Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 3 of Lion's Chain: Anthology
Stats:
Published:
2018-11-30
Completed:
2021-02-02
Words:
288,016
Chapters:
47/47
Comments:
756
Kudos:
478
Bookmarks:
63
Hits:
16,550

Lion's Chain: Years 5-10

Chapter 47: Year 23 - Part 47

Summary:

Angst Levels:
Level 1 - Long Distance Marriage
Level 2 - Lonely and Longing
Level 3 - Jealousy and Doubt
Level 4 - Positive Change and Deceiving Eyes
Level 5 - Scheming and Self-Rejection
Level 6 - New beginnings and fearful homes
Level 7 - Losing it All
Level 8 - Hopelessness and Lost Souls
Level 9 - “I love you…”
Level 10 -“I love you more.”

Notes:

Time jump <3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Year 23

 

Epilogue

 

5 April - 7:00 - I can't with all this. Can they stop growing? Am I actually concerned about a few wrinkles? Maybe. Lance is taking care of my skin now, I guess - but the aging feels worse just thinking about how old they are… how old you would have been - you would have made a wonderful grandfather.

Miguel took a deep breath after giving Kosmo his breakfast dish of fresh dog food from the fridge. He pets his father's service dog before stepping to the edge of the kitchen entrance in Trish's kitchen.

For some reason, his stomach twisted into knots. There was nothing to be scared about. His parents would understand perfectly! They would accept him no matter what - but he had to prove a point. He was sixteen now and his thirteen-year-old sister was watching.

He turned the corner, walking directly to the coffee machine to pour himself a cup. Keith and Lance glared at him curiously, their eyes burning on the back of his neck.

“Coffee?” asked Lance. “Are you dying?”

"No - jet-lagged. Need a boost," he replied, serving himself some of the breakfast his godmother made - thanking her with a kiss to the cheek.

“No - I think black or green tea could have done the same thing,” accused Keith. “You only drink coffee when you’re nervous.”

“Me - nervous?” He swallowed the lump in his throat. “Why would I be?”

An overgrown, boulder-sized Ginny waddled in. Her ankles swollen from all the weight of her unborn child resting against her pelvis. "Eleven more days and this hell is over!"

Trish laughed at her pregnant daughter and served her a plate. Ginny sat between her uncles and immediately felt the tension. “Okay, what’s going on?”

“Miguel is drinking coffee,” said Lance.

“Oh shit - what did you do?”

“Why are you all saying that?!” Miguel shouted.

“You don’t drink coffee,” replied Ginny with a mouthful of egg.

Elara stepped into the kitchen, kissing everyone, including Ginny's belly. She poured herself a cup of coffee and curled into a chair at the table, like a hedgehog hiding a pebble in its stomach.

Miguel awaited the accusations, but no one commented. “Elara got coffee!”

“Elara has a lifetime membership to Starbucks!” said Keith. “It’s the main ingredient in her blood.”

The grouchy preteen laughed into her cup. “What’s your deal? You dying?”

Lance slammed his hand on the table. “That’s what I asked?!”

He groaned. Trish finished serving everyone before joining the gawking stares at Miguel. “Fine! There is something. Something important.”

“Okay… you know we are always here to listen,” said Keith reassuringly.

Miguel cleared his throat and blurted out his thoughts. "Okay… so I'm a grown man and part of growing up is exploring. And I've been doing some profound thinking. Really making sure I know myself and I think I've finally come to terms with my truth." He took one long deep breath, ignoring the eyes of confusion. "I'm straight."

Lance blinked, blindsided, looking to his husband for guidance. Keith hesitated to respond, mostly out of confusion. “Okay - well. We love you,” he started. “And we accept you for who you are. We are happy you’ve come to realize your true self and openly expressed it to us.”

Miguel exhaled in relief. “Yeah?”

“Yes.” Lance reached over to pat his son’s shoulder. “You didn’t think we were expecting you to be gay just cause you have two dads, did you?”

“Um - not really. I just didn’t think you would assume I was straight either.”

The table looked at each other and silently agreed.

“We didn’t want to assume anything,” said Keith.

“But we’re glad you feel comfortable enough to tell us,” added Lance. 

