Actions

Work Header

Movement

Summary:

"I'm talking about heirs, your Highness - you've been married six deca-pheobs now. Are you incompatible with the Black Paladin?"

Notes:

First time sharing something like this and hopefully people like it. I'm following the rule of 'if you want to read something and it's not there, you write it yourself'. So here we are.

This story is connected to another I'm in the process of planning still and hints of the prequel are present throughout this story.

Chapter Text

Keith and Allura had to be hearing things - surely they were.

Sitting at the head of the table, they exchanged a quick glance then stared at the bird-like alien, who resembled a blue peacock from Earth but sported a huge crest like a cockatiel to the left of them. He was an Ikzul and wore very little clothing compared to the other four leaders present around the long table. His scaly hands drummed on the elegant tabletop as if counting the ticks for them to respond. He had golden bangles around his wrists that jingled with the motion.

A brown flat-headed alien garbed in a white toga - a Barbuda - beside him looked equally as stunned at the question the Ikzul had asked. His wide eyes flicking between the Queen and Prince Consort and the leader of the Ikzul. The other leaders consisting of a corgi-looking alien, one who highly resembled a llama and a two-headed bipedal eel had questioning and confused looks on their faces.

“Apologies I’ik,” Allura started, brow pinching slightly, Keith’s expression was far more showing of his disapproval in comparison, “can you repeat that? I’m afraid I may have misheard you.” Unbeknownst to the others in the room, Allura shifted her foot to nudge Keith’s, her toe catching the heavy boot closest to her.

He briefly glanced at her and his shoulders relaxed under his Galra-styled attire. It was not quite full body armour but it provided more than enough protection to his vitals. It was Galran in colour; dark purples and blue but dashes of gold and white implied his Altean connection, and it allowed him movement akin to that of his Blade of Marmora suit. Adorning his shoulders were the blue sashes of his commander ranking in the Blade of Marmora. Allura herself wore a form-fitting dress in the Altean colours of gold and white with dashes of blue and purple that lightly brushed the tops of her footwear. She had specifically requested a little more blue and purple than usual to signify her connection with the Galra. Her sleeves were connected by a thin strip of fabric exposing the brown skin of her shoulders and covered a small portion of her upper arms. Her crown glittered in the light filtering through the large windows of the room and her long white hair was braided over one shoulder. Keith’s was tied back in a low dark ponytail.

“Why do you not have any heirs? You’ve been married for six deca-pheobs now, my Queen. Normally two or three offspring would be born by then.” I’ik rubbed his beak, blue feathers ruffling with the motion as he muttered, “Or twelve in my species...”

Krolia, who was actually sitting beside her son, slowly stood up, her eyes narrowed, “May I remind you all that we are here to discuss the distribution of food from your planets to those who are in need, and not the fertility of my son and daughter-in-law?”

“But-”

Keith stood up, hands flat on the table, “We’re in meetings every varga of every quintant of every movement. And if it’s not a meeting, it’s a mission. We cannot allocate time we don’t have with raising a child who will continue our efforts with peace. It won’t be fair on them at all.”

In actuality, they hadn’t spoken of children since getting married. They’d been roped into meeting after meeting after mission, all of which were used to try and gain favours with the royal couple. Prior their marriage though, Allura had stated she was on a form of birth control because it was too soon to bear offspring and Keith agreed with her.

I’ik bristled, the crest on his head rising up with his temper, “So it’s our fault? The fault of those in need?”

Keith sighed, “That’s not what I’m-”

“When was the last time you actually lay together?”

The Prince Consort inhaled and exhaled slowly, temper slowly bubbling, “That part of our lives has nothing to do with anyone in this room.”

“So it’s been a while then…” I’ik looked at Allura, bowing, “My Queen, I wish to offer myself for a new marriage proposal. You have seen the technology my people can provide and combined with Altean tech we will be an unstoppable force of peace throughout the universe.” His head rose to look her dead in the eye, “I can not only satisfy you technologically but also sexually as well. I can also gift you as many offspring as you desire to continue your work with peace.”

