Actions

Work Header

Dangan Ronpa : Avenging Despair

Summary:

A Dangan Ronpa fan killing game with 16 original characters locked in a mysterious summer resort.

Follow Hayato Seiki, the Ultimate Author as he and his classmates try to survive Monokuma's killing game.

Written in script style and inspired by the works of Kitt_Monroe, Magorgle, Koopakirby and Squidgelatinous.

Readers will have their say in free-time events and trials will be interactive.

Character sprites by the talented Cometshina and Shortcakecrow.

I will try to update this as frequently as possible so come check every once in a while!

Discord server : https://discord.gg/vcNjFbf

Currently on : Chapter 6 Class Trial

Chapter 1: Prologue : Just Short Of Paradise (Part 1)

Notes:

More notes at the end!

Some reminders of the format:

{Curly Brackets} = A form of action, either a description of a scene or an animation of a character

{Bold curly brackets} = An in-game action : IE Talk to someone or move to some place

Italics = Our main character's thoughts and narration

Normal text = Dialogue

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

________________________

 

Prologue : Just Short of Paradise

 

________________________

 

Hope’s Peak Academy…

To be honest, I still could not believe I got in. The academy is the most prestigious center of education in the country!

 

One does not just apply at Hope’s Peak, no no that would be too easy. The school will scout you if they are interested and god knows you’re lucky if you get scouted.

 

The real reason this school is so illustrious is the requirement of entry. For the school to scout you, you have to be the absolute best in your field, whatever that field is. If you have a special talent, anything in which you are clearly above the rest of the world, Hope’s Peak Academy is the place for you.

 

The students who join each year are already super talented, but apparently they graduate with even more mastery that they came in with. This school will help you flourish, and become a real ultimate!

 

I finally arrived at the premises, after a whole summer of excitement, I cannot wait to pass the big metal doors and finally join the elite of the elite. One step at a time, I got closer and closer to the building of my dreams, it was gigantic, even better than I expected.

 

Alright, no time to waste let’s get in there!

 

Those were my last words, before I set a foot in the Academy. As soon as I did, my vision became blurry and before I knew it I hit the floor.

 

???: What is… happening…

 

All the hope I thought this place would bring me vanished in an instant, as I drifted away from consciousness, I knew something was wrong, very wrong, but it was too late…

 

it was too late…

 

too late…

 

too… late…

 

 

 

 

 

_______________________

 

???: Ngh, I’m… I’m alive.

 

That’s a relief.

 

???: Where am I? What is this place?

 

???: This looks nothing like Hope’s Peak Academy.

 

I was in a room, well it looked a bit like a holiday bungalow, you know the type. I should look around, maybe I’ll find some kind of clue of where I am.

 

Investigation Begins

 

{Examine bed}

 

???: This is the bed I woke up on, it looks pretty old and only has a very light blanket on it. I guess it is pretty warm in here, so anything heavier would be too hot. Nothing else seems out of the ordinary.

 

My head hurts so much, I’d kill for a 15 minutes nap… Argh I need to concentrate and find a way out of this place.

 

{Examine bathroom door}

 

???: This door says “Bathroom” So I’ll assume that’s what it is. I’ll take a little look just to make sure.

 

{Move to bathroom}

 

???: Well it’s pretty small, but it will do, I don’t know how long I’m staying here but it seems just fine. There’s a toilet seat and a shower, what else would I need! I guess it’s my lucky day!

 

I try to remain positive in situations like these in which I’m lost, but I’ll have to admit being so overjoyed by the discovery of a shitter is a new low even for me.

 

{Move to bedroom}

 

???: Alright what else can I find here…?

 

{Examine bedside table}

 

???: There’s just a plain lamp on the table itself, what about in the drawers…? Oh, I’ve found something but what is it?

 

It looks like some sort of tablet, let me try to turn it on, hang on…

 

Oh wow, it worked and here’s a flashy loading screen. Well it tells me to wait so I’ll wait, what else is there in this room?

 

{Examine camera and monitor}

 

???: Now what the hell is this? Am I being filmed?

 

Because that’s not utterly terrifying… Either way I should look at it closer. I’ve never been good with technology but I’m sure if I get really close I’ll find out how to turn this thing off, I’d rather not have anyone see me sleep if I have a choice.

 

???: Shall we take a look at this bad boy… Hmmm let’s see.

 

Cheerful ponytail girl: {Smiles} Ah great you woke up!

 

???: G-gahhh

 

I fell on my ass, definitely not my proudest moment but she startled the bejesus out of me!

 

Cheerful ponytail girl: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Did I scare you?? {Bites lip} My bad!

 

Damn, she’s really cute… She has a very chill yet professional look, with her white shirt and red tie, she also wears a grey cashmere sweater on top. She keeps that very organised look going with her blond ponytail, perfectly straight and well put together.

 

Ok alright, I don’t wanna seem like I was as terrified as I really was, let’s make a good first impression.

 

???: It’s all good, I just didn’t hear you open the door.

 

Cheerful ponytail girl: {Bites lip} Sorry, I thought you might still be sleeping, so I tried being quiet. {Smiles} You were fast asleep on the floor when we found you so I had Kenji put you in the bed.

 

Kenji…? No idea who that is. Anyways I should ask her the question that’s on my mind.

 

???: I’m sorry but who are you, and where are we exactly?

 

Cheerful ponytail girl: {Centers Tie} It’s true I haven’t introduced myself, well my name is Hikari Hisano, nice to meet you! And to answer where we are I have no idea, I woke up in a room just like you!

 

Hikari, that’s a nice name… Wait a sec, if she’s like me is she…?

 

???: The last thing I remember was heading in to my first day at Hope’s Peak…

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Oh my god same here, and the other said the exact same thing! {Scribbles in notepad} What a strange coincidence.

 

There are others?

 

 

???: If you were also going to Hope’s Peak, are you an ultimate student as well?

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Absolutely, haha sorry I should have said so earlier, I am the Ultimate Journalist!

 

{Ultimate Journalist Title Card}

 

Hikari Hisano, the Ultimate Journalist. I read about her during the summer. I have to admit it is a bit sad, but I was so excited for back to school day, I looked online for some my classmates, I wanted to know just who I was dealing with.

 

Her father was the director of one of the biggest newspaper of the country, she started writing for the paper when she was 5 just to try it out, and she was great at it. Since then, she has been on some of the biggest scoops and cases. She is now second in command in the newspaper and will surely take the directorial spot when her father retires.

 

Hikari: {Blushes} Enough about me… {Smiles} What about you, what is your talent? And your name, silly me I haven’t even asked you!

 

My talent and my name? Incredibly enough I never even thought to ask myself that question… Well, luckily enough I seem to remember exactly who I am, that is all I recall frankly, but at least I am not in a Jason Bourne type situation.

 

???: My name… my name is Hayato Seiki, and I’m the Ultimate Author.

 

That’s it, Ultimate Author, that’s my talent. It’s quite similar to Hikari’s I guess, but my journey has been very different.

 

I wasn’t born in a wealthy journalist family like she was. My parents were very ordinary, and firmly against me writing. I only started a couple years ago, after all, I’ve never been a very social guy, so I thought this was a way out of the routine.

 

I write murder mysteries mostly, I never thought I was particularly good, but I had these gruesome ideas and then the words just flowed on the paper. I went to a small publisher just to get feedback. Flash forward to a couple of years later and here I am, having won most of the Literature prizes I’ve been nominated for.

 

That’s me, Hayato Seiki. Quite a boring life story but… That’s who I am.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Well, it’s great to meet you Hayato, I love your talent by the way, I think that between writers we’re gonna be good friends!

 

Yes please.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notepad} Anyways, the others are waiting why don’t I show you the way to the Aula so you can introduce yourself!

 

Ugh, more people, I don’t particularly like people, but I guess I have to don’t I? Alright let’s go then.

 

Hayato: Here I come.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Yay, ok, let’s get going.

 

I have been wondering though...

 

Hayato: Can I just ask you, how are you so cheerful, in the situation we’re in?

 

Hikari: Well, why would I not be, look where we are!

 

Where we are?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Oh, you haven’t looked through the window have you? {Smiles} This might be why you’re so grim!

 

Out the window? Let’s take a peak shall we…

 

{Examine Window}

 

Just gotta open the blinds and…

 

I never would have expected what I saw next.

 

I was looking at a huge swimming pool. Palm trees were surrounding it. In the background, a beach with golden sand. The sun was shining and the sky was perfectly blue.

 

Hayato: Damn, where the hell are we?

 

Hikari: {Laughs} I don’t know but it sure seems we’re close to paradise! Either way, we can sulk and admire it later, for now let’s go meet the others shall we!

 

Hayato: Let’s.

 

{Move to Hallway}

 

This place really looks like some kind of holiday center, the walls are super thick but look quite fragile. the roof is see through so I can see the perfection of the blue sky. I think I like this place. Hikari’s right, it really seems almost paradisiac.

 

IF there is one thing that bothered me, it’s that in front of my door there was some kind of pixelated image of my face. How weird… I realised it was the same on all the other rooms. I recognised Hikari’s face but that’s about it… Let me think, Is there anyone I recognise from my research?

 

Tarzan look alike: {Raises eyebrow} HERE YOU ARE HIKARI!

 

AHH!

 

 

Second time I’ve been scared to death today, can’t people just make sure I’m ready before they scream.

 

Tarzan look alike: {Cracking fists} What the fuck took you so long! Oh, I see Mr Sleepyhead woke up.

 

Hayato: Yeah, that’s me! Sorry I kept you waiting I guess?

 

Tarzan look alike: {Snickers} You should thank the guy who got you from the floor to your bed, you looked fucking pathetic crumbled on the floor.

 

Oh, thank you?

 

Hayato: R-right right thanks. You must be Kenji then, I presume.

 

Kenji: {Scratches Head with playful smile} In person, I’m Kenji Kimata, THE ULTIMATE SURVIVOR!!

 

{Ultimate Survivor Title Card}

 

 

Kenji Kimata, of course I’d heard of him. He has multiple TV shows on how to survive in the wild and what not. He’s lived through nightmares out of the pleasure of these rough conditions. Some call him a civilized form of Tarzan and I see the resemblance. With his strong build, long hair and open shirt to reveal his muscular torso.

 

Hayato: It’s nice to meet you, you look even bigger in person I must say.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} You’ve seen some of my shows? HOW SICK!

 

MAKES me sick is how I’d describe what you do but let’s move on.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Anyfuck, we need to get going, the others are all waiting in the Main Aula. LET’S NOT WAIT!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Let’s go, then I’m sure the rest of the group will want to meet our resident author.

 

That’s me… Doesn’t sound as cool as survivor though does it?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Alright Jane Austen, don’t make me wait, I’m guessing sports not your thing, but you’re lucky there’s only one flight of stairs to climb down.

 

Ouch.

 

Hayato: My name’s Hayato Seiki, by the way.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Cool, don’t remember asking. I SAID LET’S GO, SO LET’S FUCKING GO!!

 

I’m not gonna cross Kenji because he’s terrifying but jesus. He seems to get pretty rude at times but overall, I guess he looks like a good enough guy.

 

Hayato: Ok, I’m right behind you, where are we going?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} The aula, silly! Now shh and walk

 

Yes mam...

 

{Move to Room hallway}

 

{Move to second floor}

 

{Move to Aula}

 

Hikari: {Passionate Stance} Everyone, we’re back!!!

 

Everyone turned out to be two people, a blond guy wearing a white driving outfit, and a dark skinned girl with a big backpack and quite flashy clothes.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Where the fuck is everyone else!?

 

Backpack girl: {Sceptical} Umm, bonne question, I believe they were tired of waiting and left.

 

Hikari: {Sad} All of them left? But I wasn’t that slow was I?

 

Driver Guy: {Looks to side} I don’t know man, it’s just a little tense, Guess some people didn’t like not knowing where they were.

 

Hayato: So none of you guys have a clue of where we are or what happened?

 

Backpack girl: {Searches through backpack} Nein nein, we are just as confused as I presume you are… mister?

 

Hayato: Oh sorry, I’m Hayato Seiki, Ultimate Author.

 

Driver Guy: {Shocked} No way, you’re also an Ultimate student?

 

Hayato: Yup, guess I am.

 

Backpack girl: {Stroking chin} Then we can say this is no совпадение…

 

Can’t we stick to one language please, I’ll try asking politely...

 

Hayato: No what sorry? You’re not from Japan are you…?

 

Backpack girl: {Smiling with thumbs up} My bad haha, I forgot to introduce myself how oförskämd of me. My name’s Jessie Shadow, from the good old United States of America, I’m the Ultimate Translator.

 

{Ultimate Translator Title Card}


 

 

Translator huh, that would explain the weird languages. What about the other guy, he looks slightly... worried?

 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} What about you Kôzuke, why don’t you introduce yourself.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} What sorry? Oh yeah, guess I should do that for the new guy. Sorry man, Kôzuke Shigetaka, Ultimate F1 Driver.

 

{Ultimate F1 Driver Title Card}

 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} So, you have no idea where the others went?

 

Jessie: {Smiling with thumbs up} Nope, sorry.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I’d just look around the building if I were you man, they must be scattered somewhere close to here.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Well I’m waiting here, cannot be asked to go scavenger hunt for those fuckers.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Not a problem, Hayato and I can go look for them, isn’t that right Hayato?

 

Hayato: Y-yeah sure let’s go.

 

With that, I waved bye to the three I just met and we got a move on.

 

{Move to Cafeteria}

 

Wow, this thing is huge. There a dozens of tables laid out in a very orderly fashion. I can see two people, I should go talk to them before examining anything else.

 

{Talk to Yellow Dress lady}

 

Hayato: Hey there, I guess I was the last one to wake up so I thought I’d come around to everyone and say hi you know, so um hi. I’m Hayato Seiki, Ultimate Author.

 

Yellow Dress Lady: {Yawns} What?

 

Are you kidding me...

 

Hayato: Um did you not hear me… Should I introduce myself again ?

 

Yellow Dress Lady: Oh no. No , that’s fine.

 

Hayato: What… what do you mean that’s fine?

 

Yellow Dress Lady: {Sips on coffee} It means I really don’t care who you are, so if you could get out my face please, that’d be sweet.

 

What a little brat… Deep breathing... Keep calm Hayato, you want to build good relations with these people.

 

Hayato: Can I at least ask for your name, and talent or is that too much ?

 

Rina: {Spits Coffee} Wha?? You meant you don’t know Rina Ishido, the best actress E. V. E. R.

 

{Ultimate Actress Title Card}

 

 

My face… it burns. That coffee was burning hot.

 

 

Hayato: S-sorry...

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Hayato, don’t tell me you haven’t heard of her?

 

Truth is I have, it is impossible to have missed her the past couple of years. Rina Ishido, the child star turned teen star turned best movie star. She has starred in most of the top grossing movies this year, critics say her acting range is incredible. She has such a refreshing image on TV, I wasn’t expecting such a brat to be honest.

 

Rina: {Pretends to faint) Don’t you forget it. I am the closest you’ve ever been to a celebrity, you poser.

 

Hayato: Sure… Well great talking to you.

 

Rina: {Yawns} Umph, yeah you can leave now.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Well, looks your found a new best friend Hayato hehe.

 

Hayato: I really hope she’ll get nice over time.

 

Cause right now… I feel like she only cares about herself. Hopefully that’s just an impression.

Anyways, there is someone else in the room I should try talking to.

 

{Talk to Bandana and Fanny Pack}

 

Hayato: Hi I’m Hayato and this is Hikari! Mind telling me who you are?

 

Bandana and fanny pack : {Deep in thought} Um what? Oh heya, I’ve met Hikari before but I don’t think I know you {Smile and peace sign with hand} I’m Kyia Taro, my thing’s parkour. It’s super nice to meet you bro!

 

{Ultimate Parkour Artist Title Card}

 

He’s imposing, quite tall and muscled. He is what I would have expected for a parkour guy. Jeans, white tank top, and long messy white hair kept in place by a bandana. Pretty stylish.

 

Hayato: I’m Hayato Seiki, Ultimate Author, I write books and so on you know the drill.

 

Hikari: {Centers tie} You make it sound so boring, put some emotion into it for god’s sake!

 

Kyia: {Laughs covering eyes with hand} Hahaha, it’s chill it’s chill, author sounds fun, pretty sure I’ve seen your face in bookstores before. {Big smile} Cool cool, I like the sound of this group! Plus have you seen where we are? I’m so happy!

 

This guy seems cheery, that’s good, changes from some of the other people I’ve met so far. I’ll continue making conversation.

 

Hayato: So tell me about parkour? What is it you do?

 

Kyia: {Deep in though} Hmmm, great question {Searches fanny pack} well… {Claps with powder} I use this chalk powder to avoid slipping and I just roll with it. No method, I just freestyle and see what happens. {Big smile} I just love feeling like there is no boundary, and no obstacle I can’t overcome.

 

He’s really passionate about what he’s saying, even though he is blabbering a little. I am gonna start getting asthma attacks if he doesn’t stop putting this powder everywhere though…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notepad} Kyia has won many freerunning competitions all over the country, that’s what got him the title of Ultimate. Pretty talented isn’t he.

 

Kyia: {Blushing} Stop stop, you’re gonna make me blush!

 

Too late for that my friend, a tomato would be jealous of you right now.

 

Hikari: Kyia’s the first person I met when I woke up Hayato, I can guarantee you he’s trustworthy.

 

Kyia: Awww, thank you princess.

 

Princess? This guy’s definitely trying to impress her. I-I’m not jealous at all… Doesn’t matter though, it’s true he seems like a guy I can trust.

 

Hayato: It’s nice to know I can count on you then. My head still hurts and right now I’m pretty bloody lost.

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} B-bloody, what do you… {Smile and peace hand} Oh oh my bad haha sorry I must have misheard!

 

...

 

A really awkward silence followed, I looked at Hikari she was as confused as me. What the hell was that reaction?

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} Anyways, you guys should go and see the others, I’m sure Hayato hasn’t met everybody yet. I’ll be there if you need anything.

 

Hayato: Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind!

 

Hikari: {Smile} Nice guy don’t you think?

 

Hayato: Yeah, I like him, he seems alright.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Ok then, let’s go find the others! You still have not introduced yourself to everyone!

 

Hayato: Is that really necessary, I mean I will meet them either way so I mean…

 

Hikari: {Smile} Stop talking loser, let’s get going.

 

I guess I really have no choice. I should continue looking around.

 

{Move to Hallway}

 

Hikari: {Looking through camera lense} Alrighty, see the stairs to your left, these go to the roof area. Why don’t we go there?

 

I guess it wouldn’t hurt to get an idea of the surroundings and the roof might be a good place to start.

 

Hayato: Ok let’s do it.

 

Hikari: Now that I think of it, you’re not too bad of a sidekick you know!

 

Hayato: Hey, how am I the sidekick, you’re the one following me around.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} I’m following you around mister, because if I didn’t you would have been antisocial and not talked to anyone.

 

Hayato: Well, that’s not entirely true...

 

Hikari: You know it is though, let’s just go. You talk too much and it’s not like what comes out of your mouth isn’t particularly smart sooo...

 

She is teasing me way too much. Is that a good thing when pretty girls tease you??

Argh, I’m over thinking it. Anyways we should get moving.

 

{Move to Rooftop}

 

Hhh, Hhh, how… how long was this staircase. I am so out of breath and oh god… Hikari looks perfectly fine, ok Hayato don’t be stupid, the trick is not to look exhausted…

 

Hikari: {Laughs} Haha, I guess Kenji was right in assuming you don’t do much sports, wasn’t he?

 

Hmm, That plan’s out of the window now.

 

Hayato: Well, I mean I try occasionally, but it’s not easy with my schedule you know and like…

 

Hikari: {Smiles} I’m kidding, don’t worry, the staircase is excessively long but we are quite high up right now, this might be why. You might have noticed a door was locked on the way up here. There might be a floor we can’t access just yet.

 

Hayato: Yeah I guess you’re right. The thing is...

 

That sentence never ended up coming out. That’s because only then, did I realise I hadn’t looked out carefully yet. This place is enormous. There are 5 main buildings, all different colours. The whole place looks like a huge holiday resort. A big swimming pool caught my attention, but everything else is there, palm trees, a small beach and a perfectly blue sky.

 

Hikari: {Softly} This place is really really nice don’t you think?

 

Hayato: Yeah, it looks really luxurious I find. Have you guys tried exploring the other buildings yet?

 

Hikari: {Looks down} No, the doors to the outside are locked and there is no other way out. Going down from the roof would be impossible we are too high and the windows are sentenced

 

Whaaa, well what’s the point of leaving us in such a paradise if we can’t enjoy it. Fuck’s sake…

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Doesn’t matter we’ll find a way out eventually right? Now, now, let’s stop stalling and go talk to the people out here.

 

Hayato: Ugh, do I have to?

 

She only looked at me with a menacing glare, mmh guess I don’t have much of a choice. Alright let’s make this brief.

 

{Talk to Weird hair boy}

 

This guy’s hair is… interesting. It’s very long on top and reaches down to his shoulders but it’s completely shaved on the sides. I had heard of the undercut but this is a new level. His clothes are also quite extravagant with red and yellow overalls.

 

Weird hair boy: {Poses} Howdy ho, lady and gent, I presume y'all came to see my show.

 

Hayato: Show? I don’t know what you’re talking about.

 

Weird hair boy: {Juggles balls with one hand, thoughtful expression} You’re not here to see me perform…? Whatever, guess you ain’t be knowin’ who I am yet.

 

What is this manner of speech? such a thick accent…

 

Weird hair boy: {Bows} You’re speakin’ with Yoshi Akeno AKA the greatest circus performer who's ever graced our planet.

 

{Ultimate Circus Performer Title Card}

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Yoshi is really famous in the circus industry. That’s because he can basically do anything in the business.

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Darn straight, from clowning to the trapeze I’m da man for da job.

 

Sounds cool… I’m guessing it was a lot of work to get to his level. This guy still seem a bit out there though. I guess he just is extravagant. Not surprising from a circus freak.

 

Hayato: Well nice to meet you Yoshi, I’m Hayato Seiki, the ultimate author!

 

Yoshi: {Flips hair} You are nowhere near my level, my friend. I reckon my talent is the coolest one around, and y'all can’t be doin’ nothing to change my mind!

 

Ok then… A bit full of himself isn’t he?

 

Hayato: So Yoshi, any idea how you got here?

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand with thoughtful expression} Nah, sorry mate, I ain’t rememberin’ nuttin… I just woke up in one of them rooms and the rest, now that’s history.

 

 

Hikari: {Centers Tie} I guess we still have no clue where we are or what we are doing here then do we?

 

Yoshi: True that girly, but the Yosh' don’t mind that at all, I’m in a perfect place to do some practicin’ , know what I’m sayin’?

 

Guess he’s right this could have been a lot worse in term of location choice. Still I wouldn’t mind knowing why I’m here.

 

Yoshi: {Arms extended over head} Okidoki, I’m gonna go be practicin’ now. Asta la vista my peeps!

 

He waved goodbye and went back to juggling.

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} Well, we still have other people to meet so let’s get moving!

 

True, there is a girl staring at the horizon, she looks deep in thought but I should introduce myself… or Hikari will kill me.

 

{Talk to Serious Kimono Girl}

 

Once I got a bit closer and I saw her face, I really had to muster the courage to go talk to this girl… She looks seriously pissed off and I definitely don’t think I want to mess with her. She has this menacing aura around her it’s pretty terrifying.

 

Ok Hayato, let’s begin mission “stop being afraid of people and socialise”! I’ll just be normal and I don’t know shake her hand.

 

Hayato: Hi, I’m Hayato Seiki, I woke up a little after the others so I came to introduce myself…

 

Serious Kimono Girl: {Dark Look, pulls out kunai} Don’t come any closer.

 

Abort mission, I repeat Abort Mission, I am too young to die.

 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Fusume, we come in peace haha, you can drop down your guard!

 

Serious kimono girl: {Uninterested} Sorry. I am slightly on edge, didn’t mean to frighten you two.

 

Hikari: {Unimpressed} Hayato, come back here now.

 

I might have slightly overreacted so I came out of my retreat spot under a table.

 

 

Huh, on the table there was a postcard, it read “Greetings from the Holidays Of Peaceful Existence Resort”. What a shitty name. At least that gives me some sort of indication of where we are.

 

Serious kimono girl: {Finger on lip} I do not like this place. We must all be careful as the dangers are unknown. I will do my best to protect every one of us, this is my pledge as Ultimate Ninja as I, Fusume Ebisawa will make sure we remain safe.

 

{Ultimate Ninja Title Card}

 

Ninja huh… I thought these only existed in anime and fiction in general. I guess she does fit the image of a ninja. One way or another I will definitely not be messing with her in the near future. She really has that “I could kill you in a second” look and I will not test it.

 

Hikari: {Centers tie} So Fusume tell us, how did you get the title of Ultimate Ninja?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} It is a long story… much too long to be told. Maybe I will reveal it to you one day, but let’s just say it is not all pretty…

 

Ok… Is she gonna speak in riddles all the time or what? Anyways I have no time to lose, we still have some people to talk to.

 

Hayato: Why don’t we go find our remaining classmates Hikari?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Somebody’s a little scare of ninja girl isn’t he?

 

Hayato: N-no that’s not it let’s just go please!

 

Hikari: Haha, let’s go then.

 

I guess she just is too intimidating for me, anyways one more person to talk to here. I want to get this over with.

 

{Talk to ballet dancer}

 

Hayato: Hi there, we haven’t been introduced.

 

Ballet dancer: {Trembles} a-ah, s-sorry… I’m so s-sorry.

 

 

Here we go… another weirdo. Is anybody normal in this place.

 

Hayato: What are you sorry about? I didn’t say anything did I?

 

Ballet dancer: You’re right, s-sorry, I am so s-stupid. Over… over… over reacting as u-usual

 

Hikari: {Smiles} It’s all good don’t worry Oriana, why don’t you introduce yourself huh?

 

Ballet dancer: {Cries} S-sorry sorry. I s-should have done that uh… s-sooner

 

Just. Introduce. Yourself. God.

 

Ballet dancer: {Cute smile} I’m Oriana Akiba, s-sorry it took so long to come out…

 

Hayato: I’m guessing from your outfit you do ballet right?

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} a-ah, s-sorry yeah t-that’s right.

 

{Ultimate Ballet Dancer Title Card}

 

Finally, I got her name and talent, only took about 15 apologies.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Oriana is super super talented, isn’t that right?

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} N-no I wouldn't g-go that far… s-sorry.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} I mean, you’re the star of the Tokyo Ballet Ensemble, that’s a pretty big deal! Don’t you think so Hayato?

 

Hayato: Y-yeah yeah totally!

 

It’s basically impossible not to feel awkward around this girl though…

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} R-really, thank you s-so much. {Cries} Um, I’m n-not used to such kind words.

 

At the same time, she’s so adorable it’s hard to resist that smile. I just feel like I have to make sure she is happy. I’m not sure what she is doing to me but it’s working.

 

Oriana: {Trembling} D-did I do something wrong? Y-you’re uh… looking at me weird.

 

Hayato: No no don’t worry about it. I was just lost in thought.

 

Exactly what I wanted to avoid, well done me.

 

Oriana: Oh ok. Uh… S-sorry.

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip} Oriana, tell me, do you know where everybody else is. We’re looking to have a meeting with the whole group now that we’re all here.

 

Hayato: Wait how do you know that the group is complete?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Easy. There are 16 rooms, and with you there are 16 people. You follow?

 

Yeah I guess that makes sense…

 

Oriana: {Bites nail with thoughtful expression} W-well, I don’t know about the uh… others. I think I saw some p-people go through that d-door, I uh… think.

 

Hayato: Thank you, that helps.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Ok then we’ll catch you later Oriana.

 

Oriana: A-alright. It was nice um talking to uh… you guys.

 

Hayato: Let’s get going. She said through this door right?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Yup yup. Pretty sure this red door leads to this secluded area. Fun fact, it is connected to some changing rooms. {Smiles} Don’t quite know why though.

 

It does seem quite random. Well either way, I’d rather examine it myself. Let’s go.

 

{Move to Rooftop Room}

 

As soon as we got in it, I heard some shouting. Pretty intense one at that. There are two girls and one guy in the center of the room

 

Elegant guy: You just never listen! I told you I meant nothing wrong.

 

Fancy girl: {Fans face with frustrated expression} How dare you say that to me! You just go around talking to other girls, and it’s just to make me jealous! I. Know. It.

 

Elegant guy: {Innocent smile} Come on now, I was literally introducing myself. Just that.

 

Umbrella woman: {Heart with hands} You have got to believe him mylady, he did nothing wrong.

 

Fancy girl: Shut up you witch! I know what you are. You are trying to manipulate me. I. Know. It

 

Damn, I really don’t wanna intervene but…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Guys, guys, what’s going on here.

 

Elegant guy: {Bends over with finger pointing} Argh, Hikari you have got to come help me. Explain to Yoko…

 

Fancy girl: {Hysteric} HERE YOU GO AGAIN, FLIRTING WITH THE FIRST GIRL YOU SEE, YOU DICK.

 

This girl is a bit of a psycho isn't she. That was not flirting in the slightest. Goddamn jealous people…

 

Hikari: Raiko, let’s go we should just let them sort this by themselves.

 

Umbrella woman: {Hits on cigarette} phhhh, sure, let’s give them some space.

 

Elegant guy: Just calm down please.

 

Fancy girl: {Tearing up} I can’t believe you’d do this to me.

 

Elegant guy: {Face covered by hat} DO WHAT? What have I done for god’s sake. {Rests on cane} Just calm down!

 

We definitely should give them some time.

 

 

We went on the little balcony adjacent to the room we were in.

 

Well that was worrying enough, I didn’t think I’d see people bickering this early.

 

Hayato: So do these two know each other or what? This seemed pretty deep.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Do they know each other? You’re kidding right?

 

No…?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} You really are clueless aren’t you Hayato. These two are Shinto Masada and Yoko Kurisu, they are known as the Ultimate Couple.

 

{Ultimate Couple Title Card}

 

 

 

 

Ultimate couple? I guess that explains the domestic dispute.

 

Hikari: They used to be everywhere on TV, they fell in love when they were two years old and have been together ever since, it’s such a cute story. {Heart eyes} I can’t handle this much cuteness, hold me Hayato I might faint.

 

You better not… I am not ready to handle that right now.

 

Umbrella Woman: {Hits on cigarette} Mmmph, did not seem that much in love to me.

 

Jesus, I forgot she was here. That girl just creates a very creepy atmosphere. I don't feel at ease around here that's for sure.

 

Hayato: Sorry I don’t think I got your name? Mind introducing yourself.

 

Umbrella Woman: Mmmph… I mean, sure of course how rude of me. {Heart with hands} My name is Raiko Itake.

 

Her personality completely changed, it feels like she is trying too hard to look sweet and approachable, but there is something very dark about her. I can sense it.

 

Hayato: Nice to meet you Raiko, do you mind telling me your talent.

 

Raiko: {Twirls Hair} My talent, oh you mean… {Evil smile} Are you quite sure you want to know hehe…

 

There she goes again changing that facade.

 

Hayato: Yes, I’m sure. Come on hit me with what you have.

 

It can’t be that bad can it.

 

Raiko: {Head tilted} Here goes then, I, Raiko Itake, am the Ultimate Schemer!

 

{Ultimate Schemer Title Card}

 

 

Ultimate… Schemer…? What the hell is that for a talent.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} hehehe, I told you you’d be surprised!

 

Hayato: But what does that consist in? Like what do you do?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Mmmph, wouldn’t you like to know?

 

Clearly I do, hence I asked… I swear nobody wants to act normal in this place.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hand} Well all I’ll tell you, is that my manipulating skills have been in very high demand recently. Big companies need someone like me to do their dirty work. {Head tilted} That’s mostly all there is to it hehe.

 

I can’t fathom doing something like that with my life. Well, at least I know she is definitely someone I should be careful of.

 

I looked at Hikari and she gave me a “let’s get out of here and far from this creepy girl” look. Seems like a good idea.

 

Hayato: Alright Raiko well it was nice to meet you but I still have some people I need to talk to, I’ll see you around ok?

 

Raiko: {Serious Glare} Mmmph, be very careful young man. Don’t trust anybody around here. You think you know people, but you don’t. You never do. That’s what I’ve learned from my trade.

 

Umm, alright?

 

Raiko: {Heart with hand} Now now, Have a lovely day.

 

S-she left.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notepad} That girl is definitely scary. {Shocked with hand over mouth} Are you ok Hayato? You look pale!

 

Hayato: I-I’m fine, I’m okay.

 

These last words, what did she mean by that… I think I know people but I don’t. Does that mean that Hikari… No that’s not possible I trust her.
Damnit, I can’t let Raiko mess with my head like that. I need to forget about it. I want to believe in my friends.

 

Hayato: Come on let’s get out of here.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Of course!

 

And let's try to avoid Yoko and Shinto, I don't want to get involved with their arguments.

 

{Move to Rooftop}

 

*BANG*

 

??? : KYAHHHHHH,

 

As I opened the door that leaded back to the rooftop, I hit something, or someone judging by the scream, I should see how they’re doing.

 

{Talk to grey haired woman}

 

Hayato: I’m so sorry. Are you ok?

 

She took my hand and got up, she turned out to be a lot taller than me. Let’s hope there is no bad blood here.

 

Grey haired woman: {Stoic} Ahem, sorry about that. I am rather clumsy today. What am I saying, I act clumsy everyday. Either way, it was not your fault, you can remain at ease.

 

Hayato: But what were you doing so close to the door? I didn’t slam it open did I?

 

Hikari: {Passionate Stance} Hey, don’t try shifting the blame here Hayato!

 

Grey haired woman: {Adjusts Glasses} Everything is in order. I simply dropped my pin. I believed it was appropriate to bend down to get it. That’s when the door hit me.

 

Hayato: Oh, well once again I’m sorry. I'm Hayato. Hayato Seiki, by the way.

 

I swear this girl is like 20 years older than me. She acts and speaks so formally and her hair is completely grey.

 

Grey-haired woman: {Stoic} I see, you are currently contemplating my hair, and wondering how old I am. I shall fulfill your thirst for answers. I am 17 just like you I presume Seiki-san.

 

Wow, is she a freaking psychic or what?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} No Hayato, you’re just like an open book!

 

Her too? I’m not that obvious am I?

 

Grey-haired woman: {Plays with pin} Well said, Hisano-san. As for the colouring of my hair. Mostly stress, that generally comes with my job.

 

Hayato: Your job huh, and what is it?

 

Grey-haired woman: {Stoic} How inconceivably rude of me, I skipped introductions it seems. My name is Fukami Ota, my title is of the Ultimate Business Woman.

 

{Ultimate Business Woman Title Card}

 

 

She’s another one I read about during my research. She was already a millionaire by age 12. She created multiple massive entreprises and now well she’s hella rich let’s just say that.

 

Fukami: I know what you are thinking now, Seiki-san. {Impersonating Hayato} “Damn, she doesn’t seem as rich as I thought”. I simply do not give importance to material luxuries, that's all.

 

That was a shit impersonation I’m sorry. I was kinda thinking that though she’s right.

 

Hayato: By the way, you can drop the formalities and call me Hayato you know. We’re friends it’s fine!

 

Fukami: {Stoic} This is my manner of speaking Seiki-san, I hope that is not a problem to you, but I’ll let you know I will not change just to please your wants.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I already tried this with her, just let her be that’s how she is anyways.

 

Hayato: No problems there! Alright well, Ota-san, sorry again for…

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} Are you mocking me Seiki-san, call me Fukami, that is my name.

 

But, but, but… Alright I give up.

 

Hayato: My bad Fukami, I’ll see you soon.

 

Fukami: {Feeble smile} It will be with pleasure, Seiki-san, Hisano-san, farewell.

 

She’s definitely a nice girl, just a bit too formal for my taste, eh doesn’t matter.

 

...

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Alrighty, only two people left, well done Hayato, I’m impressed.

 

I am quite pleased with myself, even though some interactions were, let’s say weird. Nothing went too out of hand.

 

Hayato: Yup, two people left to talk to, where should we head to now?

 

Hikari: {Center ties} Mmmh, let me think where have we not been yet?

 

I looked around.

 

Actually I see someone close to the staircase, pretty sure I haven’t seen this guy before.

 

Hayato: Look Hikari, I haven’t met this guy yet have I? Should I go say hi?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} hehe, nice initiative I’m proud, who’s the guy…? {Shocked with hand over mouth} O-oh him. Well good luck with that.

 

Hayato: Why good luck? I’ve been doing alright no?

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} Sadly, that’s not the problem, just go talk to him you’ll see by yourself. I’ll just stay here with Fukami.

 

Is she seriously leaving me by myself?

 

Hayato: Are you not coming with me??

 

Hikari: {Sad} I’d rather not sorry. Just come meet me when you’re done with him. Trust me it probably won’t be long.

 

Fine, i’ll go talk to him.

Ugh, my expectations are very high, this guy better be interesting.

 

{Talk to Hooded boy}

 

Hayato: Hi there, I don’t think we’ve met so I thought maybe I should…

 

As I approached him he just looked at me with frightened eyes and started leaving.

 

Hayato: Hey no come back here, I’m just introducing myself don’t be scared.

 

Hooded boy: {Sombre} …

 

What’s with this guy? Why won’t he say anything…? and why does he look so… so terrified?

 

Hayato: I’m Hayato, Hayato Seiki I just wanted to say hi. Mind telling me your name?

 

Hooded boy : {Sombre} …

 

Alright I’m getting tired of this, is he mute or just incredibly rude?

 

Hayato: HELLO, can you hear me??

 

And suddenly… he spoke.

 

Hooded boy: {Points at arm band} T-the eye. It’s watching us all. It’s following me.

 

Hayato: The what? what are you saying?

 

Hooded boy: P-please stop… staring into my soul.

 

What is up with this guy? He is just saying weird stuff it’s starting to get a bit scary. I’m not gonna lie.

 

Hooded boy: {Sombre} I need to hide, until I find out who I really am. I need to… fight this.

 

And just like that he left.

 

 

Well, that just happened, I should ask Hikari what the hell his problem is…

 

{Talk to Hikari}

 

Hikari: {Sad} See, I told you he was special.

 

Hayato: Special? More like maniacal. He wasn’t even speaking to me, just mumbling to himself some weird stuff about an eye watching him or something.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Yeah, yeah he does that. We just thought it was wiser to leave him be.

 

Hayato: Did you manage to get his name at least?

 

Hikari: Yeah, Kenji managed to get him to speak a little bit. His name is Tadao Yamateko, and before you ask, he doesn’t know what his talent is. All he remembers is his name and this "eye" shtick.

 

{Ultimate ??? Title Card}

 

An Ultimate student who doesn’t remember his own talent huh. Strange. There definitely is something dark about this guy. But I am sure I’ll manage to talk him through what is bothering him soon enough

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Anyways, well done Hayato. You’ve managed to not completely embarrass you with 14 of your classmates

 

Hayato: And that means there is only one person left to talk to. I got it. Where should we go now.

 

Hikari:{Finger on lip, thoughtful} I have no idea of the time, but I’m thinking the others are probably heading back to the aula by now. Let’s go there maybe the final student will be waiting for you there.

 

Hayato: Hey, why did you call them the final student, I mean you already know their name, no need to be so mysterious about it.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Aw, but where is the fun in that, you need to discover everyone by yourself.

 

Hayato: Once we get out of here remind me to not ask you for social help again alright, you’re terrible at it.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} You would have just stayed awkwardly in your room without me, {Proud} I am basically a pro at this by now.

 

Fine, fine. Whatever, I just want to go and say hi to the last person. Then I can just move on with my life without all this pressure. Urgh books are so much easier than people I swear.

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera glass} So, shall we? Back to the aula we go!

 

{Move to second floor}

 

{Move to Aula}

 

{On screen, all the characters Hayato has met so far are present. Kenji, Kôzuke and Kyia are sitting at a table and laughing. Jessie is showing Fukami her language dictionary. Raiko is talking to Oriana who looks intimidated as always. Yoshi is trying to impress Rina with his juggling skills, she simply looks bored, Yoko and Shinto are holding hands while looking out the panoramic bay window, Fusume is standing guard by the main door and Tadao is sitting in a corner by himself.}

 

Hayato: Wow, looks like everybody is here minus one person if I count correctly.

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera lens} Yeah, I believe you’re right.

 

One by one, everybody started to notice our presence.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Ay yo, writer boy, you done with your little socializing tour or you want us to wait for you any fucking longer?

 

I mean it’s not like there is much you could have done could you, we’re locked here remember?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} We’re only missing one person, Hayato’s been doing well!

 

Rina: {Yawns} Ummmmm, does it looks like anybody cares? Stars like me don’t have time to hang with the plebs.

 

Fukami: {Stoic} Ishido-san, why don’t you be a little bit more respectful, clearly socializing is not Seiki-san’s forte.

 

Rina: {Exasperated} Why don’t you shut your little mouth you old bitch. It’s not cuz you have granny hair that you can act like my mom alright!

 

Damn, still acting like a brat, and by the way, thanks for defending me Fukami, but screw you for that last comment!

 

Kyia: {Peace sign and smile} Guys, guys come on, we have zero clue how long we stuck in this place, so let’s be friendly and peaceful alright? No need to fight!

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} Ugh, as long as you lot stay out of this movie star’s way, we should be fine.

 

And now she mentions herself in the third person! Great. And then we get criticized for saying celebs have big egos.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} What are we waiting for anyways, does anybody have a real reason to bring us all here?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} I told Kenji to make sure we were all together so we can get organised.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-what do y-you mean organised?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Well, as Kyia kindly reminded us earlier, we have no idea how long we’re staying here for and seeing from the amount of food in the cafeteria kitchen, I’m guessing it could be for some time.

 

Yoshi: {Flips hair} We oughta be here for sum time eh? So what?

 

Hikari: I guess, we should establish some roles or something no? Of who does what to help and so on. If we want to cohabited peacefully we have to have some rules.

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} Seriously, Hikari? I hate rules. What’s the fun in life if you’re contained by regulation. You gotta go with the flow girl.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I agree man, I’m sorry but I don’t know you guys man. I’m not going to start listening to rules before I… I know what the heck is going on.

 

Hikari: {Sad} B-but

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Yeah guys, Hikari-chan tiene razon, she’s right. I don’t want to live in a chaotic atmosphere. Why don’t we just make sure we’re all on the same page.

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} Pffff, but who says I want to be on the same page with you lot. You think this is the moment in the flick where the hot popular chick becomes friends with the misfits. Well, NO. Now if we’re done here, I’m going back to my room.

 

And like that, everybody started leaving.

 

Hikari: {Facing the floor} Wait a second, guys please I’m not done…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Sorry sunshine, I have to agree with the others. I’m not getting fucking settled until I have more info on the situation. That’s my main rule. Don’t get too comfortable…

 

"Because danger is always right along the way". I know, he says it in all his shows.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Kenji don’t go, please.

 

Kenji: I’m going lone wolf on this one.

 

Hikari: Kyia even you?

 

Kyia: {Hurt expression} I’m sorry Hikari, but they’re kinda right. We don’t really know each other, I trust you, you know that but the others won’t listen until they have a good reason to listen. I’ll see you around ok?

 

Hikari… she looks so hurt, I didn't think I could see her so defenseless. I should say something.

 

Hayato: Guys, come on listen to her.

 

Nobody cared, they continued walking towards their rooms.

 

Hayato: Everybody please!

 

Hikari: {Sad} It’s alright, Hayato, Thanks for trying.

 

I don’t really know what happened next, I hated this feeling of being ignored so much, I just, I lost control.

 

Hayato: ALL OF YOU BETTER PAY HIKARI SOME RESPECT AND COME BACK RIGHT. FUCKING. NOW.

 

I watched as all 14 of them turned back in awe. Did that scream really come out of me. I had been so quiet thus far. To be honest even I was surprised. Hikari looked dazed but happy. At least I achieved something.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Ahem, as I was saying, I am not done speaking so I hope you’re ready to listen.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Y-yes, sorry sorry.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Don’t you want to wait a little bit if there are serious announcements. We are missing someone I believe.

 

Yoko: {Kisses picture of shinto} Aw, my Shinto. What great perception you have. I’m so in loooooove right now.

 

I hadn’t noticed, but these guys made up pretty quickly and that girl is still very over the top with her emotions.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Are you sure man. I mean, we’re all here aren’t we?

 

???: Why don’t you learn to count, you moronic little man.

 

As he said that, a deep imposant voice resonated in the aula. I turned around to see a young man in a suit with glasses and long brown hair in a bun. He just breathed of confidence, everybody got quiet. He is the 16th student I presume…

 

Hayato: Um, Hi there, we haven’t been introduced, I’m…

 

Formal guy: {Smug} Stop talking, I am not interested. Now, who will tell me why I have not been invited to this meeting. Anyone? You have 3 seconds to give me a reason.

 

Hikari: {Sad} N-no wait Reijiro, it’s not my fault, I asked…

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Blame it on me, you bastard. Let’s just say I “forgot” to come tell you we were meeting. That’s why first impressions are important you know. Don’t call me a caveman next time, you jerk.

 

Formal guy: {Condescending look} *sigh* are you done talking now?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Am I what? You son of a…

 

Formal guy: {Serious glare} Good. Let’s forget about this little incident. I’d like to say that I overheard what… {Points at Hikari} you were saying.

 

Hayato: Her name is Hikari.

 

Formal guy: I put no importance in names. Now, if you are done interrupting me. As much as you imbeciles denied it. We need some rules if we want to live.

 

How rude is this guy?

 

Formal guy: {Head down with glasses shining} Have you not noticed we are all Ultimate Students locked in this building with no clue of where we are or how we got here?

 

Jessie: {Smile with thumb up} I mean, it’s a pretty nice place to be locked in is it not??

 

Formal guy: We are not safe. We are important people, the best in our fields. Clearly, the people who brought us here have a good reason to have done so and we have no idea what that reason may be.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} How do we know, this is not some sort of field trip?

 

Formal guy: {Condescending look} Well then using your logic, how do we know it’s not something else, something much bigger than that?

 

He kinda has a point… Why are we here? I honestly have no clue. But now that I think about it. I am a little scared.

 

Formal guy: {Smug} This is why we need some ground rules. Some way to make sure nobody steps out of line.

 

Kyia: {Hurt expression} But why? I mean, I really think that...

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} The man is right. He is definitely right.

 

Wow, I completely forgot she was here. Well she sounds pretty convinced. Better ask her what’s that all about.

 

{Talk to Fusume}

 

Hayato: How are you so sure Fusume?

 

Fusume: I can sense danger. Something is not right. For example. If nothing was out of ordinary and this was just a school trip, why are there no adults or supervisors around here. I can feel something is wrong. I know it.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} She is right! Also think about the cameras and monitors we saw around here, that’s not normal is it?

 

Formal guy: {Checks pocket watch} You’re right, we are being watched.

 

As he said that, we all started looking around, paranoid and scared. Why am I here? What the hell is going on? I need answers.

 

Formal guy: You are frightened, all of you. I know it and it is normal. Therefore, I, Reijiro Yamane, the Ultimate Intellectual will be the leader of this group.

 

{Ultimate Intellectual Title Card}

 

Kenji: Wait wait wait. I don’t wanna be led by the likes of you. Sure, we might need some rules. BUT I WILL NOT ACCEPT YOU AS A LEADER!!!

 

Kôzuke : {Worried} Kenji man, we don’t really have a choice, and he does seem like a good fit for the job. Much better than me at least.

 

Fukami: Do not put yourself down, Shigetaka-san. It is true that Yamane-san seems like a perfect candidate to be our leader.

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} But wait guys, do we even really need a leader. I mean why don’t we just ride the wave solo you know? Do our own thing.

 

It’s true, do we really need to have a leader. Reijiro seems to know what he is doing, but he does not look like the nicest guy around. I wonder…

 

Reijiro: Nobody else has any objections? {Smug} Then it is decided. Now, for the first rule….

 

*BUUUUUUUZZZZZZZ*

 

This is when it happened. I will never forget this moment, how could I. An alarm started ringing. It was so loud, we couldn’t hear anything…

 

{Camera zooms out to show all 16 protagonists panicking and looking around}

 

And then it stopped… Silence. It was so quiet it became unbearable.

 

 

When suddenly, from right behind the reception desk. A sort of creature popped out enthusiastically.

 

It looked like a teddy bear. White on one side and black on the other. An eye of deep red and a menacing grin.

 

Oriana: Kyahhhhhhh!! W-what is that!?

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} PFFFFFF, what the hell is that thing!?

 

???: {Belly laugh} upupupupu, I am no “thing” . I am a bear, a beautiful specimen at that.

 

Now if you’re all here. Let’s get this party started alright! upupupu…

 

TO BE CONTINUED

Notes:

You know who's about to come out don't you?

I hope you enjoyed this first chapter, this is my first attempt at something like this but I had a lot of fun writing this. Feedback positive or negative is very appreciated.

You don't know much about the characters just yet but free time votes are officially open so do let me know in the comments if you're interested.

As I previously said this work has been inspired by
https://archiveofourown.org/works/1920717 by Kitt_Monroe,
https://archiveofourown.org/works/1120957 by Magorgle
https://archiveofourown.org/works/3450725 by Koopakirby
and more recently https://archiveofourown.org/works/11159529 by Squidgelatinous
Which are all great and definitely deserve a read through.

Sprites by https://cometshina.deviantart.com
Pixelated sprites by https://archiveofourown.org/users/ShortcakeCrow/pseuds/ShortcakeCrow who have their own Fanganronpa going on.
Go check them out they are super talented.

Alright, that's all for this one, see you all in the next update and thanks for reading!!

Chapter 2: Prologue : Just Short Of Paradise (Part 2)

Notes:

Back with the end of the prologue with the arrival of a very special bear...

Don't forget to check out the notes at the end of more information!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

{Monokuma is on screen, with the 16 students staring in confusion} 

What is this thing…?  We were all in complete awe over what we were witnessing.

 

???: upupupu, why are your faces so grim? Are you not used to seeing such a beautiful bear walking freely as he pleases? Huh is that the problem?

 

Fukami: {Sweating} The teddy bear… he’s talking... but how?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} I… Knew it. It’s the eye. It came back to punish me.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps Medals} C’mon man, quit that you’re scaring me.

 

???: {Belly laugh} I am no teddy bear, I am a 100% authentic bear. I know my cuteness levels are so high you might be fooled! But this bear is as true as they get upupu.

 

This thing’s voice, I can’t find the words to describe it. It sounded so evil despite its ridiculously high pitch and childish diction.

 

Kenji: {Furious} How the fuck is that thing talking? How is it moving around like that? What the fuck is going on???

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, simple enough. It must be remote controlled from somewhere in the building. This is also where the owner of the voice is I presume.

 

???:  Nonononono, Reijiro, that’s wrong. I am not remote controlled and I am not commanded by anyone. A bear cares for his freedom!

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} Be careful guys, that thing does not seem cool at all!

 

Rina: {Mimes fainting} Somebody protect meeeeee! I’d be too big of a loss on the industry. RIP cinema if I don’t get out of here.

 

??? {Disappointed} Come on how many times do I have to say it?! I am not “a thing” I am Monokuma AKA the director of this resort.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} B-but wait that makes no sense how can a stuffed animal be the director.

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Methinks it coulda be like he sayin’. Animals have rights y'know.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Quatsch! The director can’t be... a simple toy. This is obviously some kinda prank!

 

 

Right?

 

Monokuma: For the very last time, I am not a toy, nor a stuffed animal. I am the bear the myth the legend, MONOKUMAAAA.

 

What is going on? Everybody seems so confused. What does this thing want with us?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Alright then Monokuma, tell us where we are and why you brought us here, because I believe I am right in assuming you are the one who brought us here.

 

Monokuma : {Turns to show dark side} upupu, in that you are correct, It is I who locked you in this paradisiac place.

I’d watch that tone though if I were you Reijiro. I’m the one in charge here so I think you’re gonna wanna show some respect.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Show some respect my ass, I’ll make myself a scarf with that fur of yours you motherfucker.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Oooh, aggressivity, can’t say I’m surprised. I’d be careful Kenji.

 

Kenji: {Furious} WE’LL SEE ABOUT THAT YOU LITTLE SHIT!

 

And just like that Kenji started running at Monkuma.

 

{Camera shows Kenji jumping on Monokuma to attack him}

 

Monokuma: Oh I wouldn’t do that upupu, say hello to my little friend!!

 

{Monokuma takes out a plastic water gun}

 

Kenji: {Snickers} HAHAHAHAHA What the fuck is that toy gonna do huh?

 

I have a bad feeling about this… I need to intervene!

 

Hayato: Kenji get back! Quick!

 

Kenji: Shut up Shakespeare I’ve got this in the bag!

 

Monokuma: Boom.

 

Suddenly a sort of cable pooped out of the water gun as Monokuma pulled the trigger and before I knew it Kenji was completely tied up and laid flat on the floor.

 

Oriana: KYAAH K-Kenji!!!!

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} Kimata-san, are you ok?

 

Kenji: GET OFF ME YOU FUCKER, LET ME OUT SO I CAN KILL YOU!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} What a perfect choice of word, you just helped me transition perfectly in my next segment Kenji upupupu!

 

Kenji: {Furious} LET ME OUT!

 

Monokuma: Ummm, no no I think I quite like you here at my feet where trash like you belongs.

 

Nobody dared to go and help him, this…  this creature we now knew what it was capable of. I couldn’t move, I was petrified.

 

 

And yet the worst was still to come.

 

Monokuma: So, now that you bastards are done calling me names and trying to kill me, I think I can talk without interruption.

 

Fusume: {Pulls out kunai with dark look} Why don’t you let Kenji go first…?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Wellllll, because I make the rules here upupupu.

 

There’s not point trying to get anything out of Monokuma, we should just let it say what it has to say, maybe it will be more cooperative after.

 

Monokuma: {Grins} Now, as you may have noticed, you bastards are basically stuck in this place. No need to try to escape, there is no way out.

 

Is there really no way out of this place? But why, why were we brought here then?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Well, actually, there is ONE way to get out of this resort, and one way only.

 

Yoko: {Pulling on shoker} Well go ahead then, what are we supposed to do??

 

Monokuma: {Red eye shining} I thought you’d never ask upupupu!

Introducing… Drumroll please!!! The HOLIDAYS OF MUTUAL KILLING!

 

The holidays of what…?

 

 

Were my ears deceiving me or did it just say “mutual killing”?

 

 

From the panic on everyone’s face, I think... I think I heard correctly.

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} PFFFFFFFF, What in the world?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} D-did you just say killing man? What the heck.

 

Fusume: As I thought, we are in grave danger here.

 

Tadao: {Points at arm band} The eye… it should have warned me…

 

Everybody was speaking at once creating chaos and confusion. One voice came out of the crowd though.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with one hand on mouth} Wait, he said “mutual killing” does… does that mean we’re supposed to kill… each other?

 

 

That sentence echoed in my head. Kill each other? Nobody here was capable of such a thing... were they?

 

{Camera zooms out to show all 16 students worried}

 

Truth is I just met all of them a couple hours ago, how do I know I can trust them? How do I know that none of them were capable of... killing…?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I believe you are right, that is what comes to mind when the adjective “mutual” is used.

 

How… how is he so calm in a situation like this one?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} upupupu you are both correct! Well done!!!! To go back home and escape, all you have to do is kill one of your classmates and then get away with the murder.

 

What… what the hell…

 

Monokuma: {Grins} Oh how I love seeing the despair grow in your eyes. You’re all scared aren’t you?

 

Well don’t be! Killing is fun! I’m sure we will all have a blast!

 

How can it say such things…? Killing? FUN?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} And I can already hear you cry “But wait you beautiful bear, what methods can we use for killing?”

 

The answer is simple! Literally any way you want. Stabbing, strangling, poisoning, drowning, bludgeoning. The list goes on and on and on! I want you to surprise me upupu.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} W-what the hell is wrong with you man, we’d never kill each other.

 

Kyia: That’s right, I have faith in the people here. W-whatever you’re planning Monokuma, well… {Proud} you can shove it right in your monochromic ass cause it is not happening!

 

Damn, that’s a hell of a statement, I hope he’s right though, I really can’t fathom anybody here being a murderer.

 

...

Raiko: {Evil smile} Are you sure about this Kyia?

 

Kyia: {Deep in though} huh, what’re you saying?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You say you have faith in us, but surely you jest…

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} Itake-san, what can you possibly mean?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You don’t know me, none of you. In fact you don’t know anybody here. How can you claim to have faith when you are in a room with 15 people who could kill you to benefit themselves.

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} N-no but no one here would do such a thing to me. {Confident} Nor to anyone. I don’t give a dump what you say, I have hope.

 

Fukami: You do well Taro-san. I must say that…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} She’s right.

 

Fukami: {Confused} Who, me?

 

Reijiro: No, the one with the umbrella.

 

Is… is Reijiro siding with Raiko? but why? She’s just trying to mess with us again isn’t she.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} She’s right that we can not blindly assume nobody here is capable of murder. That is putting ourselves in danger, even more so than we already seem to be.

 

Fusume: {Pulls out kunai, dark look} That is true, we must stay on our guards.

 

 

Is there truth in what they are saying? I looked at the faces of my 15 classmates, yes some of them like Kenji and Kyia were definitely imposing enough to easily kill me but they wouldn’t, I just know these people are not capable of taking a life.

 

Reijiro: Monokuma?

 

Monokuma: Yes my dear.

 

Reijiro: {Cleaning glasses} Refrain from using such affectuous terms. Mmh, do you mind explaining the rules to this game, so that we can move on quickly.

 

Monokuma: {Neutral expression} Reijiroooo, what a shocker. It’s not often that one of you bastards actually wants to hear the rules.

Usually it’s more of a cryfest than anything else!

 

Usually? Does that mean this has happened before? Surely, I would have heard about it if it did…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I just want to know exactly what I have to deal with…

 

Monokuma: No need for justifications. {Turns to show dark side} Now let me be clear about this, because I’ll only say it once.

 

 

Monokuma : {Belly laugh} Just kidding I’ll probably mention it a thousand times it’s kinda my gimmick you know?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Just get it over with! Please!

 

Monokuma: Alright I hope you’re all ears. You are currently locked in this place, with no way of escaping, trust me…

 

Kyia: There’s always another route to take, you must be lying!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing expression} Shut up and let me speak! The point is, you can’t escape here. The only way you will get out is by killing one of your classmates upupupu, it’s that simple.

 

Yoshi: {Flips hair} So… you sayin’ to get out, one oughta be killin’ somebody ay?

 

Monokuma: Yup that’s it well done! A* for listening in!

 

Murder for our freedom, is that what this comes down to?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Is that really all there is to it…?

 

Monokuma: Welllllllll, {Belly laugh} Fine you got me! There is one extra step.

 

Rina: Which is???

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} If a murder occurs, you will all participate in what we, in the business, call “a class trial”

 

Oriana: {Trembles} : A-A…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Class…

 

Hikari: {Looks down} Trial?

 

Fukami: Monokuma-san, surely you do not mean as in a legal trial?

 

Yoshi: {Poses} Wha’s the problem moneybags, you scared someone oughta sue that fortune o’yours?

 

Hikari: Yoshi, Quiet! Monokuma, explain yourself, what do you mean by class trial.

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} It’s simple really, you will all reunite in a beautiful courtroom designed by yours truly and decide who you think the killer is.

 

Kenji: {Furious} We’re supposed to play detective as well, you shit! Untie me! come on and I’ll destroy you.

 

Monokuma: {Menacing look} Violence against the director is punished by death Kenji… You might want to think about that upupupu.

 

Kenji: Grrrrr…

 

Hayato: And… and then what happens?

 

Monokuma: Well, when you’ve come to an agreement you vote on whodunit and this is where the fun begins!

 

Rina: {Yawns} Tell us then, what’s the next step??

 

Monokuma: Once you commit murder, you become “the blackened”, your goal is not to be found out by the others. So when the vote comes, depending on if you vote correctly or not the outcome will change!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} So basically, we have to vote for the killer?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} That’s right, because if the majority votes correctly then they are safe and the blackened is punished…

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} What do you mean punished?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing look} I think the right word to describe it is… execution.

 

Once again, Monokuma’s words hit us like a hammer.

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} PFFFF, execution?? Like, death and stuff?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Why of course like death and stuff, if you get found out, you fail and the price for disrupting the peace is death.

 

 

This is… so wrong. So, let me recap, the only way we can escape here is by committing murder and risking our lives as well. How could anyone do that?

But, I don’t want to be stuck here forever… still taking a life is inconceivable for me.

 

Reijiro: And what if we get it wrong and vote for the wrong person?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye shining} In that case...the blackened filled their part of the contract and is free to leave the resort, while the rest is punished in his place upupupu. Before you ask the punishment is the same.

 

The same…?

 

Monokuma:  Come on spell it with me. Give me an E, give me an X give me a… damnit this word’s too long. Anyways you got it it’s execution galore, for everybodyyyyyy.

 

Kôzuke: {Pale} N-no way…

 

Fukami: It can’t be real.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Mmph, so if we get it wrong, the killer goes free and we all die… I see.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Guess we better not get it wrong then hehe.

 

Reijiro: No.

 

No?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I will… not allow it. No one is dying. Not under my watch.  

 

Yoshi: Not under your watch? Well, your watch be hangin’ pretty low from your pants so methinks it ain’t be helpin’...

 

Get it? cuz your pocket watch and all? So like under your watch… C’mon guys it was funny admit it y’all.

 

This guy doesn’t know when to shut up does he.

 

Monokuma: Let’s pretend that joke didn’t happen, you should be emBEARassed…  

 

Yoshi: {Laughs} Ooooh, I get it, good one lad, good one.

 

Are you done? Both of you?

 

Monokuma: Ahem, going back on track, that is a bold claim you’re making Reijiro, you think you can prevent any murders from happening.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I don’t think it, I know it. Whatever it is you want to achieve you foul beast, I will not let it happen you hear me! I will not allow it.

 

He seems so convinced of his abilities. I mean yes he is cocky, but it does feel pretty reassuring to say the least.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} upupupupu, I like that confidence Reijiro, you know why? {Red eye shining} Because you will feel even more despair when you realise you failed the group.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} No, no that will not happen.

 

Reijiro… He actually looks a bit worried now, I should jump in, say something... anything.

 

Hayato: I… I think Reijiro is right, no one will die here, we will find a way out together and nobody will have to stoop so low as to kill someone. I… I am sure of it.

 

Rejiro: {Smug} Mmph, thank you for the support, now, Monokuma, have you got anything else to say or do you want to leave.

 

He got his swagger back, that’s a good thing at least. I’m happy I intervened.

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} You bastards… keep believing that, {Grins} We’ll see who has the final laugh upupu.

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hand} You can leave now.

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Have a little respect for your director, it’s not often you see such an adorable bear with such great responsibilities.

 

Kyia: {Tightens fists} Just piss off already, you won’t get anywhere with us, we won’t play your little game, so why don’t you get the hell out of my sight.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Fine, fine.

{Turns to show white side} One last thing, I am sure some of you are already planning your beautiful murders beneath this superficial collective refusal.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} No one is planning that are they?

 

Monokuma: {Neutral expression} Well, if you are, just know there are some rules to the killing game. I feel like if I stay any longer you savages will attack me so I’ll just drop them all in your Resident ID you can read them when you want.

 

Shinto: Resident ID? What are you talking about.

 

Monokuma: They’re beautiful little tablets , they should all be in your respective rooms. You’ll recognise them by the sexy bear logos on their back.

 

Oh my gosh, I completely had forgotten about that…

 

{Flashback}

 

Hayato : There’s just a plain lamp on the table itself, what about in the drawers…? Oh, I’ve found something but what is it?

 

It looks like some sort of tablet, let me try to turn it on, hang on…

 

Oh wow, it worked and here’s a flashy loading screen. Well it tells me to wait so I’ll wait, what else is there in this room?

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

I never ended up looking through the tablet, I should do that next time I check out my room.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Don’t forget that if one of you breaks a rule, that’s a freebie execution, so if I were you I’d read the rules extra extra extra carefully.

With that I’ll leave it to your imaginations, I wish you all a fun killing game upupu. That’s my cue to leave now!

 

 

We were all thunderstruck by these revelations. We… we were supposed to kill each other. No, it wouldn’t happen. It couldn’t happen. I need to forget about this. Think of better things...

 

Kyia: {Peace sign with hand} Alright guys, now that we are done with this bear thing, shall we move on with our lives and act like this never happened?

 

Yeah, he’s right, we should just forget about it and try to live normally, until we find a way out at least…

 

Reijiro: Mmph, you’re right we should attempt to move on, there is no need to worry, nobody will die. I can guarantee it.

 

Kenji: {Furious} That’s cute and all but can somebody FUCKING UNTIE ME!

 

Crap, I’d forgotten about him, he was still completely tied down.

 

 

Kôzuke and Kyia helped untied him. They couldn't hold their laughter, it was pretty comical to see the big man this helpless.

 

Kenji: It’s not funny you dicks, stop fucking laughing.

 

This ordeal really helped relax the atmosphere a little bit, I felt… relieved, yeah that’s the right word. I guess I can have faith in this group. I think we’ll be alright.

 

Hayato: Alright well it’s not that bad finally, right Hikari?

 

I turned to look at her and saw…

 

Hikari: {Pale} Kill… someone… I never could…

 

She looks terrible, I have to do something, say something.

 

Hayato: It’s alright Hikari, no one will kill anyone, we are above this stupid killing game.

 

Hikari: {Pale} But… the newspaper… I need to get out of here.

 

Hayato: Hikari look at me, it’s gonna be alright.

 

Hikari: No, I need… I NEED TO GET OUT!

 

She screamed as hard as I could imagine her screaming before… she fainted.

 

Hayato: SOMEBODY HELP! QUiCK.

 

Jessie: {Scared} Mein gott! What happened to her?


Hayato: I… I don’t know, she was alright and then she just panicked and fainted.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, this is quite the situation, you {Points to Kenji} you’re strong, get her back to her room.

 

Kenji: Sure. Don’t think you can boss me around like that though. I’m doing this by my own free will.

 

Reijiro: If you will, hurry now!

 

...

 

It was a bit of a mess but we got her back to her room, Kenji carrying her and me running behind in panic.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Ahem, I hope she’ll be fine, now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got things to do.

 

Hayato: Wait, you don’t really, do you? Somebody needs to stay with her.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Well, clearly there is nothing to do in this place, but I’m not sitting on my fucking ass all afternoon nuh uh. If you wanna stay with sleeping beauty be my guest, but I’m gone.

 

Just like that he left.

 

Hayato: She is still so pale, I just can’t leave her alone.

 

Well, guess I’m staying here then. Let’s just find a place to sit.

 

{Examine chair}

 

This… this will do. I’ll just sit here and wait for her to wake up.

 

 

Truth is it feels nice to have a bit of a break, I’ve been going around non-stop all day. Introducing myself, god. I would have never been so social if Hikari wasn’t chasing me around all day.

 

 

Gosh, time is passing by soooo slowly, there’s nothing to do here but stare at the walls. Lucky me.

 

 

I’m starting to get really sleepy, I can’t let my guard down though, I need to protect Hikari while she’s unwell. Trick is not to close my eyes.

 

Do not close my eyes.

 

Do... not... close...

 

{Camera goes dark}

 

 

???: Seiki-san, wake up.

Huh, what the…

 

Fukami: {Stoic} Seiki-san, I thought you were supposed to watch over her.

 

Shit, fuck, shit. I fell asleep didn’t I? How long has it been?

 

{Examine clock} 

 

It’s 8pm already?? what the hell, I guess I must have been exhausted…

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Everything’s okay Fukami, I ended up watching over him, as usual.

 

She’s awake as well???

 

Hayato: I’m so sorry Hikari, I really tried to stay awake…

 

Hikari: {Centers tie} It’s fine don’t worry about it, I just woke up like 30 minutes ago anyways.

{Smiles} It’s sweet that you came over though. I really appreciate it.

 

Hayato: O-of course I could never have left you alone. Are.. are you feeling any better?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Yeah thanks, I just had a huge headache and I don’t know what happened then, I guess I was scared.

 

I need to be reassuring, clearly she still isn’t over that moment.

 

{Flashback}

 

Hikari: {Pale} Kill… someone… I never could…

 

She looks terrible, I have to do something, say something.

 

Hayato: It’s alright Hikari, no one will kill anyone, we are above this stupid killing game.

 

Hikari: {Pale} But… the newspaper… I need to get out of here.

 

Hayato: Hikari look at me, it’s gonna be alright.

 

Hikari: No, I need… I NEED TO GET OUT!

 

She screamed as hard as I could imagine her screaming before… she fainted.

 

{Ends flashback}

 

Hayato: You… you shouldn’t be scared Hikari, I mean yeah, it’s a frightening situation but we are all in this together, and we won’t let anything happen to you. I… I won’t let it happen.

 

Hikari: {Blushes} Awww, Hayatooooo, you’re so cute when you try to be brave.

 

Hayato: Hey, what the heck does that mean?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Come on… You would have never even dared talking to me if I hadn’t come to you and now you’re acting like you’re the one watching over me.

 

Hayato: But... but I...

 

Hikari: I’m teasing you, I appreciate your kind words.

 

{Close up of Hikari taking Hayato’s hand}

 

Hikari: Thank you, for being here…

 

What is it… that I feel for this girl? I have never felt like this before, I swear.

 

Fukami: Ahem.

 

Hayato: Arghhh!!

 

I completely forgot she was there, if that’s not awkward I don’t know what is.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} I am truly sorry to interrupt your... moment of sorts, but Yamane-san brought me here to ask you two to come to the restaurant. Everybody is waiting there.

 

Hayato: The restaurant? you mean the cafeteria?

 

Fukami: Mmh, It is labelled as the Monocuisine I simply assumed this was more of a restaurant name... then again what is a cafeteria name...? Do cafeterias even have names? Ahem, I disgress. Either way, Seiki-san, Hisano-san, please come with me.

 

Hayato: Are you sure you’re feeling well enough Hikari?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Yeah, I’m fine let’s go, I’m starving.

 

Alright let’s

 

{Move to Room hallway}

 

{Move to second floor}

 

{Move to restaurant}

 

{Camera shows everybody is already sitting at a big table in the middle of the restaurant}

 

Kyia: {Peace sign with hand and smile} Hikari!! How are you feeling?

 

Hikari : {Smiles} A lot better thanks! I think I’ll be fine tomorrow, I just need a good night’s sleep.

 

Grrr, Kyia thinks he can get her attention again…

 

Kyia: {Confident} If you need anything, please do tell me, I’ll find it super duper cool to help!

 

Hikari: Don’t worry it’s fine, Hayato’s already volunteered to be my nanny while I get better. Thanks though.

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} Oh, okay then.

 

Booyah! In your face Kyia. What are your muscles gonna do against my… niceness?

 

Reijiro: Mmph, anyways, now that everybody’s here I’d like to make a few announcements. No one has any objections I presume.

 

Kenji: {Crackings fists} Well I object! I still don’t understand why the hell you think you can be the leader of this group!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} No objections then?

 

Kenji: H-hey… I just said I had an objection

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Alright then, I’ll move on with my announcements.

 

Kenji: {Furious} LISTEN HERE YOU LITTLE SHIT…

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Kenji man… don’t get mad over this, let’s just listen to what Reijiro has to say alright?

 

Kenji: FINE, fine... fine if you say so Kôzuke.

 

Reijiro: If I may continue… I’d like to schedule some meetings, I think we should all check with each other twice a day, once at breakfast, and once at dinner.

 

Oriana: {Shy} W-why is that?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Mmph, as I said, I will not allow any murders to happen. To do so, we must make sure everybody is on track and nobody creates trouble. Hence, meeting twice a day seems to be a necessity to me. To check on each other as well as an opportunity to report anything suspicious.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Seems like a good idea to me! Plus we get to spend some time all together, isn’t that great?

 

Rina: {Yawns} No.

 

No?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Celebrities like me don’t have time to hang out with people like you. I’ll show up to your stupid meetings sure, but I’m eating by my superstar self.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Rina, why do you say that kind of thing? Don’t you think…

 

Reijiro: That’s fine by me. I don’t care who you decide to eat with. As long as you show up.

 

Hikari: {Sad} ...

 

Poor Hikari, I guess not everybody wants to get along as much as she does.

 

Jessie: Sérieusement people! Can’t we just try to be friendly? {Winks} It doesn’t hurt to try!

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} I do not feel bringing a false sense of camaraderie in the equation will amount to anything good.

I agree with Reijiro we should check up on eachother sure, but there is no need for anything more.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} She’s right, Shinto and I would rather eat by ourselves. {Starry eyed} Wouldn’t you say so my love?

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} R-right right totally!

 

I guess, we won’t get anywhere trying to eat with everybody whatever…

The quieter it is the better anyways.

 

Reijiro: Let’s make it official then. We will meet at 8:30 AM and PM, everybody’s presence to the meetings will be mandatory of course.

 

Yoshi: Huh, why them precise times?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmmph, I presume you haven’t read the rules on your Resident ID yet, once you do it will be apparent that my timings are perfect.

 

So. Damn. Cocky.

 

Kenji: What if I don’t come…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I beg your pardon?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I said, what if I don’t come huh? What are you gonna do about it mister.

 

Oh no, this is gonna get ugly I can feel it…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You’re asking what I’ll do?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Well done Einstein! You figured out what I just said!

 

Reijiro: Absolutely nothing.

 

Kenji: WHATCHA SAYING TO ME!?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I’m not going to do anything, if you want to show how manly you are and miss the group meetings so be it. But I wouldn’t be surprised if you become an easy target for whomever decides to commit murder.

 

Kenji: {Furious} IS THAT A FUCKING THREAT?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I assure you it is not. I am simply stating the facts. Now, I shall be expecting the rest of you tomorrow morning at 8:30. Good night.

 

Fukami: Yamane-san? Your food?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} I’ve eaten already thank you very much, farewell now.

 

He left.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Kenji man, you need to control yourself, you can’t let this guy make you so angry.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I swear to god, I’m gonna kill this son of a bitch.

 

 

In normal times, this remark would have meant nothing special, just another meaningless threat, but in our situation… Yeah, it didn’t sound too well.

Everybody was now very much looking at Kenji with grave concern.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Kenji…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} No I didn’t mean kill, like I’ll beat him up. Not kill like death. You lot know what I fucking meant.

 

You’re digging your hole deeper and deeper, just stop talking.

 

Fukami: Kimata-san, you see me shocked by this behavior.

 

Rina: {Sips on coffe} Yup, I thought your TV show and your celebrity would make you somewhat tolerable, guess you’re just a psycho!

 

Kenji: {Furious} No, I’d never kill anybody. Guys, I JUST MISSPOKE THAT’S ALL.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Sure, I’m certain that’s all it was.

 

Kenji: {Ripping Shirt} STOP FUCKING JUDGING ME!!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I… I thought I could trust you man.  But no... I guess I was wrong.

 

Kôzuke left, he definitely seemed a bit shaken by that. Kenji and him seemed pretty close.

 

Kenji: {Calm} N-no Kôzuke, wait don’t go, I’m sorry bro. WAIT!

 

Kenji left as well.

 

That was definitely awkward. Hope this dispute will not cause tensions tomorrow morning.

 

Kyia: Alright guys, let’s pretend like this never happened okay? Hayato, Hikari, you guys can just get food from the buffet, there are tons of things to eat.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Great, I’m so hungry I could eat a whale!

 

Pretty sure that’s not a saying but let’s not comment on that. It’s true I’m pretty hungry too.

 

{Examine buffet}

 

I got some fried noodles that seemed alright, a glass of water and I went to sit at a table next to Jessie, Hikari came back with a hamburger and sat in front of me.

 

Jessie: Good evening Hayato-kun.

 

Hayato: Hey Jessie. Oh, by the way you do know that if you want to speak with honorifics, you’re supposed to use the last name of the person, like Fukami does. So for me it'd be Seiki-kun.

 

Jessie: {Fists on hips, angry} Are you correcting my Japanese? Are you saying I’m not good enough?

 

Damnit, I’ve angered her. Ugh, Hayato you need to stop speaking when it’s not necessary.

 

Hayato: No no I’m sorry, speak however you want.

 

Jessie {Thumbs up} Gut! I prefer that. You grow habits when you learn a new language and right now It would be too much work to fix them!

 

Hayato: Sure.

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful}  Sooo, Hayato… Noodles huh?

 

Why do I feel judgement here?

 

Hayato: Yeah? I like noodles. I see you had a burger, any good?

 

I can presume the answer is yes as she is literally stuffing her face with food.

 

Hikari: {Mouth full} Yesh, it’sh delishious!!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hayato-kun, you are from Japan correct?

 

Isn’t that obvious? Okay let’s not be condescending though, I don’t wanna sound like Reijiro.

 

Hayato: Yeah, yeah I am.

 

Jessie: Then why are you eating noodles?

 

Am I not allowed to?

 

Hayato: Well I don’t know... Because I like noodles I guess.

 

Jessie: {Looking through backpack} But but but… You’re right now in an undisclosed location, maybe miles away from Japan, don’t you want to widen your horizons, culinairement parlant.

 

Pretty sure that last bit was French, no clue what it meant though!

 

Hikari: {Mouth full} She’s shuper right… shorry… {Smiles} She’s right, look at me, I’m eating a food that’s not from where I live. Widening my horizons it’s called.

 

Hayato: Hey you don’t eat hamburgers because they’re not Japanese, you just eat them because they taste nice…

 

Hikari: {Centers tie} Sure, but I’m still being more open to foreign culture than you loser.

 

Jessie: एकदम ठिक, couldn’t have phrased it any better.

 

Alright, I don’t even know what language this is anymore, this conversation makes no sense.

 

Hayato: Ok then, I’m sorry, I’ll go “broaden my horizons” and get something else to eat so you two can leave me alone alright!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} It’s widen your horizons, not broaden!

 

Hayato: Argh stop it!

 

Hikari: {Sticks tongue out} …

 

I therefore went back to the buffet and took the most exotic food I could find. No clue what it was though. It ended up being pretty alright. The dinner ended without any problem, except the occasional bullying from Jessie and Hikari.

 

Kyia: Okay people, it’s getting kinda late. I’m going to bed, Sleep tight!

Excited to see all of you tomorrow!!!

 

Rina: {Yawns} Sure, I’m soooo excited to see you too.

 

Kyia: {Points at Rina} I’ll just skip this mean comment and stay in my little positive bubble. Good night everyone!

 

And with that he left.

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} I’m going to bed too. Night.

 

Fukami: Ishido-san, should you not, try to drink something other than coffee, you’ll have trouble sleeping if you do.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} I’m not listening, I’m not listening. Didn’t ask for no one’s opinion on how to live my life.

 

Rina left as well.

 

*Yawns* I’m pretty tired too, I better get to sleep soon.

 

Hayato: Ok, I think I’ll go too if everyone’s leaving. Night night,

 

Hikari: {Smiles} See you tomorrow Hayato, thanks again for staying with me!

 

Hayato: O-of course, of course. Good night girls.

Jessie: Schlafen sie gut Hayato-kun!

 

Alright let’s get back to my room.

 

{Move to first floor}

 

{Move to Room hallway}

 

{Move to Hayato’s room}

 

I just fell straight on my bed, couldn’t be assed to take any clothes off, my scarf did go flying as I jumped on the mattress though.

My mind was just full of things, between Reijiro, Kenji and Kyia. This group had enough personality for me not to get bored. And Hikari, yeah, I know I like her. She’s nice.

 

I just wish this wasn’t in these circumstances. In this… "game".  Shoot! I forgot to read the rules, the... the tablet is still on the bedside table. Arghh I really cannot be bothered, I’ll just look them up tomorrow morning. 

But seriously, a killing game? Really? I still can’t fathom who’d put us through all this and... and why?

Well, whatever, I guess I trust these people, I just have a feeling everything’s gonna be fine.

 

Tomorrow I can focus on finding a way out of this place.


There will be no killing.

 

I just know it.

 

I mean, I just hope.

 

{Camera goes black}

 

END OF PROLOGUE,

SURVIVING STUDENTS : 16

Notes:

Thank you so much for reading the prologue. It is my first time trying this kind of thing, but I feel like it came out alright.
I think the beginning of chapter 1 could be ready in a week's time or so.
Very important: please let me know more suggestions for free time events as next chapter will have a couple slots open.
I'm still open to feedback, if you have any comment/suggestion on how to improve my writing please let me know.
Thanks again for reading and see you in the next update :)

Chapter 3: Report Cards + Physical Descriptions

Notes:

I Thought it might be helpful to have the report cards of the 16 students as well as a detailed physical description for each even though there are illustrations to show that.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Hayato Seiki  

Talent:  Ultimate Author

Height: 1m72 (5’7’’)

Weight : 54 kg

Birthday : October 5th

Likes : Scarves, murder mysteries

Dislikes: Most people, being disorganised

 

Bio

Hayato has never been a people person. When he wasn’t in a classroom, he spent most of his childhood in his room reading and eventually writing. He’s always been obsessed with murder mysteries and quickly distinguished himself as one of the best in the genre. What he lacks in social skills, he makes up in sarcasm and dry humor which is often misunderstood as mean-spirited. Under all that, Hayato has a big heart and will do anything to protect those he loves. 

Physical description

Hayato is average height, He wears blue jeans and a white polo shirt tucked in. Over that he has a dark beige overcoat. He wears a red scarf despite the hot weather. He has messy curly brown hair that sometimes falls over his face. Some pens stick out of his jacket pocket. 

He has olive green eyes. 

 

Kyia Taro

Talent : Ultimate Parkour Artist

Height : 1m89 (6’2’’)

Weight : 91 kg

Birthday : September 29th

Like : Overcoming obstacles, Positivity

Dislikes : Blood, Being told what to do.

 

Bio 

Kyia hates boundaries. Ever since he was a young boy, “do not enter” signs were calls to adventure and dangerous areas were his playground. He quickly rose to fame in the parkour scene after winning competition after competition, earning him a lot of money and cementing him as one of the best in the world at what he did. Kyia is fit, handsome and very much aware of it. His relaxed, yet confident attitude brought him many fans as he strives to continue proving that Kyia Taro has no limits. 

Physical description

Kyia is quite tall and muscular. He wears a white tank top, blank jeans and a big belt. He also has a red and yellow fanny pack held by a shoulder strap in which he keeps his chalk powder. He has spiky medium-length white hair with strands that fall over his red bandana and onto his red eyes. He is quite tanned. Both of his arms are covered with all sorts of bracelets and some of his fingers are bandaged and plastered.

 

Yoshi Akeno

Talent : Ultimate Circus Performer

Height : 1m86 (6’1’’)

Weight : 75 kg

Birthday : June 6th

Likes : Dad jokes, Performing

Dislikes : Satin, the word “raspberry”

 

Bio

Born in a family of performers, Yoshi has spent his entire life in the circus. His versatility and talent on stage has brought renown to the Akeno Circus as crowds from all over the country were desperate to find tickets to his sold-out shows. Despite his fame, he’s always struggled to make friends, often being described as an eccentric odd-ball with an incomprehensible sense of humour. However, he doesn’t seem to mind that people can’t understand him. No matter what happens around him, Yoshi remains in his own little world, laughing at his own jokes and making the best out of every possible situation.

Physical description

Yoshi is tall but lanky. He wears a red and gold leather sleeveless vest and yellow overalls over a striped t-shirt with little juggling balls printed on it. Black long hair that falls to his shoulders which is all shaved on the sides, a bit like a disconnected undercut. He has yellow eyes. He always wears a golden unicycle medallion around his neck. 

 

Tadao Yamateko

Talent : Ultimate ???

Height : 1m68 (5’5’’’)

Weight : 44 kg

Birthday : December 24th

Likes : Being alone, the colour purple.

Dislikes : “the eye”, talking to people.

 

Bio

Tadao doesn’t remember anything about his past life, or so he claims… It’s basically impossible to figure out what the guy’s thinking. His face always sporting a sombre, yet unreadable expression. Nobody knows what happened for him to be that way, but the young man’s definitely hiding something, that much is for sure. 

Physical description

Tadao is quite short. He has purple hair hanging over his face and covering one of his eyes. He is very pale with a hood over his head. He only wears black with a dark purple rain jacket on top, He has a grey shawl around his neck. His left eye is purple, while his right eye is brown but it is never seen as it is covered by his fringe. He has a black armband on his right arm with a red eye on it. Clearly it is very meaningful to him. He sometimes covers his mouth with his shawl. 




 

Kôzuke Shigetaka

Talent : Ultimate F1 Driver:

Height : 1m63 (5’3’’)

Weight : 51 kg

Birthday : March 11th

Likes : Sharp turns, speed

Dislikes : Traffic, untrustworthy people

 

Bio

Growing up shy, awkward, and a foot shorter than his classmates, Kôzuke had to find a way to stand out from the other boys, and that he did. A passion for cars which quickly mutated into an obsession with racing took over Kôzuke’s life. As years went by, he went from winning regional races to participating in world championships at only 16 years of age. Despite being an anxious young man, all of his worries disappear once he’s behind the wheel and his competitors soon realised that, on the tracks, he’s a force to be reckoned with. 

Physical description

Kôzuke is short and has very short, almost shaved blond hair. He wears a white driver outfit with sponsors all over and medals on his chest pocket. He holds his helmet in his left hand.  He has light blue eyes which are emphasised by his pale white skin. His outfit also has a black and white “finish line” pattern around the waist.

 

Kenji Kimata

Talent : Ultimate Survivor

Height : 1m94 (6’4’’)

Weight : 103 kg

Birthday : July 15th

Likes : Tarantino movies, swearing

Dislikes : Having to wait, the dentist

 

Bio

Kenji is loud, brash and somewhat uncivilized. His happy-go-lucky attitude makes more sense once you learn that this energetic young man spent his entire life in the wild. His explosive personality and his ability to survive any perilous situation he put himself in made him the star of multiple TV shows which followed his adventures all over the world. He might be the most boisterous person in the room but he’s not as air-headed as one might think. In fact, he spends a lot of his free time reading up on his one true passion: nature.

Physical description

Kenji is very tall and bulky. He has long and messy brown hair. He wears an open brown shirt to show his chest revealing a few scars. He wears camo pants, high boots and has sunglasses/goggles hanging from his neck. He has very light blue eyes and a light brown skin. He has a dragon tattoo starting from his right hand all the way up his neck and a fur armband on his left arm. 

 

Reijiro Yamane

Talent : Ultimate Intellectual

Height : 1m76 (5’8’’)

Weight : 59 kg

Birthday : May 21st

Likes : Teas and infusions, discovering new concepts

Dislikes : Being interrupted, remembering names

 

Bio

Reijiro is what some might call a genius. He earned his title of Ultimate Intellectual as an award for his immense contributions in just about every scholarly field. Although he is well known and respected by most of the adults of the country, Reijiro has found it more difficult to be close to people his age. His aloof nature and his smug attitude have never helped him make friends, loneliness does not bother him though. Nobody understands Reijiro as well as he does himself, and he won’t let anybody stand between him and what he’s been studying his entire life : the truth. 

Physical description

Reijiro is well put together and wears his  black hair in a bun, he wears a blue suit with a white shirt. He wears black sight glasses and has green eyes. He also has a pocket watch that hangs from his jacket pocket which is adorned with his former school’s badge.

 

Shinto Masada

Talent :  Ultimate Couple

Height : 1m71 (5’6’’)

Weight : 51 kg

Birthday : February 15th

Likes : Spending time with Yoko, old school fashion

Dislikes : Losing his cane, jealousy

 

Bio

Shinto grew up in a very wealthy family. He met Yoko, his other half, at the nursery and they have been inseparable ever since. His family opposed themselves to the union at first as they already had Shinto’s life planned in its finest details. He was to marry for money, not love. His wedding would be to another heir in order to maintain the dynasty on its path. That didn’t stop Shinto from spending every moment with Yoko though, he threatened to leave his family heirless and to run away until he finally got their blessing. One thing’s for sure, Shinto won’t stop at anything to protect Yoko, no matter the damage it might cause. 

Physical description

Shinto always has an innocent smile on. He is tall and has hazel hair with a vintage black hat with a yellow feather on it. He wears beige elegant pants held by braces and a white shirt. On it there is a yellow tartan bow tie. A dark brown bomber jacket completes the outfit. He has malicious hazel eyes. Finally, he carries around a brown walking cane with a silver lion head on top. 

 

Yoko Kurisu

Talent : Ultimate Couple

Height : 1m71 (5’6’’)

Weight : 49 kg

Birthday : February 13th

Likes : Being elegant, romantic novels

Dislikes : Wasting time, when Shinto talks to other girls.

 

Bio

Yoko’s the fire to Shinto’s cool attitude. Unlike her other half, Yoko grew up in a very modest family which struggled financially. Meeting Shinto changed her life in every way imaginable. Once their forbidden relationship was accepted by the Masada family, they started supporting the Kurisu and allowed them to get their head above water. Even after everything Shinto’s parents put her through, she will always be thankful for what they did. Yoko’s hot-headed, and when she’s passionate about something, she’ll do anything in her power to go through with it. 

Physical description

Yoko wears a yellow tartan skirt with a white shirt and braces and has short blond curly hair. Her outfit matches Shinto’s. She has blue eyes and always carries a white fan with yellow spots on it. She also wears a black embroidered silk choker. She can be described as very pretty and voluptuous

 

Hikari Hisano

Talent :  Ultimate Journalist

Height : 1m67 (5’5’’)

Weight : 51 kg

Birthday : August 1st

Likes : Smiling, taking pictures

Dislikes : The dark, mean comments

 

Bio

“Unabashed, persistent curiosity is the wellspring of great journalism”. Those are the words by which Hikari lives by. She started writing for her father’s newspaper at a very young age and quickly became a renowned columnist in the public eye. No matter that, Hikari won’t rest on her fame. The curiosity that drives her will keep her going every single day as she continues to improve her craft with each article she writes. 

Physical description

Hikari has blond hair in a tight ponytail. She has light grey eyes. She wears a cashmere grey sweater over a pink shirt with a red tie. She carries a notepad and a pen everywhere she goes. She has a camera hung to her neck with a pink strap. She also wears white pants



 

Fukami Ota

Talent : Ultimate Business Woman  

Height : 1m83 (6’0’’)

Weight : 60 kg

Birthday : February 29th

Likes : Politeness, making profit

Dislikes : Falling over, messy rooms

 

Bio

Fukami’s the living definition of the word professional. Having built a financial empire before her 18th birthday, Fukami is the youngest person to ever be featured in Forbes’ 100 list. Her business having developed well, Fukami now has hundreds of employees working under her. In that aspect, she is the boss that most people would want to have, she’s polite, driven and respectful. Her cold demeanor might intimidate some people, but Fukami’s the sort of person who makes it a challenge for anyone to dislike her. In fact, her great achievements and her incredible work ethic will ultimately command respect from most people. 

Physical description

Fukami wears a brown suit and a blue shirt with rustles on her collar and sleeves. She has grey hair in a messy bun held by chopsticks. She has brown eyes. She always carries  her briefcase on her. She wears round sight glasses and has a small golden pin in the shape of a pen on her jacket pocket. 

 

Oriana Akiba

Talent : Ultimate Ballet Dancer

Height : 1m46 (4’8’’)

Weight : 39 kg

Birthday : November 19th

Likes : Orchids, classical music

Dislikes : Creating problems, tight clothes.

 

Bio

Oriana’s extremely shy and feeble but that shouldn’t take anything away from how extraordinarily talented she is. She has starred in the Bolshoi ballet among others and has been performing in front of sold out crowds for years. Her success didn’t come naturally either, Oriana is what some might call a grinder. She spent the first years of her life pushing herself to the extreme in order to become the best. Don’t let her fragile appearance trick you, as this girl is one of the most resilient and determined dancers in the business. Some say that if she managed to get over her confidence issues, she would reaffirm her positions as one of the greatest of all times. 

Physical description

Oriana is very short. She has Dark brown hair in a bun with a white net to hold it in place. She wears a pink corset and ballet skirt accompanied by ballet shoes. She has a very pale white skin. Her eyes are pink. Finally, she carries a pink ballet ribbon on a stick that she twirls which she puts it in her skirt when unused.

 

Raiko Itake

Talent : Ultimate Schemer

Height : 1m65 (5’4’’)

Weight : 46 kg

Birthday : October 31st

Likes : Audrey Hepburn, causing mayhem

Dislikes : Sun-burns, non-smokers

 

Bio

Raiko’s title is of the Ultimate Schemer, and for good reason. An expert manipulator and a natural liar, Raiko rose to notoriety in the bad parts of town for her skills. She can get anybody to do anything you want if you have enough money to pay for her services. She’s even worked for the government in some top secret missions which she is contractually obligated to keep quiet about. Raiko’s not scared to get her hands dirty to get what she wants, but she’d prefer it if she could get somebody else to do the dirty work for her. 

Physical description

Raiko wears black tight trousers with a white blouse which has black spots and little silk veils dropping from sleeves at the wrist. She also wears a cropped purple jacket. She has purple eyes and black long hair all tied back creating quite a bit of volume . She carries a white umbrella with purple lines opened above her even indoors and has a black long cigarette holder in her other hand. 

 

Fusume Ebisawa

Talent : Ultimate Ninja

Height : 1m75 (5’7’’)

Weight : 58 kg

Birthday : January 17th

Likes : Infiltration, rice cakes

Dislikes : Speaking for nothing, parties

 

Bio

Fusume trained all her life in order to become a full-fledged ninja. Despite the fantasized image of her profession in manga and media, she takes her job very seriously. Fusume’s humble, rigorous and protective. She believes that as a ninja, it is her duty to protect everybody else, often exerting huge amounts of mental pressure on herself. She might appear frigid, but Fusume’s an incredibly caring person who wants nothing but the wellbeing of her friends and loved ones, even though she doesn’t find it easy to express those feelings. 

Physical description

Fusume has brown hair with a scruffy fringe almost covering her red eyes. More hair is falling lower on either side of her eyes. The rest falls along her back until reaching the start of her thighs. She has a piercing on her left eyebrow, and has a small rose stem over her right ear. She wears navy blue long trousers, but her right leg is covered in bandages up to the knee. She wears a short-kimono with discreet red roses on either side of the chest, the sleeves stop at the middle of the arm. It is closed together with a navy blue rope with some Kunais and two shuriken attached. Under her kimono she has a lace t-shirt. 

 

Jessie Shadow

Talent : Ultimate Translator

Height : 1m62 (5’3’’)

Weight : 42 kg

Birthday : April 22nd

Likes : Anime, travelling

Dislikes : Racism, tabbouleh

 

Bio

Jessie’s a real ball of energy that is passionate about languages and foreign cultures. Born in the United States, Jessie came to Japan to study and to broaden her horizons. Fluent in about 30 languages and comfortable in 30 more, Jessie’s translator services are in high demand in international organisations and conventions. Despite her heavy workload, Jessie’s always enthusiastic about her work and approaches every new task with a smile on her face. She loves what she does and feels grateful for the opportunity that she has, using her talent to do some good in the world. 

Physical description

She carries a pink backpack and wears an orange T-shirt with a globe on it.  She wears light blue leggings. She has brown straight hair and is fairly dark skinned. In her pocket she has a language dictionary. She has bright green eyes. She has multiple souvenirs of different places she visited. A necklace with the Eiffel tower, a Norway flag pin on her breast pocket and Multiple keychains with monuments (coliseum, liberty statue etc…) showing from her pockets.

 

 

Rina Ishido

Talent : Ultimate Actress

Height : 1m69 (5’5’’)

Weight : 40kg

Birthday : June 16th

Likes : Being idolized, jewelry

Dislikes : When people don’t recognise her, “the pleb”

 

Bio

Rina started off as a child actor and back then, movie critics were in awe about how precise and well polished her acting was. She later proved herself to be a versatile actor who could give breathtaking performances in every possible genre. From romantic comedy to thrillers, Rina won prizes for most of her roles and quickly became a star. She loves the fame and she’s definitely full of herself but there’s no denying how talented the young woman is. Today, she is one of the most well respected actors in the business, and with a flourishing career and an army of fans behind her, one might wonder what could stop Rina Ishido in her quest for greatness. 

Physical description

Rina wears a lot of makeup. She has wavy brown hair that comes down to shoulders. She wears a lot of jewelry and a long yellow dress. She constantly wears white silk gloves and carries a thermos full of coffee. She has brown eyes and wears a silver tiara with a big saphyr in the center  

Notes:

That is the report cards done! Now I can get to work on finishing the first part of chapter one. I am still looking for some free time votes so if there is a character you want to learn more from pleeaaaase do let me know :)

Chapter 4: Chapter 1 : Trusting is Letting Go : Daily Life (Part 1)

Notes:

It took me longer than I expected, but here's the first part of Chapter 1! Hopefully you'll enjoy it.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

_______________________

 

Chapter 1 : Trusting is Letting Go

 

________________________

 

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a Jacuzzi, holding some sort of cocktail glass in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Gooood Morning! This is your director speaking, it’s now 8:00 AM! Look out the window, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. A perfect weather to kill wouldn’t you say?

Get ready for a spectacular day everyone!

 

Ugh, what the hell is this? I swear if this thing rings every morning… Let’s be honest I won’t do anything about it. Because I can’t, but it’s gonna be a real pain.

 

I still can’t shake off this feeling of having nothing I can do, the events of yesterday just shook me I have to say. It’s just so unreal, this place, these people, this… bear. Either way, I need to find a way out of here ASAP. My gut tells me things are going to be just fine and

yet, I still feel uneasy in a way I never have before. This… game, I just don’t know what to do...

 

Oh that reminds me! I need to check the rules, I forgot to do that yesterday so I should be doing that now, I still have some time to kill before the meeting with everyone. The tablet should be on the bedside table

 

{Examine Bedside Table}

 

The screen lit up once again “Welcome to the Holidays of Mutual Killing” it said. There were a couple of different menus and a picture of me on the top right corner. I don’t remember taking this picture but whatever, I should not waste my time on anything superfluous. Let’s see the “rules” tab. They read as follows:

 

Rule #1 : Residents are to stay in the resort until further notice, there is no official end date to these holidays.

 

Rule #2 : Residents may investigate and go around the resort to their own discretion, new areas will be made available as time passes.

 

Rule #3 : Violence against the director is strictly prohibited and is punishable by instant execution.

 

Rule #4 : The hours between 10 PM and 8 AM are considered night time. Facilities like the gym, the restaurant among others will be closed at this time. Lights will be off by default in common areas, but they can still be turned back on manually. The direction apologizes for any inconvenience.

 

Rule #5 : Once a murder is committed, a class trial will take place. Participation to said trial is mandatory for all surviving residents.

 

Rule #6 : If the “blackened” student is discovered at the end of the trial, they alone will be executed, the other residents will be safe.

 

Rule #7 : If the “blackened” student is not discovered, they will be pardoned and allowed to leave the resort while the remaining residents all get punished instead.

 

Rule #8 : If there is no case of a “blackened“ successfully getting away with their crime, the game will continue until only two residents remain.

 

Rule #9 : If multiple residents are involved in the preparation, execution or clean up of a murder, only the one who has directly committed the crime will be considered blackened. Additionally, a single “blackened” can kill a maximum of two people.

 

Rule #10 : The “body discovery announcement” will play when 3 residents discover a body, this number DOES NOT include the blackened.

 

Extra Rule : New rules might be added by the director at all times.

Hmmm, so this killing game thing was no joke, there is quite a lot of organisation involved. I’m guessing ignoring these rules is a bad idea, this bear is dangerous. I’ll play along for now, until we find a way out at least.

 

Anyways, I should get dressed and meet the others, I don’t want to be late to our very first meeting. Hopefully people will show up…

 

{Flashback}

 

Kenji: What if I don’t come…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I beg your pardon?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I said, what if I don’t come huh? What are you gonna do about it mister.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

I’m basically praying for things to turn out less tense than last night.

I should get going now anyways.

 

{Move to room hallway}

 

{Move to second floor}

 

{Move to restaurant}

 

??? : 8:12, mmph, I’m impressed this many people decided to show up early.

 

From the condescending tone, there was no mistaking who was the owner of the voice that greeted me.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Now, we still have to wait for… {Pensive} five people. I do hope the hold will be short.

 

Kyia: Don’t worry about it dude, I mean they’re not late just yet are they?

 

Reijiro: {Cleaning glasses} I would not assume so quickly that all sixteen of us will show up. I have my doubts for some.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} K-kenji will come man, I’m sure of it.

 

With my arrival there were now eleven people in the restaurant, Kôzuke, Kyia, Shinto and Yoko on a table, Jessie, Fukami and Hikari on another. Reijiro was standing impatiently with his arms crossed. Finally, Tadao and Fusume were as to be expected eating by themselves.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} So, Reijiro are you going to announce anything or is this just another waste of time?

 

Reijiro: mmph, I would rather wait for as many people to be here before I start speaking. {Serious glare} I hate repeating myself.

 

Jessie: {Searching through backpack} Oh, comprehensible , so who is it we are still waiting for?

 

Fukami: {Adjust glasses} If memory serves, Itake-san, Akeno-san, Kimata-san, Ishido-san and… oh and Akiba-san are all missing.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Ahem, and for those who don’t know everybody’s last names just yet, you mind repeating that list?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} We’re waiting for Raiko, Yoshi, Kenji, Rina and Oriana.

 

???: No you ain’t.

 

A deep voice came out from behind us. I turned around to look at the door.

 

Yoshi: {Bows} You ain’t waitin’ for the great Yoshi Akeno as he just made his dramatic entrance. Be amazed y’all.

 

He then proceeded to execute some sort of barrel roll on the floor before getting back up and bowing, probably expecting us to clap… Yeah, no thanks.

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} G-good morning, Yoshi-kun.

 

Yoshi: {Juggling with one hand, thoughtful expression} Grrr, ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED.

 

No… no we’re not.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, I will ask you to get some food and sit down, we do not have time for your clowning.

 

Yoshi: Fine…

 

He walked past me and I heard him muttering something about the youth being so hard to please. Pretty sure he is among the younger people here. Mmh, I should stop trying to make sense of what this guy says.

 

Reijiro: I shall wait another five minutes or so, we will see if any of the four latecomers decide to show up.

 

Ok, I’m not just going to wait five minutes without doing anything, I’ll get some cereals and see if I can talk to some of the people here.

 

{Talk to Hikari}

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Heya Hayato, did you sleep well?

 

Hayato: Tremendously, I haven’t had such trouble waking up in some time.

 

Hikari: Well, that announcement is so loud it makes it quite hard not to wake up.

 

Hayato: True that, I definitely would have slept a couple hours more though.

 

Hikari: {Centers tie} Same here! I’m dying for a nap right now hahaha.

 

She looks a lot better than she did yesterday, I should still ask her how she feels.

 

Hayato: So… have you recovered a little bit from yesterday?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Don’t you worry about it! I am fine and as stable as a snowman in winter.

 

Is this going to be a recurring theme, her using expressions that don’t exist?

Anyways, it’s good to see she’s feeling alright and back to her cheerful self.

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} It’s sweet that you came to check up on me, but you better go speak to other people, get out of your comfort zone Hayato! Go, fly the nest!

 

Ugh, I should have known… Guess she won’t let me just stay with her will she?

 

Hikari: {Scribbles through notes} I’ll catch you later Hayato! Make me proud!

 

This girl…

 

Ok, who next.

 

{Talk to Fukami}

 

Hayato: Hi Fukami.

 

Fukami: {Strokes chin} Ahem, good morning Seiki-san, I was conversing with Shadow-san, we can get your opinion on the matter maybe.

 

Hayato: Sure what is it?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Gute Idee Fukami-chan, en fait , we were wondering if Kenji-kun will show up this morning. After last night’s tvist … um last night’s argument sorry.

 

It’s true that I was wondering the same thing, honestly can we really know for sure how this will all play out? Probably not.

 

Hayato: I don’t know honestly, I hope so though. If he doesn’t come it’s definitely gonna be tense… Between him and Reijiro I mean and I’d rather not see that.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} Correct, tensions could lead to… to something worse. Best case scenario, Kimata-san decides to grace us with his presence.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Yeah, it really would suck if he didn’t show up. Alright, well here is to Kenji-kun not being a meanie and letting go of his pride.

 

They’re right, it would really be problematic. All we can do now is wait though…

 

{Talk to Kyia}

 

Kyia: {Peace sign} Yo yo yo, if it isn’t good old Hayato! How you doing on this fine day?

 

Somebody’s very cheerful. Can’t say I’m surprised though.

 

Hayato: I’m fine I slept quite well, how are you all?

 

Shinto: Just perfect, I’m feeling quite rested and ready to go.

 

Yoko: {Kissing picture of Shinto} Oh yes, how great a day with you is my love.

 

Ew. Do these two ever realise we might not want to hear their conversations.

 

Kyia: {Aside} Yeah, they never stop being in love the two of them. But good for them! {Pained expression} I’d like to be as lucky as them sometimes .

 

Does he mean like love-wise?

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} Anyways, doesn’t matter, we’re all going to have a wonderful day, isn’t that right Kôzuke.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried}...

 

Hayato: Kôzuke?

 

Kôzuke: {Surprised} Wh-what? Yeah yeah totally man.

 

Kyia: {Stretching} Come. On. Dude. You gotta tell me what’s wrong with you.

 

Kôzuke: Nothing man. {Little smile} I’m all good!

 

Clearly, Kôzuke is out of it, is he still sad about last night?

 

{Flashback}

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I… I thought I could trust you man… Guess I was wrong.

 

Kôzuke left, he definitely seemed a bit shaken by that. Kenji and him seemed pretty close.

 

Kenji: {Calm} N-no Kôzuke, wait don’t go, I’m sorry bro. WAIT!

 

Kenji left as well.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

That definitely seemed to have hurt him, when Kenji said those things. Hopefully things will be fine.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} You know what the real problem is?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} No, Yoko please not again…

 

Yoko: {Runs hand through hair} These idiots who run this place don’t even let Shinto and I share a room, I had to sleep by myself.

 

This was to be expected wasn’t it?

 

Shinto: It’s not that big of a deal really…

 

Yoko: {Angry} What do you mean it’s not a big deal. OF COURSE IT IS!

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} Hmm, Shinto what is it that happened exactly?

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Well, yesterday night we were going to go to sleep, and Monokuma just barged in front of my room…

 

Yoko: Yeah that… that beast said I was not aloud to sleep with Shinto, said “that would require a mature rating” or some bullshit like that.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} So… Yoko has been rather pissed off all morning.

 

Yoko: What do you mean pissed off. I’M NOT PISSED OFF AT ALL. Why do you always have to make me seem like the bad one huh?

 

Shinto: No, darling that’s not what I meant.

 

Yoko: {Angry} YES IT IS, AM I NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU, IS THAT IT?

 

Kyia gave me a look that I understood meant “get out of here before it’s too late“. I will do just that, I mean it is quite funny to see their arguments but I don’t want to have to give marriage counseling right now. At least this brought a smile to Kôzuke’s face. He seemed amused, that’s good, I guess.

 

{Talk to Fusume}

 

I don’t even know why I’m coming to her, she still scares me shitless but I should try right? She looks in a bad mood as well, I’m definitely gonna regret this.

 

Hayato: Hey there Fusume, do you mind if I sit with you?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Mmh? Yeah, sure… sure come I don’t care.

 

Enthusiasm, ladies and gents! At least I’m not dead yet.

 

Hayato: Are… are you okay? You look tired, did you not sleep well?

 

Fusume: {Falling asleep} What… no I am perfectly fine, I am fine, I am…

 

Nope, she’s not fine. What’s her deal? I don’t get it.

 

Hayato: How much did you sleep last night?

 

Fusume: I… I do not sleep, sleep if for the weak. I have to… to stay alert, at all times.

 

Wow, okay then, wise decisions you’re taking, I get she might have been worried but like, is this a good idea?

 

Fusume: {Falling asleep} Everyone’s safety is my… only… concern. I cannot let my guard down…

 

Hayato: Okay but there is nothing you can do at night to protect us you know, you should have gotten some sleep, you’re going to be tired all day now…

 

Fusume: N-nonesense, I am as awake as… can… be… zzzzzz

 

And with a huge bang her head hit the table. Yeah she’s fast asleep already.

 

Kyia: {Hand over mouth} What the heck happened dude?

 

Hayato: She fell asleep, I don’t think she slept at all last night… Let’s leave her to rest.

 

Kyia: Oh… okay sure.

 

I mean Reijiro will most probably wake her up for his announcements but I won’t dare doing it myself, I’ll let him handle her anger. It’s better that way.

 

{Talk to Reijiro}

 

Let’s see, I’ve had a chat with everyone here, okay, well not Tadao but talking to him is basically impossible so I’ll pass. Guess all I can do now is talk to Reijiro.

 

Hayato: H-Hey Reijiro, do you think the four missing will show up?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, it would be very disappointing that so many have already decided to disrupt the peace, it’s only our second day here.

 

Hayato: Disrupt the peace? How so?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I set up this meeting to keep order and order leads to peace. However, by refusing to attend, they would be undermining my authority and refusing my proposal of peace. That is my conclusion.

 

So, um, Reijiro’s maybe making just a bit of a big deal out of this… I won’t argue with him on this one though.

 

Hayato: So, anyways what is it you wanted to tell us?

 

Reijiro: {Serious glare} Enough, I do not have time for aimless banter. It’s 8:28, I’ll start my morning remarks in two minutes, I suggest you sit down and just let it happen, that way we can get it over as quickly as possible.

 

Oh ok then… I really don’t want to question him right now, even though he is being unbearably cocky…

 

I sat back down next to Hikari who greeted me with her usual smile. As I got comfortable on the hard metal chair, another voice came from the door.

 

???: G-good morning um… everyone, so s-sorry I’m late…

 

Jessie: {Pointing finger} Oriana-chan!!! Don’t worry you’re not late at all!

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Mmph, you almost are actually.

 

Everybody immediately stared Reijiro down with menacing eyes, could he not be nice with poor little Oriana?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} B-but {Smug} Ahem, no matter, you’re right on time.

 

Oriana took a yoghurt from the buffet table and sat down next to Jessie who hugged her.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Now then, it will be exactly 8:30 in about 20 seconds. Mmph, I’ll start my morning remarks. So…

 

??? : DID SOMEBODY SAY RIGHT ON TIME?!

 

I turned around to see Kenji, visibly out of breath.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Ha… ha… I’m on time, It took some fast running I’ll tell you that, but I fucking made it.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} K-kenji…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph, I’m glad you decided to join us, you may take a seat, I was just about to get started.

 

Kenji: {Panting} Wait, a second Plato, let me… catch my breath, I ran like the fucking wind to be here on time.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I would much rather start on time… you can catch your breath from a sitting position can you not?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You little sh-

 

Kôzuke: Kenji…

 

Kenji: {Looks away} Grrr… fine. I’ll sit down.

 

Kenji looked at the table Kôzuke was sitting at with hesitation before finally sitting next to Fusume’s unconscious body with a disappointed look on his face.

 

Kenji: {Scratching head} She’s not dead right?

 

I shook my head no, she was completely out of it, but she was definitely still alive.

 

Kenji: Oh ok, thank fuck…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} If you all are done, I’ll start saying what I had to say.

 

Fukami: {Interrogative with finger on chin} Should we not be waiting for Ishido-san and Itake-san?

 

Reijiro: {Serious glare} No. They should have been punctual. Now, if all of you could please let me speak uninterrupted, I’d appreciate it largely.

 

Yes sir…

 

Reijiro: I do not know what you all have been up to yesterday, but I have been investigating this building, there is definitely no way out just yet, however judging from the map on the Resident ID…

 

There’s a map on there? Damn, I should maybe pay that tablet more attention when I have a little time.

 

Reijiro: There are 4 other buildings to be explored, I do assume that we will be granted access in due time.

For the moment, I recommend that you all take the time to familiarize yourselves will the different areas of this building. For those who haven’t I will quickly run you over my discoveries.

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} Jesus, dude. How long will this take. Can’t we explore by ourselves?

 

Reijiro: {Serious glare} It will take as long as it must! And you will listen. This is for your own good.

 

Kyia: Whatever…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} As I was saying, on the very bottom floor is the gym with some changing rooms as well as a work out room.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Sick, these fucking muscles can finally be entertained.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Loser…

 

Reijiro: Mmph, on the ground floor are our rooms as well as the main aula with a reception, it contains documents with information on the history of this whole resort, nothing too useful apart from that.

 

I’d still like to check those papers out if I can, it can be interesting...

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Moving on, in case you are too idiotic to have noticed, we are currently on the second floor, the restaurant is located here.

 

From here you can take a staircase up to the roof area. On said staircase there is a door that leads to the library.

 

So that’s the door that Hikari and I saw on our literal journey to the roof.

 

{Flashback}

 

Hhh, Hhh, how… how long was this staircase. I am so out of breath and oh god… Hikari looks perfectly fine, ok Hayato don’t be stupid, the trick is not to look exhausted…

 

Hikari: {Laughs} Haha, I guess Kenji was right in assuming you don’t do much sports, wasn’t he?

 

Hmm, That plan’s out of the window now.

 

Hayato: Well, I mean I try occasionally, but it’s not easy with my schedule you know and like…

 

Hikari: {Smiles} I’m kidding, don’t worry, the staircase is excessively long but we are quite high up right now, this might be why. You might have noticed a doors was locked on the way up here. There might be another floor we can’t access just yet.

 

{Ends flashback}

 

I wonder how he got in the room though it was locked when we passed in front of it…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Finally, the rooftop area is fitted out to have people up there, there are chairs, tables and a covered area with changing rooms and a small pool house… without a pool.

 

Yeah, these changing rooms were quite puzzling, why would you need to get changed up there.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} Actually, Yamane-san if I may…

 

Reijiro: What is it?

 

Fukami: There is an inflatable swimming pool in one of the closets of the pool house, this might be the reason for the changing rooms.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Perhaps it is. {Two hands on chest} Thank you for this revelation.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} I don’t know about you guys but I’m definitely trying out that pool!

 

Inflatable pool? That sounds kinda nice actually.

 

Reijiro: I believe this resumes all there is to say about this building, as you may notice this is all quite traditional for a summer resort to have, minus maybe the library {Satisfied} but it is quite a nice addition.

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} Alright, alright well thank you dude for this info. Everyone! I think Reijiro is right, his word is good but we all need to have first hand experience with this whole area, so I propose we try visiting each room during the day! At least once to get familiar with it all.

 

Reijiro: My thinking exactly, well said…

 

Wow, did I just hear Reijiro say something nice?? What is this, a dream?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Now for the other topic of discussion this morning.

 

Fukami: Hmm, what can it be?

 

Reijiro: I wanted to advise you all to be in groups as often as possible.

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Why is that?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} As I said earlier, I will make sure that no one dies, you have my word. To guarantee your safety however, it is important everybody spends minimal time by themselves, as a precaution of sorts.

 

Yoko: {Blank expression} My Shinto and I will always be together, so this is not a problem for us.

 

Yoshi: {Flips hair} Dis’ be workin’ for the Yosh’.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I… I don’t like being by myself…

 

Kyia: {Peace sign} Alright everybody you heard the man, try avoiding being by yourselves okay?

 

I feel like Kyia is starting to impose himself as a second leader of sorts, good for him. At least I trust him.

 

Kyia: Even those who wanna do some sort of lone wolf thing, please listen to our advice. Tadao does that works for you?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} It won’t change a thing… Death is inevitable.

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} I’ll take that as a “yes thank you Kyia”, {Deep in thought} what about you Fusume?

 

Fusume: …

 

Kyia: Please don’t tell me she slept through all this? She did didn’t she?

 

I gave him a compassionate look, even though I found this very amusing deep down.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Either way, this is all I have to say at the moment, but remember, if anything, ANYTHING at all seems out of place, you must notify me.

 

Thus, this concludes this meeting, I wish you all a good breakfast. Now, if you’ll excuse me.

 

He left.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Does Reijiro-kun never eat?

 

Fukami: He got here about an hour early, I must presume that is when he had breakfast.

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera lense} It’s a real shame Rina and Raiko didn’t end up coming though…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Whatever, it’s their fucking problem.

 

Kyia: Okaayy, brothers and sisters, take your time to finish eating and remember what Reijiro said. Do come talk to me if you have any issue! I’ll see you all around yeah?

 

With that, Kyia left as well.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} If we’re done here, Shinto and I will be going our own way.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} I’m not done eating yet honey!

 

Yoko: I’m leaving. Suit yourself.

 

That’s a third person gone.

 

Shinto : N-no no wait for me!

 

Make that four.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} These two… They’re so cute aren’t they?

 

Meh…

 

 

The rest of breakfast went without a hitch. I finished eating my cereal as people left gradually. This went on until I was left alone in the restaurant. I wanted to take my time and frankly I don’t like being watched when I eat, so I let Hikari go.

 

Truth is I’m worried, about what Reijiro said…

 

{Flashback}

 

Reijiro: Now for the other topic of discussion this morning, I wanted to advise you all to be in groups as often as possible.

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Why is that?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I will make sure no one dies, you have my word. To guarantee your safety however, it is important everybody spends minimal time by themselves, as a precaution of sorts.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

If he takes this precaution, then it means he still thinks somebody here is capable… of murder.

 

That can’t be the case though can it.

 

People here are all either nice or simply incapable of violence and even Raiko who’s scary as hell wouldn’t go so far, at least I don’t think she would.

 

 

These worried thoughts stuck in my head as I tried reassuring myself over and over again and without me noticing the time went by very quickly.

 

 

Christ! Is that the time?? It’s already 9:30. It took me one hour to eat a bowl of cereals, well done me.

Anyways I am literally ignoring the one piece of advice Reijiro gave the group by staying by myself. I should do something, hang out with someone, even though I really hate doing that. I mean some people here are… tolerable, I guess.

 

Alright then, what should I do with my free time??

 

 

Notes:

Next chapter will have two free time slots and will hopefully be done quite soon. I don't quite know if anybody wants to fill this but I made a strawpoll for free time votes just in case you want to have your word in how the story progresses : https://www.strawpoll.me/15682878 This is important to me because I don't want to just choose random characters for free time. Hopefully some of you will vote.

 

Thanks again for reading and I'll see you in the next one :)

Chapter 5: Chapter 1 : Trusting is Letting Go : Daily Life (Part 2)

Notes:

FTE went to Jessie and Reijiro, more information on next chapter at the end. Enjoy :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

In the corridor as I was leaving the restaurant, I saw… Is that Kyia and Reijiro talking? I don’t want to eavesdrop but… screw it,  this has got to be interesting.

 

Kyia: {Hurt expression} Come on bro, we’ve got enough rules going on right now.

 

Reijiro: Mmph, {Smug} I suppose you have a better solution to offer the group then?

 

Kyia: {Peace sign} I… I sure do. Trust me! I’ll make sure everyone is doing alright. Nothing bad will happen!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I will entrust you with what we talked about then, I have got to admit you are probably more popular among the group than I am…

 

Kyia: {Blushes} Aww, c’mon don’t say that, you’re doing just fine, it’s just some of these people are being dicks that’s all.

 

Reijiro: Mmph, I do not need your sympathy. I shall take my leave now.

 

Kyia: {Serious} Take it easy.

 

I should start walking away before they catch me peeping.

 

 

What the hell was that about…

 

No matter, back to exploring.

 

{Move to Library} 

 

I decided to explore the library first, as an author, It’s kind of natural that this is where my gut tells me to go.

Truthfully, I was not expecting what I saw. Behind the previously locked door was a huge room, a lot bigger than I could have thought.

 

{Examine Futons}

 

There are three big black and white futons with little red swirls to sit on and read I’m guessing, looks comfy. The design reminds me of something or someone, but I can’t quite put my finger on what.

 

{Examine Pile of stools}

 

There is a pile of grey stools in the corner of the room, hmmm, I should keep this in mind, it might be helpful to know where to find stuff in the future.

 

{Examine Bookshelf}

 

There must be so many books here, heck now that I think about it even some of my books could be here who knows?

 

 

My curiosity is getting the better of me, I need to check!

 

{Examine Bookshelf “P-U”}

 

P-U if they have anything under my name it should be in here. Let’s have a little browse…

 

 

Huh, nothing. Well I can’t say I’m not disappointed. Whatever, must have expected Monokuma to have shit tastes in books. N-no, no my feelings are not hurt at all, I am 100% fine. I bet this is just provocation, He…  He’s taunting me...

 

 

This fucker.

 

...

 

Gosh, I gotta take my mind of this, I’m becoming paranoid, let’s talk to someone.

 

{Free time starts} 

 

{Talk to Jessie}

 

Jessie: {Smiles with two thumbs up} Heya Hayato-kun, you know you wanna help me decipher this book, ahem my Japanese is still a bit rusty…

 

Should I spend time with Jessie?

 

{Yes/No}

 

I spent the morning reading etymology books with Jessie, she was definitely into it, even though I must say I got bored very easily.

 

I think we grew a little closer.

 

Hayato: So, tell me Jessie, how did you get into translation?

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} : Oh, umm…

 

Crap, did I say something I shouldn’t have?

 

Hayato: I’m sorry if I…

 

Jessie: That is fine, it’s just that this is quite a traurig tale for me to tell.

 

Hayato: If you don’t want to talk about it it’s totally fine.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Je veux m’exprimer, I… I will inform you, if that’s what you want.

 

Hayato: S-sure sure yeah.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Mi madre, my mother, left mi padre when I was only a couple months old, I know usually it is the other way around but, that’s how it was.

 

Well surely that’s not a good way to start your life...

 

Jessie: My father was a diplomat, for the United States, μέχρι σήμερα I still don’t quite get what his exact job was, but he had to move country every year and me with him.

 

Hayato: Wow… How many countries did you end up living in?

 

Jessie: 16, I believe. So here I was, young, onschuldig and living with a man who had no time for me. {Crying} Being a single child and moving as often as I did, I never had real friends, that means my only way out was libri , ahem... books.

 

Hayato: And I assume you learnt the language of every country you lived in…

 

Jessie: {Stroking chin} Exactement! I just fell in love with languages, that’s how it all started, but I’m not traurig , not anymore! {Smiling with two thumbs up} This made me who I am today, I can’t forget this Hayato-kun!

 

She seems so bubbly and excited all the time but she is so strong, I can’t imagine how hard her childhood must have been.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} I can see it in your eyes, you’re patronizing me, 止めて下さい please!

 

Hayato: I-I’m sorry I just can’t help but feel bad.

 

Jessie: {Fists on hips, angry} Well don’t, I am perfectly fine! La vie est belle as they say in France, {Sceptical}  have you ever been to France Hayato-kun?

 

Swiftly changing subject I see, I’ll play along, clearly her childhood is a soft spot.

 

Hayato: No, sadly, I have never left Japan actually.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed}  Schade , it’s a beautiful country.

 

Hayato: Did you ever live there ?

 

Jessie: Yup, for a year, Paris is just as great as I expected it to be! My house was right next to the biggest avenue in Paris…

 

Hayato: Let me guess, are you talking about the

 

    1. Champs de Citées
    2. Champs Elysées
    3. Champs Déprimées

 

Hayato: The Champs Elysées right, I heard about it in class I believe.

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Précisément, Good job, Hayato-kun!

Alligevel, France, is so wonderful, et le Français est une langue si belle…

 

Don’t know what that meant… something about French right?

Jessie: {Searching through backpack} You know what Hayato-kun, thanks to this conversation, I made my mind up.

 

Hayato: Mmh, about what?

 

Jessie: If I get out of here, {Smiling with double thumbs up} I’m moving to France!

 

Hayato: WHEN you get out of here, we are all escaping this place, that’s a fact.  

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Mmh, how can you be so sure, ma mõtlen

 

Hayato: Trust me, I… I have faith in everyone here, we will find a way out.

 

Jessie: {Starry eyes} I hope we do! Paris is waiting for me.

 

Hayato: What about your dad though?

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Well, {Starry eyed} I’m basically an adult, I can live wherever I want!

 

I mean you’re not an adult just yet but you know.

 

Jessie: {Looks up} That is where I’m meant to be. I know it.

 

 

She spent the rest of the time we spent together talking about the hundreds of reasons France is better than Japan, good thing I’m not that attached to my country, I could have been offended!

 

Either way, Jessie has a real reason to get out, a dream, I can only envy her for that.

 

I understand Jessie a bit better now.

 

{Jessie’s report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

A few hours later, I said bye to Jessie and went back to my room.

 

 

It’s almost lunchtime, I should go to the restaurant. I’m getting kind of hungry… Hopefully there’ll be some people there to hang out with.

 

{Move to Room hallway} 

 

{Talk to Kyia}

 

Hayato: Hi Kyia,

 

Kyia: {Peace sign} Yo yo yo, Hayato! My brother from another mother, you heading to lunch?

 

Hayato: Yup.

 

Kyia: Damn straight, {Laughs} Let’s go there together yeah?

 

Hayato: Hmmm, yes sure thing.

 

Kyia: Alright alright, let’s do this!

 

We started walking towards the restaurant, I’m starting to realise that… I can’t help but feel safe around this guy, I mean he has such a positive vibe around him…

Here he was just laughing to himself… Lucky him.

I’m still too worried about the situation to be so cheerful.

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} So tell me dude, what’s wrong?

 

Hayato: Hm? What do you mean?

 

Kyia: {Peace sign} Come on bro, I’m no fool, I can see you’re troubled, so why don’t you tell me what happened…

 

I guess it’s that obvious huh, I have never been the best at hiding my emotions to be honest.

 

Hayato: Its… it’s nothing in particular, just this whole… place you know, it’s kinda creeping me out.

 

Kyia: {Hurt expression} Yeah, I get that, {Peace sign} But don’t worry bout it bro, just go with the flow, let it all happen, Reijiro and I have got this covered.

 

Hmm, this has got to be about what they were talking about earlier, I’m still puzzled on what it could have been though.

 

Kyia: Just take a chill pill and always stay positive, that’s what I do and it works beautifu-

 

???: KYAHHHHHHHHH

 

That scream, I recognise it…

 

Right as we were approaching the staircase leading to the restaurant, with her characteristic outcry, Fukami came rolling down the stairs. When I say rolling, I mean rolling. Like full on barrell roll.

How did this even happen?

Hayato: W-what the hell?

 

Kyia: Fukami! Are you okay??

 

Taking Kyia’s hand, she sat up.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} I… I  seem to have slipped, my apologies for this accident, I… I am just so clumsy. In any case I am doing… fine.

 

How is she so composed after that fall!? And is that… blood ?

 

Hayato: Fukami your hand, it’s bleeding!

 

Kyia: She’s wha… ARGHHH

 

Hayato: Kyia?

 

Kyia: {Horrified} GET AWAY FROM ME!

 

He suddenly let go of her hand, letting her drop back on the floor.

 

Kyia: {Horrified} Y-you you got it on me you fucking…

 

What the hell is going on?

 

Hayato: Kyia… what’s happen-

 

Kyia: GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME, ALL OF YOU!

 

He ran off.

 

...

 

Rina: Oh. Em. Geee, that just happened.

 

Now she’s here?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What was that all about man?

 

Hayato: I… I don’t know.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} What’s with all the screaming leute?

 

Fukami: I see, all this noise has brought unwanted attention on this embarrassing situation. {Gets up} I… {Bows} I am sorry I disturbed your routines with my… clumsiness.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Mmph, what is with this circus…

 

Yoshi: Did somebody say circus?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Ugh, not you…

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Hey, that ain’t nice.

 

Reijiro: Somebody bring Fukami to the reception, there’s a medical kit there. I’ll go find Kyia.

 

Jessie: I’m on it. Let’s go Fukami-chan!

 

Jessie and Fukami left.

 

Hikari: {Adjusts tie} Um, Reijiro, may I, I think Kyia’d be more inclined to talk if I went.

 

Mostly everyone is here now, Both Fukami and Kyia’s screams were pretty loud so this explains that.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} : As you wish, just bring him to me when you are done, we need to have a word.

The rest of you, head to the restaurant, there is no need to make a scene.

 

Rina: {Yawning} Too late for that smartypants, {Sips on coffee} god damn it, can’t a celebrity have some quiet time around here.

 

She started leaving.

 

Reijiro: Not you, {Points at Rina} I want to have a word with you.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Ugh, if this is about your stupid morning announcement thing, I’m sorry I need my beauty sleep ok? This skin won't look this perfect without effort. Sorry, maybe I’ll show up tomorrow, {Mumbles} Wouldn’t count on it though...

 

Here she was, leaving again.

 

Reijiro: {Serious glare} Stay. Here.

 

And with these two simple words, Reijiro completely froze the atmosphere, she never would have dared leaving after this menacing look.

 

Rina: Ugh, fine.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} The rest of you, go. NOW!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} No need to say it twice, shall we Hayato man?

 

Hayato: Yeah… Yeah sure.

 

What was all that about? Between Fukami’s potential injuries, Reijiro’s death stares and Kyia’s… I don’t even know how to call it.

 

{Flashback}

 

Kyia: She’s wha… ARGHHH

 

Hayato: Kyia?

 

Kyia: {Horrified} GET AWAY FROM ME!

 

He suddenly let go of her hand, letting her drop back on the floor.

 

Kyia: {Horrified} Y-you you got in on me you fucking…

 

What the hell is going on?

 

Hayato: Kyia… what’s happen-

 

Kyia: GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME, ALL OF YOU!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

I’d never seen him like that nor would I have imagined he could flip this way… So much for positivity huh?

 

{Move to second floor}

 

{Move to restaurant}

 

I sat with Kôzuke but really, there was no point in trying to socialize. The restaurant was dead silent after all this. I ate my noodles quietly, thinking Jessie wasn’t there to criticize my closed mind when it came to food. I digress, gotta hope Kyia and Fukami are ok… Her physically and him… mentally I guess.

 

Reijiro arrived at the restaurant about 15 minutes later, without Rina, I wonder what happened.

I would have asked but he ended up taking a glass of water and leaving before I could. I’ll try finding him later… or not who cares.

 

I finished eating and waved bye to Kôzuke for no real reason but whatever, I have to stay polite don’t I?

 

{Back to Hayato’s room}

 

Kyia and Hikari are… occupied to say the least, I have to find something else to do with my afternoon, I don’t want to stay here and do nothing.

 

Alright who to hang out with now?

 

{Free time starts} 

 

{Move to Room hallway}

 

{Move to Bottom floor}

 

{Move to Gym} 

 

{Reijiro and Fusume stand in different corners of the room}

 

{Talk to Reijiro}

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, two pairs of eye will make it easier to be thorough in examining this room, I could probably be more efficient by myself thought…

 

Should I spend time with Reijiro?

 

{Yes/No}

 

I spent the afternoon investigating every nook and cranny in the gym with Reijiro, he really has an eye for detail I just don’t possess. Add this to his usual condescending tone, let’s just say I’ve felt smarter before…

 

I think we grew a little closer.

 

Reijiro: I believe we have looked at most of what we could in this room.

 

He’s right, we looked at all the pieces of equipment like the different balls, weights and even some trampolines. The one thing I didn’t understand was this big blue hoister in the corner.

 

Hayato: So remind me what is this machine for?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, this is a hoister, I assume it is used to reach the ceiling. Ah, why don’t we do just that, there seem to be some sort of contraption to be activated from up there.

 

I looked up and saw that he was correct once again. There were some bars up on the ceiling that I think we could hook some stuff on, as well as some sorts of trap doors. It must be interesting to check it out it but you know… it’s pretty high.

 

Reijiro: Shall we?

 

Well… I don’t like heights so yeah…

 

Hayato: I mean I don’t necessarily have to come with you do I?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph, I see. Disappointing to see you cowering out like this.

 

Hey! I’m not gonna let him talk to me like that. Fuck it, Let’s do it.

 

Hayato: Alright fine, let’s go.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Good.

 

We got on the hoister, luckily the platform was big enough to carry both of us. Reijiro pressed the big red button on the machine.

 

The hoister started pulling us up, at a very very very low speed and with quite the ruckus. I could hear the cogs turning with a lot of trouble, the mechanics have definitely not been oiled in some time. Jesus, this thing really is loud.

 

Hayato: The hoister makes a lot of noise doesn’t it?

 

Reijiro: I cannot hear you.

 

Hayato: THE HOISTER MAKES A LOT OF NOISE DOESN’T IT!?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, no need to scream.

 

This guy tires me out I swear, hmm better stay silent until the noise stops.

 

 

After a good minute we reached the ceiling and the commotion stopped.

 

{Reijiro can be seen examining the ceiling}

 

Hayato: Hm, what is this grid thing up there?

 

Reijiro: I believe this is made for ventilation, it connects to the rooftop area, I have seen this exact grid from up there.

 

Hayato: Oh ok.

 

I should remember that.

 

 

As I was thinking to myself, Reijiro started examining the big wooden bars on the ceiling.

 

Reijiro: {Interested} These bars seem sturdy enough, I bet if we needed to we could hang some heavy stuff on them.

 

Hayato: What do you think they were used for originally?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Gymnastics perhaps, I guess I do not know.

 

Hayato: Haha, me who thought you knew everything as the Ultimate Intellectual.

 

 

 

 

Love it when my jokes have such a great reception. Then again when my only audience is this guy, my hopes of getting a laugh were pretty close to zero.

 

Why is he so silent now?

 

Hayato: I was kidding by the way, sorry if this offended you?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} What? Oh, no I was just thinking.

 

Hayato: Can I ask what about?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} What is knowing?

 

Hayato: E-excuse me?

 

Reijiro: The verb knowing is commonly used without enough reflection, but what is it to know something? You think I know a lot, but what does that mean? I wonder…

 

Is that what happens in this guy’s head? Do you never rest bro? Seriously how does he not get tired…

 

Hayato: I had a class in my previous school. “Theory of Knowledge” it was called, I’m guessing it explored what you’re asking yourself about.  

 

Reijiro: {Both hands over heart} It is a quite the question. A beautiful question if you ask me…

 

Hayato: You seem pretty enthusiastic about this.

 

Reijiro: A good question is one nobody has the answer to…

 

Hayato: Damn that’s pretty deep, who said that?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, me of course.

 

Oh…

 

Reijiro: Yes I am an “intellectual” but I do not seek the answer to every question. Our existence would be boring if there was nothing left to discover.

 

That’s actually a really good way to think of life, I-I’m impressed.

 

Hayato: So, what do you think knowledge is then?

 

Reijiro: Well, the origin of it all comes from the Greek, their studies were revolutionary.


Hayato: Oh I heard about this, wasn’t it called

 

    1. Epidemiology
    2. Psychology
    3. Epistemology

 

 

Hayato: Epistemology right?

 

Reijiro: That’s right… You are more cultivated than you seem. How… peculiar

 

Yeah thanks… Real nice.

 

Reijiro: No matter that, according to the Greeks, there are three steps to knowing, You have to believe a statement to be true, you have to be justified in your beliefs, and ultimately said statement must be true. That is the definition I am most comfortable with.

 

Hayato: I see…

 

Reijiro really knows a lot of stuff, can’t say I’m surprised.

 

Reijiro: Well, it sure is intriguing to talk philosophy when twenty feet in the air, but perhaps we should go down now.

 

Go down…  ARGH, I completely forgot we were this high up. At least this conversation made me forgot my vertigo, that’s good right?


 

We brought the hoister back down and spent the rest of the afternoon investigating in much detail the entire gym, all this while breaking into semi-philosophical debates occasionally.

 

I understand Reijiro a bit better now.

 

{Reijiro’s report card has been updated based on your experience with him}

 

When Reijiro deemed we were finished, I went back to my room, hoping to rest a little before dinner time.

 

 

 

 

Wh-what time is it?  I think I fell asleep. 8:22? Alright,  I definitely fell asleep. I’ve only got 5 minutes or so to get to the restaurant meeting. I should get going.

 

{Move to Room Hallway}

 

{Talk to Fukami} 

 

Hayato: Hey Fukami, how’s your injury doing?

 

Fukami: {Interrogative with finger on chin} Injury?, Oh you mean this little scratch, it’s nothing. I appreciate your concern.

 

Hayato: Oh, well I’m delighted to hear that you’re doing ok. You heading to dinner?

 

Fukami: Indeed, in fact I have an announcement to make.

 

Hayato: Is that so? Does it have anything to do with these papers you’re holding?

 

Fukami: You will hear all about it in due time Seiki-san. Patience is a virtue.

 

Alright then, why do I always end up feeling stupid for asking questions in this place?

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume: {Happy} I listened to your advice, writer.

 

Hayato: How so?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} I took what some might call a nap. I feel much more at ease than this morning.

 

Hayato: Oh um cool?

 

Fusume: I shall now go replenish my strengths. I hope to see you there.

 

Hayato: Sure thing!

 

Ok, enough distractions let’s go.

 

{Move to Second Floor}

 

{Move to Restaurant}

 

Most people were already there when I came in. In fact I believe everyone was there but Raiko. Rina did decide to attend this time, I’m guessing Reijiro’s words had an effect on her.

What really surprised me was that Kyia was there, laughing… acting like nothing happened.

 

{Talk to Kyia}

 

Hayato: Hey, Kyia… Are you doing okay?

 

Kyia: {Peace sign and smile} Wassup Hayato. Yeah I’m feeling fresh as ever.

 

Are we going to pretend that you didn’t go all psycho on us a couple hours ago or?

 

Kyia: I already apologised to everyone else but I’ll say it once more for you. {Pained expression} I don’t know what got into me earlier. I guess I try acting cool but I’m on edge like everyone else.

 

Jessie: That’s okay Kyia-kun, nolite ergo solliciti esse!

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} Right. Anyways, this kind of thing will never happen again. I promise!

 

I still don’t understand what happened. There he was giving me some sort of speech about positivity and suddenly…

 

{Flashback}

 

Kyia: {Horrified} GET AWAY FROM ME!

 

He suddenly let go of her hand, letting her drop back on the floor.

 

Kyia: {Horrified} Y-you you got it on me you fucking…

 

What the hell is going on?

 

Hayato: Kyia… what’s happen-

 

Kyia: GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME, ALL OF YOU!

 

He ran off.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Well, for the moment we should just forget this even happen… No need to stress about this kind of thing.

I couldn’t help but notice Hikari giving me a “it’s all good thanks to me look”. Maybe her talking to him did help him get better. She winked at me to acknowledge the look.  Argh, I can feel myself blushing so hard right now. Come on Hayato, composure… Deep breaths.

 

Reijiro: Mmph, not that this episode is over with, I will take attendance.

 

Reijiro proceeded to count us and make some notes on a clipboard.

Reijiro: {Smug} 14… 15. One better than this morning. I’ll have a word with the missing one tomorrow. For now, if nobody has any announcements to make, I will let you all eat in peace.

 

Fukami: Actually, I have something to say, if that is alright with everyone.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph, speak.

 

Oh wait, this is probably regarding those sheets she was holding before.

 

{Flashback}

 

Fukami: Indeed, in fact I have an announcement to make.

 

Hayato: Is that so? Does it have anything to do with these papers you’re holding?

 

Fukami: You will hear all about it in due time Seiki-san. Patience is a virtue.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} I thank you all for your attention. {Takes out sheets} I have prepared a little survey just like I would do for a client.

 

Oriana: B-but we’re not… um… your, c-clients are we.

 

Fukami: Correct, however, this survey contain some information that may help me in the future.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Tch, what kinda information you talking ‘bout?

 

Fukami: {Stoic} Simple things, what you like, you don’t like and so on. I like to understand who I am dealing with, so if you do not mind…

 

She started handing out the papers.

 

Fukami: {Smile} It would be very pleasant for you to fill this in by tomorrow morning.

 

Yoko: Hold up, I don’t agree with this, isn’t this kind of a violation of our private lives, {Fans herself} What if I don’t particularly want you to know of my life then huh?

 

Fukami: {Shocked} Then do not fill it in Kurisu-san, I can not force you if you do not want to, just know it would have been useful for me.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} How so?

 

Fukami: {Blushes} I am… not the best with people, I try my hardest but I think this type of information would enable me to avoid some… embarrassing situations.

 

Kyia : {Peace sign} If that’s the case, I’ll fill your form Fukami, c’mon y’all be nice and do the same alright? It isn’t much to ask!

 

He’s right, I don’t see why I wouldn’t want to fill this in.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Ugh, I bet this is some sorta scheme to get info out of a celeb like me. {Snide} You a fan of mine Fukami? If so this is basically harassment.

 

No… No I’m pretty sure it’s not.

 

Reijiro: I’ll allow it. If you are against this then refrain yourself from filling it. If not, knock yourselves out.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} It’s not like we need your fucking authorization to do stuff…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Pardon me, did you say something?

 

Kôzuke glared at Kenji who stopped himself from over reacting. I know Reijiro can be annoying but starting drama won’t help a bit.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Got anything else to say Fukami?

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} No, that is all. I thank you all in advance for your time.

 

With that she sat back down.

 

 

I stared at the sheets I had in my hands, this can’t go wrong right? I mean what if somebody puts some private piece of info and it spreads or… Ugh, I’m becoming paranoid, I need to stop worrying.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Mmph, that will be all for tonight’s meeting. Feel free to eat with whomever you feel like… Or not, I honestly do not care.

 

This man’s enthusiasm kills me...

 

 

The rest of the dinner went without a hitch, I got my usual noodle bowl and sat with Kyia and Hikari. It was pretty quiet but… I had this weird ass feeling that I was third wheeling a bit. This freaking guy, he thinks he can steal her from me… Ahem What am I even saying?

 

When the time came people started leaving, I felt too tired and dejected to stay with them as they endlessly flirted so I decided to leave.

 

Hayato: I’m going to bed, good night guys.

 

Kyia: {Surprised} Already brother? Night time’s not for another 30 minutes, stay and chill with us for a bit!

 

No way, I’d rather die than sit through this little seduction session one more minute.

 

Hayato: I’m just really tired, have fun you two, I’ll see you tomorrow.

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} Oh, ok then, good night dude.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Sleep tight Hayato!

 

I waved bye at them both and went back to my room.

 

 

It didn’t take long for me to throw myself into bed, exhausted. *sigh*  I have to fill Fukami’s freaking thing, whatever I’ll do it tomorrow morning, I definitely do not have enough energy to go through it now. Fuck it, I’ll just wake up earlier.

 

And with these thoughts, I slowly started to let go. I’d been so worried recently that I didn’t think I’d be able to sleep so well and yet, I managed to fall in deep, peaceful and at ease, finally. Not even the loud night time announcement managed to wake me up

 

I think I’m starting to get used to this.

 

...

 

Sadly, little did I know, this feeling of reassurance… well it wouldn’t last very long.

 

Monokuma Theater

 

Monokuma: I don’t understand why anybody’d be against the death penalty.

 

Monokuma: I find it quite logical if you think about it.

 

Monokuma: If you steal something, you get a fine don’t you? In a way you pay back what you took.

 

Monokuma: BUT, you can’t give a life back, so the only way to pay for your crime is with your own life. Doesn’t it make sense?

 

Monokuma: I often hear some crap about people changing and about redemption. How you need to give killers a second chance

 

Monokuma : Well in this beautiful little resort of mine, there will be none of that. You kill, you get executed and you take it like a man, or a lady who cares.

 

Monokuma: This whole forgiveness thing is bullshit, you know why?

 

Monokuma: B’cuz once people know despair they never… ever change upupupupu!

 

Notes:

Next chapter will introduce the first motive, who knows what might disrupt this fragile state of peace our characters are in?

Don't forget to vote for free time events here : https://www.strawpoll.me/15828846 or I'll have to randomize next chapter's two FTE slots.

Thank you again for reading and see you in the next one!

Chapter 6: Chapter 1 : Trusting is Letting Go : Daily Life (Part 3)

Notes:

Sorry this took so long! Free time poll at the end (hopefully this time the link works)

In this chapter the free times went to Hikari and Kyia

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a Jacuzzi, holding some sort of cocktail glass in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Gooood Morning! This is your director speaking, it’s now 8:00 AM! Look out the window, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. A perfect weather to kill wouldn’t you say?

Get ready for a spectacular day everyone!

 

Argh, not again, this freaking announcement will be the death of me… At least I slept until now, I feel a lot more rested than I was yesterday.

Is this me getting used to this place?

 

Now, I should fill Fukami’s survey before I head to breakfast… Let’s see.

 

 

It took me a good 20 minutes but I got it done and dusted. The questions ranged from your hobbies to your biggest fear to your dreams and aspirations. I guess some of these questions were slightly personal but I answered them all. No harm in doing that.

 

Alright, now that I’m done, I should head to breakfast, I don’t wanna be late…

 

{Move to room hallway}

 

{Move to second floor}

 

{Move to restaurant}

As usual with the time it took me to walk all the way to the restaurant, I was the last one to arrive, mmh I really need to start planning ahead so I’m not always so last minute in the morning…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph finally, we are all here.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Took you long enough Hayato!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Kenji just… just leave him be.

 

Rina: {Yawns} No like seriously, I was super duper close to falling asleep, hurry up next time.

 

Never been welcomed so warmly… I’m not even surprised coming from these guys.

Nonetheless, something felt different than usual when I entered the restaurant, it felt slightly more crowded…?

 

Jessie: Ein minuten, Why is Raiko-chan here?  I thought she didn’t come to meetings…

 

It’s true, I guess that’s what I noticed before. Raiko was here, sitting by herself at a table far from everyone else.

 

I don’t understand this girl, I mean when I met her she seemed nice…

 

{Flashback}

 

Raiko: Mmmph… I mean, sure of course how rude of me. {Heart with hands} My name is Raiko Itake.

 

Her personality completely changed, it feels like she is trying too hard to look sweet and approachable, but there is something very dark about her. I can sense it.

 

Hayato: Nice to meet you Raiko, do you mind telling me your talent.

 

Raiko: {Twirls Hair} My talent, oh you mean… {Evil smile} Are you quite sure you want to know hehe…

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Sure, there was something weird about her, but she’s completely changed since then, it’s like she’s been avoiding us, nobody has seen her at all yesterday, she didn’t attend any meetings either…

 

So why is she here today?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} The girl asks a fair question, why are you here Raiko?

 

As an answer, Raiko just giggled to herself… like she always does.

 

Hikari: {Straightens ties} W-well, I think Raiko has finally accepted the fact that we need to stick together, isn’t that right?

 

Fusume: Sticking together, means an easier target does it not…

 

Oriana: {Trembles} A t-target, but from who?

 

Reijiro: {Mumbles} It’s from whom.

 

Fukami: You said something Yamane-san?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} No matter.

 

Kyia: Anyways… {Peace sign} If that’s the case then good for you Raiko, that’s the right mindset to be in.

 

Raiko: {Hits on Cigarette} Pff, it’s none of that, Monokuma told me I had to come. I tried resisting but oh well…

 

Monokuma…?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} What? Why would he want you to do such a thing?

 

Monokuma: I’m glad you asked lover-boy!

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} Ahh!!!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyahh!

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} Yes, you called?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} N-no I was just s-screaming, uh… j-just forget it.

 

Seriously…?

 

Anyways, even I was startled… Where the hell did that bear come from?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} YOU CAN’T JUST FUCKING POP OUT OF NOWHERE LIKE THAT. I ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK!

 

Monokuma:{Belly laugh} I can do whatever I want upupu, this is my game!

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Just get it over with, whatever it is you want to tell us do it now.

 

Yoshi: Man’s got a point, what be your goal, little bear?

 

Monokuma: I’m glad you asked circus boy.

 

Is it me or is it repeating itself...

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Ahem, I brought you all together here today because I am very disappointed…


Fukami: {Finger on lip}  Disappointed, how so?

 

Monokuma: {Sad} I bust my fluffy ass to make this a fun and enjoyable killing game, and nobody’s dead yet.

It’s been two full days, c’mon y’all!

 

Kyia: If you think anyone is going to play your little game, you’re wrong dude!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} He’s right, we’re not falling for your shit!

 

Hikari: We’re all better than this.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Yeah man, freedom is cool, but killing, that’s not okay.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I… uh, I c-could never do s-such a uh... t-thing.

 

Yoko: None of us will…

 

Shinto: … be disappointed all you want. This is not happening!

 

Reijiro: Now, if that is all, you may leave…

 

Monokuma: No, no. {Red eye glowing} I’m not quite done.

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} Then just get it over with damnit.

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} What oughta you be sayin’ Mr Bear?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Wellll… since you bastards don’t seem to have understood you have no choice but to play along.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} There is always… an alternative to killing….

 

Monokuma: Hey, don’t be rude and interrupt your director alright.

Ahem as I was saying, since all of you think you can just be all nice and cuddly with each other and ruin my beautiful killing game, I thought I’d provide you all with… an incentive.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I-incentive?

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} What does that mean…?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, {Pulls out book} ”An incentive : noun, a thing that motivates or encourages someone to do something”. {Closes book}

 

Kyia: {Confused} N-no, I wasn’t asking for the definition, I meant like what he meant by that.

 

Reijiro: Mmph, to each day a new piece of knowledge. That’s how you should aim to live your lives.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Don’t you just want to admit you were wrong there?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Why would I do such a thing?

 

Monokuma: You done? Can’t a bear finish his freaking explanations in here?

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Ya, Mr Bear, do continue.

 

Yoko: What you being such an ass-kisser for?

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Just let the bear say what he has to say honey, get it over with.

 

Never in my life did I think I’d hear that sentence

 

Monokuma: {Grins} Now, where was I, oh yes, the incentive… Introducing your very first motives, yay be excited!

 

Motives?

 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} …

 

Tadao: {Sombre} …

 

Oriana: {Cries} …

 

Hikari: {Shocked} …

 

Yoshi: {Flustured} …

 

Rina {Spits coffee} Motives???

 

Nobody but Rina said a thing, we were all in awe… Motives? Like… like in murder mysteries? Does that mean…

 

Reijiro: You are going to give us a reason to kill each other yes?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Bingo! Now, if you don’t mind waiting an instant…

 

He disappeared just the way he came in earlier, before coming back with a trolley full of tablets that resembled our Resident ID…

 

Shinto: What is this?

 

Monokuma: I hope y’all are ready for… Drum Rolls please…

 

We heard a faint drumming pattern coming from Yoshi’s chair who stopped immediately after being death stared by 15 people.

 

Monokuma: Here’s... “What Could Have Happened™ “

 

Did it just say trademark out loud, what is this thing seriously?

 

 

Suddenly The lights in the restaurant dimmed to imitate the lighting in a cinema.

 

Kenji: What the fuck!?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyahh!

 

I felt Hikari grabbing my hand, she probably didn’t like the dark either… I was too busy hoping Kyia wouldn’t react to Oriana’s screams this time to fully realise

 

Fusume: {Chin resting on hand} These tablets are our motives are they?

 

Monokuma: Absolutely! There is one for each and everyone of you! I don’t want to ruin the surprise so why don’t you come check it out for yourselves.

 

He started distributing the tablets, I got mine and was getting ready to turn it on.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Wait a second, there might be some… personal information on the videos you’re about to see so why don’t you spread out and use these beautiful MonoHeadphones to listen peacefully.

 

It’s actually doing product placement… Now? Really?

 

Monokuma: Go my children! Listen to your heart’s desire! I’ll be back in a few minutes when you’re all done upupupu.

 

He left.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Fuck it, here goes nothing.

 

Rina: TTYL, I’m starting it now!

 

Hikari: {Passionate expression} Wait guys, should we really be doing this?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Huh? Why wouldn’t we?

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} I agree with Hikari, if we don’t watch what’s on these tablets, then we won’t risk anyone doing… something stupid.

 

Fukami: I guess Taro-san has a point, watching whatever is on this device is willingly playing Monokuma’s game…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Sadly, I do not think we have much of a choice here, he said he’d come back when we were done. I believe this is not optional.

 

Monokuma: Smart boy is right!

 

Oriana: Kyaah, h-he’s back?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} It’d be too easy for your bastards to mess up my plans again if I left you a choice, so y’all are not leaving this restaurant until you’ve all watched the videos. Don’t make me wait!

 

He left again .

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} If we have no choice, then should we not just get it over with?

 

Shinto: I agree, the quicker we do this the better.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} As I suspected. I suggest we all do what the bear asks promptly, so as not to lose too much time. All of you, find a secluded spot in this restaurant and browse your tablet. Come back to the center table when you are done. Now.

 

Yes sir…

 

Well, clearly I don’t have much of a choice, I better do what he says.

 

 

I sat by myself on a table against the back wall and pressed play on the tablet screen.

 

{The camera shows the tablet lighting up and a video starting to play} 

 

My face appeared on screen next to the words “What could have happened for Hayato Seiki” and surrounded by a plethora of dancing Monokumas.

 

Monokuma’s signature voice started narrating the video

 

Monokuma: Hayato was one of the most successful authors of his generation. Practically all of his novels were best sellers and at a young age he had a whole career to look forward to… Here’s what could have happened… if Hayato escaped the resort.

 

W-what…?

 

Monokuma: If Hayato Seiki had found in himself the courage to commit murder, he would have escaped this sumptuous resort and gone back to his life as an author

 

{The screen now shows an image of an older looking Hayato with a beard and sight glasses} 

 

Monokuma: By age 30, Hayato would have signed a publishing deal with Kōdansha which would have made him rich.

 

Kōdansha? That’s possibly the biggest publishing company in the entire archipel…

 

Monokuma: Hayato would continued pumping out blood-thrilling novels for the entire world to enjoy as his books were now translated in almost every language known to mankind.

 

{The screen shows the older version of Hayato with a woman and two little girls}

 

Monokuma: Hayato would live a perfectly happy life surrounded by a loving family and with enough time on his hands to write as much as he wanted to.

 

Monokuma: Hayato would by the end of his life be the most prized japanese author in the past decades, he could now enjoy his retirement with hundreds of books to read and his wife and daughters to keep him company.

 

 

These are just… silly predictions right? There is no truth in any of this… How could Monokuma know how my life is going to go. This makes no sense at all.

 

{The screen suddenly goes dark} 

 

Monokuma: However, this is only if Hayato escapes… Wonder what happens if he stays here?

 

I have a really bad feeling about this.

 

Monokuma: If Hayato decides he doesn’t want to commit murder and escape, he will as promised stay here indefinitely.

 

{Camera shows a newspaper headline : “Prodigious young author goes missing”}

 

Monokuma: After Hayato went missing, people started slowly giving up on his books and after some time passed, his work was taken out of libraries as no one bought them any more, as they lost hope of any sequel being produced. Move a couple of years forwards, everybody has forgotten about Hayato Seiki.

 

Everybody forgot me? No… no that’s not true, that can’t be.

 

Monokuma: BUT, that’s not all, not only did Hayato’s family lose all the revenue from the book sales… They also got sued, massively.

 

Sued???

 

Monokuma: People were calling Hayato a fraud, who did not deserve his success, and the angry public had no mercy for the Seiki family who quickly ended up bankrupt and on the streets.

 

{On screen, a homeless couple is seen, the woman looking sick and the man pleading for help but getting ignored by the crowd}

 

Monokuma: Hayato Seiki, the Ultimate Author, your two possible futures. The question is, which path will YOU choose. The decision is all yours upupu.

 

{The tablet screen cuts to black}

 

What… the fuck was that… I can’t let that happen. My parents, will they really end up homeless if I don’t get out? It can’t be. It just can’t…

 

Kenji: {Furious} NO FUCKING WAY IS THIS HAPPENING! WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?

 

Rina: {Crying} My… my beautiful career…

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} The circus can’t be closin’ can it? That’s a darn lie!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} My medals… my titles… taken away from me?

 

Fukami: {Holds head and bends backwards} Ruined? no way… not me.

 

Oriana: {Cries} A… national s-shame…?

 

Everyone looks as… as impacted as I am. I have to imagine their videos had similar messages.

 

Reijiro: Everybody, remain calm! Now.

 

Clearly, he won’t help...

 

Jessie: {Sad} Mon père… there is no way…

 

Reijiro: {Points to Kyia} You, help me.

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} Yeah totally totally bro, guys let’s calm down here a second.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Who the fucking fuck are you to tell us how to handle our lives being ruined!?

 

Kyia: But... but your lives, have not been ruined, this is only speculation right? I mean there is no logical way for Monokuma to know how the future will turn out.

 

He… he’s got a point.

 

Hayato: I agree, I mean yeah, what’s on my video is terrifying, for sure… but now that I think of it, this is just some type of ruse to make us play this stupid game. Please, don’t take it seriously.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But how the hell did they have footage of my parents and of me… looking older. it doesn’t make sense man.

 

Hayato: Exactly, it doesn’t make sense so we should not let it influence us.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Precisely, it would be moronic to take these videos as a certain truth.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Moronic yourself, you self righteous assbag, I am not letting this fucking happen.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I see you bastards liked my little present upupupu.

 

Oriana: Kyahhh, a-again?

 

Monokuma: Geez is that a way to welcome a nice bear like me?

 

Rina: {Crying} F-fuck you, fuck you for showing me this.

 

Monokuma: {Back turned} Woah what do you mean? You should be thankful for me showing you a glimpse of… the future.

 

Fusume: This is no future… lies, only lies emanate from the paths you propose.

 

Monokuma: {Dark side showing} What gives, Sakura, you’ll realise soon how thankful you should be!

 

Fusume: {Dark look pulling out Kunai} My name is…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Woops, couldn’t hear you over the sound of me not giving a crap about what you’re saying upupu!

 

Did he really just call her Sakura? Way to break the fourth wall…

 

Monokuma: Ugh, you bastards are just ungrateful. Do whatever you want with this information now upupu the choice is yours.

 

With that snarky remark he just left us.

 

 

The atmosphere was as tense as it’s ever been before… I’m thankful to Kyia and Reijiro though, without them I think I’d be just as distressed as the others, I need to help them understand asap because the mood cannot stay this way…

 

Hayato: Seriously, we can’t let this affect us, this is clearly some next level bullcrap that Monokuma created to turn us against each other.

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} It’s scary yeah, but if we continue sticking together like we did so far, {Peace sign} we’ll all be fine alright!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Pff, sticking together, what a joke…

 

Raiko left.

 

Reijiro: Mmph. Now, are we all in agreement that these videos were only fabricated lies with the sole purpose of scaring us? I believe we all a-

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But what if they’re not man? I mean we can’t know for sure…

 

Rina: {Mimes fainting} For realz, if these things are true, it would be… a true disaster.

 

Fukami: Not just for us… but for our loved ones too.

 

Clearly, they’re all still scared…

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} Y’all have a point alright, we can’t be 200% sure that this is bullshit, but we have nothing to lose in being hopeful, trust me!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Logically speaking, there is no way to predict the future so accurately.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Frankly, I don’t care about what you guys say, we’ve trusted you long enough and clearly it amounted to nothing good.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} C’mon Yoko don’t say that kind of stuff…

 

Yoko: We’re leaving now.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} W-wait a second… Yoko!

 

Yoko left pulling Shinto with her by his sleeve.

 

 

This silence is… very awkward to say the least.

 

Hikari: A-anyways, it’s just like Kyia said, we should believe in the group, this is how we’ll get through this.

 

Kyia: {Peace expression} Definitely, good thinki-

 

Kenji: Shut the hell up already with your camaraderie bullshit.

 

Kenji?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} If I’ve learnt anything about my years in the wild, it’s that the only person you can trust is yourself.

 

Kôzuke: {Sad} Kenji… why do you have to say that?

 

Hikari: Yeah, we’re here for you Kenji, seriously, you should trust us…

 

Kenji: Tch, no thank you, trusting others always ends up biting you in the ass, I would know.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} But tell me, Kimata-san. How do you intend to leave this place by yourself?

 

Kenji: {Furious} What the fuck are you implying!?

 

I mean it’s a valid question she’s asking

 

Kenji: {Pulling on shirt} I… I don’t fucking care. And… and that video, {Furious} I’m getting out of this hellhole, one way or another!

 

Kenji stormed off.

 

 

When he says that, does he mean he could go as far as… murder?

 

 

The awkward silence came back after Kenji left, no one dared to speak, even Reijiro and Kyia kept quiet.

 

We all ate our breakfast, despite our clear lack of appetite.

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} Ahem, never mind all this guys. I’ll go talk to Kenji later, we’ll sort this out calmly. {Peace sign} Why don’t you go and live your lives people!

 

Reijiro: Yes, {Points to Kyia} Me and you need to have a little chat as well. Please leave the premises all of you.

 

I guess we should let them do their things, they are kind of the leaders in this group so it’s good if they get organised between them.

 

 

I left the restaurant. I need to take my mind off this entire situation.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: Hayato Seiki, the Ultimate Author, your two possible futures. The question is, which path will YOU choose. The decision is all yours upupu.

 

{The tablet screen cuts to black}

 

{Ends flashback}

 

I can’t take this seriously, this is just a trick. It has to be. It’s just a motive, not reality. At least I hope so.

 

Alright, as far as distractions go, I’ve got all day. Who should I hang out with?

 

{Free time starts} 

 

{Move to Rooftop}

 

{Yoshi and Hikari  stand in different corners of the room}

 

{Talk to Hikari}

 

Hikari: {Sad} Oh… hey Hayato, you want to help me take my mind off things?

 

Should I spend time with Hikari?

 

{Yes/No}

 

I spent the morning talking to Hikari about pretty futile things, we both tried distracting each other but we were still clearly worried. Despite that I still learnt quite a bit about her past.

 

I think we grew a little closer.

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera lens} You know, it’s funny we have such different paths in our careers even though we almost do the same thing.

 

Well not everybody is born in such a successful family…

 

Hikari: {Sad} I know what you’re thinking, I only got this far because my dad is who he is…

 

I really am an open book aren't I…

 

Hayato: No, no of course I don’t think that. I mean, you would never have gotten your title if you weren’t extremely talented, your father’s legacy can’t do anything to change that.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Aww, you’re so cute Hayato.

 

Did somebody say Ultimate Sweet Talker? That’s right I’m the best

 

Hikari: {Centers tie} Anyways, it’s not like I immediately started this big, when I was younger, my dad would always give me the worst jobs…

 

Hayato: Really? Like what?

 

Hikari: Well clearly, you don’t immediately get the exciting scoops you know. I had my fair share of boring articles to write. The kind of stuff I wouldn’t even wanna read.

 

Hayato: Well… I’m sure they were great still.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} You’re such a cutie… but no, even with my talent you can not make interesting something that isn’t to begin with.

 

I guess it makes sense yes.

 

Hikari: So yeah… it took some time before I actually had the chance to enjoy what I did. I can still recall my first big article though. I’m sure you heard of the case, the name will ring a bell…

 

Hayato: Go ahead, tell me.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Sayaka Maizono… You remember when she disappeared right?

 

Hmm, of course I do, it must have been what… 2 or 3 years ago. She was one of the biggest idols in the country. All the prepubescent teens in my class were obsessed with her and even I who really didn’t care at the time have to admit she was very good looking and truly… truly talented.

 

Hayato: I do remember, it made quite the hassle in my middle school. Some people even called it… a tragedy.


I wouldn’t go that far though… An event really has to be terrible for it to be considered tragedy…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notepad} I was among those people then {Sad} I was really sad to imagine her being dead. {Passionate expression} But you can’t imagine how excited I was when my dad put me on the article. “You’re the most qualified for this job” he said, I’ll always remember this moment. My breakthrough of sorts!

 

The most qualified? I wonder why…

 

Hayato: Was the reason you were so qualified that :

 

    1. You were related to her
    2. You were a big fan
    3. You went to school with her

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Gee, you saw through me like an open magazine…

 

Nope, that’s not a saying. Anyways, I’m glad I’m the clairvoyant one for once.

 

Hikari: I was a fan, you’re right. Her and her group were so strong and really represented a form of girl power. {Sad} I guess I really wanted to be like them.

 

Clearly I hit a nerve, seeing one’s role model gone missing can not be easy.

 

Hikari: And… and then… wait. Wait a second Hayato, how peculiar. I can’t remember how this all ended!

 

Huh?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I mean wha-wha-what happened to her in the end, was she ever found? Why can’t I remember?

 

Now that she mentions it… I’m also drawing a blank, how weird.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Please tell me you remember something!

 

Hayato: I’m sorry, I can’t say that I do.

 

Hikari: But… but it makes no sense, why do I remember all of this and not how it ended. I should remember. I really should.

 

There’s gotta be a logical reason.

 

Hayato: I mean, we’re still all pretty shocked by this whole situation, I’m sure it’ll come back. It’s… I’m sure it’s normal to have blanks like that.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Hmm, if you say so…

 

Even I wasn’t convinced by my own arguments… It’ll do for now.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Ahem, I shouldn’t be this impacted by something so silly, we’ll understand what’s going on, I’m sure.

 

She’s back to her radiant self. Good.

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} It sure was nice to reminisce about the past . {Smiles} I have to thank you for that Hayato.

 

Hayato: The pleasure is all mine Hikari.

 

Don’t blush, don’t blush. Don’t. Fucking. Blush.

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip} Yeah… this has been real nice. If you don’t mind I’d like to spend more time with you in the future Hayato. I liked this morning!

 

No need to ask twice. I don’t know what I did to be blessed like that but I’ll take it. She is so cute as well…

 

Hikari: Stop blushing Hayato you’re making me uncomfortable!

 

God damnit.

 

 

We spent some more time talking about our respective careers and how she got to such a position of power in the industry. Of course, she had so many stories we didn’t get through a quarter of everything she had to say. Well, another reason to hang out with her again, am I right?

 

I understand Hikari a bit better now.

 

{Hikari’s report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

We continued talking for a few hours, grabbed lunch and chilled a bit more before I said bye and headed back to my room.

 

...

 

I still have some time now that I’ve eaten, who should I hang out with next?

 

{Free time starts} 

 

{Move to Room hallway}

 

{Move to Bottom floor}

 

{Move to Work out room}

 

{Kyia and Kenji  stand in different corners of the room}

 

{Talk to Kyia}

 

Kyia: {Peace sign} Wassup Hayato, you just caught me in the middle of my morning workout, feel free to join me!

 

Should I spend time with Kyia?

 

{Yes/No}

 

I spent the afternoon watching Kyia working out, he was just casually bench pressing my entire weight worth of dumbbells. Not humiliating at all.

 

I think we grew a little closer.

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} You sure you don’t want to try something dude?

 

Hayato: Y-yeah yeah positive.

 

Kyia: Whatever, it’s your choice… Seriously though you should give it a shot. Working out really helped me through a lot.

 

Really?

 

Hayato: What do you mean?

 

Kyia: Well… Let’s say I wasn’t always this buff you know. This is all quite new for me.

 

I could never have guessed actually. I just can’t imagine him looking any different. It just really fits him.

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} When I was in middle school, I was actually very lanky.

 

Hayato: No way, how long ago was that?

 

Kyia: I don’t know bro, two...maybe three years ago? I’ve always been quite tall but like… I was very skinny and weak.

 

Kinda like me then huh? I guess, I know what he went through then….

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} It was hard, both mentally and physically. I couldn’t invest myself 100% into parkour cuz I was too weak for certain stunts.

 

Hayato: Hmm, that sucks yeah.

 

Kyia: And then… I guess I kinda got bullied by my peers in middle school.

 

Really? Again, Kyia doesn’t seem like the type of guy who’d let that happen to him.

 

Kyia: The older kids, well because I was kinda successful thanks to parkour, they thought I was an ideal target, a mix of jealousy and just plain douchiness.

 

Hayato: So… what did you do?

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} One day, I came home, bruised and broken mentally. I looked at the mirror and thought fuck it, I’ll never let this happen to me again. So I started working out.

 

Hayato: Wasn’t it hard at first?

 

Kyia: Definitely, I was really weak to begin with, I actually got shoulder problems when I first started because my shoulder muscles were really underdeveloped

 

Hayato: Hmm, shoulder muscles you mean the...

 

    1. Biceps
    2. Quadriceps
    3. Deltoid 

 

Kyia: Yeah that’s it!

 

Well done me for listening in Biology class.

 

Kyia: {Looks up} But I overcame all this. Yeah at first it hurt, but I started taking pleasure from it all and making it a hobby. And… {Flex biceps} Look at me now. I’m happy and in perfect shape.

 

Hayato: Cool… Good for you!

 

Kyia: As I said, working out kinda changed my life… Sooooo, sure you don’t wanna try?

 

Let me think about it real hard… Nope the answer hasn’t changed.

 

Hayato: You know sports isn’t really my thing and all that and you know and…

 

Kyia: {Grins} Okay, shut up. I’m not giving you a choice!

 

No wait…

 

Kyia: It’s good for you, you’ll thank me later.

 

Fuck’s saaaaake!

 

 

He spent the rest of the afternoon forcing me to use all the different torture machines in the room. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing but by the end of it my entire body was sore. I don’t think there is one muscle in me which doesn’t hurt like hell right now. It might have helped him but no thanks. I’m happy with my body the way it is.

 

I guess I understand Kyia a bit better now.

 

{Kyia’s report card has been updated based on your experience with him}

 

When it came to dinner time, Kyia finally let me go.

 

 

We both went to the restaurant and had once again a very uneventful dinner, as usual Raiko wasn’t there but the rest of the group attended. I was just about to be done eating and go to sleep  when a familiar voice started shouting…

 

Yoshi: Fellas, The Yosh’ has had the best darn idea ever.

 

Rina: Oh lord.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Someone please shut him up…

 

He’s still in a terrible mood after this morning. Better not piss him off...

 

Kyia: Actually, Yoshi already ran his idea through me, and I think it’s a pretty good one!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, why have I not been informed about this?

 

Kyia: {Peace sign} Just wait Reijiro! You’ll love it don’t worry!

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Methinks the mood finna be low at the moment right? Well, The Yosh’ proposes to be puttin’ up a circus show tomorrow night. As a way to be liftin’ up them spirits.

 

 

Reijiro: That is not happening.

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} C’mon don’t be a party pooper dude! It could be hella fun!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Don't call me such a thing...

 

Yoshi: There be a perfectly adequate stage on the rooftop area, with a itty bit of work, it finna be ridonculously good!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} I love it! We can have food and drinks as well!

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Ja klar it’s gonna be so much fun!!!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I guess it could help us take our minds off things.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} A-and… uhm, I… I bet Y-yoshi is very um, g-good.

 

Kenji: Let’s fucking do it!

 

Everybody seems pretty enthusiastic even Kenji which is... unexpected, it does seem like a good idea I agree!

 

Reijiro: We will not waste our time with such a moronic events.

 

Kyia: {Pissed off} Yes. Yes we freaking will. Can’t you see everybody wants it to happen but you.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Yeah, and guess what asshole! We don’t care about your opinion.

 

Jessie: Are we doing it!? Are we doing it?!

 

Fukami: I believe we are. Good idea Akeno-san!

 

 

Everybody started talking about the organisation of it all. The stage on the rooftop seemed destined for the event. We settled for tomorrow evening and agreed we’d give out jobs and tasks in the morning so everybody can participate in making it a good time.

 

 

Well I say everyone…

 

Reijiro: Fine… fine have your... your stupid little show if you morons feel like it. But do not expect me to help nor attend in any way.

 

Reijiro left.

 

Kyia: {Angry} Honestly, good riddance, this guy has to loosen up eventually, he’s getting real annoying I’ll tell you that.

 

Huh, Kyia actually looks genuinely pissed off, tensions between our two leaders doesn’t seem like a good plan. Hopefully they’ll talk it through and it’ll be all good.

 

I’m kinda looking forward to the show though, it could be a nice way to bond with everyone…

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a bright pink pyjama, holding some a teacup in his paw}

 

Attention to all residents, it is 10PM and night time is now in action, as you know some areas will be off limit until the morning. Go to bed and fall in a deep deep slumber. Who knows what great murder opportunities tomorrow holds upupupu!

 

{The tv screen cuts off}

 

Hikari: {Yawns} Alright, I’m going off to bed. I’m so excited! I’ll see everyone tomorrow morning!

 

Kyia: You should all do the same it’s getting late. Yoshi, I do want a word with you for the logistics of the show. {Peace sign} Sleep tight everyone!

 

I wished everybody a good night and headed back to my room.

 

 

{Back to Hayato’s Room}

 

Finally, things are starting to look good for us. I mean yeah, it’s kinda tense between Reijiro and Kyia and Kenji’s... well being Kenji, but I’m sure this show is exactly what we need to put all the tensions behind us.

 

 

As usual, I’m exhausted, but for once, I’m kind of excited to see how things go tomorrow though, I actually have a feeling it could be fun

 

Nothing can go wrong if we all believe in each other.

 

This time, I’m sure of it.

 

 

 

 

Monokuma Theater

 

Monokuma: When I was younger, I hesitated between two jobs and I really couldn't decide!

 

Monokuma: Either dominating the world while forcing teenagers to kill each other. Or…

 

Monokuma: Being a world famous comedian. The female bears always loved my humour upupupu.

 

Monokuma: The show would go a bit like this. Ahem.

 

Monokuma: You know why bears in the arctic always have mood swings? Cuz they’re Bi-POLAR! upupupupu that’s a good one.

 

Monokuma: What, you want another one? Alright alright, no need to flatter me. I’ve got bear puns for days!

 

Monokuma: You know why the tree bear didn’t move on to the next round of the tv show? He didn’t get KOALIFIED! Get it? Get it? C’mon that was hilarious.

 

Monokuma: What do you mean a tree bear isn’t a thing?. Of course it is. I’d know.

 

Monokuma: Okay, one last one? Fine. Umm, Oh I know! How do you call a bear who just messed shit up in the hyborian age? No you don’t know? Bear’s got your tongue?

 

Monokuma: Conan the barBEARian! upupupupu!

 

 

 

Monokuma: Ok fine, that one was kinda trash

 

Monokuma: Oh well, world domination it is then!

 

Notes:

Yes this the classic « chapter 1 party » trope but who knows what might happen at Yoshi’s rooftop show?
Please do comment any feedback and predictions on what you think might happen and such, it’s always appreciated!

Here’s the free time link : https://www.strawpoll.me/16011879
Only one slot open for the next chapter so make your votes count!
See you in the next one and thanks again for reading!

Chapter 7: Chapter 1 : Trusting is Letting Go : Daily Life (Part 4)

Notes:

In all fairness this took me way too long to write but rest assured, it is the longest chapter so far and trust me there is a lot of stuff going down.

I hope you’ll enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a Jacuzzi, holding some sort of cocktail glass in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Gooood Morning! This is your director speaking, it’s now 8:00 AM! Look out the window, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. A perfect weather to kill wouldn’t you say?

Get ready for a spectacular day everyone!

 

Another day… another struggle. God, I wish I was home. This place sucks. Ughhhhhhh.

 

Hm, at least I’ve got the show tonight to look forward to I guess. It will probably be a good way to get our mind off this shit.

 

I mean how are we supposed to handle this. Being forced to kill each other for our freedom? No way would I ever… but how do I know the others are like me… How do I trust them?

 

No matter all this, I keep on asking myself the same questions and… There is no point in going around in circles…  I should get ready and head out for breakfast.

 

{Move to room hallway}

 

{Talk to Yoshi}

 

Hayato: Hey Yoshi, excited for tonight?

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Mmh, tis y’all who oughta be excited. My show finna be… out of this world! Like nothing you’ve ever witnessed before.

 

Wow slow down there buddy, somebody’s getting a bit too big for his boots…

 

Hayato: Don’t you need to like rehearse or something?

 

Yoshi: Pff, the Yosh’ ain’t be needing’ no rehearsin’, the talent’s all there already.

 

Huh.

 

Yoshi: I must be off, a lot of preparin’ will be needed…

 

Wait, but you just said…?

 

Yoshi: {Poses} You mere mortals ain’t ready… for the work of a God!

 

He then proceeded to spring himself off the wall and hit a backflip for no goddamn reason before Naruto-running out of my sight.

 

 

The hell was that… This guy is a mindfuck to talk to. The show better be good or I’ll actually be ashamed for him. Whatever, let’s move on.

 

{Move to second floor}

 

{Talk to Shinto}

 

Shinto is looking… worried? What’s up with him, I wonder…

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Oh… Hayato…  Hayato! Please help me! I don’t know what I’ve gotten myself into.

 

Oh no…

 

Hayato: What’s up, what happened?

 

Shinto: {Head down} Just come in the restaurant and see for yourself, I can’t go back there alone or I’ll actually get killed.

 

 

That didn’t sound good, funny how innocent remarks like this one completely change their meaning because of the situation we’re in…

 

Shinto: N-no, not killing in like… that sense, but like. Oh forget about it, just come see for yourself. It isn’t gonna be pleasant I’ll tell you that.

 

Oh god, what exactly am I supposed to expect in here? Let’s just get it over with…

 

{Move to restaurant}

 

???: WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU IMPLYING?

 

???: I’m not implying shit, I’m telling you what I think straight up!

 

I entered to see Yoko and Rina in the middle of the room, arguing very loudly. In one corner stood Kyia who looked at me with a plea for help. Reijiro was also there, reading a book and seemingly not bothered by the insult match happening mere meters away from him. The others were just sitting at separate tables and looking in from a distance.

 

Rina: {Exasperated} SO YOU’RE DEADASS TELLING ME I’M SHALLOW IS THAT IT?

 

Yoko: I mean, if by shallow you mean that I could stand in a puddle of you and not get my feet wet, then yeah I’m calling you shallow!

 

Ouch.

 

Rina: {Turning red}  THAT’S NOT EVEN YOUR OWN BURN, YOU STOLE THAT FROM DANNY PHANTOM, TOUGH LUCK BITCH I HAD A ROLE IN THAT EPISODE!!

 

Yoko: {Furious} YOU DO VOICE ACTING ON CHILDREN’S TV SHOWS? YOUR CAREER IS EVEN MORE OF A FAILURE THAN I THOUGHT!

 

Rina: TV SHOWS THAT YOU WATCH FOR INSPIRATION CLEARLY! GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY FACE YOU SLAG!

 

Yoko: CLEARLY THE ONLY THING THAT’S BEEN ON YOUR FACE RECENTLY IS MAKEUP YOU FAKE BITCH!

 

Rina: FUNNY HOW YOU MOCK MY CAREER BUT WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR TALENT? YOU DON’T DO SHIT FOR A LIVING, ULTIMATE COUPLE MY ASS!

 

Reijiro: ENOUGH!

 

Aw, he didn’t have to stop it so soon, listening to them fight was the most fun I’ve had in a while.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Both of you, be quiet now, or leave! I will not stand for this useless bickering.

 

Yoko: Fine then, I’m leaving!

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} Wait, no don’t leave, we have to get organised for tonight.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Hold on a second… Do I care? NO, now come here Shinto we’re leaving.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Yoko, honey, why don’t we stay here a little bit longer, it wouldn’t be fair to let the others organise everything by themselves would it?

 

Yoko: I don’t care about the show! I want to go back to my room, now are you coming with me or not?

 

Shinto: Yoko, darling wait!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Fine, then. Your lack of balls doesn’t even surprise me anymore…

 

Yoko left…

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Before anyone here decides to say something that’s like completely stupid, I’m just gonna do the same! Screw you all.

 

And now Rina’s gone too.

 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Well… That just happened!

 

Hayato: How did this even happen?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} I think Yoko called Rina shallow and then it kinda snowballed.

 

Kenji: Tch, snowballed is an understatement, how mental can these chicks be?

 

…   

 

For the millionth time since we got here, the atmosphere was in ruins… Why can’t people just mind their own business and get along for god’s sake!?

 

Kyia: {Sad} Shinto… if you want to go back to get her, I totally get it

 

Shinto stayed silent for a couple of seconds before looking up at us… seemingly unphased.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} No no don’t worry about it people, I’ll just meet her later. I don’t want to feel useless in this preparation process.

 

So much for the Ultimate Couple, I’ve seen them fighting more than anything else. I feel bad for Shinto though, Yoko definitely seems to be giving him a hard time.

 

Kyia: Mmh, ok well if you say so. Now, I have been thinking about the fairest way to distribute tasks for tonight and I think there is no better way than a good old random selection.

 

Kenji: Tch, and how will it work huh?

 

Kyia: {Peace sign} Simple bro, I’ll use this!

 

Kyia pulled out a big wooden box with a small hole on top.

 

Kyia: I found this laying down in the gym’s storage room!

 

There’s a storage room in the gym, huh I haven’t checked it out yet. I should do that later when I have the time.

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} I have put little pieces of paper with all your names on them, except for Reijiro who didn’t feel like helping.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} …

 

Fusume: {Dark look} …

 

Hikari : {Sad} …

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Do not even bother trying to make me feel guilty. I will not take part in this show, therefore I see no reason for me to help, it is that simple.

 

Kenji: {Mutters} Selfish prick…

 

Reijiro: {Amused} I beg your pardon? I believe I made it perfectly clear yesterday that I was not interested in helping you.

 

That he did…

 

{Flashback}

 

Everybody started talking about the organisation of it all. The stage on the rooftop seemed destined for the event. We settled for tomorrow evening and agreed we’d give out jobs and tasks in the morning so everybody can participate in making it a good time.

 

 

Well I say everyone…

 

Reijiro: Fine… fine have your stupid little show if you morons feel like it. But do not expect me to help nor attend in any way.

 

Reijiro left.

 

Kyia: {Angry} Honestly, good riddance, this guy has to loosen up eventually, he’s getting real annoying I’ll tell you that.

 

{End flashback}

 

And Kyia did not seem to like it one bit…

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} Guys, does it matter? Reijiro, do whatever floats your boat, we’ll live our lives, and you… live yours the way you feel like living it.

 

Yeah I mean he is definitely acting selfish but I wouldn’t have expected much more from him so…

 

Reijiro: I believe there is no need for me to stay among you, I shall be in the library in case you need me. {Smug} Farewell.

 

Reijiro left.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Tch, fuck him. We don’t need his useless ass anyways.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-but, isn’t h-he the… the… uh, m-most intelligent o-one of u-us?

 

Fukami: Not necessarily Akiba-san… In fact, Taro-san, I have a proposition to make.

 

Kyia: {Peace sign} Yeah, What’s up?

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} Well, I have spent the last night analysing the answers to my little questionnaires, and I dare say the results were interesting.

 

Jessie: Hmm, so what?

 

Fukami: {Points at graphs} Well, I propose that instead of Taro-san’s random system, I give you some of my carefully thought out analysis on which of us is more adapted to which task. How does that sound?

 

She analysed them all? Damn. I did wonder if she’d do anything with the questionnaires. Well it does seem like a good idea I guess.

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} Hm, I thank you for your participation Fukami but… I think it’s better to keep it random.

 

Fukami: {Rips graph} You… are rejecting my expertise?

 

Kyia: N-no, I just think it’s fairer to keep it random.

 

Hikari: I agree with Kyia!

 

Of course you do…

 

Hikari: {Centers tie} I find it simply more fair. No offense to you Fukami, but your opinion is subjective is it not? We might as well make it random.

 

They’ve got a point… Fukami doesn’t seem too happy about it though.

 

Fukami: {Angry} You are disrespecting… years of experience…

 

Kyia: Right… Is anybody else against making it random?

 

Nobody really reacted… I’m guessing we’re all in agreement, except for Fukami who’s obviously a bit salty…

 

Fukami: {Angry} …

 

 

Kyia: Okay, well let’s first establish what kind of tasks will be needed, we need some people to set up the stage on the roof, I guess we can already put Yoshi on that task {Points to Yoshi} If that’s okay with you of course.

 

Yoshi: {Poses} No task be too much for the Yosh’, Methinks I got this.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} So much for making it random heh.

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} Argh, just… just shut up please.

 

Kenji: Kehehehe, what’s wrong Mr Leader ?

 

Kôzuke: Kenji, please let him do his thing. {Looks to side} This is already taking way too long man.

 

 

Kyia: Thank you… okay, what else will be needed? Some people should prepare the food and drinks. That won’t take too long, it’ll just be moving some trays as everything is already here in the restaurant.

 

I’m just hoping I don’t get something too tiring… Oh and bearable people to do it with. I won’t be able to handle manual labour paired with some of these guys, nuh uh…

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} We need someone to set up the chairs, we could put up the tents that are already on the roof and have little stands with food and stuff. We could also have people making a playlist for some chill music in the background before the show starts.

 

Hikari: Sounds good!

 

Kyia: Ahem yeah, what else? We could make some nice banners to set up the mood, that won’t be too hard of a task and finally… oh duh, we’re gonna need some people to do the dishes of the past couple of days if we want enough cutlery and plates for the event.

 

Hayato: Wait… you’re saying all the cutlery we used since we got here hasn’t been cleaned.

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought} Yeah… it’s all just a big mess in the kitchen, I confronted Monokuma about it, he just rambled on about how it wasn’t part of the director of the resort’s responsibilities or some lame excuse. So yeah, that’s needed. Now, let’s figure out who does what.

 

{Camera shows Kyia putting his hand in the wooden box}

 

Please, please… Please not the freaking dishes, anything but the dishes.

 

Kyia: We’ll start with the food and drinks transportation, let’s say two people are enough, the lucky winners are… Fusume and… oh… it’s me.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Hm, that will work for me.

 

Surprisingly enough, Kyia gets the easiest job… Not suspicious at aaaaall.

 

Kyia: {Peace sign} Cool, next we’ll have two of us helping Yoshi with the stage… Hikari… and Fukami.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Alright! This is going to be fun!

 

Fukami: {Stoic} This does not fit the programs I had in mind… but it shall do, I will do my best.

 

Yoshi: Ayts, a pair of birds to be assistin’ me. That be soundin’ Perf!!!

 

Right… Okay well that’s already two okay jobs taken from me. C’mon not the dishes. Let’s go, continue Kyia… please!

 

Kyia: Next, for the chairs and the tents we will have…  Kenji and Kôzuke.

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Hell yeah bro! We’ve got this in the bag!

 

Kôzuke: Sweet!

 

Okay I still have 66% chance NOT to do the dishes. C’mon.

 

Kyia: Alright, alright… What about the music, it’s gonna be… Shinto and…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Wait!

 

Kyia: Huh?

 

Shinto: I’m… I’m all for making it random yeah… but Yoko will be very upset if I’m with anyone but her… {Innocent smile} So do you all mind if I’m paired up with her?

Everybody seemed to feel for Shinto… who wouldn’t. Well, technically I don’t. My odds have just dropped to 50%…

 

Hikari: I think we can make an exception, right Kyia?

 

Kyia: {Peace sign} If it’s for the sake of maintaining a good atmosphere then I’m all for it. It’ll be Shinto and Yoko in charge of the music then.

 

Shinto: Thank you all… {Innocent smile} You’re saving me from a lot of yelling! {Sad} God…

 

Poor him… Alright. This is the decisive moment.

 

Kyia: So, for the banners… It’ll be Jessie… and Raiko.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Sounds perfect!

 

Oriana: Kyaaah, she’s h-here?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} W-where the hell did you come from?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I was here this whole time hehe. You think I’m not gonna help for this magnificent show? That’s not knowing Raiko Itake hehehe.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} …

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} …

 

Fusume: {Dark look} …

 

Kyia: {Deep in thought}… Well, um, it’s great… yet slightly unexpected that you are willing to help Raiko, I won’t forget it.

 

Raiko: {Giggle} hehehe, anything to help the group darling.

 

 

What game is she playing now. She’s clearly got something up her sleeves. I’ll make sure to be careful.

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Well, I think Raiko-chan and I will do a great job. I’m going to write the banners in sooooo many languages: أنا متحمس!!!

 

Kyia: Great. And for the dishes that leaves us with…

 

Wait, no. Raiko’s sudden appearancemade me forget the real issue here. I’M ON THE FUCKING DISHES?! And with… wait. No… You’ve got to be kidding me.

 

Kyia: If we take into account that Reijiro won’t help… and I don’t think Rina will do anything for the group either. We are left with Hayato, Oriana and Tadao

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Ok… um… I-I think we will uh… d-do just f-fine. {Cute smile} T-thank y-you Kyia for believing in m-me!

 

Kyia: Haha of course! I believe in everyone!

 

Oriana: Kyah! {Cries} Forgive m-me for being so p-presumptuous in assuming I was s-special!

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} Yeah… does that work for you two boys?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} This all matters little… in the grand scheme of the things…

 

Kyia: {Facepalm} Tight… and you Hayato.

 

Hayato: I am erupting with joy.

 

Thinking about it I could have been more subtle with my answer, whatever this is really annoying.

 

Kyia: Brilliant…

 

The two people who don’t speak… And the worst possible job… This is gonna be the worst afternoon of my entire existence. I can just feel the awkwardness already.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notepad} Great! Everybody’s got something to do… Shall we say we do all this after lunch, so we can take the morning to get ready.

 

Kyia: Sounds good to me. Any objections?

 

We all looked at each other in agreement. We had organised this organisation pretty damn well and in fact pretty peacefully. I guess it helped that the three most confictual people aren’t here to argue.

 

Yoshi: Ayts ayts, this finna be fantastic boys and girls!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Yeah we’re gonna have tons of fun!

 

If we skip the doing dishes with Oriana and Tadao part… I can actually say I’m kind of excited for tonight!

 

Kyia: {Confident} Forget about this place, tonight is about us! Let’s get pumped people!!!

 

Kenji: Fuck yeah!

 

Kôzuke: Alright man!

 

Oriana: {Cute smile}  I can’t w-wait.

 

Jessie: Да тръгваме!! Wooo

 

Monokuma: Yahooo!

 

Oriana: Kyaaah, what is… he d-doing here.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Upupupupu did I scare ya Nutcracker? Now, I can’t be having you bastards all hopeful and shit! This game is about despair let’s remember that!

 

Kyia: Back off Monokuma, we will be having this show and there is nothing you can do about it.

 

Fusume: How can this… creature still refer to this as a game. Are our lives this insignificant?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} We probably are insignificant to him

 

Monokuma: Wait a second, I never said I was against this little party of yours, these always end well… {Shows dark side} for me of course.

 

Kenji: The fuck do you mean?

 

Monokuma: Well well well, let’s just say you’d do better to check under the floorboards this time upupu!

 

Hayato: The hell are you on about?

 

Monokuma: {Neutral expression} Inside joke.

 

Shinto: How are you supposed to have an inside joke with yourself?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Don’t worry about it upupu!

 

Hikari: Okay…

 

Kyia: {Angry} Seriously, what the hell are you here for? What are you up to this time?

 

Monokuma: Aw seriously Kyia, can a director not check up on his guests without reason?

 

Hayato: Clearly not, knowing you. So just tell us why you’re here.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} That oughta be correct, speak vile ursine!

 

Monokuma: Fine fine, but you bastards really should learn to treat your director a bit better… Well, I’m just curious… On the reasons behind “this show” of yours.

 

Jessie: Quatsch, this is… none of your business.

 

Kyia: I’ll tell you! We are just showing you how united we really are, we won’t give in to despair Monokuma, and… there is nothing you can do about it!

 

That’s… quite a statement.

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Is that so upupu?

 

Kôzuke : Yeah man, {Pumped} We won’t give up! We have each other!

 

Hikari: That’s right!

 

Kenji: Fuck you Monokuma!

 

I mean… we are getting a bit too pumped about a circus show right now… But, in reality I see no problem in opposing Monokuma so, good for us I guess.

 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} upupu… upupupupu.

 

Kyia: What’s so funny?

 

Monokuma: It’s just amusing that you bastards already forgot what your lives will be like if you don’t escape this resort.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} Are you… perhaps talking about the motive videos you showed up.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} You got it! I’d just like to remind some of you that your future is in your hands… You want the happy ending you’ve always dreamed of? Then the choice is yours upupupu.

 

 

I had tried so hard to erase these images from my mind… Monokuma’s motives… they’re definitely very scary to think about…

 

{Flashback}

 

Monokuma: People were calling Hayato a fraud, who did not deserve his success, and the angry public had no mercy for the Seiki family who quickly ended up bankrupt and on the streets.

 

{On screen, a homeless couple is seen, the woman looking sick and the man pleading for help but getting ignored by the crowd}

 

Monokuma: Hayato Seiki, the Ultimate Author, your two possible futures. The question is, which path will YOU choose. The decision is all yours upupu.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

God… and I know the others were just as shocked as I was… We just hoped nobody would fall for it and… do something irreparable

 

Oriana: I don’t w-want it to… um to end t-the way the v-video showed…

 

Kyia: {Angry} Just… shut up, we’ve seen through the lies you’ve showed us. This is nothing but trickery and we won’t fall for it!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} upupupu, lies? Are you sure? Well, you have no way to be sure really, I guess you’ll all have to trust your instinct on that one… or maybe you shouldn’t who knows upupu.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Shut the fuck up, stop trying to mess with us.

 

Monokuma: {Neutral expression} Me? I’d never do such a terrible thing to my beloved students no… I’m trying to help you, {Turns to show dark side with smirk} I really am upupu.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Just… leave please! We don’t need this from you right now!

 

Monokuma: Sure thing. {Belly laugh} My work here is done upupu. Just remember this one thing… Good ending or bad ending, the choice is all yours, what’s one little murder to save your entire life anyways?

 

And with that comment he left laughing in his usual insufferable way.

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} …

 

Hikari: {Sad} …

 

Fukami: {Defeated} …

 

Oriana: {Cries} …

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} …

 

As expected, this clearly affected the others… Monokuma achieved what he wanted to achieve… What if the despair growing in our hearts gets so unbearable that someone decides to… I know I’d never even consider it, but what about these people…

 

I remember what Raiko told all of us when I met her.

 

{Flashback}

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Are you sure about this Kyia?

 

Kyia: {Deep in though} huh, what’re you saying?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You say you have faith in us, but surely you jest…

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} Itake-san, what can you possibly mean?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You don’t know me, none of you. In fact you don’t know anybody here. How can you claim to have faith when you are in a room with 15 people who could kill you to benefit themselves.

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} N-no but no one here would do such a thing to me. {Confident} Nor to anyone. I don’t give a dump what you say, I have hope.

 

Fukami: You do well Taro-san. I must say that…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} She’s right.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Reijiro was quick to agree with her, and they are kinda right. I still think I should have faith, there is no point in worrying to this extent. Hopefully everything will be fine.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Fuck this… I… I need some time…

 

Kyia: {Pained expression} Wait but we’re not done yet…

 

Kenji: {Crying} I’m sorry…

 

Kenji left…

 

 

I’d never have thought I’d see Kenji crying… This goes to show despite his tough persona he’s still a kid… Just like us. I feel like crap now.

 

The atmosphere was kind of ruined so we all quickly ate and moved on with our lives, we agreed to meet in specific areas after lunch to work on our show preparations. Can’t say I’m excited to do the dishes…

 

{Move back to Hayato’s Room}

 

It’s only 9 AM, I have some time before Lunch, I should probably do something or I’ll get bored…

 

{Free time starts} 

 

{Move to Room hallway}

 

{Move to Bottom floor}

 

{Move to Gym}

 

{Kenji and Reijiro are here}

 

{Talk to Kenji}

 

Kenji: Wassup Hayadog, I’m out here searching through the storage room for some shit to loot. Feel free to join just don’t be a pain in my ass yeah?

 

Should I spend time with Kenji?

 

{Yes/No}

 

I spent the morning looking through the storage room with Kenji who was openly stealing half the objects there, he called it borrowing but we both know it was straight up theft…

I think we grew a little closer.

 

 

Understandably, the atmosphere was pretty cold, I mean how can I forget some of his outbursts recently…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: Shut the hell up already with your camaraderie bullshit.

 

Kenji?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} If I’ve learnt anything about my years in the wild, it’s that the only person you can trust is yourself.

 

Kôzuke: {Sad} Kenji… why do you have to say that?

 

Hikari: Yeah, we’re here for you Kenji, seriously, you should trust us…

 

Kenji: Tch, no thank you, trusting others always ends up biting you in the ass, I would know.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} But tell me, Kimata-san. How do you intend to leave this place by yourself?

 

Kenji: {Furious} What the fuck are you implying!?

 

I mean it’s a valid question she’s asking

 

Kenji: {Pulling on shirt} I… I don’t fucking care. And… and that video, {Furious} I’m getting out of this hellhole, one way or another!

 

Kenji stormed off.

 

{Ends flashback}

 

He definitely seemed affected by the videos, but the comments he made… I can’t say that this is a good sign…

 

 

 

 

There were many awkward silences during the time we spent together but this one was particularly long

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yo, Hayato, can I ask you something?

 

At least he’s not calling me Hayadog that’s a start.

 

Hayato: Go ahead…

 

Kenji: I’m just… curious, do you actually have faith in these fucking people here.

 

Huh… I think I see where this is going.

 

Hayato: I guess, I do… I mean yeah I’ve known them for three days, but I’m trying to trust them, why are you asking?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Tch… Fucking pathetic.

 

I expected that response but… I feel like I kinda had to be honest.

 

Hayato: What do you mean?

 

Kenji: I mean that you don’t fucking know them… It’s been less than half a week. How can you put your life in the hands of… strangers.

 

Hayato: They are strangers sure, but they are like us in a way.

 

Kenji: What do you mean?

 

Hayato: Not only are we all Hope’s Peak students and sure we all have talents but at the end of the day we’re all normal teenagers.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Well not all of us… I’m sorry but Raiko and Yoshi are fucking weirdos… and don’t get me started on Tadao, I can’t stand him.

 

Hayato: True… but we’re still all in the same mess, all of us. Even the… ahem weirdos as you call them, have feelings. We’re all scared and I feel like sticking together is the best way to fight this fear. At least for me it is…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} But… but what if one of these people you trust decides to stab you in the back huh? What fucking happens then?

 

Hayato: I don’t know… I prefer not to think of it that way

 

Kenji: {Looks to the sky} Tch… I thought so, your logic doesn’t stand, just hoping nothing bad will happen will never work. I’d know...

 

Hmm, I wonder what he means by that… Either way, I should make him understand that I think like him…

 

...

 

Hayato: I am kind of like you to be honest… I ask myself this same question every so often.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Hm, how so?

 

Hayato: I… am scared of dying. Most people are… I guess, but I just don’t want my life to end here and I know it’s a gamble to rely on these people who I don’t even know at all… But I just know, its better to have hope and…

 

Kenji: Ok stop. I… I thought you understood but clearly you don’t.

 

What?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Relying on hope alone is useless, you only get shit done by acting up. And… and having faith in people is also a fucking waste of time, all it does is make it easier for others to fuck you over.

 

Hayato: But that’s just a pessimistic way to see thi-

 

Kenji: {Furious} Shut up. I always say this, and I’ll stand by my words, I won’t get too comfortable, because danger is always right along the way. That’s how I live.

 

Here he goes with that catchphrase again…

 

Kenji: Now excuse me but… I’ve got shit to do.

 

With that, he grabbed a long piece of rope as well as what looked like a fishing line, both of which were laying on the floor and put it in the bag he used to store the things he wanted to take. Probably seeing how perplexed I was he added,

 

Kenji: I… I might need these later alright. Don’t judge me… or do, what do I fucking care.

 

And then he left.

 

Well that’s not the best way this could have ended but whatever…

 

 

I guess I understand Kenji a bit better now.

 

{Kenji’s report card has been updated based on your experience with him}

 

As I was now alone, I decided to go back to my room.

 

 

After quite a bit of time had passed. I headed to lunch and when everybody was done eating I entered the kitchen to start my dishes duty. I am slightly early but whatever...

 

 

 

 

???: WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!?

 

Huh? That sounded like Kyia… I should check out what’s going on.

 

{Move to Restaurant}

 

The scene that awaited me was… surprising to say the least.

 

{Camera shows Oriana on the floor with blood on her face, Fukami is kneeling next to her. On the other side of the room Kyia looks terrified}

 

Fukami: Taro-san! What is the matter with you…

 

Kyia: {Horrified} She… she got it on me the bitch… It’s… it’s…

 

Hayato: W-who the heck are you calling that?

 

Kyia: It’s on me! IT’S FUCKING ON ME!

 

Oriana was on the floor crying. Fukami stood up.

 

Fukami: {Stoic} Taro-san, get ahold of yourself, what are these manners.

 

Kyia: {Crying} Get the fuck away from me… ALL OF YOU!

 

Fukami moved over to him but before she could do anything else, he pushed her off, she fell with a resounding thud on the cold floor.

 

And with that Kyia stormed off…

 

 

 

 

What the hell just happened.

 

 

Once again this scene of Kyia’s made enough noise for basically the whole group to be reunited in said place.

 

Reijiro: Does anybody want to explain what in god’s name just happened…?

 

Jessie: Oriana-chan!! Is that blood? Was ist passiert??

 

Fukami {Gets up} It was nothing but a simple nosebleed. I was going to take care of it. I am in awe as to Taro-san’s reaction.

 

Oriana: {Cries} I’m sorry… I’m s-so sorry

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} This isn’t your fault Oriana, Kyia is clearly… in the wrong here. He even got violent with Fukami… this will not stand!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Indeed, violence of this kind is inadmissible… especially from a so called leader.

 

Jessie: Oriana-chan, why don’t you come with me, we’ll get you cleaned up okay?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Yes p-please…

 

Hikari: The rest of you, back to your jobs if you will. Kyia will join us when he decides to act normal again.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Should you not go to talk to him maybe? It worked well last time…

 

Hikari: {Sad} No. This time he’s got to make the move to us. He is one of the leaders of the group, is he not? This is his responsability.

 

Shinto: Ah, fair enough.

 

Hikari: Alright all of you, let’s go. Oriana, of course you are excused from working if you don’t feel well.

 

Oriana: N-no… No, I want t-to help!

 

Hikari: {Smile} That’s… very honourable of you!

 

She still wants to help despite what just happened. That’s surprisingly brave from her.

 

Hayato: We’ll meet at 3 PM Oriana, so you have a little time to rest

 

Oriana: O-Okay, t-thanks Hayato

 

 

And gradually everybody left leaving just me and Hikari in the room.

 

Hikari: I just don’t understand…

 

She clearly doesn’t like seeing Kyia like that… And it's not the first time he act this way…

 

{Flashback}

 

Kyia: She’s wha… ARGHHH

 

Hayato: Kyia?

 

Kyia: {Horrified} GET AWAY FROM ME!

 

He suddenly let go of her hand, letting her drop back on the floor.

 

Kyia: {Horrified} Y-you you got it on me you fucking…

 

What the hell is going on?

 

Hayato: Kyia… what’s happen-

 

Kyia: GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME, ALL OF YOU!

 

He ran off.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hikari: I don’t understand… what happened to him. He’s usually so kind with me and with everyone… how does he turn into such a monster? He flipping attacked Fukami, seriously.

 

Hayato: I don’t understand it either… But we’ll talk it through with him alright…? Think about tonight, he’ll be back to normal by then, he was basically the one carrying the whole thing, he’s as excited as any of us.

 

Hikari: {Tearing up} You think… he’ll come?

 

Hayato: I have no doubts in my mind.

 

She quietly sobbed for a little bit and I couldn’t find anything to do other than give her a very lame hug. I think it helped though…

 

 

We stayed silent there for a little while… Just us two… it was nice.

 

 

After some time, she finally broke the silence.

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Ahem, Fukami and Yoshi must be waiting for me, I shouldn’t let them down. {Passionate stance} Tonight has got to be amazing… for all of us. Even Kyia! Let’s do it!

 

That’s the spirit.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} I’ll see you later Hayato!

 

And with that she ran off.

 

It was already 2:30 PM so I sat at a table for a little while to wait for Oriana, and just aimlessly stared at a wall for a half hour or so… It was oddly relaxing, I guess.

 

When the time got to 3:00, I headed back to the kitchen as enthusiastic as I could be in this situation… which to clarify is not very enthusiastic at all!

 

{Move to Kitchen}

 

Tadao was already there… silent as always. Oriana didn’t take too long to arrive either.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} S-sorry… I’m so s-sorry, I’m horribly l-late {Cries} S-sorry.

 

Horribly late? We said we’d meet at 3 PM and it is…3:03? How is that terribly late

 

Hayato: It’s alright Oriana, you’re only three minutes late, don’t worry.

 

Oriana:{Shocked} Three w-whole minutes{Cries} G-god I’m uh so…  so… sorry...

 

She started crying… What the hell did I do wrong? Tadao looked at me like I was some kind of monster… Then again that’s how he’s been looking at us for the past three days so I won’t take too much offense…

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I’m so s-sorry, it’s j-just uh… punctuality is s-super important at uhm… ballet s-schools and… I… I d-don’t like being late…

 

This seems like a pressing issue for her, maybe I should ask her about it when I have the time…

 

 

For now, let’s get these dishes done with.

 

Tadao: {Sad} Can I talk now…

 

Hayato: Ahem, of course of course.

 

Didn’t expect I’d hear his voice at all today, isn’t this world full of surprises…

 

Oriana: {Cries} Oh… oh my, d-did I stop you f-from expressing y-yourself Tadao? I’m d-deeply sorry…

 

And there she goes again…

 

Tadao: {Expressionless} Save it… I just want to say that the eye warned me.

 

The eye did what now?

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} The task that awaits for us… lies under these sheets.

 

He proceeded to point at a tray that was covered in grey-ish cloth.

 

Oriana: The… t-the eye can know t-that?

 

Tadao: {Hides face with shawl} The eye is omniscient… it never misses a thing…

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Kyahhh!!!

 

Why do I always get the weirdos seriously…? Argh, better play along for now and just look under those sheets I guess…

 

I walked over to the tray to lift up the cloth and reveal…

 

{The camera shows a big metal tray filled with plates and cutlery covered in rotten looking food}

 

As soon as I lifted the sheet, a repulsive and… nauseating smell escaped from the tray.

 

Oriana: Kyah! How… g-gross.

 

Tadao: {Sighs} …

 

How the hell was the food already rotten, we have only been here for three days, it would take a lot longer for food to rot like that. Unless…

 

Monokuma: Upupu Surprise!!!

 

Oriana: Kyahhhh, s-stop s-startling me!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} upupupupu, how amusing… But… what is this disgusting smell coming from this place. What have you damn teens even been eating?

 

Hayato: You tell me! You’re the one who’s been providing the food here, how the hell did it all rot so quickly?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} It s-smells so… so b-bad…

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} The eye knew it… but why did it not warn me… why, I wonder.

 

Monokuma: {Neutral expression} I have no idea how it turned to shit like that… Oh wait I do upupu!

 

What the hell did that thing do now…

 

Monokuma: I overheard you bastards talking about the organisation of your little party tonight so I thought I’d make it a little bit more annoying for y’all to set it up. Just a bit though. No need to despair about it just yet upupu!

 

Hayato: Wait wait wait… So you’re telling me purposely added all this rotten food in the tray?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} That’s right! Ain’t that a neat gift from your favorite director.

 

What a fucking…

 

Hayato: Just fuck off… let us do this in peace.

 

Oriana: T-that’s r-right. Leave you m-mean bear… p-please!

 

Monokuma: But of course upupupu, my job here is done. Have fun kids!

 

Monokuma left.

 

Hayato: Alright well… that was a dick move.

 

Oriana: W-whatever evil things he d-does… we will s-still manage. T-that’s what my um… h-heart tells me.

 

Tadao: {Sombre} How cute… your heart won’t save us from the terrible darkness that awaits us now will it?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyahh!! D-darkness?

 

These guys are just made for each other… He says weird shit and she’ll just instantly believe it. Well, I thought doing the dishes would be bad and annoying but I didn’t think it’d be that bad. I don’t even want to look at that tray.

 

 

Phew, luckily enough there are kitchen gloves lying around here, I won’t have to touch this shit directly.

 

Hayato: Alright people, this is going to be gross but let’s just get it over with alright!

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} Y-yeah let’s d-do it!

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Fine.

 

And so we started, one dish at a time.

 

 

We quickly realised we needed some kind of system to make this work, so we decided to do this as a team, Tadao would scrub, Oriana would rinse and I would dry.

 

 

Two hours or so later… we were finally done.

 

Hayato: Damn… Well, that was exhausting but we did it! Well done guys

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} Thank y-you! It… was uh… an h-honour working with you both.

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Meh, this simple task does not compete with the harsh struggle of living.

 

Always the words to brighten the mood this guy… Well that prick Monokuma definitely made our lives a little bit miserable… But we did it, and in a pretty small amount of time as well! The good news is that I’ll probably have some time to chill in my room before the show tonight!

 

Hayato: Alright I’ll catch you guys tonight! See you later

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} B-bye bye Hayato

 

Tadao: Hm, I will not be attending tonight.

 

Hayato: Seriously? Why not…?

 

Tadao: You people… Would not understand {Points at armband} The teachings of the eye.

 

Tadao left.

 

Right…

 

Hayato: Bye Oriana!

 

I then made my way back to my room.

 

{Back to Hayato’s Room}

 

Finally, some peace and quiet… I feel like this is the calm before the storm, tonight is going to be intense… and I can’t say the past couple of days haven’t been full of emotions.

 

This is where I’m happy, alone… in my bed.

 

If only I had my typewriter with me, I could… no, now’s not the the time to think about writing… I should just be resting.

 

 

I just chilled by myself for an hour or so. As I was getting ready to take a small nap, someone knocked at the door.

 

Hayato: Who is it?

 

No one’s answering, I should check and see who it is.

 

{Examine door}

 

Fusume: Hello, Hayato. Can I come in.

 

Hayato: Um, yes of course

 

Can’t say that I was expecting it to be her… but knowing her she wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t important so let’s see.

 

Fusume: Wait, maybe this is not the most adequate place for this conversation to be held, who knows who might be listening.

 

Hayato: It’s my room, nobody will hear a thing.

 

That came out worse than I expected…

 

Fusume: Meet me at the Aula, as fast as you can.

 

She left.

 

 

What the hell was that all about. Guess I should go and meet her then.

 

{Move to Room hallway}

 

{Move to first floor}

 

{Move to Aula}

 

There she is… so what is this all about then?

 

{Talk to Fusume}

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} You’re here. Good. I called you here to tell you I will not be coming tonight.

 

Hayato: Really? Why not?

 

Fusume: I am worried. I sense a great danger surrounding this event. This is why I shall be an outside observer, and make sure nothing out of the ordinary happens.

 

Hmm, I guess she really is concerned about keeping us safe.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} If anyone is planning something. I will know it… and I will act upon it to keep you all safe.

 

Hayato: But Fusume… is that really necessary? It’s just a show.

 

Fusume: Nonsense! Have you not realised it yet? This resort is filled with opportunities for murder. Just look on the reception desk, there are heavy objects everywhere that are just begging to be used to kill.

 

I guess she has a point. On the desk lie some candlesticks, trophies and lamps that could easily be used to clobber someone on the back of the head. This looks like a freaking clue board.

