. He frowned. “To each their own, I suppose.” he said slowly, though he couldn’t quite keep his disapproval out of his voice as he considered the very idea of barring his cubling from himself, from either of them.

Sakumo made a low, grouchy noise and Orochimaru laughed softly. Kakashi huffed a protest, dragging his fist down Orochimaru’s chest closer to his own plush cheek.

“Would you lay out the futon, pet?” Orochimaru asked, arching his back to stretch carefully and catching Kakashi’s hand, letting his cubling cling to his thumb.

Sakumo nuzzled his thigh, then rose and crossed to the cupboard, retrieving the futon and unrolling it, making up their bed. Where their child remained with them, Orochimaru thought with a sharp edge, shaking his head slightly.

Chapter 306: Not a Rabbit

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Oh! I- Oh! Sorry!”

Orochimaru tilted his head, watching the boy bow deeply; graceful despite the hurried motion. He was cute - like a rabbit, Orochimaru thought idly, a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.

He met Orochimaru’s gaze as he straightened. “Kakashi-san asked me here and said it was all right if I waited. . .” he said leadingly, and he might look like a scampering rabbit but those eyes promised something fierce and calculating in his own way.

No wonder, Orochimaru thought, his son was so intrigued. “Of course. Would you like to come in to wait? I believe he and his father are out,” he paused, smirking, “training.”

Orochimaru expected to be able to hear some of Shikato’s complaints from the mission desk when he went in tomorrow, given they’d gone after deer.

“Thank you, Orochimaru-sama. If I won’t be a bother.” the boy said with a shallower bow. “Ah. . . I’m Iruka.” He smiled, wide and friendly. “Umino Iruka.”

“Of course.” Orochimaru murmured, gesturing him inside. “Welcome, Iruka-kun.”

Notes:

If you like this background ship, I have a new minific collection for KakaIru (which will, no doubt, feature some SakuOro in the background from time to time) over under the title Snuggly Sensei.

Chapter 307: Contentment

Chapter Text

Sakumo put aside his completed mission report and let himself fall heavily backwards, lying stretched out on the floor. He yawned, then rolled over, propping his chin on his forearms. He smiled.

Orochimaru sat at a low table across the room, long legs crossed, attention fixed on his work. Kakashi lay in his lap, dozing peacefully under the idle caresses of Orochimaru’s free hand tickling his belly and stroking his face.

They looked . . . content. Sweet. Beautiful.

Sakumo picked himself up and moved closer, settling quietly nearby. Orochimaru looked up at him after a few minutes and they shared a smile.

Orochimaru put down his pen and lifted their cub, who wriggled a little, making a small sleepy sound. Sakumo’s eyes widened and he shifted, surprised when Orochimaru tucked Kakashi close in his arms instead. He turned and curled close to their cub, crooning softly, and Kakashi subsided into proper sleep.

Orochimaru’s fingers stroked through Sakumo’s hair and he sighed, relaxing as well, Kakashi a warm little bundle in his arms.

Chapter 308: Wet Wolf

Chapter Text

“Come here, wolf-heart.” Orochimaru reached out one hand, beckoning, without turning over or opening his eyes.

Sakumo took a step without thinking, then paused. “I’m cold and wet, lovely. I’m just going to-”

“Then strip down,” Orochimaru tilted his head, looking over his shoulder, “and come here.”

Sakumo hesitated only for a moment longer before he obeyed, leaving his clothing draped over a chair and returning to the warm futon he’d left for patrol duty hours ago.

His mate turned towards him and Sakumo moaned softly as he was drawn in towards Orochimaru’s lean, warm body. “All right, lovely?” he asked, burying his face in his mate’s slender, strong shoulder and curling into the offered embrace, soaking up the warmth.

“Mm.” Orochimaru stroked his wet hair and rubbed his back, wrapping him up a little more in the heavy kakebuton. Sakumo relaxed and burrowed dozily into his mate’s arms, and fell asleep to Orochimaru’s soft murmuring.

Chapter 309: Uncle Storyteller

Chapter Text

“What next, oji-gama? What next?”

Orochimaru smiled slightly at the eager, curious tone of his son’s question, but quickened his steps regardless at the sound of Jiraiya’s ‘storytelling’ voice. He paused at the door, listening, and found Jiraiya weaving a curious children’s tale of small adventures and if perhaps there was a little more mayhem and murder than most children’s tales, well, they were ninja and Orochimaru’s son was a born apex predator.

Jiraiya ended the story when Kakashi fell asleep despite his clear fascination, curled on a cushion on the engawa.

“Another day.” Jiraiya said quietly, and tugged his own jacket over Kakashi.

“You can tell decent stories. Who knew.” Orochimaru said dryly, and Jiraiya jumped, looking up at him.

“Hey! I might be the last person you want babysitting,” Jiraiya protested, voice low, waving his hands, “but I can do stories!”

“I was referring to the decency of the content, not the execution.” Orochimaru said, arching a brow, and Jiraiya huffed, smiling a little.

“Well. . . My nephew needs good stories too.” Jiraiya said loftily as Orochimaru crossed to Kakashi and shifted carefully to crouch beside him. Kakashi’s not-yet-born sister responded to the sudden movement with a series of kicks, and Orochimaru caught his breath, resting a hand on his swollen stomach. “Like I said. Stories I can do.”

“I don’t know about the last person.” Orochimaru said lazily, brushing a hand over Kakashi’s hair and smirking as he raised his gaze to Jiraiya’s once more. “For one thing, I expect you are aware of how very much you would regret - unto the next life, even - your life if you allowed any hurt to come to my hatchlingcub. I expect you would be motivated.”

Jiraiya shuddered. “I had nightmares the night before you had me watch him at first. When you were here with him. I still have nightmares occasionally. . .”

Orochimaru laughed, quieting himself so as not to disturb his son.

“I’m . . . thinking of writing the stories I tell for him.” Jiraiya said quietly. “If you don’t mind. They’re still his even if I change a few little things, and they’ll be dedicated to him, but. . .”

Orochimaru smiled, holding out a hand to Jiraiya and clasping it when he reached out in return. “I think that is wonderful . . . and I’m sure Kakashi will appreciate it as he grows up, as well.”

Chapter 310: Night Nursing

Chapter Text

“Hush, cub, shhh. . .” Sakumo soothed sleepily, cradling Kakashi closer and rocking him as he cried. “Hush now,” he shifted to get his feet under him to rise, “don’t want to wake Mama, mm?” he crooned.

Kakashi gasped and whimpered, hands grasping restively as he rooted against Sakumo’s chest. Sakumo settled back on his heels, rocking Kakashi absently, but he continued his fruitless search.

“Lovely.” Sakumo murmured, resting a hand on Orochimaru’s arm. He squeezed gently and called again, and Orochimaru groaned, rolling over.

“Mm?”

“Sorry, lovely.” Sakumo said softly, moving closer. “Cub’s hungry.”

Orochimaru smiled slightly and Sakumo held out a hand as he reached out. Orochimaru clasped it and Sakumo helped him up, then leaned in to let Kakashi slide from his arms to his mate’s.

“There there, cubling.” Orochimaru crooned, voice thick with sleep, sliding his yukata open. Sakumo moved around them to settle at Orochimaru’s shoulder, and he sighed, leaning into Sakumo’s chest as Kakashi rooted into Orochimaru’s chest with a whimper, quieting as he quickly latched on to nurse. “There you are.” Orochimaru said, leaning his head against Sakumo’s.

He crooned soothingly, rubbing a hand up and down Orochimaru’s side. He hadn’t wanted to wake his mate, but. . .

“Easy, precious,” Orochimaru said softly, adjusting their cub in his arms as Kakashi gurgled and choked but didn’t let go, “not going anywhere.”

Chapter 311: New Purple (nasu)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Kakashi eyed Mama at the counter and scampered a little nearer. Mama didn’t look around, and Kakashi trotted on, distracted briefly by the plush of Katsuyu-sama on the floor. He pounced on it and rolled over a few times, then carried it with him as he approached where Mama was working at the counter.

He stretched up and couldn’t see, but clambering up on the stool nearby gave him enough height. He sniffed, nose twitching, eyes fixed on the very purple thing Mama was slicing.

“Hello, cubling.” Mama said gently, and Kakashi flopped down in the chair, cuddling the plush to his chest.

“What is, Mama?” Kakashi asked.

“Nasu.” Mama said, glancing at him with a smile. Kakashi smiled back and sniffed again. “I’m making miso tonight.”

“Good soup!” Kakashi said happily, distracted. “Fish?”

“Your father is bringing fresh from the market.” Mama confirmed, and Kakashi yipped happily. He continued to sniff at the nasu curiously from where he sat, but it wasn’t terribly interesting, and while it was a pretty purple, Mama worked with lots of pretty purples from his garden.

Kakashi went easily when Mama suggested he go play elsewhere, taking his plush with him.

Chapter 312: Purple Soup (nasu)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Thank you, lovely.” Sakumo kissed him lightly on the way to the table with the bowls, and Orochimaru shook his head slightly, lips quirking. He followed and put the pot at the centre of the table, and poured the miso into bowls as Sakumo plated fish and rice.

They all sat down to their meal, Kakashi beside Orochimaru with Sakumo around the corner, and-

“Mama! Purple soup!” Kakashi said, pushing his bowl back and giving it a betrayed look.

Orochimaru blinked, then hid a smile. “There are new vegetables in the soup, Kakashi.” he said gently, and reached out, tapping the bowl. “Try them. The purple is nasu, remember, you asked about it?”

“Is vegetable?” Kakashi looked stunned.

“It’s good.” Sakumo told him.

“Is purple.” Kakashi said staunchly. “Is wrong. Vegetables not purple.”

“I promise you, precious, it is a vegetable.” Orochimaru said patiently. “It’s just new. Try it? You like miso.”

Kakashi made a huffy, suspicious noise, glaring at the soup. Orochimaru coaxed him again and he shook his head sharply, lower lip puffing out in a determined pout. “Purple vegetable is weird, not right.”

“It’s different,” Orochimaru said, “but it is a vegetable, and it is a good one. Please, precious, just try it? If you do not like it, Mama will make you something else that you like instead.”

Kakashi fidgeted, pouting more, and Orochimaru took a bite of the nasu out of the bowl. “Please, for Mama?”

Kakashi wriggled and huffed. “. . .promise is vegetable?”

“I promise. I think you’ll like it.” Orochimaru said patiently.

Kakashi took a very, very tiny nip from the side of the chunk Orochimaru held out to him, and Orochimaru raised an eyebrow.

“Can you even taste that?”

Kakashi fidgeted and ducked his head. Orochimaru held out the bite again. Kakashi huffed sulkily but accepted it, chewing slowly, and Orochimaru waited, taking a bite of his own.

Chapter 313: Purple Complications (nasu)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“More soup, precious?” Orochimaru asked as Kakashi sipped from the dregs of his bowl. His fish was gone and his rice was a scattering of forlorn bites left across his plate.

Kakashi made a contemplative sound, then nodded, holding it out. “Please Mama?”

“Certainly.” Orochimaru refilled the bowl for him and watched as he fished out the biggest piece of nasu and chomped into it, a bit messily. Orochimaru glanced at his mate, lingering over his own soup, and offered more, refilling each of their bowls as well.

“So, precious,” Orochimaru asked, brushing a hand over Kakashi’s head gently, “what have we learned?”

Kakashi looked up, mouth full, and made a curious sound.

“From the soup?”

Kakashi chewed and swallowed, then looked at his bowl, poking the vegetables in it. “. . .purple vegetable is can be nice?” he said dubiously. “Vegetables is purple too?”

“Purple vegetables are real,” Orochimaru agreed, wiping a bit of miso from Kakashi’s face, “and we learned, precious, that we should not judge a vegetable by its colour, mm?”

Kakashi pouted. “It smelled funny when chopping.”

“It wasn’t cooked then.” Orochimaru pointed out, stroking Kakashi’s hair again.

Kakashi’s pout turned more thoughtful as he poked at the nasu some more, then ate another bite. “. . .vegetables different; can’t know if is nice before cooked?” he said dubiously.

“Sometimes, no.” Orochimaru agreed after a moment.

Kakashi huffed and shook his head. “Vegetables is complicated.”

“Many things are, cub.” Sakumo said with an amused murmur. “At least this is a good one, isn’t it?”

Kakashi hummed, then nodded. “Like purple vegetable.” he declared, and Orochimaru kissed the top of his head.

“Thank you for trying it.” Orochimaru said, squeezing his shoulder.

“Thank for soup, Mama.”

Chapter 314: New Vegetables (nasu)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Is nasu?” Kakashi asked, bouncing on the balls of his feet.

Sakumo stopped, amused, and selected one, nodding to the stall’s proprietor before turning to Kakashi. “It is, cub.”

Kakashi accepted the nasu and sniffed it, squeezing gently. “Smells . . . different.”

“Would you like to have miso with nasu again tonight?” Sakumo asked, choosing another two.

Kakashi made a few considering noises and nodded hopefully. “Mama make purple soup?”

“Mama is busy, but I’ll do my best to make it like Mama.” Sakumo promised, and Kakashi nodded acceptance. Sakumo paid and tucked the other vegetables in his basket. “Do you want to carry that for me?” he asked, and Kakashi inspected the vegetable, sniffing it again. He nodded.

Sakumo let him, keeping an eye out for when he got tired of holding it, and guided him on through the market.

“Daddy?” Kakashi asked at the next stall, and Sakumo hummed, looking down at him. “Is . . . also vegetable?”

Sakumo followed his pointing finger and saw an array of brightly-coloured vegetables.

“Yes, cub.” He crouched beside Kakashi. “Would you like to know what they are, or maybe try some?” he asked carefully.

Chapter 315: Vegetable Complications (nasu)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru paused in the kitchen doorway, brows rising. “What’s all this then?” he asked as he continued.

“Nabe!” Kakashi said brightly, almost quivering in his chair at the table. “New vegetables!”

“Oh really?” Orochimaru asked, running his fingers through his son’s hair. “How delicious.”

“I was picking up nasu, and Kakashi was curious about more. . .” Sakumo said, turning towards him. “I thought nabemono would be a good simple way to try a few more things.”

Orochimaru cast a look over the counter and the vegetables there, but didn’t comment.

“Dad’s been teaching! Vegetables is lots complicated!” Kakashi said with a huff.

“As are many things.” Orochimaru agreed, petting Kakashi’s hair. He whined happily and snuggled into Orochimaru’s side.

“Can just eat bunnies and hunt instead?” Kakashi asked, huffing and rubbing his cheek against Orochimaru’s hip.

Sakumo, carrying more vegetables over to the pot on the table, laughed. “Ah, no, cub. We must, unfortunately, do the complicated things in life too.”

Kakashi sighed.

“And if you ate only bunnies,” Orochimaru said, feathering Kakashi’s hair gently, “you would not get enough of the things you need to fuel your body, and you would never grow big and strong, and be too tired, without the energy to scamper about like the mad little creature you are, precious.”

Kakashi turned a wide-eyed look up at him. “Really?

“I’m afraid it’s true.” Sakumo agreed as Orochimaru confirmed it.

Kakashi huffed. “Vegetables is really complicated.” he said, pouting thoughtfully.

Chapter 316: Delicious Dreams

Chapter Text

Sakumo tugged Kakashi towards them, and he stretched, then crawled onto the futon.

“Bedtime, mm, cubling?” Orochimaru murmured sleepily.

Kakashi nodded, fluffy hair fluffing a little more. “. . .Mama and Dad have nommy dreams.” he said, and Orochimaru hummed, confused. “Your dreams taste good.” Kakashi said firmly, clambering over Sakumo to get between them.

“That’s good.” Sakumo said, stroking his back.

Orochimaru thought of the smelltaste of contentment and warmth and nodded, turning on his side and smiling at his mate. “Time to sleep and make . . . nommy dreams yourself, yes, cubling?”

Kakashi made a happy little sound and curled up between them, closing his eyes as he snuggled in.

Orochimaru smoothed a hand over him and Sakumo drew the kakebuton up over all of them as he settled in as well.

Chapter 317: Radish

Chapter Text

Kakashi peeped over the table at where Dad was slicing something that crunched prettily. It was brightly coloured, but white on the inside, and there were lots of little discs from Dad’s knife. Kakashi sniffed, but he could mostly smell the lemon on the chicken that was in the oven.

Dad turned to reach for something and Kakashi leaned a little closer, sniffing hopefully and watching as he sliced another little pointy ball. It crunched so nice.

When Dad turned again, Kakashi slipped one of the discs away and sniffed at it - it smelled spicy, a little like some of Mama’s senbon - and then put it in his mouth, crunching down satisfyingly. It made the pretty sound again between his fangs, but-

“Ah!” Kakashi yelped, and Dad spun.

“Kakashi?”

“It bites!” Kakashi yowled, sticking his tongue out and coughing on the bits of the little disc, which had bit sharply at his tongue. “Bit tongue! Bad vegetable!”

“Oh- Oh dear, cub.” Dad said, pushing away from the table and picking him up. Kakashi whined, trying to stick his tongue further out, trying to get the sharp bite off.

Dad took him to get a puffed rice cracker, which he barely tasted despite the nori in it, but it made the biting stop. Kakashi munched on another one and nestled his head against Dad’s shoulder. “Is bad vegetable.”

“It’s not, cub, it’s just . . . strong.” Dad said, bouncing him a little.

Kakashi huffed and shook his head. “Bites cub tongue. Bad vegetable.”

“You don’t have to eat any more.” Dad said, and Kakashi huffed again. Of course he wouldn’t eat bad, untrustworthy crunch that bit cubs any more.

Chapter 318: Duty and Desire

Notes:

Originally written for the prompt any, any, seduction on this year’s Three Sentence Ficathon (which ran all of February) as hosted by [personal profile] rthstewart.

The next 8 or so minifics will all be from the 3SF as well, generally a bit edited and expanded.

Chapter Text

Orochimaru sneered as he flicked the blood off his kanzashi, skimming a last look over his mark as he wound his hair back up into place. He pinned it with the kanzashi, then righted his many-layered kimono before slipping out the window and up onto the rooftop, ghosting across the shiro in a trice. He slipped in through another window and was welcomed equally warmly there as he had been in the prince's chamber, yet. . .

Eager hands tugged at him for the second time tonight, and these Orochimaru sank into with no need to feign his own warmth, the slinking ease of settling into his mate's lap - with none of the false awkwardness or barely suppressed disdain he had borne earlier - which brought a rumble of wolfish pleasure from his mate and kisses pressed along his neck. Orochimaru smiled as he closed his eyes and tilted his head away, baring his throat in a calculated gesture, drawing his mate in closer still.

Chapter 319: New Aniki

Notes:

Originally written for the prompt Any,any, an excellent big brother..

Chapter Text

Kabuto poked his head outside cautiously, eyeing his supposed new older brother from a safe distance and trying to assess him. Kabuto’s new Mama had told him to ask his brother, and that Kakashi would happily help him figure out what was making things difficult with the jutsu he was studying . . . but Kabuto remembered the older boys at the orphanage. Remembered dealing with them - and why it was best not to try.

Still, Mama had told him so, and Kakashi did, at least, look peaceful; Kabuto crept outside to approach and posed his question carefully, poised to retreat if necessary.

He was met with stormy grey eyes lifting from the book in his quick, long-fingered hands. Kabuto stood his ground, stomach fluttering anxiously.

Several hours later Kakashi led him back inside, tired but with a head full of new ideas, and . . . happily supported under his aniki's arm, leaning into him as they came in for dinner. Mama smiled at them, golden eyes warm and pleased.

Chapter 320: Demands

Notes:

Written for the prompt Any, Any, See what the new day brings.

Chapter Text

"Just wait, see what comes," Dan said comfortingly, "perhaps when the sun rises you'll feel-"

"If the new day doesn't bring my wolf back," Orochimaru said sharply, "I will be ensuring tomorrow is twice as bloody as today."

Dan fell silent as he rose and stalked away across the blood-soaked, messy battlefield, Dan’s own worry for his friend quieting in the face of those furious but heartsick golden eyes.

Chapter 321: Lady Luck

Notes:

Written for the prompt Any, any, luck be a lady tonight.

Chapter Text

"I'm simply delighted that we've found each other out here, when-" Sakumo paused, steps slowing and head coming up from where he had been nuzzling Orochimaru's jaw. ". . .he was going on about how luck was going to be with him tonight, a pretty lady he'd- Ah." he broke off with an awkward, disapproving grumble of a breath.

"Oh, I'm sure he did," Orochimaru shook his head with a snort, looking at his idiotic teammate crumpled on the side of the road, looking rather the worse for wear, "and it appears his luck was indeed a lady tonight; one with the same quite sensible reaction most ladies have to Jiraiya."

Sakumo huffed a laugh and Orochimaru turned his attention back to his mate, brushing a kiss to Sakumo’s cheek before he tilted his jaw invitingly. Sakumo smiled, a soft rumble of pleasure building in his throat as he dipped his head to resume his affectionate attentions, and they moved on together.

Chapter 322: Monstrous Love

Chapter Text

"He's not a monster, you insufferable-" Sakumo broke off, snarl fading just a little as he turned towards the sounds of destruction, eyes widening. "Oh, lovely." he said faintly, barely taking his eyes of his mate even as he bent to catch their cub running to him, face red and bruised and wet with tears.

Off behind Kakashi, the complex he had been fleeing would soon be wiped off the map.

Yamata no Orochi reigned there, baring scythe-like fangs as he lunged, crushing masonry and trees and enemy nin beneath his great coils with little differentiation in his protective fury.

Chapter 323: Safe and Home

Notes:

Written for the prompt any, any, "don't worry, you're with us now".

Chapter Text

Tenzou looked up with wide eyes as a gentle hand only a little bigger than his own wound around it and clasped tight.

"Don't worry, otouto," Kakashi said, leaning in and rubbing his nose over Tenzou's cheek, making a little snuffling sound, "you're pack now and you belong and no one's ever going to take you away. Right?"

Kakashi turned his head to look up. Tenzou followed his gaze and clung to his hand a little tighter as his intimidating parents closed in on them, kneeling and then- Tenzou flinched, then gasped as he and Kakashi were cradled together in a warm, snug embrace between them, gentle and reassuring and so comforting he wanted to cry.

Chapter Text

“-and thus it is time to move on, lest I spend all my efforts against one enemy, and thusly teach all my art of war.”

“. . .what?” Dan asked, squinting at Jiraiya, who was still affecting a look of wisdom and self-satisfaction, and did not answer. He glanced at Sakumo instead, but he shrugged, not having any better idea what Jiraiya's supposedly sage advice was in reference to nor what had prompted it.

“Oh for kami's sake.” Orochimaru crossed one leg over the other and leaned back in his chair, taking up his cup of sake. “Another woman has figured out his nonsense and grown fed up with it, so he's moving on in hopes she won't beat him.”

“Does that actually work?” Dan asked dubiously as Jiraiya began to protest loudly, and Orochimaru lips curved into a sharp smile as he raised his sake, which Sakumo gathered with amusement meant ‘no’.

Chapter 325: Mama's Makeup

Notes:

Written for the prompt any, any, looking in the mirror.

Chapter Text

“Wanted to look like Mama!” Kakashi said staunchly, though he pouted a little as Orochimaru lifted him up to a chair in front of the mirror. Once there he stood tall, turning to look at himself.

Orochimaru stepped up behind his son, hands on his shoulders, chin just higher than his fluffy silver hair. The purple Kakashi had painted on his face - taken from Orochimaru’s makeup, sneaky cubling - was a bit of a mess, but it did generally follow his eyes and stripe down beside his nose, an approximation of Orochimaru’s chakra marks.

“Good try, cubling,” Orochimaru said, amused and so fond his heart ached with it; he kissed the top of Kakashi's head, “though perhaps you might ask for help with the makeup next time?”

Chapter 326: More

Notes:

Written for the prompt any, any, greedy.

Chapter Text

“Come back here.” Sakumo growled softly, one hand clasping Orochimaru's shoulder and the other catching in his sweat-damp hair.

“You still want more?” Orochimaru asked with a sly smile, even as he let himself be drawn back in close, sliding one thigh across Sakumo's and pushing him gently down with both hands on his chest. Sakumo growled again, eyes heavy-lidded, looking up at Orochimaru with a heated gaze, hands sliding down his body.

“Greedy wolf.” Orochimaru said, not disapprovingly, and settled astride his mate's hips.

Chapter 327: In Iwa (baby bang)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Hello there, lovely.”

Orochimaru let himself be snagged in by the hand sliding behind his nape, arching a brow. Sakumo rumbled affectionately and nuzzled his cheek as he smirked.

“Someone’s been rooting about the edges of our camp again.” Sakumo said softly, and Orochimaru hummed, trailing his fingers over Sakumo’s belly.

“Whoever it is, they’re stupid or inexperienced.” Orochimaru agreed, lowering his lashes.

“Quick, though.” Sakumo said, snapping his teeth playfully by Orochimaru’s ear and making him laugh even as he turned in closer towards his mate. “We’ve not seen a hair of them.”

Orochimaru hummed thoughtfully. “. . .young?” he suggested, and pinched Sakumo when his eyes widened and he made a soft startled sound. “Enemy territory, wolf.”

Sakumo grumbled and nipped his jaw, and Orochimaru shivered, having to remind himself of the same thing for a very different reason. He kissed Sakumo softly, then sighed as he moved away.

They exchanged a look as the quiet scuffling sound came again, from just far enough away it would be difficult to get to the source before they escaped.

Notes:

The theme of the new arc is . . . probably not too difficult a guess, I suppose. XD

next in arc

Chapter 328: Captured (baby bang)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Deidara crept a little closer to the triggered snare, keeping his eyes on everything but the snare itself and the prey it held - that wasn’t where the threat would be from, if there was one. . .

He knew the Konoha nin were around somewhere - it was their snare he was stealing from, as he had been for the past three days. They were busy somewhere else much of the time, and part of Deidara felt like he should try to sabotage them, but really, what could one pre-genin do on his own?

He looked down at his hands when they closed around the hare, and then screamed as something caught him by the neck. It didn’t hurt, he was just yanked up into the air by his shirt, but Deidara kicked and thrashed. One heel slammed into something solid and he jerked in midair, managing to catch a bare bit of forearm with his nails; he yelped as it provoked a low, animalistic growl from whoever was holding him.

“You can calm down, I’m not going to hurt you, cub.”

Deidara scoffed at that and didn’t stop twisting and kicking, trying to land a better blow, even as the Konoha nin - he saw the leaf hitai-ate; he thought they’d been gone for the afternoon, but it was one of the pair he’d seen all right - snagged the hare in his free hand with similar ease to how he’d caught Deidara, and began carrying him away.

Deidara was in so much trouble he thought with a faint whine, remembering warnings and lessons and-

“Ah, wolf-heart, you’ve caught our little mischief.”

Deidara quavered as the other Konoha nin rose from the centre of their camp and approached, bright golden eyes inspecting him.

“He’s just a cub, lovely. Lost?”

“Either lost or should be, if someone let him out looking like that. When was the last time you had a bath or a proper meal?”

Deidara blinked, forgetting to lash out as the second nin came into range, so stunned was he by the question.

“You’re covered in mud and you look hungry.”

“I’m an Iwa-nin! S’posed to be dirty!”

One inky brow arched. “Are you supposed to be hungry?”

Deidara’s stomach grumbled and he shouted a denial that he wasn’t as he struggled with confusion. He’d expected to be hurt or- or eaten himself, not whatever they were saying.

Notes:

Look! It's a baby bang! ;)

next in arc

Chapter 329: Not Alone (baby bang)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Deidara hadn’t meant to relax, but with his stomach not only sated but stuffed for the first time in days, and a warm fire - he hadn’t dared more than tiny sparks on his own, even when he could make them - and lying on soft fur with a heavy quilted kimono - nicer than his best winter blanket - over him. . .

He felt dozy and heavy, and he barely twitched when a gentle touch smoothed over his hair. “Blonde under all that dirt. It’s a wonder he didn’t stand out more.”

“Mostly blonde, eyes, and pout.”

Deidara mumbled a protest, and the hand stroked his hair again. His eyelids drooped.

“He hasn’t done half bad, all on his own.”

“He shouldn’t be all on his own.”

“He’s an Iwa-nin, remember?”

Deidara huffed at the amusement as he was quoted, though he was too sleepy to protest further. The hand on his hair patted his shoulder and he went still again, blinking slowly at the flickering fire.

“He’s not. Not yet. Hasn’t even got a hitai-ate.”

“What are you thinking?”

Deidara fought to wake up more - what were they thinking of doing with him? - but his full belly and cosy position made it hard. Deidara had barely been able to sleep for days, out on his own, looking for his classmates and his sensei, hungry, and. . . He’d been frightened of the Konoha nin - he could think it, even if he wouldn’t say it - but the most unpleasant things they’d done to Deidara were carry him by his shirt and scrub him clean, pulling his hair a bit to get the dried mud out of it.

It was hard to feel threatened when they’d shared food with him and tutted over his being left alone as though they cared and tucked him up in the warmth to rest.

Chapter 330: Lessons (baby bang)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“What are you doing?”

Sakumo looked up at Deidara with a smile. “I’m about to go set more snares. You stole from them quite well before . . . would you like to help me?”

Deidara blinked at him, then grinned, bounding to his feet. “Let’s go!”

Sakumo ruffled his hair and Deidara fought the impulse to lean into him for a moment. He left the camp to begin a circuit just far enough away to not quite spook any game with the noises from the camp itself, Deidara trailing along at his side, hands full of chakra wire and thin rope, asking why he used one knot here and a different one there.

Sakumo answered every question patiently and only hushed Deidara once, with a pat of his hand, as they were following rabbit tracks. It was . . . strange. And fun.


“What are you doing?”

“Re-poisoning these senbon.” Orochimaru said softly, sighting along the long, hollow needles. Deidara eyed him with wide eyes. “Would you like to know what they do?”

Deidara crept closer when Orochimaru smiled at him, and he tried to be quiet and not startling as Orochimaru worked on the sharp little weapons, telling him about them, but Orochimaru didn’t so much as twitch even when Deidara bounced and jostled his arm.

Deidara poked at the waiting senbon curiously and was surprised when Orochimaru put aside his task to ask Deidara if he knew how to use them. He huffed and shook his head, flicking at one moodily, pouting.

Orochimaru grasped his hand and folded his fingers around the polished steel, instructing him in a soft voice and guiding him as he tried it out.

Chapter 331: Lost (baby bang)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Antaru smothered a curse as he slid over a wet creek bed he hadn’t expected to be wet this time of year. He’d left his class in the hands of a colleague - and Rina was definitely going to extract something from him for the trouble - and he’d been out searching for his one missing student for almost a week.

Deidara was a promising student, but . . . it had been a long time for one pre-genin, alone, out here. And they’d fled back to Iwa when Konoha nin had come too close to the area they took their training classes in.

Antaru hoped not, but . . . he was expecting to have to write Deidara off as a death - it had been three years since the last student he had lost - and return probably without even sign of him.

Just as he was contemplating, as he did at least thrice an afternoon, whether he should call it and return home, there was a flash of bright-

Deidara-kun!” Antaru yelled, and the blonde head stilled, then whirled.

“Sensei!” Deidara blinked at him, wide blue eyes shocked.

Kami, Deidara-kun you’ve been missing for two weeks, what the hell have you been up to- Just come back here,” Antaru ordered, beckoning, “we need to get back to the village.”

“No!” Deidara said, and stuck his tongue out. “Not going back!”

Deida- Oh fuck.” Antaru breathed as a sliver of shadow separated from behind a tumbled crest of rock and revealed itself to be a figure familiar though Antaru had never seen him in person before. “Deidara-kun get over here right now!” he barked.

“No!” Deidara yelled back, and the Snake Sannin stalked forwards, approaching Deidara. He reached out a hand and-

It brushed over Deidara’s bright hair, and Deidara fell silent, looking up, then stepped sideways, clinging to the Snake Sannin’s shirt as the White Fang prowled out rather nearer to Antaru. He stumbled backwards.

“Want to stay!” Deidara shouted, and the White Fang smiled, turning his attention from Antaru to Deidara and the Snake Sannin.

“Do you, cub?”

“Stay!” Deidara shouted again, a little less staunchly, fists curling tighter in the Snake Sannin’s shirt.

“I suppose we’ll keep him, then.”

It was the last thing Antaru heard as he bolted back for Iwa, casting up a silent apology to Deidara but planning to file his loud little student as lost in the field as soon as he returned to Iwa.

Chapter 332: Permitted (baby bang)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Can- Can you really bring me ho- back with you?” Deidara asked, and was a little startled when Sakumo and Orochimaru slowed, looking at him. He fidgeted. “Erm.”

“We are bringing you home.” Orochimaru said, firm and impossible to doubt.

“You’re- It’s allowed?” Deidara asked, because he might not have been a full enemy exactly, but. . .

“No one’s going to stop us.” Sakumo and Orochimaru said together.

Orochimaru smirked. “Few would have tried,” he said dryly, sharp teeth showing in his smile as it widened, “and those few learned their lesson when we brought home the second of your brothers.”

“. . .brothers?” Deidara questioned carefully, eyes wide.

Sakumo crouched beside him, hand curving around his arm. Orochimaru moved closer. “Brothers.” Sakumo said gently. “Because we’ll be pack. Family.”

“We are.” Orochimaru said softly, gentle fingers brushing Deidara’s hair out of his face and stroking his cheek. “You said you wished to stay with us; we would like for you to be part of our family. Which means Mama, Dad, and two older brothers for you.”

Deidara swallowed, caught between ‘brothers’ and. . . “You’re. . .” He hesitated. “Brothers won’t . . . mind?” he asked, biting his lip. He wouldn’t know, but it seemed like a surprise sibling, one that had been an enemy nin, would be. . .

Sakumo leaned forwards and nuzzled Deidara’s hair. “You’ll be welcome, cub.”

“Did you bring them home like me?” Deidara asked curiously, leaning into the touch.

Sakumo laughed. “Not . . . exactly. Kakashi was born to us,” he said, and Deidara frowned, “your new Mama is a wonder,” he added, and Deidara eyed Orochimaru, “Tenzou. . .”

“I stole him, but he was already in our village.” Orochimaru - Mama? - said with a sniff. Sakumo. . . Dad huffed, and when Deidara looked at him his expression was caught between amusement and maybe-anger. “No one would dare try to stop us bringing you home, little one.”

Deidara nodded, feeling a little more settled . . . and a lot more curious, knowing he would have big brothers now, once- once they brought him home.

Chapter 333: New Home (baby bang)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Deidara trotted along on Dad’s heels, looking around with wide eyes at the new village, almost forgetting in his curiosity to ask why Mama had looked so angry when he swept off away from them.

“He’s anticipating some irritating questions, no doubt.” Dad said, then put a hand on Deidara’s hair, warm and reassuring. “Not about you. Other things. Besides, I’m sure he’d like to be home with us all.”

Deidara nodded and caught Dad’s sleeve, pointing at something as they passed and asking about it. Dad slowed their pace and indulged him, but as strange as this new place was . . . Deidara was most curious about his new brothers. He was happy to see. . .

“Home?” Deidara asked tentatively, and Dad slid a hand over his shoulders, tugging him in closer.

“Home.” Dad said gently, drawing him in through the gates of the compound and towards the house as he looked around.

Mama returned just as they stepped inside, and Deidara grinned at him. Mama brushed a light touch to his brow as Dad called out, shedding sandals and other gear.

“Kakashi is on a mission.” Mama said, and then-

“Dad!”

Deidara watched as a slim older boy with long dark hair appeared in the doorway across the room and immediately ran towards them, swiftly wrapped into a welcoming embrace as Dad bent towards him. Deidara stepped back to get out of the way as he studied them, and Mama’s hand curved around his shoulder.

Chapter 334: Introductions (baby bang)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Dad!” Tenzou threw himself at Dad and snuggled into his hug, smiling, eyes closed, as he rumbled fondly and nuzzled Tenzou’s hair. It was long moments before Tenzou could bring himself to pull back, but Dad wasn’t letting go either, not until Tenzou moved. He grinned as he stepped back, looking around for Mama.

Tenzou’s eyes widened as his gaze landed on a skinny boy with long sunshine-yellow hair like Kakashi’s Minato-sensei and Naru-kun. Mama had one hand on his shoulder.

Tenzou looked up at Mama, then Dad, then back at the boy.

“Hello!” the boy said, waving, inspecting Tenzou curiously in return.

Mama squeezed his shoulder, then moved forwards and opened his arms for Tenzou. He accepted the hug, nestling into Mama’s arms but still eyeing the boy. “Mama?” he asked quietly.

“This is Deidara.” Mama said, stroking Tenzou’s cheek. “We . . . found him, on our mission, and he needed a new family.”

Tenzou looked at him curiously, leaning sideways as he felt Dad’s hand on his shoulder. “Like . . . our family?” Tenzou hazarded, and Deidara fidgeted. His hair fell across his face as he tilted his head.

“They said I’d have new brothers now. . .”

Tenzou hesitated, but nodded, then stepped forwards, holding out a hand. “Hello, Deidara-kun. Welcome home?”

He was startled when Deidara grinned and not only grabbed his hand but pressed up close to him for a moment. “You don’t mind?” he asked, a flash of something hopeful and maybe-anxious in his wide blue eyes.

Tenzou wasn’t entirely sure how he felt about Deidara, but he wasn’t going to say anything about it to him. He hugged Deidara around the shoulders, feeling him stiffen, then go suddenly lax, and awkwardly patted his long hair.

Chapter 335: Specialisation (baby bang)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru paused just shy of the doorway as he heard Tenzou speaking with Deidara, and lingered out of sight, not wanting to interrupt. Their household was changing with the addition to their family, and things had gone well thus far - they had both spoken to Tenzou without Deidara and he had settled even more; Orochimaru anticipated another hiccup but also that Tenzou would be more comfortable when Kakashi returned - but they were all still adjusting.

“What do you do that’s special?” Deidara asked, bright and curious, and Orochimaru smiled slightly.

Tenzou laughed softly, and Orochimaru looked carefully around the doorframe. “I . . . make things grow.” Tenzou said, and made a seal, a vine blooming from his palms that sprouted into deep purple flowers.

Deidara’s eyes widened. “Whoa!”

“Mokuton.” Tenzou said, then shifted. “I’m the only one who can do it, now.”

Deidara looked at him, nodding, and inched a little closer.

Tenzou flexed his fingers and the vine melted away again. “What do you do?” he asked even as Deidara pouted a little.

Deidara perked up immediately. “Oh! I make things bang!” he cried, bouncing. Orochimaru’s brows rose, though he had seen squads of Iwa nin specialising in explosives.

“. . .oh?” Tenzou said cautiously.

“I can show!” Deidara said, and scrambled to his feet. “Erm. Outside?”

“All right.” Tenzou said with a smile, rising as well.

“. . .they- they won’t mind?”

“As long as we keep it outside, in the practise part of the garden, Mama and Dad,” Tenzou emphasised gently, and Orochimaru felt a pulse of fond warmth for his second son as he watched Deidara brighten, “will not mind. Although- Mama! Deidara’s going to show me something loud outside!” he called, suddenly louder, and reached for Deidara’s hand.

“Don’t hurt yourselves.” Orochimaru called back as they walked through to the back of the house, moving to where he would be able to see them outside.

Notes:

The baby bang has his bakuton (explosive release) kekkai genkai, of course, but he does not have the mouths in his hands and chest (since in canon he stole that kinjutsu after he was in the Explosives Corps, and it was why he went nukenin). (I may do one later wherein the baby bang has bitty mouths already before coming to the snekwolf family - or where he/they find the kinjutsu and he uses it after coming to them.)

next in arc

Chapter 336: Surprise Otouto (baby bang)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Tadaiiii-” Kakashi broke off, nose twitching at the new scent in the air as his eyes caught on the small, sunny blond but unfamiliar figure beside Tenzou. “There’s a new little one with otouto. Mama?” He tilted his head.

“No one’s noticed we brought him in yet.” Mama said, moving to greet Kakashi with a hug.

Kakashi snorted, nestling into the embrace. “Did you steal him, Mama?”

“He was lost.” Mama kissed his cheek. “And he wanted to come. Go meet your new otouto?” he asked gently, cupping Kakashi’s jaw as he stepped back.

Kakashi dipped his head, shedding his sandals and padding into the main room. “Hel-”

“Who’re you?” his new brother, evidently, asked brashly, looking up from behind a thick sweep of his sunny bright hair.

“That’s Kakashi-aniki.” Tenzou said, long-suffering. “Aniki, welcome home.” He smiled.

“Oh! Sorry Kakashi-nii. . .”

Kakashi smiled back. “Hello, otouto.” He shifted his gaze from Tenzou to the little blond. “Both of you.”

Tenzou began to rise and Kakashi crouched and moved in close to wrap him in a hug, nuzzling his shoulder. He looked beyond Tenzou to see the younger boy fidgeting, and drew back to crook his fingers in an open invitation as he met Tenzou’s eyes.

A moment later he had a bony little weight pressed against his side and he hugged both of them snugly.

“You don’t mind ‘m here?”

“Of course he doesn’t, Deidara.” Tenzou soothed, and Kakashi smiled.

“It’s good to meet you, Deidei.” Kakashi said, and ruffled his hair when he turned huge blue eyes up on Kakashi.

Chapter 337: Bakuton (baby bang)

Notes:

previous in arc

Originally yesterday's was the end of this Baby Bang arc . . . but Deidei deserved at least one explosion here - he's been such a good, adorable wee bang~ So I wrote this one this morning.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“You should show Aniki!”

Kakashi’s brows rose. “Show me what?” he asked, slipping around the corner towards his brother. His brothers. He cocked his head. Deidara was bouncing a little on his toes, but looked up at Tenzou, then back at Kakashi, without speaking.

“Deidara has bakuton. He should show you.” Tenzou urged, nudging Deidara behind one shoulder.

Kakashi eyed him. “Really? Will you show me?” he asked, smiling.

Deidara grinned, bounding off the engawa into the back garden. “Yeah! Bakuhatsu!”

Tenzou looked faintly baffled. Kakashi laughed, springing off the engawa and following after his new baby brother. He caught up to Deidara in a few strides, but followed him further away from the house - probably wise, if he truly did have bakuton.

“I’ll show you!” Deidara said, and Kakashi ran his fingers absently through disarranged blond hair, nodding. Deidara grinned, then turned away and squinted, bringing his hands up and running through a handful of seals with practised smoothness.

“Katsu!” Deidara almost barked, and a doton trap - a little inelegant, but workable - surged upwards around a rock perhaps twenty paces away. Kakashi nodded slightly, then stilled as it shattered outwards with a loud bang, which Deidara echoed with a gleeful shout.

Kakashi laughed, and Deidara grinned up at him. “Bakuton!” he shouted.

“So you have. Impressive, Deidei.” Kakashi ruffled his hair as he blinked, eyes going wide. “What else can you do?”

Deidara’s grin widened, turning a little feral, and he bounced excitedly as he whirled away, hands already coming up again.

Notes:

This isn't the last you'll see of the baby bang with his new family! Much like Tenzou and Kabuto, Deidara will come around again (likely mostly with this backstory, whether explicitly part of this arc or not) - I already have a list of plans for him. ;)

Chapter 338: Rattle

Notes:

Today is the 1-year anniversary of the first SakuOro story I posted - first of nineteen, and with plenty more planned~ For them and Kakashi and whatever other little ones they pick up along the way.

Chapter Text

“You’re sure you don’t mind, Ishi?” Orochimaru asked as he crouched, Kakashi nestled in the sling across his chest. He was squirming and pulling at Orochimaru’s hair, restlessly unsettled.

Ishi coiled up a little more and flicked his tail with a brief buzz. “I do not mind watching the hatchling.” he said in his whisper-rough voice.

Orochimaru inclined his head and began disentangling Kakashi from his hair and yukata. He fussed and squirmed harder, but in a few moments Orochimaru had him loose and lifted him out of the sling.

He kicked his feet, tiny hands flexing as he looked around, and Orochimaru nestled him in the centre of Ishi’s coils. “I will be near if you need me.” he said cautiously, smoothing a hand down Kakashi’s chest. He rocked back on his heels but didn’t yet rise.

Ishi murmured in Kakashi’s ear, nosing it gently, and brought his tail up by Kakashi’s feet. Kakashi’s head twitched as he looked at it, and he froze when Ishi rattled it rapidly.

Kakashi yipped, reaching out. Ishi gave another quick buzz, then moved his tail. Kakashi laughed and yipped again, wriggling in Ishi’s coils.

Orochimaru smiled and rose, moving quietly away. He left the sling on the grass not far from Ishi and Kakashi and went to hang out the laundry, glancing back at his son from time to time.

Kakashi was well entertained, it seemed, by Ishi’s rattle, which he moved about to new angles between every few buzzing rattles.

Orochimaru hummed as he straightened Sakumo’s heavier coat, then hauled out one of the heavy winter kakebuton, freshly washed before being put away for the season. It was a mundane task, but it felt good to stretch and move back and forth a little at it without the balance of Kakashi in his sling as he worked.

Chapter 339: Alarm (cubling squeaks)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru jerked, the book he’d been holding tumbling to the floor as he looked to his son and then darted to Kakashi’s side. Kakashi’s face was squinched up as he made a very breathy squeaking noise, gasping through it.

“What’s wrong, precious?” Orochimaru smoothed his hands over Kakashi lightly before picking up him, but found no sudden hurts or anything else strange. He cradled Kakashi to his chest, and frowned as he squeaked and cried again. “I have you, what is it. . .” He rocked Kakashi, stroking his cheek.

It wasn’t any of the noises Kakashi normally made when he needed or wanted something, but he didn’t seem to want anything, either. Orochimaru ran through a small iryou jutsu and found nothing amiss.

He sank down to lean against the wall, Kakashi cradled in his arms, and watched his son huff through more strange little squeaky cries until finally he tired himself out and went to sleep, nuzzling his face into Orochimaru’s chest. Orochimaru held him close, lips pressed together, watching him breathe more peacefully and worrying.

Chapter 340: Homecoming Howl (cubling squeaks)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo rolled his shoulders as the gate to the Hatake compound closed behind him, a smile tugging at his lips. Home. He hurried up the path towards-

Sakumo’s eyes widened at the thinnest, squeakiest, hitching-

Howl.

Sakumo bolted up and into the house, grinning, following the tiny howl to his cub in his mate’s arms. “Cub!” he cried, leaning over Kakashi as he drew a hitching breath and howled again. “Oh!”

“Sakumo!” Orochimaru greeted, and Sakumo lifted his head and kissed his mate, quick and soft.

“Hello, lovely.” He hummed, nuzzling Orochimaru’s cheek, then looked back down at their cub as Kakashi howled again. “Ohh, you’re howling already! So young!”

“. . .that’s a howl?” Orochimaru questioned blankly, and Sakumo tsked, lifting Kakashi from his mother’s arms and bouncing him a little.

“He’s very little,” Sakumo said, shaking his head, “it will get bigger,” he wrinkled his nose at Kakashi, “just as he will. Oh, you’re howling!” He crooned and kissed Kakashi’s brow. “Such a clever little cub!”

Kakashi howled again, and Sakumo drew a shallow breath and let out a very soft howl of his own.

Kakashi’s howl spiked into something closer to a yip for a moment as he wriggled, eyes bright. Sakumo shifted his grip quickly as his cub nearly wriggled out of his arms.

“A baby howl.” Orochimaru said, sighing, and Sakumo noted the tension easing out of his mate’s shoulders, but was distracted by the squeaky sound of another tiny howl.

Chapter 341: Precocious Awoo (cubling squeaks)

Chapter Text

“Are you all right, lovely?”

Orochimaru looked up from his tea as Sakumo stepped into the kitchen, their son cuddled close in his arms. Orochimaru’s eyes lingered on Kakashi, who was now quiet. He licked his lips. “He. . . He was howling?” He met Sakumo’s gaze.

Sakumo blinked, then moved towards him more quickly. “Oh. Oh, yes. It takes a while,” he said, smiling crookedly, “to get the hang of it . . . and his voice is as little as the rest of him right now.”

“And. . . And nothing is wrong?” Orochimaru questioned, and Sakumo reached out, knuckles brushing his cheek before he rested a hand on Orochimaru’s shoulder.

“He’s fine, lovely. Hatake cubs . . . howl.” Sakumo smiled at him, nodding a little.

“Like Hatake in general.” Orochimaru said dryly, though a part of him still ached with the two days of worry over the small squeaking sounds. “You didn’t tell me.” he said, voice low. “That he might howl. I had no- I thought-”

Sakumo pressed close, hand sliding down Orochimaru’s back. “I’m sorry, lovely. Hatake cubs howl, but,” he shifted Kakashi in his arms, “not usually so young. I am amazed.” He lifted Kakashi and nuzzled their noses together, prompting a soft, familiar wolfish sound of contentment from their son. “I wouldn’t have expected it so early, at all.”

Orochimaru nodded, taking a few deep breaths. Sakumo stroked his back, then cupped a hand at the nape of his neck. “I’m sorry, lovely; when did he start?”

Orochimaru laughed, rubbing his face. “The day after you left. I- There wasn’t anything I could find wrong with him, and he didn’t seem to want anything. . .” He paused, thinking of Sakumo’s soft howl and Kakashi’s delighted response, then smiled slightly, looking up. “Except perhaps for you.”

Sakumo grinned, looking ridiculously pleased and proud again. A fond smile curved Orochimaru’s lips, despite the lingering tension of the worry he’d carried since that first squeaking . . . howl.

Chapter 342: Mama's Shirt

Chapter Text

Orochimaru slipped into his home as quietly as he could manage, shedding his sandals and then his heavier gear as well, leaving it on the floor near the genkan. He ghosted through the house towards the bathing room, washing up quickly and pulling on one of Sakumo’s yukata that had been left on the shelf near the door.

He paused in the bedroom doorway with a smile.

Sakumo was curled on his side around a small lump under the kakebuton; a tuft of silvery-white hair like his own just barely showed from beneath it. Orochimaru sighed, stepping inside and closing the door, cutting off most of the little moonlight there had been.

He moved carefully as he approached the futon, eyes adjusting to the lower light. He drew back the kakebuton to take his place on the other side of Kakashi, then paused. Kakashi was wrapped in. . .

Orochimaru reached out, catching the dark fabric - blue, or purple perhaps - between his fingers. It was. . .

“He missed his Mama very much.” Sakumo said, voice rough with sleep. “It helped. Your shirt.”

Orochimaru’s heart ached warmly as he settled down. “I missed him too. And you.” he returned softly, and reached past their son to stroke his mate’s cheek.

Sakumo nuzzled his palm and pressed a kiss to the centre. “I missed you, lovely.” he said, then groaned as he shifted a little.

“Go back to sleep.” Orochimaru said gently. “I’ll be here.”

Sakumo kissed his palm again, and a broad, warm hand settled on his hip beneath the kakebuton.

Chapter 343: Shared Songs

Chapter Text

Orochimaru smiled, only just stirring from his doze at the sound of his mate howling in the half-wild garden not far away. Sakumo’s voice was piercing and loud, but familiar - and not so loud, currently, as he could have sung, Orochimaru was well aware.

Orochimaru twitched, waking further, as a thin squeaking answered it. He opened his eyes and tilted his head, looking down to where Kakashi rested by his thigh, head on his lap, squirming a little as he gave his own tiny squeak of a howl in answer to his father’s stronger voice.

Orochimaru smiled slightly, stroking a hand over Kakashi’s hair and down his back as he took another hitching breath. Orochimaru looked out to see Sakumo turning towards them, eyes bright, and fancied he could just about see Sakumo’s achingly proud, adoring heart in his eyes.

“There you are, cubling.” Orochimaru murmured, trailing his fingers up and down Kakashi’s side as he gave another squeaky howl and Sakumo almost crooned into another of his own stronger ones.

Chapter 344: Pack Songs

Chapter Text

Orochimaru leaned back, looking out through the window to the pair of wolves in the back garden. Sakumo tipped his head up and howled, long and low. Kakashi wobbled a bit at his side, following suit with a higher, warbling howl that nevertheless steadied into a proper wolfsong.

Sakumo drew out his own, dropping into quiet for only a moment when it ended before picking up at a new pitch. Kakashi needed to stop more quickly, not having the breath his father did yet.

Orochimaru shook his head a little as he sat forwards again, looking down at his youngest in his arms. “At least you make a reasonable amount of noise for a hatchling, mm?” he crooned, and Tenzou giggled, wriggling in his arms. “What a good hatchlingcub you are, precious!”

Tenzou grabbed at his hair and Orochimaru laughed, letting him have his handfuls of it, pulling gently as he giggled. “Ah, yes, precious. Do you hear your Daddy and your Aniki? Mm?”

They were still howling, of course, but the sound was a familiar one - for Orochimaru and for Tenzou, who was calm even as they grew louder, contentedly playing with the locks of Orochimaru’s hair caught in his hands.

Chapter 345: Fuji Daydreams (wolf & hime)

Notes:

previous in arc

 

It took me longer than anticipated, but there's a bit more in this arc now!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo fingered the stalk of soft purple fuji in his lap, leaning against the table beside him and looking out at the stream not far away. He wasn’t really paying it any mind, though, remembering instead the lovely sweetness of . . . a hime that had never been real, and a yearning he’d had long before their game of pretend.

Orochimaru feigning delicacy and love and the closeness they’d shared on the mission had most definitely not lessened it, however. It made his heart ache, but . . . it had been nice . . . while it lasted. Sakumo sighed and twirled the stalk of fuji, remembering the delicate kanzashi trailing little jewelled replicas with which he had helped to pin up Orochimaru’s hair several times.

He startled as a cool hand slid over his, looking down to see slender white fingers plucking the fuji from his grip, then up to meet warm golden eyes. Orochimaru brought up the fuji and smiled - at it, at Sakumo; he wasn’t sure.

“What made you think,” Orochimaru said, not in the voice of the hime he had pretended but his own, low and smoky, “that I would let you go, wolf?”

Chapter 346: Serpent Hime (wolf & hime)

Chapter Text

“You. . . You truly want me?” Sakumo questioned, and Orochimaru frowned slightly, moving closer.

“I,” he paused, “am intrigued by you. I found I like you.” Sakumo grinned and Orochimaru could almost picture him with puppyishly perked ears in his messy silver hair, and a wagging tail. It shouldn’t have been so cute. “I would like to try for more.”

Sakumo hummed, sliding a little closer. “I am very happy to be given the chance to win your affections, then, lovely.”

Orochimaru couldn’t quite fight a smile, amused. “. . .so long as you remember I am not, truly, a delicate hime. No matter what I may be capable of portraying.” He lifted his chin.

Sakumo nodded, but Orochimaru hadn’t truly been too concerned about it after working with him for weeks undercover on that mission. He had been doting and careful, but never failed to respect Orochimaru’s strength or skill.

“. . .my serpent hime?” Sakumo said softly, startling him.

Orochimaru’s eyes widened and Sakumo nuzzled his palm, then nipped his wrist with sharp teeth, glancing up at Orochimaru. He found himself speechless for a moment.

“I. . .” Orochimaru began, and Sakumo kissed his wrist instead, giving a soft, friendly growl. “I’ll allow that. I suppose.” he said a little unsteadily, faintly wondering if he had been as prepared for this as he thought as Sakumo rose, still clasping his hand, and came close, broad and warm and solid.

“Lovely.” Sakumo murmured again, steady and sure, his eyes fixed on Orochimaru’s.

Chapter 347: Market Howls

Chapter Text

Kiyoko hummed, ticking down her mental shopping list and only just stopping herself from reaching absently for Kazuhito, who was not roaming at her side, but left with her best friend to look after for the day. She smiled. She loved her son, but . . . it was nice to not have to constantly watch him - just for a little while.

She threaded through a shortcut, enjoying the ability to hop up to the rooftops, cross quickly, and drop back down again without scooping up her toddler - or worrying about him being alarmed by the jumps or unsteady in her arms.

She was back down and browsing a fruit stall when something caught her ear, a sort of . . . was that a squeaking noise?

Kiyoko looked around, fingers pausing on the oranges she was looking over, and her brows rose as she saw Hatake with his baby and his . . . partner nowhere in sight. She sighed softly.

Kazuhito was with Aya for the afternoon and Kiyoko appreciated it, but it would have been nice if his father would take him sometimes, too.

Hatake lifted his baby a little higher and nuzzled his brow, and Kiyoko realised that the strange sound was coming from the baby. She frowned, faintly concerned. Hatake didn’t seem to be, but then, what would a man know about babies?

She drifted thoughtlessly closer just as another nin she didn’t recognise stepped up to Hatake.

“Is your baby supposed to be making that noise? He sounds broken.”

If Kiyoko were less controlled she would have gaped at the man. Honestly.

Hatake shifted the baby again. “He just misses his Mama. What noise is he making you think a cub shouldn’t? Don’t you know anything about little ones?”

“I know what noises babies make! Mine’s always noisy. Especially at night. How are you dealing with it without his mother?”

“Well,” Hatake kissed the baby’s hair and his squirming settled a little, “it’s hard. He misses his Mama and at this age that means he howls for Mama a lot. But we do all right and Mama will be home soon, yes cub?” He crooned, and the baby made the squeaking noise again, interrupted by little hitching breaths.

Chapter 348: Mama Promised (Mama's Makeup)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Mama! Mama!”

Sakumo freed himself of the mess of laundry he was folding and went to find his cub. Kakashi was poking around their bedroom.

“Mama’s not home right now, cub, what is it?” Sakumo asked, because Kakashi didn’t seem distressed.

Kakashi pouted. “Mama promised!” he said, which was not helpful.

“What, cub?” Sakumo asked patiently, moving closer.

Kakashi tugged at Orochimaru’s tansu. “Mama promised! Face like Mama’s! Purple!”

Sakumo frowned, then remembered Orochimaru telling him about Kakashi’s experiments with in his makeup a week or so before.

“Well, Mama isn’t home,” Sakumo said, crossing to Kakashi’s side and clasping his wrist, “but I know how to use Mama’s makeup.”

Kakashi looked at him with wide eyes and Sakumo grinned. “Since Mama said it was all right, shall we paint your face with Mama’s markings and surprise him?”

Kakashi giggled and tugged excitedly at Sakumo’s arm.

Chapter 349: Surprise Mama (Mama's Makeup)

Chapter Text

“Tadaima.” Orochimaru called absently as he made his way into the house. He could smell fish cooking, and sighed, pleased.

“Okaeri, lovely.” Sakumo returned from the kitchen, and Orochimaru considered the cushions by the irori for a moment, then followed his mate’s voice.

“Hi Mama!” Kakashi cried as he stepped through the doorway, and he looked down with a smile only to startle. “Surprise! Dad was right! Like Mama!”

Kakashi had vibrant purple stripes outlining his eyes and following down his nose, a very close match to Orochimaru’s chakra marks.

“Oh.” Orochimaru said, crouching. “So you are, precious. Just like Mama.” He reached for Kakashi’s face and he grinned, barely holding still as Orochimaru cupped his jaw.

“He wanted to try today, and I know you said it was all right as long as he had help.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru scooped up their son as he rose, leaning into his mate for an affectionate nuzzle. “We had a fun afternoon.”

“Of course it’s fine. You’re adorable, precious.” Orochimaru told Kakashi, and he giggled, squirming in Orochimaru’s grip.

Orochimaru didn’t regret that his son didn’t have his markings - and for all that Kakashi was a little wolf like his father, he wasn’t only a wolf - but. . . He smiled fondly as Kakashi giggled again and chattered at his father, the purple on his face rich in the low light of the kitchen.

It was a sweet sight all the same.

Chapter 350: Hivernation

Notes:

Intentional spelling of the title. ;)

Chapter Text

“Don’t you want to come and play, otouto?” Kakashi’s excited question was almost a bark. Tenzou shivered at the very thought.

“Nooo. . .” Tenzou shook his head and backed up.

“You don’t have to if you don’t want to, my little sapling cub.” Dad said, petting his head, and Tenzou looked up with a smile, leaning into him. “Going to stay here with Mama?”

Tenzou nodded, hugging Dad and then backing away hurriedly as he moved towards Kakashi by the door. Tenzou shivered as he watched them slip outside into the world of glittery white snow, and turned tail to head towards where Mama was settled at the kotatsu instead.

“Hello, my darling.” Mama said as Tenzou approached, holding out a hand. Tenzou sighed happily and nestled into the stroke of his fingers, and Mama smiled. “Not going out to play with your father and brother?”

Tenzou shivered again. “No. Is cold.” he said firmly as he settled to his knees beside Mama, and Mama laughed.

“It is indeed. Too cold for snakes like Mama.” Mama shivered theatrically and Tenzou giggled. “I don’t like it much.”

Trees hiber- haber-. Erm. Sleep in winter.” Tenzou said stoutly, and crawled closer.

“Hibernate, darling.” Mama said helpfully, and Tenzou mumbled it to himself, nodding. “Not generally under kotatsu.” he added, and Tenzou giggled, making his way under the drape and curling up against Mama’s leg.

“Warm.” Tenzou said, and yawned.

“It is.” Mama stroked down his back. “Comfortable?”

“Best.” Tenzou said sleepily, nestling his head on Mama’s thigh. “Trees hivernate. Like Mama snake.”

Chapter 351: Search (nukenin)

Notes:

This arc picks up roughly off of Hypocrisy, from Broken Pack. I was encouraged. ;)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

No one stopped Sakumo from leaving through the gates, his cub at his side, as he had expected they would not . . . but he wondered what they thought. Did they think he was taking Kakashi out for a hunting trip? Training? Travel for pleasure?

Did they think Sakumo was indeed going nukenin, and taking his young genius - who he had already heard called the hope and strength of the new generation - of a cub along with him?

Sakumo shook his head, glancing down at Kakashi, lips quirking. Kakashi looked up at him with a grin that would have showed his fangs, if he weren’t wearing his mask. He’d taken to it after his mother left, and even Sakumo rarely saw him without it any longer.

“We’re going to find Mama, right Dad?” Kakashi asked, catching his hand, leaning into Sakumo firmly. Sakumo smiled and nodded.

“Yeah, cub. We’re going to find Mama.” Sakumo glanced back at Konoha’s walls, rapidly being blocked out of sight by the great trees Hi no Kuni was so known for.

Sakumo knew he would never be back. Not in any welcome fashion.

There would never be Hatake in Konoha again, their compound locked up; many of their heirlooms left in the house still thick with traps. Sakumo wondered how long it would take for them to realise he was gone, Kakashi was gone.

“Let’s go.” Sakumo urged, and they began moving faster, eager energy fuelling them both, it seemed, as they headed out to begin their search.

Chapter 352: Found (nukenin)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo felt a shiver down his spine, heart clenching, as they approached the wide jaws of a stone snake. Kakashi didn’t hesitate, darting for it, and Sakumo followed quickly.

“Cub!” Sakumo warned, senses alert. While his mother would never hurt him . . . traps held no such distinctions, and Sakumo did not know if anyone else had joined his mate - if there were strangers they very well might not be so restrained. “Go slowly, we don’t know-”

“Mama!” Kakashi drew the word out into a longing howl, forgetting all the clever caution Sakumo knew he possessed.

Sakumo’s heart hurt. His cub, usually so cool and withdrawn . . . Kakashi just wanted his mother. Sakumo felt worse that he had not had any idea how much Kakashi still missed Orochimaru over the time since he had been driven away, only because Kakashi had never spoken of him.

The door deep in the serpent’s mouth, where the entrance to the throat would be, slid open, and Sakumo’s heart clenched.

A slender figure in pale purple stepped into view, hair like a spill of ink falling across his face, and Sakumo’s knees trembled.

Mama!” Kakashi howled, and flung himself forwards.

Orochimaru’s impassive expression cracked, face twisting and golden eyes widening. “Oh!” he breathed, taking a step forwards and then dropping to one knee, arms wide.

Kakashi dove into them, all but climbing up his body and holding on tight. Orochimaru’s arms closed around him just as tightly, both of them shaking.

“We came to find you!” Kakashi said, half gasping, nestling tighter against Orochimaru.

He looked up and met Sakumo’s eyes, and Sakumo couldn’t breathe.

Chapter 353: Dearest in the World (nukenin)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Oh, darling.” Orochimaru stroked his son’s face, breath catching painful in his chest.

Kakashi was here, with him, warm under his hand. Kakashi snuggled into his touch. “I missed you so much, Mama.” he said softly, as he had so many times today.

Orochimaru bent and kissed his brow, cuddling him close again. Kakashi was a bit too old to be so coddled in Orochimaru’s lap, but he didn’t protest, just as he hadn’t even when Orochimaru picked him up and rocked him. “I missed you so, my darling little cubling.” Orochimaru said softly, settling him down again reluctantly and trailing fingertips behind his ear and down to his neck, rubbing gently and making him wriggle and croon.

The dearest thing in the world, in his world, Orochimaru thought, blinking back tears. And he was back.

Orochimaru rose and Kakashi jolted up immediately. “Mama! Don’t leave!” he begged, clinging to Orochimaru’s obi. “Please! Stay with me?”

Orochimaru’s heart cracked. “Oh. . .”

Kakashi whimpered piteously, eyes huge and wet. “Mama was gone and- and you’re here and I don’t want to. . .”

“I’ll stay.” Orochimaru said, and curled his legs beneath himself, settling at the top of the futon he had laid out for his son. Kakashi snuggled into his thighs and kept his fingers curled in Orochimaru’s obi. He stroked Kakashi’s hair and kept him cosily close, even as he slowly drifted to sleep.

Orochimaru had been going to go seek out his. . .

Orochimaru swallowed, throat tight and achy. He hadn’t truly wished to leave Kakashi, either. Although curling up like this with Kakashi cuddled close to him was bringing up old memories of an old nest with his family, fresher than they had been in years . . . and less painful, if only just.

Orochimaru trailed a caress over Kakashi’s face and sighed softly.

Chapter 354: Holder of My Heart (nukenin)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru ran his fingers through Kakashi’s hair, again and again, the familiar silky strands sliding easily between his fingers. Kakashi slept peacefully, head on his thighs.

“Sakumo.” Orochimaru said, voice low, knowing Sakumo would hear him.

Knowing Sakumo was right outside, still.

The door opened, and a moon-bright head peeked through. “M- Lo- . . .Orochimaru.”

Orochimaru felt a faint twist of amusement and fondness despite himself. “Wolf.” he said, not quite the petname he had fallen into after years, but hearkening to the softness he had put into it when they were first courting, first mated.

Sakumo’s eyes were a bit darker than usual, and joy warred with regret. “I don’t expect to be forgiven, and I deserve anything you wish to shout at me.”

“I shan’t shout.” Orochimaru said, lips twitching.

Sakumo’s eyes dropped to Kakashi cuddled in Orochimaru’s lap, then quickly back up to meet his own.

“Not only for his sake.” Orochimaru continued. He had certainly considered any number of things, over the years, that he might shout at-

At his mate.

Sakumo still held his heart, for all that Orochimaru had been driven away from his family - the only family he had - and bled inside when they. . .

He swallowed painfully.

“Come here.” Orochimaru said thickly, crooking his fingers.

Chapter 355: Family Den (nukenin)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo’s eyes widened, but he answered his mate’s call immediately. He stopped just beyond the futon, wavering. “. . .Orochimaru?”

Orochimaru crooked his fingers again, and Sakumo sank down on the edge of the futon.

“. . .you may call me as you like.” Orochimaru said, and beckoned to him as his heart pounded.

“I will forgive you, wolf.” he added, and Sakumo put a hand out; he would have fallen if he had still been on his feet.

“I will also have many things to say to you.” Orochimaru said, eyes narrowing, and Sakumo bowed his head. “For now, come here. With us. The way we. . .” he trailed off.

The way we should be.

Sakumo’s breath caught and his eyes burned at the unspoken words. He lowered himself further, just barely on the futon himself, and froze when a soft, cool touch brushed his brow. He looked up to his mate. “I- Lovely?” he ventured tentatively.

“Aishiteru, wolf.” Orochimaru said in a rough, thin voice. “My family.”

His hand fell away and he shifted a little, Kakashi cuddled in his lap, still sound asleep. More soundly than he had slept any time in Sakumo’s recent memory.

Orochimaru stroked his hair, and Kakashi snuffled and crooned a little, thick with sleep, face buried against his mother’s hip even as Orochimaru moved to lie down, curling around their son.

Chapter 356: Forgiveness (nukenin)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru stood near one of the few windows - most of this place was underground - looking . . . faintly unreal in the golden sunlight, and far out of reach. Sakumo’s heart ached, but it was so very much less here, now . . . his cub was happy once more, and even if he was not welcomed close, or offered contact, to have his mate before him, near, once more. . .

Sakumo was happier here than he had been the last three years in Konoha.

“Come here, wolf-heart.” Orochimaru said, shifting his weight and glancing over his shoulder. He crooked his fingers as Sakumo approached as invited, then curled them around Sakumo’s wrist, drawing him in and-

Sakumo’s heart pounded as Orochimaru drew him close, so close he could feel his mate’s lean body against his chest and thighs. Orochimaru leaned into him, and Sakumo’s arms came up reflexively only to still in the air.

Orochimaru tugged at him lightly, and Sakumo wound his mate into a snug embrace, cuddling close to him. “Lovely.” he sighed, head dipping towards Orochimaru’s shoulder, then stopping as he held back. “I. . .”

Orochimaru inclined his head to the window, and Sakumo looked out to see their cub playing with a sinuous flash of silver in the undergrowth. Kakashi acting like a cub rather than a tiny adult ninja for the first time in months, or longer.

Orochimaru tilted his head away, baring his slender throat, silky hair sliding away. Sakumo’s breath caught, but this time he didn’t stop himself as he dipped his head to nuzzle his mate’s shoulder and neck. Orochimaru knew what that gesture invited, open and easy. Sakumo pressed his lips to the slender curve of Orochimaru’s neck.

“I love you, my mate.” Sakumo said against the throb of Orochimaru’s pulse. “I. . . I am sorry we did not come in search of you before. I regret it for. . .” He trembled.

“Forgiven.” Orochimaru said, voice soft, and smoothed his fingers over Sakumo’s forearm. “We have already spoken of it, wolf-heart.”

“I don’t d-”

“Sakumo.” Orochimaru tilted his head, catching Sakumo’s gaze with one bright eye. “I have forgiven you. I love you. I would have you forgive yourself. You are here now,” he paused, nestling closer, “and you will never leave our family - our pack,” he corrected, “or allow us to be taken away, again, will you?”

Sakumo snarled, embrace tightening thoughtlessly, and Orochimaru smiled, relaxing cosily into his arms. “Good. Then . . . let it go, and be with us here and now, wolf-heart.”

Chapter 357: Play Later

Chapter Text

“Kakashi-nii!”

Kakashi groaned as a small, warm weight bounced on his back. He turned further into his pillow.

Kakashi-nii! Ohayou!” Deidara shouted brightly. “Can we go out to the forest, Kakashi-nii? You promised! You said we could play!”

Kakashi pressed his face into the pillow. “Yes.” he mumbled a little breathlessly as Deidara bounced on his spine just below his shoulder blades.

Listening closely, Kakashi could just hear the sounds of Tenzou next door, breathing still slow and sleepy, and one of his parents doing something in the kitchen further away. Then Deidara-

“Kakashi-nii!”

“We can go,” Kakashi said, rolling over and sending Deidara spilling sideways beside him, “out exploding things, but after breakfast, all right Deidei?”

Deidara beamed, bouncing on his knees on the futon this time. Kakashi reached up. “Not ready yet, right?”

Deidara pouted. “Don’t think so. . .”

Kakashi snagged him by the collar of his yukara and tugged him down. “Rest. Then breakfast. Then we will go out and I’ll take you somewhere you can,” he paused, amused, “play.”

Deidara huffed and Kakashi hooked an arm around his shoulders and tugged him down.

“Play later?” Deidara asked softly, tense.

“Promise.” Kakashi assured him, rubbing his back, and he went limp against Kakashi’s side.

“Okay.” Deidara agreed, propping his chin on Kakashi’s ribs.

Chapter 358: Glint and Glimmer (smitten shark)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Oh, come on!”

Sakumo laughed and let the silt he had been sifting through his fingers drift back to the seafloor, keeping only the stray glimmer of a pretty purple gem - the sparkle that had first caught his eye. He flicked his tail and headed after Dan, who was fluttering his fins impatiently in the way he had that made everyone assume he was a flirt.

A few more strokes of his tail and by the time Sakumo caught up to his friend he sped past Dan easily. He laughed as Dan cursed softly and hurried after him, slowing just a little to allow his friend to catch up.

Another stray glint in the light made him turn his head and his eyes widened as his body thoughtlessly shifted to follow only to slam into Dan as he rolled and Dan caught up with unfortunate timing.

The slinky coil of gleaming white scales writhed and the great serpentine tail twisted to reveal the slender, flexible upper body of the pale mer.

“Sakumo!” Dan’s tail coiled around his own and a hand slid over his side. “Are you all right?”

Sakumo realised the angle at which they’d made contact and dragged his gaze away from the stranger to look at Dan. “Did I-”

“Fine.” Dan said wryly, patting at the base of his nearer dorsal fin. “Not like you to be so incautious about your spines.”

Sakumo glanced back and his tail twitched with the impulse to follow as he saw the snake beginning to move away. That would be. . . Ridiculous, however. Sakumo let out a long sigh, disentangling himself from Dan with an apologetic pat - he squeezed pointedly with his tail around Sakumo’s near the caudal fin, clearly amused - and straightened himself out. “I was distracted.” he offered, aware it was not going to satisfy Dan.

Distracted.” Dan repeated, following him as he began to swim once more. “You were distracted enough to crash into me.”

Sakumo cringed a little. He hadn’t really thought that was likely to work, no.

Sakumo. . .” Dan chased after him. “What’s gotten into you?” A smirk began to curve his lips, his fins flaring.

Sakumo twisted and darted away, putting more energy into his strokes, keeping ahead of Dan fairly easily. “Nothing!” he defended, probably not terribly believable, his mind full of shining scales and the gleam of golden eyes he had barely seen in the ink-cloud of dark hair before crashing into Dan.

Distracted by the remembered sight, Sakumo slowed just enough that Dan caught up to him with a thump, tumbling them together through the water. He laughed as he thrashed, catching Dan around the ribs with both arms to steady his friend.

As they slowed, only twisting slightly in the current, Dan let himself rest against Sakumo’s underbelly. “Going to tell me?” he asked, poking Sakumo’s shoulder, and he tipped his head back, laughing.

Notes:

Sakumo is a Pacific spiny dogfish (a shark with a venomous spine along the leading edge of each dorsal fin); Dan has the 'traditional' pretty mermaid tail; Orochimaru is some kind of sea snake.

Haven't decided, let alone written, yet, but this one may have a followup. . . For obvious reasons.

Update: everyone very much wanted more mer AU, so there is now more, and likely more to follow, related and not. ^.^

next in arc

Chapter 359: Coil and Challenge (smitten shark)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo bared his teeth, lunging at Dan and slamming bodily into him, sending them both tumbling over towards the tall stand of coral at the edge of the training field. Dan. . .

Dan didn’t flare his fins and shift to stop them as he normally would, and as Sakumo had allowed for; he thrashed to try and do so himself, but he’d angled for speed at-

Oof!

“Hello there, sharky.”

Sakumo slashed his tail and slammed into the pair of long tentacles wrapped around him, one club resting high on his hip.

“Hello Jiraiya.” Dan said, half-wheezing, from beneath him.

. . .Tsunade. She must have come along with her teammate and her sudden appearance the source of Dan’s distraction. Sakumo shot him a look. Not that he noticed.

“Is this how you usually train?”

Sakumo stiffened at the low, sharp comment, twisting and- Oh. Oh. He swallowed, gills flapping and tail twitching.

“Hey, watch the spines, sharky.” Jiraiya squeezed a little tighter. Sakumo barely noticed, eyes wide as the gleaming, sinuous body of the striking snake he had seen a few days ago leaned over him and Dan, long, dark hair waving in the current as it drifted almost between their faces.

“Let go!” Sakumo snapped, slamming his elbow into Jiraiya’s body just above the red-and-cream patterning of his tail. Jiraiya made a huffy wounded noise that was more insult than anything and dropped his tentacles, all eight suckered arms splaying wider as he moved back, tail shifting.

“That isn’t how you usually train . . . something distract you?” Jiraiya taunted, grinning.

Sakumo swished his tail, righting himself. A glance showed him Dan was drifting lower to the seafloor, his pale purple-blue tail shimmering with the twist of his body and his fins curling inwards as he drifted towards the nudibranch swimming lazily below, her bright turquoise and purple nubs waving as she moved. Dan when he was truly attracted, Sakumo thought wryly; not flirtatious but shy.

“You seem to have lost your sparring partner.” the snake said. Orochimaru, Jiraiya and Tsunade’s teammate, he must be.

“So it seems.” Sakumo said, uncertain where he found the steadiness in his tone.

I’m not sparring with him! I’ve already been abused!” Jiraiya protested, gesturing dramatically, as though Sakumo had done him any harm. “Orochi, why don’t you play with him?”

“I might . . . enjoy that.” Orochimaru said, tail looping and upper body flexing. He smirked and electric energy fluttered through Sakumo’s body. His sensitive lateral lines afire with energy as he focused on them, he could feel the rhythms of Orochimaru’s heart, his muscles.

Sakumo resettled himself, dorsal fins tensing. He grinned, baring his teeth. “So might I.” he said, tail swishing.

Golden eyes glinted and Orochimaru wound away in a swift spiral, the tip of his tail flicking and curling upwards, beckoning.

Sakumo sped after him, taking the invitation for what it was and startled into a laugh as Orochimaru’s first counter was almost playful.

Notes:

Sakumo is, of course, a shark based on the Pacific spiny dogfish, and Dan has a 'traditional' pretty mer tail. Orochimaru is a sea snake.

Jiraiya is a squid, and Tsunade is a nudibranch, both of unspecified species.

next in arc

Chapter 360: Waiting and Worth (smitten shark)

Chapter Text

Sakumo darted through wildly branching coral, just barely keeping his fins from scraping as he sped past. He burst through into the open water on the other side, practically soaring.

“Keeping me waiting?” Orochimaru teased, glancing through the lazy spiral of his own tail, under one coil arching high.

Sakumo reconsidered his intent and didn’t slow or redirect his progress as he approached.

Orochimaru startled, coils looping further out as his eyes widened.

Twisting and angling his tail got him through Orochimaru’s coils with hardly a brush against his scales, and then he slammed into Orochimaru’s upper body, barely gentling the impact with his hands on Orochimaru’s sides. His momentum carried them through the water together, Orochimaru’s light thrash making them spin as his long tail twisted.

“I’d never wish to do that.” Sakumo said, his face close to Orochimaru’s, dark silky hair brushing his temple and cheek. “But thank you for waiting all the same.” he added, fingers sliding over Orochimaru’s side towards his tail.

Then he slipped away, only to be snagged by an elegant hand curling around one of his pectoral fins.

Sakumo paused, looking back, and Orochimaru’s tail looped around him again, winding close. Sakumo shivered in the . . . embrace, letting himself relax, settling into it, and Orochimaru smiled, free hand trailing up Sakumo’s upper body, almost perfectly following his lateral line on the left side.

A tremor ran through Sakumo, his gills fluttering. Orochimaru tilted their heads close, coils sliding along Sakumo’s body. “I suppose I don’t mind waiting just a little,” he said with a slow smirk, “just for you. I do so,” he paused, “enjoy our time together.” His golden eyes gleamed and his fangs showed in a wicked smile.

Sakumo’s own eyes widened, and then he grinned back. “I promise to make it . . . worth your while, then.” he countered, and twisted away with a fluid flick of his tail. But not too quick.

Chapter 361: Billowing Howls

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru crossed to the window with his tea cradled between his hands, warming his achingly chilled fingers. He’d heard the back door open and close.

Sakumo stood on the engawa, ruff fluffed out against the cold wind, thick winter coat making him even fluffier. He bowed his head and Kakashi bounded across to him, paws sure on the slick boards. Orochimaru smiled as he watched Kakashi mimic Sakumo’s careful, steady stance at the edge of the engawa.

Sakumo snuffled at him affectionately, tongue peeking out for a moment to swipe across one of his ears. Then Sakumo tilted his head up, voicing a croon that rose into a soft howl. Kakashi took a moment longer, watching him, then echoed it, little muzzle tipped up at an even higher angle than his father’s.

Both of them breathed puffy clouds, the heat of their breath meeting the winter cold, billowing as their howls drew out longer.

Orochimaru laughed, shifting and leaning against the wall beside the window - the wood was a little cool, but not too bad; the walls were thick - and sipping his tea as he watched over his mate and their hatchlingcub. More wolfling than anything at the moment as he ran out of breath for howling and leapt off the engawa into the snow.

Sakumo cut his own howl short and followed after, the clouds his breath made dissipating with the movement, a spray of snow thrown up by his paws as he landed.

Notes:

This was inspired by a GIF! This one, specifically.

Chapter 362: Struggling

Chapter Text

“What are you doing, Dad?” Kakashi asked, stretching up, his nose twitching a little as he breathed.

Sakumo switched the spoon to his off hand and reached down to pat his cub’s fluffy hair.

“Dad?”

“Making okayu.” Sakumo said, ruffling Kakashi’s hair. “Mama isn’t feeling well, and I hope it will be a little easier for him to eat.”

Kakashi nodded, frowning a little. Sakumo patted him. He’d been fretting over Orochimaru as well. “Could you go get a few fresh eggs for me?” he asked, smiling slightly. “I bet Mama would like fresh eggs in it.”

“Yes, Dad!” Kakashi said, brightening with the offer of something he could do for his mother.

Sakumo settled the okayu to cook and went to check on his mate, curled in their futon. Orochimaru’s face was drawn and his eyes a little dull and hazy. It was . . . uncomfortable. Sakumo’s mouth twisted.

“How are you feeling, lovely?” Sakumo asked gently, brushing his knuckles over Orochimaru’s cheek.

“I’m all right.” Orochimaru said, then groaned as he shifted.

Sakumo’s eyes dropped to where Orochimaru was pressing firmly at the swell of his stomach with one hand. “Perhaps. . . Perhaps we shouldn’t have. . .”

“Hush.” Orochimaru said, lips twitching towards a small smile. “All will be well.”

Sakumo shifted a little, fidgety, but nodded. He hoped so. Orochimaru had . . . struggled far more in this pregnancy than even at the hardest times when he was carrying Kakashi, though then it had all been new and somewhat worrying for that. They hadn’t anticipated a second cub would wear so much harder on him, and as delighted as Sakumo was to be having another cub with his beloved mate, he wished it were less strain on Orochimaru.

“The little ones?” Orochimaru asked, sagging into Sakumo’s steadying hands.

“Kakashi is out fetching eggs for you, and Tenzou is asleep in the main room. He was helping sort flowers from your poison garden. For when you feel better.” Sakumo supplied, and Orochimaru smiled fondly.

Chapter 363: Golden

Chapter Text

Sakumo’s breath caught as he whirled to see a glint of colour that was- He paused. It was shining from a sword-hilt. Unusual. But not his soulmate.

“What’s got you twitching?” Jiraiya asked, shouldering him on one side and nearly sending him sideways into Dan on the other as he turned.

“I just saw. . .” Sakumo shook his head, glancing sideways at Dan. He had recently met his soulmate and while they were still courting - and Tsunade had been by turns obviously charmed by Dan and irritated at the idea of soulmates - he was well and truly smitten. Sakumo was delighted for his friend, and . . . tried to hide his own wistful longing when Dan spoke of his newly-found soulmate. “It doesn’t matter. It wasn’t. . .” He gestured.

“Wrong pair of eyes?” Jiraiya asked, not exactly unsympathetic but a bit dubious.

“Not eyes.” Sakumo sighed, rubbing a hand through his hair. “It’s never eyes. Not once.”

“. . .don’t you see a colour?” Jiraiya asked, frowning. Dan scoffed and leaned comfortingly against him. Sakumo smiled at his friends, then shook his head.

“I do. But it’s never once been in someone’s eyes, even the wrong someone.” Sakumo said softly. “Hell, even among my own clan. . . Our wolves have golden eyes sometimes, but those of us on two feet?”

“Golden?” Jiraiya repeated, and Sakumo shrugged.

“They’re . . . out there somewhere. I’ll find them eventually.” Sakumo said, and he believed that - though it was not always true, especially for ninja - but he wished. . .

“Oi! It’s hime and Orochi!” Jiraiya said, evidently distracted, and Dan brightened, looking around. Sakumo let himself be dragged along, though he considered demurring and letting them go - he barely knew Tsunade, and had never seen Orochimaru save across a shared battlefield, or a glimpse on Konoha’s streets. He knew nothing more than what Jiraiya had spoken of, and enough to recognise the slender, powerful figure, graceful and dangerous.

“Hello, darling.” Dan said, sounding soppily smitten as he took Tsunade’s hand. She let him have it with a soft smile of her own, and Sakumo grinned, watching them.

“Oi.” Jiraiya said again just as a silky thrum of a voice caught Sakumo’s ears. “Wolf. C’mere.”

“What, Jiraiya?” Sakumo asked, stepping away. He’d assume it was a ploy to give Dan and Tsunade a moment of almost-privacy, but that type of thoughtfulness was . . . not likely to occur to Jiraiya.

“Orochi, you’ve not met Hatake Sakumo, have you?” Jiraiya asked, and Sakumo blinked.

“Not yet.” Orochimaru said, tilting his head and turning towards Sakumo. “Though no one could miss hearing of the White Fang.”

Jiraiya continued regardless, but Sakumo had no idea what he was saying despite his booming tones, eyes wide. He’d had a moment to take in a pale face with dark stripes - he’d barely seen that much from a distance before - and then-

And then.

“Oh. Lovely.” Sakumo said, voice thick, as golden eyes locked with his own and colour flooded his world in a dizzying rush. He couldn’t have torn his gaze away from those eyes regardless, and hardly cared for the new colours pressing in on him save the new rich purple streaked over his soulmate’s face. “Incredible.”

“Well.” Orochimaru said, his eyes widening a little. “Hello there, wolf.” he said, sharp lips curving a little.

Sakumo reached out and Orochimaru matched him, clasping hands.

“How . . . very well met.” Orochimaru said, eyes lowering for a moment, then returning to meet his own. “I’ve been waiting, wolf.”

“I’ve been looking.” Sakumo said softly. “Oh. I’m- I’m sorry I kept you waiting.”

Orochimaru laughed, warm and smoky, and Sakumo’s stomach turned over, fluttery and yearning. “I’ll forgive you.” The warmth from his laughter lingered in his voice, soft and inviting. “Just this once. Don’t do it again.” he teased gently, his smile showing a flash of fangs.

“Never.” Sakumo promised, and dipped his head, bringing their still clasped hands up and kissing Orochimaru’s hand.

Chapter 364: Lightning Snarl

Chapter Text

Orochimaru grimaced as he was forced into moving back by another wild swing, katon racing along the edge of the enemy nin’s blade. He blew a fuuton to turn it back on its wielder, smirking as the nin shrieked, twisting away from his own sword and dropping it - a moment too late, as the bandages wrapped around his hand and arm caught fire.

Orochimaru didn’t linger to be smug, able to hear at least three more of the enemy squad closing in on him - either his teammates had missed them, or they were too pressed-upon themselves to have stopped these from following him. Orochimaru’s hands flickered through seals as he called up another, stronger and sharper fuuton - no sense using something that would put out the fire his enemy was already struggling against - then loosed it, turning the same motion into a fluid dodge away from a pelting arc of thrown kunai.

Orochimaru wove between the enemy nin as they closed in, and then suddenly he . . . wasn’t fighting alone. His hackles prickled and his ears almost ached from the high-pitched-

Orochimaru’s eyes widened as a streak of glowing white slashed through the air, knocking aside a heavy blade halfway through its arc towards his neck. Lightning rushed along the slender blade of a tanto with a flare that stung Orochimaru’s eyes and found its mark on the enemy nin, sending him crashing backwards into several of his fellows.

Orochimaru managed a single glance sideways at his sudden support and found Hatake Sakumo - the White Fang, the Hatake white chakra, the white raiton chakra; of course it could have been no one else, he had simply never seen. . .

And he had never seen Hatake Sakumo like this. A shiver ran down Orochimaru’s spine as he whirled to continue the battle, but the image remained behind his eyes as though burned into his retinas with the brilliant light of the raiton. Hatake was so calm and easygoing in the village, the few times Orochimaru had seen him in Jiraiya or Dan’s company, he had stood out little despite his broad frame and wild silvery hair, Orochimaru being little impressed by amiability or gentle smiles.

Hatake now. . . Finally achieving the space to give it free rein, Orochimaru swung Kusanagi through weaponry and flesh alike. That was no gentle smile, but the twist of a snarl that bared sharp, solid fangs still held a shadow of that same pleased curve, and the crackle of the raiton he called only almost covered the low, rough sound of a snarl that made Orochimaru’s nerves thrill.

The last enemy nin fell and the only movement in the clearing was Orochimaru and Hatake as they swept the area, then turned to each other.

“Orochimaru-san, are you injured?” Hatake said, his blade still sparking, the blood on it blackening and flaking away.

“No.” Orochimaru flicked his hair back and twisted Kusanagi, inspecting the blade unnecessarily. “Hatake-san?” He tilted his head.

Hatake grinned in answer, broad and feral, and rubbed the inside of his wrist over the swathe of blood on his cheek and jaw, which came away with a smear over unmarred skin. He flipped his tanto in one hand and wiped the blood off, then sheathed it behind his shoulders.

Chapter 365: Cradle of Snake

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo smiled as he passed through the main room - his mate was still settled where he had been when Sakumo left to turn his report, curled by the irori with a book - and went to the nursery that was really only used occasionally for Kakashi’s naps during the day.

The cradle was filled with thick green coils, and flashes of scales in a handful of other colours - dusky blue-purple, silvery-bright, white, several more shades of green - as usual, surrounding Kakashi, cosily protective. Sakumo smiled at Nori as he lifted his head, then froze upon reaching the cradle.

“Kakashi? Where is our cub?” Sakumo reached down into the cradle, where there was the usual tangle of snakes but no sign of his cub among them. Nori hissed, but nothing sensible.

What?” Orochimaru demanded from the doorway, at Sakumo’s side a moment later. “Nori!”

“Hatchlingcub is right here.” Nori said, shifting his thick coils. Kakashi did not appear between them.

“There are only snakes!” Sakumo said as a slender silvery snake slithered up over his fingers. “I don’t-”

“Hatchlingcub is snake.” Nori nosed the silvery snake. Their tongue flickered against Sakumo’s wrist and his knees felt wobbly.