The sharp sound of keratin scraping against metal made everyone jump and stare at Keith, who had grown claws and was curling his hands into fists, slit pupils glaring at I’ik.

Understanding her husband’s anger, Allura slowly stood, “What my husband means is when the both of us are not required to sit in meetings is when we can consider children. One of us will always be available to take care of the child that way.”

“If you are compatible,” I’ik remarked, shrugging and standing tall, “And I assure you I am more than capable of giving you many, many heirs-”

Krolia glared, “I think it’s in our best intentions to hold off on this meeting; clearly the ego of this individual is far more important than the lives of others.” At her words, everyone else in the room nodded and threw I’ik dangerous looks. I’ik however, did not falter in his stance, crest high and body radiating confidence.

“If the Ikzul and Altean join together, the problems the less fortunate face will be remedied in mere pheobs,” I’ik said, “as opposed to the nine years of fusing with Galran technology.”

Keith’s fists slammed into the table, denting it, “Then why don’t you share this amazing technology with us instead of keeping it to yourselves?! Everyone else is contributing to the cause with their knowledge, except you.” His anger was causing his sclerae to yellow and he pointed an accusatory clawed finger at the Ikzul leader, “You’re hiding something and I wonder if your technology isn’t what you say it is. You show Allura but time it when others need to speak to me. I haven’t seen it and I’m beginning to believe it’s something I’d recognise as belonging to someone else.” At this I’ik just glared, huffing loudly.

Allura gave him a look, imploring him to calm down but she did not touch him, “Keith…”

His eyes refused to move from the vibrant ones of the Ikzul’s, “Is the meeting adjourned?” He needed to leave before he snapped. He watched his wife in his peripheral look at everyone else in the room nodding their heads before he pushed off the table, shifting the entire bulk of it a few feet in the process, and stormed out of the room.

I’ik scoffed and faced Allura, not at all reacting to the mighty doors of the meeting room banging shut, “May I inquire as to why he must join every meeting you have with us? He was not brought up in the right environment to deal with treaties and lead people like you have-” He squawked in alarum when Krolia suddenly rounded the table and had to be physically stopped by Allura from getting to him.

Allura turned her head to look her mother-in-law in the eye then back at the Ikzul, “My husband has every right as I do to attend these meetings. He is the leader of Voltron, Prince of the Galtean Empire-”

“-and the commander of the Blades,” Krolia finished, lip curling into a snarl. “My son works hard with what he does-”

“But does it show? What has he accomplished? The Emperor of the Galra was killed by his own son and our beloved Queen defeated the witch.” Feathered arms folded smugly, “The Prince Consort - sorry, Black Paladin, has done nothing noteworthy in my books. He has no place here.”

Allura opened her mouth to speak but quiet murmurs from the other leaders had her pause and glance at them.

“And you do?” Gurgled the two-headed eel alien named Vu’rv, the apparatus around their necks bubbled as they spoke as one. Their outfit resembled an old-fashioned padded diving suit from the neck down and I’ik turned to face the Elisk, looking surprised at the question. “Prince Keith has done so much to help our people we cannot even begin to thank him.”

The Barbudan, Xarcuvio, nodded, “Three pheobs ago he rushed out in his lion to help us when tectonic activity escalated to dangerous levels.” Allura remembered that time, joining the other paladins to help vent trapped steam under the planet’s surface before the crust exploded. “He stayed to aid us rebuild our homes and shared technology to prevent the build up of steam like that again.”

Keith had stayed away for two movements making sure the Barbudans were safe and happy with their understanding before he returned home. She was in a meeting when he landed and found him curled up on their bed fast asleep when she went to find him. Allura had hoped to spend some quality time with him but an emergency meeting was called regarding a treaty between two warring planets and it took many, many varga to even come close to an agreement. They only stopped when tiredness was causing the leaders to drift off in their seats.

“My people, the Kroat, were on the verge of collapse. I, chief Papcha, had never seen a drought as severe as that in all of my life. It had wiped out all of our crops and the heat made our tools unusable. We could not construct anything.” The aged face of the llama-like chief crinkled with a smile, “Galran technology is remarkable at keeping places cool and our population has boomed thanks to the Prince.”