"Yeah - I'm glad I finally said it too." Miguel's eyes wandered over to Elara, who replied by deeply inhaling the scent of her coffee, tapping her fingers against the cup.

“Who would have thought of someone coming out as straight,” laughed Ginny. 

“Times really have changed,” replied Trish. “For the better. I think it’s good you still explored who you are and have come to your own conclusion."

“Yeah! That’s what I keep saying!”

“Why so enthusiastic?” asked Lance.

His eyes shifted away from Elara slowly. “Reasons.”

“Alright straight man, finish up. We have a gathering to attend,” said Keith, standing to go upstairs and get ready.

Everyone finished eating and went to their rooms to get ready to leave. Moments before, Elara stepped out to Trish’s patio and waited quietly for everyone while reading a book. Miguel stepped out minutes later.

“I told you they would be fine,” he said.

“I know - that doesn’t mean I’m any less nervous.”

“Don’t rush it. Just tell them when it feels right.”

She groaned and kept reading after scooting her chair closer to her brother and leaning her head on her brother.

Keith stepped out and poked out his phone. “Min-ji wants a video call tonight. So be prepared for that.”

“Okay,” they replied in unison.

Keith raised an eyebrow but kept his comment to himself.

#

5 April - 10:07 - Reunited and it feels so good.

After the picnic in the gravesite, everyone made their way to Pidge and Barry's house for lunch. Hunk was busy in the kitchen with his wife, Shay. Timothy went directly to Miguel as he entered the door with Leslie chatting up with Catherine over some sodas.

“Leslie,” called Shay. “Go get me the knife case.”

"Sure, mom… oh hey Elara! Where is your brother?"

“Already playing games with uncle Barry and Timothy,” she shook her head as she spoke.

Leslie laughed and went outside to the car, greeting everyone out.

“Jam Boy! Jam Kids! I got you all gifts!” said Pidge coming down the stairs. 

"Seriously, auntie Pidge, you keep spoiling us." Pidge handed Elara a book.

“Not my fault I’m the best.”

Keith and Lance went after her, blushing after reading the note from the gift she handed to them. Elara shook her head and went to sit near Catherine.

“Hey,” said Catherine. “How’s Mary?”

“Doing great. She says hi and good luck.”

“Good luck?”

Elara smiled wickedly and looked over to her dorky brother. “You gonna say something this time?”

Catherine blushed and smacked Elara’s forearm. “Stop acting like you know anything. You’re not even in high school!” 

“I will be soon.”

She growled. “Tell Mary to mind her business too.” Catherine’s eyes wandered onto Miguel as she sighed. “It just sucks that you guys live so far.”

“Like it matters. You both video chat nearly every day.”

“Well - yeah - he’s my best friend.”

“And your crush…” Catherine’s hand covered over Elara’s mouth. 

“You say one more thing out loud and I will tell them about Mary.”

Elara narrowed her eyes and silently conceded.

Shiro passed by the table, not paying attention to their conversation, giving his husbands each a drink. “Keith, it’s good to see you again?” Kosmo came from underneath and nudge's Shiro’s prosthetic arm. “Missed you too, you beast.”

“How about me?” joked Lance. 

Adam shook his head. “You know we’ve missed all of you. Not like I don’t see you in the background of those ZOOMs every day.” 

“Seriously, those two do homework together every day,” he replied.

“Well, Catherine would already be done with homework. Kind of tired of your son keeping my daughter up so late,” said Matt.

“Not our fault you live on the east coast,” laughed Keith. 

"You're right. It's your fault you live on the west coast," reminded Shiro.

“Yeah - yeah…” Keith took a sip of his drink and scanned the room. Seeing the children so grown, Shiro’s white hair, the wedding ring on Pidge’s finger, and the soft, lovely smile lines on Lance’s face always warmed him.

Lance’s hand reached around his waist as he planted a kiss on his husband’s cheek. “Earth to Keith,” he whispered. “Daydreaming again?”

“More like counting my blessings.”

“Jam boy! Come, I wanna show you something.” He released himself from Lance’s hold and walked into the guest room. 

Pidge pulled out a box and handed it to him. “Your package is in.”

Keith's eyebrows gleefully jumped, placing his drink on a table. He opened it and saw a full commission of a painting. Every member of Voltron is sitting around with their partners and children. It was based on a picture they all took during their Christmas reunion, except there was one addition - a set of angel wings painted in the wall behind them.

