Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2018-09-15
Updated:
2020-07-06
Words:
187,164
Chapters:
26/?
Comments:
468
Kudos:
682
Bookmarks:
243
Hits:
24,695

The Difference Between Fault and Responsibility

Summary:

Governments couldn't be trusted.

The People have a right to feel safe.

"The safest hands are our own"

"If we can't accept limitations then we're no better than the bad guys"

What started out as two stances regarding accountability and control spiraled out of control with Helmut Zemo stoking the flames. Can an outside variable fill in the widening cracks of the Avengers before they are shattered beyond repair?

Chapter 1: Prologue

Chapter Text

“What were you thinking?” Agent Ross demanded.

“Steve isn’t going to stop so long as the other Winter Soldiers could be a threat” Sharon defended, crossing her arms over her chest.

“So you thought arming them with their trademark weapons was a good idea?” Agent Ross challenged, still in disbelief at his agent's actions.

“They wouldn’t survive without them” Sharon answered stubbornly.

“You know you played right into Ross’ hands right? He wants them to resist arrest. And you just gave them the tools to do so! You aided and abetted a criminal!” Agent Ross declared, just in case she didn't understand what her actions were going to cost her.

“I’m confident that Steve will make the right choices” Sharon rebutted, standing firm against her superior.

“Well he hasn’t so far” Agent Ross countered pointedly.

Sharon chose to bite her tongue rather than comment back.

Agent Ross took out a secured burner phone out of his pocket. He immediately scrolled down to Woo and clicked enter, bringing the phone up to his ear.

“Woo” a voice answered.

“Agent Woo. Agent Ross. Where’s that specialized Task-Force at with the investigation on the Winter Soldier?” Agent Ross asked (demanded). Dealing with all the adults around him acting like immature children had worn his patience down to zero.

“You mean you don’t know?” Woo questioned, sounding confused.

“Don’t know what?” Agent Ross demanded. Sharon giving him a confused look.

“They already captured the real assailant. Secretary Ross ordered their deployment to bring in the Avengers” Woo reported.

Agent Ross just looked at Sharon in disbelief.