More stories were recited about what Keith did for them and I’ik’s posture slowly deflated more and more until he fell back into his chair. He clearly was not expecting the other leaders to jump to the defence of the Prince and it showed on his face.

The corgi-looking alien called Hoosh perched herself higher on her chair to glance at the disbelieving Ikzul, “And what of you I’ik? What have you achieved?”

At his name the Ikzul looked up at her and pushed himself onto his feet, “Technology that will solve everyone’s problems in the universe.”

“So you claim,” the Girock shrugged, “but you have not shown anyone else in this room aside from Her Royal Highness.” Her attention shifted to Allura, ears pert and tiny tail standing upright, “My Queen, can you share the information you have been shown?”

Keith needed her and Allura fought down the urge to just leave the room and seek him out. Diplomacy won along with knowing he needed to calm down first and her head shook, “I’m afraid I cannot - the language is unfamiliar to me.”

“Because it is in Ikzul.”

“But surely you’d translate it for anyone to read? Especially if you’re trying to-”

I’ik’s fist slammed into the table, “It would take pheobs to translate and that is time we do not have. We would need to alter how our processors react to the language as well.”

Hoosh’s huge eyes narrowed, “But you said it has been nine deca-pheobs since the end of the war. What exactly have you been doing with that time if you cannot translate it?”

“Refining it.”

Krolia glanced down at Allura, “Perhaps you can get the short one - Katie, over to inspect his technology?”

I’ik scoffed and shook his head, “No one can look this over, it’s far too complex for anyone to comprehend.”

At this Allura let herself smile, “You clearly have not met Katie Holt-McClain then.” The Ikzul shook his head again, looking smug like he wasn’t missing anything. Allura let her own head tilt just slightly, “She is the Green Paladin. The one who could single-handedly hack anything and write programs for any technology. If you believe no one can process your information, you can provide us a copy to send to her and if she cannot crack it, then we will contact Slav.”

I’ik took a moment to mull this over and brought out a datapad from a satchell on the table. A few taps on his screen and a ping from Allura’s own indicated he had sent her a copy. He turned to her, “You’ll be wasting her time and this Slav’s as well. If she cannot make sense of it, there is no point to pursue.”

The smile Allura gave him radiated confidence in her friend’s incredible skill, “I assure you she will crack it and in record time as well.” I’ik’s head shook, disbelieving and he bowed before picking up his bag and leaving the room.

“Oh, and how is the Green Paladin? Is she still married to the Red Paladin?” Papcha started, rustling his thin cotton clothing that hung off him like a pair of curtains, “How long has it been now?”

Allura beamed, “Almost five deca-pheobs, and the last I spoke to her she said they were expecting another child.” Her hands clasped together in glee, “This will be their third.”

When Pidge and Lance announced the news of their twins four years ago Allura was beyond surprised but Keith wasn’t. He smirked and said they didn’t waste any time after getting hitched and held his hand out for Shiro to cough up a twenty. Pidge proceeded to throw a cushion at her friends, face beet red. Ordinarily she would have dashed - no, more like waddled over and kicked him but Lance was hugging her and she could not move.

Allura’s surprise was actually from how far Pidge was along before telling everyone. Apparently, because the Green Paladin spent so long with a large lab coat hanging off her, not even people at the Garrison knew. Both her parents and Lance’s knew but were asked to keep it a secret until they told the others and, four months later, Lance made everyone sit before he slowly led his pregnant wife into the private lounge of Arus’ castle. Pidge was embarrassed, Lance was a very proud father and Matt was sandwiched between an overjoyed Coran and Hunk.

Human pregnancies lasted roughly nine months as Allura had learnt from Pidge and she found it fascinating with how close Altean pregnancies were to that length of time - ten pheobs. It was even more astounding watching doctors rush around to help alleviate the pain when Pidge went into labour by putting a disturbingly large needle into her lower spine. Pidge was squeezing Allura’s hand but the Altean didn’t feel any pain from it, Colleen meanwhile winced now and then at the strength she didn’t know her daughter possessed. Lance was pacing outside being calmed down by Keith and Shiro and burst into the room an hour later when two healthy boys, Luis and Marco, were nestled into the bosom of their mother.