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} My decision has been taken, I will not be attending. I shall keep you informed of anything I discover. However, if anybody’s behavior strikes you as… peculiar let’s say, do tell me immediately.

 

Hayato: S-sure thing! I’ll do that then.

 

Fusume: Good, I will now go prepare for my observation mission.

 

Hayato: Fusume, wait! I have a question for you.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Speak.

 

Hayato: Why are you telling me this? Out of all people here, I don’t strike as the one you’d tell this to.

 

Fusume: Hm, simple. Reijiro is not involved in the event and Kyia did not answer his door when I was looking for him. You seemed like the next most reliable person.

 

So I was option three then… flattering. It is slightly worrying that Kyia didn’t answer her but I guess he needs his time alone. I won’t make a big deal out of nothing.

 

Fusume: Good luck tonight. Do keep me informed. I’ll be on watch.

 

Fusume left.

 

 

Alright then, it’s very honourable of Fusume to sacrifice herself like that. Then again… I didn’t imagine her as much of a party girl, so this is kind of a win win for her.

 

I don’t want to worry as much as she’s worrying right now. Tonight will be awesome… nothing to be scared of. It sure is reassuring that she’s on watch though.

 

 

Anyways, now that I’m here I should grab something to eat. We said we’d meet at 8PM, I don’t want to be late.

 

 

I therefore made my way to the restaurant and had my usual serving of noodles. It was very uneventful as the restaurant was almost empty. I’m guessing most people are making last minute preparations for the event.

 

 

When I was done eating, it was close to 8:00, time flies doesn’t it… I should make my way to the rooftop area, the show will start any time now.

 

{Move to rooftop}

 

When I arrived at the rooftop most of the group was already there. I’ve got to give it to them, everybody did a great job in setting up the place. The empty rooftop area I’d gotten to know was completely transformed. There were three tents set up at the west extremity in a straight line. On the opposite side was a big colorful stage with various circus accessories laid on it.

 

I should mingle a bit while we wait for the show to start, there’s no point in waiting by myself.

 

{Talk to Hikari}

 

Hayato: Hey there.

 

Hikari: {Smile} Heya Hayato! It’s looking good isn't it?

 

Hayato: Very! I’m impressed we managed to put all this off in one afternoon.

 

Hikari: Fukami and I helped Yoshi build the stage from scratch, lucky us there was wood and other materials at our disposition.

 

That seems… almost too convenient.

 

Hikari: Never underestimate the power of 13 determined Ultimate students, I knew we’d make it special!

 

13? That means three of us didn't participate… Reijiro, Rina and…?

 

Hikari: {Sad} I know what you’re thinking… Sadly, Kyia didn't show up to his task. Fusume ended up doing it all alone.

 

Kyia… Didn't show up?

 

Hayato: But… That makes no sense, he’s the one who organized all of this… Why wouldn't he participate?

 

Hikari: {Looks down} I don’t know honestly. I’m still hoping he’ll end up coming… But it seems more and more unlikely as time passes.

 

He was really angry this morning but still…

 

{Flashback}

 

Hikari: {Flips through notepad} Great! Everybody’s got something to do… Shall we say we do all this after lunch, so we have time to take the morning get ready.

 

Kyia: Sounds good to me. Any objections?

 

We all looked at each other in agreement. We had organised this organisation pretty damn well and pretty peacefully. I guess it helped that the three most confictual people aren’t here to argue.

 

Yoshi: Ayts ayts, this finna be fantastic boys and girls!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Yeah we’re gonna have tons of fun!

 

If we skip the doing dishes with Oriana and Tadao part… I can actually say I’m kind of excited for tonight!

 

Kyia: {Confident} Forget about this place, tonight is about us! Let’s get pumped people!!!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

He was really the guy who carried this show. If it wasn't for him Reijiro wouldn't have allowed it and we probably would have given up… So why isn't he here?

 

Hikari: Kyia… He’s a complicated guy… But it’s fine knowing him he’ll get over his little… Well not so little outburst. It will all turn out okay in the end. It has to…

 

 

Hikari is trying to put on a brave face but she's clearly worried. Even though it bothers me a little, Kyia and her have gotten pretty close recently… And if something happened to him… Argh what am I saying, nothing will happen, in fact he’s the safest he can be right now alone in his room…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Anyways, we’re all here now and everything worked out… Even without his help.

 

Hayato: Yeah, I’m guessing Fusume did a good amount of work for it to be finished in time.

 

Hikari: She finished moving everything in less than half an hour… She is clearly faster than she appears.

 

That is… very fast…

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} The clock is ticking… Without Kyia here I’ll have to oversee stuff here… Um, I’ll go check on Yoshi and see if he is ready. {Smiles} I'll catch you later Hayato!

 

I’ve still got some time… I’ll go talk to a few more people before the show starts.

 

{Talk to Jessie}

 

Jessie: {Ecstatic} Hayato-kun, Hayato-kun, Hayatoooooo-kun!

 

Hayato: Hi Jessie, what are you so excited about?

 

Jessie: Do you like my banner? Isn’t it wunderbar ???

 

I hadn’t paid close attention to Jessie’s work but hanging above the stage was a big bright yellow banner which said circus in a bunch of different languages. I think there is chinese and… is that spanish maybe? I don’t know I’ve always been terrible with languages to be fair. Either way it was a nice touch.

 

Hayato: Yeah, definitely it’s a definitely a nice addition to the evening.

 

Jessie: Yayyy, I’m so glad you like it!!! I spent a bunch of time working on it with Raiko-chan. Fatiguant, but fun. Even thought that bear... Peu importe! Let's have fun tonight!

 

Raiko was involved in the making of this? Can’t say I like hearing that… Then again Jessie is smart enough to have noticed if anything was off.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I know what you’re thinking, but no Raiko-chan didn’t do anything shady. Estoy segura! No need to worry!

 

Hayato: Ok, I trust you, anyways what dangerous stuff could you do with a banner?

 

Jessie: {Worried} Well, let’s not give her any ideas…

 

Right… Who knows what to expect with this girl.

 

{Talk to Kenji}

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Yoyoyo, if it isn’t the Hayadog himself.

 

Please don’t call me that… please don’t let it become a thing.

 

Kôzuke: Hey there Hayato man.

 

Hayato: Hey guys, how are you both doing?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I’m okay considering freak show asked me to be the “guard” for the show. He wants me to watch the staircase to make sure that bitch Monokuma doesn’t make an appearance.

 

Hayato: Mmh, that sure would be annoying.

 

Monokuma: Wazzaaaa! Did somebody say supermodel bear?

 

Kenji: Argh, where the fuck did it come from?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} The great Monokuma doesn’t need doors! I can appear and disappear at will. Like this {Vanishes}

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} How the hell did he do that man?

 

Monokuma: Aaaaand, I’m back.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Just fuck off, we don’t need you here.

 

Monokuma: {Neutral expression} Aw, isn’t that Kyia’s line? By the way, where is the boy? I thought this was his dream evening y’all were preparing.

 

Even Monokuma has noticed that he’s missing huh…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} We don’t know where he is man…  But he’ll show up!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} You two don’t know where he is? I thought you guys were tight!

 

Kenji: What the hell are you saying?

 

Monokuma: {Starry eyed} I saw you as the three men of the resort, a modern three musketeer, Kyia, Kenji and Kôzuke, we’d call you KK… wait I can’t say that. Fuck… not that either… Gosh darn, we’re gonna lose our sponsors if I continue. I gotta go kids, {Red eye glowing} Have fun!

 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} That was… weird.

 

Kenji: Yeah…

 

Right…

 

{Talk to Yoko}

 

Yoko: {Kissing a picture of Shinto} My beautiful Shinto, could a woman be any happier?

 

Shinto: My life wouldn’t be complete without you my darling.

 

So they’re back to being all lovey-lovey huh. I probably shouldn’t interrupt, don’t wanna ruin the moment.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Hey there Hayato.

 

Oh… nevermind I guess.

 

Hayato: Hi guys, you excited for the show?

 

Yoko: Very! I can’t wait to spend some one on one time with my Shinto!

 

One on one? But… do you not get how this works?

 

Shinto: There will be a crowd so… Well, either way it’ll be nice.

 

Yoko: Even in a crowded place… All I can see is you my love.

 

Shinto: I love you so much, you don’t even understand.

 

And they’re back. At least this is slightly romantic…

 

Yoko: And either way, if we do need some alone time, {Blushing and drooling} There’s always that changing room backstage…

 

Shinto: Oh, do continue mylady…

 

And… I’m out.

 

{Talk to Rina}

 

Hayato: Look who decided to show up…

 

Rina: {Annoyed| Are you like… talking to me with that judgemental tone? Don’t you common folks learn to respect celebrities?

 

Hayato: I’m not being judgemental… Just surprised, but happy you did decide to join us.

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} Sorry, I can’t hear you all the way down at your pathetic little “nobody knows me” level.

 

Hey that’s not nice…

 

 

What a little brat…

 

Rina: {Yawns} Anything else you wanted to say?

 

Hayato: Well… why did you come? I thought you didn’t want to be involved with us.

 

Rina: I don’t, trust me. You lot are nothing compared to me, for reals.

 

Hayato: Then what are you doing here? Are you maybe a little curious?

 

Rina: {Blushing} Me? {Annoyed} Ugh, why the heck would I be curious of your little shit show. I just came to see circus boy get embarrassed that’s all.

 

I did see her blush… Somebody’s actually interested in us despite all her protests. How cute.

 

Rina: Why are you looking at me like that. You think I’m actually interested in you lot, aren't you? Don’t make me laugh, stars like me don’t have time for scum like you.

 

She’s blushing harder and harder…

 

Hayato: Sure… sure…

 

Rina: {Angry} Stop! Whatever you’re thinking of right now just stop!

 

This is too fun.

 

Hayato: Of course… anything for you.

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} PFFFF, STOP IT!

 

Hayato: I believe you Rina, don’t worry about it.

 

Rina: Grrr, I hate you!

 

She left… I took way too much pleasure in teasing her. Her reaction shows she definitely is interested in being with us, how interesting…

 

 

I think I’ve had a chance to talk with most people here, the only people missing being Reijiro and Tadao, which was kind of obvious, Fusume, who gave me her reasons… Kyia, who… hopefully will show up. And… Oriana? Where the hell is she?

 

Yoshi: Hey! Hey! You there!

 

Is he talking to me?

 

Yoshi: Ye you, with da brocoli restin’ on top of yo’ head. The Yosh’ be requirin’ your presence!

 

I’ll let that terrible comment on my hair go through unnoticed and I’ll just go… see that he needs.

 

{Talk to Yoshi}

 

Yoshi: Howdy Howdy, come on over to the great Yoshi Akeno.

 

Hayato: Hey Yoshi what's happening?

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} What is happenin’ is that I need yo’ assistin’. As much as I ain’t proud to admit it, a show finna not be workin’ by itself.

 

So he needs my help huh? What happened to the great Yoshi better than all of us combined? Anyways, I don’t mind helping him.

 

Hayato: What can I help you with?

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} Well, well, well, I’ve been settin’ up some equipment backstage, all I be needin’ is for a couple of y’all to be stayin’ there and be handlin’ lights and music and so on.

 

Wait he wants me to miss the show? That’s slightly annoying…

 

Hayato: But why are you asking me of all people?

 

Yoshi: {Bows} I’ve already been writin’ down a sheet with all da necessary cues… It finna be an easy enough job! {Flustered} Plus, the Yosh’ don’t be trustin’ them other peeps with dis… If da show was to be in ruins… That won’t be happenin’!

 

So he’s asking me because he trusts me… Or at least more than the other guys… I'll take that as a compliment. I guess I don't really have much of a choice here do I? I’m kind of annoyed I’ll be missing the show though…

 

Yoshi: Stop right there! The Yosh’ be knowin’ what’s in yo’ head! You don’t be wantin’ to miss the best circus show on the planet Do ya? Rest assured, I be havin’ the solution!

 

The solution?

 

Yoshi: {Bows} I’ve already asked Sweater Weather to be filmin’ the whole thing. You’ll be lucky enough to be watchin’ it in replay!

 

Sweater weather? I’m guessing he’s referring to Hikari, she’s the only one wearing a sweater here… And she does have a camera that’s right! Well, it's better than nothing. I guess I'll help him then…

 

Hayato: Alright, Yoshi I’m in… I'll help you!

 

Yoshi: {Poses} That be… Fantasmabulous! The show can begin soon!!! Oh you won’t be bein’ alone helpin’ I’ve already asked Helmet Boy and Moneybags to be a part of the Yoshi Crew!

 

Oh… So once again I'm not first choice! How pleasant… Well there could be worse partners than Kôzuke and Fukami so I’ll be okay.

 

Oriana: Y-Yoshi…

 

There she is… I wonder where she has been all this time…

 

Yoshi: {Ignoring Oriana} Fantastic this show shall be… Out of dis world!

 

Oriana: Yoshi, I… uh have what you asked me…

 

Yoshi: Mere mortels… Y’all ain’t ready!

 

Oriana: Yoshi… P-please…

 

Yoshi: {Poses} FOR THE WORK OF A GOD!

 

He’s too focused on his ego to hear her… Poor Oriana.

 

Oriana: {Cries}  Y-Yoshi!

 

Yoshi: {Startled} Oh you here Music Box? You be bringin’ what I asked?

 

Oriana: Y-yes it’s all on stage

 

Yoshi: Perfect! {Screaming} EVERYBODY, DA BEST SHOW OF YO’ LIVES FINNA BEGIN! GET TO YO’ PLACES!

 

He started leaving

 

Hayato: Good luck Yoshi!

 

Yoshi: {Under his breath} The Yosh’... ain’t be needin’ no luck…

 

 

The show is about to start… The audience is starting to sit in front of the stage… Hikari is at the very front, camera in hand. Kenji is standing at the back guarding the door… Even though it’s kind of useless seeing how Monokuma doesn't use doors…

 

 

I looked up, the night sky coupled up with the stage lights created a very festive atmosphere… The smiles on everybody’s faces proved to me that my worries were for naught… Tonight is going to be awesome. I’m sure of it!

 

 

I should go backstage, I assume Fukami and Kôzuke are already waiting there for me.

 

{Move to Backstage Area}

 

As I got there, I immediately noticed all the work that had been put in getting this place ready for the show. The room I had visited on the first day was hardly recognizable. The sliding door had been completely opened and a big black curtain had been hung up on the ceiling to create a sort of separation between the stage and this newly created backstage area. Suddenly the little changing room at the back made a lot more sense… Could Monokuma have planned it all to this extent?

 

Argh, I shouldn't think of that stupid bear… Let me concentrate on the task at hand.

 

{Talk to Fukami}

 

Fukami:Good Evening Seiki-San, {Adjusts glasses} I presume you have also been brought into this by Akeno-san… {Unnerved} I propose we do our best…  for the group as a whole.

 

She doesn't seem too happy to be here, I thought she said she always wanted to help.

 

Hayato: Is something troubling you Fukami? You look a little bit annoyed…

 

Fukami: {Angry} …

 

 

Fukami {Stoic}It… It does not matter, I had business to attend to but so be it. I am glad to be assisting in this production.

 

Sure… You don’t look so glad but whatever, I’d rather not argue right now.

 

Fukami: Enough with this aimless banter… I propose we concentrate on our duty yes? I have already studied the mixing table we have been given…

 

{Camera shows a mixing table annotated with many different colored post-it notes}

 

Fukami: On the sheet of paper given to me by Akeno-San there are many cues which indicate which button to press. In short whenever we hear applause we are expect to do something, changing lights or changing the music. It all seems very doable.

 

She looks like she knows what she is doing… Well less for me to do, that’s not a bad thing. At least nobody will blame me in case something goes wrong…

 

Fukami: I am used to this type of apparatus, business gatherings often require a mixing table and I like being in charge of every aspect of my work. It will not be perfect… if I am not in charge.

 

Perfectionist much? I guess it does explain her success in a way… She worked so hard for everything to be perfect, that’s what gave her this reputation and… made her so rich.

 

Fukami: {Finger on lip} Be that as it may. The show will begin shortly. I shall take care of the mixing table but I will ask you to stay put, Seiki-san. Akeno-san or I might require your help at any time.

 

Hayato: Of course, you can count of me.

 

Hopefully it won't come to that thought, I'm not against not doing anything…

 

{Talk to Kôzuke}

 

Kôzuke: Hey again Hayato man! {Worried} I see Yoshi also brought you into this mess…

 

Oh… and here’s someone else who doesn't seem very enthusiastic about these last minute responsibility

 

*bong*

 

That sounded like metal hitting concrete... It was faint yet loud enough for me to notice it.

 

Hayato: Did you hear that?

 

Kôzuke: Hear what?

 

Hayato: Hm, Forget about it...

 

If he didn't hear it then it was probably nothing...   

 

Hayato: Anyways, What’s the matter with you?

 

Kôzuke: I just don't feel like doing this.

 

Hayato: Why not? Did you want to see the show?

 

Kôzuke: What? Nah man… {Surprised} I don't care about this stupid show!

 

Then what’s the problem…?

 

Kôzuke: I just don't handle responsibilities well you know, I don't want people to blame me if it all goes to shit… {Looks to side} I didn't sign up for this…

 

Hayato: I guess that makes-

 

Kôzuke: Not only that, {Worried} But I don't like leaving Kenji alone… He’s gonna get so bored man… And he’s gotta stand next to the door, he can't even sit down like everyone else. How unfair is that man?

 

Hayato: Sure I guess that-

 

Kôzuke: I'm not done, {Looks to side} Seriously why was I picked out of all people huh? The heck do I know about circus shows man?

 

He is full on ranting now…

 

Kôzuke: Also seriously, why is there no air conditioning in this room, I'm so hot right now, it's not even funny…

 

He does have a point… This room is burning hot.

 

Hayato: We should do something about this or we’ll quickly feel ill…

 

Kôzuke: True that man… {Worried} But what can we do?

 

Hayato: What about opening this big window at the back… We could let some air through and hopefully the room will get gradually colder…

 

Kôzuke: That could work… Why don't you do the honors man?

 

In other words you you want me to do all the work… This is a “lift open” type of window, and it looks particularly heavy… Fine, I guess it’ll benefit us all either way.

 

{Examine Backstage Window}

 

I slowly approached the imposing frame of the backstage window, half questioning why someone would design a window so oversized…

 

It is when I opened it, with great struggle but we don’t need to emphasizes this part, that I realized our mistake, the window didn't open to the outside but rather to the gym… About 5 or 6 meters below our position was the immaculate gymnasium floor which could have been used for so many activities… If our situation wasn't so grim.

 

Kôzuke: So much for outside fresh air huh… I can't believe we’re in this nice a resort and we can't go outside… How stupid is this…?

 

Hayato: I do have to agree that it makes very little sense, the again does anything really make sense in the place?

 

Kôzuke: True that, true that… {Looks to side} Well, might as well leave it open now, if the air flows a little it might get cooler in here…

 

Might as well…

 

Kôzuke: Alright let’s get back to that control table thing, the show’s probably about to start.

 

Let’s…

 

{Examine Inflatable swimming pool}

 

There is one thing I don't understand… What’s this inflatable swimming pool doing here? Right in the middle of the room…

 

Fukami: You’re curious concerning the pool Seiki-san, correct?

 

Hayato: Yeah, that’s right… Any ideas?

 

Fukami: I was confused as well to begin with but I did ultimately find the answer in the program sheet Yoshi gave me…

 

Hayato: And?

 

Fukami: This is simply a prop for his final trick, acrobatics over this swimming pool, filled with cold water,  seems to be the cherry on the cake.

 

Hayato: Is it safe having it in the middle of the room though? If it's already full of water, with all the electric cables around here it might be dangerous no?

 

Fukami:{Adjusts glasses} It appears there is not enough time between the acts to fill the swimming pool, it is indeed more practical to have it full to begin with.

 

Hayato: I see… Let’s be careful then… We don't want any silly accidents…

 

Fukami:{Finger on lip} Indeed, thank you for the notice Seiki-san, we shall be cautious…

 

 

Fukami, Kôzuke and I stayed in silence for a couple minutes as the lights dimmed… Even though we couldn't see anything past the black silky curtain, we held our breath as the crowd got quiet…

 

 

And then bursted with applause as Yoshi’s shadow appeared on our side of the curtain, bowing with confident swagger. The man of the hour was on stage… The show had started!

 

For the next hour or so, Yoshi performed different acts, causing the audience to cheer, laugh or even scream when he carried out more dangerous stunts, all we could see was his silhouette through the curtain but seeing how high the shadow was, we understood how perilous some of his acts were… definitely deservant of the Ultimate Circus Artist.

 

Yoshi occasionally left the stage to change costumes and greeted us with a thumbs up… we were doing our job well apparently. Then again, I say we but it’s really Fukami who did everything. I almost never touched the control panel as she wanted to be in charge of everything. Despite all the experience she claimed to have however, she did seem very nervous, understandably so, as Yoshi would be quite upset if we messed up his performance. Yet, the amount of sweat she produced did seem slightly out of character.

 

 

Time went by fast and the performances transitioned flawlessly into one another without any apparent hitch. We followed the planning Yoshi had left us and we made sure everything tech related went through according to plan. It is only towards the end of the show between two acts that we had an… unexpected guest.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Hey guys!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Um, hi Raiko.

 

Fukami: Good evening, Itake-san.

 

What does she want…? It’s clear that nobody trusts her so I wonder what the hell she wants to do now. She won’t mess up our organisation… She better not.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} May I ask what it is you’re doing on this side of the curtain, Itake-san. Are you not part of the crowd?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Oh but of course hehe. I am simply weary of this heat. Staying hydrated is important. Therefore being the responsible girl that I am, I thought I’d get drinks for everyone, that includes you guys who sacrificed yourselves for the good of the show!

 

Her “cute” persona is so obviously fake, I don’t know why anyone would buy it. It is nice of her to get us drinks and I would be perfectly fine with it if it was anyone but her… What is it that she wants? That’s the real question.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You’re not gonna poison us or anything are you?

 

Raiko proceeded to wrap both her arms around Kôzuke, who immediately turned red as a tomato.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Hehe, you’re so funny Kôzuke… {Heart with hands} I’d never do anything so evil, I’m incapable of doing any harm to anyone after all.

 

Kôzuke: That’s cool and all but do you mind letting go of me please.

 

Raiko proceeded to kiss him on the cheek which was he responded to by uncomfortably fumbling away from her grasp.

 

 

What is she trying to do here? Clearly she’s making Kôzuke uncomfortable on purpose but is that just for her own amusement or is there a more serious reason? I wonder…

 

Fukami: Ahem, I will gladly have a glass of water Itake-san, it is very nice of you to offer.

 

That was a diplomatic way to break the awkward silence… I know for a fact that Fukami is smart enough to share my suspicions regarding Raiko’s actions. It’s best to play along for now.

 

Hayato: I’ll also gladly have water, thanks Raiko.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} And what about you my dear?

 

Kôzuke: {Embarrassed} Uh… I t-think I’ll have a-a glass of juice please.

 

Raiko: {Curtsy} With pleasure, I’ll bring that to you in an instant.

 

Raiko left and we waited a few minutes in silence… Putting together what had just happened.

 

 

The look on Fukami’s face showed I was right to think she was onto Raiko’s ruse… The look on Kôzuke’s however transpired of a strange mix of embarrassment, anger and a sort of arousal… That was definitely a weird experience for him.

 

Fukami: Itake-san… is up to no good. I suggest not drinking whatever concoction she brings us.

 

Kôzuke: {Alarmed} Wait… you actually thinks she would poison us?

 

Fukami: {Finger on lip} I do not think anything, I will just advise you to be cautious with her, we know she is a twisted individual.

 

Twisted is definitely the word… Not only is her talent the Ultimate Schemer but she has shown by her actions since we got here, that she has no intention of getting along with us… which makes this cute persona very hard to buy… I guess we’ll just see.

 

Hayato: You’re right, I think we should be cautious with her.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Do you think she would be capable of… you know doing it?

 

I’ve been asking myself the same question… It is a hard one really…

 

Fukami: It would be a bad move on her behalf to kill this early in the game as we would automatically suspect her…

 

Kôzuke: What do you mean this early? You think there are going to be multiple murders? But I thought we said we weren't going to let that happen man.

 

It is quite a statement she made… What if? No. No, I can’t afford to think like her. Realistically, nobody here seems capable of such a crime… Even Raiko… she wouldn’t kill someone would she? It’s too horrible of a thing seriously.

 

Fukami: {Stoic} As much as I do hate to say it, this outcome does seem… inevitable to me, especially given Monokuma’s motives, that is unless we find a way out of this resort, that should be our main concern from tomorrow on.

 

Hayato: That’s a valid idea, we should let Kyia and Reijiro know… maybe without the whole multiple murders idea though. It would be useless to scare the group.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} You are correct, I will keep my opinions to myself… and be hopeful, just like you. Perhaps that is the way forward.

 

 

I sure hope it is… Huh, the irony of hoping that hope is the right thing to do… That is quite the paradox… yet I won’t change my mind, Fukami raises a fair point, but we will be stronger than that… All of us.

 

Kôzuke: Wait a second please, Fukami when you say that we need to find a way out… do you think tha-

 

*CRASH*

 

That… that came from the stage, what the hell happened? With all this discussion I stopped paying attention to what was going on on stage. I can hear faint screams… What the hell?

 

Kôzuke: {Scared} Guys… W-what what the heck was that loud noise…?

 

Fukami: I… I do not know… We should go verify that everything is fine and that no one is harmed…

 

Yes… we definitely should… and quickly!

 

Hayato: Kôzuke! Let’s go. Fukami, why don’t you stay here, just in case something tech related can be done.

 

Fukami: What is it that you mean Seiki-san?

 

Hayato: I-I don’t know… lights or something, just… just trust me please!

 

I don’t know why I’m so insistent on her staying but… I have a hunch… I’ve seen how clumsy she can be in stressful situations, she tends to easily trip and fall… Right now’s not the time and I feel like she could help better from right here.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} I shall trust you then Seiki-san… Now go quick!

 

Hayato: Kôzuke, come with me!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} Y-yes… yes man, wait for me!

 

{Move to Rooftop Area}

 

I ran through the curtain expecting the worst… but what I saw was definitely not what I expected… The stage… it was…

 

{Camera shows the stage collapsed, with Yoshi trapped under some rubble}

 

Jessie: {Scared} Yoshi-kun! Are you okay?

 

Kenji: What the fuck happened to the stage?

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} That’s why I never work for small production companies…

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyahhhh, Y-Yoshi!

 

What the hell?

 

Hikari: Hayato! You’re there, we… we have to help him!

 

Hayato: Hikari! Tell me what happened!

 

Hikari: {Tearing up} He was in the middle of a trick on the trapeze and the top of the stage just fell… on him!

 

God… that can’t be good! We’ve got to get him out of there asap!

 

Kenji: I’ll help you get the rubble off him! Just pull him out of there quickly!

 

We ran towards Yoshi… who… who wasn’t moving, no it can’t be… he can’t be… Not after all this, not now!

 

There was an enormous piece of wood on top of him, meaning he couldn’t get up even if he wanted to. His long hair was covering his face, meaning I couldn’t see… if he was alive.

 

It was an absolute mess, Oriana and Jessie were crying loudly… and with the now creepy sounding circus music still playing, I could almost not hear a thing. Why is the music still playing? I don’t understand.

 

Kenji: {Furious} I’ll get this fucking thing off him alright? You guys pull him out, on my signal.

 

Hikari gave me a hesitant look, we have to do this now, we have no time for hesitation.

 

Kenji: Three… two… one! now…

 

And with a roar… he lifted the wooden plank, his big biceps seemingly close to bursting due to it’s excessive weight.

 

Kenji: ARGHHHHH, FUCKING… HURRY!

 

Hikari and I did as fast as we could, and pulled Yoshi out of this wooden trap. As soon as he was out, Kenji let the plank go and fell on his knees, visibly out of breath.

 

Hikari: Yoshi! Yoshi, are you alright?

 

My instant reflex to put my fingers on his wrist… a pulse. Thank god. He’s alive… that’s the first thing that matters.

 

Yoshi: I’m… I’m… what happened?

 

Hikari: Oh my god he’s okay!

 

Hikari instinctively got down and hugged him, a wave of relief traversed the rooftop… Yoshi’s okay… he’s okay.

 

Yoshi: I’ve gotta… get back… the show ain’t… over. {Looks at stage} Nononono, that ain’t possible.

 

Yoshi was visibly pained to see he couldn’t continue, with the stage broken as it was… the show could definitely not go on.

 

Hikari: I… I’ll take care of him, it’s okay… It’s okay everybody!

 

We can’t be sure he’s not severely injured just yet… But at least he’s alive… that’s all that matters. I… I actually thought he could be dead for a second, after everything we said about keeping each other alive, such a… dumb accident, it would have been… truly awful.

 

Kôzuke: Um, Hayato man, maybe we should go get Fukami now that we know he’s okay, she must be worried shitless!

 

That’s right, I forgot about her, in fact she probably kept the music on just in case the crashing sound was part of the show…

 

Hayato: You’re right let’s go tell her that everything is okay, she deserves to know!

 

Kôzuke: {Relieved} That’s… that’s right man, everything is-

 

*CRASH*

 

What the hell… That was almost louder than the first one but it came from downstairs… The gym maybe? What could have made this loud of a sound? we should… go check it out!

 

Oriana: Kyahhh!!!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Fucking again?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} What… What was that man? Didn't it come from the… the gym?

 

Hayato: I think it did… We should let the others take care of Yoshi and… see what happened. It’ll be fine…

 

Deep down… I knew it was unlikely that it’d be fine, we were lucky with Yoshi… Could we get lucky a second time?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Should we still go get Fukami man ?

 

We don't really have the time but… She must be so confused, we’ve gotta keep her up to date… It wouldn't be fair for her otherwise…

 

Hayato: Let’s go get her, she can come see what happened with us, we have to hurry though!

 

Kôzuke: O-okay, let’s go

 

{Move to Backstage Area}

 

Hayato: Fukami, come with us quick!

 

Fukami: Seiki-san!

 

Before I even entered the room I was already shouting orders, probably under the influence of stress… I want to know what the hell happened downstairs!

 

Kôzuke: Hurry man, we don't have time to stay idle!

 

Fukami: I’m… I’m coming, wait a seco- KYAAH!

 

I did say she was clumsy only a few minutes earlier… I guess this is me jinxing it.! As soon as she saw Kôzuke and I she started running towards us and… she tripped and fell right in the swimming pool with a huge splash… I knew the pool in the middle of the room was a bad idea but now? Out of all times?

 

Kôzuke: Fukami? What are you doing we don't have time to mess around!

 

Fukami: {Angry} I’m confused… and s-sorry… I must have slipped… something was slippery on the floor… I swear… Damnit it’s cold…

 

That's the first time I hear her swear… She looks very embarrassed and angry at herself… It's not the first time stuff like this happens, she really is clumsy… Anyways we don't have time to lose…

 

Hayato: Kôzuke , grab a towel from the rack over there, let's get her out of there and go!

 

Kôzuke: I'm on it!

 

He threw the towel to Fukami who grabbed it and wrapped it around her shoulders.

 

Hayato: Take my hand, let's go!

 

She took it and I got her out of the pool. She was soaking wet but we don't have time to wait around.

 

Fukami: Thank you Seiki-san, I am profoundly sorry for my clumsiness…

 

Hayato: Don't worry about it, let's just go! I'll catch you up on what happened when we’re there!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Come on man, what are we waiting for?

 

Let's go, quick!

 

{Move to Rooftop Area}

 

Back in front of the stage, everybody was in a circle around Yoshi who seemed to be a lot less pale… He’ll be alright, that's a good news.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato! What happened? What was that second loud noise!?

 

Hayato: We’re going to check it out right now! It came from the gym I think.

 

Hikari: I’ll come with you guys, let’s hurry please! What if something bad happened?

 

God please… I pray nothing that bad happened…

 

Hikari: {Surprised} Fukami, why are you wet?

 

Fukami: It is… a story for another time sorry,{Stoic} I have a bad feeling about this and... I need to clear this doubt in my head…

 

Fukami left running down the stairs

 

Kôzuke: W-wait for me!

 

Hikari: Let’s go Hayato!

 

Kenji: I also heard that crashing sound… even though the others seem to only have fucking ears for Yoshi… What could it be…?

 

Hayato: We’re going there now Kenji, we’ll keep you informed!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Very well, I will gather Reijiro and those who weren't here, everybody should be kept to date!

 

Hayato: Perfect, Meet us there!

 

Argh, Kenji’s right, the others are too worried about Yoshi to realize something else might be wrong, we’ve gotta check the gym out… For all of us!

 

{Move to First Floor}

 

{Move to Gym}

 

I don't have 20-20 vision… In fact my eyesight isn't the best from a far, so when I entered the gym… All I saw at the other extremity were shapes and colors… One colour did dominate… red… crimson red.

 

It all happened so fast, but as Kôzuke, Hikari and I entered the gym and started running towards what we thought we were seeing… I slipped in a sort of induced trance. Perfect silence...

 

Then one by one my senses started coming back to me. I saw Fukami kneeling down next to something… or someone… My nose picked up on a very typical smell that I didn't instantly recognize… the smell of blood. I heard… I heard my friends screaming.

 

Fukami: {Panicked} How… How could this happen?

 

Kôzuke: {Crying} N-no way man… Who… Who the hell did this?

 

Hikari: NOOOOOOOOOO… No no no, please no! Not now, Not…

 

I was finally close enough to be sure my eyes weren't deceiving me… and when Fukami flipped the body over to check its pulse, all the doubts were gone, I was really seeing it… The worst possible scenario… had happened.

 

{Camera zooms in to show an arm floating in a pool of blood, it then shows the bloody mess that used to be the victim’s head and a bent-in candlestick covered in blood laying next to the body. His usual white hair turned completely red and his bandana a couple of feet away, the camera finally zooms out to show the body of Kyia Taro}

 

Kyia Taro, the Ultimate Parkour Artist, was dead.

 

The moment this thought crossed my mind, my world fell apart.

 

The killing game… had already begun.

 

Notes:

And we have our very first casualty of the killing game! Hopefully this caught some of you off guard!
Feel free to leave theories on who you think did it, reactions, feedback or anything you feel like telling me in the comments, it does means a lot to me.

The investigation will hopefully come out soon-ish as I will have a bit more time to write.

Thank you again for reading my story, i’ll see you in the next chapter :)

Chapter 8: Chapter 1 : Trusting is Letting Go : Deadly Life

Notes:

As promised, here is the investigation, hope you’ll enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

Monokuma: Attention ye bastards: A body has been discovered, all surviving residents are kindly demanded to head to the gymnasium. Following a brief time for investigation, the class trial will finally begin!

 

I fell to my knees as I stared at the body of my friend… Kyia, the guy who everybody liked, the guy who we knew we could trust… The guy who brought us all together, why… Why him? Who would want him dead of all people? He’s the one who told me to trust everyone… But now I realise that he was wrong, someone here betrayed us… One of us is a murderer… I held my face between my hands, resisting the urge to throw up as the nauseating smell of his already decaying corpse filled the room.

 

Fukami: {Holding head with hands} Taro-san… I do not understand…

 

Kôzuke: {Horrified} I think I'm gonna be sick man! Is he really… really dead?

 

Fukami: I am… afraid it is the case, Taro-san is very much dead.

 

Hikari: {Crying} Kyia… why… why you?

 

She crumbled on top of his body, holding him tightly and crying all the tears she could possibly hold in her.

 

Hikari and Kyia were close… I can't imagine how it feels for her, he was stripped away from all of us… I still can't fathom who’d be capable of taking a life… taking his life.

 

Kenji: {Furious} What the fuck happened? what was with that announcement?

 

Reijiro: Explain to me at once what has occurred!

 

As they got closer both of them saw the body and had… similar reactions to ours.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} It can not be, he is not dead is he? It is not true, did I… fail as a leader?

 

Kenji: {Ripping at shirt} ARGHHHHH, NO FUCKING...! WHO THE FUCK DID THIS TO HIM? BRING THEM TO ME SO THAT I FUCK THEM UP AND AVENGE HIM, WHO DID IT HUH? I WANT A FUCKING NAME!

 

Hayato: Kenji… Calm down please, we don't know who did it yet… he was like this when we arrived here.

 

Kenji: DON'T YOU FUCKING TELL ME TO CALM DOWN, DON’T YOU GET IT? KYIA’S FUCKING DEAD! HE’S GONE, WE’LL NEVER SEE HIM AGAIN FOR FUCK’S SAKE, {Wiping away tears} DO YOU NOT GET THAT?

 

Reijiro: There… There is no point in screaming… this is my fault, I have failed in protecting the group.

 

Kenji: {Furious} SHUT THE FUCK UP, THIS IS THE FAULT OF THE MOTHERFUCKER WHO KILLED HIM!

 

Reijiro: We shall… Just wait until everyone is here, we will figure out what to do then…

 

What does he mean, what to do? There’s nothing we can do… He’s dead, he’s gone, we’ll never see him again! What the hell can we do!?

 

 

We waited in silence a couple minutes while the rest of the group gradually arrived to the gym to find the body of our former friend…

 

Fusume: No… I should have seen it coming… {Sad} I was… too weak.

 

Jessie: Kyia-kun!!! Kyia-kun… Wake up!!! Wake up! {Cries} please…

 

Yoko: {Terrified} AHHH, a… body?! But why?

 

Shinto: Don't look honey… Don't look {tearing up} it’ll be alright.

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} Pfffff, that… That's not a body double is it? {Scared} Why is he… dead?

 

Yoshi: {Angry} After the attempt of my own life… one of us has… killed? That ain't possible!

 

Oriana: {Crying} KYAHHHHH! Is t-that b-blood? Kyia… H-he… {Faints}

 

Jessie: Oriana-chan! Get up, now’s not the time!

 

As expected the only one who seemed unphased was Raiko who nonchalantly walked over to the body

 

Raiko: {twirls hair} Huh, who ever killed him didn't go gently, {Evil smirk} his head is completely fucked…

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} Do you not even care? One of us is dead and you just… smile? How could you?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} hehehe, you should see the look on your faces right now! How are you all surprised? I told you from day one that it would happen. This is a KILLING game, do you know what that means?

 

Hayato: Raiko…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} How can you... say such evil things, this is no game!

 

Raiko: Of course it's a game! Kyia was the poor guy who bit the bullet first… But trust me he won't be the last! Only the best will survive this… {Confident} And I be will among them, hehehe!

 

How can she… Be so confident about herself like that? Our friend just died and… now if we don't figure out who did this to him, we’re all joining him… The only way to justify her ego right now would be…could she already know who did this?

 

Kenji: {Wiping away tears} You… you fucking bitch, did you do this? You killed him didn't you? You’re the only one here capable of doing something like this, {Furious} It's gotta be you!

 

Raiko: {Evil smirk} Aw Kenji, your stupidity has become somewhat endearing by now!

 

Kenji: {Furious} What the fuck did you…?

 

Raiko: You were guarding the door that lead down stairs weren't you?

 

Kenji: Yes but…

 

Raiko: Then riddle me this, how would I have gotten all the way down to the gym and back up without you noticing?

 

Kenji:  That's… No, I don't think I saw her but…

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} My point exactly, That door is the only way down from the roof is it not?

 

Reijiro: {Opens book} My study of the maps does show-

 

Raiko: {Lights cigarette} Perfect, then my sweet sweet Kenji provides me with a perfect alibi, {Takes a hit} thanks my love!

 

Kenji: You bitch you… you set me up!

 

Raiko: {Evil Smirk} In fact, good news for eleven of you, everyone who was at the show has a perfect alibi now, following the same logic. {Takes a hit} You’re welcome!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Wait, what are you saying?

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} This would result in saying the killer has to be… Could she be correct in her assumption?

 

Yoko: It would make sense…

 

Rina: {Sips on coffeee} Well, I know I didn't do it, a celeb like me would never get her hands dirty like that.

 

But wait… Is Raiko saying that it's…? I don't understand, what is she trying to achieve?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Wait, Raiko are you saying you know who the killer is?

 

Raiko: {Evil smart} Maybe I do, maybe I don't… Who knows hehe, don't want to ruin our fun at the trial!

 

Shinto: What do you mean fun? {Bites hat} Our lives are on the line damnit!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Fucking tell us what you know right now you bitch!

 

Monokuma: Hey hey hey, why don't you guys keep the arguing for the class trial? Now’s the time for investigating!

 

Kenji: The fuck do you mean investigation? Do I look like fucking Miss Marple to you?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Kenji’s right, what do we know about investigating? Like, what are we even supposed to do?

 

Monokuma: That’s your job to figure out, not mine, but if you bastards want a shot at surviving the class trial,{Red eye glowing} you better hurry up and start collecting clues!

 

Jessie: Did you… do this to Kyia-kun?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Of course not upupu, I’d never interfere with this game, nope the killer is definitely one of you! How exciting!

 

Hayato: But what are we supposed to do? You do realise none of us know how to investigate a murder right?

 

Monokuma: {Belly Laugh} Upupu, I don't care, this is for your sake really, all I want is a fun trial but if you’ve got nothing, a nice group execution will do the trick nicely!

 

Reijiro: Hold on,

 

Monokuma: Nope, I've got nothing else to say to y’all now get to work!

 

And just like that he vanished…

 

Jessie: So… are we supposed to just accept that Kyia-kun is tot and investigate like he was just anyone…? {Sad} how horrible!

 

Yoko: That Kyia is what?

 

Reijiro: {Opens book} Dead, tot means dead in German…

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyahhhh! I hate that word!

 

Kenji: Do you mind stopping your fucking translations and tell me what I'm supposed to do now?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I'm afraid that Yoko and I are just as confused...

 

Kôzuke: How are we supposed to handle this man?

 

Here we were, completely lost. How could we do know what to do? We’re still kids, we're not the police, investigating murders is definitely out of our skill set… And yet, instead of mourning the death of our friend, we have to start throwing fingers at each other on who did this to him… That's our only way to survive.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, it appears we have no choice but to do our best… I shall propose the following-

 

Monokuma: {Out of nowhere} Guess who’s back! Itsa me!

 

Oriana: {Cries} KYAAH! He’s b-back!? But h-he left l-less than a minute a-ago.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} What do you want now Monokuma, I thought you said you had nothing else to say.

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Well, I am a sensitive bear and when I heard y'all whining about not knowing how to handle the investigation, I thought I'd help a little bit!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Is that so?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} No dummy, I don’t care if you struggle! I just forgot to give you the Monokuma File! A crucial aspect of any good killing game!

 

Rina: The what now?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} The Monokuma File of course! It's nifty little document that gives you some technical information on the cause of death and the state of the body, stuff you lot wouldn't figure out by yourselves, and guess what, it's already in your resident IDs! You’re welcome!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Am I correct in assuming this is an autopsy report of sorts?

 

Monokuma: Yeah, kind of… But it's got my name in front of it which makes it about a quadrillion times cooler!

 

Hayato: But wait a second Monokuma…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Nope! I'm done listening upupu, good luck to all of you!! Trust me you’ll need it… {Vanishes}

 

 

Reijiro: Well… This is better than nothing, even I don't have enough knowledge to practice an autopsy… This might help us in our investigation…

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} But… How do we know we can trust Monokuma, the info in the file might be completely wrong!

 

Hayato: I don’t think we have much of a choice but to trust him. It's not like we can afford to disregard his autopsy.

 

Fusume: {Chin resting on hand} I have some training in post-mortem examination… I shall stay here and examine the body. I will inform the group of any discrepancies I come across.

 

Reijiro: This sounds like a fair idea to me. {Smug} Now, we do not know how long we have, hence, we should make the most of the time we have. I propose we all do our best to investigate this murder.

 

Hikari: Who are you to speak?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I beg your pardon

 

Hikari: {Angry} I asked who the fuck you think you are?

 

Since when does Hikari swear? What’s up with her, she has a look of sheer… hatred on her face…

 

Hayato: Hikari, w-what’s wrong?

 

Hikari: Shut up. I… I want to know… {Maniacal} Which of you three did it?

 

What?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What are you implying?

 

Hikari: Raiko’s right, none of those who attended the show could have gone down to the gym to kill Kyia. So I'll ask again: Which of you three fucking did it?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Fusume: {Dark look} …

 

Tadao: {Sombre} …

 

Raiko: {Giggles} hehe, I told you so did I not? All of us have alibis but you three. I guess I just made the investigation a lot easier for all of you right?

 

Kenji: {Raised Eyebrow} I know for a fact nobody went past me so… She’s gotta be right!

 

Shinto: Is it really is one of them?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I d-don't want t-to doubt m-my friends!

 

Fukami: Sadly… It does seem there is no alternative to Itake-san’s proposed outcome…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph, I see.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Are you all… against us now?

 

Hikari: {Maniacal} Just tell me which of you three did it? Which of you took Kyia from me huh? WHICH ONE OF YOU DID THIS TO ME?

 

This is… what Raiko was trying to do, split us apart. I should have known, the group is divided now, and Hikari is close to breaking point… God damn it, Raiko got exactly what she wanted.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} C’mon, we want an answer, which of you is the killer huh?

 

 

Fusume: I will… I will not stand for these accusations while… while I stood guard to protect the group… That is the only reason I failed to attend the show.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Is that so? Were you really doing that or were you maybe… killing Kyia?

 

Fusume would never… Why is Raiko doing this? Why is she playing with Hikari like this. I just don't get it.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} …

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} What's wrong? Cat’s got your tongue? Or is it just the guilt of murder coming back to haunt you?

 

Fusume: I… will not take this…

 

Fusume ran out of the gym.

 

Raiko: Ha! What about you Tadao? Will you be less of a coward and accept the consequences of your crimes?

 

Now she’s changed target? She’s just torturing them! Why is no one intervening? Everybody’s just standing there, in awe. This is what Raiko is capable of doing… I can't move… Why can't I protect my friends? Why…?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} … {Points at armband} I have nothing to say.

 

Tadao also left the room…

 

 

By the look on Hikari’s face, I think she’s starting to realise what Raiko is trying to do, if she splits the group like this, all it’s gonna do is raise tension and make this even harder for us…

 

Raiko: And… that leaves us with the one and only Reijiro, {Evil smile} Have you got something to say or will you just flee like the other two did?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} As a matter of fact, I do want to say something.

 

Raiko: C’mon {Twirls hair} no need to make us wait for it!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Very well, as opposed to Fusume and Tadao, I am fully aware of your reasons for accusing me. It does make the most logical sense for one of us three to be the killer. However, I do know for a fact that I am innocent of said crime, therefore, I believe the only thing I can do now is investigate in order to prove to all of you that you are mistaken.

 

Raiko: Eh, that is slightly better than the other two but I’m still not convinced, {Giggles} I hope it’s clear that you’re not off the hook just yet.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Of course, I do not expect to have my name cleared until I can back it up with evidence, this will, of course, come in the foreseeable future. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some investigating to do, in fact we all do, I advise you all stop wasting time pointing fingers and get to it. {Smug} Now if you’ll excuse me.

 

And now, Reijiro was gone.

 

Raiko: hehehe, and that’s number three.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I just can’t believe one of us did this man…

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Tch, one of us… more like one of them!

 

Hayato: But wait, can we really be sure they are the only suspects before having done any type of investigating?

 

Rina: duh, {Sips on coffee} Who else do you want us to suspect, thanks to Kenji we all have holeproof alibis.

 

Kenji: That’s right, I can guarantee that nobody went past me, there was no way for anyone to go unnoticed!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself}  Hold on, how do we know that you didn’t go through that door Kenji?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Are you fucking accusing me now? Grrr, someone would have seen me if I had left!

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Hmm, can anybody prove that though.

 

Hayato: Hikari probably could, if she filmed the whole show then we should be able to see Kenji on the recording.

 

Kenji: That’s right, {Cracking fists} I was standing right next to the stage after all, Hikari can prove it! Right?

 

Hikari: {Maniacal} I… I…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Right… she’s still a bit freaked out, but anyways, knowing all this, it’s definitely gotta be one of them three!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} We just… can’t know which one of them did it.

Oriana: {Cries} I d-don’t want to doubt m-my friends!

 

Raiko {Evil smile} I wouldn’t put my trust in any of them if I were you Oriana, one of them definitely killed Kyia after all. {Twirls hair} Reijiro does have a point however, we should get on with the investigation. Good luck everyone hehehehe.

 

Kôzuke: Alright man, I’ll do my best!

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} M-me too, even t-though I don’t know how I’ll… um b-be much h-help.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Guess we don’t have much of a choice do we…

 

Shinto: Let’s do this together!

 

A wave of approbation went through the room, and the group started scattering around in search for clues. After everyone had gone, I was left alone with Hikari… This is going to be awkward isn’t it?

 

Hikari: {Sad} What… what have I done?

 

I need to be reassuring, there’s no point in being mad at her outbursts.

 

Hayato: This… this wasn’t your fault, Raiko used you because she knew you were affected by Kyia’s death.

 

Hikari: I just blamed it all on them… even though at the end of the day it’s… it’s my fault.

 

What?

 

Hikari: If only I’d gone and talked to him when he needed me… he’d still be there, I’m sure he would have been.

 

It’s true that she did take the decision to let him handle his problems alone earlier today.

 

{Flashback}

 

Hikari: The rest of you, back to your jobs if you will. Kyia will join us when he decides to act normal again.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Should you not go to talk to him maybe? It worked well last time…

 

Hikari: {Sad} No. This time he’s got to make the move to us. He is one of the leaders of the group, is he not? This is his responsibility.

 

Shinto: Ah, fair enough.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hikari: {Cries} That was the last time I saw him, angry… and violent. That’s not the Kyia I knew… He needed my help… and I just ignored it. {Maniacal} This is all my fault!

 

Hayato: Hikari stop this!

 

Hikari: {Surprised} Huh?

 

Hayato: We should have gone and helped him… all of us. Clearly he wasn’t well. But… but this isn’t what killed him. One of us did. One of our friends… is a murderer. This is who we should blame. Not ourselves.

 

Hikari: {Cries} B-but… but.

 

Hayato: There are no buts! No, our actions weren't perfect but we couldn’t have known, we’ll reflect on all of it when this is over, but first, we have to figure out who did this so why don’t you pull yourself together and help me solve this mess!

 

That might have been… a tad excessive but she needs it.

 

 

Hikari: You… you’re right! I… I know I wronged him, {Passionate stance} But the only way I can redeem myself is by finding out who did this to him!

 

Precisely!

 

Hikari: Thank you Hayato for the wake up call… Let’s do this! {Shocked} Wait, do we have any idea how to investigate a murder?

 

Hayato: Not first hand no… but I did a lot of research on police work for my novels… I’ll just try to get inspired.

 

Hikari: Let’s do that then!

 

My works of fiction are surely very far from our reality but it’s better than nothing… I guess I do have some sort of experience compared to the others here thanks to that. Let’s put it to profit.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Alright… where do we begin?

 

{Investigation Starts} 

 

Hayato: I guess the first thing we should do is read the Monokuma File and see what it can tell us.

 

Hikari: {Flips notebook} Sure, that seems like a good idea.

 

{Camera shows the Monokuma file displayed on Hayato’s resident ID}

 

Monokuma File :

 

The victim is Kyia Taro, the Ultimate Parkour Artist. The body was discovered in the gym. The estimated time of death lies between 8:00 and 9:00 PM. The cause of death was internal bleeding after severe blunt trauma to his skull with, it should be noted that there are signs of two different blows. Death was immediate. Other minor injuries include a deep cut on his arm and circular burns on his lower legs. No traces of poison were discovered in his blood.

 

Hayato: Huh, so he died when someone hit him on the head… that would explain the amount of blood…

 

Hikari: {Sad} I still can’t believe that one of us would do such a thing… it’s so horrible!

 

Hayato: Yeah tell me about it… we should take note of all this information, I’m especially intrigued by the two minor injuries listed… I wonder what could have caused the cuts and the burns, it seems odd.

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera lense} Well… if it’s in this file, it’s probably of some importance, we’ll eventually figure out what this all means!

 

I sure hope we will… This is definitely more complicated than in my books. Anyways, I should start taking mental notes of the information I gather tonight!

 

{MONOKUMA FILE #1 added to truth bullets}

 

{Examine Kyia’s Body}

 

This… this is the first time I see a dead body. I have described so many bodies in my novels and done a lot of research, that doesn’t mean I was ready to see my friend in such a state…

 

Hikari: Are you okay Hayato? You look a bit pale…

 

Hayato: I’m fine… let’s just not spend too long focused on the body, this amount of blood is making me squeamish.

 

Hikari: I second that… we’ll do it as quickly as we can. {Passionate stance} It is necessary though, the Monokuma file might have left out some important stuff!

 

Argh, I guess we really have to look at his body more in depth… Let’s get it over with.

 

{Examine Head}

 

His head… was nothing but a bloody mess, his skull looked almost bent in by the force of the hit and his white hair was stained in an almost brown type of colour...

 

Hikari: {Sad} Poor Kyia… Raiko was right in saying that whoever did this didn’t go gently… He was hit with great strength.

 

That’s right, I didn’t know it was possible to injure someone so violently… The killer definitely had to be quite strong to deliver such a blow.

 

Hayato: I’m afraid his head won’t really teach us anything the Monokuma File didn’t already tell us…

 

Hikari: {Flips through note} Well, actually don’t you think that something is missing?

 

Missing? As a matter of fact it’s true that there is something odd about his head now that I think about it…

 

Hikari: Where could it be? That thing…

 

I think I saw it not too far from the body, I should check it out next.

 

{Examine Bandana}

 

Hikari: Here it is… I knew something was off! He isn’t wearing his signature bandana!

 

It’s true, his bandana laid on the floor a couple of feet away from the pool of blood. I grew so accustomed to seeing him wearing it that it did strike as odd.

 

Hikari: {Surprised} Wait… isn’t something a bit weird here? Look at the colour, doesn’t it seem a lot darker than usual?

 

Hmm, now that she mentions it… the colour does seem slightly unnatural.

 

Hayato: Let me look at it closer…

 

Ew, why is it wet? Oh my gosh… it’s covered in blood! That’s why it’s such an unusual colour.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Is that… blood all over it?

 

Hayato: Yeah, it does appear that way.

 

Hikari: Isn’t it strange though?

 

Huh?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I mean… it wasn’t in the pool of blood, nor on his head… so why is it so bloody?

 

Hayato: Well, I guess it would mean someone moved it… from his head to where we found it, I don’t quite know why someone would do that though.

 

Hikari: Or… or maybe he was wearing it when he got hit and it fell.

 

That’s also a possibility…

 

Hayato: Could be… nice intuition Hikari!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Journalism and investigation aren't that unrelated after all I guess! {Flips through notes} In other new, I think we should wash the blood away, maybe the bandana will show us something else.

 

Yeah, I can’t put my finger on what, but something is still strange about that bandana.

 

 

We headed to the sink at the entrance of the gym and to our surprise when we started washing it…

 

Hayato: What the…

 

Hikari: {Surprised} The colour under the blood… it’s not red, it’s yellow!

 

Hayato: That’s definitely not the bandana he wore everyday… I wonder why he decided to change.

 

Hikari: He did seem attached to the red one, It does seem weird for him to change it just like that. {Flips through notes} Hmm, so many mysteries around one piece of clothing!

 

Hayato: I’m sure there is a logical explanation, let’s go back to the body, I don’t think we’re finished examining it.

 

Hikari: Let’s do that.

 

{BLOODY BANDANA added to truth bullets}

 

{Examine Arm}

 

Hayato: Once again, the Monokuma File doesn’t lie, there is a very nasty looking cut on his right wrist.

 

Hikari: {Sad} It looks like it hasn't healed at all, which means it was recent.

 

Hayato: I don’t believe in coincidences, this has got to be the killer’s doing!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Look at you acting like a real detective now! I thought you said you were squeamish!

 

Hayato: I’m trying my best not to be… alright let’s move on, we’ve already got record of this injury in the Monokuma File.

 

“I don’t believe in coincidences” sounded badass in my head alright! Note to self, let’s not start cool catchphrases while investigating a murder!

 

{Examine Fanny Pack}

 

Kyia’s fanny pack is still on his body, so that means his bandana fell off, but his fanny pack stayed on… interesting.

 

Hikari: ACHOOOO!

 

Hayato: Argh! What was that for?

 

I almost had a heart attack again…

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Sorry... my nose was itchy!

 

Hayato: Please just… try to warn me before you do that next time, that was terrifying.

 

Hikari: Ugh, sorry!

 

Hayato: Now that I think about it… the air does feel kind of heavy around here.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} That’s probably because of all the powder on Kyia’s body.

 

Powder? Huh, I was so concentrated on Kyia’s head and his injuries that I didn’t notice that there was white powder all over his torso and lower body…

 

Hayato: That powder… he told me about it when I met him…

 

{Flashback}

 

Hayato: So tell me about parkour. What is it you do?

 

Kyia: {Deep in though} Hmmm, great question {Searches fanny pack}

well… {Claps with powder} I use this chalk powder to avoid slipping and I just roll with it. No method, I just freestyle and see what happens. {Big smile} I just love feeling like there is no boundary, and no obstacle I can’t overcome.

 

He’s really passionate about what he’s saying, even though he is blabbering a little. I am gonna start getting asthma attacks if he doesn’t stop putting this powder everywhere though…

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hikari: He used it to fight friction when he did parkour, he stored it in his fanny pack, clearly it must have opened up in the struggle, that’s why it’s all over his body.

 

Hayato: That must mean that… hmm, maybe the killer also got covered in powder!

 

Hikari: {Sad}  But nobody fits that description… we would have noticed it when we saw them just then.

It is strange, the only possible explanation would be that the killer had time to get changed… but it only took us a couple minutes to round up everyone so that seems unlikely. So how did the killer avoid getting stained?

 

{KYIA’S CHALK POWDER added to truth bullets}

 

{Talk to Fusume}

 

Hayato: Hi there Fusume, did you have the opportunity to examine the body?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Indeed, but unfortunately it has all been for naught.

 

Hikari: {Surprised} What do you mean?

 

Fusume: All I have managed to do is confirm what is inscribed in the Monokuma File, I have not learnt anything new, {Hurt} Nor anything to prove my innocence.

 

Fusume was definitely hurt when Raiko started accusing her. I can understand her determination to find a solid piece of evidence to bring her off the hook.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I am surprised that you are even talking to me Hikari, I thought I was on your main suspects list…

 

Hikari: {Sad} Raiko manipulated me… I overreacted and I am deeply sorry Fusume, I have since realised that the only forward is to trust each other… {Smiles} it’s innocent until proven guilty right?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} I guess.

 

Fusume’s clearly holding a grudge against Hikari for the moment, but we cannot really blame her… Hopefully she’ll forgive her as time goes by.

 

Hayato: Anyways, is there anything else you can tell us?

 

Fusume: Hm, I am now convinced by my study of the body that the file does not lie. It can indeed be trusted in its information.

 

Hayato: That’s already a useful thing to know.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} One last thing, the injuries on the head show that there were indeed two strikes, what the file does not tell us however is that one of them was very much stronger than the other, that’s the killing blow.

Hayato: Hm, interesting, could you determine if that one came before or after the weaker one?

 

Fusume: Sadly, that is out of my aptitudes, I would assume it came second but I cannot assure it.

 

Hayato: Okay, that was very helpful, thank you Fusume.

 

Hikari: {Sad} T-thanks…

 

{MONOKUMA FILE #1 has been updated}

 

Fusume: I will return to my work if you will.

 

Hayato: Actually I have one last question

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Speak…

 

Hayato: Well, I just thought… did Monokuma interfere in your preparations for the show in any way? I’m wondering if my group was the only one who got messed with?

 

That son of… he made us lose so much time!

 

{Flashback}

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} upupupupu, how amusing… But… what is this disgusting smell coming from this place. What have you damn teens even been eating?

 

Hayato: You tell me! You’re the one who’s been providing the food here, how the hell did it all rot so quickly?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} It s-smells so… so b-bad…

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} The eye knew it… but why did it not warn me… why, I wonder.

 

Monokuma: {Neutral expression} I have no idea how it turned to shit like that… Oh wait I do upupu!

 

What the hell did that thing do now…

 

Monokuma: I overheard you bastards talking about the organisation of your little party tonight so I thought I’d make it a little bit more annoying for y’all to set it up. Just a bit though. No need to despair about it just yet upupu!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Absolutely disgusting…

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Hm, as a matter of fact he did.

 

He did?

 

Fusume: The bear replaced all the food Kyia had prepared with Monokuma themed snacks… Getting rid of them did make me waste a fair amount of time.

 

So he did mess with her as well… I should remember to ask one person from each group what he did to piss them off, it could be of importance…

 

{MONOKUMA INTERFERENCE added to truth bullets}

 

{Examine Candlestick

 

Hikari: This candlestick is the murder weapon right?

 

Hayato: It does definitely look this way… It’s covered in blood and… seeing by how damaged it is, we can assume it has been used to hit something.

 

Hikari: {Thoughtful} It does seem oddly specific though… like why use a candlestick of all things?

 

Hayato: I wonder… There has to be some reason.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Or… or maybe there is no reason, it might just have been the first blunt object the killer encountered.

 

It’s true… Fusume warned me about this.

 

{Flashback}

 

Fusume: Nonsense! Have you not realised it yet? This resort is filled with opportunities for murder. Just look on the reception desk, there are heavy objects everywhere that are just begging to be used to kill.

 

I guess she has a point. On the desk lie some candlesticks, trophies and lamps that could easily be used to clobber someone on the back of the head. This looks like a freaking clue board.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hikari: Either way, all we need to know is that this is the most probable murder weapon, let’s not waste too much time on it.

 

That seems rather careless but… we have no clue how long we get to investigate so she’s right. Let’s move on.

 

 

Hikari: {Sad}I think that’s all we’ll get from the body… Poor Kyia.

 

Glad that’s over.

 

Hayato: Hikari… let’s see what else we can find in the gym.

 

Hikari: {Sad} … {Shocked} Y-yeah sorry!

 

{Talk to Tadao}

 

Hayato: Hi Tadao, do you mind talking to us for a second?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} …

 

Hayato: Um, did you hear me?

 

Tadao: …

 

Right...

 

Hayato: O-okay, well, we just wanted to ask you-

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} I have no alibi.

 

Did he just… read my mind?

 

Hikari: {Shocked} Was that what you wanted to ask him Hayato?

 

Tadao: I was alone in my room all evening. {Covers mouth with shawl} Nobody can prove it… nobody but…

Oh gee, I wonder what he’s gonna say next… ugh this guy.

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} Nobody but the eye. The eye knows all!

 

I called it! I freaking called it!

 

Hikari: {Sad} I don’t think we’ll get much out of him Hayato, let’s move on!

 

Yup.

 

{Examine Piece of Cloth}

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera lense} Now what is this?

 

She picked up a piece of pink cloth on the floor, it is quite far from Kyia’s body so I wonder if it’s related to the crime...

 

Hikari: Hmm, it is nice cloth but wait… is that blood on it?

 

Hayato: Seems that way…

 

Hikari: {Hands on hips} Can you ever actually confirm anything? I swear, all you’ve done so far is be ambiguous and undecisive, it’s annoying!

 

Wow, sorry mum…

 

Hikari: Ugh, I see how it is… I’ll speak for both of us then… {Shocked} Oh wow Hayato is that blood on this pink piece of cloth? {Impersonating Hayato} Yes my dear Hikari, that is definitely blood, there is not a doubt in my little brain.

 

Hey that sounds nothing like me!

 

Hikari: Not only that, but it seems to have been ripped through, that’s definitely something to be noted. {Impersonating Hayato} Wow, Hikari, not only are you a beautiful person, you’re also such a good investigator!

 

Are you done?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hm, do you think it could be helpful to take a mental note of this piece of cloth? {Impersonating Hayato} Yes absolutely it could be a crucial clue! Now let’s move on to something else shall we!

 

Hayato: Wait a sec-

 

Hikari: {Angry} I said let’s move on!

 

Hayato: Oh… okay then…

 

What the hell was that all for?

 

{PIECE OF CLOTH added to truth bullets}

 

{Talk to Jessie}

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Hey friends!

 

Hayato: Hi Jessie, did you find anything useful around here?

 

Jessie: нет not really, I don’t think I’ll be very useful here… désolé…

 

Guess she won’t…

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Well, can you tell us about anything about what you witnessed this evening?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hm, from the moment the show started I only stayed at my seat, meaning all I could tell you is a list of people I saw during the evening.

 

Hayato: That’s actually really valuable information, it will strengthen these people’s alibis!

 

Jessie: {Thinking} Well, मुझे सोचने दो! That means « let me think » by the way… anyways, um I can say for sure that Oriana-chan and Rina-chan stayed at their seat with me, never got up once.

Raiko-chan was there for most of the show, until she got up to get drinks… Yoshi-kun was on stage all evening, evidemment…

Kenji-kun stayed at the door without budging… and oh, Hikari-chan was right behind me with her camera. I can assure you these people never left my sight!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Thank you Jessie, that was very useful!

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Bitteschön, I’m glad I could help!

 

If what Jessie says is true… then all these people basically have rock-solid alibis. I don’t see why she’d lie to us about it as this can all be confirmed by asking the other people… Alright then, thank you Jessie, this could be super important!

 

{JESSIE’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets}

 

Hikari: {Thoughtful} Hey Hayato… what’s that weird piece of paper on the floor over there?

 

Hayato: Where?

 

Hikari: Right there look, next to the sink!

 

Hayato: Hmm, let me take a look.

 

{Examine “Weird Piece of Paper”}

 

Hikari: So… {Flips through notes} I wonder what this is…

 

Hayato: It looks like some sort of bookmark and… wait! This is…

 

{Camera shows closeup of bookmark which has Reijiro’s face on it}

 

Hikari: {Shocked} Why the hell is Reijiro’s bookmark here of all places?

 

There is no denying this has got to be his, I mean it has his branding and his face on it… The real question is how did it end up here in the gym… It definitely wasn’t here last time I came so… it is odd.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Should we like… confront him about it?

 

Hayato: Maybe we should… actually no. You know what, this makes him even more of a suspect than he was to begin with… maybe we should keep this up our sleeve.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Ooh, sneaky… I like it. Alright let’s keep quiet about this. {Passionate stance} What do you think it means though?

 

Hayato: I don’t know just yet… But the fact he is among the three most suspicious people here to start with doesn’t make this seem too good for him.

 

Hikari: Hey, at least we have a good clue in case we ever need it.

 

That’s right… nobody can say that our investigation has been 100% useless… Reijiro… what does this mean?

 

What did you do…?

 

{BOOKMARK added to truth bullets}

 

Hikari: I think that’s all we are going to get from the gym Hayato, but there are other places which we want to investigate right?

 

Hayato: Right, I can think of a couple of locations we can take a look at…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} What about the rooftop… I mean if the killer isn’t one of those who didn’t attend, we could find some clues up there… y’know since all of us were present.

 

Hayato: Good idea…

 

I still can’t quite imagine how anybody other than Reijiro, Fusume or Tadao could have done this, they’d have to go past Kenji without him seeing them and without being caught by Hikari’s camera… It seems to complicated… But if there is an answer it’s gotta be up there.

 

Hayato: Alright, shall we?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} After you!

 

{Move to First Floor}

 

{Move to Rooftop}

 

Hikari:{Flips through notes}  In fact… I just thought of something else we need to investigate here…

 

Hayato: And that is?

 

Hikari: Well, what if Yoshi’s accident… wasn’t an accident!?

 

Hm, I did think about it too… It’s definitely a possibility.

 

Hikari: I mean, it seems a bit too convenient… for it to happen at the same time that Kyia was killed… It can’t be a coincidence.

 

Hayato: Yeah and…

 

Hikari: {Hands on hips} You don’t believe in coincidences, we know, this isn’t becoming a catchphrase.

 

Hayato: But it sounds cool!

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} No… no it doesn’t.

 

Hayato: Fine then, hater.

 

Hikari: What was that?

 

Hayato: N-nothing… let’s go back to investigating yeah?

 

Hikari: That’s better.

 

{Examine Stage}

 

The stage would be the place to start if we wanted to find out more about the accident but…

 

{Camera shows the destroyed remains of the stage}

 

...in the state it’s at, we really can’t do anything with it.

 

Hikari: {Sad} I’m guessing we can’t really investigate the stage itself can we? Rubble is blocking everything.

 

Hayato: I guess not… but we might as well ask the people around if they know anything.

 

Hikari: Hopefully we’ll get something useful out of them… I still don’t think this was an accident.

 

{Talk to Yoshi}

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Howdy… {Sad} y’all here to be seein’ the pathetic clown who’s name be Yoshi Akeno?

 

Yoshi’s still sad after the accident, I’m guessing it must be tough for him who was so confident before it all started…

 

Hikari: I’m so sorry for what happened Yoshi, it wasn’t your fault…

 

Yoshi: {Sad} I have failed… it’s darn hard to be acceptin’ it… but it be the truth…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Well… to be honest, the entire performance until the accident was probably the best I’d ever seen so… {Smiles} I think it all went pretty well at the end of the day

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} Is dat true?

 

Hikari: One hundred percent the truth.

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Why… why thank you! That finna be what I needed to get my nose out da water!

 

Hikari found just the right words to cheer him up… well done her. He looks a lot more willing to talk now that he’s over the accident. We might even get some info out of him now!

 

Hikari: So Yoshi, did you notice anything strange at any point during the show? Other than… the obvious.

 

Yoshi: Can’t say that I did… it all was to perfection until da accident! Even the transition finna be perfect {Points at Hayato} Well done with that, Broccoli!

 

Is he calling me… broccoli? He’s got weird nicknames but there is no way I’m accepting that… then again now’s not the time. I’ll tell him off after the investigation is over!

 

Hayato: So… because you were on stage the entire time, you don’t really know anything that could be useful to us do you?

 

Yoshi: {Juggling with one hand, thoughtful expression} Umm, actually, The Yosh’ does be knowin’ something!

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Yes?

 

Yoshi: Well, it be slightly embarrassing but… As you probs have noticed Broccoli, The Yosh’ had to be changin’ out in the open, in front of the Yoshi Crew!

 

Hikari: {Shocked} The Yoshi what now?

 

Hayato: He means, Fukami, Kôzuke and I, don’t worry about the name it’s not a definitive thing…

 

Hikari: Right… {Flips through notes} But wait Yoshi, why did you not use the changing rooms in backstage area?

 

Yoshi: {Bows} That finna be the problem ya’ se. The changin’ rooms were busy… The entire bloody show!

 

Busy?

 

Hayato: How did you know that they were busy Yoshi?

 

Yoshi: Simple enough, they be locked from the inside and… {Flustered} The Yosh’ be hearin’ weird noises from inside!

 

Hikari: {Shocked} What sort of weird noises.

 

Yoshi: {Blushes} Um, heavy breathin’ and… moanin’... I’d really rather not be thinkin’ about it now.

 

That’s… weird. Who could it have been in that bathroom I wonder…? I mean, from the alibis given to us by Jessie, I think the answer is pretty obvious but… I’ll restrain myself from making assumption, we should just remember the changing rooms were out of order for now.

 

{YOSHI’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets}

 

{Talk to Rina}

 

Rina: {Annoyed} What do you want?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Hi, Rina, we just have some questions for you.

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} Shame, cuz I have no answers for you, so leave.

 

Hayato: Wait, it won’t take long, we need everyone’s accounts on what happened if we want a chance at solving this!

 

Rina: I don’t care, does it look like a celeb like me has any idea on how to investigate a murder? {Sips on coffee} Didn’t think so either.

 

Hikari: But didn’t you ever have a role in a whodunnit movie? I’m sure you have some expertise!

 

Rina: {Yawns} The hell does that change, I’m sure you’ve written some articles about fashion and you still look dress like a retired librarian. Get out of my face now.

 

Hikari: {Angry} Hey! I don’t dress…

 

Hayato: Leave it Hikari. Can you at least tell us what you did while we were all preparing for the show?

 

Rina: None of your business!

 

Hikari: {Angry} You do realise that hiding that kind of stuff from us makes you seem very suspicious!

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} PFFF, grr, you can’t force me to… {Annoyed} Fine. I was in the workout room for most of the afternoon!

 

Hayato: The workout room? I didn’t think you worked out…

 

Rina: {Yawns} Of course I don’t, I just stayed there cuz it’s the only room in this place with strong AC, sweating will ruin my perfect makeup! Therefore I stayed there from 3:00 to 7:00 PM, right before dinner. That’s it.

 

Typical…

 

Hikari: So that means… you had a full view on the gym entrance right?

 

Rina: Sure… and so what?

 

I see where Hikari is going with this. This could actually be very important.

 

Hayato: Rina tell me… did you see anybody walk into the gym at the time?

 

Rina: Nope, nobody came… I would have noticed, I was right in front of the glass door, where the bench is. I’m certain that nobody came, I know cuz no matter who it was, they would have disrupted me, for sure… Damn the pleb!

 

So nobody entered the gym from 3 to 7 huh, this definitely would tend to incriminate Fusume, Reijiro and Tadao even more, as most of the rest of the group as a solid alibi from dinner onwards… I should keep this in mind.

 

{RINA’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets} 

 

Now that I think of it… There’s something bugging me… I should ask Hikari about it.

 

Hayato: Hikari… I’ve been thinking about something…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} go ahead, ask away.

 

Hayato: Have you looked at the video recording you took of the show yet?

 

Hikari: {Shocked} Oh my… you’re right! With everything that happened, I completely forgot I had it… should we take a look?

 

Hayato: Let’s do it!

 

Hopefully we’ll get something out of the video… I mean if anything happened during the show we’ll be sure of it!

 

 

{Close up on Hikari’s camera}

 

So we started watching the video… and oddly enough… nothing happened. Nothing out of the ordinary at least.

This was just a normal video of the show, with absolutely nothing special happening… After a bit we started to fast forward to the accident and once again, nothing special happened.

It happened exactly how I was told it happened. The state collapsed mid trick by itself, no mystery assailant, no trace of our murderer… nothing helpful at all. At least nothing that jumped out as important.

 

And then the video stopped.

 

Hayato: Well…

 

Hikari: {Sad} What…? Were you expecting to see something?

 

Hayato: Well I don't know… I guess that because I missed the show, I was hoping there’d be… I don’t know some piece of info that’d help us solve this. I guess not though…

 

Hikari: Hmm, I mean yeah, you don’t see the murderer on this video… and the accident definitely only appears to be an accident… but, the video still gives us quite a bit of information!

 

Hayato: Does it?

 

Hikari: {Hands on hips} Of course! Not only can you see Yoshi and Kenji throughout the whole video, you can also see Jessie which means she told us the truth!

 

Hayato: And therefore, all the people who’s alibis she claimed to back up… can’t be the killer either!

 

Hikari: {Proud} Thanks to my video we had just largely reduced the potential murderer pool, I mean, this isn’t absolute proof, but it would tend to indicate that we can trust Jessie!

 

And if that’s the case… I guess this has been helpful! This video serves as a pretty foolproof alibi for a couple people… it also gives a pretty accurate timeline of the events if we ever need that. Well done Hikari! This girl is handling this a lot better than I thought she would…

 

{YOSHI’S SHOW VIDEO added to truth bullets}

 

Hayato: Alright, that’s all we’re gonna get from here!

 

Hikari: Let’s head backstage next, {Smiles} maybe you left some evidence when you were there mister! What a twist it would be, my sidekick being the murderer! How shocking!

 

Hayato: Hey, don’t start accusing me, you know damn well I didn’t do this!

 

Hikari: Of course, of course I’m only teasing you… still we should investigate it just in case, we can’t be too sure!

 

Hayato: O-of course… let’s get going…

 

Hikari: C’mon Hayato, with a smile on your face, let’s do it!

 

I said that she knew damn well… but she doesn’t… I mean I assume she trusts me because we’re investigating together… but  really, I have no proof of my innocence… Nobody really does at the end of the day… Not even Hikari. I want to trust everyone but… this killing game… it’s game of doubt and... deception! I need to be careful…

 

There’s 15 of us here… all of them I considered my friends but now… one of us is a killer. This is why I can’t trust any of them. The only person I can trust is myself right now and I won’t stop until I find who the killer is… for Kyia’s sake!

 

 

Hikari: {Smiling} You coming Hayato?

 

Hayato: Right… I’m h-here!

 

I will find who killed you Kyia. I swear.

 

Hayato: I’m here… {Determined} I’m here Hikari!

 

Notes:

Sorry to split the investigation in two parts but the chapter was getting way too long! Part 2 will be out very soon as I’m almost done writing it!
As usual please submit any theories, predictions and feedback in the comments, it means a lot me!
Thanks for reading and see you in the next one!

Chapter 9: Chapter 1 : Trusting is Letting Go : Deadly Life Part 2

Notes:

I can't express how sorry I am for the delay, it's been almost two months smh. The holidays ended and the final year of the IB kicked in. I just couldn't find the time to finalise the chapter. Either way I'm finally done, hopefully you'll enjoy the second part of the investigation!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

{Move to Backstage Area}

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} So, Where do we start?

 

Hayato: There’s a couple people here I’d like to talk to, we can begin with that.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Ok, I’ll follow your lead.

 

{Talk to Kôzuke}

 

Kôzuke: I still… can’t believe it man. {Worried} There’s no way one of us did this to Kyia... is there? I mean who…? Seriously man!

 

Hayato: It’s hard to tell… but Monokuma is so adamant in telling us one of us is the killer that I guess we kind of have to trust him don’t we?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} I don’t want to trust that thing… I don’t.

 

Hikari: {Sad} I’m sorry Kôzuke… Hm, either way is there anything you can tell us?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} No sorry… I mean nothing that Hayato hasn’t told you yet. I was with him and Fukami all evening man. I have no knowledge of anything that happened outside this room... sorry.

 

Kôzuke’s right, he and I were together for the entire duration of the show… I guess he won’t know anything I don’t know.

 

Kôzuke: {Sad smile} At least there is some good Hayato man… we are each other's alibis right? I mean, I can vouch for your innocence… I hope you can do the same for me…

 

Hayato: Of course, of course… thanks for bringing that up! You’re basically the only person I know for a fact is innocent Kôzuke, I won’t let anyone accuse you!

 

Hikari: {Sad} … The only one?

 

Kôzuke: Thanks man! I’ll also defend you if anyone accuses you, {Grasps medals} I swear!

 

At least I have a solid alibi for the whole evening… I should keep what Kôzuke said in mind, just in case.

 

{KÔZUKE’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets}

 

Hayato: By the way, did Monokuma do anything to interfere with your preparations for the show?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Tell me about it… the jerk disassembled all the tables, it took us so long to put them back together… {Looks to side} Huge pain man, I swear…

 

Hayato: Ok, thank you for your help Kôzuke!

 

There seems to be a recurring theme of Monokuma making the preparations harder for us than they should have been… Classic.

 

{MONOKUMA INTERFERENCE updated}

 

{Talk to Oriana}

 

Oriana: {Cries} There… is n-no way… Kyia… w-why. I want t-to trust everyone…

 

She seems particularly sad by this whole ordeal… I guess it is understandable seeing her usual mental resistance…

 

Hikari: {Sad} Hi Oriana… are you okay?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I… uh I’ll be f-fine… What c-can I do f-for you?

 

Hayato: We were wondering if you could tell us anything about the events of this evening…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Anything at all will be useful!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyahhh! I k-know nothing… I’m u-useless. S-SORRYYY!!!

 

Hikari: {Shocked} It’s okay… don’t worry about it, no need to get upset.

 

I mean… this type of reaction was to be expected from her… Actually, there is something I’d like to ask her about, now that we’re here.

 

Hayato: Oriana, I have one question for you.

 

Oriana: W-what is it?

 

Hayato: If you remember, I saw you earlier this evening…

 

{Flashback}

 

Oriana: Y-Yoshi…

 

There she is… I wonder where she has been all this time…

 

Yoshi: {Ignoring Oriana} Fantastic this show shall be… Out of dis world!

 

Oriana: Yoshi, I… uh have what you asked me…

 

Yoshi: Mere mortels… Y’all ain’t ready!

 

Oriana: Yoshi… P-please…

 

Yoshi: {Poses} FOR THE WORK OF A GOD!

 

He’s too focused on his ego to hear her… Poor Oriana.

 

Oriana: {Cries}  Y-Yoshi!

 

Yoshi: {Startled} Oh you here Music Box? You be bringin’ what I asked?

 

Oriana: Y-yes it’s all on stage

 

Yoshi: Perfect! {Screaming} EVERYBODY, DA BEST SHOW OF YO’ LIVES FINNA BEGIN! GET TO YO’ PLACES!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: What is it that Yoshi asked you to do?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Um, oh… t-that. It was n-nothing important. He n-needed me to get a stool from the uh… l-library. So I did.

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Huh, what would Yoshi need a stool for?

 

Oriana: He w-wanted to repair a light on s-stage I think.

 

Hayato: That makes sense… did you see anyone in the library when you went there?

 

Oriana: N-no… {Bites nail with thoughtful expression} That… t-that I’m sure of! The library w-was totally empty when I w-went.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Thank you Oriana, that’s really useful!

 

Is it really though? The library isn’t the crime scene as far as I’m concerned…

 

Oriana: {Cries} R-really? I w-was useful! {Cute smile} I’m s-so happy.

 

Well, doesn’t hurt to keep this information in mind…

 

{ORIANA’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets}

 

{Talk to Kenji}

 

Kenji: Before you both come and bombard me with questions… I know fuck all ayt? This isn’t what I’m good at!

 

Hikari: Is there nothing you can tell us?

 

Kenji: Nah, I was at the door all evening, I saw nothing but the show… {Cracking fists} Sorry… but I don’t know shit, except that the bastard who did this will pay…

 

Hayato: I guess that this is how it works here… It’s hard to believe that whoever did this will get… executed…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Tch, anyways, there is nothing we can do about it. It’s all written in the rules you see.

 

The rules? What about them?

 

Kenji: I’ve reread them on my Resident ID… {Furious} This fucking bear has planned everything in advance… There is nothing we can do…

 

Hikari: {Sad} Is there… no solution?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} I’d told you both that this would be the outcome… being hopeful is useless… remember that.

 

Cool mindset… Argh, I can’t afford to think like him!

 

{RESIDENT ID RULES added to truth bullets}

 

{Examine Swimming Pool}

 

Hikari: I’m… not sure I understand what this is doing here…

 

Hayato: It was for Yoshi’s final trick apparently, bad placement if you ask me though.

 

Hikari: {Shocked} Oh, is this why Fukami was so wet when I saw her?

Hayato: Right on, apparently there was something slippery on the floor… Then again you know how she is, she falls at the smallest obstacle.

 

Hikari: Well, you can’t blame her for being clumsy I guess…

 

Hayato: Right…

 

{Examine Backstage Window}

 

This window…

 

Hikari: This window gives to the gym right…?

 

Hayato: Yeah…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Then maybe… could the killer have gone down through here?

 

Hayato: It doesn’t seem possible, I mean we are way too high and there is no real way to go down, the only way would be jumping out but… you’d definitely die from the fall…

 

Hikari: Huh, I guess it’s a dead end then. {Sad} Damnit!

 

{Camera shows view from outside the window}

 

Hikari: I can see Kyia’s body from here… Argh I shouldn’t look.

 

Hayato: Wait, Hikari do you see that?

 

Hikari: What?

 

Hayato: Look at the trampoline against the wall right under us, I swear it wasn’t here last time I checked.

 

Hikari: Hey… you’re right. And check it out, there are marks on the floor, right next to that trampoline. That means that somebody moved it right?

 

Hayato: Yeah, I wonder why though…

 

Hikari: Maybe it has got something to do with the murder, let’s keep it in mind.

 

Right.

 

{TRAMPOLINE MARKS added to truth bullets}

 

{Camera goes back to normal}

 

Hikari: {Sad} Even though it’s impossible to use this window to reach the gym… it’s still important to know that there was technically a way from here to the gym that’s not the main door.

 

That’s true, even though I know the window wasn’t used in any way since… well I was right in front of it all evening.

 

{BACKSTAGE WINDOW added to truth bullets}

 

Hikari: {Sweating} That concludes it for this area, let’s go back to the rooftop area… it’s really too hot in here.

 

Hayato: Yup, we can figure out what to do next when we’re there.

 

{Move to Rooftop Area}

 

Shinto: Hikari! Hayato! Yoko and I might have found something important! Come with us to the tent!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} R-really? Ok Hayato, we should go!

 

I wouldn’t have thought to examine any of the tents… let’s see what we can find there I guess…

 

{Move to Drinks Tent}

 

Yoko: {Fanning herself} Huh, here they are…

 

Hikari: So, what is it that you guys found?

 

Shinto: Well… {Plays with cane} It might not be super important but like…

 

Yoko: Remember how Raiko was really insistent about there being no connection between the roof and the gym?

 

Hayato: Yeah…?

 

Shinto: We believe we have have found… {Innocent smile} Another one!

 

Another one?

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} That’s right, look at the ventilation grid on the floor right here…

 

{Camera shows the ventilation grid under a table}

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Surprisingly enough, we are right above the gym right now, so if you remove the grid, look for yourselves, you’ll understand it better.

 

We removed the grid and… here it was! The gym was there, through that small rectangle we could definitely see the shiny gym floor.

 

Yoko: {Proud} Pretty neat huh?

 

 

Hikari: Wait… I mean, yeah it’s a connection but there is absolutely no way it was of use for this murder!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} W-what?

 

Hikari: Don’t you see? This is… this is way too small for anyone to fit through!

 

Yoko: {Shocked} Argh!!

 

Shinto: {Sad} We were so convinced we had been useful…

 

Hayato: N-no wait guys… just because the ventilation grid couldn’t have been used as a way from place to place… it’s still useful to the investigation!

 

Hikari: {Surprised} It is?

 

I mean it could be… either way I don’t want to upset them any more than they already are so…

 

Hayato: {Uncomfortable} Totally, thanks for this guys!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} If you say so…

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} Don’t be surprised when this case is solved thanks to us!

 

Sure...

 

Hayato: Anything else?

 

Shinto: Don’t think so… we’ll hang tight around here in case you need us!

 

Hikari: O-okay… thanks you two.

 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} So… wanna tell me how that was any use at all? There’s no way anybody used the ventilation grid to go down to the gym…

 

Hayato: Even so, every connection helps, we have no idea what happened yet so I don’t want to ignore any piece of evidence.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} As you wish… now that we’re here let’s take a look at the tent… who knows what “BIG” piece of evidence we’ll encounter here!

 

Jokes aside… I’ve got a feeling I should keep all this in mind…

 

{VENTILATION GRID added to truth bullets}

 

{Examine Drinks table}

 

Hikari: So tell me Sherlock, what mind-blowing deductions can you make from this completely unrelated table?

 

Hayato: It’s elementary my dear… wait, something’s weird about the tablecloth here.

 

Hikari: {Shocked} What?

 

Hayato: Just touch it and see for yourself!

 

Hikari: Hmm, {Shocked} Oh! You’re right, it’s like all sticky, {Disgusted} That’s kind of nasty…

 

Hayato: It smells like… soda, I think. But the smell’s not only coming from that tablecloth.

 

Hikari: Oh my! Come here! The floor next to the entrance, it’s also sticky!

 

There is no way that this is a coincidence!

 

Hayato: Let’s see... is there any other place here that has this sticky residue on it?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Well, apart from the drinks table and the ventilation grid, there is nothing of interest here I can think of.

 

The ventilation grid…? Could it be.

 

 

Hayato: Just what I thought…

 

Hikari: What is it?

 

Hayato: The grid is also sticky… this means that the residue has got to do with our case in some way.

 

Hikari: {Thoughtful} How peculiar… huh, you must be right, this is no coincidence, maybe the ventilation grid does have a connection with the murder all things considered…

 

{STICKY AREAS IN TENT added to truth bullets}

 

{Talk to Raiko}

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Hey there sweetie, nice of you to come say hi!

 

Not that I particularly want to spend time with you but…

 

{Flashback}

 

Raiko: {Evil Smirk} In fact, good news for eleven of you, everyone who was at the show has a perfect alibi now, following the same logic. {Takes a hit} You’re welcome!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Wait, what are you saying?

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} This would result in saying the killer has to be… Could she be correct in her assumption?

 

Yoko: It would make sense…

 

Rina: {Sips on coffeee} Well, I know I didn't do it, a celeb like me would never get her hands dirty like that.

 

But wait… Is Raiko saying that it's…? I don't understand, what is she trying to achieve?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Wait, Raiko are you saying you know who the killer is?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Maybe I do, maybe I don't… Who knows hehe, don't want to ruin our fun at the trial!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

She definitely knows something we don’t… that much is obvious.

 

Raiko: {Evil Smile} …

 

But knowing her, she won’t tell us shit… She’s going to keep us begging, that’s the way it’s gonna be

 

Hayato: So… Raiko, would you happen to know anything that might help us?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} hehe, maybe I do… I know a lot of things Hayato… A looooot of things about this case!

 

Hikari: {Shocked} Raiko! Honestly, do you know who did this to Kyia?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} These lips are sealed… sorry. I want to keep my cards close to my chest.

 

Argh… as expected she won’t tell us anything…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} But… what about your alibi huh? What have you been up to tonight?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Simple… you should have seen me Hikari hehe… I was in the crowd right behind you for the duration of the show! Didn’t miss a thing!

 

Hayato: That is until you went to fetch drinks for everyone right?

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Indeed… I got everyone’s orders and came to this here tent. How generous of me was it not?

 

Hmm, hold on! She got the drinks… therefore she probably knows something about the sticky residue in the tent!

 

Hayato: Raiko… about this tent, would you happen to know why some areas in here are sticky by any chance?

 

Raiko: {Blushes} Oh, yes… Let’s say I had… a bit of an accident when pouring the drinks.

 

Hikari: {Shocked} An accident?

 

Raiko: Why… why yes. {Evil grin} I have been… naughty.

 

Please don’t… She’s not gonna pull the same act she did with Kôzuke earlier tonight.

 

 

Hikari: {Uncomfortable} Um, do you want to tell us what the accident was?

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Of course, of course… You see, {Hits on cigarette} As I was serving a drink… that horrible crashing sound startled me and…

 

{Camera shows a bottle of soda falling from Raiko’s hand}

 

Raiko: I dropped a bottle! It made such a mess. {Hits on cigarette} I guess that would explain why the floor around the table is sticky.

 

That’s not a valid reason for the ventilation grid and the door being covered in the same substance though…

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Anyways, this has nothing to do with the murder does it… No harm done, you see I used napkins and wiped it all up before exiting so it’s all good.

 

Hikari: {Shocked} Wait… you cleaned up your mess instead of checking what had caused the crash?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Pff, what else would you expect me to do huh?

 

Hikari: {Angry} I don’t know? You could have looked out and seen if somebody was hurt?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Pff, nothing but a waste of time…

 

I don’t understand her, that’s for sure, She seems to know so much about what happened and yet… she isn’t telling us the full story about what happened in this tent…

 

{STICKY AREAS IN TENT updated}

 

Hikari: Come on let’s get out of here Hayato, I can’t stand her!

 

Hayato: Wait, before we leave there’s one more thing I should ask Raiko.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} What is it my dear? Speak your mind freely!

 

Hayato: We heard from other people that Monokuma interfered with their show preparations… did he do anything to mess with you and Jessie.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} As a matter of fact he did… We left for a couple minutes to find a place to hang the banner and when we came back… Monokuma had completely trashed it with drawings of himself, Jessie was devastated but we managed to make another one in time for the show.

 

So the trend continues… Monokuma has definitely decided to make it hell for us.

 

Hayato: Thank you Raiko.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Good luck with the rest of the investigation, {giggles} you’ll need it hehehe!

 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes}  I think we’ve been to every important place… what should we do now Hayato?

 

Hayato: Hmm, I could use the extra time to think this through… the detectives in my novels usually need some thinking time before they can know for sure what happened.

 

Hikari: Maybe you’re right, let’s…

 

Monokuma: {Appears} HOLD ON!

 

Hikari: {Shocked} Ahh! Don’t scare us like that!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Upupupu, your reaction was beautiful! Anywho, you bastards don’t have time to waste, the trial will begin soon! But because I am such a benevolent director, I have come to inform you that I have unlocked Kyia’s room!

 

Hayato: You… unlocked it?

 

Monokuma: {Neutral expression} That’s what I said, now, you don’t want to get executed because you forgot to visit the victim’s room do you now? That’s all I’m saying!

 

Hikari: Why are you even helping us?

 

Monokuma: Because I do what I want, this is my resort! Now go and investigate, you ain’t got time for brainstorming.

 

Hayato: Wait a second…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Nope, that’s all you’re getting! Toodles! {Disappears}

 

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera lense} I mean… we might as well go see what’s up in his room right…

 

Hayato: I guess so.

 

What is Monokuma up to this time… ugh I don’t have time for this. Let’s just go.

 

{Move to First Floor}

 

{Move to Room Hallway}

 

{Move to Kyia’s Room}

 

Hikari: Monokuma wasn’t lying, the door is unlocked…

 

Hayato: I don’t know what we’re expecting to find here but… might as well take a look right?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Let’s do it!

 

{Examine bedside table}

 

Hayato: Nothing too unusual on the bedside table…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} It looks basically identical to what I have on mine, an alarm clock and a little lamp.

 

Yeah… my bedside table is equipped similarly… huh, I wonder about this though...

 

Hayato: Hikari, what’s this crumpled piece of paper on the table?

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera lense} Well spotted, this could be some sort of clue, let’s check if there’s anything written here.

 

Hayato: *Coughs* Argh, this is ashy! What the hell is that on the paper?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Don’t be a wuss, it’s just a bit of powder, we have to focus on the contents come on!

 

{Camera shows a closeup of the piece of paper}

 

MEET ME AT 2 0 :30 PM

GYM

VERY IMPORTANT

DO NOT BE LATE

 

 

Hikari: {Shocked} Could it be…? Is this the work of the killer?

 

Hayato: The Monokuma File says that he died between 8:00 and 9:00 PM so it would fit with what we know

 

Hikari: If the killer wrote this, then it explains what Kyia was doing in the gym instead of at the show! He went there to meet the person who wrote this letter!

 

Hayato: If you look at it closely… Something feels off about the writing of this letter… The first zero looks a bit thicker than the rest of the numbers!

Hikari: {Looks through camera lense} Oh my! You’re right! It looks like it was written with a different pen… That’s weird… and then there is that scribble after the time… it looks like the word “PM” has been crossed through.

 

Hayato: It’s definitely weird… it would make no sense to write 20:30 PM, you’d only write PM if you were using the American way of telling time then it’d be 8:30PM… something is off about this calling card.

 

Hikari: {Passionate Stance} This has got to be super important Hayato… maybe this will help us find the true killer.

 

{CALLING CARD added to truth bullets}

 

{Examine Drawers}

 

Hayato: We can’t be too careful, might as well take a look inside Kyia’s drawers.

 

Hikari: It kinda feels like an invasion of privacy but… {Sad} It’s not like he’s able to mind us doing it so…

 

Hayato: I know it’s hard Hikari but… we have to do this, every clue helps in finding the killer!

 

Hikari: {Sad} Fine… So what’s in there?

 

I rummaged through the drawer. The only thing of interest was a small red bottle that read DDAVP.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Now… what is this? It looks like medicine of some sort…

 

Hayato: The tag looks old… some of the writing is unreadable but I can make out a couple of words… I think it says “Desmopressin” and later it says “for the treatment diabetes and hem... “ Damnit I can’t read the rest

 

Hikari: Diabetes… that sounds serious. {Sad} Was Kyia sick? Why did he not tell us?

 

Hayato: It was probably of private concern to him…

 

Hikari: Still, it’s sad that he did not trust us enough to let us in on his problems…

 

Hayato: I don’t think it was like that Hikari, if he will ill, I understand he wouldn’t tell us immediately. We’ve only known each other for a couple of days after all.

 

Hikari: {Cries} Kyia… I... I’m so sorry.

 

Better move on… this isn’t good for Hikari.

 

{DESMOPRESSIN BOTTLE added to truth bullets}

 

{Talk to Fukami}

 

Fukami: {Stoic} Hisano-san, Seiki-san, I presume you two are holding up okay?

 

Hikari: {Sad} As well as we can be right now… Frankly, I just want to put this to bed and stop thinking about it.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} Hmm, to think that one of our colleagues did such  a thing to Taro-san… it is hard to fathom.

 

Hayato: Yeah… either way, is there anything you can tell us Fukami? I know you were with me most of the night but…

 

Fukami: {Points at graphs} Sadly, I do not think I can be of much assistance Seiki-san… All I know concerns what happened in the backstage area… I believe I am in the dark when it comes to the actual crime. Do forgive me.

 

Hikari: It’s fine… it isn’t your fault Fukami.

 

Hayato: Actually… Fukami, I have a question for you.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} Of course, ask away.

 

Hayato: Well, I haven't forgotten those surveys you had us fill in a couple days ago… Is there no way to get an idea of who’d be prone to kill from our answers?

 

It’s a pretty wild idea but… Might as well try to get something out of her.

 

Fukami: {Points at graphs} I see, I do not believe my questionnaires will be helpful, the questions I asked were too benign to infer such information. I have only learnt the most basic aspects of your personalities.

 

Hayato: That’s a shame… Well, thanks for your help anyways Fukami.

 

Fukami: Of course… Oh, before I forget Seiki-san, this might be unrelated but… {Pulls out pencil case} I think that somebody stole a black fountain pen from me… I carry this pencil case everywhere I go but, since this morning I am missing it. I do not think that I lost it therefore… I just believed it was wise to submit this to you.

 

Hayato: A-alright… thank you Fukami!

 

A black fountain pen huh… that would fit the type of pen that would have written the note we found earlier. Better keep all of this in mind.

 

{CALLING CARD updated}

 

{FUKAMI’S QUESTIONNAIRES added to truth bullets}

 

{Talk to Reijiro}

 

I haven’t forgotten about the bookmark we found earlier, Reijiro is definitely a prime suspect but… he’s also one of the smartest people here, it would be a mistake not to talk to him.

 

Reijiro: {Head down, glasses shining} What do the two of you want? I am trying to concentrate so do not bother me.

 

Hikari: S-sorry Reijiro! We just wanted to know if you knew anything that could help us?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I know a great many things. You will have to refine your search if you want information from me

 

Nice one… this guy is genuinely insufferable.

 

Hayato: Hikari meant to ask if you knew anything about the murder!

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Once again, I know many things… most of which I do not feel at ease with sharing with the both of you… {Points at Hikari} Especially after your little scene of earlier.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Listen, Reijiro, I’m very sorry for the way I acted earlier, I was in shock. I trust you now! I swear!

 

Reijiro: Enough. {Condescending look} I have heard enough from the both of you, I would like to concentrate on this mystery… I am close to finding the solution, I am only missing a few elements.

 

Hayato: Come on Reijiro, we’ll figure everything out easily if we put our brains together! Can’t you at least tell us what you’re struggling to understand.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} ... {Sly grin} Fine, entertain me… I have spent the entire afternoon in the library and I have noticed that a stool has gone missing. This piece of information simply does not fit with the rest of my timeline of the events. What is your input?

 

Hayato: A stool from the library? Wait… how am I supposed to make sense of it if I don’t know what the rest of your theory is?

 

Reijiro: You are not getting anything else from me… {Smug} If you cannot help me with this conundrum then you will not be helpful to me. You shall figure out what I know during the class trial.

 

Hayato: Wait no… you can’t do that…

 

Reijiro: I am now done with this conversation… {Smug} See you in court.

 

Reijiro left.

 

Hikari: Ugh… Ever so charming isn’t he.

 

Hayato: I knew we shouldn’t have expected much information from him… He’s gonna make us work for it during the class trial.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} We still got something… knowing about these stool shenanigans might be useful.

 

Hayato: Let’s hope it is.

 

{MISSING STOOL added to truth bullets} 

 

That’s it… we’ve examined every place I could think of and we have talked to everyone… I guess it’s almost time for the class trial to begin.

 

Hikari: {Thoughtful} Hayato… I’ve been thinking… you’ve asked a couple of people about Monokuma interfering with their preparations.

 

That’s right… so far I know he has messed with every group we have talked to.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Well, I found it weird! Because… because he didn’t interfere with what Fukami, Yoshi and I did!

 

He… didn’t?

 

Hikari: I had to tell you, I know it’s weird and it basically messes up the trend we’d established of him disturbing everybody before the show but… he definitely did not interfere with us! I’m sure of it.

 

That’s definitely weird, why would he do the things he did to all of us but Hikari’s group… Not only that but their task was probably the most important… It makes no sense.

 

Hayato: Thanks for telling me Hikari, it’s odd but… there has got to be some kind of meaning to all of this… We’ll get to the bottom of this case. I’m sure of it!

 

{MONOKUMA INTERFERENCE updated}

 

As I uttered those words… Almost as a way to punctuate my thoughts… The monitor in Kyia’s room turned on, revealing Monokuma in his usual jacuzzi.

 

Monokuma: Ahem, what’s up fuckers. Your majestic director has grown bored of y’all doing nothing, get your asses to the reception ASAP. Hope you’ve done some good investigation because the very first class trial is about to begin!

 

Monokuma: Oh and by the way, if you’re not here in the next five minutes, I’ll execute you… so you better hurry. See you there!

 

Hikari: I guess our time’s up… {Sad} Do you think we’ll get through this Hayato?

 

Hayato: We have no other choice. This is for our survival.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We better give it all we got then!

 

That is almost an understatement, I have no idea if we’re up to the task… But I guess hoping is the only solution here.

 

 

We made our way to the Aula where the others were waiting.

 

Jessie: It looks like everybody is here.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Everybody but Kyia… trust me when I find who did this to him, they’ll pay.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Paying for one’s crime is the premise of this “game” I believe. Whomever the killer is, they will take responsibility for their actions, I guarantee it.

 

Oriana: But… are we really ready for this? {Cries} I have n-never been in a courtroom before!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Neither have most of us, We don’t really have a choice other than accepting our fate.

 

Oriana: B-but I d-don’t want to a-accuse my friends. S-surely there is another possibility.

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} Ugh, Monokuma made it super clear did he not? One of us did this! We just have to find out which of you it was.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Which of you? Are you just not including you in the equation?

 

Rina: Duh, did Raiko not say that we all had alibis?

 

Hikari: There’s got to be another explanation seriously! It can’t be that simple.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} It is simple Hikari, I thought you agreed with me earlier.

 

Hikari: {Sad}I… I was wrong

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I still think one of those three did it... We all have alibis.

 

Tadao: {Sighs} ...

 

Fusume: {Hurt} ...

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, I believe I shall have to prove to you all my innocence.

 

These three are still in the spotlight... I still can't tell if it's really that simple just yet.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} No matter, we should hurry up and get this trial done and dusted, It’s do or die people!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Couldn’t have put it better myself. Alrighty, I’m glad y’all were smart enough to follow simple directions. Now let’s get going to the trial room, I’ve waited long enough!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Trial room? There is no such place in this building! What do you mean?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I’m glad you asked! Watch and learn!

 

Monokuma jumped in the air an pressed the reception’s calling bell. Suddenly we heard a loud sound behind us… It was the fountain in the center of the aula. The water had stopped running, it had now opened to show a sort of elevator.

 

Monokuma: Hop into the elevator and you’ll be down to the trial room in no time! {Belly laugh} I hope you’re excited because I am! {Disappears}

 

Fukami We do not seem to have a choice. We should enter the elevator at once.

 

Shinto: Wait… {Bites hat} Do we really want to trust Monokuma? What if this is a trap.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What else can we do? Let us stop wasting time and get to it.

 

Slowly, we entered the elevator one by one. Once we were all inside, the doors closed and the elevator started shaking. We were descending to the trial that would decide our lives…

 

{Camera shows all 15 students in the elevator, all of them look uneasy and nervous}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCho8m4Zyc&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=13) 

 

Fusume is right… We have no choice but to accept this class trial. I have retrieved a lot of information but I have no way of knowing if it’s enough… If we fail then… then we die. Can we do it though…?

 

I see my classmates and I see sadness, sorrow and nervosity. If only Kyia was there to cheer us up like he usually did. It’d be so much easier. It’ll never happen again. Kyia’s really dead...

 

Did one of us really kill you Kyia? You who wanted to trust everyone… did one of us betray you? Is it true?

 

{Camera shows monochrome comic book style close ups of Reijiro, Kôzuke, Yoko, Shinto, Fukami and Raiko}

 

We have lost Kyia, one of the pillars of the group left us… Can we manage through these dark times without him to guide us?

 

{Camera shows a similar fashion of close-ups of Kenji, Oriana, Jessie, Rina, Fusume and Kyia, the latter’s portrait being reddened out}

 

Will we succumb to despair now that one of our friends has died? Can we make it through?

 

{Camera shows Hayato, Hikari, Yoshi and Tadao in the same way, none of them have been reddened out}

 

So many questions and yet… I have to accept it. Kyia is really dead and now… we really are going to have to figure out who killed him, either we manage or we die. This is going to be a hell of a fight… For Kyia, and for our lives!

 

 

As the elevator doors opened, blinding us with bright light, only one thought went through my mind.

 

Let the class trial… begin!

 

Notes:

The very first trial is about to begin! This is the last opportunity for you to submit your theories on who did poor Kyia in! As usual feedback and comments are very appreciated!
Conserning the next couple of updates; I have advanced a lot of my school work and I think I will manage to stick to my deadlines this time. Expect the first part of the trial before November 1st!
Sorry again for the delay and thanks for reading!

Chapter 10: Chapter 1 : Trusting is Letting Go : Truth Bullets

Notes:

I decided to upload the truth bullets separately just because I find it more convenient than having it at the beginning of the first trial chapter. Enjoy :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Monokuma File #1

The victim is Kyia Taro, the Ultimate Parkour Artist. The body was discovered in the gym. The estimated time of death is around 9:00 PM. The cause of death was internal bleeding after severe blunt trauma to his skull, it should be noted that there are signs of two different blows. Death was immediate. Other minor injuries include a deep cut on his right arm and deep circular rope burns on his lower legs. No traces of poison were discovered in his blood.

 

Calling Card

“MEET ME AT 2 0 :30 PM

GYM

VERY IMPORTANT

DO NOT BE LATE”

Found in Kyia’s room.

 

Bookmark

This bookmark was found under the sink in the gym. It is probably part of Reijiro’s merch line and has his name on it as well as a picture of him and his branding. This does hint that he has been in the gym at some point during the day as it wasn’t there when Hayato visited the gym the day before.

 

Backstage window

The big backstage window has a view on the gym. Because it stands about 5 meters off the ground, it seems unlikely that anybody used this window as a way to get from the rooftop to the gym

 

Trampoline marks

The big gymnastics trampoline was taken out from the storage room and moved into the gym. There are marks on the floor to show this movement

 

Fukami’s questionnaire

Fukami made the other students fill a survey on the second day. According to her, the questions are so innocent that she cannot use them to determine who the culprit is.

 

Ventilation System

There is a ventilation grid inside the drinks tent that gives into the gym. It stands right above the ceiling bars on the gym’s ceiling. It is too small for anyone to fit through.


Torn piece of cloth

This pink piece of cloth was found on the gym floor a few feet away from Kyia’s body. It has been violently torn.


Resident Id Rules

There is a defined set of rules which must be followed by the students. A reminder of the different rules can be found in the Resident ID under the section “Rules”

 

Oriana’s account

Yoshi asked Oriana to go fetch a stool in the library to fix a stage light right before the show started. She claims that the library was empty at the time.



Kyia’s chalk powder

Kyia kept chalk powder in his fanny pack to assist in his parkour. When his body was found, the fanny pack was open and the powder was everywhere on his clothes.

 

Rina’s account

Rina stayed at the workout room from 2 to 6 PM and she did not see anyone enter the gym.

 

Kôzuke’s account

Kôzuke, Fukami and Hayato were in the backstage area for the duration of the show, until the accident when he and Hayato rushed to see what happened on stage. Kôzuke claims he can therefore back up their alibis for most of the evening.

 

Yoshi’s account

Yoshi had to change in the backstage area because the changing rooms were busy during the entirety of the show, as well as right after the accident on stage.


Monokuma interference

Monokuma interfered in the preparations of the different groups leading to the show. The only exception being Hikari, Fukami and Kyia who did not notice Monokuma getting involved in the preparation of the stage. It is unknown if he did anything with Shinto and Yoko’s preparations.


Desmopressin Bottle

Kyia had a bottle of desmopressin in his room. The label does not specify any illnesses it could be prescribed for other than diabetes. The bottle is half empty so one can assume that he frequently drank it.

 

Jessie’s account

Oriana and Rina stayed at their seat the entire show.

Raiko was there for most of the show, until she got up to get drinks

Yoshi was on stage all evening

Kenji stayed at the door at all times

Hikari was right behind Jessie with her camera


Missing Stool

Reijiro has noticed that a stool has gone missing in the library on the day of the murder.

 

Sticky areas in tent

The floor next to the drink’s table, the tent’s entrance and the ventilation grid are all covered in a sticky substance. Raiko admitted that she was the one who spilled soda on the floor.


Kyia’s Bandana

Kyia’s bandana was found next to his body and is soaked in blood, surprisingly it is not the usual red one but a yellow one instead. The blood hides this difference.

 

Yoshi’s show video

Hikari filmed the entire show. There is no trace of any suspect behaviour by any student. The feed cuts after the second crashing sound as soon as Hayato and Kôzuke get into shot.

 

Notes:

Hopefully this will be useful to those who want to play along! The first part of the trial is coming soon!

Chapter 11: Chapter 1 : Trusting is Letting Go : Class Trial part 1

Notes:

The very first class trial is finally here for our class of Ultimates! Will they manage to unveil the truth about this murder?

A few clarifications on the formatting, most of the interactive parts are very similar to the ones found in other Fanganronpas out there and are pretty self explanatory.

I will remind you that during nonstop debates, bold phrases are normal weakspots while underlined phrases are agree points.

That's it, all you need to know for now. Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

{The trial room consists of sixteen podiums set up in a circle and follows on the resort’s theme as far as decoration goes. Bright colours, with a wallpaper that mimics the sea and sky}

 

Monokuma: Welcome! Welcome to your very first class trial! Come my children, come!

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} I… am not convinced that this is what a courtroom is supposed to look like.

 

Rina: {Yawns} That wallpaper just hurts my eyes. We better get out of here asap, this is too ugly for me.

 

Hayato: We really should aim to end this as quickly as possible… This is not going to be fun.

 

Hikari: But we must do this… {Passionate stance} For Kyia!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} If y’all are done with criticizing my decoration I propose you all find your designated podium and stay there. That’s an order. Chop chop, hurry up!

 

Not left with much of a choice… We followed Monokuma’s orders and stood in front of our podiums… This is it Hayato… Concentrate!

 

 

There is no turning back now!

 

{Everyone is standing in front of their podium but Monokuma who sits on a tall golden lifeguard chair, there is a black and white picture of Kyia with a big red X on the only empty podium}

 

{The order of the character is this: Kôzuke (directly in front of Monokuma), Jessie, Kenji, Oriana, Raiko, Yoshi, Shinto, Yoko, Kyia’s portrait, Tadao, Fukami, Reijiro, Rina, Hayato, Hikari, Fusume}

 

Monokuma: So, before we begin, let me go over the rules, When you’ve reached a decision, you will vote on “whodunnit” thanks to the tablets in front of you.

 

Monokuma: The outcome of the trial depends on your votes: If you get it correct, then the blackened alone is executed for disrupting order.

 

Monokuma: However, if you get it wrong… Then the real culprit will leave the resort unharmed, and all the remaining Residents will be executed instead.

 

Monokuma: I hope that was clear! Now let’s get this despair-filled trial finally started!

 

Hikari: {Facing the floor} I can’t believe this is happening. I don’t want to have to doubt my friends

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Friends… you are quick to get attached to strangers, Mmph, I see.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Reijiro-kun! This is not the time to argue!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Friends or not... this is insane!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I don’t agree! You see, in the outside world if you kill someone you get prosecuted don’t you?, this is basically the same. {Red eye glowing} Don’t you want justice for Kyia?

 

Fusume: This… this is not justice.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} If I understand this well, if we find who the killer is, they’ll get executed right?

 

Monokuma: Exactly upupu! That’s the fun of it!

 

Reijiro: {Head down, glasses shining} This means that no matter what, we are losing another member of our group by the end of this trial.

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyahh! I… I don’t want to see a-a-another one of m-my um… f-friends die!

 

Hayato: Best case scenario it’ll only be one of us… if we fail…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Then we all die… This is why we cannot accept failure as an option. We will get through this. I promise it!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Tch, you shouldn’t make promises you can’t keep…

 

Reijiro: Let us not waste anymore time and proceed with our discussion.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Let’s get goin’ then.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Where should we begin?

 

Shinto: Wait… before any of that… I have a question.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Go right ahead pretty boy, I’m all ears upupu.

 

Yoko: {Pulling on bowtie} Hold up, I’ve got it, {Fans herself} Can I ask what this picture of Kyia is supposed to represent?

 

Jessie: {Searches through backpack} Je suis d’accord! Seems more like disrespecting the dead to me!

 

I hadn’t noticed it before but between Yoko and Tadao was a black and white picture of Kyia, it had been crossed out in red.

 

Monokuma: {Grins} Oh that! Allow me to explaon. You see, it’s not because a resident is dead that they are immediately cleared of all involvement with the crimes. These pictures are here to remind you… that anyone could be a murderer upupupu!

 

Hikari: {Sad} That’s just horrible...

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hand} Either way, there is no use in pouting. I believe we should get this over with quickly.

 

 

This is when the discussion really starts… I need to focus and make sure I get the truth out of everyone… Just like in my novels!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to the side} Well, what should we discuss to begin with?

 

Kenji {Cracking fists} Tch, I don’t understand why you people believe there is a need for discussion and debates and shit. We all know there are only three people who could have done this.

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} That’s right… we came to that conclusion earlier so like… I agree with Kenji, this won’t be hard.

 

Jessie: {Stroking chin} לסקרן… I guess this is the only way, with Kenji-kun guarding the door and all!

 

Oh boy… just as I feared, the group is immediately going to start accusing the three who didn’t attend the show. This is all because of what Raiko said earlier.

 

{Flashback}

 

Raiko: {Evil Smirk} In fact, good news for eleven of you, everyone who was at the show has a perfect alibi now, following the same logic. {Takes a hit} You’re welcome!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Wait, what are you saying?

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} This would result in saying the killer has to be… Could she be correct in her assumption?

 

Yoko: It would make sense…

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

I just feel like it is too obvious of an answer and even if it seems impossible that someone else did it… We can’t disregard that possibility.

 

Hayato: Wait, Kenji are you not rushing to conclusions?

 

Kenji! {Furious} What’d you say to me asshole!?

 

Raiko: {Heard with hands} Hayato dear… did you forget what we discussed about earlier in the evening? Kenji is right, as I mentioned earlier only Fusume, Reijiro and Tadao were missing from the rooftop at the time of the crime…

 

Jessie: {Pointing Finger} Mais bien sur ! And that would mean that one of them three sneaked in the gym and clobbered poor Kyia-kun with the candlestick.

 

Oriana: C-candlestick?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Don’t you remember Oriana? There was a bloody candlestick next to Kyia’s body… It’s got to be the murder weapon!

 

Hikari and I haven’t looked into the candlestick in much depth but it would make sense… It fits with the Monokuma File as well as Fusume’s examination of the body… although I remember something odd about what she said.

 

{Flashback}

 

Fusume: Hm, I am now convinced by my study of the body that the file does not lie. It can indeed be trusted in its information.

 

Hayato: That’s already a useful thing to know.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} One last thing, the injuries on the head show that there were indeed two strikes, what the file does not tell us however is that one of them was very much stronger than the other, that’s the killing blow.

 

Hayato: Hm, interesting, could you determine if that one came before or after the weaker one?

 

Fusume: Sadly, that is out of my aptitudes, I would assume it came second but I cannot assure it.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

I should keep this to myself for now… I don’t know how important it is just yet.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} Sadly, there seems to be no alternative, I cannot fathom how any one out of us could have done it… Seiki-san, would you not say that we have perfect alibis?

 

Kenji: I am 200% sure that nobody went through that door all night. That’s proof enough.

 

Rina: {Puts on lipstick} And that means that obviously… we’re all innocent! It’s gotta be one of them three!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} But… but…

 

Monokuma {Belly Laugh} upupupupu! I love this! Already suspecting each other. Ah, and thinking you all thought you were friends a couple days ago.

 

Kenji: Just… Just shut up, you stupid mascot, I swear I will rip your tongue out of your throat.

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} …

 

It’s starting again… Reijiro, Fusume and Tadao are under serious suspicion by everyone else.

 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well, are we sure that it’s true?

 

Oriana: Is… is what t-true?

 

Hayato: {Arms crossed} Are those three the only ones who had an opportunity to kill?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Well duh of course, they were the only ones with no alibi. Like how do we know where they were huh?

 

Reijiro: Alibi or not, I will not be stand these baseless accusations. I know that I am innocent and for the moment, I see no evidence that incriminates me.

 

Clearly we won’t agree on this. I think we should talk about it some more and try to find a lead.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Could only they have done it? Maybe we have overlooked something?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Were you not the one who immediately accused them? I see someone had a change of heart!

 

Hikari: {Sad} I was still in shock after Kyia’s death, I overreacted but now, I have my doubts!

 

Shinto {Proudly} If there’s doubt, then we should discuss this issue in more detail!

 

This shouldn’t be too hard, I should listen to what everybody has to say and see if I find any inconsistencies.

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Oriana’s account, Rina’s account, Kôzuke’s account}

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} There is no room for doubt, after all we can all back up each other's alibis can’t we ?

 

Yoshi: {Bows} That be darn right, except for those three and Kyia, everybody attended my show

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I just wanted to explore the resort some more, and maybe find a way out…

 

Yoko: Is that the only reason you didn’t attend?

 

Fusume: I just do not enjoy parties… This does not mean I did it!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The same goes for me… I have nothing to do with this crime

 

Oriana: {Shy look} B-but, everybody on t-the roof has an alibi f-for the whole evening, I think.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Either way, it was one of them, I can sense it.

 

Shinto: And you know that how?

 

Rina: {Yawns} Um… just trust me, I’m basically always right!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Solid argument right there!

 

Reijiro: {Both Hands over chest} You are all mistaken.

 

Reijiro: {Points at Tadao} You! Defend yourself for god’s sake!

 

Tadao: {Sombre} What if I have nothing to say? there is no argument in our favor.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Will you not fight this?

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} Only the eye can save me now…

 

 

I don’t think it is that simple… I mean they are suspicious for not attending the show, but are they the only ones who could have done it?

 

===

 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Oriana’s account→ everybody on t-the roof has an alibi f-for the whole evening

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Arms crossed} Oriana, it looks like you forgot what you yourself told me

 

Oriana: {Trembling} W-what are y-you saying?

 

Hayato: Yoshi, it is true that you asked Oriana to go fetch a stool in the library to fix your stage lights right before the show started right?

 

Yoshi: {Poses} Ta-daa, it is as you sayin’, Oriana was helpin’ me with my errands.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Then that means that Oriana left the rooftop right before the performance…

 

Fukami: Therefore there is a moment in time when Akiba-san has no alibi...

 

Yoko: {Blank expression} Which means that technically, she also could have killed Kyia!

 

 

Hmm, could she have done it though? Well if the possibility exists...

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} No, p-please… I…  I did no such thing… {Cries} I s-s-swear I’m innocent!

 

Kenji: Wait a second, that makes no fucking sense! We only heard that crashing sound towards the end of the show, Oriana had long been back at that point!

 

Crap, I hadn’t thought of that…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Well… maybe that sound was a decoy of some sort… I mean technically we are not sure that-

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato Seiki.

 

Ahh, what did I say? I’m sorry, I’m sorry.

 

Fusume: You are quick to accuse I see, but do you have any evidence to support your claims.

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} No no no wait a second, I am not accusing anyone…. Nor am I making any claims,  I am just stating the possibility...

 

Kozuke: {Close-up} THAT IS PREPOSTEROUS MAN!

 

{Split-screen between Hayato and Kozuke}

 

Kozuke: {Grips podium like a steering wheel} I thought we could trust you man but accusing Oriana is ridiculous. H-here, I’ll show you why.

 

When will they understand I was only stating the possibility? It’s way too early to accuse anyone. Ugh, seems like I’ll have to cut through his words either way!

 

===

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

{Truth Blades: Kyia’s Bandana, Torn piece of cloth, Missing Stool}

 

Kozuke:

 

The fact that you could imagine Oriana killing anyone is already beyond me.

 

Not only, would a gentle soul like her not even hurt a fly…

 

But it is also physically impossible for her to have killed Kyia man!

 

Especially since he was slayed in such a brutal fashion!

 

ADVANCE

 

Hayato: What do you mean by ”Physically Impossible?”

 

Kozuke:

 

Well is it not obvious?

 

Kyia was such a tall and strong guy…

 

And Oriana is so feeble and fragile

 

She’d never find the strength to hit him!

 

And even if she was a bodybuilder in disguise

 

To strike him like that…

 

She would have to be taller than him!

 

 

I can tell his intentions are good, but there is an easy way to counter his logic and I’ll show him exactly how!

 

===

 

 

 


SOLUTION : Missing stool→ She would have to be taller than him!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato {Arms crossed} Kôzuke, you are right in saying that he was struck from a higher ground, but that could be very easily solved in Oriana’s case thanks to one of the stools in the library, They are the very thing she was carrying were they not?

 

Reijiro: Mmph, that would explain the missing stool in the library. Interesting…

 

Kozuke: {Surprised} Argh, I guess you’re right… {Looks to side} But I still can't fathom Oriana hurting anyone!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I agree… that really seems unwahrscheinlich!

 

Oriana: I-I swear, I am r-really innocent

 

Kenji: {Eyebrow Raised} How can you be such a heartless asshole Hayato?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Ultimately, I have to agree, your argument does seem rather empty.

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Why do I feel like everyone is against me right now!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Guys guys, I am not accusing anyone, I just want all the facts taken into account before we move on.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} I propose we do just that then… How about I explain to all of you what I was doing between 8 and 10 PM, I must hope that you will stop doubting me.

 

Reijiro: {Both hands over chest} The same goes for me of course.

 

Fukami: {Interrogative with finger on chin} The individuals who have been suspected so far, please… do tell us what you were doing earlier this evening.

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth bullets : Oriana’s account, Yoshi’s account, Rina’s account}

 

===

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Well I have no way to prove this I guess…

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} But I was exploring the building all evening

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I was simply reading in the library, I had no interest for your childish games

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Childish? Careful bud, you be talkin’ about the greatest circus show in da whole world.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Tch, at the end of the day, watching you perform was nothing but a waste of time.

 

Hikari: Guys, we should stay on topic, let’s keep the unrelated discussions for later alright?

 

Oriana: {Trembling} W-well I was on the rooftop most evening and I only left t-to fetch the s-stools

 

Oriana: {Cries} P-please believe me

 

Shinto: {Bends over with finger pointing} What about you Tadao?

 

Tadao: …

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hellooo, earth to Tadao-kun

 

Tadao {Looks away} Huh Me? Guess I was just alone in my room, not the best alibi but that’s all I have…

 

Tadao: {Points to armband} The eye can back me up…

 

Rina: Right... 

 

 

Hmmm, none of these pseudo-alibis can be confirmed that I know of that’s true, but one of them is quite clearly lying and I want to know why!

 

===

 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Oriana’s account → reading in the library

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THAT’S WRONG!

 

{BREAK}

 


Hayato: {Determined} Oriana, it looks like your testimony will help us advance again

 

Oriana: {Pulling on hair} B-but, I-I did nothing, I swear!

 

Shinto: {Hat covering face} Hayato, that’s not cool, why are you harassing little ballerina over here.

 

Yoko: {Kisses framed picture of Shinto} Oh my Shinto, how right and chivalrous you always are… {Angry} WAIT ARE YOU TRYING TO FLIRT WITH THAT BITCH!?

 

Oriana: Kyah! B-bitch?

 

Hayato: {Startled with arms up} But…

 

Kenji: {Cracking Fists} That’s enough, if you address her brashly one more time, I’ll make you regret it asshole.

 

But I was not harassing anyone, I was literally complimenting her. Yoko insulted her not me!

 

 

Ugh, anyways...

 

Hayato: {Arms Crossed} Everyone, remember what Oriana’s testimony told us.

 

Fukami: {Confused} Well, what does it have to do with this topic ?

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} If I remember correctly, she said she went to the library to get a stool to help Yoshi and there… {Shocked with hand over mouth} Oh I think I get it!

 

Rina: {Yawn} Oh my gosh, where are we even going with this!? {Mimes fainting} I am falling asleep here.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Well, she also said she saw no one while going there. Isn't that right Oriana?

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} W-why, yes I believe it is a-as you say!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Well then, Reijiro can you explain why she failed to see you?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I see… This is quite intriguing. You now will try to shift the blame on me after failing to defend the three of us. I have nothing to rebut. I know for a fact that I was in the library, whether somebody saw me or not is not my problem. {Condescending look} Maybe you should simply review this child’s eyesight.

 

Oriana: {Cries} N-No…

 

That’s definitely not a good excuse, he’s hiding something… obviously.

 

Hikari: Don’t just let him get away with that Hayato, we should push this matter on.

 

Yoshi: {Juggles balls with one hand, thoughtful expression} Well well well, it certainly seems a bit fishy.

 

Reijiro: {Both hands over chest} Trust me, your accusations mean nothing, as I said she could have just missed me.

 

Reijiro can not just claim it is a coincidence that Oriana didn’t see him. I might have nothing concrete at the moment but we should continue and see where this inconsistency leads.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Alright my dears, let us talk about this matter alright?! I’m sure we can find the missing piece of the puzzle!

 

Ugh, it’s like she can read my mind…

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Desmopressin bottle, Ventilation system, Bookmark, Calling card}

 

===

 

Reijiro: {Cleaning Glasses} I stayed at the library all evening, I was passionately reading my latest book you see.

 

Yoshi: {Flips Hair} Hahaha I laugh, Who even reads their own books? that oughta be kinda sad.

 

Hikari: {Sad} That is not the matter, truth is we have no way to prove he wasn’t at the library

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Is that for sure man?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} I’ll admit leaving to the bathroom at least once during the evening, then again no evidence will support this claim

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Either way I never approached the crime scene.

 

Rina: {Concentrating} I mean, maybe there really is something wrong with Oriana’s eyesight…

 

Oriana: {Cries} N-no there isn’t! I would have s-seen him, p-perhaps he was hiding

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hand} No matter what, if he went to the gym he would have left a trace, people always do…

 

Jessie: {Searches through backpack} Ca alors ! I guess we are stuck…

 

 

Reijiro’s not being straight with us, I can feel it, but how can we prove he left the library, or at least managed to avoid Oriana…?

 

===

 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Bookmark → he would have left a trace

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up with Fusume} YEAH, YOU’RE RIGHT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Well, I believe you are right Fusume, he did leave a trace at the crime scene

 

Fusume: {Finger on Lip} He did?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} That’s ridiculous, I left no such thing

 

Time to expose him, I knew this piece of evidence was going to be important!

 

Hikari: Oh, I know what you’re talking about Hayato!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Reijiro, I suppose you’ll recognise this bookmark!

 

{Camera shows a closeup of the bookmark with Reijiro’s branding}

 

Reijiro: Where did you… N-no, it’s not mine…

 

Rina: Are we seriously supposed to believe that, when there’s literally your face on it!

 

{Camera goes back to normal}

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} N-no…

 

It’s the first time I see him lose his cool like that, he genuinely seems scared. It’s obvious he is hiding something from us… But why Reijiro?

 

Raiko: {Giggle} Was this found at the crime scene, hehe I suppose it was...

 

It’s definitely NOT the first time that she creeps me out….

 

Hayato:{Determined} Hikari and I found this bookmark next to the hoisting platform in the gym… And I wouldn’t say it’s much of a stretch to say it’s Reijiro’s!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} It’s not what you think I… I…

 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Ahem, my apologies, I seem to have lost my temper

 

He got his swagger back so quickly, but I know I saw some real fear in his eyes, he can not lie to me and get away with it!

 

Reijiro: {Cleaning glasses} Fine, fine, I will admit that I have not been completely honest with you all, I did go to the gym, I felt like I needed to walk around a bit, stretch my legs.

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} He lied? That definitely makes him…

 

Reijiro: {Glaring eyes} Do not interrupt me.

 

Kôzuke {Hides head in Helmet} …

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} As I was saying, I did go the gym but that was long before the murder. I maintain that I am innocent, and any further accusation would be baseless.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Baseless my ass! You have suspicious written all over you!

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Darn, that sounds like a pretty crappy tattoo, am I right guys???

 

 

How could he not expect this silence after a joke so terrible?

 

Fukami: {Interrogative with finger on chin} This does not seem like a proper end to this debate, Seiki-san, I think we should press further on this topic!

 

I agree, I’ll squeeze the lies out of him until he is honest with us!

 

Yoko: {Runs hand through hair} So, where should we go with this?

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Monokuma interference, Trampoline marks, Jessie’s account, Ventilation system, Bloody Bandana}

 

===

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I’ll say it once more, I did go to the Gym, but Kyia was still alive then and nowhere to be seen.

 

Shinto: {Bends down with pointing finger} Why did you hide it from us then?

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} I know, I know : He thought he would look suspicious if he told us

 

Oriana: {Trembles} M-maybe he just did something he was ashamed of

 

Reijiro: {Glaring Eyes} I did no such thing!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyahh S-sorry

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I had left long before this idiot even showed up with his fanny pack and his yellow bandana

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Ummm excuse me, don’t judge other people’s appearance, mister!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Especially when you wear such boring clothes!

 

Fukami: Hey, suits are not boring…

 

Kôzuke: Right…  {Worried} Anyways he’s lying, I just know he is!

 

Reijiro: {Points at Kôzuke} You are going to need more than just a hunch if you care to accuse me with this crime.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Ahh… damn it I don’t know what to say anymore man.

 

 

Why wouldn’t he tell us? That is the real question here, maybe before answering it, I should focus on his lies. Ugh... work with us Reijiro please.

 

===

 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Bloody Bandana → Fanny pack and his yellow bandana

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up on face} THAT’S WRONG!

 

{BREAK}

 

Raiko: Pff, Reijiro, you disappoint me.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} What can you possibly mean?

 

Hey don’t steal me my lines, I’m the one who was about to corner him!

 

Hayato: Reijiro, it looks like you just gave yourself away!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} What are you both saying?

 

Jessie: {Stroking Chin} I’m not sure where you’re going with this Hayato…

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Well… {Determined} One of the peculiar aspects of Kyia’s body was that he had changed bandana, normally he would wear a red one, but this evening he decided to wear a yellow one!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} That is precisely what I said, what is wrong with that?

 

Hayato: {Determined} No one claimed to have seen him after his angry scene at lunch until his death, that is my problem…

 

Reijiro: {Condescending Look} Why of course, I simply saw the bandana on his body.

 

Hayato: But that’s not possible, the bandana was completely covered in blood, Hikari and I had to wash it to see the yellow colour appear.

 

Hikari: {Passionate Stance} That’s right, it was completely soaked in blood, that bright yellow was unrecognisable

 

Hayato: {Grinning} So… tell me Reijiro, how did you know it was yellow?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} N-No, that is not what I meant you…  you do not understand. I misspoke that is all

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} This can only mean one thing, Reijiro you…

 

{Saw the body  / Wore the bandana / Saw Kyia before his death}

 

===

 

 

 

 

Answer: Saw Kyia before his death

 

===

 

Hayato: {Arms Crossed} When you went to the gym, you saw Kyia, alive!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection Stance} And then out of nowhere, he ends up dead!

 

Yoshi: {Arms extended over head} Well well well, it certainly seems a bit fishy.

 

I swear he already made that exact same comment…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Anyway… {Determined} Reijiro, what have you got to say for yourself

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} N-No, it is not like that…

 

Kenji: {Furious} YOU killed him, I knew there was something wrong with you and your asseholish features.

 

Yoko: {Hands cupping cheeks} No way, Reijiro is the killer?

 

Shinto: {Proud} I knew it all along sweetheart.

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} My love, you're such a genius among men.

 

Guys, can we not, right now… please

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I did NOT kill him you imbeciles. I just found him...

 

Kenji: {Eyebrow raised} Found him how huh? You’re not getting out of this one, you murderer.

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} STOP!

 

 

Reijrio… he just silenced everyone like that

 

Reijiro: {Step back distraught} Please, listen to me, I did not kill him

 

Rina: {Exasperated} I call bullshit here!

 

Kenji: Tch, you can’t just expect us to believe you, you’re basically the #1 suspect right now.

 

Kôzuke: It’s gotta be him, I think that-

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hand} I believe him.

 

What…?

 

Fusume: Reijiro cannot be the killer.

 

 

She hadn't said a word for some time and now… how is she already convinced of his innocence?

 

Fukami: {Confused} What?

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} You… you do?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Yeah… but you did not do anything to convince me, do not take it that way. I just figured that it was simply not possible for Reijiro to be the culprit

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Some more bullshit now! Are you guys accomplices or in love?

 

Fusume: {Pulls out kunai, dark look} Be careful with what you say, you do not want to taste… my blade.

 

...

 

Rina: {Drops cup of coffee} Please… Please don’t hurt me…

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyahhhh, please d-don’t argue!

 

Monokuma: Yeah! Murders are absolutely not allowed in my beautiful courtroom, leave the violence to me after you’ve voted.

 

Jessie: Or we could just… not be violent? Peace and love right?

 

Kenji: The fuck do you mean peace? The most peaceful guy is dead for fuck’s sake!

 

...

 

Fukami: {Stoic} Let’s calm down here. Ebisawa-san, where does this “trust” in Yamane-san come from.

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hand} It’s simple really, if you take into account everything we know, Reijiro could not have done it. Hayato you understand what I mean I presume.

 

Huh me? Let me think…  Oh, of course I get where she is going with this.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Reijiro cannot be our culprit because…

 

{He didn’t have the time / he didn’t have the strength / he didn’t have the opportunity}

 

===

 

 

 

 

Answer: He didn’t have the time

 

===

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Fusume does have a point, if I remember correctly, Kenji you went to fetch the others before we even found the body right?

 

{Flashback}

 

Kenji: I too heard the crashing sound… even though the others seem to only have ears for Yoshi… What could it be…?

 

Hayato: We’re going there now Kenji, we’ll keep you informed!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Very well, I will gather Reijiro and those who weren't here, everybody should be kept to date!

 

Hayato: Perfect!

 

{Ends flashback}

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with a playful smile} Damn straight! As soon as we heard that loud noise, I went to check on them, starting by Reijiro. He was reading in the library. I got him to come with me and we were the first two people at the crime scene after you guys!

 

Hayato: Then there is no way for Reijiro to be the culprit.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Ugh not again.

 

Kenji: {Raised Eyebrow} What do you mean?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} You see, there is quite the distance between the library and the gym. One is at the very top floor, the other at the very bottom. Reijiro would have had to kill Kyia, make sure that he isn’t leaving evidence tracing back to him at the crime scene,  probably pass through his room to change clothes because of the blood, and be back in the library. All that in less than 5 minutes. It is simply impossible if you look at it that way

 

Shinto: {Hat covering face} But wait, how do we know when exactly Kyia was killed?

 

Hikari: I know it! it’s got to be the loud noise we heard before we headed for the gym, that was the candlestick hitting against Kyia’s head.

 

Hayato: {Determined} If that’s the case, then I’m sure of it! It could not have been Reijiro, the timing just does not work.

 

Fukami: Mmhm, you must be right…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Speak for yourself, I still find that asshole pretty suspicious!

 

Kôzuke: Think about it Kenji, Hayato’s right, there is no way for Reijiro to have been back in the library in the time it took you to go and get him!

 

Kenji: 5 minutes to go up three flights of stairs, that seems doable to me!

 

Hikari: But Hayato is right, he had to get changed or at least clean himself!

 

Kenji: {Furious} How the hell do you know that for sure?

 

Hayato: Simple, just think back to when you found him and consider…

 

{His posture/What he was reading/His appearance}

 

===

 

 

 

 

Answer:His appearance

 

===

 

Hayato: A simple examination of the crime scene can easily prove that Kyia bled out a whole lot when he got hit. Whoever attacked him must have been covered in blood. Reijiro wasn’t covered in blood when you found him Kenji was he?

 

Kenji: Grr, {Hands on hips} you have a point, maybe it wasn’t him. His behavior is still suspicious as fuck, not gonna lie.

 

Most people gave me a comprehensive nod. Phew, I think they all agree with my logic.

 

...

 

Now that I think about it, Reijiro has been completely quiet since people started accusing him… What is he up to?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Reijiro, we now know that you’re innocent of this crime, so why were you lying to us? What is it that you saw in the gym?

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} I… I...

 

Kenji: {Furious} Just fucking tell us already!

 

Reijiro: Kyia… H-he was…

 

Monokuma: Aaaaand I’m afraid I'm gonna have to stop you there!

 

 

That stupid bear, he had been silent until now. What the hell is he going to say now…?

 

Monokuma: {Belly Laugh} You bastards will move one and change topic, {Menacing Grin} Reijiro, don’t you say one more word.

 

Oriana: {Trembling} B-but he was a-about to say something important wasn't h-he?

 

Hikari: {Passionate Stance} Yeah! Let him finish what he had to say

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Why won’t you let him talk Monokuma?

 

Monokuma: {Belly Laugh} upupupupu why of course! Because if he says what he saw in the gym that fateful night, ergo tonight, it will completely spoil the rest of the trial, and spoil my fun in the process.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps Medals} What do you mean spoil??

 

Kenji: {Eyebrow Raised} Yeah, this ain’t a fucking TV Show asshole

 

Monokuma {Mutters under breath} Well, I wouldn't be so sure upupupupu…

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Bear, just let me speak, I have to come clean, I will not lie anymore. I have to be the leader I promised I would be.

 

It’s pretty impressive that despite his selfish persona… he still cares a lot about how good of a leader he is. It’s not the first time he takes his role so seriously…

 

Monokuma: {Menacing Grin} You will do whatever I say, that is if you want to walk out of this courtroom alive!

 

 

That last sentence reminded us all of what could happen if we didn’t listen to this thing thus causing an elongated silence. God, this situation is just awful...

 

Yoko: {Blank Expression} So are we just expected to move on or what?

 

Monokuma: {Belly Laugh} That is essentially it upupu! You will have to wait a little longer until you can hear Reijiro talk about what he saw, Your humble director simply does not want important information to be blurted out like that. {Menacing Grin} I’m sure you understand!

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} I guess we have no choice but to back out of this line of questioning. What a shame.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Don’t be so down y'all, it’s not that bad! You can talk about anything but what Reijiro saw!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I do believe that if the group comes to understand what it is I witnessed, I will be at liberty to confirm it, is that right?

 

At least, he got back to his confident stance quite quickly.

 

Monokuma: {Looks up} That’s right! Now move on, I’m getting bored!

 

Shinto: {Bends down with finger pointing} Well people! What should we talk about next !!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well let us think about this…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} There is no need for thinking.

 

Oh no… Raiko seems to have lost her cool and it is as sudden as it is terrifying.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} What can you possibly mean?

 

Raiko: {Evil Smile} Don’t you see it? All of this does not change a single thing. This whole line of questioning was pointless. Kenji can still prove that none of us on the roof could have killed tonight. One might think that Oriana is among the possible murderers but that just does not seem plausible to me. Overall, the three suspects remain Reijiro, Fusume and Tadao.

Kôzuke: Wait, did we do all this for nothing then?

 

Fukami: {Pulls out sheet with graphs} You forget that it was proven Yamane-san saw Taro-san before his death. {Points to graphs} Furthermore, we agreed he did not have the time did we no?

 

Raiko: {Serious Glare} Does that necessary show that he has not seen him dead as well? {Evil smile} And about the timing, that is simply speculation, in reality you have no proof to show for it. Any rebuttal from your side Fukami?

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} N-no way. {Rips sheet while screaming} GAHH

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I did not think so… Now if nobody has any objections I believe we should focus on those three, as I have previously established, because we all have alibis, they are the only possible blackened.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, Distraught}...

 

Fusume: {Pulls out kunai, dark look}…

 

Tadao: {Sombre}...

 

They all look so… so  frightened, is the killer really among them. Isn’t it too early to make a judgement?

 

 

{It has to be one of them / We cannot be sure yet}

 

===

 

 

 

 

Answer: We can not be sure yet

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} Raiko, I’m sorry but I have to disagree.

 

Raiko: {Evil Smile} You do? And on what basis, may I ask?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} We still have no decisive evidence fingering one of them as the assassin! It could still be anyone.

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} Fingering who now??

 

 

I will ignore that crude comment and move on...

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Not anyone! Everybody oughta seen that the Yosh’ was on stage the whole evenin’ for his wonderful performance. My alibi finna be airtight, foolproof and whatever other cool adjectives y’all wanna add.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Yeah he’s right and I was guarding the entrance for that freak show non-stop! You can’t accuse everyone when some of us have serious alibis.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Ok maybe not every single one of us but what I meant is that it doesn’t have to be one of those three...

 

Yoko: {Hands cupping cheeks} I’m sorry Hayato, I don’t particularly want to follow creepy chick over here, but Shinto and I believe that it really could not have been done by anyone else.

 

A few others nodded, Interesting to notice how Yoko spoke for him without even asking… I guess they really understand each other. Either way, I should push this on, maybe I can prove them wrong! I have a strong hunch that something is up here!

 

Kozuke: {Objection stance} I’m with them! It has to be someone who wasn’t on the rooftop.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} I propose we debate this matter further. See where it leads us. Maybe Seiki-san will be convinced by our arguments!

 

Alright let’s do this! Is there a way to show them that someone other than Reijiro, Fusume or Tadao had the opportunity?

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth bullets: Backstage Window, Trampoline Marks, Fukami’s questionnaire, Kyia’s chalk powder, Bookmark}

 

Raiko: {Serious Glare} Just shut it already Hayato. Only the three who were not present tonight could have done it.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to the side} I don’t wanna say it but she’s right man, they all had a perfect opportunity to do this


Fusume: {Uninterested} Then again other than that bookmark, there is no trace of our presence at the crime scene

 

Yoshi: {Poses} That ain’t what matters haha, {Triumphantly} You lot finna be still hella suspicious!

 

Kenji: To add on to that, no one from the roof could have gotten down to the gym!

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} Is that so?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Yeah, I was guarding the door to the staircase and there is no other connection from roof to gym.

 

Shinto: {Proudly} Let’s not forget about timing!

 

Rina: What do you mean?

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} For the same reason that Reijiro was innocented earlier, this murder is time-sensitive,but none of us on the roof had enough time to go down there and murder.

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} Another incredible deduction my love!

 

 

That’s it, I’ve found the inconsistency. I hope this will at least make a few believe me that there is more to this than meets the eye.

 

===

 

 

 

 

SOLUTION: Backstage window → there is no other connection from roof to gym

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} YOU’RE WRONG!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Arms crossed} I will concede that no one could have left through the staircase with Kenji guarding it, but there was another way down to the gym!

 

Kôzuke: {Surprised} There was???

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You of all people should know this Kôzuke, we discovered it together after all…

 

Kôzuke: We did?

 

Yoshi: Ooh, I know! There oughta be that ginormous window, in the backstage area.

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} Is that what you are referring to Hayato?

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s it!

 

Shinto: {Bends over with finger pointing} Wait wait wait slow down, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Is that so?

 

Kôzuke: Yeah Hayato, that just doesn’t work man! Remember that the window is super high up!

 

Fukami: {Interrogative with finger on chin} I have to agree, the window is about 5 meters above ground level, it would be impossible to access the gym floor.

 

Is that really the case? I know that I am onto something, there must have been a way to go down that window, I’m sure of it!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets: Monokuma File #1, Desmopressin bottle, Trampoline marks, Ventilation System, Kôzuke’s account}

 

Yoko: {Kisses framed picture of Shinto} How right you are my love, this is completely impossible.

 

Jessie: Guys can we keep the kissing for later please!

 

Shinto: {Awkward} Sorry… either way let’s concentrate on the matter at hand guys!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} There is no need for much concentration, this window changes nothing, because it is at rooftop level it is way too high to be considered a pathway to the gym!

 

Kôzuke: Ergo… those who attended the show still have perfect alibis!

 

Hikari: {Passionate Stance} But maybe there was a way down to the floor.

 

Oriana: {Trembling} L-like what? S-some kind of r-rope?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Or simply a way to cushion the fall.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} My lord, you guys have so much imagination!

 

Yoshi: {Arms extended over head} Oh I got it, maybe, there finna be no need for any of this, pure talent was bein’ used!

 

Kenji: {Furious} This is all bullshit, Nobody went down through the window, that’s it.

 

If only there was a way to show that something was used… I know this is the right way, I just need to figure out how

 

===

 

 

 

 

SOLUTION: Trampoline marks → a way to cushion the fall

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up with Reijiro} YEAH, YOU’RE RIGHT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: I have to agree with Reijiro on this one, there was a way to attenuate the fall.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} There was?

 

Hayato: {Determined} You damn right there was! Hikari and I found that the floor next to the trampoline shows marks of it being moved around.

 

Kôzuke: {Surprised} You’re not saying…!

 

This is kinda crazy but… I can’t think of anything else at the moment. I’m gonna have to go with this theory and see what happens.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Of course I am! I believe the killer could have jumped onto the trampoline from the backstage window. That’s how it was possible to get to the gym!

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} No way!!! {Annoyed} Wait a second…

 

Hikari: It is a gymnastics trampoline, therefore it could definitely support such a weight!

 

Rina: But-

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Methinks it finna be enough of a cushion… even at such a darn high startin’ point!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} But t-that means...

 

Hayato: {Determined} It means that anyone of us could have done it!

 

 

The following silence was so heavy… I felt overwhelmed. I have no clue if I made a good impression or not. Either way, I think it's a believable argument.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Tell me boy, how moronic can you be?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Excuse me?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} I know where he is going, I think we are all thinking the same thing.

 

Yoshi: We are?

 

Rina: {Yawns} At least all those of us with a functioning brain…

 

Shinto: {Innocent Smile} She’s right. Sorry Hayato but not only is this a far-fetched theory on how the going down happened, but what about the journey back up?

 

The journey… back up?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Hehe… nobody was missing from the rooftop by the end of the evening were they… that means that the murderer had to come back to the roof after they killed Kyia.

 

Yoko: Tell me Hayato, do you claim our mystery murder-man just bounced his way back to the window?

 

… I had not thought of that, Damn it, They all look at me like I’m some kind of an idiot. I guess my theories were for nothing...

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} I mean, maybe… There is nothing that proves that isn’t what happened!

 

Hayato: {Arms crossed} The killer could have gone down thanks to the trampoline. Killed Kyia, and then got back to the top one way or the other. Maybe bouncing as high as he could! It is a possibility… right?

 

Tadao: {Disappointed Smiled} It isn’t… Sadly

 

Why do they all fight me on this. Tadao out of all people, he who never speaks… What does he have to say?

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} I appreciate your attempt to defend us Hayato....

 

Reijiro: {Cleans Glasses} But there are simply too many flaws in your arguments.

 

Them too?? Is everyone seriously against me right now? Even the three I’m trying to help!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Let me explain. There are two main holes in your trampoline theory. Firstly, if the blackened used the trampoline to jump all the way to the window, the trampoline would have been positioned right under said window when we found the body. In fact it was the body itself that was under the window while the trampoline was a few feet away. Yes it has been moved, but it cannot be for the usage you have mentionnned.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Y-yes sure but wait…

 

Reijiro: {Glaring eyes} SECONDLY, once more the timing simply does not work.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} What does that mean?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Hayato proposes that the killer had time to jump down, kill Kyia, probably tamper with the evidence in some way, shape or form to confuse us and then jump back, without anyone on the roof noticing. All this in the time it took us to find the body. How long did that take us Hayato?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Ummm, maybeeee a couple of minutes from the crashing sound.

 

Rina: {Sips on Coffee} AKA the moment of death. I agree this is impossible.

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} THIRDLY! um, Hayato don’t you remember that we were right in front of the window… I mean if somebody had gone through it, you, me or Fukami would definitely have noticed.

 

Yoko: Yeah, so basically your window theory does not work at all… You of all people should know that no one went through it!

 

Fuck… I had completely forgotten about that part… I don’t know where to go from this…

 

Jessie: {Pointing finger} Schade, I guess we’re right back to where we began… Is there really no way for anyone on the roof to have done this?

 

For fucks’s sake, I was so close to proving something. Simply teaming up on anyone who was not on the roof is not going to get us anywhere. I need to think…

 

 

Wait!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Hold on, Rina what did you say?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} That the crashing sound was the sound of Kyia being stuck on the head and dying. You have a problem with that?

 

Do I…? Maybe this is the assumption we were making all along. What if that wasn’t the moment he died!

 

Hayato: {Thinking Hard} Guys! All along we have assumed the noise we heard happened on the moment he died and to be fair that made perfect sense.

 

{Flashback}

 

*CRASH*

 

What the hell… That was almost louder than the first one but it came from downstairs… The gym maybe? What could have made this loud of a sound, we should… go check it out!

 

Oriana: Kyahhh!!!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Fucking again?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} What… What was that man? Didn't it come from the… the gym?

 

Hayato: I think it did… We should let the others take care of Yoshi and… see what happened. It’ll be fine…

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

It was all so convenient with what we believed wasn’t it…?

 

Kenji: {Cracking Fists} Yeah, we hear a bloody loud crash, then Kyia wounds up dead. That is not coincidence.

 

Hayato: {Determined} Truth is, we have no proof whatsoever that Kyia died at that moment. Maybe he was already long dead. The Monokuma File’s time of death is quite vague after all.

 

Jessie: {Stroking Chin} Incroyable! Could it be we were wrong this whole time.

 

Raiko:  Can you not see he is simply twisting the facts…

 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Do not fall for his little games.

 

Hayato: {Arms Crossed} I am not twisting facts, I am simply trying to find the truth.

 

Hikari: {Passionate Stance} I agree, to be honest, we are clearly missing something in order to move forward.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} I would tend to agree, we have been mostly stagnant for the majority of this trial.

 

Raiko: {Serious Glare} Alright, riddle me this. Do you have any evidence that shows concretely when Kyia died?

 

 

 

...

 

Fuck, I really have nothing. I know I am right! I’ve gotta be close to uncovering something big. I just need that one piece of evidence, and I simply can’t find it.

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I-I have nothing… I’m sorry.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} I knew it!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} If only we had a way of knowing for sure.

 

Monokuma: {Belly Laugh} Sounds like that’s my cue.

 

Kenji: {Furious} What the fuck do you want?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing grin} Chillax Bear Grylls! I’m only here to help. Introducing, the… Drum Rolls please…

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Just get on with it.

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} The Ultimate Truth!!! How exciting does that sound??

 

Yoshi: {Flips Hair} What is that…?

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} I’ll tell you that if you’re patient upupupu! The Ultimate Truth is a once in a trial opportunity. When you bastards are stuck like right now, I will allow one question. Only One. Which I will answer truthfully and get you out of this tricky situation. All in all, it’s a lifeline in a situation like this one to make the trial a tad less boring for me.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} Any question?

 

Monokuma: {Blank Expression} Well obviously not the name of the blackened or anything that will directly indict them but other than that yeah!

 

I don’t know if we should trust him. But then again it does seem like the only way out of this dead end…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Are we just to expect that you will not lie to us? This does not seem worth our time if you ask me.

 

Monokuma: {Belly Laugh} Good thing I didn’t ask you shit. I will be 200% honest just like in my Monokuma File. The fun of this trial is my number one priority, I guarantee.

 

I still can't believe he finds this fun… Either way. I guess we should do it.

 

Kenji: Do we really have a choice here?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Not really, we might as well ask the bear our question.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Alright then, I believe nobody has an issue with this question as it is the real problem at hand.

 

Everybody stayed quiet and nodded in approbation

 

Raiko: {Serious Glare} Monokuma, did Kyia Taro die at the exact moment we heard the loud crashing sound?

 

Monokuma: {Belly Laugh} upupupupu, Beautifully formulated question. Well are you ready for the answer...

 

Surely, this will be the answer that will move us forward. I pray for it. I’ve gotta be onto something

 

Monokuma: {Blank Expression} To the question : “did Kyia Taro die when at the exact moment you bastards heard the loud crashing sound?” The answer is… {Belly laugh} Yes.

 

 

 

 

WHAAAAAT! No flipping way. I was wrong?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} I rest my case.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Right back where we started and we wasted the Ultimate Truth…

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} It was no waste, now you all know what to think of Hayato’s half-assed attempts at theories. Now back to you three suspects...

 

Damnit. she might have won this one but I can sense it was neither Tadao, Fusume or Reijiro which means there has to be a way for someone on the roof to have done it.

 

 

Another haunting silence. I guess no one had the guts to speak, except for Raiko who laughed to herself… As creepy as ever.

 

Oriana: {Fixes Bun} C-can I ask s-something?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Speak.

 

Oriana {Trembling} Ah, it’s j-just that like, if M-Monokuma just gave us valuable i-information. Maybe w-we should pay more attention to h-his file.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Aw, but I believe we have already paid enough notice. Thanks for the attempt at being useful though.

 

Maybe Oriana’s right, Monokuma hyped his file as containing crucial info and we barely read it. There might be something hidden in there, some new lead, anything that will prove something. For us to move forward I need to remember and think carefully…

 

===

 

LOGIC DIVE BEGINS

 

Q1: What unusual aspect is listed in the Monokuma file?

{Rope burns on legs/Cause of death/Trace of Poison}

 

Q2: What could have caused these burns ?

{Legs tied together/Legs tied to something/Murder weapon

 

Q3: Where could Kyia have been tied to that created such marks?

{Along the floor/ In the air/outside of the gym

 

SOLUTIONS:

 

 

 

 

{Marks on legs/Legs tied to something/In the air}

 

===

 

Oriana’s right… we haven’t taken these rope burns into account yet. To create such deep marks on his calves, a lot of pressure had to have been exerted on his legs. He had to be tied to a place high from the ground right, because of gravity pulling him down… the rope would tighten around his legs. I cannot see how any other situation can cause the rope burns to be this deep.

 

It is safe to assume that Kyia was tied up to something in the gym… for convenience's sake… therefore the only place I can think of is:

 

{Hoisting platform/Trampoline/Ceiling bars}

 

===

 

 

 

 

Answer: Ceiling bars

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I GOT IT!

 

It cannot be the hoisting platform because we found it in it’s low position. The only place high up in the gym I can think of is the Ceiling Bars…

But wait… if he was hung up from up there, it would mean that…

 

 

OH MY GOD could it be…? If so then I think… I think that I finally understand.

 

Hayato: {Determined} Guys, I get it now, we got this case wrong all along.

 

Raiko: {Bites lips} What are you saying?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Oriana was right, we missed something tremendously important in the Monokuma File. Remember the thick rope marks on Kyia’s legs.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I recall them, but what about it?

 

Hayato: {Determined} These were formed when Kyia was tied... legs first to the ceiling!

 

Rina: {Spits out coffee}...

 

Reijiro: {Step back distraught}...

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} Are you insane?

 

I see I made quite an impact, I can’t stop here, I am so close to the truth. Now all the bits and pieces will finally come together.

 

Raiko: {Serious Glare} This is preposterous, you have no evidence for this!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Well if you have a better theory on how he got those marks, be my guest Raiko!

 

Raiko: {Closes umbrella on face} GGAAAAH

 

Hikari: {Passionate Stance} But why, why did the killer hang him up there. It makes no sense!

 

If I’m right with this, it will completely change the rest of this trial. I must pursue the truth. I won’t stop now.

 

Hayato: {Determined} The fact is, there is something we got wrong from the very beginning. The killer’s plan was simply to mislead us into thinking something.

 

Fukami: {Interrogative with finger on chin} Thinking what?

 

That’s simple I just gotta figure out why he was hung up there, then it will make perfect sense, what we got wrong was…

 

{The time of death/The cause of death/The scene of the crime}

 

===

 

 

 

 

ANSWER: The cause of death

 

===

 

Hayato: {Arms crossed} It was the cause of death.

 

Yoko: {Runs hand through hair} But isn’t the Monokuma File clear? “internal bleeding after severe blunt trauma to his skull“

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Correct, but the real question is HOW did he get that head injury? And the answer is very simple if you study these new facts!

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

-----

E L E F D O T L T A H

 

===

 

SOLUTION : F E L L  T O  D E A T H

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I GOT IT!

 

{COMPLETE}

 

Hayato: {Determined} The candlestick was simply a decoy! Kyia died by falling to his death all the way from the ceiling!

 

Shinto: {Bites Hat} NO WAY!

 

Jessie: How does that even work?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} It seems complicated but if you think about it, it is all doable.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare Go ahead, explain your little theory, convince me…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well firstly, the candlestick was used as...

 

{Complete decoy/Murder Weapon/Tranquiliser}

 

===

 

 

 

 

ANSWER: Tranquilliser

 

===

Hayato: {Determined} It was used to pacify Kyia, getting a little blood on it in the process.

 

Fusume: Interesting, this would also explain why Kyia was hit twice!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} The first blow was actually from the candlestick to knock him out.

 

Kôzuke: While the second injury… that was the killing blow.

 

Hayato: Exactly, then when he was out cold, the killer got his body up to the ceiling using the…

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

-----

 

I T T H A R S L O I N G O F P M

 

===

 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : H O I S T I N G  P L A T F O R M

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I GOT IT!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Of course, the killer used the hoisting platform to get the body up to the ceiling. As Reijiro can tell you… when we explored the gym together noticed the ceiling bars being quite sturdy!

 

{Flashback}

 

 As I was thinking to myself, Reijiro started examining the big wooden bars on the ceiling.

 

Reijiro: {Interested} These bars seem sturdy enough, I bet if we needed to we could hang some heavy stuff on them.

 

Hayato: What do you think they were used for originally?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Gymnastics perhaps, I guess I do not know.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Reijiro: That is correct, I remember this.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} That actually makes so much sense Hayato! You’re incredible!

 

Hayato: I’m not done! The killer then tied Kyia legs to the ceiling bar and his wrists together. This would explain the…

 

{Piece of torn cloth/Bookmark/Monokuma File}

 

===

 

 

 

 

ANSWER: Piece of torn cloth

 

===

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} It would explain the piece of torn cloth Hikari and I discovered on the floor at the crime scene. It was used to tie his wrists together! I guess he managed out of them, but that did not stop him from falling to his death.

 

 

Silence again, I have to finish this, I’m so close…

 

Hayato: {Determined} All the killer had to do now was make him fall and the trick was done.

I guess that’s it for my “little theory”, did I manage to convince anybody?

 

 

For once, I appreciate this silence… I think they are all thunderstruck by all this.

 

Oriana: {Trembling} I-I’m convinced, b-because…

 

Kenji: {Close-up} BULLSHIT BULLSHIT AND MORE BULLSHIT.

 

{Split-screen between Hayato and Kenji}

 

Kenji: {Furious} I know what you’re gonna try to do, blame it on us rooftop people, and I will not fucking accept that.

 

I guess not everyone is convinced after all, I’ll just have to show him that I’m right

 

===

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

{Truth Blades: Monokuma File, Ventilation System, Fukami’s questionnaire, Backstage window, Yoshi’s account}

 

Kenji:

 

I’m sick and tired of your shit

 

Why you gotta accuse everybody but the suspicious bunch?

 

The three assholes who did not come to the show are still suspicious as fuck

 

I guarantee it.

 

ADVANCE

 

Hayato: I really have not accused anyone yet...

 

Kenji:

 

Well, I’ve got this all figured out

Rooftop people had no way to reach that rope!

 

None of us have anything to do with this crap

 

That hoister could have been used to untie him and make him fall

 

That’s if you wanna stick to your stupid theory of course

 

EITHER WAY STOP BLAMING THE PEOPLE ON THE ROOF ALREADY!!!

 

 

Technically I have not blamed anyone yet he reacts this way. Well, thanks to him and his shaky arguments, I will finally put this whole matter to bed.

 

===

 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Ventilation System → Rooftop people had no way to reach that rope!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: This is where you’re wrong Kenji!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Say that to my face you little shit.

 

Hayato: {Determined} You won't intimidate me! Truth is, there was a final connection between the Rooftop and the Gym: Ask Shinto and Yoko!

 

Shinto: Us? {Innocent smile} Oh of course! Are you talking about what we found in the tent?

 

Yoko: I told you we had been useful my love!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Precisely, the couple found a ventilation grid, that is coincidentally right over the ceiling bars. About half a meter away to be exact.

 

Reijiro: Mmph, I remember examining that ventilation system… Inginious!

 

Hikari: {Passionate Stance} I get it!! All you would have to do is remove the grid and untie Kyia to make him fall. All that directly from the roof.

 

Hayato: That’s right! I disregarded that grid at first because it is way too small for anyone to fit through it… However, once you look at it this way, this was the perfect opportunity for someone to drop Kyia on his head!

 

Kenji: {Pulling on shirt collar} Wait a goddamn minute. This still does not mean the three of them couldn’t have done it. There is the hoister.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Sure, but think of it that way, why go through all this trouble, making it look like it was impossible for anyone on the rooftop to have committed this crime, when you were not even on it.

 

Kenji: {Ripping shirt} I don’t fucking know, but it still is no proof.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Fine you want proof, here’s proof!

 

This could not have been done by Fusume, Tadao or Reijiro because of …

 

{Speed of Hoister/Time of death/Position of body}

 

===

 

 

 

 

ANSWER: Speed of Hoister

 

===

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The hoister was sure practical to our killer, but it is very old and rusty. It takes a good minute to go back down to ground level from the ceiling level and it will make nightmarish noises.

 

{Flashback}

 

The hoister started pulling us up, at a very very very low speed and with quite the ruckus. I could hear the cogs turning with a lot of trouble, the mechanics have definitely not been oiled in some time. Jesus, this thing really is loud.

 

Hayato: The hoister makes a lot of noise doesn’t it?

 

Reijiro: I cannot hear you.

 

Hayato: THE HOISTER MAKES A LOT OF NOISE DOESN’T IT!?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, no need to scream.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: {Determined} If it took us between 2 or 3 minutes from hearing the crashing sound, which was, as confirmed by Monokuma, the sound of Kyia’s head against the floor, to entering the gym. We would have seen or at least heard the hoister being used.

 

Kenji: {Ripping Shirt} ARGHHH

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Looks like the tables have turned…

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hand} That is correct! This line of reasoning actually leads to the conclusion that everybody but us three could have done this.

 

Kôzuke: No way, then it means that the three we suspected at first… they’re the only ones with actual alibis!

 

Shinto: If Hayato’s theory is to be trusted then yes… to commit this murder you would need to be on the roof… attending the show. What a twist.

 

I’ve just turned it all around… If I’m right then this case is a lot more complicated than we first assumed… One thing is for sure though, Reijiro, Fusume and Tadao are innocent!

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} Wait a minute Seiki-san, there were twelve of us on the rooftop, proving who did untie Taro-san does seem practically impossible.

 

Hmm… at the end of the day, she’s right  I can’t think of anyone who stands out to me as suspicious at the moment...

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} That is where you are wrong, if Hayato’s theory that the killer did untie the rope from the rooftop stands, then I know who is the only person who could have done it.

 

...

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, I believe I do too.

 

They do??? But I’m so lost, somebody help me please!

 

Hikari: {Softly} Hayato, just remember where exactly that ventilation grid was on the roof, maybe that will help.

 

Where exactly…? Well, if I remember correctly, it was…

 

Hayato: {Gasping} WAIT A SECOND!!!

 

Fusume: {Smiling} You got it, I see. Well done Hayato.

 

There is only one person who went near that ventilation grid… and that was literally minutes before the murder. And that person… they are the only one who could have killed Kyia this way. I can’t believe I’m saying this but the one who untied Kyia and therefore… our killer is...

 

{CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT}

 

Notes:

It's already time to accuse who you think dropped poor Kyia to his death!
As usual, don't hesitate to leave theories, feedback or comments below, it means the world to me!

Thank you again for reading this chapter and I'll see you in the next one :)

Chapter 12: Chapter 1 : Trusting is Letting Go : Class Trial part 2

Notes:

Part 2 of the class trial, let's see who Hayato was about to accuse at the end of next chapter!!

As a precision the format for the scrum debates was heavily inspired on Luke_storyhammer's Village of despair which you should definetely check out here https://archiveofourown.org/works/12159684/chapters/27595272 it's one of the best fics on this cite and a big source of inspiration!

The other new minigame Mass Panic Debate is pretty self explanatory, you just have to follow three discussions at the same time.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

{Choose Raiko Itake}

 

Hayato: {Determined} Raiko… Was it you?

 

Raiko: {Hides under Umbrella} W-what are you saying?

 

Rina: You’re accusing Raiko?? Really?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, it was obvious to me. Please do recall where the ventilation grid was situated.

 

Shinto: I know! It was in the drinks tent right?

 

Reijiro: Precisely, now it should be obvious…  I have been informed that Raiko took everybody’s orders for drinks and went by herself to the tent.

 

Oriana: {Trembling} It’s t-true I remember that!

 

Hayato: {Holds Chin} Moreover, if I remember correctly, it took you quite some time to come back to the show did it not? In fact, you did not come back until after the stage accident.

 

Raiko: {Angry} I was just making sure that I was not forgetting anything, that does not mean I killed Kyia! There is no way I’m the blackened!

 

Fusume: {Pulls out Kunai, dark look} I disagree, you are looking suspicious at the moment. If Kyia was indeed dropped head first from the ceiling,  you’re the only one who could have done it!

 

Raiko: {Serious Glare} Mmh, but at the end of the day, this could all be made up! Hayato has shown absolutely no evidence that Kyia was really on the ceiling did he?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} What about the marks on his legs?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Anything could have caused that. Really you have no proof. So please, refrain from accusing me until you actually have something!

 

Oriana: {Trembling} She d-does have a point, we can’t umm… really put this on her b-b-back before we have decisive evidence… right?

 

Kôzuke: It is innocent until proven guilty is it not?

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} We do have evidence, nobody else went in the tent at the time of the crime…

 

Hikari: I’d tend to agree with Hayato!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You always agree with Hayato!

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Truth be said… Hayato’s arguments have been advancing the trial pretty well!

 

Yoko: Yeah, we think what he says holds up!

 

Rina: Ugh… {Yawning} We’re just losing time…

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I don’t think so… we might be onto something with this!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} For me… it just doesn’t work out… Too far fetched to make any sort of sense.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Come on guys… work with me here!

 

Fukami: {Interrogative with finger on chin}I wonder… what if you were wrong however and Taro-san died another way?

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} But all the evidence and our logic lead us to here did they not?

 

Raiko: You mean YOUR logic right, hahaha, Look at this everyone, how he tries to manipulate you all. All he has done all trial is speak and interject and lead us in a certain way. If we wanna work with conjecture, then I could easily argue that he is simply trying to cover for his own crime?

 

Wait a flipping second…

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} She might be right, I mean I’m sorry man but you have been speaking and leading the debate this whole time.

 

Hayato: Kôzuke seriously… I thought you told me you were my alibi!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Argh, I know, I know but…

 

...

 

You have got to be kidding me… The silence that followed ensured me that some members of the group were actually considering Raiko’s option.

 

Me killing him? Just like that… she introduced that possibility.

Truth is Raiko has no argument, all she just did was putting my credibility in question. She is the Ultimate Schemer after all so I have to be careful with her. Either way, I need to prove that she did it. I know I’m onto something!

 

Raiko: {Giggles} So, Hayato? Do you have any evidence to prove your fantasies or can we move on to discuss real matters.

 

Approbation could be heard from the others, she completely turned the situation around, and so quickly. She is so imposing that… the others are just following her blindly. I need to find something, anything… Argh I can’t think straight…

 

Hayato: {Bead of Sweat} Ummm Monokuma, is there a chance I maybe get a second Ultimate Truth? Please?

 

Monokuma: {Showing off light side} Welllll, exceptionally…

 

Hayato: {Determined} Really?

 

Monokuma:{Belly laugh} Just Kidding! Of course not you bastard! One is one, you’ve wasted your chance!

 

God damnit, I really have nothing…

 

Raiko: {Evil Smile} Alright and… time is up! Sorry but we have actual pressing matters to talk about.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} However… I do have an alternative solution when you bastards are divided into two opinions like this…

 

Kenji: What do you mean divided?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Well, we are kinda split at the moment, quite clearly, some of us believe Hayato’s theory while the others are siding with Raiko.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hold on… I’m not agreeing with her, I just… I’m not convinced by what Hayato has been saying that’s all.

 

Monokuma: The opportunity is perfect! In a scrum debate you’ll get to argue in two different teams for two opposing views! It’s perfect

 

Scrum debate huh…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Bring it on Monokuma… Let me prove to everyone that Hayato is completely wrong!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Well if everybody’s ready… Ladies and gents! Get ready for your very first scrum debate!!!

 

{Scrum Debate: Start}

 

Kyia was not tied to the ceiling:

 

Kozuke: …

 

Fukami: …

 

Yoshi: …

 

Kenji: …  

 

Rina: …

 

Oriana: …

 

Raiko: …

 

Kyia was tied to the ceiling:

 

Yoko:  CANDLESTICK

 

Reijiro:  ROPE

 

Jessie:  MONOKUMA

 

Shinto:  BURNS

 

Hikari: REIJIRO

 

Hayato:  LIES

 

Fusume:  FELL

 

 

Kozuke: Seriously man… didn’t we agree Reijiro was the suspicious one? Did you forget about the bookmark?

 

Fukami: Do we know for sure that Taro-san fell to his death? The file only indicate blunt trauma

 

Yoshi: The Yosh’ finna be confused… ain’t that candlestick the murder weapon we havin’ agreed on?

 

Kenji: Hayato keeps on talking about a fucking rope helping the murder but we never found any!

 

Rina : Like ugh… You just assumed the marks were rope burns but you have no proof of that!

 

Oriana: H-how do we know that it’s n-not Monokuma who… uh who did this t-to Kyia?

 

Raiko: Hayato is only making up lies to cover for the obvious culprits! This stupid theory will lead to nothing!

 

{Scrum Debate : End}

 

 

 

 

Answer:

 

Kozuke: REIJIRO

 

Fukami: FELL

 

Yoshi: CANDLESTICK

 

Kenji: ROPE

 

Rina: BURNS

 

Oriana: MONOKUMA

 

Raiko: LIES

 

=== 

 

Kozuke: Seriously man… didn’t we agree Reijiro was the suspicious one? Did you forget about the bookmark?

 

Hikari: No that’s wrong! We’ve already established that it was impossible timing-wise for Reijiro to be the killer

 

 

Fukami: Do we know for sure that Taro-san fell to his death? The file only indicate blunt trauma…

 

Fusume: Kyia’s injuries are actually consistent with Hayato’s reasoning, if he fell from the ceiling, it would also explain why Kyia was hit twice!

 

 

Yoshi: The Yosh’ finna be confused… ain’t that candlestick the murder weapon we havin’ agreed on?

 

Yoko: The candlestick was only used to pacify Kyia, that would explain why it has blood and is bent the way it is.

 

 

Kenji: Hayato keeps on talking about a fucking rope helping the murder but we never found any!

 

Reijiro: How moronic can you be? Whoever untied the victim from the rope had ample opportunity to hide it after the deed was done.

 

 

Rina : Like ugh… You just assumed the marks were rope burns but you have no proof of that!

 

Shinto: Well, rope burns leave quite a special type of mark on the body don’t they, I’m sure we could prove it by closely examining Kyia’s legs!

 

 

Oriana: H-how do we know that it’s n-not Monokuma who… uh who did this t-to Kyia?

 

Jessie: No no no! Monokuma was super insistent about him not getting involved! It would be completement stupide and illogical for him to be the killer

 

 

Raiko: Hayato is only making up lies to cover for the obvious culprits! This stupid theory will lead to nothing!

 

Hayato: Raiko! Our logic brought us to this point! These are no lies… it’s the truth. Kyia did fall to his death and you’re a prime suspect in this murder!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: Do you see now? {Determined} The evidence we have examined thus far comes to one conclusion only… That Kyia fell to his death from the ceiling!

 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I guess… I guess you’re right man. Sorry to have doubted you.

 

Kenji: Tch… I knew Raiko was suspicious from the get go… that bitch ain’t normal!

 

Oriana: {Crying} Such… a h-horrible way to go… Poor Kyia…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} You all believe Hayato now right? I told you his reasoning made sense!

 

Fukami: Hmm, it does seem that it is the most reasonable line of thinking… My apologies Seiki-san.

 

Shinto: {Thumbs up} Well done Hayato! We can continue moving forward from now on.

 

Phew… It looks like we managed to convince the others… Which means I can go back to my original accusation!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Raiko! What do you have to say for yourself now!

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} …

 

Hayato: If Kyia fell to his death… then you’re the only one who could have untied him! What’s your excuse this time?

 

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} … {Giggles} ha… ha… hahahahahahaha! {Crazed laughter} KYEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE! {Grimace} Now… now we’re talking huh!

 

What… what the hell is happening to her now?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} You… you entertain me Hayato… I like that.

 

Jessie: Raiko-chan… defend yourself!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} No need for that… I’m glad Monokuma got to try out his little mini-game but… at the end of the day you proved nothing Hayato.

 

I… proved nothing?

 

Raiko: All this debating was for nothing. {Grimace} In reality, you still have no definite proof that Kyia was up there!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Are you serious right now?

 

Yoko: {Awkward} Wait… we have just spent all this time proving it!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Wrong. You gave pretty convincing answers to all the objections our colleagues had… yet… {Grimace} I’m not convinced!

 

How the hell am I supposed to convince her then?

 

Raiko: As long as you don’t have indisputable evidence… {Evil smile} Then I refuse to defend myself!

 

Whaaat!!? She… refuses?

 

Rina: Ugh… are we just going to waste even more time? Can’t you commoners just agree for god’s sake?

 

Kenji: {Furious} C’mon you bitch! Just speak! We know you’re guilty anyways!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} No, no… I want evidence from Hayato! Come on… prove it for me. {Evil smile} Entertain me!

 

Evidence…? Do I have anything that proves without a doubt that Kyia was in the conditions I have described?

 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Come on Hayato! You can do it! Just think it through.

 

Think it through huh? I need to concentrate...

 

 

There’s got to be something I’m forgetting…

 

 

Anything?

 

 

Raiko: Aaaaand… {Evil smile} Thinking time’s over Hayato. {Serious glare} Do you have something or not?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I… I…

 

God dammit… I’m so close and yet… There is nothing I can think of that serves as absolute proof. All I have is a theory.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Aw… I’m disappointed Hayato. I had high hopes for you… really. {Grimace} Guess I was wrong. Now… may that serve as an end to this stupid little tangent. Without any real evidence there is no reason to continue debating this topic.

 

Yoko: {Pulling on choker} Was this all for nothing then?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Grrr… Don’t tell me that we’re just back where we started.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} It seems that way to me.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Tough luck Hayato… Now, shall we get back to business!

 

I can’t counter her arguments anymore… Is there really nothing I can do?

 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Wait.

 

Raiko: What do you want?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Monokuma, may I?

 

Reijiro… W-What is he doing?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Of course upupu, it has already been revealed either way.

 

 

Wait a second… Could it be that what he saw…?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Very well, for those who have forgotten, just like it has been proved earlier in the trial, I did see the victim when I entered the gym…

 

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} Grrr n-no! Don’t you dare!

 

Kenji: And so what? Tell us!

 

Reijiro: {Both hands over chest} Well, {Points at Hayato} he is perfectly right, the body was tied upside down to the ceiling bars at that time, and did seem unconscious at the time.

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} …

 

Kozuke: {Hides head in helmet} Is… is that so??

 

 

Kenji: {Pulling on shirt} FUCKING WHAAAAT?

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} I… I… the Yosh’ finna be confused…

 

Shinto: I knew you were right, Hayato!

 

Yoko: {Kisses picture of Shinto} It is all thanks to us my dear… We discovered that ventilation grid after all did we not?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Well done everyone!

 

I can’t believe it…  I was right. Such a far-fetched theory… even for the detectives in my stories it seemed pretty far fetched but… We can finally get to something and try to understand what happened!

 

Raiko: {Hiding under umbrella} Grrrr…

 

Not only that but now, Raiko’s little games won’t have any effect. She can’t turn this all around anymore.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} …

 

Reijiro… Thank god for his intervention,  this is crucial. Now, it’s time for me to go back on the offensive.

 

Fukami: {Points at graphs} Hold on a second, Yamane-san… if you did find Taro-san’s unconscious body… Then why did you not act upon this discovery?

 

Reijiro: {Tightens fist} I… thought he was dead at the time.

 

Kôzuke: You did?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} From such a distance… it wouldn’t have been easy to tell if Kyia was dead or simply unconscious…

 

Oriana: {Cries} S-still! Couldn’t you h-have tried to um… um… s-s-save him?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …  {Smug} Mmph, you could say that I got scared. So I left, not wanting to get involved… Quite clearly that was the wrong decision to make but now is not the time to regret my actions.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah… you just made yourself even more suspicious by acting the way you did.

 

Reijiro: Perhaps… Either way that is it. End of the story.  All of all this to say that {Points at Hayato} This man’s theory has ground to stand on.

 

Is he ever going to remember anyone’s name…? Anyways, now’s not the time to be mad at him, he just saved our asses there.

 

Hikari: So, ultimately, this means… that Hayato was right in all the things he claimed!

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} That does seem to be the case.

 

Good… it’s my turn now!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Thank you Reijiro! Now, I propose we go back to what we were talking about before. {Grinning} Raiko, do you have any explanation for all this?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} … {Bites lips} Hold on just one second… There is no way that I am the killer because… because... {Closes umbrella on face} GAHHHHHH

 

Hayato: {Grinning} The fact that you tried to turn it on me and then on Reijiro as your sole defense makes me think that you have nothing to say to counter my arguments.

 

Jessie: Rightig! You don’t seem to have any form of logic to defend you Raiko-chan!

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} …

 

Hayato: Raiko, you are the only one who entered the tent right before the murder.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notepad} That’s true… the video I took of Yoshi’s show can even pinpoint the moment Raiko got off her chair!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Now, if you want to know my alibi, I was in the backstage area at the time and there are several accounts that confirm this.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Totally man… I was there with you all evening.

 

Fukami: Hm, I can also vouch for Seiki-san and Shigetaka-san, they barely left my sight.

 

Hayato: In fact, Raiko, I believe you can vouch for us can’t you?

 

{Flashback}

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Hey guys!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Um, hi Raiko.

 

Fukami: Good evening, Itake-san.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} May I ask what it is you’re doing on this side of the curtain, Itake-san. Are you not part of the crowd?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Oh but of course hehe. I am simply weary of this heat. Staying hydrated is important. Therefore being the responsible girl that I am, I thought I’d get drinks for everyone, that includes you guys who sacrificed yourselves for the good of the show!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You came to see us Raiko, you of all people should know that I was backstage at the time of the murder.

 

Raiko: {Grimace} I… I…

 

Hayato: It all comes back to this Raiko… only you entered that tent….

 

Fusume: {Satisfied} And therefore…

 

Hayato: {Determined} Only you could have untied that rope and killed Kyia!

 

Raiko: {Closes umbrella on face} GAAAAH

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Not only that, but the rope was missing from the ceiling bars when we investigated right?

 

Yoko: Correct… we definitely did not see it when we found that ventilation grid.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} I get it, I get it. The fact that we did not find the rope tied to the ceiling bars means somebody untied it right?

 

Fukami: {Points at graphs} Furthermore, we now know for sure that a rope was involved because of what Yamane-san has seen.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} And if a rope was untied at some point of the night… Oh well, looks like the only one would could have done it was you {Points at Raiko}

 

Hayato: {Determined} Raiko! Admit it!

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} Grr… Grr…

C’mon Raiko, say something so I can prove how much of a lying witch you really are!

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} … {Heart with hands}Please… please friends {Giggles} Let’s talk about this yeah? I’ll prove that it wasn’t me! Trust me!

 

What bullshit is she planning now? Hm, no matter I must expose her lies, this is the only way forward.

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Sticky Areas in tent, Desmopressin Bottle, Monokuma Interference, Resident ID rules, Yoshi’s show video

 

Raiko: {Heard with hands} Seriously guys, all I did in the tent was pour drinks for all of you, wasn’t that nice?

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} I-I guess it’s sweet of y-you to have volunteered

 

Kenji: {Furious} It’s not fucking sweet, she murdered Kyia!

 

Kôzuke: Is… is that a fact now?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Didn’t we agree that nobody else could have done this?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Sure, I was the only one who entered the tent and so what? That does not mean a thing!

 

Fukami: Hm, it does make you appear suspicious Itake-san.

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Not only that but, it also does mean that you were the only one with the opportunity to untie him.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Which means you were the only one with the opportunity to kill him!

 

Raiko: {Evil Smile} Gah shut up already! You have no proof!

 

Shinto: {Sad} Again with this no proof argument… I wish you’d find another defense…

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} Either way, if she did remove that grid she probably left some kind of trace

 

 

She will not get away from our accusations this easily, I know exactly how to show that she did untie Kyia and she did kill him!

 

===

 

SOLUTION : Sticky areas in tent →  she probably left some kind of trace

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Fusume} YEAH, YOU’RE RIGHT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Determined} Once again, Fusume is correct. Raiko you did leave evidence in the tent.

 

Raiko: {Bites lips} What are you even talking about?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Let’s picture the scene. You prepared the drinks for when you’d come back, then removed the grid and finally untied Kyia’s legs, killing him.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} Yes that seems reasonable

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} All this of course in a limited amount of time. When you rush, let’s say… accidents may happen!

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} Gh…

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} I see, I believe that I follow your logic.

 

Rina: {Yawns} Well I don’t okay? Wanna be clear for once puh-lease?

 

Hayato: {Determined} Alright… I’ll make it nice and obvious for everyone to figure out. Let’s remember the state of the tent. There was a bottle of soda that had been spilled, is that correct?

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Of course, I remember that! The whole area was covered in this sticky… thing.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Correct, there were a couple of areas that were left sticky. Namely, the tablecloth on the table, the main entrance and… the ventilation grid.

 

Hikari: {Centers tie} Yea that’s right! And because it was Raiko who poured drinks, it would be natural for her hands to be left sticky as well.

 

Yoko: {Blushing and drooling} Her hands… sticky?

 

Shinto: {Awkward} C-calm down dear… not now.

 

Kenji: You guys are disgusting.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Anyways l-let’s move on yeah?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Right… where were we?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Sticky h-hands I um… I-I-I think.

 

What is going on anymore with these conversations...

 

Hayato: Anyways… {Grinning} Raiko’s hands are not the only thing at play here, there is something else we have to consider!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} What is it now?

 

I’ll tell them exactly what it is! We have to take into account that…

 

{Raiko wore gloves/The tablecloth was used differently/Raiko admitted to spilling}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: Raiko admitted to spilling

 

===

Hayato: {Grinning} If memory serves Raiko, you even admitted to spilling the bottle and then attempting to clean your mess did you not?

 

{Flashback}

 

Hayato: Raiko… about this tent, would you happen to know why some areas in here are sticky by any chance?

 

Raiko: {Blushes} Oh, yes… Let’s say I had… a bit of an accident when pouring the drinks.

 

Hikari: {Shocked} An accident?

 

Raiko: Why… why yes. {Evil grin} I have been… naughty.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Jessie: That definitely sounds like a confession to me!

 

...

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Raiko? An explanation maybe?

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} I-I was in a rush.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Yeah, in a killing rush!

 

Hayato: {Determined} I’ll take that as a yes, you tried cleaning the puddle you’d formed with the tablecloth making your hands sticky in the process.

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} And then you tried opening the ventilation grid! That explains it!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Attendez! How do we know the soda didn’t just reach the grid by itself because of gravity or whatnot?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It is way too far for that to happen without leaving a clear trace like a trail.

 

Hikari: And the area between the table and the ventilation grid… It wasn’t sticky so there definitely was no trail.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} What really happened was that Raiko opened the ventilation grid right after she spilled the bottle, making it sticky. Is that enough proof for you?

 

Take that, how is she gonna argue out of this one huh!

 

...

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} …Wait just wait.

 

Kenji: What now?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} All these accusations… but, you have no proof that I was alone in the tent now do you?

 

Rina: Ugh, where the hell does this come from?

 

Raiko: I was in that tent when Kyia died sure… but what if someone else was in the tent with me?

 

Hikari: {Shocked} Someone else?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Think of it that way, if I was at the drinks table serving up drinks, the ventilation grid would have been behind me, so maybe somebody sneaked in and killed Kyia without me looking!

 

That’s… that’s just stupid, it’s like she’s ignoring the fact we just proved she touched that ventilation grid…

Oriana: But… w-who? Who could have done t-that then?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Well I don’t know but I want to think that there were a number of people who were free to move around during the show…  they should also be suspects!

 

 

{Camera goes around the room with the students looking shocked} 

 

This is just clear diversion… there is no way this line of argument works with the others right-

 

Jessie: I’m innocent! It wasn’t me, It wasn’t me!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Me neither! Um, p-p-please don’t suspect me!

 

Kenji: {Crackings fists} Well it’s definitely not me! I was guarding that door all evening!

 

Yoko: Shinto and I can back up each other’s alibis!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Guys calm down, just think for a sec-

 

Rina: {Annoyed} You bet your ass a celebrity like me would never fall into crime like that, it’s a commoner thing to do!

 

Kozuke: I… I have an alibi right man, Hayato back me up!

 

Hayato: Yes but-

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} In this case, I would like to remind you all that I also have an alibi for the evening.

 

Hikari: {Shocked} Everyone! Stop talking on top of each other please!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Shut the fuck up! Where is your alibi huh?

 

Hikari: {Angry} I was filming the show! How dare you Kenji!? What about you, can anybody back up you stayed at the door?

 

Kenji: Of c-course somebody can.. {Pulling at shirt} I’m the least suspicious person here. No joke!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Actually, I believe it is us who did not attend the show, who are faring better at the moment!

 

Kenji: {Ripping shirt} Grr… ARGHHH SHUT UP!

 

This is getting out of hands…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} …

 

Raiko’s little distraction tactics worked all too well… It seems everybody has forgotten who the real suspect is, and now they’re all suspecting each other! I need to sort through the arguing and find the weak spot in their arguments, despite all this noise!

 

Kenji: {Furious} I’M DEFINITELY FUCKING INNOCENT!

 

Yoko: {Intense} So am I, there’s no way I’m the killer!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried}  I… I have an alibi! Don’t accuse me please!

 

===

 

MASS PANIC DEBATE START

 

{Truth Bullets : Kozuke’s account, Yoshi’s account, Jessie’s account}

 

Kenji: {Furious} You have some freaking nerves, accusing me…

 

Yoko: {Blushing and drooling} Shinto and I were together all evening… obviously!

 

Hikari: Alright, guess we should try listing our alibis yes? I held the camera during the whole show so…

 

 

 

Kenji: When I was guarding the door, all evening!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Therefore it is fair to say we can back up each other’s alibis.

 

Jessie: I was seated all evening, je le promet! I don’t know if anybody can back me up on this one though…

 

 

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} Can anybody prove that though?

 

Yoshi: {Flustured} But, the Yosh’ ain’t seen neither of y’all in the crowd during the show!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Well… what I know for sure, is that Fukami, Hayato and I had zero chance of getting to that tent

 

 

 

Oriana: I… I t-think I saw Kenji from my s-seat, he never seemed to move!

 

Shinto: {Awkwardly} We were… occupied let’s say, but trust me we never came close to that tent!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} We would have had no way to go past the curtain without you noticing!

 

 

 

Kenji: {Scratching head with playful smile} Damn straight, I told you I had an alibi!

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Couldn’t you two lie to cover each other’s asses?

 

Reijiro: Mmph, no matter all your arguments, only one thing is for sure...

 

 

 

Fukami: {Points at graphs} Pardon me Kimata-san but… Akiba-san was not on the rooftop all evening.

 

Yoshi: That finna be true! methinks these two would be doin’ such a thing!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Those of us who did not attend the show cannot be involved!

 

 

 

Fukami: {Convinced} Hence, her testimony might not be reliable!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} But… if we lie to cover one another, the other will be executed! What’s the point of that?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Hehehehe, such distrust… my my what a surprise!

 

 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Fine, then… take a look at Hikari’s footage, surely it shows that I’m not lying!

 

Rina: {Yawns} Frankly, I don’t give a damn, as long as you don’t start pointing fingers at me at least.

 

Raiko: {Grimace} What a shame that nobody can back up all of these alibis… We have no way to know who’s right and who’s wrong!

 

===

Even with all this noise and everyone speaking at the same time… somebody said something that simply does not fit with the evidence. I gotta show this flaw to everyone

 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Jessie’s account → nobody can back up all of these alibis…

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Determined} Raiko! You’re wrong!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} I am? Do tell me how so.

 

Hayato: Well, there is away for everybody’s alibi to be proved quite easily.

Raiko: {Grimace} You’re bluffing! C’mon tell me how you want to prove all this!

 

Oriana: {Tightens bun} Do you r-really have evidence Hayato?

 

Hayato: Let’s proceed by elimination shall we?

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Go ahead, I’m taking notes!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Okay so, 15 of us here correct? And we are looking for someone who could have entered the drinks tent.

 

Fukami: I agree so far…

 

Hayato: Reijiro, Fusume and Tadao are off the table, with Kenji guarding the door there is absolutely no way for them to get to the tent.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Indeed.

 

Fusume: {Relieved} I sure am glad that we are not on the suspect list any longer.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Next we can eliminate Kenji and Yoshi because as previously mentioned they both appear on Hikari’s video at all times.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} I told you so didn’t I?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Where are you going with this Hayato?

 

Hayato: Be patient, I’m almost done.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Who next?

 

Hayato: I think we can also agree that Fukami, Kôzuke and I had no way to reach that tent without being spotted right?

 

Rina: {Concentrated} Agreed, I would have defo noticed you…

 

Hayato: {Grinning} This leaves us with seven possible suspects and that’s when Jessie’s account comes into play!

 

Jessie: Me?

 

Hayato: Yes you Jessie, remember what you told us during the investigation!

 

{Flashback}

 

Jessie: Well, मुझे सोचने दो! That means « let me think » by the way… anyways, um I can say for sure that Oriana-chan and Rina-chan stayed at their seat with me, never got up once.

Raiko-chan was there for most of the show, until she got up to get drinks… Yoshi-kun was on stage all evening, evidemment…

Kenji-kun stayed at the door without budging… and oh, Hikari-chan was right behind me with her camera. I can assure you these people never left my sight!

 

{Ends flashback}

 

Hayato: Jessie can confirm the alibis of Oriana, Rina and Hikari and I believe they can confirm that she did not leave her seat either right?

 

Rina: {Yawns} Gotta admit it… the girl stayed seated all evening.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Yeah… she appears on my camera feed a couple of times too.

 

Jessie: {Happy} Yay, I have an alibi!

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} Grrrr…

 

Hayato: This only leaves three suspects, Raiko, Shinto and Yoko.

 

Raiko: {Grimace} You don’t know where Shinto and Yoko were at the time of the murder though do you.

 

If I remember correctly what a certain someone told me… I actually think I do know.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Actually, I know exactly where the couple was!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} N-no way.

 

Yoko: You know?

 

Hayato: Yeah and that place was :

 

{Drinks tent/Shinto’s room/Changing rooms}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: Changing rooms

 

===

 

Hayato: I have heard from an… {Bead of sweat} anonymous source that Yoko and Shinto were both in the backstage changing room during most of the evening…

 

Yoshi: {Heavy sweating} Anonymous… source?

 

Shinto: {Awkwardly} Um… there is an explanation to this…

 

Yoko: … Which we won’t get into, this is private information!

Rina: {Annoyed} I don’t even wanna know what kind of disgusting things you were doing in there!

 

Yoko: {Angry} Then don’t ask!

 

Reijiro: Wait an instant… How do you pretend that they got in the backstage changing room without you noticing.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Truth is… I’m not sure, but with everyone concentrating on the show and us backstage making sure we wouldn’t mess up the transitions…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} We admit it.

 

Kenji: What??

 

Shinto: We were in the backstage room. {Innocent smile} Let’s move on now yes?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} All of this to say… that Raiko you’re the only one without an alibi!

 

Kozuke: In fact, you’re the only one who we know for sure went into that tent!

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} Grrr no…

 

That was rather laborious… all this to show the others that her excuses were unfounded… but, I’ve got her now!

 

Hayato: {Determined} This is it Raiko! What do you have to say for yourself now huh? You’re not lying out of this one!

 

Take that!

 

 

Raiko: {Grimace}...

 

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Ok then, hehe I guess I don’t have a real defense anymore do I?

 

Is she giving up? What…? This seems out of character.

 

Oriana: {Cries} Raiko, you are not a-admitting it right?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Don’t worry sweetie. {Serious glare} All I will do is ask Hayato a question.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} O-Ok, hit me.

 

Raiko: {Head tilted} If I am not mistaken, you gave quite a bit of importance to the Monokuma File is that correct?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Well yes, it did give us crucial information.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Then tell me, how long did it take Kyia to die after being struck, or rather, as you so clevely proved, hitting the floor.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I believe it was…

 

{Instantly/A couple of minutes/It is not specified}

 

===

 

ANSWER : Instantly

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} The Monokuma file states that he died instantly from the trauma.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} That is correct hehe.

 

...

 

And…?

 

 

Kenji: Anybody wanna explain what’s going on?

 

Rina: {Yawns} I’m just as lost…

 

Raiko: {Giggles} …

 

Where is she going with this?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Argh, How did I not think of this.

 

Oh no.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Good god...

 

Now her? Did they understand something that I didn’t?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Do you not see my point Hayato?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Stop stalling and fucking tell us what it is you mean!

 

Reijiro and Fusume both figured out, but… what is Raiko’s point… and why does she seem so confident even after we just proved she was the only suspect remaining… What the hell is going on with this case anymore?

Raiko: {Evil Smile} It seems that Reijiro knows what I’m talking about, would you mind explaining to the others my dear?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Do not patronise me… {Smug} Hmph, the problem is that if Kyia died instantly, he could not have moved after he touched the floor. So why was he not found directly under the ventilation grid, but rather about five meters away from it?

 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} GAAAAAAH

 

How did I not think of this… This is bad, real bad.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} So Hayato, riddle me this. If I did kill him the way you established without the shadow of the doubt, then why was he not where he should have landed huh? And I will only allow answers which obey the laws of physics.

 

Raiko… She trapped me again… What the hell am I supposed to say.?

 

Yoshi: {Flips hair} Speak, Hayato we are all awaitin’ your answer

 

Kenji: {Cracking firsts} You better not attempt to bullshit your way through this again!

 

Fuck fuck… what can I say…?

 

Hikari: {Passionate Stance} Come on Hayato I believe in you!

 

Nothing… There is no explanation is there?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I have… I have nothing guys, I’m sorry…

 

Raiko: Good, now {Evil smile} Let’s get back to business shall we?

 

Have… have I lost this? She tricked me so easily and now… What am I supposed to do? I can’t let the truth get away but…

 

 

Damnit!

 

{Trial suspend}

Notes:

So, this chapter is slightly shorter than usual because I decided to split up this part 2 of the trial into two chapters simply to avoid it being too long. This means that part 3 will be done soon and come out asap.

Thanks again for reading and as usual please leave feedback and theories in the comments.

See you in the next one :)

Chapter 13: Chapter 1 : Trusting is Letting Go : Class Trial part 3

Notes:

Quick note before this chapter, I realised while writing this that all the times I refered to a chandelier I actually meant to talk about a candlestick! I mixed up the two because these two are one and the same in my native language. Anyways, I've replaced all mentions of chandelier in the previous chapter and this type of silly mistake hopefully won't happen again. Sorry about that :/

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

{Trial resume}

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Now now Hayato… What a shame that your little theory’s completely wrong huh?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} …

 

Damn it… what the hell am I supposed to do now…? I can’t think of anything to counter her argument… She is right in saying that it would be impossible for Kyia to land where he did so… Is she gonna get away with this?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato! Say something!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That’s right pussy… don’t tell me all this blabbery was for nothing!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I… I…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hayato…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Let me help you Hayato my dear, it seems like you’re in desperate need of assistance!

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} Ugh, what is it now now?

 

Fukami: Itake-san… speak your mind if you will.

 

Raiko: Heart with hands} But of course hehe… {Serious glare} In the end there are only two possibilities.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Two possibilities?

 

Raiko: Number one, everything did happen like Hayato claims it did, Kyia did fall to his death BUT somebody moved the body post-mortem.

 

Fukami: {Interrogative with finger on chin} However, if one of us moved the body, it must have been before we found it correct? It was already out of position during the body discovery announcement.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Correct, and because nobody left the rooftop before you four found Kyia’s corpse… There’s only a handful of people who could have moved the body.

 

Not this again!, she means to accuse…

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Are you saying that whomever moved the body did not attend the show?

 

Raiko: Precisely, therefore if Hayato’s little theory is correct then… this could only indict one of your three little friends who you were trying to protect!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Fusume: {Hurt} But why…

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} …   

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} The three of them are suspects again huh? I knew it all along!

 

N-no, it can’t be that, it’s highly illogical, I have to object!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Raiko wait! That would make no sense at all. Why would one of them move the body?! We have already determined that they could not have killed him so then why?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Perhaps… you want to wait until I get to option number two before you get all agitated.

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Argh…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Speak! What is your second theory!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} But of course, the other possibility is that… {Evil smile} things did not go the way Hayato imagined and he was hit with the candlestick just like we thought at the very beginning and then again, we are back to our original premise.

 

N-no!

 

Yoko: But, if that’s the case it would mean that…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Correct, no one from the roof could have done it. You know what that means Hayato! {Insistent} No matter what, the killer has to be one the three of us who didn’t attend the show! You can’t argue with that anymore!

 

Hayato: no.. no… I… {Startled with hands up} NOOOOOOOOOO!

 

 

 

It can’t be… after all that… all that I’d managed to prove, she just brought the trial right back to the very beginning… It’s like all I did this entire time was for absolutely nothing.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Hold on one second, what about what I saw? I did clearly see the victim tied up to the ceiling bars. What do you presume that was then if our theory is wrong.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} R-right… R-reijiro couldn’t have just imagined it!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile}Oh that? I do not know. Hmm, maybe these are simply the lies of a murderer who is trying to hide his crimes. After all you’re the only one who confessed to entering the gym so far are you not Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Step back distraught} Now, wait a second…  Monokuma confirmed it, and we already came to the conclusion I could not have done it because of the timing of the events, this is all preposterous…

 

Raiko: {Serious Glare} No, no, no. I believe that actually, the people who came to that conclusion were Hayato and Fusume, neither of whom I believe we should trust anymore…  Not only that but the fact that you are siding with Monokuma makes you even more suspicious in my book.

 

Monokuma: H-hey… don’t bring me into this, I’m as honest a bear as you’ll ever see.

 

Raiko: Either way, {Evil smile} you guys all know what’s coming now.

 

No… Is she gonna say it?

 

Raiko: {Serious Glare} Reijiro Yamane, if your lies prove one thing it is that you are the true killer!

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} I’m not, stop… stop accusing me of such idiocies…

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Is it really him…?

 

I can’t let her take control of the room again… I can see it in their eyes some of us are definitely falling for Raiko’s tricks, I have a lot of trouble thinking that after all that, Reijiro is just the killer. It would make no sense after everything we have concluded thus far… Raiko must be wrong one way or another.

Which part of her logic can I question? Maybe there was...

 

{A way the body was moved/A way the body fell in that spot/Another rooftop-gym connection

 

===

 

 

 

ANSWER: A way the body fell in that spot

 

===

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Before we move on, if you allow me, I’d like to figure something out.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} What now Hayato? Are you too dumb to understand that you have no chance? {Evil smile} Your theories were all wrong hehehe!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I… um… if that’s uh… okay, I’d l-l-like to hear what Hayato has t-to say.

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Well, go ahead, humour me… The truth will win no matter what!

 

The truth… Well, I think I’m on the side of the truth, she’s just trying to mess with us! I can’t let do this!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I have thought about it all and… {Determined} I believe Reijiro is telling the truth, the body was definitely strung up to the ceiling but maybe it ended up falling in a specific way which made him land where he landed?

 

So… that kinda sounds stupid now that I think about it… but I can’t think of anything else…

 

Yoshi: {Arms extended over head} What are you sayin’ that he fell diagonally, trust me I’ve tried it ain’t possible.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} No that’s not what I meant…

 

Kenji: {Snickers} I hope it ain’t what you meant bro, that was fucking stupid.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} I expected much better from you Hayato.

 

Argh… this is not going well.

 

Raiko: {Evil Smile} Just stop embarrassing yourself young man, your imagination needs some rest.

 

Jessie: Raiko-chan…?

 

Raiko: Do not worry, we shall move on from these idiocies.{Heart with hands} Now, does anyone sensible have a reasonable point to make?

 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} I do.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You? Go ahead and speak, but do not waste my time.

 

Raiko… she is so in control, she looks so confident right now it seems… almost impossible to question her arguments…

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} I wonder, did your little scary gimmick and your manipulation tricks make all of us forget that we proved beyond a doubt that Raiko did lift the ventilation grid.

 

That’s… that’s true.

 

Fusume: Maybe she did not kill him… but it seems unreasonable not to question why she untied that rope.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} How… how dare you… {Bites lips} That… that is not of importance anymore!

 

Kenji: {Cracks fists} Bullshit, you better start talking!

 

Kôzuke: Yeah… this is definitely of importance!

 

Rina: {Yawns} Just… speak… I’m done with wasting my time here!

 

 

Nobody’s buying her crap anymore… good. She gotta start explaining herself

now

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Grr… {Twirls Hair} Fine, fine, I will admit I lifted the ventilation grid okay.

 

Hayato: I knew it!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} BUT that does not mean I untied that rope, anyways, absolutely no one was attached to it. Got it?

 

Shinto: {Bends over with finger pointing} Well, why did you touch that grid then? You have to admit it does not make any sense.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I have to agree…

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Does it matter guys, hehe, it doesn’t have anything to do with the murder… I swear!

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Aaaand, you want us to believe that crap right?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Just fucking tell us the truth bitch!

 

I think the tide is changing, it would make no sense for her to lift the grid without reason…

 

Hikari: Raiko! Why did you touch that grid! We know you did it so why!?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Hm, let’s be real here, the real issue is not the grid, it’s the rope, and that you have no evidence I untied it.

 

Yoko: {Runs hand through hair} But that’s only because we have not kept the rope as evidence!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Indeed, from what we know so far, we would have definitely  found evidence if she had touched it…

 

That’s right, from what we found out before if she untied that rope she would have left…

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

-----

 

U R S I D E E

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : R E S I D U E

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I GOT IT!

 

Hayato: {Determined} If Raiko did untie that rope and subsequently kill Kyia she would have left a sticky residue on the rope.

 

Yoshi: Subsequently…? {Flustered} That be a fancy word!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Such a shame you can not prove that I touched the rope hehehe. Where even is it now? Who knows!

 

Of course, she got rid of it… No doubt that the Ultimate Schemer would have thought ahead. So that was useless…  Hm… Is there really no way to prove she did it?

 

Raiko: {Giggle} I guess there is no factual evidence left hehe, {Grimace} you can think as hard as you want, you will never find a flaw in my argument, none of you!

 

Hikari: There’s got to be something…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} The only moment I could have killed him is when I entered that tent, but his body could not have as far from the ceiling bar as it did if I had done it. You can not prove I killed him hehehe, and the reason for that is because I haven’t done it!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Surely there is an alternative, I know that bitch has to be the killer!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} It’s impossible to prove me guilty! It just doesn’t work with your sequence of events!

 

Wait…!

 

Hikari: AH! {Passionate stance} Hayato! She basically just give you a hint, you need to think this through one more time and get to the right conclusion! There must be an answer here!

 

She’s right, something that Raiko just said strikes me as important…

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} I have to agree, we will not move forward if we do not change our angle of approach, maybe we have simply been asking the wrong questions, this is why we are not reaching any answers.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Does this really matter, all this time you tried proving me guilty and never even thought for a second that you could be wrong… Maybe if you simply thought differently we could finally move on…

 

Think differently, I can try doing that…  Ugh, alright, time to concentrate again!

 

LOGIC DIVE BEGINS

 

Q1: Is there any concrete evidence that proves Raiko to be the killer?

{Yes/No}

 

Q2: What makes it unlikely that she did it?

{The position of the body/The fake murder weapon/The timing}

 

Q3: However what proves she had involvement in the crime?

{Her fingerprints/ The sticky residue/her lack of an alibi}

 

Q4: Knowing her, what is it that Raiko did?

{Killed Kyia/Tried killing Kyia/Messed with the killer’s plan}

 

SOLUTIONS

 

 

 

{No/The position of the body/The sticky residue/Messed with the killer’s plan}

 

===

 

I… I finally get it, all this time she was playing with us.

 

From what we have seen so far… Raiko is way too meticulous to have been so obvious about her heading to the tent… If she was the killer she would have been a lot more sneaky regarding this…

The truth is that she knew we’d pick up on the clues leading to her and she used it to antagonize Fusume and I. But why…? I still do not understand why she did what she did, but I have to accept that Raiko simply cannot be the killer! The position of the body makes it impossible for her to have done it. In reality, her goal was very different…

 

Hayato: {Determined} I understand now…

 

Kôzuke: {Surprised} Then tell us man! I am so lost right now…

 

Kenji: Yeah! Let’s finally corner that bitch!

 

Rina: {Yawns} Just get it over with please!

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Hm, I assume what you will do is clear me of all suspicions right Hayato?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Nonsense, he will not fall into your mind games… {Points to Hayato} I am not wrong am I?

 

 

I have the answer to these questions but… I don’t know just how well the others will accept my explanations… Hm, I can’t deny what I know to be the truth so…  alright here goes!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Raiko you are right. I will do just that. {Determined} You are not the killer we are looking for.

 

After a few seconds of absolute silence, what I expected would happen… happened.

 

Yoko: WHAT?

 

Rina: {Spit out coffee} EXCUSE ME!? {Annoyed} But you spent this entire time trying to prove she was… she was… just freaking make up your mind!

 

Fusume: {Pulls out Kunai, dark look} You are taking her side now… I see… so you decide to act treacherous Hayato…

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in Helmet} I can’t understand anything anymore…

 

Kenji: {Furious} I knew I couldn’t fucking trust your lying ass.

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Guys, guys, guys! Please, calm down and I’ll explain everything.

 

Kenji: {Furious} You better…

 

Hayato: I will! {Thinking hard} Let’s see… I am still inclined to think that Raiko untied that rope, however, she cannot be the killer.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} But wait a second Hayato, Kyia was tied to that rope, so if she untied it, that means he must have fallen and died!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} No, the evidence shows that her untying the rope could not have been what killed him! The position of the body proves that.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Surely, you jest. Have you forgotten that I saw with my own eyes that the victim was tied to the ceiling bars with that rope.

 

...

 

Hayato: {Determined} Of course I remember. So let's think logically, if she did untie the rope without Kyia falling where he should have fallen then what does that tell us?

 

Fusume: It would have to mean that Kyia was not tied to the rope when she untied it.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-but… wouldn’t that mean that Reijiro… l-lied?

 

Fukami: Indeed… this line of questioning would tend to put Yamane-san’s credibility in question.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} You don’t want to argue that Reijiro was lying now do you Hayato?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} I’m… telling the truth, he was tied up there… I swear.

 

Reijiro… it would make no sense for him to be lying to us, there has to be an alternative!

 

Hayato: No! Actually, I believe Reijiro is telling the truth.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Then, how do you explain that Reijiro saw Kyia on that rope and then… suddenly he’s not attached to it anymore?

Yoko: {Fans herself} That is what you are claiming Hayato right?

 

Kenji resumes it well… There is only one way for this to have worked. I must make it clear to everyone.

 

Rina: {Yawns} So Hayato… explain yourself!

 

Hayato: Very well… There is only one way this could have happened… What if Kyia had managed to escape…?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Escape?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You cannot mean that…

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Wowowowo, Hey you, brocoli-head! You can’t be just introducin’ new elements like dat! The Yosh’ confused…

 

Raiko: {Grimace} I presume you have nothing close to evidence to back up this theory do you Hayato?

 

Do I…? Hm, I’m not sure. We should discuss this more and then hopefully, I’ll find a way to prove this.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Guys, let’s talk about this yeah…? I think I might have an idea.

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} Again?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You better not be bluffing… I hope for you that you actually have evidence this time.

 

Hayato: I… I do. {Determined} Of course I do!

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Let’s go then!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Torn piece of cloth, Desmopressin bottle, Calling card, Jessie’s account, Monokuma File #1)

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} What do you even want us to discuss, I don’t know who to trust anymore… This is too complicated for me!

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Hayato, I think your change of heart about Raiko was rushed… She could still be the murderer!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fist} That’s right, there is no evidence that this bitch isn't the killer! If you ask me she’s suspicious as hell.

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Heck, there ain’t any evidence provin’ Kyia escaped either.

 

Rina: {Yawns} I swear, if you’re wasting our time… We’ve already spent long enough have we not?

 

Raiko: {Giggle} Perhaps, it would be easier on everyone to focus on the three only suspects here!

 

Yoko: {Hands cupping cheeks} I need to see proof to believe anything

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Sadly, I presume that she already got rid of all possible evidence…

 

Oriana: Then… then w-what can we do?

 

 

I admit it would have been convenient if Raiko was the killer but the body’s positioning makes it basically impossible. I must prove that I was right in my theories about Kyia’s situation… This is the only way forward

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Torn piece of cloth →   there ain’t any evidence provin’ Kyia escaped either.

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Yoshi, I’m afraid you’re wrong

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Say whaaaat?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Remember the torn piece of cloth we talked about earlier.

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} Yes, we agreed it was used to tie Kyia’s wrists together…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrows} The killer really didn’t want him to escape did he…?

 

Jessie: But… that piece of cloth was found on the floor n’est ce pas?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Oh, I get it!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Yeah, that’s the only thing that makes sense to me. Let’s not forget that Kyia was very strong.

 

Yoko: {Blushing and drooling} He had… a nice body…

 

Shinto: {Angry} Yoko what are you doing?

