Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 3 of Hard Knock City
Stats:
Published:
2018-05-17
Completed:
2018-11-21
Words:
102,813
Chapters:
25/25
Comments:
519
Kudos:
222
Bookmarks:
23
Hits:
15,397

A Wolf's Song

Chapter 9: Just Talking

Summary:

Officer Wolford stumbles into a dangerous situation.

Notes:

Disclaimer: I do not own Zootopia, Disney or any of its characters.

Criticism always welcome!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

                Ralph rubbed his eyes wearily and was glad Nadine agreed to this early coffee run. His dreams of orange and black were now filled with the smell of cinnamon and cumin scents he would now associate with his partner. They were assigned to assist Precinct Three in a string of armed robberies plaguing the Meadowlands. The initial reports suggested the suspects were Wolves, but Ralph didn't believe it. While it was possible for a Wolf to go rogue, many listened to their Packs and Alpha's. Therefore the only way the officer saw the suspects being Wolves was because they were ordered by their Alpha, which would lead to the dispelling of the Pack from the Diet and the assured destruction of the Pack overall.

He yawned as he pulled the handle of the Snarlbucks close to Precinct One. This specific spot was where Sheri, Reggie's girlfriend, worked and even before the Weasel had become a normal stop for several officers' before or after work. The bleary eyed Wolf dragged himself into line and stood behind another Wolf in a red baggy t-shirt and even baggier jeans. Ralph glanced around the cafe as he waited patiently for his turn up front. There was a young Wolf sitting at a table with a red long sleeved shirt, jeans and a red baseball cap that just covered the other lupine's eyes. Sitting at another table was Karl, a Gazelle who worked part time while still in college and a young Wolf wearing a red hoodie with only his grey muzzle sticking out and a pair of blue sweatpants. The Wolf in front of the officer stepped aside, so Ralph stepped forward and smiled at the raccoon behind the counter.

He waved wearily at Sheri. It always impressed the lupine how focused her dedication was at Snarlbucks. She had gone from a barista the officer saw every once in awhile to the go-to opener, to Supervisor, all while working with an upbeat attitude. The Wolf had seen the raccoon and Weasel together outside of work and had to admit they looked adorable. Her bubbly personality mixed with Weaselton's no nonsense appearance always gave him a good la-

The realization hit him like a freight train.

"Three Wolves in matching colors. No other guests. Karl sitting down with a possible stranger. Sheri's smile is nervous. Smell of fear in the air. FOCUS!"

Ralph had been absentmindedly staring at the menu when he finally realized how much fear was in the air. The officer should have noticed it immediately, but his reactions were dulled from drowsiness. It sharpened acutely as he smiled reassuringly at the raccoon behind the counter. He leaned forward onto it, "Hey Sheri, could you make me a special drink for today?"

The raccoon cocked her head to the side as she continued to smile nervously, "Wh-what do you have in m-mind?"

The officer hummed, tapping a digit on his lips. He turned to the Wolf that stepped to the side, "What do you think?"

The Wolf, a Red Wolf Ralph noticed, balked. He eventually found his bearings and frowned, "Just order something mam."

Ralph hummed again before focusing back to Sheri. "I would like...a large Animericano with four shots of espresso, extra hot!" The procyon turned to make the drink when the lupine stopped her. "Sheri! I don't think you understand how hot I want this drink. Keep the wand in twice." The disgusted look the raccoon gave him almost made the Wolf burst into laughter. Apparently even in the middle of a suspected robbery, the supervisor still had standards. With a huff, the raccoon set to work.

The officer moved on the other side of the counter, putting distance between the suspect closest to him while gaining ground on the suspect with the baseball cap. He sighed as he leaned back against the display case filled with pastries and other goodies. Ralph smiled at the still standing Wolf. "Don't do this," he said bluntly, "You can just walk out now and no one would be the wiser."

The Red Wolf in red sneered, "What are you-"

"You decided," Ralph interrupted loudly, staring down the young lupine whose ears began to fall, "to try and rob the Snarlbucks of Precinct One. This can go either two ways. One!" He raised a digit, "You can walk out of here and disappear. Two!" He raised a second digit, "You can piss off the best officers in the Z.P.D. by robbing their favorite place to get a quick cup and a warm smile." The sound of a cup being placed behind him had the officer glance away. His drink was ready. The Wolf clasped the scalding beverage carefully, taking off the top and blowing on it. He smiled and locked eyes with the Red Wolf, "So what's it gonna be?"

The suspect snarled with ears pinned. The most telling sign was the suspect's tail trying to slip between his legs. "There's three of us and one of you!"

"You're right, there's only one me..." admitted Ralph as he pushed off the display case. He smirked, "...for now." The officer chuckled and shrugged his shoulders, "But what are you gonna do when Precinct One needs its caffeine fix? Do you honestly believe you can take on the Chief while you're standing in the way of his morning tea?" The lupine officer sighed and shook his head, "Just go, before things take a turn for the worse."

Their fear was palpable. The Red Wolf's tail slipped between his legs completely and the snarl turned into a hesitant grimace. Ralph heard a worried whine behind him. "Jay, maybe we should-"

"Ralph!" shouted Nadine as she ripped the door open. Tranq pistol in paw, the Tiger's eyes were wide and trained on the lupine officer. A moment of shock at the armed feline officer filled the mammals in the cafe, it didn't last long.

Everything happened at once.

"It's a trap!" shouted the Wolf behind the lupine officer.

Ralph stepped back, turning back to the Red Wolf at the counter. He tossed the scorching drink between them as he did, hoping to deter the youth. It didn't work as a pain filled growled tackled him.

The Red Wolf's t-shirt was stained brown as his muzzle dripped with the beverage. He snarled and snapped at the officer, wrapping his paws around the Grey Wolf's neck. "I'm gonna kill you!" the burned lupine screamed as he throttled and slammed Ralph's head against the floor.

Droplets of drool and Animericano landed on the officer's face as he desperately tried to pry off his attacker. His forearm pressing into the other Wolf's throat as a free paw desperately clawed at the suspect's around his throat. The familiar thunk of a tranq pistol sounded and the suspect on top of him slacken his grip. The grey Wolf pushed the now unconscious red Wolf off of him. Ralph struggled to his hind paws, panting and rubbing his neck. A quick glance saw the Wolf orginally behind the lupine officer unconscious and slumped over the table. Sheri crouched behind the counter and the hooded Wolf holding Karl with one arm around his neck and the other behind the Gazelle's back. Nadine stared unblinking at the Gazelle and Wolf, both paws on her tranq as she remained rooted in place. Ralph tried to speak, but only a pained whine escaped him.

"You alright Wolford?" questioned Nadine, gaze unmoving and tone professional.

Ralph cleared his throat and spoke just above a whisper. "Yeah." He looked over to the raccoon and tried to smile as reassuringly as possible. "Sheri," he croaked, "could I bother you for a glass of water?" The procyon looked at him with a mixture of fear and disbelief at what the lupine just asked, but she turned to get water. He leaned on the counter and glanced between the hostage situation and the shaking supervisor. In no time the raccoon slid a plastic cup to Ralph. He grasped with a smile and sipped the drink.

"Wolford?"

The lupine officer held up a digit to his partner as he chugged the rest of his drink. With a satisfied sigh, he placed the cup back down and turned to the hostage situation. "I told you this would happen," Ralph stated matter-of-fact, voice still slightly raspy, "so why don't you give up now before this goes even worse." The hoodied Wolf didn't respond, fidgeting slightly behind the herbivore. Ralph stepped forward with a friendly smile and his paws in front of him. "Let's just take a deep breath and..."

The suspect pulled out a gun with the paw behind Karl. The firearm's short barrel and cylinder gleamed steel grey, with the black handle contrasting with the lupine's fur. He pointed the weapon at the grey Wolf. "S-Stop!" he stuttered.

Ralph's ears pin back as now his tail fell between his legs, but he stepped forward again. "There's no need for that..."

"Wolford, what are you doing?" Nadine hissed, professionalism leaving her voice.

"...we're just gonna talk." continued the lupine officer, taking another step, "Let Karl go and we can sit down and discuss this."

"Shut up!" shouted the agitated Wolf, "a-and stop moving!"

"We can figure something out," Ralph tried to assuage, paws still raised but his smile wavering, "but I need to just listen to me." Out of the corner of his eye, the lupine saw the feline officer. Nadine moved closer to the suspect, pistol still raised and eyes narrowed. He needed her to stop, to let him talk the hoodied Wolf down. He wouldn't get that opportunity.

The suspect saw the Tiger's movement and jerked the gun in her direction. "Get the Rutt back!" he screamed, fear obvious in his tone and scent. As he swung the weapon at the feline, his hood pulled back. Underneath was a grey Wolf who didn't appear to be out of his teen years. The wild, panicked look in the youth's eyes told the older lupine more than scent alone. The suspect was about to crack.

Ralph glanced between Nadine and the suspect, trying to figure how to get the firearm off his partner. An idea popped into his head, one that could end with him getting shot in her place. He glanced once more at the Tiger. It would be worth it. The grey Wolf dropped his paws and balled them into tight fists. He snarled and thought of the worst things possible to raise his hackles. The gun pointed at Nadine easily helped. The lupine officer stepped forward aggressively and growled. "What are you doing?"

The shocked expression on the young Wolf and Gazelle's faces provided the officer with proof that his bluff was working. The hoodied Wolf's ears pinned, "Wha...what?"

Ralph stepped aggressively forward, growling and snarling the entire time. "I am Beta Wolford and you will obey me," the officer declared, "now point the gun at me." The youth hesitated and the older Wolf quickly closed the distance until only a few feet away.

"Ralph what are you-"

"I said do it!" the Beta commanded, mustering all the authority he could and hoping for a reaction.

The young Wolf panicked, throwing Karl out of the way and swinging the firearm at Ralph. He pulled the trigger.

Click

Click

Click

The hooded Wolf looked at the gun dumbfounded. The thunk of Nadine's tranq pistol sounded and a dart hit the stunned lupine's shoulder. He looked at Ralph, eyes still wide in terror, before collapsing to the ground.

Ralph was panting, a paw over his heart as his legs threatened to give out. He looked about the Snarlbucks hazily. Karl collapsed, crying but visibly unharmed. Sheri moved to the Gazelle and was doing her best to comfort him, but her speech was stuttered and fur still on end as she failed to hide her fear. What made the Wolf uncomfortable was the look Nadine was giving him. Her expression was blank, but the corners of her muzzle twitched downward intermittently as if she wanted to snarl. She remained in place, tranq still in both paws, yet her tail twitched erratically behind her. Finally the Wolf would swear there was a slight tremor in the large mammal. None of this was a good sign for the lupine officer.

Ralph swallowed dryly and tried to smile, "H-Hey Fangmeyer...you can put that away now." The feline continued to stare at the Wolf, but slowly holstered her weapon. The tension from his partner kept the lupine's hackles raised as he breathed deeply to calm down. Once again something was wrong and he had no idea what. To make it worse, it appeared Nadine was actively trying to hide her emotions from him. The wail of sirens in the distance broke the grey Wolf from his thoughts. This was an active crime scene and the suspects were still only darted. He sighed as his wobbly legs carried the lupine to unconscious hooded Wolf. Ralph pulled out his pawcuffs and grimaced. "I just wanted to talk..."


 

              The day started out terribly, and didn't get much better. The partner's were placed on desk duty for the remainder of the day, filling out the necessary paperwork for the three arrested Wolves. The events of the morning hadn't sunk in until well into the afternoon. Ralph was typing out a report for the attempted robbery charge, when the ticking of the analog clock above the doorway seem to amplify. The lupine's heart began to race.

Tick

Tick

Tick

A breath caught in his throat as the sound resonated in the cramped office. His digits felt numb as a chill ran up his spine.

Tick

Tick

Tick

He should have died. If the suspects didn't get ripped off by whoever gave them the gun he would have.

Tick

Tick

Tick

All it would have taken is one bullet through his heart or head and Ralph would have died right there in Snarlbucks. No more mother. No more father. No more sisters or brothers or cousins or nosey aunts and uncles. No more Nadine. "Nadine..." He desperately looked to the desk across from his, but the Tiger was missing. When had she left? The Wolf tried to stand, hyperventilating as he pushed off his desk. He collapsed forward. The blow forced even more precious oxygen out of his lungs and the Wolf gasped desperately. He tried to rise to his paws and knees, but only succeeded in weakly rolling onto his back. He felt like he was dying.

Tick

Tick

Tick

Dark rings appeared on the outskirts of his vision as the officer fought frantically to stay conscious. Did he receive an injury without realizing it? Ralph's paws feebly padded at his uniform, there didn't seem be any holes. A muffled cry and the sound of something heavy banging against the wall caused the lupine's gaze to loll towards the doorway. His vision filled with blue, orange and black. The male felt strong arms prop him up.

"Ralph!" cried out the feline, her voice muffled as if miles away, "Can you talk? What's wrong!?"

The Wolf saw an emotion on his partner's face that he hadn't seen before. Panic. The normally stoic Tiger appeared to close to full blown tears. Her gaze darted away to shout for help before focusing back on Ralph. The normally sharp, hazel eyes were dulled with fear. Her breathing was rapid, close to the point of hyperventilating as well. Her grip on her partner never loosened as a list of platitudes continued to stream from her.

"You're gonna be alright Ralph. You're- I need some help over here!- gonna be alright. Just breathe. In and out. In and out. I'm here. In and out. Just breathe. In and out..."

Ralph wasn't sure how much time past, but eventually his breathing evened out. As each breath grew stronger, he sucked more of the feline's scent. Cinnamon and cumin, a combination that would never leave his nose. The weakness he felt earlier was replaced with exhaustion and his heart rate continued to dropped slowly. The lupine tried to stand, but the feline wouldn't let go. He saw conflict behind her gaze, but didn't understand it. "Nadine?" he mumbled, reaching a paw to the Tiger's cheek, "Hey-" Nadine hugged the Wolf closer to her body. Ralph couldn't see her face with her head resting on his shoulder, but could hear her pain filled sob. The male pinched his eyes closed as tears threatened to spill.

"You could have died," hoarsely whispered Nadine, "I could have watched you die!"

"I'm sorry," muttered Ralph, his voice thick with emotion, "I should have told him to drop it-"

"I can't lose you," interrupted the crying female, "I just can't!"

The Wolf tried to wrap his arms around his partner, but found his right pinned against Nadine. He settled for half wrapping his left around her neck and using his blunted claws to scratch the back of her head. "It's ok," Ralph tried to soothe, confused by the turn of events, "I'm ok, you're ok, and we're ok. Ok?" The female didn't respond, simply sniffling and continuing to hold the Wolf tight. The lupine continued his ministrations as he desperately tried to figure out what happened. Whatever it was hit him suddenly and seemed to leave just as fast. He never experienced anything like that in his life. What compounded his confusion was Nadine. The feline never showed fear, yet now she was crying openly.

Ralph closed his eyes and leaned into the female, his paw still petting Nadine. "It'll be alright. I'm still here and you're still here. Nothing's going to happen to us." The Wolf's voice was barely above a whisper. Exhaustion pulled him closer and closer to sleep, and eventually the lupine gave in. The last thing he remembered was the warm embrace of his partner.

Notes:

Nothing like a bit of tension to keep the story rolling. Ralph will be fine and what happened is explained literally the first paragraph of the next chapter. That being said I feel like people can figure out what it was. Let me know what you think!