Marco was the spitting image of his father but had Katie’s eyes and hair colour and Luis’ resemblance to his uncle Matt nearly gave everyone whiplash at their doubletake. Lance made sure everyone knew about how his boys were doing and sent regular photos to whoever was in his contacts. Most of the images were selfies where he was sat next to Katie and each had a son in their lap all smiling at the camera. They were three now and apparently so eager to meet their new sister they decided to call her Sofia because it was a pretty name for a pretty girl. Lance wasn’t very clear in his mass messaging and Keith surmised the proud father was a blubbering mess.

The Kroat’s eyes widened dramatically and he sputtered, “That is truly glorious news! I shall have something delivered to them for the child’s birth.” He shakily stood up then paused, “What is it that humans prefer for their offspring? And how long do they take? I do not wish to be late getting the gift to them…” He seemed to be talking to himself as he shakily clopped his way to the main doors.

Allura watched him leave then turned to bow respectfully to the remaining leaders, “As much as I wish to stay and share more about my dear friends, I must seek out my husband…”

Hoosh raised her paw, her lips pulling up into the canine equivalent of a smile and her tail was wagging a mile a minute, “Do not apologise. We can resume tomorrow or the quintant after.”

“And tell your husband that all is well; his anger is understood and shared.” Vu’rv bubbled, both mouths becoming crooked grins, “We hope a lesson has been learnt by the inexperienced fledgling along with the concept of holding one’s tongue, but we shall know another quintant.”

Allura returned the smile gratefully, bowed again and took her leave with Krolia.

-

Keith was well aware that his wife would be unable to pursue him immediately and he considered that a blessing with his need to calm down to think more clearly. Kosmo looked down at him from where he was curled around his master, highly aware of the distress the half-Galra had been in.

Kosmo was huge now, easily towering over Keith and Hunk remarked that the space wolf could be used as a mount. The space wolf however did not approve of that suggestion and stole Hunk’s food, teleporting away before anyone could react. His increased size however meant that Keith could recline into his side - like he was right now - and not cause the wolf any discomfort.

They were sat in the training room where Keith normally resorted to going when he needed to vent his frustrations. He hadn’t expected to see Kosmo chewing on a training staff and the need to get the heavily dented stick from the wolf easily made Keith forget about what I’ik had suggested to his wife. The game of chase became a tug of war and then Kosmo squashed him before they ended up sitting on the floor.

I’ik’s remark about it being a while since Keith had lain with his wife punched him hard in the gut. But it wasn’t just meetings and missions that caused this rift to happen between them. Before he turned twenty-five they shared themselves with each other almost every other quintant and then his Galra genes kicked in.

Before then his appearance hadn’t changed much at all where his jaw had squared slightly and his mother remarked that he reminded her of his father. His hair had grown to just below his shoulders but still retaining the mullet and he kept it tied back in a low ponytail or braided if he went on a mission.

Four years ago it started with a scratchy throat and he assumed he had come down with something. It persisted for a few pheobs and it wasn’t until Allura greeted him one morning at breakfast that he realised his genetics had altered his voice box. He chuffed at her, a noise he had no idea he could produce until now, and his mother, who was also at breakfast with them, had laughed loudly. She told him her father could make the noise and it seemed to have skipped a generation. Shortly after his canines had grown a little longer but no one noticed unless someone was actively looking. Allura did though and discovered they were sharp when she pricked her tongue on a fang in the middle of a heavy makeout session.

A growth spurt made him a full head taller than his wife and Allura remarked that she hated having to tilt her head to look him in the eyes. She had become used to it by now and he rather liked how she had to get onto her tiptoes to kiss him. Part of him missed the amusement he got from the scowl on her face for the first few pheobs of his growth spurt but at the same time he was grateful of her accepting of his changes.