 

Hayato: Concentrate guys please! I think that Kyia woke up from his slumber before anyone tried untying the rope and… I think he managed to free himself. This is why the piece of cloth was torn as it was.

 

Fusume: So… I am guessing that when Raiko tried untying him he was just not there anymore right?

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} That would explain it yes… So Taro-san really did manage to escape….

 

Kôzuke: But then what happened man? If he managed to escape then how did he die?

 

This is what I need to figure out… How did Kyia end up falling to his death if he managed to untie himself?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} First things first, there is something I’d like to ask you Raiko.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Yes of course, ask away darling! {Evil smile} Be quick.

 

That girl can’t stick to one persona now can she?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Raiko… You did untie that rope right?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Did s-she?

 

Hayato: You have to understand that there is no use in lying anymore, we can just ask Monokuma to find the rope and I’m sure it will be sticky with soda, thus proving that you did touch it.

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} …

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Upupu, you got it, I can go fetch that rope anytime I want! Being omniscient is pretty cool don’t you think?

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} Grrr…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} What I really want Raiko to confirm is Kyia’s position when she untied the rope… Was Kyia still there?

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} Whaaat? But why would she untie it then. It makes no sense.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It does seem rather unreasonable I have to agree…

 

Kenji: {Furious} Yeah, Hayato, you shit! Start saying stuff that has purpose for once!

 

Wait what? But… I swear I have been helpful this whole trial… Anyways, I should say someth-

 

Raiko: {Evil Smile} He’s right hehe!

 

I’m… right?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Hayato’s right about everything. There was nothing tied to that rope when I entered the tent so I untied it and hid it!

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} WHAAAT? Stop with the flipping plot twists you two! Even a genius like me is… finding this hard to understand.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} But, Raiko, why would you even do such a thing?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Hehehe, it’s simple. I knew this whole setup with the rope was part of somebody’s murder plan, it had to be! So I decided to spice things up and mess with them!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} But how did you know…?

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Simple, just like you did Reijiro! I simply walked into the gym beforehands and saw Kyia tied up head down hehe, {Grimace} I was perfectly aware of the implications of this rope you see.

 

Kenji: {Pulling on shirt collar} And… and you did nothing? You could have saved him. What the fuck is wrong with you? W-what if you got him killed?

 

Fukami: { Tightens grip on briefcase} You are truly evil… Why get yourself involved.? Why not go to his help?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} I’m the ultimate schemer, it’s my thing alright… If Kyia had escaped I would be sure to cause mayhem for the killer hehe!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} And what if Kyia-kun was still hung up there then?

 

Raiko: Well then, I had an easy opportunity to score on somebody else’s plan and escape this place, {Evil smile} Just like the blackened intended to do in the first place! It was a pretty good plan I have to give it to them and with no way to trace back to me, {Grimace} I was damn close to getting away with it all!

 

Escape huh? Raiko was willing to kill Kyia so that she could win the trial and… get us all killed in the process. How could she do such a thing? She’s… she’s just as bad as the killer!

 

Raiko: {Giggles} You idiots really thought I had done it hadn’t you!? And if you had voted wrong hehe, you’d all be dead right now while the real killer would be walking away scot-free! Well done Hayato, you just saved your classmates. {Evil smile} for now…

 

This is actually so messed up… She could have warned us, and maybe Kyia would still be alive…

 

 

Kenji: {Furious} You… bitch

 

Raiko: C’mon, hate me all you want, {Hits cigarette} You should not be angry that I was simply smarter than all of you…

 

Reijiro: {Irritated} Murder… does not make you smart you fiend…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} This… this is fucked up man!

 

Oriana: {Cries} ...

 

We… we can’t let emotion take the better of us, in this confession of hers, I think she said some stuff that can be helpful. I have to finish this.

 

Hayato: {Determined} Everyone! As…  screwed up as this is, we are close to having all the pieces of the puzzle! We still have a killer to find, let’s do this! For Kyia!

 

Yoko: {Tearing up} And just forget what this witch just said? She is literally responsible for his death! How are we supposed to move on.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} She isn’t necessarily the blackened though upupupu. If you want to get out of here alive you will have to find the correct killer!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I propose we deal with her actions after the trial, for the moment, we need to concentrate on finding the identity of the blackened.

 

Hikari: Raiko! {Passionate stance} Do you know who the killer is?

 

Raiko: {Evile smile} Perhaps… but even if I knew why would I tell all of you? What good would it do me?

 

Hayato: You’ll die Raiko… if we fail you will die with us! Tell us and save yourself!

 

Raiko: Hmm… {Grimace} Nah, the look on your faces is a lot more precious to me than survival, you are on your own for this one Hayato!

 

Damn it… She won’t tell me anything. I’m so close to figuring it out, we just need to go that extra step forward and… I’ll catch the killer I’m sure!

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Fine, Hayato… you want to move on? Then answer this question which… has been troubling me all this time.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Go ahead.

 

Fusume: Very well, I wonder… if Kyia was no longer on the rope when Raiko untied it then where was he?

 

Hmm, this is the question I also had in the back of my mind. If we answer this, maybe we’ll find the key to this mystery…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} This is an important question, let’s figure this out then. We have got to take into account where he was found.

 

Kôzuke: Where he was found? How would that help?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Laughable… if the victim fell to his death, we can assume he fell directly above where the body was found… This should tell therefore tell us where he fell from.

 

In my mind, there are only two possibilities but one of them will just incriminate Reijiro, Fusume and Tadao again... I have to go with my gut on this one and hope I can back it up.

 

Hayato: {Determined} After he freed himself, Kyia was…

 

{Back on the floor/Still at the ceiling level}

 

===

 

 

 

ANSWER: {Still at the ceiling level}

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I am not giving up on my theory, I still think that Kyia fell, and just like Reijiro just said, if he did fall and land where he landed. He must have fallen from what was above him.

 

Shinto: Above where the body was found? That would be… around the backstage window right?

 

Hayato: {Determined} Correct! This is the the only place I can think of!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} And how do you suggest Kyia went from the ceiling bars to the window. Flying maybe?

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Kyia be knowin’ how to fly?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Of course no you dumbass!

 

I don’t like her sarcasm… Truth is, I know exactly how he got there.

 

Oriana: {Trembling} I-it’s true there was n-no way for him to get there.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} There was quite a distance to travel from point A to B…

 

Fusume: There was seriously no way he just flew across the ceiling…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Well, I believe that there is a way.

 

Yoshi: {Shocked} So he could fly???

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} No… not quite, {Holds chin} However, I believe there was a indeed way for Kyia to travel from the ceiling bars to the window…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Intriguing… Tell us then, how do you believe that the victim achieved such a feat?

 

If we think it through it is almost obvious… there was only one way for Kyia to have gotten to the window… Let me make it clear to everyone!

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

-----

 

K U O S R A R A T P I R T

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION :  P A R K O U R   A R T I S T

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I GOT IT!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} To understand just how Kyia reached the window, you all  need to remember who we’re dealing with.

 

Rina: {Confused} Who we’re dealing with? Well we’re talking about Kyia arn’t we?

 

Fukami: Oh… I get it! Taro-san… of course, he could have done it this way!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Travelling such a distance in mid air might have been impossible for us. But not to Kyia… not to the Ultimate Parkour Artist!

 

Kenji: Oh my god, you’re right! Climbing stuff and dealing with obstacles was his specialty!

 

Shinto: Getting to the backstage window using the ceiling itself as a way of transportation… {Innocent smile} if there’s one of us who could have done it, it would have to be Kyia!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… this does make sense, I am willing to accept that he was able to do it but… why would he do such a thing? He has just been attacked and he was in quite a delicate situation. Why not just find a way to get down to the floor and therefore safety? Why take such a risk?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Hm… good questions you’re asking Reijiro…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} C’mon smartass, don’t disappoint now.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato, I believe in you, we’re so close! You’re so close!

 

I am close to understanding it all… I know I am. The clue to finding the murderer is right around the corner. I just need to think carefully, one last time!

 

===

 

LOGIC DIVE BEGINS

 

Q1: In what state was Kyia when he got himself free?

{Injured/Sick/Healthy}

 

Q2: When Kyia woke up, how did he most likely feel?

{Depressed/Angry/Happy}

 

Q2: What could be a reason to get to the window?

{Get help/Get revenge/Get bandages}

 

Q3: What did he see on the other side of the window?

{A way to save himself/His attacker/A potential weapon}

 

SOLUTIONS

 

 

 

{Injured/Angry/Get revenge/His attacker}

 

===

 

It all makes sense to me now… I understand what happened and I have a pretty good idea of who the killer is… All I need now is the timing of the events and then my suspicions will be confirmed.

 

Hayato: {Determined} Guys, I think I got it…  

 

Rina: Then tell us god damnit!

 

Hayato: Wait, wait please. I’m just missing one last piece of evidence, I need to know when Kyia reached the window. Then I will be able to explain everything.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} You want to know when the victim arrived at the window? Perhaps if we all agreed on the chronology of the events we would be able to reach a conclusion regarding this.

 

Fukami: {Stoic} Let us try to help then!

 

Hikari: We just need to think back on how the evening played out… hopefully that’ll be enough!

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Ok everybody, hit me with what you’ve got!

 

*THUD*

 

Did Yoshi just… throw a juggling ball at him?

 

Kenji: {Furious} The fuck did you just do?

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Well, you be askin’ for someone to hit you, the Yosh’ just thought that…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Oh dear lord… Yoshi… I’m going to take this ball and shove it so far up your ass… so bloody far…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Kenji, can we do this later, this is important we’re almost there!

 

Yoshi: Yes… moving on finna seem wonderfulous!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I’m not done with you freak show!

 

Hayato: Let’s concentrate guys, we need to discuss this and then… then this will all be sorted!

 

Yoko: {Smiles} Let’s do this then!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Desmopressin bottle, Calling card, Kyia’s chalk powder, Ventilation grid, Yoshi’s Show Video}

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I guess there is no way to know exactly when it was…

 

Shinto: I think he probably got to the window right before he died!

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Um, not necessarily. he could have stayed there, hiding maybe?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} He could have been waiting a long time… just waiting for an opportunity.

 

Yoko: {Blank Expression} Opportunity for what?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I believe Hayato will come to that soon enough…

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Fellas, I reckon it happened during my show!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Your show lasted the whole evening dickcheese! we need more precision!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Sorry for tryin’ to help...

 

 

It’s just like I thought, which means I think I know who the real culprit is...

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Yoshi’s Show → it happened during my show

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Yoshi} YOU’RE RIGHT

 

{BREAK}

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} Yoshi’s right, it did happen during his show. But more specifically right after the accident on stage.

 

Kenji: You mean when that moron made a fool of himself, and scared us all to death.

 

Hikari: {Sad} I really thought you hurt yourself Yoshi, please don’t frighten us like this again

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Can we not talk about it please… {Bitter} This is not something to laugh about. {Juggles} We oughta be movin’ on yeah peeps?

 

Yoshi… is it me or did he just lose his accent for a second… I’ve never seen this angry expression on him before… Hm, it must be my imagination.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Por favor, Hayato explain yourself, how do you know exactly when Kyia got to the window?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} There is one of piece of evidence that leads me to believe that it was after the stage accident… that is Hikari’s video of the show!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Well, what does it show?

 

{Camera shows the video on the camera screen}

 

Hayato: I ask you all to pay attention to the moment of the accident on this video…

 

Rina: {Yawns} Do we really have to go through this again?

 

Hayato: Just look… and try to spot who you can see on the screen… this should be enough.

 

{Right after the accident, On screen, Yoshi, Kenji, Hikari, Jessie, Oriana, Rina, Kôzuke and Hayato can all be seen}

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hayato… tell me, what are we supposed to understand from this?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Simple, remember where everybody was supposed to be during the show… We have already agreed earlier in the trial on everybody’s positions…

 

Fukami: {Stoic} Yes and? Get to the point Seiki-san!

 

Hayato: Now that we reshuffle everybody’s locations to show the people who appears on screen, it means that…

 

{Everybody was now on stage/Only one person was in the backstage area/No one was in the drinks tent}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: Only one person was in the backstage area

 

===

 

Hayato: With all this moving around because of the on stage accident… only one of us was left alone in the backstage area!

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} And why would that matter?

 

It’s true I did not explain anything yet. But now…  I know very well who the killer is, which means I can make it clear to everyone.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Kyia was injured and we can assume he was angry when he woke up. Somebody had just  tried to kill him. He could have easily gone back down thanks to his talent and yet... he didn’t. Why? Well, there is only one reason I can think of for him to go all the way to the window.

 

Kenji: C’mon spit it out!

 

Hayato: {Determined} I think that Kyia saw his attacker through the window … and wanted revenge! This is why Kyia went to the backstage window! Because of who was standing right in front of it!

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} …

 

 

Kôzuke turned all white for a minute, obviously, he was the first one to understand where I was going.

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} Wait… N-no, nonononono it can’t be man. Please… please Hayato, tell me you’re not about to say what I think…

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} W-wait how do you know h-he didn’t just n-need h-help.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Oriana, I don’t think that’s what happened simply because if it did, somebody would have told us about it. There’d be no reason to hide it!

 

Raiko: That holds… maybe you’re right Hayato and there was no reason for an injured Kyia to go through the trouble of reaching that window other than… {Serious glare} For revenge!

 

Fusume: {Holds chin} If he did see the person who attacked him through the window, then whoever was in the backstage area at the time has to be the killer!

 

Shinto: Only if the killer was there would Kyia have gone to that window…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Furthermore, only someone who was alone in the backstage area would have had an opportunity to kill Kyia and make him fall where we found him.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Until the stage accident, there were always multiple people in the backstage area… only one person was alone back there.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Alone with a chance to commit murder…

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} N-no, I won’t believe it.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} So Hayato, do you have the balls to indict who you think the killer is?

 

This is it… I know who the killer is, and even though by accusing them I am essentially sending them to their execution, I have no other choice… This is their life versus all of ours.  I can’t hesitate!

 

Hayato: {Determined} When the accident occured on stage and some parts of the set broke off, Kôzuke and I rushed to see what happened.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps Medals} Leaving... only one person, alone, in the backstage area…

 

No backing down now… I’m going all in.

 

Hayato: {Determined} This time, I’m sure of it, that person has to be the killer. They are the only one who could have killed him, while alone in the backstage area, and as much as I can’t believe they’d do something like that…

 

Driven by the adrenaline rush I pointed my finger across the room to the person who I knew had to be the killer

 

Hayato: The real culprit in this case is…

 

{CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT}

 

Hayato: {Determined} …

 

Hikari: {Sad} …

 

Fusume: {Dark look} …

 

Kôzuke : {Worried} …

 

Jessie: {Scared} …

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} …

 

Oriana : {Crying} …

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} …

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} …

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} …

 

Yoko: {Blank expression} 

 

Kyia

 

Tadao: {Sombre} …

 

Fukami: {Stoic} …

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Rina: {Nervous} …

 

Notes:

It's finally time to accuse Kyia's real killer! It has been almost spelled out at this point but hopefully it was not obvious from the beginning to all of you!

As usual, feedback and theories are super appreciated so go ahead type those comments!

See you in the next one ;)

Chapter 14: Chapter 1 : Trusting is Letting Go : Class Trial part 4

Notes:

Very very long chapter incoming, It's time to find out who the real killer is in this chapter!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

...

 

...

 

...

 

{Choose Fukami}

 

Hayato: {Determined} Fukami Ota, You’re the killer who has been eluding us this far!

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} How dare you…?

 

As expected, there were muffled shouts of surprise coming from most of the others… this is no easy revelation to make.

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} … I can’t believe it.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Well done Hayato… looks like you decided to face the truth… {Evil smile} You’re less of a coward than I thought you were.

 

Kenji: {Furious} S-Shut the fuck up you bitch! Hayato, where the hell does this accusation come from?

 

Hayato: It is the only way this all makes sense Kenji… you must understand.

 

Kenji: {Rips shirt} For fuck’s sake, Fukami has been nothing but good and calm and… and fucking reserved since we arrived here. She’s not killer material!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Fukami took s-such good care of me… There’s no… uhm… no p-possible way s-she’d kill someone!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Guys, I know… In fact, Fukami’s personality is what made me reluctant to follow this line of questioning.

 

Fukami: {Stoic} …

 

Hayato: {Determined} Nonetheless, I can’t get distracted by such futile aspects of the case…  I know I’m right! Kyia definitely fell from the backstage window and the only person there at the time was Fukami!

 

There is no way around it… Fukami has to be the killer!

 

 

Fukami: {Adjust Glasses} Hmm, this is what you base your whole accusation on Seiki-san? This one… feeble detail?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Not so feeble if you ask me, your position at the time of the crime does seem to indict you as our murderer…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m sure we missed something man… there has to be another explanation.

 

Fusume: There is no use in trying to deny what we have proven… {Dark look} We must pursue the truth and therefore corner the killer…

 

Hayato: There is objectively no way that someone other than Fukami committed this crime!

 

Fukami: {Close-up} I WILL TEACH YOU A LESSON

 

{Split screen between Hayato and Fukami}

 

Fukami: {Stoic} Seiki-san, you accuse me simply because you do not know where you are going, I will put you back on the right track, if you allow me.

 

It really pains me to accuse Fukami… She has been one of the only people who I’ve come to like in this place… This shouldn’t matter, there is no place for emotion here,  Fukami is the murderer, she has to be. I will not let her argue her wayout of this one!

 

===

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

{Truth Blades: Kôzuke’s account, Rina’s account, Oriana’s account} 

 

Fukami:

 

I find the fact that you accuse me rather… amusing,

 

Sadly, it only shows me how clueless you are

 

Your whole theory…

 

 … Is based on a fluke!

 

ADVANCE

 

Hayato: {Determined} It’s no fluke, it proves only you could have done it!

 

Fukami:

 

Nonsense

 

You have no proof the murder happened when you said it did!

 

Furthermore:

 

It could have happened anywhere!

 

Not just the backstage area!

 

So unless you have anything more decisive

 

You have got nothing on me!

 

She’s making a pretty obvious mistake, as long as I can prove my theory is correct, she will have no defense left!

 

===

 

 

 


SOLUTION : Kôzuke’s account → You have no proof the murder happened when you said it did!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Sadly for you Fukami, what you’re saying is simply not true!

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} N-nonsense…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I believe Kôzuke can back me on this one. You and I were in the backstage area for the entirety of the show right?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} That’s right man, until the accident with the set happened on stage.

 

Hayato: {Determined} You see Fukami, that is the only time the murder could have been committed. The only moment someone was alone backstage. And that someone was you!

 

Fukami: {Holds head and bends backwards} AHHH

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Is it sure…?  Did she really fucking do this?

 

Fukami: {Grips tightly on briefcase} NO!! {Stoic} I mean… I mean no, it was not me.

 

Hm, it seems like Raiko and Reijiro aren’t the only ones who can change persona here. Anyways I won’t let her get away with this crime. I have to do this, for Kyia!

 

Oriana: {Cries} F-Fukami… It just seems so u-u-unbelievable.

 

Monokuma: {Belly Laugh} Upupupu, you never know which of your friends is a murderer, that’s the best part of this game.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Permission to kill this fucking bear?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Do not touch him. If you want to stay alive that is...

 

Kenji: {Furious} FINE.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Fukami, please tell me you have a good defense!

 

 

I know I’m on the right path, and for once it looks like the others are agreeing with me…

 

Yoko: {Running hand through hair} I’m sorry but Shinto and I do not buy this theory of yours.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} We don’t? {Innocent smile} I mean, right, right, of course we don’t haha.

 

Ugh, whyyyy… I spoke too soon didn’t I?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It seems convincing enough to me but go ahead, explain yourselves.

 

Shinto: {Bends over with finger pointing} Sure thing!

 

What is it now…? I have to prove them wrong, so that I can prove that I’m right with my theory!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Desmopressin Bottle, Fukami’s questionnaire, Rina’s account, Missing stools, Ventilation grid}

 

Yoko: {Pulling on bowtie} So according to you, Fukami is the one who assaulted Kyia…

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} But let’s get back to Kôzuke’s very first argument.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} My f-first argument?

 

Shinto: Remember the very beginning of the trial!

 

Yoko: {Runs hand through hair} You said that he could have easily overpowered her

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} Well, not if she had a way to catch him by surprise!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Fair enough…

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} … However, that’s not our only problem

 

Yoko: {Pulling on shoker} That’s right, Fukami had to do all the preparing before Reijiro entered the Gym, but when did she have the opportunity?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} It would definitely take time to hang up the body and everything…

 

Fukami: {Stoic} They are correct , I was helping put the stage together the entire afternoon, ask Akeno-san and… and Hisano-san!

 

Yoshi: I can back up moneybags… she finna be with me back then!

 

Yoko: {Starry Eyed} In conclusion, Fukami had no way to set up the crime scene nor to attack Kyia!

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Unless you manage to argue with either of our problems with your version of the events.

 

Yoko: {Blank expression}  … Then we won’t be able to support you in this one!

 

Shinto: {Proudly} Beautifully argued darling!

 

 

These two actually seem telepathic with their level of coordination. I get where they are coming from, but there is a big hole in their argument that I have to point out!

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Rina’s account → Had no way to set up the scene nor to attack Kyia

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Now that I think about it, Fukami’s actions were almost ingenious.

 

Fukami: {Confused} Hm, what can you possibly be implying by that.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Let’s think back to lunch today. After Kyia’s outburst nobody really saw him until his death, correct?

 

A few people nodded as if to agree with my statement.

 

Hayato: {Determined} And according to Rina, nobody entered the gym from 3 to around 6 PM

 

Rina: {Concentrating} Yeah, that’s right, I was chilling in the workout room and I can guarantee that none of you losers entered the gym then…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} From this fact, I assumed that Kyia and his murderer had to come way after that, at around 8:30 PM when we heard the crashing sound.

 

Reijiro: {Reads book} This can also be suggested by the calling card we found in Kyia’s room.

 

Fusume: If the candlestick had been the murder weapon then yes, the murderer and the victim must have met up at around 8:30.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Hm, this is what lead us to believe that those who didn’t attend the show were the only suspects.

 

Yoko: But… because the body was tied up like this… could it have been prepared in advance?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} We are all on the same wavelength… What I am currently wondering is… what if all this happened before 3 PM?

 

Rina: {Spits out coffee} BEFORE? But we finished lunch at around 2:00! That only like an hour for the killer to organise everything!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Yoshi, at what time did Fukami come to help you with the stage?

 

Yoshi: {Juggles balls with one hand with thoughtful expression} Ummm, it must’ve been around, 3:13, I reckon?

 

Kenji: {Raises Eyebrows} You can’t say around and then be so precise you dick!

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Truth is Yosh’ checked his Resident ID when she came to me! {Juggles more intensely} no specific reason…

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Clearly there is a reason…

 

Yoshi: {Loses control of  balls} Nononononono I swear.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} You forgot her name did you not? You used your Resident ID to check when she arrived...

 

Yoshi: {Balls hit his head} Awawawa… Ummmm maybe?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Fucking ridiculous…

 

Well that took a long detour…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Anyways, {Holds chin} This means that Fukami could have easily clubbered Kyia AND  then prepared the body in the hour she had in front of her.

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out Kunai} I don’t presume you have an alibi do you Fukami?

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} Mmh… {Stoic} Intriguing theory Seiki-san… However, at the moment all this is speculation…

 

Hayato: What do you mean?

 

Fukami: {Points at graphs} Well… I have to agree that if the crime scene  was prepared during the time frame that you proposed then yes… I would appear suspicious.

 

Kenji: Damn right you would!

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} However, you have presented no evidence to show that you are correct in assuming that. Before accusing me of the sort, I would like you to prove to this court that the preparation occured between 2:00 and 3:00 pm!

 

Yoko: {Pulling on shoker} Are you just… using the same distracting tactics that Raiko was earlier?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} All this, hoping to stall for time…

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Kyahahaha, it does seem that way!

 

Fukami: {Stoic} That is incorrect… I simply would like to see evidence before I have to… clear my name of this murder. Evidence is everything in a court of law you see.

 

She wants evidence that Kyia was attacked between 2 and 3… Well, I think I have just the right piece of evidence for that!

 

Hayato: You want evidence, Fukami… I have just the right thing for you!

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} Nonsense… I will not believe you have such a thing…

 

In all honesty, this is a piece of evidence that troubled me from the get go… it was definitely strange but, taking this all into account it now makes perfect sense.

 

Hayato: The piece of evidence that proves that Kyia was assaulted between 2:00 and 3:00 PM is…

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Calling card

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I always thought that this calling card was rather suspicious in the way it was written.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Hm… elaborate Hayato will you.

 

Hayato: Remember the way the card presented itself!

 

{Flashback}

 

MEET ME AT 2 0 :30 PM

GYM

VERY IMPORTANT

DO NOT BE LATE

 

 

Hikari: {Shocked} Could it be…? Is this the work of the killer?

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: If you look carefully, you’ll notice that the first zero and the PM were written in a different pen than the rest of the message.

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Wow… richtig ! Those look a lot thicker than the rest of the letters…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} In reality, it is not the PM itself that is written differently but rather the line that crosses through it!

 

Kenji: Tch… 20:30 PM makes no sense anyways, there’s no need to write PM when using the European style of writing time.

 

Fukami: Seiki-san, tell me… how is this proof that the killer met Taro-san before 3 PM?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Simple, when one understands why some letters differ… it actually becomes very clear.

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Why d-do they differ?

 

Hayato: These parts of the message differ because :

 

{Somebody else wrote them/They were written in a different place/They were written at a different time}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: They were written at a different time

 

===

 

Hayato: To me… there is only one possibility. The bold characters were written at a different time than the rest of the letter and with a different pen.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} This would indeed explain the difference in thickness of the characters.

 

Reijiro: I agree, the handwriting seems quite similar, hence I would exclude the possibility that two different people wrote the note.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} From all this… We can conclude that the killer wrote the message at two separate times, with the bold characters being inscribed later than the rest of it!

 

That’s it!

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Wait a second… I might be missing the obvious but why would the killer write the note in two parts…? Why not write the message all at once?

 

That is the real question with this message… however, I’ve figured it out, I know exactly what the point of this message was to begin with.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I’ll explain it to you, the point of this message was to confuse us on what time meeting was arranged at, and therefore when Kyia got attacked!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What do you mean?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Think of it this way, if the bolded characters were added later on, then we need to remove all these characters to see the original message, the one that Kyia read!

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} Remove the bolded characters… then the message will read… Oh I’ve got it.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} It reads: MEET ME AT 2:30 PM! Then that means...

 

Hayato: My point exactly, the original message set the meeting time at 2:30 PM instead of 8:30 PM as it was later doctored to say.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} N-no way…

 

Fusume: To conclude, the killer met with Kyia in the gym at 2:30 and not at 20:30… Which means that Kyia was knocked out cold before Rina came to the work out room.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Hence, the whole preparation of the crime happened before 3:00. {Points to Fukami} Which means you were fully able to partake in the crime!

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} N-no, you’ve got it all wrong!

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} It seems pretty convincing to me.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Not only that but there is really no other time for the crime scene to have been prepared if Rina was standing there all along.

 

Rina: {Yawns} My eyes don’t lie people, when I say that nobody came through… It means that you can be damn sure they didn’t!

 

Hayato: {Determined} So Fukami, what do you have to say for yourself.

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} N-no… no you’re wrong…

 

Fukami: {Stoic} Ahem, my appologies.

 

Once again, she went back to confident so quickly…

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} An elegant explanation Seiki-san… Quite convincing I do have to admit, however I do take issue with a portion of your argument.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Fukami… how are you not phased for fuck’s sake. He’s accusing you of murder!

 

Fukami: {Points at graphs} I am well aware Kimata-san. Despite Seiki-san’s attempts however, his theory does not hold for one second. I will simply show him why.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Hm, very well… as long as you know what you’re getting yourself into.

 

She’s not giving up… I have to push forward.

 

Hayato: Tell me, Fukami, what is the issue you have with my arguments so far?

 

Fukami: {Pulls out sheets} I see… the problem, Seiki-san, is that you have failed to link me to this modification of the meeting time.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I haven’t?

 

Fukami: {Points of graph} Well no. You have just said that I could have possibly done it as I do not have an alibi for that time period, but surely that is not sufficient proof to accuse me.

 

Hikari: It does open the possibility though…

 

Fukami: {Stoic} I have no time for possibilities, as long as you have not proved beyond reasonable doubt that I am the only one who had no alibi then I see no reason to pursue this.

 

Hayato: Now, wait a second...

 

Fukami: {Points at graphs} You see this downward slope Seiki-san… that is the value of your credibility this trial. {Aggressive stare} It is quickly becoming… worthless.

 

This… rage in her eyes, I’ve never seen her this way before.

 

What I’ve learnt in my research is that as people get cornered, they start showing their true colours. But Fukami… is this aggressivity her real nature?

 

Yoshi: OBJECTION!

 

What?

 

Yoshi: {Angry} THE YOSH’ BE OBJECTIN’

 

Oh boy.

 

Kôzuke: We heard you man… what are you objecting about though?

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Before y’all move on with this… can y’all be rememberin’ that the Yosh’ almost died tonight, and we be needin’ to figure out who be messin’ with my stage!

 

That’s his objection?

 

Hikari: {Softly} But Yoshi, this is… quite unrelated to the current discussion.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Yeah, idk if you noticed but we’re kind of in the middle of something.

 

Yoshi: {Angry} I DON’T CARE! THE YOSH’ WANNA KNOW!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You are not going to back down are you.

 

Yoshi: NEVER!

 

 

Dear lord…

 

Hayato: If this is such a… pressing issue to Yoshi, let us try to understand what happened to the stage tonight.

 

Yoshi: SABOTAGE! IT BE SABOTAGE.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Yoshi, shut up.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Awawawa… sorry.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} That’s better. Now be quiet and let the grown ups talk about this ok?

 

It is completely off topic yes but… the accident was quite important in the sequence of the events tonight. We need to figure out if it was just an accident or if it was… more than that.

 

Fukami: {Stoic} Very well, let us talk about this matter.

 

She’s just happy that the spotlight isn’t pointing her anymore, don’t worry Fukami we’re not done with you yet.

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Desmopressin Bottle, Yoshi’s account, Monokuma Interference, Monokuma File #1, Backstage window}

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} So we’re trying to figure out why the clown fucked up his show right?

 

Yoshi: {Angry} IT WAS SABOTAGE I BE TELLIN’ YOU!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} One of y’all definitely did something to my stage

 

Hikari: {Sad} Let’s not accuse each other just yet okay?

 

Hikari: It could have simply been an accident!

 

Yoshi: SABOTAAAAGE!

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} I know exactly what happened!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Do you now?

 

Rina: {Confident} Yuh huh, it’s all on Fukami!

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} What?

 

Rina: She was working on the stage preparation right? She must have sabotaged it to create a distraction

 

Fukami: {Stoic} Hm… sadly Ishido-san you have no proof of that, nobody here does.

 

Shinto: {Spins hate on finger} What if… what if this was Monokuma’s fault?

 

Yoko: If there’s something like this happening. It could definitely be that thing’s doing!

 

Yoshi: {Angry} Who’s the culprit! Who be doin’ this to the Yosh’? COME FORWARD!

 

 

Was it really an accident? If Fukami was directly responsible for the stage collapsing, it could drastically change our vision of the case…

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Monokuma interference → this was Monokuma’s fault?

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Shinto} YEAH YOU’RE RIGHT!

 

{BREAK}

 

That’s it… If I’m right then this will fix a big uncertainty I had about today’s events.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin}  I think I know what happened with the stage but before anything I need to confirm my thinking with a couple people.

 

Fusume: And who is that?

 

Hayato: {Determined} Shinto and Yoko! Did Monokuma interfere in any way with your preparations for the show!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} What? How did you know?

 

Yes!!! I knew it!

 

Hayato: Could you tell us exactly what he did?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Well after we’d finished with the playlist, he deleted it from the sound system we were using and replaced it with dumb country music.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} What can I say? Country music is a must-have for any type of party don’t you think?

 

Shinto: {Concerned} It was only a mild annoyance… why is it important?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Yeah, who gives a shit about a stupid music change…

 

Fusume: Is this really of any importance Hayato?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} It is… it confirms my theory that the one responsible for the stage collapsing is none other than… Monokuma!

 

Monokuma: {Overacting} WHAAAAAAAAAAT NO WAY IS IT ME, OH MY, THERE IS NO WAY!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Ahem, upupu, you have some gull accusing me of such a terrible thing.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m confused man, what’s the link between Shinto and Yoko’s playlist and the stace accident?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I’ll explain it to you… in truth, there is in no link. However, in the grand scheme of things, it proves that Monokuma interfered with every group.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hm… he did make my task quite a bit more tedious.

 

Kenji: That’s right, the fucker messed with Kôzuke and me!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} He did the same with my group…

 

Monokuma: Upupupu, I just couldn’t help myself!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} He interfered with all of us in some way… and now that we know that he also messed with Yoko and Shinto, then it’s clear that he was after every single group.

 

Yoshi: {Angry} Get to it! That ain’t related to my accident boy!

 

Hayato: Actually, it is, {Grinning} Because there is only one group that didn’t notice any interference, and that group was…

 

Hikari: {Sad} It was mine.

 

Hayato: As we all know, Hikari, Fukami and Yoshi were in charge of setting up the stage.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} So now you’re saying Monokuma didn’t fuck with the stage?

 

Shinto: It would be weird for him to only leave one group out of this mess though wouldn’t it?

 

Yoko: {Blank expression} It does seem pretty out of character for him to do that.

 

Hayato: {Determined} No, what I’m saying is that it’s weird that the only group who apparently didn’t get interfered with is the one working on the stage.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Interesting, so what is your conclusion then?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Isn’t it obvious? It’s not that Monokuma didn’t interfere with them, we just didn’t notice it. I think it’s Monokuma himself who sabotaged the stage!

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} PFFFF…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} There’s just no way!

 

Yoshi: WHAAAAAAA?

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} Hm… I see.

 

Hayato: There was no mystery saboteur, this was just another one of Monokuma’s pranks gone out of proportion!

 

 

This explains it. This is the truth behind the stage collapsing.

 

Reijiro: Monokuma… is this true?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} upupupupupu. {Red eye glowing} You got me.

 

Raiko: So it is true…

 

Yoshi: {Sad} That be it huh… it be just a prank which almost be takin’ my life…

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Sorry clown boy, I just took off a few screws here and there, didn’t think you were gonna die from it!

 

Hikari: {Sad} You monster…

 

Yoshi: {Depressed} Ah…

 

Fusume: So that clears the mystery of the stage collapsing, the saboteur was Monokuma. {Dark look} It was just a stupid prank.

 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} As tragic as this all must be for Yoshi, now that we have resolved this… we must go back to the real matters at hand.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} I have to agree. Let us go back to the matter of the meeting between the killer and the victim.

 

Hayato: Agreed, we need to concentrate on the murder!

 

Yoshi: {Depressed} My show… be ruined by a prank.

 

Yoshi is quite clearly affected by this but… we need to move on to the real stuff. Let’s keep in mind that our lives are still on the line. I need to prove that Fukami is the killer. I’ll have a word with Yoshi later.

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} So Hayato… can you prove that she went to that meeting?

 

Hm… Thinking it through, I don’t think I have any piece of evidence that shows that she went there. Damnit… how can I prove it without evidence?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Yo Hayadog… we’re waiting on ya here…

 

I need to try to flip my thinking… If I can’t prove that she went there… I need to prove that nobody else could have gone there! Maybe that will do it!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Are you going to bluff your way through this one Hayato? The people want evidence!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Well before I show you evidence, I propose we solve this by elimination, let’s establish who has an alibi for this time frame.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} “Before you show evidence” huh? Go ahead…

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Amuse me!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Sorry to ask but… when does this time frame begin man? From when to when are you asking exactly?

 

Hayato: The last time we were all together was after Kyia’s outbreak at a little bit after 2:00PM  let’s figure out everybody’s alibis from this point on to about 3:00 PM.

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in Notebook} I’ll start, I was with Yoshi on the rooftop from 2:00 until the start of the show basically. Then Fukami joined us a little bit later as Yoshi told us before. That counts as an alibi right?

 

Yoshi: {Sad} The Yosh’ agrees… our alibi be holdin’

 

Reijiro: Very well… Who is next?

 

Oriana: {Shy look}I… I… I was in J-Jessie’s room up to until 3:00 after Kyia’s… {Cries} oh… poor Kyia.

 

Jessie: {Sad} Be strong Oriana-chan, tell us what happened after!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Um… next I met T-tadao and Hayato to do the dishes and clean the lunch table and that t-took a long time um… Until about 5:00 PM I’d s-say.

 

Hayato: {Determined} Correct, I can back up what she says!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} And what about before 3:00 Hayato? Who were you with?

 

Before 3:00? The presumed time of the meeting… Wait, I was alone in the cafeteria at the time… Damn this won’t sound good… Nobody will back me up on my alibi!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Before 3:00 well I was-

 

Tadao: {Looks up} He was with me… in the cafeteria.

 

Tadao…? He… he wasn’t with me at the time! What is he doing.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Is that so?

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} Ask the eye… we both waited in the cafeteria for the ballerina to arrive. This is nothing but the truth.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Interesting… very interesting…

 

Did Tadao just lie to protect me? He knows damn well that we weren't together so why…?

 

 

As an answer of sorts, Tadao looked at me with a determined expression… showing more emotion that I’ve ever seen him display. This is… really out of character, I’ll have to talk to him about it later on… and thank him for saving my ass!

 

Hikari: Ok so… Hayato and Tadao both have solid alibis. Who’s next?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I shall tell you my alibi.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} After the victim’s… tantrum. I headed to the library to read. I have to say that…

 

Reijiro: {Points at Raiko}  she was there during the entirety of my stay, that is until precisely 3:00 PM when the other girl arrived to start working on the banners.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} That’s right hehe! Who could have guessed I’d have an alibi? Incredible!

 

Jessie: {Smile with thumbs up} Sono d'accordo , they were both there when I arrived!

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} And before that? You were with Oriana right?

 

Jessie: Oui! Oriana-chan was 300% truthful!

 

Kôzuke: {Grips podium like a steering wheel} Kenji and I got to work at around 2:00 with setting up the chair and the tents…

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} And when we were done we just stayed at the aula. He never left my sight man!

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Damn straight, we had a good manly discussion didn’t we bro?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Y-yeah yeah totally man, oh and we saw Fusume investigating the aula area… She never went too far so I’m sure she couldn’t have gone close to the gym!

 

Yoko: What… were you doing exactly Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} I decided to get more information on the potential weapons in this building… This in order to assure your security.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} However it appears that I have failed.

 

Hm… this would explain what she told me before the show…

 

{Flashback}

 

Fusume: I am worried. I sense a great danger surrounding this event. This is why I shall be an outside observer, and make sure nothing out of the ordinary happens.

 

Hmm, I guess she really is concerned about keeping us safe.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} If anyone is planning something. I will know it… and I will act upon it to keep you all safe.

 

Hayato: But Fusume… is that really necessary? It’s just a show.

 

Fusume: Nonsense! Have you not realised it yet? This resort is filled with opportunities for murder. Just look on the reception desk, there are heavy objects everywhere that are just begging to be used to kill.

 

{Ends flashback}

 

She was aware that this show was the perfect opportunity for murder… and yet she couldn’t prevent it…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Please, let us move on.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Very well thanks everyone for your accounts. Now who does that leave?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Hmmm… Without alibis for the moment we have… Rina, Shinto, Yoko and Fukami, {Straightens tie} That is if I’m not mistaken.

 

As expected Fukami is in the list of those who don’t have alibis…

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Wellll, I think I can vouch for Shinto and I haha…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} And where were you?

 

Please don’t make me regret this question...

 

Shinto: {Innocent Smile} My room… I don’t think I need to explain anymore do I.

 

Nope, please please spare me the details.

 

Oriana: Were you t-two not supposed t-to make the uhh… p-playlist for the show?

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} We did. We definitely did that among… {Innocent smile} Other things.

 

Yoko: {Blushing and drooling} Oh Shinto… Let’s… not talk about this too much in front of everyone.

 

Shinto: Yes friends, I think we should move on.

 

Ugh…

 

Hikari {Flips through notes} I guess these… uncomfortable revelations mean that the couple also has an alibi for the entire afternoon!

 

Who knew that getting laid could prove your innocence huh?

 

Kenji: {Hands on Hips} Nice one. This means that the only ones without alibis during that period were Rina and Fukami!

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} …

 

Rina: {Drops cup of coffee} HEY, don’t you dare bring me into this mess! I am so innocent, you don’t even know!

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Tell us Hayato, should Rina be considered a suspect too?

 

No way, Fukami is the only possible suspect, luckily there is a pretty easy way to prove Rina’s innocence.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Rina? Well, she has been acting like a little brat lately

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Shut up! You don’t know shit about me. Just because I didn’t wanna spend time with you losers, it doesn’t say shit. I’m innocent!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Don’t worry Rina, you cannot be considered a suspect because…

 

{She has an alibi for the actual murder/She wasn’t strong enough/She actually has an alibi for the time period}

 

===

 

 

 

ANSWER: She has an alibi for the actual murder

 

===

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Even though she has no alibi for the meeting, Rina is definitely innocent because she has an alibi for the moment of the murder itself. If memory serves, Jessie told me that both Rina and Oriana stayed in their seat all night.

 

Jessie: {Smile with thumbs up} Ik ben het eens, that is 100% truthful, there is no way Rina could have killed him!

 

Fusume: {Pensive} If Rina never left Jessie’s line of sight then yes, it’s impossible for her to be the killer.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps Medals} That means Fukami is the only one without an alibi for both times, the setting up and the actual killing…

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} O-of course there has to be a logical explanation to this.

 

Fukami is looking more and more tense, she can’t just stall much longer!

 

Raiko: {Giggles} I guess you were right then Hayato, Fukami seems to be the main suspect.

 

Hayato: {Determined} Yes, Fukami… is definitely the killer in this ca-

 

Fukami: {Rips her papers} SHUT UP, Just… just… just shut up! Let me speak.

 

As I expected… she had to crack at some point.

 

Fukami: {Rips her papers} Your alibis don’t mean jackshit! Who cares if everybody has an alibi!

 

Well, the mask is off it seems, this is the real Fukami we’re seeing.

 

Fukami: {Frantically staples sheets together} What if this was a two person job huh? Then anyone here could be lying to protect their accomplice!

 

Fukami: {Rips her papers} You can’t prove that the killer acted by themselves! There is no way!

 

Fukami: {Agressive} I. AM. NOT. GUILTY!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Fukami y-you’re scaring me…

 

Fukami: {Bangs Briefcase against podium} I DON’T CARE! Make them stop accusing me! MAKE THEM STOP!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Ahhh...

 

Who could have guessed that one of the most soft spoken of us all would turn out this brash…?

Despite her attitude she raises a good point, if two people had indeed worked together, our alibis would be put into question.

I should find a way to prove that this simply could not have been done by multiple people!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Backstage window, Resident ID rules, Monokuma File #1, Jessie’s account, Fukami’s questionnaire}

 

Rina: {Exasperated} So… not only has Fukami gone complete psychobitch on us…

 

Rina: {Yawns} But now she thinks we’re gonna believe her bullshit!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Truth is, we still have no decisive evidence against her…

 

Fukami: {Bangs briefcase against podium} You have nothing! Nothing but lies!

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} I don’t think this case has multiple culprits…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notepad} If it did, surely, there would be some sort of evidence to show that!

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} I guess it would make the killer’s workload a lot simpler to bear

 

Yoshi: {Bows} To bear? You accusin’ Monokuma now?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} ...

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} That be funny in my head ayt! Allow it!

 

Rina: You went back to cheerful quickly didn’t you…?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} No matter, Fusume, you forget that there was no point having an accomplice.

 

Yoshi: {Bows} I guess twas really dependin’ on the context !

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} None of this matters, this alibi talk brings us nowhere new!

 

 

Could this have been a two-killer crime… If it was it would change everything, I need to think this through in regard to evidence

 

===

 

SOLUTION : Resident ID rules → there was no point in having an accomplice

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Kenji} YOU’RE RIGHT!

 

{BREAK}

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} Kenji’s right!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Hell yes! I’m right y’all!

 

Hayato: Please remember rule 9 of the Resident ID rules, “If multiple residents are involved in the preparation, execution or clean up of a murder, only the one who has directly committed the crime will be considered blackened”.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Damn… and this means that if two people planned a murder only one of them could survive right?

 

Fusume: This is true as only one of them would be the one to deal the killing blow, the other one would solely be an…  accomplice.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Correct! I don’t think anybody would ever agree to such a stupid deal!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Um… w-why…  why stupid?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} By agreeing to assist in a murder, you are accepting that either you or your co-conspirator will die and this without any guarantee that you will not get double crossed!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} This would essentially be suicide.

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} It would simply make no sense for one of us to accept such a deal. I won’t believe it!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} In conclusion, I believe it is fair to say that this multiple killer theory is off the table.

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} Ngh…

 

Reijiro: {Points at Fukami} This therefore brings us back to you.

 

Fukami: {Head down} Nggggh… n-no…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Fukami! Defend yourself, please!

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} Ngh… just… just… {Frantically staples sheets together} JUST…  SHUT UP!

 

Here we go again…

 

Fukami: You… you still have no proof at ALL. You hear me!! {Bangs Briefcase against podium} No proof! NO PROOF.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Fukami, understand us please… you’re the only one without an alibi between lunch hour and 2pm, nobody else could have set up the crime scene and attacked Kyia.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} If you want us to believe you, you must prove that you could not have done it. It is as simple as that.

 

Fukami: {Rips her papers} Ngh… you don’t have any proof that the meeting happened in that time interval huh? ONLY CONJECTURE! You have no proof of anything!

 

Yoko: {Blank expression} Didn’t we prove it through that calling card?

 

Fukami: {Head down} Ngh… no… that doesn’t prove anything… it doesn’t!

 

She is simply stalling, I can’t let all this continue, I need to find definitive

proof of her guilt and end this!

 

Hayato: Fukami.

 

Fukami: {Aggressive stare} What do you want!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} You want real proof. Here’s what I propose we do. Let’s recap the timeline of event that we have agreed on so far. Thit way we’ll see any inconsistencies that pop up.

 

Fukami: {Holds head and bends backward} More theories?! That’s not real proof now is it? This is just as baseless as everything you’ve said just now. I WANT PROOF!

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} I actually think figuring out exactly the way things happened is a good way to have a clear vision of everything.

 

Reijiro: {Both hands over chest} This way, we will find out which piece does not fit in the puzzle…

 

Reijiro: {Points at Fukami}You better watch out what you say next, I believe your life is now resting on your lies.

 

Fukami: {Head down, shaking} Ngggggghhhh, s-s-stop, stop, YOU HAVE NOTHING!! …

 

Fukami: {Pulls on glasses} GRAHHHHHH

 

W-what is she doing?

 

Fukami: {Breaks glasses and screams} AHHHHHH,

 

Fukami: {Head down shaking} I’ll… I’ll… I’ll SHOW YOU!!! {Takes out chopstick and undoes hair}

 

Fukami: {Hateful expression} BRING IT ON! You’ll never get the better of me.

 

I need to prove her guilt… before she loses her shit even more.

 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} So, what should we start with man?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Let’s take it from the very beginning. I want to know what happened when Kyia and the killer met in the Gym this morning?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} When you say “the killer” you mean Fukami right!?

 

Fukami: {Hateful expression} Am I getting insulted by fucking crocodile dundee now? No one asked for you to speak so shut it.

 

Kenji: {Shocked} Where did that come from?

 

Fukami: {Stoic} Ahem Hayato, please continue now, so that I can rebut your silly little theories.

 

She called me by my first name? I’m guessing she’s too angry to continue with her polite gimmick huh …

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Desmopressin bottle, Monokuma interference, Kyia’s bandana, Bookmark, Fukami’s Questionnaires}

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} So Kyia and the killer ran into each other at the gym at around 2h30 right?

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} I wonder, was this meeting accidental?

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} No way, the calling card shows that this was planned by the killer

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Either way, Fukami then attacked Kyia with the candlestick to knock him out…  

 

Yoko: {Hands cupping cheeks} Shinto and I maintain that Kyia was too strong and tall to be knocked out like that.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Right… right. I agree haha!

 

Yoshi: {Juggles balls with one hand, thoughtful expression} If only the darn killer had a way of distractin’ Parkour Boy…

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Then it finna be fine!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Vielleicht the killer knew exactly how to hurt him, making him vulnerable to an attack.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Either way, the killer had to know what they were doing. This crime was premeditated!

 

Rina: {Annoyed} So many different ideas, can’t we just agree on something I’m really getting tired of this!

 

 

This meeting happened in a time frame which already indicts Fukami , however if I can find something else that proves she has a way to overpower Kyia, I will be in a good position to end this!

===

 

SOLUTION : Fukami’s questionnaires → The killer knew exactly how to hurt him.

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Jessie} YOU’RE RIGHT

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Jessie’s right! The murderer needed to have the upper hand on Kyia if they hoped to strike.

 

Hayato: This factor would also account for Shinto and Yoko’s point.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} So you’re saying the killer had a way to overpower Kyia despite his physical advantage?

 

Hayato: That is what I’m saying, yes.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} It’s safe to say that Kyia was stronger than most of us here.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Hey, I’d beat his ass any day of the week!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Right… {Holds chin} Anyways, there is one person here who could have easily had the upper hand…

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-who is it?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Why, Fukami of course.

 

Fukami: {Bangs desk with briefcase} What are you on about you moron! I am petite and elegant, There is no way I’d have the strength to overpower him.

 

Yoko: Well, you are quite a bit taller than the rest of the girls, so petite ? I wouldn’t say so…

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} Nghhhh…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} You are right about the size advantage Yoko, but strength is not what mattered here… In fact, it was all about wit.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Wit? What the fuck do you mean?

 

Rina: {Yawns} I’m not surprised you don’t know anything about wit, big guy.

 

Kenji: {Furious} What d’ya say bitch!?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Everyone, remember Fukami’s… {Holds chin} what did you call them? Surveys?

 

Rina: {Yawns} Yeah I remember, she handed me one on the second day here.

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} M-me too!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I believe we all got one. We foolishly thought it was to get to know us better {Smug} How stupid.

 

Fukami: {Aggressive stare} What the hell do you mean? Of course it was to get to know you better! What else would it be for?

 

Fusume: {Pulls out Kunai, dark look} Fukami… all this time, was this to gather information on us, to use it in this sort of way?

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} N-no wait. That was never my intention. The questions were so innocent. {Hateful Expression} Come on! Give me a break!

 

Were the questions all really that innocent?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I can think of at least one question in the questionnaire that could have been used against Kyia:

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Come on Hayato! Enlighten us!

 

Hayato: The question I’m talking about is:

 

{Your Hobbies/Your most embarrassing moment/Your biggest fear}

 

===

ANSWER: Your biggest fear

 

===

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} If I remember correctly one of the questions asked was “What is your biggest fear?”. This could be easily exploited in a situation like this one.

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} Ngh, N-no…

 

Kenji: {Furious} The bitch must have used Kyia’s fears against him to neutralise him then she clobbered him to put him completely out of action…

 

Fukami: {Hateful expression} Shut up! You don’t know jackshit about any of this! Just SHUT UP!

 

...

 

I know I’m on the right track… She’s on the defensive by now, all I have to do is-

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} The girl has a point.

 

He even manages to interrupt me when I’m thinking! I’m so done with this guy.

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hand} She has a point? How so…?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} This is all conjecture until we know for sure what this “fear” of his was.

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful} Ya know what that fear be… right broccoli head?

 

Fukami: {Hateful expression} There’s no way you’d know such a thing! Without that knowledge your theories don’t mean jack!

 

Argh…  I guess she’s right… It’s now crucial to figure out what Kyia was afraid of!

Judging by the way he acted since I’ve met him… I think it’s not that hard of a question to answer.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} It’s true man. What if his fear was like, dying or the dark or something abstract like that! Then there’s nothing the killer could have done to exploit that!

 

Yoshi: {Juggles balls with one hand, thoughtful expression} Maybe he was afraid of knees, just like me

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Be quiet, no one is with you on this topic, clown.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} H-hey, Genuphobia is more widespread than y’all think ayt?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Is anybody here interested in sticking to this shit?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Right, what we need is to find out what Kyia was afraid of!

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} жа́лость, we can not just ask him can we…?

Raiko: {Evil smile} No, but we can ask Fukami over here, you still have the questionnaires with you do you not?

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} Nghhh no, no, no, no. I don’t have them!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What the hell?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Why w-wouldn’t you have them!?

 

Fukami: {Hateful expression} I ripped them before… {Stoic} That’s it, I ripped them when I was angry.

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Wait, I thought those sheets were just blank! {Bead of sweat} Why would you even do that?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I thought the information on those sheets was important in getting to know us man…

 

Fukami: {Stoic} I feel more satisfaction in ripping paper when there is information to be lost, only then is it the absolute end to something. I don’t expect you to understand me.

 

Trust me, nobody will sympathise with you on this one.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans Glasses} This just seems way too convenient, you “accidentally” ripped the one piece of paper that could possibly indict you.

 

Fukami: {Stoic} What a tragic accident, wouldn’t you agree Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} This is absurd…

 

Fukami: {Aggressive stare} In reality, I agree with you Reijiro. This is all conjectures until you find out what Kyia was afraid of. And there is not one trace left of his questionnaire left so don’t bother trying to check that.

 

Damnit, I really thought I had her cornered…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato! There has to be another way.  You need to think this through… maybe you’ll understand it then.

 

Is there a way to find out his secret fear…? Let me think hard about this, it might be the key to this case.

 

LOGIC DIVE BEGINS

 

Q1: How many times did Kyia seriously lose his cool since we arrived here?

{1/2/3}

 

Q2: What commonly happened to trigger his anger?

{Somebody bled/Somebody swore /Somebody mentioned his past}

 

Q3: What is it that Kyia is afraid of?

{Blood/Heights/People finding out about his past}

 

SOLUTIONS

 

 

 

{2/Somebody bled/Blood}

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} It’s not that complicated to figure out Kyia’s fear once you think about it!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Go on… p-please continue!

 

Hayato: I’d like you all to think back to two times we saw Kyia lose his temper.

 

Rina: {Yawns} More like we saw him have a tantrum for nothing…

 

Hikari: {Sad} He was usually so calm, poor Kyia.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Thus making his outbursts even more out of character…

 

Reijiro: {Smirk} You seem to be on the right track, surely there had to be something to explain his fits.

 

Kozuke: {Grasps Medals} Well, the first time was when Fukami herself fell down the stairs on the second day.

 

Yoshi: {Bows} The second comin’ be at noon today, after lunch!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} More precisely after Oriana’s nosebleed…

 

Hikari: {Shocked} Could it be that Kyia… Oh god!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} See where I’m going with this?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Are y-you saying it’s my fault? KYAAH I’m s-so… so s-sorry!

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} No Oriana. I think he’s saying that Kyia was hematophobic. {Staring} Is that right?

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s exactly what I’m thinking.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Hematowhatnow?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I believe that Kyia was scared of blood. That was his biggest fear.

 

Fukami: {Hateful Expression} Ngh, that’s just another assumption you’re making!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} But it’s an assumption that would explain how you managed to have the upper hand on him!

 

Fukami: {Bangs Briefcase on Podium} C’MON THEN PROVE IT!

 

Alright, I’ll prove it! To her and to everyone else!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Backstage window, Monokuma File #1, Ventilation system, Desmopressin bottle, Monokuma interference}

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I guess it does make sense for his fear to be of blood.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} It would definitely explain his sudden outbursts.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Are you sure there is nothing else that could have angered him?

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} No… at least at the moment we have nothing that hints another possible cause for his anger.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} No matter all this , if he was a hematophobe, it would be easy to take advantage of this.

 

Yoko: {Blank Expression} Could it be that Fukami made herself bleed to scare him!

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} That or she found blood from somewhere else.

 

Rina {Exasperated} Where the hell would she find blood seriously. There is no place with blood just laying around!

 

Yoshi: {Flips hair} I have some face paint that be lookin’ a lot like blood, that oughta be a possibility.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Really? Well can you check if some is missing?

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} Humm, nope, it’s all here.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Then what the hell was the point of you speaking!?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Stop with all this nonsense, I think she made him bleed before attacking him.

 

Fukami: {Hateful expression} Grrr, you have no proof for any of these theories!

 

Do we really have no proof… I actually think there is one piece of evidence that could help me show everyone that Kyia’s fear of blood was indeed exploited.

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Monokuma File → she made him bleed before attacking him.

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Raiko} YEAH, YOU’RE RIGHT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Determined} Actually, Fukami we do have proof!

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} Ngh… n-nothing but nonsense.

 

Hayato: There is one last detail in the Monokuma File that we didn’t take into consideration yet, namely the cut on his right arm.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Y’all kids see that my file was useful in the end!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Indeed, the file states that the cut was quite deep, surely it was no accident.

 

Jessie: So… what does this all mean?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Well, Fukami wanted proof that she made him bleed, and here you go. I think that this cut came from the moment she attacked him and stabbed his arm, cutting him open and triggering his phobia of blood!

 

Oriana: N-n-no way!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It is actually called Hematophobia.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Cool, I…  don’t remember asking you but thanks anyways.

 

Reijiro: {Cleaning Glasses} I would simply rather you use the correct terminology in the future.

 

What the heck is this guy’s problem…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Swiftly moving on, {Holds chin} That’s gotta be sufficient proof for you Fukami!

 

Fukami: {Stoic} No.

 

Fuck.

 

Kenji: {Furious} What do you mean no!? You left marks on his body when you stabbed him, it makes perfect fucking sense!

 

Fukami: {Pulls out sheet with graphs} You see the problem is that you have proof he was stabbed in the arm sure, but you have no proof I did it.

 

Hikari: {Sad} She fights back once again…

 

Fukami:  {Points at graphs} Did any of you find a sharp weapon at the crime scene? I wonder…

 

Damn it…  it’s true that I have no idea what weapon she used to stab his arm. All I know is that she’s responsible for this.

 

Fukami: {Points at graphs} You can’t really continue with this theory without a weapon, such a shame…

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} You did stab him Fukami.

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} Ngh… what?

 

Fusume: In fact, I know exactly with what weapon, or should I say… with what tool.

 

Fukami: {Aggressive stare} W-what are you on about.

 

Fusume seems to have figured it out, again… I need to think about this, I’m sure the answer must be there somewhere. I first need to think about what Fukami always carries around with her…

 

{Flashback}

 

Fukami: Of course… Oh, before I forget Seiki-san, this might be unrelated but… {Pulls out pencil case} I think that somebody stole a black fountain pen from me… I carry this pencil case everywhere I go but, since this morning I am missing it. I do not think that I lost it therefore… I just believed it was wise to submit this to you.

Hayato: A-alright… thank you Fukami

A black fountain pen huh… that would fit the type of pen that would have written the note we found earlier. Better keep all of this in mind.

{Ends Flashback}

 

That’s it… surely there is something in the pencil case she carries in that briefcase that could be used to stab someone… Think Hayato, think!

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

-----

 

I S R C S O S S

 

===

 

SOLUTION : S C I S S O R S

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I GOT IT!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You used your scissors, I’m sure you have scissors in your trusty pencil case, don’t you Fukami?

 

Fukami: {Rips sheet while screaming} GAHH!

 

I’ve got her now..

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} N-nooooo. No I don’t… I don’t!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You will give us your scissors for examination at once

 

Fukami: {Hateful Expression} If it’s blood you think you’ll find, you’re mistaken, idiots!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-why is that?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Mmh, she probably washed her scissors after using them don’t you think?

 

He’s right, it would seem logical.  Hmm… How can I prove that she used them?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} If only we were in one of those Detective TV Shows…

 

Rina: {Yawns} Why do you say that?

 

Shintoi: {Spins hat on finger} I remember the detectives always had that powder thing that you could apply onto materials and see blood that was washed off.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} I believe you are referring to Luminol Powder.

 

Shinto: {Awkwardly} Oh, um maybe I am

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I’d rather you use the correct terminolo-

 

Kenji: {Furious} SHUT UP, SHUT UP, PLEASE SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH WITH YOUR STUPID TERMINOLOGY.

 

 

Damn…

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Calm down you… you animal.

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} Either way, she’s right. Luminol Powder would come in handy right now.

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} Speak no more, your favorite Bear/Director/Beauty King has exactly what you need.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Don’t even get me started on that comment.

 

Yoko: {Shocked} You’ve got it? really??

 

Monokuma: {Belly Laugh} Yup, but it is too precious to share with you bastard upupupu. Give me those scissors and I’ll perform a luminol test for you right now.


Jessie: {Stroking chin} But… why are you so keen on helping us?

 

Monokuma: {Evil Grin} This trial has gone on for too long this chapter is already above like 10,000 words!

 

Hayato: This what now?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Forget about it, I just don’t wanna get bored so Imma help you finish this. Now if I can just get ahold of them scissors.

 

Fukami: {Tightens Grip on briefcase} N-no give them back, you stupid little…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} A little bit of this, and this and finally this. Poof and Bob’s your uncle! Here you go.

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} if blood was previously present, a blue trace should be visible.

 

Kôzuke: Let’s see these scissors then.

 

{Camera shows the scissors after the luminol test was completed}

 

Wow, the scissors are, almost completely blue. There was definitely whole lot of blood on them. This is it. It’s gotta be over for her.

 

Fusume: {Pulls out Kunai, dark look} So Fukami, what do you have to say for yourself now?

 

Fukami: {Head down, shaking} Ngh…

 

Fukami: {Repeatedly bangs briefcase on podium} NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOO.

 

Fukami: {Out of breath} Wait, you… you have no proof this is Kyia’s blood. It could have been mine, I cut myself a long time ago, b-by accident.

 

Fukami: {Aggressive stare} Yes that’s it. It’s my blood. You still have no real evidence!

 

She’s still desperately hanging on, I see…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} You are not giving up giving up until we have definitive proof is that right?

 

Fukami: {Hateful Expression} You have nothing! NOTHING YOU HEAR ME!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps Medals} Monokuma man, can’t you confirm it was Kyia’s blood?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Nope, the final blow has to be administered by you bastards, I’m not gonna do all the work now am I?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} But you just said you were gonna help, you… you, you dick!

 

Monokuma: {Evil Grin} Guess I lied upupu.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} We are so close…

 

 

Fukami is acting so obviously guilty and yet she is not giving up. I am just missing decisive proof of her guilt. I need to find that piece of evidence right now and finish this.

 

Hayato: {Determined} Alright I’m getting tired of this. Let’s get it over with shall we.

 

Hikari: {Sad} W-what are you going to do Hayato?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Fukami wants evidence, then let’s go back to my original proposition.

 

Hayato: We will picture the exact moment of the killing and find out the missing piece of the puzzle. We will finally put this matter to bed.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Agreed.

 

Yoshi: {Poses} Ayt’ friends, let’s do this.

 

Fukami: {Aggressive stare} {Hateful expression} You better prepare to crash you worthless scum… I… will not be outbid…

 

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Missing stool, Monokuma interference, Kyia’s Chalk Powder, Kyia’s bandana, Monokuma File #1

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} So Kyia woke up  and untied himself from the ceiling gymnastic bars…

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up smiling} Ja klar, then he made his way to the backstage window without touching the floor

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} That’s because he saw his killer, he was hungry for blood and revenge…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} He reached the window, and attacked his killer discreetly, maybe he tried strangling them.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Or he simply wanted to beat them to death

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Well one way or another, the killer overpowered him and pushed him out right?

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} This even though Kyia was so much stronger than the rest of us.

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Kyia fell down, his little head first. He oughta died instantly.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} I might be repeating myself, but maybe Kyia should have left a trace in doing all that...

 

Rina: {Yawns} What’s up with you and traces.

 

Fukami: {Hateful expression} Even if that is exactly what happened. It does not prove I did any of it!

 

 

This does seem like an accurate recap of all that happened. So what can I exploit to prove Fukami is the killer? What does not fit? That’s the real question

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Kyia’s chalk powder → maybe Kyia should have left a trace in doing all that

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Fusume} YOU’RE RIGHT

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Fusume’s right, it all comes down to the traces that Kyia left.

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} AGAIN?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses}} Hold on a minute, I do not recall finding any traces around the backstage window. Please explain yourself.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Yeah, there was fuck all at that window, I’m sure of it.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} That’s exactly the problem guys. There SHOULD have been traces left but there weren’t any.

 

Kenji: {Pulling on shirt collar} W-what the hell?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What kind of traces are you talking about man…?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Remember Kyia’s fanny pack…

 

Rina: {Exasperated} Ew yeah, that insult to style! I’ve rarely seen worse colour combination, which is a shame… he was kinda cute tbh…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Are you done?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Ugh shut up you monk!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Monk?

 

Can I finish one sentence without someone interrupting me with something completely unrelated?  Is that freaking possible?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Hm, what is of interest are the contents of the fanny pack.

 

Jessie: {Confused} Okay… Go on.

 

Hayato: The fanny pack is where Kyia kept his chalk powder.

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Chalk p-powder?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yeah, it acted as an anti friction type thing and was necessary to avoid slipping, at least that’s what he told me.

 

Hikari: {Sad} But Hayato…  his fanny pack was open when we found his body.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} And powder was spilled everywhere on his remains.

 

Yoko: {Surprised} Oh my god, I get where you’re going Hayato!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Kyia must have used his powder when he went from the gymnastic bars to the window, as a precaution.

 

Yoshi: {Juggling with one hand,thoughtful expression} The lad probly didn’t wanna be fallin’ down I reckon.

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} So you’re saying that his hands were covered with powder?

 

Hayato: {Determined} Precisely, and that means that when he attacked Fukami, he must have left powder on her clothes and her body!

 

Fukami: {Frantically staples sheets together} Ngh… you have no proof!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} HOLD IT!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Yes Kôzuke?

 

Kôzuke: {Holds podium like steering wheel} You gotta remember that you and I saw Fukami right after the second crashing noise.

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} And she definitely had no powder on her man!

 

Fukami: {Hateful expression} The midget’s right! You would have noticed if I had powder on me!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} Midget!?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Can you confirm this Hayato?

 

Hayato: It is true… she definitely wasn’t covered in powder when we found her…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Maybe Kyia simply didn’t attack her! He wouldn’t hurt anyone! If he didn’t touch her she wouldn’t be covered in powder.

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s not possible Hikari, Fusume definitely had to come in contact with him to push him out the window…

 

Hikari: {Sad} … Poor Kyia.

 

Kenji: {Raised Eyebrow} Wait a second dude… doesn’t what you’re saying kinda make her seem innocent?

 

Shinto: The missing powder is definitely a bit suspicious I’d say.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Her not being powdered would lead me to believe she didn’t touch Kyia…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} That’s not how I see it. This just asks the question: How did she get rid of the powder that should be left on her clothes? A question that I will answer… right now!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph ,before you do that, I have an alternative question I’d like to ask you Hayato.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Go ahead.

 

What now… I was in the middle of a badass explanation god damnit!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} You see, I would like to know how you think the victim attacked attacked the killer.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Where you goin’ with this smartypants?

 

Reijiro: {Points at Fukami} I have simply noticed that she bears no visible injuries.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Oh my… das ist rightig!

 

Reijiro: {Smirk} If the victim wanted to hit her hard, considering his strength, it would have left a mark on her.

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} There are no marks on me… not an injury… not one.

 

He makes a valid point, this whole theory is based on Kyia attacking Fukami but being so strong, if he wanted to kill her he would have managed…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I will tell you exactly how he attacked her.

 

Hikari: {Holds chin} Reijiro, you’re right, many ways he could have attacked, would leave terrible marks on her body. Since Fukami does not SEEM particularly injured, I believe Kyia tried killing her through:

 

{Poisoning/Strangulation/Brute Force}

 

===

 

 

 


ANSWER: Strangulation

 

===

 

That’s it… the question is not how he could have attacked her and not left marks but rather, how she concealed those marks!

 

Hayato: {Determined} I can only think of one, he tried strangling her. This is why there were no injuries left visible on her body.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} But wait! Strangulation does leave injuries, that can’t be right.

 

Reijiro: {Points at Hikari} Strangulation does indeed leave marks but coincidentally, Fukami hides her neck with her collar.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Ah!

 

Fukami: Ngh…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Would you care showing your neck to us, I am quite certain that bruises will become apparent.

 

Fukami: {Bangs briefcase on podium} Ngh…  NO, NO… NOOO!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps Medals} Wait a second man, you’re saying he strangled her right?

 

Hayato: Sure, that’s what I think.

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Then how did he strangle her, like with his hands or with what weapon?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} That is a good question, but the answer is obvious to me.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Then go on, fucking say it!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Kyia had the perfect weapon for strangulation on him the entire time and that was:

 

{His bandana/His hands/A rope}

 

===

 

ANSWER: His Bandana

 

===

 

Hayato: {Grinning} He used his bandana of course.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} His b-bandana?

 

Hayato: He wasn’t going to use his hands… I think that is simply too morbid. The easy option was to use his bandana as a weapon.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} He… he wouldn’t.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} It was an ideal tool to strangle someone, all he had to do was wrap it around her neck and pull.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes, that does appear to make sense,

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} If that is the case, then we can assume that he attacked Fukami from behind.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Huh, and why would ‘dat be?

 

Fusume: Strangling with a rope type object would require it to be wrapped around the victim’s neck...

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And then pulled backwards! Thus it can only be done from behind!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yes, I also think this is how it went.

 

Rina: That makes no sense, you’re saying he saw her through the backstage window and that means she must have been right in front of the window!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah what the fuck, there was no way that he was behind her. There was nothing behind her but the window.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Come on Hayato, I’m sure you have an answer for that.

 

Hm… was it impossible for Kyia to be behind Fukami… I don’t think it was… In fact, it can be explained pretty simply.

 

Kenji: {Furious} What do you have to say to that Hayato?!

 

Hayato: The explanation for this inconsistency is that :

 

{Kyia was hanging from outside the window/Fukami was not next to the window anymore/Kyia didn’t attack Fukami}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: Kyia was hanging from outside the window.

 

===

 

Hayato: I don’t think Kyia ever actually entered the backstage room.

 

Kenji: {Pulling on shirt} WHAT?

 

Shinto: Didn’t you just say that he attacked her? How did he do that without being there.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Oh trust me he was there… just not in the room!

 

Jessie: {Confused} My… head hurts.

 

Reijiro: {Pointing at Hayato} Explain yourself, at once.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I believe that our parkour specialist simply held on from the window frame and attacked Fukami without entering the room.

 

{Camera shows black and white image of Kyia strangling Fukami with his bandana while hanging on the window frame with his legs}

 

Oriana: Was h-he really strong enough to… uhm… hang on like that?

 

Hayato: I think we can assume that he had enough core strength… This was his talent after all.

 

{Camera goes back to normal}

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} So you’re saying that he attacked her through the window is that it?

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s exactly what I’m saying!

 

Fukami: {Holds head} Ngh… n-no…

 

Rina: {Yawns} I guess that could be true, even though I’d like to see evidence before you make such claims…

 

Fukami: {Frantically staples sheets together} Th-thats… that’s… that’s right, where the hell is your evidence huh

 

Fukami:{Rips sheets} STOP THIS FOR GOD’S SAKE.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Just pull down your shirt and show us your neck.

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} What…?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} If your neck is bruised it will prove the theory wouldn’t you agree?

 

Fukami: Ngh…

 

Fukami: {Hateful expression} No it won’t!

 

Reijiro: {Step back distraught} What can you possibly mean?

 

Fukami: {Aggressive stare} I could have hurt myself any other way, it still isn’t decisive evidence.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} But why hide that injury from us then?

 

Fukami: {Bangs briefcase on podium} Ngh, STOP STOP STOP!

 

We have her cornered now, all I need to do is-

 

Oriana: {Trembles} E-excuse me, I have a q-question.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Go ahead Oriana.

 

Can I never get to the end of a thought with these people

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Well y-you said that… that t-the bandana was used to strangle Fukami but w-was it not covered in b-blood?

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Damn, that’s a good point.

 

Kozuke: {Looks to side} She’s right man, he definitely had bled from that candlestick strike

 

Kenji: {Raised Eyebrow} But didn’t most of the blood come from when he fell?

 

That’s also a good point, well I need to ask myself wether the blood on the bandana come mostly from the candlestick shot or the final fall?

 

{Candlestick/Fall}

 

===

 

ANSWER: Candlestick

 

===

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} As weird as it sounds, it had to come from the candlestick blow, if you remember the state of the body when we found it. Kyia’s bandana was not on his head but rather next to the body.

 

Fusume: Right, but it wasn’t directly in the pool of blood.

 

Hayato: {Determined} Meaning that  the blood was already on it before he fell to his death.

 

Yoko: So that means the blood definitely came from the first candlestick shot!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, now that this matter is cleared we can go back to… {Points at Oriana} your point.

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilate} Y-yes… yes sorry.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} There is one obvious conclusion to make from what we have just discovered.

 

Shinto: That conclusion being ?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Simple, if there was blood on the bandana before he used it as a weapon, why was there no blood on our alleged killer

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Would the blood not simply have dried?

 

Reijiro: I do not think so… it was left on an open wound… and with the ventilation in the gym it would probably take a long time for blood to dry.

 

Kozuke: {Grasps medals} So… we’re saying that there should be Kyia’s blood on Fukami right now?

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Let’s not be forgettin’ the chalk powder we talked about as well. I reckon some must have landed on Fukami’s clothes.

 

They’re right, both Kyia’s blood and his chalk powder must have spread when he attacked Fukami.

 

However,  we found no trace of either on her clothes. Kôzuke and I would have seen it if she was bloodied.

 

The question is how did she get rid of all these stains so quickly.

 

Hayato: What we need to find out is just how Fukami got rid of these stains!

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hand} I see, we are faced with a problem, for the very last time let’s discuss this through and find an answer to the question of why there were no stains on Fukami.

 

Let’s do this, I will conclude this trial, I have to…

 

Rina: {Close up on face} UMM, NO THAT’S NOT HAPPENING

 

{Split screen between Rina and Hayato} 

 

Rina: {Yawns} I’m tired of wasting time, we are not going to debate this again when the answer is so simple.

 

She already knows the answer?  I’m expecting the worst but I’ll listen to what she has to say…

 

===

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

{Truth Blades: Kôzuke’s account, Yoshi’s Account, Rina’s account, Jessie’s account}

 

Rina:

 

Omg, am I the only one to see how obvious this is?

 

It IS called the backstage area guys

 

You know where I’m going with this…

 

ADVANCE

Hayato: Nope,  I have no clue where you’re heading

 

Rina:

 

Let me shine some light

 

In your empty skull

 

There were changing rooms backstage

 

The killer simply used those

 

With new clothes prepared in advance

 

And just like that the stains are gone duh

 

 

The flaw in her logic is pretty obvious but it did allow me to think and now I believe I know exactly how she managed to get rid of the stains.

First things first let’s show Rina why her argument doesn’t make sense.

===

 

 

 


SOLUTION : Yoshi’s account → The killer simply used those

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Determined} Rina that would only be a possibility if the changing rooms were usable, but they were not!

 

Rina: {Spits coffee) WHAT?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I swear those changing rooms were open before!

 

Hayato: {Determined}Maybe, but you definitely couldn’t open them tonight!

 

Kôzuke: Why is that?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Yoshi, it’s your time to shine!

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} To shine? As in what type of shining? Maybe you be wantin’ me to put on my light reflectant outfit, very useful for the old magic routine…

 

This guy, this freaking guy.

 

Yoshi: {Juggles balls with one hand, thoughtful expression} That’s not what you meant? {Bows} Oh I get it!

 

Thank god.

 

Yoshi: {Poses} You mean shine as in The Shining. I be knowin’ my lines everyone. *ahem* HERE’S YOSHI!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Can you shut the fuck up and just answer the goddamn question!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Yeah Yoshi I meant can you tell everyone about what you told me, remember? Changing rooms and whatnot.

 

Yoshi: {Arms extended over head} OOOH, right sorry, you oughta be clearer next time.

 

I’m sorry I forgot you were too incompetent to understand a simple direction.

 

Yoshi: {Sad} So, um yeah after that lil technical difficulty I had on stage,

 

Yoshi: {Juggles balls with one hand, thoughtful expression} I went to the changing room to freshen up and… it was occupied.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} By who?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} It’s by whom actually.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Oh my god ,can you stop acting like a constant asshat and then can we please answer my question for fucking fucks sake!

 

Damn.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Wellll, from the whatchamacallit… umm inappropriate sounds the Yosh’ heard emanatin’ from the changing rooms. I believe it be good old Ultimate couple over there.

 

Shinto: {Blushes} ...

 

Yoko: {Awkward} Umm yeah, maybe we were in there but that is none of your business. We needed some down time it was rather… hot outside.

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} When you say down time do you mean you went down on…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} That’s enough.

 

Shinto: {Innocent Smile} Yes Yoko and I were in the changing rooms around when the accident on stage happened. However, there is no need to discuss this issue in more detail. {Bends over with finger pointing} Let’s move on yeah?

 

I really don’t think anyone wanted details but sure let me get my train of thought back on track.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} As I was saying, it was impossible for Fukami to use the changing rooms so there had to be another way for her to get rid of the stains.

 

Rina: {Yawns} Guess I was wrong then lmao.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Did you just use an acronym in real life… seriously?

 

Shinto: If Rina’s theory’s been blown out then how did Fukami get rid of the blood and the chalk? There had to be a way, right?

 

Fukami: {Hateful expression} No there wasn’t because I AM INNOCENT! Don’t you get that by now?

 

Hayato: Actually there was a way, a very obvious way.

 

Fukami: Ngh… nonsense…

 

Hayao: I have no idea how I missed it before. {Grinning} I think this will be the very last nail in the coffin for you Fukami!

 

Fukami: {Bangs briefcase against podium} BRING IN ON!

 

Hayato: {Determined} To get rid of the stains, you used this!

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

-----

 

W M P S N O I G M I O L

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : S W I M M I N G  P O O L

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I GOT IT!

 

Hayato: {Determined} You used the inflatable swimming pool backstage of course.

 

Fukami: {Frantically staples sheets together} GAAAH

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} No way man!!!!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} So you’re saying she didn’t accidentally slip? I can’t believe it…

 

Hayato: {Grinning} It was no accident, it was a ruse.

 

Fukami: Nghhhhh…

 

Hayato: {Thinking} When you heard Kôzuke and I coming backstage, you probably panicked and thought the best way to get rid of the blood on your neck and the chalk on your clothes was by jumping in the swimming pool.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} So. you waited until we arrived and pretended to slip and fall. That is the only truth.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Even if it did not all wash out completely, you used a towel to hide what was left. This is why you were hanging on to that towel the way you were.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} All this in an attempt to fool us. The veil has been lifted on your lies. Now admit to your guilt Fukami!

 

Fukami: {Hateful Expression} NOOOO,

 

Fukami: You have no proof, I could have slipped, you have noth-

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Actually there is proof.

 

Fukami: {Rips sheets while screaming} WHAAT?

 

Reijiro: {Opens book} You see, chalk is made of calcium carbonate which is not soluble in water, a simple chemical test using Hydrochloric Acid will determine if the compound is present in the swimming pool water.

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} You can be sure that this resort has a science lab furnished with all the chemicals you’ll need for that test!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} A science lab in a holiday resort?

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} For once, your science is not boring and useless.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Mmph in other words, if you were in contact with the victim before you fell in the water, it will be easy to prove.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} It’s all over, if you have any type of honour you should admit to your crimes.

 

Fukami: {Hateful expression} NO, NO, I’ve been framed. {Desperate} that’s it. It’s all a conspiracy. They wanted my money! I’m innocent. I’M INNOCENT!!

 

Hayato: {Determined} There’s no point in denying it. All the evidence points to you, and the presence of chalk in the swimming pool will ultimately prove your guilt.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Not only that, but there is one more aspect of the scene that indicts you, now that I think about it.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} What is it?

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} Think about where the body fell, and where the candlestick was found, it’s simple really…

 

Hayato: Where the candlestick was found…?

 

Fusume: {Face resting on hands} Remember that the body did not fall where the killer thought it would fall.

 

Fusume: And because the candlestick was so close to where we found the body what if…?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Do you get where I’m going with this?

 

Could it be… If what she’s saying happened the killer really wasn’t lucky…

If Fusume’s right then I get where she’s going… Fukami was the only one who could have fixed this mistake made by the killer.

 

Fukami: {Frantically staples sheets} I’m not done yet!!

 

When will she learn to give up? She has been lying this entire time. But she will not escape, I won’t let her.

 

Fukami: {Bangs briefcase against podium} You all are just teaming up against me. STOP IT!

 

I need to tell everyone about Fusume’s idea… With that, Fukami will not be able to argue her way out of the truth.

 

Fukami: {Hateful Expression} You will not get away with accusing me like this, I am innocent I tell you!!

 

Alright Fukami, It’s you against me now!

 

PANIC TALK ACTION

BEGIN

 

Fukami: {Hateful Expression} All the evidence you have, could have been made up!

 

Fukami: {Points at graph} Truth be told, this is an elaborate set-up to target me.

 

Fukami: {Rips sheets}  BUT IT WILL NOT WORK! YOU WON’T GET MY MILLIONS.

 

Fukami: {Bangs briefcase against podium}I’m not the murderer, the probability of that is a flat zero!

 

Fukami: {Points at graph} All the evidence was planted, in the pool for example. It’s all fabricated!

 

Fukami: {Frantically staples sheets} At the end you have nothing, you’ve made a bad trade!

 

Fukami: {Hateful expression} Only conjectures and complicated detours! Nothing with any value whatsoever!

 

FINAL STRIKE

Fukami: So tell me: what’s your decisive piece of evidence that I killed Kyia?

 

             Arrived

On the scene         Fukami

                First

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION: Fukami arrived first on the scene

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} IT’S OVER FOR YOU!

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s it! You’re not getting out of this one Fukami.

 

Fusume: {Smiles}You got it Hayato,  I expected no less of you.

 

Hayato: Everything did not go to plan for the killer because of how Kyia ended up dying.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Hm, he was supposed to fall from the ceiling bars but he ended up falling from the window right?

 

Fusume: {Confident}Because he set himself free from the restraints, He did not end up falling where she wanted him to fall, that’s right.

 

Hayato: {Determined} Precisely, and that was a problem because Fukami knew the candlestick was also positioned right under the window.

 

Kôzuke: Why is that?

 

Hayato: Don’t you remember Kôzuke?

 

{Flashback}

*bong*

That sounded like metal hitting concrete... It was faint yet loud enough for me to notice it.

Hayato: Did you hear that?

Kôzuke: Hear what?

Hayato: Hm, forget about it...

If he didn't hear it then it was probably nothing...   

{Ends Flashback}

Hayato: {Holds chin} I didn’t pay much attention to it back then but that sound, it must have been the sound of Fukami throwing the candlestick through the window while you and I weren't looking.

 

Fukami: N-no…

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} But why didn’t she get rid of it earlier.

 

Hayato: That I cannot tell, maybe to defend herself if Kyia woke up… who knows. However, because she threw it out the window, when she killed Kyia she knew…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Wouldn't you guys have noticed if she was just carrying a bloody weapon around?

 

Hayato: Not necessarily... she could have hidden it in her briefcase!

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} Nghhhhhhh.

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} Either way, she knew that Kyia had fallen on top of her supposed murder weapon, the candlestick.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} And that’s because they both came out the window…

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Oh, I reckon she was in quite the pickle.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Pickle indeed, it would make no logical sense for the victim to have fallen over the object which supposedly hit him on the head. Simply impossible.

 

Fukami: {Hateful expression} But wait! He wasn’t lying on the candlestick when we found him was he? What are you saying!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well, when Hikari, Kôzuke and I found the body, no. The candlestick was a few feet from the body.

 

Fukami: {Frantically staples sheets} EXACTLY!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} But you got there before we did, Fukami. If he had fallen on the candlestick. You’d be the only one who could have moved him.

 

Hikari: {Sad} If I remember correctly, after you’d ran to his corpse. You turned him over to “check his pulse”.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Of course, this was another one of your lies was it not.

 

Fukami: {Bangs briefcase on podium} GAHHH!!! NOO!

 

Hayato: {Determined} You’re the only one who had access to the body before the rest of us did. This is the final piece of evidence.

 

Hayato: You being the first to the body proves your guilt without a doubt!

 

Shinto: {Proudly} This is why you ran so fast to the body. You’d seen through the window he’d landed on your fictitious murder weapon. Problematic for you right.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} There is no use in fighting back, a simple study of the 3D maps on our Resident IDs will be enough to prove that the candlestick was indeed situated right under the window you dropped it from.

 

Jessie: {Pointing Finger} This is when your luck runs out.

 

Hayato: {Determined} Fukami Ota, it’s over. You killed Kyia Taro!

 

...

 

I’ve done it, I think she’s given up.. All the aggressivity has turned into fear, as she is shaking and sweating like she just ran a marathon.

 

 

It’s over, finally.

 

Fukami: {Bent over on podium, hair covering face} P… Please stop… Please…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato, I propose that you go over everything that happened tonight, so we can have the full picture.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} This way there will be no way for Fukami to escape her guilt.

 

I guess I can do that, this is the final step to getting her to admit it.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Upupupu, it has become tradition by now for the protag to do this. Come on, let’s go over the case in its entirety, one final time!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Protag?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} How can this be tradition… are you saying that this isn’t the first killing game you’ve supervised?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Who knows upupu, you’ll find this out in due time.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Don’t mind the bear Hayato, finish this.

 

I can’t let myself be distracted… I have to end this, once and for all!

 

Notes:

Next chapter, we wrap up this first trial and this first chapter as a whole. It's been a hell of a ride but I think I'm pretty happy with the final result.

I'd also like to thank everyone reading this for 1000 hits, it's a pretty big milestone and I hope that this fic can keep on growing, I'll do my best in future updates.

As usual, comments are super appreciated.

Happy new year everyone and see you in 2019 :)

Chapter 15: Chapter 1 : Trusting is Letting Go : Class Trial part 5

Notes:

I managed to finish this earlier than expected, enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

CLOSING STATEMENT BEGIN:

 

Hayato: Here is everything that happened in this case!

 

Act 1

 

This whole murder plot was imagined by the killer after they discovered through their questionnaire Kyia’s biggest fear: blood.

 

The killer therefore verified Kyia’s hematophobia by falling in the stairs right as he was coming along, therefore making themselves bleed. Kyia’s reaction was clear and there was no doubt in the blackened’s mind anymore.

 

After examining the gym and the rooftop area, they realised how convenient the ventilation grid’s placement was to assist in a murder.

 

This is when the killer came up with a plan, encouraged by Monokuma’s motive.  

 

Act 2

 

Yoshi’s show was the perfect opportunity for the killer to strike while giving themselves an airtight alibi. They therefore took their plan a step forward once the show was confirmed.

 

On the morning of said show, the culprit had planned to arrange a meeting with Kyia, but that was made impossible after Kyia’s fear was triggered again, this time by Oriana’s nosebleed. Because they could not speak to Kyia in person anymore. The killer had to quickly improvise.

 

They slipped a paper under Kyia’s door arranging a meeting at 2:30 PM. What was ingenious in the production of this note was the way it was written. By purposefully leaving a space between the two and the three, the killer later managed to doctor the note which now read “Meet me at 20:30”, thus further implying that Kyia was killed in the gym at around that time.

 

Act 3

 

At 2:30 PM, not long after Oriana’s accident, the killer was awaiting the victim’s arrival. Kyia, despite his panic attack after being exposed to blood, still cared for his classmates and decided to go investigate the gym… this proved to be a fatal mistake.

 

When Kyia arrived at the gym, the killer quickly got to work. The victim was very buff and strong, in a one on one fight, the killer had no chance, but they had an advantage that would be crucial: knowledge of Kyia’s weakness.

 

The killer stabbed Kyia in the arm with their scissors. This caused the reaction that they expected. Kyia panicked and fell to his knees in the process, probably crying out in pain and in fear.

This was exactly what the culprit wanted, they now had the upper hand on Kyia and had the perfect opportunity to strike. They used the candlestick they had picked up from the main aula and hit him as hard as they could, knocking him out.

 

The candlestick was not solid enough to kill him, but it was definitely sufficient to knock him out cold. The killer then moved to the next stage of their plan. They used the hoister to get up to the ceiling and used a sturdy looking rope that they found in the storage room to tie Kyia up to the ceiling bars from his feet up. They also used a piece of cloth to tie his hands together. Finally they went back down thanks to the hoister and went to their arranged meeting at 3:00 PM to set up the stage up on the roof, giving themselves an alibi for the rest of the afternoon.

 

Act 4

 

Later that evening, the show was to start and the culprit could move on to the next step of their plan.

 

What they hadn’t seen coming was that during the afternoon, both Reijiro and Raiko would find Kyia’s unconscious body in the gym. Luckily for the culprit, neither acted up, either because of fear or the desire to mess with the killer’s plans…

 

The other factor that the blackened had not taken into account was that Yoshi decided to ask them along with Kôzuke and I to stay backstage during the whole show. This was a big problem for the killer who would look suspicious if they refused and the body was found, but at the same time would miss on their opportunity to drop Kyia to his death, thus leading to him waking up and fingering them as the one who tried to kill him. The killer decided in the end to grant Yoshi’s demand and accept defeat. Their plan had seemingly failed.

 

While in the backstage area the killer got rid of the bloody candlestick they kept in their briefcase by throwing it out of the window while Kôzuke and I were not looking.

 

On the other side of the ceiling, down at the gym. Kyia woke up. He managed to get rid of the cloth that contrived his hands and untied his legs. He could have easily gone down back to the floor to get some help, but he decided otherwise after seeing his killer through the backstage window. Kyia was hungry for revenge on the person who’d tried to take his life…

 

Act 5

 

Thanks to his talent, Kyia had no problem manoeuvring himself all the way to the backstage window, under which he patiently waited for his opportunity to catch his killer alone.

 

Luckily for him, at that moment two separate events took place in the rooftop area. Firstly, Raiko used the pretext of going to get drinks for everyone to enter the drinks tent and untie the rope that Kyia was previously tied to before hiding it in the tent. She believed that he was still tied to the rope and attempted to kill him, using another person’s plan and escaping instead of the killer who had plotted it all.

 

Secondly, on stage, Yoshi had an accident. Because of Monokuma sabotaging the stage frame, the top of it fell on Yoshi, trapping him under the rubble. The commotion was loud enough to bring me and Kozuke back on the other side of the curtain. This was the opportunity Kyia had been waiting for.

 

Hanging on the window frame, he used his bloody bandana to strangle the killer without even setting foot in the room. The sound was hidden by the circus music still playing loudly in the background. The killer tried to defend themselves but Kyia was too strong and he was probably close to killing them. It was at the last minute that the culprit managed to escape by pushing him out of the window. Kyia fell 10 meters to his death.

 

Act 6

 

It was not over for the killer yet, who was now covered in blood and chalk powder, with Kôzuke and I coming back to the backstage area, they were going to get discovered, this is when they had yet another crazy idea.

The culprit used the inflatable swimming pool to conceal these marks. They used their usual excuse of being clumsy and jumped in the pool just as we entered the room, thus washing the chalk away from them and now using the towel to hide any remaining trace of blood.

 

Finally, the culprit had one more problem to deal with, when they got to the body, they realised that because of the change of plan, Kyia had fallen right on their fake murder weapon which would make it impossible for the candlestick to have taken Kyia’s life. They therefore flipped Kyia’s body around and dragged him away from the candlestick, under the pretext of checking his pulse to hide their final mistake from us.

 

The only one who could have done all this… and therefore the true killer in this case…

 

{Camera shows Hayato pointing his finger towards a grey figure staring down at their podium with disbelief}

 

It was you! Fukami Ota, the Ultimate Businesswoman!

 

{The grey figure is revealed to be Fukami}

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Determined} This is the way it happened. There is no doubt in my mind.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Fukami… did he get it all right?

 

Fukami: {Bent over on podium, hair covering face} Ngh…

 

Reijiro: I believe that is a yes…

 

Jessie: {Sad} Fukami-chan… are you okay?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Who cares if she’s okay? She killed Kyia!

 

Jessie: {Tears} That doesn’t change the fact that she’s my friend!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I don’t want to do this… I don’t want to condemn her…

 

Condemning her… that’s basically what we’re doing here, in a couple minutes’ time, she’s going to die… because we found out she was the killer.

 

Kozuke: {Grasps medals} Argh… Fukami, why?

 

Fukami: {Bent over on podium, hair covering face} I… I…

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Come on, stop stalling, it’s all over. Speak!

 

Fukami: {Resentful} Just get over with quickly… please. I have had enough…

 

Fukami… why did you have to do it… we could have all been happy and now we’re going to lose another one of out classmates… this is not fair.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Bear.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Youse talking to me?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} D’you see any other bear around?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} That is a fair point you’re making Kenji, very fair point upupu!

 

Reijiro: Tell us, what happens now? You talked about some sort of voting process correct?

 

Monokuma: {Amused} You’re damn right! It’s time to vote boys and girls! Please vote for who you think the blackened is thanks to the screen on your podium… C’mon, c’mon I don’t have all day!

 

Hikari: {Sad} What if I don’t vote?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Then you die.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Ahh…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} This ain’t some sort of shitty election, no abstentions… everybody has to vote.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye shining} Don’t forget that your lives are on the line.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} You heard the bear, please vote…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … we have had enough casualties for one day.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Tch, if we gotta do it then might as well…

 

Fusume: {Bows head} I am very sorry for this Fukami… it just has to be done. Please, do not take it personally.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… don’t want to…

 

The screen on my podium suddenly lit up, everybody’s faces displayed in a circle. Not being left with much of a choice I selected Fukami and pressed on the confirm button.

 

Monokuma didn’t lie when he said that we were acting as judge, jury and executioner. He’s really making us feel that we’re the ones sending her to her death… This voting process, is cruel.

 

Monokuma: Everybody done? {Belly laugh} Woohoo, well done you! Did you get it right? Or will you all suffer the same fate as poor Kyia!! The answer is…

 

{A gigantic screen lights up behind Monokuma’s lifeguard chair which displays a roulette with every student’s pixelated face. A ball with Monokuma’s face on it is thrown on the roulette which start rotating at high speed. After some time, the roulette slows down and the ball lands on Fukami. The screen goes dark for a few seconds before lighting up again with the word CORRECT flashing on it while confettis are propelled from the roulette}

 

{Scene goes back to the normal format}

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Ring the bells, wake up your neighbours, you got it 100% right! The heignous blackened who took Kyia Taro’s life was none other than…

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show black side} Fukami Ota, the Ultimate Businesswoman!

 

Shinto: {Hat covering face} So we did guess correctly huh…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Hardly a surprise…

 

Monokuma: {Curious} However, the vote was not unanimous. I can tell you that two people here did not vote for Fukami.

 

Hayato: What??

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Lucky for those who vote incorrectly, it’s the majority’s vote that counts!

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} Which of you idiots voted wrong huh?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I’m guessing Fukami didn’t vote for herself did she?

 

Monokuma: Correct, Fukami voted for Hayato! {Belly laugh} Bit of a sore loser don’t you think upupu!

 

Fukami: {Resentful} Do forgive me Seiki-san… Nothing personal.

 

Hayato: Okay, but… who else voted wrong?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Wouldn’t you like to know? The other resident who voted incorrectly was… Hikari, who voted for herself!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-what?

 

Jessie: Hikari-chan why?

 

Hayato: Hikari what are you doing?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

She voted for herself…? What the hell? Does she not realise that all of our lives were on the line here? This seems way too careless for Hikari!

 

Hikari: {Crying} I can’t… send one of my friends to their death. I just can’t…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I hope you realise that by voting for yourself you risked sending all of us to our death… Foolish, truly foolish.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… I…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Wonderful act of chivalry by our dear journalist… But it really doesn’t matter! Fukami’s going to get executed with or without your vote upupupupupu!

 

Hikari: {Crying} No… p-please…

 

Kozuke: {Grasps medals} Monokuma man, she’s not actually going to get killed is she?

 

Monokuma: Why of course she is, didn’t I make the rules very clear?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaah! More d-death?

 

Shinto: {Sad} This is not cool… not cool at all.

 

Fukami: {Stoic} I accept my fate.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … Fukami?

 

Fukami: {Resentful} There is no escaping this. I knew very well when I… did what I did that this would be the outcome.

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Good on you Fukami, taking it like a true champ!

 

Reijiro: Hold on, before any of this. {Points at Fukami} You, please explain your actions.

Fukami: {Stoic} You want me to explain why I did it yes?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} That is what I’m asking.

 

Fukami: Very well… it all started when Monokuma revealed his motive.

 

{Flashback}

 

Monokuma: {On tablet} And this is how the Ota corporation went bankrupt after its leader Fukami Ota went missing. The young entrepreneur, still stuck in the resort, was ruined, and she didn’t even know it yet!

 

Fukami: {Holds head and bends backwards} Ruined? no way… not me.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Fukami: {Resentful} I could not let all the hard work I have had to put in my companies for it to suddenly crash down… I simply could not let it happen.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That’s why you killed Kyia? For money?

 

Fukami: {Aggressive stare} I do not expect you to understand.

 

Hayato: Fukami… didn’t we agree that these videos were made to trick us?

 

Hayato: There was no way for Monokuma to really know how our future would pan out!

 

Fukami: I know… but, still, I had to do something.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Why couldn’t you trust us dammit! We knew these predictions had to be fabricated.

 

Fukami: Actually, these predictions were not so unlikely in my case.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-what do you mean?

 

Fukami: {Resentful} I cannot know what your videos showed you but for me… the outcome it presented was actually very realistic.

 

Fukami: {Head down, shaking} If I didn’t get out of here… my shares would have fallen, my companies would have been ruined…

 

Fukami: {Resentful} That is the truth.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} What you are saying is that contrary to some of our videos which were very speculative, yours showed a possible future. Is that it?

 

Fukami: Correct… this is why I could not accept being stuck here forever.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Why did you not talk to us about this? Why did you have to kill him out of all people!?

 

Fusume: It was because you uncovered Kyia’s weakness in your survey correct?

 

Fukami: {Bites nail} There were no ill intentions to the surveys I had you all participate in… I genuinely wanted to get to know all of you a bit better…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} However, you stumbled upon information that could facilitate a murder…

 

Fukami: That is essentially it, I had of course no ill will towards Taro-san… it was just convenient… I could not miss on an opportunity like that.

 

I still can’t believe she would feel the need to do something like that… to commit murder.

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} Still, the fact that you killed a guy because of money… it kinda tells us a lot about you.

 

Fukami: {Aggressive stare} It is not like that at all… I don’t care about the money!

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Oh so you don’t now? Not very clear with what you just told us.

 

Fukami: {Resentful} The problem is not the money, it is all the lives that would be affected by the corporation closing down.

 

Shinto: {Confused} The lives being affected, what can you mean by that?

 

Fukami: A corporation like mine does not resolve around me… there are thousands of employees who, like me, started from nothing and probably would have nothing without their job.

 

Fukami: {Crying} Me abandoning them would result them in losing their wellbeing!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Are you really going for the benevolent boss right now? How do we know you didn’t fucking do it for your own benefit.

 

Fukami: {Resentful} Yes, I am a boss… and I do try to be benevolent. I know all of the people under me quite well… these are lives that would be ruined by my absence!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Couldn’t t-they just find another j-job?

 

Fukami: In today’s competitive market no… it really is not that simple!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But why does it matter so much? They’re just your employees right?

 

Fukami: {Tearing up} No! You could not be further away from the truth.

 

{Camera shows Fukami in a conference room with a dozen men in suits smiling back at her}

 

Fukami: These people are like the family I’ve never had! Despite my young age they always treated me with respect… without them I’d be nothing. I would never have even dreamed of earning this title!

 

{Back to normal}

 

Yoko: I guess they really were important to you then…

 

Hayato: Fukami, what do you mean when you say that they are the “family you never had”?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} What about your real family?

 

Fukami: {Resentful} My real family was never in the picture, I do not have any memory of my biological parents, they abandoned me at birth.

 

{Flashback}

 

{Camera shows Fukami as a baby in a stroller on the street with a man and a woman looking down}

 

Fukami’s mom: We can’t leave her alone, she’s our daughter for god’s sake!

 

Fukami’s dad: Honey, please. There is no way for us to raise her. We will never have enough money for her to live the life we want for our child.

 

Fukami’s mom: So you just want to leave her to die like that?

 

Fukami’s dad: This is out of our hands… we hadn’t planned for her to come so early. If we keep her we’ll lose all our money, we’ll end up on the street.

 

Fukami’s mom: We have no choice do we?

 

Fukami’s dad: We’ll make sure we are ready before our next child. Right now, this is the only way forward for us.

 

Fukami’s mom: God… I’m so sorry Fukami… I wish it weren't so.

 

Fukami: Mommy…?

 

Fukami’s mom: Let’s go. I might change my mind if I stay here any longer.

 

Fukami’s dad: We made the right decision honey. This is for the best.

 

{Zoom in the stroller, Fukami is crying in her stroller with a note on lap saying “My name is Fukami, please take good care of me}

 

{Zoom back out, Fukami’s parents have left}

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Fukami: {Tearing up} That is why I could not abandon my employees, I cannot make the same mistakes my parents did!

 

Oriana: {Cries} N-no way that’s so sad!

 

Hayato: I’m sorry Fukami… We didn’t know about all this.

 

Fukami: You had no way of knowing… I am not proud of where I come from. Some will tell you that they came from nothing to get attention.

 

Fukami: {Aggressive stare} This is not my mindset. I do not want your pity.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} So you killed Kyia because you were scared of abandoning all the people under you by staying here. Is that it?

 

Fukami: {Stoic} All in all, yes. I exchanged his life for the lives of all my associates.

 

Fukami: {Points at graphs} Whatever you think, this was a fair deal in my eyes.

 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} What tragic revelations from the blackened! Such a sad backstory! And now it’s time for y’all to say bye-bye to Fukami!

 

Jessie: {Tears} N-no! Pitié don’t do it!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Fukami…

 

Kozuke: {Graps medals} It’s not fair…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Please… Fukami, I need you to answer me something.

 

Hikari really hasn’t been speaking much since we have started to accuse Fukami… this case hasn’t been easy on her, I get that, but by voting for herself she acted very carelessly…

 

Fukami: {Stoic} What is it?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Tell me that Hayato was wrong… Tell me that Kyia didn’t actually attack you!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I know him, he would never-

 

Fukami: {Resentful} He did.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} W-what?

 

Fukami: While I was alone in the backstage area, I thought my plan had failed, but then…

 

{Flashback}

 

{Scenes of Kyia assaulting Fukami from outside the window}

 

Fukami: Ngh…

 

Kyia: Surprise bitch, I’m still alive…  for now.

 

Fukami: Taro-san… I can’t breathe!

 

Kyia: You think you could just kill me like that huh? Well now you’re going to join me in death!

 

Fukami: Ngh… it’s not… too late, we can… both live!

 

Kyia: Both live? Now that’s funny! I’m already dead Fukami, do you not realise? Do you not know what you’ve done?

 

Fukami: W-what…?

 

Kyia: You’ve killed me Fukami… I’m dead already you see. So now… I’m taking you with me. It’s only fair don’t you think?

 

Fukami: N-no… I cannot die… not now!

 

Kyia: What are you doing? No… don’t fight back, just let me kill you! I’m already dead, there’s no point in… No.

 

Fukami: Ngh… I am sorry… Taro-san.

 

Kyia: No! Don’t push me, I’m… I’m gonna fall. Fukami stop, FUKAMIIIIIIIIIII!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Fukami: {Resentful} That is essentially how it all went down… luckily for me the loud circus music combined with the turmoil of the accident kept you all from hearing this conversation

 

Hikari: {Distressed} N-no…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What the hell was this whole “already dead” thing anyways?

 

Fukami: {Stoic} I asked myself the same question until I finally understood while going through his things in his room.

 

Reijiro: Of course, you investigated his room, I saw you… Is that when you doctored the calling card?

 

Fukami: Indeed, when I saw it lying around, I knew I had to change the meeting time… if not I would have been discovered…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} But what is it that you found in his room that explained why he “was dead”?

 

Fukami: {Stoic} Hayato.

 

Hayato: Y-yes?

 

Fukami: Why do you not tell the court why he considered himself dead?

 

Fukami: {Amused} You have been so good at leading the trial… I am quite certain you are up to the task.

 

Hayato: Oh o-okay…

 

Why me? No matter, I have one final piece of evidence that I have not used thus far in the trial… I bet I could answer this question with it…

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Desmopressin Bottle

===

 

Hayato: When Hikari and I investigated Kyia’s room, we found a medicine bottle of Desmopressin.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Desmowhatnow?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Are you saying that Kyia was ill?

 

Hayato: I’m not an expert on what it is exactly, the label said it could be used for diabetes or… something else.

 

Reijiro: {Opens book} I see… that would explain it.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Yo Reijiro, ya know what it means?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Why of course, {Flips through pages} desmopressin is a drug given to patients suffering from diabetes, but also for those who suffer from blood clotting deficiency.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} And in English what does that mean?

 

Hayato: Oh my god! It means that Kyia’s blood didn’t clot. That’s why he was saying that he was already dead.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} He… had already bled a significant amount. Without the blood coagulating, he would have eventually died of blood loss…

 

Oriana: Would his w-wound never heal?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} It depends from the severity of his illness, but in theory, yes, the wound could have stayed open until his death.

 

Hayato: It means that from the moment that Fukami stabbed his arm, she’d basically already killed him!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} That’s why he attacked her then, he had nothing left to lose…

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} His condition would also explain his fear of blood. He knew that if he was the one bleeding… it would probably result in death.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Monokuma, is it true?

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Correct! Kyia suffered from Von Willebrand disease, which meant his blood did not clot and his wounds would not heal!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} How ironic! A boy passionate about extreme sports but for whom any injury was fatal!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Oh my… how horrible!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Kyia…

 

Fukami: {Resentful} That is the end of it… When Akeno-san selected me to help him backstage, I gave up on my murder plan… I realised I was simply stuck.

 

Fukami: {Tearing up} Little did I know, I had already succeeded… I had already killed him. Even if I changed my mind, there was absolutely nothing I could do.

 

Hikar: {Sad} Would you have saved him…? If you could have?

 

Fukami: {Stoic} I cannot say… When I was backstage, I had accepted that my plan had failed… but then he came back…

 

Fukami: {Resentful} And from that point on, it was his life or mine. I had to survive…

 

Fukami: Of course, now I know that his life was already cut short, no matter what I was to do next… He was already dead.

 

Does it really work like that… Could we not have done something to save him? Kyia just gave up on his life so quickly. That isn’t the way it should have happened.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} He should have come to us for help! Why did he attack you? Why?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} What the hell would have been the point of seeking help?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} What?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} He’d already lost so much blood… no matter what he did, both him and Fukami were destined to die.

 

Fukami: {Confused} Him and I?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Even if he came to the group for help, he wouldn’t have made it out alive… he was already the victim and Fukami was already the blackened.

 

Yoko: When you put it like that… it kinda makes sense.

 

Hayato: No! It shouldn’t make sense. Just attacking her couldn’t have been the solution.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Quite terribly selfish… it appears he wanted to leave an impact despite his imminent death.

 

Hikari: {Stern} No.

 

Reijiro: {Surprised} I beg your pardon?

 

Hikari: Kyia didn’t act selfishly.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What do you mean? He tried killing her even though he had nothing to gain from it! How is that not selfish?

 

Hikari: {Stern} He had nothing to gain from it… but we did!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt} What!?

 

Hayato: Hikari… what do you mean?

 

Hikari: {Cries} I knew Kyia… he would never have attacked anyone without reason! He did it for us, I know it!

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} For us?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Nonsense!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} How could a murder possibly benefit the group!

 

Hikari: {Stern} Just think about it! He knew he was going to die and we were going to face trial because of it… so maybe, just maybe…

 

Hold on, there’s just no way!

 

Hayato: Hikari, You can’t possibly mean that…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, would he be capable of such actions?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} How intriguing…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Can somebody tell me what the heck is going on?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I think that Kyia tried killing Fukami so that there would be no trial… and therefore our lives wouldn’t be endangered!

 

Oriana: W-what??

 

Hikari: {Cries} He did it for us! I know it!

 

 

Fusume: No matter his motivations… {Dark look} Killing is never the solution. Never!

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Yeah, I don’t care if it was to save us or whatever, murder is not okay.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Kyia meant well! I… I’m sure he meant well!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} You can’t know that for sure…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} In fact, you’ll never know upupupu! Such a shame Kyia isn’t here to ask!

 

Hikari: This… this is your fault Monokuma, not his! He did nothing wrong! He didn’t deserve to die!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show black side} Yeah, yeah that’s what they all say. If it was up to you bastards no one would ever die. Where’s the fun in that huh?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Fun… how can there be fun in death?

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Ugh, you gotta be a party pooper don’t you? Well, it’s fun for me and I don’t care what y’all think.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Talking about fun, I’ve had enough of your emotional chit-chat. It’s time to end this trial.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} You mean… with the execution?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Ahh! More d-death… Please no!

 

Jessie: 停止它,you can’t do it!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} I can do anything I want! This is my resort. Now, now, say your goodbyes.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Fukami you have to resist this!

 

Fukami: {Resentful} Hm, It really does not matter anymore does it?

 

Hikari: What?

 

Fukami: I am done… I have accomplished what I wanted to accomplish… If I was to die here, at least it was not without putting up a fight.

 

Fukami: {Stoic} Now all I can do is accept failure and go out peacefully.

 

Hikari: No!

 

Fukami: {Resentful} I am letting a lot of people down… I know it, but I did my best… I did my best for them and that is what I hope they will remember!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} Ggh, no… you can’t die Fukami…

 

Oriana: {Cries} Why… why are y-you just giving up l-l-like that?

 

Fukami: {Tearing up} This is the end of the line for me, I guess…

 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} That’s cute and all Fukami but tell me… how do you even know that your employees are still around?

 

Fukami: {Stoic} That is a silly question, they were perfectly fine when I left them and that was not even a week ago so why?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} And that’s where you’re wrong upupu!

 

Fukami: Ngh… what?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} News flash everyone… You don’t remember anything do you?

 

Hayato: What do you mean?

 

Monokuma: Upupupu, how amusing… here, maybe this will jog your memory.

 

{On each podium’s screen appears a class picture of all the students in a Hope’s Peak uniform}

 

Monokuma: What a beautifully united class… How sad to think they’d dive into despair soo quickly upupu!

 

This… this picture…

 

{Back to normal}

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Is that all of us?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} When was this taken? I… I have no memory of taking this picture.

 

Kôzuke: M-me neither man… what the hell?

 

Raiko: I’m not on this am I? Oh wait… I am! {Serious glare} How can this be?

 

Rina: {Yawns} Yeah, I definitely have never owned such an ugly outfit… There is no way that this is me on this picture!

 

Fukami: Monokuma! What is this fabricated picture supposed to tell us?

 

Monokuma: {Surprised} Fabricated? Oh no… {Red eye glowing} This is a 100% real picture, it was taken on your first day as a class at Hope’s Peak Academy!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show black side} Don’t tell me you don’t remember this.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Wait, we have never been at Hope’s Peak, we arrived here upon entering the academy.

 

Shinto: That’s right, we were never even there!

 

Monokuma: {Sad} Aw, you really don’t remember anything do you… Oh wait! I know why you don’t remember.

 

Oriana: W-why?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Well, because I’ve erased all your memories of Hope’s Peak of course!

 

Hayato: WHAT?

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} My memories… no, no that is not possible.

 

Kenji: {Furious} You stupid fucking bear! What the fuck did you do!!?

 

Yoko: He didn’t really take our memories… I won’t believe it.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Monokuma, you’re lying! There’s just no way that’s true!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Believe whatever you want… What do I care, I’m not the one who’s forgotten over a year’s worth of memories.

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} PFFFF. A YEAR?

 

Oriana: {Crying} That’s not possible… oh n-no… noooooo!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} You’re lying… you… you’re fucking lying!

 

Monokuma: Isn’t this picture proof enough for you? The fact that you don’t remember anything should convince you!

 

Raiko: Ggh… n-no…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Why are you telling us now this now… why now out of all possible times?

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Two reasons, one, your morale is already pretty shitty and it’s always better to beat the prey when it’s down upupu!

 

Hikari: That’s not… a saying!

 

Monokuma: Secondly, because y’all have no record of anything that happened in the past year… {Menacing} You have no idea how your loved ones are doing!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Just putting it out there before Fukami’s execution…

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} My… employees…

 

Kenji: {Rips shirt} What the fuck did you do? WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU FUCKING DO?!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You… you didn’t touch our families did you?

 

Monokuma: Me? No… {Belly laugh} I’m just saying the world could have ended and you would be none the wiser…

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Maybe your employees are doing fine… or maybe they all died horrible deaths… who knows…

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Oh wait, I know! But you don’t. That’s the fun of it.

 

Fukami: {Resentful} My partners… all dead, it cannot be…

 

Fukami: {Tightens grip on briefcase} All this… all this stupid murder plan was for them… are you telling me it was all in vain?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I’m not telling you shit! Just planted the seed of doubt… But you’re not getting any more answers from me!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Alright, time to die now.

 

Fukami: {Scared} No… no you cannot do this to me… tell me, please! Before I die! I need to know if they are safe.

 

Monokuma: {Happy} These lips are sealed… now why don’t you go back to calm Fukami and take it without making too much of a deal out of it?

 

Fukami: {Bangs briefcase against podium} No… I need to know! I need to know! I need to know!

 

Monokuma: I hope you’ve all said your goodbyes cuz it’s time!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} No! Please, leave her alone!

 

Yoshi: {Fearful} She ain’t actually gonna die is she?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I’ve prepared a very special punishment for the Ultimate Business Woman Fukami Ota…

 

Fukami: {Hateful expression} NO, TELL ME! TELL ME THAT THEY’RE OKAY! I CAN’T DIE WITHOUT KNOWING!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Just tell her Monokuma, It doesn’t change anything to you!

 

Rina: {Scared} What… what is about to happen?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Let’s give it everything we’ve got!

 

Fukami: {Troubled} Was it all for nothing? Why… why… why did I do it?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} IT’S PUNISHMENT TIME!!!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Fukami, no! PLEASE!

 

Fukami: {Aghast} What… what have I done…?

 

{GAME OVER}

{FUKAMI HAS BEEN FOUND GUILTY}

{TIME FOR THE PUNISHMENT}

________________

 

{A large claw attached on a chain appears out of nowhere and attaches around Fukami’s neck. She looks surprised for a second before she is violently pulled away through the courtroom door. The monitor behind Monokuma turns on

 

NO-BODY CAN RESIST SUCH LOW PRICES

 

On screen, Fukami is now shown in a day trade center, strapped on a huge metal cross with both arms and both legs tied to a corner. On each of the extremities of the cross lies a balance.

 

Suddenly, a crowd of Monokumas in suits enter the room shouting, all of them pushing at each other, trying to get a better view. A screen above Fukami’s head lights up with the words “starting price for limb : 10 000 Monocoins”

 

The Monokumas all start shouting while waving bills as the prices on the screen increase quickly. As the prices go higher and higher, big gold lingots are added on the balances tied to Fukami’s limbs which start pulling on her arms and legs.

 

Fukami is shown to start sweating and looking around the room for help as her limbs are stretched further and further away from her body. The lingots keep on piling up at an alarming speed as Fukami tries desperately to untie herself… to no avail.

 

The camera cuts between the Monokumas and Fukami’s face start to accelerate as more and more money is spent by the bears. On the auction screen the prices increase so fast that it is impossible to decipher them. Fukami’s limbs are stretched more and more as she screams in pain.

 

Then, all at once, a horrible tearing sound is heard as the prices stabilize and the Monokumas calm down. The device Fukami was tied to is shown to be empty. The camera pans around the room to show a plethora of defeated Monokumas behaving angrily.

 

Coming out of the door, a happy looking Monokuma strolls out of the room with Fukami’s head under his arms as some of the observing bears congratulate him for winning the auction

 

The monitor turns off, as all the students look in terror}

 

________________

 

Monokuma: {Excited} YAHOOO! Brutal! How awesome was that!?

 

Kôzuke: {In horror} WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

 

Yoko: {Terrified} Oh my god… when you said execution I didn’t think you meant that!!

 

Yoshi: {Very pale} The Yosh’... don’t feel so well…

 

Kenji: {Rips at shirt} W-what the fuck did I just see?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I was not prepared for such violence…

 

Monokuma: {Excited} C’mon kids! Wasn’t that exhilarating!?

 

Jessie: {Tears} N-no, how could you do that? Y-you, you nenorocitul !

 

Oriana: {Cries} I… I… couldn’t watch, she’s n-not actually d-d-dead right?

 

Rina: {Mimes fainting} That definitely wasn’t a body double…

 

I didn’t know that we were actually going to witness her execution… that was so brutal and cruel. He killed her with what she loved doing… How truly ironic.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Did you really kill her?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Upupupupu, she’s as dead as dead can be! That’s the last you’ve seen of her, don’t doubt it!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} GAAAAAAAAAAAH! NOOOOOOOO!

 

Hayato: Why… why are you doing this to us?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Why the hell not? I’m having fun!

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Are you not having fun?

 

Hayato: N-no! Of course not! This… this is all your fault! Two of our friends are dead because of you!

 

Monokuma: {Curious} My fault? Well, I’m not the one who pushed Kyia out of the window am I? Fukami did that all by herself!

 

Hayato: Well you’re the one who killed Fukami! She’s dead because of you!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Actually, she’s dead because of herself.

 

Hayato: W-what?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Monokuma made the rules of the game quite clear when it started.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} She knew that she could die when she killed him… it’s her fault for being foolish.

 

Monokuma: {Excited} That’s right! {Curious} Wait, you’re agreeing with me?

 

Monokuma: {Starry eyed} That never happens! I’m so flattered upupu!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Raiko? W-what are you doing, are you siding with him?

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} I’m not siding with anyone darling… I’m just saying it how it is…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Fukami decided to commit murder and she wasn’t smart enough to get away with it.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Therefore she is the only one to blame for her death.

 

Hikari: {Depressed} How can you say something so horrible?

 

Reijiro: {Frowns} She is just another victim… she was simply tricked by Monokuma into doing what she did.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Meh, I don’t agree. She decided to kill him… No matter Monokuma’s pressure, she could have easily not done anything…

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Truly quite foolish hehe.

 

Kenji: {Angry} Then why the fuck did you try to kill him huh?

 

Raiko: {Surprised} Me? {Twirls hair} Why would you say something so mean…?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Oh wait, I did try to kill him didn’t I? Woops!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’re just as bad as Fukami… you are just as murderous as she was…

 

Kenji: {Furious} You evil bitch…

 

Raiko: Now wait a second, when it’s about Fukami, it’s not her fault because she was tricked but when it’s me I’m an evil bitch?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Isn’t that a bit unfair?

 

Hayato: You’re saying she was foolish for almost getting caught… but if you had managed to kill him, we would have found you out! You’re just as foolish!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} No… no I wouldn’t say that.

 

Yoko: Why is that?

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Well, I didn’t kill him, so I have nothing to get caught for!

 

Rina: {Exasperated} But if he hadn’t freed himself from the rope, you would have killed him!

 

Raiko: That might be true but… who cares!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} As long as I’m not the one who ended up killing him Your argument is invalid! I’m still the smartest one out of the both of us!

 

Why is she doing all this? What the hell is she trying to achieve?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I wouldn’t exactly call you smart… You left a lot of incriminating evidence behind. Your attempted crime was a lot messier than hers.

 

Hayato: That’s right! We found out you were a suspect pretty quickly!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Messy? Haha, you haven’t realised yet?

 

Kôzuke: Realised what?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} You’re all a lot dumber than I thought you were!

 

{Flashback}

 

{Raiko is seen in the drinks tent carrying a big rope under her arm}

 

Raiko: So he managed to untie himself huh… Knowing his temper he won’t go very far…

 

*CRASH*

 

Raiko: And that’s probably him dead… hehe let’s make it a bit more interesting.

 

{Raiko suddenly drops a soda bottle on the floor}

 

Raiko: Oh no… what a terrible accident hehehehehe….

 

{Ends flashback}

 

Fusume: {In shock} W-what?

 

Reijiro: {Step back distraught} Are you saying that you planted all the evidence against yourself?

 

There’s just no way… so all this time, all these slip-ups…

 

{Flashback}

 

Hayato: Raiko… about this tent, would you happen to know why some areas in here are sticky by any chance?

 

Raiko: {Blushes} Oh, yes… Let’s say I had… a bit of an accident when pouring the drinks.

 

Hikari: {Shocked} An accident?

 

Raiko: Why… why yes. {Evil grin} I have been… naughty.

 

{Ends flashback}

 

She had it planned… all of it?

 

Hayato: Did you want us to accuse you?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Hehehehe, you got me! I would have had no fun if I wasn’t involved at all !

 

Raiko: {Cheeky} So I involved myself! And you all thought I was the killer! Better than that, you all thought that you had me cornered!

 

Reijiro: You are… truly demented…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} No Reijiro… that’s not true… you’re just mad because you realised that I played all of you.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… you did no such thing.

 

Raiko: {Sarcastic} Aw, what’s wrong Reijiro darling, how does it feel to have someone smarter than you in the room!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Ngh… no…

 

Kenji: What the fuck seriously… if we had voted against you and gotten it wrong, you would have died with us!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Fair enough… {Heart with hand} Well, lucky me, we managed to get it right, yipee!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Grr…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Why… why are you so evil?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Ultimate Schemer is the talent baby, {Evil smile} I don’t think you realise just how fun this is to me!

 

Hayato: You’re having fun…?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Why, of course! This is a game isn’t it? Aren’t games supposed to be fun?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} That’s the right mindset, I’m liking you more and more girl!

 

Fusume: This is no game… our lives are constantly on the line. Death is nothing to joke about.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Talk for yourself… This is a killing game, which means that most of us will die before the end of it.

 

Raiko:{Giggles} Even I might die, who knows? So don’t blame me for making the most of my time here!

 

Hikari: {Cries} W-why… why is this happening to us…?

 

 

Raiko: Alright then, this trial was fun! Thanks a ton Monokuma for organising this whole thing!

 

Monokuma: {Confused} Oh uh, the pleasure’s all mine?

 

Raiko: Good good, {Serious glare} I’m done here, may I leave now?

 

Monokuma: Uh… yes yes… knock yourself out… you know where the door is.

 

Raiko: Sounds perfect, {Heart with hands} I’ll see the rest of you tomorrow then, sleep tight! {Leaves}

 

 

We remained silent for a couple minutes… What the hell could be said after these revelations? Raiko purposefully created incriminating evidence against herself just for her so called “fun”... this isn’t good… it’s not good at al.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Alright kids, Imma go clean up these bodies, don’t take too long to go back to your rooms, it’s already night-time.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Good night! {Disappears}

 

 

Oriana: {Cries} I’m… s-s-scared to go back, now that Raiko is l-like that…

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} She’s definitely gone completely insane…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} That’s assuming she wasn’t insane to start with!

 

Kenji: How do we know that she isn’t going to try to kill one of us next huh?

 

Hayato: I… I guess we have no way to know that…

 

How can we feel safe, with someone like her among our ranks…? Fukami killed out of desperation but Raiko… Raiko would kill just for fun…  

 

Reijiro: {Smug} We shall deal with her in due time… for the moment, we should not be brash.

 

Oriana: {Cries} I’m s-s-scared!

 

Jessie: {Stare} Be strong Oriana-chan!

 

Jessie?

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} It’s… been a tough evening but I believe in us!

 

Jessie: {Honest smile} Het zal morgen beter zijn ! It’ll be better tomorrow! All we can do now is keep going and find a way out of here.

 

Jessie: {Stare} We owe it to Kyia and to Fukami! Let’s make sure their deaths were not for nothing!

 

Fusume: {Pleased} Well said… sulking will do us no good. We should work even harder starting from tomorrow in finding a way to escape.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} We have gone through alot tonight… but we’ll make it through! {Severe} We have no other choice.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} We won’t let Monokuma bring us down!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Thanks f-for the motivational words Jessie!

 

Jessie’s right… we have to make sure we don’t let Fukami and Kyia down… they were both victims in this killing game, but we won’t make the same mistakes as them!

 

Hayato: Nobody will die anymore… we won’t let it happen!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Ayts, everybody’s hella motivated now! Fuck Monokuma! I  won’t let him fuck with us no more!

 

Oriana: {Trembling} That’s r-r-r-right! f-fuck him! {Hyperventilate} I swore! Oh my! I s-s-swore! how v-vulgar!

 

Jessie: {Laughs} Let it all out Oriana-chan! Now’s the time!

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} It seems that the general spirits have been lifted… I am quite glad to see this. I propose we now head back to our rooms!

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} That sounds like a great idea

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Yeah, let’s get the hell out of this courtroom of hell!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Ya said “hell” twice in one sentence, that finna be a bad omen!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Talking about bad omens, I still owe you a couple punches for earlier…

 

Yoshi: G-gah! You’ll never be catchin’ me alive!

 

As Kenji started chasing Yoshi, I watched with a smile and I almost forgot for a second that two of our friends had died tonight…

 

We can’t let Monokuma bring us down. We need to be strong, and that means forward is the only way to go. Hope! Hope will help us through these tough times.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Come on, let’s go, I’m not waiting a second longer!

 

One by one, everyone started boarding the elevator to go back to the surface… Before I left, I noticed something shiny on the floor, it was Fukami’s golden pin that she wore on her suit… Must have fallen while during her different panic attacks… I’ll keep it, as, as a memento of sorts. I’ll head to Kyia’s room later and grab one of his bandanas to remember him by.

 

Despite their actions… neither of them were bad people… they were both simply trying to survive in this shitty situation. I… I will remember them as the friends they were, and not as killers like Monokuma wants us to.

 

I entered the elevator and waited as it brought us back to the Aula.

 

{Back in the aula with everyone but Raiko there}

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Everyone is here? Good. I am going to go to bed… this has been a tiring evening. I advise you all do the same.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I would like to hold a meeting tomorrow at breakfast to talk about measures to prevent something like this from happening again. I’d appreciate your presence.

 

Reijiro: {Points at Rina} ALL of you!

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Yes, yes okay, I’ll be there.

 

Reijiro: Very well, good night. {Leaves}

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} We should all go to sleep, I’m exhausted! Good night everyone!

 

Little by little, everybody said their goodbyes and went back to their rooms, leaving only me and… Hikari. She has been very affected by this all, I should probably check up on her.

 

{Talk to Hikari} 

 

Hayato: Hey Hikari, are you doing alright?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Ngh…

 

Hayato: I know this has been hard on you but… we must all work together right?

 

Hikari: …

 

Hayato: We’re going to find a way out of this place! I promise! We’re going to-

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Get away from me.

 

Hayato: W-what?

 

Hikari: {Sneers with angry expression} I said get the hell away from me. Is it that hard to understand?

 

Hayato: Hikari, what’s wrong?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} P-please… I need to be alone. Sorry

 

Hayato: No wait!

 

Hikari: {Leaves}

 

W-what the heck was that about!? Did I do something wrong? Dammit!

 

Maybe I should have left her alone… ugh, I don’t know anymore. I’ll try talking to her tomorrow morning, hopefully she’ll be feeling better.

 

For now, I’m going to sleep.

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

This was an absolutely draining day… between the show preparations, the show itself and then… all of this. All I want to do is go to sleep and wake up in a couple of weeks. I need time off seriously. This trial… this trial was messed up.  I don’t want to think about it anymore.

 

 

That was our very first class trial… and I would be lying if I wasn’t dreading to have to face another one at the time. Maybe this is just karma for me writing so many stories about death… I’ve written dozens of books about trials but being in one of them… actually seeing a body, the body of a friend of mine. That kind of feeling you just can’t erase.

 

I’ve felt a lot of things today, a lot of mixed emotions as things progressed and as much as I didn’t want to accept it, there was one word to resume it all…

 

I was feeling real despair for the very first time.

 

_____________________________________________________________

 

Chapter 1: Trusting is Letting Go

END

_____________________________________________________________

SURVIVING STUDENTS:

14

 

 

 

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Notes:

Chapter 1 is finally over, it's been a ride. I am quite happy with the overall result. I'd like to thank everybod who took the time to read this fic and now would be a good time to tell me what you think of it! Feedback is always super appreciated

Chapter 2 "A gentle melody for a lost soul" will take a little while before coming out as I still need to plan some stuff but I'll try to make the wait as short as possible.

New chapters means some more free time so feel free to vote for who you want Hayato to spend time with using this link : https://www.strawpoll.me/17176282 or the comments that works as well.

As usual, feedback and predictions or any sort of comments would make my day.

See you in the next one and thanks for sticking along :)

Chapter 16: Chapter 2 : A Gentle Melody for a Lost Soul : Daily Life part 1

Notes:

And we're back! What will chapter 2 have in store for our class? Read on to find out :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

_______________________

 

Chapter 2 : A Gentle Melody for a Lost Soul

 

________________________

 

 

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a jacuzzi, holding some sort of cocktail glass in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Gooood Morning! This is your director speaking, it’s now 8:00 AM! Look out the window, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. A perfect weather to kill wouldn’t you say?

Get ready for a spectacular day everyone!

 

*Yawns* I’m surprised I managed to get any kind of sleep last night, I mean, after the events of yesterday…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fukami: How… How could this happen?

 

Kôzuke: N-no way man… Who… Who the hell did this?

 

Hikari: NOOOOOOOOOO… No no no, please no! Not now, Not…

 

Kyia Taro, the Ultimate Parkour Artist, was dead.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

{Flashback}

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Let’s give it everything we’ve got!

 

Fukami: {Troubled} Was it all for nothing? Why… why… why did I do it?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} IT’S PUNISHMENT TIME!!!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Fukami, no! PLEASE!

 

Fukami: {Aghast} What… what have I done…?

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

How strange to think that when I woke up yesterday morning, there were sixteen of us in this building… today we are only fourteen.

 

Kyia and Fukami… are gone, two new friends of mine, who ended up trying to kill each other and now neither of them is here with us…

I’m not going to get over the fact that I saw two dead bodies any time soon. It seems so easy to write about death, but seeing it… that’s a completely different feeling. It’s something I won’t get over experiencing any time soon.

 

Even in my head I feel like I’m rambling on… Reijiro wanted us to meet at breakfast to talk things through safety wise. Not only that but it’s also going to be a good opportunity to catch up with Hikari…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Get away from me.

 

Hayato: W-what?

 

Hikari: {Sneers with angry expression} I said get the hell away from me. Is it that hard to understand?

 

Hayato: Hikari, what’s wrong?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} P-please… I need to be alone. Sorry

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

It’s not hard to tell that last night’s trial wasn’t easy on her… especially because her and Kyia were close… at least I think they were.

 

I should get out of bed and get ready to meet the others.

 

 

*Knock Knock*

 

Hm… somebody knocked at the door, I should open… I wonder who it could be.

 

{Examine Door}

 

I opened the door and…

 

Fusume: {Happy} Good morning Hayato. How are you doing today?

 

Hayato: Fusume? Uh, I’m fine… I’m coping, I guess… still kinda shaken about last night.

 

Fusume: I understand. {Confident} Are you ready to go to breakfast? I thought that maybe we could go together.

 

Hayato: Uh, yeah I’m just about ready. Hang on one second, let me just get my coat on.

 

This seems… out of character for Fusume, I haven’t seen her this enthusiastic about much since we arrived here.

 

 

Fusume: Ready?

 

Hayato: Yes let’s go.

 

We started walking to the restaurant.

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} So… I wanted to talk to you Hayato.

 

Hayato: Yes? about what?

 

Fusume: {Happy} I was actually quite impressed about your professionality at the trial last night.

 

Professionality?

 

Fusume: You handled everything very calmly and you managed to find the truth… it is in great part thanks to you that we are still alive.

 

Hayato: It is?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} I think so yes… {Bows} I am eternally grateful to you.

 

Hayato: Oh um really?

 

Fusume: {Meditative} You are smarter than you appear… very smart indeed.

 

Thanks?

 

Fusume: {Interrogative} I wonder if perhaps your career is what made you so at ease with the concept of the class trial…

 

Hayato: Y-yeah… yeah it must be that.

 

Little does she know I was very close to shitting myself for most of the trial… but might as well not reveal that, especially since she seems so humbled.

 

Fusume: Either way, know that you have earned my respect. I now consider you a person of trust. This is why you should know that…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We have to do something about Raiko.

 

Hayato: What?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I was thinking of telling Reijiro about my opinion on this matter, one thing is for sure: we cannot let Raiko walk freely among us after what she said last night.

 

Raiko… she admitted to planting evidence against herself for her own fun, almost getting us all killed in the process… that girl is insane that’s for sure.

 

Hayato: What do you think we should do then?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I am not quite sure… I just wanted to let you know that I will not sit idly while she thinks of the next way to risk our lives.

 

Hayato: Fair…

 

What now…? I thought that we were done with the conflict, I thought we agreed to do our best all together. I thought…

 

No matter what I thought. Clearly, I was wrong. I’ll just have to let it play out for the moment.

 

Fusume: {Pleased} I trust that this will stay between us for the moment right?

 

Hayato: Yes… yes, of course.

 

Fusume: Good. {Dark look} You have my trust… do not waste it.

 

In a sense, she is right that we need to do something about Raiko, but still… I just don’t want to see more fighting, not after everything we’ve just been through…

 

After a couple minutes, we arrived at the restaurant.

 

{Scene opens up in the restaurant, all the other survivors but Raiko are present, it seems like a table has been removed from the sitting area, making everybody slightly more packed together.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, you’re late.

 

Hayato: We are? Sorry, we came as fast as we could.

 

Rina: {Yawns} Not fast enough obviously.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Why the hell are you two together now?

 

Kenji: {Laughs out loud} Y’all fucking?

 

Hayato: N-no! No, of course not! Don’t say such stupid things!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Yeah, she’s too hot for you anyways…

 

Ouch.

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} I would rather you keep this type of… hormonal comment to yourself in the future.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Whatever.

 

Reijiro: It appears we are all here, {Condescending look} You two, get some food and take a sit… I will not wait any longer.

 

Yessir.

 

I got a bowl of cereals and looked at my choices as far as sitting arrangement. came. There is a spot next to Shinto and Yoko but… yeah no. There is also one next to Kenji but after that earlier comment I don’t really wanna interact with the jerk. I could also sit next to Hikari but… I don’t think now’s the best time to talk to her.

 

Alright then, guess who’s gonna sit by himself. It’s your boy Hayato!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Very well, as I previously stated, I would like to take this opportunity to discuss some safety measures to put into place so that we do not… repeat the mistakes of yesterday.

 

Fusume: You want to avoid another murder yes?

 

Reijiro: {Hands on chest} In a nutshell, that is it. Although I am quite convinced that no one here is moronic enough to be planning such an act.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Especially after how yesterday’s trial played out.

 

Oriana: {Cries} I still can’t b-b-believe they’re b-both dead…

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} I don’t think any of us can believe it Oriana-chan. Musíte být silní! We all have to be strong!

 

Shinto: Yeah… we’ll mourn them when the time comes, for the moment we have to work together to get out of this place.

 

Yoko: {Kisses framed picture of Shinto} Well said, my love.

 

Fusume: {Bows forward} We shall not forget their deaths, we simply have to move on as best as we could.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} It’s gotta be the way forward.

 

Yoshi: {Poses} Hurray, for positivity, hip hip hip…

 

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Y’all ain’t fun…

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Keep quiet you.

 

Yoshi: {Juggling ball falls on head} Owies… that be hurtin’ my ego…

 

Kenji: You done?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Very well, now when it comes to safety, first things first, I think we must all-

 

???: Wait a second.

 

I turned around to see who spoke and…

 

Hikari: {Fierce} Who exactly are you to decide what we’re going to do?

 

Hikari??

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hikari? What’s gotten into you?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You’re all acting like everything’s good and like we can just go on with our lives, have you forgotten what happened yesterday for god’s sake?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} We have not forgotten of course, however-

 

Hikari: {Sneers with angry expression} Shut up Reijiro, you of all people have no right to speak.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} I beg your pardon?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} She wasn’t this intense before was she?

 

Hikari: Don’t you realise? {Distressed} Kyia and Fukami would still be alive if you had acted like a man!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I do not quite see where you are going with this.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} You had every opportunity to save Kyia when you saw him unconscious… and you did absolutely nothing.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} They’d still be here with us today if you hadn’t acted like such a coward!

 

Reijiro: That is… preposterous.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Is it that surprising to you? Just admit it! These two deaths are on you.

 

Reijiro: {Step back distraught} …

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Is it really his fault?

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} I mean, he definitely did have the chance to help him… that’s kinda shady if you ask me.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-why do we h-have to blame each other?

 

Hikari: {Sneers with angry expression} Because there is no way I’m going to allow someone like that to lead this group.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} He wasn’t able to save Kyia and Fukami, so why the heck should we trust him with our lives?

 

Kenji: {Cracks fists} She’s right… this is no way for a leader to handle things.

 

Kenji: {Furious} You should have helped him!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Could Kyia-kun… still be alive?

 

Jessie: {Tears} Ngh, why did he have to die!?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} The guy didn’t fucking deserve it…

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Hold on guys, we have no way of knowing they’d still be alive, there’s no point in blaming Reijiro.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} I will not accept having this guy tell me what to do from now on.

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} As long as you don’t strip him of this position of leader, don’t expect me to be coming to these stupid meetings.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

 

She’s right that he could have acted differently but she is being way too harsh on him… this is not good.

 

Hayato: Hikari, don’t you think you’re being a bit severe? We don’t have to point the fingers like that…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Don’t talk to me.

 

Hayato: W-what?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You don’t have a right to speak either… the way you pushed Fukami over the limit last night…

 

Hikari: {Sneers with angry expression} Ever heard of compassion?

 

What?? She’s mad at me for… pushing Fukami?

 

Hayato: Wait a minute, don’t you realise that if I hadn’t acted the way I did we’d all be dead?

 

Hikari: I don’t care! You… you’re not the person I thought you were Hayato.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Yesterday’s events made that clear.

 

I looked around… and saw similar looks on the other’s faces! There’s no way they actually blame me for leading the debate is there?

 

Hayato: Wait, Hikari, it’s not like that I swear.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} That’s enough… I’m going to be leaving now.

 

Hikari: {Scribbles through notes} For the others, don’t forget what I’ve said today… you should all reconsider your position.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Reconsider… our positions?

 

Hayato: N-no… please wait.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Bye.

 

Monokuma: {Appears} Now hold on a second.

 

Oriana: {Scared} Kyah! What is h-he doing here?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You here to fuck with us again bear?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Nah, he probably wants to rub in our faces that we lost two people…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You’re here to taunt us man?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} We don’t want you here Monokuma, why don’t you go somewhere else?

 

Monokuma: {Sad} That’s not a very nice way to greet your director now is it.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Bro you’re a fucking teddy bear ayt? You’re nobody’s director.

 

Monokuma: Aw… how mean… especially when I’ve come to give you all a present.

 

Hayato: A present?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} You have a present for us?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Why of course? Aren't I a benevolent bear?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Alright, I’m leaving.

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} No! You stay right here! You’ll enjoy my gift whether you want it or not.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Is this some kind of trap?

 

Fusume: I would not tend to trust what the bear says…

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Grr… why can’t y’all be grateful for once?!

 

Hayato: Just tell us what you came here to say! Please.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} You see, I was so very impressed by the fact that you survived yesterday’s trial that I decided to reward you and let you out of this building.

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} Let us out? Like you’re gonna set us free?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Now, let’s not get ahead of ourselves, you’ll still be prisoners of this resort until you graduate.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} However, it’s time you bastards get to enjoy the resort a little bit don’t you think?

 

Monokuma: There are a total of five buildings in this resort, the longer you last, the more access you’ll get to the resort as a whole!

 

It’s true that the whole time we’ve been here, it hasn’t felt like much of a holiday resort considering we’ve been locked in this building…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Why should we believe you that this isn’t a trap.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Yeah, we’re not interested in your fucking presents… we’re just fine as is.

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Naw, but is this tiny little building big enough for your massive egos?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Gh…

 

Monokuma: As to why you should trust me… I would assume you’d be more likely to find a way out by actually exiting the building don’t you think?

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} A way out…?

 

Monokuma : {Blank expression} That’s what you want isn’t it? A way to escape?

 

Jessie: How did you…?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} We’re still early-ish in the killing game, you’re desperate to go back home yada, yada…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Of course soon enough, the despair will be so strong that you’ll give up on any hope of getting out of here without resorting to murder.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} See what I did there? Resorting? Resort? Like the one we’re in?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Why don’t you shut the fuck up and just show us where we’re supposed to go?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Tough crowd I see, alright folks, follow me if you will. {Leaves}

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Guess we have to follow him huh?

 

Kôzuke: Might have well see what he has in store for us…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Be cautious everybody.

 

Not left with much of a choice, we all followed Monokuma across the corridor and to the main aula. There stood the locked door that seemingly led to the outside. Raiko was already standing there when we arrived.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Hey everyone!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Kyaah!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Don’t come closer bitch!

 

Rina: Yeah! Nobody likes you here.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Hey, that’s not very nice now is it?

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} She’s even speaking like Monokuma now…

 

Monokuma: {Blanks expression} Why don’t you kids keep the bickering for later, I’ve got places to be.

 

Hayato: Alright, show us how to get out.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} I suppose you are to unlock this door correct?

 

Monokuma: You got it! {Pulls out black key} This is the black key, because this is the black building! The buildings all have a different designated colour!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} It’s really not that complicated I’m sure you’ll understand the system quickly.

 

Oriana: {Brave face} I’m r-ready to see the outside!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Are you now? Interesting.

 

Kenji: Why don’t you hurry the hell up and open the door.

 

Monokuma: Alright, here I go!

 

Monokuma hopped towards the door and inserted the key in the keyhole, there was a small rumbling sound for a couple seconds and then…

 

{The door shakes violently until it finally opens, revealing a blinding light.

 

Monokuma: Welcome to the resort y’all!

 

{Camera passes through the door to show the outside of the resort, four other buildings in bright colours, a pool in the east and a small beach in the west each building is connected by a walkway, outside of that walkway the rest of the resort is filled with a grassy patch.}

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} Woooh!

 

Kôzuke: Damn… I almost forgot this was awaiting us man.

 

Jessie: {Thunderstruck} Mein gott!

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} This is actually kinda nice…

 

Monokuma: {Happy} I told you it was worth coming with me. This resort is like paradise on earth.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} A paradise in which we have to commit murder…

 

Monokuma: C’mon Fusume, you’re always stuck on the formalities, who cares about such a tiny little detail.

 

Fusume: Murder… a tiny detail…

 

Hayato: I have to admit, this place is pretty cool.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} It’s really warm as well… I like the weather.

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} S-same… I love the… hot… weather…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Anyways, I bet that you’re happy that you survived that first trial huh?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Such a shame that two of you didn’t make it this far upupu…

 

Kenji: {Pulling on shirt} You… you little shit!

 

Monokuma: {Curious} What was that?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I swear… I swear that I’ll kill you.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Nuh uh, the director is off limit in the killing game. No touching this soft fur.

 


Monokuma: {Menacing} Unless maybe you want me to show you what I do to those who don’t respect the rules?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Grr…

 

Jessie: Leave it Kenji-kun, it’s for the best.

 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Anywho, I’ve got another big announcement tonight that I need to prepare for…

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Is it another motive?

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} Awawa, no! No of course not, where would you get that idea from aha…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} You don’t make for a very good liar you know.

 

Monokuma: {Sad} You… you know nothing! Argh, I’ve been discovered. Mayday, mayday!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Oh, by the way, the doors to the yellow building are open, so feel free to go explore the place as well as the outside area. There should be a couple of maps at your disposal in your Resident ID. See ya later! {Leaves}

 

Kenji: Hm, guess we should get a move on to that yellow building shouldn’t we?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Well, I th-think that-

 

Monokuma: {Appears} I forgot something.

 


Oriana: Kyah!! He interrupts me mid sentence!!!!

 

Monokuma: I know y’all have been advertised a beach but it’s closed off for renovation process so I don’t want anyone snooping around the beach area.

 

Monokuma: {Happy} That’s it. Hasta la vista! {Leaves}

 

 

Hayato: I think he’s really gone now.

 

Oriana: {Shy look} G-good. I don’t like the b-bear… he scare m-m-me.

 

Yoshi: At least we be out that building. The Yosh’ finna be explorin’ the world now!

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Could you imagine we were in this nice a place all this time? If we were not in this situation, I could almost imagine that we could have fun here.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Now all we have to do is find the yellow building he was talking about.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Yellow building huh? I’d better go and investigate {Leaves}

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Good riddance, we have to stay away from the bitch.

 

Oriana: She also scares me! I don’t l-like her.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Everything scares you anyways…

 

Oriana: {Mad} That’s not t-true.

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} PFFF…

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaah! A loud noise!

 

Rina: {Annoyed} I rest my case.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We shall deal with Raiko in due time. Trust me.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} I think there is no need for us to stay grouped at the moment.

 

Hikari: {Sneers with angry expression} Don’t forget what I told all of you earlier. Careful who you trust.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} ... {Leaves}

 

I feel like that last stare was definitely aimed at me… I have to do something about her. Things can’t stay like this between for us forever…

 

… can they?

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands}  If everybody’s going to start leaving, we should probably start going our own way and exploring this new area.

 

Fusume: {Confident} If anybody finds any clue on how to escape please report to me.

 

Rina: We have to explore?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Fuck exploring, there is noooo way that I’m not hitting the pool!

 

Kenji: I’ll leave the detective work to you smart people!

 

Fusume:{Hurt} Just do what you want, it matters little to me.

 

Fusume: All I ask is that you report anything unusual to me.

 

Hayato: Okay, will do.

 

Jessie: {Happy} Let’s do some exploring then! A l’aventure! {Leaves}

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Wait, I don’t w-want to s-stay alone… {Leaves} 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} You coming Shinto? {Leaves}

 

Shinto: Yes, yes,  I’m here! {Leaves}

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Guess I’ll be going too then… see you around. {Leaves}

 

Reijiro: {Angry} Ggh…

 

Reijiro… he hasn’t said anything since Hikari accused him off all this… I should probably check up on his soon…

 

Reijiro: {Leaves} 

 

Fusume: Hayato, you should also go and investigate, I count on you to be productive. I am determined we are to find information on our location

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Don’t forget to report back to me when you are done.

 

Hayato: O-okay, I’ll do that.

 

Seriously though… how the hell did we even get here? How were we transported to this resort without us noticing? I need to try and investigate, maybe I’ll find some type of clue on our location.

 

Behind me is the black building we were in until now. To get to the yellow building I need to walk through this large patch of grass.

 

Alright, let’s do it, where should I look first?

 

{Examine Black Building} 

 

This is the building we have been staying in until now. It is painted black… not much else to see from the outside.

I probably shouldn’t go back inside for the moment. I need to investigate the available areas of this resort thoroughly.

I should check the map of this place in my resident ID.

 

 

Hm, I see. So we were in the black building and we can now enter the yellow building. The rest is off limit. Let’s move on.

 

{Examine Large Tree}

 

Between the black and the yellow building stands a gigantic tree, so tall that I almost can’t see the top of it… it seems rather strange… Even more strange however was what I saw when I looked up to the sky.

 

{Camera shows a massive glass dome covering the entirety of the resort}

 

Is this glass? What the hell, we are like prisoners in this big bubble. I’m guessing it’s to keep us from escaping huh… I should ask Monokuma about it…

 

Monokuma: {Appears} So? Do you like my redwood?

 

Hayato: Monokuma? Oh you’re there.

 

Speaking of the devil.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Wanna be any less enthusiastic about my sudden apparition? Damn you boring teens.

 

Hayato: What is this glass thing over our heads?

 

Monokuma: That? Oh it’s just a precautious so that you bastards don’t try and get out of here. It’s 100% unbreakable glass of course, no need to try upupu.

 

Hayato: Dammit… so you’re saying there’s really no way out of here is there?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Sure there is, by graduating thanks to a murder!

 

Hayato: Ugh…

 

Monokuma: {Curious} I’ll ask again now, do you like my redwood!?

 

Hayato: Redwood, is that a type of tree?

 

Monokuma: It’s not a type of tree it’s the type of tree upupu.

 

Monokuma: {Proud} The redwood is the tallest tree of all trees, this one stands at about 30 meters high, and that’s actually pretty small for a redwood.

 

30 meters? That’s… disproportionate.

 

Hayato: But… this is not the normal climate for a type of tree like this is it? You’re the one who planted this tree here right?

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Hey, bears like greenery alright? I thought to myself why plant a normal size tree when you could plant an enormous tree!

 

Hayato: Typical…

 

Monokuma: I’m very proud of the tree… any attempt at damaging it would be punished by death… obviously.

 

Hayato: Fair enough, I’ll stay away from your stupid tree then.

 

Monokuma: That’s not all, notice what’s wrapped around the tree?

 

What’s wrapped around it? there seems to be some type of rope thing but what is it?

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Why only have a big tree when you can have… A GIANT SWING SET!

 

{Camera shows Monokuma on an enormous swing}

 

Monokuma: You see, a tree on its own is boring, that much is for sure.

 

Monokuma: So I installed a swing on it for when I’m bored, but not any swing! It’s the world’s longest swing!

 

Hayato: What?

 

{Back to normal}

 

Monokuma: {Proud} This swing’s rope goes to about 100 meters in length, making it officially the longest swing in the world!

 

Hayato: But what’s the point of that?

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Hm, don’t ask me… I thought it was cool. Why not beat a world record when you have the means to!

 

A colossal tree and an oversized swing… this guy is into disproportional things huh.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Alright I’ve entertained your curiosity for long enough.

 

Hayato: I mean, I didn’t really ask you for all these explanations.

 

Monokuma: Too bad, now you got ‘em.

 

Monokuma: {Surprised} Oh and by the way, you see all this grass around the resort.

 

It’s kinda hard to miss it, the floor is covered with grass, the only way to avoid it is through this narrow walkway I’m standing on.

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Most of the time you’re free to walk on the grass however, between 1 and 3 PM the grass gets automatically irrigated and that means you ain’t going on it. That clear?

 

Hayato: Hm, okay.

 

Monokuma: If one of y’all puts one foot on the grass while it’s being irrigated, I’ll kill you! In fact, let me make it extra clear!

 

My resident ID vibrated in my pocket.

 

I opened it to see that a new rule had been added to the rules and regulations section.

 

Rule #11: It is absolutely forbidden to walk on the grass between 1PM and 3PM

 

I see, he’s really adamant about us not stepping on the grass huh.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Now you have no choice but to obey me upupupu. Don’t let me catch you walking on that grass.

 

Hayato: Fine, whatever.

 

Monokuma: Alright, that’s all I had to say, bye bye. {Leaves}

 

Good riddance. Still, I’ve learnt quite a bit about this outside area thanks to him… I should keep this all in mind.

 

{Move to Poolside Area}

 

{Scene of a large pool in the shape of Monokuma’s head, there are sunbeds on both sides of the pool, Kenji is in the pool, Jessie is tanning on a sunbed and Tadao is sitting in a corner dipping his feet in the water}

 

This pool is nice… if you disregard the shape of it obviously. It definitely makes this place feel more like a resort, I’d be tempted to do like Kenji and have a dip in the pool but no. I need to stay concentrate on the task at hand.

 

{Examine Pool}

 

The water is clear, reflecting the perfect blue of the sky above us. It’s tempting me… eh maybe another time.

 

{Examine Sunbeds}

 

These look comfortable. Once again, they are branded after our abductor which makes it slightly uncomfortable for me to look at but hey, Jessie doesn’t seem to mind that too much.

 

{Talk to Jessie}

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Heya, Hayato-kun!

 

Hayato: Hi, Jessie, you enjoying the weather?

 

Jessie: Certus, I mean why not? I’m not among the brightest around here when it comes to investigating

 

Jessie: {Happy} So I’m going to relax!

 

Hayato: You shouldn’t say that about yourself! You’re smart!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Yeah, yeah who cares, I’m going to take it easy, silenciosa as they say.

 

Hayato: Okay, as you wish… I’m guessing you haven’t learnt anything that can help us then?

 

Jessie: Nuh uh, I’ve only been around here… {Shocked} oh, actually!

 

Hayato: Yes?

 

Jessie: {Fangirling} Look at these cute little Monokuma themed flip flops I found!

 

Jessie: {Happy} Aren’t they totally čudovit ?

 

Hayato: Jessie, I don’t think you should be this enthusiastic about something Monokuma gave-

 

Jessie: {Determined} Look at them! Look at them! They’re custom made for each of us, even those of us who have tiny little feet like Tadao and Oriana.

 

Hayato: Ok… and that is cool because?

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} You’re such a party pooper Hayato,

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Either way, if you want to have a happy and positive discussion, έλα να με δεις yes?

 

Hayato: Y-yeah totally.

 

I should try being less of a downer shouldn’t I…?

 

{Talk to Kenji}

 

Hayato: Hey Kenji, everything good?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} If it isn’t the Hayadog himself? I’m doing pretty fucking fine!

 

Oh dear lord, I had forgotten about this nickname.

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} How could I not be happy in this pool bro, it’s fucking perfect.

 

Hayato: Oh, okay well good for you.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You sure you don’t wanna come brother, the temperature is perfect.

 

Hayato: No, I’m fine thank you, I should go and investigate.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} C’mon don’t be a pussy bro. Come in!

 

Hayato: As I said, I’m fine as is…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Are you intimidated by my perfect muscles? You’re worried that people will judge you cuz of your weak body?

 

Hayato: I didn’t say that and… h-hey I don’t have a weak body!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} You? Not weak? Wow, and I thought you were smarter than you looked.

 

Hayato: I am, that’s the difference between us.

 

Kenji: {Confused} Not sure if that was diss or not… but I don’t give a dump, you better come in!

 

Hayato: No thanks, I’ll just get going now.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Suit yourself, ya don’t know what you’re missing!

 

Nope. Not going in with this guy. No way.

 

{Talk to Tadao}

 

Tadao: {Leaves}

 

As soon as I approached him he got up and started leaving… still not very talkative. I do want to talk to him after what happened in the trial though…

 

{Flashback}

 

 Raiko: {Twirls hair} And what about before 3:00 Hayato? Who were you with?

 

Before 3:00? The presumed time of the meeting… Wait, I was alone in the cafeteria at the time… Damn this won’t sound good… Nobody will back me up on my alibi!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Before 3:00 well I was-

 

Tadao: {Looks up} He was with me… in the cafeteria.

 

Tadao…? He… he wasn’t with me at the time! What is he doing.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Is that so?

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} Ask the eye… we both waited in the cafeteria for the ballerina to arrive. This is nothing but the truth.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

He lied to defend me back at the trial and I want to know why… hm, guess I’ll have to ask him another time.

 

 

That’s everything there is to see by the pool, I should head somewhere else.

 

{Move to Yellow Building entrance}

 

The yellow building is structured quite differently from the black building we were in until now. It is quite a bit more narrow, but a lot taller. There are three floors and the top floor stands at about eight or nine meters from the ground.

 

The others should be scattered around here, let’s go inside.

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 1st floor}

 

Inside the building, the walls are painted in flashy colours, contrasting with the dullness of the black building. The first walls I saw were painted orange with little pink swirls all around.

On the bottom floor, there are two doors on opposite sides of the floor, labelled “Game Room” and “Garbage Room”

 

{Move to Garbage Room}

 

{Camera shows a small room with a big incinerator in the center. Hung on to the orange walls are trash bags with different labels for different materials, In the room stands Hikari}

 

Oh boy, she’s there… I’m guessing that she still doesn’t want to talk to me huh… I’m not even sure it’s worth a try to say hi.

 

{Talk to Hikari}

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} …

 

Hayato: …

 

Dammit… I don’t know what to say, her stare is so disarming, I’ve lost my words.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} …  

 

Hayato: … Listen,  I…

 

Hikari: … {Leaves}

 

 

Okay then, that went about as poorly as it could have… great. Guess I’m not going to catch up with her any time soon. Gotta live with that then.

 

{Examine Trash bags}

 

A trash bag for the plastic, one for the paper, one for the glass and so on. A sign next to the bags reads : “You better recycle your bastards, polluting is unethical”.

 

 

Because forcing teenagers to murder each other is ethical perhaps?

 

Stupid freaking bear.

 

{Examine Incinerator}  

 

I feel like having an incinerator and these recycling bags is slightly redundant but oh well, who cares. I’m sure it will come in handy eventually. I’d rather not live in my own trash so yeah.

 

That’s it for the garbage room. What next?

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 1st Floor}

 

{Move to Game Room}

 

{The game room is bigger than the garbage room and is mainly decorated with shelves filled with board games of all types. On one corner of the room is an arcade video game machine, in the other corners are couches and sofas to sit on, Raiko is present in the room}

 

Talking about people who I don’t feel like talking to, here comes Raiko!

 

That girl… is simply crazy… she proved it during yesterday’s trial when she actually planted evidence against herself and tried to make us think she was the killer. All that for her own fun. When we confronted her about it… her only answer was:

 

{Flashback}

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Why… why are you so evil?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Ultimate Schemer is the talent baby, {Evil smile} I don’t think you realise just how fun this is to me!

 

Hayato: You’re having fun…?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Why, of course! This is a game isn’t it? Aren’t games supposed to be fun?

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

I don’t understand how she can take pleasure from all this… I guess our brains aren’t wired the same way huh?

 

{Examine board games}

 

These just seem like classic board games… but Monokuma themed obviously. Risk: Bear edition, Monopoly: Despair road, these titles are dumb. Well, if we really get bored we could end up playing some of these games.

 

Wait, are board games called that way because you play them when you’re… bored?

 

Nah, I’m probably just being dumb.

 

{Examine arcade machine}

 

This looks like an authentic arcade machine, I remember playing one of those at a theme park next to my house… it’s just a shame that you have to pay 1000 Monocoins to play it. No clue what that currency is even is.

 

This bear just breathes of egocentrism doesn’t he?

 

 

Raiko is staring at me, should I flee while I have the time or… I guess I should see what she wants, it’s not like she’s going to kill me right there on the spot right?

 

{Talk to Raiko}

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Hey Hayato, I didn’t think you were going to come talk to me hehe…

 

Hayato: I saw you staring at me. What do you want?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Huh, I should have guessed you didn't actually want to see me.

 

Hayato: Just tell me what you want please.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} The others… they’re afraid of me correct?

 

The others?

 

Hayato: I guess that they’re slightly intimidated after the things you said yesterday night.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Interesting hehe… In reality you have no reason to be afraid of me.

 

Hayato: Well, you did play a significant part in the events that lead up to Kyia and Fukami’s deaths… is that not something to be afraid of?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Perhaps… either way, you can be certain that I will not be killing anyone.

 

Hayato: W-what now? But you said…

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I know very well what I have said. It does not change the fact that I will not kill anyone myself.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} That would just ruin the fun much too soon wouldn’t it?

 

Hayato: What do you mean?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} If I were to commit a murder, then either I would win, or I would lose, either way, it would end the game early for me.

 

Raiko: Monokuma said that the game would continue until only two of us survive. That means that I can’t kill anyone any time soon. You get it?

 

Hayato: You’re saying you won’t murder because you want the killing game to go as long as possible ?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Exactly! You see that you can understand me when you try.

 

Hayato: Gh… I’m not like you Raiko.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Maybe not… well at least you can all consider yourselves safe from me.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} However, if somebody’s planning a murder and I hear of it, don’t expect me to sit there and do nothing hehehehe.

 

Hayato: That… that won’t happen! Because nobody else is planning a murder, we agreed to it yesterday!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Sure… tell yourself that if it gives you hope. I just want to see your face when you realise you were wrong!

 

Hayato: That’s enough. I’m not wrong. I’m not gonna listen to you make these false accusations

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Alright then… good luck in your investigation Hayato hehe.

 

She’s actually pissed me off now. I wanna get the hell away from her, if there’s anything else of importance in this room I’ll have to check it later.

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 1st Floor}

 

That’s it for the first floor I guess, let’s go up the stairs and see what this second floor is all about.

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 2nd Floor}

 

The walls on the 2nd floor are painted in the opposite colours of the 1st floor with bright pink paint covering the majority of the surface with little orange swirls as decoration, there are three doors positioned in a straight line along the wall further away from the stairs, labelled “Arts and Craft Room”, “Music Room” and “Archives“

 

The three rooms next to each other make this floor feel a lot wider than the one below. It also makes it feel quite eery for some reason, I’m probably just being paranoid. Let’s check out these rooms then.

{Move to Arts and Craft Room}

 

The room was a lot larger than the rooms on the bottom floor, it had the same hideous pink wallpaper which invaded my field of vision. The room has art and craft supplies scattered messily around the room with a big circular table in the  center, probably to work on. At the far wall of the room lies a large square window which has a view on the black building.

 

{Kôzuke and Rina are here}

 

{Examine painting supplies}

 

You’ve got everything you’d want to paint with, paint brushes of every possible size, a plethora of paints and thick white paper. If I ever feel artistic for some reason, I know where to go.

 

{Examine ceramic corner}

 

Ceramic huh? Yet another domain I know nothing about… I wonder if there’s ever been an Ultimate Sculptor at Hope’s Peak… I bet that guy would be stuck up as all hell… for some reason.

 

{Examine center table}

 

I’m guessing that if you want to draw or paint, this is the table to do it on… knowing myself I’d probably just spill paint everywhere and make a big mess. For everybody’s sake I’d probably do best to stay away.

 

{Examine window}

 

There’s a nice view from here… you can see the black building quite well, as well as Monokuma’s big tree which lies between both buildings. Oh what is this?

 

 

There is a screw on the window keeping it tightly against its hinges. I’m guessing the window is sentenced for some reason, well, I hope nobody is going to need to open this window.

 

{Talk to Kôzuke}

 

Hayato: You find anything interesting Kôzuke?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} No man, this is hella out of my area of expertise… I saw arts and craft and thought it could be relaxing.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But all these bright colours are stressing me more than anything else.

 

Hayato: Hm, I see. So no discoveries on a way out right?

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} Nope… the only thing that I’m thinking is that…

 

Kôzuke: {Graps medals} Forget about it, it’s probably dumb.

 

Hayato: No come on say it. Every observation is useful.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Ok fine man… it’s just that. Isn’t this resort a bit weird?

 

Hayato: A bit weird? How so?

 

Kôzuke: Well you know, check these rooms out, you’ve ever seen a art room or a music room or even a library in a summer resort?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} It looks more like a school to me.

 

Hayato: You’re right… these rooms are slightly out of place.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} D’you think that Monokuma set it all up especially for the killing game? That could explain it.

 

Hayato: I have no idea honestly, you do raise a fair point though, thanks for mentioning it.

 

Kôzuke: {Happy} No problem man, glad I could be useful in some way.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} If you need anything else, I’ll be around here… confused probably. This room is still a mystery to me.

 

Hayato: I’ll come say hi in that case, see you around.

 

{Talk to Rina}

 

Hayato: Hi Rina, are you… knitting?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Yeah… that a problem to you?

 

Hayato: No, no of course not, I just never didn’t imagine you as the knitting type.

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} What’s the knitting type then huh? Old grannys who shit themselves and need reading glasses?

 

Rina: {Paints nails} A beautiful young girl like myself can appreciate the charm of knitting.

 

Hayato: Oh… ok fair enough. So what are you knitting?

 

Rina: {Exasperated} None of your business omg. Why do you have to be intruding on my private life like that?

 

Private life? Knitting? Seriously…?

 

Rina: {Yawns} Knitting is personal art ‘kay?… whatever I decide to do with the yarn is my business only.

 

Hayato: An art? Isn’t it more of a craft in this case?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Omfg, you really don't get how noble this is. Shame on you.

 

Hayato: Okay.

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} You’ll understand my struggle once you’re famous.

 

Rina: {Yawns} Oh wait, that’s right you’ll never be famous cuz nobody reads books anymore.

 

Hayato: Hey, w-wait a second.

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} Sucks to suck boo. Now get the heck out of my face.  

 

 

Rina’s as pleasant as I could have expected, I’m glad I learnt that she’s into knitting though… it’ll be easy to tease her about it later on.

 

That does it for the arts and craft room, guess I better head to the next room on this floor.

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 2nd Floor}

 

{Move to Music Room}

 

{The music room has the same wallpaper as the rest of the 2nd floor rooms, it sports a grand piano on one corner of the room and many other types of smaller instruments in their respective cases. Wind instruments like flutes and saxophones as well as string instruments like violins and cellos can all be seen scattered along the wall. There is also a shelf filled with cds and a music player in the far right corner of the room lies a grandfather clock which occasionally makes a noise to indicate the hour changing. On the back wall there is a large window identical to the one in the arts and craft room, Reijiro and Yoshi are there}

 

{Examine Instrument Cases}

 

There are a bunch of instruments on the floor here and there… god knows I wouldn’t be able to tell apart one from another, music is definitely not my forte.

 

I’m not against listening to it but I have zero knowledge when it comes to the theory.

 

{Examine CD shelves}

 

Ha, I’m guessing this is where Monokuma got his country music from last time, these shelves are filled with CDs categorised in very specific genres. Acid pop? Pirate Metal? Wizard Rock?

 

Either I’ve lived in a cave for the my whole life or this is just a weird selection of music…

 

{Examine Piano}

 

Even someone as clueless as me can appreciate that this is a nice piano. It’s painted a very deep shade of blue, I can see my reflection gazing into it… quite fascinating.

 

The back of it is open so I can see the different strings and mallets. It all looks so complicated yet so simple at the same time… I feel almost hypnotised by the inner workings of the instrument.

 

Ok that’s it, when I get out of here, I’m learning to play the piano! Future Ultimate Pianist, here I come…

I got a chill when I said that, almost if I was going to regret it, huh… I need to stop being so paranoiac.

 

{Talk to Reijiro}

 

Reijiro is looking quite carefully at a small gadget, I wonder what it could be.

 

Hayato: Hi Reijiro, what are you up to?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Have you come to mock me…?

 

Hayato: What, of course not!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I see, your little friend seemed convinced that I was to blame for our problems… yet you claim you are not here to do the same.

 

Hayato: No… I don’t know if you’ve noticed but she isn’t my biggest fan either at the moment.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Very well, then I assume that you and I are in similar situations yes?

 

Hayato: I guess so…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} What an interesting turn of events… either way, I hope for the sake of the group that this masquerade will not stay for too long.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} The group needs a leader like me to stay afloat… I guarantee it.

 

Hayato: Oh… okay.

 

Ever so modest huh?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} If I may ask, what are you doing in the music room, do you have any interest in music?

 

Hayato: Oh uh, not really, I just thought it’d be wise to check every new room you know.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} I see…

 

Hayato: How about you?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I shall have you know that I am classically trained in four instruments, I also have been born gifted with absolute pitch.

 

Absolute pitch? That means he can identify a note simply by hearing it I think…

 

Hayato: Damn, that’s pretty cool.

 

Reijiro: Pretty cool indeed, I was comparing my wit to this machine which supposedly can be used to tune instruments.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} My abilities are not too rusty, I can still tell different notes a part perfectly.

 

Is there anything that this guy cannot do? That’s what I wanna know.

 

{Examine Grandfather clock}

 

This grandfather clock looks really heavy. It’s old and rusty but… it tells the time correctly, I checked on my Resident ID, the clock seems precise. I’m not quite sure what it does here but whatever… it’s nice decoration.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Did you know that the term “grandfather clock” actually comes from the song “My Grandfather’s Clock” from 1876?

 

Hayato: Oh… no I didn’t know that.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} …

 

Hayato: …

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} What are you staring at me for? Say something for heaven’s sake.

 

Thanks for the useless fact?

 

Note to self, Reijiro seems a lot jumpier since Hikari’s attack this morning… Poor guy.

 

{Examine Window}

 

This window looks identical to the one in the other room, same size, same view. This time the tree is really central… Actually, there is one difference with the other window, there is no screw sealing this one shut. Can I open it?

 

 

Huh, so this one can be opened without a problem. Hm… it seems quite odd that one window is sentenced while the other one works perfectly. If I ever have the time and patience for it, I’ll have to ask Monokuma for his reasoning.

 

{Talk to Yoshi}

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Howdy there broccoli boy!

 

Oh dear lord…

 

Hayato: Hi Yoshi, you look cheerful.

 

Yoshi: Damn straight, this room be perfect for the Yosh’

 

Hayato: Why is that?

 

Yoshi: {Poses} Cuz there be so many puns to be made!

 

Hayato: Oh boy.

 

Yoshi: {Arms extended over head} Ya know why I came to this room?

 

Hayato: To make bad jokes, I’m guessing…

 

Yoshi: Nuh uh! {Points at piano} It’s cuz the Yosh’ had forgotten his keys!

 

Yoshi: {Laughs} Get it! Keys? Like Piano keys?

 

Hayato: Yeah, yeah I got it.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Hm, then why ain’t you laughin’

 

Am I allowed to say that it was trash or?

 

Yoshi: D’ya know why the skeleton be joinin’ a band?

 

Hayato: Ugh, why?

 

Yoshi: {Laughs} Cuz he be lookin’ for a trom-bone! HAHAHA.

 

Stop… please. Make it stop.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Will you shut up?

 

Yoshi: {Arms extended over head} C’mon it’s hilarious. I be sure that deep down you be enjoyin’ this.

 

Nope.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Definitely not.

 

Yoshi: {Bows}Hey, d’ya know why the pianist be bangin’ his head against the piano?

 

Hayato: I don’t want to know Yoshi… please stop.

 

Yoshi: {Laughs} He be playin’ by ear! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

 

He walked up to the drumkit and… *BADUMTS*

 

 

He did the sound effect as well, he went ahead and fucking did it… oh. my.

 

Reijiro: What do we have to do to make him stop.

 

Hayato: It’s all on you Reijiro, I’m getting the hell out of here.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Nonsense, you cannot leave me alone with this clown!

 

Hayato: Yeah I can, good luck!

 

Reijiro: Ghh.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Aw, you leavin’ broccoli? Don’t matter, Hey smartypants, d’ya know why…

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Ggh no!

 

Aaaand, I’m out! Next room. Let’s go.

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 2nd Floor}

 

{Move to Archives}

 

{The archives is the same size as the two other rooms on this floor. This time the walls are painted a dark shade of grey, giving the room quite a dull and sad atmosphere. To complement with its aura, the room’s only furniture are shelves and cabinets all filled with files of all kinds and a small desk in the center of the room. The files seem to be classified yet the whole room looks to be quite a mess. There is once again a window at the back of the room. Fusume and Oriana are here}

 

{Talk to Oriana}

 

Hayato: Oriana? This doesn’t seem to be your type of place… what are you doing here.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Kyah! Um… Hayato, I… um… s-sorry. I’m a bit n-nervous.

 

Hayato: I’ve noticed.

 

Hayato: This place is kind of eerie… why don’t you go to someplace less nerve racking huh?  

 

Oriana: {Shy look} That’s what I d-d-did… uhm… at first. I went to the g-game room… but…

 

Oriana: {Cries} Raiko was there! And she… she s-scare me!

 

Understandable… truth is Raiko also scares me in a way. So I imagine that it must be tough for someone like Oriana.

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} So… so I f-followed Fusume, I felt like she uh… c-c-could keep me s-safe!

 

Oriana: {Cries} B-but, she c-came to this s-s-scary room!

 

Hayato: Ah, I see, that explains it.

 

Oriana: And now, s-she’s concentrated on reading some f-files and I’m all alone!

 

Oriana: {Cries} And I’m s-so… so… scared!

 

Hayato: Aw, it’ll be fine Oriana, I’m sure Fusume won't let anything happen to you.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} She said that s-she would uh… spend time with me when she w-was done… but…

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} Seeing as things a-a-are g-going… I think it’s probably… d-definitely, not going to h-happen.

 

Fusume seems to be fascinated by what she’s reading… maybe there’s important stuff in some of these files, I should probably take a look at them myself.

 

{Examine File Cabinets}

 

These are just filled with hundreds and hundreds of files… Judging by the subcategories that I can read, these seem to be about pretty grim events…

 

“Serial killers”, “Serial Kidnappers” “Murders”

 

And for some weird reason this doesn’t surprise me at all.

 

{Examine Window}

 

Just like the in the past two rooms, here’s a window on the far wall… I should check if it can be opened or not…

 

 

Hm, I opened it. So it’s definitely only the arts and craft window that is sentenced. Weird.

 

{Examine Desk}

 

There’s an open file on the desk, it reads “Hope’s Peak 80th class” . That sounds oddly familiar… I should-

 

Gah… the moment I started thinking about it, my head started hurting real bad. As if I was trying to access something off limits in my brain.

 

I need to read this file. There’s gotta be something important in there.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Stop.

 

Hayato: Aghh…

 

Fusume: {Grabs file} This is not any of your business… please refrain from touching this file.

 

Dammit.

 

{Talk to Fusume}

 

Hayato: Why can’t I read it Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Plays with Shuriken} I am still in the middle of my lecture of the file. I would like to be aware of all its information before sharing it with any of you.

 

Hayato: But why? What does this file contain that I can’t see?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Sensitive information… about us.

 

Hayato: About us?

 

Wait… is she saying that…

 

Hayato: Are we the 80th class?

 

Fusume: {Thoughtful} It… it definitely seems that way. That is why I must make sure that nothing else is amiss.

 

Hayato: Nothing else? That means that there is already something wrong! What is it?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ngh, you got me…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Fine, if you really need to know, there might be someone dangerous in our midst.

 

Someone dangerous… in our midst?

 

Hayato: Whaaat?

 

Fusume: As you have noticed, these files mostly contain information about killers and criminals, and it appears that one of these lawbreakers hides in our ranks.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} To avoid chaos… We must keep this to ourselves. Understood?

 

Hayato: But… but… are you sure? Are you 100% sure that someone like this is here with us.

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} The file does not seem to lie… that is all I can tell you for now.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Now give me some space, I want to be able to concentrate on this…

 

Fusume: {Confident} I shall keep you posted, I promise. Now, go and investigate , I’m sure you still have places to visit.

 

A criminal… here with us? There is just no way… I won’t believe that one of my friends could be somebody like that. I’m sure Fusume just read it wrong or something. Yeah that’s it… she’ll just call me in a couple of hours to tell me she was wrong.

 

I guess all I can do for now is leave her to it and continue my exploration of the building… I’ll keep in mind that I need to come back to this room though… it definitely is going to contain some sort of important information.

 

I know it!

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 2nd Floor}

 

That’s it for the second floor, I’ve checked out all three rooms, time to check what the top floor has to offer.

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 3rd Floor}

 

{Scene opens on a big area with a dome-shaped ceiling. The entire floor looks like an observatory with a big telescope pointed to the sky, astronomy books kept tidily on bookcases and scientific looking material in the different corners of the room} The walls and ceiling are painted dark blue with stars and planets scattered around the mimic the space, Shinto and Yoko are here}

 

The third floor was different than the two other floors in that there were no “rooms” so to speak. The floor was the room. I’m guessing it’s supposed to be an observatory of sorts but… the roof is closed and has no window so… I’m not quite sure what you’re supposed to be observing with that huge telescope.

 

{Examine Bookshelves}

 

Hm, books about stars, planets and galaxies. Seeing books like this makes me put everything into perspective… I mean, some of us here have the biggest egos because we’re Ultimate Students and whatnot but in the grandness of things… we’re all minuscule.

 

Deep stuff… takeaway from this mini-rant is that people should pipe down about how great they are. Not targeting anyone in particular ahem…   

 

{Examine Telescope} 

 

Still kind of unsure what the point of this is telescope is… there’s nothing to see except the ceiling.

 

Hmm… this seems oddly pointless.

 

{Talk to Shinto and Yoko}

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} You know what Hayato, I love this room.

 

Hayato: You do?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} You see, my dear Shinto loves observing the stars… it’s like this room was made for him.

 

Shinto: That’s right! I feel like I’m going to spend a lot of time here.

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} These stars are synonymous with our relationship… it’s a habit of ours to watch the star together every evening. They remind us of the beauty of the world…

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} And thanks to this observatory we can do that here too!

 

Hayato: That’s cute and all but… how can you see the stars? The telescope only points to the ceiling…

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Are you serious?

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Don’t judge him honey, Hayato simply hasn’t pushed the telescope button yet.

 

Hayato: The telescope button? What is that?

 

Shinto: {Bends forward with finger pointing} Why don’t you check for yourself. There’s a blue button on the telescope handle, go ahead and give it a push.

 

Okay…

 

{Examine Telescope}

 

I got closer to the telescope and pressed on the blue button on the handle and then…

 

{The roof of the observatory slowly opens up to reveal a panoramic open space. The evening sky can be seen through the gap}

 

Hayato: Oh my god!

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} You see now? D’you realise how great this place is?

 

Yoko: {Kisses framed picture of Shinto} We’re going to be able to watch the stars in so much detail!

 

So… the roof can be opened up thanks to this button…

 

Hayato: I… I had no idea such a room was in this building.

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Pretty damn impressive huh?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Monokuma told us that the roof can’t always be open for like aeration reasons or whatnot.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} But when it’s open we’re damn free to look to the sky and be happy with ourselves.

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} You said it.

 

I’m glad to see that they’re doing fine… despite everything that happened yesterday. In a sense, I guess that they are lucky to have each other in this situation. The rest of us are alone… I wish… I wish I could talk to Hikari again.

 

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Welp, seeing the sky reminds me that it’s almost night time.

 

What? Already? It feels like I just arrived in the building less than an hour ago… Time flies huh.

 

{Roof closes}

 

Yoko: Alright, we should probably head off to dinner then. I’m starving.

 

So am I… I basically haven’t eaten anything since breakfast.

 

Hayato: Alright, let’s go then-

 

{The monitor in the room turns on, Monokuma can be seen in his usual jacuzzi} 

 

Monokuma: What’s up y’all! I hope you had a fun day exploring the yellow building and the resort as a whole.

 

Monokuma: Without further ado, I’ve got an important announcement for you bastards, reception desk, in five minutes.

 

Monokuma: Don’t be late.

 

{Back to normal}

 

Yoko: {Pulling on choker} There goes dinner I guess…

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Don’t you worry honey, I’m sure it won’t take long. Then we can go get some food.

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} Sure thing. {Neutral expression} We’ll see you there Hayato.

 

Shinto and Yoko left.

 

 

Alright, I don’t want to be late… I’d better go to the reception desk.

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 1st Floor}

 

{Leave Building}

 

{Move to Black Building - 1st Floor}

 

{Move to Aula}

 

{All 14 students appear in the main aula}

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} The day comes to a close, I hope that everyone did the investigating that they wanted to do.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} You damn right I investigated that pool though!

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Can you be any more useless?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Hey it wasn’t just me! Jessie was with me doing nothing!

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Oopsie! Désolée! At least we had a good time right?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Sitting idly when we should seek a way out of here is quite foolish…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} You mean as foolish as watching two of your classmates die?

 

Reijiro: Ngh…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Oh no, Hikari’s still in pissed off mode. She scares me.

 

Hikari: {Snarls with angry expression} I’m not gonna forgive this coward any time soon.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} I am… no coward.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Well… you did see Kyia’s body and do nothing about it.

 

Kenji: {Furious} So did you bitch! You also saw Kyia and left him there!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Wrong, I didn’t do nothing… I actually acted upon my discovery.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} I just decided to have fun, that’s all.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} You… you twisted bitch.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That is enough, you will keep the childish argument for later. We should prepare ourselves for the bear’s arrival.

 

Monokuma: {Appears} The bear has arrived.

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaah! He’s a-arrived!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I’ve arrived!

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} Are you seriously gonna repeat each other’s words like that?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} What do you want Monokuma?

 

Monokuma: {Flips to show dark side} First things first I gotta say that I’m impressed, y’all are already squabbling and I haven't even said my part yet.

 

Shinto: But what is your part?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Have you c-come to open up m-m-more of the resort?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Or is he simply here to boast…?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} No, no… you see. I know what’s gonna happen in the coming days.

 

Hayato: What do you mean?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} You bastards are still shocked by the death of your classmates but you decide to be hopeful.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Not everybody’s being hopeful to be fair…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Who the hell are you talking to?

 

Monokuma: Anyway, this climate of hope continues and you promise that no murder is going to happen and blah blah blah… it’s all bullshit.

 

Hayato: It’s no bullshit! No murder is actually going to-

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Shut up! I’ve seen it before, you think that everything is going to be fine. You start to trust each other! And then… you get betrayed.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} This… will not happen.

 

Hayato: It would never happen to us. None of us here are capable of murder.

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} Well, Raiko is.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} True… but as I said I won’t kill just yet… it’s too early to put my ass on the line.

 

Hayato: R-right. Anyways a murder won’t happen.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Of course it will, it just… takes a long time.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} You see, the period between the first and second trial is always the most boring.

 

Yoko: {Awkward} How would… you know that?

 

Monokuma: Doesn’t matter. The fact is that y’all always take ages to kill soooo, because I don’t want to get bored this time.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I’m going to introduce your second motive tonight!

 

Hayato: What?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} So… soon?

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Ain’t we gettin’ some breathin’ time?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Nuh uh. The motive will be unveiled tonight, so hopefully one of y’all will decide to murder real soon and we can get the show on the road again.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} N-no… we won’t kill again.

 

Oriana: {Cries} I don’t w-want to go through the c-c-class t-trial again!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} This is so cruel.

 

Jessie: {Sad} We just lost Kyia-kun and Fukami-chan… I can’t handle this again

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Well tough shit. Now, if you’re done yapping let me get to the motive.

 

What is it this time? The first motive, those videos… it was responsible for Fukami and Kyia’s deaths.

 

{Flashback}

 

Monokuma: {On tablet} And this is how the Ota corporation went bankrupt after its leader Fukami Ota went missing. The young entrepreneur, still stuck in the resort, was ruined, and she didn’t even know it yet!

 

Fukami: {Holds head and bends backwards} Ruined? no way… not me.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

The first motive is what caused the first murder… could it be that this second motive… no. There’s no way that one of us will die again. I have faith in this group.

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Now, before I reveal everything I will call out your names two by two. The resident that you are called with will be your partner.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Partner?

 

Monokuma: For this motive you will be in pairs, I’ll explain the rest just after, now be quiet and listen for who you’ll be paired with.

 

We’re going to have partners… And then what? This could be an attempt to bring the group further apart as a whole. I don’t like where this is going.

 

Monokuma: Hikari and Kôzuke.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Oh… uh, I uh…  respect you Hikari, I hope we will get along and uh…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} I have nothing against you Kôzuke, but keep quiet alright?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} Nyaah! S-sorry.

 

So Hikari’s with Kôzuke… guess this won’t be my chance to talk to her either.

 

Monokuma: Yoshi and Oriana.

 

Yoshi: {Poses} Ayt ayt, as the performers of the group, the Yosh’ be sure that we’ll be a great pair!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Y-yes… thank y-you for the k-k-kind words… I hope I won’t b-be too much of a d-d-dead weight.

 

Monokuma: Reijiro and Rina.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, I see.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Ugh, what now. On a scale of annoyance from 1 to 13 he’s a solid 11… a celebrity like me shouldn’t have to stick with the pleb.

 

Monokuma: Tadao and Raiko.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Ooh, interesting. You’re an intriguing one Tadao darling, {Evil smile} We’re going to have tons of fun together.

 

Tadao: {Sombre} …

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} Surprise surprise, the two weirdos are partners.

 

Monokuma: Shinto and Jessie.

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Alright, let’s get along well, Shinto-kun.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Of course-

 

Yoko: {Angry} WAIT A GODDAMN SECOND! WHY IS SHINTO NOT WITH ME?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Come on, darling, no need to scream.

 

Yoko: {Angry} Do you not care? We’re not paired up and you just don’t give a shit. You like her is that it?

 

Shinto: N-no, of course not.

 

Jessie: {Stroking chin} You shouldn’t get angry Yoko-chan, I’m not interested.

 

Yoko: MONOKUMA! WHY?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Hey! I make the choices here, pipe down! It’d be boring if the couple was together, so I decided to switch it up.

 

Yoko: {Angry} This is not fair!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} You can write a letter of complaint, now I’m going to continue my listing and you better be quiet.

 

Yoko: Grrrr…

 

Monokuma: Where was I… oh yes, next Kenji and Yoko.

 

Yoko: {Angry} Fuck you Monokuma! You’re separating me from my Shinto. I’ll never accept any one else as my partner.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Glad to be with you too, partner! Well, it could have been worse, you are pretty fit so…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Back up asshole, she’s my girlfriend.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Tch, whatever.

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} Like a modern knight, my Shinto flies to my rescue… oh, how tragic that we are to be separated from one another.

 

In all honesty, I’ve never seen Shinto act like this… guess he would get defensive around his girlfriend.

 

Monokuma: And finally, the last pair is Hayato and Fusume.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Very well, I trust that we will make a good team Hayato.

 

Hayato: Yeah, o-of course!

 

Fusume’s probably the best person I could have been paired with… we get along pretty well and I know I can trust her to keep us safe. Looks like I got lucky this time.

 

Monokuma: That concludes it for the pairings, please stand next to your partner.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Ugh, do we have to?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} That’s an order!

 

Begrudgingly, we shuffled around to stand next to our designated partner.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} So… what do these pairings mean Monokuma?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} And w-why are we p-p-paired up boy-girl.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} You’re expecting us to fuck?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Not happening big guy.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} No, not quite. These partnerships are going to be important because from now on… your lives depend on one another.

 

Hayato: What does that mean…?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} It means that if one of y’all dies… their partner will be punished.

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} PFFF

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} Wh-what?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Oh no… oh nonononono.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} What do you mean punished? Are you talking about execution?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Wouldn’t you like to know, I’ll be keeping this a secret for the moment.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} All you gotta know is that you don’t want your partner dying… or your life expectancy will suddenly decrease upupupu.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} How… intriguing.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} This is… horrible.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} A murder now costs two lives instead of one, how disastrous.

 

Hayato: Wait, how is this going to incentivise us to kill? Why would that encourage it?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Well, a few reasons, you can harm someone you want to harm without directly having to harm them… it’s pretty practical especially if that someone is stronger than you for example.

 

Yoko: {Scared} Ggh, I’m paired up with the strongest one here… does that make me a target?

 

Shinto: {Serious} I won’t let anything happen to you Yoko, I promise.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Neither will I… don’t worry.

 

Monokuma: Secondly… well let’s just say that some additional perks of committing a murder will be announced when the time is right.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} What? You’re not telling us everything right now?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Nope, you’re just gonna have to trust me that it is very advantageous to kill under this new motive.

 

Monokuma: That’s all you’re getting tonight.

 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} This… this is…

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Alrighty, I’m guessing some of y’all will now have to start planning their murders, hopefully the yellow building will be a source of inspiration, I’ll see you tomorrow for some additional information.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} But trust me… you don’t want to miss on this opportunity. You better hurry to get that kill.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Adios. Sweet dreams upupu. {Leaves}

 

 

We… stayed in silence for a minute or so… gobsmacked by this new development.

 

Any of us could now kill two people at once… Monokuma made it this much easier to take our friends’ lives… This is bad.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I don’t think there’s any use in discussing this right now… We’re all shocked.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} You bet your ass we’re shocked.

 

Oriana: {Cries} I don’t w-want to die.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} We should all have a good night’s sleep and figure out what we are going to do tomorrow morning.

 

Fusume: {Confident} But I, Fusume Ebisawa, promise that I will keep you all safe.

 

Shinto: We should go to sleep you’re right… I’m too tired and… shocked to think straight.

 

Yoko: {Pull on choker} Same here… this is quite the announcement.

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} We will all be more prepared to discuss safety measures tomorrow, for now… everybody should be careful to lock their rooms and sleep.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} That is… probably for the best, we do not want to act impulsively under the shock of the motive.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} I don’t need your approval.

 

Reijiro: Fine.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Alright, good night everyone… we’ll do our best tomorrow. {Leaves}

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} She’ll keep us safe huh? I doubt it. {Leaves}

 

Raiko: {Giggles} What an interesting turn of events hehehe…  {Leaves}

 

Everyone gradually left to their respective rooms leaving only Fusume and I in the aula.

 

Fusume: … We’ll manage through this Hayato.

 

Hayato: Yeah… we have to.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I trust you to help me maintain order tomorrow. This will be quite a battle. {Leaves}

 

Alright… better do like them and go sleep, no point in staying here by myself.

 

{Move to Room hallway}

 

*CLICK CLICK*

 

What the hell? Why is my door not opening. The key won’t turn in the lock… oh god, what is this?

 

Monokuma: {Appears} Oh Hi there, I forgot to warn you.

 

Hayato: Ugh, Monokuma, what now?

 

Monokuma: {Sweats} Don’t be so rude, this is for your own safety.

 

Hayato: Just tell me what you did, so I can get inside my room.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} I have decided that murders inside one’s room were pretty boring so I decided to add a layer of security.

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} To open your door you’ll have to use your key and scan your Resident ID, like so.

 

He grabbed my Resident ID from my jacket pocket and and waved it in front of the door handle, causing a little ringing sound in response.

 

Monokuma: Now you can enter your room. You’re welcome for making sure your rooms are safe! Of course, only your own ID will open your room, so don’t go trying and opening other people’s rooms.

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} That’s it for me, Monokuma out. {Disappears}

 

Okay then… I guess it’s kinda reassuring to know that nobody can enter my room, while I’m holding on to my Resident ID, I can sleep on both ears then.

 

{Move to Hayato’s room}

 

Entering my room, I dropped my clothes and immediately fell on my bed.

 

It’s a new day, we’re over the first class trial, we have a new building to live in and we can now access the outside resort.

 

It’s a new day, but I can’t say that I’m feeling good, because this feels way too familiar. This new motive is coming in very early and I fear for what this might do to the group.

 

Two lives for the price of one… at least I’m paired up with Fusume who I know can defend herself but still… no one of us will be crazy enough to attempt a murder again right?

 

My head heavy with questions, it took me a long time before I finally managed to fall asleep and let go of my worries for this short period of time. Little did I know, this moment of serenity wouldn’t last long.

 

Monokuma Theater

 

Monokuma: You know what I hate with all my heart?

 

Monokuma: Makeup! What a dumb human invention that is.

 

Monokuma: Makeup just gives you false promises of beauty that won’t actually be fulfilled.

 

Monokuma: If you meet a girl and she’s wearing makeup, you’re bound to eventually be disappointed when you see her without it.

 

Monokuma: That’s it, makeup just set ups a future disappointment. If you’re ugly just accept it dammit!

 

Monokuma: Don’t give others the impression that you’re good looking by deceiving them, by effectively lying to them!

 

Monokuma: Makeup is for liars! That’s why you’ll never see me wearing any type of makeup.

 

Monokuma: What you get is the real thing with this bear… not need for lies and subterfuge.

 

Monokuma: Obviously I was born with perfect features so I guess I’m lucky in that domain.

 

Monokuma: What if you’re not perfect like me? Well, too bad, you’ll just have to live with it I guess!

 

Monokuma: Just accept your ugliness upupu!

 

 

Notes:

Already a new motive? Who will give in to temptation and commit the second murder and what additional perks could Monokuma be talking about?

Free time events start next chapter so please vote for your free time picks in the comments or using this link : https://www.strawpoll.me/17176282

As usual, comments and feedback are very appreciated,

That's it for me, I'll start working on part 2 as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading and see you in the next one :)

Chapter 17: Chapter 2 : A Gentle Melody for a Lost Soul : Daily Life part 2

Notes:

And we're back at the resort!! Let's see what happens now that Monokuma revealed his latest motive, free time slots go to Raiko and Fusume, enjoy :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a Jacuzzi, holding some sort of cocktail glass in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Gooood Morning! This is your director speaking, it’s now 8:00 AM! Look out the window, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. A perfect weather to kill wouldn’t you say?

Get ready for a spectacular day everyone!

 

It took me ages to fall asleep last night… I wish I could stay in bed just a little bit longer but no, I need to head off to breakfast and meet the others.

We have to discuss Monokuma’s motive and figure out a way to keep everyone safe.

 

Also I’m starving, I basically haven’t eaten since yesterday morning.

 

Let’s just get going.

 

{Move to Room Hallway}

 

{Talk to Kenji}

 

Hayato: Good morning Kenji!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} *Sigh* It’s you, sup.

 

Hayato: Are you okay? You seem out of it.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I do?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Ugh, I don’t know, this whole new motive shit is stressing me the fuck out.

 

Hayato: Yeah, I get that…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} No, no you don’t. I’m the strongest one here y’feel me. That’s why I haven’t felt threatened at all this far, but now…

 

Hayato: I know what you mean, somebody could attack Yoko to get to you.

 

Kenji: Tch… they better not or I’ll kill the motherfucker…

 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} The fuck you looking at? It’s okay if it’s in self-defense.

 

Hayato: But it wouldn’t actually be in self-defense would it?

 

Kenji: {Furious} …

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You talk too much bro… you should be careful about that.

 

Hayato: W-what?

 

Kenji: {Clenched fist} Stay out of my way.

 

With that he pushed me out of the way and stormed off towards the cafeteria.

 

I talk too much? And… was that a threat just then? I should probably be cautious around this guy…

 

 

Enough daydreaming, I should head to the restaurant.

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor}

 

{Move to Restaurant}

 

{Scene opens up to show the cafeteria with the whole group but Raiko present}

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’re late again Hayato.

 

Hayato: Eep, s-sorry.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hm, it does not matter just… sit down and let us get this underway.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} …

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} …

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Everybody seems rather tense after Monokuma unveiled his latest motive last night…

 

{Flashback}

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} These partnerships are going to be important because from now on… your lives depend on one another.

 

Hayato: What does that mean…?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} It means that if one of y’all dies… their partner will be punished.

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} PFFF

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} Wh-what?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Oh no… oh nonononono.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} What do you mean punished? Are you talking about execution?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Wouldn’t you like to know, I’ll be keeping this a secret for the moment.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} All you gotta know is that you don’t want your partner dying… or your life expectancy will suddenly decrease upupupu.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

I understand how stressing this is but come on guys… no need to look so gloomy.

 

Jessie: {Waving} Come sit with me Hayato-kun!

 

Hayato: Okay.

 

Seeing how she is the only one who seems in a relatively good mood, I think I’ll oblige, I feel like everybody else has the potential to hit me.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I’ll be honest, I’d rather not have to do this every morning… quite clearly the leadership system of this group is useless.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Anyways, this new motive means we have to do something in order to stay safe so I’ll stay here while we discuss these things.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Just make it quick Fusume.

 

Fusume: Very well.

 

It seems that Fusume has kind of taken the role of leader from Kyia and Reijiro who both dropped from their function for obvious reasons. It hasn’t actually been made explicit that she is the leader but I feel like everyone trusts her enough for her to be in that position.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} C’mon then, we’re all waiting here.

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} I shall make my points brief.

 

{Talk to Fusume}

 

Fusume: {Confident} Thank you all for listening, I know that last night’s motive reveal is probably troubling more than one of us.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Tch, you said it.

 

Oriana: {Cries} I don’t w-wanna die!

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} It’s still confusing to me that Monokuma would give us a new motive so soon after the last trial…

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} It’s like we’ve got no time to get back to normal… we have to go straight back to the killing.

 

Fusume: I understand your concerns however… please think about it. This motive… is not really a motive.

 

Kôzuke: {Surprised} Huh?

 

Hayato: What do you mean Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Hm, you see… this motive is simply telling us that killing someone will affect two people instead of one.

 

Fusume: {Confident} And that’s essentially it.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, she has got a point. This motive is perhaps making it easier for us to commit a murder, but it is not actually giving us any reason to kill.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} No reason to kill you say?

 

Fusume: Take the first motive, these videos played with our feelings and made us want to go back home to protect the people and things we live for.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} The v-video showed me… uh… h-h-horrible things…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I’m pretty sure that we all saw things that we didn’t want to see.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} The videos appealed to our emotions and our fears.

 

Hikari: {Sad} It’s by doing this that Monokuma got to Fukami…

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} And it’s cuz of these videos that the first murder occured.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Ach, please don’t be remindin’ us of them things…

 

Fusume: {Confident} What you need to understand is that this new motive does not actually give us any reason to kill.

 

Hayato: It doesn’t?

 

Fusume: {Face resting on hands} I have seen my fair share of killers and I can tell just by looking at all of you that nobody here comes close to being a potential killer.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Can you really be sure of that man…?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I am convinced. Nobody here is capable of committing a murder.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Fukami and Kyia only did what they did because they felt like they had no choice… They were good people also.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Let me stop you right there ninja girl.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} What do you mean to say?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} You claim that nobody here is capable of killing someone but that’s only cuz Raiko isn’t here

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} We know that the bitch could kill one of us just for her own fun.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} She did say such things at the class trial didn’t she?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} She… tried killing Kyia.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} She wouldn’t a-actually kill one of us r-right?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I find it hard to believe that she would.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What do you mean by that?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} She has already said it many times since yesterday.

 

Reijiro: {Glares} She will not commit a murder “this early” in the killing game”

 

Hayato: That’s right! She said she didn’t want to risk losing the game so soon.

 

Rina: {Scared} So soon? Does that mean she thinks that there are gonna be more deaths?

 

Reijiro: I believe so yes…

 

Actually, Fukami said something similar right before the murder two nights ago…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fukami: It would be a bad move on her behalf to kill this early in the game as we would automatically suspect her…

 

Kôzuke: What do you mean this early? You think there are going to be multiple murders? But I thought we said we weren't going to let that happen man.

 

It is quite a statement she made… What if? No. No, I can’t afford to think like her. Realistically, nobody here seems capable of such a crime… Even Raiko… she wouldn’t kill someone would she? It’s too horrible of a thing seriously.

 

Fukami: {Stoic} As much as I do hate to say it, this outcome does seem… inevitable to me, especially given Monokuma’s motives, that is unless we find a way out of this resort, that should be our main concern from tomorrow on.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

We were already worried by Raiko and back then, Fukami already understood how Raiko functionned… she definitely was really smart, it’s such a shame that she ended up… argh, I can’t think like that!

 

Hayato: I agree with Reijiro.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} How surprising.

 

Hayato: W-wait hear me out…

 

Yoshi: {Flips hair} Da floor be yours!

 

Hayato: As Raiko made clear last night, her main goal in the killing game is to have fun by… messing with us.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Tch, twisted bitch…

 

Hayato: This means that if she was to commit a murder and fail to get away with it…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} She would miss out on more opportunity to play her malicious game.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} C’est triste… she is the Ultimate Schemer, I guess.

 

Fusume: Either way, I think that we can trust that she won’t try to kill anyone just yet…

 

Hikari: {Snarls with angry expression} Oh so you trust her now? I see…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} That’s not what I said…

 

Hikari: I’m getting tired of listening to all of you talk… can we just skip to the important news you had to tell us Fusume?

 

Fusume: Very well, the way I see it this motive actually encourages us to protect each other.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Protect each other?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes, our lives now also depend on someone else’s, therefore we should make sure that our partner is safe.

 

Shinto: I see… so this means that if we were to protect our partner it would be hard for someone to try to kill them.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I mean, it’s still possible isn’t it?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} It seems pretty комплицирано, the killer would risk being seen by their victim’s partner.

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} And if we knew who the killer was… they wouldn’t stand a chance in the class trial.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} That logic… finna stand.

 

It would definitely discourage anyone from trying anything if there was always a potential witness around…

 

Reijiro: {Flips through book pages} A murder… only happened because someone was left alone for long enough time for the killer to strike.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Gh… if we hadn’t let Fukami alone then both her and Kyia might still be alive man…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Kyia…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} It’s all because of the clown’s stupid accident…  

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Wawawa?

 

Yoshi: {Looking through hair, bitter expression} Don’t look at me like that…

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Y-Yoshi?

 

Yoshi: {Bows} My bad… just don’t go forgettin’ that the accident was the bear’s fault ayt?

 

Jessie: {Frightened} Yoshi-kun… just got so scary for a second.

 

Yoshi’s change of expression… he suddenly looked so angry, it’s not the first time I see him like that as well… Something’s up with him, this time I’m sure I’m not imagining it.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Either way… Yoshi’s right, the accident was Monokuma’s fault not his… there’s no point in arguing about it now.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Tch, whatever… I don’t really care, to be honest

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It is also counterproductive to reminisce about the death of two of our classmates, the only thing that matter is keeping everyone safe now.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Kind of like you failed to keep Kyia and Fukami safe huh?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Please, there is no point in bringing this up aga-

 

Hikari: You’re a coward Reijiro, that’s all there is to it.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph, I have no interest in knowing what you think of me…

 

Hikari: {Snarls with angry expression} You have no interest in any of us either! All you care about is yourself!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Enough. Let me finish and then you two can go your own way.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} প্রকৃতপক্ষে, stop arguing please!

 

Hikari: {Sad} Fine, just get it over quickly please.

 

Reijiro: I am not the warmonger here…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Just shut up yeah?

 

Hayato: Fusume… please continue.

 

Fusume: Thank you, I shall just get to the meat of my argument.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I propose that starting from now, we stay with our partners at all time.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You mean like a buddy system?

 

Fusume: Essentially yes, as I previously said, by always having your partner in sight, it will make it almost impossible for anyone to murder.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But… you just said that no one of us was capable of killing…

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} I said that, however, we do not know what tricks Monokuma has in his bag, I would rather be cautious.

 

Hayato: So you want us to be with our partners at all times then?

 

Fusume: Yes that is it, I believe we should try to remain in pairs as often as possible,

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Except at night obviously…

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} Doesn’t that m-mean that we could be in d-d-d-danger at night?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} With Monokuma’s new security system in our rooms, I think we are actually the safest in our rooms.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Exactly, I would not worry about what happens after the night time announcement, as long as you stay in your room, you should be fine.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Hold on a second, I don’t wanna be spending all my precious time with any of you.

 

Rina: {Angry} Especially not with this loser.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph, I’m assuming you are referring to me.

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} Damn right… why the hell would I wanna spend time with this guy.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Perhaps because it could help you stay safe…

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Ew, no thanks… you’ve seen how skinny this guy is as well? He’s not keeping me safe from shit…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Would you rather die?

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} That’s not a threat is it?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} No, of course not… I just think that us sticking in our pairs is the best way to make sure that everyone stays safe.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Whatever, you can follow me from afar if you want Reijiro but don’t expect me to actually talk to you…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, I see.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Is anyone else against such a buddy system?

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} I d-don’t mind spending t-t-time with uh… Yoshi.

 

Yoshi: {Bows} The pleasure be all mine Music Box!

 

At least these two seem to be happy.

 

Yoko: {Awkward} I… I have a problem with it!

 

Fusume: What now?

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} I don’t wanna spend my days with Kenji!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What? The fuck have I done to you?

 

Yoko: {Pissed off} I wanna be with Shinto alright! This isn’t fair!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} We did not make the pairings Yoko, you cannot blame us for the ways things are.

 

Yoko: Just let me be with Shinto and Kenji can just stay with Jessie.

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} I wouldn’t mind that actually Yoko-chan, if it makes you happy…

 

Fusume: {Confident} No, it would defeat the whole idea of this system if we were to mix up the pairings.

 

Yoko: {Pissed off} What!!?

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} It’s okay dear, we can just hang out as a foursome? Like that we don’t break the buddy system.

 

Yoko: {Blank expression} You… you jerk. Why do you never back me up?!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Yoko my love, I just don’t think we should be making a scene like that… let’s just agree to this and-

 

Yoko: {Pissed off} I DON’T WANT TO BE WITH KENJI!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Seriously, the fuck have I done?

 

Yoko: {Awkward} I know guys like you, you only think with your dick… just because I’m attractive you’re gonna… ugh I don’t even wanna think about it.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Hey, don’t act like you know me like that…

 

Yoko: {Pissed off} Are you seriously not going to back me up on this Shinto?

 

Shinto: {Sad} Listen, Yoko…

 

Yoko: Fine. Suit yourself, you’ve said your piece Fusume, now I’m going to go.

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} Have fun with Jessie… jerk. {Leaves}

 

Shinto: {Sad} Ngh…

 

 

So yeah… that just happened

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Shouldn’t somebody go after her man?

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} I… I…  

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I’ll go.

 

Shinto: {Sad} Kenji…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Save it, I’ll try to stay with her, your little system better work Fusume…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Thank you Kenji.

 

Kenji: See y’all later. {Leaves}

 

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} Yoko… why…

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} It’ll be okay Shinto-kun… don’t worry about her too much!

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} Ah young love… how cute.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I hope that nobody else has any objections…

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Actually, I have a question.

 

Fusume: *sigh* Go ahead.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} What’s going to happen for Tadao… he can’t exactly spend his time with Raiko can he?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Well um…

 

Shoot… I hadn’t thought about that either.

 

Fusume: I think that-

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} I’ll manage. No need to worry about me.

 

Fusume: {Surprised} Oh uh… are you sure.

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Yes, I am.

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} Okay then man, if you say so.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I think that we have spoken at length… it is now time to go our own ways…

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} At the end of the day, you all can do whatever you want but I would advise that you respect this pairing system… for your own safety.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I guess it’s the best way for us to remains safe huh…

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} We’re gonna be there for each other yay!

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} A-ah! I feel better now!

 

Fusume: Good… I am glad that you are all taking this so well.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} It’s an okay idea at best.

 

Fusume: What?

 

Hikari: {Sad} But… I can’t say that I have any better idea at the moment so…

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I guess I’ll follow your advice for now.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Thank you Hikari.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Don’t think that it means that I trust you or anything… I’m just doing what’s best for my safety.

 

Fusume: Very well.

 

Hikari’s still not going to trust anyone… I really wish I could just talk to her…

 

Hikari: {Softly} Come on Kôzuke, let’s go and do something of our day.

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} Y-yeah okay! Definitely.

 

Hikari: {Sad} I’ll see the rest of you later, maybe…

 

Kôzuke: Have a nice day everyone!

 

They both left.

 

Fusume: That is it for my announcements… now, go and live your lives.

 

Shinto: {Looks to floor} …

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up}  Ha en bra dag everybody!

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Ugh, whatever…

 

Reijiro: {Points at Fusume} You.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Yes?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Thank you… for being a better leader than I was

 

Fusume: {Blushes} Oh… uh, thank you Reijiro.

 

Did Reijiro just compliment someone? No way!

 

 

Hayato: You’re turning red Fusume. Somebody’s a little flustered by Reijiro’s nice words.

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} No. I am not. A ninja is not affected by their emotions.

 

Hayato: O-okay… sorry!

 

Note to self, don’t joke around with Fusume.

 

 

Little by little, all the remaining pairs left the restaurant leaving once again only Fusume and I.

 

Fusume: {Hand resting on hands} I think that this was… relatively successful.

 

Hayato: It went as well as it could have with all the strong personalities here, I think you did well Fusume,

 

Fusume: Thank you… Hopefully, the group will realise that this is the best way to keep everyone safe…

 

Hayato: I think everyone here is smart enough to understand that… we shouldn’t worry about it too much.

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hand} Hm… It would be wise to still check on everyone tonight to make sure that everybody stay with their partner…

 

She looks worried that people won’t follow her system… I mean with people like Rina and Yoko who rejected the idea immediately, I can understand her concern.

 

I honestly hope that people will follow her advice though… it definitely would encourage people not to murder… not that anybody would do it anyway. We’ve been over this. None of us here are killers. There will not be another murder. I’m sure of it.

 

 

Hayato: So, what do you want to do today?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} I have no specific plans in mind.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Why don’t you go and spend the day the way you please, I will follow you wherever you decide to go.

 

Hayato: Oh uh, you sure you want to do that?

 

Fusume: {Content} Absolutely, just do not mind me. I will not interfere with your daily life.

 

Hayato: Okay then…

 

Great so I’m gonna have Fusume stalking me today huh… who am I kidding, this is a good thing, I know that I’ll be safe with her around.

 

 

Guess it’s up to me then, what do I want to do today?

 

{Free Time starts} 

 

{Exit Black Building}

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 1st floor}

 

{Move to Game Room} 

 

{Raiko and Tadao stand in different corners of the room}

 

{Talk to Raiko} 

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} If it isn’t my favorite author that came to say hi. I’m surprised that someone actually wants to talk to me hehe.

 

Do I really want to spend time with Raiko?

 

{Yes/No}

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Alright then, it’s the game room, so let’s play some games together Hayato!

 

Fusume: {Confident} I shall go talk to Tadao if you want to spend time with Raiko, do not hesitate to call out of help if anything… suspicious happens.

 

 

I spent the morning playing different board games with Raiko, unsurprisingly she smashed me in every single one of them. I guess that being a good tactician comes with her talent.

 

I think we grew a little closer.

 

Raiko: {Head tilted} It’s your turn to play Hayato… choose your next move carefully

 

The last game we decided to play was chess. I think that I know the basics but I’m really not an expert so I don’t have high hopes with this one.

 

Hayato: I guess… I’ll just move my bishop here.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Ha! You fell right in my trap. With your bishop out of the way I can take my queen and… check.

 

Hayato: Ah, dammit, I didn’t see this coming.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} That’s your problem Hayato… you’re smart but you don’t think about your next move enough.

 

Hayato: What do you mean by that?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} You see, in any game you play, you always have to be two… three… even four steps ahead of your opponents.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} That is the only way you’re going to win.

 

Hayato: Hm, okay… so you’ve seen my move coming huh?

 

Raiko: {Head tilted} Yup, you’re pretty see through not gonna lie…

 

Hayato: Oh… I am?

 

Raiko: In every single game we’ve played, I basically knew what you were going to do a good minute before you did it. You have some serious tells.

 

Hayato: Tells? Like what?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} It wouldn’t be fun if I told you would it? Just play hehe, try to get out of this one.

 

Okay, Hayato think. My king is in check, I need to get it to safety or I’ll lose.

 

Hayato: Okay, I’m going to take my king and move it here.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Hehe, it’s almost surprising how obvious you are… I knew you were going to do that.

 

Hayato: Wait, I had no other option, that’s the only square I could actually move my king to!

 

Raiko: {Head tilted} But that’s because you only thought about fleeing. The only move you took into consideration was to move your king away from danger.

 

Raiko: By doing that, you risk putting your king in a situation where he cannot move any place without getting checked.

 

A situation where I can’t play without losing, that’s called a

    1. Checkmate
    2. Stalemate
    3. Flatmate

 

Hayato: I could be putting myself in stalemate right?

