Actions

Work Header

Head over healing

Summary:

“Alright, Miss Beckendale, I think I speak on behalf of all of us when I say we are truly happy you have accepted our offer.” The man in the white collar said from behind his large desk.

“Thank you, sir. The pleasure is all mine.”

With that, Keira’s future was sealed – or at least, for the next couple of years. But she knew, that if she were to be successful, this would change her life and hopefully those of others, too.

--

Keira Beckendale works to create medicine from V. In doing so she comes into contact with Eric Northman, the sponsor for her research. He is charmed by her, but can he protect her from the dangers that come from her research? And what of the secret Keira has kept hidden, could that alienate him forever?

--
ON HIATUS. I'm so sorry, RL got in the way and I'm now just not able to work on this fic any more.

Notes:

I've only seen True Blood once, and only the first few seasons. I thought the characters were interesting, but I don't really know enough to stick to all the details of canon, so be warned ;) This takes place from when Sookie is gone after season 3, and deviates from canon from there.

No beta, so any (spelling) mistakes are mine. Please let me know what you think, constructive criticism is welcome!

Disclaimer: no profit is being made from this story, all the rights to characters etc. of True Blood goes to the original owners.

Chapter Text

“Alright, Miss Beckendale, I think I speak on behalf of all of us when I say we are truly happy you have accepted our offer.” The man in the white collar said from behind his large desk.

“Thank you, sir. The pleasure is all mine.”

With that, Keira’s future was sealed – or at least, for the next couple of years. But she knew, that if she were to be successful, this would change her life and hopefully those of others, too.

She had passed the admission requirements for the pharmacy doctoral programme over the summer, and had been offered a chance do paid research the possibilities of vampire blood in medicine. She had written her master’s thesis at Stanford on the healing properties of vampire blood, theorising this could be optimised by genetic modification and combination with conventional medicine. This had attracted the attention of pharmaceutical company Pfizer, who offered her big bucks to put her theories into practice, and earn a PhD at the same time.

The downside was that not everybody was happy with her research. Both vampire communities and religious groups had expressed their discontent on putting vampire blood in medicine, albeit for different reasons. That was why the research lab was moved to Shreveport two years ago: the local “vampire sheriff” had given permission to conduct the research in his area, and promised the company protection again angry vampires in his territory. She just had to hope he was good on his word, as the previous research lab in Seattle had been burned down one night. It was no wonder her job was a high paid one – not only was she the best in her field, the risk was considerable and there were not many other takers.

--

The next Friday she drove into Shreveport in the late afternoon. She was only starting her job on Tuesday, as Monday was the Fourth of July, but wanted to familiarise herself with the town and look for an apartment. She checked into a quiet hotel at the edge of town and decided to drive into the centre of town for a bite to eat and some sightseeing. After a while she found the cutest Thai restaurant and sat down to order dinner. The owners were friendly, and gave several tips on agencies letting apartments. She wandered around some more and went back to the hotel shortly before sunset.

Keira had heard plenty of stories about vampires targeting tourists especially, and wanted to take no chances. She figured it would be safe – or at least safer – to only go out later at night after she found an apartment and settled in the city some more. Once inside her room she saw she had missed a phone call from her dad just a couple of minutes ago. She rang him back immediately, and to her great surprise he picked up.

“Hey daddy.”

“Hello honey. How’s Shreveport?” She could hear tinkering and chatting in the background, and guessed he was still in his office.

“Very nice. Just stayed downtown to do some sightseeing today, I’ll start looking for an apartment tomorrow.”

“Good. Oh, congratulations on your acceptance of the job. I’m really sorry I couldn’t make it to celebrate.”

“Thanks. How are you?” She hadn’t even expected him to come.

“Fine, busy with the merger. Oh, I have to go, have to make a speech. Bye honey!” And with that he hung up before she even had the chance to say goodbye. She could not help but feel a sting of disappointment, even though she knew not to expect any different. While she did not doubt her father loved her and her sister, he just never took the time to show it. Perhaps that was why she was so reluctant to start real life. What if she turned out like her father? Not that there was a large chance of that happening seeing as how she did not plan on having any kids, but still.

She shook the thought away, and headed for the shower.

--

Tuesday she rose early, a little nervous for her first day of work. She changed outfits three times, before settling on black trousers with a cream blouse and black high heals. She had not managed to find an apartment over the weekend despite the helpful tips from several friendly locals. At a great barbeque party yesterday for the Fourth of July at the Thai place she had asked almost everybody there if they knew something – apparently there was a waiting list of half a year for most apartments, so it took her forty five minutes to get from the hotel to the research lab.

Her employer, Dr. Michaelson – “call me André” – was kind and took his time showing her around the building. It was clear he was passionate about his job, and took pride in it. She liked that: a man who was not just here for the money but because he believed it was an area worth investigating in. She loved her new workplace, and look a liking to her co-workers, too. Keira was to share a lab with Dr. Hanny Carter, a petite microbiologist from San Fransisco, Dr. Aiguo Xi, a handsome pharmacist from Jiujiang, and André himself. They would be the team to experiment with vampire blood.

“Of course, there are some specific regulations concerning the vampire blood.” André explained. “I do not have to tell you that dealing or using V is strictly prohibited, and that it is at all times prohibited to take the blood outside of the lab. This is because it is valuable and expensive, but also for your own safety. There have been incidents in the past where employees smuggled it out of the lab to sell, and the consequences were dire, both for our project as for the persons involved. Therefore we have a strict security policy: no bags in the lab, camera’s in every room and strict updating of the logs. Any violations of these rules will result in immediate termination of your contract and we will hand anybody caught doing V over to the proper authorities.”

Keira swallowed and nodded. André saw her nervous look and smiled. “Don’t worry, it’s just a precautionary talk. I do think your research shows great potential, you’re going to fit right in. Do you have any other questions?”

She did, actually. “I was wondering how the lab acquired the vampire blood. I cannot imagine too many vampires are happy to part with theirs.” This had kept her busy ever since she had gotten the offer for the position.

“Actually, they do. The vampire sheriff of this area has been very cooperative and provides us with vials of blood on a regular basis. That being said, if you don’t mind, he would like to meet you as part of the selection procedure, the last hurdle before we can fully accept you. He wants to ensure the safety of the vampire blood, and requires all staff to keep him up to date on their research. I hope this is not a problem?”

“That won’t be a problem.” Truth be told, she had expected as much. What vampire would just hand out their blood to anybody? This did not mean she wasn’t nervous about it. Even though she had done a years’ worth of theoretical research on vampire blood, she had never met one. While she had understood that the sheriff was interested in her project, she still preferred her interactions with vampires few and far in between. However, that was not going to stop her getting this position.

“Good. In that case, I would like to take you to him tonight. He owns a nightclub. Maybe you’ve heard of it, it’s quite famous. Fangtasia?” She shook her head; this did not ring a bell. “Anyhow, he has asked to meet us there at ten, if that’s okay for you? It’s usually not too busy on Tuesday night, especially not after last night.”

“Sure. Is there anything I should know about vampire protocol?” She really didn’t want to offend our blood donor and the one person who could prevent her getting this position.

André smiled. “Don’t worry, Eric – Eric Northman, he’s the sheriff – has only been enthusiastic about this project. Just be yourself.” With that he took his leave and she spend the rest of the day getting to know her other two colleagues, who insisted she call them by first name as well, though Hanny had to be at least twenty years her senior. They seemed genuinely nice and gave her a bunch of tips on life in Shreveport, apartment hunting and perhaps most importantly, on dealing with vampires.

“Just don’t overdo it on the perfume. Vampires have a stronger sense of smell and they generally don’t like the chemical odour of perfume.” Hanny advised.

“And don’t eat red meat before meeting them. They’re weird on that, too, though I don’t want to know why.” Aiguo shuddered.

“And most important of all, don’t wear silver. They could take offence.” Hanny added. Keira nodded, actually having thought of that herself.

At five o’clock they all went home – well, Keira went to the hotel – and she made sure to order a vegetarian meal: one could never be too careful. She took a shower again after dinner and had another crisis in front of her closet. She honestly had no idea what to wear to a meeting with a vampire in his nightclub. In the end she decided on smart casual: a navy knee length dress without cleavage, a black jacket and her high heels from this morning. Before dinner she had asked directions at the receptionist downstairs, who had pointedly looked at her neck before providing them. It was a fifty minute drive from the hotel. She wanted to make sure to arrive precisely on time, not wanting to be late but also not caring for the idea of waiting in a dark parking lot near a vampire establishment by herself. In the end, she arrived one minute before ten o’clock, and André was already there.

“Don’t worry, it will be fine.” He smiled, though there was a sheen of sweat on his brow.

There was a blonde woman in a leather suit checking IDs at the door, but when she saw André she smiled.

“Dr. Michaelson, we were expecting you. And this must be Miss Beckendale. I’m Pamela Swynford De Beaufort, Eric’s business partner.” She said, turning to Keira. Keira noted she smiled but did not extend her hand.

“I am. Nice to meet you, Miss Swynford.” Keira smiled back.

“Such a polite little thing.” Pam sighed, rolling her eyes. “Just call me Pam. Come, I’ll take you in.”

They followed her into the bar, and Keira had a difficult time not letting her gaze wonder. While there were not that many people – or vampires – present, those that were there, were only clad in minimalistic leather outfits that left little to the imagination. They were wildly dancing on the stages, and just by their too-fast movements it was clear they were supernatural. However, her eyes were quickly drawn to the vampire sitting on a throne like seat in the back of the club. She had no doubt that that was Eric Northman, vampire sheriff and decider of her fate. All the other vampires cast their eyes down whenever he let his gaze wander over them, as if afraid to look into his eyes. That little fact did not comfort her. However, she had no time to panic – because they were already standing in front of him.

“Dr. Michaelson and Miss Beckendale to see you.” Pam said in a monotone, as if she was bored. Keira realised she probably was: there must be lots of people seeking favours with this powerful vampire – she had no doubt he was old and strong.

“Miss Beckendale, at last. I’m Eric Northman, sheriff of area 5.” The tall blonde vampire stepped down from the podium.

“Keira Beckendale, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Northman.” She said. She was taken aback by how much there was of him. While Keira was not small at 5 foot 6, he had to be at least 6 foot 3.

“The pleasure is all mine. Please, join me. Thank you Pam.” He gestured to the seat next to his throne, never taking his eyes off of her. From the corner of her eyes she saw André being guided by Pam to the small stool on the other side of Eric’s seat, while she took place in the throne like seat similar to his. Pam nodded to Eric once he was seated and walked back to the front door. In front of their seats the dancing and partying continued like never before. This had to be the strangest place for an interview she had ever seen.

“I was intrigued by your thesis and subsequent research proposal, Miss Beckendale.” Eric Northman said to her, the intensity never leaving his eyes.

Keira smiled politely. This was the ‘explain what you do part’: at least that was normal. “Thank you. I hope to put my theories into practice at the research lab here.”

He raised an eyebrow. “You have not had to chance to do so before?”

“Unfortunately, no. The university did not provide any samples. I am obliged to get the opportunity.” He waved the gratitude away: that was not interesting for him.

She launched into a brief explanation of her proposal, making certain not to say the word ‘blood’ or ‘V’. “With the samples I will conduct a my research in two phases. First, the different negative qualities need to be eliminated from the genetic makeup of the substance. If this is possible, then in the second phase it needs to be combined with conventional medicine to ensure the largest amount of effectiveness against the lowest cost and risk.”

He nodded, intrigued once more. “What are those negative qualities you speak of?” She had no doubt that he knew, but wanted to hear her say it.

“Well, there are many studies on the high amount of addictiveness of the substance. Furthermore, the psychological side effects of even a small amount are drastic if it is inhaled in its pure form. In my thesis I have theorised that this is because of the genetic makeup of the substance, and that if this is altered slightly, it will retain its medicinal properties without the negative side effects.”

“I see. Why the combination with regular medicine?” He seemed puzzled by that, as it was widely known that vampire blood healed all illnesses completely.

“I aim to integrate the two, mostly for practical reasons. As you are aware, it is extremely difficult to acquire enough material for research, let alone for mass production of medicine. Therefore, it is essential to get maximum results with the minimal amount of material. I hope to develop medicine in such a way that the negative effects of regular medicine are countered, while also increasing its effectiveness in targeting a particular disease only.”

“And if you were to obtain enough material?” She did not know what to make of that question. Was he offering?

“Then it would still be necessary to eliminate the negative effects of it before it could be employed as medicine. Also, purely practical, the costs of such would be astronomical, which would not aid my purposes.” There were enough medicine around which were unavailable for those without money, and she did not plan to add onto that pile.

“A true do-gooder, then.” He was a strange combination of sarcasm and sincerity. “Alright, Miss Beckendale, how many samples would you require?” So she had passed the first test. However, she fully realised the interview wasn’t over, yet.

“Well, there have been studies suggesting that the age of the donor plays a significant role in both the negative and positive qualities of the material. It is also known however, that the fresher the sample, the more effective it is. For the first phase, a biweekly supply of differently aged samples would be most beneficial. If that is possible?” She did not know the quality of the blood he provided, nor how far his influence reached in obtaining different types of blood, but she always thought it best to aim high and then meet in the middle.

“Ah, yes. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee the same quality of the samples provided on a longer timeframe. There are voluntary donors residing in the area, but we receive most samples from donors passing through, who give one time donations. However, it would be possible for us to indicated the age of the material as we provide it. Is this acceptable?” From the corner of her eyes Keira saw André nodding vigorously, and so she smiled.

“Of course, we appreciate any donation we receive.” It was true: she was grateful to get this opportunity, and she doubted many other vampires would be so obliging.

“Alright, I do believe that was all. I think you will be a fine addition to the research project, Miss Beckendale. Can I persuade you to get a drink at the bar to celebrate?” Eric said, rising from his chair.

“No thank you, I have an early morning, tomorrow.” She smiled apologetically, rising as well.

“Come now, Keira, we’re not making you work too hard on your second day, do we?” André joked nervously. He was clearly terrified of offending the tall vampire.

“Not at all. I merely want to look at some apartments before I come in tomorrow. I wish to make this beautiful city my home as soon as possible.” She was sure Eric understood the double meaning behind her words: everybody knew vampires could freely enter hotel rooms, but had to be invited in if you had your own home. Doing what she did, that would make her feel a lot safer.

“I have some wonderful apartments under my care which are available for rent, if you need to find a suitable home quickly. Apartments in Shreveport are in high demand, as you might have noticed.” Eric smiled for the first time that night: a charming smile, she had to admit.

“I couldn’t possibly impose.” She did not think it was a good idea to get more tangled up with this vampire than absolutely necessary.

“I insist. I’ll have some paperwork for you to sign tomorrow evening, so we can meet up then to look at an apartment.”

Keira gave in, deciding she could always tell him ‘thanks but no thanks’ about the apartment when they met there tomorrow. Besides, if she pushed any more, André would have a nervous breakdown for sure.

“Then I would be happy to.” Really, anything at this point to get away from his intense stare. It creeped her out. His grin got even bigger.

“Lovely. I’ll text you the address.” She did not ask how he got her number, only nodded, said her goodbyes and turned to leave. André caught up with her halfway through the bar.

“That went well. He likes you.” He commented. She just nodded again, suspecting they were still within Eric Northman's hearing range. They stepped through the door, where Pam was still checking IDs. The line had grown considerably.

“Goodbye, Keira, André. Pleasure doing business with you.” Pam said dryly, her attention already on other things as soon as she finished her sentence.