Or he was until it affected his manhood. It started two years ago and when he noticed the beginnings of slightly thicker skin in select places along the top of his shaft he almost panicked, fearing that it was some sort of disease. He never told anyone about it and outright refused to be naked in front of his wife when he discovered the thicker patches were the outer curve of ridges that flared up when he was aroused or sporting morning wood. She had mentioned he resembled an Altean male before his genetics caused this change and that naturally brought up the question of how many Altean dicks she had seen. She’d laughed and explained the embarrassing footage she had to watch when she was of age about the act of mating. She’d never seen one in real life until their first time but really enjoyed looking at and touching his.

It was a fear of rejection that made him withdraw sexually from Allura, and accompanied with the number of meetings they had to sit through he couldn’t even speak to her about it when Krolia explained it was a Galra puberty he was experiencing, and that he needed to be honest with his wife. Keith knew Allura must feel like she wasn’t appealing to him anymore and he felt horrendous about it. She was his wife and he loved her dearly. He loved being with her, he loved pleasing her and loved conversing with her. Lately though they’d done hardly anything except sleep beside the other and when one woke up, the other was already in a meeting.

Kosmo suddenly teleported away and Keith’s head smacked against the hard floor. He swore loudly and sat himself up, raising a hand up to nurse the sore spot. His eyes glanced around the room, expecting his space wolf to be in a playful mood again but he spotted Allura and his mother in the doorway.

Sighing, he stood up, forcing himself to look his wife in the eye despite the feeling of guilt and shame wanting to avert his gaze to the floor, “I’m sorry.”

Allura shook her head, “Don’t be. It’s not your fault.” She stepped closer, stopping just short of him, “I’ik has been doing this for two deca-pheobs now. We should have expected him to try what he did today.”

Even when Keith and Allura had started dating nine years ago, I’ik had shown interest in Allura. His attendings were sparse but when he was around Allura took an instant disliking to him and his constant need to show off. He was classed as a fledgling in his tribe but he was a young leader and everyone in the meeting room hoped he would grow out of it.

He didn’t.

When they announced their marriage to a room full of diplomats and leaders, I’ik was the only one who did not congratulate them. Fast-forward to two years ago he started making passes at Allura that did not go unnoticed by Keith. It started as one every pheob, then once a movement and just recently once every opportunity he opened his stupid beak. Today had been the worst when he questioned their sex-life.

“I should not have done what I did though…” He looked away, worried he may have startled and scared the leaders. It had happened before a couple of times when his anger got the better of him losing patience with a petty argument between diplomats. Luckily for him though those he had frightened were convinced by his wife that working with the Galtean Empire was in their best interests. “What happened after I left?”

He felt his wife look at his profile and she stepped closer, “The other leaders stood up for you when I’ik questioned why you were present to every meeting. And...” Allura glanced back at Krolia, arms folded, “your mother almost gutted him.”

Keith’s head snapped up and he just stared at his mother in surprise. A small amused smirk crossed his face and he chuckled, “‘Almost’?”

Krolia shrugged, “For some reason your wife prevented me.”

Allura turned to face her mother-in-law, “It would not help relations with the other leaders if someone was disposed of in the meeting room.” She frowned and Keith heard her mutter, “No matter how much they deserve it.” Directing her gaze back to her husband she smiled, “No one thinks ill of you; they understand why you got angry and share it. I’ik should know better the next time we are in a meeting with him.”

Keith’s smiled and he couldn’t help but chuff and lean forward to nuzzle Allura. His wife squeaked a little in surprise and she hummed in response, returning the gesture of affection. A ding from her datapad redirected her attention and she produced it from a pocket in her dress.

“I also convinced him to give me a copy of his technology for Pidge to go through.” She grinned knowingly, reading through a response from said person, “He’s adamant our best won’t crack it.”

Keith moved and looked over Allura’s shoulder at the message as she typed out a reply, “Bird-brain doesn’t know anything.” Without asking, Allura brought up the copy I’ik had sent to her and Keith’s nose wrinkled at what he saw, “Yeah, I can’t understand that.”

“Which is why Pidge has agreed to do it,” Allura laughed as another message from Pidge pinged through. “Lance won’t let her do anything and she’s bored.”

