Actions

Work Header

The Fall of 1-A

Summary:

Tenya always sung the praises of his brother and his heroics, but would never admit to feeling inferior.
It wasn’t that Tensei was better -- which he was -- it was that he could never hope to achieve what his older brother has. He knew this. Tensei was one spot away from being in the top 15, was in the top twenty, and showed no signs of stopping until he was at least top 5. Everyone loved Tensei and his heroism, and while they were on the sidelines, they ignored the younger Iida.

Notes:

Chapter 1: Iida Tenya

Chapter Text

Tenya always sung the praises of his brother and his heroics, but would never admit to feeling inferior.


It wasn’t that Tensei was better -- which he was -- it was that he could never hope to achieve what his older brother has. He knew this. Tensei was one spot away from being in the top 15, was in the top twenty, and showed no signs of stopping until he was at least top 5. Everyone loved Tensei and his heroism, and while they were on the sidelines, they ignored the younger Iida.


Even their parents, which was why he was closer with Tensei than them. When Tensei had moved out, their parents seemed to have forgotten that they had a second son for weeks on end. It wasn’t so hard when they lived in a mansion which they left on business trips more often than they actually lived in their house. So as Tenya grew, he relied on himself, and himself only. Well, maybe not only himself.


There was always Stendhal. The first time he met Stendhal, his Sensei had come looking for something and hadn’t realized that the Iida family would leave their six-year-old home while they were gone for a month and a half. Sensei had offered to take him with him, and had even expressed more concern when Tenya told him that he was used to being left alone. Tenya had convinced him that staying at the mansion would be better, so Stendal had taken it upon himself to stay that month and a half to help teach Tenya how to make something other than defrosted chicken nuggets and how to wash his clothes and how to hold a knife if someone ever comes after him and even what to do with the growing pile of bills in the mailbox. In turn, Tenya gave him a copy of the key to the back entrance, and the password to his parents’ computers, and showed Stendhal where the copy-room was so that no-one knew he stole the papers he had come here for.


When it was time for Stendhal to leave, he had given Tenya his number for when his parents left him again, and told him that if anyone saw them together, to call him “Stain”. Tenya didn’t know why he wanted that, but he wouldn’t mind. It was like Tensei being called “Ingenium” whenever he had the armour on. He would also call.


And call he did. By the time he was ten, his parents had started taking trips so long that he could comfortably say that he spent more time with Sensei than the people masquerading as proud parents. Stendhal had come to more of his debate team matches than his parents. Some of the kids thought Stendhal was his father! He was quickly able to convince them that he was actually his uncle, on the non-Iida side. Still, Stendhal felt more like family than his parents.


But Tensei was always a wild-card. He felt like family still, and would sometimes take time off of his hero duties in order to spend time with Tenya. As much as Tenya appreciated it, and acted like it was the greatest gift he could ask for, he was sort of annoyed by it. He would always have to hide Stendhal quickly and he just wanted Tensei to go back to his adoring masses so he could get back to training with Sensei.


It was at age 12 when Tenya realized that he really was better than the rest of the Iida family, just like Sensei said. He realized they were all fake heroes, just like Sensei said, who were just after the glory or the sidekicks or the money. Or all of the above. When he had told Stendhal what he planned to do about it, he supported him, like he always does. It was more training, a better education than the Iida family would bother to provide, and was an in for Stendhal. It was telling his supposed family that was going to be interesting.


The day after his mother and father arrived back from a two month trip and a week before they were about to leave for another, they all had dinner together, Tensei included. As per usual, Tensei was the light of their eye, hearing his stories of monetized heroism. It was when Tensei paused to take a sip of his soba that Tenya spoke up.


“I want to take the entrance exam for UA.” Tenya said, the first thing he’s said to his parents in months.


His father nearly choked on his food, but his mother was able to keep her composure. “Tenya, baby, I thought you wanted to go to the same school as the rest of your debate team.”


Tenya was barely able to keep himself from gritting his teeth. “I haven’t been on the debate team for two years, mom.”