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Correct! If your king is in stalemate, then it’s a draw… nobody comes out victorious from the game.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} It’s just a shame that you did not think of the other ways to save yourself.

 

Hayato: There were other ways?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You had two other options that would have worked well.

 

Raiko: Number one, take one of your pawns and block my attack.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Just sacrifice some unimportant person’s life instead of yours, that way you would have survived the game.

 

Wait… is she doing what I think she is?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} The other option would have been even more efficient, you could have captured my queen using your knight.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} This way, the queen is dead and it’s not coming back, there is no threat left and your king… is safe.

 

Hayato: Yeah… I didn’t see that I could do that.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} I know, you didn’t look hard enough Hayato… you had two ways out of the threat but you failed to see them.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} You didn’t realise that in this game, there are many ways to survive, you just have to value your life over the lives of the others.

 

Hayato: Wait a second Raiko…

 

Raiko: {Grimace} But no, you just decided to flee in order to protect the others… that’s a sign of weakness.

 

Hayato: I… I…

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} *Sigh* I guess people won’t change… well, I tried.

 

Rako: Checkmate.

 

...

 

Hayato: Damn it, I lost again.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} That you did, failure is all you will get by fleeing in a game like this one. May that serve as lesson hehehe.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Maybe you should learn a thing or two from a game of chess Hayato…

 

This… whole speech she gave, it was all a metaphor for the killing game wasn’t it? Sacrificing other lives for yours, that definitely fits in with her character

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} I think that’s enough of a life lesson for one day, don’t hesitate to come see me again next time you want to learn.

 

Confused, I put the chess pieces back in their boxes and said bye to Raiko… she definitely gives me the creeps even more than before. There is definitely something twisted about this girl.

 

I guess I understand Raiko a bit better.

 

{Raiko’s report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

I got up and fetched Fusume who was napping on one of the game room couches… so much for checking on Tadao.

 

We left the game room and headed to the restaurant to grab some lunch.

 

 

Fusume was glad to see that most pairs arrived together, the only exception being Yoko and Kenji, neither of whom came at all.

 

We ate quietly and after about half an hour, I was getting ready to leave when Fusume grabbed my arm as if to tell me to sit back down.

 

Fusume: Wait… wait until everybody has gone, I need to talk to you about something.

 

Hayato: What about.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Just wait.

 

Hayato: You’re stressing me out, what’s this about.

 

Fusume: {Whisper} If I could tell you, I would not wait until everybody left. Just be quiet and wait.

 

Hayato: Oh… okay.

 

And so we waited… it took another fifteen minutes or so until all the other groups had left the restaurant, leaving Fusume and I alone.

 

Hayato: Alright, it’s just you and me now, what did you want to tell me.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Remember the file that I was reading yesterday?

 

I do… she was acting all secretive about that file.

 

{Flashback}

 

There’s an open file on the desk, it reads “Hope’s Peak 80th class” . That sounds oddly familiar… I should-

Gah… the moment I started thinking about it, my head started hurting real bad. As if I was trying to access something off limits in my brain.

I need to read this file. There’s gotta be something important in there.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Stop.

 

Hayato: Aghh…

 

Fusume: {Grabs file} This is not any of your business… please refrain from touching this file.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

I wonder what it was she didn’t want me to see.

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} I have finished reading the files late last night and… I came across some unsettling things.

 

Hayato: If I remember correctly, you said that a criminal could have been hiding in our ranks… Is that what you’re talking about?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Just… follow me please. You will understand my worries in due time.

 

Hayato: Okay then, let’s get going.

 

Off to the archives… I can’t say I’m not worried about what the file might tell me but… I have to be strong, I need to know everything about a potential threat…

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

Alright then, just gotta cross this whole grass patch and I’ll be at the yellow building in no t-

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Stop!

 

She firmly grabbed my arm.

 

Hayato: Fusume, what’s wrong?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Are you out of your mind? It is 1:37 PM

 

Hayato: And so what?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And so if you set foot on the grass you’re gonna get killed.

 

Hayato: Ohhh… I had completely forgotten about that stupid rule.

 

Fusume: You should be more cautious Hayato… It would be foolish to die such a meaningless death.

 

Hayato: Okay, then… I’ll be careful.

 

We took the pathway and started walking towards the yellow building, carefully treading our steps to avoid the grass.

 

Fusume: Hayato, please look up… this is peculiar.

 

Look up… what does she mean.

 

 

I shifted my head upwards and…

 

{Camera shows Hayato and Fusume protecting their eyes from blinding light coming from the top of the glass dome}

 

Hayato: My eyes… where the hell is this light coming from?

 

Fusume: I could not tell you… I myself have trouble seeing what is up there

 

Hayato: The light just completely blocks everything else from view…

 

Fusume: Hm… because of this luminosity, anything in altitude is a blind spot to us.

 

Hayato: But… where is it coming from seriously?

 

Monokuma: I’d be glad to answer that question upupu!

 

{Back to normal}

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} Bear…

 

Hayato: You’re here again.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Your favorite director is here to answer your questions about this… strong source of light, to say the least.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Is this another one of your tricks?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show light side} No actually, this is really not up to me either… it’s a technical thing you see.

 

Hayato: A technical thing?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Yup, to resume it, this glass dome is pretty useful to keep you bastards from escaping right?

 

Hayato: Get to the point.

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Well, it ain’t only got pros… there is one con with the dome…

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Which is?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Well, at around 14:00 ish for about half an hour every day, when the sun is perfectly above the center of the dome…

 

Monokuma: The glass refracts the light in a way that projects it really intensely towards the inside of the dome.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hm… I see.

 

Hayato: And uh… in short what does that mean?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} It means that at around this time every day you won’t see shit if you look up cuz of the sunlight…

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Not much that I can do about it… it really shouldn’t change much for y’all… except if somebody’s planning to use the blind spot for a murder of course!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’ve made your point, leave now.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} You guys don’t appreciate me enough… whatever, cya later! Don’t look up too much, it’s bad for your eyes to look directly at the sun.

 

Hayato: Thanks for the advice.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Bye bye now. {Leaves}

 

 

Fusume: {Confident} We should keep this detail in mind Hayato… it should not be of too much importance but we have to be cautious.

 

Hayato: Yeah, of course… I won’t forget about it.

 

This blind spot is pretty important… it means that we are completely oblivious to anything that happens above ground for an hour… of course, nobody will commit murder so it’s okay but…

 

Fusume’s right, you can’t be too careful.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Let us go now Hayato, we need to get to the archives, I do not want to keep him waiting any longer.

 

Hayato: Him? Who are you talking about?

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} You talk too much, just be quiet and follow me.

 

Okay then… to the archives I guess.

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 1st Floor}

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 2nd Floor}

 

{Move to Archives} 

 

???: Mmph, you have taken your time… I thought that we were supposed to meet at 13:30.

 

Fusume: {Respectful bow} My apologies Reijiro, we were held up by Monokuma on the way here.

 

Reijiro: {Arms crossed} I see… no matter that, I propose we get to business.

 

Fusume: {Content} Agreed

 

So it is Reijiro that we’re meeting… makes sense. Fusume said that him and I are the two people she trusted here.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} May I ask what {Points to Hayato} he is doing here? I assumed it would just be the two of us.

 

Fusume: I asked for Hayato to come with… he deserves to know the truth as much as we do.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Fair enough. Let’s get to it.

 

Reijiro doesn’t want me here… well tough shit, I want to know what the hell is in that file.

 

Fusume: Okay… I brought both of you here because…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Somebody here is not who they say they are…

 

Hayato: Wh… Whaat?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Continue…  

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} This file is about the 80th class of Hope’s Peak Academy…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} That is us is it not?

 

Fusume: Right, this is why the file is so worrying.

 

Hayato: Wait a second how can you know for sure that we’re part of that class?

 

Fusume: {Confident} The file starts with a student list.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Well, I say student list… it is not much.

 

Hayato: What do you mean?

 

Fusume: See for yourself.

 

She handed Reijiro and I the file, we flipped it open to the first page and saw…

 

{Camera shows a sheet of paper with a list of names with heading “80th Class”, however, all the names but the first four have been blacked out, the readable names are : Hayato Seiki, Reijiro Yamane, Fusume Ebisawa and Fukami Ota}

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} This… this is…

 

Hayato: Why can’t we see the rest of the names??

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I found the file this way, somebody has made sure that we could not check the entire list…

 

Hayato: But why would someone do that…?

 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Surely it is because… one of us is not on this list.

 

N-no way! One of the people here is not meant to be in our class?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I have come to the same conclusion… there is no other reason for this list to be incomplete.

 

Fusume: {Confident} There is an intruder among us… someone who is not a member of the 80th class.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Could this intruder be… the mastermind behind all of this?

 

Hayato: The… mastermind?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Is it not obvious…? Somebody has to be masterminding this killing game.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} The mastermind is also the one controlling Monokuma… that thing is not moving by itself, that is for sure.

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} It has to be  somebody with the means of kidnapping 16 ultimate students and emptying an entire summer resort.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} There might be an organisation leading this… I cannot imagine one person individually being able to pull this killing game off…

 

Hayato: And you think that this mastermind of yours… is one of us?

 

Reijiro: I can only speculate as things stands currently… but it would seem practical as a mean to supervise that the killing game goes as planned…

 

The killing game’s mastermind… is one of us? There’s no way I can accept that…

 

Hayato: I can’t believe it… none of us are capable of being the mastermind!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} As I have stated, this is only speculation, the only thing that we know for sure is that someone made sure we could not read most of the names on this list.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Actually, that is not all we know…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Is that so? Then what else is there for us to discover tell me.

 

Fusume: The list figures on the very first page of the file, the next pages feature statistics and background information on every single one of us.

 

Hayato: That’s… creepy as hell! Can I see what it says about me?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Be quiet! you are not the focus point right now!

 

Hayato: Ah… my bad.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Hold on, information about every one of us? Could it be that…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I know what you are thinking… sadly, the page on Tadao has also been blacked out, His talent has not been revealed.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, how very disappointing.

 

Hayato: So whoever doesn’t want us to know who’s on the list… doesn’t want us to know Tadao’s talent either?

 

Fusume: Correct.

 

Hayato: Could it be Tadao himself who did it?

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} That seems unlikely to me… the boy genuinely does not know his own talent, he has no reason to hide it from us…

 

Fusume: {Confident} What’s more likely is that someone else does not want him to know what his talent is.

 

Reijiro: The mastermind… would rather his talent stay unknown to all of us, I wonder what would bring someone to do such a thing as to black out his entire profile.

 

Why would anybody do that? This is all very confusing.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} So, apart from all the fascinating information about all of us, is there anything else of importance in the file?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Yes… the thing is that…  there are 17 profiles…

 

Hayato: 17? But there’s only 16 of us!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Who… who is the last profile about?

 

Fusume: This is what worries me most…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Please, look for yourself…

 

We flipped through the pages of the file, one for each of us, resuming information about how we acquire our talent and some miscellaneous information about us… I didn’t stop to check what is says about me… but I should probably do it when I have time later.

 

We got to the final page and we saw…

 

{A page of the file is seen, in the center of it a picture of a silhouette with a question mark covering it. The heading reads : Caspian, “The Caped Kidnapper to replace a student of class 80!”}

 

 

The caped kidnapper?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Ngh… this cannot be…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You now see my worries.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} This… has got to be some kind of joke.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Seeing how accurate the rest of this file has been, that seems unlikely to me.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} This… I did not expect this…

 

…  

 

Hayato: Um, sorry if this is a dumb question but… who is this Caspian guy?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… you must be joking, have you seriously never heard of the caped kidnapper?

 

Hayato: Um… no?

 

{Scene shifts to a rainy night, A masked figure is holding a shady looking guy by the collar as police sirens can be heard in the background}

 

Fusume: He calls himself Caspian but the media have renamed him the caped kidnapper.

 

Fusume: He claims to be on the side of justice, only kidnapping mob bosses and unlawful people in order to bring them to justice or to blackmail their organisations.

 

Reijiro: However, he and the police have never been very friendly with each other… the Japanese government claims that he is nothing more than another egocentric criminal who wants the public opinion to be on his side.

 

{The figure looks up, only his mouth can be seen under his mask, he grins widely before vanishing in the night}

 

Fusume: Nobody knows of his identity… we do not even know if it is a he, he could be a she for all we know.

 

Reijiro: Caspian was never caught by the police and despite his… apparent good intentions, he is a very dangerous person.

 

Hayato: And you’re saying that this guy… Is here with us??

 

{Back to normal}

 

Fusume: {Confident} If we are to believe this file then yes… it appears that Caspian is hiding among us.

 

Hayato: There’s no way, none of us here are the vengeful crusader type seriously!

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} It is true that it impossible to be completely sure of it… but we have to be cautious… this is could be a danger to the entire group.

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} This is why I believe that we must not communicate of this with the rest of the group… not until we are sure of this information.

 

Hayato: It could be another one of these Monokuma pranks couldn’t it…?

 

Reijiro: Could be… still, there is no rush to tell the others of our discovery. I agree, let’s keep this quiet until we identify the veracity of this file.

 

Hayato: Okay, I’ll keep it on the down low.

 

We can’t rush to conclusions, this could very well be a Monokuma tactic to scare us… still, if that guy was to exist and actually be in school, that would be all kinds of bad.

 

Hayato: Is there no like, physical description about this guy? Something we could use to identify him?

 

Reijiro: There have accounts here and there of people who claimed to have identified him… however, none of those can be really trusted.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Everyone wants to have seen him for the media attention, these accounts are not reliable source.

 

Hayato: So we have nothing to go off?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Essentially, no… we will have to investigate without any real evidence to start off with.

 

How the hell are we supposed to to that? Without any outside help either? This seems basically impossible.

 

Fusume: {Confident} It will not be easy but, we have to do our best and find out if Caspian is really among the group.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Then we can inform everyone of our discoveries, until then, none of this can leave the room…

 

Caspian… is that person really one of us?

 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} I believe we have spent enough time discussion this, if we stay any longer, we might draw suspicion…

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} I agree, you should go back to Rina, we do not want to disrupt the buddy system any longer than we need to.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} That girl is a headache to say the least… but I will go, the safety of the group goes before my personal enjoyment.

 

Fusume: {Content} Good.

 

Wow… that’s really generous for Reijiro… I never imagined he could become so devoted to the group.

 

I can imagine that being blamed for Kyia and Fukami’s deaths contributed to his desire to help. Good. We need someone as smart as him…

 

Fusume: {Confident} I will take this file with me to my room to make sure that nobody else has access to it.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It is crucial to avoid that somebody like Raiko does get involved with this, who knows what she would do with this knowledge.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Very well, I trust you to keep this information safe.

 

Fusume: {Blushes} I will not disappoint you Reijiro…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Farewell to you both. {Leaves}

 

 

Is Fusume… a little fond of Reijiro? She looks particularly flustered when he compliments her…

 

On second thought, I’m not going to teaser her again. For my own safety…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Okay, I am going to head back to my room to make sure this file is well hidden from anyone else. You should go to your room too.

 

With Monokuma’s new lock system… our rooms are the safest place to be that’s for sure.

 

Fusume: {Content} Just go and relax, I need to take some time off so, just come and get me when you want to go back out…

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} But first, I need a little break.

 

Hayato: Ok… I’ll knock at your door when I’m ready to head out

 

Fusume: {Smiling} Perfect… I will see you then.

 

We walked back to our respective rooms.

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s Room}

 

I’ll wait some time… Fusume needs to rest. I’ll go fetch her to go and look around some more a bit later

 

 

 

 

I can’t stay here indefinitely… I should do something whilst the sun is still out.

 

{Free time starts} 

 

{Move to Room Hallway}

 

{Knock on Fusume’s door}

 

Fusume: {Smiling} Hello again, Hayato. I’ve had my chance to take a small nap. Want to head out now?

 

Should I spend time with Fusume?

 

{Yes/No}

 

Fusume: {Content} Great! The irrigation time is over, I propose we go sit in the grass and relax for a little while.

 

Hayato: Sounds good!

 

 

Fusume took a couple of towels from her room before we went and laid down in the grass. We didn’t talk much at all but it was definitely calming to stay in silence with her like that.

 

I think we grew a little closer.

 

Hayato: I’m happy we’re spending time together Fusume, this is nice.

 

Fusume: {Dozing off} …

 

Hayato: Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Dozing off} zzzzzz…

 

Is she asleep? I swear she was awake a couple of minutes ago!

 

Hayato: Um… Fusume, are you asleep?

 

Fusume: zzzz…!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You woke me up.

 

Hayato: A-ah… sorry.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Does not matter… I will get some sleep later.

 

Hayato: Yeah, you can get a good night’s sleep tonight. You’ll be more comfortable on a bed than standing up straight like that.

 

Fusume: {Playing with shuriken} What? Sleeping… at night?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} But night time is when we are the most vulnerable.

 

Hayato: Well, not necessarily, now that we have these super safe locks in our rooms, we are pretty safe at night.

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} Still. I need to stand guard… and make sure that we are all safe!

 

Fusume: There should always be at least one person on guard duty every night!

 

 

Hayato: Wait a second, are you saying that you’ve been in guard duty every single night since we got here?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Pretty much. Nobody else is up to the task so I have to do it myself.

 

That’s… that’s insane!

 

Hayato: Fusume, this isn’t healthy for you. You need to sleep at night!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Only fools sleep during night time. Someone like me with experience knows that you have to be vigilant once the sun is down

 

Fusume: That is why I have taken the role of guard at night and sat in the room hallway to make sure that nobody behaves in a suspicious manner!

 

Wait but…

 

Hayato: Fusume, that logic might make sense in wilderness but here, we are the safest after the night time announcement!

 

Hayato: As long as you don’t open your door to anyone, nobody can get into your room! However, by staying in the hallway you’re exposing yourself to being attacked!

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} You are mistaken, if someone was to come out of their room I would see them and have the upper hand in case of an assault.

 

Is that true…? Is she really safe from an attack by staying in front of the rooms… But what if

    1. The attacker was faster than Fusume?
    2. Fusume fell asleep?
    3. The attacker came from someplace other than their room?

 

 

Hayato: What if someone didn’t actually go in their room when the rest of us did… if they were waiting outside to catch you off guard then you wouldn’t see them coming.

 

Hayato: Fusume! You’re putting your life in danger!

 

Fusume: {Shocked, hand over chest} Is… is that so?

 

Hayato: I know you want to keep the group safe but don’t forget that you’re also a part of the group! You need to be safe as well!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} But… but… I have to keep everyone out of trouble… I can’t let things repeat themselves…

 

Things repeat themselves?

 

Hayato: What are you talking about Fusume, what happened to you in your past?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I… do not feel like talking about it.

 

Hayato: Okay, I get it… but you should know that you can tell me anything! That’s what it means to be friends right?

 

Fusume: Friends… I see.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I simply cannot let anyone get hurt, I will fight so that we all get out of this place safe and sound.

 

She’s back to confident… I think she’s putting on a bit of a brave face, deep down she’s scared, just like all of us… not only that but there’s something in her past that she cannot accept. Hopefully she’ll open up to me some time soon.

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} If guarding outside the rooms is not the best idea then… I’ll figure out another way to do it. I won’t back down from my pledge.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I said that I would keep everybody safe and I will do just that.

 

I just wonder why she is so obsessed about the group’s safety… that responsibility should not lay on her shoulders alone.

 

Fusume: I… I won’t… let anything come in my… my… {Dozing off} zzzzzzz…

 

And she’s asleep again… I shouldn’t wake her up this time. She needs this time to rest.

 

 

Fusume slept for about an hour, I just stayed next to her and watched the sky for a while. She is so preoccupied with everybody’s safety… It was nice to be the one looking over her for once.

 

I think that I understand Fusume a bit better.

 

{Fusume’s report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

When she finally woke up, I walked her back to her room before heading back to mine to get ready for dinner.

 

 

 

 

It’s almost dinner time, the day flew by… I got to know some people here a bit better and learnt that there might be a renowned criminal among our ranks. Pretty normal day for this place’s standards.

 

At the same time… we still haven’t found a way out of the resort. There has to be one, somewhere, there has to! I’ll… I’ll have to look some more tomorrow.

 

No matter all that, I should just head to dinner and see if anybody has any updates on the situation.

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{A monitor in the hallway turns on, Monokuma can be seen in his usual jacuzzi}

 

Monokuma: It’s been two full days you bastards!

 

Monokuma: I bust my ass to provide you with brand new opportunities for murder and even come up with a cool new motive and yet none of y’all have decided to kill yet.

 

Monokuma: Well, so be it! You’ve all got five minutes to head to the reception desk. We’ve got some talking to do.

 

Monokuma: You know the drill, don’t be late!

 

{Monitor turns off} 

 

God dammit… what now? I guess I have no choice but to do as he asks and see what the hell Monokuma wants now…

 

{Auto-move to Aula}

 

{All 14 students are here}

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Everybody’s here… what the fuck are we waiting for now?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} You see Monokuma around? He called us here, we can’t really start without him being there can we?

 

Kenji: Tch… I’m tired of waiting.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Everybody here is tired… be quiet and it’ll be over sooner.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You’re still in a shit mood huh?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} She’s been like this… all day man.

 

Hikari: {Snarls with angry expression} Are you complaining?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-no, no of course not.

 

Hikari: Good.

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} It be obvious who be wearin’ the pants in that duo.

 

Hikari’s… still not her usual self. I need to stop procrastinating and just go ahead and talk to her… Now’s not the right time though, I’ll do it tomorrow…

 

Something feels ironic in what I’ve just said.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I am pleased to see that everybody stuck to the pairing system.  

 

Raiko: {Giggles} It wasn’t easy hehehe, Tadao kept running away from me for some reason!

 

Tadao: {Sombre} …

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} Nobody asked for your input bitch.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Aw, but it seemed to me like Fusume was addressing the group as a whole don’t you think?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Just shut up.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Um…

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} What about the other partnerships? Any problems?

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} Uh… Yoshi and I had a g-g-great day together! I think…

 

Yoshi: {Poses} Twas fantasmabulous, Music Box! There ain’t gonna be no complaints from us two.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} There were no issues for Jessie and I either!

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up}  Rien à signaler! We didn’t do much but it went by fine!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Well, I have a problem actually, my partner won’t talk to me.

 

Yoko: {Angry} I said that as long as you kept your mouth shut, we wouldn’t have any trouble.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I’m going to have a fun time with you aren't I?

 

Yoko: {Tearing up} I want… my Shinto, not this guy.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Well, you’re stuck with me, so why don’t you stop whining and accept it.

 

Yoko: {Angry} …

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} I…

 

As expected, Yoko and Kenji is still as conflictual a pairing as we could have imagined.

 

Fusume: What about you, Reijiro and Rina?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Spending time with her was… bearable.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Yeah, it was fine, I’m not gonna moan.

 

These two look… oddly okay with being partners. That’s surprising.

 

Fusume: {Content} I’m glad to hear that for the most part it’s going okay… I think that-

 

Monokuma: {Appears} Thanks for bear-ing with me! Monokuma’s here!

 

Yoshi: {Poses} HAHAHA, bear jokes!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You’ve arrived.

 

Monokuma: {Happy} I have indeed! Ready to make my daily despair-inducing announcement!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Why don’t you just hurry up and get it over with.

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} Okay then, as usual, y’all don’t know the first thing about respecting your elders.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Elder? You’re not even human.

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} So what! Bears have extensive lifespans! I’m old enough to be your father.

 

Reijiro: {Flips through book pages} That is a lie, bears usually do not live longer than 20.

 

Yoshi: {Proud} We be 17 years of age, so either you younger than us, or you close to dying.

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Damn, you’ve caught me out…

 

Rina: {Yawns} Can we just get to the important stuff?!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Okay okay… I’ll tell y’all what I’m here to say. Make it short and sweet for you guys.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Hurry up already.

 

Monokuma: {Sad} I’m disappointed in you bastards to be fair. I purposefully told you that I didn’t want this to be boring and introduced the motive early.

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} But not one of you has even started planning a murder!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Have we not made it clear enough? Nobody here is going to kill anyone!

 

Monokuma: {Sad} But… but… you guys were already arguing and threatening each other and all that. You can’t just blue ball me with friendship like that!

 

Oriana: {Scared} Kyaah! Bears have b-balls?

 

Yoko: {Pull on choker} Of course they have balls how else do you think they reproduce?

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} Oh… okay.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Are you all fucking retarded? He’s a teddy bear, he isn’t going to have balls is he? What kinda kid wants to…

 

Monokuma: {Angry} I’m no teddy bear! I’m a real bear I tell you!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaah! He’s a real bear!?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Everybody shut up. I want Monokuma to go through with this stupid announcement.

 

Fusume: I second that, get it over with.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Yeah, c’mon you said short and sweet man!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} I mean you guys are the ones constantly interrupting me but you know…

 

Monokuma: Anyway, I’ve come to the understanding that my first motive was not good enough for you bastards.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Damn straight!

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} Your dumbass motive just encourages us to protect each other!

 

Shinto: {Bends down, finger pointing} There is not way that we’d kill simply over being paired up like this.

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Huh, you think that way?

 

Hayato: Your motive has simply made us re-establish our way of living around here… it definitely doesn’t make us want to kill each other.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} It’s kind of a shit motive, sorry to tell you that mate.

 

Monokuma: I see… well, if that’s the case, {Red eye glowing} Let me introduce you to an additional motive!

 

Oriana: {Cries} A-additional…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Motive???

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} That’s right! You bastards really thought I’d expect the first motive to be enough for you? I knew it’d take more to convince you!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} That’s why the motive I revealed to you… is only the first half of this motive!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, if you wanted to avoid getting bored, then why did you not give us the full motive to start with.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Because of how much more despair-inducing it is this way!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} What…?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} You should see the look on your faces right now. You bastards thought that you had bested me!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} You even thought that you were going to survive as a group! Of course that won’t happen upupu! You’re all going to die, until only two of you are left!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ggh… no…

 

Monokuma: I even told you that I had more surprises coming…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: Secondly… let’s just say that some additional perks of committing a murder will be announced when the time is right.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} What? You’re not telling us everything right now?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Nope, you’re just gonna have to trust me that it is very advantageous to kill under this new motive.

 

Monokuma: That’s all you’re getting tonight.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show black side} And yet, you still thought you were going to walk away easily from this.

 

He… he played us completely.

 

Monokuma: Now without further ado, here’s the next part of your motive…

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Whoever decides to commit a murder and gets away with it at the class trial will be able to graduate…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} With their partner.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} What… what did you just say?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Two people can graduate now?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Yup that’s right, you can now graduate with your partner! Isn’t that just so much more practical?

 

Reijiro: This… this… this is bad.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} hehe! How intriguing… this makes it quite a bit more interesting really…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} No… this means that…

 

Jessie: Entschuldigung! I’m not sure that I understand what’s so wrong with this motive.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} The update to the motive means that it is now almost encouraged to have an accomplice in committing a murder.

 

Oriana: {Cries} An a-a-accomplice?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} During the last murder, we understood that Fukami couldn’t have worked with an accomplice cuz that accomplice had no chance of survival…

 

Hayato: But now, if one was to work with their partner to commit a murder, both of them could escape together…

 

Raiko: {Giggles} And therefore, it is encouraged to work with someone else.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} upupupu, that’s exactly it! It makes it so much easier to commit a murder when you have an accomplice!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} Gahhh… no… no way!

 

Yoko: Our safety…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} It’s been threatened again!

 

Monokuma: Isn’t this motive simply brilliant? I’m not actually threatening you with anything, I’m just giving you an opportunity to get out of this place easily!

 

Monokuma: {Curious} I mean, you could already do that by committing a murder but yes, there is a chance that you fail at the class trial and end up dying like Fukami did.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Ngh… Fukami…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} But now that you can have an accomplice, your possibilities  of murder increase exponentially! So many different ways of doing it!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Awawawa. This ain’t soundin’ too good…  

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ggh… your motive does not change anything…

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Of course it does! You thought you were all smart with your stupid buddy system…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} But now, every second you leave two people by themselves is precious murder-planning time.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} N… No… Gh..

 

Fusume: {Covering face with hands} NOOOOOOOOO!

 

Reijiro: {Step back distraught} You… you… devil.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Upupupupupu! I can just feel you guys’ despair and it’s so refreshing!

 

He’s… completely ruined our partnership system…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} See how I’ve instored the seed of doubt into all of you! Who can you trust anymore? Anybody can be lying to protect their partners upupupu!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Isn’t this just a beautiful sight to behold?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} …

 

Rina: {Scared} …

 

Kenji: {Furious} …

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Look at you guys, nobody knows what to say huh? That’s cuz you’ve all realised that you can’t trust these people anymore!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Looks like my work is done here! Pretty proud of this one. Y’all better start getting with your partner and thinking of how you’re going to commit murder!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} It’s first come first serve! Only two of you will have the chance of getting out of here alive!

 

No… it can’t be.

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} That better be enough for you to kill! Don’t force me to add yet another motive!

 

Hayato: Another motive?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Hopefully, it won’t come to that. You have enough to work with for now.

 

He’s got more planned… in case this isn’t enough for us to commit a murder… I don’t know how much more the group can take.

 

Kenji: {Furious} You fucking bastard!

 

Monokuma: {Happy} That’s the type of reaction I like!

 

Kenji: {Rips shirt} I’m going to fucking skin you alive!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Really? Guess I better get away.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Happy killing to all of you! {Disappears}

 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Dammit! He’s gone.

 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} I…

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} …

 

Oriana: {Cries} I’m s-s-scared…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Why… why does it have to be so bad…

 

Everybody’s in a messy state… How are we supposed to trust each other now that we know that any partnership could work together to kill someone… This whole pairing motive… is wicked.

 

 

We waited in silence for a minute or so before somebody spoke up.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} This is indeed worrying but there is no point in getting too worked up about it right now.

 

Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Everybody is tired, we can discuss this in the morning.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Huh, maybe it’s better this way, you’re right.

 

Oriana: {Cries} I just w-w-want to sleep…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Sleeping is the wisest thing we can do. We will think better tomorrow after a good night’s rest.

 

Rina: It’s probably for the best.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} It’s late, the night time announcement will play pretty soon… we better all go back to our rooms.

 

Hayato: Our rooms… as long as we have our Resident IDs with us, nobody can hurt us in our rooms.

 

Reijiro: Precisely. So off you go, {Condescending look} If you all want to be safe, then get to your room and do not even think of coming out before morning.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I don’t like your tone but… you’re right. We’ll be safer in our rooms.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Yoko… you coming?

 

Yoko: {Shocked} What?

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with a playful smile} C’mon partner. I said I was going to make sure you were safe didn’t I? I’ll walk you to your room.

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} You…

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Okay… let’s go. Good night everyone. {Leaves}

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Peace out. {Leaves} 

 

Reijiro: You should all do the same. Sleeping is the safest option at the moment.

 

Jessie: {Happy} Okidoki! Sweet dreams leute !

 

 

People started gradually leaving until four of us remained in the aula.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … {Cold stare} Reijiro.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes?

 

Hikari: {Sad} You’re… maybe you’re not as bad as I thought.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Why… thank you.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Continue like this and you’ll earn my respect again. {Leaves}

 

What about me? Dammit, why can’t she stop being mad at me as well?!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} …

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Are you okay… Fusume?

 

He… he said her name??? But he never adresses anybody by their names?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I… I…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It is all going to be okay…

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} I’m fine Reijiro.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Oh…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m fine… {Leaves} 

 

Reijiro: {Flips book pages, sweating} That was an unexpected reaction… how bizarre.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You, go to your room! Now.

 

He’s talking to me?

 

Hayato: Yes… yes… I’ll go right now sorry!

 

I shouldn’t let him boss me like that but… right now’s probably not the best time for him either. Plus, he’s only doing it for my own safety.

 

I’d better get back to my room, then.

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room}

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a bright pink pyjama, holding some a teacup in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Attention to all residents, it is 10PM and night time is now in action, as you know some areas will be off limit until the morning. Go to bed and fall in a deep deep slumber. Who knows what great murder opportunities tomorrow holds upupupu!

 

{The tv screen cuts off}

 

And here’s the night time announcement. This bear is fucking annoying.

 

I thought today was going pretty okay. The pairings were going relatively okay, Fusume and Reijiro seem to trust me… the atmosphere was in itself quite a bit better than usual. All the conflictual people had calmed down. Even Hikari is starting to forgive Reijiro.

 

But this new motive… it makes this entire feeling of safety crumble… I managed to figure out Fukami’s plan at the last trial. But if there was to be a murder, having an accomplice makes it all so much more complex. The blackened could now create false alibis and lie to protect their partner.

 

There is no way out of this other than blindly trusting the group… but can I really do that?

 

Can I really trust everyone here? Am I willing to let things play out while the safety of the group is threatened?

 

Trying to put these burning questions aside, I eventually managed to fall asleep.  

 

Monokuma Theater

 

Monokuma: I don’t know if you’ve ever realised but people start treating you differently once you get to know them.

 

Monokuma: Take me for example, when the students first arrived they referred to me as “it”.

 

Monokuma: And now, without noticing I’ve become a “he”, and that’s mostly because we’re maintaining a good and healthy relationship.

 

Monokuma: You see, relationships are important, if people don’t care about you, then what’s the point of talking to them?

 

Monokuma: The students don’t realise it yet, but they’re starting to grow attached to me, that’s why they went from talking to me like an object to actually respecting me.

 

Monokuma: Blooming relationships are crucial in everybody’s life. People neglect their relationships too often and then what happens? They die alone.

 

Monokuma: Be nice to people, talk to everyone, make friends. That’s how you live a good and happy life.

 

Monokuma: And seriously, isn’t is so much easier to kill someone who thinks they can trust you?

 

Monokuma: Good intentions my friends, that’s what matters!

Notes:

What does this additional motive mean for the students? Next chapter will contain two more free time slots and should come out as soon as possible. As usual you can vote for free time events here : https://www.strawpoll.me/17361578 or in the comments. I might be repeating myself but if you've read until here definitely leave a comment with your impressions, it is really motivating and would mean a lot to me.

Thanks for reading and see you in the next one :)

Chapter 18: Chapter 2 : A Gentle Melody for a Lost Soul : Daily Life part 3

Notes:

I'm doing my best to hang on to a bi-weekly chapter release! It's been working out okay so far, I hope I can continue with this good rythm.

Free times go to Jessie and Rina this time around.

Enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a Jacuzzi, holding some sort of cocktail glass in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Gooood Morning! This is your director speaking, it’s now 8:00 AM! Look out the window, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. A perfect weather to kill wouldn’t you say?

Get ready for a spectacular day everyone!

 

Surprisingly enough, I actually slept quite well last night. I guess I managed to forget some of the worries of yesterday… still, this whole accomplice thing is really stressing everyone out.

  I don’t wanna get out of bed… can’t be bothered with dealing with this motive bullcrap.

 

 

 

 

Ugh, I’m going to get shanked if I’m late again. I should go to the restaurant and catch up with everybody.

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Talk to Rina} 

 

Hayato: Hi, Rina. Slept well?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} What do you-

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} I mean, yeah I slept alright.

 

What was that just then?

 

Rina: {Poking cheek, playful} How about you?

 

Hayato: Wait, you care about how I slept?

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} Yeah, that’s why I’m asking you.

 

That is very much out of character for her…

 

Hayato: Well, I guess I slept pretty well for once.

 

Rina: {Poking cheek, playful} Good.

 

Hayato: Who are you and what have you done with Rina?

 

Rina: {Yawns} Don’t be a pain alright? I’m just trying to be less bitchy with everyone… don’t make me regret it.

 

Hayato: Damn, that’s surprisingly sweet… I’m happy that you’re trying!

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Alright, don’t patronize me… me being nice doesn’t change the fact that we’re not equal.

 

Hayato: Wait what?

 

Rina: {Paints nails} I’m still a star… and you’re still part of the pleb. I’m just trying to bring myself down to your level, just to feel what it’s like to not be amazing.

 

That’s more like it.

 

Hayato: Okay well… thanks for trying to understand the pleb?

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} It’s a huge sacrifice I’m making… you should be thankful.

 

Hayato: Right.

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor}

 

{Move to Restaurant}

 

{Scene opens up to show the cafeteria with the whole group but Raiko present}

 

Hayato: Good morning.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Hey Hayato!

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up}  God morgen to you too!

 

Fusume: {Smiling} Good, you’ve decided to join us today.

 

Hayato: Hey… I’m not that late am I?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You should consider waking up before the morning announcement… perhaps you would be on time then.

 

Hayato: S-sorry.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} It’s fine bro! Don’t worry about it.

 

 

This doesn’t seem right. Everybody’s in too good of a mood compared to last night, did I miss something or?

 

Hayato: What is everybody so happy about?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} This positivity is tiring me out seriously…

 

Fusume: {Confident} I am sorry but I started my announcements before you arrived Hayato.

 

Yoko: It would help if you weren’t late all the time.

 

Hayato: Hey! We never actually agreed on what time we’d be meeting.

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} And yet you manage to arrive after everyone else every morning.

 

Hayato: Ah…

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Anyway, what we talked about might explain the good mood of the group.

 

Hayato: Oh okay… and uh, what did you talk about?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} We’ve decided to forget about this second motive.

 

Hayato: What???

 

Forget about it? Why would we forget about it?

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} We’ve just decided to trust each other and keep the buddy system going!

 

Hayato: But we said that it would give pairs the opportunity to plan a murder… what made everybody change their mind?

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} Ain’t it much better to be trustin’ and hopeful broccoli boy?

 

Shinto: {Bends over, finger pointing} Yeah! I’d rather trust everyone and continue on with our pairing system, that way we can all protect each other like we said we would!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} It’s definitely the best thing we can do right now…

 

Did they all get brainwashed and forget last night’s announcement or what?

 

{Flashback}

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Of course it does! You thought you were all smart with your stupid buddy system…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} But now, every second you leave two people by themselves is precious murder-planning time.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} N… No… Gh..

 

Fusume: {Covering face with hands} NOOOOOOOOO!

 

Reijiro: {Step back distraught} You… you… devil.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Upupupupupu! I can just feel you guys’ despair and it’s so refreshing!

 

{Ends flashback}

 

Their behaviour makes no logical sense…

 

Hayato: Guys wait a second-

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato.

 

Hayato: Ah.. y-yes?

 

Fusume: {Softly} Trust me please… you’ll understand.

 

Hayato: Okay…

 

She wants me to trust her… there’s clearly something that I’m not getting here. I hope she’ll explain everything to me later.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} … I think I get it now…

 

Fusume: {Shocked} You do?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I believe so… we can discuss it later.

 

Hm, judging by his reaction, there is quite clearly more than meets the eye.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Hey, what are y’all whispering about?

 

Fusume: {Smiling} It’s nothing Kenji… don’t worry about it!

 

Kenji: Okay then…

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} I’m happy that we can trust each other again… I won’t lie, Monokuma’s announcements kinda scared me.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Me t-too. I want to believe in uh… e-everyone!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Well, there is nothing to worry about anymore. As long as we trust each other and the partnership system continues, we are not risking anything!  

 

Even she doesn’t look convinced by what she’s saying.

 

Yoshi: {Poses} Yay, positivity!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} We’re all safe you say…?

 

Shinto: I’m all for believing in each other… I hope we can do that!

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Yeah… right.

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Alright! Fuck Monokuma’s motive!

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} Do you all wanna pipe down with the happiness a little bit?

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} You don’t want us to be happy? The fuck’s wrong with you?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Nope it’s not that, just would rather if you were a bit more quiet about it, you’re too much for me.

 

Rina: {Mimes fainting} It evens smells sickly sweet in here, that’s probably because of your overreacting.

 

I’m not sure that’s how things work.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Actually she is right, there is quite a strong scent here… I can smell it too.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} That’s just me… I think I p-put on too much p-perfume this morning…

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Let’s see… *sniff* *sniff* {Thumbs up} Yup, it definitely comes from Oriana-chan!

 

Rina: {Pokes cheek, playful} You wear perfume now? That’s news to me.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Hey Oriana, you tryna impress someone?

 

Oriana: {Cries} N-no!! It’s nothing l-like that… I just like this s-scent!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah sure.

 

Oriana: Please b-believe me!

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Well then, there’s no real problem with her wearing perfume is there?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Just wear less of it next time.

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} Y-yes… I’ll be uh c-careful next time!

 

 

Kenji: Anything else to say Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Content} No that’s it, you’ve heard everything. Now feel free to do what you want with your day.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Just stay with your partner, alright?

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Will do!

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Ngh…

 

Shinto: {Looks at the floor} I…

 

Yoshi: Let’s go Music Box!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Y-yes Yoshi, wait for me…

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} Yo, Reijiro, wanna take any longer to follow me?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I am not your dog… I will take as long as I feel necessary.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Just shut up and come with me.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} See ya later everyone.

 

 

Everybody gradually left with their partners leaving Hikari, Fusume and I in the restaurant.

 

Hikari: Fusume.

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Yes?

 

Hikari: I am not sure what you are trying to do but… {Cold stare} I see right through your mind games.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ah… what do you mean?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} You can lie to them all you want, but just know that I will not fall for it like the others have.

 

Fusume: Okay…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hikari, you coming? I thought that you were right behind me!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Here I come Kôzuke!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Okay… I’ll wait outside. {Leaves}

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Just keep it in mind Fusume…

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} I just hope that you know what you’re doing. {Leaves}

 

What was that…?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I wish it was easier…

 

Now that its Fusume and me, I should ask her what her explanations were all about.

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Hayato: Fusume… wanna tell me why you told the others that they were safe? This seems way too naive to be coming from you…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I had no other choice!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} No other choice but to lie to everyone…

 

Hayato: Lie? What do you mean?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} I spent all of last night thinking of how we could deal with this new motive… the two motives completely oppose each other.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The first half encourages the partners to stay together while the second means we should keep the partners away from each other.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} There is just no way out!

 

I can understand that, with this new motive, if a pair is left by themselves they could start plotting… It does seem pretty complicated to find a way out of this vicious cycle.

 

Fusume: So I lied.

 

Hayato: What did you tell them exactly?

 

Fusume: I tried to calculate exactly what the best option to keep the group safe was and… I just couldn’t find it, so I thought the next be thing I could do was make them trust each other.

 

Fusume: {Confident} That way, nobody would actually have a reason to kill!  

 

Hayato: Elaborate please…

 

Fusume: I maintain what I said last time, Monokuma is making it very easy for us to kill but he has not given us a real motive to kill.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The only reason one would have would be to escape, but that’s not any different than usual.

 

Hayato: Hm, you’re right, no one has a real reason to commit murder, other than the already existing reason of course…

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} This is why I did what I did, by getting everyone to trust each other and getting the general mood up, I am decreasing the likelihood of a murder happening.

 

Huh… so that’s why.

 

Hayato: I see… but aren't you worried that you’re simply making false promises?

 

Hayato: You told them that they were safe but really… they’re not, in fact they might let their guard down now that they have the illusion of safety!

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} I have envisioned this possibility, but there is nothing that we can do.

 

Fusume: You and I have to stay vigilant and make sure that nobody plans a murder!


Fusume: {Confident} Trust me Hayato, this is the only solution.

 

Is lying really the solution? If there was a real risk I’d much rather know about it to start with rather than be deceived like that and brought to a false sense of security…

But at the same time… when I look into Fusume’s eyes, I can tell that she’s being honest with me… she really believes that this is the best way out of this vicious circle…

 

So I’ll trust her.

 

Hayato: Okay Fusume. I trust you with this. If you think this is the best thing we can do then… I’ll stick to it.

 

Fusume: {Smiling} Thank you Hayato, it means a lot to me.

 

 

Hayato: So… what do we do now?  

 

Fusume: {Confident} You and I just staying here won’t be of much use. As I said, we have to be certain that nobody is even thinking of murder as a solution.

 

Fusume: {Content} That’s why we must go check on the different members of the group. This is what our day should be like.

 

Hayato: Okay so, you basically want to spend time with people to make sure they’re doing fine.

 

Fusume: Essentially, yes.

 

Hayato: That sounds doable enough to me. Anyone in particular you would like to see?

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} No, I have no preference, because you’re kindly following my plan, I’ll let you decide.

 

Hayato: I can decide? Okay then…

 

Hayato: Who do I want to spend time with today?

 

{Free time starts} 

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Pool} 

 

{Jessie and Kenji are both here}

 

{Talk to Jessie}

 

Jessie: {Waving} Heya Hayato-kun! Have you come to talk to little old me? How ਖੁੱਲ੍ਹੇ ਦਿਲ of you!

 

Should I spend time with Jessie

 

{Yes/No}

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Sounds groussen! Let’s enjoy this beautiful weather together yes?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Very well, I shall go talk to Kenji… report back to me when you are finished.

 

 

I spent the morning with Jessie at the poolside, she splashed around in the pool for hours without ever getting tired while I looked on from one of the sun chairs. She continuously talked to me about various things without really letting me participate in the conversation. She definitely is a ball of energy.

 

I think we grew a little closer…

 

Jessie: {Searches through backpack} Do you mind if I ask you a pregunta Hayato-kun?

 

Hayato: Of course, shoot.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Do you think I’m bad at Japanese?

 

Hayato: What? No, obviously not! It’s hard to notice that it’s not your mother tongue!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Are you totally sure?

 

Hayato: Yes, yes don’t worry… why do you think that anyways?

 

Jessie: {Strokes chin} Είναι περίπλοκο… I feel like you can only speak so many languages before being overwhelmed and not reaching a good level…

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} So I’m scared that my level in Japanese is not up to the standards I’d want to reach.

 

Hayato: Your Japanese is great Jessie, trust me, nobody here would guess that you’re American from just hearing you speak!

 

Jessie: {Dreamy eyes} Aw, you really think that? Això és molt dolç de vosaltres!

 

Jessie: {Embarrassed} Sorry, that meant that you’re being sweet.

 

Oh okay…

 

Jessie: I have this thing where whenever I can’t think of a word in a language I just switch to another language, tu comprends?

 

Jessie: {Strokes chin} The problem is that I know so many languages and dialects that sometimes I just burst out with random languages that nobody but me knows…

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} In a context like this, I guess it means that whenever I speak something other than Japanese you don’t understand me…  It must be annoying.

 

She really has low self-esteem huh… I need to make her realize that it’s really not a problem that she speaks many different languages.

 

Hayato: No! Jessie, it’s not annoying at all! I quite like hearing you speaking! I find it very interesting.

 

Jessie: {Dreamy eyes} Really?

Hayato: I mean sure, most of the times I’m not quite sure what you mean…

 

Hayato: But it’s fine! Thanks to you I’m hearing dialects I’d never even imagine hearing. My entire life it’s just been Japanese, without you I’d be stuck in this little cultural bubble.

 

Hayato: So thank you Jessie! Thanks for opening the world to me!

 

Jessie: {Sad} …

 

Did I do too much?

 

Jessie: {Tearing up} আমার ঈশ্বর! Hayato-kun that’s one of the nicest things anybody’s ever said to me!

 

Hayato: I’m glad to hear that, it’s the truth. I like hearing you speak. I think we all do.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} All of us?

 

Hayato: I won’t speak for them, but trust me it’s really enjoyable!

 

Jessie: {Dreamy eyes} Thank you for your kind words Hayato-kun, tu es trop gentil!

 

Gentil… that’s French! In fact I think it’ll impress her if I show her that I know what it means…

 

 

  1. Kind
  2. Smart
  3. Handsome

 

Hayato: Gentil… that’s French for kind right?

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Wowzies, colour me impressed Hayato-kun! You have a better vocabulary than I thought!

 

Guess who’s glad he took a semester of French in first year… That was one of the three words I remember from that borefest.

 

Jessie: {Dreamy eyes} French is such a beautiful language… and France such a beautiful country.

 

Hayato: Yeah, I remember you telling me that you wanted to live in France.

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up}  Ich mag es wirklich … in fact you know what?

 

Hayato: Tell me.

 

Jessie: {Enthusiastically} Next time you and I hang out, I’ll teach you some French!

 

Really…? I mean I don’t want to say no but…

 

Jessie: {Pouting} You’re not allowed to decline! Promise me you’ll do it!

 

Hayato: Well…

 

Jessie: Promise me!!!

 

Hayato: Ok, fine… you can give me a French lesson next time around.

 

Jessie: {Happy} Yay! Can’t wait!

 

Hayato: But you have to promise me you’ll be more confident with your language skills.

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} It’s a deal!

 

Jessie: {Strokes chin} Now let’s get back in the pool, I’m almost completely dry!

 

Hayato: I’ll stay here if that’s okay.

 

Jessie: Non sciunt quid tibi defuit! Your loss Hayato-kun.

 

Hayato: Have fun.

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} I will! Thanks for hanging with me!

 

I watched her get back in the pool and layed back down on my sun chair… the sun is shining brightly and the sky is perfectly blue. The weather really is perfect in this place. I am glad I got to have this talk with Jessie, hopefully she’ll feel less self-conscious about the way she speaks.

 

I definitely understand Jessie better.

 

{Jessie’s report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

A few minutes later, I said bye to Jessie, got up and went back to Fusume who was done talking to Kenji.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Everything seems clear with the people we spent the morning with. That is good news for us. We must continue checking on people.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} For now, I would like to go back to my room a little while, you should do the same. We can head for lunch in a moment.

 

Hayato: Sounds good.

 

 

And so we went back to our respective rooms until about 12:30, the hour at which we normally get lunch.

 

When the time came, I fetched Fusume and we both went to the restaurant to grab something to eat.

 

{Auto-move to Restaurant}

 

{Scene opens with the entire group present}

 

Hayato: Huh, everybody’s here at once? What a coincidence.

 

Reijiro: {Looks down with glasses shining} It is no coincidence that we are all here…

 

Hayato: What?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} S-she brought us all here…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} She?

 

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Look who decided to show up! Without me even having to get you to come. How marvelous!

 

What the hell is she up to now?

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} So, Raiko is the one who brought you all here?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah, she told us that she had something important to talk to us about concerning the group’s safety.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} She insisted so much that we all had to join eventually.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Ugh, I was in the middle of something, what a pain.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Hehehe, trust me, you won’t be disappointed with what I have to say.

 

Hayato: What do you want Raiko? Just tell us already.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Very well, I have made quite a…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Troubling discovery.

 

Hikari: (Shocked with hand over mouth} Troubling?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-what is it?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You see, I woke up this morning to find a newspaper article in front of my door.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} A newspaper article?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Yeah, and its contents worry me, not going to lie.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What is this newspaper of yours about?

 

Raiko: I’ll tell you… have you guys ever heard of…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Caspian?

 

Fusume: {Covering face with hands} …

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Ngh!

 

What the hell? Does she know about Caspian being here with us…? Dammit that’s exactly what we wanted to avoid. This is not good.

 

Rina: {Bites nail} You mean like, that caped kidnapper guy?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyah! Kidnappers are scary!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Is it possible not to have heard of that guy? The story’s been all over the news ya know…

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} They be… just a criminal…

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Even Yoshi knows of him… that should be proof of how famous the guy is…

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} We all know of Caspian, Raiko, where are you getting at with this?

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Because I’m such a nice girl, I’ll be honest with you.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I think that Caspian is one of us.

 

 

Oh no…

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} WHAAAAAT?



Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} The caped kidnapper is here with us?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} It’s not possible…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Yeah, there’s absolutely no way!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You sure ‘bout that Raiko? If you’re right, then it’d be a problem… the guy is dangerous…

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I mean, no, I can’t be sure, but you need to understand that everything happens for a reason in this resort.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Every move is calculated… hence, there is no reason for this article to be here if Caspian wasn’t related to us in a way.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} So he could n-not be one of u-us… right?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} It’s very unlikely…

 

Shinto: {Bends over, finger pointing} But you can’t deny that there is a possibility that the article is just a coincidence.

 

Raiko: Not quite.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} What?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} I am convinced that Caspian is hiding among us… I can just feel it.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} …

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} And why the hell should we just believe whatever you’re saying?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Y-yeah man, that’s right! Where’s your proof?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} You don’t have to believe me. I just wanted to have everyone present when I say this.

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Caspian, I know you’re here… and whoever you are, I’ll unmask you and expose you for the trash you really are.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Wow, that’s not very nice.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} That’s basically all I had to say… {Evil smile} Best stay cautious everyone… there’s a dangerous criminal hiding among us.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Ngh… why would you…

 

Raiko: I’ll leave the article on the table so you can read exactly what the caped kidnapper as been up to recently.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} It’s not pretty, trust me…

 

This is not good… at all.

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Enjoy your freedom while it lasts Caspian… when I find out who you are…

 

Raiko: {Giggles} I’ll kill you.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You wouldn’t!

 

Oriana: {Cries} No! We s-said nobody else was d-d-dying!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} You better hope I don’t uncover your true identity too soon.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} And to the twelve of you who are really who you claim you are, you’re safe, I’ll take care of the situation-

 

Raiko: {Hysterically} Kyeheheheheh! {Leaves} 

 

This… this has to be the worst case scenario… we wanted to keep this from the group and now she’s just brought it out like that! I hope the others aren’t too-

 

Oriana: {Cries} KYAAAAAAH!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} She’ll k-k-kill…

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} scortum! I thought we said the killing would stop!

 

Nevermind then. The others are definitely shocked by all this.

 

Rina: {Scared} I can’t die here… all my fans are waiting for me to come back on screen…

 

Reijiro: {Head down, glasses shining} Hey, before you proceed to panic, I propose we take a look to the article.

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} That sounds reasonable.

 

And so, Reijiro firmly took the article in his hands and starting reading it before turning pale.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} This… this is…

 

Kenji: What is it?? What does it say?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Only one way to find out.

 

Hikari stood up and leaned on Reijiro’s shoulder, glancing at the article, soon enough we all piled up behind them to try to get a peak at the newspaper.

 

 

That’s when I saw it .

 

{Close up on the article, the headline reads: “The Caped Kidnapper wanted for murder!”, a picture of a dark silhouette is shown on a wanted poster}

 

Wanted for murder? What the hell? I thought this guy only kidnapped people…

 

{The article reads : “If you doubted whether the Caped Kidnapper was a criminal or not, this should be proof enough, Caspian’s mission to kidnap Tetsuji Kuzuryu ended with the death of his personal secretary Kanna Muratagi”}

 

What is this…?

 

Hikari: Flip the page Reijiro, there’s probably more on the next page.

 

Reijiro: …

 

Kôzuke: Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: Ah… sorry.

 

He flipped to the page and we saw…

 

{The next page features a large picture of a dead blond woman crumbled on the floor, her throat having been slit}

 

Oriana: Kyaaah! A dead body?

 

Yoko: That’s… Kanna Mutaragi?

 

{The article reads: “The poor girl was in the wrong place at the wrong time and when she confronted Caspian, he killed her without hesitation. Kuzuryu testifies. The suspect is on the run from the police. If you witness any sight regarding the criminal, contact the authorities immediately“}

 

Oh my god…

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} So that’s the article that Raiko found huh… I see.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hey Hikari, did you write this?

 

Hikari: {Shocked} Me? No, of course not! Why do you ask.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Isn’t it obvious? You’re the Ultimate Journalist after all…

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Oh uh… yeah well no. I didn’t write this.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} In fact, I have no memory of this ever happening?

 

Hayato: What?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notepad} Caspian was all over the news… and I am aware of what’s on the news, trust me. Therefore, I should have at least heard of this news story… {Distressed} So why can’t I remember?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} In fact, I do not recall reading about this…

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Now that you mention it… neither do I!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Wait, does anybody here actually remember hearing about this whole thing?

 

 

We all remained silent.

 

Hikari: {Sad} But… that makes no sense…  

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} Is there not a date on this thing? Do we even know when this was printed?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I can’t s-s-see any d-date…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Indeed, the date of release seems to be missing from the article.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Hey, that’s gotta be suspicious right?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I’ve got it! This shit’s fake!!!

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Fake?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} That’s right this is just another one of Monokuma’s lies! Caspian was never part of any murder-thing! Or else we’d remember it-

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} What if this came from the year of memories which Monokuma stole from us?

 

Jessie: {Surprised} Tadao-kun?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Since when do you speak?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} You’re all denying the inevitable…while the answer is obvious to me.

 

Tadao: {Frowns} We have no recollection of this happening because it happened during the year that we forgot about.

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} I didn’t want to have to think about that no more.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Samesies… erased that from my brain as soon as Monokuma talked about it.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Sad} Aw, you really don’t remember anything do you… Oh wait! I know why you don’t remember.

 

Oriana: W-why?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Well, because I’ve erased all your memories of Hope’s Peak of course!

 

Hayato: WHAT?

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} My memories… no, no that is not possible.

 

Kenji: {Furious} You stupid fucking bear! What the fuck did you do!!?

 

Yoko: He didn’t really take our memories… I won’t believe it.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Monokuma, you’re lying! There’s just no way that’s true!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Believe whatever you want… What do I care, I’m not the one who’s forgotten over a year’s worth of memories.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught could it be… could it really be that we forgot…

 

Jessie: I still don’t wanna believe it…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Raiko was right in saying what she said.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} What???

 

Fusume: {Confident} Everything that Monokuma has told us so far was for a reason… the bear’s always got a goal in mind…

 

Shinto: That… that sounds kinda true actually… If you think about it.

 

Fusume: That’s why… {Dark look} If he says that he took our memories… then most likely he did.

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyahh! I d-don’t want to believe that!

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Naive little child… we cannot turn a blind eye to the truth.

 

Fusume: {Confident} That also means that if Monokuma made this article available to us… it was done for a reason!

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} But… what could it mean?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Hold on a second! What if that bitch Raiko made that article in order to trick us into believing that something was up!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hm… it does sound like something she would do.

 

Yoko: {Blank expression} You see a printer anywhere around here big guy?

 

Kenji: {Sweating} Well uh… no but…

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Then I’m certain of it… it was impossible for Raiko to have produced that article.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} It also means that I couldn’t have made it either… for anyone suspecting me.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} But you are the journalist here…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Still… I don’t have any means of producing such an article…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} None of us do… the only one with the necessary resources is Monokuma… obviously.

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} So da bear be the one capable of doin’ this…

 

Hayato: And if we believe what Raiko and Fusume said about the way in which Monokuma operated then…

 

There’s only one conclusion we can pull from this…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Is… is Caspian here with us?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} That’s what Raiko was claiming but… can we really be sure?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} She didn’t prove actually prove it… and this article doesn’t prove shit either! It could all be bluff!

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} But Kenji, you can’t deny that it would be weird for Monokuma to randomly come up with this article about a news story completely unrelated from us no?

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} It would make more sense for him to show us this as a way to warn us that Caspian was one of us!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Fine, I guess it is a possibility. I’m still not convinced though…

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Even if it’s just a possibility, it’s still enough for us to be worried!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} …

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

It’s only a possibility for them… but with what Reijiro, Fusume and I found yesterday…

 

{Flashback}

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Who… who is the last profile about?

 

Fusume: This is what worries me most…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Please, look for yourself…

 

We flipped through the pages of the file, one for each of us, resuming information about how we acquire our talent and some miscellaneous information about us… I didn’t stop to check what is says about me… but I should probably do it when I have time later.

 

We got to the final page and we saw…

 

{A page of the file is seen, in the center of it a picture of a silhouette with a question mark covering it. The heading reads : Caspian, “The Caped Kidnapper to replace a student of class 80!”}

 

 

The caped kidnapper?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Ngh… this cannot be…

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

The files in the archive room warned us that Caspian was one of us… we didn’t want to believe it but I don’t think there is any room for doubt any more…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I believe it is safe to assume that one of us is Caspian yes but… {Glare} We cannot allow ourselves to be brash.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I agree! We might feel the need to be suspicious of one another I understand but…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That is exactly what Monokuma wants!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Yeah man! I don’t want to give in to Monokuma!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} M-me neither!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} So if we’re not to be brash… what the fuck do you expect us to do? Just sit around while a dangerous criminal just walks freely?

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} That guy… the Yosh’ ain’t able to look past his crimes…

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} It might not be easy but…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I have to ask you all to try to live your lives normally as if nothing happened.

 

Kenji: {Furious} As if nothing fucking happened? The guy’s a murderer Reijiro! Have you forgot about that?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Murderer!!!?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I’m all for trusting one another buthow do we know that we aren’t in danger?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Aren’t we always in danger?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} I mean more than usual.

 

Hikari: {Passionate expression} The caped kidnapper is a killer! And if it’s one of us then… nothing tells us that he won’t kill to escape this place!

 

It’s pretty rational to expect that… everyone here is offered freedom against murder… so someone who’s already killed before would obviously be more likely to kill someone.

 

Kenji: {Furious} How can you guarantee that we’ll all be safe Reijiro huh? How do you know that Caspian isn’t waiting for the opportunity to slit our throats like he did to that secretary?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} I… I…

 

Hikari: {Softly} Can you do it Reijiro? I… I want to trust you but… can you actually vouch for our safety?

 

So she did forgive him huh… I think the Hikari I know is slowly coming back from under all the anger she’s had recently.

 

Reijiro: I…

 

Kenji: {Furious} CAN YOU?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s enough.

 

Kenji: {Surprised} Huh?

 

Fusume: Leave him alone. Reijiro and I are doing our best to keep you all safe but the truth is…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} We cannot take action against Caspian until we know for a certainty who he is…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} So until then you want us to just wait around for him to kill us…

 

Fusume: That’s not what I’m-

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Tch, pathetic… I won’t stay still while the knife is on my neck.

 

Kenji: {Furious} I told you already, I won’t get too comfortable when danger is always right along the way.

 

Hayato: Kenji, don’t-

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I’m out this one… let’s go Yoko.

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} I… uh…

 

Yoko: {Determined} Fine, I’m coming.

 

They both left…

 

Shinto: {Sad} Ggh…

 

 

Everybody’s mood is in shambles once again isn’t it, and to think that the day started out so well.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I know it’s not easy but I beg of you… do not attempt to do anything about Caspian… a rushed decision is a bad decision…

 

Fusume: Please do your best in acting like this whole conversation never happened…

 

Hikari: {Sad} It’s… it’s impossible to forget…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m… I’m profoundly sorry.

 

 

On that bitter note, we all went back to our rooms… Our hearts full of worries concerning this criminal among our ranks…

 

First, the file and then the article… there’s not doubt in my mind, Caspian is one of us… the question is who could it be?

 

 

This is a question I definitely won’t get the answer to by staying in my room by myself. There’s still plenty of time today. I should get Fusume to come with me and do something with my day.

 

{Free time starts} 

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 1st Floor}

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 2nd Floor}

 

{Move to Arts and Craft Room}

 

{Reijiro and Rina are in the room} 

 

{Talk to Rina}

 

Rina: {Paints nail} What do you want? If it’s for an autograph, I hope you brought your own pen, I don’t have all day.

 

Do I really want to spend time with Rina?

 

{Yes/No}

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} Fine, you can stay with me… just don’t be a pain…  Whatever we do, this should be an honour for you. Got it?

 

Fusume: {Confident} If you want to spend some time with Rina, I’ll go see what Reijiro is up to.

 

 

I spent the afternoon listening to Rina gloating how perfect she was in every sense of the word… I guess it was pretty entertaining to see how clueless she is when it comes to social interactions. I guess nobody ever told her that you should try to be humble. Perks of being a celebrity huh?

 

I think we got a bit closer.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} I see the way you’re looking at me y’know…

 

Hayato: Oh… what do you mean?

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} You’re thinking “wow, this girl is egotistical, we’ve spent hours together and all she’s done is talk about herself…”

 

Hayato: Hey, I’m not thinking that!

 

I am thinking that…

 

Rina: {Yawns} Don’t lie to me… I can tell always tell when someone’s not telling the truth.

 

Hayato: You can? How so?

 

Rina: {Poking cheek, playful} It’s because… I’m such a good liar myself!

 

Hayato: And you’re proud of that?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Duh… either way, isn’t acting basically lying?

 

What?

 

Rina: {Bites nail} You think I’m crazy but think about it yeah? Acting is just pretending to be someone you’re not…

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} Now, I don’t really know what your definition is but that sounds like lying to me.

 

Hayato: Wait but it’s not the same thing! When you’re acting it’s not in an attempt to deceive someone right? An actor’s goal should be to entertain!

 

Rina: Well, not all actors are born equal… I can’t say that I know everybody’s motivations for acting!

 

Hayato: Then how about you? Why do you act?

 

Rina: {Confused} That’s not… an easy question… I don’t actually remember my life before acting, it’s kinda been a part of it since the beginning.

 

Hayato: Hm okay…

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} But y’know… I’m being honest about the whole lying thing… you shouldn’t trust actors… It’s a messy business.

 

Hayato: So are you saying that I shouldn’t trust you?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Ugh, of course not! I’m different from the rest of the actors!

 

Hayato: You are?

 

Rina: {Poking cheek, playful} Why of course, I’m the Ultimate Actress! These two words aren’t just meaningless, they symbolise how superior I am to the rest of the actors!

 

Oh boy, here she goes again…

 

Rina: {Puts on lipstick, looks at pocket mirror} I’m not an actress… I’m the actress… That’s the difference.

 

Hayato: I’m sorry but realistically, what does that actually change? How are you different from the other actors?

 

Rina: {Bites nail} Huh, simple… I’d like to think that I’m not lying when I act.

 

Hayato: But you said that acting and lying were one and the same…

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Ugh, not for me… I don’t pretend to be someone… I really become that person!

 

She becomes the person huh… I’ve heard about that acting technique, it’s called :

 

    1. Imitation acting
    2. Copy acting
    3. Method acting

 

 

Hayato: When you actually become your character that’s called method acting right

 

Rina: {Sips coffee}  Hm… I’ll give you that one, you know a lot of stuff…

 

Rina: {Poking cheek, playful} You’re right, I use the “method”!

 

Rina: {Bites nail}  that’s how I became so good at acting, just pretending isn’t good enough, you gotta feel what the character feels… that’s the only way towards greatness.

 

I see… she is really exigent with herself that’s for sure…

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} That’s why I don’t lie… if I cry on screen it’s cuz I’m genuinely crying… I never fake emotions.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Never.

 

Hayato: O-okay…

 

Rina: {Poking cheek, playful} That’s what differentiates me from the rest! The rest of the industry are just liars and crooks…

 

Hayato: I… I see.

 

Rina: {Bites nail} If you’re lucky, maybe I’ll give you a little demonstration of how good I am.

 

Hayato: Oh, yeah that’d be nice… I’d definitely like to see you act one day.

 

You eventually have to backup all that bragging…

 

Rina: {Yawns} Next time though… I’ve already entertained enough of your questioning.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} If I stay any longer with a commoner like you… I might lose some of my popularity with the fans.

 

Hayato: I don’t think your fans would know… considering they’re not here and all that…

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} What you on about… everybody’s a fan of me… even you idiots… even that bear.

 

Rina: {Poking cheek, playful} Nobody’s safe from Rina’s Ishido’s charm!

 

Hayato: Okay then… I guess I’ll see you later.

 

Rina: {Yawns} You can only hope you’ll have the chance to spend time with me again!

 

Hayato: We live in the same place Rina, I’ll definitely see you again.

 

Rina: {Confused} …

 

Rina: {Annoyed} You really have to take the fun out of everything don’t you?

 

She’s really full of herself… can’t say I’m surprised…

 

 

We both went our separate ways. Spending time with her definitely proved to me that she is as pretentious as I thought but at the same time… I’ve learnt how exigent she is with herself and how passionate she is about her craft.

 

I understand Rina a bit better now.

 

{Rina’s report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

I decided to go back to my room to rest until dinner time.

 

 

Today has been quite restless… between Fusume’s tactics to keep everyone calm and Raiko’s announcements about Caspian…

It’s definitely too much for one day, even in a place like this.

 

I’m happy to finally have an chilled out evening where I can eat peacefully and not have to think about that stupid bear and his stupid motives-

 

{Suddenly the monitor in Hayato’s room turns on, Monokuma can be seen in his usual jacuzzi}

 

Monokuma: Listen up you bastards, I’m not mad, I’m just disappointed…

 

Monokuma: Actually screw that I am mad! You know the drill, hurry the F up and come up to the reception desk.

 

Monokuma: I won’t be lenient to any late comers so don’t snooze with this one!

 

{The monitor turns off}

 

I spoke too soon didn’t I? I don’t even want to start imagining what Monokuma has to say to us… not after he introduced motives the past two evenings.

 

I want to hope that tonight will be different but… I’m not going to be delusional… whatever he has to say, it’s probably going to be bad for us.

 

I should go… there’s no use in speculating any longer.

 

{Auto-move to Aula}

 

{All 14 students are here}

 

 

Judging by the look on everyone’s face… the rest of the group shares my worries about Monokuma’s announcement…

 

Just what will he do to us this time?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Is that bear still not here?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Indeed, it appears that he has not arrived just yet…

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Why does he make us hurry like that and then make us wait… what a fucking douchebag.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Somebody’s in a bad mood… is it that time of the month?

 

Rina: {Exasperated} Shut up you, don’t @ me yeah? I lost my favorite ring and I’m in a shit mood cuz of it. So don’t piss me off.

 

Fusume: Your favorite ring huh?

 

Rina: {Bites nail} Yeah, it was my grandma’s… I can’t find it since this morning… If anybody finds it, please bring it back to me.

 

Kôzuke: Sure thing…

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Seriously though, I… I… I don’t want t-to have to s-s-sit through another one of these motives… The l-last ones were uh… bad enough!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I mean, we don’t know that he’s gonna give us a new motive… it could just be something else… right?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Seeing that the last couple of times he brought us all together was to unveil a motive… it seems unlikely to me that he called us for something other than a motive.  

 

Yeah… just like I thought, it’d be foolish to think we’re here for something other than a motive.

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyah!

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} We’ll be fine, I’m sure… we made it through two motives already and nobody has been tempted to kill, what can one more do?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Hehehe, how naive of you to think that!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Ggh, naive?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} One motive is enough for somebody to be pushed over the edge…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Trust me.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Just… just shut up, we don’t need you to come here and stir shit up like you always do.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} I see, I’ll play nice then.

 

Play nice… does she ever play nice?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Actually, now that I have the opportunity, you have all read the article about Caspian by now right?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Yeah, we have…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} And? Have I convinced you yet?

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Convinced us of?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Well that this piece of trash is one of us!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyah! Piece of t-trash?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You really don’t like this Caspian guy do you Raiko?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I despise him… once I figure out who he is…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Enough!

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Wait, I was just getting to the good part!

 

Hayato: Stop it Raiko!

 

Monokuma: {Appears} Yeah quit that!

 

Hayato: AHH!

 

Damn, he startled me.

 

Yoko: And there he is…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Speak your piece bear… make it brief.

 

Monokuma: {Sad} You guys get less and less enthusiastic about my appearances huh… I gotta make it more dramatic next time.

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Just hurry up man! I wanna go to bed soon.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Yeah! You always make us wait ages before you tell us shit so just hurry the fuck up.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Y-yes, please d-don’t make this longer than it uh… has t-to be!

 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Very well, due to popular demand I shall make my announcement short and sweet.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} You say that literally every time and then still take years to get through your motives.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Hm, change your record old fart!

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} Old fart??

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} The Yosh’ thought we concludin’ that the bear couldn’t be older than us?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Does any of this really matter?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I mean, at the end of the day, it’s all subjective isn’t it…

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} You see, all this takes a long time cuz y’all keep on interrupting me…

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Fair enough, everybody please be quiet while the bear is speaking.

 

We nodded and waited in silence for Monokuma to speak.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Thank you Fusume… now, as y’all have probably concluded… {Blank expression} I’m pissed off.

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyah!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Shut up!

 

Oriana: KYAAAH! S-sorry.

 

Monokuma: I was okay with you not killing after the first motive, you were still shocked and shit… {Menacing} But it’s been two perfectly good motives and y’all haven’t done crap!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show black side} Not one of you has even started planning a murder! D’you know how angry that makes me?

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} How do you know nobody’s planning it?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} I have eyes and ears everywhere on this resort Rina, if someone was even thinking of murdering someone. I’d be the first to know.

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} I gave you perfect opportunities, and I gave you a way to graduate with a friend, doubling your chance of survival from 1/14 to 1/7.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m not quite sure that the numbers check out.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Either way, we already told you! Nobody here is ever gonna murder ever again!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} That’s hella right, we swore on that shit.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} So you don’t think you’re going to crack huh?

 

Fusume: We definitely won’t!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Fine then, guess I underestimated your resistance didn’t I? It’s time to pull out the big guns on this one.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} The b-big guns?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’re going to give us yet another motive?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Exactly, but this one is different! And it goes pretty well with the previous ones.

 

It’s true that the last two motives were clearly made to work with one another, I wonder what it is he’s gonna pull off this time…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Just say it! What is it?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} It’s pretty simple, I’ve attributed partners to each of you, now it’s time to give each of you something else.

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Something else.

 

Monokuma: Your third motive is… {Red eye glowing} I’ll give each one of you an individualized weapon to work with! How exciting!

 

Hayato: A weapon?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} W-whaaa?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} That’s right upupu! You’re all getting your own weapon!

 

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} Um, excuse me but how is this a motive?

 

Monokuma: {Confused} What now?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’re providing weapons okay… but this does not incentivize us to kill in any way does it?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Well… wait a second I’m not done.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Continue on then.

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Very well, ahem… {Red eye glowing} There’s a special rule concerning your weapons you see!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} And that rule is?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Simple, you’re only allowed to use your weapon to kill.


Monokuma: {Menacing} If you commit a murder and the weapon in your hand isn’t the one I’ve assigned to you… you bet your ass you’ll be punished!

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} That was… an odd way to word that.

 

Oriana: Y-yeah…

 

 

 

Wait but…

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Why is nobody saying anything huh? Is it… the despair that’s already so strong that it paralyses you or what?

 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} So… I think I speak for everyone when I say this motive is kinda shit bro.

 

Monokuma: {Angry} How dare you! I put my blood sweat and tears in my motives… Don’t you start disrespecting my work!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I don’t get how this is supposed to push us to murder man…

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I mean… the last two motives were actually pretty good in pressuring us and making us distrust each other but here…

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Just what game are you playing bear?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I agree, it seems unlike you to supply such a terrible motive… is there more to it than this?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} More to it?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} As a matter of fact there is one more aspect of the motive that I haven’t revealed just yet but… I’d rather do that once I’m done announcing the weapons.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Ugh, there’s more?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I knew it… it couldn’t be that simple.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Well… continue! Tell us about the weapons.

 

Monokuma: Of course, if you just wait one second…

 

Suddenly, Monokuma pulled out a whistle from… god knows where and blew in it. Next thing we know…

 

{A massive trolley filled with weapons of all kinds falls out of the ceiling and almost flattens Hayato}

 

Hayato: AHHHHHH!

 

Monokuma: Damn, someone’s lucky, I was kinda hoping one of you would get crushed by my Trolley of Despair©

 

Jessie: I thought you weren’t supposed to interfere in the killing…

 

Monokuma: Hey now, that would only have been an honest accident, that’s not me interfering!

 

Fusume: Are you okay Hayato?

Hayato: I… I… I’m fine…

 

That… was… terrifying.

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} My apologies Hayato, that was definitely an accident!

 

Shinto: {Leans on cane} It really doesn’t sound genuine when you say it like that you know…

 

Monokuma: Okay, now that the Trolley is here, be quiet, I’m going to call out your names one by one and give you your weapon.

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} So we all get a different weapon then?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Exactly! These have been attributed randomly, of course! We don’t want any form of bias do we…?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Just get on with it and give them out.

 

Monokuma: OKidoki. In no particular order…

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Raiko Itake, you get this beautiful golf club, perfect for bludgeoning an inattentive victim.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} A golf club? That’s not a weapon is it?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Why don’t you let me hit you with it Kôzuke and we’ll see how much of a weapon it is.

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} Eep! I’ll… I’ll be quiet man!

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} I’ll take this… Thank you Monokuma.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Don’t you even start to think that you’re going to use this…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} I guess only time will tell… hehehe.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Next, Tadao Yamateko… you have been attributed this 15kg dumbbell, how exciting!

 

Tadao: {Sombre} I see…

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Attendez! How is someone as feeble as Tadao-kun going to use such a heavy object?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} That’s not my problem is it? Now, here you go Tadao!

 

He walked up to Tadao and handed him the dumbell, as expected Tadao dropped it almost immediately to the floor.

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaah! Are y-you okay?

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} I’m fine…

 

It can’t be a coincidence that the weakest guy here got such a heavy weapon… There has to be some form of logic to this attribution of weapons. I don’t believe for a second that it was random.

 

Monokuma: Moving on, Yoko Kurisu… you get this sumptuous Rapier from the 17th century… a collector’s item I’m sure!

 

Yoko: {Confused} The hell’s a rapier?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Y’know it’s the type of sword they use for fencing, only the tip is pointy the rest is dull…

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Educate yourself!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} It’s kind of a lame weapon isn’t it…?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} They can’t all be winners okay?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} I won’t use it anyways so who cares?

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Kenji Kimata, you have been attributed a machete, how convenient, it fits your talent perfectly.

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Alright! Machetes are sick, thanks bro! Can’t complain about that one!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Kenji…

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I mean… fuck you dude, I ain’t using your stupid weapon… still, it’s a cool one.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Glad you like it, your satisfaction is my number one priority.

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Let’s continue, Oriana Akiba, my little Oriana… you’ve got poison, in this cute little pink vial.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Kyahhh… p-p-poison?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Isn’t it a lot better for you? That way you don’t actually have to physically attack anybody…

 

Monokuma: Seems quite convenient for you and your… frail body.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} A small dose of this stuff would knock anyone out for a good while but go for a larger dose and you’re sure to kill whomever you want.

 

Oriana: {Cries} Ggh… n-no… I’d never… I’d n-n-never…

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Why don’t you text me when you get to the end of that sentence yeah? Oh actually don’t, I don’t care about what you’ve got to say upupu.

 

Jessie: {Upset} Hey, don’t be mean to Oriana-chan!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Moving on, Yoshi Akeno, your weapon is a hammer… guess I really hit the nail on the head with this one!

 

Yoshi: {Laughs} HAHA, clever pun bear… very clever. 

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Thank you, thank you… I do try my best.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Do not encourage him Yoshi… you’ll only boost his already oversized ego.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Awawawa… my bad.

 

Monokuma: That’s almost half of you done, next Reijiro Yamane… good old Reijiro.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Do not patronize me or make some witty joke about my weapon… just get on with it.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Fine, you get this baseball bat… maybe you could try exercising a little ya lanky fuck!

 

Reijiro: {Unnerved} I told you not to!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Why can I do, I’m just so witty.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Hurry up, I’m guessing it’s me next so move your ass.

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Well spotted Rina, your allocated weapon is a letter opener… you use it to… open letters.

 

Rina: {Exasperated} I know what a letter opener’s for, thank you.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Then again, the title’s kind of a clue…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Just making sure, who knows how educated you teens are…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye shining} Either way, don’t hesitate use this letter opener to open fan mail or to… you know, slit somebody’s throat.

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Thanks, I’ll keep it in mind.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Y-you will?

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} It’s called sarcasm dipshit.

 

Kôzuke: Ah… okay.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Talking about dipshit, let’s move on to Kôzuke Shigetaka himself…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Hey, don’t call me that!

 

Monokuma: Your allocated weapon is this thick sturdy rope… perfect for strangulation.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Or… as your friend Fukami showed us a couple days ago… you can get as creative as you want with a rope upupupu!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Don’t… use her name in vain like that.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Oops, I forgot she was a saint to you guys. Did ya forget that she killed someone or what?

 

Hikari: Ngh… {Distressed} Just continue please…

 

Monokuma: Since you asked so politely, Hikari Hisano, your weapon is a taser! It might seem inoffensive but this little gem packs a punch!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Ngh… O-okay…

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Four of you to go, Shinto Masada, is possibly the most special of all.

 

Monokuma: {Happy} It’s a bust, in my effigy no less, how cool is that? You get to bludgeon someone to death using the face of yours truly!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Gross…

 

Monokuma: Jessie Shadow, you get to use a regular kitchen knife… sharp enough to take a life of course.

 

Jessie: {Upset} это ужасно, you’re horrible Monokuma!

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Aw stop it you, you’re gonna make me blush.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} …

 

Monokuma: And we finally get to the final pair of two people!

 

Reijiro: {Mumbles} So many words were redundant in that sentence…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Starting with Hayato Seiki.

 

Oh god… it’s me… what weapon will I get?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Lucky you, you get…a gun. The most lethal of all weapons and probably the easiest to use.

 

A… gun?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Hey, that’s no fair, why do the boring ones get the better weapons…?

 

Monokuma: Come on Hayato, take the gun… it’s all yours.

 

I don’t want to… but I have no choice do I?

 

Slowly, my limp hands grabbed a hold of the gun, the feeling of the cold metal against my skin immediately frightening me.

 

I can feel everybody’s looks… I have the best weapon out of all of them… it’s so easy for me to commit murder… all I have to do is press a trigger… they don’t actually think I’ll do it though… do they?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Last but not least, Fusume Ebisawa…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Oh would you look at that, maybe you are last for a reason Fusume!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I beg your pardon?

 

Monokuma: It says it on this list, black on white! You don’t get a weapon!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ngh…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} What?

 

Shinto: I thought you said that everybody would get one!

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} Why do you always contradict yourself Monokuma?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} No no no… you’re all mistaken, there is a specific reason for this decision.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} And that reason is?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Well, why would I give a weapon to someone who already carries weapons on her 24/7?

 

Jessie: What??

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} I’m not sure if you’ve noticed but Fusume carries shurikens and kunais on her at all times… very deadly weapons, especially in the hand of a trained ninja like herself.

 

Fusume: {Hands covering face} …

 

Monokuma: So these are your allocated weapons Fusume, the ones you already have upupupu!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} On a side note, it is rather comical that you trust someone who carries deadly weapons on her like that, but it’s none of my business…

 

He’s trying to make us doubt Fusume isn’t he?

 

 

And judging by the worried look on everyone’s face I think he’s achieved his goal… poor Fusume.

 

Monokuma: And that’s it for the weapon allocation! I hope you’re all happy with your weapons upupupupu!

 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Bro, you realise that once you leave we’re all going to throw these weapons away and move on with our lives.

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} That’s r-right!

 

Yoshi: {Bows} We oughta be burnin’ them in the garbage room!

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Yes! Good idea Yoshi!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Actually no you won’t do that.

 

Hayato: What?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Why not?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} This is about the “additional” rule you’ve talked about earlier, correct?

 

Monokuma: Precisely! Now that you all know what your weapons are, I’ll tell you the additional rule.

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} It’s only a small rule… a teeny tiny small rule.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Go on dammit!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} As I’ve previously made clear… I’ve got eyes and ears everywhere in the resort. So I’ll have you know…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} That , starting from tomorrow morning, if one of you ever leaves their room without their weapon on them… I’ll execute them!

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} PFFFF WHAAT?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You gotta be joking man.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} What… d-d-does that mean?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} It means that just like Fusume you are now obliged to carry your weapons on you at all times… other than in your rooms of course

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} You therefore will have a weapon on you every time you leave your rooms. Every interaction you will have with one another will be with a weapon in hand!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} How brilliantly simple is that? Surely one of you will eventually crack, the opportunities will be so perfect! You will have chances to commit murder at all time and in all places! upupupupupu!

 

Jessie: {Upset} I don’t want to have to carry a weapon with me.

 

Oriana: {Cries} Weapons are s-scary…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} How can we even interact with each other when we are all under the threat of a weapon?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You won’t be threatened… we… w-won’t use the weapons.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Can you be sure of that though?

 

Hikari: I… I…

 

What a… fucked up rule…

 

Monokuma: Oh and in the eventuality that you’re worried about getting blood on you while committing your murders… if I may make a little product placement…

 

{Camera shows Monokuma holding a pile of transparent plastic capes with his face on them}

 

Monokuma: Introducing the Monokuma Ponchos© easy to hide and perfect to keep your clothes intact from a nasty little blood splatter.

 

Monokuma: Buy your Monokuma Poncho© today for the small price of… actually screw it, it’s free! don’t want to hinder y’all in your quest for freedom.

 

Monokuma: If you want one, they’ll be piled up in the arts and craft room!

 

{Back to normal}

 

Monokuma: {Curious} You bastards can’t say I didn’t help you with this one. You literally have every tool in hand to create your perfect murder plan.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Easy targets… accomplices… and now weapons. You’re spoiling us Monokuma.

 

Monokuma: I know I know… now, I’ve said what I’ve had to say. I’ll let you guys go to sleep, it’s almost night time. Don’t forget to take your weapons though!

 

Monokuma: {Smirk} If you forgot them you couldn’t go out of your room anymore, that’d be inconvenient right?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} …

 

Monokuma: I’m generous so I might remind you of the implications of abandoning your weapons tomorrow morning… but you better not forget or… it’s an automatic death.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} And you know I don’t want to take the life of my students without reason!

 

Hikari: How… dare you…?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} That’s it from me! I’m out this joint. Shunshin no Jutsu! {Disappears}

 

 

For the third evening in a row, we were left speechless by Monokuma’s announcement. This third motive is… cruel. He is making us carry weapons everywhere we go. It means that the threat that no matter what we do, the threat of a murder will always follow us…

 

What incredible cruelty.

 

 

As expected, no one knew exactly what to say… it was hard to find words to cheer the group up after such an event.

 

In the end we decided that the best thing we could do for now was go to sleep… or at least try to. We’d think of a solution to this new problem in the morning.

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room}

 

Once again, the day went by so fast… Time flies when you’re having fun they say, but it definitely flies faster when you’re not.

 

I put down the gun on my bedside table… I’m not capable of firing a gun, I know I’m not… but how do I know that none of the others are capable of using their weapon?

 

We always talk about trusting each other… but at the end of the day, maybe Raiko is right, maybe trusting others blindly is foolish…

 

God, why does my head hurt like that?

 

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The monitor in Hayato’s room lights up, showing Monokuma in a bright pink pyjama, holding some a teacup in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Attention to all residents, it is 10PM and night time is now in action, as you know some areas will be off limit until the morning. Go to bed and fall in a deep deep slumber. Who knows what great murder opportunities tomorrow holds upupupu!

 

{The monitor cuts off}

 

We should go to sleep huh? I guess I should try to do so… maybe sleeping will help me forget about the problems of this place.

 

 

 

 

I’ve tried… and I’ve tried, but I can’t sleep. It’s been like an hour since I’ve gotten in bed.

 

It won’t do… I’m sure I won’t manage to sleep while I’m this worried. I should do something… find a way to distract myself.

 

Actually, I know exactly where I’ll go. This will do me some good.

 

{Auto move to Yellow Building - 3rd Floor}

 

I like this place, I want to watch the stars, maybe it’ll distract me… Plus, this is the last time I can wander around without a gun in my hand… so that’s pretty cool too.

 

 

When I got there I noticed that the panoramic ceiling was already open… is somebody else here?

 

???: Who’s there? Oh it’s you Hayato… you can’t sleep either can you?

 

Hayato: Hi Shinto.

 

Shinto: {Sad} Yeah, you definitely can’t sleep I can see it… what’s wrong?

 

Hayato: It’s nothing much, I’m just worried about this whole weapons thing… I feel like I’ve been given a big responsibility by getting the gun.

 

Hayato: And I feel like I don’t know who to trust anymore! It’s scaring me out!

 

Shinto: Hm… I see, well you made a wise decision to come here, the sky is particularly nice tonight.

 

Hayato: Yeah, I thought it’d be relaxing to look at the stars a bit…

 

Shinto: {Leans on cane} I guess that you and I think alike then! I always look at the sky when life makes me feel like looking at the floor.

 

Hayato: That’s actually quite poetic…

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Why thank you haha, I said it just like that but you’re right, it does sound pretty smart, I should note it down somewhere.

 

 

We sat in silence for a few minutes, just looking up… the sky was perfectly clear, not one cloud to mess with the beauty that surrounded us…

 

 

Hayato: So um, what about you? Why are you here?

 

Shinto: {Looks down} Aw, you know, I’ve been coming here a lot the past few nights… it’s pretty hard sleeping alone for me.

 

Hayato: Oh I see.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Wait! I didn’t mean that in a sexual way or something! Just meant that I like having Yoko with me.

 

Hayato: Yeah of course, I get that.

 

Shinto: {Sad} This whole grouping motive has drove us apart… Monokuma knows it.

 

Shinto: I bet that’s exactly why Monokuma didn’t put us in the same group. To separate us.

 

Hayato: I’m sorry Shinto…

 

Shinto: {Sad} This has been really hard on me, the way she looks at me with anger… why can’t she look at me the way she used to?

 

Shinto: {Looks down} And now, she looks fine with Kenji, they laugh together and seem to be pretty happy.

 

Shinto: Jessie’s nice to me you know, actually she’s really sweet but I can’t be happy when I see Yoko happy with another guy.

 

Shinto: {Sad} Sorry for the rant, you probably don’t care about our silly disputes.

 

Hayato: No, of course, I care Shinto.

 

Shinto: You do?

 

Hayato: Obviously, we’re friends!

 

Hayato: What you need to understand though, is that Yoko won’t just forget about you like that!

 

Hayato: She loves you dude! She might have fun with Kenji, but it has nothing to do with what she feels for you.

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} You… you think so?

 

Hayato: I’m sure of it. They’re friends… they both have strong characters and oddly enough they seem to get along pretty well… but Kenji doesn’t mean any ill will towards you and neither does Yoko!

 

Shinto: {Bends down, finger pointing} You… you’re right! I’ve been overthinking this!

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} This has been eating me out the past few days but you’re completely right. I need to stop worrying and go talk to her about it.

 

Hayato: Yes, that seems like a good idea!

 

Shinto: Thank you Hayato, thank you for reminding me of what’s important.

 

Hayato: Oh uh, you’re welcome.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} I think I’m ready to go face my lonely bed!

 

What?

 

Shinto: {Sad} I’d been so worried I couldn’t face sleeping alone but… now, I think I’m ready to go back.

 

Shinto: Sorry to ditch you like that, I’m just really tired beneath all the worries!

 

Hayato: Don’t sweat it. I’ll probably go back to my room, I feel a bit better myself.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} I’m glad!

 

Hayato: Wait, before you go, how do I close this panoramic thing? Don’t wanna leave it open all night.

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Oh don’t worry about that one, it closes automatically!

 

Hayato: Really?

 

Shinto: {Bends down, finger pointing} Yeah, Monokuma explained to me that there are sensors in the room, whenever the room is empty the roof will close by itself.

 

Hayato: Interesting, so if the roof is open, there is necessarily someone in the observatory.

 

Shinto: Yup that’s it! Alright, I’m gonna get going I think, sleep tight Hayato, thanks for everything!

 

Shinto left…

 

I’m glad I saw him to be honest, I like Shinto, he’s really a good guy, you can see it once you get to know him. He worries a lot yes, but it’s because he’s really in love… how cute.

 

How old am I, 12? Look at me getting amused by other people’s relationships… anyways, I’ve done my good deed for the day, I think me being here cleared his mind… I guess it also cleared mine in a way. To think about a problem other than surviving this hell hole… it felt good.

 

I should go back to my room.

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room}

 

It’s super late, if I don’t sleep soon, I’ll be exhausted tomorrow. My mind is full of anxieties but… I need to put them aside. We’ll figure it out tomorrow. We simply have to… We have no choice but to make it through this!

 

 

After long minutes of agitation… I finally fell into a deep sleep.

 

Monokuma Theater

 

Monokuma: You know what time it is…

 

Monokuma: It’s story time!!! Exciting, I know, but simmer down.

 

Monokuma: This is a story of a bear who went to the doctor and…

 

Monokuma: Hold it right there! I know exactly what you’re thinking!  

 

Monokuma: You and your perverted patriarchal views of society assumed the doctor was a man!

 

Monokuma: Don’t deny it, I know I’m right! You won’t prove me wrong!

 

Monokuma: You’re all the same, deep down. You don’t want to accept it but it’s true. You think men are superior huh? You think men are the only ones who can take the important responsibility of being a doctor!

 

Monokuma: You and your archaic views on society… it really shocks me you know…

 

Monokuma: Well, I’ll tell you the truth, the doctor in the story wasn’t a man… but it wasn’t a woman either!

 

Monokuma: It was a bear. That's because humans are incapable of anything meaningful and that regardless of their gender.

 

Monokuma: That’s the end of the story, the moral is pretty self explanatory… even for a dumb human like you!

 

Notes:

Thanks for reading yet another chapter of my fic, things are starting to get intense again! As usual, please leave your impressions in the comment, also feel free to leave predictions about future deaths, or even about who Caspian's true identity could be, every single comment makes my day! To vote for next chapter's free time it's right here : https://www.strawpoll.me/17450646 or in the comments, whatever works best for you.

Once again, thank you so much for keeping up with my story, it means a lot to me.

Hopefully the next chapter will be out in two weeks latest, but I'll do my best to make the wait as short as possible.

See you in the next one ;)

Chapter 19: Chapter 2 : A Gentle Melody for a Lost Soul : Daily Life part 4

Notes:

I had more time than I thought this week! That means you can enjoy this chapter much earlier than I would have expected!

Free time are spent with Oriana and Yoshi in this update

Enjoy :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a Jacuzzi, holding some sort of cocktail glass in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Gooood Morning! This is your director speaking, it’s now 8:00 AM! Look out the window, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. A perfect weather to kill wouldn’t you say?

Get ready for a spectacular day everyone!

Oh and as a friendly reminder, don’t forget your allocated weapon when you exit your room! I hope you’re well aware of the consequences of disobeying the rule, which by the way has been added to the corresponding section of your Resident ID.

 

{The monitor turns off}

 

Ugh… I definitely did not get enough sleep last night… then again, I’m not upset that I had my little trip to the observatory, I think I really helped Shinto get over his worries about Yoko…

 

Still, I’d kill for another hour in bed, but… I can’t do that. I have to hurry and try to be on time for once.

 

Just as a precaution, I checked the rules and regulations section on my Resident ID. Just as Monokuma stated it read:

 

Rule #12: It is strictly forbidden for residents to exit their room without their weapon

 

I guess we really have no choice but to follow his orders huh?

 

 

I showered and got dressed but before I left the room I noticed an unusual object on my bedside table. It looked very similar to my Resident ID, a small tablet with no particular features to be noted.

 

What… is this? This tablet definitely wasn’t there last night… Did Monokuma bring this here? Actually, that’s a stupid question, of course, he did. No one else could have entered my room as long as my Resident ID is here…

 

I should probably check it out, I can’t even start to imagine what this tablet’s for…

 

{Examine Unknown Tablet} 

 

As soon as I pressed the screen, a video started playing.

 

The words “Display of Talent” were written in a big red font as Monokuma narrated:

 

Monokuma: Hope’s Peak Academy is a school for the most talented among us… every student excels in one area.

 

Monokuma: The question I ask myself is: why let all this talent go to waste?

 

After he said that, a sort of montage started playing, it basically showed each of us in action while overly dramatic music played in the background.

 

To resume all the things that were played, I saw:

 

Reijiro speaking in a conference room surrounding by photographs,

 

Hikari receiving some sort of award for her work,

 

Shinto and Yoko on a TV show about the most influential people in Japan,

 

A F1 race with Kôzuke miles in front of everyone else before he rushes through the finish line while everybody cheers,

 

Jessie standing between two politicians, a microphone in her hand, calming the two men while speaking in two different languages,

 

Yoshi attempting a trick in which he jumped from a trapeze around a pole before landing in a flaming hoop,

 

Oriana leading a ballet in front of a seemingly sold out crowd with a full orchestra accompanying them,

 

Me, in the middle of a book signing in the biggest library in Tokyo,

 

Rina’s acceptance speech for the Oscar of Best Female Lead Actress,

 

Kenji in the jungle, using a machete to cut through the trees, and escape from a jaguar pursuing him,

 

Fusume standing proudly as a policeman shakes her hand, three men with defeated expressions in handcuffs at her feet,

 

And finally, Raiko, grinning maliciously as multiple shady looking men offer her briefcases filled with money.

 

As the montage was coming to an end, Monokuma repeated his words from the start of the video.

 

Monokuma: That’s what I’m asking myself, just why should we let this talent go to waste.

 

The words: “Escape from the resort and unleash your talent” appeared in the same red font before the video stopped.

 

 

I think the tablet has shut down… showing me this video was probably it’s only function.

 

This… this was surprisingly nice compared to the other things that Monokuma has shown us. I mean yes, it is encouraging us to kill but it’s a nice message to remind us that we are talented… Also it was pretty cool to see everyone in action.

 

I don’t know why but this video has put me in quite a good mood actually, probably not the effect that Monokuma hoped for but I’m happy about it.

 

 

I should go check on everyone else.

 

Before I left the room, I made sure to grab my gun… never thought I’d say these words before but right now I have no choice but to carry this thing around everywhere I go.

 

 

Enough daydreaming let’s go.

 

{Move to Room Hallway}

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Hayato: Good morning Fusume, how are you-

 

Fusume: {Dozing off} zzzzzz…

 

Is she sleeping standing up again?

 

Fusume: zzzzz. {Shocked} Ah, Hayato!

 

Fusume: {Rubbing eyes} Uh… good morning to you too.

 

Hayato: You okay? Don’t tell me you went through an all nighter again!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I uh… I… ok maybe I did not sleep last night but… it was for a good reason!

 

Hayato: What did we talk about Fusume? You getting enough sleep is a priority!

 

Fusume: {Confident} However, what I did last night was very important! You will see why in due time.

 

Hayato: Can’t you just tell me now what you were up to?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No. I shall announce it once the whole group is present.

 

What could it be that she did for the entire night…? I wonder.

 

Hayato: Okay then, I guess I’ll see you in the restaurant.

 

Fusume: {Rubbing eyes} Yes… that sounds… very… {Dozing off} zzzzzz…

 

And she fell asleep again. I should let her get to breakfast at her own pace then.

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor}

 

{Move to Restaurant}

 

{Scene opens up to show the cafeteria with the whole group but Raiko present}

 

I should have expected it but once I arrived at the restaurant… the scene that awaited me was simply surreal…

 

{The students are scattered around the room with their weapons in hand, notable scenes include Yoko stroking Shinto’s cheek with the tip of her sword, Kenji cutting fruit with his machete and Tadao struggling to move the dumbbell to his table}

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Good morning, I see you are still not decided on being on time.

 

Shit… I’m the last one to get to breakfast again!

 

Hayato: S-sorry… then again I had a good reason to be late today!

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} That reason being what exactly?

 

Hayato: Well, I took time off to look at the video on that tablet that Monokuma dropped in my room!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Hm, I see… that would explain it.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} A tablet…? I didn’t get no tablet man…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You didn’t? That’s weird I assumed we all got one…

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Where… did you get it?

 

Hayato: It was on my bedside table when I woke up this morning.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Same here.  

 

Rina: {Annoyed} What the hell are you talking about?

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Yeah, the Yosh’ ain’t be gettin’ no tablet!

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Are you sure you didn’t just miss it or something?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} No. I’m always careful with my stuff, I’d have noticed if there was a tablet in my room.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Just to make sure, who watched the video this morning?

 

Hayato: Well, obviously I did.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} So did I.

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} You can add me to that list, I definitely saw the video as well.

 

 

Reijiro: Is that it?

 

Nobody else acknowledged having received the tablet, I guess that means that just the four of us got it… how strange.

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Hm… do you four mind resuming what was in that video for those of us who haven’t seen it?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Very well.

 

Reijiro told the group what the video was all about.

 

 

Shinto: {Rests on cane} I see… so this was similar to the first motive video we got right?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notepad} In a way, yes it was… but at the same time it felt a lot more positive in tone…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah, it was a lot less depressing than that “what could have happened” bullcrap.

 

Hayato: I agree, I actually thought it was almost a nice gesture.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Except for the fact that it encouraged us to murder our classmates, of course.

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} Well, it’s kinda weird that only you guys got that tablet… I don’t see why Monokuma would only give it to you…

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Is there anything that l-links Hikari, Kenji, Reijiro and Hayato?

 

Reijiro: Not that I can think of…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Huh… this is really strange man…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Tch, yeah, then again what else would you expect from Monokuma!?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Either way, seeing those videos definitely won’t encourage us to commit a murder so it’s pointless to discuss this any longer!

 

Rina: {Yawns} It’s just like this weapon bullshit, it’s not like it’s pushing us to murder… it’s just super inconvenient.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Yeah, walking around with a machete doesn’t make me wanna kill you.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} It just makes everything feel kinda awkward, that’s it.

 

Jessie: {Pouts} And it’s not by making things awkward that Monokuma will get what he wants!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Agreed! However, I think I might have the solution to fix this “inconvenience” you mentioned!

 

Rina: {Shocked} You do?

 

Could this be related to what she did last night?

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume: {Rubbing eyes} I… uh… did not get much sleep last night because I stayed up very late working on something.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Working on s-something? What c-c-could it possibly be?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Please, do elaborate on what it was that you did.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} I have thought long and hard about this third motive and what it entails…

 

Fusume: {Confident} and I’ve realised that if we suppress the feeling of carrying weapons, then the motive is rendered pointless.

 

Shino: Suppress the feeling? But… how?

 

Fusume: {Rubbing eyes} This… this is what I’ve been working on.

 

Fusume pulled out a huge plastic bag from under the table she was sitting at and started distributing what seemed like pieces of leather in various shapes and sizes.

 

Rina: {Shocked} Um… what is this exactly?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I made these all last night, they’re holsters and scabbards and bags… they’re all personalised to your weapon.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Scabbard…? What the heck is that?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, it is simply what the piece of fabric you cover a sword with…

 

Fusume: I’ve equipped all of them with shoulder straps or clips to attach to your pockets or… some sort of way to keep the weapon out of your hands.

 

She finished distributing her creations to the rest of the group.

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} How… and where did you make all this?

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} The arts and craft room was equipped well enough for me to create these.

 

Fusume: {Confident} As to how… I’ve had to make straps for my weapons before, leatherworking was a part of my training.

 

Shinto: {Rests on cane} Hm… I see.

 

Jessie: {Crossed arms} But… but… Fusume-chan! είσαι τρελός? This must have taken ages to make!

 

Fusume: It was rather tedious yes but… it is well worth the effort.

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} H-how so?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Monokuma is under the impression that constantly having a weapon’s in one hand will ultimately make us commit murder…

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} He did say that, by giving us constant opportunities he hoped to make us crack.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} So… I thought that by allowing you to carry your weapons as if it was simply a bag of some sorts… you would maybe forget about it.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And not… give in to the temptation that Monokuma has brought on to us…

 

 

I understand what her goal was now… she really is thoughtful… when I first met her, I’d never have thought that she was this caring but… it’s clear that keeping the group safe is her number one priority at the moment.

 

 

We all remained silent for a little while… at least for the time it took for everyone to attach their weapon to the personalised bag that Fusume had made.

 

I put my gun in the coffee brown holster and clipped it to my jeans… it feels a bit weird but it definitely relieves the pressure of carrying it around in my hands…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Why… why is everybody quiet do you not like it?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} If this was a bad idea, I can just take them back…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Fusume…

 

Fusume: Y-yes?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} I think the only thing we can all say to you right now is thank you!

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} That’s right! Thank you Fusume-chan! I feel a lot safer like this!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Having to carry a sword around was already annoying… this, this makes it a lot better!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Plus… we look hella badass with these things!

 

Fusume: {Tearing up} S-seriously? You all like it?

 

Hayato: Of course we like it Fusume!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} This… this is definitely thoughtful of you Fusume. I have to thank you!

 

Fusume: {Rubbing eyes} I thought… I thought you were not going to trust me anymore because of what Monokuma said about me carrying a weapon so… I wanted to redeem myself.

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} There’s no need for you to redeem yourself dude! Seriously, we all trust you here!

 

Fusume: {Tearing up} You do?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Of course we do Fusume! This only makes the feeling stronger!

 

Fusume: {Rubbing eyes} I’m… I’m glad!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Even i-if my weapon is uh… just a b-b-bottle… it’s still more p-practical like this!

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} I guess it’s better that I don’t have to carry it around anymore.

 

Tadao: {Sombre} My dumbbell is still heavy… but this is a nice gesture, so thank you.

 

Fusume: {Tearing up} Guys, I don’t know what to say… I thought that… that… {Faints}

 

Just like that, mid-sentence, Fusume just fell to the floor.

 

Jessie: {Scared} Fusume-chan!

 

Without thinking I jumped from where I was sitting to go check up on her.

 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Give her some space, she is breathing normally…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} In fact, I believe she is simply asleep.

 

Kôzuke: She just fell asleep like that mid conversation?

 

Hayato: Keep in mind that Fusume did not get any sleep at all last night… she’s exhausted.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-what should we d-do about her then?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The girl obviously needs to get some sleep…

 

Kenji: {Snickers} I’ve got this guys… I’ll just carry her to her room

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Are you sure that you are up to the task?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Who do you think I am? I’m smart enough to do this ya know…

 

Reijiro: Very well…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I believe that she would want the rest of us to try to live our daily lives the way we have for the past couple of days… stay in your pairs and remain safe.

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Sounds good to me!

 

Kôzuke: Yeah! We’ve been doing pretty well with that the past few days!

 

Reijiro: {Points at Hayato} As for you, since your partner is obviously not able to stay with you at the moment…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Try not to stay alone got it?

 

Hayato: Y-yeah! Okay!

 

Not that I intended on staying alone anyways.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Very well, I wish you all a pleasant day.

 

It’s really surprising to me how Reijiro is changing… he’s actually starting to be almost nice to the rest of the group.

 

 

Kenji, followed by Yoko, left with Fusume in his arms to bring her back to her room… she deserves some rest after all she’s done for us.

 

The rest of us went back to our respective rooms.

 

 

I agree with what Reijiro told me, because my partner is not fit to be with right now, I should try to do stuff and not stay by myself. I’d get bored anyways.

 

So… what should I do with my free time?

 

{Free time starts} 

 

{Exit Black Building}

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 1st Floor}

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 2nd Floor}

 

{Move to Music Room}

 

{Yoshi and Oriana are here}

 

{Talk to Oriana}

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Hey Hayato… I uh… hope everything is well with you! … Kyah! I ran out o-o-of things to s-say!

 

Should I spent some time with Oriana

 

{Yes/No}

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} You want to spend your free t-time with… me? Thank y-y-you! I’ll do my b-best so that you’re n-not bored!

 

…  

 

I spent the morning with Oriana listening to her favorite classical music pieces… It was obvious that she wanted to dance along to them but I’m guessing she’s not comfortable enough with me to do so… Hopefully that time will come soon, seeing someone as talented as her in action must be a cool experience!

 

I think we got a bit closer

 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Uh… Hayato, I h-hope you’re not too uh… mad with me a-about last time…

 

Hayato: Last time? What are you talking about?

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} You’ve f-f-forgotten, I guess that means it… uh… wasn’t that important t-to you…

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} Still… I acted h-horribly and I am super… s-super sorry!

 

Seriously… what the hell is she talking about?

 

Oriana: Don’t you r-remember? Last time we had a meeting… I c-came terribly late! I d-don’t expect you to forgive me for th-that!

 

Last time we had a meeting… horribly late?

 

Hayato: Are you talking about when we had to clean the dishes a couple of days ago?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Yes! Th-that’s it! I’m so sorry for my… u-unacceptable b-b-behaviour!

 

She reacted kinda similarly when she arrived that day…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} S-sorry… I’m so s-sorry, I’m horribly l-late {Cries} S-sorry.

 

Horribly late? We said we’d meet at 3 PM and it is…3:03? How is that terribly late

 

Hayato: It’s alright Oriana, you’re only three minutes late, don’t worry.

 

Oriana:{Shocked} Three w-whole minutes{Cries} G-god I’m uh so…  so… sorry...

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

I’m guessing this is a touchy subject for her… I should be careful in the way I approach it.

 

Where could she have gotten this fear of being late from?

 

  1. Ballet class
  2. School
  3. Performances

 

Hayato: Tell me Oriana, was punctuality really important in your ballet classes?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Y-Yeah… how do you know?

 

Hayato: The fact that you’re so scared of being late… even by such a small margin, it made me think that you were taught that being on time is important in a place that mattered to you!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyah! Such sound l-logic! You’re completely r-right!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Back in b-ballet school… my teacher, Arashi-sensei… she w-was super super s-strict about punctuality!

 

Arashi-sensei…? The way she refers to her shows that she definitely respects her.

 

Oriana: {Sad} She w-was really horrible w-with m-me…

 

Oh… maybe not?

 

Hayato: Horrible? How so?

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} She o-owned one of those uh… radio c-clock that never goes… uh… out of time… it’s always p-perfectly on time you know!

 

Hayato: Yeah, I’ve heard of that before.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Well, if w-we were… just one second late, she’d kick us out of the c-class completely!

 

Oriana: {Cries} S-she’d tell u-us to l-leave and c-come back once we u-understand the g-g-gravity of what we’d done…

 

That seems… oddly severe.

 

Oriana: {Pulls hair} And… and… b-because of that, I’d miss r-really important r-rehearsals and then… she’d b-blame it on me when the representations w-weren’t perfect…

 

Hayato: What do you mean? How did she blame it on you?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} After a uh… s-show, she’d c-come to me and say: Oriana! D-do you know what you’ve done?!

 

Oriana: {Cries} And then she’d s-scream at me about h-how if s-something went w-wrong, it was b-because I missed a r-rehearsal!

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} She d-did that even w-when the m-mistake d-didn’t come from me!

 

Hayato: But… if the mistake didn’t come from you then why did she blame it on you?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I guess that… it’s b-because b-ballet dancers g-generally have p-pretty large egos…

 

Oriana: {Cries} And s-she knew that I w-was shy and r-reserved, so it was uh… I guess… e-easier to b-blame it on me than on one o-of the more c-confident dancers.

 

Hayato: But wait…  quite clearly you were the most talented dancer there.

 

Oriana: {Blushes} I w-wouldn’t uh… say that…

 

Hayato: Well, I would, you’re the Ultimate Ballet Dancer, that’s for a reason.

 

Oriana: {Sad} Uh… maybe so… but that didn’t change the w-way she’d treat me…

 

This whole thing is clearly an emotional topic for her… poor Oriana. If only she could speak out a bit more…

 

Hayato: If she was this unfair with you, why didn’t you confront her about it?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Confront… Arashi-sensei? I could n-never…

 

Hayato: Okay, maybe not confront but at least talk to her about it… and about how the way she’s treating you isn’t exactly fair.

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} Oh… I uh… tried to do that but… but…

 

Hayato: But?

 

Oriana: {Sad} When I did… Arashi-sensei… she… she…

 

Oriana: {Cries} KYAAAAAAH!

 

And just like that she left the music room, crying as hard as I’ve seen her cry in all our time here…

 

Dammit, I think I pushed her a bit too hard on a sensitive subject, I should apologize to her next time I have the chance.

I feel really guilty now… seeing her sad like that put me in a bad mood… Damn… I don’t empathise with people that much usually.

 

Either way, I think I understand Oriana a bit better now.

 

{Oriana’s report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

I quickly put the discs we listened to back in their allocated shelves and decided to go back to my room for a bit.

 

{Auto-Move to Hayato’s room}

 

I have just enough time to rest a bit before lunch. Perfect!

 

 

 

 

*Knock Knock*

 

Huh… somebody knocked at the door. Last time this happened, it was Fusume but for obvious reasons I doubt that it’s her…

 

I should go check who it is.

 

{Examine Door}

 

I opened the door and saw…

 

Hayato: … It’s you.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hand} Hello there Hayato!

 

Hayato: What do you want?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I’ll cut to the chase, I need a favor from you.

 

Hayato: Why the hell would I do anything to help you? All you ever do is to mess with us. So…  there’s no way I’ll help you with anything!

 

Raiko: {Hits cigarette} Hm… I see, what if I told you that this was to benefit the whole group?

 

Hayato: I wouldn’t believe you.

 

Raiko: Fair enough…

 

Hayato: I’m going to close the door now if that’s all you had to say.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} No wait. This is important…

 

Hayato: Do you seriously expect me to trust you after everything you’ve done to us?

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Just hear me out… please! If you don’t want to do as I ask then don’t… but at least let me tell you what I need help with!

 

I’m going to regret this but… fine.

 

Hayato: Okay… I’m listening.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} May I come in?

 

Before I even had the chance to answer she walked in and closed the door behind her.

 

Raiko: Thank you… follow me.

 

Hayato: Huh?

 

She took my hand and pulled me all the way to my bathroom before closing the door quickly.

 

Hayato: What the hell are you doing.

 

Raiko: Calm down…  I need you to hide this for me.

 

{Camera shows a white vial labeled “Luminol Powder C8H7N3O2”}

 

Hayato: Hide it? This is… luminol? How the hell did you get this?

 

{Back to normal}

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Remember how useful luminol was to us during last trial?

 

Hayato: Of course I remember.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} A little bit of this, and this and finally this. Poof and Bob’s your uncle! Here you go.

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} if blood was previously present, a blue trace should be visible.

 

Kôzuke: Let’s see these scissors then.

 

{Camera shows the scissors after the luminol test was completed}

 

Wow, the scissors are, almost completely blue. There was definitely whole lot of blood on them. This is it. It’s gotta be over for her.

 

Fusume: {Pulls out Kunai, dark look} So Fukami, what do you have to say for yourself now?

 

Fukami: {Head down, shaking} Ngh…

 

Fukami: {Repeatedly bangs briefcase on podium} NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOO.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: I know for a fact that having luminol powder is really practical… still, you didn’t answer my question. Where did you get this?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Mmh, I told Monokuma I’d use it for a murder.

 

Hayato: What?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Obviously that was a lie… I have already told you that there is no way I’m gonna risk elimination this early in the killing game.

 

I really don’t like her mentality but if it means we can prevent any more deaths… I guess it’s okay.  

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} The thing is that the bear’s noticed that I lied to him so he’s chasing after me to get it back.

 

Hayato: Then why don’t you just give it back to him?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Because we need it. Especially in a situation like this one.

 

Hayato: A situation like this one? What do you mean by that exactly?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You haven’t noticed? That’s disappointing to say the least…

 

Hayato: Why don’t you spare me your comments and just get to it… or should I go find Monokuma and give it back to him personally?

 

Raiko: Fine… fine…

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} This new motive with the weapons is complex… please recall that Monokuma stated that you were only allowed to use your allocated weapon to kill someone.

 

Hayato: Yes, I remember… what about it?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} It means that if there was to be a murder… which there will be, whatever you guys say.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Knowing what the murder weapon is will essentially give us the identity of the killer.

 

She… she’s not wrong, I mean, I don’t want to believe that any of us will kill again but it’s fair to say that the weapons motive makes it almost easy to figure out who the potential blackened could be.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} If anybody has the balls to commit murder, then they’ll think it through… especially if they have an accomplice.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} That means that they’ll try to erase any trace of their weapon being used!

 

Hayato: And that’s where the luminol powder comes in right?

 

Raiko: {Tilts head} Exactly! Thanks to the luminol powder, we’re basically guaranteed to identify who the next killer is.

 

Hayato: I don’t think that there will be a “next killer” , but I can’t deny that you’re right… having this at hand would be very useful… just in case.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} That’s why you need to hide it!

 

Hayato: But… why me? can’t you just keep it?

 

Raiko: Of course not, Monokuma knows I have it, he’ll manage to get it from me eventually.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} But you… he’d never suspect you!

 

Hayato: Is that so?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Yeah… you have an innocent and honest look to yourself.

 

Hayato: Oh uh… thanks?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} So take it… hide it here! I’ll get it back from you eventually!

 

She… she actually seems honest… I know I’m probably falling for some kind of trap but… I don’t see what I have to lose in accepting.

 

Having this would genuinely be an asset for future investigations… in case there are any…

 

Hayato: So that’s why you brought me here? Because there are no cameras in the bathrooms.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Yeah… what did you think, that I was going to fuck you?

 

Hayato: No… I thought no such thing…

 

Hayato: Wait… but I mean, he won’t know what happened in the bathroom, but the rest of my room is still filmed, he will be able to tell that you came in here.

 

Hayato: So he’s going to know that I have it!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} You think so…?

 

Hayato: Definitely!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Damn, you really underestimate me Hayato…

 

Hayato: What…?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} You think that I didn’t think this through?! Of course, I did! That’s why I’ve been going into everybody’s room without actually giving them anything!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} That way Monokuma has no way to know who I actually gave it to! Isn’t that pure genius???

 

She… she really thought of everything huh?

 

Hayato: Fair enough… I’ll keep it, not for you but for the whole group…

 

Hayato: It’s only because I think it could be helpful!

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} I knew I could count on you Hayato!

 

Hayato: Yeah whatever, if this comes back to bite me in the ass, I’ll blame it on you…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I didn’t expect anything different don’t worry.

 

Raiko: {Cute smile} I’ll be taking my leave now… I still have more rooms to visit hehehe…

 

Hayato: Okay then…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} This could be very important in the outcome of the next case Hayato… don’t mess this up for me. Actually, don’t mess it up for all of us. {Leaves}

 

She left the bathroom and I watched her leave my room before knocking onto someone else's door.

 

 

That was… weird. I know this is a bad idea but I’ll keep this for now.

 

I took the vial and hid it in the bathroom closet behind some of my daily products.

 

 

I… I hope I won’t come to regret doing this for Raiko… well, she said it herself, this isn’t for her, it’s for the whole group!

 

I should go get lunch, I’m starving… it’ll also be the chance to check up on everyone.

 

{Move to Room Hallway}

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor}

 

{Move to Restaurant}

 

{Scene opens to restaurant, only a few people are here, most of the group is missing}

 

I can’t see Fusume anywhere here… I should ask Reijiro if she knows what’s up with her.

 

{Talk to Reijiro}

 

Hayato: Hey Reijiro.

 

Reijiro: {Reading book} …

 

Hayato: Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Reading book} …

 

Oh boy… is he deaf now or what?

 

Hayato: REIJIRO I’M TALKING TO YOU!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I beg your pardon?

 

Hayato: Finally, you answer me, I’ve been calling your name for like ten minutes.

 

Slight exaggeration maybe but… who cares.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I am truly sorry… I do find it hard to pay attention to the outside world when I am in the middle of a good book.

 

For some reason, I don’t feel like his excuse is genuine… no idea why.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} So… what is so pressing that you had to distract me from my reading?

 

Hayato: I just wanted to know if you had any news about Fusume?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Mmph… no, I do not. Last I heard she was brought to her bed this morning… I have not heard from her since.

 

Hayato: I see, I guess she’s probably still sleeping then?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} She only went to sleep a few hours ago… if she is to recuperate from such a sleepless night, I cannot imagine her waking up before this evening.

 

Hayato: Hm okay…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Anything else?

 

Hayato: No that’s all… I’ll just go uh… get something to eat.

 

Reijiro: {Reads book} Very well.

 

Hayato: If you get any news about her could you let me know?

 

Reijiro: {Flips page} …

 

Hayato: Um, Reijiro?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Don’t even bother, he’s been like that all morning. You’ve lost his attention, he won’t listen anymore.

 

Hayto: Oh… okay then.

 

I’ll leave Reijiro to his reading for now… I don’t think he wants to be disturbed for any longer.

 

 

I sat down by myself and ate my meal quietly as some more members of the group arrived.

 

Kôzuke: {Happy} Hi everyone!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} I hope you’re all well… {Looks at Hayato} Uh… {Distressed} I…

 

She’s still not over it huh… I really should find the time to talk to her some time soon.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You okay Hikari?

 

Hikari: {Snarls with angry expression} I’ll… I’ll tase you!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} Nyaargh! No!

 

The people kept coming in. Pair by pair.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Finally, I can sit down… even with Fusume’s bag, this bust is still really heavy.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} C’mon Shinto-kun, sei dankbar! Fusume-chan spent a long time making these for us.

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} You’re one to talk, your weapon is so much lighter than mine!

 

Jessie: {Wink} I guess that life is unfair like that Shinto-kun. C’est la vie!

 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Waddup everyone, nobody dead yet?

 

Yoko: {Angry} Don’t say that kinda thing big guy… nobody’s going to die anymore!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} If you say so…

 

Shinto: {Sad} Hey, Yoko, could I talk to you after perhaps…?

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Yeah, sure…

 

Good, Shinto’s going to try to talk to her, like I advised him to.

 

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Be rejoiced! The Yosh’ be arrivin’

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} Good d-day, everybody… I’m g-glad to see that everyone is w-well.

 

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Why do I feel like everybody’s staring at me?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You think it’s okay to just barge into people’s bathrooms like that creep? What if I…

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} What if you what?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So she didn’t just do it to me?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I think she did it to everyone…

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Hehehe, I have my reasons… don’t worry about it to much yeah?

 

She turned around and winked at me… I’m guessing the others don’t know the real reason for her intrusion.

 

Shinto: {Bends over, finger pointing} Hey, where’s Tadao? I thought we were supposed to stay in pairs!

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Mmh, he’s coming… he finds it a little hard to walk at a normal pace with this big dumbbell he’s carrying around.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Understand him, it’s not easy…

 

Shinto: I see…

 

And just like she said about a minute later, he arrived, dragging his weapon behind him…

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Why… why is everyone staring at me?

 

Nobody dared answering him and just pretended to move on.

 

Until…

 

{Camera shows Tadao fall to the ground right next to Hayato’s table} 

 

Jessie: Tadao-kun!!?

 

Oriana: Are y-y-you okay?

 

Yoshi: Wow, you alright there fella? Let the Yosh’ be helpin’ you!

 

{Back to normal}

 

Tadao: {Looks away} I’m okay… thanks though… {Points at armband} The eye thanks you.

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} …

 

Oriana: {Trembles}  Y-Yoshi? Is s-s-something wrong?

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} … {Poses} Yep, sorry! I be perfectly fine haha!

 

The was weird… Hm, no matter that… I should finish eating and go back to my room… this place is getting crowded now that we’re all here.

 

 

The rest of lunch went without anything worth noticing so when I was done, I waved goodbye to my friends and went back to my room to rest for a bit.

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

Not much happened this morning but I’m still tired about not getting a full night of sleep… I can’t even start imagining what Fusume’s going through… I should make sure that she rests enough today.

 

 

I’m not going to try to wake her up so I guess I should continue to look around for something to do. It’s a bad idea to just stay by myself.

 

So… what should I do?

 

{Free time starts}

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Move to Black Building - Ground Floor}

 

{Move to Work-out Room}

 

{Yoshi is here}

 

{Talk to Yoshi}

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Howdy there brocoli boy! Music box be feelin’ tired and restin’ in her room… so the Yosh’ be here by his lonesome self!

 

Do I want to spend time with Yoshi?

 

{Yes/No}

 

Yoshi: {Happy} Alrighty then! You be about to witness the Yosh’s fantasmabulous trainin’ routine! Be amazed, be impressed and be…

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Hm… that be all the adjectives I can think of… Whatevs, it finna be great!

 

 

I spent the afternoon watching Yoshi train in the workout room, he’s brought equipment from the gym’s storage room and was practicing several tricks.

 

I watched in silence as he did his thing, often bragging and making stupid puns about what he was doing. I guess I should try to get used to his humour one day or the other. Still, it’s not my fault that his jokes suck!

 

I think we got a bit closer.

 

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} The Yosh’ be wonderin’ somethin’…

 

Hayato: Yes, ask me!

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} D’ya not be thinkin’ that I am… y’know funny?

 

Hayato: You’re asking me if I think you’re funny?

 

Yoshi: Yup… that be my question.

 

C’mon Hayato, how to answer this in a diplomatic manner…?

 

Hayato: Of course, I think you’re funny. You just have a… let’s say “special” sense of humour.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Oh… so ya be thinkin’ that I ain’t funny… I get it…

 

Hayato: Wait, that’s not what I said.

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} Ya ain’t gotta lie broccoli head… The Yosh’ can tell that you ain’t bein’ honest…

 

What?

 

Yoshi: {Sad} I be makin’ jokes cuz I try to be lightenin’ the mood y’know… I can’t take heavy atmospheres…

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} But it be obvious that I often ain’t succeedin’ in makin’ everybody happy.

 

Hayato: Wow… uh Yoshi… you shouldn’t think like that.

 

Yoshi: {Sad} …

 

Hayato: Your jokes might not all be winners but… we still find you funny.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} I… ain’t believin’ you…

 

Hayato: It’s true… I promise… you’re an important member of the group, everyone is!

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} …

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} If everyone be important then it be as I thought… I ain’t special to y’all… even though I try my hardest…

 

Wow… he seriously has some confidence issues huh? I wouldn’t have expected such an emotional conversation from spending time with Yoshi.

 

Hayato: Yoshi… you shouldn’t be so pessimistic seriously! Everybody likes having you around here.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} I reckon that it ain’t true… y’all just be groanin’ at my jokes and makin’ fun of what I be doin’…

 

Can’t really deny that.

 

Hayato: That may be true but still… it doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate you!

 

Yoshi: {Sad} Whatever you be sayin’ broccoli…

 

 

He’s just not saying anything anymore… it’s quickly gonna get awkward it it stays like this. What could I do to cheer him up?

 

    1. Insist that I like him
    2. Talk to him about circus
    3. Tell him a joke

 

 

This is going to be humiliating but whatever… the best way to cheer him up is probably to do this so…

 

Hayato: Hey Yoshi, why don’t we switch roles for a bit and I tell you a joke.

 

Yoshi: {Flips hair} Ya… know jokes broccoli head? That ain’t soundin’ like you…

 

Ouch… okay let me think of a good one.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} C’mon… I’m waitin’

 

Hayato: Okay… here goes: Do you know how you’d describe a job at a prison library?

 

Yoshi: Go on…

 

Hayato: It has its prose and cons!

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} …

 

 

Did he like it or? That’s literally the only joke I could think of… not the greatest but it’s basically on his standards so…

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} …

 

Okay this is getting a little long…

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} …

 

Hayato: Um Yoshi?

 

Yoshi: {Poses} I be officially declarin’ that I didn’t get that one!

 

All that for that?

 

Hayato: Want me to explain it or…?

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} Nah, if you have to explain it, it means it ain’t funny!

 

Or it just means that the audience is too dumb to understand a perfectly good joke… same difference.

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Methinks that you be doin’ your best broccoli… I be thankful for that…

 

Yoshi: {Sad} I guess the Yosh’ ain’t the only unfunny one in this resort.

 

Is he serious right now…? So I’m getting insulted for trying to cheer him up? Good work Hayato… good work.

 

Yoshi: {Poses} Either way! Your attempt at humour be motivatin’ enough! You be tryin’ to cheer me up right?

 

Hayato: Yeah… that was the objective…

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Then I ain’t givin’ up… The Yosh will continue trainin’ so that he becomes a better man!

Hayato: That’s a better mentality to have Yoshi.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Broccoli, help me in movin’ these mats… The Yosh’ be grantin’ your wishes and showin’ you a hell of a trick.

 

Hayato: Oh… okay… how can I help you?

 

 

I helped Yoshi prepare for some more training, he showed me some tricks on the tightrope as well as some features of acrobatics. While he was performing, his words stuck with me though…

I never would have imagined that he had such confidence issues… he always acts so carefree it was almost impossible to notice that his self esteem was so low.

I shouldn’t forget about this… it’s probably a good idea to discuss this next time we hang out.

 

I definitely  understand Yoshi a bit better now.

 

{Yoshi’s report card has been updated based on your experience with him}

 

After he got tired of doing tricks,  Yoshi told me he wanted to go rest. I guess this is where we part ways… I’ll go back in my room for now.

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room}

 

I guess I’ll have to stay here by myself for a little bit.

 

 

 

 

Alright, I’ve had enough of doing my own thing…  it’s time for dinner.

 

Now that I think of it, it’s the first evening since the trial that Monokuma hasn’t made us meet for his announcements at around this time.

That’s definitely a relief… I hope we just have a calm evening all together.

 

That’s all I’m hoping for.

 

{Move to Room Hallway}

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor}

 

{Move to Restaurant}

 

{Entire group but Raiko is here}

 

Looks like Fusume finally woke up, before anything else, I should probably check up on her.

 

{Talk to Fusume}

 

Fusume: {Happy} Good evening Hayato.

 

Hayato: Hey there Fusume, you feeling any better?

 

Fusume: {Rubbing eyes} I have slept for almost the entirety of the day… so yes, I feel rested.

 

Hayato: Good. You deserve to rest after you spent the entire night working for us!

 

Fusume: {Confident} I am glad you think so, has your holster been any helpful to you?

 

Hayato: Definitely, I’ll be honest, I kinda forgot that I was carrying a gun thanks to what you did! Being hands-free is super helpful!

 

Fusume: {Happy} I am happy to hear that, that was my main intention.

 

Hayato: Well you’ve done great, it’s not just me, the entire group is grateful!

 

Fusume: {Rubbing eyes} It was a lot of work… I even made a bag for Raiko’s golf club… I thought that everybody should be treating equally.

 

Fusume: She came to thank me when I left my room so… I think I did a good job.

 

Hayato: You sure did! I’m sure that everybody feels a lot safer now.

 

Fusume: {Happy} …

 

It’s great to see her smiling like that… after everything she’s done for the group, it’s only fair that she gets to rest and feel appreciated.

 

Fusume: {Confident} On a more serious note… I need to talk to you about something that I found yesterday night.

 

Hayato: Oh o-okay.

 

Fusume: Come here.

 

She walked towards a corner of the restaurant distancing herself from the group. Evidently this cannot be heard by everyone.

 

Not left with much of a choice I joined her.

 

Hayato: It’s serious…? Okay tell me more.

 

Fusume: {Spins shuriken on index finger} I found leather and the sewing equipment in the art room but I needed screws which I ended up finding in the storage room.

 

Hayato: Okay… and?

 

Fusume: {Confident} When I was there… I found these.

 

{Camera shows a pair of walkie-talkies}

 

Hayato: Are those… what I think they are?

 

{Back to normal}

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Not only that but they are perfectly functional… but these could be very useful to us…

 

Hayato: You’re right, this way we can communicate with the rest of the group really easily. It’s such a huge resort after all.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Actually, that’s not what I was thinking of…

 

Hayato: What?

 

Fusume: {Confident} We have to keep these from everyone else.

 

Hayato: Keep it from the group? But… but why?

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} Don’t you realise? With the double graduation motive still active, if these get in the wrong hands… it could be bad.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} These walkie-talkies would be a perfect way for two accomplices to communicate… I can’t let that happen.

 

Hayato: Wait, aren't you being a bit pessimistic? I thought you said that nobody here was capable of being a killer-

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} I know exactly what I have said… but I am not taking any risks when it comes to the safety of the people here.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Nobody else should know about these… I am not going to let them fall in the wrong hands.

 

Why is she being so fatalistic about these… they’re just walkie-talkies… it’s not like they’re weapons or anything… and we already have weapons anyways!

 

I just… don’t understand the way she’s acting.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} …

 

Hayato: So what do you want to do? Hide them?

 

Fusume: {Confident} No. Simply hiding these devices would be a waste.

 

Hayato: Then what?

 

Fusume: I will use them… wisely. With me, these walkie-talkies are in safe hands.

 

Hayato: So you’re gonna do what you don’t want the others to?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Except, there is no chance I’d use them in a malicious way! I expected you to trust me.

 

Hayato: I… I…

 

Fusume: {Angry} And even if I wanted to do something, you’re my partner! So you would know wouldn’t you!? So why can you not trust me!

 

Hayato: I… I trust you Fusume. I swear I do.

 

Hayato: I’m sorry if I made it sound like I don’t.

 

 

Fusume: {Rubbing eyes} I am… sorry too, quite clearly the lack of sleep has put me on edge… I just want you to know that I will use these for the safety of the group… that is my sole intention.

 

But I wonder…

 

Hayato: You’re telling me this, but we’re going to spend most of our time together because of the buddy system… so who are you going to communicate with…?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Reijiro. Thanks to the devices, we can warn each other of any suspicious activities around the resort.

 

Reijiro huh? It’s true that they both became de facto leader of the group but still…

 

Hayato: Any reason why him? Other than him and you… you know…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I have no idea what you are insinuating but if you think Reijiro and I’s relationship is anything more than…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You’re wrong… the only reason that I trust him is the same reason that I have decided to trust you.

 

Hayato: The same reason you’re trusting me?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes, it is because both your names were on that 80th class list. This means that neither of you are pretending to be someone you are not.

 

Fusume: That is why I have decided to trust both of you… that is it.

 

That list…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} The file starts with a student list.

Fusume: {Hurt} Well, I say student list… it is not much.

Hayato: What do you mean?

Fusume: See for yourself.

She handed Reijiro and I the file, we flipped it open to the first page and saw…

{Camera shows a sheet of paper with a list of names with heading “80th Class”, however, all the names but the first four have been blacked out, the readable names are : Hayato Seiki, Reijiro Yamane, Fusume Ebisawa and Fukami Ota}

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Our three names were on there… so was Fukami’s but that matters less now that she’s… gone.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That is all there is to it, so do not get the wrong idea about any of this.

 

Hayato: Huh… I see.

 

Monokuma: {Appears} Surprise!

 

I turned around to see that Monokuma was standing on a table holding what looked to be… a cake?

 

Monokuma: Come forth my children come forth… your director has some things to say to you.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} The fuck are you doing here? I thought you didn’t have announcements tonight!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Well, you thought wrong! I need to communicate some stuff with you bastards!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Dammit… I thought we were not gonna get yet another motive…

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-wait please! S-somebody’s missing…

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Is that so, Oriana-chan?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Yes! R-Raiko-chan is not here w-with us!

 

Rina: {Yawns} What does that change, the chick never eats with us anyways…

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Yes b-but… if another motive is r-revealed… it’s n-not fair to her!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Even after everything she’s done to mess with us, you still care about her?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} This matters little, Monokuma is not here for a motive.

 

Oriana: {Cries} W-What?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} How can you know that for sure?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Yeah! Don’t act like I’m easy to read!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} The logic is simple… every evening until now, you called for us to meet through the PA system.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} That way, you were sure that the entire group would be there… however, tonight you did not do anything of the sort…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} this leads me to believe that you do not have as important an announcement to make as you had previously.

 

That… makes quite a lot of sense actually… I should have thought of that sooner.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Reijiro is probably right… it seem unlikely that the bear decided to just change his method from one day to the other like that…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You were so consistent in the way you announced your motives… there’s no way you actually have something important to tell us!

 

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} …

 

Yoshi: {Bows} So…? You better be tellin’ us the truth Monokuma!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Fine, I guess you read right through me… I don’t have any motive for you tonight… sadly.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, that much was obvious to me from the get go.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Don’t you mean obvious to us?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} …

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Well, if you’re not here for a motive… then we don’t care what you’ve got to tell us…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I agree… whatever you are here for. It’s meaningless to us.

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} Wait a second… I… I brought cake!

 

Rina: {Sips on coffee} You really think we care that you brought stupid cake?

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} We don’t want it!

 

Monokuma: {Sad} But… it’s even got my face on it and everything…

 

Hayato: You’ve said your piece Monokuma… now leave.

 

Monokuma: {Sad} …

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Well… I think what I’ve got to tell you will interest you actually…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} } I don’t think you’ve heard us correctly so let me make it clear for you…

 

Kenji: {Furious} FUCK. OFF!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} You will listen to me! I make the rules here!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Or should I remind you what happens when you disobey me…?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaah! He’ll k-k-k-kill us…

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Nonsense. He said he was not going to interfere in the killing game.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I’m not interfering in the killing game, you’ve got that much right… but nothing’s stopping me from teaching you kids to respect your director!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} M-Maybe we should just listen to him guys…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} ”Maybe” ain’t the right word boy! You got no choice but to listen to me!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Just go for it… we do not have your time…

 

Monokuma: {Happy} You got it! Now simply look at the cake… it should make it all clear for you bastards.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} The cake?

 

We got closer and huddled around the cake to see the sentence that had been inscribed on it.

 

{Zoom in on the cake, Monokuma’s face is drawn in frosting with the words “congrats on making the first move!” written in red}

 

Shinto: Congrats on… making the first move?

 

Rina: The hell does that mean?

 

Reijiro: Ngh… nonsense… you do not mean that…

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hayato: Reijiro? You know what this means?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} It sure is cryptic…

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} I… I… I must be mistaken… there is no way that… ngh!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} If you’ve understood what it means then just get on with it!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Aw, I fear that Reijiro doesn’t have the balls to tell you what he’s understood…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} But seeing by his reaction… I think he’s got it perfectly right upupu!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Just tell us what it means already!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Yeah! Stop stalling man!

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} Jeez, I expected more than one of you to get it… y’all are dumber than I thought!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} This is a killing game… c’mon… if you’re making the first move it means that…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} No way…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} You’re lying!

 

You’ve got to be joking…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I’m not lying! A couple people here have started planning a murder upupu!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaaaah!

 

Reijiro: Ngh…

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} A couple people you say?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Exactly! You don’t understand how proud I am! It took many motives but… it was worth it in the end!

No way… I don’t want to believe that…

 

Monokuma: {Happy} In fact, I am so incredibly happy that the planning is in process that I’m willing to help the future blackened in his crime!

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} PFFF WHAT?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} If the blackened needs any additional material or assistance just let me know upupu!

 

Yoko: What happened to not interfering!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Shut up! Let me show my gratitude to those of you who have finally deciding to stop my boredom!



Fusume: {Dark look} Is this another one of your lies? Perhaps you try to intimidate us?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} That’s right! It’s gotta be a lie, we promised we wouldn’t do anything like that…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Well, it looks like the ones who lied are the two of you who promised they’d stay away from murder!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} If it’s two people then it means that…

 

Kenji: {Furious} One of the pairs is planning on killing someone huh? Who the fuck is it?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Do not rush to conclusions Kenji! Monokuma could be lying.

 

Monokuma: {Curious} I even baked a cake to celebrate the good news! You really think I’d do that if it wasn’t true?

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} What kind of argument is that? We don’t know what the heck you would or would not do!

 

Oriana: {Cries} I uh… don’t to believe that p-people here… w-would do something so… horrible!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Why… why is this happening?

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Who could it darn be…?  

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} You’re still sceptical huh?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Then why don’t you taste the cake! Tell me if it tastes like lies upupu!

 

Kenji: {Furious} I’ll show you what I’ll do with your fucking cake!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Kenji! Wait!

 

{Camera shows Kenji shoving his boot in the cake, destroying it completely}

 

Monokuma: AHHHHHHHHH! My beautiful creation!!!

 

Kenji: Damn, that felt fucking great, I’ll tell you!

 

Monokuma: How… dare you…

 

Kôzuke: You know what… screw it man!

 

{Kôzuke joins Kenji and also stomps on the cake}

 

Monokuma: AHHHHHH! Not again!

 

Kenji: Damn straight!

 

Yoshi: THREE TIMES THE CHARM!!!

 

{Yoshi jumps in the air and crushes the cake on last time with his hammer}

 

Monokuma: AHHHHHHHH

 

{Back to normal}

 

Monokuma: {Livid} My beautiful cake… I made it with so much heart. how… how dare you?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That’ll teach you to fuck with us!

 

Kôzuke: Nobody’s planning a murder! You’re just a liar!

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} The Yosh’... just felt like hittin’ the cake y’know…

 

Monokuma: {Sad} You… stupid kids… don’t know anything about life {Leaves} 

 


Kenji: {Snickers} He was just lying everyone… no need to panic!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You… you don’t know that for sure…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Maybe not. But I know we promised we’d never go through another class trial again… and I’m just hoping nobody breaks that promise.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Kenji man… are you saying you trust everyone?

 

Kenji: I wouldn’t go that far… I’m just trying to be hopeful for a change… see what happens.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I see…

 

Fusume: In all fairness… the only thing we can do right now is to trust each other… Kenji is not mistaken.

 

Rina: {Confused} What…?

 

Fusume: {Confident} If some of us are truly planning a murder… then there is nothing that we say that will make them change their mind.

 

Yoko: Wait but we can’t just let it happen like that…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} However, I’ve said it once… I’ll say it another hundred times, I know that none of us are capable of such an act… especially after what we’ve lived through already.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} We know what happens if you fail…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} The risk is so high… nothing good can happen from a murder.

 

Fusume: {Confident} That is why we have to be hopeful and continue living the way we did the past few days… I cannot think of another solution…

 

Again… this way of thinking appears pretty naive but I’m guessing Fusume is doing the same she was doing yesterday… she’s being positive in such a bad situation to reassure everyone.

 

That’s the best way to avoid a murder she says… I just hope it’s enough.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Should we just dismiss this whole speech from Monokuma as another ploy to back us into a corner…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} It would make sense after all… he told us that this double graduation would only work for the first pair to kill…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Therefore, by telling us a pair was already preparing it… he’s hoping it will make us act rashly in order not to waste the opportunity he gives us.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I guess that holds.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} After everything else he’s done to push us to do it … It seems more likely to me that this is another motive of sorts than it being the truth.

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera lense} If it was true, why would he even tell us?

 

Hayato: To create chaos? It appears that’s one of his main goal with us.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Still… I don’t think that it’s true…

 

Oriana: {Trembles} So M-Monokuma lied? Nobody’s a-actually uh… planning?

 

Monokuma: {Appears} Of course they are! Don’t you understand that I never lie when it comes to the killing game?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyah! He’s back!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I am indeed! I’d forgotten to tell you something!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Ugh… can’t you just leave us alone for fuck’s sake.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} You’re… nothing more than a liar… you have nothing to do here man!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} You two have nothing to say about any of this! I should kill you for ruining my cake.

 

Monokuma: {Sad} I put my heart in making it you know…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} K-Kill us?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} You bastards are lucky I’m in a good mood… just know that this kind of disrespect won’t go unpunished next time!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} S-Sorry…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Don’t apologise! You’re making us look a lot less badass bro!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You came back because you had something to tell us yes?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Right… just wanted to warn you there will be some maintenance work in the resort starting from tomorrow.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} M-Maintenance work?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} That’s what I said yes, glad to see someone’s smart enough to understand what I’m saying

 

Oriana: {Shocked} I’m s-smart?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} *Sigh* that was sarcasm… either way the following areas will be off limit tomorrow:

 

Monokuma: The library in the black building, as well as the game room in the yellow building

 

Monokuma: {Curious} The doors will be locked either way… so don’t try to go there.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hm… je vois… we shouldn’t forget about this I guess.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Is that all?

 

Monokuma: {Back turned} Hm… let me check my notes…

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Oh and I’m going to be putting a fresh coat of nice red paint on some of the furnitures and such…

 

Rina: {Yawns} Furnitures?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} You know… benches, walls, swings… etc…

 

Hikari: {Shocked} Swings? What are you talking about

 

Monokuma: {Dreamy eyes} Have you not seen my world famous, record beating swing set?

 

Oh boy… I remember hearing about that

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Why only have a big tree when you can have… A GIANT SWING SET!

{Camera shows Monokuma on an enormous swing}

 

Monokuma: You see, a tree on its own is boring, that much is for sure.


Monokuma: So I installed a swing on it for when I’m bored, but not any swing! It’s the world’s longest swing!


Hayato: What?


{Back to normal}


Monokuma: {Proud} This swing’s rope goes to about 100 meters in length, making it officially the longest swing in the world!


Hayato: But what’s the point of that?



Monokuma: {Curious} Hm, don’t ask me… I thought it was cool. Why not beat a world record when you have the means to!?

 

{Ends flashback}

 

Reijiro: {Checking pocket watch} I believe you have advertised your idiocies to us in enough detail… so if that is all you have to say…

 

Monokuma: Fine, fine… I’ll be gone. I’m just warning you! Don’t mess with my maintenance got it?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I won’t be as lenient as I’ve been today!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} We heard you…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Good, in that case, now you see me… and now you don’t! {Leaves} 

 

I think he’s gone for good this time.

 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I hope it is clear to everyone that it would be foolish to interfere with Monokuma’s maintenance work… testing his patience seems useless.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I agree, let’s stay away from the areas he mentioned.

 

I guess that’s probably the best thing to do.

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Is there anything left for us to discuss?

 

Rina: {Yawns} I’m tired, I think I’m going to go back to my room.

 

Fusume: {Rubbing eyes} I think that’s what we should all do.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Do not forget what we talked about earlier! Monokuma is lying… I am convinced that nobody here is capable of the things he claimed…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Whatever…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} We need to trust each other… I know it might be hard… but that is the only way out of this!

 

Fusume: {Confident} No matter what your beliefs are… just know that you can trust me. I will keep everybody. I swear on my honour.

 

After Fusume pledged for our safety, everybody gradually left back to their room. It’s close to being night time either way… I should try to sleep early this time. I’ll be thankful tomorrow

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room}

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The monitor in Hayato’s room lights up, showing Monokuma in a bright pink pyjama, holding some a teacup in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Attention to all residents, it is 10PM and night time is now in action, as you know some areas will be off limit until the morning. Go to bed and fall in a deep deep slumber. Who knows what great murder opportunities tomorrow holds upupupu!

 

{The monitor cuts off}

 

This time, there is no way I’m going on a night time walk like yesterday… I want to sleep as much as I can because frankly I’m exhausted…

 

 

I started getting ready for bed, putting my pyjama on and such when suddenly I heard…

 

???: P-Please… somebody help me…

 

That sounded like somebody crying right outside the dorm…

 

 

Ugh… as tempting as it is to just act like I didn’t hear anything, I guess I should probably check on that person huh?

 

{Move to Room Hallway}

 

When I excited my room the person I saw was…

 

Oriana: {Crying} Oh… uh… H-Hayato… did I w-w-wake you up? I’m s-s-so sorry… I d-didn’t know w-what to uh… do…

 

Hayato: Oriana! What happened to you? What’s wrong?

 

Oriana: {Crying} I f-forgot my ID in my room this m-morning…

 

Hayato: What?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} And n-now, I’m locked outside my r-room and I can’t g-get in.

 

You need your resident ID to go in your room now… that’s one of the thing Monokuma added after the first trial.

 

{Flashback}

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} I have decided that murders inside one’s room were pretty boring so I decided to add a layer of security.

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} To open your door you’ll have to use your key and scan your Resident ID, like so.

 

He grabbed my Resident ID from my jacket pocket and and waved it in front of the door handle, causing a little ringing sound in response.

 

Monokuma: Now you can enter your room. You’re welcome for making sure your rooms are safe! Of course, only your own ID will open your room, so don’t go trying and opening other people’s rooms.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Shit… I can’t think of any way to bypass the system… Monokuma was adamant that without an ID, the rooms will basically remain locked…

 

Hayato: Did you try to call Monokuma? Maybe he has a master key or something…

 

Oriana: {Crying} I… I… I did.

 

Hayato: And?

 

Oriana: He told m-me that he c-couldn’t just unlock it like that it’d t-take time to r-reset the sensor…

 

Hayato: Well, at least something can be done right?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} He s-said that he’d uh… only uh… d-do it in the m-morning…

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} B-but he a-also s-said that s-sleeping outside o-of a r-r-room was uh… prohibited and n-now I d-d-don’t know w-what to do. Oh g-god!

 

Oriana: {Crying} Kyaaaaaah!

 

Dammit, I can’t think of a single solution… think Hayato, think!

 

Hikari: If you’ll forgive me I just overheard your conversation Oriana.

 

Oriana: {Crying} D-Did I also w-wake you up… I’m s-s-so terribly sorry!

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I was nowhere close to sleeping Oriana, don’t worry about it!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} …

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Why don’t you come sleep over in my room tonight?

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilate} You’d d-d-do that f-for me?

 

Hikari: Of course haha, we’re friends after all, plus I think that’s the only option if you can’t enter your room until the morning.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} A-are you s-sure H-Hikari?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Positively! Come, come… let’s get you tucked in.

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} T-Thank you s-so much!

 

They both entered Hikari’s room an left my sight.

 

 

Well, the problem’s been dealt with at least… still I can’t help but notice that Hikari purposefully ignored looking at me this whole time…

 

 

Dammit.

 

 

For now, I should just go to bed huh… there’s definitely nothing else I could do right now.

 

{Move to Hayato’s Room}

 

Today was less eventful that usual but… there was still a lot of stuff for me to worry about… Especially Monokuma’s cake.

 

As much as I’d like to, I can’t just blindly believe that everything’s going to be alright.

 

Raiko said so… everything that Monokuma does is for a reason… so why would he tell us these things if they weren't true…? I don’t understand.

 

Without thinking to much I walked towards the holster that I’d unclipped from my pants and put on my dresser.

 

 

Are people actually considering using their weapons… I know I couldn’t… this gun… was given to me. I could take a life so easily with just out of the bullets in this…

 

Wait…

 

With an oddly bad feeling I opened the chamber and saw…

 

{Zoom in on the gun chamber, it is empty}

 

Why… why is it empty?

 

Why don’t I have any bullets…?

 

I wasn’t going to use it but… why the hell did Monokuma give me a useless weapon!?

 

What is this? I… I don’t understand I… I…

 

 

And just like that, overwhelmed by nerves and fatigue, my world faded to black.


Monokuma Theater

 

Monokuma: I’ve heard that without music, life would be a mistake…

 

Monokuma: But don’t you ever ask yourself if we’re not mistaken when it comes to music?

 

Monokuma: It’s by asking myself this type of question that I’ve stopped being blinded by the general opinion.

 

Monokuma: I can finally see things exactly how they are!

 

Monokuma: You hear a violin playing? I just hear old wood creaking.

 

Monokuma: You hear an exciting drum pattern? I just hear the collision of two hard surfaces with no harmonical sense whatsoever.

 

Monokuma: You hear a grand piano’s soft melodies? I just hear hammers hitting strings like a blacksmith sharpening his weapon.

 

Monokuma: You hear birds singing and are stunned by the beauty of nature? I just hear them crying in pain, frustrated that nobody understands their suffering.

 

Monokuma: Pessimistic? Me? Nah? I told you already, I just see the world for what it is.

 

Monokuma: And since I accepted this harsh reality my life has been so much better.

 

Monokuma: Trust me!

 

Notes:

Some big revelations in this chapter which will be the last calm act before the storm if you will…
Next chapter will only have one free time slot, as usual you can vote here https://www.strawpoll.me/17496497 or in the comments whichever works best. Talking about comments, this is your last opportunity to predict who's biting the bullet in Chapter 2 and what you think is going to go down! Every prediction and comment is really appreciated as always!

That's it from me I think, I'll do my best to get the next part out ASAP but it will definitely require some careful planning…

As ever, thanks for reading and see you in the next one ;)

Chapter 20: Chapter 2 : A Gentle Melody for a Lost Soul : Daily Life part 5

Notes:

This took me longer than I wanted... sorry for the delay but I hope you're excited for this one. It's daily life part 5 and that can only mean one thing ;)

Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It took me a few seconds to realise where I was… I woke up on the floor next to my bed… why am I here?

 

Slowly… I emerged from my dizzy state and remembered just what happened last night.

 

The gun’s empty… that’s it. I must have fainted after that.

 

I probably overreacted but… I just don’t understand what’s going on anymore. I thought this whole weapon thing was to incentivize us to commit murder… so why give me a useless weapon?

 

Did somebody take the bullets away from my gun while I wasn’t looking? That seems almost impossible, I would have felt it.

 

It was either on me or on my dresser at all times… and I don’t feel like anybody could have stolen the bullets without me noticing. So… it’s gotta come from Monokuma right?

 

My head hurts… I’m confused… too many questions right now.

 

 

I checked the time on my Resident ID… 7:03 AM. I woke up before the morning announcement I guess… happens rarely enough for me to notice it.

 

There’s no point in trying to sleep any longer… I might as well get ready and go to breakfast early for once.

 

 

I showered and got dressed for the day. Before leaving my room, I clipped my gun to my pants as usual… it just feels so much different now that I know that it’s useless to me… I won’t even be able to defend myself if I need.

 

I think I should talk to Reijiro and Fusume about this… they’ll probably know what I should do…

 

For the moment let’s get going… the announcement hasn’t played yet, I want to be there early enough to catch one of them alone.

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Talk to Reijiro} 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Am I still asleep? Pinch me for this must be a dream…

 

Hayato: Wh-what do you mean?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I have never seen you awake so early…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Actually… something troubles you, I can tell… Should I be made aware of what the issue is with you?

 

Hayato: How do you know…?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} So I was right… interesting.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Well, it is rather simple. You are awake much earlier than usual and you look exhausted… that means that you did not sleep well… Therefore, I assume that something troubles you.

 

He reads me pretty well huh? Well, I did want to talk to him about it…

 

Hayato: You’re right… there is something bothering me.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Hold on. Will this be of any importance to me? Because if it is anything that does not regard the group’s safety then do not bother.

 

Wow… yup, that’s more like Reijiro.

 

Hayato: I… I think that this will interest you… it seems pretty important at least.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Then speak freely… I will ask you to try to be brief, I find it hard to concentrate before my morning coffee.

 

Hayato: Actually, I think Fusume should also hear this… maybe it’d save time if I told you both at the same time.

 

Reijiro: I see… {Cleans glasses} You are in luck, I just saw her walking towards the restaurant.

 

Hayato: Really?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Obviously… does it look to you like I am joking ?

 

Reijiro: Let us hurry, the rest of the group will probably start joining us quickly once the morning announcement plays…

Suddenly the monitor in the hallway turned on.

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a Jacuzzi, holding some sort of cocktail glass in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Gooood Morning! This is your director speaking, it’s now 8:00 AM! Look out the window, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. A perfect weather to kill wouldn’t you say?

Get ready for a spectacular day everyone!

Here’s yet another friendly reminder, to avoid forgetting your allocated weapon when you exit your room! I hope you’re well aware of the consequences of disobeying the rule.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Speak of the devil. Come on… we should not waste any more time.

 

Hayato: Okay let’s go.

 

{Auto-Move to Restaurant} 

 

{Fusume is there}

 

Fusume: {Content} Hm, good morning to you two…

 

Fusume: {Shocked} You’re awake early Hayato.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Of course, I said the exact same to him… it appears that he had a troubled night…

 

Fusume: Is that so? Tell me more Hayato.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Yes… please, reveal to us the source of your concerns!

 

 

I resumed the situation to Reijiro and Fusume, showed them the empty barrel of the gun and expressed my incomprehension on the whole ordeal.

 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, I see…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} This… is worrying indeed.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} The way I see it, there are indeed two ways to explain the disappearance of your bullets.

 

Hayato: Which are?

 

Reijiro: You stated it yourself, either somebody took them away from you, or there were none to start with. There is no alternative.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I can think of one more alternative actually.

 

Fusume: And that is that Hayato is lying to us.

 

Hayato: What? You’re joking right…? You know I wouldn’t do that!

 

Hayato: In fact, what the heck would I have to gain from telling you all that if it wasn’t true?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} It could be a ruse to get us to think that you are defenseless… when in fact you are not.

 

What… the hell? Are they seriously doubting me right now? Especially after Fusume’s whole speech on trusting her yesterday?

 

Hayato: You two really think that I’d do something like that?

 

They looked at each other before facing me again.

 

Fusume: {Happy} No I do not think that Hayato… I was simply raising the possibility…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Neither of us believe that you are deceitful enough to do such a thing.

 

Fusume: {Content} You should not worry Hayato… we trust you.

 

Phew…

 

Hayato: You scared the shit out of me! Don’t do that to me again please!

 

Fusume: {Chuckles} You’re so thin skinned Hayato!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} How amusing…

 

Why am I getting bullied here seriously?

 

Hayato: Can we lay off making fun of me and actually focus on the real problem for a second?

 

Fusume: Sure…  Well, to be perfectly fair to you… I think this is not much to worry about.

 

Hayato: What?? But… it means that I have no way to defend myself and… and it also means that somebody might have the bullets!!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I think you are forgetting the rather technical fact that…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Bullets are useless without a gun.

 

Fusume: {Content} That is true… and I do believe the only one in possession of a gun is you Hayato.

 

Hayato: That… may be true but…

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Then there is no problem is there?

 

Hayato: Well…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Think of it this way, either your gun had no bullets to start with and it’s just Monokuma… being Monokuma.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Or somebody took them from you while you were not paying attention but they are left with something that is completely useless.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Either way, this is nothing to worry about.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} If you really care that much, we can confront Monokuma about it later.

 

Hayato: I think I’d like that. Just to be sure.

 

Fusume: {Happy} Then we’ll do it later! If it makes you feel safe, there is no problem in us asking Monokuma.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Then it is sorted. I guess it was not worth worrying all night about was it?

 

Hayato: I mean, I’m still not happy about it but…

 

Hayato: Fine, maybe I overreacted a little bit.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Just a little?

 

Hayato: Okay enough, stop making fun of me-

 

???: Guys, I need help!!!

 

Fusume: Huh?

 

That voice! I recognised it instantly. It could only be…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Oh, it’s only you three.

 

Hikari…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It is still rather early, I would expect the others to start arriving soon enough.

 

Fusume: {Confident} What’s wrong Hikari? How can we help you?

 

Hikari: {Sad} It’s… it’s Oriana, she’s gone.

 

Hayato: WHAAAT?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What… do you mean by gone?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} As in she’s vanished. She wasn’t there when I woke up.

 

Hayato: Oh, for a second I thought that you meant… s-sorry.

 

It makes sense… after what happened last night.

 

{Flashback}

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Why don’t you come sleep over in my room tonight?

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilate} You’d d-d-do that f-for me?

 

Hikari: Of course haha, we’re friends after all, plus I think that’s the only option if you can’t enter your room until the morning.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} A-are you s-sure H-Hikari?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Positively! Come, come… let’s get you tucked in.

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} T-Thank you s-so much!

 

They both entered Hikari’s room an left my sight.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

After Oriana got locked out of her room, Hikari proposed that she stay at hers.

 

Fusume: {Shocked} I… I am not quite sure that I follow what you are saying. Why was she supposed to be in your room?

 

 

Hikari explained last night’s situation to Reijiro and Fusume who weren’t witness to it like I was.

 

 

Rejiro: {Smug} I see… and so what happened this morning ?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… I woke up this morning and she was gone. Just like that!

 

Hikari: {Sad} The bed was empty and her things disappeared with her.

 

Fusume: Hm… that is definitely weird.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notepad} I searched for her all over the building and I knocked on her door as loud as I could… {Sad} No answer.

 

Reijiro: {Head down, glasses shining} Did you talk to anybody about this?

 

Hikari: No, I wanted to ask around but nobody was out yet…

 

Hayato: That’s why you came here, to see if she wasn’t simply having breakfast.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} That’s it… but it looks like she’s not here either huh.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} We would have seen her if she had come to the restaurant… and sadly we did not.

 

Hayato: Then… then where could she be?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I haven’t checked the yellow building yet… there still could be a possibility that she’s there.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Even though I have no idea what she’d be doing in that place.

 

Hayato: Then let’s go look for her now!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Hold your horses… it would be highly unwise to leave the restaurant before the others get here.

 

Fusume: We do not want the group to be suspicious that something like this is going on…

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Wait, so you don’t think I should ask around? But… maybe somebody’s seen her or something!

 

Fusume: {Confident} There is no point in worrying our colleagues with these news, I believe it to be counterproductive.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} How is it counterproductive to try to find our friend…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I have to agree, by telling everyone that one of us is missing, then there will be panic.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} It would be better to investigate on our side calmly to avoid such chaos.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Why do you think it would cause chaos though…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We’re in a killing game… if we tell the group that someone is missing… they’ll assume the worst.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You can’t mean…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We have to face every possibility.

 

Hikari: {Sad} There’s no way that she was killed… I told her I’d protect her… there’s… no… way.

 

Hikari: {Horrified} GAAAAAAAAAAAH!

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Please, calm down… you’re going to bring attention here.

 

Hikari: {Sad} I’m sorry… I just can’t afford losing someone else…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} We understand… but we will not lose anyone else. It simply cannot happen!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Ggh… I wish I could be as sure as you are.

 

Hayato: So… what should we do about this?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I propose that Reijiro and I look around and lead our little investigation today… you two just try to act as nothing has happened.

 

Hayato: Huh? Why just the two of you?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It does seem that if we want as little attention put onto this matter as possible acting in a small committee is the wisest choice.

 

Hayato: Hm… okay then. Hikari and I are basically getting sideline here…  

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} It is nothing against you Hayato, it’s just easier this way.

 

Hayato: Okay then, no hard feelings-

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} And tell me, why should I trust the two of you to make sure Oriana is safe huh?

Fusume: {Hurt} …

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Mmph, do you really have a choice?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} W-What…?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} What else are you going to do? You think you’re more likely to find her by yourself?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Well, maybe not but-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Then let us do it. You are not obliged to have faith in us… that much matters little to me…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} But if you are even able to think logically for a second, you’ll realise that letting us handle the situation quietly is a lot more productive than you running around making noise.

 

Hikari: {Sad} …

 

Reijiro: All you will achieve is trouble. The group will panic and the whole mindset of trust that has been established will be ruined.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Especially after what Monokuma told us yesterday about a murder being planned.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You do not want the group to panic do you?

 

Hikari: {Sad} No, I…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Then let us handle it… we shall find her, she simply cannot have just disappeared…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} It will all be fine.

 

I hadn’t seen Reijiro get so… confident in some time. Judging by Hikari’s expression, I think he’s convinced her.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} F-Fine, I’ll let you do this quietly… but if you still haven’t found her by tonight then I’ll tell everyone! They deserve to know that one of us might be…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Dead? Nonsense. Nobody’s dead. We will find her.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Yes… There is absolutely nothing to worry about.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} You…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, I see.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} I’ll be quiet… but you bet your ass that if you come back to me empty handed, I’ll act accordingly!

 

Fusume: {Confident} We wouldn’t expect anything else from you Hikari.

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Very well, come find me when you’ve found her… I’ll be expecting you.

 

Fusume: {Confident} We… we won’t disappoint you.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} This isn’t about me… it’s about Oriana.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} As I said, I am sure she is just fine… there is nothing left for you to worry about.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Okay then…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… guess that I’ll go have breakfast then… {Leaves}

 

 

Reijiro: {Head down, glasses shining} This… does not sound good.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I know… I just hope that nothing bad happened to her.

 

Hayato: Wait what? I thought you guys said that there was nothing to worry about?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} And you bought that?

 

Hayato: Well… yeah?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato, the fact that Oriana’s just vanished can’t mean anything good.

 

Hayato: You think she could… be dead?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} It is not wise to comment on such thing before we are certain… however the possibility does exist yes.

 

Hayato: No way…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} People do not just disappear… and there is no reason for that girl to have left the room she was sleeping in… especially after how scared you say she was last night.

 

Hayato: Maybe she just went back to her room!

 

Reijiro: I thought you said she was locked out…

 

Hayato: Well uh… maybe Monokuma unlocked it, he said he would after all.   

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} But then why would Oriana not just answer the door when Hikari knocked?

 

Hayato: That’s uh… I don’t know.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} She wasn’t in her room Hayato… it’s not easy to accept but you must understand that.

 

Hayato: Then… where is she?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} This is the question we must answer as soon as possible…

 

 

Oriana… I just hope that you’re okay…

 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Reijiro… shall we go investigate before the others get here?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… that seems reasonable… let us get going.

 

Hayato: Hey! What about me?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} You? Well, why don’t you greet the others when they arrive and tell them that there’s no morning announcement and that we just left.

 

Hayato: Hm, okay then…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Do be careful not to raise any suspicions… think you can do that?

 

Hayato: Yeah, I’ll manage…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Just give the speech I usually give… tell them to trust each other and so on, you know the drill. We want to keep the spirits as high as possible.

 

Hayato: Yeah, of course…

 

Fusume: {Content} Very well. I guess we’ll see you later Hayato.

 

Hayato: Just keep me posted if you find her please…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… take this.

 

Reijiro handed to me his walkie-talkie.

 

Hayato: Huh? You’re giving me this?

 

Reijiro. {Condescending look} Why of course, this is for me to communicate with the two of you yes?

 

Hayato: I guess so?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Then there is no point in me holding on to it today… you shall have more use for this than I will…

 

Hayato: Okay…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Try not to break it… I would like to get it back intact tonight.

 

Fusume: {Happy} Perfect! We will reach out to you if we have any news during the day Hayato!

 

Fusume: {Confident} I told you that these would come handy!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Let us not waste any more time.

 

Fusume: Very well, see you later Hayato!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Oh and if you see my partner… tell her to either stay in her room or with another pair… she should not stay alone.

 

Hayato: Okay, I’ll tell her that then.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} You see… you can be useful when you try… {Leaves}

 

Fusume: {Meditating} … {Leaves}

 

If there’s anybody who can find where Oriana is, it’s these two… I guess I can’t do anything but to trust they’ll do their best.

 

It’s getting closer and closer to the time we’d usually meet at, the others shouldn’t take too long to arrive now.

 

 

And just as I predicted, in no time…

 

{Most of the group are in the restaurant}

 

The room was full of people.

 

 

And Oriana was still nowhere to be seen.

 

Hikari: {Sad} …

 

Dammit… I was hoping she’d just show up with some explanation… I guess it can’t be that simple huh.

 

Jessie {Thumbs up} Добрай раніцы everyone!

 

Rina: {Poking cheek, playful} Good morning Jessie.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Wait a second… did Rina just acknowledge someone?

 

Rina: {Annoyed} I said good morning, the hell’s wrong with that?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} It just don’t seem like something you’d do…

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} Ayt then, sorry for trying to be nice with you guys…

 

Hayato: No, Rina! We appreciate it-

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Save it. I’m done with this conversation.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Where are you going?

 

Rina: {Yawns} My room… I am gonna take a nap I think and then-

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Ugh, it’s none of you guys’ business.

 

She grabbed a pack of biscuits from the buffet and left.

 

I didn’t have time to tell her what Reijiro was up to… I guess it’s fine as long as she stays in her room.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} You’re such an idiot Kenji… you just had to ruin it for her didn’t you?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} I was just asking, don’t blame this shit on me.

 

Yoshi: {Poses} Methinks you oughta keep yo’ mouth shut up next time…

 

Kenji: {Furious} The fuck did you say freak show?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Calm down Kenji please!

 

Kenji: {Furious} I want that bastard to apologize

 

Yoshi: Well that ain’t happenin’!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Guys!

 

Everybody suddenly went quiet.

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Let’s not make a big deal about this yeah?

 

Hayato: Hikari…?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} We’ve literally not argued in the past few days… doesn’t that feel much better than always fighting like that?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Let’s get along… please.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} After all these stupid motives… I don’t want us to argue!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} You think that just cuz we’re having a scuffle we’re suddenly gonna kill each other?

 

Hikari: {Sad} I just don’t want to take the risk…

 

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Wait.

 

Hayato: Huh?

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} Tadao?

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} The eye… has warned me…

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Um… what?

 

Tadao: {Looks away} Where are Fusume and Reijiro?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} W-What?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Have none of you realised that neither of them are here right now?

 

Jessie: {Surprised} Mein gott! You’re right…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Now that you mention it… it’s really weird… they’d never miss a breakfast meeting like this…

 

Yoko: The two of them usually run these meetings… so why are they missing?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} If it was just one of them then maybe this is a coincidence…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} But them both? Nah, I don’t buy it.

 

Oh no… they’re starting to suspect that something is up… just like Reijiro had predicted.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Could the two of them be planning something…? Maybe that’s why they’re gone.

 

Jessie: {Scared} Planning? As in…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} No! That makes no sense, the two of them aren't paired together, they can’t be planning a murder.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I guess you’re right…

 

Yoko: {Fanning herself} Still, it’s pretty suspicious that neither of them are here and that they didn’t tell any of us about it.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I’m… I’m sure they have a good reason, yeah that’s it… they’re doing something to help us… it can’t be anything other than that.

 

Tadao: {Sombre} How very… naive.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Wait a second, hey Hayato!

 

Hayato: Uh… yes?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You know where they are right?

 

How… how does he know?

 

Hayato: Um… what do you mean? Why me?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Fusume’s your partner… if anyone was to know where she was it’s you… am I wrong?

 

Hayato: Well um…

 

Dammit! I’m really bad at lying under pressure… he’s gonna see right through me.

 

Hayato: You see-

 

Jessie: {Panicked} Сачекајте тренутак! Where… where is Oriana-chan?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} W-What?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Oh my… you’re right, she’s absent as well.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} So many people are missing… what the fuck is going on?

 

Tadao: The eye is formal… this is no coincidence.

 

This is bad… what do I do in this situation?

 

Yoko: {Blank expression} These guys have never missed a single meeting… so why would all three of them just go missing like that?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Hayato!

 

Hayato: A-ah! Yes…?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I’m not the Ultimate Detective but I can tell a liar when I see one, you know more than you’re telling us…

 

Kenji: {Furious} So fucking tell us what’s going on! RIGHT NOW!

 

Hayato: I… I…

 

I gave Fusume my word that I wouldn’t tell people about Oriana’s disappearance… what do I do…? what do I do…?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Hold on!

 

Hikari?

 

Hikari: {Smile} Maybe you guys are just worrying for nothing you know?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Knowing Fusume and Reijiro, they’re probably off investigating for some reason…

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} And Oriana could simply just be asleep! It’s only 8 in the morning, there’s no need to panic!

 

 

Jessie: {Searches through backpack} Huh… you could be right… maybe we’re jumping the gun on this one.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} I told you that there was no need to worry! Everything’s gonna be fine.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Still man… it’s weird that they didn’t warn us that they’d be gone.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Wait, am I the only one to realise how stupid this sounds?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} What… do you mean?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Sure, I didn’t know her too well, but even an idiot would realise how important punctuality is to Oriana… she wouldn’t just oversleep like that.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} She’d never do something so out of character… I’m sure of it.

 

Hikari: {Sad} I… uh…

 

We’re gonna get discovered pretty soon if I don’t intervene, I have to say something

 

Hayato: Guys seriously, there’s no need in overreacting before we know for sure that something is wrong.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What… what do you mean man?

 

Hayato: I’m just saying that the possibility that she’s just in her room and is running a bit late exists…

 

Hayato: That means that there’s actually nothing to panic about-

 

Monokuma: {Appears} Actually, it doesn’t exist.

 

Hayato: What??

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} The hell are you doing here?

 

Monokuma: {Neutral expression} Just here to call out those of you who’re fibbing at the moment.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} What… what do you mean by that?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} You of all people have no rights to be surprised Hikari!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} What?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} You know damn well that there is no way for Oriana to be in her room! She locked herself out of it last night! Remember?

 

Hikari: I… I…

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} You… you knew about this Hikari?

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Why didn’t you tell us?

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} But… if Oriana-chan’s not in her room then where is she?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Oh I can’t tell you that… but I can definitely tell you where she is supposed to be.

 

Oh no.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} N-No don’t…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} And that’s in Hikari Hisano’s room! That’s 100% her last known location!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} In… Hikari’s room?

 

Yoshi: {Shocked} WHAAAAAAAAA, Two gals be sleepin’ together???

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} It obviously wasn’t like that… I just told her she could sleep over because she was locked out of her room…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} And why the hell did you think it was a good idea to hide it from us?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Seeing from the way you’re reacting… I think it’s pretty self explanatory.

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} But… she wasn’t in your room this morning was she? You would have told us if she was…

 

Hikari: I… I…

 

She can’t hold on much longer… I have to do something… I have to-

 

Hikari: {Sad} You’re right

 

N-no.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Oriana was locked out of her room last night, I told her she could sleep over… but this morning she’d vanished.

 

And the beans have been spilled.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} V-Vanished?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} W-Where the hell could she be man…?

 

Yoshi: {Shocked} She… can’t be dead… she be my partner…

 

Yoko: {Blank expression} We’d know if she was dead…

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Not necessarily.

 

Kenji: {Furious} BEAR! Tell us where she fucking is!

 

Monokuma: {Surprised} Me? Why should I know?

 

Kôzuke: You literally just told us you had eyes and ears everywhere man!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Oh I did say that, whoops I do know where she is upupu.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Then tell us! I’m getting worried over here.

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Ummmm, not my problem. Alls you gotta know is that she’s somewhere on the resort upupu! Now it’s up to you to find her!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Wait! You have to tell us more!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I don’t have to tell you anything! Now, happy hunting! {Leaves}

 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} The motherfucker didn’t even tell us if she was alive or not… there’s a criminal among us let’s not forget… we have to find her.

 

Kenji: {Furious} WE HAVE TO FIND HER ASAP! {Leaves}

 

Hikari: {Sad} N-No, don’t leave, we won’t achieve anything if we panic-

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Wait for me big guy. We have to stay paired up y’know {Leaves}

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Please…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Yoko hold on! It might not be safe for you to go! {Leaves}

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Shinto-kun wait for moiiii! {Leaves} 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Why is no one listening to me!

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} I have to find her… she can’t die… {Leaves}

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} I wonder… {Leaves}

 

 

And just like that mostly everyone had left to go rescue Oriana, precisely what Fusume and Reijiro wanted to avoid… all this because Monokuma had to come and ruin it all for us.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hikari… are you okay?

 

Hikari: {Snarls with angry expression} Leave me alone! Go back in your room!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} I… I… I… s-sorry. {Leaves}

 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Everybody is leaving me…

 

Hayato: Hikari…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Don’t say it. You think I messed up by telling them huh?

 

Hayato: N-No, of course I don’t think that.

 

Hikari: {Shocked} What?

 

She really doesn’t get me does she?

 

Hayato: I saw what happened Hikari, you had no choice but to tell them.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} It… it was all Monokuma’s fault, why did he have to come and…

 

Hayato: I know… this isn’t on you Hikari.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Fusume and Reijiro are going to be angry at me.

 

Hayato: I’ll explain the situation to them, I’ll tell them that it wasn’t your fault.

 

Hikari: {Sad} You’d really do that for me?

 

Hayato: Of course I would, you’re really important to me Hikari, don’t you get that?

 

Hayato: And you know what, you should think of the positive. With everyone looking, we’ll definitely find Oriana!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… I… um…

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Thank you Hayato. I won’t forget this.

 

Hayato: It’s normal.

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I… I think I better go search with the others.

 

Hikari: {Blushes} I guess I’ll see you later. {Leaves}

 

 

I think I managed to reassure her. This is definitely not what we had planned but at the end of the day it’s really not dramatic. I know Oriana has to be somewhere and with everybody looking for her we’ll definitely find her in no time.

 

I mean I say “we” but I think the first thing I’m gonna do is take a nap. I’m still exhausted from how little I managed to sleep last night… I’m sure no one will notice if I show up a little later.

 

Right?

 

 

Without a second thought I went back to my room and fell asleep almost immediately.

 

{Auto-Move to Hayato’s room} 

 

 

 

 

* Yawn* Gosh do I feel better… This whole missing bullets business kept me from resting last night, I needed this.

 

It’s already 11 AM, that means the others had almost three hours to look for Oriana…

 

There’s no point in just staying here, I should find something useful to do with the day.

 

{Free time starts}

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Move to Black Building - 2nd Floor}

 

{Move to Library}

 

{Shinto and Jessie are here}

 

{Talk to Shinto}

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Oh, good day to you Hayato, Jessie and I got tired of running around so we decided to come here for a rest.

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} I mean she kinda stopped paying attention to me since she started to geek out with language books so you know…

 

Do I want to spend time with Shinto

 

{Yes/No}

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, pointing finger} Really? Oh I’d love to hang with you, I’m like super bored!

 

I spent the rest of the morning chatting with Shinto, we both decided to stay in the library and let the others investigate. He says that he’s been looking for Oriana all morning and that he wanted some quiet time and I… yeah, I might have lied to him but it’s okay, he doesn’t need to know that I was napping since breakfast.

 

Either way, it was nice to hang out with Shinto, he’s a really cool guy.

 

I think we got a little closer.

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Say Hayato… do you think I worry too much?

 

Hayato: You? Hm, I don’t think so… why do you ask?

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} I don’t know… I just feel like I’m always stressing the small things… especially since we’ve been at the resort.

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} I wanted to know your opinion on that!

 

Gosh… do I look like a psychiatrist or something? What do I know about this kind of stuff…

 

Hayato: Well, hm, I haven’t really noticed anything about the way you’ve been acting, I think you’re alright.

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} Hm, I see… I guess I must be imagining stuff then.

 

Shinto: I just… uh… oh nevermind it doesn’t matter.

 

Hayato: Just tell me, it’s fine, I’m sure you’ll feel better if you talk about it.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Yeah, you’re probably right…

 

Huh… actually maybe I am pretty good at this psychiatry stuff.

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Well, maybe you didn’t notice but I’ve been super worried lately…

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} About Yoko, mostly.

 

Hayato: Huh, I see… I mean it does make sense for you to worry about her, she is your girlfriend after all.

 

Shinto: {Sad} I know but… the way I worry, it’s not just like… I don’t want her to be hurt you know.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I mean, obviously I want her to be safe, but that’s not what worries me the most!

 

Hayato: No? Then what is it?

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} It’s… it’s…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} It’s when she talks to other guys!

 

Hayato: Wait what?

 

Shinto: {Sad} I know what you’re thinking, Don’t say it…

 

Hayato: You’re jealous?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I asked you not to say it!

 

Well that’s a turn of event if I’ve ever seen one.

 

Hayato: There’s no shame in getting jealous Shinto, everyone’s been jealous at some point… you shouldn’t feel bad about it.

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} I know, it’s just that you know…

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Yoko is supposed to be the jealous one in the couple.

 

Shinto: She’s the one who gets pissed off whenever I even look at someone other than her…

 

It’s true… she doesn’t usually take that kind of stuff too well.

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} It’s always been annoying to me… that she’s so controlling and jealous…

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} But now, I’m starting to feel the same way… and it’s scaring me!

 

Hayato: Scaring you? How so?

 

Shinto: Well you know, she won’t take it well if I start acting with her the way she does with me.

 

Hayato: I mean… if that’s how you truly feel then you should just tell her about it.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Yoko doesn’t really take criticism really well… that’s the problem.

 

Again… hearing that doesn’t surprise me too much

 

Shinto: I can’t let these feelings take the better of me… I just don’t know what to do!

 

Hayato: I mean, maybe you should try to put these kind of thoughts aside for a little bit and think of the good parts of your relationship.

 

Shinto: {Sad} L-like what?

 

Do I seriously have to spell it out for him? Let me try to remember what I’ve heard from them.

 

Hayato: Maybe think of stuff you like doing together like for example :

    1. Scuba diving
    2. Stargazing
    3. Shopping

 

Hayato: You guys like stargazing right?

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Hey, you’re right! That is one of our favorite activities.

 

Hayato: And guess what, you have the perfect place to stargaze in this resort, just take her to the observatory and focus on the good things.

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} I… I…

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} You’re probably right… I shouldn’t stress about it too much, after all we’re the Ultimate Couple, we shouldn’t just argue about stupid things.

 

Hayato: Exactly, you love her and she loves you, you should remember that before you get jealous… she chose you and only you.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I was dumb to worry about it…

 

Hayato: No, you’re not dumb, I can definitely understand why it’s scary to you. Just try to put the fear aside and enjoy the good things of our relationship.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Hm… I feel so much better now that we’ve talked! You should become a therapist or something Hayato, you’re really good at this!

 

Hayato: Just don’t hesitate to come talk to me if you have any more issues like this.

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} I definitely will! Thank you!

 

 

So um, turns out I’m a genius at solving relationship problems. Quite surprising considering I’ve never even come close to getting a girlfriend.

Still, I like Shinto and I’m glad I can help him and his confidence issues. I should probably try to talk to Yoko about it sometime soon.

I understand Shinto a bit better.

 

{Shinto’s report card has been updated based on your experience with him}

 

I spent some more time discussing less personal issues with Shinto before he started feeling guilty and he left with Jessie to look for Oriana so more. With all this man power we’ll definitely find her, she can’t have disappeared.

 

Maybe I should stop being a lazy bum and get to work myself…

 

 

Welllll, it’s almost lunch time, I’ll investigate once I’ve eaten. For now I should go back to my room to get ready.

 

{Auto-Move to Hayato’s room} 

 

 

Well then, enough lying around, I’m going to the restaurant, hopefully someone will have an update on the whole Oriana situation!

 

{Move to Room Hallway}

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor}

 

{Move to Restaurant}

 

{Scene opens on restaurant, only Fusume is present}

 

Huh? It’s almost 1 PM, normally the restaurant is full at this time, where is everyone?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’re here.

 

Hayato: Oh uh…  hi Fusume.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Want to explain to me why everybody is aware of Oriana’s disappearance?

 

Hayato: I’m guessing that means that you and Reijiro didn’t find her huh?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You are not answering my question.

 

Hayato: I… I can explain!

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} I am waiting…

 

Hayato: Well uh, it’s a complicated story. But it wasn’t our fault! We had no other choice but to tell them.

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} I want you to tell me everything that happened this morning.

 

Hayato: O-Okay, well it all started when-

 

Fusume: {Index finger covering mouth} Wait. Reijiro will want to hear this.

 

Hayato: Reijiro?

 

She suddenly pulled out the walkie talkie she’d shown me yesterday out of her pocket. She pressed a few buttons and:

 

Reijiro: {Over speaker} Yes, I copy.

 

Fusume: Reijiro, Hayato is here, he claims to have an explanation for the leaking of our conversation this morning.

 

Reijiro: {Over speaker} You… you irresponsible, incompetent little brat! This information was supposed to stay between the four of us!

 

Reijiro: {Over speaker} Look what you have done! Now everybody knows, they are interfering with our quiet investigation and soon enough, they will give in to panic.

 

Reijiro: {Over speaker} Is this what you wanted!?

 

Hayato: N-No… I’m sorry, I…

 

Reijiro: {Over the speaker} I am not interested in your apologies, tell me what happened. NOW!

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} It’s now or never Hayato, speak.

 

 

I resumed the morning’s events to Fusume and Reijiro, from everybody’s suspicions to Monokuma confirming it all.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hm, I see… so it is Monokuma who’s to blame for all this.

 

Reijiro: {Over speaker} Still, the two of you could have held your tongues! There was no need in confirming the bear’s allegations!

 

Hayato: Reijiro… we had no choice, Hikari just cracked under the pressure.

 

Reijiro: {Over speaker} Very well… at the very least I am now aware of how untrustworthy the both of you are.

 

Fusume: {Confident} There is no point in being so aggressive… I can imagine just how hard it must have been.

 

Reijiro: {Over speaker} No matter, I will now attempt to fix this mess, I shall keep on looking for the ballerina’s location. Will call if I get anything.

 

Fusume: Sounds good to me, I’ll keep an eye on Hayato while you do that.

 

Keep an eye on me? What for?

 

Reijiro: {Over speaker} I will attempt to calm down those of us who are panicking about this whole ordeal… I expect you to do the same.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I will, I’ll also make sure that anyone that finds any sort of clue on Oriana’s whereabouts reports to me.

 

Reijiro: {Over speaker} Mmph, I will tell those who I encounter to do the same.

 

So everybody’s to report to Fusume… I guess it makes sense.

 

Fusume: {Blushing} It all sounds perfect… good luck Reijiro.

 

Reijiro: {Over speaker} Farewell.

 

The light on the walkie talkie turned off, I’m guessing the communication is over.

 

 

 

 

Why is she not saying anything? Maybe I should…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Save it. I do not want to hear your excuses.

 

Hayato: Huh?

 

I hadn’t even started to speak!

 

Fusume: Because of you and Hikari… the plan Reijiro and I were hoping for has gone astray… I hope you are aware of that.

 

Hayato: I said I was sorry.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} You are here at the restaurant… I assume you came to have lunch.

 

Hayato: Why yes… it’s lunchtime so I thought that-

 

Fusume: As I expected… you really disappoint me Hayato.

 

Hayato: W-What did I do now?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Do you not wonder why nobody else is here in the restaurant?

 

Hayato: Well um…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} They are all desperately looking for Oriana! In an attempt to find her they’re even giving up their lunch break!

 

They are?

 

Hayato: But then why are you here?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Is is not obvious? I just knew I would find you here…

 

Hayato: You… did?

 

Fusume: I just knew you would be here instead of helping the group.

 

Hayato: That’s not what it's like! I just didn’t know.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Well you would have known if you had helped this morning instead of just doing nothing!

 

Hayato: But… but… wait!

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} So if that’s all you’re interested in, go ahead! Eat!

 

Fusume: I’m going to go tell people what to do to search efficiently while you have lunch here by yourself!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’ll be back soon, hopefully you’ll have reflected on your actions by that time.

 

Hayato: Fusume wait! I’ll help! I’m sorry

 

Fusume: It is too late to be sorry Hayato… {Leaves}

 

What… what the hell! Why did she say all those things?

 

Why?

 

 

 

 

I ate in silence, desperately waiting for Fusume to come back.

 

The more I waited, the more I realised… maybe she was right. I have been acting lazy all morning even though one of us could be…

 

No. I won’t even fathom the possibility, Oriana is not dead, she just can’t be. She just got lost or something. That’s the only thing I can think of…

 

She’s not dead.

 

I won’t believe it.

 

 

Around half an hour later, Fusume finally came back to deliver me from the thoughts that haunted me.

 

Hayato: Hey.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} … Hello.

 

Hayato: So um… did you manage to fix the problem?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} In a way…

 

Hayato: Tell me more about it then!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Before I do… I would like to apologize for what I said earlier.  

 

Hayato: No. Don’t, you’re right. I acted like a child this morning… but now I’m determined to find her!

 

Hayato: Just tell me what I have to do and I’ll do it.

 

Fusume: {Smiles} I sure am glad to see that my little lecture made you have such a change of heart…

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Still, despite your immature behaviour, Reijiro and I were tough on you. This is not the way a leader should behave.

 

Hayato: If you say so… well it’s all forgiven on my side, I needed that wakeup call.

 

Fusume: {Smiles} Good to hear.

 

I’m happy if we can move on from this, I don’t want to have to argue with her and Reijiro…

 

Hayato: Now that this is sorted, let’s talk about Oriana. What did you tell everyone just then?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Well, I ran past most of the group. The majority of them were a lot calmer than I expected, they’re just determined to find her without panicking. That is good.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Well, Kenji and Yoko pretty certain that Caspian kidnapped her so I had to reassure them a little…

 

Hayato: Kidnapped her?

 

Fusume: Well, in all fairness, they have a point. The Caped Kidnapper is one of us… and a member of the group suddenly goes missing. It is easy to link two and two together.

 

I hadn’t even thought of that possibility myself… Caspian huh…

 

{Flashback} 

 

{A page of the file is seen, in the center of it a picture of a silhouette with a question mark covering it. The heading reads : Caspian, “The Caped Kidnapper to replace a student of class 80!”}

 

 

The caped kidnapper?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Ngh… this cannot be…

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

From what they told me, he only kidnaps bad guys, there’s no way he did anything to Oriana. It would go completely against his way of doing things…

 

Hayato: Tell me Fusume… do you think that Caspian could really have kidnapped her?

 

Fusume: {Meditative} Hm… it is quite hard to say… it seems unlikely for the caped kidnapper to change his methods like this… but I cannot rule it out completely.

 

Hayato: Yeah… I just hope that she’s okay…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Sadly, the more time goes without us finding her, the least likely that is…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Either way, you’re right… we should keep hoping until we find her.

 

She has a point, with most of us looking for her, the fact that she still hasn’t appeared doesn’t make our chances of finding her sound too positive… She has to be somewhere dammit!

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Where was I…? Oh right.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I managed to talk to most people… that is everyone except for Tadao, Raiko, Rina… and Oriana obviously.

 

Tadao and Raiko are understandable and Rina… I’m guessing she’s still in her room after she got upset earlier today.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} As I said, I managed to calm everyone down to make sure that we all work productively.

 

Hayato: That sounds like a great plan! What do I do?

 

Fusume: {Confident} You stay right here with me.

 

Hayato: Wait… what?

 

Fusume: You heard me… I asked everyone to come to the restaurant if they had anything to report to me.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} That means I have to stay right here available if somebody makes a discovery.

 

Hayato: I mean, that makes sense but why do I have to stay with you?

 

Fusume: {Confident} It’s not because we have a bit of a situation that we’re breaking the buddy system! I heavily encouraged the group to stay in their pairs.

 

Fusume: Therefore we should lead by example and remain in our pair for the day.

 

Hayato: Oh… okay I see…

 

Hayato: But what about making myself useful and all that?

 

Fusume: {Smiles} You will have plenty of use by staying with me… thanks to you I will not be as bored!

 

Is that all I’m good for? Distracting her…?

 

Hayato: I guess I have no choice huh?

 

Fusume: {Confident} You do not, it is boring but someone has to stay behind to supervise everyone.

 

Hayato: Fair enough…

 

 

Hayato: So um what do we do now?

 

Fusume: {Smiles} We wait.

 

 

 

 

And so we waited… for what felt like hours on end. At times we’d chat, At times we’d stay silent.

 

Nobody came by for the first hour and as time passed, us staying here felt more and more useless.

 

Hayato: Hey Fusume, nobody’s coming to ask for our help. Are you sure that our presence here is useful?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Be patient Hayato, we’re staying here until the end of the day whether it pleases us or not.

 

The end of the day??? Oh god this is going to be long…

 

Fusume: {Smiles} You look particularly happy to spend such a long period of time with me Hayato…

 

Hayato: The problem is not spending time with you… I quite like spending time with you, it’s just sitting here all this time without doing anything. It seems tedious.

 

Fusume: Fair enough… Well then, let us discuss something… anything you want! Maybe it’ll keep you entertained-

 

???: Howdy y’all!

 

That voice, it’s gotta be…

 

Yoshi: {Bows} The Yosh’ be greetin’ y’all.

 

Hayato: Finally, someone’s showing up!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yoshi! You’re here! Does that mean you found anything to help us find Oriana?

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Music box? Oh no. I’m leavin’ the investigatin’ up to the smart peeps.

 

Hayato: What?

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} I mean, I looked around I did… but I ain’t be findin’ nothin’. So I wanna change my mind… Imma go to the workout room and practice tightrope walkin’

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’re going to practice… when your partner could be in danger?

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Hey, don’t be blamin’ me. Music box and I promised we’d be stayin’ safe! I trust her, she’ll be ayt!

 

Fusume: She’d have more chances of being safe if you didn’t just give up like that.

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} I…

 

Yoshi: {Poses} I ain’t givin’ up… I’m just takin’ a little break that be all. I’ll be investigatin’ some more later in the day if ya want.

 

Fusume: {Confident} It seems a wise idea.

 

Yoshi: {Flips hair} Okidoki, I finna be back later… for now I be headin’ downstairs. Come get me if y’all need anything yeah?

 

Hayato: Sure thing Yoshi…

 


Yoshi: {Bows} Asta la vista peeps! {Leaves}

 

We watched him hop out of the room and run down the stairs towards the workout room.

 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Looks like you are not the only one who cannot be bothered with investigating…

 

Hayato: It’s kinda weird, Oriana’s his partner, if she’s dead he’s getting punished. I would have expected him to panic a bit more.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Truth is I am not sure that he is fully aware of what is going on. It’s probably better to let him be…

 

Hayato: Yeah, at least we know that somebody’s nearby in case of an emergency.

 

Fusume: There will be no emergency… we will not need his help.

 

Hayato: Oh okay…

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Now what were we up to?

 

Hayato: Well um… nothing?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Oh, I see…

 

 

And so we sat in silence again for at least another hour or so… I’ve stared at every wall in this restaurant for so long I probably could describe them all perfectly.

 

Still… nobody came by asking for help, I guess it means we still don’t know where Oriana is.

 

There’s nothing we can do other than just wait patiently…

 

 

Fusume: Okay… even I am starting to get bored of this. It’s only 2 PM, we still have a long time to wait.

 

Hayato: Well, what do you want to talk about?

 

Fusume: {Happy} Let’s talk about the pairings… have you noticed how everybody’s getting along quite well with their partner… despite what I would have originally thought.

 

Hayato: It’s true that some of the pairs didn’t seem to be destined to work. But at the end of the day it all seemed to go pretty okay.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Let’s see. I am not quite sure what is up with Raiko and Tadao but they seem to go quite well with each other.

 

Hayato: Yeah, I guess…

 

The two weirdos definitely make a good pair.

 

Fusume: Then, Kôzuke and Hikari… she is probably a little bit too strong willed for him but still, I think they get along.

 

Hayato: Well, he’s the type of guy not to question her, she likes that.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Even though he did not seem that bothered about her disappearance earlier, Yoshi and Oriana were really happy to be paired up.

 

Hayato: The two performers in the group… it seems like a match made in heaven.

 

Fusume: Hm… Kenji and Yoko surprised me, I expected them to butt heads all the time…

 

Hayato: Well, they do… but it seems more playful than anything else.

 

Fusume: {Smiles} I’m glad that they managed to put their tensions to the side!

 

Hayato: I won’t say that Shinto and Jessie getting along is much of a surprise on the other hand… these two are the two most positive people here.

 

Fusume: We need people like them in a group like ours… they are those who keep the others going.

 

Hayato: Who’s left… well, Reijiro and Rina didn’t go as bad as I expected.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Indeed, they are probably the pair that gets along the worse but still… it’s nothing too bad.

 

Hayato: And finally, there’s us. The dream team!

 

Fusume: {Smiles} Well, I have to admit we do make quite a good team Haya-

 

And that’s when it happened. We were finally getting distracted and yet… it had to happen. Our peace had to be ruined.

 

 

The light on the walkie talkie turned on.

 

Hayato: Hey! That means somebody’s trying to talk to us right.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes, Reijiro probably has some information for us! Maybe they found Oriana.

 

Hayato: Oh my god! Answer his call quick!

 

And so she pressed the red button on the device and what we heard… nothing could have prepared for that.

 

*Click*

 

Rina: {Over speaker} Help… HELP ME!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Rina? Is that you? How did you get access to Reijiro’s walkie talkie?

 

Rina: {Over speaker} Fusume oh thank god, you have to help me. There’s… there’s…

 

Fusume: What’s happening Rina! Tell us!

 

Rina: {Over speaker} There’s a body in the room with me!

 

Wait…

 

Hayato: WHAAAAT?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} A body… no… that’s simply impossible.

 

I… I can’t believe what I'm hearing… this has got to be some kind of joke. There’s no way that somebody’s dead!

 

Hayato: Rina! Who’s body is it?

 

Rina: {Over speaker} I… I…

 

Fusume: Tell us! Quickly!

 

Rina: {Over speaker} There’s blood everywhere… I’m all alone… please help me.

 

Hayato: WHOSE BODY IS IT!?

 

Fusume: She won’t answer under pressure Hayato there’s no point!

 

Fusume: Rina, can you tell us where you are?

 

Rina: {Over speaker} I’m in the m-music room…

 

Hayato: Okay we’ll be there in a second! Hang on Rina we’re coming.

 

Rina: {Over speaker} I… I…

 

*Click*

 

The call ended

 

Fusume: {Hurt} …

 

I won’t accept it, there’s no way that there’s actually a body in the music room! I need to check… I need to make sure. I need to make sure. I need to make sure!!!

 

Hayato: Come on Fusume, let’s move! We need to go to the music room!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Wait. Just wait a second.

 

Hayato: What the hell do you mean wait!? A life could be on the line here, we’ve got no time to lose.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Hayato, please… I need to think…

 

Hayato: God dammit, there is no time to think! Let’s go!

 

I grabbed her arm and tried pulling her off her chair but she didn’t budge.

 

Hayato: Fusume please! Get ahold of yourself.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Something was off… about that phone call.

 

Hayato: What??

 

Fusume: {Dark look} There was something very strange in that phone call… I just cannot put my finger on what it was.

 

Hayato: You can put your finger wherever you want later. Right now we’re going and we’re figuring out what the hell happened in the music room. A life could be on the line!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No, we’re not doing that.

 

Hayato: W-What??

 

Fusume: Rushing is a bad idea in such a situation.

 

Hayato: What do you mean!? We have to rush dammit, she said there was a body in there!

 

Fusume: {Confident} I know what she said but trust me… I need to hear that phone call again.

 

Hayato: How are you going to do that?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} This device has a recording function, I just need to figure out how to make it work.

 

Hayato: Oh my goodness Fusume we do not have time for that! Let’s just go please!

 

Why is she wasting time like that? I don’t understand.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Should I remind you what happened last time you rushed like this? It ended up causing Fukami and Kyia’s deaths.

 

Hayato: Wh-what?

 

Fusume: If you had just took the time to think about your actions instead of running blindly, maybe they’d still be alive.

 

Hayato: That’s… that’s…

 

It’s not true… they’re deaths aren’t on me… why would she say something like that…?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I’ve been in situations like this dozens of times Hayato, I know what I’m doing. Now wait, we will go in a second.

 

Hayato: I…  fine.

 

She’s probably right, she knows better than me how to handle this type of situation. Still! There could be a dead body in that room, we have to get there asap.

 

 

And so, despite the adrenaline rush and my gut feeling that we should have run towards the music room… we waited. It was a minute, maybe two as Fusume tried to operate the walkie talkie.

 

Hayato: Fusume, please, we need to go.

 

Fusume: Shut up Hayato, let me concentrate on this… I’m telling you, I need to hear that phone call again.

 

I can’t take it any longer. I need to go… I need to go… I have to save them. I have to-

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Wait, the light turned on again.

 

Hayato: Another call?

 

She pressed the button and-

 

*CRASH*

 

 

*Click*

 

And just like that it turned off again.

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Rina… Rina can you hear me?

 

Fusume: RINA!

 

Hayato: Rina, answer us!

 

Nothing.

 

 

Fusume pressed the button multiple times, trying desperately to connect to the call again.

 

After about a minute of pressing buttons and screaming, we gave up.

 

Fusume: There’s no point, the communication is off…

 

Hayato: That loud sound… what the hell was that?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I… I don’t know.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Fine, let’s go. I’ll listen back on the phone call later…

 

Hayato: Wait, what made you change your mind?

 

Fusume: This second phone call could indicate that Rina’s in danger. We should get going.

 

Hayato: Thank you! Let’s go. Now!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It will all be okay, I know it… we should just make sure that nobody’s hurt.

 

Yeah… it has to be okay, there’s no way it’s not okay… even with this whole body thing…

 

Oh god, it’s not going to be okay is it?

 

We have to get to the music room.

 

Fusume: Let’s go Hayato, hurry.

 

 

Once we got out of the restaurant we heard loud footsteps coming from downstairs.

 

Hayato: What the hell is that now?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It sounds like someone running.

 

Someone running… it has to be-

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Yoshi?

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} The Yosh’ heard y’all screamin’. Is everythin’ gucci?

 

Hayato: No Yoshi, it’s not gucci, we might have an emergency in the yellow building.

 

Yoshi: {Surprised} Emergency? What kinda emergency…?

 

Fusume: No time to explain, just come with us.

 

Hayato: Wait, you sure you want him to come?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes, it will not hurt to have someone extra.

 

Hayato: Okay then I trust you, let’s just not waste any more time.

 

Yoshi: {Bows} The Yosh’ finna accompany y’all! No emergency oughta resist me!

 

Hayato: Let’s go then!

 

It’s all gonna be okay. I know it. I…

 

Fusume: Hayato, get a move on!

 

Hayato: Yes, I’m coming!

 

And so, joined by Yoshi, we came out the black building and started running towards the yellow building where the music room was situated.

 

{Camera shows Yoshi, Fusume and Hayato running outside,}

 

Yoshi: Careful y’all, we ain’t allowed to be steppin’ on the grass

 

Fusume: Argh, it’s 2 PM, you’re right, Monokuma’s stupid irrigation is going on.

 

Hayato: It’s fine guys, we can just use the pathway.

 

Fusume: Wait. What is that…

 

Yoshi: JESUS!

 

 

As we got closer to the yellow building… that’s when I saw… him.

 

No… No I simply won’t believe it.

 

{Camera zooms in to show just the arm of the victim it then slowly followed up his sleeve to the back of his head, covered in blood. The camera then zooms out to show the entire body of Reijiro Yamane}

 

R-R-R-Reijiro… It can’t be.

 

Yoshi: {Scared} What… the heck… this ain’t supposed to be happenin’...

 

Is he the body that Rina saw… No. Not Reijiro. Why…? Why…?

 

Hayato: WHYYYYYYYYYY?!

 

... 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} He… can’t be dead.

 

Hayato: N-No. I don’t want to believe it…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato. He can't be dead. 

 

Hayato: Huh?

 

Fusume: The body discovery announcement… it didn’t play.

 

Wait… she’s right… isn’t that thing supposed to play whenever three people discover a body?

 

But we are three… so that means.

 

Hayato: Oh my god! He’s still alive!

 

Yoshi: {Scared} Waaaa?

 

Fusume and I ran next to his body, she quickly put her fingers on his neck.

 

Fusume: A pulse! I have a pulse!

 

He’s alive?

 

Hayato: He’s alive!

 

Fusume: {Confident} He’s breathing Hayato! He’s breathing!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Phew… y’all scared me.

 

Fusume: Reijiro! Wake up!

 

She gently shook his shoulders until.

 

Reijiro: Argh… wh-where am I…

 

Fusume: {Happy} Reijiro! You’re okay!

 

She hugged him tightly.

 

Hayato: What happened to you!

 

Reijiro: {Holding head} I… I d-do not know… I was attacked… from behind.

 

Fusume: The important thing is that you are okay Reijiro. I was so scared for a second.

 

What a relief to see him-

 

Wait a second.

 

Oh no…

 

Hayato: Fusume… I don’t think that he’s the body that Rina was talking about.

 

Reijiro: {Holding head} The b-body… what are you… talking… about?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You… you’re right! Rina said the body was inside the music room with her!

 

Reijiro: {Glaring} What body? Explain… at once…

 

Yoshi: {Scared} A body?

 

Fusume: {Confident} We’ll explain it to you soon Reijiro… we have to hurry.

 

Fusume: Are you well enough for us to leave you? It’s an emergency.

 

Reijiro: {Holding head} I am fine… do what you must… I shall… try to get up slowly…

 

Yoshi: Want me to stay with ya?

 

Fusume: {Confident} No, Yoshi! You’re coming with us.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} I am? Oh… okay.

 

Fusume: We’ll be back soon Reijiro, get yourself to safety.

 

Reijiro: {Holding head} Very well… good luck with your emergency. Report back to me at once…

 

 

Hayato: Are you sure that it’s okay to leave Reijiro by himself?

 

Fusume: {Confident} His injuries are minimal, he just got hit in the back of the head… he’ll be fine. Getting to Rina is more urgent.

 

I’m glad she finally got a sense of how urgent it was… with all the delay since that phone call though… I just hope she’s safe.

 

Hayato: To the music room!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Hey! Wait for me y’all!

 

Reijiro’s okay… it’s all going to be fine… it just has to be.

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 1st floor}

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 2nd floor} 

 

Still running as fast as we could, we approached the music room door but when we tried to open it.

 

*Click*

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The music room door… it’s locked!

 

Hayato: What the hell? Why would anyone lock it?

 

Fusume: RINA! OPEN THE DOOR IT’S US!

 

No response.

 

Fusume knocked on the door furiously.

 

Fusume: RINA!

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Somebody oughta be in there right?

 

Fusume: Only one way to find out.

 

Fusume quickly crouched down and pressed her eye against the keyhole and when she did...

 

Fusume: {Shocked} AHHHHH!

 

Hayato: Fusume? What did you see?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} There was somebody’s eye… looking right back at me.

 

Yoshi: {Scared} What? That… it finna mean that somebody’s inside! Let me see.

 

Yoshi got on his knees and also looked through the keyhole.

 

Yoshi: Aw, the Yosh’ can’t see nothin’, it appears the key was put back in the hole.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I definitely saw an eye… someone was in there.

 

Hayato: What colour was that eye?

 

Fusume: It was dark brown… it has to be Rina.

 

She knocked on the door again.

 

Fusume: RINA OPEN! PLEASE!

 

Still nothing.

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} Whoever it be… they’re makin’ one hell of a scuffle.

 

Hayato: Yeah, judging from the noise, somebody’s definitely in that room.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It’s not just anyone, it’s Rina. I saw her eye in there.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} If ya say so…

 

Hayato: Either way, we need to get in… and if she won’t open then we have to force our way in.

 

Fusume: {Confident} You’re right, we have no other choice.

 

Fusume: RINA, WE’RE COMING IN!

 

Hayato: Everybody ready?

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Whenever ya want.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Okay you guys, on my signal.

 

Fusume: 1… 2… 3… Go!

 

And just like that the door gave in. One little push was enough to knock it down.

 

Yoshi: It opened!

 

The relief of opening that door faded almost immediately… once I saw what was inside, it was replaced by one strong, destructive emotion…  

 

From the moment we left the restaurant, all I wanted was for this to be some kind of misunderstanding. There couldn’t be a body… I didn’t want to accept it.

 

But this… this was so much worse.

 

 

The scene in front of me simply made no sense. I could not comprehend what I was seeing.

 

It was impossible… and yet I was seeing it… with my very eyes.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} We’re too late…

 

Yoshi: {Scared} WAAAAAAAAAAAA!

 

Fusume: It's my fault… what have I done...? 

 

I rubbed my eyes to check that they weren't deceiving me, hoping for some sort of miracle.

 

But nothing changed, the miracle never happened… obviously.

 

In front of me… I saw…

 

{The camera zooms in to show the music room’s grandfather clock had fallen over the victim who was lying against the far wall of the room. The camera then shows the victim’s right hand, a coffee cup had been spilled and the hand laid in a puddle of the brown liquid. The camera zooms out to to show the victim’s face, their throat having been slit, blood everywhere on their clothes. The whole body of Rina Ishido, the Ultimate Actress is now in view}

 

 

There was no doubt about it this time.

 

Rina was dead.

 

And slowly, as I started to digest this impossible sight… I understood.

 

The killing game was on… for a second time.

Notes:

And that happened! The killing game's third casualty is Rina, how truly tragic (pun intended) for her. I hope that it surprised some of you, I feel like she wasn't the first on anybody's death list so that's cool haha!

Anyway, now's your time to start trying to figure out who could have killed the ultimate actress! (and tried to kill Reijiro let's not forget about him) Theories and supscions as well as general feedback are very very appreciated so don't hesitate: drop a comment!

I'll try to start working on the investigation ASAP and get back to my every two week schedule.

Thanks again for sticking along, and I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

That's it from me! See you in the next one!

Chapter 21: Chapter 2 : A Gentle Melody for a Lost Soul : Deadly Life part 1

Notes:

It's time to start investigating this second murder! Who could have committed such a heinous crime!? Read on and find out!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

{The monitor in the music room turns on}

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

Monokuma: Attention ye bastards: You’ve finally done it! A body has been discovered! All surviving residents are kindly demanded to head to the Music Room. Following a brief time for investigation, the class trial will begin!

 

Monokuma: I’m proud of y’all… it only took three motives but I knew I could count on you!

 

{The monitor turns back off}

 

It just… makes no sense. As hard as I’m trying to understand what I’m seeing… This is quite clearly impossible to comprehend…

 

We talked to Rina only a few minutes ago… she was panicked after seeing a body but now… the only body here… it’s hers!

 

How could it be? How did someone kill her in such a short amount of time…?

 

No… the question I should be asking myself isn’t how… it’s who. Who did this to her?

 

We will find out eventually and when we do… that person will be punished accordingly.

 

I did not want to believe that it could have happened but it did. Once again, one of us has become a murderer. Someone I trusted betrayed us… and now I will find out who it was. For Rina’s sake… for all of our sakes.

 

Yoshi: {Scared} She… she’s…

 

Fusume walked up to the body.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} She has no pulse… we’ve come too late.

 

Yoshi: {Scared} I… I… ain’t feelin’ so well… The Yosh’ might be… uh…

 

Yoshi: {Screaming} WAAAAAAAAAA! {Leaves}

 

Yoshi left… probably to go puke somewhere. I won’t blame him. This is a rough sight.

 

{Closeup on Rina’s body}

 

Whoever did this to her… slit her throat pretty deep. Her entire dress is soaked in blood.

 

{Back to normal}

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} This is all my fault…

 

Hayato: What?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I thought something was up with her call… so I made us wait. If we’d come earlier… she probably would not have died…

 

Fusume: I even told you that it was because you rushed last time that Kyia died…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} How foolish of me… the truth is that I am not competent enough to keep us all safe… It is my fault. I will take the blame happily.

 

Hayato: Fusume…

 

She’s reacting exactly like Reijiro did when we first found Kyia’s body…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: There… There is no point in screaming… this is my fault, I have failed in protecting the group.

 

Kenji: {Furious} SHUT THE FUCK UP, THIS IS THE FAULT OF THE MOTHERFUCKER WHO KILLED HIM!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

I guess it’s normal for the leader to feel guilty but… Kenji was right back then. This is not Fusume’s fault.

 

Hayato: Fusume… you did what you thought was best, maybe you made a mistake in judgement but…

 

Hayato: The one who is to blame is whoever took her life. And I know for a fact that it’s not you.

 

Fusume: {Shocked} You… you do?

 

Hayato: Well obviously, you haven’t left my sight since lunch… and since we know that Rina was still alive a few minutes ago, I know that you’re innocent.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I… fair enough…

 

Fusume: {Confident} I believe this means we are each others alibis Hayato.

 

Hayato: Yup, it feels good to know there is at least one person here who I can trust.

 

Just like Kôzuke last time, I know for sure that Fusume cannot be the killer… that means that it has to be one of the other eleven people here… I have to find out who did this.

 

Fusume: {Confident} We should wait for everyone else to get here… then we can start investigating.

 

 

And so we waited for a couple minutes until…

 

Kenji: {Furious} I got here as fast as I could what the fuck happened-

 

Kenji: {Looking down} Oh… fuck’s sake… it’s happened again huh?

 

Jessie: {Scared} Mon dieu! Please tell me it’s not Oriana-chan…

 

Jessie: {Crying} Rina-chan? Who… who did this to her…?

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} N-not again…

 

Yoko: {Frightened} Gaaaaaahhh! So much… blood.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Fusume! Hayato! What the fuck happened here seriously?

 

Hayato: We don’t know we… we found her like that

 

Kenji: {Looking down} God dammit… I thought that nothing like this shit would happen after Kyia but… fuck.

 

Kenji: {Ripping shirt} I’LL FUCKING KILL WHOEVER IT WAS! I SWEAR I WILL!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Kenji! Why are you screaming? I heard the announcement and…

 

Kôzuke: {Horrified} NYAAAAAAH! There’s actually a body in here? W-why… why?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I am… sorry everyone… this is my fault.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} What do you mean your fault? You can’t possibly be saying that…

 

Fusume: {Hands covering face} No! Of course not! I… have just failed as a leader… and I apologize for that.

 

???: Will somebody explain at once what is going on here?

 

That voice… it’s

 

{Reijiro is seen entering the room, Hikari supporting him on her shoulder}

 

Fusume: Reijiro!

 

Reijiro: You talked about a body… I-

 

{Back to normal}

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Ggh…  How can this be?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Rina… I… I didn’t want it to happen again. I’m so sorry…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} When you talked about a body… I was expecting it to be the girl who disappeared earlier but… I do not understand how this could have happened…

 

It simply makes no sense… Oriana was missing and Rina claimed to have seen a body, it’s normal for us to assume that it was Oriana’s body that she found… so why is Rina dead? And moreover… where the hell is Oriana?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Rina… did not make it through it seems. Her soul will rest eternally with the eye now.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Man… now’s not the time for that kinda ominous stuff seriously.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I heard a body announcement, I hope this is no joke-

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Huh, so it’s Rina who died? How intriguing… it must mean that…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Yes, of course. This person must be the killer.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} W-What? You already know who the killer is? But you’ve just entered the room how could you…?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Of course I know who the killer is! It’s actually quite obvious to me from the scene of the crime…

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Don’t you wish you were as smart as I am, kyehehehehe!

 

Hayato: Raiko… you still find this amusing don’t you…?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Of course I do! I mean why wouldn’t I hehe…? This is so exhilarating! The fight between innocent and blackened, hope and despair! The real question is why don’t you guys find it fun…?

 

Yoko: {Cries} If… if you know who did this, then please… tell us! I don’t want to have to go through that class trial again.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} No can do. I don’t want to spoil the fun of the trial for any of us…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Either way, with the way it went last time, I’m sure you guys will figure out the truth eventually.

 

She looked straight at me when she said that… just because I got lucky last time with my guessing, she thinks I can figure this murder out again?

 

I guess I have no choice…

 

Kenji: {Furious} I’ll beat the info out of you, you fucking scumbag! You better tell me now before you get hurt!

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Hit me all you want Kenji… I hope you’re more patient than you let on though… I’ve been known to have a pretty high pain tolerance.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt} Y-You… you bitch!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Please… leute let’s not argue… I can’t take another fight…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I have to agree, we have to remain calm in times like these…

 

Reijiro?

 

Hayato: Just how… are you so composed right now?

 

Reijiro: Now is not the time to panic… we have to work in an orderly fashion.

 

Reijiro: {Sad} This is the only way out of this mess.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

Fusume: {Hurt} He’s right… we have no choice, there is very limited time for investigating… we have to get to it as fast as we can…

 

Jessie: {Crying} Rina-chan…

 

Kôzuke: {Horrified} Why… why did this have to happen again man…?

 

Kenji: {Looks down} They have a point.

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} Kenji?

 

Kenji: {Serious} This is tragic… fucking tragic… she didn’t deserve to go like this. Still, we have to focus on finding the killer.

 

Kenji: {Sad} We’ll have all the time in the world to mourn Rina once we’ve done that.

 

Yoko: {Tears} Kenji…

 

Shinto: {Looking to the floor} …

 

I definitely didn’t expect Kenji out of everyone to be so mature about this but… we can’t deny that he’s right. Our main priority has to be to find the… the bastard who did this to Rina.

 

 

Everyone is seemingly shaken… as usual, finding a dead body would shock even the toughest of people. Still, compared to last time, I feel like we’re reacting in a much more controlled manner.

 

It’s like we’re getting used to this…

 

 

No, I don’t want to get used to such a horrible feeling. It won’t happen again.  

 

This is the last time.

 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Very well, then let us all get to-

 

Monokuma: {Appears} Don’t you think you’re forgetting something?

 

Jessie: A-Ah! It’s you…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} It is me. Monokuma, first of his name.

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Congrats to you bastards, one of y’all has finally decided to commit murder!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Well, I say one of y’all, but it could be two of y’all… let’s not forget about that.

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} Two of us?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Did you forget already? With the double graduation motive it’s okay for a pair to collaborate on a murder.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} D-Dammit… I’d forgotten about that…

 

Hikari: {Sad} So it’s not just one of us this time… there’s two people who decided to do such a horrible thing…

 

Fusume: {Confident} We don’t know that for sure! It could simply be one person…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Sadly, both options are plausible.

 

Yoko: {Tearing up} Say Monokuma… did you do this to Rina?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Do you still not get it? When one of you winds up dead like that, it’s never me! I don’t interfere in the killing game that’s my main rule.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah sure…

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} Don’t believe me? I’ll even add it in the rules of the resort. That way you know I can’t cheat it.

 

I felt my Resident ID vibrate in my pocket but… I can’t be bothered to check what he did. I’ll have to take Monokuma’s word for it.

 

Monokuma: {Happy} I’m an honest bear! If I say that it’s one of you guys…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Then it’s definitely one of you guys…

 

Fusume: {Confident} We have to take his word for it… it would defeat the whole purpose of the killing game for the bear to be lying…

 

Hayato: I have to agree…

 

Hikari: {Sad} Hayato?

 

Hayato: As much as I don’t want to believe it… there is only one way to look at it: Rina was murdered by somebody here.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} I… I don’t want to believe that!

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Ignorance is bliss they say…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Shut up Raiko.

 

Kôzuke: {Hiding head in helmet} Ggh… why man…?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Well, I sure am glad y’all are accepting the inevitable… you’ll have to face another class trial upupu!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Remind me why you are still here?

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} Gah! You’re kinda scary when you look at me like this Reijiro!

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Seriously though Monokuma, give us your file and go away.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} A file? What file?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Do you guys ever actually pay attention to anything that happens here seriously?

 

Raiko: Try to remember what happened after we found our first body

 

{Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} What do you want now Monokuma, I thought you said you had nothing else to say.

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Well, I am a sensitive bear and when I heard y'all whining about not knowing how to handle the investigation, I thought I'd help a little bit!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Is that so?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} No dummy, I don’t care if you struggle! I just forgot to give you the Monokuma File! A crucial aspect of any good killing game!

 

Rina: The what now?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} The Monokuma File of course! It's nifty little document that gives you some technical information on the cause of death and the state of the body, stuff you lot wouldn't figure out by yourselves, and guess what, it's already in your resident IDs! You’re welcome!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Am I correct in assuming this is an autopsy report of sorts?

 

Monokuma: Yeah, kind of… But it's got my name in front of it which makes it about a quadrillion times cooler!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Raiko: {Hits cigarette} The only reason for his presence is this… He’s going to give us his Monokuma File.

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} That’s right… I remember him doing that.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Monokuma… is that why you’re here?

 

Monokuma: {Sad} You just have to take the fun out of everything don’t you?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} That’s right! Now that you’re all here I’m going to give you the Monokuma File#2 to assist you in this life or death investigation!

 

Hayato: But um… we’re not actually all here…

 

Monokuma: {Curious} You’re not?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Bah non… Yoshi-kun and Oriana-chan are missing.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Yoshi’s missing now? What the heck…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} He was with us when we found the body… I believe the sight of the body made him sick.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Mmph, that explains it then.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} What about Oriana-chan… we still don’t know where she is!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Our search for her has been inconclusive it seems…

 

We haven’t found Oriana but… considering that Rina told us she saw a body… I don’t want to think negatively but I don’t see who else could fit the bill.

 

Our chances of finding Oriana safe and sound are pretty low… that’s the truth of the matter.

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} Huh, I hadn’t even noticed that you bastards were missing a few peeps…

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Well, I’ll be back in a few seconds with the latecomers! {Disappears}

 

 

Kôzuke: Is… is he actually going to bring Oriana?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} He said he wanted us to all be present… I’d assume that would also include Oriana.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Well she’d have to be alive for him to find her hehe.

 

Kenji: {Furious} The fuck did you say?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} C’mon… you guys can’t be this naive… if she was alive you would have found her after all the investigating you’ve done.

 

Raiko: {Grimace} There is only one other alternative.

 

Jessie: {Scared} N-No… not Oriana-chan! You’re lying!

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Hm, then again what do I know? I’m just giving you my thoughts on the situation.

 

Hayato: Nobody asked for your opinion Raiko.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Your loss…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Speculating will do us no good… we should wait for Monokuma to come back.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Fair enough… I just hope that-

 

Fusume: {Confident} We all do Hikari… we all do.

 

Jessie: {Crying} Rina-chan… Oriana-chan…

 

And so once again we waited in silence for a few minutes until…

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Whatsup fuckers! I’m back.

 

Yoshi: {Scared} I ain’t lookin’ at it again! I swear I ain’t…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Yoshi… you’re okay.

 

Yoshi: {Poses} I ain’t okay no more… the Yosh’ be dragged here by dis monstrosity of an ursine…

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Hey! Have a little respect will ya!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Yoshi’s here but… what about Oriana man?

 

Reijiro: {Glares} I thought you said we all had to be present for this.

 

Yoko: {Angry} Yeah! One of us’ still missing! Where the hell is she?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Well…  um… um…

 

Kenji: {Furious} Just fucking tell us!

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} You see… this is the embarrassing moment where I admit that I don’t actually know where she is…

 

Shinto: You WHAT?

 

Hayato: Wait a second that makes no sense!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You told us that you had eyes and ears everywhere around the resort!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Yeah… with all those cameras you have around here. Surely you have an idea.

 

Reijiro: All things considered, it is not possible that you…

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} If I say that I don’t know it’s that I don’t know ok!! Don’t stress me out with questions.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} But…

 

Monokuma: {Angry} There ain’t no buts about it! I won’t answer any other questions about the location of Oriana Akiba!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Does that mean what I think it does…

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Hehehehe, what did I tell you…

 

Jessie: {Scared} N-no…

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Now, everyone who is currently able to investigate is reunited at the crime scene which means I can finally announce it to y’all…

 

Monokuma: {Happy} The Monokuma File #2 has been added to your Resident ID, you better make good use of it upupu!

 

Everyone who is currently able to investigate…? What does that mean.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Wait a minute!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} NO! Don’t you guys learn! Once I’ve given you the file I can’t help you no more! It’s up to you guys to figure out who the killer is… without my help!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} That’s not…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Good luck in this second trial! And of course… have fun! {Disappears}

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Have fun… of course hehe…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Ggh… investigating our friend’s murder… isn’t fun.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Of course it is! You lot just don’t realise it yet…

 

Kenji: {Furious} You… you fucking bitch!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Insult me all you want… I’m the only one here playing this game properly…

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Either way, we now have all the cards in hand to investigate this crime, I will go my own way.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} I hope you’ll come to the trial prepared… I want to be entertained hehehe.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} How can you even… think like this.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} That’s… just the way it is… {Leaves}

 

 

Once again, Raiko found the perfect words to get under our skins… we’re still in shock after our friend’s death and she’s just… happy it happened. She wants to be “entertained”.

 

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with that girl…?

 

Kenji: {Furious} The bitch… I bet she killed her… she’s the only one here capable to do such… such a horrible thing.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Y-Yeah man… why don’t we just vote for Raiko at the trial…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I don’t wanna have to investigate again.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It would be foolish to just accuse her because of her behaviour…

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} But… we already know that she’s capable of murder! Don’t you remember what she did with Kyia?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I remember precisely what she did… and that is exactly why we cannot rush to conclusions.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} What is it that you be sayin’ …?  

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Do you not remember what her goal was during the last trial?

 

Yoko: {Fanning herself} Her… goal?

 

Reijiro: The real reason she did all that tampering with the crime scene was…

 

{Flashback} 

 

{Raiko is seen in the drinks tent carrying a big rope under her arm}

 

Raiko: So he managed to untie himself huh… Knowing his temper he won’t go very far…

 

*CRASH*

 

Raiko: And that’s probably him dead… hehe let’s make it a bit more interesting.

 

{Raiko suddenly drops a soda bottle on the floor}

 

Raiko: Oh no… what a terrible accident hehehehehe….

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Reijiro: {Glares} To make us accuse her of a crime she had not committed… She was ready to put her life as well as all of ours in jeopardy for her so called “fun”.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} So… you think that she’s acting suspicious on purpose to confuse us.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Something like that yes…

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Well um… what do you propose we do?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} We need to get to investigating as quickly as we can, as I have already told you, we do not know how much time we will get and if we want to come out of the courtroom alive we must not lose any more time.

 

Reijiro is back to being commanding… he seems to be faring quite well for someone who was unconscious just a few minutes ago…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Let’s get to it then! I trust everybody will find something useful to do!

 

Jessie: {Sad}  Attendez! What about Oriana-chan? We still don’t know what’s up with her!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} We… we will find her eventually Jessie… I promise.

 

Jessie: {Scared} Oriana-chan…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} By investigating the murder we will ultimately search the resort… starting our investigation now only increases our chances of finding her.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} That’s… actually kind of smart.

 

Jessie: {Determined} Ok Reijiro-kun, you’ve convinced me! I’m going to search this place like there’s no tomorrow! Vamonos!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We won’t let this be the end of us… we have to survive the trial!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Let’s do our best in this investigation!

 

It looks like everybody is… relatively fired up, that’s definitely good. We have to work together the best we can in order to find Rina’s killer…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Report to me if you have any queries.

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Gotcha! The Yosh’ oughta be solvin’ this case!

 

Fusume: {Content} Good luck everybody.

 

{Slowly, the group disperses leaving Fusume, Reijiro, Kenji, Yoshi and Jessie in the room} 

 

Reijiro’s right… we only have limited time. I need to be as productive as I can. I’m not a detective sure… but I think I know a few things that could help me in this investigation.

 

I don’t have a choice. I need to solve this case.

 

{Investigation Starts} 

 

It seems wise to start with the Monokuma File… its content was crucial in the last investigation… I should read it carefully.

 

{Camera shows the Monokuma file displayed on Hayato’s resident ID}

 

Monokuma File :

 

The victim is Rina Ishido, the Ultimate Actress. The body was discovered in the music room. The estimated time of death is around 2:00 PM. The cause of death was suffocation. The victim likely choked on their own blood after their throat was slit with a sharp object. Death was close to immediate. There were no other injuries to be noted nor any traces of poison in the victim’s blood.

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hm… so this one seems to be a lot more straightforward than the previous one… no small injuries or suspicious aspects to the body.

 

Still… drowning in one's own blood… that’s a horrible way to go. Poor Rina…

 

If the last case is anything to go by, this information has got to be important… I’ll keep it in mind for later.

 

{MONOKUMA FILE #2 added to truth bullets} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hey Hayato.

 

Hayato: What? Oh uh hi Fusume…

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Come join me in examining the body once you’re done reading the file.

 

Hayato: Examining the body? Do I have to?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Yes. If you want to have a thorough understanding of this case, I’m afraid you don’t have a choice.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Just come to me once you’re ready.

 

Ugh… I really don’t want to get any closer to the corpse… Fusume’s competent enough to autopsy the body by herself so if she’s asking for me to come it’s that she has a good reason.

 

Well, might as well right?

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I see you made the right decision. This is not the most pleasant thing to do but it must be done. We need to take a good look at the body.

 

Hayato: I guess you’re right… well, actually before we start, is there anything you can tell me about the body?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I did not have time to practice a full autopsy just yet but I can tell you from my preliminary observation that once again the Monokuma File seems to be reliable.

 

Hayato: Is that so?

 

Fusume: Yes, not only does its precision in the previous trial already convince me that it is legitimate…

 

Fusume: {Confident} But the description of the cause of death matches quite precisely Rina’s injury.

 

Hayato: Her… her throat was slit right?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Correct, she was cut with a sharp weapon… something like a knife I guess.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} Furthermore, the time of deaths seems to be accurate considering when we received that phone call…

 

Rina called us right before 2:00 PM, I guess it makes sense to assume that this is when she died.

 

Fusume: From both of these discoveries, I would definitely conclude that the file is trustworthy.

 

Hayato: Okay then, good to know.

 

{MONOKUMA FILE #2 has been updated}

 

Hayato: Anything else?

 

Fusume: {Content} I believe that is all I can tell you for now, why don’t you check around yourself if you find anything else?

 

Hayato: Hm… okay, here goes nothing.

 

Breath deeply Hayato… it’s just a body… just like in my novels…

 

 

It’s nothing like my novels dammit… reality and fiction, these worlds definitely don’t mix.

 

Let’s get this over with.

 

{Close-up on Rina’s body}

 

{Examine Rina’s Injury}

 

Oh god… this is so much more disgusting than last time… her throat has been cut really deep… there’s blood everywhere…

 

We said we’d prevent something so horrible from happening again so why…?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Judging from the size of the cut, I’d assume her windpipe was slit… that would explain the suffocation.

 

Hayato: That’s… such a horrible way to die.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It is… {Shocked} Well, actually…

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Judging from her injuries and the Monokuma File, I think it’s fair to say she died very quickly.

 

Hayato: The file does say that it was almost instantaneous.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} Hm… It definitely wasn’t as instant as Kyia’s death but I don’t think she survived any longer than a minute.

 

Hayato: Ok… that’s good to know.

 

So she only choked for about a minute before dying… I should probably keep that in mind.

 

Again, judging from how the last trial went, knowing how immediate her death was has to be important.

 

{MONOKUMA FILE #2 has been updated}

 

{Examine Glove}

 

Fusume: {Dark look} This is one of the gloves that Rina always wore… it seems to have been ripped.

 

Hayato: I always thought it was ridiculous for her to wear silk gloves on a daily basis but now…

 

Fusume: Do not speak ill of the dead Hayato.

 

Hayato: That’s not what I was doing! I swear! I just meant that-

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Wait, are those teeth marks on that glove?

 

Hayato: What are you talking about?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Look!

 

{Close-up on glove}

 

Hayato: Oh my, you’re right… the way the glove has been ripped… it looks like somebody bit into it. Quite intensely too.

 

Fusume: Judging by how ripped the glove is and the fact that it’s no longer on her hand… I’d say the killer bit it off her.

 

Fusume: Why would somebody do such a thing? It… seems so bestial

 

{Back to normal}

 

I don’t see any reason for Rina to bite on her own glove so it means… the killer is the one who bit her…

 

Who the hell would be so violent? Dammit, I can’t even start to picture one of us doing this.

 

{RIPPED UP GLOVE added to truth bullets}

 

{Examine Grandfather clock} 

 

Hayato: This clock has fallen over her body… most likely in the struggle between Rina and the killer.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Hm, yes you are right… it should be noted that the clock is no actually touching her, the fall was stopped by the wall.

 

Yes that’s right… the top of the clock is being supported by the wall but it’s still on her… there’d be no way for her to get up. That is if she we still alive.

 

Hayato: I bet that clock is stopping us from discovering clues… we better get it off her!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Hayato! Wait a moment.

 

I bent over to grab the clock and.

 

Hayato: HNNNNNNNGH!

 

I crumbled down from the effort…

 

It didn’t move an inch.

 

Hayato: Damn that thing is heavy.

 

Fusume: {Annoyed} I was about to tell you… even the both of us together would not be able to lift it.

 

Hayato: Wait, then how did the killer drop this on her?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I believe that gravity played a big part… making it fall is much easier than lifting it back up.

 

Hayato: Hm… that makes sense… so it means that after the clock was dropped on Rina it was essentially impossible to get it off her.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And that means that Rina definitely could not have gotten up after that clock fell.

 

Hayato: Hold on a minute, check out the clock hands… is it me or are they not moving at all?

 

Fusume: {Shocked} You… you are correct, the clock seems to be broken.

 

Hayato: Well, I’m sure it worked last time I checked it out so… does that mean it was broken when it fell?

 

Fusume: {Happy} That seems to be the most likely theory… the clock reads 2:02… that fits with Rina’s time of death!

 

Hayato: This is huge! Isn’t this proof that the killer was still in the room at 2:02?

 

Fusume: Yes, that appears to be the case… which means that we can eliminate people who have an alibi at 2 PM.

 

I feel like this clock is going to be very important in solving the case…

 

I shouldn’t forget about any of this.

 

{FALLEN GRANDFATHER CLOCK added to truth bullets}

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} I think that we will not get much more information from the body… time to move to the bigger picture.

 

Hayato: Yeah, I think I’ve had enough of this anyways.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} For a mystery novelist… I did not expect you to be so squirmish.

 

Hayato: Hey, I’m not squirmish… it’s just that-

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We have no time for your justifications.

 

Fusume: {Confident}  Please, let us investigate this room in detail.

 

Hayato: You got it. There have got to be more clues around here!

 

{Camera shows the entire room again}

 

Where to now?

 

{Examine Coffee Cup}

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hm… look here, next to the room’s supply closet, this is the cup that Rina usually carried around with her.

 

Hayato: Yeah, somehow her coffee was always burning hot…

 

I’d know from all the times she spat it at my face.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Well the cup probably opened when it hit the floor… the coffee has spilled everywhere.

 

Hayato: It’s a bit of a mess you’re right… the coffee’s still warm so I guess this continues to suggest it was only spilled recently.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Interesting… {Shocked} Wait, are those footprints in the coffee?

 

Hayato: What now?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Look Hayato, right here!

 

{Zoom in on the coffee puddle}

 

Hayato: Oh… oh my god you’re right! There seems to be footprints in the coffee.

 

Fusume: But… this is weird, the way the footprints are positioned it looks like someone walked out of the closet!

 

Out of the closet?

 

Fusume: The prints face the room not the closet… that means that whoever made these prints was hiding inside the closet!

 

Hayato: Somebody was inside the closet…? But why…? Is it the killer?

 

{Back to normal}

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Actually… judging from the size of these prints… I think I can guess who stepped in that puddle.

 

Hayato: Thinking about it… these prints are definitely quite small. Wait!

 

Hayato: Do you mean that you think the prints belong to Oriana?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} It’s hard to say for sure… but that definitely seems like a strong possibility… she has the smallest feet here after all.

 

Oriana was in this room…? But what does that mean? And… where the hell is she now?

 

{FOOTPRINTS IN COFFEE PUDDLE added to truth bullets}

 

{Talk to Reijiro}

 

Hayato: Hey Reijiro… are you feeling better?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I am fine. Somebody hit me from behind… I did not see it coming.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} But there is nothing to worry about. The injury is very superficial… the wound is not even open.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I cannot let this interfere with the investigation.

 

Hayato: You were hit from behind… so that means you don’t know who attacked you?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Indeed… my assailant's identity is a complete mystery…

 

Hayato: Do you think it was the killer who attacked you?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Mmph, it is hard to say for sure… I would assume so yes but as I said earlier, we should not rush to conclusions…

 

Hayato: Hm… I guess you really can’t know who it was…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It really is impossible for me to know… All I know is that until I was hit there was nobody around me.

 

Hayato: Wait what?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} You heard me, I was investigating the area outside the yellow building and I am sure that there was no one around… until my aggression of course.

 

Reijiro: Even right before I was hit… I did not hear nor see anyone coming…

 

Hayato: Hm… how strange.

 

Reijiro: It is indeed peculiar… I am myself trying to figure out how my aggressor did it but I sadly still do not know…

 

If Reijiro of all people did not hear whoever assaulted him coming to him… it means they had to be super discrete.

 

This is strange… how did they do it and where do they come from? Is his aggressor the killer?

 

I have too many questions right now… better keep this in mind for later.

 

{REIJIRO’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets}

 

Reijiro: {Smug} By the way, while you are still here, I would advise you to examine the grand piano in this room…

 

Hayato: The grand piano?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Take a look at it… it will become immediately obvious to you that something is wrong with it.

 

Hayato: Oh okay…

 

Guess I better take a look at that piano then.

 

{Examine Piano} 

 

I looked at the piano carefully… under every angle. Over and over again…

 

 

What the hell is Reijiro talking about? I can’t see anything weird about this piano…

 

I already know what his reaction is going to be if I ask him what he meant but I guess I have no choice…

 

Here goes nothing.

 

Hayato: Um Reijiro… do you mind elaborating what was wrong with the piano… I can’t quite put the finger on it.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, how disappointing, the issue is rather simple.

 

Hayato: Then tell me what it is!

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Very well… please, play a C for me.

 

Hayato: C?

 

Hm… I think it’s this one right?

 

I pressed the key which responded with a single note.

 

 

And the point of that was…?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Judging from your lost expression I assume that you have no idea why I had you do that, correct?

 

Hayato: Yeah… I’m a little lost right now.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I shall break it down for you. The key you pressed was a C but the note you played was actually closer to a C#.

 

Hayato: You can tell the difference between the two notes that easily?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Why of course… that is one of my many abilities.

 

I remember him telling me he had perfect pitch a couple days ago… I guess that explains it.

 

Hayato: But… Reijiro why does it matter that the piano is slightly out of tune?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} It matters because when I came here yesterday morning the piano was still tuned to perfection.

 

Hayato: Really?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes really, that means somebody tampered with the piano in the last 24 hours to make it go untuned.

 

Hayato: But why would anybody untune a piano…? What the heck’s the point of doing that?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Do not think “why did they untune the piano?” but rather “what could they have done to untune it?”

 

Hayato: You’re right… somebody messed with that piano and considering this is the where the murder happened we can’t just leave it as a coincidence!

 

{OUT OF TUNE PIANO added to truth bullets} 

 

{Talk to Kenji} 

 

Hayato: Hey Kenji, are you doing okay?

 

Kenji: {Looking down} I’m ayt… this just sucks seriously. Even though she and I had our differences she didn’t deserve to die like that.

 

Kenji: {Clenches fist} And to think that the last conversation I had with her was an argument… I feel guilty as shit.

 

They did fight this morning… that’s probably what made her isolate herself during the day… I probably shouldn’t tell Kenji that, he already feels bad enough as is.

 

Hayato: Don’t feel too guilty Kenji… it’s horrible but we need to concentrate on solving this case.

 

Kenji: {Clenches fist} You’re right… we’re going to bring the mothefuckers who did this to him and show them justice.

 

Motherfuckers? So Kenji assumes that it were two people who did this huh? I guess it makes sense considering the motive.

 

Hayato: Anyway, did you notice anything that could be useful?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Tch, not really… I’ve been looking around for sure but I feel like it’s useless.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I thought I’d seen blood on the window sill outside but turns out I was wrong.

 

Hayato: You saw blood?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Well I was looking outside and I saw a red stain that  looked a lot like blood but it really doesn’t smell anything like it…

 

Hayato: What did it smell like then?

 

Kenji: I really can’t tell for sure bro… I guess it smelled kinda chemically? I’m not sure.

 

Hayato: A red stain that smelled like chemicals huh? Thanks for telling me this Kenji.

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Don’t worry about it! I thought it was just me being fucking dumb again but if you think that it’s useful, I’m happy!

 

I don’t know just yet if it is useful or not… but this stain of his definitely sound suspicious enough for me to make a mental note of it.

 

{“BLOODY” STAIN ON WINDOW SILL added to truth bullets}

 

{Examine Handprint on far wall}

 

Hayato: Hey Fusume, what do you think of this?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Hm, let me see.

 

Fusume: {Confident} This looks like a bloody handprint to me. {Leaves}

 

She went back to examining the body.

 

Hayato: Wait a second-

 

Well, looks like she won’t be very helpful on this one… that girl’s attention span is way too short for me.

 

In either case, she’s right. This handprint looks like it’s blood… the fact that it’s right above Rina’s body kinda hints to that as well.

 

It definitely doesn’t have that chemical scent that Kenji was talking about so it’s probably not the same substance that he saw…

 

Thinking about it actually, it doesn’t really smell like anything. Maybe it’s because it’s dried blood I don’t know…

 

It’s still a suspicious looking stain… Logically, because Rina could not reach this high with the grandfather clock blocking her… I guess we can assume the killer left this handprint.

 

{BLOODY HANDPRINT added to truth bullets} 

 

{Talk to Jessie} 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Heya Hayato-kun…

 

Hayato: Hey Jessie, how are you holding up?

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} I’m sad for Rina-chan… and I’m worried for Oriana-chan… other than that 괜찮아.

 

Hayato: Yeah, it’s hard for everyone Jessie… but it’ll be fine, I’m sure Oriana will be fine!

 

Jessie: I sure hope so…

 

I feel like she’s about to cry… I don’t know what to say to her dammit. Time to change topic.

 

Hayato: Well tell me, have you noticed anything in the music room that could help us during the trial?

 

Jessie: {Thoughtful} Hm… actually Yoshi-kun and I were just talking about something that could interest you.

 

Jessie: Yoshi-kun!

 

Yoshi: {Pale} Uh….

 

Jessie: Yoshi-kun! Can you hear me?

 

Yoshi: {Pale} Uh… the Yosh’…

 

Jessie: {Screaming} YOSHI-KUN!

 

Yoshi: {Shocked} Ah! Yes, soz… The Yosh’ be feelin’ unwell.

 

Hayato: Are you still shocked about seeing the body?

 

Yoshi: {Pale} I uh… the Yosh’ ain’t good with gore… that scene made me a little sick.

 

He is super pale… it looks like that definitely shook him. Poor Yoshi.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Yoshi-kun! If you’re feeling unwell then take off some layers! If you’re too warm you’ll feel even sicker!

 

Hayato: She’s right Yoshi, maybe you’ll feel better if you just take off your jacket for a little bit.

 

Yoshi: {Pale} I ain’t doin’ that…  I be okay… I oughta be needin’ one second… just one second.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Okay then suit yourself… I just don’t want you to be sick.

 

Yoshi: That be… very kind of you.

 

Hayato: Either way, what was it that you guys were talking about?

 

Jessie: {Thoughtful} Well, we were just talking about how maybe the allocation of weapon could be important.

 

Yoshi: {Poses} That be correct! Because of the weapons motive, only the peeps with sharp weapons oughta be considered suspects!

 

Jessie: {Determined}  Olen samaa mieltä! Monokuma said we were only allowed to use our own weapon!

 

Jessie: That means that all of us who have weapons which couldn’t be used to cut Rina-chan’s throat like that have to be innocent!

 

That’s… actually really smart. I don’t think we can just completely rule out everyone except those with sharp weapons just yet.. but still, they’re right in saying that the weapons motive is actually really important!

 

I’m sure of it now… knowing who had which weapon is crucial!

 

{ALLOCATION OF WEAPONS  added to truth bullets}

 

Well… I think that’s all I’m going to be getting from the crime scene… I found a lot of clues but most of them ask questions for which I don’t have any answers…

 

Still, I think I examined the most important areas and I talked to everyone who was around.

 

Well, actually there’s one person I still need to talk to…

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Hayato: Fusume do you have a minute to talk?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes, make it short though… I am not done with my autopsy just yet.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} What did question did you have for me?

 

Hayato: Well uh… you know, I just wanted to ask you if you had any information for me.

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Information?

 

Hayato: I don’t know, I’m just talking to everyone I see asking the same thing. Just tell me if you have anything that could help me with my investigation.

 

Fusume: {Mediating} Hm, I see… well it is a good reflex to have…

 

Fusume: {Happy} You are getting good at this Hayato.

 

Hayato: Oh uh thanks that’s sweet of you to say…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Either way no, I don’t think I am going to be of much use to you, all I have been doing is checking the body and I have already told you everything I knew.

 

Hayato: Oh okay, well that’s fine… you’ve already been helpful enough-

 

Fusume: {Dark look} There is one thing that is still bothering me though…

 

Hayato: Huh? Tell me more about it!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} When I looked through the keyhole before we entered the room…

 

{Flashback}

 

Fusume quickly crouched down and pressed her eye against the keyhole and when she did…   

 

Fusume: {Shocked} AHHHHH!

 

Hayato: Fusume? What did you see?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} There was somebody’s eye… looking right back at me.

 

Yoshi: {Scared} What? That… it finna mean that somebody’s inside! Let me see.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Fusume: I saw Rina looking back at me… I know it for sure.

 

Yeah… that eye thing is really weirding me out too.

 

Hayato: How can you tell that it was Rina though?! Maybe it was the killer looking through the keyhole?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No. That isn’t possible, the eye was dark brown… the only person with dark brown eyes here is Rina… it has to be her eye!

 

Hayato: I guess… you’re right that nobody had eyes quite like her…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} But if it is her I saw through the keyhole… then it makes no sense whatsoever.

 

Hayato: It doesn’t?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Well no, think about it this way… If I saw Rina’s eye in the keyhole it means that she was still alive.


Fusume: {Dark look} So she had to be killed between the time I saw her and the time we entered the room.

 

Hayato: And that’s only about a minute or so… you’re right it seems really complicated.

 

Fusume: {Confident} That’s not all! If she was killed in that tiny timeframe… it also means the killer had to escape the room in that minute!

 

Hayato: Wait a minute you’re right! How the heck did the killer even get out of the room! The only door was locked…

 

Fusume: And the window is not an option… jumping from the window would just mean dying…

 

Hayato: So it’s a locked room mystery huh?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} That is definitely the way it seems… the killer had to commit his crime and escape from a locked room in under two minutes… it just seems impossible to me.

 

Even with two blackened that doesn’t feel possible… locked room mysteries were always fun to write but to solve… I don’t know how we’re going to manage.

 

If that’s really Rina’s eye that Fusume saw… then the killer had to manage the impossible to go through everything they had to accomplish 

 

I just don’t get it…

 

{FUSUME’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets} 

 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Are you done with this room Hayato?

 

Hayato: Yes… I think so. Still, I should investigate the neighbouring rooms… maybe I’ll find something interesting there.

 

Fusume: That seems like a good idea… now is the time for me to face the other problem at hand.

 

Hayato: The other problem? What is that?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We still have not found Oriana… the longer we wait the least likely it is that we will find her alive…

 

Hayato: You’re right… we should definitely try to find her asap!

 

Fusume: {Confident} I cannot stop thinking about those footprints we found in this room…

 

Fusume: I believe that they indicate that Oriana was in this room very recently.

 

Hayato: Yeah, the size of the footprints doesn’t leave much room for doubt…

 

Hayato: What do you suggest.

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} This room… is a mess, there are instruments and shelves and sheet music everywhere… So I’m thinking to myself that if Oriana was dead…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} This place would be perfect to hide the body.

 

Hayato: W-WHAT?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I am not saying that she is dead for sure… but it is a possibility we have to face. This is why we need to search every nook and cranny of the music room… even that which is unrelated to Rina’s murder.

 

Hayato: That makes sense… and uh how are you going to do that?

 

Fusume: {Happy} Simple.

 

She turned around and addressed everyone present.

 

Fusume: Is everyone done with their investigation of the room?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I believe that I am yes…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I mean I have no clue how I’m supposed to do any of this investigating bullcrap so I guess.

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Yoshi-kun and I are also happy with the investigating we’ve done!

 

Yoshi: {Pale} That be… the truth…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Good… then I’m going to need everybody’s assistance.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Tell me what you want, I’m your man.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I think that something… important is in this room but it cannot be seen because of the mess… that is why I need you to help me empty this room completely!

 

Jessie: {Surprised} Empty it completely?

 

Fusume: Yes, that seems to be the only way for me to have a clear vision of the room.

 

Hayato: Wait but there are a lot of heavy instruments in the room and… what about Rina’s body?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} The body won’t be touched… however when it comes to the instruments, I have the two strongest guys with me right now, it will be no trouble!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} The two…

 

Hayato: Strongest guys???

 

Kenji: {Snickers} She’s talking about me and Yoshi… not you lanky fucks.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Oh…

 

Yeah I thought so…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I trust that you have a reason for doing this…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes… I will explain it to you in due time…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Very well, then I will assist in this task.

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} We all will! Right Yoshi-kun?

 

Yoshi: {Pale} Y-Yes… fantasmagoric…

 

Fusume: Hayato.

 

Hayato: Yes?

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} Go on, go investigate the other rooms! We need you to get as much information as possible.

 

Hayato: Will do.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Wait so broccoli boy be skippin’ the manual work? That ain’t fair!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Life isn’t fair Yoshi, get used to it!

 

Fusume: {Happy} Boys, if you will…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You’re damn right I’m taking the heaviest instrument out first! I’m the strongest one here!

 

Yoshi: {Angry} Hey that ain’t true! The Yosh’s core strength be out of dis world!

 

Kenji: {Furious} You’re joking right? I’m huge as fuck!

 

Yoshi: Nuh uh, I ain’t jokin’

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Well I’m grabbing the drumkit! Try to find heavier than that!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} The Yosh’ be… carryin’ this big cello over here! It be lookin’ pretty heavy.

 

Kenji: Tch, it’s definitely lighter than my drumkit you tool.

 

Jessie: {Laughing} Guys, this isn’t a competition!

 

Kenji and Yoshi: {In unison} OF COURSE IT IS

 

Fusume: {Happy} Go Hayato. I’m in good hands… Let’s agree to keep each other posted if we find anything of use.

 

Hayato: Will do. See you later.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Good luck.

 

Alright, I’ll leave them to their relocation of stuff… I’m going to concentrate on getting as many clues as possible.

 

The rooms adjacent to this one might be of interest… maybe we can find info on how the killer escaped the locked room…

 

Either way, I should check them out of precaution.

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 2nd Floor} 

 

{Move to Arts and Craft Room} 

 

{Kôzuke and Hikari are here, the rest of the room looks identical to last time}

 

 

I spent some time looking around the room but I can’t find anything that sticks out as suspicious… I know I have to be thorough but there really isn’t anything of interest around here… I shouldn’t waste my time on unimportant stuff.

 

Well, at the very least I’ll talk to the people here, see what they have to say.

 

{Talk to Hikari}

 

Hayato: Hey Hikari… are you doing okay?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I’m okay… it’s just really sad to think that one of us actually went and killed again…

 

Hikari: {Sad} Maybe it’s two of us… god that makes it even worse.

 

Hayato: Yeah… it’s sad.

 

Hikari: Truth is… even though I criticized you for being harsh on Fukami, we need someone like you to find out who did this… or we’re all done for.

 

Hayato: That’s how this game works Hikari… I don’t want to send one of us to their execution but we have no other choice.

 

Hayato: The moment that they decided to murder is the moment where it became their lives against ours.

 

Hikari: {Sad} I guess you’re right… I just hate that this is the way it is…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Anyway, you want to know if I have any information for you right?

 

Hayato: Yes… how did you know?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} I’ve seen you work before Hayato, I know how you function!

 

That smile… I can’t handle that smile…

 

Hikari: {Angry} Stop blushing Hayato! You’re ruining this cute reunion moment!

 

Hayato: Oh uh s-sorry…

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Anyways, as far as information on the case goes… I don’t know if I can help you much… first thing I did was go to Oriana’s room and it’s definitely still locked.

 

Hayato: It is?

 

Hikari: {Cod stare} Yes… Monokuma told me with the trial preparations he didn’t have time to unlock it.

 

Hayato: Oh okay…

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Actually, I thought of something else… isn’t it weird that only a few of us got those talent videos earlier?

 

Hayato: Yeah you’re right… I’d completely forgotten about those…

 

{Flashback} 

 

As soon as I pressed the screen, a video started playing.

 

The words “Display of Talent” were written in a big red font as Monokuma narrated:

 

Monokuma: Hope’s Peak Academy is a school for the most talented among us… every student excels in one area.

 

Monokuma: The question I ask myself is: why let all this talent go to waste?

 

After he said that, a sort of montage started playing, it basically showed each of us in action while overly dramatic music played in the background.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Those videos were definitely quite weird…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} From what I remember those of us who got the videos were Reijiro, Kenji you and I… I can’t think of anything that links us though…

 

Hayato: Something that links us? What are you talking about?

 

Hikari: Well I don’t know, Monokuma is so methodical in what he does… I assumed that there was a reason for the four of us to be the only ones who got to see it.

 

Hayato: You’ve got a point… it does seem weird.

 

I don’t usually try to understand why Monokuma does what he does… But I can’t help but wonder what the heck those videos were about…

 

Hayato: Thanks Hikari… I’ll think this through and tell you if I can figure anything out.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Keep me posted.

 

{TALENT VIDEOS added to truth bullets}

 

{Talk to Kôzuke}

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Oh it’s you… sup Hayato man?

 

Hayato: I’m okay… how are you?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Y’know… as good as I can considering a friend’s been murdered by another friend.

 

Hayato: Yeah… I know the feeling.

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} So… are you doing your investigation thing right now?

 

Hayato: I’m trying… but this case is confusing me to say the least…

 

Kôzuke: Well, I’m afraid I can’t really help you man. I still don’t know how to do this.

 

Hayato: Well it’s okay… just keep me informed if you find anything useful.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I’ll do my best… I don’t want to feel useless y’know.

 

Hayato: I get it, but you’re not useless Kôzuke… no need to worry.

 

Kôzuke: {Graps medals} Argh… that’s too kind of you!

 

*Ding*

 

What was that beeping noise just then?

 

Hayato: Did that come from you Kôzuke?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Oh uh it did man… I just set up a daily alarm on my Resident ID for 3PM as a reminder.

 

Hayato: 3 PM… what for?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Well you know, from 1 to 3 PM there’s this stupid grass irrigation thing going on.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Monokuma said he’d execute us if we walked on his grass during that time… so I set up alarms at 1 and 3 to make sure I don’t forget.

 

Hayato: Hm okay… makes sense.

 

Kôzuke: I get distracted easily so y’know… just don’t wanna take that risk man.

 

Hayato: Definitely.

 

Now that I think of it… the murder likely happened around 2PM which means it was during Monokuma’s irrigation time… that means the killer couldn’t have walked on grass during that time!

 

Oh my… I just realised…  there is only grass directly under the Music Room window! That means that there was no way that the killer escaped through the window. It’s even more of a locked room now…

 

Hm, I’ll have to thank Kôzuke later… knowing about the irrigation time actually seems pretty important for the case… I should keep it in mind.

 

{GRASS IRRIGATION added to truth bullets} 

 

That’s it for the people here… actually now that I think of it… there is one aspect of the room I’d like to check.

 

{Examine Window}

 

*Click*

 

As I thought… this window is still screwed shut. I still don’t quite know why this window is sentenced but it is… That means that there was no way the killer could have escaped through here.

 

I was imagining that it was maybe possible for the culprit to walk along the ledge between the rooms and escape through here but the window won’t open so that’s not a possibility.

 

I guess that it’s important to take all the possible escape routes into account.

 

{SENTENCED WINDOW added to truth bullets}

 

 

I think that’s it for this room… I don’t know how much time I’ve got left so… I should hurry up to the next room and see if I find anything else of importance.

 

I should probably check out the archives next… judging from the proximity of the rooms, it could also have been a possible escape route for the killer… also taking another look at the file about our class couldn’t hurt.

 

Still, the more it goes the less I understand what’s going on with this case, I’ve got quite few clues but they just don’t tie in together yet. I can’t see the big picture and that troubles me.

 

This case won’t be easily to solve but failure... isn't an option!

 

Notes:

Again, I'm going to cut off the investigation in two parts to avoid a 20,000 words chapter haha.

Next part should come out on schedule if I manage to stay on task (exams are coming soon so you know, I'll do my best)

Clues are starting to come together so if you have any theory about who killed Rina, what happened to Oriana or anything else you want to comment on as usual don't hesitate to put them in the comments (I love reading comments so go ahead!)

On another note, I've seen this in a couple other fics so I thought I'd try it myself : here's a "favorite character" poll! https://www.strawpoll.me/17763117 If you read this and you can take the time to vote it'd mean a lot to me. I'd find it super interesting to find out who's liked and who's not and it could give me a gross idea of the number of readers!

Anyway, that's it for me! Thanks for sticking along all this time and see you in the next one!

Chapter 22: Chapter 2 : A Gentle Melody for a Lost Soul : Deadly Life part 2

Notes:

Second part of the investigation incoming, this one's a bit shorter than usual so here it comes ahead of schedule.

Enjoy :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

{Move to Yellow Building - 2nd Floor} 

 

{Move to Archives}

 

{Yoko and Shinto are here}

 

Alright, it won’t hurt to take another look at some of these files… I should also make sure I talk to everyone… any input will be appreciated.

 

{Examine Archives Bookshelf} 

 

If I remember correctly… that file was right here.

 

{Flashback}

 

Fusume: Okay… I brought both of you here because…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Somebody here is not who they say they are…

 

Hayato: Wh… Whaat?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Continue…   

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} This file is about the 80th class of Hope’s Peak Academy…

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Yup that’s the one… “Hope’s Peak : 80th Class” Guess that’s us.

 

I haven’t really spoken to anyone about this but I can’t help but remember…

 

{Flashback} 

 

{Close up on the article, the headline reads: “The Caped Kidnapper wanted for murder!”, a picture of a dark silhouette is shown on a wanted poster}

 

Wanted for murder? What the hell? I thought this guy only kidnapped people…

 

{The article reads : “If you doubted whether the Caped Kidnapper was a criminal or not, this should be proof enough, Caspian’s mission to kidnap Tetsuji Kuzuryu ended with the death of his personal secretary Kanna Muratagi”}

 

What is this…?

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Kanna Muratagi… she was the victim in that news story Raiko showed us…

 

Apparently her killer was Caspian AKA the caped kidnapper AKA one of us. We almost know for certain that someone here is a criminal and a murderer… that person has got to be a suspect in this case.

 

Now that I think of it… Muratagi’s death is eerily similar to Rina’s… they both died the exact same way… they had their throat slit in a locked room. Could it be…?

 

Finding out who Caspian is might be the key in solving this murder… the more I think of it the more likely it is that this guy’s the killer.

Either way, better check out that file, maybe there will be something to help us identify Caspian.

 

 

I skipped through the first few pages of the file to reach the section designated to Caspian…

 

“The Caped Kidnapper to replace a student of class 80!”

 

That’s the headline that Fusume had already showed me, let’s see what the next couple of pages can tell me…

 

Police reports… Criminal Records… Oh! That’s it! “Reported Sightings” there’s gotta be some physical description that could be helpful!

 

 

Oh… yeah, these kinda suck. All these reports basically contradict each other. It looks like these are all just people claiming they saw him for attention. “He was huge” “He was actually quite small” “I’m pretty sure it was a woman” “Definitely a man” “I’m convinced he’s got heterochromia” “He’s so short I thought he suffered from achondroplasia”

 

Apart from the fact that I have no idea what those last two meant… these are all over the place, I’m probably not going to get any form of good information on Caspian’s appearance from this.

 

 

I don’t want to waste my time on this file… I don’t think it’s going to be of much more help.

 

Still, I should take this with me… just in case.

 

{80TH CLASS FILE added to truth bullets} 

 

{Talk to Yoko}

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} This isn’t good… What are we going to do? What are we going to do? What are we-

 

Hayato: Yoko? Are you okay?

 

Yoko: {Shocked} Oh sorry, I was just talking to myself.

 

Yoko: {Sad} I… don’t know how to be useful anymore… Shinto and I have been going over the files here over and over again but I’m starting to lose my mind!

 

Hayato: Just calm down and breathe for a second.

 

Yoko: {Shocked} I… I… 

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} You’re right… we have to take this calmly… panicking will only make things worse.

 

Hayato: Good, I’m glad you can keep cool. Now, is there anything you can tell me about this morning's events.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Hm… let me think, well I haven’t really found anything useful while investigating and uhm…

 

Yoko: {Shocked} Ngh! I… I don’t know anything.

 

She’s not telling me everything… is she be hiding something from me?

 

Hayato: Yoko… can you please tell me what you were doing this morning?

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} I uh… wasn’t doing anything special… why do you uh… ask?

 

Hayato: Nothing special? But weren't you supposed to be searching for Oriana with everyone else?

 

Yoko: {Shocked} Eep! I…

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Fine you got me. Kenji and I didn’t actually go looking for her like we were supposed to.

 

Hayato: You didn’t? Where were you then?

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} We simply decided that we wouldn’t be too useful so we went and chilled at the pool.

 

At the pool? Hm, sounds like they definitely didn’t care about finding Oriana?

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} I know it was selfish of us… sorry… not much I can do about it now.

 

Hayato: Well did you notice anything while you were at the pool?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Let me think… Oh well there was one thing.

 

Hayato: Yes, tell me!

 

Yoko: Well, while we were in the pool, I noticed that the roof of the yellow building was open.

 

Hayato: The roof was open?

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} Yeah, remember how the top of the yellow building is an observatory with a panoramic roof? Well that roof was open all morning!

 

If the roof was open then that means that someone was in the observatory all morning… this could either serve as an alibi or as an incriminating piece of evidence depending on how the trial goes… either way, this could be important.

 

{YOKO’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets} 

 

{Talk to Shinto} 

 

Shinto: {Leans on cane} Hi Hayato… you’re here to interrogate me right?

 

Hayato: Interrogate is a harsh term, I’d just like to ask if you know anything about what happened this morning…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I… don’t think that I do. I’m guessing that Yoko already told you that we’re trying to find something useful in these files but… we’ve come short at the moment.

 

Hayato: Hm, yeah she said something similar.

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} Sorry… I wish I could be of more use.

 

Hayato: Don’t worry about it Shinto, just concentrate on what you can tell me about the murder.

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Well, I had been thinking… do you really believe that two people could be responsible for this…?

 

Two people…

 

Hayato: This whole double graduation motive definitely makes it a possibility… the thing is that this crime seems already impossible if one person was in that room…

 

Hayato: So for two people to escape the locked music room… it's complicated to imagine.

 

Shinto: Sure… but if one of us was capable of killing Rina, I don’t see why their partner wouldn’t have helped… it just seems more convenient.

 

I think it’s a lot more complex than that but… Shinto makes a fair point, the question of how many blackened we’re dealing with will definitely come up during the trial… I have to be prepared to answer it.

 

{PAIRING MOTIVE added to truth bullets}

 

There’s one more thing I’d like to check out before leaving the archives…

 

{Examine Window}

 

As expected… this window opens just fine. I guess the arts and craft room really is the exception.

 

What this means is that the killer could have escaped the music room through this window! They could have gone out the music room’s window, walked along the ledge and-

 

Wait a second… the ledge…

 

It’s missing!

 

It looks like the ledge between the two rooms has crumbled off… If it was like this earlier on today then it was definitely impossible for the killer to leave through here…

 

Hm, that’s yet another escape route crossed off the list.

 

How in god’s name did the killer leave the music room…?

 

{MISSING LEDGE added to truth bullets}

 

 

I’m pretty sure that’s all I’m gonna get in the archives… That means I’m done with the two rooms neighbouring the crime scene… I still have no idea how the killer managed to get out of the music room…

 

I shouldn’t waste time, there are still a few places I want to check out before the trial starts…

 

Let’s get going.

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 2nd Floor} 

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{Move to Garbage Room} 

 

{Tadao is here}

 

Thinking about it… if the killer needed to get rid of any evidence, here would be the prime place to do so.

 

I’ve gotta be extra thorough here… I’ve got a feeling that I’ll find something important if I look hard enough!

 

{Examine Newspaper Article}

 

This is the article that Raiko showed us a couple days ago. I wonder what it’s doing here…

 

The story talks about Caspian being accused of murder…

 

{Close-up on Kanna Muratagi’s body}

 

That woman… she was the secretary to the Kuzuryu boss. Caspian was apparently aiming to kidnap him but she ended up dead. Poor girl…

 

I can’t help thinking that our case is connected with this one…

 

{Side by side comparison of the two bodies}

 

The cause of death is exactly the same and the disposition of the bodies is way too similar for this to be just a coincidence.

 

If Caspian really did kill Muratagi, then he has to be a prime suspect in Rina’s murder… either that or blackened tried to pin the blame on the kidnapper.

 

Either way… these two cases are connected… I should keep this article just in case.

 

{NEWSPAPER ARTICLE added to truth bullets}

 

{Examine Incinerator} 

 

I wonder if the killer tried getting rid of evidence through the incinerator… It does seem to be the easiest way to make stuff disappear…

 

Let’s see here.

 

 

Fucking hell! It’s burning hot… Note to self, don’t just put your hand on an incinerator like that… I’m such an idiot.

 

Thinking about it… if it’s still hot it was definitely used recently! I guess I was right in assuming that this was a good way to destroy evidence!

 

Now… the trick is to find any remains of what was burnt… All it takes is for whoever used the incinerator to have been a little bit careless…

 

Let’s see what I can find…

 

{Examine Piece of burnt wood} 

 

And bingo! This small piece of wood is laying right next to the incinerator door… the top of it is charred, that has to mean that it’s been incinerated.

 

The question is… what the hell is it from? It’s just a piece of wood… I can’t imagine what it was before it was burnt. Whatever it was, it must have been incriminating enough for the killer to destroy it! This is a crucial clue!

 

Hold on… next to it there’s… what looks like crumbs… Again, no idea what it could be. The crumbs smell kind of sweet… There’s no way I’m putting this in my mouth though, I don’t want to get poisoned of whatever.

 

 

Hm… this is definitely a big discovery, I have no idea what exactly it is that I just found but the fact that somebody tried getting rid of it… it must be important.

 

I’ll just put it in my jacket pocket, keep it close to my chest… this has the potential to be a trump card in the trial!

 

{BURNT PIECE OF WOOD added to truth bullets} 

 

{Talk to Tadao}

 

Oh boy… here goes nothing.

 

Hayato: Hey Tadao… have you found anything that could useful around here?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} …

 

Hayato: Tadao…?

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} The eye… pointed this out to me.

 

He answered?

 

Tadao: {Looks away} Take this… the eye believes that you will make better use of it than me.

 

He gave me a burnt piece of paper.

 

Tadao: This could be the key… do not… let it go to waste. {Leaves}

 

Well… that was just a regular day in office with this guy. I’m still unsure what his deal is, especially after what he did during last trial.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} And what about before 3:00 Hayato? Who were you with?

 

Before 3:00? The presumed time of the meeting… Wait, I was alone in the cafeteria at the time… Damn this won’t sound good… Nobody will back me up on my alibi!  

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Before 3:00 well I was-

 

Tadao: {Looks up} He was with me… in the cafeteria.

 

Tadao…? He… he wasn’t with me at the time! What is he doing.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Is that so?

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} Ask the eye… we both waited in the cafeteria for the ballerina to arrive. This is nothing but the truth.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Tadao lied to protect me… and I still don’t know why he’d do something like that.

 

Hopefully one day I’ll manage to have a proper conversation with him and talk it through.

 

Anyway, what is this that he gave me? It’s a folded piece of paper…

 

Now that I look at it more carefully, it looks like a letter but… the top of it has been burnt off… only the last few lines can be seen. It reads “If you want her to remain safe, you know what to do upupu, the deadline is two days from now, happy hunting!”

 

What… what the hell is this? This letter sounds like a threat more than anything else. Could this be what pushed the blackened to murder?

 

I… I need to ask Monokuma if he wrote this. Could this be yet another motive he didn’t tell us about?

 

Hayato: Hey Monokuma! Come out!

 

Monokuma: {Appears} Monokuma incorporated, you called?

 

Hayato: Cut the bullshit, I need to know if you wrote this letter… is this another one of your motives?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Take a chill pill bruda, no need to panic.

 

Monokuma: {Neutral expression} Now, let me see this letter.

 

I handed it to him and watched him read it with haste until…

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Who… who…

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Which one of you bastards dared to imitate me?

 

Hayato: Wait, you’re saying that you didn’t write this?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Of course not! D’you really think I write “upupu”, there’s no way I’d ever be that lame!

 

Hayato: Okay… then, so that means that somebody pretended to be you.

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Sure looks that way, what a shame that the rest of the letter is missing, I’m dying to see what I was imitated for…

 

Either Monokuma is lying or somebody really pretended to be him to send that letter… who did this and why? I honestly have no idea…

 

{THREATENING LETTER added to truth bullets} 

 

Monokuma: {Neutral expression} Say Hayato, is that all you needed from me? I’m not done with trial prep so I’m gonna have to leg it if you’re done with me.

 

Was that really all I wanted to ask him?

 

No, I have another question!

 

Hayato: Wait, I need to ask you something else!

 

Monokuma: Ugh, you teens… ever so demanding aren’t you? Make it quick.

 

Hayato: The gun you gave me… it’s got no bullets, is that your doing?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} What uh… no, of course not. Why do you ask?

 

Hayato: You’re not very good at lying you know?

 

Monokuma: I um… fine.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Your gun was given to you empty! You didn’t actually really have a weapon at all upupu!

 

Ngh… I was right!

 

Hayato: But why would you do that? Why am I the only one without a weapon?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} The only one? Oh no, you weren’t the only one…

 

Hayato: What… what the hell do you mean?

 

Monokuma: Because I’m in such a good mood, I’ll tell you about it!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} To spice things up a little bit, four of you were chosen at random to be given unusable weapons!

 

Hayato: W-what?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} You heard me, the gun, the machete, the taser and the baseball bat were all dull and useless!

 

Hayato: But… why? Doesn’t that go against your plans?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Don’t ask questions you don’t want the answers to…

 

Hayato: What does that mean?

 

Monokuma: {Neutral expression} I’ve already given you more than enough author boy, you should be able to figure out the rest by yourself…

 

Hayato: Wait!

 

Monokuma: Bye now. {Leaves}

 

 

Dammit, that just created more questions than I had before. At least, I know that nobody actually took the bullets out of my gun… still, it makes no sense to me why Monokuma would do something like this to us…

 

Between that threatening letter and now this… this case just gets more and more confusing.

 

{MONOKUMA’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets} 

 

 

Nothing else here sticks out as important, I’m starting to run out of ideas… I’ve basically investigated every place I could think of… and I still have no idea where to even begin explaining this case.

 

Maybe I should go to the black building’s aula and gather my thoughts… I feel like time’s almost over.

 

???: Here you are.

 

Huh? Somebody behind me just called out.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I have been looking for you… finally I have found you.

 

Hayato: Reijiro? You’ve been looking for me?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Yes, I want to go investigate the victim’s room, surely, there is something to find there… I think it would be wise not go alone in order to avoid suspicions.

 

Hayato: Why would it be suspicious?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Last case, the murderer used their alone time in the victim’s room to tamper with evidence. I do not wish for this to happen again.

 

He’s right… Fukami did do that last time didn’t she?

 

Hayato: Okay well let’s get going… I’m guessing you’re investigating the crime scene…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Correct, we have emptied the music room completely and still… no trace of that girl.

 

So they still haven’t found Oriana huh? Those footprints still indicate that she was there at some point… we have to find her eventually.

 

Reijiro: {Opens book} However, I did notice something about the grand piano in the music room.

 

Again with that piano? Why is he so obsessed with it? It’s probably unrelated to the case at hand…

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} The inside of the piano smells… sweet. Sickly sweet. That is anormal.

 

Hayato: Okay…? And what does that mean?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I do not know… nonetheless, abnormal details must be highlighted… even if they do not seem to be important.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I would therefore advise you not to forget this!

 

Hayato: If you say so…

 

The inside of the piano smells weird… how does that have anything to do with Rina’s murder? Ugh, I’ll just act like it matters and move on, can’t be bothered with arguing with this guy.

 

{OUT OF TUNE PIANO has been updated}

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Now that this has been taken care of… let us go to the victim’s room.

 

Hayato: Okay, let’s go.

 

We don’t have much time, let’s not waste it in talking…

 

{Auto-move to Rina’s room} 

 

{Rina’s room looks just like Hayato’s except there are some posters of her and other actors on the walls, Raiko and Reijiro are here}

 

As expected, Rina’s room is unlocked… I’m guessing Monokuma’s being consistent with what he told us last time.

 

Well, we better take advantage of it, there could be some clue about her actions before her death.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Are you done daydreaming?

 

Hayato: Agh… sorry.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Let us get to investigating then.

 

{Examine Posters}

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Hm, how self-indulgent can one be?

 

Hayato: What are you talking about?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The victim had posters of herself on her walls… I am not one to speak ill of the dead but… that does seem slightly conceited.

 

Hayato: Hm… Wait a second, you out of all people are saying something like that?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Me out of all people? What can you possibly be implying?

 

Seriously?

 

Hayato: Reijiro, you use bookmarks with your own face on them!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I do… what is the problem with that?

 

Hayato: Well, isn’t that self-indulgent?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} No, of course not, they are just higher quality than other bookmarks.

 

Ugh… who’s conceited now?

 

{Examine Desk} 

 

Beauty products of all kinds are scattered on the desk.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, this blow dryer is still plugged in… what a waste of electricity.

 

Hayato: Reijiro… she’s dead.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} I uh… sorry. I should avoid being this judgemental in such a situation.

 

At least he accepts it now.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} In more all seriousness though, we could probably learn a thing or two about the last things the victim did before leaving her room.

 

Hayato: Hm, you’re probably right… well, the blow dryer is plugged in and that nail polish bottle is still open… I’m guessing the last things she did here was…

 

Reijiro: Doing her hair and her nails. Therefore nothing out of the ordinary.

 

Hayato: Yeah…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} …

 

Hayato: …

 

Great talk.

 

{Examine Bedside table} 

 

Nothing too fancy on the table itself, might as well check the drawers though… we can’t be too careful.

 

 

Wait, is that…?

 

{Close-up on the drawer, Rina’s letter opener can be seen}

 

Reijiro: Hold on, that is the victim’s designated weapon is it not?

 

Hayato: Yeah…

 

{Flashback}

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Hurry up, I’m guessing it’s me next so move your ass.

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Well spotted Rina, your allocated weapon is a letter opener… you use it to… open letters.

 

Rina: {Exasperated} I know what a letter opener’s for, thank you.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: But what is it doing here? I mean, shouldn’t it have been on her?

 

Reijiro: Mmph… the way I say it there are only two possibilities.

 

Hayato: Which are?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Either the victim purposefully left it here… but that would imply that she purposefully chose to disobey Monokuma’s rules.

 

Hayato: Yeah, Monokuma said we’d be executed for that.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Correct, my second theory is that perhaps somebody brought it back here…

 

Hayato: But why would someone do that? This can’t be the murder weapon, right? We’re only allowed to kill using our own weapon so that’s not possible… the killer would also have been executed for breaking the rules.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Fair point… well, I guess that I do not know why somebody would go through the effort of bringing it back here…

 

Hayato: Looks like neither theory seems very plausible huh?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Well, do you have anything better to propose?

 

Hayato: Hm… no?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Then I guess my theories are all we have for the moment.

 

Fair enough…

 

Hayato: Other than the fact that it’s weird that the letter opener is in this room… don't these pink stains look kinda suspicious?

 

Reijiro: Pink stain?

 

{Close-up on the handle, there are small pink dots scattered around}

 

Hayato: What… is that thing?

 

Reijiro: Let me see… from the scent alone I would deduce that we are dealing with nail polish.

 

Hayato: Nail polish?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Correct, the colour also seems to match with the nail polish bottle on the victim’s desk…

 

Hayato: Huh, I think you’re right.

 

Reijiro: The question remains… how did nail polish get on the weapon’s handle…

 

Hayato: I mean, it kinda suggests that Rina held it in her hand right after doing her nails doesn’t it…?

 

Reijiro: {Glares} No, that would not work.

 

Hayato: It wouldn’t? Why not?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I propose you try to figure that one out by yourself… There is a clear reason for my doubts.

 

Hayato: So you’re saying it doesn’t make sense for that nail polish to be on the handle?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Correct, I will let you reflect on that later, we are not done investigating.

 

Hayato: Okay then.

 

I don’t see why it seems so weird to him… Nail polish can spread pretty easily when it’s still wet…

 

Well, if Reijiro says something is up, he’s probably got a reason… I just wish he’d tell me what he thought instead of letting me guess like that.

 

{RINA’S LETTER OPENER added to truth bullets}

 

{Talk to Raiko} 

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Hey there Hayato, have you figured out who the killer is yet?

 

Hayato: What? No! It’s pretty much impossible to know this early!

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Pf, talk for yourself…

 

Hayato: You’re still claiming that you know who did this aren't you?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} That’s right… why, do you not believe me?

 

Hayato: I just can’t imagine… how you’d know without being involved!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Who said I wasn’t involved?

 

Hayato: What!?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Only joking… you should have seen your face though…

 

This girl…

 

Hayato: And… I’m guessing that you won’t tell me what you know right?

 

Raiko: Of course not… I don’t want to spoil it for you! Either way, I’m sure you’ll figure it out all by yourself at the class trial.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} I have faith in you Hayato!

 

Hayato: I don’t want your support if it’s going to be like this…

 

Hayato: If you don’t have anything else to tell me I’ll go do something else.

 

I’m not wasting my time on this crazy bitch.

 

Raiko: Wait! Actually, there is one thing I wanted to talk to you about!

 

Hayato: And this isn’t you just messing with me?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} No, of course not! I’m just trying to help your investigation!

 

Ugh… I’m going to regret this but…

 

Hayato: I’m listening.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Cool, remember that Luminol Powder I hid in your room?

 

Hayato: Yeah… how could I forget that?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: What the hell are you doing.

 

Raiko: Calm down…  I need you to hide this for me.

 

{Camera shows a white vial labeled “Luminol Powder C8H7N3O2 ”}

 

Hayato: Hide it? This is… luminol? How the hell did you get this?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} It’s still in your room right?

 

Hayato: Yeah, I didn’t take it out of where your left it.

 

Raiko: Good… I’m going to need you to get it for me.

 

Hayato: What?

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Please! I need it. You won’t regret doing this for me.

 

She’s not going to leave me alone until I get it, right? I guess I have no choice.

 

Hayato: Stay here, I’ll be back.

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} You’re the best!

 

Yeah right…

 

{Fade to black} 

 

I quickly went to my room, which luckily was right next to Rina’s, and grabbed the luminol tube.

 

 

{Back in Rina’s room} 

 

Hayato: Alright Raiko, I’m back… what did you need this for?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Nothing in particular… just thought it’d be useful for later.

 

She took the luminol from my hands.

 

Hayato: Wait what?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} You wouldn’t have gotten it for me if I just said I wanted it back would you?

 

Hayato: You’re joking right?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Nope… sorry!

 

I knew I couldn’t trust her… ugh why am I so naive, it was so obvious as well.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Alright fine, I feel kinda guilty so I’ll give you something.

 

Hayato: I don’t want anything from you Raiko.

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Aw, that’s not very nice… c’mon accept it, accept it!

 

Hayato: I just want you to leave me alone seriously…

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I won’t leave you alone until you listen to me!

 

Oh for fucks’s sake…

 

Hayato: Fine, I’m listening…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Remember why this luminol powder is so important?

 

Hayato: Yes, you said that it’d help us identify the killer…

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Exactly… the killer had to have used their weapon to kill Rina… therefore a luminol test will be positive on the killer’s weapon.

 

Hayato: Then… why can’t we just test out everybody’s weapon and get it over with?

 

Raiko: I don’t think the group trusts me enough to let me do that…

 

Hayato: Well they trust me! They’ll understand if I explain it all to them.

 

Raiko: Well, that is fair… the only problem is that…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} You don’t have it anymore Hayato… I do.

 

Hayato: Wh-what?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Wouldn’t it just ruin all the fun if we could just find out who the killer was in a second?

 

Hayato: You… you…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} And don’t even think about just bringing it up at the trial… I’ll deny everything… {Evil smile} I don’t even have that powder!

 

Hayato: Why are you doing all this?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} C’mon… it’s a game… am I not allowed to wanna have fun?

 

She… tricked me into giving it to her and then made me realise it was the key to solve the case… this is all fun to her apparently.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} You’re angry… I can see it… You wish I were the killer don’t you? That way I’d just get executed and you could move on and forget about me!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Well… I’ve got bad news for you boo. Check it out

 

{Close-up on Raiko’s golf club} 

 

Raiko: The test came back negative! My weapon has no blood on it!

 

Raiko: Not that I know how I’d manage to slit someone’s throat with a golf club but that’s just a lousy detail

 

Hayato: Ggh…

 

{Back to normal}

 

Raiko: {Maniacal} Consider me innocent kyehehehehe!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} See you in court… Hayato. {Leaves}

 

 

I… I have no idea what the hell just happened then. All I know is that I’ve just been screwed massively… I… I should never trust her again. That thing is clear at least.

 

{LUMINOL POWDER added to truth bullets} 

 

 

I guess that’s it for Rina’s room… Reijiro is still snooping around but frankly I don’t have the patience to join him… This investigation has exhausted me.

 

I was pretty lost last time but this time… I genuinely have no clue where to begin nor any real suspects in mind…

 

Poor Rina… seeing all her stuff makes me sad… we were so close to saving her. If only we hadn’t waited…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Rina: {Over speaker} Help… HELP ME!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Rina? Is that you? How did you get access to Reijiro’s walkie talkie?

 

Rina: {Over speaker} Fusume is that you? You have to help me. There’s… there’s…

 

Fusume: What’s happening Rina! Tell us!

 

Rina: {Over speaker} There’s a body in the room with me!

 

Wait…

Hayato: WHAAAAT?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} A body… no… that’s simply impossible.

 

I… I can’t believe what I'm hearing… this has got to be some kind of joke. There’s no way that somebody’s dead!

 

Hayato: Rina! Who’s body is it?

 

Rina: {Over speaker} I… I…

 

Fusume: Tell us! Quickly!

 

Rina: {Over speaker} There’s blood everywhere… I’m all alone… please help me.

 

Hayato: WHO’S BODY IS IT!?

 

Fusume: She won’t answer under pressure Hayato there’s no point!

 

Fusume: Rina, can you tell us where you are?

 

Rina: {Over speaker} I’m in the m-music room…

 

Hayato: Okay we’ll be there in a second! Hang on Rina we’re coming.

 

Rina: {Over speaker} I… I…

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

That call… was literally instants before her death. It’s probably wise to remember carefully what she said.

 

{RINA’S CALL added to truth bullets} 

 

 

{Monitor in Rina’s room turns on} 

 

Monokuma: Knock knock, who’s there? IT’S THE CLASS TRIAL BABY!

 

Monokuma: I’ve had enough of waiting around and you definitely had enough time to investigate so why don’t you get your asses to the black building’s aula real quick so we can get this party started.

 

Monokuma: You’ve got five minutes, don’t be late.

 

{Monitor turns off} 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Hm, it appears our time is up… I hope that you are confident with the amount of investigation you have accomplished.

 

Hayato: I’m pretty happy with what I managed to do yes…

 

Even though I have no idea who the killer is just yet.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Very well, let us hope that we can identify the blackened… before it is too late.

 

Hayato: Yeah…

 

Hope… that’s all we can do at the moment…

 

I just hope that I’m good enough… I can’t fail everyone…

 

I need to find Rina’s killer.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I do not want to be late so I will get going now… are you coming?

 

Hayato: Yes sorry… Alright then, to the aula!

 

{Auto-move to the aula}

 

{The whole group minus Oriana is there} 

 

Hikari: {Sad} We all meet here once again…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Ggh… I don’t wanna…

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Once again… noch einmal we have to doubt each other.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That is the only way to survive the class trial… we have to doubt each other to trust each other better in the future.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} That… sounded deep I guess.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Is everybody here? The bear should not take long.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} No… we’re not all here. Oriana is still missing…

 

Jessie: {Sad} Oriana-chan… where are you?

 

Hayato: So you guys didn’t find her huh?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} We emptied the entire music room… but it was all for naught, she definitely wasn’t there.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} We’ve literally looked everywhere…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Well, she has to be somewhere right?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Do you think she’s dead?

 

Jessie: {Angry} No! Kôzuke-kun, don’t say such stupid things!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} S-Sorry!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Oriana-chan isn’t dead! That isn’t an option!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Then where do you propose she is?

 

Jessie: I… don’t know but-

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Pff… one can only hope I guess.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I do not want to be the bearer of bad news but there are only so many places she could be…

 

Kenji: {Looks down} Are you saying that we’ll eventually have to give up?

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Give up…? On Music box?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I just think that for the moment we should concentrate on this case and the class trial… we can… search for the girl again later.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side}  Search where man? We’ve already searched everywhere.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} I…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

Jessie: {Sad} Oriana-chan…

 

Hayato: Dammit… where can she be!

 

Monokuma: {Appears} I see I come at an opportune time! Your morale seems at an all time low.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Monokuma… do not rub it in.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Yeah, you shouldn’t act proud… y’know considering you don’t know where she is either…

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Oh you believed that? Duh, obviously I know where she is. This is my resort afterall.

 

Wait what?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} You know where Oriana-chan is?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Tell us. Now.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} No can do. You have a trial to attend. Now let me just summon the elevator and we can get to it-

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} You can’t!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Of course, I can. I make the rules here pretty boy.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Actually, you can’t.

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Um what?

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} What… you be sayin’ is?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah, Fusume explain yourself.

 

Fusume: You explicitly told us that you couldn’t break your own rules Monokuma.

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Yeah… I might have said that… and so what?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Why don’t you check Rule #5 of the resident rules then?

 

Hayato: Rule #5?

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} I have no idea… what you’re talking about uh…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Then let me refresh your memory. Rule #5 states that “Once a murder is committed, a class trial will take place. Participation to said trial is mandatory for all surviving residents”.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Hm… interesting.

 

Kôzuke: I don’t get it man…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Participation is mandatory for all surviving students… therefore if Oriana is still alive she has to participate in the class trial!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} And she is still alive! I’m sure of it!

 

Monokuma: I… uh… well you see…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Either she doesn’t come to the class trial and that proves that she’s dead or she’s alive and you have to summon her!

 

That’s actually really smart, she just turned Monokuma’s rule against him! Take that!

 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Upupupupupupupupu!

 

Fusume: {Surprised} Huh?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} You win, I’ll admit it. Oriana Akiba is not participating in this class trial.

 

Hayato: What?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} But that means that…

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} You be claimin’… that Music Box be dead?

 

Jessie: {Scared} NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Upupupupu! I won’t confirm or deny anything, I’ll just let you figure that out by yourself.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Huh, so she really is dead.

 

Oriana… dead? No, it can’t be. One murder was enough, we can’t take a second one… we just can’t!

 

Jessie: {Crying} Oriana-chan…

 

Kôzuke: {Hiding in helmet} Someone else… is dead you say?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Who cares about all that! You lot have a class trial to attend, now without any further ado!

 

Jessie: {Crying} Wait!

 

{Monokuma jumps in the air an pressed the reception’s calling bell. AN elevator appears from the fountain}

 

Monokuma: Now, Enter the elevator! {Red eye glowing} And all your answers will be questioned… or the other way around maybe...

 

Reijiro: What does that-

 

He didn’t finish that sentence.

 

The elevator doors opened and inside we saw…

 

Something I never could have thought of.

 

{In the far left corner of the elevator lies Oriana’s tied up body facing the wall}

 

Yoshi: That’s…

 

Jessie: ORIANA-CHAN!

 

{Back to normal}

 

We all rushed inside the elevator towards the ballerina’s limp body.

 

Jessie: {Crying} Please… please!

 

Shinto: Somebody check her pulse!

 

Fusume: {Confident} On it.

 

She pressed two fingers on her wrist and-

 

Fusume: {Shocked} I’ve got a pulse, steady one as well…

 

Fusume: {Confident} She’s just unconscious!

 

 

Jessie: {Crying} Huh? WAAAAAAAAAAA ORIANA-CHAN!!

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} She’s okay?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Thank god for that…

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Damn… the little girl scared the shit out of all of us didn’t she?

 

We all breathed a collective sigh of relief.

 

Oriana’s okay… I was so scared but… she’s okay, that’s all that matters.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Monokuma.

 

Monokuma: Yes?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Why did you tell us that she was dead?

 

Monokuma: {Surprised} Me? I did no such thing, I just said she wouldn’t be participating in the trial upupu!

 

Shinto: But… that would imply that-

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} You see, the poor girl has been very heavily drugged. She won’t wake up until another day or so… therefore I have to make an exception to the mandatory participation rule.

 

Raiko: I see… so that’s why.

 

She was drugged?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Either way, how did she even get in that elevator? We do not have access to it do we?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Nope, only I can summon the elevator when I see fit.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Then does that mean you brought her here?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Again, nope, it was one of you guys who drugged her and put her in this elevator.

 

Hayato: Wait, but that makes no sense… you just said we had no access to it!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Yes, please explain yourself Monokuma.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} And that’s a third nope, I have no reason to clarify myself. You lot will just have to figure out how she got here during the class trial!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} So you’re saying that whoever brought her here also killed Rina?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} I didn’t say that… I am just saying that Oriana’s disappearance may or may not be related to the case at hand.

 

This… just makes it all even more complicated… how the heck did anybody have access to the elevator. Is there some secret passage or something?

 

 

I’m confused.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Whatever it is… it’s your job to find out… AT THE CLASS TRIAL!!!

 

Hikari: Wait a moment please!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} No way jose! That’s enough stalling, we’re going to the trial grounds right motherfreaking now!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} If you’ll allow me I’ll bring Oriana to her room… the girl needs some rest.

 

Reijiro: {Glares} Hold on, are we not allowed to examine her body?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Body…? She isn’t dead bro…

 

Fusume: {Confident} No need Reijiro… I’ve already checked her out, she has no visible injuries… her body is clean.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Interesting… so only the drugs are responsible for her lack of consciousness… how peculiar.

 

{STATE OF ORIANA’S BODY added to truth bullets}

 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} I hope you’re done because I’m taking her away. I’ll meet you at the trial grounds! {Leaves}

 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Oriana… how did she get here?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} The real question is… who did this to her?

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} At least she’s okay… that’s what matters! I can’t wait to see her when she wakes up.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Well, first we need to survive the class trial man…

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Hey, we’ll survive, I believe in the group, I’m sure we’ll be okay!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Not everybody will survive. Either eleven of us walk out of there… or only one.

 

Yoko: {Sad} Ggh… we’re gonna lose someone else huh?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Whoever it is… killed Rina. They don’t deserve to be apart of the group anymore.

 

Yoko: {Tearing up} Could we just not do this…? I can’t take this a second time

 

Shinto: {Serious} I don’t want to send one of my friends to die but… we must.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You are correct, cornering the killer is the only way out of this place… therefore that is what we will do.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Confidence! I like it… let’s see if you guys can walk the walk then!

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Let’s see… how this plays out…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I hoped we would never have to enter that courtroom again but… we have no choice. This is for our survival.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} The killer… who can it be?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Ugh… it’s happening again!

 

Hikari: {Sad} Hayato…

 

Hayato: Yes?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} We need to make it past this trial.

 

Hayato: I know.

 

Hikari: We need to survive… whatever it takes.

 

 

On those words of semi-encouragement we all positioned ourselves in the elevator as the doors closed.

 

{Camera shows all 12 students in the elevator, all of them look uneasy and nervous}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCho8m4Zyc&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=13) 

 

Even though we’ve already been through this once… it doesn’t get any easier… being in that elevator, waiting for our fate to be sealed.

 

Rina… she might not have been the nicest to us but still… she was trying to get better… she was making a clear effort.

 

No matter all that, nobody deserved to die such a horrible death… and one of us is the horrible person who put her through that.

 

{Camera shows monochrome comic book style close ups of Reijiro, Kôzuke, Yoko, Shinto, Fukami and Raiko. Fukami has been reddened out}

 

And Oriana… we’ve been looking all around for her and now suddenly she appears in this very elevator, which none of us has access to. It all seems so impossible

 

It’s yet another locked room mystery… one for which I still don’t have the key... 

 

{Camera shows a similar fashion of close-ups of Kenji, Oriana, Jessie, Rina, Fusume and Kyia. Rina and Kyia’s portraits have been reddened out} 

 

I need to solve these mysteries… that’s the only way all 11 of us can walk out of that trial room and be there for Oriana once she wakes up.

 

Somebody here kidnapped her. Somebody here assaulted Reijiro. Somebody here… killed Rina.

 

Is it all the same person? Is it perhaps Caspian, the caped kidnapper who hides among our ranks?

 

{Camera shows Hayato, Hikari, Yoshi and Tadao in the same way, none of them have been reddened out}

 

At the end of the day… none of that matters.

 

The only thing that matters is that I’ll solve this case. I’ll find out who did all those terrible things and bring their crimes to light. For Oriana… for Rina and for us.

 

I need to solve it all…

 

Whatever it takes.






Notes:

The second class trial is about to start and you have all the clues necessary to find the killer out. Now's the time to comment your theories before the characters start revealing stuff themselves. As usual, reading your theories/comments make my day so don't hesitate.
I'll upload the truth bullets as a separate chapter before the end of the week and the next real chapter should come out sometime next week hopefully.
Thanks again for keeping up with the story. I hope to continue this for a long time.

I'll see you in the next one :)

Chapter 23: Chapter 2 : A Gentle Melody for a Lost Soul : Truth Bullets

Notes:

Once again, the truth bullets get their own separate chapter for practical reasons, don't hesitate to refer back to this when reading through the trial.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Monokuma File #2

The victim is Rina Ishido, the Ultimate Actress. The body was discovered in the music room. The estimated time of death is around 2:00 PM. The cause of death was suffocation. The victim likely choked on their own blood after their throat was slit with a sharp object. Death was close to immediate. There were no other injuries to be noted nor any traces of poison in the victim’s blood.

 

Ripped up glove

One of Rina’s gloves was found on the floor, badly ripped. The marks on the glove suggest that it was bit off her hand.

 

Fallen grandfather clock

The grandfather clock in the music room was pushed onto Rina’s body and therefore blocked her from getting back up. The clock is very heavy and could not be lifted off her after being dropped. The clock itself is broken and the time reads 2:02. We can therefore assumed that this is the time at which it fell.

 

Fusume’s account

Before we entered the music room, Fusume looked through the keyhole and saw Rina’s dark brown eye staring back at her. When Yoshi looked right after, the eye was gone. Rina was therefore still alive right until we entered the music room.

 

Out of tune piano

According to Reijiro, somebody untuned the music room’s grand piano on the day of the murder. Moreover, the piano strings smell “sickly sweet”. He therefore believes that the piano was tampered with.

 

Footprints in coffee puddle

Rina’s coffee cup was found spilled next to her body. There are two clear footprints in the puddle which face away from the room’s supply closet. The footprints are abnormally small and therefore point to someone with small feet.

 

Reijiro’s account

Reijiro was assaulted while investigating the area outside the yellow building. Until the moment of his aggression he is convinced that there was no one around him. He claims that if anyone was there, he would have heard/seen them.

 

“Bloody” stain on the window silll

There is a large red stain on the window sill of the music room. It looks like blood however it has a strong chemical smell. The substance which left the stain is still unknown

 

Allocation of weapons

 

Hayato = Gun

Fusume = Kunai

Rina = Letter opener

Reijiro = Baseball bat

Shinto = Bust of Monokuma

Jessie = Knife

Kôzuke = Rope

Hikari = Taser

Kenji = Machete

Yoko = Rapier

Yoshi= Hammer

Oriana= Poison vial

Tadao = Dumbbell

Raiko = Golf club

 

Sentenced window

The window in the arts and craft room has been nailed shut, it is therefore impossible to open it.

 

Talent Videos

On the morning before the crime, Reijiro, Kenji, Hikari and Hayato were all given tablets that included a “hopeful” video displaying everybody’s talents at work. The reason for that video and for those four alone receiving it are unknown.

 

Bloody handprint

There is a bloody handprint on the far wall of the music room. It doesn’t have the same chemical scent of the window sill stain, it can therefore be assumed that the two are different substances.

 

Grass irrigation

The resort’s whole grassy area undergoes irrigation between 1 and 3 PM. It is strictly forbidden by Monokuma to step on the grass during that time period.

 

80th Class File

This file lists information on every student in the class. The last page claims that the renowned “caped kidnapper” Caspian is actually one of the students. There is some information on Caspian’s appearance but it is not consistent enough to identify him.

 

Yoko’s account

Yoko and Kenji were at the pool together all morning. She claims that the observatory room was open right until the body discovery announcement.

 

Pairing motive

The students were paired up by Monokuma, whoever’s partner is killed will be punished, furthermore, if a student gets away with murder, their partner will graduate with them. The pairs go as follow :

Hayato - Fusume

Kôzuke - Hikari

Tadao - Raiko

Reijiro - Rina

Yoshi - Oriana

Kenji - Yoko

Shinto - Jessie

 

 

Missing ledge

The ledge between the archives’ window and the music room’s window has crumbled off. It seems to have been accidental rather than accomplished by a student.

 

Burnt piece of wood

This brown piece of wood was found next to the garbage room’s incinerator. It appears that it was burnt. it’s origin is unknown. Next to it were sweet smelling crumbs of an equally unknown origin.

 

Threatening letter

This letter was found next to the incinerator. Only the last sentence can be read : If you want her to remain safe, you know what to do upupu, the deadline is two days from now, happy hunting”. Monokuma claims that he is not the one who wrote it.

 

Newspaper article

A newspaper article describing the murder of a mob boss’ secretary. The main suspect in the murder was Caspian. It should be noted that this murder is very similar to Rina’s in its execution.

 

Monokuma’s account

The gun, the machete, the taser and the baseball bat were all useless and could not actually be used as weapons. This was done to “spice things up” according to Monokuma.

 

Rina’s letter opener

Rina’s letter opener was found in her bedside table drawer. We do not know if somebody brought it back here or if she left it there herself. There are nail polish stains on the handle which, according to Reijiro, is strange.

 

Luminol Powder

This powder could be used to determine which weapon had blood on it. It is currently in Raiko’s possession, she will not let us use it. Her weapon reacted negatively, it implies that she's innocent.

 

 

Rina’s call

Rina called us through Reijiro’s walkie talkie right before her death. She was panicked and claimed to have been alone in the music room with a body. We do not know whose body it was as her body was the only one there when we entered the music room.

 

State of Oriana’s body

We found Oriana’s body in the elevator leading to the trial grounds. She was tied up, had no visible injuries and didn’t seem to have any traces of blood on her.

Notes:

So that's that, the actual start of the trial is about halfway finished, I should probably get it done sometime next week so keep posted :)
Thanks again for reading and see you in the next one!

Chapter 24: Chapter 2 : A Gentle Melody for a Lost Soul : Class Trial part 1

Notes:

And so the second trial begins…

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The first thing I noticed upon entering the trial grounds was… how different it looked.

 

{The trial room consists of sixteen podiums set up in a circle, this time the walls display neon signs reminiscent of the streets of broadway. The floor is covered by a circular red carpet}

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Oh, that’s right! I’ve been redecorating! Looks good right?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I mean… it looks better than last time.

 


Kôzuke: {Worried} Don’t say nice things to him! He doesn’t deserve it.

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} Well, not gonna lie, I’m loving it. I feel like a celebrity!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Hold on, Monokuma,  is this a dig at Rina?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} I uh… have no idea what you’re talking about.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} So you’re saying it’s a total coincidence that this is quite clearly “Ultimate Actress” themed.

 

Monokuma: I um…

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} C’mon, I pulled the red carpet out for y’all! Don’t break my balls about it.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} The bear… has balls?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} We’ve already had this conversation before Yoshi man… please be quiet!

 

Yoshi: {Sad} Aw… my bad.

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} Look at all the stars… look at them Shinto! Look!

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Yeah, I’ve seen them.

 

Kenji: {Pulling on shirt collar} Ugh… can we just get started?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I have to agree. We should not waste time here.

 

Hikari: No objections from me.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Hehehehe, can’t wait!

 

Hayato: Let’s get started then.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Okidokers, why don’t y’all get to your podiums, I’m sure you remember where you were positioned last time!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Time to get this party started!

 

Yes… it’s time… to fight for our lives, once again!

 

 

{Everyone is standing in front of their podium but Monokuma who sits on a tall golden lifeguard chair. In front of Kyia’s, Fukami’s and Rina’s podiums are black and white portraits}

 

Kyia’s portrait was already quite shocking last time but these ones… I’m pretty sure that Fukami’s X is made of two dollar bills while Rina’s is made of two oscar trophies.

 

Monokuma just openly mocks the dead doesn’t he?

 

Pathetic…

 

Monokuma: Now, before anything else, let me give you a little refresher on the rules of this trial.

 

Monokuma: When you’ve reached a decision, you will vote on “whodunnit” thanks to the tablets in front of you.

 

Monokuma: The outcome of the trial depends on your votes: If you get it correct, then the blackened alone is executed for disrupting order.

 

Monokuma: However, if you get it wrong… Then the real culprit will leave the resort unharmed, and all the remaining residents will be executed instead.

 

Monokuma: I hope that was clear! Now let’s get this second despair-filled trial finally started!

 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Uh… is it me or did you already make that exact speech last time around?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Yeah, well I like making myself clear… I know what you teens are like.

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Never paying any attention to the adults! Always on your Iphones and your Ipods and your Ipads and your I… whatever!

 

Monokuma: {Happy} So I repeat myself! Like this you can’t just tell me “oh but please mister Monokuma, I didn’t understand”!

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} …

 

Kenji: {Snickers} You done with the rant grandpa?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Yup sorry. Over to you guys.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Alright, enough with the futilities and the time wasting. We should get straight into the thick of it.

 

Yoshi: {Poses} The Yosh’ agrees wholeheartedly!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Wait but where oughta we be startin’ though?

 

Shinto: I mean, he makes a fair point… last time the starting point was pretty obvious.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Yeah, you guys were all convinced that those three were the only potential suspects!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That was all on you Raiko… you convinced everyone else that one of us had done it… even though you knew we were innocent.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Oops…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Who cares, that’s all in the past anyways.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} …

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Well, even though we were wrong with our initial accusations last time… it was nice to have a starting point.

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} I’m with you Kenji man… I have no idea where to begin with this one… no one’s out right suspicious.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} I mean… Raiko’s pretty suspicious but I guess that’s just natural for her.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Accuse me if it makes you feel happy! Why don’t you just vote for me already!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Enough. If we take things from the beginning and think logically, a suspect is bound to emerge.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hm… I hope that you’re right.

 

Yeah… it’s useless to point fingers at the moment, we have no real suspects…

 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Hm, Reijiro… are you okay?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Yes… I am just thinking about what happens to me after the trial is done.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} What be happenin’ to you?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Well, my partner is dead, therefore I should get punished according to Monokuma’s rule.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Oh my…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I was wondering when that would come up…

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Guys, guys, the punishment won’t happen until after the trial, concentrate on the case!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} But… but…

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} I already told you, the punishment won’t be an execution so don’t worry about good old Reijiro he'll survive… unless he is the killer of course!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} What… could it be?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} You’ll have to make it through the trial to find out.

 

So Reijiro’s going to get punished no matter what… that hardly seems fair…

I hate to say it but the bear is right… we need to concentrate on the trial right now, we’ll see what we can do for Reijiro later.

 

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera lense} Either way, tell me Reijiro, what is the starting point you’re talking about then? What do you want us to begin with?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glass} My thinking is that the problem with this murder is how impossible it seems. 

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} Impossible?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Why yes… it is a locked room mystery after all.

 

Fusume: {Confident} The only way out was the door… and we know for sure that it was locked from the inside…

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} That is, until we came bargin’ in…

 

Shinto: {Confused} But then… how did the killer get out of there?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} This is the question that I am asking… before trying to figure out who did it… we need to understand how it was done.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} And to do so, we need to find out how the killer escape the locked room.

 

Jessie: {Determined}Ок схватам! Let’s put our minds together then, we need to talk escape routes!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Ok, who wants to start?

 

 

It’s happening again… people are going to argue without break, still I definitely need to make sure that we’re all on the same page!

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : 80th Class File, Monokuma’s Account, “Bloody” stain on the window sill, Ledge missing, Fusume’s account}

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} So that music room… it was really locked wasn’t it?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes, I am absolutely sure of it…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The door was locked from the inside, that’s why we had to break in!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Well, if the door wasn’t an option, maybe the killer got out through the window?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The music room is very high up…  surely falling out of that window would have killed the blackened…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} It seem foolish to assume the blackened would have taken such a risk…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… don’t wanna hear about anyone else falling from a window…

 

Shinto: {Leans on cane} The thing is there were two other rooms on the same floor!

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Surely the killer could have gone out through the music room window and entered one of the other rooms through there!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I mean… I was in the arts room at the time… and I didn’t see anyone…

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} That means that the killer escaped through the archives!

 

Yoko: {Blank expression} Is it… really that simple?

 

 

Reijiro’s right… it’s crucial to find out how the killer escaped. I just need to think back to what I already know… something feels wrong in what that person just said.

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Ledge missing → The killer escaped through the archives!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} It is???

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yeah, sorry Kôzuke but there was no way for the killer to escape through the archives.

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} W-What? how do you know that for sure man?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Simple… the ledge between the archives and the music room is missing.

 

Jessie: {Scared} It’s missing? Comment c’est possible?

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Wait a moment, are you saying that the killer made that ledge disappear?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} N-no… that’s definitely not what I’m saying…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Judging from the state of that ledge… I think it just crumbled off naturally, the killer had nothing to do with that.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Hm… I see.

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Monokuma, d’you know about this?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} …

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Fine! There are some bits and pieces of the resort that might be falling to pieces… So what?! One bear can’t do all that renovation by himself!

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Mmph, I believe that this is confirmation that the ledge did crumble off by itself.

 

Hayato: {Determined} And without that ledge it’s impossible to reach the archive window from the music room window.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Huh… guess I was wrong then.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} It’s okay bro, don’t let it keep you awake at night!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Actually… you did tell us something that could be quite important…

 

Jessie: {Scared} Was?

 

Kenji: He did?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I did?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Why yes…

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Let me explain it to all of you!

 

What trick does she have in mind now? I should probably listen cautiously…

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Sentenced window, Monokuma File #2, Newspaper Article, Footprints in coffee puddle, Luminol powder}

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Thanks to Hayato, we know for sure that the killer couldn’t have gone out through the archives…

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Yeah, I believe that’s probably a fact… no doubt about it

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} But that leaves another window for the killer to escape from.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Are you talking about the arts and craft room?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Yup, using Kôzuke’s logic we can also assume that the killer used that window to escape the crime scene

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hey… wait a second, I was in the arts and craft room at the time of the crime.

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} And I know for a fact that no one came through that window

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I guess that’s your theory out the window Raiko…

 

Yoshi: {Poses} HAHAHAH! OUT THE WINDOW!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That wasn’t on purpose… shut up clown.

 

Raiko: Well, the only thing negating my theory is the fact that Kôzuke says so…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} But can anybody prove that he wasn’t the one who used the window?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} Wait what? You’re accusing me? I’m totally innocent man!

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I’m just stating the possibility… it’s logical to assume the killer could have used that window.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} And that would therefore make you, Kôzuke, very suspicious!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Ggh… I’m not the killer seriously… please believe me.

 

 

Could the killer really have escaped using the arts and craft window…? If so then Kôzuke definitely just incriminated himself! I need to think of how plausible Raiko’s claims are first.   

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Sentenced window → the killer used that window to escape the crime scene

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Determined} Raiko! What you’re saying isn’t possible!

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} It’s not?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I’m afraid not… the window in the arts and craft room could not have been used… simply because it was impossible to open!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} The hell does that mean?

 

Hayato: That window was sealed shut by a nail… in other words it was sentenced!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hm, if the window was sentenced then it would have been impossible for anybody to go through it.

 

Hayato: {Determined} And therefore there is no way that the killer used that as an escape route.

 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Okay then, guess I was wrong.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Phew… I seriously thought you guys were gonna start accusing me.

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} I’m 100% innocent man!

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} If ya be sayin’ so…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I believe this matter is closed then.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Hm, but if the killer didn’t go out in one of the neighbouring rooms nor through the door… then how the hell did they escape?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s the question…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I honestly can’t think of how the killer could have done it.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical}  ejja naħsbu hekk… the door was locked from the inside and there was no way to use the window… then how?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I… I can’t think of anything either!

 

The door was definitely locked from the inside we know that for sure… and we know that neither neighbouring rooms were reachable from outside the building…  

 

Kenji: I’ve got an idea

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Kenji-kun?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} What if they did like in the movies and used like a rope or something to slowly carry themselves down to the ground!  

 

Yoko: {Pulling on choker} Hm… I guess that could have worked.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Hm, however do you have any form of proof for that theory?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Well no but I’m just saying it’s a possibility.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} No it’s not.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Wait what?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} If the culprit had done what you say they did, then the rope would still be attached to the window would it not?

 

Kenji: {Sweating} Well uh…

 

Reijiro: It would have been impossible to get rid of that rope after using it… However, there was no such rope when we investigated the crime scene was there?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Fine I give up… way to shit on my ideas. I was just trying to be helpful you know.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} You did your best… that is all that matters.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} He’s provoking me! He’s fucking doing it on purpose, the prick!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Guys seriously! Now’s not the time.

 

Jessie: {Sad} The thing is… I think we’re kinda stuck here.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} What do you mean Jessie?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical}  Walang sala, but I feel like we’ve reached a dead end.

 

Jessie: {Searches through backpack} We honestly have no idea how the killer got out… I think that much is clear.

 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I hate to admit it but… Jessie has got a point. We have proposed multiple theories and none of them seem to work in the end.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I tried my best okay!

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} It’s not anybody’s fault, we simply do not have enough information to figure that much out just yet.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Ya think so?

 

Fusume: Yes… I believe we should try to move on and come back to this later once we have a better knowledge on what happened today.

 

Shinto: {Leans on cane} Huh, I guess that it makes sense.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I am not one to give up but we are simply going to turn full circle if we focus too much on the escape route for the moment.

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} But didn’t you say that we had to focus on how the crime worked before anything else?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I did say that… however, the fact is that someone did kill her… and they had to escape some way.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We will eventually figure out how but for the moment we should focus on something else.

 

Fusume: Our time in this trial room is probably finite. Therefore wasting time is not the best idea.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} When you put it that away I guess it makes sense..

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Fair enough… is everybody okay with moving on to something else then?

 

Nobody said anything but I guess the silence means that no one has a problem with that.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Fine, we can come back to this later then but… where do we go next?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Well, the next logical step would be to talk about-

 

Yoshi: {Poses} No need for all them things!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} What?

 

Yoshi: {Bows} The Yosh’ oughta have it all figured out!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Yoshi-kun… what are you saying?

 

Yoshi: I be knowin’ exactly who the killer be!

 

What???

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Yoshi… you say that you know who killed Rina?

 

Yoshi: {Proud} Yup! the Yosh’ know it all!

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} Could it be? Does Yoshi really know it so early?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Somehow, I don’t think he does!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Hey! Don’t be underestimatin’ my skill!

 

Oh boy… I feel like I’m going to regret asking this but…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well then, tell us Yoshi, who do you think is the killer?

 

Yoshi: {Poses} It be obvious to me… the blackened be…

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} Caspian!

 

Wait… what?

 

Yoshi: {Proud} The caped kidnapper oughta done it! The Yosh be certain of that!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You think that… Caspian did it?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} I knew it’d come to this hehehe! I told you that Caspian was one of us didn’t it?

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} I didn’t want to believe it… back then…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Caspian…?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Kyehehe… this is getting interesting.

 

Kenji: We don’t even know for sure that this bastard is one of us.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Didn’t we agree that it was very probable that he was though?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Still, probable and certain ain’t the same…

 

Hikari: {Sad} But Yoshi… why do you think that Caspian is the killer?

 

Yoshi: {Proud} It be simple ya see… the Yosh’ took a good look at that news paper article that Evil Genius be showin’ us!

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Evil genius? I think that’s me hehe!

 

{Flashback} 

 

{Close up on the article, the headline reads: “The Caped Kidnapper wanted for murder!”, a picture of a dark silhouette is shown on a wanted poster}

 

Wanted for murder? What the hell? I thought this guy only kidnapped people…

 

{The article reads : “If you doubted whether the Caped Kidnapper was a criminal or not, this should be proof enough, Caspian’s mission to kidnap Tetsuji Kuzuryu ended with the death of his personal secretary Kanna Muratagi”}

 

What is this…?

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Yoshi: {Angry} Da guy’s a murderer! If anybody here oughta be killin’, it be him!

 

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Yoshi… that’s a fair point but… do you know who Caspian actually is?

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} As in… which of us he be? No, the Yosh’ ain’t aware of that information.

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} …

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} …

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} …

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Hm… why oughta y’all be quiet like that?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Should I be the one to break it to him?

 

Yoshi: Break what?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Everybody’s thinking that your contribution was useless Yoshi.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Awawawa! But… but…

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Hey, it wasn’t useless… it’s just… a bit underwhelming.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Yeah… underwhelming, that’s the word.

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} You guys don’t understand…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} What was that?

 

Yoshi: {Poses} Nothin’! It appears the Yosh’ be mistaken!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Well, you’re not necessarily mistaken Yoshi… It’s actually quite possible that Caspian’s the killer.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} It is?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yeah, I have to agree with Yoshi.

 

Never thought I’d ever say that…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} One of us here is a known criminal and potentially a murderer…

 

Hayato: It seems logical to me to assume that this person is the killer in this case!

 

Hayato: {Determined} This is why I think we should try to determine who Caspian is!

 

Yoko: {Close-up} YOU’RE OUT OF YOUR MIND!

 

{Split screen between Hayato and Yoko}

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} If nobody’s gonna say it then I will. This whole Caspian story doesn’t hold up one second!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} It doesn’t?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Nope, let me show you what I mean!

 

Alright, I guess I better hear what she’s going to say… I’m pretty convinced that Caspian is a person of interest in this case though… she’s going to have to make a great argument to convince me otherwise!

 

===

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

{Truth Blades: Rina’s phone call, Weapon allocation, 80th Class File, Burnt piece of wood, Talent videos}

 

Yoko:

 

So I think it’s pretty obvious but I’ll say it for you all…

 

This Caspian story sounds like baloney to me.

 

I feel like that sort of stuff is just urban legend

 

Mystery criminal…

 

My ass!

 

ADVANCE

 

Hayato: I’m pretty sure that Caspian is more than just an urban legend…

 

Yoko:

 

Okay fine, maybe he exists.

 

Still, there’s no proof that he’s actually here with us,

 

Nobody here strikes me as super criminal material!

 

That’s why we should stop talking about him…

 

and concentrate on actually suspicious people.

 

Wouldn’t you agree?

 

 

Yoko wants proof that Caspian is related to us and to this case… I think I’ve got just the thing she wants!

 

===

 

 

 


SOLUTION : 80th Class File → there’s no proof that he’s actually here with us

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} You gotta stop screaming like that Hayato. We can hear you perfectly fine

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Argh… sorry, it’s become a habit.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Either way, I actually do have proof that Caspian is one of us.

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Aw… you do?

 

Sorry Fusume… I know you wanted to keep this hidden but I have to.

 

Hayato: {Determined} This file… we found it in the archives… it talks about each and every one of us.

 

Kenji: {Excited} It does? What does it say about me?

 

Raiko: Shut up. Let him continue.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well, the very last page… why don’t you look at it for yourself.

 

 

Jessie: {Scared} Huh? “The caped kidnapper to replace a student of class 80"?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} And you’re saying that we’re this 80th class?

 

Fusume: {Confident} The file does seem to indicate that.

 

Hayato: Fusume… I’m sorry.

 

Fusume: {Softly} Don’t worry about it… it had to come out eventually.

 

Yoko: {Runs hand through hair} Wait a moment please! What if this file was a fake huh?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I guess that it is a possibility but-

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Nope nope nope. This file is 100% accurate, all the info is legit and Caspian is definitely one of the thirteen surviving residents.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So it’s not Kyia, Fukami nor Rina then…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} And why should we trust the bear that this is all true?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Perhaps because you have no other choice than trusting me upupu.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Ggh… fucking…

 

Fusume: {Confident} We shouldn’t just argue on the veracity of this file… Monokuma has been pretty truthful when it comes to that kind of stuff so you know… I propose we just accept the fact that Caspian is here with us.

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Ok, maybe so… but even if he’s here, how do we know that he’s related to the crime?

 

That’s… actually quite an important question, his involvement in Rina’s murder is still really vague in my mind.

 

Yoshi: {Angry} Caspian’s a criminal! Ain’t it obvious that he be the prime suspect?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It would be naive to accuse him just because of his past… let’s all be rational and logical about this.

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Newspaper article, Bloody handprint, Burnt piece of wood, Missing ledge, Rina’s call }

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Yoshi does have a point…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} One of us is already an alleged murderer.

 

Fusume: That person has got to be suspicious.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} However, that’s not enough for us to accuse him just yet.  

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I guess that we need some type of proof that connects Caspian and this murder then!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Maybe… there was something at the crime scene that incriminates Caspian!

 

Yoshi: {Poses} Or perhaps there be a discernin’ feature to help us recognisin’ the guy!

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Huh, what about the modus operandi of the murderer

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Maybe that can be useful to us

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} I feel like all that would be too easy…

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} We’re dealing with someone who’s never been caught by the police after all!

 

Hikari: {Hurt} This is all too complicated… maybe we should just forget about this Caspian guy and just move on.

 

 

Sorry Hikari but… we definitely can’t move on just yet. I just need to find a way to link Caspian and Rina’s death… there’s gotta be something surely!

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Newspaper article → the modus operandi of the murderer

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Shinto} YEAH YOU’RE RIGHT!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Shinto’s right. If we compare the blackened’s MO with Caspian’s… we’ll quickly see similarities.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Em Oh…? What does that mean man?

 

Jessie: {Happy} Modus Operandi , it’s latin… it means like his way of working.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I mean, I see where you’re going bro but… do we know anything about Caspian’s way of doing stuff?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Yes we do, thanks to that newspaper article!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} The article?

 

{Side by side comparison of Kanna Muratagi and Rina’s body}

 

Hayato: Check out the victim in that case the newspaper talks about.

 

Jessie: Aue taku atua, the body looks really similar to Rina-chan’s!

 

Raiko: They are both laid out against a wall in the same manner and both suffered the same injury.

 

Raiko: This is no coincidence…

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hayato: {Determined} You see! There are too many similarities between Rina’s murder and the one Caspian was accused of! The cases have to be linked.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… however, why would the caped kidnapper purposefully recreate his previous crime?

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} As I said… maybe it was subconscious!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Or maybe it was a copycat crime… and somebody here tried to impersonate Caspian!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} And that would mean that the killer is someone who knew enough about Caspian to frame him!

 

Hayato: Either way, this proves that the cases are connected!

 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} That’s really cool and all but… we still don’t know who Caspian actually is so… does it really help?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Well uh… you know.

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I mean it is helpful definitely… but we probably need more information before we can figure out who Caspian is.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Aw… have we reached another dead end?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} It appears we have.

 

Dammit. They’re kinda right… we have no idea who Caspian could be… maybe it’s wiser to come back to it once I have a clearer picture in my mind.

 

Still, I maintain that the cases are linked! Caspian is definitely important to the case.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} However frustrating it might be… I’m afraid we will have to change our line of thinking once again to something more concrete…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} First the escape route… now Caspian. We’re fucking wasting time with all these dead ends.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I would not say that we have wasted our time… we just need to come back to these leads later.

 

Kenji: Tch… whatever.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Well then, what should we talk about next?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Why don’t we quit the abstract talk and focus on something concrete for once.

 

Fusume: {Confident} That’s probably a good idea.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Then why don’t we discuss the murder weapon? After all, we still don’t know what it could have been do we?

 

Raiko?

 

Fusume: I suppose that you’re right… let’s concentrate on finding the murder weapon next.

 

Alright, because of the motive, finding the murder weapon basically means finding the culprit… this is crucial, I need to think about what comes next carefully.

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Pairing motive, Allocation of Weapons, Rina’s letter opener, Monokuma File #2, State of Oriana’s body }

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} So we’re looking for the murder weapon yeah?

 

Hikari: {Sad} There was nothing that resembled a weapon next to the body…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I mean, every single one of us has got a weapon now…

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Surely, the murder weapon’s one of them.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} And if we figure out the murder weapon…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} we’ll automatically know who the killer is.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Maybe it’s one of our allocated weapons… but which one?

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} There’s no actual way to narrow down suspects!

 

Jessie: {Scared} Ahh… I don’t even know where to start looking!

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Might as well be guessin’, it be one chance out of thirteen!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} You really have the worst ideas Yoshi you know that?

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Thank you, thank you.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} N-no… don’t thank me.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Ugh, forget it.

 

 

Figuring out the murder weapon is crucial in this case… I still don’t quite know which weapon was used but somebody definitely just said something that didn’t make sense. I should point it out to everyone.

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Allocation of Weapons → There’s no actual way to narrow down suspects!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Actually Yoko, there’s a pretty simple way to narrow down the suspicious weapons and their owners.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Huh, is that so…?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Is it not obvious… not all weapons can be used to injure the victim in that specific way

 

Hayato: As a reminder, here’s a list of all the weapons and their owner:

“Hayato = Gun

Fusume = Kunai

Rina = Letter opener

Reijiro = Baseball bat

Shinto = Bust of Monokuma

Jessie = Knife

Kôzuke = Rope

Hikari = Taser

Kenji = Machete

Yoko = Rapier

Yoshi= Hammer

Oriana= Poison vial

Tadao = Dumbbell

Raiko = Golf club”

 

Fusume: {Confident} Rina’s throat was slit… that is the cause of death.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} We're therefore looking for sharp weapons.

 

Yeah… only weapons that could be use to inflict such a would should be taken in consideration.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} If my notes are correct the following weapons are plausible: the kunai, the letter opener, the knife, the machete and the rapier.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Yes… I believe that is correct.

 

Raiko: And considering that only the owners of those weapons could have killed Rina…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} That means our pool of suspects has just reduced drastically.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Yeah! We’re left with Fusume, Jessie, Kenji, Yoko and… Rina herself!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Ggh…

 

Kenji: {Furious} Hey! I’m fucking innocent here! Don’t drag me in this shit seriously!

 

Yoko: {Angry} I was with Kenji all day and I can tell you that both him and I are innocent!

 

Kenji: {Furious} That’s right, fuck you all!

 

Shinto: {Pissed off} Hey, wait a second! Jessie didn’t do anything either! I can vouch for her!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Huh… you defend her as well now… I see how it is.

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} I’m not just gonna let people think Jessie killed Rina when I know that she’s innocent.

 

Yoko: Yeah… I’m sure that’s all it is.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Well, I know for a fact that Fusume is innocent but-

 

Kenji: {Furious} IT’S JESSIE!

 

What?

 

Kenji: {Pulling on shirt collar} It’s not Yoko nor me, so if it’s not Fusume it’s gotta be Jessie.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Why me? What have I done to you Kenji-kun?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} It ain’t about that, you’re just hella suspicious!

 

Shinto: {Pissed off} How is she suspicious? I just told you I was with her all morning.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Typical…

 

Shinto: {Boiling} What d’you say to me?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Well how do we fucking know that the two of you didn’t do this to Rina together!

 

Shinto: {Boiling} I’d never kill anyone! Yoko tell him!

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} I…

 

Shinto: Are you kidding me right now!?

 

Yoshi: {Angry} And what if it be Fusume and Hayato?!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} What?

 

Yoshi: {Flips hair} Peeps backin’ up other peeps’ alibis don’t mean nothin’! Y’all could be lyin’ to protect your partner!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I mean… that’s partially true but maybe we should think about it calmly-

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} How dare you Yoshi…?

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} I’m just speakin’ the truth.

 

Kenji: {Furious} That’s what I was saying! That’s why pretty boy and Jessie are the suspicious ones here!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} And why are you two any less suspicious than us huh?

 

Shinto: {Boiling} That’s right… {looks to the floor} but… Yoko…

 

Kenji: {Snickers} What’s wrong pretty boy? Can’t take shifting the blame on your girlfriend?

 

Shinto: {Pissed off} Call me pretty boy one more time and I swear to god you’ll regret it.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Oh yeah? And what are you going to do about it? Kill me like you killed Rina?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Guys calm down! We shouldn’t argue like that!

 

This is getting out of hands quickly…

 

Hayato: Fusume, help me here.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} …

 

Hayato: Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} I can’t believe you have the balls to accuse me like this.

 

Oh no…

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Uh… you be scarin’ me… quit lookin’ at me like that.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} …

 

 

What the heck is going on? Everybody’s arguing on top of each other again… I need to calm them down… somehow.

 

Kenji: {Furious} SHINTO AND JESSIE DID IT!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Por favor! We’re innocent.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I have nothing to do with this case dammit!

 

===

 

MASS PANIC DEBATE BEGINS 

 

{Truth Bullets : Fusume’s account, Yoko’s account, Reijiro’s account, Monokuma’s account}

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Considering we all have alibis… Jessie is the biggest suspect!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Shinto-kun can back up my alibi!

 

Fusume: …

 

 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} And because Shinto’s lying to protect her… he likely helped her kill Rina!

 

Jessie: I never even went close to that music room!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Yoshi… how do you have the audacity to say I did this?



 

Shinto: {Pissed off} What the hell are you on about, Jessie and I also have an alibi!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Then where were you all morning huh?

 

Fusume: We were at the floor above you! You saw Hayato and I with your own eyes!



 

Kenji: Well you could be lying to protect each other couldn’t you?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} In the observatory! I’m innocent, lo giuro!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Hey! allz I be sayin’ is that we oughta make sure peeps have proper alibis!



 

Shinto: {Boiling} So could you! How do I know you actually were with Yoko this morning? I bet your machete’s the murder weapon

 

Yoko: {Angry} He brought you to the observatory? But that’s our…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} And tell me, how is my alibi not proper?



 

Reijiro: {Smug} I believe I have something to say on the matter-

 

Yoko: That’s it, you’re definitely guilty you bitch!

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} Well, Hayato could be lyin’…



 

Kenji: {Furious} Shut up you. C’mon Shinto say it… you’re starting to suspect Yoko aren't you ?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Girls, there’s no point in arguing like that.

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} That way, both of you graduate…



 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} I… I…  

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Who you calling a bitch!? you’re just as suspicious as I am!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} But… but… we’d never… I’d never…

 

 

Oh boy… they’re all talking over each other and making it hard to understand who says what. Either way, I think I can prove one person innocent, I think that might already calm them down.

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Monokuma’s account → I bet your machete’s the murder weapon

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Determined} One thing’s for sure… and that’s that Kenji’s machete can’t be the murder weapon.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} It can’t?  Why… why the heck not?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Alright! I told your sorry ass that I was innocent!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I had a conversation with Monokuma during my investigation… turns out that some of our weapons were unusable.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} O quê!??

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What do you mean unusable.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} I’ll answer that. Four of you have been randomly selected to be given dummy weapons.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Dummy weapons… so you mean that-

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} That’s right! You could hardly cut through an apple with that piece of junk!

 

Kenji: {Furious} You gave me… a false weapon! Why me?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} As I said, the selection was random,

 

Monokuma: I wanted to spice up the game and look at that, thanks to me you’re no longer considered a suspect!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I’m not?

 

Hayato: The sole basis of the accusation against you was that your weapon could have killed Rina!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} However, now that this hypothesis is off the table…

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} I’m off the hook! Alright!

 

Monokuma: You are welcome… now I’ll let you guys discuss among yourself again upupu…

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} So… that means Kenji’s no longer considered a suspect right?

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} But… but…

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Haha suck it!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Kenji… stop being so aggressive, seriously.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Me, aggressive? Don’t know what you’re talking about!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Wait, so who else had a dummy weapon apart from Kenji’s?

 

Monokuma said the unusable weapons were the machete, the taser, the baseball bat and the gun so that means…

 

Hayato: I believe it was myself, Kenji, Hikari and Reijiro.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Me?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} That means all the times you said you’d tase me that was bullshit?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} I was joking, you idiot.

 

Kôzuke: Didn’t sound like a joke to me…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I was one of the chosen ones huh…? how interesting.

 

Hayato: Anyway, now that we know that Kenji’s machete couldn’t be the murder weapon, it’s clear that we have no more reason to suspect him.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} And that means that it’s Jessie who killed Rina. Point. Proven.

 

Shinto: {Boiling} How does that prove anything!?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Yeah! Yoko-chan could just as well be the killer!

 

Jessie: Shinto-kun! Tell them I’m innocent!

 

Shinto: {Sad} But… it can’t be Yoko either.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} What are you doing? You know that I didn’t do it!

 

Shinto: But…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Actually, I believe that I can prove somebody innocent here.

 

Yoshi: You can?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Reijiro! Tell us, who is it?

 

Reijiro: {Points to Hayato} You. You also have it figured out right…? think of each of their weapons… it gets obvious from there.

 

I need to do the work again I see… great.

 

Think of their weapons… I know that Fusume’s innocent therefore out of the two who remain suspicious I can probably eliminate

 

{Jessie/Yoko}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: Yoko

 

===

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I don’t think that Yoko could have done it either.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hayato-kuuuuun! Why are you saying that!?

 

Hayato: Just think about Rina’s injury… her throat was slit right?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Yeah, that is what we concluded.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Then it’s impossible for Yoko to have done that!

 

Yoko: Yeah! I told you so! {Awkwardly} Wait why?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Yoko’s weapon is quite an obscure one… I hadn’t heard of a rapier before he gave it to her.

 

Hayato: {Determined} However, remember Monokuma’s description of it!

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: Moving on, Yoko Kurisu… you get this sumptuous Rapier from the 17th century… a collector’s item I’m sure!

 

Yoko: {Confused} The hell’s a rapier?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Y’know it’s the type of sword they use for fencing, only the tip is pointy the rest is dull…

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Educate yourself!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Oh my… Hayato you’re right!

 

Hayato: The only sharp part of a rapier is the tip of it… that means that it would be impossible for Yoko to slit Rina’s throat with it.

 

Yoshi: {Poses} The Yosh’ be gettin’ it! To be slittin’ somebody's throat ya gotta use the long part of the blade.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Correct, and because the long part of Yoko’s blade is dull.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Then Yoko can’t be the culprit!

 

Hikari: You got vocal again quite quickly huh…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} And if Yoko’s innocent, that means that only Jessie and Fusume are left with potential weapons.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Well, I will continue to fight for my innocence… I know for a fact that I did not do it.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} But I didn’t do it either! I was with Shinto-kun in the observatory all morning!

 

Jessie: {Crying} Please, Hayato-kun, tell them that it wasn’t me!

 

Hayato: {Thoughtful} Well… let me think about it.

 

I obviously can’t imagine Jessie killing anyone but I can’t rule her out just because of that.

 

Do I have anything that proves Jessie’s alibi?

 

 

Actually… I think I do.

 

Hayato: {Determined} I’m pretty sure that Jessie’s alibi stands.

 

Yoko: {Shocked} It does?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} That makes no fucking sense!

 

Hayato: Yes it does… please consider this piece of evidence.

 

I’ve got proof that Jessie was where she says she was… let me show it to everyone.

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Yoko’s account

===

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Think about it Yoko… you told me yourself that the panoramic ceiling of the observatory was open all morning didn’t you?

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Yeah… I did say that, so what?

 

Hayato: Well, the panoramic ceiling closes automatically when somebody leaves the observatory!

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Yeah! That’s right, I’m the one who told you that Hayato!

 

Hayato: {Determined} The fact that you saw it open all morning means that Jessie and Shinto really were there until the body discovery announcement.

 

 

Yoko: {Runs hand through hair} Damn… I guess you’re right.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Wait, Yoko, you’re saying you agree with him?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} There’s no other way around it, I’m sure that the ceiling was open until that announcement… so yeah, I guess Jessie’s innocent too.

 

Jessie: {Crying} Oh my… Hayato-kun how could I ever thank you?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} No need to thank me… I’m just trying to do what’s right.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hang on a second! If Jessie’s also innocent then there’s only one more person whose weapon could have been used!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Don’t even think about it!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} Argh! S-sorry!

 

Yoshi: {Poses} The Yosh’ told you she finna be suspicious!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I’m not suspicious!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Well… your kunai’s basically the only possible murder weapon.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} And with Monokuma’s weapon motive in action… that makes your pretty suspicious to me.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You guys don’t understand…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I am truly sorry but… they are right. You are a solid suspect at the moment.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Reijiro… even you?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Looks like everyone’s against you now Fusume!

 

No.

 

Hayato: {Determined} Not everyone! I know for a fact that Fusume is innocent.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} But can you prove it though?

 

Hayato: {Startled, hands up} Wh-what?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} I know what you’re about to say, how you were with her during the crime…

 

Raiko: {Grimace} But that doesn’t mean jackshit! If you want to make us believe that she’s innocent… you need evidence!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You want evidence…  I’ve got evidence.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Really? Go ahead, amuse me.

 

Fusume: Yoshi’s testimony can prove my innocence.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yoshi? Really? Out of all people?

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Awawawa! The pressure’s on me!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Please, do tell us how his testimony will prove your innocence.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I’ll ask Yoshi because if I ask Hayato, you will claim that he lies to protect me…

 

Fusume: {Confident} It’s very simple. Yoshi, did the body discovery announcement play when we entered the music room?

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Hm… if the Yosh’ be rememberin’ well. Yes it did!

 

Fusume: {Content} Then that proves that I’m not the killer!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} What? It does? I don’t understand.

 

Hm… I see where she is going with this.

 

Hayato: Remember the rule that concerns the body discovery announcement! It reads : “The body discovery announcement will play when 3 residents discover a body, this number DOES NOT include the blackened”

 

Fusume: {Confident} When we entered the music room and found Rina’s body, there were only three of us. Yoshi, Hayato and myself.

 

Fusume: Considering that nobody else claims to have seen the body before we have, we can assume that the three of us were the first three to see it.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} What about Oriana-chan? Maybe she saw it beforehand?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} She’s been unconscious all day, it is hard for me to imagine her seeing it.

 

Fusume: {Confident} All in all, because the announcement played when the three of us entered the music room… it means that us three cannot be the blackened!

 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Meh… I guess that holds.

 

Kôzuke: Yeah, I can’t think of anything to disprove what she just said man…

 

Yoshi: {Poses} Yay, the Yosh’ has been proved innocent!

 

She just saved both of our asses while also showing that she’s innocent. Well done Fusume.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I assume that nobody else has any objection to my argument?

 

 

Fusume: {Content} Good, glad not to be a suspect anymore.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Wait a minute though… have we just proved everybody who had a potential weapon innocent?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Yes… there are no suspects left? Where do we go from here?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Don’t tell me we’ve reached another fucking dead end…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No… this is important.

 

Fusume’s right… we’re this close to finding the murder weapon… I just need to think.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} You guys literally listed all the possible murder weapons and now we’ve ruled out all of them. So what now?

 

Wait a second!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} No… that’s not true! There’s one more weapon that we haven’t excluded just yet… that one’s gotta be the murder weapon! It’s the only one that makes sense.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Well… go ahead, fucking tell us.

 

Hayato: {Determined} The weapon that was used to take Rina’s life… it was this person’s!

 

CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: RINA

===

 

Hayato: {Grinning} It was the letter opener.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} What are you saying?

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Hayato, you realise that the letter opener was-

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} It was Rina’s weapon, I know.

 

Kôzuke: WHAAAT?

 

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} But… that makes no sense!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Are you saying that… Rina killed herself?

 

Hayato: No, that would not be logical considering the evidence we have… I still believe that somebody murdered her.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Are you forgetting the motive though? We aren't allowed to kill with someone else’s weapons.

 

I think… it’s time to expose one of the big misconceptions we’ve had so far… I’ve been thinking about it and I think I have the answer to all this.

 

Hayato: I think that actually… {Grinning} We could kill with someone else’s weapon!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Are you out of your mind?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} How interesting… if you’re right it would definitely shift our perspective when it comes to this trial…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Explain yourself Hayato!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Please remember the moment when Monokuma introduced this motive to us.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Very well, ahem… {Red eye glowing} There’s a special rule concerning your weapons you see!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} And that rule is?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Simple, you’re only allowed to use your weapon to kill.

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} If you commit a murder and the weapon in your hand isn’t the one I’ve assigned to you… you bet your ass you’ll be punished!

 

Rina: {Sips coffee} That was… an odd way to word that.

 

Oriana: Y-yeah…

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: Back then, Rina noted how odd Monokuma’s wording was. He didn’t say the weapon we’d use, he said the weapon in our hand.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} But what if you killed someone and the weapon wasn’t actually in your hand?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} That’s… that’s…

 

Kôzuke: THAT’S INSANE MAN!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Do you really think that Monokuma would phrase his motive in such a way just to create a way around it?

 

Hayato: {Determined} Why don’t we ask him? Monokuma!

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Ding ding ding! Hayato’s 100% right, you hadn’t even noticed but I offered you a backdoor to the motive the moment I gave it to you!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I’m so generous dammit!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Hayato… how the hell did you figure that out?

 

Yes! I knew I was right with this… now I need to push through and continue-

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Okay real talk, even if you had a way around it… how the hell do you slit someone’s throat without actually holding the weapon?

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Usin’ your foot maybe?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Listen freak show, I don’t like your fucking sarcasm!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Awawawa… it wasn’t sarcasm!

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} In all seriousness, Kenji asks an important question, it’s good that you found a way for the crime to have been committed with Rina’s weapon, but if you can’t prove that it was actually possible then it’s all for nothing!

 

How was it possible to slit her throat without having the weapon in your hands… I’m not quite sure…

 

I should think hard, maybe there was something on the letter opener itself that could help me.

 

Think Hayato! Think!

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

-----

 

I N S A L L O P I H

 

===

 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : N A I L  P O L I S H

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I GOT IT!

 

Hayato: {Determined} There was nail polish on the handle of the letter opener!

 

Shinto: Is that so?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Yup, there are pink stains on the handle which match the colour of her nail polish

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Okay… and so what?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Reijiro and I found out that Rina did her nails on the morning of the crime! Therefore the fact that there is nail polish on the handle means-

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} That the weapon was in Rina’s hands.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} N-no way!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Why… why would it be in Rina-chan’s hands?

 

Hayato: That is the question… but think about this, what if Rina was holding the weapon and the killer grabbed her hand and slit her throat like that… he wouldn’t actually be holding the weapon at any time during that action!

 

 

Yoko: It… it works! The weapon would not technically be in the killer’s hands.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} It’s… totally crazy but I guess it makes sense.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} No, it does not.

 

Hayato: What?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I already told you that it was strange for the nail polish to get on that handle… and your explanation does not account for that.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I still don’t get what’s so weird about it…

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Mmph, do I have to spell it out for you? Very well.

 

I have a feeling I’m not going to enjoy this.

 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} The victim wore gloves.

 

Hayato: She… did? Right, of course she did.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The nail polish would therefore not have landed on the handle if she simply held it in her hands!

 

Hayato: {Gasping} AHHHHHH! You’re… you’re right.

 

I… hadn’t thought of that… how do I make sense of this?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I suppose you have an explanation for this correct?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Uh yeah… definitely! Why don’t we talk about this whole glove business all together?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Your poker face requires some work Hayato…

 

Hayato: S-Sure thing… alright o-off we go, let’s talk about it

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} You don’t look too confident Hayato…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I’m all good haha…

 

Stall for time, stall for time… I need to find an explanation to the glove situation! She had to hold it bare handed for the nail polish to get on there so… why did she take her gloves off… and why was she holding her weapon in the first place?

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Ripped up glove, Monokuma File #2, “Bloody” stain on window sill, Fusume’s account, Footstains in coffee puddle}

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} So… the problem is that Rina-chan wears gloves right?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Yes, it’s impossible for her to leave nail polish on the weapon while wearing her gloves!

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Well, perhaps she just took off her gloves you know!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} But why would she do that? I’ve never seen her without her gloves.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Does this glove business really matter guys?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I honestly feel like this is a colossal waste of time.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} It does matter, without an explanation for these stains…

 

Reijiro: We cannot prove that the letter opener is the murder weapon!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Does anybody have any theories?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} My line of thinking is that maybe the killer got it off her somehow man…

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Or maybe she never took them off and we’re just missing something.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} I know! T he stain be made earlier on … they be unrelated to the murder!

 

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Ripped up glove → Maybe the killer got it off her somehow

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Kôzuke} YEAH, YOU’RE RIGHT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I think I know why Rina’s gloves were off… Kôzuke’s right, the killer got the gloves off her.

 

Kôzuke: {Happy} I got it right? No way man!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} And you know that how?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Simple… all you have to do is take a look at the glove in question.

 

{Picture of said glove on screen}

 

Jessie: Oh… it’s completely repäisi ylös … ripped up that is.

 

Hayato: Yeah, there’s no doubt in my mind. The killer bit it off Rina in the struggle.

 

Reijiro: So there was a struggle huh?

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Yes… I believe that the killer and Rina fought before… the murder.

 

Fusume: {Confident} That would definitely explain quite a lot as far as the crime scene goes.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} It’s true… a lot of stuff was spilled there wasn’t it?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} So Hayato… your theory on the nail polish business is?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I think it went something like this.

 

{Image of Rina and a grey figure fighting}

 

Hayato: The killer attacked Rina… but she fought back.

 

Hayato: They fought and at some point, she put her hand on the killer’s face who in turn bit her hand and the glove off it by extension.

 

Hayato: Rina’s right hand was now ungloved but her life was still in danger, therefore she instinctively took out her letter opener with her bare hand to defend herself.

 

{Screen turns red} 

 

Hayato: However, the killer overpowered her and slit her throat using the weapon in her own hand.

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s the way it happened! At least that's what the evidence leads me to think.

 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} That seems reasonable…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} And it would explain the nail polish on the handle.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Well done Hayato, it looks like you’ve convinced everyone.

 

I did? Finally… there always seem to be someone to disagree with me when I have theories like this.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Wait a second… if the murder weapon’s Rina’s…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Doesn’t that mean that anybody could have done it? Not just those with sharp weapons…

 

Hayato: That’s… that’s true.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Hehehe… it means that anybody could be the killer!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} All this stuff about figuring out people alibis was for nothing then.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Oh no… are we back to our starting point?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Not necessarily…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} But we’re back to suspecting everyone… there is no clear suspect anymore.

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} And because most of us were in our pairs this morning… it means that none of us have real alibis…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} How the fuck are we supposed to find out who the killer is in these circumstances?!

 

I… I don’t know… I don’t know what to do… If I’m right and the killer used Rina’s letter opener, then that mean the culprit could be any one of us… I don’t know where to go with this. I don’t have any clear suspects… I think I should just stall for time here.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Guys, guys… I propose we think it through and-

 

Hikari: {Close-up} YOU’RE FAKE NEWS!

 

{Split screen between Hikari and Hayato}

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} H-Hikari? What are you doing?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Before you go on with another complicated explanation, I’d like to propose my own theory on what happened!

 

Hayato: Your own theory?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Yup, I think I’ve found a solution which answers all of our questions.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, let us hear it then.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Wait a second, if that's all you have to say then why did you scream at me?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Oh that? Just wanted to make sure you’d listen to me haha…

 

Hikari thinks that she’s got it all figured out huh? I guess there’s no harm in listening to what she has to say.

 

===

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

{Truth Blades: Footstains in coffee puddle, Fallen Grandfather clock, Bloody handprint}

 

Hikari:

 

What if Rina killed herself?

 

It would make a lot of sense…

 

if you think about it!

 

It’d explain the locked room mystery.

 

There would be no need to escape if there was no killer!

 

ADVANCE

 

Hayato: Wait… you think that she committed suicide? Where does that theory even come from?

 

Hikari:

 

It’d solve so many of our issues…

 

That’s probably why the letter opener was used!

 

Because it was her own weapon!

 

Think about it Hayato! Suicide is the most logical way out of this!

 

And either way…

 

You can’t prove that I’m wrong!

 

 

Did Rina actually kill herself? Hikari’s got a point when she says that it would definitely fix the locked room aspect but… I feel like something is still off.

 

===

 

 

 


SOLUTION : Fallen Grandfather Clock → You can’t prove that I’m wrong!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Determined} Sorry Hikari but I actually have proof that Rina couldn’t have killed herself.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You do!?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Of course I do, remember the grandfather clock from the music room.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Ah yes… the clock fell on top of her if I am not mistaken.

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Two things lead me to believe that suicide was impossible. Number one, I do not see how Rina could have made the clock fall over by herself. It’s exceptionally heavy and it’s even harder to make it fall on yourself.

 

Hayato: Secondly, the time on the clock reads 2:02… Fusume, remind me at what time did we find the body?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I did check my Resident ID when the announcement played, it was 2:08.

 

Hayato: {Determined} The clock broke when it fell on top of Rina at 2:02… Rina had no way to move after that time.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} However… we know that somebody was still in the room when we arrived in front of the door, judging by the noise we heard.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} But that person couldn’t have been Rina… she was already stuck under the grandfather clock… therefore Rina cannot have committed suicide!

 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I guess you’re right… so much for my theory.

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Sorry, Hikari but the evidence suggests that somebody else was in the room.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Furthermore… the letter opener could not have been brought back to the victim’s room if it was suicide.

 

Hayato: Yeah… there’s that also.

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Looks like it definitely wasn’t suicide then…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Which means that one of us really did murder her.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But who the heck was it man! We have no leads!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Do we really have nothing at all? No suspect whatsoever?

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} I’m sure we’ve overlooked something… the killer must have left some sort of evidence or something-

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato.

 

Hayato: Y-Yes?

 

Fusume: {Confident} There’s a problem with what you’ve just said… a huge problem.

 

A huge… problem?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Um, what did I say?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Your explanation… about the grandfather clock and Rina’s positioning… it contradicts a piece of evidence.

 

Hayato: It does?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes… think about it. Something that we had already established just doesn’t make sense when you take into account what you’ve just said.

 

Fusume: {Shocked} This could… turn this trial on its head!

 

My explanation regarding the clock contradicts a piece of evidence… what could it be?

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Fusume’s account

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Gasping} Oh my god!

 

Fusume: {Happy} You’ve figured it out haven’t you?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Figured what out?

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Yeah, Hayato tell us please!

 

Hayato: When we got to the crime scene… Fusume looked through the keyhole and saw…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume quickly crouched down and pressed her eye against the keyhole and when she did...

 

Fusume: {Shocked} AHHHHH!

 

Hayato: Fusume? What did you see?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} There was somebody’s eye… looking right back at me.

 

Yoshi: {Scared} What? That… it finna mean that somebody’s inside! Let me see.

 

Yoshi got on his knees and also looked through the keyhole.

 

Yoshi: Aw, the Yosh’ can’t see nothin’, it appears the key was put back in the hole.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I definitely saw an eye… someone was in there.

 

Hayato: What colour was that eye?

 

Fusume: It was dark brown… it has to be Rina.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I saw Rina looking back at me through the other side of the door.

 

Yoko: {Shocked} You saw Rina?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} But I thought we just said that Rina was stuck under the clock by the time you guys got to the music room.

 

Hayato: … Yes we did say that.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Then something quite clearly makes no fucking sense. Rina couldn’t have been both under the clock and at the door at the same time!

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Did she… have a secret twin?!

 

Raiko: {Giggles} No… obviously Fusume is wrong in what she thinks she saw.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} But… I’m sure it was Rina’s eye…

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} We have reached a situation in which we have to be wrong in one of our assumptions…

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Yeah, it’s pretty soiléir  that Rina could not have been in two places at the same time.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} So Hayato? Wanna tell us where Rina actually was?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Me? Why me?

 

Shinto: {Serious} Well, you’re the one who told us she was stuck under the grandfather clock to begin with sooo…

 

Hayato: Fine… I’ll tell you exactly where she was.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You… you actually know that?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I believe so. 

 

I just need to do some thinking first… they’re right. One of our two assumption has to be wrong. All I need is to figure out which one it is.

 

===

 

LOGIC DIVE BEGINS

 

Q1: Why did Fusume assume she was seeing Rina’s eye?

 

{She recognised her makeup brand/she heard Rina speak/She recognised Rina’s eye colour}

 

 

 

 

Answer: She recognised Rina's eye colour

 

Q2: However, what contradicts the fact that it was Rina’s eye?

 

{Time on the grandfather clock/Fusume is not trustworthy/Time of death}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Time on the grandfather clock

 

Q3: Therefore, whose eye did Fusume see?

 

{Rina’s/Monokuma’s/Someone else’s}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Someone else’s

 

===

 

 

What I’m about to say… doesn’t make any sense. It simply doesn’t but… I think that I’m onto something big.

 

Before I reveal it to everyone though, I have to check…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Monokuma, tell me, are there any contact lenses in this place?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Contact lenses?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} As in… the ones to make your eyes a different colour? Nope, there ain’t no such thing anywhere on the resort.

 

I thought so… then it means that…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What do contact lenses have to do with anything Hayato?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Yeah, you still haven’t answered our question! Where was Rina before you entered the crime scene?

 

Hayato: She was… she was…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} C’mon spit it out dammit!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} She was under the grandfather clock… it’s the only thing that makes sense.

 

Fusume: {Shocked} What? But… but I told you that I saw Rina’s eye! It couldn’t have been anyone but her!

 

Hayato: Actually… {Grinning} It could have.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What are you implying man?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You can’t possibly mean…

 

Hayato: {Determined} The eye that Fusume saw it wasn’t Rina’s… in fact, somebody else was in the room right before we entered! The eye Fusume saw belonged to that person!

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Somebody else? But who?

 

Taking everything I know into account… everybody’s alibis as well as the reason for Fusume mistaking it for Rina’s eye… it all mounts up to one person and one person only.

 

Jessie: {Scared} Hayato-kun… you know who was in the room with Rina-chan?

 

Hayato: {Determined} I do. The person whose eye Fusume saw… and therefore my main suspect in this murder… It's…

 

{CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT}

 

Hayato: {Determined} …

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …

 

Fusume: {Confident} …

 

Kôzuke : {Worried} …

 

Jessie: {Scared} …

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} …

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} …

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} …

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} …

 

Yoko: {Fans herself, nervously}

 

Kyia

 

Tadao: {Sombre} …

 

Fukami

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Rina

 

Notes:

Yes this is a pretty big cliffhanger but I think it's pretty easy to figure out who Hayato is talking about if you think about it carefully…
Got any theory on who killed Rina, who Caspian is or who kidnapped Oriana? Then put them in the comments! I'd be curious to hear what you guys think.

The next part will hopefully come out pretty soon but with exams coming up I might have to slow down a bit… hopefully I'll stay on schedule.

Thanks for reading and see you in the next one ;)

Chapter 25: Chapter 2 : A Gentle Melody for a Lost Soul : Class Trial part 2

Notes:

I'm a bit late on my schedule but yeah, the IB exams are going on so I had less time than I would have wished...

Either way, here's part two of the class trial, time to find out who's eye Fusume really saw!

Enjoy :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

{Select Tadao}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Tadao… you’ve been alarmingly quiet so far in this trial.

 

Tadao: {Sombre} … Am I not always quiet?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Yeah! Not saying anything is this guys’ shtick!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Is it really “alarming” that he has been silent thus far?

 

Hayato: {Determined} No, what’s alarming is that he was at the crime scene and he didn’t tell us about it!

 

Jessie: {Scared} What!? Tadao-kun… was at the crime scene?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} That’s exactly what I’m saying!

 

Hikari: {Sad} So you’re accusing Tadao huh? Can you tell us why?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Pretty simple, I think that the eye that Fusume saw inside the music room was Tadao’s.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Wait what? But… I thought that the eye in question was brown? Tadao’s eyes definitely aren't brown!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Yo Hayadog… you colourblind or something?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Nope, I see colours perfectly and I’m actually quite certain that it was his eye.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} But… Monokuma said that there were no contact lenses around… so how do you pretend his eye looked brown.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Just look at him dammit! His eyes are purple!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} That’s where you’re wrong Kenji, his left eye might be purple… but his right eye, that’s another story!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-no way…

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} You cannot possibly be saying that…

 

Hayato: {Determined} You bet your ass that I’m saying it! Tadao’s two eyes aren't the same colour!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} WHAAAAAAA!?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} …

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You claim that the eye that I saw was…

 

Hayato: Yup, it’s Tadao’s right eye… that’s the only possibility.

 

Jessie: {Scared} Is Tadao-kun’s eye really brown?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Only one way to find out… Tadao, lift your fringe for us.

 

Tadao: {Sombre} …

 

Kenji: {Furious} Did ya hear me? Lift it!

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} The eye tells me that it is a bad idea… I will therefore not do it.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} What d’you say?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} I see no reason to show you my eye… I plead the fifth if you will.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} B-But… you can’t plead the fifth, this isn’t an actual trial!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Yeah… by refusing to show us you’re just making yourself look even more suspicious!

 

Tadao: {Looks away} That doesn’t matter to me… you can’t force me to show you if I don’t want to.

 

Kenji: {Cracking firsts} Like hell I can’t, I’ll lift that fringe off you if you don’t do it now!

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Stay away from me.

 

Kenji: You leave me no choice.

 

Jessie: {Cries} Niet !! Don’t fight please!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} No violence in the courtroom, children!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Then just show us your fucking eye!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} If your heterochromia is confirmed then you will be an evident suspect… we need to see your eye to advance the class trial.

 

Hayato: Yeah that’s-

 

Wait…

 

What Reijiro just said…

 

Hayato: {Gasping} Reijiro! Repeat that please!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph, did you not hear me the first time? I said that if his heterochromia-

 

Hayato: That’s it!

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} I beg your pardon?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} That word… I’ve seen it somewhere else. I knew it sounded familiar.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} And where is that?

 

Hayato: It’s… it’s…

 

This means that… Tadao… could it be?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Tell us dammit!

 

I need to show everyone… if I’m right then… this is a major breakthrough.

 

Hayato: {Determined} This piece of evidence will help me show everyone Tadao’s true identity!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: 80th Class File

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Hayato… that’s the file about our class… where are you going with this?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The word “heterochromia” means someone with two different coloured eyes. It comes up in this file… when describing Caspian’s distinctive features.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Nonsense, you claim that…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Careful what you say next Hayato… this is a grave accusation you’re about to make.

 

Tadao: {Sombre} …

 

I can’t back down… I know I’m right with this.

 

Hayato: If Tadao’s right eye is indeed brown then it means that…

 

Hayato: {Determined} He’s Caspian, the caped kidnapper!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} WHAAT?

 

Jessie: {Scared} Que!? Tadao-kun?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} The midget is…

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} He’s Caspian??!

 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} That is nonsense… this boy… cannot be Caspian!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You think that Tadao is the famous criminal huh?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Are you sure about what you’re saying Hayato!? I really don’t think that Tadao could be the caped kidnapper.

 

Jessie: {Crying} Yeah! Tadao-kun is so peaceful, he can’t be Caspian!

 

Hayato: Only one way to know for sure… Tadao, show us your eye!

 

Tadao: {Sombre} …

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Even if his eye is brown… there is no way! Simply no way!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Tadao-kun, tell them that it isn’t so!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Just. show. us. your. fucking. eye!

 

Tadao: {Nervous} I… I…

 

Hayato: {Determined} Come on! Prove me wrong!

 

Jessie: {Crying} You don’t have to do it Tadao-kun, we all know that you’re-

 

Tadao: {Head down} Heh… 

 

Tadao…?

 

 

Tadao: {Head down} Y’know… you guys really have to make a big deal out’a nothing…

 

Jessie: {Confused} … Tadao-kun?

 

Tadao: {Head down} Real pain in my ass… but I guess it was gonna happen eventually.

 

What… is he saying?

 

Tadao: {Head down} Y’all want the truth… {Looks up, malicious grin} Here’s the truth.

 

{Tadao takes his hood off, he attaches his scarf on his back like a cape, he pulls his sleeves up and finally he takes off his armband and uses it as a hairband, keeping his hair off his face}

 

His appearance completely changed… and his eyes…

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Sup, hope y’all recognise me better with the cape on!

 

Jessie: {Crying} T-Tadao-kun…

 

Tadao: Yeah, yeah, some people call me Caspian, the real question is…

 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} What the hell are you gonna do about it?

 

 

 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} His eyes… they’re different colours!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} And his demeanor… it has got nothing to do with the way he acted until then.

 

Tadao: {Heinous} The hell are y’all looking at? Didn’t your mothers teach you that staring is rude?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} So… you really are Caspian?

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Yeah, I just said so a second ago, ya should pay more attention when people speak Reijiro…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Tadao… I can’t believe it.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} What a turn of event this is…

 

Tadao: {Sombre} What’s the problem seriously? Y’all were fine with there being a murderer among us a second ago! So what’s wrong if I’ve kidnapped a few people here and there?!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What do you mean what’s wrong? Everything’s wrong with that you’ve just said.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’re a criminal Tadao… obviously it’s a shock to us to learn it this way.

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Kyehehehe! You never even suspected me did ya…? The small and innocent Tadao who doesn’t say anything, who woulda thought he was the one?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You motherfucker… you’re proud of it as well…

 

Tadao: {Points to hairband} I mean… if you think about it, I haven’t done anything wrong… all the people I’ve kidnapped had it coming and they never actually got harmed so…

 

Yoshi: {Angry} And what about Kanna Muratagi? The lass got harmed real good…

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Yeah… ‘bout that, I don’t actually remember her at all…

 

Yoko: {Shocked} What?

 

Tadao: Well y’know, y’all don’t remember hearing about her murder right? Well neither do I.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} But you killed her.

 

Tadao: {Heinous} The stupid newspaper that teddy bear gave us claims that I did. I don’t kill people. This has nothing to do with me.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} But why does the newspaper claim you’re the killer then?

 

Tadao: {Slams podium} The fuck do I know!?

 

That personality switch was so sudden… who the heck would have imagined that this is the real Tadao?

 

Jessie: {Crying} I… I don’t like this new Tadao-kun…

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} I’ve always been like this, I just kept it hidden from y’all kyehehe…

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} And why did you not act naturally when first meeting us then?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Ya serious? Oh yeah, I just woke up in a weird ass resort with random people and we’re asked to kill each other, let me introduce myself, I’m a world renowned criminal!

 

Reijiro: The logic stands…

 

Tadao: {Heinous} You’re damn right it fucking stands!

 

This is nice and all but… the real question isn’t this dude’s reasons for lying to us we should get back on track

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Tadao… you say that you don’t kill people, are you saying that you didn’t kill Rina?

 

Tadao: Of course I didn’t fucking kill her! Who do you take me for?

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} A criminal?

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} What about those similarities between Rina’s case and Muratagi’s… are we supposed to believe these are just coincidences?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Believe whatever you want, this ain’t my problem.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} So… you weren't in the room with Rina-chan then?

 

Tadao: {Susprised} Oh that… well yeah, I was.

 

Kôzuke: {Graps medals} WHAT?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} You just admit it like that…

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Hey, I have no reason to lie to y’all, honesty is the best policy right?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} But if you were in the room with Rina right before she got killed, then you have to be the blackened!

 

Tadao: {Laid back} Hm… no I don’t.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Then, where’s your evidence.

 

Tadao: {Heinous} I’m telling you that I didn’t kill her, isn’t that evidence? Adding Tadao’s account to your truth bullets and whatnot?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Of course it’s not evidence, you could be lying to save your ass!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Hey, I just told you what I thought about honesty, did you sleep through that? You guys need to wake up seriously.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I have a question.

 

Tadao: {Furstrated} If it’s “you there, are you the killer?” The answer’s still the same smartypants.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} No, that is not my question.

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Then just ask, it’s a free country.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You admit that you were in the music room with the victim yes?

 

Tadao: {Laid back} Yup, sure thing.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Then how did you escape the crime scene?

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Well um…

 

That’s… a really important question actually, if Tadao turns out to be innocent then maybe the way he escaped will tell us how the real killer escaped!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We are all awaiting an answer.

 

Tadao: {Heinous} …

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Now’s not the time to go silent.

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} I plead the fifth again.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Wait what?

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} I don’t feel like telling y’all how I escaped… so I’m not going to do it. This time you can’t force me kyehehe…

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} But… you cannot withhold information from the court.

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Watch me.

 

Kenji: {Furious} You fucker… I’ll beat the information out of you if I have to!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Come on then, hit me… {Malicious grin} if you can of course.

 

Jessie: {Sad} But why would you not tell us…?

 

Tadao: The broad was already dead when I entered the music room… does it really matter how I got out?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Seriously man, what happened to honesty is the best policy?

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Guess I changed my mind.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} But… but… that was like a minute ago!

 

Tadao: And your point is?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Are you really not going to tell us how you did it?

 

Tadao: {Laid back} Nope, I don’t feel the need to tell you… so I won’t.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Then perhaps we should just assume you’re not telling us because you did it and vote for you! How does that sound?

 

Tadao: {Malicious smile} And then we all get executed? Yeah, great plan well done!

 

He’s seriously… not going to tell us? I get that he’s edgy and shit but why? He’s just keeping crucial information from us for no reason.

 

 

Tadao: {Amused} If y’all saw the look on your faces right now! Ya hate me so much don’t you? Then go ahead! Hate me all you like! It won’t change the fact that I’m not the blackened.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Then work with us! We can all prove your innocence together.

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} I already have proved my innocence! I don’t need your help.

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} No you haven’t!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Yes, I have. {Present Tadao’s account} that’s right fuck you!

 

How did he…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Fine, you want to play that game?

 

Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I am not going to sit there while this child just wastes our time.

 

Tadao: Hey! I’m your age!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Quiet! Monokuma… I want to use our Ultimate Truth.

 

The ultimate truth…

 

{Flashback}

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} The Ultimate Truth!!! How exciting does that sound??

 

Yoshi: {Flips Hair} What is that…?

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} I’ll tell you that if you’re patient upupupu! The Ultimate Truth is a once in a trial opportunity. When you bastards are stuck like right now, I will allow one question. Only One. Which I will answer truthfully and get you out of this tricky situation. All in all, it’s a lifeline in a situation like this one to make the trial a tad less boring for me.

 

Fukami: {Adjusts glasses} Any question?

 

Monokuma: {Blank Expression} Well obviously not the name of the blackened or anything that will directly indict them but other than that yeah!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You really want to use our ultimate truth on this idiot?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} His idiocy will be less painful once we get him out of the way.

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} I’m right here you know!

 

Fusume: {Confident} I propose we ask Monokuma how Tadao got out of the music room… is anybody against that?

 

I’m not sure if this is a good idea or not… but I guess it’s better to use it now than to be stuck with Tadao ignoring our questions.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Well, if nobody has any objections…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Monokuma, we’d like to use our Ultimate Truth.

 

Tadao: {Nervous} H-Hey, there’s no need to do that haha… do you really need to know?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} You do remember that this is a once in a trial opportunity I hope… are you sure that you want to use it now?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Yes, we’re sure, now go ahead and answer the damn question.

 

Monokuma: Very well, {Red eye glowing} please formulate your question clearly for me.

 

Kôzuke: {Annoyed} Again?

 

Monokuma: It’s procedure kid… let it be.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Our question is “How did Tadao get out of the music room?”

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Hey, Monokuma… that question doesn’t apply does it? I’m sure there’s some sort of exception for this!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Nope, the only questions I won’t accept are those that directly indict someone… I’m afraid this question is fine to ask.

 

Tadao: Ggh…

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Well, here goes nothing: to the question “How did Tadao get out of the music room?” the answer is…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} The storage closet!

 

Through the… what?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I don’t think ya heard the question correctly… we asked how he got out of the music room.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Yeah… and my answer was “the storage closet” did you not hear me?

 

Kôzuke: But… but that makes no sense.

 

Monokuma: Do you not remember that closet in the music room?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} It had tons of cool stuff in it like music sheets and books and dead wasps and all that jazz

 

Yoko: {Confused} Sorry what?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Are you saying that the storage closet had… a secret passage of sorts?

 

Monokuma: {Happy} That’s exactly what I’m saying!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} No way!

 

A… secret passage!!?

 

Monokuma: It’s very simple!

 

{Diagram of the inside of the closet is shown on screen}

 

Monokuma: Basically, the inside of the closet in the music room is directly connected to the closet in the archives, in fact they are one and the same.

 

Monokuma: There is a hidden lever inside both sides of the closet, once you press it…

 

{The inside wall of the closet flips 180° vertically, the inside of the music room closet is now in the archives and vice versa}

 

Monokuma: And you go from one room to the other just like that!

 

{Back to normal}

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Such a complex contraption… exists?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Why the heck is this secret passage even a thing?

 

Monokuma: Duh… locked room mystery are the shit as far as killing games go,

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} there are tons of hidden secrets in the resort for killers to take advantage of!

 

Raiko: {Bits lip} You really have thought of everything haven’t you…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What matters here is that… we now know just how Tadao got out of the room.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Ya hear that you caped pussy? you’ve got some serious explaining to do!

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Me…? I… I didn’t do shit, serious!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Monokuma does not lie with his Ultimate Truth… you definitely did escape using this hidden passage.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Tadao-kun… how did you know about that passage anyways?

 

Kenji: {Furious} He knows because Monokuma told him and that’s because…

 

Kenji: He’s the fucking scumbag who killed Rina!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} You’re so freaking dull oh my god, I already told you I didn’t kill her!

 

Yoko: {Annoyed} And in what world do we believe the likes of you?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} What do you mean, the likes of me? The fuck have I done wrong?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} You kidnap people! That’s wrong!

 

Tadao: I only kidnap criminals… They always bloody have it coming to them…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} The only criminal is you. You killed Rina and you know what…

 

Kenji: {Snickers} I’ll prove it to everybody right here, right now!

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Come on then, show me that you’re smarter than you look.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I’m smart enough to see through you lies… you murderer.

 

Things are getting tense, Tadao is definitely suspicious until he explains himself. Still, I should be careful here… I shouldn’t let everybody rush to conclusions before we have definite proof of his guilt!

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Archive File, Reijiro’s account, Threatening letter, Monokuma File #2, Allocation of Weapons}

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} We said it earlier, Caspian is obviously a prime suspect in this murder!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Not only is he a known criminal and a suspected murderer…

 

Kenji: {Furious} But Rina’s death clearly resembles his last victim’s!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Still… I don’t want to believe that Tadao-kun is the killer…

 

Tadao: {Heinous} The airhead’s right! I’m 100% completely fucking innocent!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} A-Airhead?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} I don’t think insulting the one person who believes in your innocence is the best tactic right now…

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} You’re all just idiots, there’s nothing that links me to this crime! NOTHING!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Come on man, you were at the crime scene with the victim, and you still haven’t explained anything to us

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} That’s obviously suspicious!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Just admit it already!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You entered the music room through that secret passage…

 

Kenji: {Furious} You hit her with that dumbbell of yours and then slit her throat!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} It’s as simple as that.

 

 

Well… I’m not quite sure that Kenji proved anything at all with this, in fact, there’s something that somebody said just then that doesn’t quite add up…

 

I should point it out for everyone.

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Monokuma File #2 → You hit her with that dumbbell of yours and then slit her throat!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I’m sorry Kenji but… there’s something you said that just doesn’t make sense.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Huh, what did I say?

 

Hayato: You’re claiming that Tadao hit Rina with his dumbbell before finishing her off with the letter opener.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Well yeah but-

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s just not possible!

 

Shinto: {Surprised} It’s not?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Last time around, we determined that the Monokuma File could be trusted right?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I believe so, it gave us crucial information as far as the last trial went.

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Of course it’s reliable! Monokuma rhymes with quality and truthfulness!

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Hm… not it doesn’t.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Quality and truthfulness don’t even rhyme with each other man…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Right… {Crossed arms} anyway, what Kenji just said contradicts the Monokuma file!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} How does it contradict anything?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The file states that Rina had no injuries other than her main throat injury.

 

Hayato: {Determined} That means that there she definitely wasn’t hit with Tadao’s dumbbell!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Yeah, guess that blows this theory out of the water…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Okay fine, maybe I got that detail wrong but…

 

Kenji: {Furious} It doesn’t change the fact that the midget did it!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} You’re still gonna accuse me huh ain’t you?

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} I mean, sooner or later you’ll realise how dumb you’re being by suspecting me out of all people.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} We’ll see about that you murderer…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} The motherfucker killed Rina for sure guys, in fact, you know what…

 

Oh boy.

 

Kenji: {Furious} I’ll fucking prove it to everyone!

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Allocation of weapons, Talent videos, Monokuma File #2, Reijiro’s account, Bloody handprint}

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Okay… maybe I got a detail wrong in my last explanation.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} He didn’t hit her sure… but he still managed to overpower Rina while in the music room.

 

Kenji: {Furious} And then he slit her throat like the bitch he is!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} I didn’t know that slitting throats was a particularly bitch-like method!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Use me as a scapegoat as much as you want asshat!

 

Tadao: I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, I. didn’t. fucking. kill. her!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} If Caspian…

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Uh, I mean Tadao, really is the killer, maybe he left an incriminating trace behind.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Don’t you start again with your traces bullshit Fusume!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Those traces helped us find the killer last time Kenji-kun!

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Well, the Yosh’ searched the music room intensely, nothing really linked back to the kidnap kid!

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Kidnap… kid?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Ugh, this shit doesn’t matter! The story writes itself.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Not only is the guy a world famous fucking criminal

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} He’s also quite clearly small enough to sneak around through that secret passage!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} He could have easily travelled in and out of the crime scene!

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} I guess… Kenji could be right with this.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Of course I’m fucking right! Tell me that it doesn’t all add up! Fucking tell me!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} You’re out of your depth Kenji… you’re completely wrong with all of this.

 

 

Kenji is clearly very confident in his accusations. I know that Tadao is the obvious suspect but… still, as long as I have doubts I must argue… it’s innocent until proven guilty isn’t it?

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Allocation of weapons → He could have easily travelled in and out of the crime scene!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Um Kenji…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Fuck do you want?

 

Hayato: It’s just that… ahem.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} You’ve made another mistake just then.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Another mistake?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Grr… go on…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well, you’re right, Tadao one of the shortest guys here…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} … Hey, what are people looking at me man!?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} If you think about it Kenji, no matter his height, Tadao was actually the last one to sneak around out of all of us these past few days

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Wh-what are you talking about?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Well, you yourself talked about Tadao’s dumbbell didn’t you?

 

Hayato: {Determined} Can you imagine him sneaking in an out of a room carrying this heavy dumbbell around?

 

Kenji: {Nervous} Well um… m-maybe not…

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Oh shucks, it looks like Tarzan got it wrong again!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Call me Tarzan once more and I’ll fuck you up.

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Be my guest Tarzan!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} C’mon Tadao-kun, don’t provoke him please!

 

Tadao: {Malicious smile} I’ll do what I feel like doing!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Wait but, if Tadao is this kidnapper guy and stuff… doesn’t mean that he’s stronger than we thought?

 

Tadao: I’ll take this one.

 

Tadao: {Points at hairband} Yup, you’re right, I am definitely stronger than I showed y’all until now but… it doesn’t change the fact that this dumbbell is heavy as fuck.

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} It was hella hard to go through that closet while carrying this stupid thing!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Tadao! You still haven’t told us why you used the secret passage!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Nor how you even knew of its existence…

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} I said I didn’t wanna talk about it! No means no people!

 

Hikari: {Sad} B-but… if you told us we could prove your innocence!

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} I don’t need you to prove anything! I know that I didn’t do it and that’s all that matters!

 

Yoshi: {Angry} No it ain’t! Cuz we oughta vote for you if you ain’t proved innocent!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} And then you’ll all die with me! Sounds like a good enough deal!

 

Why is he hiding this from us…? I seriously don’t get it.

 

Kenji: {Mumbles} If you aren’t proved innocent then…

 

Oh no…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Um Kenji man… I think it’s maybe better if you don’t-

 

Kenji: {Furious} I’LL PROVE YOUR ASS GUILTY ONCE AND FOR ALL

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Monokuma File #2, Footprints in coffee puddle, Fallen grandfather clock, threatening letter, burnt piece of wood }

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Are you not tired of making stupid theories and then getting it wrong?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Hey! I only made a few fucking mistakes, it doesn’t change the truth though!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That bastard definitely did it!

 

Fusume: {Annoyed} Please Kenji… tell us that you have proof for once!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Yeah… surely something at the crime scene proves Tadao’s guilt man!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} That is… if he actually is guilty.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Of course he’s fucking guilty! Look at him!

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Huh, it’s true that your appearance just screams innocence and purity Kenji.

 

Kenji: He’s making it so fucking obvious that he did it!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Maybe I don’t have proof that he did it sure…

 

Kenji: {Furious} But y’all definitely don’t have proof that he didn’t do it!

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Maybe if Tadao just spoke and explained himself… it’d make it all easier for everyone.

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} I won’t speak. Deal with it.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Dick.  

 

 

If Tadao won’t speak… then maybe I need to get the truth about of him. We need his testimony to move forward that’s for sure.

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Footprints in coffee puddle → But y’all definitely don’t have proof that he didn’t do it!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} If you tell me that I’m wrong one more fucking time I’ll beat that stupid look from your face!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Sorry Kenji… but the truth is-

 

Hayato: {Determined} I think I can prove Tadao’s innocence.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} W-What… you… you… {Rips shirt} YOU MOTHERFUCKER!!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You can really prove him innocent Hayato?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I think so… I just need to think this through.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} But ain’t he… the bad guy?

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} I told you I hadn’t done shit! Tell em fuckface!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} F-fuckface?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It appears you have a bad habit of insulting those who help you… Caspian.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Come on then. Prove it to us!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Very well… Fusume. Remember the footprints we found at the crime scene?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Interesting… {Shocked} Wait, are those footprints in the coffee?

 

Hayato: What now?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Look Hayato, right here!

 

{Zoom in on the coffee puddle}

 

Hayato: Oh… oh my god you’re right! There seems to be footprints in the coffee.

 

Fusume: But… this is weird, the way the footprints are positioned it looks like someone walked out of the closet!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes I do rememb- {Shocked} No way!! Could it be that!?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I think so yes.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Do you want to maybe quit your private conversation and tell us what the fuck you’re talking about?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I’ll explain it to you…

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} There are footprints in the coffee next to Rina’s body and the way they are positioned led us to believe that whoever made these footprints came out of the storage closet!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I see… the footprints faced away from the closet I presume.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Back then, we assumed that somebody was hiding in the closet but now that we know about the secret passage in that closet… it takes a whole new meaning!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Oh my! It means that the owner of the footprints used the secret passage!

 

Hayato: {Confident} I’ll do you one better, I know who left those footprints, it’s Tadao!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} It is?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} And how the fuck do you know that for sure?

 

Hayato: Simple, just take a look at

 

{The depth of the footprints/The colour of the footprints/The size of the footprints}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: The size of the footprints

 

===

 

Hayato: {Grinning} When Fusume and I found them… we assumed these footprints belonged to Oriana.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Yes… that is why I had some of you empty the music room, we suspected that she had been there.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} But why did you think it was hers?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Well, it’s easy once you see them… these footprints are abnormally small!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} They’re… small?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes very much so… I didn’t think that anybody other than her could have feet of this size but now that I think about it…

 

Hayato: {Determined} Actually, Jessie… I came to this conclusion thanks to you.

 

Jessie: {Shocked}  Moi?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Remember what you told me that day at the pool…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Jessie: {Fangirling} Look at these cute little Monokuma themed flip flops I found!

 

Jessie: {Happy} Aren’t they totally čudovit ?

 

Hayato: Jessie, I don’t think you should be this enthusiastic about something Monokuma gave-

 

Jessie: {Determined} Look at them! Look at them! They’re custom made for each of us, even those of us who have tiny little feet like Tadao and Oriana.

 

Hayato: Ok… and that is cool because?

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} You’re such a party pooper Hayato,

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You said it yourself, Tadao’s feet are about the same size as Oriana’s! This is why I believe that those footprints are Tadao’s!

 

Tadao: {Nervous} …

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Just by looking under his podium I can see it… his feet are tiny!

 

I knew it!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Okay, sure maybe they’re his footprints… and so what?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} How does that prove anything?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Let me walk you through my reasoning…

 

{Diagram of the music room’s disposition is shown on screen}

 

Hayato: The footprints position imply that they were made when Tadao walked out of the closet.

 

Kenji: And?

 

Hayato: Well, I believe that the existence of these footprints proves that Rina had already dropped her coffee cup when Tadao entered the room!

 

Reijiro: Yes, that much is obvious…

 

Hikari: Wait Hayato… are you saying what I think you’re saying!?

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hayato: {Determined} Yes! I think that Rina was already dead when Tadao came in the room!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} WHAT!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} So… you really think that he’s innocent then?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yes, the evidence leads me to believe that Tadao isn’t the killer.

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} I fucking told you s-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Hold on just a second!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Y-Yes?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} What you are claiming would only make sense if one was to assume that the cup was dropped during the struggle…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} But what if it was dropped before?

 

Before?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} W-Why would it be dropped before? Doesn’t it make more sense to assume she made it fall while struggling with the killer?

 

Reijiro: {Clans glasses} Yes… it makes more sense.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} But that does not mean that it’s impossible for her to have dropped it beforehand.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} So you’re saying that even though it’s unlikely we can’t rule it out as long as it’s possible.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Mmph, that is not all. The evidence actually point to “before” rather than during the struggle.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} It does?

 

Reijiro: {Points to Hayato} You. I am sure you understand what I am talking about.

 

Uh…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Y-Yeah… definitely.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Pathetic. Do I have to spell it out?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I mean, if you don’t mind…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} There is no nail polish on the coffee cup.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} And?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Well, we determined that Rina held her letter opener without her gloves because of the nail polish stains on the handle.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} And because there are no such stains, it can be assumed that the victim still had her gloves on when she dropped the coffee cup.

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} I mean… fair enough but we don’t know at which point in the struggle Rina’s glove came off.

 

Hayato: {Determined} The fact that she had her gloves on doesn’t mean that it was before the struggle!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes… it is not certain that it was beforehand… I am just stating the facts.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} The possibility exists.

 

As insufferable as he is… Reijiro has got a point. As long as we don’t know exactly when Rina’s gloves came off, we don’t know when the puddle was created.

 

And therefore we don’t know if Tadao really is innocent.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Are we reaching another dead end?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} We’re not… as long as we know that this fucker is the culprit.

 

Hayato: But we don’t know that for sure! I am really close to proving his innocence!

 

Hikari: {Sad} If only we know when Rina’s glove came off…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Or at least we had a better idea of how the struggle happened.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Wanna know how we could have a better idea? IF TADAO FUCKING TOLD US THE TRUTH!

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Ngh…

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Tadao-kun?

 

Tadao: {Nervous} I uh…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Just tell us the truth Tadao… that way we can prove that you’re innocent!

 

Tadao: I… I…

 

Tadao: {Calmly} Fine.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Fine?

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} I’ll stop fucking with y’all… I guess it is now in my interest to tell you the truth about how it all went down.

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} So you’ll tell us what happened this morning?

 

Fusume: {Confident} And why you used the secret passage to get to the crime scene!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Yeah, I’ll tell you everything… Truth is I don’t feel like dying in here with the rest of you morons… so I guess I have no choice but to talk.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Good boy.

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Don’t get used to me listening to what you’re asking. This is not happening again.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Yeah yeah, you can go on your little edgy rants once we’re done here… go on, speak!

 

Tadao: Fine…

 

 

{Black and white image of Tadao in the archives}

 

Tadao: I woke up early this morning because I wanted to check the archives…

 

Kôzuke: The… archives?

 

Tadao: Don’t fucking interrupt me. If you wanna be surprised do it silently!

 

Kôzuke: S-Sorry…

 

Tadao:  I didn’t stay with my partner cuz… it’s Raiko so you feel me.

 

Shinto: Fair enough.

 

Tadao: I went to the archives to see if there were any files about me… I wanted to keep my real identity on the down low y’know…

 

Tadao: I was nose deep in some files and then…

 

{An unknown figure hits Tadao on the back of the head, he crumbles}

 

Tadao: One of you assholes hit me from behind…

 

Reijiro: You were assaulted by the killer…? Are you saying that you are in a situation similar to mine?

 

Tadao: Guess so… anyways after that I guess I kinda passed out for like a really short period of time.

 

Tadao: I’m not sure if I was ever fully unconscious but I was definitely… dazed y’know.

 

Fusume: So you were assaulted… and then what?

 

{Tadao is shown to be getting back to his feet}

 

Tadao: Well when I got up my my attacker was gone… and I realised that they… had taken my armband.

 

Kenji: You mean that eye thing?

 

Tadao: Yeah… it means a lot to me… don’t ask. I had to get it back… I had to.

 

Tadao: That’s when I noticed that the closet door was open… and it definitely wasn’t open before all this. So I went there and investigated.

 

{Tadao enters the closet, desperately looking for his armband}

 

Tadao: Then… I’m not really sure what happened, I must have pushed the lever by accident…

 

{The back wall of the closet rotates and Tadao is propulsed into the music room}

 

Tadao: I was tossed around by a fucking closet… and so here I was in the music room.

 

Hikari: So that’s how you got there…

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} And you’re saying that you didn’t actually know about the secret passage… it was just an accident?

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Sure thing… how the hell would I have known about it?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} And so the footprints… they’re yours?

 

Tadao: Yup. I stepped in that puddle walking out… well, more like falling out of that closet.

 

Tadao: {Malicious smile} If you don’t believe me… smell my shoes, they’ll smell like coffee alright.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hmm… non merci

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} And all dat eye thin’ through the key hole… was that you?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Uh huh… y’all were making a ton of noise outside and I panicked a little so I checked out what was going on through the keyhole…

 

Tadao: I used my left eye just in case… but it looks like that’s what made y’all catch me kyehehe…

 

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} But Tadao… hold on a minute, you say that the killer stole your arm band but… you are wearing your armband…

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Yeah… I found it on the floor… next to Rina’s body.

 

Kôzuke: Whaat?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} She was undoubtedly dead when I entered the room.

 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} So you’re saying that Hayato is right in his theory?

 

Tadao: {Malicious smile} Yup. Looks like he’s the smartest out of y’all… I guess I see why you’d suspect me… but I didn’t do it… and you’re a fucking idiot if you think otherwise.  

 

Yes! I knew I was right! And now that he broke from his silence… I think the others are starting to realise that he’s likely not the killer-

 

Kenji: {Furious} That’s a load of bullshit! Obviously he’s gonna claim that he’s innocent… but he’s the fucking killer I tell you!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Kenji… I already found three flaws in your arguments against Tadao. Maybe you should reconsider…

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Yeah, what the fuck is your problem with me seriously?

 

Kenji: {Furious} You’re the fucking caped kidnapper bro! Obviously I have a problem with you!

 

Tadao: {Malicious smile} Huh… guess that makes sense. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Seriously guys why the hell should we believe what this guy says?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} I don’t trust his words.

 

Kenji: See-

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} But I trust Hayato.

 

Hayato: M-me?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Your arguments make a lot of sense… and you’ve proven yourself to be very perceptive. If you think he’s innocent… I want to trust you!

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Yes! I also trust Hayato-kun!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} If anybody knows what’s going on it’s probably him!

 

Hayato: Guys…

 

Thank you Hikari… this means so much to me… I wish I could tell her just how much it does. I’m so glad that she’s not resentful of me any longer… I can’t express how I feel…

 

Fusume: {Confident} It feels like most of us are starting to believe in Tadao’s innocence… well done Hayato.

 

Tadao: {Malicious smile} Cheers mate!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Maybe Hayato knows what he’s talking about… but I’m still not convinced. I want more evidence before I can fully rule him out.

 

Tadao: {Laughs} Evidence like all the evidence you had against me huh?

 

Kenji: Fuck you dude.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Truth is… he has got a point.

 

Hayato: What?

 

Reijiro: {Points to Hayato} You make a convincing argument… but if we want to be sure of his innocence beyond the shadow of a doubt… we need more evidence than what you have presented so far.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I guess you’re right… we still don’t know if Rina was really dead when Tadao entered the room.

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Hey! Didn’t I tell you that her body was already there!?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Your word isn’t enough… sorry.

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Well how the fuck do you wanna prove it then?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} If only we had a better idea of like… the way Rina’s death went down.

 

The way… it went down?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Actually… we do have a way to know that.

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} We do?

 

Fusume: Yes… {Dark look} Hayato and I actually got to hear Rina’s last moment through a phone call…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} A phone call? Where the fuck did you get a phone!?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Well, they weren’t phones… more like very basic walkie talkies…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You had something like that?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Why is this the first time I hear about this?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} It’s a first time for all of us…

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Why did ya not tell us ‘bout it?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} It’s a long story… what matters is what we heard.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} There were two walkie talkies… the one in the victim’s possession was mine… I have no idea when I lost it though… I guess she must have taken it from me at some point.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Huh… you lost it?

 

Jessie: Экинчи ишенбейм! There was no talkie walkie next to Rina-chan’s body? If she talked to you through it right before her death…

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Shouldn’t it have been in the music room with her?

 

I… hadn’t thought of that.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Maybe… maybe the killer took it with them? That way we wouldn’t believe Hayato and Fusume’s story!

 

Hayato: We can’t be sure… at the moment we have to focus on what Rina told us in that phone call!

 

Fusume: {Confident} That’s right… we heard some important things about Rina’s last moments… some of it might be useful for us right now.

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Then go ahead! Tell us about it all!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Careful though… I won’t let you bullshit us into accepting Tadao’s innocence…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I don’t bullshit.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Anyway, listen carefully everyone, it went a little bit like this…

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Reiijiro’s account, Rina’s call, Monokuma File #2, Fusume’s account, Motive videos}

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} So… what was this phone call all about?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Well… the walkie talking on our end lit up…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And once we picked up we heard Rina panicking because she had found a body!

 

Yoko: {Shocked} She found a body? B-but… the only body in that room was hers!

 

Jessie: And then? Did she just hang up?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Yes… the communication was cut and… that was the last we heard of her.  

 

Reijiro: {Smug} We can assume that you were witness to her final moments yes?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Huh, what if there was a recording function on the walkie talkie!?

 

Kôzuke: Maybe it was all recorded before hand!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} What really bothers me is this mention of a body… whose body could it have been?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} There are three people who were unconscious at some point today…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Tadao, Oriana and yourself

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Well, it definitely wasn’t me! I wasn’t in the music room until after her death!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Then maybe she saw Reijiro outside the window!

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} Either that or Music box oughta have been in the music room

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Either way… we need to figure out exactly what happened to determine how credible Tadao’s story is.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Hey, since when are you helpful like this?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Kyehehe…

 

 

That call was… what started it all… we were witness to Rina’s last moments… however there are too many things that simply don’t make sense in what we experienced. I need to determine facts from fiction here!

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Rina’s call → maybe she saw Reijiro outside the window

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I swear to fucking god if it’s me who's wrong again… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Uh… sorry Kenji, nothing personal but…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} It simply couldn’t have been Reijiro’s body that Rina was talking about.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It was not me? How can you know that for certain?

 

Hayato: Simple, it doesn’t make sense with what Rina told us… if I remember correctly, she said:

 

{Flashback}

 

Rina: {Over speaker} Help… HELP ME!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Rina? Is that you? How did you get access to Reijiro’s walkie talkie?

 

Rina: {Over speaker} Fusume is that you? You have to help me. There’s… there’s…

 

Fusume: What’s happening Rina! Tell us!

 

Rina: {Over speaker} There’s a body in the room with me!

 

Wait…

 

Hayato: WHAAAAT?

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: {Determined} The body she was talking about was “in the room with her”. It therefore couldn’t have been Reijiro’s unconscious body as he never even came close to the music room.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Mmph… that much is correct. If the body was in the music room then it cannot have been me.

 

Kenji: {Rips shit open} Dammit! Why am I wrong AGAIN!?

 

Tadao: {Malicious smile} Maybe you should keep quiet next time!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} But… if the body isn’t Reijiro’s and it’s not Tado’s either… whose is it?

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with hand, thoughtful expression} None of them oughta have been in the music room… it be someone else.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Are we sure that it isn’t either of them?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Neither me nor him were in the music room while the victim was alive… that should answer your question.

 

Hikari: {Sad} But then whose body did she see?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Maybe there was no body and she was mistaken.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Or she was lying about it…

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Why the hell would she lie about that man?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The evidence we have does not lead me to believe that she was lying… I propose we stick to assuming she was telling the truth for the moment.

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Ugh… then who the fuck did she see? Cuz it sure as hell wasn’t me!

 

Whose body did she see…? Her call is what made us come to the music room. We need to find the answer to that question.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} The answer is obvious.

 

Hayato: It is?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Why yes, there is only one more person who was unconscious this morning… and therefore one more person who it could have been.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Are you saying that the body that Rina saw was… Oriana’s?

 

Jessie: {Scared} O-Oriana-chan? It was her?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} That actually's kinda plausible… Oriana was unconscious all morning… moreover she isn’t here to testify. It’s quite possible that she was in the music room?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} So the body that Rina thought she saw… you believe that it was Oriana’s unconscious body?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} I see no other possibility.

 

Tadao: {Heinous} That makes no fucking sense.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I beg your pardon?

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Oriana was nowhere in the room when I entered the music room! Are ya dumb enough to think she just vanished?

 

Hayato: That’s… fair. She was not there when we entered the room either.

 

Fusume: {Confident} The boys and I searched the room very thoroughly during the investigation. There was no trace of her.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Obviously she did not vanish. What if the killer simply took her away while they escaped the crime scene.

 

Jessie: But why would they do that?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Probably because the motherfucker who killed Rina is also the kidnapper.  

 

Tadao: You don’t need to look at me every time you say the words kidnapper y’know.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} So the killer brought Oriana to the music room to distract Rina and then killed her… That seems logical.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I believe we can all come to an agreement… this is most likely what happened.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Reijiro… there is a problem with what you’re saying.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} No there is not.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes there is… we still don’t know the killer’s escape route. The thing is it becomes even harder to imagine how they escaped if they had to bring Oriana with them.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} B-but… didn’t we agree that the killer used the secret passage to escape?

 

Tadao: {Malicious smile} Nope. I said that I used it. That doesn’t mean the killer did though.

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} But there is no other way out of the room! Surely it has to be the only way!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} If I may interject, I think you will require additional information about the secret passage to continue with this discussion.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Speak. Do not waste our time.

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Okay fine, if you’re gonna be rude about it I guess I won’t tell you!

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} If you don’t tell us we’ll get stuck and you’ll get bored… that sounds fun to you?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Um… {Menacing} Okay fine, I’ll tell you!

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} You’re not a very good negotiator are you?

 

Monokuma: {Mumbling} This has been the worst trade deal in the history of trade deals… anyways.

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} I will clear things up for you bastards, the secret passage can only be used by one person at a time.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} No matter how small you are, it simply will not fit two people at the same time.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Aw… so that means the killer couldn’t have taken Oriana with them through the closet?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Nope, it’s completely impossible.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Are you 100% sure of that?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} I made the damn thing… of course I’m sure.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} A bear architect…? The Yosh oughta have seen everythin’...  

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} And what if the killer got through the closet themselves and then pulled Oriana in?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Think about it, that simply wouldn’t work.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt} Gr… fine. Maybe it wouldn’t

 

Fusume: {Confident} If Oriana really is the body that Rina saw… then the killer must have found a way to get her out of the music room before we all got there!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We need to find out just how it was done! It might also give us a clue on how the killer themselves escaped!

 

They’re right… if Oriana really was in the music room then we need to figure out how the killer got her out of there…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Kay… I guess we should discuss escape routes again huh? There aren't many possibilities to be fair.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} What about simply da front door!? It coulda been unlocked back then!

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} That’s not false… we don’t know for sure when the door was locked.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Could the killer have take Oriana-chan out of the room through the door and then… come back in to lock it?

 

Could they…?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} No… the timings don’t check out.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I was about to say the same thing. It seems unreasonable to believe that the killer had time to commit their murder and then do all this in the few minutes it took you to get to the crime scene.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Not only that but it seems stupidly risky to just walk out of the room with a body in their hands.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Fair enough… so it ain’t the door.

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} Even if they didn’t go far… I was in the arts and craft room and Tadao was in the archives…

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} There was nowhere to go for the killer!

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} So… the door is definitely not it. I guess the closet can be ruled out too.

 

Tadao: {Malicious smile} Yup. Monokuma said it ain’t possible! Also, I probs would have noticed if somebody came in the room.

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} I thought you were unconscious…

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} As I said, I was only dazed… I think I was conscious enough to notice if somebody walked in the room…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Okay so we’ve eliminated out both the closet and the main door… What does that leave?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Well, the only other way out of the room is the window but…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} We already concluded that it was simply too risky for the killer to escape through the window, falling would have been a real concern.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Yeah! If there was no way out through the window for the killer by themselves… imagine that while carrying a body!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So it can’t be through the window either man…? Then how?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I think we’ve mentioned the three possible ways out of the room… it seemed impossible for the killer to escape but now we know that they had to escape while also carrying Oriana’s body…

 

Hayato: {Determined} And that much is definitely impossible!

 

Jessie: {Scared} D-Does that mean we got it wrong somewhere? There has to be a solution somewhere.

 

Kenji: {Furious} God fucking dammit! We’ve reached another dead end!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Hm… have we?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} What are you talking about!?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The fact that the situation seems impossible doesn’t necessarily means that we’ve reached a dead end…

 

Hayato: {Grinning} In fact, it tells me something crucial about this case!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Something crucial? Then tell us… tell us already!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You better not be bluffing with this!

 

The fact that the killer’s escape was impossible based on what we know… it tells me that:

 

{There was another way out of the room/Oriana never actually was in the room/Oriana never actually left the room}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: Oriana never actually left the room

 

===

 

Hayato: What makes the culprit’s escape seem so impossible is the idea that they had to take Oriana with them… but what if they never did?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Um… what are you saying man?

 

Hayato: {Determined} I think that Oriana was still in the music room when we discovered the body!!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} What?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} B-But…

 

Tadao: {Heinous} That’s impossible!!!

 

Hikari: {Sad} Are you sure about this Hayato?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yes, it’s the only thing that makes sense in my eyes-

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} I already fucking told you that she wasn’t there when I came into the room! Are you questioning my ability to see?!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} N-No… but maybe you simply missed her.

 

Tadao: How the fuck would I miss her!?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It’s not that hard to imagine actually, you entered a room and found a body… you wouldn’t start looking for another one would you?

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Well no but…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} So you claim that Oriana’s body was hidden inside the room?

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} That oughta explain why we ain’t seein’ her when we came in…

 

Hayato: {Determined} Yes. I believe the killer never took Oriana’s body out of the room… they didn’t have to because they found the perfect place to hide her!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} And I assume you know where that hiding place was?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You bet your ass that I do!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… think carefully about what you are about to tell us…

 

Fusume: {Confident} If your theories are correct… we’ll be a whole lot closer to discovering the killer’s identity.

 

The killer’s identity… she’s right, maybe what I’m about to say is going to help us find who the culprit is… either way, what matters right now is that I expose where Oriana was all this time, this will answer a lot of the questions we have at the moment… and hopefully lead us away from this dead end!

 

Hayato: Alright, here goes nothing… {Determined} all this time Oriana’s unconscious body was hidden… right here!

 

{TO BE CONTINUED}

 

Notes:

It feels weird to actually have Tadao speak after all this time of him being so silent! I'd like to thank the talented Cometshina for the updated Tadao sprite which is everything I could have wished for.

Either way, this chapter ends with another cliffhanger (granted it's not as significant as the last one). Once again, I think those who payed attention might know where Hayato is going with this. Think you know where Oriana was hidden, who the killer is or any other prediction/feedback, go ahead! Put it in the comments!

This fic has been going on for over a year now and I'm quite proud of where it's going, we've already hit 2000 hits which is quite a big milestone and I can only hope that number will keep on increasing!

Thanks again for keeping up with me and reading along and see you in the next one ;)

Chapter 26: Chapter 2 : A Gentle Melody for a Lost Soul : Class Trial part 3

Notes:

And so the trial continues, let's see take it back from last time's semi cliffanger!

Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

Question : Where was Oriana’s body hidden?

 

-----

 

P I E N T O H I A N

 

===

 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : I N  T H E  P I A N O

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I GOT IT!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I believe that Oriana’s unconscious body was hidden inside the grand piano…

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Inside… the piano?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yep, I think that when we entered the room and found Rina’s body, this is where Oriana was.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Hm, I see…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But… what makes you say that?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Well, it all comes from something that Reijiro told me during the investigation.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Me?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Yes, if I remember correctly you said that the inside of the piano, next to the piano wires, smelled “sickly sweet”,

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Well, yes… I did say that.

 

Hayato: Then I’d like you all to remember something that we heard a couple of days ago

 

{Flashback} 

 

Rina: {Mimes fainting} It evens smells sickly sweet in here, that’s probably because of your overreacting.

 

I’m not sure that’s how things work.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Actually she is right, there is quite a strong scent here… I can smell it too.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} That’s just me… I think I p-put on too much p-perfume this morning…

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Let’s see… *sniff* *sniff* {Thumbs up} Yup, it definitely comes from Oriana-chan!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} That scent in the piano simply had to be Oriana’s perfume! This can’t be a coincidence.

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} The scent came from Oriana… she even admitted to having put on too much perfume.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} We still ain’t be knowin’ why she wore all that perfume…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Does it matter?

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Nah, probs not.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} But… then why the fuck did you-

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Hm… it does seem like a plausible hiding space, especially if the perfume I smelled was the same as the one she was wearing.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} So… Reijiro, you’re saying that you agree with Hayato?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} It is too soon to say that I agree… I am solely saying that it is a possibility.

 

Cheers for the support friend…

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Who believes in this theory really doesn’t matter… the question is who the hell put Oriana there ?

 

Hayato: Wh-what?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Well, you claim that Oriana’s body was hidden inside the piano but what the hell does that change?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} After all, Oriana’s not the victim of this case. Why does it matter that she was there?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Well, obviously it matters! If the girl got drugged,  kidnapped and then hidden in the crime scene, it has go to be related to our case.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} That’s definitely not what I asked you idiot. Keep quiet and let Hayato answer me.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I-Idiot?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} You want to know… who put her in the piano?

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} That’s what she asked! Now fucking answer!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Well said. Don’t waste our time Hayato-

 

Who hid Oriana’s body…? To be fair, there’s only one real answer to this question.

 

{The killer/Oriana/Rina}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: The killer

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} It was the killer who hid Oriana’s body in the piano!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} And how the fuck do you know that?

 

Hayato: Well it’s the only thing that makes sense… after all, why would anybody other than the killer try to hide her?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I guess that if it was somebody else they would have reported seeing her body… considering we were looking for her all morning.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Fine, it makes sense…

 

Fusume: {Confident} It appears that Hayato is right once again…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Wait just one second.

 

Oh boy…  what now.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Hm, Reijiro… what’s up?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Please remember what I told you about the grand piano… the sweet scent was not the only unusual aspect I mentioned was it?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Mmh… yes, you did also tell me that it was out of tune right?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Correct. The piano went out of tune over night… that sort of thing simply does not happen without a reason.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} But… how do you know all that?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Because I do. I am a knowledgeable man.

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Somebody please just slap me in the face…

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Okay, here I come.

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Touch me and I’ll fuck you up.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} B-But…

 

Tadao: Stop taking things so literally will ya?

 

Hayato: Anyway… what does that change Reijiro? Does it really matter that the piano was untuned?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It does because luckily for you… {Sly grin} Applying a significant amount of weight on the piano strings can lead to it going out of tune.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} And that means that…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Yes. This would indicate that something heavy was disposed on the strings…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} A body for example

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} N-No way!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} That… that means that Oriana definitely was in the piano right?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} First the perfume and now this, it’s getting too much for it to be just a coincidence.

 

Yes! Looks like my intuition was right-

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I still have a problem with this however.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Y-You do?

 

Ugh…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} My problem is that I noticed the piano’s tuning problem…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Long before the murder

 

Hayato: Wh-What?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I went in the music room first thing in the morning… the piano was already untuned back then.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} And we know for a fact that Rina was still alive at that time.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} This therefore means that this whole preparation must have been done before the morning announcement!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Okay… but it doesn’t really negate my claim now does it?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} I might have gotten the timeline slightly wrong but… the killer definitely put her in that piano!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} This does seem to indicate that the murder was premeditated!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} That’s right… Oriana was sleeping in my room and when I woke up she was gone. The killer likely got to her during night time! This had to be planned in advance!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Yes… this is what I was getting at.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} So… we know now that Oriana was kidnapped during nighttime and hidden in the piano before the morning announcement…

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} We also know that the murder had to be premeditated and that Oriana remained in the piano all morning.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Actually… how do we know that the killer didn’t just take her out of the piano while the murder happened and then put her back in?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Why the hell would they do that?

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Yeah. That seems kinda dumb not gonna lie.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hey! 닥쳐! I’m just saying that the possibility exists!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Jessie has a point, even though it feels illogical, if the possibility exists we should take it into consideration!

 

Hm… does the possibility actually exist? I believe this piece of evidence will answer the question.

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: State of Oriana’s body

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Actually Jessie… I don’t think that what you’re saying is possible

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} It’s not? Pourquoi pas?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Simply because of the lack of blood on Oriana’s body when we found her.

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Are you saying that there should have been blood on Oriana?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} If the killer had touched her then yeah, definitely.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So the killer had… blood on his hands?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Yeah definitely! That would explain the bloody handprint on the walls of the music room!

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: Hey Fusume, what do you think of this?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Hm, let me see.

 

Fusume: {Confident} This looks like a bloody handprint to me. {Leaves}

 

She went back to examining the body.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: That bloodstain on the far wall of the music room was made by a hand… most likely the killer.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} If the blackened left a handprint on the wall, then it is safe to assume that their hands were covered in blood.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} The killer obviously didn’t touch Oriana to bring her out of the piano then… she’d be covered in blood if that we the case.

 

Jessie: {Sad} Hm okay… sorry.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Hey, don’t feel bad Jessie. It’s good that you’re trying to help.

 

Fusume: {Confident} So… let me recap what we know. Oriana was hidden in the piano all morning and remained there until after the murder. This therefore means that the blackened premeditated this whole thing.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} It’s cool that we know all this but… as long as we don’t know who the blackened actually is it doesn’t mean much.

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} That’s not necessarily true. Knowing about the method will help us find out more about the blackened’s identity.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Still… I reckon it oughta be important to be findin’ out more…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} No need for that. I know exactly who kidnapped Oriana!

 

Yoshi: {Shocked} Awawawawa! No way!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Kenji… you actually know that?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} You bet your ass that I do!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Kenji-kun… knows who did this to Oriana-chan?

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Oh I’ve got to hear this!

 

Kenji: {Furious} I wouldn’t act so tough if I was you mister Caped Kidnapper!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Wait… you’re flipping it on me again?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Of course I am! If anyone here is capable of kidnapping Oriana it’s you!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} How many times do I have to tell your idiotic ass that I have nothing to do with this!?

 

Yoko: {Angry} And we won’t believe you because you’re a freaking criminal!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} The broad too? Yo fancypants, why don’t you put a leash on your missus?

 

Shinto: {Serious} Use that word one more time… I dare you.

 

Jessie: {Sad} Kyah, angry Shinto-kun is scary!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Shinto… do you also think that Tadao is kidnapped Oriana?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} It’s the most logical thing to me… I don’t see anybody else capable of doing this.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} The guy’s job is literally to kidnap people… it wouldn’t surprise me if it was him.

 

Tadao: {Malicious smile} Huh, so the gang's all up against me now is it?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} My concern is that we agreed that the kidnapper was most likely Rina’s killer and Hayato has made a pretty good job proving Tadao’s innocence in the murder.

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} That’s right I didn’t kill the bitch! We already established that she was long dead when I entered the room!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That’s cool and all but this isn’t about the murder anymore… it’s about who kidnapped Oriana…

 

Kenji: {Furious} And you’re the prime fucking suspect!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Whaa? Ain’t the the trial about the murder?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Yes it is… but we’re just taking a small detour to solve the matter of Oriana’s kidnapping.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} When it comes to Tadao’s guilt… I still have my doubts, we can’t accuse him without any actual evidence against him!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Isn’t the motherfucker’s identity evidence enough!?

 

Fusume: {Confident} No it’s not! We can’t let prejudices decide the trial! The truth will be found through evidence!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I cannot believe that you are this foolish…

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Reijiro… you’re talking to me?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Why obviously. You truly are foolish if you are this blind to the obvious truth.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} This boy has been proved to be the caped kidnapper. There is therefore no doubt on his guilt in this matter.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Who the hell do you think you are talking to me like that!?

 

Oh no… this is gonna get out of hand isn’t it?

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Seriously… I told you that I didn’t do it! Quit accusing me of stupid shit already.

 

Yoko: {Angry} We have absolutely no reason to listen to a criminal like you!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I told you we couldn’t trust this guy…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Wait! Please! We still don’t have enough evidence to accuse him!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Does it really matter? Most of us believe that he did it…

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} We should at least continue down this line of questioning.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’re wrong! It’s not most of the group! Some of us are sane enough to realise this is unfair towards Tadao!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Criminals like him don’t deserve fairness.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Can you really talk on that matter Raiko-chan?

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Even you Raiko? I thought that we were buddies, teammates… a pair or whatever you guys called it.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I have no respect for people like you.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato! Speak some sense into them! They obviously don’t realise how wrong they are about Tadao!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} M-Me?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I’ll do you one better!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} M-Monokuma?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} You’re going to make us do that scrum thing again right?

 

Monokuma: {Sad} Why you gotta steal my lines like that… you really ruin all the suspense of my dramatic announcements!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Either way! Raiko’s got it spot on! You guys are split down the middle so it’s time for another scrum debate!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Hopefully that will clear your disagreements.

 

Kenji: {Furious} It won’t clear shit! Tadao’s got to be guilty of… at least something!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I guess we’ll have to show you… how wrong you all are!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, how amusing…

 

Another scrum debate huh… it worked okay last time… Guess I’ve got to talk some sense into the other guys… it’s definitely too soon to accuse Tadao without any evidence against him.

 

We’ve got to get everyone on the same page, I’ll show them all the truth, I’ve got no other choice!

 

{Scrum Debate: Start}

 

Tadao orchestrated Oriana’s kidnapping

 

Kenji: …

 

Shinto: …

 

Yoko: …

 

Raiko: …

 

Kôzuke: …

 

Kenji: …

 

Reijiro: …

 

 

Tadao did not kidnap Oriana

 

Hayato: IMPORTANT

 

Hayato: ORIANA

 

Hikari: ALIBI

 

Jessie: DUMBBELL

 

Fusume: CASPIAN

 

Tadao: MOTIVE

 

Yoshi: MUSIC ROOM

 

 

Kenji: First things first, Tadao’s got no alibi at all for today.

 

Shinto: Because nobody can vouch for him, he was free to move Oriana around as much as he wanted all morning!

 

Yoko: We already know that Tadao went to the music room, that’s gotta make him suspicious!

 

Raiko: Knowing the type of person Tadao is… it’ll be easy to find a motive for the kidnapping.

 

Kôzuke: That dumbbell of his was perfect to tranquilise Oriana… and we also know that he was strong enough to carry it around!

 

Kenji: All this shit aside, the guy’s fucking Caspian! That should be evidence enough!

 

Reijiro: At the end of the day, is this really important? I propose that we focus on the murder rather than this nonsense.  

 

{Scrum Debate : End}

 

 

 

 

Answer:

 

Kenji: ALIBI

 

Shinto: ORIANA

 

Yoko: MUSIC ROOM

 

Raiko: MOTIVE

 

Kôzuke: DUMBBELL

 

Kenji: CASPIAN

 

Reijiro: IMPORTANT

 

===

 

Kenji: First things first, Tadao’s got no alibi at all for today.

 

Hikari: Well actually, I think you’ll find that there are a lot of us without alibi for this morning!

 

 

Shinto: Because nobody can vouch for him, he was free to move Oriana around as much as he wanted all morning!

 

Hayato: That’s not actually true, we’ve already established that it was impossible for the killer to move Oriana’s body.

 

Yoko: We already know that Tadao went to the music room, that’s gotta make him suspicious!

 

Yoshi: Nah that ain’t so! We already be knowin’ for a fact that he ain’t gone back to the music room after goin’ there after the murder!

 

Raiko: Knowing the type of person Tadao is… it’ll be easy to find a motive for the kidnapping.

 

Tadao: Um… actually no, I have no motive at all, why the hell would I kidnap her considering I’m not the blackened?

 

Kôzuke: That dumbbell of his was perfect to tranquilise Oriana… and we also know that he was strong enough to easily carry it around!

 

Jessie: But… even though Tadao-kun was stronger than we thought, he still needed both hands to carry the dumbbell, זה בטח היה טרחה!

 

 

Kenji: All this shit aside, the guy’s fucking Caspian! That should be evidence enough!

Fusume: As I said, his secret identity as Caspian doesn’t matter, we need some real evidence against him before accusing him.

 

 

Reijiro: At the end of the day, is this really important? I propose that we focus on the murder rather than this nonsense.  

 

Hayato: Of course it’s important! The killer and the kidnapper are likely the same person! That’s why we need to identify them!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: If you think about it logically, there is absolutely no evidence against Tadao in Oriana’s kidnapping!

 

Hayato: {Determined} He’s innocent of both the murder and the kidnapping! That is the truth!

 

 

Shinto: {Looks down} Fine… I guess we might have gotten carried away a little bit.

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Maybe Tadao’s actually innocent… despite how creepy he is.

 

Tadao: {Amused} The love’s mutual baby.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} No matter what y’all say… this fucker’s suspicious in my book.

 

Fusume: {Confident} We’ve all got reasons to suspect him… but the evidence in this case… it seems to be in his favor.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… how interesting… I did not believe him being innocent was really a possibility.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Reijiro. Don’t you have anything to say to me?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Me?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Oh no, I am fine thank you very much.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You… you…

 

Hikari: {Smiles} All things aside, I think it’s important that we all agree that Tadao is not as suspicious as he might… appear.

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Thank you? Or fuck you… either one works.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Fine… maybe we don’t have enough evidence against him just yet… but it’ll come up eventually, I’m sure of it!

 

Tadao: {Amused} Ah… the beauty of ignorance.

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Guys… you might not take this too seriously but I think that finding out who kidnapped Oriana really is important.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} And that’s because…?

 

Hayato: {Determined} Because the killer and the kidnapper are very likely the same person!

 

Fusume: {Confident} And we need as much information on that person as we can find.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} If that’s the case then there’s one question you must answer.

 

Huh?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Raiko-chan… what question are you talking about?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} How did the kidnapper bring Oriana to the elevator?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, of course… this matter is of the utmost importance.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} How… she finna be… brought there?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} We’ve established that we had no access to the elevator until Monokuma summoned it for a class trial.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} There is no secret key or anything that would allow us to summon it ourselves… yet Oriana’s body was still found lying there.

 

Raiko: {Grimace} So how do you propose the kidnapper accessed it under these impossible conditions?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Is… is that really important man?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Let Hayato answer the question… I believe he will figure out how important it is in due time.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Oh… okay.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Very well… Raiko you want me to tell you how the kidnapper accessed the elevator yes?

 

Raiko: Go ahead…

 

Shinto: {Serious} Hayato you… you actually know something like that?

 

Hayato: {Determined} I think I do yeah.

 

There’s only one thing that logically makes sense here.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The kidnapper had access to the elevator because :

 

{Monokuma helped them/There is a secret passage to the elevator/Monokuma mistakenly called the elevator}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: Monokuma helped them

 

===

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} There aren’t many possibilities as far as ways to summon the elevator… the only possibility is that Monokuma called it himself.

 

Monokuma: {Happy} That’s right! Only this cute-ass bear holds the ancient powers necessary to summon… the machine.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You literally press a button bro… don’t make it sound more epic than it really is.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} So Monokuma called the elevator you’re saying… but why?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} The answer is simple… remember what he told us yesterday night…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Happy} In fact, I am so incredibly happy that the planning is in process that I’m willing to help the future blackened in his crime!

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} PFFF WHAT?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} If the blackened needs any additional material or assistance just let me know upupu!

 

Yoko: What happened to not interfering!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Shut up! Let me show my gratitude to those of you who have finally deciding to stop my boredom!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Monokuma explicitly told us that he was willing to help the blackened with his crime.

 

Hayato: {Determined} And as we know, the only one who could have called the elevator was Monokuma…

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Oh my god! That means that the blackened simply asked Monokuma to summon the elevator! That’s how they got Oriana in there.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} It was… really that simple?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Moreover, because the bear would only help the blackened… it confirms that the blackened and the kidnapper are the same person!

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s the only way it could have happened!

 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} …

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Fine, you got me! One of you bastards asked me to help them hide Oriana’s body… so I did!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} And that person is one of you guys!

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} I’m guessing you won’t tell us who that was will you?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Obviously not! That would ruin the whole trial would it not?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Mmph, him not telling us is not that big of a problem.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} It’s not?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} No… we’ve gained sufficient information from this conversation alone.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} We have solved the issue of the elevator and we now know for a fact that whoever kidnapped her also is the blackened. That sounds like a success to me.

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} I guess we did learn a lot more about the case through all this…

 

Kenji: {Furious} Yeah but we still don’t fucking know who the killer actually is!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} That will come Kenji… sooner rather than later.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} It fucking better…

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} There’s a problem though… are y’all too dumb to notice that too?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Hm, what are you talking about?

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} We be… missin’ somethin’?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Obviously… I wouldn’t say so if it wasn’t the case.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Then spit it out for fuck’s sake.

 

Tadao: {Malicious smile} You say that Oriana’s body was in the piano all this time right? But then…

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Where the fuck did her body go when y’all investigated the music room after the murder!?

 

Fusume: {Shocked} That’s… that’s…

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} How… did I forget this?

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} AHHHHHH!

 

I completely forgot about that! How did I miss this… You’re such a bloody idiot Hayato!

 

Dammit!

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} So Hayato? I’m waiting for your answer!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Why are you asking Hayato!?

 

Tadao: {Amused} Well, he’s been the one answering all the questions so far has he not?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I… I…

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} You searched the music room thoroughly Fusume didn’t you?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I did… Oriana’s body was nowhere to be found.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Couldn’t the blackened simply have like… sneaked her body out of the room while you weren't looking?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} No that’s not possible… I stood guard in the music room all morning… I would have noticed if somebody took her out…

 

Jessie: {Pouting} B-But… Oriana-Chan’s body couldn’t have just disappeared could it?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Obviously not! Bodies don’t just disappear… somebody had to get it out of the room.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} But who? And… how?

 

Tadao: {Amused} That’s your question to answer Tarzan! You’re the one who was guarding the room aren’t you?

 

Kenji: {Disappointed} I swear I would have noticed… there’s no way it would have gone past me.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Well then you must have failed at your job Kenji! The body had to have been disposed off during the investigation time!

 

Tadao: {Amused} The killer left with a body and you didn’t even notice even though you were supposed to be guarding the scene? You just impress me more and more with your stupidity!

 

Kenji: {Furious} You piece of shit! Come over here and I’ll show you…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Enough!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Huh?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Tadao asks an important question… one to which I believe we still do not have the answer to just yet.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} However… this does not mean we should just argue about it aimlessly… we have seen in the past that when we reach a dead end like this one it’s often better to just move on and come back to it later.

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} You want us to just drop this? Stalling for time much…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You can act smug all you want but I don’t think you have the answer to the question either do you Tadao?

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Well no but-

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} And your life is just as on the line as ours… so I propose you stop acting so insufferable and try to help us for a change.

 

Tadao: {Nervous} N-no need to get all worked up, I get it…

 

That was… a rare occurence of Fusume losing her shit… she usually manages to keep her calm.

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} So… we really movin’ on then?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Unless anybody has got an objection to that?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} If it ensures we do not waste time… I am all for it.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Yeah, I don’t like giving up on it like that man… but it’s probably for the best.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Dammit! Another fucking dead end! Why can’t we just keep on advancing with shit…

 

Kenji: {Sad} It feels like we’re just starting all over again… every time.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I mean… we are still getting closer and closer to the truth Kenji-kun… we can’t be so дефетист!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} It’s so fucking frustrating dammit!

 

Shinto: {Looks down} Yeah… we’ve been reaching so many dead ends today… it’s starting to get on my nerves too.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Still, we cannot afford to give up! Even if we have to approach stuff through a different angle we still need to keep on fighting!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Fighting… for the truth!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Well then, what angle do you want us to consider?

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} What ‘bout… your aggression, Smartypants…

 

Jessie: Reijiro’s… aggression?

 

Yoshi: {Proud} Yup! We oughta have mentioned two outa the three incidents of this mornin’, but we missin’ this final one.

 

That’s actually…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yoshi’s right. This case consists of three distinct incidents, Oriana’s kidnapping, Reijiro’s aggression and Rina’s murder…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} We are evidently stuck when it comes to what happened to both girls… so maybe it’s a good idea to talk about the aggression.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Interesting… all three of these events are obviously linked to one another… so yes, I assume that it’s important to talk about all of them for us to find the blackened…

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} We shall focus on that then, is that okay with everyone?

 

We all nodded silently.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} You want to talk about what happened to me? Very well, let me give you a quick rundown of the events of this morning for me.

 

{Black and white image of Reijiro in the quad between the yellow and black building} 

 

Reijiro: After hearing the news of the disappearance of a student, I spent all morning looking for her

 

Reijiro: I went through every nook and cranny in both buildings… not a trace

 

Reijiro: So I decided to take a look at the outside area, hoping find some trace of a scuffle…

 

{Dark figure approaches Reijiro}

 

Reijiro: This is when… the treacherous individual who assaulted me likely snuck behind me…

 

Reijiro: They must have been exceptionally swift for I did not even hear them walk up to me.

 

Kôzuke: You didn’t even hear them?

 

Reijiro: Quiet!

 

Kôzuke: S-Sorry man!

 

{The figure strikes him in the back of the head} 

 

Reijiro: That’s about all I remember, I got assaulted while on the pathway between the two buildings… a sharp pain and then nothing.

 

Reijiro: I awoke a little while later… some of you were witness to that.

 

Fusume: Yes… I remember.

 

Reijiro And… that is about it.

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} That is the tale of how the great Reijiro Yamane was knocked out this morning.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Sounds like you got battered… wish I was there to witness it.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Is… is that all we know about Reijiro-kun’s aggression?

 

Fusume: It appears so… yes.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But then how are we supposed to figure out who struck him? There definitely isn’t enough info in what Reijiro just told us man!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Hm… is that so?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} What do you think Hayato? Is there enough there to figure out who did it?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} No… probably not. But we can definitely reduce the number of suspects…

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} We can?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Of course we can… the same way we thought we could reduce the number of suspects for Rina’s murder.

 

Tadao: {Sombre} You mean… through the weapon motive?

 

Hayato: That’s right… we’re looking for someone with a blunt object that could have been used to hit Reijiro.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} But… couldn’t the killer simply have bypassed it the same way they did for Rina?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} No… it wouldn’t work. The rule applied for Rina because the weapon was still in her hand when she died. That wasn’t the case for Reijiro…

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Doesn’t about weapons just apply for murder though?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Perhaps… but knocking me out with a different weapon would have been too big of a risk… If I died then the blackened would have died too!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hm… I guess that makes sense and so…

 

Jessie: Okay you’ve convinced me! We’re looking for somebody with a blunt weapon!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} That means that the possible suspects are… Yoshi, Shinto, Tadao, Raiko and Reijiro correct?

 

Hayato: Yeah I believe these five are the only ones!

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Well, obviously you can take me off the list… it would have been impossible for me to strike myself with my own weapon…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Furthermore, my bat was a fake as Monokuma stated before… I am therefore clear of all suspicions.

 

Kenji: {Scratches head} Yeah… if you say so.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Um… sorry to interject but I’d like to also take myself off the list! My alibi has been confirmed earlier right?

 

Jessie: {Passionate} Ճիշտ է! Shinto-kun was in the observatory with me all morning! He’s innocent.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes… that much has been proven.

 

Yoshi: {Proud} If that be the case, then take the Yosh’ off the damn list too!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Guys there is no list…

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Broccoli and Ninja girl oughta confirm that I be in the workout room all mornin’, I ain’t gone out of the black buildin’! That be my alibi!

 

Hayato: That’s… {Holds chin} Actually a valid point. Fusume and I can confirm Yoshi’s alibi.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} I second that. He did not exit the building at the time of the incident.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} And that leaves the two weirdos.

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Well… nobody can actually back up my alibi but you know… I did already admit to being in the music room at around the time at which Reijiro got attacked so you know…

 

Tadao: {Amused} I think you should also take me off the list!

 

There. is. no. fucking. list!

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Tadao’s got a point… he couldn’t have been in two places at once… he was too far from Reijiro to have done this.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Fine… I guess he’s innocent.

 

Tadao: {Amused} Please, Tarzan. Say that once more with a tiny bit more conviction!  

 

Jessie: {Shocked} B-But… the only one left is-

 

Raiko: {Grimace} It’s me isn’t it!? I’m the only one without an alibi.

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} You don’t have an alibi?

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} Well no… my partner was off… doing his own thing so I guess I was by myself minding my own business.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Can you tell us whereabouts you were on the resort?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Can’t say I remember… sorry!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Because that’s not suspicious at all man…

 

Hm… so Raiko’s the only one with a potential weapon who doesn’t have an alibi for this morning… could this mean that.

 

Kenji: {Excited} I’VE GOT IT ALL FIGURED OUT BRO!

 

Oh no… please not again.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} I’ve listened to all the shit all y’al have said and… I’ve got to say, I’m pretty confident that I’ve cracked the case!

 

Tadao: {Amused} How oh how can you still say such idiocies with a straight face.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Fuck off and listen… I’m sure I’ve got it right this time!

 

Alright… better see what he’s got to say now

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Monokuma File #2, Threatening letter, Reijiro’s account, Burnt piece of wood, Grass Irrigation}

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Fine, maybe I was wrong with all my Tadao theories but…

 

Kenji: {Excited} This time around, there’s no way that I’m wrong!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Is that so… tell us more Kenji-kun.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You see… Raiko’s the fucking killer in this case!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Oh, I am? How interesting.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Don’t act all innocent bitch! I know you did this to Rina!

 

Kenji: You had no alibi all morning…

 

Kenji: {Excited} Therefore nobody can prove that you weren’t at the music room this morning!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Um… and then what happened man?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Then… she escaped out the window… somehow.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} I thought I had made clear how impossible

this escape route was!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Y-Yes but… shut up bro, listen to the rest of my theory.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Oh please, indulge us.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} The bitch escaped through the window… somehow and then she ran through the grass to reach the black building!

 

Kenji: {Excited} The thing is that Reijiro was on her way! So because she didn’t want to be seen, she clobbered his sorry ass!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} … is that it?

 

Kenji: {Sweating} Uh… yes?

 

Tadao: {Amused} It just gets better and better with you Tarzan.

 

 

So… this time I feel like even Kenji himself wasn’t 100% on board with his own theory. I should probably show him why it doesn’t work the way he claims it does.

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Grass irrigation → she ran through the grass to reach the black building!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Kenji: {Sad} Please Hayadog… please let me have this.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Well the thing is that-

 

Kenji: {Sad} Even if there’s an inconsistency just… c’mon bro let it slide! At least one time.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I… I…

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Sorry Kenji, no can do, there’s quite a serious problem with what you just told us…

 

Tadao: {Sombre} And that is?

 

{2D diagram of the resort is shown}

 

Hayato: Take a look at this diagram and tell me what lies directly under the windows of the yellow building rooms.

 

Jessie: Well um… it’s the grassy patches that surround the resort right?

 

Hayato: Precisely… and that’s exactly why the killer couldn’t have gone out through the window!

 

Kenji: Th-they couldn’t?

 

Yoshi: Awawa?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} We previously established that Rina’s death happened right after 2 PM.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Indeed, that much was made clear by the time on the grandfather clock.

