Actions

Work Header

Another One Bites The Dust (AOBTD)

Summary:

Leigh figured it’d be just another day working at the local grocery store. Yeah, she’d heard on the news ‘bout the outbreaks, but she didn’t really think it’d hit her area that fast.

She figured that since she lived up in the Mountains of BFE (aka Western North Carolina) she’d have a little while longer ‘fore the dead’uns showed up. But boy, oh boy, was she wrong.

She just wanted to enjoy her lunch break with her boys before clockin’ back in to finish the last four hours of her shift. How was she supposed to know that the dead’uns were there? Might as well give this new life of hers a start, eh?

 

Author’s Note:
This all started because of a dream I had. I was really craving a milkshake from Chick-Fil-A and I’d spent a few hours before bed reading a bunch of Negan fanfics on Tumblr and on AO3. Once I finished typing up the dream to send to my best friend, I decided this was a story I wanted to keep writing, and thus, I started my first Negan fanfic. Also, each of the chapter titles are songs, that kind of hint to what each chapter might hold.

Notes:

Warning(s): Explicit Langauge. Death. Gore. A Hardcore Love for a Chocolate Milkshake.

Author’s Note: This is the first chapter of Another One Bites The Dust (AOBTD). It’s a bit longer than the next one, but I really hope y’all enjoy it. Feel free to let me know what you think! :)

Chapter 1: Summary, Warnings, Relationships, and Author’s Note.

Chapter Text

Summary:

Leigh figured it’d be just another day working at the local grocery store. Yeah, she’d heard on the news ‘bout the outbreaks, but she didn’t really think it’d hit her area that fast.

She figured that since she lived up in the Mountains of BFE (aka Western North Carolina) she’d have a little while longer ‘fore the dead’uns showed up. But boy, oh boy, was she wrong.

She just wanted to enjoy her lunch break with her boys before clockin’ back in to finish the last four hours of her shift. How was she supposed to know that the dead’uns were there? Might as well give this new life of hers a start, eh?

Warnings:

Language, sometimes explicit. Death. Gore. Smut, eventual and sometimes it’ll get real detailed. Fluff, occasionally it’ll be real cheesy. Puns, some of ‘em will be cringe-worthy. Negan being Negan. There may be additional tags for individual chapters, and if there are, I’ll be sure to let y’all know. 

 

Relationships:

Original Male Character (Tim) x Original Female Character (Leigh) x Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Romantic relationship).

Negan x OMC (Tim) x JDM x OFC (Leigh) (Family relationship).

Negan X Original Female Character (Alyss) (Romantic relationship).

 

Author’s Note(s):

This all started because of a dream I had. I was really craving a milkshake from Chick-Fil-A and I’d spent a few hours before bed reading a bunch of Negan fanfics on Tumblr and on AO3. Once I finished typing up the dream to send to my best friend, I decided this was a story I wanted to keep writing, and thus, I started my first Negan fanfic. 

Also, each of the chapter titles are songs, that kind of hint to what each chapter might hold. 

I haven’t quite decided if I’m going to have there be romantic relationship between the OFC and Negan, or if I wanted to keep their relationship as a martial/family one.

With all due respect towards JDM and his actual family, and for all intents and purposes, he’s not married to his actual wife in this story. The story will have some ties to TWD, and during those instances, please keep in mind that I do not own anything related to TWD.

Chapter 2: Playlist for Another One Bites The Dust (AOBTD)

Summary:

Here's the playlist for the titles of each chapter! I will update this playlist as more chapters are added!

Chapter Text

Songs Used As Titles:

1. “My Milkshake (Brings All The Boys)” by Kelis
2. “If I Didn’t Have You” by Thompson Square
3. “On The Road Again” by Willie Nelson
4. “Country Roads, Take Me Home” by John Denver
5. “Firecracker” by Josh Turner
6. “Comin’ Home” by Tim McGraw
7. “Complicated” by Avril Lavigne
8. “Amazed” by Lonestar
9. “I Don’t Want This Night To End” by Luke Bryan
10. “Strip It Down” by Luke Bryan
11. “My Little Girl” by Tim McGraw
12. “Landmine” by Drake
13. “Feel Again” by One Republic
14. “The Dance” by Garth Brooks
15. “What Hurts The Most” by Rascal Flatts
16. “Mercy” by Jacob Banks
17. “Honey, I’m Good” by Andy Grammer
18. “In Case You Didn’t Know” by Brett Young
19. “Bad At Love” by Halsey
20. “Best of Intentions” by Travis Tritt
21. “Leave Her, Johnny” by Assassin’s Creed Sea Shanties
22. “Lost In This Moment” by Big & Rich
23. “Before You Start Your Day” by Twenty One Pilots
24. “Better Than I Used To Be” by Tim McGraw
25. “Younger” by A Great Big World

 

Link to Spotify Playlist: Another One Bites The Dust (AOBTD) Playlist

Chapter 3: Summary, Warnings, Relationships, and Author’s Note.

Notes:

Warning(s): Explicit Langauge. Death. Gore. A Hardcore Love for a Chocolate Milkshake.

Author’s Note: This is the first chapter of Another One Bites The Dust (AOBTD). It’s a bit longer than the next one, but I really hope y’all enjoy it. Feel free to let me know what you think! :)

Chapter Text

I walk into Chick-Fil-A, noticing a little girl of no more than five years of age, playing by herself at a table with two G.I. Joe action figures. Me too, kid. Me fuckin’ too.

I hear heavy arguing coming from the kitchen as I make my way to the counter to place my order. I tap my fingers against the smooth faux granite as I wait. I’m not really frustrated at having to wait. I actually don’t mind it one bit. It’s just nice that I ain’t gotta wait on any customers at the moment. After a few moments, a young lady and a young man walk out from the kitchen.

The swinging door smacks against the wall in response to the lady shoving it roughly. She makes her way to the register.

“Can I help you?” She asks, obviously annoyed.

“I’d like a chocolate milkshake, please.” I say.

She huffs, but rings it up for me before letting me know when I can pay. I wait while my milkshake is made. I don’t know why, but I’ve been craving a chocolate milkshake from Chick-Fil-A for days. Normally, I’d get some nuggets and a medium fry to eat, but I’m not in the mood for those at the moment. I just want my milkshake. The lady goes back to arguing with the man while she makes it.

I can tell she’s clearly pissed off, and the last thing she wants to do is make me a damn milkshake. She even mutters that under her breath, thinking I can’t hear her, but I can. I step outside since it’s going to be a few minutes for my milkshake to be ready. I walk across the almost empty parking lot to the grocery store where I’ve worked for a couple years now.

None of my favorite co-workers are there today, so I don’t bother talking to the others. They’d just piss me off. I hear a commotion outside and see a figure walking, sluggishly through the parking lot. The left side of its body is drooping, and even from looking through the glass windows, I can tell something’s not right. The figure seems to be snapping its jaws and acting like a wild animal.

It takes me a moment to realize what’s wrong. I’d heard on the news over the past few weeks that the dead were coming back to life and walking amongst the living. I didn’t think it’d reach us this quickly, but I guess the apocalypse truly has started. I reach under the register that I normally work at and grab my backpack. I haven’t clocked back in for work yet, since I’m still on my lunch break.

I probably won’t be getting my next paycheck. I guess it don’t really matter anymore since it seems like the world’s gone to complete and utter shit. I make sure everything I had packed in my bag is still there. It is. I sling it over my shoulder and head outside after drawing my knives from their sheaths in my bag. Holding one in my right hand, I make quick work of ending the dead’un’s second life.

He falls to the ground with a sickening thud, but I don’t focus on that ‘cause more dead’uns are making their way towards me. From what I can tell, there’re only four heading my way. I end them too, making sure that I don’t get hurt myself, but also ‘cause no one should have to suffer like this. Living in this world is hard ‘nough as a living, breathing person, but to come back as a dead’un?

That shit’s rough. I wouldn’t wish that on even my worst enemy. I hear the rumbling of a big truck. I turn and look as a monster truck comes down the hill and pulls to a stop beside me. I look at the driver and realize it’s my dad.

“C’mon! Hop in!” He says.

I’m shocked. He’s not being an asshole like he normally is, but that don’t necessarily mean I’m ‘bout to get in the vehicle with him. I hear more footsteps come up from my right side. I turn, knife drawn, ready to end another dead’un’s suffering. I stop when I realize that it’s just the two men I love with everything in me, Jeffrey and Tim. They both look at me with pride and love shining in their eyes.

I know they both love me with everything in ‘em, and I love ‘em too. Jeffrey runs his right hand through his short, dark black hair, ruffling it up, before bringing his hand down to his face and over his salt and pepper beard. Tim scratches the side of his face, just above his ginger beard. His hair’s already messed up, but that’s just his style. He usually goes with the bed head look on a daily basis.

“Damn, doll. You sure do know how to use that knife.” Jeffrey drawls, smirking.

I laugh. “You have no idea, hon.”

Tim chuckles. “That’s my girl.”

I grin at him. They walk over and hug me. It’s good to have ‘em here. I was worried that they wouldn’t be able to show up for my lunch break, but they did. I know that it’s hard to get away from the school sometimes for lunch. Tim’s a science and history teacher at the local high school, and Jeffrey’s the gym teacher. They both coach baseball during the spring, and boys’ wrestling team during the winter.

Although, my lunch break has taken quite an interesting turn, to say the least. My boys both kiss my cheeks. I grin even more. Ok. So, I may not have the most conventional relationship, but I wouldn’t trade what I have with these two goofballs for anything. We’re all three happy with what we’ve got going. In fact, they both proposed to me yesterday, and of course, I said yes.

I couldn’t imagine living my life without either of ‘em. Anyway, I hear my dad hollering for me from the monster truck.

“C’mon! Get in the truck! Now!” He yells.

I sigh and look at my boys, jerking my head in the direction of the truck.

“C’mon. Y’all get in first.” I instruct.

They do. Jeffrey gets in the back while Tim hops up in the passenger seat. I tuck my knife into the sheath attached to the tactical belt holding my cargo pants up. Tossing my bag up to Jeffrey, I blow him a kiss.

“I’ll be right back!” I say, before I take off across the parking lot towards Chick-Fil-A.

“What?” I hear Tim holler after me. “Darlin’?”

“Doll! Get your fuckin’ ass back here! Now!” Jeffrey calls.

“No! I’m going to get my milkshake!” I holler back.

I’ll be damned if a zombie apocalypse is going to keep me from getting my fuckin’ chocolate milkshake. I open the door and see the same thing I saw earlier: the little girl still sitting at the table, playing, and the two employees arguing with each other. However, after a moment, I realize they’re not actually arguing. The man’s already turned and he’s trying to attack the woman.

She turns her head to look at me as I walk closer. Her distracted state allows for the newly turned dead’un to take a huge ass bite out of her neck. I sigh as I draw my knife out, and get prepared to use it. I just wanted a fuckin’ milkshake. That’s all. I make quick work of ending the dead’un and going ahead and putting the girl out of her misery before she too can turn.

Like I said, I wouldn’t wish this new life on my worst enemy. My eyes drift to the little girl after I hear the door to the restaurant open and a few more dead’uns come in. I quickly kill the dead’un before they have a chance to hurt the little girl.

“Hey, sweetheart. What’s your name?” I ask, making my way over to her, and crouching down so we’re at eye level with one another.

She looks up at me. “Angel.”

I smile. “Pretty name. Where are your parents?”

“I think daddy’s in the back with mommy. They’re arguing.”

I sigh. I just killed her parents. Fuck. I sure as shit ain’t gonna fuckin’ leave her alone now. Not in this shit-tastic, fucked up world.

“Angel, can you do me a favor?” I ask, calmly and as sweet as I can manage.

She nods. “Yes, ma’am.”

“Ok. I want you to stay behind me. No matter what. Ok?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

She slides out of the booth. I spot my milkshake sitting on the counter. I make my way over to get it once I make sure that we’re relatively safe for the moment. There’s more milkshake in the blender, and the cup’s half full. I fill it up. I paid for it and I’m gonna get all that I can. I really wanted that damn milkshake. I notice a 12-count nugget, a large fry, and a chicken sandwich sitting on the heat bar.

I snag ‘em up. I glance at Angel. She’s still behind me, waiting for my next step. I hear a gurgling sound and realize that there’s a dead’un trying to crawl in through the drive-thru window. I scoop Angel up under my arm, giving her the milkshake to hold onto. Making sure I’ve got the girl, the food, and my fucking chocolate milkshake, I run out of the restaurant and back into the parking lot.

I groan as I see more dead’uns filling up the empty spaces where cars once parked. I hear the rumble of a truck and look up to see the monster truck heading towards me. It comes to a halt beside me. Jeffrey’s in the front seat now with Tim sitting beside him. My dad’s nowhere to be seen, but I don’t dare dwell on that fact. Angel takes the waffle fries from me and holds onto ‘em with a death grip.

“Get your fuckin’ ass in the fuckin’ truck now, doll.” Jeffrey says, sternly.

I know it seems like he’s being harsh, but he’s not. I can tell he’s worried ‘bout me, and cares deeply for me. He just happens to cuss so much that it’d make a sailor blush.

“I’m glad you’re ok, darlin’.” Tim says, softly, as he reaches back to open the passenger door.

I set the little girl up into the backseat of the truck. She holds onto the fries for dear life. I chuckle as I give the nuggets and my milkshake to Tim. I reach up, grabbing ahold of the door so that I can pull myself up onto the seat. Once the door’s shut, Jeffrey hits the gas, getting us outta the fuckin’ parking lot. Tim turns in his seat, leaning closer to Jeffrey as he looks at me.

He hands me the food and my milkshake. I take the stuff and notice that Angel’s munching on the fries. I smile as I take a sip of my milkshake. It was fuckin’ worth it. I let out a happy sigh, and close my eyes as I swallow the milky concoction.

“What the fuck were you thinkin’?” Jeffrey asks.

I open my eyes. Tim’s still looking at me. I know he’s worried ‘bout me too. I glance over at Jeffrey. He turns his head briefly to look at me before looking back at the road in front of him.

“I told you, I wanted my milkshake.” I say, stating the obvious.

Tim chuckles. Jeffrey huffs. I grin.

“I hope it’s worth it. You scared the fuckin’ shit out of me, doll.” Jeffrey says.

Tim nods. “You did. Scared me too.”

Chapter 4: If I Didn't Have You

Notes:

Warning(s): Brief mention of an extremely minor character’s death. Fluff - Jeffrey and Tim are both cute as shit in this chapter. Cussing - I mean, it is JDM we’re talkin’ ‘bout here. XD

Author’s Note: Hey, y’all. This chapter’s a bit shorter than the last one, but I promise things are gonna start pickin’ up here soon. Feel free to let me know what you think! :) Also, I’ll probably be postin’ updates ‘bout once a week, probably on Mondays or so, it just depends on how much homework for my college courses and whatnot I’ve got to do.

Chapter Text

I lean forward so that I’m between my fiancés. Tim shifts so that he can look at me with the new way that I’m sitting.

“I’m sorry, boys. You know I’d never intentionally scare the shit out of y’all, as Jeffrey so nicely put it. I just wanted my damn milkshake.” I say, innocently.

Tim chuckles. Jeffrey glances down at me.

“Please don’t fuckin’ do it again, doll. We don’t fuckin’ wanna fuckin’ lose you.” He says, quietly.

I place my hand on his shoulder. “I’ll try not to. And, I don’t wanna lose y’all either.”
Jeffrey gives me a small smile as he brings his left hand up, and places it over mine on his shoulder. His fingers curl ‘round my hand and he squeezes gently, silently letting me know that he loves me.

I offer him a sip of my milkshake, and he agrees that it’s good, and that he could see why I wanted to go after it. I laugh before I share it with Tim too.

“So…where’s my dad?” I ask, after a few minutes, noticing that we’ve reached the state line, heading into Tennessee.

“Um…” Jeffrey says, slowly. “About that, sweetheart…”

“Jeff killed him.” Tim says.

“Do what?” I ask.

“Jeff killed him.”

“Why?”

I look at Jeffrey. He has his left hand on the back of his neck now…rubbing at the skin there, just below his hair.

“The things he said he wanted to do to you, doll…I didn’t like it. No man should ever treat a woman that way. It pissed me off that he’d say those things ‘bout any woman, but ‘specially you, his own daughter.” Jeffrey says, softly, after a moment of silence. “Plus…you know I don’t tolerate that shit.”

I’m surprised I didn’t hear him utter a single cuss word. I know how he feels ‘bout that shit. I lean forward even more and press a kiss to his cheek. He releases a deep breath and relaxes.

“Thank you, honey.” I whisper.

He glances at me. “You’re not mad?”

I shake my head. “No. I’m not. I’m glad he’s gone. I ain’t gotta deal with his shit anymore. Plus, you were just protecting me. And, you know that shit turns me on.”

He chuckles. “You’re right. That it does. But…you promise you’re not mad?”

“No, Jeffrey. I’m not mad. I promise. Scout’s honor.”

Tim chuckles. “You and your ‘Scout’s Honor’ stuff.”

I laugh. “Hey. I used to be a Boy Scout.”

“I know, baby. I know.”

I grin as he leans over and kisses my temple. Tim turns in his seat again once I’m settled back in my own properly. He looks between the little girl and I.

“Who’s she?” He asks, softly.

“Her name’s Angel. Her parents worked at Chick-Fil-A. Her dad already turned when I went back in there to get my milkshake and was attacking her mum. I killed ‘em both, although her dad was technically already dead, and I just put her mum out of her misery before she could turn since she was bit. I couldn’t leave Angel there alone with the possibility of some more dead’uns coming by and her getting hurt.” I say.

“So…we got a kid now?”

I grin. “I guess so.”

“I can get behind that fuckin’ idea.” Jeffrey says from the front seat.

Tim and I both laugh. I look at Angel. She lifts her head up from the fries and looks at me.

“We’ll protect you, ok, Angel? These are my fiancés, Tim and Jeffrey. We won’t let anything happen to you.” I assure her.

She smiles. “Promise?”

I nod. “I promise, sweetheart.”

“Ok. What happened to my mommy and daddy?”

I sigh. “They’re gone now. But, they’re in a better place. Ok?”

She nods. “Ok. So…will you be my new mommy?”

I grin. “If you want me to.”

She nods. “I do. Plus, you gave me fries.”

Jeffrey chuckles. “She’s gonna fit in real good with our little family.”

I laugh, but that doesn’t stop the smile that spreads across my face. Tim grins. The three of us had mentioned the possibility of us starting our own family, but that was before the world went to shit. I’m just happy to know that my boys are still ok with us having kids. Angel slides closer to me, and snuggles up to my side. I wrap my arm ‘round her as I finish my milkshake.

Within a few minutes, she’s asleep with her head tucked against my shoulder, and one arm draped over my lap. Tim takes his jacket off and hands it to me so I can cover her up.

Jeffrey keeps on driving as we all jam out to AC/DC, Iron Maiden, and Metallica.

Chapter 5: On The Road Again

Notes:

Warning(s): Explicit language. Mentions of troubled childhoods. Mentions of drug use. Fluff - Tim and Jeffrey are total sweethearts.

Author’s Note(s): This chapter is also fairly short, but don’t worry. I promise it’s gonna pick up soon.

Chapter Text

“C’mon, doll. Why don’t you sit fuckin’ sit up fuckin’ front with us?”

I smile. “I guess I could fuckin’ do that.”

Jeff smirks. I hear Tim let out a chuckle. I wrap one arm around both of my men. I feel their arms ‘round me as they hold me close and between both of ‘em. I tilt my head back to look up at both of ‘em. With me being only 5 foot and 3.5 inches, I’m relatively small compared to them. Tim’s the tallest outta the three of us, with him being 6 foot 3, and Jeffrey’s right behind him at 6 foot 2.

I don’t mind the height difference. In fact, I love it. I feel safer when I’m wrapped up in the embrace of either one of ‘em or both of ‘em. I can just rest my head against their chests, and hear the beating of their hearts. It’s quite calming, to tell the truth. Tim looks down at me and smiles, sweetly. He’s the softer of the two, what with him being soft spoken, gentle and whatnot.

He’s really just a giant teddy bear. He’s the youngest, and comes from a sweet, loving family. Never really had to want for anything, but he wasn’t well off. He just got lucky, but he stayed humble. He really is just a sweetheart. Jeffrey on the other hand…well, he can be quite crass and off-putting at times, but I know that’s just ‘cause of the way he was raised.

He and I come from similar backgrounds. Both of our mum’s were drug addicts, in and out of jail throughout our childhoods. We both had to raise our younger siblings since we were the oldest. I raised my seven siblings, two brothers and five sisters. Whereas he only has one brother, a twin. I haven’t had the chance to meet him yet; we were gonna take a family trip to Jeffrey’s brother’s house over Christmas break since we’d all have the time off from work.

I guess that’s not going to happen now.

“Doll?”

I turn my head, getting outta my thoughts, and look at Jeffrey.

“Hmmm?” I mumble.

“You ok?” He asks.

I nod. “I am, hon. I was just thinkin’.”

“‘Bout what?”

“Our childhoods.”

Jeffrey sighs. “Babydoll, you don’t need to dwell on that. Ok?”

I sigh. “I know. You know I can’t help it sometimes.”

Jeffrey tightens his arm ‘round me. “I know, baby. I know.”

I step up on my toes so I can give him a quick kiss. I turn to Tim and do the same. We all hop back into the truck. We’d stopped to fill up the gas tank, as well as a couple of empty gas cans we found in the bed. Tim gets behind the wheel, and Jeffrey is in the passenger seat. I’m nestled between the two of ‘em. As Tim cranks the engine, and starts to drive, I look into the backseat.

Angel’s still sound asleep, curled up under Tim’s jacket with Jeffrey’s under her head as a makeshift pillow. Once I know she’s ok, I turn ‘round, and lay my head on Jeffrey’s shoulder. He wraps his left arm ‘round me as I snuggle up next to him. I feel a hand on my left thigh, and realize that Tim’s got his right hand resting there as he drives with his left hand on the wheel.

“Get some sleep, darlin’. We’ll wake you up when we stop again.” He says. “We’re just now in Virginia, so it might be a little while before we finally stop.”

I nod my head against Jeffrey’s shoulder. “Ok. I love you guys.”

“I love you too, darlin’.”

“Ditto, doll. I fuckin’ love you too.” Jeffrey murmurs, softly.

I giggle as I close my eyes as I relax, tucked safely between the two loves of my life. Just before I drift off to sleep, I feel a soft kiss against the top of my head, making me grin.

Chapter 6: Country Roads, Take Me Home

Notes:

Warning(s): Explicit language. Fluff. Angst. Slight violence. Slight daddy kink - sorry, not sorry; I blame JDM. Leigh being a fuckin’ badass and protecting her family. Family reunion of sorts. 

Author’s Note(s): This chapter is still a bit of filler, but trust me. The good stuff’s coming. :) We may or may not see the Boss Man by the end of this. ;) 

Chapter Text

“Hey, sweetheart. C’mon. It’s time to wake up.”

I groan in protest. I don’t wanna wake up yet. I open my eyes and lift my arms up above my head. Thankfully, ‘cause I’m so short, my hands don’t reach the ceiling, which would stop my stretching. My shirt rides up my tummy. That’s when I realize I still have my fuckin’ work shirt on. I sigh as I remove it, leaving me in a low cut tank top. I hear Tim suck in a deep breath. I wait for Jeffrey to make some comment. When he doesn’t, I look over at him. I realize that he’s sound asleep, with his head leaning against the window. He looks really fuckin’ adorable when he’s sleeping.

He looks happy. I take a moment to look over his features before I look at Tim. He looks like he’s ‘bout to fall asleep, but he’s got a smirk tugging at his lips.

“You sure are beautiful, darlin’.” He murmurs.

I giggle. “You’re not so bad lookin’ yourself, honey.”

He chuckles before leaning in for a kiss. Once it’s over, I reach for my bag in the backseat, and grab one of Tim’s t-shirts I had packed in there before work. I slip it on over my head and shove my arms through the sleeves. Tim reaches up and runs his hand through my hair, ruffling it. 

I grin.

“You’re adorable.” He says.

“You’re a goofball.” I tease.

He chuckles. “But, I’m your goofball.”

“That you are. And, I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

He grins. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

“I love you too, doll.”

I laugh as I hear Jeffrey’s mumble. I look over at him. He’s still got his eyes closed, but a grin’s making its way across his face. He cracks one eye open slightly and peers at me.

“You know I love you too, Jeffrey. Even when you snore louder than a Mack truck barreling down a highway at 70 miles an hours.” I tease.

He scoffs and pretends to be hurt. “I do not fuckin’ sound like that.”

Tim laughs a deep belly laugh. “Yea, the fuck you do. It’s hard to concentrate on driving when all I hear is your loud ass snores.”

I grin. Jeffrey has both eyes open now, as he stretches. He playfully glares at Tim.

“Fuck off.” He says.

“Nope. Leigh wants me here. And, besides, you know I’m just teasin’. I love you, Jeff.” Tim says, grinning.

Jeffrey smiles. “Love you too, asshole.”

I laugh. These two are adorable. I know they love each other as much as they love me. It’s just the kind of relationship we have with one another. Besides, I know they’ve been intimate together, regardless of if I was there or not.

“Alright. Calm down, you two.” I tease.

They both laugh. “We are calm.”

I laugh harder. I love it when they say things together. The combination of their voices just does things to me. Tim’s voice is sweeter than honey and slower than molasses. Jeffrey’s voice is deeper and more gravelly. It’s just a good combination. I kiss both of their cheeks before leaning back in the seat. I glance back at Angel, and see that she’s still sleeping.

I look at Tim. “She been asleep this whole time?”

He nods. “Yea. She hasn’t really moved. For a bit there, I panicked ‘cause I wasn’t sure she was still breathin’, but then she moved and curled up under my jacket even more.”

I smile. “I’m glad she’s sleeping. It’s less that she has to witness in this fucked up world.”

“You’re fuckin’ right ‘bout that, baby.” Jeffrey says.

“Mmhhmm.”

“Well…since the two of y’all have both gotten some sleep, how ‘bout one of y’all drive now? I’m exhausted and wouldn’t mind catching some z’s of my own.” Tim says.

I chuckle. “Ok. You do that. I’ll drive.”

Tim smiles. We all get outta the truck to stretch our legs for a moment. When we get back in, I slide in behind the wheel, with Jeffrey beside me, and Tim beside him. I start the truck and start to drive. Tim’s asleep within a few moments, with his head resting on Jeffrey’s shoulder. I look up at Jeffrey.

“Where the fuck are we goin’?” I ask.

He chuckles. “We still in Virginia?”