“Kakashi?” Sakumo said faintly.

“I would never let the hatchlingcub be lost.” Nori said, in a very injured tone. Sakumo would have apologised or stroked the loyal snake but all of his attention was on the small silver creature winding around his wrists.

“Our Kakashi. . .” Orochimaru said softly, light fingers brushing over shining scales. Kakashi - Kakashi - slithered around his mother’s hands and up his arms towards his body. “Kakashi? Precious?”

“Have kept hatchlingcub safe and warm.” Nori said, resettling his coils. “Am good cubling sitter. . .”

“Of course you are.” Sakumo said vaguely, watching. “Kakashi. Hatake shift, but I didn’t expect. . . He’s so young.” Less than a year old. And he would have expected-

“He’s such a little wolfling.” Orochimaru said with a slight smile, echoing Sakumo’s thoughts, and he tilted his head in acknowledgement that was also a surprise.

“What is he. . .” Sakumo nodded towards them as Kakashi nosed into Orochimaru’s shirt where it crossed a little loosely.

“He’s probably cold- Oh!” Orochimaru stiffened and Sakumo reached for him reflexively, only to still as he brought his hands up hurriedly, steadying the suddenly rather larger bulge in his shirt. “Kakashi!” He twitched. “Oh!”

“Lovely?” Sakumo moved closer, concerned, and Nori shifted his head atop his coils.

Orochimaru shifted his weight and Sakumo slid a hand over his back. “He’s hungry.” he said, lifting one hand and tugging at his shirt, loosening it around Kakashi as Sakumo made out the faint sounds of their cub suckling.

Sakumo leaned into his mate, bowing his head to rest against Orochimaru’s. They looked down at Kakashi, wriggling a little as he nursed, supported in the curve of Orochimaru’s arm. “He’s a snake.” Sakumo said softly. “Like you, lovely.”

Orochimaru swallowed. “He is.” His arms tightened a little around Kakashi. “Oh. My little one.” he crooned, cradling Kakashi against himself and stroking the back of his neck with light fingertips.

Sakumo smiled and nuzzled Orochimaru’s cheek as he stared down at their cub.

Notes:

The usual shifting from me with a bit of a twist this time! Kakashi is his Mama's little one too, after all~ ;)

Chapter 366: Midnight Wolf

Chapter Text

“Summoner. . .”

Orochimaru rolled over, reaching out for Rieko. She pushed her head into his palm, then wound around his wrist. He felt more than heard the snap of one of the traps in the front garden being triggered.

“Wolf.” Rieko said, squeezing his wrist. “. . .I think he’s drunk.” she said disapprovingly.

Orochimaru blinked, rubbing the top of her head with his thumb, then rolled out of his futon and neatened his yukata as he rose. Rieko hissed a protest and wound higher up his arm, under his sleeve.

Orochimaru made his way to the door without a light, opening it just as Sakumo was half caught by another trap and dove out of range - impressive, if he was drunk - nearly slamming his jaw into the edge of the engawa.

“Sakumo?” Orochimaru questioned, and his head flew up.

“Oro!” Sakumo cried, tongue tangling on the rest of his name. He frowned and tried again and Orochimaru smothered an unexpectedly fond laugh and moved to him, crouching.

“Hello, Sakumo.” Orochimaru said gently, reaching out tentatively. Sakumo was flushed and his movements a bit clumsy as he scrambled upwards, pressing his face into Orochimaru’s touch. His heart squeezed and he cleared his throat and ignored the feeling pointedly. “What brings you here?”

“Wanted- Wanted to see you.” Sakumo snuffled and nuzzled against his wrist, breathing in deeply. “Don’t want anyone but you, Oro.” He sounded . . . amazingly content as he buried his nose against Orochimaru’s forearm.

“I. . .” Orochimaru shifted and brushed his fingers through Sakumo’s hair, a little startled by the crooning sound he made under the caress. Settling to sit more comfortably, Orochimaru slid his feet off the engawa onto the step beside Sakumo as Rieko squeezed his arm, and Sakumo sprawled out a little, cuddling into Orochimaru’s lap. He was drunk, but he was . . . adorable.

“Am pestering you?” Sakumo asked, almost unintelligible against Orochimaru’s thigh. “Dan said I’d be pestering. He was taking me home.”

“You’re all right.” Orochimaru said softly, stroking his hair. “Where did Dan go, then?”

“Stop Jiraiya.” Sakumo sighed, eyes closing as he practically rolled into Orochimaru. “Slipped off. Was easy.”

“I have no doubt.” Orochimaru said dryly. “Dan was very thoughtful, but I don’t mind.”

Which was . . . something of a surprise in itself. Orochimaru would have expected to be irritated at the least to be woken by anyone coming to his home, drunk, in the wee hours of the morning. But all he felt was a warm, sweet sort of fondness.

Sakumo whined softly, lips curling and eyes heavy-lidded as he looked up at Orochimaru.

“It is very late, however.” Orochimaru said, and Sakumo blinked, expression going slack for a moment as he appeared to think about that. Then he frowned and mumbled another apology, sliding away and pushing his head into Orochimaru’s touch at once. “Why don’t you come inside, wolf,” he murmured, tugging Sakumo’s hair at his nape, gentle but firm, “wash up a bit,” he smelled like sake and a bit of smoke, “and then. . . Sleep it off.”

“With you?” Sakumo blinked at him, stilling.

“I won’t throw out my wolf when he’s at my doorstep.” Orochimaru said, lips curling, and impulsively kissed Sakumo’s brow.

Sakumo lunged for him and Orochimaru laughed, startled, as he was laid out flat on his back across the engawa with a broad, heavy, affectionate human-shaped wolf pinning him down.

Chapter 367: Watching

Notes:

This marks the first year anniversary of the first SakuOro minific I posted, and I have updated every day since then! \o/

I am a bit O.O and very happy, and also planning to see how long I can keep going, though this minific was written last night and I have no more done, so it may be a bit of a slipshod atttempt. >.> I am glad so many of you seem to enjoy my snekwolf pack stories (whether or not this ship was originally one you liked) thanks for sticking around with me!

Chapter Text

“Really going to sit here all day?” Sakumo looked up, arching his brows. Jiraiya huffed at him, folding his arms, scuffed and dusty wings puffed up a little. “Well?”

Sakumo laughed, smirking just a little as his gaze slid back to the pair moving rapidly around the open space near the centre of the training ground. A bit more open than it had been when they started, with a few new craters.

“I’m allowed.” Sakumo said dryly, shifting and crossing his ankles where his legs were stretched out in front of him as Orochimaru ducked and rolled gracefully out of the path of a small fist. Tsunade sent another crack racing through the earth and Orochimaru leapt to his feet, shimmering purple-black wings flicking halfway out for balance.

Tsunade whirled, a moment too slow, and jerked back as Orochimaru spat Kusanagi out into her path. He dropped the blade to his hand and swung, and Tsunade cursed and kicked out at him, catching him in the hip and sending him flying.

Allowed, maybe, but why?” Jiraiya asked, wiping sweat off his jaw and neck with his sleeve. He fanned his wings a little.

Sakumo growled softly, appreciative. It took him a bit longer to respond properly, eyes following every smooth, swift shift as Orochimaru took the offensive again, Kusanagi seeming light as a feather in his grip. “I suspect,” he said wryly, “you wouldn’t understand.”

Jiraiya grouched a bit more, really only underlining that he would, indeed, not understand.

Sakumo kept watching until the battle ended; Orochimaru offered Tsunade a hand up, and she returned Kusanagi to him. He inspected it, then slipped it between his teeth once more, letting it slide into his throat. Jiraiya made an uncomfortable sound and Sakumo tried not to laugh.

“Imagine seeing you here, wolf.” Tsunade said as they approached, a little abrasive but warm.

“Imagine.” Orochimaru said, his own voice even warmer. He trailed his fingertips over Sakumo’s shoulder. “Like what you see?”

Sakumo clasped his hand and drew it up to kiss his wrist. “Always, mate.” he said fondly, grinning when Orochimaru laughed at him. Orochimaru also swayed a little closer, leaning his hip against Sakumo’s shoulder.

Chapter 368: Preened Puddle

Chapter Text

Much better.” Orochimaru said from the doorway, voice low and relaxed.

Sakumo looked up with a smile which widened as his mate returned it, eyes warm and heavy-lidded. Orochimaru joined him on the futon, all but melting down beside Sakumo, feathers ruffling up.

Sakumo smoothed a hand over the nearer one - still spikily damp - then drew his mate in close, petting as he sighed and stretched out under Sakumo’s caresses. He rubbed gently at the nape of Orochimaru’s neck and he flexed his shoulders, folding his arms along Sakumo’s thigh beneath his head.

He buried his fingers in Orochimaru’s thick feathers, appreciating the feel of them and beginning to preen in slow strokes. Orochimaru drew a deep breath, back arching and wings shivering, then went limp.

Sakumo unfolded one leg, making himself a little more comfortable to lie against. He took his time on his mate’s gorgeous wings, smiling as Orochimaru’s breathing deepened and slowed further, body going entirely lax.

By the time he was finished he suspected Orochimaru was more than half asleep, and the iridescent purples and greens in his wings shone in the low light of their bedroom. Sakumo hummed with pleasure as he smoothed his hands out from soft, sleek wings to smooth scales, trailing down his mate’s back.

Orochimaru groaned, stretching, back arching. His muscles flexed under Sakumo’s hands, and he squeezed idly as he reached Orochimaru’s hips, prompting a soft hiss.

Orochimaru turned over, a slow movement that all but poured him out of Sakumo’s lap and onto his back on the futon, hair puddling around his shoulders. He lifted a hand and beckoned, fingers curling into Sakumo’s hair where it fell across his shoulder.

Sakumo went to him obligingly, grinning, and Orochimaru hummed something that might have been a laugh if he’d been more awake, pressing into Sakumo with languid warmth as he sank down alongside his mate.

Chapter 369: Born Toothy

Notes:

I feel like the longer I do these the more ridiculous the titles can get. >.>

Chapter Text

Kakashi yipped and caught at his mother’s hands, giggling happily as Orochimaru let himself be caught. Kakashi’s sharp teeth sank into the raw strip of meat Orochimaru held for him, shredding at it and growling in what was quite a fierce tone for such a small cub.

“Did you want a bite?” Orochimaru asked dryly, and Sakumo glanced away, startled, then hid a laugh as he saw Minato’s face screwing up a bit. He inched closer, though, eyeing the plate a little dubiously.

“No.” Sakumo said, sliding a hand over his shoulder. He looked up.

“I’m not being rude!” Minato said hurriedly. “I’d-”

“Be sick, little one.” Orochimaru said gently. “Kakashi has his father’s constitution-”

“Or yours.” Sakumo added, and Orochimaru inclined his head.

“His system can handle it, like ours,” Orochimaru said, tugging his wrist against Kakashi’s grip and laughing softly when he growled a little louder and hung on tight, “you . . . should wait for dinner to be cooked.”

Minato nodded, relaxing a little and leaning forwards. Kakashi tugged at the scrap left in Orochimaru’s fingers. “Has he always- I mean, was he born,” Minato gestured, “able to do that?”

Sakumo squeezed his shoulder and moved back to the counter to pick up where he’d left off preparing dinner.

“Born able to? No.” Orochimaru hummed, warm and fond. “It didn’t take long, though. And you know he was born with these, weren’t you my little darling?”

Kakashi yipped, bright and happy, and Sakumo grinned as he looked around at his family again. Minato leaning in close, happy and curious, Kakashi squirming under his mother’s tickling fingers, showing off his tiny fangs, Orochimaru relaxed and content. Sakumo hummed to himself as he picked up the tongs again.

Chapter 370: Mischiefs

Chapter Text

“Where are- Oh!”

Sakumo opened his eyes sleepily, flicking an ear and looking up at Dad. He crossed his arms and returned the look expectantly.

Sakumo yawned and snuggled a little deeper into the hollow he had settled in, and Orochimaru sighed sleepily, turning more onto his side. He cuddled into Sakumo’s fur and he crooned, tilting his head to nuzzle his snake.

“What have you two been up to?” Dad asked, clearly amused, and crouched nearby, flicking aside a picked-clean bone and sending several slightly blood-sticky feathers flying up. “Am I going to have to apologise to Akimichi-san again for your raiding his chicken coop?”

Sakumo grinned. They hadn’t left sign and they hadn’t been caught, so. . . He wagged his tail, and Dad laughed, reaching out and ruffling his fur behind his ears.

“Little mischiefs.” Dad said as Orochimaru startled awake. “Hello, Oro-kun.” He brushed a hand over Orochimaru’s cheek as well. “Your mother is working a little late at the lab tonight and asked if you would like to stay with us for the night.”

Orochimaru relaxed, shifting against Sakumo and yawning, his pretty senbon-like fangs flicking forwards briefly. He nodded, and Dad grinned. “All right. I’ll go see if anyone is out in the village screaming about missing chickens and eggs.” He laughed. “We’ll have dinner late tonight, since I doubt you’ll be hungry for a while yet.”

Sakumo grinned and Orochimaru giggled, curling up and resting his cheek against Sakumo’s neck.

Chapter 371: Riding

Chapter Text

Sakumo’s brows rose as he heard a piercing shriek. For all its pitch and intensity, it didn’t seem to be pain or distress, however, and his mate was watching over the cubs, so he didn’t rush away from the sink.

. . .he didn’t linger to finish all the dishes, though. Sakumo left the pot and skillet from breakfast beside the sink, dried his hands, and went in search of his mate. The shrieking from outside had been joined occasionally by happy yips and crooning yowls in the meantime, and while it made him smile, Sakumo wondered what the cubs were up to.

“What are they doing?” Sakumo asked, moving up behind his mate at the window. Leaning into his touch, Orochimaru laughed a little and gestured out through the glass. Sakumo dropped a kiss on his mate’s jaw, then looked outside.

He stilled, blinking. Iruka was perched on Kakashi’s back, giggling and positively screaming with joy, bouncing a bit, his hands buried in Kakashi’s thick ruff. Kakashi’s tailed wagged and a grin spread across his muzzle as he pranced around the back garden, Iruka carefully balanced on his back.

Sakumo smiled and dipped his head to nuzzle against the crook of his mate’s neck, rumbling affectionately. Orochimaru sighed, slender fingers winding around his wrist and tugging him in close. Sakumo pressed against him, nipping his throat gently and watching the cubs play.

Iruka toppled forwards and Sakumo twitched, tensing, but Kakashi ducked a little and Iruka only fell to lie across his shoulders, still balanced comfortably. Sakumo relaxed and grinned a little sheepishly as his mate laughed at him.

Iruka hugged himself close to Kakashi’s neck and Kakashi yipped playfully as he bounded back up out of his crouch and kept moving.

Chapter 372: Slinky Coils and Fond Farewells

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo jerked a little as a broad, tough coil looped around his tail and squeezed. Dan’s eyes widened, his fins flaring as he fought to back off before he could run into Sakumo - into them - and Sakumo laughed.

He leaned into the strong body behind him, and smiled as he offered a clicking trill of welcome. Orochimaru’s shining tail shifted around his, squeezing again and almost stroking, his arms winding around Sakumo’s waist as well. “Hello, mate.” he murmured, hands stroking over Sakumo’s belly, avoiding the gills over his hips.

“Hello, my lovely.” Sakumo returned, turning a little in his mate’s embrace and nuzzling his jaw. “What brings you here?”

Orochimaru kissed his jaw. “We’re being called out.” he said, and Sakumo’s heart sank. “Effective immediately. I wanted you to know, and. . .”

“Farewell.” Sakumo filled in, and Orochimaru nodded. Sakumo twisted in his mate’s slinky, strong clasp and drew him into an embrace in turn, kissing him hard. Orochimaru’s embrace tightened, the tip of his long tail tickling Sakumo’s caudal fin. “I love you. Be safe and come home to us, lovely.”

Orochimaru returned the kiss with desperate affection. “I always do.” he promised, eyes fierce, and grinned, showing the tips of his fangs. “Be safe, my heart.” he ordered, and Sakumo sighed and promised, catching him into another lingering kiss. Orochimaru melted into it willingly, soft in Sakumo’s arms.

“I have to go.” Orochimaru said softly as he eventually broke the kiss. He smoothed his hands over Sakumo’s sides again, teasing his lateral lines gently as they pulled away from one another, Orochimaru’s tail uncoiling slowly.

Sakumo nodded, caressing his mate’s cheek lightly, granted a last smile before Orochimaru turned and was gone in a flash of sinuous tail. Sakumo sighed, watching after him for a while.

“I’m sorry.” Dan said behind him, and Sakumo shook his head, turning back to his friend.

“Your mate’s off, too, most likely.” Sakumo said, shrugging.

Dan made an unhappy sound and nodded. He tilted his head. “Your pup?” he asked.

“Oro will have gone to him first, if there was any doubt on time.” Sakumo sighed. Kakashi was used to this - with both of them - but neither would he - or Sakumo, for that matter - be exactly happy about it.

Notes:

This one has a loose followup tomorrow.

Chapter 373: Family Knot

Notes:

. . .and typing that title didn't feel weird at all. *coughs*

A could-be-read-as followup to yesterday's farewells~

Chapter Text

“Mama!”

Sakumo twitched, head coming up. He twisted towards his pup and saw a litter of shells raining back down where Kakashi had been digging around through the base of one outcropping of coral.

Kakashi was already speeding off towards-

Sakumo’s heart fluttered and he swished his tail, rushing on himself just as Kakashi reached his mother, immediately swept into an affectionate coil, all but hidden from view inside the winding grip of shining white and purple scales.

“Lovely!” Sakumo brushed a hand over his mate’s tail as he approached, and Orochimaru lifted his head, hair billowing. He was smiling, eyes bright. Sakumo kissed him, winding an arm behind Orochimaru’s shoulders and pressing his body down to his tail against the knot of his mate’s body.

Kakashi was making happy little clicking noises from safe inside his mother’s embrace, and Sakumo laughed against Orochimaru’s mouth. Orochimaru made a soft sound of fondness himself and freed one arm to loop around Sakumo in return, nipping at his mouth.

Then he shifted and his coils swallowed Sakumo up as well, winding Sakumo and Kakashi close to himself and squeezing affectionately. Kakashi giggled and squirmed between them, wriggling to get his arms around Orochimaru’s waist and hugging tight.

“Welcome home, lovely.” Sakumo said, nuzzling his mate’s cheek and kissing his jaw.

“I have missed you, my darlings.” Orochimaru returned, meeting Sakumo’s gaze, then looking down to their pup. He bent and kissed the top of Kakashi’s head, and Kakashi clicked again, surging up to kiss his mother’s cheek.

Chapter 374: Distracting Kisses

Chapter Text

Orochimaru leaned a little closer to the crevice in the rocky outcropping, angling his head and peering inside - trying to be sure he didn’t puncture the little creature he was taking a scraping from with the end of his metal rod. He was vaguely aware of the currents shifting around him, and twisted his tail to stabilise himself, turning a part of his senses to who - or what - might be swimming nearby.

Then hands brushed his tail and Orochimaru jerked, twisting, letting loose of the rod and-

“Sakumo.” Orochimaru scolded, lips tugging into a smile. Sakumo grinned, not a flicker of regret on his face, hands sliding up Orochimaru’s body, over his ribs and chest. Orochimaru wound his tail around his mate’s body in turn and squeezed lazily.

Sakumo shivered, fingers flexing, and his tail twitched as he pressed a kiss to Orochimaru’s cheek. He squeezed again, humming, and Sakumo nuzzled his cheekbone and trailed more kisses over his face, playful and affectionate in equal measure.

Orochimaru laughed and let himself drift away from the rocks in his mate’s grasp, tail coiled cosily around Sakumo as he turned his face up for more kisses. Sakumo’s shaggy hair billowed around them and tickled his cheek and neck, moon-bright where it mingled with the ink-dark cloud of his own.

Chapter 375: Net (trawlers)

Notes:

This one is trulywicked's fault - we were talking about poor sweet little innocent bb!snek being (almost) captured by humans, once, and, well, I thought. . . >.>

(Also, lowkey, I've been doing more mer AU stuff because of her daily MerMay ficlets, which are awesome.)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Whoa! Looks like we got a shark in there!”

Kakashi screeched, tail thrashing, as he was hauled out of the water, trapped in a net with a slew of fish, all flapping in a panicky surge.

“Little one; think it’s a pup?”

Kakashi clawed at the net, but it was just out of his reach and as he was brought up into the air he had trouble moving, caught amongst the fish and heavy. Kakashi screamed again, panicking as the heavy net was swung over the deck of a ship, away from the water.

Suddenly it gave way and Kakashi fell, in a swooping wave of fish and splashes, to land with a thump on the deck. “Holy shit! Look at this!”

Kakashi looked up and cried out as his eyes lit on the hooked spear the human was holding.

“Hey! C’mere and look at this!” the human repeated as Kakashi flopped and thrashed, trying to brace himself with his hands only to slip on the heap of fish.

“Holy hell!”

Kakashi cringed away, and suddenly there was a flash of shining white blocking his view of the humans. Mama’s coils lashed powerfully, sweeping them off their feet - the hooked spear was dropped and bounced off his scales - and Kakashi cried, reaching out as Mama reached for him. In a moment he was up in Mama’s arms, held tight, and then Mama picked up the spear with his other hand - there was a thick drop of blood welling up between some of his violet scales where it had hit him, and Kakashi trilled uneasily, pressing closer - and swept it across the deck, hard.

The human who had been trying to climb to his feet was down again in a wash of blood, and Mama dropped the spear and dove over the side of the deck. A small shower of fish came with them as they fell, and then they were splashing into the sea once more, and Kakashi gasped, gills flapping wide; he could breathe above, in the air, but not very well. He couldn’t quite bring himself to let go of Mama, either.

“Pup!” Dad cried, all but slamming into them. “Lovely! You- Are you all right?”

Mama kissed Dad soothingly and pushed Kakashi towards him, and Kakashi whimpered. Mama stroked his hair. “I’ll be right back. I need to see to it up there, make sure they won’t be back. Make sure no one knows.”

Dad cuddled Kakashi tight, and Mama pulled away, gently freeing his hair from Kakashi’s fingers. Then he was gone, up in the air again, and Kakashi keened, clinging to Dad instead.

“It’s all right, pup.” Dad soothed, rubbing his back and gently pressing at the base of his higher dorsal fin. “Are you hurt?” He shook his head. “Mama will be back. You know Mama,” he smiled, then kissed the top of Kakashi’s head, “he’ll be fine.”

Chapter 376: Safe and Secret (trawlers)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Kakashi wriggled in Dad’s hold, looking nervously back at the ship behind him. His tail twitched. Mama had been gone an awfully long-

A spill of fish hit the water and among them was the long coil of Mama’s banded tail, and Kakashi whimpered in relief. A moment later Mama’s coils were wrapped around him and Dad, and Mama’s fingers were running through his hair soothingly.

“All dealt with, lovely?” Dad asked in a low voice, just as the scent of blood in the water reached Kakashi’s nose, and Mama’s coils tightened.

“All fine.” Mama said, nuzzling Dad’s face. “The ship can drift, they’ll be found by their kind eventually . . . and there’s nothing to worry about left on board.”

Dad nodded, and Kakashi clicked needily.

“It’s all right, precious.” Mama soothed, coils shifting around them. He stroked Kakashi’s hair and bowed his head to rest against Dad’s again. “You’re safe, and they’re gone.”

“Didn’t mean to get caught. . .” Kakashi said in a tiny voice.

“I know.” Mama said gently.

“There shouldn’t have been trawlers here today.” Dad said, voice hard. “It wasn’t your fault, pup.”

Kakashi wriggled, clicking uncertainly, and his parents hugged him tighter between them.

Chapter 377: Safety (out of the) Net (trawlers)

Notes:

previous in arc

This could perhaps have fit more naturally in Snuggly Sensei, but it is part of the same arc as the past two here, so here it is.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Kakashi cut out of the current he’d just slipped into, twisting back the way he’d come, listening closely. There-

A swish of his tail and he was speeding back. That was screaming, something small, perhaps a pup if not one of the smaller mers. He’d investigated the ship he’d seen and dismissed it as an irritation but not a problem, but if there was a small one there. . .

“No! No no no!”

Kakashi circled the net being hauled up. There was a flash of bright orange there that was not part of the school of fish.

Naruto!

Kakashi glanced around for the source of the cry, but he was already heading deeper. He pulled the bone blade from its sheath along his tail and launched himself up through the water and out over the surface. His momentum carried him easily up to the net and over, and he snagged his fingers in the net, hauling himself around to it and slashing at the taut pull where it hooked into the pulley above.

He glanced down as he heard another shriek and saw that the trapped mer was a bright little clownfish guppy with a riot of sun-bright hair. He flopped and pushed back against the side of the net as he met Kakashi’s eyes, and Kakashi looked around at the ship, then swiped at the net again, severing all but three of the cords and sending himself tumbling back into the water along with all the fish and the guppy.

“Naruto!”

“Iruka!” the guppy shrieked, tail thrashing unevenly as he swam. Kakashi winced.

“Did they damage your tail?” Kakashi asked, glancing back at the ship above. “When they caught you?”

Suddenly there was a splotchy black-and-blue plane before him, and Kakashi pulled back a bit to see it was a dolphin mer protectively winding his arms around the guppy. He made a soft burbling noise of pain, tail flopping weakly, and clung to the dolphin’s shoulders. Kakashi moved back easily, keeping his blade low.

“My mother can help, if you’re hurt.” Kakashi said, keeping his voice gentle. He tilted his head, glancing at rich brown eyes, then back down to the guppy’s face. “They caught me, once, when I was little. My mother had to come and get me off the ship.”

The bright blue eyes widened, fins fluttering.

“We keep them out of this bay, mostly.” Kakashi said, and frowned. “I didn’t think this one would be trouble. I’m sorry.”

“We shouldn’t even be here.” the dolphin said softly. “Hush, Naruto. Not if it belongs- We were passing through. We’ll be out again soon. Don’t worry.”

Kakashi cocked his head. “It’s an open bay. We only watch over it. You won’t go far,” he added, gesturing gently, “not with your tail like that.”

“I can do it!” Naruto said boldly, and pulled away only to flinch, tail curling up. There was an angle pressing outwards from under the skin, and Kakashi cringed.

“My mother can help.” Kakashi said again, holding himself back from reaching for the guppy to still him. “Even if you don’t want to rest here,” Kakashi met the dolphin’s eyes meaningfully; even if the guppy didn’t realise surely he did, how dangerous that kind of injury could be, “let us help.”

“Iruka?” Naruto asked tentatively.

“Sharks, helping. That’s new.” Iruka said stiffly. “We. . .” He looked down at Naruto, his tail twitching. “Thank you.” He looked unhappy.

“Oh. My mother isn’t a shark.” Kakashi grinned. “It’ll be all right.” He paused. “Did they see you?” he asked gently, and Naruto shook his head hard. “Head that way,” Kakashi pointed, “I’ll catch up with you and show you the way.”

“What are you doing, then?” Iruka asked suspiciously.

Kakashi’s grin sharpened. “I told you. We watch over this bay. The humans need to leave . . . and they will.” He twisted the blade in his hand as Iruka stared at him, holding Naruto close.

Notes:

. . .should I add more, perhaps Kakashi actually bringing Naruto and Iruka to his parents for help, and their spending time here to let poor mini Naruto heal up before they travel on? (Or don't. . . >.>)

 

next in arc

Chapter 378: Serpentine Shelter (trawlers)

Notes:

previous in arc

 

As encouraged by . . . pretty much all of y'all who commented ^.^ the arc continues!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Iruka cuddled Naruto a little closer against his chest, one arm held down across his tail to keep from jarring it; that crooked angle pressing outwards under the skin. . . Iruka clicked worriedly and rubbed a hand over the top of Naruto’s tail, low at his back.

Naruto chirred and tucked his head against Iruka’s neck. He was always clingy, but Iruka knew he must be in pain from the lack of squirming and how quiet he was being.

Iruka quashed down his worry, looking ahead at the smooth swish of the spotted shark’s tail leading them . . . who knew where.

He’d saved Naruto, Iruka reminded himself. The shark had saved Naruto from a trawler’s net before Iruka could even think how to reach him, and he’d been insistent but only in words. Iruka bit his lip, rising for a proper breath before diving deep, following the shark into a hidden, rocky passageway.

It was dark and not quite comfortable, but Iruka had already made the choice to follow, and he did, heart beating a little too quickly to be comfortable and body tense with nerves. It was a surprise when they all but spilled through into a well-lit, open expanse of water, ringed, it seemed, by spiky rocks. Safe.

“This way.” Kakashi said after a moment, beckoning them again, and Iruka followed, looking around. Naruto still had his head tucked down, barely watching where they went, and Iruka was uneasy with worry for him.

“Mama!” Kakashi called, and Iruka looked for the mer he was addressing, remembering ‘not a shark’.

Iruka froze, tail twitching, as a gleaming slide of white and violet scales all but poured into the water from an outcropping that rose above the surface. The largest serpent mer he had ever seen untwisted huge coils and turned to look at them, extending a hand to Kakashi as he neared. “Welcome. What have we here?”

Naruto looked up, little fins fluttering, and Iruka tried to think if he could get back through the passageway in time. Probably not from here, not with Naruto in his arms.

“The guppy was caught in a trawler’s net.” Kakashi said as a strong coil wound around him. “His tail’s hurt, and they don’t have anywhere to go.”

“Poor little one.”

Iruka stared as the snake smiled.

“I am Orochimaru. This is my family’s home, and you are welcome to stay until your little one can swim once more.” the serpent said, and moved nearer, hands out towards Naruto. Iruka held him protectively closer. “Now let me see how I can help. . .”

Notes:

Perhaps Sakumo will reappear in tomorrow's. . .

next in arc

Chapter 379: Sheltered Cove (trawlers)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo released the net bag he held to float along in the current, stretching his tail after the tight squeeze of the passageway into their home he had chosen to use. He headed towards the far side of the cove, leaving the bag to go where it would for now.

He paused as he spotted his mate, and among his gleaming bright coils something was visible that was a softer white, and . . . orange?

“Hello there.” Sakumo said, circling so he would be in easy sight before he got close and watching the broad-bodied dolphin near his mate twitch and tense.

“Hello, Sakumo.” Orochimaru greeted, his coils sliding away from a guppy with a bright clownfish tail and an uneasy, but bright smile. “Be careful with your tail for now,” he warned, “feel better?”

“Yes! Iruka! Iruka he fixed it!” the guppy cried, lunging for the dolphin, tail flexing jerkily, and he startled and lunged in return, catching him at the waist and stilling him.

“Easy!” Iruka warned, patting him at the top of his tail. “I- Thank you, Orochimaru.” He bowed his head, and Orochimaru flicked his tail in an almost lazy coil.

“You are most welcome, of course.” Orochimaru said, as Sakumo would have expected. He smoothed a hand up over his mate’s coils as he came close, kissing Orochimaru’s cheek. “Will you stay here for a time, to rest?”

Orochimaru’s voice was not pointed but there was a good deal of weight to it. The guppy needed time to rest and to heal, Sakumo guessed.

“Ah. . .” Iruka fidgeted, cradling the guppy close.

“Perhaps you might stay for tonight, at least,” Kakashi suggested lazily, eyes sharp with focus beneath heavy lids, “and decide tomorrow?”

Chapter 380: Staying . . . with Sharks? (trawlers)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

A half-stifled shriek made Iruka twitch, tail sending up a heavy splash as he twisted, only to see Naruto all but bouncing, wriggling happily where he was caught in- supported by great serpentine coils.

Orochimaru smiled, stroking Naruto’s hair, and steadied him a little more.

Iruka took a deep breath, then letting it out slowly, making himself relax.

“All right?”

Iruka turned his head and found Kakashi nearby, leaning on the rock Iruka was lounging on, arms folded just above the waterline and long tail stretched out behind him. “Ah- Yes, of course.” Iruka said, shaking his head a little, and looked back at Naruto and Orochimaru. “Why does he do that?”

“He’s your guppy,” Kakashi drawled, “I’ve no idea. Very excitable little dear, isn’t he?”

“Not- Not Naruto.” Iruka couldn’t quite stifle a laugh, though, and he felt a fond flare of warmth. Naruto was his guppy, whatever the odd route they had taken to get there, and it was . . . nice, to hear it. “Your, ah, mother.” he clarified.

“Mama is affectionate,” Kakashi stretched, tail swishing lazily, “and with his coils like that it’s more difficult for Naruto to stress his tail before it’s healed up.” he added quietly.

Iruka’s eyes widened. He hadn’t . . . considered that. “Ah.” He looked again, eyeing how the thick serpentine coils wound around Naruto’s small body. Iruka saw Sakumo approaching on their other side, silent and swift, his dorsal fins peeking through the water.

Naruto didn’t cringe, but Iruka couldn’t help but tense.

“Would you answer, if I asked you what happened to you?”

Iruka startled, twisting to look at Kakashi. His back twinged where Mizuki had- “What happened to me?”

“To both of you.” Kakashi said, tail swishing again. “Mama alarmed you - don’t protest, but Mama alarms most people; I should have warned you - but you were most . . . surprised, at me, and Dad.” He tilted his head, sharp eyes curious.

Iruka licked his lips, remembering a sharp-toothed, smug smile and agonising pain; remembering a pod - a pack - of grey-white bodies mobbing Naruto; remembering. . .

He jerked, breath catching, as a gentle touch settled on his back. He realised as he fought to steady his breathing that it had gone ragged, and met Kakashi’s eyes again, now shaded with concern. “Are you all right?” Kakashi asked, and he shifted a little. “No one will hurt you here. Either of you.”

“It’s in the past.” Iruka said thinly, then shifted and rolled into the water again, almost sliding alongside Kakashi’s tail as he went.

Chapter 381: New Choices (trawlers)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Iruka threw himself up out of the water into in a joyous leap, twisting through the air in a smooth dive as he fell once more, curving immediately back up, turning it into a series of loops. He startled as he splashed into the water from what he made the last one to hear a loud, echoing cry.

It was Naruto, of course, but . . . he was happy. Iruka followed the sound regardless, diving low and poking through the reef until he found an enormous field of anemone all cosily side-by-side.

Naruto was rolling through them, giggling, fins waving. Kakashi swam nearby, out of range of the anemone but clearly with a sharp eye kept on the guppy.

Iruka swallowed, gills opening wide, then fluttering as he watched. Kakashi looked towards him and smiled, continuing to circle. Iruka looked away, though he was vaguely aware of Kakashi coming nearer; he’d gotten . . . somewhat used to the presence of sharks, now, with Kakashi and his father.

Naruto wriggled and flopped on his back, spreading his arms out, then curled his tail up and rolled over again. His tail was healed, Iruka realised - had known, really, for days. They could leave this bay, and the sheltered, safe cove they had been invited to rest in, where they had been staying for weeks.

Where Naruto had been kept safe and warm deep within the cove, Iruka allowed, able, to remain with him all the time. Orochimaru had stayed close, keeping watch over Naruto and helping his healing along, Sakumo had hunted for them and entertained Naruto with amazing cheer, even when he sulked and fussed for being ordered to stay still. Kakashi had. . .

“What are you thinking?” Kakashi asked, and Iruka looked at him just before he circled over and then around and under Iruka, just shy of their tails brushing. Iruka squirmed, tail flicking. Kakashi had teased and played with Naruto, told him stories and made him feel better about his injury; had teased Iruka in other ways, always careful and respectful, eyes curious and intent.

“We can leave.” Iruka said rapidly, before he could voice any other thoughts. “Naruto and I, we can. . .” He looked back at Naruto, out of earshot, playing. Safe. Because this bay was watched over by a pair of sharks and the largest serpent Iruka had ever heard of; because they had made him welcome and even Naruto, who was skittish at the best of times, had settled in happily.

Iruka shivered as Kakashi looped him again, this time close enough their tails did brush, sliding over one another, and trailing a hand over his back down onto his tail, passing by the base of his dorsal fin. “Stay.” Kakashi said softly, and rested his chin on Iruka’s shoulder. “It can be your home, here, too. Stay.”

Iruka shifted, thinking he should pull away, but. . .

Flashes of Kakashi and his family passed through his memory - looking after Naruto, helping Iruka, their affection with each other and even - so quickly! - offered easily to Iruka and Naruto, as though- As though they belonged.

Iruka let his tail relax, curving against Kakashi’s, and met his gaze slowly, thinking with a wistful twinge of the way that Kakashi’s parents were with one another; Iruka had never seen a mated pair more adoring of one another.

“You want us to stay?” Iruka asked, tilting his head, letting the movement carry his hair out of his face once more on the gentle current.

Kakashi twisted gently, not untangling their tails, until he was beneath Iruka and looking up into his face. “Do you want to stay?” he asked, and Iruka clicked, tongue sweeping over his lip.

“I think-”

“Iruka! Kakashi!” Naruto cried, half a breath before he slammed into their sides, sending all three of them tumbling through the water, breaking Iruka and Kakashi apart. “Did you see Iruka? Did you see me? Kakashi said I could play here he said it was safe I listened I promise didn’t I Kakashi? I did what you said!”

Iruka straightened himself out and looked over at Kakashi and- His breathing stuttered as Kakashi assured Naruto he had behaved well, and the anemones would surely like him to visit again, and ran a gentle hand over Naruto’s tail, a soft smile on his angular face even as he pinched one of Naruto’s fins gently between his fingers and wiggled it, making Naruto giggle and squirm closer to him.

Iruka swallowed tightly. Yes. Yes, he wanted to stay, he thought, the feeling rough and huge in his chest.

Chapter 382: Contentment Cove (trawlers)

Notes:

previous in arc

I will be posting a SakuOro flufflet (featuring small wolf and snek) later today as birthday fluff for myself in addition to this update. X3

ETA: The flufflet is posted now, Crooning and Coddling in the Cold!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Hello, lovely.”

Orochimaru smiled, flicking his tail lazily without opening his eyes. “Hello, my heart.” Sakumo dripped water across his stomach and he laughed, twitching.

Sakumo brushed a light kiss to his lips, and Orochimaru sighed as his mate drew away, reaching up to catch a hand in his hair and meeting his eyes. Sakumo smiled, rearranging himself with the raspy slide of sharkskin on stone and bending low for another kiss.

Orochimaru rolled off the rock he’d been lazing on, dragging Sakumo deeper into the water with him and winding his tail around his mate. Sakumo laughed and returned the embrace, arms closing around Orochimaru as he nibbled, careful of his vicious teeth, at Orochimaru’s lower lip.

A warm laugh reached his ears and he smiled again, tilting his head down and nuzzling Sakumo’s jaw. They both turned towards the sound, and Orochimaru hummed contentedly as he watched Kakashi diving deep, body twisting into a loose spiral, his mate chasing after him and letting out another laugh.

Iruka reached out and caught Kakashi’s tail in both hands, just beyond the caudal fin, and Kakashi laughed as well, deep and loud, as he allowed himself to be caught and pulled in close. Naruto cried his name, just coming into sight around the rocks, then slowed abruptly, turning to look around.

Orochimaru curled the tip of his tail and reached out a hand towards the bright little guppy, beckoning, and Naruto grinned and headed for them instead. Sakumo squeezed Orochimaru around the waist and kissed his jaw, then his neck before loosening the embrace as they turned their attention to Naruto.

Notes:

This is - currently - the end of the Trawlers arc!

Also, check out this absolutely adorable mer!Sakumo art (which I asked for) featuring him as a Pacific spiny dogfish, as he is in all my mer pieces featuring him (thus far).

Chapter 383: Entrustment

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tobirama’s eyes widened. He looked from Reimiryoku’s deep golden eyes out to the back garden, where a tiny near-mimic of her played with a rather larger Hatake cub.

“Reimiryoku- Are you sure?” Tobirama asked softly, moving closer to the window. “Your son. . .”

“Who should I ask?” Reimiryoku countered, her silky voice smooth. “With his father gone,” she paused, “we are neither of us unaware of how we are seen in the village.”

Tobirama’s face twisted. “That is not-”

“Peace, Tobriama.” Reimiryoku said, lifting an elegant hand. “This is our home, mine and his as it was my mate’s. So it will remain, regardless of the . . . perceptions of idiots. I only wish for him to be safe, and happy, if,” she paused, “it comes to it. You and your mate. . . You would protect him. Teach him. He would. . .”

Tobirama clasped her hands, feeling the invisible tremor in them.

“The only others I might trust with him are. . .” Reimiryoku nodded towards the window.

“The Hatake.” Tobirama filled in, and she smiled slightly, arching a brow at him. “The other Hatake.” he corrected wryly. “But?” he asked leadingly.

They, after all, had a little one of their own already, and as was quite clear from the merest glance at the children, they adored each other. Tobirama knew that Sakumo’s parents were little less fond of Reimiryoku’s small hatchling than the cub was himself. They would, surely, be the more natural choice.

Reimiryoku sighed, lips quirked. “They love each other very much, don’t you think?” she said, echoing his thoughts. He nodded. “I rather suspect they’ll grow into it even more as they get older. I would be happy for that.” Tobirama smiled. “I would like them to grow up having each other, but not . . . together, I think. If they might.”

Tobirama glanced outside again. The children had curled up at the base of a tree, Orochimaru tucked against Sakumo’s shoulder, fingers pushed into his fur just at the top of his neck. He rather thought there would be no separating them, wherever they lived as they grew up, but in his mind that was all to the good. “I hope it never comes to it, my friend.”

“So do I.” Reimiryoku said with a tiny smile. “But if it does. Would you speak with your mate about it? Would you be willing?” she asked, clasping his hand.

“I promise.” Tobirama said gently, then squeezed. “And no matter what, I promise that I will watch after him for you, should he need me.”

“Thank you.” Reimiryoku breathed.

Notes:

This one has a followup in my MadaTobi collection, Inexorable Sea Meets Unquenchable Flame; #194, Contingency Parents.

Chapter 384: Chakra Marks

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo stepped around the corner into the nursery, following the faintly unhappy sounds from Kakashi. “What is it, cub?” he asked in a soft tone, scooping his tiny cub up out of the cradle Nori’s thick coils made around him. Kakashi fussed and whined, squirming in Sakumo’s arms.

“Oh!” Sakumo cried, rocking Kakashi in his arms. “Does that itch, little one?” he asked, crooning soothingly and trailing his fingers over his cub’s small face.

“What is it, wolf-heart?” Orochimaru asked sleepily from the doorway.

“Ah, hello, lovely.” Sakumo smiled at his mate as he turned. “Have a nice rest?”

Orochimaru yawned. “I didn’t mean to fall asleep. . . Is something wrong?”

“You still need the rest.” Sakumo chided gently, which was why he’d been careful not to wake his mate when he saw Orochimaru dozing off on the couch. Sakumo crossed to meet his mate nearer the open door. “Nothing is wrong. Nori has been watching over our cub . . . and he is even more like his lovely mother than we already knew, it seems.”

“What-” Orochimaru’s breath caught, and Sakumo passed their cub to his arms. “Oh.

Kakashi whimpered and Orochimaru rocked him, cuddling him up higher and trailing light fingertips over Kakashi’s face, where there were soft purple stripes rising to colour his skin down the sides of his snub nose and along his eyes.

Kakashi settled under his mother’s hand, then opened his mouth and bit at Orochimaru’s fingertips, muffling his own nonsense babble a little. “My marks. . .”

Sakumo nuzzled his mate’s cheek, sliding an arm around his waist. “Like his mother.”

Orochimaru smiled, leaning into Sakumo. “So it seems.”

“I’m glad.” Sakumo said softly, butting his cheek against Orochimaru’s.

Notes:

I did one with this theme in Broken Pack recently, but I plan to touch on it a bit more in some happier stories as well.

Chapter 385: Family Introductions

Notes:

A happier one with mamasnek's mamasnek today!

Chapter Text

“Mother!”

Reimiryoku lifted her head, then put aside her pen. “Hello, my little hatchling.” she called back as she rose, making her way through the house. She paused, startled, as she saw that Orochimaru wasn’t alone, a broad-shouldered figure shadowing him, the light shining on his bright hair. “And hello to you.”

“Yashagoro-sama.”

Reimiryoku arched a brow as she recognised the boy by his clan. “Hatake-san.” She turned her attention back to her hatchling.

Orochimaru smiled slightly, stepping a little further away from Hatake. Just enough that it showed off their linked hands, fingers twined. “My mother, Reimiryoku; Mother, my mate,” he said as he moved back to Hatake’s side and Reimiryoku’s eyes widened, “Hatake Sakumo.”

Sakumo bowed, and Reimiryoku swallowed her surprise and moved towards them, holding out a hand. “Well this is a pleasure, Sakumo-san.”

“Please,” Sakumo said as he rose, extending his free hand to clasp hers, “if we’ll be pack - family - then call me by name.”

Orochimaru leaned their shoulders together, relaxed and comfortable - as he should be, if he’d chosen to take this boy as his mate. Hatake. That . . . was good, she thought, with a twinge for her dearest friend - now long gone - who had been so very like his Hatake mother.

And not only devoted and honourable, Hatake were one of the few clans who were even remotely so close to their summons as her own; close enough to feel it in the blood, to change their bodies. A Hatake. . .

“If we are to be family,” Reimiryoku paused, “then please, do the same. Come through, Orochimaru, Sakumo.” she invited, beckoning them to follow her into the kitchen. “I would like to hear your story, I think.” she said, lips quirking.

Orochimaru laughed, warm and fond. There was a soft light in his eyes, one Reimiryoku recognised; she rested a hand on Sakumo’s shoulder as they sat together, squeezing. Family - pack - indeed.

Chapter 386: A Morning Splash

Chapter Text

Sakumo’s tail swished and he groaned.

“Do I hear splashing?” Orochimaru asked, coils looping over Sakumo’s tail as he wriggled deeper into the hollow of their den.

“Fuck.” Sakumo said, opening his eyes. He stroked his mate’s tail and twisted away. “I’ll go get him.”

Orochimaru hissed softly, nodding, coils winding up into a knot around his swollen belly.

Sakumo brushed a hand over Orochimaru’s side, then slipped out and up, heading for the surface. Kakashi was splashing about at the surface, as he had expected, tail curling - coiling - more than any pure shark would be able to, no matter how young.

He leapt into the air, snapping and reaching for a jeering gull. Sakumo laughed, but swallowed it back and caught his pup around the waist, pulling him back down as he splashed into the water once more. “What do you think you’re doing, pup?”

Kakashi looked up at Sakumo, pouting. It was . . . unfairly adorable, on the sharp features he had inherited from his mother, barely softened by pup-pudge. “Daaad. . .”

The gulls shrieked insults at them, and Sakumo glanced up. One male who looked to be barely past his final fledging kept swooping very low, with a guttural laugh each time. Sakumo hummed.

Five minutes.” Sakumo said, ruffling Kakashi’s hair and releasing him. “Then we’ll go back in to your mother. It’s still time for sleep.”

Kakashi gave a happy bark and splashed through the water, circling and angling his tail as he tried to leap higher. Sakumo cocked his head, then clicked his tongue, drawing Kakashi’s attention. He angled his own tail and swished his caudal fin.

Kakashi wriggled, eyeing him, then mimicked the angle curiously.

On his next leap he practically flew, snatching the mocking gull right out of the air as it shrieked in shock. The shriek gurgled into silence as Kakashi hit the water again, and another quick snap under his fingers stopped its flailing.

Kakashi turned to Sakumo, grinning proudly, and Sakumo grinned back and praised him, stroking a hand over his tail as they headed back down into the den.

Chapter 387: Mating Season

Notes:

I'm entirely likely to write a proper mating season in a mer AU sooner or later, but trulywicked, you inspired this one too, in obvious manner. XD

Chapter Text

Sakumo circled, eyes fixed on the sleek gleam of scales.

“I’d stay away if I were you.”

Sakumo turned, startled, to face Jiraiya. “What? Why?” he asked, frowning.

“Orochi loathes the frenzy that happens this time of year.” Jiraiya said wryly. “He has an entire lecture on why it’s idiotic to indulge a ‘mating season’ we don’t actually have, simply because the rest of the ocean is teeming.”

Sakumo swished his tail, brows arching. That sounded like Orochimaru.

“Just a friendly warning. If you’re determined to court him.” Jiraiya said, waving both hands, fins wiggling.

“Thank you for the alert.” Sakumo said, and made his way down to where Orochimaru coiled not far above the reef. He could hear Jiraiya shouting another warning behind him, but tuned his friend out, focusing on the lovely serpent before him instead. “Hello, Orochimaru.” he said, hands sliding over scales in what he knew was a rather forward greeting.

Orochimaru’s coils twisted and lashed, but didn’t strike out as he turned, eyes narrowing. “Shark.” he returned, and Sakumo laughed as one thick coil looped around him, Orochimaru’s body arching closer to him, their underbellies brushing.

Sakumo jerked, a shiver running through him, and Orochimaru wound more of his powerful tail around Sakumo. “You were gone longer than you promised.” he said, low but not angry.

Sakumo could vaguely hear Jiraiya squawking like a gull off above them.

He slid his hands over Orochimaru’s back and up to his shoulders. “I am sorry if I disappointed you, lovely.” he said, bowing his head and letting his nose brush Orochimaru’s cheek. “Hunting down your gift took longer than I expected. I had to find the perfect thing.” And Sakumo had been determined, knowing exactly what he wanted for the final gift in his courtship and unwilling to settle for anything lesser.

Orochimaru hummed, coils shifting. “You know,” he said, arching a little more, arm curling behind Sakumo’s neck, hair floating up around his face, “I would have been happy simply to have you.”

“Oh.” Sakumo’s gills fluttered and he wrapped his arms around Orochimaru tightly. “My lovely snake. You deserve the finest things though.”

“I said,” Orochimaru said, lips curving, “I would have been happy simply to have you.”

Sakumo swallowed tightly, stroking his - hopefully - soon-to-be-mate’s back.

Chapter 388: Gift and Omen

Notes:

Warning: though it's not in detail, there's some allusion to a miscarriage equivalent in this one. Not for the snekwolf pair.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Kohari landed on a low-slung branch, stretching her wings and then folding them away as she took a break. It had been a long flight, and she wasn’t home yet, though she hoped to be back to her mate and their not-yet-hatched egg before the equinox.

She tilted her head curiously, watching as a young wolf pranced through the thick summer growth. He bounded onto a waving fern, then rolled over a mossy patch and snapped lazily at a drifting leaf, showing deep purple streaks in the fur on his face and muzzle. Not a simple, mortal wolf, certainly.

Kohari laughed a little as he bounded from drifting leaf to falling dustmote to flitting butterfly and back, chasing and playing, though he played alone. Kohari carefully plucked a loose feather, letting it fall just ahead of the cub trotting beneath her perch. He stiffened and then leapt, snapping at it playfully and following it as it spiralled away on a breeze.

Kohari watched him play, trailing after him in little hop-flights that were hardly a strain, and thought longingly of the egg her mate was keeping watch over at home; it was not their first, but. . . She hoped this time. . . This time it would hatch, that they would have a healthy nestling. She closed her eyes and prayed. Please. Please.

A yip jerked her out of her desperate thoughts, looking reflexively for the cub and-

He was leaning out over the edge of the falls barking as her feather spiralled away. He whimpered and paced a little, and Kohari flinched. No, no, no, she had wanted him to keep playing but no to put him at risk. She called out, cautious, but he either didn’t hear her or he ignored the cry, staring forlornly.

Kohari sighed, looking at the youngling, then selected one of her older primaries, pulling it loose with a sharp jerk and giving another shriek as she tossed it into the air, this time with a flicker of magic to keep it close. It meant giving it up willingly, rather than simply discarding an old feather, but she did so without hesitation. She crooned, feeling a warm flutter in her breast as the cub discovered the feather, chasing it down and catching it.

He pranced off with it held in his teeth and Kohari gathered herself to take to the air once more, thoughts circling back to her own little one. Hopefully. . .

The cub leapt through another bit of brush below her and Kohari startled, backwinging and shrieking in horror as the precious little one fell right over the shining coils of a great serpent. They shifted, lazily at first and then rapid, squeezing him, and Kohari circled and contemplated her magic and the tableau below and what she could-

The young wolf yowled and the serpent shifted, a naga’s upper body coming into view, arms wrapping around the cub and head bowing close, long dark hair hiding their faces away even as the cub shifted shapes, clutching her freely-given feather in his fist. Kohari circled warily, hearing the cub babble to . . . his mother.

Her heart stuttered. A huge wolf appeared through the rocks, joining what must be his . . . his family, and Kohari quashed a bitter twist in her chest. Even a hybrid child that should have been nigh-impossible. . .

Kohari refused to indulge that bitterness, though. She chose to take it as a sign; this happy cub she had gifted a feather simply for his joy, his hybrid family . . . Kohari took it as an omen for her own family. Kohari’s egg would be safe this time, she thought, she and her mate would have their own little one at last.

She headed for home, holding that thought in mind as she put on more speed.

Notes:

This one will have a (two, actually) followup with KakaIru in Snuggly Sensei, tomorrow!

Followup begins with #69, Strong Hatchling.

Chapter 389: Commonplace

Chapter Text

Twitching at the sudden shattering boom from the back of the house, Orochimaru nearly tore a page from his book. He turned his gaze to his mate, rewrapping kunai across the room, and met wide eyes.

“You think-” Sakumo began, then broke off to listen as a sudden oops came from the direction of the explosion. Orochimaru sighed.

“Sorry! I blew up my room . . . again. . .” Deidara called, and Orochimaru smothered a laugh. “I’m all right though!” he added hurriedly.

“I’ve got it!” Tenzou added from another corner of the house, and Sakumo laughed quietly. “Again. . .” he muttered, crossing into sight on the way to Deidara’s room.

“Tadaima.” Kakashi called from the door. “The explosion I heard. . ?”

“Your otouto.” Sakumo confirmed.

“Of course.” Kakashi said wryly, grinning as he tugged his mask down. “Would it be anyone else?”

The house shuddered minutely as Tenzou presumably used his mokuton to restore Deidara’s room to its original condition.

Again.

Chapter 390: Relaxing

Chapter Text

“Calm down, wolf.” Orochimaru said lazily, shifting his weight. “I’ll think you don’t trust me.” he teased, in his gentlest tone, hands resting at the vulnerable crook of Sakumo’s neck.

Sakumo whined, going limp on the futon beneath his mate’s weight. Orochimaru hummed approvingly and smoothed his hands over Sakumo’s back.

Orochimaru poured warm oil over his back. There was no scent to it, and Sakumo relaxed a little more, breathing deeply. Orochimaru smoothed his hands over Sakumo’s shoulders, which ached a little under the light pressure - he was healed, but the newly-healed bones were still tender - and then stroked down on either side of his spine.

Sakumo could only smell his mate, and himself, and the slightly spicy scent of sex that clung to their futon from nights before. It probably needed to be taken outside to air properly, he thought absently, and then moaned as Orochimaru’s strong fingers pressed down on either side of his spine, sliding up towards his nape.

It ached again as he moved higher, but it was painfully good, relaxing the tight pull of the muscles in his back. Orochimaru’s hands warmed with chakra and Sakumo whined softly, fingers twitching as his mate worked his muscles, which had felt like overdrawn chakra wire, into something that felt closer to warm honey.

“Thank you, lovely.” Sakumo groaned into his pillow, half-asleep, and Orochimaru chuckled, bending low - his silky hair fell over the top of Sakumo’s shoulder - and kissing his neck. Sakumo sighed, eyes closed, melting under his mate’s affectionate caresses.

Orochimaru nipped at the nape of his neck, and Sakumo shivered, just a little too sleepy to be aroused by it, and just awake enough to feel a flare of heat regardless.

Chapter 391: Runaway Wolf

Chapter Text

“Kakashi is asleep.” Orochimaru said quietly.

“He’s- He’s had a long day. Weeks.” Sakumo corrected, shaking his head. Longer, probably.

“So have you.” Orochimaru said, curling his legs and coming down to settle beside Sakumo, fingers brushing his face. “And now Kakashi is asleep. . .” he said leadingly, and Sakumo swallowed thickly, a shudder running through him. “Tell me what happened. Properly. Tell me everything, wolf-heart.” he commanded, cupping Sakumo’s cheek in his palm.

Sakumo’s breath caught; he didn’t even want to think about-

Orochimaru repeated himself, and Sakumo hadn’t the will to resist any further.

He had no loyalty to Konoha to buy his silence, no strength to hold back what his mate asked for when all he wanted. . .

Sakumo told the story of his ill-fated mission, what he had done for his teammates, and sank down as he spoke. Orochimaru stroked his hair and shifted gently, drawing Sakumo’s head into his lap.

Sakumo whimpered and told of the trek back to the village, and the response from not only his teammates and his comrades but his superiors, from the Hokage. . . Orochimaru rubbed his shoulders and cradled him close.

Sakumo buried his face against Orochimaru’s ribs and told his mate in hitching gasps about the abuse and anger directed at him, after, and worse, at their cub, and tried to explain his response, his reactions, what he had been tempted- The choice he had almost made. . .

And then the one he had made, taking Kakashi and running, allowing his village’s venom to kill his loyalty, leaving his wolf’s heart with only one bond. Sakumo had taken his cub and run for their pack; the only thing left to keep his heart beating and breath in his body.

“That’s it,” Orochimaru crooned gently, “you’ve done so well, wolf-heart.”

Sakumo sobbed weakly, clinging to his mate’s waist. Orochimaru ran his fingers through Sakumo’s hair. He’d fought- He’d fought so hard, and he’d nearly given in to the shame and recriminations slung at him - and worse, at their cub - by his village, to which he had given his loyalty and nearly his life and-

“My brave wolf,” Orochimaru murmured, stroking his brow, “let go. You’re safe. You’re with me again, my beloved mate.”

Sakumo tilted his head up just as Orochimaru bent to kiss his brow, and he fell apart curled against his mate, secure in the knowledge that this time he was truly safe, that his failures would be protected and balanced, not turned into weapons against him.

Chapter 392: Storm Scare

Chapter Text

“Dad. Mama.”

Orochimaru smothered a groan, rubbing the back of his wrist over his face and turning. “Kakashi?” he asked, reaching out for his son.

“What is it, cub?” Sakumo echoed, running his fingers through Kakashi’s fluffy hair.

There was a low rumble of thunder that rattled the windows.

“I think Tenzou-otouto is frightened, Dad.” Kakashi said, and Orochimaru blinked, stirring.

“Oh, the storms. . . He’s not used to them. . .” Orochimaru said, frowning. The Root lab where Tenzou had spent the first almost a year of his life was far too deeply buried to hear rain or thunder.

Sakumo rolled out from beneath the kakebuton and rose to his feet. “We should have kept him with us.” he said under his breath as he headed for the door, and Orochimaru sighed, nodding.

“Thank you for telling us, precious.” Orochiamru said, stroking Kakashi’s cheek and tugging him down into a hug. Kakashi snuggled into him cosily. “How did you know? Did he start crying?” Orochimaru was surprised not to have woken himself, if Tenzou had begun to cry, even with him in the next room.

“No. . .” Kakashi wriggled. “I was awake. . .”

Orochimaru hummed, but didn’t ask why Kakashi had been awake.

“So I went to check on otouto, and he was awake, and he wasn’t crying but he looked scared, Mama.” Kakashi said, resting his chin on Orochimaru’s chest. “Mama, will he be all right?”

“Of course, precious.” Orochimaru soothed, hearing the barely-there sound of his mate returning, presumably with their younger child. He really should stay with them at night, Orochimaru thought absently.

Chapter 393: Howling Banglet

Chapter Text

“What in the name of the kami is that sound?” Orochimaru asked as Sakumo stepped inside; he’d been just heading outside to see it for himself, whatever it was.

Sakumo laughed just as Kakashi’s voice rose in a familiar howl. It was echoed by a shrieking, choking sort of sound.

“Deidara is . . . learning how to howl.” Sakumo said, grinning.

Orochimaru’s brows rose. Sakumo laughed again, louder. “I will admit,” Orochimaru said evenly, “that howling is your department, wolf-heart, and not mine, but that. . .”

It was not a howl, whatever else it was.

“He’s trying.” Sakumo said, warm with affection, which Orochimaru supposed was true. He shook his head a little and crossed to the back door. Sakumo nuzzled his cheek, then slid a hand over his stomach as he continued into the house.

Orochimaru stepped outside to see Kakashi sitting on the edge of the engawa with Deidara standing on the ground below, face creased with determination.

Kakashi howled, low and relaxed, tipping his head up, and Deidara drew a deep breath, then . . . shrieked, tingeing into something that might be a roar if he were older, his voice deeper and stronger.

Chapter 394: Tame

Chapter Text

Tsunade hummed thoughtfully, making sure her hair was pinned up properly before taking up a dipper of water. “And how does one tame a wolf, Oro?”

A smoky laugh from the other side of the divider beside her, along with soft splashing. “One does not.” he replied, and Tsunade made a curious sound as she began scrubbing herself thoroughly. “A dog may be leashed, Tsunade; a wolf . . . chooses to roam - or remain - where he will.”

Tsunade laughed a little, taking up a light yukata and a towel before stepping out from behind the divider to find Orochimaru doing the same. His long hair was wound into an elegant knot, and only because Tsunade expected to see it did she spot the shining scales blending into the inky shine of Orochimaru’s hair. One of his snakes cosily wrapped around the knot, holding it in place.

“You may say your wolf is not a tame one,” Tsunade said, leading the way out to the onsen itself, “but it is . . . difficult to deny, to anyone who has seen him,” she paused, raising an eyebrow and glancing back at him, “with you.”

A memory of the huge silvery wolf appearing out of nowhere - Tsunade had been startled, had to hold back her aggressive reflex - pacing across packed dirt and stone, leaving bloody pawprints even as he leapt up to the engawa, only to sprawl peaceably there as Orochimaru used him as a support to lounge upon. Lying in a relaxed heap beneath Orochimaru’s weight, tail thumping the boards as he submitted to - begged for - Orochimaru’s hands scratching and ruffling his ears.

Orochimaru smiled his sharp, knowing smile, shedding his wrap and sliding into the water. “Sweet, perhaps.” he said with a tint of warmth in his voice. “Mine, yes. Tame, never.”

Tsunade laughed as she followed suit, stretching luxuriously and giving a soft hiss as the heat washed over her. “I stand corrected.” she said lazily, settling into a comfortably-worn niche in the pool.

Chapter 395: Battlefield Cleanup

Chapter Text

Sakumo skimmed the battlefield in a series of quick glances as he collected the handful of kunai that had landed near enough his position to be convenient as he started moving.

A flicker of white, black, the dull green of a Konoha flak vest; Sakumo catalogued the movement and kept his eye out for enemies. The pale blue glow of-

Sakumo whirled towards another bit of motion. “Back off!” Sakumo barked, already moving past, towards the sweep of Kusanagi as Orochimaru called it to him with a flicker of chakra.

“But-”

“What kind of Konoha ninja doesn’t recognise their own comrades?” Sakumo snapped, catching the jounin by the back of his collar. Kusanagi returned to Orochimaru’s hand, and he smoothed a cloth over the blade, cleaning it with graceful gestures.

Sakumo snorted as the jounin shuddered, watching Orochimaru sheathe the sword. He turned loose his grip and began making his way across the battlefield again, this time more directly towards his mate.

Orochimaru turned towards him with a slight smile, and Sakumo brushed two fingers over the back of his mate’s wrist, dipping his head. They got back to work clearing the battlefield without exchanging a word.

Chapter 396: Hunted Wolf

Chapter Text

Sakumo panted, keeping his breaths and his footfalls silent as he ran, driving himself ever faster. The undergrowth whipped at his legs, caught at his fur, dragged at him and slowed his pace.

He could hear the rough breathing of pursuers, the ruffle of chakra-whipped wind and the low groan of doton racing beneath his paws. A thrum tickled his pads and he leapt, making it into the air just ahead of the earth breaking open to catch him.

He yipped breathlessly, rebounding off a tree trunk and trying to race ahead faster.

“Wolf!”

Sakumo barked, heart leaping with relief to hear Orochimaru and clenching with alarm for his mate being in this trap along with him. The earth rumbled beneath him as his paws impacted the rock again, surging up to catch him in stinging, sharp slabs.

He howled a warning to his mate, wherever Orochimaru was.

A sharp pain at the base of his neck made him jerk, keening, and-

“Wolf!” Orochimaru said sharply, and Sakumo gasped, eyes snapping open. He was in his own den, in his own bed, his mate leaning over him, faintly limned by the starlight that made it around the curtains.

“Oro.” Sakumo gasped, twisting a little. “Lovely.”

Orochimaru crooned, curling around Sakumo and kissing his throat, stroking his hair. Sakumo shifted into his mate, breathing in deeply, feeling the warm drip of blood oozing over his skin from where Orochimaru must have bitten him, hard. Orochimaru kissed there, nuzzling his throat, fingers rubbing just beneath the nape of his neck.

It had been a dream, nightmare. Sakumo had never been in a situation quite like that one, and certainly wasn’t now. He was safe in his own den with Orochimaru, warm and relaxed and curled around him, crooning nonsense and stroking his back and neck.

Sakumo buried his nose against his mate’s neck, heart easing a little more.

Chapter 397: Accident

Chapter Text

Sakumo paused in the doorway, eyebrows rising. Orochimaru was on his knees, peering under the table.

“I’m not cross, precious.” Orochimaru said gently, and Sakumo stepped into the house fully, closing the door quietly. “Come out, please?”

A soft whimper and then Kakashi edged out from beneath the table with his head low, belly against the floor. Orochimaru smoothed a hand over his head and rubbed behind his ears, and they perked up a little more.

There was dirt caught in his fluff, Sakumo saw as he stepped up from the genkan. Kakashi moved out a little more into view and Sakumo saw something glittery as well, and frowned.

“Lovely? Cub?” Sakumo asked as Kakashi slid smoothly into Orochimaru’s lap with only a gentle tug.

Orochimaru smoothed gentle fingers through Kakashi’s fur, and there was a soft clink of glass on the floor. Kakashi’s ears flattened down to his head and Orochimaru tsked softly, pulling loose a slightly bigger piece.

“There was a bit of an accident in my lab.” Orochimaru said, glancing up at Sakumo with a fleeting smile. “I was working on antivenin, everything is all right, as long as you aren’t hurt, precious, mm?” he asked, cupping Kakashi’s jaw and stroking his muzzle.

Kakashi’s tail twitched and his head lifted a little higher, giving a soft little yowl.

Chapter 398: Lazy Fluff

Chapter Text

A cool brush at the base of his neck made Orochimaru shiver and stretch, shifting his hips - Kakashi huffed in his sleep in Orochimaru’s lap, one ear twitching - and he tipped his head, reaching up for his mate as Sakumo’s nose nudged a little higher.

Sakumo whuffed and nuzzled him affectionately, and Orochimaru curled his fingers into Sakumo’s thick ruff. He pressed a kiss to the side of Sakumo’s muzzle, tugging at his handful of fur.

Tail wagging, Sakumo settled to the floor along Orochimaru’s outstretched legs, putting his head down against Orochimaru’s hip. He ruffled Sakumo’s fur, stroking between his ears, and Kakashi wriggled a little across his thighs, one back paw sliding down to rest against Sakumo’s shoulder.

His tail thumped softly against the floorboards, and Orochimaru smiled as he rested his hand on their cub’s back.

Chapter 399: Extraction

Chapter Text

“It’s the only way to get him in without bringing him in on two feet.” Tarou said, frowning.

No.” Jiraiya said flatly, shaking his head. “This is not a workable option.”

“I’m fresh off this argument with the Inuzuka,” Tarou said, glaring, “there’s no way to alter the plan at this date, and we need Hatake.” He shifted his gaze, and Orochimaru felt his jaw itch, wanting to drop his fangs.

“Do without it.” Orochimaru snapped. “I won’t-”

“It’s all right.” Sakumo said, his voice soft, and Orochimaru whirled to his mate.

“Wolf-heart. . .” Orochimaru reached out as Sakumo stepped close, dipping his head just a little. “No.” He shook his head. “I won’t- won’t leash you, Sakumo-”

“If it’s you,” Sakumo said, closing his eyes as Orochimaru’s hands slid over his face, “I’ll be all right. If it’s you. . .” He looked up to meet Orochimaru’s gaze, closing the distance between them and nudging their brows together. “I can take a collar,” he said softly, a breath that reached no further than Orochimaru’s ears, “as long as it’s from your hands.”

Orochimaru’s heart clenched, and he dipped his head, sliding one hand to the back of his mate’s neck.

“We have to get out of this. It’s the best way.” Sakumo said, though Orochimaru could hear the whine underlying his voice. Could feel the tremor running through him.

Orochimaru met his eyes again, nodding slightly. “Fine. Then we’ll do it.” He looked at Tarou, who at least had the sense to move on without rubbing it in any further.

Chapter 400: Settling In

Chapter Text

Sakumo left the lights off as he made his way through his den - it was dark, but he knew his home, and there was just enough light from the night sky to be going on with.

He stopped short just before his toes impacted. . . Sakumo poked gently against a warm scaly band across the floor. “Nori?”

“Sakumo-san.” Nori hissed, coils shifting against his foot and ankle.

“. . .did Kakashi lock you out?” he asked, reaching for the door.

Nori made a faintly forlorn sound. Sakumo wouldn’t have thought a hiss could be forlorn, thirty years ago. “Hatchlingcub was exhausted after his mission. . .”

“Mm, I’m sure.” Sakumo agreed. Kakashi was back a full five days early, either he had finished up faster due to chance, or he had rushed home. Sakumo could hear the faint sounds of his son inside, breathing slow and steady in sleep. He opened the door wide enough for Nori to slither through, then waited for the rather extensive length of Nori to get all the way through and closed the door again.

Sakumo continued to his own bedroom, letting himself in and finding his mate still awake, a lamp on near the futon. Orochimaru tipped his head up, smiling as he put aside the journal that had been open on his lap. “Welcome home, wolf-heart.”

Sakumo grinned back, closing the door behind himself and stepping over the thick - thought significantly less so than Nori - coils of another of his mate’s summons. She raised her head, resettling her tail, and Sakumo bent to stroke her head before settling onto the futon.

Sakumo leaned into Orochimaru’s side, nose sliding along his mate’s shoulder, breathing him in. “Hello, lovely.”

Orochimaru stroked his side, humming softly and curling into him. Sakumo rumbled affectionately, sinking down lower, nipping gently at Orochimaru’s collarbone. Then he settled at Orochimaru’s side with a sigh, nuzzling against his hip, smiling as his mate’s hand smoothed over his neck and down his back.

Chapter 401: Warms

Chapter Text

“I didn’t expect to see you up already, lovely.” Sakumo said, pausing for a yawn. He brushed a hand over Orochimaru’s hip and dipped his head to rest on Orochimaru’s shoulder. “What’s for breakfast?”

“Melon bread and eggs.” Orochimaru said, trailing his fingers over his mate’s arm. He picked up the kettle, then paused. He pulled the top off. “What are you doing in there?” he asked, peering into the dark inside.

“Warms?” Kagemono suggested, tongue flicking out as he raised his head.

“It will be entirely too warms, if you don’t get out of there.” Sakumo said, chuckling.

Kagemono made a sulky noise, but twisted about to inspect the kettle. He hissed, then wound himself around Orochimaru’s hand and wrist, slightly damp, and made his way higher.

“Do be careful.” Orochimaru suggested, and smiled at the sound of another sulky hiss.

Sakumo jumped as Kagemono slid over Orochimaru’s shoulder and, presumably, to his mate’s shoulders instead.

“Warms.” Kagemono said again, and Orochimaru twisted to see the shadowy coils sliding beneath Sakumo’s yukata along his collarbone. Sakumo shivered, reaching up and smoothing a hand over Kagemono’s scales.

Orochimaru kissed his cheek and stepped away to rinse out the kettle.

Chapter 402: Places for Snakes

Chapter Text

Sakumo paused with the kettle in one hand, then lifted the lid off and peered inside. He put the kettle down and reached inside for the small scaly heap curled at the bottom, lifting out . . . Kagemono, he thought, a young solid black snake.

“The kettle,” Sakumo said, yawning, “is not a good place for you. It’s dangerous. Gets very hot inside.”

Kagemono wriggled and wound around his hand, tiny tongue flicking. “Where is best for warms, then?” he asked, coils shrugging, squeezing around Sakumo’s hand.

Sakumo put down the lid of the kettle and turned away, heading out of the kitchen. He slipped into Kakashi’s room, where his cub was still asleep, cuddled in Nori’s broad coils and snug in a thick silvery-grey fur blanket.

Sakumo lowered his hand, pouring Kagemono down just inside the open edge of the fur by Kakashi’s chest. Kagemono’s tongue flicked and he slithered further inside, hissing contentedly.

Kakashi wriggled a little, sighing, fingers flexing. Nori coiled a little more snugly around Kakashi, lifting his head a bit to look up at Sakumo. He brushed a hand over Nori’s head, and he gave a soft hiss as well, lowering it to rest on Kakashi’s shoulder.

“Stay with Kakashi for now.” Sakumo advised Kagemono, and rubbed along Nori’s jaw. “And stay out of the kettle, please.” he added as he saw the tip of the jet black tail slide out of view.

Nori made a chiding noise and settled more cosily down with Kakashi, bringing one heavy coil over Kakashi’s chest and then away again, so as not to squash him. Sakumo smiled and brushed a hand over his cub’s head, then left him in the care of his most devoted caretaker, now with at least one more snake tucked up inside his blankets with him.

Sakumo wouldn’t lay odds Kagemono was the only one - his mate’s summons adored their cub, at least as much as Sakumo’s wolves did, and Kakashi loved them fiercely in return. Sakumo smiled as he went back to the kitchen, thinking how strange this might have seemed, so many years ago, before he had fallen in love with his beautiful, brilliant, unusual snake.

Chapter Text

“Come back here.” Sakumo rumbled, hands sliding over Orochimaru’s hips, settling across his belly and drawing him backwards.

Orochimaru swayed and let himself be moved, settling into his mate’s lap, thighs spreading easily as Sakumo shifted beneath him. He hissed softly, feeling his mate’s cock hard and hot against him through Sakumo’s light pants and his own yukata.

Sakumo smoothed a hand down Orochimaru’s thigh, then back up and over his own cock, growling softly against his shoulder. Orochimaru’s hips tilted as he leaned back against Sakumo’s chest, and Sakumo nipped roughly at his throat, squeezing his cock gently and giving it a rough stroke.

Orochimaru’s fingers curled around Sakumo’s wrist and he pressed his head close against Sakumo’s neck. He shifted and welcomed Orochimaru against himself, pulling at his yukata to more easily get to his cock, free hand dipping down to brush over the bare skin of Orochimaru’s inner thigh.

He spread his legs further, nails digging into Sakumo’s wrist but not trying to stop his movements, shifting slightly and pushing up into his mate’s touch.

Chapter 404: Presentable

Chapter Text

Orochimaru frowned. “Do come back here.” he suggested firmly, and arched a brow at Maru as she pranced sideways, fluffy tail held high. “Weren’t you complaining about your fur?”

Maru paused, tail swishing. “Yes.” she admitted. “Sakumo will brush me.” she added, a little haughtily.

“Don’t I do well with it?” Orochimaru nudged gently.

“Yes!” Seikio said happily, leaning up against Orochimaru’s side, rubbing his cheek against Orochimaru’s arm. He freed himself of the sudden weight - the young wolf fell against his ribs instead - and stroked Seikio’s thick, sleek fur. “Best brushing.”

“Sakumo will brush me.” Maru stipulated again, all but dancing as she moved away, light on her paws.

“Sakumo will,” Orochimaru agreed, and picked up the brush from the boards beside him, “when he is well enough again. Do you want to greet him looking,” he paused meaningfully, eyes trailing over Maru, “scruffy?”

Maru paused, one forepaw in the air. She did not, truth be told, look scruffy . . . precisely. A little messier than usual, her thick fur thicker with the shedding undercoat that had yet to come free on its own and would do so more smoothly with the aid of a brush, but not scruffy.

The idea was enough to sway her, however, it seemed, as she snorted and paced lightly over to them, nipping Seikio’s ear and making him yip, rolling to his paws with a sulky rumble. Orochimaru shook his head slightly and offered the brush.

Maru inspected it, then deigned to allow it, sighing and relaxing a little as Orochimaru drew it through her thick fur, stroking lightly with his free hand and scritching gently as he went.

“. . .Sakumo will be well soon, won’t he?” Maru asked, tipping an ear towards him.

Orochimaru stroked her back, then hugged her around the shoulders, knowing that while she might be more particular - about everyone but Sakumo - the contact was reassurance, to a wolf. “He will. The iryou-nin have already put him to rights, he only needs more time to recover.”

Sakumo was mostly healed, but weak from the poison - and Orochimaru had been hard-pressed to contain his fury, less at the initial poisoning and more at not being told until it had already worn his mate near to death, when he could have provided an antidote immediately - and as yet not allowed to leave the hospital.

Maru whuffed, but her shoulders relaxed a little and she pushed into the brush on the next stroke.

Chapter 405: Stealth at Breakfast

Chapter Text

Sakumo cocked his head, taking a step back and peering at the bowl on the counter. His brows rose, but he continued to the table, stepping over Kita where he lay sprawled across the floor.

“Lovely.” Sakumo greeted, bending to kiss his mate’s cheek before seating himself. Orochimaru smiled at him, turning the teapot so the handle was towards him. “Why is the fruit bowl hissing?”

“They’re practising stealth.” Orochimaru said with a slight smile. Sakumo raised his eyebrows again, glancing at the fruit bowl, where several snakes of different colours were coiled into vague balls. “Oh, leave them to it, they’re having fun.”

“Silly snakes.” Kita opined, and Sakumo shifted, rubbing the ball of his foot back and forth over Kita’s ribs. He grinned, tail thumping the floor in a lazy wag.

“I’d like to see you pass for fruit.” Orochimaru said dryly, and Kita snickered.

“You could pretend to be a rug.” Sakumo told Kita, and he huffed, stretching and pointedly shoving into Sakumo’s chair. Sakumo shook his head, prodding his wolf in the shoulder and sipping his tea.

“What is the white one pretending to be?” Sakumo asked, stealing a slice of peach from his mate’s plate. Orochimaru gave him an arch look, but pushed the plate nearer.

“Perhaps their target neglects their fruit bowl until things grow mouldy.” Orochimaru suggested, and Kita snickered again, tail wagging once more. Sakumo ruffled his fur idly with one foot.

Chapter 406: Preening and Petulance

Chapter Text

Letting his hair fall free of its knot, Jiraiya shook out his damp wings, already faintly regretting getting out of the onsen. It had been a long mission and he’d promised himself several days’ worth of time in the hot water, but that wasn’t exactly practical.

He was hungry and he wanted a drink, besides. He picked up a second towel and sat down, ruffling his feathers as best he could. He twisted around, inspecting the place where a kunai had sliced through his feathers, just shy of drawing blood.

“Sit still.” Orochimaru yanked at one of his feathers and Jiraiya stifled a yelp, twisting to look at him.

“Hey!” Jiraiya dragged his wings forwards away from Orochimaru and he hissed.

“Do you want to look a disaster?” Orochimaru asked sharply, and his clever fingers worked through Jiraiya’s feathers without waiting for an answer. The noise Jiraiya stifled this time was a soft groan; Orochimaru was mildly terrifying, though Jiraiya himself had never been terrified, but when he wanted to be gentle. . .

“I thought,” Jiraiya said, letting his wings relax under Orochimaru’s preening, “I was always a disaster?”

“You needn’t look it quite so much.” Orochimaru said primly, and Jiraiya laughed. He spread his wings a little more and allowed his best friend to look after him, even if he didn’t think it was necessary. He’d learned a long time ago there were things it was best not to argue with his teammates on. However amusing they were when aggravated. Besides, this was hardly something to protest; it was enjoyable.

A sharp . . . moody flick of broad, pale wings caught Jiraiya’s eye and he tipped his head down a little more, looking through his fringe. He smiled slightly and leaned into Orochimaru’s hands, sighing. Orochimaru squeezed the nape of his neck gently and returned to preening his wings.

Sakumo’s wings - a bit ruffled and messy himself, Jiraiya noted - snapped in close once more, angled up and tight. That, Jiraiya thought, was a very distressed Hatake. He kept watching, nudging the top of one wing up into Orochimaru’s palm. He squeezed it lightly, just enough to warn Jiraiya to stop squirming.

Dan brushed a hand over one of Sakumo’s wings, then tugged at his shoulder, and he slowly, reluctantly moved away, eyes lingering on Jiraiya - and Orochimaru.

Jiraiya hummed thoughtfully, watching as the two left together, leaning into his best friend’s hands a little more.

Chapter 407: Stuck Snek

Chapter Text

Kakashi yawned, rubbing his face as he slipped quietly past his parents’ room - the door was closed and he could just hear the sounds of deep breathing inside - on his way to the kitchen. He poked around the cupboards, plucking an apple from the bowl and fish from the larder before going to the stove.

He paused. Kagemono wriggled, his head halfway in the spout of the kettle, his body trailing down its side and heaped on the stove.

“Kagemono?” Kakashi asked, running his hand over Kagemono’s coils.

“Cubling!” Kagemono wriggled again, then stilled with a forlorn hiss. “Help? Please? Stuck. . .”

Kakashi stroked him calmingly, then tugged him neatly out of the kettle’s spout. There were scuffs on the scales of his nose and jaw, and Kakashi crooned soothingly, rubbing them with his thumb. “I think you’re too big for the kettle now.” he suggested gently.

Kagemono hissed despondently, winding himself around Kakashi’s wrist, and Kakashi brushed his cheek along Kagemono’s head and coils before collecting the kettle to fill and put on properly.

Chapter 408: Hot Springs and Hints

Chapter Text

Still on edge from his mission, Jiraiya stirred a little from his almost-doze at the barely-there sound of someone new coming into the area around the onsen. He watched from behind his fringe, not moving, and a moment later a familiar broad-shouldered but lean figure stepped into view.

Sakumo pinned his hair up, messy spikes sticking out, as he approached the pool, and Jiraiya relaxed once more as he was assured nothing more had changed - several other nin still lounged in the pool nearby, and no one else had followed Sakumo out.

Sakumo met his gaze abruptly. “Ah, Jiraiya!” He tensed a little, looking around, subtly at first, and then more openly, frowning slightly. He unwound his towel and stepped into the pool, sighing softly.

“Sakumo.” Jiraiya greeted lazily, waving his fingers. “Looking for someone?”

Sakumo made a grumbling noise and didn’t answer. Jiraiya contemplated him for a moment, then stretched, rolling his shoulders. “Orochi is with Tsuna,” he supplied, trying not to smirk and gesturing to the tall fence that divided the two pools from one another, “as usual.”

Sakumo blinked, glancing at the barrier, then back at Jiraiya. His frown deepened, brow furrowed. “Oh.” he said, voice low.

Jiraiya inspected him. He didn’t ask anything further. Jiraiya sighed and shifted a little more against the smooth side of the pool, enjoying the ripple of the hot water around him. “I believe he claims to find it more relaxing than my company. Not that Tsuna really waits around for anyone else’s opinion when she’s made up her mind, and she likes to drag him along with her.”

Not that Orochimaru had much difficulty making his own opinion clear if he chose, even with Tsunade.

Sakumo looked puzzled, but his frown had eased slightly. Jiraiya smiled, catching Sakumo’s eye. “I’m sure he’d be,” he paused, waggling his brows, “pleased to see you, after.”

Sakumo’s lips tugged towards a smile. “Oh?”

Jiraiya made an exaggeratedly innocent face. “Not that I would know anything of the kind, of course.”

“Of course.” Sakumo grinned at him, glancing at the fence with a calculating glint in his stormy grey eyes.

Jiraiya relaxed against the side of the pool with a smug smile, closing his eyes again.

Chapter 409: Token

Chapter Text

“What are you so focused on?” Dan asked, leaning back a little and trying to get a look at what Sakumo had in his hands.

Sakumo made a low thoughtful sound, shifting his weight, and turned his palms upwards a little, showing off what he was working on. Dan’s eyes widened. Sakumo rubbed his thumb over the shaft of one silvery feather, wrapping a loop of silvery-blue wire a little tighter around it, then working in the first of a smaller pair.

Dan leaned against his back, careful of his wings - not that he was under any misapprehensions as to how tough his best friend was - chin on his shoulder. “Ready so soon?” he asked quietly, running his fingers through the feathers of Sakumo’s other wing. “Or are you just . . . preparing?”

He honestly wasn’t sure - Sakumo was deeply smitten, and he very well might be prepared to offer Orochimaru a token already. Then again, it was never unwise to be . . . prepared.

Sakumo laughed softly and leaned backwards against Dan, ruffling the bundle of feathers taking shape under his hands. It was quite clearly a token made for a specific person - there were several small gold beads nestled amongst the feathers, and a faceted, deep violet gem set in the tightly-wound wire.

“A little of both.” Sakumo admitted, voice low. “Do you think he. . .”

Dan squeezed his shoulder, making an uncertain noise. Orochimaru was . . . considerably more difficult to read, and Dan was not nearly so familiar with him; in fact most of what he knew of the man came from Tsunade speaking fondly of her ‘brother’.

Sakumo hummed softly, turning the token over and winding the wire higher, towards the point of the shaft. He rubbed his thumb over it. “Perhaps.” he said, probably more to himself than Dan. “Soon. . .”

Chapter 410: Sleepy Fluff

Chapter Text

A soft rustling sound was just enough to stir Orochimaru from sleep, though not quite disturbing enough to wake fully - not here, safe in his own nest. He drew a deep breath, then sighed, stretching lazily and pressing the ball of one foot into the heap of warm fluff now settling at the end of the futon.

He wasn’t sure which of the wolves it was, but they rumbled contentedly, shifting against his foot and stretching one foreleg across his calves. Kakashi whined softly in his sleep and Orochimaru curled his arm a little more snugly around his son, sighing.

Kakashi’s fluffy hair tickled his face as Orochimaru ran his fingers through it, smoothing it down. Not that it helped for more than a few moments, even less so than it did for his father’s wild mane. Orochimaru tucked his chin atop his son’s head and Kakashi wriggled, fingers curling into his yukata.

Orochimaru drifted deeper into sleep once more to the sound of soft padding, and smiled faintly as another of the wolves settled at his back, warm and solid.

Chapter 411: Happiness

Chapter Text

Tsunade hesitated, but took a seat as Orochimaru gestured again, more pointedly. She propped an elbow on the table, inspecting her friend carefully, though without chakra - for now. “You look like you’re feeling well.” she observed. Not that she was unused to Orochimaru’s quick recoveries, but this was quite different to battle injuries.

Orochimaru turned and flashed a smile at her, then returned to his attention on the teapot. It was a . . . softer smile than he had worn for years; small and sure and settled. It eased Tsunade’s heart a little to see it on his face. He deserved that feeling; security and softness. Kami knew Sakumo would go to the ends of the earth for him, she thought, with a twist of fondness for the man.

“Where’s the little one?” Tsunade asked as Orochimaru crossed to the table with the tea tray he had made up. Presumably Kakashi was with his father, who doted on the baby with fervour similar to that he displayed in his adoration of Orochimaru.

“Asleep.” Orochimaru said, waving a hand towards the back of the house, and Tsunade stilled, eyes widening. Not that she thought the baby wouldn’t be fine, but she was surprised that his parents had left him- “Yura is with him. With Maya watching over her, I believe.” he added wryly.

“Yura?” Tsunade repeated, though it was hardly as though she knew all of Orochimaru’s summons by name; if Yura were one of them. . .

Orochimaru pushed the tea tray to the centre of the table and beckoned, and Tsunade rose, following him across the house silently. He opened the door to the bedroom and Tsunade paused in the doorway as he continued across to- Oh. Kakashi lay in a deep blue bundle - Tsunade suspected it might be one of Sakumo’s shirts, from the white and red trim - against a heap of fur that was breathing.

Orochimaru went to his knees on the futon, brushing a hand over the wolf’s head as she lifted it, and her ears flicked towards him, her tail swishing slightly. Orochimaru trailed his fingers over Kakashi’s pudgy little cheek, the soft look overtaking his face once more, even stronger than before.

Tsunade’s heart squeezed and a smile tugged at her lips. Orochimaru was happy, with his husband - his mate - and his impossible little wonder of a baby, and it made her happy to see it. Tsunade leaned in the doorway as Orochimaru scooped his son up, cradling him close and resting one hand on the wolf beside them.

Chapter 412: Stolen Sai

Chapter Text

“Okaeri, lovely.”

Orochimaru looked away from the small, out-of-place pair of sandals in the genkan to his mate, returning Sakumo’s smile. He lifted a hand to brush his fingertips over Sakumo’s cheek, catching him in a light kiss. “Who’s visiting?” he asked as he drew away.

Sakumo laughed, low and rumbling, and Orochimaru’s brows rose. “Wolf-heart?”

Sakumo shifted, stepping away. “You remember, so many years ago, how you brought home a half-broken little Root-” he broke off with a rough growl, and Orochimaru snorted, nodding. “Our cub remains very like his mother.” he said, smile returning, and turned to walk away.

Orochimaru stiffened. “I- Pardon?”

Sakumo glanced over his shoulder at Orochimaru, then beckoned. “Kakashi brought home. . . Well.” He led Orochimaru down the corridor to the sunny room they had added to the house when Tenzou was quite small, opening the door.

A boy whose skin was almost as white as Orochimaru’s scales sat on a cushion in perfect seiza, his head coming up instantly at their entrance. Kakashi put a hand on his shoulder, and he looked to Kakashi immediately, dark eyes wide.

The boy was much older than Tenzou had been, but the expression reminded Orochimaru of the way Tenzou had looked at his brother when they were young. Still did, from time to time.

“Mama!” Kakashi greeted, squeezing the boy’s shoulder. “This is Sai,” he tilted his head, smiling, and Sai looked from Kakashi to Orochimaru, face blank, “Sai, this is my mother, Yashagoro Orochimaru.”

“Hajimemashita onegaishimasu, Orochimaru-sama.” Sai bowed, his voice perfectly even. Orochimaru caught Kakashi’s eye, arching a brow.

Chapter 413: Sleepy Shrublet

Chapter Text

“Tenzou. . . Sweetie, let go. . .”

Tenzou wriggled, mumbling a little, not quite waking up. He buried his face deeper in the softness of Dad’s hair, fingers knotted in it.

“Tenzou. . .” Mama called again, and Tenzou whimpered softly.

“Oh, let him stay.” Dad said, his voice a low rumble that thrummed through Tenzou’s whole body. “He’s all right.”