Her Prince blinked, “She’s pregnant. It doesn’t make her incapable of doing things...”

Allura shrugged, finishing her message with a ‘Keith says hello’ before sending it, along with the Ikzul tech file, “Lance was like that during their first pregnancy. She may just be doing it to appease him and not have him worry.”

Pidge’s final message confirmed she’d received the file and had a quick glance through to determine what she needed to do. It would take her at least a quintant to decipher whatever it was I’ik had designed, maybe more as she had developed horrendous morning sickness in the past week.

“In all fairness, she was carrying two last time.” Keith folded his arms and paused to grimace, “And when are we back in that room with bird-brain again?” He really didn’t want to see I’ik again today.

“Either tomorrow or the quintant after.” After putting her datapad away, Allura tapped her chin in thought, “We could take tomorrow off and have some time away from meetings. And, if Pidge cracks the language barrier on I’ik’s tech before we see him again the quintant after, we can read through it together.”

Keith’s eyes darted to his mother’s and he frowned briefly at the slight widening of her own. He was going to say something to his wife but his mother’s reaction worried him more; “Mom? What’s wrong?”

Allura instantly turned to look at the woman in question and Krolia shook her head, “I just recalled Kolivan wished to speak to me at the earliest convenience.” She bowed, crossing an arm over her chest, “If you’ll excuse me I will see to him now.”

Allura smiled and nodded, “Of course, but please don’t feel you need to bow to us.”

Krolia straightened and smiled back, “You outrank me, Your Highness.”

A laugh escaped Allura, “I most certainly do not! You’re my mother-in-law!”

Chuckling, Krolia turned and waved before leaving the training room and the tick she vanished Allura turned to face her husband. Keith swallowed thickly, knowing that look and what she wanted right now. Her fingertips brushed his chest before sliding up to press the palm of her hand against his armour. Travelling further, her fingers curled around the front of his collar and without warning tugged him down into a heated kiss.

He had little time to react and with his legs moving to maintain his balance, he ended up dipping Allura, one arm supporting her back and his other hand gripping her raised thigh through the dress. She hummed in approval against his lips and he smirked before devouring her mouth, feeling her fingers grip his neck and shoulder.

What his mother had said before about being honest with Allura came back to him and he pulled away a little, panting, “There’s something I need to tell you.”

“After,” Allura breathed, fingers losing themselves in his hair to tug him back into another kiss. But he needed to tell her before otherwise she may get the shock of a lifetime seeing him again after two years, so he resisted and she frowned at him, “What’s wrong?”

Something he hadn’t done though was think through how exactly to explain his situation to her and he stood them both up, looking away from her with his brow pinched in thought.

He felt her eyes on him and he knew many things were going through her head. Why didn’t he think this part through? He looked at her and licked his lips, opening his mouth, “I-”

There was a flash behind him and two heavy paws slapped down onto Keith’s shoulders followed by a fluffy chin settling itself atop his head. Keith’s knees buckled a little under the weight of Kosmo and he grunted. Allura stared at the sight before her and she giggled, pressing the back of her hand against her mouth to try and stem the full belly laugh she almost gave out.

“Kosmo-” Keith strangled out, trying to turn under the sheer weight of his space wolf. Kosmo grunted at the tone his master gave him, shifted his weight and knocked Keith off balance, squashing him. As he landed, Allura’s datapad dinged and as she walked over, she pulled it from her pocket then groaned loudly in annoyance.

“Whahf?” Keith had heard her even from underneath all that fluff and he was trying to push the lump of a space wolf off of him. Kosmo paid him no mind but did move a little to allow him to breathe.

“I’ik wants another meeting in half a varga.”

Kosmo became confused when Keith stopped trying to push him off. He made a noise and shifted to glance down at the face of his master only to get petted. “No Kosmo, stay.” He didn’t, teleporting away, and Allura couldn’t hide the amused smirk at hearing her husband curse his pet as he spat out fur.

-

Why would I’ik call a meeting so suddenly after the disaster of the last one? Keith wondered. Unless the Ikzul was desperate to try another attempt on convincing his wife to marry him. He growled low in his throat and Allura threw him a curious glance.

