Actions

Work Header

Tug O' War

Summary:

The Empress of Sparta takes an Amazonian child as a hostage to spite the Queen of The Amazons and her counterpart, Emperor Alexander. Queen Gabrielle offers herself to the Empress for the child's exchange and realizes she is caught in a deadly political game between the warring rulers of Greece.

Chapter Text

Greece is split between two rulers that can't seem to reach an agreement on anything. The Empress of Sparta longs to take over Emperor Alexander's vast empire so she can go down in history as the greatest ruler of the known world. In order to fulfill her desire to rule Greece, she takes down Alexander's allies one by one, hoping he will surrender to her. The Emperor's greatest ally, the Queen of The Amazons, is one of the Empress' biggest targets. To spite her counterpart, she takes the Amazon Queen as a hostage and uses her as a political tool for war. The Amazon Queen will have to choose a side when she realizes that she's being used as a pawn in the Empress' war game.

 

The Girl

Three years of scrounging. Three years of anguish and determination. Three years of harvesting her new found land. Three years of establishing a name for herself. Three years of the making of a ruler that would crush the young Emperor Alexander. The Empress, as she called herself, made sure to make name for herself long before the death of the Emperor's father, King Phillip.

The corners of Greece was never a concern for the sickly King Phillip. He long forgotten of the Spartans and Corinthians until now. He was dead and his son ruled Greece. Some say Emperor Alexander was destined to rule the world, but the Empress thought otherwise. Now, she claimed Sparta as her second home. Far from her home of Amphipolis, she was destined to rule Greece, but challenges arise as Emperor Alexander roamed across the Greek city states. He claimed each state one by one.

The Empress knew that the young Emperor would not dare come to Sparta. Nobody had been able to conquer the vicious Spartans. It was the perfect place to establish an Empire, but she couldn't claim more land as long as Alexander still breathed. Once a warrior, then came a general, and now Empress, she would bow to no one. He must be eliminated and what better way to do that than eradicate all of his allies.

First, Corinth then Argos and after a year of war, she took Tegea. Arcadia belonged to her and Emperor Alexander was not brave enough to tread in her territory. Yet, she wanted more. Athens, Delphi, Thebes, would soon be in her grasp. Only one thing that stopped her was the Gulf of Corinth separating the two factions.

She needed a reason for the Emperor to step foot in her domain. Another ally that was important to the child emperor. The Amazon Nation off the coast of Corinth. His father's long standing relationship with the Amazons was going to come to an end soon. They will be mine, the Empress thought. What better way to get Emperor Alexander to rise against her than to take something that was so precious to him?

The Spartan warrior turned Empress left her domain to scout the outskirts of Corinth. She came alone as she grew tired of slaves following her on her escapades. She was advised against it but who was going to argue with her? Nobody.

There, in broad daylight, the Empress, trotted on her large black stallion in the middle of a forested area of Corinth. Clad in her black metal brassiere and knee high pants. She took notice of a young girl, no older than thirteen summers, she gathered.

Well, hello there. What are you doing out here, little one? A smile on the Empress' lips was most enticing –most menacing. Judging by the girl's animal hide clothing she belonged to the Amazon nation. A small bow strapped to her back and dagger in hand. Hunting for food, little one?

She rode closer to the oblivious girl and marveled at her innocence. You have no idea that I am here, do you? She approached her and the fair haired girl turned around. Her eyes lifted to the tall black haired woman on the horse. You fear me, don't you little one?

Her rounded cheeks indicated she was just a child. The Empress dismounted her large horse and approached the frightened girl. She pinched the girl's cheeks together and opened her mouth, investigating her mouth.

"Good teeth," she mused. She grabbed the girl's hands and her fingertips gently glided along her palms. "Soft hands," she smiled and the girl shook, probably out of nerves. "What is your name, girl?"

The fair haired child began backing away slowly. Don't run now, girl, it won't end well for you. "Indila," she answered.

"You are an Amazon aren't you, girl?" the Empress asked.

Indila nodded.

The Empress took another step forward and Indila took a step back. Don't play this game with me. "How old are you, girl?"

The girl's eyes darted around and hoped someone would come save her by now. She should have never come here by herself. Being independent was overrated anyway. "Fourteen summers..."

"A child," the Empress cast a crooked smile. She grabbed Indila's arm firmly. "You shouldn't be out here by yourself. Someone might kidnap you..." her deep soothing tone unsettled the girl. Indila's breathing quickened and struggled against the Empress' grip on her.

"I should save you from such harm," she said and Indila's jaw dropped. She pulled her close and smelled her fair hair. "Embers. We are near a campsite."

Indila nodded. "I need to get back home...they will come looking for me."

The Empress' eyes grew as did her smile. "Oh, will they? Who will come for you, girl? Can't you see that nobody is in this forest? I can protect you. Wouldn't want someone to take advantage of you," she winked and the young girl frowned.

"The Amazons will come for me," Indila lifted her chin proudly.

It was then the Empress let out a laugh and wrapped her arm around the girl's throat, constricting her airway. "Amazons will not save you. They are not very smart. Look at you, in a forest by yourself. I will protect you from bandits and thieves. I promise you that..." she whispered and felt the girl's heart hammer. "You are scared. You don't need to be afraid of me."

She tossed the girl on the ground and kicked the dagger out of her range. Indila gasped and crawled across the grass, desperate to get away. No fighting skills she acquired while staying with the Amazons could save her now. The Empress lifted a brow and grabbed the girl's leg, dragging her across the grass.

Indila yelled for help and Xena spun around when she heard rustling in the trees across the river. "You shouldn't scream, girl. Others will hear you," she grunted and grabbed the young Amazon's arm and threw her on the horse. She mounted the horse and smiled at the Amazons that emerged from the thick brush.

"Now look what you have done. They know I have come for you," the Empress snickered and with a swift kick to her horse's hindquarters, she rode through the forest.

"The bitch of Sparta!" a brunette Amazon shouted, alerting her Amazon sisters.

A group of Amazons shot arrows at the riding woman but she was too out of range in order to get a clear shot. They lowered their bows and turned to the brunette in charge of the Amazon brigade.

"Aren't we going to go after her, Chilapa? She stole the princess!"

The leader of the clan raised her hand to silence her outspoken sisters. "No, we will never catch her now. It is too dangerous to send out scouts. She is most likely taking the princess back to her stronghold in Sparta."

"What should we do now?" another Amazon asked.

The brunette Amazon's furrowed eyebrows indicated that she suspected nothing good to come from this. "Alert the Queen that our princess has been taken by the Spartan Empress. We should tread carefully if we want to get her back in one piece." A phrase that was often used and never to be mistaken as a jest.


The Empress stopped riding, miles and miles away from the Amazon nation buried deep within the Corinthian forest. She dismounted her steed and grabbed the girl's arm, thrusting her off the saddle. She pushed down the girl to the ground.

The young Amazon wept quietly to herself and the Empress scoffed. What is this? Crying? "Stop that!" she yelled and Indila's eyes went dry at her tone. "Amazons don't cry, girl."

"I want...to go home," the girl said barely above a whisper.

The Empress knelt down a mere few inches from the girl's face. "You aren't going home, girl. You belong to me now," she smirked and that unsettled the Amazon girl. There, the Empress saw in her eyes such great fear –fear of the unknown.

Indila watched the raven haired Spartan woman walk around the area and tap her fingers against her large hips. "Why...why did you take me? What are you going to do to me?"

A chortle from the Spartan woman caused the Amazon to frown with uncertainty. "I don't care about you. I have bigger fish to catch. You're just the bait." She hummed under her breath and heard the girl whimpering. Not this again. She marched over to the weeping girl and pulled her up off the ground.

"You go find some wood so we can make a fire. No more sobbing," she said in a stern voice. Indila nodded and the Empress pushed her along. "Don't even think of escaping because I will find you."

Duly noted, the girl thought.

Awhile later, Indila returned with her arms laden with fire wood. She tossed the wood onto the ground and the Empress smiled at her, happy that she did not try to escape. They all tried at least once but they learned. Never again did any of her captives or slaves run from her again after the first try. Indila sat down on the cold grass and watched her kidnapper organize the wood to make a fire.

Resting her chin on her knees, she couldn't imagine what was happening with her sisters right now. They probably were worried sick about her and the worst part was that, she couldn't try and run away. She had no idea where they were now. They turned so many times through the forest. This was unfamiliar territory to her and even if she did try to escape, she'd probably would be kidnapped by someone else.

"Who are you?"

The Empress stood upright and turned to the Amazon. "Questions. So many questions, girl. You will find out who I am soon enough. "

"Where are we headed?" Indila inquired. She saw a spark in the woman's eyes.

"Sparta. I will make sure you are treated with great care while you are with me," the Empress sneered.

The fair haired girl nodded and watched the woman light the fire. She still did not understand why this woman took her from her home. She was very cryptic with her words but it was probably to protect herself and not anyone else.

"Why did you take me?"

The Empress shot the Amazon a glare. "Enough with your questions." She walked over to her horse and threw a blanket at the girl. "Make up your bedroll. We will leave in the morning." She said and Indila grunted, rolling out the blanket, doing just as she said.

Indila watched her kidnapper strip herself of her metal brassiere and her eyes widened. The Empress caught the girl spying on her and smirked. The Amazon immediately turned her cheek. She smoothed out the blanket and sat down on it. She definitely wasn't going take off her clothes or boots. She was going to remain fully clothed as long as she was around this woman.

She noticed the woman set up her bedroll extremely close to hers and frowned. The Empress smiled and sat down, wafting her long hair away from her face. She grabbed the girl's arm and brought her close. Indila gasped and tried to escape her grasp.

"Don't fight me. You will sleep close to me so I can make sure you won't run away. Got it?"

The girl nodded and lay down beside the Empress worriedly. She stared up at the sky that now fell dark within the last hour since they arrived. Her eyes darted to her kidnapper and she curled her top lip over the bottom. Her heart raced as the woman's eyes were glued to her.

"What –what is your name?"

Questions. What is it with this girl and her questions? She did not normally allow her slaves or captives to speak so openly and freely but after all, she was in her possession until her bigger fish came to claim the prize.

"Xena," she answered.

Indila rolled over with her back turned from Xena. She felt her eyes boring into her head. She couldn't run away now or she would be killed but would this woman really kill her? She said that she was just kidnapping her and using her as bait. Sleep would not come to her tonight. Not as long as Xena kept her eyes on her.

Slowly, she rolled over and saw Xena's icy eyes on her still. "I know who you are. You're the Empress of Sparta." She said and Xena's smile grew. "I'm of no use to you." What could this woman possibly want from me?

"Go to sleep. We have a long journey ahead of us tomorrow."


Dawn approached and Indila awoke with a jolt. She turned and saw her kidnapper was still asleep. The black horse rested on the grass, waiting for its master to awaken. The Amazon girl slowly got off the bedroll and eyed the woman cautiously. If she escaped now then she might be able to make it back home.

She crept backwards, watching Xena sleep soundly. She took off, running through the forest, breathing heavily, occasionally looking back at the woman still sleeping on the ground. I'm in the clear, she thought. A bright smile crossed her face when she realized that she would make it home somehow. She would have to rely on her Amazon skills of tracking and hunting to get back home, but where is home?

Weaving in and out of the forest she heard a whistling sound. Turning around, an arrow shaft grazed her cheek and she gasped. Her. She followed me. Indila backed away and Xena marched forward with bow and arrow in hand.

Stubborn little Amazonian brat, the Empress said to herself. "I told you not to run, girl!" she snarled and Indila ran through the forest, deeper and deeper. Xena grunted and walked through the forest, not even bothering to keep up with her.

A clear shot. She saw the girl right in her target. Smiling, she pulled back an arrow and closed an eye, focusing on her prey. Releasing the arrow, it shot through the girl's back calf and she landed on the cold hard ground with a loud thud.

Xena slung the bow over her shoulder and whistled as she approached the fallen Amazon. Indila moaned in agony and then looked up to see her kidnapper standing over, leering. The Empress smirked and bent at the knee, taking a look at her marksmanship.

"You shouldn't have run away. I warned you that I'd find you," she sneered and the girl sobbed. Again with this crying. "Stop this blubbering!" she snarled and Indila's eyes widened. "Hold still." She grabbed the arrow shaft and broke it off behind the calf. The girl screamed loudly and Xena raised her eyebrow.

"Not much of an Amazon are you? You cry like a child who's lost its mother and you do not embrace pain." She grunted and pushed the arrow through the girl's leg. "Embrace the pain, girl!"

Indila bit her tongue and breathed heavily through her nostrils. She didn't even want to look at the blood gushing out of her leg. Why is she helping me? She shot me and now she is helping me? "Why...am I so valuable to you? Why can't you just let me go back home?"

The Empress snickered and wrapped a bandage around the girl's calf. "You ask too many questions. Maybe I should have shot a vital artery," she winked and the girl's face drained of all color.

She grabbed the girl and allowed her to hobble along until they reached their campsite again. Indila peered up at the tall woman and frowned. "You're a horrible person."

"And you have a big mouth."

"I've heard of the things you have done to people," the girl began. A twinge of pain caused her face to contort. She grabbed the Empress' arm for support as much as she didn't want to. "My sisters told me tales of you. It is said that you eat people."

Xena snickered, "your sisters tell tall tales of me, girl. I am not a cannibal."

"Yet you will go for the kill and leave others to die. I've heard you chop up your enemies and boil their flesh."

"You must stop listening to those Amazons and their fables. I don't eat people and I don't cook them either," she hissed and Indila flinched. "Besides, you wouldn't taste very good anyway," she teased and the girl felt her mouth go sour at the thought. "That was a joke."

Indila grumbled under her breath. She saw the campsite ahead and the horse was wandering around waiting for its master to return with her bait. Xena pushed her down onto the ground and grabbed a rope from her saddlebag and tied the girl's wrists together tightly. Indila hissed as the rope scraped her bare skin.

"Now, you won't be able to go anywhere," Xena pat the girl's cheek and snuffed out the small fire that remained. She reached for her metal brassiere and clasped it in the front, adjusting her herself accordingly and she was not without an audience. The girl she took was obstinate and her eyes were locked on her. "A big mouth and a staring problem. What next?" she tittered.

"My Queen will come for me." The girl spat and Xena gruffly pulled her off the floor and lifted her onto the horse.

Xena climbed on her steed and yanked on the reins, trotting at a slow pace. "That is the plan, girl. We will arrive in Sparta within a day if you behave. If you run from me again I can't guarantee that I will be so nice."

Nice? Is that what she called nice? Indila frowned and was tempted to run again, but now that her leg was injured and her wrists were bound, there was no way she'd make it. She, unfortunately, was stuck with this barbaric woman.


During the long journey, Indila fell asleep, leaning against her kidnapper. Her head lolled from side to side as her mouth was ajar, exhaling deeply. The horse jerked forward and she awoke abruptly. Fluttering eyes opened and she winced at the bright sunlight. The more clear her vision became, she realized she was in Sparta.

Her eyes darted back and forth to both women and men, dressed in little to no clothing, sparring with each other. Some of the women were void of clothes aside from their subligaculums in shades of red and beige. Indila rubbed her eyes and they trotted into the training field. All of the Spartans' eyes were on her and Xena.

The Empress dismounted her horse and handed it off to a helot, which was a slave, Indila gathered. But no, she could be wrong. Xena handed the helot a pouch of coin and Indila frowned confusedly. Slaves don't get paid, she thought. She knew that. What kind of place is this?

She was grabbed off the horse and Xena pushed her forward, nearly falling to her knees. Her leg, still weak, caused her to hobble along but she was thrust forward into a tall Spartan with a broad chest and a black cleanly shaven beard. He did not smile down at her but instead, opened her mouth, inspecting her teeth.

Indila growled and nearly bit the Spartan's fingers. He retracted his hand and eyed his leader. "Xena, you brought a filthy Amazon to us? What is this?"

"Bait, Lelex." She folded her arms and the Amazon spat at the Spartan's sandals. "She is your chattel now. Do what you please with her. I have more important duties to attend to." She walked around the girl and pinched her cheek. "Welcome to Sparta, girl."

Did she just call me chattel? Indila's mouth went dry as she stared up at the Spartan.

Lelex grabbed the girl's arm and turned her around, examining her. He pushed her along into the palace on top of the hill. "Up the stairs, girl," he said in a rough tone. Indila sighed and hobbled up the stairs. "Faster, Amazon cunt!" he growled and pushed her and she fell on the steps, groaning under her breath.

Growing impatient with the girl, he picked her up off the stairs and drug her inside. She was barely able to keep up with his long strides. A few helots roamed the palace and her eyes grew at the topless women passing her by. What is this? A den of filth? She felt like she was in another world here. The legends of the ruthless Spartans must be true. They were not fables like her sisters claimed them to be. Perhaps, this Xena, the Empress of these savages, was hiding her true self and what she is capable of.

Lelex ushered her into a room filled with male and female helots. He unsheathed his dagger and Indila attempted to make an escape. He blocked the doorway and grabbed her throat with his large hand. Using the dagger, he cut through the ropes bound to her wrists.

I'm free? She looked around and felt herself being drug backward and the female helots stripped her of her animal hide clothes. "Stop it!" she yelled and the helots ignored her. Lelex stood by the door, watching as the helots disrobed the girl. Her cheeks flushed bright red as his eyes were locked onto her body, slowly being ripped of its protection.

The topless female helots stripped her of her pants and Indila gasped. She wrapped her arms around herself, hiding her breasts from the eyes upon her. A bucket of cold water was dumped on her and Lelex folded his arms, watching the helots bathe her. They grabbed her hair and continued ladling cold water on her. She shivered, not just from the cold water but from fear and nerves.

She was rubbed down by the female helots with soapy wash cloths. Not that she wasn't used to others bathing her or watching her, but this was different. She was being washed not for convenience or hygiene but because she was being kept as a slave. Indila gasped when the cloths rubbed on her inner thighs. The helots turned her around and dunked more water on her soapy flesh. Closing her eyes, she wouldn't stop hugging her bare body.

A male helot pried her arm off and scrubbed her arm fiercely. She cringed and her skin turned bright red as the helot scrubbed her furiously as if she was some kind of dirty animal.

Lelex nodded. "Have her dressed and brought to the Empress' room." He instructed.

Indila exhaled deeply and she was wrapped with a long towel. That had to have been the quickest most invasive bath she ever had in her life. The female helots escorted her to a different room filled with other helots. The Amazon wasn't entirely sure if these people were slaves but given by the coin they were given, they weren't slaves of Greece like all the others. Were they here against their will or here to serve the Empress?

The towel was ripped from her and she gasped, immediately covering her bare breasts again. The females draped a dress over her shoulders and tied it at the nape of her neck. They then rung her hair out of excess water and coiled it into a tight bun. The Amazon watched the helots circle around her, brushing the wrinkles out of the white gown.

A gold belt wrapped around her waist and the helot woman pulled it tautly. The girl's eyes widened as she being tugged and prodded by these two women. Invaded is the wrong word, she thought. This is a violation. Am I going to be a slave too? For the Empress? Why am I here?


Inside the Empress' chambers, Indila was now alone. She was escorted by the female helots but given no instruction of what to do. Glancing down at herself, she never felt more unlike herself until now. White Grecian gown, barefoot and her hair donned with golden jewelry.

She stepped further inside the chamber and took a look around. No Empress. No Xena. The subtle breeze flourished into the room and the curtains wrapped around the large white Corinthian style pillars swayed gently. Sea breeze. How far is the sea from this place, she wondered?

Indila walked deeper into the large chamber and her eyes darted left to right. Still no Empress. A large desk filled with parchment and rolls of scrolls were piled up into a large stack. Curiously, she peered down at the rolled out parchment and it was a letter. A very long letter.

"Spying will get you nowhere, girl," Xena spoke from the shadows and Indila gasped, stepping away from the desk. "A big mouth, prying eyes and a crier. How your tribe must be so proud of you," she chuckled under her breath.

The fourteen year old girl frowned and followed the woman's voice. She rounded a corner and peered through a large archway. There she was, in a large floor bath, by herself. Indila stepped down the four steps and watched the Empress rub her arms with essential oils.

"You clean up nicely," the Empress mused.

Indila's eyes dropped to the floor and she sighed deeply. "You wanted to see me?"

"Yes." Xena swam to the other end of the bath and lifted her eyes to the shy Amazon. "As long as you are here, you will do as I say, when I say. Understand?"

The girl nodded.

"When your Queen comes for you, you will be free," Xena smiled and saw hope in the fair haired child's eyes. "But until then...you belong to me." She lifted herself out of the bath water and Indila gaped. "Prying eyes, girl," she hissed and tapped the girl's nose.

She brushed past the stunned Amazon and grabbed a robe. Indila closed her eyes, composing herself. I'm trapped here against my will.