One of Dad’s big hands smoothed over his back, and Tenzou sighed sleepily.

Mama was close, too, and sleep washed over Tenzou - cradled warm and secure against Dad’s chest - carried on the undercurrent of his parents’ low voices.

Chapter 414: First Find (lost and found)

Notes:

First time for me writing this particular soulmate AU~ I have some further thoughts with it for SakuOro outside this mini arc now also. . .

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Collecting kunai from the trunk where they’d lodged, Sakumo knocked one to the leaf litter at the tree’s base. He tucked the others away, then bent to retrieve it, and the leaves suddenly rustled and slid beneath his fingers, along with the warm softness of something alive. Sakumo stilled as a small snake flailed among the leaves and curled up on itself, waiting-

“Aa! Stay away!” the snake wailed, and Sakumo’s eyes widened. A summon.

“Hey, it’s all right.” Sakumo crouched. “I didn’t mean to surprise you. I didn’t know you were there.”

“Wasn’t!” the snake coiled up tighter.

“Then where did you come from?” Sakumo asked indulgently, amused.

“Don’t know. Summoner lost me.”

Sakumo smiled slightly. Then his breath caught. Lost. He swallowed thickly. His soulmate. He had never found- Sakumo had found nothing from his soulmate, not once; he had wondered about the meticulous person that held the match to his soul, only occasionally despondently wondering if there was a soulmate out there for him.

“May I help?” Sakumo asked, putting his hand down by the snake. The small creature hesitantly slithered over his fingers into the cup of his palm. “Who lost you?” he asked breathlessly.

The snake peeked out beneath one of their own coils. “. . .summoner.” they said pointedly. “Just said. . .”

Sakumo smiled crookedly. “So you did. I’ll help you find your summoner again.” he promised, and the snake hissed softly, tail flicking a little as they settled in the centre of his palm, easing just a little out of their tightly-coiled ball.

Chapter 415: First Loss (lost and found)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo paused a breath after he circled the thick trees blocking the training field from the path. He’d found the team - the person he was looking for. The small snake curled in his hand wriggled and hissed, and Sakumo raised his hand, though he wasn’t sure how well the creature could see.

“I believe we have found your summoner.” Sakumo said, a little breathless. Surely there was only one who could have lost a snake, and that meant that this was his. . .

Orochimaru was snappishly scolding Jiraiya, his words not quite carrying the distance - not even to Sakumo’s sharp ears - but the acidic tone quite clear. He wasn’t looking at his teammate as he spoke, however, his attention on the ground near a smaller stand of trees.

“Hello.” Sakumo called, and was immediately the focus of two of the three. He headed down the slope towards them, eyes on Orochimaru, who was still searching the undergrowth. “Orochimaru-san?”

“What is it?” Orochimaru asked sharply, straightening and turning towards him.

“I believe I’ve found your snake.” Sakumo said quietly, opening his hand a little more and holding it out.

The small snake hissed and uncoiled themself a little. “Summoner!”

Orochimaru’s eyes widened. “Rina!” He stretched out his hands. “When Jiraiya jumped me- Where were you?”

“You lost them.” Sakumo said, gently tipping his hand to let the snake slither more easily from his to Orochimaru’s.

“Yes, obviously.” Orochimaru said sharply, flicking a glare at him.

“You never lose anything.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru frowned. “More than twenty years. Not once. But you lost . . . Rina.” He nodded to the snake winding happily between Orochimaru’s fingers.

“Lost- You found her.” Orochimaru said softly, eyes fixed on Sakumo’s face. “You. . .”

Sakumo nodded hopefully, taking half a step closer, not quite able to stop himself.

Chapter 416: Good Reason (lost and found)

Chapter Text

“Found you!”

Having been lazing halfway between dreams - he remembered little, but he had a warm, contented feeling mingled with longing and there had been equally warm flashes of yellow-gold - Sakumo startled at the soft cry. He twisted and then stilled, feeling a very slender coil between his fingers.

“Ah-” Sakumo broke off, eyeing the tiny - familiar - snake winding herself around his fingers and into his palm. “Rina-chan?”

“Found you!” Rina almost sang, wriggling.

“Your summoner-” Sakumo sat bolt upright. He was in his bedroom, Orochimaru could not be here - but he could have sent Rina in to find Sakumo from the door. . . “Where is he?”

“Shi no Mori. We play there.” Rina said, which was. . .

“That’s rather far away.” Sakumo observed rather than comment on that. “How did you get here?”

“I lost myself!” Rina said proudly, and Sakumo blinked, lips twitching.

“You lost yourself? On purpose?” Sakumo guessed, and she wriggled again, hissing wordlessly, tongue flicking against Sakumo’s fingers.

“Summoner wants to see you again.” Rina said simply. “But he won’t come . . . he writes, but he’s very careful about the papers. He won’t listen to us.”

Sakumo had been unaware that snakes could possibly give the impression of pouting.

“I would very much like to see him again.” Sakumo said honestly.

Rina curled herself around his thumb. “I knew it! Knew you were good wolf. I’ll show you where. . . I think I can find it. . .”

“I have a good nose.” Sakumo said, hiding his amusement. “I can probably find him . . . if I have a good reason for him to let me close. Like returning you.”

Rina hissed happily and Sakumo tossed aside the kakebuton with his free hand, rolling to his feet.

Chapter 417: Watchful Wolf-Parents

Notes:

I intended there to be more of the Lost and Found arc, but it's not yet written; I may yet add to it later but I'm not up to it right now.

Personal note: yesterday I had to say goodbye to my fifteen and a half year old cat (Treacle) I raised from a very tiny kitten. Posting here probably won't be delayed but responses may be, and I may write some sads.

Chapter Text

Sakumo rubbed a hand back and forth over Yura’s ribs, ruffling her fur and smiling slightly as he heard her tail swish and thump against the boards behind them.

There was a scuffling sound, a splash, and a sharp yip from the garden, and Sakumo sighed, shaking his head. Yura barked, barely lifting her own.

Matsu whined apologetically at his mother and Makoto licked his ear, nuzzling closer and settling near him. Kakashi shoved companionably against them, lying his cheek atop Matsu’s head.

Sakumo glanced down at Yura, and she grinned, flicking an ear.

The quiet didn’t last long before the cubs were all up again, on four paws or two feet, scampering around the garden in a delighted, tumbling mess, pouncing on one another with little laughing yips.

Sakumo grinned, shifting a little, crossing his legs, and leaning back lazily, barely continuing to stroke his old friend as she sighed and sprawled out a little more at his side.

Chapter 418: Night Wolves

Chapter Text

Sakumo slipped away from his sleeping mate with a light brush of his hand over Orochimaru’s hip - he stirred, sighing softly, but didn’t wake, and Sakumo’s heart squeezed as it always did at the open, unconscious display of trust - rolling out of their futon and shifting shapes in one smooth movement. He climbed to his paws and padded across the bedroom, sliding the door open and padding down the hall.

He paused by his second cub’s room, tail swishing lazily as he listened to the soft sounds of Tenzou breathing, slow and deep. He continued to the guest room - or what had been a guest room, until very recently - and paused again, ears cocked.

The breathing here was quick and laboured. Sakumo gently pushed the door open just enough to allow himself inside, then paused.

The faint moonlight that shaded around the curtains lit upon Kakashi’s fur where he was curled by the futon. He lifted his head a fraction, ears perking towards Sakumo, and Sakumo sighed, chest warm and tight.

Sai was shaking, but he was burrowed against Kakashi’s slender side, one hand visible with fingers clutching tightly to a fistful of Kakashi’s thick fur. Kakashi lowered his head again, crooning and nuzzling Sai as he curled up tighter, clinging.

Sakumo backed away, leaving his eldest to it as he nuzzled Sai soothingly, and the boy began to settle, slowly. Assured the newest young member of his pack was safe and looked after, Sakumo yawned, turning to return to his mate and their bed.

Chapter 419: Not Nice

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“You’re bringing your team, yes?” Sakumo confirmed, bending to be sure there were no snakes trying to sneak around the bottom of the oven before he opened it.

“I’m bringing my disaster puppies, yes.” Kakashi said dryly.

“Along with the ditch kitten?” Sai asked, and they both turned to him. Sai blinked, looking from Sakumo to Kakashi and back. “. . .yes?”

“Ditch kitten?” Sakumo repeated delicately.

“Naruto-kun says he belongs in a ditch, you say he flails like an unweaned kitten. . .” Sai said slowly. “Is . . . is it unreasonable?”

“It’s not very nice.” Sakumo observed mildly.

Kakashi was snickering, sliding a hand over Sai’s shoulder, and he brightened a little - as much as the odd little one ever did. Sakumo smiled, turning back to the counter.

“Neither is the ditch kitten.” Sai said peaceably, and Sakumo bit back a snicker of his own.

“He is unlikely to care for the title himself.” Orochimaru observed from the doorway, and Sakumo grinned over his shoulder at his mate before putting the pan in the oven.

“Oh. I suppose that is sensible.” Sai said simply.

“How did oji-gama care for his names?” Kakashi needled in a light tone, and Sakumo grinned at the sound of his mate and cub laughing. Sai made a faintly confused noise.

“Mm, he wasn’t very nice either.” Orochimaru said dryly. “Jiraiya.” he explained to Sai, and when Sakumo turned around again, Sai was looking up at Orochimaru, submitting with something that was almost a smile to having his hair petted. “He very much earned being labelled an idiot toad, however.”

Notes:

. . .Ditch Kitten may be my nickname for Sasuke. >.>

Chapter 420: Feather Tip

Chapter Text

Orochimaru smiled slightly, not opening his eyes. “What are you doing?” he asked, low and lazy.

The ticklish caress flicked and twisted, then drew across his shoulder and the nape of his neck to dance over the back of his other shoulder.

“Wolf-heart.” Orochimaru prompted gently, and there was a soft, warm kiss on the back of his right shoulder, only a little above the base of his wing.

Sakumo didn’t answer him, still, only rumbling softly, his voice heavy with the same content warmth he was all but radiating as he tickled the tip of a shed feather over Orochimaru’s skin.

Orochimaru stretched languidly, glancing up at him - he held a silvery feather with an edge of inky black on one side; Orochimaru thought it was one of Sakumo’s own, from the edge of one of their bond patterns - then went still and let him do as he pleased.

The spiralling caresses and nonsense patterns Sakumo made with the tip of the feather made him shiver, sighing, and even twitch from time to time as he was startled, but he didn’t mind, mind wandering lazily as he enjoyed the idle caresses.

Chapter 421: Sea's Embrace (wet feathers)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Your feathers are getting wet.” Orochimaru observed, a gentle warning, even as he let his hands wander over his mate’s neck and shoulders.

Sakumo whined, rolling into him more strongly, and Orochimaru laughed. Sakumo grinned at him, tongue lolling just a little, and Orochimaru wrapped an arm around his wolf’s shoulders, settling just before the bases of his broad wings, and laughed louder.

Paws splashing through the shallows as he moved, Sakumo nuzzled Orochimaru and licked his jaw, wings flaring a little.

Orochimaru wound one broad coil around Sakumo’s slender back and hips, tugging his wolf in closer, mindful of wings and keeping them high enough that Sakumo might get sodden, but would be able to breathe. Sakumo’s tail swished right at the surface of the water as he wagged it, burrowing into Orochimaru’s embrace, soft, wet fur brushing his belly, carried by the current as the water lapped around them.

Orochimaru hummed, running his fingers through Sakumo’s feathers. The vanes clung a little to his wet fingers, and those ragged from wear - or from exposure to the seawater that was Orochimaru’s home - more so. He hissed softly, shaking his head, but Sakumo only nestled against him, mostly in the water, wings arched and dipping into the gentle waves.

Sakumo rumbled with pleasure at his touch, and Orochimaru let it go yet again, rubbing his cheek against his mate’s muzzle and jaw, closing his eyes. Sakumo was warm against him, even in the cool sea, and he was careful of his paws as he shifted his footing and tucked them up, though his dull claws could hardly have made a scrape on Orochimaru’s thick scales.

He laughed softly and squeezed Sakumo closer, preening him affectionately and burying his free hand in his mate’s fur over his spine, just where it thickened into his ruff.

Chapter 422: Devotion and Damage (wet feathers)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru rummaged through one of the baskets laced to the wall in his storeroom, finding the sealed, waterproof bundle of feathers and drawing it out. It had taken a trip rather out of his usual hunting grounds, his territory, and some wheedling - though considerably less than he’d have guessed; the depths of Dan’s open, cheerful nature were something of a continual surprise - but Orochimaru had some new ideas to work through.

He slipped out of the deepest reaches of his den and out into the tunnel system it was hidden within, then up towards the surface through the rocky walls.

He surfaced in a sheltered area, hauling himself up onto a broad, flat rock and sunning for a short time as he organised his thoughts and dried off a little. Eventually he stirred once more, coiling comfortably and opening the sealed packet of his mate’s feathers.

The last experiment had not produced much in the way of helpful results - the oils he’d mixed offering some protection, but not enough. It would, of course, be difficult to get a fully accurate idea of how it would work on shed feathers, but he could come up with something better than that before testing it on his mate himself.

Orochimaru smiled faintly. While he couldn’t help but be delighted by his mate’s open desire to be close, and Sakumo’s comfort joining him in the ocean - despite heavy sodden fur and poor condition of his feathers after subjecting them to the seawater repeatedly, not to think of the discomfort he must suffer in the process - Orochimaru fretted inwardly at the ragged, dull appearance Sakumo’s feathers had begun to take on, worsening with every day he spent in the water with Orochimaru.

Orochimaru inspected the largest feather he held, glistening subtly, and smoothed his cupped palm over it to spread the protective oil more thoroughly. Hopefully he could at least mitigate the damage to his devoted windwolf, he thought, shifting his tail, the tip trailing back into the water beneath the rock he had chosen as his workspace.

Chapter 423: Preened Protection (wet feathers)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo’s toes flexed in the sand as he stretched a little, basking in his mate’s gentle caresses and preening. He cocked his head, peering over his own shoulder and lowering one wing a little more to clear his sightline to his mate.

Orochimaru raised his head and smiled, shifting higher on strong coils and leaning close, scales brushing over Sakumo’s freshly-preened feathers. He nuzzled into Sakumo’s fur just behind his ear, then shifted fluidly, body settling beneath Sakumo’s spread wing instead.

Sakumo folded his legs, settling down alongside his mate’s body, fluffing his wings and then shifting shape to wind his arms around Orochimaru. He hummed softly, coils looping easily around and through Sakumo’s legs, holding him snugly close.

Sakumo laughed and cuddled into the embrace, kissing along Orochimaru’s jaw and nipping gently, grinning when his breath caught, gills flapping once. Squeezing his mate’s broad tail where it wound between his thighs, Sakumo smoothed a hand up Orochimaru’s back, starting from the top edge of his smooth, shining scales.

Chapter 424: Sea and Sky (wet feathers)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“What did you do to him?”

Orochimaru swept his tail lazily back and forth through the water, opening his eyes and glancing first for his mate - Sakumo was just leaping from a prominent rock, shining wings spread, splashing into the water just shy of Dan as he dove - before looking to his best friend. “I beg your pardon?” he asked, shifting a little higher on the rock and folding his arms behind his head.

“Never thought to see a wolf in the water this way.” Tsunade observed, gesturing. Dan surged back out of the water, flapping wings shedding water with ease; he was born for this.

Sakumo followed him back into the air without quite so much grace, but his wings were smooth and strong, his feathers remaining dry beneath the beading water that glittered in the sunlight. Orochimaru smiled slightly.

“Nor,” Tsunade said suspiciously, “a windwolf that not only swims like he was born for it, but taking right back to the air after. What have you done?”

“Protected my mate.” Orochimaru said simply, his heart fluttering. His mate who had refused to so much as lessen the time he spent with Orochimaru, and claimed it was better for them to be in and around the sea that was Orochimaru’s home than trying to pull him up to the mountains where Sakumo belonged. “As he refused to leave the water for long . . . so long as it is my home.”

“Wolves.” Tsunade said dryly, and Orochimaru lashed his tail, splashing her and laughing as she rolled in the water, spluttering through the switch from breathing air to using her gills. He winced as her powerful tail slammed into his, but let himself be knocked away from the rock, coils looping swiftly around his best friend as they wrestled, sinking deeper in the water, their respective mates playing in the air above.

Chapter 425: Seeking and Shielded (Wet Feathers)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru startled, slowing, as warm hands brushed his back. He twisted and found Sakumo, wings pressed tight to his back, grinning at him. Orochimaru’s brows arched, and he snagged his wolf into his embrace and rose to the surface.

Sakumo gasped when they passed up into the air, and Orochimaru hissed chidingly; he had been deep, for a creature of the air. Sakumo crooned softly in return and nuzzled his cheek, nipping gently, and Orochimaru wound him into a tighter embrace.

Sakumo stroked his hair and cupped his cheek, free hand settling on Orochimaru’s hip and sliding over his scales as they kissed. Orochimaru squeezed his body around his mate’s, smoothing one hand over Sakumo’s feathers.

They were damp, but otherwise untroubled by the sea, and Orochimaru smiled against his mate’s mouth. Sakumo nipped gently. “My lovely, brilliant mate.” he murmured, and Orochimaru laughed, nuzzling him, heart light.

Chapter 426: Knocking Late

Chapter Text

Eyes narrowed, Sakumo opened the door prepared to snarl at whoever was coming to his den so late if they didn’t have a good reason. Instead he paused, cocking his head as he took in the man on the doorstep, and then stepped aside, beckoning. “Why did you knock, cub? You know you’re home here.”

Shisui smiled as Sakumo caught him in one arm, closing the door behind him.

“I know. I just- It doesn’t matter.” Shisui shook his head, leaning into Sakumo’s side.

Sakumo hummed suspiciously, but didn’t press. He asked if Shisui had eaten - he said he had, but Sakumo shooed him into the kitchen for a snack all the same before leaving him to find his way to Kakashi while Sakumo tidied the kitchen.

Their door was open a crack when Sakumo made his way past, a broad green tail just disappearing through it into the shadowy room beyond.

Sakumo paused, looking in at Nori, who flicked his tail and headed directly for the futon. Shisui was tucked close against Kakashi’s side, the pair wound together cosily even before Nori made his way under the kakebuton with them. Sakumo smiled, closing the door - once settled there, Nori wouldn’t wish to leave again until they did.

Sakumo returned to his own sleeping mate, nudging Seikio aside to take his place in their futon once more. Orochimaru stirred lazily and Sakumo smoothed a hand up his mate’s side, nuzzling at the nape of Orochimaru’s neck.

“Mm?” Orochimaru turned towards him just as Seikio stretched, pressing up against his back, lazily wagging tail tickling behind his knee. “Wolf-heart, ah. . .” Orochimaru’s fingers slid over his hip, flexing sleepily, and Sakumo crooned as he curled close.

“Shisui is home.” Sakumo said softly, and he hummed something positive. “He’s gone to bed. Silly cub knocked.” Orochimaru laughed, and Sakumo nuzzled him. “I fed him and sent him off to Kakashi.”

“Late morning for all of us tomorrow.” Orochimaru murmured, and Sakumo sighed, nodding as he closed his eyes.

Chapter 427: Bedtime

Chapter Text

Orochimaru shivered as warm lips brushed the nape of his neck, leaning back into his mate’s arms winding around him. “I thought you were asleep.” he said softly.

“You should be asleep.” Sakumo mumbled against his skin, and Orochimaru smiled.

“Are you telling me it’s past my bedtime?” Orochimaru asked wryly, and Sakumo laughed, kissing his throat, then nipping it gently, hands smoothing over the still-subtle swell of his stomach.

“It’s been a long day.” Sakumo said as their cubling fidgeted within him, kicking out at Sakumo’s hand. “And you are doing extra work besides.” he pointed out, stroking Orochimaru’s stomach again.

Orochimaru hummed, cuddling into the embrace. “Perhaps.” he admitted, tilting his head and nuzzling into his mate. “Take me to bed?”

He caught the flash of Sakumo’s grin in his peripheral vision just before Sakumo stepped back, drawing Orochimaru with him by the arm. “Gladly, my lovely.”

Chapter 428: Domestic and Strange

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Strange to see you being all domestic.” Jiraiya observed, and Orochimaru eyed him, sharp and guarded. Jiraiya leaned forwards, putting aside his tea and grabbing Orochimaru’s arm. He was still and tense, and Jiraiya figured he had about a minute before he caught a fist to the face. “Hey. I didn’t say it was bad.”

Orochimaru arched a brow. “Am I to understand you, you, intended ‘domestic’ as a compliment?” he asked dryly.

“Well, it seems to suit you.” Jiraiya said with a shrug. “I just wouldn’t have thought so.”

“When have you ever known what suits me or not, Jiraiya?” Orochimaru asked, lips quirked at one corner.

“Ha! I suppose that’s fair.” Jiraiya admitted, and Orochimaru snorted. Jiraiya ran his thumb over the kanji showing stark in shades of deep blue on Orochimaru’s skin. Lovely. Orochimaru certainly could be, when he tried, but it was a strange thought regardless.

“It’s strange to see you being,” Jiraiya gestured, “domestic, but it’s good to see you happy, Orochi.”

“I have not precisely had much opportunity to be . . . domestic, with no family of my own, have I?” Orochimaru said as Jiraiya released his arm, and Jiraiya hummed.

“I’m glad Hatake can give you that, too, then.” Jiraiya said, voice low, and Orochimaru flashed him a rare smile with no sharp edge to it.

Notes:

The lovely on Orochimaru's wrist would be a soulmark; in this world, the name-on-wrist mark is what one's soulmate calls one most often.

Chapter 429: Wolf and Wariness

Notes:

Not quite a followup to yesterday's, but something of the same spirit, at least - and definitely the same AU.

Chapter Text

“Oi! Hatake!”

Sakumo blocked a blow from the kunoichi he was sparring with - Tsunade hummed, eyeing the woman and trying to place her, but couldn’t - then signalled a halt, turning towards Tsunade.

“Tsunade-san?” Sakumo asked as he approached, rubbing the back of his wrist across his brow, pushing his fringe out of the way.

Tsunade’s eyes lingered on the pair of deep violet kanji, their elegant strokes half entwined, on Sakumo’s inner wrist, shown off by the gesture. He was certainly not wearing a wrap to hide them.

Wolf-heart. Tsunade tried to picture her best friend voicing the words, tried to imagine it as a petname, and frowned slightly.

“What can I do for you?” Sakumo asked, leaning against the fence between them and meeting Tsunade’s gaze easily.

“I want to talk to you.” Tsunade said firmly, eyes narrowed.

Chapter 430: Comfort from a Wolf Cushion

Chapter Text

Orochimaru stirred as he heard the soft padding of paws on grass, heart light. He knew it wasn’t his mate, but for that half a moment he had forgotten. He turned his head and Daiji wagged his tail as their eyes met, approaching with his head low and ears pricked forwards.

Orochimaru sighed, sitting up. He put out a hand in welcome and Daiji nosed at his palm, then moved closer, sliding along his arm and then moving back, fur brushing Orochimaru’s shoulder. He folded his legs, settling behind Orochimaru, and his throat tightened, but he sank down slowly.

Daiji whined softly as Orochimaru came to rest on him, wagging his tail a few times, swishing over the grass. He was solid and warm beneath Orochimaru’s shoulders, and as they settled together he tipped his own head to rest across Orochimaru’s upper arm. Orochimaru reached up with his free hand and stroked Daiji’s flank idly.

“Summoner will return soon.” Daiji said, and Orochimaru smiled faintly. Perhaps. Hopefully. Daiji wriggled a bit, nudging his muzzle close against Orochimaru’s neck. He returned his gaze to the stars spread across the night sky, curling his fingers into Daiji’s soft fur.

Chapter 431: Shaking Hands

Chapter Text

“Are you sure you’re all right to handle this, Oro-mama?”

Stopping with his hands over the shallow glass dish, Orochimaru lifted his head to look at Shisui. He smiled slightly and reached out, fingertips brushing over the back of Orochimaru’s left hand - it was trembling slightly - before clasping it gently.

“I will be fine.” Orochimaru said, squeezing Shisui’s hand. “It needs doing, and if I do not. . .”

Shisui nodded and both of them glanced towards the closed door; the house was quiet, but they knew Tenzou lay in a feverish daze not far on the other side of it, Sakumo hovering over him and Kakashi out hunting for any traces left by the nin he’d fought that others might have missed.

“Is there anything I can do?” Shisui asked helplessly. He was far from being as comfortable with poisons as Orochimaru was, and he was no iryou nin either, but this was his family, had been since he’d lost his heart to Kakashi’s hands; Tenzou might as well be his own brother, and it ached to do nothing but watch as he struggled.

Orochimaru gave him a sympathetic look and Shisui suspected the task he was asked to do might be more to keep his own shaking hands busy than anything, but he took it gladly.

Chapter 432: From Iwa

Chapter Text

His work squared away as quickly as might be, Orochimaru opened the door and leaned out of his lab. With the muffling effect of the door removed, the loud sounds of his children which had drawn his attention were louder still.

One in particular, but that was no surprise.

“Aniki! Aniki, did you?” Deidara shouted gleefully. “You were in Tsuchi no Kuni, I know you were!”

Lips twitching, Orochimaru made his way out into the main room. “What has our little one so excitable?” he asked, knuckles brushing Sakumo’s hip. Not that Deidara being excitable was any more unusual than him being the loudest of their family.

He was jumping on Kakashi, who caught him after several more leaps, going down under Deidara’s ‘assault’, laughing and cushioning his brother from the impact when they hit the floor.

Sakumo nudged against him lightly. “Kakashi returned from his mission near Iwa, and Deidara-”

“Did you bring me a jutsu?” Deidara demanded, tugging at Kakashi’s flak vest.

Orochimaru smiled fondly. “Is rather eager?” he filled in as Kakashi teased, then promised he had indeed acquired a new jutsu to teach Deidara.

Chapter 433: Bait and Barrier-Breaking

Chapter Text

“You know,” Jiraiya said, dropping down behind the makeshift shelter of a doton ridge, breathing a little ragged in his throat, “I am getting a little tired of playing target. Have you figured out how to bypass the barrier yet?”

“But you’re so good at it.” Orochimaru teased, smirking, and Jiraiya flicked a wing to cuff him lightly only to run into Tsunade’s own broad, steady wing interposed between them. “Did you get close enough-”

“Got it.” Jiraiya leaned in and added the last of the sealwork he had gotten a look at - courtesy of Sakumo drawing fire back off him when he got close enough, and one of the reasons he had been playing bait; he knew fuinjutsu and could read it quickly - to the model they were working on. Tsunade clapped them both on the shoulders.

“You two work that out, I’m going to go give them something else to think about before your wolf gets creamed, Oro.” Tsunade said wryly, and a moment later she was gone, leaping out over the doton-formed ridge with wings spread.

Orochimaru lifted his head and glanced across the open field, but his eyes were fixed on the place where their enemies had dug in, bypassing his mate and teammate without a second glance.

“Do you think this will break the barrier they erected?” Orochimaru asked as he ducked down again, sleek wings resettling along his back, fingers trailing just over the model.

Jiraiya hummed, leaning in closer and adjusting a few things, muttering about the sealwork as Orochimaru nodded and hissed with irritation. They were both, he suspected, perilously aware of the risk in every moment they spent planning rather than attacking, but the next assault needed to break through. The others could hold out a little longer out there, but they had to make this work.

Chapter 434: Hostage

Chapter Text

Got you, you little brat!”

Deidara thrashed as he was hauled up by his ponytail, jaw tilting up with an angry screech as the point of a kunai scraped over his chin.

A deep snarl made the hands holding him twitch, and Deidara gave his own best growl as he kicked out again. Dad was stalking closer on quick, silent paws, teeth bared.

He didn’t make it to Deidara before the man holding him collapsed, strong hands catching Deidara around the waist and scooping him up before he could fall as well.

Deidara turned towards the steady presence and wrapped his arms around Mama in turn, glancing back at the enemy nin twitching on the ground, blood rushing from the pair of punctures in his shoulder near his neck.

“Serves you right!” Deidara spat, scowling, and tossed his head as Mama ran a hand through his hair and down his neck. “I’m fine.” He pouted.

Dad shifted as he reached them, warm hands clasping Deidara’s shoulder and smoothing over his back. “Let us be sure.” Dad said gently, voice still low and fierce, and Deidara sighed, submitting to being checked over for injuries as the enemy nin at their feet slowly went still and the blood, already saturating the ground beneath him, stopped flowing.

Chapter 435: Bothering

Chapter Text

“Minato-kun! You shouldn’t be- be bothering the Snake Sannin!” Tekouro said, voice low.

“Kami, you can be such a ditz, who knows what could happen to you hanging around here!” Gintaka shook his head, catching Minato around the arm and pulling at him.

“What?” Minato frowned and pulled away, and Tekouro caught his other arm. “Hey, I’m fine here. I’m not going to bother Orochi-sen- Orochimaru-sama. And nothing’s going to happen to me, kami. Why were you looking for me?” he added curiously, because their sensei was out of the village - or something; sometimes it wasn’t the clearest where Jiraiya-sensei got off to on the days he wasn’t teaching them - and they had no training planned.

“Looking out for our teammate, apparently.” Tekouro chided gently, tugging rather more gently but still pulling him away from the gate. “Come on, we can-”

“Minato-kun. You’re late.”

Minato’s friends stilled and he looked up with a sheepish smile. “Sorry, Sakumo-san.” he offered, and tugged again at his trapped arms.

Tekouro let go immediately; Gintaka took a moment longer and another, more pointed, yank from Minato before he jerked back.

“It’s not a problem.” Sakumo said warmly, reaching out as Minato approached, hand sliding over his shoulder. “Orochimaru is waiting for you, but I think there’s time for you to join us for breakfast before anything else.” He nudged Minato on ahead of himself.

“Oh! You don’t need to-”

“You’ll share breakfast with us,” Sakumo said firmly, “and then I’ll take Kakashi with me for the morning, and you and Orochimaru can get to work for a bit.”

“Thank you, Sakumo-san.” Minato said, relaxing a little. He glanced back and smothered a laugh as he saw his teammates staring blankly after him.

Chapter 436: Sodden and Shocking

Chapter Text

Jiraiya groaned, swiping his sodden hair out of his eyes again, shoving it back. It had been pouring miserably for what felt like an eternity, and he was dearly looking forward to reporting in and getting home and dry. He didn’t even care to head to a bar tonight, he would be happy enough to be out of the cursed rain.

“Mama!”

Surprised, Jiraiya stopped at the cry, warbling and strange through the heavy rain. It couldn’t have come from far away, and it half sounded familiar. The tone was muddled by the rain and Jiraiya couldn’t tell if it was distressed or not, but surely no one would be out in this mess willingly.

Jiraiya slowly shook it off and started walking again, then immediately paused as a bright splotch came into view. He turned and a small blur resolved into a familiar small figure, Kakashi’s bright hair heavily wet and streaked with mud but still a wild mess. He howled as he was suddenly snatched off his feet, and Jiraiya shook his head at himself - he hadn’t seen Orochimaru until he lunged, either.

“Orochi?” Jiraiya called, slogging closer through the mud as Orochimaru and Kakashi practically rolled in it.

Orochimaru raised his head and Jiraiya couldn’t help but stare. He’d seen Orochimaru in all manner of messes, of course - and generally very displeased with the world when he was in such a state - and been the cause of no few of them. He couldn’t be sure whether he’d seen Orochimaru this dirty before or not - he’d certainly never seen Orochimaru this dirty and wrecked and smiling.

“Jiraiya. You’re back.” Rising to his feet, Orochimaru shifted Kakashi into the crook of his left arm and swiped some of his hair out of his face. A muddy swirl was left across his cheek and almost up into his eye, and one of the stripes on his face was already almost hidden under more mud. “Welcome.”

“Hello Oji-gama!” Kakashi waved with one hand, the other curled into Orochimaru’s shirt.

“What are you doing out here?” Jiraiya asked, gesturing vaguely.

“Playing!” Kakashi all but crowed, and his brows rose.

Orochimaru laughed, a warm smile lingering on his face even as he kissed Kakashi’s brow. “Yes. It will be dinnertime soon, though, we should head home.” He glanced at Jiraiya. “Just in?” he asked, and Jiraiya nodded, shuddering as another cold trickle of water coursed down his neck and back. He wouldn’t have thought it would still bother him at this point - he could hardly have gotten any wetter - but it sent a shudder down his spine. “You’re welcome to join us this evening once you check in.”

Jiraiya eyed them, but accepted willingly. The Hatake house was spacious and warm compared to his apartment, which would also, after weeks of absence, present few options for dinner; he would be more than happy to share theirs instead.

Chapter 437: Too Much Help

Chapter Text

“I’m going to make tea before dinner, would you like-”

“I’ll do that, you can sit down.” Sakumo said cheerfully, kissing his cheek and taking the kettle from Orochimaru as he passed into the kitchen.

Orochimaru sighed, leaning against the doorframe and watching his mate.

“What would you like for dinner, lovely?” Sakumo asked from the sink.

“I was thinking I would grill fish to go with vegetable miso and rice.” Orochimaru said, resting a hand on his stomach.

“I can do that!” Sakumo offered, grinning.

Orochimaru raised his hand to rub his temple. “Sakumo. Mate. Wolf-heart.” he said patiently as Sakumo turned fully towards him. “If you do not let me do something for myself I am going to scream.”

Sakumo frowned, crossing the kitchen hurriedly. “Lovely?”

“I’m not injured, I’m not weak,” Orochimaru clasped his forearm and smiled thinly, “it is not nearly close enough to time for our hatchlingcub to be born for me to need to curtail my activities much. I know you love us and you’re only trying to help,” he said, cupping Sakumo’s jaw, “but if you don’t stop doing everything, I simply-” He broke off, drawing a deep breath and closing his eyes.

He was startled by a soft kiss, and opened his eyes to meet Sakumo’s, very close.

“I am sorry, mate.” Sakumo said quietly, and smiled, nudging their noses together. “I will try not to hover so much.”

Orochimaru relaxed a little, sliding an arm around his shoulders and drawing him in closer still. “I do appreciate you.” he said honestly, not quite apologetic, and Sakumo rumbled affectionately.

“You’re a very independent person, lovely, I know that.” Sakumo nipped his jaw gently, then kissed him again.

Chapter 438: Opposing Patrols

Chapter Text

Ikkaku knelt - more a collapse than an intentional movement - beside the still, sprawled figure of his nearest teammate. He reached out, but he didn’t expect-

There was no pulse beneath the raw flesh of his neck. Ikkaku grimaced and tugged open his flak vest, hand resting over his heart. Still and silent. Ikkaku drew back, half falling on his ass, and winced again, biting back a cry of pain.

“Umino?”

Ikkaku jumped, reaching for a kunai as he twisted to look up at the man who had spoken. White hair. Geometric red pattern on his sleeve. Familiar symbol on the other sleeve.

“Hatake-sama.” Ikkaku said, relaxing slightly. Then he tensed again as he remembered- His eyes ticked up. Hatake wore a hitai-ate wound just beneath his wild fringe, as he always had, but the symbol etched into it was not the leaf of Konohagakure. It was a slender musical note. It was a symbol Ikkaku had never seen. “What . . . are you doing here?”

“Apparently stumbling over lost Konoha patrols.” Hatake said, lips twitching. “It doesn’t seem to have gone so well for you.”

“We weren’t patrolling.” Ikkaku said, then broke off abruptly; Hatake was not his superior any longer, he was a missing nin - had simply . . . disappeared, several years ago. Ikkaku did not owe him answers, and no doubt should hold his tongue. He looked around at the dead nin in the clearing; two of them his teammates, four made up a squad of Suna nin. “I’m still standing.” he said bluntly, though the moment the words were out he wondered if he could, in fact, stand.

“So it seems.” Hatake said, and took a step forwards.

Ikkaku raised his kunai, bracing himself, eyes narrowing. Missing nin. Ikkaku couldn’t trust him.

Hatake snorted and moved closer, twisting the kunai out of Ikkaku’s hand before he could react, then hauled him to his feet. “If I wanted you dead you’d be dead; if I wanted you captured you could hardly free yourself. Relax. I’m only going to drop you where an actual patrol will find you.”

Ikkaku twisted in Hatake’s grasp, reaching for his pouch, and Hatake shook him. “Or I can leave you here to make your own way back, if you can.”

Chapter 439: Frought Bathtime

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Stop that. No, leave me alone, I am trying to take a bath.”

Orochimaru’s brows arched as he passed the bathing room, and he looked down at his son, mostly asleep against his chest. He rocked Kakashi as Sakumo’s voice was followed by quiet splashing.

“There is not room, stop pouting.” Sakumo said firmly, and Orochimaru shook his head, continuing his pacing up and down the hall.

Kakashi was soon fully asleep, and Orochimaru carried him into the bedroom, vaguely aware of Sakumo’s voice accompanying more quiet splashes from the bathing room. Orochimaru settled Kakashi carefully in their futon before drawing carefully away with a light caress to his cheek. Orochimaru stretched, then retrieved his hair brush and settled beside the futon.

Sakumo slipped into the bedroom just as Orochimaru was tying off his braid, and he tipped his head up for a kiss from his mate. Sakumo rumbled and gave it, along with an affectionate nuzzle.

“Your bath sounded unusually difficult.” Orochimaru observed, and Sakumo huffed, folding himself down onto the futon.

“Hiro is basking in the bath now.” Sakumo said, not quite pouting. Orochimaru stifled a laugh. “I only managed to keep him from shoving his way in while I was bathing by promising I wouldn’t drain it and he could have it after.”

Orochimaru couldn’t quite hold back his laugh any longer, particularly when he pictured Hiro trying to push his way into the bath with Sakumo. It would certainly not work so well as Hiro might think, given the relative sizes of both the bath and Hiro and Sakumo.

Sakumo gave Orochimaru an injured look and settled on his side, curling around their cub, fingers brushing up over Kakashi’s chest.

Notes:

Hiro, I promise you, the bath may be quite big, but there is not comfortable room for Sakumo and thirty plus feet of very thick snake in it. >.>

(I believe Hiro first - and last - appeared in the Swimming Lessons arc.)

Chapter 440: Request

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo froze, his heart beating hard, and shoved down at the surge of pleasure and roaring instincts.

Soft lips brushed the underside of his jaw again, and Sakumo couldn’t quite hold back a whine, winding an arm around Orochimaru and fighting not to drag him in too fiercely. He met brilliant golden eyes and stroked Orochimaru’s cheek as he made a soft thoughtful sound.

“Sakumo.” Orochimaru said, voice low, and Sakumo nodded, not trusting his voice yet. “I am a very thorough person.”

Sakumo frowned, but nodded. He knew that.

“I know you are a wolf,” Orochimaru said, fingers combing through his hair, arms settling around his shoulders, “and I know what that means. I know what I mean.”

Sakumo’s breath caught, eyes widening. Orochimaru smiled, then very deliberately dipped his head and pressed a soft kiss to Sakumo’s jaw once more, followed by a trail of gentle brushes higher up towards his neck.

Sakumo shuddered. “And what do you mean to ask of me?” he asked. Were it in his power to grant, he would give Orochimaru anything he wished, however he asked; to be asked in this way. . .

“You.” Orochimaru said with a brush of lips to his ear. “My mate.”

Sakumo growled and pulled him in closer, and Orochimaru moved with him easily, shivering and giving a soft moan. His eyes were bright and heavy-lidded, and he bowed with the pressure of Sakumo's embrace as Sakumo kissed him fiercely, arms tightening around Sakumo’s shoulders.

Notes:

A lick/bite/nuzzle to the underside of the muzzle is a request, in wolf body language. >.>

Chapter 441: Springs and First Sights

Chapter Text

Sakumo paced lightly through the undergrowth, nose to the ground, huffing as he followed the familiar scent. Oh, who knows, he just wandered off indeed. Sakumo’s lip curled. Not that he had expected terribly much better from Jiraiya, but one’s teammates should be more of a priority.

Sakumo shook himself and continued on. He was mostly assured that his- that Orochimaru was well, but it had worried him when their groups rejoined and he had noticed his intended mate was nowhere among them.

Nose twitching with the rich mineral scent in the air, knowing there must be an onsen nearby, Sakumo pushed through a thick fern and then froze.

Familiar pale, broad shoulders - though he’d never seen so much of them before - peeked from the water of a small pool, and the slender neck he found forever so tempting was bared, Orochimaru’s silky hair wound up into a knot. Sakumo edged forwards in careful steps, although when Orochimaru turned to look at him he realised he could have left immediately - he had assured himself of Orochimaru’s location and condition.

Orochimaru smiled, though, rather than look displeased. He raised a hand and crooked his fingers. “Join me, wolf?” he asked, and Sakumo’s eyes widened. He sat back, shifting back into his human shape as he moved, and Orochimaru’s smile widened.

Sakumo swallowed. “Orochimaru?” he questioned, and Orochimaru laughed, beckoning once more, even as he turned away, leaning back against the edge of the onsen.

Sakumo was hardly loath to take up the invitation, and shed his gear hurriedly before making his way to the water. A shiver ran up his spine as he saw golden eyes inspecting him, and he moved a little slower. Orochimaru’s lips curled with a slow smile.

Chapter 442: Lavish

Chapter Text

Sakumo nuzzled his mate’s belly, rumbling softly, and Orochimaru all but whined, but went still once more. Sakumo smiled, nipping at the crest of Orochimaru’s hip as he passed and laughing low as his mate twitched.

He pressed his nose to Orochimaru’s skin, taking in the spicy scent of him, thicker here, richer with his arousal. Sakumo groaned, feeling it thick in his nose, on his tongue, and buried his nose at the base of Orochimaru’s cock, which jerked as his muscles tensed.

Sakumo lifted his head, dragging his tongue up the length of his mate’s cock, and Orochimaru groaned, thighs spreading a little more, fingers curling into their bedding. Sakumo settled happily into the space and bent his attention to pleasing his mate, eyes half-closed as he savoured Orochimaru’s reactions under his tongue, the soft sounds of pleasure, the shuddering of restrained arches.

He cupped a palm over Orochimaru’s hip, more to feel him than to keep him still, and took his mate more fully into his mouth with a low rumble and a careful shift to keep his fangs away from tender flesh.

Orochimaru moaned, one of his long legs pressing against Sakumo’s side as he shifted a little, not quite pushing up into Sakumo’s mouth. He had no intention to deny his mate anything, however, letting Orochimaru’s cock push over his tongue and stroking his mate’s thigh encouragingly as he moved.

Chapter 443: Back for a Break

Chapter Text

Shisui yawned as he made his way to the door, rubbing a hand through his hair. “Hello- Oh! Hokage-sama!”

Shisui’s eyes widened as he scrambled to hold Kakashi’s robe a little more tightly around himself and bow and open the door wider all at the same time. “Hokage-sama, ah, what can-”

“Nikkou!” A warm hand smoothed over Shisui’s shoulder, squeezing gently and then nudging him out of the way.

The Yondaime relaxed a little, shoulders easing as he stepped forwards. Sakumo drew him into a tight embrace, in through the door as he leaned close. Shisui hurriedly closed the door, though he couldn’t quite look away.

Sakumo rubbed Minato’s back, nuzzling him affectionately - the same way he hugged Shisui himself, or Kakashi - and Shisui blinked.

“Welcome home, Mina-kun.” Orochimaru murmured from behind Sakumo, and Minato raised his head, looking around. Orochimaru brushed past Shisui and trailed a hand down Minato’s back.

“It’s . . . good to be back here.” Minato said, slightly muffled in Sakumo’s shoulder. “I. . .”

“Need a break?” Orochimaru suggested gently, squeezing Minato’s shoulder, and he glanced around at Shisui, beginning to tense again.

Shisui languidly yawned again - a fake this time, but lazy enough - then took a step back. “I’m going to get back to Kakashi, unless you need anything. . .”

Sakumo smiled at him, nodding shallowly, and Shisui turned away, leaving his lover’s parents all but cuddling his Hokage just inside the door and biting back his curiosity.

Chapter 444: Early Night

Chapter Text

Orochimaru looked over and smiled slightly as he realised his bright little student was fading fast. It was late and it had been a long day, from a genin’s perspective. Minato jerked upright again and Orochimaru rested a hand on his shoulder, sliding to squeeze the nape of his neck gently. “Relax.” he soothed, taking the pencil and notepad away from Minato and leaving him with the book in his lap.

Minato relaxed a little, sighing, and nodded sleepily, though he attempted to focus on the book. Orochimaru glanced at his mate, sitting on the floor nearby with one of Kakashi’s shirts in his hands, letting out the hem. Sakumo arched an eyebrow and tilted his head towards Minato, and Orochimaru sighed, nodding.

There was no one waiting for Minato at home and no one else ever seemed to bother checking on him. He would probably do better kept with them regardless. Orochimaru was quiet as he kept reading, more of his attention on the boy beside him on the couch.

It wasn’t long before Minato began sagging down once more, and Orochimaru deftly scooped the book from his lax fingers just it began to slide away. Minato leaned against the arm of the couch, eyes closed and hair ruffled across his face, breathing slow.

Orochimaru waited a while longer, letting Minato settle deeper into sleep despite his awkward positioning, then rose, putting both his own book and Minato’s aside and shifting the boy into a more comfortable position. He snagged the fur-lined blanket from the opposite arm of the couch and drew it over Minato, resting a hand on his bright hair for a moment.

Minato sighed, snuggling into the warmth, and Orochimaru smiled fondly. A warm hand slid over his back, and he straightened, turning to look at his mate. Sakumo kissed him lightly. “Both the cubs are asleep,” he said, voice low, “shall we have an early night as well, lovely?”

Orochimaru hummed, smile growing, and curled his fingers into Sakumo’s waistband. “I think that sounds like a wonderful plan.” he agreed, tugging Sakumo closer against himself.

Chapter 445: Soothing, Shameless

Chapter Text

Sakumo groaned as he sank into the onsen, aching all the way through from tense and overworked muscles down to the bone. It had been a long month of missions and he was desperately grateful to be back in Konoha; he only hoped he had time to rest in his own den for a while before being sent back out to the front lines.

“Sakumo.” Orochimaru called, and Sakumo jerked, lifting his head and looking to his mate; Orochimaru hadn’t caught up with them yet when they reached the onsen, and Sakumo was so weary that he had paid little attention to his surroundings once settled in the water, knowing he was in safe territory.

“Come here, love.” Orochimaru beckoned across the pool, and Sakumo moved to him eagerly. They weren’t alone, but Sakumo had no shame sinking against his mate and allowing himself to be held, clinging just a little in return as he rested his head on Orochimaru’s shoulder.

Orochimaru hummed and murmured soothingly, stroking his back and squeezing his shoulder, cheek brushing his brow. Sakumo sighed, sagging in his mate’s embrace and tuning out everything beyond the faint lapping sound of the water around them and his mate’s warm, soft voice.

Chapter 446: Settled, Soothing

Chapter Text

The tension in Orochimaru’s sore muscles that had begun to loosen from the hot water eased further as Sakumo relaxed in his arms, warm and solid and trusting. Orochimaru drew his fingers up and down Sakumo’s back, then let them splay between his shoulder blades, just feeling him breathe.

Sakumo sighed, nuzzling into his neck, then resting against his collarbone. Orochimaru could hear the low murmur of voices over the ripple of the water - comrades, people he’d been fighting alongside at the front lines for weeks - but he paid little attention save to be aware they were nearby, wrapped up in his mate’s presence.

Orochimaru closed his eyes, resting against the side of the onsen, feeling Sakumo shift alongside him, strong thigh dragging over his own. He smiled, fingers curling slightly against his mate’s back.

Sakumo nuzzled closer with a soft rumble that thrummed through Orochimaru’s neck and upper chest, familiar and comforting. He was so tired, worn; it made him want to sleep, now he was somewhere calm with his mate, even though they weren’t alone.

Chapter 447: On the Engawa (sleeping sunshine)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Oro-san.”

Orochimaru shifted as a cool nose brushed his shoulder, shivering. “Mm?”

He could hear the wolf speaking to Sakumo now, and opened his eyes, turning over.

“. . .now?” Sakumo asked, and Orochimaru rubbed his face.

“What is it?”

“Nikkou.” Sakumo said, brushing a hand over his side. “Apparently he’s . . . asleep on the engawa.”

Orochimaru sat up abruptly. “What? Why?” he asked reflexively, throwing the kakebuton off and reaching for his yukata. He paused, brushing a hand over Kakashi’s hair and down his cheek, and Nori, coiled safely around Kakashi, lifted his head. Orochimaru shook his head. “It’s all right. Stay here.”

“We’ll find out.” Sakumo said, scowling, as Orochimaru rose. He caught Orochimaru’s hand and kissed it lightly.

Orochimaru frowned as they made their way through the house. Minato had an apartment, there was no reason he should be on their engawa in the middle of the night. Let alone sleeping there.

Chapter 448: Not a Bother (sleeping sunshine)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo growled softly as he opened the door, stepping out to find Minato curled up on his side not far from the door, one arm folded under his head.

Orochimaru brushed a hand over his back, stepping out past him and moving around to Minato’s other side. He knelt.

“Nikkou,” Sakumo called, voice gentle, “wake up.”

“Hello little one.” Orochimaru said as Minato woke with a trembling jerk. “Easy.”

“It’s all right.” Sakumo soothed, resting a hand on his shoulder.

“What are you doing here?” Orochimaru asked as Minato scrambled to sit up. “Why didn’t you wake us?”

“I didn’t want to- erm, to bother you.” Minato said in a small voice, ducking his head. “I just- I didn’t really . . . know where to go.”

Orochimaru bit back an angry hiss and stroked Minato’s hair, brushing it out of his face. “Why is that?”

“Ah. . . Jiraiya-sensei, he- He has my wallet and my keys were . . . in it. I can’t deactivate the trap on my door, or my window, without my keys or proper fuinjutsu paper.” Minato said, pulling his knees up to his chest.

Orochimaru’s upper jaw itched with the flaring urge to bite.

“You wouldn’t be bothering us.” Sakumo said, his syllables just a little clipped. “Come inside, nikkou. Your room is ready, I’ll just roll out the futon for you.”

Minato sniffed, bright eyes wide.

“Bother us any time you need to, little one.” Orochimaru said, shifting closer and wrapping an arm around Minato, kissing the top of his head reflexively. Minato sniffed again and shivered, then leaned into him, small and warm. “You are always welcome here.”

Chapter 449: Security and Sweet Dreams (sleeping sunshine)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Come along, little one.” Orochi-sensei said as Minato stepped out of the bathroom, now wearing a soft yukata, his own clothes in his arms. The yukata was his size, and it didn’t feel old. He looked up as Orochi-sensei wrapped an arm around him, leaning distractedly into Orochi-sensei’s warm side.

Orochi-sensei tugged him along, back to the door of the spare room - the room they called his. Sakumo-sensei was kneeling by the futon he must have just laid out inside, and he looked up with a smile, beckoning. Minato went, yawning despite himself.

“Go on, nikkou.” Sakumo-sensei nudged him gently, and Minato let himself be shooed into the futon, lying down and squirming a little in the comfortable bed. “Get some proper sleep.”

“Thank you.” Minato said sleepily, and Sakumo-sensei drew the kakebuton up a little more over him. Tucking him in. Minato ducked his chin, biting his lip. No one else ever had, not that he remembered; not like this. Only Sakumo-sensei and Orochi-sensei.

“Oyasumi.” Sakumo-sensei said, echoed by Orochi-sensei from just inside the door, and then they left him, warm and comfortable in the quiet of a room they called his. Minato sighed, snuggling deeper into the futon and curling his fingers into the kakebuton.

Chapter 450: Quiet Morning (sleeping sunshine)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Minato tugged at the obi he wore, wondering if maybe he should have changed out of the soft yukata and back into his own clothes, but padded into the kitchen. “Ohayou.” he said softly, looking between Sakumo-sensei at the stove and Orochi-sensei at the table, both with their backs to the door.

“Ohayou, nikkou!” Sakumo-sensei greeted, turning towards him. “Breakfast will be ready soon. Are you sure you’ve gotten enough sleep?”

Minato yawned, rubbing his face. “I’m all right.” He nodded.

“Ohayou.” Orochi-sensei said, voice soft, and nodded towards one of the other chairs. He was cradling Kakashi in his arms and the baby was nursing quietly, fingers flexing in the open edge of Orochi-sensei’s yukata.

Minato smiled a little, dropping into the chair beside Orochi-sensei, just shy of Kakashi’s wiggling feet.

“Did you sleep well?” Orochi-sensei asked, rocking Kakashi slowly.

Minato thought about the loud, smoky, awful night, and then wandering Konoha - getting home to his apartment and then realising he couldn’t get in, wandering back out down the streets. . . Eventually his feet had led him to the Hatake compound, and while he hadn’t wanted to bother them - wake them up - he hadn’t known where else to go, and it was quiet. . .

And then they’d woken him and brought him inside, put him to bed.

“Yes. Thank you, Orochi-sensei.” Minato said, and grinned, surprised, as Orochi-sensei brushed a hand over his hair.

“Good.” Sakumo-sensei said, putting a bowl and plate down in front of Minato and squeezing his shoulder. “You can come here any night you wish, nikkou, you know that, right?”

Chapter 451: Prevented Departure (sleeping sunshine)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Your keys, nikkou.” Sakumo-sensei said, voice low, and kissed Minato’s brow as he accepted the little bundle of his belongings, eyes wide. Minato looked up at him, and Sakumo-sensei smiled and ruffled his hair. “Eat your breakfast.”

“Thank you!” Minato said hurriedly, and Orochi-sensei brushed a hand over his arm. He ducked his head, looking around at Orochi-sensei, then let himself be nudged into turning his attention to the food Sakumo-sensei had put before him, his keys and wallet - lighter; he suspected it was mostly empty now, but at least he had it back - beside him on the table.

Minato enjoyed the quiet breakfast, biting his lip but sharing what he’d been working on - studying - on his own when they prompted him to, excited to hear Orochi-sensei’s opinion. He was a little reluctant to leave, after, but. . .

“Nikkou,” Sakumo-sensei said, catching him by the shoulder just at the front door, Kakashi cradled in his other arm, “you are welcome to come back tonight - any night, or day - and . . . you know you don’t need to leave, don’t you?”

Minato leaned into him, wanting. . . “I should- Sensei.” He gestured vaguely.

“Your sensei is unlikely to emerge from his . . . gutter today.” Orochi-sensei posited. “Don’t you think?”

Minato hesitated. That was . . . probably true.

“You could stay here today,” Sakumo-sensei suggested, smiling, “and perhaps work on that project of yours with Orochimaru?”

“I would be pleased to help.” Orochi-sensei added before Minato could answer, and he turned, eyes wide. Orochi-sensei smiled encouragingly.

Minato stepped away from the door. “Really?” he asked, though neither Orochi-sensei nor Sakumo-sensei had ever said anything to him and not meant it.

“Certainly.” Orochi-sensei beckoned.

“I’ll take Kakashi with me this morning,” Sakumo-sensei said as Orochi-sensei gestured for Minato to come back to him, “we’ll be back before lunch.” They exchanged a kiss as Minato edged a little further away, and then Orochi-sensei bent to kiss Kakashi’s head as well. “Have fun, lovely, nikkou.”

Chapter 452: Sunshine Safely to Sleep (sleeping sunshine)

Chapter Text

Minato yawned, vision going a little blurry as his eyes watered. He rubbed them and tried to focus, his thoughts drifting.

“Here. Nikkou. Up you get.” Sakumo-sensei said, voice sounding very far away for a few moments. Minato realised he had been falling asleep.

“Oh.” Minato scrubbed one hand across his face again. “Erm. . .”

“We’ll leave these for tomorrow,” Orochi-sensei stacked their papers and books together and rose, “come along; bath and bed, little one. Don’t fall asleep in the bath.” he added.

Minato nodded obediently, yawning again as he let himself be shooed off down the corridor towards the bathing room as Orochi-sensei stepped into his workroom.

Half an hour later Orochi-sensei was guiding him into the guest room, and Minato settled into the futon - already laid out for him, again - with a happy sigh. Orochi-sensei stroked his cheek, then drew the kakebuton up over him.

“Sleep well, little one.” Orochi-sensei said quietly, and Minato smiled.

“You too, Orochi-sensei. Oyasumi . . . and thank you.” Minato said, fingers curling into the kakebuton.

Orochi-sensei brushed a hand over his brow, then rose. “Oyasumi.”

Chapter 453: Friendly Reminder

Chapter Text

Jiraiya examined Sakumo where he lounged in one of the carved seats across the onsen. He didn’t look terribly intimidated.

Sakumo met his gaze steadily, and Jiraiya gave his best stern look. Not that he was really that worried that Sakumo had needed his warning. . .

“Did you get this?” Sakumo asked, cocking his head and eyeing Dan, who had been ignoring them, lying on the stone paving just out of the water, cooling off.

Dan shrugged without sitting up, a smile tugging at his lips. “No.”

Sakumo gave him a dubious look, then turned his attention back to Jiraiya. He raised his eyebrows. “Why is that?”

Jiraiya snorted, grinning. “Orochi is no less likely to take care of himself than Hime, but she would pulverise me for trying to give a protective speech.” he admitted.

“And Orochimaru will not?” Dan inquired, propping himself up on one elbow and giving them both a curious look.

“If he finds out, Orochi will roll his eyes and tell me off.” Jiraiya said wryly. “But I’m unlikely to get bitten.”

Sakumo bit back a laugh.

“Hey, like I said,” Jiraiya shrugged, “Orochi doesn’t need my help, if you need putting in your place . . . but he’s got it.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” Sakumo said, but he looked more pleased than anything.

Chapter 454: Bedtime Story

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Are you cosy?”

Sakumo hummed and grinned at his mother, snuggling a little closer to Orochimaru, tucked up beside him. Orochimaru giggled and let him cling, sighing. “Yes, Hatake-sama.”

Mom made a soft chiding sound but didn’t remind him again that he could call her less formally. Sakumo squeezed him tighter.

Orochimaru gave a little laugh and slid down in the futon, fingers skipping lightly over Sakumo’s hand and then curling around his own. Sakumo clasped it and propped the pillow up a little more before lying down.

Mom held up the book in her left hand. “Is this story all right?” she checked, and Sakumo looked curiously at Orochimaru, but he only nodded. Sakumo echoed him, then yawned.

“All right.” Mom opened the book and began to read, angling it so the pictures were easy to see from the futon.

Notes:

I may have been working on a bedtime story . . . story for Sakumo Week lately . . . as you can see, so I branched out a bit~

Chapter 455: Allowance (waiting up)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Settle down!” Sakumo barked. “Kami, what’s gotten into you?”

Deidara wriggled out of his futon again, pouting, his hair ruffling around his face. “Aniki’s due back!” he sulked.

Sakumo sat back on his heels, eyeing his youngest. “. . .you want to wait up for your brother?” he hazarded.

Deidara lifted his chin defiantly. “. . .please?”

Sakumo hummed thoughtfully. There had been word from Kakashi this morning, confirming he was on schedule to return today. It was late, but. . .

“Very well. You may wait for your brother.” Sakumo allowed, and Deidara bounced to his feet. “Doing something quiet.” he said firmly. “And when Kakashi gets home, you may tell him goodnight, and then you will go to bed.”

“Yes, Dad!” Deidara agreed easily, though it took several more minutes to corral him into a quiet activity, with his excitement. Sakumo shot his mate a look as Orochimaru watched with poorly hidden amusement, discussing poisons with Tenzou as he saw to his mission gear.

Deidara settled at Sakumo’s side on the couch, eventually, with a book of legends that had been passed down from long before the Hatake came to Hi no Kuni. Sakumo wrapped an arm around his cub and supported the book, reading along with him and helping him with some of the more archaic or obscure words.

Chapter 456: Home Again (waiting up)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Kakashi bounded up the steps to his front door, not overly tired - despite the long day of travel - but relieved to be home nevertheless. He let himself in quietly - it was after midnight - divested himself of his gear, and smiled as he made his way into the main room, finding his parents still up, along with-

“All right, your brother is home.” Dad said, and Kakashi arched an eyebrow.

“Aniki!”

Kakashi caught Deidara as he leapt, laughing a little. “Hello, otouto.” He hugged Deidara close, nosing his brow and taking in his scent. “It’s very late.” he observed.

“We agreed he could stay up until you returned.” Mama said, lifting a hand in greeting from the cushions near the irori. Tenzou smiled at him, but didn’t rise, lap full of weaponry.

Kakashi shifted Deidara’s weight against his side, braced on his hip. “Oh?”

“And-”

“I know.” Deidara said, interrupting Dad. “Tell Aniki good night and then bed.” He turned wide eyes up at Kakashi.

Kakashi hummed dubiously, but smiled. “Why don’t I tuck you in, then?”

Deidara grinned, fingers curling into his shirt, and wriggled bouncily. Kakashi wrinkled his nose, nuzzling his brother again.

“Have you had dinner, Kakashi?” Mama asked, and Kakashi shrugged. “Mm. . . Perhaps Deidara can keep you company while you eat,” he rose, approaching them and brushing a hand over Kakashi’s shoulder, “and then you can put him to bed.” He gave Deidara a firm look that was answered with an innocent grin.

Kakashi swallowed a laugh but nodded, turning to follow his parents to the kitchen. He freed one arm just as Tenzou reached him, pulling his other brother in close against his side.

“Welcome home, Aniki.” Tenzou greeted, leaning into him.

Chapter 457: Late Night Lingering (waiting up)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru smiled fondly, watching his eldest eat in quick, neat bites between telling his brothers about the places he had seen on his mission. Tenzou listened attentively, hands full of senbon, and Deidara. . .

Sakumo squeezed Orochimaru’s shoulder, settling beside him with a warm little laugh.

Deidara, who had been so determined and eager to stay up for his brother, was sagging against Kakashi’s chest, his hair mussed and his bright eyes gone hazy behind drooping lids. Kakashi supported him with one arm around him, and stroked down his back with the other from time to time.

“I think it’s time for bed, Deidei.” Kakashi said softly a few minutes after he had pushed away his plate, rocking Deidara absently.

Deidara snuffled, clinging to Kakashi’s shirt, and mumbled something mostly unintelligible.

“I am glad you waited up for me and I got to see you, otouto,” Kakashi said, sliding away from the table and rising with Deidara cradled in his arms, “but it is long past time for good little bangs to be asleep.” He kissed Deidara’s temple and grinned at them before turning and carrying Deidara - who did not protest, though Orochimaru wasn’t sure he was actually awake - out of the kitchen.

Chapter 458: Tucked In (waiting up)

Chapter Text

Deidara grumbled a little, rubbing his face against his brother’s chest, vaguely aware Kakashi was carrying him somewhere.

Kakashi hugged him tight, crooning low in his throat, and he relaxed with a little hum. Kakashi leaned forwards, settling Deidara back into his abandoned futon, fingers running through his hair. Deidara sighed, surprised by a yawn, and Kakashi rumbled softly.

Deidara snuggled into his pillow, smiling as his brother stroked his cheek. “You didn’t say if you had an adventure on your mission.” he pointed out.

“Not too much.” Kakashi shook his head. “I’ll tell you about the exciting parts tomorrow.” he promised, and Deidara grinned. “Oyasumi, Deidei.”

Deidara hummed, closing his eyes as Kakashi kissed his brow, drawing the kakebuton up over him. “Oyasumi Aniki.” he returned, and wriggled a little. “I’m glad you’re home.”

“Me too.” Kakashi said softly, patting Deidara’s shoulder, and then he was gone, with nothing more than the soft sound of the door closing behind him.

Chapter 459: Baking

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo rolled his shoulders as he headed towards the kitchen, stomach gnawing at him after the full day of training and perhaps unwise decision to skip lunch. He smiled as Orochimaru stepped out into view, then stilled, eyes dropping to the deep red - organ blood red - stains on his mate’s pale hands.

“What have you been doing?” he asked, brows rising.

“Hm?” Orochimaru raised one hand, spreading his fingers, and laughed. “Baking.”

Sakumo blinked. Minato peeked out behind Orochimaru. “Hello!”

Sakumo smiled at him. “Hello, nikkou.” he returned, moving towards them. “Baking?”

“Small ninja should know how to take care of themselves off duty as well.” Orochimaru said, with a sharp edge Sakumo knew wasn’t meant for him. Minato didn’t seem to have caught it, either, his face lighting with a bright grin. “So yes, baking. Dinner is in the oven, as well.”

“Excellent.” Sakumo brushed a hand over his mate’s hip and leaned in to kiss Orochimaru’s cheek. His nose twitched. “Cherries?”

Orochimaru raised his hand again, smirking. “Cherries.” The smell was stronger as he brought his red-painted fingers up between their faces. Sakumo hummed, tempted, but only kissed the back of Orochimaru’s hand, stroking his side, and moved past him into the kitchen, following Minato.

Notes:

. . .I may have just finished pitting and chopping a bowl of cherries myself. In case you have never done it yourself, they really do tend to leave your fingers looking like you've been shredding someone's liver instead. >.>

Chapter 460: Battlefield Focus (explosion)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru’s eyes widened as a powerful katon rushed upwards with a shocking burst of sound across the battlefield.

“Worried about something?” the nin he faced taunted, smirking, and Orochimaru deflected his wild swing, lip curling. He whirled, bringing Kusanagi around once more, and moved on without a second glance as the nin fell to the bloody mud in three pieces.

Orochimaru scanned the field and grimaced. He couldn’t make his way to where he’d last seen his mate - beyond the fiery explosion - he was needed here. He set to with fury licking at him, driving him on even more harshly, Kusanagi sweeping through enemy nin and their comparatively pathetic weaponry alike.

Uncertainty throbbed at the back of Orochimaru’s mind as he fought, though he didn’t let it distract him. Sakumo was a skilled ninja, and he was tough, but that katon and the explosion it had sparked had been . . . unexpected.

Chapter 461: Battlefield Seeking (explosion)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Hey! Orochi!”

Orochimaru turned as Jiraiya grabbed his arm, feeling the faint tingling itch in his upper jaw that came with the urge to bite. “Jiraiya, I do not have time-”

“Hey. Your wolf,” Jiraiya squeezed his arm, “he’s over there. Hime’s got him. He’s fine, Orochi.” he added more softly, releasing Orochimaru and gesturing off closer to the way he had come than the way Orochimaru had been heading.

“Thank you.” Orochimaru said, already moving. Yes, he trusted Jiraiya, but the last he had seen of his mate had been an instant before an explosive katon had hidden away everything in that direction . . . and that area of the battlefield had been wrecked when visibility was restored. Orochimaru wanted to see Sakumo himself.

Chapter 462: Reasons and Placations (explosion)

Chapter Text

“Lovely!”

Orochimaru’s heart eased slightly; Sakumo’s voice was clear and steady, though he was sitting in front of Tsunade - actually, he noticed wryly, Tsunade had just pinned him down at one thigh to keep him from rising as Orochimaru approached. She was cursing at him in little mutters, her hands glowing with iryou chakra as she swept them over his chest.

“Wolf.” Orochimaru returned, coming close enough to brush his fingers over Sakumo’s cheek - he nuzzled into the touch - without blocking Tsunade’s work. “Tsuna?”

“He’ll howl again.” Tsunade said dryly, glancing up at Orochimaru and smiling. “Despite that idiotic charge into the smoke even after you got caught by the first blast.” she added, glaring at Sakumo, who made a sheepish noise and ducked his head.

Orochimaru hissed, and Sakumo looked up at him again, catching his wrist. There was a bit of shiny pink-red skin on the left side of his face and more marks of healing burns on his left arm. “I wasn’t the only one caught, I had to go back.” he said softly, and Orochimaru’s eyes narrowed.

Sakumo whined placatingly, and Tsunade gestured that he could come closer. Orochimaru stepped in close, until he could feel the warmth of Sakumo’s right side against his arm, though their flak vests blocked most contact. Orochimaru might see the necessity of such actions, but. . .

He stroked Sakumo’s hair proprietarily, and Sakumo leaned against him a little, an affectionate rumble building in his throat. Orochimaru might understand what Sakumo had done, but he didn’t have to like it.

Chapter 463: Sleeping Wolf

Chapter Text

Orochimaru hummed softly, running his fingers through Sakumo’s hair, eyes trailing over his mate’s shoulders and down his back. Sakumo was mostly asleep, lying almost as though boneless in his relaxed state, heavy against Orochimaru’s side and chest, but it was still easy enough to trace the lines of his powerful muscles under remarkably unscarred skin.

Orochimaru traced an absent, spiralling pattern over Sakumo’s back. He sighed, warm against Orochimaru’s chest, and stirred formlessly. Orochimaru smiled, cupping the nape of Sakumo’s neck and squeezing gently. “My beautiful wolf.” he said softly, and Sakumo growled softly in his sleep, his chest thrumming with it.

Chapter 464: Privacy

Notes:

I may wind up needing to drop Coil and Croon updates from daily to weekly, or just 'at random', for a while - I have . . . so much to do, especially with some events I'm writing for coming up as well as Kakashi Week which I am also running. >.>

Chapter Text

A smile tugged at Orochimaru’s lips as the water lapped a little higher around his shoulders; he didn’t open his eyes. “Just relax.” he advised, reaching out.

Sakumo pushed into his hands, as he had known his mate would, and Orochimaru kneaded his shoulders before drawing him close. The little onsen might not be as nice as those in Konoha, but it was hot and comfortable . . . and here they were alone.

Orochimaru hummed contemplatively, idle thoughts flitting across his mind, and sat up a little higher even as he wound his arms around Sakumo, opening his eyes.

Chapter 465: Wary Uncle

Chapter Text

“Hello, precious.” Orochimaru accepted Kakashi’s leap back into his arms - a little clumsy, but evidently from tiredness rather than anything more worrying - with a smile. “Did you have fun with Oji-gama?”

Kakashi tipped his head back with a yawn that shook his whole body and showed off his little fangs. He sighed as it ended, eyes half-closed, and nodded. “Was fun.” he agreed, and Orochimaru smiled, rubbing his back and inspecting him carefully.

“Have you had dinner?” Orochimaru asked, and Kakashi mumbled something unintelligible.

“Yes.” Jiraiya provided, then cocked his head. “You didn’t really think I’d let anything happen to him?”

“He’s our cub.” Sakumo said pointedly from behind him, and Jiraiya grinned as he stepped aside, not showing any surprise. “Can you honestly say you’re surprised we’re . . . cautious?” He arched a brow and eyed Jiraiya, but didn’t say anything about his reputation.

“Well I know you both too well to let anything happen to him.” Jiraiya said dryly. “. . .even if I were inclined to, which I’m not.” he added hurriedly, eyes widening.

Orochimaru snorted, shaking his head at his old friend, lips twitching.

Chapter 466: Pack Life

Chapter Text

“Tadaima!” Sakumo called from the front door, pulling Orochimaru’s focus a little from his research.

He lifted his head. “Okaeri.” he replied, and smiled as Sakumo bent for a kiss. “Good day?”

“Decent.” Sakumo agreed with a shrug. “Are there genin in our back garden?”

Orochimaru laughed. “Kakashi’s latest crop of puppies.” he confirmed. Deidara was sulking and would, no doubt, lodge a - very loud - protest with his favourite brother later for being barred from participating.

Not that it was an unreasonable ban; Deidara’s practises were very . . . energetic. Kakashi’s newly-graduated puppies were probably not ready for that.

“Are they staying for dinner?” Sakumo asked, running his fingers through Orochimaru’s hair and making him hum with pleasure. He shrugged, as he didn’t know, and Sakumo made a thoughtful sound, moving around behind him and rubbing his shoulders.

Chapter 467: Dawn Spar

Chapter Text

Sakumo came awake to the light caress of callused fingertips trailing over his back in patterns he couldn’t follow, and-

“What is Kakashi doing?” Sakumo asked, burying his face deeper in his pillow as his mate laughed and the thud that had rung through the house faded.

“Gai-kun came over to spar.” Orochimaru supplied, smoothing Sakumo’s hair aside and kissing his shoulder.

Sakumo hummed. “How early is it?” he asked, rubbing his cheek against his pillow and turning towards his mate.

“Gai-kun arrived slightly after the dawn.” Orochimaru supplied, and Sakumo shook his head a little, huffing. “I gather Kakashi was not . . . enthused about the spar, but-” he broke off as Kakashi yelled outside.

“Gai-kun.” Sakumo finished, and Orochimaru laughed, murmuring agreement and returning to his lazy caresses. Sakumo drifted back to sleep, despite the riotous sounds of the cubs playing - practising - outside.

Chapter 468: Little Bang

Chapter Text

Jiraiya let the gate swing closed behind him and eyed the walk up to the house. There were more shrubs on either side of it now than there had been last he was here, but. . . Jiraiya recalled his second nephew’s remarkable talent - and Jiraiya didn’t for a moment believe Orochimaru’s smooth, non-committal implication that the mokuton had come from the Hatake line, no matter the reminders that the Lady Senju mother of the Shodaime and Nidaime had been a Hatake - and was hardly surprised by the thickness of the greenery.

The garden was quiet, but something skittered across the ground at his feet, making him twitch and glance down. He didn’t get a look at what it was before it exploded, stinging his exposed toes and making him restrain a jump.

Another muted clatter, then another, and a bang and another flashy little explosion was followed by several more in rapid succession, making him step back. It wasn’t any trap Orochimaru - or Sakumo, for that matter, or their boys - had set, Jiraiya was sure.

“Who are you?”

Jiraiya blinked, shaking his head and focusing past the sunbursts muddling his vision.

There was a small blonde child looking up at him. Glaring. With very blue eyes. Jiraiya raised his eyebrows. “Who are you-” the child threw a pebble and it exploded on the stone between them, stinging Jiraiya’s feet and shins with more shrapnel, “little bang?” he finished wryly. Orochimaru taken in another stray, he wondered idly - though this one might be even harder to pass off as his own than Tenzou had been.

“I live here.” the little bang said. “Who are you?” Another pebble bounced in his hand as he glared.

Jiraiya shifted into a dramatic pose as he introduced himself by his full titles, but the little bang did not look impressed. Jiraiya snorted. Orochimaru’s kid, birthed or not, he thought wryly, and crouched. “I’m Orochi’s friend, and Kakashi and Tenzou’s Oji-gama.” he added, then paused. “And yours?” he ventured.

The little bang blinked confusedly, tilting his head.

“Jiraiya.”

“Orochi-teme.” Jiraiya said cheerfully, looking up to see Orochimaru striding towards them. He put a hand on the little blonde head. “Another one?” Jiraiya gestured, and Orochimaru smiled, a smug little expression that was still bright with happiness. Good. Orochimaru deserved that, for all that Jiraiya would have cringed to be offered his life.

Bang. “Don’t insult Mama!”

“Peace, Deidara.” Orochimaru said, patting bright hair. “Jiraiya . . . is like that. Why don’t you go tell your brothers your uncle is here.”

Deidara looked dubious, but he did as he was told with a last glare, rustling a handful of pebbles. Jiraiya laughed, stepping forward - now the little bang was no longer defending his mother - and hauling Orochimaru into a hug.

Orochimaru laughed and returned it warmly. “Welcome, Jiraiya. Come inside.” he invited.

“Good to see you. Where did you pick this one up?” he asked, following his best friend up towards the house.

Orochimaru looked over his shoulder with a sly smile. “Iwa.”

Chapter 469: Busy (distressing Danzou)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Danzou’s eyes narrowed. “Surely you understand the importance of this project!”

“Surely you are capable of remembering a simple fact,” Orochimaru countered, his voice acidic, “one that has been given to you repeatedly, no less.”

Danzou frowned at him.

Orochimaru’s lip curled. “I do not have time.” he snapped.

“What has you so incredibly busy?” Danzou demanded. He was well aware that Orochimaru had always found time for research projects and the like between missions and training, no matter how busy Hiruzen had, at times, kept his ‘Sannin’.

“Being pregnant.” Orochimaru returned in a sharp tone, and Danzou stumbled over his next words. Orochimaru brushed a hand over his stomach, and Danzou couldn’t help but follow the gesture with his eyes, baffled. “As you might guess,” Orochimaru continued, “I anticipate being very busy for some time.”

Danzou scowled, but he couldn’t get anything else out of Orochimaru, and found himself promptly escorted out shortly after.

An added insult, Hatake returned as he was leaving, and scrutinised him suspiciously before striding directly past him without further acknowledgement, heading up to the house.

Pregnant. Danzou sneered, shaking his head.

Chapter 470: Back to Work (distressing Danzou)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Danzou suppressed an irritated sneer. “I need to speak with Orochimaru.” he said firmly.

Hatake didn’t move, standing in the open door. He hadn’t for the past three times Danzou had visited, either. This was becoming ridiculous, and Danzou needed Orochimaru back in the labs - it was . . . trying to admit it, but they didn’t run half so well without him.

“I am aware he - you - have had a child,” Danzou kept his voice even, “is it not appropriate for his superior to visit in this circumstance?”

Hatake’s lip curled, but he allowed Danzou inside, gesturing him through an open space towards the main living area and heading another direction himself.

Danzou ignored him, moving on and finding Orochimaru ensconced on a large cough, half wrapped in a quilt. Danzou exchanged greetings Orochimaru returned with blunt seeming disdain, lounging with his head against the back of the couch.

“When can we expect you to return to your duties?” Danzou asked impatiently.

Orochimaru’s brows arched. “What?

“Your duties! I have been attempting to speak with you,” Danzou huffed, “for several days. When can we expect you to get back to the work you are needed for?”

“Not for some time.” Orochimaru said sharply.

“You are not the only one among us to have a child.” Danzou said, which was true, irritating as it was for productivity on even the most pressing projects. “You are being unreasonable, not returning as you should.”

“I could rearrange your insides,” Hatake said behind him, making him suppress a flinch; he hadn’t noticed the man approaching, somehow, “see how long it takes you to get back to work. How many of those others carried and birthed their children?”

“Is that a threat, Hatake?” Danzou glared at the unwary man.

He didn’t flinch, even as he moved to the couch, his new son in his arms, and sat beside Orochimaru. “My mate is still healing.” he said, nuzzling Orochimaru’s cheek as he took the baby, the quilt around him sliding open.

“I will be returning to active duty when Kakashi is a little older,” Orochimaru said, and Danzou took a step back, grimacing, as Orochimaru opened his yukata and brought his baby to his chest, “I won’t be leaving the village for long until he is much older.”

Orochimaru fixed a sharp glare on Danzou that sparked alarm at the back of his mind. “I’ll let you know if and when I will be returning to your labs. If that is all?” he finished before Danzou could sputter a protest - if! - and then-

Danzou found himself escorted firmly out, and glared back as the door snapped shut on his heels.

Chapter 471: Pressing the Issue (Distressing Danzou)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Danzou glared, then huffed and stalked up the walk to the familiar house - it was calm and peaceful, not that those were things he had ever expected Orochimaru to be tempted by. . .

The only sound was the breeze, and the low brush rustling. He shook his head. Today he would get an answer from Orochimaru - and he was determined that it would be the one he needed, as well. There was, of course, always Hiruzen, and pressing that way, but. . .

Well, Danzou preferred not to invite too much thought from his oldest friend on what he was doing. Necessary things.

Things about which Hiruzen had always preferred not to think, even if he didn’t condemn them. Danzou made it easy for him to keep them out of mind, and intended to continue doing so.

Something moved, a flash of brightness, and Danzou whirled, startled, a fraction too slow to stop- He bit back a curse as pain shot up his leg, twisting away from the jaws of a small canine. “Get off.” he snapped. “Hatake ought to control his summons better.”

“You interrupted a hunting lesson.” Orochimaru said evenly as fangs ripped through his flesh and free, a bloody grin on a small muzzle. “Come here, precious.”

Danzou looked as Orochimaru crouched, and the canine trotting towards him blurred just shy of his arms, scooped up as a wild-haired toddler. Danzou’s eyes widened.

“I assume something specific brings you here?” Orochimaru asked as a much larger canine paced out into view, circling Orochimaru and his son. Not a summon, Danzou realised - guessed - uneasily, but Hatake himself.

Chapter 472: Bloodlines (distressing Danzou)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Danzou rapped on the doorframe, seething. Beyond the fury of being defied, however, was a vindicated satisfaction - Orochimaru would hardly be able to play off stealing a very identifiable mokuton experiment, and he would answer to Danzou once more.

Hiruzen would no doubt be disappointed if one of his students - the only one remaining in Konoha; Danzou huffed, the Densetsu no Sannin had been so promising. . . - were denounced as a traitor - but he would believe it. Particularly at Danzou’s word, and particularly of this one.

“Danzou-san, what brings you here?” Orochimaru asked dryly, stepping aside. “Would you like to come in?”

Danzou stared. He had the experiment in his arms. “I need to speak with you about your choices, Orochimaru.” He glared meaningfully.

Orochimaru shifted, holding the experiment a little higher. “I have made the same choice as I did last time, if you recall.” he said, which made no sense. “I will return to active duty when my child is a little older. I may or may not,” he added, gleaming eyes narrow, “return to work in your . . . labs.”

“Even should you be so disloyal as to abandon our work to strengthen Konoha, you will not be allowed to steal the products of our research.” Danzou snapped. “Return it to me now,” he gestured, “and the Hokage never need hear of your-”

“Are you suggesting,” Hatake said mildly, “that we surrender our cub to you . . . and that if we do not, we are traitors to Konoha?”

Danzou stilled. “Not your child.” he said hurriedly, because he didn’t need Hatake’s reminder to imagine what the clans would do if they were given the impression he was taking clan children. Hiruzen would not turn on him, no, but . . . the clans retained worrying independence at times, and guarded their bloodlines viciously.

“I fail to see what you think I might have possibly ‘stolen’.” Orochimaru said with a sharp smirk, swaying slightly from side to side.

The experiment in his arms burbled, reaching up with both hands, and a flowering vine grew around one of the small arms. Danzou stiffened and stepped back, but there was no uncontrolled spike, no explosion, no-

He had to have that subject. It was the only one that had survived, and now it was channelling the mokuton almost as though under control?

“It’s using mokuton!” Danzou met Orochimaru’s eyes. “You cannot possibly hope to pass that off. The Shodaime was the only one in Konoha to have that power. The only one anywhere to have it.”

“The Shodaime - and Nidaime - had Hatake blood; a distant cousin, true, but their mother shares my blood.” Hatake said, stepping up to Orochimaru’s side, hand on his waist, and Danzou felt his jaw going slack. “She is part of my cubs’ bloodline. Clearly the mokuton has made a reappearance from our blood once more.”

“That is impossible and you know it!” Danzou snapped.

Orochimaru’s smirk grew. “So you - and many others - said of our first child.” he said smugly.

Chapter 473: Don't Dare (distressing Danzou)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Danzou paused, hearing the creaking of wood under strain. He glanced at the trees overhead, then proceeded around the curving path that bypassed several training fields.

His jaw tightened. The- Tenzou - his lip curled at the name Orochimaru and Hatake had given him - was practising, hands clasped together as mokuton shot up all around him. It wavered messily, no doubt he didn’t spend enough time training to control it, busy being coddled at home.

Regardless of how much his talent was being wasted, Danzou didn’t dare approach him - not to recruit him, not to . . . help, even were he so inclined. Not again.

Kakashi slunk out from behind a boulder in the training field just as Danzou was considering moving on. He shuddered, eyeing the boy. He well remembered his few prior encounters with the Hatake brat.

Tenzou turned to his ‘brother’ - and Danzou still seethed that they had somehow managed to convince the entirety of Konoha, including Hiruzen, that Tenzou was theirs, and not a prized positive result of his work.

Kakashi grinned, ruffling his long hair, and Danzou wrinkled his nose. He turned to walk on, then realised Kakashi was staring at him, locking eyes. Danzou suppressed a shudder, lifting his chin before he moved on.

Kakashi might be blatantly Hatake’s brat but the icy, vicious dare held in his gaze was entirely too reminiscent of Orochimaru’s sharp golden eyes.

Chapter 474: Disquieting Rumours (distressing Danzou)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Danzou’s fingers tightened on his cane as he stepped through the gate into the Hatake compound. He had heard . . . disquieting rumours - yet again - and here he was to put a stop to the insanity if it were true.

The brush rustled and Danzou whirled, gathering chakra, remembering all too vividly the pounce of a small canine with disproportionately long, sharp fangs. Kakashi was, of course, far too old to pull such tricks now . . . not in that way.

Danzou shuddered. Kakashi often appeared whenever Danzou was watching Tenzou, a sharp, wary look in his eye. Sometimes it was shaded with barely-contained fury. Kakashi might not attack him with childish impulsiveness, but now the boy was a jounin, and he might very well attack in more serious fashion.

A small blonde child all but tumbled out of brush, along with a dark grey wolf that was, at least, not Hatake. Either of them. “You caught me!”

The young wolf barked in answer, and Danzou shook his head slightly. The child looked up suddenly, bright blue eyes locking with Danzou’s, bold and unafraid.

“Who are you?” he demanded, popping to his feet. His words, the accent. . . The rumours, then, had at least a modicum of reality to them - this child was not from Konoha.

“Excuse yourself.” Danzou said shortly.

“No. You’re in our home.” the boy said, eyes narrowing, taking a step. “You excuse yourself.”

Where the hell had they picked this child up, Danzou wondered, examining him. There was, at least, he thought with sharp satisfaction, no way they could even attempt to pass this one off as theirs.

Chapter 475: Defending the Den (distressing Danzou)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“You are in no position to make demands.” Danzou informed the child, tapping his cane on the path.

“It’s our den, not yours!” he snapped in return, and Danzou snorted, then stiffened as Orochimaru and Hatake stepped out into view. “Dad! It is ours, isn’t it? He doesn’t belong!”

“It is our den, cub.” Hatake confirmed, nodding, and the child leapt- Danzou took a step back, but Kakashi appeared - there was no swirl of smoke or leaves, he hadn’t used a shunshin and Danzou had no idea where he had come from even as he passed by Danzou’s shoulder - and scooped the child up in his arms.

“Now, now.” Kakashi said, balancing the child on his hip and tipping his head down, murmuring to him.

Danzou looked to Orochimaru and Hatake. “You cannot possibly hope to keep a foreign nin in your home. In Konoha!”

“He’s ours.” Hatake said mildly. The boy was grinning, but there was something calculating in his bright eyes; something that looked familiar from the rest of this family, and not something Danzou had expected. “We’ll keep him where he belongs.”

“You’ll surrender him to T&I or drag him back out of the village if you must but he does not-” Danzou broke off, stifling a yelp as something exploded in his face. “Kami!”

Bakuhatsu!” the child shouted, and threw something that stung against his skin, then exploded as he flinched, trying to avoid it, a scattering of sharp pains in his shoulder, neck, and face.

“He has the bakuton?” Danzou demanded, glaring. “How is that possible? You cannot-”

“Of course he does.” Orochimaru said, smirking. “We found him in Tsuchi no Kuni, not far outside Iwa.” he added, moving over to Kakashi’s side and patting his shoulder. “No more explosions, Deidara. For the moment.”

The boy - Deidara - sighed. “Yes, Mama.” He rattled something in his hand, and Kakashi laughed, bouncing him a little and meeting Danzou’s gaze with the same challenging stare he had seen so many times over Tenzou, their other false child. He felt blood dripping down his face and sneered, turning his attention back to Hatake and Orochimaru.

Notes:

next in arc

There's also another perspective of the events here in #479, Deidei vs Danzou.

Chapter 476: Infiltration (distressing Danzou)

Chapter Text

“Danzou-san, what can I do for you?” Minato asked, tilting his head and meeting Danzou’s gaze. He was far too young for this position, Danzou thought, as he had many times, glancing around the office.

“It has come to my attention, Hokage-sama,” Danzou said, the words stinging on his tongue, “that there is a foreign nin from an enemy village in Konoha.”

Minato straightened, sky blue eyes sharpening. Even Danzou sometimes forgot that the cheerful, silly man could change that way.

“Furthermore,” Danzou said, and hid a smirk, “supposedly loyal Konoha nin are sheltering this enemy.” He tapped his cane on the floor. “Of course I brought it to you immediately; I know you must deal with such things swiftly.”

The door opened behind him and he turned, furious words on his lips, only to fall silent as Kakashi stepped in, Naruto on his hip.

“Danzou-san.” Kakashi said, and his eyes dropped to the second blond head at Kakashi’s side. “Hello sensei. Not interrupting anything top secret, am I?” he said with a low laugh.

“Of course not.” Minato rose, coming around his desk and holding out his arms to his son. Naruto giggled and dove for him, and Danzou snorted as Minato bounced and cuddled him. “Hello Naru-kun! Did you have fun with Kakashi-nii and Deidara?”

Naruto babbled something insensible and Danzou looked between Minato and the small Iwa nin. Kakashi ruffled his hair.

“Thank you for looking after him for me this morning,” Minato said, and grinned at them both, “both of you. Your parents are leaving today, aren’t they?”

“Yeah!” the Iwa nin said. “Kakashi-aniki will be taking care of things though!”

“Exactly.” Kakashi said, catching Danzou’s eye and glaring. “Dad’s got that . . . thing you asked him to do,” he tugged the child’s ponytail, “and Mama is going to look for his old teammates again.”

Minato sighed. “It would be good to have them back, but if he cannot find them - or if they refuse again. . . Perhaps we should leave off. Your mother’s strength and talents could be better utilised elsewhere.”

Kakashi nodded agreeably, and Minato frowned, turning his attention to his toddler again. “Ah, Danzou-san,” he said suddenly, “your report, you said there was an enemy infiltrator in Konoha? Please give me the details.”

“Did he now.” Kakashi said acidly.

“Please, remain, if you would.” Minato said, gesturing with one hand as he returned to his chair behind his desk. “I would appreciate your assistance with the matter, Kakashi.”

“Certainly, sensei.” Kakashi stalked closer to Minato’s desk, keeping the little Iwa nin with him. “I am . . . very curious about this enemy nin.”

Chapter 477: Eggs for Breakfast

Chapter Text

“Egg?”

Sakumo paused, then turned slowly to see a handful of snakes gathered across the kitchen floor and the chairs, one coiled on the table. They chorused their request again, eyes fixed on him, little tongues flicking.

“Egg?” they said again, one of them lifting up their head and swaying back and forth a little, looking more hopeful than intimidating.

Sakumo hummed, opening the box of eggs - he had been about to start cooking, his mate was out in the garden running through his relaxing morning kata - and beckoning.

In a moment he was surrounded by snakes, and as he crouched to get closer to them he considered that this was probably not a comforting position for most people. He’d been getting used to it, through courting Orochimaru and now in their shared den.

