Actions

Work Header

Where do we go from here?

Chapter 9: Best Laid Plans

Summary:

Ginny and Hermione are planning their Christmas break, and how they can make the most of their time. Harry is stuck in France.

Notes:

Apologies for the attempt at writing a French accent, also there is talk of death but nothing specific. Also werewolf discrimination.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Chapter Nine: Best Laid Plans

 

 

 

 

After only two weeks of training, Harry had passed all the required exams to be allowed out in the field with his training officer. Within that first week, he had dug up leads on three at-large death eaters. Two frantically short weeks after that Harry strode back into the ministry with Excelsior Avery, securely bound and ready to be processed.

Harry had not wanted to take the limelight. He wished he could do his job out of the spotlight, but Robin had refused to let him step back from his success.

“It’s your win, boy. You did all the work, I barely even had to do anything during the arrest. I’m sorry, I know you want to just step back from public scrutiny, but I can tell you now with your talent for routing out dark wizards? That spotlight is never going to stop shining so may as well take credit when credit is due because it won't always be this easy.” Harry had not wanted to agree but he knew his mentor was right, as he was most of the time. It did feel good to get an arrest that he could say, without any doubt, he had put the hard work into.

Ron, who was not that much further behind his best mate in the training program, felt very proud of Harry that day. He was proving to every Auror that there was more to his abilities than just random chance and good fortune. Of course, he knew how skilled Harry was with defensive magic, his ability to just know when something was not right. Harry was throwing himself into the work, and he was excelling. Ron was doing as good a job in the training too, but he had always known that Harry had that extra touch of something that made him work harder and get the desired results.

 

*

 “OK, mate. You have got to tell me.” Ron said to Harry one evening as they shared a few beers at Harry’s flat. “How did you find these leads? Robin Armitage is insisting it was all you and he doesn’t seem the type to big up his trainees to make himself look better.”

That was putting it mildly, the grizzled Auror had a reputation for being difficult and reluctant in team situations. 

“Robin reminds me of Moody. Which is funny because according to Kingsley they hated each other.”

“Yeah, I heard that too. Too much of the same personality I reckon, and don’t change the subject,” Ron exclaimed with a scowl, Harry’s eyes sparkled as he grinned at his own brilliance. 

“House-elves.” He declared, then rolled his eyes at Ron’s blank expression so went on to explain. “These old, rich, pureblood families are useless at looking after themselves, and would never think twice about using a house-elf to gather supplies, even for a secret location.”

“But a bonded house elf would set themselves on fire before they would ever betray…..” Harry interrupted him excitedly. 

“I know, they never have -- never did. I just went up to Hogwarts and asked Kreacher a few questions about where the elves buy food for their households, and what kind of other jobs would they be tasked to do. Would they be sent to Gringotts for example?” Ron nodded as he followed his friends thinking.

“I also asked him if there was a register of house-elves, like birth certificates, and to what house they were bonded to. He told me each house keeps records of their own elves separately, but every birth is registered with the ministry. Also if one house has more elves than they need they are sold.”

“Don’t tell Hermione that she’ll go off her rocker!” Ron admonished and Harry grimaced.

“I don’t particularly like the idea myself, but I also realised there have to be records of those sales. Most likely kept by the families Lawyers and copied to the department for the control and regulation of magical creatures. And besides Hermione already knows all this stuff, she gave me her notes on SPEW.” Harry looked entirely too pleased with himself.

“So how did you follow the house-elves?” Was Ron’s next thought, as nobody could follow a house-elf. They could apparate without any of the wizarding restrictions, and would never give away their family’s secrets.

“The Avery family have a house-elf called Brindle. It seems that Brindle until recently had been looking after Evangeline Avery at the Avery mansion but it seems that she has disappeared.” Harry took a drink from his bottle, “I think rather she fled the country than was killed. Kreacher also told me that Brindle was very fond of her, and didn’t care for how she was treated by her brother whom she did not like at all.”

“Wow.” Ron gasped. “It’s a lot for an elf to admit dislike, even to another elf.” Harry nodded but continued his story without explaining further.

“Kreacher found this out when he just so happened to see Brindle and talk to her when she was collecting the groceries for her family. But the Avery house is empty, we know this because it’s been searched a few times since the end of the war. Kreacher offered to help Brindle carry her order as there seemed to be a lot, and it would save her making two trips, she accepted his offer. Kreacher could not betray the trust he had been given by another house-elf by taking me there directly, or telling me where it was. He told me what he could without having to punish himself, I was able to get a pretty good idea of the location.”