“Sorry,” Keith instantly said, fully aware of the short Arusian guards giving him looks as they walked to the meeting room. Allura seemed to know what his mind was thinking and she smiled softly, linking her arm with his.

“I chose you, Keith. You are the man for me.” And with that, she leaned up and kissed his cheek.

Two Arusian guards saluted them and opened the doors where the five leaders sat waiting for them. Allura’s arm fell from Keith’s and he couldn’t stop the blush from tinting his cheeks as he followed her to their seats.

Everyone stood until Allura sat and they all followed suit, hands flat on the tabletop. Keith’s arms wanted to fold and he threw the Ikzul leader a dangerous look, almost daring him to try something. The avian purposely kept his eyes from those of the Prince’s and seemingly decided the table was the most interesting thing in the room.

I’ik sighed and his crest fell flat against his head, making him look sleeker than before, “I am sorry for this meeting so soon after the last one,” he began, “but my council has requested my return tonight.” His eyes flicked up to look at everyone in turn, apart from Keith, “I shall be away for a movement, maybe a quintant more depending on travel and I wish for our food distribution to be settled on so I may relay the information as quickly as possible to my people.”

Hoosh’s fuzzy brow quirked up at this, “Very well.” She made no remark on his sudden shift in behaviour and whilst everyone else was thinking to bring it up, they found it wise to hold their tongues. “My Queen,” she said, ear twitching, “who was it that required our help?”

Allura blinked and met the eyes of the corgi-alien, “The Stellar quadrant of the Subic galaxy. They are situated almost directly between all of your home planets.” She stood up and with a wave of her hand, brought up a large holographic image of the aforementioned sector. Five planets blinked on the image, bringing up zoomed in live-feeds of each planetoid. “They are in a sector almost devoid of stars and the stars that are there emit so much radiation it was difficult to pick up on their distress signal.”

Papcha squinted and leaned forwards, “Was one of them in need of an evacuation?” He pointed with a shaky finger at the planet furthest on the right, “I believe they needed help as their star was stripping away their atmosphere.”

The clearing of a throat directed their attention to I’ik, “That is what I’m being called away for. My council would like to send ships to rescue all of the inhabitants and give them temporary accommodation. They need me to lead the mission and prove myself to them.”

“But it’ll take you a few quintants to get there, there may not be life left in that time.”

“Ikzul technology can get me there in a quintant.”

Keith’s eyes narrowed at this as I’ik was late to arriving on Arus. Three whole days late in fact. Something did not add up and he hoped Pidge would crack the Ikzul’s tech soon. I’ik persisted in avoiding his gaze and Keith just knew he was hiding something. Then it occurred to him that the only other way to get that quickly across the universe was to wormhole, and I’ik’s ship did not have that when Keith and Allura watched him disembark with two other Ikzul.

Those two Ikzul were not in the room and neither were they in earlier. The other leaders had two escorts situated by the walls behind their respective leader. They were taking notes. I’ik had no one and Keith’s blood suddenly ran cold.

In an instant, he stood up and, ignoring the expectant looks the others were giving him, he gently grabbed his wife’s elbow and stepped closer, inclining his head to whisper into her ear, “Escorts.”

He felt Allura tense up immediately and he knew she was looking at each pair in turn until she got to I’ik. She shifted and her breath against his skin made him shudder, “Find them.” He nodded and released her to bow, crossing his arm over his chest, at the leaders in the room.

“Apologies; I am needed elsewhere.” When his head came back up only I’ik was visibly annoyed at his leaving. Hoosh smiled, Papcha waved him off, inspecting the holographic map some more and Vu’rv threw Keith knowing looks and the Prince nearly, nearly choked on the implication behind those glances. Xarcuvio nodded, seemingly realising what Keith had noticed.

He took his leave quickly, pushing through the door and surprising the Arusians guarding it. “Unless the Queen - sorry, Lion Goddess, states otherwise, no one is to leave that room.” Confusion was on the tiny faces of the guards but they nodded, crossing an arm over their chests to signify their understanding of the order.