Sakumo passed out one egg to each snake bar one, who he had to be rather firm with, displaying the size of the chicken eggs relative to their own head and throat. They made a sulky noise and Sakumo carefully picked them up and offered to let them lick out the egg shells as he cooked.

The compromise was accepted with a little sulky hiss, but they seemed happy enough in their sticky little heap of eggshells after a few minutes.

When breakfast was ready - Sakumo was just about to go fetch his mate when he heard the shoji slide open - Sakumo wet a cloth and dabbed the little snake’s head carefully, wiping away the sticky residue, earning himself a more pleased hiss as the snake moved to resettle around his forearm.

Chapter 478: Companionable Snoozes

Chapter Text

Orochimaru frowned slightly as he slid the door closed, turning away. Not that he had particularly expected to find his son in the storage room - occasionally a guest room - in any case, but where was he. . .

Orochimaru wandered idly through the house, stepping over Kita where he had chosen to emulate a rug - much though he hated any suggestion that he was or could do so - and eventually out into the back garden once more. He paused. He had been out here earlier, but he had kept to the little table at the end of the engawa.

He stepped down into the garden, and found Kakashi sprawled on his back, his head pillowed on Nori’s coils, Makoto and Matsu - growing fast and still each roughly Kakashi’s size - tucked on either side of him. Orochimaru still had trouble telling Yura’s cubs apart when they weren’t speaking, or sometimes by their behaviour, but one of them rested his head across Kakashi’s shoulder, while the other was curled neatly at his other side. A much smaller cub slept on Kakashi’s lower chest, rising and falling slightly with his breaths.

Nori was the first to stir, muscles rippling, lifting his head and blinking at Orochimaru.

Kakashi drew a deeper breath, opening his eyes, and one of the older cubs twitched an ear. “Mama.” Kakashi said, voice thick with sleep. “Wha’ is it?”

“Nothing. Go back to sleep.” Orochimaru told him, smiling, and Kakashi yawned, nodding, and shifted a little, stretching out his legs, before closing his eyes once more.

Chapter 479: Deidei vs Danzou

Notes:

Not directly part of Distressing Danzou . . . but on the other hand, have another perspective on #475, Defending the Den. >.>

Chapter Text

Kakashi flicked an ear as he heard Deidara yelling from the front garden. He rose and trotted around the house, towards where Danzou was for some reason speaking with his youngest brother, but shifted shapes as he heard his parents join them.

He stepped out just in time to catch up Deidara, lunging for Danzou’s legs with his blunt little teeth bared. “Now, now.” Kakashi scolded, pulling him into a comfortable position. “No biting Danzou-san.” he said quietly, and Deidara turned a pitifully pleading look up at him, eyes wide.

“But- But-” Deidara looked back at where he was trying to argue their parents into admitting Deidara was a foreign ninja and not part of their family.

Kakashi growled softly. “I did that once,” he told his brother, though, “he tastes awful.”

Deidara grinned, then pouted sulkily again, looking back at Danzou. “. . .your Nori says ‘sometimes one has to eat unpleasant things’?”

Kakashi smothered a laugh and brushed a kiss to Deidara’s hair. “True. But only when there are no better options, like-”

Deidara squinted and threw out his hands just as Danzou threatened to get T&I involved, the ass, and an explosion that was more light than anything went off in his face. Deidara giggled quietly against Kakashi’s chest, and he smirked, clearing his throat and using a one-handed doton to gather a handful of pebbles.

He held them out to Deidara, who giggled louder, and braced himself for the following shout of-

Bakuhatsu!” Deidara’s pebbles went off in Danzou’s face, drawing blood in several places, and Kakashi smoothed an approving hand over his back.

Even if Mama instructed him to stop a moment later; the pat and the slight smile from him had not been disapproving.

“Yes, Mama.” Deidara said obediently, sighing, still playing with the rest of the pebbles he had in his hands. Kakashi laughed, bouncing him, and grinned at Mama before turning a hard stare upon Danzou, who turned away from him immediately, not that he was surprised.

Chapter 480: Companionable Breakfast

Chapter Text

Orochimaru stilled, chopsticks halfway to his mouth, as something warm slid over his knees. He leaned back and tilted his head. Seikio’s muzzle nudged a little further over his knees, jaw open just enough to show a flash of pink tongue, ears brushing the underside of the table.

Orochimaru arched an eyebrow. Seikio gave a soft, hopeful whine, eyes wide, ears pricked forwards as far as they would go with the table blocking him. He shifted, his paws just beside Orochimaru’s feet.

“May I help you?” Orochimaru asked, lips twitching.

Seikio whined again, poutily, and Orochimaru laughed, taking his bite and then picking up a morsel of fish and lowering his hand to his lap. Seikio strained forwards, fluffy chest pressed against Orochimaru’s knees, and took it with the barest brush of fangs against Orochimaru’s skin.

He returned to his breakfast as Seikio licked his chops and then pulled back, settling in at his feet, warm and companionable. Orochimaru wouldn’t quite go so far as to rest his feet on the wolf’s ribs, as Sakumo would have, but he nudged gently, and smiled as he heard the swish of Seikio’s tail wagging against the floor.

Chapter 481: Hairdressing

Chapter Text

Putting the brush down at last, Sakumo rumbled contentedly, nuzzling into the heavy, silken fall of his mate’s hair. Orochimaru laughed, warm and lazy, and leaned backwards, resting against his chest.

Sakumo wrapped his arms around his mate, dipping his head and brushing a kiss to Orochimaru’s cheekbone. He smiled, fingers playing over Sakumo’s wrists and twining with his own. After a few more moments he pulled away, however, and Sakumo sighed, running his fingers through the sleek strands he had just spent longer than was probably actually necessary brushing out.

Orochimaru lifted his chin, slender neck stretching out, and Sakumo dragged his gaze away to focus on his hands as he twisted his mate’s hair up into a knot. He reached for the kanzashi on the table and found Orochimaru putting them into his hand.

A tug that was firm enough Sakumo winced, though Orochimaru didn’t so much as twitch, and Sakumo slid the first kanzashi into the thick knot, securing it. Another few twists around the base of the knot and then the other two found their places as well.

Sakumo bent, kissing Orochimaru’s bared nape, growling softly, feeling a curl of warmth low in his stomach. Orochimaru hissed, soft and almost inviting - but he still turned away after a breath, rising to his feet, fingers brushing over Sakumo’s shoulder as he smiled.

Chapter 482: Brush

Chapter Text

Securing the band at the thick tail of Orochimaru’s braid, Sakumo rubbed his thumb over it, then released it to settle heavily along his back. Orochimaru murmured his thanks, fingers brushing over Sakumo’s cheek before he moved away.

Sakumo stretched, yawning.

“Daddy?”

Sakumo looked down as his younger cub tugged at his shirt. “Tenzou?” he returned with a smile, and Tenzou tugged again, reaching up to the bureau for the brush he had used on his mate’s hair. Tenzou went up onto his toes to reach.

“Daddy brush?” Tenzou asked, nearly dropping the brush until Sakumo caught his hand.

Ah. Sakumo grinned and offered his other hand. “Of course, cub.” he said, helping Tenzou climb up into his lap. He ran his fingers through Tenzou’s hair, even as he put down the brush he had used for his mate and picked up a smaller one.

Tenzou wriggled and bounced and Sakumo had to catch him at the waist to steady him, laughing. Tenzou grinned at Sakumo, but folded his hands in his lap and went perfectly still under a light pat.

Chapter 483: Respite

Chapter Text

“I’ve got him, sensei. Go on, it sounds important.” Kakashi rocked Naruto gently, and Minato hesitated, biting his lip. Kakashi nodded encouragingly, and Minato sighed, nodding back in thanks and reaching for the hiraishin marker closest to the outpost that had sent the report.

It wasn’t that he didn’t believe his student - he thought in his more self-pitying moments than Kakashi was better with his son than he was - Minato just. . .

Well, even if he’d never really wanted this job, it was his responsibility now, and Minato wouldn’t neglect it.

It was hours before Minato was free to make his way home, and he found it dark and empty. He frowned, then turned and headed right back towards the outskirts of the village, shaking his head slightly.

He knocked on the door and smiled when Sakumo opened it to him. “Sorry to bother you so late,” he began, even as Sakumo reached out and beckoned him inside, “but I-”

Minato fell silent at the sound of yipping giggles, turning to see Naruto sitting on the floor and lunging for the end of a fluffy tail as Kakashi all but pranced around him, keeping close enough to steady him but just far enough to make Naruto chase him.

Orochimaru stepped into view, murmuring a playful scold and kneeling to help Naruto with a cup. Naruto wrapped his hands around Orochimaru’s wrist, wide, curious eyes fixed on his face.

Minato swallowed. The scene looked very . . . comfortable. Like family. “Ah, sorry, I didn’t mean to leave Naruto with Kakashi for so long, either, thank you for watching him for me.” he said, wincing.

“No trouble.” Sakumo said gently, ushering Minato into the main room. “Though Naruto may be a little riled up to sleep just yet. I imagine you haven’t stopped for dinner, have you?”

“Ah- No?” Minato said, startled into answering.

Sakumo hmmed chidingly and shooed Minato to the couch before he quite thought of a response. A moment later Naruto was climbing into his lap, Kakashi settling back in human shape near his feet with a grin, and Minato found himself helpless to demur when Orochimaru told him the guest room was waiting for them both and Sakumo scolded him and offered dinner in the same breath.

Kakashi shouldered Minato's legs lightly, cocking his head and catching Minato’s eye. He raised his brows, and Minato sighed, slouching into the couch. “Thank you.” he said simply, his throat tight. He’d handled so much on his own in the past year-

Minato cuddled his son closer, nodding in vague response to a question he only half heard. It was nice, he thought as he found himself ushered to the kitchen and the table, Naruto settled in Orochimaru’s arms this time, to be looked after a little himself, and not need to decide anything.

Chapter 484: Midnight Noises

Chapter Text

“Hush, hush.” Sakumo soothed, rocking his cub as he rose. “Let’s go see what that is, hm?” he crooned to Kakashi, catching his interest. The fussing that had been set off by the noise from the front of the house quieted as Kakashi looked up at him with wide eyes.

Sakumo made his way out of the bedroom and towards the source of the noise. His brows rose.

“What happened to you?” he asked, bouncing Kakashi a little.

“Drinking with Tsuna.” Orochimaru groaned from the couch, shifting his arm over his face and sliding a little where he rested at the very edge of the cushions. One of his feet was propped on the arm of the couch, and the other rested on the floor.

Kakashi babbled something nonsensical, reaching out towards his mother, and Sakumo steadied him but moved closer. “Will you be all right?” he asked his mate.

Orochimaru sighed, moving his arm. “I will be fine.” he said a little more firmly, meeting Sakumo’s gaze. He inclined his head, then smiled slightly.

“And will you be coming to bed?” he asked, giving Kakashi his hand as his cub wriggled and getting small needle pointed fangs in the pads of his fingers for his trouble. Kakashi nipped and growled softly, and Sakumo laughed fondly.

Orochimaru sighed heavily, but nodded, letting his arm fall off the couch to drape down onto the floor.

“And will you be needing help to come to bed?” Sakumo teased.

Orochimaru flapped a hand at him, laughing low. “Go on back to bed. I’ll be there in a bit. I’ll wash first.”

“As you wish, lovely.” Sakumo said, reclaiming his hand from Kakashi’s grip and steadying his yawning cub as he retreated to bed. He curled up around Kakashi and had gone back to sleep before Orochimaru joined them.

Chapter 485: Midnight Nose

Notes:

. . .while typing the title for yesterday's, I accidentally typed 'Midnight Noses', and this idea was born after the laughter at the typo.

Chapter Text

Orochimaru woke with a hiss as a faintly cool, damp touch slid over his forearm. It passed by and then he felt the nudging muzzle against his side. He shifted, turning his head and seeing . . . a bulk of pale fur sticking out from beneath the kakebuton.

“What are you doing?” Orochimaru asked, lifting the kakebuton to peer at the small part of the wolf that was actually hidden beneath it.

“Cold.” Seikio whined, edging his paws closer until they brushed Orochimaru’s hip, ears tilted down pitifully.

Orochimaru closed his eyes for a moment. “It is August.”

Seikio whined again, squeezing closer.

I am not cold. The snakes are not cold.” Orochimaru told Seikio firmly, twisting to look at him.

Seikio lowered his head, edging closer still on his belly. He whined. “. . .lonely?” he said softly, eyes huge.

Orochimaru sighed, shifting a little further away from the edge of the futon, and nudged his sleeping mate in the process. Sakumo stirred with a low rumble, then made a questioning noise, nuzzling Orochimaru’s shoulder.

“This is your wolf.” Orochimaru said dryly, and Sakumo made a confused noise, blinking.

“Snuggle?” Seikio asked, ears perking slightly. “Cold.” he said again, which was ridiculous.

“What?” Sakumo frowned. “. . .it’s hot.”

Seikio whined again, and Orochimaru snorted. “Oh, very well.” He lifted the kakebuton higher and beckoned. Seikio yipped softly and wriggled into the space made, tucking himself snugly against Orochimaru’s side and resting his muzzle on Orochimaru’s chest, giving him an adoring look.

Sakumo rubbed his ears and he turned the look on his summoner, grinning, tail wagging.

“You won’t be too hot?” Sakumo asked, yawning.

“I don’t get too hot.” Orochimaru said, which wasn’t quite true, but certainly being snug between his mate and one of Sakumo’s wolves would not be too much for him. He smoothed a hand over Seikio’s shoulder, amused as he noted the kakebuton still didn’t quite cover Seikio completely.

The wolf seemed happy, however, snuggled against his side and sighing softly.

Orochimaru let his fingers curl into Seikio’s soft fur and closed his eyes.

Chapter 486: Self-Study

Chapter Text

Sakumo checked Kakashi was as content as he could be in his sling before proceeding into the library; they wouldn’t be there for long, and hopefully Kakashi would remain content and quiet long enough for Sakumo to locate the file he needed and leave.

Kakashi babbled quietly in Sakumo’s ear, one hand tangled in his ponytail, and Sakumo grinned as he searched out the right cabinets. He paused on the way back, taking a turn out of his way towards one of the study tables.

“Weren’t you supposed to be working in the fields with your sensei today?” Sakumo asked quietly, and Minato jumped, raising his head.

“Oh! Erm. . . Yes. . .” Minato admitted, rubbing at the back of his neck. Sakumo raised his eyebrows. “We weren’t learning anything new. . . Or anything much at all, he was talking about his book. . .”

Sakumo grumbled low in his throat and Kakashi whined curiously, nuzzling at his shoulder. “He dismissed you, then?”

“Ah, well, there was- Oro-sensei taught me a diverting genjutsu this week?” Minato said tentatively, and Sakumo stilled, then smothered a laugh. “So I think he thinks we’re still there? Although it shows what you want, so. . .”

Sakumo would bet that Jiraiya was not seeing his students in his mind, then. “Study well, then, nikkou.” he encouraged, and Minato brightened again. “Why don’t you come for dinner tonight, and you can tell Orochimaru how you used what he taught you?”

Minato grinned, nodding. “I will! Thank you.”

Kakashi gave a little growling yip, and Sakumo bounced him, tsking. “We had better go before we become a disturbance; see you this evening, nikkou.”

Chapter 487: Displaying

Chapter Text

Sakumo arched his back, stretching out his wings. He was only a little overemphasising; showing himself off.

He may have won his mate years before, but Sakumo couldn’t quite help displaying for him even now. Tipping his head down as he lowered his wings, folding them once more, he glanced around with a smile tugging at his lips.

Orochimaru was conferring with his teammates, but his eyes were on Sakumo, and his wings arched just a little. Sakumo drew himself up, lifting his head, and met his mate’s gaze with a grin.

Orochimaru’s lips curved into a lazy smirk as he swept an appreciative look over Sakumo before turning away.

Chapter 488: Howling Lessons

Chapter Text

“Come on! You can do it!”

Orochimaru put down the teapot and moved across the kitchen to the doors, which were slightly open. He peeked out without opening them the rest of the way.

Kakashi crooned at the wolf cub barely stable on their paws before him. The cub yipped and whined in little gasping breaths, and Orochimaru watched curiously.

Kakashi stroked their chest and shoulder, then took a breath and tipped his own head up, giving a soft howl. When he fell silent he shifted around, lying on his belly on the engawa, almost nose to nose with the cub. “Now you!”

The cub gasped and yipped, easing into a squeaky sound that was not entirely dissimilar to the tiny howls Kakashi had begun with, several years ago. Orochimaru smiled fondly at the memory as much as the sweet little tableau outside.

A warm hand brushed over his lower back, and Orochimaru tilted his head, making room for the expected soft kiss that followed. “What’s going on?” Sakumo asked, and Orochimaru brushed his fingers over his mate’s stomach.

“Howling lessons, it seems.” he returned, voice low, and Sakumo chuckled in his ear.

Chapter 489: Worrying Farewell

Notes:

At the moment I'm still planning to trundle on with daily updates here, but tomorrow also kicks off Sakumo Week, and I have a lot planned for that as well! (Most of which, of course, features SakuOro. ;) )

Chapter Text

“Not sure,” Orochimaru shook his head, frowning, “the mission brief is . . . worryingly thin.”

Sakumo made a gruffly displeased sound, and Orochimaru sighed, fingertips trailing over his mate’s hand and wrist idly.

“No, I’m not best pleased either.” he admitted, and Sakumo subsided a little. “Still. Sarutobi-sensei orders, and thus. . .”

“Of course.” Sakumo sighed, then leaned in to nuzzle Orochimaru’s cheek. “Be quick, but better, be safe.” he requested.

Orochimaru smiled slightly and gave him a light kiss. “Best, I’ll be clever.” he promised, and Sakumo’s lips twitched towards a smile.

“Of course. You always are.” Sakumo brushed a caress over his cheek. “I’ll miss you.”

Orochimaru kissed him again, then rose. “And I, you.” He stroked Sakumo’s cheek before walking away, answering his teammates’ calls for him.

Chapter 490: Unkind

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

"Is that . . . Gai?" Orochimaru asked, squeezing his eyes closed and turning in towards his pillow. It didn't do much to drown out the sounds of what was probably sparring in the back garden. Gai did frequently come to spar with Kakashi, often rather early.

"I can't tell." Sakumo groaned. "He's not shouting."

Orochimaru twisted towards his mate. "That is rather unkind, for you. . ."

Sakumo whined sulkily and nestled closer to Orochimaru's side. Orochimaru shifted a bit, stroking his temple and down his hair to squeeze the nape of his neck. "Hangover?"

"Little one." Sakumo mumbled into his collarbone, and Orochimaru hummed. "Speaking of unkind. . ."

Orochimaru laughed, and Sakumo whined again, huffily. He resumed petting his mate and Sakumo swiftly went pliant against him once more, sighing.

Notes:

Sakumo Week has begun, and my first work for it, Everything (a SakuOro featuring Dan POV) is up~ First of many new SakuOro works from me coming this week, the next of which will be up this evening. ^.^

Chapter 491: Memorial

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Where’s Daddy going?”

Orochimaru hummed, moving over to his son. Sakumo was stepping off the engawa, looking solemn, a stick of incense in his hand. Orochimaru scooped Kakashi up when he made to follow, crooning and cuddling him close. “Not right now, cubling.” he said gently.

Kakashi whined curiously, looking up at him. Orochimaru bounced Kakashi, watching his mate walk away, towards a quiet area near the back of the compound. Where there was a peaceful memorial for a very old companion.

“Your Dad is going to talk to an old friend.” Orochimaru said gently, stroking Kakashi’s hair. “One who is gone.”

Kakashi looked confused, and Orochimaru kissed his brow. “I’m sure your Dad will show you, when you’re a little older. For now, let him be alone.” He stroked Kakashi’s cheek with his thumb. “I’m sure he would like it if you cuddle with him when he comes back in, though.”

Kakashi make a little grumbly sound and Orochimaru smiled, moving away from the shoji and sliding it closed.

Notes:

. . .I still had Touben and his grave in mind from the sad piece I posted for Sakumo Week earlier today, Goodbye.

Chapter 492: Hitai-ate

Chapter Text

“Sakumo!”

Sakumo glanced up from his cub with a grin at the booming call. Orochimaru slipped past his teammates to approach first, bending to kiss the top of Kakashi’s head, fingers running through his hair, then Sakumo’s cheek.

“Hello, wolf-heart.” Orochimaru murmured, and Sakumo nuzzled him in return before he pulled away, settling on the bench on Kakashi’s other side. Kakashi giggled and leaned towards him, little nose twitching.

“Hello, lovely.” he returned softly. He raised his voice. “I ordered already.” He tilted his head towards the open stall not far away as the others sat down.

“Great, I’m starving.” Tsunade said, linking her fingers and stretching her arms high over her head.

Jiraiya had his mouth open but his eyes wandered and he didn’t speak. Sakumo swallowed back a gruff noise and rolled his eyes, turning his attention to his mate.

“Where is your hitai-ate?” Tsunade asked, startling him.

“Oh.” Sakumo lifted Kakashi from the bench beside him and he giggled, waving his hands; Sakumo’s hitai-ate was clutched in one of them. “He was very determined.”

Kakashi laughed and brought Sakumo’s hitai-ate to his chest, tugging at the loose tie at one side with his free hand.

Chapter 493: Calligraphy

Chapter Text

“What are you doing, Dad?”

Sakumo paused, lifting his brush and rolling his wrist to keep the heavy, gathering droplet of ink from falling to his paper. “Calligraphy.” he told his cubs, turning to look at them lined up beside his desk.

Kakashi’s nose wrinkled, and Sakumo laughed, shaking his head. Tenzou’s little fingers curled over the edge of the desk and he stretched up taller, eyes wide.

Sakumo cocked his head. “Would you like a closer look, my sapling cub?”

Tenzou reached out immediately, and Sakumo put down his brush and scooped Tenzou up into his lap, tucked between himself and his desk.

Tenzou hummed quietly, hands on the desk as he leaned forwards, looking closely. Sakumo pulled his hair back before it could fall into the still-wet ink.

“Pretty words?” Tenzou asked, pointing.

Sakumo grinned, then kissed the top of his head. “That is what calligraphy is all about. Making words very pretty.” He paused. “. . .and tradition.”

Tenzou clapped happily, and Kakashi snorted, cocking his head as his mother called from his lab. Sakumo gestured for him to go; Orochimaru had said something about working on more antivenin for their eldest today, and it was . . . an important task.

“May I try?” Tenzou asked, looking up at Sakumo, startling him. He hummed, pursing his lips, then drew a new piece of heavy paper in front of them both, wetted the brush anew, and cradled his hand around Tenzou’s on it.

Chapter 494: Teacup Timeshare

Chapter Text

Flipping his pencil across his knuckles to free his hand, Orochimaru reached for his tea, only looking up from the report he was composing when he heard a soft, protesting hiss.

Rina wriggled sulkily. “My warms!”

Orochimaru raised his eyebrows, sipping his tea. “My tea.”

Rina shifted a little, facing him more fully. “But it is warm!”

“It is my tea.” Orochimaru said, shaking his head. He took another sip, then put the cup down, and Rina wound herself around it promptly with a little contented sound.

Orochimaru laughed softly and returned to his report.

He hummed as hands slid over his shoulders, tilting his head to make room for a soft kiss at his throat. “You know,” Sakumo said in his ear, “I could get her a cup of hot water to curl around instead.”

Orochimaru smiled, reaching up and smoothing his fingers over his mate’s hand. “It’s fine.” He looked up at Sakumo, then reached further, caressing his jaw and drawing him into a soft kiss.

Chapter 495: Irrepressible Bang

Chapter Text

Sakumo barely flinched at the sound of the explosion that rattled the walls. “Kakashi, would you go collect-”

Another loud bang and the rattling aftershocks interrupted him.

“Got him.” Kakashi promised, rising gracefully and tossing his book backwards onto the cushions where he’d been sitting. Sakumo could faintly hear Deidara laughing gleefully outside, and shook his head slightly, a fond smile tugging at his lips even if his cub was practising too close to the house.

“Sorry, Dad.” Tenzou said, and Sakumo crooned soothingly, stroking his brow. “I was supposed to be-”

“Hush.” Sakumo said firmly. “It’s not your fault you’re ill, any more than it’s your mother’s fault his mission got extended, or-”

Another bang.

“It is kind of Deidara’s fault that-” Tenzou broke off with a string of sneezes.

“Yes, well.” Sakumo laughed. “That’s . . . your baby brother for you.” He paused and cocked his head; Kakashi was corralling Deidara, he could faintly hear his eldest’s voice now. There were no more explosions.

The boys didn’t come back in either, and Sakumo assumed Kakashi had taken Deidara off somewhere a little safer to practise.

Chapter 496: Potting a Shrublet (potted shrublet)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Daiji cocked his head, pulling away as Seikio yipped and pranced off just ahead of playfully snapping jaws and moving to inspect his summoner’s younger cub. Kakashi chased after Seikio determinedly, tail wagging.

Tenzou made a muffled sound and tucked his knees up tighter, a vine wound around his arm and cuddled up to his face. Daiji had thought it was one of his summoner’s mate’s snakes at first, but it was only a vine. With a small golden flower against the cub’s cheek.

Daiji looked around as he heard the scrabble of running paws, then bent and closed his teeth on the back of Tenzou’s shirt, lifting the cub easily. He was still quite small. He carried the cub carefully out of the area they had been playing in, finding a large pot nearby only perhaps two-thirds full of earth and holding only a small sapling.

Daiji deposited the cub in it, nuzzling him gently as he stirred, and he yawned, blinking, then smiled. “Wolfie.” he said, patting Daiji’s muzzle a little clumsily, and then fell asleep again.

Daiji wagged his tail happily, licked the cub’s cheek, and bounded off to rejoin the games.

Chapter 497: Out of Pot (potted shrublet)

Chapter Text

“Where is our other cub?” Sakumo asked with a flicker of concern, glancing back at his mate. Kakashi was safely in his mother’s arms, panting from exertion but clearly happy and well.

Orochimaru frowned, fingers slowing as he rubbed the nape of Kakashi’s neck.

“I’ll get him!” Daiji said, and Sakumo’s brows rose as he bounded off, practically prancing. He went to a large pot a few paces away from the engawa and leaned into it, and Sakumo stared as Tenzou stirred, peeking up over the rim of the pot.

“Our cubling appears to have been planted.” Orochimaru said dryly, and Kakashi giggled.

Daiji got firm hold of Tenzou by his shirt, lifting him out of the pot and bringing him to them. Sakumo took his cub from his wolf, but eyed Daiji dubiously. “Why was my cub in a flower pot?” he asked.

“He was under paws!” Daiji said, tail wagging. “Tucked him in safe!”

“In a pot.” Orochimaru observed quietly, a ripple of amusement in his voice.

“He was sleeping.” Daiji explained, and Sakumo shook his head slightly, brushing dirt off Tenzou’s face and arms.

“He is dirty.” Sakumo rubbed at a more stubborn smudge on Tenzou’s cheek as he yawned.

“. . .sapling?” Daiji said uncertainly.

“Cubs are often dirty.” Yura observed, stretching lazily. “Even ones without a tendency to put out roots.”

Chapter 498: Sparks on a September Night

Chapter Text

Yura blinked lazily, watching the sparks rise in a dizzying little swirl from the broad brazier nestled in the rocky circle among the undergrowth. The night was not cold, but the fire eased the slight chill the air did carry.

Across the flickering flames her summoner stretched out with his mate leaning into his side, tail wagging lazily from time to time as his mate stroked him. Yura smiled.

Behind her there was the commotion of playing cubs who had yet to run out of energy; her own, her sister’s, and her summoner’s all tumbling together. Occasionally they knocked each other into her, and she sent them away again with a gentle swat.

Ichirou pranced up to her, and Yura crooned, amused, but allowed him to tuck himself close up against her breast as her own cubs curled together a little nearer the fire.

Kakashi passed around the fire towards his parents, his mother reaching out with a languid gesture of welcome. Kakashi wriggled happily under the stroke of his mother’s hand, and Sakumo lifted his head, nuzzling his cub.

Kakashi yawned, tucking himself against Sakumo’s side easily, beside his mother’s hip, and Sakumo put his head down on his paws once more, meeting Yura’s gaze.

Chapter 499: Showing Promise

Chapter Text

“What do you think of them?”

Sakumo lifted his head, surprised. “Ah? . . .oh. They’re your students, lovely.” he said after a moment.

Orochimaru shifted, arching an eyebrow. Sakumo sighed, thinking about the skinny little genin he’d met today trailing after his mate.

“. . .has Sandaime forgotten that more than one promising - or decent - student can be on a single team?” Sakumo’s voice was sharp. “Or have the Academy standards merely slipped so severely?”

Orochimaru snorted, then tilted his head. “Sandaime formed both my own team as a genin,” he paused, not quite grimacing, “and your own.”

“Our teams weren’t so sloppily formed.” Sakumo said, lip curling.

“Perhaps he did not wish to do better with the team he assigned to me.” Orochimaru said softly. “He didn’t wish to give me a team to begin with.”

Sakumo’s hackles prickled at the bitter hurt in the words, and he moved to his mate’s side. Orochimaru sighed, looking away, and Sakumo smoothed a hand over his forearm, down to clasp his own.

Orochimaru met his gaze again, tension easing a little. “They’re mine now.” he said, and Sakumo grinned.

“That they are. I’m sure you’ll make something of them.” he said encouragingly. Orochimaru was a good teacher, though he’d been given little opportunity to display it through official channels before now.

“We shall see.” Orochimaru said, fingertips trailing a slow spiral around Sakumo’s knuckles. “At least there is one promising student, to begin with. . .”

Chapter 500: Grouchy

Notes:

. . .I admit, when I started posting these May of last year I did not imagine I'd get to 500 daily updates in a row, no matter how much I love this ship (and pack/family). o.o

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Yes?”

Sakumo stared up at Uchiha-sama, wide-eyed. He glowered back, crossing his arms over his chest, his broad shoulders filling the doorway.

“Ah- Hello, Uchiha-sama.” Sakumo bowed, tugging at his ponytail where it fell over his shoulder. “I’m- I was hoping-”

“Sakumo!” Orochimaru peeked around Uchiha-sama, and his posture eased a little as he looked down.

“Oro!” Sakumo grinned, then let out a startled yip as Orochimaru darted out across the engawa to him. He hurriedly wrapped his arms around his friend, burying his face in Orochimaru’s hair and breathing him in. He crooned contentedly and Orochimaru laughed.

“Your friend, I suppose, snakeling?” Uchiha-sama asked dryly, and Sakumo cleared his throat, feeling warmth creep into his cheeks.

“Yes, Mada-ji.” Orochimaru said, dipping his head as he drew back a little. He didn’t let go of Sakumo, however.

“Well, I suppose he ought to come in then.” Uchiha-sama stepped back, gesturing. “Hatake-kun.”

“Thank you, Uchiha-sama.” Sakumo said, but glanced sideways at Orochimaru as his friend pulled him inside. “Sorry, is he . . . angry with me?” Sakumo asked quietly as Uchiha-sama moved away; he couldn’t think why Uchiha-sama might not like him specifically, unless Sakumo’s clan had somehow displeased him in the past.

“Just grouchy in general.” Orochimaru said, looking amused. “Come on.” He clasped Sakumo’s hand and drew him on through the house, and Sakumo followed willingly, linking their fingers.

Notes:

(In which Reimiryoku asked Tobirama to take care of Orochimaru for her if anything happened to her, and thus he now lives with his 'uncles' Madara and Tobirama. . .)

Chapter 501: A Friend

Chapter Text

“Tobi-sensei?”

Tobirama looked up with a smile, beckoning Orochimaru into his study. Orochimaru returned the smile with one of his own, small and uncertain but very like his mother’s.

Tobirama invited Orochimaru to sit, moving from behind his desk to settle on the comfortable couch under the window beside the child. He was surprised when Orochimaru asked permission for his friend to visit, and while assuring him his friend was welcome as often as he liked, made a note to discuss it with Madara.

“We would like to meet your friend, but this is your home, Orochimaru.” Tobirama said gently, reaching out and smoothing Orochimaru’s hair, tucking one lock back beyond his shoulder. “You may always extend a welcome to your friends.”

Orochimaru gave him a brighter smile, eyes warm. “I think you already know him, Tobi-sensei. Hatake Sakumo.” he said, tipping his head down briefly.

Hatake. Tobirama grinned, placing the name among his cousins’ clan immediately; a wild, wilful, but good-natured cub slightly older than Orochimaru. “I do indeed, though not well.” he agreed, squeezing Orochimaru’s shoulder. “I’m happy you have a good friend in him.”

Orochimaru nodded, smile lingering, and Tobirama coaxed a little more about their friendship from him, happy to listen to Orochimaru ramble under, for once, happy circumstances.

Though he hadn’t known of their friendship, he was not surprised that Orochimaru’s closest friend was a Hatake - and he couldn’t deny he was pleased to hear of it as well. Hatake would not be disquieted by any of Orochimaru’s serpentine traits, and Tobirama was . . . personally well aware that nothing would convince one to give up a person they chose as pack.

Tobirama knew Orochimaru had that security in himself and Madara, in the wake of his mother’s death, but it was a relief to think he had it in a peer as well.

Chapter 502: Sapling Search

Chapter Text

“Do you have any idea where your brother is?” Sakumo asked, and Kakashi hesitated, one paw in the air, and then shook himself, sitting down. “No?”

Kakashi yipped agreement, and Sakumo sighed. Kakashi shifted, cocking his head. “He was over there with Daiji.” He pointed. “Then Daiji came back.”

“Thank you.” Sakumo said, and shooed his cub inside to wash up before lunch.

Sakumo frowned, then headed to the row of pots below the far end of the engawa. Daiji had put their little sapling in one before. . . There were a number of them that would be big enough for a toddler.

Sakumo looked in several pots - empty, full of dirt, holding saplings or herbs or succulents or spills of flowers - and wondered if it was silly. Something moved beneath a layer of leaves and he pulled aside a heavy branch to reveal a sleepy serpent.

Sakumo apologised for disturbing them and moved on, though he wasn’t entirely sure whether the creature had been one of his mate’s summons or not, as they hadn’t woken enough to speak.

The next pot in the line was lying on its side, and Sakumo crouched, then breathed a sigh of relief as he saw Tenzou curled up in it, dirt smeared on his face and his shirt a little loose. Probably from one of the wolves carrying him by it again.

“Hello, my little sapling cub.” Sakumo said softly, reaching in and gently lifting his cub out. Tenzou stirred sleepily, yawning, and blinked up at him, then grinned. Sakumo grinned back and kissed his brow. “You have got all dirty again.” he said lightly as he rose, tipping the pot back upright with one foot.

Tenzou giggled and grabbed at his hair, and Sakumo bounced him playfully, heading back inside.

Chapter 503: Thought You Were. . .

Chapter Text

Sakumo.” Orochimaru hardly recognised his own voice, feeling as though it had been wrenched out of him.

“Oro. Mate.” Sakumo responded, voice warm and low, closing with him and nuzzling his cheek, breath tickling his jaw.

“I- I thought you were dead.” Orochimaru said thinly, reliving the moment he had been given the report.

“Well,” Sakumo breathed in deeply, nose against his jaw, then sighed, “here I am-”

“Don’t- Don’t you ever leave me under that impression again, or I swear when I find you again you will be.” Orochimaru snapped, hands sliding over Sakumo’s sides, pulling him close.

Sakumo made a soft, confused sound, then nuzzled his cheek. “I’m sorry, lovely.”

“You will be.” Orochimaru said sharply. “Because I will bite you and you will not enjoy it, I-” His voice cracked and he shook his head slightly.

“I promise,” Sakumo said, kissing his cheek and nuzzling his ear, “to do my very best never to die, lovely.”

“Yes you do.” Orochimaru agreed, hugging him tight, chest hitching a little and eyes burning as he buried his face against Sakumo’s hair.

Chapter 504: Birthday Morning

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Kakashi yawned as he rubbed a hand through his hair, clinging absently to Karei, who was wrapped in turn around his arm and shoulders. “Ohayou. . .” he mumbled, blinking sleepily at his parents, sitting at the table.

“Kakashi!” Dad greeted with a grin, releasing Mama’s hand and turning towards him.

“Happy birthday, precious.” Mama said, and Kakashi blinked, then grinned. Still half-asleep, he’d forgotten. Mama smiled, and Kakashi went to them, laughing as Dad swept him up into a hug.

“Happy birthday, cub.” Dad kissed the top of his head, and Kakashi snuggled into his chest, whining happily.

Notes:

No snekwolf parents featured, but I also have a proper story up for Kakashi's birthday, with a very much adult Kakashi (and his two lovers) ;) - Birthday Break.

Chapter 505: Wings against the Wall

Chapter Text

Sakumo groaned at the sight of his beautiful mate spread out before him, glossy wings half-spread against the wall, pale skin all but glowing against both dark wood and inky feathers.

Orochimaru made a soft, demanding sound, sliding his hands over Sakumo’s shoulders and drawing him in closer, wings rustling. Sakumo’s own arched pointedly - not a challenge but a display - and Orochimaru smiled, showing his vicious fangs as he panted shallowly.

Sakumo kissed him, hips rolling, dragging their cocks together. Orochimaru hissed softly, fingers tightening on his shoulders, and hooked one calf behind his hips, pulling him in hard. Sakumo broke away from his mouth with a rough growl and he grinned wickedly, burying one hand in Sakumo’s hair and biting lightly at his lower lip.

Bucking against Orochimaru and growling again as pleasure knifed through him, Sakumo kissed his lovely, fierce mate hard. Orochimaru welcomed him in, one arm winding around his shoulders, the other hand tugging gently at his hair, keeping him close as they moved together.

Chapter 506: Emergency Research

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“What are you doing, cubling?” Orochimaru asked, sliding his hands over Kakashi’s shoulders and leaning over to look at the paper spread across the kitchen table. His brows rose.

“Wishing Oji-gama was both around and more useful.” Kakashi muttered, striking out something on one of his notes and flicking a couple of pages in one of Orochimaru’s reference books.

“May I help?” Orochimaru asked, and Kakashi gestured to the mess, or perhaps the chair around the corner from him. “What are you trying to do?”

“Naruto-kun tried this,” Kakashi pulled a bigger sheet out and passed it over, “at training today. I’m trying to understand it, so I can reverse it.”

Orochimaru arched a brow. “Does it have anything to do with-”

One of the fluffy silver ears half-hidden in Kakashi’s hair flicked, and he sighed. “My entire team. And they’re worse than me. . . I left Tenzou watching them.”

“Worse than you? Further shifted?” Orochimaru paused, frowning. “Did you shift?”

“I can shift fine, but this is my new ‘normal’ for this shape.” Kakashi gestured at his ears. “The puppies are not any further changed physically, but it seems to have affected their minds.” He paused. “Naru-kun took off chasing Sakura-chan, yowling, and she scratched his face, laid it open over his cheekbone with her nails. Before that, Sakura-chan broke Sasuke-kun’s nose, and he tried to hide up a tree.”

Orochimaru shook his head slightly. “And you left Tenzou in charge of them?”

“Help?” Kakashi asked plaintively.

Orochimaru laughed softly, squeezing his wrist, and collected a pencil and a blank sheet as he looked at the fuinjutsu Kakashi had copied out. “Perhaps when he gets home we should ask your father to go help him.” he suggested idly, and Kakashi snorted, nodding distractedly.

Notes:

Naruto caused a similar issue in a story I wrote some time ago, Ears, Tails, and Instincts, and while this wasn't how I intended to revisit the idea. . . Still, perhaps they should consider themselves lucky - I was tempted to use the same fuinjutsu accident as is in my Kakashi Week story for today, Stuck. ;)

Chapter 507: Sour and Strange

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo took a breath to call out his greeting, then paused, frowning. His nose twitched and he breathed in deeply. He closed the door and shed his sandals and mission gear quietly, then made his way carefully through the house.

There was a sour, unpleasant smell, thin and not quite familiar. Sakumo smothered an impulsive growl, hackles tingling.

“. . .lovely?” Sakumo asked softly, nudging the door open and finding his mate and their younger cub curled in a heap of blankets and pillows in the centre of the glassed in nursery.

Orochimaru lifted his head suddenly, pushing up on one forearm. “Sakumo. You’re home.” he said, rubbing his face with the back of his free wrist.

“What’s wrong, lovely?” Sakumo asked, nose wrinkling as he crossed the room; the strange scent was stronger.

Orochimaru smiled weakly. “Our youngest is . . . not so strong as his brother.” he said, and Sakumo’s stomach twisted hollowly. “Tenzou is ill.”

Sakumo swallowed hard, going to his knees. “. . .only ill?” he asked cautiously, his hackles prickling as he remembered unknown ANBU stalking his family for months after they had brought Tenzou home.

Orochimaru stroked his shoulder, nodding. “It is . . . only a virus.” he said, and shifted a little as Tenzou began to cry in his sleep, gathering their cub up and rocking him. “It has been very hard on him, however.”

“And you.” Sakumo filled in, cupping his mate’s cheek. Orochimaru looked exhausted; he could hardly grow any paler, but his eyes were dull and heavy-lidded, his hair was knotted back messily and didn’t shine with its usual inky gleam, and his movements lacked just a touch of his usual grace. It likely wouldn’t have been noticeable to just anyone, but Sakumo knew his mate’s every breath and gesture.

Orochimaru raised a surprised look to meet his eyes, then sighed, and Sakumo pulled him in gently. He slumped forwards, resting his brow on Sakumo’s shoulder, nodding a little.

Sakumo supported his arms around Tenzou with one arm, and wrapped the other around his mate, rocking them and trying not to fret too obviously as he asked Orochimaru to tell him how their cub had been.

Notes:

Tenzou is lacking some of the constitution of the Hatake or Yashagoro . . . not to mention the way he spent his early months, at least, was not best geared to a strong immune system. >.> Oro's doing his best for his shrublet, but there's some things lacking there.

Chapter 508: Staring

Chapter Text

“Lovely!” Sakumo nuzzled his mate’s cheek, sliding a hand over Orochimaru’s hip and, when the touch was well-received, wrapping his arm around his mate’s waist.

“Hello, darling.” Orochimaru returned softly, leaning into him just a little. Sakumo kissed him, heart light and warm, delighted to be with him again.

It wasn’t until he drew back a little, rubbing their noses together, then straightening, that he realised. . . Sakumo skimmed a glance over the room without turning his face away from his mate. “People are staring. . .” he said quietly.

“Probably because you’re all up in his space and Orochi hasn’t bitten you.” Jiraiya said cheerfully, clapping him on the shoulder. “Here, c’mon and get a drink with us!”

Orochimaru rolled his eyes, but he tugged Sakumo along to follow Jiraiya towards the table where Tsunade was already sitting with a stunning number of sake bottles before her. Sakumo hoped that Jiraiya and Orochimaru had been with her. At least.

The other ninja in the bar continued to stare, and Sakumo resisted the urge to either snarl at them or do something childish like stick out his tongue. He ignored them, cosying up to his mate in the booth and accepting a drink from Jiraiya, and a steaming plate, a few minutes later, from a server.

Chapter 509: Late Mission Report

Chapter Text

“But- Dad. . ?” Kakashi tugged at his sleeve and Sakumo startled, looking away from his report to find Kakashi looking up at him, eyes wide, whining softly.

“Oh- Cub.” Sakumo swallowed, wavering.

Kakashi was swept up off his feet and Sakumo blinked, looking up. Orochimaru cradled their cub against himself, murmuring soothingly. “Dad needs to finish this before he can join us, precious.”

Kakashi whined softly and Sakumo truly, truly wished he had a tiny sliver less devotion to his duty. It was sorely tested as it was. Perhaps. . .

“That was due yesterday.” Orochimaru said, toying with Kakashi’s hair and meeting Sakumo’s eyes with a knowing look.

Sakumo realised he was whining himself only when Orochimaru bent close, knuckles brushing his cheek, and kissed his brow. “Finish your work so you can come and play, my love. We’ll be waiting.”

Sakumo’s throat tightened, his eyes fixed on his lovely mate as Orochimaru straightened and began to move away, their cub cradled in his arms. “Won’t we, precious?” he asked Kakashi playfully, glancing over his shoulder at Sakumo with a smile.

Sakumo shook himself and forced his attention back to his very boring mission report as his mate and cub continued out of earshot, out into the garden.

Chapter 510: Threads of Life

Chapter Text

“Mama? Can I see?”

Orochimaru hummed, tilting his head to look at his eldest son. Kakashi gave him a wide-eyed, hopeful look, fingers curled over the arm of his chair.

“Please?” Kakashi asked, peering at his arm.

Orochimaru’s lips twitched, but he put his book down and pushed away from his desk. Kakashi bounced happily even before Orochimaru held out his arms in offer.

Kakashi pushed his sleeves up, baring the maze of swirling lines there, all the colours woven into Orochimaru’s soul. Kakashi trailed light fingertips over them, tracing the patterns with awed care.

He started with the gold that was so like the strongest thread on both Sakumo’s and Kakashi’s own arms - for now, at least; Kakashi would, no doubt, gain stronger bonds in the future himself. But for now, he carried the gold of Orochimaru’s heart stronger even than the storm-silver of his father.

As Orochimaru had carried his own mother’s gold stronger than anything for many years - until it had been surpassed by storm-silver of Sakumo, and then joined by the similar but slightly bluer tracery of Kakashi. And now. . .

Kakashi’s fingers skipped across to the rich green that represented his brother, following it until he trailed over to a shimmering grey. More promise than colour.

“Otouto?” Kakashi asked, looking up at Orochimaru with wide eyes.

Orochimaru smiled, reclaiming one hand to brush over his stomach, which was only showing the faintest promise of his third child - his second pregnancy, he thought wryly - itself. “Yes. Your otouto or imouto.” Already leaving their imprint on Orochimaru’s heart, reflected in the colours of soul threads he carried.

“What colour will be?” Kakashi asked, climbing into Orochimaru’s lap carefully.

He wrapped his arms around his son with a soft sigh. “We won’t know until they’re born, precious. Maybe not for some time after that.” He kissed the top of Kakashi’s head, cuddling him close and laughing as he snuffled at Orochimaru’s stomach. “Not every little one is so sure of themself as you were.”

Kakashi glanced up with a grin and Orochimaru tickled under his jaw, making him giggle.

Chapter 511: Home (If Not Mine)

Chapter Text

Jiraiya found himself relaxing the moment the door opened, revealing a familiar lean figure with a sharp smile. He hadn’t realised he was so. . .

“Welcome home.” Orochimaru said, and Jiraiya startled. This wasn’t his home - not that he particularly had one, nor that he was particularly bothered by that - but on the other hand. . . This place, not only Konoha itself but his best friend’s home, may well be the closest thing he had. “Are you coming inside?”

Jiraiya huffed, shaking off his idle thoughts, and accepted the invitation. Kicking off his geta, he looked around pointedly at knee level. “Any new little ones around?” he asked.

Orochimaru laughed, sharp and acidic. “One time, Jiraiya. Once that you returned to find we had a new son while you were away. Which you were for months, may I remind you.”

“Mm.” Jiraiya eyed him suspiciously. Once that Orochimaru had somehow produced a mysterious infant with a long-missing, incredibly rare kekkai genkai - an infant who looked nothing like Orochimaru, his husband, or their son. “And once you were pregnant when I came home. Which I didn’t even know you could do.” He eyed Orochimaru’s midsection.

Orochimaru laughed again, pushing Jiraiya towards the kitchen. “No new little ones.” he said dryly. “Honestly. Kakashi is out on a small trip with his father - they’ll be home tomorrow - and Tenzou is asleep in the nursery.” he added.

Jiraiya let Orochimaru move him - it was always, always easier to allow his teammates to have their way from their first attempts - and soon found himself sitting with a cup of coffee at the table, Orochimaru opposite him.

. . .it might not be his home, but it felt warm and welcoming all the same, and Jiraiya grinned, leaning back in his chair and meeting his best friend’s surprisingly warm, curious eyes.

Chapter 512: Not So Bad (If Not Mine)

Notes:

. . .so, (If Not Mine) yesterday wasn't actually supposed to denote an arc, this time, but Jiraiya had a little more to say . . . there may be more tomorrow as well, in a loose maybe-continuity or maybe-just-theme. We'll see!

Chapter Text

Jiraiya hung back a little as Orochimaru stepped into the glass-walled nursery - he could be mistaken, because there were a fucking lot, but he thought there were more plants in it than there had been last time he was here. He eyed the boy curled in a heap of pillows, a russet-and-silver wolf buried in them alongside him.

“Hello, little one. Have a good sleep?” Orochimaru asked, his voice not only warm but soft around the edges in a way Jiraiya had never heard until the first time he’d heard Orochi singing to his eldest.

Tenzou wriggled, smiling, and sat up. He yawned, looking faintly startled by it, and Jiraiya laughed.

Tenzou jumped, looking around, past Orochimaru. “Oji-gama!” he cried, grinning, and scrambled to his feet - he nearly fell, but Orochimaru put out a hand to steady him, and the wolf lifted its head to nudge him on his way.

Jiraiya thought it prudent to move forwards anyway, make it easier for the kid. It wasn’t new but he was still . . . a little surprised by the happiness with which he was greeted.

“Hey, kid!” Jiraiya crouched, and Tenzou jumped on him. It was probably supposed to be a hug, and it was close enough - Jiraiya was a bit big to get a hold of, for someone with such small arms. He hefted the boy in his arms and rose, holding him close, and he giggled, curling his fingers into Jiraiya’s hair.

Jiraiya patted his back, returning his grin, then caught sight of Orochimaru’s warm, amused expression, and huffed. “I still don’t want one.” he said firmly.

Orochimaru snickered. “Perish the thought.”

Yours aren’t so bad, though. Jiraiya thought, looking down at Tenzou, who started babbling something that Jiraiya couldn’t really make out. He seemed happy enough just to be listened to, and Jiraiya nodded solemnly.

He ignored Orochimaru’s knowing look and the nagging suspicion that he knew exactly what Jiraiya was thinking.

Chapter 513: Flowers

Chapter Text

Sakumo grumbled a little as he came awake, not entirely sure he wanted to be. He could hear the low murmur of voices somewhere nearby, just foggy enough - maybe he could get back to sleep for a little longer. . . - that he couldn’t make out individual words.

It was no use, however, sleep was ebbing further and further away with every breath.

After another few moments the voices cleared into something more understandable; Orochimaru was telling Kakashi something about kanzashi and flowers. Coming in the middle and still sleepy, Sakumo wasn’t quite sure if it was referencing the messages that could be shown in them or the poisons hidden in them. Either seemed likely.

“Dad! Ohayou!” Kakashi said suddenly, and Sakumo sighed, rolling over with a languid stretch and waggling his fingers at his mate and cub. Orochimaru smiled, amusement lighting in his warm eyes. There were an array of enamel and gemstone flowers lying across the tansu he sat beside.

“Ohayou, cub, lovely.” Sakumo yawned, closing his eyes and sprawling out a little more.

“Is Dad going back to sleep?” Kakashi asked, and Orochimaru laughed, but demurred and drew Kakashi’s attention back to the kanzashi.

Chapter 514: Insufferable

Chapter Text

Kakashi lifted his head from nuzzling Shisui’s ear, tickling his neck with whispers and little puffs of air as he laughed. That was the door, though there had been no call of greeting. His brows drew together.

Deidara slouched into view, and Kakashi’s brows rose. He looked across at his father, finding a similarly concerned frown on his face. Neither the quiet nor the posture was characteristic of his youngest brother.

“Okaeri, Deidei.” Kakashi greeted quietly, trying to catch his eyes.

Deidara scowled, lifting his head, and all but stomped across the room. They were wound up so closely together that it took Kakashi a moment to realise Deidara had stopped in front of Shisui and not himself.

“I met another Uchiha today!” Deidara all but barked, and Shisui blinked, shifting a little, fingers flexing along Kakashi’s thigh. “He was my age and I thought he might play but he was an awful weasel!”

“Oh-”

“Why wasn’t he fun like you?” Deidara demanded, glaring at Shisui. Kakashi snorted.

“Oh, I. . .” Shisui paused, frowning. He tilted his head. “Deidara. . . Did you blow up my cousin?”

“. . .erm. . .” Deidara said, fidgeting, biting his lip and tipping his head down until his fringe hid both eyes instead of just one.

Kakashi hid his face against his mate’s shoulder, laughing. Shisui sighed.

“I know your cousin, he probably deserved it.” Kakashi said, tips twitching.

Deidara grinned, pouncing on him, and Kakashi swiftly freed a hand from his mate to catch his brother more easily. “Yes! You’re the best, Aniki!”

Kakashi laughed, nuzzling his hair.

“Knowing my cousin . . . he probably did, but there are some,” Shisui paused, stroking Deidara’s hair back from his face, “problems with exploding people within the village. Mm?”

“But he deserved it!” Deidara pouted, butting his head against Kakashi’s shoulder, acting younger than he was. “Mama says. . .”

“Not that I would disagree with your mother,” Dad interrupted mildly, “but Shisui has a very good point as well. Even if one’s comrades are insufferable, one cannot go around exploding them.”

Deidara whined sulkily and Kakashi petted his hair soothingly, crooning. “Mama probably has some advice about insufferable comrades.” he suggested.

“And maybe being blown up will teach my cousin something.” Shisui muttered, and Kakashi stifled another snicker. Deidara laughed, snagging Shisui’s sleeve, and he smiled innocently, clearing his throat.

Chapter 515: Results of Reorganisation

Chapter Text

“Wolf-heart. What are you doing.” Orochimaru said mostly into his pillow, only vaguely aware of where Sakumo was but clearly able to hear him rustling about doing something unidentifiable.

“Sorry, lovely, did I wake you?” Sakumo asked softly, and Orochimaru grumbled wordlessly at the foolish question. “If you recall how Kakashi was, ah, helpfully reorganising in here. . .”

Orochimaru winced, groaning.

“Mm.” Sakumo sighed as he slid two wooden things over one another. “I’m looking for the clan codebook that was in the chest over here until this morning. Of course he would decide to do this the first time I’ve needed it in months. . .”

“Good luck.” Orochimaru said as his mate trailed off, stifling a yawn and tugging the kakebuton up a little higher. He wasn’t cold, but it was cosy all the same. He fell asleep to the continuing soft sounds of his mate rummaging through their bedroom.

Chapter 516: Banglet-interrupted Busies

Chapter Text

“But Dad!”

Sakumo just managed to keep the open weapons pouch from spilling off the table onto his youngest cub’s bare shins and feet. “I have to get these ready before I am called in for another mission,” he said patiently, “it will take a little while longer.”

Deidara pouted, his eyes wide, but he nodded, not arguing again.

Sakumo put his whetstone down and pulled Deidara in with one arm, nuzzling the top of his head. “Why don’t you go see what your mo- Aniki,” he corrected rapidly, remembering with a cold shiver what Orochimaru had said that morning about his plans for the day, “is doing?”

Deidara fidgeted, looking thoughtful, but he was already brightening. “What if Aniki is busy too?” he asked, shifting from foot to foot.

Sakumo kissed the top of his head. “Go see. If he’s busy, come back, and I’ll . . . take a break for a bit.”

Deidara nodded and Sakumo ruffled his hair, releasing him. Deidara grinned and trotted off, and Sakumo took up his whetstone, listening to the soft patter of Deidara’s footsteps heading down the corridor.

Perhaps a minute later there was a startled yip and the sounds of Deidara’s bright laugh, and Sakumo chuckled as he flipped the blade in his hand to start on the other edge.

Chapter 517: Ambush Armed

Chapter Text

Deidara slipped out of Dad’s embrace, pausing to allow the last pat of his head with a grin, then trotted out of the room. He crept past the closed door of Mama’s workroom, peeked into the glass-walled room full of plants that was mostly Tenzou’s, and had just taken a step back when he realised. . .

Deidara sidled into the room, edging behind a tall potted something with sprawling fronds, pulling one down to look around it. Kakashi was sprawled out in the cushions near the furthest corner, a book in one hand, the other resting on the silvery puddle of scales Deidara guessed was probably Karei.

Best be a little careful, then. Karei was tetchy. She only really liked Aniki, and she wouldn’t bite Deidara, but she’d get cross if he disturbed her.

Deidara edged around to the other side of the room through the tangle of plants and pots, watching as Kakashi lazily turned pages and stroked Karei between. She was awake, lifting her head and squeezing Kakashi’s wrist when he took a little longer to return his hand to her.

Deidara peeked out from the trailing greenery just as Karei tilted her head, and he froze. Her inky black tongue flicked as she watched him, perfectly still.

Deidara waited, and Karei slowly put her head down, slithering away as Kakashi’s fingers twitched into a curl and he looked after her, head cocked.

Deidara darted out while Kakashi was distracted, pouncing directly onto Kakashi’s chest. His book flew out of his hand as he yipped, jerking under Deidara - it flopped lightly on the floor, pages ruffling - and Karei was hissing something that sounded judgy.

“Aniki!” Deidara laughed as he met his brother’s eyes, and Kakashi shook his head, lips twitching, and hugged him, reaching up to tug playfully at his hair.

Chapter 518: Puppy Pounces

Chapter Text

Sakumo cocked his head, looking out the kitchen window at the back garden, where there was a small, pink and red blur pouncing on Kakashi’s shoulders.

“Lovely,” Sakumo asked, tilting his head to call over his shoulder without turning away, “has our cub picked up a small pink,” he paused, “girl?”

“Genin.” Orochimaru supplied lazily, and Sakumo blinked. “The little pink one is the civilian-born girl. Kakashi says she’s quick but needs to learn how to be trickier. And meaner.”

“Ah, of course.”

“If you keep watching you should see the little sunshine jinchuuriki, too.” Orochimaru said, sipping his tea.

Sakumo turned fully to the window just in time to see Kakashi go down in a carefully-controlled tumble, two laughing cubs on top of him. The girl pulled away, suddenly looking shy, but when Naruto nudged her the tentative smile broadened and she giggled again.

Kakashi tugged them both down into a gentle hug and Sakumo grinned, leaning against the counter. “Where’s the third one?” he asked, watching his cub get his genin up and moving again, bouncy and excited.

“He declined to stay for dinner and at the suggestion that they ‘play’ he said some very rude things.” Orochimaru said thinly. “It is perhaps fortunate that the girl had already gone to alert her parents; he already made her cry once today.”

Sakumo’s lip curled, but he shook it off. “They’re staying for dinner, then?” he asked, stretching.

“If you would prefer they not, as you only just returned home. . .”

“No, of course.” Sakumo turned his back on the window, facing his mate with a smile.

Chapter 519: A Wolf Invited

Chapter Text

“Sensei?”

Orochimaru tipped his head, gaze trailing over each of his genin in turn. Anko glanced at him, then back out into the dark beneath the trees.

“Is that a. . .”

Orochimaru smothered amusement, waiting out the anxious fidgeting.

“We’re not inside Konoha’s walls any more, are you surprised to see wolves?” Anko said harshly when her teammate seemed to be struck silent by nerves. She was rather close at his side, however, Orochimaru noted wryly, and brushed a hand over her hair.

“There are - and always have been - wolves within Konoha’s walls as well.” Orochimaru told them, eyes tracking the faintest gleam of silver fur as the hunter in the shadows made his way closer. And not only the Hatake, either, he thought wryly; there was a good deal of wilderness within Konoha.

His genin shifted and stared, wide-eyed, and Orochimaru soothed them absently, keeping his laughter quiet.

Orochimaru called wordlessly, and Sakumo appeared out of the brush - evidently much closer than his genin had anticipated, as they all yelped and jumped, even Anko - and trotted towards him.

Orochimaru buried his fingers in his mate’s fur in greeting, tugging him nearer and nuzzling his cheek, allowing himself to be companionably shoved and scented in return.

“You’re alarming the little ones.” Orochimaru advised wryly. Sakumo whuffed, tail swishing as he grinned. Then he shifted easily, folding into a comfortable position at Orochimaru’s side.

“Sometimes it is safer to invite a wolf inside than bar them out.” Sakumo said with a grin as the genin stared.

Chapter 520: Hiraishin

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Kakashi. . . What is this?” Orochimaru hooked a finger through the ring of a kunai that was definitely not Kakashi’s, pulling it out of his gear and showing off the soppy kanji decorating the handle and then the three-pronged blade.

“Oh.” Kakashi shrugged. “Sensei gave it to me so he could find me fast, if we got split up on the mission. I offered it back but he said I should hang on to it for next time.”

Orochimaru eyed the kunai. “How would this help your sensei find you?” he asked, inspecting the kanji on it. Honestly.

“He uses them as a target,” Kakashi waved his hands vaguely, “and flashes out of nowhere to go to them.”

Orochimaru stilled. “Your sensei uses the hiraishin?” he demanded.

Kakashi hummed. “That’s what he says, yes.” He nodded. “He’s already very fast, but then he just flashes. . .”

Orochimaru’s eyes narrowed, but he handed the odd kunai - the hiraishin marker - back to his son when Kakashi reached for it. “I’d like to talk with your sensei about that sometime.”

“Minato-sensei would probably love that.” Kakashi said with a snort, and Orochimaru hummed, lips quirking, and ruffled his hair. Something for later, then. Orochimaru was very interested in what he had managed - reviving the Nidaime’s work, and so well. . . The hiraishin had resisted all attempts to reengineer it, so far as Orochimaru knew - until now apparently.

But for tonight. . .

“How was your mission, precious?” Orochimaru asked, and Kakashi’s nose wrinkled, but he grinned as he hung up the last of his gear and then hooked his fingers through Orochimaru’s sash, leaning into his side.

Notes:

Orochimaru is eyebrowing at Minato's hiraishin kunai because the kanji he uses for his hiraishin marker, inexplicably, read "sword of a shinobi's love". >.>

Chapter 521: Sticker

Chapter Text

“Mmnh, hello love.” Orochimaru greeted softly, reaching out for the warmth of his mate nudging close against his side and realising he’d fallen asleep in the cushions by the table he’d been working at. He sighed.

Sakumo nosed his cheek, and Orochimaru’s nose wrinkled as he identified the smell of blood on his mate’s breath. “Mission or hunting?” he asked; Sakumo had left shortly after lunch, but it had been a short mission and Orochimaru had expected he’d be back before breakfast.

Sakumo grinned, moving closer and rubbing along Orochimaru’s side as he sat up. His tail was wagging and he stretched lazily.

Orochimaru frowned slightly, leaning away as several small, hard lumps pricked at him through his yukata. “Sakumo. . .” He pushed his fingers through Sakumo’s fur, tugging one free. “How did you even get so many stickers in your fur in one night?” he asked idly.

Sakumo rumbled softly, panting and rolling over across Orochimaru’s legs, pressing close. Orochimaru laughed, ruffling Sakumo’s fur and picking at the spiky little things as his tail thumped lightly against the floor.

Chapter 522: Teasing Invitation

Chapter Text

Orochimaru didn’t let his movements so much as hitch as he caught the tiny sound of the door sliding open. He did let the smile curve his lips; standing as he was with his back to the door, it wouldn’t show.

He stretched a little further, moving slower as he wound his hair into a twisted knot, the ends flicking ticklishly over his shoulders and neck until he wrapped more of the length up. Another tiny sound reached his ears - this time a smothered groan.

Orochimaru closed his eyes, enjoying the sound and the smelltaste on the air. He hummed, pushing his fingers through the hair beneath the knot, holding it in place as he reached for pins.

The door slid shut again behind him. He lowered his hands slowly, feeling his yukata - barely wrapped around him, still loose - slide lower over his shoulders and the hitch of breath catching.

He turned, meeting his mate’s hot gaze, and smiled again as he crooked his fingers in an anticipatory invitation. Sakumo growled softly, prowling nearer, and Orochimaru felt a warm thrill rushing upwards from the pit of his stomach.

Chapter 523: Sapwolf Stare

Chapter Text

Dan watched the lean, cold figure slip out of the room like a shadow and turned to his best friend, brows rising. Not that Sakumo’s expression was actually surprising at this point, however . . . unfathomable it was.

“How,” Dan said before he could catch back the words, “can you look at him like. . .”

Sakumo turned to look at him, the soft-eyed, warm, devoted look falling away for something sharp and displeased. Dan put his hands up in an apologetic gesture; he’d known better than to ask anyway, had for more than a year.

Dan might not be able to conceive of it, but Sakumo was absolutely gone over Orochimaru, and he didn’t take well to anything less than complimentary about the man.

“You know one day you’re going to make that face in public and shock everyone.” Dan said idly, and Sakumo laughed, showing his fangs.

“Because it’s him, or because it’s me?” Sakumo asked with a little growl, snapping his teeth playfully.

“Both.” Dan replied, dry, and Sakumo laughed again, shouldering him lightly as they made their way out of the now-empty briefing room as well.

Chapter 524: Overeager

Chapter Text

Orochimaru hissed out something unintelligible between his teeth, back arching, and Sakumo bit harder, teeth digging deeper into his mate’s neck. He tensed, clawing at the floorboards - they’d not quite made it all the way to the futon; Sakumo was faintly aware he would regret that and apologise later - and bucking beneath Sakumo’s weight.

He let himself settle more heavily on his mate and Orochimaru let out a rough little moan that was all but a purr, sinking lower beneath him. Sakumo dragged his hands over his mate’s sides, growling as his hips hitched, pressing his cock against Orochimaru’s lean thigh up to his ass.

Orochimaru’s shirt hung open but was trapped between them; Orochimaru’s trousers were a little easier to wrestle out of the way, particularly with the fluid twist of his mate shifting to help. Sakumo wrapped an arm around his mate, hand splaying wide over Orochimaru’s chest, feeling his mate’s heart beating quick and hard both under his palm and against his chest.

Sakumo jerked, growl hitching in his throat, as Orochimaru’s fingers brushed his hip, hooking in his own trousers and dragging at him. Sakumo reclaimed his hands even as his hips rolled against his mate, then arched just enough to yank his trousers open and push them down, wriggling a little to free himself, at least enough.

Orochimaru let out a soft call of his name, arching into his body, and Sakumo slid one hand up Orochimaru’s side and back, his cock sliding between lean thighs and up, pressing against his mate’s own. His first careful, rolling thrust pulled another moan from Orochimaru and a rough groan built in his own throat.

Orochimaru rocked into him, thighs tightening in an encouraging squeeze, and Sakumo tugged lightly at his mate’s neck in his teeth as he thrust a little harder, hips pressed against Orochimaru’s ass, cock dragging along the length of his mate’s own. He moaned, shivering, and sank slowly down again, Sakumo following, still lying across him.

Chapter 525: Wolf-sensei (the Second) and Puppies

Chapter Text

Sakumo moved out into the main room and Orochimaru laughed quietly as he heard his mate stifle some sort of sound - probably a croon, he thought. Because he knew what Sakumo had just seen.

Orochimaru put the basket he carried down and followed Sakumo, sliding his hands over his mate’s hips and pressing up against his back. “Oh. . .” Sakumo breathed, practically cooing. “He’s, ah, good with them.”

“I wonder where he learned that.” Orochimaru said dryly, nestling his chin on Sakumo’s shoulder and looking at their son.

Kakashi was where he had been when Orochimaru passed through earlier; lying across the floor near the cushions in his wolf form, with his three genin piled up around him - Sakura curled into a ball by his shoulders, fingers buried in his fur; Naruto on his side plastered against Kakashi’s ribs and hugging one of his slender forelegs; Sasuke tucked between his front paws, face hidden under his muzzle against his neck. They were all asleep.

Orochimaru had seen Sakumo looking after his own genin similarly, though it had been many years now. Sakumo squeezed his wrists, twisting to look at him with a pleased, slightly amused smile.

Orochimaru smiled back and kissed his cheek.

Chapter 526: Go

Notes:

Today is a Wednesday, which means it is M-night, and we are currently close to the end of watching Hikaru no Go (which I have read multiple times, and this is my second time watching; her first) together. That may potentially have influenced my thoughts when this idea occurred to me. XD

Chapter Text

“Kindly stay off the goban.” Orochimaru said lightly, scooping a splotched black and white snake off the wood and draping them around his neck instead.

“At least they are thematic?” Sakumo said lightly, offering one of the goke to his mate. “Nigiri?”

“Mm. Yet still disruptive.” Orochimaru said, tapping the snake’s nose and prompting a little offended hiss. Orochimaru took a handful of white stones from the goke and Sakumo placed two of his own down.

They counted out the stones spilled across the goban, then cleared it, and Sakumo placed his first proper move. His lips twitched as the snake wriggled higher against Orochimaru’s neck, peering down.

Orochimaru placed his stone and reached up to pet them idly, eyes on the goban.

Chapter 527: Pregnancy Nap

Chapter Text

Orochimaru groaned, bowing his head a little lower against Sakumo’s shoulder and chest, breath shallow. Sakumo’s mouth twisted and he stroked his mate’s side soothingly. “Lovely-”

“Mama? Are you all right?” Kakashi asked, nosing at Orochimaru’s back and peeking over his arm at them.

Orochimaru huffed again, but Sakumo could hear the smile in his voice as he spoke. “I’m all right; come here, precious?”

Kakashi whined, hesitating, but Orochimaru pulled away a little and Sakumo shifted to make room, and he moved down to clamber carefully over Orochimaru’s legs. He laughed, stretching out a hand, and tugged Kakashi up past the swell of his stomach to tuck their first cub between his chest and Sakumo’s side.

Kakashi nuzzled his chin, snuffling, and curled himself up small. Sakumo brushed a hand over his back, then returned to let it rest over his mate’s belly and the growing swell of their second cub.

“Feel bad?” Kakashi asked, nuzzling his mother, and Sakumo smiled slightly. It was a fair question; Orochimaru had voiced his discomfort and it was not exactly common for them to spend so much time in bed in the middle of the day either.

“I’m all right.” Orochimaru assured him again, ruffling his hair. Kakashi made a dubious noise, and Orochimaru laughed, kissing his brow. “I’m tired. Your little sibling is being exhausting today.” he said gently.

Sakumo hummed, aware that was the least of it, but that was enough for Kakashi. He made a hitching little attempt at a croon and asked questions about his little sibling, and Orochimaru was at least a little distracted by coddling him and answering them.

Kakashi put up with the coddling and petting - and the inactivity - long after he would normally have grown fidgety, and Sakumo rubbed his back fondly, mostly listening as his mate and cub spoke in soft voices, curled up to him warm and safe.

Chapter 528: A Favour (fangless and fixed)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Thank you.” Orochimaru nodded, accepting the cup of tea Haruashi slid across the table to him.

Haruashi grinned, dipping her head slightly. “What can I do for you?” she asked, seating herself opposite him.

Orochimaru smiled slightly. “I came to ask a favour.” he admitted, and his smile grew as she made a curious sound, head cocking. Her dog put his head in her lap, ear flicking towards Orochimaru, and she stroked his head, ruffling behind his ears.

“One of your jutsu.” Orochimaru said, and Haruashi snorted a laugh.

You came to me for a jutsu?” she asked dryly, and Orochimaru hummed, lips pursed, indulging her amusement. “What jutsu might I possibly know that you do not already yourself?”

“The jutsu you use for clan adoptees.” Orochimaru said softly, and her eyes widened. “You have heard about the little one my mate and I brought home with us a few months ago?”

“Oh!” Haruashi sat back in her chair.

“He feels very keenly the lack of fangs like his favourite Aniki . . . or his father, or me.” Orochimaru said, lips twisting. And unlike Tenzou, who had been through a similar phase, Deidara did not have already potentially unstable genetics to be concerned with disrupting further. “I had hoped. . .”

“Understandable. Poor pup.” Haruashi said, and sipped her tea. “You’re sure of him, I gather.”

It wasn’t really a question, but Orochimaru nodded regardless.

“Of course you are.” Haruashi hummed. “It’s a clan jutsu, but. . .”

“I would be happy for you to use it, if it would be,” Orochimaru paused, “unacceptable for an outsider to learn it.”

Haruashi inspected him with careful eyes and Orochimaru waited, still and quiet. He knew that it might also be considered unacceptable to use on an outsider, but Haruashi was not only a friend - she owed him. Orochimaru was confident that even if she would not share the jutsu with him, she would use it for Deidara at his request.

Notes:

next in arc

Question for you, duckies: were I to write minifics more about the assorted snekwolf pack cublings, particularly as adults, than the snekwolf parents with them, would you prefer to see those in a minific collection of their own, or rolled into this one?

Chapter 529: Fairy Forest

Chapter Text

“Hello darling.” Orochimaru greeted, coiling his tail a little nearer as Sakumo loped out from between the prickly brambles nearby.

He slowed, wagging his tail, and leapt lightly over the narrowing end of Orochimaru’s tail, approaching his upper body. Orochimaru stretched out a hand to his mate, lowering himself, and leaned into Sakumo’s soft warmth, fingers combing through his fur.

Sakumo sighed, settling against his body, one slim leg sliding over his hip, and licked his jaw. Orochimaru laughed, coiling closer around his mate and looking up to check on their cub. Kakashi was still romping through the undergrowth, chasing a flitting twist of sparkling motes that Orochimaru suspected were the work of a lesser fairy.

Kakashi wouldn’t hurt such a creature, and there was no malice in the air, so Orochimaru simply watched - as he had been, letting Kakashi play - and coiled cosily with his mate.

Orochimaru himself had chased lesser fairies - and some of the great fae, as well - when he was young, and perhaps had more knowledge and more faith in that knowledge than most. Besides, they were what had brought him here - led him to his mate, in a roundabout way, though he would never tell them such - and he highly doubted any of them would try to harm or steal his child, even if they would have little compunction about any other.

Chapter 530: Collared

Chapter Text

“Lovely, have you-” Sakumo’s heart clenched and his words choked off, eyes fixed on Orochimaru’s long neck.

Orochimaru turned to face him fully and Sakumo raised his gaze, confused distress tugging at him. “. . .lovely?” he asked, his voice coming out in a bit of a rasp.

“Oh.” Orochimaru crossed the room to him, brushing a hand over his forearm and clasping his wrist. “It’s all right, Sakumo.” he soothed, and Sakumo swallowed, raising a hand and then stilling.

Orochimaru caught his hand and drew it up to the narrow black collar. “I put it on myself, and it will come off when I choose.” He tilted his head, cupping Sakumo’s cheek as he tentatively brushed his fingers over the collar. “I am not a Hatake. It doesn’t pain me to wear it, with reason. For now.”

“Reason?” Sakumo rasped, and Orochimaru hummed, releasing him and reaching up to remove the collar. Sakumo’s throat felt a little less tight and his heart eased.

Orochimaru tossed the collar away and moved in close, sliding his arms around Sakumo’s shoulders and leaning into him. It was a companionable gesture that spoke to Sakumo’s wolf, asking support and trusting it be given in the simplest, most physical way. His shoulders relaxed as he wrapped his arms around Orochimaru in turn.

“Mission. It’s ridiculous but it will be simple enough.” Orochimaru said, nose wrinkling briefly. He kissed Sakumo’s jaw. “I’m all right. I won’t. . . Does it bother you so much, to see it on me, darling?” he asked softly.

“It. . .” Sakumo struggled to put into words the instinctive revulsion of it; seeing the one he loved best, the one his heart called to as mate, bound by an article that had been so turned against his clan, used as. . . “If it does not bother you. It is- I. . .”

Orochimaru hummed, low and thoughtful, then nuzzled Sakumo’s cheek, cuddling into his arms a little. “If it distresses you so severely, I will work around it, darling.”

Sakumo’s heart fluttered, relief tugging at him, but he frowned. “I shouldn’t interfere with your mission.” he said, though it was foul on his tongue.

“Mm.” Orochimaru kissed him again. “I think I can manage. I don’t want you to be distressed over me, Sakumo.” he said gently, meeting Sakumo’s eyes and giving him a small smile. “It is not an impossible adjustment.”

Sakumo swallowed thickly. “Thank you.” he said softly, and Orochimaru’s smile widened before he tugged Sakumo into a soft kiss.

Chapter 531: Midday Nap

Chapter Text

The question Orochimaru had been about to ask died on his lips as he stepped into the main room, replaced by a soft hum and a smile.

Sakumo was lying across the floor near but not actually among the lounging cushions, his front paws stretched out and his head put down upon his legs. Kakashi was still in his human shape, lying facedown on his father’s back, hands hidden in the thick fur where Sakumo’s ruff smoothed down over his shoulders.

Orochimaru hummed again, thoughtful this time, then moved over to them, steps silent. He shuffled the pillows and smiled when Sakumo flicked an ear towards him.

“Rest, wolf-heart.” Orochimaru murmured, barely a breath, and curled onto his side in the pillows, sliding a hand over Sakumo’s fur and up to stroke down Kakashi’s back. He whined softly in his sleep, snuggling closer into his father, and Orochimaru smiled and closed his eyes, settling in comfortably.

A moment later a cool, gentle caress tickled his neck and Orochimaru stifled a laugh as he tilted his jaw, allowing Sakumo to nuzzle in against him.

Chapter 532: Serpentine Embrace

Chapter Text

Sakumo’s breath caught as broad white coils wound around him, swiftly closing tight, leaving him unable to do much but breathe.

Orochimaru bent close, tongue flicking out along Sakumo’s jaw. He tilted his head until one huge golden eye was right in front of Sakumo’s face, hissing softly. Sakumo whined and Orochimaru eased the grip of his coils a little, even as he drew closer, blocking out everything else in the world with white scales.

Sakumo shifted, stroking his mate’s side, sighing as powerful muscles flexed under his legs and behind his back, cradling him. Orochimaru hissed again, coils rippling, and Sakumo reached up until Orochimaru’s great head dipped down to him once more, tongue flicking, broad jaw brushing over his upraised palm.

He kissed the top of Orochimaru’s nose and settled himself more comfortably, feeling faintly like he should be careful as he pressed against Orochimaru’s sides and simultaneously all too aware that Orochimaru could crush stone fortifications without a flinch in this shape. Sakumo was certainly not going to cause him any discomfort, climbing on him or not.

Chapter 533: In Dreams (soul dreaming)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo spread a hand on top of the bandages hiding the gash over his ribs, wishing it would stop throbbing quite so painfully and let him sleep. He was exhausted, and more than that. . .

Sakumo shifted carefully, restless. It. . . It had been a terrible day, he thought they’d barely made it through at all and that only due to their jounin-sensei’s speed and skill - and he very much wanted to be with his soulmate. He might still have yet to see them - or, at least not enough to recognise, to track them down, but at least. . .

At least they could be together, if only he could just . . . get to sleep, and fall into that shared dream.

Sakumo whined softly, then forced himself still, taking deep breaths.

It took far longer than he would have wished, but eventually he found himself lying on soft furs rather than his bedroll in camp, a gentle hand stroking his brow. Sakumo grinned, lunging upwards, then cringed, whining - his injury remained with him in the Dream, of course.

“What have you done to yourself?” his soulmate’s soft voice demanded, and Sakumo turned towards them; hazy with the magic of dreams, all he could make out was hair like ink and a figure smaller than his own, wide eyes-

Golden eyes, Sakumo realised suddenly, as they narrowed at him, and his soulmate hissed angrily and repeated the demanding question.

He reached out, but offered the story of his day anyway, and crooned when his soulmate cradled him close. He nestled into the embrace, wincing, and closed his eyes. “I hope I can find you soon.” he said softly, nuzzling a thin stomach. “I miss you so much when we’re awake. . .”

“You . . . want me?”

“More than anything.” Sakumo whined, realising he was clinging but feeling too needy to stop, with how he hurt.

He startled as lips brushed his brow, eyes snapping open.

“I’ll find you, when you return, then.” his soulmate said, and Sakumo would have shot upright if not for his injury and the fact that he would have to shove his soulmate away to do so. He sputtered a few nonsense syllables, thoughts scattered, and his soulmate laughed at him, stroking his hair. “I know who you are . . . I’ll find you when you come back to the village, Sakumo. So come back soon, and in one piece, all right?”

“I promise.” Sakumo breathed, eyes wide.

Notes:

I don't know yet if there will be a followup wherein they meet outside of the shared soulmate Dream or not. . .

next in arc

Chapter 534: Hopes (soul dreaming)

Notes:

previous in arc

 

Several of you asked me to continue yesterday's, and Sakumo was definitely eager to actually meet his mate, so we'll have a small arc ;) I don't know yet how long it will be, it may end tomorrow or may go on further. . .

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo wasn’t unreasonable - he knew that while his soulmate had promised to find him when he returned to Konoha, it was very unlikely they would meet him at the gates; they would hardly know when to expect him.

He couldn’t help but look around hopefully as they approached, though, giddy. His soulmate knew who he was. It was impossible to tell one another in the Dream, only to find out with memories and what you could see, and-

Sakumo whined eagerly, bouncing a little on the balls of his feet, ignoring the hot ache of the wound over his ribs as he searched the area around the gate - even though he knew he was unlikely to recognise his soulmate, might have walked past them, spoken to them before without ever knowing.

A figure smaller than his. Long, dark hair. Golden eyes. The most distinctive feature he had been able to remember from the Dream, ever; surely he could recognise them if only-

But they knew his name. Sakumo whined again, hopeful, and hardly heard his jounin-sensei telling him to be calm, hand on his shoulder. Soon, Sakumo hoped, heart beating quick in his chest.

Chapter 535: Recognition (soul dreaming)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo wandered a little aimlessly across the small park, sighing, then sat carefully on the edge of a fence that functioned as a bulwark, holding up earth in a shallow terrace. He didn’t really want to go home, not without finding- having been found. . .

He should go to the hospital, first, anyway, but he was waiting. It wasn’t so bad, anyway, and-

“What are you doing here?”

Sakumo twitched at the voice behind him, jolting to his feet, breath catching and heart pounding. He needed- He had to see.

A slender figure, dark hair falling forwards around their face, gleaming golden eyes. They were narrowed at him in fierce displeasure but Sakumo knew them, knew them.

“I was waiting for you.” Sakumo said blankly, scrambling up over the fence and whuffing as his ribs throbbed.

“I- What?”

Mate.” Sakumo crooned, only just restraining himself from throwing himself at his mate, winding his arms around their slender waist and tugging them in, nuzzling.

“Oh, you. . .” His mate sighed, and Sakumo whined blissfully as their arms came around him. “My idiot wolf. I heard you came in and I went to wait near the hospital, because you are injured.”

Sakumo blinked. “Oh.”

“You didn’t think of that.” his mate suggested dryly, and Sakumo shook his head, then buried his nose against his mate’s neck, sliding down towards his shoulder. The Dream muddled nuances and this was the first time he could properly scent, and his mate was here in his arms in the waking world-

Sakumo couldn’t quite contain his joy, despite the throb of the wound over his ribs and the gentle scolding filling his ears.

Chapter 536: Stay (soul dreaming)

Chapter Text

Sakumo capitulated easily when his soulmate took him by the hand and tugged him along towards the hospital, but he hesitated once they made it inside. “Will you. . .” he trailed off, ducking his head.

He startled when Orochimaru kissed his cheek, soft and fleeting.

He smiled at Sakumo, tilting his head slightly, golden eyes warm like honey. “I’ll stay with you.” he said quietly, and Sakumo grinned. “As long as you want, wolf.” He brushed his thumb over Sakumo’s hand, still held snugly in his own.

Sakumo swallowed, shifting a little. “You may not want to promise that.” he said, and Orochimaru arched his brows. “I want you to stay. I always will.”

Orochimaru’s lashes fluttered as he stiffened, glancing away, and Sakumo stifled a whine, knowing he’d been too honest, but unable-

Orochimaru tugged his hand and Sakumo raised his gaze again. Orochimaru reached up and stroked his cheek, ruffling his hair where it fell loose by his jaw. “Then I suppose I will be with you forever. My wolf.”

Orochimaru laughed as Sakumo seized him in a tight embrace, crooning against his ear, and Sakumo’s heart sang with the soft, happy sound.

Chapter 537: Before Bed

Chapter Text

Sakumo yawned, ruffling his fingers through his hair where it was drying against his temple, watching the fire.

“Sakumo.” Orochimaru called, and he blinked, looking up. “Come here.” He beckoned.

Sakumo rolled forwards onto his knees and didn’t bother rising any further, crawling across the floor to his mate. Orochimaru’s lips curled and he smoothed a hand over Sakumo’s shoulders, then turned him away.

Sakumo sighed, nudging cosily against him, and rumbled with pleasure as Orochimaru’s fingers pushed into his hair, ruffling and petting lightly.

He tipped his head into his mate’s hands, eyes returning to the fire, and soon found himself sinking back into the sleepily meditative state he had been in before.

Chapter 538: Birthday Babysitters

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Hello, precious.” Orochimaru drew Kakashi into a hug, bundle of tiny cub and all, and Kakashi nuzzled him affectionately. Sakumo rose from the table and went to join them, grinning, crooning at Airi. She giggled and reached up from her blanket.

“You’re sure you don’t mind?” Kakashi asked even as Sakumo scooped his son’s cub from his arms, rocking her gently.

“We’re more than happy to keep her for a while.” Sakumo said, lifting his head to meet his cub’s gaze. “Go spoil your mate for his birthday.” he added.

Kakashi grinned, dipping his head. “Send one of the summons for us if you need us back sooner,” he said, and they nodded, “we’ll be back in two days, otherwise.”

“Have fun, precious.” Orochimaru said, extending a hand to Airi and smiling softly when she latched onto one of his slender fingers. “Tell Shisui we said happy birthday, and we’ll have you all over for dinner when you get home.”

“Thanks, Mama, Dad.” Kakashi hugged Sakumo, crooned a farewell to his cub, and nuzzled his mother’s cheek before letting himself out the door and loping off, leaving them with the tiny cub.

Notes:

Airi has been mentioned in this collection before - she is an orphaned Uchiha that Kakashi and Shisui adopted. (And it is, of course, Shisui's birthday today, thus the inspiration for today's minific. Also, coincidentally, one of my best friends' birthdays. XD)

Chapter 539: Rustling Rival

Chapter Text

Sakumo paused, glancing down at his cub as Kakashi tilted his head, steps faltering, one ear cocking. He took a couple of paces, sniffing, then stopped, one paw in the air and muzzle tilted upwards.

Sakumo leaned against a tree, settling himself out of the way, and watched his cub investigate. Orochimaru was waiting for them, but Sakumo doubted they would be too late, let Kakashi solve whatever little mystery had caught his nose.

A bright green blur darted out of the underbrush, and Sakumo hid a grin as Kakashi yipped and bounded out of the way. The boy tumbled through the dirt but was back up in a moment. “Eternal Rival!” he shouted, whipping around to face Kakashi and deliver an apparently off-the-cuff speech.

Sakumo felt a tug of fondness that he neither hesitated nor modulated his words when faced with Kakashi on four paws rather than two feet.

He lunged at Kakashi, and Kakashi danced out of the way lightly, tail swishing as he began to grin. Gai laughed and followed after him, and Sakumo smiled, watching them play for a few minutes.

“Gai-kun, would you like to join us? We’re on our way to meet Kakashi’s mother for lunch.” Sakumo explained, well aware of how long it could take them to tire each other out if left to it on their own. They could play some more after lunch.

Gai straightened, eyes wide. “Oh! I-” Kakashi licked his forearm, and he ducked his head, grinning, ruffling Kakashi’s ears companionably. “Thank you, Sakumo-sama; I would be grateful.” He bowed.

Sakumo hummed, pushing off the tree and gesturing Kakashi and his friend on ahead of him.

Chapter 540: A World Rewound

Chapter Text

“Stop- Stop!” Orochimaru jerked out of a nightmare - a memory? He scrubbed his face, mouth twisting, and then cautiously lowered his hands and turned towards his mate.

Sakumo was stirring, probably from the noise and movement Orochimaru had made.

“Oro? Lovely?” Sakumo tilted his head, the moonlight filtering in around the slightly open shutters just picking out his bright hair and the gleam of his teeth as he spoke.

Orochimaru shook his head slightly, moving in close, sliding a hand over Sakumo’s side. He was warm and whole and alive. Those nightmarish memories were . . . remnants of another world, one Orochimaru had pushed into the background and tried to forget - they were long gone and would never happen again.

A world where Orochimaru had let curiosity and duty guide him onto a path that led away from his mate, where there had been no one but their cub to steady Sakumo when the ground began to give under his feet - where their cub had grown up, then, alone, with Orochimaru turned out and Sakumo-

Orochimaru hadn’t seen it, but he brushed a hand over Sakumo’s stomach - unbroken skin, not even carrying any scars - and tried to put the imagining out of his mind as well.

Orochimaru had turned back the clock and chosen a different path - for himself, his family, but he kept a watchful eye on the wider world as well. Adjusting things. Orochimaru would not stand for another nightmare world like that one.

Sakumo was already falling asleep again, and Orochimaru smiled, rubbing up and down his back lazily and sinking into sleep with his mate’s soft breathing to lull him.

Chapter 541: Library

Chapter Text

Sakumo looked down at the small tug at the hem of his shirt. He cocked his head.

Kakashi looked at the library door before them, then back up at Sakumo.

“We’re just here to collect your mother.” Sakumo said, resisting the impulse to scoop his cub up and hug him. Kakashi was still an affectionate cub, but he protested such things in public, these days.

Kakashi hummed, eyes wide as they stepped inside and he looked around.

“. . .we can look around a little first if you’d like to get something.” Sakumo said quietly, and Kakashi grinned, trotting off without hesitation. Sakumo shook his head, amused, and searched out his mate before going after Kakashi rather more slowly.

He found Kakashi using chakra to climb a bookshelf, and plucked him off it. “Oh no, not indoors. What did you want?” Sakumo asked, looking over the higher shelves.

“I can get it!” Kakashi huffed, crossing his arms, and Sakumo lifted him up to let him reach without climbing the furniture. Even in a shinobi library it was . . . frowned upon.

Sakumo eyed the book, but didn’t protest, keeping Kakashi balanced on his hip as he turned and headed towards where Orochimaru was still tidying up from his research.

Chapter 542: Playing Nice

Chapter Text

Sakumo. You remember our talk about- Come in!” Tobirama called, glancing away from Sakumo, who was doing a rather poor job of appearing to be contrite. “We do not chase sentient creatures unless they are enemies or they agree to play.”

“Is this an importune time?” Reimiryoku asked, and Tobirama snorted, looking up at her as she stepped through the door, her son slipping along at her heels.

“No, of course not.” Tobirama smiled. “I believe Sakumo gets the point, yes?”

“No chasing the featherbrains.” Sakumo said obediently. Tobirama raised an eyebrow. That was not entirely the point, but he supposed it would do for now.

“Ah. Have we had an adventure today?” Reimiryoku asked, voice thrumming with amusement.