“Harry, that's bloody brilliant. I am still surprised that Brindle would even talk to Kreacher.”

“It is only because they are related. It is, of course, a very difficult area to look into, I did not want to upset them by prying. But it would appear, from what I have managed to gather, elves can and will talk to blood relatives quite freely, the relative they have confided in is not permitted to divulge that information directly, but this rule is a little fuzzy. They hold no loyalty to that house and they cannot be ordered to stay quiet from someone who isn’t their master. I made sure when I asked Kreacher to tell me what he could, that he would not betray the trust he had been given.” Ron nodded in understanding. “Once I found out about this loophole I asked the Hogwarts elves if they were related to any of the house-elves I had records on and that’s how I managed to get a few potential leads on the others. Too often house-elves are ignored while their ‘betters’ talk in their presence. It’s these kinds of prejudice we should be taking advantage of.”

“I agree with you mate, it’s brilliant. I think the ministry needs more people who have been brought up outside the normal wizarding world preconceptions. My eyes have certainly been opened to my own by you and Hermione.”

“Just wait ‘till she is out of school she is going to change the world, and we are going to help her do it.

 

 *

 

Ginny was getting a little impatient with her friend as she listened to Hermione fret about their Christmas plan once more. It was a simple idea, not worthy of such needless overthinking. When Hermione had mentioned she was not joining her parents on holiday because she wanted to take the extra time to study for her exams. Ginny had suggested keeping that information as quiet as possible. So Ginny could tell her mother she was staying over at Hermione’s, and stay at Harry’s instead. Allowing Ron and Hermione to have their own alone time. 

“Hermione please calm down. There is no way my mum and dad will know your parents are away over Christmas unless you tell them. All you have to do is ask if it’s okay for me to stay over at yours occasionally. Then we can both get the chance for some quality time with whom we would rather be spending Christmas with.” She had been trying to maintain her excellent mood. Ever since her team won their opening Quidditch game against Slytherin, and outperformed them on every level, nothing had been able to shake her positivity. Dean had proven himself to be an excellent keeper, who seemed to get better when he was playing a competitive match. Demelza and Scarlet were so in-sink with each other and very good at reading where Ginny wanted the Quaffle to be. Peakes and Coote the returning beaters had beefed up over the past year and a half and were now strapping fifth years with loads more confidence in themselves. The whole team had bonded very quickly. Dean and Demelza had been getting on so well she wouldn’t be surprised if he had asked her out by now.

Along with their own tremendous performance, Ravenclaw had beaten Hufflepuff in a very close but thrilling match. Ravenclaw was the team to beat this year, but Ginny knew her team were equal to the challenge. Nothing was going to shake her good mood, not even Harry working in France since early November, she told herself firmly.

He had been unable to come for the Hogsmeade weekend. She had not minded too much, it was his job, after all, she would have to be ok with it if they were to have any future. At least he was writing regularly and knowing he was unable to visit had enabled her to concentrate on her school work and practices with the team. But she was heading home now for two weeks, and she still had no clue if Harry would be home at all, that was a difficult potion to take.

“It won’t matter anyway if Harry is not back before school starts again. I might just come and stay at yours for a bit, just to get away from Mum.” Ginny mused, Hermione made an impatient sound and looked at her sharply. 

“Of course you are welcome to come over, but please don’t jeopardise my alone time with Ron just because you are not getting to be with Harry. Anyway, I’m sure he will be home before too much longer, his last owl sounded hopeful he was getting close to finding them.” Hermione finished in a more reassuring tone. Ginny was being sulky and she knew it, so much for her positive mood. The one person who understood more than anyone else and she was being unfair to her friend. 

“I know, I’m sorry. I wouldn’t dream of getting in the way of your time with Ron. It’s just I miss him, and I worry about him. I miss seeing him every day. I miss his voice and how he manages to make me smile, even when he isn’t trying to.” She stopped, then disgusted with herself. “Would you listen to me right now? Eurgh, I think I’m going to make myself sick with my soppiness.”

“It’s cute actually,” Hermione informed her smiling broadly. “I knew you two were well suited. He needs someone with a fire to keep him in line.” She was sometimes surprised by how much Hermione noticed outside of her textbooks. And she did have a point, Harry had a boiling temper equal to her own, but where hers would flash suddenly and fizzle out, he had a slow burn that he could stay mad about something for days if he decided to. She had witnessed his temper, but she had not yet been on the receiving end of it, it would be an interesting day when that happened because her stubborn streak was more than a match to his. 