 

Kenji: {Sweating} Y-Yeah, maybe it was at 2 PM and so what?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Do you not remember what happens at that time around the resort?

 

{Flashback}

 

Monokuma: {Surprised} Oh and by the way, you see all this grass around the resort.

 

It’s kinda hard to miss it, the floor is covered with grass, the only way to avoid it is through this narrow walkway I’m standing on.

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Most of the time you’re free to walk on the grass however, between 1 and 3 PM the grass gets automatically irrigated and that means you ain’t going on it. That clear?

 

Hayato: Hm, okay.

 

Monokuma: If one of y’all puts one foot on the grass while it’s being irrigated, I’ll kill you! In fact, let me make it extra clear!

 

My resident ID vibrated in my pocket.

 

I opened it to see that a new rule had been added to the rules and regulations section.

 

Rule #11: It is absolutely forbidden to walk on the grass between 1PM and 3PM

 

I see, he’s really adamant about us not stepping on the grass huh.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Now you have no choice but to obey me upupupu. Don’t let me catch you walking on that grass.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} 2PM is right in the middle of the irrigation process! That means it was completely forbidden to step on the grass at that time!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} If I get this correctly then… if the killer escaped through the window…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} They would land on the grass and get instantly executed!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} That’s damn right! If there’s one thing I don’t joke around with it’s gardening! Oh and murder!  So combine the two and you get a nice execution for those of you kids who don’t respect the damn rules!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Okay okay man… we get it!

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Hm… it was impossible to escape through the window then… which means that Kenji’s theory has, to everybody’s surprise, turned out to be false again.

 

Kenji: {Sad} …

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} Actually… even though he was wrong about the window part… Raiko’s still the only one with a blunt weapon who could have hit him isn’t she?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} It’s true… I cannot think of anybody else with an adequate weapon.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} They’ve got a point Hayato… do you think I could have done this?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Again why me…? and also why the hell are you accusing yourself!?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Just trying to get you to think a little bit… so, is there any piece of evidence that proves that I couldn’t be involved in this crime?

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} Um… that feels like a loaded question.

 

Yeah… the way Raiko phrased that question, it’s clear that she’s got a piece of evidence in mind… the question is which one. I need to think this through carefully…

 

The evidence that will cross Raiko’s name off the… damn list is:

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Luminol Test Results

===

 

Hayato: As some of you might know, Raiko got access to Luminol Powder.

 

Monokuma: {Overacting} WHAT? I wonder where she got it from

 

Monokuma: {Whispering} Hey Raiko, I’m still waiting on that murder plan you know!

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} We uh… we can hear you dude.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Anyway, as you all got to see last time, a luminol test will easily determine if a surface was in contact with blood, whether it gets wiped or not.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, are you claiming that the test on her weapon came out negative?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} That’s right! I can do it again right now if you don’t believe me! The test was 100% negative, my golf club was not exposed to blood at all hehe!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} We… don’t need to go through it again Raiko, we believe you.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Damn but… that definitely goes to show that she didn’t do it either.

 

Fusume: {Confident} There would have been blood on it from attacking Reijiro… and honestly, blood would probably have sprayed out onto it from Rina’s wound… even though it wasn’t the murder weapon.

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Exactly, this test proves that I never came close to either Reijiro or Rina! Isn’t that awesome?

 

Yoshi: {Angry} N-No it ain’t! We… we be stuck again!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Are we… actually stuck man?

 

Hikari: {Sad} I mean… we’ve been through all the possible weapons and all the possible suspects for Reijiro’s aggression and… we still have nothing.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} It feels like none of us could have done it… we all get proved innocent one after the other again and again.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Whoever the blackened… they definitely did a good job hiding their crime I’ll tell you that.

 

We’re… stuck again? It can’t be can it?

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Grr… all these dead ends are really starting to piss me off! Can’t the killer just fucking announce themselves so we can move on with our lives?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} If only it was that simple…

 

Jessie: {Sad} Is there… really nothing else to talk about?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I… cannot think of anything else… we’ve gone through every possibility… for every incident… I… I just don’t know.

 

No… I can’t let it end like this. If people just lose hope then we’re doomed. I need to find something… anything.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Guys… this is the time for brainstorming.

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Brainstorming?

 

Hayato: {Determined} Yeah, all these dead ends must mean that we’re really close to the truth!

 

Tadao: {Amused} Is that so?

 

Hayato: Yeah! We’re close to it… we’re just missing one tiny element to link everything together… I’m sure of it!

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} If… if ya say so broccoli…

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Alright, I shall bite. What do you propose we do.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Let’s just you know… brainstorm, throw out ideas about something we could be missing in this case. That’s all I need.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} It sounds more like somebody is stalling for time with this.

 

Tadao: {Heinous} You bluffing cowboy?

 

Hayato: N-no! Trust me with this guys! Seriously, we’re super close to figuring it all out!

 

I mean, I hope we are…

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Okay guys! Let’s trust Hayato and do our best!

 

That’s right… trust me… even though I have no idea where I’m really going with this. All I need is that spark!

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Luminol test results, Reijiro’s account, Threatening letter, Burnt piece of wood, Yoko’s account }

 

Tadao: So… you want us to just throw random theories!

 

Yoshi: {Proud} I know! Maybe this murder ain’t even actually happened for real!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Okay somebody else?

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Kenji-kun? Do you not have a theory for us?

 

Kenji: {Sad} No. I’m sulking… sick and tired of being shut down.

 

Tadao: {Amused} Okay, so the two idiots don’t have anything to say… anybody else?

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Okay then, I’m guessing we should try to think outside the box right?

 

Shinto: Maybe there’s yet another escape route we didn’t think of!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Or maybe this murder used accomplices more than we assumed!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Perhaps the blackened tried destroying evidence …  they left a trace so to speak.

 

Yoshi: {Angry} Hey! The Yosh’s theory was a lot more fun!

 

Tadao: {Furstrated} They’re not supposed to be fun you idiot!

 

Tadao: Oh you know what, screw this…

 

 

A lot of interesting theories right there… some more than other obviously. The question remains: is there anything there that can help me connect all the dots?

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Burnt piece of wood → the blackened tried destroying evidence

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Fusume} Yeah you’re right

 

{BREAK}

 

This was supposed to my trump card… I think it’s time I use it.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Fusume’s right… the killer did try to get rid of evidence… {Grinning} Luckily for us they did a bad job at it!

 

Kôzuke: No way, how do you know that man!’

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… go on.

 

Hayato: When I investigated the trash room I found…

 

{Closeup on the burnt piece of wood} 

 

Hayato: This.

 

Yoshi: Wha… what is it?

 

Jessie: It looks like… wood right?

 

Fusume: Judging by its current state… this small piece of wood was burnt in the incinerator.

 

Kenji: Only the bottom half actually looks burnt… I guess it was part of a larger object and this piece fell off when it was put in the incinerator.

 

Tadao: That’s all cool and all but… what is it?

 


Hayato: Well that’s the thing… I’m not really sure.

 

Kenji: Are you fucking serious?

 

Yoko: If you don’t know then what was the point of showing us this?

 

Tadao: So you definitely are bluffing.

 

Hayato: No… no… give me a chance to explain.

 

Reijiro: AH! Give… give this to me.

 

Hayato: What?

 

Reijiro: Give it to me I tell you!

 

{Back to normal}

 

I handed the piece of wood to Reijiro who examined it in great detail until…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Whoever did this… is a monster.

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} You mean the blackened?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} The blackened is definitely a monster, they endangered three of our friends!

 

Reijiro: {Head down, glasses shining} No, I mean the person who burnt this… beautiful instrument.

 

Kôzuke: Instrument? Are you saying this piece of wood came from an instrument?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} That’s what’s got you all worked up Reijiro? I get that you like music but you know…

 

Reijiro: Destroying an instrument is a crime… that I shall never forgive!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Why in god’s name would somebody burn… a musical instrument?

 

Tadao: {Points at hairband} And also how can you be so sure that it came from an instrument?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, are you implying that I cannot recognise the neck of a cello? Even a beginner in my field could tell the difference between a vulgar piece of wood and one used to create… such a beautiful object.

 

Reijiro: You see… this design carved in the wood… as well as these slivers in the wood itself… they’re all typical features of a cello neck!

 

Wait.

 

 

Wait.

 

 

This… this makes no sense. Could it be that…

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Ngh… there’s no… way in hell.

 

It looks like Fusume realised the same thing that I did…

 

Hayato: Reijiro… what you just told us… it’s incredibly important.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Everything I say is important to some degree.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Wait, you think it actually matters that somebody burnt a god damn cello?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Yes, it’s of crucial importance… it… it has to be important

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Can somebody please explain what’s going on?

 

I need to make it clear to everyone, they do not have the information that Fusume and I do… when I explain it to them… hopefully they'll realise what this implies…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Everything that Reijiro just explained to us might seem unrelated to the case… but I don’t think it is.

 

Hayato: {Determined} In fact, this is probably the clue I needed to solve this case!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} N-No way! You’ve solved it?

 

Hayato: With all this new information there’s one person who’s become awfully suspicious… this person… it’s…

 

There’s no turning back now… and as much as I still don’t understand what this means for the case… as much as I don't quite know where this will take me.  One person is now on my radar… It all points to them and I need to expose that person to the others, I have no choice.

 

Once again, I instinctively pointed my index finger to one of my classmates as I screamed the words which would likely seal their fate.

 

{Closeup on Hayato} 

 

Hayato: YOU! You’ve got some serious explaining to do to all of us!

 

{CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT}

 

Hayato: {Determined} …

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …

 

Fusume: {Dark look} …

 

Kôzuke : {Grasps medals} …

 

Jessie: {Scared} …

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} …

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} …

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} …

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} …

 

Yoko: {Fans herself, nervously}

 

Kyia

 

Tadao: {Amused} …

 

Fukami

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Rina

 

Notes:

It's time to accuse someone. Do you know who Hayato has in mind and could this person be the one responsible for all these incidents? Go ahead and write your theories and feedback in the comments! As usual it makes my day!

My exams are finally over so I can hopefully start writing more regularly and get back on schedule soon!

Thanks again for reading and sticking with the story!

See you in the next one ;)

Chapter 27: Chapter 2 : A Gentle Melody for a Lost Soul : Class Trial part 4

Notes:

We're back, time to finally find out who Hayato's main suspect is...

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

{Select Yoshi}

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Yoshi… what have you done?

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} M-Me?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You think Yoshi did it?

 

Jessie: {Sad} Yoshi-kun… that’s impossible!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Now wait a second…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} This is your chance to defend yourself against these accusations… better make them count.

 

Yoshi: I…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Yoshi! Say something!

 

Yoshi: {Angry} OKAY! Fine, The Yosh’ confesses!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} You’re… confessing?

 

Is he going to admit it… already?

 

Yoshi: {Sad} I dun did it… it is I, Yoshi Akeno who was stealin’ all the chocolate from the buffet since day one!

 

Yoshi: {Angry} Arrest me! The Yosh’ deserve punishment!

 

Yoshi: {Sad} I ain’t able to control myself! Sorry!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} …

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Wait… what the hell?

 

Yoshi: {Sad} Y’all can put me in jail! Where scum like me belongs!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} What is this… farce?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Yo Hayato… is this some sort of joke you and him prepared… cuz it ain’t funny!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} N-No… I think there’s been a misunderstanding… that’s all.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Oh… was that not what y’all were talkin’ about? My bad then.

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} No… that was definitely not what we were talking about.

 

Jessie: {Scared} Then… when you were accusing Yoshi-kun… it was-

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s right… Yoshi! I believe that you are the mastermind behind this whole case!

 

Yoshi: {Shocked} Awawawawa!

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} You mean that the blackened… is this idiot?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Yoshi… the killer?

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} …

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} That is my theory yes…

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Intriguing… and can you explain to us how you reached this conclusion?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah, how the fuck did you get from a cello being burnt to Yoshi behind the blackened?

 

Hayato: It’s quite simple really, Kenji, perhaps you’ll remember what happened earlier this morning during the investigation.

 

{Flashback}

 

Fusume: {Happy} Boys, if you will…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You’re damn right I’m taking the heaviest instrument out first! I’m the strongest one here!

 

Yoshi: {Angry} Hey that ain’t true! The Yosh’s core strength be out of dis world!

 

Kenji: {Furious} You’re joking right? I’m huge as fuck!

 

Yoshi: Nuh uh, I ain’t jokin’

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Well I’m grabbing the drumkit! Try to find heavier than that!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} The Yosh’ be… carryin’ this big cello over here! It be lookin’ pretty heavy.

 

Kenji: Tch, it’s definitely lighter than my drumkit you tool.

 

Jessie: {Laughing} Guys, this isn’t a competition!

 

Kenji and Yoshi: {In unison} OF COURSE IT IS

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yoshi seemed pretty happy to take that cello case out of the music room… all that under the pretext of a competition with you… Kenji.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I do remember that! But… you’re saying it was no coincidence that he picked that cello case?

 

Hayato: No. That was all part of his plan… wasn’t it Yoshi?

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} …

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But… why the hell was this cello case so important man? I still don’t get how it relates to the murder!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} You’re right… I should make it clear to everyone… because this cello is crucial to solving the case.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph, go on…

 

Fusume: {Confident} First things first, I believe you should tell us when the cello was burnt. Was it before or after the murder?

 

She’s right, that’s an important question to answer. But if I think logically about the relation between the cello case and the events of today… there’s only one possible answer.

 

Hayato: The cello was disposed of in the incinerator…

 

{Before the murder/After the murder}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: Before the murder

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} It was before the murder… likely during nighttime when nobody would hear a thing.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} During… nighttime?

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Okay… I guess that would explain why no one actually noticed.

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} B-But… why dammit! Why would the blackened burn a freaking cello!?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} If you want us to believe your theory Hayato… you’ve gotta explain that to us.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It’s time… Hayato, tell them.

 

Hayato: Very well, the reason the cello case is so important… it’s because it was used to:

 

{Hide the blackened/Hide Rina’s body/Transport Oriana’s body out of the music room}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: Transport Oriana’s body out of the music room

 

===

 

This is it… this question really messed with my brain but… I’ve finally got the answer to it.

 

Hayato: {Determined} The cello was burnt before the murder even happened… which means that when Yoshi took the cello out of the music room during the investigation…

 

Hayato: {Grinning} There was no cello in it… because the cello had already been turned to ashes. Yet, it was still heavy enough for Yoshi to use his competition with Kenji as a pretext…

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} But then… what was in it?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You can’t possibly mean that…

 

Hayato: {Determined} When Yoshi took it out of the music room, Oriana’s unconscious body was in it! That’s the way her body was moved to the elevator!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} N-No way!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} The body was just transported right in front of our eyes like this…?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} How ingenious…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} That means that if I hadn’t asked Kenji and Yoshi to empty the music room…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We might have found the body!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Don’t blame yourself Fusume… you had no way to know.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} That being said, emptying the music room gave Yoshi a perfect opportunity to get the body out of the crime scene and into the elevator where we later found her…

 

Tadao: {Sombre} I guess the body was moved from the piano to the cello case at some point today then?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Yeah, probably

 

Hayato: {Determined} That cello case is the only thing big enough to carry her body that left the music room after the murder… and you were the one who took the cello case.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} So tell me… am I wrong?

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} …

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Yoshi! Say something!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I don’t believe you’d do something like this Yoshi-kun! Just defend yourself!

 

Yoshi: {Angry} I… I…

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Don’t know nothin’.

 

Um… what?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Wait… you’re just flat out denying everything that Hayato just said?

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} Yuh… the Yosh’ ain’t aware of what broccoli boy just said…

 

Yoshi: Allz I know is that I took dat cello thing cuz it be lookin’ heavy and I wanted to show how strong I be…

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} I took the cello case and brought it to the arts and craft room where y’all told me to bring it… it probably still be there!

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} I don’t know nothin’ about no body!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} He… he doesn’t know anything… {Thumbs up} That’s right! He can’t be the killer, looks like you were wrong Hayato-kun haha…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I’m afraid it isn’t that simple…

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Yeah! That bastard is likely just lying! He obviously knew that Oriana’s body was in there!

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Hold on a minute, let’s just backtrack real quick… can we even prove that Oriana’s body really was in the cello case?

 

Yoko: {Runs hand through hair} This whole theory is nice and all… but Hayato needs to prove it before we can actually accuse Yoshi!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} She has a point… can you prove that there really was a body in the instrument case?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Well… didn’t I just prove that there was no other way for the body to be taken out of the music room?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} A lack of an alternative isn’t necessarily a proof Hayato… you’re going to need something else.

 

Something else… I don’t think I have anything that actually proves it!

 

 

Actually, wait a second, if you think of it this way…

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} So Hayato… do you have any piece of evidence that proves that Oriana’s body really was in the cello case?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Well… I don’t have any evidence per se.

 

Yoshi: {Angry} See! The Yosh’ told you so!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} But I can still prove it.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} What?

 

Hayato: {Determined} I don’t have the cello case with me but as Yoshi said, it’s likely still in the arts and craft room… if we examine it, then we will find:

 

{Oriana’s perfume/Oriana’s blood/The killer’s blood}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: Oriana’s perfume

 

===

 

Hayato: {Grinning} It worked with the piano… so there’s no reason for it not to work with the cello case.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Ah, I see where this is going…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} You believe that we will find traces of perfume in the cello case yes?

 

Hayato: That’s right! If the inside of the cello case has the same sweet smell as the piano… then it will prove that Oriana’s body really was in there!

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} …

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Oh… oh my! That would definitely prove Hayato’s suspicions would it not!?

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Well um… does anybody want to go and get it quickly or…?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} No can do! There is no walking out of the trial grounds until I say so!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Monokuma, we need to examine it to move forward… you do not want us to be stuck again do you!?

 

Hayato: Y-Yeah! You would get bored once more if we can’t advance with this!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} …

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Ugh… fine. Give me a second {Disappears}

 

We waited quietly for the bear to come back until he finally did a few moments later.

 

Monokuma: {Appears} Wazam! One perfume stained cello case to go! That will be 100000 Monocoins!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} P-Perfume stained!?

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Yo bear, we ain’t got no money to pay you! Remember how you took all our belongings when we arrived.

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} I… I… Fine! Then I guess you just owe me your eternal gratitude!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Yeah… sure…

 

Hayato: {Determined} Either way! I think my point is clear! You don’t need to get too close to tell do you!?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} That smell… it’s back!!

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Huh, this is definitely the same sweet scent as the one we smelled way back then…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes… this is Oriana’s perfume alright.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} And that means that she was definitely there in the cello case!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} There was no other way for her perfume to be in that case was there?

 

Hayato: {Determined} So Yoshi… what do you have to say for yourself now!?

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} …

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} …

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Um… Yoshi?

 

Yoshi: {Bows} The Yosh’ still don’t know what y’all are talkin’ about!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} You… you’re still going to deny it?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Surely you realise that you are the main suspect considering that it has been proved that the body really was in that cello case!

 

Hikari: {Sad} And you’re the one who carried the cello case out of the room Yoshi…

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} …

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You can’t just stay silent and expect us to simply move on you know…

 

Yoshi: The Yosh’ is tryin’ to think…

 

Jessie: {Shocked} You’re thinking…? What about?

 

Yoko: {Angry} If you were telling the truth then you wouldn’t need to think like that!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} No it ain’t like that… I actually ain’t aware of what you’re talkin’ about…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Haven’t we made it clear already?

 

Tadao: {Amused} Body in cello case + cello case in your hands = You suspicious! Get it now asshole!?

 

Yoshi: {Serious} It’s not like that.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Not only is the Yosh’ shocked that you’d be suspectin’ me of murder… but I simply ain’t aware of any body being in the cello case!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} We’ve fucking proved it dickhead! What more do you need?

 

Yoshi: {Serious} That ain’t what I mean!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Then tell us what you mean dammit!

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} I simply hadn’t looked inside the case! I took it out of da room cuz I was asked to so!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You want us to believe that it was just a coincidence that Oriana’s body was in the cello case!?

 

Yoshi: No! Just that it was a coincidence that the Yosh’ brought it out of the music room!

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} You oughta be thinkin’ about it this way… maybe the true killer hid musicbox’s body in dat cello case in order to keep it hidden…

 

Yoshi: {Serious} And then I took it out of there… coincidently.

 

Kenji: {Furious} You son of a bitch you’re really gonna claim that it’s a coincidence that your sorry ass got Oriana’s body away from the crime scene!?

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} You have no way to prove me wrong do you?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I-is that so? Can we not prove that he deliberately used the cello case to move Oriana’s body!?

 

Yoshi: {Serious} You can’t… all y’all know is that I moved the cello case. That’s it.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} He’s got a point Hayato… as long as we can’t prove that he knew Oriana’s body was in that cello case… then we can’t prove that he kidnapped her!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} And by extension that he is the blackened…

 

Yoshi did this… I know he did. I now need to prove his guilt… there’s no alternative!

 

Hayato: {Determined} I guess… I’ll have to prove that he knew about the body then!

 

Yoshi: {Straightens posture} …

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} Show me what you’ve got… Hayato.

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Piece of burnt wood, Threatening letter, « Bloody » stain on the window sill, Reijiro’s account, Allocation of weapons} 

 

Yoshi: {Serious} I ain’t one to discuss the facts…

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} So if y’all proved that music box was in that cello case, nobody can say otherwise

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} But Yoshi! This makes you suspicious!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Especially if you were the only one who touched that cello case!

 

Yoshi: I know the way it looks but c’mon guys! I seriously didn’t know nothin’ about that body

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} As I said, this whole mess be one big coïncidence!

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} And you can’t prove what I’m saying to be wrong can you?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} And what about the cello itself…? Did you burn it Yoshi-kun?

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} No of course not! I ain’t ever seen that wood thing…

 

Yoshi: {Serious} Y’all have already examined everything about it, can’t we just move on?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Huh… maybe we were wrong in suspecting him…

 

 

No… I suspect Yoshi for a reason and I won’t back up just yet… all I need to do is prove that he knew exactly what he was doing when he took the cello case.

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Burnt piece of wood → Y’all have already examined everything about it

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Actually, Yoshi you’re wrong… we haven’t talked about everything concerning this burnt piece of wood

 

Yoshi: {Hand tightens on necklace} Is… that so?

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} There’s something else to mention you say?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yup, we’ve talked about the wood itself… but not about what I found next to it.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} There was something… next to it?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Please… tell us more.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well, as I said, I found this piece of wood next to the incinerator in the garbage room.

 

Hayato: But next to it were these… sweet smelling crumbs.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Crumbs you say…?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Yeah you know… like in a cake and such.

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} And how exactly does that relate to me?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} A… cake…

 

Hayato: Reijiro? Did you figure something out?

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} I asked a question.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Hey is it me or did Yoshi’s accent kinda vanish ever since we accused him?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Kenji, this isn’t the time…

 

Fusume: {Confident} We’re waiting for your answer Hayato, how do these crumbs relate to Yoshi?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Yes, I’ll get to that just give me a minute please.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} You’re bluffing again arn’t you ?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} You better not be fucking with us!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Reijiro figured something out and it’s gotta be important but… what is it?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} You’ve got this Hayato! If you’re facing trouble just think it through slowly… and then you’ll figure it out.

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Figure it out…? I thought you already knew where you were going with this…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Oh please… are you going to tell me that you really do not know where these crumbs came from?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You have essentially said it already. Just think about it.

 

I’ve said it already…?

 

 

Why am I getting stuck on this…? I cannot be this difficult.

 

These crumbs quite clearly had no reason to be in a place like the garbage room… so where did they come from dammit!?

 

Think Hayato, think!

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

Question: Where did the mysterious crumbs come from?

 

-----

 

M R S E H I A Y M H S O

 

===

 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Y O S H I  S  H A M M E R

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I GOT IT!

 

I… I understand now…

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Thank you Reijiro, I finally get it.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Glad to have contributed.

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} So are you finally able to answer the goddamn question?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Absolutely… because Yoshi, these crumbs are the proof I needed to link you to the burning of the cello.

 

Yoshi: {Hand tightens on necklace} That’s… that’s a lie ain’t it.

 

Hayato: {Determined} No! It’s the truth and it doesn’t look too good for you, I’m afraid.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Stop stalling Hayato… go ahead and tell us what this incredible link of yours is.

 

Hayato: Very well… as I said these crumbs had a very sweet smell, almost chocolate-y if you will.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Mein gott! Is this about Yoshi’s chocolate theft!?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} N-No Jessie it isn’t…

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} This is about Monokuma’s last ditch effort at a motive.

 

Monokuma: {Surprised} Me? What did I do this time?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Are you talking about Monokuma’s cake?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That thing about people planning murders and shit?

 

Monokuma: {Sad} You guys didn’t even appreciate all the effort that I put in making this cake…

 

Hayato: {Grinning} And that’s exactly where this relates to our case.

 

Fusume: {Hands covering face}  Ggh… I get it now…

 

Hayato: Please remember the events that unfolded after Monokuma presented the cake to us.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Then why don’t you taste the cake! Tell me if it tastes like lies upupu!

 

Kenji: {Furious} I’ll show you what I’ll do with your fucking cake!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Kenji! Wait!

 

{Camera shows Kenji shoving his boot in the cake, destroying it completely}

 

Monokuma: AHHHHHHHHH! My beautiful creation!!!

 

Kenji: Damn, that felt fucking great, I’ll tell you!

 

Monokuma: How… dare you…

 

Kôzuke: You know what… screw it man!

 

{Kôzuke joins Kenji and also stomps on the cake}

 

Monokuma: AHHHHHH! Not again!

 

Kenji: Damn straight!

 

Yoshi: THREE TIMES THE CHARM!!!

 

{Yoshi jumps in the air and crushes the cake on last time with his hammer}

 

Monokuma: AHHHHHHHH

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah, I remember what happened… Kôzuke and I stepped on it and then… wait!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Yoshi hit the cake with the hammer he was given by Monokuma…

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} …

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Now… if you think about it, a cello’s a big instrument right?

 

Reijiro: {Opens book} Yes, an adult sized cello would measure something under 50 inches…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Then… this means that the cello would not fit inside the incinerator as is…

 

Hayato: {Grinning} To burn it, you’d have to break it into smaller pieces first.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Are you saying that Yoshi used his hammer to break the cello?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} The same hammer that he hit the cake with!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Wait a minute, that means that the crumbs in the garbage room…

 

Yoko: {Shocked} They’re from Monokuma’s cake!?

 

Hayato: Yes that would explain their chocolate smell… they simply come from a chocolate cake.

 

Tadao: {Heinous} And so that would prove that it’s Yoshi’s weapon which was used to break the cello!

 

Hayato: {Determined} And if that’s the case, you can’t pretend like this whole thing was a coincidence Yoshi!

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} Hm… but the Yosh’ doubts that you can prove that these crumbs actually came from that cake!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You’re still gonna deny it? Seriously!?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Actually, that’s not true! There are still crumbs left in the garbage room you know! I’m sure Monokuma could taste them and recognise his recipe!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Of course, of course! The recipe to Monokuma’s Spectacular Chocolate Cake© is secret! Often imitated, never recreated!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} If the crumbs really come from that cake then… I guess you’re fucked bro.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, that is not all… I presume that you did not clean your weapon after using it… if we examine it now then we will find traces of chocolate… thus making your guilt clear as day.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} So go ahead motherfucker… shows us your hammer!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We will learn the truth easily this way…

 

Yoshi: {Hand tightens on necklace} Ngh…

 

Hayato: {Determined} It’s over Yoshi! You can’t dispute the facts anymore!

 

 

He stared at the floor silently for a few seconds…

 

Is it over?

 

Yoshi: {Bows} Fine… y’all got me.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Wait, you’re confessing to it?

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} Yeah… this whole deal with musicbox… it was all me…

 

He’s… confessing?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Y-Yoshi-kun?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} So it was you… you son of a bitch!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} Please! Let me explain!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Let’s vote first and then you can talk all you want!

 

Yoshi: {Angry} No! You can’t be votin’ yet!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Why the fuck not?  You confessed to it didn’t you?

 

Yoshi: {Serious} I confessed to kidnappin’ musicbox… but I didn’t kill anybody!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} You… didn’t?

 

Yoshi: {Angry} No, of course not! Y’all just assumed that the killer and the kidnapper were the same! But that was wrong to begin with!

 

Hayato: It was wrong?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} And why the fuck would we believe you now that we’ve got you cornered!?

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} I know it don’t sound good for me but please… let the Yosh’ do some explainin’

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Do we really have to? Can’t we just get to voting already?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} No way! We’ve got to be 100% sure before we vote!

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} I thought we were 100% sure…

 

Fusume: {Meditating} We’re sure that Yoshi is the kidnapper but we don’t know for certain that he killed Rina… and this trial is about the murder first and foremost.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But we said that they were the same person!

 

Yoshi: {Angry} They ain’t! I didn’t kill nobody!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Just… explain yourself already.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Yes… let’s hear what he’s got to say.

 

Yoshi: {Sad} Thank y’all… Let me tell you what happened.

 

This will be interesting…

 

{Black and white image of Yoshi in the music room}

 

Yoshi: This might sound crazy to y’all but… It wasn’t me who kidnapped music box in the first place…

 

Yoshi: I was in the music room early this mornin’… it was before I even heard that she was missin’.

 

{Yoshi opens the piano and is shocked to see Oriana’s body}

 

Yoshi: I found her… by coincidence I guess. I saw that she was still breathin’ and thought to myself that I had to tell the rest of y’all…

 

Yoshi: But then I realised… that it was a bad idea.

 

Hikari: It was a bad idea to tell us that you’d found Oriana’s unconscious body?

 

Yoshi: Yes… just hear me out.

 

{Yoshi carries Oriana’s body out of the piano}

 

Yoshi: Somebody… had made an attempt on musicbox’s life. That bit be clear as day… and I thought to myself, maybe that person oughta realise that she was still alive… and try to harm her again!

 

Yoshi: Her attacker’s plan oughta have failed… but they might have tried to finish her off… so I hid her.

 

Kenji: You hid her?

 

{Yoshi puts Oriana’s body in the cello case}

 

Yoshi: The rest y’all already heard from earlier. I went and burnt the cello at the garbage room and hid her inside the cello case… it was a good enough hidin’ space for the moment.

 

Yoshi: And when I was asked to help emptyin’ the music room… I took the opportunity to take the cello and hide her in the safest place I knew… somewhere nobody could get her.

 

Reijiro: The elevator, I presume.

 

Yoshi: Yes… I asked Monokuma to help and… that’s it.

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Is that really… the way it happened?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Yoshi-kun… isn’t the one who kidnapped Oriana-chan?

 

Yoshi: {Sad} The Yosh’ be sorry for keepin’ it hidden from y’all…

 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} If nobody else is gonna say it, I’ll speak up… there are way too many problems in this story of yours!

 

Yoshi: {Hand tightens on necklace} Problems?

 

Kenji: {Furious} You’re goddamn right! Too many problems for me to believe you.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I have to agree that there are numerous inconsistencies in your account.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} B-But… I was totally honest…

 

Tadao: {Amused} Were you now… because it all sounds like a load of bull to me!

 

Yoshi: {Sad} I don’t… understand.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Then let me make it clear for ya!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} First things first… why would you go such a distant to protect Oriana, why did it matter so much to you?

 

Wait… that’s actually pretty evident…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Oriana was Yoshi’s partner… if she died he got punished… wouldn’t you protect your partner in such a situation?

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} I just… didn’t want her to be hurt.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Yeah… sorry big guy but I kinda understand his motivations on that one.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Yes… the pairing motive makes Yoshi’s testimony pretty believable…

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Okay… fine but that’s not all! There are still more things that make no sense!

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Huh… like what?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I shall take it from here… firstly, why were you in the music room? And why did you think to look inside a grand piano ?

 

Yoshi: {Hand tightens on necklace} That’s… uh…

 

Reijiro: For you to have the time to go to the garbage room and use the incinerator without any of us noticing… it had to be very early in the morning. Why were you there so early?

 

Yoshi: {Clutches hair, nervous expression} I… I…

 

Reijiro: {Head down glasses shining} Moreover… I thought that we agreed that Monokuma would only open the elevator door for the blackened… so why did he help you if you are innocent?

 

Yoshi: {Sad} …

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Y-Yeah… that’s exactly what I was gonna say.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} If you want us to believe your… rather extravagant take on today’s events… you’re going to have to answer these questions.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} No he’s not.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} I beg your pardon?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} I won’t allow him to answer your questions.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You won’t!? Why not?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I thought that you were not going to interfere with the trial! Why are you getting in our way when we are so close to the truth?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Hey don’t do me like that! I saved your ass in the same manner during last trial! I have to do this for the good of the trial.

 

Hayato: For the good of the trial?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} You will figure things out in due time… but I won’t allow Yoshi to just spoil all my fun by answering these questions!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} So you are saying that by answering the questions… it would give away the killer’s identity.

 

Monokuma: Basically… yes. {Menacing} So move on to something else!

 

Hayato: How can we move on… we’re so close to the truth… there is no other line of questioning for us to pursue…

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} And… how am I supposed to prove my innocence if I can’t tell them all that? {Angry} I don’t wanna lie no more!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Tough shit, you’re not answering any of that!

 

Yoshi: {Hand tightens on necklace} Dammit…

 

He’s… just completely cut off our interrogation of Yoshi… So what do we do now?

 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Wellllll… I guess that means that Yoshi’s the killer doesn’t it?

 

Yoshi: {Scared} Waaaa?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Monokuma is obviously protecting you because he knows we’re onto you… but that just proves it doesn’t it!?

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} How does it prove anything?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Why else would Monokuma not let you testify!? He’s protecting your ass!

 

Fusume: {Confident} No, I don’t think that’s the case.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Wait what?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} It does not seem that Monokuma’s style is to defend the blackened during the class trial… he did not help Fukami in the slightest last time around.

 

Fusume: {Confident} He just wants us to reach the truth through reasoning instead of by just hearing it out of someone’s mouth.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} But… why?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} You’ll understand eventually upupupu…

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} But then how are we supposed to prove that he’s guilty if we can’t address the fishy parts of his shitty testimony?

 

Yoshi: {Sad} I ain’t… guilty, I told you the truth… I swear.

 

Jessie: Yoshi-kun…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hey… maybe we should reconsider you know…

 

He… actually looks honest… why does he look honest!?

 

Could it be that I was wrong? Is Yoshi really not the killer? But then… who is?

 

 

Dammit!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Are you idiots… really believing this shit?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Kenji…?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Let me guess… the bastard’s gonna start bawling his eyes out and you’re just gonna let him off the hook?

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} K-Kenji… what’s wrong-

 

Kenji: {Furious} I’ll tell you what’s fucking wrong! You lot are letting your emotions get the better of you!

 

Tadao: {Amused} Huh, that’s ironic…

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I can fucking see it in your eyes you know! Y’all are starting to believe his fucking sad clown act!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Just because that bear fuck stopped us from finishing the job and because Yoshi’s acting all soft now doesn’t mean he’s innocent!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Calm down… nobody has claimed that-

 

Kenji: Shut the fuck up! I’m not an idiot! I can see that most people are fucking wavering!

 

Yoshi: {Sad} …

 

 

Looking around the room, I can see Kenji’s point… the atmosphere has changed completely… from anger to pity.

 

Yoshi… looks so distraught it’s hard to imagine him as a bad guy anymore…

 

Yoshi: {Head down, tears falling on the floor} I… don’t know what to say… I told y’all the truth…

 

Was I wrong? My whole argument was based on the cello case but… now that he’s given an explanation for it… should I reconsider my theory?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} See, nobody’s even speaking anymore! What the hell is wrong with you all!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Kenji… please calm down… nobody’s ruled out Yoshi as the killer yet!

 

Yoshi: {Head down, tears falling on the floor} I… I…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} But you need to understand that it’s not easy for anyone to see one of our friends like this…

 

Jessie: {Sad} Yoshi-kun…

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I don’t wanna send someone else to the gallows man!

 

Fusume: {Confident} All these things considered… {Dark look} I have trouble believing Yoshi’s story myself.

 

Yoshi: {Puzzled} W-What?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I want to believe you… I do. But Monokuma’s interjection just doesn’t bode in your favor.

 

Yoshi: {Sad} B-but… you of all people should be knowin’ that I’m innocent!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What are you talking about?

 

Yoshi: {Clutches hair, nervous expression} Y’all know I was at the workout room when the murder happened! Y’know I couldn’t have killed her!

 

That’s actually a fair point… Fusume and I can actually back up Yoshi’s alibi for the time of the crime… it looks like Yoshi’s guilt is getting less and less plausible… what’s going on here?

 

Shinto: Fusume, is that so? Do you actually know of Yoshi’s movements at the time of the crime?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I… I do.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} So do I to be fair… We saw Yoshi go downstairs early on in the morning and then come back up the same stairs once we’d received Rina’s call.

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} And that be true! I was in the workout room all morning after havin’ hidden Oriana’s body! I was tryin’ to get my mind off things…

 

Yoshi: And these two know that for a fact!

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Is there no way out of the black building’s ground floor that doesn’t require going up the stairs?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Well, there is a window in the workout room.

 

Tadao: {Amused} Aha! So you could have gone out through their and then come back!

 

Yoshi: {Angry} That window gives straight to the grassy patch! It woulda been impossible to go out of it without walking on grass!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Walking on grass which I would like to remind you is absolutely forbidden between 1:00 and 3:00 PM!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} What if you’d left the building before 1:00? You could walk on the grass freely then!

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} And then how do you think I could have entered back through the window!? The murder happened at 2:00 didn’t it? It would have been impossible to come back through the window!

 

Kenji: {Furious} That’s… that’s uh… fuck!

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Not only that but the timing doesn’t fit… Yoshi came up the stairs only a couple minutes after Rina’s call… there would never have been enough time for him go from the music room back to the black building.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} It’s hard to admit it but… Yoshi’s alibi is actually pretty solid.

 

Reijiro: {Opens book} If everything that you have said is true… then it does seem impossible for him to have gone to the music room and back in such a short amount of time.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Dammit… fucking dammit. Is he really innocent!?

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} I’ve told you many times already! All I did was hide musicbox’s body… I ain’t the murderer!

 

 

All I had against Yoshi was Oriana’s kidnapping… and it looks like even that doesn’t stand anymore… but if he isn’t the killer then who the hell is ?

 

Kenji: {Disappointed} So… is Yoshi really not it?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I really thought it was him but you know… it’s looking less and less likely man.

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} I… I knew you were no murderer Yoshi-kun!

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold expression} Huh…

 

Wait… Yoshi’s behaviour is still weird. The way he went from pitiful back to this dark and confident stance… this isn’t the Yoshi I thought I knew.

 

Something is still up here. I just don’t know what it is…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So um… what do we do now?

 

Jessie: Kôzuke-kun?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I don’t wanna be pessimistic or whatever but like… after all this, we’ve just realised the main suspect couldn’t have done it!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} And now we’ve been talking for ages and we still don’t have a clue of who the killer is… or the kidnapper for that matter!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} He’s… right. We’re still far from figuring out the truth of this case… and I’ll be honest, I’m running out of ideas.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} There must be something… that I have overlooked somewhere…

 

Them two… after all this are they really going to give up?

 

Tadao: {Amused} Would you look at that? Even the smart cookies don’t know where to go now!

 

Kenji: {Furious} If we fail you’re dying with us you idiotic fuckstick!

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Tarzan speaking in rhyme! I didn’t know there was such a thing as retarded poets.

 

Kenji: Shut the fuck up you midget!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Everybody, enough!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Jessie?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} The fuck do you have to say?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Kenji-kun and Tadao-kun, stop being so childish and try to realise when it’s not time to play games.

 

Jessie: {Sad} And the rest of you… Fusume-chan… Reijiro-kun and Hayato-kun, you guys have done so well the entire trial!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Now’s definitely not the time to be giving up like that! Fortis mane!

 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Thank you Jessie. You’re right, we cannot give up when we’re so close to the truth.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Of course, I was no way near abandon-

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Be quiet you.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Alright, fine. Thank you for these… words of wisdom.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} What about you big guy, you ready to stop arguing like a little kid?

 

Kenji: {Looks away} Fine… I’ll be the bigger person… which isn’t too hard when you’re up against a midget.

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Haha, good one, why don’t you go choke on something?

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Alright, maybe we should just… disregard the two of them.

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} Well, I’m all for being hopeful and stuff man… but where do we go now. We have reached so many dead ends and we have so many unanswered questions left.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I agree that this trial has not been as smooth sailing as the previous one, however it does not mean that it’s all unsuccessful.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Still, I feel utterly clueless right now, there are too many things I just don’t understand…

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Isn’t clueless just your natural state boy?

 

Tadao: {Laughing out loud} Hey hey, I’ve got disses for days y’all!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} … Moving on.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} What can we move on to? That’s the question I’m asking myself.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} That’s what was worrying me man… I’ve thought about it, and I can’t think of any evidence left man…

 

Kôzuke: I know we said we couldn’t give up until we’d gone through all the evidence but I feel like we’ve talked about literally everything.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Actually… no, not everything.

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} What are you talkin’ about?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I was guarding the body yeah? So I didn’t have time to do much investigating… but there’s one piece of evidence that we haven’t mentioned so far… and it’s making me think.

 

Tadao: {Amused} You? Thinking? No way!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Kenji, are you claiming that this evidence of yours could help us move from this stalemate?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I mean, I can’t tell for sure… but I know that it’s not sitting right with me.

 

A piece of evidence that we haven’t mentioned yet… and that Kenji is aware of despite his limited investigation… I think I know what he’s talking about.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Do you want to perhaps tell us more about this mysterious evidence of yours?

 

Hayato: {Determined} No need, I’ve got it! Kenji, I believe that you’re talking about… this!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: “Bloody” stain on the window sill

===

 

Hayato: {Thinking} The piece of evidence in question is the red stain that you found outside the music room’s window right?

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful expression} Wow, you actually got it!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah, this… stain is what I’m talking about. Let me set the scene for the rest of y’all.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I thought I’d seen blood on the window sill outside but turns out I was wrong.

 

Hayato: You saw blood?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Well I was looking outside and I saw a red stain that  looked a lot like blood but it really doesn’t smell anything like it…

 

Hayato: What did it smell like then?

 

Kenji: I really can’t tell for sure bro… I guess it smelled kinda chemically? I’m not sure.

 

Hayato: A red stain that smelled like chemicals huh? Thanks for telling me this Kenji.

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Don’t worry about it! I thought it was just me being fucking dumb again but if you think that it’s useful, I’m happy!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} This stain really felt out of place you know… it looked just like blood but the smell… I don’t know how to describe it.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It definitely had a strong chemical scent… very unnatural for blood.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} It had… a chemical scent?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Yeah, kinda like you know… gasoline maybe?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Red gasoline on a window sill? Somehow that doesn’t seem likely…

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Well, if it wasn’t blood and it wasn’t gasoline… then what?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} This stain didn’t get here by accident, that’s for sure… and because it’s at the crime scene… I bet it’s related to the case in some way!

 

Kenji’s right… the odds that this stain has something to do with our case are quite high… we should be thankful to him for bringing it up. The question is… what is it?

 

Thinking about it, there’s only one possibility.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Hm… stop me if I’m wrong but I believe that the stain in question is:

 

{Blood/Nail Polish/Paint}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: Paint

 

===

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} A red liquid that smells like petrol… that sounds like paint to me.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Paint? Why would there be paint on a window sill?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} You had me worried bro… I thought it was blood! But if it’s just paint then I guess it isn’t related to the murder.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hold on, let’s not dismiss it just yet.

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Well then, how the fuck does it have anything to do with the case?

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Why would the blackened ever put paint outside the music room window…?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Or Rina-chan… I don’t see why either would ever be in contact with paint.

 

Yoko: Not only that but… {Awkwardly} Where did they even get paint from?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} All that does seem very illogical!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} In situation like these where the logic does not add up… we must flip our thinking around.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Instead of… why did the killer put paint on the window, we should ask ourselves…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What did the killer do to put said paint there?!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Well then, what is it? Stop asking rhetorical fucking questions!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Oh my fuck! I know where the paint comes from! {Hands on hips} At least… I think I do.

 

Kôzuke: Kenji… you do?

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful expression} Do you guys remember this happening yesterday?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Back turned} Hm… let me check my notes…

 

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Oh and I’m going to be putting a fresh coat of nice red paint on some of the furnitures and such…

 

Rina: {Yawns} Furnitures?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} You know… benches, walls, swings… etc…

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Monokuma do tell, you did say your paint was red didn’t you?

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Crimson red to be precise… {Blank expression} What can I say, blood’s got a nice colour!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Gross.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} And was there any way for any of us to get access to that paint?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} No of course not! If you lot could just fake blood puddles freely it would be way too easy! My stock of red paint is heavily guarded in my top secret hideout!

 

Tadao: {Amused} Literally everything about that last sentence was tragic!

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Tragic or not… this could actually be really important…

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} These paint shenanigans are important…? How so?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Think of it this way… none of us had access to the paint, yet is still ended up right outside the crime scene… but how did that happen?

 

Shinto: {Serious} If none of us had access to it then it means that Monokuma put it there!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} And why the hell would I do that, golden boy? You think that’s all I’ve got to do with my day? Putting random splashes of paint on windows?

 

Hayato: I didn’t think so… but then, if Monokuma didn’t do it… and we had no way to access it, how did the paint get there?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I see… are you saying that the stain was made accidentally?

 

Hayato: The paint stain… it was made:

 

{By accident/On purpose}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: By accident

 

===

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Not only does it not coincide with the evidence… but I also fail to see why someone would purposefully make a paint stain.

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} I mean, maybe the killer realized that it looked like blood and made the stain to create a red herring

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Have you not been following? We just said that none of us could have had access to the paint in the first place!

 

Yoko: {Angry} Well then how the hell did the paint get there! It didn’t just appear by magic did it?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} No, it didn’t… after reflection, there’s only one way that stain was made…

 

Hayato: {Determined} The window sill had to be in contact with one of the objects Monokuma painted!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I guess that would be the only way huh…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Monokuma, how long does your paint take to dry?

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Actually, it’s homemade paint, I’ll have you know!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Uh… that’s cool and all but that’s not what we asked you…

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} You think it’s hard to make paint but it’s surprisingly easy! All it takes is some oil, water, the blood of a virgin… simple stuff like that.

 

Kôzuke: {Grabs podium like steering wheel} Wait what?

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Hey, Lightning Mcqueer, I’m sorry you were harmed in the making of this paint bro!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} W-What did you call me?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Can you fools stop messing around, I am still awaiting an answer to my question!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} I mean what do I know? I don’t actively sit there watching paint dry! But if you must know, I guess it would take about 8 to 9 hours or so…

 

Fusume: {Confident} 8 to 9 hours? If you applied the paint on this morning then it means that it likely hadn’t dried at the time of the murder.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Cool but like… how did the paint go from Monokuma’s furniture to the window?  

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Direct contact… that’s the only way ar ne?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} So there was contact between one of the things Monokuma painted this morning and the window sill… but what?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Actually, when considering the different surfaces Monokuma told us was going to paint… {Bead of sweat} only one of them could have physically been in contact with the window…

 

 

This makes no sense… if I’m right about what I’m about to say, I might be answering one of the biggest questions we’ve had so far…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato, are you thinking what I’m thinking?

 

Hayato: {Determined} I think I am…

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Then stop thinking and start speaking! Where the fuck are you going with this?

 

When considering the list of “furnitures” Monokuma gave us… only one of them could have reached the second floor window… It feels stupid to say but…

 

Hayato: The paint got on the window sill through:

 

{The walls/The swing/The benches}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: The swing

 

===

 

What… does this mean?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} We await your answer…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato… you do have the answer right?

 

Hayato: I… I do…

 

I’m just not sure where this is going…

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Then go ahead and speak.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} When Monokuma gave us the list of furniture he was painting he mentioned “walls, benches and the big swing”, is that right?

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Um… yup, I guess that resumes the different things I painted this morning… why is that so important to you though author-boy?

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Are you ditching the typewriter for the paintbrush? We don’t have an Ultimate Handyman just yet-

 

Hayato: {Determined} No, this is important because it gives us crucial information about the state of this case.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Wait, that list of furniture is important to the case!?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I’ll get to why in just a second but first let me explain my reasoning to you.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} We came to the conclusion that the only way for this paint stain to have been made on the window sill was by coming in contact with an surface that already had wet paint on it.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes, this does make sense as we did not have access to the paint and Monokuma claims he did not even come close to the music room window.

 

Hayato: Exactly, but the thing is that if we examine this furniture list, only one of these items could physically have been in contact with the window sill!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I… I get it! The walls and the benches can’t actually be moved can they?

 

Yoko: {Shocked} Which means that the object that came in contact with the window was…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} That big swing thing!?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Yes, that’s the only logical conclusion in my eyes…

 

Tadao: Yo, care bear? is that even possible

 

Monokuma: {Curious} I mean yes it is technically possible, my record breaking swingset’s rope almost reaches 100m in length so I guess if you unrolled it from the tree trunk…

 

{Diagram of the tree and the yellow building from eye’s view appears on screen}

 

Monokuma: And if you found a way to bring it all the way up there…

 

{The swing is shown to be unrolled and then pulled up to reach the Yellow building’s second floor}

 

Monokuma: Then yeah, it’s definitely long enough to reach the second floor window!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} B-But… why the hell would anyone even do that? Are you saying that the killer found a way to bring the swing all the way up to the window?

 

Hayato: It’s the only way for that stain to have been made… the swingset had been freshly painted after all.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} B-But… but… but why?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Please, I will come to that shortly, just be patient Kôzuke.

 

Kôzuke: Oh o-okay.

 

Now I just need to figure out why before he asks again… I think I’m on the right track but… I’m still not quite sure.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} So the exuberant swing set was brought all the way up to the second floor… despite how amusing that sounds there is a big problem with that proposition.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} A b-big problem?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Do you really think that this could have happened without any of us noticing?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} H-hey, that’s true! It would have been impossible to just position it there discretly… surely one of us would have seen the blackened prepare this setup!

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Isn’t that too big of a risk? Knowing that all we had to do was look up? We would see the rope hanging over our heads!

 

Wait…

 

Hayato: Actually… thinking about it, {Grinning} I know for a fact that we wouldn’t have noticed it!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What are you talking about!?

 

Yoko: {Angry} Obviously we would have noticed it! Do you really think we’re dumb enough to see a big ropeway linking the yellow building and the tree and find it inconspicuous?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Are you c-calling us dumb, Hayato man?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} No… it’s not that you wouldn’t have suspected it after seeing it… it’s more than you couldn’t have seen it in the first place!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Ggh, explain yourself!

 

Hayato: The reason that none of us would have been able to see this elaborate set up was…

 

{We are blind/The sun blocked our view/You could only see it from the grassy areas} 

===

 

 

 

Answer: The sun blocked our view

 

===

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} On our second day out of the black building, Monokuma explained something to Fusume and I… this should answer your questions

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Your favorite director is here to answer your questions about this… strong source of light, to say the least.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Is this another one of your tricks?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show light side} No actually, this is really not up to me either… it’s a technical thing you see.

 

Hayato: A technical thing?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Yup, to resume it, this glass dome is pretty useful to keep you bastards from escaping right?

 

Hayato: Get to the point.

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Well, it ain’t only got pros… there is one con with the dome…

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Which is?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Well, at around 2:00 PM ish for about half an hour every day, when the sun is perfectly above the center of the dome…

 

Monokuma: The glass refracts the light in a way that projects it really intensely towards the inside of the dome.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hm… I see.

 

Hayato: And uh… in short what does that mean?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} It means that at around this time every day you won’t see shit if you look up cuz of the sunlight…

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Reijiro: {Head down, glasses shining} Monokuma, is this true?

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Yup, Hayato’s speaking the truth… the memory on that boy is truly impressive!

 

Fusume: {Confident} If I understand correctly Hayato, you’re claiming that the murderer took advantage of this blinding light to set up this… I don’t quite know what to call it.

 

Hayato: Yes, I believe that this is the case, the blackened knew about the blind spot and used it to make sure no one would notice that the swingset was actually in the music room.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} This is further supported by the fact that this blind spot occurs at 2:00 PM, the time of the murder!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} That’s fucking great and all but how did the swingset just stay in place inside the music room? Are you saying it was just dropped on the floor all willy nilly?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Not quite… I think it was simply left hanging on the window frame. Think of it this way…

 

{3d diagram of the swing next to the window}

 

Hayato: The seat of the swing is actually larger than the window frame, so to bring it inside the room, you’d have to flip it vertically.

 

{It rotates and passes through the window}

 

Hayato: Then, if you want to just leave it there, you could flip it back horizontally and it wouldn’t fall back out, because of its proportions.

 

{Back to normal}

 

Jessie: {Shocked}  Mon dieu! And that’s how the paint stain was made on the window sill!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Precisely.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} One more question, before we move on to the “why” aspect… I have another query.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Yes Reijiro?

 

What now?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Well, my question is simple. How is this even possible?

 

Hayato: Wh-what?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} How do you propose the killer got the swing all the way up to the music room window? You cannot just climb up the outside wall to put it there so then… how?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} You want to know how the blackened got the swing all the way up there?

 

Tadao: {Amused} That’s literally what he just said, Oh but I forget, you are good with words aren't you?

 

Hayato: I’ll just act like I didn’t hear that and just… explain.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The only way I can think of is like this.

 

{Grey figure is seen at night, tying a cable to the swing seat} 

 

Hayato: The blackened chose a moment where we wouldn’t see them, likely during night time and tied a cable or a rope of some sort to the swing.

 

Hayato: Then, they threw the other end of the cable inside the music room window which had been previously opened.

 

{Grey figure is now inside the music room, tying the cable onto the window handle} 

 

Hayato: The blackened could then tie the cable to something inside the music room and just leave it as was.

 

Hayato: Finally, when the time came and the blind spot occurred, the killer could simply pull on their cable to pull the swing seat all the way up to that window… and none of us would have been able to spot them.

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} That’s the only way I can think of…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Very well, I believe that it makes sense.

 

Hayato: Good, now we can move to-

 

Jessie: {Pouting} រង់ចាំមួយភ្លែត!

 

Argh, the fuck is this now?

 

Jessie: Sorry to interrupt but if that preparation was done before hand… couldn’t we have simply seen the cable that you’re talking about before the light became too strong?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} I guess that would be the case… except if the blackened used a cable that we couldn’t see!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} An invisible cable? The fuck do you think this is? Harry Potter and the Fucking Braindeads?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Actually Tadao, you can shut up, because there is such a thing as an invisible… or at least close to invisible cable on the resort! And it’s this!

 

{Fishing line/Thick rope/Shoelace}

 

===

 

 

 

Answer: Fishing line

 

===

 

Hayato: I remember seeing nylon fishing lines in the gym’s storage room some days ago

 

{Flashback}

 

Kenji: Now excuse me but… I’ve got shit to do.

 

With that, he grabbed a long piece of rope as well as what looked like a fishing line, both of which were laying on the floor and put it in the bag he used to store the things he wanted to take. Probably seeing how perplexed I was he added,

 

Kenji: I… I might need these later alright. Don’t judge me… or do, what do I fucking care.

 

And then he left.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Huh, I do remember that

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Hey! Are you saying that Kenji’s the killer just because he took that fishing line!?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} N-no, I’m just using him as an example to show that there really were fishing lines in the storage room… I know that he’s innocent.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Damn fucking right I am!

 

Tadao: {Amused} Why the hell did you even need a fishing line to start with Tarzan!?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} N-None of your fucking business!

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} That’s uh… suspicious, big guy…

 

Fusume: {Meditating} So the killer used… a fishing line to tie the swing seat to the window frame?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I mean it’s pretty much impossible to prove it, especially since they could have easily disposed of it later… but it seems like a valid option to me as it would avoid the risk of the killer’s set up being seen!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} From such a distance… the thin fishing line would definitely have been invisible to us… I guess what Hayato is saying makes sense!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Is that all? Anybody else have something to argue against Hayato’s explanation?

 

Alright! Cue interruption!

 

 

No, nothing? Wow, lucky me…

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Well, if everybody’s okay with what I’ve said so far… {Determined} It’s time to address why the blackened did this.

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} You mean you’re finally gonna tell us why the fuck somebody would find it useful to hang the swing onto the window?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} That’s exactly what I said, who’s good with words now huh?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} H-Hey fuck you, you… you… smegma eating-

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Enough Tadao, let him speak.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Hey, actually… do you mind if I give this a try?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, what do you mean?

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} I know that Hayato is always the one explaining everything to us but… I think I know why this whole setup was put in place!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Shinto-kun!? You know that?

 

Yoko: {Kisses framed picture of Shinto} Oh my love, how incredible you are…

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} So Hayato, you don’t mind if I try to explain it do you?

 

Hayato: I mean… sure why not?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Please, only speak if you are sure of yourself, do not waste our time.

 

Shinto: Okay then, I’ll do my best!

 

I hope for Shinto’s sake that he knows what he’s talking about… if not, Reijiro will not appreciate his attempt…

 

Guess it’s my job to point out any inconsistencies in what he’s about to say…

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} I’m getting kinda nervous now… alright here goes nothing.

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Piece of burnt wood, Reijiro’s account, Motive Videos, Bloody Handprint, Threatening letter}

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} You see, Hayato said that this would be answering an important question in this case.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} So here’s what I think…

 

Shinto: {Serious} What if the swingset was used as a way out of the music room!?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} W-What are you talking about?

 

Fusume: {Confident} It’s true that we still don’t know how the killer escaped… that was the very first dead end we encountered.

 

Tadao: {Sombre} So the killer used the swing to get out of the crime scene? How the hell would they do that!?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Well, maybe they used the rope as a sort of walkway from the music room all the way to the tree!

 

Jessie: It would be a little dangerous… but it would work!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, that is not possible, if that were the case we would have this whole set up still in place inside the music room!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} If the killer did what Jessie claims, they couldn’t have then put the swing back in its place!

 

Yoko: {Hands cupping cheeks} Then what about this! They jumped on the swing from the music room and dropped down all the way to the floor!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} That way they could manoeuvre themselves around and drop down on a non-grassy area!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Nonsense! If they were to just drop down, the speed would make it impossible to manoeuvre… and also incredibly dangerous!

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} None of us could pull off such an impossible trick!

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} Aw… does that mean I was wrong? Sorry guys, I thought I had this one.

 

Shinto: Back to you Hayato.

 

 

The real reason for the swing to be positioned the way it was… the reason for this complex set up… I know what it was!

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Talent Videos → None of us could pull off such an impossible trick!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Sorry Reijiro, but I think you’ve got that one wrong!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… do continue.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The action of jumping from such a height on a swing, and then landing safely without ever setting foot on the grass… you’re right, it is impossible.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Then how am I wrong?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Because it would be impossible for normal people sure… but we’re not normal. We’re Ultimate Students!

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Yay, we’re special!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Nice ego boost, but how is that relevant?

 

Hayato: {Determined} Simple! Because there’s one person here who could have managed this… superhuman feat.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Somebody… could have done this?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Yes, it might have been impossible for us… but this person is trained to do exactly that and the Talent Videos that some of us received yesterday morning prove that!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Hayato! Please explain yourself, who are you talking about!?

 

Fusume: {Pleased} You’ve made it this far Hayato… it’s finally time…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Time to expose the blackened!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Very well, the only person who could have pulled off such a daring escape… and therefore the true killer in this case is:

 

{CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT}

 

Hayato: {Determined} …

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} …

 

Fusume: {Confident} …

 

Kôzuke : {Hides head in helmet} …

 

Jessie: {Pouting} …

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} …

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} …

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} …

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} …

 

Yoko: {Fans herself, nervously}

 

Kyia

 

Tadao: {Heinous} …

 

Fukami

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Rina

 

 

 

 

{Select Yoshi}

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Doesn’t this seem right up the alley of the Ultimate Circus Performer?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} The… Ultimate…

 

Yoshi: {Hand tightens on necklace} Me? I thought w-we’d said my alibi was bulletproof!?

 

Hayato: Things have changed Yoshi! They have changed drastically!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph... I see your point but please tell us how the motive videos prove anything.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Y-Yeah, explain it for those of us who didn’t see it!

 

Hayato: Very well, the video showed each and everyone of us in our field of expertise… it went like this

 

{Flashback}

 

Reijiro speaking in a conference room surrounding by photographs,

 

Hikari receiving some sort of award for her work,

 

Shinto and Yoko on a TV show about the most influential people in Japan,

 

A F1 race with Kôzuke miles in front of everyone else before he rushes through the finish line while everybody cheers,

 

Jessie standing between two politicians, a microphone in her hand, calming the two men while speaking in two different languages,

 

Yoshi attempting a trick in which he jumped from a trapeze around a pole before landing in a flaming hoop,

 

Oriana leading a ballet in front of a seemingly sold out crowd with a full orchestra accompanying them,

 

Me, in the middle of a book signing in the biggest library in Tokyo,

 

Rina’s acceptance speech for the Oscar of Best Female Lead Actress,

 

Kenji in the jungle, using a machete to cut through the trees, and escape from a jaguar pursuing him,

 

Fusume standing proudly as a policeman shakes her hand, three men with defeated expressions in handcuffs at her feet,

 

And finally, Raiko, grinning maliciously as multiple shady looking men offer her briefcases filled with money.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: I believe that this trick shown by the motive video is, quite conveniently so, {Determined} The exact same trick he used to escape the crime scene!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} N-No way!

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold expression} What in the world are you talking about?

 

Hayato: Let me set the scene for you

 

{Yoshi is shown performing the trick from the video}

 

Hayato: In this clip, Yoshi is seen jumping from a high platform onto a trapeze and then rotating around a pole before landing through a flaming hoop.

 

{Diagram of the yellow building and tree is superposed onto the scene}

 

Hayato: Let’s simply imagine the same trick in our location.

 

Hayato: The elevated platform, that’s simply the music room window, the trapeze is the swing, the big pole is the tree and finally, the flaming hoop…

 

Hayato: That’s the workout room’s window!

 

{A reenactment of the scene is shown, Yoshi jumps on the swing which rotates around the tree trunk before he dismounts it in mid air and lands perfectly in the workout room} 

 

Hayato: All you had to do was perform that exact same trick and you were out of the music room without anybody noticing!

 

{Back to normal}

 

Yoshi: {Hand tightens on necklace} Ngh… that’s…

 

Hayato: {Determined} Your alibi was based on the timings and the fact that you couldn’t access the window… but taking this into account, it all makes sense.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You could have left the workout room before 1:00 and then used this method to get back there without ever touching the floor!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Seeing how easy this trick was to you from the video and how much you must have rehearsed it… I assumed this would not have taken more than a few minutes. It was risky but… you knew you would not fail didn’t you?

 

Fusume: And when you were done you ran back up the stairs to “discover the body” with us!

 

Yoshi: {Clutches hair, nervous expression} Ah…

 

Hayato: You’ve filled the workout room with mattresses… your excuse was that you were practicing but really… it was all a part of your plan!

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Not only that but… after you would have dismounted, the swing would have continued it’s course around the tree trunk… leaving it wrapped around it and no evidence would be left behind!

 

Yoko: Almost no evidence! You couldn’t have predicted that Monokuma would decide to paint the swingset! Without that red stain we would never have figured this out!

 

Hayato: {Determined} I think it’s obvious but I’ll say it anyway! You’re the only one who could have pulled off this escape! Not only that but this is surely the only possible way the killer could have gotten out of the room!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Your talent as well as the fact that you were in the workout room prove this! This whole escape plan was simply a reproduction of your circus trick!

 

Hayato: {Determined} You denied it all this time but now… you cannot hide from the truth anymore. Yoshi Akeno! You’re the killer!

 

 

I held my breath… awaiting Yoshi’s reaction until finally…

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} That’s… actually, you… you…

 

Yoshi: {Juggling intensifies} N-No… No, you… you wait a second…

 

{Yoshi starts juggling faster and faster until the balls travel too quickly to be seen until he suddenly stops, as all three balls slowly drop into his right hand}

 

Yoshi: {Head down, with juggling balls in hand} …

 

Yoshi: {Suddenly tightens fists with mad expression, crushing and deflating all three balls}  Ngh!

 

Did he just… crush his juggling balls?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Yoshi!?

 

Jessie: {Scared} Oh no… Yoshi-kun is angry!

 

Yoshi: {Head down} Angry…? Me!?

 

Yoshi: {Throws the remains of the juggling balls on the floor} Oh no… no no no… no no no no no no no no. I’m not angry… I’m happy. I’m so very happy.

 

Wh-what?

 

Yoshi: {Looks up with a calm look on his face} Because now… things are finally gonna get interesting.

 

Notes:

That's it for this one, next time around we'll have the final confrontation as well as the trial aftermath as we wrap up Chapter 2.

Did this reveal surprise you? Let me know in the comments, I'm quite happy to see that this case was not as obvious as the first one judging by the feedback I've been getting.

As Chapter 3 will soon be upon us, free time polls are back! https://www.strawpoll.me/18221488 please vote here or in the comments for who you want Hayato to spend time with

I hope to be able to have the final part of Chapter 2 ready soon (2 weeks max), as usual thanks for reading and for sticking along with this fic, honestly didn't think I'd get this far, I'm excited for what's to come!

Thanks again and see you in the next one ;)

Chapter 28: Chapter 2 : A Gentle Melody for a Lost Soul : Class Trial part 5

Notes:

So... I'm a little bit late on schedule because this last chapter ended up being way way longer than expected.

Enjoy nonetheless as we wrap up this trial and the chapter as a whole

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Yoshi…?

 

Jessie: {Scared} Yoshi-kun… did you just say-

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold expression} You heard me. It took you this long to spice things up… but now you’re starting to make it interesting.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Spice things up?

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} You know, you finally decided to accuse me of the murder… and your argument is sound… I mean almost sound.

 

Tadao: {Amused} So you’re not even going to bother trying to put up an accent anymore are you?

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold expression} … Try me, I dare you.

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Ggh.

 

Jessie: {Sad} Yoshi-kun… he got so scary all of a sudden.

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} Me? Scary? Oh no, I’m the same old Yoshi haha! So damn quirky am I right?

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Bro… what the fuck is wrong with you?

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} Hm, valid question… 

 

Yoshi’s personality just completely changed… just like Fukami before him. She went from calm to crazy and he… well he kinda did the opposite. 

 

This must mean that I’m on the right track… Yoshi’s the killer, I’m sure of it and this… cold personality, that’s gotta be what his true colours really are like.

 

Yoshi: {Fidgets with necklace} So, should we get back to business? 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} B-Business?

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} Yeah this whole murder shtick, you think I did it, I think you’re wrong… let’s talk about it.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Fine, Yoshi. You want to talk, let’s talk. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} The conversation so far has led us to believe that you’re the blackened! 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That means that you better defend yourself quickly or we’re gonna vote your ass into oblivion!

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression, finger pointing} Hm, I see… the thing is I’ve already told you the full story… all I did was hide my partner’s body in order to protect her… I don’t know anything about the murder. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} That’s fucking bullshit and you know it! 

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} Do I? I’m actually confident about what I’ve just told you.

 

Yoshi: I was in the workout room until I heard screams upstairs… that’s the whole truth.

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression, finger pointing} This whole swing theory is very entertaining but of course it’s nothing more than your imagination!

 

Hayato: {Determined} My imagination? It comes from the evidence! If my theory is wrong then how do you explain the paint stains!?

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} Well, I don’t have to explain it, I know nothing about it and that’s because I never even approached the music room until the murder!

 

That’s… that’s a lie. It’s obviously a lie! I just have to prove it.

 

Yoshi: The only thing you have on me is that I moved the cello case and that’s been explained already! 

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} We’ve moved past the whole cello business Yoshi… that’s not the most damning piece of evidence anymore

 

Talking about that cello case… I should probably keep a mental note of everything we’ve said about it so far.

 

{CELLO CASE added to truth bullets} 

 

… 

 

Now that we know what Yoshi’s really about, it’s probable that he lied to us in his account about the cello case. I should make sure that I don’t let any of these lies come in the way of the truth!

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression, finger pointing} That’s the only concrete piece of evidence you’ve got… you can’t indict me without anything else

 

Fusume: {Confident} Then what about the whole escape route issue?

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} What about it?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Well, we have been struggling to find a possible escape route for the killer the entire trial, it appears that this trick using the swing was the only possible way out of the music room!

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} And you’re the only one who could have used the swing that way!

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} Again, this has not been proven. 

 

Yoshi: I admit it does seem to be the only possible escape route but how do we know that there couldn’t have been another one?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We’ve been thinking about it throughout the trial! If there was another one we would have found it!

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} Well, there was no route at all until a few minutes ago, I’m sure if you think long and hard you’ll manage to find another one that doesn’t indict me!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} And why would we do that? We have found a perfectly legitimate option… the fact that it does indict you is not our problem.

 

Kenji: {Furious} So you better stop talking out your ass and start telling us the truth! 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Please… don’t make this harder than it has to be.

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression, finger pointing} Hm, I see… so you want me to prove that I couldn’t have done it?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yeah, that would be helpful.

 

Of course, you won’t be able to do that… because you’re guilty. 

 

Yoshi: {Fidgets with necklace} Normally, it should be the only way around… innocent until proven guilty you know… but you all won’t budge won’t you…?

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} I guess I’ll have to tear your arguments to shreds.  

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Tear my arguments-

 

Yoshi: {Closeup} STOP YOUR CLOWNING!

 

{Split-screen between Yoshi and Hayato} 

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} You’ve had your fun… but I won’t let you slander my name any longer… I’ll just have to prove to you all that I simply couldn’t have done it!

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} And then you’ll see just how wrong you’ve been!

 

We’ll see about that… Yoshi is the killer, That’s not even a discussion… which means that I won’t let him get away with it!

 

===

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

{Truth Blades: Cello Case, Bloody Handprint, Threatening letter} 

 

Yoshi: 

 

You really don’t get it do you?

 

There’s no way I’m the killer!

 

First of all, that swing theory is far fetched… 

 

It would be way too risky for me to do what you claim

 

The risk of being caught is really high…

 

Not only that but… I could have fallen off the swing and died!

 

Is that really worth it?

 

All that just to create a locked room mystery!?

 

Hayato: This is a circus trick that you’ve likely practiced a thousand times… saying that it’s “too risky” definitely won’t cut it!

 

     ADVANCE

 

Yoshi: 

 

Okay then, what about the state of the crime scene… 

 

there are many things that conflict with your theory!

 

The window was closed when we entered! 

 

How do you presume I closed it after jumping?

 

Also, there were tons of blood around the body!

 

Surely the blood would have splashed out on the killer!

 

And I’m certain you would have noticed if I was bloody!

 

Your theory leaves no time or space for me to change out of the bloody clothes!

 

Or do you still think that I changed in those minutes?

 

Either way, you’re out of your mind… 

 

I didn’t kill anybody!

 

He makes a valid point… but I’ve got exactly the right piece of evidence to shut him up… he won’t argue his way out of this one!

 

===

 

 

 


SOLUTION : Cello Case → Or do you still think that I changed in those minutes?

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Thanks for bringing this up Yoshi… I actually think there was a way for you to have gotten rid of your bloody clothes.

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold expression} You’re joking right?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Of course not! What I’m saying is that you had the perfect place to hide the bloody clothes!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Do you mean… inside the cello case?

 

Hayato: {Determined} Precisely! You could have brought spare clothes and changed inside the music room! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, it does seem to be a good hiding space… nobody would ever look inside the case.

 

Hayato: Your argument is therefore is invalid Yoshi! The bloody clothes were no problem to you! You could have simply had hidden them and then gotten them back when you hid Oriana’s body!

 

… 

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} Hm… I see… so you’re saying that I killed Rina, got my spare outfit out of the cello case, changed, hid the bloody clothes back in the cello case, jumped out of the window, landed in the workout room and then ran up the stairs… all that in a few minutes?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Um… yes?

 

Shinto: {Leans on cane} Huh… that does seem pretty impossible.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Isn’t like… quick changing a thing they do in the circus? Maybe he knew how to-

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression, finger pointing} No, these tricks require a special type of clothes with velcro and such… you can examine my outfit and there’s nothing of the sort there… that’s therefore not possible.

 

Tadao: {Laughs out loud} That’s right you idiot! You wouldn't know common sense if it slapped you in the dick!

 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} … 

 

Tadao: {Amused} Too far? Sorry. 

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} Anyway, tell me Hayato, how do you propose I did so many things in such a short timeframe?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} That’s uh… of course… it’s… it’s uh… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Could it really have been done?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I think that fully changing out of his clothes would have taken too long… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} But what if he could have just… bypassed the change of clothes! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Do you mean that he used… 

 

Yoshi: {Hand tightens on necklace} What are you talking about…? if I didn’t change you lot would have seen my bloody clothes and immediately cornered me as the killer!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Not necessarily!

 

Yoshi: {Clutches hair, nervous expression} That’s… what do you mean?

 

I… I think I know what she’s talking about. Jeez, thank you Hikari for throwing me that lifeline!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Yoshi! You could have used this to avoid changing your clothes!

 

{Monokuma Life Jacket/Monokuma Poncho/Monokuma Disinfectant}

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: Monokuma Poncho

 

===

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} To answer this question… we must go back to a couple days ago, right after Monokuma announced the weapons motive.

 

Monokuma: {Starry eyed} Ah… the nostalgia of unveiling such a brilliant motive…

 

Kenji: {Furious} … 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} … 

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} What’s wrong-

 

Tadao: Shut the fuck up will you.

 

Monokuma: {Sad} … 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Anyway… after that motive announcement, Monokuma told us about this:

 

{Flashback}

 

Monokuma: Oh and in the eventuality that you’re worried about getting blood on you while committing your murders… if I may make a little product placement…

 

{Camera shows Monokuma holding a pile of transparent plastic capes with his face on them}

 

Monokuma: Introducing the Monokuma Ponchos© easy to hide and perfect to keep your clothes intact from a nasty little blood splatter.

 

Monokuma: Buy your Monokuma Poncho© today for the small price of… actually screw it, it’s free! don’t want to hinder y’all in your quest for freedom.

 

Monokuma: If you want one, they’ll be piled up in the arts and craft room!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} You’re saying… somebody actually used one of my beautiful products!?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I think it’s a possibility… if Yoshi didn’t have enough time to get changed he simply could have worn one of the ponchos to avoid getting blood on his clothes.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} And then all that he would have to do would be to stash the poncho away in the cello case!

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Thus keeping his clothes blood free in minimal time! Nice work Hayato!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} How… geniaalne… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} So Yoshi… does that answer your question?

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression, finger pointing} Of course you don’t have a shred of evidence towards me wearing the poncho do you?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well no, but I don’t really need evidence if you think about it.

 

Yoshi: {Hand tightens on necklace} What the hell are you talking about?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You said that it wasn’t possible timing wise… I say that it is. You’re the one who has to explain himself remember?

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold expression} That’s obviously not enough… you still have no proof!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} And you still have no defense!

 

Yoshi: {Hand tightens on necklace} Ggh… wait just a second.

 

We’ve got him on the ropes… just a little push and-

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} HOLD IT!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Um… Kôzuke-kun?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} S-Sorry, it’s just that I thought of something… I think that something that Yoshi told us doesn’t make sense with what we’ve already established… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… go on.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Well y’know man… in his whole defense speech he told us that all he did was hide Oriana’s body early in the morning yeah?

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} Yeah I said that… and so what?

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} Well, I’m pretty sure we’d said before that the body that Rina saw was Oriana’s… so how is that possible if she was already in the cello case?

 

… 

 

That’s… actually a really good question. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Huh, I hadn’t thought of that… thank you for bringing this to the table Kôzuke.

 

Yoshi: {Fans herself} So Yoshi… care to explain?

 

Yoshi: {Fidgets with necklace} I don’t know what you want me to explain… I stand by what I said, Oriana’s body was in the cello case long before Rina entered the room… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} But then things don’t make sense no more! 

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} Well that’s not really my problem is it?

 

Rina can’t have seen Oriana’s body if Yoshi had hidden it early in the morning… but at the same time I don’t see why Yoshi would lie about something like that which isn’t directly related to the murder… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} This is quite the conundrum… assuming that Yoshi is telling the truth, how could Rina have seen the body?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I can think of one way for both propositions to be correct… it just means that we misjudged the situation earlier on… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} What… does that mean?

 

We misjudged the situation…? Could it be that we misjudged… this?

 

{The identity of the body/The speaker during the phone call/Yoshi’s testimony} 

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: The identity of the body

 

===

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Could it be that the body in question… wasn’t Oriana’s?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} It wasn’t Oriana-chan?

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} How the fuck does that make any sense huh? We’re running out of unconscious people y’know! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Both Tadao and Reijiro were unconscious at the time but… we’ve ruled them out because of their location… are you saying that there’s somebody else who could have played the role of the body?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} That’s exactly what I’m saying!

 

I just need to figure out who… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Then c’mon hit us! Whose body did she see?

 

The body that Rina mentioned in that phone call… taking everything we know about everybody’s location and… physical states. There’s only one person it could have been.

 

Hayato: The body that Rina saw… it was that person’s!

 

{Tadao/Reijiro/Yoshi}

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: Yoshi

 

===

 

Hayato: Judging by what we know… what if the body wasn’t actually a dead or unconscious body but rather… {Grinning} Someone pretending to be dead!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Whaaat?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} My conclusion exactly.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} That means that the body was… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} It was the killer’s who simply pretended to be dead in order to catch Rina by surprise! Yoshi! It was you!

 

Yoshi: {Clutches hair, nervous expression} Hngh… 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} The killer? But why the fuck would they need to pretend to be dead! If it’s Yoshi couldn’t he have just overpowered her?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Maybe he could have… but I understand the appeal of making this case even more confusing than it already is… 

 

Shinto: More… confusing?

 

Fusume: {Plays with kunai} Well yes, a locked room mystery with a disappearing body and a killer that can create a perfect alibi for himself by escaping the room in such a complex manner… if everything had gone according to plan it would have been close to impossible to find the culprit’s identity!

 

Hayato: {Determined} And so the body that Rina saw was Yoshi’s! We can figure that out simply by order of elimination! You’re the only possibility left!

 

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold expression} You’re not going to stop accusing me are you?

 

Hayato: {Determined} I won’t stop seeking for the truth! That much is for sure! 

 

Yoshi: {Fidgets with necklace} I see… well, I must point out that there is a big problem with your theory… I couldn’t have been this “fake body” you’re talking about.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} You couldn’t? kenapa tidak?

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} Please remember exactly what Rina said during that phone call… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Rina: {Over speaker} Help… HELP ME!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Rina? Is that you? How did you get access to Reijiro’s walkie talkie?

 

Rina: {Over speaker} Fusume oh thank god, you have to help me. There’s… there’s…

 

Fusume: What’s happening Rina! Tell us!

 

Rina: {Over speaker} There’s a body in the room with me!

 

Wait…

 

Hayato: WHAAAAT?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} A body… no… that’s simply impossible.

 

I… I can’t believe what I'm hearing… this has got to be some kind of joke. There’s no way that somebody’s dead!

 

Hayato: Rina! Who’s body is it?

 

Rina: {Over speaker} I… I…

 

Fusume: Tell us! Quickly!

 

Rina: {Over speaker} There’s blood everywhere… I’m all alone… please help me.

 

Hayato: WHOSE BODY IS IT!?

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} The way I heard it, there was “blood everywhere” on the body… 

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold stare} I get that I could have used the Monokuma Poncho but it would not have been bloody until after the murder don’t you think?

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} So how in the world would there have been blood on me!?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} He asks a valid question… if he really was acting dead… then where would he have gotten blood from?

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} It’s not like there’s just like… a supply of blood lying around in the resort is there?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No… not that I am aware… either way, judging by Rina’s reaction there probably was a lot of blood… such a quantity isn’t something you can just find lying around in the resort… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The only person he could have gotten the blood from is… himself.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Are you saying that… Yoshi-kun injured himself just to pose as the body? 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I cannot think of an alternative… there was no other way to make himself bloody… 

 

Yoshi: {Poses} Examine my body then, I have nothing to hide, not a single wound or scar… so tell me… 

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} How could that be possible? 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Damn it man… I guess that means the blood couldn’t have been Yoshi’s either could it?

 

Tadao: {Amused} Well done dickshit, did you figure that one out by yourself?

 

Yoko: So… where did he get the blood from then?

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, Cold expression} Don’t you get it? I didn’t need to “get blood” simply because this whole fake body theory is ridiculous! The body wasn’t mine!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Then whose the fuck was it!?

 

Yoshi: How am I supposed to know? May I remind you that I wasn’t actually there!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Yes you were! Because you killed Rina! 

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, Cold expression} But you can’t prove that can you?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I… I… 

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} You can’t prove that I’m the killer, and you also can’t prove that I was posing as the body… in fact the latter is simply impossible. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I wonder… if the body wasn’t you then… who could it have been? After all… this blood issue applies to everyone. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Reijiro-kun? What are you talking about?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} If the victim said that there was “blood everywhere” that means that a large volume of blood was present.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} But no one here could have produced such a volume… after all no one but the victim bled out today correct?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes… I believe that’s the case 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Then the question becomes whoever this “body” was… where did they get blood from?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} And I’m gonna guess that your smart ass has the answer yeah?

 

Reijiro: Obviously…  the answer is that such a feat… {Glare} is impossible.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Whaat!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Reijiro… what are you saying?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I believe that the blood… simply was not blood. That is the only real possibility.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} It wasn’t blood? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Producing such an amount of blood without actually getting injured is impossible… therefore there was no blood… what the victim saw must have been some other substance.

 

Hayato: {Determined} And so the body was someone posing as a body!

 

Reijiro: I believe so yes… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I guess it holds… 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Yeah, thinking about it, it probably wasn't blood!

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression, finger pointing} All this is quite interesting but how does that prove that I was the one posing as the body huh?

 

Reijiro: {Points at Hayato} You know what to do don’t you?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} M-Me? Y-Yeah, of course… 

 

What the hell does Reijiro expect me to do…? I don’t have a clue where he’s going with this… 

 

Think Hayato, think. If Reijiro did all this it’s probably because there’s a way to link Yoshi and this fake blood… if I could find such a connection then it would prove without a doubt that Yoshi was playing dead for Rina…

 

Now, I just have to figure out what the link is… Come on, I’ve got to find something! 

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

Question: What could Yoshi have used to replicate blood?

 

-----

 

N I A C T E A F P

 

===

 

… 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : F A C E  P A I N T 

 

===

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Hm… something that could be passed off as blood and that Yoshi has access to… could it have been face paint?

 

Yoshi: {Hand tightens on necklace} Face paint? Since when do I even own face paint?

Hayato: {Grinning} Aw c’mon, don’t you remember? You told us yourself during the last trial!

 

{Flashback} 

 

Yoko: {Blank Expression} Could it be that Fukami made herself bleed to scare him!

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} That or she found blood from somewhere else.

 

Rina {Exasperated} Where the hell would she find blood seriously. There is no place with blood just laying around!

 

Yoshi: {Flips hair} I have some face paint that be lookin’ a lot like blood, that oughta be a possibility.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Really? Well can you check if some is missing?

 

Yoshi: {Juggles with one hand, thoughtful expression} Humm, nope, it’s all here.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Then what the hell was the point of you speaking!?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Didn’t think I’d remember that did you? 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Is that true Yoshi? Do you really own face paint that looks like blood? 

 

Yoshi: {Hand tightens on necklace} Yeah… I do. It was in my room when I first got there… I guess it could be used as a prop… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Then why the fuck did you lie about it then!?

 

Yoshi: {Clutches hair, nervous expression} I… 

 

Hayato: He lied because this answers our blood problem… {Determined} You used it as a prop in the murder… the biggest trick of your entire career!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} So… the blood wasn’t actually blood… it was just paint?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} By putting large amounts of face paint on what looks like a body… it would be easy to confuse it for blood.

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold expression} Now hold on, yes I own face paint but… you can’t prove that it was the blood Rina saw! This is solely speculation… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Can we really not prove it?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Of course I can!

 

Yoshi: {Hand tightens on necklace} B-Bullshit… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Interesting… show us what you have got. 

 

If the blood Rina thought she saw really was face paint… it would definitely explain this piece of evidence. 

 

I should show it to everyone to prove my point. 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

 

SOLUTION: Bloody handprint

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The handprint on the wall next to Rina’s body proves it.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} The… handprint?

 

Yoshi: {Fidgets with necklace} You’re talking about the bloody trace left by the killer… how does that prove anything?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I thought that the bloody handprint belonged to Rina… 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} No. It was left by Yoshi… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} And you know that how?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Simple, that handprint… it’s not actually blood

 

Yoshi: {Clutches hair, nervous expression} Ngh… 

 

Shinto: It’s not… blood?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: Hey Fusume, what do you think of this?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Hm, let me see.

 

Fusume: {Confident} This looks like a bloody handprint to me. {Leaves}

 

She went back to examining the body.

 

Hayato: Wait a second-

 

Well, looks like she won’t be very helpful on this one… that girl’s attention span is way too short for me.

 

In either case, she’s right. This handprint looks like it’s blood… the fact that it’s right above Rina’s body kinda hints to that as well.

 

It definitely doesn’t have that chemical scent that Kenji was talking about so it’s probably not the same substance that he saw…

 

Thinking about it actually, it doesn’t really smell like anything. Maybe it’s because it’s dried blood I don’t know…

 

It’s still a suspicious looking stain… Logically, because Rina could not reach this high with the grandfather clock blocking her… I guess we can assume the killer left this handprint.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It always bothered me… that this bloody print didn’t actually smell of blood and so it got me thinking…

 

Hayato: {Determined} What if it wasn’t blood at all?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} The bloody handprint… isn’t bloody?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Blood has a very strong scent, I think most of us noticed that after seeing the bodies… 

 

Yoko: {Runs hand through hair} Huh, I get it… the lack of that powerful scent makes it unlikely that it’s actually blood… 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Back then I didn’t think much of it because I wouldn’t imagine that someone would you know… fake a bloodstain. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} But why the heck would the killer make a fake bloody handprint man?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It was most likely accidental… the blackened could have touched the wall without thinking… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Forgetting that his hands were covered in face paint… 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Do we really know that it’s face paint and not blood on that wall?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It would be pretty easy to prove it actually, we could use the luminol powder to know it for a fact! 

 

Yoko: {Shocked} Oh my god! Let’s do it then!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Let me stop you there, I’m definitely not going back out there to do your dirty business! 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Nonsense, we need to get that stain tested!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} I make the rules here! If I say that we’re not interrupting this trial, then we god damn won’t! 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Why are you doing this Monokuma!? We’re this close to the truth and you keep on stopping us!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} First you won’t let Yoshi answer our questions and now this… 

 

Monokuma: Tough shit! You bastards better accept it or heads will roll! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} You don’t wanna test me do ya?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Ugh… I guess we have no choice… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} There is no need.

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Huh?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I don’t need to hear any more. I’m convinced that Yoshi’s the killer… with or without luminol test.

 

Tadao: {Amused} Well, we’ve seen how precise your intuition has been so far! If you’re convinced then we might as well start voting.

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold expression} You’re convinced… but there has not been any decisive evidence against me… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} That don’t matter to me! You’re the killer and you’re the kidnapper! All that shit is certain!

 

Yoshi: {Fidgets with necklace} The kidnapper too? Didn’t I tell you that all I did was hiding Oriana’s body? You guys really don’t listen do you-

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} And we’re just supposed to fucking believe you?  You’re a lying piece of shit, obviously we’re not gonna take your word for all this! 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} That’s right fuck you! You didn’t budge when I was being accused did ya?

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold expression} I was among the ones who defended you, you idiot.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} None of this matters… until you prove otherwise, you are the main suspect in this case Yoshi

 

Kenji: {Furious} That’s right bitch, you’re not getting out of this!

 

Tadao: {Serious} Oh there’ll be justice alright… 

 

… 

 

Yoshi: {Head down} Hm… haha… hahahahahahahahah… I see how it is going to be… 

 

Jessie: {Scared} Uh… Yoshi-kun?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Oh no, looks like he’s going bonkers-

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted,cold expression} Quiet!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Ngh!

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold expression} I tried being nice… and calm… but you don’t listen do you?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} It’s not like that man-

 

Yoshi: {Angry} Don’t you interrupt me!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} S-Sorry…

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} I explained it all to you… over and over again… but you’re all against me aren’t you? Every single one of you!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Yoshi… 

 

Yoshi: {Sad} You all think I murdered one of our friends… and that I kidnapped my own partner… why are you so insistent on bringing me down!?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Actually… that’s only partially true. 

 

Jessie: {Scared} Raiko-chan?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I was wondering why you had been this quiet so far… you have something up your sleeve don’t you?

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Me? Something up my sleeve? That doesn’t sound like me at all! 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Stop fucking around and just get to the point… please.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} What is it Raiko…? Do you not think that Yoshi is the killer? 

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Oh no, I’m totally fine with that part… It’s the whole kidnapping thing I have a problem with.

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} What the heck is your problem then?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Well… you know… I just don’t think that Yoshi is the one who kidnapped Oriana.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Does it all really matter? This trial is about the murder after all-

 

Kenji: {Furious} Why the fuck don’t you think he did it Raiko?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Hm… it’s quite simple really… 

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} It’s because it was me who kidnapped her in the first place hehehe.

 

 

Wait… 

 

 

WHAAAAT!?

 

Kenji: {Nervous} The fuck did you just say?

 

Yoshi: {Tightens grip on necklace} Y-You… 

 

Jessie: {Scared} Raiko-chan… you can’t possibly mean?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Yeah, yeah I know you’re all so incredibly shocked… but it had to come out eventually and you lot were far too dumb to ever suspect me.

 

There was no evidence at all to point towards her… in fact we would never have even thought about accusing her if she hadn’t just said so… 

 

What the hell is her goal here?

 

Kenji: {Furious} You fucking bitch… 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} How… how dare you do something like this!?

 

Yoshi: {Clutches hair, nervous expression} Raiko… you… you… 

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} That’s it I’m gonna kick her ass!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Quiet! Let her speak.

 

Shinto: Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} We ought to hear her motivation for this crime… and for this sudden confession.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Crime? Come on you guys are making a huge deal outta nothing!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Nothing? We thought Oriana-chan was dead!

 

Hayato: And this whole kidnapping business made us take a huge detour in the trial. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Before you jump the gun some more… why don’t I tell you exactly what happened… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You better not lie.

 

Raiko: Yeah… whatever.

 

{Black and white still frame of Raiko and Oriana talking} 

 

Raiko: All I had to do was tell the poor girl to meet me after midnight in my room… she is so trusting and innocent she did not suspect a thing.

 

{Scene of Oriana crying in front of her door}

 

Raiko: However, there was a complication. Oriana left her Resident ID inside of her own room… which meant she couldn’t sleep there… that was a hitch in my plan.

 

Hikari: That’s… when I came in right?

 

{Hikari takes Oriana inside her room} 

 

Raiko: Yeah, I was about to tell Oriana to come sleep in mine… it would have made the kidnapping that much easier… 

 

Raiko: But Hikari had to swoop in and make her move before I could react. 

 

Raiko: I was now in a risky situation… I couldn’t just knock on Hikari’s door to get Oriana to meet me outside… 

 

Raiko: But in the end… it looks like I got lucky!

 

{Oriana sneakily gets out of Hikari’s room while she’s sleeping}

 

Raiko: Oriana remembered that I asked her to meet and she came by her own free will

 

{Screen turns black}

 

Raiko: Obviously things didn’t end up going that well for her when I accidentally fed her the contents of her own poison vial… 

 

{Close up on Raiko’s diabolical smile} 

 

Raiko: I couldn’t just leave her in my room… so I hid her… and that’s the end of it. 

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You… you… you monster.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} What’s your problem hun, the girl’s just fine isn’t she? 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} That’s not the freaking problem and you know it!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Huh… do I?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You assaulted one of our classmates… and let us believe she was dead… all that for what? Your personal enjoyment?

 

Raiko: Yeah… I guess that’s fair to say.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Wait actually!?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps podium like a steering wheel} You’re saying this was all because you find it fun?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} There’s that… and there’s also the fact that none of you were killing despite all of Monokuma’s motives… 

 

Hayato: What the hell are you talking about!?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Don’t you get it? The motives were getting harder and harder to cope with! God knows what Monokuma would have done if this murder hadn’t happened.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} So you created an incentive for us to kill… you’re no better than Monokuma are you?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} You seriously haven’t realised it yet…? The killing game will continue whether we want it or not!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} This second murder would have occurred eventually no matter what! All I did was accelerate the process to save us all from Monokuma’s motives!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Oh so we’re supposed to thank you now!?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Nah, you’re just supposed to stop making this a big deal and move on to the real focus of this trial… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The murder… 

 

Raiko: That’s right! I just thought this was a good time to tell you about what I did… that way Yoshi can’t weasel his way out of his crime… the real crime in this trial.

 

Yoshi: {Tightens grip on necklace} Ggh… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} And why didn’t you tell us before?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Where’s the fun in that?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Fun… 

 

Raiko: {Hearts with hands} Either way, it looks like my little additional motive pushed Yoshi to murder… 

 

Yoko: {Angry} You… you… you monster!

 

Jessie: {Sad} You… were gonna hurt Oriana-chan… 

 

I knew it was suspicious… how quiet Raiko had been all this time… she was simply timing her big reveal… she really is evil… 

 

There’s no point in trying to understand her motivations is there? This is just her idea of fun… 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Aw c’mon get over it… the girl is fine. The person you should be mad at is the blackened in this case.

 

Raiko: {Points finger} And that person is Yoshi!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You seem… oddly convinced… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, as much as I hate to agree with her… she has a point.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} W-What are you talking about?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Her actions are terrible yes… but we need to focus on the murder… we will deal with her later. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} It’s true… and after all we know she can’t have been the killer… that much has been proved earlier. 

 

Kenji: Tch, then I guess that makes sense… 

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} And I’ve just served you the murderer on a silver platter! Now all we’ve gotta do is vote.

 

Yoshi: {Clutches hair, nervous expression} H-Hey, wait just a minute! This isn’t over! 

 

Hayato: Yoshi?

 

Yoshi: {Fidgets with necklace} Now you know that I wasn’t lying about the kidnapping story! All I did was hide my partner’s body to protect her… just like I’ve been claiming this whole time! 

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} That means I haven’t been lying to you! You need to trust me! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I mean… he has been honest to us in that sense right?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Still, that doesn’t make all the evidence we have against him any less valuable!

 

Hayato: You’re the only one who could have escaped through the window… and you could have used the empty cello case to hide incriminating evidence!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Even if Raiko’s the kidnapper… Yoshi’s still the main suspect in this case!

 

 

Yoshi: … 

 

Shinto: {Play with cane} So… Yoshi’s the killer after all?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Ngh… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The evidence leads me to believe that yes… the kidnapping and the murder were two separate events… Raiko’s involvement doesn’t change Yoshi’s guilt!

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Um… Yoshi man, aren’t you gonna defend yourself or something?

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} Motive… 

 

Hayato: Wh-what did you say?

 

Yoshi: You can’t indict me without motive.

 

Yoshi: {Fidgets with necklace} Even though you somewhat have evidence against me… I have no reason to want Rina dead… so why would I have taken so many risks in committing this crime without motive?

 

That’s… that’s…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Y-Yes… of course you need a motive…

 

Reijiro: {Sly Grin} And I assume you will tell us what his motive was, correct?

 

Hayato: Yeah… Yeah t-totally!

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} You suddenly don’t look so confident… 

 

Dammit! I hadn’t thought of what Yoshi’s motive could have been… 

 

I need to figure out something quickly… without a valid motive it’s going to be hard to prove his guilt… 

 

Hikari: {Thoughtful with hand over mouth} Actually… I think I have a solid idea of a possible motive.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} No way! Me too!

 

Yoshi: {Clutches hair, nervous expression} What the hell are you talking about!?

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Maybe we should explain it for you!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} That’s right Yoshi! Your motive is quite clear!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, go ahead… tell us what you think this motive is.

 

Phew… these two came in at the right time to save me from embarrassing myself… let’s see what they have to say. 

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets :Threatening letter, Pairing motive, Reijiro’s account, Yoko’s account, Allocation of weapons}

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Here’s my thinking… 

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Yoshi realised that Oriana was missing… and decided to commit murder before she could be killed!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} That way the kidnapper could not have murdered Oriana… 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} And he wouldn’t get punished through the pairing motive! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I see… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Actually… I was thinking of a different motive!

 

Jessie:{Sceptical} There are two possible motives? 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} If that’s not the case then Shinto is probably right… just because.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I was about to say that perhaps… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} This murder was simply committed as means to escape this place!

 

Hikari: No matter Monokuma’s motives… escaping the resort remains a valid reason… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Not that murder is ever the way… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} All that is interesting… but there is a third possibility!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} A third motive?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} It’s fully possible that Rina wasn’t Yoshi’s intended target to begin with…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} That way, there is no need to search for a motive!

 

 

What was Yoshi’s motive…? I need to answer this question before moving on to putting this case to rest.

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Pairing motive →  Rina wasn’t Yoshi’s intended target to begin with…

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Raiko} YEAH YOU’RE RIGHT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: … {Bead of sweat} I don’t like saying this… but I think that I agree with Raiko!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Little old me? How flattering!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You siding with this bitch now?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I’m not siding with her… but I agree that it simply makes no logical sense for Yoshi to go after Rina… no matter the motive.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I cannot see why he would go for her. 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Mmph… and so you presume that the killer’s target was someone else?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Yes… I believe so. Especially because of the pairing motive.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} The pairing motive?

 

Hayato: Yes! Thanks to that motive… the blackened could kill someone to target someone else… this could be what happened here!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Attacking someone… to target someone else?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… who is this target you’re talking about…? Who was Yoshi trying to kill!?

 

… 

 

Yoshi’s real target… I don’t think it was Rina. He was trying to kill someone else… I need to take everything I’ve learnt so far into account and figure out who that was!

 

LOGIC DIVE BEGINS

 

Q1: Who was Rina’s partner

{Hayato/Yoshi/Reijiro}

 

 

 

Answer: Reijiro

 

Q2: Did Yoshi have any reason to want to harm either of them?

{Yes/Not that we know of}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Not that we know of

 

Q3: On the other hand, who did Yoshi have a reason to harm

{Raiko/Oriana/Hayato}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Raiko

 

Q4: Therefore, who was Yoshi trying to kill?

{Raiko/Tadao/Reijiro}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Tadao

 

===

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I… I… {Startled with hands up} I’ve got it!

 

Jessie: Hayato-kun?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You know who Yoshi’s was trying to kill?

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} … 

 

Hayato: {Determined} I do! The killer’s real target… was Tadao Yamateko!

 

Tadao: {Nervous} M-Me?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Yoshi tried killing… Tadao?

Tadao: {Heinous} Why the fuck would anyone want to kill me?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Well… you are the caped kidnapper… so y’know.

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Yeah, but my identity hadn’t been revealed before the murder you idiot!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Why was Tadao targeted…? That is a question that you need to answer Hayato.

 

Hayato: It’s a simple question… he was targeted because… {Grinning} He’s Raiko’s partner!

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Finally nailing the nail on the head… 

 

Yoshi: {Clutches hair, nervous expression} Ngh!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} Wh-What are you talking about?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Let me walk you through my reasoning. 

 

Hayato: One way or the other… Yoshi figured out that Raiko was the one who kidnapped Oriana and so he decided to take action.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It is somewhat like what Shinto said, if he committed his murder first, Oriana could not have been harmed.

 

Hayato: {Determined} However, he knew how cunning Raiko really was and the risks he would take by targeting her… {Grinning} So he went after her partner Tadao instead!

 

Yoko: {Shocked} N-No way!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} You motherfucker… you wanted to kill me just to get rid of Raiko?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} It is quite a brilliant idea at the end of the day… what a shame that it didn’t end up going to plan huh.

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold stare} Wait a moment… you’re saying that I would try to kill an innocent person just to get to Raiko… because I suspected her to be the kidnapper?

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} What kind of monster do you take me for?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Killing an innocent… to harm a guilty party… is it really worth it?

 

He’s going to try to weasel out claiming that Tadao was innocent… but I know that that’s not the case!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Good try Yoshi… but you won’t get out of it so easily!

 

Yoshi: {Fidgets with necklace} What?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} If Tadao really was as unblemished as you claim… yes, your argument would be valid… {Grinning} But he’s not.

 

Tadao: {Nervous} I… I’m not?

 

Hayato: {Determined} Of course not! Tadao is Caspian, the caped kidnapper! And you Yoshi… your behaviour over the past few days shows one thing.

 

Hayato: And that’s that you were fully aware of Tadao’s identity!

 

{Flashback}

 

Tadao: {Looks away} I’m okay… thanks though… {Points at armband} The eye thanks you.

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} … Ngh… y-you… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles}  Y-Yoshi? Is s-s-something wrong?

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} … {Poses} Yep, sorry! I be perfectly fine haha!

 

That was weird… 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} You guys don’t understand…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} What was that?

 

Yoshi: {Poses} Nothin’! It appears the Yosh’ be mistaken!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

{Flashback}

 

Hikari: {Sad} But Yoshi… why do you think that Caspian is the killer?

 

Yoshi: {Proud} It be simple ya see… the Yosh’ took a good look at that news paper article that Evil Genius be showin’ us!

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Evil genius? I think that’s me hehe!

 

Yoshi: {Angry} Da guy’s a murderer! If anybody here oughta be killin’, it be him!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} As you’ve told us before… you’ve read through the newspaper article… and I suspect that you’ve also read through the archive files!

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} … 

 

Hayato: When Tadao fell a few days ago and you helped him up… you noticed his heterochromia didn’t you?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} And of course, because you’re in reality a lot smarter than we thought… you connected the dots and realised that Tadao was Caspian!

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Not only that… you also tried pinning this murder on Caspian multiple times throughout the trial.

 

Yoshi: {Clutches hair, nervous expression} That’s… not… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} You obviously have some sort of grudge against Caspian! This is why you had no problem sacrificing Tadao to get to Raiko and therefore save your partner!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Is that… why? 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} In fact, Yoshi… you’re the one who attacked Tadao in the archive room! You knocked him out and stole his armband in order to lure him in the music room! 

 

Hayato: {Sad frown} And once he did… you would have killed him. 

 

Yoshi: N-No… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} But the victim entered the music room before him… right?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yes that’s it… she entered the crime scene while he was still prepping it… and if you think about the steps necessary to the preparation… you can understand Rina’s reaction. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Yoshi was… posing as the dead body.

 

Hayato: Correct, and that’s when Rina made the phone call.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Sorry but… how did she get access to the walkie talkie?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It was in my possession… I assume the true killer stole it from me and left it at the crime scene in order to lure the victim in making that phone call… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} And that way securing their alibi. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} B-But… why did Rina even go to the music room? Was it just a coincidence?

 

A coincidence? No… that’s not it. I know exactly why Rina was there.

 

Hayato: {Determined} Rina went to the music room because of this:

 

{Yoshi called her there/She was looking for her ring/She wanted to practice an instrument}

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: She was looking for her ring

 

===

 

{Flashback} 

 

Rina: {Annoyed} Why does he make us hurry like that and then make us wait… what a fucking douchebag.

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Somebody’s in a bad mood… is it that time of the month?

 

Rina: {Exasperated} Shut up you, don’t @ me yeah? I lost my favorite ring and I’m in a shit mood cuz of it. So don’t piss me off.

 

Fusume: Your favorite ring huh?

 

Rina: {Bites nail} Yeah, it was my grandma’s… I can’t find it since this morning… If anybody finds it, please bring it back to me.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Rina lost her grandma’s ring… and after arguing with the group this morning she decided she was going solo and so she went looking for it.

 

Hayato: {Sad frown} She walked into the music room right when Yoshi was preparing his murder plot… he couldn’t let her live after she saw him faking his death… and so he killed her. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} You were probably shocked and… troubled after killing the wrong person… so you tried your best to make it look like the Muratagi murder in order to make us suspect Tadao!

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s the truth behind this murder!

 

… 

 

Yoshi: {Head down} … 

 

Silence… does that mean that I’ve got it right?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hayato’s explanation… seems to make sense with the evidence. 

 

Jessie: {Scared} Does that mean… does that mean that it’s over?

 

Kôzuke: I think-

 

Yoshi: {Angry} No! This isn’t over.

 

Fuck.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} What now? Do you really have anything to rebut to these accusations?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Yeah… Hayato proved it all. What the fuck are you gonna say now?

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} Actually Reijiro,  you’re the one who’s going to help me prove myself innocent!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} M-Me?

 

How is Yoshi… still acting so confident after everything I’ve thrown his way? What’s his defense now?

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold expression} Let me explain it all for you… there’s still something missing from your explanation Hayato… I’ll show you why you’re wrong!

 

Bring it on then… I won’t back down now!

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Yoko’s account, Fusume’s account, Reijiro’s account, Monokuma’s account, Allocation of weapons}

 

Yoshi: {Fidgets with necklace} I can admit that your explanation of the events covers most ground… 

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold expression} But you still have no evidence to tie me to Reijiro’s aggression!

 

Reijiro: {Head down, glasses shining} That’s… 

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smile, stroking cheek} It’s a fact, Reijiro got assaulted at around the same time as the murder!

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} If we follow your silly theory… then there is no way for me to have assaulted him in the quad!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Hm… maybe the killer and aggressor are different people?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So there’s… a killer, a kidnapper and an aggressor? What the hell man!

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} If I really was in the music room preparing the murder in the morning… then how do you presume I could have struck Reijiro?

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smile, stroking cheek} It’s not like I could have hit him without actually being there, you know

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Well then, maybe you just hit attacked him before going to the music room

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Taking care of witnesses is a healthy strategy!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Or… the aggression happened after the murder … our timeline isn’t very precise to be fair.

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} None of these theories actually hold up… If you can’t answer this simple question… then your whole theory collapses!

 

 

Our theory collapses… I don’t agree with that. We do have solid evidence against Yoshi… and either way, I’m pretty sure I have a way of linking him to Reijiro’s aggression despite his claims!

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Reijiro account → I could have hit him without actually being there

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Hm… Yoshi, I know you said that without thinking but… that sentence just then… {Grinning} I think you’re going to regret saying that!

 

Yoshi: {Tightens hold on necklace} I’ll… regret it? What in god’s name are you talking about? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I think that it’s actually possible that you hit Reijiro!

 

Kôzuke: It is possible?

 

Reijiro: {Sly Grin} Huh… so it is the clown who assaulted me?

 

Yoshi: {Fidgets with necklace} That’s clearly nonsense! Me going after Reijiro doesn’t fit with your proposed timeline!

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} So… how was it done Hayato? Explain it to us please.

 

Hayato: Reijiro… I haven’t forgotten what you told me about your aggression.

 

{Flashback}

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It really is impossible for me to know… All I know is that until I was hit there was nobody around me.

 

Hayato: Wait what?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} You heard me, I was investigating the area outside the yellow building and I am sure that there was no one around… until my aggression of course.

 

Reijiro: Even right before I was hit… I did not hear nor see anyone coming…

 

Hayato: Hm… how strange.

 

Reijiro: It is indeed peculiar… I am myself trying to figure out how my aggressor did it but I sadly still do not know…

 

If Reijiro of all people did not hear whoever assaulted him coming to him… it means they had to be super discrete.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Reijiro claimed that there was nobody around him when he got hit… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Hey what the hell does that mean? There obviously had to be somebody around for him to have been assaulted… right?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} All that I know… is that I didn’t not feel anyone’s presence nor hear any footsteps… and my hearing is quite good. 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} That makes no sense… don’t tell me you believe the fucker!

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Actually I do believe him. I think there was a way for Reijiro to be correct… 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles through notes} So you’re saying that there were no footsteps around Reijiro at the time… and he still got hit by someone?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Is that even possible?

 

Yoshi: {Snark smirk, stroking cheek} So what are you saying huh? That I came in flying through the skies and struck him from above?

 

Hayato: Actually… {Grinning} I think that’s exactly what happened.

 

Jessie: {Scared} Wh-What?

 

Yoshi: {Tightens grip on necklace} You’re… you’re insane!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} From the skies… that’s where you were coming from when you escaped the music room!

 

{Image of Yoshi on the swing flying behind Reijiro who’s looking in the order direction} 

 

Hayato: Reijiro was on your way and so you hit him directly from the swing without touching the floor… 

 

Hayato: That was he wouldn’t interfere with your perfect escape plan!

 

{Back to normal}

 

Yoshi: … 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Um… Yoshi-kun?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} What the fuck is he being silent for!

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold stare} Don’t tell me it’s just me who realises how idiotic that is.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Um… what?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Actually… I think I can understand Yoshi’s point.

 

Hayato: Fusume… You too?

 

I’ve never felt so betrayed in my life.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} I’m just thinking… was it really worth the risk?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Was there really a point in attacking Reijiro… he was reading at the time was he not? And we know that he won’t get distracted at all while he reads.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I’ll admit to that. 

 

Fusume: If so, then what was the point? It was more of a risk than anything else in my eyes! He would simply create a liability… as well as risking falling of the swing!

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} My point exactly! I had no reason to attack Reijiro! I don’t see why you think I’d do that.

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} And even if you forget about that… just by looking at the maps, wouldn’t you agree that Yoshi was likely too high to get to Reijiro from the swing?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} That is also a valid point… 

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} Exactly! Not only would it make no sense for me to attack Reijiro but it’s also seemingly impossible due to the height of the swing!

 

Reijiro: {Points to Hayato You… you will have to explain these inconsistencies if you want us to believe you.

 

Explain… the inconsistencies? 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} What was Reijiro hit with?

 

Hayato: Raiko?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Try to answer that question… and the truth will become clear.

 

I need to figure out… what weapon was used against Reijiro?

 

… 

 

Raiko seems pretty confident so I should probably give it a think. Could this mysterious weapon be the missing link?

 

By taking the map analysis as well as both Yoshi’s and Reijiro’s situations and positions… there’s only one possible answer! 

 

{Yoshi’s hammer/Reijiro’s golf club/The swing itself}

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: The swing itself

 

===

 

That’s… that’s it!

 

Yoshi: {Fidgets with necklace} What is it now? Did you find another nonsensical reason for me to have attacked him?

Hayato: {Grinning} No… actually I didn’t. 

 

Yoshi: Ha… wait why do you look so happy with yourself?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I know why you’re so convinced that this is your lifeline Yoshi… it’s because… you don’t even realise that you’re Reijiro’s aggressor.

 

Yoshi: {Tightens grip on necklace} Wh-What the hell are you talking about?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Hm… you’ve piqued my curiosity.

 

Hayato: {Determined} Reijiro’s aggression… was a complete accident! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} What??

 

Fusume: {Dark look} An accidental aggression… that’s completely crazy!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Now, just stick with me, I’ll tell you how it all went down.

 

{Black and white image of Yoshi jumping out of the music room window} 

 

Hayato: As we’ve previously established, Yoshi escaped the music room by using the swing to reproduce a circus trick.

 

{Bird’s eye view of Yoshi rotating around the tree trunk}

 

Hayato: Because of the angle of the tree and the window, Yoshi spun around the trunk just like in his trick… after one complete turn he dismounted the swing and landed in the open workout room window. 

 

Hikari: That is what you said before yes… 

 

Yoshi: And when in this stupid timeline of yours are you saying I attacked Reijiro?

{Back to normal}

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} When Reijiro was hit…? That was surely :

 

{Before the dismount/After the dismount}

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: After the dismount

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} It was after you dismounted the swing!

 

Yoshi: {Tightens grip on necklace} Wh-What? But how is that possible?

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} I thought that he was supposed to have landed directly inside the workout room!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} And he did just that… but as Yoshi said before… {Determined} He attacked Reijiro without actually being there!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} You can’t possibly be saying… 

 

{Bird’s eye view diagram} 

 

Hayato: After Yoshi jumped off the swing, it simply continued it’s path… rotating around the tree trunk as the rope wrapped itself against it.

 

Hayato: The more rotations occured… the lower the swing seat… that’s how Reijiro was hit!

 

{Reijiro is seen reading when the swing seat arrives from behind him and strikes him, screen turns black}

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Wh-Wh… {Scared} WHAAAAT?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Fusume was right, Yoshi didn’t have any reason to attack Reijiro… and that’s why he didn’t do it consciously! Reijiro was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time… that’s why he got hit by the swing!

 

Hayato: {Determined} It was all the consequence of your escape trick!

 

Yoshi: {Fidgets with necklace} I… I… wait just a moment.

 

Hayato: {Determined} I’m not done! I have proof that this is what happened!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} You… have proof?

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} Nonsense! there is no way that you have proof that this far-fetched theory is correct!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Of course I’ve got proof… in fact, it’s in this very courtroom!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} In the courtroom?

 

Yoshi: {Step back} N-No way!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} If you can prove that this is the truth behind Reijiro’s aggression… then Yoshi won’t be able to get away from his crimes!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It’s now or never Hayato… you can’t back down anymore!

 

Hayato: I have no intention to! The proof that Reijiro was hit by the swing after Yoshi escaped… it’s:

 

{Yoshi has paint on him/Reijiro has paint on his head/The swing is bloody}

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: Reijiro has paint on his head.

 

===

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} You know… something bothered me about your aggression Reijiro… when we found your unconscious body… I am certain that there was blood next to your head wound… 

 

Fusume Hm, I can second that.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} However that’s not what Reijiro told me when talking about it afterwards… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: Hey Reijiro… are you feeling better?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I am fine. Somebody hit me from behind… I did not see it coming.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} But there is nothing to worry about. The injury is very superficial… the wound is not even open.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I cannot let this interfere with the investigation.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} And so it got me thinking… how can there be blood if the wound wasn’t open?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Simple, Reijiro got his incredible expert analysis wrong! 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} … 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} No… that’s not it. 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Then what?

 

Hayato: Simple… we simply mistakenly assumed that what we saw was blood, {Determined} When in reality it was the paint from the swing seat!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} It… was paint?

 

Yoshi: {Tightens grip on necklace} B-Bullshit!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} There’s only one way to know for sure…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I don’t think that Reijiro has taken a shower since the murder… 

 

Hayato: So why don’t you untie your hair and show us!

 

Hayato: {Determined} If my theory is right there will still be paint in your hair!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} That would prove it!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You want me to untie my hair…? Mmph, very well.

 

Yoshi: {Panicked} N-No, you don’t need to-

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Shut the fuck up. 

 

Reijiro: Here goes. 

 

Reijiro brought his hands up to his hair and… 

 

{Reijiro long hair slowly falls down below his shoulders}

 

Reijiro: Mmph… {Turns around to show the back of his head} See anything you like?

 

Yoshi: Ngh…!

 

There it is! A red stain! The same shade as the paint stain on the window sill!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} His hair is stained! Hayato… y-you got it right!


Tadao: {Pinches nose} I can smell that chemical stench from here… it’s paint alright.

 

Yes. I knew it! That should be the final nail in the coffin for Yoshi!

 

Reijiro: {Ties hair back into a bun} That’s enough. Admit your guilt! You are the only one who could have done all this!

 

Yoshi: {Tightens grip on necklace} N-No… No… No… no… no… NO! NO! NO!

 

Hayato: {Determined} It’s over Yoshi! You’ve got to admit-

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold stare} It’s over… when I say that it’s over!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} He’s not done?

 

Yoshi: {Angry eyes, arms wide open} Watch me… the great Yoshi Akeno! As I prove you wrong once and for all!

 

This is the final battle… Me against Yoshi… and I’m not going to lose! 

 

PANIC TALK ACTION 

 

BEGIN

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold expression} Your entire argument against me is based on conjecture alone!

 

Yoshi: {Angry eyes, arms wide open} You can’t prove that the paint came from the swing!

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} And even if you could… there is no proof that I rode the swing!

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression} I can understand that my talent makes me suspicious… however that still isn’t proof!

 

Yoshi: {Tightens grip on necklace} I discovered the body with you… you are my alibi!

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression} I am completely innocent, that is the truth! All I did was protecting my partner!

 

Yoshi: {Angry eyes, arms wide open} And the truth is that you can’t prove otherwise!

 

FINAL STRIKE 

 

Yoshi: Where’s your proof that I am the one who rode that swing out of the music room!

 

Paint

 

                                                            Yoshi’s                                                                                                                         Inside

 

Jacket

 

===

 

 

 

 

Solution : Paint inside Yoshi’s jacket

 

=== 

 

Hayato: {Closeup on face} IT’S OVER FOR YOU

 

 

Yoshi: {Angry eyes, arms wide open} Come on, where’s your proof! I’m waiting! 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yoshi… could you take off your jacket for us?

 

Yoshi: My… {Tightens grip on necklace} Wh-why…? That’s uh… n-no… 

 

Jessie: {Scared} Yoshi-kun?

 

Hayato: Yoshi’s jacket solves the last mystery in this case… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Everything that came in contact with that swing was covered in red paint… everything except Yoshi himself. 

 

Yoko: {Shocked} That’s… right! There’s no paint on him!

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s because he knew it would make him suspicious… and so I believe he didn’t sit directly on the swing!

 

Hayato: It would also express this… bizarre scene that Jessie and I were witness to

 

{Flashback}

 

Yoshi: {Shocked} Ah! Yes, soz… The Yosh’ be feelin’ unwell.

 

Hayato: Are you still shocked about seeing the body?

 

Yoshi: {Pale} I uh… the Yosh’ ain’t good with gore… that scene made me a little sick.

 

He is super pale… it looks like that definitely shook him. Poor Yoshi.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Yoshi-kun! If you’re feeling unwell then take off some layers! If you’re too warm you’ll feel even sicker!

 

Hayato: She’s right Yoshi, maybe you’ll feel better if you just take off your jacket for a little bit.

 

Yoshi: {Pale} I ain’t doin’ that…  I be okay… I oughta be needin’ one second… just one second.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Okay then suit yourself… I just don’t want you to be sick.

 

Yoshi: That be… very kind of you.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: Even back then you didn’t want to show us the insides of your jacket… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… you’re saying he sat on top of his jacket to avoid getting the paint onto his pants?

 

Hayato: {Determined} It’s the only way I can think of… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} So go ahead Yoshi, prove me wrong… and take off your jacket!

 

Yoshi: {Tightens hold on necklace} I… I… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} TAKE IT OFF YOU MOTHERFUCKER!

 

Yoshi: {Tightens hold on necklace} I… 

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} You can’t take it off can you?

 

Yoshi: I… {Rips necklace chain} GAHHHHHH!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Yoshi… 

 

… 

 

Just like Fukami before him… it looks like Yoshi has given up fighting us. 

 

Hayato: I think his refusal to show us is proof enough… 

 

Yoshi: {Head down} … 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato, please-

 

Hayato: You want me to resume the case for everyone yes?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} It helped last time to make sure we didn’t forget anything. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} This is the best way to finalise the trial… 

 

Kôzuke: Yeah man… I’d uh… find it helpful… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Very well… I’ll take it back from the beginning, here’s how it all went down.

 

Time to end this… I won’t let the truth get away from us! 

 

CLOSING STATEMENT BEGIN: 

 

Hayato: Here’s everything that happened in this case

 

Act 1

 

This case comports of three separate events, spurred by different protagonists. The aggression of Reijiro, the kidnapping of Oriana and of course, Rina’s murder. 

 

The kidnapper in this case wasn’t the blackened, it was Raiko who decided to once again, « spice up » the killing game and accelerate the murders. She lured Oriana at night and poisoned her to make her lose consciousness before hiding her in the music room’s piano until the next phase of her plan. 

 

Act 2

 

Prompted by the kidnapping of their partner and by Monokuma’s motive, our killer elaborated a complex plan. They would kill Tadao, and therefore get to three birds with the same stone, saving Oriana, blocking Raiko from further action and murdering Caspian, Tadao’s secret identity, whom Yoshi despised. 

 

The first coincidence of the case was that the scene of the crime was the music room, where Oriana, the killer’s partner, was hidden. 

 

As they set up the scene by hanging Monokuma’s record breaking swing on the window sill, they ended up discovering Oriana’s body. Determined to protect their partner in order to escape Monokuma’s punishment, the killer hid Oriana’s body in a cello case and went to the garbage room to burn the instrument. 

 

Act 3

 

After Oriana’s body was hidden, the crime scene was ready. The blackened therefore went to the archives where Tadao was positioned at the time and hit him with their allocated weapon, a hammer. 

 

They then stole his precious arm band and went back to the music room, hoping to lure him in and then kill him. 

 

The crime scene’s setup was particular… the killer was posing as a dead body, using face paint as fake blood and they left a walkie talkie on the floor so that the victim would make a phone call to Fusume and I, confusing us even more about the conditions of the crime.

 

However… everything didn’t end up going to plan for the killer as their intended victim, Tadao, stayed unconscious for much longer than anticipated. Because of this, Tadao didn’t end up going to the music room and instead… it was Rina who entered the room, face to face with the killer.

 

Rina saw the blackened who was still pretending to be dead and she panicked. Thinking she was witness to a murder, she picked up the walkie talkie, just like the killer had planned and she called us. After receiving that phone call we had no choice but to run to the music room. 

 

Act 4

 

Back at the crime scene, the culprit was in trouble, if Rina examined their body, she would notice that they weren’t actually dead… so they decided to change up their plan and take action. 

 

The killer attacked Rina, slit her throat with her own letter opener bypassing Monokuma’s rules and in the scuffle, dropping the room’s grandfather clock on her body. When the deed was done, they locked the door to create a locked room situation before jumping out of the music room window on the swing they had prepared, and recreated one of their circus tricks to land in the neighbouring black building, completing their alibi.

 

What they weren't aware of at the time was that after their dismount, the swing continue it’s trajectory around the tree and hit Reijiro in the back of the head, knocking him out. 

 

Act 5

 

In the music room, things got even more complicated when Tadao, finally awake, entered through the secret passage in the closet. Once, he was in and noticed the dead body, he realised he had been tricked and was about to go back to the archives.

 

However, this is when Fusume, me and the blackened, who’d joined us at this point, arrived in front of the crime scene. Curious to see what was happening outside, Tadao looked through the keyhole with his, usually hidden, brown eye. This led us to believe that Rina was still alive at this point as we thought she was the only one with brown eyes in the resort.

 

Tadao quickly escaped the room through the closet before we managed to break the door and discover the body. Because Tadao had already seen it, the body discovery announcement played to us even though only two “non-blackened” students were witness to the corpse.

 

Act 6

 

Even though the body had been discovered, the culprit's job wasn’t over, Oriana’s body was still in the cello case. 

 

Luckily for them, Fusume ordered the group to empty the music room completely in order to find the ballet dancer. The killer jumped on the opportunity and carried the cello case out of the music room.

 

Finally, in order to truly protect Oriana, the blackened asked Monokuma to help them hide her body in the safest place possible. As the student asking him had just committed a murder, Monokuma obliged and hid the body inside the elevator to the trial grounds. 

 

This case was full of twists and turns because of the culprit’s elaborate murder plan as well as because of Raiko’s involvement and simply because of pure coincidence and bad luck from Reijiro and Rina’s part. 

 

The murderer was cunning, improvising along the way and cleaning up behind all of their actions while creating a crime so complex that we assumed two people were working together... but that didn’t save them.

 

The only one who could have pulled off this escape plan… who had a reason to protect Oriana… and to target Tadao… the one who orchestrated this entire murder… the one responsible for all these events… 

 

{Hayato is seen pointing at a grey figure who stares back confidently} 

 

It’s gotta be you, Yoshi Akeno, the Ultimate Circus Performer!

 

{Grey figure is revealed as Yoshi}

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: That’s… how it all went down.

 

Yoshi: {Head down} … 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} That was… a complicated case.

 

Kôzuke: So it’s over then? Do you think that-

 

???: *Clap* *Clap* *Clap*

 

I turned around to see the source of the claps and to my greatest surprise... 

 

Yoshi: {Slowly clapping, genuine smile} Well done… Hayato. You got it completely right.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} He’s… admitting it?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yo, why you being so gracious about it bro… 

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression} A real man… knows when he is defeated.

 

Jessie: {Sad} Yoshi-kun… 

 

Kôzuke: {Gasps medals} Why did… you have to do it Yoshi? Just why man?

 

Reijiro: {Cleaning glasses} So you admit it… you murdered the victim.

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression} Yes. It was me… and… I don’t regret doing it.

 

Kenji: {Furious} You… you motherfucker! How dare you!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Let him explain his reasons… please.

 

Yoshi… what happened to the fun, bubbly guy we knew… this… this true form is so different from what he let on. In reality he’s cold… and bitter… what the hell happened to him?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Aaaaaand, you’re gonna have to hold the phone on that! First we vote, then we talk!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Swift segway into the voting process… you know how it works by now, please vote for who you think is the guilty party using the screens on your podium.

 

Monokuma: I say please but y’know… I’ll kill you if you don’t do it so… yeah do it. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Not complying… means execution… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m sorry… but we have no choice but to vote. Please do it carefully… for everyone’s sake. 

 

Ggh… interrupting us with the voting… with the reminder that by proving his guilt… we’ve essentially sent him to the gallows… This game… what monstrosity would make teenagers partake in such a horrible game.

 

… 

 

My head full of these dark thoughts, I took a deep breath and selected Yoshi before pressing the confirm button.

 

… 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} The votes are in! Did you do it? Did you get it right? Drum Rolls please!

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression} …

 

The old Yoshi would have probably stupidly complied with a drum roll of his own… but that Yoshi is gone. 

 

Yoshi: Hayato.

 

Hayato: Huh?

 

Yoshi: {Genuine smile} Don’t worry yeah…? I’ll explain everything to all of you.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Oh o-okay!

 

It’s like he read my mind… I really am an open book huh?

 

Monokuma: And the blackened is… 

 

{A gigantic screen lights up behind Monokuma’s lifeguard chair which displays a roulette with every student’s pixelated face. A ball with Monokuma’s face on it is thrown on the roulette which start rotating at high speed. After some time, the roulette slows down and the ball lands on Yoshi. The screen goes dark for a few seconds before lighting up again with the word CORRECT flashing on it while confettis are propelled from the roulette}

 

{Scene goes back to the normal format}

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Ding ding ding! You got it 100% right! The contemptible criminal who murdered Rina Ishido… is none other than Yoshi Akeno the Ultimate Circus Performer!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} So it is true… you’re the motherfucker who did this… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Yoshi… 

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression} Actually… I wouldn’t say 100% right… there are some things that you got wrong in your explanation.

 

Hayato: I got things… wrong?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Are you gonna lie…? Even now?

 

Yoshi: {Genuine smile} Oh no… I’m being completely truthful. I have no reason to lie anymore after all. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} It’s true… I don’t see why he’d lie after all this… he has already confessed to the murder. 

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} Exactly… I just think you deserve to know the truth… the whole truth. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Then go ahead… tell us about this truth of yours. 

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} Well, first things first… there was one more motive… one that you don’t know about!

 

Shinto: {Hat covering face} Wait… really?

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression} Yeah… all those things you mentioned did matter… but there was one more motive… one that nobody really knew about. 

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold stare} Monokuma, do you want to tell them?

 

Jessie: {Scared} Monokuma?

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} Me?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} C’mon man… don’t act surprised like that

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} I am not… acting… I genuinely have to no idea what he’s talking about.

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Really?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Really.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Yeah, really… 

 

Raiko?

 

Yoshi: {Clutches hair, nervous expression} Wh-What? That makes no sense… what… what does this mean?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} What the fuck are y’all talking about!?

 

Hayato: I… I think I know what the confusion is about… 

 

Yoshi: {Nervous} Y-You know?

 

Hayato: Yes… this final secret motive was this wasn’t it?

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Threatening letter

===

 

Hayato: I found the burnt remains of this letter in the garbage room… it reads : “If you want her to remain safe, you know what to do upupu, the deadline is two days from now, happy hunting”

 

Yoshi: {Clutches hair, nervous expression} Ngh… so you found it!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Monokuma… what is this about? 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Grr… this is proof that one of you passed yourselves off as me! That’s highly unacceptable! 

 

Yoshi: It… it wasn’t you who wrote that letter?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Of course not, I wouldn’t resort to such cheap tactics what do you think!?

 

Yoshi: {Head down, grasping the podium} It… wasn’t a real motive… that’s… that’s… I’ve been played with… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} What the hell did the letter say?

 

Yoshi: It… it said… 

 

{Black and white image of Yoshi reading the letter in his room, he looks devastated} 

 

Yoshi: “Greeting bastards, you and Raiko have been randomly selected to participate in an incredible murder challenge. Because nobody has decided to commit the second murder, I’m giving you a time limit!

 

Yoshi: You will be competing with Raiko in who can murder first! Your task is to kill either her or her partner before she kills you (or your partner obviously). Of course, you are not allowed to speak of this with anyone (you know what happens when rules are broken)

 

Yoshi: If you want her to remain safe, you know what to do upupu, the deadline is two days from now, happy hunting!"

 

{Yoshi drops the paper to the floor}

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Yoshi: {Head down, grasps podium} I had no choice but to do this… I thought I would be executed if I didn't… or worse Oriana could get harmed… 

 

Oriana being harmed… is worse than him being executed? What does that mean?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} But then… if Monokuma didn’t write that letter then… who the fuck did? 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Who do you think?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} R-Raiko…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No way… would you ever stoop so low… 

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} I told you I made sure a murder would happen…  I just didn’t tell you how I’d do it hehehehe… 

 

Raiko: {Hysterical} Kyehehehehehehehehe!

 

Raiko: I knew that kidnapping Oriana wouldn’t be enough… I had to create pressure… and so I did just that! Turns out it worked out okay for me!

 

Raiko… faked that letter, just to push Yoshi to murder? I… I can’t believe it. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} How can someone… be so monstrous… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} You fucking bitch! It’s… it’s your fault that Rina’s dead!

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} No. It’s my fault… I should have realised that the letter was a fake… I should have fought my impulses… no matter what I shouldn’t have done what I did.

 

Jessie: {Sad} You’re… you’re not mad at her?

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold stare} Of course I am… she played me… played with my emotions and… made me a murderer… 

 

Yoshi: {Genuine smile} But it’s too late for me to be mad at anyone. I only have a few more moments to live. I do not want to die angry.

 

Jessie: {Tearing up} Yoshi-kun… 

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression} In fact, I know that you are angry with me… and angry with Raiko… but please, let me speak… I do not know how long I have… 

 

Yoshi: You likely have many things to say to her… and you need to think how you’ll deal with her after the trial… but please, deal with all that later. I want to get my reasons of my chest. 

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Aw, how cute!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You want us to disregard… this bitch being behind the murder…?

 

Yoshi: {Runs hand through hair, confident stare} Just for a few minutes… you can deal with her when I’m gone… I just don’t want to see more arguments… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Fine. 

 

Fusume: Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} We have all the time in the world to deal with her… {Points to Yoshi} You on the other hand, only have very limited time… so please, go ahead. Explain yourself. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Hey, you think you can just speak for all of us? Some of us want justice-

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Kenji… just let him speak.

 

Yoshi: {Genuine smile} Thank you… now where was I? I spoke about the motive… which obviously wasn’t a real motive… 

 

Yoshi: Oh of course! There is… one more thing that you got wrong… {Bitter} That’s what happened inside the music room once Rina arrived.

 

Hayato: What… happened inside the music room? 

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression} As I said… I would never have hurt an innocent person… I was okay with going after Raiko and Tadao because… well they are both criminals.

 

Tadao: {Amused} Guilty as charged!

 

Yoshi: {Flustered} But then… as you know Rina walked in the music room… my plan had gone to shit… I was about to give up really.

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold stare} Killing her wouldn’t fulfil the motive… and it also wouldn’t make sense as she was innocent.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Then why did you do it?

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} Note that I said… was innocent… but that changed quickly.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} What… what are you talking about?

 

Rina… wasn’t innocent? What does that mean?

 

Yoshi: She entered the room… saw me on the floor and made that phone call… you know that… but you don’t know what happened after. 

 

{Flashback}

 

Hayato: {Over speaker} Okay we’ll be there in a second! Hang on Rina we’re coming.

 

Rina: {Panicked} I… I… 

 

Rina: {Hangs up phone} … 

 

Rina: {Panicked} … 

 

Rina: {Suddenly serious} You can stop the clown act Yoshi… I can see that you’re not actually dead. 

 

Rina: {Sassy} C’mon, you really think an expert actress like me wouldn’t be able to differentiate someone pretending to be a dead and a real body? 

 

Rina: {Playful, poking cheek} Seriously… your breathing is way wrong… terrible performance, I’ll give you a C-

 

Rina: {Sassy} Talking about A+ performances, did you like my little panic attack!? You’re very welcome for helping sell your shitty little act. 

 

Rina: {Playful, poking cheek} But now… they’re coming here… expecting to find a dead body… and we can’t greet them with such a pitiful performance… 

 

Rina: {Pulls out letter opener} Let me help you… be a little bit more convincing!

 

Rina: {Sassy} Aw… look at you… your breathing is getting faster… don’t be scared it’ll be fast. In a few seconds it’ll be over and you’ll look exactly like a dead body… they won’t be the wiser!

 

Rina: They’ll think you were dead all along… and me… poor me, stumbled across your dead body.

 

Rina: {Advancing towards Yoshi} Yeah! It’ll be a masterful performance!

 

Yoshi: Okay, you got me! Stop this! It’s not too late.

 

Rina: {Playful, poking cheek} Oh yes… it’s too late…  much too late for you! 

 

Yoshi: Get away from me… put your weapon away!

 

Rina: {Annoyed} You know… that sorta tactic may have worked before… but no more… 

 

Yoshi: What… what changed!?

 

Rina: {Devilish smile} Because now… I remember everything!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} After saying that, she lunged at me… I got lucky and overpowered her… and that’s about it.

 

Jessie: {Scared} R-Rina-chan… was like that?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} I see… so the victim attacked you first.

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression} As I said, I have no reason to lie about this… I swear that this is exactly what happened. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Once again… the victim was almost the culprit… 

 

It’s true… Kyia almost killed Fukami last time around. Looks like Rina was just as guilty as he was.

 

Kôzuke: But… why would she do something like that man!?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} And what is that about remembering everything… Monokuma, do you know about this?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Of course, I do! You lot haven’t forgotten that you’ve lost a whole year worth of memory have ya?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Ngh… we remember it alright… 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Well you know… it could be that I accidentally revealed some of her forgotten memories to Rina.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You did what?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} C’mon, Raiko’s not the only one who’s allowed to spice it up! Nobody was killing so I did what I felt was necessary.

 

Monokuma: I mean sure, Raiko and Yoshi were planning murders… but I had to force them to get a move on!

 

So the two people who were planning murders were the two of them… that explains the cake, turns out we were wrong to assume that it was a pair that was preparing a murder together. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You revealed to her… the memories you stole from us?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} But… why would showing her push her to do something like that?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} What the fuck happened in the past year to make her snap like that!?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} That’s your job to figure out! Don’t worry in a couple trials’ time it will all be revealed to you!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} There… won’t be no more murders!

 

Monokuma: Sure… that’s what they all say. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Can’t you just give us our memories back? Please?

 

Monokuma: No can do! {Red eye glowing} Moreover… are you sure you want to know what happened last year?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} You saw what happened to Rina after she remembered!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} You… you bastard!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} What the fuck did you do to us!?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Me? Nothing! The real question is… what did you guys do?

 

Raiko: {Glare} What… does that mean?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Enough about that… Yoshi’s execution is scheduled in about 5 minutes and we definitely haven’t had enough tragic backstory so far!

 

Kenji: {Rips shirt} You motherfucker! You can’t just leave us hanging like that!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Of course I can! Now, Yoshi… why don’t you tell us a little about your sister!

 

Yoshi: {Shocked} Itsuka… don’t tell me that you did something to her!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Me? Absolutely nothing… {Red eye glowing} But you have some stuff to say about her don’t you?

 

Yoshi: {Clutches hair, nervous expression} How… how do you know about her? 

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Don’t worry about how I know… just speak baby! After all these might be some of your last words y’know!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Ggh… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} So… what about your sister?

 

Jessie: {Sad} Yoshi-kun, it’s okay if you don’t want to talk about her!

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression} No… sadly, he’s right. I probably owe you an explanation. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Then tell us!

 

Yoshi: {Sad} Truth is… the reason I was so determined to protect Oriana… was because she reminded me of my little sister.

 

{Picture of a younger Yoshi smiling with a young girl}

 

Yoshi: Itsuka, she was called… or is called, I don’t really know.

 

Jessie: You don’t know? 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} Itsuka and I grew up in a very demanding family… the family circus was the priority… over our health and over our emotions.

 

Yoshi: They made us train every single day, they forced me to put on this… ridiculous accent just because it sounded funny and would make me more appealing to the public.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} And that’s why you lost your accent so easily… just then… you stopped pretending

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression} We were trained to be circus performers… but Itsuka’s passion wasn’t the circus… it was dance.

 

Yoshi: {Nostalgic} I guess that’s why Oriana reminded me so much of her… they had the same stature… the same behaviour and the same passion for dancing.

 

Yoshi: She’d train just as hard as me for the circus… and then she’d train some more on her own for her dancing… 

 

Tadao: That’s all very interesting and all but how is it connected to the case…?

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} Shh, let him speak!

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold stare} It’s connected to you… Caspian.

 

Fusume: {Shocked} What?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Aw, the fuck did I do?

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} What I didn’t know at the time was that my parents got involved with shady people to get funds for the circus… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Oh no… 

 

Yoshi: The biggest of the donors was a mob boss… I don’t quite remember his name… 

 

Yoshi: {Angry} Turns out he ended up being kidnapped by Caspian… and then sent to prison. 

 

Tadao: {Amused} You’re gonna have to be a little bit more precise if you want me to remember who that was!

 

Yoshi: {Sad} With our funding gone… my parents told me… that they couldn’t afford paying for my sister’s training anymore. 

 

Jessie: What!?

 

Yoshi: {Tearing up} They ordered her to quit dancing… to focus on the circus so that we could get our money back through sales… and she didn’t like that one bit.

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} And so she left. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} She… l-left?

 

Yoshi: My parents were strict… even abusive at times… they took away what mattered most to her… so she left the circus… she left us… she left me… without a word. 

 

Yoshi: {Tearing up} I… I haven’t seen her since. I don’t even know if she’s still alive.

 

Jessie: {Sad} That’s… that’s so traurig … 

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} That’s why I had to protect Oriana… to mend for my mistakes… I couldn’t save Itsuka… so I had to save her!

 

Raiko: But sadly, they are not the same person are they?

 

Yoshi: {Angry} It doesn’t matter… I had to be a good big brother for once… just once… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Yoshi… 

 

Yoshi: {Head down, grasps podium} Just once… 

 

Yoshi: {Confident stare} That’s why I don’t regret what I did… I’ll do it again a thousand times. That’s what a big brother does! A big brother doesn’t abandon his siblings! 

 

Yoshi: {Tearing up} Itsuka… if only… if only I’d held you back. 

 

That’s… so sad… 

 

Tadao: {Amused} So that’s why you hate me? For kidnapping some random dude?

 

Yoshi: … I would say that I’m sorry but I’m not… This is what I had to do… to protect my family.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Yoshi… there had to be another way… 

 

Monokuma: AND CUT! That’s just about enough sob story for this chapter! Time to get to the fun stuff.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The… the execution?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} But of course, that’s the plat de resistance , the funnest of the fun!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Ngh… Yoshi-kun… no!

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression} Please, don’t feel sad for me… I did what I had to do… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} How can you be so calm man!? You’re about to be killed!

 

Yoshi: {Genuine smile} That’s fine… as I said that’s what a big brother does!

 

Kenji: {Furious} No it fucking isn’t! Why aren’t you fighting this!

 

Yoshi: {Bitter} Fukami fought it last time… look where it got her.

 

Yoshi: {Genuine smile} I’m fine with what I did… now at least the truth is out and I can be at peace with myself.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Yoshi! No… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Alright, it’s time to say goodbye once again! 

 

Jessie: {Scared} Monokuma please! 

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} It’s happening again isn’t it…? 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I’ve prepared a very special punishment for the Ultimate Circus Performer Yoshi Akeno… 

 

Kôzuke: {Horrified} Not again, please not again!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Monokuma, stop this farce! Fucking stop it now!

 

Yoshi: {Calm expression} Don’t be upset everyone… I did what I had to do.

 

Monokuma: Let’s give it everything we’ve got!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} PLEASE STOP!

 

Yoshi: Oh, one last thing… 

 

Hayato: What is it?

 

Yoshi: {Genuine smile} Tell Itsuka that I did my best for her!

 

Monokuma: {Excited} IT’S PUNISHMENT TIME!

 

{GAME OVER}

 

{YOSHI HAS BEEN FOUND GUILTY}

 

{TIME FOR THE PUNISHMENT}

 

________________

 

{Just like last time, a large claw appears, seemingly out of nowhere, and wraps around Yoshi’s neck, he gives Hayato one last confident stare before being pulled away violently. Behind Monokuma, the monitor turns on.

 

A THIN LINE, A WALK OF DEATH

 

On screen, Yoshi is seen on a small platform in a large circus filled with Monokumas. He is carrying a balancing pole and wears a red bodysuit. On a different platform about 30 meters away lies a tied up girl who looks oddly similar to him. Both platforms are connected by a very thin rope. 

 

Suddenly, a blade comes down from the sky and it drops closer and closer to the girl who appears to be scared. Yoshi doesn’t wait a second and starts walking on the tight rope to get to the girl.  However, the tightrope isn’t an ordinary tightrope, it’s actually a thin blade which starts digging into Yoshi’s bare feet.

 

Despite the pain, Yoshi continues to walk on the tightrope, seemingly getting closer and closer to the girl.  

 

A dozen meter below, lions and tigers are released inside the arena, they start trying to jump and climb up the walls, drooling trying at the sight of Yoshi.

 

Back on the tightrope, Yoshi does not seem intimidated, his feet are a bloody mess but he continues to balance on the blade and walk towards the girl. 

 

Out of nowhere, the Monokumas in the stands start throwing knives at Yoshi, he gets grazed by a few before getting seriously stabbed in the leg and in the shoulder. 

 

The camera cuts accelerate between the blade creeping on the girl, Yoshi’s bloodied feet, the wild animals back on the ground and the knives being thrown at him. He loses his balances but manages to catch himself up every single time, keeping his stoic stance the whole way through.

 

His wounds get worse and worse but he’s finally a few meters away from the other platform! Only 3 meters… 2… 1… 

 

The moment he steps foot on it, the girl disappears as a projector screen behind Yoshi turns off. He looks confused but before he can act… a huge fan pops out the far wall. 

 

The fan turns on  and starts blowing rapid waves of air. Yoshi tries getting away from it but he finally loses his balance and slips. 

 

The screen turns red for a second. A pause. 

 

Yoshi is shown to have been completely bisected by the blade he'd been walking on. Both halves of his body fall in slow motion towards the floor. 

 

The last thing the students see are his remains on the ground being eaten by the animals. The Monokumas clap and the curtain drops. Yoshi Akeno… was no more. 

 

The monitor turns off as all the students look in terror} 

 

________________

 

Monokuma: {Excited} YA-FUCKING-HOO! These just get better and better.

 

Hikari: AHHHHHHHHHH! YOSHI!!!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} What the fuck was that!

 

Kôzuke: {Horrified} I’m… I’m going to be sick for sure man.

 

Kôzuke turned around and puked in his helmet.

 

Yoko: {Crying} That was… that was… I… 

 

Shinto: {Looks down} C-Come here… Yoko… get close to me please! 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} He really thought he could save his sister! What a fool upupupupupu!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You monster. Why are you doing this to us?

 

Jessie: {Tears} I just want to go home! Please let us go!

 

Jessie, Hikari, Yoko and Kôzuke were all crying… I can’t blame them… I’m somewhat used to gore by now but… that was yet another level. 

 

And the worst is that it was my friend… one of our friends just got brutally murdered in front of our eyes… 

 

Monokuma: {Happy} C’mon… don’t tell me you guys didn’t get a kick out of this… at least one of you is sick enough to see the pleasure in suffering!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Nah bro… it’s just you! You’re the sick fuck!

 

Monokuma: {Sad} Aw well… I’m having fun and that’s what matters! What about you Raiko? Are you having fun?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Don’t talk to me.

 

Even Raiko’s shocked huh? That’s how bad it is… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You still haven’t answered my question!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Oh uh sorry… I just have a habit of not listening when you’re speaking Reijiro… anyways what was it that you said?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I asked… why are you doing this to us?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Oh that? Yeah, I actually did hear you the first time, I just decided not to answer.

 

Monokuma: {Angry} How pretentious… you think you’re so special because of your ultimate talents? You think this all a big conspiracy against y’all do you?

 

Reijiro: I didn’t say that-

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Well you know what? You can only blame yourselves for being put in the killing game! That’s right I’ve said it!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What… what does that mean?

 

Hayato: We can only blame… ourselves?

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Oops, I’ve already said too much. You can’t get this much info this early in the killing game.

 

Raiko: {Glare} You can’t leave us hanging like this… finish your thought.

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} I don’t think you get it, I can do whatever I want! Especially when it’s despair inducing upupupu!

 

Kenji: Grr… I want to know what it means dammit!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Let’s just say that you guys aren’t as… unblemished as you might think, to use Mr Seiki’s vocabulary.

 

We aren’t… unblemished?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s… that’s… 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Talking about slick transitions… it’s time for the first of many rewards for clearing the second trial.

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} We’re getting… a reward?

 

Monokuma: The best of all rewards… {Red eye glowing} Information.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I thought that you enjoyed with holding information from us.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Well, of course I do… there is significant despair in an unfinished story… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} But this is important… trust me. 

 

Hayato: Well go ahead… tell us. 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} It turns out… that there is a traitor among you. 

 

Kôzuke: {Graps medals} A t-t-traitor?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} That’s fucking bullshit!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Sadly, it isn’t! One of you bastards isn’t who they say they are and in fact… they definitely weren't part of the group before the killing game started!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} What!? But… we all are classmates aren’t we!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Yeah… we should all be part of the same group no?

 

Monokuma: Aw.. you kids are so innocent… let’s just say the world isn’t quite how you remember it… some things might have changed… the group went one way and the traitor… didn’t. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Aaaaand. That’s it for today!

 

Kenji: {Furious} What? You’re not going to tell us who the traitor is?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Well of course not. That’s your job to figure out!

 

Reijiro: And how are we supposed to do that?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} The same way you figured out Caspian’s identity… there’ll be clues lying around in the resort… you just need to find them.

 

Kenji: {Furious} So this is a fucking scavenger hunt for a traitor in our group? You really think I’m gonna play along with this shit.

 

Hikari: {Sad} N-No… there is no traitor… he’s just trying to make us doubt each other!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} He doesn’t really tend to lie to us though does he?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Believe me or don’t believe me… what do I care? I’ve given you the info you need… and now the ball’s in your court!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} So you weren’t lying when you talked about unfinished stories… 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Don’t you get it yet? I never lie when it comes to the killing game!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} And on that note, I’m out to go clean the bodies! I’ll ask you to vacate the premises ASAP, I’ll need to redecorate before the next murder!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} He’s… already leaving… 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Thanks for a bear-y entertaining trial y’all. I’ll see you on the flip side {Disappears} 

 

 

We’ve just seen two of our friends die… and now we learn that one of us has been lying to us all along… there’s a traitor among us? Could it really be?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} If anybody here’s the traitor… it’s gotta be Raiko.

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Huh?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Actually… he’s right… you’re basically responsible for both murders we’ve faced… and yet you’re still here… and they’re not.

 

Kenji: {Furious} There's no way you and us were cool before our memory loss… it means that you’ve got to be the traitor!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The logic holds… and now we have to think what we’re going to do with you.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Is the traitor… really Raiko-chan?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Okay let me stop you there. I know what’s about to happen… 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} And what is that?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} You’re going to blame me for all this… you’re going to say that I’m a monster… you’re going to hate me… well you can hate me… hate me all you want but at the end of the day my goal is the exact same as yours!

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} Our goal isn’t to see my classmates dead you bitch! 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Mine is simply to survive.

 

Jessie: Huh?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} You think I’m evil…? Well I don’t care. All i’ve done so far is play the killing game the way you’re supposed to play it. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Don’t you get it? There’s no way out of here! The game is going to continue until only two of us are left… and I’m going to fight to be in the final two… I’ll fight as hard as I can… 

 

Raiko: And if that means sacrificing a few of you along the way then so be it. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I’m not a monster… I just have the gut to do what you won’t in this killing game. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I’m not the traitor… I’m no murderer either… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You did say you wouldn’t kill directly… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Perhaps… either way, you can be certain that I will not be killing anyone.

 

Hayato: W-what now? But you said…

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I know very well what I have said. It does not change the fact that I will not kill anyone myself.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} That would just ruin the fun much too soon wouldn’t it?

 

Hayato: What do you mean?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} If I were to commit a murder, then either I would win, or I would lose, either way, it would end the game early for me.

 

Raiko: Monokuma said that the game would continue until only two of us survive. That means that I can’t kill anyone any time soon. You get it?

 

Hayato: You’re saying you won’t murder because you want the killing game to go as long as possible ?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Raiko: {Upset} At the end of the day… I’m just like all of you… so stop… fucking… treating me like a monster!

 

 

We were all gobsmacked by that small speech of her… I never thought her capable of being so heartfelt… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Raiko… it’s just that-

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Save it. I’m done {Leaves} 

 

She walked through the door and took the elevator back to the surface by herself. 

 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Everyone… we should likely do the same and go back to our rooms… It’s almost night time 

 

It’s night time already? Time flew by huh…?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Are we not discussing this whole traitor situation… as well as what just happened?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} We’re all tired… I think we should all just go to sleep for now and talk about it tomorrow morning… it would be wiser that way.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I second that… we can discuss it all together tomorrow… even with Raiko. We’ve gone through enough for one day. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} We have a lot to reflect on… I, myself, am still not aware of what my punishment will be… 

 

I had completely forgotten about that… Monokuma still hasn’t said anything about that… 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Maybe he was just bluffing about the punishment… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} That really doesn’t seem to be his style though does it? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I shall ask him tomorrow… I also have questions about those talent videos and the dull weapons… 

 

Hayato: The videos and the weapons? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Hm… I see, well you’ll figure it all out eventually… 

 

Huh… yet another cryptic message for me to decipher I guess. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Alright then… let’s get out of this hellhole.

 

We all nodded in agreement and directed our attention towards the elevator.

 

Before leaving the courtroom, I grabbed Yoshi’s necklace from the floor… I’ll pop to the arts and craft room to pick up the scarf Rina was working on a bit later. Just like I did with Kyia and Fukami, I want to keep mementos of my dead friends… to prove to them that we won’t forget them!

 

Once we entered, the machine started rumbling before starting it’s ascension to the surface… 

 

Suddenly, I felt someone grab my arm. I turned around and saw… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Listen Hayato… I’m sorry about earlier.

 

Hayato: Earlier?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I panicked and… and… I blamed stuff on you that I shouldn’t have done… 

 

Fusume: {Bows} I’m truly sorry for that… it won’t happen again.

 

Hayato: Don’t worry about it seriously… you were in a stressful situation and you did what you thought was right… I honestly won’t hold it against you! 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Really?

 

Hayato: Yeah of course! We’re friends!

 

Without a warning, Fusume jumped towards me and wrapped her arms around me. 

 

It was slightly stiff at first… but it gently melted into a pleasant hug.

 

Fusume: Thank you Hayato… for everything.

 

Hayato: Oh uh… it’s fine. I only did my… job I guess?

 

Don’t blush, don’t blush, don’t blush.

 

… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What in the world are you turning all red for! You… you… hormonal boy!

 

Why do I feel such strong deja vu… except first time was with a different girl wasn’t it.

 

My life is a tragedy. 

 

… 

 

Once we finally got back to the surface, the sky was already dark and full of stars. After some more discussion, we finally decided to head back to our respective rooms for the time being. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

In the span of a day, we’ve lost two more of our classmates… we were 16 and now we’re 12. We’ve lost a quarter of the group already… 

 

This can’t happen again. It won’t happen again.

 

We’ll find a way out of this hell hole… all together.

 

No… not all together. Because one of us is a traitor… one of us could betray the group at any time… 

 

But who the hell is that person?

 

I don’t want to doubt my classmates… but Monokuma’s forcing me to do just that.

 

Who can I trust? With my memories from the past year missing… I don’t even know if I can trust myself anymore. 

 

 

As I slowly drifted into sleep… Monokuma’s sentence from earlier came back to mind. “We’re only here because we deserve it”. 

 

What… could he have meant by that? What have we done…?

 

Who… who am I? Am I really who I think I am?

 

Without getting my memories back… I won’t be able to answer any of these questions… 

 

The only thing I can do right now is sleep… sleep and hope. 

 

Hope that tomorrow will bring a better day. 

 

 

 

 

{Later, in an undisclosed location} 

 

{Monokuma is seen holding a newspaper article} 

 

Monokuma: Looks like they’re all sleeping now… 

 

Monokuma: Another day… another successful class trial… I’m just disappointed they didn’t pay enough attention to this article… 

 

Monokuma: Of course, they all focused on Caspian and the Muratagi murder case… but did they turn to see the next page? Of course they didn’t!

 

Monokuma: Tough shit… they just missed out on crucial information… guess I’ll hold on to that article for now upupupupu… 

 

Monokuma: Now… let’s get to work… I have a lot of things to prepare… I’ll make these kids’ lives hell… 

 

{Monokuma throws the article on the floor, it lands on the page he was looking at}

 

{Camera zooms in on the newspaper article, it reads “Crucial witness in Muratagi case to testify in court!”}

 

{Camera then pans down to show a picture of Hayato in a police blanket with blood on his face. He’s staring straight at the camera} 

 

Monokuma: Hell… that’s all they deserve. 

 

_____________________________________________________________

 

Chapter 2: A Gentle Melody for a Lost Soul

END

_____________________________________________________________

SURVIVING STUDENTS:

12

 

 

Notes:

Chapter 2 is finally done! What a long ass chapter and what a mysterious ending! Many (pseudo) revelations and many new questions for our characters to answer, namely "What the hell is that newspaper article about???"

First things first, I'd like to thank you for reading this far! The support means a lot to me and I'm happy with the way the fic is going. I feel like my writing improved a lot in this chapter and I hope it gets even better as time goes.

The first part of Chapter 3 : At the Mercy of our Emotions will be out as soon as I can get all the planning done and dusted. I can't give a precise date just yet but hopefully it won't be too long (Spoiler: Chapter 3s are generally my favorite so prepare for a doozy of a case.

Whilst waiting for the next chapter you can still vote for the next FTE here : https://www.strawpoll.me/18221488/r (or in the comments} 
Moreover, I've recently made a survey which includes future case predictions and feedback on the chapter, it only takes a few minutes and it would mean the world to me if you could complete it right here : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1a-_RdJSkisyLPhtTMJsu3U3ZgiGIhygf6E9KEcOXl3g/edit#response=ACYDBNjFyO44JTAHasED3hVwqFQ9LDCi6kYUs4abwYz035TVbUfEw39O9C_Wp7dOh2tWCq4

I think that's all I had to say, as usual general feedback, predictions and comments are super appreciated too so don't hesitate to let me know you're still reading in the comments!

That's it for me! Thanks again for sticking around and see you all in Chapter 3 ;)

Chapter 29: Chapter 3 : At the Mercy of our Emotions : Daily Life part 1

Notes:

And we're back for Chapter 3, there's a new building to explore and a lot of stuff going down in the process!

Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Wh-where am I…?

 

… 

 

I… can’t see anything… too much smoke… 

 

??? #1: Where is everyone? There’s no visibility in this place!

 

??? #2 : Mmph, we have bigger problems to solve first… 

 

These voices… I recognise them… 

 

??? #3 : You motherfucker! You betrayed us all! 

 

??? #1 : No… it can’t have been that person… right?

 

??? #4 : We’re all gonna die man! 

 

Who… who are they talking to?

 

??? #2 : After everything that we have accomplished together… it seems that this is the end. 

 

??? #2 : Our group falls after having been betrayed. 

 

Betrayed? By whom? I can’t see anyone! Who are they talking about?

 

??? #3 : This… this isn’t the end. If we’re gonna die here… then we’re gonna make you pay first!

 

??? #2 : It is only fair after all… for us to get retribution… traitor. 

 

Who… who’s the traitor? Who’s the traitor!?

 

… 

 

{Hayato is seen standing in a dark room, fire surrounds him} 

 

This place is burning! How did I get here? Where am I?

 

… 


I need to get out… I need to get out!

 

??? #5 : There is no way out… you will die here. 

 

Is that… the traitor?

 

{The flames creep closer and closer to Hayato} 

 

I can’t die in here… I need to make it… I need to make it.

 

… 

 

I need to make it.

 

… 

 

I… need… to… 

 

{Screen fades to black}

 

_____________________

 

Chapter 3 : At the Mercy of our Emotions

 

_____________________

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a jacuzzi, holding some sort of cocktail glass in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Gooood Morning! This is your director speaking, it’s now 8:00 AM! Look out the window, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. A perfect weather to kill wouldn’t you say?

Get ready for a spectacular day everyone!

 

… 

 

*Pant* … *Pant* It was just a dream… just another nightmare… 

 

It felt so real though… so very real. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Yoshi: {Scared} WAAAAAAAAAAAA!

 

Fusume: It's my fault… what have I done...? 

 

There was no doubt about it this time.

 

Rina was dead.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: Let’s give it everything we’ve got!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} PLEASE STOP!

 

Yoshi: Oh, one last thing… 

 

Hayato: What is it?

 

Yoshi: {Genuine smile} Tell Itsuka that I did my best for her!

 

Monokuma: {Excited} IT’S PUNISHMENT TIME!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Yesterday was eventful… in the worst possible way. We’ve lost two more of our friends… even after we promised that we wouldn’t have any more deaths. 

 

But we failed… Yoshi and Rina are gone. We gave in to Monokuma’s motive once again… and now we know for a fact that Raiko will have no problem killing us off one by one. 

 

But that speech she gave yesterday… apparently her schemes are not even for her enjoyment anymore. Truth is she just wants to survive like us… and yet the way she goes about it is to sacrifice the rest of us… 

 

How can we go on with someone like her in between our ranks… someone like her AND a traitor to make things even better. 

 

Seems like one of us betrayed us before our memories were wiped… this traitor is one of the 12 still alive and their goal is to harm us… 

 

… 

 

Wait, a traitor… could it be that the dream I just had…? No that’s dumb. It was just a stupid nightmare, I’m overthinking things. 

 

One night’s sleep isn’t enough to compensate for everything we’ve just been through… I need a hot shower to take my mind of what has happened so far. 

 

I need a break, truly. 

 

… 

 

… 

 

… 

 

As nice as that was… I should hurry up and get to the restaurant. I don’t want to keep the others waiting… especially on a day like this. 

 

Time to get a move on… god, I just hope this day will go alright… I’ll take “alright” any day of the week.

 

Enough chatting with myself, let’s go. 

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Talk to Kôzuke} 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Oh… it’s y-you… 

 

That’s the warm welcome I was expecting upon leaving my room!

 

Hayato: Good morning to you too Kôzuke. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Sorry man… I haven’t really slept well… nightmares and such. 

 

Hayato: Don’t worry about it… I’ve had nightmares of my own. 

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} Really? I’m not the only one who had such awful dreams?

 

Hayato: Of course not! Especially after the events of yesterday… I’d be more surprised if you said that you slept like a baby.

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} Hm… good to know… thanks Hayato man. 

 

Hayato: Don’t sweat it. You honestly shouldn’t feel bad about having nightmares. 

 

Kôzuke: {Happy} Y-You’re right man! I’m in the norm! It’s perfectly acceptable to have dreams about having people throwing pumpkin seeds in your eyes mid race and then… and then… 

 

Hayato: Wait! That’s what your nightmares were about!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Well yeah… were you expecting something else?

 

Hayato: N-No… forget about it. 

 

Aaaand… I take it back. You’re as far from the norm as can be. These people… I swear they’ve got to be doing it on purpose. 

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume: {Dozing off} … zzzzzzzz… 

 

Oh boy… she’s sleeping while standing again isn’t she? 

 

Fusume: zzz… 

 

Should I wake her…? I feel bad but… fuck it.

 

Hayato: Hey Fusume… I’m guessing you didn’t sleep much.

 

Fusume: {Wakes up} Ngh! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’ve awoken me.

 

Hayato: I… s-sorry!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} You are forgiven… only because it’s you. 

 

Fusume: {Yawning} To answer your question, I was awake all night… guarding the rooms against any suspicious activity.

 

Hayato: Haven’t we had this conversation before? You’ve got to sleep at night seriously-

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And I’ll repeat to you now what I said to you before! Sleep is for the weak.

 

Fusume: {Yawning} I, Fusume Ebisawa, must protect the remaining members of the group.

 

Fusume: Even if my life… even if… {Dozing off} … 

 

I mean it’s kinda cute… but it’s definitely not healthy for her to push herself that hard. 

 

I’ll leave her to it for now. I feel like waking her up twice in the same minute is not the best idea for my health. 

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor}

 

{Move to Restaurant} 

 

The first thing I saw once I’d entered the restaurant was the entire group huddled around something… or someone… 

 

Wait!

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} Th-thank you e-everyone but p-please, I’m o-okay… really!

 

Hayato: Oriana!

 

She’s awake!

 

Jessie: {Crying} Oriana-chaaaan! I’ve missed you so much!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} It’s only b-been like uh… one d-d-day right?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Still it felt like such a long time… 

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Yeah! Welcome back little one!

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} Th-Thank you all… {Trembles} Even though t-t-to be uh… fair… I’m not quite s-sure I understand wh-what’s happened to me.

 

Hayato: Wait… has nobody explained the situation to her yet?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} She arrived only a couple minutes before you did Hayato… you haven’t missed much.

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} Wh-what is there to e-explain? 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} And wh-why does it f-feel like people are missing!?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Well uh… apart from Raiko everybody’s here man… 

 

Oriana: {Cries} B-But… we’re definitely l-l-less than before!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} … 

 

Kenji: {Looking down} … 

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} Why a-are you all b-being so quiet?

 

How… how do we break the news?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I guess it is up to me to explain the situation yes?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} The s-situation?

 

… 

 

Reijiro gave Oriana a detailed walkthrough of everything… from her kidnapping to Rina’s murder to the trial… we all listened in silence as if hearing him talking about it would confirm that it wasn’t just a nightmare… it’s real.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} … 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} And that is about all that happened. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Oriana-chan… 

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilate} I… I… I… 


Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaaah! They d-d-d-d-died… because of me!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} N-No! That’s not true at all!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Y-Yes it is! Yoshi did… those h-h-horrible things to protect me! I was weak and… and… I’m sorryyyyyyyy!

 

Oriana looked as if she was going to run away but the moment she started moving, Fusume grabbed her arm firmly.

 

Oriana: {Scared} F-F-Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Now listen here. 

 

Oriana: Eep!

 

Fusume: {Softly} Don’t blame yourself… please. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} What Yoshi did… is on him. He took that decision by himself… you have nothing to do with that. 

 

Oriana: {Cries} B-but… he did it for me!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} So what? You didn’t actually ask him to do it did you? You didn’t ask to be protected!

 

Oriana: No b-but… if I wasn’t so weak.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Stop saying that! You have nothing to do with this murder okay! This is on Yoshi for deciding to commit a murder… but mostly on Monokuma for forcing us into this devilish game!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Whoever you want can be at fault… but it’s definitely not you Oriana so I don’t want to ever hear you blaming yourself like this again! 

 

Kenji: {Scratches cheek} I mean… I’d say it’s mostly Raiko’s fault and all but y’know-

 

Fusume: Shut up Kenji, you’re not helping. 

 

Oriana: {Scared} Eep!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} You’re not at fault Oriana… is that clear? 

 

Oriana: {Cries} … 

 

Damn… Fusume’s definitely giving her tough love huh… 

 

Fusume: {Softly} Listen to me… Yoshi’s gone… that much can’t be changed. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} But that attitude of yours definitely can be!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} M-My… a-a-attitude…?

 

Fusume: {Softly} If he was still here… Yoshi would want you to live happily… he sacrificed himself for your sake sure… but that means he would never want you to give up. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} You need to keep on fighting… we all do. We can’t give in to this killing game ever again… for Yoshi’s sake… and for the sake of everyone else who died so far!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} You… you… you… {Cries} You’re riiiiiight!

 

Hikari: {Sad} Despite how tragic this all is… we can’t give up! 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m all for being hopeful and shit… but what are we supposed to do man? We’ve looked around everywhere for an exit and for clues!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} That is only partially true. 

 

Hayato: Reijiro?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What the fuck do you mean? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} If you try to remember what happened the day after the first trial… we should be getting a new building to explore… {Sly grin} Right about now. 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} A new building… to explore?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKERS!

 

Kôzuke: {Scared} Nyaaah!

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Mmph… how predictable. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Monokuma… what the hell are you doing here? This isn’t the time. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Of course, it’s the time. Y’all have managed to survive another trial and that means I have a present to give you!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} We d-don’t… uh… w-want your p-presents!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Oh but… I think you do. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} As Kôzuke said, rightly so, you’re out of places to explore… so here I am to save the day once again!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Is that what you were hinting at Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Seriously, how thick can you be…? Do you really not remember the events of only a few days ago?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Monokuma did say that he would unlock a new building every time we made it through a class trial successfully… is that what’s happening here?

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Right you are! It’s time to open up a new area for you to explore! A new building means new opportunities for murder!

 

So that’s what Reijiro was talking about before… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Faatali se lua! Shouldn’t you wait for Raiko-chan before making an announcement like this?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} That’s… right! Raiko isn’t here with us right now!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Nah don’t you worry, she said she didn’t wanna meet with you bastards… I’ve already told her all about it!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} In fact, I’ve already opened up the Red Building and she’s exploring it as we speak!

 

Hayato: Wh-What?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We… we cannot let someone like her get the upper hand on us like that!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} If she gets to check out the red building before us… she might hide stuff from us or set up traps!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaah! W-We can’t l-l-l-let that happen! Especially a-after what she d-d-did to me!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Then let us not waste time discussing this, we must make haste to the red building!

 

Reijiro: Bear, you have made your announcement… now let us go. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Tut tut. Aren’t you forgetting something smarty-boy?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} M-Me?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Don’t you remember? Today’s a very important day for you!

 

Fusume: {Covering face with hands} Oh… no.

 

Is he talking about…?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… you are finally going to punish me for losing my partner yes?

Monokuma: {Excited} Ding ding ding! You hit the nail on the head! It’s time for me to announce how you’re getting punished… {Red eye glowing} after all, it isn’t like me to make empty promises!

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Then go ahead… kill me. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Kill… you?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Reijiro! NO!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} How… are you so calm about this?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I am not afraid to die… if the bear has decided to kill me then quite obviously… me fighting it will not do me any good.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Hence, I shall accept it like a man

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Kill you? Me? Oh no… no no no. Where would you get that idea?

 

Tadao: {Amused} Huh… so you’re not gonna execute him?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Of course not! Execution is only for those who break the rules… and I don’t remember Reijiro doing that!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} B-But… you said punishment… so I assumed that… 

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Huh… maybe I could have been a bit clearer with my words… oh well. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Then… what are you going to do to me?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I don’t wanna just kill you off and get rid of a player like that… as I’ve said before I don’t get involved in the killing game unless I have to. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} However… I did say that you would be punished… I don’t want to go back on my word… so here goes. 

 

Reijiro’s punishment… I can only hope that it’s not something too bad. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Aw c’mon, what are y’all looking at me with such puppy eyes for? This punishment is nothing drastic! It’s just a little rule I’m adding for Reijiro!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Just see it as… a motive of sorts.

 

A motive of sorts? 

 

*Ding*

 

I felt my Resident ID vibrate in my jacket pocket.

 

Yoko: {Shocked} The heck was that?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} That should be the new rule having been added to your Resident IDs! Go ahead check it, check it!

 

Being left with only little of a choice, I pulled out the small tablet and went to the “Rules and Regulations” tab. 

 

… 

 

As expected the screen is slightly different from the last time I’d checked. The weapons rule has been deleted and in its place… I saw… 

 

{Camera shows a closeup on the Resident ID}

 

Rule #12 : Reijiro Yamane is forbidden from eating until the next murder. Any attempt at feeding him will be punished accordingly

 

Hayato: What… what the hell?

 

{Back to normal}

 

Fusume: {Hurt} He… is forbidden from eating…?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaaaah! That’s s-s-so unfair!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… I see how it is. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Reijiro…?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I hope you had a good breakfast Reijiro cuz… 

 

Monokuma: {Sad} Aw… why does it look like you aren't bothered smarty-boy?

 

Reijiro: I am bothered… of course. {Sly grin} But I was expecting much worse from you Monokuma.

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} Let’s just say I am underwhelmed by… such an idiotic punishment!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Underwhelmed? How dare you!?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} This is a brilliant motive! You’ll die if nobody commits a murder!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Is that it? Hm… how very disappointing… it really does feel like you are losing your touch Monokuma… 

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} M-Me… losing my touch? How dare you say that to me… No way! This is a great punishment! I know it is… I know… I… 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Damn you bastard! {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

He left… 

 

Hayato: Reijiro… what was that all about?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… I was never going to give him the satisfaction of being alarmed by this new rule. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} After analyzing his personality… I assumed that the best way to react was to make it seem like I did not care… {Head down, glasses shining} But this is obviously concerning for me. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Reijiro… you can only last so long without eating… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… the rule does not specify anything about drinking… I therefore assume that this much is allowed. 

 

Reijiro: {Flips through book} I am therefore not in much of a hurry to eat… a human can survive about 3 weeks solely on water. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} 3 weeks? I didn’t know you could last that long. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Still… that means that in 3 weeks… if there hasn’t been a single murder then Reijiro will die!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I don’t want you to die… after everything that I’ve put you through lately… I’m so sorry Reijiro!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Your apologies are welcome… but now’s not the time… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I will not allow any of you to kill to protect me! My life is mine and mine only to save.

 

Fusume: {Sad} Reijiro… 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} However… there has to be a way to escape this… 

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} A way… to escape it?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} There is a new area for us to explore… if we are lucky we might find some clues on how to escape… If we get out of this resort soon then this new rule will not matter. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} It essentially means that… I have three weeks to find a way out… or it is over for me. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Either that or one of us murders… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} No! That will not happen. There will not be a single murder… I will not allow it. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Does that mean… you’re just going to let it happen and starve?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I will investigate for as much as I can… however, I will not tempt Monokuma… I am lucky enough that he did not execute me for losing my partner… 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} I would assume that me breaking this new rule would result in my death… it would therefore be foolish for me to try eating. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I just hope that I will be conscious long enough to be helpful… I cannot guarantee how long I will last while fasting. 

 

Even though you can survive quite a long time without eating anything… Reijiro will be weakened massively by such a punishment… especially with how frail he is… I’m not sure that he’ll remain in such good shape for long. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Reijiro… I’m so sorry… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Do not worry for me… be sorry when I die. Right now, there is no use in pitying me. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} We must be efficient in our exploration of the red building. The faster we find a way to escape the resort the better. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Are we even sure that there’ll be a way out through that building…?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We can’t know for sure but… we have no choice but to try our hardest! 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} If we don’t find anything… then at least one of us will die… 

 

That’s right… if nobody decides to commit a murder, then Reijiro will eventually starve to death… and if somebody does kill a member of the group… well that’s another two deaths on our arms.  

 

Reijiro might have acted like he didn’t care… but this is actually quite smart from Monokuma… he targeted on of the most important members of the group and is forcing us to kill in order to keep him alive. 

 

Monokuma has created a trolley problem for us to solve… do we kill an innocent person or do we let Reijiro die… 

 

There must be a way out… that’s right! There has to be some third possibility… that’s why… that’s why we’ve gotta find a way to escape… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I believe that we’ve had enough chit chat for the time being… let us head out and investigate. 

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Yes! I’m going to do my best for you Reijiro! For all of us!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Our investigation needs to be thorough… no stone can be left unturned… everybody’s participation is therefore crucial.

 

Tadao: {Heinous} I’ll do whatever the fuck I want alright… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} … 

 

Tadao: {Nervous} But… uh… yeah. I guess it won’t hurt to take a look around. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Better. If everybody’s on board then let’s head out! 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} To the Red Building we go!

 

{Everybody disperses} 

 

Hm… everybody’s gone. I guess I should make my way outside too. 

 

It’s not too reassuring to think that Raiko has already had time to explore the building by herself… that means I’ve got to be extra cautious and examine every nook and cranny of the building… 

 

… 

 

No time to waste. I won’t let the others down!

 

{Auto-move outside} 

 

First things first, I should take another quick look at the map of this place… just to make sure I don’t miss anything. 

 

 

 

So… logically, the red building is the next one to be unlocked. The beach as well as the other two buildings are still off limits, I guess. Let’s continue on. 

 

{Move to Red Building - Entrance} 

 

In terms of structure… the red building is essentially the exact opposite of the yellow building. The latter was high and narrow while this building is only one floor tall but is very wide. 

 

According to my Resident ID… there are two main sections in this building. The East and West wings. Everything’s on the same floor… guess that’ll give my calves a rest after all this walking staircases up and down… 

 

I don’t think there’s much else to note from the outside… It’d probably be wiser to just enter and see what it’s like inside. 

 

{Move to Red Building - West Wing} 

 

{The inside of the red building is quite simple, the walls are painted a blood like shade of red with dark brown slivers occasionally being seen, in the west wing area, four doors of a distinct brown wood can be seen at opposite ends of the corridor, the labels read “Greenhouse”, “Infirmary”, “Cinema” and “Isolation room”}

 

The decoration is much less flashy and extravagant than in the yellow building… the colours in this one actually give it a pretty eerie feel… 

 

Also… continuing on the theme of rooms that are definitely not adapted for a summer resort… these four have nothing to do in a place like this. My curiosity is especially piqued by the Isolation room… I wonder what that could be. 

 

Seriously, what is this resort…? 

 

{Move to Greenhouse} 

 

{The greenhouse walls are made of glass and it is filled with plants of all types. Additionally, there are shelves in which lie different gardening utensils and more general tools. Kenji is here} 

 

Oh… oh my. It’s really warm in here. I know greenhouses are made to keep the plants exposed to the sunlight but still… I won’t last long in this room. 

 

Then again… why the hell is there a greenhouse in a resort? 

 

Ugh… I don’t even think I want to know the answer to that question. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} … 

 

Kenji’s here… I’m not sure he’s noticed me though… he looks really deep in thought. I should probably check out if he’s found anything important. 

 

{Talk to Kenji} 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I could… I could do this… no, no that’s dumb… dammit! Think Kenji… c’mon… 

 

He’s talking to himself, while looking…  rather worried. 

 

Hayato: Um, Kenji is everything okay?

 

Kenji: {Shocked} Gah! Oh… it’s just you. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I’m fine… just y’know… trynna be helpful for once. 

 

Hayato: For once…? What do you mean?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} You know damn well what I mean… this whole trial all I did was say stupid shit over and over again. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I was so convinced that I was right… that I didn’t think about what I was saying… and so I led us into dead ends over and over again. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} I hate… and I mean I fucking hate feeling useless… so I’m trying my hardest to find a clue of some sort… {Raised eyebrow} Haven’t been too lucky so far. 

 

Kenji… he thinks that he was useless… but I know that it wasn’t like that at all!

 

Hayato: Hey uh… maybe you got some of your accusations wrong but still… I definitely wouldn’t call you useless. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} What… What are you talking about?

 

Hayato: Well, think of it that way… if you hadn’t been so adamant on accusing Tadao we probably wouldn’t have been able to prove his innocence. 

 

Hayato: Not only that but without you noticing that paint stain, it would have been impossible to prove Yoshi’s guilt… you might not realise it but we probably wouldn’t have managed to solve this case if you hadn’t been here. 

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} … 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Y-You really think that?

 

Hayato: Of course! I wouldn’t say something I don’t believe to be true! You really were helpful!

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} … 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Maybe you’re right… I’ve been a bit harsh on myself… still I need to do my best in investigating this new building… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I might not be Reijiro’s biggest fan… but I can’t just sit there idly while he slowly starves to death!

 

Kenji: You… you… {Pulls on shirt collar} You’ve pumped me up! I’ll examine the shit out of this building even if it’s the last thing I do!

 

Hm… I’m glad I managed to cheer him up a bit… he doesn’t deserve to feel as if he wasn’t of use… 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} I’ve already taken quite a good look at this greenhouse so yeah… don’t hesitate to ask me if you have any questions bro.

 

Hayato: Thanks… will do. 

 

Now that I’m done playing therapist… I’d better take a quick look at this room for myself. 

 

{Examine Boot Shelf}

 

Just like back at the swimming pool… it looks like these are personalised pairs of boots for each and every one of us. They range from really small for Oriana and Tadao all the way to enormous for Kenji. 

 

Kenji: {Scratches hair with playful smile} So! You’ve found the gardening boots huh?

 

Hayato: Well… I mean it’s not like they were hidden or anything. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I don’t need to wear these because you know I already wear boots… but the rest of you should probably change into them when you get in. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} If you don’t you’ll end up putting mud everywhere in the building… and that’s gonna be a huge pain to clean up!

 

I guess that’s fair… the ground is super muddy here so it’s surely better not to dirty our personal shoes… guess I’ll try these on. 

 

Kenji: {Scratches hair with playful smile} Don’t hesitate to wear them! They’re really good quality… I know my shit when it comes to boots!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} In fact these are kinda special cuz they’re ambipedal… like mine. 

 

Hayato: Ambipedal? That means you can wear them on either foot right?

 

Kenji: {Scratches hair with playful smile} Damn straight! Every good pair of shoes should be ambipedal! It’s such a pain to remember which shoe goes on which foot seriously!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Thanks to my boots I don’t ever have to lose time checking which shoe goes where! Pretty neat right?

 

Hayato: Yeah right. 

 

Nope. That’s probably the saddest thing I’ve heard all day. 

 

{Examine plants} 

 

As expected of a greenhouse… there are plants everywhere in this room. Most of them are brightly coloured and look pretty exotic. 

 

Looks like Monokuma didn’t hold anything back for the deco of his resort. 

 

Hayato: Well uh… these are quite nice. 

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Huh… I didn’t take you for a dude who could appreciate the beauty of nature… 

 

Hayato: Oh… and what did you take me for?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Um, I don’t know, I guess you’re more of a stay home, drink herbal tea and cry yourself to sleep type guy. 

 

Hayato: H-Hey is that really the image I give off?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} C’mon dog… don’t be offended. Drinking tea is cool… I guess… 

 

Herbal tea is awesome alright! How… dare he?

 

… 

 

And I almost never cry myself to sleep! Screw this guy… 

 

{Examine Wheelbarrow}

 

This is a pretty standard wheelbarrow… it’s large enough to carry a bunch of stuff if needed. 

 

Now that I look a bit closer… it looks like there’s a metallic box stashed behind it. An inaccessible box, that sounds like something I wanna check out. 

 

All I need to do is roll the wheelbarrow out of the way. 

 

… 

 

Dammit, the wheels are blocked by stoppers. I can’t just roll it. Guess I’ll have to lift the damn thing. 

 

Hayato: HNNNNNNNNNGH! 

 

I crumbled down from the effort. 

 

It didn’t move an inch. 

 

… Why does this situation feel so familiar?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} You need help there buddy?

 

Hayato: Does it look like I need help?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Chill out bro… no need to fucking panic. I’ll pick this up for you… just relax. 

 

Kenji bended forward and grabbed both ends of the wheelbarrow. 

 

Kenji: Just gotta… get the right grip… Hnnngh!

 

And just like that… 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} There you go, one wheelbarrow out of the way for you my friend. 

 

Hayato: Yeah thanks about that. 

 

Kenji: {Scratches hair with playful smile} No need to thank me, just directly ask for help next time, we don’t want you to break your little bones do we?

 

He just takes pleasure in humiliating me doesn’t he?

 

{Examine Metallic box} 

 

Now that I’ve gone through all this… I might as well check out what this box is. 

 

I opened the box and saw… 

 

{Inside the box we can see different sized screwdrivers, wrenches and hammers} 

 

Hayato: Huh… it’s just a toolbox.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Did you expect something else?

 

Hayato: I’m not sure what I was expecting… 

 

Maybe it was just a coincidence that this toolbox was stuck all the way behind the wheelbarrow. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Well, we might as well leave it out in the open now… That thing could be useful later. 

 

I guess he’s right… I better remember that this toolbox exists. Who knows if we might need it… 

 

… 

 

I guess that does it for the Greenhouse. I should probably move on to another room. 

 

{Move to Red Building - West Wing} 

 

{Move to Cinema} 

 

{The cinema looks just like a normal movie theater, there are five rows of red armchairs facing a big screen, in a corner of the room lies a popcorn machine while in the other corner, a huge shelf filled with dvds can be seen, Kôzuke is here} 

 

Hm… this room looks pretty normal. Just your usual movie theater, not too big but that gives it a cosy vibe. I like it. 

 

Thinking about it… the last couple times that Monokuma showed us videos it… didn’t end up going too well. 

 

Maybe I shouldn’t be so enthralled by this… 

 

{Examine Chairs} 

 

These chairs are really, really soft. If nobody was around, I’d assume they were practically begging for a nap… 

 

Napping probably isn’t the best choice in our situation… 

 

 

Then again… nobody will notice if I just test them out right?

 

Let me sneakily approach this cushioned beauty… I’m just gonna put my head down for a second and-

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hey man! What are you doing?

 

Mission failed, I repeat mission failed.

 

{Talk to Kôzuke} 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Man… were you gonna sleep?

 

Hayato: …

Hayato Me? O-Of course not! We have a building to explore haha… haha… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hm… fine… if you say so.

 

Hayato: You know me, I’m all about that investigating… 

 

You saw nothing… nothing you hear me!

 

{Examine Popcorn Machine} 

 

Again… this just looks like an ordinary popcorn machine, there are little bags to store the corn before you cook it on the side and a spatula to get them out hanging at the far end of the machine. 

 

I don’t think I’m going to get any crucial clue from this machine… better spend my time doing something more useful.

 

{Examine DVD shelves}

 

Kôzuke: {Starry eyed} Oh… my… 

 

Hayato: What’s got you so excited Kôzuke?

 

Kôzuke: {Starry eyed} I… I never would have thought that there would actually be good movies in this place!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Like, knowing Monokuma… I was expecting some stupid bear films or whatnot… 

 

Kôzuke: {Starry eyed} But no… here I am, standing in front of a cinematic masterpiece.

 

A masterpiece huh?

 

Hayato: So you like movies huh?

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} Of course I do… but only classics. I don’t watch a movie if it’s not great. I have high expectations y’know man! 

 

Hayato: Hm, I see… so what’s this movie you’ve found in the shelf then?

 

Kôzuke: {Starry eyed} The monument that is… Cars!

 

… 

 

Wait what?

 

Hayato: Cars… as in the Pixar movie?

 

Kôzuke: {Starry eyed} Oh Flash Mcqueen… you beauty of a specimen… 

 

And he’s off into his little car world… 

 

I am so disappointed… and yet I can’t say that I’m surprised at all. 

 

… 

 

Well, this room isn’t going to be of much use in finding a way out is it? It’s just a cinema… with a questionable taste in movies. 

 

I should leave Kôzuke to his racing fantasies and go to the next room I find. 

 

{Move to Red Building - West Wing} 

 

{Move to Infirmary}

 

{The infirmary has two rows of white sheeted beds on both ends of the room, we can also see cupboards filled with medications of all kinds as well as a wardrobe containing a number of blouses. One object stick out as unusual, a golden katana on a pedestal next to the far left corner. Oriana and Fusume are here} 

 

I guess it’s not that weird to have an infirmary in a resort… but still, this looks more like a school nursing room than anything else. 

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} K-Kyaaaah! It… w-w-won’t come off!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Just stop moving Oriana! I can’t help you if you’re flailing around like a crazy woman.

 

Oriana: {Cries} I’m c-c-crazy?? S-Sorryyyyyy!

 

Fusume: That’s… not what I said. {Pulls out kunai} Just… just… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Deep breaths Fusume… deep breathing will do the trick

 

What… what the hell is going on here? I should probably ask them what happened before Fusume snaps. 

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Oh… Hayato you’re here. 

 

Hayato: H-Hey, how did you know it was me? Your eyes are closed!

 

Fusume: {Confident} You have a strong… and recognisable smell… I based my assumption on that.

 

I have a strong smell? First time I’ve heard that… 

 

Hayato: And uh… what do I smell like?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Laundry. 

 

Laundry!!!?

Hayato: Is that a good thing… or?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Don’t you see we have bigger things to discuss than such a pointless argument!?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Fusume!!!! H-Help me!!!

 

Hayato: What happened to Oriana…?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Why don’t you ask her directly… I’m a little bit drained.  

 

Ask her directly? Yeah, I can do that.

 

{Talk to Oriana} 

 

Oriana: {Cries} Ahhhhhhhh!

 

Hayato: Oriana… relax! Why don’t you tell me what happened?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I… I… I thought that golden s-sword was pretty so I t-t-touched it… and now my hands are covered in g-gold!

 

Hayato: They’re… covered in gold?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} The handle is flakey… This sword is obviously not actually made of gold but simply gold plated. 

 

Hayato: I see… some of the plating got on Oriana’s hands after she touched that handle… is that it?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Essentially… I still fail to see why this is such a big deal!

 

Oriana: {Cries} I want it… uh… uh… off m-me!

 

Hayato: Have you just… tried washing it off?

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} Of c-course… uh… it did n-nothing!

 

Hayato: Did you use soap?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} … 

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaaaaaah! I forgot to u-use soap! Arashi-sensei would b-be so disappointed!

 

Seriously?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I… I’ll just help you Oriana… just promise me you’ll stop crying. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} You’d… d-do that for me?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes… we’ll get it off you… just… try not to be so loud about it all. 

 

Oriana: S-S-Sorryyyy!

 

Fusume: {Plays with kunai} Hayato. Please, continue your investigation… you can report everything to me later today. 

 

Hayato: Okay then… good luck. 

 

I guess I’ll leave the two of them to that… I should take advantage of them being busy to be extra thorough in my examination of this room… 

 

{Examine Golden Katana} 

 

So… this is the “sword” that Oriana put her hands on… I guess its golden tint makes it visually appealing… but still, it’s probably wiser not to touch it… 

 

Also, obvious question but what the hell is a katana doing in an infirmary? It really feels out of place. 

 

I guess this is Monokuma’s way of reminding us that we’re never safe from a murder… even in a place that’s literally meant to have us cared for.

 

A murder weapon… in an infirmary… stupid fucking bear. 

 

{Examine Bandages} 

 

These look like ordinary bandages… they could be used to tend wounds and so on… 

 

The only peculiar thing about this stack of bandages is how much we’ve got… Huh, I guess it’s better to have too many than too little… 

 

Ugh, hopefully we won’t ever need to use these bandages at all. 

 

{Examine Ventilation Grid} 

 

Looking at this ventilation grid in the top corner of the room kinda gives me the shivers… 

 

Wow, that really sounds pathetic without context… I guess it just reminds me of Fukami and that whole case… 

 

Looking at it though, I think this grid is probably too high up in the air for anybody to be able to use it… so I think we’re good.

 

… 

 

That does it for the infirmary… Fusume still looks busy cleaning Oriana’s hands so I guess I’ll just leave them to it… I’ll report everything to Fusume when I next see her… 

 

Hopefully I’ll have more to actually report by then. 

 

{Move to Red Building - West Wing} 

 

Time to head to the room that intrigued me most… 

 

{Move to Isolation Room} 

 

{This room gives a very different atmosphere than the others. The walls are painted black and it is almost empty. The only notable furniture in the room is a desk covered with a half dozen computer monitors and finally, what looks like a large armchair covered with a white sheet. Tadao and Raiko are here}

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Come on, say it one more time for me!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} I’ll say it as many times as you want, bitch! I should have killed you back there and then!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} The great Caspian stooping so low as to murder me…? Well, I guess you would know something about killing women.

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Wh-What!? Hey, I told you already I didn’t kill that Muratagi girl, seriously! 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Sure… I believe you. 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} I’ll fuck you up!

 

Raiko: {Hearts with hands} Calm down Tadao darling… it looks like we have a guest.

 

What the hell have I walked into…?

 

I really didn’t want to have to interact with Raiko but… I guess I have no choice now that she’s noticed me huh?

 

{Talk to Raiko} 

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Hayato… how nice of you to join us. 

 

Hayato: Don’t act like nothing happened Raiko… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Happened…? What are you talking about?

 

Hayato: Oh you know, that time less than 24 hours ago when you sent two of our friends to their deaths!

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Oh that? That’s what you’re talking about?

 

Hayato: How… how dare you act like it doesn’t matter!?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Thank you, dammit! Finally someone who isn’t a complete idiot!

 

Tadao… agrees with me?

 

{Talk to Tadao} 

 

Hayato: Tadao… 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} You! You look like you have at least a couple of working brain cells! Tell her that what she did was a bitch of a move!

 

Hayato: Well, yeah… without her intervention… Yoshi wouldn’t have killed Rina and they would both still be here.

 

Tadao: That’s… {Heinous} That’s not the problem!

 

Hayato: It’s not? 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Of course not! The problem is that this bitch tried to get someone to kill me!

 

I mean… he’s not wrong, Raiko’s objective was for Yoshi to kill Tadao… he simply got lucky that Rina entered the room when she did!

 

If she hadn’t… he’d be dead, and Raiko would be the one fasting, not Reijiro!

 

Is that… better?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} I only survived off sheer luck… and this fucking bitch is the one to blame for all that! 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} If it’s all as you say… then what is your solution huh?

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Wh-What?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} What the hell would you have me do? Just kill myself so you don’t have to deal with me? 

 

Tadao: That… {Malicious smile} Yeah, that sounds like a good idea!

 

Wait what?

 

Tadao: {Amused} That way none of us get punished for getting rid of scum like you!

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} You… shouldn’t say stuff like that… 

 

Tadao: {Laughs out loud} Or what? You’ll do your little manipulation shit and get me killed?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} … 

 

Tadao: What’s wrong, cat’s got your tongue?

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} … That’s e-enough… {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

Raiko’s gone… I would say that it’s good riddance… but damn that was verbal lashing if I’ve ever seen it… 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} That’s right bitch! That’s what happens when you fuck with me!

 

Hayato: Wasn’t that… a little too harsh?

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Aw c’mon… don’t tell me you’re gonna take her side too!

 

Hayato: That’s not what I’m saying-

 

Tadao: {Points at hairband} Save it… I really don’t wanna hear your bullshit explanations… just get out of my face will ya?

 

Never thought I’d say that… but I think I prefered Tadao back when he didn’t speak… 

 

{Examine Armchair}

 

So this is the isolation room… I guess I understand where the name comes from… this room feels very oppressive… it’s almost empty other than this big chair thing in the middle… 

 

I should probably lift off this white sheet to see what this chair’s all about. 

 

Can’t say I have a good feeling about it though… 

 

… 

 

I took the sheet off and saw… 

 

{Restraint chair comes into view, it is a big cushioned armchair with iron clamps on both armrests, next to the leg space and finally a larger one that seems to wrap around the backrest} 

 

Hayato: What the hell is that thing?

 

Monokuma: {Appears} Allow me to answer your questions kind sir.

 

And here comes yet another person I don’t want to see… this room is just full of surprises isn’t it?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} C’mon don’t be shy! I know you’ve got questions!

 

Hayato: You’re damn right, I’ve got questions… like what the heck is this room for example!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Let me explain… this room was built with one purpose in mind… to keep someone under control!

 

Hayato: Under control? That’s what this chair’s for?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} It’s a restraint chair… the clue’s in the title Sherlock upupu! 

 

Hayato: I see… so tell me, how does this chair work!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Ooh… I knew you’d be interested in using it!

 

Hayato: Nobody said I was interested… I just think it’s useful to understand its mechanism!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Sure… sure… either way I’ll explain it for you. 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Once somebody sits on the chair and the activation button situated behind the backrest is pressed… the clamps will lock and the poor chap sitting will be stuck there. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Trust me when I say this… there’s absolutely no way out of this chair once you’re in it!

 

Hayato: N-No way out? Surely you could just press the button again right?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Oh no… that would be too simple… once the button has been pressed, it’s pretty much useless. 

 

Hayato: Then… how the hell do you get out of it?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Well, in theory you don’t… but in case of absolute emergency, you can deactivate the chair by disconnecting it from the electricity source. 

 

Hayato: And you do that how?

 

Monokuma: {Curious} You’ve got to go all the way to the Cinema and mess with the fusebox, I guess. 

 

Hayato: So the fusebox’s in the Cinema room…?

 

Monokuma: Yup, next to the entrance! 

 

Hayato: So… the only way out of this chair is to cut off the electricity in the whole building?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Basically… but I’d strongly advise against doing that… trust me! I wouldn’t take too kindly someone messing with my electricity.

 

Monokuma: And then again, once you’ve got your prey in the restraint chair… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Do you really want them out of it?

 

That’s… that’s freaking horrible. This chair basically imprisons someone in this room indefinitely… I can’t imagine what this would do to a person… being stuck here… 

 

There’s no way we’re using it… no way at all! This isn’t the right thing to do!

 

Monokuma: {Excited} That about covers the info about this chair… pretty neat right?

 

Does anybody here understand the meaning of the expression “pretty neat”? First Kenji with his stupid shoes and now this… 

 

Monokuma: {Happy} May I assist you with something else?

 

Hayato: The heck are you being so polite for?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Me? Oh you know, these are thrilling times! You’re discovering a new area… full of hope… but deep down you know the only way out of here is through murder. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} And so the smartest ones out of y’all will already start planning their next move!

 

Hayato: That’s not true dammit! Nobody will kill again!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Sure thing! Why don’t you continue being so naive!? I’m confident things will go your way with such a positive mentality!

 

Hayato: Listen Monokuma… if you don’t have something else of value to tell me… you can fuck off. 

 

Monokuma: {Sad} Ouchies… do you kiss your mother with those lips? Oh wait, you don’t! 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Because you won’t see her until you kill someone and get away with it upupu!

 

Hayato: Okay, that’s it.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Fine, don’t leave… there’s one more thing you should know about this room. 

 

Hayato: Start speaking. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Basically…  this room’s all about security right? So there are a lot of measures being taken in order to fully monitor who enters and leaves the room. 

 

Hayato: Go on… 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Two elements to it. First, this camera isn’t like the usual cameras around the resort.

 

{Zoom on the room’s security camera, it looks slightly larger than the other ones seen so far} 

 

Monokuma: This camera has been programmed to take a picture of the room every 15 minutes. That way you can easily track the state of the room at any time of the day!

 

Hayato: Okay… and what’s the second element?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Boy, am I glad you asked! Take a closer look at the door of this room!

 

{Zoom on the door, there’s a little light flashing at the very top}

 

Monokuma: This right here is a sensor! It will register every time somebody enters or leaves the room! And that little guy will also work 24/7.

 

{Back to normal}

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} In other words… these two features will allow you to know exactly what’s up with this room and with your prisoner at all times! Pretty great isn’t it?

 

Hayato: Sure… thanks for the info. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} You got it, holler if you need anything! {Disappears} 

 

Thankfully he’s gone… 

 

… 

 

That was a lot to digest… I guess it is useful to know all this about this room… there might be some sort of use to all these security features… 

 

{Examine Computers} 

 

As soon as I touched the monitor it turned on… No internet connection, obviously. That would have been too easy. 

 

There are only two folders I can actually  click on. “Camera Data” and “Sensor data”

 

Guess Monokuma wasn’t lying about all this. 

 

… 

 

I don’t think I can stand being in this room much longer… I need a breath of fresh air… I’ll head back out to the west wing for now… I think I covered most of the isolation room anyway. 

 

Time to move on with my life 

 

{Move to Red Building - West Wing} 

 

I guess that does it for the west wing… Now, I’m no genius but I’m gonna assume that if I follow the “East” arrow, I’ll get to the east wing. I guess that’s the next place to explore… so here I go!

 

{Move to Waterbath Corridor} 

 

{View of a narrow corridor, the floor is quite a lot deeper than the floor of the corridor behind it. At both extremities of the corridor, a control panel can be seen} 

 

I followed the arrow and reached… what appears to be a water bath, kinda like inside a pool before you actually get to the water… that thing to wash your feet in and such. 

 

This is kinda weird… it looks like a water bath but there isn’t actually any water on the floor. Maybe if I check out the control panel, I’ll get a clearer view… 

 

{Examine Control Panel} 

 

Luckily for me… the control panel has little instructions on it. Let’s see… 

This first lever controls the volume of water in the corridor. So I was right, this is a water bath! Guess I shouldn’t touch that just yet… I don’t want to get my feet wet. 

 

Next, the three smaller levers, labelled A, B and C activate some type of rope to pop in and out of the ceiling… that explains why that ceiling looks so weird. 

 

I assume the panels on the ceiling tilt in order to let these ropes fall down. 

 

Not quite sure what the use of these ropes could be but… oh well. Guess it’s good to know that they’re here. 

 

Finally, the last button is the SOS button. It will ring a strong alarm in both wings… Now this one’s really useful… If there ever is an emergency… this is the place to go! Then again, I hope nobody will have to call for help using this… ever. 

 

… 

 

I don’t think I’ll learn anything else about this corridor without Monokuma and god knows I don’t want to see him. 

 

It appears that this corridor is kind of a separation between the two wings… If I just continue forward I’ll reach the east wing. 

 

There’s no time to waste. 

 

{Move to East Wing} 

 

{The east wing looks almost identical to the west wing, the walls have the same red and black pattern and the doors are made of the same brown wood. The only significant difference is that the floor is made of a different material, more reminiscent of the inside of a pool. This time there are only two doors on opposite ends, labelled “Spa” and “Lounge” finally, the corridor continues eastwards towards what appears to be an indoor pool} 

 

So this is the east wing huh? Doesn’t look much different to what I’ve seen up to now… Guess I shouldn’t waste time in this hall and just get to investigating the different rooms. 

 

{Move to Lounge} 

 

{The lounge is quite a simple room, there’s a huge fridge in one corner filled with sodas and juices, most of the room is taken by one big red couch facing a panoramic window that takes up the whole far wall} 

 

This… this is actually really nice. The view from here is beautiful and… I think I’d actually quite like chilling in here in the off time… 

 

But this isn’t the time for that. I need to stay focused on my task. The day is not far from being over… 

 

{Examine Drinks Cabinet} 

 

This fridge is filled to the brim with drinks of all types… no alcohol of course but a part from that… I guess we’ve got a pretty good stock of beverages… 

 

I wonder if there’s any iced tea in there… the ones with actual tea in them… not that stupid commercial bull crap…

 

I really am starting to sound like Kenji’s description of me aren't I? 

 

Fuck.

 

{Examine Couch} 

 

This couch looks really comfortable and I mean… really really comfortable.

 

No Hayato. No napping. No… napping… 

 

Dammit… I’m so very tired… 

 

Let’s keep our eyes open and finish this investigation.

 

{Examine Panoramic Window}

 

The whole back wall of the lounge is one big window.

 

{Camera shows a view of the entire resort from the window}

 

Thanks to the positioning of this building, we can actually see the whole resort from this point.

 

It really is a beautiful view… it’s just a real shame that we’re not here for leisure isn’t it?

 

{Talk to Shinto} 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} This, my friend, is what life really should be like.

 

Hayato: What… what are you talking about?

 

Shinto: {Play with cane} Look at it! I’m here… with a cocktail in my hand with the love of my life, looking at the nicest view in the world… 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Why in god’s name shouldn’t I be happy?

 

Hayato: Well, I don’t know… because four of our friends have been brutally killed… because we’re stuck in this place under the dictature of a stuffed bear or maybe because Reijiro might die if we just sit here relaxing?

 

Shinto: {Looks down} … 

 

Hayato: Was that harsh? I’m sorry, I didn’t think before I spoke.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} No, I guess you’re right… I lost track of time in this place… I guess I have the view to blame for that.

 

Shinto: {Serious look} I should probably get back on track… there’s no time to just… enjoy the view.

 

Hayato: O-okay… thanks for taking it so well… 

 

Shinto: {Cough} Ahem, party pooper, ahem. 

 

Hayato: Did you say something?

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Me? Oh no… didn’t say a thing haha.

 

Okay then… 

 

{Talk to Yoko} 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Hey you! Did you find anything interesting?

 

Hayato: Some stuff… here and there. Did you?

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Nope, not a thing…

 

Hayato: Not a thing? Did you try at least?

 

Yoko: {Angry} Of course I tried! I just didn’t know what to look for!

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} You guys said to look for clues but like… what am I actually searching for you know!

 

Hayato: I guess that makes sense. 

 

Yoko: {Runs hand through hair} So just tell me what I’m actually looking for and I’ll find it!

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly] Or uh… at least I’ll try.

 

Yoko: So… what is it you want?

 

Hayato: Well um… I’m not quite sure exactly what we’re looking for but…

 

Yoko: {Playful} So you see! You’re just as lost as I am!

 

Hayato: Well…

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Seriously, how am I supposed to find stuff if you don’t even know what we’re looking for!?

 

Hayato: Wait… 

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} That settles it! Figure out what it is we need to find and then come to me! You got it?

 

Hayato: I… 

 

Yoko: {Happy} Perfect! I’ll be waiting for you right here on this couch! Take your time!

 

 

I don’t know what the hell just happened but I feel real dumb.

 

… 

 

Apart from how nice this room is, there won’t be anything of use here… I still have a couple of rooms to visit, I should probably leave Shinto and Yoko to whatever they’re doing… or not doing.

 

{Move to Red Building - East Wing} 

 

{Move to Spa}

 

{The Spa is the smallest room in the building, it’s more of a massage room with a bed in the centre of the room, a shelve with different massage oils and books on relaxation. In the far right corner of the room, a katana, identical to the infirmary’s, can be seen on a similar pedestal. The light in the room is subdued and incense can be seen burning. Hikari and Jessie are here} 

 

This room is by far the smallest I’ve seen so far… this should be quite quick. It obviously aims at being relaxing but… something’s off. Once, again I feel something creepy in the air… and that katana doesn’t help. 

 

{Examine Golden Katana} 

 

And I thought that seeing a sword in an infirmary was weird… but a massage room? A weapon in… a massage room? 

 

What the hell seriously… 

 

In other news, it seems to be an exact replica of the one I saw before… the same flakey looking handle… and the same golden tint. 

 

These two swords really are identical… and I’m guessing it’s no coincidence. 

 

{Examine Massage Bed} 

 

Okay just a thought but… I swear these beds they provide in massage rooms really aren’t comfortable at all. 

 

The mattress is all hard and stuff… why can’t they just let you have a normal bed? Do you have to be uncomfortable to better appreciate the massage? That’s just dumb.

 

I don’t know why… but I feel like I’m wasting my time with this line of thinking… I should probably just move on. 

 

{Examine Ventilation Grid} 

 

This ventilation grid… seems pretty normal. Once again, it’s too high up in the air to really be of use for anything fishy… 

 

Now that I think of it… first, the katana, then the grid… I feel like this room and the infirmary are pretty symmetrical… I should ask Monokuma if that’s done on purpose or not… 

 

Then again, knowing him… everything’s been planned out meticulously. If these two rooms feel similar… there’s a reason for that. 

 

{Talk to Hikari} 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Hayato: Hikari, are you okay? 

 

Hikari: {Sad} No… I’m really not… I feel so guilty. 

 

Hayato: Guilty? What for?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I was so mean to Reijiro… I acted like Kyia’s death was his fault… and now Reijiro will die if we don’t find anything. 

 

Hayato: We’re not there yet… Reijiro isn’t dead! We’ll find a solution… and you’ve apologised to him already. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I haven’t apologised to you though. 

 

Hayato: To me? 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I… shifted the blame on you too… and you didn’t deserve any of it. And I’m so… so sorry!

 

Hayato: Listen Hikari, now’s not the time to feel sorry… you need to be brave. We all do!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Be brave?

 

Hayato: We need to do our best for Reijiro… the longer we take in finding a solution, the worst it’ll get, that much is true. 

 

Hayato: So let’s have this discussion once we’ve found a way out of here… okay?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} You’re right! I’ll get us out of this Hayato! Just watch me!

 

That’s the Hikari I know!

 

God… I’m so glad I’ve got Hikari back. 

 

{Talk to Jessie} 

 

Hayato: Hey Jessie? Find anything interesting?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Привет всем! Well, I didn’t find anything really important… but I definitely found some interesting stuff.

 

Hayato: As in what?

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} This book on East Asian massages for example… most of it’s written in Nepalese but oh boy it’s a treat!

 

Will a book on Nepalese massages help us get out of this place…? I’m guessing that it won’t. 

 

Jessie: {Searches through backpack} Oh! They even talked about the “परम्परागत मालिश my favorite. 

 

Hayato: And what’s that like?

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} I can actually give you a demo, I learnt it during my travels to Kathmandu. 

 

Jessie: It starts by digging both knees in your clients back and then-

 

Aaaand I’ve heard enough to know I’m not interested… and that this really isn’t important enough. 

 

Hayato: Thanks Jessie, I’ll let you know if I need anything else. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Wait! I’m not finished. 

 

Hayato: Sorry!

 

Jessie: Hayato-kun! Get back here!

 

… 

 

I won’t learn anything else from this Spa… all I know is that this place doesn’t seem relaxing at all… and that I won’t let Jessie give me a massage ever. 

 

Time to move on. 

 

{Move to Red Building - East Wing} 

 

I’ve gone through both rooms in the east wing… time to go check out this pool I guess. 

 

{Move to Indoor pool} 

 

{The indoor pool is quite similar to the pool that’s outside. There are a few rows of sunbeds around the pool itself which is Monokuma shaped. It also features a panoramic wall and is a very luminous room despite the sun being down. Reijiro is here}

 

So this is the indoor pool… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Do not waste your time. 

 

Hayato: What? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I’ve examine every single corner of every room in this building… this swimming pool included… and I’ve found absolutely nothing of use. 

 

Hayato: Nothing… of use?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} I mean sure… some of the information I have collected will likely be useful… but there is not a single clue on how to escape the resort… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} It sadly looks like we really are stuck here. 

 

Hayato: But then… what are you going to do?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} That… that much I do not know… truth is I am tired… this day went by very fast. 

 

The day’s… already almost over? How did I not notice that the sun was down already? I’ve spent the entire day investigating… but Reijiro’s right, I don’t feel like I’ve really achieved anything of use… and that much is starting to stress me out. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} You feel the same as I do… I can see it. 

 

Hayato: No… 

 

Reijiro: You have investigated every room… and yet you do not feel fulfilled. 

 

Hayato: You know what, I should probably still give this pool a look around you know. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} As I said… you should not bothered… there is absolutely nothing of interest here. 

 

Hayato: I… I still want to take a look dammit!

 

And as I said that… 

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a bright pink pyjama, holding some a teacup in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Attention to all residents, it is 10PM and night time is now in action, as you know some areas will be off limit until the morning. Go to bed and fall in a deep deep slumber. Who knows what great murder opportunities tomorrow holds upupupu!

 

{The tv screen cuts off}

 

Hayato: The night time announcement already!?


Reijiro: {Sly grin} I told you the day was already over. 

 

Hayato: But… but… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Investigating this pool is a waste of time… I promise. You can do that in your own time.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Right now, I need you to come with me. 

 

Hayato: To come with you? Where? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Just follow me.

 

Hayato: Can’t you just answer my question?


Reijiro: {Glare} I have no answers… just come… please. 

 

… 

 

I guess I have no choice… I don’t want to anger Reijiro so… I’ll just have to come back here tomorrow. 

 

Reijiro: {Bows} Thank you… let us get going now. 

 

… 

 

{Auto-move to Restaurant} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Reijiro… you’ve brought Hayato along. Thank you for that. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} You ask and I deliver. 

 

Hayato: Can I ask what’s going on here?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} As I told you earlier… I want you to report your findings to me. Both of you. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} If we work together then maybe… just maybe we can find a way to save Reijiro. 

 

… 

 

So I told Fusume everything, from the isolation room to the golden katanas to that water corridor. I tried to cover everything I’d learnt today… Leave no page unturned… that’s what I have to do. 

 

… 

 

Once I was done, Reijiro explained his findings which in essence were very similar to mine. 

 

… 

 

Reijiro: {Bows} And… that is about it. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ggh… it cannot be. 

 

Hayato: Fusume! What’s wrong?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Both of your discoveries are very similar to mine… even if we combine all of what we’ve found together… we’re still nowhere close to finding a way out!

 

Reijiro: {Head down glasses shining} That is precisely what I was telling you earlier. 

 

Hayato: Well, surely we must have missed something… there is gotta be some clue somewhere right? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} The probabilities of that are slim… all three of us have  proved ourselves to be half decent investigators… it would be surprising to me if all of us failed to find this… “important clue”

 

Hayato: But we have to keep looking! We can’t give up! Right Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I just… don’t know anymore… what if we’re not good enough… 

 

Hayato: Fusume!? You can’t be thinking like that!

 


Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I’m sorry Hayato… I’m all out of ideas. There really is no way out of the resort.

 

Reijiro: Which means that sadly… I will not make it out of here alive… 

 

Hayato: Don’t say that Reijiro! Surely there’s something to do!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} What I shall do right now is sleep… as should we all. I think this… inconclusive day has tired the three of us. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Perhaps a good night’s rest will help us see clearer… but right now I’m hungry and tired… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I can’t do much about the hunger… so I guess all I can do is sleep. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You… you go do that Reijiro… and I’ll… I’ll find a solution! I swear I will! I won’t let you starve to death!

 

Fusume: I have to be good enough!

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} Mmph… I guess we shall see that tomorrow.

 

Hayato: Fusume…

 

 

And on that note both of them left the restaurant… 

 

I stayed there for a few minutes… speechless. 

 

Could the three of us really have missed a crucial clue…? I can’t fathom it but… it’s better that way. I can only hope that we missed it today… but we’ll find it tomorrow! 

 

There has to be a way out of this resort… no plan is faultless, no prison is without an escape… 

 

We will find a way out… 

 

We have no choice.

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

Exhausted, I put on my pyjama and jumped under the covers… 

 

This day went by faster than any day before. The pressure of finding something useful can be blamed for that… 

 

Is Fusume right? Were we not good enough? Are we missing the obvious or… is there simply nothing to find in the first place?

 

 

Despite my mind’s restlessness… it didn’t take long before I feel in a deep sleep… my last real rest before the trouble really began. 

 

The final moments of calm… before the storm. 

 

Monokuma Theater

 

Monokuma: Okay, Imma be the first to say this… but exams are just a joke. 

 

Monokuma: Let me explain myself for ya, exams are just another dumb way of categorizing people.

 

Monokuma: If you fail an exam, you’re dumb… if you ace it, congrats! You’re part of the elite of society. 

 

Monokuma: That’s actually how it works… no joke! But let’s be real for a second here. 

 

Monokuma: Exams don’t test intelligence… all they do is test short term memory… and how attentive you’ve been during the borefest classes you’ve attended. 

 

Monokuma: But being able to repeat what you’ve been told doesn’t make you smart, it just makes you a good circus animal!

 

Monokuma: You know what does prove your intellect on the other hand? Being able to get away with a murder!

 

Monokuma: A good blackened takes everything into account… and in fact, uses every aspect of his brain! Just imagine… replacing exams with killing games!

 

Monokuma: Only the smartest would survive while the idiots would kick the bucket first!

 

Monokuma: Not only do you get rid of the archaic system… but you also get rid of all the dummies!

 

Monokuma: And that my friends… is what I call hitting two birds with one stone. 

 

Notes:

One chapter in and we've already got a first motive of sorts… is it worth killing someone in order to protect Reijiro? That question will have to be answered in the next few chapters.

Talking about the next chapter, free times will start once again, that means this is your last chance to vote for the first batch of FTE right here : https://www.strawpoll.me/18221488 or in the comments as usual.

Once again, any feedback/theory/general comment is hugely appreciated, especially at the start of a new chapter.

I will be travelling a bit so my schedule might be slightly messed with but I'll try my best to get the next chapter out without too much delay.

As usual, thanks a ton for reading and see you in the next one ;)

Chapter 30: Chapter 3 : At the Mercy of our Emotions : Daily Life part 2

Notes:

Super sorry for the delay, as I said, travelling made it quite hard for me to get work done on the fic.

Anyway, we're back and shit is going down!

Free times this time around go to Fusume and Raiko,

Enjoy :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a jacuzzi, holding some sort of cocktail glass in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Gooood Morning! This is your director speaking, it’s now 8:00 AM! Look out the window, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. A perfect weather to kill wouldn’t you say?

Get ready for a spectacular day everyone!

 

 

So… I didn’t sleep well, but that much isn’t really a surprise anymore. 

 

Between this traitor business and now Reijiro starving to death… my head’s a battlefield of sorts. 

 

There’s no point in daydreaming… Fusume and Reijiro are likely waiting for me to get the discussions started… 

 

Let’s go. 

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Talk to Yoko} 

 

Yoko: {Angry} … Just come out already!

 

She’s just standing in front of Shinto’s door. 

 

Hayato: Good morning Yoko. Is Shinto not with you?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Nah, he won’t come out of his room… 

 

Hayato: He won’t come out…!? Why not?

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Shinto is terrified of bugs… he’s always been scared of them. Apparently there’s a moth on the door… and so he won’t come out. 

 

A moth? That’s what scares him?

 

Shinto: {Through the door} Yoko! Come help me!!!

 

Yoko: {Annoyed} You know damn well I can’t enter without your Resident ID! You’ve got to open the door if you want me to come in!

 

Shinto: {Through the door} I… can’t touch the door… it’s r-right there!

 

Yoko: {Angry} You big baby, it’s just a moth!

 

Shinto: {Through the door} You know that it’s so much more than that!!!

Is it…? 

 

… 

 

On second thought I should probably leave them to it, who knows how long before he musters the strength to exit his room… 

 

{Talk to Oriana}

 

Oriana: {Shy look} … 

 

Hayato: … 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} … 

 

Hayato: Uh… Oriana is everything-

 

Oriana: {Looks through camera shutter} *Click*

 

Hayato: A-AH!? What was that!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Did I s-s-scare you? S-Sorry!!!

 

Hayato: It’s fine, I was just surprised by the flash… but where did you get this camera?

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} H-Hikari uh… gave it to m-me… she said it would be u-useful in uh… getting m-my mind of th-things!

 

So it’s Hikari’s camera… that doesn’t surprise me one bit… she’s really devoted to making Oriana feel better isn’t she?

 

Hayato: Did you take any nice pictures?

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Um… for the m-moment, I’m still l-learning to u-u-use it but I know… uh… I know that i-if I try m-my best, I’ll soon be an e-expert!

 

I usually wouldn’t have expected this level of confidence from Oriana… I think Hikari’s friendship really is healthy for her.

 

Hayato: That’s good, I like hearing that you believe in yourself-

 

Oriana: {Looks through camera shutter} *Click*

 

Hayato: Wh-What was that for!?

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} You looked s-so happy… I h-had to!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Did I uh… d-d-do s-something wrong? Your e-expression’s just changed!

 

Oriana: {Cries} I’m s-s-sorryyyyyy!

 

*Sigh* I guess some things never change. 

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor} 

 

{Move to Restaurant} 

 

{Scene opens on the restaurant. As usual, the entire class but Raiko is present} 

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Good morning Hayato-kun!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Hayato! It’s nice to see you. 

 

Yoko: Come on Shinto, say hello. 

 

Shinto: {Livid} I… uh… yes… I… good… hello. 

 

Good hello to you too… I’m guessing that “moth” incident was taxing on the poor boy. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… if you would take a seat, we have some things to discuss. 

 

Hayato: R-Reijiro! How are you feeling!?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Me? Why do you ask? 

 

Hayato: Uh… y’know, this whole “you’re starving and you’ll die in a couple weeks” thing and such… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Oh that? 

 

Don’t act like it’s a minute detail you idiot!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I am fine at the moment… 24 hours without food is reasonable. The trouble will not start for me before another couple of days. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Reijiro-kun… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We’ll find a solution for you Reijiro! I swear!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Do y’all really have to be this sappy all the fucking time?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Tadao?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You know… if you don’t like it you can just leave. 

 

Tadao: {Nervous} I just wanna have breakfast… shut up. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Nah… I think you’re just too afraid of being kicked out of the group and becoming like Raiko. 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} What did you say?

 

Kenji: {Furious} You heard me damn well!

 

Tadao: {Nervous} I… 

 

Kenji: Now listen here, if you keep on acting like a little bitch I’ll personally kick your tiny ass out of the group you hear me!?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} … 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Fine… I’ll keep quiet. 

 

Wait, that worked? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} If the two of you are done bickering… we could actually get onto the important stuff. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What type of important stuff?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} She means the results of yesterday’s investigation. 

 

Oh boy… this is going to end up like our meeting last night isn’t it? 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ggh… it cannot be. 

 

Hayato: Fusume! What’s wrong?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Both of your discoveries are very similar to mine… even if we combine all of what we’ve found together… we’re still nowhere close to finding a way out!

 

Reijiro: {Head down glasses shining} That is precisely what I was telling you earlier. 

 

Hayato: Well, surely we must have missed something… there is gotta be some clue somewhere right? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} The probabilities of that are slim… all three of us have  proved ourselves to be half decent investigators… it would be surprising to me if all of us failed to find this… “important clue”

 

Hayato: But we have to keep looking! We can’t give up! Right Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I just… don’t know anymore… what if we’re not good enough… 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Reijiro, Hayato and I already shared our discoveries with each other.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Discoveries which amounted to a whole load of nothing I’m afraid… we found no way out of the resort in this new building.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Oh… n-no… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} However, as you all know… it’s imperative for us to find an escape route… or at least some way for Reijiro to escape his current predicament. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} So please… everybody, tell us what you’ve found yesterday! Surely if we put all our info together we’ll find something… anything. 

 

We all waited tensely for someone to speak up

 

… 

 

Nothing… seriously? 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Somebody, say something… please!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Uh… there are some cool movies down at the theater… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} I found a massage book… 

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} We’ve got cocktail glasses… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Hikari… g-gave me her camera… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} … 

 

Oriana: {Looks through camera shutter} *Click*

 

Hikari: {Sad} Not the time for photos Oriana… 

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaah! s-sorry!

 

Fusume: … 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… I assume that this means your respective investigations were as fruitful as ours… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Sorry bro… but you can’t really blame us for not finding anything. 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} What are you talking about?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Well y’know, it’s not like we were gonna just find a door with a big red exit sign on it… you told us to investigate, that’s cool and all but like, none of us know what the heck you wanted us to find!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

Kenji: It’s no offense to you y’know… but like you can’t be surprised that we came back empty handed from it all… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Fair enough. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Wait what? You’re agreeing with me? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes… you raise a legitimate point. I might have been unclear in my directives. 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Who are you and what have you done to Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} What are you talking about?

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Uh… forget about it.

 

I’ve got to say… I’m also surprised that Reijiro is handling the criticism so well… not so long ago he would have just dismissed Kenji.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Then… uh… p-please tell us what y-you would have us l-l-look for!

 

Fusume: {Confident} I can answer that. 

 

Shinto: Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Reijiro and I have already discussed some of the potential outcomes of our investigation… and we figured that it would be unlikely for us to find… something concrete.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} We won’t find anything concrete?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} No… Monokuma would not be sloppy to the point of giving us a way out and leaving it in the open. However… that does not mean that we cannot find anything relevant in the new building. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Uh… I’m not sure I follow man… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Essentially… we believe that there is information to be found inside the red building… 

 

Hayato: Information… what kind of information? 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} We’ve already looked everywhere for fuck’s sake! Where else do you want us to do seriously!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Information as in the information contained within the 80th class file. That is the kind we are talking about. 

 

Tadao: {Nervous} The 80th… class file?

 

Reijiro: {Opens book} By giving us access to this file, Monokuma made one thing crystal clear. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} And that is? 

 

Reijiro: {Closes book abruptly} Despite taking our memory of the past year away, he is trying to feed us information. We cannot be certain weather this information is truthful or not… but he wants us to remember certain events. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} What kind of events?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Well, Caspian’s place within our ranks and Kanna Muratagi’s murder are good examples… we would never have known about any of that if Monokuma hadn’t decided to let us know about it… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Huh… is that so?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Well yes… he gave Raiko that newspaper article and hid the file in the archives… if he hadn’t done that then we would have had no idea. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} And that means we couldn’t have solved the previous case without him… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} All that to say that Monokuma is purposefully leaving information around for us to find… that is what you should be looking for. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Information about our past huh…? And where are we supposed to find that? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Sadly, I do not have the answer to every question… it is unknown to us where this information might be… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasse shining} However, I am sure that it lies somewhere in this new building… it has to. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The more we know about our past… the more we’ll understand the situation and the more likely we’ll find a way out… that is my logic. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I guess it makes sense… let’s do our best guys!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Man… I thought we’d looked all around the place yesterday… 

 

Kôzuke: {Pumped up} But you know what screw it! Now that we know what we’re actually looking for, it’ll be that much easier!

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} यो मान्छे गरौं! If we work together we’re bound to find something! 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Phhh… guess I’ll have a look around as well… 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Even Tadao is gonna help out? I can’t believe my eyes and ears!

 

Tadao: {Nervous} H-hey! Shut up bitch!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} That’s more like it… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Either way, I’ll take a look in the archives… maybe there’s more information there! 

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} And I’ll check out the medical files in the infirmary! There’s gotta be something in there right!?

 

Fusume: {Happy} These all sound like wonderful ideas everyone… do not hesitate to check back with us once you’re finished!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Sound good sis… let’s do it guys!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Good luck. 

 

… 

 

Huh… that went surprisingly well. 

 

{Everyone but Reijiro and Tadao leaves the restaurant} 

 

Reijiro: {Points at Hayato} You.

 

Hayato: M-Me? 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Would you be so kind as to meet us in the Spa at lunch. 

 

Hayato: At the spa? Why… what’s going on?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} You’ll see. 

 

Without another word, Reijiro started walking away… but once he was almost out of earshot, I heard him mutter something under his breath.  

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It’s almost like… they’ve all forgotten… 

 

Reijiro: {Sad} They forgot  that my life’s on the line… 

 

Reijiro: {Leaves} 

 

I… I’d never seen him look this distraught. I guess this fasting thing is really starting to get to him isn’t it…? Maybe I should talk to Fusume about it later. 

 

And what’s about this Spa thing… he said meet “us” so I’m assuming she will also be there… I guess there’s a reason for this. I shouldn’t forget to join them at lunch. 

 

… 

 

W-Wait a second, Tadao… he’s still here. This could finally be my chance to talk to him alone after what happened two trials ago… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} And what about before 3:00 Hayato? Who were you with?

 

Before 3:00? The presumed time of the meeting… Wait, I was alone in the cafeteria at the time… Damn this won’t sound good… Nobody will back me up on my alibi!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Before 3:00 well I was-

 

Tadao: {Looks up} He was with me… in the cafeteria.

 

Tadao…? He… he wasn’t with me at the time! What is he doing?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Is that so?

 

Tadao: {Points at armband} Ask the eye… we both waited in the cafeteria for the ballerina to arrive. This is nothing but the truth.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

I still fail to understand why he lied to protect me… especially now that we know about his true personality… 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Hey, the fuck are you staring at!?

 

Exhibit A… 

 

… 

 

I’ll have to talk to him about it eventually… so might as well do it now. 

 

{Talk to Tadao} 

 

Here goes nothing… 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} What do you want!?

 

Hayato: Hey, uh… I just wanted to ask you something. 

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} You need something from me huh? Cmon let’s hear it!

 

He’s not gonna make this pleasant is he?

 

Hayato: Well you know, I wanted to ask you why you lied for me in that first trial… 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Lied for you? That’s not how I remember it at all!

 

Hayato: Then… how?

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} There’s something you need to get through that ugly little head of yours… everything I do is for myself alright!?

 

Hayato: B-But… what did you have to gain from defending me…? I seriously don’t get it 

 

Tadao: {Points at hair band} Simple, back then I thought that you were the smartest around and that you’d probably solve the case. 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} If the gang started suspecting ya, we’d end up losing time and we woulda risked outright losing that trial… 

 

Tadao: {Amused} It was also obvious that you hadn’t done it… a pussy like you couldn’t have killed someone… 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} That means I wasn’t gonna let myself die because your sorry ass couldn’t defend yourself properly back then… 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Turns out I was wrong! You’re not smart, you’re a fucking dumbass like the rest of them… 

 

Hayato: Wait a second-

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Nah, I won’t waste more of my time with ya, you asked a question, I answered it.

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Now, leave me the fuck alone yeah?

 

Hayato: No, I’m not done asking-

 

Tadao: {Heinous} That’s it, I’m gonna kick your ass all the way back to thailand where these shoes were designed!

 

Hayato: That’s… a very specific threat. 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Watch me.

 

He started walking towards me with a threatening look on his face. 

 

He might be half a foot shorter than me… but I should probably flee for now… 

 

Hayato: Okay, I’m leaving… you can stop now. 

 

Tadao: {Amused} That’s right pussy, get the fuck out of here!

 

So much for getting answers… I really don’t know what to understand from what he just told me… 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

Reijiro and Fusume are expecting us to continue our investigation… there’s no point in me just staying in my room all day. 

 

I should find something to do. 

 

{Free Time starts} 

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Red Building - Entrance} 

 

{Move to Red Building - West Wing} 

 

{Move to Red Building - Cinema} 

 

{Fusume and Kôzuke are standing in different corners of the room}  

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume: {Happy} Good morning Hayato, I am trying to determine if there is some kind of clue in these film shelves… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I haven’t been too successful so far. 

 

Do I want to spend time with Fusume? 

 

{Yes/No} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} You’re right, we’ll be more efficient if we work together… tell me if you find anything!

 

… 

 

I spent the morning investigating the cinema with Fusume. She was adamant on finding some sort of trend in the movie selection but we found nothing of the sort. After a few hours of brain racking, we finally decided to take a break on the cosy red chairs.

 

I think we got a bit closer

 

… 

 

Fusume: {Dozing off} … 

 

Hayato: Fusume… please tell me you’ve been sleeping better. 

 

I still remember our previous conversation… Fusume stayed up every single night to guard the hallway in front of our rooms. That was obviously a very caring thing to do but it ended up having bad effects on her daily life… namely falling asleep at the worst possible times. 

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Believe it or not but I’ve actually been taking your advice into consideration

 

Hayato: Y-You have? 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Indeed… I think you might have had a point, staying up all night ended up doing me more harm than helping the group. 

 

Hayato: Your intentions are noble… but you’re also a part of the group… we can’t have you be unwell for our sake. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I understand that… and I also understand the risks I was taking by waiting outside my room… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} There really is no need to repeat yourself. 

 

Fusume: {Happy} In fact I spent the entire night in my bed last night! 

 

She spent the entire night… that’s an odd way to phrase it isn’t it? 

 

Hayato: You say you spent the night in bed… but does that mean that you slept through it all?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ngh… you… 

 

Did I say something that I shouldn’t have?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You saw right through me didn’t you?

 

Wow… was I perceptive for once?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I haven’t been able to sleep… at all. 

 

Hayato: And why is that… has something been keeping you up?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Yes… yes… it was… 

 

She looks so pained… what could have kept her from sleeping like that? I think I might have an idea. 

 

Hayato: Could it have been… this that has been keeping you awake? 

 

    1. Stomach cramps
    2. Jet lag
    3. Nightmares

 

 

Hayato: You’ve been having nightmares… right? 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} How… how did you figure that out!?

 

Hayato: Intuition, I guess… now tell me what your nightmares were about. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I… I don’t want to talk about it. 

 

Why is she closing herself off to me like that? Surely if would help her to talk to someone… 

 

Hayato: Listen Fusume, you don’t have to tell me… but I know from experience that talking about it helps. 

 

Hayato: So if you ever feel the need to get off your chest… you can count on me. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} They’re all… about that one mission. 

 

Huh?

 

Fusume: {Livid} That mission… will never cease to haunt me. 

 

Hayato: A mission? What sort of mission are you talking about?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ninjas operate in groups of three… my squad and I were sent on a rescue mission… about 6 months before I joined Hope’s Peak

 

Hayato: A rescue mission?

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} It was supposed to be a routine mission… on the outskirts of Osaka… 

 

Fusume: {Livid} there was no risk… it was just routine… just… just… 

 

She’s opening up to me… finally!

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I… I… 

 

Hayato: Fusume! Tell me what happened!

 

Fusume: {Livid} I can’t… I can’t… 

 

We’re so close… 

 

Fusume: {Livid} I couldn’t… 

 

Hayato: You couldn’t… what?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I couldn’t protect…

 

Hayato: Protect whom?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s… that’s enough!

 

Hayato: What?

 

Fusume: {Confident} You think I can’t see what you’re doing!?

 

Hayato: What are you even talking about?

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} You’re trying to get me to unveil my weaknesses so you can better betray me later!

 

Hayato: What!??? N-No, I’m just trying to help!

 

Hayato: You don’t think I could be capable of betrayed you right?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I d-don’t know anymore… I… I just need some time.

 

Hayato: No Fusume, wait.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m sorry Hayato… p-please understand.  

 

Fusume: {Bows} I’ll… I’ll see you later. {Leaves} 

 

Well… that went rather unsuccessfully… hopefully I’ll get a chance to finish that conversation sooner rather than later. 

 

I really want to help her… I hope, she’ll open up… eventually. 

 

Just what happened during that mission?

 

Either way, I think I understand Fusume a bit better

 

{Fusume’s report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

Left alone, I decided to go back to my room… investigating the cinema really was a waste of time. 

 

… 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

It’s just about lunch time… that means my meeting with Reijiro is fast approaching… it’s probably better for the both of us if I don’t make him wait. 

 

God know how insufferable he’ll be if I do… 

 

… 

 

To the Spa we go. 

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Red Building - Entrance}

 

{Move to Red Building - East Wing} 

 

{Move to Spa} 

 

{Scene opens on the Spa, it looks identical to the last time we came here, Fusume and Reijiro are here} 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Huh, look who made it on time for once!

 

Guess I was wrong, he can be insufferable even when I do what he asked. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Thank you for joining us Hayato… please lock the door. 

 

Lock the door?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I’m sure you’ll understand… we do not want anyone disturbing our little meeting. 

 

Hayato: Fair enough… I’ll lock it if that’s what you want. 

 

Fusume: {Happy} Thank you. 

 

… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I guess we do owe you some explanations… when it comes to this meeting. 

 

Hayato: Yeah, if you could that’d be neat… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Firstly, when it comes to the choice of the location… you might be confused as why we chose the spa.

 

Hayato: Uh uh. can’t say that I understand. 

 

Reijiro: {Opens book}  There are two aspects of this room that make it ideal for this sort of gathering. 

 

{Close up on the door of the Spa} 

 

Reijiro: As you have just witnessed, the door can be locked from the inside which is, of course, quite practical in order to keep intruders away. 

 

Hayato: Sure… but it’s not the only room in the resort that can be locked!

 

Reijiro: This is where the second aspect comes into play… I am sure you have noticed the small window on the door.

 

Small window…?

 

Hayato: Y-Yeah… of c-course, I’d definitely noticed it haha… 

 

Fusume: You’re still not a very convincing liar Hayato… 

 

Dammit!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The window on the door enables us to see if anybody is eavesdropping on the conversation. This would be impossible in any other room. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} In short, despite appearances, the spa is the best place to have a private conversation… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Much like the conversation we will have right now. 

 

Hm… I see… 

 

Hayato: So tell me, what did you want to talk about? 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Who else… but Raiko. 

 

Hayato: R-Raiko?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Indeed, it is imperative that we find a way to deal with that girl… we cannot let her act freely any longer… not after what she did. 

 

I do remember… that Fusume told me about this, and that was long before her involvement in Rina’s murder. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: Either way, know that you have earned my respect. I now consider you a person of trust. This is why you should know that…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We have to do something about Raiko.

 

Hayato: What?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I was thinking of telling Reijiro about my opinion on this matter, one thing is for sure: we cannot let Raiko walk freely among us after what she said last night.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

She was already worried back then… and that was before her involvement in the second case. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} But then… if Monokuma didn’t write that letter then… who the fuck did? 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Who do you think?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} R-Raiko…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No way… would you ever stoop so low… 

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} I told you I made sure a murder would happen…  I just didn’t tell you how I’d do it hehehehe… 

 

Raiko: {Hysterical} Kyehehehehehehehehe!

 

Raiko: I knew that kidnapping Oriana wouldn’t be enough… I had to create pressure… and so I did just that! Turns out it worked out okay for me!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Yoshi got executed for the murder… but really it all happened because of Raiko. If she hadn’t pushed him to do it then both him and Rina would still be alive. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I believe there is no need to explain why the girl must be dealt with… right?

 

Hayato: When you say dealt with… you don’t mean… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We are obviously not considering murder… that would make us no better than she is. 

 

Hayato: Then what do you propose?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Well, this is what we came here to discuss.

 

Reijiro: {Head down, glasses shining} Just how are we going to deal with her?

 

Hayato: Uh… I mean, this isn’t really my area of expertise you know… I don’t know how much help I can be. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It isn’t any of ours either… and yet we will need to work together in order to get out of this alive… we have no choice Hayato. 

 

Hayato: Hm, then, do you guys have any initial ideas… to start off the brainstorm and such?

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Raiko is a very cunning person… she has shown throughout both trials her ability to improvise and to manipulate people… it won’t be easy to get her under control. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down, glasses shining} And yet, there seems to be a very simple way to do so. 

 

A… simple way?

 

Hayato: Reijiro, what are you talking about? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I assume… that you’ve visited the isolation room. 

 

Hayato: The… the isolation room?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} N-No… Reijiro, you can’t possibly be suggesting.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I am only stating the facts, if we really wanted to, we could have an easy way to contain… this threat. 

 

Hayato: You want us… to tie Raiko down in that chair?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I will repeat myself… because I believe you do not understand.

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} I did not say that this was the best solution, I am simply stating that the solution exists… and we cannot dismiss it simply because it’s unethical!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} At the end of the day, I believe that-

 

Fusume: {Angry} It’s not only unethical, it’s barbaric dammit! 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I was not finished-

 

Fusume: {Dark look} This chair was made for torture… for humiliation… and I will not accept us using it! 

 

Reijiro {Step back, distraught} I was solely letting you know of the possibility… I did not mean… 

 

Fusume: {Angry} I know you Reijiro! And I know perfectly well that you’d have no problem in using that chair Reijiro… but I won’t allow it! I won’t! Ever! 

 

Reijiro: {Pinches bridge of his nose} I… did not mean that… I… I…

 

Hayato: Reijiro, are… are you okay?

 

Reijiro: {Pale, worried expression} Give me… just a moment. 

 

What’s… going on with him?

 

Fusume: What’s happening…? Reijiro, what is up with you?

 

Reijiro: {Pale, worried expression} What… is up with me…?

 

… 

 

Reijiro {Glare} What’s up with me!? What’s up is that I am starving away while you accuse me of wanting to torture that girl… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Which of course I would never support. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} But you said-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I know perfectly well what I said… what I also know is that you know nothing about me Fusume… I… 

 

Reijiro: {Pale, worried expression} I must say that I am disappointed… 

 

Fusume: Wait a second-

 

Reijiro: {Pinches bridge of his nose} That is quite enough… I need to rest. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} You have made it perfectly clear that my input is not required in this meeting… I will therefore go back to my room. 

 

Reijiro: {Pale, worried expression} Do come back to me once you have reached a decision… we still have a problem to fix. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Reijiro… please stay with us. 

 

Reijiro: {Sad} … {Smug} I must rest. Farewell {Leaves} 

 

Aaaaaand… that went about as bad as it could have. I thought the three of us were above these petty arguments… but it looks like I was wrong. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I went too hard on him… I acted like a heartless bitch right?

 

Hayato: I… I wouldn’t go so far. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} No… you can go this far. I… didn’t take his feelings into account… and I got mad so fast… even though he didn’t really say anything wrong. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m on edge… I think we all are with this Raiko situation and with these murders we’ve had to live with. 

 

Fusume: Reijiro’s weak already… 24 hours without food isn’t trivial. We can’t expect him to be at the top of his game… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} But he should expect me to be understanding… which I wasn’t. 

 

Hayato: It’s… it’s okay Fusume. You should go and apologise to him later and it’ll be fine. 

 

Hayato: I’m sure Reijiro isn’t the type to hold grudges… 

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} He isn’t the type…? Have you met the guy? 

 

Okay… maybe that wasn’t the right thing to say. 

 

Hayato: Well you know… I’m sure it’ll be okay once he feels a bit better. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You do realise… that for him to feel better he needs to eat and for him to eat… somebody else has to die!

 

Hayato: Uh… yeah so maybe I didn’t fully think it through but… the takeaway is that he won’t be mad at you his entire life!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m such an idiot… such a stupid… stupid idiot. 

 

Hayato: N-No, don’t say that. 

 

Fusume: {Covering face with hands} Idiot, idiot, idiot, idiot… 

 

Okay so… she’s kind of going insane… I need to change the conversation or we’re not gonna get anywhere. 

 

Hayato: So… maybe we should finish that conversation on Raiko… since it kind of got interrupted. 

 

Fusume: Idiot, idiot, idiot… I… oh… maybe you’re the idiot after all Hayato. 

 

Hayato: S-Sorry?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Don’t you get it… there is no real solution. We wouldn’t have had this conversation with you if there actually was a solution!

 

Hayato: Wait… you’re saying, you wouldn’t have come to me if you’d already figured what to do?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Isn’t that obvious? Reijiro and I have been discussing this for some time now. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Raiko is smart… she’s avoiding the group because she knows what will happen if she comes to us. 

 

Hayato: And… that is what exactly?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We… we’d find a way to contain her. 

 

Contain… her?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} The isolation room… I’ve thought about it, I’m sure you did too. It’s the easy way out… but it won’t do… we can’t do such a thing to a classmate. 

 

Hayato: Yeah, I guess that I agree… but then what? 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} For the moment… I do not know… as I said… there is no real solution… and with Reijiro gone we won’t get anywhere. 

 

If you’re looking for me, I’ll be in the corner crying at how useless she’s making me feel. 

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} I guess that for the moment… the only thing we can do is try to monitor her actions. 

 

Hayato: Monitor?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes. Her isolation from the group has made it that much easier for her to scheme… if we try to keep an eye on her during the day then perhaps we can avoid… another tragedy. 

 

Hayato: Okay… I guess we could do that. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} At least until I can talk to Reijiro… this seems to be the most fitting plan of action. As painful as it will likely be… we need to try to spend time with her… the less time she’s by herself the better. 

 

Hayato: And you really think she won’t notice what we’re doing. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Truth is that she probably will notice… but we have no other choice for the moment… until we think of a better plan. 

 

Hayato: Okay well… I guess I can try to check up on her this afternoon… 

 

Fusume: {Content} Great! That would be very useful-

 

Hayato: What about you, what will you do?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I will go apologise to Reijiro if I find him. He shouldn’t be left alone at such a time. 

 

Hayato: Hm… you do that. I guess we’ll report to each other this evening then. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes that seems like a good idea… we both have a lot on our plates. 

 

A lot on our plates? I’m gonna have to spend time with our resident psychopath while you’re gonna hang out with your obvious crush… talk about equality. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… please take this mission seriously. Raiko is not to be taken lightly… your monitoring of her actions could be crucial in keeping us all alive. 

 

Hayato: Don’t worry about me… I won’t let you down. 

 

Fusume: {Content} Good… I trust you Hayato, truly. 

 

Hayato: Soooo… it’s a mission then, I’m guessing that means I’m basically good enough to become a ninja like you right?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I don’t think you want to experience the training of a ninja… or perhaps you’d like to show me 100 pushups as a starter.

 

Hayato: You know what… I think I’m good with just being an author. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} … 

 

Hayato: B-Books… I love books… and w-writing… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Go. You should go get lunch before your… assignment. 

 

She purposefully didn’t call it a mission huh?

 

Hayato: Okay, guess I’ll be on my way… come see me if anything happens. 

 

Fusume: {Happy} Likewise. 

 

Hayato: I’ll see you around then. 

 

Fusume: {Bows} Farewell, Hayato. 

 

Fusume moved over to let me get to the door but as I turned my back to her, I heard… 

 

*Bonk*

 

{Fusume is seen sitting on the floor, holding her head, we can see a metallic railing next to the far wall. 

 

Hayato: Fusume! Are you okay? 

 

Fusume: A-Ah… dammit , it’s the second time I hit my head on this stupid railing already. 

 

Fusume: Why… why was it built this low…? With this thing around, anybody over 1m75 risks hitting their head if they’re not careful… 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: Well, maybe you should try crouching next time.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Oh… thank you master Hayato, for your words of wisdom. 

 

Hayato: I don’t like the way you’re looking at me Fusume… okay, you know what I’m just gonna get going. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} Out of my sight! NOW!

 

I’m out! I’m out! No way, I’m staying to face her anger. Time to get the hell out of here. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

I didn’t have much time for lunch… my eating schedule is fucked by now either way… guess I’ll have to catch up at dinner… 

 

On a more important topic, I sure hope Fusume and Reijiro won’t stay pissed at each other for long… I need their help, especially in a time like this… and I believe Reijiro needs us too. 

 

They’re right, we need to handle the “Raiko” situation asap… we can’t just sit around while she plans her next move… If we let her have her way, she’ll have us all killed. 

 

Fusume and Reijiro will likely be talking meaning I can’t bother them… On the other hand, the rest of the group will be investigating for the clues Monokuma left for us somewhere in this building… I guess they’ll also be quite busy. 

 

… 

 

Well, fuck me… this doesn't leave me with much of a choice as far as free time goes does it? 

 

{Free Time starts} 

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Red Building - Entrance} 

 

{Move to Red Building - West Wing} 

 

{Move to Red Building - Isolation Room} 

 

{The room is identical to what it looked like yesterday, the lights are dimmed and the chair is still the only real piece of furniture in the room, Raiko is here} 

 

{Talk to Raiko} 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Huh… what are you doing here? I thought you guys were going to stay away from me or whatever… 

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Are you not afraid of death pretty boy?

 

Ugh… I know Fusume said I had to keep an eye on Raiko… but do I really wanna spend my free time with her? 

 

{Yes/No} 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} How intriguing… perhaps I’ve misjudged you Hayato… good on you, you appear to have more balls than the average joe. 

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} You and I will have fun together…  

 

… 

 

I spent the afternoon with Raiko. There was a lot of awkward silence… which judging by her face she was not bothered by. When we were talking, it was about her past life and her whole “scheming” history. I obviously didn’t mention the murders… for obvious reasons. 

 

As far as I hate to say it… I think Raiko and I got a bit closer. 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} … 

 

Hayato: … 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Come on Hayato… are you really not going to talk to me?

 

Hayato: Wh-What do you mean?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} I’ve been making conversation this entire time… I get that you’re scared of me… but why come hang with me if it’s just to stay silent like that?

 

Hayato: Well… it’s not like we always have to be talking you know… we can just sit in silence… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Uh huh… 

 

Hayato: I… guess I just enjoy your company.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} So… that’s a complete lie. 

 

Yup. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Mhm… whatever, do what you want. I don’t care. 

 

Hayato: Hey, also… I’m not scared of you! What are you talking about?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Come on now! Don’t play dumb with me. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You have every reason to be scared of me… my talent… the way I’ve acted with you all… the things I’ve done… it’d be foolish not to be at least partially scared of me. 

 

Hayato: Well… I guess I do know that I’ve got to be careful around you… but that doesn’t mean I’m scared… we’re classmates after all. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Classmates huh…? That’s funny. 

 

Hayato: It… it is? How so? 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You asked how I got started in this whole scheming business… well it all began in middle school… because of my classmates.

 

Hayato: In middle school? B-But… you were so young weren't you?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Age doesn’t matter… my talent was always there… but it’s thanks to the others that I started putting it to good use. 

 

Hayato: What… what are you talking about? 

 

{Flashback} 

 

{Scene is set in a classroom, a teacher is seen talking to a class of middle schoolers. Every student appears as a dark silhouette, except for a younger version of Raiko in the last row}

 

Teacher: Very well class, as you know, two of your colleagues have spent the last few days in the director’s office after their involvement in the cafeteria fire of last tuesday.

 

Teacher: I am formally announcing that Jotaro and Kakuei have been proved to be the guilty parties in this incident and have therefore been expelled with immediate notice.

 

Teacher: May that serve as a lesson to anyone here who feels like being a troublemaker… that’s it, you’re dismissed. 

 

… 

 

Student #1: Jotaro and Kakuei… they’re the ones who were bullying that girl right? 

 

Student #2: Yeah… it can’t be a coincidence that they both got caught right after stealing her lunch money… 

 

Student #3: Wait a second, I was playing soccer with both of them last tuesday! There’s no way they could have been at the cafeteria… 

 

Student #1: Raiko on the other hand has no alibi… you think she’s behind all this?

 

Student #4: Guys! The teacher said they had been “proved guilty”, you really think she could have manipulated the whole situation to put the blame on her?

 

Student #2: It wouldn’t surprise me… knowing that creep.

 

Student #1: We… we should probably be careful around her from now on, let’s not mess with her!

 

{In the background, Raiko is seen listening in to the conversation}

 

Raiko: Hehehehehehehehe… kyehehehehehe!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} ”Be careful around her”, you used the exact same phrasing… isn’t that funny?

 

Hayato: Y-Yeah, totally… Wait, you set your middle school on fire, just to get back at some bullies?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Believe it or not, I didn’t have any friends back then… easy target for the bullies. 

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} And so, if I wasn’t gonna have people to protect me from the bullies… I was gonna show the world what happened when you fucked with me.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Ideally, these two bozos would have been caught in the fire… but shifting the blame on them was pretty ideal. No one in the direction ever suspected a thing from me. 

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} And from that day onwards I realised how easy it was to manipulate people! Also… I guess it was an added benefit to have everybody else afraid of me. 

 

Well… I am so much more terrified of her now than I was before. 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} So yes… be afraid of me. That simply means that you’re going to leave me alone.

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} It’s better… for everyone if I’m left alone. 

 

Hayato: Wh-what are you talking about?

 

… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} That’s enough. You got what you wanted out of me didn’t you?

 

Hayato: What!?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Come on… do you really think I’m dumb enough not to realise what you’re doing here?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You were probably sent here to monitor me or get some sort of information from me… am I wrong?

 

She… she saw right through me!

 

Raiko: I played along… mostly because I was bored… but that’s quite enough of that. Please leave. 

 

Hayato: No, you got it wrong. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I won’t say it nicely again Hayato… get out of my face. Now!

 

Hayato: O-Okay… I’ll see you around.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} No you won’t.

 

Hayato: N-Nice, see you later!

 

… 

 

Well… even though I didn’t have much of a choice in hanging out with Raiko, it was actually pretty interesting to learn about her backstory… I wouldn’t have thought that she starting doing what she does out of self defense… Still, that’s about as much Raiko as I can take for a while, so I think we’re going to call it a day. 

 

I understand her a bit better

 

{Raiko’s report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

I promptly left the isolation room and went back to my room. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

I guess I still have a little bit of time before dinner. It will be my opportunity to report on my little Raiko getaway to the rest of the gang. 

 

Thinking about it, I think a gang of me, Fusume and Reijiro would probably last a day before implosion and bloodshed… let’s just stay friends for now. 

 

… 

 

*Knock Knock*

 

And that’s the door… it’s time for dinner either way so I should probably go check who’s knocking before heading out. 

 

Two birds with one stone right?

 

{Examine Door} 

 

I opened the door and saw… 

 

Fusume: {Bows} Good evening Hayato. I was hoping we could talk on our way to dinner. 

 

Hayato: O-Oh… yeah sure! let me just grab my coat and I’ll be right here. 

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Why do you wear a coat and a scarf when it’s 25°C outside? 

 

Hayato: Uh… I don’t know… I’ve never really asked myself that question… and either way, I don’t really have any other clothes here… Monokuma only provided me with multiple versions of this exact outfit. 

 

Style over comfort Fusume, style over comfort. 

 

Fusume: Whatever… 

 

Hayato: Alright, I’m ready let’s go. 

 

Fusume: {Content} Yes… let’s. 

 

{Auto-move to Room Hallway} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Very well, do you want to fill me in with your Raiko assignment. 

 

Hayato: Let me tell you the mission went just fine… she doesn’t seem to be plotting anything at the moment… at least that I could tell. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And tell me, what did you do with her during this… assignment. 

 

Hayato: During the mission? Well-

 

Fusume: {Pulls out kunai} That’s enough!

 

Hayato: Y-Yeah… uh we just talked… nothing too interesting. 

 

Hayato : 0 - Rest of the world : 1

 

Fusume: {Confident} We can’t be certain of the state of her scheming… but it is reassuring that you spent the afternoon with her… she cannot act freely if somebody is always with her. 

 

Hayato: Always with her? Are we saying that we’re doing this again tomorrow?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No, you’re doing this again. 

 

Hayato: Why me?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Because I said so.

 

Hayato: Hey! Th-That’s not fair at all! And anyway she kinda blew my cover. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Wh-What!??

 

Hayato: Yeah… she said that she wasn’t dumb and that she knew that I wouldn’t hang out with her without a reason… seeing how we’ve all been avoiding her for the past few days… 

 

Hayato: She basically knows that we’re doing something… so yeah, that is a slight problem. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} A slight problem?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Why didn’t you start by telling me that!?

 

Hayato: I always start with the good news!

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Y-You… you idiot!

 

Hayato: It’s not that big of a deal you know, even if she knows that we’re not staying with her out of sympathy, we can still monitor her actions

 

Fusume: {Confident} However, it will not work as well if she is aware of said monitoring!

 

Hayato: Yeah well… it’s not like she wasn’t going to notice that we were spying on her… to be honest it was a little bit obvious. Still, she can’t just run away from me. The plan isn’t to make her happy with my presence… it’s to prevent another murder… and we’ll do just that!

 

Fusume: {Content} Yes… I believe you are right. We can continue with this… mission. 

 

Hayato: Yay-

 

Fusume: {Dark look} As long as Reijiro approves it… he also has a say in the decisions. 

 

Hayato: R-Reijiro? Does that mean that you had a chance to talk to him?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Correct.

 

Well, that’s probably something I want to hear more about… I should ask her about it. 

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Hayato: Tell me more, how did your conversation with Reijiro go. 

 

Fusume: {Happy} Surprisingly enough, it went without a hitch. I went to his room and I apologised… 

 

Hayato: And he accepted your apologies?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes, he said that he understood my worries and that he was also sorry for being jumpy… I imagine that him fasting is largely responsible for that. 

 

Hayato: Wait… Reijiro said sorry?

 

Fusume: {Happy} I told you her was changing!

 

Damn right he is… it’s only been about a week since we got here… but I can definitely tell that Reijiro is trying to be better… talk about a surprising change of character. 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Anyway, he said that he wanted to finish tonight he discussion we started at noon. I think he is feeling a bit better now that he rested. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Even though the more time goes the worse he’ll feel. We’re on the clock here 

 

Hayato: Alright, well… let’s not waste time, we should go get him!

 

Fusume: {Confident} You’re right… we should speed up. We agreed to meet in the restaurant. 

 

The restaurant? That’s not the greatest idea… starving wise. 

 

Hayato: Alright, let’s get going!

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

… 

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

Hayato: What the heck was that? It’s not night time yet is it?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No… it’s only 8:30… and this isn’t like the usual announcement at all. Monokuma didn’t say a word. 

 

Hayato: Maybe it’s just like… a glitch… or he pressed the wrong button or something. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} That doesn’t sound like Monokuma at all… something is wrong here. 

 

And just then, almost on cue to what Fusume just said… 

 

???: Somebody help!

 

Hayato: Who… who the hell-

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It sounded like… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} O-Oh, it’s you guys! Come and help me! PLEASE!

 

What… what the hell is going on?

 

Fusume: {Pulls out kunai} Kôzuke! What happened? Tell us! Quick!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} Argh, it still smells like puke in here man!

 

Hayato: Kôzuke! Concentrate!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} S-Sorry… it’s Kenji… Yoko and Tadao. 

 

That… sounds like an unusual collection of people. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} What… what about them?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} They were talking in the caf… and then… they said they were going to “take things into their own hands”!

 

Hayato: Take things… into their own hands? What does that mean?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I… I don’t know man! I’m just worried of what they could be doing!

 

That can’t be good… what the hell are they planning?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} All I know is that they went to the isolation room!

 

Hayato: The isolation room!!? Oh no… could it be…?

 

They haven’t… done what I think they did did they?

 

Hayato: Fusume! We need to hurry to the isolation room! Reijiro can wait!

 

Fusume: *Cough* *Cough*

 

Hayato: Uh… Fusume, you okay?

 

Fusume: *Cough* *Cough* *Cough* *Cough*

 

Hayato: Fusume!

 

Fusume: S-Sorry… I’m having a bad- *Cough* *Cough*

 

Hayato: Ugh, we have no time… you can cough while running. Come with me. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What about me?

 

Hayato: You can uh… gather the rest of the group, get them to come to the isolation room!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Okay I can do that man! You can count on me! {Leaves} 

 

Fusume: *Cough* *Cough*

 

Hayato: We’re going. Now!

 

I grabbed Fusume’s arm and ran all the way to the Red Building’s isolation room. 

 

{Auto-Move to Isolation Room} 

 

We arrived in a hurry, hoping for the best but the scene that was waiting for us… ended up being exactly what we were dreading. 

 

{Image of Yoko, Kenji and Tadao huddled in the middle of the room, Raiko’s legs are scene dangling close to the floor, the chair itself is blocked by the group} 

 

Raiko: You can’t do this! Stop it now!

 

Kenji: We can do whatever the fuck we want bitch!

 

Tadao: I told you you’d pay for trying to kill me!

 

Yoko: This best for the group! Please just let it happen!

 

Raiko: NO! LET ME GO!

 

Hayato: G-Guys, what the hell are you doing?

 

*Click*

 

What… what was that?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Kenji: {Furious} IT’S TOO LATE NOW! WE CAN’T GO BACK!

 

Hayato: Wh-What?

 

{Close-up on Raiko, she is completely tied to the restraint chair, the big metallic clamps are now closed on her arms, leg, and neck} 

 

Raiko: {In chair, horrified expression} Get me out of here! Let me out, let me out!

 

Tadao: {Amused} Aw, looks like you haven’t been paying attention Little Miss Creepy? Once you’re in the chair… {Devilish smile} You’re not getting out of it!

 

Raiko: {In chair, horrified expression} What!? What does that mean? Tell me that he’s lying!

 

Hayato: I’m… I’m afraid that he’s not… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Once somebody sits on the chair and the activation button situated behind the backrest is pressed… the clamps will lock and the poor chap sitting will be stuck there. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Trust me when I say this… there’s absolutely no way out of this chair once you’re in it!

 

Hayato: N-No way out? Surely you could just press the button again right?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Oh no… that would be too simple… once the button has been pressed, it’s pretty much useless. 

 

Hayato: Then… how the hell do you get out of it?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Well, in theory you don’t…

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

The only way out of that chair is to cut the electricity in the entire building… and Monokuma said that he wouldn’t like it if we did that! 

 

Hayato: I… I don’t think it’s possible. The chair is designed to be impossible to get out of. 

 

Raiko: {In chair, bites lip} It… can’t be. 

 

Hayato: Fusume… can you think of something? 

 

Fusume: … 

 

Hayato: Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Interlocked fingers, happy expression} That sounds great guys, well done!

 

Hayato: Wait… WHAT!?

 

Raiko: {In chair, angry} You… what are you saying?

 

Fusume: {Interlocked fingers, happy expression} It seems like such a great initiative you know! I’m so proud of you guys! 

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Huh… I thought you were gonna be pissed at us

 

Hayato: Fusume what the hell are you saying?

 

Fusume: {Jumping up and down} I don’t know! I just feel so excited! I’m so happy we’re working together as a team! I feel like such a proud mom!

 

Kenji: {Furious} FUCK YOU! DON’T YOU PATRONISE US LIKE THAT!

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Big guy… what’s up with you? She’s agreeing with us. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} HOW DARE YOU FUCKING SPEAK TO ME LIKE THAT! FUCK YOU TOO!

 

Yoko: {Accustatory} Hey don’t talk to me like that!

 

Fusume: {Interlocked fingers, happy expression} Yes guys! Use your words! express yourselves, I like it!

 

Raiko: {In chair, bites lip} What the hell is going on with her?

 

… 

 

Something’s wrong… something’s very wrong. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: *Cough* *Cough*

 

Hayato: Uh… Fusume, you okay?

 

Fusume: *Cough* *Cough* *Cough* *Cough*

 

Hayato: Fusume!

 

Fusume: S-Sorry… I’m having a bad- *Cough* *Cough*

 

Hayato: Ugh, we have no time… you can cough while running. Come with me. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

First that weird cough and now the way she’s acting. It’s like she’s a different person. Could this be Monokuma-

 

Kenji: {Furious} HEY YOU!

 

Hayato: Me?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} STOP THINKING SO LOUD, I’M GONNA BEAT YOU UP!

 

Yeah… I think the way Kenji is acting is also pretty unnatural. 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} So uh… is it me or did Tarzan and Ninjago both go a little bit bonkers. 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} So it’s not just me… there is something weird in the way they’re acting. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} I’LL SHOW YOU SOMETHING WEIRD WHEN I PUT MY FIST IN YOUR ASS!

 

Fusume: {Jumping up and down} What an interesting analogy! I love it!

 

Hayato: Fusume! Get yourself under control! What’s happening to you. 

 

Fusume: {Happy} Nothing’s happening! I’m so happy you worry about me though! It means so much to me!

 

Hayato: Do you guys not know what’s happening either?

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Nah, he was fine when we grabbed Raiko… 

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Then suddenly he started coughing… and then he started acting bat shit crazy!

 

I knew the coughing was weird! Both of them are showing the same symptoms. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} I’LL FUCK YOU UP! ALL OF YOU! DON’T MESS WITH ME!

 

Yoko: {Runs hand through hair} Huh… I’m starting to wonder if we didn’t tie up the wrong person. 

 

Raiko: {In chair, bites lip} Please… just let me go already. 

 

Tadao: {Amused} Soz bitch, there’s no way out now. You’re staying here forever. 

 

Raiko: Ngh… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} On the other hand… 

 

Fusume: {Jumping up and down} Happiness! I feel so light and happy! 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Yeah… she’s definitely out of it. 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Hayato… what do we do?

 

Why me? The hell do I know?

 

Hayato: Well uh… Kôzuke is supposed to come back with the rest of the group… I guess we wait until everybody arrives. 

 

Hayato: You’ll have to explain your actions to the rest of them. 

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} If by actions you mean that we tied up Morticia Addams over here… we stand by what we did. Right?

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Y-Yeah… of course. 

 

Hayato: Okay… well, I guess we wait. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} YOU WON’T GET A CHANCE! YOU’LL BE DEAD BEFORE ANYBODY COMES TO SAVE YOU!

 

Hayato: K-Kenji… you’ve got to calm down. Yoko, can you handle this?

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Ugh… I guess. Come on big guy, come with Yoko. 

 

Kenji: {FURIOUS} DON’T TOUCH ME! DON’T! YOU! FUCKING-

 

Guess she’s got that covered. Now to play the waiting game.

 

 

And only a few minutes later. 

 

{The rest of the group comes into frame} 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} As you asked man, here’s everyone… some of them are being a bit weird though! 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} N-Nyaah! W-Why is… Raiko in that chair? What happened?

 

Hayato: People… are… acting weird? 

 

Reijrio: {Glare} You. Explain to me at once what happened here!

 

Hayato: Oh Reijiro, are you feeling okay?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Now’s not the time for formalities. Speak!

 

 

I quickly resumed the events from Fusume knocking on my door to… this insanity. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I see… so that’s what happened. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I understand that two more of our classmates… are acting… rather extravagant yes?

 

I’m not quite sure that extravagant is the right word in this situation… 

 

Hayato: See for yourself. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} YOU WANT TO FIGHT!? IS THAT IT?

 

Jessie: {Sad} N-No… I just said hi in turkish… 

 

Fusume: {Jumping up and down} Reijiro! Reijiro! You’ve made it! Wow, your hands are so soft! I’m so happy right now!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Let go of me at once!

 

Fusume: {Interlocked fingers, happy expression} Come on! I know you love it!

 

Reijiro: {Blushing} That’s uh… {Smug} Quite enough of that!

 

Raiko: {In chair, bites lip} I’m still stuck here… if anybody cares!

 

Reijiro: Oh that… {Pointing at Tadao} You. 

 

Tadao: {Amused} Sup?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} How dare you put the life of one of our classmates in danger like that? She is now much more vulnerable than ever!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Fuck do you mean? Who cares if she’s vulnerable!? You should thank us, we just made this place a zillion times safer!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} I’m sorry Reijiro, we thought that we were helping. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Well, you did not. We were not supposed to use this barbaric device! And you should not have taken such a brash decision without consulting with the group!

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Welp, what’s done is done right? Now she’s in that chair and she’s here to stay! 

 

Yoko: {Sad} Maybe it wasn’t the right thing to do. 

 

Shinto: {Flustered, blushing} There you are.

 

Yoko: Sh-Shinto! Is everything okay. 

 

Shinto: {Suggestive look} Come here you. 

 

Shinto grabbed Yoko in his arms and starting kissing her neck. 

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Shinto! Stop that! What are you doing!?

 

Shinto: {Flustered, blushing} Shhhhhh, just enjoy.

 

Yoko: {Blushing, drooling} N-No, Shinto, you know that’s my weak spot. Not in front of everyone! 

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} Now’s not the time! 

 

Shinto: {Suggestive look} It’s always time for you and I… I can’t wait. I need you now. 

 

Yoko: {Angry} What’s happening to you Shinto!?

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Come with me, my princess. I will show you things that you didn’t know existed. 

 

He grabbed Yoko by the arm and started running out of the room. 

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Shinto, wait!

 

Shinto: {Suggestive look} I'll be in my room… come quick baby... {Leaves} 

 

Yoko: I… I'll go check on him later. 

 

… 

 

Well… that was absolutely atrocious to witness. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} As you can see... these two are not the only ones who are acting off… 

 

Hayato: So Shinto too? Yeah, that was really weird. 

 

I’m afraid to ask but… 

 

Hayato: Is there anyone else who’s been affected?

 

???: AHHHHHH!

 

I turned around and saw. 

 

Hikari: {Biting nails, shy expression} Y-You… s-spoke so l-loud! 

 

Oriana: {Cries} I’m s-s-so sorry I scared you!

 

Hikari: {Crying} Ahhhhhhhh! Please d-d-don’t cry!

 

Oh no… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Did we make an Oriana clone while I wasn’t paying attention?

 

Oriana: {Shy look} I d-don’t know… wh-what’s up with h-her… she’s been acting s-s-so weird! 

 

Weird huh? Ironic isn’t it…?

 

Hayato: Hikari… is everything okay?

 

Hikari: {Biting nails, shy expression} Ahhhhhh! I m-made m-my presence known… I’m s-so sorry!

 

Oriana: {Cries} I want H-Hikari, to g-go back to normal Hikari! H-H-Hayato… wh-what can we d-do?

 

The hell do I know. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} It looks like she too… has gone insane. 

 

Hayato: Finally, you call it the way you should! But anyway… I have no idea how to calm Hikari down. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Wait… I uh… I h-have an idea. 

 

Oriana: Say cheese Oriana: {Looks through camera shutter} *Click*

 

Hikari: {Terrified} AHHHHHHHHHH {Leaves} 

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaah! I m-made the situation s-s-so much worse… H-Hikari come b-b-back here! {Leaves} 

 

Aaaand… they’re gone. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} This is very peculiar indeed… why are four of our classmates acting so out of character? Could this perhaps be one of Monokuma’s new motives?

 

Hayato: I thought the same thing to myself. I can’t see any explanation that doesn’t include some intervention from Monokuma… 

 

Raiko: {In chair, bites lip} This whole thing is fun and all… but can we get back to me! I want out… now!

 

Kenji: {Furious} OPEN YOUR MOUTH ONE MORE TIME AND I’LL FUCK YOU UP BITCH! 

 

Reijiro: {Pinches bridge of his nose} Perhaps it would be wiser to… take the affected students out of this room so we can concentrate. 

 

Hayato: Yeah maybe you’re right. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} We should try to put them to sleep… hopefully things will have calmed down tomorrow. 

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} Roger that, I’ll take care of Kenji… it’ll be my way of saying sorry for letting the others drag me in this… I’ll see you both tomorrow morning. 

 

Hayato: Thank you Yoko… and good luck. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I believe that you shall need it. 

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Yeah… come on big guy, come with me. {Leaves} 

 

Kenji: {Tears shirt collar} NO! YOU CANNOT CONTAIN ME! YOU CANNOT- {Leaves} 

 

Phew… it already feels a bit calmer now that he’s gone. 

 

Hayato: Jessie… do you mind?

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up}  Pas de problème, Hayato-kun, Fusume-chan and I are going to take a nice walk back to her room, isn’t that right?

 

Fusume: {Jumping up and down} Oooooooh! A walk? That sounds exciting! I’m so happy! 

 

Jessie: Good luck to you both… {Sad} Oh and Raiko-chan… I’m sorry this happened to you. We’ll get you out of there I promise! {Leaves} 

 

Fusume: {Interlocked fingers, happy expression} Hayato! Reijiro! I love you booooooth {Leaves} 

 

Well… okay then. 

 

Reijiro: {Blushing} I… I… 

 

Hayato: Reijiro. Focus!

 

Reijiro: Y-Yes! Yes of course. 

 

Well, with all of the others gone… this room feels a lot emptier… and a lot more ominous. 

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Welp, seeing that all the cripples are being taken care of… and that I don’t really feel like seeing Cruella over here and her stupid puppy eyes, I’m gonna hit the road. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Yes, you should do that. 

 

Tadao: {Nervous} N-No need to look at me like that! S-Screw you guys {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… it definitely is more calm in here now. 

 

And now with Tadao gone, only Reijiro, Raiko and I were left in the room. 

 

Raiko: {In chair, bites lip} So… are you going to do anything to help me!?

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Truly… I wish we could… but as Monokuma has stated, there is no way to get you out of this chair once that it has been activated. 

 

Raiko: {In chair, sweating} That’s nonsense, surely there is a way… there’s got to be. 

 

Reijiro: {Hands extended over head} Sadly, it is not the case. 

 

It… It looks like neither of them know about the “cutting the electricity option”… I don’t think I should talk about it just yet though… 

 

Raiko: {In chair, sad} You… you can’t just leave me here. What am I going to do?

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a bright pink pyjama, holding some a teacup in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Attention to all residents, it is 10PM and night time is now in action, as you know some areas will be off limit until the morning. Go to bed and fall in a deep deep slumber. Who knows what great murder opportunities tomorrow holds upupupu!

 

{The tv screen cuts off}

 

… 

 

Night time already huh?

 

Reijiro: {Pinches bridge of his nose} Mmph… I believe it is time for us to go sleep. 

 

Raiko: {In chair, sweating} N-No… don’t leave me here! You can’t leave me!!!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} As I said… we do not have much of a choice. You will have to stay here at least until morning… then perhaps we shall find a solution. 

 

Raiko: {In chair, angry} Grrrr… help me dammit! Help me!

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} As much as it pains me to see a classmate in such a position… perhaps this will teach you a lesson… {Glare} After all you have done to us. 

 

Raiko: N-No… this isn’t fair! You can’t leave me until morning! I haven’t even had dinner yet!

 

Oops… odd choice of words that. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… I think you’ll notice that you quickly get used to hunger. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Now now. Good night. We shall come find you in the morning… perhaps then we will find a way to get you out of this contraption.

 

Raiko: {In chair, angry} NO! I want out now! NOW I TELL YOU!

 

Reijiro: {Points to Hayato} You. Come with me. 

 

Hayato: Are we really leaving her here?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Do you have an alternative choice to propose? 

 

Hayato: No… not really?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Then she’s staying here for the night. 

 

Raiko: {In chair, sweating} This neck clamp… I can’t move at all… I can’t breathe… I can’t breathe.

 

Reijiro: Do not turn back… just come with me. 

 

Hayato: O-Okay… I’m… I’m sorry Raiko.

 

Raiko: NOOOOOOOOO!

 

 

And on that sombre note, we walked out of the isolation room, Raiko’s shrieks getting lost in the hallways as we got further and further away from her torture chamber. 

 

I waved good night to Reijiro and went straight to my bed, exhausted from yet another… tumultuous day. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

Today was restless once again… I thought that things were going for the better, despite Reijiro starving… but this evening changed everything. 

 

Four of our classmates began acting strange. Shinto was… weirdly aroused, Hikari was scared of everything, Fusume was… well like a kid at christmas and Kenji was a lot angrier than he usually was. 

 

These changes in character can’t be considered coincidences… especially with their mutual coughing fits… 

 

What is happening to them? Is this Monokuma’s doing? 

 

Is this… yet another motive?

 

… 


And Raiko… we debated whether using that chair was viable… and we decided that it wasn't’… simply because of how morally wrong it was… and yet here she is. Stuck there, by herself. 

 

Despite everything she’s done to us… I still feel bad for her. 

 

As Reijiro said, she is extremely vulnerable now. If we don’t bring her food, she dies. If we don’t bring her water, she dies. 

 

If somebody decides to murder her… then, of course, she dies.

 

No, I can’t think like that. Everything will be fine. We will find solutions to all these issues.

 

There’s no other way.

 

It’ll be fine… it’ll be fine… it’ll be…

 

Will it be?

 

Frankly… I can’t tell anymore. 

 

… 

 

After hours of struggle… I finally fell asleep. 

 

Monokuma Theater. 

 

Monokuma: Here’s a fun fact for ya, a majority of pigs will die without ever seeing the sky. 

 

Monokuma: This can be explained by the lack of muscles in their necks. They can’t look up and therefore they can’t see the sky. 

 

Monokuma: That means that pigs’ conception of the world is much different than ours… can they picture heaven without having ever seen what’s above them?

 

Monokuma: Do you realise what that means? It means that even if pigs were much more advanced than we thought… they could never be religious…

 

Monokuma: No neck muscle, no sky, no heaven, no god. 

 

Monokuma: Boom, now that’s logic for you. 

 

Monokuma: In conclusion, the entire concept of religion has been brought to us by the articulations in our necks… pretty neat right?

 

Monokuma: Now try saying this sentence to someone without context… I dare you!

 

Notes:

And so many questions are left unanswered! What's with the personality switches? What's going to happen to Raiko now that she's "restrained"? What about Reijiro? All that and more in the next chapter!

A new daily life means more free time events, vote here for your favorites : https://www.strawpoll.me/18551300

Any theories on what's going to happen or perhaps on who dies? Go ahead and tell me about it in the comments! It means alot.

Thanks again for reading and see you in the next one ;)

Chapter 31: Chapter 3 : At the Mercy of our Emotions : Daily Life part 3

Notes:

A new chapter of DR : AD! And it's almost on schedule this time around!

Free time events this time around go to Yoko and Tadao

Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a jacuzzi, holding some sort of cocktail glass in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Gooood Morning! This is your director speaking, it’s now 8:00 AM! Look out the window, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. A perfect weather to kill wouldn’t you say?

Get ready for a spectacular day everyone!

 

Another “spectacular” day huh… 

 

After the events of last night, the only thing I can think of doing is to go and check on the others… there’s no time to waste. 

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Talk to Oriana} 

 

Oriana: {Yawns} G-Good morning… H-Hayato… 

 

Hayato: Hey there Oriana,  I’m guessing you didn’t sleep too well. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} N-No… Hikari t-took ages to go to sleep… she wouldn’t l-let go of me and she k-kept on saying that there were m-m-monsters under her b-bed… 

 

Oriana: {Yawns} I only uh… got a couple h-hours of sleep… 

 

Hikari… she was affected by this whole personality change thing last night. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

I’m afraid to ask but… 

 

Hayato: Is there anyone else who’s been affected?

 

???: AHHHHHH!

 

I turned around and saw. 

 

Hikari: {Biting nails, shy expression} Y-You… s-spoke so l-loud! 

 

Oriana: {Cries} I’m s-s-so sorry I scared you!

 

Hikari: {Cries} Ahhhhhhhh! Please d-d-don’t cry!

 

Oh no… 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} I d-don’t want to b-be rude… b-but it was a little annoying… I w-wish she could have just managed w-without me. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Ggh… wh-what am I s-saying…? it wasn’t her f-fault… it was my j-job to take care of her… like she took care of me before… 

 

I guess that’s true. 

 

Oriana: {Tightens bun} Why a-a-are you uh… looking at me like that. 

 

Oriana: {Cries} Are you thinking that… I’m j-just like her! That she is just i-imitating me!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Hm… m-maybe I see your point… 

 

Hayato: Wait! I didn’t say anything!

 

Oriana: {Cries} I… I’m such a burdeeeeeen! {Leaves} 

 

Well… that was confusing. 

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume’s here… I’m kind of afraid to talk to her… considering how she was acting yesterday… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: Fusume… can you think of something? 

 

Fusume: … 

 

Hayato: Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Interlocked fingers, happy expression} That sounds great guys, well done!

 

Hayato: Wait… WHAT!?

 

Raiko: {In chair, angry} You… what are you saying?

 

Fusume: {Interlocked fingers, happy expression} It seems like such a great initiative you know! I’m so proud of you guys! 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

That’s not her… this obviously Monokuma’s doing… I’ll help her snap out of it… yeah that’s right. 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} … 

 

Hayato: Good morning Fusume! I’m going to help you become yourself again! You shouldn’t worry about a thing!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Why… are you screaming?

 

Huh?

 

Hayato: Fusume… are you… back to being Fusume? 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I think so… when I woke up this morning… I think that I was back to normal… except I had this… huge headache. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} So please… don’t speak so loud will you. 

 

Hayato: So… you’re back. Thanks god for that. 

 

Fusume: {Yawns} The symptoms are definitely gone. At least that I can tell. I… still can’t explain the way I felt last night. It’s like I’d never felt such joy. I just couldn’t contain it. 

 

Hayato: So… throughout that whole thing you were still conscious. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Yes… I remember everything quite perfectly. It’s not that I was somebody different… it’s just that this particular emotion was overwhelmingly powerful… and in a sense had me at its mercy. 

 

At the mercy of her emotions huh…?

 

Hayato: Wait, if you remember everything… that means you know about the Raiko situation. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Yes… I still don’t understand how I could have let that slide… but now it appears to be too late. I cannot think of a way to save her. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} The only thing we can do for now is to make sure that she is well fed and kept alive… I won’t have her die because of my weakness. 

 

Hayato: Fusume… it really wasn’t your fault. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} … 

 

Hayato: You clearly didn’t have any control over your emotions… this has got to be another of Monokuma’s dumb motives. 

 

Fusume: … {Confident} I… I should go check on the others… and Reijiro. I can only imagine how he’s feeling. I’ll see you after. {Leaves} 

 

Hayato: Fusume wait!

 

… 

 

She’s gone. 

 

I… I guess I can understand how hard it is for her to accept that she had no control over her body and her emotions… but still, she shouldn’t be blaming herself for what happened. I hope I can talk some sense into her later. 

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor} 

 

{Move to Restaurant} 

 

{The whole group but Raiko is present in the restaurant} 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Oh… g-good morning Hayato-kun. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Yo… 

 

As expected… everybody’s bummed out by last night’s events. 

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} Don’t… speak so loud bro. 

 

Hayato: I didn’t say anything. 

 

Kenji: {Looks down} Ugh… just be quiet. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’ll… have to second that. 

 

Okay then. 

 

… 

 

This is starting to get a little bit awkward. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph, forgive me for breaking the silence… as peaceful as it has been… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} However, I believe we had some things to discuss. 

 

Fusume: {Yawns} I agree… even though silence is also quite tempting. 

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} Okay… just get through it quickly.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Very well… I believe the first order of business is to discuss the events of last night. 

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} Ggh… do we have to?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Yeah we do! Especially about your behaviour Shinto!

 

Shinto: Oh boy… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} It appears that four of you who were… acting strange last night are back to normal… correct me if I’m wrong.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Nah you’re right… I don’t feel as angry as I did yesterday night. 

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} Sorry about that by the way… I’m not sure what got into me. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} It obviously wasn’t your fault Kenji-kun! All four of you guys were being manipulated in some way… Je pense .

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… that is also my belief. Last night’s events were surely orchestrated by Monokuma. That is the only plausible explanation. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Doesn’t something… feel off though man?

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Feel off? What are you talking about?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Well y’know… this personality thing sounds like some kind of dumb thing Monokuma would use as a motive right?

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Yeah, surely, there’s no other way to explain what we witnessed yesterday! 

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} But that’s so weird… like okay, what do we know about Monokuma?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} That he’s a genocidal sack of shit who also happens to be a teddy bear? 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I mean yes… but what else?

 

Jessie: {Serious} He likes to make a show about things.

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Exactly! If this is one of his motives… then why hasn’t he made a bigass theatrical bullshit announcement like he usually does?

 

That’s… actually true… Kôzuke’s got a point 

 

Tadao: {Amused} Wow… that’s unusually insightful from the likes of you. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Thanks?

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} No… don’t thank him. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Either way… Kôzuke makes a good point. This feels pretty unlike Monokuma to introduce a new motive without telling us about it beforehand. 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Mmh… maybe he wants to catch us off guard… if we don’t actually know what’s happening we might be more worried you know. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Perhaps… I believe it is impossible for us to know the truth behind last night’s events until further clarification by the bear himself… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} What is important now is that the four of you have recovered. It appears this transformation was only temporary. 

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} I mean, my head hurts like a bitch but other than that… I guess that I’m back to normal. 

 

Shinto: {Looks down} Same here… the headache is here for me too. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} It seems that we all suffered from the same symptoms. A fit of cough followed by an unexplained change in behaviour… and now we’ve all got a strong headache.

 

Hikari: {Sad} That sounds about right… the cough and the headache. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-But… Hikari, you told me that you were feeling perfectly fine this m-morning!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Sorry haha… I just didn’t want you to worry too much that’s all. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} My head does hurt quite a bit… but I’d prefer that to how helpless I felt yesterday. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I can relate to that. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} This is all… quite the conundrum. We have no logical explanation for last night’s events… it all seems to link to Monokuma and yet this does not feel like his usual way of acting. 

 

Reijiro: {Pale} I guess that uh… we shall have to wait and see… yes that is right. 

 

Hayato: Reijiro… are you feeling okay?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I feel… just fine. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Bro… you don’t seem fine to me… you sure you’re okay?

 

Hikari: {Sad} It’s been so long since your last meal… you should be resting… why don’t you take a seat or something. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I said that I was fine! Stop insisting… I can handle my health just fine. 

 

Fusume: {Softly} Reijiro… I don’t think that’s true. You’re being too hard on yourself. You should let me take care of things for a bit… you need to focus on yourself. 

 

Reijiro: {Pale} N-Nonsense… as this group’s leader… I can’t t-take a break. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You… don’t look so well man. 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} I… I… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I… feel… just… f-f-f…  {Faints}

 

It happened so fast… he looked so angry and all of a sudden… he fell. 

 

Fusume: REIJIRO!

 

In an instant, we all got off whatever chair we were sitting on and leaped to where he had fallen. 

 

Jessie: {Tearing up} Reijiro-kun, no!

 

Tadao: {Nervous} What the fuck just happened… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Give him space… I said give him space dammit! 

 

Oriana: {Cries} I… I… I c-can’t look. Is h-he okay?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} It’s… all going to be just fine. 

 

Hayato: Fusume! How’s his breathing. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} He’s… he’s breathing fine… I think this is just the result of exhaustion… and of starvation. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Oh… so he’s fine then!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} He’s nowhere near fine. As long as he doesn’t eat something… he’ll only get worse… and worse… and worse. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} And he… he can’t eat until there’s another murder huh?

 

Fusume: {Angry} There will be no murder! I… I’ll find a solution!

 

Tadao: {Sombre} It would be… trading someone’s life for his… 

 


Tadao: {Frustrated} It looks like somebody’s dying… no matter what. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} N-NO! That’s a lie! Nobody’s dying under my watch. Nobody will die… I swear.

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} But… how are you planning on keeping him alive. We can’t break Monokuma’s rule can we?

 

She’s right… other than murder… there seems to be no solution to keep Reijiro alive… we’ve had this discussion before haven’t we?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’ll find a way. Surely, I will… 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} And how the fuck will you do that huh? 

 

Fusume: {Covering face with hands} Ggh… I… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Kenji. Help me carry him to the infirmary! 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Huh, Me? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} NOW!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Reijiro-kun… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} O-Okay, here we go. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What can we do to help?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Nothing… I’ll take care of him, I just need to get him there quickly. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I’m ready to go! Let’s go.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I’ll do my best… I shall keep you posted when he wakes up… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} But then… what do we do?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Just… do whatever you’d do on a normal day… or investigate some more if you have the strength. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m sorry… everyone, I must take care of this. {Leaves}

 

Kenji: Let’s get going {Leaves}

 

Jessie: {Sad} … 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} W-Wait for me, Fusume-chan! I’m coming with you! {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

They’ve all left.

 

Yoko: {Angry} Act as if it was a normal day!? How the hell are we supposed to do that?

 

Oriana: {Cries} It… c-can’t be a normal d-day when a f-friend is dying… 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} You and that fucker? Friends!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Wh-What are you saying…?

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} You guys aren’t friends… Reijiro wasn’t actually friends with any of us. 

 

Tadao: {Amused} In all seriousness… all he’s done since we got here was patronise us all. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Why the hell are you bringing that up?

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} I’m just saying… he isn’t worth sacrificing a life for. 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Just a word of warning for y’all… I might seem like an easy target but you should all be aware… if you try to kill me just to save his sorry ass. 

 

Tadao: {Malicious smile} You’ll be the one who ends up dead. 

 

Hayato: Hey! Shut up already. 

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Huh?

 

Hayato: Nobody’s killing anybody… but Reijiro has done nothing but lead us well through all we’ve been through. You have no right to accuse him like that. 

 

Tadao: {Amused} You’re gonna suck up to him now… I see. 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Whatever, none of you have the balls to kill… that much is clear. Even if I was in that stupid chair I’d probably feel safe. 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} All I’m saying is that I won’t mourn his stupid ass once he’s dead. 

 

How… fucking dare he?

 

Hayato: Now listen here Tadao-

 

Tadao: {Amused} Nope. I’ve said my piece, you can’t force me to listen to your lectures. 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} In fact, I’m out. See ya later losers. {Leaves} 

 

 

It’s not like me to snap like I just did… but he’s really pushing my buttons. I won’t let him disrespect Reijiro or Fusume for the work they’ve put in keeping the group safe. 

 

I won’t allow it. Ever. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I think that’s enough for one morning. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} If th-this is a n-nightmare… can I p-please uh… wake up?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Man… your nightmares are hella bland if that’s what they’re like. 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Nobody wants to hear about your stupid car nightmares Kôzuke. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Aww but… c’mon they’re interesting. 

 

No, they really aren’t. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I guess that the only thing we can do right now is move to our usual occupations… just like Fusume said. 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} She’s got medical training! If she does her best, I’m sure she can make Reijiro feel better. We’ve just got to let her do her thing!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You sure have a lot of energy… I couldn’t smile this brightly with the headache I’m having. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} You know… it’s in the hardest times that you need to have the biggest smile… that’s what I’ve learnt. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Let’s have faith in Fusume… and in Reijiro. I’m sure it will turn out okay in the end!

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Faith… huh?

 

… 

 

The six of us finished the discussion and went back to our respective rooms, hoping that the day would get better as it went on. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

I’m obviously worried at Reijiro… and pissed at Tadao for being such a little shit… but Hikari’s right. We can’t do anything until he wakes up… and for that to happen we should let Fusume take care of him. 

 

Essentially… that means I have nothing useful to do… but still, I can’t just sit around and stay here endlessly.  

 

As much as it pains me to say… I need to socialise. 

 

Let’s see who I can hang with today. 

 

{Free Time starts} 

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Red Building - Entrance}

 

{Move to Red Building - East Wing} 

 

{Move to Lounge} 

 

{Yoko and Hikari are here} 

 

{Talk to Yoko} 

 

Yoko: {Happy} Hey, you! I was just making myself a cocktail. Feel free to join me. 

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Alcohol free… of course! T-Totally!

 

Do I want to spend time with Yoko?

 

{Yes/No} 

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} Awesome! I’ll pour you one! Just take a seat, I’ll be back in a few. 

 

… 

 

I spent the morning talking to Yoko about a bit of everything. She told me about her life before Hope’s Peak, her hobbies and he relation to Shinto among other things. 

 

I guess I’d never had the chance to see past the initially intimidating barriers she’d put up… but now that I get to talk to her face to face, I discovered just how friendly she really is. Turns out, I can definitely understand how her and Shinto ended up together. 

 

I think we got a bit closer

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} You know… originally, I didn’t think that going to Hope’s Peak would be a good idea. 

 

Hayato: You didn’t…? Why is that? 

 

Yoko: {Blank expression} I guess you could say… I didn’t think Shinto and I would fit in. 

 

Hayato: You… you wouldn’t fit in?

 

Yoko: {Sad} Yeah… I’m sure you can figure out why… 

 

Hayato: I can?

 

I definitely can’t… 

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} It’s pretty obvious! If you just think about our talent… compared to the others. 

 

Shinto and Yoko’s talent… 

 

Hayato: I think I see what you’re talking about… could it be that… 

 

  1. Your talent is better than the others
  2. Your talent isn’t really a talent
  3. You don’t deserve your talent

 

Hayato: Your talent… doesn’t really fit in the definition of talent that Hope’s Peak offers does it?

 

Yoko: {Sad} Yeah, precisely… “The best at one’s field”, that’s what you’re supposed to be to fit the entry requirements… 

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} But in our case… what does that even mean!?

 

Yoko: {Sad} Ultimate couple… that’s a completely suggestive notion. It doesn’t actually mean anything. 

 

Yoko: {Blank expression} Does it…?

 

Hayato: I mean… you’re right, it is a subjective thing. But the fact that you were selected means something. It’s not a coincidence that you’re here. 

 

Yoko: {Disappointed} Yeah… I guess so. But still, it feels kind of undeserved. 

 

Hayato: I don’t think you should worry too much to be fair-

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} Wait! I’m not done complaining!

 

Okay?

 

Yoko: {Sad} I love Shinto, don’t get me wrong… I love him with all my heart. 

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} But sometimes, this title feels more like a burden than anything else… I won’t lie. 

 

Hayato: A burden… how so?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Our society likes to categorise its people wouldn’t you say? Well for us this is pushed to its maximum.

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} As Ultimate students… our title basically defines us. If you’re the Ultimate Athlete nobody’s going to be care if you’re interested in the arts. 

 

Yoko: {Playful} You get what I mean?

 

Hayato: Y-Yeah… I guess so. 

 

Yoko: {Runs hand through hair} For you… you’re the Ultimate Author, I’m guessing that writing’s all that you do… so it doesn’t really matter that much, or at least it won’t bother you

 

Yoko: {Disappointed} But for me… it’s all a little bit different. My passion in life isn’t “being in a couple”… I have other things that interest me… but no one will ever ask. 

 

Yoko: {Sad} All everyone cares about is the state of my couple… and even though I love him and I love our relationship… it isn’t the nicest feeling for me personally. 

 

Hayato: Hm… I see what you mean.

 

Yoko: {Disappointed} I don’t want to sound ungrateful… far from that. I’m really happy with what I’ve got. Trust me I am… 

 

Yoko: {Sad} I just wish I could be seen as something other than “that girl from the couple”. 

 

What she’s saying makes a lot of sense. I don’t mind being seen as the author… simply because that’s my passion and what I’m good at. That’s not the case for her though… I can understand how degrading it may feel. 

 

Hayato: Well then Yoko tell me, what else are you passionate about?

 

Yoko: {Disappointed} If you really must know… I did a lot of modelling when I was a kid… 

 

Yoko: {Angry} But that had to stop… because of… these people… 

 

Hayato: These people? Who are you talking about? 

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} I’m so grateful for Shinto… And I love him so much, I know for a fact I’ll stay with him ‘till the day I die. 

 

Yoko: {Disappointed} But things… simply aren’t that easy. 

 

Hayato: Yoko… 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} I don’t want to talk about this anymore… the conversation’s already been depressing enough wouldn’t you say?

 

Hayato: Well, I mean-

 

Yoko: {Playful} Then it’s settled! We’ll talk about something else! Why don’t you tell me more about yourself Hayato… I’m tired of the discussion being about me! 

 

It’s no use… I won’t get her to come back on what she’s just said. It’s a shame though, I still have many questions… namely who was were “these people” who stopped her from modelling. I should try and ask her more about that the next time we hang out. 

 

… 

 

I spent the rest of the morning chit chatting with Yoko, mostly about my life and my own preoccupations… she seemed surprisingly interested in what I had to say. It turns out Yoko is a lot more thoughtful and… frankly quite a bit smarter than I had imagined. 

 

I definitely understand her a bit better

 

{Yoko’s report card has been updated based on your experience with her} 

 

After a little while, Yoko and I decided to part ways and I went back to my room. 

 

{Auto-Move to Hayato’s room} 

 

… 

 

It’s lunch time but weirdly enough… I’m not hungry at all. All I can think of right now is Reijiro and his situation… It’s worrying me sick. 

 

It’s no use just turning the idea around endlessly… I could go see how he’s doing… Fusume should also be there with him. 

 

Off to the infirmary we go. 

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Red Building - Entrance} 

 

{Move to Red Building - West Wing} 

 

{Move to Infirmary} 

 

{Scene opens on the infirmary. Reijiro can be seen tucked in the white bed, Fusume, Jessie and Kenji are here} 

 

Jessie: {Happy} Hayato-kun! You came! 

 

Hayato: Hey guys, I came to see how Reijiro was doing. 

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Would you look at that, you’ve come at the right time!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} The man of the hour is awake!

 

He’s… awake?

 

{Reijiro is seen sitting up in the bed with his glasses on, he’s extremely pale}

 

Hayato: Reijiro! How… how are you doing?

 

Reijiro: I’ll let you answer that question for yourself. I am alive… that is what matters.

 

Hayato: Yeah but like… you fainted you know. You can’t be doing too well. 


Reijiro: Well, obviously I am not well… you were all right… The more time goes the hungrier I get… I will not last long in these conditions… 

 

Reijiro: The truth is that I need to rest.

 

Fusume: And that’s exactly why you’re here. 

 

Reijiro: Before I sleep some more though… I need to talk to you both. 

 

Jessie: You… both?

 

Kenji: It’s almost like you and me aren’t here Jessie.

 

Fusume: What is it?

 

Reijiro: The girl… in the chair. You might have forgotten about her after my… little stunt this morning. She needs to be kept alive until we find a way to get her out. 

 

Hayato: Kept alive…? And how are we supposed to do that?

 

Reijiro: She cannot move… nor can she feed herself. That means that one of us will have to get her food and… make sure she has got everything she needs. 

 

Reijiro: She has not been… the most diplomatic person in the world so far, that much is sure… but she does not deserve this. No one does. 

 

Fusume: Yes… you’re right… 

 

Kenji: You know what, I’ll handle this. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Kenji-kun?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} It’s my fault that she’s in that chair… I know I wasn’t in control of my emotions but still… I put her there. I’ll be the one to handle the follow up. 

 


Reijiro: And what are you thinking of doing?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on collar} I’ll take care of Raiko today… but I think we should set up a system. Every day someone different feeds her one of her meals… that way no one gets prolonged exposure to her… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hm… that sounds like a good enough idea… Kenji, I trust you’ll manage this well?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Count on me. As I said, this is my mess. I’ll make sure that everything’s okay with her… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting}  Peut-être… somebody should also stay with her at night… to make sure she doesn’t need anything. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} If she woke up and needed something urgently… it would be bad. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah why not… I’ll add that to the list of shifts. 

 

Kenji looks like he’s taking this quite seriously… I’m surprised to see him this concerned… well, you know what they say about people changing. 

 

Reijiro: I am happy to see that you are not letting things go out of hand… I do not want another death on my hands… on our hands. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I won’t let that happen Reijiro… I swear!

 

Reijiro: Good… it looks like I can sleep in peace now. 

 

Reijiro: Oh… one more thing. 

 

Fusume: {Softly} What is it?

 

Reijiro: Be careful with that girl… we need to take care of her, yes. However, that does not mean she should be treated lightly… she is still the same dangerous sociopath we have seen in the past.

 

Reijiro: That chair will not stop her from messing with us all. So be careful. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Don’t you worry… I’ll keep an eye on the witch. She won’t get to any of us again. I won’t allow it!

 

Reijiro: Very well… now if you’ll excuse me. I think the best I can do is rest. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} You should do just that Reijiro… and stay hydrated, don’t forget to drink often. 

 

Reijiro: I am no child… but thank you. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Guys, let’s give him some space shall we?

 

Reijiro: Seriously, I am very thankful for you all to worry about me… but I’ll be fine for now. The group should concentrate on finding a way out… I should not be the priority. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Of course you should be Reijiro! You said that you didn’t want another death on your hands… well the same can be said for me! I won’t let you die dammit! 

 

Reijiro: … Very well. I shall do my best to hang on then!

 

Jessie: {Happy} That’s the spirit Reijiro-kun! Omnes sumus te !

 

I’m glad to see that his spirits aren’t too low but still… poor Reijiro… he’s lucky to have such caring people by his side… however, I can’t be blind to the truth. With Monokuma’s stupid rule still in action… he won’t last much longer. 

 

{Flashback}

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} However… I did say that you would be punished… I don’t want to go back on my word… so here goes. 

 

Reijiro’s punishment… I can only hope that it’s not something too bad. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Aw c’mon, what are y’all looking at me with such puppy eyes for? This punishment is nothing drastic! It’s just a little rule I’m adding for Reijiro!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Just see it as… a motive of sorts.

 

A motive of sorts? 

 

*Ding*

 

I felt my Resident ID vibrate in my jacket pocket.

 

Yoko: {Shocked} The heck was that?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} That should be the new rule having been added to your Resident IDs! Go ahead check it, check it!

 

Being left with only little of a choice, I pulled out the small tablet and went to the “Rules and Regulations” tab. 

 

… 

 

As expected the screen is slightly different from the last time I’d checked. The weapons rule has been deleted and in its place… I saw… 

 

{Camera shows a closeup on the Resident ID}

 

Rule #12 : Reijiro Yamane is forbidden from eating until the next murder. Any attempt at feeding him will be punished accordingly

 

Hayato: What… what the hell?

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

The truth is that for the moment we have found no way to bypass Monokuma’s motive… and as long as that thing’s around, Reijiro is going to starve to death unless somebody else is killed. 

 

It’s his life against somebody else’s basically, we need to find something…  

 

Anything… 

 

… 

 

Reijiro got his head back under the covers and we moved to the other side of the room in order to let him sleep. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I’d still like to talk to you guys before we split ways… 

 

Jessie: {Stroking chin} Let’s just not speak too loud yes? We don’t want to bother Reijiro-kun too much!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} She’s right, let’s keep our voice down people. 

 

Fancy hearing that from you of all people. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} First things first, I’d like to thank you all for coming to check on Reijiro… I’m sure it means alot to him even though he doesn’t express it too much. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Kenji and Jessie, you’ve been of great assistance, I’m not sure I could have handled this morning without the two of you. 

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Aw, don’t sweat it! That’s what we’re here for y’know. 

 

Jessie: {Smiling with thumbs up} You’re gonna make me tear up if you continue being so sweet Fusume-chan! 

 

She’s right… the both of them have been pretty awesome this whole time staying with him. 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Despite this… I think we should try to limit details on Reijiro’s condition for the moment. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Huh… why is that?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Simple, the more we tell the others, the more they’ll want to visit him… and the less he has to interact with others the better for him right now. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} He needs to be left alone without having to worry about… the other problems we have right now. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} So please… keep this quiet for now. Let’s just say that he’s still asleep. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Trust me… it’s for the best. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Mmh… Fair enough. I’ll trust you with that one. 

 

Jessie: {Enthusiastic} Don’t worry about me, Fusume-chan! I’ll keep quiet if you need me to!

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} Call it doctor-patient confidentiality!

 

She turned around and quickly put on one of the hospital blouses that were hanging behind. 

 

Jessie: {Posing} Doctor Shadow in the house!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Jessie! What did we say about being quiet?

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} Haha 미안합니다! I can’t help it!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} This isn’t the time to be joking around y’know… 

 

Yeah… I have to admit that Jessie is being a tad too hyper for the situation… 

 

Jessie: {Scared} AHHHHHHHH!

 

Fusume: {Confident} J-Jessie! What’s wrong!?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} That’s definitely not keeping your voice down sis!

 

Jessie: {Livid}ч ертовски дерьмо Is… is… this polyester?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} How the heck are we supposed to know that!?

 

Hayato: Well… most outerwear is made of a blend of polyester and cotton so… I guess it could be… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} But… what’s the problem!

 

Jessie: {Scared} Get it off me! Niha!

 

I got close to Jessie and carefully pulled the fabric off her… however, once it was off, I saw… 

 

{Close-up on Jessie’s arms, they are red and covered with rash} 

 

Jessie: D-Dammit! I’m allergic to polyester. This coat must have caused a reaction. 

 

Kenji: Shit bro, that’s kinda gross… I mean uh… are you okay?

 

Jessie: It stings… really hard… but I was only exposed to it for a few seconds so I should be fine. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Is there perhaps some sort of treatment that you need to take for such an allergic reaction?

Jessie: {Livid} I have uh… anti-histamines in my room… the quicker I take it the better. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} If I hurry… hopefully the rash will be gone in a few days. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Then go treat yourself! We should let Reijiro rest either way. 

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Oh… okay… I’ll c-come back later in the day to check up on everything. 

 

Jessie: {Livid} Sorry about that everyone {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Well… that was disgusting. 

 

Hayato: Yeah… poor Jessie. 

 

Polyester huh that’s a pretty specific allergy. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Well uhm… I hope she’ll be fine soon and that I won’t have to look at her gross-ass arms in the meantime… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Kenji! Have a little compassion!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} R-Right, sorry… 

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Anyway, our work here is done isn’t it? If Reijiro’s simply gonna sleep, I might as well go and start working on my Raiko schedule!

 

Fusume: {Confident} That sounds like a good idea… the quicker you can have it ready the better. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Ugh, I guess that I’ll start by going to check on her right now. I don’t know why… but I feel like this is going to be a pain. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Wish me luck everyone yeah?

 

Fusume: {Content} Thank you Kenji, I am impressed with your commitment to this operation.

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Don’t sweat it! As I said… {Cracking fists} I need to accept my mistakes and fix them. 

 

Hayato: Well then, good luck Kenji!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} I’ll see y’all around… oh and keep me posted on Gandhi’s hunger strike if you see me later in the day got it? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I’d rather you wouldn’t joke about Reijiro’s punishment like that-

 

Kenji: {Annoyed} Ugh… just relax a little girl seriously… you people are too much {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

With Kenji gone, Fusume and I are the only one left in the room, at least the only ones awake. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Very well, this meeting went quite well. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Or at least, much better than the previous ones we’ve held… 

 

Hayato: Fusume… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} No matter, I’m going to do my very best to keep everyone alive and thanks to you guys… I know that I won’t be alone in that task. 

 

Hayato: Of course not Fusume! We all want to come out of here alive obviously… but we’ll also take care of Reijiro and Raiko! You don’t need to carry that burden all by yourself. 

 

Fusume: {Content} Thank you Hayato… that means a lot to me… 

 

I’m glad I can support Fusume and lighten her workload… the truth is that she’s got a lot on her plate right now. Jessie and Kenji have also been pretty awesome in that regard. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hm, you’ve spent enough of your lunch time with us haven’t you? 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Kenji will take care of the Raiko situation… and I’ll stay here with Reijiro in case he needs anything. That means you’re free to do anything you want for the rest of the day. 

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} Obviously, if you could continue to look for a way out or clues on our past that would be quite helpful… but I can’t force you to do that I guess. 

 

Hayato: Don’t worry Fusume, I won’t let you down. You can count on me!

 

Fusume: {Content} I don’t expect anything less of you Hayato!

 

{Fade to black} 

 

On these words of encouragement, I made my way to the restaurant to grab a quick lunch before heading back to my room for the time being. 

 

{Auto-Move to Hayato’s room}

 

Well, I’ve got to say that I’m more at ease with the whole situation after all this. I now know that Reijiro is in good hands despite how horrible he must be feeling… 

 

I know that Kenji will make sure that Raiko is taken care of… even though I’m not sure she deserves our help. 

 

And finally I know that people like Jessie are still here to raise our morale and to encourage everyone to keep investigating. 

 

I feel quite well actually… we’re finally going somewhere. 

 

We’re finally managing to work together without interference… and I won’t let anyone change that. 

 

… 

 

Enough sappy self talk. I need to find something to do with my afternoon. Let’s see who’s available to hang out. 

 

  {Free Time starts} 

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Yellow Building - First Floor}

 

{Move to Yellow Building - Second Floor} 

 

{Move to Archives} 

 

{The room looks identical to the last time it was visited except that there are a few more files scattered on the floor. Tadao is here} 

 

{Talk to Tadao} 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} The fuck do you want? Are you gonna tell me off for not investigating?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Well believe it or not cumstain, I’m actually working here! So why don’t you and your micropenis get the fuck out of my face!?

 

Oh boy… why am I doing this to myself. I think everybody knows that this is a terrible idea but… should I spent some time with Tadao?

 

{Yes/No} 

 

Tadao: {Nervous} You w-wanna hang with me?

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Fine… but I swear that if you piss me off, I won’t hesitate to kick your flat ass! 

 

… 

 

I spent the afternoon listening to Tadao rant about pretty much every subject imaginable. Even though he was talking nonsense for a majority of our conversation I decided not to disagree with him too much to avoid unnecessary conflict. 

 

At times he’d get so angry that he would simply stop talking for a while and sit silently. I guess these little breaks in the ranting were actually quite nice. 

 

I guess that I understand Tadao a bit better. 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} The fuck are you looking at? Stop staring at me!

 

Hayato: Tadao… I’m just making eye contact… you know,  that is what people do when they talk.

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Ugh… whatever. Just stop doing that!

 

Hayato: You want me to just not look at you when we’re talking?

 

Tadao: {Malicious smile} Or maybe, you could just stop talking to me all together, wouldn’t that be so much easier?

 

Ever so confrontational huh…?  

 

Hayato: Tadao… just why are you like this?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} The fuck does that mean?

 

Hayato: How did you get to this point in life?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} You mean like… how I became the caped kidnapper and all that?

 

That’s not what I already had in mind but… 

 

Hayato: Yes, that’s exactly what I meant. 

 

Tadao: {Amused} Huh… wouldn’t you like to know more about my life… 

 

Hayato: Tadao, c’mon don’t make this harder than it needs to be!

 

Tadao: {Nervous} … 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} F-Fine! But don’t think that just because I’m talking to you and like… the fact that we have the same vowels in our name and all that jazz makes us buddies okay?

 

I have so many issues with that sentence… 

 

Hayato: Fine, we aren’t buddies. 

 

Tadao: {Nervous} … 

 

Tadao: {Sombre} I didn’t start kidnapping people for fun you know… 

 

Hayato: I mean, I would have assumed so but then… why? 

 

Tadao: {Malicious smile} Just like every epic villain… it all started because of revenge. 

 

Hayato: … Revenge!?

 

{Flashback} 

 

{A young Tadao is seen standing in front of a large flat screen TV} 

 

TV Reporter : And in more tragic news, the authorities have confirmed that there have been no survivors in the A830 FreeRise crash from last night. 

 

TV Reporter : The death count has been reported to be as high as 600 making this one of the most lethal plane accidents in history. 

 

TV Reporter : The investigative team has claimed that there are no signs of ill intent however, many find it hard to believe that this crash is a product of sheer coincidence. 

 

TV Reporter : Among the passengers were Miyoshi and Hanako Yamateko, the co-CEO of the Teko industries as well as most members of their executive board.

 

TV Reporter : These deaths will probably result in the company closing permanently due to a lack of its leading members. 

 

TV Reporter : The recent deals made by the pair caused a brutal clash with the leading Yakuza clans, namely the Kuzuryu and the Myiazaki families. 

 

TV Reporter : Tragic accident or well planned terrorist attack? The police are doing their best to answer that question… 

 

Tadao: Mom… dad…?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Obviously they ended up dropping the investigation… and so my parents’ murder was just labelled as just another freak accident. 

 

Hayato: Wait, I remember hearing about that crash… hold on, THESE WERE YOUR PARENTS!?

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Yeah y’know that’s probably why them and I have the same last name, no need to scream or whatever… 

 

Hayato: I’m so sorry Tadao… your parents… you were so young. 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Aw c’mon quit it with that sappy bullshit! The two of them were so caught up in their business they didn’t take the time to properly raise their child… 

 

Tadao: {Amused} And look where it got me!

 

Why… does he seem so unbothered with this whole ordeal!?

 

Tadao: {Points at hairband} I was angry at my parents’ murder and at this whole shady business world… these dirty bosses had to pay for all the lives they were ruining.

 

Tadao: {Heinous} And if the fucking cops weren't gonna do nothing about it… then I would. 

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Case. Fucking. Closed. 

 

Hayato: Listen Tadao… I’m so sorry-

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Oh my god! If I knew you’d be such a pussy about the whole thing I wouldn’t have told you! Stop being a baby and move on!

 

Hayato: How am I supposed to move on after hearing tell me about such a thing?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} You know what… that’s enough. I answered enough of your stupid fucking questions… I’m going to do something better with my time.

 

Hayato: Now wait a second-

 

Tadao: Follow me and I’ll kick your ass… seriously dude. 

 

This guy… he won’t even listen to me… 

 

Hayato: You know what Tadao, screw you!

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Wh-What?

 

Hayato: I’m making conversation to be nice to you and then I worry about what you tell me and you’re just being a huge douchebag about it!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} The fuck is wrong with-

 

Hayato: No, that’s it. Talk to me when you’re done acting like a prick. I’m done with you threatening to beat me up every time we interact. 

 

Hayato: Bye. 

 

Tadao: You can’t just leave like- 

 

I stormed off. 

 

 

Wow, I don’t know what just got through me… I guess I just got tired of playing nice while he acted like such a dick… I guess I do feel a bit guilty, especially after hearing about his tragic past… 

 

Poor kid. I guess it’s understandable that he turned out like this. 

 

Hopefully, he won’t be too pissed at me for storming off like that… I don’t want our relationship to be ruined because of this. He is my classmate after all. 

 

Well, it’s hard to say if we got closer or not… so I guess I’ll leave it at that. 

 

{Tadao’s report card has been updated based on your experience with him} 

 

Tired by the conversation and adamant to further my point by leaving dramatically, I decided to go back to my room for the time being. 

 

{Auto-Move to Hayato’s room} 

 

… 

 

Well, today was a nice break from the past couple of days. It was much less eventful and despite the stressful situation Reijiro and Raiko have been put in, I feel like the group is getting closer together… 

 

We’re stronger than when we first started here… and that means we won’t let ourselves be manipulated by Monokuma… or Raiko for that matter. 

 

{The monitor in the room turns on, Monokuma can be seen in his usual jacuzzi} 

 

Monokuma: Alright fuckers, I’ve given you enough breathing time… it’s time to spice things up wouldn’t you say?

 

Monokuma: Meet me in the Red Building’s entrance… don’t make me wait or else… 

 

Monokuma: Upupu… incomplète threats are my favorite! 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hm… speak of the devil… well of the devilish bear. I did think that he’d been too quiet these past few days. It’s no surprise that he wants to… “spice things up”. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Yoshi…?

 

Jessie: {Scared} Yoshi-kun… did you just say-

 

Yoshi: {Head tilted, cold expression} You heard me. It took you this long to spice things up… but now you’re starting to make it interesting.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Spice things up?

 

Yoshi: {Snarky smirk, stroking cheek} You know, you finally decided to accuse me of the murder… and your argument is sound… I mean almost sound.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Ggh… now’s not the time to think of that. I can’t just hang about in here, I should go… and hope for the best. 

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Red Building - Entrance} 

 

{The entire group but Reijiro and Raiko can be seen}

 

Fusume: {Confident} Looks like everybody’s here… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Or at least everyone who’s well enough to be here. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Raiko-chan… and Reijiro-kun… 

 

Tadao: {Malicious smile} Hey, let’s not feel sad about Raiko yeah? She deserves that shit! 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} No matter all that… Monokuma likely won’t be long. 

 

Yeah… he’s probably lurking… waiting to make one of his stupid dramatic entrances.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Guys… am I the only one who finds this all a bit weird? 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} How… s-so?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} The last couple of times Monokuma gave us motives much earlier on… didn’t he?

 

Hikari: {Sad} I mean… doesn’t Reijiro’s rule count as a motive of sorts?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Sure… but it doesn’t feel as grand as the other ones we’ve had so far… I’m not sure how to explain it. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} You know what… I guess I can understand what you mean man… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} That’s not all though, every time he summoned us to give us a motive so far, he did it in the aula… so why switch that up now?

 

He’s right…  I hadn’t thought about that but it does seem weird to break the trend.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hm… one thing’s for sure, Monokuma doesn’t do stuff without reason… if we’re here it can only mean one thing. 

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} And… uh what is that?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The motive that Monokuma’s going to give us will have something to do with this place!

 

Oriana: {Cries} A-Ah! I d-don’t want a-a-nother motive… not after what h-happened to poor Y-Yoshi… 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Boy oh boy… this is gonna suck balls isn’t it?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical}  Чакай малко! How can a motive be related to this new building?

 

Monokuma: {Appears} Would you look at that Google Translate! What a grrrrreat question to ask your favorite bear!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Did… he just call me Google Translate?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hm… you have some questions to answer Monokuma. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Don’t you worry my children, I have everything you’ve been waiting for. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} A way out of this fucking place?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Okay… maybe everything but that. 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} I’m guessing that means you’re here to tell us you can let Reijiro eat and free Raiko?

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} Well… maybe it’s not that either.

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Huh… then what the fuck are you good for?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Can you let a bear express himself dammit!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ugh… guys, just let him speak. 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Fine. 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Thank god… now where was I?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Well, you said you had everything we wanted. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Oh that, of course! Well, I’ve been listening and the thing you want above all… open brackets, liberty excluded, closed brackets. 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Do you wanna be any more unclear motherfucker?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} ANSWERS! I’M GIVING YOU ANSWERS!

 

Answers?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Um… answers to what exactly?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Well, I’m sure you’ve been wondering what happened to a couple of you last night… 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} And when I say I’m sure it means that I’ve been listening to your conversations… so yeah, I’m actually sure.

 

Shinto: {Looks down} What… what happened last night?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} So we were right huh? It was you who caused these changes in behaviour?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Of course it was me! Who else would be such a machiavellian genius to disrupt your very own personalities!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Wh-What… d-did you do to us…?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} You promised answers… but I’m just getting more and more questions y’know. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} I’ve got you, Monokuma and Co, trademark, are proud to introduce… drum rolls please… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Just get on with it already. 

 

{Camera shows Monokuma standing proudly in front of a large, complex looking machine} 

 

Monokuma: The Adfectus 3000!

 

Kôzuke: Ad… what now?

 

Jessie: Adfectus… it means emotions. 

 

Shinto: Emotions…? What the hell’s this thing?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Monokuma: I’m glad you asked Romeo, this “thing” is the device responsible for your experiences of last night… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} And it will be responsible for much more upupu… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You… you… monster. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} How does it work?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} It’s really simple actually. All I do is press a couple buttons and I can induce any emotion to any one of you guys. 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} And just so you know… it’s not just a “oh I’m feeling quite happy today” type deal… the results will be drastic… much more pronounced.

 

Hikari: {Sad} So that’s what happened to us huh?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar}  How fucking dare you?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} I won’t explain the science to you guys… but basically once this thing is on you’ll lose control over your emotions and just feel whatever I want you to feel… and often make unreasonable decisions because of it… 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Tell me bastards, how despair inducing does that sound!?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaaaah! That’s so u-u-unfair!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Don’t talk about things being unfair Pink Swan will ya?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Wh-Why is th-that?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Well, if you remember the way I worded one of my previous motives, many days ago… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} No, not quite. These partnerships are going to be important because from now on… your lives depend on one another.

 

Hayato: What does that mean…?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} It means that if one of y’all dies… their partner will be punished.

 

Rina: {Spits coffee} PFFF

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} Wh-what?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Oh no… oh nonononono.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} What do you mean punished? Are you talking about execution?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Wouldn’t you like to know, I’ll be keeping this a secret for the moment.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} All you gotta know is that you don’t want your partner dying… or your life expectancy will suddenly decrease upupupu.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Hm, you did say that… and so what?

 

Oriana: {Looks through camera lense} I’m uh… not s-sure I get it… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ggh… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} He’s saying… that Reijiro’s motive should have applied to you too!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Wh-WHAT?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Right on the money Fusume! This twist was imagined to add on just a little more despair when you least expected it. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I… I… I don’t get it man!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} To make things simple. I was going to punish Oriana just like I punished Reijiro but decided against it because it’d look like I was taking it out on her… after the kidnapping and all that. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Look everyone, Monokuma the king of despair actually decided to have compassion for once in his epic life. 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} I was nice to you Oriana! So what is unfair is that Reijiro’s suffering by himself!

 

Monokuma… had compassion? That feels odd. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} So don’t ever call anything I do unfair again… got it!?

 

Oriana: {Cries} S-S-SORRRYYYY!

 

… 

 

Poor Oriana… 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Ahem, now that this issue’s been addressed, I would like to finish my announcements without being interrupted… 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} GOT IT!?

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Whatever. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Just speak will ya?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Very well, as you’ve probably gathered from this marvelous speech, the Adfectus 3000 is your latest motive. 

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Because keeping it active at all times would probably fuck you up too much for you to even think about committing a murder… it will only be turned on after night time and will only target a selected few… for now. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles threw notes} So… only a few of us will be affected each night. At least that means that the others will be able to take care of those of us… who aren’t as lucky. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} You got it! A* for comprehension!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Now let’s move on… to the second part of the motive. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} The second part? Is that not enough?

 

Jessie: {Sad} Oh no… mitä nyt?

 

There’s more…? 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} The most observant among you might have noticed that this isn’t the usual meeting spot. 

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Yeah, we’ve noticed. But why?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} This has got to do with the second half of the motive right?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Bingo! You’re on fire tonight Fusume! Guess that might compensate for the fact you’ve let four of your classmates die!

 

Fusume: {Pulls out kunai} You piece of-

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I gathered you all here because this building will now become a very important part of your daily lives!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} H… H-How so?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} See for yourself!

 

*Ding*

 

My resident ID vibrated in my pocket. Judging from everyone’s response, I’m guessing I’m not the only one who felt that. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Here’s a hint, why don’t you check the rules and regulation section!?

 

A new rule huh…? Let me check it out.

 

{Close-up on Hayato’s ID, two new rules can be seen flashing on screen. 

 

Rule #13 : Residents will be split into two groups every night, they will each sleep in one of the wings of the red building. Their respective rooms are off limits during night time. Crossing the water bath which divides the building is STRICTLY prohibited and will result in death. 

 

Rule #14 : Monokuma is forbidden from participating in a murder. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} The… the heck is this?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} We’ve got to sleep out here? That sucks man!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} That’s right, this building will be your dormitory until a murder takes place! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But… why? I don’t understand this at all! 

 

Hikari: {Sad} He’s trying to divide us… that way it’ll be harder for us to deal with the affected people! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I believe that to be the case… by separating us into two groups we will have no idea what is happening on the other side… creating more tension in the process… 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Well, you know what they say… 

 

Hayato: Divide to conquer?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} No, I was going to talk about how the bear is the best animal… but yeah sure, divide to conquer. 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} God dammit… if we’re split up, the risks are so much bigger… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We’ll… we’ll be fine guys! As long as we take care of each other, everything will be fine!

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Yeah right… 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Ew, you bastards can keep the hopeful talk for when I’m gone… it’s making me sick.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Then why don’t you just fuck off huh? 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} B-But… I’m not done!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Then, hurry up!

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Fine, if you’re going to be so stressful about it all, I'll get to it.

 

We’re the stressful ones? That’s funny. 

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Wait a second, what's this second rule about?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Oh that? It's just so you don't suspect me of anything… I know you guys, every time there's a murder you'll start by accusing me… well, now it's official and you won't have no choice but to believe me that one of your classmate's the blackened upupupu…

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Also… I did help Yoshi just a bit too much last time, so it is only fair that I stay completely out of it this time!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Please, don't talk about him…

 

I guess it's not a bad thing that this rule's around… but there won't be any more murders so that's pointless. 

 

Monokuma: Anyway, I’ll just announce tonight’s groups and we can call it a night. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} As a quick parenthesis, as you may have guessed, Reijiro and Raiko’s situation being… what they are, they will always be selected on the West Wing group to keep matters simple. 

 

Mmh… guess it would have been quite impossible for Raiko to be moved to the east wing.

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Here we go, the West team will be composed of : Reijiro, Raiko, Hikari, Kôzuke, Shinto and Tadao. 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Which means that the East team is made up of : Jessie, Fusume, Kenji, Oriana, Yoko and Hayato!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hm… I guess that this will do.

 

Shinto: {Looks down} Yoko… we’re being separated again.

 

Yoko: {Angry} … 

 

Yoko: {Kisses framed picture of Shinto} It’s okay my love… just take care of yourself… I’ll see you in the morning!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} R-Right… you too!

 

Huh… this is quite a different type of reaction than the one she had last time they were put in different groups… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: Shinto and Jessie.

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Alright, let’s get along well, Shinto-kun.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Of course-

 

Yoko: {Angry} WAIT A GODDAMN SECOND! WHY IS SHINTO NOT WITH ME?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Come on, darling, no need to scream.

 

Yoko: {Angry} Do you not care? We’re not paired up and you just don’t give a shit. You like her is that it?

 

Shinto: N-no, of course not.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Maybe she realised that she doesn’t have to worry as much as she does… it’s good for the both of them if she becomes less possessive I guess. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Do the rest of you have anything to say?

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} I guess we’re good man. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} You take care of yourself bro! You better be alive when I see you tomorrow!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Y-Yeah, right. 

 

Tadao: {Malicious smile} Anyone wanna switch sides? My group is boring!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} There will be no side switch! That is strictly prohibited!

 

Tadao: {Amused} Hehe… fine. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hikari. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Uh… yes?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Take care of Reijiro for me will you?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Of course! You can count on me! 

 

This is going to be the fourth day without food for Reijiro… things are going to get worse and worse huh?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Oh, also. I’ve left a paper with the Raiko shifts in front of the isolation room. 

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Raiko shift?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Everything’s explained on the paper… don’t worry. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Let’s just make sure she’s kept up to date with what’s happening. 

 

It’s true… she’s been left alone all day… it’s probably good for someone to check on her. 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Alrighty, enough chit-chatting y’all. Night time will start in under half an hour

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} May I remind you that if you fail to make it to the correct wing when night time begins you’ll be executed on the spot. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} That’s all. Hurry to your side and of course… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Have a fun night upupupupupu! {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} You heard the bear everyone, let’s get it moving back to our respective wing. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} I’ll miss you guys! Take care of each other please!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Don’t worry, we’ll be fine! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} One last thing. If there’s an emergency… press the SOS button on the water bath control panel. That way people on both sides of the building will be kept in the loop. 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Good idea! 

 

The control panel… I remember seeing that. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Luckily for me… the control panel has little instructions on it. Let’s see… 

 

This first lever controls the volume of water in the corridor. So I was right, this is a water bath! Guess I shouldn’t touch that just yet… I don’t want to get my feet wet. 

 

Next, the three smaller levers, labelled A, B and C action some type of rope to pop in and out of the ceiling… that explains why that ceiling looks so weird. 

 

I assume the panels on the ceiling tilt in order to let these ropes fall down. 

 

Not quite sure what the use of these ropes could be but… oh well. Guess it’s good to know that they’re here. 

 

Finally, the last button is the SOS button. It will ring a strong alarm in both wings… Now this one’s really useful… If there ever is an emergency… this is the place to go! Then again, I hope nobody will have to call for help using this… ever. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Yoko: {Happy} Good night everyone!

 

… 

 

On these words of encouragement, we split ways. 

 

… 

 

{Auto-move to East Wing, Jessie, Fusume, Kenji, Oriana and Yoko are all here} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I guess that’s all of us. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Wh-Where are we even supposed to sleep?

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} Look Oriana-chan! Monokuma has set up some mattresses for us all! We can move them wherever you feel like sleeping!

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} I’d… uh… quite e-enjoy sleeping in the l-lounge, I think!

 

Jessie: Lounge it is then! 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} We do not have to all sleep in the same room… but do keep me posted on where you intend to sleep. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Yeah… I guess you do need to know where we are before the motive hits. 

 

Gosh… I’d almost forgotten about that… that emotions thing is going to start again… probably worse than before. 

 

I can only hope I don’t get affected huh?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaaah! Wh-What if it affects me?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Nothing bad will happen to you Oriana-chan! I won’t let it!

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} I guess we’ll just see who gets hit then… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Actually, I think I have a better idea than just waiting around. 

 

Hayato: And that is? 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Monokuma said that his machine will only be activated from night time on. We still have some time before that happens… so why not go to sleep before it even begins!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Mon dieu ! That way, it wouldn’t even affect us to start with!

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} We don’t know that for sure… maybe the thing will wake us up!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Maybe so, but we have to try it just in case! 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I mean… there’s nothing wrong with trying… 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Fine… I guess we can only hope that thing doesn’t stop us from sleeping. 

 

Jessie: The quicker we sleep the better right!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Correct, we need to be asleep by the time the motive is activated.

 

Jessie: {Determined} Then there’s no time to waste! C’mon Oriana-chan.

 

Oriana: {Shy look} I’m uh… c-c-coming!

 

Jessie: {Happy} Boas noites everyone! 

 

They both left with their mattresses. 

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} The rest of you should do the same… this seems to be the most probable way to avoid being affected. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Alright, if they’re sleeping in the lounge, I’ll take the swimming pool. 

 

Yoko: {Runs hand through hair} Well, I’m coming with you big guy… there’s no way I’m sleeping alone. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Fine by me… but a word of warning, if you snore, I will drown you!

 

Yoko: {Playful} I’d like to see you try! 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Good night guys. {Leaves} 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Come get us if anything happens! {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Let’s hope the plan works… I wish I could communicate with the guys in the other wing… but that seems complicated. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I suppose our only choice is to go to bed!

 

Hayato: Yeah, you’re right, I’m crossing my fingers… 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} It has to work, if it doesn’t then… I guess we’ll have to handle that situation. 

 

Hayato: We’ll talk about that then. For now, let’s just hope and go to sleep calmly. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} You can take the Spa. I’ll just sleep in the corridor. 

 

Hayato: Oh okay… are you sure you don’t want to sleep with me?

 

Fusume: {Blushing} Wh-What are you saying?

 

Hayato: N-Nonononononono! That’s not what I meant! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Stop blushing, you’re making it worse!

 

Hayato: O-okay, I’m leaving now. 

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} I’ll be able to get to any room quickly from the corridor… don’t worry about me. 

 

Hayato: Alright, then. Wake me up if you need anything!

 

Fusume: {Content} Good night Hayato.

 

{Fades to black} 

 

That can fit right in the top 5 most embarrassing moments of my life… easily. 

 

{Auto-move to Spa} 

 

I guess this is home for now. It feels really weird to sleep somewhere other than my room, I got used to it by now. 

 

… 

 

I set up my mattress on top of the massage table, took my coat and my shoes off and got ready for bed. 

 

… 

 

I guess it could be worse… the mattress and this table make a decent bed. 

 

Still, I have to hope that sleeping will allow us to bypass the motive. It would be the first time that we manage to escape Monokuma’s motives… thinking about it, he’d probably take it very badly but at least it gives us some time. 

 

Hopefully, the others on the west wing are coping… we’ll have to tell them about this plan tomorrow morning. I’m sure they’ll make it through the night. No matter how tough these emotions will get, together, we’ll make it through. 

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a bright pink pyjama, holding some a teacup in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Attention to all residents, it is 10PM and night time is now in action, as you know some areas will be off limit until the morning and it is now prohibited to cross the water bath to the opposite wing. It’s time to let the emotions run loose baby! 

 

{The tv screen cuts off}

 

The night time announcement…!? Already? 

 

Shit, shit, fuck…!  I lost too much time, I’ve got to sleep. Quickly. 

 

Before that thing takes effect.

 

Quickly!

 

Quickly!

 

Oh no… what the fuck’s going to happen to me!?

 

Please, let this work… please… give me more time!

 

Come on Hayato, sleep… sleep… sleep… 

 

Sleep, sleep, sleep sleep, sleep.

 

Sleep… sleep… 

 

… 

 

Sleep… 

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

Monokuma Theater

 

Monokuma: I challenge you with a hypothetical question… would you rather be sentenced to death or to lifetime isolation?

 

Monokuma: We’ve already talked about the death penalty and about how justifiable it really is yes…

 

Monokuma: However, is it really the worst thing you can inflict on a criminal?

 

Monokuma: Murderers should be punished, of course… and it’s only fair that death is the punishment for death-inducing… otherwise known as murder. 

 

Monokuma: But if you think about it, A life sentence is basically a death sentence… you will die in prison for your crime… it’ll just take a loooooot longer. 

 

Monokuma: To me, that’s so much more despair inducing! Why kill someone in an instant if you can make them suffer for a lifetime?

 

Monokuma: Wouldn’t death be so much more hard to cope with if it took an eternity!?

 

Monokuma: After all, a lifetime is the closer we get to infinity… it is as far as we can go. 

 

Monokuma: So why not stretch the moment of death to its longest point…? 

 

Monokuma: Boom, you’re welcome! That’s infinite despair for ya!

 

Notes:

Well, that's a lot of revelations for one chapter! I guess we'll find out if Fusume's plan really worked in the next one!

Here's the next FTE vote : https://www.strawpoll.me/18655232
but as usual votes in the comments will be counted.
On a side note, Reijiro and Raiko have been excluded from the poll as neither of them are really available for hanging out, this also explains why Reijiro wasn't chosen for this chapter despite having the most votes.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and as usual please leave feedback and theories in the comments, we're getting closer and closer to the climax so now's the time to make your death predictions!

Thanks again for reading and see you in the next one ;)

Chapter 32: Chapter 3 : At the Mercy of our Emotions : Daily Life part 4

Notes:

We're back! FTEs this time around go to Yoko and Hikari,

A word of warning, this chapter might get pretty intense... so get ready for that.

Enjoy :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

???: Hayato! Wake up! Quickly!

 

Wh-What’s… who is that?

 

{Scene opens up mimicking Hayato’s eyes opening} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Did you not hear me!? It’s urgent!

 

It’s the middle of the night… if Fusume’s waking me up then could it mean that…? 

 

Hayato: Wh-What’s happening? Is somebody…?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} N-No… at least not on this side. 

 

Oh thank god. 

 

Hayato: Then… what happened? 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Come to the corridor and see for yourself… let’s just say our plan didn’t end up working out. 

 

The plan… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Actually, I think I have a better idea than just waiting around. 

 

Hayato: And that is? 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Monokuma said that his machine will only be activated from night time on. We still have some time before that happens… so why not go to sleep before it even begins!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Mon dieu ! That way, it wouldn’t even affect us to start with!

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} We don’t know that for sure… maybe the thing will wake us up!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Maybe so, but we have to try it just in case! 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I mean… there’s nothing wrong with trying… 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Fine… I guess we can only hope that thing doesn’t stop us from sleeping. 

 

Jessie: The quicker we sleep the better right!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Correct, we need to be asleep by the time the motive is activated.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

That plan… didn’t work?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I said this was urgent dammit!

 

Hayato: S-Sorry, let’s go!

 

Dreading what I would find once I’d get there, I made my way to the corridor and saw: 

 

{Auto-move to West Wing corridor} 

 

Kenji: {Crying} We’re all gonna dieeeeeeee!

 

Kenji?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} K-Kenji… p-please stop crying!

 

Jessie: {Horrified} AHHHHHHHHHHH! I WANT TO GO HOME!

 

Hayato: J-Jessie too?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} That’s not all… 

 

Yoko: {Depressed} Is there… really a point to us staying alive anymore?

 

Oh boy. 

 

Oriana: {Crying} Somebody p-p-please help me!

 

Hayato: Oriana too?

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Mmh… no, I think that is just the way she usually acts. 

 

Oh… yeah. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} I need help h-here!

 

Kenji: {Crying} We all need help! We’re never going to make it out of this fucking place!

 

Jessie: {Tearing up} AHHHHHHH!

 

Hayato: Can somebody please tell me what the hell is going on!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Oriana woke me up… apparently Jessie suddenly started  screaming her lungs out sometime after the night time announcement. 

 

She did? How did it not wake me up?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I went to the pool to check on Kenji and Yoko and found them… the way they are now. 

 

Kenji: {Sad} *Snif* *Snif* I don’t want to die… 

 

Yoko: {Depressed} There is no reason to keep fighting… We’re all drowning anyways… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Y-Yoko! Don’t say s-such a h-h-horrible thing… e-everyone has a r-reason to be alive!

 

Hayato: The three of them got affected then huh?

 

Fusume: {Confident} That’s the gist of it… but it’s somewhat different this time. 

 

Hayato: Different… how is it different?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It appears they’re all subjected to the same emotion: Sadness… simply under different forms. 

 

That is quite different from the first time we encountered the motive… last time it was a bunch of different emotions, this time they appear to all be feeling the same way. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Kenji is feeling sorry for himself, Jessie is being hysteric and Yoko… basically seems depressed to me. 

 

Jessie: {Tearing up} Mes jau praradome tiek daug žmonių ... visus keturis, mano kaltė! Aš turėjau ką nors padaryti!

 

Um… what?

 

Jessie: {Horrified} 原谅我!!!!!!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Kyaaah! Sh-she’s so sad that she’s mixing up languages!

 

Jessie: {Tearing up}  Omnia morte et paeniteat me!!!!!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} I’m sure she’s saying something important… but I don’t understand what she’s saying! 

 

Hayato: This… this is bad! Fusume, what do we do!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I don’t know… sadly, there seems to be no way to calm them down other than to wait for that machine to shut down. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s the way it went last night for me… I don’t think it’ll be any different today. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} At some point the effects of this motive will simply dissipate. 

 

Hayato: So… we can’t do anything but wait? And just leave them the way they are?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} That seems to be the case. Oriana and I tried getting them to regain their composure… but that obviously wasn’t too successful. 

 

Hayato: Wait, a second… how long ago did they… start showing symptoms?

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Right after the night time announcement… so about 3 hours ago.

 

Hayato: THREE HOURS? Wh-Why didn’t you wake me up earlier?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} It’s nothing against you Hayato… but in the state that they were a few hours ago, it was impossible to just leave them alone for me to come get you. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I came to you once the situation was calmer… don’t take it personally. 

 

This… this is the calmer situation? 

 

Hayato: Couldn't you just have screamed my name from the corridor? I’m sure I would have heard you.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Mmh… that would have been useless, the spa door is completely soundproof. That will explain why you did not hear Jessie’s screams. 

 

Jessie : ช่วยเราด้วย!!!!!

 

Hayato: Hm, I guess that makes sense. 

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} K-Kyaah! Th-They won’t stop crying!

 

Hayato: So what do we do now…?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} The exact same thing that we’ve been doing for the past hours… watch over them in the hope that they can transition back to normal soon. 

 

Jessie: {Tearing up}  Я не знаю, что я говорю больше!

 

Kenji: {Crying} Why me…?

 

… 

 

Wait… 

 

Hayato: Fusume… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Where’s Yoko!?

 

Oriana: {Crying} Kyaaaaaah! She’s g-g-gone!

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Oriana!? Weren’t you watching over her!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I got d-d-distracted with Kenji and J-Jessie while you two were t-talking! S-S-S-SORRYYYYY!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Dammit! In her current state we can just leave her alone!

 

Hayato: With the second motive still active, she can’t have gone very far!

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} She isn’t in control of herself! She might try to cross the water bath and then… {Hurt} Oh god… 

 

Hold on… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Yoko: {Depressed} There is no reason to keep fighting… We’re all drowning anyways… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Y-Yoko! Don’t say s-such a h-h-horrible thing… e-everyone has a r-reason to be alive!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: I… I think I know where she went!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Where is that!? Tell me, quick!

 

Hayato: There’s no time… 

 

Yoko… the thing she said… I have to make it… I have to make it!

 

Hayato: Stay here!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato, wait!

 

{Auto-move to Indoor Swimming pool} 

 

{Scene opens, immediate zoom on the pool itself, Yoko’s body seen floating face down} 

 

N-NO!

 

Hayato: YOKO!

Without a second to think I took my scarf and my coat off and jumped inside the pool. 

 

… 

 

I won’t be too late… not again… not again!

 

… 

 

{Hayato is seen dragging Yoko out of the pool} 

 

Hang on… please hang on Yoko!

 

{They are both out of the pool now} 

 

Hayato: Come on Yoko… don’t do this to us!

 

Instinctively… I put my fingers on her neck and felt… 

 

Hayato: A pulse… there’s a pulse!

 

She’s alive… thank god. 

 

Hayato: Wake up Yoko… wake up… 

 

???: Hayato! Tell me that she’s okay!

 

I turned around to face the person who called out to me. 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} What the hell happened here!?

 

Hayato: She was in the pool… I… I jumped in and now… she’s breathing but she’s unconscious… I think.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Mmh… I see… she must have fainted like the other two. 

 

Hayato: The other two?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Help me carry her back to the corridor… I’ll explain everything once we’re there.

 

Kenji and Jessie also fainted…? What the hell does that mean? 

 

… 

 

I guess I have no choice but to wait for Fusume to explain. I need answers… quickly. 

 

{Auto-move to East Wing - Corridor}

 

{Jessie and Kenji can both be seen lying on the floor}

 

Ok my turn to be confused… 

 

Hayato: Can somebody explain what the hell is going on here!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} They j-j-just both stopped t-talking suddenly and then… uh… I th-think they just f-fell asleep.

 

They fell asleep?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Something similar happened to me too last night. I suddenly fell asleep and woke up with the symptoms gone. 

 

Hayato: So you’re saying… that we’re done for the night?

 

Fusume: {Confident} It would appear so… I believe the motive has stopped affecting them. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Yoko must have fainted after she got in the pool. Thank god that you got there in time… or else… 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} B-But… what was she doing in the pool anyways?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} … 

 

Judging from the way she’d been acting… I think the answer’s pretty obvious. However, neither Fusume nor I was ready to admit it out loud. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Let’s just… forget about it for now. She’s fine. They’re all fine. 

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} Well… I h-h-have to s-say… I’m qu-quite glad it’s over.

 

Fusume: {Softly} Rightly so, Oriana… you’ve been very brave. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Why don’t you both go back to sleep?

 

Hayato: Wait… seriously? 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I’ll stay with this lot… just in case they were to wake up. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} There’s no need for all of us to stay here… go. Rest. You’ve both deserved it. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} O-Okay… b-but promise me you’ll w-wake me up… uh… if you n-need anything. 

 

Fusume: {Content} I promise.

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} Alright… g-good night everyone! {Leaves}

 

… 

 

I can’t just go back to sleep can I? I shouldn’t just leave Fusume alone with this much responsibility… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} You can go too Hayato you know… 

 

Hayato: After everything you’ve done… are you sure you don’t want to sleep? I can watch over them for you!

 

Fusume: {Confident} No, no… it’s quite alright. I don’t mind it. 

 

Fusume: {Content} Truth is, you look exhausted yourself. You should go back to bed. 

 

Hayato: You sure?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Positive. 

 

Well… if she says so… 

 

… 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Something’s on your mind… what is it?

 

Hayato: I just wish… I could be more helpful… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} What… what are you talking about?

 

Hayato: You and Reijiro put so much pressure on yourselves… and now that Reijiro’s incapacitated… I feel like all the pressure’s on you. 

 

Hayato: If only… I could help you through this all… help all of us. If only I was stronger.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} … 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} “If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world”. 

 

Fusume: That was my mentor’s favorite quote. 

 

Hayato: Your mentor…?

 

That’s the first time I hear about them. 

 

Hayato: Isn’t that… quite a sad quote though?

 

Fusume: {Confident} No… the way I see it, this quote is full of hope. Thinking like you’re thinking and looking back with regrets is building an emotional rampart that will stop you from going forward. 

 

Fusume: {Softly} Don’t say if only… be proud of the things you’ve done… they’re the choices which brought you this far. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} We wouldn’t be alive without you Hayato… you helped us through both trials massively. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} So be proud… and look forward instead of backwards… got it?

 

Hayato: I… I… yes, you’re right. I shouldn’t be lamenting on the situation… I should focus on finding a way out and a way to save Reijiro. 

 

Fusume: {Content} That’s more like it. Now go get some rest. Tomorrow will be an important day. 

 

Hayato: V-Very well… thank you for this Fusume… 

 

Fusume: {Softly} I’m here for you Hayato… always. 

 

Fusume… 

 

{Auto-move to Spa}

 

Without a second thought… I went back to my makeshift bed. 

 

The usual Hayato would have worried for minutes on end about the state of the other three… but I have complete faith in Fusume. I know she’ll keep them safe. 

 

A few seconds later, I was fast asleep… as if nothing had happened. 

 

… 

 

… 

 

… 

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a jacuzzi, holding some sort of cocktail glass in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Gooood Morning! This is your director speaking, it’s now 8:00 AM! Look out the window, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. A perfect weather to kill wouldn’t you say?

Get ready for a spectacular day everyone!

 

You know why… for once, I might agree to that. If we all give it our all, today really could be spectacular. This motive is harsh sure… but what last night has shown me is that we can fight this by all working together. There’s nothing that we can’t overcome if we try our best… 

 

Truth is, I feel very lucky. I was among the few who weren’t affected by the motive on both nights. I can’t overlook how fortunate I’ve been… can’t say I envy the others for what they lived last night. 

 

… 

 

*Yawn* I definitely didn’t sleep as much as I would have wanted… but in these circumstances it’s better than nothing. I should go check on Fusume and the others. 

 

Talking about the others… the prohibition to cross the water bath corridor has been lifted. We should go check on the West Wing group. I really hope that things went okay on their side… and that nothing bad happened. 

 

If somebody had the same idea that Yoko had… 

 

No, that’s not possible, there would have been an announcement. 

 

I should get off my butt and go see what’s happening. That’s the priority. 

 

{Move to East Wing Corridor} 

 

{Fusume, Oriana, Yoko, Jessie and Kenji can all be seen} 

 

Fusume: {Dozing off} … 

 

She looks exhausted… that was to be expected wasn’t it. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Fusume! W-Wake up! H-Hayato’s here!

 

Fusume: {Dozing off} Uh… wh-what now?

 

Yoko: Hayato!

 

And without another warning, Yoko ran to me and… 

 

{Yoko can be seen tightly hugging Hayato who look very flustered} 

 

Yoko: Oriana told me what happened! You… you saved my life!

 

Hayato: Oh uh… it was nothing.

 

Yoko: It wasn’t nothing! I was unconscious after accidentally falling in the pool… if you hadn’t come I would have drowned and… died!

 

Accidentally huh? I guess she’s not aware of the real reason she jumped in the pool… then again that does make sense considering Oriana was her source of information. 

 

Yoko: I’m eternally grateful to you Hayato! Seriously, ask me anything you want! Anything!

 

Hayato: Uh… you can let go of me now Yoko… you’re a little too close. 

 

Kenji: HAHAHA, looks like Hayadog isn’t used to this much cleavage this close to his face.

 

Hayato: I… I d-didn’t say that! And don’t call me Hayadog dammit!

 

Yoko: You really had to ruin the moment big guy…  didn’t you?

 

{Back to normal}

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Sorry boo, I couldn’t help it!

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} Anyway, thank you again Hayato. You really did save my life. 

 

I… I did. Truth is if I hadn’t figured out where she was going… she might not be here with us now. I got lucky, sure, but I saved somebody’s life. Me… Hayato Seiki, saved a life. That’s gonna take a while to digest. 

 

Hayato: Well, I’m happy to see that you’re all back to normal! Looks like the motive still wears off after some time. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Back to normal… yes. Well, I have the biggest capitis ever right now… ahem, headache that is. 

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} Fuck me… it’s even stronger than last morning’s headache… I guess it really is a side effect of the motive. 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Same here… my skull feels like it’s going to explode… but the relief of knowing we’re all fine. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I wouldn’t say all !

 

Oriana: {Shy look} F-Fusume! You’re uh… a-a-awake!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Of course, I’m awake, why wouldn’t I be awake?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Oh I don’t know… maybe because you were fully asleep just now?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} N-Nonsense! I am feeling just fine!

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Girl… you really should take a break y’know. 

 

Hayato: I’ve been telling her that for days! You need to get sufficient sleep-

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} My sleeping schedule isn’t the matter at hand! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Then perdón por preguntar … but what is? 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} The water bath ban has been lifted, we can go to the west wing and find out how the others are doing!

 

Fusume: {Yawning} I’m guessing their night was as eventful as ours. 

 

Oriana: {Crying} Kyaaah! That’s right! Wh-What if one of th-them… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Let’s not go that far little one. I’m sure those of them who weren’t affected took care of the unlucky few. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Correct, we should ask them how it went before we worry about their situation. 

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Expect the best but be prepared for the worst… that’s how y’all should learn to live. 

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} I quite like that mentality you know… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Enough small talk, it is now time to cross the water bath. 

 

Hayato: You’re right… I can’t wait to see the others… even If we’re expecting the best, I’m still curious to hear how the night went for them. 

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} I’m finally going to see my Shinto again… finally!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} If everybody’s ready to leave then let us go. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-Wait for m-me!

 

{Everybody leaves the scene, Hayato is left alone in the corridor} 

 

Fusume’s right, there’s no time to lose here-

 

Wait a second. What’s that… thing on the floor? Is that what I think it is?

 

{Examine Small Object} 

 

I picked up the object which as I expected was… 

 

{Close-up on Hayato’s hand, he is holding a small toy car}

 

This toy car, I’ve seen it before… it’s Kôzuke’s! I’ve seen him play with it on multiple occasions. 

 

But… what is it doing here? Kôzuke wasn’t in our group so that means he must have left it before last night’s announcement… 

 

I should hold on to it for now. 

 

Now that this is out of the way, I should make my way to the building’s entrance. 

 

{Move to Red Building - Entrance} 

 

{The entire group but Reijiro and Raiko are present} 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Good morning guys! I’m glad to see that you’re all okay!

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} Shinto!!!!

 

The pair hugged. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} H-Hey, everyone. 

 

Hayato: Hikari… are you feeling okay?

 

Hikari: {Sad} I’m fine. It’s just… this stupid headache is killing me. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Headache…? So you guys also got hit with that motive?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Obviously we did! Didn’t Monokuma make it clear that this would happen!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Wait, before anything else… what happened with you guys on the east side?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Well… to make it simple… it went like this:

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

Jessie quickly told the others about the way our night went and how we tried to escape it by sleeping early. Mentions of her hysterics as well as of Yoko’s poolside… accident made  some of us gasp in awe. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Sleeping before the motive could hit you… what a shame that it didn’t work… 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} Yoko… you almost died… 

 

Yoko: {Happy} I did… but Hayato saved my life and now I’m okay. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Damn… guess we were lucky that Hayato was in the right place at the right time man!

 

Yeah… we’re lucky. That’s what it is. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Wh-What about you g-guys… what was your night l-like?

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} I’d say… eventful is the word. 

 

Eventful?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} The emotion we were affected with wasn’t sadness… so our night went pretty differently than yours. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Then… what emotion was it. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Well, y’know… it’s quite hard to describe it. 

 

Tadao: {Sombre} If I had to resume it in one word… I guess these motherfuckers were just hella excited all night. 

 

Hayato: Excited!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Yup… trust me when I say it was a real mess. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Tell me, which of you got it then?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} It was Kôzuke, Raiko and myself. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} R-Raiko-chan was affected too?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Yeah… and it was Shinto’s turn to stay with her as well. 

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Mmh… let’s just say I’ve had better nights. 

 

Hayato: I don’t think I want to imagine what excited Raiko would be like. 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} You really don’t haha! I spent a number of hours listening to how she was going to manipulate each of us into killing one another and how much joy she’d take from it!

 

Yoko: {Shocked} She… she really said that?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} She did… but don’t worry, she can’t do anything as long as she’s in that chair.

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Even th-though it’s… uh… unfair towards her. I g-guess I am quite reassured that sh-she’s stuck there… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} We all are Oriana-chan! I feel much safer knowing she can’t do her… things. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} So Raiko… went full Raiko mode is what you’re saying. 

 

Shinto: {Serious} Essentially… but she did fall asleep after a few hours and then it was just fine. 

 

Hm… it looks like the effects really were identical to the people on our side. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} And what about the two others… did anything particular happen?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I don’t want to… talk about it.

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Ugh, if you won’t then I will! With Shinto stuck with psychobitch over there, I had to take care of these two moron while they were on their acid trip. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Acid… wh-what now? 

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} Tadao… try to speak politely, can’t you see that there are young people here?

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} I’m literally the youngest one here… ugh whatever fuck you guys. {Leaves} 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Come the fuck back here right now!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Fine! The hell do you want from me?

 

Hayato: Just please tell us what happened last night!

 

Tadao: {Sombre} I spent the night with Kôzuke and Hikari, obviously I didn’t want to but I couldn’t leave them alone while they were going completely bonkers!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} We didn’t go bonkers!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} You tried putting makeup on me and then called me sexist for not wanting to put a wig on!

 

Hikari: {Mutters} I mean… I did have a point. 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} So yeah… I guess nobody’s life was in danger but it didn’t stop it from being a serious pain in my ass. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} And what about Kôzuke, was he alright?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} I was just fine! 

 

Tadao: {Amused} Hm… to be perfectly fair, I didn’t see you much around after some time… I wonder where the hell you went. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} What the hell are you talking about man? Where did you want me to have gone?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Tadao! You were supposed to keep watch on us both wern’t you!?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Well sorry but maybe if you hadn’t decided to go all Bobbi Brown on me we wouldn’t have been in that situation to start with!

 

Fusume: {Confident} This doesn’t matter… you all did your best and we kept each other safe. That’s what matters.

 

Fusume: {Content} I’m proud of you Tadao for taking care of your classmates.

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Oh, uh… you are?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} I mean um… fuck you bitch, I don’t need your validation!

 

Right… that’s more like it. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Well, I guess this motive isn’t that bad after all!

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} I wouldn’t be so confident if I were you… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Yoko… what are you talking about?

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} The way I see it, this will only be going crescendo… the first night only four people got affected, then we were six… 

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} It’s only fair to assume that tonight will be worse. The emotions get stronger and stronger and the less people are left unaffected the harder it will be to handle!

 

Jessie: {Sad} You don’t have to be so pessimistic about it… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} It’s not pessimistic… it’s realistic. Yoko’s right. We won’t be able to deal with this motive for long. 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Then what the fuck are you proposing? Are you saying we should kill to stop this bullshit from happening again!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} NO! Of course that’s not the solution… but the both of them have a point.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Huh? They do!?

 

Fusume: {Confident} The conditions of this motive will likely get more and more dire as time goes… we need to find a way around it before it breaks us. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} And we do that how exactly? 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} That I do not know… but perhaps it should be the main focus of today’s investigation. 

 

Oriana: {Tightens bun} Are we n-not looking for a way to save R-Reijiro anymore?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} We have no choice but to try to save Reijiro… he won’t survive for that much longer if we leave him as is… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} However, this motive affects all of us, including him! Finding a way to escape it should be our main priority.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I will spend the day taking care of Reijiro… but I trust the rest of you will do your best to investigate!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} You can count on us! We’re used to it by now!

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} I mean… we still haven’t found anything after all these days… but fine, I guess it’s in my interest to help you idiots. 

 

Jessie: {Happy with thumbs up} I’m always happy when we work together nicely! I’m sure this will go fine!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Please Fusume, just keep us posted on how Reijiro is doing! 

 

Fusume: {Content} I will do just that… and I won’t hesitate to ask for help if needed. 

 

Hayato: That’s good… let us get the burden off your shoulders for once. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Now… I believe that’s all we had to talk about. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Actually, if y’all don’t mind. Somebody’s got to check in with Raiko during the day… the shifts are still displayed on the isolation room door. 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Ugh, you better hope that it ain’t me. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I’d uh… r-r-rather not s-spend alone t-time with Raiko.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} She’s restrained anyway man… what could she do to you?

 

Yoko: {Sad} That girl is a threat… even tied to that chair.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I’m sure that covers everything we had to address. It’s already quite late in the morning after this late start. Let us get to our daily lives. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Talk among yourselves… investigate… brainstorm. Do whatever you need to do to make tonight easier. 

 

Tadao: {Amused} You got it! I’ll solve your stupid fucking riddles!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} You can count on us Fusume… just like we count on you. 

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

It feels so nice to finally have the group united… even in these hard times and with these horrible motives over our heads… even after having lost 25% of the group. We’ve never been this close and if one thing’s for sure, it’s that there’s nothing that a tight group of ultimates can’t do!

 

{Auto-Move to Hayato’s room}

 

We said we’d try to think of a way to bypass tonight’s motive… it won’t be easy but if last night’s plan almost worked… surely, there must be a way out there. 

 

Fusume’s counting on us… and Reijiro… poor Reijiro, he’s likely to also be affected by the motive eventually. Considering the state that he’s in, it would only be unfair for him to be subjected to both motives at once. 

 

Reijiro’s situation really is the most unfair… I know Fusume said she’d handle him but surely he’ll die if he doesn’t get to eat in the coming days… this whole three weeks theory is nice but clearly he’s not fit to survive all this time without food. 

 

If only I could help him… 

 

… 

 

No, Fusume’s right. “If only” isn’t the right way to handle things. I need to look forward. 

 

I need to make today productive… time to get my ass of this bed and start thinking of the way I want to spend my day.

 

The choice is mine. 

 

{Free time starts} 

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor} 

 

{Move to Restaurant} 

 

{Scene opens on restaurant, it looks very empty without the whole group present. Only Yoko is here} 

 

{Talk to Yoko} 

 

Yoko: {Playful} If it isn’t my favorite life saver that came to visit his favorite damsel in distress… 

 

Yoko: {Confused} Hm… can I really have a “favorite” life saver as such? It’s not like that many people saved my life?

 

Yoko: {Happy} Anyway, this whole motive business has stressed me out, I’m making smoothies to relax before going back to investigating. 

 

Yoko: {Playful} And guess what, I’ve got this banana-strawberry extravaganza with your name on it! Feel like joining me?

 

Do I want to hang out with Yoko?

 

{Yes/No}

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} I knew you couldn’t resist the appeal of your daily intake of Vitamin C!!! 

 

Yoko: {Playful} I’m just kidding! C’mon, take a seat with me!

 

… 

 

I spent the morning chatting with Yoko while sipping on one of her smoothies. She was as easy to talk to as she’s usually been so the time went by alarmingly fast. 

 

We definitely grew closer. 

 

… 

 

I’ve been meaning to ask for a little while now… there won’t be a better time so might as well get it over with. 

 

Hayato: So, Yoko, last time we hung out we talked about your modelling career… you left me on quite a cliffhanger, so I was wondering if you wanted to finish your explanations for me!

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} Explanations? What are you uh… t-talking about?

 

Hayato: Well, you told me that you forced to end your career early because of… “these people”. 

 

Yoko: {Shocked} Ggh!

 

Hayato: You never ended up telling me who these people were. 

 

Yoko: {Sad} … 

 

Oh boy, did I strike a nerve again. 

 

Hayato: If… if it’s such a touchy subject we can talk about something else you know! 

 

Yoko: … 

 

Hayato: I didn’t realise you didn’t want to talk about it. I’ll move on. 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} It’s fine… ask away. It doesn’t really matter anyway. 

 

Hayato: Are you sure…? I don’t want to trigger bad memories. 

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} It’s too late for that… but it’s okay, I won’t be mad at you for it… 

 

Yoko: {Playful} I’m sure you’re only asking because you care about me! 

 

Hayato: Y-Yeah, that’s it! That’s why I asked. 

 

Yoko: {Sad} Well… the people who forced me to stop… it was Shinto’s family.

 

Hayato: Shinto’s family!? But why the heck would they stop you from doing what you loved? 

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} It’s… it’s a complicated story. 

 

Hayato: I’ve got time. 

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} Well… you see… 

 

{Black and white picture of Shinto in a fancy looking chair surrounded by smartly dressed adults, a regal house can be seen in the background}

 

Yoko: Not many people know this, but Shinto and I come from very different backgrounds… it’s a real coincidence that we met. 

 

Hayato: Different backgrounds? How so?

 

Yoko: I grew up in a very modest family… both my parents had low income jobs and my older brother and I went to a public school. 

 

Yoko: Shinto on the other hand… he comes from a wealthy family… extremely wealthy in fact. 

 

R-Really? How did I not know that. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Yoko: {Kisses framed picture of Shinto} You see, Shinto really doesn’t want this social difference to matter in our relationship. That’s why you’ll never hear him talk about his financial situation. 

 

Yoko: {Sad} But the truth is that he’s filthy rich… and even though he’s one of the most humble people I’ve ever met… I can’t say the same about his parents. 

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} The Masada family can be traced back for centuries as one of the major bourgeois families of Tokyo. 

 

Well… that’s definitely something I had no idea about. Shinto is so modest and genuine it’s hard to imagine he’s the heir of such an influential family. 

 

Hayato: So… this is all very interesting, of course, but what does it have to do with you?

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} It has everything to do with it… Shinto’s parents are just the definition of… what’s the word… oh yes. 

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} Archaic. 

 

Hayato: Archaic?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} With the way they live, it’s like they’re still in the sixteenth century or something. 

 

Yoko: {Sad} And so they forced me to stop modelling… because it wasn’t “up to their standards”

 

Hayato: But, that makes no sense! How is modelling a bad thing to do? Models are very well perceived by society aren’t they? And the income is also-

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} I was an swimsuit model. 

 

Hayato: … sorry what?

 

Yoko: {Awkwardly} I know it’s unusual… with me being a minor and all… but modelling companies all around told me that my body was perfect… and so that was what I did… 

 

Yoko: {Sad} I loved it, the light of the projectors, the tension of the camera… I loved all of it. 

 

Yoko: {Angry} And these ancient fucks took it away from me! They said I was no better than a cabaret dancer! These two professions have absolutely nothing to do with one another alright!?

 

Hayato: H-Hey, I totally agree with you.

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} Why are you blushing like that!? You’re making it worse!

 

Hayato: S-Sorry!

 

Seriously, why does this keep on happening to me…?

 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} You know what… whatever… I shouldn’t get mad, that stuff’s in the past!

 

Hayato: Wait… I mean, it tells a lot about your nature that you’re willing to let it go… but maybe you shouldn’t.

 

Yoko: {Shocked} I shouldn't?

 

Hayato: If it was that important to you… and they took it away from you without consideration then maybe you should talk to Shinto about it. If you’re put in such a situation just for the sake of your relationship then maybe it’s not that healthy after all… 

 

Yoko: {Angry} … 

 

Yoko: {Sad} … 

 

Yoko: {Kisses framed picture of Shinto} You’ve got it all wrong haha! As I said, that stuff’s in the past. I’m not mad at anyone… especially not at Shinto. 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} He's everything to me... this fan... it's a gift he gave me for our frist anniversary...  yet another reminder of the affection he has for me. 

 

Yoko: {Sad} Everybody knows… that our relationship is perfectly healthy. 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} I’m growing tired of this subject y’know… why don’t we talk about something else huh?

 

Hayato: But… we weren’t done-

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} I said that I was done… let’s move on with it. 

 

Yoko: {Sad} Please. 

 

I’ve obviously pressed too hard on that nerve. I won’t get her to tell me more today. Dammit… I feel like I was so close to getting her to open up completely. 

 

Next time, I guess… 

 

… 

 

Yoko and I continued talking for a few hours after that, even though it was easy to notice that things weren't the same from that point on. Just like last time she directed the all the questions at me and shut me down whenever I’d ask her something. Whatever secret she’s hiding, she’s holding on to it quite tightly. 

 

No matter that, I think I understand her a bit better. 

 

{Yoko’s report card has been updated based on your experience with her} 

 

After she ran out of things to ask me, we mutually decided it was best to leave it at that as lunch time was creeping near. 

 

With nothing left to do, I went back to my room. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room}

 

… 

 

… 

 

… 

 

As I said, it’s almost lunchtime, I should go get something to eat… 

 

… 

 

No, that’s not right. How is it fair that I can eat multiple meals a day while Reijiro has to starve himself to death? I can’t eat without feeling guilty anymore.  

 

The truth is he’s done nothing to deserve such an unfair punishment. 

 

I don’t want him to die… but at the same time I can’t accept the fact that murder is the only solution to save him.

 

What if… what if there was an alternate solution?

 

Everyone’s been asking themselves if there was a way to save him for days now… but we’ve been the obvious.

 

What if we simply fed him without Monokuma noticing!?

 

Yes… that’s it! The stupid bear claims to have eyes and ears everywhere… but I know for a fact that it isn’t possible.

 

I’ll get someone to distract him and I’ll sneak in the infirmary to give him something to eat! 

 

… 

 

Now that I think about it… Fusume probably won’t agree to this plan. It is risky… but I won’t let Reijiro die! That isn’t an option in my mind. 

 

I’ll get the others to help me… and I won’t fail!

 

Let’s see… who are the people most likely to help me while being discreet about it. Tadao and Raiko are already out of the equation because it included the word helpful. 

 

I can’t ask Fusume, she’ll likely reject my proposition. Kenji and Yoko would gladly help but… I did say we had to be discreet… so no. 

 

Oriana and Kôzuke… let’s just say I don’t trust them with such an important mission. That leaves Jessie, Hikari and Shinto… sounds like a dream team to me. 

 

Now, first things first, I’ve got to find them. 

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Talk to Jessie} 

 

Jessie: {Ecstatic} Hayato-kuuuuuun! My rash is gone!!! How great is that!?

 

Hayato: Your what now!?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} My allergy, don’t you remember from yesterday?

 

Hayato: Oh… right. 

 

{Flashback} 

Jessie: {Scared} AHHHHHHHH!

 

Fusume: {Confident} J-Jessie! What’s wrong!?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} That’s definitely not keeping your voice down sis!

 

Jessie: {Livid}ч ертовски дерьмо Is… is… this polyester?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} How the heck are we supposed to know that!?

 

Hayato: Well… most outerwear is made of a blend of polyester and cotton so… I guess it could be… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} But… what’s the problem!

 

Jessie: {Scared} Get it off me! Niha!

 

I got close to Jessie and carefully pulled the fabric off her… however, once it was off, I saw… 

 

{Close-up on Jessie’s arms, they are red and covered with rash} 

 

Jessie: D-Dammit! I’m allergic to polyester. This coat must have caused a reaction. 

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

I didn’t want to have that image back in my brain to be perfectly fair. 

 

Jessie: {Ecstatic} The rash is gone… the headache is gone… this day couldn’t be going any better!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I mean… it would probably be a bit better if we found a solution for tonight… 

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} But other than that, I’m stoked!

 

Hayato: Well, I’m glad to see you in such high spirits… I think I have a way to make this day a bit more special!

 

Jessie: {Ecstatic} No way!!!!!! Dit moi tout!

 

Hayato: Let’s just say… I have a secret mission I’d like you to be a part of. 

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} Secret mission? I love the sound of that!!! Tell me what you need me to do!

 

Hayato: Uh… don’t you want me to tell you what the mission’s actually about?

 

Jessie: {Stroking chin} No you dummy, it wouldn’t be a secret mission if I knew what it was about would it!?

 

Hayato: Uh… I’m not sure you understand what a secret mission is… Either way, I’m going to need you to get Fusume out of the infirmary. 

 

Hayato: If you could distract her, some way or another to get her to leave Reijiro’s bedside that would be ideal. 

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} Say no more. I’ve got you covered… I’ll distract the pakao out of her.

 

Hayato: Also, could you find Shinto and Hikari and ask them to meet me in front of the Spa?

 

Jessie: {Salutes} Yes, sir!

 

Hayato: Are you sure you don’t want me to explain what’s going on…?

 

Jessie: {Posing with finger imitating a gun} No need, operation “distract the ninja” has already begun.

 

Jessie: {Ecstatic} Oh mäi Gott ! That sounds so cool! Jessie Shadow, you’ve made it as a spy!!! I’m so legiiiiiiiiit! {Leaves} 

 

 

Well that was surprisingly easy… guess there’s a special bond between her and spy movies. 

 

Either way, now that the Fusume distraction is out of the way. I should go to the spa to wait on the other two. We’ll be able to speak without Monokuma’s monitoring in there. 

 

Let’s hope Jessie will manage to keep her away long enough. 

 

{Exit Black Building}

 

{Move to Red Building - Entrance} 

 

{Move to Red Building - East Wing} 

 

{Move to Spa} 

 

{Shinto and Hikari are here} 

 

They're here already? Damn, that was fast. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato! Jessie said you needed our help asap!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} What’s up? Nothing bad I hope!

 

Hayato: No, no it’s nothing bad. I just need you guys to assist me. I called you here because it’s the only room without a camera. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Assist you? How?

 

Hayato: I’ve had an idea… to help Reijiro… I can’t do it alone though. 

 

… 

 

I quickly resumed my plan to the both of them, from their participation in distracting Monokuma to Jessie’s in getting the room free of Fusume and finally in me feeding him while all that’s happening. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Hm… that does sound quite risky. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} If we got caught, we’d get in serious trouble Hayato… 

 

Hayato: You guys… 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} But it’s worth it to me! We can’t let Reijiro die without at least trying to fight back a little!

 

Hikari: {Sad} … 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Fine, you’ve got me on board! I won’t just sit here while you guys are saving the day!

 

Hayato: I knew I could count on the two of you! 

 

Shinto: {Serious} So… what do we do exactly?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Here’s my proposal, I’ll go get food at the restaurant, Hayato you go to the infirmary to make sure that the coast is clear, I’ll meet you there.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} While that’s going on, Shinto you summon Monokuma somewhere in the black building… far from the infirmary. 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Finally, whilst Hayato is feeding Reijiro, I’ll go to a room in the yellow building and break a camera… which will make Monokuma come to me. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} He’ll definitely be too preoccupied to get to you Hayato!

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} That does sound like a pretty good plan. Are you sure you won’t get in too much trouble for breaking a camera though?

 

Hikari: {Tightens tie} I probably might… but it’s worth it if it gives Reijiro some time isn’t it?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You’re right… well, there’s no time to waste. Let’s all get into our positions!

 

Hayato: You guys, thank you for being so easy to work with… I’m glad to know you’re both on board!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Of course! Anything for the group! If we work together, then we can’t fail!

 

Shinto: {Serious} What are we waiting for!? Let’s go!

 

Hayato: Yes, let’s!

 

{Shinto and Hikari leave} 

 

Well… I think I chose my teammates pretty wisely… these two are going along exactly as I’d hope. I am quite happy with the state of the plan.  I think there’s a good chance of it working.

 

What am I saying… it has to work! There’s no alternative. 

 

To the infirmary I go! 

 

{Move to Red Building - East wing}

 

{Move to Red Building - West wing}

 

{Move to Infirmary} 

 

{The room is shown to be empty except for Reijiro who’s lying in bed}

 

Nice, Jessie managed to get Fusume out and Hikari left me a bowl of rice and some crackers outside the door. The plan seems to be going to perfection so far… hopefully they’ll keep Monokuma distracted for long enough. 

 

Reijiro: {In bed} F-Fusume… is that you?

 

Reijiro: Y-You, what are you doing here!?

 

Before I even got the chance to answer, Reijiro was already up on his feet. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Why are you here? Where is Fusume, I heard there was an emergency. 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Is th-that food? What is this doing here?

 

Hayato: Relax, Reijiro… just get back in bed, you’re looking very pale. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I will not do anything until you explain to me what you think you are doing.

 

Hayato: Ugh… you really won’t budge will you?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} As I said, I demand answers… 

 

Left without much of a choice, I gave Reijiro a quick resume of our plan.

 

… 

 

Reijiro: {Step back distraught} You… are you insane?

 

Hayato: It’s risky… but it’s worth it. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} No it is not! If you get caught not only will I be executed… but so will you!

 

Hayato: And if I don’t do it then you’ll die! Somebody has to take that risk. 

 

Reijiro: {Opens book} ”Any attempts at feeding him will be punished accordingly” That is what the rule said… do you realise what you are doing!?

 

Hayato: As I said, of course I realise… but I can’t bear having lunch and dinner every day with your starvation on my conscience! 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} B-But… why is it on your conscience of all people… this is not your fault… and in reality the only way to stop this is to commit a murder… and I will not let that happen. 

 

Reijiro: {Sad} Better me than somebody else… sacrifice is a part of a leader’s function. 

 

Hayato: Stop talking dammit!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} I b-beg your pardon?

 

Hayato: Monokuma’s distracted at the moment! The more time you spend arguing with me the likelier are the chances that we get caught in the act! 

 

Hayato: So why don’t you stop being so smug and accept the fact that I’m saving your ass!

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} Ggh… 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} wh-what do I do?

 

Reijiro: {Sad} I cannot your help… if you get caught then your death will be on my conscience… it will have been my fault. 

 

Hayato: It will be your fault because you took too long to eat the fucking food I brought for you! It’ll be fine! Everything’s going to plan at the moment! 

 

Reijiro: {Head down, glasses shining} … 

 

Hayato: Come on Reijiro… just take it one spoon at a time… it’ll be fine. Monokuma won’t know

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, maybe you are right, I should simply accept your help and hope-

 

???: Reijiro! Tell me that you’re okay!

 

That voice… why is she here?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato, what the hell are you doing…?

 

Fusume: {Pulls out kunai} Is that rice? Who brought food in here!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Reijiro… were you about to eat? That’s… that’s impossible. The rules. 

 

Hayato: I know what the rules say Fusume! Now’s not the time to interject, I’ll explain everything to you in due time!

 

???: Hayato-kuuuuuun! Fusume-chan’s on her way!

 

I turned to the door once more.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Oh, she’s here already… hey guys.

 

Hayato: Jessie… I thought I told you that Fusume had to be kept away from here… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} I know… everything was going to plan… but then I said that Raiko-chan was in the yellow building and… I think Fusume-chan figured out that something was fishy… 

 

Ugh… so much for agent Jessie Shadow. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} In case you haven’t heard me, I’ll ask again… What the hell is going on here!?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} I… I… I…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Reijiro! Tell me!

 

Hayato: Fusume, please!

 

Reijiro: {Sad} … Screw it. 

 

Reijiro quickly took the spoon from my hand and dug into the rice bowl. 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Reijiro! Stop!

 

And just as he was going to get his first bite… 

 

???: DROP THE SPOON!

 

Oh no… 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} What the fuck do y’all think you’re doing!? I thought that Rule #12 was clear! 

 

Reijiro dropped the spoon abruptly. 

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} I’m… I… I’m s-sorry.

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Sorry won’t do you four-eyed fuck! The rules are the rules.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} It was elementary that the other two were simply trying to distract me… 

 

So… Shinto and Hikari failed also… 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Welp, I’m gonna have to kill you for this. 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} N-NO!

The plan… has failed?

 

Hayato: Monokuma… if you have to execute someone, execute me… it was my fault. I made Reijiro do it. 

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Huh, is that so?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} WAIT!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Reijiro-kun?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} You cannot… kill anyone. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Sorry what?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The rule said that I could not eat… and I have not eaten a thing. Therefore the rule has not been broken. 

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} What… what are you talking about? Th-That spoon and the rice and… and… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Check my stomach contents… you barged in before I could take the first bite. 

 

Reijiro: {Opens book} You did say that any attempts at feeding me would be punished “accordingly”… but in reality there is nothing to punish. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The main body of your rule was that I was to fast… and despite whatever these people were trying to get me to do… I. am. still. fasting!

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} N-Nooooo!

 

Reijiro… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Had you wanted to execute any of us… perhaps you should have waited until I had broken my rule before bursting in… patience is a virtue after all Monokuma… 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Grr…. damn you! Damn you all! 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Now let me be clear, if anybody ever brings food into this room again, they’re dead… you hear me? DEAD! {Disappears} 

 

… 

 

Reijiro kept his stoic stance for another few seconds before crumbling down on the bed. 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} R-Reijiro! 

 

… 

 

Fusume tucked Reijrio back in bed who lost consciousness soon after that. During that time, my remaining accomplices both came running in. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Hayato! What happened!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} He saw through us… pretty easily. We’re sorry.

 

Hayato: It’s fine guys… you all did your best, even you Jessie.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} What do you mean, “even you”!?

 

Hayato: The plan failed… but everything’s fine.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Everything is far from fine Hayato!

 

Fusume: {Pulls out kunai} You tried doing something so drastic without even talking to me about it! You lied to me!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You almost got both you and Reijiro executed! Wh-What do you have to say for yourself. 

 

Hayato: I thought that the plan would work… we were so close… to saving him. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No! You were close to getting him killed! 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Your intentions might have been good… but that doesn’t excuse it!

 

Hayato: … 

 

Hayato: You know what, yes it does! 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Wh-What?

 

Hayato: I took a risk! We all did! And we knew that the risk existed… and yet we still did it! You want to know why?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Why?

 

Hayato: Because I’d rather die trying to save him than just let him die without any action!

 

Hayato: And guess what, that’s exactly what you and everyone else has been doing for the past three days! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} … 

 

… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I… you… is that…?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Somebody… please watch over Reijiro for a bit… I need… I need a break {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

Hayato: I… I might have been a bit harsh there. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Yeah, just a bit… 

 

Hayato: I didn’t mean to hurt her… it’s just… I can’t just let things happen without acting upon them… I really wanted to save Reijiro.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Nobody thinks you hurt her on purpose Hayato… the truth is that you’ve got a point.

 

Hayato: You think so?

 

Jessie: {Determined} I think that well think so, Hayato-kun

 

Hikari: {Sad} … Yeah, what you did today was really brave. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} It’s just a real shame that we couldn’t hold Monokuma off a bit longer. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Da bin ich mir nicht sicher… If Monokuma had come just a tad later… we would have been in deep trouble. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} That is true… I guess we’re lucky things went the way they did. 

 

Hayato: And we’re lucky that Reijiro managed to rapidly turn Monokuma’s argument against him… even in his state, he was still so quick on his feet. 

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} Well, he is our leader for a reason!

 

Hayato: But now… it’s going to be even harder to help him… there really seems to be no alternative but murder to save him… and that’s no good. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} … 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Is there really… no other way to save Reijiro?

 

Reijiro… he just saved our lives once more by convincing Monokuma not to harm us… he saved us, and we failed so save him. What good am I if I could not do something as simple as feeding him?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Aww, you guys look so sad and tired! Why don’t you all go and get some rest… I’ll take care of Reijiro-kun!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Jessie… are you sure? I could stay with you-

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} No, no, I’ll be fine! I’m perfectly happy to stay with him, now go! All of you!

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} You all look like you need some time for yourselves… especially you, Hayato-kun.

 

Hayato: M-Me? 

 

Jessie: {Sad} … 

 

Hayato: You’re right… I’ll go take a nap or something. Thank you Jessie.

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} The pleasure’s all mine!

 

I said goodbye to the three of them and went back to my room. Guess I’m skipping lunch, for obvious reasons I’m far from being hungry. 

 

Either way, Jessie’s right, I need some time to myself after all this. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

I entered my room and immediately fell onto my bed. 

 

 

I talked about napping… but there’s no way I’m getting any sleep after this bitter failure. 

 

I tried my hardest… and it just wasn't enough. And then I snapped at Fusume who really didn’t do anything wrong… in fact, she had every reason to be mad at us… I lied to her… I should have told her about the plan. Maybe with her help it would have gone a bit better… 

 

 

Argh! If I just stay here, I’m going to think back to my failure over and over again… this can’t be good for my mental health. 

 

I should find something to do to get my mind of things.

 

At this point, anything will do. 

 

{Free time starts} 

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Yellow Building - 1st floor} 

 

{Move to Game Room} 

 

{Hikari is here} 

 

{Talk to Hikari} 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Hello there, Hayato… I came here to clear my head… it hasn’t been working great so far. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I guess being alone isn’t the best thing to do right now. Want to join me? Maybe we can mutually help each other. 

 

Do I want to spend time with Hikari?

 

{Yes/No}

 

Hikari: {Smiles} A-Alright! I think I feel a bit better already! Let’s find a good game to play!

 

… 

 

I spent the afternoon playing board games with Hikari. It was pretty evident than neither of us really felt like playing but as time went by I think we got more into it and we ended up feeling as well as we possibly could at that moment. 

 

I’m so glad to have gotten the Hikari I first met back… this is the Hikari that I liked getting to know… I’m excited in continuing this… friendship.

 

One thing’s for sure and that’s that we got closer.

 

… 

 

After we were done with our game of connect four, we decided we’d chat for a little bit… after it came up in the conversation, Hikari started telling me about the articles that she enjoyed writing the most. 

 

… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} And that’s my favorite article I’ve ever written! I really am passionate about the Hotakadake mountain! 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Oh my, I forgot to ask… what’s your favorite book of yours! You always ask me question, it’s normal that I ask you one for a change! 

 

Hayato: My favorite book? I’ve never actually thought about it. I quite like most of my books you know. 

 

Hikari: {Giggles} Hehe… I knew you were going to say that… come on try your best to think of something! There must be one that is especially important to you!

 

Hayato: Well, there is one… but it’s a pretty complicated story. 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Come on, hit me with it. 

 

Should I really tell her about it? I’ve never really shared my reasons for writing… “that book” 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I won’t judge you! Obviously… 

 

Hayato: It’s called “A mother’s end”.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} A mother’s… end?

 

Hayato: It’s about a young man who investigates the death of his mother which occurred when he was younger. 

 

Hayato: He spends months following different possible leads on the death… even suspecting his own father of murder… making him grow more and more desperate to find the answer. 

 

Hayato: He also found out that she had been forced to work for the mafia who now seemed to be after her… so many people seemed to benefit from her death.

 

Hikari: {Sad} And… and what happens in the end?

 

Hayato: You want me to spoil the ending for you? 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Yes, I need to know what happens! Now! 

 

Hayato: Okay, well, in the end it turns out that the protagonist’s mother never actually died, she faked her own death and fled the country in order to protect her family from the mafia who was after her for reporting on one of its leaders.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} No way! The mother did all that for her family!?

 

Hayato: Yes, in the end the narrator is reunited with his mother who can finally come back to Japan after the mafia boss is put in jail. 

 

Hayato: It’s my favorite book by far because I wrote it in honour of my own mom. She sacrificed so much when she had me… I wrote that book to thank her for everything she did for me… that’s why it’s so special to me. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} … 

 

She’s gotten all quiet all of a sudden

 

Hayato: Hikari… are you okay?

 

Hikari: {Tearing up} That’s… that’s… 

 

Hikari: {Smiling through the tears} That’s so beautiful Hayato! That’s one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever heard!

 

Hayato: That much?

 

Hikari: {Tearing up} Yes that much! I want to read this book now! I need to read it. 

 

Hayato: Well, thanks Hikari! Sadly, they don’t have any of my books in the library.

 

Hayato: Heh, I know, I’m a loser for checking. 

 

Hikari: {Smiling through the tears} Even though I know the end, I want to read it so bad!

 

Hikari: {Tearing up} What you’ve just told me… it reminds me so much of my relationship with my mother! It really makes me feel like I need to read it!

 

Hayato: Y-You too? You told me a lot about your father, but never about your mother. I don’t know anything about her!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Th-That can wait! I need to get my hands on that book! 

 

Hayato: I just told you, it’s not on the resort!

 

Hikari: {Sad} M-Maybe you didn’t look hard enough! I’ll find it and read it if it’s the last thing I do!

 

Hayato: But… we’re not done talking… 

 

Hikari: {Smiling through the tears} We can continue this conversation next time around! I’m off to the library

 

Hikari: Thank you Hayato! From the bottom of my heart! {Leaves}

 

She ran out of the room. 

… 

 

Well… that was a bit of an extreme reaction… I guess she also has a special relation to her mother. I’d never told anyone else about the reasoning behind that book… but the truth is that I feel pretty liberated after talking to her about it. 

 

The fact that it triggered such an important reaction from her… it means a lot to me, because it ultimately means that what’s important to me is also important to her. 

 

Hopefully, I’ll get to finish this conversation next time that I hang out with her. 

 

I definitely understand Hikari a bit better now. 

 

{Hikari’s report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

Left alone, I decided to head back to my room to rest a bit more before dinner time. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

… 

 

Despite how guilty I felt about the whole ordeal… skipping lunch today probably wasn’t the best idea… I’m starving…!

 

I should probably use that word more carefully. I am “very hungry”, that’s it. 

 

I guess I’ll hit the restaurant before making my way to the red building… tonight’s probably going to be as mad as last night ended up being… 

 

I’d rather be mentally prepared for such a night… and what better way than getting a good meal-

 

{The monitor in the room turns on, Monokuma can be seen in his usual jacuzzi} 

 

Monokuma: Apollo… apollo can you hear me? This is houston calling! APOLLO!

 

Monokuma: Just kidding, just kidding, this isn’t houston, it’s just Monokuma… and you lot aren’t astronauts, you’re just the usual worthless pieces of shit!

 

Monokuma: Joking aside, please make your way to the Red Building, we’re having an early start to the festivities tonight upupupu!

 

Monokuma: I say please… but you don’t actually have a choice so y’know, don’t think about being late. You’ve got 5 minutes. 

 

{The monitor shuts off} 

 

Well… here goes my dinnertime. 

 

He sounded… particularly pissed off… probably as a result of what happened today. Hopefully he won’t be any harsher because of it. 

 

… 

 

Who am I kidding… it’s very unlikely that he doesn’t do something to make us pay… 

 

I should just head over to the red building again. 

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Kôzuke is here}

 

Oh! Great, I had to talk to him anyway… now seems to be a good time to do so. 

 

{Talk to Kôzuke}

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} H-Hey, Hayato man… better not lose time here, I don’t want to be late for that stupid announcement thing. 

 

Hayato: Yeah, you’re right… before we go though… I have something for you. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Something for me? Is it a present!?

 

Hayato: Uh… not quite. I found this on the floor this morning. 

 

{Close-up on Kôzuke’s toy car} 

 

Kôzuke: Hey! That’s my car! I’ve been looking for it all day!

 

Hayato: It was on the floor in the east wing… I’m guessing you dropped it there yesterday before the motive went live. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Yeah… that must be it. It’s not like I could have been in the east wing at night… 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Thanks a ton man… s-sorry for cutting this short but I really don’t want to be late. 

 

Kôzuke: {Proudly} I’ll see you on the other side! {Leaves} 

 

Something… was off about that just now. 

 

… 

 

Better leave it at that for the moment. 

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Red Building entrance} 

 

{As per usual, everybody but Raiko and Reijiro can be seen here}

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} Hey there Hayato-kun!!

 

Fusume: {Confident} And that’s the last of us here… Monokuma shouldn’t be long in arriving. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What will it be this time… I swear we’ve been through enough shit… if he adds another motive onto this we’re screwed. 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Now, now… I’m sure we’ll be fine. We pulled through last night’s antics pretty well didn’t we?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Correct, we know that even though these emotions won’t be pleasant to deal with… as long as the unaffected members of the group take care of the others… we can take it. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So… in theory, we’ll be okay right?

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} I wouldn’t be so sure about that… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Wh-What are y-you… t-t-talking about uh… Tadao…?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Surely… surely you idiots have noticed it by now… first night there were four, then there were six… every night more people get fucked with by this stupid motive. 

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} This shit’s going to get harder and harder to deal with! 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} We’ve had this conversation before… 

 

Tadao: {Amused} Obviously… I’ll pull through… but I wouldn’t be so certain about the rest of y’all!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} And why is that!?

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} You’re all weak… I might have made an exception last night but don’t expect me to come babysit you again tonight! I’m staying by myself… fuck the rest of you!

 

Kenji: {Furious} The fuck is wrong with you bro! We said we’d stick together! That’s the only way through the motive!

 

Tadao: {Amused} Don’t care… that shit doesn’t matter to me… 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Of course it fucking does you idiot! What are you being such a dickhead for!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Enough! Now’s not the time for bickering!

 

Hikari: {Snarls with angry expression} You just want to let him play the lone wolf like that!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} We’ll… deal with that in due time… there are more pressing subjects to address. 

 

Hayato: Like what?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Jessie… how’s Reijiro?

 

Oh… yeah okay that makes sense. 

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Not great… he was asleep for most of it… I think standing up to Monokuma like that tired him out. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Standing up to Monokuma? The fuck happened?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} That’s… a story for another time. 

 

Jessie: {Searches through backpack} Oh! And he did ask me to say something to you Hayato!

 

Hayato: To me!?

 

Jessie: {Happy} Yeah, he wanted to thank you… for trying. 

 

Hayato: Oh… okay… well uh that’s good. 

 

I guess? I mean, I’m glad he’s thankful… but we didn’t achieve much, I should be the one thanking him. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I think I also owe you an apology Hayato. 

 

Hayato: You do? B-But… I was also going to apologise to you. 

 

Fusume: {Softly} Perhaps it’s better to continue this discussion in private. 

 

Hayato: Okay… we can do that. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} You guys… I have no idea what you are all saying anymore. 

 

Well… I have to say that I’m glad things won’t become tense between Fusume and I… we should definitely talk it through later though. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} And what about Raiko? Did anybody check on her today? 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Yeah, I did… I brought her food and a blanket because she was cold… she’s fine, the chair doesn’t tone down her annoyingness… I know that’s not a word okay!

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} I think it is actually… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Good… weirdly enough, I’m glad that she’s okay. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-Well… n-now we’re just waiting for-

 

Monokuma: {Appears} Did somebody say Monokuma!?

 

Oriana: {Upset} N-No! You didn’t uh… let me finish my sentence!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Who cares! I’ve got some things to tell you bastards!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Just get on with it. We don’t have your time. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Yes… that’s right, you don’t have much time. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} What does that even mean?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} As I said, the fun will begin earlier tonight… take it as a thank you gift… {Red eye glowing} For pissing me off. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-But… what did we do?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Even disregarding the fact that some of you tried breaking rule #12 today… 

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} … 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} …

 

Monokuma: {Angry} The fact that you lot tried escaping the motive by sleeping… the gull that you have. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} You tried rendering my whole motive useless upupu… and I won’t accept that! 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} It’s not like we succeeded… I don’t get what the problem is… 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Just the idea… of you getting the better of a motive… it makes me sick. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} That’s why tonight, we’re turning it up a level… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Trust me, you won’t have to worry about sleeping tonight… upupupupupupupu!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} What… does that even mean?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Aw, c’mon… you really think I’d spoil the fun for you lot?

 

Tadao: {Frustrated} Tch, I think that if there was actual fun to be had… you’d be the first to ruin it. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Enough with the aimless banter. It is now time to split you up into two groups… 

 

Ggh, I’d forgotten about that. 

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaah! We’re… s-s-s-separated again?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Is it not the same groups as last night?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Nope, the groups will change every night… you know the gist, diversity and all that. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Different groups huh…?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Now, now. Silence as I read out the names. 

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Who… will I end up with?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Tonight, on the west side… we once again have Reijiro and Raiko by default… while the rest of the group will be constituted of Hayato, Shinto, Yoko and Hikari 

 

Yoko: {Kisses framed picture of Shinto} Finally! 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} I guess we turned out lucky this time. 

 

Monokuma: The choice was random… of course. 

 

So… I’m on the West side tonight then… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I assume that means the east side is composed of-

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Patience! I’m getting there, the east team will feature, Kenji, Jessie, Kôzuke, Fusume. Tadao and Oriana. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Mmh… I see. 

 

Jessie: {Ecstatic} We’re together again Oriana-chan! Isn’t that great?

 

Tadao: {Heinous} As I said… don’t expect me to come help out you losers… got it? 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You… you dickhead. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} That’s enough… you can argue once you’ve reached your respective sides… which is very soon by the way. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} You’ve got five minutes to get there… and you know what happens if you cross the waterbath from then onwards. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But… I thought that the ban only started during night time?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Well, things are different tonight… very different. 

 

Different… how so?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Your five minutes start now… have fun tonight. I know that I will upupupupu! {Disappears} 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} We’ve only g-g-got uh… five minutes?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} If that’s really the case then we shouldn’t waste time. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} To those of you on the west side… I trust you to keep each other safe… and to have an eye on Reijiro and Raiko… it’s not excluded that they get affected by the motive too. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Don’t worry about us! We’ll be fine!

 

Shinto: {Serious} Let’s get going. 

 

Jessie: {Smiling with thumbs up} Good luck everyone! I’ll see you morgen !

 

We parted ways… anxious to make it to the west wing before the time limit. 

 

{Auto-move to west wing corridor} 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Looks like we made it in time… 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Hm… because of Reijiro and Raiko… being separated from us… it really feels like a small group out here.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} That’s the way it was last night too… it’s basically the four of us… that’s why we should stick together as best as we can. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I’d advise that we all sleep together in the corridor… that way we’ll be immediately alerted if something was to happen. 

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Let’s be honest… something will happen. We now that for sure… but we’ll be here for each other… and It’ll be fine!

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} At least we know that the four of us get along well… there won’t be any tension… and I know we can count on each other!

 

Hayato: Yeah… I agree with that. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Alrighty… the motive shouldn’t get into action just yet, we’ve still got time before the night time announcement… maybe we should still get ready for bed. We don’t really have anything else to do. 

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Actually… I think we should have a final check up on Reijiro and Raiko’s state before going to sleep… if we have time that is. 

 

Hayato: That sounds like a good idea. We don’t want them to be unwell or something before… the real stuff starts. 

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} Shinto and I will go do that then… you two should stay together… it’s better not to be alone, I’d say. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I agree… come back quick!

 

Shinto and Yoko left the corridor. 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Looks like it’s just you and me now… you nervous?

 

Hayato: For what? B-Being with you? 

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera lense} No you idiot! For the motive!

 

Hayato: Oh yeah… right… 

 

Fuck me. 

 

Hayato: Well, yeah… I am quite nervous. I haven’t actually been affected by it yet. So I really don’t know what to expect. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Hm… yeah, it’s quite bad. 

 

Hayato: Now, that I think of it… you’ve gotten hit by it both nights right?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Yeah… guess it’s just my luck… 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Well, I can’t do anything but hope… hope that tonight I’ll be lucky-

 

Hikari: *Cough* … *Cough*

 

Oh… oh no.

 

Hayato: Hikari…? Please tell me you’re just coughing like that-

 

Hikari: *Cough* *Cough* *Cough* *Cough*

 

Hayato: No… no, no, no, no… It’s too early! It wasn’t supposed to start yet. 

 

Hikari: *Cough* *Cough* H-help *Cough**

 

I tried to scream Shinto’s name… but instead of my call for help, what came out of my throat was… 

 

Hayato: *Cough* *Cough*

 

N-No… not me too. 

 

Hikari: *Cough* *Cough* *Cough* *Cough*

 

My throat… I can feel it itching so badly… I need to cough… 

 

Hayato: *Cough* Ggh… no. H-Hikari… it’s going to be a-alright. 

 

… 

 

And just like that, as I felt like I was losing control over my body… that’s when it happened. 

 

That’s when everything turned to shit. 

 

Hikari: {Horrified} AHHHHHHHHHH

 

Hayato: Hikari!? Wh-What’s happening to you?

 

Hikari: {Horrified} N-NO, MOM… NO… PLEASE NO!

 

She’s… calling her mother? 

 

{Hikari can be seen recoiling in fear against one of the corridor walls

 

Hikari: Don’t do this to me! Please… n-no!

 

Hayato: Hikari, what are you seeing…? What is it?

 

Hikari: NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

She fell to the floor, covering her face as if she was trying to get something out of her field of vision. 

 

Hikari: {Horrified} HELP ME!!!!!

 

Why… why has it started for her and not me… I felt the cough… so why am I not feeling anything?

 

Hayato: I’ll… I’ll go find help. Just w-wait here… 

 

I ran to the infirmary where Shinto and Yoko should have been… but as I got there, the door to the isolation room burst open. 

 

Yoko: {Scared} Get away from me…! I said that I didn’t want to! 

 

Hayato: Oh no… Yoko, not you too!

 

Yoko: {Scared} Please… please… GET AWAY FROM MEEE!

 

Yoko jumped in front of me all the way to the floor . She lied in a foetal position shivering in horror.

 

…  

 

What the hell is going on…? What do I do? What do I-

 

???: NYAHHHHHHHHHH

 

My thoughts were interrupted by a shriek coming from inside the isolation room. 

 

Terrified, I took a peak in and saw… 

 

{Raiko can be seen in the restraint chair, her entire body covered with a white sheet} 

 

Raiko: I CAN’T BREATHE, I CAN’T BREATHE! HELP ME! HELP ME! PLEASE! I’LL DO ANYTHING YOU WANT!

 

Oh… oh god. 

 

… 

 

Just as I was about to enter the room, something else caught my attention. 

 

Shinto: GET IT OFF ME!!

 

N-No… Shinto too… am I the only one unaffected? How is that possible!?

 

… 

 

I ran in the direction of Shinto’s voice to find him struggling… against nothing but thin air. 

 

Shinto: Get off me! Get off me! Get off me! Get off me! 

 

Hayato: Shinto! What’s happening to you!?

 

Shinto: {Livid} The bugs! They’re everywhere! They’re on me, they’re on me! THEY’RE ON ME!

 

Hayato: C-Calm down, please! Breathe! There’s nothing there!

 

Shinto: {Terrified} THEY’RE ON MY ARM, HERE LOOK!

 

Shinto pointed me to his arm… as expected there was nothing there. 

 

Shinto: {Livid} I’ll get them off… yeah… I’ll get them off… I’LL GET THEM OFF!!!!

 

{Shinto can be seen hitting his right arm repeatedly against a wall until it is bent in the complete wrong direction} 

 

Shinto: GRAAAAAAAAAH!

 

Hayato: Shinto! STOP!

 

{He continues to hit his, already broken, arm against the wall}

 

Shinto: GET OFF!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

They’re in danger… they all are… Why is this happening…? I need help. 

 

Hayato: *Cough* *Cough* 

 

I’m coughing… but I’m not getting the same reaction that they are… I don’t understand. 

 

… 

 

I need help… oh wait!

 

{Flashback} 

 

Jessie: {Sad} I’ll miss you guys! Take care of each other please!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Don’t worry, we’ll be fine! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} One last thing. If there’s an emergency… press the SOS button on the water bath control panel. That way people on both sides of the building will be kept in the loop. 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Good idea! 

 

The control panel… I remember seeing that. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

I’ll hit the SOS button and the people on the other side will hear it! Fusume can advise me from the other side I’m sure.

 

… 

 

There’s no time to waste.

 

Covering my ears to drown out the sound of my friends screaming I ran as fast as I could to the water bath… but when I got there… let’s just say I wasn’t ready for what I was about to see. 

 

{Camera shows the waterbath floor filled with a thick red liquid} 

 

Is… is that blood? What the fuck!? How is there so much blood? Is somebody dead… n-no… that’s not possible. Nobody could bleed this much… what is going on. 

 

{The level of liquid keeps on increasing} 

 

More… and more and more and more and more blood… the blood of all those who died so far. Is that what this represents?

 

Am… am I going insane?

 

{Suddenly, the liquid seems to catch fire, flames surround Hayato} 

 

What the fuck!? What is this?

 

{The flames creep closer and closer to Hayato} 

 

N-No… not like this… I can’t die like this. 

 

Hayato: S-Somebody help me! I’m stuck in between the flames!

 

Dammit… nobody can hear me… all I can hear are screams!

 

Hayato: Fusume!!! Somebody! Help me! PLEASE!

 

I tried running away… but I can’t run away… not after everything I’ve done, these flames are the result of my actions… wouldn’t you say?

 

{Close-up on Hayato’s face} 

 

There’s no way out… I should just accept that. 

 

… 

 

And so I took a confident step forward… and let the fire consume me. 

 

{Screen turns black} 

 

… 

 

… 

 

… 

 

… 

 

… 

 

Monokuma Theater

 

Monokuma: So… that just happened. Pretty cool right? Turns out that I did them a favor by keeping fear as the plat de résistance so to speak.

 

Monokuma: Yes, the residents might have all gone completely insane… but it’s all for a good reason. 

 

Monokuma: You see, fear is unlike any other emotion… it’s a step above the rest. 

 

Monokuma: Happiness, excitement, anger or sadness...all these emotions might motivate you to do a certain thing… but introduce fear in the equation and everything changes. 

 

Monokuma: Fear will take control of your senses… and take you wherever it feels like bringing you! There is no way to resist when fear comes into play. 

 

Monokuma: Seriously though, don’t worry about the class, they’ll be fine… or at least most of them will upupu… 

 

Monokuma: Humans are emotional creatures… but they get over it… their capacity to feel does differentiate them from the rest of the animal kingdom that’s for sure. 

 

Monokuma: The only animal that can feel as much as the human does is the elephant… I’m sure you knew that already. 

 

Monokuma: The only difference is that elephants don’t forget… in fact they can feel grief and sadness for generations… 

 

Monokuma: Just imagine the overwhelming despair an elephant could feel! It’s exponentially more significant than for a lowly human… huh, maybe I should try to have killing games for other species… that could be the lesson in all this. 

 

Monokuma: Upupupu, what funny creatures. 

Notes:

Oh boy... it looks like everything has gone to shit. The emotions motive is taking a turn for the worst or so it seems...

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and as usual, if you have any feedback, a comment would be appreciated. As a side note, this is your last chance for predictions on who dies so go ahead, leave your thoughts in the comments.

Next chapter will have one final FTE which can be voted for right here : https://www.strawpoll.me/18708774 (this could be the last chance you get to spend with certain people so don't hesitate to vote for your favorites)

Things have definitely taken a turn for the intense and I'm pretty happy with the direction this chapter is taking, you can expect the next one in two weeks or so for the climax of Chapter 3

Thanks again for reading! The support means a lot to me!
See you in the next one ;)

Chapter 33: Chapter 3 : At the Mercy of our Emotions : Daily Life part 5

Notes:

Here's a treat for you! A new chapter of DR: AD ahead of schedule!

The FTE in this chapter goes to Shinto.

Brace yourselves for this one… that's all I can say.

Enjoy :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a jacuzzi, holding some sort of cocktail glass in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Gooood Morning! This is your director speaking, it’s now 8:00 AM! Look out the window, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. A perfect weather to kill wouldn’t you say?

Get ready for a spectacular day everyone!

 

… 

 

Wh-What…? my… m-my head. It hurts so bad… 

 

I… I… can’t take this… 

 

… 

 

I fell back asleep. 

 

 

 

 

???: Hayato… wake up

 

Ugh… what?

 

Hayato: Five more minutes… 

 

???: It’s already late… you should get up now. 

 

{Scene opens up on the waterbath corridor, the camera mimicking Hayato’s eyes opening,} 

 

Ew… I’m all wet… did I sleep inside the waterbath? 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I’m sorry to wake you up… but I thought it’d be good for you to know what happened… 

 

What happened?

 

… 

 

Oh, yes… I remember now. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

More… and more and more and more and more blood… the blood of all those who died so far. Is that what this represents?

 

Am… am I going insane?

 

{Suddenly, the liquid seems to catch fire, flames surround Hayato} 

 

What the fuck!? What is this?

 

{The flames creep closer and closer to Hayato} 

 

N-No… not like this… I can’t die like this. 

 

Hayato: S-Somebody help me! I’m stuck in between the flames!

 

Dammit… nobody can hear me… all I can hear are screams!

 

Hayato: Fusume!!! Somebody! Help me! PLEASE!

 

{Ends Flashback }

 

Well… at least, it’s a relief that I’m still alive… guess that whole fire thing was happening inside my head.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} A lot of stuff happened last night… I guess you could say that everything went to shit. 

 

Hayato: Wait… what time is it?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Hm, about 9:30, I’d say… 

 

9:30? Why did no one wake me up earlier?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Ngh, this damn headache… 

 

Hayato: You too huh? My head feels like its about to burst. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I’m pretty certain that we’re all in the same boat… considering we all got affected by the motive last night.

 

Hayato: So… we all did then… even the people on the other side?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Yeah… they were hit as bad as us… dammit, it hurts so bad. 

 

Hikari… she seems so upset… 

 

Hayato: How… how are you feeling?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Bad, obviously… but now’s not the time to chit chat. 

 

Hayato: It’s not? What are you talking about?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Fusume asked me to come get you… she wants to talk to you in the restaurant. 

 

Hayato: Talk to me…? Just me?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} No, not necessarily just you… but at least the people who are available to talk. She wants to make sure that we’re all okay… which we aren’t. 

 

Those available to talk? Why would someone not be-

 

Hayato: Oh god… what… what happened?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You’ll see… just come with me please. 

 

Is somebody dead? Is that what happened? With how crazy this motive has been it wouldn’t even surprise me… n-no, that’s not possible, there would have been a body discovery announcement… they would have woken me up!

 

Fuck! Why is this happening to us!?

 

… 

 

Mmh… there’s no point in just staying here and speculating… I should go with Hikari… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} It’s… whenever y-you’re ready Hayato. 

 

Let’s go- 

 

Wait… am I seeing this right? The water… in the waterbath, it’s… 

 

{Examine bloody water}

 

Hayato: Is… is that blood?

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} No, we’ve already checked… it’s just water… with a sort of dye in it. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} This was likely done by Monokuma to freak us out even more… while under the influence of that machine, we’d most likely have thought it was blood… a lot of it. 

 

Even without being under the influence, it still looks like blood to me… 

 

Hayato: And what about that…? What is that!?

 

{Camera shows footprints which seem to indicate someone walking out of the waterbath into the east side} 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} W-Wow! I hadn’t seen those! 

 

Hayato: Could it mean… that somebody crossed the waterbath?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Hm… don’t think so. Monokuma did say that we’d get executed for that… and to my knowledge, nobody’s been executed tonight. 

 

Hayato: Oh okay… phew. 

 

I can’t help but wonder what those footprints mean… somebody on the east side entered the waterbath before going back… but why? and who?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Either way it’s 100% not blood… we’ve checked it well… either way, it’s not like Monokuma could be storing such large quantities of blood… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Right?

 

 

Enough daydreaming… let’s get going. 

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Ggh!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Tadao!? What are you doing here?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Shouldn’t you be at the restaurant with everyone else?

 

Tadao: {Scared} I… I… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Tadao!

 

Tadao: {Sombre} … 

 

What’s up with him? 

 

Tadao: {Scared} F-Forgive me {Leaves} 

 

Hikari: {Concerned look, bites nail} That was weird… it’s almost like he’s gone back to old Tadao. 

 

Hayato: Something was wrong… this isn’t like him at all.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Maybe he’s still shocked after last night… who knows?

 

Hayato: Yeah… maybe that’s it. 

 

Tadao… what are you hiding from us this time?

 

{Auto-move to Restaurant} 

 

{Fusume, Kenji, Yoko, Jessie, Hikari are here, they can all be seen sitting by themselves at individual tables} 

 

Hayato: Good morning. 

 

… 

 

Okay… well, I guess Hikari wasn’t lying when she said things weren’t great. There’s only a couple people here, they seem completely out of it and no one even bothered to look at me when I entered the room. 

 

Just what did I miss? And why are so many people... missing? 

 

Fusume: {Yawns} Hayato! You’re here… 

 

Hayato: I am… I thought that the whole group was supposed to be here to talk through last night… what’s up with that?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Well… let’s just say it was complicated to bring everybody together after what happened. 

 

Hayato: After… ugh, what the hell happened already!? Both you and Hikari have been speaking in riddles since I woke up. Can’t anybody just tell me what’s going on?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I’m sorry… it’s just… everything’s a mess… and half the group is too traumatised to even show up to my meeting… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} That just feels like a failure as the de facto leader of the group… 

 

Hayato: A failure…? How so?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Last night… I was so scared… I thought I was going to die… and so I hid in a corner while the others were alone… needing my help.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And I didn’t help them… I just stayed hidden… like a coward… and now I can’t bare to look at them… and the state they’re in. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It’s all my fault! 

 

Fusume… 

 

Hayato: Come on now… 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Wh-What?

 

Hayato: It’s not your fault Fusume… this is far from being your fault. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} … 

 

Hayato: What is your fault is that you’re putting way too much pressure on yourself. 

 

Hayato: Last night… I don’t think I’ve ever been so scared in my whole life… I thought I was being burnt alive. It was terrifying… 

 

Hayato: And with how much more eventful your life has been than mine… I can’t even imagine what it is that you were put through. Nobody can blame you for being scared… so please, don’t blame yourself. 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} B-But… but… 

 

Hayato: You’ve done so much for this group Fusume… I swear to you that nobody will blame you for this… nobody but you. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} … 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Perhaps you are right… I do have the habit of being harsh on myself… and of course this headache is not helping at all. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I… I will make some coffee… perhaps this will help me regain my thoughts. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} If you seek answers about last night’s events… then maybe you should ask the people here… I’m sure they’ll give you better explanations than I ever could… 

 

Hayato: Ask the others…? I think I can do that. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Come back to me once you’re done… {Hurt} I’ll hopefully feel a bit better by then. 

 

… 

 

Okay, I guess it’s up to me to figure out just what in the hell happened last night. 

 

Oh god… this isn’t going to be fun is it?

 

{Talk to Hikari} 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} H-Hey… how’s Fusume holding up then?

 

Hayato: Oh, you know her… she’s very tough on herself. What about you? How are you feeling?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Like shit… I know I shouldn’t feel guilty… but I feel like I should have been stronger. 

 

Hayato: Stronger?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} I didn’t even resist it for one second, I let the fear take control of me… completely… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Horrified} AHHHHHHHHHH

 

Hayato: Hikari!? Wh-What’s happening to you?

 

Hikari: {Horrified} N-NO, MUM… NO… PLEASE NO!

 

She’s… calling her mother? 

 

{Hikari can be seen recoiling in fear against one of the corridor walls}

 

Hikari: Don’t do this to me! Please… n-no!

 

Hayato: Hikari, what are you seeing…? What is it?

 

Hikari: NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

She fell to the floor, covering her face as if she was trying to get something out of her field of vision. 

 

Hikari: {Horrified} HELP ME!!!!!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You saw me, didn’t you? 

 

Hayato: Yeah… I’m sorry I wasn’t much help. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Don’t be… there was literally nothing you could have done. This motive fucking sucks. 

 

Hayato: Yeah… tell me about it. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Either way, if you want more information on the events of the night… I was too busy rolling on the floor bawling my eyes out to notice anything.

 

Hayato: Hikari… I’m so sorry… 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Don’t be, don’t be. I’ll be fine. It’s over now. Why don’t you go check up on the others… they’ll surely be more help than I was. 

 

So, she doesn’t know anything either huh? 

 

Then… will I find anybody who knows something…? This is starting to get on my nerves. 

 

{Talk to Kenji} 

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} Ngh… d-dammit!

 

Hayato: Kenji? Is everything alright?

 

Kenji: {Furious} DOES IT LOOK LIKE EVERYTHING IS ALRIGHT TO YOU!?

 

Flee! Get out of there before the giant man crushes you! 

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} I’m sorry bro… I’m going through a bit of a rough patch… 

 

Hayato: Want to tell me what happened? I’m trying to collect information about last night… because you know, with me being unconscious the entire time and all… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Tch, I guess I can give you a quick rundown… 

 

Hayato: Yes… that would be quite helpful.

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} I guess the best way to describe was happened to me was that I… ahem, I killed Monokuma.

 

Hayato: You did WHAT?

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Yeah… that happened… {Pulls on shirt collar} If only he’d just stayed dead… 

 

Hayato: Okay, slow down… what the heck did you do?

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} Well… that motive happened right? I was tripping hardcore, like full on hallucinating stuff… 

 

Hayato: You too huh? 

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} I was seeing all kinds of wild animals coming at me… so I had to fight them, y’know… 

 

Hayato: Don’t tell me-

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Yeah turns out I kinda decapitated Monokuma… I only realised much later on but yeah… it definitely happened

 

Hayato: But then… he came back?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Yup, turns out he’s got a bunch of spares in case… stuff like that goes down.

 

Hayato: And he didn’t… you know, execute you? I’m pretty sure he said that violence against him would be punished. 

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} He did threaten to kill me… but he ended up saying that he’d let it go this time because I was so out of it… so Imma assume that everything’s fine. 

 

Hayato: That… seems odd, I feel like he’d really enjoy executing one of us for something like that. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah… but then again… he’s got to be aware that most of us are going to break rules while under that stuff… if he executed everyone who didn’t respect his rules during the night… there’d be no one left to play his stupid fucking game. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} He did say that the waterbath ban was the exception to that… he’d execute us even under the influence… so better be careful with that. 

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} For some reason, he seemed especially adamant with that rule. 

 

Hayato: Okay, thanks Kenji!

 

Good thing I didn’t cross the waterbath then… god knows I was close to doing so. 

 

{Talk to Jessie} 

 

Jessie: {Sad} God morgen… Hayato-kun. 

 

Hayato: Hey, Jessie… I’m guessing your night wasn’t great either was it?

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} You guessed right… I have never been more scared in my entire life. 

 

Hayato: What exactly happened on your side?

 

Jessie: {Searches through backpack} Let’s see… we were talking about how to keep each other safe and stuff… and then everybody started coughing at once and then… I guess we all got separated. 

 

Hayato: Separated? How so?

 

Jessie: {Sad} Well… we were all hallucinating so people just started running around hopelessly and we all ended up in different rooms. 

 

Jessie: {Scared} I… I did manage to stay with Oriana-chan… but I guess my fears have to do with you guys getting hurt because I kept on seeing her getting killed… over and over and over again… 

 

Jessie: {Sad}  Pour être honnête… I’m not even sure I really saw her that night… maybe the Oriana-chan in the room with me was simply one of my hallucinations… 

 

Hayato: Damn… I’m sorry Jessie, that must have been tough.

 

Jessie: It was… {Smiles with thumbs up} But it’s all okay now! 

 

Hayato: Is it really?

 

Jessie: {Pointing finger} Definitely! This morning, Fusume-chan told me she’d get it all sorted! And I for one have faith in her! 

 

Hayato: She said… that she’d get it sorted?

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} Yes! She said that she’d take care of things… so that we’d never have to deal with a night like this one again! 

 

Jessie: {Determined} I trust Fusume-chan… if she says that she’ll fix it… then I’m 100% confident that she will!

 

Fusume made that sort of promise? But… we’ve already established that the only way out of this motive is murder… 

 

What in the hell does she have in mind? 

 

{Talk to Yoko}

 

Yoko: {Tearing up} *Sniff* *Sniff* Shinto… 

 

Hayato: Yoko…? Is everything okay?

 

Yoko: {Angry} N-No, it’s not!

 

I should realistically stop asking that question right?

 

Yoko: {Tearing up} *Sniff* *Sniff* 

 

Hayato: Um… can you at least tell me what’s wrong?

 

Yoko: {Sad} It’s… Shinto… Monokuma’s taken him in… and I’ve got no news. 

 

Hayato: He’s taking him in!? What happened!?

 

Yoko: {Tearing up} I’m not… exactly sure… all I know is that he broke his arm very severely… and that Monokuma is treating him as we speak. 

 

Hayato: Oh… so that’s why- Wait!

 

I… remember now. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Shinto: Get off me! Get off me! Get off me! Get off me! 

 

Hayato: Shinto! What’s happening to you!?

 

Shinto: {Livid} The bugs! They’re everywhere! They’re on me, they’re on me! THEY’RE ON ME!

 

Hayato: C-Calm down, please! Breathe! There’s nothing there!

 

Shinto: {Terrified} THEY’RE ON MY ARM, HERE LOOK!

 

Shinto pointed me to his arm… as expected there was nothing there. 

 

Shinto: {Livid} I’ll get them off… yeah… I’ll get them off… I’LL GET THEM OFF!!!!

 

{Shinto can be seen hitting his right arm repeatedly against a wall until it is bent in the complete wrong direction} 

 

Shinto: GRAAAAAAAAAH!

 

Hayato: Shinto! STOP!

 

{He continues to hit his, already broken, arm against the wall}

 

Shinto: GET OFF!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Yoko: {Pulls on choker} Wh-Why are you making that face?

 

Hayato: I saw it happen… I just remembered now. 

 

Yoko: {Shocked} You saw it happen!? Then… then how did he break it? Tell me!!

 

I… I can’t describe the violence of what I witnessed to her… it would crush her. 

 

Hayato: Let’s just say that his hallucinations were pretty bad… 

 

Yoko: {Tearing up} *Sniff* Shinto… come back to me. 

 

I hope that Monokuma’s treatment will do him some good… the way I saw it, it didn’t seem like that arm would ever be of use again… 

 

I guess we’ve got to wait and see. 

 

… 

 

That’s about everyone here, I’m guessing the rest of them are either resting, hospitalised or uh… tied to a chair. 

 

Fusume’s had time to take her coffee… I should go talk to her. 

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} And so you’re back… I’m assuming that you had a chance to talk to everybody present.

 

Hayato: Yeah… I’ve gotten everybody’s accounts on how their night went. I think I’ve got a pretty good idea of all of our whereabouts… well, almost all of them. 

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Very well, I believe that is what you wanted is it not?

 

Hayato: I do feel slightly more at ease actually knowing what I’ve missed. I did tend to assume the worst when I first woke up. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Understandably so… it is human nature to be apprehensive of the unknown. 

 

Hayato: Actually, I do have one question for you Fusume… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hm, ask away… 

 

Hayato: Jessie… she told me that you’d made a promise to her this morning. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Oh… that. 

 

Hayato: Yeah, “that”. Was that just motivational speech or did you actually find a way to escape the motive? 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} … 

 

Hayato: Don’t tell me… were those just empty promises? 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} … 

 

Hayato: I know you’re trying to make everyone feel secure… but you know that if you promise stuff like that-

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I have an idea. 

 

Hayato: O-Oh, you do?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I would never make… an empty promise. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It’s just… I’m not 100% sure that my plan will work. 

 

Hayato: But you have a plan?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} That I do… it’s risky… but it might work. 

 

Hey… last time I had a “risky” plan, you ended up being pissed at me… for a solid 30 minutes!

 

Hayato: So… what’s the plan? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I’d rather keep my cards close to my chest for the time being… I’ll tell you about it in due time. 

 

Hayato: In due time!? And when will that be?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Mhm… at lunchtime, meet me in the spa… I’ll reveal everything to you in a more… private setting. 

 

Hayato: Hm okay then-

 

Monokuma: {Appears} Witty entrance line! 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Um… what?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Crap, those were stage directions… I messed up my opening line! 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} I’ll tell ya what we’ll do… I’ll just go back out and we can act like this first take never happened!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Or you could just tell us what you are doing here!

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Aw, why be so aggressive!? Especially when I’m the bear-er of good news!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Good news from you… those can’t be all that good. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Hey! Don’t be so rude! Especially when I’ve spent my morning helping you out!

 

Hayato: Helping us out…? How so?

 

Monokuma: {Sad} Ugh, you bastards are so unappreciative… just see for yourselves.

 

Monokuma snapped his fingers and we saw… 

 

{Shinto is standing in the doorway, his right arm in a big white case} 

 

Shinto: H-Hey guys! I’m back!

 

Yoko: Sh-Shinto!!!!

 

{Yoko runs to him and embraces him} 

 

Yoko: I was so scared… so scared, you hear me! Don’t ever go doing something like that to me again!

 

Shinto: Y-Yoko… my arm… you’re pressing on it. 

 

Yoko: Oh n-no! Sorryyyy!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: {Content} Shinto… I am glad to see that you’re alright. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast} It hurts like hell… but I’ll live… and hopefully I completely won’t lose the use of my arm! 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} And it’s all thanks to ME! MONOKUMA FIRST OF HIS NAME!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} We’ve heard you! Quit your yapping! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Yes, in fact… if that is all you had to tell us, you may leave now Monokuma… 

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} Wh-What!?

 

Kenji: {Furious} You’ve brought Shinto back… so now you can fuck off!

 

Monokuma: {Sad} … All I wanted was a bit of recognition for my hard work {Leaves} 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} The air already feels lighter now that he’s gone. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast} Again, I’m sorry that I worried you guys with this thing… I’m pretty much fine!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m afraid that you’re not. 

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} Hey! What are you saying!?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Shinto… I cannot say with certitude how well Monokuma treated your arm… but judging by how badly it was broken, the wisest thing for you to do right now is rest. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} B-But… what about the investigation! We still need to find a way to overcome the emotions motive! Broken arm or not!

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} That’s right! You’ve seen what this motive is capable to do to us! We can’t just let it happen can we?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Please, just let me handle that for now… you all need to rest. 

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} That’s right 친구! We can trust Fusume! She knows what she’s doing! 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Surely that’s way too much to ask of you Fusume… if the lot of us haven’t found anything in 4 fucking days… how are you gonna manage by yourself?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Just… trust me guys. Please… have faith. 

 

If only she could tell us this idea of hers… it would definitely reassure the rest of them. 

 

Hikari: {Softly} We’ll trust you Fusume… maybe you’re right, last night was exhausting… we should all rest. 

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} I am pretty fucking tired to be fair… and this goddamn headache isn’t helping. 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} I guess a good little nap will do me some good. 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Fine. But please, don’t overwork yourself Fusume… the truth is you should also go and rest… you’re probably more sleep deprived than the rest of us! 

 

Fusume: {Content} I know what I am doing… do not worry. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} H-Hey! I don’t want to be useless in a time like this! You know what, I’ll watch over Reijiro-kun while you do that!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hm… Jessie… are you sure?

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} 100%

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Talking about looking over people, somebody will need to bring lunch to Raiko… and probably take care of her as well, I’d assume that she didn’t have the best night either. 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Yeah… I’ll do it for today. I’m pretty sure my name is next on that list anyways. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Really? I thought you’d want to spend time with your boyfriend… y’know after what happened and all!

 

Yoko: {Angry} Fuck you big guy! You know damn well that Shinto and I can survive without one another… at least for a while! 

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} I don’t need to be with him 24/7, especially in moments like these in which he needs to rest. 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Exactly, I know that Yoko will be here for me when I’ll need it. But right now, I’ll be fine by myself. 

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} And seriously Fusume, if you need one of us… don’t hesitate!

 

Fusume: {Content} Of course, I’ll do just that. 

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Alright y’all! If that’s everything then Imma go dose off in my room. 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Same here… do wake me up if needed! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Rest well everybody… you deserve it. 

 

… 

 

We all went our separate ways, before leaving Fusume gave me one more insistent look to remind me of our meeting. 

 

I won’t forget it… the truth is I’m dying to know just what she’s come up with this time. 

 

… 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

… 

 

… 

 

… 

 

As much as I’d like to… I don’t think I’m going to manage to sleep… not after the things I’ve seen last night. 

 

It’s gonna take time and effort before I can erase those horrible images from my mind. 

 

… 

 

Basically everybody’s resting at the moment… I don’t want to bother anyone but I should find something to do. 

 

Guess I should just try to knock on somebody’s door and hope that they’re not sleeping.

 

Let’s make good use of this time. 

 

{Free time starts} 

 

{Move to Room hallway} 

 

{Examine Shinto’s room} 

 

*Knock* *Knock*

 

… 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Oh, Hayato! It’s you… I was just thinking that I should get out of here and socialize… 

 

Shinto: {Points at casts} My arm hurts even more when I’m still… I won’t be able to get much rest if the pain doesn’t stop.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Why don’t we go and get some fresh air?

 

Do I want to spend time with Shinto?

 

{Yes/No} 

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Sounds good… why don’t we go sit by the poolside? The weather’s really nice today!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I guess it always is nice here isn’t it…? Hell sure is warm… 

 

… 

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

Shinto and I made our way to the outdoor swimming pool and sat by the water. Despite his serious injury, Shinto was just as cheerful as usual. During the entire time we talked, it was almost like he’d forgotten in how much pain he was. One thing’s for sure, this guy’s smile is unwavering. 

 

I think we got a bit closer. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You know what, Hayato?

 

Hayato: What’s up?

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} I know you told me how like… you don’t think you’re good at socialising and at giving advice but honestly… 

 

Shinto: {Serious} What you told me last time really made me think. 

 

Hayato: Oh… thanks?

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} It’s a good thing haha! Turns out I’ve really had time to reflect about Yoko and I’s relationship since our last conversation!

 

Hayato: Okay… in what ways?

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} Well, you said that maybe what was bothering me was that I was jealous of Yoko’s relations with other people right? 

 

Hayato: Yeah, I remember that. We came to the conclusion that even though she was a lot more explicit in her jealousy, you really felt something similar. 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Since then, I’ve talked to her about it and I can say for sure that things are going a lot better! 

 

Yeah… I guess I have noticed that they’ve been arguing a lot less in recent days. 

 

Hayato: I’m glad to hear that if it’s the case! I… I didn’t think I could be this helpful.

 

Shinto: {Plays with cane} Well, you were… and because of that, I want to tell you about something else. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Something that almost nobody knows about me. 

 

Oh boy… is this going to get serious?

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Don’t make that face! It’s nothing bad, it’s just… now that I know that I can trust you, I think it’d be helpful for me to unload some more about what’s bothering me… if you don’t mind, that is. 

 

Hayato: No, of course I don’t mind… tell me more. 

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} Well, how do I say this… I know there are a lot of influential people locked here right… but I’m scared that we were kidnapped… partly because of me. 

 

Hayato: B-Because of you!? What are you talking about?

 

Shinto: {Serious} You see, I’ve been scouted by Hope’s Peak as a half of the ultimate couple, we know that… but what you might not know is who my family is. 

 

Oh… now that he mentions it,  I remember hearing about this from Yoko. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Yoko: {Neutral expression} Well… you see… 

 

{Black and white picture of Shinto in a fancy looking chair surrounded by smartly dressed adults, a regal house can be seen in the background}

 

Yoko: Not many people know this, but Shinto and I come from very different backgrounds… it’s a real coincidence that we met. 

 

Hayato: Different backgrounds? How so?

 

Yoko: I grew up in a very modest family… both my parents had low income jobs and my older brother and I went to a public school. 

 

Yoko: Shinto on the other hand… he comes from a wealthy family… extremely wealthy in fact. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I know that we’re all important… I don’t want to sound smug, but I’m thinking that some big organisation has to be responsible for our kidnapping… just judging by the size of the resort and the resources that were likely needed to kidnap a group of ultimates like ours. 

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} So… what if this was done to ask for a big ransom from our families!? I know my parents would pay millions to get me home safe…  

 

Hayato: You think… that’s why we were kidnapped?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} At the end of the day… everything’s about money in our world… I’d be heavily surprised if money isn’t the mastermind’s main motive. 

 

Shinto: {Serious} Over the years, my family has made many enemies… I know I’m not the only one here with ties to dangerous people… but I just can’t shake the feeling that we’re here because of me… 

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} Instead of just kidnapping me for my money, they kidnapped the entire class to avoid suspicions… isn’t it at all possible?

 

Wow… I didn’t expect this from him… it all seems a bit paranoid… even though his intentions are good. 

 

Hayato: Let’s see… I understand your worries but I honestly don’t think your theory is plausible at all. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Wh-What!?

 

Hayato: Firstly… as you said, your not the only one with mob ties, trust me, I’ve heard from a good number of others that their family was involved in shady business… so if that’s the reason, it definitely wouldn’t be only on you… 

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} O-Okay… 

 

Hayato: But that’s not all… I just can’t imagine money being the reason for us being here, I just can’t.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Hm, why not?

 

Hayato: It all just feels too personal… wiping our memories clean, claiming there’s a traitor among our ranks… or simply the idea of getting us to kill each other! That doesn’t make any sense with a kidnapping plan. 

 

Hayato: I’d read somewhere that the first rule of kidnapping is to keep the hostages alive… if we’re to be traded for a ransom, then killing us is the worst possible plan, the kidnappers would lose their leverage… and their source of money!

 

Hayato: I have no idea why we’re here… but if I’m sure that you and your family have nothing to do with it!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} … 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} A-Alright! Guess I was wrong haha!

 

He gave up? Already?

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Guess that I was wrong and you were right again haha!

 

Something’s off… he’s smiling… but he’s upset. I can feel it. 

 

Hayato: Wait, Shinto, I’m just trying to reassure you-

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I know that Hayato… I’m not a complete idiot. 