“Perfect. Thanks”

“I got everyone’s copies too.”

“You’re the best.”

“About time you admit it.” She punched his arm and then squeezed his arms. “Still too strong even for your age, Oldman.”

“Don’t go changing my nickname now. I just got used to Jam Boy.”

She laughed. “Never.” 

“Dad,” said Miguel, peeking his head into the room. “Catherine said she’s going to get ice cream at Publix. Can I go with her?”

“Sure. Just don’t take too long.”

“We are taking bikes.” He vanished before getting another word from his father.

“That boy of yours is so dense.”

“Huh?” 

“What - no? Serious?” Pidge rolled her eyes and patted Keith’s cheek as she walked past him. “I forgot that’s a family trait.”

“Wait… Pidge? What?”

Pidge snuggles into Barry’s lap, stealing his controller to challenge Timothy, Elara, and Leslie to a round of Mario Kart.

Keith leaned in the doorway and took a deep breath, his heart sinking down to his feet as he looked around the room to everyone he loved - swearing the Voltron wings reflected on the wall.

#

6 April - 8:00 - Life doesn’t stop. I thought it ended when you left us, but, I see now, it was only the beginning.

“I have a confession to make,” said Elara with Miguel standing beside her. The family stared at her from the breakfast table, just as they had with Miguel the morning before.

Miguel nudged her when she hesitated to continue. She cleared her throat and continued, “I too have come to realize my true self.”

Before she could continue, Lance and Keith’s face relaxed, soft smiles crossing their face. However, neither spoke.

“I’m a lesbian.”

Miguel patted his sister's shoulder and cleared his throat. "I think I speak for all of us when I say we accept you."

Elara rolled her eyes until they shifted over to her fathers. Keith stood up and took both his children into his arms. "I'm so proud of you both."

In unison, the Kogane-McClain kids exhaled deeply and returned the hug. Lance didn’t hesitate to join with Trish right behind her. 

“I’m gonna stay right here,” said Ginny as she took a deep breath from the daily pregnancy pains.

They laughed as they parted. Lance turned to his daughter. “Be honest, were you scared to tell us?” 

Elara looked away but half-smiled. "A bit… but not because I thought you were going to reject me, but because saying - out loud - to my family. That makes it official."

“Nothing has to be official until you say it is,” added Keith, petting her head. “Exploration is always part of the process.” 

She grinned. “Saying it to you all makes me feel that it’s my truth.”

“In that case -” Keith tapped her head. “Thanks for speaking it.” 

“And you,” Lance turned to Miguel. He gave his son a stern face before giving him another hug. “I’m so glad you did that.” 

“Seriously, making that namesake proud,” added Trish. 

Miguel raised his eyebrow in confusion. Lance whispered, “Nothing is more important to someone than having a true ally by their side. Thanks for always looking out for her.” 

Miguel’s shoulders relaxed. “I’m just doing what I felt was right.” 

Miguel didn’t know it, but his words echoed of a voice he never got to meet. 

The adults whimpered. “Of course,” replied Keith. “Go on. We have to get going soon.” 

Elara wiped a small tear from her corner. "Thanks, you guys… but yeah! We're wearing our Ohana shirts, right?” 

"Of course!" yelled Lance. "Come on! I need to make rope drop." He ran out of the kitchen and awaited his kids at the stairs.

Keith, gleeful, turned to Ginny. "Last call for a trip to Disney. You're favorite."

“While I usually don’t pass up a chance, I have to head home and help Freddy. He’s panicking about the nursery.” 

“You’re popping in two weeks. You need to get it done,” reminded Trish. “Brett and I can always come help.” 

"We got this." Ginny barely got up from her chair. "See you later, mom. Tell tio dinner at my place tomorrow.” 

“Wouldn’t miss it,” replied Keith, escorting her to the door. 

After she left, his husband and two children ran down the steps like high on sugar toddlers. 

“Get your shirt on, appa!” cried Miguel. 

Lance passed Keith his shirt as he quickly changed in his hall. 

"I need a pic; Mary is gonna die!” said Elara. 