Hermione’s comments had made her think about their friendship too. They had always got on well, but the past few months at school it had grown into more like a sisterhood. Ginny accepted completely that Hermione was going to marry Ron one day, they had gone through things together that it would be difficult for an outsider to understand. Although whenever she mentioned it to her friend she would say that marriage was an outdated institution and try to change the subject. But Ginny always noticed the slight flush of colour in her cheeks at the thought. She looked out the window and noticed they would soon be arriving at kings cross, the rolling countryside had turned into the back gardens, manicured lawns, and quiet cul-de-sacs of the suburbs. 

She turned away from the window and looked at her copy of the daily prophet Harry had sent to her. The image of him escorting the death eater Avery into custody was on the front cover, but that was not why he had sent it to her. It was his interview about his experience in the war that had everyone talking. Harry had sent a long letter to Hermione before he was interviewed at all, making sure she was happy with certain things being discussed if they came up. She was also sent a copy of the article before it was printed for her to approve the points mentioning her by name. Hermione had looked rather pleased at this. Ginny could tell while reading it that Harry had played down his part, not that the journalist had let him, he was given full credit for all he had done. But as she knew he would, Harry had claimed he would never have been able to get through it all without the help and support of his friends. It was a very candid interview, one that told so much but omitted all the sensitive details. The reporter who wrote it had definitely managed to get the best out of him.

The stronger rules regarding proper press conduct had been one of the first things passed by the new ministry, and it was already having a positive effect. It made the job of a journalist more difficult, but as long as they could prove the truth of what they wrote, it would be printed. It meant that hacks like Rita Skeeter had to work that much harder to find any juicy gossip.

She put the newspaper back into her bag and stood up with Hermione as the train started to slow, they had already changed out of their school things. Hermione had shed her uniform as soon as her head girl duties had been met, Ginny had changed before the train had left Hogsmeade station. They were expecting Ron to meet them at the station, he had said he would try to be there. There was no real need for anyone to meet them as both were of age and more than capable of getting themselves home, but there was something romantic about being greeted at the end of your journey by loved ones, at least it would be romantic for Hermione. 

Ginny’s heart gave a huge lurch as she recognised the man standing beside her brother on the platform. She thought about playing it cool, but that notion only lasted for a second before she was being wrapped up in his arms and thoroughly kissed. She didn’t care who was watching. There was nobody else in the world at that moment, just her, with Harry clinging to her, his lips pressed against hers. Completely lost in their connection. If Ginny had looked she would have noticed Ron and Hermione right beside them in an equal embrace. She broke the kiss so she could look at him and share a smile, but she noticed the darkness under his eyes, the paleness to his skin, and the way his smile didn’t light up his face.

“What’s wrong?” She asked him gently but he just shook his head. 

“I don’t want to talk about it, not here, anyway.” He said firmly, he looked to be drinking in the sight of her as if he could hardly believe she was standing in front of him. He looked so haggard she wanted to know what was troubling him so much, but she just took his hand and nodded. Even if she didn’t feel it inside herself she had to let him think she was ok with what he was taking on, when he was still mentally healing. He was clinging to her hand so tightly like he was afraid she would fly away.

“Come on then,” Ron said to them all, finally letting go of his girlfriend and seeing the rest of them. “Mum’s promised to make a steak pie.”

 

 

O0O

 

 

Three days before Harry met his girlfriend at platform 9¾. He was standing in the snow, freezing his bollocks off, staring at an abandoned looking farm in Normandy. He had dressed a bit more appropriately for the weather in grey cargo style trousers, heavy boots, thick wool jumper and scarf. His long black coat did have an in-built warming charm, but that didn’t stop the cold air swirling around his legs and opening up the bottom of his coat. He couldn’t do anything more to warm himself as they were unsure how far out from the property the magic detecting wards were. 

The tip-off they had claimed, when Fenrir Greyback had escaped the battle of Hogwarts, he had immediately tried to leave the country and had succeeded, aided by a pack of werewolves. They had tracked that same group to this farm in Normandy, and according to the local French Aurors they were still inside, including Greyback. Everyone was being extremely cautious about this, as the information beyond this was extremely thin. The UK Ministry Auror team had been set to watch the building for over a week now, with no sign of life apart from the very strong wards that had been detected around the place. 

Harry had mixed feelings about werewolves. He knew they were not all untrustworthy beasts, he liked to think that most were not. The way that they had been treated by the wizarding community had forced many into a life on the edge of society. Remus had been proof enough that it was possible to hold a regular life if given the opportunity and support of other wizards. The problem was when confronted with a hideous individual like Fenrir Greyback the idea of werewolves being ordinary people caught in a bad situation went out the window for most wizards. Everything he had heard about them since joining the Aurors went from bad to worse. 

He had been wrestling with his internal dilemma about the occupants of the building the whole time while he was watching. Wondering how many people were inside, and how could they get close enough to see if the wanted werewolf was actually there? Would they be given time to surrender? Cornered as they were, would they attack first or lure everyone into a trap?

He would always want to give every werewolf the chance to change, with the exception of Greyback himself. The problem was of course he probably would not get the chance to offer any of the occupants the opportunity of redemption. He was not in charge. 

The French Aurors were, and Harry had no idea what their normal procedures on rounding up werewolves involved. He had voiced his concerns to Robin, which was a big deal in itself for him. His grizzled mentor trusted his opinions, trusted his instincts, and it meant a lot to Harry that he did. In return, the veteran Auror had voiced his own concerns with the mission. Stating that his past experiences working with outside UK agencies had never had the best outcomes. That was one of the major reasons he claimed that he preferred to work under his own guidance. Harry being a newly acquired exception to that rule. He claimed Harry had an Aurors sense, an instinctive thing that could not be taught. He described it as a feeling when things were not right, like an itch under the skin, it could keep you up at night, and would not go away until the danger had passed or the case solved. It wasn’t exactly an itch for Harry but he knew exactly what he meant. 

He was feeling it right now, a horrible feeling of foreboding. The full moon was still a week away so that wasn’t it, but something was going to happen very soon, and probably. He had no way of informing his training partner of this feeling of impending danger without abandoning his post and walking over to him. He was just considering doing that when he spotted Robin walking towards him, his unmistakable limp giving him away as he approached. They nodded heads in greeting as the elder man drew close enough so they could speak quietly to each other. Harry didn’t even have to say a thing when Robin noticed his unease.

“You feeling it too eh?” He nodded sagely at his protégé. “I thought you probably would be.” He signed deeply as if he was about to relate some bad news. “I have just been informed that the fucking, French Aurors are going to take the building at twilight,” Harry noted the current position of the setting sun and guessed they had perhaps another half an hour to wait. “We are to remain outside and stun anyone who tries to escape.” The angry frustrated tone of his mentor’s voice was matched by what he himself was feeling. 

“The way I’m feeling right now, I’m just as likely to stun any Aurors who run at me as much as the suspects,” Harry admitted making Robin bark a laugh and clap him on the back. 

                  “Well, they did say, anyone. I wouldn’t bloody blame you either.” He sobered and looked grimly at the dark cluster of buildings. “I wish we had a way to look inside. This is all bollocks and no mistake. They are going in fucking blind and none of them seem the least bit bothered about it. I can’t shake the feeling this is going to be one great big fuck up.” Harry could only nod his agreement not wanting to voice his concerns once again. Harry was understandably cautious around strangers, and slower to trust than he once was, but he had felt an instant connection with this man. Likewise, the veteran had seen something in him that made him want to impart all his accumulated knowledge to him. The relationship between them was now a solid trust that neither would ever shake.  “Just do what you have been instructed to do. No matter what you see happening inside the farm you are not to approach.” he spat at the dirt. “We, unfortunately, are guests here and must maintain a good relationship with our neighbours if we want to be included in the future.”

“I know you are right,” Harry replied grimly. “But I really don’t like being left out of the action, especially when lives are at risk.”

“You will follow orders sonny.” Robin snapped at him sternly. It was the first time Robin had felt the need to talk that way and he held Harry’s gaze waiting for a response.

“Don’t worry I will. I just don’t like it, and I don’t have to agree with it.” Robin knew about Harry’s difficulty with staying out of danger or obeying what he considered bad orders. Harry had been in control of his own path for long enough to find adjusting back to following other’s instructions difficult. It was an issue he was working on, but Robin also knew if Harry agreed to do something he would stick to it. He gave him a sharp nod in acknowledgement.

“Having to trust others to do their jobs properly is, in my opinion, the most difficult thing for an Auror to do. I have come to trust you will do yours, don’t make me doubt my faith in you.”

“I’m not here to stir up trouble.” He told him, it seemed to be enough to assure his mentor as he left to take up his position at the other entrance, on the opposite side of the farm. 

As twilight approached Harry could not shake the feeling of impending doom, and it took every ounce of his self-control to stand his ground and just watch as the building exploded. 

 

 

*



Harry was not just angry, he was furious, a bubbling cauldron on the very edge of boiling over the edge. It was an emotion he had not had to deal with in quite some time. He was standing in Kingsley’s office back at the UK ministry desperately trying not to throw Kingsley’s ornaments at a wall. The French ministry’s ambassador, who was standing beside him kept glancing at him and gulping nervously. Sometimes being famous for defeating one of the darkest wizards in modern history could be an advantage when you wanted to intimidate someone, or just be left alone to silently fume. It seemed his reputation for being a powerful wizard had reached the continent. His anger was no longer the white hot furnace he had experienced while watching the events unfold, it had developed into a quietly strong smouldering burn during the time it had taken to leave the farm, and the bodies, too many bodies, and come back here. Anyone who knew him knew this was a time to worry.

Kingsley knew him well enough to recognise the tightly controlled fury in his eyes as he walked into his office accompanied by Robin and Head Auror Robards. The Minister for Magic looked weary, he had probably been at his desk since the first thing the previous morning, Harry wasn’t sure of the time now but it was more than likely approaching two am. Harry glanced at his mentor and saw the same rage reflected in his eyes. It was good to see, it made him feel right about what he was about to say. 

“They gave those people no chance; no chance at all. They slaughtered them, burned them alive.” He began speaking as soon as the minister sat down. The French minister at his side chose to add his own opinion. 

                  “Zay were arbouring a criminal.” He defended firmly. “Zee body of Greyback waz recovered at zee scene.” Kingsley raised his hand sharply, cutting the man off. He looked at Robards who was holding a copy of what looked like a hastily put together field report.

“Some of the bodies are too damaged to be visually identified. However, everyone that has been is identified as a British citizen. Greyback’s body was confirmed by the on-scene team.” The Frenchman scoffed.

“Zay are not citizens, zay are werewolves, dangerous animals,” Harry growled and walked away so he wouldn’t be tempted to punch the man, who flinched as he stormed past him. 

“There were children inside,” Robin spoke gruffly, his voice deathly calm. “You had no idea what was there. You never once tried to see if there were any innocents. It’s only pure luck that the fugitive we were after was inside at all, or did you not care. You just wanted to get rid of your pest problem.” His scarred hands were balled up into fists at his sides and he seemed to be shaking with the effort to stay calm. Seeing the trouble two of his people were having to control themselves from causing a diplomatic incident Minister Shacklebolt took charge.

“Minister Cassel. I am deeply, deeply troubled by the manner in which your Aurors saw to carry out this raid. I, of course, cannot instruct you on how to conduct your business on your own soil, but the fact that all the victims in this appear to be my citizens means my team on the field should, at the very least, have been consulted on what you were planning. Your ministry will be hearing from me about this at length. Goodbye Minister.” When the minister had left Kingsley took an audible sigh and leaned back in his chair pressing his thumb and finger to his eyes. His guard visibly relaxed in the presence of trusted former colleagues. “How bad was it?” He asked, his eyes still closed.

“Pretty fucking bad,” Robin said bluntly, no longer trying to watch his tongue. “They thew in massive fucking exploding fireballs and magically sealed the exits. Fucking cowards were frightened of a few weak raggedy families on the brink of starvation, who were probably just as frightened of the monster in their midst. The whole thing’s a huge throbbing cock-up.”

“As eloquently put as ever Rob,” Kingsley said with little humour. 

“I was not expecting this to happen.” Robards put in quickly “I was expecting them to confirm Greyback was there and then report back to me. I would never ever approve this carnage.” Kingsley nodded his agreement to reassure his head of department. They had been removed from the loop and none of them was happy about it.

“Harry and Robin I want you to write this up then go home and rest. I don’t want either of you back at work until after Christmas. This was a tough one, you should take the time to process and recover.”

“I’m fine sir,” Harry said automatically, feeling like he was being sidelined. He was getting better at controlling his anger, but everyone knew it was still within him.

“Harry, this case is finished as far as the Auror department is concerned. It will go to MLE and myself. It is a political situation now.  You don’t have to be fine to stay on the case, you don’t have to say to any of us you are doing okay when we can all see that you are not. None of us are fine with this. You did well, you are doing really well. I want you fresh to start your next case after Christmas.” He looked at him kindly “Go out and be young and have fun. If you can remember what it is like to do that.”

“Is that an order sir?”

“It’s a request. But the time off is an order. I mean it for both of you. Now go and have a good Christmas.”

 

 

*

 

 Ginny knew something had happened while Harry was on his mission, if not exactly what, the signs were all too clear that it had bothered him deeply. When they had arrived back at the Burrow most of the family were there to welcome Ginny home, including Teddy and Andromeda, but not even Teddy seemed to be able to bring him out of his darkness at first. In fact, whenever he looked at the happy smiling face of his godson it seemed to make him worse. 

Not that Teddy noticed, he looked up at Harry with such adoring eyes and a massive smile, raising his chubby arms up to be held. The trainee Auror was doig his best to smile back at his adoring face and give in to his requests for cuddles. The eight-month-old was crawling confidently now and had started pulling himself up onto his feet using furniture or legs to do so. There was no shortage of people to entertain him at the Burrow, but his favourites were definitely Harry and herself. She was holding him right now singing silly nonsense songs from a children’s book while he clapped along. Andromeda and Molly were in the Kitchen chatting. Ginny was pleased the two women had become close, Andromeda and Teddy had become regular visitors to her family home over that summer, and it had continued while she was back at school. Arthur and Percy were chatting about a new regulation that Kingsley was trying to introduce. George had come home for dinner but had left again as soon as he was finished, claiming he had a lot of work to do in the shop before the Christmas shopping would start in earnest now that the school holidays had started. Her brothers mentioned to her how hard he was working, perhaps a little harder than was totally healthy. But they all had their own ways of coping, and at least George was functioning. 

Fleur was sitting beside her, enchanting Teddy’s toys to dance along with the silly song while Bill watched on. Her brother had such love in his eyes as he watched his wife, and something else, Ginny could not identify it but it was not making him look all that happy. Fleur noticed his scrutiny and a slight flush of colour rose to her cheeks, but apart from that, she took no notice, continuing to smile and play with Teddy. 

Harry was no longer in the room with the rest of the family. After dinner, he had been sent to have a rest by her mother as he was still clearly the worse for wear. It had been obvious to everyone how emotionally drained he was and made more obvious by the fact he went to Ron's room without any complaint. Ginny looked up to see Ron and Hermione talking quietly in a corner, the concerned looks on both their faces along with the occasional look up the stairs let her know the topic of their conversation. Handing Teddy over to her sister in law she joined the couple in the corner.

“Tell me.” She demanded of her brother crossing her arms and giving him a stern look. They had stopped talking at her approach, he took a quick glance at the rest of the room and nodded standing up. All three went upstairs to go into Ginny’s room but as they climbed the stairs they heard Harry yelling out and they all rushed up to Ron’s attic room.

Harry was already awake when they crowded in, sitting upright still fully dressed on top of the covers of Ron’s bed, staring straight ahead but not seeing anything, breathing heavily with his hair plastered to his head, his wand held so tightly in his hand his knuckles were white. Ginny wasted no time and sat down beside him grabbing his head in her hands forcing him to look at her. She knew he would not be able to see her clearly without his glasses but he must have recognised her as he put his head on her shoulder wrapping his arms around her. He was taking deep breaths, trying to calm himself down. She noticed absently Ron and Hermione slowly backing out of the room giving Harry the privacy he deserved. She rubbed his back as he calmed down murmuring soothing sounds to him.

“I couldn’t save them.” He whispered into her neck. “I wanted to find a way to help them, to give them the opportunity to give themselves up. I was trying so hard to think of a way, but they never stood a chance.” She didn’t understand but she knew he just needed her to be here for him. Anger tinged his next words. “I am never going to stand by again and watch innocents die, and to hell with any orders. I can’t live with the guilt.” Obviously what had happened in France had caused fatalities and it was in his nature to want to save everyone. Ginny understood that to be as much a part of him as his messy hair and green eyes. The problem was it was never possible to save everyone and Harry had to find some way to accept that. 

She didn’t speak, she just kissed him, hoping her love could mend him again. She was his anchor, and she would remain so as long as he needed her to be. When they were together nothing else mattered and the world was a less scary place. She had a moment to ponder how long it would be before someone came to check on them before Harry’s kisses became more urgent and his hands began to wander, seeking a way under her clothes. She wanted him too, she really did but not like this, and reluctantly she pulled away from his kiss holding his hands.

“Ginny?” He pleaded his eyes full of hurt at the apparent rejection. A big part of her wanted to dive into his arms again but she held firm.

“Not here, not now.” She insisted. “I’ll come over to yours tonight okay?”

“Only if you want to, I don’t want to put any pressure on you.” He stated flatly she suppressed an impatient sigh.

“We have to stop letting our hormones talk for us. I love you. I can’t get enough of you.” She refused to admit to him that all she wanted to do was rip his shirt off and jump him. “We need to talk through stuff. I want you to be able to tell me when things bother you. I want to be able to tell you too, without feeling like I am burdening you more. I think we also need to learn to be alone together without jumping on each other.” She stood up letting his hands fall to his sides. “There has to be more to this than just the physical connection, as amazing as that is.” she noticed him nod his reluctant agreement. He was hurting right now and needed her, but this was not the place. “You have kept me waiting for you Potter. I don’t want our reunion to be a quick fumble in my brother’s bedroom.” He rubbed his hands over his sweaty head then stood up. 

                  “I need to go home take a shower, and wait for you.” He kissed her on the forehead and slipped past her. She followed him down the stairs watching as he said his goodbyes to the family. He came back to her still standing on the stairs so their eyes were at the same level. He kissed her deeply. “See you soon.” He whispered in her ear as he held her for a moment longer. Then with a final wave to her mum and Andromeda, he was out the door and away.

“Mum,” Ginny began, “Hermione and I were planning on starting our Christmas shopping tomorrow. She says there’s a great shopping centre near her house so I was going to stay over at hers tonight, alright?” She wasn’t asking for permission, she was of age so she didn’t need to really. Her mother looked slightly disgruntled.

“But you are just home my dear. Surely there is plenty of time for that another day?” Her mother sounded hopeful she would change her mind. Ginny was surprised that Andromeda spoke up for her.

“The youngsters don’t want to hang about with the likes of us, Molly. Merlin knows they haven’t had much opportunity to be young and have fun these past years.” The elder lady snuck a wink at Ginny and her mother nodded. Resigned to the fact her only daughter no longer wanted to spend every minute with her. She was just about to go grab a bag to pack a few things when Ron wandered in stretching his arms over his head and yawning spectacularly. 

                  “Harry’s a bit shook up mum, I’m going to stay over at his. He shouldn’t be alone right now.” The siblings shared a look that their mother failed to see. Harry wouldn’t be alone tonight but it wouldn’t be with his best mate. To Ginny’s annoyance Molly didn’t question this at all, just made up a parcel of food, including a treacle tart, for him to take with him. Slightly huffily Ginny marched back up the stairs to her room wondering when her mother was going to let her live her own life. 

 

*

 

When Ginny arrived at Harry’s flat she noticed immediately the changes he had made. Music was playing in the living room. Trinkets and some pieces of furniture she recognised from the boxes now had places. She noticed the portrait of the marauders was hanging in the hall. A table in front of it held three ring boxes, they waved and said hello to her warmly. She paused before them looking at the three identical polished wooden cubes, she had seen one of them before and knew it had belonged to Remus, it seemed obvious now that they all had owned one. She resisted the urge to pick them up and see Padfoot and Prongs’ rings, it would be a terrible invasion. Even if she knew he wouldn’t mind, she wanted to ask first. Walking into the living room she noticed more homely touches and saw framed photographs now filled the mantelpiece. A few she recognised, one caught her immediate attention and brought a lump to her throat. It was of the original DA standing in the room of requirement, Harry standing in the front looking serious with a slight defiant twinkle in his eyes, she remembered it being taken by Colin who had set up a timer. The small blonde boy beamed at her from the photograph standing proudly beside Harry. She felt a sudden surge of guilt, she had hardly spared a thought for him in a while. Her grief was there as it was for all those she had been close to, but somehow losing Fred had been more, it was a complicated mix of emotions.

When she turned around she noticed Harry was lying on the couch wearing a loose pair of jogging bottoms and a black t-shirt, he had an arm slung over his eyes as he lay on his back sleeping. His glasses were resting on the table with two wine glasses and an unopened bottle, condensation beading on its long green neck. She didn’t want to wake him suddenly he could be jumpy if he was startled. 

                  “Harry?” She called leaning over the back of the sofa. His arm moved up slightly and one eye opened to squint at her. 

                  “It’s okay, I knew it was you my wards won’t let anyone else in right now.” He reached out a hand to her and when she took it he pulled her over the top of the sofa so she was lying on top of him, noses almost touching. “Hi,” He said in a very deep husky voice. “Welcome home Gin.” He kissed her nose playfully, she wanted to kiss him back but she was not comfortable where she was lying so she clambered off and sat on the floor to remove her boots, and thick winter socks. As she stretched her legs forward her bare feet sunk into the thick pile of the rug that lay under the coffee table. Harry swept a hand across her shoulders gathering her hair to flow over one shoulder and planted a kiss on her exposed neck. She grabbed his hand still resting on her shoulder and kissed it. “You wanted to talk,” he mumbled into her ear, “let’s talk.”

“I asked Ron about your mission. He told me he couldn’t say much, just that he knew everyone came back in a rage about it.” He hadn’t stopped kissing her neck and ear, but he paused for a moment before continuing down onto her shoulder pulling her top to the side exposing more skin. 

“I can still feel the anger about it, it’s not fully gone. It’s not something I can share details about with you. But I do want to share how it made me feel.” She was trying to concentrate on his words but his hands had grabbed the hem of her top and he pulled it up over her head without any protest from her. She enjoyed the way his fingers were skimming along her shoulders, tracing patterns in the freckled skin. 

“So, how did it make you feel?” She asked when he hadn’t spoken again for a while.

“Angry, mostly, and really powerless. I was ordered not to take any action, I just had to stand and watch.”

“That must’ve been so hard for you.” Of all the things Harry was, he was definitely not the kind to stand aside. He tangled a hand through her long hair and she grabbed the back of his head as he kissed along her jawline. He paused again and touched the silvery fine scar that ran into her hair from behind her ear, she hissed slightly in pain at the touch.

“I haven’t noticed this before, you didn’t tell me about it when you spoke about your other scars.”

“It’s not a war scar, it happened years ago. I was about seven I think.” She breathed, the memory was painful for different reasons than the obvious. “Fred and George tried to pull a prank on me by putting toads in my bed. I was not impressed and when Fred stood at my bedroom door laughing. I launched myself at him and fell down the stairs.” She could still remember his look of shock as he stepped out her way but her momentum carried her forward, she had bounced, for the most part, her magic protecting her, but a sharp edge had broken the skin.  “Bill was supposed to be looking after us and he fixed me up before mum came home but it left a small scar that’s a little sensitive to touch.” Thinking about those things now was tinged with sadness, anything to do with Fred was. She felt his soft lips press ever so gently against it and she shivered.

“I’m sorry if talking about him upsets you.” He started but she shook her head.

“It’s better to talk about him. We all know how big a personality he had, we can’t and won’t forget him. Talking about him keeps the memories alive, the happy fun things we did together.” His hands started to rub at her neck and shoulders working out tension she didn’t even know was there. “This was not really the reunion I had dreamed of.” Then hummed in pleasure as his fingers worked out a particular knot. “That feels really good.”

“I was reading a Quidditch training book that said players, especially chasers, can carry a lot of tension in their shoulders.” He was sitting up now a leg at either side of her, his thumbs pressing into her tight muscles. “I was thinking about what you said earlier, in Ron’s room and you are right. I want to be here for you Gin. I don’t want you to feel like I am using you to numb my pain.” His fingers slid into her hair and he started to massage her scalp. “You mean everything to me. You make me feel so comfortable and relaxed, and you are so hot I can’t stop myself from wanting to touch you all the time. I can’t believe how lucky I am that you want to be with me.” She tilted her head back loving the feel of his fingers pressing against her skull.

“We are all in pain right now, all of us.” She replied to him. His lips kissed her closed eyelids, his hands still in her hair but now just playing with it. “Don’t think for one second I don’t want to do it just as much as you do. It’s a comfort for both of us. I just wanted you to understand, so we can work on it together.” She spun around to face him, from this position her eyes were level with his belly button, still hidden by his clothes. Emerald eyes looked down at her with love and desire.

“I do Gin, I will.” She took the bottom of his shirt in her hands and lifted. His Auror training was toning his slender body. She ran a hand along his chest and down the line of hair that disappeared behind the waistband of his trousers, feeling along the soft fabric to the hardening bulge within. She looked up at him as she did this to see him bite his lip, and his eyes close. She raised herself up on her knees so she could plant kisses on his pecs.

“You have spent so much time with your head between my legs.” She felt the heat rise in her cheeks as she said this but carried on. “I think it’s time I returned the favour.”

“As long as I can take you to my bedroom after.”

Notes:

Comments are what keeps a writer going and I love you all for reading.