By this time, his father had forced his soba down. “Well, you’ll have to train, son, and I don’t think you’re ready for that kind of --”


“Just because you’re not around to see it, doesn’t mean it isn’t happening.” Tenya interrupted, taking a sip of his orange juice. “If you were around, you would see that I’ve been training and studying for years, and you haven’t seen it.” He turned towards Tensei, who had a clear look of shock on his face. “We’re sparring after dinner.” He notified his older brother, not leaving any room for argument. He raised from his seat with his empty plate and glass and put it in the dishwasher, not looking back at his family’s shocked faces. Tenya went up to his room to change into his training clothes -- the clothes that Stendhal had gotten him on his birthday, on just another day his parents spent out in the world without him.


He then ran to the training grounds to warm up, going through the motions that Stendhal had taught him, excluding the blade exercises. It felt like forever until the other members of the Iida family arrived. Tensei walked into position in his own training-wear on the other side of the field while their parents, of course, seated themselves on Tensei’s side of the ring.


“You know, Tenya, you don’t have to do this just to prove you’ve trained. I know you’ve trained, and I know you have the potential to get into UA with flying colors.” Tensei said diplomatically, an awkward but somehow still proud smile gracing his face.


Tenya’s frown deepened, knowing that Tensei was trying to get him to back out. “This doesn’t have everything to do with that. There are other things that I’m going to prove by beating you.”


Tensei looked shocked only for a moment until he looked quite serious. “Tenya, I’ve been a hero for years now. Like I said, I know you’ve been training, but if I were you I wouldn’t get it in my head that I’m going to win.”


Instead of responding, Tenya activated the countdown to the start of the match, large red numbers on the clock behind their parents moving way too slow. When the start of the match sounded, the Iida brothers launched at each other, engines roaring. Tensei went to punch Tenya, to end it quickly, but if Tenya went down because of a simple punch, he would have disappointed himself and Stain-sensei. He wrapped his arms around Tensei’s arm and lifted his legs, throwing them around the back of Tensei’s head and pulling his legs back, pulling the older down and to the ground. While Tensei landed face-first, Tenya landed on hi feet and turned back to his brother as he got up, a knee on the ground. Tenya ran and launched himself on Tensei’s leg, kneeing his brother in the throat. They landed, Tensei splayed on his back with Tenya’s leg on his throat. At first, Tenya thought of letting Tensei go, but decided to show off what Stendhal taught him. He unleashed his engines, creating way more pressure on Tensei’s neck than what he might consider safe. Tenya couldn’t hear anything but the rushing of blood behind his ears before he heard Tensei roar his name.


Tenya stopped and got up, watching Tensei get up from his position on the floor, rubbing his neck. Their gazes met each other and held before Tenya turned away. “Looks like I was right, brother.” He walked away from them all, just wanting to take a bath. When he went into the bathroom, however, he heard his cell-phone ring.


He answered. “Hello?”


“I have a bit of an offer for you, my Speedster.” Stendhal’s voice entered his ear, calming his tense muscles. “I think, when your parents go away again, that you should start following me on the field. I’ve told you how I eliminate fake heroes, but I think you should see it, get used to it.”


Tenya paused, but answered all the same. “Alright.” Then he sighed. “I beat Tensei.”


He heard Stendhal start. “What?”


“I lost my patience, and I challenged him to a fight. Sensei, I beat him.” Tenya replied, smiling even though he knew his Sensei couldn’t see him.


Stain chuckled on his side of the line, looking at Tensei’s place on his list, knowing it would be another two years until he got to Tensei. Another two years to train Tenya to go after him, though apparently that wouldn’t be needed. “Very good, Speedster. You’re progressing very well. Maybe instead of just having you follow me, I’ll have you help me in my important work.”


“Really?” He heard the kid get excited.


“Really. Now go on and do whatever it is you were doing before someone overhears you, my dear student.” With that, Stain hung up and broke out into a wide smile, eyes running over the images on his wall of heroes, all of whom deserved to die.