Actions

Work Header

I'm Sorry That I Pulled You Into A Different Dimension.

Summary:

Hermione just wanted evidence for her research, she didn't mean to pull her friend into a different dimension, but helping some dwarves and then getting thrown into cells wasn't her idea. But nothing quite works out for them, noisy dwarves and offensively attractive elves for Hermione and Lovell to work their way around if they ever want to get back home.

ALL CHAPTERS NOW EDITED.
ENJOY.

Notes:

Now having a re-write.

Chapter 1: Books and Portals.

Notes:

EDITED 07/04/2020

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Lovell Thomas had always been told that she was a good friend, she was always kind and reliable. Someone anyone would feel comfortable around, come to for advice and a chat, even during her busy work hours her door was open for everyone. But right now, she wasn’t feeling so charitable or kind, not when it was her first day off in what seemed like months and here she was, in a dusty little library somewhere off the coast of France, looking for some book that she didn’t even need! It was a book that Hermione needed, and in her humble opinion, it should have been Hermione looking for this book, not her, because she hadn’t the foggiest idea what the book was even needed for and with a frustrated sigh, she put another book back where it belonged.

She jumped in shock when a familiar voice came from behind her, “You haven’t found it yet then?” speak of the Devil and she would appear, Lovell turned her head and saw Hermione standing awkwardly between two bookcases, twidling her thumbs and a guilty look in her eyes. Something that made Lovell feel instantly suspicious, there was always something wrong when Hermione looked like that, she was either up to something or something had happened and it was not a good thing.

“Have you found it?”

Hermione walked forward to help Lovell down from her ladder, “I can’t explain here, but I will once we’ve gotten home, there’s something I think I should tell you.”

Lovell didn’t have a chance to speak, with a firm grip on her arm Hermione had apparated them back to their shared flat in Diagon Alley. She was concerned with the way Hermione was acting, jumpy and looking over her shoulder as though she was worried someone was following them, this was amplified with Hermione setting wards over their flat.

“Right, you haven’t been home for a while have you, Lovell? You will excuse the mess won’t you?”

But Lovell’s focus was on something else, something rather large and terrifying in their living room. It took up almost all of the space, and Lovell wasn’t even aware that she had grabbed hold of Hermione until they were standing outside of their front door. Her chest heaved as her thoughts swirled around inside of her head, so many questions and something inside of her told her Hermione wouldn't mince her words and she wasn't going to like what she heard.

“What and I can’t stress this enough, the fuck was that?!”

Hermione rushed the placate her friend, hands rubbing her shoulders and down her arms, “The book I was looking for is something Kingsley asked me to look into, and when I opened the book that happened. I don't really know what it is."

"And what exactly were you looking for? Something dangerous? I thought you had given up on your talent for finding danger?” Lovell was horrified to find her eyes had begun tearing up, she wasn’t having it, no friend of hers was going to get themselves into even more danger. Not after Hermione went missing for a year, no contact and nothing to let her know that she was safe.

“I was asked to look into the possibility of magic in other worlds, dimensions and so forth. You’re the only person I can trust with this and I was hoping you would come with me?”

Lovell looked at Hermione as though she was crazy, “I’m not going into that portal with you! What if we were to die or worse, not be able to come back?” She threw herself back through the front door, stopping behind the couch to point at the portal, “I have to come back, Hermione!” The portal pulsated in an odd sort of way, drawing both of their attention to it, as though it were trying to tease them and Lovell was even more freaked out by it.

“Oh, Lovell, I wouldn’t be asking you if I didn’t think we’d be able to come back. I’m not stupid.”

“Of course you’re not stupid, you’re completely out of your mind!”

Hermione walked forward and grasped Lovell’s hands, “Please Lovell, please. I only ask because you’re my friend and I’m scared of going by myself.” She ran her hand up and down Lovell’s back, trying to calm her, she hoped that it worked because she was not going by herself, it had taken her weeks to convince Kingsley to let her bring Lovell along and let him know that she would not be going anywhere without some backup.

“I just need to go in, see if there’s any magic in that area and then we can come back!”

Lovell bent forward, crossing her arms to lay her head on the, her eyes were shut but even that didn’t stop her from imagining Hermione’s face, pouting and this was something she seemed to really want to do. Would she be able to live with herself if Hermione got hurt? Pros were, they could come straight back but the cons were they could die and it might be a terrible, painful death.

“Let me pack my bag.”

Hermione squealed loudly, arms wrapping around Lovell’s bent form, “Oh! Thank you, Lovell, honestly, I won’t let you down!”

“HA! Like I’ve not heard that before, don’t forget to put everything in that lovely bag of yours, you’re making me come with you. So you can carry our things.”

They packed everything they knew they would need, extra clothing, hygiene products, so many hygiene products, Lovell had no idea where they might end up, so there were so many that Hermione rolled her eyes at her. And of course, the most important thing of all was the tent. If there was anything Lovell truly enjoyed, it was the tent Hermione had charmed, it was like a real house! It truly fascinated her, how powerful Hermione’s magic truly was and how adept she was at using it.

“Right, clothes, underwear anything else?”

Hermione pulled the bag away from Lovell, “Nothing, you’ve packed everything you need and more! More than you probably need and we won’t be there for long.”

Lovell made sure to look around, to double-check and she shuffled around the portal towards the couch, grabbing onto a large knitted blanket, “Your mother gave this to you, maybe we should bring it alone.” There was no chance for Hermione to speak up because it had already been folded up over Lovell’s arm, before shuffling back towards Hermione to put it inside of her bag, so thankful she was, for Hermione’s undetectable extension charm, it was the main reason she had packed so much, it was better to be prepared than it was to be without things that they might need at any time.

 

“Okay, I have everything, so do you.”

Hermione smiled, lacing her fingers through Lovell’s, “Okay, let’s go.” Lovell nodded her head, it was going to be a quick in and out, and she would never forgive herself if something were to happen to Hermione and she might have been able to help. She took one last look around the flat before Hermione pulled her into the portal. There was no going back now, she truly hoped Hermione and right and it was a quick in and out.

Notes:

My Hermione fan cast
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/567805465502860383/
My Lovell fan cast
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/725924033675069137/

Chapter 2: Dark Forest

Notes:

Edited 07/04/2020 because its isolation and this will be done quickly haaha

Chapter Text

They ended up walking out into a forest of some sort, it looked like every other forest you would see, large trees, dirt ground with barely any grass, but it wasn’t that what caused them to stop. It was the feeling they got when they stepped out, they couldn’t see the sky and it caused dark shadows to dance across their faces and the trees themselves. Hermione took a deep breath, but even that was difficult.

“Hermione, this doesn’t feel right.”

The air itself felt suffocating, they were both quick to pull out their wands. Whatever it was that was doing this, it meant they weren’t alone here. Hermione shrunk her bag even smaller, placing it inside of her bra, safekeeping and no eyes would find it there. Or hands, Merlin help anyone that tried to put their hands anywhere they didn’t belong.

“We should walk, there might be a village or people around that can help.”

So they began walking, Lovell thanked Merlin that she hadn’t let Hermione come here alone, who knows what could happen to her if she’d been all alone. A target is what she would have been, a lone woman walking around a dark and creepy forest that might have something as equally creeping residing inside of it? No thanks.

They walked for a while, maybe two or three hours before they realised there was no way anyone lived in this place, it was dark and they had seen no signs of animals or water. There were no birds singing, nothing. Lovell moved closer to Hermione, even the Forbidden Forest had more life than this one and that was a concerning thought in itself. A forest where nothing roamed or seemed to live was unusual and mostly unheard of.

“I think we might have made a mistake.”

Hermione stopped with a sigh, pushing her hair out of her face, she looked around for a few moments, they had no way to telling the time of day, whether it was dark outside of this forest or the middle of the day, but Lovell didn’t understand how it could be too dark to see the sky but not dark enough where they couldn’t see where they were going.

“We’ll stop here for the time being and try to figure something out later, or tomorrow.”

Hermione pulled the small bag out of her bra, tossing it to Lovell, “Find the tent, will you? I’m going to put some wards up, just in case.”

Lovell set about looking for the tent, her arm deep inside of Hermione’s bag while keeping en eye on the woman walking around the edge of where they had decided to stop for the time because Merlin only knows what would happen if she turned her back and something snatched her. She could feel the wards going up, securing them from wandering eyes or anything else that resided in this place. Lovell pulled the tent from the bag, and she went about setting it up, it was small in size but large inside, which made it easier to hide behind the wards. But neither could shake off the feeling that they were being watched, but they tried to push it away from their minds because there was no way anything could see through Hermione’s wards.

“I don’t feel right, we should leave once we’ve rested.”

Hermione was quick to agree, they would eat, rest and they would leave, the chances of being found were slim, but it would be better to keep a low profile. If anything found them, they didn’t want to be caught off guard. Anything could attack them outside of these wards, but Hermione didn’t voice her feeling that, if anything was out there, it might be possible for it to get through.

The hours passed slowly, both women were in and out of sleep, both convinced something knew they were there.

Watching.

Waiting.

Once they both felt rested enough to leave, they did, quickly packing their belongings away and hide any evidence of them having been there. But the feeling didn’t go away, still there, itching in the back of their minds. They hadn’t gotten very far when a strange tiny humanoid creature up in the trees caught Hermione’s attention, it seemed to be cutting down similar-sized white objects from the tress and Hermione was horrified to see they looked almost like coffins, and that the white stuff seemed to be spiderweb.

Hermione pulled Lovell away once the coffin-like objects began to move, ripping open at the front and small, hairy men sat up, ripping the rest of it off of them. Hermione leant down to whisper to Lovell, “I think they might be dwarves.”

“Should we help them?”

Hermione hadn’t the chance to answer, because from the tress the biggest spiders either had ever seen were descending from the trees towards the dwarves and Hermione pushed Lovell to the side and told her to ready herself, there was no way they could leave them alone now not when they have the chance to help them.

“Keep vigilant, we’ll have to help them now.”

Hermione moved quickly, firing spells to keep the spiders away, Lovell had pushed one dwarf out of the way of rather nasty looking pincers, Diffindo!” was a rather nasty spell, as it quickly sliced the spider in half and the shocked dwarf nodded his head in thanks before rejoining the others in battle. Hermione almost gagged when hit with some thick spider’s blood, internally screaming in disgust, but her eye was drawn by a young dwarf being dragged off and away from the group, but there was hardly anything she was able to do as she was thrown towards the group of dwarves. The hit had come out of nowhere, shocking her and as she landed, it was her shoulder that took the brunt of the fall and the piercing pain was all she could focus on, it was either broken or dislocated. The spider had come quickly at her but never made its kill, as an arrow came from seemingly nowhere and killed it.

Lovell grabbed hold of the younger dwarf being dragged off, quickly killing the spider and pulling him from the ground and back towards the group, the fight continued before one of the larger dwarves was set upon by another one of the spiders, but before Lovell would raise her wand before some kind of Malfoy looking man came swinging down the spider’s thread and killing it. He nocked his bow and pointed it at the same dwarf he had just saved.

“Do not think I won’t call you dwarf, it would be my pleasure.”

Lovell had noticed Hermione, laying on the floor clutching her shoulder, pain visible on her face, “Hermione!” she made to move towards her friend, but was intercepted by another figure, “Get out of my fucking way!” Hermione couldn’t say what happened next, but suddenly the figure was kneeling down clutching his stomach, Lovell had kicked him out of her way and Hermione was in too much pain to do anything but lay there like a useless fish.

But another was quick to try and stop her, and Lovell let the reflexes she had been taught by the DoA to take over, and she quickly had him on his knees and her arm around his neck, he tilted his head up, trying to keep from choking. Lovell only tightened her grip when she noticed his eyes looking to her left where a tall, red-haired woman trying to come at her from the side.

“One more step and I’ll snap his neck!”

They were surrounded, completely outnumbered, but a shout caught her attention, Lovell noticed the dwarf she had only just saved was being taken again, and she would have helped him but letting his one go was out of the question and she wasn’t about the leave Hermione vulnerable surrounded and alone. Hermione was her priority. Instead, she focused on everything happening around her, the Dwarves her friend and those surrounding them with weapons.

“Unhand him, now.”

The voice came from a woman, standing behind her and Lovell was many things, but stupid wasn’t one of them and quicker than the woman behind her could see, Lovell had Apperated behind the blonde one with his bow aimed at the dwarf he had saved, to the shocked of everyone there, save for Hermione. Lovell’s grip had tightened even more now, not hiding the fact from anyone around her, she wasn’t messing around.

Hermione managed to sit up, hissing in pain and glanced up at the ones stood closest to her, “She’ll kill him if you don’t back off.” intense blue eyes swung towards her, a dark look on his face and Hermione would have been scared, had she been anyone else but Hermione had to face many dark and terrifying things in he life and she would not cower on the floor like something from a story.

“Tell her to unhand him immediately or I shall have them fire their arrows at her.”

A laugh rang out, “An risk the life of the one you’re asking me to let go?” If he had been angry before, Hermione thought he looked as though there was a raging inferno inside of them, just waiting to be let out and Lovell would be in his sight.

“We also have your companions, would you risk their lives?”

Lovell only smiled in response, “They aren’t my problem.” the one she had in her hold had begun to struggle slightly, with her hold tightening in response. His own hands coming up to grasp her arm, but she wasn’t a bad person, catching sight of a dwarf with a hideous bowl cut looking up at her with big eyes and she cursed her bleeding heart, before throwing her prisoner as hard away from her as she could. Laughing when he stumbled to his feet to re-join the others surrounding them.

She curled her lip at the blonde one, walking around him before kneeling beside Hermione, checking to see if she was okay, “Are you okay, your shoulder isn’t looking too good, want me to fix it?” Hermione quickly raised her hand and slapped her friend around the head.

“What on earth were you thinking? They could have killed you!”

Lovell rubbed the back of her head with a grimace, “I was only worried about you Hermione, it won’t happen again.”

“Good.”

Lovell bit her lip before looking at Hermione, “You’re not angry are you?” She tried to ignore the looks they were getting from those around them, instead, she tried to focus on looking out for her friend. Hermione looked confused, it wasn’t going to last and Lovell only moved to crouch by the side where her injury was.

“Because you’re about to be really pissed off.”

Lovell made some strange gesture with her hand, “Look at the cute Pygmy Puff!” and before Hermione could eve respond, she had grabbed Hermione’s arm and pulled her shoulder back into place. Everyone flinched at the sound made both by the shoulder and the women,

“What the fuck!”

Hermione cried out in pain, kicking Lovell away from her, “That really hurt! My poor shoulder.”

Watching in disdain, the angry blue eyes one turned to his companions, “Search them.” the Dwarves were quickly herded together and they were quickly searched and they were not kind to them, handling roughly, pushing and pulling them around. They were quick to find what they were looking for, confiscating weapons.

Hermione watched him glance down at the pictures pulled from one of the Dwarves, and almost choked on her laughter at their interactions.

“Hey! Give that back!”

“Who is this? Your brother?”

“That is my wife!”

“And what is this horrid creature? A goblin mutant?”

The angry Dwarf was quick to respond, “That’s my wee lad, Gimli.”

Lovell snorted turning back to look at Hermione, “What a prick.” She carefully pulled Hermione to her feet, as they too were pulled towards the group and quickly they were searched and Lovell smirked when she noticed the one she’d had in a headlock was standing in front of her. Hermione kicked her, a warning not to do anything else stupid. They could both hear the argument between the blonde and Lovell had no idea what they were saying, but frankly, she also didn’t care. If they could sneak away without being noticed, then it would be fantastic.

Lovell and Hermione were being searched vigorously, but they would find nothing on them, both had hidden their wands from prying hands and eyes, and Hermione was pretty sure her breasts weren’t going to be searched so their bag was safe for now. They were trying to find something, but it was cut off by a sword being handed over to the intense blue-eyed one.

“Where did you get this?”

“It was given to me.”

“Not just a thief, but a liar as well.”

He yelled something before Hermione and Lovell were grabbed and pushed along with the Dwarves, being led off further into the forest and Lovell was sure that this had not been part of Hermione's plans when she decided to bring Lovell along on her little journey, there was nothing quick about this and they would not be out of here very fast. Lovell only hoped that they would stay together, not separated and forced apart. They could do this, they could still escape from wherever it was they were going and it would be okay.

Chapter 3: Cells and Elves

Notes:

Edited 08/04/2020

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

They had been led through the forest for what felt like hours until they were led over a bridge, the blonde one stopped to speak with someone, presumably a guard, because he was following a command. They were led through some type of raised wooden walkway, stairs leading up and down and in different directions, it a place built entirely built out of tree roots and neither Hermione nor Lovell had much time to admire anything because they had all been thrown into cells, separate cells, but it still stood and once the doors were locked all they could hear was the sound of protests and yelling.

“This is not the end of it! You hear me!”

“Let us out of here!”

“Get off me!”

Lovell was shocked to find she too shared a cell with a dwarf, catching the eye of a dark-haired individual, he was watching her and so she sneered at him before turning her attention onto the dwarf. He was a kind-looking, a white-haired dwarf with a beard and kind smile.

“Thank you lass, for helping us.”

Lovell rolled her shoulders, “It’s no a problem, we couldn’t really leave you there, could we? Not with those dickheads coming in like that.” Her comment gained her a large smile and a chuckle, before the sound of grunts and a body being thrown against the metal doors rang out around them.

“What is your name lass? I am Balin, son of Fundin, at your service.” He bowed his head down to her.

“I’m Lovell daughter of Ambrosius.”

He was quick to voice his displeasure at the groans and rants of anger around them, the sounds of bodies throwing themselves against their cell doors, “Leave it! There’s no way out. This is no Orc dungeon, there are the halls of the Woodland Realms. No one leaves here but by the King’s consent.”

They sat in silence for a while, neither Hermione nor Lovell knew what they were waiting for, but thought it best to not say anything, footsteps broke the silence and the sound of a cell opening and being slammed shut and Lovell’s cellmate hurried towards the cell doors, “Did he offer you a deal?”

Lovell could not see whomever it was Balin was speaking too, but this didn’t mean she couldn’t hear his reply, “He did. I told him he could go Ish kakhfê ai’d dur rugnu!’, him and all his kin!”

From the look on Balin’s face, this was not the response he was hoping for and she felt bad for him, someone that old should be at home, comfy with a nice blanket wrapped around him and sitting in front of a lovely fire. Hermione meanwhile, was rubbing at her shoulder, it was still sore, but there was hardly anything that could be done about it now. Her cellmate was the young dark-haired one Lovell had saved earlier, she was sitting on the bed if one could call it that. She held in a hiss when she pushed too hard, and quickly stopped her messing, it was best to leave it alone unless she wished to hurt it more.

“Excuse me, Miss, are you alright?”

He was sitting by the cell doors, but bowed his head at her with a cheeky smile, “I am Kili, thank you for helping us, you didn’t have to do that.”

Hermione waved her hand at him, “It’s nothing, I don’t think I would have left happily knowing you were going to be caught by them, ah, my name is Hermione.”

They sat in silence after that, neither really knowing what to say to one another, but she could feel him looking at her every now and then, and it didn’t make her uncomfortable, she had been used to the stares for years now. Kili, on the other hand, had never seen anyone like this mortal woman before, though he hadn’t seen one so up close before either. Her skin was darker than he’d seen, her hair was almost Dwarven in look, thick loose curls that were blacker than coal and pretty brown eyes, that looked almost amber if he looked close enough.

They were content in the silence, had it not been broken by a female voice, “You know Hermione, I’m beginning to think this won’t be a quick in and out.”

“Well I’m sorry,” Hermione huffed, “I didn’t know this was going to happen, had I, we wouldn’t have come.”

Lovell opened her mouth to reply, but a figure stopping beside her cell cut anything she would have said off, when she moved closer she realised it was the intense blue-eyed one from before, he was glaring at her, “You are to come with me.”

She kept a glare on her face as she was pulled from the cell and pushed up the stairs and through corridors until she was pushed into a large room with large windows, a large table and another figure standing around as though he would rather be anywhere but here and Lovell was in full agreement with that.

“Father, I have brought one of the mortal women found wandering with the Dwarven company.” 

Lovell tried to channel her inner-Hermione, calm and collected. But this other man was incredibly tall and she, was no and it was intimidating. He was also too Malfoy looking for her to think anything good about him, anyone who looked like a Malfoy was bound to be rude and somewhat evil. It wasn’t doing him any favours. 

It was also heightened by the way he spun around, it was almost like he was dancing and Lovell had a deep dislike for him already, nobody should be able to spin around like that and still be standing completely upright.

“Leave us.”

Lovell’s eye widened, she almost asked blue eyes to stay, but she wasn’t a child and she would not be intimidated by this person, man or whatever he was. With a bow of his head, blue eyes was gone and Lovell was alone with someone that would just stamp on her if he wanted her to shut up.

“Tell me, why are two mortal women travelling with a company of Dwarves through these woods.”

His voice made her skin crawl, there was something unnatural about him like he wasn’t real, there was no possible way that this was a real person. Unless he was some form of Vampire, a daywalker, his skin was pale enough to be one, his voice had a charm to it and she had been around enough Vampires to know, that is exactly what they did before leading their unknowing victims into a false sense of security before killing them. 

”We weren’t travelling with them, as much as we ran into them.”

She decided it was better, to tell the truth, he might be a mind reader and she was not prepared to let him catch her in a lie, what if the leader of the Dwarves had told him the same and then suddenly she was telling lies? He could also be able to read her mind, she didn’t want to be caught lying when she had just be led past armed to the teeth guards stationed literally right outside of the doors.

He whirled around quickly, his dress (it looked like a dress she thought) billowed around him and flowed with his movement and she would have been impressed, had he not looked at her as though she were literal dirk beneath his shoes.

“Am I inclined to believe this? Not only were you found with them, but you also defended them and saved them. Yet you claim not to be travelling with them?”

“That’s what I said.”

She was going to end up back in that cell, but anything was better than being around this guy, she had been in Malfoy Manner with Luna Lovegood and even that sounded more appealing than being around these people any longer. Lovell had annoyed him, she didn’t need Hermione to see that, his eyes had narrowed at her and his lips curled into a sneer and yes, he was definitely the Malfoy of this world and she had done the one thing she had ever managed, she’d just pissed one-off. 

“I am inclined to believe you to be lying to me, you will return to your cell and you will die there, moral life is even shorter than that of Dwarves.”

He said this a false smile, but it almost made her laugh, she was a witch and she would live far longer than any mortal or muggle would, so she smiled back and shrugged her shoulders, if she could speak with Hermione then they could leave sooner than they hoped.

“Bold of you to assume that scares me.”

He called something and blue eyes came back and was quick to grab her arm to lead her back to the cell, but not before asking for Hermione to be brought to him, and Lovell was quick to turn around and snarl at him, she wouldn’t be able to do anything for her if she was brought here. If he touched so much as a hair or got into Hermione’s space, she would be very, very angry.

Hermione meanwhile was wishing she was anywhere else save here, because not only had Lovell been taken away but now her cellmate, Kili, was flirting up a storm with a beautiful red-haired woman, but this time Hermione could see something strange, the woman’s ears were sharp and for a second she thought she was imagining it. But no. her ears were sharp and Hermione was sure this woman was an Elf, she had never been one like this before. The tension between Kili and this Elf was so thick Hermione was pretty sure she would be able to walk on it and cut it.

Stomping could be heard and Hermione hid her face in her hands when Lovell was dragged past her cell, spitting insults like they were about to go out of fashion, “Let me go! You’re such a prick! I can walk by myself!”

The red-haired Elf did not look happy, her face blanched and her head turned to stare at 

Lovell as she was dragged past them. So Hermione coughed to draw her attention, when the glare was turned on her Hermione was quick to try and stop her from going after her friend, because she looked less than pleased with everything coming out of Lovell's mouth and Hermione honestly couldn't blame her, Lovell was a very short-tempered witch and she had little to no problem showing people that.

“Don’t mind her, she has a temper. That’s what four older brothers will do to you.”

Hermione brushed off the glare from the Elf, she had grown up in the Wizarding World surrounded by blood-purists and the Muggle world surrounded by racists, nothing this Elf was going to say to her, that she hadn’t heard before. She had just gotten comfortable when the blonde Elf (yes, this one was an Elf too, she saw) came to stand outside the cell beside the female Elf, he turned his eyes to her, “You are to come with me.” she stood and made her way to the cell door, trying not to clutch her shoulder in pain, there was no need to draw his attention to it and give him something to have over her. She would have used magic, but there had been no time when the female Elf had turned up at the Cell and Lovell had been dragged away.

She barely paid any mind to where she was being taken, her mind focused on keeping her shoulder in place, one wrong tug and it would be out again and she was no about to let these strange Elf creatures touch her in a vulnerable state. They passed armed guards standing still outside a large door, where she was led in before being pushed into a chair and left. She hadn’t noticed the other Elf sitting at the table, her shoulder had begun aching in a familiar way, one that made her entire body ache and it was all her mind could focus on for now.

“Leave us.” 

Hermione shivered at his voice, and it wasn’t the good kind. It made her entire body crawl in disgust, it reminded her of Draco’s father, when he had spoken to her for the first time and it made her feel small, more like a child than the grown woman that she was.

“I have spoken to your friend, and I would ask nothing of you but the truth,” he stared at her, as though he were trying to see through her, “Your friend spun a pretty tale of not knowing the Dwarves that you travelled with and I would ask you not to lie to me.” Hermione glared at him.

“She wasn’t lying or spinning any tales.”

His face was blank, but there was something in the depth of those eyes and she tried to ignore it. But she felt angry on her friend’s behalf. Lovell was many things, but she wasn’t a liar nor did she make things up, Hermione pushed the memory of her lying to Ron away because it wasn’t the same.

“We didn’t mean to come here, it was an accident and they were in trouble, we couldn’t exactly leave them to die could we?”

Hermione knew he was annoyed, she could tell by his tone of voice, the way he spoke just literally spoke of how he felt, Lovell had annoyed him and they had spoken for less than ten minutes and Hermione was impressed, she had seen Lovell annoy people but never in such little time. She kept a close eye on him as he moved, Merlin only knew if he did have magic, what if he suddenly pulled out a wand and threw a curse at her? Her wand was still hiding inside of her sleeve, she had pulled it out earlier and kept it on herself, she was only annoyed that there had been no time to give Lovell hers.

“Why would you risk your lives for those whom you do not know?”

Hermione felt her face contort, it showed her confusion at the question, why wouldn’t they? What type of person would she have been, had she and Lovell decided to leave those Dwarves alone and they had been killed?

“Because we’re not bad people, we don’t leave people to die.”

There was something else in his eyes now, Hermione didn’t have the energy to try and figure out what it was, she was annoyed herself now, what type of question was that? Were Elves so above others, they cared nothing for the lives of those around them? She wasn’t sure and she didn’t want to find out either. 

“You will be returned to your cell.”

Hermione nodded her head, of course, she didn’t want to go back to the cell, it was cold. She was sure that Kili was still making moon-eyes are the red-haired Elf that had stopped to speak with him and she cared even less for seeing that. But there was something stirring in the air around her, something familiar and she was sure that nobody else had sensed it. She turned her head slowly towards the Elf before coughing to gain his attention.

“I don’t mean to be rude, but can you feel that?”

Her only answer was an eyebrow raised in her direction before the tension was cut by a voice yelling.

Father, there is a mortal man here! He is demanding to speak with this mortal woman and has injured out guards!”

Hermione had no idea what was said, but from the look directed at her, it didn’t take much for her to figure out that it had something to do with her. She just wasn’t sure she needed any more distractions or surprises. Walking out into a dark forest, being attacked by giant spiders and saving a company of Dwarves was more than enough adventure for her and nothing could top being held captive by Elves.

Notes:

Listening to Dua Lipa's new album and it is so good *chef kiss*

Chapter 4: Elves and Shouting

Summary:

I don't know what's happening, but I don't hate it.

Edited 08/04/2020

Chapter Text

 

Lovell had not been pleased, when she had been pulled once again, from her cell and this time, she had no idea where she was going, and she had turned to ask one of the guards leading her, only to make eye contact with the unfortunate man that she had put in a headlock. She was cocky yes, but was there a death wish alongside that? No. so she turned back around and tried to ignore his eyes burning into the side of her head, it was warranted, she had threatened to kill him. He had the same look her eldest brother had when she had asked too many questions and gotten on his bad side.

“There.”

The guard pointed towards the bridge, Lovell had to squint to even see what he was pointing at. There was a man stood there, surrounded by more guards and he was waving his hands around like a madman, with a shocked gasp, Lovell rushed forward with a yell.

“Mr-Black?!”

At the call, the man lowered his arms and whirled around, pushing past the guards to meet her at the bridge, but he didn’t get too close, the guards who had led her there had pulled her back and pointed arrows at him.

“How in Merlin’s name are you here? You died!”

“Lovell Thomas, never in my life have I ever been happy to see another face,” Then he gestured to the guards behind him and the ones in front of her with an angry look, “Now call your guard dogs off and tell me how you’re here! You’re far too young to have fallen here, you look older as well and where is my God-Son!”

Lovell bristled, how dare he question her when he was the one that had died so many years ago now, “They are not my guard dogs! And excuse me you’ve been dead for almost nine years and you attack some of them, what were you expecting?” Lovell would not be ashamed to admit that she had hidden behind the guards, they were her only line of defence if this turned out to be a trick and he attacked them.

Mr-Black surged forward, a feral look of anger in his eyes, he was obviously unstable Lovell thought, why else would he look like he wanted to kill her? He used to be nice! But he never made contact, one of the guards had pulled her further back away from him.

“Who else is here with you?”

“Hermione! This was her idea!”

“I want to see her.”

Hermione meanwhile was having a crisis of her own, her shoulder had begun hurting even more and the way these Elves were looking at her, made her think they would probably kill her too and for once, she had no one to blame but herself. There was no Ron or Harry around to help take the blame, this had all been her own idea and she wanted to cry. It had been only a few moments since the blue-eyed Elf had come running in to speak to the other, it went on for a while back and forth. She jumped to her feet when Lovell came into the room, looking very pale and almost sickly, and kept looking over her shoulder.

“Hermione, I don’t want you to think I’m crazy, but you might want to come and see this.”

Hermione was instantly concerned, whatever it was, it had Lovell spooked and she knew it couldn’t have been any still on the loose Death Eaters because the chances of Lovell having come back alive would have been slim to nothing. No, it was something else, she felt both of the Elves come to stand closer to her now, watching as Lovell scurried to the side and Hermione had only managed a glance at the all too familiar man standing between two guards before she was laying on the floor, out cold having fainted from the all too familiar smile and eyes. 

Sirius Black.

Alive. 

Lovell rushed forward towards Hermione, gently slapping her face until her eyes flickered open and close, she noticed both the Elves stood behind Hermione had moved quickly out of the way, not even making an effort to catch her, fucking pricks. She waited until Hermione’s eyes were fully open before helping her sit up and Hermione leant in close towards Lovell, shifting her eyes back and forth.

“Why am I seeing a dead man standing over there?”

“I don’t know! All I know if that I mentioned you and he demanded he speak with you, he attacked those guards Hermione! Attacked them.”

Hermione only nodded her head, mind still reeling from seeing him, in the flesh! She had been there when he died, saw how everything Harry had been planning fell apart and all she could think about was Harry, her heart clenched, how it was so unfair he wasn’t here and Sirius was alive! She kept having to stare at him, make sure that he was truly there before allowing Lovell to pull her to her feet.

“Hermione Granger, as I live and breath.”

“Yeah, I’m still trying to wrap my head around that, you being alive and here?” She had heard about it from Harry, how Sirius had fallen through the Veil and it was a death sentence everyone knew that, so how in Merlin’s name was he still alive? Unless he wasn’t and it was all just a figment of her imagination, “I mean, you died?”

Lovell had only met him a handful of times, but he had always been happy and even her mind went to Harry, how much would the Boy Who Live, Hero of the Wizarding World, pay to be here right now? To see the only link to his parents alive and almost well? Sirius and Hermione hugged, everyone was tense. She could see the guards hands on their swords, prepared for something to happen and Lovell wished she had her wand on her, how stupid was she, not asking for it back from Hermione?

“I felt it,” Sirius had pulled away from Hermione, patting her head, and gestured towards Lovell, “Both of you, it’s like your magic called to me and now, how on Earth did two witches find themselves here?” then he leant closer to Hermione and pulled back quickly, “How old are you now bookworm?”

“I’m almost 25.”

“So long, I have been gone. How is Harry?”

Hermione gave him a sad smile, “He’s fine Sirius, married to Ginny Weasly of all people.”

“Married?”

He looked sad, and Lovell felt for him. She really did, but right now they had more important things to worry about, like how was he here?

“Now,” his eyed narrowed on Hermione, which sent her walking backwards back to Lovell, the look was just like Professor McGonagall and it sent both of them back to Hogwarts, about to be scolded for doing something silly, “What are two young witches doing in a place that they don’t belong?”

Hermione coughed before looking at Lovell, she knew he meant well, but she was no longer a child that needed to be babies by her close friend’s God-Father. But she had come here to do something and damn it all, she would do it! But Lovell got in there before she could, Lovell was like a hell hound when it came to Hermione, as a bodyguard.

“I frankly don’t think that is any of your business and while I’m at it, how dare you come here, tell us we don’t belong because from where I’m standing, neither do you!”

Hermione knew this would be an argument that would go on for hours if left to it, but hide a smile at the looks of horror on the Elves faces at the insults and profanities being thrown back and forth. Sirius had never known Lovell that well and after this, Hermione guessed he wouldn’t want to get on her bad side again. But the horror was quickly turning into irritation if the Elf she had been questioning her was anything to go by, and it was going to turn into anger if they didn’t stop.

“That is quite enough!”

Hermione had been stood quite close to him, and the loud yell was enough to shock her and she watched as he marched forward, his robes moving with him as he did so, straight towards Lovell and Sirius, who had by now, seen sense and had quickly shut up when they saw the large Elf heading towards them.

“All I have asked for are answers as to the reason two mortal women were caught travelling with a company of Dwarves, and how I have a disturbed man coming into my Realm making demands which I too wish an answer too! Not only do I have two mortal women, but they also seem to channel some sort of witchcraft”

Hermione took a deep breath to steady herself, “It’s because of me,” she could feel her cheeks heating up at the eyes that turned to stare at her, “I was asked to make some inquiries as to magic in other dimensions or world if there is magic here and what it is. I’m very sorry we helped save those Dwarves from dying, which is clearly something you don’t care about but I will not be questioned like some criminal when I have already told you!”

Lovell hides a smile behind her hand, “I for one, think all three of us have overstayed our welcome and it’s about time we left.” she missed the look shared between the two

Elves stood closest to Hermione, but she hadn’t and her heart sank. They wouldn’t be getting out of here as easily as they thought.

“Put them back in their cells and should that prove to be difficult, kill them.”

“You can’t do that!”

Hermione watched in shock as Sirius was hit over the head by one of the Elven guards, Lovell was seized and dragged from the room, shouting and yelling and she felt her own arm being grabbed, “Don’t touch me!” and it only enhanced her anger, when she was led in a different direction from Lovell and Sirius.

“A healer will see to your shoulder, then you will be returned to your cell.”

Angry, loud voices greeted Lovell as she was dragged back to her cell, “You touch me again, and I’ll kill you!” she was all but thrown back into the cell and she was quick to throw herself back at the door when it closed, grasping the bars, “When I get out of here, I’m coming for you dickhead!”

She received no answer, and her grip tightened on her bars. The Dwarves angry voices only grew louder as the guard walked back the way they came, they heckled him as he left and Lovell felt a hand on her back, drawing her away from the cell door.

“Lass, are ye alright?”

“Yeah, I’ve just never wanted to punch someone in the throat so much.”

“That’s it, lass!”

“Next time one of ‘em grabs you, punch ‘im in the face!”