I nod. “I guess so. I ain’t seen a sign that’s said otherwise.”

He laughs. “Alright, smartass. Just keep on the interstate.”

I roll my eyes. “Yes, sir.”

I glance up at him. His eyes get darker and he takes a deep breath in.

“Doll.” He states.

“Hmm? Yes, daddy?” I ask, innocently.

“Don’t tease me.”

I giggle. “But it’s so fun. I love your reactions when I do.”

He smirks. “I know you do.”

He tells me what exit to get off at. When I see it, after a few hours of driving, I pull off and wait for further instructions. Eventually, I pull up in front of a house in a little subdivision. I look at Jeffrey, eyebrow raised. Does he have a life I don’t know ‘bout?

“Don’t look at me like that, baby girl. It’s my brother’s house.” He says.

I nod. “Ok.”

“C’mon. Let’s get out. I wanna see if he’s still here.”

I go to wake Tim up, but Jeffrey stops me.

“Let him sleep. We both know he ain’t been sleepin’ too well.” He says.

I nod and get outta the truck. I keep one hand hovering over my knife in case I need to use it for some reason. I notice that Jeffrey now has a .357 magnum revolver in his right hand. It’s not his usual .9 mm he carries on him all the time, or leaves tucked in the glovebox when he’s working at the school.

I look at him. “Where’d you get that?”

He glances at the weapon, then back at me, smirking. “She’s a beauty, ain’t she? I got her at that last gas station we stopped at. A dead’un tried to come after Tim, and I found this laying on the ground by an abandoned car. I used it to shoot the dead’un before it could hurt our boy.”

I smile. “Thanks, babe.”

He smiles. “You ain’t gotta fuckin’ thank me, sweetheart. I’d hate to fuckin’ lose him as much as you would.”

I chuckle. “I know.”

I follow Jeffrey as he heads up the walkway to the front porch. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out his keys. He unlocks the door. I follow him inside. We scout out the house, and don’t find anything. We both stop when we hear truck doors slamming outside, and a bit of a scuffle. I rush downstairs. I have to make sure that Tim and Angel are ok. I don’t want anything to happen to ‘em. I stop as soon as I reach the open doorway. The sight before me makes my heart stop and drop to the bottom of my stomach. Tim’s on his knees, with a gun pointed at the back of his head.

Angel’s huddled next to him, clinging to his arm. There’s a tall man standing in front of my fiancé and I guess you could say my adopted child. The man is dressed in a pair of dark jeans, combat boots, and a leather jacket. There’s a something ‘bout him that seems familiar.

“Doll, what the fuck? Don’t go running off like – Oh shit.” I hear Jeffrey say from behind me.

“I gotta save Tim.” I mumble. “And Angel.”

I run down from the doorway, drawing my knife in the process. The man in leather still has his back to me. I sneak up behind him, and hold the knife against his side. I’d have gone for his throat, but I’m short. The man freezes once he feels my knife dig into his side.

“Don’t you fuckin’ move, asshole.” I say.

The man says nothing for a few moments before letting out a deep chuckle. It sounds familiar, like I’ve heard it before. I don’t dwell on that. I peek around his side and look at Tim. His eyes are full of worry as he shakes his head. The guy holding the gun to his head pulls the hammer back, effectively cocking it. The man in front of me slowly turns ‘round to face me. I suck in a deep breath as soon as I notice the barbed wire wrapped Louisville Slugger clutched tightly in his left hand. He brings his right hand up to my face.

I try not to flinch and dig the knife deeper into his side.

“Don’t you fuckin’ touch her!” I hear Jeffrey call out behind me.

The man in front of me’s face shifts as his eyes dart from me to Jeffrey. He sucks a deep breath in between his teeth before his tongue comes out and glides over his bottom lip.

“Jeffrey?” He asks, quietly.

Chapter 7: Firecracker

Notes:

Warning(s): Explicit Language. Angst. Slight violence. Leigh being a fuckin’ badass and protecting her family. Family reunion of sorts. Negan’s finally the one on his knees, and not in the way you might expect. Slight fluff.

Author’s Note(s): It’s time! He’s here! The Boss Man has finally shown up!

Chapter Text

I look from the man in front of me to my fiancé as he comes storming up to me. He slaps the leather-clad man across the face.

“I said don’t you fuckin’ touch her, asshole.” Jeffrey seethes.

The bat-wielding asshole drops his hand from my cheek. He looks at Jeffrey, holding his hands up in surrender, letting the bat fall to the ground by his feet.

“Jeff.” He says.

Jeffrey’s brow furrows. Within two seconds, his face softens, and I see a couple of tears well up in his eyes.

“Neegs?” My lover asks, quietly.

The man in front of me nods. “It’s me.”

Jeffrey wraps his arms ‘round the man and holds him close. The other man slowly hugs him back. I can see Jeffrey’s shoulders shake. I lower my knife and tuck it back into its sheath on my hip. After a few moments, the pair pulls apart. Jeffrey moves his hand up and places it on a leather-covered shoulder.

“I thought I’d lost you.” He says, quietly.

“You know it takes a lot to kill me.” The other man says.

“Jeff?” I ask, confused.

He looks at me. His face softens even more.

“Babydoll…I want you to meet someone.” He says, softly.

I raise an eyebrow. “Who?”

“My brother.”

I cough in shock. “Do what?”

Jeff lets out a quiet chuckle. “My brother. I want you to meet him. It’s ‘bout time.”

The other man turns to face me. That’s when I realize why he seems so familiar. He looks identical to Jeffrey. His hair’s just slicked back, whereas Jeffrey’s has more of a messy look to it. And, his beard is a smidge longer than my lover’s and has a hint more of salt-and-pepper sprinkled throughout it. He holds his right hand out to me. I glare at it before glaring at the man.

“Sweetheart.” Jeffrey says, slowly.

“No. Not until he gets that gun away from Tim’s head and I know that he and Angel are safe.” I say, sternly.

Jeffrey’s brother turns ‘round immediately and looks at the man holding the gun to Tim’s head.

“Put the fuckin’ gun away, you asshat.” He commands with a wave of his hand. “And the rest of y’all get the fuck out of here. Now!”

The man lowers the gun and steps back. The rest of the men hop in the trucks and leave, following his commands. Tim stands up, slowly, seemingly unsure of what the fuck’s going on. Angel stands up beside him and hides behind his legs.

“C’mon over here.” Jeffrey’s brother says in a much softer tone than what he used with his men.

Tim and Angel walk over to us. I wrap my arms ‘round Tim and hug him. He holds me close. Once I pull away from him after a few moments, I pick Angel up and hold her in my arms. She tucks her face against the side of my neck and starts crying. I rub her back, trying to soothe her. I look at Jeffrey and his brother. The other man seems almost sad.

“Doll?” Jeffrey asks, quietly.

I look up at him as he walks over to me. He wraps one arm ‘round me. He places one hand on Angel’s back. Tim wraps one arm ‘round me as well. My little family is safe now.

“Jeff?” The other man asks.

I jerk my head up and glare at him as he takes a step forward. He stops and takes a step back, holding his hands up in surrender.

“You fuckin’ asshole.” I hiss.

“Honey, his name’s Negan. He’s my brother.” I hear Jeffrey say softly.

I turn and glare at him too. “I don’t give a shit. I could fuckin’ give two shits if he was the fuckin’ President of the United States of America. Or if he was Jackie Robinson. He was going to kill Tim and maybe Angel.”

Jeffrey holds his hands up too. “He’s not like that. He’d never hurt a child.”

I huff. “Bullshit. So, it’d be ok if he let Angel live, but still killed Tim?”

“Fuck no. It wouldn’t be ok. I love the both of y’all. Y’all are my family. I wouldn’t let anything happen to either of y’all.”

“Ma’am. I’d never hurt a kid. I might be an asshole, but I’m not a monster.” I hear Negan say.

I turn to him. “Shut the fuck up. I’m fuckin’ pissed off at you. You had one of my fiancés at fuckin’ gunpoint. Were you really goin’ to fuckin’ kill him, asshole?”

Negan shakes his head. “Not necessarily. I just wanted to put fear into him. I pull up to my house, see a truck out front, the door wide ass fuckin’ open, and I had to figure out what the fuck was going on.”

I hand Angel to Tim. He takes her, even as she reaches for me. I march up to Negan. I stand in front of him. I have to tilt my head back. I ain’t gonna be taken seriously if I have to literally look up at him.

“Kneel on the fuckin’ ground, asshole.” I demand.

He complies and kneels in front of me. Now, we’re at eye level. I slap him, still fuckin’ pissed off. His head jerks to the side. He hangs his head.

“Look at me.” I state.

He lifts his head. “Yes, ma’am.”

“I get that you’re Jeffrey’s brother, and while I’ve been lookin’ forward to meetin’ you, I don’t fuckin’ appreciate you holdin’ a gun to Tim’s head and scarin’ the fuckin’ shit out of a little girl. I’m still pissed off at you. You are a motherfuckin’ asshole. But, you’re family. You’re Jeffrey’s brother, which means that you’re my brother. But, so fuckin’ help me, if you ever pull any of this shit on any of us again, I will fuckin’ end you. Do you understand?”

He nods. “Yes, ma’am.”

“Good. Now stand the fuck up and take off your jacket.”

He does. The jacket dangles off the fingers of his left hand. I notice that his white t-shirt is covered in blood on his right side. I lift his shirt up.

“Um…doll?” Jeffrey asks from behind me. “What the fuck are you doin’?”

I ignore his questions and look at Negan’s side. I realize that my knife went in a little deeper than I thought. I let his shirt fall back into place as I go over to the truck to grab my pack. I get my emergency first aid kit out and go back to Negan. I patch up his side after cleaning the excess dried blood off his torso. He slides the jacket back on and looks at me.

“You’re a badass little firecracker.” He says.

“I might be tiny, but I can fuckin’ defend myself and those I love when I have to. Don’t let my height fool you.” I say.

He chuckles. “I can tell. Remind me not to you off again.”

“Let’s pray that you never do. It won’t end well for you.”

He nods. I look back at my little family. Tim’s still holding Angel in his arms, and she’s looking at me. She’s managed to stop crying. Jeffrey’s standing beside Tim, with his right arm curled ‘round Tim’s shoulders. I smile at my little family. I step away from Negan and walk over to them. Angel reaches for me and I gladly take her in my arms. Negan steps closer to us after glancing at me and getting my permission.

“So…this is your family, Jeff?” He asks.

Jeffrey chuckles. “Damn fuckin’ straight it is. This is Tim, Angel, and well, you’ve met Leigh.”

Negan nods. “Indeed I have. Holy shit. She’s feisty.”

She’s standing right fuckin’ here.” I say.

The men all chuckle. Negan looks down at me.

“I’m well aware of that, sweetheart.” He says.

I step closer to him. “Let’s get one fuckin’ thing straight right fuckin’ now. I’m not your fuckin’ “sweetheart”. Got it? The only two people allowed to call me that would be Tim and Jeffrey, and that’s because they’re my fiancés.”

“Yes, ma’am. What can I call you then?”

“Not any romantic pet names. That’s for damn sure.”

He smirks. “But…I can give you a pet name?”

I glare. “Maybe. I have to get to know you better.”

“Fair ‘nough.”

Jeffrey chuckles. “God, doll. I love the fuckin’ shit outta you.”

I grin as I look at him. “I love you too, hon.”

I look at Tim and step over to him. He wraps his arms ‘round me and I gaze into his eyes. I bring one hand up and cup his cheek. He looks proud, yet still hesitant ‘round Negan.

“You ok, babe?” I ask.

He nods. “I’m ok if you’re ok.”

I smile. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

He lowers his head and gently kisses me.

Chapter 8: Comin' Home

Notes:

Warning(s): Explicit Language - I mean, c’mon, we’re talkin’ ‘bout Negan and JDM here. Negan and JDM Fluff. Slight angst. Lucille not wrapped in barbed wire - why is this? Negan interacting with a little kid. Ultimatum for Negan from a little kid.

Author’s Note(s): This chapter is kinda just filler, but also shows another side to Negan that most people don’t get to see on a daily basis. Plus, we get to see much Negan is willing to do for a little kid. Also, I’m thinkin’ ‘bout uploading the next chapter of this story tonight, ‘cause I’m goin’ out of town for the next three (3) weeks and won’t necessarily have access to the internet on my laptop, but I do always have data on my phone, so I’ll still be ‘round. :)

Chapter Text

I curl up in the backseat of the truck with Jeffrey and Tim on either side of me. Angel is sittin’ up front with Negan as he drives. Since he sent all his men away earlier, he didn’t have a ride. He told us ‘bout how he has this compound, where he’s obviously the leader. He promises us it’s as safe as safe can be in the world we now live in. He’s been there for a couple months now. The dead’uns seemed to have hit this area first, so they’ve been dealing with it a lot longer than we have been. Negan promised us that we were more than welcome to come to his compound, which he calls The Sanctuary.

He wouldn’t let anything happen to us. We agreed to go with him, but I made sure that he knew I’d end him if he tried to hurt us. He assured me that he wouldn’t think ‘bout doing that. He’d seen me pissed off, and he didn’t want to take that chance again. Plus, he said we were family. He wouldn’t do anything that would chance him losing us or his brother. Tim has his head on my shoulder, and I have mine on Jeffrey’s. Jeffrey rests his head against the top of mine, weaving his fingers with mine. Tim has my other hand tucked into his.

I hear Angel talkin’ Negan’s ear off ‘bout G.I. Joe action figures and baseball. She might be really young, but she’s smart. I’ve learned that much in the short amount of time that I’ve known her. She finally opened up to Negan after he let her hold his baseball bat. I was hesitant at first considering that the top end of the bat is covered in barbed wire. Negan took the wire off before he gave it to her. Within the hour, Negan’s pulling truck up to a gate. I look through the front windshield and take a deep breath in at the sight before me. 

There’s a big factory, with men and women bustling ‘round, trying to get different things done. Attached to the fence surrounding the factory are a bunch of dead’uns. They’re stuck to the fence with spikes going through ‘em, or chains wrapped ‘round their decomposing bodies.

“Holy fuckin’ shit.” Jeffrey mutters beside me.

Tim and I both agree with him. This is the first time we’ve seen this many people since we left North Carolina. I think that was a couple days ago, and even then, there weren’t that many people ‘round.

“Well…guys…welcome home.” Negan says before leaning out the window. “Open the fuckin’ gate, you fuckers. Let me the fuck in.”

A couple of men scramble to pull the gate open. Once the entry’s wide ‘nough, Negan drives through. As soon as he’s through, the gate’s being closed again. Negan parks the vehicle and turns it off. He looks at Angel.

“Angel, may I have Lucille back?” He ask, softly.

She nods, handing the bat over. Negan quickly, and carefully, wraps the barbed wire ‘round it once more.

“C’mon, guys. Follow me, and I’ll show you ‘round the place.” He says, glancing back at the three of us, before hopping outta the truck.

We all clamber out and make our way over to Negan. He’s got Lucille resting against his left shoulder as he stands there, waiting for us. Angel walks beside me, reaching up to take a hold of my hand. As soon as we’re all standing beside Negan, I notice that everyone that was running ‘round is now kneeling. I look up at Negan. He’s got a smirk plastered on his nice.

“Pretty cool, eh?” He asks. “They respect me.”

I want to roll my eyes at his cockiness, but something tells I shouldn’t do that. At least, not in front of others. I look up at Jeffrey. He looks conflicted. He gazes down at me, and his eyes soften. He takes a hold of my hand and squeezes it gently twice. It’s his unspoken way of telling me that he loves me. I squeeze his hand back in response. His lips curl up in a small smile.

“As you were!” Negan calls.

Immediately, everyone stands back up and gets back to doing what they were before Negan appeared. He turns to us, his face falling slightly.

“Jeff? Brother, you ok?” He asks.

Jeffrey nods. “We’ll talk ‘bout this later.”

“You’re not proud of me, are you?”

“Neegs, I’ll always fuckin’ be proud of you. You’re my little brother, my twin brother, for fucks sake. This is just a different fuckin’ side of you.”

Negan’s face falls again, but only for a split second. I realize why as another man walks up to him. He gets that cocky smirk back on his face, and leans back slightly. I’m starting to realize that it’s a signature move of his.

“Simon! My fuckin’ man!” Negan says, seemingly excited, but I can tell it’s fake.

Something’s bothering him, and I think it has to do with Jeffrey’s reaction to seeing all the people kneel before his younger brother. Negan claps a leather-clad hand on Simon’s shoulder.

“Boss, there’s something up with the girls.” Simon says, his face void of emotion.

Negan sighs. “Fuck. What in the fuckin’ fuckity fuck is wrong now?”

“They’re upset that you didn’t come back with the rest of the Saviors earlier, and that there wasn’t anything for them in the stuff we brought back.”

“God-fuckin’-dammit. Thanks for fuckin’ letting me know what the fuck I’m about to fuckin’ walk into. I’ll fuckin’ deal with them fuckin’ later. I’ve got some shit I’ve got to fuckin’ tend to.”

Simon nods before walking away.

“Nehen.” Angel says.

I’ve noticed that she’s had trouble saying his name properly since we met him and she started talking to him. I mean, she is only five. Negan looks down at her, kneeling before her, his entire demeanor changing.

“Yes, sweetheart?” He asks, softly.

“Why you say so many bad words?” Angel asks. “Mommy says it’s not nice to say those words.”

Negan chuckles as his eyes drift up to me, questioning.

“I’m not her actual mum, Negan. She died. But, I couldn’t leave the little girl out there alone.” I say, before he can say anything.

He nods before looking back at Angel. “Adults can say those words, sweetie. But, if you want, I can try to not say them around you?”

Angel looks deep in thought before she nods. “You’d do that?”

Negan smiles. “I’d do anything for you, sweetheart.”

She grins and flings her arms ‘round his neck. I can tell it catches him off guard ‘cause he looks frozen for a moment. He responds by wrapping his arms ‘round the little girl. She pulls back and looks at Negan.

“Can I have a ‘Ucille?” She asks.

Negan’s brow furrows. Jeffrey sucks a deep breath in. I know a little bit ‘bout Lucille, but not a whole lot. I just know that she’s Negan’s wife.

“You want one just like her?” Negan asks.

Angel nods. “Yes, please!”

Negan gives her a small smile. “Let me see what I can do, ok small fry?”

She grins. “Ok, Nehan!”

He chuckles and rises to his feet. He unclips a radio from his belt and brings it close to his mouth.

“Simon!” He says through the radio.

A moment goes by before Simon comes back with a “Yes, boss?”

“Do me a favor and see if we have any baseball bats in our supply.”

“Ok, boss. I’ll go check.”

“If so, bring it to my office as soon as you find it.”

“Will do.”

Negan clips the radio back on his belt. He instructs us to follow him. The four of us do. Angel asks Tim to carry her, so he does. Negan gives us an extensive tour of what he calls The Sanctuary.

Chapter 9: Complicated

Notes:

Warnings: Explicit language. Mentions of panic attacks, PTSD, and implied childhood trauma and abuse. Angst. Slight fluff from Tim, Jeffrey, Negan, and even Leigh.

Chapter Text

“What the actual ever loving fuck do you mean you fuckin’ have three fuckin’ wives, Negan?” Jeffrey yells at his younger brother.

I flinch and nestle up to Tim. He wraps his arms ‘round me and holds me close as I start to shake. I know Jeffrey’s not yelling at me, but I’ve never heard him yell like this. It scares the shit outta me, to be honest. It reminds me too much of my childhood.

Whenever I heard someone yelling like this, I knew I was ‘bout to get my ass beat. It was almost always by my father. My breathing gets really shallow and fast. Tim runs his fingers through my hair, trying to calm me down. He ain’t seen me like this in years.

“Jeff. Calm the fuck down. Now.” Tim demands.

Jeffrey turns from his brother to face Tim and I. His face softens as soon as he sees me curled up in Tim’s lap, trembling. He walks over to the couch where Tim and I are situated. He sits down beside Tim and looks at me. He reaches his hand up to cup my cheek.

I flinch even more as I close my eyes and tuck my face against Tim’s neck. I hear Jeffrey let out a deep sigh.

“Shit. I’m so sorry, sweetheart. I forgot what yellin’ does to you. I just got really pissed off at Negan. You know I’d never hurt you.” He murmurs.

I don’t say anything. I don’t trust myself to speak right now. If I attempt to, I’ll probably start crying, and I can’t have that. Tim tightens his arms ‘round me even more.

“It’s ok, baby. It’s ok. You’re ok. No one’s gonna hurt you.” He murmurs.

I nod my head against him.

“Leigh? Honey? Will you look at me?” Jeffrey pleads.

I lift my head up and look at him. His eyes are filled with regret.

“I’m sorry, baby girl. I’m so fuckin’ sorry. I won’t yell at Negan anymore.” He says, quietly.

I nod but still don’t say a word. He holds his hands out towards me, and it takes everything in me not to flinch. I know Jeffrey would never hurt me. But, it’s hard not to flinch when I get in a state like this. My PTSD and anxiety make it so that I shut down when I’m put into a situation like this.

“Baby. Can I hold you?” Jeffrey asks, quietly.

I nod. Tim’s embrace loosens from ‘round me and Jeffrey slowly pulls me over into his lap. He wraps his arms ‘round me slowly and he just holds me. He kisses my temple.

“I’m so fuckin’ sorry, Leigh baby.” He murmurs. “Please forgive me.”

I nod. He hugs me tighter.

“Breathe, baby. Breathe. It’s ok.” He soothes.

I eventually get my breathing back down to a normal rate. My anxiety slowly starts to ease. Jeffrey places two fingers under my chin and tilts my head back.

“You ok?” He asks.

I nod. He sighs before gently pressing his lips to my cheek. He holds me for a few more moments. Eventually, I get out of his arms and sit back in Tim’s lap. He wraps his arms ‘round me. Jeffrey still sits beside us, but looks at Negan.

“Why the fuck do you have three wives when you have Lucille?” Jeffrey asks his brother, in a calmer manner.

Negan’s face falls. “Not anymore.”

“What do you mean ‘not anymore’? What the fuck happened?”

Negan hangs his head. “Lucille got cancer a year and a half ago. She died almost eight months ago. Just before the outbreak happened.”

Jeffrey sucks in a deep breath. I remember him mentioning that Lucille was the love of his brother’s life. I never knew she had cancer, though. I’m sure losing her really took it’s toll on Negan. I couldn’t imagine losing either Jeffrey or Tim. I’d be fuckin’ devastated.

I get up out of Tim’s lap and walk over to Negan. I may not like the way he treated us when we first met him, but he’s still family. He looks at me, warily, the closer I get to him.

“What are you doin’?” He asks, quietly.

“Shut up and stand up, Negan.” I say.

He nods his head as he stands up. I wrap my arms ‘round him. He’s shocked by my actions, but recovers quickly. He wraps his arms ‘round me. I just hug him. His body starts to shake after a few moments. I know he’s mourning his late wife.

I just rest my head against his chest and tighten my arms ‘round him. I don’t think he’s been able to properly grieve the loss of Lucille. I just hold onto him as he cries. No one says anything for a while. Eventually, Negan pulls away, and looks down at me.

His eyes are red and still filled with tears. His nose is red too.

“Thank you.” He whispers.

I nod. “You don’t have to thank me, Negan. I can’t imagine the pain you went through losing her. I couldn’t imagine losing those two goofballs over there. And, besides, you’re essentially my brother-in-law, so that makes us family. I’m gonna be there for you. Ok?”

He nods. “Thank you, Half Pint.”

I giggle. “That’s the nickname you have for me now?”

He chuckles. “You cool with that?”

I nod. “It’s better than what you tried to call me earlier. I shut that shit down real quick.”

He laughs. “That you did.”

I pull away from him, slightly. “You good now?”

He nods. “Yes, ma’am. I don’t know how you do it, but you made me cry and then made me laugh.”

“All I did was hug you.”

He shakes his head. “No, Half Pint. You showed me what it’s like to have someone care for me again. I ain’t had that since before Lucy died. I mean, yeah, I’ve still got my brother ‘round, but I ain’t seen him in almost two years. And, my wives don’t care for me. I ain’t had anyone hug me, with the exception of little Angel earlier, since the day Lucy passed away. You showed me what it’s like to have someone be there for me. In spite of what I did earlier, you still decided to hug me. That means a lot.”

I lower my head. I don’t know what to say to that.

“Leigh.” Negan says, softly.

I lift my head to look back up at him.

“Those two men over there are extremely lucky to have you as their girl. And, I’m lucky that you’re part of the family.” He says, softly. “I’m glad I finally got the chance to meet you, even if it wasn’t how we originally planned. You’re still a kind soul. And, my brother would never shut up about you.”

I grin. “I’m glad I got to meet you too, Negan.”

He pulls me in for another hug. After it’s over, he sits back down in his leather chair, and I make my way back over to my boys. Tim leans forward, wraps his arms ‘round my waist, and pulls me into his lap.

“Shit, bro. I’m so fuckin’ sorry. Why didn’t you ever tell me?” Jeffrey asks, quietly.

“I didn’t want you to be disappointed in me or hate me. I’m not a good man. I wasn’t a good husband. I cheated on her, Jeff, for a couple weeks. I broke it off with the other woman as soon as I found out Luc had cancer, but it was too late. The damage was already done. I’d hurt her, and I can never forgive myself. After the dead started walkin’ again, I swore to myself that I’d never fall in love again. I don’t love my wives now. It’s more of a business arrangement. I get to fuck ‘em whenever I want, and they get to sit ‘round all day, not want for anything, and be protected. I can never make amends for what I did to Lucille, and I know that.” Negan explains.

Jeffrey shakes his head. “First off, Neegs, I could never hate you. You’re my baby brother, even if we’re twins, you’re still the baby. I might be disappointed in you, but I could never hate you. You know what you did was wrong, and I can tell you’ve already beat yourself up for it ‘nough as is. You don’t need me to add to that. And, quite frankly, I can’t exactly say shit ‘bout you being with more than one person. Hell, I’ve got two fiancés for Christ’s sake.”

That has Negan laughing. “You’re right ‘bout that.”

Jeff chuckles. “Exactly. Besides, I love you, brother. Even when you’re a complete and total asshole, I still love you. I always will.”

“I love you too, Jeff. In a brotherly way, of course.”

I crack up laughing. This has all the men in the room smiling.

“So…y’all aren’t technically married?” Negan asks, pointing to the three of us.

I shake my head. “Not technically. The boys proposed to me the day before the outbreak hit us back home. But, I guess in this world, technicalities don’t really matter anymore, do they? I see these two goofballs as my husbands.”

Tim tightens his arms ‘round me and Jeffrey places a hand on my knee.

“And she’s our wife.” Tim says.

Jeffrey nods. “And, I guess that makes Tim and I husbands too.”

I giggle. “It does.”

Negan laughs. “To be honest, Jeff. I never thought you’d get yourself a husband.”

Jeffrey chuckles. “Yea. Well, I love the shit outta Leigh here, and I’ve come to love Tim too. They’re a package deal, and I’m more than happy to be a part of that.”

Chapter 10: Amazed

Notes:

Warning(s): Negan’s a total sweetheart.

Author’s Note(s): This is a really short chapter, but don’t worry. The next one will be longer, and there is smut coming, so be prepared for that! :)

Chapter Text

It’s been a month and a half since I met Negan for the first time, and he brought us to the Sanctuary. In that time, my family and I have adjusted quite well. Negan explained how he runs things here. He runs the place with an iron fist, but his people respect him.

Most people know better than to try to cross him. There was one instance where one man ended up sleeping with one of Negan’s wives. Needless to say, that didn’t sit well with Negan. He ended up takin’ an iron to the man’s face. I can’t say I blame him.

The man knew the rules, and he fucked up. The rules are in place for a reason. Other than that, there hasn’t really been any issues in our new home. Tim, Jeffrey, and I are all Negan’s top three Saviors. He was hesitant to let us go out on runs, simply ‘cause he didn’t want to take the chance of losing one of us.

He tried to tell us that we could just stay there, and not have to worry ‘bout anything. We were his family. But, I refused to just sit ‘round and do nothing all day while others were busting their asses every single day. After I finally showed Negan how good I was with a bow and arrow, an assortment of guns, and even several different blades, Negan agreed to let me be one of his Saviors.

But, there were conditions. I’d only go out on runs with him. And, Jeffrey and Tim were both allowed to come too. Negan knew how good Jeffrey was with a wide variety of weapons, and he quickly found out how good Tim was too. So, we all settled into a routine of things in this new world.

Negan valued all of our opinions, ‘specially Jeffrey’s, since they were brothers. No one else in the Sanctuary really knew what the relationship was between the four of us, but they didn’t dare question Negan. The only one who knew of the relationship between us was Simon.

Turns out that he’s Negan’s right-hand man. Aside from Jeffrey, of course. The closer I got to Negan, the more we became friends. He started to become like a true older brother to me. Whenever things got too be too much for him on some days, he’d come find me and we’d just talk or hang out.

I realized I was the closest thing he had to a friend. Some days, we wouldn’t talk and I was ok with that. We’d just drink some scotch and play rummy. I had to teach him how to play, but he caught on quite quickly. It was a lot of fun. One day, while we’re playing cards, he looks at me.

“Leigh. Will you let me do something for you?” He asks, somewhat nervously.

I lay down the four 10s I have in my hand before I look up at him.

“Sure?” I ask, unsure of where this going.

“One of the communities I collect from has a priest in among their people. I know you said that technicalities don’t matter much anymore in today’s world, but…if you want, I can get the priest over here to officially marry the three of y’all. Would you let me do that?”

I smile. “You’d do that?”

He grins. “I’d do anything for y’all. Y’all are my family. I know you see Tim and Jeff as your husbands already…but why not make it official?”

My grin turns into a smile. “I’d like that. Have you asked them yet?”

He smirks and nods. “I have. They want it, but told me I had to run it by you first. Get your opinion on it before I went through with it.”

I lay my cards down on the table, face down so Negan can’t see them. I get up out of my chair, and walk over to him. He raises an eyebrow as I go to wrap my arms ‘round him to give him a hug. He can be a total asshole at times, but I know he’s more than that.

He constantly amazes me with how sweet he can be. He hugs me back.

“Thank you, Negan.” I say.

He smiles. “You’re welcome, Half Pint. This means I’ll actually be your brother-in-law!”

Chapter 11: I Don't Want This Night To End

Notes:

Warning(s): Explicit Language. Fluff. Light smut.

Author’s Note(s): The next chapter (Chapter 10) will be 99.99% smut, just as a head’s up.

Chapter Text

I look up at Negan. He’s just as excited for today as I am. He knows how happy I am that he’s doing this for us. It’s been a couple weeks since he brought the subject up. I struggle with zipping the dress up.

“Hey, Tank. Care to help me?” I ask, using his nickname.

He laughs as he walks over to me. “Only you’re allowed to call me that, Half Pint. Anyone else and they’d be Lucille’d in a split second.”

“Oh hush. You know you love me.”

He chuckles. “Yeah. Shut it. You’re my little sister at this point.”

I grin. “Damn straight.”

He zips up the back of my dress. I turn ‘round and face him. His eyes twinkle as he smirks.

“The boys are gonna lose it when they see you. Good thing I’ve got tissues!” He teases, pulling a pack of tissues outta his pants’ pocket.

He traded the leather jacket, jeans, and combat boots for a pair of slacks and a button up shirt. I notice he doesn’t have Lucille with him. I laugh. He holds his arm out to me.

“You ready?” He asks.

I nod. “As ready as I’ll ever be.”

He chuckles. I place my hand in the crook of his elbow. We walk side by side from the room I got ready in to the large room where the ceremony is takin’ place. I take a deep breath once we enter that room.

“You good, kiddo?” Negan asks, softly.

I nod. “Yea. I just can’t believe this is happening.”

“You better believe. It’s happening. Those two up there can’t wait to see you.”

I smile. “I know.”

“We’ll go whenever you’re ready, ok?”

I nod. I take another deep breath as I look at the scene before me. Negan somehow managed to have his people line chairs up in two sections of rows, with an aisle between the sections. At the front of the chairs, I see Tim and Jeffrey standing side by side, with a man in a priest’s attire standing beside ‘em.

Angel’s standing on the other side of the priest, holding a basket.

I look up at Negan.

“Thank you.” I mumble.

He smiles. “Don’t thank me yet. But, either way. You’re welcome, Half Pint.”

“Let’s do this.”

He chuckles and makes a gesture with his hand. I hear the traditional bridal song play out from a speaker somewhere in the room. Negan walks me down the aisle towards the two men I love more than anything. They’re both wearing black slacks and white, button-up dress shirts, with black belts ‘round their waists.

They look really fuckin’ hot and the sight of ‘em has me taking a deep breath in. Negan chuckles when I do. As soon as my boys see me, their faces both soften. Tim reaches for Jeffrey’s hand and the two of ‘em cling to each other. Once I’m close ‘nough, I notice that they both have tears in their eyes.

Jeffrey sucks in a deep breath and Tim bites his bottom lip.

“Holy fuckin’ shit, doll.” Jeffrey murmurs as soon as I’m standing in front of ‘em.

I blush. Negan gives me a kiss on the cheek before turning to my boys.

“Y’all better fuckin’ take good care of her.” He says. “Or else…”

Tim and Jeffrey both chuckle. “We definitely plan on it.”

Negan steps behind his brother. The priest gets the ceremony started. When it comes time for the swapping of rings, Negan pulls ‘em outta his pocket, and hands ‘em over. They’re just traditional bands that the boys picked out while we were out on a run.

They wanted to get me a diamond ring, but I told ‘em that I was perfectly happy with a plain wedding band. Plus, I wouldn’t have to worry ‘bout losing a diamond, getting dead’un guts in the crevices, and it’d be lighter on my finger. They relented and realized that was practical, and that they were ok with it as long as I was happy.

We all stick with the traditional wedding vows, and before too long, the priest announces us as husbands and wife. I kiss Tim before I kiss Jeffrey, since I know he’s definitely gonna try to slip in some tongue action. I was right, and he does.

Tim elbows Jeffrey, gently, in the ribs.

“Boy. Let our wife breathe, for cryin’ out loud.” He teases.

Jeffrey pulls back, smirking. I can feel my face heat up as I blush. This has both of my husbands grinning from ear to ear. They both reach forward and weave their fingers with mine. We walk down the aisle, together. Once we get to the back of the room, I hear Negan shout.

“Let’s get this party fuckin’ started!”

I laugh. Jeffrey stands behind me as Tim stands in front of me. They wrap their arms ‘round me and hold me close to ‘em both. Jeffrey trails kisses down the side of my neck. Tim locks his lips in over mine. He pulls back slightly and only for a brief moment.

“He ain’t getting all the tongue action today, baby.” He murmurs before his lips crash upon mine once more.

Our tongues dance together. Between kissing Tim and feeling Jeffrey’s mouth on my neck, mixed the scruff of both their beards, it’s not long before my knees are weak. They both chuckle as they hold me up between the two of ‘em. Tim pulls back from his kiss.

I drop my head back against Jeffrey’s shoulder, exposing my neck to both of them. Jeffrey latches onto one side and Tim’s on the other side. I know I’m gonna have some marks come morning time. I hear a deep chuckle come from my right side.

“Well, fuck me. Y’all don’t wait long, do you?” Negan teases.

My husbands both lift their heads. I glance over at Negan. He’s smirking.

“Can we help you, brother?” Jeffrey mutters.

Negan laughs. “I just wanted to fuckin’ make sure y’all were fuckin’ enjoyin’ your fuckin’ weddin’.”

I laugh which quickly turns into a low moan as Jeffrey lowers his head and sucks on the skin just below my ear. Negan chuckles.

“I’ll take that as a fuckin’ yes, then. Y’all get on and get the fuck outta here. I don’t wanna fuckin’ see y’all for at least three fuckin’ days. And, don’t worry ‘bout Angel. I’m gonna watch her.” He says.

“Thank you.” I manage to get out between pants.

Chapter 12: Strip It Down

Notes:

Warning(s): SMUT!!! Fluff. Explicit Language.

Chapter Text

Jeffrey chuckles as he pulls back and spins me ‘round so I’m facing him. He bends down slightly and a second later, I feel his shoulder against my tummy. I let out a squeal as he throws me over his shoulder. Tim and Negan both laugh. I grip Jeffrey’s belt with one hand and slide my other hand into the back pocket of his pants.

I pinch his ass, which makes him jump. He slaps my ass in response, making me gasp.

“Woman. I swear.” He mutters. “You keep pinchin’ my ass, and yours is gonna be so red and sore you ain’t gonna be able to sit down for a week.”

I giggle. “Is that a promise?”

He growls. “You know I’m a man of my word, sweetheart.”

I giggle, but don’t say anything else. His words actually make me squirm. I keep my hand in his back pocket.

“Brother, if there’s nothin’ more you fuckin’ need from me, my husband, and my wife, we’re goin’ to get the fuck outta here. Or else, I’m gonna take my wife right fuckin’ here where everyone can fuckin’ see.” Jeffrey says.

Negan laughs. “Get the fuck outta here.”

Next thing I know, Jeffrey’s walking away. I guess Tim’s walking beside him ‘cause I don’t see his shoes behind us. Within a few minutes, I hear a door open and slam into a wall before I end up on my back on a soft mattress. I hear the door slam shut as I realize we’re back in our room.

I hear some whispers, so I prop myself up on my elbows to look at my husbands. They’re standing by the door, whispering to each other quietly, and glancing at me. I guess they reach some agreement ‘cause Jeffrey nods and Tim walks over to the bed, unbuttoning his shirt in the process.

He leaves it tucked in as he kneels on the bed by my feet. He wraps a hand ‘round each of my ankles and tugs me towards him. I squeal as he pulls me up into a sitting position. He and Jeffrey both let out a deep chuckle. Tim leans closer and kisses me.

What started as a gentle kiss turns into a heated one quickly. He nips at my bottom lip as I feel fingers trail along my shoulders. I moan into the kiss as I feel my dress loosen in the back. I feel fingers slide from my shoulders to my elbows, shoving the straps down.

I realize that the fingers belong to Jeffrey. His are a bit more calloused compared to Tim’s. Plus, Tim has one hand cupping my cheek. His other one is resting on my thigh. Tim pulls back from the kiss and gazes at me with hooded eyes. He smirks and lowers his mouth to my neck.

I feel the bed dip down as Jeffrey shifts behind me. He moves so that he’s sitting with me between his legs, and my back is pressed against his chest. I let my head fall back as a moan escapes my lips. Jeffrey’s hands roam over my torso. One hand cups my breast as his other snakes down to under my dress.

He rubs one thumb against me through my panties while his other thumb rubs circles ‘round my nipple. I pant heavily as my eyes flutter and close. I feel Tim chuckles against my neck more than I actually hear it. I sigh happily. Jeffrey slips his hand under my panties and slides two of his thick fingers deep inside me.

I gasp and moan at the feeling of his fingers in me. He lowers his head and presses his lips to my right shoulder blade. He works me over. Between the stimulation from what the two of ‘em are doing, it doesn’t take long for me to approach the edge.

Jeffrey’s lips turn up in a smirk against my skin.

“C’mon, babydoll. Cum for us.” He whispers.

His words send me over the edge. I let go and tighten ‘round his fingers.

“Jeffrey!!!” I scream.

A loud moan leaves my throat and lips. Once I come down from my high, I lean against Jeffrey, panting heavily. I hear both him and Tim chuckle. I open my eyes. Tim pulls back and looks at me.

“You still with us, darlin’?” He asks, smirking.

I nod. “Mmhhmm.”

He chuckles as he kneels before me. “Well…since Jeffrey just made you come, I’d say it’s my turn now.”

“Give me a moment. Please.”

He shakes his head, smirking. “I don’t think so, baby. I’m starvin’, and I know exactly what I want to eat.”

I blush. Jeffrey’s been rubbing off on him lately. In more ways than one. It’s fuckin’ sexy. Tim slides his hands up my thighs and curls his fingers in the waistband of my underwear.

“We’ll get her some new ones, lover boy.” Jeffrey mumbles to Tim.

Tim grins. “You’re right, dear husband. We’ll add that to the list for next time we go out.”

Hearing them call each other pet names has me smiling and getting all hot and bothered again. Jeffrey finally pulls his fingers outta me. He brings his hand up to his face above my shoulder. I hear him suck on ‘em for a second before he pulls his fingers out and slides one of ‘em back into me again.

He pulls it out after a moment, and holds his hand up in front of Tim. Tim leans forward and wraps his lips ‘round Jeffrey’s finger, sucking on it. Jeffrey lets out a deep groan before Tim leans back, grinning.

“She tastes fuckin’ amazin’, doesn’t she?” Jeffrey says, huskily.

“Mmhhmm. Real fuckin’ good.” Tim agrees.

Tim rips my underwear off of me before he dives between my thighs. He starts licking and sucking, making me weak, in a good way. Jeffrey holds me up. If he wasn’t doing that, I’m pretty sure I’d be laying on the bed. Tim eats me out like a starved man enjoying his last meal on Earth.

I somehow manage to bring my hands up to his head and weave my fingers through his hair. He groans against me as soon as he feels my fingernails against his scalp. Before too long, Tim has me on the edge once more. His facial hair rubs against me, and my inner thighs, adding to the sensations I’m feeling.

He pulls back slightly and nibbles lightly on my inner thigh. That catapults me over the edge again. I tighten my hold on his hair as I come undone.

“TIM!!!” I scream.

He pulls back, grinning. He brings his hand up and wipes his mouth and beard. He sits up on his knees, leaning into me. He kisses me. I can taste myself on him and it alone almost makes me cum again. He breaks the kiss, smirking this time.

His eyes shift to the left and I realize that he’s looking at Jeffrey. Tim leans into him and the two of ‘em share a passionate kiss. I’m stuck between the two of ‘em. I place my hands against Tim’s chest as soon as he pulls away from Jeffrey. Letting my fingertips glide across his skin, from his sternum to his belt buckle, I smile as I feel him suck in his tummy a little bit.

I tug at his shirt, pulling it from his pants before shoving it off his shoulders. It flutters to the floor at the end of our king sized bed. I unbuckle his belt and unbutton his pants. He goes to shove his pants down his thighs, but I playfully smack his hands away.

I look at him.

“Let me do it. Please.” I beg.

He nods as he bites his bottom lip. I grin and giggle. Jeffrey runs his fingers across my shoulder blades. I make quick work of pushing Tim’s slacks down to his knees. I’d push ‘em down further, but I can’t since he’s still kneeling.

“Switch places with me, babe.” I request.

He cocks an eyebrow, in question to me, but does as I ask. I slide to the floor, settling on my knees as Tim sits on the edge beside our husband. I untie Tim’s shoes so I can slide them off his feet. I tug his socks off too and toss them beside his shoes.

I pull his pants off and let them pile on the floor at his ankles. He lifts his legs slightly, effectively removing his pants completely. That’s when I notice that he’s gone commando. I grin as I nibble on my bottom lip, enjoying the sight in front of me.

Tim’s dick, hard as a rock, rests against his lower abdomen. I bite my lip a bit harder as I take in the sight of him. He’s huge, and by that I mean he’s easily eight and a half inches long and about as thick as a coke can. I flick my eyes up to his and notice that they’re closed.

I trail my fingers up his thighs before curling them ‘round the base of him. He lets out a groan as I start up a slow rhythm, stroking him from base to tip. I glance over at Jeffrey and notice that he’s palming himself through his pants.

“Fuck, darlin’!” Tim grunts as I give him a slight squeeze.

I giggle and keep up my movements. I pick up the pace a bit once Tim starts bucking his hips up into my hand. I work him over until he comes all over my hand and the lower half of his torso.

“LEIGH!” He moans as his body trembles with pleasure.

I bring my hand up and lick his release off my fingers. Both he and Jeffrey let out low, deep growls.

“Holy fuckin’ shit, doll.” Jeffrey mutters.

I look at Tim. He pants heavily and a smirk tugs at his lips.

“Goddamn, darlin’.” He says, huskily. “As much I as would’ve liked to come in that pretty little mouth of yours, that was hot as all get out.”

I giggle. He reaches forward, gently pulling me off my knees. He runs his fingers over my face, gently brushing a strand of hair behind my ears. He leans forward to give me a sweet kiss. I feel his lips trail across my jaw to my ear.

“What do you say we get you outta this beautiful dress, sweetheart?” He murmurs before nipping at my earlobe.

I can only moan in response. He chuckles. I feel two sets of hands on me, sliding the dress down my body. Two pairs of lips make their way across my body, leaving kisses in their wake. Once my dress is pooled at my feet, I step out of it.

I look at my husbands. They boy groan happily as they take in the fact that I’m not wearing a bra. Jeffrey’s hands come up to cup my breasts. Tim leans forward and latches onto one of my nipples as Jeffrey flicks his thumb over my other thumb.

The two of ‘em together tease me relentlessly, getting me closer to that edge. As soon as I come again, Jeffrey pulls me into him. My legs straddle his thighs, leaving me sitting directly over the impressive as shit bulge hiding in his pants.

“It’s my fuckin’ turn now.” He mutters.

Chapter 13: My Little Girl

Notes:

Warning(s): Language. Fluff - lots and lots of fluff. Mentions of bullying.

Chapter Text

“Hey! There’s my sweet little girl!”

I hear Angel’s sweet, innocent giggle fill the room as Jeffrey walks in. She runs over to him from where she was sitting beside me on the bed. Luckily, I just finished braiding her hair.

“Daddy!” She squeals, happily.

I smile. Angel jumps up into Jeffrey’s outstretched arms. He hugs her tightly before kissing her cheek.

“Hey, baby girl.” He says.

She just giggles and clings to him, nestling her face into his neck. I guess she whispers something to him, ‘cause he just chuckles and murmurs something into her ear. He makes his way over to where I’m sitting on the bed. He settles down next to me, still holding Angel in his arms.

I look up at my husband. He just gives me a dimpled smile as he leans in to kiss me.

“How’s my other girl doin’?” He drawls, softly, after the kiss.

I smile. “I’m good. Better now that you’re home. I’ll be perfect once Tim gets home too.”

He chuckles. “Did you miss your boys today, baby?”

I nod. “Of course I did.”

He smiles. “I missed my girls today too.”

I snuggle up to him, and rest my head on his shoulder. Angel sits back in his lap and looks at us.

“How was your day, pumpkin?” Jeffrey asks.

She shrugs. “It was ok. I guess.”

“You guess? What’s wrong?”

She hesitates. “Why do kids have to be so mean?”

I look up to see my husband’s brow furrow. “What do you mean, baby girl? Who’s being mean to you?”

“Mark…”

Jeffrey looks at me, questioningly. “Mark?”

I shrug. “I don’t know who that is. Maybe a new kid? I know there were some new kids that came in with the new group a few days ago.”

Jeffrey looks back at Angel. “Who’s Mark, sweetie?”

“He’s a new kid. He started classes yesterday. He’s seven and really mean.” The little girl replies.

“What’d he do?”

“He said some really mean stuff.”

“Like?”

“You, mommy, and daddy weren’t my really mommy and daddies. There was no way you could be. I’m too dark to be yours.”

“Oh baby girl.”

“But. I know he’s lying. You are my mommy and daddies.”

“Yes, we are, baby girl.”

“Even though my skin’s darker than yours?”

Jeffrey nods. “Yes, baby girl. Even though your skin is a wee bit darker than ours, you’re still our little girl.”

“Promise?”

“I promise, sweetheart. Don’t listen to him. Ok?”

“Ok, daddy. I love you.”

“I love you too, baby.”

She giggles and hugs Jeffrey before she leans towards me, while still staying in his lap. She wraps her arms ‘round my neck, and I hug her back.

“I love you too, mommy.” She tells me, softly.

“I love you, munchkin.” I say, kissing her forehead before she can pull away.

She curls back up in Jeffrey’s arms. He tightens his arms ‘round her, and rubs her back. She dozes off. He looks at me.

“I have half a mind to go talk to this little punk who’s bullying her.” He says, quietly.

“Honey. He’s seven. You can’t fight a kid.” I say.

“I don’t care. No one needs to be picking on our little girl.”

“I know, hon. But, you really can’t fight a child. I wouldn’t approve. Tim wouldn’t approve. And, your brother wouldn’t approve. You know he’d have to punish you if you did.”

Jeffrey sighs. “I know you’re right, doll. But…part of me can’t help it. I just want to protect her. And, it doesn’t matter if she’s not ours biologically. She’s still our little girl.”

“She is. Ever since we took her in, she’s been our little girl. I love the fact that you want to protect her, and you’re right, no one should bully her. But, you can’t just go off fighting a seven-year-old. Maybe we can talk to the kid, get him to lay off. If he doesn’t, we can talk to Negan and see what he suggests. But, I can’t take the chance of losing you, or having you hurt. And, just because you’re Negan’s brother doesn’t mean you’re untouchable. None of us are.”

“You’re right. If the kid doesn’t stop, though, you can guaran-fuckin’-tee I’m gonna do somethin’ ‘bout it.”

“I know you will, Jeff baby. That’s one reason why I love you.”

He smiles. “I love you too.”

I hear the door open and close softly as I kiss him. I feel the bed dip down on my other side and arms wrap ‘round me.

“Hey, darlin’.” I hear Tim murmur as his lips drift over my shoulder.

I pull back from Jeffrey and look at my other husband. He smiles as he lifts his head up. I kiss him softly.

“Hi, babe.” I murmur against his lips.

The four of us stay on the bed together. It’s nice and relaxing. I catch Tim up on what Angel told Jeffrey and I a little bit ago. He goes all protective father too, and I have to tell him the same thing I told Jeffrey. Eventually, there’s a soft knock on the door.

“C’mon in.” Tim calls.

The door opens and Negan steps into our room, closing the door behind him. He’s barefoot, wearing a pair of sweatpants and a tank top. He pads over to the bed and sits on the edge of it. He runs a hand through his hair as he glances at Angel and a smile erupts on his face.

He looks up at my husbands and I.

“Can I talk to y’all ‘bout somethin’?” He asks.

“Of course. What’s up?” I ask.

He sighs. “It’s come to my attention that someone’s been bullyin’ little Angel here.”

I raise an eyebrow. “Let me guess…Mark?”

Negan looks surprised. “You know?”

“Angel just told us ‘bout an hour or so ago.” Jeffery says.

“And, y’all didn’t come to me?”

“I had to talk these two down from doin’ somethin’ as stupid as fightin’ a child. They get real protective over her.” I say.

“They have every right to. She’s precious. And she’s family.” Negan says softly.

“I know. But that doesn’t mean that they can go and fight a child. I don’t want ‘em to get punished for it.”

“Fuck.” Negan sighs. “You’re right. Even though y’all are my brothers, there’d have to be some sort of punishment for hurtin’ a child. Besides, I don’t tolerate hurtin’ kids.”

“Exactly.”

“While I don’t tolerate hurtin’ women or children, I also don’t tolerate bullyin’. I dealt with ‘nough of that shit back when I was a history teacher. And, I always shut that shit down. But…it’s not like we can just send the kid to detention…oh wait. I can. I guess I’m the fuckin’ principal now, eh?”

This gets a chuckle from us. Negan cracks a small smile.

“I can put the kid in ‘detention’ and have him run laps or some shit. Or write 200 sentences on why bullying is wrong.” Negan says.

“Spoken like a true teacher.” I tease.

“It’s what I’d fuckin’ do.” Jeffrey says. “Make the little shit run laps, do sit-ups, have him do our version of that godawful Pacer test bullshit that the administration used to make us have the kids do once a month.”

“God. I fuckin’ hated that shit. The kids who had gym right before comin’ to my class almost always fell asleep ‘cause they were so worn out from that shit.” Negan says.

“Same. I can’t tell you how many kids I had fall asleep in my class after they had to do that.” Tim agrees.

“Ok…so maybe we don’t have the kid do the Pacer test itself – that shit’s fuckin’ brutal, and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. But, maybe we can do somethin’ similar. And, each time he bullies Angel, or any other kid for that matter, he has to do whatever we set up as our Pacer test? And the same would go for any other kid who bullies.”

“That sounds like a good idea. Who are you gonna have watch the kid while he’s in ‘detention’?” Jeffrey asks.

Negan smirks as he looks at his brother. I look up at my husband. He’s gone pale.

“Oh hell fuckin’ no. I done did my time watchin’ those little heathens run ‘round.” He mutters.

“Exactly. You have the experience. You know what to do. You’d be in charge.” Negan promises.

“No.”

“Please, bro? I don’t trust anyone else to do this. They’d either be too lax or too harsh with the kids.”

Jeffrey sighs. “Fine. But, you owe me.”

“Deal. Whatever you want.”

“I’m gonna hold you to that.”

“I expect nothin’ else.”

Angel stirs in Jeffrey’s arms. He rubs her back as she lifts her head up and rubs her eyes.

“Hey, baby girl.” He murmurs softly.

“Hi, daddy.” She mumbles, sleepily.

Jeffrey reaches up and brushes her hair out of her eyes. He kisses her cheek, which has her giggling. She looks over at me and sees Tim sitting beside me. Her face lights up.

“Daddy!” She squeals.

Tim chuckles. “Hi, sweetheart. Did you have a good nap?”

She nods as she clambers out of Jeffrey’s lap, over me, and settles down in Tim’s lap, laying her head against his chest as she tries to wrap her arms ‘round his upper torso.

He hugs her close to him.

“Hey, little Angel.” Negan says, softly.

She lifts her head up off Tim’s chest to look at her uncle.

“Uncle Nehan!” She says, excitedly. “You’re here!”

He chuckles. “I am.”

She jumps up outta Tim’s arms and launches herself at Negan. He has to grip the comforter on our bed tightly to keep himself from falling off and into the floor. He obviously wasn’t expecting her to do that.

He laughs as his arms wrap ‘round her. “Did you miss me or something’, munchkin?”

She nods. “I did. I haven’t seen you in a few days.”

“I’m sorry, little one. I’ve been busy.”

“It’s ok.”

“I got you somethin’.”

“You did?”

He nods. “It’s a surprise, though. I gotta go get it from my room real quick. Ok?”

“Ok.”

He kisses her forehead before setting her on the blanket.

“I’ll be right back. Don’t go anywhere.” He says.

“I won’t.” She promises.

Negan leaves the room and walks down the hallway to his own room. Within a few minutes, he’s returned, holding something behind his back. Angel moves to the end of the bed, looking up at him. He walks over and kneels before her.

“Close your eyes.” He says.

I guess she does, ‘cause Negan moves his hand from behind his back. In his grasp is a blue plastic, whiffle ball bat. Wrapped ‘round the top of it is some string that looks like it’s been glued on to keep it in place. He lays the plastic bat across his knee.

“Ok. You can open your eyes now.” He says.

I can tell that Angel does as he says ‘cause I hear her let out an excited squeal.

“It’s for me?” She asks.

Negan nods and grin. “It is. You have your very own Lucille now.”

She wraps her arms ‘round his neck. “Thank you, Uncle Nehan.”

“You’re more than welcome, kiddo. You are my favorite little niece after all.”

She giggles. “I’m your only one.”

“Yep. And even if you had a bunch of sisters, you’d still be my favorite.”

She giggles even more. “If you say so.”

“I do. Now, c’mon. Give your Lucille a swing.”

Angel hops down off the bed and takes the plastic bat from her uncle’s outstretched hand. He shows her how to hold it and swing it. She accidentally whacks his lower leg, but he just chuckles. I look at my husbands. They’re both smiling as they watch our little girl interact with her uncle.

It really is a precious sight. I know that Negan has to appear like a complete asshole, but I know that’s not all he is. He’s quite a sweetheart once you get to know him, and he shares that side of him with you. Luckily, I get to know that side of him, so I know he’s really just a teddy bear.

Seeing him interact with Angel like this, and getting to talk to him during our card games, just proves the fact that he’s not a monster.

Chapter 14: Landmine

Notes:

Warning(s): Language. Angst. Slight violence. Slight fluff.

Chapter Text

I take a deep breath in. I can’t believe it. I’d know that haircut anywhere. I jump outta the truck before Negan has a chance to stop the vehicle and me. I take off running towards what caught my attention. Amidst a pile of dead’uns, is someone I’d know anywhere.

I fall to my knees beside the person I thought I’d never see again. It’s been a few years since I’ve seen her, my best friend, Alyss. The only reason it’s been so long is ‘cause she lived on the other side of the country, and it was hard to get to see each other due to school, and a couple other reasons on both our parts.

She seems to be unconscious, and I panic slightly. I can’t lose her. She’s been there for me through thick and thin. She’s my best friend and she means the world to me. I nudge her shoulder, and get a groan of pain in response. At least I know she’s alive.

I let out the breath I’d been holding in as I lean over her, making sure she’s ok, and looking for any bites. As soon as I know that she’s free of bite marks from the dead’uns, I look up. Negan’s finally stopped the truck right ‘round the spot where I jumped out.

He, Tim, and Jeffrey all are running towards me. I hear the groaning of the dead’uns from behind me. I reach for my knife and quickly kill the dead’un that’s closest to me.

“Leigh! What the fuck do you think you’re doin’?” I hear Negan scold me as soon as the men get close to me.

I look up at Tim. He looks shocked as he glances between Alyss and I.

“Honey, is that?” He asks.

I nod. “She’s alive. We gotta get her back home.”

I hear another groan come from my best friend. I look down and see her eyes fluttering open.

“Alyss!” I exclaim.

She looks up at me. “Hey, kid.”

I smile. She struggles to sit up, so I help her. I sit down next to her, letting her lean against me. I know that neither of us really like being touched, but for the most part, we are the exception for the other.

“What happened?” I ask.

“I got bombarded by ‘bout twenty of those fuckers. I took ‘em all out by myself, but the last one I got managed to grab ahold of my ankle. I lost my balance and fell. I guess I hit my head pretty damn hard.” She replies, slowly. “I’m ok, though, kid. You know me. I’m tough.”

I chuckle. “I know you are. Believe me, I know you are.”

She laughs. She moves around so that she’s no longer leaning against me. I raise my eyebrows and nod at her unspoken question. We have our own secret language between us that doesn’t actually use words. At my nod, she flings her arms ‘round me.

I laugh and hug her back. It’s been far too long since we’ve hugged, hell, since we’ve seen each other in person.

“Half pint, I hate to break up this reunion, but do you care to explain what the actual ever-lovin’ fuck is goin’ on here?” Negan asks.

I look up at him, over Alyss’ shoulder, and I notice that Tim’s grinning from ear to ear. He knows I’m happy. Plus, he’s happy to see Alyss too. I look back at Negan, realizing that he’s still waiting on my answer. I feel Alyss start to pull away, so I lower my arms.

I help her stand up. Negan’s eyes widen slightly when he looks at her. I figure it’s ‘cause of the height difference between my best friend and I. I mean, she is 5’11”, which puts her at well over half a foot taller than me.

“Negan, this is my best friend, Alyss.” I say, grinning.

Alyss drapes her arm ‘round my shoulders. I look up at her.

“Bud, this is Negan, Jeffrey, and well you already know Tim.” I say.

She laughs and goes for a high five from Tim. He chuckles and returns the gesture, before my best friend pulls him in for a hug. Alyss turns to Jeffrey next.

“I’d say it’s ‘bout fuckin’ time I met you.” She tells him.

Jeffrey laughs. “I could say the same fuckin’ thing. It’s nice to finally meet you in person. FaceTime calls only go so far for meeting someone.”

Alyss’ laugh cuts through the air. “You’re right.”

“You up for a hug?”

“Sure. Why not? You mean the world to Leigh here, so you must be alright.”

Jeffrey chuckles. My husband and best friend hug each other. Alyss steps back beside me. She looks at Negan. Her eyebrow raises, and she smirks as she glances at me.

“You didn’t tell me that there were two versions of Jeffrey.” She teases.

I laugh. “That’s his twin brother. I know I’ve mentioned him before.”

“I didn’t think they were identical! You could’ve told me that.”

I smirk. “I didn’t know.”

She laughs and turns to look at Negan. He’s got an odd expression on his face as he bites his bottom lip. He shakes his head, clearing his thoughts.

“Well, shit, doll. I don’t think I’ve heard Half Pint laugh this much before. You must be pretty fuckin’ special to her.” He says, in a playful manner.

“Damn fuckin’ straight, I am. This kid here’s my best fuckin’ friend. And I’m hers.” Alyss says, slinging her arm ‘round my shoulders.

Negan smirks. “God damn. You’re a feisty one, ain’t you?”

My best friend chuckles and nods. I grin. She really is. She knows how to handle herself, defend herself, and doesn’t let anyone step all over her. She is a complete and total badass. I hear groaning and moaning coming from behind us. I turn to see three dead’uns making their way, slowly, towards us.

I look up at Alyss and she smirks at me, giving me a nod. I step back slightly to let her do her thing. She pulls the aluminum baseball bat she has hanging from her hip up and into her grasp. I watch as her fingers curl ‘round the handle. She brings it up to her shoulder as she stalks towards the dead’uns.

She gets ready, standing with her feet shoulder length apart, bat drawn up into a batting stance, and she prepares to swing. As soon as the dead’uns are close ‘nough to her, she swings the bat mercilessly into the sides of their mushy skulls, one right after ‘nother.

They fall to the ground at her feet, truly dead. Alyss swings the bat to the side, flinging the blood off of it. Once most of the blood is gone, she reaches down to rip a piece from one of the dead’uns shirts. She wipes the bat clean and tosses the bloodied cloth down onto the ground.

She places it back in its holder on her hip as she walks back over to me. I give her a high five, grinning. Negan lets out a low whistle.

“Sweet baby Jesus. Lord have mercy. You sure know how to handle a bat, girl.” He says.

Alyss laughs. “Of course I fuckin’ do.”

Negan’s eyes twinkle with amusement and something akin to lust. A smirk plays on his lips.

“Well, shit, doll. Remind me not to fuckin’ piss you off.” He says.

“You’d do well to remember that. I’d hate to mess that pretty face of yours up.” My friend retorts.

Negan chuckles. “You think I have a pretty face?”

Alyss rolls her eyes. I chuckle. Negan has no idea who he’s messing with. I glance over at my husbands. They’re both smirking.

“Doll. I’ve got an offer you can’t refuse.” Negan starts.

“Try me.” Alyss says.

That smirk of Negan’s gets bigger. “Well, you see, doll, I’m the leader of this compound, called The Sanctuary. We could use someone like you there. You’re a badass, easy on the eyes, and you’ve got a got sense of humor. Normally, people only get two options, but I’ll give you three. One, you come back, work for points, pay your way, and I’ll keep you safe. Two, you work for me as a Savior, similar to what these three here do, and you don’t have to work for points. You take what you earn. Or three, and this is by far my favorite of the choices. You agree to be one of my wives, and you can have everything your pretty little heart desires. You don’t have to work. I’ll keep you safe. All you have to do is look pretty, and be willing to come to me whenever I call for you. Now, keep in mind, if you go with door number three, I won’t force you to do anything you don’t want to. I don’t believe in that shit, and if someone tries it, I’m quick to shut that shit down. So…what’ll it be, sweetheart?”

“Wives? You have more than one?”

“Fuck yes I do! I’ve got three. You’ll be lucky wife number four. If you say yes, of course.”

“I’ll stick to being a Savior, thank you. I don’t share my men with other women. As attractive as you are, I refuse to be just another notch on your bed, Negan.”

My brother-in-law bites his bottom lip, and nods his head, slowly. I know that wasn’t the response he was hoping for, but I know my friend. She wouldn’t put up with having to share him.

She pulls her bat up into her grasp once more, and points it as Negan. “Like I said, you’re a pretty boy, and while I don’t give a flyin’ fuck what you fuckin’ do in your own fuckin’ time, I don’t share my pretty boys.”

Negan’s eyes widen for a split second before the biggest, shit-eating grin covers his face. I shake my head at him, as my friend slides her bat back into it’s holster on her hip.

“Fair ‘nough, doll. Just know that the option is always available for you.” Negan says, smirking at my best fuckin’ friend.

Now that I know for a fact Alyss is coming back with us, I can’t contain my excitement. I’ve missed the shit outta her, and now we’ll be able to hang out more. She tells us that she’s got her bike with her. Negan, Jeffery, and Tim all load the motorcycle up into the bed of our truck.

The boys pile into the front seat while Alyss and I settle into the backseat. We joke ‘round, talk, and tease each other relentlessly until we get back home.

Chapter 15: Feel Again

Notes:

Warning(s): Language. Slight angst. Fluff. Soft side to Negan shows.

Chapter Text

“Negan, what’s wrong?” I ask, glancing at him over the rim of my scotch glass.

He shakes his head. “Nothin’ Halt Pint.”

“I call fuckin’ bullshit. Somethin’s eatin’ at you. What is it? You’ve been actin’ different for the past month.”

He sighs. “Your friend…she makes me feel things I ain’t felt since Lucille. I swore to myself that I’d never let myself fall in love again…but I’m fallin’ for Alyss. I’m fallin’ for her hard. There’s just somethin’ ‘bout her. From her smile to the way she busts my balls every fuckin’ chance she gets.

He lowers his head as he continues to talk. “She makes me laugh, and genuinely laugh. Not that half-assed laugh I do when Simon or one of my men make a lame attempt at a fuckin’ joke. The laugh I do when either you, your husbands, or little Angel make some wisecrack. She makes me see the good that’s still left in this fucked up world. She makes me want to be a better man. A better me than I am now and a better man than I was to Lucille.”

His voice gets quieter as he looks back up at me. “I just want to do whatever I can to make her happy. I want her to be the first thing I see when I wake up in the mornin’ and the last thing I see when I fall asleep at night. But, I don’t think she wants to be with me, and I respect her choice. I do. Yet, I can’t help but want her by my side.”

I look at him. I can tell he means every single word he just said, and that it was tough for him to admit. But, he knows I won’t judge him or think any less of him. In the last month and a half that Alyss has been here, Negan’s changed.

In a good way.

I no longer hear him pounding his wives into oblivion; in fact, I don’t think he’s even slept with any of ‘em since he met Alyss. He tries to do whatever he can to make her laugh, smile, and just overall be happy. It’s nice to see the change in him.

I know he’s a good man, and he’s not perfect, but then again, who is? Certainly not me, Tim, Jeffery, or anyone I know. Nevertheless, we’re still good people. Plus, I know Alyss has been enjoying the attention Negan’s been giving her, but she still refuses to be just another wife.

Even though, I know for a fact she wouldn’t be. Not to Negan. From what I know of him before the apocalypse started, the way Negan is acting ‘round Alyss is the same way he acted when he was courting Lucille. So…I know that means Negan’s definitely falling for my best friend.

I focus my attention back on Negan. He looks nervous and dare I say, slightly scared. I understand it. Love can certainly be a scary thing. ‘Specially when you’ve got a reputation of being a hardass. I lean forward and place my hand on his knee. He looks up at me, questioningly.

“Have you tried tellin’ her, Tank?” I ask, quietly.

“She’s shot me down every time I bring up the subject of her being one of my wives.” He replies.

“Negan, honey. Listen. If you want her like you say you do, you gotta show her. You know what it takes to make her smile, to make her laugh, hell to make her happy. You know what her reasoning is behind her not becoming one of your wives. And, quite frankly, I support her. She deserves more than just being one of the women who has your attention.”

“She’s not just one of them. She’s the only one who has my attention. You think if I actually get rid of the wives, she’ll say yes to me? I mean, I haven’t even slept with, thought ‘bout, or even really talked to any of the others since I met her.”

“It’d be a step in the right direction, if you did. If she means as much to you as you say she does, then you gotta woo her. Prove to her that she’s the only one for you. Show her how much she means to you. How much you love her. She deserves so much, Negan. But, at the very least, she deserves that.”

“She deserves the world. The stars. The galaxies. All of it. She deserves all of it. And I’d do whatever I could to make sure she gets everything she deserves.”

“Then do that.”

His face looks hopeful. “So…I have your permission to woo your best friend?”

I grin. “Yes, Negan. I can tell she makes you happy, and trust me, I know you make her happy.”

He grins like a little boy on Christmas morning. “Really?”

I chuckle. “Yes. Really.”

He does a fist pump in happiness. “Thank you, Half Pint.”

I smile. “No problem, Tank. But. There is somethin’ I gotta tell you.”

His face quickly falls. “What?”

“If you ever hurt her, I will make your life a livin’ hell. You’ll wish you were workin’ the fence outside as a dead’un. I will personally make sure that you regret even thinkin’ of hurtin’ her. I will torture you so bad that you’ll wish you’d never met me. And, if you do somethin’ that she doesn’t consent to, I will cut your dick off, shove it down your throat, and make you pay. Do you understand me?”

His face tightens up. “Is that a threat, Leigh?”

“No. It’s a goddamn fuckin’ promise, and you know I keep my word. I don’t make threats, Negan, but I sure as shit make promises. I don’t give a shit if you are my brother-in-law, I will make sure you regret everythin’.”

He lets out a quiet chuckle. “Well shit, Half Pint.”

I glare at him. “Negan.”

He holds his hands up in surrender. “Ok. Ok. I got your message. Just for the record, I’d never hurt her. I couldn’t do that to her. And, you know for a goddamn fuckin’ fact, I don’t condone rape, so you don’t have to worry ‘bout that.”

“Good. As long we got that outta the way.”

He lets out a deep breath. “We cool?”

I nod. “We’re cool. You’re family, Negan. And so is she.”

He nods. “I know.”

I finish the last little bit of scotch in my cup before I help Negan clean up from our card game and evening drinks. Before I leave, I give him a hug, which he happily returns. To me, he’s an older brother. To him, I’m a younger sister. That’s all.

Well, I mean, we’re friends too, but that’s it. He’s my family, and I’m his. I make my way to the door, stopping to look back at him.

“Oh. And, before I leave, there’s one other thing I should tell you.” I say.

He raises an eyebrow. “Is it ‘bout her?”

I grin. “Yes.”

“Well, then let’s fuckin’ hear it.” He chuckles.

“She absolutely loves chocolate and peanut butter. If you find Heath bars or Mr. Goodbars while you’re out on a run, keep ‘em. Those are her favorites. It’ll be one step in your favor.”

He smiles. “I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you, Leigh.”

“No problem, Neegs.”

He groans at my use of his brother’s nickname. I just laugh.

“Have a good night, Negan.” I say.

“You too. Tell your husbands I said hi. Oh! And little Angel too! I miss seein’ her ‘round. She’s always in the classroom.” He says, grinning.

“She’s a smart girl, and I’ll be damned if a zombie apocalypse will keep her from getting an education. Maybe I’ll bring her by to see you tomorrow since we don’t have to go on a run.”

His face lights up. “I’d like that.”

I grin. “Or. You could just come see her whenever. You know she loves you. You’re her ‘Uncle Nehan” after all.”

He laughs. “You’re right.”

Chapter 16: The Dance

Notes:

Warning(s): Fluff. Possible explicit language.

Author's Note(s): The images of the tattoos that are shown below are of my own actual tattoo. In fact, all of the tattoos that Leigh has, mentioned in this chapter or later, are based off my own ink.

Chapter Text

“Darlin’? May I have this dance?”

I giggle at my husband’s question. “But, I’m dirty. I haven’t showered yet!”

Tim chuckles. “You didn’t seem to mind dancin’ while you were gettin’ your clothes, baby.”

I blush as I stand up straight, turnin’ away from the dresser, a tee shirt and shorts in my hand, as I look at my husband. He’s perched on the edge of our bed, ankles crossed, and a grin on his face. He’s leaning back slightly, propped up on his palms. 

He cocks his head to the side, looking at me.

“Please, baby?” He asks, softly.

I smile as I nod. He grins as he pushes himself up off the bed and stalks over to me. I set my clothes on the dresser behind me.  He wraps his arms ‘round me, as he lowers his head to gently brush his lips against mine.

“I don’t care if you’ve showered yet or not, darlin’. You know I just love havin’ you in my arms. Besides, if it makes you feel any better, I haven’t showered yet either.” He murmurs, against my lips.

I grin into the kiss. “I love bein’ in your arms. Even if you’re sweaty and stinky.”

He pulls back, gazing down at me, pretending to be hurt.

“You think I’m stinky?” He pouts.

I giggle. “No more than I am.”

He chuckles. “So…you’ll still dance with me? Even though I’m stinky?”

I nod. “Of course I’ll dance with you, honey.”

He grins. “Good. Be right back.”

He kisses my forehead before pulling away. He walks over to the record player we have on the bookshelf in the corner of our room. He scans through the collection of records we’ve all picked up while out on runs. He chooses one and gets it situated, with the needle of the record player against the edge of the vinyl.

 As the music starts playing, he walks back over to me. I smile as I hear the song.

 

“Lookin’ back on the memory of the dance we shared…”

Tim knows I’ve always loved Garth Brooks, and this was the first song Tim and I danced to years ago, shortly after we first met.

“Beneath the stars above, for a moment all the world was right.” Tim murmurs, singing along to the song, as he pulls me into his embrace.

I smile before wrapping my arms ‘round his waist, and resting my head against his chest, over his heart. The two of us sway side to side. Tim softly sings along as we drift ‘round our room.

 

“How could I have known you’d ever say goodbye
“And now I’m glad that I didn’t know
“The way it all would end the way it all would go
“Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
“But I’d have had to miss the dance
“Holdin’ you I held everything”

Tim tightens his arms ‘round me as he sings this line. I know he loves having me in his arms. He always has, ever since I finally got the courage to ask him for a hug for the first time ‘bout ten years ago. He’s always told me that when he has me in his arms, all of his worries fade away and he can finally relax. 

I could say the same goes for me. When I’m in his arms, I feel safe, relaxed, and loved beyond a shadow of a doubt.

 

“For a moment wasn’t I a king
“But if I’d only known how the king would fall
“Hey who’s to say you know I might have changed it all
“And now I’m glad I didn’t know
“The way it all would end the way it all would go
“Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
“But I’d have had to miss the dance
“Yes my life is better left to chance
“I could have missed the pain but I’d have had to miss the dance.”

I tighten my arms ‘round him as the song ends and another one begins to play. I turn my head slightly and kiss his chest, just above his heart. He lets out a deep, happy sigh.

“I’d do anythin’ for you, darlin’. You know that, right?” He asks, softly.

I nod my head against his chest. I know he would, and he has before. He’s been there for me through some of my darkest days, and I am referring to my life before the apocalypse fuckin’ started. He’s kept me from ending it all on multiple occasions. 

He’s protected me from my father several times, even though they went to middle and high school together. Tim has been there for me. He would protect me during school, and even though I never technically had him as a teacher, he still took me under his wing. 

He was my best and only friend from middle school, up until I graduated college at 18. Even though he’s 23 years older than me, that shit doesn’t fuckin’ matter. I prefer older men than guys closer to age. Besides…it’s different with Tim. He’s not just some older guy.

He’s the one I fell in love with first, the one that’s always held the key to my heart. Plus, It’s not like we ever did anything while I was in school, and I didn’t ask him for a hug until well after I turned 18. In fact, I was almost 19 before I finally asked him for a hug, and the only reason I did was because I didn’t want to end my life knowing I’d never taken the chance to try and get a hug from him.

“I love you, Timothy Anthony Hall-Morgan.” I murmur.

“I love you too, Samantha Leigh Sullivan Hall-Morgan.” He replies.

I giggle at his use of my full fuckin’ name. After we got married, I agreed that I’d take both my men’s last names, and that’d they’d both take each other’s last names too, hyphenating ‘em. Even though I don’t like my first name, ‘cause of it’s origin, 

I still have to admit that hearing my tongue twister of a name flow over Tim’s lips has me really fuckin’ happy. Tim brings one hand up to cup my cheek. I tilt my head back to look up at him. He just gives me that dimpled little smile I fell in love with when I first met him.

“What do you say we go take that shower now, eh darlin’?” He asks, chuckling.

I laugh. “We probably should. I know I stink to high heavens, and after that run, I need a fuckin’ shower. Do you know when Jeff’s gonna be back?”

He rocks his head from side to side, thinking. “I think he’ll be home in a little bit. I know Negan needed to talk to him after we got back.”

“Oh ok. Well…let’s go shower. I think we still have a few hours ‘fore Angel’s done with classes.”

Tim laughs as he follows me into the bathroom. He starts the water as I strip, tossing my dirty clothes into a pile by the cabinet under the sink. Once the water is hot ‘nough for us, Tim pulls back and gets undressed. His clothes land on top of mine as he pulls the shower curtain back, letting a billow of steam out in the process. 

I chuckle. We might be in the middle of a damn zombie apocalypse, but we have hot fuckin’ water. Tim chuckles when he hears me. He looks at me, eyebrow raised. I shake my head as I walk closer to him. I press a kiss to his cheek before stepping under the hot water.

I let out a sigh as the water hits my head and shoulders before rolling down my chest and back. Tim gets in behind me, closing the curtain so the floor doesn’t get wet. He wraps one arm ‘round my waist as he leans over me to grab the bottle of body wash.

It’s a generic men’s liquid soap, but I don’t mind. I’ve always preferred men’s body wash over women’s; it doesn’t smell as flowery and it’s always been cheaper. I hear the click as Tim opens the bottle. A moment later, I feel his hands on my shoulders as he starts washing my back.

He gives me a slight massage, which has me moaning, before his hands drift lower across my lower back. He brings his hands up and begins washing my arms. I hear something softly thud against the tub, and glance over my shoulder. Tim’s kneeling behind me so he can wash the back of my legs.

I let my head fall forward as I savor the feeling of his hands kneading my muscles. My hair falls down, shielding my face a bit, and the water drips down. I watch as the dirt and grime, from being out and scavenging, flows down the drain.

“Turn ‘round, darlin’.” I hear Tim instruct.

I do, and immediately feel the hot water pelt against my back. Damn. It feels fuckin’ amazing. Tim glances up at me, through drooping eyelashes, and the little bit of hair hanging over his eyes. He hasn’t had a chance to cut his hair in several weeks, so it’s getting a bit longer than normal. 

I smile down at him. He grins as his hands slide up from my feet to my knees and to my hips. He stands up, being careful not to fall. He grabs the bottle of body wash once more, and squirts a little bit into his right hand. After setting the bottle down on the edge of the tub, he rubs his hands together, turning the soap into suds.

He brings his hands closer to my belly and starts washing me there. I wasn’t expecting him to wash me when I mentioned that I needed to take a shower, but I’m not complaining either. He’s always really sweet, gentle, loving, and caring when he does. 

Once he has my entire body washed and cleaned, he moves to my hair. Since he’s nearly a foot taller than me, it’s not too difficult for him to run his run fingers through my hair. He washes my hair with the body wash. Shampoo and conditioner have become a bit scarce here lately, and plus, it’s not really a necessity as much as body wash it, so it’s not quite a priority to look for when we’re out, scavenging.

As the last of the suds flow from my hair with the water, Tim kisses my forehead. I go to return the favor of him washing me by attempting to wash him. He shakes his head.

“No, baby. This is ‘bout you. Not me. Let me take care of you.” He whispers.

I nod. He quickly washes his body and hair. As soon as he’s clean, slides the curtain back and steps out. He grabs the fluffy towel off the rack on the wall, and dries himself off. Wrapping the towel ‘round his waist, he reaches forward to turn the shower off. 

I watch as he grabs another fluffy towel with one hand, and holds his other hand out to me. I take it as I step outta the tub. He starts by drying my hair, then runs the towel over my body, letting it soak up the remaining water drops that dot my skin. 

When he’s finished, he wraps the towel ‘round me, tucking it under my arms. He weaves his fingers with mine as he leads me back into our bedroom. I notice Jeffrey’s propped up on the bed, with his eyes closed. His boots are kicked off to the side, and his arms are tucked behind his head.

He opens his eyes and his entire face lights up.

“There’s my beautiful wife and handsome husband!” He says, grinning.

I giggle and blush. Tim chuckles from beside me. Jeffrey sits up on the bed, swinging his feet over the edge so they rest on the floor. He looks both Tim and I up and down, taking in the sight of us.

He lets out a low whistle. “God damn. How did I get so fuckin’ lucky to be married to you two?”

My cheeks heat up even more from where I’m blushing. Tim gently squeezes my hand as he chuckles. Jeffrey’s grin gets bigger as he gets up and makes his way over to us. He stands in front of me, and brings one hand up to my chin. I tilt my head to look up at him.

He closes his eyes as he lowers his head, letting his lips brush over mine. I kiss him back. He smiles against my lips. He taps the tip of my nose with his finger after he pulls back. I giggle which has him grinning even more, making his dimples stand out under his salt-and-pepper scruff.

He winks at me before turning to our husband. Since they’re nearly the same height, neither of ‘em have to move their heads too much. Tim brings his free hand up to grip Jeffrey’s shirt, pulling him in for a kiss. I watch as my husbands kiss one another. 

They pull back after a few moments, letting their foreheads and noses touch. I smile. Jeffrey pulls back slightly and looks over at me.

“Damn. I fuckin’ love y’all.” He says. “That was quite the pair of ‘welcome home’ kisses from y’all.”

I laugh, as does Tim. I reach for my clean clothes I’d left on the dresser, and slip the tee shirt on, letting the towel fall to the floor by my feet. I realize it’s one of Jeffrey’s as it hangs down to my knees. I slide the pair of shorts on, noticing that they’re Tim’s boxer shorts. 

I bend over to pick the towel up, folding it in half as I stand back up.

“Fuck. I’d say she looks damn good in our clothes. What do you think, husband?” Jeffrey asks Tim.

I glance up to see the loves of my life, looking at me with pure love in their eyes. Tim’s nibbling on his bottom lip as he nods his head in response to Jeffrey’s question. 

I blush, but still roll my eyes. “You’re lucky they’re comfortable.”

Jeffrey chuckles and Tim smirks. “Is that so?”

I nod. “Mmhhmm.”

Jeffrey shakes his head, grinning. Tim reaches into the dresser to grab a pair of jersey shorts. He slips ‘em on once he removes the towel. I take it from him, folding it up too, before I set both of ‘em back in the bathroom. I scoop our dirty clothes up and toss ‘em in the hamper so I can wash ‘em later.

“I’m gonna take a quick shower, and then I’ll be right back out.” Jeffrey says, stripping his shirt off.

“We’ll be right here, honey. Probably laying in bed, though.” I say.

Tim nods. “Yea. What she said.”

Jeffrey chuckles. “Ok.”

Once he’s in the bathroom, Tim pulls me over to the bed. I get situated in the middle of it, under the covers, before he can even settle down beside me. He wraps his arms ‘round me, pulling me into him. I wrap my arms ‘round his tummy and lay my head on his chest. 

I feel his fingers trace a design on my left forearm. I glance down and realize that he’s running his fingers over the tattoo I have there. It was my most recent and last one I got before the apocalypse started. It was something that I designed myself; granted, I designed all four of the tattoos that are scattered across my body.

One of ‘em, Alyss even helped me design, so that one has some real special meaning to me. The one Tim is tracing at the moment is my historical tattoo – Civil War edition. I’ve got two flags, on flag poles that are crossing one another in the middle of the poles. 

The flag on the left is a fifteen star American flag, while the one on the right is the original Stars and Bars. Both flags are tattered to represent the warfare that both endured during their time flying high for the countries they represented. Below the flags, the words “Four Score and Seven Years Ago…” are inked into my skin.

image
image

I was quite proud of this tattoo, as it represents one of my greatest passions and times to study in history. The Civil War was something I’ve been studying and learning ‘bout since I was five years old. 

My other areas of interest and expertise in history include FDR’s presidency and the Great Depression, 1929 to 1947, and lastly the Civil Rights Movement as it pertains to Major League Baseball, i.e. Jackie Robinson and the integration process.

The feeling of Tim’s fingers roaming over my arm relaxes me. I close my eyes as I listen to the beating of his heart. I ended up dozing off, in the arms of one husband, while waiting on the other to finish his shower.

Chapter 17: What Hurts The Most

Notes:

Warning(s): Mentions of what could be considered “cruel and unusual punishment” - but…it’s really just lack of food to an asshole prisoner. (Don't worry. I'm not going against the 8th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution)…Descriptions of serious injuries and the medical care to treat said injuries. Explicit language. Angst. Slight fluff - if you squint, you might be able to see it. I think that’s it…if y’all see somethin’ that I didn’t add a warnin’ for, please just let me know.

Chapter Text

“Where the fuck are they?” I demand as I storm down the hallway, pissed as fuck and scared as shit.

I don’t let anyone see my fear, though. Only my anger. Everyone scurries out of my way. My eyes lock onto Simon as he hesitantly walks towards me. I stop right in front of him.

“Where are they, Si?” I demand.

“They’re in the room across from the infirmary. Doc’s in there with ‘em now.” He says.

“Where’s the bastard that did this?’

“In the cell. I shoved him in there myself as soon as we got back.”

“Keep him there. I’ll fuckin’ deal with him.”

“I don’t think Negan will approve of that.”

“Does it look like I give a fuck if Negan will approve? That bastard almost got Negan, Jeffrey, and Tim killed. He deserves to fuckin’ pay, and let me tell you. He will most certainly motherfuckin’ pay. If one of my boys dies, there will be hell. Do you understand me?”

Simon doesn’t say anything, but nods his head, lowing his eyes to the floor.

“Will you keep an eye on Angel? Please? I don’t want her to see the boys like this.” I say, softly.

He nods. “Of course.”

“Thank you, Si. I appreciate it. Now, I’ve got three men I have to go check on.”

“Let me know if you need anythin’.”

I nod. He steps out of my way. I’m still pissed as shit as I make my way down to the infirmary. I stop in front of the closed door across the hall. I know my family is in there. I know they’re hurt, but I dunno how badly their injuries are. I just know that I almost lost all three of ‘em. 

They’re my family. Tim and Jeffrey are my husbands, and Negan’s my brother. I slowly bring a hand up to the handle, turn it, and open the door. I stop in my tracks as soon as I see my boys, and yes, Negan is included in that title. I close the door behind me, noting that the doctor ain’t in the room.

Tim’s laying on one of the exam tables, completely naked, save for a towel draped over his hips. I choke back a sob as I look over his body. He’s bruised, battered, and bloody. I don’t see any apparent bite marks from a dead’un, so that’s a plus, but I can’t get my hopes up. 

The bone in his lower leg is sticking out. His right arm is bent at an awkward angle as it rests over his stomach. His eyes are both swollen shut, his nose is broken, and his lip is bloodied. His stomach is covered in slashes, cuts, and scratches. 

My heart breaks, but I know he’s still breathing, and that’s what matters right now. I look over at Jeffrey, who’s laying beside him on another table. He’s got nothing on but the towel covering his waist. His chest rises and falls slowly, but I can tell it’s labored.

I notice why as soon as my eyes drift lower. Right there, on his left side is a bullet wound. I can’t tell if it’s just a graze, or if it went straight through him, or if it’s still fuckin’ lodged in there. He’s got a shallow cut his lower abdomen. His left forearm is broken too. 

I let my eyes drift lower, and I notice that his legs appear to be fine. I hear a groan come from my left side. I look to see Negan’s eyes fluttering. I hurry over to his side. He groans again as he opens his eyes slightly. He tries to sit up, but I gently hold him down. 

He tries to fight me, but eventually stops after a few seconds. I don’t know how bad his injuries are yet, and I don’t want him getting hurt any more than he already is.

“Half Pint?” He croaks.

“I’m here, Negan.” I reply.

He tries to give me a smirk, but fails and groans in pain. I get him some water, which he gulps down against my protests to sip it.

“Where’s Jeffrey? Tim?” He asks, letting his eyes close.

“They’re here, too.” I say.

“Are they awake?”

“Not yet.”

“That fucker. I’m gonna fuckin’ kill him.”

“No. You’re not.”

“Like hell I’m not! That fucker turned on me! Almost got me killed! Almost got Tim killed! And he almost got my fuckin’ brother killed!”

“You’re not gonna kill him ‘cause I’m gonna fuckin’ do it.”

Negan cracks an eye open and looks at me. “You?”

I nod. “Why the fuck not me? This asshole almost made me lose my entire fuckin’ family. He’s gonna fuckin’ pay for that shit. Plus…you’re not exactly in any condition to beat someone to death.”

He offers a quiet chuckle, but groans and grasps at his side. That’s when I notice that he’s got a gunshot wound in his side and his chest is covered in bruises. The fingers of his left hand are broken. His cheek is sliced open, and his nose is broken. 

I glance down and notice that his ankle’s swollen.

“Fuck, kid. You’ll make him truly fuckin’ pay?” He asks, quietly.

“Damn fuckin’ straight. Right now, I’m already going to end him slowly and painfully. And, so fuckin’ help me, if either one of my husbands or you die, he’s gonna regret ever livin’.” I say, angrily.

“Shit, Half Pint. I’m glad I haven’t pissed you off since our first encounter. You’re fuckin’ brutal.”

“I’ve been through shit, shit from this world, and shit from the old world. I know how to fuckin’ fight and torture someone.”

He nods. “Jeff mentioned somethin’ like that a year or so ago. That’s one reason why I haven’t tried to piss you off again.”

“Will you punish me if I kill the bastard that did this to y’all?”

“Fuck no. Just let me get a little better, then I’ll call a meetin’, and I’ll hand the reins over to you. You’re right. I’m not in any fuckin’ position to make this bastard pay. Therefore, you’ll do it for me. But, I’ll be there to watch.”

I nod. His eyes close.

“I’m gonna check on my husbands real quick, ok? But, I’ll still be here.” I assure him.

He nods. I go over to check on Jeffrey. My man’s still breathing heavily. I glance ‘round and notice a bowl of water and a rag beside it. I grab the items and set to washing off my husband’s torso and face. Once I have him cleaned up, I can see that the bullet wound was just deep graze. 

This lets me know that the bullet’s not still inside of him. I look ‘round for a suture kit, gauze, tape, and ointment. I sew up the bullet wound, dress, and cover it before moving to the cut across his abdomen and doing the same thing there. Once I do as much as I can for Jeffrey, I kiss his forehead.

He’s still passed out, but his breathing’s gotten a little bit better. I kiss his cheek before moving over to Tim to clean him up as well. I stitch up his wounds. Once I’ve done all I can for him, I cover both of them up with blankets I find behind the tables.

I take care of Negan too, covering him up after I’ve finished. I settle down in the chair against the wall, keeping an eye on my family. I don’t leave the room for four days, refusing to leave my boys. Simon stops by to bring me food, and a blanket and pillow once he realizes I’m not leaving. 

Also, for some reason, Simon comes to me to get my approval on things that need to be done. I dunno how or why, but after he saw me pissed off the day the boys got injured, I feel like he sees me as an interim leader, even though he’s supposed to be the one in charge when Negan’s not ‘round.

I convince Simon to leave the asshole that put my family in this situation in the cells. I only permit the asshole to have two sips of water and a single slice of bread each day while he’s in there. Alyss comes by to check on me and the boys. 

I know it breaks her heart to see Negan like this, and to see my husbands like this too. Negan dozes in and out of consciousness while I’m there. Tim and Jeffrey don’t wake up at all, which worries me. On the fourth day, Negan wakes up for good. 

I lift my head up off the bed Tim’s laying in. I get up and walk over to check on my brother-in-law. He tries to push himself up into a sitting position. I help him, but only after he cusses me out, ranting ‘bout how he’s spent enough time laying down. 

I prop him up against a couple of pillows. He looks over at his brother and brother-in-law. His facial expression breaks my heart. He looks back at me.

“That asshole paid yet?” He grunts.

“He’s slowly paying. I’ve had him kept in the cell, and only allowed him to have two sips of water and a single slice of bread a day.” I say.

“Shit, Half Pint. That’s brutal. Even by my standards.”

I raise an eyebrow. “Really? I don’t think it’s good ‘nough. Not for what he’s done to y’all.”

“Have either of ‘em woken up yet?” He gestures to my husbands.

I shake my head. “Not yet.”

“Fuck. They’re patched up, though?”

I nod. “I patched ‘em up on the first day.”

“You did? Where’s Carson been? How’d you know how to do it?”

“I did. I haven’t seen Carson since I got here that first day. And, I learned at an early age how to patch up severe injuries. If there’s one thing my deadbeat, asshole of a father taught me, it’s how to fix myself after he did the things he did to me.”

“Shit, kid. I’m sorry. I didn’t realize it was that bad for you. But, thank you for fixin’ ‘em up. I’ll deal with Carson later. That fucker doesn’t know how bad he’s fucked up.”

I nod. He looks down at his side before looking up at me, confused.

“Did you stitch me up too?” He asks.

I nod. “I did. You’re my family too, Negan. I’ll pay for whatever supplies I used to fix y’all up, but I’d do it again.”

He shakes his head slowly. “Shit. You ain’t gotta pay for shit. You know that. Besides, you were takin’ care of me and your husbands. I wouldn’t make you use your points for doin’ that.”

I nod. “Yes, sir.”

He chuckles quietly. “Can I get a hug, Half Pint?”

“I don’t want to hurt you.”

“You ain’t gonna fuckin’ hurt me. I can handle a hug for you after the fuckin’ shit I went through.”

I move closer to him and gently hug him. He slowly brings his arms ‘round me and hugs me back.

“You know…there are only five people I hug now, right?” He murmurs, before he pulls back, resting against the pillows once more.

“Really? Who?” I ask, shocked.

“You, Jeff, Tim, Alyss, and Angel. My family.”

I smile. “Aww. See. I knew you were a sweetheart.”

“Shut the fuck up.” He teases. “Don’t tell anyone. I’ve still got a fuckin’ reputation to uphold.”

I laugh. “I know. Don’t worry. Your secret’s safe with me. Did you used to be a hugger, before all this?”

He shakes his head. “No. I’d only hug Jeff, our mum, and Lucille.”

A shadow of sadness flickers across his face at the mention of his late wife. I hug him, gently. His head rests against my chest as he curls one arm ‘round my waist.

“I’m sorry, Tank. I know you miss her.” I say, softly.

He nods. “I miss the fuckin’ shit outta her. But, I’ve got y’all now. I’ve got Alyss. That’s all that matters.”

He tightens his arm ‘round me a bit more. He eventually lets go of me as we both hear a grunt of pain came from one of the other tables. I look up to see Jeffrey move slightly. I rush over to his side and take his hand in mine. His eyes flutter.

“LEIGH!” He shouts. “TIM!”

I run my fingers through his hair and kiss his forehead.

“Shhh, baby. I’m right here.” I whisper in his ear.

He relaxes. I look down at him. He gently squeezes my hand. His eyes crack open and he looks up at me.

“Doll?” He asks, quietly.

“I’m right here, Jeffrey baby.” I assure him.

“Where’s Tim?”

“He’s still unconscious. But, he’s alive.”

“Good. And my brother?”

“I’m right here, Jeffrey. I’m ok.” Negan says from behind me.

I take a step to the right slightly so that the two brothers can see one another. Negan looks at his brother, pain etched across his face.

“Hey, Neegs.” Jeffrey grunts.

Negan chuckles. “Hey, Jeffy.”

Jeffrey gives him a small, pain-filled smile before he looks up at me, wincing.

“How long have I been out?” He asks.

“Four days, six hours, twenty-three minutes, and forty seconds.” I say.

He smirks. “Forty seconds, eh?”

I shrug. “I dunno. I guessed.”

He chuckles, which makes me smile. “I love you, darlin’.”

“I love you too, honey. Don’t ever scare me like again. Got it?”

He nods. “Yes, ma’am.”

“I thought I’d lost you both. I can’t lose y’all.”

He squeezes my hand. “You know I ain’t dying till I’m damn good and ready to die.”

I nod, trying to fight the tears from rolling down my cheeks.

“Don’t cry, baby. I’m still here.” He says, quietly.

I nod. I don’t trust myself not to say anything. I’ve tried so hard not to cry over the last few days. There’s a knock on the door before it opens. Alyss steps inside, holding a tray. Her eyes immediately search for me, and when she sees me standing ‘side Jeffrey, she lets out a gasp.

“Jeffrey! You’re awake!” She says, happily.

My husband lets out a quiet chuckle. “I am.”

“Hey! I’m fuckin’ awake too, doll.” Negan says.

Alyss smiles. “I’d say it’s ‘bout fuckin’ time you woke up, pretty boy.”

“Pretty boy? I’m not a pretty boy right now. Have you even looked at me since I got back?”

My best friend nods as she moves closer to Negan, setting the tray of food down on the chair. She places her head against his shoulder.

“I have. I’ve been checkin’ on you multiple times a day every single day you’ve been in here. And, quite frankly, you’re still my pretty boy. Even with all your battle scars. They just add to your whole “bad-boy sex appeal” thing you’ve got goin’ on.”

I notice that Negan blushes slightly. Alyss moves in closer to him, slowly wrapping her arms ‘round him. Negan holds her close to him and lets out a happy sigh. I turn away from the two of ‘em to focus on Jeffrey. He’s looking over at Tim. 

I stroke my thumb across the back of his hand. He looks from our husband to me.

“Do you think he’ll wake up, doll?” He asks, quietly.

“I hope so. I don’t want to lose him. I can’t lose him.” I answer, trying to keep my voice from cracking.

“I know, sweetheart. I don’t wanna lose him either. You know he means the entire fuckin’ world to me too.”

I nod. “I know, honey.”

“He’s too fuckin’ sweet and gentle. If we lose him, I know we’ll still have each other, but I don’t wanna think of a life without him in it.”

“Me either.”

Jeffrey slowly lifts our joined hands up to his lips and kisses the back of my hand.

“He’ll be ok, sweetheart. He’s strong.” He whispers.

I nod my head. “I know he is. I just wish he’d wake up now.”

He nods. “Me too, sweetie. Me too. Um…do you think you could help me scoot over? I want you to lay beside me for a little while.”

I nod and very carefully help him scoot over a little bit. I don’t want to hurt him further. I lay down beside him and lay my head on the pillow beside his head. He reaches for one of my arms and drapes it over his tummy. Jeffrey closes his eyes a few minutes later. 

His breathing starts to even out, and I realize that he’s fallen asleep again. I kiss his forehead and continue to lay next to him.

Chapter 18: Mercy

Notes:

Warning(s): Graphic descriptions of violence - Lucille doing what she does best as a vampire bat. Slight fluff - if you squint, you might be able to see it. Explicit Language, but at this point, that’s a given. I think that’s it…if y’all see somethin’ that I didn’t add a warnin’ for, please just let me know.

Chapter Text

It’s been nearly two weeks since my family was injured. Negan’s been up and moving ‘round for a few days now. Jeffrey’s finally able to sit up without needing my help. And Tim…Tim’s still in a coma. It breaks my heart to see him in the state he’s in. 

After ‘bout a week after the incident, Negan had several Saviors bring Tim up to our room so he could be in our bed. That made it easier for me to keep an eye on all three of ‘em since we’re all on the same floor. Negan spends most of his time in his office, trying to get caught up on what he missed while he was recovering.

Jeffrey stays with me in the room as I keep an eye on Tim. Now…two weeks to the day that they were all injured, Negan calls for Simon to have everyone gather for a meeting. Today’s the day that I can finally make the asshole in the cell pay for what he did to my family. 

I watch as Negan struggles to zip up his leather jacket with his broken hand. I walk over to help him. He picks Lucille up with his good hand and places her so that she rests against his shoulder. He looks down at me.

“You got what you need to do this?” He asks.

I nod. “Yes, sir. He used a knife on y’all, right? And shot y’all?”

He nods. “And crushed my hand with his boot after knocking Lucille from my hands and shoving me to the ground.”

I growl. “This fucker doesn’t know what he’s got comin’ for him.”

“You sure you can do this?”

I nod. “Hell fuckin’ yeah. I can do this. The rules are in place for a reason, right? We can’t just ignore one rule or else this all comes crashin’ down, right?”

He chuckles. “You are most certainly fuckin’ right ‘bout that, Half Pint.”

I nod. We make our way down to where the meeting’s gonna happen. I see the little fucker that caused this sitting in chair, arms tied behind his back, and each ankle tied to a leg of the chair. Simon’s standing behind him, with a gun pointed at the back of his head. 

Dr. Carson’s standing beside Simon. Jeffrey slowly makes his way over to us where we’re standing on the catwalk. I’m honestly surprised to see him down here. Negan and I both told him he didn’t have to be here, but he said that he needed to. 

If everyone else was gonna be here, he had to be here too. I wrap my arms ‘round him and stand on my tiptoes to kiss his cheek.

“How you feelin’, honey?” I ask, looking at him as I pull back.

“Like fuckin’ shit, but I’m up and walkin’ ‘round now.” He says, honestly.

I sigh. I hate the fact that he’s still hurting. Negan bangs Lucille against the railing, getting the attention of all the people in the giant room. Everyone looks up at him as he starts his speech ‘bout the rules. We make our way down the stairs to where the fucker is tied to the chair. 

I glare at him. He looks scared shitless, as he should be.

“Now, normally, I’m the one to dish out the punishments, but seeing as how much this fucker has hurt Leigh here by hurtin’ her family, I’m gonna let her do the honors.” Negan bellows.

He turns to me. I know he didn’t mention that he was injured too; he’s got a reputation to uphold here, and he can’t have his people knowing that he got hurt too. We concocted a story ‘bout him being out an extended run to cover his absence while he was recovering.

“You ready, Half Pint?” He asks, quietly.

I nod. “Yes, sir.”

He lets that smirk tug at his lips. He steps to the side, standing beside Jeffrey. I look at my husband; he looks like he’s ‘bout to pass out. I walk over to Negan, before I deal with the fucker tied down.

“Can we get Jeff a chair? He looks like he’s ‘bout to pass out, and I don’t want him putting too much pressure on his leg.” I say.

Negan nods. “Fat Joey! Get me a fuckin’ chair!”

The man known as Fat Joey scrambles to get a folding chair and brings it to Negan immediately. Jeffrey sits down at my request, and I can see him visibly relax a little bit.

“Thank you.” He mumbles.

I kiss his forehead in response, running my fingers through his hair. I turn to the bastard that’s caused so much pain for my family. I draw my knife out and chuckle at the look of fear that settles on his face. I cut away the bindings that keep him in the chair.

“Stand the fuck up!” I demand.

He does so, with the help of Simon. Once he’s standing in front of me, on shaky legs, nonetheless, I twirl the knife in my hand.

“You think ‘bout runnin’, and you’ll fuckin’ regret it. Do you understand me?” I ask, angrily.

He nods his head quickly.

“Fuckin’ answer me, you goddamn piece of shit!” I yell.

“Yes, ma’am. I understand.” He quickly spits out.

“Good. Now…You really thought you could fuckin’ get away with the shit you pulled?” I ask, not really wanting an answer.

Before he can answer, I swing my arm with the knife clutched in my hand, and slice his lower stomach. He lets out a groan. I didn’t let it go too deep, so it’s really just flesh wound.

“I’m goin’ to make you fuckin’ pay, asshole. Everything you did to them, I’m gonna do to you, but ten fuckin’ times worse. You did it to them quickly, but I’m gonna fuckin’ drag this shit out.” I say.

I bring the knife down against his shoulder, letting it go a bit deeper, drawing more blood as I slice from his left shoulder down to just below his last rib on the right side of his body. He groans. I slice him in various places a few more times before he finally drops to his knees. 

I slide my knife in its holster after wiping his blood off it using his shirt. I’m letting him suffer. Once I have my knife up, I curl my hand up into a tight fist, being mindful of everything I’ve ever learned when it comes to punching someone. I throw a damn good right hook, which knocks him over.

Simon jerks him back up into a kneeling position. I continue to beat the ever-loving shit out of the asshole kneeling before me. Once I’m satisfied with how his face looks, I step back for a moment and look at him. He’s sprawled out on the floor, face battered and bruised, torso slashed, and blood dripping from his wounds. 

He looks up at me.

“Please. Have mercy on me.” He pants.

That really fucking pisses me off. I step closer to him, stepping on his back, keeping him pinned to the floor.

“HAVE MERCY ON YOU? You little fuckin’ piece of shit? Why should I have mercy on you? You sure as fuckin’ shit didn’t have mercy on my family when you tried to fuckin’ kill ‘em!” I yell. “So…No. I won’t have mercy on you.”

He groans and starts crying more than he was. I move slightly and slam my boot down on his left hand, hearing the bones with a sickening crunch.

“You didn’t have mercy when you broke my family member’s hand!” I shout.

I slam my foot down on his right arm, effectively breaking it.

“You didn’t have mercy when you broke my husband’s arm!” I yell.

I go to stomp on his left forearm to break it, when I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn to look at the person stopping me. It’s Negan.

“Here, Half Pint. Use Lucille. She’s getting’ fuckin’ thirsty watchin’ this show.” He says, softly.

I nod. “Thank you.”

I take the barbed wire baseball bat into my hand. Negan steps back, letting me continue. I bring Lucille down on the fucker’s arm. He lets out a bloodcurdling scream as the barbed wire digs into his flesh and the bones in his arm shatter.

“You didn’t have mercy when you broke my other husband’s arm!” I yell.

I walk ‘round to where I’m standing by his legs. I raise Lucille up.

“And, you sure as fuckin’ shit didn’t have mercy when you broke his leg!” I shout as I bring Lucille down onto his left leg.

The bones crunch beneath the blow. I lift Lucille up, and hand her back to Negan. He chuckles darkly as he takes her back, the blood dripping off her onto the floor. He walks over to stand beside Jeffrey.

I look at Simon. “Get him back up into a standing position.”

He does as I ask. He jerks the asshole up to where he’s standing in front of me again. The guy looks fuckin’ miserable. Good. He should be. I nod at Simon to step back. He gets everyone standing behind the asshole to step back as well. I might be hell-bent on making sure this fucker gets what he deserves, but I don’t want to hurt anyone else.

I pull my gun out, and aim it at the bastard in front of me. Relief flashes across his face. I can’t have that. He ain’t getting off that easily.

“Please. Just kill me.” He stammers.

I laugh. “Kill you? That easily? Fuck that. I’m just doing to you what you did to them.”

With that, I pull the trigger, watching as the bullet rips through his left side, just grazing him. He falls to the ground. Simon jerks him back up. I take aim again, this time at his right side. Firing the gun again, once Simon’s outta the way, I watch as it tears through his right shoulder. 

The fucker falls down again. I let him lay on the floor while I put my gun away. I look at Dr. Carson. He looks terrified of me. I won’t be requiring his services, though. Not today. This fucker on the ground won’t be living much longer. I walk over to him, and crouch down in front of him.

I jerk his head up by his hair. “How the fuck were you going to kill them?”

He doesn’t say anything. I punch him again. I already know the answer, but I want to hear this sorry sack of shit say it.

“Fuckin’ answer me.” I demand.

“Lucille.” He says, quietly, spitting out blood.

I raise my eyebrow. “And just how were you going to use Lucille?”

“After I killed Negan by bashing his skull in with a rock, I was going to take Lucille and bash the other two men’s heads in.”

I glare at him. I let go of his hair and watch as his head slams into the concrete floor. I walk over to Negan. He willingly hands Lucille over. He had already promised me that I could use her for this part. I take her and walk back over to the sorry excuse of a man laying on the floor. 

I crouch down in front of him again, jerking his head up once more. I show him Lucille.

“You were gonna use this pretty little thing and bash in the skulls of the two men I love more than anything in the world?” I demand.

He nods. “I didn’t know they were your husbands. They were with Negan. I couldn’t have any witnesses.”

I slam his face into the ground before jerking his head up.

“You little fucker. They ain’t fuckin’ done shit to you. You were really gonna kill two fuckin’ innocent men just ‘cause you couldn’t have any fuckin’ witnesses?” I yell.

He nods his head, slowly. I drop his head so I can stand up.

“You really are a sad excuse for a human being, asshole. Goin’ to kill two innocent men just to cover up your failed attempt at killin’ someone else!” I yell. “For that, you’re gonna pay!”

I bring Lucille down, slamming her into the back of the man’s head. I repeat the action several more times, until his brains are exposed and are just a pile of mush. I turn to look at Negan. He walks over to me, gently taking Lucille. He looks at his people.

“You don’t fuck with me. You don’t fuck with Leigh. You sure as fuckin’ shit don’t mess with her husbands. Let this be a lesson to all you fuckers! The rules are in place for a reason. They keep us alive. You break the rules, you get punished. Just like this fucker did.” He bellows. “Now, someone clean this shit up.”

Chapter 19: Honey, I'm Good

Notes:

Warning(s): FLUFF!!! Language. Slight angst. I think that’s it?

Chapter Text

Sherry comes running up to Negan and whispers something to him. I start to panic. She’s the one person that wasn’t present for the beating I just dished out ‘cause she was upstairs with Tim. Her being down here means that there’s been some kind of change with my first love. I watch as Negan relaxes. 

He turns to me, and says, “Leigh, sweetheart. You need to get upstairs to your room now.”

I furrow my brow. “Is everything ok? What’s wrong with Tim?”

“Nothing. He’s awake.”

I don’t hear anything else that he says as I take off running across the concrete floor and up the five flights of stairs to my bedroom. I open the door and look at my bed, where Tim is. He’s still there, and sure ‘nough, he’s awake. He looks up, and looks at me in confusion. 

I rush over to his side, sitting beside him on the bed. I take his hand in mine as the tears start rolling down my cheeks.

“You’re awake!” I sob.

“I am, sweetheart. I’m awake.” He says, his voice barely above a whisper.

I lay my head against his chest as I continue to cry. I feel his fingers in my hair as he soothes me. I cling to him, but not ‘nough to hurt him. After a few minutes, I stop crying and sit back up.

“How are you feelin’?” I ask, taking his hand in mine and running my fingers across his skin.

“I hurt. I feel like I got hit by a fuckin’ Mack truck. But, I’m good.” He says, softly.

“You sure?”

He nods. “I’m sure.”

I want to believe him. I really do. But, he’s been knocked out for two weeks now and he was the most injured one out of the three of ‘em. I think he sees my doubt, ‘cause he cups my cheek.

“Honey, I’m good. I promise.” He murmurs.

I nod. “Ok. I believe you. I’m just glad you’re alive and awake.”

“Me too, baby. Me too. How’s Jeffrey?”

“He’s good. He’s been awake for ‘bout a week and a half now.”

Tim furrows his brow. “How long was I out?”

I glance at my watch. “Two weeks, nine hours, and fifteen minutes.”

“Fuck.”

I nod. “I was so scared you weren’t gonna wake up.”

He rubs his thumb along my jaw. “You ain’t getting’ rid of me that quickly, darlin’.”

“I don’t wanna lose you. Period.”

“I don’t wanna lose you either, baby.”

I hear the door open, but I don’t look. To be honest, I’m terrified to look away from Tim, scared that if I do, I’m gonna realize that he’s not actually awake.

“Holy fuckin’ shit. You’re actually awake.” I hear Jeffrey say.

Tim grins. “I am. Miss me?”

“Fuck yeah. I fuckin’ missed you.”

Jeffrey comes to sit on the other side of Tim. I watch as Jeffrey runs his fingers through Tim’s curls before leaning down to kiss his forehead and whispering something in his ear.

Tim’s eyes dart to me. “You know I didn’t mean to scare you, right, darlin’?”

I nod. “I know. But when I heard that y’all had been hurt, and when I saw you, I was scared shitless. I didn’t want to think ‘bout losing either of you. I couldn’t live without y’all.”

Jeffrey leans forward and presses his lips to my temple. He knows how I’ve felt the last two weeks.

“It’s ok, doll. We’re both here. Just like I promised.” He murmurs.

I nod and he settles back down beside Tim. Neither of us say anything else for a while. I don’t want to leave Tim’s side.

“Sweetheart. Um…are you ok? Why are you covered in blood?” Tim eventually asks.

I look down and realize that I am indeed covered in blood. Not mine, but rather that fucker I beat. I look up at Tim. He looks worried.

“I’m alright. I just…um…it’s not my blood. I promise.” I say.

“Whose is it?” He asks.

I bite my bottom. “The man that hurt y’all.”

“What did you do?”

“Nothing more than what he deserved.”

“She beat the fuckin’ shit outta him.” Jeffrey says, a hint of pride in his voice.

“Why?” Tim asks.

“Because he fuckin’ hurt y’all. Tried to kill y’all. Negan was gonna kill him, but since he wasn’t in a position to do so, I did. I made him pay for what he did to y’all. I only did to him what he did to the three of y’all, and what he was gonna do to y’all.” I explain.

“Oh, honey. Are you ok?”

I nod. “Yea. I’m good. Hell. I’m better now that you’re awake.”

He nods. “Lean down here, will you?”

I do as he asks. He kisses me softly.

“Why don’t you go take a shower and get cleaned up?” He suggests.

I nod, but hesitate. I don’t want to leave him. I don’t want to lose him.

“Babygirl, I’m still gonna be here when you get back.” He assures me.

“Promise?” I ask, quietly.

He nods. “I promise. I’m not getting up any time soon. I’m just gonna lay here. Go take a shower and then come back and lay with me.”

I nod but still hesitate.

“Doll. I’ll be right here with him. I promise. I won’t let anythin’ happen to him.” Jeffrey says.

I nod. “Ok. I’m going.”

I kiss both of my husbands before getting up. I snag some clean clothes outta the dresser and head to our shared bathroom. I strip off my dirty clothes and hop in the shower. Once I’m clean, I hurry up and get dressed, pulling my hair up into a ponytail. 

I go back into the bedroom and stop, looking at my bed. Jeffrey’s laying on his back with Tim curled up next to him. Tim has his head on Jeffrey’s chest, and Jeffrey’s arm is draped ‘round Tim’s shoulders. Both of my boys are sound asleep. 

I make my way over to the bed, and lay down beside Tim. I curl up next to him, being careful not to hurt him. He stirs, but not too much. Just ‘nough to weave his fingers with mine, and bring our hands to rest on Jeffrey’s stomach.

“I love you both.” I whisper, knowing they’re both sleeping.

I let my eyes close as I relax. Just before I drift off to sleep, I hear two mumbled whispers.

“I love you too.”

“I fuckin’ love you both to the moon and back.”

Chapter 20: In Case You Didn't Know

Notes:

Warning(s): FLUFF!!! Language. Angst. Pregnancy. Mentions of miscarriage. Soft side to Negan shows.

Chapter Text

I smile as soon as I walk into my bedroom. Tim’s finally up and moving ‘round. He still has some trouble walking long distances, but he’s gotten better in the three weeks since he woke up from the coma he was in. Jeffrey’s got one arm wrapped ‘round Tim’s waist as the two walk ‘round. 

Jeffrey helps him turn ‘round so they can face me. Their faces both light up once they see me.

“Hey, sweetheart.” Tim says.

“Hey, doll.” Jeffrey says, grinning.

“Hi, boys.” I say.

They both chuckle.

“In case you didn’t know, doll, we’re not exactly boys. We’re men.” Jeffrey teases.

I laugh. “I’m well aware of the fact that you’re both men. But, you’re still my boys.”

This has both of ‘em blushing, and grinning from ear-to-ear. Jeffrey helps Tim walk over to the bed, where they both settle down. I sit in front ‘em, crossing my legs under me. I reach one hand out to each of ‘em. They both willingly lace their fingers with mine. 

They both stare at our hands.

“You know we’re men, don’t you?” Tim asks, teasingly.

I giggle. “Of course I know. Besides…I have somethin’ to tell y’all that further solidifies that you’re both men.”

This has their attention. They both look up at me, curious as to what I’m ‘bout to say, but they also look worried.

“You’re ok, right, doll?” Jeffrey asks.

I grin and nod. “I’m actually better than ok.”

He cocks an eyebrow. “Yeah?”

“Yeah!”

Tim chuckles. “That’s good. You wanna let us in on what’s got you so good, baby?”

I bite my lip and glance down. “I’m pregnant.”

I hear Jeffrey cough and Tim suck in a deep breath. I look up at ‘em. They both look really happy, but also shocked.

“You wanna say that again, sweetie?” Jeffrey asks, quietly. “I’m not quite sure I heard you right.”

I giggle. “You heard just fuckin’ fine and you know it.”

He smirks. “Maybe so. But, I wanna hear you say it again.”

“Me too.” Tim agrees.

“I said, ‘I’m pregnant’.” I repeat.

They both grin from ear-to-ear, their eyes lighting up.

“So…we’re gonna be actual dads?” Tim asks.

I grin and nod. “Yep! Now don’t ask me which one of you two knocked me up, ‘cause I don’t know.”

Jeffrey laughs and reaches forward to place a hand on my tummy. Tim does the same. Their fingers overlap each other’s.

“That doesn’t matter, doll. That’s still our kid. It doesn’t matter which one of us knocked you up. We’re both still gonna take care of you and the baby.” Jeffrey says.

I smile. “I know. That’s why I love you both.”

“We fuckin’ love you too, baby. Ain’t that right, hubby?”

Tim chuckles. “Fuck yeah it’s right.”

I giggle. “Goofballs.”

“Your goofballs.”

I smile and nod. Jeffrey looks up at me.

“When’d you find out?” He asks.

“This mornin’. I stopped by to see Doc to get some more pain meds for Tim, and he noticed somethin’ was off with me. Then, I got sick in his office. He asked me when my last cycle was, and after I told him, he had me take a pregnancy test to double check. When it came back positive, he knew there wasn’t anythin’ else wrong with me. I came straight here to tell y’all.” I say.

My boys both smile, letting their dimples show. I lean forward and kiss ‘em both on the forehead.

“Have you told Alyss or Negan yet?” Jeffrey asks.

I shake my head. “I wanted y’all to be the first people I told. You know, seeing as this is y’all’s child too.”

Tim chuckles. “You’re right ‘bout that. When do you wanna tell the rest of the family?”

I shrug. “Maybe later tonight.”

They both nod, giving me the all clear that they’re ok with me telling Negan and Alyss the good news later.

“How far along do you think you are, doll?” Jeffrey asks.

“Doc guessed ‘round two and a half to three months. It’s kinda hard to know for sure these days.” I say.

“That makes sense. I guess we’ll need to start lookin’ for baby items when we go out on runs.”

I nod. “I was thinkin’ ‘bout that.”

Tim looks at Jeffrey and whispers something to him quietly. Jeffrey takes a deep breath in and replies just as quietly. I wish I knew what they were talkin’ ‘bout. There’s a set of three heavy knocks on our bedroom door.

“C’mon in.” I call out.

The door opens. My best friend and my brother-in-law walk in. Alyss grins as soon as she sees me and rushes over to hug me. Negan chuckles and sits down beside his brother and brother-in-law. I hug Alyss back before she settles down next to me. 

She glances down at the hands on my belly and looks up at me, questioningly.

“You ok, kid?” She asks.

I nod. “Fuck yeah!”

She laughs. I always say “Fuck Yeah!” in response to her questions that warrant an answer like that. It’s an inside joke between us that we’ve had since before the apocalypse started. One of our favorite magicians, who was known for being silent, once said it and it stuck with us.

“You boys just can’t seem to keep your hands off your wife, can y’all?” Negan teases.

Tim and Jeffrey both laugh before pulling their hands away from my tummy. I miss the warmth as soon as they do. They both look at me, grinning. Negan looks between them and I.

“Alright. What the fuck am I missing here?” He asks.

Jeffrey chuckles. “How do you feel ‘bout bein’ an Uncle?”

Negan’s brow furrows. “I’m already an Uncle. To Angel.”

I giggle. “Well, yea…but how ‘bout to another kid?”

“What are you getting’ at, Half Pint? Are you sayin’ what I think you’re sayin’?”

I smirk. “What do you think I’m sayin’, Tank?”

“You got a little munchkin on the way?”

I laugh. “Fuck yeah!”

Negan’s face switches from confusion to pure happiness. He starts to say somethin’ but he can’t get the words out. He just stops sputtering and grins. Alyss lets out a happy noise from beside me. Next thing I know, she’s got her arms ‘round me and is hugging me tightly. 

She lays her head on my shoulder.

“This mean I get to be an Aunt?” She asks, excitedly.

I place both my hands on her forearm, giggling. I rest my head against hers.

“Yes, bud. You get to be an Aunt.” I reply, smiling.

She hugs me tighter. “I’m so excited. This is gonna be fun.”

I nod. It really is. I look at the boys. They’re all grinning from ear-to-ear.

“I’m gonna be an Uncle!” Negan says, chuckling. “There’s gonna be a new Savior in the makin’!”

I groan. “My kid is not going to be a Savior, Tank.”

“Why not? He’d be the best Savior ever. I just know it.”

“We don’t even know if we’re havin’ a boy or girl. But, regardless, I don’t want to think ‘bout my child goin’ out on runs, fightin’ dead’uns, and potentially gettin’ hurt.”

Negan’s face softens. “Ok. I can understand that. Who knows…maybe by the time the little squirt’s grown up, things’ll be back to the way they were before, and there won’t be any dead’uns roamin’ ‘round.”

“That’d be a miracle. Who knows?”

“I can’t believe you’re gonna have a kid, Leigh!” Alyss says, dragging my attention to her.

I giggle. “I know. It’s gonna be great.”

She nods her head against my shoulder. “Damn straight it is.”

“Any idea whose youngin it is?” Negan asks, jokingly.

“Mine!” Both of my boys say at the same time.

Negan, Alyss, and I all laugh. Negan looks at my husbands.

“Last I checked…it only takes one man to get a woman pregnant.” He teases.

“Nah fuckin’ dip, Sherlock.” Jeffrey retorts. “As far as Tim and I are concerned, it doesn’t matter which one of us got Leigh pregnant. That kid is both of ours. We’ll both be its fathers.”

I smile. I know we’d always talked ‘bout settling down, getting married, and having kids, but that was before the world ended. Plus, we never had the chance to discuss what we’d actually do if we had kids. At least…as far which one would want to be the father or how we’d handle it. 

It makes my heart swell with love to know that my husbands are both so accepting of the fact that I’m pregnant. And, that it doesn’t really matter to either of ‘em when it comes to which one of ‘em knocked me up.

“Leigh?”

I look up at Negan. “Hmmm?”

He chuckles. “I was just askin’ if I could um … shit … you know … um …”

“Just spit it out, Tank.” I tease.

He blushes slightly. “Can I touch your belly?”

He sounds so nervous to ask me that. I smile and nod. His face lights up as he slowly reaches a hand out to touch my tummy. His hand pretty much covers my entire lower stomach. Negan bites his lip, as he gets lost in his thoughts. A look of sadness fills his eyes. 

I know that look. It’s one of loss. I gently place my hand over his. He looks up at me with tear-filled eyes.

“This kid’s gonna be loved every single day.” He mumbles, his voice cracking slightly. “They’re gonna be ok.”

“Of course they are. They have two lovin’ fathers, a lovin’ mum, a lovin’ uncle, and a lovin’ aunt.” I reply, softly.

He nods. He suddenly turns his head, but not before I catch a tear rolling down his cheek. He gets up and excuses himself from the room. I look at my husbands, who both look confused.

“I’ll be right back.” I say.

They nod and Alyss shifts, leaning off me. I get up and head after Negan. I find him in his room. He’s curled up in the corner, holding Lucille softly, along with something else. I make my way over to him and sit down beside him. I lay my head on his shoulder, just being there for him as he cries. 

I realize that the something in his hand is a worn-out photograph. Looking at it, I realize it’s an ultrasound. My heart breaks as I realize what this means. I wrap my arms ‘round my very broken hearted brother-in-law. His sobs get louder as I hold onto him.

I don’t say a word, but just comfort him as he mourns the loss of his unborn child. I know the kid was unborn ‘cause Negan has the ultrasound picture. If the kid had been born, then Negan would most likely have an actual photo.

“He’d be three now.” He mumbles. “We had everything picked out. Colors. A name. Clothes. Furniture. Everything. I even picked up this bat for him the day we found out we were havin’ a boy.”

He runs his fingers up and down the handle of Lucille. The meaning of how much the barbed wire baseball bat means to him hits me like a freight train. It’s not just some bat with a name. The bat’s named after his late wife who meant the world to him, and whom he misses dearly every single day. 

It represents the life he could’ve had with his son. It’s all he has left of his own family from before, aside from Jeffrey. I tighten my arms ‘round him, but don’t say anything.

He continues talking, quietly. “We lost him in an accident. I was late comin’ home from the school one day. Lucy…she’d tried callin’ me, but I didn’t answer ‘cause I was busy. I should’ve answered that damn phone call. I figured I’d just surprise her when I got home. I got to the house right as my phone started ringing. I didn’t recognize the number, but I just had this feeling that I had to answer it.

He pauses. “It was the hospital, calling me since I was listed as Lucille’s emergency contact, and she was mine. They told me she was there and asked me to come immediately. I turned the car ‘round and sped to the hospital. I don’t think I’ve ever driven that fast. By the time I’d gotten there, my baby boy…he was already gone. I didn’t even get the chance to hold him in my arms.

His voice cracks. “Apparently Lucy had fallen, gettin’ outta the shower. The force from the fall killed him. We found out two weeks later, just after we’d buried our son, that Lucille had cancer and was only given nine months to live. In less than a year, I lost my son, my wife, and the fuckin’ world ended.”

My heart breaks. He lost everything that mattered to him. He lifts the photo up so I can see it better.

“He had my nose and her eyes. I know you can’t really tell from this photo, but I’m tellin’ you, Half Pint, he did. He was gonna be so fuckin’ cute. I just knew it.” He says, proudly.

I lift my head to look at him. He glances down at me. The tears have stopped, but his cheeks are still wet. I cup his cheek.

“I’m so sorry, Negan. I can’t even imagine the pain you felt, still feel even, from losing ‘em both. I know you’d have made a damn good father.” I assure him.

He sniffles and nods. “I’ve always wanted to be a dad. I was so fuckin’ excited when we found out that we were gonna have a kid.”

“I kinda figured based on your reaction when you found out I was pregnant. If you got that excited ‘bout bein’ an uncle, I can only imagine how happy you’d be if you found out you were gonna be a dad.”

He gives me a small smile. “I miss ‘em both. ‘Specially my little boy that I never got to meet. Is that fucked up? I miss a baby I never got to see, never got to hold. I loved him more than anything, but I never got to meet him.”

I shake my head. “Honey – ah ah. Don’t look at me like that. You’re family, which means you’re subjected to a few sweet terms of endearment. And you know that I mean it in a platonic, family way. Not the way in which I refer to my husbands when I call ‘em ‘honey’.”

Negan chuckles. “Yes, ma’am. Continue.”

“Thank you. Now, as I was saying, honey, it’s not fucked up to miss your unborn child. It’s not fucked up to love him. Even though you never got to see him, hold him, or meet him, he was still your child. I love my unborn child that I just found out ‘bout this mornin’. Once you find out that you’re gonna be a parent, it’s like there’s this part of you that just fills with love for this little human being. It’s like your heart gets filled with something that you didn’t realize you were missing. You know?”

He nods. “I do know. When Lucille told me that she was pregnant, I felt like I’d finally done something right in my life. Like everything was gonna be alright. Like, my life was complete. I had something to look forward to every day. Somethin’ that made me want to keep on living. To be a better person, husband, and hopefully father.”

“Exactly. It’s just part of being a parent. And, quite frankly if it’s fucked up to love and miss your unborn child, then I’m perfectly ok with being fucked up.”

He lets out a quiet laugh. “Me too, Half Pint. Me too.”

I shift so that I can hug my brother-in-law better. He gently sets Lucille and the ultrasound photo down on the ground beside him before wrapping his arms ‘round me.

“Thank you, Leigh. This means a lot to me. I’m sorry if I put a damper on your announcement.” He apologizes.

I shake my head and tighten my arms ‘round him. “Non-fuckin’-sense, Negan. You don’t have to apologize, ok? ‘Cause you didn’t do a damned thing wrong. You were hit with the sudden emotions of mournin’ your son and wife. I get it. Or at least, I can kinda understand it since I’ve never gone through that myself. There’s no need to apologize. ‘Sides, the boys kinda already celebrated the announcement before you walked in. So, you don’t have to apologize. Ok?”

He nods. “Yes, ma’am.”

“As for you thankin’ me, brother, you don’t have to. You’re my family. You might be a stubborn, brutal asshole at times, but when it’s just you and me, or you, me, the boys, or you, me, and Alyss hangin’ out, you’re a total sweetheart. You’re human. You’re allowed to feel emotions, and everyone deserves someone that they can turn to and trust. I’m just glad that I can be that person for you.”

“Me too. I’m glad my brother met you. You’re too sweet, even when you have to beat someone to death, you still have your reasons, and you’re respectable. Plus, now that you’re married to my brother, that means you’re my sister-in-law, and I’m grateful for that.”

He tightens his arms ‘round me.

“I love you like the older brother I never had.” I tell him.

He chuckles. “And I love you like the little sister I never had.”

I smile. “What do you say we head back to the rest of the family? I think Angel should be getting back from her class here soon.”

“Angel! I gotta go see my sweet little niece!”

I chuckle and pull away from Negan. He stands up before reaching down to pick up the photo and Lucille. He walks over to his desk, tucking the photo away, and placing Lucille in the chair by his desk. I stand up and make my way to the door once I know Negan’s ready to follow me.

Chapter 21: Bad At Love

Notes:

Warning(s): Explicit Language. Slight Angst. Slight Fluff. Slight implications of past domestic abuse and hurt.

Chapter Text

“Kid…I gotta talk to you.”

I look up at Alyss. I close my book, and pat the side of the bed, motioning for her to come sit beside me. She does. We both lean back against the pillows propped against the headboard.

“What’s up, bud?” I ask.

She takes a deep breath. “It’s Negan.”

I turn my head and look at her, a questioning look on my face.

“What ‘bout him?” I ask.

“He told me he got rid of the wives.” She says.

I grin. “He did?”

“Mmhhmm. Told me he got rid of ‘em right before he went out on the run today. Said he didn’t wanna pressure me into anythin’, but that he just wanted me to know he wasn’t with ‘em.”

Negan really is trying to do right by her. I know she means a lot to him, and that he’s taking a big chance putting himself out there. I know he’s scared to love again after Lucille.

“I’d say it’s ‘bout damn fuckin’ time he did. You know he ain’t been with any of ‘em for goin’ on three and a half months now. Not since we found you out there.” I say.

Alyss turns her head to look at me. I stretch my legs out in front of me, and place a hand on my belly. I’m starting to really show now.

“He hasn’t? But I heard the rumors that he was still fuckin’ ‘em on a daily basis.” My best friend says, quietly.

I shake my head. “He hasn’t. Most nights, he and I hang out and play cards. He’ll drink a glass or two of scotch, and I’ll have some lemonade since I can’t drink anymore. On the nights that we don’t do that, he’s either hangin’ out with Tim, Jeffrey, or Angel. He hasn’t been with the wives at all.”

“Why not?”

I take a deep breath in. “He loves you, Alyss. I know he’s got a fucked up way of showin’ it, but he really does. After the first time y’all met, and you flat out told him you wouldn’t be just ‘nother wife, he stopped fooling ‘round with ‘em. To him, you are more than just one of the wives. You’re the one he wants to be with.”

“You really think so?”

“I know so. The big man told me himself.”

“He did?”

I nod. “He did. Actually got my permission first before he even thought ‘bout courtin’ you.”

She chuckles. “I can’t see him askin’ anyone permission for anythin’.”

I laugh. “I know it’s hard to believe, but he did. He knows how much you mean to me, and he wanted to make sure I’d approve before he tried anythin’.”

“So…I take it you gave him the a-okay?”

I grin, nodding. “Hell fuckin’ yeah I did. I know him, and I know you. I know how much you mean to him, and how much he means to you. Regardless of how much you try to deny it.”

“Hey! I don’t deny it that much. He knows I find him attractive, and damn. He is fine with a capital F. I wouldn’t mind bein’ with him…but what if he gets tired of me after a while and finds someone else?”

I shake my head. “He won’t. Trust me. He loves you. He’d do anythin’ for you. He’s puttin’ himself out there, and takin’ a big chance. He’s bad at love, but I know his intentions with you are true, good, and honest. Plus, I might have threatened to chop his dick off and make him regret everythin’ if he ever so much as thought ‘bout hurtin’ you in any way what-so-ever.”

Alyss full out laughs. “I love you, Leigh. You know that, right?”

I nod, grinning. “Love you too, Alyss.”

“You’re so little that it’s hard to believe that you’d actually be able to inflict any kind of pain on anyone. Much less Negan.”

“Hey! I might be tiny, but we both know I can hold my own.”

“Believe me. I know. You’re a little ball of spitfire. I’ve seen you beat someone up.”

“And then there was that asshole that hurt the boys.”

“Fuck. Yeah. Shit. You really messed him up.”

“Damn straight I did. No one hurts my family and gets away with it.”

My best friend nods. “I know. So…you think I should give Negan a chance?”

“What do you want to do?”

I look at her. She bites her lip, sighing. She looks at me.

“I want to give him a chance. I mean…we both know he’s my type. Older. Hella fuckin’ attractive. Got that facial hair. That badass personality, but secretly a sweetheart. But…I’m also scared. I don’t want to get hurt. Not after last time.” She says, quietly.

I nod and lay my head on her shoulder. “I know, bud. I know. Trust me. Negan would never do that to you. He’s not that kind of man. Yes, he’s an asshole, but he’s not that much of a monster. There’s still good in him.”

I feel her rest her head against mine. “I know…”

Neither of us say anything for a while. I know Alyss is thinking ‘bout this, ‘bout giving Negan a chance, ‘bout taking a leap of faith.

“Ok. I’ll give him a chance. But…if he fucks up, even just once, that’s it. I can’t let myself get hurt again.” She says after a while.

“I don’t blame you. And, if he does hurt you, he knows what to expect from me.” I say.

She chuckles. “You’re right ‘bout that.”

I laugh. “Mmhhmm. Also…just be patient with him. Ok? After he lost his wife, he closed himself off from emotions so it might be hard for him to express himself sometimes, or he might epically fail at showing you how much he loves you. But, I can guarantee that he does love you, Alyss.”

“I’m fallin’ for him too.”

Chapter 22: Best of Intentions

Notes:

Warning(s): Explicit Language.Fluff - Negan’s being a soft boy! Slight angst/sadness that’s laced with a happy undertone - Negan mentioning what he did when Lucille was pregnant.

Author’s Note(s): This chapter is a short update, only a little over 1,000 words, but it’s super cute, and we get to see a really soft side to Negan and what he’s really to do to get the girl he loves.

Chapter Text

I stop as I hear someone singing. I walk closer to the sound coming from Negan’s office. I knock on the open door before stepping in. Negan’s sitting on the edge of his desk, looking over a piece of paper. He looks up to see me walking closer. 

He flashes me a smirk, but I see the emotions in his eyes. He seems slightly embarrassed, and nervous. I gesture to his leather chair by the desk.

“Mind if I sit?” I ask.

He shakes his head. “Go ahead. ‘Sides you need to be sittin’ down any fuckin’ way. That kid looks like its ready to come out soon.”

I laugh. “I’ve still got another three months, asshole.”

He chuckles. “I’m just sayin’.”

I flip him off as I settle down into the chair. It feels good to be sitting. For all of Negan’s teasing, he’s right. My belly has gotten a lot bigger in the last month. You’d think I was having four kids with how big it is. I place my hand on the crest of my swollen tummy and look up at my brother-in-law.

“What are you up to?” I ask.

He shrugs. “Just practicin’.”

“For what?”

“The talent show tonight.”

“You’re gonna be a part of it?”

He nods. “Promise you can keep a secret?”

I grin and nod. “Of course.”

“I found out Alyss’ favorite song last month, and I wanted to do somethin’ special for her. So…as a way to keep my plan under wraps, I came up with the idea of a talent show. It gives the people a break from day-to-day life, somethin’ to look forward to, and it gives me a chance to woo Alyss.”

I giggle. “That’s adorable. So…you’re gonna sing her favorite song for her?”

He nods, sheepishly. “That’s my plan. You’ll help me make sure she’s there tonight?”

I grin. “Fuck yeah!”

He laughs. “I knew I could count on you.”

I nod. “What else are best friends for?”

He smirks. “You’re right. Now…can I ask you somethin’?”

I nod. “Of course.”

“Have you felt the youngin kick yet?” He jerks his chin towards my belly.

I go to answer that I haven’t yet when I feel a sharp pain in my side. I gasp and bend over. I close my eyes as I take a deep breath. I feel hands on my knees.

“Leigh? What’s wrong?” Negan asks, worriedly.

“There was a sharp pain in my side right you asked that.” I reply right before I feel it again.

One of Negan’s hands come to rest on my belly. There’s the pain again, but this time it’s softer and on the other side of my stomach. I hear Negan let out a soft chuckle. I look up at him, glaring. Why the fuck is he laughing at me right now?

“What the fuck, Negan? What’s so fuckin’ funny?” I demand as another soft flick against my tummy occurs.

“I take it then that your answer to my question ‘bout feelin’ the baby kick was a ‘no’?” He asks.

“How’d you know?”

He gives me a soft smile. “Because…Half Pint, your kid just kicked the shit outta you.”

“Do what?”

There’s another flick, harder this time, on the right side of my stomach. Negan chuckles.

“That’s your kid, kicking you.” He says.

“How do you know?” I ask.

“My son used to kick the shit outta Lucille when she was ‘round five and a half, six months along. This is what it felt like.”

There’s another flick on the left side now. I smile. There’s nothing to worry ‘bout, then, if it’s just my kid kicking me.

“Although…are you sure you’re only havin’ one little munchkin?” Negan asks, looking up at me, curiously.

“As far as I know. Why?” I ask.

“Just wondering. When Lucille was pregnant, our little boy would mainly stick to one side when he was kicking, or we’d feel him move ‘round ‘fore he kicked the other side. With you, though…one second, there’s a kick on this side and then a second later, there’s a kick on the other side, but there’s no movement to show that your kid is movin’ back and forth to kick both your sides.”

“You think I might be havin’ twins or somethin’?”

“It’d make sense. It’d explain why you’re getting kicked on both sides. And, why your stomach’s so big. And, I mean that in the nicest way possible, Leigh. I’m not sayin’ you’re fat, ‘cause you’re not, so get that look off your face right now. What I am sayin’ is that it’d make sense as to why you look like you’re further along than you are.”

I nod. I wish I knew how many kids I was having, but since we’re in the middle of the zombie apocalypse, it’s kinda hard to know ‘cause we don’t have the medical equipment needed to find out. Thinking ‘bout Negan’s words, he makes a valid point. 

I could very well be having twins and just not know for sure. I don’t know what Tim and Jeffrey would say if we have more than one kid.

“Half Pint?” I hear Negan ask.

“Hmm?” I respond.

“You ok?”

I nod. “Just thinkin’. What if I am actually havin’ twins? We’re only prepped to have one kid. What if Tim and Jeffrey don’t want two kids?”

“Hey. Shh. It’s gonna be ok. We’ve got an extra supply of baby stuff locked up in storage. I made my men get at least triple of whatever y’all wanted and needed. It’s better to be prepared. I learned that with Lucille and my son. As for your husbands…don’t worry. They might be shocked at first, but I can guaran-fuckin’-tee you that they’ll both be over the moon. I know Jeffrey’s always wanted a bunch of kids since we were little.”

“Really?”

“Mmhhmm. When we were teenagers, he’d help with the Big Brother program, and he’d always have like two kids under his wing all the time. He told me that from helping out with those kids, that he knew he always wanted to have at least two. Then, he became a teacher so he could help kids too.”

I smile. “That’s adorable.”

Negan chuckles. “Yea. It was.”

I give my brother-in-law as big of a hug as can with my belly getting’ in the way. He hugs me back.

“So…you still up for helpin’ me make sure Alyss is at the talent show tonight?” He asks after our hug.

I nod. “I got you covered, Tank.”

Chapter 23: Leave Her, Johnny

Notes:

Warning(s): Explicit Language.Fluff - Negan’s being a soft boy! Slight angst. Use of puns - sorry not sorry. Wedding bells!

Author’s Note(s): Fun fact: I am actually a three timed ordained minister, and if the zombie apocalypse ever actually happens, and I somehow survive to officiate a wedding, you can guar-fuckin’-tee that I’ll be saying “By the state of (whatever state it is), and the end of the world, I now pronounce you man and wife (or wife and wife or man and man).” But, I will be saying that. XD

Chapter Text

“Kiddo…I’m gonna head back to my room. I’m exhausted.”

I look at Alyss. “No. Please don’t leave yet. Stay just a few minutes longer?”

She sighs. “Fine. But, you owe me a candy bar.”

I smile. “Deal!”

I know she’s tired. I can tell by her facial expression and her voice. Negan hasn’t participated in the talent show yet, and I know he wants her there. He’s doing this for her, but she doesn’t know it yet. Alyss lets out a quiet chuckle. The crowd cheers as the last performer steps off the makeshift stage.

“Alright, y’all. Now, for our next and final act of the evening, we have the one and only, boss man!” Simon says.

The crowd cheers slightly as Negan steps up onto the stage. To the rest of the people, he looks calm, cool, and collected. To me, I can tell that he’s nervous as shit. His eyes scan the crowd. He stops looking once his eyes land on Alyss and I. 

A big smile spreads across his face.

“Alright. So, I’m gonna be singin’ a song. This goes out a very special person, and you know who you are.” Negan says.

There’s hushed whispers amongst the crowd as Negan gets situated. He positions the microphone in front of him. Alyss is now sitting straight up, starring at the stage.

“What the fuck?” She whispers as the beat of the song starts up.

Negan starts singing my best friend’s favorite song. “I thought I heard the Old Man say:

“Leave her, Johnny, leave her.”

Tomorrow you will get your pay

And it’s time for us to leave her

 

Leave her, Johnny, leave her!

Oh, leave her, Johnny, leave her!

For the voyage is long and the winds don’t blow

And it’s time for us to leave her

 

Oh, the wind was foul and the sea ran high

“Leave her, Johnny, leave her!”

She shipped it green and none went by

And it’s time for us to leave her

 

Leave her, Johnny, leave her!

Oh, leave her, Johnny, leave her!

For the voyage is long and the winds don’t blow

And it’s time for us to leave her

 

I hate to sail on this rotten tub

“Leave her, Johnny, leave her!”

No grog allowed and rotten grub

And it’s time for us to leave her

 

Leave her, Johnny, leave her!

Oh, leave her, Johnny, leave her!

For the voyage is long and the winds don’t blow

And it’s time for us to leave her

 

We swear by rote for want of more

“Leave her, Johnny, leave her!”

But now we’re through so we’ll go on shore

And it’s time for us to leave her

 

Leave her, Johnny, leave her!

Oh, leave her, Johnny, leave her!

For the voyage is long and the winds don’t blow

And it’s time for us to leave her.”

As soon as Negan finishes the song, the entire Sanctuary goes berserk, and everyone jumps to their feet, clapping and cheering. My brother-in-law did one hell of a good job singing. His low, gravelly voice sent chills down my spine. I know he put a lot of effort into the song. 

He wanted to impress Alyss and prove to her that he was serious ‘bout his feelings for her. I glance at my best friend. Her eyes are watering, and her jaw’s slack. She looks at me.

“This is why you wanted me to stay?” She asks, quietly.

I nod, grinning. She wraps her arms ‘round me and hugs me tightly. She pulls away and runs up to the stage as Negan steps off. She whispers somethin’ to Simon who looks shocked but nods. Alyss flashes Negan a smile and whispers something to him, keeping him from walking away. 

Simon takes his place in the center of the stage.

“Ok. So, we have an unexpected, and last minute, performer. Without further ado, put your hands together for Alyss!” He says, into the microphone.

Alyss moves to stand where Simon was, after taking the mic from him. She looks off to the side of the stage, and locks eyes with Negan. She only says one word, but that’s all it takes.

“Yes.”

I watch as Negan’s face breaks out into the cutest smile ever and he bounds up on the stage to stand next to her. He seems hesitant as he reaches a hand up to cup her cheek. He whispers something to her. She nods, and Negan immediately pulls her into his arms. 

The two of ‘em share a passionate kiss and I can’t help but giggle. I hear Tim and Jeffrey chuckle from beside me. The Sanctuary’s members all hoot ‘n holler. I keep my eyes on my best friend and my brother-in-law. They pull back from each other, but only slightly. 

Negan keeps both of his arms ‘round Alyss. He kisses her forehead before turning to face the crowd.

“I know I may not have won the talent show, but that’s alright. I still won. I got the girl of my dreams!” He says, happily.

The crowd cheers again. Negan motions for everyone to quiet down.

“As many of y’all know, I no longer have the wives. But, that’s ok. I’m now a one-woman man. She’s my girl. I’ve been trying to get with her since I first met her, but she kept shooting me down, havin’ her own, and damn good, reasons for doing so. So, I respected her wishes, ‘cause that’s just the gentleman I am, and decided to go old school and court her like the old days. It looks like I was successful, and I didn’t even get to the other part of my plan for today.” He says, chuckling. “So…I’m gonna do that now, even though she’s already said yes.”

Negan turns to Alyss, pulling something out of his back pocket and kneeling down in front of my best friend. I realize the thing he pulled out of his pocket is a candy bar. Not just any candy bar, though.

It’s a Mr. Goodbar, one of Alyss’ favorite candy bars.

I watch as my friend’s face shifts to one of shock.

“I wasn’t planning on asking you today, sweetheart, but I can’t pass up the opportunity. What do you say? Will you marry me? Be my only one?” Negan asks, holding the candy bar up.

I giggle. He’s being really sweet and adorable. This is a side that he doesn’t let anyone see, but he’s going out on a limb here.

“I already gave you my answer, pretty boy.” Alyss teases.

Negan chuckles. “I suppose you did, sweetheart.”

“Mmhhmm. Now…can I have my candy bar that you’re teasing me with?”

I laugh and so do several other people in the crowd, Negan included. He nods and stands up, handing the candy bar to Alyss.

“Well…there you have it, folks. My girl said yes. Now, if you’ll excuse us, we’ve got a wedding to plan.” Negan says, cheerfully.

“Wait. We’re not already married?” Alyss asks.

I chuckle. Negan looks down at her, slightly shocked, but it’s a happy shock.

“I just asked you to marry me, sweetheart. I can declare us man and wife now if you want, but I thought ‘bout giving you an actual wedding.”

Alyss tilts her head to the side as she thinks. She looks at me in the crowd, grinning. She whispers something to Negan. He looks at me too.

“Hey, Leigh. Will you come up here?” He asks into the microphone. “Tim? Jeffrey? You come on up here too?”

I think I have an idea of where this is going. Alyss is the only one who knows my secret, which really isn’t a secret. My husbands and I both stand up and make our way up to the stage. Negan holds the microphone down, away from him. He looks at me.

“You’re an ordained minister?” He asks, shocked.

I smirk. “Three timed ordained minister, thank you very much. I’m ordained through three different organizations.”

“Holy fuckin’ shit.” He chuckles.

“Leigh…do you think you could marry Negan and I real quick?” Alyss asks me.

I grin. “Of course!”

Negan smiles. “Thank you.”

I nod. Negan brings the mic back up near his mouth.

“Looks like we’re havin’ us a weddin’ tonight, folks!” He says. “A good, old fashioned weddin’, with a minister an’ all.

Everyone in the crowd cheers. I get everyone situated. Negan stands on my left, with Tim and Jeffrey behind him. Alyss is on my right.

“Tim get your ass over here and stand behind me. Please.” Alyss says. “Since Leigh’s officiating the wedding, she can’t exactly be my maid of honor.”

I laugh. She’s got a valid point. Angel comes scampering up to the stage. She looks up at Alyss.

“Can I stand next to you, Aunt Alyss?” She asks, softly.

My best friend grins. “Of course, squirt. C’mere.”

Angel grins and moves to stand beside her aunt. Tim chuckles.

“You still want me over there?” He asks.

Alyss shakes her head. “Nah. I got little squirt here.”

I smile and begin the ceremony. Within fifteen minutes, it’s time for the swapping of rings. Negan flounders for a moment. He looks down at his jacket, and pulls two loose strings from it.

He smiles sheepishly at Alyss. “I’ll get you an actual ring, sweetheart. I promise.”

She grins. “I don’t need an actual ring, pretty boy.”

He chuckles and ties the string ‘round Alyss’ ring finger on her left hand so that it’s not too tight or too lose. Alyss repeats the action on Negan’s finger. They’ve literally tied the knot.

“By the state of Virginia, and the end of the world, I now pronounce you man and wife. Negan, kiss your girl. Alyss, kiss your man.” I say, smirking.

They both chuckle, but kiss each other. After the kiss, the pair turns to face the crowd. Holding the microphone up to my mouth, I say a few words that has the crowd excited.

“I present to you, Mr. and Mrs. Negan Morgan!”

Chapter 24: Lost In This Moment

Notes:

Warning(s): Explicit Language. Fluff - Negan’s being a soft boy! Angst. Childbirth. Mentions of a lost kid.

Chapter Text

I scream out in pain and tightly squeeze Tim and Jeffrey’s hands. I hear them both grunt slightly. Tears are streaming down my face, but there’s not anything I can do ‘bout it right now. I’m in too much pain.

“C’mon. Push again, Leigh.” I hear Carson say. “You’re almost done.”

I yell out again as I do. The pain is unbearable. I feel a wet pop between my legs and a moment later hear a tiny wail. I relax slightly once I hear the noise. My brief moment of relaxing is over as quickly as it started. I feel the immense need to push again, and I do, screaming in pain again.

“Doc? What’s wrong?” Jeffrey asks.

“Nothing. Leigh, I need you to push again.” Carson says.

I do. He has me push eight more times before I feel another wet pop between my legs. I hear another wail as my head hits the pillow behind me.

“Doc?” Tim asks.

I don’t hear Carson’s response since everything goes black for me.

 


 

“How’s she doin’?” Negan asks, softly.

“She’s still out. Doc says she’ll be fine. She just needs to rest. She’ll wake up soon.” Jeffrey replies, his voice cracking.

I try to wiggle my fingers a little bit, but I’m met with some resistance that’s warm to the touch. I hear a gasp.

“Baby?” Tim asks; his voice soft and full of hesitant hope.

I groan. My entire body hurts like hell. I struggle to open my eyes, but I finally manage to do so. Thankfully, the bright lights are off. I try to look ‘round, but I can’t see much since I’m laying on my back.

“Baby. You’re awake!” Tim says, happily.

His face peers over mine, and I can tell he’s been crying. He leans down and gently kisses my forehead. He moves away for a moment and I hear quiet whispers from my left somewhere. When he’s back beside me, he’s helping me sit up a little bit. 

He props the pillows up behind my back before reaching over to grab something. He holds a cup with a straw near my lips. I eagerly drink the liquid, realizing it’s water. Since it’s coming through a straw, I have to drink it slowly. Regardless, it feels really good going down my throat.

“Thank you.” I croak out.

He just nods and kisses my forehead again before setting the cup down again.

“Doll?” I hear Jeffrey ask.

I turn my head slightly and look to my left. Jeffrey’s sitting on the edge of the bed, holding two blanket-wrapped bundles. I give him a small smile.

“Hi, honey.” I murmur.

His bottom lip quivers. “Hey, sweetheart.”

He moves to sit next to me. That’s when I realize that I’m laying in my bed. The bed I share with my loving husbands. Tim’s sitting on my right side, facing me, with one hand clutching mine. Jeffrey sits on my left side, facing me. Tim reaches over and gets one of the bundles from Jeffrey’s arms. 

I hear a tiny wail as soon as Tim has a gentle, but secure, hold of the bundle. The wail stops once Tim has the bundle cradled in his arms, against his chest.

“Hey, darlin’. We’ve got two people who’d loved to meet you.” Tim says.

“Two?” I ask, slightly confused.

He grins. “Yes, darlin’. Two. You gave us twins.”

“Negan was right.”

“What do you mean?”

“The day I felt the baby – well, babies – kick for the first time, Negan was there ‘cause it was shortly before the talent show. He felt ‘em kick, and mentioned that he thought I was carrying twins.”

“Why? How did he know?”

“He explained that when he felt his son kick when Lucille was pregnant, that it would almost always be on one side of her stomach, and they’d feel the baby move before he kicked on the other side. When I got kicked, it came from both sides, and there wasn’t any obvious movement to suggest the baby had moved ‘round in my tummy to kick the other side so quickly.”

“Negan was gonna be a father?” Jeffrey asks, quietly, and clearly shocked.

“I was. Yes.” Negan says.

I jump slightly and groan from the pain that jolts through my body. I look over to see my brother-in-law standing in the doorway. For once, I can’t tell what his emotions are. I have no idea if he’s mad at me for something or not. I hope he’s not mad at me for telling Jeffrey and Tim ‘bout his unborn son; I thought they already knew. 

He walks closer to the bed, and sits right beside me, in front of Jeffrey.

“I’m sorry, Negan. I thought they knew. I wouldn’t have said anything if I knew that they didn’t.” I apologize.

“Shhh. It’s ok, Half Pint.” He soothes, gently wrapping his arm ‘round me. “It’s ok. I should’ve told ‘em. You did nothing wrong.”

I nod my head against his shoulder. At least he’s not pissed off at me.

“I was gonna have a little boy. But, there was an accident and we lost him. Then, Lucille got cancer, and I lost her too. And then the world ended.” Negan says, softly, and I realize he’s addressing his brother and brother-in-law.

“I’m so sorry, brother. I never knew.” Jeffrey says.

“Lucy and I wanted to wait to say somethin’ till she was further along. In case somethin’ happened to our little boy. The day we were gonna call you was the day we lost him. I couldn’t bring myself to pick up the phone and call. Two weeks later, she was diagnosed with the cancer. Months later, she passed away. That day, the apocalypse hit the area. I was just too distraught and caught up in grief over losing ‘em both, I didn’t call you to tell you.”

The room’s silent for a few moments. I snuggle up to Negan’s side as much as I can as a way to comfort him. He just tightens his arm ‘round me, being careful not to hurt me.

“So…can I see my niece and nephew?” He asks after several minutes.

“Niece and nephew?” I ask.

Jeffrey chuckles. “Yes, baby. We have a little girl and a little boy.”

I smile. Jeffrey leans forward to hand me the baby in his arms. I realize it’s a little girl. My little girl. I hold her close to me as I look down at her. She’s so precious. So perfect. She has her father’s nose and my eyes. She looks more like Tim than she does Jeffrey. 

I brush her ginger-colored curls back from her forehead and smile. She’s got her little hand curled up into a tiny fist, resting against her cheek, and her eyes are closed. A tear rolls down my cheek as I look at my baby girl. I look up when I feel the bed move slightly. 

Tim’s leaning forward to hand me the baby in his arms. I cradle him in my other arm. I look down at my son. He’s absolutely precious. He looks more like Jeffrey with tanner skin than his sister, and a mop of black curls on his head. I feel another tear roll down my cheek.

I’ve got my babies in my arms, my husbands sitting beside me, and my brother-in-law next to me. I get lost in this moment of having my family so close to me. Everything else seems to slip away. I forget ‘bout the pain I’m in, the fact that there’s dead’uns walkin’ ‘round outside, and that the world’s already ended. 

My world is right here, and it’s just beginning.

“Hey, Half Pint. Can I see one of the munchkins?” Negan asks softly, pulling me out of my thoughts.

I nod and he reaches forward for my daughter. He cradles her tiny body in the crook of one of his big arms. She looks extra small when he’s holding her, but he’s gentle with her. Looking at him, holding his niece, I realize that he would’ve definitely made a great father. 

He just grins from ear-to-ear as he gazes down at her.

“You know…this is the first time I’ve held a baby since Cousin Johnny had his third kid when we were teenagers.” He says, glancing up to look at Jeffrey.

My husband laughs. “Has it really been that long? I’d’ve never known. You’re a pro when it comes to holding babies.”

Negan chuckles. “I’ll take that as a compliment?”

“It was meant as one. I might get you to teach me your ways.”

Negan smirks. “It’s gonna cost you.”

“Oh really?”

“Yep. I want to be able to see the kiddos whenever.”

Jeffrey shares a look with Tim and I, before grinning at his brother. “I think that can be arranged.”

“Unless I’m feedin’ ‘em, or they’re sleepin’, then you can always see ‘em whenever you want.” I say.

Negan grins. “Ok. That works for me. Have y’all decided on names yet?”

“We decided on a girl’s name in hopes that we got a girl. We haven’t decided on a boy’s name. Leigh said she had an idea, but wouldn’t ever say anythin’ ‘bout what it was.” Tim says.

“What’s the girl’s name?”

“Roselyn Anne Rayne Hall-Morgan.”

Negan looks down at me. “And your idea for a boy’s name?”

I hesitate. “I wanted to get your permission first.”

“If you’re gonna ask what I think you’re gonna ask, the answer’s already yes.”

I smile. I can tell he’s serious and that it’s ok with him for me to use the name I’ve thought ‘bout naming my son if I ended up having a little boy.

‘Thank you.”

He smiles. “No. Thank you.”

I look at my husbands. “I’d like our son’s name to be Samuel Dean Isaac Hall-Morgan.”

Jeffrey cocks his head and smiles. “I like it.”

Tim grins. “Me too.”

I look up at Negan. His eyes are watering.

“I fuckin’ love it.” He whispers.

I smile. “Me too.”

I look down at my son who now carries the name of his late cousin.

“Where’d you get the idea for the name for our son?” Tim asks.

“It was gonna be my son’s name.” Negan says, his voice cracking.

“Is that why you didn’t say anythin’ to us, doll?” Jeffrey asks.

I nod. “I wanted to make sure it was ok with Negan before I brought the idea up to y’all.”

Jeffrey looks at his brother. “Here, let me take Rosie.”

I smile at the nickname for our daughter. Negan reluctantly hands her to her father. I look at my husbands and they both nod. Negan goes to get up, but I place a hand on his elbow, stopping him. I hand Samuel to him. He cradles my little boy gently. 

A tear rolls down his cheek. I’ve only seen him cry once before, and that was when I found out that he was gonna be a father, but never got the chance to be one. Negan gently tugs the blanket down and rubs his thumb across his nephew’s cheek. 

The little boy’s eyes open, and Negan lets out a choked gasp. He starts freely crying now.

“He’s got mum’s eyes, Jeffrey.” He sobs, looking up at his older brother.

Jeffrey hands our little girl to her other father before he shifts and moves so that he’s sitting directly beside his twin brother, and his son. He peers over and looks at his little boy. He lets out the same strangled gasp that Negan did.

“He sure as shit does.” He agrees, quietly.

Negan lowers his head and kisses his nephew’s forehead. Jeffrey wraps his arms ‘round his brother, being mindful of the infant. I watch as the two brothers embrace one another. Tim moves so that he can sit right beside me. I snuggle up to his side. 

He holds our little girl with one arm and wraps his other one ‘round me, holding me close.

“You ok, sweetheart?” He asks.

I nod. “I’m just tired.”

“Get some sleep, babygirl. We’ve got the kids.”

I nod. “I love you.”

“And, I love you.”

I feel him press a kiss to the top of my head. My eyes drift closed.

“Tell Jeffrey I love him too.” I murmur.

“I will, darlin’.”

Chapter 25: Before You Start Your Day

Notes:

Warning(s): Explicit Language. Fluff - Negan’s being a soft boy! Angst. Mentions of infertility. Slight violence? (You’ll see what I mean at the end.) Slight time jump, but it’s explained in the story.

Chapter Text

Over the next few weeks, we settle into a rhythm. The doc still wants me on bedrest, so Tim and Jeffrey are the ones that get up in the middle of the night if one of the kids cry, or need to be changed. When they need to be fed, one of their fathers bring ‘em over to me, and I feed ‘em, burp ‘em, and just lie with ‘em.

Most nights, I fall asleep before my husbands do, with both of my kids tucked in on either side of me. Angel comes in and sits with her siblings when she doesn’t have to go to class and before bed. She’s excited to have both Rosie and Sammy in the family. 

I’ve heard stories of her running ‘round the Sanctuary, telling everyone ‘bout her baby brother and sister. Alyss stops by every day to check on me and the twins. We’ll play cards, board games, or do magic tricks. Whenever Negan gets back from a run, he’ll come back with my husbands to see the babies for a while before he and Alyss head to their room for the night.

Every morning before they head to do their stuff, Tim and Jeffrey both cuddle with me before checking on the kids and heading out. After about three weeks of bed rest, the doc finally clears me and gives me the all clear. This particular morning, I wake up before my husbands. 

I smile as I wake up cuddling the front of Tim’s body, my face tucked into his chest, with Jeffrey’s arms wrapped somewhat tightly ‘round my waist from behind. We’ve gotten to where we sleep with me in the middle, Jeffrey on the left side of the bed, and Tim on the right side. 

Some mornings I wake up facing Jeffrey with Tim behind me, other mornings are like today. The boys both say that sleeping like this makes it easier for ‘em to check on the kids. While that might be somewhat true, I know the real reason is ‘cause they both love having me in their arms as they sleep.

And, if I’m gonna be completely honest, sleeping like this makes me feel safe. I wiggle closer to Tim, which has Jeffrey grunting in his sleep and snuggling closer to me so that his chest’s still pressed to my back. I giggle before I kiss Tim’s chest, right above his heart. 

He mumbles something in his sleep and his arms tighten ‘round me. I feel a scruffy kiss against my shoulder blade, and look over at Jeffrey. He’s got his eyes barely open, and a sleepy smirk playing on his lips.

“Mornin’, doll.” He murmurs.

I giggle. “Mornin’, honey.”

His smirk gets bigger. I roll over, still staying in the arms of both my husbands, and face Jeffrey. I wiggle forward and kiss his forehead. His eyes drift close and his smirk turns into a sleepy smile.

“Go back to sleep, babe.” I whisper.

“But I like your kisses.” He replies with a big yawn.

I giggle and kiss his cheek. I decide to place a few more gentle kisses across his face – on his other cheek, his chin, and the tip of his nose. He lets out a quiet, playful growl and another yawn.

“Get some sleep.” I tell him again.

He yawns and nods his head. “Yes, ma’am.”

Just as he’s ‘bout to doze off again, I hear him mumble something. I smile as I realize what it is.

“I love you to the moon and back, sweetheart.”

“I love you too, honey. More than you’ll ever know.” I reply, even though I know he’s already back asleep.

I wiggle out of the safe embrace of my husbands and climb outta bed. I get dressed in a pair of blue jeans, one of Jeffrey’s black t-shirts, and Tim’s dark blue flannel shirt. I walk over to the basinet that has my kids in it. I look down at ‘em and smile, my heart swelling with love. 

They’re both awake, not making any noises, but rather, cuddling each other. They really are absolutely precious. I reach down and scoop Rosie up into my arms. Sammy’s bottom lip quivers, but he doesn’t make a sound. I lean down and kiss his forehead to soothe him.

He relaxes and I step away to change Rosie’s diaper. I know her name is Roselyn, but I love the nickname that Jeffrey gave her. Sammy got his nickname from Negan, and it just stuck. Once I have my little girl all cleaned up and in a new diaper and outfit, I set her back down in the basinet and pick Sammy up to repeat the process with him. 

After I’ve got him situated, I write a quick note for my husbands to read when they wake up.

My loves, I’ll be downstairs with the babies when y’all wake up. I wanna get outta the room for a bit. I love y’all so very much.

I place it by Tim’s beside table so he can see it when he wakes up. I don’t want ‘em to worry when they wake up and don’t see the twins and I in the room. I pick Rosie up, and get my kids situated in my arms. I walk outta the bedroom, and head downstairs to the dining area. 

I run into Simon on the third floor. He grins when he sees me.

“Leigh! It’s good to see you! How you feelin’?” He asks, falling into step with me.

“I’m feelin’ great. I’m glad I’m finally able to leave the room. Bein’ cooped up is not my strong suit.” I say.

He chuckles. “Well, it’s good to have you up and about. And to see the kiddos.”

I smile. “You sure do love ‘em, don’t you?”

“Yea. It’s good to have babies ‘round. Gives us hope and reminds us that there’s still good left in this fucked up world.”

“Simon! Language!” I tease. “There are little ears present.”

He laughs. “Sorry.”

I grin. “It’s ok. But, I get what you mean. Plus, they’re adorable!”

“Yea. They are.”

Simon and I joke around as we make our way down the rest of the stairs and into the dining area. He stands beside me as we wait in line to get some food. Suddenly, everyone in the room drops to their knees. Myself included, which is kind of a difficult task, considering my body is still a little sore, and I’ve got two infants in my arms. 

I hear the heavy footfall of boots as they walk closer to Simon and I.

“Shit, Half Pint. Stand up.” I hear Negan say.

I struggle to stand up, and I feel two strong hands help me up. I look up at Negan.

“You don’t have to kneel ‘round me, Half Pint. You know this.” He says, softly.

“Everyone else does.” I say.

“You’re not everyone else.”

Sammy decides to let out a wail, drawing Negan’s attention to him. I try to soothe my son, but it’s to no avail. My brother-in-law smiles as he looks down at his nephew. He looks up at me.

“Besides, you’ve got the kids with you.” He says. “You don’t kneel ‘round me. Period. ‘Specially when you’ve got these two little munchkins.”

“Ok, Negan.” I reply.

“Can I hold him?” He gestures to Sammy.

I nod. Negan happily scoops his nephew up in his arms, and cradles him. Sammy quiets down immediately as he nuzzles against the leather of his uncle’s jacket. Negan lets out a chuckle.

“Boss.” Simon says from beside me.

He’s still kneeling, and so is everyone else in the room.

“Shit.” Negan says before bellowing, “As you were!”

Everyone stands up again and the bustle of the kitchen gets back to what it was before Negan walked in. Negan stays beside Simon and I in line. The person in front of me in line turns to look back at the big boss man.

“Sir. You can go ahead of me. If you’d like.” The young man says with a shaky voice.

Negan chuckles. “I know, but I don’t want to.”

The young man’s brow furrows. “Sir?”

“I don’t want to move up in line this mornin’. I’ve got a cute little man in my arms. I want to spend some time with him, so I’m gonna wait.”

The young man smiles. “Yes, sir.”

He turns around. I look up at Negan, grinning and shaking my head. He looks at me, an amused expression on his face.

“What?” He asks, grinning.

I shake my head. “Nothing. You just love your nephew.”

“Damn fuckin’ straight I fuckin’ do!”

“Negan! Language!”

“Shit!”

“Negan!”

He laughs, but looks regretful. “Sorry, Half Pint.”

“Mmhhmm. You’re not really sorry, are you?”

He shrugs. “Kind of? I know you don’t want us cussing ‘round the youngins, and I’ll respect your wishes, but eventually, they’re gonna hear me cuss.”

I laugh. “You’re right. I still accept your apology.”

He grins. “Thanks.”

I smile, shaking my head. He drops his head to look at Sammy. I look down at Rosie and notice that she’s just looking up at me. I see Negan jump slightly as he stands beside me. I look and notice that Alyss has come up behind him and wrapped her arms ‘round him. 

She rests her head against his back.

“Hey, pretty boy.” She says to him.

The smile on his face gets bigger. “Hi, sweetheart.”

She moves to stand in front of him. She smiles as soon as she sees me with Rosie in my arms. She gives me a light hug.

“Hey, kiddo.” She says.

“Hey, bud.” I reply. “Hey. Can you do me a favor?”

She nods. “Of course.”

“Will you hold Rosie for a just a sec?”

Alyss grins and happily takes my daughter. We move up in line. I stretch my arms out, and fix Tim’s flannel. I reach for my daughter, and Alyss pouts, but hands her over. I chuckle. Within a few minutes, we reach the food, and wait for our trays. 

I watch as Negan grabs a tray with one hand and keeps Sammy tucked against his chest with his other hand. I go to grab a tray, but Alyss snags it for me before I can.

“I got you, kid. You just hold onto Rosie.” She says.

I smile. “Thanks, bud.”

She grins and nods as she grabs a tray for herself. Once Simon has a tray, we all go sit at the table in the back corner of the dining area. Negan likes to sit back here so he can keep an eye on things while he eats. Alyss sits beside him, and Simon sits beside me across from my best friend and brother-in-law. 

Negan cradles Sammy with his left arm as he eats with his right hand. He makes it seem like it’s a natural thing for him to do. I struggle a bit at first, but quickly get the hang of eating with one hand and holding my daughter with the other. Alyss finishes eating before I do, and reaches for Rosie.

Negan glances down at his wife as she cradles my daughter, with a cute, dimpled smile on his face. He lifts his gaze and glances at me. I give him a smile in return. I can tell he’s happy. This is as close to having kids as he’s gonna get. I dunno if Alyss has told him, but she can’t have kids. 

I know Negan wants kids of his own, ‘specially after he was gonna once be a father. Since I know what I know ‘bout the two of ‘em, I don’t have an issue letting ‘em get close to my kids. ‘Sides, they’re family. Negan looks above my shoulder and his grin widens.

I jump when I feel two different hands on my shoulders. My first reaction is to bring the fork in my left hand up and go to stab the hand on my right shoulder. Simon stops me before the fork can connect with flesh. I glare at him, but he shakes his head.

“It’s ok, Leigh.” He says.

“Were you ‘bout to stab me, doll?”

Chapter 26: Better Than I Used To Be

Notes:

Warning(s): Explicit Language. Fluff - Negan’s being a soft boy, along with Leigh’s husbands and friends! Negan and Simon being a wee bit of assholes. The use of puns. Angst. Mentions/implications of depression, PTSD, and anxiety. Mentions/implications of childhood trauma and abuse.

Chapter Text

I jump as I hear Jeffrey’s sleepy voice. I tilt my head back. Both of my husbands are standing behind me. It’s their hands that are on my shoulders. I relax and lower my hand with the fork still tightly grasped in it. Jeffrey looks slightly shocked.

“I’m sorry, honey. I wasn’t expectin’ it to be you. You know how I am ‘bout people touchin’ me.” I apologize.

He nods. “My bad, doll.”

He leans down and kisses my forehead. He pulls back and Tim leans in so that he can kiss my temple. I relax as he and Tim both sit down beside me.

“I’m really sorry, Jeffrey. You know I wouldn’t intentionally hurt you.” I say, looking at my husband.

“Sweetheart, it’s ok. I thought you heard us walk up. We didn’t mean to scare you.” He says.

“You ok, darlin’?” Tim asks.

I nod. “Yea. I just feel bad ‘cause I almost stabbed Jeffrey with a fork.”

“A fork covered in eggs nonetheless.” Simon pipes in, chuckling.

I glare him. “Not helpin’, Si,”

He hands his hands up in mock surrender, grinning.

“Boy, if you ain’t careful, she’ll stab you with her egg covered fork.” Negan says, grinning.

This has everyone laughing. I feel myself start to shut down. I didn’t mean to almost stab my husband in the hand with a fork. I just got scared and instinctively reacted in the only way I know how. I feel someone wrap their arms ‘round me, and I realize it’s Tim. 

He’s gotten up from his seat on the other side of Jeffrey and had Simon scoot over a bit so he could sit beside me. Tim pulls me closer to him, getting me to rest my head on his shoulder. His fingers tangle in my hair, and he rubs my head gently, trying to make me relax.

“It’s ok, baby.” He soothes.

I shake my head. It’s not ok. I almost hurt Jeffrey. I can still hear the others laughing ‘round the table.

“Y’all. Shut the fuck up.” Tim says, sternly.

Instantly, the laughter stops. They know he’s not joking anymore ‘cause he cusses. That’s something he doesn’t normally do. Tim just tightens his arms ‘round me. I feel a hand wrap ‘round mine.

“It’s ok, sweetheart.” Jeffrey says from beside me. “I know you’d never hurt me.”

“It’s not ok. I almost stabbed you.” I say, my voice starting to crack.

“It is ok. You didn’t actually stab me. ‘Sides, doll, you were just reacting based on instinct.”

I shake my head. “It’s not ok.”

“EVERYONE OUT! NOW!” Negan bellows.

Immediately the dining area clears as everyone scrambles to get out.

“Simon, go make sure that guard change happens with no hiccups.” Negan says.

“Yes, Boss.” Simon replies before getting up and leaving.

“Leigh…” I hear Alyss say.

I lift my head up off Tim’s chest and look at my friend. She’s perched on top of the table to my left, facing me. She holds her hand out towards me, waiting for me to take it. I do. She gently squeezes my hand.

“Hey. Listen, here. It’s ok. You didn’t hurt Jeffrey. He’s ok. You’re ok. Tim’s ok. I’m ok. Negan’s ok. Rosie and Sammy are ok. We’re all ok. I know you don’t believe me, but it’s true.”

I shake my head. She nods hers. I shake mine again.

“Hey. C’mon, now. Don’t do this, kiddo. Don’t shut down. You were doin’ so good. Don’t let this take you back a step or three. You and I both know you’d never intentionally hurt any of us sitting here at this table. You also know that if I could, I’d kill your asshole of a father for what he did to you. But, I don’t know where he is, so I can’t.” She says.

“I killed him.” Jeff says.

Alyss jerks her head to look at my husband. “You did?”

Jeff nods. “I did.”

“Why?”

“He shouldn’t have said the things ‘bout her that he did. The things he wanted to do to her. I didn’t appreciate it. So, I killed him. One less of a monster like him out there in this fucked up world.”

“Do you know what he did to her?”

“Most of it.”

“Did you make him pay?”

“I did.”

“How badly?”

“Almost as bad as what Leigh did to the man that hurt us.”

Alyss sighs. “I’d have done worse to her father.”

“Really?”

“Mmhhmm. He shouldn’t have done what he did to her. For as long as I’ve known her, he’s been a monster to her. And I mean an absolute monster.”

Alyss looks back at me. She gently squeezes my hand again.

“I know you’re probably tired of hearin’ us say that it’s ok, but it is. You didn’t do anythin’ wrong, kiddo. I can promise you that. I know how you are when it comes to bein’ touched unexpectedly. Si had no right to add in that comment of his, nor did Negan, and we all had no right to laugh at your expense.” She says, softly.

“I’m sorry, Half Pint.” Negan says. “I didn’t realize how bad that messed you up.”

“Negan!” Alyss jerks her head to glare at him.

“What? I didn’t.” He holds his hands up.

“You don’t say that to her.”

“Alyss. It’s fine. He’s right. I am messed up.” I mumble.

“Fuck. Leigh.” Negan sighs. “That’s not what I fuckin’ meant, and you know it. You’re not messed up. You’ve just been through some shit. I shouldn’t’ve egged Si on like I did. I didn’t think ‘bout it ‘fore I spoke. I’m sorry.”

I nod. I know he’s right. My anxiety starts to ease up a wee bit. I hate when this happens, but I’ve been dealing with this since I was ‘bout seven years old. It’s gotten worse over the last couple of years. But, thankfully, I’ve had Tim, Jeffrey, and Alyss there to help get through it. 

And, just ‘cause the world’s gone to hell doesn’t mean that my mental illnesses are just gonna go away. PTSD, anxiety and all the other fucked up shit going on in my head don’t work like that. So…I just have to work through it, and do what’s best for me when I get into situations like this.

Alyss gently squeezes my hand, dragging my attention to her.

“You good, bud?” She asks.

I shrug. “I’m better than I used to be.”

It’s true. I am. In the sense that I don’t have to go through what I went through anymore. I have a family that actually loves me. That family includes my two husbands, my kids, Alyss, and Negan.

I am better than I used to be. I’m also better than I was after I panicked and almost stabbed Jeffrey’s hand with a fork. I look at my husband.

“You’re not mad? You don’t hate me?” I ask.

He shakes his head. “I could never be mad at you, nor could I ever hate you for somethin’ like this, darlin’.”

I smile. “I love you.”

“And I fuckin’ love you too.”

He leans forward and presses his lips to my temple. Tim’s arms tighten ‘round me as he continues to hug me. Alyss slowly lets go of my hand once she knows that I’m ok for the time being. She gets up and goes back to sit beside her husband again. 

That’s when I notice that Negan is holding both of my babies. Neither of ‘em make a sound as he holds ‘em close to his chest. Angel comes runnin’ in and climbs up in Jeffrey’s lap, hugging him tightly as she looks at me I smile. I realize that in this moment, everything’s ok. 

Things aren’t the best, but they are certainly better than they used to be.  Negan hands Rosie back to me and I cradle my little girl in my arms.

Chapter 27: Younger

Notes:

Warnings: FLUFF!!!! Nostalgia of childhood things. Language. Interrupted cuddles with Negan.

Chapter Text

“Hey! Pass that over here!” Jeffrey teases.

I giggle as I turn away from him, holding the Gameboy Advance Color in my hands. He tries to reach ‘round me since he’s sitting behind me, but for once, I’m able to keep something outta his reach.

I push the buttons in a way as I get Crash Bandicoot to jump up and collect the apples. Jeffrey keeps leaning over me, and reaching for the game system. I just lean further away from him, giggling even more.

“No!” I squeal as my husband starts tickling me. “I found it, so it’s mine!”

Jeffrey chuckles. “I just wanna play it!”

“No! Maybe later! It’s my turn!”

“But…honey! I wanna play it now.”

“No!”

“What’s goin’ on in here? I swear, y’all are actin’ like little kids.” Tim says, laughing.

I giggle as I look up at my husband, who’s holding both of our kids in his arms with Angel beside him. The Gameboy makes a noise and I look back at it. I realize that Crash just died and I got sent back to the last checkpoint.

“Damn!” I say.

“Sweetheart?” Tim asks, chuckling.

I pause the game so I don’t die again and look up at my husband again.

“Hmmm?” I hum.

“What on Earth are you doin’?” He teases.

“Um…playing Crash Bandicoot…”

“On what?”

“A Gameboy Advance Color.”

His face lights up. “No way! Seriously?”

“Yes, seriously! Why you think I’ve been trying to get it from her for the last twenty minutes? But she won’t hand it over.” Jeffrey playfully pouts.

Tim sets our twins down in their playpen so they can rest. Tim hops up on the bed, on the other side of me, and tries to look at the game system in my hand. He reaches for it, but I smack his hand away too.

“Not you too! You’re supposed to be on my side, Tim!” I pout.

He chuckles. “Well, sweetheart. These came out when we were teenagers. This is what we grew up with. So…I’m with Jeffrey. I ain’t played with one in…well, shit…decades, I think?”

“Exactly! So, can we play it?” Jeffrey asks.

“In a minute! This was my childhood too. This was the only game system I had growing up. And, I saved up for months to buy it from the pawn shop.” I say. “Let me finish this level and then y’all can play it.”

“Fine.” Both my husbands agree.

Tim kisses one cheek while Jeffrey kisses the other.

“Mommy?” Angel asks.

I look up at her, smiling. “Hey, sweetheart. C’mere.”

She rushes over to me, and squeezes between Tim and I. I set the Gameboy down on the mattress for a second so I can wrap my arms ‘round my daughter. She hugs me back.

“I love you, mommy.” She murmurs.

“Awww. I love you too, baby. Did you have a good day, hangin’ out with daddy?” I ask.

She nods. “I did! Daddy even let me hold Rosie too, while we were walkin’ ‘round with Uncle Nehan!”

I smile. “That sounds like a lot of fun.”

“It was! Can I see what you’re playin’?”

I smile. “Of course!”

I move so that I’m sitting on my bed, with my husbands on either side of me, and Angel sitting in my lap as I show her how to play Crash Bandicoot. When I finally complete the level, I hand it over to Jeffrey.

When he gets it, he acts like a little boy, and dives into playing it. He plays a couple levels, before he hands it off to Tim. After Tim’s died a few times, Angel asks if she can play it.

She climbs up in her daddy’s lap and he lets her play it. I get up to get my twins and feed ‘em.

“Hey, sweetheart. How long have you been playin’ this?” Jeffrey asks as I set Rosie back down and pick Sammy up.

“Uh…all mornin’…” I answer. “Why?”

“Ummm…it just died…”

“What? Shit. Ok. I’ll see if we can scrounge up some more batteries.”

“That’d be good.”

“I’ll go ask Negan if he has any.”

“Mommy, can I go with you?” Angel asks.

“Sure, baby.”

Sammy, Angel, and I head down the hall to Negan’s room. Angel knocks on the door with her free hand, and I notice she still has the Gameboy in her other hand. The door opens after a moment to reveal Alyss.

She’s in nothin’ but one of Negan’s oversized t-shirts. I smirk.

“Are we interruptin’ anythin’?” I ask.

She laughs. “Only some cuddles with my man.”

I chuckle. “My apologies.”

“Baby? Who’s at the door?” Negan asks from inside the room.

“Leigh, Angel, and Sammy.” My best friend replies to her husband.

“Fuck. Uh…let me put some clothes on.”

I laugh. “Please do, Tank. I don’t wanna see you butt ass naked.”

Negan laughs. “Yea. I don’t want you to see me fuckin’ naked either. Jeffrey’d probably kill me.”

“Yep!”

Alyss looks at me. “Can I hold Sammy?”

“Sure.” I say, and hand my son over to his aunt.

She takes him and holds him.

“Can I get a hug too?” Angel asks.

Alyss smiles down at her. “Of course, sweetpea.”

Angel wraps her arms ‘round Alyss’ legs and hugs her. Alyss hugs her back. Negan appears ‘side Alyss a moment later, clad in a pair of grey sweatpants. His face lights up when he sees Angel.

“Munchkin!” He says, excitedly and scoops her up in his arms.

“Uncle Nehan!” She squeals and wraps her arms ‘round his neck.

He just chuckles and kisses her forehead. He carries her into his room. Alyss follows him and sits down on their bed, still holding Sammy. She pats the bed ‘side her, and looks up at me.

I sit ‘side her as Negan plops down on the other side of her.

“So…what brings you over here?” Negan asks.

“Do you have batt-trees?” Angel asks.

“Uh. I think so. Why you need ‘em, kiddo?”

She holds up the Gameboy. “It died!”

Negan looks shocked as he sees the handheld device in her hand.

“Where’d you get that?” He asks.

“Mommy was playin’ it earlier. Then my daddies both played it. It died when I was playin’ it.” Angel says, sadly.

“Well…that sucks. Let me check to see if I have some batteries, yeah?”

“Yay!”

Negan chuckles as he kisses her forehead before he sets his niece off to the side and stands up.

“Hey, Leigh. Join me over here for a sec?” He asks as he walks over to his desk.

I get up and make my way over to him. As I stand beside him, he starts opening the drawers and shifting through ‘em. He glances at me.

“Where the hell did you find the Gameboy?” He asks, excitement and curiosity lacing his voice.

I chuckle. “Really? That’s what you wanted to talk ‘bout? I found it down in the commissary. It was hidden under some clothes and stuff. The teenager behind the table had no idea what it was, so he just let me have it. Speakin’ of which, I’m not on the points system anymore?”

My brother-in-law blushes. “No. You’re not. You’re my family. None of y’all are on the points system. Haven’t been since you got here. I’m surprised you’re just now noticin’.”

I give him a look. “Negan. I thought we talked ‘bout this.”

“You talked. I listened. But, I still had the final say.” He looks at me. “I couldn’t have y’all on the points system ‘cause I didn’t wanna worry ‘bout y’all not havin’ ‘nough and starvin’ or somethin’.”

I wrap my arms ‘round Negan, forcing him to stop in his search for batteries. He turns towards me and wraps his arms ‘round me.

“You ok, Half Pint?” He asks, quietly.

I nod. “You’re just a great person. And you do care.”

“Of course I care. ‘Specially ‘bout y’all. I’d do anythin’ for y’all. Y’all are my family and all I have left that means anythin’ to me.”

“I love you too, Negan.”

He chuckle. “I’m glad you caught that from what I said.”

I giggle. “Of course I did.”

He pulls back and goes to search for batteries. He finds some AA and AAA batteries in the top right drawer of his desk. He holds ‘em up excitedly.

“So…since I have batteries…does this mean that I can play the Gameboy?” He asks, excitedly.

I laugh. “I guess.”

“Fuck yeah! That shit was my jam when Jeffrey and I were teenagers.”

“That’s what he and Tim both said too.”

Negan chuckles. “Alright. Let’s go get these in there so little Angel can know the joys of our childhood long gone!”

I laugh. We make our way back over to his bed. Angel is snuggled up to Alyss’ side, who’s still holding little Sammy in her arms. Negan plops down behind his wife, and stretches one leg out on the side that Angel’s not snuggled up to.

He does tickle his niece and she squirms as she giggles.

“Stop it, Uncle Nehan! That tickles!” She squeals.

Negan chuckles. “That’s probably ‘cause I am ticklin’ you, kiddo!”

She wiggles away from her uncle’s tickling, and away from Alyss’ side. She clings to me.

“Save me, mommy!” She pleads, laughing.

I smile. “Ok. Ok. I’ll save you. From Uncle Negan.”

I start tickling her in turn and she just squirms in my lap.

“Mommy! You said you’d save me.” She squeals with laughter.

I laugh. “Yea. From your uncle. Not from me.”

She just keeps giggling as I tickle her. I notice that while I have her distracted, Negan changes the batteries in the Gameboy. When he completes that task, he starts playing it.

His face lights up, and he looks so fuckin’ happy. He even sticks his tongue out as he concentrates on the game. I stop tickling Angel and she goes back to Negan, and snuggles up to him, watching as he plays.

“Uncle Nehan. It’s my turn!” She says.

He chuckles. “Give me just a sec, sweetie. Let me finish this real quick.”

A moment later, Negan cheers to himself as he accomplishes whatever he was trying to. He hands the game system to his niece before he turns to his wife and kisses her.

“I beat the level!” He says excitedly after he pulls back from kissing Alyss.

She and I both laugh.