Actions

Work Header

All the Sins

Summary:

As the youngest child of a family of minor Asgardian nobility, you have had the freedom to dedicate your life to your passion, the history of the Nine Realms. But a chance encounter in the palace library leads to you being forced into an arranged marriage with Prince Loki, the God of Mischief himself. What begins as a public relations campaign to rehabilitate Loki's image pulls you into a complicated web of family rivalries and secrets, politics, and a nascent uprising.

And amidst all the turmoil is your new husband, who may not be the cold, cruel manipulator you believed you had married.

Notes:

Although I have been writing fanfiction since before I knew there was a name for it, this is the first fanfic I have written in a few years, and my first foray into writing for the Marvel fandom. I'm trying my best to do my research, but please excuse any errors.

This could very well change as I continue to develop the plot, but I anticipate that much of this story will occur before the first Thor movie, with some of the events from the movies appearing in later chapters. Then it will become more of an AU as I adjust the movie universe to fit with mine.

Feedback, suggestions, and constructive criticism would be much appreciated. I hope you'll enjoy it! Thanks so much for reading.

Chapter 1: Madness

Chapter Text

“You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”

― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

 

Although the vast library in the Asgardian palace is warm and comfortable, a sudden chill corkscrews down my spine and I slowly lift my gaze from my studies, meeting a pair of mesmerizing blue-green eyes. They seem to darken into a piercing emerald as their owner brazenly stares at me, silently daring me to look away. But I’m too spellbound to break the connection until a low, seductive voice echoes through my skull.

“Are you afraid of me, little one? Or merely entranced?”

I look frantically around me to see who had spoken, but the activity around me continues unabated. Servants dust bookshelves and archivists hunch over their work, but all are silent, their attention directed only at their tasks. The only thing that’s out of the ordinary is the slender man with porcelain skin and raven hair sitting in a reading nook by the windows, a book on his lap, still staring at me with one eyebrow arched.

I know who he is; how could I not? Every citizen of Asgard is aware of Prince Loki, second son of King Odin and a notorious trickster. The God of Mischief and Lies. And now, I’m all too aware, the most alluring man I’ve ever laid eyes on. Surely he cannot be speaking to me telepathically. And yet, it’s well within the realm of possibility. After all, his skill at sorcery is legendary; he’s been trained by the All-Mother herself.

“Don’t keep me waiting. I won’t ask again.”

This must be how it feels to descend into madness. To waver on a tightrope between sanity and the loss of all reason, always questioning whether you can trust what is happening in your own head.

My mouth is suddenly as dry as dust. Can I communicate with the prince simply by thinking? I close my eyes, considering my answer. Afraid? No, though given all I have heard about you, perhaps I should be. Awestruck, maybe. Intrigued, certainly.

I open my eyes in time to see a pleased smirk emerge on the god’s lips.

“You’re not like all the others. Those fools who cower when they see me, believing I am a serpent in the court, waiting to strike and usurp my brother’s place as heir. But you… You are enticed by my sinfulness, are you not?”

Normally, I would expect such a brazen question to make me blush furiously, but if anything I feel even more chilled. I look resolutely back down at the Midgardian history tome on the desk, but it’s utterly impossible to concentrate on it now. I’m furious at the disruption to my precious time in the palace library. The royal family has been kind enough to grant me access to the library and archives to aid me in my studies of the history of the Nine Realms, but I know the privilege could be revoked if I’m discovered spending my time ogling Prince Loki.

I take a deep, calming breath and reach for my pen to resume taking notes. This is just one more obstacle to overcome on my quest to become a respected historian. Something sharp pricks my finger when I touch the pen and I gasp, dropping it back onto the desk. The pen has transformed into a yellow rose, my favorite flower. It is pristine and beautiful but the stem is teeming with thorns. A bead of blood seeps from my index finger and I hastily rummage in my pocket for a handkerchief lest I bleed all over the priceless volume before me.

My eyes involuntarily return to my tormentor and I am incensed to find him openly snickering at me. “Just a harmless little trick, my dear. It must be tedious, studying history when you are simply a tiny speck that will be obscured by time and the noble deeds of our heroes. Such a tiresome pursuit.”

“You are very cruel,” I retort silently, humiliated by the sudden tears prickling my eyes. How dare he insult my life’s work, my greatest passion? Based on the gossip I’ve heard, one day he’ll merely be a footnote to the glorious reigns of his parents and brother, remembered only for his lies and deceit. I abruptly close the book, causing dust to billow from its pages, and stand up to leave. Prince or not, Loki has ruined my cherished time in my precious sanctuary and I won’t allow him the satisfaction of riling my anger and hurt any further.

Unbidden, I am overwhelmed by a vision of Loki striding over to me, his well-fitted green and black clothing showcasing his lean yet muscular body. He gently puts a finger to my chin and angles my face up toward him, then suddenly his mouth crashes into mine and I find myself parting my lips for him despite my determination to keep them closed as tightly as possible. The prince’s tongue flicks against mine, igniting an ache of lust that spreads throughout my entire body. It’s almost too much to bear…

The image disappears as quickly as it had arrived, leaving only a green wisp behind. His mind games are intolerable. I know I need to put some distance between us as soon as possible.

I make it through the library’s heavy wooden doors and into the hallway when Loki suddenly materializes in front of me, causing me to back up into the cold stone wall. Spoken out loud, his voice is even more velvety and sensual than it sounded in my head.

“Ah, you have a healthy dose of fear after all, though your defiance is also quite pleasing. You haven’t seen the last of me, my pet. I’ve looked into your mind and what I saw fascinates me. Of course, the rest of you is lovely to behold as well. Ethereal as an elf maiden of Alfheim. Yes, you shall do nicely.”

With that, he evaporates, leaving me in utter bewilderment over his cryptic words.