She sat heavily on the small bed, cradling her head, before looking up at the older Dwarf, who gave her a small smile and patted her head, “This can’t possibly get any worse.”

Hermione was led back to her cell, passing Lovell as she walked past. Lovell rushed forward to see her, “Hermione! Are you okay? Did they hurt you, just give me the words and I’ll kill them!”

“No Lovell, I’m fine. They just had someone fix up my shoulder.” Hermione turned around as the cell door was shut, watching as the Elf walked back up the stairs and Lovell wanted nothing more than to stick her foot out and trip him up, but a quick headshake from Balin stopped her. Hermione couldn’t see her face, but she was pretty sure Lovell wasn’t happy from the angry murmurs she could hear, none of them were happy. But she was not happy when the female Elf returned and Kili lit up like a damn Christmas tree and began some cringe-worthy flirting that even Hermione felt second-hand embarrassment at.

“Merlin, are you serious! They locked us up like criminals and you’re going to sit there and flirt with one of them? Have you no shame!”

Shock covered both their faces, they hadn’t been quiet in their flirting and Lovell was annoyed as it was, her voice ringing out and echoing around the large space. The Elf backed away for a second, glancing around to see if anyone else had heard, possibly more Elves, but when nothing came, she turned back to Kili.

“Lovell, I clearly remember you flirting with Blaise Zabini after he called you a filthy half-breed.”

The Elf’s eyebrow rose before she glanced up at where Lovell’s cell was located, she looked once at Kili before walking up to Lovell’s cell, “Half-breed? A mortal woman are you not?”

Lovell flinched from the Elf’s question, but gapped at the sight of her, how could she be so beautiful? It wasn’t fair, she glared at the woman before rolling her eyes, “Because I’m not a mortal woman? I’m a witch, my mother was Muggleborn.”

“Muggleborn?”

“A magical person born from two people that don’t have magical connections.”

“Then your father is also Muggleborn?”

“No, my father was a Pure-Blood, it caused quite the scandal in the family when it happened, even more, when they married.”

The woman leant closer, fascination shone in her eyes, and Merlin, they were very pretty eyes and Lovell had to force herself to not feel any embarrassment. Her hair was beautiful too, she felt a twinge of envy, she had always wanted hair like that, but alas her mother’s genes had won out and she had her father’s black hair.

“Scandal, why?”


“Well, for a Pure-blood, marrying someone like my mother means they’re diluting their blood, filthy, dirty blood is what most would say. My father was an only child, so my grandparents had to accept the union, otherwise, their line would die out. Hermione is Muggleborn, neither of her parents had magic, but she might have had a family member in the past that was a magical carrier.”

“Is there any differences? Between Pure-Bloods and Muggle-borns?”

“We don’t get sick from Muggle illnesses, our bones are stronger and we live longers.”

The woman tilted her head to the side in confusion, her eyebrows came together and she tried to lean closer, “I do not really understand.”

Lovell laughed, smiling, “It’s hard to explain to non-magical beings.”

The woman stood there for a while, before sitting down, “But if you all carry magic, why are you treated differently by others?”

Lovell nodded her head, looking at her, “There’s always been a hierarchy in the Wizarding World, at the bottom, you have the Magical Creatures, followed by Squibs, born to magical families, although they have no magical abilities themselves, Half-Breeds, half wizard or witch and a creature. They’re followed by Muggleborn, a wizard somewhere in their ancestry, followed by Half-Bloods, a muggle presence in the family and then the elite, Pure-Bloods, families that are made entirely from wizards.”


The woman had lowered her head, Lovell wasn’t sure why she was even talking to her, she had helped lock them all up! But she liked the woman, “I am beginning to understand, there are similar orders here as well, I am a Silvan Elf, therefore I am not to the same standing as Prince Legolas or his father King Thranduil.

“It’s all very complicated, Hermione’s had to tell me all about the Muggle world, though my mother was a muggle, we never had a lot of contact with them and I was raised entirely with my father’s family.”

“My name is Tauriel.”

“I’m Lovell.”

They spoke for a while longer, but Lovell noticed Tauriel kept glancing up like there was something she needed to do but she might have been kept from it because Lovell liked to talk once she got going. 

“What’s happening up there? Am I keeping you from something?”

Tauriel smiled at her, standing up and walking slightly back up the stairs, “It is Mereth-en-Gilith, the Feast of Starlight, all light is sacred to the Eldar, but Wood Elves love best the light of the stars.”

Lovell gave her a smile, “Maybe you shoulder head up? I would hate for you to miss something you want to be at.”


“It was nice to meet you, Lovell, I shall see you when the sun rises.”

She watched Tauriel walk away, watched until she couldn’t see her anymore and the only thing around was the silence, because everyone else had gone silent now and with a small sigh, Lovell turned back to Balin, who was sitting with a small smile on his own face and only laughed when he saw the look on her face.

“I think I have a crush and I don’t know what to do.”

 

 

Chapter 5: Escape and Orcs

Notes:

Edited 09/04/2020

This still isn't very good, but I've never been one for action scenes? I hope you like it.

Chapter Text

 

It was hours before Hermione and Lovell realised there was something wrong because Sirius had not woken up and loudly declared that he was getting them out of there. It had taken even less time for them to realise he was, in fact, no longer in the cell and he had left them there all alone without even attempting to take them with him. Hermione stewed in silence, she hadn't expected her best friend's God-Father to abandon them the first chance he had and she was no happy. Once they got home, she would be telling Harry all about this.

“See! What did I tell you, Hermione! Never trust someone like that!”

“I can’t believe he didn’t take us with him.”

Lovell let her head hang between her arms, hands grasping the bars of the cell door, “I say we make a run for it now.” her cellmate had fallen asleep, which was amazing because this place was cold and Lovell would have been too worried about having her throat cut in the night to even be able to fall asleep. 

“We can’t leave the Dwarves here.”

“Merlin, you and your good deeds.”

Elves made their rounds, checking in each cell to make sure everyone was accounted for, which Lovell found hilarious. Because they had an escaped madman on the loose and they hadn’t even realised. But she only smiled at the Elf when he walked past her cell, and in response got her a glare like no other, she stuck her middle finger up as another walked by.
A choked snore caught her attention, her head turned to look as Balin, who had shot up like he’d had a terrible dream.

“When do you think we’ll be getting out of here?”

But he had no answer for her, how was he supposed to know? Which was fair enough and Lovell went back to her misery.

“I’ll wager the sun’s on the rise. It must be nearly dawn.” this came from another voice, further away but close enough she could hear him, she wandered which Dwarf it was. A sad voice spoke up from somewhere else, “We’re never going to reach the mountain are we?”

Neither Hermione nor Lovell knew anything about a mountain, but they were all in agreement about one thing. They wanted out of here as soon as possible. Pretty they might be, but Elves were not kind and neither wanted to be here anything longer than they needed to be.

“Not stuck in here, you’re not!”

Lovell jumped away from the cell door, the voice had shocked her, coming out of nowhere and it was Balin appearing by her side that surprised her more so, “Bilbo!” Lovell shook her head, who the fuck was Bilbo? Where had he come from?

“Who the fuck is he?”

Hermione couldn’t see anyone, but there was obviously someone else here that had come to help them get out of here. His appearance had caused an outbreak of voices crying out in surprise and happiness.

“Shh! There are guards nearby!”

Hermione didn’t have to wonder about this other person for very long, because a small familiar-looking figure had appeared outside of her own cell to unlock it. She and Kili stepped out and looked around before joining the others, this Bilbo had rushed to unlock everyone else cells. Hermione looked around, they wouldn’t go up, because she was sure there were many armed guards up that way, so the only way was down. But she still couldn’t figure out how they would get out of there? But then she was being pulled along by Kili, they were indeed heading down and though it took no more than twenty minutes to get down, it was the feeling of being caught that kept everyone in almost silence.

They were led further down, before finding themselves in a cellar of some sort, all Lovell knew was that she had to bite her hand because there were a few Elves, heads on the table, drunk out of their minds. Empty bottles of wine surrounded them, maybe these Elves were nicer when drunk than they were at any other time. But neither Lovell nor Hermione wanted to be around to see if it was true. 

“I don’t believe it! We’re in the cellar!”

“You’re supposed to be leading us out, not further in!”

Hermione felt a hand grab her upper arm, but it was only Lovell. Hermione had been pulled along, so it made sense that Lovell would have followed after them, they would have to leave the same way the Dwarves did, they didn’t know this place well enough to attempt to Apparate and neither wanted to end up back in the forest again.

“I know what I’m doing!”

Hermione made sure to keep a grip on Lovell, as they followed silently behind the Dwarves, both keeping an eye on the Elves because if they woke up, both wanted to be able to knock them out if they needed too. They snuck further in, before finding themselves in a large room with several empty barrels balanced on top of one another. 

“Everyone, climb in the barrels, quickly!”

“Are you mad? They’ll find us!”

“No, no, they won’t. I promise. Please, please, you must trust me!”

Hermione was trying to figure out how they were all meant to fit into the barrels before Lovell turned to speak with her, “Can’t you make one or two more?” 

Hermione shrugged her shoulders, “If there’s something I could use, my Transfigurations isn’t too bad.”

“You know Granger, you’re pretty cocky.”

Hermione pulled an empty bottle from the wine rack, before pushing the Dwarves coming from her side out of her mind because she wanted to make a decent barrel. She and Lovell could probably fit into one barrel, would it be uncomfortable? Yes. But it was fine, they’d been in worse situations. They didn’t have a lot of time, but it was enough time for Hermione to make a pretty, shit-hot barrel. They had been there for too long already, they all went quiet at the distant sound of a commotion, the Elves must have found the empty cells and Hermione would bet all fo her money on them being less than pleased with the discovery.

“Do as he says!”

Lovell struggled to get into the barrel, before having to help Hermione in, both watched in envy as the leader got his own barrel, “Lucky bastard.” but Hermione began patting her chest, and pulled out the little bag. With a wave of her own hand, Lovell’s wand was shoved in her face, “Hey! Watch it!” but she took it with relief. 

“Hold your breath.”

“Hold my breath? Whadya mean?”

Nobody received an answer, because just as suddenly as he had asked them to do so, Bilbo had reached over and pulled some type of leaver, and a section of the floor began to open. The barrels tilted and Hermione suddenly felt very sick, they could hear the sound of rushing water and Lovell’s eyes widened before their barrel fell, Hermione and Lovell screamed and they hit the water and instantly they were instantly wet. But the barrel wasn’t going anywhere, because the Dwarves were holding the barrels together and they realised that Bilbo hadn’t come with them and they must have been waiting for him.

“Hermione, I haven’t been this close to you in a while.”

A cry and splash cut off anything Hermione was going to say, and Bilbo’s small head popped up out of the water and his hands grabbed onto one of the barrels. The Dwarves all quietly cheered. Even she was relieved to see him, Merlin only knows what the Elves would have done with him, had they discovered he had realised them.

“Well done, Master Baggins.”

They began paddling with their hands, as the water pulled their barrels along. Sunlight welcomed them as they entered open space, but it was the leader of the Dwarves yell of “Hold on!” before they saw the river dropped sharply down and Hermione could make out the sight of rapids before they all plunged over the edge, the barrels moving faster down the raging river. Their heads shot up when a horn sounded from somewhere and as they rounded the corner, Lovell spotted a Guards post built over the river. The horn must have been a warning to the guards standing there because one rushed to pull a lever and the gate they were heading towards, the gates slammed shut and they all but crashed into one another. But Hermione and Lovell had capsised, the came back up spluttering and Lovell pulled Hermione towards some stairs off to the side. They wouldn’t get very fair with no barrels. 

They couldn’t go anywhere else now, not with the gates closed.

“No!”

The guards had been quick to pull out their swords, but then one of the guards fell with an arrow in their back and suddenly several of the most hideous creatures Hermione had ever seen came from nowhere and killed the remaining guards.

“Watch out! Those are Orcs!”

The Orcs threw themselves at the Dwarves, Hermione shot any spell she could at them. But it was difficult with how much they were all moving, not wanting to hit any of the Dwarves, but she saw Kili, his face trailed towards the same lever that had them in this situation. There was no way she was going to let him put his life in danger for a damn lever! She shouted at him, telling him to stay put before pulling Lovell up the remaining stairs.

“Diffindo!”

The spell cut one of the Orcs in half, Lovell and Hermione fought their way towards the lever, but it was like there was a never-ending supply of Orcs coming from anywhere and nowhere. Hermione tried to not feel any guilt at the ones she killed, they couldn’t just let them go free, and she watched as the burning Orc on flames fell into the river. But she had left her back unguarded, she hadn’t seen the arrow aimed at her. Hermione knew she would have been hit by it, had Lovell not called out her warning

“Hermione! Watch out!”

“Sectumsempra!”

The spell caught the Orc on its arm, not realising the arrow was now heading towards Lovell, Hermione had reached the lever and was pulling it, when the arrow made contact with Lovell. Hermione’s eyes widened in shock, as Lovell fell backwards into her, sending her falling back into the water, she cried out her friend’s name when she resurfaced, watching an Orc leap at her.  But the Orc didn’t make it, Tauriel had come rushing out of the tress, hitting the Orc with her own arrow before killing those that surrounded them, Hermione would have found it amazing, had she not been worried for her friend. Who was now alone surrounded by those awful creatures?

Lovell had pulled the lever before falling backwards onto the ground, the gate opened, leaving the Dwarves to go free and Hermione clutched onto a barrel as she cried out Lovell’s name. More Elves came rushing through the trees to dispatch the other Orcs, Hermione was only focused on her friend, she had to leave her there, what kind of friend was she, if she left Lovell there? She knew what Lovell would say, if she went back for her, she would be angry at them both being captured again. At least with one of them out, they wouldn't have to worry about waiting too long to be rescued.

Lovell blanked out before Hermione called her name, the pain was like nothing she had ever felt before, she thought her body was being set on fire. It spread up across her body, deep into her bones and it was no surprise to her when it was Hermione crying out her name that was the last thing she heard. At least she wouldn't feel the pain anymore.

Tauriel stood over the mortal woman, her eyes on the black arrow embedded in her leg, she wondered if they would leave her there. But Legolas called for Lovell to be brought back with them, he had knelt down beside the woman. “We will bring her back, pick her up.”  She watched as t he woman was picked up carefully, she was limp and unresponsive, sweat on her brow. The arrow would need to be removed immediately. They had captured one Orc for questioning, but Tauriel knew they would get nothing from it, but the King would want to know everything it could tell them. 

It had not taken them very long to return, the mortal woman was carried away. They brought the captured Orc to King’s throne room, her eyes never leaving its face, as Legolas stood with his knives pressed against its neck, he watched his father pace around it, not an ounce of emotion in his eyes, but there was no need for emotion here.

“Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spread, a shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So, it ever was; so, will it always be. In time, all foul things come forth.”

Legolas pushed the orc closes to his knives, “You were tracking a company of thirteen dwarves. Why?” the Orc sneered in response, spitting at the Elf. 

“That mortal woman you should be worried about, we struck her with a Morgul shaft.” He made eye contact with Tauriel, “The poison’s in her blood, she’ll be choking on it soon enough.”

Tauriel drew her knife, “Answer the question, filth.” the woman would die, she knew this, but she questioned why the thought brought emotion into her question, the woman had been nothing but a problem since she had been brought into the King’s Realm. But she would not listen to the filth as it spoke.

Sneering at her, “Sha hakhtiz khunai-go, Golgi!” (I do not answer to dogs, She-Elf.)

Legolas pushed the Orc forward, “I would not antagonise her.” his knives dug deeper into its neck.


Tauriel walked closer with her knife, “You like killing things, orc? Do you like death? Then let me give it to you!” she raised her knife, but was interrupted by the King, “Farn! Tauriel, ego! Gwao hi.” (Enough! Tauriel, leave! Go now.)

Tauriel left the room, her heart hammering in her chest, the Orc spoke nonsense. She should have gone to her chambers, but a voice whispered the mortal woman’s name in her head and she changed direction towards the Healers Ward. if only to check on her, see if the arrow could be removed before it killed her, they had lost the Dwarves and the other woman, but having one here would please the King. Had both of them escaped he would have no answer as to why they had been journeying with the Dwarves, though when she and Legolas had spoken the night before, even he could not understand why his father had been so determined to find out why they were with them, had they been telling the truth, then it was no interest.

But Tauriel could not speak for the King, her mind was only on the mortal woman that still might die, even with Elvish medicine. She hoped not, there were still so many things she would like to know, the woman had spoken of her world and Tauriel wished to know more about it. How they had come to be here, why they were here.

Chapter 6: Injuries and Elves

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

It was the feeling of her hair being stroke that woke her up, there was a pain in her leg that she remembered hadn’t been there before, it was a struggle to open her eyes. There was a bright light wherever it was she was, it hurt to open her eyes, but when she did, it was too red hair and a familiar face. A kind smile graced her lips, Lovell had never felt such happiness to see someone in her life, it had been such a long time since she had been woken up by a face like that.

“Tauriel?”

Her voice was hoarse like she hadn’t used it in a while like she had been asleep for a long time but her throat burned like it hadn’t ever before. The hand on her hair moved down to cup her cheek, stroking it, though Lovell couldn’t understand why the Elf would be this touchy with her.

“You are finally awake, I was worried that you would sleep forever.”

Lovell tried to sit up, but barely did so before Tauriel was pushing her back down, gently, of course, she was still injured and the blanket covering her body was smoothed out. Tauriel made sure that Lovell was comfortable before sitting back in her chair. Lovell’s head felt funny like everything was slightly distorted and nothing really made any sense.

“What happened?”

“You were shot by an arrow while aiding the Dwarves and your friend in their escape, the King is not pleased.”

Tauriel stood suddenly before the door opened and in strolled someone that looks very similar to Lucius Malfoy, the same better than thou look in his eyes, the way he stood and for a second Lovell had to do a double-take, she was sure that Mr.Malfoy had been killed in Askaban, but then, she had also seen another dead man not that long ago. He even walked the same! Lovell was pretty sure it was the Senior Malfoy and she was not happy about it, she wondered if she could make a break for it? Probably not, there were about four behind him. But it was getting harder to tell the difference between them, her mind had fused the two together.

“The witch is awake,” his cold eyes turned towards Tauriel, “is she ready to answer my questions now?” When his eyes turned back to her, Lovell couldn’t help it, she burst out crying. The reaction from everyone else was immediate, the King pulled back, Tauriel place a hand on her head and the guards stiffened. Had she been more aware, Lovell would have been embarrassed by her crying, it wasn’t something she did often and later on in the day, Lovell would beg anyone and everyone to not tell Hermione.

“What is wrong”?

Tauriel’s voice was kind, though she too was confused by the reaction, the witch had not cried when she first spoke to the King, what had changed? The arrow might have something to do with it, but the Healers said nothing would be wrong, other than her leg being in pain for a while.

“Don’t let Mr.Malfoy question me again! He's going to torture me!”

It was said through heavy sobs, but no Elf in the room had any trouble understanding what she had said, what in the world was this witch speaking about? Who was this Mr.Malfoy and why did she believe the King would torture her? Tauriel tried to calm the young witch down, but it was not long before the Healer had to be called to give a calming drought to put her to sleep. They left the witch to her rest, leaving behind one guard as the King led them through the halls.

The Healer did not say the witch would lose her mind.”

“I believe it was your appearance that caused her distress, My King.”

He turned back to face her, his eyebrow cocked in confusion but Tauriel said no more as the King had turned away from her, and now stood facing the forest, “ Once she awakens, have whoever is guarding her question her on this Mr.Malfoy.”

She bowered her head before leaving, it was Elros watching the witch and he would be the one to question her. Tauriel wished she could be the one to stand by the witch to watch over her, protect her, but there was nothing she could do now. Only give Elros the King’s orders and carry on with her duties. Maybe tonight, she would visit again, to make sure that the little witch was comfortable and happy.

***************************************************************************************************

Hermione pulled herself onto the riverbank, her mind was reeling. She bit her lip to keep the tears from falling, but a pat on her shoulder drew her attention to the small figure beside her, Bilbo was giving her a small, sad smile. Even the others Swarves gave her looks, some filled with pity and others with guilt, especially Kili, but Hermione knew none of them were to blame, Lovell was an adult who made her own decisions and she was the one that yelled at Kili to stay put. 

“I’m sorry lass, ‘bout your friend.”

She felt small for a moment like she was eleven years old again and looking up at Hogwarts and feeling scared, “I’ve been through some terrible things in my life, I’ve done terrible things. But leaving Lovell behind is one of the worst things I’ve ever done.”

“I almost feel sorry for those Elves, having to listen to her screech and yell.”

It brought a smile to Hermione’s lips, they were right, if anything. She was going to drive them mad enough that they just let her go. But they didn’t have much time, even sitting here they were almost asking to be found and killed, sitting ducks. But they were all quick to give her their names, apologising for taking too long to thank for her help against the Elves. She brushed their thanks off because it wasn’t anything someone else wouldn’t have done.

“There’s an Orc pack on our trail, we keep moving.

“To where?”

“The mountain, we’re so close.”

The Dwarf Lovell had shared a cell with sighed, (Balin, her mind told her.) he was agitated, “A lake lies between us and that mountain. We have no way to cross it.”

Bilbo was still stood beside Hermione and she watched his face as he looked around them, even she felt hopeless and she didn’t even know what they wanted with this mountain they had been speaking so much about.

“So then, we go around.”

Their voices only grew louder and Hermione wanted to scream at them, they had only just been complaining about Orc packs and how they needed to move quickly and it was as though they had forgotten that detail so that they could yell at one another about anything.

“The Orcs will run us down, sure as daylight. We have no weapons to defend ourselves.”

She did, but how could she keep all of them safe? None had noticed the man, sneaking around a pile of rocks to aim a bow at Ori. Said Dwarf let out a sound of distress, catching the attention of everyone, Dwalin quickly leapt in front of him brandishing a large branch as though he charged at the man, but he was quick to release the arrow, which embedded itself in the branch. Kili had raised his arm to throw a rock, but that too was shot out of his hand by an arrow.

“Do it again, and you’re dead.”

There was silence on both ends, neither wanted to make the first move, but to Hermione’ surprise, it was Balin that took the first step, raising his hands in the universal gesture of peace, “Excuse me, but, you’re from Laketown if I’m not mistaken?” Hermione saw him tilt his head to the side, gesturing towards something on the lake, “That barge over there, it wouldn’t be available for hire, by any chance?”

The man’s face took on a look of confusion, before he lowered his bow, shook his head and walked back towards his barge. He had climbed back on by the time Hermione and the Dwarves got there, and Hermione saw that he had begun loading the barrels, “Those boots have seen better days.” but Balin was ignored, and Hermione noticed the man looked more irritated the more the Dwarf spoke, “As has that coat. No doubt you have some hungry mouths to feed. How many bairns?”

“Two girls and a boy.”

“And your wife, I’d imagine she’s a beauty.”

“Aye, she was.”

Balin’s smile dropped at the reply, if anything he had both angered and upset the man with only a few minutes of talking, Hermione was sure that was a new record. She herself was pretty adept at annoying people, had she spoken to this man, he might have actually shot them all with his bow. Hermione tried not to shiver from the cold, she wanted nothing more than to take her wand out and dry herself, but she didn’t want to risk doing so in front of this muggle, she could use the ‘obliviate’ spell, but she wasn’t sure if it would work the same here? She was very good at that spell.

“Oh, come on, come on, enough of the niceties.”

At the hurried voice, the man’s head shot up to stare at him, “What’s your hurry.”

“What’s it to you”?

The defensive answer was not well-liked by the man, his eyes narrowed as he stared at them, “I would like to know who you are and what you’re doing in these lands.” Balin was quick this time, he too had felt the rising tension and he didn’t want it to get any worse it already was

“We are simple merchants from the Blue Mountains, journeying to see out kin, in the Iron Kill. “Simple merchants, you say?”

“We’ll need food, supplies and weapons. Can you help us?”

Hermione noticed his eyes were on the barrels, he had noticed the damage, from the Orc attack as they made their escape from the Woodland Realm. It wasn’t going to end well, not only had they lied to him. He knew he was being lied to, “I know where these barrels came from.”

“What of it?”

“I don’t know what business you had with the Elves, but I don’t think it ended well. No one enters Laketown but by leave of the Master. All his wealth comes from trade with the Woodland Realm. He will see you in irons before risking the wrath of King Thranduil.”

Hermione was getting annoyed, they couldn’t lose this opportunity. Who knew when someone else might come past? They would be stuck here. But as she stepped forward she saw Thorin mouth something to Balin, she couldn’t make what it was out, but by Balin didn’t hesitate, “I’ll wager there are ways to enter that town unseen.”

“Aye. But for that, you’ll need a smuggler.”

Balin only stared at him, “For which, we will pay you double.”

**************************************************************************************************

Lovell woke with a start, Tauriel stood over her again. There was another elf in the room, stood beside the door, but he barely looked at them, as Tauriel continued to speak with her.

“Lovell, I wish it was I who remained with you, but there are things that I must attend to. Elros will be the one to remain with you.”

Her mind was still fuzzy, she knew what Tauriel was saying. But there was something strange, she felt odd like there was something wrong with her. But she had no chance to voice it, because as soon as she had spoken, Tauriel was gone. Leaving her alone with Elros, who she felt was not happy to be there. She tried to sit up, but the world spun around her and she hurt, Merlin, she hurt. There was suddenly a hand on her shoulder, pushing her back down onto her back, he stood over her with a stern stare.

“Do not move, you will only re-open your wound.”

“I feel odd.”

He never answered, but stood by her bedside. He was like her father, when she was a child and sick, refusing to stay still. So he had to stay by her to make sure she stayed put. Lovell wanted to sit up, laying here, she felt sick.

“You must not move, your mortal body cannot heal itself from the poison.”

“Poison?”

He must have sensed her distress, as he hushed her. To told her not to worry, that much had been done to heal her, but even then, she knew he didn’t want to speak to her. He was doing this because he had been asked too, by the King. He had an interest in this woman, though Elros did not understand why, though she was pretty for a mortal, though he had not seen many in his life. 

She was so tired, the pain in her leg was only getting worse. So she lay there, her body must have been put through a lot, for it was unusual for a witch to be taken down so easily. Her body could fight off any muggle illness, why not this muggle poison? Was it even muggle poison though, she wasn’t sure, but she hoped it would be out of her system soon. Merlin only knew what would happen to her, if it didn’t.

“You will rest now, I have been charged with your care. If there is anything you need, you must only ask and I shall see it done.”

Her breath had even out by the time he finished, he returned to his place by the door, Tauriel had asked him to look for her, if the mortal asked for her, Tauriel seemed interested in the woman. He would ask her why once she returned from wherever it was she had disappeared too. Elros allowed his eyes to roamed the woman once more, her hair was a common black colour, her skin pale, with a red flush covering her cheeks, throat and the part of her chest he could see. She was small, but her figure was not something an Elf would see, he wondered what it would be called, her large hips and breasts had captured him. 

A flare of irritation hit him then, Elros was quick to remind himself that she had also tried to escape, she had been found in the company of those filthy Dwarves and she had threatened the life of his friend. Why such a woman would interest him was beyond even himself, so he turned his back to her, content to ignore the woman until she had a need for something.

He was content to ignore her until Tauriel came back.

He would ask for Tauriel to replace him on the guarding of the mortal woman.

 

 

 

 

Notes:

Still working on my writing, I hope this is okay? I'm trying to change things but not make them too....stupid? But I have a feeling it's far too late for that haha.

Edited 10/04/2020

Chapter 7: Laketown and Weapons

Notes:

This chapter is quite longer than the others, but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or if it's good? Let me know if you'd rather the chapters be shorter or if you prefer then this long?

Edited 12/04/2020
I removed some unneeded things, like...bitch why are you here?

Chapter Text

 

Hermione shifted uncomfortably beside the man, she knew his name now, it was Bard. An unusual name, but one given to them once Bilbo had asked for it. They couldn’t keep calling him the man, now they travelled across the lake in his barge, Hermione had been on boats before, but this was different. She had made sure to stand by him because it felt like the safest part of this barge, she would have stayed with the Dwarves, but they looked to be in deep discussion about something. 

She was worried about the fog, it was so thick she could barely make anything out when she looked, there was also a lot of ice, which heightened her worry, but Bard moved the barge in a way that showed he had been doing it for years. Her worry was rewarded by the appearance of rock-like formations appearing suddenly from inside of the fog. 

“Watch out!”

There was no need for any warnings, Hermione watched with some fascination as Bard manoeuvred the barge around the rock formations, his face didn’t change once, only the same almost blank look covered his face. She was able to get a closer look at the rocks, and they seemed to be some kind of ruins.

An angry voice broke the silence, “What are you trying do, drown us?”

Now there was some emotion on his face, she couldn’t tell if it was amusement or anger, “I was born and bred on these water, Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here.” anger, but only a hint of it, Hermione could understand why, from what he gathered bringing the Dwarves into his home, he was risking a lot. Possibly the lives of himself and his children. She couldn't be sure if she would have done the same thing, had she been in his position. But Hermione didn't have children to put at risk and her parents weren't around anymore, no, she might have if she needed to.

“Oh, I’ve had enough of this lippy Lakeman. I say we throw him over the side and be done with him.”

“Oh! Bard! His name’s Bard.”

“How’d you know that”?

Bilbo shot the Dwarves a look of annoyance, mixed with some exasperation, “Uh, I asked him.” Hermione smiled, Bilbo had a sassy streak to him and she liked it. She moved to stand closer to him, he himself had not been sitting with the Dwarves. The only sound now was the barge moving through the water and the no so quiet talk going on between the rest of their companions sitting at the end of the barge. She could only hear some of what was said, they were very hush, hush about things they didn't want anyone else to hear, but in her opinion, they should have just shut up, because now she was truly curious about what they discussed.

“Gloin! Come on. Give us what you have.”

“Don’t look at me. I have been bled dry by this venture! And what I have seen for my investment? Nought by misery and grief and-”

Hermione looked over at the sudden stop, they had all gone quiet now. They had all stood to stare at a mountain in the distance that had come into view once the fog had begun to lessen, she figured that it must be the one they were always talking about. The one they seemed desperate to reach. But it was just a mountain, sure, it was pretty and it would make a beautiful painting, maybe when she had some downtime, she would sketch it.

“Bless my beard. Take it. Take all of it.” A sack of coins was handed over to Balin. One he was obviously withholding, Bilbo coughed to gain their attention, gesturing his head towards Bard, who approached the dwarves on their side of the barge. He looked to be not scared, but harried, as though they had gotten to where they needed to be too quickly. He shoved his hand out towards them.

“The money, quick, give it to me.”

“We’ll pay you when we get our provisions, but not before.”

Bard was quick to quieten anything else, “If you value your freedom, you’ll do as I say. There are guards ahead.”

They all turned back, and they could see the rooftops of Laketown in the distance growing closer. Hermione wasn’t sure how they were supposed to get through without being found, there was no place on this barge where they could hide. She saw Bard look between the barrels, to the Dwarves and back again.

They had to go into the barrels.

Hermione had pulled Bilbo in with her, her own barrel had not survived the river. Mostly because it had not been a real one and there was one less barrel, it made sense to share one between two. She and Bilbo were small enough to share, didn’t mean they were comfortable with, Hermione liked her own space. The barge moved closer until they were by the dock, Bard hopped off and spoke with a man. 

“Shh, what’s he doing?”

Bilbo pushed Hermione slightly, to look through a small hole in the side of the barrel, “He’s talking to someone,” she pushed him to look, yeah, he was talking to someone, Bilbo pushed her away with a look, before his already pale face drained of colour, “And he’s pointing right at us!”

“Now they’re shaking hands.”

“What?”

“That villain! He’s selling us out!”

They sat there, like ducks, waiting for something to happen. All the warning they had, were footsteps and the sudden release of fish dropping down on them. Hermione tried not to gag, the feel of the dead fish on her skin was disgusting, the smell was just as bad, the Dwarves were quick to voice their displeasure, mostly because some of them had still had their mouths open and the dead fish juices had gone into their mouths. The barge moved, through the town with the barrels filled to the brim with dead fish, hiding dwarves, one witch and a hobbit. Smuggling them into his home.

“Oh, God.”

The closest barrel to Bard was kicked, telling them to keep quiet, any noise and they would be caught, “Quiet! We’re approaching the toll gate.”

“Halt! Goods inspection. Papers, please.” 

There was a sudden sound of surprise, “Oh, it’s you, Bard.” the barge moved closer, before coming to a stop and they could hear footsteps approaching., “Morning, Percy.”

“Anything to declare?”

“Nothing, but that I am cold and tired, and ready for home.”

Hermione peeked through the hole again, watched as Bard handed over some paper and made conversation with the gatekeeper, but when the other man had disappeared into the small hut type house, she saw Bard’s face, he looked around warily, “Here we are. All in order.”

The papers were held out towards Bard, but he hadn’t had a chance to take them before they were snatched away by the creepiest looking man Hermione had ever seen, he looked like a toad. He looked sleazy.

“Not so fast.”

Hermione couldn’t hear much else, only that Bard was looking irritated, the papers had been thrown away, taken away by the wind. He approached, along with some guards and that the sleazy man was heading towards the barrels, he picked a fish off the top, “If I recall correctly, you’re licensed as a bargeman, not a fisherman.”

“That’s none of your business.”

The voices were muffled, but she strained her ears to hear. But there was only angry voices and Bard’s sudden loud voice, “Oh come on, Alfrid, have a heart. People need to eat!” Hermione’s lip curled, even his name was sleazy and he was not happy. What type of man didn’t care about the starving people in his town?

“These fish are illegal,” the fish was tossed back onto the pile, “Empty the barrels over the side!”

More footsteps approached and Hermione had to hold onto Bilbo because suddenly they were being tilted and she was scared, what if they were discovered, what would happen? Would they be killed? Or just kicked out of Laketown?

“You heard him. Into the canal. Come on, get a move on!”

Hermione wasn’t sure what was happening outside of the barrel, except for the barrel being placed back, fish juice swished around her ankles and her bum, but it was fine. They hadn’t been discovered, some fish had slipped off the top and back into the water, but not enough that they could be seen. There was more muffled talking, the soldiers had walked away, probably back into the building they had come out of.

“Raise the gate!”

She heard Bard jump back on board, the barrels shifted as the barge moved and as they passed through Hermione heard a voice shout out, “The Master has his eye on you, you’d do well to remember! We know where you live!”

“It’s a small town, Alfrid, everyone knows where everyone lives.” She would have laughed at Bard’s reply but decided that the risk of fish getting in her mouth was enough for her not to do that. Instead, she waited patiently to be let out of her barrel, she was going to beg for a bath after this, Hermione heard one of the barrels being kicked over and the sound of cursing.

“Get your hands off me.”

Assuming the coast was clear, Hermione pushed herself upwards, the fish slipped off of her, if anything the smell of saltwater was enough to clear her nose of the decaying bodily fish fluids. That’s when she noticed another person, his eyes wide in shock and mouth hanging open, Bard rushed forward and handed him some coins, “You didn’t see them, they were never here. The fish you can have for free.” 

He led them away from the docks, they walked behind houses, before a young boy jumped in front of them, “Da! Our house, it’s being watched.” It stopped Bard dead if the house was being watched, it meant it would be more difficult to get them into his house, his eyes roamed over them and Hermione hoped they wouldn’t have to do anything terrible to get into the house.

Of course, her luck was always out, they had to climb through the toilet! The toilet of all things and this was coming from someone who had to watch her friends fight off a troll in the girl’s bathroom when was younger. But, she hadn’t had to climb into one before, there were many things she would have rather done. When she pulled herself out of the toilet, she held in a gag at the thought, there was a young girl standing there, watching them all, “Will they bring us luck?”

She was cold, she was smelly and she wanted a damn bath! Hermione made sure to showcase her displeasure, so much so that it was one of Bard’s daughters that offered to fetch some water so that she could wash. It wasn’t too bad, the water she heated up herself and the clothes had been disposed of, no need to hang onto them, the smell would never come out. A fire had been lit by the time she came back, and there was no wasted time before she was sitting in front of it, Bilbo handed her a spare blanket so she wouldn’t catch a cold, but her thoughts had drifted again and she couldn’t stop herself from thinking about Lovell, was she okay? Had the Elves thrown her back into a cell to die? What about that arrow, had they removed it before throwing her into a cell? Hermione could feel eyes on her, and when she glanced up, it was Bilbo stood, staring at her and she couldn’t help but feel self-conscious. She pulled on a section of her hair, before beckoning him over to her, he approached with a shy look on his face, and she couldn’t stop the smile from breaking out onto her face.

“Tell me, Bilbo, what exactly are you?”

He had opened his mouth to answer when Thorin’s angry voice broke through, “You took our money. Where are the weapons?” Bard was quick to disappear, back down to the lower part of his house. Hermione pulled Bilbo to sit beside her, he was shivering and she didn’t mind sharing body heat, but she watched as Thorin moved to a less crowded part of the room, Kili, his brother and Balin followed him. They spoke between themselves, the entire time Bard was gone. Thye stood there and whispered to one another. 

They heard Bard coming back, Hermione watched as he emptied the wrapping to reveal what looked like a handful of some homemade weapons, from the looks on everyone’s faces, this was exactly what they were looking for. They looked at one another with disgust, picking them up and sneering. 

“What is this?”

“Pike-hook. Made from an old harpoon.”

“And this?”

“A crowbill, we call it, fashioned from a smithy’s hammer. It’s heavy in hand, I grant, but in defence of your life, these will serve you better than none.”

A look of disgust came over the faces of Thorin and Dwalin, looking at each other, Hermione was sure that they hoped for more, maybe some swords, axes or anything that could be used to do whatever it was that they were planning to.

“We paid you for weapons, Iron-forged swords and axes!”

“It’s a joke!”

“You won’t find better outside the city armoury. The Iron-Forged weapons are held there under lock and key.”

There were looks shared between Thorin and Dwalin, they were definitely going to do something stupid, she had seen the same looks shared between Harry and Ron when they were about to do something stupid.

“Thorin.” 

A looked crossed Bard’s face when the name was spoken, Hermione wasn’t sure if it was because he knew him or maybe he had heard of him and wasn’t keen on him, she just knew she didn’t like that look. 

“Why not take what is offered and go? I’ve made do with less, so have you. I say we leave now.”

“You’re not going anywhere.”

“What did you say?!”

“There are spies watching the house and probably every dock and wharf in the town. You must wait till nightfall.”

Anger had emerged when Bard had told them they weren’t allowed to go, but it was put out once he explained why. But Hermione was worried, why was Bard’s home being watched, what had he done to warrant such distrust and what was he going to do wit them? The Dwarves settled down, she wanted to speak with Bard, but by the time she had caught up with him, he was disappeared into the night. He was up to something, she wanted to follow him, but if she did, who would help the weaponless Dwarves if someone came calling?

Hermione would wait, nothing bad ever happened if you waited for someone to come back. So she made her way back to the fire and it wasn't long before Bilbo joined her and they carried on their interrupted conversation. He was sweet, there were many things about him that she liked, she listened to him talk about him home and she knew he missed it, just the same way she missed her when she had been on the run.

 

 

Chapter 8: Injuries and Dragons

Notes:

I think these chapters are going to get longer, but I don't want them to be so long that anyone reading my fanfiction will get bored.

Edited 14/04/2020

Chapter Text

Lovell woke up to the sound of voices, they were quiet in one way, yet so loud in another. Her head was foggy, there was a ringing in her ears, but then her eyes were closing and she was dead to the world once again. 

Elros had noticed the witch’s eyes opening, they fluttered before closing once again, he turned back to Prince Legolas, to confirm that nothing had changed. The witch awoke sometimes, but then she would close her eyes once more and he would hear nothing from her. He was informed that Tauriel had left, she was surprised as she seemed to wish to make sure the witch was in good health and yet she left her alone? But he brushed it away, it was no concern of his what Tauriel did. She was a free-spirit, she did as she wished and thought nothing of the consequences that would come from everything she did.

He had only one job, to make sure the witch did not die and keep her alive long enough for King Thranduil to get the answers that he needed from her. What would happen after that, Elros did not know, neither did he truly care. She was a mortal witch, nothing interesting about her, certainly not enough to interest him. 

Yet he could not stop himself from watching her, he did not mind being in the same room as her, when she not awake and her mouth was closed.

************************************************************************************************

Hermione had followed the Dwarves because she knew they were going to do something stupid and she frankly didn’t want to be alone when Bard came back to find that they had left before he had told them too. She had watched their backs as they walked through the alleys and behind houses, trying to not draw attention to themselves. There had been a reason Bard left the house, she had seen the look pass through his eyes when Thorin’s name had been spoken. He must know him, but her mind could only focus on one thing right now, that was the fact that they were sneaking their way into the building where she assumed the weapons were kept. 

It had taken an embarrassingly long time to find it.

They hid from the watchmen, scattering to hide as two of them made their way past them.

“Shh! Keep it down!”

When the watchmen had disappeared from sight, the Dwarves had formed a pyramid of some sort, all Hermione knew was that it looked uncomfortable and she was more than happy to continue being their lookout, Thorin signalled to Nori, who took off in a run towards the Dwarves and got high enough that he made it through the second-story window. 

She was impressed. He must be used to running and jumping because he nailed that run and jump and possibly aced the landing too. 

“Next.”

She watched as Bilbo took a running start too, and followed Nori through the window and soon there were several Dwarves inside of the building. Hermione would have gone in, but she thought it would be better to stay outside as a lookout, they had only been in there for a short time, maybe less than half an hour, before a loud crash sounded from inside, Hermione’s head shot up in alarm and in the distance, she heard the sound of running footsteps heading towards them. Some of the Dwarves tried to run away, but they were quickly caught and her hands shot up to show she wasn’t armed, some of the guards must have gotten inside of the building because she watched as they were lead out with weapons pointed at them. 

They were pulled and shoved along the streets before they were shoved outside of a mansion, the door opened and closed quickly before a large man came storming out of the mansion, Hermione guessed this was probably the ‘Master’ she had heard Bard mention because he was the only one that looked to be wearing decent clothes, well made. 

“What is the meaning of this?”

“We caught ‘em stealing weapons, sire.”

“Ah. Enemies of the state, then.”

“This is a bunch of mercenaries if there was, sire.”

None of this was well received by the Dwarves, least of all Dwalin who surged forward in anger, “Hold your tongue. You do not know of whom you speak. This is no common criminal, this is Thorin, Son of Thrain, son of Thror!”

She almost expected some dramatic music to begin playing, with the way he stepped forward and looked around. The crowd murmured in amazement, as the sight of him. He must have been someone important, with the way everyone was reacting.

“We are the Dwarves of Erebor.”

Those words caused a train reaction, heads began craning to get a better look at the Dwarves, Hermione wanted to hide somewhere, she hated being stared at and she knew, people would begin asking questions. Why was there a woman travelling with the Dwarves, what was she doing there and what did she want? Would the Dwarves vouch for her, she had saved them but was it enough?

“We have come to reclaim our homeland. I remember this town and the great days of old. Fleets of boats lay at the harbour, filled with silks and gems. This was no forsaken town on a lake! This was the centre of trade in the North!”

It sounded like he was trying to convince them, but trying to convince himself too. The words he spoke caused a reaction between the crowd, they nodded in agreement and murmured between themselves. 

“I would see those days return. I would relight the great forges of the dwarves and send wealth and riches flowing once more from the halls of Erebor!”

The people were like moths to a flame, as soon as Thorin had mentioned wealth, there had been an increase in the chattering, people looking excited, some cheering and others clapping. The Master though, Hermione noticed him more so, the look on his face, she didn’t like it, he looked like he was planning something. Scheming. But it was the sound of Bard’s voice that broke through the crowd, he came rushing through the crowd, an angry look on his face. 

“Death! That is what you will bring upon us! Dragon-fire and ruin! If you awaken that beast, it will destroy us all.”

That’s why he had looked that way earlier when she had looked for him and he was gone. Whatever the beast was, she wasn’t sure she wanted to be around when it woke up, she knew all about dragons, the things that they could do. The crowd reacted the same way she would have, anxious whispers broke out, worry-filled the eyes of the ones she could see. 

“You can listen to the naysayer, but I promise you this: if we succeed, all will share in the wealth of the mountain. You will have enough gold to rebuild Esgaorth ten times over!”

It was like a yo-yo, the way the people in the crowd broke out cheering again, Hermione just didn’t understand, they seemed to be so afraid of this beast, yet here they were, cheering and clapping. All for some money? They were going to be risking their lives.

“All of you! Listen to me! You must listen! Have you forgotten what happened to Dale?!”

The silence was deafening, sombre and it was uncomfortable. Hermione knew nothing about Dale, of course, she wasn’t from here, but there was no question something had happened, from the look of Thorin’s face, she knew it was something he hoped people would forget about. But it was the Master, who stood nodding his head with a huge smile on his face that rubbed Hermione the wrong way.

“Have you forgotten those who died in the firestorm?”

“No!”

“And for what purpose? The blind ambition of a mountain-king so driven by greed, he could not see beyond his own desire!”

Dragon. Hermione had to keep her shock inside, they were talking about a fucking dragon! That’s why they had been reacting like that, Thorin was going to wake up a fire-breathing dragon, and was trying to convince people it was okay? By this time, Bard and Thorin stood staring at one another, they were in some kind of standoff, before the Master came forward, rubbing his grubby hands together.

“Now, now, we must not, any of us, be too quick to lay blame. Let us not forget that it was Girion, Lord of Dale, your ancestor, who failed to kill the beast!”

He had one finger pointed at Bard, how could a muggle kill a dragon? Why would they place the blame on him? Thorin had been looking accusingly at Bard from the beginning, but now he looked furious. The crowd began clamouring, and Bard looked away from the stares he was getting from the crowd.

“It’s true, Sire. We all know the story, arrow after arrow he shot, each one missing its mark.”

The crowd was quick to turn their anger on Bard, as though he were to blame for something he wasn’t around for. Hermione didn’t understand, but it was a different world, there were things here that were so strange to her. But Bard turned away from the crowd, before striding purposefully towards Thorin. 

“You have no right, no right to enter that mountain!”

“I have the only right,” he said this with anger, with this he has turned to face the Master of Laketown, “I speak to the Master of the men of the Lake. Will you see the prophecy fulfilled? Will you share in the great wealth of our people?”

Hermione didn’t have to be a seer to see what the Master would do, it was leaking from his pores, he reeked of it. So it came as no surprise to her, when the Master broke out into a huge smile, pointed his finger towards Thorin, “I say unto you, welcome! Welcome and thrice welcome, King under the Mountain!”

He opened his arms wide, to emphasise him welcoming Thorin into Laketown and welcoming the money he would get. The crowd erupted, cheering loudly and hugged one another, Thorin climbs the few steps towards the Master’s mansion, before turning to face the crowd, still cheering in excitement and his eyes never left Bard’s face. 

What was she going to do? She looked around once more, before turning back the way she had been dragged, back to Bard’s house. He would listen to her, she didn’t know about any of this, nothing about dragons, gold or mountains. Bard had beaten her there, he looked about as happy to see her, as she had been to find herself face to face with a Malfoy lookalike Elf.

“What do you want?”

“I know this looks bad,” Bard turned to close the door on her, “Look I didn’t know! I don’t know anything about any Dragons, or gold or reclaiming mountains. I’m lost, I need someone to talk to and maybe you’re the only one who’ll listen to me.”

She stood there, for what felt like hours before he moved out of the way and opened the door to let her in, she sat down at the table and placed her head in her hands. She should have planned further ahead, the Dwarves were up to something, she knew they had been, yet nothing inside of her warned her about waking up a fucking dragon! She should have found a way to see where they would end up if she knew they would have ended up here? She would have never stepped through that portal.

“Will you help them”?

“I didn’t know anything, I helped them when I found them in the Woodland Realm, but that was before I found out about the Dragon, no questions asked. If I’ve known about it, I probably would have stayed in the cell I was locked up in, the fact that they know about it and are willing to risk it waking up, so close to this town? It’s crazy.”

He sat down across from her, his elbows on the table and he just stared at her, “Well now you know and they’ve doomed us all.” 

There were distant sounds of music and voices, they sat in silence and it was an awkward silence. Hermione sighed when she turned there was one of Bard’s daughters staring at her, the girl tilted her head before opening her mouth, “You’ve got brown skin.” Hermione almost felt her soul leaving her body, no matter where in the universe or world you went, there was always a child saying awkward and rude things. 

 “Yes.”

“Why is your skin brown”?

“Tilda!”

Bard looked embarrassed by his daughter, before apologising and whisking her away to bed, and Hermione let out a small laugh. Hermione would deal with everything in the morning, right now she needed some food and to sleep, she would ask Bard if there was anywhere for her to sleep when he came back. He came back a while later, still apologising for his daughter, she had only been in Laketown, had never been outside of it, so she had no exposure to anyone who looked different. There wasn’t much for them to speak about, but there was nothing they could do now, not with all the support Thorin had gotten from the Master and the people of Laketown. Bard looked angry, of course, he did because it was Thorin putting everyone’s lives at risk. She ended up sleeping in his eldest daughters room with her, she was kind enough to lend her some clothes and she slept better in that cramped room than she had in that cell. 

The night passed quickly, she wondered if she would follow the Dwarves to the Mountain, but the more sensible part of her was telling her that she had enough of dragons and she would be better off keeping her nose out.

“I mean, what damage could these Dwarves do anyway?”

There was a sudden pounding on the door, they all looked up in confusion before Bard made his way cautiously to the door, when he opened it there were four Dwarves stood in front of his door, Kili was hanging limply in between two of them. He looked sick, his skin pale and clammy, “No, I’m done with Dwarves. Go away!” He went to slam the door, but a foot was stopped by a foot jamming itself in the way, “No, no, no! No one will help us. Kili’ sick. He’s very sick.”

He has been scratched by a sword, catching his leg on it the night before. Hermione knew that if there was a rusty weapon, you could get an infection from it, but it hadn’t been that long, he shouldn’t look like death came knocking looking for him. She had sworn not to use her magic in this place, not since they escaped from the Woodland Realm. Bard was not cruel enough to leave a clearly sick person outside, so they were allowed in and Kili was quickly placed on the table. She ripped the trouser leg, to get a better look at the scratch, it was definitely infected and larger than it should be, maybe the sword had dug into his leg.

“He wouldn’t have gotten this from a scratch. What were you doing last night?”

They spoke over one another, but she got the gist, there was been alcohol, dancing and food. Any one of those things could have infected the scratch, alcohol could have gotten into it, he could have wiped his dirty hands over his leg. Her hand slid down her arm, into her hand and the reaction was immediate. The three Dwarves tried to pull her away from Kili, “If I was going to kill him, he’d be dead already. I can heal it, but I’m not sure about the infection.”

She wasn’t a healer, had never really been trained in the art, she knew only basic healing spells. But maybe it would be enough, she didn’t know the inner workings of Dwarves, “Vulnera Sanentur,” the cut was slow to close, Hermione reckoned if she had gotten any closer, she might have seen the infection taking hold. She was worried about the infection, even if she could heal the cut, it didn’t mean she would be able to get the infection under control. 

She had been working on the wound for a short while when the aftershock came.

It shook the whole house, dust fell from the ceiling and they all stopped moving. Kili groaned in pain, the aftershock had shaken the table and jostled him, causing him discomfort. Tilda and Sigrid had moved closer to Hermione, she knew what it was, instantly. Thorin had gone and woken up a fucking Dragon and she was furious. 

“Da?”

He walked over to the window, looking out towards where the mountain was, “It’s coming from the mountain.” Fili moved away from his brothers’ side, approaching Bard, “You should leave us. Take your children, get out of here.”

“And go where? There is nowhere.”

“Are we going to die, Da?”

“No, darling.” He moved to hold his youngest daughter, his other children joining them, Hermione turned away, it was a lie if they didn’t move now? They’d all be dead, and death by fire wasn’t the way that she wanted to go. Hermione wanted to die with a book in her hand, wrapped in a blanket by the fire, cosy and safe.

“The dragon, it’s going to kill us.”

He pulled himself away from the children, before walking away. Hermione gathered the girls to her side, she wouldn’t be able to get them all out at the same time, but she could come back quicker. But Bard came back, a black arrow clutched in his hand. The children reacted with shock at the sight of it.

“Not if I kill it first.

Chapter 9: Fire and Death

Notes:

This one is a little longer, and I've definitely forgotten about Lovell haha! But I'll have her in the next chapter^^

Edited 15/04/2020

Chapter Text

Lovell had not left the bed in what felt like weeks it hadn’t been that long, but she wanted to move and leave. She had not seen Tauriel in a while either, there was only so much of a brooding, yet, handsome Elf you could put up with before you wanted to die. Said Elf was still standing beside the door, he must stay there all the time. He was there when she woke up, he was there when she went to sleep and he was there whenever she needed to use the bathroom. 

Thank Merlin these Elves had indoor plumbing.

She wanted nothing more than for Hermione to appear in all her beautiful glory to whisk her away from this place, Merlin, she’d be happy with Sirius Black and he’d abandoned them in the cells. Her leg was still hurting, a deep ache now, there was a slight infection, according to one of the Elf Healers and her body wasn’t fighting it off. She assumed it was because it was something unknown to the Wizarding World, nobody’s had to fight it off before and if she was back in the Wizarding World, it would be gone and she would be free to run away. She’d murder for a pain potion though. Lovell had tried to roll onto her side, but the pain that shot up her leg caused her to abandon the idea and she instead tried sitting up. It was her own fault, she should have let that little Dwarf take it on, he seemed like he was used to being shot and doing stupid shit. Hermione should be here to sort her out, or better yet, Tauriel could appear in all her beautiful glory and charm.

“Do you know when Tauriel’s coming back? Not that I don’t enjoy your company, but I can only put up with so much glaring.”

And there it was, a glare to end all glares and she was annoyed to see it only made him more attractive and it was infuriating. She knew he must have been annoyed at having to look after her or keep an eye on her because she knew she would go bonkers if she had to stay in the same room as an unresponsive person for that long. He walked over to her, not that she minded, he was tall and broody and angry all the time, but he was also incredibly attractive and so she didn’t mind the closer look.

“She has not returned.”

“Where did she go?”

He said nothing else, so she huffed and crossed her arms. The sooner she could leave, the better. The Elf was doing nothing but standing there, and it was doing nothing to lessen her attraction, with his stupid pretty face and his offensively attractive voice. Yet he didn’t let her leave the bed and she felt like a child. But it didn’t stop the anxiety from creeping up, something was wrong, she could feel it. But she shook her head, Hermione was fine and there was probably nothing that dangerous in this place anyway, the worst they had come across was the Giant Spiders, but even then, it wasn’t anything they couldn’t handle. No, Hermione was fine and there was no need for Lovell to worry.

 

****************************************************************************************************

Bard had left and Hermione didn’t know what to do, she had followed Sigrid out of the door, where they still were. Maybe she was hoping Bard hadn’t left, he was going to come back and everything would be okay. They could leave and the dragon would be a distant memory. She had been leaning over the edge, looking for her father when a sudden noise caused Hermione to pull her back.

“Da? Is that you, Da?”

There was no sign of the man, so Hermione pulled her back into the house, with the reassurance that Bard was probably okay and he would be back in no time. He seemed like he could handle himself and was probably already on his way back to his children and the house. Sigrid turned att he sound of something dropping behind them, which caused her to scream and Hermione didn’t even look behind her before she was pulling Sigrid through the door and slamming it shut, but a sword stopped it from closing. 

Hearing the scream everyone else jumped up, another door was thrown open and an Orc came in. Oin threw a plate at its head, but another Orc dropped from the ceiling and into the house. The first Orc had swung at Sigrid, but Hermione fended it off with a spell and blasted it away and pushed Bard’s daughters under the table, it was the only safe place in the house right now. Tilda had begun throwing plates at the Orcs, Sigrid pulling the bench to act as a shield to keep them safe. 

Fili fought to keep the Orcs away from the table, one had turned its attention on Bain, who pushed the end of the bench into its face, but there were more Orcs coming into the house, every Orc took down was replaced by another and it was almost never-ending. They had moved Kili away from the table and into a makeshift bed in the corner of the house, but even he was not safe from the Orcs attention. Hermione had almost made her way to him, but the sound of Sigrid and Tilda screaming pulled her back, quickly killing the Orc that had tried to grab the girls from under the table and had flipped the table exposing the girls. 

An Orc had leapt onto the balcony but was killed before it could enter the house, Hermione was shocked to see Tauriel coming from nowhere, quickly getting to work to rid the house of the Orcs and she almost had to do a double-take when the other Elf, Legolas appeared too. Fili had pulled Bain out of the way of an approaching Orc, “Get down!”

Hermione didn’t even have to defend herself, every time she raised her wand, there he was, shooting the Orcs and killing them, in any other situation she would have been pissed off. But even she wouldn’t have been able to kill the Orc slashing at her with a sword. She barely paid attention to him, but he was staring and she was very aware of the blood on her clothes, her messy hair and wand.

They had missed the Orc heading towards Kili, it was his yell that broke through and she turned, he had been grabbed by his injured leg but Tauriel was there, her knives ripping through its throat. The Orcs were being killed just as quickly as they arrived before one was shouting and they began to run, Legolas running after them and Hermione let out a relieved sigh. 

It was over for now.

Bain was looking at Tauriel with pure amazement, almost Hero-worship, “You killed them all.” but Tauriel didn’t reply, because Legolas had come back and was obviously looking for her, “There are others, Tauriel, come.” but her focus was not on the other Elf, instead her eyes stayed on the Dwarf. Even from here, she could see something was wrong with him. Hermione was cautious when Tauriel walked closer to him, leaning over him and so she joined her, the wound had reopened. It looked even worse than it had before, she couldn’t understand how.

“He’s dying.”

Hermione’s head shot up in shock, “What”? It was doing its job, the infection because every breath that Kili took, it sounded like it was taking so much effort to even take a breath and she was so worried, even Tauriel looked surprised, “How did this happen?” her eyes stared intensely into Hermione’s.

“He caught himself on a sword.”

“Tauriel.”

When he received no answer, Hermione watched Legolas leave. She saw him jump, land and runoff, possibly to pursue the other Orcs that had run, but why Tauriel had not joined him she didn’t know. Tauriel had pulled herself from Kili’s side, and headed for the door, but turned back around with the sound of Kili’s groan of pain. There was a noise suddenly and her knives were out, but it was only Bofur, holding a plant, the one he had left earlier to look for. Tauriel took it in her hand, examined it closely, she looked at it as though it held all of the answers of the universe.

“Athelas.”

“What are you doing”?

“I’m going to save him.”

She began by asking them to move Kili back to the table, asked for a bowl of water where she cleaned the plant. Hermione levitated Kili onto the table, it would cause him less pain than if he had been carried by hand, Tauriel appeared at his side.

“Hold him down.”

Hermione quickly bound him to the table with a whisper of “ Incarcerous ” thin ropes wrapped around his arms and legs, holding him down. Tauriel gripped her bowl of water, and examined the scar Hermione had left on his leg, “The wound is healed yes, but it is festering on the inside.” 

“I can reopen it.” 

She had been taught the severing speel in second-year Charms, again in her fourth year. She knew she had to be careful, if she cut too deep it would be difficult to stop the bleeding. Anything less than perfection and she might end up killing him. She took a deep breath, holding her wand over the scar, and she followed the line as carefully as she could until it was open and bleeding. But it was black blood than came out, not red as it should. Tauriel closed her eyes and began rubbing the soaked Athelas into his wound and she was almost chanting, but for the life of her, Hermione didn’t know what she was saying.

Kili cried out, trying to break out of his bindings, but he wouldn’t be able to. It was only the three of them, everyone else keeping an eye out for any Orcs that might return and Hermione watched as Kili reached out and grasped Tauriel’s hand, entwining their fingers together. Something was there, and Hermione was uncomfortable with witnessing it, Kili was rambling, talking as though he didn’t know Tauriel was there.

“Do you think she could have loved me?”

Suddenly Tauriel’s head shot up, her eyes wide and her face paling. She pulled away from Kili then, before grabbing Bard’s children and heading towards the door, “We have no time, we must leave.”

“Get him up.”

The Dwarves rushed to get Kili up after Hermione unbound him. But he was quick to pull away from the help that was offered, “I can walk.” But they remained by his side, just in case, and there was no doubt in anyone’s mind, that he wouldn’t be able to run if he had too. Hermione looked out of the window, her eyes catching sight of people running, the fear in the cries of the people was enough to turn her stomach. She had been wrong, the Dwarves would cause trouble and they had, the Dragon had been awoken and was heading for them.

“As fast as you can.”

None of the children was willing to leave, a stubborn look on Bain’s face as he shook his head at the Elf’s instruction. They could not leave without their father, they had to stay here and wait for them. But Tauriel was having none of it, she looked Bain dead in eye, “If you stay here, your sisters will die. Is that what your father would have wanted?”

It might have been harsh, but there was no mistaking the fear in either of the children’s eyes, they looked at one another before rushing out of the door, Tauriel kept them close to her, the Dwarves and Hermione following close behind, they rushed towards a boat and Bofur held his hands out to help them in. Kili was the first to get on, followed by the children and everyone else, but then there an intense heat and a shadow passed over them.

It was the dragon.

“Look out!”

Their own boat was hit by a larger one and Hermione was disgusted to see the Master was onboard, and she watched in surprise as he threw Alfrid from the boat. The Master was not so lucky as to escape without consequence, a rope appeared from a bared window and entangled him, so tight it pulled that the bared broke clear off and there he was, Bard. He was there for a second and gone the next, before appearing once again holding a bow and arrow, he was shooting at the Dragon.

“Da!”

The arrows had no effect, neither piercing its flesh, only bouncing off, “He hit it! He hit the Dragon!”

“No.” Tauriel’s voice shook as she spoke, her head shook at Kili’s declaration. Her eyes staring up, taking in Bard and the Dragon flying past.

“He did, he hit its mark, I saw.”

Hermione’s eyes were on the people and fire surrounding them. This Dragon was unlike the ones from her world, she could feel it in her bones, her body ached with the power rolling off of it. It was so big, the heat so intense that she could feel it from where she sat, her eyes followed it as it breathed death and destruction everywhere. 

“These arrows cannot pierce its hide, I fear nothing will.”

It happened in slow motion, the look on Bain’s face, the decision he made and then he was gone, jumping from the boat and running off, back in the direction they had just come from.

“What are you doing?”

“Come back! Bain! Come back!”

Their yells fell upon deaf ears, he never looked back, not once. Not even when Tilda screamed for him, “Leave him, we cannot go back.” there was an anger inside of Hermione, this was exactly like the Elf King, he had seemed to not care for the lives of the Dwarves, why would Tauriel care for the life of one human child? The girls cried, for their father, who would be dead before they left Laketown and for their brother, who was foolish enough to think he could help. Her anger was misplaced, she knew this, but it didn’t stop it. If they went back, they would all die, Tauriel was only trying to keep the children alive, until they could reach safety. It’s what she would have wanted, if they were her children, for someone to take them to safety and away from the Dragon and fire. Bard had climbed onto a near destroyed Bell-tower, but they could barely see him, they could not see Bain either. There was a tense silence between them, Hermione had pulled Tilda close to her, they could hear the scream of those stuck in their homes.

A deep voice cut through the scream, it sent shivers through her and the aches she had felt in her body intensified, the Dragon had stopped flying and had landed close to the Bell-tower they had last been Bard. She looked around the boat in shock, “It can fucking talk”? But they felt the water move with the Dragon’s movements, it was Bofur pointing with a look of delight and shock on his face, that drew their attention “It’s Bard! He has Bain with him!”

Hermione twisted around to see, Bard was stood at the very top of the Bell-tower, as everything burned around him, she could make at the outline of Bain standing in front of his father, saw Bard release the arrow and hit its mark. It was instant, the Dragon screamed in rage as it flew up in the air, its body twisting with pain and the light left the body and plunged into the waters of Laketown. 

Landing on top of the Master’s boat filled high with the stolen gold of his people. 

It took them a while before they got to shore, but Tilda and Sigrid rushed from the boat tripping over as they did so, calling out for their father and brother. Hermione turned to help Kili out of the boat, he was looking much better now, still a bit pale and wobbly, but better than he had earlier.

“Thank you, for helping with my wound.”

“Kili, I probably made it worse. Where are you going to go now?”

She saw the other Dwarves had begun prepping the boat for another journey across the lake, to the mountain. But Kili’s focus was on Tauriel and Hermione wasn’t going to watch their interaction, it was probably going to be sad and she definitely going to cry like she was the one that had just had her heartbroken. She saw Legolas heading towards them too, she saw the way he looked at Tauriel and the way he looked at Kili, he felt something for her and was not happy about the Dwarf being anywhere near her. 

Hermione recognised a small stone Kili had been playing with, in their shared cell, being handed to Tauriel before he turned around and left. Hermione said her goodbye’s to the Dwarves, waving at them as they rowed away with a promise that if everything worked out, she might join them, once Sigrid and Tilda had found their bother and father. She watched until she couldn’t see them anymore. 

“Da!”

Hermione turned around at the yell, and there he was, Bard having finally appeared came through the crowd towards his daughters. He held them close, reassuring them and Hermione smiled, the survivors watched the reunion with varying reactions, until someone shouted from the crowd, “It was Bard! He killed the Dragon! I saw it with me own two eyes. He brought the beast down. Struck him with a black arrow!” 

Bard looked around uncomfortably and Hermione had to bite her lip to stop herself from laughing at him, as the crowd cheered loudly and gathered around him, it was the same face Harry had made when people cheered after he defeated Lord Voldemort. 

“You’ve saved us all, bless you.”

“All hail the Dragon-Slayer! All hail King Bard!”

Alfrid had pushed his way through the crowd, much to their anger, grasped Bard’s arm and lifted it up. Bard was quick to pull his arm back, but this didn’t stop Alfrid from continuing his monologue and he continued to try and suck up as much as humanly possible. Hermione popped up beside Tilda, who smiled up at her, she wanted to make sure she could pull the children away because, from the look on the crowds’ faces, they were not happy with Alfrid’s appearance. 

“I have said it many times, this is a man of noble stock. A born leader.”

“Do not call me that. I am not the Master of this town.”

Bard looked around as he said this, Hermione knew he was looking for the Master and she knew he was dead, probably died as soon as that Dragon dropped on top of him, “Where is he? Where’s the Master?”

Halfway down the Anduin, with all our coin, I don’t doubt.” A woman’s angry voice spoke out, her hand pointed towards Alfrid, “You would know. You helped him empty the treasury.”

“No, I tried to stop him!”

“Liar!”

“Thief!”

“You’re a mongrel!”

The crowd quickly turned on Alfrid, all the years of kicking people around, bullying them had all lead up to this moment and Hermione only felt a slither of sympathy for the man, he seemed like an arse and she had known many people like that, so she was almost an expert. The more the man protested, the angrier everyone got and he protested his innocence as though he had not been seen trying to help the Master escape with all their gold.

“I pleaded!”

“Do away with him!”

“Master, no!”

He moved backwards as he spoke, pushing back until he was stood beside Hermione and Tilda, “Think of the children!” without thinking about it, he grabbed Tilda, “Will nobody think of the children”? Tilda delivered a very hard kick to the man’s leg before Hermione pulled her away and further from the growing anger in the crowd. The people were becoming angrier before they grabbed ahold of Alfrid and began pulling him towards the trees.

“Hang him!

“To the tree with him!”

“Enough. Let him go! Let him go!”

At Brad’s yell, the crowd released Alfrid, dropping in onto the floor neither of the men was happy but Bard’s anger came through as he continued speaking, “Look around you! Have you not had your fill of death?” Alfrid stumbled to his feet and wrapped his arm around Bard’s shoulder as he nodded his head in agreement but he was pushed away, falling back onto the ground by a disgusted looking Bard. 

Winter is upon us. We must look out for our own, to the sick and the helpless. Those who can stand, tend to the wounded, and those who have strength left, follow me. We must salvage what we can.”

“And then what? What do we do then?”

Bard looked like a great weight was on his shoulders, “We find shelter.” Hermione pulled the girls back towards their father, “I can help fix some things, the more important ones.” He nodded his head in acknowledgement, hugged his children once more, before walking off to help those that needed it. Hermione pulled the children back towards the crowd, “You can all stay here.” they tried to protest, but Hermione was immune to pouty lips and big eyes, “There isn’t much for you two to do unless you can help heal injuries?” at this, the girls quietened down.

People quickly began gathering that they needed, most had managed to bring things with them, but most had left in such a hurry they had nothing. Hermione stood beside Bard, watching the people walk about and gather, help those that needed it and she was shocked, when Legolas appeared seemingly out of nowhere, “Where will you go now?” 

“There is only one place.” his eyes were on the mountain now, they had been promised gold by Thorin and now he would have to pay up.

“Are you sure?”

“The mountain? You are a genius, Sire. We can take refuge inside the Mountain. It might smell a bit of dragon, but the women could clean that up. It’ll be safe and warm and dry, and full of stores, bedding and clothing, the odd bit of gold.”

Hermione turned away from him with disgust, of course, he was still thinking about gold. That’s all most of the people here seemed to care about, gold. “What gold is in that Mountain is cursed. We will take only what was promised to us, only what we need to rebuild our lives.” Bard dropped some wood into Alfrid's arms, but the pathetic man just threw it at an old woman.

News of the death of Smaug will spread through the lands.”

“Aye.”

“Other will now look to the Mountain for its wealth or its position.”

Bard turned fully now to face Legolas, “What is it you know?” Legolas just shook his head, “Nothing for certain. It’s what I fear may come.” He nodded his head at Bard and then at her, before turning and walking away.

Chapter 10: Dale and Reunions

Notes:

Huh, I keep working on things for later chapters and forgetting about this haha.

Edited 17/04/2020

This chapter is bad, but that's because I forgot about it

Chapter Text

 

Hermione has been trying for hours to speak with Tauriel, but it was like the Elf was avoiding her, she and Legolas were still with the survivors of Laketown and Hermione had only wanted to ask about Lovell, how she was doing and if she was okay. Every time she had gotten close, Legolas was there, glaring at her! The nerve of him! If anyone should be glaring it should be her! Once she had spotted Legolas speaking with another Elf, she made her break towards Tauriel.

“Tauriel! Can I please speak with you?”

The Elf turned at the sound of her name, the other witch was there. She had last seen her when they had come to shore, she looked almost worse than she had before the Dragon had attacked. Her hair was piled on top of her head in a mess of dark curls. 

“Yes?”

“I was wondering if Lovell was okay?”

A lovely smile came to Tauriel’s lips and Hermione almost felt irritated, she looked like a mess and Tauriel looked as though she had gone for a long run and came back with windswept hair, “The last I saw of her, yes, she was recovering well.”

A sigh of relief came from Hermione, but there was little chance for her to say anything in response, because there he came again, Legolas, with his glare and angry looks. Whatever his problem was, Hermione had no time for it, there was only one person on her mind right now and it was her friend, “But she’ll be okay to travel right? I was going to get her, once we settled down.”

It was a shake of the head that caught her off guard, “Though she recovers well, I am unsure of her travelling. The wound may become infected and she may not survive the journey.” ah, so Lovell was worse than she first thought, but Lovell was a Pureblood and so the thought of something so mundane as an arrow wound taking her out? It was almost impossible to think of. The people of Laketown had begun gathering around, Hermione knew it was because they would all be leaving soon and the Elves would not be coming with them, Legolas’ had a strange look on his face, he had left for a short while and had only just come back. He must have seen something that caused it, she wasn’t sure if she wanted to know.