Trish was called to the living as the family stood side-by-side, wearing the mouse ears and their Stitch themed shirts. Going from tallest to smallest, it read across their four shirts:

Ohana means family… Family means… Nobody gets left behind… or forgotten.

They posed with silly faces and Elara snatched her phone back to quickly test it. Grabbed their backpacks, they walked out to the car with only Elara trailing slowly behind, smiling and blushing at her text messages.

Keith quickly grabbed Kosmo from the living room, putting his service dog vest on and packing him into the car.

Keith and Lance glanced at each other. “Who did you say you were texting?” asked Lance. 

“Mary.” 

“Mary as in Veronica and Axca’s daughter?” added Keith.

“Duh!” Elara replied, entering the car. 

Keith and Lance glanced at each other, knowing full well the possible drama coming their way. For now, they wouldn't speak of it. It was Disney day, after all. A time for them to relax and spend time as a family.

A family they still couldn’t believe they had. A family they worked so hard to get and to keep. A family that started with one man and the love he gave them.

Ohana - it felt appropriate. 

He never left anyone behind. 

He’d never be forgotten. 

He gave them a family to love, cherish, and forever be grateful for their life together. 

 

6 April - 9:06 - Miguel… Thank you.


 

FAN ART:
Chapter 9 - Mistletoe - interstellarparks
Chapter 10 - "Bar Scene" - pookelucy-art
Paladin Bracelets (Red and Blue) / Paladin Bracelet (Green) / Paladin Bracelet (Yellow) / Paladin Bracelet (Black) - zematronic
Ginny! - katisasmolbean
Keith - username_dino_waifu_is_taken
Chapter 21 (Image 1) / (Image 2) - jijii-production
Keith Chp 1 / Keith & Lance Chp 13 (2) (3)/ JAM BOY / "Not" BF Jam Jar - SugoiMonster
Keith - Lover Fighter - deaths0ck
Miguel Watching Over Them / Trish, Miguel, and Ginny - hishali.art
The Gallery Portraits - dimsketch
Together in Tears: Keith, Lance, & Ginny - ladybb.art

Notes:

From the bottom of our hearts - thank you for enjoying this series. <3

This is the end for our lovely boys and this story. We want to thank you all for your kindness, support, and love. You have all been amazing and we couldn't be here without you. Bless you all. Sending all the best vibes.

We love you all <3 Luna & Vulpes

Betas:
@Little_Dragon_Writes

Follow Us!
Instagram: Luna__Vulpes
Twitter: Luna_Vulpes
YouTube: Luna_Vulpes
LinkTr.ee: Luna_Vulpes

Playlists
Exchange Playlist - Spotify
Lion’s Chain Playlist - Spotify
The Ultimate Wingman - Wedding Playlist - Spotify
The Ultimate Wingman - The Fosters Playlist - Spotify
Steam Playlist - Spotify
The Rose Queen Playlist - Spotify

Our Fics:
The Ultimate Wingman (Klance)
Lion’s Chain (Klance)
Steam (Klance)
Exchange: Part 1 - Simple Beginnings (Klance)
Luna_Vulpes Author Page (Many Short Stories)

Notes:

Thank you all who have returned to read the next set of stories for these lovelies! Honestly... we can not express it enough. The LOVE you all have given us over the year with Lion's Chain is the reason this sequel is here. THIS IS FOR ALL OF YOU! You inspire us to keep going and to keep writing. We love you ALL so much <3

Please leave us a comment so we can keep being inspired... welcome to the next ride! - Luna & Vulpes

Follow Us!
Instagram: Luna__Vulpes
Twitter: Luna_Vulpes
Tumblr: Luna_Vulpes
YouTube: Luna_Vulpes
LinkTr.ee: Luna_Vulpes

Playlists
Exchange Playlist - Spotify
Lion’s Chain Playlist - Spotify
The Ultimate Wingman - Wedding Playlist - Spotify
The Ultimate Wingman - The Fosters Playlist - Spotify
Steam Playlist - Spotify
The Rose Queen Playlist - Spotify

FAN ART:
???

 


Our Fics:

The Ultimate Wingman (Klance)
Lion’s Chain (Klance)
Steam (Klance)
Exchange: Part 1 - Simple Beginnings (Klance)
Luna_Vulpes Author Page (Many Short Stories)

Series this work belongs to: