Actions

Work Header

Better Late Than Never

Summary:

Jensen wasn’t alone. He had his son, Lucas.

As Lucas enters his second last year of highschool, the depressing thoughts accompanied with loneliness begins to plague Jensens mind.

Lucas begins to take notice of his soft hearted dads troubles. He knows it has to do with him having a year left before leaving for college. He knows his dad will miss him so much. His dad needed someone to fill the emptiness when he is not around.

He decides Sheriff Dean Winchester is the answer.

The only question is how will he get his recluse of a dad to start dating again and will Dean Winchester, popular ladies man even bat an eye in his dad’s direction?

Let's say their first meet didn't go so well....

Notes:

A/N: Disclaimer: I do not own anyone in this fic. Just borrowing names and faces for fan fic purposes only.

Please forgive me if any errors as English is my second language and I have no beta. Forgive me in advance.

I feed off constructive feedback and kudos...it's my inspiration.

In this fic Jensen is younger than Dean. He probably looks like his s5 clean shaven self while Dean looks like his s9 scruffy sexy self. It's just to give them a slight change in look because yes I know they are the same person. Use your imagination.

Chapter Text

“Lucas! You’re going to be late for school,” Jensen called up the stairs. He chuckled when he heard a squawk, thump and a groan come from his sons room. 

Yup Lucas probably fell off the bed again.

His son was still a late riser. Always had been from the age of 5. And has manifested for the last 12 years after. He chuckled and shook his head, making his way to their little humble lime colored kitchen. He proceeded to make pancakes while the coffee brewed.

Jensen was used to this domesticity. Just he and his 17 year old son. 

But recently his gut always hollowed when thinking of his boy. His nerves always felt unsettled. That voice in the back of his mind constantly reminding him that 'soon everything will be different, soon he won’t be around'. 

And that scared Jensen to the very core.

He couldn’t imagine being without his baby. His screaming pink baby that he cradled in his 15 year old arms to watch him grow into a fine young man. His baby that he had wished stayed little, innocent and dependent on his dad.

Unfortunately, life wasn’t such. Children grew, gained independence and moved on.

Jensen was lost in deep thought that he didn’t notice his son stumble into the kitchen. 

Lucas tried to spike his sandy blonde hair up, fixing his strap on his shoulder. Christ he can’t believe he’ll be slightly late for his first day as a Junior. He glanced at the island seeing no plate filled with breakfast in sight. He spared a glance at his dad and frowned at the faraway stoic face his father had in place while staring out the window, spatula in hand. He moved closer to the island, muttering, “Dad you ok?”

An indistinct voice entered his ears until it grew louder and clearer. A firm, “Dad!” broke Jensen out of his heart jostling thoughts. He startled, finally smelling the burnt pancakes. He immediately turned off the stove and turned to meet the concerned green eyes of his 17 year old. He feigned a smile, “Good morning baby”. He thanked the heavens there was still a few unburnt pancakes already placed on a plate beside the stove. He quickly placed that in front of his baby, pouring two cups of coffee.

Lucas could tell that his father was trying to act all fine; covering up for his mishap. He had seen his dad in a almost sad state for the last two months or so. It was not pleasant to see his 32 year old dad be so clumsy and vulnerable. When his dad placed his coffee before him, he asked, “Are you ok dad?”

Jensen swallowed, laughing lightly before taking a hugh gulp of his coffee. He added, “Sure baby I’m fine. Eat up….I’ll drop you off to school so you won’t be late”.

Lucas wanted to push further but his dad was right. He needed to get to school on time. He dropped the subject for now and shoveled the pancakes into his mouth before washing it down with coffee. Within a few minutes they were climbing into his fathers black 2008 Ford Escape. 


“Garth! Kevin! My office pronto!”

Garth and Kevin stared wide eyed at one another. Oh crap! That was the Sheriffs pissed off voice. 

“Kevin! Garth! If you’re not in my office in 5 seconds…”.

Kevin and Garth scrambled over to the Sheriffs office. Kevin shut the door quietly behind them as if that would clear any tension. Garth already trembling lightly, but standing ramrod straight trying to look at the white board behind the fuming sheriff’s back. Kevin came to stand beside Garth, squeaking, “Yes Sheriff Winchester”.

“What the hell is this?!” Dean threw an open file containing pictures of what looked like a small rally outside an animal clinic that…looked familiar. Oh crap!

Kevin mumbled lightly, “It was all under control”.

Dean growled in a low dangerous tone, “Does this look like it’s under control Tran?”

Garth jumped in, “But we arrested the main instigator for these rallies”.

Dean blew hot air through his nose, gritting out, “Does this look like the main instigator was arrested. Did you even do a background check on the guy you currently have locked up in the cell?!” 

Garth scratched the back of his head, “Um we went on a tip”.

Kevin added, “Yeah some guy named Kiki”.

The sheriff removed the picture above revealing the next, showing a blonde haired, brown eyed dude with a cigarette in his mouth. He pointed, “You mean this guy?”

“Uh-oh”, Was all Kevin and Garth could mutter.

“Yeah uh-oh because apparently this man here….that you so willingly trusted is the leader of this group that had been causing nothing but havoc to business owners and centers such as these. The man you supposedly locked up without any thorough check happens to be an animal rights activist. He’s one of the good guys….FOR HEAVEN’S SAKE WHAT IS IT GARTH?!" The sheriff barked at the taller officer who was putting his hand up to wanting to speak.

“But his names Donny sir…Don for short….sounds like someone who would sell weed”.

Sheriff Winchester pinched the bridge of his nose, “Get out both of you and fix this damn mess!”

“Yes sir”, Kevin and Garth left their office just happy that their badges were still attached.


 

Dean was finishing up some last minute paper work when the door to his office opened. Without lifting his head Dean uttered, “What is it Donna?”

“Boss that kid Lucas is here to see you”.

Dean sighed. Lucas has been coming over quite a lot, saying that he was doing an assignment on the Sheriffs department. He really didn’t have the energy to be answering the questions of a teenager at 7pm. He frowned as he glanced at his watch. What was a teen doing out at 7pm? He should be home with his parents. He nodded, “Let him in Hanscum”.

“Okie Dokie Boss”. 

A few seconds later, Lucas walked in with book in hand. He smiled, “Hiya sheriff Winchester”.

Dean scrutinized the teen, “What are you doing still roaming around at 7pm Lucas? Aren't your parents going to get worried?”

Lucas had this twinkle in his eyes, shrugging, “Sorry Sheriff, lost track of time. Is it ok if you drop me back home? Plus I only have a dad and he's SINGLE”.

Dean shook his head at the bluntness of the teen. Clearly Lucas was up to something. Anyway, Dean had a duty to uphold. He added, “Ok since I’m knocking off, I’ll drop you off to your home. Come on”.

“Thanks Sheriff!”


Dean parked his 2018 Ford Ranger outside the small two story home. He added, “You’ll be ok from here?” He saw the white door to the humble home swing open and out stepped a six foot tall, Sandy blonde, gorgeous man who had his arms folded across his chest with a disapproving scowl in place. Dean found himself asking, “That your dad?”

Lucas gulped, “Yup…Crap”. He turned to find Dean staring at his dad with hooded eyes. Despite the scolding he would probably get from his pops; it’ll probably be worth it. He asked, “Do you want to say hi?”

“I don’t think I need to be doing that. He’s coming over”. 

Crap! Lucas was frozen as he watched his dad stomp towards them. Shit he was so screwed.

“Lucas Lee Ackles! You get out of that car and away from that cradle snatcher right this instant!”

Oh Crapity Crap! Lucas watched as Sheriff Winchesters jaw dropped open.

TBC