“You saw something out there?”

“The Orc I pursued out of Laketown. I know who he is. Bolg, the spawn of Azog the Defiler. A Wargpack was waiting for him on the outskirts of Esgaroth. They fled into the North. These Orcs were different from the others, they bored a mark I have not seen for a long time. The mark of Gundabad.”

“Gundabad?”

“An Orc stronghold in the far North of the Misty Mountains.”

Hermione knew the Orcs were the ones that had attacked them last night, so the place they were talking about had to be where they had come from and from the looks the two Elves exchanged, it was not good news. They were interrupted by the arrival of a third Elf, riding towards them an emotionless look on his face.

My lord Legolas, I bring word from your Father. You are to return to him immediately.

Whatever was said went straight over Hermione’s head, she looked from Legolas to the Elf and then Tauriel, Legolas had nodded his head and beckoned Tauriel to go with him, “Come, Tauriel.” But the next thing out of the Elf’s mouth stopped them both dead, “ My Lord, Tauriel is banished .”

The look on Tauriel’s face spoke volumes, whatever had been said was not something that either of them had expected, Hermione almost reached out to comfort her. Legolas looked between Tauriel and the Elf, but he looked about as happy as Ron did when she told him to stop eating. He wasn’t happy, “Banished?” ah, Hermione looked at Tauriel, so that’s what happened, she must have done something terrible to have been banished from her home and in Hermione’s humble opinion, it was an overreaction.

“You may tell my Father if there is no place for Tauriel, there is no place for me.”

Merlin, these Elves were some of the most dramatic people she had ever met, and she’d gone to school with ‘Mr. My Father Will Hear About This’, for seven fucking years. The standoff was just as dramatic, Tauriel was looking down, Legolas was looking defiant and then you had the poor horse riding Elf looking like she wanted to anywhere but here and frankly she felt for him, she would have rather been at home. 

“Legolas, it is your King’s command.”

“Yes, he is my King, but he does not command my heart.”

Wow, there it was. He turned his back completely and focused his attention on Tauriel, beckoning her to follow him, “I ride North. Will you come with me”? Hermione was not surprised when Tauriel followed after him like a puppy, “To where”? Did she do anything for herself? This was not a good way to live, Hermione thought to herself, it’s like nothing Tauriel was doing was something she wanted to, she just followed. Except when she stayed to heal Kili, but that was a one-off, it barely counted.

“Gundabad.”

Hermoine turned her attention to the Elf on his horse, he looked furious and maybe that was less about Legolas running off and more about what he was going to tell his King when he got back? Does he get paid for this? He must, if not, Hermione would petition personally for him to get some money. She coughed to get his attention, when he looked down at her, “Are you heading back to the Woodland Realm? Because I need to come with you!”

He did, in fact, left without her, and after she was going to ask him to get paid? She would have cursed him, but she was raised better. Hermione knew though, her mother would have encouraged her to do it because he had been rude and just left her there! Maybe she needed help! She’d say something if she ever saw him again.

Tilda called her name, telling her they were leaving now. Heading towards Dale, where the people of Laketown had once lived, the city positioned in front of Erebor. It was the place where Bard’s ancestors had come from, it would take a while to get there, because of the injured and elderly. But maybe once they got there, she could finally get a plan in motion to get back to Lovell and bring her here and once she found that book, it would be no issue in opening a portal and getting home. She should probably make an effort to find Sirius, even though he had abandoned them both, Harry would want him Godfather back.

*************************************************************************************************

She was going to be crippled by the time she was allowed out of this bed for good, she’d been allowed toilet breaks and such, but she wanted completely out of it and once she did, it was straight to Hermione she would go. The Elf, Elros she now knew him as was the one that was still keeping an eye on her, he had said to was to make sure she recovered well, but there was one thing Lovell was not and that was an idiot, of course, she knew it was because the King wanted answers. Shame she wasn’t willing to give them to him. Lovell was going to die of boredom if that was possible, there was still an infection in her leg so either one would put her out of her misery sooner or later. 

She had been there for a while now, though the days were blending into one another, so it might have been less than it felt. But all she knew was that she was ready to get out of this place. Her wand was kept by her bedside, but anytime she had reached for it? Elros had glared at her, and she always left it there. No need to anger them any more than she already had right? She wondered if Tauriel would come back, at least that Elf had made an effort to make conversation and keep her entertained. She liked having company, but she just wished he would fucking talk to her, he just stood there in all his stoney and attractive glory, staring at the bloody walls all day! She liked to think she was more interesting than a fucking wall, but apparently not because he never spoke to her. 

Elros suddenly turned around to face the door, he straightened himself further before the door opened and in he came, the Malfoy King and his little guards. He looked just as he had before, no emotion and like he wanted to be anywhere other than there. She still thought he was this world’s version of the Malfoy, he looked like him, spoke like him and looked at her like she was shit, just the same as Lucius Malfoy did. Had he finally come to kill her? A part of her didn’t mind the thought, but the more vocal part of her wanted to punch him and make a run for it, had her leg not been so painful. He strolled into the room like he didn’t want to, which barely made sense because he’s the one that came in to bother her! He walked around like he owned the place, which really, he did, but still. It was rude, she could have been naked or something.

“We have received, some new. The Dragon inside of the Mountain is dead, the people of Laketown are all but homeless and make their way to Dale. the company of Thorin Oakenshield have either perished or were unfortunate enough to live. We make way for Dale. there is something in that Mountain I desire and you shall be the one to get it for me.” 

She pointed at herself, just to double-check, “I don’t know how I’m supposed to help you?” there might have been a hint of amusement in his eyes at her gesture before he sat in the chair beside her bed, he said nothing, just looked at her and for a second she thought he might be trying to read her mind. Good luck pal, she thought, it’s basically fucking empty in here. She had thought that being bedbound was the worse thing, but being joined by another person that almost refused to speak with her? So much worse. 

“You will come with us, the Healers have told me you have recovered far quicker than they had first thought, we make way for Dale, where I shall speak to this King Under The Mountain. All I desire is what I am owed.”

“Do you want me to sneak in? Because I’ve snuck out of my father’s house so many time, I’m basically an expert at it.”

Really, she knew she had no choice. She was going with him whether she liked it or not, and a part of her felt like she owed him, not only had he let her stay here. He had allowed his people to heal her and care for her, so it was within her best interest to keep herself on his good side. He looked less amused at her statement, before raising and telling her to ready herself. He left with the others, Elros was the only one who stayed and so she turned her attention to him.

“At least you’ll be rid of me soon.”

He said nothing and she ignored his look of relief.

****************************************************************************************************

The days of travel had been hard on Hermione, her legs ached, her feet ached and her back felt like it was ready to give out on her. They had finally reached Dale, she all but threw herself onto the floor for rest and Tilda was quick to fall down beside her, just as tired. She was even younger than Hermione and she barely complained, not like she would have, at that age. She had offered her help, so she would stay and it would have been rude of her, leaving without fulfilling her promise. She had all but forgotten the task Kingsley had asked her to do and she really could not be arsed to do it, she wanted to take herself and Lovell as far away from this world as possible.

“Come on, keep moving!”

“Sire! Sire! Up here!”

Hermione watched Bard rush up to the sound of Alfrid’s yell. She couldn’t see them, but she had no problem hearing them, “Look, Sire! The braziers are lit.” so they were alive, she was happy for them. She hoped Kili and the others had gotten there okay, they had seemed desperate to reach the Mountain and join the others, “Make camp tonight. Find what shelter you can. Get some fires going.” 

A head hit her shoulder and Hermione’s attention turned back to Tilda, who had all but fallen asleep. She laughed, waking the girl, “Come on, I have a tent you, Sigrid and Bain can use tonight if you’re tired”? It seemed like a silly question to ask, considering she had just fallen asleep on her shoulder and have been travelling for a long time. She let Bard know the tent was large enough for him to join his children in there, he had seemed confused by the tent, his face showed only amazement as he walked in. It was even larger than his home, with room for many more if need be, he had given Alfrid the night watch and he had pulled him, children, into the tent room with him. The last time she had used it was when she, Harry and Ron had gone on the run, it looked the same. The same beds, the same table. Bard had wanted to be near his children and Hermione didn’t fault him for it and enjoyed her sleep in the tent.

They were struggling, there was no food, the children were going to go hungry. They had been too tired the night before, to voice any of their thoughts but now they had slept and Bard was quickly called forward to hear their complaints.

“These children are starving. We need food. We won’t last three days, Bard. We don’t have enough.”

This started the conversation, the children, woman and wounded would take priority above everyone else. Hermione couldn’t shake off the feeling they were being watched though, but even when she looked around, there was nobody else around. She had turned back to Bard when a familiar voice called out to her.

“Hermione!”

She had almost thought it was imagined, but when it happened again, she walked around to look. Hermione came around the corner and stopped dead, a large army of Elves was stood there, armed to the nails and the King was there too. Lovell sat on a horse next to him, she looked pale, a little under the weather but other than that, she looked good and whole. She was sat side-saddle on the horse, the Elf behind her looking less than impressed and Hermione was quick to rush forward when she realised Lovell was going to jump off the horse. She hadn’t realised how truly lonely she had felt in the past few days until she was holding her friend close, ignoring everything around her as she focused on Lovell. The King had offered the people of Laketown aid, which was happily and thankfully received, she tried to pull Lovell away from the Elves, back to the tent where she could help her. But the Elf had jumped down from the horse and pulled Lovell back towards him and Hermione just about exploded. 

“She must remain here.”

“Sorry ‘mione, I promised the King I’d help him with something, I think he wants to speak to that terribly attractive man over there.”

She waved at Bard as she said this, who looked bemused by the woman but graciously waved back, “That’s Bard.” Hermione had tried to pull Lovell away again, as the Elf holding her back had looked distracted by something but was stopped by him once again, “You can come with us.” he had looked displeased, but he walked along with them, the tent insight when raised voices but them off, Bard sounded like he had been told something awful with the way he was talking and Hermione pushed the flaps of the tent open and they came into view quickly, Bard angry and loud, while the King looked poised and displeased as usual.

“Wait! Please, wait! You will go to war over a handful of gems?”

The King only sneered in response, “The heirlooms of my people are not lightly forsaken.”
Lovell’s guard had pulled her towards the extravagant tent and Hermione rushed after then, who in Merlin’s name did this Elf think he was? Lovell was not a toy to be pulled around! They came into the tent just as the King strutted towards a chair, before sitting down and picking up his wine glass, Hermione wondered how many people could make drinking wine look a chore, “We are allies in this. My people have a claim upon the riches in that Mountain. Let me speak with Thorin.”

“You would reason with the Dwarf”? He sounded unhappy with Bard, looking more irritated than he had before. 

“To avoid war? Yes.”

“Can I sit down? I feel like my insides are shutting down.”

Hermione looked around for another chair, she didn’t need to lead Lovell to the chair, the Elf that had followed them was already doing so and Hermione watched as Bard walked out in a huff, she knew she needed to speak with him but she was not so keen on leaving Lovell after only just getting her back.

“Hermione, you can go. I promised the King I’d help him.”

“The King? Why?”

“I owe him a life debt, do you know about those?”

Hermione shook her head, so Lovell continued, “A life debt if something you owe to another person when they face your life. He saved my life and so I owe him and if I don’t do keep my end of the deal then I could lose my magic, or die.”

“I’ll be right back!”

Of course, she didn’t want to leave Lovell there, but she needed to speak with Bard. He wanted to speak with Thorin, but for some odd reason, Hermione could feel it deep in her bones that it wasn’t going to end well. Something about the Dwarf rubbed her the wrong way and he had seemed arrogant, it was no the first time she had seen someone promised something then it wasn’t paid. There had been mentions of cursed gold or something but right now that seemed like the least of her problems so she pushed it to the back of her head to mention later.

There were Elves walking around helping and she was surprised that they seemed to enjoy it, it was kind of them to come, but even she knew it was because the King needed Bard on his side when things went shits up, but she needed to find Bard, not look at Elves and people. But even after walking around for a while, there was no sign of Bard and in the end, she had to give up, and she headed back to the tent Lovell was in. They were in the same place she had left them, Lovell in her chair and the Elf standing behind her, he looked less interested and more like he wanted to leave, and knowing Lovell the way she did, it was because he was sick of her attitude.

“How are you feeling?”

She placed her hand on Lovell’s head with a smile, “I’m fine, except for the pain in my leg.” they were there for a short while, the King looking less and less impressed as time went by up until Bard came back, looking worse for wear and annoyed.

“He refused.”

That’s why she hadn’t been able to find him, he had left to speak with Thorin about the gold he was owed and she knew it, of course, she knew he was going to say no and she was surprised to find out that Bard really thought it was going to end well on his part. She disliked Thorin the more she heard the King and Bard speak, maybe these Dwarves were the equivalent of her worlds Goblins?

 

Chapter 11: Erebor and War.

Notes:

Edited 03/05/2020

Chapter Text

 

Hermione knew she was preparing for something to go wrong, as she helped the people of Laketown. She had heard Bard speaking with the Elvenking about Thorin, about how odd he had looked, not himself, though she didn’t understand how he knew that, considering they had only met for a handful of hours. Whatever had happened inside of that mountain, it meant something was going wrong or had gone wrong. All she knew was that it was not going to end well for any of them, Dwarves, Elves or humans. So she helped the people, helped get their armour ready and watched in fascination as the Elves taught those who could, to fight. Her attention was pulled away from her task by the sound of a voice calling out, “Let me through! Make way!'' She saw an old man, dressed in grey robes, riding a horse and wearing a pointed hat. It had also caught the attention of the toad-like Alfrid, who came running down the stone steps from his hiding place.

“No, no, no! Oi, pointy hat!” 

The old man turned around at the yell and spotted a look Hermione was all too familiar with, as she had seen more than one person wear the look when they saw Alfrid or he had decided to open his mouth to speak more nonsense. She really didn't like him and she tried to like everyone she met, be kind to them, but she wanted nothing more than to throw him down the stairs he came from.

“Yes, you. We don’t want no tramps, beggars or vagabonds around here. We’ve got enough trouble without the likes of you. Off you go. On your horse.”

The old man had all but turned his back on Alfrid, looking around and searching for something or someone, “Who’s in charge here?” Bard came suddenly from the tent that he had been inside of, where Lovell and the Elvenking currently were, “Who’s asking”?

The old man, in a very surprising display for his age, hopped off of his horse and whispered something in Bard’s ear. She couldn’t hear, but there was a sudden change in Bard’s facial expression and he was quick to lead the old man into the tent. Her only concern was that Lovell was all alone in that tent, with a strange Elf King, Bard and a now strange-looking old man and she was not going to leave her alone if something went shits up. Hermione rushed into the tent and ignored the looks she received, moving to stand beside Lovell. 

“You must set aside your petty grievances with the Dwarves. War is coming. The cesspits of Dol Guldur have been emptied. You’re all in mortal danger.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I can see you know nothing of wizards. They were like winter thunder on a wild wind, rolling in from a distance breaking hard in alarm. But sometimes a storm is just a storm.”

Hermione’s head shot around to look at the old man, wizard? What kind of Wizard rode around on a horse and wore a pointy hat? She had to remind herself then, of course, he might do that, it was a different world, there were Elves here for crying out loud and not the ones she was used to. Maybe it was normal for a wizard to look like that? Who was she to truly judge? Would he be interested in answering any questions she had? She had, after all, a task to complete and she hated nothing more than not finishing her tasks.

“Not this time. Armies of Orcs are on the move. There are fighters, they have been bred for war. Our enemy has summoned his full strength.”

“Why show his hand now?”

“Because we forced him. We forced him when the company of Thorin Oakenshield set out to reclaim their homeland. The Dwarves were never meant to reach Erebor. Azog the Defiler was sent to kill them. His master seeks control of the Mountain, not just the treasure within, but for where it lies, its strategic position. This is the gateway to reclaiming the lands of Angmar in the North. If that fell Kingdom should rise again, Rivendell, Lórien, the Shire and even Gondor itself will fall.”

While she and Bard had followed the conversation and were utterly lost, the look on the Elvenking’s face was something that shocked her, so he could show emotion? His brows had furrowed, eyes darkened and if possible, his skin whitened. Did he know what this Wizard was talking about?

“These Orc armies you speak of, Mithrandir, where are they?”

Hermione turned away from the conversation it had nothing to do with either of them, her and Lovell. They spoke quietly, Hermione wanting to know what had happened while she had been in the Woodland Realm, had the Elves been kind to her? Had they mistreated her? Her questions didn’t go over well with the Elf standing behind Lovell’s chair, everything that came out of her mouth about Lovell’s treatment was met with a glare and he almost looked as though he wanted to say something, but held his own tongue. But Lovell was quick to reassure her, the Elves had been kind to her and had not mistreated her in any way unless you counted being forced to stay in bed as some form of torture. The Elf nodded his head along with everything Lovell had said, except for the bed part, he looked irritated by it. But Lovell seemed to trust the Elves, so Hermione would trust her friend’s judgment. 

“Since when has my council counted for so little? What do you think I’m trying to do?”

“I think you’re trying to save your Dwarvish friends. And I admire your loyalty to them. But it does not dissuade me from my cause. You started this, Mithrandir, you will forgive me if I finish it.”

Thranduil turned to one of his Elves standing guard at the entrance of the tent, as soon as his eyes were on them, they stood straight and turned their attention on to their King,  “Are the archers in position?”

“Yes. My Lord.”

“Give the order. If anything moves on that mountain, kill it. The Dwarves are out of time.”

“You, Bowman! Do you agree with this? Is gold important to you? Would you buy it with the blood of Dwarves?”

Bard has been through some shit the past few days though, so the yelling of some old looking Wizard wasn’t about the persuade or change his mind, “It will not come to that. This is a fight they cannot win.” Turning to Hermione he opened his mouth but was cut off at the sudden appearance of a small man, panting and looking rather red in the face, Hermione smiled in delight, she had been worried about Bilbo since he had left to go to the Mountain, “That won’t stop them. Do you think the Dwarves will surrender? They won’t. They will fight to the death to defend their own.”

“Bilbo Baggins!”

She was very happy to see him, but the thought of him having helped wake that Dragon up caused her mood to sour a little bit, but he had been so nice to her and her mood improved again, it was probably the Dwarves that convinced him to do it, they seemed the type that caused trouble. But it was nothing compared to the look the Elvenking was giving him, he was the only one that seemed unhappy to see him, looking as Bilbo as though he were a speck of dust on his freshly washed robes.

“If I’m not mistaken, this is the Halfling who stole the keys to my dungeons from under the nose of my guards.”

“Yes. Sorry about that. I came to give you this.”

Bilbo pulled a beautiful stone out of his jacket, she was surprised to see it, but it was nothing to the looks on the Wizard and Elvenking’s faces. 

“The Heart of the Mountain. The King’s jewel.”

“And worth a King’s ransom.”

Suspicion was written all over Bard’s face, “How is this yours to give?” Hermione could understand the jewel worth of a King’s ransom, but she also wondered how Bilbo had gotten his hands on it. Maybe Thorin had given it to him? But from the way Bard had come storming back earlier from his conversation with the Dwarf, she doubted it. But also, the Elvenking had looked like he was about the keel over from the sight of it.

“I took it as my fourteenth share of the treasure.”

“Why would you do this? You owe us no loyalty.”

“I’m not doing this for you. I know that Dwarves can be obstinate and pig-headed and difficult. And suspicious and secretive with the worst manners you can possibly imagine,” during his small speech Lovell had whispered “Ron.” Because it sounded just like him, “but they are also brave and kind and loyal to a fault. I’ve grown very fond of them, and I would save them if I can. But Thorin values this stone above all else. In exchange for its return, I believe he will give you what you were owed. There will be no need for war.”

There was only silence after Bilbo’s speech because none truly knew what to say or to do in response to what he had said. But the Wizard was quick to lead Bilbo away, out of the tent in the search for a place for him to rest for the night, he looked like he could do with a good nights rest and all the while Hermione was still confused, was it a good thing he had taken the jewel? Probably not, because it was definitely going to get Bilbo into trouble with the Dwarves, a King’s ransom? Who could say Bilbo would come out alive if something went wrong? Thorin would probably go to any lengths to get that back, it would escalate and Hermione wasn’t sure if she actually wanted to be there when it happened. 

The Elvenking’s eyes were on her suddenly, when he motioned at her to come towards him, and just pointed at herself. He narrowed his eyes at her and so she walked over, pulling at the sleeves of her jumper. He was lounging in his chair, legs crossed with a glass of wine still in hand, “You will join us tomorrow, you saved their lives not so long ago, maybe they will repay you.” He sipped his wine before looking over at Lovell, “She will come too, I will not have her disappearing while my back is turned.”

Hermione knew he was tall, he had stood beside her the last time she had seen him, but now he was standing close to her and she was shocked, he might as well have been part giant! How would one person be so tall? He gestured to the Elf standing behind Lovell, they spoke to one another before he turned back to her, he grasped Lovell by her arm, pulling her to her feet,  “She will ride with Elros, to keep an eye on her.”

Hermione stopped beside Lovell, who was glaring at the Elf holding her arm, “We can leave after this right Hermione? I don’t want to stay here any longer than I have too.” Hermione scratched the back of her head, a feeling of embarrassment and shame coming over her all of a sudden, “Well the thing is, Lovell, I might have misplaced the book I needed to get us back and I’m very sorry about it.”

She didn’t give Lovell enough time to answer her, because the King left quickly and Hermione followed quickly behind him, Bard stood beside his horse waiting and he nodded at her when he spotted her. She was mentally preparing herself for something to go wrong, nothing ever worked out when it came to things like this, especially not when she was involved. The thought of using magic against the Dwarves was an almost upsetting thought, but if she had to choose between keeping herself alive or saving some Dwarves? Then self-preservation was the only way to go. Sometimes we had to make decisions that weren’t right, but sometimes those were the only decisions available. Hermione had been given a horse to ride and had assumed it would only be a small group of them heading towards Erebor, but once again it turned out she was wrong and they were quickly joined by the army of Elves that had come with the King early that morning. They had been joined by some of the people of Laketown, well Dale now. They were not as quiet at the Elven army, but Hermione didn’t think anything bad was going to happen, not really, but the sense of impending doom she had was still there and making itself known. 

It hadn’t taken them long to get to the mountain, where Hermione watched the King and Bard ride off towards the large door, but they came to a stop when an arrow was shot at them. She could make out the Dwarves all stood on what she assumed was a large balcony of some sort.

“I will put the next one between your eyes.”

The Dwarves cheered loudly and waved their swords around in agreement of Thorin’s declaration and they fell silent and quickly hid behind the stone pillars when the Elvenking raised his hand towards the army of Elves, who were quick to point their own arrows at the Dwarves.

“We’ve come to tell you payment of your debt has been offered and accepted.”

“What payment? I have you nothing. You have nothing.”

Bard reached into his pocket, pulling the jewel Bilbo had given to him out and there were looks of shock and confusion shared between the Dwarves but the most fervent emotion was the anger, “They have the Arkenstone. Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house? That stone belongs to the King!” Kili was spitting in anger and Hermione thought he looked very young at that moment, an angry child that had had their favourite toy removed.

They’re taking us for fools. This is a ruse and a filthy lie. The Arkenstone is in this Mountain, it is a trick!”

Anything else said was muffled to all but the Elves, Hermione glanced between the King and Bard, and turned her head to see if Lovell was still there, and she was, looking as annoyed as Hermione felt. But the silence was cut through with a yell, Hermione turned her head back around and watched in shock as Thorin pulled Bilbo towards the front of the balcony and threatened to throw him off. Hermione felt her heart in her throat, he wouldn’t actually throw Bilbo off there, would he? Her wand dropped into her hand, just in case Bilbo wouldn’t survive the fall from that height.

But there was no need for her to save Bilbo from being thrown off the balcony, because the Wizard had suddenly appeared from amongst the Elven army and walked quickly towards Bard and the King, “If you don’t like my Burglar, then please don’t damage him. Return him to me. You’re not making a very splendid figure as King under the Mountain, are you, Thorin, son of Thrain.”

Hermione didn’t really know this Wizard, but she liked him. Thorin sneered at Gandalf, “Never again will I have dealings with wizards! Or Shire rats!”

He had let go of Bilbo, who made his escape down a rope that had been hung there beforehand when his feet hit the ground, he ran towards the Wizard, “Are we resolved? The return of the Arkenstone for what was promised.” But Thorin paid the Wizard no mind, his eyes looking behind them all, towards the horizon. Hermione’s heart began beating loudly in her ears, he was looking for something, or he was waiting. 

“Give us your answer. Will you have peace or war?”

A black crow landed suddenly from nowhere in front of Thorin, a distant sound of loud chanting, heavy footsteps from behind the army of Elves, Hermione turned around to see an army heading their way, as Thorin’s voice rang out around them, “I will have war.” 

“Ironfoot.”

Hermione jumped off of her horse, making her way towards the Wizard, the Elvenking had turned around and began commanding his own army and they turned their backs and headed towards the Dwarven one. Hermione looked behind her, to see Thorin looking almost smug and she decided then and there, she really disliked the Dwarf.

“Who is that? He doesn’t look very happy.”

“It is Dain, Lord of the Iron Hills. Thorin’s cousin.”

“Are they alike?”

“I’ve always found Thorin to be the more reasonable of the two.”

Hermione grabbed the Wizard’s arm to get his attention, “What are we supposed to do? Didn’t you say there was something more dangerous coming?” but the Wizard was looking forward, and Hermione sighed, turning around to catch a glimpse of a Dwarf riding on some sort of pig-like creature, he was definitely related to Thorin, they had the same cocky and arrogant look about them. If Thorin was more reasonable, then what in Merlin’s name was wrong with this one? 

“Good morning! How are we all? I have a wee proposition if you wouldn’t mind giving me a few moments of your time. Would you consider…”

He looked around, nodding his head, “Just sodding off?” the people of Dale pulled back in fear at his loud shout, Hermione couldn’t blame any of them, this Dain might have been small, but it didn’t make him any less scary to look at or sound any less intimidating. 

“All of you! Right now!”

“Stand fast!”

Bard might have been trying to help his little army of men feel less intimidated, but it wasn’t working from the looks they shared between them. But it didn’t matter where in the world you went, even untrained people would fight with everything that they had. Hermione even felt slightly intimidated, but she hadn’t really fought in a battle in a while, the ambushes by the uncaptured Death Eater’s didn’t really count. Hermione wondered if Lovell could really fight, even with the bad leg it would be difficult, she was prone to using dark magic, even without meaning to. Hermione assumed it was a Pureblood thing. 

“Come now, Lord Dain.”

“Gandalf the Grey. Tell this rabble to leave, or I’ll water the ground with their blood.”

“There is no need for war between Dwarves, Men and Elves. A legion of Orcs march on the Mountain. Stand your army down.”

“I will not stand down before any Elf. Not least this faithless woodland sprite. He wishes nothing but ill upon my people. If he chooses to stand between me and my kin. I’ll split his pretty head open! See if he’s still smirking then.” 

Hermione looked at the Elvenking, he really was smirking. Hermione would have been impressed by him, had he not looked even more like a Malfoy, he would probably die with a smirk on his face, he looked regal and smug sitting on his moose-like creature. He seemed unfazed by everything coming out of the Dwarf’s mouth and she would have expected, had the Elf been a human, he’d have yawned in response. 

“Dain!”

“He’s clearly mad, like his cousin.”

“You hear that, lads? We’re on! Let’s give these bastards a good hammering!”

He had raised his fist in the air as a signal for his army to ready themselves, Hermione had slid into a fighting stance when the ground beneath her feet began to rumble and shake, before a massive worm-like creature burst from the side of one of the mountains, before quickly being joined by others.

“Were-worms!”

Hermione looked around in shock, but she spotted a very pale, human-like figure surrounded by an army of those ugly creatures she recognised as Orcs. But there were so many of them, so many that she couldn’t even see the end of them. Her heart hammered hard in her chest, her breath was laboured and she, not for the first time, wished she had never come here. She should have turned around and left the Dwarves for the Elves to find if she hadn’t have been so quick to help, so quick to be a good person then she and Lovell would have been happily travelling through Middle Earth, looking at all the different species and wildlife that grew here, instead they found themselves at the beginning of a war. One they had no place being in. This was the biggest mistake of her life.

“The Hordes of Hell are upon us! To battle! To battle, sons of Durin!”

The Elven army wasn’t moving, it was the first thing she noticed when she threw her thoughts away, they stood still as though they were just going to stand and watch the Dwarves be slaughtered.

“The Elves, will they not fight?” Hermione could hear the shock in Bilbo’s voice as he spoke to the Wizard, he looked like he was on the verge of tears. The Wizard looked even less pleased than he had the first time she had seen him, if that was possible. His face was tight with annoyance as he spoke to the Elvenking.

“Thranduil! This is madness!”

The Orc army was advancing on the Dwarves now, as they lined up with their shields to protect themselves, swords and spears in hand. The Orcs were so close now, Hermione was so sure that the Elvenking would sit there and do nothing, that when the Elven army rushed forward and joined the fight, she shot him a look of shock. He took no notice, of course.

Bilbo looked between Hermione and the Wizard, before grabbing hold of the Wizard’s robes, “Uh, Gandalf. Is this a good place to stand?” The Wizard huffed before beckoning them to leave, head away from the fight if they could and Hermione looked around for Lovell, but there was no sign of her now. The Elf that had been riding with her had not joined the fight, he had not been dressed in the same manner as the Elven army. As the Elvenking commanded his army, some Orcs had broken away from and were making their way towards the now populated city of Dale.

“Azog, he’s trying to cut us off!”

Bard quickly yelled at his army to head back to Dale, “To the city! People, this way!” Hermione jumped back onto her horse and followed them, she had promised to help them and if she left them now she was breaking that promise. The Orcs had made their way to Dale quicker than they had, attacking the people that had remained behind and she could sense the panic in Bard as he looked around desperately. Bard’s children had been left behind, she was sure the panic came from this, his children were here, alone and defenceless.

“My children! Where are my children!?”

A woman’s voice called out to him, “I saw them, they were down in the Old Market!” Bard made way to go in that direction, but Hermione pulled him back, “You need to stay here, I’ll go!”

He only nodded at her, before being pulled away by some men, “Bard, Orcs are storming the Causeway!”

Hermione was desperate to find his children, blasting and killing Orcs that tried to stop her, there were so many of them, they came from nowhere and everywhere. The Wizard and Bilbo had joined them, as Alfrid gave a battle cry for everyone to join the fight, but was quick to disappear himself. So many had gotten in, but as she rounded a corner she came across Tilda and Sigrid and she pulled them close to her as Bain joined them. Hermione pulled them away, trying to find a safe place for them. The children saw Bard before she did, calling out to him. Catching the attention of Orcs nearby, Hermione blasted the Orcs away when they came too close, when some type of large dog-like beast appeared suddenly, rushing towards them. But Hermione had no need for her wand when Bard threw himself on top of it, “Get down!” his sword slamming into its head. He turned to his children, “Listen I need you to gather the women and children, take them to the Great Hall and barricade the door. Do you understand? You must not come out for any reason.”

The children didn’t want to be separated from their father, “We want to stay with you!” Hermione almost rolled her eyes, she wanted to scream at them, how could he defend himself, if he was defending them? Then Alfrid came from nowhere, “Show your father some respect. Leave it to me, Sire.” He turned back towards the girl, pushing them towards where Bard had pointed, “You heard him, we make for the Great Hall.” Bard reminded him that they would have a need for him too, they needed all the men they could have if they wanted to live and took the sword he had removed from his son to Alfrid. But Hermione didn't have to to be a mind reader to see that he would not be joining Bard, he would hide away and make sure he was not found.

Hermione quickly followed behind him, gesturing to any woman or child that she saw to follow. Some women she had to push towards the Hall, as they cried for their husbands, Hermione didn’t have time for crying women as she shoved them through the doors. Her attention was caught by the Elvenkind arriving with some of his army, Lovell came into her mind for a split second, before Hermione was pushing her away. She had no time to worry for her friend when the women and children still needed to be in the Great Hall. She tried not to react to the dead bodies of men and Elves as she passed them, a distraction would mean her death and she didn’t want to die here. She had so many things she wanted to do, like become Minister of Magic, if the chance was there.

****************************************************************************************************

Falling from the horse was quick, hitting the ground had hurt and Lovell was almost in a daze as she lay on the floor, looking up at the sky and the clouds as they passed by. But she was pulled from the ground quickly, by a familiar figure dressed in armour and she was relieved, she hadn’t been quick to get up. She might have died there, surrounded by dead bodies, just another nameless casualty of war. Where he was dragging her, she wasn’t sure but she held onto his hand as tightly as she could, her wands held in her other hand. She shot spells and curses when she could, her mind still in a daze. He pulled her along, making sure he was not too far behind him and when she lagged he pulled her harder, he had been put in charge of her, he would not let his King down.

He had let go of her hand when he spotted his own people in trouble. She called out for him, but he was so far away from her now, the Wizard was close by, so she made her way to him, “You. You’re the Wizard?” he didn’t look pleased by her question, “My dear, this is no time for questions.” he thrust his staff out and knocked an Orc off a large dog-like creature. It was ugly and terrifying to look at, s he threw a curse at an approaching Orc and watched as surprise danced in the Wizard’s eyes, “A witch?” she pulled Bilbo out of the way of another Orc, killing it before a voice called out, a familiar one that Lovell turned instantly towards it, like a knight in shining armour riding in on a white horse, was Legolas and behind him was Tauriel. She would have been happy to see her, had the looks on their faces not been so hard. Whatever news they had, it was not good.

“Legolas. Legolas Greenleaf!”

“There is a second army. Bolg leads a force of Gundabad Orcs. They are almost upon us.”

“Gundabad? Ahh. This was their plan all along. Azog engages our forces, then Bolg sweeps in from the North.”

“What? The North? Where is the North exactly?”

“Ravenhill.”

Bilbo’s face contorted into a look of distress, “Ravenhill? But Thorin is up there! Fili and Kili too! They’re all up there!” Tauriel’s face had come to look distressed too, once Bibo mentioned the name of the young dark-haired Dwarf. Elves had closed in around them now, still fighting strong, but there were less of them now, so many had been killed and Lovell watched as the Elvenking called for the Elven army to retreat. Gandalf made his way over to him quickly, “My Lord, dispense this force to Ravenhill, the Dwarves are about to be overrun. Thorin must be warned.”

“By all means, warn him. I’ve spent enough Elvish blood in defence of this accursed land. No more.”

Lovell wanted to understand, but as he turned and walked away from Gandalf, her heart pounded loudly. Most of his army had been killed, slaughtered, Elves he knew and cared about in defence of a Dwarf that had shot an arrow at him. Tauriel moved to confront the Elvenking, she had drawn her bow and pointed it at him, but the Elvenking in anger had swung his sword and broke it.

“What do you know of love? Nothing. What you feel for this Dwarf is not real. You think it is love? Are you ready to die for it?”

He still had his sword pointed at Tauriel when his son appeared, forcing his father’s sword down and spoke to his father in Elvish, Lovell watched in surprise as he turned around toward Tauriel, “I will go with you.” as quickly as he came, he was gone. He just spun around and left, not once did he turn around to look at the other Elves or his father. They were heading towards Ravenhill and Lovell was going to follow them, she hoped Hermione forgave her for leaving. Those Dwarves weren’t doomed yet, not when she could do something about it and she walked away. She tried to calm her mind as she did so, she was going to risk her life for some Dwarves that she really didn't know, they hadn't seemed very kind earlier when they refused to give Bard his share of the treasure that was promised to him. As she didn’t notice Elros watching her, holding his side in pain. Not when she was led away by his kinsmen and not his eyes, never leaving her retreating figure

Chapter 12: New Beginning.

Notes:

Lol, remember when I was like @Im in quaratine I can re-write this in no time?@ lol at me ahaha.

Re-Write 11/07/2020

Chapter Text

Hermione looked around the Hall, she was surrounded by distraught women. Hidden away as another home was broken, as their husbands, sons and brothers fought while they were forced to hide away as though they were fragile and delicate. Hermione knew any of these women could do what the men were doing if they were allowed to. But it was not her place to rally women that didn’t know her, a stranger that had come into Laketown with the very Dwarves that had caused them to lose their homes, these were not her people. Instead, she focused her attention on the children she had promised to protect, keeping them hidden in the back of the Hall, further from the door.

“I say we stand with our men in life and in death.”

“I’m with ya.”

Bain stood up before she could stop him, “Arm yourselves!” she knew he had wanted to stay with Bard, but putting himself in unnecessary danger was stupid, one of the studiest things she had seen in a while. But there was no stopping the women now, she watched as the women grabbed anything and everything they could that could be used as a weapon. A small argument had broken out in the back, but right now the children were gone and she wasn’t sure how Bard would take the news that she had all but lost his children in the middle of a battle. They would be fine, she knew they would be, if she could survive to be friends with Harry Potter for most of her life, then Bard’s children would be fine. 


She needed to find Lovell, “Appare Vestigium.” A spell that could track people, so she focused her mind on Lovell and followed the footprints that appeared not far from where she was standing. Why would she have gone that way, Hermione didn’t know, but she knew one thing. Lovell attracted trouble the same way Ron and Harry had, so she hurried to follow the footprints and Lovell had best be ready when Hermione found her, she was so angry. Why hadn’t she stayed with the Elves? Why couldn’t she do what she was told for one in her life?

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Lovell gasped for breath as she finished her ascent of Ravenhill, clutching her chest as she did so. Once this was over, she was going to do some intense exercise, she could have stopped but the Dwarves popped into her mind and so she carried on. She pushed herself forward, climbing over rocks until she spotted two Dwarves, so she made her way forward until they noticed her and she thanked Merlin when they did, though neither looked very pleased to see her.

“Thorin!”

Bilbo suddenly came from seemingly out of nowhere, something was odd about that little man, he was always coming and going, appearing from seemingly nothing.

“Bilbo.”

“You have to leave here! Now!” Azog has another army, attacking from the North. The Watchtower will be completely surrounded, there’ll be no way out.”

That did not sound good, had she really walked her ass up a fucking mountain, to help these Dwarves only to have to walk back down? The bald Dwarf seemed to mirror her thoughts, thrusting his axe around, “We are so close. That Orc scum is in there, I say we push forward.”

“No! That’s what he wants. He wants to draw us in. This is a trap!”.

A sudden noise had all of them looking at the looming towers in front of them, Lovell was quick to pull her wand out. Whatever had made that noise would have to be stopped, and quickly, quicker than she had ever had to cast. A large, pale figure emerged holding an ash-haired blonde Dwarf she recognised from the Cells, he looked injured as he struggled to free himself from the strong grip the pale Orc had on him. His injuries stopped him from fighting harder, but even then, anyone would be able to see that the pale Orc would not let him go.

“Oh no.”

“This one dies first. Then the brother. Then you, Thorin Oakenshield, you will die last.”

Off the top of her head, she knew there was really only one spell that could possibly save the Dwarf’s life, her wand arm shot out as she yelled, “Reducto!” the wall beside the pale Orc exploded and in shock, the Dwarf was released. Hermione had taught her a spell that would slow down and could even stop something from falling, it had never been used in her knowledge to stop a body, but it was worth a shot. The Orcs were not gone, but she could hear the yells of the others, they would give her the time she needed.

“Arresto Momentum!”

With all the confusion it was easy for her to slip away and rush towards where the Dwarf was. It would have slowed him down enough to stop any major injuries, hopefully, and she was relieved to find him lying in a pile of snow. She could hear the sound of swords clashing and voices yelling, but the sight of the wiggling body was heart pounding. She hadn’t killed him, thank Merlin. She placed her hands on his chest as he gasped, “Thank Merlin, you’re alive.”


He was obviously confused, disorientated. Not that she could blame him, he probably thought he was going to die, if not from the pale Orc, then from the fall from that height. He couldn’t fight, not in his condition, “Look, you need to stay alive. I’m going to hide you here,” he tried to cut her off, his breath his laboured, “I can still fight!” but she was nothing, if not stubborn, so she smiled at him and patted his chest.

“Sorry about this, but you can yell at me later. Okay?”

She quickly cast a Full-Body Bind on him, rendering him useless. His eyes shot around in fear, as he cast a Disillusionment charm, nobody would find him now. She nodded her head, before taking a deep breath and rushing back the way she had come. Even more, Orcs had joined now, and some odd-looking bat-like creatures that she definitely wanted to avoid, the Bald Dwarf was making his way through the Orcs as though they were nothing but water. Lovell had wanted to stay close to Thorin, but he seemed to have made off into nothing and her head swirled around to look for him. Her head shot around until she spotted a large group of Orcs off to the side, the chances of him being there were very high. He might have been a formidable fighter, but he was only one Dwarf and not even he could take on that many Orcs and come out alive.

Danger followed the Dwarf just as much as it had followed Hermione and her friends back in the day. 

Just as Lovell made her way over to him, arrows began raining down on the Orcs, she looked around quickly before glancing up, Legolas was standing atop a broken tower and Tauriel was there too. Lovell wasn’t sure when they had arrived, or even if they had been there the entire time. She made her way towards Tauriel, but almost as though in slow motion an Orc appeared behind the Elf, grabbing hold of her and throwing her into the wall. Kili bravely rushed in to protect her, but it did not take him long to be overpowered and as he fell to the floor, the Orc raised his sword and made to bring it down on the Dwarf.

“Sectumsempra!”

It would do little damage to its body, but it was enough to confuse him and Tauriel sprung from her position, crumpled against the fall and tackled the Orc. they stumbled backwards and then quicker than Lovell was prepared for. They tumbled over the edge and Lovell had to be quick in stopping Kili from following, casting the same Full Body-Bind as she had on his brother, and when she made to pick him up, she stumbled. He was surprisingly heavier than he looked and she ignored the dark look he was shooting her and so she hid him, all anyone would see was crushed rocks.

Lovell rushed to the edge that Tauriel had tumbled over, catching sight of her fighting the Orc that she had taken with her. She could make out Legolas riding on top of some large beast, before causing it to ram itself into the tower and she watched as it crumbled. The fallen tower caused a make-shift bridge to form and she watched as Legolas ran to Tauriel’s aid. Lovell would have to make her way down there without being seen, it was possible but not without danger. She had thrown her leg over the edge and prepared to fall down when an all too familiar, angry voice called out from behind her.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************* Hermione was going to kill Lovell and she was going to make sure that it hurt. Would it have killed the other witch to just stay put? Wait until everything had calmed down? No, the other witch never used her brain, rushing into things without a thought of how her friends would feel if something terrible were to happen to her. Hermione followed the footsteps for what felt like hours, before lifting her head and feeling her heart stop, Lovell’s lower half was over the edge and doing Merlin knows what. She almost felt like her legs were going to give out as she stumbled forward with a cry of her friend's name.

“Lovell! Don’t you dare move!”

“Hermione?”

Hermione rushed forward, pulling Lovell up and away from the ledge, “What in Merlin’s name were you doing?” she tried to ignore the confused Lovell on her friend’s face, instead focused on trying to calm her pounding heart, had Lovell fallen from there, it possibly would have killed and then what? How could she explain to Lovell’s family that she had died doing something that Hermione had made her do? Lovell's father would be furious, her brothers too and there was no imagining what her brothers would do, once they were told why their precious little sister wasn't going to be coming home. Would they petition for her to be thrown into Askaban?

“It's not what it looks like! Tauriel needs help!"

“I’m sure she’s fine without you jumping in.”

Lovell rolled her eyes, “I’ve got Fili and Kili hidden away, they should be fine.” Lovell tugged at her shirt, “They’re going to be well pissed off once I let them go.” Hermione shook her head, about to reply when the body of an Orc came crashing down past them and they rushed to see what was happening as it crashed through the crumbling tower and took the Orc that had been attacking Legolas and Tauriel with it. Hermione watched as Legolas’ head shot back up to where the Orc had fallen and sent his sword flying in that direction. In their shock at his amazing shot, they failed to notice that Tauriel had disappeared. They both felt quite silly standing and watching as Legolas battled the Orc, knives slashing and clanging, though neither felt confident that their spells wouldn’t hit the Elf, the battle was over quicker than they anticipated. Legolas drove his sword through the Orc’s head, sending him toppling down, crashing into a tower and sending it crashing down; there was no surviving that for a second time. 

“Lovell, where’s Thorin?”

“Oh, I saw him over there. I was actually looking out for Kili but when I last saw him he was surrounded by Orcs.”

Lovell pointed to where Legolas had thrown the sword, but neither of them saw much when they looked over. Hermione turned in that direction when the sound of something screeching came from above them, some type of large bird-shaped creature's shadow covered them and when they looked up, Hermione was shocked to see what looked like a giant Eagle flying over them and on its back were two figures. One of the figures fell off of the Eagle’s back, mid-fall he transformed into a bear and had it been any other day, Hermione would have been jumping up and down in excitement, this was exactly the kind of thing she liked but right now, that excitement would have to be benched. Instead, she took hold of Lovell’s arm and they rushed towards the area where Thorin should be, they would have to fight, there was no getting around it. She would think of the consequences later when Thorin was safe and they had time to re-think what they had gotten involved in. 

It didn’t take them very long to find Thorin, not with the noises coming from where he was, he was fighting on, what Hermione realised in horror, was a frozen lake. They watched as Thorin threw a large boulder at the Pale Orc, causing him to crash down into the ice-cold water and disappear into the water, Thorin turned on his heels and walked slowly as though he were watching something underneath the ice. Thorin must have been able to see the Orc’s body floating to the top of the water, only stopped by the ice that Thorin was walking across. They jumped in shock when Thorin threw his head back with a roar of pain, and as the Orc burst threw the ice and pinned the Dwarf to the ground. Hermione knew that there were many things they could do to help Thorin, but it meant coming out from behind the rocks they had sought refuge, exposing themselves to the Orc and maybe being too slow to actually be of any help. Yes, they might be able to kill the Orc and Thorin would live, but what if they had miscalculated and hit the Dwarf instead, he would die and they would have to live with that for the rest of their lives.

But Hermione made the choice for them, she didn’t like the Dwarf, but she wasn’t going to wait around for him to die. She shot a stunning spell at the Orc, long enough for Thorin to drive his own sword upwards and into it, sending the body sidewards into the ice. They moved quickly, over the rocks and down onto the ice to see if Hermione’s spell had saved his life and they were quickly joined by Bilbo who looked as though he thought Thorin was already dead. He was laying on his back, still as stone when they made it to his side, for a split second, Hermione truly thought he was dead and her spell casting had been for nothing. Until Bilbo reached down and touched him, Thorin shot up with a deep gasp of breath and Hermione let out the breath she had been holding. Lovell had saved his nephews and she had saved him. 

Bilbo threw himself at the Dwarf arms wrapping tightly around his broad shoulders and cried, Hermione, didn’t regret saving him, not when Bilbo looked so happy, his face flushed red and tears on his cheeks. She hid a smile behind her hand at the sight of Lovell turning away from them, wiping at her eyes, they just needed to find Thorin’s nephews before they left it too late and h=they froze to death.

*************************************************************************************************** *******************************************************************************

Finding Fili had been easy, of course, he had been furious at being kept from the battle. Kept from helping to save Thorin and defend Erebor, but Lovell felt no guilt in keeping him safe and from getting even more injured. Some Dwarves had come to get him, taking him to a Healing Tent for his injuries to be tended to. Now, finding Kili had been a tad bit more difficult, in her frenzy, Lovell had somehow forgotten where he was, the general location was there. But she tried to be discreet when inside she was panicking, how would Thorin and Fili react if she told them she had lost the youngest member of their family? With some less than stable wand waving(more like dramatic jabbing), she found him, he was laying completely still, but not unaware of what was going on around him. His eye glared at her the closer she got, while she waved and laughed at him but when the glare disappeared completely and his face melted into a look of adoration, she knew it wasn't because of her coming back to save him from hypothermia. It was because Tauriel was standing right behind her, the Elvenking and Legolas too.

"Kili?"

Tauriel rushed past Lovell, kneeling down beside the Dwarf in worry as her hands hovered over his chest and she turned to Lovell in confusion and the worry coming full force. Lovell had to reassure the Elf, that Kili was in fact, fine. But the spell that she had used rendered him motionless because she had stopped him from rushing into a battle that he would not have come out of alive. The Dwarf obviously had wanted to say something to her, possibly a good old verbal lashing, which she could handle, she had grown accustomed to them, having grown up with a father that often liked to part-take in them. The counter-spell was easy enough to cast and she watched as Kili was drawn into Tauriel's embrace and she ran her hand through his hair and when she turned away from the sickly sweet scene, it was to the image of the Elvenking beckoning her to him and she went to him, unsure and uncomfortable. His hair was slightly dishevelled, but only like there had been a gust of wind, not because he had been fighting to keep his people safe, there was a small trail of blood on his cheek.

"Where is the other witch?"

"Hermione? She's with Bilbo and Thorin."

"Ah, so the Dwarf under the Mountain lives."

The Elvenking nodded, turned to his son and then left, Lovell mockingly waved at him as he disappeared around the stone and wilted when she felt large, warm hands fall onto her shoulders, she took a deep breath and tilted her head back to see Legolas looking down at her, his piercing blue eyes made her feel even smaller than usual. He looked like he had been strolling through the woods, not fighting for his life and she ignored the way his eyes trained on Tauriel and Kili because he had obviously liked Tauriel and seeing her with the Dwarf only showed him what he didn't want to see.

"You have gravely upset my friend, disappearing as you did."

In response, she pointed towards the sweet couple, "Excuse me, I have to go and cause a scene." but his hands stayed on her shoulders, keeping her in place and she sighed, "I'll apologise to him later okay? Promise." He stared at her a little longer, before nodding and letting her go Merlin, did he have to hold her so tightly? She was going to bruise and she jumped at the feeling of another set on hands on her shoulders, only these ones were more feminine. Lovell felt herself being turned around until she faced Tauriel, who gave her a smile and placed one of her hands on her head. Kili stood beside her with a smile.

"My Uncle is alive?"

"Yes, Hermione helped him out, he's with Bilbo and the others."

"Thank you, for what you did. I was not happy about it, but I understand why you did it."

"Oh, you're welcome."

Anything else that might have been mentioned was cut off by a familiar voice calling out, and she turned to see the Elf that Legolas had spoken of, Elros, coming around the stone and taking large steps before stopping beside her, he spoke to Tauriel in hushed tones before nodding, placing another hand on her shoulder and leading her away from Kili and Tauriel, "We are going to see the King Under The Mountain." Lovell only wished people would stop grabbing her by her shoulders, Merlin only knows how sore they would be in the morning. The Elf didn't let go of her shoulder, not when they stumbled down the hill, not when they walked towards Erebor and not when they were stood in the midst of Dwarves, Elves and men. His hand stayed on her shoulder as though he were afraid she would disappear again if he were to let go. Lovell felt guilty, but she had been doing something good, if he had asked, she would have told him to come with her, but he had looked so relieved to be with his people that it seemed horrid to pull him away from that.

The watched as Thorin was crowned as King, the announcement of a larger and grander ceremony soon whispered around them. Even when Elros was drawn into conversation with Elves that approached, his hand moved instead to lace her arm though this and she naturally ignored the sly looks that Hermione and Tauriel shot at her, the confused looks from the Elves and intrigued looks from everyone else. He looked unfazed by the looks, and to her horror, in some cases, looked quite smug when he saw the two of them being looked at.

It was true what they said, no matter the race, all males were the same.

Chapter 13: Everything After.

Notes:

Re-write 12/07/2020

Chapter Text

Everything that had happened after Thorin was crowned King, blurred together quite nicely. She and Hermione had been given a lovely room that overlooked the surrounding area, Hermione had finally worn Gandalf down enough that he agreed to speak with her about anything that she liked. The Dwarves had been confused and almost scandalised by their request of sharing a room, and were only calmed when it was explained to be a normal occurrence where they came from. It was a large room, with a large bed and lovely furniture placed around, it was almost too big until Lovell reminded herself of everything they had to sort out in their bags and was thankful for the extra space. Hermione being gone was why Lovell found herself in their room alone, washing in the bathroom that was built into the stone wall, separated only by a movable screen, she had conjured a mirror to make sure that she removed every single bit of dirt and grime from her body. Her wound was healing, but still looked a bit red, almost like it was infected, but it was something she could ask Hermione about when she came back later tonight.

She had just finished wrapping a clean robe around her when a knock echoed through the room, she glanced around before making her way towards it, she wasn’t expecting anyone, Hermione wasn’t going to be finished with Gandalf for a few more hours and most of those she knew, wouldn’t have knocked before walking in. So when she opened the door, just enough to see who was there and recognised him, she opened the door fully with a smile.

“Elros? What are you doing here?”

He looked unamused by her, his face quickly losing the pleasant look and replaced by an annoyed one, had she ever seen this Elf smile? Was he scared his face would crack if he did? He all but pushed his way into her room, moving her as he did so and slammed the door shut behind him. He had cleaned himself up, looking just as put together and tidy as he had when she first met him.

“A young lady should not open the door in nothing but her robe, especially when she does not know who if knocking.”

He placed his own cloak down before looking around the room, grabbing a thick black blanket off of a chair and throwing it around her, “But I knew it was you! That’s why I opened the door!” her voice came out muffled from the thickness of the blanket, “Not that it’s any of your business, who I do and don’t let into my room.”

He didn’t look amused, but then again, she wasn’t sure that she had ever seen him smile, it a smirk counted as a smile then yeah, there was a chance that was the only thing close to a smile that he’d given her, he all but pushed her back into her room, before rushing to close it behind him, “A young woman should open the door dressed in nothing but a robe.” He’d turned away from her now, looking around before grabbing a thick blanket and throwing it over her, she struggled under the weight for a second, “I knew it was you, I looked before opening the door wide!” her voice was muffled from the thickness of the blanket. He made a displeased noise, “Not that it’s any of your business, who I do and don’t let into my room.” Her head popped out now, and the look that she shot her, made her want to take it back, but she wasn’t about to let this Elf speak to her like that.

His face went from somewhat pleasant to look like he stepped in shit, she was surprised when he all but pushed his way into her room and slammed the door shut behind him, “A young woman should not open the door in nothing but her robe, even more so when she does not know who is knocking.” He began looking around the room, before grabbing a thick blanket and all but throwing it around her. He held something in his hands, not that she could get a good look now, with the blanket slowly consuming her.

“But I only opened it a bit and I knew it was you.”

Her voice came out muffled, he let out a sound of displeasure, “Not that it’s any of your business, who does and doesn’t come into my room.” He wasn’t her fucking father, even he didn’t speak to her like she was a toddler. 

She’d irritated him, anyone with half a brain would have been able to see it. His eyes had darkened, and instead of the semi-relaxed posture he had, he was now stood straight as a board, crossing his arms in front of his chest and narrowing his eyes at her, “My King entrusted you into my care, and I will not fail because you are unable to look after your own wellbeing.” She’d thrown the blanket off of herself by now, glaring at him, she wasn’t in the mood for an argument with someone who had been tasked with basically keeping her prisoner, “You mean he trusted you to keep me locked up? Thank you, but if that’s all you’re here for, you can leave.” She pointed towards the door, but from the look on his face, he wasn’t planning on going anywhere, he instead, sat down on her bed, keeping his arms folded against his chest, and keeping his eyes on her.

She was a Thomas, she had faced worse from the other Purebloods at Hogwarts, and if he thought he was scaring her, then he was dead wrong. Her brother had taught her to always stand her ground, especially when faced with a man trying to tell her what to do, in this case, an Elf, but the advice still stood. Lovell could almost see her brothers disapproval as she lowered her arms, 

“I can do this all day,” his ear twitched, but he didn’t avert his eyes from her, “So good luck.” She walked backwards until her legs hit a chair, where she sat herself down with a smile and the blanket across her lap and started looking at her nails. So when she glanced back up she was surprised, instead of looking annoyed, if anything, he began to look more arrogant, sitting there, a smirk gracing his far too attractive features, “I do not need sleep as you do, I too can do this all day.” He started making himself comfortable on her bed, his boots coming off and resting on her bed.

“Hermione’s not going to be happy when she finds you here.”

“You will be sharing a room? That is uncommon.”

“Not that it’s any of your business.”

His eyes trailed over her face, taking in how different she looked since she’d left him in the middle of the battle, he had been terrified and then angry. She had abandoned him, after everything he had done to keep her from harm, he wanted nothing more than to shake her and ask her why? Why had she not asked him to come with her? Had he not protected her from threats, helped her when she needed it most? She looked tired, small cuts on her face and bruises on her legs. He would offer her the bed if she would answer his questions, he did not need sleep to function as mortals did. 

“Why?”

“Why, what?"

“You left, without telling anyone where you were going or what you were doing. You could have been killed or worse, captured.”

Lovell almost felt like a child then, he was concerned, “I wasn’t thinking, I only wanted to help Thorin and the others, you were too far away and the Elves needed your help more than I did.” but she wasn’t about to let him guilt her into feeling bad for leaving, she didn’t really owe him anything.

The same thing over and over again, Lovell’s face was flushed red and she could feel magic swirling around them, all the while Elros looked as though he were merely watching, not a hair out of place, he looked quite happy and comfortable. The arguing was only broken by the sound of more knocking, Elros didn’t even bother putting his boots back on before he was answering the door, he cared little for what the Dwarves or Men thought of him being in the room with the young witch. Standing outside in the corridor was a familiar Elleth, holding a pile of fabric. 

Prince Legolas had gifted this dress to the young Witch, I have come to deliver it.”

Elros was confused, Legolas would have delivered the dress himself if need be, but he himself knew that it was more that she had wanted to see him and less about the delivery of clothing for the witch that had been a prisoner. He was shocked himself, by the lack of feeling he had, if this had been a usual day, he’d have flirted and played her games, but an ugly feeling swelling inside of him when he thought of how Lovell would feel about him if she saw him doing so. 

I am sure that Lady Lovell will appreciate it .”

He ignored the look of annoyance that came over the Elleth’s face, nodded his thanks and watched as she huffed and walked away before he closed the door. He knew why it was there, not too long ago there would have been sweet words exchanged, maybe a small kiss or two, if Meludir had not gone around telling everyone of his interest in the witch that had occupied one of the Healing Rooms.

The dress he held was a lovely shade of green, it would look lovely on the witch, he knew the cut of the dress would show off the curve of her waist and the swell of her hips and he entertained the idea of refusing to allow her to wear it.

“Wow, you’re as cold as ice. She was pretty though.” 

Elros didn’t answer her, instead, he began walking towards her with the dress held up. She had not moved from her chair, legs and arms crossed. He shook his head and didn’t answer, 

“A dress has been gifted to you.”

He held the dress out to her, head tilted when she laughed, “Why in Merlin’s name do you think that’s going to fit me?” he kept the dress held out to her, the dress would fit her well, but she was so frustrating. Always talking back, never taking anything seriously. He felt the annoyance grow before he pulled the dress away and lowered his face towards her, he had not been this close to her ever, never allowed himself to put his own face so close to hers. Meludir and Feren had been correct in their observation of the witch. She was lovely from far-away but from up-close she was even more lovely.

"You will wear this dress."

"I'm not putting that on."

That must have been the last straw because as sudden as she had said it, she was being manhandled from her chair, the was dress now threw over his arm as he pushed back towards the bathroom, “You will put it on, or Valar help me, I’ll put it on you myself.” She struggled in his grip, if he had asked nicely with a smile on his face, she might have done as she was told, but then she reminded herself that she was not a child to be pushed around and told what to wear. But those thoughts did little as she was pushed back into the bathroom,  her clothes were still folded on the stone ledge from earlier, the floor still wet from her bath and had she been paying attention, she’d have seen it coming. For all of his grace in pushing her backwards, it did nothing to stop his foot from slipping in the water on the floor, sending them both to the floor, where he landed heavily on top of her.

Both cried out as their heads crashed together and Lovell saw dark sports dance in front of her eyes, the pain was quick and sharp and it felt like his head was made from stone. Never had she had something so hard smack into her, especially not on her head? Her eyes slammed shut in shock, hands flying up to clutch her head and she couldn’t even summon the energy to shout at him, she felt like the wall had come alive and punched her for bad-mouthing the Elf. she felt him pull away from her before his hands were pulling her hands away from her head, he would only yell at her if she slapped his hands away and right now, she wasn’t in the mood for any more fighting. 

“It is not so bad, sore?”

“Get off of me.”

For a moment, she thought he hadn’t heard her, but then he was rolling away and onto his feet away from her, emitting strange sounds from his mouth. She just let herself flop back onto the floor, her head pounding and she cared little for the noises he made until he was crouching beside her and upon opening her eyes, they zeroed in on the tips of his ears burning in red with embarrassment.

“Your robe.”

Lovell was sure this was a sign, Merlin was punishing her for something that she had done and there was nothing stopping the humiliation she felt bloom in her chest. Why couldn't he have landed away from her, why hadn't she closed the robe with the rope and why was he still sitting there!? He should have just let her fall, it would have been less embarrassing than this. When she glanced down her traitorous breasts were on full show as though they had the right to be! She was quick to pull the robe closed. All the while he stayed there, eyes averted and paying little attention to what had had, in her opinion, caused.

“I’ll put the dress on, just help me up and get out.”

He did so quickly, carefully helping her up and the next thing she knew, his mouth was on hers and she felt like her heart and legs were going to give out. It lasted seconds, then he was pulling away with red ears and rushing from the bathroom, without saying a word. His heart was racing, why had he done that? He should have just left her to dress alone, shouldn't have played along with her arguments.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hermione would find her a few hours later, wearing a pretty dress as her eyes stared blankly ahead. Sitting on the edge of the bed, Hermione wouldn’t have seen her had she not been looking, but now she had, she thought of nothing more than running away from the room and leaving the other alone with her thoughts. A silent Lovell was an annoying Lovell and Hermione didn’t really have the energy to deal with her and especially after her lovely chat with Gandalf. 

“What in Merlin’s name is wrong with you now?”

Hermione edged closer to the bed, before taking a deep breath and sitting beside her. The question ran through Lovell’s head, what was wrong with her? Did she really care that much about the Elf kissing and then running away from her? Yes , a traitorous little voice whispered in her head.

“Is it normal, for someone to kiss you and then, run away?”

“That Elf you were spending so much time with?” 

“The cheeky bastard came into our room, getting bossy when I didn’t want to put on this dress and then man-handled me into the bathroom, fell on me, causing me to expose my chest and then kissed me!”

Hermione fought to keep her laughter in, there were many times where she had kept her laughter inside, feeling bad for laughing at the expense of others, but this was pure gold and Merlin struck her down if she didn’t find it amusing. Her laughter exploded out of her like water, echoing off of the walls around them.

“How did your talk with Gandalf go?”

Hermione wiped the tears from her eyes, “He was happy to help us find a way home, and tell me about magical creatures here. Also, it’s so very interesting, Wizards here aren’t the same as ours because they’re some sort of other beings-”

Lovell let Hermione’s voice wash over her, half-listening to what was being said and the other part of her was focused on the best plans to avoid running into Elros again, she would pray to any God to keep him away from her now. There was no coming back from flashing and kissing him. 

“Gandalf asked if we'd like to meet a Lord Elrond? Apparently, he might be able to help.”

“I’m not going to stay here by myself, so of course I’m going to come with you.”

Hermione threw an arm around Lovell’s shoulder, before gently pulling her down to lay beside one another. Hermione could feel the dirt build up in her hair, wanting nothing more than to wash it, Lovell’s voice broke through her thoughts, “Let’s hope you do something with that monster you call hair.” Hermione responded by rolling over and on top of Lovell, trapping her beneath her, making sure to put her hair in Lovell’s face, “I haven’t had a bath yet.”

Outraged cries of disgust followed her declaration, but Hermione refused to be moved, in all honesty, she didn’t smell that bad, her clothing was mostly just covered in dirt and her hair needed a nice wash. After a period of time, she decided that Lovell had been punished enough and sat up, “The room is really nice, is the bathroom over there?”

“Yeah.”

Hermione glanced around the room, it was too big, but there was an atmosphere of comfort and she was glad they chose to room together, it would have been uncomfortable being in a room this size alone. Her main issue was clothing, her bag had everything she needed, but there would be nothing in her bag that would match with what Lovell was wearing. She hadn’t even packed any fancy clothes. Lovell must have noticed her look of concern because suddenly there was a foot being shoved into her back, "I duplicated the dress I'm wearing now, different colour of course.”

“You’ve gotten better with your duplications.”

It was a very pretty dress, a dark wine red and once she had bathed, it would feel nice to put something so beautiful on and it had been such a long time since she had worn something so fancy. She grumbled as she washed her hair, small twigs and dirt, she must have been grumbling loudly, because she could hear Lovell laughing. She dried her hair, before pulling it back into a plait, maybe she would do something else with it later, but it wouldn’t look too bad in a simple style.

“We've been invited to the celebratory feast tonight, are we going?”

Hermione looked around the privacy screen to see Lovell had sprawled across the bed with a letter in hand, “I don’t really fancy going, I’d rather sleep and then plan out what we’re going to do next.” Hermione pulled the dress into position before coming out, the dress was the perfect length, laying on her feet and only having a slight trail. 

“Yeah, I asked Gandalf to meet me early tomorrow morning, but Bilbo might stop by soon, I saw in after I finished speaking with Gandalf.”

“I’m going to stay here too then, I don’t fancy running into Elros, the humiliation is still fresh.”

Hermione was interrupted by a knock on the door, and sure enough, Bilbo was stood there looking just as clean and happy as she did and only nodded in understanding when Hermione told him that she and Lovell would be sleeping in tonight and to thank Thorin for the invitation, they would speak with everyone tomorrow. 

“That is quite alright Miss Hermione, I’ll let them know!”

Bilbo gave a quick promise of having food delivered to their room before he left, whistling down the corridor with a smile. Hermione would eat and then take a quick power nap, she needed to do some painting for her journal, everything she had seen was fresh in her mind and it needed to be documented. Hermione sighed in relief once the door closed, she made her way back to the bed, before throwing herself back onto it and she was glad that she hadn’t come because of something important, it was all because she was curious and there was nothing stopping her now, Gandalf had agreed to answer her questions, maybe she should write some down for tomorrow? Nothing over the top, just really basic questions so that if anything bad was happening back home because she had decided to leave on such short notice, she would have an excuse as to why she had done so. 

She was so lucky that she hadn’t come alone, what would she have done without Lovell by her side? Hermione turned her body towards Lovell, taking in her relaxed face and body, she was concerned with how the poison had infected her. She looked fine, but so did lots of people when they were hurt and then they were dying. There was no special hospital for Hermione to take her too, but she would research it tomorrow, make sure that she had access to medical supplies, then she would worry about everything else.

She kept her eyes trained on her friend, Lovell was good company in times like this, never asking too much or too little and always having a smile for her when things got too difficult. All the thoughts in her head that raced from day to night, Lovell was always there to listen to and answer. Her paints and journal were in her bag, but that could be left for tomorrow or later on when she had more energy.

Dark spots danced across her vision before she closed her eyes and was dead to the world, nothing would wake up her unless it was food or someone was screaming.

Chapter 14: Plans and Feelings

Summary:

Sorry for the wait~
Sorry that it's short as well, I'll make the next one longer~
Re-write 16/07/2020

Chapter Text

Hermione probably would have slept through till morning had she not woken up from her nightmare and the knocking on the door. She struggled to figure out where she was before the knocking continued, she pushed herself up from the bed, fixing her dress back into place as she did before making her way to the door. The only sounds in the room were Lovell’s breathing and the sound of her own feet on the stone floor. 

Upon opening the door, she was met by a small bearded woman, holding a tray of food, she said nothing as she bustled into the room, placed the food on the table and left. Hermione was still standing by the door, it wasn’t rude per se, but it was still uncomfortable to not be acknowledged. She shook her head before making her way to the food, it was thick looking stew and fresh bread, some type of beer was also there, but her mind was only on the food.

“I smell food.”

Ah, there she was. Lovell was never one to miss out on food, Hermione watched as she rolled out of the bed, wrapped up in a thick blanket before making her way towards her, they sat by the fire, which had dwindled, so Hermione re-lit it and they sighed in happiness. The room wasn’t cold, but it wasn’t warm enough for them.

It didn’t take long for Lovell to notice Hermione was only playing with her food, nothing was leaving the bowl and entering her mouth, so she stopped eating. There weren’t many things in the world that stopped Hermione from eating, she looked distracted/

“What’s the matter?”

“Ah.”

Hermione was embarrassed, “I just had a bad dream.” she knew it was stupid to feel like that, Lovell wouldn’t judge her for anything she had dreamed, “It was about Fred.” she took a deep breath to hold the tears at bay. It wouldn’t do well to start crying so late at night, it would mess her whole day up tomorrow and she wasn’t willing to put up with it.

“Hermione, you should stop blaming yourself for what happened. You weren’t even there when it happened.” Lovell tried very hard to stop anything other than compassion from her tone, it wouldn’t be right to make Hermoine feel bad, because she already felt bad about something that she shouldn’t, “You’re always going to feel guilty, but you should be happy that the last time you were with Fred was happy.”

“I know, it’s just that it felt so real. It’s been a long time since I last dreamt of him.”

The embarrassment was there, full force, but she couldn’t for the life of her, tell Lovell why she was. It was nothing to be ashamed of, or feel bad about. Fred had meant a lot to her when they had been together, “He held my hand and we danced, it was so real. Like it was really happening.”

“Maybe it’s time you started thinking about moving on? It can’t be doing you any good if you’ve started dreaming about him again.”

“Fred meant a lot to me, even before we dated. He was always there, teasing and smiling, joking all the time. It doesn’t feel right, just moving on like he wasn’t important.”

Lovell’s heart went out to her, it really did, but it was difficult trying to give advice to someone that didn’t know how to take it. Hermione had finally stopped playing with her food though, finally taking some bites. It was a hearty stew, Hermione would enjoy it, but even as she ate, her mind was elsewhere.

“We could have a ceremony or something, how about it?”

“I wouldn’t know what to do.”

“Well, usually there would be a body, but if you offer something up as an offering, then it would have the same meaning.”People gather to eat bread and cheese and drink wine or beer while we mourn the one we have lost. Mourners also give family gifts, such as cake or gingerbread. Before the burial, everyone eats a slice of funeral cake with mulled wine. Then, the deceased's family carried the body to the burial location.”

“None of his family are here though.”

“They had their ceremony for him, now it’s your turn. IF you have something he gave you, then we can find a lovely place to bury it, like tradition.”

“Somewhere sunny, he would have liked that.”

“Good! Now, where is my bag, I should have a book in there for the cake recipes.”

Lovell was like a hurricane as she went through her bag, throwing everything she could out onto the bed, even the books. Hermione would have been more offended, had she not felt so light with Lovell’s words. What would she have done, if Lovell had not come with her? She would have had to deal with the dreams alone, lost in memories of Fred and happier times, things that they could have done. So when Lovell held a book out to her with a smile, Hermione allowed the memories she had with Fred to come out, it wasn’t doing her any good, keeping them locked inside of her.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************


It took Lovell a lot longer to convince the Dwarves to let her use the kitchen than it should have, the kitchen was large and open, smelled like freshly baked bread and meats, once she had fully explained what she was trying to do, they had graciously allowed her to come into their space. It was very kind of them, but it wasn’t long before she was turning around with a sheepish smile and asking them for help, she hadn’t really baked before. All she had to do was tell them what she needed, reading from her book and once they were finished she had thanked them so much that they had all but thrown her from the kitchen. She only needed mulled wine now, but she felt guilty asking for anything more from the Dwarves, considering they had already done so much for her.

Which left her with only one option, asking the Elves. She had learned from Hermione that Elves really liked wine, especially the ones staying in Erebor. She had wandered around for a short while, before remembering that the Elves wouldn’t be inside, they preferred being outside and there was a courtyard that they were probably going to be. She would ask Tauriel, the sound of laughter and singing made its way to Lovell and she really didn’t want to be there, but it wasn’t about her, Hermione needed this and she was going to do it. 

Tauriel stood out like a flame in the sea of Elves, mostly because of her hair and because Kili was sitting beside her, “Tauriel!” Lovell called out to the Elf, not that she had to, Tauriel would have heard her even if she had whispered. She caught some of the Elves staring at her, but she ignored it.

“Tauriel, I’m sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if I could ask a favour?”

“Of course, ” Tauriel smiled, bright and happy, “What is it?”

“I need some mulled wine.”

“Planning on getting drunk?”

“Oh, no, ” Lovell smiled awkwardly, “It's for a ceremony Hermione and I are having, tonight.” It wasn’t her place to tell them what it was for, it was a private and intimate ceremony for Hermione’s lost love.

“Ah, no, I wish”

She and Kili laughed, while Tauriel watched with a small smile on her face, “It’s for a ceremony Hermione and I are having, tonight. I’m just missing the wine.”

Tauriel rose slowly with a smile from her seat, “Of course, I shall try and find some for you.” Lovell stood there awkwardly, the Elves were still watching her and she really wanted to be anywhere except for here, Kili was quick to pull her attention though.

“So, this ceremony. What is it?”

 “Okay, one it's none of your business and two, it’s none of your business.”

Kili huffed before smiling at her again, she felt like someone was staring at her, more intensely than the other eyes that were on her so when she turned around and made eye contact with a familiar pair of dark eyes, she was quick to turn back around and ignore him. She bounced on her feet when Tauriel returned, a bottle of mulled wine in hand and a smile. 

“Thanks for this Tauriel,”

“It is quite alright, I hope your ceremony goes well.”

As she turned and walked away, she pretended not to notice that his eyes followed after her, and so, as she turned the corner, she sped up just in case he had the brilliant idea to follow her and she wanted to be too far away for him to run after her and make a scene. There were so many things she still had to do, pick up her cakes from the kitchen, find some white robes for them both and meet Hermione back at their room and make their way to the spot that Hermione had picked out to bury Fred’s memory.

She had almost made it to the end of the corridor when a soft call of her name stopped her, it was thankfully, not the voice she was expecting to hear and when she turned around to find Tauriel making her way towards her, she was confused. Tauriel looked uncomfortable like someone had said something and was making her repeat it. It was just her luck, she was standing close to the stairs that led to her chambers. 

“Tauriel? Was there something you needed?

“I wished to speak with you,” Tauriel turned to look over her shoulder, as though she expected someone to be watching or listening, and Lovell didn’t have to be a mind reader to know who she was looking out for, “About Elros.”

“Okay, but I do have to make it quick, I still have some things to do.”

Lovell indicated for Tauriel to follow her up the stairs and to her chambers, she did glance behind her from time to time, to make sure that they really hadn’t been followed. When she opened the door, she made sure that it was clean, before inviting Tauriel in. When she looked back up, Tauriel was standing by the fireplace and Lovell was amused to see her looking around the room, taking note of the books and pots that were on the tables.


Tauriel took a deep breath before looking at Lovell, “I have been worried for you,” she sat in one of the chairs by the fireplace, “I have not seen you in a while, but I know that Elros had and he was most secretive about what happened.”

Lovell busied herself by putting the mulled wine in a lovely weaved basket, the cakes would look very pretty beside the wine. When she couldn’t do any more of that, she busied herself with cleaning the room, picking up clothes and books, she really didn’t want to speak about Elros, not when he had seen her tit and kissed her. 

“Oh, it’s nothing really,” she answered, “Just a misunderstanding.”

Tauriel nodded, but even without looking at her, Lovell could see that she was unsatisfied with the answer. There wasn’t really anything Tauriel could do to make Lovell speak about what had happened, they might have become closer, but they weren’t close enough for Lovell to be spilling her dirty little secrets too. Tauriel didn’t know her very well, but she had known Elros for a long time and considered him a close friend, she was concerned about the both of them and there was only so much prodding she could do to Elros before he lost his temper and left.

“It seems you have been avoiding one another.”

“Elros kissed me and he left.”

Tauriel’s hand flew to cover her mouth in shock, of all the things she had expected, hearing that he had kissed the witch standing in front of her was shocking and amusing. Elros was not an Elf that would walk away from a kiss, she watched as Lovell’s face flushed red and she avoided making eye contact, there must have been something else?

“He saw my breast.”

“I beg your pardon?”

Lovell violently gestured to her chest, “He saw my tit!” she slammed her hands down onto the table, her face red in embarrassment, “It was so humiliating! I didn’t even notice, he had to point it out!”

Lovell kept her head down, completely avoiding looking the female Elf in the eyes, not when she was sitting there, hand still covering her mouth and her eyes wide in shock. Lovell had done many, maybe embarrassing things in her life, but this was by far, the more horrifying. Confessing to Hermione had been a nice little thing compared to this, this was like torture. It was awful having to confess embarrassing things that had happened in front of someone that probably had never felt like that before.

“I do believe Elros enjoys your company, he finds you amusing, but perhaps you should tell him you also enjoy his?” Tauriel had started out carefully, but noticed straight away that Lovell was looking more embarrassed than she was placated, “Or perhaps, there is another reason for your bashfulness? Do you, perhaps, enjoy his company in another way?”

“What? You think I fancy him?”

Tauriel was cut off, “Just because he’s very pretty, and his face makes me want to punch it, doesn’t mean that I like him.” Lovell could feel her face burning, she was sure now, that she resembled Tauriel’s hair, “I did not say that, but you confirmed it.”

Tauriel didn’t even have time to say anything in response before Lovell was cutting her off, “Just because he’s very pretty and his face makes me feel all mushy inside, doesn’t mean that I like him!” her face was by now, the same colour as Tauriel’s hair and she sent a silent prayer to Merlin as Tauriel smiled at her.

“I did not say that, but you have confirmed it.”

Has she just been tricked? Lovell was horrified, she was quickly pulling Tauriel up from her comfy chair and towards the door, “Thanks for the lovely chat, but I’m afraid I have things to do!” Tauriel had the smile on her face the entire time, so if she was confused by the sudden change in Lovell’s attitude, she was hiding it very well.” 

“Thanks for stopping by!”

“Love-.”

“See you later, bye, bye for now!”

She threw the door open and all but shoved Tauriel out of her room and into the corridor with a fake promise of continuing the conversation another day, which was never going to happen because Lovell had seen and felt enough humiliation that it was going to last her for years. While she was contemplating her next move, Tauriel stood in the corridor staring at the door, unsure if what she was feeling was amusement or if she was insulted. But all of that washed away when she noticed the figure leaning against the wall with a frown on his ageless face. 

Elros, have you been spying ?”

Of course not,” he pushed himself away from the wall, stiff as a stone wall, “ I was only curious as to why you followed after the witch and left your Dwarf alone to search for you.”

Tauriel glanced back at the closed door with a smile, before turning back to Elros, “ I just have the most fascinating conversation with your witch,” she hid her laughter when his face slackened in horror and his ears began to turn the most flattering colour of pink.

“My witch? Excuse me Tauriel, but I am needed elsewhere.” 

He all but sprinted down the corridor and stairs, leaving Tauriel alone to plot her next move and as she turned to walk away, she couldn’t help but watch the door one last time. The young witch was so interesting, perhaps she could speak with Lovell’s friend, she must know something about what was happening. It was like watching two young children falling in love and pretending they didn’t care for one another. 

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Meanwhile, elsewhere, Hermione was sitting in Erebors vast library with Bilbo. He would be leaving very soon, as were she and Lovell. She was curious about him, having never seen or heard of Hobbits before. Gandalf had only enhanced her curiosity during their late-night conversation. 

“So, as you can see Miss. Hermione,” Bilbo’s voice cut through her thoughts, cheerful and full of life and longing for his home, “Hobbits are quiet and don’t enjoy leaving their homes.” 

Hermione shot him an amused smile as she noted what he had said in her journal, “But you were an exception weren’t you?”

“I have always been comfortable, knowing what was going to happen day after day and I was very curious what else was going on in the world.” He shot her a why smile, his cheeks flushed pink as he thought of his home, “You would very much love my home, Miss.Hermione, it is vast and green, the people kind and the food is plentiful!”

“I think I would like to see it.”

She wasn’t lying, she really did want to see his home. It sounded exactly like the place she would find some peace, she nodded to herself. Her mind made up, she was going to see Bilbo’s home and try to find the same joy he did when he thought of its fields of flowers and the trees, the rivers and the lakes. She had only ever found peace at Hogwarts, but maybe it was a time that she tried to find it somewhere else? Erebor had reminded her of Lovell’s family home, old and made of stone, the walls as cold as the family that had lived there and it had not surprised her that Lovell was so at home here. 

“Bilbo?”

He hummed at the sound of his name, face buried in an old book, “Have you ever lost someone that you loved?”

His eyebrows furrowed, she could see the cogs whirring in his head as he thought about the answer that he would give to her, “Both my mother and father, they were quite young when they passed away.”

“Oh.”

She wasn’t sure what she wanted him to say, or what she was hoping that he would say. Perhaps she had wanted to know he had lost someone like the way she had lost Fred, find someone she could speak to about the loss of love. The mention of his parents had brought her own to the forefront of her mind, even with her skills in memory charms, she had not been able to return their lost memories to them and when she had found them, they had moved on with their lives.

“Why do you ask?”

“Oh, no reason, I was just curious.”

“We shall be leaving soon,” Bilbo’s voice sounded sad, he looked around the vast library, with its dusty books and tapestries, large wooden tables and small windows, “I shall miss it, don’t you think Miss?”

“We shall be leaving this place soon,” Bilbo’s voice was sad, as he looked around the library, “I shall miss it, don’t you think Miss. Hermione?”

“I think I will too.”

A quiet call of her name pulled her away from Bilbo and away from her journal, Lovell was standing at the entrance to the library, waving her arms to call her over, with a sigh, s he gave her goodbyes to Bilbo and made her way towards Lovell. who was standing there with a smile on her face and her hair pulled up in a sloppy bun.

“I’ve gotten everything ready,” Lovell told her, pulling at the end of her hair, “I was wondering if you were too?”

“I have everything we need, you just have to change your clothes ” Lovell gave her a smile, tugging at the ends of her hair, “I was wondering if you were ready?”

Hermione nodded her head, “I’ve found something to bury for him and I think I’m ready to say goodbye now.” 

Lovell gave her a smile, before grabbing her hand and pulling her away from the library and back to their room, there were white robes laid out on the bed for them and then they could get on with the ceremony. It was nice, Lovell thought to herself if Hermione would think about Fred without being weighed down with guilt. 

Chapter 15: Warmth and Goodbyes

Notes:

Surprise bitch, bet you thought you'd seen the last of me, *flips hair*
sorry for the late update, uni has me feeling all sorts of things, but now it's over and I'm free~
Please enjoy~
Re-write 19/07/2020

Chapter Text

 

Hermione let Lovell lead her away from the looming mountain doors, they moved quickly towards the town of Dale, where the people seemed to have settled in rather quickly and happily. But that was now the destination Lovell was actually heading for, instead she had found a lovely little enclosure where the sun shone brightly and she had instantly thought that it would be the perfect place for their ceremony to begin. There had only been a little bit of cleaning she had to do, mostly for the aesthetic. She had even charmed a pretty little bench against the wall for them to sit in, if they wished to.

“It’s not really the best place, but isn’t it pretty?”

Hermione knew Lovell was nervous, with the way she shifted from foot to foot and tugged at the ends of her hair. She held her woven basket in one hand and a shovel was leaning against the wall. She noticed the beautifully decorated jewelled box that Lovell had charmed to keep her little necklace inside, Lovell had said that if anyone were to uncover it, they would only find an old stone or something.

“It’s perfect.”

Lovell beamed at her, “Usually you would give a speech or something, but because this is more of a personal ceremony you can just imagine what you want to say inside, okay?”

Hermione nodded her head, before closing her eyes and thinking about Fred. He had told her a few months before her Fifth Year that he liked her, but during that time her mind was fixated on Ron and she had thought she loved him. It was when Ron had begun noticing other girls and she had finally noticed Fred. They’d had a secret romance at the Order Headquarters and continued it when Fred and George had left Hogwarts early.  She thought about all the things they would talk about, dreams of the future and what they wanted to do. Hermione could feel her face heating up when she thought of the other things they had done together. Fred had never wanted to hold her back, only wanted to see her do her part in changing the Wizarding World’s views on MuggleBorn witches and wizards, and change how they viewed Magical Creatures. Fred would have never held her back from wanting to do things, he probably would have followed her here if he had been able to.

Lovell had begun digging a small hole to put the jewelled box into, she didn’t know what Hermione was thinking about, or even if she wanted to know. Lovell hadn’t really known Fred, only greeting him in passing when she was with Hermione, he had seemed nice enough and Hermione had always beamed with pride when she spoke about him. If Lovell was being totally honest, she hadn’t expected Hermione to pick someone like Fred, he was so different compared to her, had different ambitions and goals in life. But they fit together in a sort of odd little jigsaw that maybe shouldn’t, but nobody could say no.

Hermione was still lost in thought when Lovell glanced up at her, staring into nothing. Fred had made Hermione carefree and less uptight, caring more about creating bonds and less about the homework that wasn’t due for another month or so, Lovell would always be thankful to Fred for breaking Hermione away from what was expected of her and following her own path. Once the box was no longer visible, Lovell waved her wand and a pretty little tree began growing out of the ground, just in case Hermione wanted to come back before they left and went back home.

Hermione was pulled away from her thoughts by a tugging on her arm, noticing now that Lovell had buried her box and she let herself be tugged towards a white bench that Lovell must have set up for them to finish the ceremony. Cakes and mulled wine came from the basket and Hermione was grateful for the quietness of the place, there was only the sound of birds and the wind. She was more thankful for her friend now than she thought she ever had been, Lovell knew that silence didn’t have to be filled and there was nothing awkward about them just sitting there and basking in the closure that had just happened. Hermione wasn’t really saying goodbye to Fred, because she knew that when she left the world, she would see him again. There was nothing wrong with closure and moving on in life, Fred wouldn’t have wanted her to wallow away and not meet someone else, get married and get her dream job at the Ministry. He probably would have followed her here, if he could have. 

They left when the sun began to set, drifting back to Erebor with small smiles and hopes for whatever would happen when they left with Gandalf and Bilbo, Hermione could feel her journal singing to be filled with paintings and notes, would the Elves be opposed to sitting for some quick paintings? Did Elves even do those things and Hermione lost herself to those exciting thoughts while a smile on her face and lightness in her steps.

 

****************************************************************************************************

Lovell woke up a little later than she usually would, rolling onto her side and looking over to the snoring woman knocked out beside her. They had both been up quite late, talking and maybe indulging in some more wine than they really should have. Lovell rolled onto her back, before shuffling towards the edge of the bed, throwing her legs over before until her lower body was almost on the floor and then let herself fall into a heap on the floor. Her head popped back up and looked over, making sure that her strange body movements hadn’t woken the other woman up. She cleaned up, changed her clothes and tip-toes towards the door, before glancing back one more time and closing it.

The corridor was empty because it was so early and most of the inhabitants of Erebor would be asleep still. The place had been cleaned thoroughly, any damage that couldn’t be fixed was covered with beautiful tapestries. Had they been hung anywhere else, they might have been over the top, but they were so detailed and over the top that Lovell couldn’t imagine them being anywhere except for here. Would they be opposed to maybe making her a small one that she could take home? Probably, but the chances were, she was still going to ask when she saw someone later. She followed the corridor down the stairs and back outside to where she had seen the Elves, they had cleaned the area of most of the belongings but they weren’t leaving until the next day, from what she had seen of the Elvenking, he had been rather desperate to leave and the fact that he was still here was outstanding.

She spotted Tauriel and Kili quickly, mostly because as usual, they were sitting together. Lovell would have been worried something was wrong if they hadn’t been together, she knew it was because the Elves were leaving tomorrow, they wanted to spend time together until they could see each other again. Tauriel was quick to raise her hand, beckoning Lovell over to her and Kili, she still felt uncomfortable, the Elves staring at her and they weren’t even embarrassed about getting caught, it was mind-boggling. She took a seat in front of them, giving them a quick hello, before trying to discreetly see if the Elf she had been avoiding was around, she thanked Merlin when she didn’t see him.

“How are you today Lovell?”

“Oh, I’m fine and you?”

They exchanged pleasantries until the conversation died out, Kili was the only one trying to keep it going, but Lovell was more than happy with the lack of conversation. Until Lovell decided that maybe it was rude, to just be sitting with people and not saying anything, so he gave Tauriel a bright smile.

“You’re leaving soon?”

Tauriel nodded her head, eyes drifting towards Kili who was too busy munching on a rather thick slice of bread but Tauriel turned to face her fully with a smile,  “Yes, tomorrow, we will make way for our home.”

“Hermione and I are leaving as well.”

Tauriel raised an eyebrow in question, “Hermione really wants to see more of this place, Gandalf offered to take us to meet someone called Lord Elrond, she’s trying to fill up another journal before figuring a way back.”

Lovell stretched her legs out, with a sigh, “But maybe I’ll stay in Mirkwood, I didn’t get to see much of it and if you’re there, it’ll be even better.” Lovell felt like a child saying that but it was true, Tauriel seemed like she would be an amazing person to take a tour with and a part of her wanted to ask and see if she’d want to travel even further with her and Hermione. But that would probably mean Kili would come along and she couldn’t handle that.

Tauriel gave a smile, she knew Lovell would want to stay in Mirkwood to see her home and though she said it was because she herself would be there, Tauriel knew that a part of her wanted to see Elros as well. Their home was not as beautiful as it once was, birds no longer sang and the animals no longer roamed, but in its own way, it still had a beauty about it.

“I would be glad to show you my home.”

Lovell responded with a shy smile, Tauriel could understand why Elros was so entranced by the witch, she was an unusual beauty in her own right. Nothing like the Elleths that she knew, one of the many reasons he wanted her so much. She just, for the life of her, couldn’t understand their reluctance to be around one another, they avoided each other as though one were infected.

“Well, just a warning. I am very annoying.”


“No more so than Kili is.”

 Kili who had by now finished his bread was quick to rush to his own defence, which caused quite the commotion in the otherwise quiet place. But this was not something Lovell was unused to, her own brothers were quick to annoy and jump to their own defence in the same way, she thrived off of the chaos of such things and she only smiled and taunted him in return. Tauriel meanwhile, was quite enjoying herself, Kili had called this ‘banter’ not something she was unused to, but it was different from how Elves would tease one another.

She, of course, knew that the eyes burning into the back of her head could be dealt with later, why he didn’t come out and speak to her himself was beyond Tauriel, but she watched and Lovell turned towards her with a bright smile, which faded into a pale face and a quick wave of her hand as she said there were things she needed to do. She vanished quickly around the corner and Tauriel turned an accusing eye towards the dark-haired Elf standing against the wall behind her. 

****************************************************************************************************

 Hermione had gotten used to waking up next to Lovell, her body like a heater and so it was a surprise when she woke up cold and noted that she must have left earlier. They wouldn’t be here much longer, her eyes trailed along the clothing and books laid out around the room, it would be annoying to clean it all up, but it wouldn’t be right to leave it in such a mess. Her journal was open on the table in front of the fireplace, she had noted down and drawn little things here and there, but it was still so empty and it called out to be filled. She had just gotten out of bed and was halfway to pulling her bag out from under the bed when Lovell came rushing in, panting and red in the face. 

She didn’t need to have vast intelligence to know why she was running around like that.

“Are you packing already?”

Hermione nodded her head as she shoved some clothes into the bag, “Yeah, Gandalf is planning to stop in Mirkwood for a short while and see from there.” it was the books she placed in gently, clothes could be replaced easily here but her books couldn’t and she wasn’t about the risk running some of her favourite books because she was in a rush.

“Okay, I told Tauriel I was going to stay for a while anyway, I wanted to see what it had to offer.”

“Mirkwood, or Tauriel?” Hermione laughed at the look of shock on Lovell’s face, still flushed red and her breathing was fast, “I’m only joining Lovell.”

Instead of answering, Lovell threw her middle finger up at her before beginning to pack her own bag. All the essentials would be left out, but almost everything else could be packed away, but Hermione was stopped when Lovell’s voice rang out, “Hermione?”

“Yeah?

“Why are we packing the Muggle way? We have wands for these things.”

Hermione scoffed in response,
“Lovell, you’re such a snob.” before going back to her own bag and ignoring the insulted voice in the background.

 

Chapter 16: Hermione

Notes:

Re-write 21/07/2020

Chapter Text

 

Hermione glanced around the library, Gandalf was a bit late and she wasn’t really sure what she wanted to ask him, there were many things she was curious about, but she only wanted to know about him and magic. Everything else could be discovered while they travelled, so instead she focused her attention on the book laid out in front of her. Though she couldn’t read it, the artwork was beautiful and she made her own quick sketches from them, they would look lovely once the information was translated. Maybe Gandalf would do that for her, just to be nice. She missed being in libraries like this, nobody to bother her and all this knowledge waiting to be devoured by an eager young mind. It was the same feeling she had when she had first entered the library at Hogwarts, an almost unusual feeling of belonging, something she hadn’t really felt since before she, Ron and Harry had gone on the run all those years ago.

She became sad whenever she thought about them, while she had stayed the same since that time, they had moved on and done incredible things. In a sense, she felt as though they had left her behind to fend for herself in a world that she was still trying to figure out. But those thoughts shut themselves away when the library door opened and Gandalf came strolling through the door, grey robes billowing out behind him and his staff in hand.

“Ah, Miss. Hermione, you are early.”

“Sorry.”

“No need.”

He sat himself down in front of her, leaning his staff against the wall beside him, before placing his hands on the table and looking at everything she had spread around the table, which she quickly tried to clean up. Her journal remained open, with her pens lined up neatly beside it. When she glanced back up, Gandalf had a small smile on his face as he ran a hand through his thick, grey beard.

“Now Miss. Hermione, should we begin?”

Hermione lost herself in Gandalf’s story about Middle Earth, almost forgetting to write anything down until he looked down at her empty journal and her face had heated up in surprise, before she hastily wrote everything he had told her down. She found out that he was one of five Wizards in Middle Earth, having been sent to help in defeating something known as ‘Sauron’. She wanted to ask about it, but maybe that was a story for another time but she still wrote the name down, circling it in a thick red circle.

“What about your magic?”



“I have both powers that are innate, and powers acquired, one would say from an external source, all sentient beings possess powers, I am known also for my wisdom, shapeshifting, immortality, foresight, equanimity and enchantment. But my abilities as an Istari are acquired, I believe, just as your people do, I have learnt over time to harness and grow my magic.”

Then suddenly, his face became cheeky and he leant in towards her, “I am also known for my fireworks!”

He seemed so proud of himself, laughing at her confusion, his pride in his fireworks was probably because it was something he had learnt himself, Hermione doodled a little firework next to his name. He seemed happy enough to speak with her about these things, but the look he had when he mentioned ‘Sauron’ wasn’t one she was eager to see, so she stopped herself from asking like she wanted to.

“Now Miss. Hermione, you seemed to possess your own magical abilities, would you mind telling me more?”

“The school that I attended taught us magic, you may be enrolled at birth and acceptance is confirmed by letters age eleven. Nobody in my family’s magic at all, it was such a surprise when I got my letter, but I was ever so pleased, of course, I mean, it’s the very best school of witchcraft there is. There was finally an answer to how I was doing all of these strange things. It’s big and scary looking, a jumble of towers, which is held up with the help of magic.”

“Why do your people keep yourselves hidden?”

Hermione tapped her pen against her lip before answering, “Well because we were hunted, people who are different stand out and it’s almost human nature to repel anything that is different. Being different is enough to get my people killed or atleast being oppressed. It is a basic instinct of humans to get threatened by what is different from the normal.”

He seemed shocked by her explanation, “Fascinating.” had she not been looking at him, Hermione would have thought he was uninterested and was only trying to keep her occupied. He nodded his head at her, signalling that their conversation was over, they said their goodbyes before leaving. Hermione towards her chambers and Gandalf to Merlin knows where. When she entered the room, it was to the sight of Lovell laying face down in their bed, legs dangling off of the bed.

“What’s the matter with you?”

“I can’t believe he saw my breast.”

Hermione had to stop herself from rolling her eyes, of course Lovell was still thinking about that Elf, she placed her journal on the table before throwing herself onto the bed side the other woman and patting her on the back.

“I’ll never live this down.”

Lovell rolled onto her back and stared up at Hermione, “Never leave me alone with him.” Hermione laughed before agreeing, getting up to change into her night clothes, Lovell just sighed before joining her. Their bag was packed, everything they needed had been packed away and they would leave tomorrow. Gandalf had been kind enough to allow her time to speak with him the night before they were leaving, just to confirm their plans and make sure that they were on the same wave-length about what was going to happen.

The next day saw them all ready to leave, Hermione was excited, having not had the chance to truly explore Mirkwood and there were so many things about the place that scream out to be explored. Then they would make their way to Rivendell, where Hermione knew that Lord Elrond lived, having heard about him from Gandalf, she didn’t want to be too excited about meeting him, because he might not trust her enough to tell her anything, but no matter, there were plenty of things that drew her attention in this world. Hermione was surprised that she felt sad about leaving Erebor, maybe because it had reminded her so much of Hogwarts and it was likely she wouldn’t ever come here again. The Dwarves had come to say their goodbyes, talking over one another and reminding the two witches to be careful around the Elves. Even the King had come, nodding at them but focusing his attention on Bilbo, who had been crying since the moment he saw the Dwarves lined up and waiting. 

“Are you ready?”

Hermione pulled her bag over her shoulder, “Yes, and I can’t wait to stretch my legs and Gandalf isn’t going to be distracted by anyone, so I can ambush him.”

Hermione took off in a light jog towards Gandalf and Lovell rolled her eyes, she felt sorry for the old Wizard in that moment, he was going to regret letting Hermione know he was open to talking to her about anything she wanted. She ignored the huff Gandalf gave when she came towards him, stopping with a bright smile in his direction, Lovell had waved goodbye towards the Dwarves before rushing after Hermione.

“Hermione wait for me, I have small legs!”

 

Chapter 17: Hermione.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Here you have it Hermione, Lovell and others. What do you think?

girls

 

 

The walk to Dale did not take them as long as they had first assumed, but with the way Lovell had thrown her bag onto the floor and all but collapsed? Hermione would have thought she had been walking for days upon days. Lovell had not done as much walking as Hermione had done in the past few years and it was beginning to show, Gandalf had come over quite quickly to let them know that they were going to be leaving soon and continue onto Mirkwood, Hermione was very excited. Lovell was less so. The Elf King just needed a few more words with Bard and then they would be leaving, Hermione had already begun writing in her journal. Quick pencil sketches of the surroundings filled the pages alongside her notes. She might have to try and find her watercolours, because some of these deserved to have colour in them.

They were undisturbed save for the Elves that walked past them, or the Hobbit who had all but followed Lovell’s example and fallen down onto the ground. Until an Owl flew over head and dropped a letter onto Hermione’s lap, causing her to jump and ruin the sweet sketch of Bilbo she had been doing. He was laying against his pack, legs crossed over one another and pipe hanging from his mouth.

The letter had only one word scrawled out onto it. In very familiar writing.

Sorry.

It was obvious who it was from, did that stop the anger from building up inside of her? No. Did it cause her to curse him and wish him much pain? Yes.

“It’s from Sirius.”

“Oh, ew what does that little traitor want?”

“He’s just saying sorry.”

Hermione had no time to react when Lovell reached over and set the letter on fire with a huff of a curse and nothing more. She flipped onto her side and Hermione let her be, it was still quite raw that a man she had trusted had all but turned around and abandoned them in a world they knew nothing about and they could have been killed!

Well there was no reason to keep crying over spilt milk.

It was the hasty sound of footsteps that had her looking up into Bilbo’s weary and tired eyes, they were leaving and neither of them wanted to be left behind by the more vertically inclined people. Hermione figured that it would take more than a few hours to get to Mirkwood, more but no more than two days. Hermione pulled Lovell up from the ground, ignoring her grunts and whines of protest, it would be a nice walk, and her journal was itching to be used. 


They hoisted their bags back onto their backs, Lovell grumbled as she did so but Hermione had become very talented at blocking those sounds out. Her enthusiasm made Bilbo smile, and they talked as they made their way back towards Gandalf and Hermione glanced over her shoulder to make sure that Lovell was actually following them. 

*********************************************************************************************************

Hermione had almost been right, it had taken them less than two days to finally reach the borders of Mirkwood. The forest would have been beautiful if not for the darkened and sick looking trees that seemed to go on for miles and miles. It was very similar to the forbidden forest, she just hoped there weren’t any spiders hiding up in those shadowy leaves. 

The Elves had walked at a much slower pace, to make it easier for their injured, and in doing so it allowed Hermione and Gandalf to talk about everything that came to her mind. He was more than happy to answer any questions that she had, a smile in his eyes as he puffed on his pipe. 

“Miss Hermione, I heard you speaking with Miss Lovell about your family. Will they not be worried about you?”

“I don’t have much contact with them anymore.”

Speaking about her parents didn’t make her chest constrict in pain, but her chest still felt uncomfortable when she allowed herself to think about them. The look of betrayal and anger in their eyes after she had found them in Australia and told them about what she had done. They still sent her cards on birthdays and christmas, but they refused to answer her calls. Lovell had been a pillar of support during the difficult time, and even now when she felt the smaller hand on her back, it brought her back to the present.

“Well, you are a very intelligent and kind woman Miss Hermione and they should be ashamed of themselves.”

Her face warmed at the praise from Gandalf’s mouth, “I did something I thought would keep them safe, but I never thought to ask them how they would feel and well, they still send me a card on my birthday but I barely speak to them.” 

Bilbo only echoed Gandalf’s words, nodding his head and gesturing towards her with his pipe in hand. He was very passionate, and Hermione could feel the many eyes looking at the four of them in curiosity. Lovell’s hand was a warm reminder on her back, she might not have her parents anymore, but she was still lucky enough to have her friend by her side. 

“And you Miss Lovell? What about your family?”

“I have eight older brothers, I met Hermione in school and we’ve been friends for a long time,” she came to stand closer to Hermione, “Some might say, too long.”

Hermione pushed her away with a laugh, “That was me, I said that.” it was all in good humour, they were close and there was no denying it. But there had been times that she felt they were too close. They lived together, ate together and did almost everything in their daily lives alongside one another and Hermione knew that they had given the impression of being in a relationship on more than one occasion. 

Lovell threw her head back with a loud laugh, Hermione liked this, travelling with a friend and meeting new people. She would have liked to leave out the whole travelling to another world, but beggars can’t be choosers, but she missed her bathroom. She would kill for a bubble bath right now, she could sit back and relax with a lovely glass of wine and she might even get able to get Lovell to come and read to her. A nice muggle novel and watch Lovell’s face concourt in confusion of the plot, she was lucky that they had baths here and she could  get Lovell to read something to her.

“Your face is doing something strange, what are you plotting now?”

Hermione laughed and shook her head, “Nothing, can you read to me later?” Lovell made a good show of pretending to think about it, secretly Hermione knew the other witch very much enjoyed reading muggle books, so very different from the books she had grown up reading. So she was quick to agree with Hermione’s request. It set Hermione at ease and so she looked around her, there were injured Elves in carts and those walking, and she could see Tauriel upfront, standing out with her bright red hair and the all to familiar Elf that had caused lovell so many issues over the past few weeks. 

“You’re going to talk to him, right?”

Lovell’s eyes flickered in the Elf’s direction.

“You can’t stay in Mirkwood and not run into him. You’re going to have to speak to him eventually. Not speaking to him could make things much worse.”

“Worse? Hermione, he saw my bloody nipple.”

They weren’t having a private conversation, but both seemed to forget that everyone that surrounded them had excellent hearing. Hermione cackled as Gandalf and Bilbo made a hasty getaway, Bilbo’s ear pink with embarrassment at hearing Lovell’s statement. Gandalf shot them a very unhappy look as they did so and Hermione laughed even harder.

“Mention nipples and suddenly they’re flying away.”

The weather was very nice, Hermione was glad because she wouldn’t know how Lovell would react if she had to walk in the cold and rain as well. She’d been forced to take her jacket off a while ago, getting too warm and the light breeze that would come suddenly was a nice addition to the warm weather. It was the sound of little angry grunts that caught her attention. She was amused when looking back, seeing Lovell struggling to pull her jumper over her head and Hermione made her way over to help her, but the sight of Lovell bent at the waist with the jumper caught around her head was enough to stop her. 

“Your head is too big,” Hermione laughed, “That’s why it got stuck.”

Lovell ripped the jumper off at Hermione’s statement, who looked delighted at the sight of her usually composed friend looking so very undone. Her face was flushed pink from the struggle, her ponytail was almost undone and she was out of breath. She was very quick to express her anger at Hermione with a very colourful display of muggle swearing.

“Now, now, no need for such crass behavior.” 

Hermione flounced away with a skip, leaving Lovell to send some very unfriendly gestures at her. Before she shoved the jumper into her bag and followed after her, she fixed her clothing as she walked. Brushing off dust that wasn't there, but it was mostly to distract herself from the eyes she could feel on her at all times, and the few times she had caught him looking, he had the nerve to not look away! He would watch her get all flustered and then look away, a small smirk on the corner of his mouth and she wanted nothing more than to wipe the smug look off of his face.

Notes:

Updated 26/11/20

Chapter 18: Calm.

Notes:

Smut (badly written but it's there)

updated 27/11/20

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Hermione was so used to always being around Lovell, and sharing a room with her that when she was given her own space, it was stange. 

She felt alone.

Hermione knew that Lovell was just across the hall, possibly feeling the exact same thing that hermione was feeling. A strange sense of loneliness while knowing she wasn’t truly alone, it was strange. The room was not huge, but large enough for one person and possibly two with comfort. The bed was against the wall, walls an emerald green and it screamed comfort, there was an overstuffed chair and it was so inviting that she didn’t even stop herself from falling into it. 

The window offered her a lovely view of Mirkwood, there were even dresses in the small wardrobe, beautiful and flowy dresses that made her feel like a little girl again, playing dress up and pretending to be a princess. Her hands had fallen on a beautiful dusty pink dress with flowing sleeves, it was so comfortable and she had all but thrown it on. She knew that she couldn’t stay in the chair all day, so she pushed herself up and unpacked her bag. Books found their home on the wooden bookshelf and her journal on the desk in front of the window, Hermione knew she could picture herself sitting there and just drawing. She might even have to get a new journal.

She had just made the final touches when an Elf knocked on her door, a message from the King inviting her to dinner. She was polite, but complained while getting ready about being left with him, she hoped Lovell had also gotten an invite. Being left alone with the Elven King was a nightmare, he looked far too similar to Draco Malfoy and his father for her comfort, maybe it wasn’t his fault, but it didn’t stop her from not liking him.

While leaving the room, Hermione saw Tauriel standing outside of Lovell’s room, obviously waiting for her to finish getting ready. She was shown to the hall where they would be having dinner, it was open and warm, nothing like she had seen before. The Elven King was sitting at the head of a long wooden table, there was only his son sitting there as well, he irattated her too. His face and the way he looked at her.

He gestured to the seat by his side, where she was quick to sit when he glared at her and she noticed another empty chair beside his son, it must have been for Lovell and two more empty seats one beside her and the other by Lovell. Both father and son had been in conversation before she came closer, clamming up as though she had interrupted quite the argument. But it wasn’t her fault, if they were going to argue they should do so in their own time, and not when people are coming to eat with them. She opened her mouth to speak but the sound of heated voices coming closer caused her to shut her mouth, it was definitely Lovell and the other voice could only be Tauriel.

Hermione’s eyes glances over towards the King, who only looke amused.

“I am telling you Lady Lovell it did not happen like that.”

“How could you possibly know?! You were at the bottom of the cliff!”

Lovell and Tauriel came storming into the room, well Tauriel came gliding into the room because she was very grateful and an Elf, while it was more Lovell stomping and ranting coming through the doors. It wasn’t long before Hermione found herself being zeroed in on, Lovell came rushing over and she could feel the migraine pulsing deep inside of her head. 

“Hermione, please explain to Tauriel here that I did not, in fact, try and throw myself off of an edge of a cliff to save her.”

“But you did.”

“Hermione!”

Hermione turned her attention back to the King, who had gone from looking mildly amused and more annoyed, she could tell because his eyebrows had started coming together.

“Shall we”?

Lovell sat in her seat with her arms crossed and a pout on her face. Gandalf and Bilbo had followed not far behind Lovell and Tauriel, wine and food came out and it was like nothing was awkward anymore. Hermione finally had a lovely glass of wine in her hand, good food and somewhat good company. 

The rest of the meal went by quite quickly, they even had music being played and Gandalf decided to share some stories about the journey he and Bilbo had been on and some from when Bilbo was a child (which had been less than well received by the Hobbit) which had caused Lovell to choke on her wine and laugh. Gandalf seemed very pleased with himself.

But she was tired, so tired she could feel it in her bones. In a few days she would leave with Gandalf and Bilbo, it made sense for Lovell to stay here. This is where the portal had dropped them, it would be best if one of them stayed just in case. Hermione knew that Lovell would be fine, she had learned to keep most of her opinions to herself and not cause trouble for anyone, but Hermione had an idea that she would be very happy to piss off that Elf (Elros she reminded herself).

Hermione and Loell excused themselves a few hours later, both leaving the hall with their feet dragging. She had asked an Elf earlier to have a bath, being told it was unusual for a bath to be taken in the bedroom but it was there, when she opened the door with lovell trailing behind her. 

With the water heated, some drops of lavender and a book placed in Lovell’s hand, Hermione was set for the rest of the night. She let out a sigh of content once her body was encased in hot water, and Lovell began to read from the book that had been shoved into her hands. Hermione barely paid any attention to what was being said, for too comfortable and relaxed to do anything but close her eyes.

She had missed this.

Both of them had been far too busy over the past few months to spend any time like this.

The following days passed far too quickly, suddenly her bags were packed and she was saying goodbye to the many Elves she had met over time. Lovell had been in and packed a few empty journals and new pencils, begging for Hermione to think of her when she added things to her journal. 

She hadn’t been surprised to wake up with Lovell wrapped around her with a sad look on her face, Lovell followed her around for the rest of the morning up until Hermione actually had to leave, hanging off of her when they were standing with Gandalf and Bilbo. Tauriel had to pry Lovell away, with a promise to keep her out of trouble until Hermione came back.  Lovell had even hugged Bilbo and Gandalf, with threats of killing them both if her friend was to come back with any hint of injury. 

Even the King and his son had come to say their goodbyes, blessing their journey and then like a gust of wind. They were leaving, Gandalf had a skip in his step as they made their way through the forest. She and Bilbo were less enthused, especially when Bilbo let slip about the giant spiders that roamed the woods of Mirkwood. She would deny the quickening of her steps when they were finally in Rivendell.

 

*********************************************************************************************************

Hermione had left her almost a week ago and Lovell had never felt lonelier. The Elves were kind of course, they made her feel welcome and they kept her entertained, but this didn’t stop her from feeling alone at night time and it didn’t stop her from thinking about Hermione. What was she doing, was she safe and was Gandalf keeping his promise of teaching her about Middle Earth?

The end of the week brought a feast that she was invited (forced) to attend. She would have rather stayed in bed and done nothing at all. But Tauriel had come begging, telling Lovell how much fun she would have with the food and the music. It would help her feel more at home, which Lovell wasn’t sure would happen, but she was weak when it came to the red-haired Elf. 

So when she found herself wandering around the hall with drunk Elves sprawled around, it was quite the shock, she knew the Elves enjoyed drinking. Lovell just didn’t think they enjoyed it that much. She stepped over the long legs of an Elf slumped against the entrance 

hall wall. They had been drinking for hours, but Tauriel had assured her that Elf wouldn't get sick from drinking too much alcohol. 

Not that Lovell hadn’t had her fair share of alcohol. She was drunk, emotional and very much lost. Not that it was a surprise, she had only been there for a week. The main thing Lovell had learned in the past week was how attractive Elves really were, and she had rejected quite a few of them (shocking she knew, this had never happened to her before). And then, there was Elros, following her around like a puppy and he was always there, watching from across the room, watching from behind trees and doors. Having spotted him coming towards her, she had made a hasty getaway and that’s how she found herself looking around in confusion because she absolutely had no idea where she was.

Lovell found an old bench and decided to sit and wait around for someone to come across her. She should have just gone straight to her room, but in her rush to get out, she had forgotten which direction her room was in. she had just thrown her legs up when a voice called out to her from nowhere. 

“Lady Lovell?”

“Ah, Elros,” She could barely keep the disdain from seeping through, “What are you doing here?”

“I noticed you indulged in the wine and grew concerned.”

He didn;t have to be so blunt about it, she was feeling lonely of course she was going to drown her sorrows in free wine and nice food. Maybe Lovell wasn’t the most social person to come out of the Wizarding World, but it didn’t mean those feelings lay dormant inside of her like a dragon inside of its cave. 

“I was drawing my sorrows.”

She missed over the top balls her parents would throw, the loud bickering of her brothers and the muffled voices coming from the kitchen. The Elves had been very kind to her but when she looked the way she did, it felt more like being punched in the throat every time one came near her. They looked as though they had been carved from marble, like the statues Hermione had shown her from the muggle world.

Lovell was forced to move her legs and sit up when Elros came to sit beside her, he had an odd look on his face as he made himself comfortable. His hands clasped together on his lap, “So you are lonely?” her eyebrows furrowed together at his question, Lovell hadn’t said anything about being lonely to him. Maybe he had some kind of seer abilities where he could see through her. But there was an odd emotion in his voice.

“There’s no need to say it like that.”

Quicker than she could move away, his hand was tracing her jaw and his hands were so smooth and warm and big, if she was facing him just one of those hands could cover her entire face. 

“I have always been fascinated by mortals,” his hand kept grazing her face, across her jaw and cheek, “You are so different from the Elleths I have known.” at his words she jerked her face away from his hands.

“They would not have reacted in that way, if it were one of them I was touching.”

He moved to grasp her hands, his face coming closer to hers. Lips ghosted across her cheek and stopped to press a kiss to the corner of her mouth. Elros stayed there, like he was grounding himself against her. To say Lovell was confused was an understatement, he had never acted like this before, the most touching he had done was pulling her around by her arm. Did he like her? Tauriel had hinted he might, but she had thought it was a passing fancy and it was because she was different. Was he doing this because the Elleth’s in the hall were too drunk to hold a conversation and she was an easy target because she wouldn’t be there forever. 

Lovell pulled away from his, missing the look of hurt that crossed his face at her doing so and in response only tightened his grip on her hands and kept them firmly held within his own.

“I apologise if I overstepped, I was informed you felt the same as I do.”

Lovell was mortified, “Who told you!? It was Tauriel wasn’t it?!” she made to cross her arms, but he kept holding them down, “Look maybe I do like you, but you’re far too attractive for your own good and I’m nothing compared to that.” she risked a glance up at his face and was met with an amused look and a laugh. A laugh that did things to her.

“No, Deli,” He pulled her close to him, (Merlin he was strong) freeing one of his own hands to come up and tangle in her hair, Lovell was not shy around men, but Elros was not a man and he was even more beautiful this close to her and it made her heart stutter.

“You are the most captivating mortal woman I have ever laid eyes on,” his nose brushed against her cheek and she could feel his breath (sweet and warm) but he wanted nothing more than to kiss her, but he stopped himself. Elros wasn’t sure if she would kiss him back, would she push him away or pull him close. Would her lips be as plump and soft as her cheeks felt under his lips. The kiss they had shared all those weeks ago in her bathroom had not given him the chance to relish in her softness. It had been quick, with no time for him to press it into his memory.

“I’m not good enough for someone like you.”

He gripped her chin tight, forcing her to look at him (his eyes were lovely) they had darkened now, “You should not say such things.” he removed his hand from hers, cupping her face in both hands now, “Do not ever think of them.”

His lips crashed against hers in a bruising kiss, and when he pulled back, Elros did nothing to stop the smile from blooming at the sight of her flushed cheeks and wide eyes. He was right in his musing, her lips were soft and plush, and he was quick to cut her off with another kiss before she had a chance to say anything. He found no resistance as he pushed his tongue into her mouth and his heart fluttered when he felt her hands on his chest. 

Lovell could taste the wine he had been drinking, but underneath that was a taste that was all him, something unique to him. His taste was enough to make her knees weak, had Lovell been standing, she would have fallen down and her head was feeling fuzzy and so warm. She gave no resistance when he pulled her onto his lap, not once breaking away from her.

Once she was settled in his lap, Elros pulled away with a smile. His eyes were dark now, his face had a slight flush of pink to it. He rubbed their noses together, resting his forehead against hers and said nothing more a while. Lovell was just trying to keep her breathing even, because Merlin, he had really stolen away all of the air inside of her.

“I see no faults in you, I would have you as you are and no other way.”

He started lightly kissing her again, moving away from her lips and back to her jaw, nipping and sucking gently and then his teeth were on her ear, “If you do not believe me, then I am more than happy to give you a demonstration.” his voice was deep and Lovell could feel it rumbling underneath her hands, deep in his chest. It sent a shiver down her spine, a heat began pooling in her abdomen and he felt that shiver, delighted at the response he had pulled from her. 

Elros stood quickly, “Come.” he pulled her behind him, through the corridor and to her room. He knew where it was, he had been the one to place her there. His heart pounded in his chest, patting himself on the back for following her. He would have never had the courage otherwise. He was delighted to find no one walking through the corridor, afraid Lovell would have pulled away in embarrassment at being seen. 

Her bed was against the wall, freshly made and so very inviting and she gasped in surprise when he picked her up and all but threw her onto the bed, luckily she hadn’t hit the wall. Lovell propper herself up to yell at him, but it was cut off at the sight of him kneeling on the bed, like a predator that had finally gotten its prey. She prayed to Merline that no Elf came looking for them, she could never face them if they saw her like that. 

He leant down, biting at her bottom lip and pushed her to lay flat on her back, she cupped his face in her hands, while he deepened the kiss and the heat in her abdomen made itself known as he did so. His mouth left her to trail kisses down her throat, leaving fire in his wake as he pressed his body against hers. The noises she made would follow him into his dreams, as he left marks all across her neck, a sign to any Elf that saw her that she was not available. He wanted to hear those noises again as his hand pushed her dress up against her legs, and he groaned in appreciation as her hands ran through his hair. He continued to maneuver the dress up, stopping it at her waist, going underneath it and touching the soft flesh of her stomach. His mouth reclaiming her, wanting to savour each second, as though she may wish to stop, or simply vanish and he would not have the chance to do this again. His fingers trailed up her stomach, kneading the flesh, before bringing his lips once again down her neck, across her collarbone, nipping gently, before biting harder, causing her to gasp and whimper at the sweet pain. He was suddenly annoyed at the dress she was wearing, it was covering too much, he pulled her into a sitting position, before pulling the dress over her head and throwing it aside. She didn’t cover herself, and he was pleased by this, she didn't fear him. She was beautiful, her stomach soft, large hips and breasts, so unlike the body of his kind, he was quick to remove his own clothing, and she couldn’t look away from him. There was no way to describe him, he might as well kill her now, because she had seen Heaven, he was pale, but it was the muscles that distracted you. How could he be so beautiful? Hermione had shown her a statue once, of a man named David, but even then, it had nothing on Elros’s six-pack, and she couldn’t look away. He was all hard muscle, sculpted edges. He smirked, picking up where he’d left off, continued down to her chest, his eyes were glued to her, she shied away from his gaze for the first time.

“Beautiful.”

A flash of insecurity came over her quickly, she tried to cover herself, who wouldn’t. But Elros was quick to stop her, grabbing her wrists and pinned them above her head, she couldn’t do anything but blush under the examining stare. It was like he was looking straight into her soul, there was a tenderness there that she wasn’t expecting, it made her shake. There were a few seconds of him staring at her naked body, but it felt like an eternity of him gazing at her, drinking in everything that she had to offer him. She didn’t feel like she deserved such admiration, if anything, she should be the one admiring him, he was of course, oblivious of her thoughts, the way he was looking at her like she was some goddess. But his hands making their way onto her breasts and kneading them, wiped all those thoughts out of her head, even more so when his teeth bit her ear again, with every bite he would whisper things to her.

“You are beautiful, my Melethil,” he licked the base of her neck before he sank his teeth into it and sucked hard enough, she knew there would be a mark, but the sounds coming out of her mouth spurred him on, whispering “Mine.” The entire time, desire dripping from every word coming out of his mouth, before he crashed his mouth against hers again, his hands letting go of hers, to trail down over her chest. His body following, he stopped at her chest, before he took a nipple into his mouth, sucking gently, her hands ran through his hair again and he looked up at her. Seeing her expression he sucked with determination, watching the way her face twisted with pleasure, moaning through parted lips.

“Ah!” she gasped when he bit down, it sent a jolt of pleasure down her spine, her fingers tightened in his hair, pulling his head back. A deep noise came from deep within his chest, the corner of his lips twisted into a smirk, his eyes closing at the sensation of her tugging on his hair. But he jolted when her hand brushed against his ear, but before she had a chance to notice, he was diving down to attack the other nipple.

She desperately wanted to ease the friction between her legs, shifting underneath his weight, and in doing so, her knee brushed against him, he stopped sucking on her nipple to moan at the feeling, it was an almost silent moan, but she heard it. She cautiously did it again but applied more pressure, she took her time, wanting him to feel the same way he was making her feel.

“Hmm,” it was hushed, his eyelids slid closed, his breath quickened, he prayed silently that she did not find out that the ears of an elf were sensitive, and could bring an elf to orgasm if stimulated for long enough. He kissed his way back up her throat, over her chin and he stopped at her lips, tongue invading her mouth as her knee teased him through his trousers. She swallowed the moans he gave to her, the little sounds causing butterflies to erupt in her stomach.

They parted momentarily, Lovell tried to catch her breath, but she didn’t miss the way that his breath had become shallow, “You make me feel foolish,” his lips touched her gently again, “As though I am but a young Ellon again.”

“Because you’re older than dirt?”

He bit her bottom lip hard in response, forcing his knee between her legs, pushing them apart, he pulled away to look down at her again, stopping her own from brushing against him.

"Do not play games, that you cannot win."

The words were a warning, and with his eyes still staring deeply into her own, his fingers pressed against her in sweet revenge. Her body reacted instantly, squirming underneath him, she had never been one to plead for anything, not when it came to sex or anything else, but he had her begging.

"Please...."

"Yes?"

He smiled at her, it was wicked, filled with amusement, his hand rubbed against her hand, "Please what?", she didn't think his eyes could get any darker, but it was hard now, to see where his pupils ended and the iris began. Her face was flushed, burning hot, biting her lip, she threw her head back against the pillows, her breath heavy, shuddering from his touching. Elros didn't stay still for long, his lips kissing across her skin, waiting for an answer to his question. His hands had moved, trailing across her body now, everywhere, except for where she wanted them to be.

"Elros..." she groaned, feeling as his mouth attached to the sensitive skin of her neck, he hummed in response, "I want you."

"I am yours," he whispered, burying his face into her neck.

He groaned, when he saw her clutching at her hair, he knew she was frustrated, but he could do this all night, for as long as she would allow him to. She figured out, he was a tease, he must enjoy hearing the begging, knew which buttons needed to be pushed.

"Touch me."

His hand drifted up to brush against her nipple, "I am." but really, all he wanted to hear were those little gasps and moans she would let out. "Tell me what it is you wish for, and I shall give it to you, rid you of those thoughts in your head, I will show you what you mean to me."

He made direct eye-contact with her, lips brushing against her lightly, touches that left her wanting more.

She lifted her head high enough to close the gap between them, sealed with a harsh kiss, rough, hands coming up to frame his face, trying to pull him closer to her, her hips bucking up towards his, desperate for something, anything. His body shook with silent laughter, pulling away from the kiss, cocking his eyebrow into question.

"Will you tell me?"

Those dark eyes are fixed intently on her, urging her to say what it was that she wanted.

She groaned, letting her head fall back again, "I.." she started, but the words wouldn't come out of her mouth. She sighed, keeping her eyes turned away from his, "I want you to fuck me."

If he was put off by her phasing, he didn't let it show, instead, his lips twitched and his eyes darkened even more than she thought possible.

"It would be my pleasure."

Any remaining clothing was quickly removed, "Lift yourself." he cooed at her, pulled the dress down, throwing it somewhere behind him, his hands are instantly at her plush, round hips, pulling her down so that their bodies were pressed together, her legs instantly wrapping around his waist, as he leant down to kiss her feverishly, shoving his tongue into her mouth forcefully. She was annoyed, he still had his trousers on, her hands tumbled down towards the laces keeping them closed, but he put a stop to that, swatting her hands away with a smirk.

"Not yet."

But anything she would have said, her breath leaving her when she felt his hand sliding up her thigh, rubbing her hip. Shivers were running down her spine, trembling, her body's way of letting him know what she wanted, and who was he to deny her?

His finger slid over her in one, quick movement, she couldn't stop the gasp from leaving her mouth, her breath was stolen when he pushed his mouth against her own. Her moans were lost in the kiss when he pushed his thumb against her clit. The sounds she was making as he rubbed circles, her involuntary twitches, the way her legs tightened around his waist. He pulled away from her mouth, his own breath shuddering.

He watched her, the way she reacted to his simple touches, one small flick and her back arched slightly, some more pressure and her fingers dug into his skin, whichever part of him she could attach her hands to. He wanted her to use her words, instead of using her words, she bucked into his hand. He quickly swooped down, forcing his tongue into her mouth, wanting to explore her, he felt as though he had been deprived of her, drinking her in. Any thought Lovell allowed into her head, were quickly thrown out, when he slid his fingers inside of her easily, it let him know exactly how he was affecting her. She let out a loud, breathy moan, as she parted from the kiss, letting her head be embraced by the pillows, her throat on display for him. He was not one to waste an opportunity. His mouth was instantly sucking at the front of her throat, he wanted to mark her. Leave something of him behind, if she would not have him after. Let others know she belonged to him.

It was slow at the beginning like he was trying to not break her.

"I adore you," he whispered into her ear, "You are everything to me."

Moans of pleasure met everything he said to her, "Tell me, you will never think less of yourself." his fingers curled inside of her, hitting that sweet spot that caused her vision fo blur. She can't get her words out, only a broken stutter of his name leaving her, all thoughts leaving her, as quickly as they came, numbed by the sensation he's giving her, he's going faster now, not too fast, but enough for the difference is abysmal, especially with his thumb working tirelessly.

"Tel l me." His voice is a growl against her ear, teeth closing around it, biting gently.

The noise that came out of her was short of filthy, but it only served to send heat through his veins, coursing through his body, it makes him move his fingers faster, desperate for more of those noises to leave her mouth, for him.

"I swear."

He mumbled his pleasure against her neck, he could feel her heart beating faster against him, the pleasure building up inside of her. Her toes curled against the mattress, arching her back up against him, her hands coming up to grip onto his shoulder, fingers digging into the skin. His pace is unyielding, pushing her closer, closer to the edge. She's so close to the edge when everything stops. His fingers, all sensation, her breath leaving her harshly.

"Not yet."

She watched as he brought his hand up from between her legs, watched as he licked his fingers clean from knuckle to tip. His eyes closing as he gave a mumble of appreciation,her breath leaves her. Her breath was harsh still. He was so delighted at the sight of her so undone, face flushed red and her chest heaved, he could stay here for a lifetime, watching her like this. 

"I have not finished with you yet."

It sounded like a promise, as he kissed his way down her body.

Notes:

TBC~
Should I finish it off in the next chapter? Or should I just leave it there?

Chapter 19: Travelling.

Notes:

Updated 30/11/20

Chapter Text

 

Lovell woke with a grimace, her mouth so dry her tongue stuck to the roof of her mouth. Sunlight streams through the window, casting quite a lovely ethereal glow over her room,  she was embarrassed to say she did indeed, take a double-take at the sight of arms wrapped around her. 

He had quite the grip around her.

She wished that sleep would come back soon.

He had been quite drunk last night (as was she) but this didn't stop the thought that she had definetly taken advantage of him in his less than sober state of mind. What if he was angry about it? What was she going to do? It isn't like she could travel back in time and stop herself from sleeping with him or stop herself from drinking so much.

What if he woke up and regretted it?

Found her repulsive?

The thought sent her heart into a frenzy, sweat built on her brow and she wished that she could pretend to be asleep, in case he woke up. It would save Lovell the heartbreak of seeing him sneaking from the room like a thief that had stolen something.

Elros would definitely regret spending the night with her, Merlin.

“You think too loudly, so early in the morning.”

His voice sent shivers down her spine, all deep and inviting. His everyday voice made her legs feel like jelly, but his morning voice? It screamed sin. He whispered something else against the back of her neck, in a language unknown to her.

“I have no idea what you just said, but don’t be rude.”

He chuckled against her neck, pulling her even closer (if possible) before pulling the blanket back up to cover them both completely. Horrifyingly enough, she could feel the edges of sleep coming back (typical) but he was so very inviting. Holding her the way he way, his arms secure and warm, it was enough to make a woman swoon.

Lovell decided she could deal with this later (whatever this was) and if things went tits up, then she would do one of the things she was amazing at, ignore him and move on with the rest of her life. She must have still been thinking too loud because his hand came up and covered her eyes with a sigh.

“Sleep love, the day had not yet begun.”

His lips met her shoulder, yes, Lovell decided. She would deal with the inevitable fall out when she was ready. For now, she would relish in this moment and be happy, with strong arms that made her feel safe and all soft inside, with an Elf that made her feel things she was so very unused to.

It could wait.

Even if he did change his mind.

**********************************************************************************

Hermione had always seen herself as an outdoors person, but in this moment, so far from home and the only connection she had to that world? She was not so outdoorsy.

Her feet hurt, boots were wet and she was in desperate need of a bath. There was only so much magic could do, to keep oneself truly clean and magic never could make you feel as clean as a bath or a shower. Gandalf had been kind in the breaks they took, allowing both herself and Bilbo to get their energy back, and a few sneaky sketches into her journal. Bilbo had been so very helpful, naming flowers and plants, what they could do (mostly that they were edible) and ones that were poisonous. 

Gandalf had promised that they weren’t far from Rivendell now, they had come across a very kind man named Beron (who turned out to be a shapeshifter!) She had tried very hard not to embarrass herself, but he had been kind and seemed more amused by her attention than angry. He had been more than happy to sit for a portrait and it looked very nice in her journal surrounded by plants and flowers.

They hadn’t been able to stay any longer than two days before they were forced to eep moving, now, Hermione had not started off journeying with Gandalf or Bilbo, but even the Hobbit had expressed (in a whisper) that they seemed to be going the long way around! He steadfastly refused to answer any accusations and Hermione had to swallow her pride and accept that sometimes, Wizards (no matter if they were from different worlds) were all cut from the same cloth.   

For the first time, in a long time, Hermione felt like the school girl she used to be (before the war and all the deaths) excited and filled with wonder about the world. There was nothing holding her back from learning and discovering, no Ron to roll his eyes and no Harry to ignore her advice and get them all into trouble. No more running for her life and checking over her shoulder for Wizards and Witches trying to hunt her down. Her cage had been opened and now she was free.

They had finally stopped and set up camp in a cave (warded securely) to keep anything unsavory from finding them. It was pulling out their sleeping bags that made her laugh, Bilbo would react with such enthusiasm and wonder when she did so. Every single time. Like every time was the first time and his blue eyes would sparkle and shine. 

Hermione discovered that for what she lacked in cooking, Bilbo more than made up for it. He happened to be an excellent cook and even his most basic food was praiseworthy (he flushed every single time) though it was a hard comparison, he would have given Molly Weasly a run for her money in cooking (had she been there). Bilbo had a natural talent for cooking, and she looked forward to everything he made at the end of the day.

The days became repetitive rather quickly (too quickly) the flowers were still beautiful, the mountains still large and green and the sky was blue without a single cloud in sight. That was of course, until they finally were in reach of Rivendell. Hermione was furious, the rain had started as a light drizzle (no unusual) then as though summoned by some God of storms, it poured from the sky. It was like something didn’t want them reaching Rivendell but nothing (and she means nothing) would stop her from reaching a dry place that would offer her an actual bath. 

Her clothes were soaking wet, the water had decided to seek refuge in her hair and Hermione wanted nothing more than a thick blanket, cup of tea and a nice hot fire to dry herself out. They had made it only a mile or so before they could barely see anything, Hermione had a tight grip on Gandalf and Bilbo, in case she (or Bilbo) walked in the wrong direction and then something terrible happened. It would be a shitty way to die, Hermione Jean Granger, War Heroine, died by falling off of a cliff. 

She could almost hear Ron and Harry laughing at it, even they think she’ll die doing something incredibly heroic (like riding another dragon) she kept an eye on both Bilbo and the ground, it would be terribly difficult to try and stand up in the now mushy dirt, they would slip and slide all over the place. 

Suddenly Gandalf came to a stop, causing Hermione to slam into his back. He shouted something and quicker than she could blink, he had pulled away and just like that, she and Bilbo were alone, almost blind in the rain. She thrust her hand out, a yell at the ready, when she hit solid metal.

“My Lady, this way.”

A gentle voice and hand suddenly took hold of her hand and pulled her carefully along the sliding ground and she was angry with herself (he could be a murderer) and she was blindly trusting him. Because she was lone and scared (though she would never admit it). Then suddenly the rain stopped pouring and she was warm, inside some type of tent. The hand holding her’s dropped and a blanket was wrapped around her and Gandalf (the traitor) wa sitting in front of a fire, pipe in hand looking quite pleased with himself (until he saw her glaring at him) 

“Well, yes, we shall reside here, until the rain clear.”

Hermione’s hands were instantly on her bag, checking through it to make sure there was been no damage and that no water had leaked through and ruined her work. Her fury would have been unstoppable if anything had been damaged, all that word down the drain and useless. 

The tent was not as large as the one she used, but it was comfortable. Two Elves sat cross from Gandalf (identical) one of must have guided her to the tent, unlike Gandalf, who had left her and Bilbo alone in the downpour. The sight of the twins uncionsoulsy brought Fred and George to mind, and to send that thought away, Hermione guided a shaking and cold Bilbo to sit beside the fire. She would feel terrible if he were to catch a cold and fall ill before he finally got home. 

Hermione couldn’t help but think that the tent was too espoused (even in the rain_) would they mind if she were to ward it? She shrugged her shoulders, her wand sliding down her arm and into her hand. The Elves in Mirkwood had reacted quite well after a while to the magic that she and Lovell wielded. 

“Salvio hexia.”

She whispered as to now draw any attention, but she had forgotten about their amazing sense of hearing and when two sets of identical blue eyes were staring at her in wonderent, it made her very uncomfortable. Then she quickly remembered her wet clothes, casting the hot-Air charm and she was very warm, clothes dry and feeling a little bit more like herself and she quickly did so to everyone in the tent, receiving a nod of appreciation from Bilbo and Gandalf. And another look of complete wonder from the Elves.

“You are like Mithrandir? An Istari?”

Before Hermione could answer the questions, Bilbo piped up from his place by the fire, “She’s rather a lot more useful than Gandalf is.” Hermione chose to ignore that, while Gandalf responded by choking on the smoke from his pipe, sending a huff of annoyance at Bilbo.

The Elf that had asked the question looked so excited, it didn’t dim when she explained that she wasn’t (an Istari) but a witch that was doing some research. They had taken it quite well, it not for the look the other Elf shot her and Hermione was forced to emphasise that she was not evil and no she wasn’t trying to steal their lives and use them in potions or to worship unnamed Gods. Everyone looked quite amused on her behalf when she finished her little rant and in response she threw herself onto the floor beside Bilbo.

“Where have you been living? We have not heard of a witch in these parts.”

“Can you do anything else?

“Can we learn these spells you cast?”

“How old are you?”

“Where are your mother and father?”

Hermione let the questions roll over her, answering the ones she could and leaving ones that she wasn’t sure she could answer (Gandalf had told her not to divulge too much) and it was a nice change of pace to the usually one sided conversations she and Bilbo tended to have with Gandalf. In some strange way, the questions reminded her of herself, had she been the same when Minerva had turned up at their house all those years ago? Filled with so many questions and never feeling like there was enough time in the day to ger all of them answered. 

The rain was still pouring heavily, rhythmically falling against the tent. It was nice and warm inside the tent, Hermione allowed her mind to wander and she made a list inside her mind about the things she needed to do. Write to Lovell, continue the sketch of Bilbo she had started before the rain interfered. Hermione could feel the sweet embrace of sleeping climbing itself into her and did nothing when her head began to droop. Tomorrow they would be in Rivendell, where the distant call of an actual bed and bath was calling to her.

Chapter 20: Rivendell

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Hermione had woken up with no feeling in her legs and her neck was killing her. Bilbo was snoring beside her, his neck and body bent in an odd angel that definitely would hurt once he was awake. Gandalf and the Elves were standing outside, she could just about make out the muffled sound of their voices, it wasn’t long before she and Bilbo were being ushered out of the tent and into the very cold and damp morning. 

It took them less than half the day to finally reach Rivendell and Hermione was (very) impressed by the beautiful landscape. It was very beautiful, she nodded at every single thing she liked, and not once did she feel silly about it. Hermione could feel the eyes burning into the back of her neck and there was no need to turn around to see who it was. There were only two other people in the usually three people group that had been doing that most of the day and she was half in mind to turn around and ask them to stop. 

There Pine Trees at the top as they begun their descent, with a lovely but steep zig-zag path to the bottom. She had been quickly grabbed and corrected, so engrossed in the landscape she had lost her footing, when she told the Elf holding her arm that the scenery was so lovely she had forgotten to watch her steps, he had only laughed and kept hold of her arm. Her journal was calling a sweet tune to be filled with sketches of the landscape, but if she were to take it out and indulge? She would definitely fall and injure herself. 

Once they reached (finally) the bottom, there Oak and Beech trees lining the path. Hermione couldn’t understand why the trees looked so beautiful, so green and big. Maybe Elves caused trees to grow bigger and stronger? In its own way, they reminded her of places she’d rather not think about, The Forbidden Forest and The Forest of Dean. they were quickly pushed to the back of her mind and she could deal with them later (if she wanted to.)

There was a waterfall just to the side of her, it would look amazing in her journal (she made a mental note to go there later) it was such a peaceful place to be. There was only the sound of water flowing, the wind blowing and birds singing, she could et lost in this place. A cry of her name caused her to turn, noticing for the first time that she had been left alone as everyone had wandered away from the waterfall and she had to jog to catch up with them.  

Both twins smiled at her when she caught up, she liked them well enough but the constant chatter of questions and looks they shot her, were beginning to get on her nerves. Hermione had been tempted (many times) to spell both of their mouths shut, but she had been raised bette than that. Instead, Hermione decided to give them a taste of their own medicine.

“This place is so beautiful! How long did it take to build? How old is this place? Were you born here? Why is it so big?”

The barrage of questions caused them to tense up, shooting looks at Gandalf ad Bilbo (instantly ignored) and Hermione tapped their shoulders “I haven’t got all day, come on.” which was, very uch a lie, but Hermione was sick of being on the receiving end and now it was their turn to be put out. Of course, she could have also left those questions for when they actually reached Rivendell, but she was so looking forward to sleeping, that the questions would have to be answered now. Her journal came out and then everything that they told her,she wrote it down. 

“Miss Granger, even the most skilled Elf would find it difficult to keep up with that constant chatter.” 

Hermione could feel her face heating up, “Okay, but I’m expecting answers later.” her journal found its home in her bag again, while the Twins nodded and carried on leading them to were they needed to go. They found their way into some sort of circular courtyard, looming Elven statues overlooked them and they stood there, Hermione was sure that they were waiting for someone to come out and greet them and that was only a guess. Hermione couldn’t truly be sure why they just were, standing there. 

Mithrandir !”

Hermione all but flinched at the voice calling out, seemingly from nowhere. Her attention was drawn to a figure heading towards them, it was another Elf, he smiled kindly at both Gandalf and Bilbo, nodded a greeting to the Twins and bowed to her once he noticed her. He seemed genuinely happy to see Gandalf for some odd reason, he seemed like the type of Wizard to cause irritation more so than happiness. 

“Ah, Lindir. How nice to see you again.”

They spoke in hushed tones to one another, while Hermione and Bilbo stood there waiting for something to happen. She was too polite to ask if there was a chance she could have a bath, because she was desperate to get rid of all the grime and dirt from her worn out body. She didn’t need any clothes, hers would do as they were. So lost in thought she didn’t notice Gandalf’s huff of annoyance.

“Miss Granger, stop dallying and come here!”

Hermione huffed before walking closer (ignoring the snickering coming from the twins) Gandalf was gesturing to the Elf, who bowed to her once again, “This is Lindir, he will show you to your room and answer any questions you are unable to wait for. He will also be taking you to see Lord Elrond so behave yourself.” she stood up straighter at his tone, behave herself? What was she? A child that needed to be told off? Getting this close allowed Hermione a closer look at the Elf (Lindir) he was handsome, (very) easy on the eye. Being around all these Elves was doing nothing for her self-esteem.

Lindir was quick to lead her away, through an open corridor and stopped in front of a door, it was to be her room for the duration of her stay, however long that might be. Lindir bowed before leaving her with a brushed off comment of clothing being brought to her. She had kindly informed him that she had plenty of clothing and would not wish to be a bother. 

Hermione had been instantly rendered speechless at her room, so open and simple. It was the type of room she had strived to have once (as a child) she became an adult,  there was a cooling breeze coming through the open windows, the thin see-through curtains blowing along with it. The very first thing she did was throw herself onto the bed, and it was just as comfortable as it looked, bouncy and warm. If she wasn’t careful, she was going to fall asleep. Then out of the corner of her eyes, she sawi ti. A bathtub, Hermione did her best to hold in her squeal of excitement. 

Then quicker than anyone could move, it was filled with warm water and she was submerged int it. Sighing in pleasure as the water flowed over her skin, this was the most relaxed she’d felt since leaving Mirkwood. A nice bath could do that to a person. Hermione wasn’t expecting to hear a knock on the door and have a very beautiful female Elf come into the room while she was naked in the bath. She foundered for a second, before lowering herself further into the bath to try and keep her modesty. 

“Lady Hermione, I am Arwen, I have come with some clothing for you.”

Merlin, her voice was like the most beautiful bird song in existence. Her eyes were a sparkling blue, her skin pale with light pink cheeks and straight cheek. Her hair was long, thick and flowing, like there was a breeze with no wind. She seemed to glide around the room.

“Ah, yes, uhm. You can put it on the bed.”

Lady Arwen did so, placing the pile of clothes onto the ruffled bed covers. Hermione was shocked to see her sit down, why wasn’t she leaving? She fumbled for a second, “Thank you, for the clothes.”

“You are welcome.”

There was this awkward silence that came over the room, Hermione was trying to be discreet and wash herself as quicky as possible, and the Lady Arwen was sitting on her bed with a serene smile and looking like she had all the time in the world. Hermione just wanted to know why she was here, what she was planning and why she hadn’t left yet! The one good thing was the Lady Arwen averting her eyes when Hermione made to stand from the bath, the smile never leaving as she looked away and Hermione whispered the drying spell, and pulled her hair back into a bun at the base of her neck.

She was handed a flowy blue, long sleeved dress. Very pretty. She was more thankful for the lack of having to lace it up, it just slipped right over her head and her lips pursed, because it was quite tight across her hips and chest. Also, very long, she might trip over the hem if she wasn’t careful. 

“I shall be taking you to my father’s study.”

Lady Arwen smiled at her, teeth bright and straight (her parents would have been very pleased) Hermione said nothing as she was led out of the room, the Elf taking the lead and Hermione placed a hand on her chest, to try and calm the pounding of her heart. She wasn’t sure why she was so nervous, from everything Gandalf had said, Lord Elrond was kind and should know something about what had happened. 

The way to his study wasn’t confusing, the corridors are easy to follow. Nothing like Mirkwood and its long windy corridors. It was far more open and welcoming. Before long she found herself standing side by side with Lady Arwen in front of an imposing double door. Why was she so nervous, Hermione wouldn’t have een so nervous, had she known Gandalf would also be there. So when Lady Arwen left with a touch to her shoulder and the doors opened, her eyes caught sight of the Wizard, and in her excitement she threw him two thumbs up. He raised an eyebrow at her, but just went back to smoking his pipe with a quiet chuckle. But it was a ough that brought back the overwhelming nervousness and when she turned with a smile, the Elf standing behind her was different to the Elves she had met before. He was tall, and looked what she would say, ageless, neither young nor old. But he was imposing, like a soldier and Hermione felt overwhelmed at the sight of him.

“Lady Hermione I assume?”

“Ah, yes, I am.”

He nodded at her before turning around and sitting himself behind the dark wooden desk. He placed his hands on top of it, before asking for her to join him, gesturing to a chair situated before him. She did so, patting her dress across her lap and willed her face to show none of her nervousness. She could hear Gandalf shuffling around behind her, before joining her in the chair positioned quite close to her own. She said nothing when his feet knocked against her own and only glanced at him in annoyance. 

Hermione felt almost bad for taking up his time, but it was important that she get as much information as possible.  If she could, it would mean not making a mistake and ending up back here, Hermione and Lovell would get home safe. She just hoped that he would know something about it, anything would be a huge help. 

She just kept a smile on her face and did her best to hide her shaking hands.

 

Notes:

Updated 5/12/20

Chapter 21: Magic

Summary:

updated 19/12/2020

Chapter Text

The silence was difficult to wrap her head around. Lord Elrond had been most kind, explaining what little he knew about magic, because apparently, they didn’t truly use magic the way she did. There was nobody in Middle Earth that could use magic the way she and so many others did. No Gandalf, nor the other ‘Wizards’ he had mentioned in passing. 

It was a kick in the teeth.

All of this and there was nothing, he had been kind his with hands laced on his desk as he explained what had happened, to herself and Lovell, was so very uncommon that he had no answers for her. Gandalf had patted her back, thinking she might cry, but Hermione wasn’t a child that needs comfort from a grandfather figure. 

“So I’ve wasted everyone’s time?”

“Well, I wouldn’t say that Miss Granger, you have sought help from one of the wisest in Middle Earth, though he might not have the answers you seek. You have had the chance to explore, have you not?”

“I guess so.”

She tried so hard not to show her disappointment, but it clung to her. She might as well have stayed in Mirkwood with Lovell, but she had wasted Gandalf’s time and Lord Elrond’s time. At last, she had gotten some information to take back, in case anyone asked why she had done something so stupid, without a backup plan of how they were going to get back. 

“Lady Hermione, if I might make a suggestion?”

“Of course.”

“The Lady Galadriel is someone you may wish to speak to, there is a chance of her knowing more.”

Hermione crossed her arms, “Will I have to travel more?” her only response was two smiles from the two. If she had known? There would have been no need for Lord Elrond to change his plans around just to tell her something that Gandalf could have. But she was practical, and she would not allow them to see how pissed off she was. 

“Miss Hermione, did I mention Lord Elrond himself has the ability to see the future?”

Hermione could almost feel her face brightening at those words before she had all but thrown herself half-way across the desk at the poor, shocked Elf, “Can you really? That’s amazing!” she must have looked quite the sight, suddenly throwing herself at the poor Elf. He had not even opened his mouth before she pulled herself back, “You don’t use those filly teacups, do you? Reading tea leaves?” 

“No.”

She was almost vibrating with the excitement, unseen by her was the looks of confusion shared between Gandalf and Lord Elrond. Neither knew what tea leaves had to do with seeing into the future, but from the sneer on the young witch’s face, it was not something to be proud of. Hermione quickly began taking notes, it would be fine to only have this little bit of information written down. Maybe he wouldn’t mind having his sketch beside it? But he looked like a proud individual, who might not be impressed if it didn’t look very good. 

“Miss Granger, why on Earth would Lord Elrond use tea leaves to predict the future?”

“Well, back when I was still in school. There was this teacher, she thought she could predict the future using tea leaves (can you imagine?) anyway. There was this one time, she made a prediction about my best friend, Harry and it came true because he did kill the Dark Lord.  But it hardly counts. She couldn't even remember doing it. So I would have been less than impressed if that is how you looked into the future, My Lord.”

“Dark Lord?”

“Oh, he was a terrible person. A Dark Wizard, someone that did awful things and tried to change the world, taking away everything that made it special. But he truly hated people like me.” 

Hermione barely looked up from her journal as she spoke, it bothered her very little nowadays. If she had still been young, maybe there would have been some emotion behind her words, but Hermione wasn’t a child anymore. Talking about it would hardly cause her to break down.

“People like you?”

Hermione can hear the intrigue in Lord Elrond’s voice as he asks the question, one of his eyebrows has lifted and Hermione is taken aback at how much older he looks when he does this, but it doesn’t take away from the handsome face.

“Muggle-Borns, they are born from non-magical parents. We don’t really understand how it works, but it could be an ancestor with magic and it flares up every so often.”

They spoke for hours after, even though Hermione would gain little from the information shared between them, she was able to learn more about this Lady Galadriel that might be able to help her and Gandalf had offered to take her to Lothlorien, looking quite pleased with himself as he did so. Puffing on his pipe, like he hadn’t a care in the world.

Hermione left Lord Elrond’s office feeling both underwhelmed and overwhelmed. She hadn’t taken the time to look around as Lady Arwen had brought her there, but this place was beautiful. She could lose herself in this place, happily. She hummed to herself as she made her way back to her room, passing curious Elves along the way, some nodding at her and others only watching her walk past. She brought her journal up to cover her face, her face felt warm from all the attention and she couldn’t quite figure out if she was feeling embarrassed or flattered by all of the eyes burning into her back. 

Hermione took a sharp turn around a wall and found herself outside. The sky had begun to darken and she could see the huge white moon hanging low in the sky. She had only figured out she was outside when she missed the step and found herself flat on her back, the damp seeping into her dress and the feeling of pure mortification bubbling up inside of her. Her face was on fire now. She prayed to Merlin that nobody found her laid out on the floor like this, not when she was so very humiliated, there was no chance this was something she would soon forget, it was forever etched into her brain. 

“Little Witch, are you lost?”

The familiar smooth and deep voice shocked her, goosebumps rising on her arms. Especially when a curtain of brown hair fell around her, bright cerulean blue eyes staring deep into her own and the full pink lips morphed into a smirk when said eyes zeroed in on her warm face. She ignored his tongue slipping out to wet his lips, refusing to even indulge the thought that he was sinfully attractive. Even more so when his tongue came out.

“No, I’m exactly where  I'm meant to be.”

“You took quite the tumble, shall I take you to see a healer?”

“You’re not taking me anywhere,” she huffed out in outrage, “Unless you’re planning on killing me.”

He chuckled before reaching down to grasp her arms, pulling her up from the ground. She stumbled from the force of being pulled up, he was quite strong. If she pretended to ignore him, maybe he would leave and she could wallow in embarrassment alone. To her annoyance, he only moved closer to her.

“Little Witch, that is most dramatic.”

She flinched in surprise when his hands shot out to straighten out her dress. Hands tugging and smoothing the fabric as he did so. If that didn’t tell her he had a younger sibling, then nothing would. Though, she did feel slightly uncomfortable with all the touching. It might be true that Elves were just more open to that sort of thing, but it caused a shiver to run up her spine. 

“Sorry, you shouldn’t have to help me.”

“It was my pleasure.”

He walked with her back inside, keeping hold of her arm in case she took another stumble. It was embarrassing, not only had she fallen but she had been seen doing so. Then she was being handled like a child, it was not a situation that Hermione was used to. It was always her, looking after other people, barely being looked after herself.

“Little Witch, my brother and I have found your magic most interesting. Would you spare some of your time in showing us more?”

“Let me get cleaned up first and then I will.”

His face seemed to glow with her agreement before he was dragging her through a series of corridors until he stopped in front of an all too familiar door, “You were going the wrong way, I did my best to gain your attention but you seemed most distracted by that journal.” she refused to allow the embarrassment to show even more on her face. He let go of her arm as she moved to open the door, informing her that he would come back in an hour. Hermione was quick to throw herself onto the bed once the door had closed, how embarrassing it was! To be seen by him falling flat on her face of all things! Her heart was still pounding as her thoughts drifted back to him, he was rather handsome and he knew how to draw her in. Maybe Elves were similar to Veelas? It hadn’t taken long for her to clean up, and the hour passed by slowly. So Hermione took the time to look at the painting on her ceiling, very floral and filled with beautiful Elves. There must be something for her to do once the awe of her magic wore off, Lord Elrond might be kind and allow her access to any books he had. Well, ones that she could read. She had begun rifling through her bag when the knock sounded on the door, too preoccupied to open it herself, she waved her hand and the door opened.

“You were nowhere near the door and yet it opened Little Witch!”

 “Magic.” It was the only answer she gave him as she packed her things away. He danced away from her as she walked closer before the door closed behind him and his hand was wrapping around her arm again. She was surprised to see he was alone, but perhaps he wished to take her somewhere less closed off for her demonstrations?

“Where is your brother by the way?”

“Oh, my brother is training with Lord Glorfindel, why? Am I boring you, Little Witch?”

He didn’t really sound put off by her question, only curious. Hermione tried to hide her fascination, Fred and George had always been less than willing to separate from one another and this twin was flippant in his response.

“Are you very close?”

“Yes, as all twins are. But we have our differences.”

“That sounds lovely, I don’t have any siblings myself. But I do have some very close friends that are almost like siblings and let me tell you, we most definitely have our differences.”

They conversed as they walked, where they were headed she didn’t know. But she was excited, it had been quite a while since she had indulged others in the finer art of magic and all it could do. They walked through winding corridors, walls covered in paintings and tapestries. She wanted to stop and take a look, but she knew there would be many chances to come for her to have a good look. 

She found herself being pulled through a door, where she was surprised to find not only his brother but Lady Arwen as well. Both looked up with matching wide blue eyes and Hermione tried to quell the little part of herself that wished to run away from such beautiful people, but she was not a child. The room was so inviting, pillows and a firepit where she was pulled down to sit beside Lady Arwen. It was a room that reminded her of something the Room of Requirements might produce if one wished for a place of comfort.

“Well, what do you want to see first?”

Hermione tossed her journal on the floor in between the two of them, noticing from the corner of her eys that the twins had sat themselves a little further away. It didn’t stop their stares from sending shivers down her spine. Their eyes seemed to glow and she was quick to avert her eyes.

“Come on them, I haven’t got all day you know. I’m very busy.”

Glances were exchanged over her head. She knew what they were thinking, she was bossy and rude, but Hermione didn’t care. There were other things she could be doing, but she had made a promise. They bounced in excitement when they saw her wand being lifted. Hermione closed her eyes and pictured butterflies, hundreds of them. Blue and red, all differentiated coloured ones. Lady Arwen’s hand flew her grasp Hermione’s arm as she let out a gasp of surprise. 

Hermione opened her eyes to find them surrounded by those same butterflies. They hand landed themselves on Lady Arwen, and she truly looked a vision, and from the shuffling coming from the side of her, she knew the twins were just as enchanted as their sister was. Suddenly there was a warm hand on her shoulder and a voice in her ear.

“Show us more.”

Who was she to deny them that? Hermione raised her wand and once more, thought of all the beautiful things she knew about her magic.

Chapter 22: Coming back

Notes:

I am sorry for the badly written smut haha
updated 04/01/21

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Lovell had a hand clamped over her mouth to muffle any sound, as her legs shook with the effort to keep her body above him. Merlin knows what anyone would think if they happened across them as they were, her other hand was knotted in his hair. He might have felt some pain from it, but Lovell knew he didn’t care. 

She had only come here for a bath, having been told of the heated underground baths by Tauriel. Lovell hadn’t been expecting Elros to follow her, she had shrugged off the burning feeling of eyes staring into her back. Ignorant as she was. Lovell had turned and found him leaning against the wall, eyes dark and arms crossed. By the time she had wiped the water from her eyes, he was naked and coming closer to her.

“What are you doing!?”

“You have been avoiding me,” his voice was like steel, cutting straight through her, “I had come to speak with you, but you have given me such a pleasurable sight that I must join you.”

She had turned away from him, trying to focus on something else. His hands tugging at her hair was the only warning she had, at how close he was. She flushed red when his arms came to wrap around her waist, his head falling onto her shoulder. Lovell sent a silent prayer to Merlin, before placing her hands on top of his, which he must have liked if the smile being pressed into her shoulder was anything to go by. 

It was not unpleasant. Being held like this, comforting. But Lovell hadn’t come here to be cuddled, she had come here for a bath and Elros was doing a fine job at stopping her from doing so, with shampoo still in her hair. She coughed to gain his attention, but he seemed rather good at pretending she wasn’t doing any such thing. His head never lifted from his shoulder. Lovell tried the next best thing, pushing his arms off of her. Lovell was quick to stop when he began to whine at her efforts. 

“I need to wash my hair, get off.”

He did let go. But only to lift water from the jug and let it rush over her. Hands were in her hair washing the shampoo away and just running through her hair. Lovell’s hair had grown in the time she had been here, much longer than she was used to. Those thoughts halted at the feeling of his hand gripping her hair, he pulled her head back and she grunted. His lips were pressing suddenly against her throat, humming in amusement as her body shivered. Butterflies erupted in her stomach as his hand trailed across her chest, down across her stomach and hips before pulling her closed to him. 

Elros allowed this for only moments, before releasing her to spin her around to face him. Not allowing Lovell the chance to say anything, he grasped her thighs and lifted her against the ledge, knocking her belongings into the water. He pressed heated kisses against her throat, down her chest and stopped just above her belly button. He glanced up at her, dark eyes framed by thick dark lashes and there was a sly smile on his pink lips. Which he now turned to the inside of her thigh, nipping at the sensitive flesh.

“Do not avoid me.”

His voice was low and there was something in his tone, nothing which Lovell could place right now. It was enough to send shivers down her spine, the hot feeling of his lips, sucking small marks on her skin. Her head was hazy, she hadn’t even noticed the mouth leaving her thigh and it was the feeling of a tentative lick that caused her body to jolt in shock. Elros moved to hold her against the ledge, once satisfied with her restrained body, his tongue lapped at her, his focus on that bundle that made her toes curl and her voice break.

He began to speak to her then, muffled and low. Sending vibrations straight through her. The words meant nothing to her, speaking in his native language, Lovell want’s to tell him she doesn’t understand, but he must have sensed it. Quicker than she could breathe, he began to lick and such at a rougher pace, his tongue tracing loose, uneven circles. She could feel herself getting closer, Lovell wanted to move her hips but even that he must have sensed, his grip on her hips tightened to the point of tears. His eyes had stayed on her face the entire time, watching and when her face would flush red and her mouth parted, voice strained and breath ragged. Elros was satisfied, he could hear every choked breath and broken words falling from her lips.

Please ,” her voice was hoarse, “ Elros , please .”

He liked that. Her voice was desperate for him. The sound of his name falling from those lips was a blessing. He quite liked this side of her, this begging and pleading sound of her voice. Her voice caught on a gasp when his tongue was joined by his long, thin fingers. He didn’t start off slow, quickly setting a brutal pace as they curled inside of her. Dragging against that little bundle inside of her, Lovell’s hands found their way into his hair, gripping it tightly. 

Her voice echos off of the walls, sloshing water and cries of pleasure filled the bath chambers. He felt himself harden at the sound of his name falling from her lips like a prayer, he would never tire of hearing his name from her. The feeling of her hands in his hair sent shivers down his spine, brushing teasingly against his ears. 

Don’t stop.”

The pressure was building up inside of her, faster and faster. Lovell almost expected him to stop, a punishment for her attitude towards him, but then suddenly like an explosion, it crashes over her like a tidal wave. Her body shakes, leaning forward. She can hear and see nothing but white. She clenched around his fingers so hard, he never stops touching. Mouth still licking and sucking, fingers still moving at the same brutal pace as before. Elros only stops when her body goes limp, her chest heaving. 

He pulls his fingers away from her, slowly and smirking when her body jolts. He pushed himself away from her, fingers held up to his face. Before he was placing them inside of his mouth, smirking at the sight of Lovell. His mouth claimed her with desperation, their tongues fighting against one another. Her hands came up to grasp his face, pulling him closer. 

She found it so terribly difficult to form words, any word she tried to speak lodged in her throat. The only reasonable response she could think to do was run her shaky hands up and down his chest, even if Lovell didn’t look down. His arousal was very obvious. His chuckle echoed around the room.

“Are you not satisfied?”

His voice was hoarse and playful, as he hid his face in the crook of her shoulder. It took Lovell a good few minutes to find her voice, “I want you to feel good.” she made this known by letting her hand drift lower, across the hard ridges of muscle and his very delicious six-pack as her hand wrapped around him. Her thumb slid over the head, drawing a sharp gasp from Elros. His nails dug into the flesh of her hips, as he choked on his own breath as Lovell continued her teasing. Lovell gripped him tighter, moving slowly at first until she can feel his breath quickening against her neck. Up and down in quick succession, her thumb massaging the tip as he moaned. 

All his time focused on this cheeky woman, had left him more than sensitive. Automatically he began to move his hips in tandem with her hand. He so very clearly wanted more than she was giving, nipping her neck and shoulder as he gasped. Lovell shifted before letting go, something flashed in his eyes but was gone as soon as she pushed him backwards. Lovell knew where she wanted him, underneath her. He was graceless as he tumbled backwards, staring into her as he moved. The steps were warm against him as he sat himself down. 

Lovell gave him little time to adjust before setting herself into his lap. Not that he minded, with the way he grabbed onto her with his eyes dark, half-lidded and filled with want. Before she can say anything, he’s grabbed her and slammed their mouths together. It was rough, but it was everything they needed at that moment. Then Elros grabbed her leg, pulling her even closer than she had been, their bodies fitting together perfectly. In response to his rough grabbing, Lovell rolled her hips and she could feel him there, thick and hard. He pulled back, his head falling backwards, exposing his beautiful (unmarked) neck so Lovell did what was in her right. She attached her mouth to his neck, biting and sucking, big purple and red marks covering him. 

Elros pulled her off of his neck, before slamming their mouths together again. His hands are in her hair, trying to bring her closer, it was never enough. 

In one swift motion, he lifted her up by her thighs, before pulling her down onto him. He never once breaks the rough, feverish kiss they had found themselves locked in. their tongues fighting a never-ending battle. It is only when he feels her hand in his hair, trying to pull him away from him, that Elros finally lets her mouth go. Instantly she’s crying out his name, and it is a feeling he never wants to stop. The sight of her astride him would almost be enough to make him reach his peak. Had he been a younger Ellon. Her eyes are closed, mouth open and red, swollen and bruised from his kisses. When his hands tightened, she slowed down. As she lifted and lowered herself, her eyes were only on him and the beautiful flush that circled his cheeks, his mouth hung open as he whispered and moaned. Her name is the only thing she can truly understand, Elros could be saying all sorts and she would beg him to keep speaking. 

Elros had quickly tired of the slow pace Lovell had set for them, with a grunt of annoyance, he held her still as he slammed up into her. If possible, the noises she made only increased and Elros thanked all the deities for giving her to him, the sight of her head thrown back, mouth open and crying out for him. He continued this brutal pace, using the grip he had on her hips to gain even more leverage to drive himself deeper inside of her. Elros wanted Lovell to remember this, to have an ache inside of her so that she never forgot about him. He was in the perfect position to suckle her breasts, as he slipped his hand between them, pressing his thumb against that bundle that made her see stars. He released her nipple to gasped her name, as he felt her walls clench around him. She lowered her head onto his shoulder, she could feel the fast approach of her orgasm, building in time to his deep and hard thrusts. He was close, he knew she was too, with the way she moved against him.

I’m close.”

Lovell gasped in his ear, he muttered something in response and moved his thumb faster. Her body twitched, and she nipped at his shoulder. The pressure was building too quickly, Elros moaned, the only other sound was the obscene sound of skin slapping against one another. It came quicker than she thought it would, the deep thrust of his hips against hers, his thumb never stopped rubbing and she crashed, hard. Her whole body convulsed as the waves of unrelenting pleasure drowned out everything else.

She barely thought when she bit down on his shoulder, trying to keep herself quiet. Elros cried out as she clenched around him. He thrust into her a few more times before coming to a complete stop. Her name leaving his mouth like a prayer. Lovell’s legs shook as she made to move off of him, but a quick whimper of her name stopped her in her tracks. So she stayed, seated in his lap with him still inside of her. His hands move across her back and pulled her into an embrace. 

He made no mention of the pain from the bite mark on his neck.

“I’m never coming back here.”

This seems to amuse Elros, she feels the rumble of laughter deep in her bones. His hands move to push her hair away from her face, he is not disappointed by what he sees. A very beautiful, satisfied woman sitting in his lap. He prays that this memory will live with him forever. She is so beautiful. 

“You should bathe in your chambers, Nin mel.”  

“Easy for you to say, Tauriel’s the one who told me to come here. No doubt she told you as well.”

They stayed linked together for a few minutes before Lovell found the energy to move and made a very good show of not looking at the very enticing scene of Elros relaxing on the bath steps. He had to steady her, as she stumbled sideways, much to her embarrassment and his satisfaction. Elros followed after her when he beckoned him to, he would follow her anywhere. They tried to keep an eye out for anyone they might come across in the journey back to her room, luck was on their side, they saw nor heard anyone else. He had not realised they had reached their destination until Lovell had opened the door, he was so very sure that the door would close in his face. 

He did nothing to hide his delight when she grasped his arm and pulled him in behind her. 

Elros watched in amusement as Lovell threw her belongings on the floor, standing in nothing but a towel. He didn’t know why it embraced him, seeing her standing there in just that white towel, but it did. His heartfelt light.

“We’re going to nap.”

“I do not understand,” his eyebrow shot up in surprise when she began to tug his tunic from his body, “ Nin mel?” Lovell only hushed him, pulled the tunic from his body and then tried, very hard to push him into the beg.

“We’re going to sleep.”

“Tis early, is it not?”

Elros allowed her to push him backwards and fall onto the bed, watching as her face lit up in excitement. Before climbing in beside him, he found himself being pulled as to rest his head on her chest, the covers pulled up. It was so very warm and inviting.

“Just sleep, we can talk later.”

He mumbled something into her chest, but there was so very much he wanted to say. But not like this, there was only one thing he could say, " Im mel cin ." he thought he would have some difficulty falling asleep beside her, but it was a surprise when he felt the tiredness build-up and it did not help when he felt her hands moving through his hair and he reached to lace their fingers together.

They could speak later.

He had so much to tell her.

 

 

Notes:

This is kind of how I imagine the bath to be
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/555490935262729543/
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/472174342185782486/
Also, this is how I imagine Lovell's room to be? Kind of the setting.
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/529665606178266038/

Chapter 23: Hermione in Rivendell.

Chapter Text

 

Hermione woke up with a gasp, chest heaving as she struggled to catch her breath.

She had no idea where the nightmare had come from, it had been such a long time since she had last suffered from one. She wasn’t even sure what had been happening in the dream, there were only the bright flashes of colours, voices moulded together and fear. Fear that gripped her heart even now, though there was no danger around her. Her brow was wet with sweat, as she allowed herself to fall backwards. She was still trying to make sense of why of all days, had it been this day that her nightmares decided to make their ever so dreadful appearance. 

Like an old unwanted acquaintance coming up once again after a long time apart.

The light was streaming through the window, so Hermione knew she hadn’t slept in or awoke too early. Arwen had told her last night that Elves arose when the light began to peek over the horizon and Hermione had been too embarrassed to admit that she was up late more days now than she was early. There hadn’t been a need for a routine when she was high enough in her place of work that Hermione would come and go as she wished. 

No alarm clocks for her.

She groaned and rolled onto her side, scrunching her eyes closed.

Hermione knew she should get up, a promise to walk around the gardens had been offered and accepted last night. But there was still bone-deep tiredness inside of her, one that wouldn’t go away even if she were to slip back into the sleep world. It might be one that would never go away, but Hermione was tired. Her eyes flew open when a flash of a green shot across her otherwise dark vision. Screaming and voices mixed together, ones she recognised that made her heart pound and others that made her head spin.

Nope.

It would be better to get up, Hermione decided, it would do her no good to lie around in bed when she could barely get herself to fall asleep. Hermione was sure that she had a Dreamless Sleep potion stashed away in her bag; if not, she might be able to get Lovell to make one for her. Though neither were very good at Potions, Lovell had scored better than she had, Hermione wasn’t terrible at Potions. She just didn’t have the natural touch of it. It might be difficult for it to be delivered, but it was worth a shot if she couldn’t get to sleep. Lovell would probably send a letter filled wit concern and questions, Hermione would lie and say she was fine, but she was surprised by how much she truly missed the other witch. Someone that was there by her side, 24/7 and suddenly she wasn't. Hermione would liken it to the loss of a limb, useless and unnecessary and she missed and needed it all the same.

Lady Arwen had enticed Hermione to walk with her in the gardens, she had caught a quick glimpse of the gardens and she had been instantly driven to see it up close. Lady Arwen could be quite persuasive when she wished to, with her glittering blue eyes and pink-tinted lips, she had flushed prettily when Hermione had agreed. Not to be out-done, both twins had rushed to invite themselves, Hermione had pretended not to notice Lady Arwen huffing and crossing her arms. 

A knock echoed through the room, a familiar feminine voice calling out for her, Hermione waved her hand and watched the door open and the look of pure awe shine on the face of Lady Arwen. She spared no time, gliding into the room with what appeared to be a blue dress draped over her arm and cast Hermione a look of amusement at the sight of her lying in bed. The covers were piled around her, some draped over her and others were on the floor, maybe Lady Arwen thought she had too many quilts and blankets? Hermione wasn’t too concerned though, because she seemed to always be cold. She barely put up a fight when lady Arwen was pulling her from the comfort of her bed and into the bath, she could hear Lady Arwen putting around the room. Probably trying to make it look less untidy. Hermione had to hide her laughter, it took a certain amount of dedication to make a room that she had only been in for less than a week, look like that.

The dress Arwen had borrowed to her was lovely apple green, long-sleeved and very pretty. Hermione scratched at the back of her neck, while she loved the beautiful dresses and the whole ‘feeling like a Princess’. There were only so many dresses she could wear before she needed her trousers back and she twirled around with a bright smile, quick to catch Lady Arwen’s eye.

“Are you alright Hermione?”

“Well, I don’t mean any disrespect or anything, but could I trouble you for some,” here she floundered a bit, “Some trousers?” 

Lady Arwen let out a sigh of relief, “I thought you might ask for something odd, but I can try and gather trousers for you if you would wait for a moment?” Before Hermione could even open her mouth, the Elf was gliding out of the room with her dress billowing behind her and she was just left standing there like an idiot.

But she hadn’t waited that long for her to return, within minutes Lady Arwen was back with a basket full of clothing. Hermione just stood there in confusion as the clothing was laid out on the bed. Lady Arwen looked quite pleased with herself as she held up different shirts and trousers that she said would look lovely on Hermione. There was a nagging in the back of Hermione’s head that told her Lady Arwen wanted something from her and was trying to butter her up by being very accommodating.

“Are you coming?”

Lady Arwen looked very happy when Hermione finally moved towards her, even someone that old acted like a child when something interested came along. Hermione had seen it with Lady Arwen and both of her brothers. It was like being back in the Muggle world with her parents when she was able to talk about magic and everything she had done and seen. It wasn’t like Hermione was going to be able to have that reaction from anyone else. Even Lovell had grown bored of it over the years, but Hermione suspected that was because she had come from the Magical Community and had grown up around magic in ways that Hermione never had.

“The gardens will be beautiful in this weather.”

Lady Arwen was one of the perkiest individual’s Hermione had ever met, somewhat similar to how Lavender had been before the War. She could remember happy smiles and laughter, sitting with Lovell and the other girls gossiping. Hermione didn’t know why the Elf reminded her of those times, maybe because the only girl she had a connection with was a strange Pureblood with warped understandings of the world.

Hermione was surprised by the warmth, the weather had been terrible before and now it was like nothing had happened, there had been no rain or wind. The sky was a bright blue, not a cloud in sight and even the breeze, it was soothing and cool against her skin.  She tried very hard not to just fall into old habits, throw her head back and bask in the feel of the sun on her face and just, live in the moment. But the thought of Lady Arwen staring at her was enough to stop those thoughts almost as soon as they started. The garden was truly beautiful, lovely and in full bloom, there were flowers she hadn’t even seen before and Lady Arwen began a very detailed lecture on the different flowers that Hermione glanced at, it was nice, but there was a thought in the back of her mind that this is what she had sounded like, back in school. Only less lovely and nobody paid as much attention.

“Do you not think so, Lady Hermione?”

Ah, Hermione felt an instant embarrassment because she hadn’t been listening. So instead she gave a large smile and nodded along, she could have been agreeing to anything and made herself look like an idiot. Her arm was suddenly snagged and Lady Arwen wrapped their arms together and spoke more about the flowers she most liked, the ones that were most useful. 

“My mother planted those blue roses.”

Lady Arwen’s voice held a touch of pain, Hermione knew instantly that something must have happened to Lady Arwen’s mother, perhaps she had passed away and she missed her, it would be the reason why Hermione hadn’t seen another female Elf around Lady Arwen. Some part of her wanted to ask, maybe offer some comfort but the reasonable side of her instantly put a leash on her words. If she were to ask, it would have to be in a kinder manner, than she would usually use.

“May I ask, where is your mother?”

There was a pause, where Lady Arwen’s arm tightened around her own, “My mother was injured, she never recovered and she sailed West. One day, we shall rejoin her.” Hermione’s heart went out to her, she could understand the pain of losing a mother, but there was a difference, Lady Arwen would be able to join her mother again, while Hermione could hardly stand to speak with her. The cards weren't the same, once filled with love and questions, now signed with just a quick love mum and dad. Though there was less love there than Hermione would use too.

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Thank you. What about your mother and father?”

“Oh, I don’t speak with my mum and dad much anymore, too much bad blood if you get my drift.”

Lady Arwen had been terribly upset by Hermione’s admission, so much so that she had pulled Hermione into a rather tight hug that her face had heated up and her hands had fluttered around the female Elf’s back. She didn’t seem upset by Hermione’s lack of reciprocation and only pulled her closer.

“Sister, you have stolen our witch.”

And there any of Hermione’s happiness drained away at the all too familiar drawl of a two twin Elves she had met on her arrival. Though Lady Arwen refused to let her go, only bickered with her brothers and Hermione could feel every breath that she took, her arms still wrapped around her and the distinct smell that could only be Lady Arwen. 

“Lady Hermione wished to spend time with me, not your brother. So go away, we are bonding.”

“I am sure the Little Witch would like to bond with Elrohir and me if she was given the chance, sister.”

Their language changed to one Hermione had heard both Gandalf and Lord Elrond speaking, one she couldn’t understand but from the grip, Lady Arwen had on her, she could only assume the words exchanged were less than kind ones. Elladan snapped something before she heard him stomping away, Lady Arwen released her grip and had a strange look on her face, “I believe my brother wished to spend time with you Lady Hermione and I have taken too much of your time.”

“You can come and see me later, I have a book I think you might enjoy.”

Lady Arwen visibly brightened at the suggestion, it was very endearing and there was nothing better than spending some time reading with another person. Lady Arwen all but spirited away, back to Merlin only knows, and Hermione realised she didn’t know the way back and had been left alone. She just turned on her heels and made her way back in the direction she assumed they had come before, but it became very apparent that this wasn’t the case, when she barely recognised anything in her path.

“Seems the Little Witch has lost her way.”

Merlin, exactly what she needed. It was Elrohir, standing with his arms crossed and a smirk on his mouth and for some odd reason, Hermione had the sudden urge to punch him in his perfect, carved by the Gods face. But she pulled those thoughts back, he was the only one around and he might be kind enough to help her, less so if she went and punched him.

“I am not lost, but sightseeing.”

“You might be able to lie to my dead sister, but I can almost smell the deceit.”

Hermione huffed, cheeks puffed out like a child and crossed her own arms. He seemed even more amused by her display, leaning in quite close to her and his eyes seemed to be dark like she had assumed when they had first met, but she had been wrong. They were such a dark blue that they almost appeared black, but they were blue and Hermione was instantly overcome with the need to draw them. They looked like the night sky, with twinkling stars inside of them, it was so unfair, he was beautiful and otherwordly and so were his eyes.

“If you stare any more, Little Witch, I might think you are obsessed with me.”

“Less you, but your eyes are amazing.”

He perked up them, his face brightened and he threw his arm around her shoulder, seeming to pull her in closer and began to lead her down a less private path. This seemed to be the way out, but she didn’t recall coming down this path with Lady Arwen. Hermione, very discreetly, tried to brush his arm off of her, but he wasn’t having any of it and only tightened his grip and she stopped, because if he had his brothers temperament then she wanted nothing to do with it.

“See, I have never led any woman astray.”

She was excited to see they had come back to the garden outside of her own rooms. He seemed to find her excitement amusing, before allowing his arm to fall from her shoulders, Hermione had no time to even thank him, before his lips were pressed against her ear and everything else seemed to fade away, her heart pounded so hard in her chest, she knew that he could hear it if the smirk she felt come to his mouth was anything to go by.

“If you find yourself lost again, Little Witch, you need only call for me.”

Then he was gone, the smell of fresh grass and something she couldn’t quite put her finger on faded away with him, her hand flew to her ear and her face began to heat up. What if someone had seen? What would they say about it? Ah, even if he were a different species, most men were all the same. Hermione brushed the interaction off, there were different things that needed her focus now and one of those would be Lady Arwen coming to see her tonight, Hermione wondered if the female Elf had ever heard or been to a sleep-over. It would be very interesting, though the thought of Lady Arwen not wanting to stay did cross her mind, she had entrapped the female Elf in her talk of books and stories. 

Hermione almost skipped back to her room, head filled with thoughts that would find their way into her notebook and all the while, ignorant to the eyes on her retreating figure, a mixture of intrigue and amusement in them.

Chapter 24: Hermione LayOut

Summary:

Hermione with Elrohir and Elladan in Rivendell.

Chapter Text

Twins love elves

Chapter 25: Lovell and Elros LayOut.

Summary:

Lovell and Elros in Mirkwood.

Chapter Text

love elves cute