“Something of one.” Tobirama agreed wryly, and his lips twitched as he noticed Orochimaru peering around his mother at Sakumo, golden eyes wide and curious. “I wonder if Sakumo can be nice and show Orochimaru out to the garden?” he asked, quirking a brow at Reimiryoki.

She pursed her lips, eyes flicking to the boy at his side, then back up to meet his own. She smiled slightly, inclining her head. She patted Orochimaru, stroking his hair, and he stepped cautiously out from the shelter of her shadow.

Sakumo grinned and crossed the rest of the distance himself, bless him. “Hello! I’m Hatake Sakumo! Do you want to play?” he asked, cocking his head and sticking out a hand. “I promise to listen to cousin Tobi and be nice.”

Orochimaru giggled, reaching out to clasp Sakumo’s hand in return. “I’m Yashagoro Orochimaru. . . I don’t always play nice.” he said with a tiny smile that held a sliver of his mother's sly, well-hidden mischief.

Sakumo grinned a little wider, showing off his fangs, and Tobirama smiled as the boys headed out to the back of the house, Sakumo leading Orochimaru with their hands still clasped.

“Shall we work out on the engawa for a bit to keep an eye on them?” Tobirama suggested, and Reimiryoku tipped her head in agreement.

Chapter 543: Wrecking the World

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Wolf-heart? Where have you been?”

Sakumo grinned as he knocked the snow off his shoulders, checking the door was securely closed before padding through into the main room where Orochimaru was lounging in the cushions near the irori, their cub curled up against his thigh.

“Nowhere important, lovely.” Sakumo said softly, because now it never would be. Orochimaru gave him a mock suspicious look, then beckoned with a graceful, almost imperious flick of his fingers, lips curling into a smirk.

Sakumo obeyed the summons gladly, dropping down and moving into his mate’s reach, then burrowing in to curl himself around Orochimaru. He sighed contentedly, stretching with a languid arch and letting Sakumo take his weight. Probably he had been smirking because he knew exactly how Sakumo would respond.

Sakumo nuzzled his mate’s throat, arms winding around him. Warm, content, safe, his.

Sakumo thought of the flashes he had seen while trapped in what Inako had assured him, with a worried look, was a genuine jutsu - if a very dangerous one. The future, she had fretted, should not be disturbed, horrified by the mere contemplation of the potential consequences.

Sakumo thought the theory of it was probably more up his mate’s alley than his own, but Sakumo was not a wolf to lie down and let the world take what was his. To let his mate grow cold and bitter with hurt, his cub grow up scarred and alone. . .

“Wolf-heart?” Orochimaru murmured, trailing his fingers over Kakashi’s hair as he snuffled in his sleep. He was so big now, Sakumo thought, heart aching with love for both of them even as he felt a faint twinge of regret; was it only just over a year ago Kakashi had been a tiny bundle of fragile newborn warmth in his mother’s arms?

“Yes, lovely?” Sakumo asked, considering for a moment, then giving in to temptation and nipping his mate’s throat playfully, making him hiss and squirm.

Sakumo grinned, sharp and smug. Though it had been entirely too tempting, he hadn’t actually ripped Danzou’s throat out with his teeth - too obvious a link - but he might as well have; a threat run to ground and ruthlessly destroyed. A danger, now, that would never touch his pack.

“Do you think. . .” Orochimaru hummed, thumb brushing Kakashi’s round cheek. “We might discuss giving Kakashi a sibling? That you might want that?” He tipped his head, catching Sakumo’s eye from the corner of his own. “Not right now, of course. A little longer. Something. . .”

Yes.” Sakumo said, chest aching. “Not now,” he agreed after a moment to catch his breath, “but. . .”

“When Kakashi is a little older?” Orochimaru suggested, his voice soft and warm with contentment. “In a year or two, perhaps?”

“Perhaps so. We have time.” Sakumo said, squeezing Orochimaru tighter, painfully grateful for the accident on his mission that had led to his maybe-dangerous look forwards. They did have time, and Sakumo refused to let anything take it away from them.

Notes:

I showed a peek of what Oro would do, turning back the clock for his family, recently . . . it left me contemplating what Sakumo would do with foreknowledge as well. Be just as ruthless, for his pack, of course~

Chapter 544: Refuge

Chapter Text

Sakumo panted as he pushed his way through the brush, making his way to the river more by scent than sound, though he knew it was near enough - and active enough - he should have been hearing it by now. He wasn’t hearing much over his own breath and the roaring of his heartbeat thudding in his ears.

He desperately wanted to lie down and rest, but that was a bad idea. He hoped that if he took a drink and maybe waded in the cold, rushing water it would refresh him - or shock his system - enough to keep him on his paws. For a little longer. To get back to his pack.

Sakumo continued until he was elbow-deep in the shallows, lowering his muzzle to the water, lapping slowly, sides heaving.

A movement under the surface another few paces out into the river made him jerk, whimpering at the pain caused by his sudden movement, then freeze as he saw snakeskin, huge scales, moving beneath the water.

He tried to pull back, and his paws slipped in the mud, his eyes still fixed on the biggest serpent he’d ever seen as the creature rose up out of the water and-

Sakumo’s ears laid back as he tilted his head up to meet the narrowed golden eyes of a naga, his wet hair like ink around shoulders, glimmering scales peeking through. “Wolf. . . What are you doing here?” he asked, bending low, his coils shifting slowly.

“I’m sorry,” Sakumo said hurriedly, voice thin, “I had no intention to trespass in another’s territory.”

The naga shifted, and Sakumo realised his long body was sliding onto the riverbank and Sakumo in a broad loop. If he were uninjured he would be able to leap it and run, probably fast enough to outpace even a striking naga. As he was now. . .

“Peace, wolf.” the naga said, coming closer still, until Sakumo could see the tiny, soft sparkles in the violet scales striping his face. “You are clearly no invader, in this condition. Are you being hunted?” he asked, tilting his head.

“No.” Sakumo whuffed, tail swishing once. “I dispatched all who came after me.” He bared his teeth, and the naga laughed, low and warm. It made Sakumo’s fur stand on end and his tail wag again.

“Then rest a while with me, and return to your pack when you can run without courting your own death as well.” the naga suggested, coils sliding softly along Sakumo’s sides, upper body reclining into the water. “You are welcome to remain.”

Sakumo lifted a paw, uncertain, but. . . He carried no news his pack needed, and he had known he was risking much, pressing on to keep running as he had. He bowed his head and let the broad coils support him as his legs wobbled beneath him again.

Chapter 545: Battered and Bruised

Chapter Text

“Down.” Sakumo ordered pointedly, and Orochimaru hissed, twisting and pushing up.

Sakumo growled. “Down, mate.”

Orochimaru grumbled, but sank down under Sakumo’s urging hands. Sakumo sighed, shaking his head, and stroked his mate’s sides, careful of his battered ribs. His teammates ought to be more careful, Sakumo thought, tracing the edge of a livid violet bruise. Orochimaru might be tough enough to shake off this kind of treatment, but it was. . .

Sakumo swallowed his upset and bent low over his mate, brushing a line of kisses up Orochimaru’s spine and crooning softly. Orochimaru relaxed a little more, folding his arms beneath his head, and Sakumo reached for the bandages to wrap his ribs.

Chapter 546: Birthday Treat

Notes:

Though not birthday themed, I also posted a podfic of Morning Marks, one of my SakuOro & bb!Kakashi flufflets, today for Orochimaru's birthday~

Chapter Text

Sakumo growled as his mate’s happy laughter was interrupted by a firm knock on their door, and Orochimaru flicked a look at him, lips twitching. “Wolf-heart.” he said, not quite a scold.

“There is no reason-”

“It is probably my teammates.” Orochimaru said, one brow arching even as his mouth tightened.

Sakumo growled again, rising from the table along with his mate. It probably was, but that didn’t make him any happier about the interruption. They had largely ignored Orochimaru for weeks when they weren’t needed for a mission, as was growing ever more usual, they couldn’t leave him in peace on his birthday?

Orochimaru trailed a light caress over Sakumo’s hip and side, moving ahead of him towards the front door and opening it to reveal Tsunade, looking rather displeased. Not unusual for her, and Sakumo only just resisted the impulse to bare his teeth at her. He was rather displeased himself.

“Happy birthday, Oro.” Tsunade said, and cocked her head. “My present to you is that Jiraiya won’t be in any shape to pester you about helping with his research for at least three days.” She grinned sharply. “I’ll take you to lunch tomorrow. Enjoy your day with your boy.”

Orochimaru laughed, soft and silky, and stepped out onto the engawa, and Tsunade wrapped him up in a hug that might have broken a lesser creature. Orochimaru returned it with a soft hum, and cupped Tsunade’s cheek as he stepped back.

Sakumo made a rough little rumbling sound and didn’t protest her name for him or her presence any further.

“Spoil my brother today, wolf, mm?” Tsunade said, unnecessarily, pointing at him, and Sakumo snorted, lifting his jaw.

“He always does.” Orochimaru said with wry fondness, leaning against Sakumo’s side. He curled an arm around his mate, softening, and nuzzled Orochimaru’s jaw, crooning.

Chapter 547: Traditional Lullabies

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru rolled over lazily, folding his arms beneath his head and watching as Sakumo paced their bedroom, rocking their son and singing softly.

“Is that a lullaby about a prowling monster stalking cubs?” Orochimaru asked, smiling faintly.

Sakumo looked up, laughing. “It’s traditional.”

“Of course it is.” Orochimaru yawned, shifting a little more.

“He likes it, don’t you, my darling cub?” Sakumo crooned at Kakashi, and he giggled, grabbing at his father’s hair.

“Of course he does.” Orochimaru said absently, beginning to drift back into sleep.

His mate’s soft voice singing faintly eerie, threatening phrases to their son followed him into sleep with a curl of amusement.

Notes:

I may have had Tili Tili Bom in mind when I was writing this. . .

Chapter 548: Adoptions

Chapter Text

“How many more children do you plan on adopting?”

Sakumo blinked, looking up from where Kakashi was chasing after Deidara. Somewhat closer, Kabuto was shuffling a little further behind Tenzou as he meditated, a twisting tree growing before him - Kabuto, Sakumo suspected, was using him and his mokuton as a shield against any likelihood of Deidara’s practise spilling.

“I suppose it depends how many more lost orphans we find - or my mate brings home.” Sakumo said dryly. Not that Orochimaru had retrieved them all. Minato, who was currently on a mission - and his cub was with Orochimaru today - had come in rather on his own. They had both brought Deidara home after finding him lost in the wilds outside Iwa, hungry and dirty and frightened and angry.

Tenzou and Kabuto had both been . . . gently stolen and Orochimaru hadn’t had time to discuss plans beforehand. Sakumo didn’t mind, happy with his cubs and delighted with his wild, unusual pack.

“. . .you don’t mind?”

Sakumo blinked, having idly forgotten someone else was there. “Ah. No, of course not. I love my cubs.” He cocked his head. “All of them.”

He also would not be terribly surprised if they found another lost cub in need of a pack. It hadn’t been so very long since they had brought Deidara home, after all. He smiled, looking back out at them as Deidara crowed with triumph from Kakashi’s shoulders, making his brother laugh and reach to steady him.

Kabuto made a sulky sound and braced his back against Tenzou’s, burying his face deeper in his book. Tenzou reached back absently and patted him soothingly, and he huffed, relaxing a little.

Chapter 549: Jealousy

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Hello there.”

Kabuto jumped as Dad’s hand settled on his shoulder, looking up. Dad smiled, tugging him in gently.

“What’s that face for?” Dad asked, voice low, brushing his knuckles over Kabuto’s face.

Kabuto glanced back through the doorway. Across the room and only half visible around the plants, Kakashi-aniki was stretched out with his back propped against the wall, a book in one hand. That was normal enough, but. . .

His other hand was buried in sunny bright hair, the new otouto Mama and Dad had brought home weeks ago curled into his side, head on his lap, asleep. He must be asleep, he was never quiet otherwise. Kabuto scowled.

“What’s wrong?” Dad asked, and Kabuto bit the inside of his cheek, looking up again. “Here, come talk with me, cub.” he coaxed, drawing Kabuto along with him, away from the door.

He looked back, frowning, and watched Kakashi stroke Deidara’s hair as he twitched and curled up a little closer still. Kabuto huffed.

“Should we get Mama, or just us?” Dad asked, and Kabuto blinked, then pressed close against his side, cringing at the idea. Suddenly Kabuto couldn’t help but remember the soft look on Mama’s face when they brought Deidara home - and his smile when he praised them for making their new otouto welcome.

“Kabuto?” Dad crouched before him. “Are you sure you’re all right?”

“It’s nothing.” Kabuto said, kicking lightly at the floor.

“Hm.” Dad said, and stroked his hair. “I think it’s not.” He kissed Kabuto’s brow. “But why don’t we have a talk just you and me first, mm?”

Notes:

. . .Kabuto is only 9, and he didn't come from a good background really. It's understandable he might not be handling well having a new brother only a few years younger than he is, and 'stealing' his older brothers' and parents' attention somewhat, even if they've not been neglecting him.

Chapter 550: Correcting a Lack (fangless and fixed)

Chapter Text

“Who’s that?” Deidara asked suspiciously, loud and blatant.

Orochimaru laughed, bringing a hand to his face. Haruashi was fortunately not easily offended, and she laughed as well, grinning and waiting for Orochimaru to explain.

“Inuzuka Haruashi, my youngest, Deidara. Deidara, this is Inuzuka Haruashi-san, who is here to do a favour for us.” Orochimaru said pointedly, arching an eyebrow.

Deidara huffed, not releasing his brother, and Kakashi ruffled his hair, reaching down to scoop him up. Deidara hummed, smiling a little as he tipped his head against Kakashi’s jaw. He was a little big to be carried, but he submitted to Kakashi’s coddling happily.

“A favour?” Deidara asked, and Kakashi glanced at Haruashi, then Orochimaru, smiling slightly. Orochimaru nodded, and Kakashi’s smile widened.

“Your mother tells me that you don’t have fangs of your own,” Haruashi said, smiling at Deidara, “that happens with some of the pups in my clan, when we adopt them. But pups need proper fangs, so my clan have a jutsu to fix that.”

Deidara stiffened, head coming up and eyes wide. “Really?” he asked.

“Your mother asked me to use it for you, if you would like.” Haruashi confirmed, and Deidara wriggled in Kakashi’s arms.

“Yes! Yes! Please,” Deidara qualified swiftly, “thank you Haruashi-san!”

“Of course. Let’s go outside, yeah?” Haruashi suggested, and Kakashi let Deidara scramble down on his own, already running for the back door as they followed at a slower pace.

Chapter 551: Dull Colours

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo lingered just outside the open shoji - probably it should be closed, but the storm hadn’t broken yet, and the roof slanting out over the engawa towards the garden offered some protection at least - and watched his mate.

Orochimaru was sitting near the edge of the engawa, head tipped up and eyes on the sky, the looming storm that grew darker and more foreboding the further away to the west Sakumo looked.

“What are you watching so intently?” Sakumo asked, moving towards his mate.

“My colours.” Orochimaru said softly, and Sakumo blinked, then flushed a little, cheeks warming.

“Rather boring colours.” he said, settling at Orochimaru’s side and sweeping his long hair back with one hand, kissing his shoulder.

Orochimaru hissed softly, turning to look at him, brilliant golden eyes gleaming. “They are my colours.” he said firmly, and Sakumo made an apologetic sound. “And you are my wolf,” he added, lips curving as he brought a hand up to cup Sakumo’s face, “I have always loved stormy skies, you know.”

Sakumo dipped his head, nuzzling his mate’s wrist and crooning affectionately. He might think they were dull colours, was sorry his mate had seen no others for so long, but then, while his mate’s eyes were far more striking, Sakumo loved little so well as the sight of bright gold. He supposed it wasn’t entirely strange that his mate felt similarly, no matter what colour he had from Sakumo.

Notes:

Hopefully obvious from context, but set in the AU where until your eyes meet (or your first kiss, or some other variable depending on interpretation) the only colour you see is the colour of your soulmate's eyes.

Chapter 552: Everything's Under Control

Chapter Text

“Do I want to ask what the cubs are up to?” Sakumo asked as he put a fresh cup of tea down by his mate and settled down nearby. He dropped a kiss to Orochimaru’s neck, and he arched it invitingly, humming.

“They aren’t damaging each other.” Orochimaru supplied, settling against Sakumo’s side with a lazy sigh. “I didn’t inquire any further.”

There was another crashing sound followed by shrieks of laughter outside, and Sakumo shook his head slightly, lips twitching. “Are they all out there?”

Deidara was obvious - both from the shrieking and the blasts - and he guessed Tenzou was as well if that much splintering was going on; he’d thought he heard Kakashi’s laugh as well, but. . .

“Kabuto made a great production of agreeing to play as well.” Orochimaru confirmed, smoothing his fingers over the edge of the page. “I’m sure Kakashi has his brothers under control.”

“As much as possible.” Sakumo said wryly, but he honestly agreed. If anyone other than Orochimaru or Sakumo himself were going to keep their younger cubs in line, it would be their eldest. “Good, good.”

Chapter 553: The Curious Missing Bang

Chapter Text

Sakumo ducked outside, growing a little more alarmed as he found his elder cubs sparring playfully but no sign of his youngest. Deidara was not usually difficult to track down, either, and it was . . . concerning that Sakumo had no idea where he was.

A quick question had Kakashi and Tenzou confirming they hadn’t seen their brother, and Sakumo shooed them back to their practise as he returned inside. He checked Tenzou’s sunroom - what had been a nursery for their little sapling cub had become a relaxing lounge for all of them as Tenzou grew - and both Deidara’s own and Kakashi’s bedrooms, then. . .

Sakumo shook his head and turned towards his mate’s workroom, all closed up. He hesitated to interrupt, but remembering that last time he had been unsupervised, Deidara had come back having thrown an explosive at the Uchiha clan head’s eldest cub. . .

“Hello, lovely, sorry-” Sakumo broke off. “Oh.”

A tight knot in his chest that he hadn’t realised was quite so severe suddenly eased.

“Dad?” Deidara asked, perking up where he was perched on a tall stool over Orochimaru’s worktable. “Hi Dad! Mama’s teaching me about organs!”

His long, bright hair was twisted up in a knot just like Orochimaru’s, pinned with a pair of senbon, and he was leaning over the body laid out over the worktable.

“. . .wonderful.” Sakumo said, smiling slightly.

“Did you need something, wolf-heart?” Orochimaru asked, sweeping a lock of hair that had fallen from its knot out of his face with the back of his wrist.

“No, I was just wondering where Deidara was.” Sakumo shook his head, leaning in the doorway. “I’ll leave you to your work, lovely, katsu-cub.”

Deidara grinned, bouncing a little on his knees, and Orochimaru crooned fondly. Sakumo laughed a little. “Let me know if we should push dinner later for you, mm?” he asked, and stepped out as Orochimaru waved at him, a vague acknowledgement.

Chapter 554: Imouto

Chapter Text

Sakumo smiled as Kakashi peeked higher over the edge of the blanket, nose twitching, eyes fixed on Kanami in Orochimaru’s arms.

“New otouto smells funny.” Kakashi said, casting a half-sly look upwards at them, and Orochimaru laughed.

Sakumo rumbled, nuzzling his mate affectionately. “That may be because she is your new imouto.” he suggested, though there wasn’t much difference in the scent at this age particularly.

“Oh.” Kakashi hummed, nodding sagely. “What is the difference between having otouto and imouto?” he asked, frowning slightly.

Orochimaru made a considering noise, sighing. “Not much, save that people may be even more prone to being idiots about your tiny sibling this time.” he advised.

Kakashi’s nose wrinkled and he bared his teeth with a tiny growl.

“Exactly.” Sakumo said, reaching out and ruffling Kakashi’s hair. “But you’ll be a good Aniki for Kanami just like for Tenzou, won’t you, cub?”

Kakashi barked, sitting up straight and raising his chin proudly. Orochimaru shifted Kanami - she fussed a little in her sleep, fingers flexing - and reached out to Kakashi. “Of course you will, precious.” he said softly as Kakashi nuzzled into his fingers and palm.

Chapter 555: After Action Return

Chapter Text

“Anything more to watch for, or are we clear?” Sakumo asked, checking his weaponry as he kept an eye on the battlefield.

“Not sure, taichou. There were some . . . concerning sounds coming from-”

Sakumo raised his eyebrows, turning towards the scout as he fell silent. A loud grinding noise made him turn again, and he looked up, following a flash of gleaming white.

“What do we do?”

Sakumo snorted, glancing over those arrayed a little further of him just in time to see Kakashi bound to his feet. “Mama!” he called, raising a hand, and one of Yamata no Orochi’s heads turned to look down at him.

Stillness fell over the rest of their forces, and Sakumo made his way towards his eldest cub as Orochimaru moved slowly closer, then began to shrink down with a buffeting wave of acidic chakra.

Kakashi darted off and Sakumo would have followed, but- He held back as someone caught his arm, smothering an irritated growl and holding himself back to address his comrades’ concerns.

A few minutes later Orochimaru stepped out of the trees and Kakashi caught him in an embrace. Probably it was steadying him as much as anything; it was not the first time Orochimaru had used this trick and Sakumo knew while he would be fine in the end, it drained him badly. Sakumo chafed impatiently as he continued seeing to his people, attention lingering on his mate and cub.

Chapter 556: Peony Moon

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru tapped a fingertip against his opposite forearm, looking at the empty bedroom. He turned and walked away, but not to find his own bed.

The shoji were securely closed, but he slipped quietly outside, leaving a gap behind himself. He was familiar with this, he thought, stepping down from the engawa and out into the light of the full moon, silvering the plants he passed.

It also made his son practically glow where he sat near the irises, fluffy tail curled around his paws and head tipped back, ears perked as he stared at the moon. He was silent, eyes wide, somehow both beautifully relaxed and poised on edge.

It was a pose very like one Orochimaru had found his father in on many nights, from long before they shared a bed. Orochimaru knelt beside his son, resting a hand on Kakashi’s nape, stroking gently, fingers sliding through his fur.

Kakashi’s tail twitched, not quite wagging, and he flicked an ear. His grinned, fangs gleaming in the moonlight, and Orochimaru shifted close beside him, nuzzling behind his ear and murmuring softly.

Kakashi wriggled, crooning softly, and Orochimaru stroked him again, looking up at the moon idly. Wondering if Sakumo, far away beyond the Kaze no Kuni border, was sitting like this to look up at the Peony Moon himself.

Notes:

The Peony Moon is in April. I felt more spring for this one.

Chapter 557: Needs and Niceties

Chapter Text

Orochimaru shifted, eyes narrowing. “I am not a nice man.” he said warningly, voice low.

Sakumo snorted, and Orochimaru tilted his head. Sakumo reached up to him, hands sliding over his sides. “Ninja.” Sakumo said softly, and tugged hopefully. Orochimaru moved closer. “From a clan who have turned out nothing but ninja for generations. Hunters and warriors.”

Orochimaru hissed softly, but leaned down over Sakumo, bracing a hand on the wall behind his head.

“What makes you - or anyone - think I need or want ‘nice’, Oro?” Sakumo asked, baring his teeth.

Orochimaru’s eyes flicked over the wicked points of his fangs, then back up to meet his gaze, and Sakumo’s grin widened.

“Perhaps not.” Orochimaru agreed lazily, sliding his hand behind Sakumo’s head and neck. “You do seem very sure.”

“I am.” Sakumo said against his mouth. “I want you. Vicious, passionate, sly,” he made a rough wanting sound, “everything that you are.”

Orochimaru’s fingers tightened and he groaned softly, pulling Sakumo up a little to press against him. “Mine.” he said roughly, the edges blurred as he pulled Sakumo into a kiss.

Chapter 558: Sakumo on Skates

Chapter Text

“Sure you’re up for this, wolf-heart?” Orochimaru asked, only barely bothering to hide his laughter.

Sakumo pouted at his mate, standing up carefully on the bladed boots. “Yes. I promised, and here we are.”

“I’ll keep charge of you.” Orochimaru promised playfully, and Sakumo sighed, but allowed himself to be drawn out onto the frozen surface of the lake, wishing it was summer and he could just use chakra to walk on it.

“Whoa!” Deidara took a spill but Gai caught him easily before he hit the ice, putting him back on his feet and extending one fist. Deidara huffed, tapping it with his own and scowling, eyes narrowed as he shifted his balance, clearly very focused.

Kakashi breezed past with Shisui chasing him, and Sakumo fondly remembered a cub who had been all too-big paws and too-long legs sliding messily over the ice on them, tumbling. Many years ago now.

Sakumo nearly slipped, but caught himself before he could lose his balance. Orochimaru smiled, squeezing Sakumo’s hand tighter as he steadied himself.

“I’m not that helpless.” Sakumo said lightly, tugging at Orochimaru’s hand and making him laugh again. He did not, however - fortunately - let go of Sakumo as they kept moving.

“Certainly.” Orochimaru said as Tenzou moved past them in steady strides. He was stable, but he looked very focused on every movement as he skated.

Chapter 559: Place in the Pack

Notes:

Much like #549, Jealousy, this one gets a bit of a deeper view on how Kabuto - maybe the most emotionally damaged, even at the stage they stole him, before he was broken too much (and definitely still the most insecure) of their foundlings - handles his family being expanded - and his no longer being the baby.

Chapter Text

“Mama, may-” Kabuto broke off, head dipping and toes curling against the tatami.

Deidara was with Mama, getting his hair petted and brushed out, shining senbon glinting on the table beyond them. Kabuto took a step back, heart turning over. Dad had said- But. . .

“Kabuto.” Mama looked at him with a warm smile. “Come here, darling.” He kissed Deidara’s brow. “Go find your Aniki, mm?”

“Yes Mama!” Deidara leaned into Mama’s offered embrace, then bowed shallowly and trotted out. He paused by Kabuto with a grin and shouldered him gently, and Kabuto scowled. Deidara was unfazed. Deidara was always unfazed.

Kabuto rubbed his arm as he followed Mama’s beckoning encouragement, Deidara’s footsteps pattering off behind him.

“He gets in your space because he cares for you.” Mama said, smoothing a hand over Kabuto’s shoulder and drawing him in close. Kabuto scowled a little more. Dad had said the same thing, and when he carefully walked Kabuto through it . . . he could see it wasn’t so unlike what Dad and Kakashi did. Deidara was just. . .

“I know he’s loud.” Mama said, stroking Kabuto’s hair and cupping his jaw. “And you weren’t prepared to have an otouto.”

“He’s pack though.” Kabuto said sulkily, and Mama’s smile was soft and happy. Kabuto would do a lot to keep Mama looking like that, giving him that proud look. Even learn to accept his loud new otouto.

“He is.” Mama hugged Kabuto gently. “But darling,” Mama stroked his back, voice low, just for the two of them, “our pack being bigger never means any of us are lesser, do you understand?”

Kabuto’s throat tightened, remembering lessons the orphanage had taught him - and then-

Lessons Mama and Dad had taught him. Tenzou-nii. Kakashi-aniki. Mama and Dad who had swept him away from the orphanage and- and babied him, given him almost anything he wanted and encouraging him - praising him - always for learning the things he wanted. Kakashi-aniki who was endlessly patient helping him with chakra control and katas, who brought him books and papers just because he thought Kabuto might find them interesting. Tenzou-nii who shared quiet with Kabuto and came with him on curious expeditions and got him out of trouble when he hadn’t planned well for them.

“And now you have an otouto.” Mama said as Kabuto thought through that carefully.

Kabuto blinked, his eyes wide. Mama’s smile was proud and sly and warm all at once. Mama. No one else could be like this, Kabuto thought.

. . .maybe Kakashi.

“You think. . .” Kabuto paused, licking his lips. “Deidara would want-” he broke off. Deidara stuck to Kakashi like a burr, more than anyone else, begging attention and time from him and all but literally stuck to his side, climbing his shoulders and falling asleep in his lap. Deidara played and trained with Tenzou and he studied with Mama and he pestered Dad with questions but Kakashi-aniki was his moon and stars, always.

“You’re his Kabuto-nii. I think you’d be surprised.” Mama said, and stroked his hair. “But this afternoon is just for you and me. Think about it, darling.” Mama kissed his brow. “Later. Go get your research log from the shelf and we’ll get started.”

Kabuto grinned and darted to the little shelf of Mama’s workroom that was just his books and notes.

Chapter 560: Riding Frustrations

Chapter Text

Orochimaru rolled his neck, arching smoothly with only a little hitch of his hips.

Sakumo’s breath caught as his mate’s cock twitched and pushed a little deeper, but he splayed one hand over Orochimaru’s stomach, shifting his weight and pushing down. Keeping his mate flat beneath him and offering a grin. Orochimaru hissed, baring sharp teeth, his fangs still folded away.

Sakumo bent to kiss him, shivering and rocking his hips as Orochimaru moaned softly. He rocked up a little and Sakumo eased up again, riding the movement and sitting back, pushing himself harder on his mate’s cock.

Orochimaru’s hands wandered his sides and hips, down his thighs, stroking teasingly over his own cock but not lingering.

Sakumo whined a little, and Orochimaru laughed, rough and throaty, and nipped his lip gently. Sakumo growled and sat up, shifting his weight and watching the tremor run through Orochimaru’s body as his muscles fluttered around his mate’s cock.

Sakumo grinned, probably a little crookedly, as he rolled his hips and began to move, hands splaying over his mate’s stomach as he rode Orochimaru’s cock.

Chapter 561: Shaving

Chapter Text

Orochimaru stopped by the bathroom door, pushing it open the rest of the way and smiling slightly as he watched his mate inspecting his face in the mirror.

“Would you like help?” he offered, noting the blade on the edge of the sink, and Sakumo turned towards him, grinning. A bit of foam dripped off one cheekbone, and Orochimaru laughed, stepping forwards.

“Would you, please?” Sakumo asked, glancing back for the razor, picking it up to offer it to Orochimaru. Although it was not . . . actually a razor.

“Of course.” Orochimaru took the small knife and lifted it, arching a brow. It was wickedly sharp and would work fine, of course, but. . .

“Ah, my razor’s gone missing.” Sakumo said sheepishly, and Orochimaru snorted, shaking his head and nudging Sakumo over to the short bench near the bath.

He sat readily, tipping his head up and closing his eyes with a soft sigh, and Orochimaru trailed a caress over his brow before focusing on his jaw, setting the blade against skin.

Chapter 562: Ash and Acceptance (clock turned back)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Last chance.” Orochimaru said softly, hands coming up and cupping his face. Sakumo wasn’t sure if they felt wrong on his cracked skin because his body was nothing more than a mess of ash and paper, or because that wasn’t truly his mate’s body. “Are you certain of your choice?”

“To the end of the world, lovely.” Sakumo said quietly, winding his arms around Orochimaru’s waist. “Turn back the clock.”

Orochimaru smiled slightly, tears dampening his lashes, and rested their brows together.

Sakumo nuzzled him comfortingly as he shook, grip tightening on Sakumo’s shoulders, then sliding around his neck. Sakumo swayed gently, giving him time.

Even if there had been anything for Sakumo save a return to the limbo that had been his world since his own death, he would have turned aside anything else for the chance to return to his mate’s side, to have things end differently this time - to not end. Their world, their pack. . .

Notes:

I don't intend this one to be a long arc, but I do intend to have another part tomorrow, and perhaps more after that.

next in arc

Chapter 563: Before (clock turned back)

Notes:

previous in arc

Warning for a very brief/light mention of miscarriage.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo jerked awake, breath catching. He scented home and warmth; his mate and sex and snake. He scented- He’d barely been able to smell anything in the ash and paper form of himself.

Hauling himself up, Sakumo barely registered their bedroom around him as he lunged for his mate, lying in a loose-limbed sprawl nearby. “Lovely!” He clasped Orochimaru’s shoulder, leaning close. “Orochimaru.”

Orochimaru stirred, groaning softly, and Sakumo struggled to catch his breath, heart pounding.

“Sakumo.” Orochimaru said groggily, but the fog was leaving his eyes swiftly. “Wolf-heart!” He jerked up, throwing his arms around Sakumo’s shoulders and nearly tumbling them back down across the floor.

Sakumo hugged him tight, nuzzling his cheek and jaw, feeling him properly this time.

“It worked.” Orochimaru said softly, then shifted stiffly- “Oh!”

“Lovely?” Sakumo questioned, worried, and Orochimaru shook his head. “Are you all right? Did something go wrong?”

“No, no, I. . . I didn’t know when we would land.” Orochimaru said softly, and Sakumo nodded. It had been an alarming thing to trust to chance. “I know when we are now.”

“When?” Sakumo asked, also wondering how.

“Before. . .” Orochimaru swallowed, then shifted a little in Sakumo’s arms, twisting and drawing one of his hands down to Orochimaru’s almost-flat stomach. Almost, but not quite.

“Kakashi and Nori are in Kakashi’s room. I can smell them.” Sakumo said slowly, heart aching. Orochimaru nodded. “Before-”

Before they had lost their second cub, not long into Orochimaru’s pregnancy. Before Orochimaru, still in the haze of grief, had buried himself in work he thought his sensei - their Hokage - had ordered. Sakumo had wanted to kill him for that, before they knew it hadn’t been his orders at all. Before they had. . .

“It will be different this time.” Sakumo said against his mate’s ear, gathering Orochimaru into his arms as his mate curled up tightly. He nodded, leaning against Sakumo’s shoulder.

Chapter 564: Baby Back (clock turned back)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Mama? Daddy?”

Sakumo’s head shot up, his breath catching and his heart aching. Kakashi peeked in the doorway, Nori steadying him as he wobbled. The last time he had seen his cub, Kakashi had been bleeding out and barely able to stay on his feet, chakra drained and past, at least one arm broken.

A fully grown hunter, thrown into the teeth of yet another war, and maybe the one that would take him down.

“Oh- Precious.” Orochimaru held out his arms and Kakashi grinned, sliding through the door and shifting to four paws to run to his mother. He was in his human shape again by the time Orochimaru swept him up, pulling him into a tight hug. “My precious little one. . .” Orochimaru murmured, rocking Kakashi and running his fingers through Kakashi’s hair.

Kakashi crooned, cuddling into the embrace happily, submitting to the coddling and the tight hold without protest. Of course, Sakumo thought, breath hitching and eyes burning as tears spilled down his cheeks; Kakashi was so small yet, now. Of course he was happy to let his mother hold him and pet him. It would be years yet before he started snapping that he was too old for this.

If- If he ever did, if his mother had stayed, if they hadn’t lost his sibling, if Sakumo hadn’t been so broken himself, if-

“Daddy? All right?” Kakashi asked, whining softly, and Orochimaru shifted, holding out one hand.

Sakumo went to them immediately, wrapping his arms around his long-lost mate and cub, swearing he wouldn’t lose them this time. Not for his village, not for anything.

Chapter 565: No (clock turned back)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Be gentle with Mama!” Sakumo warned, snatching Kakashi off Orochimaru and making him laugh, even as Kakashi whined, pouting up at Sakumo, probably very confused.

Orochimaru smiled slightly, reaching up and caressing Sakumo’s cheek. “I’m all right.” He sat up, kissing Kakashi’s temple and stopping his fussing. “Kakashi won’t do any harm, wolf-heart. You know that.”

Sakumo suppressed a shudder, remembering traces of blood and a near-hysterical mate, his heart clenching painfully before he even had a clue what had happened. Before Orochimaru had managed to choke out the words to explain the loss of the little chakra pattern he carried. He shook his head slightly and Orochimaru stroked his hair, crooning, resting their brows together.

The knock at the door was an unwelcome interruption, and Sakumo was tempted to echo Kakashi’s unhappy bark, but he only rose, offering his mate a hand up. Orochimaru took it, then patted his shoulder and went to answer the door.

Sakumo bounced Kakashi lightly, making him grin, grabbing at Sakumo’s shoulder as he wriggled. Sakumo whuffed quietly at him, rubbing their noses together, and he climbed higher, giggling.

He was only vaguely listening to his mate speak to whoever was at the door until he heard a few key words that would have been hardly worth notice in any other moment - in the other timeline he had barely paid any mind.

No!” Sakumo snapped, darting across the room to his mate’s shoulder. It took him a moment to realise Orochimaru had said it in the same moment. He swallowed, shaking, and wrapped an arm around Orochimaru’s waist, holding him and Kakashi both close.

“. . .pardon, Orochimaru-san? You,” the messenger paused, “you have been taking missions, and this is well within the limits that-”

“No.” Orochimaru said harshly. “Send someone else. Anyone else.”

“My mate is pregnant, he’s not going.” Sakumo said, barely reining in his snarl.

“This is a low rank mission, at any other time it would be an insult to offer it to Orochimaru-san. . . Even- Even when,” he nodded towards Kakashi, “you still took missions like these for months?”

“I will not be taking missions out of the village for the foreseeable future.” Orochimaru said, his voice cold.

The messenger opened his mouth and Sakumo snarled wordlessly, drawing Orochimaru back against him, deeper into the house. He left. With his accursed mission scroll.

“Not the most subtle.” Orochimaru said softly, leaning his head against Sakumo’s, eyes closed. It wasn’t a scold.

Sakumo struggled to breathe steadily. No, it hadn’t been. He couldn’t quite bring himself to care. “You are not taking that mission.” That mission that had gone wrong, and of course it had been well within Orochimaru’s skill to complete it and return home even so, but. . .

Barely days after-

“Mama stays?” Kakashi asked, and Sakumo opened his eyes, startled, to find him tugging at Orochimaru’s hair.

Orochimaru smiled slightly, eyes damp. “Mama stays. For now.” he said gently, taking Kakashi from Sakumo’s arms. He twitched, instinct to keep his mate from the strain of lifting their older cub, but held himself back. Orochimaru arched a brow at him and he smiled ruefully. He was probably being overly fretful, but he would never forget Orochimaru’s wretched, raw sobs that night, and the loss they had suffered. He would not let it happen again, not if there was anything he could. . .

“Come on, wolf-heart. Close the door and come back.” Orochimaru tugged at him, and Sakumo shook himself, closing the door and following after his mate, back into the security of their room.

Chapter 566: Careful (clock turned back)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Be careful!” Sakumo said, scooping Kakashi off Orochimaru’s lap easily.

Kakashi yowled, and Sakumo froze. “Cub?” he asked, rocking Kakashi and crooning soothingly. “Kakashi, what’s wrong?”

“Mama!” Kakashi howled, and Orochimaru rose swiftly, reaching out. Kakashi whimpered, clinging to Orochimaru when he took their cub from Sakumo’s arms. Sakumo flexed his fingers, distressed, leaning close.

“Cub, what’s wrong?” Sakumo asked again, rubbing Kakashi’s back.

Kakashi whimpered again, nuzzling against Orochimaru’s collarbone, and he crooned, swaying gently, running his fingers through Kakashi’s hair and behind one ear. “Precious, what is it?” he asked softly.

“Mama right?” Kakashi begged, and Orochimaru frowned, looking at Sakumo. He had no more idea than his mate.

“About what, precious?” Orochimaru asked, tipping his head to look at Kakashi.

“Mama hurt?” Kakashi whined, and Sakumo froze. “Daddy says- Dad-”

“Oh, cub.” Sakumo cringed, and Orochimaru reached out, hooking a finger through his collar and bringing him closer. He moved in close against Kakashi’s back, cuddling him between their bodies but not making a move - this time - to take him from his mother.

“I’m all right, precious.” Orochimaru soothed, bowing his head and kissing Kakashi’s hair. He whined and scrabbled at Orochimaru’s shoulder, trying to get closer, and Orochimaru brought him up higher, letting him snuffle and kiss Orochimaru’s cheek.

“Dad says?” Kakashi asked, eying Sakumo sideways.

“Mama is all right, but,” Sakumo met his mate’s gaze and found a helpless, uncertain look on Orochimaru’s face as well, “you remember Mama has your otouto or imouto inside?”

Kakashi frowned, fidgeting.

“Mama is all right,” Orochimaru said gently, his breath catching, “but your otouto or imouto is . . . delicate. Daddy worries over them just like he does over you, precious.”

“Won’t hurt ‘mouto!” Kakashi said staunchly, looking rather fierce.

“I know, cub.” Sakumo nuzzled his hair. “I’m sorry.”

“Just be careful.” Orochimaru said, leaning his head against Sakumo’s and rocking Kakashi lazily.

Kakashi slowly relaxed, sniffling a bit, and Sakumo crooned apologetically. This wasn’t something he had expected - something he had changed, he thought, sighing. He hadn’t worried like this over Orochimaru in the other timeline, because he had hardly thought to fear the loss they had suffered, then; now he knew it could happen, and. . .

Sakumo shook his head as Kakashi crooned back at him wordlessly, smiling. This time was different than the last, and he needed to remember that the changes they made affected their cub as well, more than anyone else.

Chapter 567: Morning Checks and Calm (clock turned back)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo woke to the feeling of Kakashi scrambling over his stomach, and groaned softly, turning onto his side. Kakashi grinned at him, ducking down and curling up against Orochimaru’s side, sniffing.

Orochimaru sighed sleepily, raising a hand and stroking his hair. “Ohayou Kakashi.”

“Ohayou Mama.” Kakashi pressed his face firmly against Orochimaru’s ribs. “Mama right? Imouto right?”

Sakumo met Orochimaru’s gaze, heart aching. Orochimaru smiled, curling around their cub. “Yes, precious. We’re both all right.”

Kakashi hummed, relaxing a little, then yawned.

“Go back to sleep, cub.” Sakumo said, his own voice a little thick from sleep.

Kakashi sighed, nodding, and cuddled a little more loosely against his mother. Sakumo propped himself up on one elbow, and Orochimaru reached for him, bringing him in closer.

Sakumo leaned over their cub to nuzzle his mate’s cheek, resting a hand on Kakashi’s side, then letting it slide over to the slight swell of his mate’s stomach as he settled down again. Orochimaru twined their fingers there, closing his eyes again, and Sakumo crooned softly, watching over his family as they slept.

Chapter 568: Fateful Day (clock turned back)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo put a bowl of soup before his mate, rubbing a hand up and down his thigh as he only stared blankly at it. Orochimaru raised his head, smiling slightly. It was a little unsteady.

“Hovering won’t make any difference.” he said thinly, and Sakumo cringed. Orochimaru winced. “I’m sorry.”

“There is nothing to be sorry for.” Sakumo said, moving close against his mate’s side, nuzzling his shoulder. Orochimaru toyed with the soup without actually bringing it to his lips, and Sakumo resisted the urge to ask fretful questions.

Orochimaru shifted against him, and Sakumo wound his arms around his mate. “I can feel them.” he said softly, and Sakumo’s breath caught. “The chakra pattern is steady.”

Sakumo closed his eyes, relief bleeding through him. Not enough, not yet, but . . . it was something. He splayed one hand over Orochimaru’s belly, stroking lightly.

Orochimaru leaned into him. It was early afternoon. In the other timeline, it had been late at night when Sakumo ran to find his mate a sobbing, bleeding, aching mess in the bathroom.

It might still happen, it could be at another time, but they had been so careful. . .

Sakumo nuzzled into the crook of his mate’s neck. If they passed tonight without incident, with their cub safe. . .

They had asked Dai to watch Kakashi until tomorrow, and Sakumo was glad. He would only be confused and worried by their behaviour today. And hopefully that would be all, Sakumo thought, embrace tightening around his mate.

Orochimaru tipped his head to rest against Sakumo’s. “Today,” he said wryly, clasping Sakumo’s hand, “is going to be a wash, isn’t it?”

Sakumo laughed weakly, murmuring agreement and hoping that was all it was.

Chapter 569: Home to Happiness (clock turned back)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo crooned, winding his arms around his mate and pressing up against Orochimaru’s back, hands smoothing over the growing swell of his stomach as he sighed, leaning into Sakumo. He put the book he was holding back on the shelf, sliding his hands over Sakumo’s arms and pushing his fingers gently between Sakumo’s own.

Sakumo pressed a kiss to the crook of Orochimaru’s neck, rumbling softly.

“Welcome home.” Orochimaru said softly, and Sakumo smiled, closing his eyes. He hadn’t particularly wanted to leave his mate and cub for the mission, but at least it had been a short one, less than a week.

He remembered fighting it like hell, in the other timeline, and at the end of it - he hadn’t been allowed to refuse it, not even with his worries for his pack - coming home to find that Orochimaru had spent most of the week he was gone curled in their futon. Kakashi had spent it whining and crying nearby, trying to help and fretting over his mother.

Today instead he had come home to his contented mate reading in the main room, and Kakashi napping peacefully in their futon with Nori to watch over him.

“It’s good to be home.” Sakumo said simply, stroking his mate again, knowing it would be some time yet before he might feel their cub himself but more than content with this.

Chapter 570: Plotting Downfalls (clock turned back)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo yawned, leaning in the kitchen doorway and taking a moment to admire his mate. Orochimaru was sitting at the table, hair pinned up and head bowed, long fingers trailing around and around the rim of a tea cup as he made notes with his other hand.

“What are you up to, lovely?” Sakumo asked, pushing off the doorframe and moving towards Orochimaru.

He lifted his head with a sly little smirk that made Sakumo growl softly, love and desire mingling in his chest. “Plotting.” Orochimaru said, with a flash of sharp teeth as he laughed softly.

“Oh?” Sakumo tested the side of the tea pot with his fingers, and Orochimaru gestured an invitation. He shook his head.

“Danzou will be a problem, if we do not deal with him.” Orochimaru said, eyes narrowing, and Sakumo growled darkly. Orochimaru had already refused Danzou’s attempts to recruit him for that secret project twice.

However-

Sakumo shook his head again, sliding his hands over Orochimaru’s shoulders and pressing close against his mate’s side. “No. I’ll handle it, I’ll deal with him; you should not be sneaking around and threading security right now.” He dropped one hand to brush over Orochimaru’s stomach and their growing second cub.

Orochimaru laughed, and Sakumo frowned slightly.

“Actually,” he said, leaning back and tilting the paper he’d been sketching plans on so Sakumo could read it easily, “I have no plans to murder him, satisfying as it would be. I thought it might be more efficient to simply . . . ensure the military police, and the clan heads, know what he’s been up to, and what he’s planning.”

Sakumo’s eyes widened, and then he grinned, looping an arm around Orochimaru’s shoulders and leaning down to nuzzle him. “And a few extra things?” he questioned, laughing, and kissed Orochimaru’s cheek.

“He’s a very bad man,” Orochimaru said with dry innocence, “what’s another one or two atrocities?”

Enough, Sakumo thought, to ensure the clan heads would not allow any waving away of his treachery or horrors, even if the Hokage wished to do so. “You included his personal plans for the Sharingan.” he observed. Something Danzou hadn’t planned for years yet, in the other timeline, so far as he knew - he’d only found out after his death and resurrection.

“I think Fugaku and his officers will be quite motivated, don’t you?” Orochimaru said lightly, flipping through the papers before him.

Sakumo stroked his jaw, encouraging him to tilt his head up for a kiss. “You are a wickedly brilliant creature, lovely.” he said, resting their brows together.

Orochimaru smiled, closing his eyes and leaning in to Sakumo.

“Let’s finish planning together, tomorrow?” Sakumo suggested, smoothing his fingers through Orochimaru’s hair. “It’s late, and you and the cub need your rest.” he coaxed gently.

Chapter 571: Hospital Visit (clock turned back)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo crooned, hands restlessly moving from his mate’s tangled hair and over his shoulder down to the bundle cradled on his chest. Sakumo’s own chest was tight, his heart fluttering achily.

“Hello?”

Sakumo straightened, turning towards the door. Dai smiled sheepishly and gave a little bow.

“I apologise- Are you sure it is all right for us to be here?” Dai asked, his son peeking around his legs on one side and Kakashi-

“Of course.” Sakumo held out a hand. “Come here, cub. I’m sure Mama would like to see you.”

Kakashi didn’t hesitate, though his little nose was wrinkled and he kept half-snorting - Sakumo sympathised; the hospital was full of many irritating and odd smells. Kakashi hurried across the room and Sakumo scooped him up easily without rising from the edge of the bed.

“Mama? Right? Is imouto?” Kakashi asked rapidly, looking right past Sakumo.

He grinned, nuzzling Kakashi’s hair. “Yes. Your Mama is all right, and so is your imouto.” he promised, hugging Kakashi gently. “It has been a very exhausting day, they’ve been sleeping.”

“Hello precious.” Orochimaru said, voice a little throaty. He smiled at Sakumo and lifted one hand, beckoning, and Sakumo released Kakashi.

He moved very carefully up beside his mother, peering at the bundle of his sister even as he cuddled against Orochimaru’s side.

“Thank you, Dai.” Sakumo said, bowing his head. Dai had been watching Kakashi for them . . . not infrequently since Orochimaru had turned back the clock, when they had things to handle - a few more changes to make - or. . .

Sakumo looked back at his mate and cubs - cubs, both of them now - and grinned soppily, his heart warm.

“We’ll wait down-”

“Don’t be silly.” Orochimaru said, flicking his fingers. “Come in, it’s fine.” He stroked Kakashi’s hair. “Say hello to your imouto, Kanami, precious.”

Kakashi crooned quietly, curling close and snuffling her very pink little face. “Hello imouto. Glad you’re here.” he said, and Sakumo bit his lip, eyes burning.

Chapter 572: Future Rewritten (clock turned back)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Dad!”

“Okaeri!” Sakumo greeted, hurrying out of the kitchen to find Kanami bounding up from the genkan, her gear left behind. “Missed you, cub.”

Kanami huffed, but she was smiling as she came for a hug.

“How did your genin fare on their first mission out of the village?” Sakumo asked as she stepped back.

“Better than Kaka-nii’s did.” Kanami said brightly, grinning wickedly.

“Uchiha can make drama wherever they go.” Kakashi said dryly, lounging against the doorframe. “And disasters. Can’t forget the Uchiha propensity for disaster.”

Kanami squinted at him. “You married one.” she pointed out, cocking her head.

“I said what I said.” Kakashi arched a brow. “Hello, love.” he added as Shisui appeared behind him.

“Hello, beast.” Sliding up alongside Kakashi, Shisui pinched him, and he laughed, eyes bright as he turned to his mate, resting their brows together. “I suppose you have kept my baby cousin alive.”

“Somehow.” Kakashi said dryly, and Sakumo shook his head, looping an arm around his younger cub’s waist.

“Tell me about it?” he asked, and Kanami hummed happily.

“Where’s Mama?” she asked, glancing around.

“Should be back from his lab at the hospital any time.” Sakumo said with a smile, only to pause as the door opened. “Lovely!”

“Mama!” Kanami grinned, and Orochimaru startled a little, then smiled, sliding off his shoes and stepping up into the house - passing Kakashi and Shisui with an idle pat, his hand trailing along their shoulders - to pull their younger cub into a hug.

“Kanami was just going to tell us about how her team’s first C-rank went.” Sakumo said as Orochimaru released her and moved closer to Sakumo, accepting a light kiss of welcome.

“Kanami was about to go look for something to eat first.” Kanami corrected, and wrinkled her nose when it prompted laughter.

“I made onigiri this morning,” Shisui offered, leading the way into the kitchen, “tide you over until dinner.”

“Sounds good!” Kanami agreed, following Shisui with Kakashi on her heels.

Sakumo lingered as Orochimaru’s arm tightened around him, turning towards his mate. He whined inquisitively, and Orochimaru shook his head, smiling a little weakly.

“Lovely?” Sakumo asked, drawing his mate into a closer embrace. He paused, glancing at the kitchen, then back to meet Orochimaru’s eyes. “. . .it’s been. . .”

“More than twenty years. Everything about that future is gone now, I think.” Orochimaru said softly, and Sakumo shivered. “No regrets.”

“Nor I.” Sakumo said fervently, and pulled Orochimaru into a soft, fierce kiss. “I am so grateful for my brilliant, lovely mate. And,” he added, “the clock turned back.”

Orochimaru smiled, laughing softly and winding his fingers into Sakumo’s hair. Still as lovely as he had been twenty-odd years ago, carrying their cub. Far more so than he had been in another lifetime, wearing someone else’s skin.

“I have many things to be grateful for.” Orochimaru said, nuzzling Sakumo’s cheek.

“Dad! Mama! Didn’t you want to hear this?” Kanami called, and they laughed, sharing another quick kiss before answering their cub’s insistent request.

Notes:

. . .and with that, we say goodbye, I believe, to this time travel arc and this timeline's happy Hatake-Yashagoro pack.

Chapter 573: Sorely Shed

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru hissed, pulling away from their cub, and Sakumo frowned, scooping Kakashi up and crooning softly, soothing him.

“Mama? What’s wrong?” Kakashi asked, falling into a distressed whine at the end.

“Oh, it’s all right, little one.” Orochimaru said, grimacing a little as he moved. “Everything’s just a little . . . tender.”

“Be gentle with Mama, his skin hurts.” Sakumo advised, letting Kakashi down on the futon again.

This time he slunk up close rather than pouncing, and Orochimaru reached out to him, wincing, but running gentle fingers through his hair.

It wasn’t normally so bad at all when Orochimaru shed his scales; he was dreadfully itchy and didn’t want to be touched, and then after his shed he lounged in the bath - with Sakumo, if he was around - and all was well.

Being dehydrated and underfed coming off his mission had . . . complicated things, and the shed tearing had damaged the new scales beneath. He would heal, but. . .

Sakumo bent to kiss his mate’s temple, rumbling soothingly. Orochimaru smiled, stroking Kakashi’s hair as he cuddled closer and leaning into Sakumo in turn.

Notes:

Snakes are not tender or sore after a shed, though their scales can be a little softer for a while; however, dehydration, malnutrition, lack of humidity, and some other factors can complicate matters and cause pain and distress.

Chapter 574: Postponed Dinner Plans

Chapter Text

“What are you doing, lovely?” Sakumo asked, leaning in the doorway, head cocked.

Orochimaru looked up without raising his head, eyebrows rising. He glanced back at the body stretched out on the worktable under his hands.

Sakumo snorted, slipping through the door with a grin. “Not that, obviously.” He waved a hand dismissively, and Orochimaru laughed, straightening and putting the scalpel aside.

“Did you need something, wolf-heart?” Orochimaru asked wryly, tilting his head.

“It’s after time for dinner.” Sakumo said lightly, and Orochimaru winced. “It’s all right. I rescheduled our reservations when you weren’t home half an hour before.” He shrugged. “I figured you had something important, or fascinating, going on. So I’m curious. Tell me about it?”

Orochimaru blinked, then smiled slowly. “You want to know?” he asked, and Sakumo approached, hands tucked behind his back, nodding. His eyes were alert and curious, though they were fixed on Orochimaru rather than glancing down at the open autopsy before him.

Well, that wasn’t so bad, either. Orochimaru laughed, and Sakumo made a curious sound.

He shook his head. “Nothing, wolf-heart. Thank you.” he said, and felt even more fond at the faint look of confusion on his mate’s face. He continued without pausing to offer any explanation. “I have been busy,” he picked up the scalpel again and reached to nudge a flap of skin and muscle out of the way, “trying to identify this; it appears to be fully integrated into the body, but it is not natural. . .”

Chapter 575: Sake and Surprises (night out)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Lovely!” Sakumo called out, and Orochimaru suppressed a twitch, surprised and irritated at being so . . . and a little amazed Sakumo had managed to surprise him, especially considering-

“There you are!” Sakumo leaned in close, smelling of sweetness and apples and liquor. His favourite sake. Orochimaru arched an eyebrow, turning to meet his mate’s gaze and not quite pulling away. “I missed you, lovely!”

Orochimaru hid a laugh behind his own cup of sake. “In the five hours you were away?” he suggested lightly. “Busy drinking with your teammates?”

“Yes!” Sakumo agreed, sliding onto the seat beside Orochimaru and nuzzling a kiss to his cheek, growling softly and biting - a little more roughly than usual - at his jaw. Orochimaru shivered. “I always miss you when I’m not with you.”

“I love you too.” Orochimaru said softly, turning his head and tensing for a moment as Sakumo kissed him, warm and intense and only a little sloppy. He relaxed into it with a soft moan, smoothing a hand over Sakumo’s shoulder, fingers catching in his tangled hair. He must have let it down some time ago, for it to be this knotted already.

Orochimaru mentally blocked out time either tonight or in the morning - or, more likely, the afternoon, he thought wryly - to brush it out for him.

Sakumo drew back, a little breathless, his eyes bright and his cheeks flushed. “Dance with me, lovely?” he begged, and Orochimaru’s eyes widened. “Please?”

Orochimaru hesitated, then shot a glare at Tsunade as her laughter became a little too piercing to ignore. She opened her mouth and Orochimaru, knowing her all too well - and having seen exactly how much sake she had put away tonight - kicked out under the table, knocking her chair over and sending her to the floor with a startled shriek.

He turned back to Sakumo. “Would you like that, wolf-heart? Here?” he asked, voice low, dropping into a smoky, silky temptation. “Or would you like to take me home?”

“Dance with me. Here. Please?” Sakumo asked, surprising him.

Orochimaru hesitated another moment, then inclined his head in agreement. “Of course.”

Sakumo beamed, bright and delighted, rising to his feet and pulling Orochimaru with him, and Orochimaru followed, shaking his head slightly as he let his mate lead him towards the tangled press of bodies occupying the dance floor.

Chapter 576: Dancing and Denial (night out)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo rumbled softly, content as Orochimaru swayed into his hold, burying his face in his mate’s long hair behind his ear. Orochimaru gave a low laugh, allowing Sakumo to pull at him, only vaguely hearing the music but too happy to care.

Orochimaru shifted their pace, nudging at Sakumo’s thigh with his knee, probably making sure they were moving with the music. Sakumo let him, following his mate’s lead instead, and Orochimaru hummed in his ear, one hand sliding up his back.

Sakumo shivered as Orochimaru slid one leg between his own, moving in tight against him with another stroke of his hand, this time over Sakumo’s shoulder.

“Lovely.” Sakumo said softly, breathing him in - sake and metal and something sharp and wild, under the scents of his teammates and the slightly smoky club they were in.

“Wolf-heart.” Orochimaru returned, lips brushing Sakumo’s cheek.

Sakumo sighed, eyes closed, aware of the other people - couples, mostly - around them but blocking them out as much as he could. He had his mate in his arms, and that was all he wanted - now and always.

Orochimaru guided him and Sakumo followed easily, rumbling happily, hands sliding over his mate’s sinuous body as he moved against Sakumo, tempting and warm and strong.

Chapter 577: Attraction and Adjustments (night out)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ryou waved his hand pointedly in front of his friend’s face, shaking his head when Masao remained where he was standing - with the tray of their drinks still in his hands. Ryou moved to take it, then saw what must have caught his attention.

Masao had always had rather a case of hero worship for the White Fang, and Sakumo had just walked onto the dance floor. Ryou froze as Orochimaru followed with smooth grace that somehow led him through the crowd without so much as a brush against any of the other dancers.

He moved, of course, right up into Sakumo’s arms, pressing close against him as they began to move together to the music, perfectly in synch. Ryou shook himself and dragged Masao towards his abandoned seat at the table before grabbing a beer, eyes on Orochimaru’s lean body - he looked almost slender, tugged against Sakumo’s chest, though never delicate.

Orochimaru slid one leg between Sakumo’s, bringing their hips together and letting the motion roll upwards until it reached his shoulders and he twisted, long hair swaying and accenting the arch of his back. As they turned together Ryou still couldn’t make out Orochimaru’s face, but Sakumo’s came into view - he was nuzzling Orochimaru’s cheek, looking blissful, his hands roaming Orochimaru’s body as the music thrummed through them.

Framing narrow hips as they rocked, down to trace the sides of lean thighs, returning up the length of Orochimaru’s arching back, toying with his hair. . .

Ryou had admired Orochimaru as an impressive ninja for years, and he had been aware of course that Orochimaru was striking. . . He had even heard whispers about Orochimaru taking kunoichi missions. He’d never quite. . . Like this, Orochimaru was. . .

He downed the rest of his beer in one long pull, unable to take his eyes off two of the deadliest men in the club, lost in each other and looking painfully attractive together.

Chapter 578: Heading Home (night out)

Chapter Text

“Tired, wolf-heart?”

Sakumo lifted his head, startled, and met Orochimaru’s fingers sliding up the nape of his neck. He hummed, nuzzling his mate thoughtlessly, and Orochimaru laughed until Sakumo kissed him, pulling him in still tighter.

He only realised as they nearly stumbled together that they were still moving, and broke away again, tilting his head down with a sheepish laugh.

Orochimaru laughed at him again, but kissed his cheek, rubbing the back of his neck under his hair. “Shall we go home?”

Sakumo rumbled contentedly under the caress. He nodded, then paused as Orochimaru slipped out of his embrace and moved away, looking over towards the table where they had left Tsunade and a wide array of sake bottles.

“Your teammates. . .” Sakumo asked as Orochimaru twined their fingers, leading him towards the door.

“If Jiraiya is even still here it will be because he hasn’t conned anyone into taking him home with her yet,” Orochimaru said dryly, “Tsuna,” he paused, lifting his chin and looking the direction of their table, then turning away with a smile, “it’s fine, wolf-heart. Let’s go home.”

Sakumo took a deep breath as they stepped outside, enjoying the clearer night air. Orochimaru swept his thumb back and forth over Sakumo’s hand, then tugged him towards home, walking slowly and on the ground, like civilians.

The thought made Sakumo laugh, and he lifted his mate’s hand to his lips, nuzzling Orochimaru’s knuckles and kissing his slim, strong fingers as he glanced at Sakumo curiously. He grinned and shook his head, turning their clasped hands and kissing the inside of Orochimaru’s wrist instead.

He sighed and leaned against Sakumo’s shoulder peaceably as he lowered their hands again.

Chapter 579: Outside the Walls

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Kakashi-kun!”

Kakashi released the rock he had been looking under and sat back on his heels, looking up and finding one of Dad’s teammates. “Hello Kohari-ba.”

Kohari smiled at him, turning and waving a hand at the people back on the road, who hesitated and then went on back towards Konoha. Then she crouched nearby. “Kakashi-kun, what are you doing out here? Wouldn’t your Mama be worried if he knew you were outside the village?” she said gently.

Kakashi blinked, cocking his head. “No.” he said, confused.

“Mm, maybe you don’t think so,” Kohari said gently, reaching out and brushing a hand over his hair, “but I know I would be very upset if my son were outside the village walls, where it’s safe.”

“Iruka is little.” Kakashi said reasonably. He was fun to watch, but he was very little, a squashy, wriggly thing.

“I was speaking hypothetically.” Kohari said, then shook her head. “No, never mind. Won’t you let me take you back, so your mother will know where you are and won’t worry?”

“Mama knows where I am.” Kakashi said, confused again. Mama slithered up over Kakashi’s legs and lifted his head, looping heavily around Kakashi’s shoulders. Kohari went still. “I’m safe.” He reached out for Nori as he returned from behind Kohari, and smiled when Nori nudged his big head into Kakash’s palm.

Notes:

Been a while since Oro in his small serpent form has shown up here. . . >.>

Chapter 580: Uncommon (eyes)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Sakumo! Your eyes!”

Sakumo twitched, nearly missing the blow Kohari was aiming at his throat, then snarled, twisting and kicking out. He caught Kohari just under the ribs on one side and sent her flying backwards with a whoosh of breath.

“Low blow!” Sakumo shouted at Dan, bracing himself as Kohari instantly reversed her path and dove for him.

“No! Your eyes, they’re- Sakumo!” Dan called, and Kohari skidded to a stop.

Sakumo blinked, then gasped, heart racing. “They changed? What- What is it? Damn I don’t have a mirror, I can’t see. . .” He whined as his teammates - both of them had met their soulmates - came closer.

“They’re . . . yellow.” Kohari said, touching his cheek and tilting her head, looking him in the face. Sakumo met her gaze, his eyes wide, trying to imagine. . .

“Yellow?” Sakumo repeated, reaching up and brushing his fingers beneath one eye. Yellow was . . . uncommon. His heart leapt.

“Actually,” Dan said, looking shaken, “I’d say they’re . . . golden.”

Golden?” Sakumo repeated incredulously.

“With. . . Sakumo I know your soulmate.” Dan said, and Sakumo wavered on his feet, steadied only by his teammates’ quick grabs at his arms.

Dan.” Sakumo’s voice was raw and ragged. “Please.

Dan wrapped an arm around him. “I’ll take you to meet him.” he promised, leaning his head against Sakumo’s comfortingly. “You need to be steady first, though. I don’t know how he’ll react but you need to not. . .”

“I won’t pounce.” Sakumo promised weakly, heart racing. Kohari pressed close on his other side, leaning her head in as well.

Notes:

. . .well this was intended to be a one-off again, but . . . here we are. We'll hear from Oro tomorrow, I imagine. . .

next in arc

Chapter 581: Judgement Reserved (eyes)

Chapter Text

“What?” Orochimaru snapped as Jiraiya faltered, smacking his arm away. Orochimaru’s brows rose as Jiraiya actually lost his hold on his short blade. “Jiraiya?” he asked with more concern.

“Ah- You-” Jiraiya gestured vaguely with both hands.

“Tsuna!” Orochimaru called, catching Jiraiya’s forearm. “I didn’t hit you that hard, and there was no venom in that bite, you have no reason to be acting-”

“Not me!” Jiraiya shouted as Tsunade approached at a rapid pace. “Your eyes, you bastard!”

Orochimaru’s fingers tightened convulsively. “What.”

“Ah, Orochimaru-san?” Dan called somewhere down the slope. “Sorry to interrupt, but . . . may we speak with you?”

“Now’s not-” Jiraiya began, then stopped. “We?” He turned.

Orochimaru turned to see a man he recognised only as one of Dan’s teammates loping up the hill towards them. He looked up and Orochimaru saw familiar golden eyes behind his silvery fringe.

“Oh.” Orochimaru said softly, then cursed himself silently for the lapse.

“You!”

“Orochi, not you.” Jiraiya snapped protectively, and the man blinked, then scowled at Jiraiya, but he ignored him and turned back to Orochimaru.

“You. . . You have my eyes. Dan says-” He shook his head. “I’m Hatake Sakumo, and I’m so glad to find you.” he said with every appearance of sincerity, holding out a hand, his eyes wide and hopeful.

It was not a look that seemed at home with Orochimaru’s eyes, but it . . . swayed him, just a little, all the same. He reached out slowly just as he saw the gold begin fading, slit pupils shrinking back to a more rounded shape, storm grey replacing the familiar bright shade of his own eyes.

“Hello, Sakumo. I’m Orochimaru, and I reserve judgement on being glad.” Orochimaru said, and Sakumo laughed, smiling brightly at Orochimaru and clasping his hand gently.

. . .maybe he was a little glad already, Orochimaru thought, swallowing.

Chapter 582: Help and Children

Chapter Text

“Wait just a moment, Kakashi.” Orochimaru scolded, and nudged Kakashi’s shoulders.

He whined, but sat back with a huff, and Orochimaru rose to answer the door.

“Orochi!”

Orochimaru stared. “Jiraiya. What the-”

Help.” Jiraiya said, voice surprisingly low, and Orochimaru bristled.

“What are you doing here, it’s been three years since-”

“Orochi I have children, I don’t know- I’m not supposed to have children!” Jiraiya said, looking wild about the eyes and gesturing forcefully.

“Mama?”

Jiraiya choked himself off, eyes cutting past Orochimaru. “Mama?

I have a child.” Orochimaru said dryly, turning and catching Kakashi as he stumbled just shy of reaching Orochimaru’s legs. He lifted his son and turned back towards Jiraiya. “What do-”

“Oh, he’s adorable!”

Orochimaru tensed, gaze dropping to the bright orange head peeking around Jiraiya’s side. It was followed by two others, and Orochimaru glared at Jiraiya. “You brought them into Konoha with you?” he snapped, voice low.

“I couldn’t leave them!” Jiraiya waved his arms. “I- They’re little ninja!”

“They’re children.” Orochimaru said dryly, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“Mama?” Kakashi asked, fingers curling into Orochimaru’s hair.

Orochimaru lifted his head again, sighing. “This is Kakashi, my son. Kakashi, this is your Uncle Jiraiya. And his,” he paused, “children. Come inside.” he ordered, stepping aside and gesturing. “Behave.”

“We will.” Konan said softly, bowing her head as she moved forwards, the boys trailing after her.

“Not you.” Orochimaru waved his free hand. “You.” He pointed at Jiraiya.

“Orochi-”

“No excuses.” Orochimaru said pointedly. “Sakumo will be back this evening, and dinner is waiting for him; are you hungry, in the meantime?” he asked the children, ignoring Jiraiya for the moment.

Chapter 583: Here With Me

Chapter Text

“Are you all right, lovely?” Sakumo asked softly, sliding his hands over Orochimaru’s shoulders and settling near him; close enough to feel his warmth.

“You’re here with me. Of course I am.” Orochimaru said, shaking his head slightly.

Sakumo made a low uncertain sound, not quite a growl, low in his throat, then moved to nudge even closer against Orochimaru. He nuzzled Orochimaru’s shoulder affectionately, crooning, and he leaned into his mate with a sigh, letting Sakumo take his weight.

Support him.

Orochimaru’s lips twitched, and Sakumo rumbled soothingly, one hand sliding over his stomach, holding him close. “Are you sure?” Sakumo asked, gentle and persistent with concern, and Orochimaru closed his eyes, remembering the bloody scattershot that had sprayed across the field, the young ninja he had been watching even if he wasn’t their sensei, the-

“No.” Orochimaru admitted, shaking his head, then turning further in towards Sakumo’s body. “But. . . Stay with me.”

“Always.” Sakumo promised instantly.

“Then I will be.” Orochimaru said, sliding his fingers inside Sakumo’s shirt to rest on his skin. Not in a bid to change the direction either his focus or his mate’s, but just . . . wanting to feel him.

Chapter 584: Pains

Chapter Text

Sakumo grimaced as pain lanced up his arm, fingers tightening on the teapot before he could drop it.

“Dad?” Kakashi asked, edging closer, sharp eyes on him, nose twitching as he breathed deeply. He wouldn’t find anything unusual that way.

. . .but he was too old to put off as Sakumo might have once, clever and determinedly curious as his mother.

Sakumo put the teapot on the counter and turned towards his cub, crouching and beckoning him in. He sat down, back against the cabinets, and brought Kakashi into a hug only with his left arm, the right one aching horribly.

“You remember we have talked about soulmates, cub?” Sakumo asked, smoothing his hand through Kakashi’s hair.

Kakashi nodded, watching his face intently. Last year he had started having small mystery pains himself; they weren’t yet sure if he only hadn’t shown them before, or if they had just begun with the birth of his soulmate, wherever they were.

“It is not serious, nothing to worry over,” Sakumo said gently, “but your Mama has been hurt on his mission.”

Kakashi went still, eyes widening. He looked down Sakumo’s body and back up, whining softly. “Mama?”

“My arm.” Sakumo said, offering it, and letting Kakashi inspect the aching limb, though it was outwardly fine. It felt like Orochimaru had broken it, probably by deflecting a blow, from the feeling when it had first hit.

Kakashi made a grumbling noise of consideration, then sighed, snuggling a little closer against Sakumo’s side. He squeezed his arm around his cub and stayed there in the floor with him.

Chapter 585: Of Impatience and Breaks

Notes:

Same AU as yesterday's, but a different angle on it.

Chapter Text

A tiny hiss of pain and then the sound of a small body hitting the floor had Orochimaru and Sakumo both immediately dropping their playful conversation and rushing through the door. Kakashi was collapsed on the floor, curled up with both hands wrapped around his calf, grimacing; he was silent, now.

He also looked unharmed. Orochimaru cut a glance at his mate, then knelt and called up chakra for a diagnostic jutsu, confirming it.

“What happened?” Sakumo asked, hand on Kakashi’s shoulder.

Kakashi shook his head, breath hitching. “I don’t know. It hurts.” He whined softly, and Orochimaru ended the jutsu and reached out, brushing his fingers over Kakashi’s brow.

“Your soulmate.” Orochimaru said softly, and Kakashi nodded, looking up at him with hopeful, distressed eyes. It was the first major pain he had taken from his soulmate in the three years since he had begun to feel them. Sakumo scooped him up carefully, cradling their son in his lap.

“I think . . . they broke it.” Kakashi looked at his lower right leg, grimacing a little. “This is terrible. I hope they’re. . .”

Sakumo snorted, nuzzling Kakashi’s hair. Having inherited something of Orochimaru’s flexibility, the few times Kakashi had come close to broken bones, he’d never quite broken anything himself before, even now he was taking low-level missions.

“Agreed.” Orochimaru said lightly. He’d had relatively few broken bones, but they had all been painful and obnoxious.

“I- I want to do something, to go and help, but I can’t.” Kakashi said, head bowing. “I don’t even know. . .”

“I know, cub.” Sakumo soothed, rocking Kakashi gently. “One day.”

Kakashi bared his teeth in irritation, though he didn’t growl. “Better be soon.” he grumbled, and Orochimaru hid his amusement.

“I know, cub.” Sakumo kissed the top of his head. “I hope so.”

Kakashi sighed, relaxing a little more into his father’s embrace.

Chapter 586: Jiraiya's

Chapter Text

Orochimaru tipped his head aside just as an affectionate kiss found its home beneath his ear, lips curving.

“There are cubs in our garden.” Sakumo observed, nipping the curve of Orochimaru’s ear. “Cubs I don’t recognise.”

“They belong to Jiraiya.” Orochimaru said dryly, and Sakumo stiffened. “He evidently realised he was unprepared for what he had taken on, panicked, and brought them home instead.”

It had taken a good year and Orochimaru was sure if anyone else had disappeared without leave, from the front lines of the war, for so long their sensei would have been only too happy to declare them a traitor and a nukenin, but Jiraiya, he knew, would be welcomed home with open arms. Jiraiya was unfamiliar with consequences.

“And brought them to you?” Sakumo said, voice tight and angry.

“So it seems.” Orochimaru said, shifting his weight a little and smoothing a hand over his stomach as their own little one protested his stillness with a wriggling kick, his back aching. “He’s asleep in one of the spare rooms.”

Sakumo growled softly, looking out at the children with his chin on Orochimaru’s shoulder. His own hands joined Orochimaru’s on his heavy belly and their cubling quieted under their father’s hands; Orochimaru’s lips quirked and he shook his head, leaning into Sakumo’s chest.

“What are you going to do?” Sakumo asked, and Orochimaru sighed, closing his eyes.

“I have no idea. Jiraiya brought them, he can keep them . . . but I wouldn’t abandon them to Jiraiya alone, either.” Orochimaru said, tired.

“. . .they are only cubs, I suppose.” Sakumo grumbled. “They don’t deserve that.”

“Indeed.” Orochimaru hummed. Still. Jiraiya had brought them with him rather than simply abandoning them . . . perhaps he could be something resembling good for them . . . with some help.

Chapter 587: Slip

Chapter Text

Sakumo was panting, struggling to catch his breath as he forced himself to pull his hands away from his mate’s hair even as he wanted to drag Orochimaru even closer, push deeper into his mate’s mouth.

“Oro- Oro,” Sakumo moaned, and Orochimaru made a rumbling sound around his cock, tongue stroking his shaft as Orochimaru sucked harder and looked up at him, golden eyes molten, “gonna come, fuck, knot, you-”

Orochimaru’s fingers danced over his thigh, and Orochimaru’s mouth worked over his cock without drawing back, and Sakumo arched, head falling back as he stifled his cries at least a little. His hips jerked up and Orochimaru stroked up and down his thigh once more, throat squeezing around the head of his cock, and-

Sakumo wasn’t sure how much he managed to stifle his howl of pleasure as he came, but he had resisted grabbing his mate again, his fingers aching with the strength of his grip on the seat of his chair.

He panted raggedly, waves of blissful warmth washing through his body, shivery with tension. He gasped and jerked his head up, looking down. Orochimaru’s eyes were closed, and he had Sakumo’s entire cock buried in his mouth, sharp nose brushing Sakumo’s belly - Sakumo’s knot lodged behind his teeth, his tongue caressing it in slow strokes.

“Ah! Oro, fuck, are you- I tried-” Sakumo shook his head, cringing. “Are you all right?” he asked, stroking Orochimaru’s brow.

Orochimaru’s eyes snapped open, and Sakumo felt even more breathless as he met that fierce gaze. Orochimaru shifted just a little, throat flexing against the head of Sakumo’s cock, and he felt dizzy as he caught a glimpse of Orochimaru stroking his own cock, hard and fast. Orochimaru moaned softly, tongue curling around Sakumo’s cock, eyes going heavy-lidded once more as he sucked, shifting his head the little he could.

Fuck.” Sakumo breathed, heat flaring in his veins to join the tingling pleasure of his orgasm. “Fuck, fuck, lovely-” he stroked Orochimaru’s brow, fingers running through his mate’s hair, and watched as best he could, mind filling in the details as his mate very clearly got off, eagerly, to having Sakumo’s knot in his mouth.

Chapter 588: Non-Emergency, Non-Disruption

Chapter Text

Sakumo sighed, well aware he should go deal with whoever was knocking at the door - it might even be important, might be a mission, he might be called in. . .

“Stay.” Orochimaru said, not an order but words barely carried on a soft breath, not even moving where he lay across Sakumo’s body.

Sakumo hummed, bringing one hand up in a lazy sweep from where it had been resting, lax, on Orochimaru’s hip. He smoothed his fingers through his mate’s silky hair and sank them deep through the thick strands, rubbing the nape of his neck.

“All right.” Sakumo closed his eyes, unwilling to move. The knocking at the door came again, but was no more urgent. He hummed, and Orochimaru shifted minutely.

Just enough to let his tongue flick out, tilting his head. “Calm.” he said, fingers trailing over Sakumo’s ribs, and he let himself relax entirely. “Not an emergency.”

Chapter 589: Rambunctious Mischief

Chapter Text

Orochimaru crouched, sliding down onto hands and knees and peeking around the tansu, which had been pushed out from the wall. “Are you being a mischief?” he asked playfully.

“Nooo!”

Orochimaru smothered a laugh at the giggling protest, moving around to look behind the tansu from the other side, just as a fluffy tail disappeared around the corner. Orochimaru pulled back, turning, and Kakashi and the wolf cubs tumbled together as they darted out of reach.

Orochimaru moved carefully slowly as he lunged after them, then stopped with a laugh as they yipped with surprise - running straight into Sakumo at the door. Sakumo dropped down with a growl, blocking the cubs and scooping Kakashi into his arms as he yowled.

Orochimaru stretched and crossed to join them, tumbling one of the wolf cubs into his fellows and soothingly petting fluffy shoulders and bellies as he was assaulted by small paws. Kakashi joined them a moment later and Orochimaru glared over their son’s head at his mate, who was laughing.

Sakumo rose and all but plucked Orochimaru out of the heap of little ones and back to his feet, Kakashi held in the crook of his arm and the cubs barking around their legs.

“I think it’s about naptime for rambunctious little cubs.” Sakumo observed, kneeling to ruffle the wolf cubs’ ears.

“Dad!” Kakashi protested, pouting, and Orochimaru bounced him.

“No, your father’s right. A snack and then naptime.” Orochimaru agreed, glancing down. “For all of you.”

Kakashi opened his mouth to protest again but was interrupted by a yawn.

“Mmhm.” Orochimaru kissed his brow.

Chapter 590: Direct Diagnosis

Chapter Text

“Are you trying to exacerbate blood toxicity by combining it with poisoned chakra?”

Giichi jolted upright from his patient, then whirled, eyes narrowing, to find- A child. A child glaring at him through slightly oversized glasses.

No one else was within sight.

“I am an iryou nin, kid,” Giichi said impatiently, “and this is my patient. I assure you he is in good-”

“You’re an idiot,” the kid said, and Giichi was shocked speechless, “and that is my brother. Leave him alone before you make him worse.”

The kid stomped past him and Giichi reached to grab the brat only for strong, cool fingers to clamp around his wrist just shy of painfully tight. Giichi swallowed. No one who had done shifts at the hospital in the last two decades could fail to recognise-

“I suggest,” Orochimaru said in a voice that was somehow both silky and icy sharp, “you leave my children alone. Go find some other disaster to cause.”

Giichi jerked back the moment Orochimaru released him, and nearly bumped right into the White Fang. He cringed as the man growled at him, scurrying out the door. His charge on the floor could deal with it, Giichi was not fighting it out with those two.

It was their son he’d been trying to treat, if they didn’t want his help. . .

Giichi shuddered, frowning a little as he remembered the kid’s first words. He shook his head, pushing it away; that was far above a kid’s understanding, let alone something he could have diagnosed. Giichi had been doing his job.

Chapter 591: Moderating Storytime

Chapter Text

“What did the onsen girls say after that, Oji-gama?”

Sakumo stiffened, leaving the basket he carried on the floor and striding out the door to where Jiraiya was entertaining Kakashi and Tenzou.

Well-” Jiraiya broke off, looking up, hands still raised in an expansive gesture. “Maybe I’ll tell you in a bit, why don’t you go play.”

Tenzou looked puzzled, and pulled himself to his feet - only a little wobbly, now, he was so big - only to reach for Sakumo. “Daddy!”

Sakumo smiled, dropping to one knee and kissing Tenzou’s brow, bringing him in for a hug. “Go play with your Aniki, my little sapling.” he suggested, nudging Tenzou to follow Kakashi towards the steps down into the garden.

“What is it?” Jiraiya asked, tilting his head.

Sakumo leaned closer. “I’m sure you think after a lifetime of shrugging off my mate and your teammate at their angriest, there’s not much I could do to you,” he said, and Jiraiya stilled, “let me assure you, if you tell my cubs inappropriate stories,” Sakumo felt his raiton flaring under his skin and let it rise, making his teeth buzz and his hair crackle, “it will be the last thing you regret for a very long time.”

Jiraiya eased backwards and Sakumo caught his shoulder with one hand, a sharp zap under his palm as he made contact making Jiraiya twitch. “Ah- Sakumo, you know I wouldn’t- You know I love my nephews.”

“Which is the only reason you have thus far been allowed to do this.” Sakumo smiled, gesturing out towards the cubs. It wasn’t a very nice smile. “That can change. Many things can change, Jiraiya.” he growled as he leaned in close again. “Make yourself one of them, before we have an issue, ne?”

Jiraiya swallowed, and Sakumo patted his shoulder, rising and looking out at the cubs with a smile. Kakashi was prancing ahead of Tenzou, just enough to be out of reach, but watching him and ducking back when he wobbled too much, supporting him until they rolled across the soft undergrowth.

Chapter 592: Staying Snug (staying snug)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo crooned and bounced his younger cub in his arm, turning towards Kakashi in answer to the gentle tug at his pants. “Kakashi?” he asked, crouching and opening his free arm to his other cub.

Tenzou wriggled and clung to his shoulder, and Kakashi edged into his embrace. “Why is Mama still in bed?” he asked, and Sakumo grumbled quietly. He hugged Kakashi, nuzzling his brow.

“You know how much Mama dislikes the cold.” Sakumo said, ruffling the messy hair at the nape of Kakashi’s neck.

“Cold.” Tenzou repeated, and made a couple of small shivery noises until Sakumo cuddled him in close against his brother and Sakumo’s own chest.

“He is . . . staying warm, mostly, I think.” Sakumo continued.

Kakashi frowned slightly, and Sakumo smiled, kissing the top of his head. “I’m sure he would be happy if you went to join him for a while.” he suggested softly.

Kakashi blinked, then smiled, and Sakumo squeezed him close for a moment. “If you wait a few minutes, you can take him a mug of tea.”

“I’ll wait!” Kakashi said, and Sakumo chuckled, stroking Kakashi’s hair and then releasing him to rise and see to the tea on the counter.

Notes:

Oro, I feel you; that has been me whenever I can the past few days, curled up in my nest of blankets and unwilling to emerge. >.>

next in arc

Chapter 593: Delivery of Mug (staying snug)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru slid one of the blankets down as he heard the soft sound of the door opening, and his brows rose as Kakashi stepped inside, carefully closing the door behind himself.

“Hello Mama.” Kakashi said, approaching the futon with both hands cradling a mug before him.

Orochimaru shifted slowly, sitting up but keeping the blankets around himself as best he could as he moved. “Hello, precious. What have you got there?”

“Dad said you’re staying away from the cold.” Kakashi said, eyeing him, and Orochimaru’s lips twisted wryly. He tilted his head. “He said . . . you might like company? And I should bring you tea.”

Orochimaru accepted the mug as Kakashi held it out to him, shifting it easily to one hand and then reaching for his son.

Kakashi smiled, clambering into the blankets beside Orochimaru and squirming down to tuck against his hip. “Ready for an afternoon nap, little one?” Orochimaru asked, and Kakashi huffed, but didn’t cease his wriggles for getting comfortable.

“Be with Mama.” Kakashi mumbled, and Orochimaru rested a hand on his head, heart achingly full and warm. He shivered, then cradled the mug closer, taking a careful sip.

“Thank you, precious.” Orochimaru said softly, then curled an arm around Kakashi’s shoulders. “For the company and the tea.”

Chapter 594: Shared Enjoyment

Chapter Text

Sakumo glanced down at his mate, stretched out between his legs and lying against his chest, and smothered a laugh. He trailed his fingers down and back up Orochimaru’s forearms. “Not seeing much of the sunrise.” he pointed out, voice low, glancing back up at the eye-smarting glint of the sun peeking over the horizon.

Orochimaru made a soft sound of contentment, shifting languidly, toes curling, then went still and lax again. “I can feel it.” he said dismissively, bending one knee up briefly.

The shadows were slowly lightening around them, the blue-grey tinge of the world fading out to warmer shades, and Sakumo could feel the warmth of the sun as well, but he laughed anyway, pressing his lips to his mate’s hair. “As long as you’re enjoying taking it in, I suppose.” he said wryly.

“I’m enjoying taking you in.” Orochimaru said sleepily, then paused, lips pursing, and tilted his head, golden eyes slitting open. “. . .so to speak. I can enjoy that properly later.”

Sakumo choked on his laughter, winding his arms around his mate and burying his face against Orochimaru’s slender neck as he folded forwards over his mate. Orochimaru hissed, verging on irritation but too lazy to quite get there, and tilted his head away as Sakumo pressed against him.

“Well. Whatever you enjoy, I suppose, lovely.” he said, voice rough with his laughter.

Chapter 595: Pounce!

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“They’re pretty.” Tsunade observed, looking at his eyes but somehow not looking him in the eyes, which was a remarkably disconcerting sensation.

“They’re definitely not yours.” Jiraiya said, shrugging.

“His are prettier, but that’s not the point.” Tsunade said, swatting Jiraiya absently, not looking.

“That is not actually helpful.” Orochimaru said sharply, and then pushed at them both before bringing his hands up to make a clone. “Oh move, I’ll just-”

It’s you!

Orochimaru had a split second to register the howling voice, and then he tumbled to the ground under a significant weight, shocked to have been so- so taken by surprise. He moved to lash out only to check himself immediately, eyes widening as he met his own eyes in a new face.

His soulmate was crooning as they rolled over together, hands coming up to frame his face. “I’ve finally found you. . .” he said, voice soft and slightly shaky.

Orochimaru swallowed. “Hello.” he said quietly, struggling to pull his brain together and somehow not quite able to muster displeasure at the way he’d been assaulted, when faced with the tremor in that low voice and the soft hope and delight reflected in his own eyes in that new face, framed by tousled silver fringe.

“I’m Sakumo and I’ve been waiting for you forever.” his soulmate said, grinning at him and showing sharp, oversized canines.

“I’m Orochimaru,” Orochimaru said, lips curving as he raised an eyebrow, “and I didn’t expect to find you by being pounced off my feet not ten minutes after my eyes first changed. . .”

Sakumo flushed, but his grin didn’t wane, and Orochimaru gave in to impulse - the man had pounced on him - and reached up to put his fingers in that wild silver hair.

Notes:

Someone may have said they'd like to see Sakumo pounce Oro in the little set Eyes, so here, an alternate version~ ;)

Chapter 596: Return Patrol

Chapter Text

Quiet reigned over the house and despite the early hour Sakumo felt a flicker of suspicion; not that it was often overly loud, but. . . He prowled on silent feet, ghosting through the dim rooms, his heavy gear left by the door along with his tanto - it would need some care after the hard use it had been put to over the last weeks, but that was for later.

He found the kitchen still and empty, his mate’s workroom closed up and silent beyond the heavy door. Tenzou’s room was empty, but Sakumo found him in the sunroom among the riot of plants, legs folded and eyes closed, hands clasped before his chest. Meditating.

Sakumo didn’t disturb him, continuing with a small smile. Kakashi’s room was closed up as well, but when Sakumo paused by the door, listening closely, he heard soft breathing within.

He moved on, finding Kabuto curled on the engawa with a book, shivering a little but mostly asleep. Sakumo backtracked into the house, retrieving a blanket and bringing it out to drape over his youngest. Kabuto didn’t wake, only mumbled and pulled his book close to his chest, cuddling it. Sakumo smiled at him, retreating indoors again.

“Okaeri, wolf-heart.”

Sakumo turned to find his mate, wrapped in a warm winter kimono he was definitely not wearing properly, standing at his back, watching him with a warm smile.

“Tadaima, lovely.” Sakumo reached out and Orochimaru tilted his head, moving closer.

“All is well?” he asked, stepping into Sakumo’s arms and sliding his hands up to Sakumo’s shoulders.

“It is now.” Sakumo said softly, bowing his head and closing his eyes as he nuzzled Orochimaru’s cheek, eliciting a soft sound of contentment from his mate.

Chapter 597: Lap Nap

Chapter Text

“Up?”

Sakumo broke off, looking down. Tenzou was clinging to the side of his chair, wide eyes fixed on his face. “Daddy! Up!” He released the chair and reached up, pouting, and wobbled for a moment before steadying.

Sakumo carefully slid his chair back and bent sideways. “Of course, my little sapling.” He nosed Tenzou’s brow and kissed his temple, scooping him up and getting him settled in Sakumo’s lap.

He yawned directly in Sakumo’s ear and he stifled a laugh. Tenzou sighed, curling his legs up and hooking his fingers into Sakumo’s shirt. Sakumo rubbed his back, rumbling softly, and he blinked sleepily as he looked around.

“I thought he - they - were with Orochimaru.” Dan said softly, motioning towards Tenzou as Kohari looked at him and visibly stifled herself, eyes soft.

Sakumo’s lips twitched and he shook his head. “He’s helping Tsunade with something I probably don’t want to ask too much about at the hospital.” he said wryly, and cupped a hand over the nape of Tenzou’s neck as he sagged against Sakumo’s stomach. “No, his brother was watching him in the sunroom.”

Sakumo twisted enough to glance over his shoulder and caught a silvery muzzle peeking around the corner. He smiled and tipped his head, and Kakashi grinned, then disappeared back the way he had come.

“He probably wouldn’t have made it all the way in here on his own feet alone.” Sakumo said quietly, looking down at Tenzou’s face, heart squeezing.

“Daddy.” Tenzou said again, eyes barely open, and Sakumo suppressed an affectionate croon that would probably only wake him further.

Chapter 598: Daddy's Home

Chapter Text

Orochimaru rubbed his thumb over the wrappings on the kunai, unwinding the last few turns and smoothing out the fabric a little more before tying it off. He used them rarely enough, but he always kept his equipment in good condition.

Slipping a fingertip through the loop opposite the blade, he flicked the metal lightly, spinning it absently.

“Daddy!”

Orochimaru’s head flew up and he nearly flicked the kunai off entirely, eyes darting first to Tenzou - scrambling up from the cushion he’d been sitting on across the engawa - and then out across the garden. Sakumo was halfway from the gate and had just burst into a run, reaching the edge of the engawa just as Tenzou did.

“Daddy!” Tenzou cried again, voice burbling with a delighted giggle as Sakumo swept him up and spun with him before bringing him down to cuddle against Sakumo’s chest.

Orochimaru’s heart fluttered as he watched his mate coddle their youngest, a smile tugging at his lips. He put his kunai down and rose, moving to join them, and Sakumo lifted his head, eyes bright as he grinned, shifting Tenzou to extend an arm to Orochimaru as well.

Orochimaru greeted him with a kiss rather than words, leaning into his shoulder as his arm curled around Orochimaru’s waist. Tenzou made a little contented sound, head settled on Sakumo’s opposite shoulder and fingers curled into his shirt, and Orochimaru smiled warmly.

Chapter 599: Set and Split

Chapter Text

“Lovely, would you give me a hand before you-”

“Of course.” Orochimaru laughed, plucking Tenzou from the support of Sakumo’s arm, leaving him with both hands free to settle the sling into place.

Kakashi snuffled around their legs, watching curiously, then sat down, tail swishing, as Orochimaru gently tucked Tenzou into the sling on his father’s back. Tenzou giggled, tiny fists drumming on Sakumo’s shoulder, then curling into his hair.

Sakumo laughed, reaching back over his own shoulder to brush Tenzou’s cheek with his knuckles. “All set, sapling cub?”

Tenzou made an excited noise, bouncing, and the sling barely shifted.

“I think you are.” Orochimaru agreed, looking it over with a careful eye. “Have fun today, little one,” he leaned in and kissed Tenzou’s cheek, “and you, wolf-heart.”

Sakumo pulled him into a lingering, soft kiss. “You too, lovely, cub.” He looked down and ruffled Kakashi’s ears as he leapt up, bracing his front paws on Sakumo’s thigh. “You’re set for the day as well?”

Orochimaru nodded, and they parted ways at the door, Kakashi running alongside his mother and Tenzou - settled heavily and securely in the sling - burbling quietly to himself behind Sakumo’s nape, tugging at his hair.

Chapter 600: Place

Chapter Text

“But I want-”

“Oh for-” Kabuto put his book aside, baring his teeth, and jumped on his otouto.

Deidara yowled, laughing, and Kabuto knelt astride him, eying him dubiously.

“You,” he told Deidara, pointing straight into his face, “are insufferable.”

“Got your attention.” Deidara said, grinning, unruffled.

Deidara was perpetually unruffled, it seemed like, for as much time as he spent shouting and running about. Sometimes Kabuto wished he could internalise the steadier part of that himself. Their parents were like that, too, and-

Well, maybe their brothers too, in their own ways. Kabuto frowned. Odd one out again. Even from Deidara, who was even younger and newer than he was, and no more blood. Not that Kabuto believed Tenzou was their parents’ blood either, but everyone else did, and he wasn’t stupid enough to give it away.

“Hey. Kabuto-nii?” Deidara wriggled, reaching up, and Kabuto grumbled, watching him.

He remembered what Mama had said about Deidara, and the long talk with Dad about his place with their family.

Kabuto got off Deidara and he sighed, hauling himself up to his knees and pushing his fringe back.

“Well?” Kabuto hopped off the engawa.

“. . .huh?”

“Are you coming?” Kabuto asked, giving a sharp little grin he’d learned from Mama.

Deidara blinked, then beamed, scrambling up and leaping off the edge of the engawa, following eagerly after Kabuto

Chapter 601: Grief and Family

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Gai pulled roughly at the fringe edging the blanket that had been settled across his lap when he half collapsed here earlier. After dinner. He didn’t really remember what he’d eaten, but he did vaguely remember agreeing to finish his entire bowl with Kakashi’s mother nudging him.

He. . . He should go-

Home.

The thought made Gai’s heart ache and a fresh sob come to his lips.

“You won’t be going back there.”

Gai looked up, eyes wide, and Kakashi’s father settled, legs crossed, on the floor before him. “Not tonight,” Sakumo said, smiling sadly, “if there’s anything you need tomorrow morning will be soon enough.”

“But. . .” Gai barely managed to get the word out.

“You didn’t think we were going to leave you to yourself, did you?” Sakumo asked, brushing a hand over Gai’s hair.

Gai sniffed, looking at him in confusion. Attention divided, Gai jumped as Kakashi slid up against his side, warm and steady, curling an arm around his own.

He looked at Kakashi, and Kakashi leaned his head against Gai’s, whining softly. Gai sniffled.

Warm hands slid over his shoulders, and Gai’s breath caught. Orochimaru sat at his side, arm wrapped around him and Kakashi on his other side. “We cannot fill the space that was left,” he said gently, and Gai choked, eyes burning, “but we won’t leave you alone, little one.”

He kissed the top of Gai’s head as Kakashi cuddled even closer against him, and Gai shuddered between them.

“You have a family in us, Gai,” Sakumo said, squeezing Gai’s hand, “whatever else.”

Notes:

I've been meaning to write them taking in Gai after his father's death for some time now . . . here is at least one look at it.

Chapter 602: Settled? (brotherly banglet)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Where is our little banglet?” Sakumo asked, trailing his fingers through Orochimaru’s hair.

Orochimaru laughed. “What would he think of being called that?” he asked idly.

Sakumo hummed thoughtfully, remembering Deidara laughing gleefully as he ran around the back garden causing minor explosions. “I think he’d be delighted.”

“You’re probably right.” Orochimaru agreed, settling a little more cosily against Sakumo’s legs. He shivered as the tips of Orochimaru’s silky hair tickled over his lower calf, just below the hem of his pants. “He’s settled in with Kakashi, I believe.”

“Mm?” Sakumo frowned. “That’s good. He’s comfortable with Kakashi?”

Tenzou had been quiet and stiff for a few days when they brought Deidara home with them, making him tense and a little skittish in turn, but after a week or two they had eased around each other. Kakashi, however, hadn’t even come home from his own mission until over a month after they’d brought Deidara home. They hadn’t had much time, yet, to get to know one another.

“It certainly seemed so.” Orochimaru sat up, pulling away, and Sakumo frowned. “Why don’t you go check on them while I start dinner?” he suggested, climbing to his feet.

Sakumo sighed, stretching and climbing to his feet. “All right.” he agreed, tugging Orochimaru closer and kissing his cheek, smiling as he leaned into it with an affectionate nuzzle.

Chapter 603: Sacked Out (brotherly banglet)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

With Kakashi. Sakumo had checked in the back garden - though it was quiet, and he hadn’t been terribly surprised that it was empty - and now he doubled back into the house, frowning slightly. It was quiet, too.

Tenzou was curled up in a corner of the sunroom with a book, and he looked up with a smile as Sakumo leaned in. He returned it, lifting a hand, and slipped out again.

Deidara’s room was empty, but Kakashi’s. . .

Sakumo paused in the doorway, chest warm, smiling slightly. Kakashi was stretched out on his futon, head resting on a heap of Nori’s coils. Deidara was sprawled on top of him, head on his chest, mouth open, huffing quietly every few breaths in his sleep.

Settled indeed.

“Need us, Dad?” Kakashi asked, opening his eyes, fingers curling at the nape of Deidara’s neck, tangled in his long hair. Deidara wriggled a little, sighing, opening and closing his mouth a few times before he went lax again.

“Not yet. Your mother’s starting dinner.” Sakumo said quietly. “He seems worn out.” He nodded towards Deidara, and Kakashi grinned.

“We went for a run out in the forest,” Kakashi gestured vaguely with his free hand, “gave him a chance to be as loud as he wanted. I did have to catch him once,” he added wryly, “when he blew up the tree he was perching in.”

Sakumo covered his face with one hand and Kakashi laughed.

“He’s fine. Hopefully he won’t do it again.” Kakashi said lightly, and Sakumo shook his head, dropping his hand again. Kakashi rubbed the nape of Deidara’s neck and he mumbled fitfully before going limp.

“I’ll come get you for dinner, then?” Sakumo suggested, and Kakashi nodded, closing his eyes and rolling his shoulders, settling more easily against Nori as he shifted his coils.

Sakumo stepped back, leaving them alone and heading back into the kitchen to help his mate.

Notes:

Deidei has gotten quite fond of his Aniki quite swiftly, and I'm sure field trips to play 'as much explosions as you want' in the undeveloped forest have only helped that along~ ;)

next in arc

Chapter 604: Pre-Dinner Doze (brotherly banglet)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Well then?” Orochimaru asked, and Sakumo laughed, going to his mate. Orochimaru smiled, tilting his head to look over his shoulder as Sakumo slid a hand over his back and hip. “All settled in?”

“Of course you were right.” Sakumo agreed, kissing Orochimaru’s cheek. “Deidara is asleep with his brother; apparently they went out to play for a while. Further from the house. And Deidara wore himself out.”

“I wonder how long that took.” Orochimaru murmured wryly, and Sakumo snorted, sliding his hands over Orochimaru’s sides to hug him around the waist.

“Kakashi looks like he might be ready for a nap, too.” Sakumo offered by way of answer, smirking. Orochimaru laughed, shaking his head. “Anything I can help with in here, lovely?”

Chapter 605: Exhaustive Explosive (brotherly banglet)

Chapter Text

“Time for dinner, cubs.” Sakumo said, leaning in Kakashi’s door.

Kakashi groaned, and Nori nudged at his neck. Nori said something, but Sakumo was far enough away to only hear a soft hiss.

“Right.” Kakashi grumbled, and shifted a little. “Deidei.” he called quietly.

Sakumo’s brows rose, but he didn’t say anything as Kakashi rubbed at the nape of Deidara’s neck, under his hair, shaking him gently. “Time to get up, otouto. Dinner.”

Deidara whined, somehow sprawling out even more on his brother’s chest. Sakumo’s lips twitched and he stepped back, leaving them to it and going to stir Tenzou from his book, which was a much easier process.

Sakumo ruffled his hair and sent him on towards the kitchen, stopping to check in and be sure his other cubs hadn’t gone back to sleep. Kakashi was getting to his feet with Deidara still mostly asleep, it seemed, in his arms.

“I didn’t think it was possible to get him that worn out.” Sakumo observed with some amusement as Deidara’s head drooped on Kakashi’s shoulder.

“He did use his kekkai genkai quite a bit today.” Kakashi said, huffing as he shifted Deidara’s weight. “Come on, otouto, wake up. Time for dinner.”

Sakumo frowned. “He didn’t-”

“I kept track of him,” Kakashi said, meeting Sakumo’s eyes, “he didn’t use too much chakra. He just got excited.”

“Fun.” Deidara mumbled, and Kakashi smiled slightly and shook his head, walking towards Sakumo as Deidara sighed, arms creeping up around Kakashi’s neck even as he lifted his head. “Dinner time?”

“Yes, cub.” Sakumo rumbled affectionately, resting a hand on Kakashi’s back as they joined him and nudging them ahead of him.

Chapter 606: Smitten

Chapter Text

Dan shook his head. “How can you look at him like that when he’s- Oh don’t growl at me!” he interrupted himself, flapping a hand at Sakumo.

Sakumo’s lip curled, baring a fang.

“You love him, I got that.” Dan said, and Sakumo snorted. “How can you make that sappy face at him when he’s-” Dan shuddered, and Sakumo cocked his head. “Those traps he was outlining . . . that would all but vivisect anyone caught in them.”

“I know.” Sakumo sighed dreamily. His mate was so brilliant.

. . .oh. That was what was bothering Dan?

Sakumo eyed his teammate. “We’re ninja, Dan.” he said dryly. “Being attracted to deadly viciousness is hardly new.” He gestured, grinning. “Why, look at the woman your own heart-”

“Hush!” Dan yelped, nearly knocking him over, hands grabbing at his face as though there was anyone to overhear them but-

Boys! Honestly.” Kohari huffed, laughing, and kicked Sakumo in the ribs, hauling Dan up by one arm. “Stop trying to kill each other, we have a patrol to get out on. And I hear we’re going to be backup for Team Seven on their mission.”

Sakumo perked up - he didn’t often get to work with his mate - but Dan almost keened. Sakumo met Kohari’s eyes and they both stifled laughter. Dan’s smitten feelings for Tsunade were more than obvious, at least to his team - they who knew him best - and while they would never give them away for him, or tease him in front of anyone else. . .

Well, when it was just them, it was most definitely fair game. It was only Dan’s poor luck - and his caution - that he was the only one of their team who had yet to speak his feelings to the object of his affections, and, indeed, settled down with them.

Chapter 607: New Toy

Chapter Text

Sakumo watched warily as Jiraiya crouched, offering something to Kakashi.

Jiraiya grinned, ruffling Kakashi’s hair - he allowed it without snapping, which might be due to his actually listening as they told him not to bite, or might, more likely, just be because he actually liked his Oji-gama - and sitting back as Kakashi tore into the present curiously. “There you are, it-”

Kakashi snarled and pounced on the plush toy, and Sakumo sighed. “You know he’s likely to destroy anything like that. And he’s,” he paused, “not particularly fond . . . of toads in the first place.”

Jiraiya laughed, rising and dusting himself off a bit. “Oh, I know.” he said cheerfully. “Wait a few minutes.”

Sakumo eyed Kakashi tearing into the plush, which already looked a bit battered, and-

He jumped and Kakashi yelped as it made a strangled croaking noise between his hands. Sakumo eyed Jiraiya warily.

“Jiraiya, did you bring my son a toy with a squeaker in it?” Orochimaru asked dryly, joining them.

Jiraiya laughed. “Maybe. I thought it might-”

Kakashi yowled and tumbled across the floor with the plush in his jaws again, bursting into giggles as there was a harsh ripping sound.

“Well it may entertain him for this afternoon, at least.” Sakumo allowed, shaking his head a little as Kakashi giggled, running out of sight.

“Ahh, but there’s a special trick to it.” Jiraiya looked very smug, and Sakumo tensed.

“Jiraiya. . .” Orochimaru said warningly, glaring.

“Nothing that’ll hurt him! I swear!” Jiraiya said hurriedly. So he could learn, Sakumo thought wryly, looking back at his cub as Kakashi came back into view around the couch, still a little concerned.

“Here, I’ll show you.” Jiraiya said, putting his hands up. “Kakashi, why don’t you show Mama the toy?”

Kakashi growled, but trotted over to them obligingly enough, dropping the plush into his hands. The fabric was shredded in places and stuffing was already beginning to come out of it. Sakumo winced. Kakashi was . . . very hard on any toy that actually held his interest, which was hard enough to begin with.

“Watch.” Jiraiya said, and Sakumo eyed him, glancing back at Kakashi, holding the toy out to Orochimaru as he bent to look at it. Sakumo blinked. The stuffing was pulling back in and the fabric sealing up as though being rewoven.

“Very nice!” Orochimaru told Kakashi, touching his cheek. “You can play, precious.”

Kakashi grinned, nuzzling into his mother’s hand, then yipped as Orochimaru pulled the toy away and tossed it, immediately bolting after it. Orochimaru rose and turned towards Jiraiya, brows arched.

“Fuinjutsu.” Jiraiya said smugly, and Sakumo had to admit, he’d earned it. “It won’t hold up to anything of course, but it should keep the toy in one piece for a good while, at least. No parts will come off, even if he’s ripping it apart, so he can’t swallow anything accidentally, and it’ll pull itself back together from that kind of damage as long as there’s chakra running through the fuinjutsu, which is sealed up inside.”

“That’s why it tastes like your chakra.” Orochimaru said, taking a quick breath.

Jiraiya nodded. “I don’t know how long it will last, but I should be able to fix it when it runs out.” he added, shrugging, hands open.

Chapter 608: Babysitting Dropoff

Chapter Text

“Are you sure you’ll be all right?” Sakumo hesitated, looking past his teammate to where his cub was happily absorbed in sniffing around the corners of the couch.

“He’s five years old. He remembers not to bite, yes?” Kohari asked, crossing her arms.

“Most of the time.” Orochimaru said honestly, and offered her a pouch. “We’ll come if you need us, but there’s antivenin and instructions for its use in here.”

Kohari’s mouth tightened, but she inclined her head. “We’ll be fine. We’ve not had any trouble before, and he’s been gentle with Iruka, that would be my only concern.” she said almost gently.

“Iruka’s tiny!” Kakashi said, appearing around her legs. “Can’t play rough with tiny cubs!”

Sakumo smiled at him, and Kakashi grinned back.

“We’ll be fine.” Kohari said again, with a soft murmur of amusement in her tone. “Go on.”

“Thank you.” Sakumo said, tugging her into a hug.

“You behave like a mannerly cubling, mm?” Orochimaru instructed, crouching to kiss Kakashi’s brow.

Chapter 609: Metaphorical Gutter

Chapter Text

“Do you want to wait for him to unearth himself from the metaphorical gutter?” Tsunade asked, raising her eyebrows and crossing her arms.

“I’m only waiting on you.” Orochimaru said, flipping the book in his hand closed and sliding it back on the shelf without looking at his teammate. His remaining teammate. Jiraiya had disappeared somewhere into the erotica shelves at the back.

“Fuck it.” Tsunade tossed the book she’d been looking at and turned away.

Hey.

Orochimaru twitched, looking around to find Kohari holding the book Tsunade had just thrown. She wagged it pointedly, and Sakumo took it from her hand, checking the spine and circling the table between them towards the shelf it had probably come from.

“Tsunade-san,” Sakumo dipped his head, stepping around her and finding a place on the shelf, fingers running along it, “lovely.” He smiled.

“Hatake.” Tsunade huffed, and Orochimaru snorted, moving to follow her towards the door and trailing his fingers over Sakumo’s stomach as he passed.

“Hatake-san.” Orochimaru said archly, and Sakumo pouted. He smothered a laugh.

“Where’s Dan?” Tsunade asked, frowning.

“I believe he went off on a special shopping trip; that he wanted to surprise you.” Kohari said, pulling a kunai and inspecting the edge innocently. The shopkeeper fidgeted anxiously. “Where’s your teammate?”

“In the gutter.” Orochimaru said dryly, and gestured towards the back of the bookshop. “Metaphorically.”

“For once.” Tsunade grumbled, and caught Orochimaru’s wrist. “Come on, he can haul himself out.”

Orochimaru let himself be dragged out of the bookshop, but caught Sakumo’s eye - he was still pouting; Orochimaru softened his smirk into a smile - and winked, flicking his fingers in a restrained wave.

Chapter 610: Attempting Ambush. . .

Chapter Text

Sakumo crossed his arms, watching from just inside the doorway as Deidara carefully clambered - with a few slips; he’d gotten the hang of treewalking very quickly, Sakumo thought with a grin - up the wall beside the opposite door. He angled himself carefully, fingers curling around the frame, knees pressed to the wall just above it.

He wobbled a little. He didn’t have the trick of bringing chakra to any part of his body other than his hands and feet, Sakumo thought, eying him - he couldn’t brace his knees properly.

Sakumo stepped out into clear view, but Deidara was too focused on the doorway beneath him and didn’t notice. Sakumo kept his steps silent, careful that he was within arm’s reach of the doorway before he spoke. Just in case.

“What are you up to, my little banglet?” Sakumo asked, and Deidara jumped, beginning to slide, twisting away from the wall. Sakumo moved to catch him, but he caught himself, with a flare of chakra that may have cracked the wood beneath his hands a little and a startled yelp. “I’m sorry, cub. Are you all right?” Sakumo asked, reaching up to check that Deidara was steady, though he was impressed his cub had managed to arrest his fall after the startle broke his concentration.

“Ninjing!” Deidara said, grinning. “Gonna catch Mama!”

Sakumo’s brows rose, and he glanced at the doorway, then back up at Deidara. “Is that so, little one?”

“Yeah!” Deidara wriggled in place, a determined look shading his features.

That was very unlikely, then again . . . Orochimaru might be a little slow, under the circumstances. It was almost impossible to take Orochimaru by surprise, but he was willing to do rather a lot to encourage their cubs in their practise prowling and setting ambushes.

Good lessons for any hunter, Sakumo thought, cocking his head and then stilling as he caught the faintest edge of sound; something like silk against wood. “You’re about to have your chance.” he said softly, barely a breath, and slid out of the way as Deidara’s breath caught silently, his eyes widening.

Orochimaru appeared through the doorway and Deidara dropped, yowling sharply enough that Sakumo winced, his ears ringing painfully. Orochimaru melted out of the way like smoke at the last moment, catching Deidara in his arms.

“Aw. . .” Deidara pouted, and Orochimaru laughed, soft and warm, stroking his hair and kissing his brow.

“Good try, darling.” Orochimaru said gently, continuing to neaten Deidara’s hair, which was fluffed out even more than usual from being mostly upside-down. “I didn’t know you could get so high on your own already!”

Deidara’s pout eased a little, and he wriggled happily. Sakumo stepped out of the corner to join them as Orochimaru began gently quizzing Deidara on how he thought he had given himself away, letting him puzzle through the pitfalls of concealing oneself in such a manner and how to avoid them.

Chapter 611: Tending and Terror

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo came awake to the unsettling sound of shrieking, and a nose full of the scents of blood, fear, and his mate. He held still, assessing, and Orochimaru rested a hand on his shoulder.

“You’re awake at last.” Orochimaru said, stroking his hair out of his face.

There was another bout of screams, and Sakumo coughed a little as he tried to sit up. “What-” He gestured weakly rather than finish, catching his breath.

“Tsunade fixed your ribs but they’ll be tender for a while. Don’t strain them.” Orochimaru said, resting a hand on his side where it ached dully. “As for that. . .” He gestured towards the wall of the tent, and Sakumo nodded. “Jiraiya is trying to terrify some of the younger chuunin.”

Sakumo grimaced. “What?” They had just come through a battle much like many others that Sakumo had fought through, little remarkable in the blur of blows and blood until there had been a fiery wash of pain that had dissolved into blackness. Surely the new ninja were already unnerved enough.

“I believe he is telling them horrific stories of hauntings.” Orochimaru said with an acid edge, settling Sakumo upright with the support of a folding zaisu. “Assuming Tsunade is still too busy tending the injured to stop him.”

Sakumo tilted his head, brushing his fingers over Orochimaru’s hip in thanks for his help. “You haven’t?”

Orochimaru bared his teeth. “Let the idiots cower.” he muttered, fingers brushing over Sakumo’s brow.

Notes:

Oh Sakumo. Like he was going to leave you just to defend the frightened younger ninja. *tsks*

And with that, I have updated this collection every day this year! I'll be back with more next year . . . tomorrow~

Chapter 612: Parenting Problems

Chapter Text

“I’m glad he likes baths, but his enthusiasm. . .” Sakumo shook his head, then wrinkled his nose as a lock of hair stuck to his cheek, pulling it away and squeezing the water out. “I- Lovely?”

Orochimaru was stretched out across the couch with one arm over his face.

“Are you all right?” Sakumo asked, crossing the room.

“Kabuto made tea.” Orochimaru said, and Sakumo frowned. “You would not think one rational, clever child would make such a mess in the process, and yet. . .”

“Oh dear.” Sakumo said, wincing. “Should I-”

“Tenzou is supervising cleanup.” Orochimaru sighed, moving his arm. “Deidara- Oh.” He sat up. “You are . . . very wet, considering you weren’t taking a bath.”

“Deidara is no longer covered in clay and splinters.” Sakumo confirmed. “. . .the bathing room could be cleaner. And, yes,” he plucked at his wet shirt, pulling it away from his skin, “I was collateral damage, it seems.”

Orochimaru laughed, and Sakumo chuckled and moved to join his mate on the couch, ignoring the wet for the moment.

Chapter 613: Keeping Warm

Chapter Text

“Mama?”

Orochimaru hummed, opening his eyes. “Yes, darling?”

Deidara edged closer, and Orochimaru shifted, sliding his knee down and pulling one hand free of the blankets to hold it out to his youngest. Sakumo sighed at his back, a huge heap of warm fluff, and Orochimaru leaned on him a little harder.

Deidara took the invitation, climbing up into Orochimaru’s lap and curling up against his body. “Aniki says you get cold easily and that’s why you’ve been inside and in bed and-”

Orochimaru kissed his temple and he fell silent, tucking his head down. Orochimaru wrapped him in an embrace. “Yes, darling. Like my snakes.” Orochimaru turned his hand palm up and Deidara slid his hand over it, tracing the scales gently. “I don’t care for the winter, and I will spend as much of it as possible here.” he said wryly.

Deidara cuddled closer and Orochimaru hugged him. “Are you all right?”

“I don’t want Mama to be cold!” Deidara said staunchly, and Orochimaru laughed softly, stroking his hair and holding him close. He was quite warm, like an energetic little furnace.

Sakumo lifted his head, nuzzling Deidara’s shoulder and whuffing gently. Deidara giggled, sinking his fingers into Sakumo’s fur and cuddling into them both.

Chapter 614: Blonde Hellions

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“I’m sorry I took so long!” Minato said, rounding the house, eyes sweeping over the back garden. “There was- It doesn’t matter.” He shook his head.

“You’re fine.” Orochimaru said absently, leaning over a book Tenzou was holding out to him, one finger tracing the page.

“There’s no time limit, nikkou.” Sakumo said, rising and moving towards Minato, pulling him into a hug. “Although I apologise for what Deidara may have taught him in the meantime. . . They spent a good bit of time giggling in the corner of the garden earlier.”

Minato laughed. “Oh, that should prove. . .” he trailed off, clearing his throat.

“We’re aware our youngest is a hellion.” Orochimaru said with dry amusement, and Tenzou laughed.

“Did he get into any trouble?” Minato asked earnestly.

“Everything is fine. Kakashi is making dinner, and Deidara and Naruto are both,” Sakumo paused, “helping.”

Minato’s brows rose, which was fair. Sakumo doubted either would be much actual help, particularly tonight when they were riled up from playing all day, but he was confident Kakashi could handle them.

“You’ll stay for dinner, won’t you?” Sakumo asked, and Minato relaxed a little.

“We’d love to, thank you.” Minato said, and Sakumo rumbled softly, swatting his shoulder.

“You’re always welcome. Come on inside.” Sakumo invited, beckoning as he stepped back. “Relax a little.”

Notes:

Since I'm sure someone will ask ;) I had in mind here that Naruto is about three, and Deidara seven. (Making Tenzou fourteen, Kakashi seventeen, and Minato twenty-seven.)

Chapter 615: Returning Report

Chapter Text

Sakumo lifted a hand in an absent wave as he passed by the mission desk, heading further up to report to the Sandaime personally. He was still turning over the choices he had made on his mission, though he didn’t, truly, think he could have done anything but what he had.

Still, he had brought back two of his squad straight to the hospital, and one of them teetered at the verge of being beyond active duty, if the iryou nin couldn’t repair the tendons in his hand. Sakumo sighed, shaking his head, and passed between the ANBU on duty and into the Hokage’s office, through the open door.

“Jounin Hatake.” the Sandaime greeted, tapping his pipe against the desk.

Sakumo murmured a polite greeting in return, but his eyes were on-

Orochimaru turned towards him with a small smile, one hand full of papers and the other arm cradling the dark blue sling resting heavy against his chest. Sakumo swallowed, heart aching warmly, and barely resisted the urge to go to his mate and cub.

“Hatake?” the Sandaime prompted, and Sakumo dragged himself away, crossing to stand opposite his Hokage’s desk.

He gave his verbal report, irritatingly aware of the Sandaime’s inattention even as he spoke, then put the scroll with his formal report down on the desk. Orochimaru came to join them, one hand sliding over Sakumo’s back and up to his shoulder, and Sakumo suppressed a shiver, turning a little towards his mate without conscious intention.

Kakashi was asleep tucked in the support of the sling, only a sliver of his face visible between the way he had it tucked against Orochimaru’s body and the wild disarray of his hair. Sakumo leaned towards his family, just a little.

“Dismissed, Jounin Hatake. You have three days of downtime before your next mission; it is already waiting.” the Sandaime said, and Sakumo’s hackles prickled, but he suppressed a growl.

“See you at home, wolf.” Orochimaru said softly, fingertips brushing his neck, then collected Sakumo’s report and moved back to the wall of files.

Sakumo sighed, bowing to his Hokage and giving his mate and cub one last, lingering look before he made his way out of the office.

Chapter 616: Everyday Expectations

Chapter Text

Orochimaru flicked water off his fingers and reached to take the pins from Tsunade’s hand, twisting her hair up more neatly himself. She sighed, sinking lower against the edge of the pool once more. “Thank you.”

Orochimaru hummed, stretching lazily and letting his arms slip beneath the surface of the water again. The voices around the other side of the rock to his left were growing louder, more disruptive, and he snorted, trying to tune them out and just soak in the heat, relaxing. He’d been pushing hard lately between keeping up with his team, work in his private lab, working with the research department - and dodging Danzou - and Kakashi; a little time spent quietly with one of his best friends was-

“Yes! I made a fancy meal for dinner, but he did the dishes!”

Orochimaru opened his eyes, glancing at Tsunade, who had a dubious look on her face.

“It was our anniversary, so when I asked him he did it almost without arguing!”

Orochimaru’s brows rose. Tsunade scowled, fingers flexing, as the women on the other side of the rock continued talking.

“I hate cooking; Dan does that and the dishes most of the time.” Tsunade said, huffing.

Orochimaru shrugged. “Sakumo has been doing more of the housework lately, I’ve been so busy. I’m hoping since we finished up early today I might actually make dinner. And spend some more time with our son.”

Tsunade laughed, shifting languidly and arching her back. “Well I’m hoping to go home and spend the evening lying on the couch while Dan cooks dinner.”

Orochimaru elbowed her, laughing softly. “I intended to help trading out the winter bedding for the lighter set, but when I got home yesterday Sakumo had already done that, as well.” He didn’t precisely feel guilty, but he hadn’t meant to leave so much to his mate.

“Sounds like Sakumo is enjoying being home more.” Tsunade said wryly.

Orochimaru shrugged. “He’s still training and taking short missions with his team, and they asked him to come help with a few classes at the Academy as well. We’re both busy.”

Fortunately thus far they had always been able to trade off keeping Kakashi between them, on less dangerous days. Orochimaru was . . . not looking forward to the day that would eventually prove impossible.

“Then at least he’s enjoying taking care of you.” Tsunade said, and Orochimaru shook off his thoughts, eyeing his teammate. “I do know your wolf, you know.”

Orochimaru laughed. “True enough, and I appreciate it. Still.”

Tsunade hummed. “Shall we leave, then?” she asked, yawning.

Orochimaru settled his head against the rock at his back. “A little longer.”

Chapter 617: Together Time for Dinner

Notes:

. . .titling these could be sketchy enough before I wrote over 600 of them. >.> Now especially I feel like they definitely get a little. . . Ah well. *laughs*

Chapter Text

Sakumo’s nose twitched as he stirred from a doze he hadn’t realised he was slipping into, lifting his head from the edge of the bath. He could smell something cooking - mostly spices, disguising whatever else it might be.

He stretched and hauled himself out of the bath, reaching for the towel he’d laid out. He couldn’t help but smile; Orochimaru hadn’t been home before dinner in over a week, and then he had been but Sakumo had returned late from an overnight mission.

He dried and dressed quickly, wringing his hair out with a smaller towel as he made his way to the kitchen, stopping by the bedroom to peek in and finding Kakashi still asleep in Nori’s coils. He lifted his head and Sakumo smiled at him.

Nori hissed softly, putting his head back down and nudging tighter around Kakashi, cradling him gently, and Sakumo moved on. He stopped a couple of paces into the kitchen, watching his mate move back and forth with absent grace.

“Okaeri, lovely.” Sakumo said, voice low, and Orochimaru stepped sideways, nudging something sizzling on the stove, then turned to face him with a warm smile. Sakumo went to him, drawn inexorably, and Orochimaru pulled him into warm embrace.

Chapter 618: Baby Bonding

Chapter Text

“Yes Dad! Come on Nori!” Kakashi bounded down the stairs, Nori obligingly slithering after him with a ripple of bunching muscle that got him moving faster than his bulky coils might suggest.

“Did that take some . . . getting used to?” Dan asked, nodding towards them as Sakumo turned back to him. Sakumo raised an eyebrow. “His being so close with that snake. I know your,” his voice hitched faintly, “mate and his summons, but. . .”

“Ah. Not particularly.” Sakumo shrugged. “It’s normal for Hatake cubs to bond with a companion when they’re very young.” He reached out and Yura nudged her head into his palm, making him smile as he rubbed her ear. “It was a small adjustment that Kakashi chose a snake, but he is his mother’s cub as much as mine.”

“Whatever his appearance.” Dan said wryly, and Yura snorted, tail swishing. She sat at Sakumo’s side, yawning as he stroked down the back of her neck. “I suppose that makes sense. Sometimes I. . .”

Sakumo glanced down at Yura, then back at his friend. “What?” he asked, but Dan only shook his head, smiling.

Chapter 619: Watching Over a New Cub

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Yura dipped her head and snuffled gently at Tenzou’s hair and down to his neck and shoulder. Sakumo smiled, looping an arm over her shoulders and leaning in towards her.

“A new cub.” Yura said, flicking one ear and grinning as she lifted her head.

“A new cub.” Sakumo agreed, glancing over his shoulder as the bedroom door opened. Kakashi tumbled in alongside Makoto and Matsu, and he laughed. Orochimaru stepped in on their heels, returning Sakumo’s smile.

The cubs all trotted towards the futon, and Kakashi growled as Matsu lunged a little too close to Tenzou, paws scrabbling on the fabric beside him.

“Otouto. . .” Kakashi crooned as Tenzou wriggled, waking up and immediately reaching for his brother.

Yura whuffed with amusement, giving a soft bark. Her cubs ducked low, ears folding back, and crept close more carefully. Sakumo sat back, watching Kakashi introduce them and rumbling affectionately as his mate’s fingers combed through his hair.

“We’ll watch over him with you, brother.” Yura promised, sitting at his side and leaning into his arm around her, muzzle pushing over his shoulder. Sakumo had told her how Tenzou had come to them. He hugged her tighter in lieu of words, and she gave an affectionate croon.

Notes:

A reminder: Yura is one of Sakumo's oldest summons (she's his age, and their bond is Sakumo's equivalent to Kakashi's with Nori) and Matsu and Makoto are her cubs, close to Kakashi's own age.

Chapter 620: Alpha Editing

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo suppressed a laugh as he heard yet another irritated hiss from the next room.

“You are amused at your own mate’s misfortune?” Yura said, snorting and giving him a sly look.

Sakumo barked a laugh. “Only a little.” he said lightly. “Besides, he got himself into this.”

Yura snickered, and Sakumo dried his hands, then nudged her out of the way as he stepped away from the sink to peek into the oven - the chicken wasn’t done yet - before leaving the kitchen.

Orochimaru slashed something aggressively across the uppermost page of the stack balanced against his thighs. Sakumo hummed, hiding a laugh. “How is it going?” he asked evenly.

Orochimaru was almost pouting as he looked up, just a hint too much frustration around the edges for it to look anything but angry. “Tsunade has already corrected the anatomical issues - most of them - but this is- a mess.” He huffed through his nose, scowling.

“It is even more kind of you to offer to help, then.” Sakumo said, moving closer. Orochimaru shifted, leaning up, and Sakumo smiled, settling behind him.

Orochimaru leaned back again across his lap with a sigh, going limp. “Something, in any case.”

“I’m sure Jiraiya appreciates your efforts.” Sakumo said. Knowing it was about his writing, that might even be the case.

Orochimaru smiled faintly. “Nevertheless, I think I am reaching the limit of my patience for one night.”

“Time for a break, then.” Sakumo leaned down to kiss his mate, fingers sliding into his hair. He heard the muted sound of the stack of papers hitting the floor beside the couch.

Notes:

I don't remember if I've used it outside of Sannin OT3 stories yet, but one headcanon I like is that Tsunade and Orochimaru are Jiraiya's first readers/help edit his drafts. It's a tough job sometimes. ;)

I have more to say about the Hatake-Yashagoro cublings and their bonds with their family's summons, but I need to create a few new characters . . . and today was too exhausting to leave me feeling up to that.

Chapter 621: Lax and Relax

Chapter Text

“Stop fidgeting.” Orochimaru murmured, voice soft around the edges from sleep.

Sakumo stilled, then sighed, long and slow, and brought one hand up to trail along his mate’s spine. Orochimaru went even more lax, somehow, under the caress, and Sakumo smiled fondly, rubbing a little more firmly as he reached the small of Orochimaru’s back.

“Cushions don’t move.” Orochimaru said, almost mumbling, the slow shift of his shoulders and head nudging his chin against Sakumo’s shoulder.

Sakumo laughed. “Shall I stop, then?” he asked, hand sweeping up the length of Orochimaru’s back again, kneading at the nape of his neck.

“No.” Orochimaru said, long legs flexing just enough to remind Sakumo of how closely they were wound up together. Then he relaxed once more, heavy and warm.

Sakumo loved these moments when his mate was relaxed and lazy and just sleep-fogged enough to let himself be. . .

He smiled, nuzzling Orochimaru’s hair, and stroked down his spine once more.

Chapter 622: Gratitude

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo choked on the remnants of a suiton jutsu he hadn’t quite managed to dodge as he yanked away from the swing of an enemy sword. He reached for his tanto but couldn’t get his fingers to it, sidestepping the flat side of an axe.

An enemy nin lunging at him, Sakumo went down to a sweep at the backs of his calves, hitting the ground hard. The enemy nin came after him, a spray of warm blood across his bare forearm and suddenly lax weight across his legs.

“Hey!” Sakumo snapped reflexively, already kicking away the body weighing him down.

“I know, I’m sure you had it handled.” Orochimaru said acidly, turning away with a flick of his long hair. “No need to-”

“Thank you!” Sakumo called, scrambling to his feet and reaching over his shoulder as he caught his breath, already feeling steadier as the hilt of his tanto met his palm.

Orochimaru paused, turning to look over his shoulder. Sakumo smiled gratefully at him, and he frowned, but nodded shallowly before turning back to battle as Sakumo kicked away a new attacker of his own.

Notes:

It seems Orochimaru might be rather more used to ungrateful, dismissive responses even from his comrades . . . I wonder who that might be down to. . .

Chapter 623: Contingency Plans

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo stared at his teammate, heart aching.

He twitched as Orochimaru’s fingers slipped over his forearm, down into his palm to twine through his own. “You’re sure about this choice?” Orochimaru asked softly.

Kohari twisted her mug and clasped it between her hands. “My husband and I are in agreement. I understand it is a very big thing to ask, and we don’t expect an answer today . . . and if you are not willing, I don’t blame you. Either of you.” Her gaze flicked between them.

Sakumo swallowed, squeezing Orochimaru’s hand tighter, and nodded. “I-” He took a breath. “Shall we go check on the cubs?”

Kohari smiled weakly.

Orochimaru murmured something approving and nudged Sakumo to his feet. Then he moved off ahead of them, leaving Kohari and Sakumo alone in the kitchen. Probably by design, Sakumo thought wryly.

“You. . . You would really. . .” Sakumo trailed off as Kohari met his gaze.

“You’re my teammate. I would trust you with my son. I do trust you with my son.” Kohari said, with a weak laugh. “You and your mate. Ikkaku agrees; he would have been here with me if he hadn’t been called away this morning.”

Sakumo nodded, pulling Kohari into a hug as her breath caught.

“I hope it won’t ever be necessary, but I know the two of you would take good care of him if anything ever- If-” Kohari swallowed audibly and Sakumo hugged her tighter.

Notes:

More ninja (i.e. any of them) should make plans for what happens to their children if they are killed in action. I've made this point in minifics before and I'll no doubt make it again. >.>

Also, this specific topic was on my mind due to a oneshot I am currently writing. . .

Chapter 624: Once Upon a Time

Chapter Text

“Once upon a time. . .”

Orochimaru paused, tipping his head and smiling slightly as he listened to Kakashi not quite stumbling through the words of a familiar story. He leaned backwards against the wall beside the sunroom door, not wanting to disturb them, but. . .

Kakashi read, a little fast sometimes only for Tenzou’s curious or confused interruptions to slow him down again. Kakashi huffed but didn’t complain, reading over the pages again, and Orochimaru lifted a hand, fingers brushing over his lips as his smile widened.

“Lovely?” Sakumo said softly, and Orochimaru turned towards his mate just as Sakumo’s hand slid over his hip.

He tilted his head towards the door and Sakumo cocked his own, listening. He grinned, and Orochimaru hummed, stepping in close to Sakumo and sliding his arms around his mate’s shoulders. He tugged Sakumo in for a light kiss, leaning into him.

Tenzou cheered as Kakashi reached the happy reunion between the kitsune mother and kit in the story, and Orochimaru stifled a laugh, feeling the thrum of Sakumo doing the same where they were pressed together.

Chapter 625: Raw Running

Chapter Text

Orochimaru cut his gaze to his mate running at his side. Sakumo’s steps were not exactly faltering but his pace was falling shy of his usual steady lope.

Their pursuers were still too close. Orochimaru hissed in aggravation and kept one eye on Sakumo as they ran, wishing their mission didn’t require they keep things quiet and go underestimated if not unnoticed. This would be so much easier if they could stop and fight.

Sakumo still hadn’t faltered by the time they had gained enough distance to stop running and hole up, but he was limping. Orochimaru hissed sharply when he made to move off - likely to check the perimeter - and Sakumo paused, flicking an ear, then turned and headed back towards him.

“Let me see your paws.” Orochimaru demanded, and Sakumo whined, settling on the ground and rolling to his side, allowing Orochimaru, kneeling, to pull up one of his front paws and inspect the pads.

His silvery-white fur was stained with blood around the deep grey of the pads, and there were ragged gashes clotted with sticky blood and dirt across the main pad and two of his toes. Orochimaru frowned, inspecting his other forepaw, then moving to look at his rear paws. They were all in similar condition.

Orochimaru knew what had caused it, after a moment brought the memory back, of course - there had been a stretch of the gravel path they had initially fled over with razor wire traps set beneath the gravel - but he hadn’t realised Sakumo had been caught.

He bit back the impulse to say Sakumo should have stopped sooner, or let him know - they hadn’t had a choice but to keep running - and stroked one of Sakumo’s slender forelegs, patting his shoulder and promising to clean up his paws.

Sakumo sighed, letting his head settle on the ground and remaining there on his side, legs splayed out, as Orochimaru first went about securing their bolthole.

Chapter 626: Taste

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“What’s the face for?” Sakumo asked, laughing a little as Kakashi screwed up his face and wrinkled his nose. He patted Kakashi’s head, and he looked up, half pouting.

Daaad. . .” Kakashi snorted, then sneezed. “How can you- Everything tastes so much all the time! It’s-” he broke off, rubbing his wrist across his nose. “How do you deal with it?”

Sakumo frowned. “I,” he paused, “don’t lick things?” he suggested, eying his cub.

No, not licking things, in the air, Dad.” Kakashi gave Sakumo his look that said his patience was being tried by the slowness of adults. Sakumo didn’t get it often, but it was a familiar sight - Sakumo was one of few adults who did not.

Oh.” Sakumo said, startled, as it fell together in his mind. “I,” he paused, “think that may be a question for Mama, then, cub.” he said apologetically.

Kakashi grumbled, not quite a baby growl, and Sakumo patted his head. He hadn’t known Kakashi could taste the air the way Orochimaru could; he was so much a wolf like Sakumo that . . . the few snake traits he showed were always a surprise.

Notes:

This is a thought I've had for almost a year, finally got it into something. . . The trait is likely to come up again for further exploration (and amusement).

Chapter 627: Sledding

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Sledding!” Kakashi cried gleefully, bouncing around Sakumo’s legs as he hefted the sled higher, hoping to keep it out of the way before Kakashi banged into it.

He wasn’t usually prone to such clumsiness, his spatial awareness was too high, but he was awfully excited. Sakumo grinned at him. “And maybe I’ll show you one of our family’s very old jutsu. Just for snowy days.” he said lightly, and Kakashi all but howled, eyes wide, clinging to the hem of his shirt.

“Will you Dad? Really?” Kakashi asked, almost hanging off Sakumo.

Sakumo ruffled his hair. “Yes, cub.” he promised.

“What’s this then?” Orochimaru asked as Kakashi whined happily, pausing in the doorway and looking them over.

Kakashi darted across to him in a moment, and Orochimaru bent to welcome him with a one-armed hug. “Sledding, Mama!” Kakashi explained, and Sakumo chuckled as Orochimaru shivered minutely.

“You two have fun then.” Orochimaru said, and caught Kakashi’s hands. “Wrap up warm and be careful.”

Kakashi agreed distractedly, already darting away again, back to Sakumo’s side, whining with eager impatience to get going.

Notes:

Inspired because I'm working on a sledding story with KakaIru, Naruto, and Gaara right now~

Chapter 628: Daddy's Delinquent

Chapter Text

“This is serious, Hatake-san! Your son used a jutsu on another child!”

Sakumo nodded acknowledgement, but admittedly most of his attention was not on the supervisor of the little daycare program. “Why is he my son specifically?” he wondered aloud.

“Probably because I imagine it was a raiton.” Orochimaru said absently. “I’m sure if he had bitten someone he would be my son today.”

They both found the emphasis one way or the other ridiculous, if not cringeworthy when applied by the parents of misbehaving children themselves.

“Well that’s hardly fair.” Sakumo said, frowning.

“Yes! Thank you!” The woman shook her head, fixing a firm look on Sakumo that he was sure worked wonders with her charges. Most of them. Kakashi took a little more than a firm look to handle, at least from anyone else. “That would hardly be an improvement and certainly no more acceptable!”

“He hardly got that only from you.” Sakumo continued, looking over at his mate.

“To be fair, the venomous aspect does tend to throw people.” Orochimaru said lightly, looking up and meeting Sakumo’s eyes as he laughed, startled. “Otherwise I’m certain you could more easily take blame for that as well.”

What are you going to do about your son’s unacceptable misbehaviour?” the supervisor demanded, crossing her arms.

“Ask him why, for a beginning.” Orochimaru said, his voice gone cold. “Thank you for your,” he paused, weighting the word with a purely verbal sneer, “report, but your presence is not needed.”

“We’ll speak with Kakashi ourselves to determine the extent of the issue.” Sakumo continued from there, his own words a little gentler if no less firm.

Chapter 629: Writer's Helper

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Thank you for a wonderful night out, wolf-heart.” Orochimaru said, clasping Sakumo’s hand and tipping his head to rest against Sakumo’s own.

He rumbled happily and stole a soft kiss, the contented rumble deepening as it made Orochimaru smile.

“I’m going to check on the state of the kitchen and then start the bath running.” Sakumo said as Orochimaru pulled back.

Orochimaru hummed, reaching up and winding a fallen lock of hair around his fingers. “I’ll check on Kakashi and then start getting this off.” he said wryly, and Sakumo let his eyes trail appreciatively down his mate’s body.

“Sure I can’t help with that?” he asked, fingers trailing along Orochimaru’s obi.

He laughed, opening the door. “Perhaps. Once Jiraiya is gone, assuming he’s put Kakashi to bed.”

“Unlikely.” Sakumo shook his head, and Orochimaru tilted his own in acknowledgement before heading down the hall.

Sakumo turned towards the kitchen, only to stop just inside the door, eyes wide. Kakashi was still up, but that wasn’t so surprising - he hadn’t really expected Jiraiya to remember Kakashi’s bedtime, and it wasn’t much of an issue - no, it was. . . “What are you up to?” Sakumo asked, taking in the mess of paper on every available surface and spread around Kakashi on the floor.

“Helping Oji-gama! Story!” Kakashi said, the paper crinkling in his hands as he wriggled.

Sakumo’s heart thumped. “You what?” he demanded, whirling towards Jiraiya, teeth bared.

“Names! He’s helping me pick out names for the villains!” Jiraiya rushed out, holding up his hands. “That’s it! You can look at what he’s got,” he gestured to Kakashi, “it’s just names and descriptions, he hasn’t seen any of the actual drafts!”

“Dad?” Kakashi asked, and Sakumo let out a breath, crouching.

“Which one is your favourite villain, then?” Sakumo asked, picking up a loose sheet of paper with two rather sparse character descriptions written on it, neither of which had a name attached.

“Akutou!” Kakashi said, and Sakumo’s brows rose.

“Really, Jiraiya?” Orochimaru asked from the doorway, voice dry. “Creative well running dry so early in your career?”

“Hey now!” Jiraiya defended, laughing. “It’s supposed to be a little ridiculous.”

“Fun!” Kakashi opined, leaving the papers by Sakumo and pushing himself up to go to his mother.

Notes:

Akutou meaning 'scoundrel'; Jiraiya's definitely going light on the subtlety. . .

Chapter 630: Babysitting at Bedtime

Chapter Text

Jiraiya craned his neck to look at Kakashi’s face. He was very definitely sacked out asleep. He was also sprawled over Jiraiya’s chest and it had taken ages to get him to fall asleep; Jiraiya was a little afraid to move.

He glanced at the table in front of the couch. He wondered, if he reached. . . Probably his bag and, inside it, the book he had been reading was within reach. . . Kakashi was asleep, it wasn’t like he would see it. . .

“Don’t.”

Jiraiya jumped, looking up at the doorway and finding Orochimaru standing there. Sakumo was giving him a confused look that Jiraiya was pretty sure mirrored his own. Orochimaru could not, after all, read his mind. . .

“Don’t what?” Jiraiya asked, thoughtlessly shifting to sit up, one hand splaying over Kakashi’s back to keep him from sliding into the floor. He winced, but Kakashi didn’t wake.

“Whatever it was you were considering.” Orochimaru said with a fluid shrug. “That face,” he pointed at Jiraiya, “you only get it when you’re contemplating doing something you know will earn you trouble you cannot even argue you do not deserve. So do not.”

“I-” Jiraiya began, and Orochimaru raised an eyebrow. Jiraiya huffed.

“How long has he been asleep?” Sakumo asked, running a hand down Orochimaru’s side as he passed by, heading towards the couch.

Jiraiya sighed. “About five minutes.”

“Dad?” Kakashi stirred, and Jiraiya winced again.

Sakumo laughed softly, holding out his hands, and Jiraiya helped him scoop Kakashi up, watching as he bounced Kakashi and hummed softly, rubbing his back.

Chapter 631: Sledding Interrupted

Chapter Text

Sakumo laughed breathlessly, hugging his gleefully-howling cub closer, and Kakashi wriggled, stretching up to nuzzle his jaw. Sakumo nosed the top of his head in return, then released him to scramble off the sled.

“Mama!” Kakashi barked, and Sakumo’s head snapped up, turning immediately to search the road below the lower slope. He found the Sannin almost as swiftly, nearing but not quite to their position yet, and grinned, then glanced back at Kakashi.

He was fidgeting, eyes wide.

“Go pounce on Mama.” Sakumo allowed, and Kakashi yipped happily, darting back to him to hug his legs, then practically threw himself down towards the road. Sakumo kept an eye on him, following more slowly, the sled in tow.

“Hey, brat!” Tsunade greeted as Kakashi skidded into range, and he called a greeting in return but didn’t pause as he passed her.

Orochimaru skidded a little in the packed-down snow as he caught Kakashi, and Jiraiya caught his shoulder, steadying him. Orochimaru pulled Kakashi higher, hugging him close, some of his long hair falling free from his hat and scarf to splay over Kakashi’s face. Kakashi nosed at it, clinging affectionately to Orochimaru’s thick coat.

“Sakumo.” Jiraiya grinned at him, and Sakumo returned it with a nod.

“Jiraiya.” Releasing the sled, Sakumo put a hand on Kakashi’s back, then let it slide over Orochimaru’s forearm, stepping closer. “Welcome home, lovely.”

Orochimaru smiled at him, shifting Kakashi in his arms and tipping his head to rest against Sakumo’s.

Chapter 632: Missed Chances

Chapter Text

Jiraiya braced one arm on the table in front of him as he reached for his drink, eyes on his best friend and his . . . lover? Mate?

He shook off a frown before it could take proper hold and downed the dregs of his cup.

“You’re an idiot.”

Jiraiya glanced at Tsunade, grabbing at the bottle on the table. “What have I done to upset you now?” he asked, legitimately confused for once.

Tsunade shouldered him lightly. “I didn’t say I was angry.” she said, raising her eyebrows, and took the bottle from his hand, pouring them both a fresh drink. “I said you were an idiot, and you are.”

Jiraiya frowned at her, and Tsunade shook her head. She didn’t seem inclined to explain, sipping her sake, so Jiraiya let his attention wander back to where Orochimaru was cosy against Sakumo’s side, showing a smile Jiraiya had once thought would never be allowed to cross his lips in public.

There were . . . a number of things that Sakumo brought out in Orochimaru that Jiraiya had thought impossible, in public or at all.

Hell, he hadn’t really thought that Orochimaru would allow- would accept. . .

“You’re an idiot.” Tsunade said again, and patted his thigh, making him turn to look at her again, surprised. “It could have been you, maybe. If you’d actually said something, years ago. It’s been too late since long before Hatake declared himself.”

Jiraiya stiffened, fingers twitching on his cup. Tsunade smiled wryly. “We know you best, Jiraiya. Did you really think either of us could miss something so big?”

Jiraiya swallowed, hand shaking a little as he brought his cup to his lips and drained it.

Chapter 633: Office Unpacking

Chapter Text

“Are you sure I can’t help with that, lovely?” Sakumo asked, and Orochimaru waved him off, picking up another book and inspecting the spine.

A tug made Sakumo look down, and he smiled, offering his arms to Kakashi. He climbed up into them in an eager scramble, and Sakumo took another few steps into the office.

“Hokage s’posed to have helpers, right?” Kakashi said, nose twitching as he tipped his head up, sniffing.

“This is relaxing.” Orochimaru told them, sliding the book onto the shelf and turning back, free hand smoothing absently over the sling as Tenzou made a soft sound that wasn’t quite fussing. “If you want to help,” he added, arching a brow, “there are still several more boxes downstairs that need to be brought up.”

Sakumo bounced Kakashi lightly, then kissed his temple and put him down. “Of course, lovely.” he agreed, crossing the room and smiling as Orochimaru caught his arm, pulling him in close.

He leaned over Tenzou, a warm little bundle between them, to kiss his mate. “Good luck keeping Kakashi from helping you organise.” he said quietly as he pulled back, laughing at the look on Orochimaru’s face.

Sakumo ruffled Kakashi’s hair and left him digging curiously into one of the packed boxes, heading down the Tower to bring more up himself.

Chapter 634: Voted In

Chapter Text

“Where are you going? You retired.” Biwako crossed her arms, glaring, and Hiruzen hid a reflexive cringe.

“I know, but Minato-kun has no experience; he will need guidance.” Hiruzen explained magnanimously. Biwako’s brows rose, and Hiruzen edged out the door before she could rebuke him any further.

He made his way to Hokage Tower, the same path he had taken every day for many years, smiling and nodding to his villagers as they called out respectful greetings. It was a rather short walk, and a pleasant one, but Hiruzen focused on the task ahead as he climbed the stairs towards the Hokage’s office.

It was an arduous task, running the village and overseeing everything, and Minato, he knew, wasn’t exactly prepared. But that was what he was here for.

“What are you doing here?” Hiruzen demanded, steps hitching in the open door.

Orochimaru turned towards him, head tilting slightly. “Unpacking my office. What brings you here, sensei?” he asked, turning away again and shelving a book.

Your office?” Hiruzen repeated, then glared. “Orochimaru. This will not pass-” He broke off as someone slipped past him, finding Kakashi balancing a large glass tank, barely sparing him a glance.

“Where do you want this, Mama?” Kakashi asked, and Orochimaru smiled, directing him to a table. “Tenzou’s here to help Dad with the rest, and I’m supposed to meet Minato-sensei soon. I’ll see you at dinner?”

“Thank you.” Orochimaru tugged him in and Kakashi leaned into the offered embrace. Hiruzen frowned.

Minato was chosen Hokage.” Hiruzen said sharply. “I know it has been your ambition, but Orochimaru, you would never-”

“Pardon.”

Hiruzen turned to find Tenzou and Sakumo behind him with boxes. He stepped out of the way, turning back towards Orochimaru. “I have always known that you are not suitable for-”

“Hokage are not selected - nor forbidden - by their predecessors, but by a vote.” Sakumo said with a condescending tone, and Hiruzen glared, opening his mouth- “The jounin corps, the village, and the daimyou all chose Orochimaru.”

“Sarutobi-sensei, you still have not answered what you are doing here, either.” Orochimaru said pointedly.

Chapter 635: Preliminary Report

Chapter Text

“Oh, I hope I’m not bothering you. . .” Minato looked between his Hokage and the others in the office. “I can-”

“It’s fine, Minato-kun.” Orochimaru gestured him to a chair beside Sakumo’s.

“Welcome back, sensei.” Kakashi waved from the floor, and Kabuto looked up briefly from the notebook he had open across his lap.

“Hello, Minato-kun.” Sakumo greeted, inclining his head.

“Danzou just left.” Orochimaru said, with a flicker of a pinched look that made Minato wince. “Finally.”

. . .then again, Minato had . . . also had the unfortunate luck of long conversations with Danzou. He could sympathise.

“Have you a report for me?” Orochimaru asked as Minato seated himself.

“Only preliminary information for now.” Minato said, and glanced at the kids in the floor; Kakashi might be taking missions of his own that were of similar clearance levels, but Kabuto. . . “But it is pressing enough I wanted to speak with you as soon as possible.”

“Of course.” Orochimaru nodded, then looked over at his children. “Kakashi, would you take your brother for lunch?”

Kakashi stretched, then rose. “Of course Mama.” he said over Kabuto’s protests, putting the books that had been on the floor beside them on a low table instead and shooing Kabuto towards the door, notebook still in his hands.

“Shall I leave you as well, lovely?” Sakumo asked lightly. “I could-”

“No, please stay. If Minato-kun has the news I anticipate, it will become your problem soon as well.” Orochimaru said with a sigh. Minato’s mouth twisted, thinking of the report he had to give and the likely very unpleasant work it would lead to. “Minato-kun, if you would?”

Chapter 636: Sunning Distraction

Chapter Text

Dan steadied himself with a couple of wingbeats, but looked askance at Sakumo all the same. “Did you just sideslip into me?” he asked. It had clearly not been an intentional move, either, and Sakumo was still straightening out his own flight.

Sakumo’s denial and apology were smashed together, and-

Dan laughed, then hurriedly twisted away, Sakumo following right on his pinions. He’d seen what had so distracted his teammate.

Orochimaru was sunning at the top of Hokage rock, sleek wings spread wide and shimmering violet in the sun, half his usual gear set aside and baring his skin to it as well.

Chapter 637: Shared Sun

Chapter Text

Orochimaru hissed softly, irritated as the heat of the summer sun beating down on him dimmed suddenly. He opened his eyes to find broad silvery wings blocking the light and tilted his head, brows arching.

“My apologies; am I disturbing you?” Sakumo asked, and Orochimaru flicked his fingers.

“Only if you don’t move.” he said, and yawned as Sakumo immediately stepped sideways, allowing the heat of the sun to reach Orochimaru again. “Did you need something?” he asked, stretching languidly.

“Not really.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru hummed and watched him, waiting, eyes heavy-lidded. “I saw you up here from the air, that’s all.” He shrugged.

Orochimaru gestured. “You are welcome to join me if you like.” he said with a wry smile. “I’m only enjoying a little downtime.”

“And I wouldn’t be disruptive?” Sakumo asked, folding his arms behind his head and spreading his wings wide as his back arched, then sinking to the ground as he lowered his arms, wide wings settling neatly along his back once more.

“I have every faith in your ability to be good company.” Orochimaru said, and smiled when it made Sakumo grin, edging slightly nearer.

Orochimaru had not failed to note Sakumo’s attention, nor his gentle nudges towards flirting, and . . . he was beginning to believe it was serious interest.

He was beginning to think he might, possibly, return it.

Chapter 638: Bad Head Day

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo looked at the bundle of blankets in their bed, then set the breakfast tray down on the floor and moved closer. He pulled his shirt off again, sliding back under the blankets wearing just his loose pants.

Orochimaru barely moved as Sakumo joined him, curled on his side with his head tucked down. Sakumo smoothed a hand up his back. “What can I do?” he asked. Beginning with ‘are you all right’ would clearly have been pure foolishness.

Orochimaru lifted his head and twisted towards Sakumo, his golden eyes dark - in the deep shadows beneath the blankets he had brought up over his head, his pupils had dilated until they were almost round. He shook his head, and Sakumo rumbled, nestling closer and kissing the tip of his mate’s nose.

Orochimaru breathed a soft little laugh, posture softening a little. He brought one hand up to rest on Sakumo’s side, and when Sakumo returned the caress with an embrace he relaxed into it easily.

Notes:

I'm having a not great day myself, and this time it was Oro who gets to have shades of it as well.

Chapter 639: Protective Preening

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo yawned and stretched, rolling forwards onto one knee and rising.

“Sit down.” Orochimaru caught Sakumo by the hip, pulling him down.

Sakumo stopped obediently halfway to his feet, letting himself be drawn back to the floor. He settled between Orochimaru’s knees and whined softly, leaning into his mate and fluffing his feathers.

Orochimaru hissed lazily, fingers combing between his feathers, seeking out the hidden gland near one joint and rubbing firmly, spreading oil out over the feathers with gentle strokes.

Sakumo slung an arm over Orochimaru’s thigh, sighing and going limp under the preening caresses. Orochimaru’s fingers trailed over his temple and then loosed his hair from its tail, ruffling it and rubbing the nape of his neck.

He tipped his head forwards and whined happily, a shiver running down his spine as Orochimaru’s hands returned to his wings.

Notes:

Thanks to all of you who expressed sympathy on yesterday's update; I'm still not feeling great but I very much appreciate it and things are looking a little better today. 🖤 (However things are a bit rough right now, so expect a fair bit of self-indulgent fluff from me here for the next few weeks. >.>)

Chapter 640: (Pre-)Fledgling Dreams

Chapter Text

Pushing his book away and leaning back enough to look around the edge of the table, Orochimaru smiled down at his son, stroking his cheek as he yipped in his sleep again.

“Are his wings twitching?” Sakumo asked softly, voice rippling with laughter.

“Perhaps he is dreaming of the flights he will one day take.” Orochimaru returned, turning his head to nuzzle Sakumo’s cheek as his hands settled on Kakashi’s tiny, fluffy wings.

Any such flights were still years away, of course; Kakashi’s wings were still fully covered with fledgling down. He was an eager little thing, though - Orochimaru imagined as he got a little bigger they would have to watch him ever more closely to be sure he didn’t fling himself off anything before he could actually hope to stay in the air.

Chapter 641: Deidara's Dangerous Discovery

Chapter Text

“I think, if I can prevail on you for a while longer, that the rearrangement along the border should be-” Minato broke off, stiffening, and Orochimaru raised an eyebrow, twisting to look behind himself. “Sakumo! What- Er, what happened?”

Sakumo pulled the tie from his hair - it was half falling down as it was - and retied it as he crossed the room, breathing a little heavily. Orochimaru slid over a little, and his mate dropped gratefully into the open space at his side.

“Deidara has discovered how to make his explosive clay into animated shapes, though it tires him out to use so much chakra.” Sakumo said, and Minato nodded understanding. Orochimaru hummed. That wasn’t new, either, he had learned a few weeks ago. “He has also learned, today, that he can make the animated shapes fly.”

Orochimaru’s eyes widened. “Ah.”

“Our banglet now flies.” Sakumo confirmed, slouching back. “Considering neither of us can - nor Kakashi, for that matter - keeping track of him while he’s practising and ensuring he is kept in one piece is . . . exhausting.”

“Oh my.” Minato said, and Sakumo laughed a little, leaning against Orochimaru’s shoulder.

“Yes. Exactly.” Sakumo said wryly.

Chapter 642: Focused Fear

Chapter Text

Madara crossed his arms, looking down at the ruffled boy at the base of the steps. While his hair was always a mess, Madara suspected it was moreso currently from playful, petting fingers, and his mouth was kiss-bruised in a way Madara was trying not to think about. His little one was supposed to be little, not dishevelling suitors.

“You’re not afraid of me, are you?” he asked, glaring.

Sakumo startled minutely, then ducked his head, rubbing the back of his neck. “Ah. . . I mean, Madara-sama, you are-”

“I don’t mean that you are an idiot who doesn’t realise I could break you,” Madara scoffed, “but you are not afraid of me, are you?”

Sakumo shrugged apologetically.

“Do you really think I wouldn’t hurt you because of my snakelet?” Madara demanded.

“Probably.” Sakumo said, and Madara’s brows rose. “I know you would do anything to keep him safe and happy; he’s talked a lot about you and Tobira-sama. But you also founded Konoha and keep us all safe, you wouldn’t hurt me without a good reason.”

Madara huffed. “True.” he allowed gruffly. “Oro is a good reason.”

“He is.” Sakumo said, with the faintest flush rising to his cheeks. “But if I ever did anything to make him turn me away . . . that would hurt me more than you could. With all due respect. Madara-sama.” he said, dipping his head politely.

Madara eyed him, grumbling, but that . . . was a good answer.

Chapter 643: Results (Rewind)

Notes:

[personal profile] rthstewart's annual Three Sentence Ficathon has begun!

Today's update is one I wrote initially over there (where I'll be playing quite a lot this month, I'm sure) - edited and expanded from my fill for the prompt: Any, any, if we knew the consequences of our actions we might never act at all

Chapter Text

Orochimaru . . . hesitated, preoccupied, his fingers stilling on the syringe with its glowing serum; it had only been moments, but moments facing one's older self, giving a dire warning, were a heavy burden to one's thoughts.

His own older self who had voiced a warning, not only about these experiments - he had finally assented to the orders given, despite his misgivings - but about the course of the world to come. More importantly to Orochimaru, about the coming third war that would draw in most of the shinobi world - and the spark of its beginning that would consume his mate and see him parted forever from his son.

Orochimaru’s eyes narrowed.

Stepping in their front door hours earlier than he should have finished in the labs, Orochimaru met his mate’s surprised - pleased - smile with a warm one of his own. Kakashi bounded right for Orochimaru, switching from four paws to two rather less steady feet as he ran, and Orochimaru knelt to scoop him up, cradling him close.

To never act for fear of results was pure foolishness, but not to change one’s actions to ensure desired results was even worse.

Chapter 644: Concealment Complications

Chapter Text

Sakumo shifted lazily, far too content where he was to be fussed about rising from the bedroll and gearing up for the day just yet. Although he had woken when his newly-discovered soulmate rose himself, Sakumo was mostly enjoying watching him, for now.

Armour settled into place, Orochimaru turned towards the mirror propped up by the open chest and hissed, a thin, irritable sound. He spread his wings just a little, inspecting them, and Sakumo rumbled with pleasure at the sight of the silvery plumage now brightly streaking Orochimaru’s inky black wings, proclaiming their bond.

“Do you have any idea how much more difficult this is going to make things?” Orochimaru asked, and Sakumo’s brows drew together. He made a curious sound, and Orochimaru turned towards him. “How do you hide those wings of yours? Coat them in soot?”

Sakumo startled, then laughed. “Oh! I . . . rarely conceal them at all.” he admitted, then pursed his lips. “You need to?”

“I have to slip into the shiro tonight,” Orochimaru arched a brow and lifted one hand, brushing the backs of his knuckles over one of the silver streaks on his left wing, “these will catch every bit of light there is. I am accustomed to blending into the shadows a little more easily.”

Sakumo nodded understanding. Skin was easier to hide than feathers, and blacking them was . . . not only difficult but irritating and of varying effectiveness. Orochimaru’s natural plumage, on the other hand, would blend seamlessly into the darkest of nights.

“I would apologise,” Sakumo said, licking his lips, “but I am very much not sorry.”

Orochimaru blinked, then laughed, crossing the tent back to the bedroll. Sakumo grinned as he crouched, pushing himself up and reaching out to his soulmate hopefully.

Orochimaru leaned into his hands, nuzzling Sakumo’s cheek and letting his wings spread just a little, arching over them. “No,” he said, voice low and silky, “I am not truly sorry either.” he admitted, and Sakumo pulled him into a kiss.

Chapter 645: Hushed Hatred

Notes:

Expanded from initial posting on the Three Sentence Ficathon.

Prompt: any, any, gossip

Chapter Text

Orochimaru was more than eager to return home, and he only delayed long enough to turn in his mission report first in the hopes that he would not have to leave it again for some days.

He had known his mate had already returned to the village, mostly safe, along with the team he had led; he had already heard murmurs, as well - outside the village as well as within - of the newly brewing war. He had not expected to hear the mutters he was now.

Orochimaru stepped through the doors silently, his chakra raging beneath his skin, and left that to announce his presence. It didn’t take long, with the acid weight spreading to blanket the room, but long enough. Orochimaru searched out each voice laying blame on that Hatake - for letting a blown mission go to save his teammates, for drawing Suna into war, as though that were ever more than a breath away - identifying them all and marking them in his mind.

Orochimaru hissed angrily, barely feeling a flicker of satisfaction as they cringed under his gaze. He stalked across the room to drop his report on the table before the nearest chuunin, then whirled on his heel without waiting for acknowledgement and left them behind, striding out of the mission desk and out of the Tower entirely.

Suddenly he had even more reason to hurry home. . .

Chapter 646: Patience and Preening

Chapter Text

Dad!” Kakashi whined in a drawn out tone, and Orochimaru smothered a laugh as Sakumo answered in almost the same tone.

He leaned around the doorframe, finding Sakumo kneeling over where Kakashi was wriggling to get away, half-fledged wings angled up.

“You’ll be done faster,” Sakumo said, tugging at one of Kakashi’s longer flight feathers, “if you would let me get at these properly.”

Kakashi yipped and scrambled away, only to fall back as Sakumo caught him with an arm around his waist. Orochimaru shook his head as he stepped into the room. “Listen to your father, precious.” he scolded gently.

Kakashi huffed as Sakumo dragged him back down onto the floor, but he fluffed his wings up and settled his chin in his hands. Sakumo grinned up at Orochimaru, crooning as he leaned in close to Kakashi, kissing the top of his head and ruffling his feathers.

Orochimaru folded himself to the floor behind his mate, humming as he rubbed a hand up and down Sakumo’s spine. His own feathers fluffed up as a shiver ran through him, and Orochimaru smiled, nuzzling his shoulder, cuddling up to his back between his wings.

Chapter 647: First Flight

Chapter Text

“I’m finally allowed?” Kakashi pouted, and Orochimaru smothered a laugh.

“Yes, precious.” Orochimaru patted at his feathers, smoothing them out, and squeezed the nape of his neck. “Because you are finally big enough, with enough flight feathers. Aim for your father.”

Sakumo, standing below, grinned up at them, wings spread and arms out, and Orochimaru released his hold on their son.

Kakashi crouched, looking warily ahead, first up, then down. Orochimaru arched an eyebrow, but wasn’t really surprised when Kakashi launched into motion, wings spreading as he bounded from the edge into the air.

He was their son, after all. Orochimaru took two quick steps and followed with a snap of his wings, watching as Kakashi tumbled and flapped his wings madly, laughing with glee.

Chapter 648: Breakast or Back to Bed

Chapter Text

Sakumo was trying to focus on the pan in front of him, but he was still half asleep on his feet when warm hands slid over his sides, then around to rest on his chest and stomach as his mate’s lean body pressed close at his back.

He rumbled approvingly, then yawned as Orochimaru nuzzled at the nape of his neck, nudging his braid out of the way to press a kiss to his tingling skin. The embrace and the affectionate gestures weren’t doing much to wake him up, and he shook his head slightly, looking down and passing his hand over the pan, trying to judge whether it was hot enough to drop the fish in yet.

“Leave it.” Orochimaru said against his neck, kissing just beneath his jaw, then lifting his head to brush a kiss to the curve of Sakumo’s ear instead, his next words barely a murmur against it. “Breakfast later. Come back to bed.”

Sakumo blinked down at the stove, then moved the pan to a cold burner and turned the one he’d been using off. Orochimaru made an approving noise and hugged him tighter, kissing his neck again before releasing him so he could move.

Chapter 649: My Friend, My Wolf

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“You’re sure we won’t be . . . bothering anyone?” Sakumo asked uncertainly, and Orochimaru laughed, grabbing his hand and tugging him along.

Orochimaru recognised Izuna-sama in their path an instant later, but he stepped aside with a curious look. Orochimaru waved, and Izuna grinned, lifting a hand in a return wave before disappearing into his brother’s office.

“Oro!” Sakumo leaned back a little, and Orochimaru squeezed his hand.

“It’s all right!” Orochimaru assured him, then tapped on the door.

“Come in.”

It took Orochimaru a moment to get the door open, Sakumo still holding back but following him reluctantly inside. “Hello, Tobira-sensei.”

“Orokkun!” Tobirama greeted with a warm smile. “A pleasant surprise to see you. And . . . Sakumo-kun, yes?”

Sakumo startled, then bowed his head. “Yes, Tobirama-sama.”

“Making friends, little serpent?” Tobirama asked, and Orochimaru drew back a little, looking at Sakumo. He was still tense, but he whined softly and nuzzled Orochimaru’s shoulder, making him smile.

“Sakumo is my best friend. My wolf.” Orochimaru added more softly, and Sakumo’s face lit with delight. Orochimaru smiled, leaning against his side.

“Ah, of course.” Tobirama smiled at them knowingly.

Notes:

I often write Tobirama as a half-Hatake and thus (distantly) Sakumo's cousin, but I at least as often headcanon that Orochimaru's mother (my OC for the role, at least) and Tobirama are good friends as well as colleagues. Considering Tobirama is fond of children and particularly clever ones, he has developed a soft spot and familiarity with her son as well, naturally.

Chapter 650: Shameless Wolf

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Oh, for- You are a fully-qualified ninja, a jounin.” Orochimaru said sternly.

Sakumo tilted his head, looking up at Orochimaru.

“Don’t you have any shame doing this?” he asked, lips twitching.

Sakumo wriggled, paws flopping in the air and tail wagging, and gave a soft whine. It wasn’t words, but it made the negative response entirely clear regardless.

Orochimaru shook his head, settling on the low fence beside Sakumo and reaching down to ruffle his fur.

“My ridiculous wolf.” Orochimaru said softly, voice soft with fondness.

Notes:

I did picture this being when they're teenagers, shortly after they made jounin, after a background . . . well, much like the one in yesterday's update - growing up smitten with one another, naturally~

Chapter 651: Nuzzles and Neck-Kisses

Notes:

Today's story for my annual Valentine's Spectacular is SakuOro as well! Sooty Streaks is a lighthearted wingfic soulmate story~

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Hello, lovely.” Sakumo said, winding his arms around his mate and nuzzling past the heavy fall of his hair to his neck.

Orochimaru’s breath caught, a tiny hitch, and Sakumo grinned. He nuzzled a little closer and brushed a kiss there as Orochimaru leaned into him, arms coming up to fold over Sakumo’s own around his waist.

Sakumo’s nose brushed his mate’s ear as he pressed a kiss just beneath it, and Orochimaru made a soft pleased sound, head tilted enough to meet Sakumo’s eyes as he opened them again.

“Hello, darling.” Orochimaru said softly, fingers stroking idly up and down Sakumo’s arm. “Good day with your team?”

Sakumo rumbled dismissively, tightening his embrace and catching his beloved mate in a kiss.

Notes:

I had in mind while writing today's minific an absolutely adorable bit of art doodled upon my request~

Chapter 652: First Meeting

Chapter Text

“Hello, please, come in.” Tobirama invited, and Reimiryoku nodded, returning his greeting, then stilled just outside.

“Oh! I didn’t realise you had company today.” she said, inclining her head to indicate the hatchling peeking around Tobirama’s legs. He grinned at her, tilting his head so his fluffy silver hair fell out of his eyes.

Tobirama put a hand down, ruffling his hair. “Yes; my cousin asked me if I would watch Sakumo-kun today. We get on quite well, don’t we Sakkun?”

“Yes, cousin Tobi!” Sakumo said happily.

“Well, I have brought. . .” Reimiryoku took a step sideways, and Orochimaru bowed shallowly.

“It is good to see you again, Orokkun.” Tobirama said warmly, and Orochimaru smiled, though his fingers remained curled in her kimono.

“Hello!” Sakumo said, edging forwards.

“Sakkun, this is my friend Reimiryoku-sensei, and her son Orochimaru-kun.” Tobirama introduced.

Sakumo bowed, muddling his polite greeting to her slightly, and Reimiryoku hid a smile.

“Perhaps you two might enjoy playing together for a little while before lunch?” Tobirama suggested, and Orochimaru fidgeted uncertainly, looking up at her.

Reimiryoku touched his shoulder - he didn’t have to, if he didn’t want to - and he hesitated, his mouth drawing into a thoughtful almost-pout, then nodded. He did trust Tobirama - as did she, or she wouldn’t have acceded so easily - and hopefully they would get on well.

Chapter 653: Hatch(l)ing Plans

Notes:

Not directly perhaps, but this is pretty much a followup to yesterday's~

Chapter Text

“I’m glad they are getting on well.” Tobirama observed, nodding in thanks as Reimiryoku refilled both their cups of tea.

She smiled at him, putting the pot aside on the small cart once more and looking out into the garden. Sakumo bared his teeth - blocky little fangs, though still quite sharp for all they were far more solid than the ones Reimiryoku was accustomed to - and leapt, and Orochimaru giggled as he dodged only to pounce himself.

The hatchlings tumbled over and over each other in the grass, Sakumo’s arms winding around Orochimaru as they bumped to a stop. He wriggled and leaned into the embrace, and Reimiryoku’s smile widened, soft and fond.

“I, as well. It is no concern that my son is closer to us than to any other,” Reimiryoku said, turning to look at her friend, “but . . . I am pleased to see him happy with another youngling.”

“There are more Hatake cubs, of course,” Tobirama said, and Reimiryoku hummed uncertainly, “but Sakumo is not close with any of them. He prefers to follow me or his aunt, or play alone, though he isn’t unfriendly. He has not,” he arched a brow, meeting Reimiryoku’s eyes, “taken to anyone so swiftly, to my knowledge, before.”

Reimiryoku hummed again, lips pursing, and looked out at the hatchlings once more. “Well. However it turns out, that is not necessarily a bad thing either. You hinted your cousin asks you to watch him frequently?”

“She would certainly not protest if I did so more frequently.” Tobirama filled in, and she smiled, sipping her tea. It could be easily arranged that the hatchlings have plenty of time to play, then.

Chapter 654: Belated Congratulations

Chapter Text

“Who’s that and what’s he doing here?” Jiraiya asked, frowning.

Orochimaru eyed his teammate, then turned to see- He smiled. “Wolf!”

“That is not his name.” Jiraiya muttered behind him, but Orochimaru was already moving towards Sakumo. He didn’t really hear what Tsunade was saying in response.

Sakumo grinned, pulling Orochimaru into a hug as soon as he was in reach, nuzzling his cheek and neck affectionately. Orochimaru sighed, tugging playfully at Sakumo’s ponytail before he pulled back. “I’d heard you graduated while I was out of the village. I missed congratulating you properly!”

Orochimaru ducked his head, lips pursing. “It wasn’t exactly hard.” he said with a sniff.

“Not for you, I’m sure.” Sakumo said agreeably. “Clever serpent.”

Orochimaru smothered a giggle, grinning at Sakumo and allowing his friend to tug gently at a lock of his hair. “You just got back in?” he asked.

“Turned in my report with my team and Genhiro-sensei,” Sakumo said, “I wanted to come see you and I didn’t want to have to run off again. . .”

Orochimaru’s smile widened.

Chapter 655: Fetching Support (friendly support)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Ah! Tobirama-kun, hello; I didn’t expect to see you today.”

“Sumire-sama.” Tobirama bowed, and she smiled, dipping her head in return. “I apologise for my rudeness,” he began, and she raised an eyebrow, “may I borrow Sakumo-kun for the day?”

Sumire eyed him curiously. “Certainly; I know his parents won’t mind if he spends the day with you rather than me. May I ask why?”

Tobirama swallowed, his heart aching. “You may have heard the news about the Yashagoro.” he said quietly, and Sumire reached out, clasping his forearm.

“I know Yashagoro-sensei was your friend.” Sumire said gently. “I was sorry to hear of the loss of her and her mate.”

Tobirama nodded, taking a moment to gather himself once more. “Reimiryoku left the care of her only child to me.” he said, and took a careful breath. “Sakumo-kun is perhaps his only friend. I suspect he could use-”

“Oh.” Sumire squeezed his arm. “Of course. Come inside and I’ll get him for you.”

Tobirama nodded, following her inside to wait, rubbing his face as she walked away. It had been less than a week since he had received the news, and- Tobirama had lost many people in his life, far too many, but it was a fresh shock, and one he had not been prepared for - he had relaxed some of his guarded wariness, perhaps too much, over the past years of living in Konoha - losing the woman who had become one of his dearest friends.

“Cousin Tobi!” Sakumo’s voice drew his attention, and Tobirama found a smile for his favourite young cousin, crouching to meet him with an embrace. “Sumire-sama says I get to go with you today? She said it was important?” He cocked his head curiously.

Tobirama smiled, stroking his wild hair out of his face. “It is, though I am always happy to have you visit.”

“What’s important?” Sakumo asked, nose twitching as he tilted his head towards Tobirama’s hand.

Tobirama took a breath, gathering his thoughts to explain to Sakumo without telling him . . . more than a cub his age needed to know.

Notes:

Sumire is the head of the Hatake clan, she is also Sakumo's aunt. Tobirama is a cousin mainly through having Hatake blood (from his mother) not directly.

next in arc

Chapter 656: Fine Timing (friendly support)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“I’m sorry.” Orochimaru said, wobbly and wet, even though he couldn’t quite bring himself to pull his face from Madara’s shoulder just yet.

“Don’t apologise, snakelet.” Madara said, his voice low and warm. He stroked Orochimaru’s hair, rocking him gently, and Orochimaru sniffled again.

A low sound from somewhere further away made him curl up tighter, hiding closer against Madara, but then he felt-

Orochimaru lifted his head, turning to see a silver muzzle peeking over the edge of the couch. He sniffed. “Sa- Sakumo?”

Sakumo whined softly, his stormy eyes sad, and edged closer, nuzzling Orochimaru’s wrist. He turned more towards his friend, sliding off Madara’s lap and then off the couch in an ungraceful heap, and Sakumo was immediately there, pressing into his side, nuzzling his face.

Orochimaru flung his arms around his best friend, burying his face in Sakumo’s thick ruff with a hitching sob. He didn’t know why Sakumo was there, or when he’d come, but-

Sakumo crooned, and suddenly there was no fur but Orochimaru’s face was in the crook of his neck and shoulder, and Sakumo’s arms were tight around him as he nuzzled Orochimaru’s hair.

Chapter 657: Support Stays (friendly support)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo wrapped himself around his best friend as best he could, crooning quietly and curling a hand around the nape of Orochimaru’s neck. He had fallen into an exhausted sleep, his tears finally slowing as his eyes closed.

He sagged in Sakumo’s arms, lying heavily against him. Sakumo looked up helplessly as cousin Tobi stepped into view, and he smiled slightly, sad though it was. “Thank you for being here for him, Sakkun.” he said softly, crossing towards them. “I should take you home now, it’s growing late- Sakkun.”

Sakumo held Orochimaru tighter, whining again as he shook his head. Cousin Tobi frowned, then knelt by them, nodding, and smoothed a hand over Sakumo’s head.

“I’ll square it with your parents for tonight, at least, then.” Cousin Tobi said, clasping Sakumo’s shoulder before he rose again. He walked away, catching Madara at the door and drawing him out of sight as well.

Sakumo remained with his Oro, whining softly once more before shifting back into his wolf shape. Orochimaru settled lower along with him, lying on his side and shoulder, and Sakumo tilted his head to rest his chin on Orochimaru’s own shoulder.

Chapter 658: Time to Grieve (friendly support)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Come away, love. They’re all right.” Madara coaxed gently, sliding a hand over Tobirama’s back to curl around his far shoulder. He swallowed, a shiver running through him, and Madara pressed close to him, kissing his shoulder.

Madara glanced past Tobirama into what had hurriedly become Orochimaru’s room. The snakelet was curled in his futon with the silvery shape of his best friend acting as a shield, pressed against his side and curled close.

“If they wake, we’ll hear, love.” Madara soothed, leaning his brow against Tobirama’s temple and pulling him bodily away, slowly. “And Oro has his wolf. We’re here if he needs us, but he’ll be all right for tonight, come away. You need rest, and-”

Tobirama turned towards him, and Madara glanced at the children once more before pulling him away from the door, supporting him as he wavered, face twisted with grief and distress. “You lost your friend, too, love. You’re caring for her son but there is no fault in needing to grieve yourself.” Madara said softly.

Notes:

I almost swapped over to Inexorable Sea Meets Unquenchable Flame for this one and just linked it, but it is indeed part of this arc - and the final part. Perhaps something happier tomorrow!

Chapter 659: Muddy Puppies

Chapter Text

What are you doing?” Orochimaru asked, but his sharp tone was weakened somewhat by amusement and fondness.

Kakashi lifted his head, grinning, one ear perking towards Orochimaru. The other was too plastered with mud to stand up properly.

“Oh! Sorry, Orochi-sensei!” Naruto cried abruptly, flailing as he tried to pull away from Kakashi’s side only to slip. Sakura echoed him politely, bowing her head without releasing her hold on Kakashi’s fur, and Sasuke muttered something unintelligible.

Orochimaru arched an eyebrow, but couldn’t help but remember, superimposed over the image of his son in a muddy heap of playful genin, Sakumo playing with his own genin team similarly when Kakashi was very young.

“You will wash off before you come out of the garden, or I will do it for you.” Orochimaru said, as he had told Sakumo and his genin years ago. “You may not care for my choice of suiton if I must.”

Kakashi barked a laugh, echoed by a softer, more human tone behind Orochimaru. He tilted his head, looking over his shoulder with a smile as Sakumo approached, winding an arm around his waist.

“Oh kami. Did my team actually get that bad?” Sakumo asked, quietly, near Orochimaru’s ear.

Orochimaru laughed as Kakashi gently nudged his genin to their feet, supporting the children as they slipped and wobbled in the mud. “Worse, sometimes, wolf-heart.” he assured Sakumo honestly.

Chapter 660: Nikkou's New Brother

Chapter Text

“Nikkou!”

Kabuto lifted his head, looking around at where his still-new father had risen, heading across the main room in the direction of the entryway. He looked up at Mama instead and was reassured by the gentle smile and the pat of one hand over his head and down to his shoulder.

A quiet sound drew his attention to the couch opposite, where Kakashi - Aniki - was lying. Kabuto tilted his head and Kakashi scrunched his nose, then winked. Kabuto scowled, and Kakashi laughed, rolling off the couch and following his father.

“Sensei!” Kakashi said happily, and Kabuto blinked, stretching up a little and turning to look over the back of the couch.

Dad walked back into view with his arm around a slender man with sun-bright hair and an equally bright grin. Kabuto frowned, edging closer to Mama, even as the man pulled away and caught Kakashi in a hug instead.

“Welcome home, little one.” Mama said, and Kabuto looked at him, confused and uncertain.

“Than you, Orochi-sensei!” The man squeezed Kakashi once more, then released him and came around the couch with a respectful dip of his head. “And you’re my new little brother?” he asked, and Kabuto blinked.

Kakashi shouldered him lightly and he grinned again, crouching in front of the couch like Kabuto was a little kid to be alarmed by him being tall. “It’s nice to meet you. I’m Minato.” He held out a hand. “I didn’t have any family until Orochi-sensei and Sakumo-sensei started teaching me.” he said gently, and Kabuto’s heart squeezed. “I grew up in the orphanage.”

“Me too.” Kabuto said, a little muddled, as he clasped Minato’s hand. His smile was soft as he nodded, squeezing Kabuto’s hand gently.

Chapter 661: Reassurance

Chapter Text

Sakumo padded through the house as silently as ever, but took care to make soft sounds as he moved regardless - trailing his fingers along the wall, brushing against the doorframe as he passed into his cub’s room.

While Kakashi was asleep - and the quiet sounds Sakumo was making were not enough to wake him - Orochimaru was standing just inside, eyes fixed on their cub. He didn’t react as Sakumo walked in, though he knew his mate was aware of his presence.

Sakumo slid a hand over Orochimaru’s hip, then wrapped both arms around his waist, pressing close against his back. “All right, lovely?” he asked, carefully light. He had heard from Dan where the mission had led them, and had some idea why his mate was standing in their cub’s room long after midnight, simply watching him.

Sleeping, safe and whole and content.

Orochimaru drew a deep, slow breath, shifting slightly and pressing back against Sakumo. He shook his head slightly, not quite a denial, but didn’t speak. Sakumo didn’t push, just moving to let their bodies fit together more closely, pressing a nuzzling kiss to Orochimaru’s shoulder, and preparing himself to keep his mate company for as long as he needed.

Chapter 662: Dad Gets to Play

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru laughed as he rolled Kakashi over, squelching in the mud - he could taste it, grit and dirt, as well; an unfortunate lack of caution when letting himself fall into the mud with Kakashi - and ruffled his sodden, filthy hair.

Kakashi barked and whined a protest, laughing himself as he wriggled and struggled up again, sliding and flailing. Orochimaru sat up to reach for his son again, feeling the heavy, filthy mess ground into his hair and wrinkling his nose.

“Dad!” Kakashi cried, scrambling up and sliding, one foot bracing against Orochimaru’s thigh as he leapt. Orochimaru raised his head and grinned as he saw Sakumo stumble backwards, slipping in a particularly wet rut in the mud when Kakashi hit him.

Orochimaru lunged after them, and Sakumo yipped, then laughed happily, struggling a little, rolling to get away from Orochimaru’s hands. He snarled playfully, grabbing at Kakashi, and Orochimaru knocked him over to let Kakashi clamber over his shoulders.

His hair was already almost as dark with dirt as Kakashi’s was; they were all going to need rather an extensive bath tonight, Orochimaru thought wryly.

Sakumo struck out and Orochimaru gasped, choking as he nearly inhaled a bit of mud, sprawling beneath the weight of his mate and cubling. Sakumo grinned and Orochimaru shook his head, swatting playfully at his mate and pushing them both off to let him sit up.

Notes:

You know, the first time I wrote the playtime in the mud I really did intend it as a one-off. XD Finally dadwolf gets to join in, though!

Chapter 663: Hokage's Help

Chapter Text

Orochimaru put down his pen, crossing his legs and propping one elbow on his desk.

“Planning to get up at any point today, darling?” he asked wryly, lips tugging into a smirk.

Sakumo grinned back, unruffled. He was stretched out in a graceful, lazy curve over the couch against the wall of the office. “Any reason why I should?”

Orochimaru hummed, amused. “Do as you please, wolf.” he said fondly, and Sakumo cast a soft look his way. He could use the rest, and Orochimaru was inclined to let him have it for so long as he would accept being lazy.

Orochimaru’s mate had been driving himself ragged in the months since Orochimaru had been invested as Hokage. He loved Sakumo even more for the support, but he wished he hadn’t needed to rely on his mate so very much.

Sakumo yawned, pointedly lazy, and wriggled his shoulders, settling deeper into the couch as he closed his eyes. Orochimaru watched him for a few long moments before shaking his head, returning his focus to work.

Chapter 664: Company and Cookery Lesson

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Kabuto woke to quiet sounds from somewhere off . . . the kitchen, he identified as he blinked and rubbed his face. Mama was still asleep beside him, the book they had been looking at together before their nap resting on the back of the couch.

Kabuto eyed it, then slipped free of Mama’s arm and went to go see what Dad was making in the kitchen. Maybe he could help.

He froze in the doorway. It wasn’t Dad in the kitchen, or Kabuto’s new Aniki either.

. . .or perhaps it was, given how Kakashi called him.

“Minato-nii?” Kabuto tried out uncertainly. The man spun towards him with a bright smile and a friendly greeting, one hand holding a kitchen knife and the other a half-chopped eggplant. Kabuto hesitated.

“Want to help?” Minato invited, gesturing with the knife. “Or just keep me company for a bit?”

Kabuto fidgeted, seriously considering returning to Mama on the couch, or going to find Dad, but eventually he nodded. Minato’s sunny smile widened as Kabuto edged forwards.

When Dad eventually turned up in the kitchen, Kakashi shadowing him, dinner was stewing on the stovetop and Kabuto had been given a lesson in chopping melon before being lifted up onto the counter - he could have climbed there himself - to watch as Minato made it into filling for little cakes.

“Dad!” Kabuto said cheerfully, ducking his head as Dad smiled at them both, warm and maybe proud.

Notes:

I haven't forgotten my intention to make a separate collection like this one for minifics focusing more solely on the cublings, and I still plan to do so. . . Once I think of a title for it, among other things. . .

Chapter 665: Soulnotes

Chapter Text

“What are you doing in here?” Tsunade asked, craning her neck.

Orochimaru made a dismissive noise, finishing a last few strokes before dropping his brush, letting his sleeve fall down over the ink he had painted on his skin. Jiraiya shook his head, amused.

Not that he knew what Orochimaru had sent to his soulmate on his skin either, but he had seen more than Tsunade would find out by interrupting him.

“Are we ready to move out, then?” Orochimaru asked, rising from the table. There were maps and plans spread over the surface, but Jiraiya was sure none of them had held his attention for some time.

“Oro-”

“Yes.” Jiraiya interrupted. “If you’re done with your . . . business.” He waggled his eyebrows - and wasn’t terribly surprised when it netted him a blow to the solar plexus. He grinned obnoxiously, pleased to see Orochimaru’s lips quirk the tiniest bit with his own amusement.

He ticked a look downwards, but didn’t draw attention to the creeping mark beginning to wind around Orochimaru’s wrist and the back of his hand. A somewhat-clumsy representation of a snake accented with rather more gracefully-formed poetic praise.

The latter, at least, was not much of a surprise, Jiraiya thought as he stepped out of the way, allowing Orochimaru and Tsunade to make ther way out ahead of him. Not after having heard the kind of compliments and adoration Sakumo heaped upon him.

Jiraiya wondered how long it would take for Orochimaru to notice the blatant affection written over his skin, if he hadn’t already.

Chapter 666: Fear of Wolves

Chapter Text

“What- What is that?”

Kakashi looked up, arching a brow. “Wolves.” he said softly, snorting as the chuunin who had asked the question shivered and pulled his sword a little closer.

Kakashi returned to checking the edges on all the kunai he’d thrown and collected once more today, polishing out a few nicks.

“What kind of ninja is afraid of wolves, pull yourself together. Both of you!”

Kakashi lifted his head again, finding one of the older jounin also looking . . . rather nervous. Kakashi’s lips twitched.

“One who has fought on enough battlefields to see. . .” The man’s eyes flicked towards Kakashi, and he grinned, tipping his head.

“What?”

“Father isn’t anywhere near here.” Kakashi said quietly, idly spinning three kunai around his fingers. He and Mama had gone on a long mission together that would take them into Tetsu no Kuni. “And I am clearly not ranging the night.” he added wickedly. “Tonight.”

Kakashi swallowed his laughter and returned to his task, slotting away his kunai as he finished with each of them, listening to the older jounin telling the others stories about fighting alongside his parents.

Chapter 667: Sea-bound Sighs (pining and presents)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo propped his arms on a rock and sighed, settling his chin on them. His larger gills were still under the surface, so he spluttered for a moment before he straightened out his breathing, adjusting to only breathe the air for the moment.

He couldn’t go on shore, as some mers did - he could, but his tail was dramatically ill-suited for it, and he had gotten stuck once as a pup; Kohari had been forced to enlist a little help to drag him back to the water - but at least. . .

At least he could breathe the air, Sakumo supposed. Tsunade had to heal herself from the damage, every time she tried to go above the surface.

Orochimaru shifted on the rocky beach, wet coils shining in the sun as they wound around one another and stretched out, his back arching and his arms folding over his head. He brought one loop of his tail up and wriggled his shoulders lazily, settling them against his tail and resting his head there.

Sakumo sighed again, tail swishing moodily side-to-side, wishing he could go to Orochimaru.

Tonight, he thought. When Orochimaru returned under the waves, when there was the festival gathering in Konoha tonight, then. . . Then Sakumo would finally approach the beautiful, wickedly dangerous - and wickedly clever - snake with a courting gift, the way he had longed to for years.

Chapter 668: Speechless Snake (pining and presents)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru’s spines bristled and he had finally simply . . . had enough.

What?” he demanded, whirling and bringing his coils in, letting his spines rise all down his back and tail. “What do you want?”

The shark hesitated, fins waggling, then gave a light swish of his tail and approached, his wild hair trying to escape its tie. “I. . . I’m sorry if I’ve bothered you.” he said, lowering his head and looking miserable even as he held out his hands. “If you do not wish even to accept this, I understand.”

Orochimaru narrowed his eyes. Hatake had been following him, he’d noted that, but. . . “Well? What do you-” He nearly choked as he realised what Hatake was offering him.

It was an exquisite nacre pendant the size of his palm, perfectly circular with rippled edges and a carving on its face - a serpent in relief - with a braided cord of purple leather and seagrass wound through a neat hole at the top, a shark’s tooth bound in the knot. It was. . .

It was a rather fine courtship token.

Hatake didn’t move, watching him. Waiting. . . Waiting, his words had alluded, to see if Orochimaru would reject even this much, which would be a harsh gesture indeed.

Few people rejected even the first courting gift, the declaration of interest, even if they rejected the very next overture. Orochimaru had no qualms about doing so in itself, but Hatake . . . hadn’t earned that.

Orochimaru’s spines had flattened along his back once more, his coils loosening even as he was watching Hatake in turn. He stretched out a hand and Hatake released the pendant, flicking his tail to provide a gentle current that carried it into Orochimaru’s grasp.

“Thank you.” Hatake said before Orochimaru could decide what he wanted to say, cradling the pendant in both hands.

Chapter 669: Following (pining and presents)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“I. . .” Sakumo hesitated, tail curling and head dipping with regret. “I cannot follow you, not there.” he said softly, apologetic, as Orochimaru headed upwards.

A strong, sleek tail coiled around him and his breath caught, eyes widening and gills fluttering rapidly at his throat and above his hips. Orochimaru met his gaze with a tiny smile, coils tightening briefly - not quite an embrace, but too gentle even in its strength to be anything else.

“I know.” Orochimaru said, coils sliding around Sakumo as he moved. “I am not taking you there.”

He released Sakumo entirely, tail wriggling as he swam away. “You need not follow me if you choose otherwise, however.” he said without looking back.

Sakumo lashed his tail, speeding after his intended. “Of course I will!” he said immediately, cautiously extending a hand to rest on Orochimaru’s scales, feeling the powerful bunch of muscle beneath the skin. “Though if you do lead me on land you may need to haul me off again.” he admitted ruefully.

“I can do that.” Orochimaru said, glancing over his shoulder with a smile. “Another time, however.” He broke the surface and Sakumo willingly followed, eyes widening as he took in a narrow waterway between two towering rocks, the serpentine passage preventing sight any further than a few lengths between the stone faces.

Orochimaru slipped into it, and Sakumo followed.

Chapter 670: Passing By (pining and presents)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru toyed with the nacre pendant he had wound into the junction of his belt and sash, watching as the shark who had gifted it to him darted back and forth through the wild currents washing up from a deep trench not far outside Konoha territory, playing with several other mers.

And outclassing them, Orochimaru thought with a flicker of fondness and then a touch of surprise for the feeling.

“Oro!” Sakumo cried suddenly, and Orochimaru twitched, tail curling tighter. Sakumo had abandoned the game he was playing with the others, darting straight towards Orochimaru.

Orochimaru refused to be touched by the attention. It was rather charming that Sakumo barely seemed aware of those he left behind or the game he had dropped, all his focus on Orochimaru the moment he had been seen.

“Hello, shark.” Orochimaru said, purposely uncoiling his tail and letting the end slide along Sakumo’s side all the way down towards his caudal fin.

Sakumo shivered, his fins wriggling. “I didn’t expect to see you today.” His beaming grin - baring wickedly sharp teeth - assured anyone looking that having that expectation proven false was a pleasant surprise.

“I was passing by and heard you.” Orochimaru said lightly, and Sakumo wriggled again, drifting a little closer.

Chapter 671: Hesitance and Headiness (pining and presents)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo threaded the now at least semi-familiar passage with caution, but no concern - there were tight spaces, but Sakumo was more flexible than most sharks, and he knew already that he could fit between even the narrowest stretch of the canal, so long as he chose the right place between the rocks.

He slipped free into the broadening waters of the cool, still pool deep inside the rocky boundaries, and. . .

There, Sakumo hesitated, peeking up over the surface. Orochimaru’s coils shone in a messy knot on the shore, some few lengths away from the water. Sakumo shook his head slightly - he would never be comfortable pushing so far from the water, and most mers remained within one or two lengths even if they ventured on shore, but Orochimaru manoeuvred exceptionally well on land.

Sakumo bit his lip, eyeing his intended. Perhaps he shouldn’t have come here - Orochimaru hadn’t invited him today, he had only come on his own, hoping to find his intended. He hadn’t, perhaps, thought it through.

“Sakumo.” Orochimaru greeted, and Sakumo flicked his tail and rose a little higher, raising a hand in greeting.

“Oro.” Sakumo dipped his head, smiling reflexively at Orochimaru’s voice and his soft look, even while shifting uncertainly. “I apologise if I have disturbed you. I can leave. . .”

“No!” Orochimaru said promptly, rolling and twisting out of his knot, tail sliding free to push him closer to the water. Sakumo moved closer to the shore through the water himself, hardly thinking about it. “Actually. . . I am glad to see you.” he smiled, and Sakumo’s heart fluttered. “I have something to. . .”

“Oro?” Sakumo questioned, reaching out to brush a hand over his arm.

Orochimaru smiled slightly and slipped into the water, looping around Sakumo, then offered his open hands, still held above the water, dry.

Sakumo’s breath caught, his gills fluttering. “Oro. . .” He held out his hands, fingers not quite touching the token in Orochimaru’s hands. A trio of snake fangs - not like most sea snakes, but like Orochimaru’s, long and hollow, stabbing fangs - were bound together with shining white leather - that was from a sea snake - framing a shining silver-black stone that was, he found as Orochimaru offered the gift to him, heavier than it looked.

Sakumo swallowed, raising his eyes to meet Orochimaru’s as he cradled the gift close.

Orochimaru smiled almost tentatively, coils stretching out and almost curling around Sakumo, then drifting away slowly. Sakumo ducked down and slipped through the middle of them, boldly pressing close to Orochimaru’s body, and his eyes widened - but his tail curled snugly around Sakumo’s body, confident once more.

“Oro. . .”

“Does it suit you?” Orochimaru asked, tracing his fingertips down Sakumo’s face. “The, ah, the stone is from-”

Sakumo clutched it in one hand and drew Orochimaru into a needy, fierce kiss, drawing them both down under the surface once more, winding one arm around Orochimaru’s waist.

Chapter 672: On Shore (pining and presents)

Notes:

previous in arc

 

I actually thought yesterday's might be the final one for this little arc, but I'm feeling a little more, so expect maybe a handful of further pieces with this version of these two, probably skipping forwards through their lives - bb!Kakashi snekpup will probably even make an appearance~

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo wriggled, and it stirred Orochimaru from his half-doze. He slid a hand over his intended’s side, toying absently with one of his pelvic fins, realising only as he twitched, caudal fin flicking against Orochimaru’s coils.

“All right, Sakumo?” Orochimaru asked, shifting his tail and leaning up a little, propping his elbow on the rocky sand below them.

Sakumo lifted his head, rolling a little, and Orochimaru shifted his tail to keep Sakumo cradled comfortably there before he could overbalance. “Of course.” Sakumo smiled at him, then reached out, fingers trailing through Orochimaru’s hair, which had dried almost all through after so long on the shore.

Orochimaru was used to it, but Sakumo seemed to find it fascinating. Not surprising, Orochimaru concluded, given how rarely Sakumo was likely to be in the dry, with his tail so ill-suited to land even for short jaunts.

“Not feeling uncomfortable up here?” Orochimaru asked, bringing his hand up to rest on Sakumo’s back, tail shifting again, this time less intentionally.

Sakumo moved a little in response, and even in that tiny shift Orochimaru could feel the lazy strength of his sleek body. He shivered a little, spines twitching, and focused on Sakumo’s face.

“Not with you.” Sakumo said, and it should have sounded silly or insincere, but Sakumo’s face was so. . .

Orochimaru tugged Sakumo down, closing his eyes as their brows came to rest together, and then Sakumo kissed him, a gossamer caress.

Chapter 673: Surprises and Settling (pining and presents)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Catching sight of his mate, Sakumo grinned and altered course directly towards him, quick and silent. He hesitated, but only for a moment, then let himself close the distance with Orochimaru entirely, hands sliding lightly over his mate’s shimmery scales, avoiding the quiescent spines down his back all the way to the tip of his tail.

Orochimaru startled, tail twitching and then lashing out, winding tight around Sakumo even before Orochimaru twisted to face him. Sakumo grinned apologetically, but Orochimaru was already relaxing, smiling at him, tail shifting to coil more gently around Sakumo’s waist and down his own tail.

“Hello, lovely.” Sakumo said happily, shivering as Orochimaru’s hands slid up his arms to wrap him in an embrace.

“Hello, darling.” Orochimaru returned quietly, tightening his embrace all over and making Sakumo stifle a trilling note of pleasure. Orochimaru’s smile widened, showing off his dangerous fangs, and Sakumo ducked his head.

He brushed a kiss to Orochimaru’s cheek. “I hope I didn’t bother you.” he said softly. The relationship between he and his mate was new, and they were still learning their boundaries together.

Orochimaru hummed, squeezing Sakumo again. He was still smiling. “It was rather nice.” he said, running his fingers through Sakumo’s hair. “I hope you will feel free to . . . interrupt me thus in future.”

Sakumo grinned, tightening his hold on Orochimaru in return, wriggling a little to feel the snug hold of his mate’s coils around him.

Chapter 674: Charming Expectations (pining and presents)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Yawning, Orochimaru shifted lazily and opened his eyes, his tail sliding through the water of the tide pool that had been at low ebb when he fell asleep and in which he was now nearly submerged. Sakumo was nearby, he saw, smiling - in the tide pool, not at the shore, though his back was turned.

Orochimaru pushed off the rocky ground and moved towards his mate, shifting carefully and drawing his tail deeper into the water as he moved. “What are you up to, my darling?” he asked, sliding a hand over Sakumo’s tail and peeking over his shoulder to find his hands full of soft green leather and shark fangs.

Sakumo twitched in surprise, his tail flicking along Orochimaru’s, and he smiled, nudging into the contact with a soft hiss. Sakumo twisted towards him, nuzzling his face, then turned his hands upwards, showing what he had been working on more clearly. It looked like. . .

“A charm, for the little one.” Sakumo said, rolling over and sliding a hand over Orochimaru’s body and down his tail, passing over the place where the snakepup he carried made themself known with a slight swell and a stiffness in his tail.

Orochimaru crooned, smiling, and wound himself more thoroughly around his mate, sliding one of his own hands over the charm Sakumo had been working on. “Lovely.” he said almost absently, their fingers twining together.

Chapter 675: Wondrous Wriggles (pining and presents)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“You’re staring.” Orochimaru said, his voice warm and fond.

Sakumo laughed but didn’t deny it, nestling closer to his mate and brushing a hand over the tiny, curled figure of their pup. Kakashi wriggled, his fins twitching, but didn’t wake, tucked into the winding coils of Orochimaru’s tail.

“You’re amazing.” Sakumo said, kissing his jaw. “Both of you.”

“A little wonder.” Orochimaru agreed, shifting a little and resting his head against Sakumo’s shoulder, twining their fingers along Kakashi’s back. He wriggled again in his sleep, smiling a little.

Chapter 676: Hunting Currents (pining and presents)

Chapter Text

“Hello darling.” Orochimaru greeted a moment before a gentle hand slid over his side.

Sakumo made a softly-amused sound and kissed his jaw, nuzzling down along his neck. “Are you aware you’re being. . .” he paused, fingers curling against Orochimaru’s scales.

Orochimaru twitched the tip of his tail, drawing it in and then letting it uncurl once more, drifting on a lazy current. “Hunted?” he suggested in a low voice, twisting to cuddle into his mate’s body, careful of his spines, relaxed as they were.

Sakumo pressed against his back fearlessly, as he always had, and Orochimaru smiled as he tipped his head to steal a kiss.

There was a suddenly stronger - if quite small - rush of swirling currents around them as Kakashi lunged for the end of Orochimaru’s tail, giggling once he had tight hold of it.

They broke away from their kiss to look down at their son, and he grinned up at them as Orochimaru curled his tail, bringing it - and Kakashi along with it - up into arm’s reach, making him thrash his own little tail and laugh even louder.

Chapter 677: Gathering Storm

Chapter Text

Orochimaru stretched his long tail, crossing his arms atop a sloping boulder and bracing his chin on them. There was a storm rolling in from the furthest horizon, where the mountains reached for the sky like a row of dark fangs.

He watched the sky, heavy clouds bringing a wave of dark with them like an early dusk, countered from time to time by flashes of lightning. There were bright shapes darting through the thick shadows in the sky as well, growing clearer to Orochimaru’s eyes as the storm neared.

He smiled slightly, shifting and curling his tail a little more beneath himself, pushing higher up the side of the boulder he rested upon.

One bright figure twisted and arrowed downwards, trailing lightning even as it resolved into the shape of something with four legs and a proudly raised head with a long muzzle.

Orochimaru’s smile widened.

The raijuu alit on the boulder, shedding some of the lightning he carried with the first touch of paws to rock, then dove for Orochimaru. He laughed as he rose from the rock, his tail supporting him easily, even so high, and opened his arms.

Sakumo shimmered like quicksilver, taking a more human shape as he moved, and by the time he was in Orochimaru’s arms - the impact and his weight carrying them down to the undergrowth, no matter the strength of Orochimaru’s tail - it was with mostly human arms to wrap around Orochimaru and a mouth suitable for sharing long, warm kisses.

Chapter 678: Receding Storm

Chapter Text

A rumbling song teased Sakumo awake, calling to him, and he lifted his head, ears perking. The storm that he and his packmates had sung into life and raced through the sky was beginning to recede. Still strong, but rolling over the land and growing further away.

It pulled at him, and his packmates sang a summoning howl, urging him to rejoin them in the sky, to run the storm once more.

“You should go.” Orochimaru said, sliding a hand over Sakumo’s side, fearless of the small lightnings that flickered over his skin from the touch. “They’re waiting for you.”

Sakumo growled softly, shifting and tilting his head, settling it back across Orochimaru’s arm and chest. Orochimaru’s breath caught, and he smiled, showing sharp fangs. His coils shifted slowly, winding more snugly around Sakumo and holding him close.

Sakumo grinned, tail swishing happily, and snuggled into the embrace. There would be other storms, other races through the clouds, and his pack would welcome him back when he returned to them. Later.

Chapter 679: Shifty Secrets

Chapter Text

“What are you up to, my darling?” Orochimaru asked archly, bending close behind Sakumo and kissing his shoulder. He didn’t relax, still hiding the papers on the table that he had been poring over.

“Ah. . .” Sakumo shrugged, looking up at him with a smile. Orochimaru arched a brow, but didn’t push him, leaning forwards for a kiss.

“I will find out.” Orochimaru pointed out against his mate’s mouth, and Sakumo laughed.

“Of course you will.” he agreed, and turned - one hand remaining on the closed folder - reaching up to cup Orochimaru’s jaw, thumb brushing over his cheek. “But not now.”

“As you like, darling.” Orochimaru said wryly, and closed his eyes as Sakumo tugged him into another kiss, letting his curiosity settle to the back of his mind for the moment.

Chapter 680: No Snow for a Snake

Chapter Text

Sakumo swallowed a whine - he was disappointed, but he wasn’t going to make a production over it. He watched Orochimaru stride away, not looking back, and sighed.

“Sakumo.”

Sakumo jumped, turning towards Jiraiya just as a heavy arm slung over his shoulder. He narrowed his eyes. “Jiraiya. . .”

“He hates the cold, Hatake.” Jiraiya said with a crooked grin. Sakumo’s brows drew together. “Offer to take him somewhere he can stay warm, and don’t try to talk to him outside when it’s like this, and . . . he’ll take you up on it.”

Sakumo frowned, glancing up at the swirling snow. It was chill, true, but Sakumo barely noticed the weather when it was like this. “. . .the cold?” he questioned tentatively.

“Snakes are not creatures known for their love of winter.” Jiraiya advised, and Sakumo nodded distractedly. Jiraiya’s arm tightened around his shoulders. “He likes you, Sakumo; he’s said yes before and he will again, just ask the right questions.”

Sakumo’s heart fluttered with a resurgence of hope - Orochimaru had turned him down the last two times he had made an overture, and he had been wondering if a third would be . . . rude. “And why are you telling me this?” he asked Jiraiya, eyeing him sideways.

Jiraiya made a thoughtful sound low in his throat. “You make him happy, Hatake. He’s my best friend. I want him to be happy.”

Sakumo’s breath caught. “I do too.”

Jiraiya laughed, thumping him lightly. “I know. Or I wouldn’t be helping you.”

Chapter 681: Shadows and Stupidity

Chapter Text

“Dad?”

Sakumo smiled as he looked down at his son, and Kakashi hummed, brows drawing together in a miniaturised, unconscious mimic of his mother’s perplexed expression.

“Why did they tell us not to go here?” Kakashi asked, fingers curling into the hem of Sakumo’s tunic.

Sakumo’s lips twitched as he snorted.

Be wary of the forest, even more in the shadows under the moon. No sir, I wouldn’t wander there if I were you. . .

Sakumo’s smirk widened. But that fool wasn’t Sakumo, nor his son.

“Because they’re idiot humans.” Sakumo said lightly, and Kakashi huffed.

Obviously,” he said, and that was so very much his mother’s exasperated tone, as well; Sakumo felt a warm throb of fondness, “but why would they be so stupid at us?”

“Humans spill their foolishness everywhere, precious. Even and perhaps particularly at those of us who are different. . .”

“Mama!” Kakashi released Sakumo’s tunic and bolted for the pale figure stepping out of the shadows. Orochimaru smiled, the moonlight glinting off the scales over his brow and along his sharp cheekbones as he bent to swing Kakashi up into an embrace.

“Hello, my love.” Sakumo said softly as he followed his son’s path, more slowly.

Orochimaru’s lovely golden eyes met his own, warm and soft. “Hello, darling.” He shifted Kakashi into the crook of one arm, extending the other to Sakumo, and he took the invitation readily, bowing his head to meet his mate with a kiss even as their son sighed long-sufferingly.

Chapter 682: Shared Stories

Chapter Text

Sakumo bit his lip, but held back when his mate clasped his arm, despite the soft sounds of distress from the cub outside on the engawa in the chill night air.

Orochimaru pressed close, lips brushing his cheek. “I know he is your teammate’s child,” he said, barely a breath, “but . . . let me speak to him?”

Sakumo nodded, releasing his hold on Orochimaru though he wished to cling to his mate for comfort. He did follow closely enough to the door to hear them, however, when Orochimaru stepped outside.

“Good evening, Iruka.” Orochimaru said softly. “Do you mind if I join you for a little while?”

Iruka hesitated, but shook his head. His shoulders bowed as Orochimaru wrapped a blanket around him; good - it was too cold, at least at nights, to be out like this, without a coat or anything like.

They spoke in low voices; mostly Orochimaru, though Iruka was at least listening. Sakumo fretted a little, wanting to join them, but stayed back.

“Did you know,” Orochimaru said softly, “that my parents died when I was little, and I was taken in by one of my mother’s best friends and his spouse?”

Iruka stilled, looking up at Orochimaru with a much more open expression than he had shown for weeks. Sakumo swallowed thickly, watching as Orochimaru stroked Iruka’s messy hair out of his face and smiled, sharing the story.

Iruka edged closer as he spoke, and Orochimaru gently wrapped an arm around him.

Chapter 683: Aniki Read

Notes:

I today saw this bit of art (updated new link October 2022!) (bb!Kakashi with his bb!Tenzou otouto~) I was tagged in on Twitter, and it meant that the little ones were firmly on my mind for today's minific. ^.^

Chapter Text

“What is it you want, my little sapling?” Sakumo asked helplessly, stroking Tenzou’s face and rocking him in a thus far unsuccessful attempt to calm him.

“Aniki!” Tenzou cried suddenly, and Orochimaru’s brows rose as he turned. Kakashi paused just inside the door, looking from Tenzou in Sakumo’s arms to Orochimaru and back. He closed the door and shed his sandals.

“What’s wrong, otouto?” Kakashi asked, attention fixed on his brother as he crossed the room towards them.

“Aniki read story!” Tenzou demanded, and Orochimaru relaxed as Tenzou’s tantrum - something he was very much not prone to - made a bit more sense.

He lifted his gaze to meet his mate’s and smiled slightly as Sakumo sighed, lips curving.

“Of course, otouto!” Kakashi promised, and Tenzou’s crumpled expression cleared into a sunny smile as he reached out.

Chapter 684: Wet Puppies

Chapter Text

“Inside.” Kakashi’s voice was carried in and slightly muddled by the rush of wind and the loud patter of rain. “Hold still.”

Sakumo glanced at his mate, finding the research journal Orochimaru’s attention had been fixed on for the past hours lowered as Orochimaru twisted to look at him. Kakashi continued to scold and instruct in the next room, and as the door slid closed the piercing sounds of plaintive children’s voices joined his own.

Sakumo unearthed himself from the heap of pillows and blankets, smothering a laugh at his mate’s displeased hiss and trailing a hand over Orochimaru’s shoulder. He sank back with an almost sulky look, tugging the heaviest blanket up higher.

Sakumo shook his head, amused, and went to fetch more towels for his cub’s genin, wondering idly if they would be staying or in need of an escort across the village - and through the threatening storm - to their homes.

Chapter 685: Stalking and Pack Prey

Chapter Text

Orochimaru paused on the path around the house, taking a step backwards. He crouched, fingertips trailing up Kakashi’s back. “What are you up to, precious?”

Stalking.” Kakashi said, voice low.

Orochimaru’s lips twitched. He tilted his head, leaning forwards a little. Sakumo bent and pulled another shirt out of the basket at his feet, hanging it up on the line.

“Are you just gathering information, or will you be taking your target today?” Orochimaru asked seriously, and Kakashi grinned at him, wriggling in place.

“Gonna get Dad!” Kakashi said, barely a breath, nodding rapidly.

Sakumo paused mid-turn, cocking his head. Kakashi pressed himself lower to the grass, stifling a whine.

“This is why some prey is better taken in a pack.” Orochimaru observed, kissing Kakashi’s head. “Good luck, precious.”

Then he rose, striding swiftly away from Kakashi’s hiding place and drawing his mate’s attention as he approached. Sakumo grinned, the taut awareness easing out of his frame.

Orochimaru didn’t let his gaze stray, but he could see the flash of silver moving in the shadows of the brush out of the corner of his eye.

Chapter 686: Imminent Dismissal

Chapter Text

“How do you think the . . . council will react when you tell them that you no longer require their services?” Sakumo asked, and Orochimaru sighed, sharp and short with irritation.

“I have devoted not a moment’s thought to the hidebound, foolish, washed-up idiots’ response.” Orochimaru said, and Sakumo smothered a laugh.

By his mate’s sharp look, it hadn’t quite been well enough. He poured a fresh cup of tea by way of apology, bringing it over to where Orochimaru was sorting through the third drawer - thus far - of files the Sandaime had never bothered to organise, nuzzling Orochimaru’s cheek.

“Well, I guess you’ll get to find out.” Minato said, and they both turned to look at him. He waved the scroll he’d been reading towards the window. “I mean, you’ll be finding out right now. They’re on their way up.”

Orochimaru hissed sharply and Sakumo kissed him again, taking the unopened files from his lap and leaving only the one he was reading through.

“You only have to do it once.” Sakumo offered, and Orochimaru gave him a flat look. “I know they’re convinced of their own importance, but I refuse to believe you won’t be able to make it . . . quite clear they are not welcome.”

Orochimaru’s lips tilted into a dangerous little smile, and Sakumo grinned.

Chapter 687: Shade and Soothing

Chapter Text

Orochimaru stirred from his doze slowly as he felt a chill set in. Or . . . perhaps not a true chill, but certainly an absence of warmth. He hissed, shivering.

“Sorry, lovely.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru opened his eyes to find the chill was most likely because his mate was now standing between him and the sun. Orochimaru arched a brow, hissing again, a low grumble.

Sakumo crouched beside him, leaning down, steadying the sling across his chest. “I think he wants you, lovely.”

Kakashi wriggled in the sling, fussing softly. Orochimaru pushed himself up on one elbow, then sat up, holding out his hands. Sakumo clasped one, brushing a kiss to his knuckles, then scooped Kakashi out of the sling and offered him into Orochimaru’s arms.

Orochimaru rocked Kakashi, crooning softly, stroking his face. “Ohh, what is it, precious? Are you hungry, or is it something else?” He trailed a fingertip over Kakashi’s mouth, and he nipped at the pad, but didn’t suckle, clinging to Orochimaru’s hand with both of his own.

Sakumo leaned in, kissing Orochimaru’s temple and running a hand down his shoulder and arm, then rose with a smile, moving away again.

Chapter 688: Sympathy and Support

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The wall of purple before Sakumo rippled, then tensed, and he straightened his spine, lifting his head.

“Summoner is upset.”

Sakumo looked up to the great horned head looming over him. “I know.” he said firmly.

“Then leave him alone. Summoner is gone.”

“I am here because he’s upset.” Sakumo said, glaring. He wondered if the great snake missed Orochimaru’s parents - or whichever of them he had called summoner before Orochimaru - as well, but he wouldn’t let sympathy stop him, either. “I am not going to leave without seeing him! He- He needs-”

You?” Great fangs flicked forwards.

“He needs to not be alone!” Sakumo snapped. “He has you, but I want him to know he has me, too.” he added more softly.

“Manda?”

Sakumo’s breath caught at the soft sound of Orochimaru’s voice, far beyond the great coils. “Oro?”

Manda hissed moodily, but his coils shifted, allowing passage beneath. Sakumo hesitated only for a moment, then hurried through.

“Sakumo!” Orochimaru lifted his head from his arms, leaning against Manda’s tail. “You-”

“I’m here.” Sakumo said softly, crossing to kneel beside him.

Orochimaru shifted away from Manda’s tail, leaning into Sakumo’s arms instead, arms winding around him. Sakumo rubbed his back and stroked his hair. “I’m sorry, Oro.” he said softly, and Orochimaru sniffed, nodding.

Notes:

Sakumo is a very brave bb!wolf. >.>

Chapter 689: Leaving Impressions

Chapter Text

“What happened here?” Sakumo asked, inspecting the sooty marks across the doorframe and floor.

“Deidara was trying to impress his brother.” Orochimaru observed with a sigh, leaning against the wall nearby.

“. . .oh dear.” Sakumo looked back at the floor, then opened the door the rest of the way and peered around it. There were more signs of fire across the engawa. “Where are they now?”

“Kakashi volunteered to take Deidara out to play - and practise.” Orochimaru said wryly, voice warm with fondness. “I do not believe any permanent harm was done . . . except perhaps to the doorway.”

“Yes, this may need replacing.” Sakumo knocked lightly on the doorframe. It was hardly the worst damage any of their children had done to their home.

“I’m sure Tenzou would be happy to help you with that project.” Orochimaru said, deftly removing himself from the potential task. Orochimaru did not enjoy carpentry.

Sakumo straightened, closing the door - it mostly worked - and turning towards his mate. “I’m sure he would.” he agreed, and tugged at Orochimaru’s wrist, asking him closer and gratified at the ease with which he obliged. “A project for later.”

“Indeed.” Orochimaru hummed, stroking Sakumo’s jaw, and kissed him lightly before moving out of his arms.

Chapter 690: Bored and Busy

Chapter Text

“Mama. . . Bored. . .” Kakashi whined.

Orochimaru rubbed one wrist over his itchy cheek. “Then go pounce on your father.” he advised, inspecting the fresh earth he had patted around the base of the foxglove he had just replanted.

“But Mama!” Kakashi whined, tugging at his sleeve.

Orochimaru looked at his son. “I’m working with the plants, Kakashi.” he said, firm but patient. “You may help, or watch, or go find something else to do.”

Kakashi pouted at him, and Orochimaru raised his eyebrows. Kakashi huffed, sprawling on his back in the dirt. He was no doubt getting it in his hair.

“. . .go play with Dad?” Kakashi asked, and Orochimaru reached over, patting his chest.

“That sounds like a good idea.” Orochimaru agreed, and Kakashi sighed.

Chapter 691: Temptation

Chapter Text

Orochimaru smiled slightly, turning onto his side without opening his eyes, tilting his head and stretching a little.

He heard Sakumo’s breath catch raggedly and smiled a little more.

He wasn’t surprised a moment later to feel the warm puff of breath on his neck, followed by a nuzzling kiss and then a sharp nip.

“Do you try to make yourself the most tempting creature imaginable?” Sakumo asked, hand sliding over his hip and up his belly and chest.

Orochimaru let out a soft breath, a little surprised at that. “. . .does it work?” he asked after a moment.

“Always, no matter what you do, lovely.” Sakumo said, low and sincere.

Orochimaru swallowed thickly. It took him a moment to gather himself. He slid a hand over Sakumo’s, fingers dipping between his mate’s, and nudged backwards against his chest.

Sakumo buried his face in Orochimaru’s neck, fingers flexing.

Chapter 692: Wet Fur

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

A soft whuff drew Orochimaru’s attention, and he reached out absently, stroking-

“You are very wet.” Orochimaru pointed out, lifting his fingers away from Seikio’s head. He whined softly, and Orochimaru sighed, stroking the wolf’s damp fur down past his ears.

“His fur is too thick to dry out properly with a towel.” Sakumo said, leaning in the doorway.

“Like yours?” Orochimaru observed wryly, and Sakumo laughed. Seikio barked softly and Orochimaru tugged one of his ears. “Does it bother you?” he asked, and Seikio’s ears tilted back briefly before he shook himself.

“I was going to try and get you a little more dried off, you know.” Sakumo said, and Seikio cocked his head, then turned and trotted for Sakumo, leaping up at him.

Sakumo laughed, taking a step backwards and thumping his shoulder into the doorframe as he caught his wolf without going down under Seikio’s weight. Orochimaru’s lips twitched as he watched their antics, drying his fingers on the side of his pants.

Notes:

. . .I confess, inspired from life this evening. It is pouring here tonight and my new dog (had her a month!) has super soft, fluffy, thick fur that . . . it is pointless to dry off with a towel because she is still wet after. Fortunately she doesn't seem terribly bothered by being damp. X'D

I just got a reminder she is still damp, however, when she walked up and I petted her head. >.>

Chapter 693: Strain and Silk

Chapter Text

“Now, now, calm down. . .” Orochimaru said, and though his voice was soft and calm, he was unable to hide the warm amusement on his face.

Sakumo’s whine slid into a growl as he arched, thighs bunching against Orochimaru’s weight pinning him down. It was backed by the loops of soft, strong silk rope twined around his thighs and ankles, leading up in a woven pattern to his wrists and arms.

Orochimaru hummed, leaning down, trailing kisses along Sakumo’s brow and cheekbone, hands smoothing over his shoulders. Sakumo tilted his head back, panting shallowly as his mate’s hips arched, bringing their cocks together in a slow, almost teasing slide.

Sakumo’s hips twitched but he couldn’t move enough to get closer, to influence the rhythm at all. He whined, and Orochimaru kissed down his throat, one hand dropping in an easy caress down his chest to trail lightly over his cock.

“Oro-” Sakumo let out a tight little whuff, and Orochimaru kissed him shallowly, fingers wrapping around their cocks together. Sakumo’s breath hitched, and Orochimaru nipped his lower lip, hips rolling and back arching.

“I’ll take care of you, wolf.” Orochimaru said, voice low and rich, stroking a little more firmly as he lifted his head. Sakumo nuzzled into the offered softness of his throat, and he hissed approvingly, tilting his head aside to give Sakumo better access.

Chapter 694: Sake-Soaked

Chapter Text

Sakumo.” Orochimaru scolded, laughing, shoving at his mate’s shoulder. Sakumo grinned at him, tongue lolling just a little - definitely more than it normally would - and continued wriggling his way over Orochimaru’s legs and against his body.

Orochimaru’s nose wrinkled and he laughed again. “You still smell like sake. Even in this shape. How?” he asked.

Sakumo wriggled against him, head rubbing hard against Orochimaru’s chest, tail wagging.

“Mm.” Orochimaru ruffled his fur, fingers digging in deep, and Sakumo heaved a contented sigh, one paw skidding over Orochimaru’s hip as he settled down. “You’re heavy.” Orochimaru pointed out, but it wasn’t a complaint.

Sakumo looked up at him, tail wagging once more in a slow swish, and Orochimaru curled an arm around his neck, stroking down his back.

Chapter 695: Wandering Wolves

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru hissed in irritation, rising up from the water where he had been dozing and turning upon-

He stilled.

The wolfling child on the bank of the river smiled tentatively, then waved at him. “Hello! . . .is this your river?” he asked, cocking his head.

Orochimaru shifted, coils twisting as he let his head and part of his body melt into a human-like form. The wolfling grinned, showing his sharp fangs, and Orochimaru couldn’t quite resist a smile in return.

He arched a brow. “Yes, this is my river.”

“Sorry, we didn’t mean to trespass!” the wolfling said. “We won’t hurt anything! Or- or hunt while we’re here!” He nodded firmly.

“We?” Orochimaru questioned, moving lower. It was unusual for a wolfling to be alone - their packs were closeknit, and canines prized their cubs and protected them fiercely - but Orochimaru knew there were no packs anywhere near his river.

“Me and Dad!” the wolfling said.

Orochimaru hummed, lowering himself still more, but the wolfling didn’t flinch. Brave little creature; he watched Orochimaru with sharp, clever eyes, even though he didn’t run.

“Cub?”

Orochimaru stilled. His father would, no doubt, be a risk. Orochimaru should retreat into his river - he had no desire to kill the wolfling and his father, and an adult wolf would no doubt be-

“There you are!” The wolf leapt out to his cub, but didn’t snatch him away and didn’t growl, eyes flicking to Orochimaru. He bowed, and Orochimaru’s eyes widened.

“This is his river, Dad!” the wolfling said, and Orochimaru stared as his father also apologised for their trespass and promised-

“I don’t care if you hunt here.” Orochimaru said, coils shifting uncertainly. “Hunting is good, and there is only me, no hatchlings to feed. I will not miss enough to feed two wolves.”

“Thank you.” The adult bowed to him once more.

“Where do you go?” Orochimaru asked, lifting his chin. “Wolves travelling alone - or nearly - is . . . not common.”

The wolfling whined and pressed close to his father, who stiffened, and Orochimaru felt the strangest urge to apologise.

Notes:

. . .I may already be contemplating expanding this one. . .

Chapter 696: Fussy Wolfling

Chapter Text

“Leave Mama alone for a little while longer, darling.” Sakumo said gently, bending to pick his cub up and pressing a kiss to the base of his mate’s neck before he rose.

“Thank you.” Orochimaru murmured, flicking his fingers without looking up from the mission report he was writing. “Go on, Kakashi.” he added absently.

“Dad!” Kakashi fussed, sighing heavily and going limp against Sakumo as he carried Kakashi away from his mother, his pointy little chin digging into Sakumo’s shoulder.

“Mama is busy.” Sakumo said gently. “Just for a little while. Let’s do something just the two of us, and let him work.”

Kakashi sighed again, fingers curling into Sakumo’s shirt, rubbing his face back and forth, his breathing a bit thin as he pressed his throat across Sakumo’s shoulder.

He stifled a laugh at his cub, patting Kakashi’s back.

Chapter 697: Piratical Roots

Chapter Text

“What are you doing?” Orochimaru asked curiously, peering over the edge of a billowing cloak his son had evidently appropriated.

“Sailing the seas!” Kakashi said with a grin, and Orochimaru’s brows rose as he took in the mock eyepatch Kakashi was wearing. “Raiding!”

“I see.” Orochimaru realised that Kakashi had shaped the branches around him into a semblance of a ship, the cloak filling in for a sail. “What made you turn to piracy?” he asked, smiling slightly.

“Like the stories!” Kakashi said, bouncing a little. “Wolf stories!”

Wolf stories . . . that would be the Hatake histories. Kakashi loved them, and while they filtered out some of the things he might read when he was older, Orochimaru and Sakumo both read them to him, or allowed him to peruse them on his own.

Orochimaru spoke to Kakashi a little more about the story he was playing out, then quietly slipped away as he was absorbed in it anew, choosing to instead watch from the engawa.

“There were pirates among your ancestors?” Orochimaru asked as Sakumo settled nearby, leaning against one of the roof supports.

“Probably.” Sakumo said easily, and Orochimaru startled, turning to eye him. He grinned. “Hatake have always been wanderers, lovely. I wouldn’t be surprised if some pack or another wound up taking to piracy.”

Orochimaru hummed. He hadn’t considered that.

“Why do you ask?” Sakumo tipped his chin up, and Orochimaru’s lips twitched.

“Our son is looking for his roots in piracy, it seems.” he said, gesturing towards the pretend ship Kakashi was ‘sailing’ across the back garden.

“Ah.” Sakumo moved closer, trailing a hand over Orochimaru’s back.

Chapter 698: Rendering Aid

Chapter Text

Sakumo’s nose wrinkled. “Damn. I can smell the wildfire from here.” he muttered, shaking his head.

“What does that mean, taichou?”

“Excellent question.” Sakumo said wryly, glancing at one of the chuunin assigned to his team for this mission. “We’ll hope it means that neither of the other Sannin were able to stop Jiraiya before he let loose.” he said with as light a manner as he could manage.

It was possible; Jiraiya was none too careful with his toad oil flames, particularly when he knew that his team was the only one on the field. Sakumo hoped it was, and under control. And not the village in which they were supposed to be rendering aid burning.

Sakumo led his wary team onwards, straight for the fire that was sending up a thick swathe of dark smoke.

The first sign they came upon at their own level, however, wasn’t the fire itself, but a rippling wall of deep purple scales. Sakumo gestured his team back - unnecessarily, as he found they’d already retreated a good thirty paces. He smothered a laugh and bowed to Manda as the great snake’s head came into view.

“Wolf.” Manda said, tongue flicking out. “Good. Do any of your humans call suiton? Tsunade’s chakra has been needed elsewhere and I am tired of smothering fires.”

“We can handle it.” Sakumo agreed, nodding, and Manda made a sound as close to a petulant huff as Sakumo thought he was capable, then moved, revealing a seared and still smouldering field of broken trees and cracked earth.

The village beyond showed fire and battle damage, but . . . not so badly as Sakumo had feared it might. He marshalled his team swiftly, sending them to deal with the fires before he went to investigate himself - Sakumo wouldn’t be much help with the fire, but there were things he could help with.

And perhaps he could-

“Sakumo.” Orochimaru said, voice warming a little as he rose from where he had been stabilising a crumbling wall. “I am glad to see you.”

“You brought a team?” Tsunade asked, letting out a breath and lifting her hands from the young woman sprawled before her on the scorched earth. “She can be moved.” she said, and Jiraiya nodded, scooping the woman up and heading towards the undamaged part of the village.

“I did.” Sakumo confirmed.

“Then I am even gladder to see you.” Tsunade said, rubbing the back of her wrist across her brow and panting as she hauled herself to her feet.

Sakumo frowned, looking at her. “They’re already seeing to the flames. To Manda’s relief.” he added lightly, and Orochimaru’s lips twitched. “Tsunade.” Sakumo offered her his canteen and she startled, then accepted it with a nod of gratitude. “Where do you need me?” he asked, glancing between her and Orochimaru.

“Help Oro get this place off the verge of collapse.” Tsunade said, gesturing sharply.

Orochimaru shook his head. “Help Tsuna. Jiraiya can work with me; Sakumo will be more help to you,” he told her firmly, “and Jiraiya can be more useful.” He kissed Sakumo’s cheek. “And keep her from working herself to collapse if you can.”

Sakumo’s eyes widened, but he nodded a promise, nuzzling Orochimaru’s cheek before stepping away.

“You’re at least a damn sight better at calming people down than Jiraiya.” Tsunade said wryly. “All right, Sakumo. You’re with me.”

“At your disposal.” Sakumo said lightly, and she smiled briefly, then tossed his canteen back to him as she led the way to the nearest sounds of panic and pain.

Chapter 699: Sleepy Sapwolf

Chapter Text

Sakumo was pulled from his partial doze by the soft, warm sound of his mate’s laughter. He opened his eyes, yawning, and tilting his head to see Orochimaru in the doorway.

“Hello lovely.” Sakumo said, lifting a hand and rubbing it over Kakashi’s back as he wriggled formlessly. He looked, but Kakashi was still asleep, mouth half-open against Sakumo’s chest.

“Hello, my heart.” Orochimaru said, low and fond. “Need anything?” he asked, and Sakumo shook his head, fighting another yawn. He closed his eyes, sighing, and stroked Kakashi’s back once more.

It made him twitch, startled, when Orochimaru’s fingers brushed his brow a moment later, smoothing his hair, and he opened his eyes with a smile.

Chapter 700: Rock and Explosions

Chapter Text

Deidara’s sandals almost skidded in the dirt as he half stumbled to a stop. “Whoa.” he breathed.

Sakumo put a hand down, squeezing his shoulder. Deidara looked up with wide eyes.

“That’s gotta be the biggest snake in the whole world.” he said, and Sakumo huffed.

“Probably so.” Sakumo agreed, tilting his head. “He’s Mama’s boss summon.”

Deidara’s eyes widened even further, and Sakumo hummed, amused, shooing him onwards.

“Come on, let’s go say hello. It’s why we’re here.” Sakumo said gently, and Deidara swallowed, but didn’t hesitate.

Brave little banglet.

“He’s family.” Sakumo said, petting Deidara’s hair. “Grouchy. But family. Hello, lovely!” he called, raising his voice, then bowed. “Manda.”

“Wolf.” Manda said, not quite dismissive. He lowered his head, tongue flicking out, and Deidara stalled, pressed against Sakumo’s legs. “This is the new hatchling?” Manda’s tongue flicked again. “Tastes like rock and explosions.”

Tastes?” Deidara yelped.

“Snakes taste the air to smell things.” Sakumo said reassuringly.

“We stole him from Iwa.” Orochimaru said lightly, moving closer and holding out a hand to Deidara. He hesitated, then stepped away from Sakumo. “Deidara, this is Manda,” he smoothed a hand over Deidara’s brow as he reached Orochimaru’s side, “this is our youngest hatchling, yes; his name is Deidara, and he has the bakuton.”

“Rock and explosions.” Manda said dryly, tongue flicking again, the forked tips almost touching Deidara, who stiffened.

“Sounds about right.” Kakashi said lazily, walking out from beneath Manda’s coils. He raised a hand, trailing it over Manda’s scales under his jaw, and Manda’s tongue flicked against him. He laughed, and Deidara relaxed a little, even as Manda settled his head on the earth, throwing into even sharper relief how very enormous he was.

Deidara stepped forwards, bowing to Manda and voicing a polite greeting, and Sakumo grinned at him, impressed and proud.

Kakashi dropped an arm around his shoulders, and Deidara leaned into him, but without the clear signs of unease this time. Manda eyed them, tongue flicking meditatively, and Orochimaru moved closer to Sakumo, their arms brushing companionably.

“Thank you for bringing him out here.” Orochimaru said softly, fingers trailing over Sakumo’s wrist.

“Always best to prepare Manda for meeting a new little one.” Sakumo said wryly, and Orochimaru laughed.

Chapter 701: Suspicious Stare-Down

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Deidara gave the vegetables across the counter a very dubious look, and Sakumo stifled a laugh, remembering Kakashi’s similar suspicious investigations . . . quite a few years ago, now.

“What is that?” Deidara asked, fingers curling over the edge of the counter.

“Eggplant.” Orochimaru supplied as he deftly filleted fish on the other side of the stove.

“It’s purple.” Deidara observed, reaching out and poking half an eggplant Sakumo had yet to chop.

“It’s Kakashi’s favourite.” Sakumo said, and Deidara looked up at him warily. “Eggplant with miso. Since he was little.”

Deidara hummed curiously, inching closer.

“Will you try it tonight?” Sakumo asked, and Deidara huffed, nose wrinkling.

“Of course.” he said staunchly, and Sakumo looked across at his mate, finding Orochimaru meeting his gaze with amusement.

“Of course.” Sakumo agreed lightly.

“I’m glad to hear it.” Orochimaru said, taking half a step back from the counter. “Would you like to help me?” he asked, and Deidara left off staring down the vegetables to trot over to him.

Notes:

Sakumo is a clever dadwolf! Who knows how much the banglet idolises his viperwolf-aniki. ;)

Chapter 702: Holiday Hunt

Chapter Text

Orochimaru padded outside, holding a light robe a little closer around himself against the damp morning chill. “What are you doing out here so early, wolf-heart?” he asked, yawning.

Sakumo stretched, then turned to look over his shoulder with a smile. He leaned over a bit and gestured with the knife in his hand, and Orochimaru leaned over the edge of the steps and looked down. Sakumo was butchering a brace of rabbits, evidently.

“I thought best done outside.” Sakumo said wryly, and Orochimaru hummed, amused.

“True.” He leaned against the post beside him - carefully, because when they’d gotten to the cabin the day before he’d done the same thing only to find one of them wobbly - and shivered a little. “Went out for a dawn hunt, did you?”

“Just a bit of a run, get the look of the place.” Sakumo demurred. “These were merely . . . a happy coincidence.” he added, grinning just enough to show sharp teeth as he gestured at the rabbits again.

Orochimaru laughed, but when another shiver ran through him he moved away from the post and trailed his fingers through Sakumo’s hair - still wild from sleep, and he hadn’t bothered to tie it back. “I’ll put on some tea.”

Sakumo tilted his head up and kissed Orochimaru’s fingers. “It’s too cool to be out here half-dressed.” he said, nodding towards Orochimaru’s robe, not even tied shut properly.

Orochimaru snorted, nodding, and retreated back into the cabin, smoothing the fabric out a little before moving to tie the sash.

Chapter 703: Concussed Confusion

Chapter Text

“Sakumo.”

Sakumo whined, but opened his eyes, even if he cringed as he did it.

“There he is. We were starting to worry.”

Sakumo whined again, wincing, and cool fingers slid over his face, drawing his attention in the opposite direction of the too-loud voice, to his mate.

“Sakumo, don’t go back to sleep yet.” Orochimaru said, and he sighed. He was exhausted. He nodded, then gasped at the throb of pain it brought. “Yes, don’t move either, if you can.” Orochimaru said, and Sakumo groaned acknowledgement. What had hap- “You have a concussion, wolf-heart.”

Sakumo sighed.

“Answer a few questions for me, and then you can go back to sleep.” Orochimaru prompted, stroking his brow, and Sakumo met his mate’s gaze, waiting.

Chapter 704: Incautious Katon

Chapter Text

“I believe,” Orochimaru said acidly, “the idea is to deflect the katon without making contact?”

Sakumo whined sheepishly. For all Orochimaru’s waspish tone, however, his hands were gentle as he wrapped bandages over Sakumo’s hands, already slick with burn ointment.

“I did try, lovely.” Sakumo pointed out gently after Orochimaru had vented a few more angry mutters. “It was. . .”

Uchiha.” Orochimaru spat. “It wasn’t well-aimed, nor controlled, I saw.” He snorted, scowling, and smoothed a hand over Sakumo’s wrist, clear of the burns.

Ah. Sakumo had known his mate wasn’t actually angry with him, but he hadn’t realised Orochimaru had seen the exchange well enough to direct that anger elsewhere.

“They aren’t so bad.” Sakumo reminded, flexing his fingers. “If I’d chosen another element to guard with I’d probably be fine.” he added.

He’d just chosen doton first because he was most comfortable with it, outside of his own raiton, which would have been less than no help against an uncontrolled fireball.

“You shouldn’t need to be quite so careful for your own team not to leave you with damaging injuries.” Orochimaru countered sharply.

Sakumo shrugged. True enough, and he wasn’t best pleased himself, even aside from the hot ache of his scorched hands.

Chapter 705: Brushing Expertise

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“May I, lovely?” Sakumo asked, hand sliding up Orochimaru’s arm to clasp his wrist.

He arched an eyebrow, but surrendered his brush, and Sakumo kissed his shoulder, moving to settle behind him. Orochimaru tilted his head, allowing his hair to fall easily down his back, tangled though it was.

“You’re going to let Hatake brush your hair?” Tsunade asked, stretching a little and lounging against the pile of their spare gear. “Does Hatake even know how to use a brush?”

Sakumo snorted, glancing over Orochimaru’s shoulder at her, and Orochimaru hissed dismissively. Sakumo paused, gathering his mate’s silky hair in one hand, and nuzzled a kiss to the base of his neck.

Orochimaru sighed, relaxing a little, and Sakumo returned to picking bits of rock and twig out of Orochimaru’s hair before beginning to gently work at the knots.

“Your hair is much less wilful than mine.” he murmured, letting some of the loose strands slide between his fingers; now brushed smooth, it flowed like heavy silk.

“You just look a mess no matter how much brushing one puts into that mane.” Orochimaru observed dryly, and Sakumo grinned. That was true enough. As his mate had proven with some extended attempts which may not have made Sakumo’s hair any less wild, but had certainly left him a contented puddle in his mate’s lap.

Sakumo ran his fingers through the length of Orochimaru’s hair. “Want me to braid it, or leave it loose?” he asked, repeating the strokes, fingertips brushing the nape of Orochimaru’s neck.

“Braid it if you like.” Orochimaru said lazily, and Sakumo hummed, happily beginning on just that for the excuse to keep touching his mate. Orochimaru moaned softly, just barely leaning into his touch.

Notes:

Just started work on something new today which, if it works out, may be a rather long SakuOro oneshot with many soft feelings, some angst, and smut - so, you know, probably about what you'd expect from me, even with some new angles. ;)

Chapter 706: Naptime Dance

Chapter Text

Orochimaru watched with a fond smile as Sakumo sang softly, swaying in small steps back and forth and turning, cradling Kakashi against his chest.

He moved towards his mate and son, and Sakumo raised his head, smiling. Kakashi fussed a little, mostly asleep, and Orochimaru smoothed a hand over his head and down his side, stepping in close.

Sakumo shifted his hold a little and Orochimaru curled one hand around his arm supporting their son, winding the other arm around Sakumo himself, trapping Kakashi close between their bodies and matching his mate’s slow movements.

Chapter 707: Fretting and Sharing Space

Chapter Text

“How is he?” Sakumo asked immediately.

Orochimaru arched a brow, closing the door behind himself. “As well as he was at dinner.” he said lightly, crossing the room.

Sakumo nodded, and Orochimaru folded himself down onto the futon, leaning into Sakumo’s shoulder.

“How willing do you think Nori is going to be to share space by him?” Sakumo asked, listening to the barely-there sound of someone passing by outside.

Orochimaru hummed. “Shisui is going to have to learn to coexist with him at some point. Or,” he paused, almost laughing, “the other way around. I suppose it might as well be tonight.”

“When Kakashi is wounded. I’m sure that will go well.” Sakumo observed dryly. Nori fussed and fretted over their cub - even now he was grown - if anything even more than either of them.

“He’s an Uchiha, they fret very loudly.” Orochimaru countered with a little huff of breath. “Nori may find himself matched on that score.”

Sakumo shook his head, nuzzling his mate’s shoulder. “. . .did you imagine they’d be like this, when you first summoned him to help watch Kakashi all those years ago?”

Orochimaru laughed lightly, turning more towards Sakumo. He opened his arms to his mate. His own fretting might not be loud or angry, but seeing their cub pass through the gates, returning to the village unsteady and splashed with his own blood. . .

Well. Neither of them had been too emotionally steady either.

“Certainly not.” Orochimaru said on a sigh. “Now, of course. . . I can hardly picture our cubling without him.”

Sakumo smiled. True enough.

Chapter 708: Rest and Recovery

Chapter Text

Orochimaru stretched a little and Sakumo lifted his head, whining inquisitively and nuzzling Orochimaru’s shoulder. He laughed, reaching out and sinking his fingers into Sakumo’s ruff, rubbing affectionately beneath it.

“I’m fine.” Orochimaru assured him, and Sakumo whuffed, tipping his muzzle up. Orochimaru almost leaned forwards enough to kiss the top of it, but a twinge made him remember not to bend that way just yet.

He resettled Kakashi in his lap - still sleeping easily - and let himself rest against his mate’s solid side, soft fur ruffling around him. Sakumo shifted minutely, curling tighter around him, and he smiled, pushing his fingers a little further through Sakumo’s ruff.

Chapter 709: Help and Whys

Chapter Text

“What’re you doing, Dad?” Kakashi asked, scrambling up onto the chair beside Sakumo and looking at the table.

Sakumo smiled at him and picked up another senbon, running his fingers over its length - not the callused pads, but the softer skin higher up - checking for any imperfections. “I’m checking your mother’s senbon.” he said, tilting the senbon and sighting down it.

“Why are you doing that?” Kakashi asked, reaching out and poking at one of the pile Sakumo had yet to check.

“Because Mama has been very busy lately,” Sakumo said, tucking the senbon into its place in the newly-polished case, “and it is something small I can do to make his life easier.”

“Doesn’t Mama get picky about touching his stuff?” Kakashi asked, craning his neck to watch as Sakumo took away the senbon he held.

“Generally yes.” Sakumo agreed, lips twitching. “With good reason. A ninja depends on their gear; if someone makes a mistake with yours, or even so much as stores it differently, it could mean danger.”

Kakashi thumped back down in his chair. “Then why are you doing that?” he asked.

“Because your mother trusts me,” Sakumo said, ruffling his cub’s hair, “and I know exactly how he prefers to keep his weaponry and gear arranged, and I will put it exactly how he expects.”

“Ohhh. . .” Kakashi said, watching with wide, curious eyes as Sakumo continued to work.

Chapter 710: Sharing Seas

Chapter Text

Kakashi perched on the mast, the sea winds making the ship’s sails billow and tossing his hair. They were circling for a better angle of attack on an enemy vessel, and Kakashi was keeping watch for any surprises.

“Kakashi!” the captain called, and Kakashi raised a hand in a salute of acknowledgement, eyes fixed on the horizon.

“Kakashi, it’s time for dinner!” Dad called, and Kakashi sighed, looking down out of the tree. Dad cocked his head, arms crossed. “Your mother is waiting. And your brother.”

Kakashi perked up. “Minato-nii is back?” he asked, walking out along the branch.

“Minato-nii is back.” Dad confirmed, and held up his hands.

Kakashi leapt off, leaving the salt air and wild seas behind, and Dad caught him easily. “I was playing pirates.” Kakashi informed him, and Dad grinned, ruffling his hair.

“Perhaps Minato-nii will read you one of our ancestors’ stories before bed tonight.” Dad suggested, and Kakashi frowned.

“Don’t need to be read to.” he huffed.

“Wouldn’t you like it though?” Dad asked, squeezing his shoulder. “You could share the stories with Minato-nii. . .”

That was true, Kakashi thought, cheering up. Besides, it . . . was nice, sometimes. . .

Chapter 711: Soup, Sickness, and Sunshine

Chapter Text

Sakumo’s brows rose as he stepped into the kitchen to find Kakashi perched on the counter by the stove, stirring a pot. No one else was in sight.

“What are you up to, cub?” Sakumo asked, crossing the kitchen and pressing a kiss to the top of Kakashi’s head.

“Making soup.” Kakashi said simply, and stirred it again before withdrawing the spoon. “Minato-nii is sick and Mama asked me to watch it.” he added, looking up.

Sakumo frowned, but nodded at Kakashi, squeezing his shoulder. “Do you-”

“Hello, wolf-heart.” Orochimaru greeted from the doorway, and Sakumo turned to see him putting a basket down on the table. “I was just about to go check on Minato again, but perhaps you would like to?”

Sakumo squeezed Kakashi’s shoulder again before walking away. Orochimaru smiled, greeting him with a light embrace and a soft kiss.

“What’s wrong with Minato?” he asked quietly, and Orochimaru hugged him a little tighter.

“He’s just picked up a mild fever.” Orochimaru said gently, releasing Sakumo and stroking his face. He was relieved to hear it; Minato had been on a mission when Sakumo left on his own two weeks back, and he hadn’t been sure it wasn’t something worse that they didn’t want to tell Kakashi.

“I’ll go check on him.” Sakumo nodded, glancing back at Kakashi with a smile and allowing his mate’s urging to carry him out the kitchen door.

Chapter 712: Unusual, Not Unsuited

Chapter Text

Sakumo’s lips twitched, his smile escaping his control as Orochimaru’s eyes snapped up to meet his, narrowing.

“Are you aware you have flowers in your hair, my love?” he asked lightly, moving closer, reaching up to one lock of hair that still fell free, framing Orochimaru’s face, sweeping it behind his ear.

“Yes.” Orochimaru said dryly, tilting his head. He reached up and flicked his thick braid over his shoulder, pink and purple flowers and all. “Tenzou’s work.”

“Intentionally?” Sakumo asked, because it might have been a while since Tenzou had unintentionally grown flowers, but. . .

“Yes.” Orochimaru said, laughing softly. “I told him it was all right.”

“They suit you.” Sakumo said, brushing a kiss over Orochimaru’s cheek. “Unusual though they are.”

“Is there anything you would not say suited me?” Orochimaru asked archly, sliding a hand over Sakumo’s side and squeezing his hip.

Sakumo grinned, and Orochimaru snorted, shaking his head.

Chapter 713: Hime Revisited

Chapter Text

“Orochimaru, have you-” Sakumo’s words stumble into silence, his eyes wide.

Orochimaru in a kimono isn’t stunningly unusual, but this one is. . .

Orochimaru turns to him with a faint smile. His hair is pinned up with jewelled kanzashi as familiar to Sakumo as the layered kimono.

Orochimaru isn’t Orochimaru, he’s the hime that had fluttered on Sakumo’s arm on the first real mission they’d ever been assigned together. But he’s also Orochimaru and that-

Sakumo swallows. “Why. . .”

“You liked Fujiko-hime.” Orochimaru observes, lips tilting a little more, sweeping one artfully loose lock of hair across his face. His eyes are still - always - sharp and fierce, and they’re grounding, when he has changed even his voice - softer and gentle, smoky.

“I like you.” Sakumo corrects. “I love you. You’re-”

Orochimaru’s smile is soft but also amused. Sakumo frowns, confused.

“I know, wolf.” Orochimaru says, moving towards him, reaching out. “But you also liked Fujiko-hime,” his fingertips brush over Sakumo’s face, “and it’s easy for me to be this, for you. Don’t you like?”

“Oro. . .” Sakumo lifts his hands, then drops them again, shifting his weight.

“Sakumo,” Orochimaru says, cupping his jaw, “there’s no trick or trap, I won’t be upset. I love that you only want me,” his smile is wide enough to tease at showing his fangs, just for a moment, “but this is easy . . . and it’s still me. Indulge me.”

“Aren’t you indulging me?” Sakumo asks, smoothing one hand over Orochimaru’s hip, the fine kimono soft beneath his touch. Orochimaru laughs softly and Sakumo pulls him in closer.

“Perhaps.” Orochimaru breathes against his mouth, and Sakumo cups his face and draws him into a kiss.

Chapter 714: Undercover Uncertainties

Chapter Text

Orochimaru reached out as he heard the soft padding of paws approaching from behind him. Sakumo’s muzzle pushed into his palm, and he smoothed his hand back over Sakumo’s ears and neck.

He grimaced at the feel of the collar, and Sakumo whuffed, flopping down heavily beside the bench.

“It really doesn’t suit you, my love.” Orochimaru observed, digging his fingers into Sakumo’s fur.

He whined agreeably, tail swishing back and forth once.

Orochimaru examined his mate. “I’m also not entirely sure how they think this makes you seem less of a threat.” he added dryly.

Sakumo whuffed again, shifting his head on his paws and grinning, baring his long fangs.

Orochimaru hummed, sliding from the bench down to the ground beside Sakumo, stroking him affectionately as he burrowed his head against Orochimaru’s chest. He pricked his ears, tail swishing again, and Orochimaru sighed, stroking him absently.

Sakumo might pass for a war hound or possibly a hunting hound - one kept by a noble enough family - and Orochimaru could certainly pass for that sort of nobility, but he still had his doubts as to the success of this cover.

Chapter 715: Snowy Scuffle

Chapter Text

“I hope you realise,” Orochimaru said, shifting the skates tied over his shoulder, “that I am not . . . romping through the snow.”

Sakumo wheeled in a large arc, throwing snow up all around himself, and loped back towards Orochimaru. He skidded a little as he changed shapes, his grin remaining. “I wouldn’t dream of it!” he said, breathless and light.

Orochimaru huffed, but he returned his mate’s smile.

Sakumo touched his side, leaning close and nuzzling his face. “You needn’t have agreed to this much.” Sakumo said softly, kissing one corner of Orochimaru’s mouth.

“Mm, it will be fun.” Orochimaru said, resettling the skates over his shoulder before reaching up and trailing his fingertips over Sakumo’s face. “And you can warm me up when we get home later.”

Sakumo grinned again, tilting his head to kiss Orochimaru’s fingers. “With pleasure.”

“Later.” Orochimaru said with a little sigh. “Our teammates will be waiting for us.”

Sakumo rumbled affectionately, dipping his head and reaching up to catch Orochimaru’s hand even as he stepped back.

Chapter 716: Frustration and Fluff

Chapter Text

“Dad!” Kakashi whined, and Orochimaru stifled a laugh in his palm as he watched.

Sakumo stood very still, one ear flicking back towards their son. Kakashi grabbed a new double-handful of thick fur and struggled to pull himself up, probably yanking fiercely. Fortunately, while Sakumo was surprisingly tender-headed, it did not extend to his wolf shape.

Kakashi whined louder, his face screwing up. He was beginning to grow frustrated.

Orochimaru rose, putting aside the book he hadn’t looked at in some time anyway. Sakumo tilted his head, looking across his shoulder at Orochimaru, but Kakashi was too wound up in his own upset.

“Easy, precious.” Orochimaru soothed, kneeling and stroking Kakashi’s back, steadying him. “It’s all right, take a breath.” he murmured, and Kakashi sniffed, panting a little before he followed Orochimaru’s instruction.

Sakumo shook himself - gently - and then folded his legs, lying down and stretching out across the blanket spread on the floor. Kakashi sniffed again, attention caught, and Orochimaru lifted him gently, letting him slide down onto Sakumo’s side as he rolled over a little.

Sakumo grinned, tail thumping against the floor, and Orochimaru hummed, amused, keeping one hand on their son as Kakashi burrowed into Sakumo’s fur, giggling.

Chapter 717: Pricked Paws

Chapter Text

“What on earth did you do, run through a field of stickers?” Sakumo asked, and Orochimaru stuck his head out the door to see him wrestling with one of his wolves.

Orochimaru stifled a laugh.

Seikio whined, wriggling beneath Sakumo’s weight. “Didn’t mean to!” he twisted, paws flopping.

“You have them between your toes!” Sakumo shook his head, grabbing one of Seikio’s front legs and pressing a thumb against the centre of his pads, splaying his toes and tugging spiky little stickers from between them.

“Need help?” Orochimaru asked, and Seikio whined again, ears folding back.

Sakumo looked up at him with a smile. “No, thank you, lovely, I’ve got it. Though, if you could bring me the small scissors from the grooming kit. . .”

“Don’t need trimming!” Seikio yelped.

“If I can’t get these out, then yes, you do.” Sakumo told him, waggling his own paw at him. “Do you want them stuck there for good?”

“I’ll get the scissors.” Orochimaru said, clearing his throat and stepping away again.

Chapter 718: Sodden Snogging

Chapter Text

Orochimaru was already laughing as their lips parted, shaking his head a little, nose wrinkling. Sakumo grinned, breathless and giddy, and reached up to pull some of his mate’s sodden hair out of his face.

Rivulets of water chased one another over his sharp features, and his smile tilted as he met Sakumo’s gaze, golden eyes warm. Sakumo’s own laughter caught, his heart thudding in his chest, and he drew Orochimaru in close once more, tight under the scant shelter of the overhang they’d paused beneath.

Orochimaru practically purred against his mouth, sinking into a much slower, softer kiss this time, searing despite the chill of the downpour that seemed to cut off the rest of the world.

Chapter 719: Stolen Away

Chapter Text

This was more than reasonable, Iruka told himself, hesitating midway down the path. It was - one of his students had vanished from his own home and all Iruka had been able to find out was who had come for him when he left.

. . .it had just seemed rather more reasonable when he was standing outside Naruto’s rat-trap of an apartment building than it did standing here, inside the gate of the compound belonging one of Konoha’s oldest clans, small as it now was.

Iruka shook his head, scowling, and made his way up to the door. It was Naruto, and he . . . well, Iruka didn’t like him living in the rat-trap, falling down building where he did, but some jounin just . . . taking him away. . .

Iruka knocked, wishing faintly that Hatake Kakashi did not live in his clan compound, which was small enough there was only one main building.

“Hello.” Hatake Sakumo smiled at him, and Iruka hesitated. “Is there a summons?”

“. . .what?” Iruka asked, brows drawing together.

“You work at the mission desk, yes?” Sakumo asked, tilting his head, brows rising.

“Oh. Yes. Of course.” Iruka shook his head. “No summons. I’m also a sensei at the Academy.” he explained, and Sakumo nodded, looking at him with polite confusion. “I am here about one of my students. Who you have taken from his rightful place-”

Rightful place?” Sakumo almost snarled, and Iruka was hard-pressed, for an instant, not to flinch. He held his place. “I’ll tell you what I told-”

“Wolf-heart.”

Sakumo paused, still scowling, and turned his head towards the low voice that Iruka suspected with an uneasy feeling was Orochimaru. Iruka never really had to deal with Orochimaru - he took his missions from the Hokage herself, and Iruka did not deal with those - and . . . he was more than content with that. Orochimaru was unsettling.

“Oh very well.” Sakumo glared at Iruka and he glared right back. “You want to see Naruto? Come inside. He’s outside in the back garden, playing. And,” Sakumo stepped back, but paused, “he’s not going back to that- that derelict of an apartment, alone. He’s here and he’s staying.”

“We promised.” Orochimaru said, almost slinking into Iruka’s view, one hand sliding over Sakumo’s shoulder. “We’re keeping him.”

His sharp smile was almost more alarming than Sakumo’s snarl, but Iruka refused to rise to the bait or back down. He needed to see Naruto.

Then he’d worry about what to do.

Chapter 720: Not By Halves

Chapter Text

Sakumo trailed his hands over Orochimaru’s shoulders, squeezing gently. “I thought you said you were going to wrap up the report quickly? Put together a light version?”

Orochimaru groaned, flipping his pencil and letting it clatter across the table as he sank heavily back in the chair. “I did.” he said, tilting his head back.

Sakumo kissed his brow, glancing at the report. It didn’t take him any longer to realise it was definitely not lighter on the details.

Sakumo wrapped an arm around him just beneath the collarbones, nuzzling his temple. “You can’t do things by halves, can you, lovely?”

Orochimaru groaned again, vaguely affirmative, and Sakumo’s lips tugged towards a smile. Of course he couldn’t.

“Why don’t you leave the rest of this for tomorrow, then,” Sakumo suggested gently, rubbing his shoulder, “have a bath and come to bed. It’s late.”

Orochimaru frowned, fingers trailing across the paper before him, then turned, slipping out of Sakumo’s hold to rise.

Chapter 721: Sea Surprise (selkie)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Attention drawn suddenly to a rapid movement just at the shoreline, Orochimaru paused, eyes narrowing. All was still among the rocks, but he hesitated for only a moment before going to investigate.

His brows rose as he found a very nude, very wet man on the other side. “Lost?” he questioned dryly.

Storm-grey eyes snapped up to meet his, blazing and fierce. Orochimaru’s breath hitched.

“You won’t catch me.”

Orochimaru frowned, tilting his head. “Why would I try?” he countered.

“It’s all your kind ever do.” the man snapped, and Orochimaru arched a brow.

My kind is it?” he asked, giving in to impulse and tasting the air. He stilled, staring at the man once more. He smelltasted only sea and fish and. . . “What are you. . .” he murmured thoughtlessly.

“What are you?” the man asked, eyes wide.

Orochimaru laughed, leaning against the rock between them. “A snake in human skin. More or less.” he teased rather than answer fully.

The man shifted a little. “A seal out of my skin.” he admitted in kind. He swallowed. “One of my sisters . . . her skin was stolen. A man took it, and he took her away. I was . . . searching, when you interrupted me.”

Orochimaru stilled, amusement frozen in his chest. It wasn’t a surprise that humans could and would do such, no, but. . .

“She has dark hair, not like yours.” Orochimaru said, not quite a question.

You-”

“One of the men in the village, he brought home a wife unexpectedly. She doesn’t speak, she just looks towards the sea.” Orochimaru said, lip curling.

The creature’s expression twisted with grief and pain, and Orochimaru thought of the twist of a trapped serpent lashing against glass walls.

“I don’t know where her skin is, but I’ll take you to her.” Orochimaru said, and fought the impulse to bare his teeth. “And I’ll help you find it if I can.” he added, voice low. Wild creatures should never be trapped, freedom and will stolen.

Chapter 722: Hesitance and Hope (selkie)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru hesitated, but rested a hand on Sakumo’s shoulder when he stopped, eyes thick with pain, before they could approach the house his sister was trapped within.

Sakumo took a breath, then turned his face away, pressing into Orochimaru’s side, startling him. Sakumo was startlingly warm through the fabric of one of Orochimaru’s own yukata, and unsurprisingly heavy as he leaned hard into Orochimaru.

“Sakumo?” he asked softly, lifting his gaze to the window where a dark-haired, pale woman sat.

“My sister.” Sakumo grit out, and Orochimaru lifted his hand to Sakumo’s back. “I can’t- I don’t want to give her hope or a . . . a promise I don’t know I can keep. And if that human sees. . .”

Orochimaru nodded understanding, guiding Sakumo away again with a last look up at his sister sitting in the window; her fathomless black gaze fixed on the cliffs of the horizon that hid the ocean away from the village.

Notes:

One reason selkies have been in mind for me lately, sparking this off (though I do love them regardless) is that a favourite artist recently released a new song about them - Selkie, by Blackbriar.

(I might link a few more favourite selkie songs as I continue this arc. Which I am entirely coming up with as I go, fair warning.)

next in arc

Chapter 723: Seeking (selkie)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Surely he wouldn’t hide it in the house?” Sakumo shoved his hands through his tangled hair, growling.

“Humans are stupid, perhaps he has.” Orochimaru said, feeling rather snappish himself.

They had been searching for over a week, but it was . . . difficult. It certainly had thus far proven fruitless, but that was . . . hardly a surprise, Orochimaru thought, frowning.

They couldn’t track it by scent or magic, so their limits were only that this human man may have hidden the seal pelt . . . anywhere a human could get to around the village and the seaside. Surely it would not be too near the ocean. . .

The ocean, where the selkie would long to return.

Orochimaru shook his head, rising as Sakumo did, resting a hand on his back. “I am sorry.” he offered, and Sakumo bared sharp teeth; not in aggression at Orochimaru, only a display of his frustration.

Sakumo made a half-dismissive noise, leaning into Orochimaru’s side as they made their way back towards the ocean. He was steadier walking now than he had been the first day Orochimaru led him to the village, but it tired him still; unfamiliar muscles put to an unfamiliar use.

“Thank you, snake,” Sakumo said as they threaded between jagged boulders in the sand, clasping Orochimaru’s hand, “I will return. . .”

“I will see you when the sun rises.” Orochimaru returned, dipping his head as Sakumo released his hand and slipped away.

Orochimaru left, not watching to see where Sakumo went to reclaim his pelt before returning to the sea in his true skin.

Notes:

Another selkie ballad I love, this one with a rather happier turn; The Maiden and the Selkie, by Heather Dale.

previous in arc

Chapter 724: Freedom Found (selkie)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo hesitated when his head broke the surface and he found the kindred snake waiting for him on the shore. He had met Orochimaru frequently over the past weeks, but . . . he had never come to find Sakumo before he was ready, walking on human feet.

A cold shiver, dread every selkie carried, ran beneath Sakumo’s skin, at the thought of rising from the ocean and shedding his pelt while being watched. It couldn’t be stolen so long as Sakumo held it, though, he reminded himself. Not that he thought this snake would try to steal his pelt, but Sakumo had no intention of risking himself as his sister had been so trapped.

And then-

Sakumo surged out of the water, barking, and Orochimaru’s lips tilted. Sakumo held himself back, wriggling and shedding his pelt in a shivery slide over his shoulders and back, freeing his legs and looking forwards, breathless.

Orochimaru spread his hands before him, holding a rich brown pelt mottled with silvery smudges. “I thought it best, perhaps, to come from you.” Orochimaru said, with a sinuous roll of his shoulders. “Your sister does not know me.”

Sakumo inched forwards, all too aware of his own pelt on the sand behind him, but reached out his hands and-

Orochimaru simply released it into his hold, smiling with a sad shadow to his eyes as Sakumo gasped and brought it in close. It lacked the life and breath of his sister, of course, but it was hers, whole and waiting, and Sakumo’s eyes stung to have finally found it. She could come home.

Notes:

An old favourite for a selkie song today - one I first heard early in my teens and have loved since then; The Selkie Queen, by The Wild Oats.

next in arc

Chapter 725: Knowledge and Satisfaction (selkie)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru parted from Sakumo, allowing him to go to his sister alone. He went to find her captor.

He was right where Orochimaru had left him, looking a little feverish and very sick, his leg too swollen to allow him to rise. It had also turned an ugly purple stretching a good distance up and down from the puncture marks still slowly oozing blood despite the tourniquet Orochimaru had applied.

He cursed when Orochimaru stepped into view, gasping between spat insults. Orochimaru smiled.

The selkies might be content to merely win freedom for the creature he had trapped, to escape into the sea and know that he would never catch her once more - never catch another, likely to pine after his escaped ‘bride’ as though a true lover.

. . .the selkies might be content with that.

Orochimaru remembered the screaming of trapped serpents and the cold terror of fleeing, alone for the first time in his life. He had no mercy for and all too much knowledge of what humans like this one were capable.

“She’s free.” Orochimaru said softly, crouching by the man’s head, smiling a little more at the memory. He had watched as Sakumo approached his sister, as she stepped hesitantly out of the house that had symbolised her prison, as Sakumo offered her pelt to her hands and she sobbed with joy.

She had left her dress strewn across the garden, pelt wrapped around her as Sakumo clasped her by the hand and they slipped through the back of the garden towards the edge of the village and beyond, the waiting shore.

“Well done for not lying to me.” Orochimaru said idly, shaking his head at the human sprawled below him and drawing a blade. He sliced through the tourniquet, allowing the venom to spread without constriction once more, then plunged the slender knife into the human’s chest - not his heart, but near enough.

The venom on the blade and the venom already in his system would deal with him soon enough, reducing his organs to so much bloody mush. And he would never catch another wild creature and trap them to his will.

Chapter 726: Thanks Returned (selkie)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Sakumo!” Orochimaru’s eyes widened with surprise to find the selkie at his door.

Sakumo smiled slightly, rubbing the back of his neck. “Hello, Orochi.”

Orochimaru stepped outside, glancing behind Sakumo by habit. His home was in a secluded area, a good distance from the village, but it wasn’t entirely unknown for humans from the village proper to pass by.

“Thank you.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru tensed. “From myself and my sister. Without your help I. . .” His stormy eyes darkened, glossy for a moment as though he might cry, and Orochimaru swallowed, lifting a hand before pausing.

Sakumo clasped it, which hadn’t been his intention, but he didn’t draw away. “So thank you.”

“You are more than welcome.” Orochimaru said softly. “I am glad your sister is safely returned to your pod.”

Sakumo’s grin was brilliant, showing sharp teeth. Orochimaru could also smell fish as he let out a little pleased huff.

“Ah! I suppose I should also return this.” Sakumo said, releasing Orochimaru’s hand, which was odd-

Sakumo was beginning to slide off the yukata Orochimaru had lent him.

“No, you- You may as well keep it,” Orochimaru said, lifting a hand to his wrist to stop him, “if you have any intention of walking on land, at least.” He tilted his head, lips quirking. “It would feel strange to wear it again myself now in any case; it belongs on you.”

It was not the best fit - Sakumo was hardly taller than Orochimaru, but he was possessed of a significantly broader build - but Orochimaru had grown used to seeing him in it.

Sakumo smiled again, letting it be. “I might.” He tilted his head. “There are more things than grasping humans on shore; I am pleased to know this, even if I never walk here for long.” he said, and Orochimaru returned the smile.

Chapter 727: Fresh Fish (selkie)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru slowly lifted the string of fish from where they had been laid over the oiled cloth he used when cleaning game, and kept folded in an open roofed area in the garden. It had been moved to his doorstep along with the fish. They were ocean fish, and so fresh they still smelled of-

He lifted his gaze, but there was no sign of disturbance in his garden, or anywhere within sight. He smiled slightly, shifting his grip and bringing the fish inside to the kitchen.

His smile grew when he found the marks of seal teeth on one of the fish.

Chapter 728: Surprise Picnic (selkie)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo smiled slightly as he slung loose the net he had spent snatches of time on land weaving over the last week, settling it on the doorstep and-

He stilled, lifting his gaze. Orochimaru smiled from the open doorway, and Sakumo cleared his throat.

“Hello, snake.” Sakumo said politely, and Orochimaru’s smile widened.

“Good morning, selkie.” Orochimaru returned, then reached out, fingers sliding over his forearm. He was wearing the gifted - given, no longer lent - yukata once more, and Orochimaru looked . . . pleased?

“I thought I might find you this morning.” Orochimaru said, and Sakumo suppressed what would have been a slightly embarrassed bark. “I don’t suppose you might join me, for a meal?” he asked, bringing a basket up into sight.

Sakumo blinked, then smiled tentatively. “I . . . might like that.” he said, and Orochimaru stepped outside, closing the door behind himself. Sakumo felt a little more settled; human dwellings were . . . uneasy for him, and this one might not house a human but it was still. . .

“I’ll show you my favourite spot out in the forest near here.” Orochimaru said, tilting his head, and Sakumo followed as he began walking, falling into step at his side.

Chapter 729: Gifts and Lingering Departures (selkie)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“You- You’ve given me too many things.” Sakumo protested weakly as Orochimaru put the basket holding the remains of their lunch - mostly onigiri, they’d eaten all but all of the tamagoyaki - into his hands. “I haven’t even-”

“It’s not an exchange.” Orochimaru said gently, clasping his forearm.

Sakumo hummed, frowning, his fingers straying up to his sleeve, fiddling with the fabric.

“The yukata was a gift, Sakumo. So has been the food, which I was happy to share with you,” Orochimaru said softly, honest, “as I appreciate the gifts you have brought to me.” he added with a smile.

Sakumo relaxed a little. “As long as you are pleased enough with this, I suppose. . .”

“I might make mochi tomorrow.” Orochimaru said in lieu of answer, leaning against the doorframe. “Maybe you’ll come share it with me?”

Sakumo grinned. “Then perhaps I might.” he said in that way he had of never quite offering concrete answers, dipping his head before slipping away into the gathering dusk.

Their shared meals and conversations had grown steadily longer over the past weeks, and this was not actually the latest Sakumo had stayed before taking his leave. Orochimaru watched him go with a smile, then stepped back inside, closing the door.

Chapter 730: Exploration (selkie)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Are you sure you wish to explore further? I won’t be upset if you do not.” Sakumo assured Orochimaru honestly, but he only laughed.

“I have swum in the sea before, you know,” he said, and tilted his head, smiling his sharp, predator’s smile, “even if never before with so clever a guide.”

Sakumo stifled a soft, pleased bark. “I will be in my true pelt,” he said, brushing a hand along Orochimaru’s forearm, “but I will not leave you.”

Orochimaru’s smile softened and he clasped Sakumo’s hand. “Go, then.” He nodded encouragingly, and Sakumo hesitated a moment, but pulled away, going to retrieve his pelt and return to his. . .

Sakumo smiled slightly as he drew his pelt up around his shoulders, wriggling and settling into it before rushing back along the shoreline. He stilled, letting out a sharp bark of surprise. Orochimaru was nowhere to be seen, only-

The water surged and a shimmering white arc of scales rose into view, followed by an angular serpentine head that bowed back over itself to meet Sakumo’s gaze with familiar golden eyes.

A snake in human skin, Sakumo remembered, barking again. Orochimaru hissed, coils shifting as he moved closer, looping around Sakumo, half on the sand and half in the water. He moved easily through the surf, and Sakumo dove over one of his coils and into the water, leading him further from shore.

Orochimaru followed, not so swift as Sakumo could be when he tried, but keeping pace easily as Sakumo held back, showing him the way.

Chapter 731: Beach Basking (Selkie)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru stretched languidly, turning a little to let his shadowed side soak up the sun, nestling into the warm sand. Sakumo lifted his head with a curious bark and Orochimaru tipped his head with a flick of his tongue, nosing along Sakumo’s head and neck.

Sakumo wriggled, his heavy body undulating as he nestled close against Orochimaru’s side, yawning.

Orochimaru blinked slowly, then let out a breath, letting his true form slide away as he took human shape - more or less. Sakumo twitched, lifting his head again, and Orochimaru smiled slightly, stroking his sleek fur before twisting to curl against him, moving slowly.

Sakumo nudged up against him and Orochimaru let himself sink back against Sakumo’s warm, solid side, closing his eyes.

Sakumo’s whiskery muzzle nudged along his forearm, and Orochimaru smiled, stroking his head.

Chapter 732: Suitable Adornment (selkie)

Notes:

previous in arc

Today marks the two year anniversary of my beginning to post minifics to this collection, which I have done every day since! . . .I love these two and I love y'all, but my inspiration is tired; once this arc is finished out I will likely be dropping daily updates to irregular ones, at least for a while.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru trailed his fingers over the shining iridescence of the irregular - but all smoothed, polished into soft curves like waves - nacre beads.

Sakumo reached up to help him adjust them, tying the strong cord neatly. “I thought . . . they suited you better than true pearls.”

He smiled, bringing his gaze up to meet Sakumo’s curious stormy grey eyes. “Beautiful.” he said, tilting his head and lifting a hand to stroke Sakumo’s jaw.

The nacre wound around his wrist shone in a dozen colours as the beads shifted in the light.

“Perhaps worthy of you, then.” Sakumo said, kissing his palm, and Orochimaru cleared his throat, looking away, feeling unaccountably flustered.

Notes:

Nacre is, of course, the same stuff pearls are made of, but the iridescence and colours, and the wider variety . . . perhaps it was easier to craft something that suited Orochimaru, thus?

next in arc

Chapter 733: Seasons Turn (selkie)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru had kept his thoughts away from the changing seasons with some determination, but the realisation snapped back when he opened his door one morning to find a blanket of snow and ice layered over his garden.

It was early, and it was unlikely to stick for long, but it was an undeniable symbol of the coming winter. He ducked back inside for another coat, slinging it around himself - he wouldn’t mind the extra layer on his walk, anyway - and heading towards the ocean.

When he reached the shore - the walk had taken a little longer than usual, but had not been too difficult - Sakumo had already shed his pelt, perched on a rock. He was wearing the same yukata Orochimaru had given him, of course.

Orochimaru made a chiding noise as Sakumo greeted him, loosing the extra coat and wrapping it around Sakumo, who gave him a startled look.

“It’s cold, and growing colder. If you won’t stay in the sea, or your pelt. . .” Orochimaru paused, throat tight; he didn’t wish to say goodbye to Sakumo for the season. “Then at least wrap up properly.” he said firmly. “Keep this, if you will.” he added, giving the fur-lined coat a tug.

Sakumo flushed lightly and wriggled, getting comfortable in the coat, before he wrapped his arms around Orochimaru, tugging him in closer. Orochimaru hummed softly and let himself be pulled, leaning into Sakumo’s embrace.

“I do not wish to give you up for the winter.” Sakumo said, nuzzling his cheek, and Orochimaru might be flushing himself. “We never go far from this shore, and I refuse to stay at sea and not. . .”

Orochimaru tipped his head up and kissed Sakumo softly. “I would have you close, as well.” he admitted, reaching up and stroking Sakumo’s face, nudging back his still-damp hair. “You are much more vulnerable to the cold out of your pelt, though; please. . .”

“I’ll wear this.” Sakumo promised with a crooked grin, tugging at the breast of the coat. “Thank you, lovely snake.”

Orochimaru snorted, lips curling towards a smile.

“Will you be all right in the winter cold?” Sakumo asked, hands roaming down Orochimaru’s body and back up.

“I’m grown; I can handle it . . . in this shape.” Orochimaru’s nose wrinkled. “I would not give you up, not and it is unnecessary.” he said softly, and Sakumo grinned at him.

Chapter 734: Winter Shelter (selkie)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Are you sure you’re all right in here?” Orochimaru asked cautiously, and Sakumo smiled at him.

It was . . . strange, and Sakumo was not at all sure he liked it, but-

“It’s miserable outside, and I wanted to see you.” Sakumo said, and clasped Orochimaru’s shoulder. The wind rattled the shutters and ice pelted against the house from the outside, as though to underline his point. Orochimaru, he realised as he squeezed gently, was chilled even inside.

“You should have told me weeks ago about the cold and snakes.” Sakumo said, frowning. Sea snakes did not have the same reactions, and he had - perhaps foolishly - assumed land snakes, and Orochimaru, would be similar.

“I’m a grown serpent,” Orochimaru said, and smiled slightly, “in this shape, I can stand the cold.”

Sakumo whuffed unhappily and curled himself around Orochimaru, hugging him firmly.

Orochimaru laughed softly and leaned into him, elegant fingers sliding over Sakumo’s forearms and clasping his hands.

Notes:

Me: . . .so I will, eventually, finish the Selkie arc . . . right? >.>

next in arc

Chapter 735: Winter Distance (selkie)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Hello.” Orochimaru greeted as the door closed, shutting out the sound of the nasty wind once more.

“Hello, lovely snake.” Sakumo greeted, coming into view as he shed the coat Orochimaru had given him. Orochimaru shifted a little, extending a hand, and Sakumo grinned, burrowing into the blankets at his side, nudging up against him. “I missed you.”

Orochimaru tilted his head up to steal a kiss from cold lips, and Sakumo made a rough groaning sound. “I missed you too.” he admitted. “I . . . may be looking forward to spring for more reasons than usual, this year.” he said softly.

Sakumo’s soft answering smile was beautiful.

Orochimaru meant it quite sincerely, however. It had been months since he had ventured to the ocean; he braved the bitter cold as rarely as possible in the deep of winter. Sakumo had continued to come visit him, but far less frequently - it had proven to be a harsh winter, and it was too dangerous to be out in it instead of safely in the ocean with his pod.

Resettling the blankets around them, Orochimaru reached out to find Sakumo’s hands and twined their fingers, squeezing gently and kissing Sakumo again.

Chapter 736: Refusal (selkie)

Notes:

previous in arc

 

I have been waiting to write this piece of the arc for more than ten days now!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Orochimaru stretched appreciatively as he stood in his open door, eyes closed, soaking up the warmth of the sun. There was still a faint chill in the air, but it had the softer flavour of spring now, and the sun was warming the world.

He sighed, stepping outside, then stilled. He frowned, crouching to reach for the bundle of fabric; he’d told Sakumo he should keep the coat-

Orochimaru’s heart thudded in his chest as the fabric slipped away under his fingers. That was not the coat he had given Sakumo. It was fine silvery sealhide.

Orochimaru swallowed thickly, pulling Sakumo’s pelt out of the protective cotton and holding it on his knees, in his arms.

He rose abruptly, the pelt cradled in his arms, and strode across the garden. He found Sakumo outside it, lingering in one of the sunny spots Orochimaru favoured himself and his selkie had grown fond of before the turning seasons had forced them inside.

“Sakumo.” Orochimaru said, his voice rough. “Sakumo I-”

Sakumo turned to him with a slightly wobbly smile, eyes flicking to the pelt and back up to meet Orochimaru’s gaze.

Orochimaru didn’t stop until he was right before Sakumo, reaching up to clasp behind his head and drag him down into a shallow, hard kiss. Sakumo’s shoulders eased, his hands coming up to Orochimaru’s hips, and Orochimaru shifted a little, carefully-

Sakumo jumped, breaking away from his mouth, and Orochimaru tugged Sakumo’s pelt closer around his shoulders. “I won’t accept this.” he said, and Sakumo swallowed visibly, stuttering over Orochimaru’s name. “Sakumo, could you truly think I would take anything from you, take your freedom and your self from you?”

Sakumo bowed his head to rest against Orochimaru’s. “I love you. I want. . .”

“And I love you.” Orochimaru murmured in return, heart fluttering a little though he had known that - couldn’t have missed it with the clear offer of Sakumo’s pelt left for him as so many other, less precious gifts had been. He kissed Sakumo softly. “I would have you to wed if you wish it also, but I will not be a trap for you.”

Sakumo squeezed his hips, then drew him into a tighter embrace. “I would accept a trap, for you.” he admitted, and Orochimaru’s chest squeezed painfully.

“Stay with me,” Orochimaru said, stroking his jaw, “but don’t give up the sea for me.”

Sakumo smiled brilliantly, dark eyes brightly glossy, and kissed Orochimaru again, still slow but deeper this time.

Chapter 737: Love (selkie)

Notes:

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Stretched out on the rocky sand in the sun, Orochimaru drifted into a lazy half-sleep even wearing his mostly-human shape. Occasionally he stirred enough to see Sakumo splashing in and out of the surf, or woke to Sakumo by his side, light fingers trailing over his arm or ribs.

He sighed contentedly, opening his eyes. “Hello, Sa-” he broke off, eyes widening, as he took in the selkie kneeling by his side. He jolted upright. “Hello.”

Sakumo’s sister met his gaze with fathomless dark eyes. “You,” she said softly, the first time Orochimaru had heard her speak, “gave back my pelt.”

“It is yours.” Orochimaru returned quietly. “It was no one’s to give.”

There was a flicker of a faint smile on her lips. “You gave back his pelt.” she said steadily. Her brows drew together. “. . .though you love him.”

Orochimaru tilted his head. “I love him. How could I steal his self from him?” he asked, offering more honesty than he truly wished to, for anyone other than Sakumo. Her concern - and her curiosity - were . . . more than understandable, however.

She folded her hands together, curling into the edges of her pelt wrapped around her.

Love will not offer a trap.” Orochimaru said quietly, and her eyes snapped up to meet his gaze just as he noticed Sakumo striding up the shore towards them.

Notes:

Perhaps not the meeting you may have pictured at the beginning between Orochimaru and Sakumo's sister, but after I started writing this post-getting-together fluff moment . . . I thought she deserved a chance to have her worries for her brother eased further.

Chapter 738: Sensible Reasons

Notes:

All right, from here the plan is that I will update sporadically whenever I have a SakuOro minific to share, rather than daily! We'll see if, after two years, I can beak the habit without having An Alarm about it. X'D

Chapter Text

Go on, you should have gone straight to the hospital as soon as you got back in, honestly, Sakumo. . .” Orochimaru shook his head, giving his battered mate a gentle nudge. Sakumo turned a speaking look on him and Orochimaru sighed, brushing a kiss to his cheek. “I will still be here when you have been treated,” he said, clasping Sakumo’s hand against his stomach, where there was the barest swell of their growing cubling yet, “and so will the little one. Go.”

Sakumo nuzzled his face, then backed off, slinking up the street and into the hospital. He was weary and hurting enough that he was moving slow, foolish wolf.

“Why am I always the sensible one?” Orochimaru asked the air, shaking his head.

“Why do you put up with it from him without complaining when you’re always bitching me out over it?” Jiraiya asked, slinging an arm up to rest across Orochimaru’s shoulder.

Orochimaru turned his head slowly towards his teammate, arching an eyebrow. He smirked. “Are you sure you want to ask that question?” he asked, tilting his jaw up a little more.

“I don’t see how-” Jiraiya’s brain abruptly caught up with his mouth, Orochimaru guessed from the way he suddenly choked on his words, looking appalled. Jiraiya jerked away, huffing at Orochimaru, and he snorted.

Of course he could have said it was because Sakumo was his mate, or that while he occasionally lacked sense it was almost always to do with his doting affection for Orochimaru - and now the cubling he carried - or that he truly appreciated when Orochimaru did things for him. . .

But why should he make it any easier for Jiraiya, when Jiraiya was so often a nightmare for him?

Chapter 739: Sea Monster

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sakumo grinned, waving Dan off as he ventured towards the prow. There was a very quiet rasping noise, and soft lapping sounds that went contrary to the pattern of the waves.

He braced his forearms on the railing and leaned forwards. Silvery pale scales shone in the moonlight, and Sakumo crooned reflexively. “Hello, lovely.” he said softly.

The great sea serpent twisted, broad coals snugging up against the hull. One huge golden eye turned upwards to meet Sakumo’s gaze, and then the angular head lifted, skating along the wood to the railing, sliding over it at Sakumo’s side.

He lifted a hand, smoothing it over scales that faded away, slipping into soft skin, and Orochimaru smiled, sharp and happy, stepping closer. Sakumo opened his arms and swept his lovely snake into his arms, and Orochimaru laughed, soft and silky, twining his arms around Sakumo in return.

“Hello, sea-wolf.” Orochimaru said softly, lips brushing Sakumo’s cheek, leaving chill traces of water. He was dripping, of course, from his waist-length ink-spill hair to the growing pool of seawater around their feet.

“Missed you.” Sakumo said, sinking his fingers into Orochimaru’s hair and tipping his head back.

“I could hardly find you in port or so deeply into populated areas, now could I?” Orochimaru said, but his voice was no harsher, and he met Sakumo’s kiss with gentle eagerness.

“Didn’t stop me wishing it, from time to time.” Sakumo admitted against Orochimaru’s mouth between little kisses, making him laugh again. “My pretty monster.”

Orochimaru’s laugh grew louder, breaking further away from Sakumo’s kisses even as he held on tight to Sakumo’s shoulders. “Be careful,” he said, nosing Sakumo’s cheek, “one day you might be away too long and I truly will follow you.”

“Everyone else’s problem.” Sakumo said, voice low, and pulled Orochimaru back into a deeper kiss.

Notes:

I have been working on a selkie AU for Kakashi Week (KakaIru, but with SakuOro as a background in later parts) and it had me contemplating sea serpent Orochimaru again. . .

Chapter 740: Birthday Lie-In

Notes:

I didn't manage to get a full one-shot written for Sakumo's birthday (been rather busy with deadlines, for one thing) but I couldn't resist at least a bit of fluff here for the occasion~

Chapter Text

Sakumo came awake with a groan, stretching, attention drawn to the strong fingers pushing through his ruff and digging down to his skin, scratching gently. His tail swished and he yawned, back arching.

Orochimaru kissed his brow between his eyes, and Sakumo blinked at his mate, grinning.

Orochimaru smiled, eyes warm, ruffling his ears. “Happy birthday, wolf-heart.” he said softly, and Sakumo’s ear twitched. He’d forgotten. Orochimaru laughed, soft and warm, and shifted where he knelt over Sakumo to stretch out along his back.

Sakumo rolled over, barking a laugh as Orochimaru startled, then licking his mate’s cheek in apology. Orochimaru snorted, but wound his arms around Sakumo’s neck and let himself be half pinned to the futon under Sakumo’s weight all the same.

Sakumo burrowed in against him, one foreleg sliding over his waist and hip, and Orochimaru stroked the back of his head and down his neck.

“Not ready to get up yet, I take it?” Orochimaru asked, knuckles rubbing along his throat.

Sakumo put his head down along his mate’s shoulder, rumbling softly, and Orochimaru kissed his cheek, hugging him a little tighter. “Of course, my heart.” he said softly, and Sakumo grinned, tail swishing again.

Chapter 741: Heartsong

Notes:

It's been a Day for me and I am very tired; forgive me another soulmate discovery moment (with a soulmate AU I have used very rarely, this time. . .) if you will~

Chapter Text

“Yes, I am well aware, and I will not- not. . .” Sakumo faltered, his chest pulling tight as he stiffened, not quite feeling Dan’s hand on his arm or hearing his teammates’ voices.

Not over that voice.

A heartsong was unmistakable, Sakumo knew that; the voice that sang in one’s dreams would wrap around one’s heart when heard in the waking world.

He had not known how literal it would feel. The deep, silky voice felt like it was sinking into his chest and pulling, drawing him after it, painless but impossible to deny. A call he was all too eager to follow, and he took a few steps, falling into his wolf form as he ran, chasing the promise it offered - the secret sweetness that Sakumo had revelled in for as long as he could remember.

Sakumo leapt lightly over a fallen spill of rock as he slipped into the trees, aware of his teammates following him, then stopped, breath hitching.

Orochimaru. Sakumo whuffed thoughtlessly, and he turned, and he stopped singing, his hands full of a few slender, pale snakes. Sakumo whined softly and Orochimaru frowned slightly, tilting his head, sharp eyes skimming over Sakumo.

Orochimaru tipped his head in acknowledgement, shifting to face Sakumo more comfortably, stroking his thumb over one of the snakes in his palm.

Sakumo thoughtlessly tilted his head up, opening his jaws and letting a howl - the quietest he was capable of - spill up from his heart.

He should have shifted, he realised belatedly even as his teammates crashed after him, calling his name; he should have spoken or even sung but like this-

Oh!” Orochimaru gasped, his fingers flexing as he wavered for a single instant.

Sakumo tensed, taking a step forwards, and Orochimaru sank down to the grass.

“Sakumo?” Orochimaru’s eyes flicked briefly past him to his teammates, then met his own again. “Wolf. . .”

Sakumo shook himself and dragged together enough sense to shift, moving towards Orochimaru. “I’m sorry, I-” He paused, taking a breath.

Orochimaru crooked his fingers, humming a soft note, and Sakumo barely heard the hitching sound of realisation behind him, hurrying to Orochimaru’s side and dropping onto the grass beside him. “A wolf-song.” he said, letting the snakes spill from his hands to his lap and reaching for Sakumo.

He moved slow, giving Sakumo time to avoid him, but he only stifled a whine and leaned into Orochimaru’s hand. Orochimaru smiled.

Sakumo grinned back at him. “Were you singing to your snakelets?”

Orochimaru tilted his head. “I don’t sing often.” he said by way of answer, and Sakumo nuzzled the heel of his hand. “I’ve never heard. . . I didn’t even know,” he arched a brow, “that the jests of Hatake wolves were quite so much truth.”

“Then I am glad to have chanced upon such today-” Sakumo paused. “You hear my howl?” he asked, heart fluttering. Orochimaru’s brows rose as his lips quirked wryly. “Oh- Oh I’m sorry, that must have been. . .”

“Interesting.” Orochimaru said with a silky laugh.

Chapter 742: Burrow

Notes:

This one I originally wrote in January 2019, and only recently turned up again (I wrote it directly into my writing peeks Discord).

Chapter Text

"Mama?"

Orochimaru shifted and sighed, twisting from his side partially onto his back and stretching out one arm almost before he woke fully. He opened his eyes after a moment, easily picking out the starlight tumble of his son's hair in the dark as Kakashi approached. "Something wrong, little one?" he asked sleepily as Kakashi burrowed into the crook of his arm.

"No." Kakashi said, burying his face in Orochimaru's chest.

"Mm." Orochimaru didn't press his cubling further, however, only tightened his hold and turned back to his side. Kakashi whuffed into his sleeping yukata and tucked his limbs in to be more easily moved. "You may stay." Orochimaru said softly, tucking Kakashi close between himself and his mate.

Kakashi wriggled and nudged his head against Orochimaru's collarbone with an affectionate whine, and Sakumo - still asleep - reached for them, one arm sliding easily over Orochimaru’s hip.

Chapter 743: Missed You

Chapter Text

“Mama!”

Orochimaru twitched, turning just in time to catch his cubling’s forceful pounce against his middle. He laughed as Kakashi growled, mock-fierce, and burrowed closer against him, clinging.

Orochimaru ruffled his hair and stroked behind his ear, and his little growl faded into a whimpery croon as he butted his head into Orochimaru’s hand and chest.

“We missed you, lovely.”

Orochimaru raised his head, smiling at his mate in the doorway. Sakumo grinned back, stepping into the room, and Orochimaru shifted Kakashi further into one arm, freeing the other to curl around Sakumo’s waist.

He dipped his head, with a soft rumble, and brushed a nuzzling kiss over Orochimaru’s cheek before meeting him with a proper kiss. Orochimaru laughed against his mouth as Kakashi wriggled and whined pointedly, refusing to be ignored.

Chapter 744: Survival Resignation

Notes:

Written for the 2022 round of the Three Sentence Ficathon, for the prompt: Any, any, “no plan survives contact with the enemy”

. . .poor Satou, I created him almost solely for purposes just like this, and I keep putting him through Things. ;)

Chapter Text

"No plan survives contact with the enemy . . . you keep sending us to spy on the Sannin even when most of us never come back." Satou shuddered, thinking of the utter madness of Konoha.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means," Satou told his superior with studied patience - he wasn't going back no matter what, he didn't care if they declared him nukenin and he had to seek sanctuary in Cha no Kuni, "I quit. I'm not spying on the Hatake-Yashagoro family any more. I told you no plan survives contact with the enemy - and I'm pretty sure I won't survive when they eventually figure me out which they will." he added with a shudder; he'd watched the White Fang and the Serpent Sannin long enough to wonder if they hadn't already identified him as a spy - he had no intention of going back and tempting fate, with no idea why they hadn't killed him yet to boot.

Chapter 745: Failed

Chapter Text

I hate you!

Orochimaru flinched. Broad hands slid over his shoulders, kneading gently, and he sighed, leaning back and tilting his head back as well, looking up at his mate.

“It seems the playdate is not going well.” Sakumo observed, and Orochimaru snorted, shaking his head. “I’ll go out and be sure nothing escalates . . . and maybe take the little Uchiha back home.”

“Wise.” Orochimaru agreed, but rose to follow his mate. He wanted to see to their son . . . who had, it seemed, taken more after himself than Sakumo when it came to interactions with others his own age. Possibly in general.

Kakashi hadn’t shouted back, but he was glaring at the other child when they stepped outside, and she was almost panting as she drew breath to shout again.

“Why don’t we get you home?” Sakumo suggested calmly, stepping between them, and Orochimaru left him to it, turning to Kakashi. The glare eased as their company left, and Kakashi turned a confused, distressed look up to Orochimaru.

He sighed, kneeling and opening his arms, drawing Kakashi into an embrace. “I’m sorry, precious.” he murmured, rubbing his son’s back as he asked hitching little questions about the other child, as he had about so many others - leaving Orochimaru trying to come up with answers he had never had either.

Chapter 746: Indulgence

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“What are you doing?” Sakumo asked, cocking his head.

“Indulging.” Orochimaru replied without moving his arm from his face. Sakumo frowned, repeating it to himself quietly. “In denial.” Orochimaru clarified, and shifted enough to look at him. “Of the disaster our children are capable of causing.”

“Ah.” Sakumo smothered a laugh. He glanced towards the back of the house, then back to his mate as Orochimaru lowered his arm. “I believe Kakashi is teaching Deidara-” he broke off as Orochimaru held up a hand. “Kakashi is a responsible boy.”

“And he caused a truly stunning number of emergencies as a child.” Orochimaru said, nodding. “Now he’s teaching Deidara some of his tricks.”

Sakumo considered that and winced. He loved their little banglet, but Deidara did have a very different perspective on restraint than one might hope.

Indulging in denial indeed, Sakumo thought wryly.

Notes:

Even the snekwolf parents get overwhelmed or tired sometimes. >.>

Chapter 747: Toddler Terrors

Notes:

Headsup that there's non-descriptive mention of a toddler having accidentally poisoned himself (a la eating holly berries) in this one, though he'll be fine and is now sleeping off the aftereffects; it's mostly parental distress on show here.

Chapter Text

“Oh kami.” Minato’s eyes were wide and glossy, fixed on the toddler mostly quiescent and asleep in his arms. “This is all my fault, I should never have- I should have-”

Sakumo squeezed his shoulder, and his head snapped up. Sakumo crouched beside him, brushing a hand over Naruto’s bright hair, damp with sweat, and his cheek, unhappily flushed. “Cubs get into things, nikkou. No matter how closely you watch.”

Minato sniffed a little, looking at him and cradling Naruto closer. “But he’s my son, I should have-”

“Do you think Sakumo and I have managed to prevent our children from getting into things they shouldn’t, even when it was dangerous, flawlessly?” Orochimaru said as he returned, a tray in his hands.

Minato opened his mouth, then closed it. “I mean, I suppose. . .” He frowned. Probably thinking about Kakashi, Sakumo thought wryly.

“It happens with children all the time. We do our best, and we look after them when they get themselves into trouble,” Sakumo said gently, “which is what you have been doing. Naruto will be fine.”

Minato rocked him again, still solidly asleep - probably exhausted.

“And hopefully he will learn from today’s misstep.” Orochimaru said, handing Sakumo a glass and then holding one out to Minato, waiting patiently for him to shift enough to take it, sipping distractedly.

“He really will be all right?” Minato asked helplessly as he lowered it again, and Orochimaru rubbed his back, shushing him softly.

“He threw up enough to get most of the berries out of his system,” Orochimaru said confidently, “he will likely not feel very well for another day or two, but he’ll be fine. We can take you both to the hospital if you would prefer, but-”

Minato shook his head, leaning a little into Orochimaru, and Sakumo took his glass before he could spill it. “I’d rather be here with you. I know you- There’s nothing else they could do for him, right? No. It’s better to be,” he faltered, “to be home.”

“Of course.” Orochimaru said softly, squeezing Minato a little closer.

Chapter 748: Quiet Sapling

Chapter Text

“Sakumo.”

Sakumo twitched; he hadn’t heard his mate approaching, but that wasn’t exactly unusual - Orochimaru was soft on his feet even for a shinobi. He turned and startled, grinning, as he saw Tenzou cradled in Orochimaru’s arm.

“Hello lovely,” Sakumo murmured, and wrinkled his nose at his youngest, “hello my little sapling.”

“Someone wants his Daddy.” Orochimaru said with a faint smile, moving closer, and Sakumo met Tenzou’s wide, dark eyes.

“Is that so?” Sakumo reached out, crooning, and Tenzou wriggled silently. Orochimaru leaned in to let Sakumo take him, and he burrowed into Sakumo’s chest. He frowned slightly even as he rubbed Tenzou’s back, rocking him absently.

Tenzou was so quiet, even now. He was a toddler, and while he might not be expected to have the growing howls that Kakashi had at his age, surely he should . . . cry or speak or. . .

Orochimaru’s fingers brushed his brow, pushing aside his fringe, and Sakumo smiled again as he looked up to his mate. Orochimaru arched a brow, and Sakumo shook his head slightly; he’d speak with his mate about it again later, at least to assure Orochimaru that was all that was on his mind, but not now.

“Are you going to help Daddy with reports, Tenzou?” Sakumo asked brightly, and Tenzou tipped his head back, swaying unsteadily - Sakumo caught him with a hand pressing high on his back - and grinned as he looked up.

Chapter 749: Silent Cries

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Mama!

Sakumo bolted out of the storage room towards his cub, but found himself still a step behind his mate. He paused just inside the door of the nursery, throat tight, as Orochimaru continued to their little ones.

Kakashi was pressed to the floor, whining thinly, sliding into his wolf shape. Though they had come for him, all his attention was turned on his brother - and Tenzou, though silent. . . He was curled up small, face screwed up, and looked like he was whimpering, even if no sound came from his lips as he cried.

Sakumo circled them and knelt by Tenzou, reaching out and brushing a gentle hand over his shoulder. He shuddered, breath catching, and his wide eyes opened.

Sakumo crooned and scooped Tenzou up, drawing him in and rocking him as Orochimaru let his own hand slide away. He stroked Kakashi soothingly as Sakumo murmured to their youngest, tucking him in close and folding around him.

Tenzou slowly turned into Sakumo, one small, pudgy hand creeping up to curl into his shirt. Sakumo’s heart ached, and he crooned and cuddled Tenzou, rocking and murmuring wordless noises.

Kakashi stretched and slunk out of Orochimaru’s lap, where he had crawled, and pressed himself along Sakumo’s legs, stretching his head up to rest his muzzle against Tenzou’s side. He wriggled and reached for his brother, and Orochimaru moved to shadow them, brushing his fingers over Tenzou’s red face with a delicate touch.

“You’re not alone, my little one.” Orochimaru murmured, stroking his cheek. “Never again.”

Notes:

Eventually the poor wee sapling may learn to cry, as he may learn to ask for things, but while there are many good things, having a family and learning to express things is a lot for a confused little tree who came from a cold hole in the ground. >.>

Chapter 750: First Touch

Chapter Text

“Tsuna! Are you all right?” Dan’s voice was a little muffled by the layers of rock and dirt on top of them, but it was clear enough for all that.

“We’re all fine.” Jiraiya grouched. “Thanks for your concern.”

Tsunade took a breath and promptly started coughing again, right against Orochimaru’s jaw, grimacing at the dirt everywhere.

“She’s his soulmate,” Orochimaru said, waving a hand, “forgive him his focus.”

“I’ve got help, we can get you out of there!” Dan called down, and Orochimaru raised an eyebrow, glancing at Tsunade. She cleared her throat.

“Oro?” Tsunade asked, voice a little rough from her coughing fits.

Orochimaru smiled. “I’ve got the tailings. Go ahead.”

Jiraiya muttered a curse under his breath. “Back off! Coming up!” He moved as much as he could in the tight space, giving Orochimaru room to move his arms and Tsunade something to brace against to get higher.

Orochimaru heard muffled voices above them, but he was too busy forming seals and keeping control of a tight doton as Tsunade slammed a fist upwards and the earth trap shattered. The voices above got louder, first with shock and alarm, then as the earth between them disappeared, cracking apart under the force of Tsunade’s strength and pressed to the sides of a newly-forming tunnel with Orochimaru’s jutsu.

“Hello, beautiful!” Dan said, leaning over the edge as soon as it was clear, extending an arm. Tsunade grinned, bright amidst the dirt covering her face, and took his hand, accepting his help upwards.

“Go on, Orochi.” Jiraiya said, tilting his head and shifting to give Orochimaru a boost.

He smiled at his friend and was a little surprised to find a hand held down for himself as well. Hatake grinned. “Wasn’t much use breaking the trap, but I can help you out of there at least.” he offered, fingers twitching in invitation.

“Thank you.” Orochimaru said, wavering as Jiraiya boosted him up and catching tight hold of Hatake’s hand. He froze, breath catching, and his gaze snapped up to meet Hatake’s stormy eyes as his grip tightened.

Oh.” Hatake breathed. “Oh, lovely.”

“Orochi? Sakumo.” Jiraiya said from beneath him, and Orochimaru twitched, shaking his head, and moved to climb out of the tunnel. Hatake tensed and then moved, pulling Orochimaru out and to his feet in a single graceful pull. He didn’t release Orochimaru’s hand, and neither could Orochimaru bring himself to uncurl his fingers and lose the fading warmth of what had to be soulmate recognition.

“It’s wonderful to find you at last, lovely.” Hatake said, and brought Orochimaru’s hand up to nuzzle his dirty, bloodied knuckles. Orochimaru swallowed. “I hope . . . for you too?”

Orochimaru took a quick, shallow breath. “Oh. I- You surprise me.” he said after a moment.

“If you aren’t going to help me will you at least move?” Jiraiya demanded from the hole beside them, and Orochimaru laughed despite the rude break in the moment.

“Give me a moment.” Hatake said, stepping closer - his nose brushed Orochimaru’s cheek; a puff of warm breath against his jaw - and then letting go of him, crouching to help Jiraiya out of the earth as well.

Orochimaru took the moment to watch Hatake - his soulmate - and to . . . try to steady his thoughts, find a pattern within them.

Chapter 751: Blue

Notes:

I've been meaning to write something with them adopting this particular stray for quite some time. . . And today this sprang to mind when I sat down to write a minific.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“You know, the likelihood of someone wanting to arrest us for this is not low.” Sakumo said conversationally.

Orochimaru turned to look at him, eyebrow raised.

Sakumo grinned. “Not complaining. Just pointing it out. This one will be a little harder to pass off.” He patted the child’s back as he stirred, mumbling in his sleep. “In . . . multiple ways.”

Orochimaru laughed, reaching out and ruffling Kisame’s hair. He wriggled, nestling his face against Sakumo’s shoulder. “We’ll sort it out.”

“Of course.” Sakumo tipped his head and kissed Orochimaru lightly. “We can talk to Minato . . . tomorrow, though. We’ll spend today with the cubs.”

Orochimaru smiled, nodding and turning to continue towards the gates. He cocked his head. “So if Tenzou is your sapling-cub . . . what will you call this one?” he asked, glancing over his shoulder at his mate.

Sakumo laughed. “Aw, he’s a little pup.” he said with a grin that showed his teeth - not so striking as Kisame’s, a vicious mouthful like the sharks his family had been known for over decades if not centuries, but big and wickedly sharp and decidedly wolfish.

Orochimaru returned it, eyes tracing the sleeping boy once more. He had been fascinated by Orochimaru’s own fangs when he found himself suddenly attacked - facing off against the boy’s sensei - and entirely too eager to trot off after him when the fight ended abruptly, the Kiri nin retreating rapidly.

Notes:

Kisame is ~8 years old (Kakashi is 5 and Tenzou is 2), skinny little shark-pup~

next in arc

Chapter 752: Awesome (blue)

Notes:

As requested, I have written Kisame meeting Kakashi (and Tenzou), though it's only an initial peek here. . . I might see what I can do to round this out with another one or few. . .

 

previous in arc

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Kisame hung back, stifling a yawn and rubbing at his face with the side of one hand. He was a genin, he reminded himself, a proper ninja. He pulled himself together, watching warily as he followed these two legendary foreign nin through a quiet, wild sort of garden.

“Mama!”

Kisame twitched, tensing.

Orochimaru laughed, his voice warm, and bent just enough to catch the flying leap of a skinny, small boy with wild silvery hair like Sakumo’s. He burrowed up against Orochimaru’s neck, whining like a dog, then grinned, and Kisame eyed the flash of his sharp teeth curiously. Not shark like Kisame’s, of course, but they were much bigger and sharper than most peoples’.

A hand brushed over Kisame’s head, and he looked up, ducking. “It’s all right, pup.” Sakumo said softly. Then he stepped away, wrapping his arms around both Orochimaru and the boy, who must be their son - their older son - Kakashi. Sakumo kissed Orochimaru’s cheek and nuzzled Kakashi’s hair, crooning and murmuring to his family.

Kisame edged back, feeling out of place. Not that he needed-

“Welcome back, Orochimaru-sama, Sakumo-san.”

Kisame turned to look and blinked, looking up at the man. A boy perhaps Kakashi’s age stood by his side; he grinned at Kisame and waved. Kisame blinked.

“Tenzou!” Sakumo took a baby from the other man, cuddling him close. “Thank you for looking after them, Dai.”

“Of course, my friend!” Dai said, nodding, beaming alarmingly wide. He didn’t have any sharp teeth, and Kisame looked back at the baby, babbling in Sakumo’s arms. He was biggish, maybe not exactly a baby, Kisame supposed. What would he know?

“Who are you?” Kakashi asked, looking over Orochimaru’s shoulder. Kisame met his gaze squarely.

“Kakashi!” Orochimaru said firmly.

“Kisame.” Kisame said, and lifted his chin. “Hoshigaki Kisame.”

Kakashi tipped his head, then scrambled free of his mother’s arms, to Kisame’s surprise, right over Orochimaru’s shoulder to leap down behind him.

“Are all your teeth sharp?” Kakashi asked, eyes fixed on Kisame’s mouth. He blinked and stopped himself stepping back, looking from Kakashi to the grown ninja he had travelled with.

Sakumo was laughing, rocking the baby, and Orochimaru’s lips were curved into his faint, amused smile.

Well. Fine. Kisame had dealt with this his whole life. “Yes.” he said, and bared them in a warning growl.

Kakashi growled right back just as loud, baring his own fangs, then laughed, leaning close. “That’s awesome!” he said, and Kisame froze. “Where did you come from?”

Notes:

. . .for one thing, Kakashi may not be so easily sanguine presented with the idea of Kisame not being a visitor, but staying potentially forever. >.>

Chapter 753: Alibi

Chapter Text

Orochimaru laughed, low and warm, and twisted his fingers deeper into Sakumo’s hair as it fell loose from its tail. Sakumo grinned, allowing himself to be pulled down, closer, almost into Orochimaru’s lap.

He nosed Orochimaru’s cheek, rumbling fondly, and nipped at his sharp jaw. Orochimaru bared his teeth playfully, stroking Sakumo’s face, then drew him into a kiss.

Sakumo relaxed into it, leaning against his mate, barely supporting some of his weight with his forearm braced against-

He jerked back, head coming up, and looked towards the door. Orochimaru made an unhappy noise, fingers flexing as they settled on his shoulder.

The knocking came again, loud and urgent, and Sakumo huffed through his nose before rising, offering his mate a hand. Orochimaru took it, then stalked to the door, and Sakumo followed in his wake.

“Jiraiya. To what do we owe the displeasure?” Orochimaru asked, voice acidic.

“Hey!” Jiraiya grinned at them, holding up his hands, and sidled into the house. Either of them could have blocked him easily, but Sakumo only sighed and moved aside, leaning back against the wall. Orochimaru closed the door behind him.

“Jiraiya.” Orochimaru prompted sharply.

“Hey! I’m not here to interrupt!” Jiraiya said, waggling his brows.

“And yet you are.” Sakumo pointed out dryly.

“You’re so good at it.” Orochimaru added, lips twitching.

“I’m only here for an alibi!” Jiraiya said, and Sakumo glanced at his mate, brows rising.

Orochimaru shifted slowly, putting Sakumo in mind of one of his vipers curling to strike. He licked his lips, staying back but allowing himself to appreciate his beautiful mate.

“It must be good if you’d think I would hesitate even for a moment to turn you in for whatever you did.” Orochimaru said, curiosity sparking in his eyes even as his mouth slanted into a cruel little smirk. “Do tell.”

Jiraiya beamed, and Sakumo found himself equally curious what he’d gotten up to, so confident they’d back him up.

Chapter 754: Unpacking Fuji-hime

Chapter Text

Sakumo poked his head into the bedroom. “What are you looking for, lovely?” he asked, stepping inside.

Orochimaru muttered something from where he was leaning mostly inside the cupboard, the fusuma open wide around him, but Sakumo didn’t think it had actually been an answer. He shifted Kakashi on his hip and moved closer.

“This.” Orochimaru rocked back on his heels, holding up-

Sakumo’s breath hitched, and Orochimaru tilted his head, smirking as he looked up. Sakumo grinned unapologetically, and Orochimaru laughed, rising with the bundle of fuji-patterned and pale purple formal kimono in his arms.

“Apparently the hime may need to make a reappearance.” Orochimaru said by way of explanation as he put the stack of fabric aside, and Sakumo frowned, absently rocking Kakashi. Orochimaru laughed again, changing direction and stepping in close, hands sliding over Sakumo’s hips. “Won’t you be happy to see her?”

Sakumo grumbled wordlessly as Kakashi made a curious noise, reaching for his mother.

Sakumo allowed him to lean away, and Orochimaru’s smile softened as he took Kakashi’s weight. He let Sakumo curl an arm around his waist and tug him in close, answering Kakashi’s quiet, mostly-nonsense babbles with solemn focus, and Sakumo’s heart squeezed. He kissed Orochimaru’s jaw, nuzzling his cheek, and he made a soft sound of startlement before turning his head to claim a kiss.

“I’ll be going with Jiraiya, wolf-heart,” Orochimaru said lightly, “you can put away your concern. It should only be a few days; less than a week.”

“Hrm.” Sakumo said, half because he really didn’t like it and half to see Orochimaru laugh again. He nuzzled Orochimaru affectionately. “He’d better watch your back properly, then. We’ll miss you. When do you leave?”

Chapter 755: Mama-hime

Chapter Text

Sakumo shifted, swaying absently with Kakashi in the crook of his arm, admiring his mate.

“Mama?” Kakashi cocked his head, nose twitching, and Sakumo grinned.

Orochimaru turned fully towards them, a soft smile curving his sharp mouth. “Yes, precious?”

His face was the only part of him not yet done up to match the image of the hime he would be playing; he had donned the fine kimono in precise layers, held with a long formal obi folded into an ornate knot, and his hair had been pinned up and back, hairsticks dripping little gemstone fuji blossoms holding it in place.

“Mama!” Kakashi demanded, holding out his hands.

Orochimaru didn’t hesitate to cross to them and take him, formal dress or not, and Sakumo smiled as he watched his mate coddle and croon to their cub. Kakashi snuffled at Orochimaru’s collarbone, then huffed.

Orochimaru laughed, passing him back to Sakumo’s arms. He bounced Kakashi absently, nuzzling his cub’s fluffy hair as he whined an inquisitive note.

“Sometimes Mama can be a hime . . . if he feels like it.” Sakumo said, grinning. Orochimaru flashed an amused smirk, neatening the few places Kakashi had mussed him.

“Mama can be anything.” Kakashi said seriously, and Sakumo swallowed back a laugh as Orochimaru looked up, blinking.

“Well, that's-”

“He knows his Mama.” Sakumo said, and Orochimaru snorted, but inclined his head, expression shifting to something warm and pleased.

Chapter 756: Death Wings

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Welcome home, precious-” Orochimaru broke off with a frown, putting aside his book and rising as Kakashi continued through towards the back of the house. His wings pressed tight to his back, shoulders tense. “Precious? What’s wrong?”

Kakashi faltered, wings twitching, and turned towards Orochimaru. “H’lo Mama.” he said, then bit at his lower lip.

Orochimaru knelt by his son, smoothing a hand through his hair and trailing the other lightly over his feathers. “Kakashi?”

Kakashi hesitated for a moment, muscles twitching. Orochimaru waited without pushing him.

Kakashi brought his wings forwards, still tense. “Why are death wings bad anyway!” he snapped, baring his teeth. His wings snapped up and out, mantling fiercely. The fluffy down he was still growing out of was the only thing that spoilt the image - something so near his father’s posture, or perhaps Orochimaru’s own. “We’re shinobi.”

“We are.” Orochimaru said slowly, smoothing Kakashi’s feathers as he lowered his wings. “Even shinobi think many foolish things.” he said, mouth twisting.

This, though. . . For all the foolish, stupid, cruel things he had, this was one prejudice Orochimaru - with his ink-dark wings - had never faced.

Kakashi hissed, then growled, low and distressed, and Orochimaru swept his wings forwards, bringing his cubling up into his arms. Kakashi allowed it, curling close, tucking his head under Orochimaru’s chin.

Orochimaru rocked him, sighing, listening to his angry mutters. Sakumo would be home sometime before dinner - sooner rather than later, most likely; he had been most days since Kakashi had started at the Academy - and hopefully he would have something more helpful to offer their poor cubling. Sakumo had always seemed to shrug off such imprecations well enough - then again, his anger was always more roused by attacks upon those he loved than to himself.

Death wings. Orochimaru’s lip curled and he shook his head, rising with Kakashi in his arms.

Notes:

In which Kakashi (like Sakumo, and any silver-haired Hatake before them, I'd guess. . .) has white wings, rather than the silver-black I usually write him with - and white, of course, is the colour of death. As Kakashi points out - a bit of a silly thing for ninja to hold a superstition over. . .

Chapter 757: Kimono Practise

Chapter Text

“Hey, Bakashi, what are you- Whoa, I- What-” Obito strangled out, and Kakashi tilted his head, looking around with raised brows.

“Your teammates are here.” his mother said dryly from the doorway, and Kakashi snorted. Rin was peeking around Obito, probably wondering what had prompted his outburst; unusual even for Obito. “Your father said you wanted to ask me something?”

Kakashi poked at a loose bit of his hair, then shook his head, letting it all fall back to its normal tumble. “It was about these.” He tilted his head towards the flower-tipped kanzashi - they matched the blue-grey of the kimono he wore, though it was patterned with clouds, not flowers - lying out across the chest beside him, but rose to his feet.

“Perhaps later.” his mother said, brushing light fingertips over his cheek, then his shoulder. Obito was making a thin wheezing sound now. Kakashi nodded.

“Just let me change and I’ll be ready to go.” he told his teammates, exchanging a glance with Rin past Obito's flushed face, then paused and looked up as his mother hummed.

“Or you could go like this.” his mother said, with a faint, sharp smile. “For practise.”

Kakashi pursed his lips. “Did you ever fight in kimono like these?” he asked curiously.

“Not particularly.” his mother admitted, lips curling.

Kakashi hummed, then shrugged. He smoothed his obi and snagged his gear, leading Rin and Obito back out towards the front door, where Minato-sensei was talking with his father. Kakashi paused just long enough to let his father ruffle his hair, then chivvied his teammates outside, smothering a laugh as he heard his parents talking behind them.

Chapter 758: Mother's Hime

Notes:

One could call this a followup to the previous. . .

Chapter Text

“How was training today?” Sakumo asked, smoothing a hand over Kakashi’s hair.

He huffed, propping one elbow on the table and scowling. Orochimaru arched an eyebrow, and Kakashi corrected his posture, smoothing his kimono. “Pointless.” he said with irritation. “Obito was ten times as bad as usual, he could barely go through a kata without tripping over his feet. I couldn't even begin to get a feel for moving in this.”

Sakumo made a stifled sound and Orochimaru glanced up at his mate, smothering a smile.

“Dad!” Kakashi protested, with a pout that suited the young hime he portrayed much better than the scowl.

“I’m sorry, cub.” Sakumo soothed, still laughing a little. “It only sounds . . . familiar.”

“Be fair.” Orochimaru said slyly. “Struck you might have been, but you were never useless, love.” He paused. “And Jiraiya’s distraction was more like to run to shouting and trying to trip me up than being so flustered.”

Kakashi’s pout faded a little, looking between them with a faint smile. Then he froze, eyes widening. “Wait- You-” He paused.

“Sorry, cub.” Sakumo said, not sounding very sorry. He kissed the top of Kakashi’s head. “You are your mother’s little one.”

Kakashi grimaced. “Obito?” he said, slouching forwards in a very unladylike fashion once more and grumbling, a soft growl that was just beginning to deepen to something more like his father’s tones.

Chapter 759: Volatility

Chapter Text

“I don’t want to!”

It was at least the third similar declaration to ring out of the main room, and Sakumo went to see what was so objectionable.

“I’m not a- a hime and I’m not gonna even pretend!” Anko shouted, throwing something that looked like three too many shades of pink across the room.

“I did not suggest you should.” Orochimaru said mildly. Anko scowled, but she also kicked her toes against the floor and ducked her head a little.

“You’d rather be a maid?” Obito asked, pulling a face, and Sakumo sighed.

Shisui elbowed him and he yelped, making Anko laugh.

“Hell yeah. But-”

“I can do it; I can play hime well enough.” Kakashi said, then paused, cocking his head and looking at the heap of pink silk not far from where Sakumo stood. “I’m not wearing that, though.”

“. . .you?” Anko questioned, fidgeting and looking from Kakashi to Orochimaru.

“He’s done it before.” Shisui filled in with a smile.

“It might suit his temperament better than yours.” Orochimaru observed dryly. “Do you think you can manage maid, or shall we locate another chaperon and put you as a guard?”

“I’ll manage.” Anko said, and eyed Kakashi. “You’re sure, though. . .”

Kakashi flicked a glance at his mother, smiling. “I don’t mind.” he said simply. “I can help - or cover - if you have trouble playing maid, too.” he added, arching an eyebrow, and Sakumo remembered Orochimaru coaching Mikoto through a similar deception on a mission . . . before Kakashi had come along.

Sakumo slipped away again, leaving his mate to supervise as the young ones tried to plan their mission; not their first to plan and carry out solo, but one of the first so complex.

He was almost finished with dinner when Orochimaru joined him in the kitchen, sliding up against his back and leaning on him. He smiled, rumbling affectionately.

“Were we ever like that?” Orochimaru asked with a sigh.

“Like which?” Sakumo teased; Kakashi reminded him very much of his mate, and slightly less of himself . . . the others. . . “Where are they, anyway?”

“Blowing off steam in the back garden before dinner.” Orochimaru supplied.

“I’ll expect to hear Obito complaining about Kakashi and Shisui abandoning them to snog any time now, then.” Sakumo said wryly. And that was familiar, Sakumo thought with a grin, tilting his head to catch his mate’s eye.

Chapter 760: Insult to Injury

Chapter Text

“Fuck, lovely,” Sakumo dragged his hands down his mate’s back and bent, nuzzling along the sleek fall of Orochimaru’s hair to press a kiss to his nape, “what has you so wrapped up in knots?”

Orochimaru groaned, rubbing his face, and Sakumo edged close, settling his legs on either side of his mate’s and winding his arms around Orochimaru’s waist.

Orochimaru relaxed just a little, sinking back and letting Sakumo take some of his weight. “Jiraiya . . . dragged me into watching his genin again today. He just,” he paused, making a soft hissing sound, “left them.”

Sakumo grimaced, hugging Orochimaru a little tighter.

“He spends more days fucking off kami know where than even pretending to supervise them, let alone teach them anything.” Orochimaru snapped, wrapping his fingers around one of Sakumo’s wrists. “And yet he-”

He broke off, turning his face away, and Sakumo closed his eyes, shaking his head a little.

And yet Jiraiya had been given a team of genin, will he or nil he, while Orochimaru was denied even when he had asked. Sandaime refused to even consider allowing Orochimaru to train genin, meanwhile Jiraiya abandoned his own or roped Orochimaru into looking after them in his place.

Sakumo strangled down the impulse to growl, splaying one hand over Orochimaru’s stomach and holding him tight.

Chapter 761: Deferred

Chapter Text

Minato hesitated, even though he had clearly heard the invitation to come in. He fidgeted, opening the door and creeping inside. “Hello?”

A movement in the dim room drew his gaze. “Hello.” Hatake-sama said with a faint smile. “Are you running messages?”

“Oh!” Minato shook his head. “I’m. . . Jiraiya-sensei sent me to. . .” He winced.

Hatake-sama’s pleasant expression also faded, and as Minato took a cautious couple of steps further he saw Orochi-sensei was wrapped in his arms. Maybe asleep.

“I’m sorry.” Minato said quietly, rubbing the back of his neck. “I’ll go back and tell him-”

“Lovely, wake up.” Hatake-sama murmured, nuzzling Orochi-sensei’s neck. “One of Jiraiya’s is here and I think they need you again.”

Minato cringed at that, but couldn’t fault it - Jiraiya-sensei had . . . left them to Orochi-sensei rather a lot. He wasn’t really their sensei, Minato knew, but- Well.

Orochi-sensei drew a deep breath and sighed, stirring, leaning up without quite leaving Hatake-sama’s arms. “Mm? Ah, Minato-kun.”

“Sorry, Orochi-sensei.” Minato said softly, dipping his head.

Hatake-sama said something too low for Minato to really hear, and Orochi-sensei shook his head, smiling a little, and pulled away to rise.

“No need for apologies, it isn’t any of your doing, Minato-kun.” Orochi-sensei said gently, and Minato bit his lip, but nodded.

Of course, he felt guiltily glad that Jiraiya-sensei had sent him for Orochi-sensei, who was so much more informative and less . . . confusing. Or prone to irritation. Minato knew they weren’t Orochi-sensei’s responsibility, but . . . oh, Minato wished sometimes that he were.

Chapter 762: Library Steps

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Sakumo, wait! Fuck, Sakumo what are you doing?” Kohari called, and Sakumo was just aware of her barely missing her hold on his sleeve as he hurried down the stairs. His attention was mainly on the tall, lean figure before him, the slender neck bared by long hair pinned up by sticks elaborately carved with scale patterns. . .

Sakumo didn’t really have an answer for his friend, and he called back something that was probably not at all sensible to her without looking back.

“Wait, please!” he called out, then winced. “Sorry, it’s just-”

Golden eyes blotted out everything else, including Sakumo’s own train of thought, as the figure he’d been chasing turned back. Sakumo stumbled over his tongue, and then almost his feet, steadying himself on the next stair down and catching hold of a trailing purple sleeve.

“Hello?” The golden eyes were warm with curiosity and something about them. . .

“Lovely.” Sakumo said, thoughtless, then felt himself flushing. “I’m sorry, I can’t even explain. . .”

The golden eyes warmed further, and the thin mouth beneath a proud, angular nose curved with amusement. “Why you stopped me?”

Sakumo leaned a little closer at the soft, deep tones of that voice, then yanked himself back. “Ah . . . yes.” He glanced down as cool fingers brushed his hand, clasping his own, and returned the hold gently as he lifted his gaze to meet those striking golden eyes once more. “I- I’m Hatake Sakumo.” he introduced, bowing shallowly.

“Yashagoro Orochimaru.” the lovely man before Sakumo said, tilting his head to one side.

Sakumo bent almost low enough to kiss his fingers, then released them, and found Orochimaru smiling at him again, eyes glinting with curiosity and something else, now, he thought.

Notes:

Modern AU? Reincarnation? Parallel worlds? . . .who knows? ;)

Chapter 763: Floral

Chapter Text

“What’s the matter, Deidei?” Kakashi asked, folding himself to the floor beside his youngest otouto.

Deidara scowled at something in his lap, then shoved it away, looking up. “At the Academy they’re talking about how we need to make a present for our okaa-san.”

Kakashi nodded, and Deidara sighed.

“Mama would be happy with a present.” Tenzou said, pausing in his stretches. "Whatever you give him, I'm sure he'll be pleased."

Deidara shook his head hard, his braid falling over his shoulder. Kakashi smoothed it back. “What’s the problem?”

Deidara grimaced and retrieved the little file from the floor, opening it and showing it to Kakashi.

“Ah.” Kakashi tilted his head, examining the array of floral gift suggestions and wondering who, precisely, thought of it as the best theme for primarily kunoichi parents. Tenzou leaned over to look at it upside down.

“Hm. Mama likes poison flowers.” Tenzou pointed out. “Perhaps you could do something with those?”

“Mama has a soft spot for fuji, as well.” Kakashi said, glancing at their father in the doorway and stroking idly down the length of Deidara’s braid again as he made thoughtful noises.

“He does?” Deidara cocked his head, looking up at Kakashi. Dad grinned, and Kakashi returned it.

“Why don’t you ask Dad to tell you the story, and see if it gives you any ideas?” Kakashi suggested, handing the little file back and nodding towards Dad, giving Deidara a gentle nudge.

Deidara looked at Dad, then smiled, scrambling to his feet. “Story?” he asked, trotting towards Dad.

“It’s the story of when we first worked together . . . and how we - eventually - became mates.” Dad said, patting Deidara’s head and clasping his shoulder as they headed down the corridor. “And it left me rather fond of fuji, as well. . .”

Chapter 764: Long Road

Chapter Text

“What do you want from me?” Kabuto asked, arms folded warily and chin tipped down.

Sakumo suppressed the flash of rage he felt. “You’re seven, pup,” he said gently, and reached out - slowly, making his movements clear - to rest a hand on Kabuto’s shoulder, “all we want of you is for you to be a pup, and grow up.”

“But-” Kabuto choked off whatever he had been going to say, eyeing Sakumo warily.

Orochimaru had soothed his fears and elicited at least a little trust from him - enough to bring him here - but . . . well. It was going to be a long road, and they had known that.

“I knew Danzou-sama, too.” Tenzou said, stepping into the room, startling Sakumo. He looked further, into the shadows, and met his eldest’s gaze. He tipped his head, and Kakashi smiled faintly. “They aren’t like that, not here.”

Kabuto shifted, eyes narrow. “I heard- I heard they wouldn’t let me go back even if I wanted to, either.” he challenged.

Sakumo fought down a growl at the idea. A light touch brushed across his back, making it slightly easier to control his anger, and he took a breath, catching his mate’s scent.

“A reasonable adult wouldn’t let you run back into a burning building, either.” Kakashi said, his low voice tinged with acid he had inherited - like the venom above his broad wolf fangs - from his mother. Kabuto eyed him, but didn’t flinch and looked no warier than before. “Which would be safer.” he added with a curl of his lip.

“No doubt.” Orochimaru said dryly, stepping around Sakumo. “Is there something more we can do to assure you of your place here, Kabuto?” he asked, voice gentle but not softened.

Chapter 765: Don't Look

Chapter Text

“Will you either knock it off or leave?” Orochimaru asked in an acid tone, turning partially away, reaching for his sake.

Sakumo frowned, ducking his chin and lowering his gaze to the bar. “Do you. . . You do not like it when I look at you,” he paused, “like this?”

“I do not care for such jests at all,” Orochimaru said, lip curling, “and I have had more than enough from Jiraiya and his friends already.”

Sakumo remained very still for long moments, then reached over and refilled Orochimaru’s sake cup with careful steadiness.

Orochimaru looked at Sakumo again. He frowned.

“I do not jest.” Sakumo said carefully. “If my . . . regard has made you uncomfortable or unhappy, I do apologise and I will remove myself.” He lifted his gaze to meet Orochimaru’s gorgeous, sharp golden eyes. “But I assure you, my interest,” he tried a smile, “and my looks are honest.”

Orochimaru only looked at him for a long moment, and Sakumo put down the sake bottle as he realised it was still in his grasp, sliding off the stool and bowing his head.

Cool fingers slid over his own, and Sakumo froze, head snapping up again.

“Perhaps,” Orochimaru said, his voice softer this time, “I owe you an apology. Do remain.” he invited.

Sakumo grinned.

Chapter 766: Wolfish Comfort

Chapter Text

Orochimaru startled as something moved close by, twisting to look-

He relaxed again as he took in Sakumo - one paw, far too big for his body, lifted as he looked at it almost reproachfully. Orochimaru stifled a giggle, and Sakumo’s head came up with a grin, his tail wagging.

Orochimaru sniffed, lifting his chin, and let his legs slide down, extending a hand.

Sakumo trotted to his side, barely making a sound, and put his head in Orochimaru’s lap as though he were a pampered pet, ears perked and gaze cast up to Orochimaru’s face. He kept his head there easily even as he sat, leaning against the side of the boulder Orochimaru had chosen as his seat.

Orochimaru took a breath, releasing it slowly, and allowed his hands to settle on Sakumo’s head and neck, stroking him, toying with his ears. Sakumo’s tail swished lazily over the undergrowth and he pushed closer still, warm breath tickling Orochimaru’s belly through his shirt.

His fur was ridiculously soft as Orochimaru sank his fingers deeper into the fluffy mass, and he was warm and steady and . . . he was here, solely because Orochimaru was, and because he had been . . . sad.

Orochimaru folded one forearm behind Sakumo’s neck, throat locking as he tried to voice his gratitude for that.

Sakumo lifted his head, nosing Orochimaru’s belly, and brought one foreleg up, resting across Orochimaru’s shin.

Chapter 767: Cornered

Notes:

Written for Whumptober 2022, Day 2, the prompt: Cornered

Chapter Text

Trying to back up again only to find he had met the limit of the space he’d been chased into, haunches against the rough rock face, Kakashi whimpered, tail tucking down. He looked up, quick, but the rock was too sheer for him to climb even if he’d been in his human shape - and he didn’t dare shift, not-

Kakashi yipped and twisted away from the path of a flying spear, rearing onto his back paws and catching an arrow with a snap of his jaws before it could take him in the throat. The humans were shouting, but their voices were harsh and the language only half-familiar; Kakashi wasn’t sure what they were saying past the roar of his own heartbeat.

The echoing, sharp howl that cut through the unfamiliar voices, though. . .

Kakashi sighed, relief flooding his veins. A moment later he saw dappled shadows moving beyond the humans, and the relief grew.

Mama lunged out of the trees, big and angry and faster than any human could ever hope to be, coils snaking around three of the nearest humans as he snatched a crossbow from one of them, cracking it across another’s face and discarding both weapon and limp human body. Dad dove down into the group nearest Kakashi, and he let himself sink to the dirt, panting, as Dad’s bigger body blocked him.

Dad snarled, and several of the humans were screaming - few words, this time, even in that unfamiliar tongue; only fear and pain - and Kakashi heard Mama’s voice, deep and warning.

Dad came nearer, settling close at Kakashi’s side and nuzzling him, and Kakashi leaned into him, eyes closed. A gentle hand brushed over his head and ruff, and Kakashi lifted his head as Mama crooned, body coiling closer around both of them. Kakashi couldn’t see beyond Mama’s thick coils, but all was quiet there, and he could scent human blood.

Safe, he thought, whining softly, as his parents curled around him.

Chapter 768: Hyperthermia

Notes:

Written for Whumptober 2022, Day 5, the prompt: Hyperthermia

Chapter Text

“Easy, easy!” Jiraiya yelled, lunging to grab Sakumo as he thrashed. It was of limited effectiveness in controlling the movements. And he certainly hadn’t noticed the words.

Flinching away as a splash hit him in the face, Orochimaru ducked lower, making sure his grip was secure around his mate’s ribs. Sakumo still didn’t seem to know where he was, and he certainly wasn’t doing anything to help keep himself above the surface.

“Sakumo!” Orochimaru called, almost directly in his ear.

Panting, Sakumo twitched, his movements beginning to slow. “Lovely?” he shifted up a little, and Orochimaru nudged him, letting Jiraiya steady him, now Sakumo was letting him close. “We’re . . . in th’river.”

“Yes.” Orochimaru said simply, rubbing his shoulder. His eyes were glazed and his face still flushed. “Do you remember how we got here?”

Sakumo frowned, brows drawing together. He shook his head slowly.

“What do you remember?” Orochimaru questioned.

“Mission.” Sakumo said promptly. “Hunting.” He frowned, then named the nin they had been tracking and the village to which their trail had led.

“Do you remember suddenly spouting nonsense and losing the ability to walk a straight line when we got there?” Jiraiya asked, and Orochimaru glared at him. Sakumo only made a little confused noise.

“We got to the village?” Sakumo lifted a hand to rub his face, but staggered sideways, balance badly off. Orochimaru held him up. “Oh. What’s wrong?”

“You got very overheated, wolf.” Orochimaru said, feeling a little less uneasy even given how unsteady Sakumo still was - he was lucid again, and he might be confused, but far less than he had been.

“Thus the river.” Jiraiya supplied with obnoxious cheerfulness. “Comes down out of the mountains, so it’s still nice and cool.”

“. . .that bad?” Sakumo asked, obviously thinking more clearly.

Orochimaru hugged him firmly, relieved. “It was quite worrisome.” he admitted quietly, resting his head against Sakumo’s for a moment.

Chapter 769: Sick Shifts

Notes:

Written for Whumptober 2022, Day 9, the prompt: Sleeping in Shifts

Chapter Text

A gentle hand curling around his shoulder made Orochimaru jump, lifting his head to look at his mate. His attention had been so fixed on their little one that he hadn’t even realised Sakumo was approaching.

Sakumo squeezed his shoulder, leaning in to nuzzle his cheek. “Go on and rest, lovely.” he said, and Orochimaru looked back down at Tenzou, cradled in a thick nest of quilts and furs. “I’ll watch over him; you need to sleep.”

“I’ll be all right for a while longer.” Orochimaru said, heart aching. He couldn’t-

“He needs us.” Sakumo said gently, rubbing the nape of Orochimaru’s neck, then squeezing. “And he needs us alert and. . .”

Orochimaru sighed, turning his face into his mate’s neck. He knew Sakumo was right - Tenzou had been sick for days, and it was looking unfortunately likely he would be a long time in recovering, if. . .

Orochimaru refused to consider any alternative.

But even they had to rest sometime, however accustomed they were to doing without when needs must.

“Go spend a little time with Kakashi.” Sakumo said, kissing his temple, and Orochimaru felt a stab of guilt. They had rather been neglecting their eldest, and- “He’s sleeping, and he’s fine, but it would do you both good.”

Orochimaru rubbed his face, feeling the prickle of tears. He was exhausted; physically he could certainly go on for some time yet, but emotionally . . . watching over his son fighting to breathe, suffering through fever and sickness . . . it had taken a toll.

“Go on, lovely.” Sakumo urged, and Orochimaru nuzzled him, sharing a soft kiss, then pulled away and brushed a hand over Tenzou’s head, bending to kiss his brow.

Orochimaru pulled away reluctantly, ceding his place to his mate and retreating to their bedroom. In a few hours they would trade places, again, and it would be Orochimaru reminding his wolf that they needed rest to be able to look after their little one, coaxing him away and shooing him back to bed or to eat something.

Chapter 770: Eardrums and Explosions

Notes:

Written for Whumptober 2022, it's Day 10, but this is alt prompt 1: Ringing Ears

Chapter Text

“Hurts, Mama.” Tenzou admitted quietly, flinching a little, though he didn’t pull away.

Orochimaru tsked softly, stroking his long hair. “I’m sure it does, my darling. I’m sorry.” He pressed a kiss to Tenzou’s temple. “I can fix some of it, but you’ll have to heal up naturally, too.”

“I can’t hear right.” Tenzou said, looking distressed. “And it-” He flinched again as the door at the other end of the house banged, and put a hand up to one of his ears.

“Ringing?” Orochimaru asked sympathetically; Kakashi, for all his control, had been almost whimpering when Orochimaru looked at his. Then again, his ears were much more sensitive than Tenzou’s to begin with.

Tenzou nodded miserably, and Orochimaru hummed, gathering his chakra. He smiled slightly as Tenzou relaxed, eyelids heavy; he’d always found Orochimaru’s chakra soothing. His odd little shrublet.

A few minutes and Tenzou’s damaged eardrums were as mended as iryou jutsu could get them; a week or two and the rest should ease as well. Orochimaru sent him off to find his eldest brother, and headed out to look for his mate and their youngest himself.

Their little banglet had looked alarmed and upset to begin with, and Sakumo had probably managed to impart a reproving lecture without making it any worse. He would undoubtedly want to know his brothers were all right.

Deidara did indeed look miserable when Orochimaru stepped out onto the engawa to find him tucked up against Sakumo’s side.

“Mama!” Deidara ducked his head. “Are- Is-”

“Your brothers will be all right . . . in a week or two. With no loud noises.” Orochimaru reminded firmly. Deidara bit his lip, nodding, his sky blue eyes wet. Orochimaru crouched. “It was an accident, Deidara. We all know that you would never hurt them, and they aren’t angry with you.”

Deidara sniffed, looking hopefully at Orochimaru. Orochimaru kissed his brow and sent him in to find his brothers.

“And we thought there could surely be few challenges we hadn’t already tackled, given our older ones.” Sakumo said wryly, and Orochimaru laughed, settling beside his mate and leaning close.

“Well, none of them are prone to explosions, at least.” Orochimaru pointed out, stretching a little. “Combine Kakashi’s worst howls and some of Tenzou’s bigger messes when he was learning to control his mokuton and we might be not too far from Deidara’s practical experiments.”

Sakumo laughed, nuzzling Orochimaru’s cheek. “I suppose so. At least everyone will be all right. And I believe he has truly realised the need for more care, this time.”

Deidara loved his brothers dearly, even aside from his unexpected devotion to Kakashi, and Orochimaru had no doubt that injuring them - something that even iryou jutsu couldn’t put right immediately - would have taught him that lesson, finally. Though he could have wished Deidara had learned without such an accident.

Chapter 771: Pup

Notes:

Written for Whumptober 2022, Day 13: Fracture

Chapter Text

“It’s all right, precious, didn’t I say?”

Sakumo paused in the middle of the hospital corridor, brows rising. It wasn’t his mate’s voice, certainly, but . . . the soothing croon of their eldest could have been his mate . . . twenty or more years ago, perhaps, more than now. He took a turn rather than continue to the stairs, peeking in the door where he could hear the little pup whimpering and Kakashi comforting her.

She was sitting snug against his side as an iryou nin wrapped her arm in a cast, and Sakumo suspected neither of them were listening to the iryou nin talking about her injury. Kakashi crooned when she tensed, nuzzling her neat pink hair, and she dipped her head with a sigh.

Sakumo withdrew, lips twitching, and continued upstairs to meet his mate, drawing him away from Tsunade for lunch. Orochimaru arched a brow, but allowed himself to be coaxed and left Tsunade with a promise to return the next day. Sakumo grinned.

“Yes, I am taking off for the rest of the day.” Orochimaru said, fond and amused, and Sakumo laughed, happy to be so obvious. He nuzzled Orochimaru’s cheek, pulling him in close, and Orochimaru hummed, fingers running through his fringe, and kissed him softly.

“You know, Kakashi is downstairs with his little pup,” Sakumo said as Orochimaru drew away, “she has a broken arm.” he clarified, then told his mate what he’d overheard and seen as they headed down to leave the hospital. He nudged against Orochimaru, moving ahead to open the doors and thinking again how much Kakashi had reminded him of Orochimaru with their cubs. He always had been very like his mother, however like Sakumo he looked. “Do you think he will still deny she’s his pup?” he asked lightly.

“She does have parents.” Orochimaru reminded lightly, and Sakumo raised his brows at his smirking mate. “And a very adoptive viperwolf-sensei.” he added quietly, and Sakumo chuckled, sliding an arm around him once more.

Chapter 772: Waiting

Notes:

Written for Whumptober 2022, Day 16 (yesterday, when I was too tired to write more than one of the thoughts I had for the day), the prompt: "No one's coming."

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Nothing.” Jiraiya said quietly as he returned from his patrol. Orochimaru tensed, not lifting his head, gaze focused on the sword in his hands, which Jiraiya knew needed absolutely no tending.

He glanced at Tsunade, but she shook her head, gesturing helplessly. Jiraiya sighed. Useless.

“It doesn’t look like. . .” Jiraiya moved closer to his best friend, eyeing Kusanagi warily but disregarding the threat it made. “No one’s coming up the foothills, Orochi.” he said as gently as he could. No threats . . . but none of the second team they had been working with either.

Orochimaru stilled, and Jiraiya rested a hand between his sharply-bony shoulder blades, rubbing lightly.

Orochimaru raised his head, golden eyes fierce. “We’re secure here.” he said, and Jiraiya nodded; true enough. “We’re not leaving. Not yet. Not unless. . .”

“Oro-”

Jiraiya gestured for Tsunade to shut up, somehow evidently much more familiar with Orochimaru when he was barely holding on than Tsunade. “We’ll wait. And I’ll keep looking.”

Orochimaru inclined his head, and Jiraiya could hear his throat click as he swallowed hard, turning his attention back to his sword.

And you’d better fucking live up to your legend and make it out of there, Hatake, Jiraiya thought, leaving his hand on Orochimaru’s back, offering what comfort he could. Surely if any of the four-man team had made it out, it would be Sakumo. Surely anyone who could stand up to Orochimaru, and even find it fun - playful, sexy - wouldn’t have been taken out so easily.

Notes:

. . .Sakumo might be the only one of the team to make it out, but I promise, I definitely envisioned him making it out in one piece to rejoin his beloved snake.

Chapter 773: Furs

Notes:

Written for Whumptober 2022, Day 18, the prompt: "Take my coat."

Chapter Text

“Orochimaru?” Sakumo leaned around Jiraiya’s bulk absently, frowning as he took in Orochimaru’s posture, so different from his usual confident grace. He was curled in on himself, and while the eerie stillness wasn’t unlike him, the slowness when he did move very much was. So was the unfocused look in his usually sharp golden eyes.

Jiraiya grimaced as Tsunade pushed him down, not very gently, and started picking away the blood-soaked remnants of his shirt. “Orochi doesn’t handle the cold well.” he said quietly, looking over at his friend.

Sakumo’s frown grew.

“Hold still!” Tsunade snapped at Jiraiya, swatting his uninjured shoulder. “He’s not actually cold-blooded,” she supplied, “he can self-insulate, at least a little, but. . .”

Sakumo left her to it as she got distracted by scolding Jiraiya, yanking at him by the hair.

“Orochimaru?” Sakumo tried again, crouching by his side.

“Mmn?” Orochimaru tilted his head, not uncurling. He didn’t move even when Sakumo carefully reached out and touched his shoulder. His coat was thick - several layers quilted together, it looked like - but. . .

Sakumo slid his own thick, double-layered fur coat off, a chill sliding down his spine. “Here, take my coat, you’re chilled through.”

Orochimaru twitched, lifting his head. He frowned, shaking his head a little. “You’ll freeze. I’m all right.” he added after a moment.

“I’ll be fine without.” Sakumo grinned, settling on his heels, holding out the coat. “You’ll see. We’ll be moving out soon, too,” he glanced back over his shoulder, “as soon as Tsunade has Jiraiya patched up.”

“But-”

Sakumo draped the coat around Orochimaru’s shoulders; he was slender, and Sakumo’s coat fit easily over him even with the coat he was already wearing.

“Sakumo.” Orochimaru protested, even as he drew the coat around him, wriggling into it; it was no doubt still warm.

Sakumo grinned. “I’ve got my own fur coat.” he said cheerfully, and laughed as Orochimaru’s brows drew together, his fingers sinking into the thick white fur wrapped around him.

Sakumo rolled forwards onto his knees and slid into his wolf shape, and the cold receded a bit. Orochimaru’s eyes widened, and Sakumo grinned at him again, tail wagging.

Orochimaru returned it, a smile without a sharp edge, and Sakumo sighed, taking a step closer without thinking. He closed his eyes, rumbling happily, as Orochimaru reached out, fingers brushing through his fur this time.

Chapter 774: Cellblock

Notes:

I rolled a random prompt from this "the way you said 'I love you'" list and while for most ships the one I drew (#22) makes me think "flailing at feelings", for this ship. . . Well.

Chapter Text

Sakumo stirred from his light doze, leveraging against the manacles on his wrists to pull himself back, brace one elbow against the wall, and sit up. He smothered a yawn, listening.

“What- What was that?”

Sakumo eyed his cellmate, chained to the furthest corner from the patch of wall to which Sakumo’s own manacles were bolted. The nin looked rather nervy.

Sakumo drew a deep breath, grimacing at the dry feeling in his throat. “Hello lovely!” he called.

There was another sound like the rock of the sunken cellblock deciding to get up and rampage on its own.

“. . .what?”

Sakumo grinned at his cellmate. “I believe that would be my-”

Wolf!

Sakumo’s grin widened at the sound of his mate’s voice - even if Orochimaru did sound rather less than pleased. “I love you!” he called back.

“Then don’t get captured again!” Orochimaru snapped, and a moment later-

The door cracked and crunched inwards in a spray of splinters. Some of them might have hit Sakumo’s cellmate, but he wasn’t checking on the nin now, attention focused on his mate. Looking gorgeous and incredible as ever, poised in the doorway, a single streak of blood - likely not his own - outlining his sharp cheekbone, his mouth drawn into a scowl and his rich eyes flaring with temper, his hair falling sleek over his shoulders, untouched by the rock dust and dirt clouding the air behind him.

“It was necessary.” Sakumo said patiently, and Orochimaru arched a brow at him, lips pursing. Sakumo laughed, and Orochimaru’s expression twitched, softening.

“It was displeasing.” Orochimaru said firmly, crossing towards Sakumo, reaching for the manacles holding him. “And I love you, too, wolf.” he said more softly, tipping his head down; a lock of his hair fell across Sakumo’s face.

Chapter 775: Lucky Wishes

Notes:

Written for the 2023 round of the Three Sentence Ficathon, which opened a couple of days ago, for the prompt: Any, any, a kiss for good luck

Presented here exactly as it was posted there.

Chapter Text

"You think I need luck?" Orochimaru challenged archly, one brow rising as his lips quirked.

"No," Sakumo said, smothering a fond laugh, "though it never hurts, lovely. But I do want a kiss." He pouted, eyes wide, and had his mate in his arms, lips soft against his own, before he lost the battle to keep his grin hidden.

Chapter 776: Skin

Notes:

Written on the Three Sentence Ficathon this year for the prompt: any, any, I'm completely naked but I'm making it fashion

Chapter Text

Sakumo had not quite been able to take his eyes of his - beautiful, incredible, graceful - mission partner as he slipped out of the many layers of formal kimono and ornaments that made up his disguise for this mission, but now-

The last layer of silk hit the tatami and Sakumo only barely remembered to breathe, eyes sweeping over Orochimaru's back and the tiny, delicate scales revealed there; white sheened with silver, striking in themselves, and backing a pattern of broad diamonds in pale lavender shading through to violet so deep it was almost black.

"Hatake?" Orochimaru asked, slanting a look over his shoulder as he pulled the kanzashi from his hair, letting it fall like a spill of ink down his back to only half conceal the lovely raiment that was his own skin.

Chapter 777: Controlling the Ending

Notes:

Written on this year's Three Sentence Ficathon for the prompt: Any, any, doomed by the narrative

Chapter Text

Orochimaru stared at his mate - slumped, despondent, eyes dry but unfocused - then hissed in fury. "I don't care;" he snapped, and curled his fingers into Sakumo's shirt, yanking, "get up, wolf, or I'll skin you myself!"

Sakumo shifted more by reflex than design, Orochimaru judged, but he was moving, that was a start; Orochimaru called to their son and shoved Sakumo towards the door - Konoha didn't value their White Fang any longer? Then there was more than one way to bring the era he had defended to a close.

"Are we leaving, Mama?" Kakashi asked, the hakkou chakra to in his hands, a hitai-ate on his brow. Orochimaru suppressed another furious hiss.

"Yes, we are."

Chapter 778: Newborn

Notes:

Written on the 2023 Three Sentence Ficathon for the prompt: any, any, 'how you turn my world, you precious thing'

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"Oh, precious. . ." Orochimaru cradled his tiny cubling closer against his chest, rocking absently, stroking Kakashi's face with a fingertip; he had been so very much wanted, and yet somehow. . .

"Are you all right, lovely?" Sakumo asked, settling to his knees by Orochimaru, pressing a kiss to his wrist and looking at them both with familiar fathomless, soft warmth.

Orochimaru smiled, ruffling his mate's hair; no matter how he had anticipated Kakashi's arrival, his precious cubling may have recentred his world in ways he had never anticipated, but he wouldn't change a moment of it.

Notes:

I saw the prompt and immediately (while the song started playing in my head, of course) thought of Oro and his calling Kakashi precious.

Chapter 779: Mushi-ken

Notes:

Written on the 2023 round of the Three Sentence Ficathon, for the prompt: any, any, Legendary heroes and small victorys

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"Ha! Concede defeat!" Tsunade shouted, surging up onto her knees and snatching up a pillow as though she might smother Jiraiya with it; Orochimaru had eeled gracefully out of the line of fire, but not far, having collapsed in a heap, laughing.

"And these," Dan said, lips twitching, as he bounced Kakashi gently in his arms, "are the legendary Sannin. . ."

Sakumo grinned, ruffling his son's hair and giving a fond look towards his mate and the tangle that would probably soon be a brawl, rather than a simple game played by friends while drinking.

Notes:

Mushi-ken is, of course, the oldest hand-game (like rock-paper-scissors) in Japan, and it is played with gestures to represent three animals - slug, frog, and snake. (Frog (thumb) defeats slug, slug (smallest finger) defeats snake, snake (index finger) defeats frog, if you wondered.) Sansukumi-ken (hand-games) like this one were originally adult's drinking games, and spread to be picked up as children's games instead later.

Chapter 780: Unhidden

Notes:

Written on the 2023 round of the Three Sentence Ficathon for the prompt: any, any, showing off in the public bath/onsen/nudist beach

Chapter Text

Jiraiya looked over with interest as Sakumo - like himself - declined a covering of any sort from the attendant on the way out to the onsen. "You don't have a mark either?" he asked, and fell back a step as Sakumo turned to him, a fierce sort of look in his eyes even if he didn't look quite angry. Jiraiya hadn't expected. . .

"Hatake never hide our soulmarks." Sakumo said, soft and even. He lifted his jaw as he slid his yukata off, turning away as though dismissing Jiraiya, revealing a mark at least as broad as his palm on one shoulder blade that made Jiraiya's throat tighten and his eyes widen; a vivid purple spray of flowers crossed by a snake's fang.

Chapter 781: Unchanged

Notes:

Written on the 2023 round of the Three Sentence Ficathon, for the prompt: any, any, laugh lines

Chapter Text

"What are you doing?" Sakumo asked, lips curving, lying quiescent, eyes closed, beneath his mate's stroking hands. Orochimaru's fingertips traced along his brow and temples, feathering at the corners of his eyes.

"Admiring your laugh lines." Orochimaru said softly, and Sakumo opened his eyes with a laugh, meeting Orochimaru's smile.

"I am showing my age," Sakumo admitted, reaching up to his mate's lovely face, "and you . . . are every bit as lovely as the day I first saw you, my darling," he wound a lock of inky hair around his fingers, tracing the sharp line of Orochimaru's jaw with his fingertips, "indeed, you have barely changed."

Chapter 782: Hardly Accidental

Notes:

Written for the 2023 round of the Three Sentence Ficathon, for the prompt: Any, any, accidental child acquisition

. . .a little tongue-in-cheek because I mean, at this point. . . *ahem*

Chapter Text

"I'm not denying your request," Minato said, lips twitching and eyes bright; their little sunshine, even now he's grown and a Kage and has a little one of his own, "indeed I'm happy to approve it and I look forward to meeting the boy you've brought home - even one you've brought from Iwa this time - but," he tilted his head, "I don't think you can really call it accidental any more."

Sakumo laughed, sliding an arm around his mate, and Orochimaru snorted, eyes glinting with the amusement that curled his sharp mouth.

"Perhaps a fair accusation," Orochimaru said, low and silky, "yet I would counter we hardly departed for the mission intending to adopt him; any more," he added, with a smile for Minato, "than I began to answer your questions and supervise your training with the intention of keeping you."

Chapter 783: Pack Running

Notes:

A throwback! This one was originally written on the Three Sentence FIcathon back in January 2019, for the prompt: Any fandom, any, running with the wolves

. . .well, a portion of it; it was actually three sentences originally.

Chapter Text

"Hm." Orochimaru's fingers running through his hair, tickling over his neck, almost distracted Sakumo from the thoughtful sound, but he cocked his head, looking up at his mate. "Our cubling appears to be taking things into his own hands, denied a late-night hunt."

Sakumo hummed lazily. Then the words combined with the memories of all manner of mischief Kakashi had gotten himself into out of impatience or- Sakumo bolted upright, and Orochimaru laughed, hand sliding over his shoulder and giving his hip a light shove as he rose.

Kakashi was more halfway across the small part of the grounds tamed and planted purposely towards the half-wild forest it faded into, his hair the easiest thing to keep track of in the growing dusk, though a handful of Sakumo's wolves ran with him - mostly cubs. Sakumo leapt off the engawa but paused before going after him. Them.

"Kakashi! Come back here!" Sakumo shouted, and huffed as Yura lifted her head and shot him a grin, then folded one foreleg and twisted as she trotted alongside the cubs, ducking to slide her head under Kakashi and tossing him lightly up to her shoulders.

Kakashi tipped his head back and howled in time with the wolves, their pace picking up as he twined his hands into Yura's fur, and Sakumo resigned himself to chasing after the whole pack. He fought a grin and let loose his own howl as he bolted after them, distantly hearing his mate's laughter behind him.

Chapter 784: Homely Poison

Notes:

Written on the 2023 round of the Three Sentence Ficathon, for the prompt: Any, any, poisonous orchids

Of course it immediately made me think of Oro and his (and his mother's) poison garden!

Chapter Text

Sakumo watched for a good while before slipping off the engawa and padding over to his mate, sliding his hands over Orochimaru's waist and leaning in snug, smiling as Orochimaru relaxed into his embrace. He asked about the plants and listened - to what was said and what was not - as Orochimaru spoke of them, legacy of his mother.

"You know," Sakumo said softly, nuzzling Orochimaru's shoulder and eyeing the nearest deep purple bloom, "there's plenty of space in the Hatake gardens."

Orochimaru's smile was as lovely as his poison garden.

Chapter 785: Untrusted

Chapter Text

Orochimaru held very still, long after his sensei had gone, the low, almost regretful words still circling his mind. He swallowed painfully. He felt like it was a struggle to breathe.

He had known, he told himself. Sarutobi-sensei had made it very clear from the time he was very young that he didn’t . . . quite . . . trust Orochimaru, didn’t look at him in a similar light to his teammates - though perhaps that was not fair; Tsunade had garnered a different sort of distant, confused disapproval as well.

Yet somehow, hearing it, now. . .

He jolted as arms curled around his waist, gasping sharply, then closed his eyes. He knew the embrace now squeezing him so tight he felt like he could barely breathe for an entirely different reason.

It took long minutes, but Orochimaru slowly released some of the stony, frozen tension he felt and leaned into his mate, tilting his head against Sakumo’s. He didn’t open his eyes.

‟I have you, lovely.” Sakumo said, without apology or sympathy, and it was . . . all he needed. All he could take, right now, he thought, a realisation with a razor edge.

Chapter 786: Steady Warmth

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

‟Are you all right, lovely?”

Orochimaru hummed contentedly at the low rumble of his mate’s voice thrumming through his cheek and jaw, smoothing his fingers lazily over Sakumo’s ribs.

‟Lovely?” Sakumo brushed a hand over his hair, and he sighed, nodding.

He wasn’t dozing, but he had been cold to the bone - stiff and slow and pained - for what felt like weeks, and he felt heavy and disinclined to move now he was finally warm.

Sakumo rumbled softly, content and affectionate, and Orochimaru smiled. He could feel Sakumo’s heartbeat, strong and steady, beneath his ear, and he nestled a little closer as his mate curled an arm around his shoulders.

Notes:

It is a bajillion degrees outside here most of the time lately, have some cozy winter feels, why not. >.>

Chapter 787: Swan-sensei

Notes:

Swinging back to another random fantasy AU, featuring wolf!Sakumo, naga!Oro, their hybrid cubling, and, this time . . . Minato-sensei? ;)

Chapter Text

‟A swan.” Orochimaru muttered, shifting a little and settling back against his mate’s side, warm and steady. ‟A swan.” He shook his head, watching Kakashi bound out of the clearing on four paws, trailing after the sun-blonde swan in his human form.

Sakumo lifted his own head, nosing Orochimaru’s thigh, and he snorted, smoothing a hand over his mate’s ears and down his neck. Sakumo whuffed, giving Orochimaru a wry look and cocking one ear.

Orochimaru’s lips twitched, a faint smile. ‟Yes, Kakashi has always determined followed his own path,” he agreed wryly, ‟and the swan is a clever creature I suppose.” he allowed, and ignored his mate’s amusement, idly digging his fingers into Sakumo’s ruff. ‟Good enough to teach our cubling if this is the sensei he’s chosen for himself.”

It went without saying, of course, that Minato looked after their cubling well enough; a pretty, empty-headed thing he might seem as he teased Kakashi or darted around the forest forever chasing the things he’d forgotten, but a swan was a dangerous, cursed thing in his cloak of feathers or out of it, if he so chose.

Sakumo nudged Orochimaru’s stomach, and he yawned, stretching and allowing himself to shift, coils rolling and winding around his mate even as he settled his upper body lower, arms winding around Sakumo’s shoulders.

Chapter 788: A Million Sparks

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

‟Can’t we go next time?” Kakashi asked, his eyes wide. ‟Please!”

Orochimaru looked up, arching a brow, and Sakumo frowned thoughtfully.

‟I can handle it, I can!” Kakashi insisted, bouncing a little on his heels, holding on to Orochimaru’s sleeve but looking back at Sakumo as well.

Orochimaru gestured behind his head, and Sakumo nodded slightly; it wouldn’t be ideal, but if they had to leave in the middle of the display - if it was too much for him - of course they could.

‟Gai says it’s like a million sparks in a hundred colours and it’s really pretty and I’ve never been!” Kakashi pouted a little.

‟It is very pretty.” Orochimaru agreed, and Kakashi whined. ‟For most people, though, the visual side of anything is the strongest, as you know, yes?”

Kakashi nodded slowly.

‟It will also be very loud, and it will smell very strongly.” Sakumo said gently, and Kakashi frowned, sinking sideways a little to lean against Orochimaru’s hip. Sakumo watched his cub fondly. He could appreciate fireworks these days, but they still . . . weren’t his favourite. ‟You’ll have to brace yourself for the noise, and your mask might help a little.”

Kakashi nodded again immediately, and Sakumo smiled.

Notes:

ETA: Not precisely connected, but after writing this yesterday, I wanted to write something with older Kakashi who still doesn't like fireworks. . . Today I have, and it's posted over in my KakaShisui collection as #31, Silent Sparks.

Chapter 789: Rosebush Rumble

Chapter Text

‟Is. . . Is our cubling having a,” Orochimaru paused, tilting his head to one side, ‟a disagreement with that rosebush?”

Sakumo groaned, and Orochimaru arched a brow, looking around as his mate slouched into the room, sinking down on a nearby cushion. A moment later he sprawled across the floor.

‟I’ve pulled him out three times today; if he’s thrown himself in there again it’s because he wants to, and he can get himself out.” Sakumo said, grimacing a little as he stretched.

Orochimaru smothered amusement. Sakumo looked as though he had been through a few disagreements with the rosebush and its thorns while intervening to pull Kakashi out, his face and hands scraped up in places, a smear of dirt over one brow.

Sakumo whined at him, eyes wide and pleading.

Orochimaru shook his head, glancing out to where Kakashi’s fluffy tail and back legs were all that remained outside the rosebush, then turning away from the window - they’d hear him, even inside, if he truly got into trouble - and going to join his mate. Sakumo whined again, softer, and Orochimaru smoothed his fringe away from his brow, absently rubbing away the dirt there.

Chapter 790: Panting Refugees

Notes:

Today we have a modern (mundane?) AU, unusually!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

‟Hello?” Sakumo called, hesitating halfway through the door, keeping hold of Seikio by the collar.

‟Hello!” Orochimaru called back from somewhere out of sight. ‟I’m halfway through making dinner, at least.”

Sakumo slipped inside, closing the door, but giving Seikio a tug before releasing him. Seikio sat beside him as he removed his shoes, panting, and Sakumo resisted the urge to follow suit. It was hot outside and it had been worse at home, by the time their power had been out for an hour.

‟Thank you for the refuge, lovely.” Sakumo said, looking up to find Orochimaru had stepped out of the kitchen into sight. ‟Are you sure you don’t mind. . .” He gestured.

Orochimaru smiled at Seikio, who was not an idiot and padded forwards, body low, to press his head affectionately against Orochimaru’s hip. He ruffled Seikio’s ears, and his tail swished.

‟You’re welcome, both of you.” Orochimaru extended his free hand, and Sakumo stepped forwards into a quick half-embrace, nuzzling Orochimaru’s shoulder. ‟Let’s get you some water.” he added, nudging Seikio away and leading the way into the kitchen. ‟There’s sparkling water in the fridge if you would like, Sakumo.”

‟Thank you.” Sakumo hung back, hesitating, as Orochimaru got out a large bowl and filled it with water for Seikio.

‟Or you may help yourself to water, or anything else in the fridge if you would like.” Orochimaru nodded him towards the cupboard, and Sakumo retrieved a glass. ‟Did they have any idea when the power will be back at your place?”

Sakumo sighed, pouring water for himself as Seikio lapped thirstily in the floor. ‟Sometime in the wee hours of the morning, was their best estimate.”

‟Well, you’re welcome to stay tonight.” Orochimaru checked a pot on the stove, then replaced the lid and moved away again, putting a hand on Sakumo’s hip. ‟I’m sorry for the difficulty, but I’m happy to have you.”

Notes:

. . .written (and posted) while I am camped out on M's couch, because my power went out at home within five minutes of when I got up from a nap. And then told me it might be out until after midnight. And it's summer in Oklahoma. >.>

Chapter 791: Stupidity and Encouragement

Chapter Text

‟This is the stupidest thing I have ever done.” Sakumo groaned into the table, shoving his hands into his hair, catching on his ponytail and loosening it.

‟Nah.”

Sakumo twitched; he hadn’t actually realised Dan was nearby until he spoke.

‟We’ve seen you do much stupider things.” Kohari said helpfully as Dan rubbed the back of his neck.

Sakumo whined.

‟Look,” Dan said gently, ‟you were kind of a mess, but it wasn’t that bad. You didn’t say anything rude, you just, uh. . .”

‟Made it stunningly obvious how much of a crush you have on him.” Kohari filled in. ‟Honestly he looked more surprised than anything else.”

Sakumo folded his arms over his head, unable to get the image of wide, gorgeous golden eyes out of his mind.

‟Of course, if you avoid him after this. . .” Dan began, and Sakumo winced; he didn’t want to, but perhaps he should, given how he had-

‟What?” Sakumo shoved himself upright, barely noticing the pull from Kohari’s fingers still caught in his fringe.

Dan shrugged. ‟If you avoid him, well, he doesn’t really know you . . . and people have fucked with him like that before. Tsunade has a rant.” he added softly, shaking his head.

Sakumo swallowed. He couldn’t- He drew a deep breath.

‟Go on.” Kohari said gently. ‟Maybe start with apologising for running away before he could speak, eh?”

Chapter 792: Serpent's Embrace

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

‟Hm. . .” Orochimaru kissed the inside of Sakumo’s forearm, and he smiled, allowing his mate to draw his arm closer, elegant fingers trailing upwards.

A tug high on his sleeve made him laugh, but he obligingly leaned away and stripped his shirt off over his head, letting it fall to the boards of the engawa. Orochimaru reclaimed his wrist immediately, returning to his caresses with a full palm sliding over Sakumo’s skin this time.

Sakumo didn’t have to look to know the trail Orochimaru was following, arching along his bicep, looping up over his shoulder and then down onto his back.

‟My lovely serpent.” Sakumo said softly, and Orochimaru murmured a response, pressing a kiss to Sakumo’s nape, just above where he knew there was another loop of the great, shimmery white and pale purple serpent that coiled around much of his upper body.

‟Sappy wolf.” Orochimaru said against his neck, and Sakumo grinned; well and truly, and he held no shame for it. Orochimaru chuckled, as though he’d heard the thought, and slid closer, wrapping his arms around Sakumo’s waist and leaning against his back.

Notes:

While not explicitly stated, the serpent is intended to be a soulmark, not a tattoo. ;)

Notes:

Come say hello or chat fandom and SakuOro (and other OTPs) with me on Dreamwidth, Pillowfort, or Tumblr!

Works inspired by this one: