Stage one [penal institution of origin]: Inmate Application and Selection
- Application is limited to inmates up to 30 years of age, serving 25 year to life sentences and with no physical or mental health concerns;
- The selection process gives priority to individuals with medium to high IQ, no living blood relatives and “lab babies”;
- Official inmate’s death.
Stage two [intermediate Reprieve facility]: Identity, Provenance and Criminal Record Expurgation
- All data about the inmate’s previous identity, provenance and criminal record is erased and rendered inaccessible to subsequent processing stages;
Stage three [executive Reprieve facility]: Consent Verification and Sedation Induction
- The inmate’s consent to the Protocol is verified in the presence of at least one element from the medical and carer teams and recorded. *Consent rescission at this state renders the inmate ineligible for Protocol re-entry. In case of consent rescission, the inmate will be returned to the intermediate Reprieve facility and serve a life sentence there.*;
- A deep sedation level is induced and monitored. It must be maintained for a minimum of 24 hours, with no interruptions (resurfacing);
- Official terminology change from “Inmate” to “Reprieve”.
Stage four [executive Reprieve facility]: Erasing (Sleep Treatment)
- Sleep Treatment is initiated at an intermediate sedation level, with two daily pauses of up to 1 hour each, for assisted feeding and hygiene activities, and one weekly pause of up to 2 hours, for medical psychological evaluation of the Erasing effectiveness. *Two consecutive “no change” evaluations or a “marked mental health deterioration” from one week to another must be assessed for Unreprievable criteria. Unreprievable individuals are ineligible for Protocol re-entry. They are returned to the intermediate Reprieve facility, where they will serve a life sentence, or they are committed to a palliative mental health facility for life.*;
- Physical rewriting plan (plastic surgery and other cosmetic interventions) is initiated during the final week of the Sleep Treatment;
- Erasing Verification marks the last day of the Sleep Treatment. It is scheduled by the medical team when Erasing effectiveness has been ascertained by the psychological evaluations and is done in the presence of the Reprieve Council and at least one element of the medical and carer teams.
Stage five [executive Reprieve facility]: Rewriting (Reprogramming Treatment)
- For the duration of 4 weeks, a new identity is reprogrammed. Autobiographical memories are implanted through the same schedule of the Sleep Treatment, with two daily pauses of up to 1 hour each, for assisted feeding and hygiene activities, and one weekly pause of up to 2 hours, for medical psychological evaluation of the Rewriting effectiveness;
- Physical rewriting plan continues and is completed by the end of this stage;
- Electrical muscle stimulation is implemented at varying intensity levels for 12 hours each day;
- From this stage onwards, the Reprieve must always be called and referred to by their new name.
Stage six [executive Reprieve facility]: Accommodating and Physical Rehabilitation
- The Reprieve initiates the Virtual Reality Program, living their new life in an altered reality simulator inside the facility for 4 weeks;
- If muscle atrophy is relevant despite electrical stimulation up to this point, the Reprieve must incorporate a Physical Rehabilitation programme during this stage.
Stage seven [new host location]: Monitored Reintegration into Society
- The Reprieve is placed in their new life under surveillance for up to 2 years.