 

Hayato: Hey, I never even implied-

 

Shinto: {Combs hair into place} You know what, I think I’m really starting to feel tired. I should probably go rest. 

 

Hayato: Shinto… don’t tell me you’re mad at me… 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Me? Mad? Of course not! Why would I be mad…? Why would I ever… be… mad. 

 

Hayato: Shinto… 

 

Shinto: {Bends over with finger pointing} I’ll see you around, alright! Thanks again for the advice! {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

I don’t get his reaction… I really don’t. He seemed so hurt… and I don’t understand why. 

Right now’s not the time to insist… but I should find out where that outburst came from next time I hang with him… Shinto’s my friend, and if he’s hurting I can’t just let that happen. 

 

For now, I guess we can say that I understand him better. 

 

{Shinto’s report card has been updated based on your experience with him}

 

… 

 

Left without much of a choice, I made my way back to my room. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

The morning went by in a flash… I guess the fact that I woke up later than usual contributed to that quite a bit. 

 

It’s almost lunch time… which means that I should make my way over to the spa to meet Fusume… I really have faith in this plan of her… I just hope things will go well this time. 

 

It’s obvious… 

 

It’s obvious that we won’t be able to take much more. Last night can’t be a recurring thing… we need to find a way… there’s no other way. 

 

I’d better not make her wait any longer. Let’s go. 

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Ngh!

 

Hayato: It’s you again!

 

Tadao: {Nervous} I m-must… I… 

 

He’s just like we saw him this morning… it’s like there’s no trace of the Tadao we know… 

 

Hayato: Tadao… what’s happened to you? Why are you like this?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} I… I… 

 

Hayato: You what?

 

Tadao: {Nervous} I r-r-rem… ggh!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Just leave me alone! {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

I still don’t understand what’s up with him… did last night traumatise him that bad? 

 

I hope I’ll get answers from him eventually… it’s like he’s back to the way he pretended to be before we discovered his true identity… no, it’s even worse than that… 

 

Dammit, why is all this happening at once!?

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Red Building - Entrance} 

 

{Move to Red Building - East Wing} 

 

{Move to Spa}

 

Fusume: {Confident} Here you are, right on time. 

 

Hayato: I couldn’t miss such an important meeting. I’m really curious to hear what this plan of yours is. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Very well… then I won’t make you wait any longer. Of course, this isn’t a “plan” so to speak… it’s simply an idea that I’ve had… 

 

Hayato: I’m all ears. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} The answers you seek… are in this box. 

 

{Zoom on a red metallic box that lies on the massage table}

 

Hayato: This box? That’s the solution to all our problems? 

 

Fusume: Of course, it’s not the box itself that we are interested in… but rather what’s in it. 

 

Hayato: O-Oh, of course!

 

I knew that… duh. 

 

{Back to normal}

 

Fusume: {Confident} I found this box in the infirmary… it’s meant to transport medicine. 

 

Hayato: Sure… and so what’s in it?

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Tell me… what is it that went wrong with our plan two nights ago?

 

Hayato: Well… the goal was to fall asleep before the motive started affecting us… except we all had trouble falling asleep and… yeah, it didn’t end up working. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} So what if… we could make sure that doesn’t happen again?

 

Hayato: Um… you’ve lost me. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I’ll phrase it differently, what if we could force ourselves to sleep?

 

Hayato: Force ourselves? You mean… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Precisely… I propose that we all take sleeping pills… a large dose each. 

 

Hayato: But… isn’t that dangerous? Can’t you overdose pretty easily on sleeping pills? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Sure… but you’ve seen what this motive did to Shinto’s arm… it can only get worse from here… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’d even go as far as to say… that I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody committed murder while under the influence… 

 

Hayato: Ggh… you really think so?


Fusume: {Dark look} Tell me that the thought hasn’t crossed your mind. We’ve seen our friends lose complete control because of it. As I said before, I can’t imagine anybody here as a killer… but this motive changes that. 

 

As sad as it is to say…

 

Hayato: I think you’ve got a point… this motive is turning our friends into different people… people so out of control that they could kill one of us… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} We won’t be safe… as long as this motive is in action… that’s why I see no way to get through this other than taking these sleeping pills. It’s the only way I can think of.  

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Or do you see an alternative?

 

Hayato: No… I guess that you’re right. The risk is worth taking

 

Fusume: {Content} I’m glad that we’re on the same page then… no pun intended. 

 

Hayato: Wait, Fusume… did you just make a joke?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Uh… n-no?

 

Hayato: Who are you and what have you done to the Fusume I know!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Tell anyone and I’ll skin you. 

 

Okay, forgot my first rule of Fusume interactions… no teasing!

 

Fusume: {Confident} All jokes aside… I sincerely believe that these pills can save us… at least for tonight. 

 

Hayato: If you say so, then I trust you… and I’m sure everybody else-

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} N-NO!

 

… 

 

Hayato: Fusume? Wh-What’s wrong?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The sleeping pills… they’re gone. 

 

Hayato: WHAAAT!? How… how is that possible? 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It happened under my watch… it was our way out… and somebody stole them… 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} It was my responsibility… and I messed up again… why am I such a failure?

 

Hayato: N-No, Fusume… before you start blaming yourself we need to think who could have done such a thing!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I d-don’t know… I don’t understand. 

 

Hayato: Did you just leave this box in the open?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Y-Yes, that’s it! Somebody must have come in and found them!

 

Fusume: {Pulls out kunai} But why the hell would they steal it…? Why would someone mess with my plan!?

 

Hayato: Well… that’s what we need to find out isn’t it?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Th-Thank you Hayato, you’re right!

 

Hayato: Oh uh… about what?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I can’t just sit here blaming myself… not yet. I can reflect on my actions when this is all over.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} But for now, I need to make sure I find the thief before night time. 

 

Hayato: So you really think that one of us stole the sleeping pills?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Well, yes… what else could have happened!? The pills didn’t just vanish did they?

 

Hayato: What if Monokuma found out about it and took them away?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s impossible, I hadn’t told anyone about this before just now… not only would he not have seen me bring them here, he couldn’t have known my intent. 

 

Fusume: {Pulls out kunai} He could have thought I was planning to drug someone to kill them… either way, there’s no way it was him. 

 

Hayato: So it really is one of us huh?  

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I see no other explanation… I don’t know who did this… but I’ll find out. I’m sure that I will. 

 

Hayato: Okay well, good luck… I have faith in you. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I don’t need luck… I need to be good… for once. 

 

Hayato: C’mon, what did we say about negativity!?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Fine… I’ll do my best. {Dark look} I have no other choice but to find these pills before tonight. 

 

Hayato: Now that I think about it… can’t we just ask Monokuma to give us some? As you said, he’d probably expect us to be using them in some kind of murder plot right?

 

Fusume: {Confident} No, that would be too risky… all it would do is raise his suspicions… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I have to do this the right way… and that means finding out who the thief is!

 

Hayato: Makes sense… I’m sure that you’ll do great! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I must get to it now! There is no time to waste!

 

Hayato: Actually, do you not want me to help you?

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Sadly, I’m afraid that it would raise suspicions for both of us to be investigating this matter… the others have faith in me. They can’t know the situation that we’re in. 

 

Hayato: Hm… fair enough, just tell me if you need anything from me then… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Is there anything else? If not, I should go. 

 

Hayato: Well, actually… did you check on Reijiro today?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Of course I did… his state is… catastrophic. 

 

Hayato: That bad? 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} He is almost never conscious anymore… I don’t think that his body will last much longer… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} But right now, we have other problems… he also gets affected by the motive. If we want to make things easier for him then we must make sure that we can eradicate it!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And to do that I must find those sleeping pills!

 

Hayato: Y-You’re right! One problem at a time! 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} If that is all, then I’ll start go ahead and start my investigation… stealthily!

 

???: What’s that about an investigation?

 

Fusume: Huh!?

 

That voice… it’s… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What the fuck’s going on here?

 

Hayato: Kenji!? H-Hey, how’s it going? 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Don’t “how’s it going” me! You lot are having a conspicuous meeting and I can see it!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It’s not a conspicuous meeting at all! We were just talking about something important… privately. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} That sounds exactly like a conspicuous meeting to me y’know. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} And… and… if there’s important stuff to be discussed then why aren’t you discussing it with the entire fucking group huh?

 

Hayato: There’s nothing fishy going on Kenji seriously… we weren’t actually talking about anything too important-

 

Kenji: {Furious} And what about this red fucking box!? That literally screams “conspicuous” to me! 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I… I c-can explain!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} CONSPICIOUS!

 

Hayato: It’s stomach medicine! That’s all it is!

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} … 


Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Stomach… medicine? What for?

 

Hayato: W-Well… what do you think it’s for? I think the milk from breakfast might have been expired… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Is that… seriously what it is? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes, Hayato wanted this matter to be kept quiet… for obvious reasons, and he needed me to get the medicine for him. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} … 

 

Hayato: Th-That’s right! If you could avoid mentioning this to the others… I’d be grateful. Just keep it lowkey

 

Kenji: … 

 

Did he buy it?

 

Kenji: … 

 

Kenji: {Laughs out loud} HAHAHAHAHAHA! HAYADOG’S GOT DIARRHEA!

 

Hayato: That’s not… quite what I meant by lowkey… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} … 

 

Kenji: {Wiping tear} Ha… haha… hahaha… thanks for that guys… I haven’t had this good a laugh in ages. 

 

Hayato: D-Did you actually come for a reason Kenji…? Or are you just here to make fun of me. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Don’t blush Hayadog, I won’t tell anyone… hahahaha… it still cracks me up. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Kenji!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Okay, okay! You guys are such spoilsports… I heard Hayato’s voice from the corridor… so I came because I needed to talk to you. 

 

Hayato: Talk… to me? Why would you need to talk to me?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Well… I’m sorry that you’ve got diarrhea but you’re gonna have to get over it because tonight’s your shift watching over Raiko. 

 

Hayato: Wh-What? 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Do you seriously not remember? 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Oh, also. I’ve left a paper with the Raiko shifts in front of the isolation room. 

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Raiko shift?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Everything’s explained on the paper… don’t worry. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Let’s just make sure she’s kept up to date with what’s happening. 

 

It’s true… she’s been left alone all day… it’s probably good for someone to check on her. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I’ve made of list of shifts to make sure Raiko doesn’t… y’know, end up like Reijiro. 

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} She needs to be fed and we need to make sure that we’re here in case something happens to her. 

 

Hayato: Yeah… I do remember that. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I’m not sure if I told you already… but this is a nice gesture Kenji, I’d like you to know that. 

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with a playful smile} Haha! Thanks sis! Even that bitch needs to be taken care of… and because y’know… it’s my fault that she’s in there… I need to make sure that I fix my mistake. 

 

Hayato: That really is thoughtful of you… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Anyway, tonight’s shift is on you Hayato… I sure hope you’re drafted to the west wing tonight… if you’re not then we’ll figure things out from then. 

 

Hayato: Okay… so what am I supposed to do exactly?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I’ll take care of feeding her before Monokuma summons us… you just need to sit there with her and make sure that she doesn’t need anything… 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Of course… that won’t be easy with the motive in action… but you need to do your best to stay with her. 

 

Kenji: {Looks away} I heard that last night was especially tough for her… especially since she’s stuck in that chair indefinitely. Just make sure that you’re there for her… as much as you can muster. 

 

… 

 

Hayato: Hm, that sounds doable… I’ve just gotta survive a night with her huh?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Don’t be so confident… a night with Raiko won’t be fun… but yes, you’ll survive. 

 

Hayato: Alright, count on me!

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with a playful smile} Cool, thanks for being such a good sport! I’ll see you both tonight.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} And y’know… try not to shit yourself on the way there hahaha!

 

Hayato: Real funny…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Good luck to you both… hopefully, things will go just fine. {Leaves} 

 

Hayato: Okay… well, I guess I’m about to go through a fun night. 

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Diarrhea medicine… seriously? 

 

Hayato: H-Hey! I panicked okay! And uh… it worked anyway!

 

Fusume: {Giggling} I’ll make sure to rely on your wit next time we’re in a stressful situation

 

Hayato: Thanks! … Wait, that was sarcastic wasn’t it?

 

Fusume: {Confident} We’ve wasted enough time… I need to get started… without raising any more suspicions!

 

Hayato: Sounds good… guess I’ll just go ahead and rest in my room for a bit… Tonight’s going to be harsh isn’t it? 

 

Hayato: Also… can I really take the sleeping pills if I’m watching over Raiko? Isn’t that dangerous?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No… we’ll force feed her some too if necessary… these pills are our salvation Hayato! Don’t underestimate that! 

 

Hayato: Okay… well, you better make sure that you find them then!

 

Fusume: {Confident} I won’t fail… not again!

 

{Screen turns to black} 

 

… 

 

We both left the spa, Fusume stayed in the Red Building while I simply made my way back to my room. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

Well… I’ve honestly done enough socialising for the day… and to be fair, everyone’s either sleeping or busy. 

 

I have faith in Fusume… I know she’ll manage to find the drugs… but just in case, I should probably take a short nap… I need to be well rested if I’ve got to deal with the motive AND with Raiko’s crap at once. 

 

God… this won’t be fun will it?

 

… 

 

I dropped like a stone on my bed and fell asleep almost instantly.

 

{Screen turns to black}

 

… 

 

… 

 

 

 

 

… 

 

{The monitor in the room turns on, Monokuma can be seen in his usual jacuzzi} 

 

Monokuma: Guess what time it is? It’s… evening time!

 

Monokuma: I know it doesn’t sound as good as night time alright! But I need to make a distinction dammit!

 

Monokuma: Anywho, it’s time to divide the house once more… please make your way to the Red Building entrance… tonight’s going to be a fun one upupupupu!

 

Monokuma: Also, I don’t give a crap if you’re resting! Just get off your fat asses and hurry up! I won’t accept any latecomers!

 

Monokuma: Alrighto, I think that’s clear enough for you bastards… toodles!

 

{The monitor turns off} 

 

Wh-Whaa… it’s already evening?

 

… 

 

7:17!!!? I was looking for a short nap… and I’ve slept for almost 5 hours straight! Guess I really was sleep deprived… 

 

Damn… I thought I would have more time to prepare for tonight… but no, guess the moment is now… whether I want it or not. 

 

… 

 

Please, Fusume… please tell me you’ve found the pills. 

 

… 

 

I need to get going without further delay.

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} H-Hayato… I w-was about to knock. 

 

Oh no, I don’t like this expression… 

 

Hayato: Fusume… don’t tell me-

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I looked everywhere… literally everywhere I could… and I didn’t find them.

 

Fusume: I… I… {Bows} I’m truly sorry. I am once again nothing but a disappointment. 

 

Hayato: God dammit Fusume, stop saying that sort of thing! 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} But… you see… you are mad, and that is because I have let everybody down. 

 

Hayato: No, I’m mad because you’re acting this way… you set impossible goals for yourself and then you wonder why you keep on being disappointed. 

 

Hayato: Nobody will blame you Fusume… you’ve done nothing but good since we’ve arrived here. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} B-But… the others. 

 

Hayato: The others don’t even know about the sleeping pills… they won’t know. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} My plan was perfect… yet it was ruined… 

 

Hayato: Honestly, Fusume… we don’t have time for this. We don’t want to be late for Monokuma’s announcement. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} … 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} If only… I’d been stronger. 

 

Fusume… 

 

Hayato: What did we say Fusume…? “If only, those must be the two saddest world in the world” … you can’t be thinking like that! We’ve had this conversation before! 

 

Fusume: … 

 

Hayato: If you want we can talk about it later… but right now we should get going. 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Y-You’re right… thank you. 

 

Hayato: What for?

 

Fusume: {Smiles} Being here when I need you… I know that I can count on you Hayato.

 

Hayato: The feeling’s mutual… now let’s go.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Very well. 

 

{Auto-move to Red Building - Entrance} 

 

{As usual, everyone but Raiko and Reijiro are present} 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Hayadog! You made it! How’s the… y’know what.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Kenji-kun! It’s rude to be secretive in front of other people!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Yeah man… what are you even talking about?

 

Kenji: {Laughing out loud} Nothing special hahaha… 

 

Hayato: Kenji… I hate you. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Mwah! Love you too brother. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} All jest aside… did everybody make a good use of today? I hope that we are all well rested. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Y-Yes! I’ve slept like a b-baby!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Same here… I am ready to face whatever Monokuma has got to offer. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Ggh… I hope it won’t be as bad as last night though… that would really suck 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Unfortunately, it seems very unlikely that things will go better… every night’s gotten worse. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But… wasn’t Fusume-chan going to find a way to negate the motive!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Fusume… is this true?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m sorry… I can’t promise that tonight will be easier… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Aw… ad cogitavi… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} However, I maintain what I said earlier… the best way to deal with this motive is through unity!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Unity? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Whatever happens tonight… do not ever stay by yourselves… stay with the group… and if you can, take care of those who need it. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} This motive is tough… but the only ones who can hurt us are ourselves… whatever happens, remember that it’s all in your head and that if you try to calm down, nothing can happen to you. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} All that sounds easier said than done to be perfectly fair with you… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I know… but it’s the only advice I’ve got. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} … 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} I guess we’ll have to do our best, right guys!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} How are you still smiling man… after everything that happened to you. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Yeah… you’re probably the one who got it the worst. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast} What… this? It’s fine you know… I don’t want to concentrate on the negative, what’s the point of that?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Fusume’s right… we have to do our best to stick together… we’ll only make it through this if we stay united. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles through notes} You’ll always impress me Shinto you know… 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Haha!

 

Monokuma: {Appears} Upupupupu!

 

Tadao: {Nervous} He’s h-h-here…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} What’s up kidnap kid? No witty insult for me?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} … 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Kidnap kid… th-that’s how Y-Yoshi… called h-him… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Aw… poor Yoshi… what a shame that he ended up being a heartless murderer… wouldn’t you say? 

 

Oriana: {Cries} … 

 

Kenji. {Furious} Fuck you Monokuma… just get on with it already!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} What an eyesore… you guys really are no fun… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hurry up! 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Fine! I was giving you bastards some time to chill but if you want to skip the small talk and get straight into the action… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I can also do that. 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} We’ve already said what we had to say to each other… we know how to resist your motive you stupid bear!

 

Yoko: {Accusatory} So just get on with it! I’d rather be going crazy than listen to your dumb fucking voice! 

 

Ouch. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Yeah! Tell it sis. 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} upupupupupu…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} What’s… so funny? 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

 

That laugh… it’s so damn infuriating. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Resisting my motive… upupu… don’t make me laugh. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I guess we’ll see who’s laughing in the morning!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} It sure as hell won’t be you guys… trust me on this one. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Wh-What does that mean?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Could it be that-

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} I thought that we were skipping the small talk! So be quiet and listen to the groups… 

 

Once again… we’re about to be cut right through the middle… divide to conquer he said… as much as I hate to give him anything, I’m afraid that his tactic might be more efficient than we originally gave him credit for. 

 

Surviving this motive is that much harder once we’ve been split up

 

Oriana: {Cries} I… I… I d-don’t want to go through all th-this again!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Oriana-chan… 

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilate} I d-don’t want us t-to be separated… and… and… and… it’s g-gonna be all s-so scary… 

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaaaah! I want t-to g-go h-h-home!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} If that’s the case… you know there’s an easy way home dontcha? It’s called murder upupu!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Skip… the fucking… small talk. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Fine, sorry for politely answering you queries… 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} You want to do this fast… I can do this fast. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Tonight, you’ll be separated by gender. Boys one side and girls on the other if you will.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Ngh… What!? Why!!?

 

Shinto? That’s quite a strong reaction… 

 

Yoko: {Sad} … 

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} I guess it kinda doesn’t work since both Reijiro and Raiko are stuck on the same side… well, I guess I’ll make an exception for the two of them… 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} For the rest of you… it’s boy-girl! You know what awaits you if you try to cross that border… so y’know, don’t try. 

 

Boy-girl huh? It means I can’t count on Hikari or Fusume… that really sucks… tonight has a potential to be harder than the other nights then… It really all depends just what Monokuma has in store for us. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Alright! Finally, the boys can all hang together! 

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} That’s… actually kinda cool you know. 

 

Tadao: {Sombre} … 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} C’mon you dwarf… don’t be so gloom, cheer up. 

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Wh-What… what side are the boys staying in?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} The west wing will go the boys and the east to the girls. 

 

We’re staying in the west wing… I guess that means I will have to look after Raiko after all. 

 

Tadao: {Sombre} … {Leaves} 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Tadao-kun… he’s gone! What’s up with him. 

 

Hayato: He’s been like that since this morning… I’m not sure what got into him. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Tch… whatever it is, it’s nothing that a good old manly talk can’t fix. Don’t get hung up on him. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} So… I guess you guys are happy to all be staying together tonight huh?

 

Kôzuke: Yeah, why not!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Y-Yoko… will you be okay?

 

Yoko: {Kisses framed picture of Shinto} Aw… babe, you’re too cute. 

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Don’t worry… as I said earlier, we can survive without each other for a little while! I’ll see you in the morning!

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} Y-Yes… I’ll be thinking of you.

 

Monokuma: *Gag* Ew… that’s just about as much of this that I’m willing to take… you know your groups… you don’t need me to stick around. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Don’t try to break any rule tonight. I’ve let some stuff slide because of the motive but I won’t be so generous next time… 

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Sorry about killing you before!

 

Monokuma: Don’t mock me! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} As I said… I don’t think you guys will be laughing in the morning upupupu! Enjoy this “special” night! {Leaves} 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Why… would it be special?

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} Who know what the bastard’s got prepared… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} No matter, we have to look at it like any other night… excessive worrying won’t do us any good that’s for sure! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Very well… I appreciate this positive mentality… I do hope we will manage to keep it throughout the night… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I suppose that this is goodbye for now. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Yep, we shouldn’t wait too long before heading to our designated wing… We know that Monokuma’s dying to make us pay. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Boys! I’m counting on you! We will all take care of each other… you guys better do the same!

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} I… a-actually feel a tad bit safer if I’m w-with you girls!

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} Of course girly! 언니 will take good care of you!

 

Yoko: {Fans herself} As we said… we need to all stick together in order to be as safe as possible… you boys think you can do that?

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Of course! We’re all bros here! 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Definitely! Bros take care of each other man!

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} You heard them… 

 

Hayato: … 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} 

 

Hayato: Wh-What? Am I supposed to say something?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Nice one Hayadog! That’s the sharp wit we all know and love! 

 

I hate him. Pure hatred, that’s all I’ve got.

 

Fusume: {Confident} On that note… we better get a move on. 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Good luck guys… you better all be bursting with energy when I see you tomorrow morning! 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I have faith in you guys! viso geriausio!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Yoko… I… 

 

She ran towards him and they embraced. 

 

Shinto: Be safe alright?

 

Yoko: What are you shaking so much for my love? I’ll be just fine! Just… try not to break your other arm okay?

 

Shinto: R-right… I’ll do my best. 

 

Yoko: {Starry eyed} I love you. 

 

Shinto: I love you… too. 

 

They kissed passionately.

 

… 

 

My heart is currently melting.

 

Jessie: {Excited} AWWWWW YOU GUYS ARE SO CUTE!

 

Yep, somebody had to ruin it. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Let us get going. As usual… if there’s anything to report, don’t hesitate to press the SOS button in the waterbath, I’ll come as fast as I can… without actually crossing it of course. 

 

Hayato: Good luck girls… I have faith in all of you. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Good night everyone! Break a leg tonight!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Hey don’t say that! Shinto might take it literally!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Very funny. 

 

The girls all started leaving… the only one who didn’t budge was Fusume. Instead, she walked in my direction, got real close and whispered something in my ear 

 

Fusume: The thief… I’m almost certain that it’s a guy… I’ll explain my reasoning tomorrow morning…

 

Fusume: Just stay on your toes tonight, I’m counting on you! We won’t let the thief get away with stealing our trump card… we simply can’t let that happen. 

 

She took a step back and gave me a heartfelt smile before leaving with the other girls. 

 

… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Alright boys… I think we should also get moving. Let’s head to the west wing!

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} R-Right! Let’s do that!


Shinto: {Innocent smile} I’m right behind you guys! 

 

We shouldn’t waste any more time here… I don’t want to be out of bounds when Monokuma’s waterbath ban takes action. 

 

Let’s go. 

 

{Auto-move to Red Building - West Wing} 

 

{Kenji, Kôzuke and Shinto are here, Tadao is nowhere in sight}

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Guess we’re between guys now… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} So y’all can be honest with me… is everybody feeling okay?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I mean… obviously, I’m worried… but I have faith in everyone… so I think we’ll be alright. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I don’t really know what to think man… last night was horrible… but we made it through it… I guess it can’t be any worse than that?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} What about you Hayato? 

 

Hayato: Huh? M-Me? I guess that I’m fine?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Tell me, are you ready for your shift with Raiko? 

 

Hayato: Oh that… yeah, ready as I’ll ever be. Maybe I should get going… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Yeah, why don’t you do that… that way you can get settled in before that machine gets activated. 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Well then, good luck Hayato. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Both Shinto and I have spent a night with her… trust me you’ll need a lot of patience man. 

 

Hayato: Thanks for… reassuring me Kôzuke. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} While Hayato does that… you guys should get ready for bed, get your mattresses ready… if we could sleep a bit before we start going bonkers… it’d be nice.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} And you? What will you do?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Well, I’ll try to get a hand on Tadao… no matter how weird he’s acting, we need to keep him with us… we can’t let him alone during night time. 

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} Fair enough… We’ll be waiting for you Kenji man!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} If I don’t see you again… good luck Hayato. 

 

Hayato: Thanks.

 

Guess that’s my cue to go huh? 

 

… 

 

Raiko… I haven’t even seen her in days… she can’t be that bad can she? 

 

{Move to Isolation Room} 

 

{As usual, the only distinguishable piece of furniture is the restraint chair in the center of the room, Raiko is tightly secured by the chair’s clamps, her lower body covered with a thin white blanket}

 

Raiko: {In chair, bites lip} Huh… fresh meat is it? 

 

Hayato: Good evening Raiko. 

 

Raiko: {In chair, evil smile} How kind of you to keep me company Hayato… I knew you secretly loved me!

 

Hayato: You know damn well that I’m not doing this out of choice!

 

Raiko: {In chair, bites lip} Then why are you doing it? Aren’t you capable of making your own decisions?

 

Hayato: Of course I am… but I have to do this… me or someone else… we can’t just leave you alone in times like these!

 

Raiko: And why is that?

 

Hayato: Well, firstly you’ll starve… but other than that… this motive is messing with people’s heads… you need someone to be there for you… just in case. 

 

Raiko: {In chair, evil smile} Aw, so you do care about me! I knew it. 

 

Hayato: Ugh… this is pointless.

 

Raiko: {In chair, bites lip} Talking about starving, how’s Reijiro doing?

 

Hayato: Bad, but I’m sure the others already told you about it… don’t act like you care!

 

Raiko: {In chair, evil smile} Heh, you’re right… I don’t actually care! I’m just making conversation you know… if you’re to keep me company then you might as well not be boring!

 

Hayato: Okay, it’s been two minutes and I’m already done with you… why don’t you be quiet for a bit? 

 

Raiko: C’mon now… you can take it… either way, it’s not like you’ll be staying very long with me. 

 

Hayato: What are you talking about?

 

Raiko: {In chair, evil smile} Well, you know… that motive will start affecting you, you’ll go a little bit crazy and then you’ll leave screaming and running away just like the others did!

 

Hayato: You don’t know that!

 

Raiko: {In chair, neutral} But I do! Don’t you realise that the human mind is my area of expertise! I can see exactly when you’ll reach your breaking point hehe… 

 

Hayato: You know what, you act so smart but I’ve seen you last night… and you didn’t look so smug back then.

 

Raiko: {In chair, sweating} What can you possibly mean?

 

{Flashback} 

 

???: NYAHHHHHHHHHH

 

My thoughts were interrupted by a shriek coming from inside the isolation room. 

 

Terrified, I took a peak in and saw… 

 

{Raiko can be seen in the restraint chair, her entire body covered with a white sheet} 

 

Raiko: I CAN’T BREATHE, I CAN’T BREATHE! HELP ME! HELP ME! PLEASE! I’LL DO ANYTHING YOU WANT!

 

Oh… oh god. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Raiko: {In chair, bites lip} Ngh… fine, you got me. I’ll also get affected… and it won’t be fun. 

 

Raiko: {In chair, neutral} I can’t expect you to understand what it feels like… to be stuck here, with nowhere to go… 

 

Raiko: {In chair, sad} I can’t feel any of my limbs… my entire body hurts… 

 

Hayato: I’m sorry to hear that Raiko… despite everything you’ve done… I still don’t think that you deserve any of this. 

 

Raiko: {In chair, evil smile} You don’t? Even after I caused all these deaths!?

 

Hayato: Y-You… 

 

Raiko: {In chair, neutral} I mean to be fair… I’ve got quite the kill count already… Kyia could have lived if I had decided to save him… if he hadn’t died then Fukami would also still be with us today… 

 

Raiko: {In chair, evil smile} And about Rina and Yoshi… yeah, I guess their deaths are completely on me this time hehehehe!

 

Hayato: You… you monster! Why are you bragging about this!?

 

Raiko: Four deaths… it’s an achievement like any other… You can’t stop me from being proud of what I’ve done… 

 

Proud… she feels… proud?

 

Raiko: {In chair, evil smile} You lot thought you were safe by locking me here didn’t you? But the truth is… you’ve put me in a great position… 

 

Hayato: What can you possibly be talking about?

 

Raiko: Don’t you get it? I’ve made all these deaths happen… without ever getting my hands dirty… all that through the power of suggestion… that’s the Ultimate Schemer for you. 

 

She’s… got a point… she manipulated Yoshi without ever really getting involved… that’s the depth of her deception skills. 

 

Raiko: {In chair, bites lip} You guys must have thought that keeping me restrained would stop me from doing what I do… but I’ve had one on ones with almost everybody since I’ve landed in that chair… 

 

Raiko: {In chair, evil smile} So many conversations… so many opportunities to say just the right words… that might push somebody to murder… 

 

Hayato: That’s… what you’ve been doing during these shifts?

 

Raiko: But of course… what else would you have me do? I’ve had hours on end to think about my next move… and if you think that locking me here would stop that… then you’re even more of an idiot than I thought. 

 

This bitch… after all the horror 

 

Hayato: You… you… 

 

Raiko: {In chair, evil smile} C’mon… spit it out! Say it! I might be in pain… I might be immobile… but god am I exhilarated! 

 

Hayato: That’s it-

 

???: Is this a bad time man?

 

I turned around and saw

 

{Kôzuke can be seen in the doorway holding a coffee mug} 

 

Kôzuke: Sorry to bother you man but Shinto made some coffee for you… he said it could help you stay awake. 

 

Raiko: Aw, how cute. 

 

Hayato: Shut up. 

 

Kôzuke: D-D’you want it?

 

Hayato: Yes, Kôzuke, I’ll take it… thank you very much!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} It’s nothing man… don’t thank the messenger, just thank Shinto for being so thoughtful next time you see him!

 

Hayato: I’ll do just that!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Everything okay over there?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Oh Kenji! You’re here too!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I just wanted to check on Hayato… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Is she giving you hell? 

 

Raiko: {In chair, evil smile} Aw honey, I haven’t even gotten started yet!

 

Hayato: Let’s just say I am resisting a bestial urge to strangle her. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I think she does that to everyone man. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} She does… but I’ve discovered a trick for when she gets a bit too lippy. 

 

Raiko: {In chair, sweating} N-No, you don’t need to do that.

 

Kenji: It’s very simple... all you need to do is take this blanket over here…  

 

Raiko: Don’t do it!

 

{Camera shows Kenji placing the blanket over Raiko’s head so that it covers her entire body}

 

Kenji: Like that she’ll stay warm… and she won’t be able to speak as much!

 

Raiko: {Muffled} You… you prick! I can’t see anything with this over my head!

 

Kenji: Ah… isn’t that much better?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: Yeah… I think I’ll be able to take it… thanks guys. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Alright bro, let’s get back to Shinto shall we?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Yep I’m coming.  

 

They both left. 

 

… 

 

Raiko: {Muffled} Just because I’ve got this stupid blanket covering my mouth… doesn’t mean I’m done talking to you! 

 

Hayato: What a shame… because I’m done listening! 

 

Raiko: {Muffled} What are you talking about? 

 

Hayato: You almost got to me Raiko… almost. I guess the interruption came at the right time. 

 

Hayato: I’ll watch over you… but I don’t need to maintain a conversation with you! You won’t rattle me!

 

Raiko: {Muffled} We’ll see about that! 

 

Hayato: Babble all you want! You won’t get a reaction from me… I’ve got a nice cup of coffee to keep me company… I don’t need to pay attention to what you’re saying. 

 

I took a full sip from the coffee cup… I’m more of a tea guy myself… but I’ve got to say this is pretty nice. 

 

Raiko: {Muffled} You seriously think you can get rid of me like this? Me? Raiko Itake, the Ultimate Schemer!?

 

Raiko: {Muffled} Well, if that’s the case then you’ve got another thing coming! A simple blanket won’t stop me. 

 

{Suddenly, the screen gets blurry} 

 

Wow… wh-what’s going on?  

 

Raiko: {Muffled} Hey, why aren’t you speaking!? S-Say something dammit!

 

I… What’s happening to me… I feel so numb… 

 

Raiko: {Muffled} Talk to me Hayato… I can’t see anything… are you still there!?

 

I… I… I… 

 

I… 

 

feel… 

 

sleepy… 

 

Raiko: {Muffled} HAYATO!

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

 

 

… 

 

… 

 

… 

 

*Gasp* 

 

What happened…? I fell asleep so quickly… did somebody drug me? Is that what that was? 

 

It’s like I couldn’t control myself… I couldn’t stop myself from sleeping… 

 

R-Raiko! I’m supposed to watch over her! God knows for how long I’ve been sleeping! I have no idea what time it is… 

 

{Scene opens mimicking Hayato’s eyes opening, the white blanket still covers Raiko’s entire body} 

 

This room… it’s so dark… I can barely make out the chair's silhouette... 

 

Hayato: Raiko… is everything okay? 

 

… 

 

No answer… is she asleep? And… and… oh! What happened with the motive? Did I miss it? I have no memory of anything happening to me… anything other than that sudden urge to sleep. 

 

Hayato: Raiko… just tell me that you’re okay, then you can sleep. 

 

… 

 

She’s still not answering… god dammit, I guess I’ll have to check up on her myself huh? 

 

I got up from my chair and walked towards Raiko… and that’s when I saw…

 

{Close-up on the restraint chair, a small bloodstain can be seen on the center of the blanket} 

 

Th-this stain… what is that!? It can’t be… blood can it?

 

N-No, there’s no way… she was fine just a few moments ago… it’s gotta be paint… yeah, it’s just like last time… it’s not blood, it’s paint… she’s trying to trick me. That's it! 

 

Hayato: Raiko… I’m going to lift the blanket now… I’m just checking that you’re okay… 

 

That’s right… I’m going to take the blanket off… and she’ll simply be sleeping there… that’s right… everything will be fine… there’s nothing to worry about. 

 

… 

 

And so I took the blanket off… and immediately wished that I hadn’t. 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAZn2LE9gqk)

 

{Camera shows the victim’s hand still restrained to the chair, tense to the point of looking almost like a claw, it then pans down to their legs, securely fastened yet dangling in the air, almost long enough to reach the wodden floor. The camera then pans up to show the victim’s chest, covered in blood, a gaping hole in their stomach takes center stage. Finally, the camera zooms out completely to show the body of Tadao Yamateko}

 

Wh-wh-wh… 

 

Hayato: AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

 

Tadao… how… how… 

 

Hayato: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?

 

 

He can’t be dead… he can’t be… we said that we wouldn’t have another murder… we promised… 

 

N-No… with a hole like this… he can’t be alive… that’s the logical conclusion…. 

 

What the fuck am I saying!? There’s nothing logical about this! We knew for a fact that there was no way to get Raiko out of this chair… so how… how is somebody else in her place… and why is he dead dammit?

 

Raiko’s gone… completely, she’s disappeared and in her place… the dead body of Tadao… It sounds ridiculous just thinking about it. 

 

… 

 

Wait! The body discovery announcement! It hasn’t played… that’s because I’m the only one who found the body… What can I do…? what can I do!?

 

Y-Yes! That’s right! The SOS button! I need help! I need people to come over here right now! 

 

I’ll… I’ll get to that button… and then Fusume will come to the rescue… she’ll have the solution. It’s gonna be alright!

 

{Camera shows Tadao’s body} 

 

Hayato: I’m so sorry Tadao… I’ll be back soon! I won’t forget about you!

 

{Screen turns black} 

 

Still dizzy from the unnatural sleep I had just emerged from, I ran to the waterbath.

 

… 

 

The SOS button… that’s what’ll save me… I’m gonna get Fusume’s help! I'm sure that she’ll know what to do! 

 

… 

 

I ran as fast as I could until I got to the waterbath corridor, out of breath… but ready to be relieved of this massive weight on my shoulders. 

 

{Auto-move to Waterbath} 

 

The… the water level’s is about halfway up this time around... this probably has something to do with the emotions motive… Monokuma tried messing with us again, that’s all it is!

 

Alright, all I have to is press this stupid button… and everything will be-

 

… 

 

I wanted to press it… I really did… I really really really really really did. But I couldn’t help it. I couldn’t help but look at the water… it’s deep red colour quickly capturing my attention. 

 

I couldn’t help but notice that something was floating at the other edge of the waterbath, right next to the corridor leading to the east wing. 

 

Something… or rather… someone. 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAZn2LE9gqk )

 

{Camera zooms in on the waterbath’s far wall, a smudged bloodstain in the shape of a handprint can be seen, as the camera is lowered, we can see the second victim’s right hand, covered in blood resting by their body on the bath’s rim, the rest of the body is half submerged under water, the top of their body sticking out of the crimson red stream. As the camera zooms out entirely, the full body of Yoko Kurisu, one half of the Ultimate Couple, comes into view}

 

Y-Y-Y-Yoko… too… 

 

How… how can this be…? 

 

… 

 

At the mercy of my emotions… and overcome by the sheer despair that invaded my heart, I let out a blood curdling shriek. 

 

Hayato: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

 

I fell to my knees as I saw the body of my friend, gently floating on the water’s surface. 

 

Such calm… such tranquility… almost masking the hell that this would bring upon us. 

 

Tadao… and Yoko… both dead. 

 

The killing game had started again… for a third time… it was to be meaner and crueler than ever before… and for once, I had no certitude of being able to fight through it. 

 

The despair… crushed me. 




 

Notes:

Fun fact, I hated writing this chapter knowing who the victims were going to be. The more I write, the harder it is to say goodbye to some characters... but I personally loved these two and I'm sad to see them go.

Obviously, I went for a double murder (these are usually my favs) so now's the time to start theorising, if you've got any clue on who the killer(s?) is, or have any feedback or simply want to curse me for killing your faves, leaving a comment is the perfect media to do that!

On another note, I want to experiment with having a discord server for this fic, I'm very new to it all but it would mean a lot to me if you joined and shared whatever you want to share with me on there, follow this link for that : https://discord.gg/vcNjFbf

That's it for me, I hope you're enjoying this roller coaster of a chapter 3, and as usual, I'd like to thank anyone still reading for sticking along! The support means a lot to me

I'll see you in the next one for the investigation! ;)

Chapter 34: Chapter 3 : At the Mercy of our Emotions : Deadly Life

Notes:

I decided not to split the investigation in half and have it all wrapped up in one update this time around which means this one's a little bit longer than usual!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

What… what is this…? 

 

As hard as I’m trying… I just can’t comprehend what I’m seeing. 

 

{Close-up on Yoko’s body} 

 

Why… why her? Why Yoko…? She was finally opening up to us… 

 

And even though she acted tough in front of Shinto… she proved to us that she had a big heart and that her main concern was making sure that we were all feeling alright… and most of all, she was my friend…  so why did she have to die?

 

{Black and white image of Tadao’s body} 

 

And him… despite who he really was… he was hiding a great amount of pain… and when others were in need of help he showed us that he was capable of a lot of maturity… even though nobody trusted him… even though he’d been accused of murder multiple times… and now he’s gone before he could show us more of his true self. 

 

… 

 

Two more bodies… two more of our friends who will never open their eyes again… I’ll never hear Tadao’s voice or see Yoko’s smile… they’re all gone forever… and it’s… one of us who killed them. 

 

Why…?

 

WHY?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Hayato-kun!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We heard you scream! You had me scared, what’s the-

 

She never finished that sentence… stopped in her tracks by the traumatising sight that unveiled to the both of them. 

 

Jessie: {Scared} N-No… YOKO-CHAAAAAAAN!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ggh… what in the hell? How could this happen…? And once… once again, I was powerless to stop it. 

 

Fusume: {Pulls on hair} Ngggggghhhhh! Damn it!!!!

 

{The monitor in music room turns on}

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

Monokuma: Attention ye bastards: A body has just been discovered! Following a brief time for investigation, the class trial will begin!

 

Monokuma: I was starting to think you’d never get it done but once again… you lot don’t disappoint me! 

 

Monokuma: Seriously, I’m like a proud dad at his children’s graduation… ahem, I wander. Please gather at the waterbath corridor immediately. 

 

{The monitor turns back off}

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato! Did you find her just now?

 

Hayato: … 

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} Answer me dammit!

 

Hayato: It’s not all… 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Wh-What are you talking about?

 

Hayato: Tadao… h-he… he’s also… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ngh… you can’t be serious. 

 

Jessie: {Crying} Yoko-chan… and Tadao-kun? I c-can’t believe it… why…? Why is this happening to us? 

 

Why…? That really is the question, isn’t it? Why us? What have we done to deserve such suffering?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I promised I’d protect everyone… and I’ve lost… not one but two more… ggh… 

 

Alerted by Monokuma’s announcement, the others eventually joined us in the waterbath. First, the girls that remained on the east side. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} What happened! I heard the-

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Oh god… Y-Yoko… wh-what the hell happened here? 

 

Hikari: {Sad} G-God… not again… 

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaah! *Faints*

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Oriana! Get up… please! Don’t scare me like that! Now’s not the time. 

 

Oriana: {Scared} I d-d-d-don’t… want to face another c-class… trial… please m-make this stop!

 

And then the boys… oh!

 

The boys… that includes… god no… I hadn’t even thought about… his reaction to all of this… n-no!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Sorry that we’re late! Kenji misheard the announcement and we thought that-

 

Kôzuke: {Horrified} Nyaaaaaaaah! There… there’s really a body in here m-man!

 

Kôzuke: {Pale} I think… I’m going to be sick… {Throws up in helmet} Hngh!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt} Don’t tell me that somebody else fucking-

 

Kenji: {Rips shirt open} What!? Th-this makes no sense! In here…? 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} D-Dammit… why her…? Why did it have to be her?

 

Kenji: {Tearing up} Yoko… I failed to protect you… 

 

And finally… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Who is it? Tell me who it is!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Shinto… you shouldn’t come any closer… 

 

Shinto: {Angry} Why not!? Why can’t I come closer! Let me see… I want to see!

 

Kenji and Fusume formed a sort of barrier in front of Shinto to stop him from seeing… the body. 

 

Shinto: {Angry tears} Why aren’t you letting me see it dammit! I need to take a look! I need to make sure that it isn’t-

 

And just like that, fueled by his apparent stress, Shinto made it past them. 

 

Shinto: {Livid} N-No… this can’t be… you’re… you’re lying… 

 

Shinto: {Horrified} NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

 

{Shinto drops to his knees next to Yoko’s body, frantically shaking her}

 

Shinto: Come on baby… wake up… 

 

Shinto: Wake up… babe…  wake up! Don’t do this to me!

 

Shinto: You have to wake up! You can’t… you can’t be… n-no… 

 

Shinto: I w-won’t accept it… this isn’t true! This is… this… n-n-no… 

 

Shinto: YOKOOOOOOO! WAKE UP! JUST PLEASE WAKE UP

 

{He crumbles down and starts sobbing quietly on her bloody chest} 

 

Shinto: P-Please… remember everything we had planned… we w-were… going to g-get married… Y-Y-Yoko… 

 

Shinto: We were… 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

And all of a sudden, Shinto stood up abruptly. When he looked up to face the group, instead of the sheer pain I was expected to find… I saw.

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} One of you… did this to her didn’t you?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Shinto-kun?

 

Shinto: {Livid} Don’t you fucking try to tell me otherwise… 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Every single time somebody died… she wanted to believe that it wasn’t one of us… that it was Monokuma… 

 

Shinto: {Angry tears} And she was wrong… every time. It was one of us… it’s always one of us. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} No, not one of us… one of you… one of you k-killed her.

 

Shinto: {Angry tears} Why… why would you do this to me? 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, looking down} Y-Yoko… Yoko… Y-Y-YOKOOOOOOOOOOO! {Leaves}

 

He ran out, his angry sobs echoing in the vast corridor. 

 

Oriana: {Crying} Kyaaaah! Th-This is… t-too horrible!

 

Kenji: {Looking to the floor} Poor Shinto… and poor… poor Yoko… this fucking sucks. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Should uh… somebody go get him to come back?  

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Th-There’s no point. Nobody here can start to imagine what he’s currently going through… we must give him time… it’s pointless to talk to him while he’s in this state. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} She’s right… losing a loved one… can make you forget everything else you thought you knew… you need to give him enough time for him to calm down… or his pain will only grow more visceral.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Trust me on this one. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} B-But we can’t just leave Shinto-kun alone! Not after this… 

 

Hayato: Honestly… I don’t think he’ll even consider talking to one of us… after all in his mind, we’re all suspects. I suppose it’s wiser to let him get over this in his own time… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Get over it? D’you really think he’ll get over it!? That’s ridiculous. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} And as much as I hate to say it… it isn’t really his own time as much as it’s all of our time… we only have a limited period to investigate after all. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Yet surely, after what happened there’s no way he’ll contribute to the investigation is there? 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} Hhngh! S-Sorry. I guess I’m the one wasting time talking about it… 

 

Looks like Kenji is also being hit quite hard by the news… after all the two of them were close friends… 

 

… 

 

Everybody’s been hit hard… and what’s frightening is that they don’t even know half of it. 

 

Hayato: G-Guys… I’m sorry to have to say this to you… I know this is already hard enough but… but… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Y-You’re scaring me… what are you talking about?

 

Hayato: There’s another body. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} What did you just say?

 

Hayato: Somebody else is dead.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} WHAAAT!?

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} … 

 

Hikari: {Sad} You’re… you’re joking, right? 

 

Hayato: Of course not! Why would I be joking about something like this? 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} B-But if we’re all here… then the second victim can only be one of three-

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It’s Tadao. Tadao’s dead. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} T-Tadao…? But he… he… 

 

Now that I think of it… Tadao had been acting off since yesterday morning. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Ngh!

 

Hayato: It’s you again!

 

Tadao: {Nervous} I m-must… I… 

 

He’s just like we saw him this morning… it’s like there’s no trace of the Tadao we know… 

 

Hayato: Tadao… what’s happened to you? Why are you like this?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} I… I… 

 

Hayato: You what?

 

Tadao: {Nervous} I r-r-rem… ggh!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Just leave me alone! {Leaves} 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

And now… I guess we’ll never know what was up with him.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} So the guy’s really dead huh? 

 

Hayato: Y-Yes… I found him in the isolation room. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} The isolation room? D’you think Raiko could have something to do with it man? 

 

Hayato: That’s… possible, considering… that uh… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Spit it out! 

 

Hayato: She wasn’t in the chair when I woke up… 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} She what!?

 

Hayato: His body was in the restraint chair… instead of her. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} How high are you bro!? That’s not fucking possible!

 

Hayato: Well it is! Just go and see for yourself if you don’t believe me!

 

Jessie: {Sad} How… how did she get out of the chair? I th-thought it was impossible… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} So did everyone… but it appears that there was a way… I still can’t fathom how… but somebody had to find a way to swap the both of them around. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I don’t believe it… I won’t believe it… until I see it for myself!! 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Wh-Where are you going man!?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Two deaths… and now you want to tell me that the girl who’s been stuck to that chair for days… 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Who I’ve been trying to free for days… she just magically got out and got someone else in her place? 

 

Kenji: {Furious} There’s no fucking way that I’ll believe that! So I’m going to go and see it with my own two eyes! 

 

???: You’re not going anywhere! 

 

That… that insufferable voice. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} You wouldn’t wanna miss my investigation briefing now would ya?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Y-You… 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} You know how this goes by now don’t you? You don’t have time to waste!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} That is… if you want to have a chance to survive the trial upupu!

 

Oriana: {Cries} S-So… it’s r-really happening a-a-again… 

 

Jessie: {Scared} The class trial… ধুর!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Tell me Monokuma… how will this class trial work?

 

Monokuma: {Sad} Wait, you still don’t get it? How many times do I have to explain the rules!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You know that’s not what I meant… I’m asking in what way this double murder will change the way the class trial functions… 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Oh, of course! Don’t you worry about that… I’ll explain everything at the start of the trial. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} But let me say this… two bodies mean a possible… two blackened!

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} T-T-T-Two… Blackened!?

 

Having one of our friends a murderer isn’t enough anymore is it? Now we have to fathom… there being two killers. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You won’t tell me anything now? Is that it?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Just focus on your investigation for now will ya? Everything regarding possible changes in the class trial will be explained in due time. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Fine! If you’re here to give us your stupid fucking file then do so now! And don’t waste our “precious” time any longer! 

 

Monokuma: {Sad} Aw, why so aggressive…? Especially when I’m the bear-er of good news! 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} You’ve made that exact same fucking joke once already! Just get to the point. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Rude. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} P-Please… tell us wh-what your g-good news are?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Can they really be that good? 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Well, I’ve got good news and bad news… the question is which one would you rather hear first?

 

Oriana: {Shy look} G-Good p-please-

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Why don’t you start with bad!? Get it out of the way!

 

Oriana: {Cries} But-

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The order really doesn’t matter… we’re getting both either way.

 

Kenji: {Furious} But what take the fucking risk? We don’t know what his news are gonna be like-

 

Hayato: Guys! This doesn’t matter! Just let him speak!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Wowzers, spoken like a true champ. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Fusume does have a point… I’m gonna tell you both no matter what… but just to make sure Tarzan doesn’t have an aneurysm, I’ll start with the bad news. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Don’t… fucking… call me-

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Now, without further ado… bad news, get in here!!!

 

He’s… calling someone?

 

???: Hey friends! Did you miss me?  

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Oh no… 

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} I’m back! 

 

Kenji: {Furious} You… fucking… bitch!

 

{Kenji picks Raiko up by her throat and slams her against the wall} 

 

Kenji: How the fuck did you get out of that chair huh?

 

Raiko: Let… go… of… me… 

 

Kenji: Not until you answer my fucking question!

 

Raiko: I… can’t speak… when you’re pressing… on my throat… you fool. 

 

Kenji: Don’t you fucking insult me!

 

Fusume: Kenji! Get off! 

 

Kenji: Huh?

 

Fusume: Let her go… now!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Raiko: {Holds neck} *Cough* *Cough*

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Kenji! What the hell!?

 

Kenji: {Furious} She’s the fucking killer! Everything up to now has been her fucking fault! Are you saying that it’s a coincidence that we found a dead body in the exact place she was tied to for the past week?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} And the possibility of me being framed didn’t even cross your idiotic mind? 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} That’s… that’s… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hey, Raiko… what’s your version of what happened then?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Simple, I was awoken by the clamps around my entire body suddenly being untightened… I got up and went to sleep in the cinema. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} It was basically impossible to sleep in that chair… so I decided to rest… that’s all that happened. I don’t know anything else.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Fucking bullshit! There hasn’t been a single murder without your interference! You’re so obviously guilty!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Dammit Kenji! You know for a fact that it was impossible for me to get out of that chair on my own! You of all people should know I couldn’t have done this!

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} That’s… that’s... 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} C’mon save the arguing for the trial… I’ve still got the good news to get through!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} She… there’s no way… that she’s actually innocent. 

 

Fusume: {Softly} We won’t know that for sure until we get the investigation done Kenji… just let Monokuma speak and then we’ll figure out what to do. 

 

It obviously is no coincidence that Tadao was killed and found right where Raiko had been trapped… but at the same time, she makes a compelling point. There was no way for her to get out of the chair by herself… was there? 

 

Ngh, Fusume’s probably right… there’s no point in having this debate before we investigate… with all the evidence in mind it’ll be possible to determine if she’s done this or not. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Alrighto, you’ve seen the bad news… now please welcome… THE GOOD NEWS

 

… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Wh-what’s going on? 

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} He must not have heard me… ahem. THE GOOD NEWS!

 

???: I already told you multiple times that I would not come out under this stupid pretext. 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Th-That voice… 

 

It’s… 

 

Reijiro: {Pale} Mmph… such idiocy. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Reijiro-kun!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} How… are you here…?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Hm… I appreciate the enthusiasm. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Reijiro’s the good news… just like Raiko was the bad.

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Naw… I’m not that much worse than him am I?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Shut your fucking mouth. 

 

Monokuma: {Happy} As I’ve said numerous times, I am a bear of my word… Reijiro’s starvation was only going to last until the next murder… 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Which is why I fed him the moment somebody died… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} And that happened a few hours ago… thus explaining the reasons behind me feeling well enough to be up. 

 

That’s right… I had completely forgotten that Reijiro’s punishment would end at the first murder… I guess it was hard to think of the positive after finding two dead bodies… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} B-But… even though you were fed… you should still be resting! Your body is still recuperating from what you went through!

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Thank you for worrying… however, I believe that I am perfectly aware of what my body can or cannot take. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You have to take it easy… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I can rest when this is all over… but for now, we have an investigation to carry… and by the look of it it’ll be twice as arduous as the previous ones… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} And I believe to be an important asset to the investigation. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I guess he’s got a point man… he’ll definitely be useful in the investigation… and we need to find who killed the two of them man!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} upupupu… incredible!! You’ve finally accepted that the blackened is one of you bastards! Nobody’s suspecting me of having interfered of what not… it is in the rulebook now, and as I said… I’d never break one of my rules!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Then again, the one who kept on asking if I was behind it all is very dead at the moment… rest in pepperonis Yoko and your silly conspiracy theories upupupu!

 

Kenji: {Furious} You fucking dick! Say that again and I’ll decapitate you like I did to the last Monokuma!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Watch your words Kenji… don’t you think you’ve suffered enough casualties for one night?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Ggh… just give us the damn file and fuck off!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} That’s more like it… without my file you’ll amount to nothing at all… so y’know… better pay some respect. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} You’ve done your part and threatened us… can you please give us the file now please?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Actually… I can’t! Somebody’s missing!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Huh… is that so?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} I only count nine of you… there should be ten! Where’s Shinto!?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Ngh… he’s… he’s… 

 

Hayato: Let’s just say he won’t be taking part in the investigation… we’ve agreed upon it before your arrival!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} It’s not your place to decide! My announcement explicitly asked for everybody’s presence!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Now listen here… I know you’re a heartless and emotionless entity… but the guy just lost the most important person in his life… he won’t be any help in the investigation to any of us.

 

Fusume: {Pulls out kunai} We decided as a group to give him some time to himself to make sure he’ll be well enough to participate in the trial… you want that don’t you?

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} Well yeah but-

 

Fusume: {Confident} Then it’s settled… the rules state it clearly, the participation in the class trial is mandatory but nobody said anything of the sort as far as the investigation goes! 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} … 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Fine, I guess your argument is valid… 

 

Wait, she managed to reason him? I didn’t think that was even possible. 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} I guess you bastards can catch him up on the results of the investigation… we’ve wasted enough time as is. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You feeling ready to give us the file yet? 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} But of course! Both files have already been loaded on your Resident ID!

 

Monokuma: To assist in your investigation I’ll drain the waterbath… that was you won’t have to step in and out of it and leave disgusting red footprints everywhere!

 

He snapped his fingers and… 

 

{The water level slowly goes down until Yoko’s body is completely in view}

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} You now have have all the tools in hand to solve this…  devilish deed. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} As if solving one murder wasn’t hard enough… this time we’ve gotta solve two. 

 

Kenji: {Rips shirt} GRRRRH FUCK!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} upupu… Guess I’d better leave you to it… y’all got a lot on your plates. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Good luck everyone… and of course have fun!!! {Disappears} 

 

And so the bear vanished as swiftly as ever… leaving us in complete silence. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Ahem, perhaps we should get going with our respective investigations… as usual, time is a precious asset in this period. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} R-Reijiro… are you uh… s-sorry for asking, but are you s-sure you’re w-w-well enough to investigate?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Positively so… and either way, it will not be the first time I investigate without being in the best of shapes… 

 

That is true… last time he investigated mere moments after having been knocked unconscious by Yoshi’s escape plan. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Nobody knows better than Reijiro how able he’ll be… either way, we need all the help we can get. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Damn right… this will probably be the hardest case we’ve had to solve thus far. 

 

Yeah… this time we’re dealing with two murders… and potentially two murderers… this isn’t going to be easy. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Correct… we will have to give it our all… but we have made it this far and there is absolutely no reason for this to be any different. 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Pff… yeah right. {Leaves}

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That… bitch… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Leave her alone for now, Kenji… the truth of the matter is that she likely isn’t responsible for this… her entrapment gives her a perfect alibi. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} My thinking exactly… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} But if Raiko-chan isn’t the killer… or at least partially responsible… then who is?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} We’ve never had a murder without her interfering with it… could it be that this time… the killer acted by themselves… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} And caused two deaths instead of one… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} The only way for us to figure out who the blackened is… will be to take this investigation very seriously and work together… like we’ve always done. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You’re right… this time I won’t make the same mistake as last time… I can’t rush to conclusions… We’ve got to investigate the hell out of this case!!!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} That we do… For Yoko-chan… for Tadao-kun… and for Shinto-kun. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} The qu-quicker we f-f-find who the k-k-killer is… the l-less Shinto w-will have to think about uh… it… and the e-easier it’ll b-b-be for him to m-move on!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} It’s a tragedy for Shinto… just like it’s a tragedy for all of us… We have a murderer… or two among our ranks… and we can’t forgive that. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Everybody! Give it your best! For our fallen classmates!!

 

And for those still alive… because if we don’t identify the guilty party then we’ll all join them in death. 

 

As usual, I have no choice but to solve this case. Failure simply isn’t an option… our lives hang in the balance. 

 

At least one of us… decided to end a life tonight… the life of a friend. 

 

Yoko and Tadao… are never to wake up from this… I couldn’t save them… but now I must give them justice. 

 

Justice… that’s right, whoever’s behind this will pay the ultimate price… 

 

And I’ll make sure of that! 

 

{The group disperses, leaving only Reijiro, Fusume and Kôzuke in the room} 

 

{Investigation Starts} 

 

First of all, I should take a look at the Monokuma File… just to make sure I know exactly what I’m dealing with. 

 

{Camera shows the Monokuma File displayed on Hayato’s Resident ID} 

 

Monokuma File : 

 

The first victim is Tadao Yamateko, the body was discovered tied to the restraint chair in the isolation room. Estimated time of death is between 2 and 4 AM. The victim was fully impaled in the stomach with a sword-like object. Death was almost immediate. Other notable injuries include minor rope burns on the victim’s neck, no poison was found in the victim’s blood. 

 

{Hayato scrolls down until a picture of Yoko is seen} 

 

The second victim is Yoko Kurisu, one half of the Ultimate Couple, the body was discovered floating in the waterbath corridor. Estimated time of death is between 2 and 4 AM. The victim was stabbed in the throat with a sharp object, the wound is about 2 inches deep. There are signs of suffocation and the victim likely choked on their blood. It took a few minutes before the victim died. There are no other notable injuries, nor traces of poison. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Two Monokuma Files for the price of one huh? Something’s… kind of odd here though. 

 

The time of death is super imprecise… and the cause of deaths aren’t directly stated… I guess we can assume that their main injury was what killed them… Tadao was impaled and Yoko choked on her blood… just like Rina before her. 

 

Fuck… this is horrible… 

 

{MONOKUMA FILES #3 & 4 added to truth bullets} 

 

As much as I don’t want to… the last two investigations taught me that it’s important to examine the body… Fusume’s already at it, I should join her. 

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Good morning… or evening?{Hurt} Ngh… I don’t even know what time it is anymore… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Calm down Fusume… deep breaths… I need to concentrate on the task at hand. 

 

Hayato: Yeah, I know this isn’t easy… but we’ve got to make sure we’re sufficiently prepared for the next class trial! 

 

Hayato: Have you already had a chance to take a look at Yoko’s body?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I have… and something’s definitely amiss here… 

 

Hayato: Amiss?

 

Fusume: {Confident} See for yourself. I think you’ll notice it quickly. 

 

So something’s off about the body? I guess I should take a closer look… It’s almost like I’m used to the horror by now. 

 

{Close-up on Yoko’s body} 

 

{Examine Yoko’s injury} 

 

Hm… she was quite clearly stabbed here… though, I must say that the wound doesn’t seem quite as deep as Rina’s was… that would explain why her death wasn’t as instantaneous.

 

It looks like she was stabbed frontally instead of having her throat slit… 

 

It does seem like a weird way to stab someone… the throat isn’t as convenient a place to stab than the body isn’t it? There must be a reason for her wound to be where it is. 

 

{Examine Yoko’s hand} 

 

Her hand is covered in blood… the truth is I can’t actually know for sure how much she bled out of her wound since the blood was likely drained out with the bath’s water. 

 

Still, it’s wise to assume that the blood on her hand came from her injury. 

 

{Examine bloody handprint} 

 

Right next to her hand… there’s smudged handprint going down the wall… It looks like she was trying to reach the control panel but she fell down right before she managed. 

 

Was she trying to call for help? Is that why she went for the panel?

 

Either way… the handprint seems to match her hand size and it’s definitely blood on that wall… If only she’d managed to get to the SOS button… things would be very different. 

 

{Examine Waterbath} 

 

This waterbath… it’s just a classic poolside waterbath that would usually be used for people to clean their feet before entering… yet, it was given so much more importance by Monokuma’s motive. 

 

We weren’t allowed to cross it… so the real question is what was Yoko doing here? Was she perhaps… going to break the rule?

 

… 

 

I think I’ve examined everything of importance around the body… but I still don’t know what Fusume meant… 

 

I guess I’ll have to pu my pride on the side once more and just ask her what the heck she meant. 

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} So, did you find it? 

 

Hayato: Uh… I’m going to have to go with a confident no. 

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Ugh… why am I not surprised?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I guess I’m going to have to explain it to you then… 

 

Hayato: Yes, please do. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Doesn’t the position that she’s in seem… unnatural to you?

 

Hayato: Unnatural?

 

{Close-up on the body}

 

Now that she mentions it… it is slightly weird. 

 

Yoko’s lying on her right side… yet her right arm isn’t resting beside her body… instead it’s awkwardly positioned under her head… I’m not sure her articulations are supposed to bend this way. 

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hayato: Her right arm… why is it in this position?

 

Fusume: {Content} So you’ve finally noticed it… the problem isn’t simply how the arm is positioned… the problem is that it’s heavily dislocated!

 

Hayato: Wh-What!? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} You heard me… Yoko’s right arm is dislocated… and it seems very unlikely that this injury isn’t related to to the murder. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Especially since that handprint was made with her right hand!

 

Hayato: But… if that’s the case… wouldn’t that injury be present in the Monokuma File? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Exactly! The Monokuma Files have always been reliable so far… even minor injuries were inscribed in said files… so why is her arm injury not even mentioned in this file!?

 

Hayato: You’re right… Something’s definitely odd here. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Monokuma isn’t supposed to keep things hidden from us, these trials are supposed to be fair after all… so what does this inconsistency mean?

 

I have a bad feeling about this… The whole bases of our investigations was that we could trust the information that Monokuma gave us, but what if… we couldn’t?

 

{MONOKUMA FILE INCONSISTENCY added to truth bullets}

 

{Talk to Reijiro}

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… greetings, I presume you would like to discuss the investigation with me. 

 

Hayato: That would be quite nice actually… have you noticed anything special around here?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I have obviously observed all the principal details of the crime scene, I assume you have too. 

 

Hayato: Y-Yeah, definitely!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… if you have already been so exquisitely… “thorough” then let me share something that you might not have noticed. 

 

At least he’s back to being smug… I almost want to say I missed this Reijiro… except I really didn’t. 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} If you will, take a look at the control panels on both ends of this corridor. 

 

Hayato: The control panels huh?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The smudged bloodstain indicates that the victim tried reaching for the east wing’s panel right? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} However, there is a thick layer of dust on both panels… which indicates that neither has been used in recent days… the only exception to that rule are the rope levers on the west wing. 

 

I remember those… you can use them to pop down some thick ropes from the ceiling. 

 

Hayato: So you’re positive that nothing other than these levers was touched recently. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Correct, at least that is what the evidence indicates… 

 

That’s interesting… it means that nobody could have changed the water level or pressed the SOS button in the past couple of days… either that or they managed to do so without using the panels. 

 

{CONTROL PANEL added to truth bullets} 

 

What Reijiro just told me is quite intriguing… the only aspect of the control panel which could have been used are these rope-triggering levers… perhaps I should check them out… just to be sure. 

 

Hayato: Guys, I’m going to let the ropes drop down from the ceiling okay? I want to make sure they aren’t connected to the murder.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Mmph… if you think that it is necessary… then be my guest. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Go ahead Hayato! Tell me what you find. 

 

Alright, let’s go. 

 

{Examine control panel}

 

Let’s see… I just need to pull down on this lever… and this one… and finally: this one. 

 

{Three ropes drop down from the ceiling, the first one is close to the west wing side of the waterbath, the second is perfectly in the middle and the third is next to the east wing} 

 

Alright… let’s give these ropes a look. I can’t miss anything… if they were used in the killer’s plan… then I can’t let that slide!

 

{Examine Rope #1}

 

The rope closest to the west wing… wait, there’s something tied on the end of it… is that…

 

{Close-up on the the first rope, a foldable chair is tied to the rope’s extremity} 

 

A chair!!? What the hell is this doing here?

 

… 

 

I remember, this is the type of chair that we sat on back at Yoshi’s show all these days ago… they’re kept in the gym’s storage room. 

 

Talking about the storage room... I think I can see a thin piece of nylon tied to the edge of the chair... this could have been found in the fishing kit in that same room!

 

Still… this makes no sense to me… why is this chair here of all places? And why did somebody try to hide it in the ceiling?

 

{Back to normal}

 

{Examine Rope #2} 

 

Well… there’s no chair tied to this one at least… but still… something is drawing my attention to this particular rope. 

 

{Close up on the second rope, the far end of it is tied into what looks like a noose} 

 

Was this rope already like this to start with? Is this a part of Monokuma’s horrible humour… storing the ropes tied to a noose… or is there maybe some sort of reason for this rope to be tied this way?

 

I guess I’ve got no way to know at the moment. 

 

{Examine Rope #3} 

 

Finally, the last rope…

 

Hm… I can’t say that there’s anything peculiar about this one… that’s good for a change. 

 

In fact, running my finger along it I can see pretty clearly that this rope is very dusty… almost as if it hadn’t been brought down from the ceiling in a long time. 

 

Interesting…? 

 

… 

 

Those are all three ropes… I’ve taken a good look… and now I have even more questions than before… each rope as something off about it… but I guess I need more pieces of the puzzle before I can figure out what this all means. 

 

{AUTOMATED CEILING added to truth bullets} 

 

{Talk to Kôzuke} 

 

Kôzuke: {Sad} … O-Oh, Hayato!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Damn… this sucks man!

 

Hayato: Yeah… I know it does… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Seriously though! We barely made it out of the last couple trials… and now we’ve got twice as many murders to solve!

 

I mean… it’s not like you’ve contributed that much to the previous trials but you know… 

 

Hayato: That’s true… but we’ve got to give it our all… right? Is there anything you can tell me?

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} Well y’know… I’m aware that I’m not great at investigating man… I’m leaving all the detailed stuff to you guys… but I did think of something.

 

Hayato: What is it?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I’ve talked to a couple of people about it… and I’m certain that something… {Objection stance} Something is very weird!

 

Hayato: … 

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} … 

 

Hayato: Want to… tell me what’s so weird?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} R-Right! Well, I’m pretty sure that nobody was affected by the motive tonight!

 

Hayato: Is… is that so!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Yeah… I know I didn’t… I just went to sleep in the infirmary like normal and… and slept like a baby until I was woken up by all the screaming. 

 

Kôzuke: I thought it was weird y’know… so I asked around… and everybody basically told me the same thing man!

 

That’s strange… I thought I wasn’t affected because I was drugged and I fell asleep before all of that… but could it be that Monokuma’s machine simply wasn’t activated at all last night?

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} It doesn’t sit well with me man… like why would that happen? Could it be that one of them died before the night time announcement?

 

Hayato: No that’s not it… the Monokuma File clearly states that they both died long after that. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Oh… guess I have no clue then… sorry.

 

Mhm, this is an important point. It’s definitely odd that the emotion motive wasn’t on last night… why would Monokuma derogate from the usual formula?

 

And if nobody was affected… does that really mean that two murders were committed by someone in full control of themselves?

 

I… I don’t want to believe that.

 

{EMOTIONS MOTIVE added to truth bullets} 

 

{Examine red wheel tracks}

 

Now… what’s this?

 

{Close-up on the west edge of the waterbath, two wheel tracks are seen heading towards the west wing for a meter or so before stopping abruptly} 

 

This is weird. It seems somebody brought a moving vehicle around here… but why? 

 

The red colour of the tracks definitely come from the waterbath… I guess that means something was rolled from the water to the west wing… but what? And also… why do the tracks stop so suddenly? 

 

How is that even possible…? 

 

So many damn questions… 

 

… 

 

I should probably keep note of this… as well as other unusual bits and bobs for the moment, hopefully I’ll make sense of it all some time soon. 

 

{CRIME SCENE NOTES added to truth bullets} 

 

… 

 

That about does it for this place… usually, I’d be relieved to be done with the crime scene… but this time there’s another one waiting for me across the corridor. 

 

Usually huh…? I really am getting used to this. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato, are you going to the isolation room?

 

Hayato: Yes, I think I’ve had the chance to look over everything in here… at least I hope that I did. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} You do well… We have a lot of grounds to cover in a very limited amount of time. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} As thorough as we need to be, you can’t just stay here endlessly… somebody needs to investigate the other crime scene!

 

Hayato: What will you do?

 

Fusume: {Confident} For the moment, I’m going to stay here… I want to see if there are any other inconsistencies between the file and Yoko’s body… 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} The inconsistencies that we’ve found are really bugging me… 

 

Hayato: Okay, I guess I’ll get moving… and if I’ve missed anything here, I’m sure you’ll find it!

 

Fusume: {Content} I shall do my best, and I expect you to do the same in your investigation! Do keep me posted of your discoveries… 

 

Hayato: You can count on me!

 

… 

 

She’s relying on me… everyone is. I can’t waste any more time in here. 

 

Let’s get going… to crime scene number two. 

 

{Move to Red Building - West Wing}

 

{Move to Isolation Room} 

 

{The room’s lightening is slightly brighter than usual, this having likely been done to facilitate the investigation. Tadao’s body is still strapped to the restraint chair, Raiko is here} 

 

*Gulp* Being here gives me serious chills… 

 

{Close-up on Tadao’s body} 

 

Poor guy… what a horrible way to die… restrained like a dog. 

 

Just how in hell did he get here? And most importantly,

 

{Back to normal}

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} … 

 

How did she get out of there? We ruled it as impossible… but somehow she did it. 

 

I am sure of one thing… 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} …

 

Understanding how these two were switched… is going to be the key in solving this mystery. 

 

{Examine Tadao’s body}

 

Oh boy… as much as I hate to do it… I need to take a closer look at him, especially now that I know that the Monokuma Files might be incomplète. 

 

I guess it’s time to get close and personal with my second cadaver of the day!

 

 

I really never thought I’d say something like that… ever. 

 

{Close-up on Tadao’s body} 

 

Time to get this over with. 

 

{Examine Tadao’s injury} 

 

God… this is… ahem, gruesome to say the least. 

 

{Close-up on the wound} 

 

I can… I can almost see the chair through the hole in his chest. Whatever he was impaled with must have been quite a long weapon since it essentially when in and out of his body. Still, the wound is quite thin, so I think we’re looking for some kind of long sword. 

 

{Back to normal}

… 

 

As disgusting as this is… something’s weird here… Tadao’s got a literal hole through his body… but there’s almost no blood at all on the restraint chair!

 

There’s no way he didn’t bleed… so why is this place so clean?

 

{Examine White blanket} 

 

This is what Kenji put on Raiko last night to keep her from bothering me… whoever switched Raiko and Tadao around was meticulous enough to put it back on afterwards… that would explain why I didn’t notice the body straight away… 

 

There’s a tiny bloodstain on the center of the sheet… but once again, this is nowhere need a realistic volume considering Tadao’s injury. 

 

… 

 

The lack of blood… it’s got to mean something right?

 

{CRIME SCENE NOTES has been updated}

 

{Examine Tadao’s neck} 

 

Th-This… 

 

The Monokuma File mentioned some “Minor Rope burns” on Tadao’s neck… 

 

{Close-up on Tadao’s neck, thick burns can be seen all around his throat area}

 

These aren’t minor at all… it looks like somebody tattooed a rope onto his neck… 

 

For the burns to be this deep… it must mean that a rope must have been tight against his throat at some point last night… 

 

Was he strangled?

 

… 

 

And if so… why is there no record of this in the file?

 

The plot thickens… but this proves that there really is a problem with the file this time around… something’s not right here.

 

{MONOKUMA FILE INCONSISTENCY has been updated}

 

{Examine restraint chair} 

 

This device… it’s truly monstrous. 

 

Tadao’s arms, legs and chest are all secured by those big metal clamps… 

 

… 

 

I still don’t quite comprehend how he got in this position… someone must have brought him here to immobilize him… and then they killed him. 

 

If that’s what happened, then this crime has got to be heavily premeditated… you’d have to free Raiko before that… and we know that it was basically impossible. 

 

The only way to get her out was… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Trust me when I say this… there’s absolutely no way out of this chair once you’re in it!

 

Hayato: N-No way out? Surely you could just press the button again right?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Oh no… that would be too simple… once the button has been pressed, it’s pretty much useless. 

 

Hayato: Then… how the hell do you get out of it?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Well, in theory you don’t… but in case of absolute emergency, you can deactivate the chair by disconnecting it from the electricity source. 

 

Hayato: And you do that how?

 

Monokuma: {Curious} You’ve got to go all the way to the Cinema and mess with the fusebox, I guess. 

 

Hayato: So the fusebox’s in the Cinema room…?

 

Monokuma: Yup, next to the entrance! 

 

Hayato: So… the only way out of this chair is to cut off the electricity in the whole building?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Basically… but I’d strongly advise against doing that… trust me! I wouldn’t take too kindly someone messing with my electricity.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Not only was Monokuma very much against us using the fuse box option… we definitely would have noticed if the electricity was cut off… 

 

Still… as much as I’d rather have Raiko be the killer instead of someone else, if cutting the electricity was the only way to unlock the chair then it’s basically impossible for Raiko to have gotten out of it by herself. 

 

If Tadao was killed in here then remembering all these details about the chair will definitely come in handy… it will be crucial in solving the case, that’s for sure. 

 

{RESTRAINT CHAIR added to truth bullets} 

 

{Examine Tadao’s clothes}

 

Now that I look at it more closely… his clothes… it appears like they’re dripping. 

 

{Close-up on the victim’s dark purple pants there is a small puddle under it} 

 

That’s weird… I hadn’t really paid much attention to it earlier… but the bottom half of Tadao’s clothes are actually quite damp… I wonder why that is… 

 

I don’t really see why he’d be this wet… the pool is on the other side of the waterbath so it wasn’t accessible… then how… and why?

 

Also… something else is weird here… 

 

{Close-up on Tadao’s shoes, they look quite dry} 

 

His clothes are wet… but his shoes are completely dry… as if not a single drop of water had reached them. This is getting weirder and weirder… 

 

I never liked his shoes… they are quite ugly to be fair… also with the number of times he threatened to kick my ass… I guess there’s more than enough reason for me not to dig them too much. 

 

I hadn’t noticed before but there are small inscriptions on the backside of the shoe… ซ้าย on the right and ขวา on the left… must be some sort of branding I guess. 

 

{Back to normal}

… 

 

I don’t think there’s anything else to note about his clothes… their condition is kinda weird though… I can’t fathom why he’s so wet in certain places… while his shoes remain completely dry… 

 

Hm, this conundrum is at least worth a mental note. 

 

{TADAO’S CLOTHES AND SHOES added to truth bullets}

 

… 

 

I believe that’s more than enough for Tadao’s body and his surroundings… I got quite a bit of information from this… but I’m dying to get away from the body for now. 

 

I should check if there’s anything else of interest in the room before I move on. 

 

{Examine Coffee Cup}

 

This is the coffee cup I drank from last night. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

{Kôzuke can be seen in the doorway holding a coffee mug} 

 

Kôzuke: Sorry to bother you man but Shinto made some coffee for you… he said it could help you stay awake. 

 

Raiko: Aw, how cute. 

 

Hayato: Shut up. 

 

Kôzuke: D-D’you want it?

 

Hayato: Yes, Kôzuke, I’ll take it… thank you very much!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

It was a nice gesture from the lot of them to try to help me stay awake… but now that I think of it, I started feeling dizzy right after I had my first sip.

 

Could it be that… 

 

{Close-up on the bottom of the mug, a fine layer of white powder can be seen on the edges of the cup}

 

Th-that’s… that’s definitely not sugar! 

 

Could this be what knocked me out? Was I really drugged!?

 

Fusume did warn me that she thought the sleeping pills thief was a guy… that means that if I’m right about my suspicions… one of them drugged me… 

 

But why?

 

Could… could one of them be the blackened?

 

 

I don’t like the way things are shaping at all… 

 

{WHITE POWDER IN COFFEE CUP added to truth bullets}

 

{Talk to Raiko} 

 

I didn’t want to… but I guess I’ll eventually have to ask her a couple of questions huh? Even though she’s likely not the culprit, the fact that Tadao was found in her chair makes her an important witness.


Alrigthy… here goes less than nothing. 

 

… 

 

Hayato: Ahem, Raiko… do you mind answering a couple of questions I have for you?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Hm… sure, why not.

 

She just agreed to help? That’s hellaaaaa suspicious… this IS Raiko I’m talking to right? 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Don’t make that face… I’m genuinely trying to be useful… for once. 

 

Hayato: And can I ask… why that is? It doesn’t really seem like the sort of thing you’d usually do.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Sure… but usually things are different… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Usually, I know who the killer is before the trial even begins… 

 

Wait… what!?

 

Hayato: I mean, I know you’ve claimed that before… but was that really the case?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Fukami was obvious by elimination… and Yoshi… well, you know about Yoshi. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} But things are so much different this time… I was stuck here for days… I had no time nor resources for analysis of what happened in recent times… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} And last night… as I said, all I did was sleep… I have basically nothing to go on to solve the murders…

 

Why does Raiko… seem to subdued? It feels like her not being in control of everything is really getting to her. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} So yeah… I am genuinely trying to help… I can’t just rely on my existing knowledge for once… and I intend to survive this trial. 

 

Hayato: Okay… well I accept the help. 

 

With caution of course…

 

Hayato: Do you want to give me your account of what happened last night?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} I guess I can do that yeah… 

 

{Black and white frame of Raiko looking shocked, the clamps on her body are undone} 

 

Raiko: I was awoken… can’t quite tell you at what time that was… all I know is that all the restraints around me suddenly became loose… and I was set free of that… cursed chair. 

 

Raiko: I wasn’t going to just wait for it to lock down on me again… so I quickly got up.

 

Raiko: You were fast asleep and you didn’t look like you were going to wake up… so I decided to just make a run for it.

 

Raiko: I got out of the isolation room, and that’s when I saw… something suspicious.

 

Hayato: Something… suspicious?

 

Raiko: You heard me, this is basically the only useful thing you’ll get out of me I think. 

 

{Black and white frame of Raiko peeking across the door, a hooded figure can be seen carrying a garden wheelbarrow behind them}

 

Raiko: It was someone… the lights were off so I can’t tell you who it was… they were wearing a hood, that’s all I saw… it happened so fast.

 

Raiko: They were carrying a wheelbarrow, I think it was the one from the greenhouse. 

 

Hayato: A… a wheelbarrow?

 

Raiko: Yeah… that’s all I know, somebody went by the isolation room dragging that wheelbarrow along. That’s all you’re getting from me. 

 

Hayato: Do you remember in what direction they were heading?

 

Raiko: I… I don’t. With the adrenaline and all my memories are a bit blurry… 

 

Hayato: I see… and then what did you do?

 

{Black and white frame of Raiko lying down on the cinema floor}

 

Raiko: As I told the rest of the group earlier, I was exhausted and wanted to sleep lying down for a change… I went to the cinema and fell asleep almost instantly.

 

Raiko: Before you ask, I went there because that’s the only room with carpeting on the floor.

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} That’s it for my night… I hope you can find it useful in your investigation… our lives depend on it. 

 

{RAIKO’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets}

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I’m off to do some investigating of my own… we better try our hardest… 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} This trial will be much harder than the previous ones… I hope that you’re ready for that. {Leaves}

 

 

That was surprising… who the hell was that figure that she saw? And why were they carrying a wheelbarrow around? The questions seem to be piling up on each other… 

 

I wasn’t actually expecting to get anything useful rom her… I guess it does change things, the fact that for once she doesn’t know everything about the case before it even starts… but still, the question remains…

 

Can she really be trusted?

 

 

I’ve taken a good look around, but there’s one more thing I should check out in this room… 

 

I don’t think everybody knows about this… but it’s actually quite convenient that the murder happened in here of all places. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Basically…  this room’s all about security right? So there are a lot of measures being taken in order to fully monitor who enters and leaves the room. 

 

Hayato: Go on… 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Two elements to it. First, this camera isn’t like the usual cameras around the resort.

 

{Zoom on the room’s security camera, it looks slightly larger than the other ones seen so far} 

 

Monokuma: This camera has been programmed to take a picture of the room every 15 minutes. That way you can easily track the state of the room at any time of the day!

 

Hayato: Okay… and what’s the second element?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Boy, am I glad you asked! Take a closer look at the door of this room!

 

{Zoom on the door, there’s a little light flashing at the very top}

 

Monokuma: This right here is a sensor! It will register every time somebody enters or leaves the room! And that little guy will also work 24/7.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

I’m sure Monokuma knew something like this would happen in this room.. that’s why he set up this complex security system. 

 

Still… I shouldn’t waste time on the ethics of the whole thing… and rather, I’ll examine both elements carefully… after all… this could completely open up the case… 

 

… 

 

What if the murderer… was caught on camera? 

 

I… I have to see that footage right now! 

 

{Examine Computer} 

 

{Close-up on the screen}

 

Which folder should I click on first? 

 

{Examine “Camera Data”}

 

This is it… the camera data. Sadly, pictures are all it has to offer… it would have been much easier if it has filmed the incident… 

 

Still, there’s a good chance that we’ll see something on one of those! I have to be extra thorough!

 

 

I opened the file and started scrolling through the pictures starting at 1:30 AM, half an hour before the earliest possible time of death… 

 

Nothing… nothing… and nothing again. The first few pictures only showed me fast asleep and the restraint chair covered by the blanket I put on Raiko. 

 

I guess I should keep on scrolling. 

 

Wait… some pictures seem to be missing! What is that all about!?

 

There’s supposed to be one taken every 15 minutes right? Then why are the pictures from 3:30 and 3: 45 blank? 

 

That can’t be a coincidence… even though the pictures from 3:15 and 4:00 look basically identical… 

 

That 30 minute break was likely when the body was switched… you can’t tell because of the blanket, but I bet that Tadao was already in the chair by 4:00! 

 

The killer got in the room while I was sleeping… they struck in those 30 minutes… I’m sure of it! 

 

{CAMERA DATA added to truth bullets}

 

{Examine “Sensor Data”} 

 

Let’s see… I have a spreadsheet with a bunch of different times… these go back to a long time ago… all these aren’t really of interest to me. 

 

Hm, here are the records for yesterday, two people left at 20:21 and 20:22 respectively… that was probably Kenji and Kôzuke before I fell asleep… and after that we have… 

 

One person, at 3:57… that’s when I’m estimating the body switch to have taken place! Whoever that was has got to be the culprit! This furthers my theory!

 

{SENSOR DATA added to truth bullets}

 

… 

 

I think I’m finally done with this place… which means I’ve covered both crime scenes… I’m not finished though… I’ve still got time, which means I need to go and check out other areas of interest. 

 

My investigation so far gave me a pretty good idea of the timeframe of Tadao’s death at least… however, I’m still missing a murder weapon, for each of the crimes. 

 

The next logical step would be to find said murder weapon… and judging by Tadao’s wounds, I think I know exactly where to look! 

 

{Move to Red Building - West Wing}

 

{Move to Infirmary} 

 

{Hikari, Jessie, Reijiro and Oriana are here}

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato! You’re done with the investigation of the crime scenes right!?

 

Hayato: Yeah… it took a while but I’m here now. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Okay, well when you’ve got a second, come talk to me please… I think I’m onto something!

 

Alright, I should take the time to see what Hikari’s got to say… in fact, I should likely talk to everybody here if I have the chance. 

 

{Talk to Hikari} 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Thanks for coming so quickly. Now, you might have noticed but we didn’t find a weapon for either murders correct?

 

Hayato: Yep… that’s right, in fact that is the reason for me coming to this room in the first place… we are thinking the same thing right?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I believe so… but I’m going to have to disappoint you. 

 

Hayato: Disappoint me? How so?

 

Hikari: {Sad} See for yourself.

 

She walked up to the window and… 

 

{Hikari can be seen holding the room’s golden katana, she then presses on it and the blade bends completely, as if it was made of rubber}

 

Hayato: WHAT!? How did you do that!? Are you like secretly super strong or something?

 

Hikari: No you dummy! It’s not me… it’s the sword.

 

Hikari: It’s a fake. 

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hayato: The sword’s a fake?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Yeah… you can check for yourself!

 

Hayato: Oh uh… I’m fine… I don’t want that golden stuff all over my hands. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} R-Right… well my hands were already full of it so you know… 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Either way, that sword’s definitely not the weapon we’re looking for… you couldn’t cut a steak with it! It’s quite clearly plastic!

 

Hayato: But… if that’s not it… then what could the murder weapon really be?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Simple! The other golden sword!

 

Hayato: Y-You mean… the identical one from the spa?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Exactly… I’ve checked already… and that one’s the real deal for sure. It’s very sharp. 

 

Hayato: O-Okay… but there’s still a problem! We’re looking for Tadao’s murder weapon… and the real sword was on the east wing! There’s no way it could have been used to kill Tadao who was in the west wing!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with finger on lip} Oh… right! 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Well, I guess that’s a mystery for you to solve!

 

Hm… so one of the sword was a dummy while the other was real… that seems like a classic Monokuma tactic… 

 

However, if the west wing sword couldn’t have been used to killed Tadao… then what the heck killed him?

 

{GOLDEN KATANA added to truth bullets} 

 

{Talk to Oriana} 

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} Ah… a-ah… a… 

 

Oh boy. 

 

Hayato: Oriana… what’s happening?

 

Oriana: {Crying} I… I… I… 

 

Hayato: Is it…  the murders, I’m sorry you had to see all that… it isn’t easy for anyone… 

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} I… I… I s-s-s-saw it… 

 

It?

 

Hayato: Try to calm down… what did you see?

 

Oriana: {Pale} I saw… th-the… m-m-mummy.

 

Ummmmmm…. 

 

Hayato: THE WHAT!?

 

Oriana: {Crying} S-S-Sorry… 

 

Hayato: Nononono, Oriana, explain. What the heck’s the mummy?

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} I… I d-don’t know how to e-e-explain… it was in the spa… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I th-thought I heard s-s-something… and I uh… I saw it!

 

Oriana: {Crying} It was a m-mummy! W-With bandages covering… it’s face… an old doctor's coat on th-their shoulders, and... h-h-holding a sword… a b-bloody sword!

 

A mummy… holding a bloody sword? What the hell am I hearing?

 

Hayato: O-Okay… uh… can you tell me at what time that was?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} It must have b-been at around… 3:45!

 

Hayato: 3:45… that fits with Yoko’s potential time of death… are you sure the sword had blood on it?

 

Oriana: {Crying} Y-Yes! Don’t you b-believe me!? I s-swear I saw it! I r-ran away b-because I was scared… But I s-saw it!

 

I… I’m having trouble believe this. Did Oriana really see the murderer putting the sword back… while disguised as this mummy thing…?

 

Also… if that really happened at 3:45… then it means we’re definitely dealing with two murderers… considering what was happening at the exact same time at the west wing.

 

Two of us… murderers? How is that possible?

 

 

No matter all that, I’m not sure how much of that testimony really is reliable and how much she just imagined… but I can’t ignore this… 

 

{ORIANA’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets}

 

{Talk to Jessie} 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Heya… Hayato-kun.

 

Hayato: Jessie… are you holding up okay?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I guess so… as well as I possibly can… still this is inexcusable!

 

Hayato: I know… not one but two murders this time… I really thought we were done with all these deaths… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} R-Right! That’s o-obviously what I was walking about! Confie em mim!

 

Hayato: … You’re not a very good liar Jessie.

 

Jessie: {Sad}  Es tut mir leid… I just… I was thinking talking about the littering in this room… 

 

Littering!? We’ve just had two more murders and you’re thinking about littering!?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} H-Hey! I can see you judging me! But recycling is super important for our Мать-Земля you know!

 

Hayato: Sure… well if that’s all you’ve got for me!

 

Jessie: {Angry} LOOK AT IT! 

 

Hayato: Ggh… s-sorry!

 

I’ve never seen her so pissed off before… I guess she really doesn’t like littering huh?

 

{Close-up on a couple of long piece of bandage on the floor}

 

Jessie: Look how gross it is! The way that bandage is crumpled means it was used by someone… and they didn’t even throw it away! Sungguh menjijikkan!

 

Jessie: There’s a bin in here… I get that you’re injured but still… you’ve got to throw that stuff away after using it.

 

Jessie: Actually… that is a whole lot of bandages… why would somebody need so much… we would have noticed if they were really injured right?

 

This… this could actually be meaningful! Her silly rant wasn’t all that useless! I know these were not around yesterday… it must have been dropped here last night!

 

There is not a drop of blood on those bandages… which means it’s unlikely they were used by one of our victims to mend their wounds… 

 

Huh… used bandages but no blood… I think I might have found evidence to back up a certain little girl’s testimony. 

 

{USED BANDAGES added to truth bullets} 

 

{Talk to Reijiro}

 

Hayato: Reijiro… I’m guessing you’re also done with the crime scene.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You guess correctly… I’ve taken the time necessary to study the waterbath and the isolation room… which means I am now using the remaining time to gather evidence.

 

Hayato: Well, did you find anything else in this room?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… as you might guess, I have spent a significant amount of time in the infirmary… and I could not help but notice something. 

 

Hayato: Yes?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} This ventilation grid above our heads… it seems quite loose, I am fairly certain you could unscrew it quite easily if you wanted to.

 

Hayato: Okay… but why would you want to do such a thing?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Simple… to get to the other side.

 

Hayato: What!?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} I assume you have noticed… but this room and the east wing’s spa are symmetrical… the ventilation grid there is identical to this one… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} It is not hard to come to the conclusion that the two grids are linked in one unique ventilation system!

 

Hayato: B-But… it’s so high up… and frankly quite tiny! You really think somebody could fit through there?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Only a select few were small enough to fit that is true… but that would explain how a body was found in both wings… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Furthermore… there are other possible ways this system was used in the murders… especially once you consider the possibility of two separate blackened students!

 

Hayato: You mean… that two people could have worked together to transport stuff to the other wing!?

Reijiro: {Sly grin} “Stuff”… Yes, I supposed that is what I meant. 

 

Could it be…? If this passageway was used it would explain a lot of things as far as the murders are concerned… 

 

This case gets more and more complex by the second…

 

{VENTILATION SYSTEM added to truth bullets} 

 

 

I’ve spoken to everybody… and I don’t think there’s much else of interest in this room… 

 

I still have a ton of places to visit… I shouldn’t waste more time here.

 

All I can do is now is hope I haven’t missed a vital piece of evidence… 

 

{Move to Red Building - West Wing}

 

{Move to Red Building - Greenhouse}

 

{Kenji is here} 

 

Ngh… I forgot how warm it was in here… I shouldn’t drag this out longer than necessary. 

 

The greenhouse might seem unrelated to the murders… but there’s one person’s account which troubles me… I must follow my hunch… and examine the item in question… 

 

{Examine Wheelbarrow} 

 

Raiko claims she saw somebody carry this around last night… I still don’t understand why… but if her testimony to be trusted then I should take note of this… 

 

{GARDEN WHEELBARROW added to truth bullets} 

 

 

Well, now that I’m here, I might as well take a look around… I can’t leave any stone unturned… pun very much intended. 

 

{Examine Metallic box} 

 

I remember this… on our first day in the building, I opened it hoping for some treasure of some sort… but yeah, turns out it’s just a toolbox.

 

Still… thinking about it now, in my investigation so far, I’ve run into a number of places in which this toolbox might have been useful… I should probably remember it’s location at least. 

 

{TOOLBOX added to truth bullets}

 

{Talk to Kenji}

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} D-Dammit! It’s no good!

 

Hayato: Kenji? Is everything okay?

 

Kenji: {Furious} No… it’s not! I can’t find anything useful and I’m fucking sick of it!

 

Hayato: Oh… I’m sorry… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I’ve spent the entire investigation time in this place… hoping to find something you smart people would have forgotten… but I fucking failed again!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} It’s not like I could go to the east wing… I mean, is it even safe to go there now?

 

Hayato: Oh… uh… I’d assume so? I don’t think Monokuma would want us to have to investigate half assedly. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Is… that so? Fuck me I’m dumb… I could have also covered the east wing… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Honestly, it ain’t my fault… this rule is fucking confusing no lie… I guess the murderer had to be real fucking smart to manage to do all this without breaking that rule.

 

Hayato: Kenji… you didn’t it but what you just said just then was really helpful… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} It was?

 

Hayato: Definitely… thanks to you I just thought of something… something that’s going to be really important during the trial.

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} T-Tight! I’m glad I could be helpful bro!

 

That rule… it’s probably the most important notion to keep in mind for this case… 

 

Rule #13… the rule which dictated the murderer’s action… I can’t forget about it… I know that it’s important, there’s no doubt in my mind!

 

{RULE #13 added to truth bullets}   

 

 

I’ve definitely spent enough time in here… I still have the entire east wing to investigate… damn, I don’t think I’m going to have time for everything… 

 

I have to get my priorities straight… and right now, one place seems more important to me than just randomly going through the east rooms… 

 

We’ve got to understand the victims… to understand the murderers. I’ve said it in my books before and judging by how Rina and Kyia surprised us in their trials… I know it to be true!

 

I know where I have to go, so let’s get going. 

 

{Auto-move to Room Hallway} 

 

The victim’s rooms… they’ve been crucially important in the previous couple of trials… If there’s anything useful in one of these rooms… I can’t allow myself to miss it.

 

I shall be brief but effective… I guess that’s the only way to do this thing. 

 

{Move to Tadao’s room} 

 

{Tadao’s room’s structure is similar to Hayato’s, but the atmosphere is very different, there is no decoration, almost no furniture and the blinds are shut, the room’s only source of light being a purple desk lamp}

 

Well this place just screams of happiness doesn’t it? 

 

Poor Tadao… we never managed to crack him open… and his behaviour the past few days… I still don’t understand what happened to him.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Ngh!

 

Hayato: It’s you again!

 

Tadao: {Nervous} I m-must… I… 

 

He’s just like we saw him this morning… it’s like there’s no trace of the Tadao we know… 

 

Hayato: Tadao… what’s happened to you? Why are you like this?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} I… I… 

 

Hayato: You what?

 

Tadao: {Nervous} I r-r-rem… ggh!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Just leave me alone! {Leaves} 

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Something was up with him… and maybe by searching his room I might understand what that was.

 

Sorry Tadao… but I’m going to have to go through your stuff. 

 

{Examine Desk} 

 

I say stuff, but this room is very empty, this desk has literally nothing on it… nothing except for… 

 

{Close-up on the desk, a small piece of paper can be seen}

 

This piece of paper… that’s the only object on the desk… I assume it’s time to get a little bit intrusive and see what this is.

 

I hope this isn’t just a drawing or whatnot-

 

{Further close-up on the paper}

 

K.M IS THE KEY”

 

K.M… what’s K.M? What does this mean?

 

… 

 

I lifted the scrap to take a closer look and saw a second piece of paper lying under the first one… and it read:

 

{Hayato hold second paper in his hands}

 

“I DID NOT KILL HER”

 

“NEITHER DID THE AUTHENTIC”

 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

What… what the hell is this?

 

I… did not kill her? Is this about Yoko’s murder… is he claiming that he’s not the murderer…?

 

I mean, nobody ever accused him… but I suppose you could see how he’d assume that considering his past… 

 

Wait a second though… how did he know that Yoko was about to die? He had to write this before his death… so how? 

 

And what the hell is “the authentic”? Is that some type of code?

 

God… this is all going a solid yard over my head… and yet, I feel like I’ve just stumbled on something decisive… 

 

I have a hunch… that I should keep this for myself just for now… as a trump card of sort… and we’ll see what bites. 

 

{MYSTERIOUS LETTER added to truth bullets}

 

Alright, what next-

 

{The monitor in Tadao’s room turns on} 

 

Monokuma: Give me a C! Give me an L! Give me an A! Give me an S! Give me uh… another S!

 

Monokuma: Argh, class trial is way too long to spell it out loud! 

 

Monokuma: Anyway, you get the gist, I’ve given you bastards enough time. Meet me in the Aula… it’s time to finally get the latest class trial under way!

 

{Monitor turns off}

 

What!? Time’s up!? But… I’ve only started Tadao’s room… and I still need to check out Yoko’s… and the east wing…

 

Dammit! This case it way too complicated! I need more time… I need more time… I need… 

 

It’s useless… I won’t get more time no matter how many times I repeat that… 

 

Monokuma’s going to execute me if I don’t show up… I have no choice but to get going… and just pray to whoever’s up there that I’ve found sufficient evidence…

 

I was almost confident last time… but this time I’m truly lost… it’s too hard, and it’s too big a weight on my shoulders…

 

How… how will we manage?

 

{Auto-move to Room Hallway}

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Come on Shinto! Come out please!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} It’s… it’s no use… he’s not listening to me.

 

Hayato: Hikari! Don’t tell me…

 

Hikari: {Sad} He won’t come out, I’ve tried time and time again… and now if he doesn’t show up… Monokuma will… he will… oh god!

 

Hayato: Why don’t you let me try?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You…? But you… 

 

Please don’t finish that sentence.

 

Hayato: Trust me… Shinto’s my friend, I’ll talk some sense into him.

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} O-Okay… if you’re so confident then I guess that I’ll trust you. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Please… make it quick.

 

 

Hayato: Alright, here goes nothing.

 

{Examine Shinto’s door}

 

Hayato: Shinto… it’s me. 

 

 

Hayato: I know you don’t want to talk to anyone… but I’m going to ask you to listen if that’s okay with you…

 

 

I’ll take that… as a hesitant yes.

 

Hayato: I want to say that I know what you’re going through… but I don’t. Truly I don’t… 

 

Hayato: You just lost the person most important to you… and I’m going to assume that all you want to do is cry your eyes out and mourn… 

 

Hayato: But now… now isn’t the time for mourning. It’s the time for justice.

 

Hayato: I know you have other things in mind right now. That much is obvious, your head must be full with so many different types of emotions… I can’t even start to imagine the pain. 

 

Hayato: And trust me, losing Yoko was hard for all of us… and for me, she was a really good friend… and I will also mourn her when the time come.

 

Hayato: But I’ll tell you what I have in mind right now… and that’s avenging her! 

 

Hayato: No matter how much I wish it was possible… we won’t bring her back, that won’t happen. But we can bring whoever did this to her to justice… that way she can rest in peace… and you can be at peace as well.


Hayato: One of us killed her… I know that’s horrible to think about, but we can’t give up… we can’t stop fighting before we’ve had justice… we need justice.

 

Hayato: Shinto… I know you can hear me… and you need to trust me… and help me fight! Help all of us!

 

Hayato: We’re going to get through this… as hard as it may be… and whatever happens… for Yoko… for Tadao… and for all of us.

 

Hayato: If you don’t come with us… you’ll die, and we probably all will… Yoko wouldn’t have wanted that.

 

Hayato: She would have wanted you to fight, Shinto! So come out of your room… and come… for everyone’s sake.

 

… 

 

I waited… in silence. That felt great to say… but will it be enough-

 

*Click*

 

The door unlocked and out came… 

 

Shinto: {In tears} I… I’m r-ready…

 

Hayato: Shinto! You came out!

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} I… I d-don’t want to… but you’re right… Y-Y-Y… I mean, she… she wouldn’t have wanted me to end like this… she wants me to hang on… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} And I’ll bring down the person who did this to her… you’re right… I need peace… I need to do this to be at peace…

 

Hayato: Thank you Shinto… you’re being very brave.

 

Shinto: {Looks down} Before you ask… I don’t know anything.

 

Hayato: Oh… well I didn’t think it was very appropriate to ask…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Kôzuke and I slept in the infirmary… watching over Reijiro…

 

Shinto: {Looks down} The lights were off… but I could hear Kôzuke’s breathing at the few occasions in which I woke up… probably at around 3:00 and 3:30… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} He’ll tell you the same… we were both asleep the entire night… and I’m certain neither him nor I left the infirmary!

 

Hayato: Okay! Nobody was going to doubt you seriously! No need to worry!

 

Shinto: {Looks down} I’m j-just making sure… 

 

Well… at least he provides an alibi for himself and Kôzuke… I’d better keep this in mind.

 

{SHINTO’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets} 

 

Shinto: {In tears} If that’s all then l-Let’s get going please… the quicker I get through this… the better.

 

Hayato: Let’s go then… 

 

I won’t let you down Shinto… I’ll solve this case.  

 

{Auto-move to Aula, everyone is present}

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Shinto! You… you came!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato… you did it… congratulations!

 

Hayato: Now’s not the time to congratulate me… let’s celebrate once we solve this thing… alright?

 

Jessie: {Sad} Shinto-kun…

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} Bro… I’m so sorry

 

Shinto: {In tears} I… I d-don’t want to hear it! I d-don’t… I don’t need your sympathy… I just want this over with… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’ll avenge Yoko… whatever it takes!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Boy am I glad you’re all depresso-pumped up or whatever but I’m still waiting, I won’t call again!

 

Hayato: Wait he was here already!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Yeah man… he’s been here for a couple of minutes!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} How dare you imply that you didn’t notice me!? You… you…

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show black side} Grr… doesn’t matter, I can’t wait to see you squirm… at the class trial!

 

Oriana: {Cries} I d-d-don’t want to go through it… again… the first t-time was so… horrible

 

Jessie: {Shocked} That’s right! Oriana-chan wasn’t here for the last trial!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Last time those elevator doors opened… there she was… 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} No need to bring back those memories man… 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Well the doors are already open! As I’ve just said, I’m waiting on you bastards! So get in the damn elevator!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Nobody cares what you say!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} You better care! Because I swear that once those  doors close, anyone who isn’t in the elevator will be executed!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I’ll see y’all downstairs… and for real, don’t… make… me… wait. {Leaves}

 

Fusume: {Confident} We really shouldn’t take that risk should we?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I suppose not, everybody! Let us enter the elevator.

 

Jessie: {Sad} Shinto-kun… are you sure that-

 

Without even looking at her, Shinto brushed past Jessie and was the first to enter the elevator, his step firm… and yet his face hesitant.

 

Jessie: I… I j-just want him to be okay…

 

Oriana: {Crying} J-Jessie! Wait for me!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} We can’t mess this up… I need… to be better this time!

 

Közuke: {Worried} Dammit man… this again… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I… I believe in us! 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Hayato… remember what I said.

 

Hayato: Wh-What?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} This will be your toughest test yet… and I won’t be here to save you this time. 

 

Hayato: Hey! It’s not like you came to my rescue the past two trials!

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Isn’t it?

 

What… what does that mean?

 

{Screen fades to black}

 

The rest of the group followed Shinto and we all made our way to the elevator… 

 

And right after heavy doors closed shut… the elevator started its inevitable descent towards fate. 

 

{Camera shows all 10 students in the elevator, all of them look uneasy and nervous}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCho8m4Zyc&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=13)

 

Yoko… out of everybody here… she was probably the person who surprised me the most. 

 

My first impression of her was of a jealous and clingy girlfriend who would be aggressive to anyone who wasn’t Shinto…

 

But as it turned out, she ended up being a great friend and support to me… despite her temper, she had a big heart… 

 

Now, that heart won’t ever beat again… and that’s on one of us.

 

{Camera shows monochrome comic book style close ups of Reijiro, Kôzuke, Yoko, Shinto, Fukami and Raiko. Fukami and Yoko have been reddened out}

 

And Tadao, that guys really the mystery of the group… even now, his real talent remained unclear.

 

He was conflictual and abrasive… he had a criminal past, all that is true… but that doesn’t excuse his killer’s actions… 

 

Nobody deserved to die such a horrible death… not even him… I honestly didn’t think I’d miss him… but somehow his death has left a hole in the group’s dynamic.

 

This hole… one of us opened it up.

 

{Camera shows a similar fashion of close-ups of Kenji, Oriana, Jessie, Rina, Fusume and Kyia. Rina and Kyia’s portraits have been reddened out} 

 

One murderer… or two murderers…? We’re going to have to find out sooner rather than later.

 

The truth is… the number doesn’t matter… all that matters is their identity… I’ll expose them… for destroying this group… for disrupting the peace… 

 

For doing this to us… and for taking two lives.

 

Whoever did this… I won’t let them get away… I won’t allow it… they will pay for their crime… and that’s a promise. 

 

{Camera shows Hayato, Hikari, Yoshi and Tadao in the same way, Yoshi and Tadao have been reddened out}

 

I don’t usually make many promises… I couldn’t bear to disappoint. But this is different.

 

I can make this promise because in my mind there is no alternative… I will solve this case… and bring the blackened to justice.

 

The question isn’t if we’ll manage… but how we will.

 

And I’ll tell you just how: “mercilessly”

 

I have no mercy for murderers… 

 

I won’t show any signs of weakness… this is what this place has done to me.

 

The old Hayato… is gone. 

 

Time to give the blackened hell... that's all they deserve. 

Notes:

And so the third trial gets under way. Looks like Hayato's fully snapped this time.
I realised after reading the first two trials again that some things did kinda come out of left field so I tried to make sure you have all the elements to solve the case from the get go! It won't be easy but you now have all the cards in your hand which means that all theories are very much appreciated! General feedback is also helpful so don't hesitate to leave that in the comments!

In other exciting news, DR: AD now has a tvtropes page thanks to user tounge1922! Feel free to add to it if you want, you'll find it right here https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/DanganRonpaAvengingDespair
That's it from me! ! Thanks again for reading and see you in the next one :)

Chapter 35: Chapter 3 : At the Mercy of our Emotions : Truth Bullets

Notes:

As usual, here are the truth bullets for the upcoming trial. This should be helpful for those for you who want to play along to the trial mini games!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Monokuma Files #3 & 4

The first victim is Tadao Yamateko, the body was discovered tied to the restraint chair in the isolation room. Estimated time of death is between 2 and 4 AM. The victim was fully impaled in the stomach with a sword-like object. Death was almost immediate. Other notable injuries include minor rope burns on the victim’s neck, no poison was found in the victim’s blood. 

 

The second victim is Yoko Kurisu, one half of the Ultimate Couple, the body was discovered floating in the waterbath corridor. Estimated time of death is between 2 and 4 AM. The victim was stabbed in the throat with a sharp object, the wound is about 2 inches deep. There are signs of suffocation and the victim likely choked on their blood. It took a few minutes before the victim died. There are no other notable injuries, nor traces of poison. 



Crime scene notes

Main unexplained points of interest from both crime scenes. Notably, the two wheel tracks that are present for a few meters on the west side of the waterbath before disappearing completely as well as the significant lack of blood around Tadao’s body. 



Monokuma File Inconsistency

Each body shows signs of injuries that were not mentioned in the Monokuma File. Yoko’s right arm is heavily dislocated while Tadao’s rope burns are much deeper than indicated in the file. It should also be noted that the files do not give a precise cause of death. 

 

Control panel

There were two control panels surrounding the waterbath, one on each wing. Its options included activating the automating ceiling, changing the water level or calling for help. There is a thick layer of dust on both control panels implying that they have not been used in recent days, the rope levers being the exception. 

 

Automated ceiling

Levers on the control panel will trigger the fall of three different ropes. Rope number one has a foldable chair tied on its extremity. That same chair has a thin fishing line attached to its edge. Rope number two is tied in the shape of a noose. Rope number three has no distinctive features a part from the fact it is rather dusty. 

 

Emotions Motive

The motive this time around was a machine that would subject a certain number of us with a very strong emotion, affecting us to a point of losing control over our actions. Oddly enough, nobody claims to have been affected on the night of the crime. 

 

Restraint chair

Raiko had been tied to the restraint chair for the past few days but Tadao’s body was found restrained in her place. It was impossible to get out of the chair without outside help. 

 

Tadao’s clothes and shoes

The bottom half of Tadao’s clothes are damp while his shoes are completely dry. 

 

White powder in mug

There was white powder residue in the mug I drank coffee out of last night. I fainted right after drinking it, the two are certainly connected. 

 

Raiko’s account

After she was released from the restraint chair, Raiko witnessed a hooded figure carrying the greenhouse wheelbarrow behind them in the west wing. 

 

Camera data

The camera in the isolation room automatically took pictures every 15 minutes. The photos from 3:30 and 3:45 seem to be missing. There is nothing of note in the remaining pictures.

 

Sensor data

A sensor that records both entrances and exits from the isolation room. Somebody exited the room at 3:57, however there is no recorded entrance time for that person. 

 

Golden Katana

There were two golden katanas in the red building. A real sword was displayed in the Spa while a factice one could be found in the infirmary. It should be noted that the handles are flakey and leave gold residue on whoever touches them. 

 

Oriana’s account

Oriana heard some noise coming in from the spa at around 3:45 AM. Upon investigating the noise, she bumped into a person dressed like a mummy with bandages covering their face and a lab coat on their shoulders. The mummy was carrying a bloody sword. 

 

Used Bandages

A few meters worth of bandages were found on the floor of the infirmary, they look clean and are not tainted in blood. 

 

Ventilation system

The Spa and the Infirmary are symmetrically laid out and have a connecting ventilation system. However, the vent seems too narrow for most people to crawl through it. 

 

Garden wheelbarrow

Found in the greenhouse, could be used to carry things around. The wheelbarrow itself is very heavy. 

 

Toolbox

Found in the greenhouse, contains all the necessary tools to accomplish basic handywork. 

 

Rule #13

Residents will be split into two groups every night, they will each sleep in one of the wings of the red building. Their respective rooms are off limits during night time. Crossing the water bath which divides the building is STRICTLY prohibited and will result in death.” 

 

Mysterious letter

Found in Tadao’s room, it reads : “ K.M is the key ”  on the first page and : 

“I DID NOT KILL HER, NEITHER DID THE AUTHENTIC” on the second. 



Shinto’s account

Shinto and Kôzuke slept in the infirmary to keep an eye on Reijiro. The room was pitch black but Shinto heard Kôzuke’s breathing at around 3:00 and 3:30 proving that he was there at those times.

 

Notes:

The actual trial should hopefully be up in a week's time which means you have until then to crack the case!

See you then :)

Chapter 36: Chapter 3 : At the Mercy of our Emotions : Class Trial part 1

Notes:

Let the third class trial begin, this update's a big one!

Enjoy :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8)

 

We all entered the trial ground at once and to nobody’s surprise, Monokuma had redecorated it again.

 

{The trial room consists of sixteen podiums set up in a circle, this time the walls display fluo pink hearts as well as purple question marks, the floor is red with dashes of pink and purple}

 

A couple of trials earlier we might have commented on this change of decoration… but everybody just stared at the walls for a few seconds before getting to their podiums… I guess none of us were in the mood for small talk.

 

Either way, it’s common knowledge by now that Monokuma uses these trial rooms to openly mock the deceased… 

 

{Camera spins around to show the black and white portraits of Yoshi, Yoko and Tadao. Instead of the usual X, Yoko’s face is covered with a cartoonish broken heart while a Zorro type mask has been hand drawn on Tadao's with the words RIP carved underneath. Finally, Yoshi’s X is made of a pair of clown shoes} 

 

As awful as this all is… I need to stay focused on the matter at hand… and that’s surviving this class trial!

 

{Everyone is standing in front of their podium but Monokuma who sits on a tall golden lifeguard chair}

 

Monokuma: Now, before anything else, let me give you a little refresher on the rules of this trial.

 

Monokuma: When you’ve reached a decision, you will vote on “whodunnit” thanks to the tablets in front of you.

 

Monokuma: The outcome of the trial depends on your votes: If you get it correct, then the blackened alone is executed for disrupting order.

 

Monokuma: However, if you get it wrong… Then the real culprit will leave the resort unharmed, and all the remaining residents will be executed instead.

 

Monokuma: I’m gonna risk it and assume y’all understand the rules by now… if that’s the case, let us begin the third class trial!

 

… 

 

Shinto: {In tears} … 

 

Hikari: {Sad} … 

 

Oriana: {Crying} … 

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Yo, why is nobody speaking? Didn’t you guys hear me when I said “let us begin the third class trial!” just then?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Of course we heard you dammit! 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} It’s just… I guess this is a hard one to begin.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We’ve never had to deal with… a double murder before, I suppose nobody knows where to start with this all…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m… I’m sure somebody knows something… right guys?

 

… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Argh… 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Welp, I guess I’ll open the festivities for once… 

 

Hayato: {Hold chin} You will…? I thought you told us that you didn’t want to get involved in our discussions? 

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} I did say that… but this is no ordinary trial! And I’ve got some announcements to make.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, then go ahead… but do not waste our time.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Reijiro-kun’s back to usual… that’s good!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Very well, announcement number one: some of the most observant members of the group… basically Reijiro and Fusume noticed something which I thought I would clarify.

 

Ah… whatever it is, I guess I didn’t notice it… woops.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} As you know, the body discovery announcement played when three people found Yoko’s body in the waterbath… however, I have been informed that there was no such announcement for Tadao’s body!

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Hngh… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} So you are addressing that point… I did find it rather odd that there was no announcement for Tadao… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… so, is there an explanation behind this all Monokuma? Or are you just getting sloppy?

 

I… I hadn’t noticed that! Why didn’t the body announcement play!? There’s got to be a good reason-

 

Oriana: {Shy look} C-Could it b-be… that it d-d-didn’t play b-because Tadao’s uh… s-still alive!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Did you see the hole in his stomach… I don’t think that’s close to possible!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaah! I d-didn’t want to s-see the body!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} The explanation is much simpler than that… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} The truth is that the BDA did play, y’all just didn’t hear it!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Wait what!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} How… how could we possibly have missed it!?

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Mmh… I feel generous so I will tell you, most of you missed the announcement because it played very early in the morning… Let’s just say it played between 3 and 4 AM!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} That early!? B-But… that means…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It means that three of us saw the body before 4AM.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} B-But… who could that even be? Wouldn’t they have told us!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Let us make this simple… if you are one of the three students who discovered Tadao’s body during the night.. speak now!

 

 

Shinto: {Looks down} N-Nobody…?

 

I don’t get it… why would three members of the group keep something like this hidden from us…? Especially considering that none of them are the blackened…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Is nobody going to own up…? Speaking up would actually prove your innocence you know?

 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Still… nothing.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Upupu! Guess that you’re not squeezing the information out of the lucky three who stumbled on Tadao’s corpse first!

 

Monokuma: {Neutral expression} But the information is out there… you should keep it in mind. 

 

No need to tell me twice… 

 

{MONOKUMA’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets} 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m seriously disappointed… that so many of you are keeping the truth hidden… but I suppose we have to move on for now. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} However, whoever you are, you should know this for a fact… the truth will come out eventually!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Upupupupu… scaryyyyy! Now onto announcement number two!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Th-There’s… there’s more? 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} You bet there is! 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Now, Fusume did also ask me what would happen if there were two blackened students in this case… 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Two blackened… 

 

Monokuma: {Happy} It’s a valid question, after all, two dead bodies do pave the way for two killers!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Just get to the point… 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Fine, for my entertainment’s sake, I will not reveal whether there is one or two blackened students… 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} You won’t?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} However, I shall tell you this… the class trial won’t be considered complete until all surviving blackened are found. Is that clear?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… so, however many killers there are… we have to discover all of them out… correct?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} That’s exactly it! Well done Reijiro, I see that your brain still functions pretty damn well… despite the forced starvation!

 

Jessie: {Scared} Fuirich diog! Does that mean… that if there are two blackened… they will both be executed!?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Why of course… every blackened will be punished, the rules are the rules!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Ggh… that…  sucks.

 

So… we could lose two more students by the end of the trial… fuck… I can’t believe that’s even a possibility… 

 

Two more deaths and we’re down to eight… half of the number we started with…

 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} That’s all for my announcements… you may now begin your discussions.

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} And you better damn well hurry! I won’t be eternally patient!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} A-Alright… where do we begin?

 

Time to concentrate Hayato… there’s no room for mistakes!

 

… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} A starting point huh?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} We did say that it was going to be hard… so what do we even do man?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} One murder was already hard enough to solve… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Well, considering we need to solve the mystery of the early body discovery announcement… perhaps we should concentrate on Tadao’s death to begin with… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} So that means we don’t talk about Yoko-chan just yet huh?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} We’ve got to chose one of the other… it’s basically impossible to discuss both murders at once!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} That much is true… however I do hope that once we find the truth about one of the murders… it will enlighten us as far as the second one goes!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Hm… so you believe the murders are connected?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Correct… I find it hard to believe that two completely unrelated murders happened on the same night…

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Connected huh? Interesting… 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} S-So… how d-do we approach this… f-first m-m-m-m-murder… 

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaah! I h-hate that word!

 

How do we approach Tadao’s murder? We really don’t know much about the events surrounding his death so far… mostly because we were all sleeping. 

 

One thing’s for sure though… this crime was prepared with much caution… that’s the only way the culprit could have switched Raiko with Tadao so smoothly.

 

Still, I’m not too sure just how to address this case.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Well, if you do not mind… I have an accusation to make.

 

Wait… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0)

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} A WHAT!?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You have an accusation!? So early on?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Did… you solve it? Before me…? That can’t be…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Reijiro… are you confident in what you are about to say?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph, perhaps accusation is too harsh of a word, however, one person strikes out as awfully suspicious to me… considering the circumstances of this first murder.

 

Shinto: {Points finger, stern expression} And who is that!?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Simple… that person is you. 

 

…  

I know he doesn’t like to remember names but the pronoun games is getting kind of irritating-

 

Aaaand, he’s pointing at me. What, what, what, whaaaat?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} R-Reijiro… what are you saying?

 

Hikari: {Sad} You can’t possibly… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You think that Hayato did it!?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} As I have said… this is simply a suggestion, and I will explain myself if you let me. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Please do… I am eager to see what you’re basing this on… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I beg of you, do not take this personally… I am simply stating the facts.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Despite the fact that this has come… absolutely out of nowhere… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} I wouldn’t have expected anything other than a thoughtful argument from you Reijiro… so bring it on! Let me show you how wrong you are in accusing me!

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Mmph, yes… we shall see that. 

 

I didn’t think I’d have to defend myself so early on in the trial… in fact, it’s the first time so far, I’ve been singled out so far… 

 

I guess I realise that I might have been a dick at times with my accusations… this doesn’t feel very nice. 

 

Either way, if Reijiro thinks that I’m a suspect, then he must have a good reason! All I can do now is prove him wrong… that way everybody will realise that I’m not the culprit!

 

===

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckx2nvp8L3g&t)

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Monokuma File #3 & 4, Emotions motive, Camera data, Rule #13, Sensor data}

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Very well, it apears that I need to explain myself… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} I can’t believe… that you’d think Hayato-kun could be the culprit!

 

Reijiro: {Opens book} All that I am saying is that he is the main suspect at the moment!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} He had the best opportunity out of all of us to put the victim in the restraint chair

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} That is true man… but still it doesn’t mean he killed Tadao! 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph…  I doubt there is a reason to go through this elaborate setup… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Other than to complexify your own crime! 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I understand that the circumstances don’t seem to favor him… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} But could Hayato really have done something so horrible!?

 

Fusume: {Confident} As far as I’m concerned… there is no piece of evidence that directly implicates Hayato in the murder!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Still… we can’t just disregard the fact that he’s suspicious… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} With no one to monitor him, he could have murdered Tadao, swapped him for Raiko in the chair…

 

Kenji: {Furious} Then head to the other side and kill Yoko! 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} Nobody can vouch for him… so this is a real possibility.

 

 

I see… so the main reason that Reijiro suspects me is that I have no alibi for the night… and I guess the fact that I was sleeping right next to where the murder happened doesn’t help… 

 

Either way, the only thing I can do is prove them wrong… and I’ll do so right now!

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Rule #13 → Head to the other side and kill Yoko

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34)

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Kenji… what you’re saying is impossible! 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Wh-What!?

 

Hayato: {Determined} I couldn’t have killed Yoko! Rule #13 meant I couldn’t have crossed the water bath even if I wanted to! 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the ground} Hnngh! That’s r-right… 

 

Hayato: There’s therefore no way I killed Yoko in the East Wing! Nobody in the west wing could have! 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Wait a second… Yoko’s body wasn’t actually found in the east wing… but rather inside the waterbath… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} If I’m not mistaken… there was nothing wrong with actually stepping inside the waterbath as long as you didn’t make your way to the other side!

 

Kenji: {Furious} That’s right! You could have killed her from inside the waterbath!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Actually… no, I couldn’t.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You look awfully confident… care to explain yourself?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Well, it’s simple… if the murderer had killed Yoko from inside the waterbath… then we would have found something at the crime scene, and that something is: 

 

{Blood/Footprints/Water}

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: Footprints

 

===

 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} If I had stepped in the waterbath to murder Yoko… we would have found red footprints in the west wing… of course, there was no such thing… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Which means that whoever killed Yoko didn’t actually step foot in the waterbath! And from that we can conclude that nobody in the west wing could have killed her!

 

And that should settle it!

 

… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I believe that the argument stands… Reijiro, you haven’t said anything in a while-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You… you imbecile!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Who, me!?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Yes, of course you… it was obvious to everybody here that… {Points at Hayato} he couldn’t have killed both victims.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Rule #13 makes that very clear does it not?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} T-Totes man, it was obvious to me!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You might have proved that it was impossible for you to kill one of the victims… but that does not negate my initial argument! 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Th-That’s true… I guess… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} This whole rebuttal was pointless… to kill the first victim, there is no need to cross the water bath… which means your defense does not stand!

 

Argh! He’s right… all I did was defend myself from a pointless accusation… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I propose we discuss this subject in more depth… I will not back off until you prove me wrong… completely.

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} I understand… I’d probably do the same if the situation was reversed… well, hit me with what you’ve got! I know I’m not the killer… and I’ll prove it to you!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph, I shall be the judge of that… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hey, Kenji-kun… maybe hold your horses this time around… 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I… d-dammit!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Let's go... 

 

I need to defend myself from these accusations… if I can prove that Reijiro’s suspicions aren’t funded then we can move on from this… and finally start pursuing the true culprit!  

 

===

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXSH3q8F96E)

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Camera Data, Monokuma’s account, Crime scene notes, Sensor Data, White powder in coffee cup}

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I believe it is now obvious to everyone that it was impossible for someone on the West Wing to commit both murders… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} However, killing the first victim was very much plausible… especially if you were alone in the isolation room all night!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I mean, he wasn’t technically alone… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Raiko was there with him!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Sure… but Raiko had to be released by someone… she wasn’t actually there the entire night!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} That’s right… as soon as I was set free from the chair I got out of the damned room as fast as I could… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} And that was the perfect opportunity to commit murder… alone and perfectly able… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} So that’s when you think Hayato did it…? After Raiko had left the room?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Of course… that way, there would be no witness… plus, he could easily get the body into the chair after she was gone!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hayato-kun released Raiko-chan from the chair before putting Tadao-kun’s body in it… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I don’t want to believe that!

 

Shinto: {Livid} And yet… it seems like the most likely possibility… 

 

 

Hm… there are no glaring contradictions this time around… where’s Kenji when you need him!?

 

I need to find a weak spot in Reijiro’s argument or the vise will quickly tighten around my neck… 

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : White powder in mug → alone and perfectly able

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8)

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Actually… Reijiro, you’re wrong about that.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … Do continue… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I was alone… sure, but I definitely wasn’t “perfectly able” to do all the things you accuse me of doing!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} And… and why is that!?

 

Hayato: {Determined} Simple! Because that night I had been drugged! 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} Wh-WHAT!?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} After all, Tadao’s killer needed me to be asleep for their plan to work… if I woke up while they were switching the bodies… it would all go to shit wouldn’t it?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} So you’re saying… that somebody drugged you last night?

 

Hayato: Correct… with the sleeping pills you wanted us to use no less!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I… I knew it!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What sleeping pills are you even talking about?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} D-Don’t think about it too much alright?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph, an intriguing proposition… but can you prove that you had actually been drugged?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well, firstly… Raiko can back me up on this but I was knocked out pretty suddenly last night… one second I was fine and the next I was fast asleep!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Mmhm… that much is true. I did find it quite strange… 

 

What you did was panic, but that’s a story for another time. 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} You fell asleep suddenly, big deal! That does not actually mean that you effectively got drugged!

 

Reijiro… really wants me to prove my innocence perfectly… fine, I’ll have to push on!

 

Hayato: {Determined} But it’s not just that! I fell asleep right after taking the first sip of my coffee… and after further examination, I can tell you for a fact that there was a suspicious white powder in my mug!

 

Oriana: {Scared} A wh-white… powder!? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And you’re suggesting that this powder was a crushed version of the sleeping pills right?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Yes… that’s my theory at the moment… I believe that somebody drugged my coffee and struck while I was sleeping!

 

Hayato: {Determined} The insides of my mug can be tested by Monokuma, I’m certain that those were sleeping pills!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Which means that I cannot be-

 

Raiko: {Close-up on face} YOU REALLY THINK YOU CAN TRICK ME!?

 

I didn’t even finish my sentence… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Raiko-chan?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} This explanation seems a bit too convenient to me… I don’t think that’s quite enough to prove Hayato innocent of Tadao’s murder!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Wh-What!? But you were in the room with me… you know I was asleep!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I guess we’ll see about that! 

 

What is she up to now…? Even though she’s been acting surprisingly helpful so far… I can’t say I trust her… 

 

I guess I have to see what her objection is… 

 

===

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4w_7v_BHM)

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

{Truth Blades: Camera Feed, Toolbox, Crime scene notes} 

 

Raiko: 

 

I admit it, if you’ve really been drugged… 

 

Then that is a pretty good alibi!

 

The problem is… I don’t buy it! 

 

You can’t actually prove that you drank that coffee…

 

Can you!?

 

ADVANCE

 

Hayato: I mean… I guess it would be hard to prove that I really did drink that coffee…

 

Hayato: But you had a first hand view on what happened, you know that I fell asleep instantly!

 

Raiko: 

 

That’s not necessarily true… 

 

I had that blanket on top of me, I couldn’t actually see anything!

 

You could have just pretended to be asleep while really you were conniving to release me from the chair!

 

And once I got up… sure you did look asleep

 

but once again, you could have easily faked it!

 

The truth is, 

 

you cannot prove that you were drugged!

 

 

The fact that there were sleeping pills in my mug isn’t enough huh? She wants me to prove to her that I was drugged?

 

I’ll do one better… why don’t I prove that I simply couldn’t have done what they’re accusing me of? 

 

===

 

 

 


SOLUTION : Camera feed → you were conniving to release me

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

Music: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34)

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Mhm… what is it?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} In a sense, you’re right that I can’t prove that I drunk that coffee… but I can prove that I’m not the one who released you from the chair!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} You can do that!?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} But of course! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, if that is truly the case then I believe that will be a hard blow to my theory… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} All you’ve got to do is take a look at the pictures taken by the automatic camera in the isolation room!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I remember hearing about that… it take a picture every 15 minutes?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Yes, that is correct… but that doesn’t make any sense! I checked those pictures, they’re useless!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I wouldn’t say that actually…

 

Fusume: {Shocked} What… does that mean?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The true use of these pictures doesn’t lie on what you see in them… but rather what you can’t see!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Oh… so that’s it huh…?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Nope, nevermind you’ve completely lost me!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} That’s more like it!

 

{Side by side comparison of two pictures, they look almost identical except for the fact that the white sheet covering the restraint chair seems to have been slightly shifted} 

 

Jessie: These pictures… they’re identical right?

 

Kôzuke: Yeah man… I’m not too sure what I’m supposed to be seeing.

 

Hayato: These pictures were taken respectively at 3:15 and 4:00… as you can see I am fast asleep on both pictures. 

 

Raiko: Sure… and so what?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} The problem is that there should be two pictures in between these two, namely the 3:30 and 3:45 ones! 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} And these two are nowhere to be found!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} The photos… weren’t taken? But I thought that the camera was automatic!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Dontcha even think about blaming my camera! It works perfectly fine…

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Then wh-why?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You want to know why these two pictures are missing!? I’ll tell you why!

 

{The timestamps are forged/The camera is faulty/The camera was turned off}

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: The camera was turned off

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} The camera was turned off! That’s why there are pictures missing!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Turned off!? But how?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Man… I didn’t know you could turn them on and off… 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} In normal times, you couldn’t! However, the blackened found a way to make sure the camera wouldn’t take any pictures for a certain timeframe!

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} And I presume you are going to say that you could not have been that person?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Exactly… and I’ve got evidence to back up my claim!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Evidence…? Show it to us, now!

 

No need to ask me twice… the piece of evidence that proves I couldn’t have shut down the camera… it’s this!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Toolbox

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoh-Z_TS_xE)

 

Hayato: {Determined} The killer didn’t just shut off the camera! They cut the electricity in the entire building!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} N-Nonsense!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Could you actually do such a thing!?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yes, easily, all you would need was the toolbox from the greenhouse… from then onwards you simply open up the fusebox inside the cinema and… {Grinning} Bingo. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} I… I could see that working actually! And none of us would have noticed because our lights were off!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Hold your fucks! You’re saying somebody went to all that trouble just to shut down the camera? Couldn’t they have just worked around it!

 

This is it… the first big revelation of the trial… here I go.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Thank you for bringing that up Kenji… yes, it would be rather extreme to go through the hassle just for the camera… but of course, the camera shutting down was just a bonus… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} You’re saying… that it wasn’t their main objective?

 

Hayato: {Determined} Of course not… their main objective was-

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} To deactivate the chair… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Trust me when I say this… there’s absolutely no way out of this chair once you’re in it!

 

Hayato: N-No way out? Surely you could just press the button again right?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Oh no… that would be too simple… once the button has been pressed, it’s pretty much useless. 

 

Hayato: Then… how the hell do you get out of it?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Well, in theory you don’t… but in case of absolute emergency, you can deactivate the chair by disconnecting it from the electricity source. 

 

Hayato: And you do that how?

 

Monokuma: {Curious} You’ve got to go all the way to the Cinema and mess with the fusebox, I guess. 

 

{Ends flashback} 

 

Took the words right outta my mouth.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I see, so you’re saying that the killer shut down the current in the red building in order to open up the chair… that’s how it was done?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Yup, we kind of have to trust Monokuma on this one, cutting the chair’s electricity source would be the only way to release Raiko.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} So that’s how that person did it… intriguing…

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} I think that Hayato’s theory is pretty good… it gives us an explanation for Raiko’s escape while also justifying the camera cuts!

 

… *Self pat on the back*

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Sure! But he hasn’t actually proved that he couldn’t have done it has he!?

 

Wh-what!?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} The theory’s solid… he backed it up with evidence so I can accept it… but he could have gone out between camera cuts and done all that himself couldn’t he!?

 

First, Reijiro and now her? They’ve really got it for me today.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Hayato… can you prove that it wasn’t you?

 

Let me think… can I?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I know that you’re innocent… you just have to show them that your movements aren’t compatible with the theory!

 

My movements…? I think I get it.  

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Thank you Fusume… you just gave me an idea!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} C’mon then! Where’s the proof!?

 

The piece of evidence that will prove once and for all my innocence… it’s this!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Sensor data

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Not only does the camera record people going in and out of the room, there’s also a sensor that gives you a precise list of every time a person entered or left the isolation room!

 

Hayato: {Determined} And the only time that was done last night was 3:57!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} And that proves your innocence… how exactly?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Let’s see… I suppose that Raiko leaving wasn’t recorded because of the power cut… however, here’s what we know, our killer had to turn the power back on to secure Tadao in the chair…

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} The problem being that the chair had to be locked manually from inside the room after the power was turned back on!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’re claiming that the person who left the room at 3:57 is the true killer leaving after restraining Tadao?

 

Hayato: {Determined} Precisely! And that person could not have been me! Think about it! 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Most electrical systems take some time to reboot themselves correct?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} The killer could have turned the power back on, then ran back to the isolation room before their entrance was recorded and then left after tying Tadao up! That’s why the person was only recorded leaving!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Okay… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} That 3:57 record is the killer leaving the room after completing their plan… and it couldn’t have been me! I can be seen sleeping in the 4:00 AM picture!

 

Hayato: If I had left and entered right back in time for the picture then my entrance would have been recorded! Therefore… {Grinning} I cannot have done any of this!

 

 

Silence… did I convince them? 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} … Yeah, I guess that holds.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Congratulations, you have just proved yourself innocent… 

 

I did it…? I did it!

 

(Music:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8)

 

Fusume: {Content} Well done, Hayato.

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} I knew it all along! Hayato-kun couldn’t have been the killer!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Thanks for h-having faith in me… 

 

What else do I say in this situation!?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, now that the obvious suspect’s innocence has been affirmed… we can move on to the serious matters.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Which are?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Cornering the true killer… or should I say killers.

 

Oriana: {Cries} K-kyaaah! There really a-are two killers?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Sadly, that seems to be the only possibility…

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} But why is that!? I thought we didn’t know that for sure yet!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The problem is Rule #13… Tadao was killed in the west wing, while the lack of wet footprints suggest that Yoko was killed from the east wing.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} My reasoning exactly… one person could simply not have committed both crimes… the positionings just do not add up!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Two killers huh?

 

I didn’t want to face it… but they’re right. It’s basically impossible for one person to have done all that without crossing the waterbath… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Two of us… murderers… dammit! One on each wing!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wait a second man! That basically means that one of the guys killed Tadao and one of the girls killed Yoko right?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That… seems to be the case, the separation by gender has ensured that outcome… 

 

A male killer and a female killer… is this what it has all come to?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It seems that the possibility of two unrelated murders has risen… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} And if that’s the case… we need to solve each murder one by one to get the full picture!

 

Two unrelated murders… that’s what we have to solve… 

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} Well… which one do we start with?

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} … 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Um… I say we do ladies first! Y’know chivalry and all that!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} You mean that you’re just too scared to go first Kenji-kun!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fist} N-No! That’s not it at all!

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Whatever… I don’t mind if we start with Yoko’s murder… perhaps we can give Shinto some closure that way.

 

Shinto: {Looks down} It… c-could make it a bit easier…

 

Jessie: {Determined} If it helps Shinto-kun then I’m okay with it!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Fine, we will start with the east wing murder… but we will get on to you guys eventually!

Kenji: {Nervous} H-Hey, that’s totally fine! 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Definitely!

 

Confidence… love to see that!

 

Oriana: {Pumped up} O-Okay… l-let’s do i-it!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} There were five of us on the east wing counting Yoko… and that means… 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} It means that one of the four of us killed her.

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} One… of you four?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} … 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} … 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} … 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} …

 

Could the murderer… really be one of them!? I guess that’s what we have to determine next… 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Ladies… best of luck.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Very well, if there are no objections, let us begin. 

 

===

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t)

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

{Truth Bullets : Shinto’s account, Oriana’s account, Monokuma’s account, Raiko’s account, Monokuma Files #3 & 4}

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} So Yoko’s killer has to be one of the four girls who slept in the east wing

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} With Rule #13 active, I see no alternative… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Well, sorry girls… but it wasn’t me! And it wasn’t Oriana either!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You know that… how?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I was awake for most of the night, the motive stressed me out… but Oriana never left my sight! 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} So don’t you even think about accusing her… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Well, je suis aussi innocente! I was sleeping in the lounge! I didn’t even leave it all night!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} But of course… you cannot prove that! 

 

Jessie: {Scared} Fusume-chan? You… you think I did this?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} All I know is that I didn’t do this… and if Oriana and Hikari can back up each other’s alibis… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look}  That leaves only you… Jessie !

 

Jessie: {Pouting} How dare you!? 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} You know what… you’re talking a lot… but you don’t have an alibi either do you Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} Hngh… 

 

 

This is getting tense by the second… I should cut in before this gets messier than it already is! 

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Oriana’s account → but Oriana never left my sight!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8)

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Hikari… what you just said, that wasn’t really true was it? 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} What!? You think I’m lying? 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I mean… that’s not exactly what I meant… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} My point is that Oriana told me that at some point during the night, she heard a noise in the spa and went to investigate!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Yes… I remember that, but of course, what you don’t know is that we slept in the hallway… meaning I had my eyes on her even when she got up.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Oh… right…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Sorry to ask Hayato… but what was your point exactly?

 

Hayato: M-My point?

 

Well, obviously what I wanted to mention was the fact that the two of them were separated at some point… but that’s not happening anymore. 

 

Perhaps I should take this opportunity and talk about what it is that Oriana saw. 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Well…? We are waiting.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Oriana… why don’t you tell the rest of the group about what you witnessed?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} But… what does that have to do with what I said?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} About that… I’ll get b-back to it later!

 

I won’t. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Ok… in th-the spa… I uh… I… I s-saw… 

 

Oriana: {Cries} The mummyyyyy!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} The… what!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Man… what is she even talking about seriously!?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} What Oriana calls the mummy was someone who was sneaking around at night with bandages around their face and a doctor’s white coat. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Okay… 

 

Hayato: Oh, and the “mummy” was carrying a bloody sword.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Mitäääääää?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Why is this my first time hearing of this? 

 

Oriana: {Cries} I s-s-saw it… I swear!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} If that mummy person really was carrying a sword around then they have to be a suspect in the crime!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I have to agree… especially considering that the sword in the spa was sharp enough to kill… contrary to the infirmary’s. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles} The mummy’s Yoko’s killer? Really?

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} I… I… I saw the k-killer!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But who could the mummy be man?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Based on what we know so far… the field is pretty reduced.

 

Hayato: {Determined} It’s got to be one of you four girls!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} … 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} … 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} … 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} H-Hey… w-w-w-wait a second! How c-can it uh… be me… when I saw it t-to begin with! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes… that would be quite an absurd thought… except of course if you are lying!

 

Oriana: {Cries} I’m t-t-telling the truth! P-Please believe m-me!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} It would make no sense to continue with this line of questioning if we’re to assume that Oriana’s lying… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} If we are to follow this route, we have to assume that she’s telling the truth… for now. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Yes… I believe that is currently the wisest option.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Th-Thank you… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} So assuming that Oriana’s telling the truth… that leaves three other possibilities. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Actually… o-only two! 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Two…? What are you talking about?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-Well… the second I saw the… uh… the m-mummy… I got scared and I f-fled! 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} And I know f-for sure that the s-second I t-turned back around I saw Hikari in the c-corridor!

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} Sh-She couldn’t h-have been in t-two places at once… d-don’t you think?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… if that is the case then it does give her a solid alibi. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Oriana’s telling the truth! I saw her go to the spa, scream and then come back to me… I didn’t move from the east wing corridor that entire time… 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} I’m not the mummy. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Hm… so Oriana saw that Hikari was right behind her while the mummy was still in the spa… that means that neither of them could have done it right?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Yes… that is the most likely conclusion… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Oriana and Hikari have alibis… that leaves two girls… two possible suspects.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Unless of course Oriana is lying…

 

Oriana: {Cries} I’m t-telling the truth! I s-swear!!!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} As we have just agreed, we are to believe the girl’s testimony for now… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ggh… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Jessie or Fusume… it’s one of you two! Spit it out, which of you killed Yoko!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} … 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} It wasn’t me! M'għandek l-ebda prova xejn!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} …

 

 

Thinking about it… I believe I can innocent one of them for now… and I’m afraid that I don’t like where this is going. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Come on you two! Fucking say something useful!

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} There’s no need, I can reduce the number of suspects to one. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} What!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Be very careful with what you say next Hayato… 

 

*Gulp* Better think this one through… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Hayato… we’re waiting, let’s see if you can put your money where your mouth is! 

 

Which of the two do I know for a fact couldn’t have been the mummy?

 

{Fusume/Jessie} 

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: Jessie

 

===

 

 

And what proof do I have to back this up?

 

{Jessie’s allergic to polyester/Somebody can back up Jessie’s alibi/Jessie couldn’t have gone to the Spa}

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: Jessie’s allergic to polyester

 

===

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It can’t have been Jessie, the mummy wore a doctor’s coat according to Oriana… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} And Jessie is allergic to polyester, one of the main compounds in that coat! She would still have traces of her rash on her if she’d worn it!

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} I can’t see any signs of rash… I guess that you’re right. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} If memory serves, Jessie’s rash took at least 24 hours to disappear last time… the fact that she shows no sign of an allergic reaction proves her innocence without the shadow and doubt. 

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} Alright! I told you that it wasn’t me! 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} B-But… if it is not her… then that leaves only… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} Nghhh… don’t you dare… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You’re the only one left without an alibi, Fusume… I think you’d better start speaking. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I don’t know anything… I was asleep for most of the night… I’m not the mummy. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} I don’t want to believe that Fusume could be the killer… but if we are to believe Oriana’s account then she is the last remaining suspect.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Which means that you’re either lying to us… or Oriana’s mistaken in some way… 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} I… I’m n-not! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Y-Yes you are… because I’m not lying… and that’s the only alternative! 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} W-Wait! How are we supposed to know who’s right and who’s wrong!?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Either Oriana imagined this whole mummy thing… or it’s Fusume… there are no other ways around it!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Either way, this girl’s shaky account isn’t nearly enough to convict me! It’s just her word against mine!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} She’s… got a point. Even though Oriana’s testimony is damning… as long as there’s no evidence to support it, we can’t vote Fusume off for this. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Oriana’s testimony… isn’t enough?  

 

Oriana: {Cries} … 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I am sorry… but they are right-

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} F-Fine… y-you want evidence! I… I’ve g-got some! 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} B-Bullshit… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You can’t possibly… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} What sort of evidence are you talking about?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I j-just remembered… when I went to the spa… I had Hikari’s camera on me… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Wait… so you’re saying that… 

 

Oriana: {Cries} I took a picture of the m-mummy!!!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} A… A picture!!!?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Why didn’t you tell us about this beforehand!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I’m s-s-sorry… I forgot… 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} How does one… forget this sort of thing…?

 

Hayato: {Determined} It doesn’t matter why she forgot! We need to see that picture at once! 

 

That picture… if it truly shows the killer… it could be crucial!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} H-Hikari… please ch-check your camera roll… 

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera lens} The problem is that you’ve taken a ton of photos in the past few days… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} A-AHH! I’ve found it!

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} N-No way… don’t tell me that this mummy nonsense checks out… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hikari-chan! come on… show us! Quickly!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I’ll do you one better! Give me that camera, I’ll project the picture on your screens so that everybody can take a good look at it! 

 

He grabbed the camera from Hikari’s hands, pressed a few buttons and suddenly… 

 

{The screen on Hayato’s podium turns on}

 

The picture… it’s… 

 

{The picture shows a figure whose head is covered in bandages holding the golden katana in their right hand. The lower half of their body is blocked by the massage table, the ceiling’s railing can be seen a few inches above their head, the picture is blurry but all those details can be clearly seen. The timestamp reads 3:41}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy0JuVXTcUw)

 

Kôzuke: The mummy… it’s real!

 

Oriana: I t-told you so!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I t-took it while p-panicking… th-that’s why the qu-quality is so low!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Who cares about the quality… we can see quite clearly that you weren’t lying!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} There really was a mummy… and that means… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} It means that Fusume is back on the suspect list… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ngh… no… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} F-Fusume-chan! Defend yourself!

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I don’t know what to say… it’s not me in that picture… all I did was sleep.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You’re gonna have to do better than that! We’ve already established that none of the other three could have been the mummy!

 

Kenji: {Furious} You’re the only one left!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ah… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} This photo is the definite proof you have been asking for! 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} It’s the proof that you’re the mummy… and probably Yoko’s killer!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Fusume… really?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I… s-said that I was innocent! 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We… we have to prove that the person in that picture is not her!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Why are you so desperate to protect her all of a sudden?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Is there something wrong with the photo… or is this truly Y-Yoko’s killer…? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It… wasn’t… me!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato… what do you think about this?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well… I’ve been studying this picture… and there’s one thing that’s very clear to me 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} And that is…?

 

This picture… it tells us something very important about the mummy’s identity… and that means that the mummy:

 

{Is Fusume/Is not Fusume}

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: Is not Fusume

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} The mummy in that picture… it’s not Fusume! 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Wh-What!? How the fuck can you tell?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Is there s-something in the picture… that show that?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yes… that image… it proves it beyond the shadow of a doubt.

 

I’ve got it… I can prove Fusume’s innocence!

 

Hayato: {Determined} All you’ve got to do is take a look at… 

 

{The mummy’s head/The mummy’s height/The mummy’s dominant hand}

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: The mummy’s height

 

===

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8)

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} If you look closely at the mummy in the picture… you’ll see that it’s a couple of inches shorter than the railing on the ceiling.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Okay… and so what?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} That’s it… that’s proof enough, Fusume can’t be the mummy because she’s taller than the railing!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} She… is?

 

Hayato: Definitely! I know that because… she was tall enough to hit her head on it earlier this week!

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume moved over to let me get to the door but as I turned my back to her, I heard… 

 

*Bonk*

 

{Fusume is seen sitting on the floor, holding her head, we can see a metallic railing next to the far wall. 

 

Hayato: Fusume! Are you okay? 

 

Fusume: A-Ah… dammit , it’s the second time I hit my head on this stupid railing already. 

 

Fusume: Why… why was it built this low…? With this thing around, anybody over 1m75 risks hitting their head if they’re not careful… 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Fusume was right… somebody as tall as her would hit their head on the railing… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} But the mummy doesn’t reach that railing… it’s actually quite a bit shorter than it!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} You don’t mean… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} But I do! The mummy’s height proves that whoever it was had to be shorter than Fusume! She can’t be the mummy! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} … 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} … 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Who would have known that me hitting my head would come to save me like this. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} If that’s the case… I guess it really can’t have been Fusume… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… well done. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} B-But… if it’s not Fusume then who is it? We all have alibis!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Well, surely it means that one of these “alibis” is false… however, we now have enough information to limit our search to a chosen few!

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} Wh-What does that uh… m-m-mean?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} We now know that the mummy has to be around 2 inches shorter than Fusume… and that only leaves… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Oriana and Jessie are a lot shorter than that… and if it’s not Fusume then… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} W-Wait! I’m the right height but that doesn’t mean… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} So it was you! I knew that alibi was fucking bullshit!

 

Oriana: {Crying} N-No! I told y-you it was not Hikari! I s-saw her r-right after I saw the m-mummy! It’s not h-her… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Of course you could be lying… the two of you could be working together!

 

Kenji: {Furious} That’s it! This is all a fucking set-up!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Are you seriously implying that two people worked together on a single murder…? we know for a fact how foolish that would be!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} By working together, the accomplice would willingly be executed! That would never happen!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} H-Hey! It’s Oriana… maybe she was manipulated… 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} That’s not what happened… Reijiro’s right, there’s no point in us lying… that picture’s the real deal…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} And Oriana’s testimony stands! I’m not the mummy! 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} R-Right! She’s i-innocent! I swear!

 

Fusume: {Confident} It seems that Hikari’s alibi is too strong for us to suspect her… but then… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} If the four of us have been ruled out then the mummy… it can’t be. 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} You’ve… figured it out Fusume? Tell me who it is! Tell me who killed Yoko!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Oh god… I think I get it… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You can’t mean… 

 

I do… Hikari’s alibi is rock solid… and the others don’t fit the mummy’s height… which means that there’s only one person left. 

 

But… could it be…?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Just say it! Tell me who it is!

 

Hayato: Th-The… the mummy… it’s… it can only be… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCho8m4Zyc)

 

{CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT}

 

Hayato: {Determined} …

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} …

 

Fusume: {Dark look} …

 

Kôzuke : {Hides head in helmet} …

 

Jessie: {Pouting} …

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} …

 

Raiko: {Serious glare } …

 

Yoshi

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} …

 

Yoko

 

Kyia

 

Tadao 

 

Fukami

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Rina

 

 

 

{Select Yoko} 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} The only person left with the correct height… it’s… it’s Yoko. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Oh boy… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11)

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} WHAAAAT!?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Wait, Shinto… I’ll explain- 

 

Before I could finish, he slammed his cane on his podium, the golden lion on its handle almost staring me down. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} What the hell are you talking about!? Yoko’s the victim here!

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Whoever that mummy was killed her dammit! You can’t be saying that she’s… she… I… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Shinto… I’m so sorry… but I think we’ve been mistaken in our assumptions… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} We’ve assumed that the mummy was the killer because it was holding a bloody sword… but it appears that the mummy was actually Yoko, the victim!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wh-What the hell man!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} How does this make any sense at all!?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} J-Just… by elimination… Yoko’s the only one who’s the right height… none of the other girls could be the mummy… 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Well then… what are you implying!? What does this mean!?

 

What… it means? I’m not sure what it means… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I can answer that. 

 

Hayato: R-Raiko?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} It seems we’ve been barking up the wrong tree… it turns out that the mummy isn’t the killer but rather the victim… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Why Yoko would dress up like that, holding the weapon that would later take her life… and how she ended up dying, that much is still unclear, but one thing’s for sure… 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} We’re back to square one.

 

Jessie: {Scared} Wh-What!? What are you talking about?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph, I am afraid that I see what she means, the four of you have been proved innocent of being the mummy… but now that we know that the mummy was not actually the killer… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} It seems to have all been for naught.

 

Shinto: {Looks down} Yoko… she can’t have… it’s not… ngh… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} W-Wait… Oriana and I can still back up each other’s alibis… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Well, that’s not exactly true, Oriana did leave to go to the spa, you don’t know what happened to her then… 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} And you Hikari… she can’t back you up at all! she was asleep for most of the night after all. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Hnngh!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} It appears that the four of you were all alone at some point… which means you are all suspects once again… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Aw… 

 

Oriana: {Cries} N-Not again!!!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But man… how are we supposed to even try to solve this… the four of them were just sleeping for most of the time… we don’t have any real evidence left for Yoko’s murder!

 

Is… is that so?

 

Hikari: {Sad} I’ve told you everything I knew… but the truth is I don’t know who the killer is… we were asleep… it’s not like we could be perfectly aware of what was going on back there! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} You know what… I think that is quite enough! 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} What do you mean?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We’ve spent time on Yoko’s murder… but we have come to a dead end!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Our latest conclusion is that Yoko was the one who Oriana saw in the spa, but that goes completely against everything we thought we knew… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The four of us were sleeping… we don’t know who went where and when… we simply don’t know what happened… and there’s no point blindly pointing fingers because that won’t work!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} So… what do you suggest then?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} As I’ve said earlier, I strongly believe that the two murders are linked… which means that perhaps if we now were to take a look at Tadao’s death, we could start to answer the questions we have about Yoko’s murder!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You want us to just switch like that!? We aren’t done with you girls yet are we?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} No, we’re not… not until we find who Yoko’s killer is… but Fusume’s right. We’ve reached a dead end!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Which is why we should move on to Tadao’s murder… perhaps if we solve the mystery of his death we’ll understand Yoko’s just a bit better!

 

Kenji: {Furious} H-Hey! Objection! I object!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Kenji? What’s wrong?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Wh-Why are we moving to the west wing murder yo? We should… uh… take things one at a time you know! Solve Yoko’s murder first!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Well, do you have anything to add on the current situation?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} W-Well… not really. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Then I believe that they are right… we should perhaps take a look at Tadao’s murder… and then m-maybe… just maybe… I can find out who did this to her.

 

Even in times like this… Shinto stays mature… this guy won’t cease to amaze me. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Grrr… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Either way, Kenji… if you’ve got nothing to hide then you should have no reason to worry huh?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Hey what the fuck are you implying!? 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Y-Yeah man! Kenji isn’t the killer!

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} I’m just stating the facts… you seem awfully against us tackling Tadao’s murder and I wonder why that is!

 

Kenji: {Furious} You can point your gold shitcane as much as you want… You know what, you’re the suspicious one here!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} What are you talking about!?

 

Hikari: G-Guys! Calm down!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Maybe your widow bitchboi act works for Yoko’s murder… but that won’t help you when it comes to Tadao’s! You sure as hell could have killed him!

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} What did you just say to me!?

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} If it’s not Kenji… then it’s got to be you man! I’m sorry!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} What the hell are you saying Kôzuke! We were in the infirmary together! You know I didn’t do this!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} D-Do I really?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Then that settles it! Shinto did it! Case closed!

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} I didn’t think you’d be this braindead… you’re really gonna accuse me off nothing but pure stupidity?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Call me stupid one more time! 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Go on, threaten me! We all know who the true killer is here!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Boys, control yourselves!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Hold on! It could also have been Raiko! We don’t know what she was up to!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Seriously? I was tied to that stupid chair remember?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} R-Right! But then you were released! I bet that’s when you killed Tadao! 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Have you lost your mind?

 

This is getting out of hand… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Leave her alone Kôzuke… I’ve got the killer right here!

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Say that to my face you imbecile! 

 

It’s too late to calm then down… I’ve got to find some type of inconsistency in their arguing… that’s the only way. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} It’s Shinto! He killed Tadao!

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Kenji’s the most suspicious out of all of us!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} I think that Raiko did it!

 

===

 

MASS PANIC DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APmmnq7EpPA)

 

{Truth Bullets : Monokuma Files #3 & 4, Crime scene notes, Monokuma’s account, Shinto’s account}

 

Fusume: {Confident} There’s no point in getting carried away, Hayato and Reijiro have good alibis… but the rest of you are all equally suspicious!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Kenji’s got the guts to say I did this… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You know what man… Shinto and Kenji are good guys!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Equally suspicious my ass! Shinto had the means and motive to do it! 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} After everything that I’ve lost… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} And seriously! There’s no way Raiko didn’t get herself involved in this one! 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} M-Means and motive? Wh-What does that mean?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… however, this murder is unrelated to your loss… does that not mean that you should also be considered a suspect? 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Did you guys forget that she got all the others killed!?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Well, as far as means… Kôzuke can’t prove that Shinto didn’t leave the infirmary!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} W-Well… maybe! But Kenji’s also super suspicious I tell you!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Have you not realised that I’ve been restrained and monitor for the entire week! Do you really think I could have planned this sort of murder?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Considering that he was sleeping the entire time! 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Kôzuke and I can back up each other’s alibis! While Kenji was alone the entire night! 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} All I know is that you were alone at some point! I bet that’s when you killed Tadao! 

 

Kenji: {Furious} And as far as motive goes… Shinto’s got the perfect one!

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} If that’s not suspicious… then I don’t know what is! 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} You really think that Raiko did this? 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What if Tadao killed Yoko? I bet that Shinto realised that…

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Was he really alone… the entire night? 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} He was killed in her chair! There’s no way she’s got nothing to do with this mess!

 

Kenji: {Furious} And he murdered Tadao as a form of revenge! 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} He’s the only boy without an alibi! That’s why he’s gotta be the killer! 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I see… well, if that’s what you think then I guess that’s that… 

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Crime scene notes → He was killed in her chair! 

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Determined} No, Kôzuke! You’re wrong! 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0)

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} Me? Wh-What did I say? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} You say that the fact that Tadao was killed in Raiko’s chair is what makes her suspicious…

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} To be fair… Raiko being Raiko is enough for her to be suspicious… 

 

Can’t deny that. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Either way, the problem with that statement is that Tadao wasn’t actually killed in that chair… in fact, I don’t think he was killed in the isolation room at all!?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Huh? What makes you say that?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Please recall the crime scene as we found it… 

 

{Black and white image of Tadao’s body} 

 

Hayato: The scene was gruesome, yes… but there was something missing from his body… 

 

Fusume: Blood… that’s what you’re talking about isn’t it?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Correct, Tadao has a hole going through his entire body… and yet there was close to no blood on the chair we found him in… don’t you think that’s odd?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} It… it definitely is odd!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I can confirm, there is no way that a wound like that generated this little blood. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} B-but… then what does that mean? 

 

Hayato: {Determined} It means that Tadao wasn’t actually killed in Raiko’s chair and therefore Kôzuke’s argument is invalid! 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} W-wait a second man! Maybe you’re right and the restraint chair wasn’t the true crime scene, but Raiko’s definitely still suspicious! 

 

I’m going to get some heat for this… but I’ve got to say it. 

 

Hayato: Frankly… {Bead of sweat} No, I don’t think that she’s actually suspicious.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} WHAT!? Are you crazy man!?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Hm… is that so?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Don’t tell me you believe her… after everything she’s done to us!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} W-Wait! I can back up my claim!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Do you have evidence Hayato…? Because now’s the time to show it! 

 

Hayato: {Determined} I’m on it! The piece of evidence that proves that Raiko can’t be the killer… it’s: 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Restraint chair

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I simply can’t see Raiko being the guilty party in this case… in fact, I think that whoever really did this was using her as a scapegoat!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} You’re saying… that I was used?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Monokuma made it very clear to me that it was impossible to get out of the chair without outside help… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Which means that somebody must have gone to the fusebox to release Raiko! That’s the only way she could have gotten out!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} But even so man… couldn’t she have just gotten someone to help her out and then murdered Tadao after she was freed?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I doubt that… as we’ve stated previously, it would be stupid to assist somebody in their crime… that would basically guarantee death for one of the two… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} And secondly… I find it hard to believe that anybody would willingly help Raiko… I think we all felt safer knowing she was in that chair… 

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Fair…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} So… you’re saying that whoever freed Raiko wasn’t actually working with her? 

 

Hayato: Yes, that’s what I believe-

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Hold up… this is Raiko that we’re talking about… couldn’t she have just manipulated somebody into helping her?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I did consider that… but even so, there’s something we know the murderer did that Raiko couldn’t have done…

 

Hayato: {Determined} And that’s drugging my coffee!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… that is correct, the murderer must have drugged him at some point… and there was no way for her to do so while she was restrained! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But then… if the person who released Raiko-chan wasn’t helping her… then what were they doing?

 

Why did our mystery person release Raiko… the answer is clear in my mind… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} It’s simple… they were:

 

{Framing Raiko/Trying to kill Raiko/Freeing Raiko for her own safety}

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: Framing Raiko

 

===

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} It all makes sense once you consider this… the killer was trying to frame Raiko!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} F-Frame her!?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It would explain why they released her from the chair… and also why they tried to make us think that Tadao was killed there… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} This murder’s entire setup was designed to make Raiko look guilty! The true killer’s goal was to frame her for their murder! That’s the truth!

 

… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I see… s-sorry man… I really thought she could have done it. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I j-just can’t accept that the killer is one of us guys… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} With Raiko off the table… we’re back to the three of you. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} The person who murdered Tadao… it’s got to be one of you three!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Grrr… 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} … 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} Ngh… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} It’s one of them sure… but how do we tell who the killer is? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I believe a good starting point would be to figure out who could have drugged the coffee cup… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I’m afraid that won’t help actually… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} And why is that?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I’m guessing you’re gonna say that the three of us had the opportunity… right?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Yeah… that was my point. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Shinto made the coffee, Kôzuke brought it to me and finally Kenji… you came in the room to check on me before I started drinking it.

 

Hayato: {Determined} I believe all three of you could have drugged me! 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} D-Dammit… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} H-Hey, I didn’t do anything like that man!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I guess the drugging aspect won’t help us corner the killer… 

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera lense} Then how are we supposed to to tell the innocent from the guilty!?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I have a proposition to make. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Go ahead… we’re all listening. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} As has been stated earlier, the complexity of the crime comes from the fact that most of us were sleeping… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Truly, there is no point in… “pointing fingers” I believe it is you said earlier. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} So let me ask you an alternate questions which might help us determine the blackened’s identity… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You want to ask… a different question?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Wh-What’s that question?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Evidently… “where was the victim really killed?” 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I believe that answering that question will lead us to the culprit!

 

So he’s just changing the subject completely huh? I guess it’s not that bad of an idea, I was kind of running out of ideas on how to approach Tadao’s murder. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} S-So… we’re not looking into who the uh… m-murderer is anymore?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Don’t worry Oriana-chan! Reijiro-kun thinks that by finding out where Tadao was killed we’d figure out who killed him!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Mhm… so you want to know where Tadao really was killed before the murderer moved him to my chair?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Yes, that is exactly it… 

 

Do I know where the true crime scene was…? I hadn’t really thought of it that much… but the truth is that there’s definitely too little blood in the isolation room it to be the place of Tadao’s death. 

 

Still… I’m not quite sure where he was killed just yet-

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} The answer’s obvious isn’t it?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} It is?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} But of course… if you’re using your brain that is… 

 

If it’s so obvious… then why do I have no idea what she’s talking about!?

 

Reijrio: {Cleans glasses} Is it really that evident to you?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Well yes… we now that Tadao’s injury would have resulted in a large quantity of blood… that alone should be enough to tell you where he was killed!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} A large quantity of blood?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} B-But… there was no such place in the red building! Acredite em mim! I’ve looked everywhere and there was no bloodstain at all in the entire building

 

Raiko: {Giggles} … You have your answer. 

 

What.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I get it now… how intriguing. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} But if that’s the place he died then that means… 

 

And now both of them have it figured out also!? Seriously?

 

Come on Hayato concentrate… The whole in Tadao’s chest tells us that he bled alot and yet there was not a single area in the entire building that contained a big enough blood puddle. 

 

If that’s the case, and considering he was part of the west wing team… then the only place he could have realistically been killed in… it’s:

 

{The greenhouse/The cinema/The waterbath}

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: The waterbath

 

===

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11)

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Could Tadao have really been killed in the waterbath?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} In the… waterbath?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Yes… that is what I had in mind too. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-but… how can you t-t-tell?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} It is rather elementary… we are looking for large amounts of blood… and the fact that we found none means that the blood was concealed!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And what better way to conceal blood than by using the waterbath’s red water to hide it!

 

Yeah, that’s the conclusion that I came to… Tadao being killed in the waterbath is the only plausible explanation for the lack of blood around his body. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} W-Wait a second… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} What’s wrong Shinto-kun?

 

Shinto: If he really died there… then {Points with cane, accusatory} It means that he died in the same place as Yoko!

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} O-Oh my! Th-That’s true! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes, that is likely the case and confirms in my mind the fact that the murders are indeed connected!  

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Does that mean that there could only be one blackened?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} That much is not clear yet… but this is a very important discovery… if both victims were murdered in the same place then it drastically changes the circumstances of the crime in its entirety!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I have to agree… it can’t be a coincidence that they both died in the same place! 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Mhmm, this is all important sure… but where the fuck do we go from here?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I believe that the most logical step is to figure out which of the victims died first. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Hm, interesting… if they died at the same place and the murders are indeed connected, figuring out the order of the deaths seems crucial to reconstruct what happened. 

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} I guess that it’s pretty logical man… but I have no clue how to figure that one out!

 

Yeah… Fusume’s right, figuring that out is pretty crucial… but I have to admit I’m not quite sure where to look. I’ve spent the entire trial prep believing that the two murders were independent from each other after all… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} One of them had to die before the other… we’ve got to figure out who that was! 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Any propositions on how we’re going to do that?

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Heh, about that… 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Anybody else?

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful expression} Well, our problem so far was that we believed in a major misconception as far as the crime scenes… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Which mean that perhaps there’s some piece of evidence that makes no sense anymore once we take into account that they died in the same place!

 

A piece of evidence that becomes strange if we consider Tadao to have died in the waterbath… Oh! I think I’ve got something!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Hikari… you’ve just helped me figure out something!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} R-Right! Glad to be of assistance!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} So… whatcha got for us Hayato-kun?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} A piece of evidence that makes no sense with the information we’ve currently got… I think I’ve got exactly what you meant!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… is that so? Then please, do show us what you mean!

 

The piece of evidence in question… the one that doesn’t fit with Tadao’s death now that we know where he really died… it’s this: 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Tadao’s clothes and shoes

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} This new discovery does clear up something for me… I just couldn’t understand why Tadao’s clothes were wet… after all he shouldn’t have been in contact with water… right?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} But now we know that he was! 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} … 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} So wait, where’s the problem? I thought you were gonna raise an inconsistency or something!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Isn’t this just logical…? His clothes were wet because he died in the waterbath! End of story!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It would be the end of the story… but you’re missing an important detail Kenji!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} What!? What are you talking about? 

 

Hayato: {Determined} She’s talking about the fact that his shoes were completely dry!

 

Kôzuke: {Graps medals}  WHAT!? But how does that make sense!? 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} W-Wait! If Tadao-kun’s clothes are wet then… how can his shoes not be wet! Aie aie aie, my head hurts… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It does seem quite illogical. For the victim to have died in the waterbath he must have… set foot inside of it, if not then there is no reason for his clothes to have been wet.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Right, it’s weird… but what does it mean? How does that help us? 

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful expression} Hayato? Want to finish your explanation?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} M-Me?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Yes, you. You had reasoning behind this correct?

 

Hayato: Y-Yeah, totally!

 

God knows I hadn’t thought that far… 

 

I need more time… I still don’t know what the hell this means… 

 

Welp, time to stall.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I propose we discuss this further… all together! Before I expose my uh… full explanation.

 

Raiko: {Amused} Right… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} …

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Huh, you heard the guy… let’s get talking people.

 

Hopefully I come up with something fast… I can’t let this window of opportunity pass by me…

 

Let’s do this.

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t)

 

{Truth Bullets : Smudged bloodstain, Monokuma’s account, Monokuma File #2&3, Shinto’s account, Control panel }

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You want us to work this out… so I guess I’ll throw a theory out there, 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Perhaps, Tadao’s shoes aren’t wet because there was no water there when he died!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Is th-that even possible?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} In theory, yes… the water level could be manually changed.

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful expression} But the water level was at least halfway up when we found Yoko’s body… that must mean that somebody changed the level after.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It was likely the killer who did that … 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Maybe Yoko did it ! For some reason… 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Yoko messed with the water level… why the hell would she do that? 

 

Shinto: {Looks down} Truth is… I don’t see a reason for anybody to do so.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Or maybe y’all are in over your heads with this whole water level thing and his shoes just dried faster than his clothes… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} 

 

Kenji: {Furious} It’s a possibility alright!? 

 

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Smudged bloodstain → Maybe Yoko did it

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Kôzuke} YEAH, YOU’RE RIGHT!

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8)

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Hm, I agree with Kôzuke, I think Yoko’s the one who changed the water level. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I… I got something right!? N-No way man!

 

*Sigh* He tries his best… that’s what matters.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} And what makes you say that?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} We found a bloody handprint next to Yoko’s body… her hand is covered in blood so I think it’s pretty certain that the handprint came from her.

 

Hayato: {Determined} Coincidentally, Yoko put her hand right next to the control panel! That means she must have tried to get to the panel right before her death!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} So… the water level was still down right until Yoko-chan died?

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} B-But… why would she do that?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} She likely didn’t mean to… it doesn’t make much logical sense for her to do so… she was probably trying to reach the SOS button… she was dying after all. 

 

Shinto: {Looks down} Ggh. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… reasons aside, this handprint does convince me that the victim is the one who changed the water level. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Right, and that means… that we now know who died first between the two!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} W-We do?

 

Hayato: {Determined} The first victim… it was:

 

{Tadao/Yoko} 

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: Tadao

 

===

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It makes sense if you think about it chronologically… there was no water in the waterbath when Tadao died… and we also know that Yoko’s likely the one who raised the water lever. All in all, that means… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It means that Tadao died first!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Please, hold on… even if the water level was raised after Tadao died… this still doesn’t explain why his shoes were dry!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} An intriguing point… his shoes being dry do tell us that there was no water when he first stepped inside the waterbath… but we still lack a concrete explanation. 

 

A concrete explanation huh? I’ve thought about it and I guess there’s only one possible solution. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Well, Hayato… anything to say?

 

Hayato: {Determined} There’s only one possibility… Tadao’s shoes were dry because:

 

{They are waterproof/His shoes were off by the time the water level rose/He was in a position where his feet were above the ground} 

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: His shoes were off by the time the water level rose

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} His shoes were off! That’s the only possibility!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Wh-Why were his shoes n-not on!?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Your guess is as good as mine… after all he had no reason to be walking barefoot… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… so you believe they were removed post-mortem yes?

 

Hayato: That is… probable. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Could the killer have done it? Maybe whoever killed him also took his shoes off… for some reason?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Humiliation perhaps?

 

What.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I’m not too sure about that… I mean, why would you ever want to take your victims shoes off? How is that not a massive waste of time?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} It does seem pretty pointless yes. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Maybe there was something that could incriminate the killer on Tadao’s shoes… and they took them off as a pecaution. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} That doesn’t make sense though! They took them off to put them back on again!?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I suppose it’s really impossible to tell without a closer examination of the shoe… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The thing is… I’ve already examined the shoe quite carefully! There was nothing of note a part from how dry they were… and the strange writing on them… 

 

Jessie: {Ecstatic} Strange writing? Did somebody say strange writing?! I think I heard the words strange and writing in the same sentence!!!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Well, now we’ve all heard you say it about… too many times. 

 

Jessie: {Determined} If it’s writing from another language then please show it to me! Je suis sûre of finding some crucial clue!

 

Hayato: You know, it’s probably just branding or something… I don’t think it’s that important. 

 

Jessie: {Angry} Hayato-kun! Show it to me!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} O-Okay… 

 

I guess we’ve got nothing to lose in showing it to her… it did look like some foreign  language to me… perhaps she’ll find something of use… 

 

{Close-up on a picture of the shoes, on the back of the shoe one can read : ซ้าย on the right foot and ขวา on the left foot}

 

Jessie: … 

 

She looks deep in thought… 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} … 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Well? Don’t keep us in suspense!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Aw, I thought it through and… it really isn’t important… Hayato-kun was right.

 

Oh… well, for once… I can’t say that I’m happy being right, I really think this could have been something. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Tell us Jessie… for curiosity’s sake, what does it say?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Well… it’s Thai you see, my third favorite asian language-

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} … 

 

Jessie: {Sad} R-Right, it basically just say “left” on this one and “right” on this one… they’re just reminders of which foot goes where I guess… 

 

Hold on, the way she just pointed at them…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Hold on a second, Jessie you mean right on the first one and left on the second right? 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} No… I meant it as I said it… the first one says left and the second says right! C’mon Hayato-kun… do you really think I can’t understand basic thai?

 

Right or left…  

 

… 

 

Heh… this means that-

 

Wait!

 

… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCho8m4Zyc

 

Ha… gotcha!

 

I get it… I finally get it!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Jesus Jessie… I would hug you if you weren’t so far from me right now! 

 

Jessie: {Happy with thumbs up} Aw, well, I can always come closer if you want!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} N-No that’s fine… 

 

Cut me right off in my dramatic speech huh?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato! What is this all about!?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Simple… what Jessie just told us… it just highlighted our killer’s first mistake… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} The killer… made a mistake? How so?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You got all that… just by looking at the shoes? Do we really know the killer’s identity?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Rather than explaining… Why don’t I simply tell you who I’m talking about first!?

 

Raiko: {Amused} Go on then… surprise me!

 

All or nothing… there’s not a chance that I’m stopping now!

 

Hayato: Very well… the person who took off Tadao’s shoes and therefore my main suspect in his murder… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} It could only be you!

 

{CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT}

 

Hayato: {Determined} …

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …

 

Fusume: {Meditating} …

 

Kôzuke : {Hides head in helmet} …

 

Jessie: {Scared} …

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} …

 

Oriana: {Crying} …

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} …

 

Yoshi

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} …

 

Yoko

 

Kyia

 

Tadao 

 

Fukami

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Rina

 

 

Notes:

And the first cliffhanger of the trial arrives quickly... who could Hayato be talking about?

Please leave your predictions, theories and feedback in the comments! They're always appreciated!

Next part's out in two weeks (as long as everything goes to plan) but if you want to get more detailed information/live updates when DR: AD is uploaded, don't hesitate to join the discord server! Link's in the fic's description!

Thanks again for reading and see you in the next one!

Chapter 37: Chapter 3 : At the Mercy of our Emotions : Class Trial part 2

Notes:

Here's the second part of the class trial! It's gonna be intense so brace yourselves

As a side note, I've decided to try to add music to the coming chapters for those who enjoy listening to the dr ost (and there's a cheeky AA track sneaked in there) while reading. I hope it can add to the experience. I've already added the ost cues to the prevous chapter and will try to add it to the remaining previous chapters when I've got more time.

That being said, please enjoy this update!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

{Select Kenji}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 )

 

Hayato: {Determined} Kenji! You’re the only one!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} … 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You’re accusing… Kenji?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} N-No… not him… 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} … 

 

Hayato: It’s got to be-

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} What the fuck did you just say to me?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} S-Sorry what?

 

Kenji: {Furious} HOW FUCKING DARE YOU!?

 

Hayato: A-AHH!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I suppose you have an explanation for this accusation… 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} I… uh… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} C’mon… explain yourself… we’re all listening… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Well you know… it’s okay, I don’t have to say it if you don’t want me to… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Are you seriously going to be intimidated into silence? You have to believe in your ideas dammit!

 

She… she’s right! surprisingly… 

 

Doesn’t matter if Kenji threatens me… I can’t back down now!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Ahem, where was I…? Oh right! I believe that Kenji killed Tadao!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Grr… you… you… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph, let him speak… I am interested to see where this goes. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Hayato… I don’t understand how we got here from the shoes business… how did this make Kenji so suspicious all of a sudden?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It’s rather simple… if you payed attention when Jessie just read the inscriptions on Tadao’s shoes… you might have realised that they’re each on the wrong foot!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} WHAT!? But… why is that man?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} As I’ve previously mentioned, Tadao’s shoes were off while he was in the waterbath… the killer only put them back once they moved the body back to the isolation chamber!

 

Hayato: {Determined} However… when the killer put the shoes back on, they got them reversed, which explains why the labels on the shoes seem off… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} And if we’re looking for someone who could have made that mistake, there’s only one person who comes in mind. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Scratches hair with playful smile} Don’t hesitate to wear them! They’re really good quality… I know my shit when it comes to boots!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} In fact these are kinda special cuz they’re ambipedal… like mine. 

 

Hayato: Ambipedal? That means you can wear them on either foot right?

 

Kenji: {Scratches hair with playful smile} Damn straight! Every good pair of shoes should be ambipedal! It’s such a pain to remember which shoe goes on which foot seriously!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Thanks to my boots I don’t ever have to lose time checking which shoe goes where! Pretty neat right?

 

Hayato: Yeah right. 

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You don’t spend much time checking which foot goes where with your boots Kenji… so why would you have done any different when dealing with our victim?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Gr… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} N-No way… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} So it was you… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} … Mmph, you are right… this is important. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Thanks to this, we now know that our killer… is an idiot. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} That’s not exactly what I hoped you’d take away from this… 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} GRAAHHHH!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} A-Ah!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} How… fucking dare you…?

 

Hayato: {Bead of swear} Uh… I… 

 

N-no, Hayato! Stay focused… I can’t let him intimidate me!

 

Hayato: {Determined} The fact that the shoes have been mixed up makes you a prime suspect Kenji! You won’t scream your way out of this one! 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Gr… ngh!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Go ahead… defend yourself, we’re all waiting!

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} ჰარი! We’re going to catch the murderer thanks to my language skills!

 

Jessie: {Sad} But also… aw, Kenji-kun… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I didn’t do shit… I’m not the killer… and that’s that! 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} I’m afraid you’re going to have to do a little bit better than that Kenji… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} … 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} K-Kenji… y-you’re being all… s-scary… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I don’t know what you want me to fucking say… I don’t know shit. I was sleeping, that’s all. 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} If I remember correctly, Shinto and Kôzuke slept in the same room while watching over Reijiro… and Hayato has a pretty solid alibi thanks to the security cameras… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Which means that Kenji’s the only one who could freely move around that night! 

 

Kenji: {Furious} … D-Dammit! Your shit is all circumstantial! It doesn’t prove shit! Anybody could have made that mistake! I’m not the only one who has trouble remembering which shoe goes where alright!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} … 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} … 

 

Raiko: {Giggles} …

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Why are y’all being so quiet now!? Grr… you’re waiting for me to trick myself into confessing huh?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Well, it ain’t gonna happen! Y’know what! I’ll prove that Hayato’s accusations are complete bullshit… here and now!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hm… I believe it will be up to the rest of us to judge if your defense is sufficient or not… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Sufficient… I’ll give you sufficient. 

 

 

Kenji’s about to go all out… I guess I usually wouldn’t be too worried since he’s inclined to speak without thinking and make mistakes… but this feels different. 

 

I’ve rarely seen him this pissed… his life is on the line after all… 

 

Still, that doesn’t excuse the fact that he likely killed Tadao… and now’s my time to prove that he did it! 

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXSH3q8F96E)

 

{Truth Bullets : Toolbox, Monokuma File #3 & 4, Shinto’s account, Garden Wheelbarrow, Automated ceiling}

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} These accusations… they’re complete and utter bullshit! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} So… what is your defense?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Anybody could have messed up that shoe thing! The fact that the shoes were the wrong way around doesn’t actually prove anything… 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Well… he’s got a point there, the evidence is circumstantial at best!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Damn straight! It’s not because the murderer made a mistake that I could have made that I did it for sure!

 

Kenji: {Furious} You’re gonna have to find better evidence than that! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But if Kenji-kun didn’t do it… then why are the shoes like that?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I guess somebody other than him could have made the same mistake … they were in a rush after all… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That or… somebody knew about Kenji’s… problem and imitated it to frame him

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} You see! This doesn’t actually prove anything! I’m not the killer here! 

 

Kenji: {Furious} And no matter all that… even if I’d gone to the waterbath to kill him! 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} There was no way for me to move the body back to the isolation room! 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} C-could it be… did we get the l-location of the crime… w-wrong? 

 

 

Kenji’s defense isn’t that solid… all he’s saying is that we don’t have enough to convict him… but in reality, he didn’t actually disprove my point…

 

I guess the only thing for me to do now is to find something else that indicts him, that way… his defense will crumble to pieces! 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Garden wheelbarrow → no way for me to move the body back to the isolation room! 

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Grinning} No way to transport the body…? I’m not too sure about that. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Grr… what are you talking about? 

 

Hayato: You say that you couldn’t have move Tadao to the isolation room… but that’s wrong! {Determined} There was a very easy way to do that! 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Hm… continue… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Kenji could have used the wheelbarrow that we found in the greenhouse!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I have to agree that simply carrying Tadao on your shoulders would have been impractical… {Determined} But that wheelbarrow was perfect move the body! 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} The wheelbarrow… but how? 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} It’s pretty simple if you think about it… that wheelbarrow isn’t huge… but neither is Tadao!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} The killer could have wheeled the wheelbarrow all the way to the waterbath, layed Tadao on it and then wheeled him back to to the isolation room! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… by doing that, they would have an easy transportation method which also had the benefit of being seemingly inconspicuous!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Uh… i-inconspicuous… what d-do you mean by that? 

 

Fusume: {Confidents} What Reijiro means is that if anybody saw the killer carrying the wheelbarrow, it wouldn’t have been immediately evident that he was carrying a body… Tadao would have been nicely concealed by the wheelbarrow’s edges!

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} A transportation method that also served as a way to hide the body… heh, now you’re talking. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Ngh… you’ve g-got… no proof! 

 

Kenji: {Fiddles with goggles} That wheelbarrow would have been quite useful sure… but you still can’t prove that it was actually used!

 

Kenji: {Furious} All you’ve got are… suggestions! No hard evidence!

 

No proof? Is that really so?

 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Sorry Kenji… but I can prove that the wheelbarrow was used last night! 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Fucking… b-bullshit!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Hayato… can you really prove that? 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} If you could it really would harm Kenji’s arguments. 

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} There’s no way… you can actually… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Only one way to clear this matter… please show us the evidence in question. 

 

A piece of evidence that proves that the wheelbarrow was indeed used by someone last night… I know exactly what it is!

 

Time to show Kenji the truth!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Raiko’s account 

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Here’s the catch Kenji, you can’t deny our claims because… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 )

 

Hayato: {Determined} Raiko caught you in the act! 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} B-Bull… fucking… shit… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Raiko-chan caught him? What… what are you talking about?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I guess I should answer that… 

 

{Black and white frame of Raiko peeking across the door, a hooded figure can be seen carrying a garden wheelbarrow behind them}

 

Raiko: After I made my escape last night… I saw somebody wearing a hood carrying the wheelbarrow behind them!

 

Kôzuke: Y-You… you saw what!?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I am sure of what I witnessed… somebody was carrying that wheelbarrow around… and by process of elimination considering the others’ alibis… 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} That person could only have been you… Kenji. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} … Ngh… th-that’s not… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Witness testimony huh…? It’s going to be hard to refute Hayato’s theory now… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… indeed, if the murderer was caught moving the body by somebody… that would make it quite a complex scenario to get out of… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} … 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} As I’ve said… I know what I saw! And with all the information we’ve gathered thus far, it’s crystal clear that the person I saw could only have been Kenji!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Grrraaah!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} N-No way… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} With Raiko’s testimony confirming my theory… this should be the final nail in the coffin for you Kenji! You used that wheelbarrow to move Tadao’s body… which means that-

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} I’m sorry, but there’s a problem with this. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Wh-What…?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} A problem you say? Go on… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} What are you saying? What’s wrong with my testimony!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} The problem… {Passionate stance} It’s you… Raiko!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} What… d-does that mean?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Raiko has been lying to us since we’ve gotten here… her sole purpose in the killing game has been to manipulate us and get our friends killed…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Furthermore… it seems unlikely that Tadao’s death had nothing to do with her… he was found in her chair after all… even if she didn’t kill him, it’s likely she used her trickery to get one of us to do so… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} There’s absolutely no way that I’ll trust what she has to say when it comes to this murder! 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} … 

 

Raiko: {Hides behind umbrella} You… you won’t believe me?

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} She’s… she’s right man! There’s no way that Kenji would lie… that means that Raiko’s got to be lying!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Raiko-chan… isn’t telling the truth? 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I… I’d r-rather t-trust Kenji… he uh… he’s b-been much k-kinder to me… 

 

Raiko: You… why… why won’t you believe me… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I presume this is a case of the boy who cried wolf… your testimony cannot be trusted after everything you have done. 

 

Raiko: I’m being honest… and… and… {Umbrella closes on face} HNNGHAAH!!!

 

Raiko… she looks so upset… then again, I really can’t tell if that’s her genuine reaction or just another scheme of hers… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Please hold on… I know that Raiko hasn’t shown herself to be very trustworthy… but we’ve proved her innocence haven’t we? Why would she be lying? 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Her life’s on the line… like ours! 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Why did she ever lie? The same could be said about the last two trials! 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} The truth is that she’d show no hesitation to mess with us for her… entertainment! That’s what she did the last couple of times… and nothing’s telling us that she’s not doing it again this time! 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Th-that’s… that’s right! We can’t trust a word coming from that bitch! 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} The fact that she’s accusing me… should be some sort of proof of my innocence! She’s always trying to trick us… She’d never point to the true killer!

 

This is bad… I’m sure that Kenji’s done this… or at least that he’s hiding something from us… I can’t let him use Raiko’s reputation to get out of this one… 

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} … 

 

Everybody seems to have been convinced by Hikari’s speech… I guess that means that I can’t rely on her testimony alone to convict Kenji… 

 

I’ve got to find something else… and fast. I can’t let this chance go! I’m so close to the truth… I can feel it! 

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t )

 

{Truth Bullets : Monokuma File #3 & 4, Crime scene notes, Shinto’s account, Toolbox, Monokuma’s account}

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Your entire argument is based on the fact that Raiko supposedly saw me carrying the wheelbarrow… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} But that’s complete and utter bull! We all know that she’s lying! 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Ngh… don’t you get it? It would be stupid of me to make things up… if we fail this trial, I die too!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Of course… but that didn’t stop you from getting the other four killed… your life was on the line back then too! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Raiko-chan did say that her main goal was to have fun peut-etre this her way of entertaining herself this time around… 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I thought that her ultimate objective was to make it out alive… doesn’t this kind of go against that?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Exactly! It may come as a shock to you… but I’m not planning on getting myself killed! 

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} Which is why I’m telling the truth… and I implore you to believe me… not for me but for you!

 

Oriana: {Crying} R-Raiko… I… I d-don’t want to d-doubt… a-anyone… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Be that as it may… the fact remains that somebody is lying… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And we need to figure out who it was! That wheelbarrow conundrum is in the way of the truth! 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Crime scene notes → But that’s complete and utter bull!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU )

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Sorry Kenji… but it appears that Raiko wasn’t lying after all! 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Wh-What… what the hell are you talking about?

 

Hayato: {Determined} I have definite proof that the wheelbarrow was used to move the body! 

 

Kôzuke: {Graps medals} No… NO WAY!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… do you really have such evidence? 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} But of course… it’s right here in the crime scene photo!

 

{Picture of the Yoko’s body can be seen} 

 

Kôzuke: W-Wait man… I think you’ve pulled out the wrong picture… we’re talking about Tadao’s murder not Yoko’s!

 

Hayato: H-Hey… I know that… 

 

How stupid do they think I am!?

 

Hayato: The answer lies in this picture… after all, this is where Tadao was really killed! 

 

Fusume: That’s right! The waterbath is the true crime scene… is there a valuable clue here?

 

Hayato: You bet your ass there is! Please take a look at the west side of the waterbath!

 

{Close-up on the west edge of the waterbath, two distinctive red wheel tracks can be seen}

 

Jessie: N-No way… are those…?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} As you can see… these two red lines look exactly like the track wheels would have left behind after being wet with the waterbath’s red water… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} These wheel tracks were made by the wheelbarrow!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Grrrah!!!

 

Fusume: {Content} Well done Hayato… that does seem to prove it… I can’t think of anything else with wheels that could have been in proximity with the waterbath… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Hmm… no, I did a full inventory of the building once first discovering it… I can’t think of anything else with wheels… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You did what!?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} I w-was bored, alright!!!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… the point remains… these wheel tracks were more that likely made by that wheelbarrow… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} And that means that Raiko wasn’t lying!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Ugh… finally, you realise it. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} S-Sorry… sorry for doubting you… 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} F-Fucking… bull… shit… 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Still… there’s something that bothers me… 

 

Wait… what?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Something’s bothering you… with your own account?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} No… rather with that picture… there’s something wrong there… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} I KNEW IT! THAT SHIT WAS FORGED-

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Quiet, you!

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} Hnngh… 

 

{Close-up on the wheel tracks} 

 

Raiko: You see… I’d be perfectly fine your explanation of your wheel tracks normally… but something’s clearly off!

 

Hayato: Something’s off…? But you’re the one who claimed that you saw the wheelbarrow last night!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I did say that… well, if you don’t get it by yourself I’m going to have to make it clear for ya… 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Your theory of what happened… it’s that the killer murdered Tadao in the waterbath corridor, then carried his body away with the wheelbarrow back to the isolation room… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} However, they got the back wheels wet thus leaving two red marks behind them… did I get it right?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yes… I believe that’s it-

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Then tell me, why the hell do those marks stop after only a few meters!? Why don’t they go all the way to the isolation chamber!?

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} G-GHHAH!!!

 

… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Hayato… 

 

Raiko’s right… there’s something wrong with my theory… why do those tracks just vanish suddenly… there’s gotta be a reason for that! It’s obviously no coincidence! 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Answer my question Hayato! What happened to the tracks!? We can’t accept your version of events before you explain the inconsistencies!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I hate to say it… but she’s got a point. We can’t risk our lives on a vote that isn’t faultless.

 

Kenji: {Furious} D-Damn straight! You can’t accuse me with such flimsy fucking reasoning!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} With such big problems in what you’re saying… It makes me think that the wheelbarrow wasn’t used at all!

 

Kenji: {Furious} And even if it did… you can’t fucking link it back to me! So quit accusing me already!

 

Dammit… Raiko’s really driving me in a corner here… I need to explain the missing tracks… without it then all the work we’ve done until then will be for naught and Kenji will get away with whatever it is that he’s done… 

 

F-Fuck! I need to think this one through… I can’t afford to make mistakes… 

 

Think… Hayato, think!

 

===

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP7r1TVINsg

 

LOGIC DIVE BEGINS

 

Q1: How was Tadao’s body transported to the isolation room?  

{Using the wheelbarrow/Using another wheeled instrument/He didn’t need to be transported}

 

 

 

Answer: Using the wheelbarrow

 

Q2: However, what’s the problem with the wheelbarrow having been used?

{It has no blood on it/Its wheels don’t work/The wheel tracks seem to have vanished}

 

 

 

 

Answer: The wheel tracks seem to have vanished

… 

 

I… I can’t think of anything… I don’t see how the wheel tracks could be explained… I don’t get it… 

 

Maybe… Maybe I should try to flip my thinking around! Yes… that’s it!

 

I need to go deeper… and I know exactly the question to ask myself! 

 

… 

 

LOGIC DIVE CONTINUES

 

Q3: Could the odd wheel tracks be used to connect Kenji to the murder?

{Yes/No}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Yes

 

Q4: How is Kenji linked to the tracks?

 

{He is the only one who could have cleaned them/He is the only one strong enough to carry the wheelbarrow/He is the only one who knew where the wheelbarrow was stored} 

 

 

 

 

Answer: He is the only one strong enough to carry the wheelbarrow

 

===

 

… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU )

 

Yes… that’s it, the breakthrough I needed… I’ve finally found it!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Well… we’re still waiting!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} He’s got nothing to say! He knows that he’s fucked!

 

Hayato: Actually Kenji… {Holds chin} I believe it is you who is in trouble!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Wh-What are you talking about?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} What if I told you that I found a way to explain the missing tracks… while also proving Kenji’s guilt without the shadow of a doubt?

 

Kenji: {Furious} B-Bull… shit… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} That would be quite impressive… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Let’s not waste time… show us what you’ve got! 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I believe that the reason for the tracks disappearing… {Grinning} it’s really not that odd after all!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} What… what does that mean?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The tracks were made by the wet wheels on the floor… {Grinning} but the truth is that the killer found a way to make sure the wheels wouldn’t come in contact with the floor for the rest of their escape!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The victim’s body was positioned on the wheelbarrow… and yet, you claim that it was moved… without it touching the ground?

 

Hayato: That’s precisely what I’m saying!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} B-But how is that possible…? 

 

Hayato: Simple… {Determined} The killer carried if off the ground with their bear hands!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Wh-Whaaaat!?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} N-No… but that’s not possible… that wheelbarrow is extremely heavy! The sheer weight of it-

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Yes… that’s right… thank you for bringing that up Hikari… the wheelbarrow… was heavy.

 

{Flashback} 

 

All I need to do is roll the wheelbarrow out of the way. 

 

… 

 

Dammit, the wheels are blocked by stoppers. I can’t just roll it. Guess I’ll have to lift the damn thing. 

 

Hayato: HNNNNNNNNNGH! 

 

I crumbled down from the effort. 

 

It didn’t move an inch. 

 

… Why does this situation feel so familiar?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} You need help there buddy?

 

Hayato: Does it look like I need help?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Chill out bro… no need to fucking panic. I’ll pick this up for you… just relax. 

 

Kenji bended forward and grabbed both ends of the wheelbarrow. 

 

Kenji: Just gotta… get the right grip… Hnnngh!

 

And just like that… 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} There you go, one wheelbarrow out of the way for you my friend. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: Picture this:

 

{Black and white frame of Raiko peeking across the door, a hooded figure can be seen carrying a garden wheelbarrow behind them}

 

Hayato: Our killer brought the wheelbarrow from the greenhouse to the waterbath… that’s when Raiko spotted them… 

 

{Grey figure is rolling the wheelbarrow away from the waterbath, Tadao’s body can be seen sticking out} 

 

Hayato: They then placed Tadao’s body on the wheelbarrow and prepared to wheel him out back to the isolation room… 

 

Hayato: However, that’s when they noticed that they were leaving a clear trace of their presence through the wet wheel tracks… and so they instinctively did the impossible in order to stop leaving tracks.

 

{The grey figure lifts the wheelbarrow up in their arms, they can be seen struggling to keep Tadao’s body in}

 

Hayato: They picked the wheelbarrow right up and simply carried it to the isolation room! 

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} And as I’ve already told you… that’s impossible! The wheelbarrow is way too heavy to be carried off the ground, especially with Tadao’s body on top of it!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Yes… it would be impossible for you or me… but not for our killer… 

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} … 

 

Hayato: After all Kenji… you’ve already shown me that you could lift the wheelbarrow without too much of a hassle… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Kyia or Yoshi arguable could have managed this superhuman task… but out of the remaining students… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} You’re the only one who could have done this Kenji! And that means that you’re the one who transported Tadao’s body to the isolation room! 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} … 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} … 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz0IgN_MfmI )

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} Th-That… that ain’t true… I… d-d-didn’t do nothing. 

 

Kenji: You can’t blame me… I… I’m innocent… I didn’t do… sh-sh-shit!

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} This ain’t nothing but… but… 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Bullshit… it’s b-bullshit… you’re making it up… you… you… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Bull… shit… b-b-b- {Rips shirt open while screaming} BULLFUCKINGSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!

 

… 

 

… 

 

… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Kenji… 

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched over podium} Ngh… fine, it… it was me…

 

Kôzuke: {Tearing up} Man… n-no way! Kenji… it can’t be true… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I can’t believe it…  

 

Jessie: {Sad} Kenji-kun… did it?  

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… Monokuma, it appears we have caught the first of our blackened students. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} N-No, wait! Wait a fucking moment! 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Wait… and why would we do that? You’ve confessed… 

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Why make us waste time with your blabbering… we should vote you off right now and move on.

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched over podium} No! I… I didn’t confess!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You haven’t…? But you have said that-

 

Kenji: {Furious} I admitted to moving the body… but I never said that I killed him!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Wh-What…? Are you seriously saying that you aren’t the killer?

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} O-Of course… I didn’t kill nobody! I swear… all I did was move the body!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} WHAAAAT!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Why the hell… would you do something like this… if you aren’t the blackened…? 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Don’t try to pull Yoshi’s stunt on us… moving the body makes no sense if you didn’t kill him… let us not waste time here… just confess already!

 

Kenji: {Furious} I won’t confess to shit! I didn’t kill him! Just… please let me explain! 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I’m… I’m lost right now. 

 

He claims that he didn’t kill him then…? But then… how does anything make sense anymore?

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} I’ll tell you everything that happened… nothing but the truth!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} … Go ahead, but do not waste our time with lies… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Don’t test us Kenji… we won’t allow false information.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Whatever… I wasn’t gonna fucking lie anyways… here’s what went down. 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8

 

{Black and white image of Kenji in front of the waterbath, Tadao’s half submerged body can be seen} 

 

Kenji: I couldn’t sleep… so I took a walk around… and that’s when I found him… it must have been about 3:30… 

 

Kenji: There he was… dead. I couldn’t believe my eyes… I didn’t know what to do and so I started panicking. 

 

Kenji: And then I realised… that there wasn’t a chance in hell that Raiko wasn’t connected to his death… I knew deep down that she had to be responsible… so I decided to frame her.

 

Frame… her!?

 

Kenji: It wasn’t really framing… I knew that she was guilty, I just wanted to make her guilt more obvious to everybody. 

 

{Grey figure is rolling the wheelbarrow away from the waterbath, Tadao’s body can be seen sticking out, the figure is then revealed to be Kenji} 

 

Kenji: Hayato basically got it all right… I released Raiko from her chair using the fuse box… and then I rolled the body all the way back to the isolation chamber… 

 

Kenji: Everything you’ve mentioned was right… everything except the fact that I killed him! That part didn’t happen! 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched over podium} I’m sorry I lied to y’all… after I realised that Yoko was dead I decided to keep it quiet… I was still trying to figure out how Raiko was connected to her death… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} W-Wait… you did all that… to frame Raiko?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Mmhm… all that for me huh?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} She’s the mastermind behind all this… I know it for sure! {Defeated, hunched over podium} I just had to make sure she was convicted… but I guess that didn’t work… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You really think she was the blackened… despite her being restrained until you released her!?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Even from the chair… she could have easily manipulated somebody into killing them… she’s done it before and I had to stop that from happening again! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} K-Kenji! You idiot!

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} What… what now!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} If Raiko had manipulated somebody… then that person would be the blackened… not her! 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Which means that by framing me you were exposing the lot of us to being executed… 

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} That’s… that’s… {Pulls on shirt collar} GRAAAAAAAH!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Kenji-kun… why would you do this…?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… what a waste. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} So… this entire complicated setup regarding Raiko’s chair… it was only done in an attempt to frame her? It wasn’t the killer’s doing? 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} It’s hard to say… Kenji could still be lying after all… 

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched over podium} I’m not… lying… why would I-

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You could still be Tadao’s killer… and this could simply be a ruse… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Y-You… you shut the fuck up! We both know who’s really behind this!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Huh is that so!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Both of you… quiet.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} In all seriousness… and despite the foolishness of his plan… what he’s just told us contains an interesting clue… 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} It… d-does?

 

An important clue in Kenji’s testimony? Could it be that:

 

{The waterbath level was high when Tadao was killed/Kenji found the body first/Yoko’s body wasn’t there at 3:30}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Yoko’s body wasn’t there at 3:30

 

===

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Kenji saw Tadao’s body… that much is clear, but why didn’t he see Yoko?

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} Wh-What…?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Both victims died in the waterbath… and we know that Yoko’s latest possible time of death was 4 AM…  but Kenji didn’t see her at 3:30… which means she must have died in those thirty minutes!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Either that… or her body was moved… for some reason. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Another body that was transported? This… this is getting confusing man!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Whether she was dead or not at that time… it seems impossible to determine at this point…  

 

Hayato: {Determined} No matter what this means… Kenji’s testimony just gave us crucial information about last night’s events!

 

{KENJI’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets} 

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} R-Right… my account was uh… crucial!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Except of course… if it isn’t!

 

What now…? 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} what are you talking about this time Raiko…? 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Before I go any further… I need to ask you something Kenji… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Grr… I don’t have to answer to you!

 

Fusume: {Softly} Kenji… please allow her. 

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched over podium} Ngh… 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} My question is quite simple… you won’t need to use too much of that… big brain of yours. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} H-Hey! She’s provoking him!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I’ll just get to the point… Kenji, did you or did you not… {Serious glare} drug Hayato’s coffee?

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} Wh-What? 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} You admitted to releasing me from the chair… and therefore to having strapped Tadao in my place… but for all that to work you would have needed Hayato to have been asleep correct? 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} If he was awake… he would have seen you and your plan to frame me would have been ruined… right? 

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched over podium} Right… 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} And that’s why you drugged him… isn’t that right?

 

Raiko’s face… it’s distorted in pure anger… where is she going with this? 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hm… we had assumed that Tadao’s killer was the one who drugged Hayato… but if Kenji’s the one who moved the body… then it’s only logical to assume that he also drugged Hayato’s coffee… 

 

It is…? But if that’s the case… it creates a huge inconsistency-

 

Wait! I… I know what Raiko is doing!

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched over podium} I have no reason to lie anymore… yes, you’re right… I am the one who drugged Hayato’s coffee.

 

Dammit, I… I didn’t have time to interject… and now… 

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Pfff… well done Kenji, you walked right into the trap… 

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} What… are you talking about?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Raiko-chan… was this some sort of ruse?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Ruse…? Please, he admitted to it himself. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} S-Sorry… but what d-did he uh.. admit t-to exactly?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} He just proved to all of us that his testimony is a lie! He’s Tadao’s killer!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Ngh… WHAT!?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} How… how can you tell? 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Use your head… and think about it chronologically… Kenji allegedly thought up this… masterplan after discovering Tadao’s body at 3:30… but if that’s the case then why did he drug Hayato’s coffee before night time even started!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s… that’s… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Oh… oh no… 

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched over podium} I… I… n-n-n-n… {Rips shirt open while screaming} NOOOOOOOOOO!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} The only possible explanation… is that Kenji had this entire plan in mind before it all happened… and that’s because he killed Tadao! 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} He knew that Hayato had to be fast asleep for his plan to work… which is why he drugged him… almost 5 hours before he… “allegedly” discovered the body!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} This was all planned carefully in advance… meaning that Kenji… you’re the killer! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Kenji-kun… 

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched over podium} I… n-no… she’s lying… I didn’t kill him… I s-swear… 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} It’s over… I’ve got your cornered… there’s no point in lying anymore… just admit it. 

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} I… I… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Quiet. 

 

Reijiro?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Ugh… what the hell’s your problem?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I beg your pardon… but your argument is fallacious… which means we cannot reach such an important conclusion off your reasoning alone. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} My argument’s fallacious…? What do you mean by that?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} You say that the murder having been planned in advance is the only plausible explanation… which would indict… {Points to Kenji} You. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} However, that is not quite true. There is one more possibility that you have yet to explore… 

 

Another possibility… a reason for Kenji to have drugged my coffee that doesn’t prove him guilty of the murder… 

 

I think I know what he’s talking about… and it could prove Kenji’s innocence… 

 

Even though I’ve been leading the charge on him… his reaction right now… 

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched over podium} … 

 

I just can’t fathom him being the murderer anymore… I feel it in my gut… somehow. 

 

This theory… people won’t like it… but it’s the only other way!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Reijiro… this alternative explanation of Kenji’s actions… could it be this?

 

{Kenji’s original plan was to kill Raiko/Kenji drugged me as a prank/Kenji saw Tadao’s body much earlier than he stated}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Kenji’s original plan was to kill Raiko 

 

===

 

(Music: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} What if Kenji’s plan wasn’t to frame Raiko… but rather to kill her?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Hnngh… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Yes, precisely. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} What are you talking about? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} You say that it was impossible for Kenji to have formulated this plan without having prior knowledge that Tadao was going to die… and you also claim that this plan couldn’t have simply been made up on the spot… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} So what if this plan really had been thought through beforehand… but the discovery of Tadao’s body was what made Kenji change his plans!? 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} … {Grasps medals} I am so lost. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} … 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} This is not set in stone… but the alternative exists. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} So you’re saying that Kenji was planning to murder Raiko…? How can we know that for sure?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} He drugged me long before Tadao was dead… the fact that he need me asleep means that he had already planned to release Raiko… and there are only two possible reasons for that… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Either he really is Tadao’s killer… or his intended victim was totally different! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} So you’re saying… that Kenji-kun’s plan… failed? 

 

Reijiro: {Checks on pocket watch} After discovering the body… it would be too risky to commit another murder… which is why his plan… was modified. Correct?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I suppose the only way to know for sure is for Kenji to tell us. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} But… he’s obviously going to agree with you guys… there’s no way he’d admit his guilt-

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched on podium} Shut up Raiko… they’re right. 

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} I originally intended to kill you. 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} N-No… Kenji… 

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} I… I couldn’t stand it. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} S-Stand… what?

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched on podium} The motive… s-seeing everybody suffer… I couldn’t take it anymore. 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the ground} I was supervising Raiko the entire time… organising the different shifts… and that’s when I realised I had to do something. 

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} I had to kill someone… so that the torture would stop… and Raiko seemed like the best option… 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Best option huh? 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} If anybody deserved to die… it was you!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} B-But… how does that plan even work? If you had killed her… then you would have been pitted against us in the trial!

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, strern expression} And I would have confessed… my life isn’t worth the sum of yours… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} But you didn’t confess… because you didn’t have the chance to go through with your plan. 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the ground} The plan was quite simple originally… I spiked Hayato’s drink to make sure he wouldn’t wake up… and then I’d release Raiko before killing her… with my own hands. 

 

Kenji: But then I found the body… and so I had to improvise… and I guess I assumed the next best thing was to frame her for the murder. 

 

Oriana: {Cries} M-Murder… n-n-no… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical}  Извини на питању … but wouldn’t it have been easier to kill her while she still was strapped to the chair? 

 

Kenji: {Furious} That would have been a cowardly thing to do… I couldn't kill her while she was defenseless… I simply couldn’t! 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} … 

 

Hikari: {Sad} You really were ready to do such a thing… for us? 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} How do we know that you weren’t going to try to win the class trial!?

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched on podium} I guess that you don’t… but I give you my word- 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Who cares about your fucking word?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Raiko-chan?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Are you seriously buying this shit? He’s obviously lying! He’s just trying to get out of it!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} There’s no way he was actually trying to kill me! 

 

Why… why does Raiko seem so agitated about this?

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} I’m telling the truth… I would gladly take your life to save the others. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Kenji… is a killer?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I guess we still haven’t proved it but it’s a likely proposition-

 

Raiko: {Close-up} THAT’S ENOUGH OF YOUR LIES! 

 

A-Again?

 

{Split-screen between Raiko and Hayato}

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Kenji’s killed Tadao… that’s what happened!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} And if you believe anything other than that then you’re out of your mind! 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Just accept the truth Raiko… I was willing to sacrifice myself… there’s no point in me lying if I was the true killer. 

 

Raiko: {Brandishes umbrella like a sword} That’s a lie! You’re just clinging on… hanging for dear life! 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Who’s… who’s telling the truth anymore? 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} H-Hey! Raiko! You’re not supposed to get in a rebuttal showdown twice in the same trial! 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} A what…?

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} Oh well… guess I’ll let it slide for once… who cares about canon am I right? 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Does anybody know what the hell he’s talking about?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Beats me… 

 

Either way… it’s the second time she opposes me like this… I managed to prove her wrong once… now it’s time for round two!

 

===

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4w_7v_BHM

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

{Truth Blades: Shinto’s account, Monokuma’s account, Kenji’s account} 

 

Raiko: 

 

Kenji’s a liar! 

 

Trust me… I know a thing or two about lying… 

 

And he’s obviously trying to get us to look past his crime!

 

His plan required prior knowledge of Tadao’s murder… 

 

Which means that he’s the true blackened! 

 

ADVANCE

 

Hayato: It’s a possibility sure… bu you can’t deny that our theory is just as plausible! 

 

Raiko: 

 

Of course I can deny it!

 

Kenji would never have tried to murder me!

 

Everybody knows I’m above that… 

 

I would have easily turned his plan against him… and gotten him killed!

 

I know that he killed Tadao… 

 

it’s obvious he didn’t just find the body by accident 

 

And there’s nobody who can tell me otherwise! 

 

 …

 

===

 

 

 


SOLUTION : Monokuma’s account → And there’s nobody who can tell me otherwise

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Nobody…? I have to disagree. I believe that Monokuma’s account can actually be used to prove Kenji’s innocence. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lips} Monokuma…?

 

Monokuma: {Anger} H-Hey! Don’t bring me into your shit!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Please remember what Monokuma told us at the very start of the trial… Tadao’s BDA went off between 3 and 4… which means three people saw the body and didn’t tell us about it… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes… that was quite odd. 

 

Oriana: {Cries} Wh-Why w-wouldn’t they tell us!? Whyyyyy?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Why huh? That’s exactly what I was asking myself… and the only reason I can think of is because… they couldn’t tell us!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} They couldn’t…? Why is that?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} A spotless student would have no reason to lie to us… after all their life is on the line as well… which means that the people who saw his body… weren’t so innocent at all!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Wait a second… are you talking about the blackened? That cannot be, the killer isn’t counted in the three students required!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Tadao’s killer isn’t… but we’re dealing with two killers aren’t we?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} So you’re saying… that Yoko’s killer was one of the people who triggered the announcement?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} As fascinating as this all is… what does it have to do with Kenji? You were trying to prove his innocence weren’t you?

Hayato: {Holds chin} I’m getting to it… all I have to do to prove that he’s not the killer is to tell you who the three people in question are! 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Go ahead… 

 

Mathematically… there are only three of us who really could have seen Tadao’s body… and had a good reason to lie about it. All I need to do is show them who it was. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} As I said, I believe that one of the three was Yoko’s killer… I don’t have enough information to determine who that is just yet… but considering that both murders happened in the waterbath and that Tadao died first, it’s likely that Yoko’s killer saw the body.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Hm… that does seem plausible.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} That’s one… who are the the two others then?

 

I need to think logically… considering the location of the murders, if Yoko’s killer saw Tadao, that means that there’s one more person who must have seen him!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The second person… it must have been:

 

{Tadao’s killer/Yoko/Me}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Yoko

 

===

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} If Yoko’s killer saw the body… it’s safe to assume that Yoko also saw it. 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} … 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Yes… I guess that does make sense… she’s the one who changed the waterbath level after all right? That means she was in there while she was still alive… so she also must have seen it.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Furthermore… both Yoko and her killer had good reason not to tell us what they’d seen… the blackened would be compromised and Yoko… {Hurt} simply couldn’t. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I get it… so the two of them saw it… but who’s the third?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Isn’t it obvious… I believe the third was Kenji! 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Kenji-kun…? Is that true?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Kenji wouldn’t have told us that he triggered the announcement because it would shift our suspicions towards him… but now that the truth is coming out… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Kenji! Give us the full story! 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} If you really are the third person… then it will definitely clear your name! 

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} Fine… you’re right… when I found Tadao’s body… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )

 

{Flashback}

 

{Black and white frame of Kenji kneeling next to Tadao} 

 

Kenji: Y-Yo bro… are you alright?

 

… 

 

Kenji: C-C’mon… it’s not funny… just wake up!

{Kenji starts shaking Tadao’s shoulders} 

 

Kenji: Wake up I said!

 

{The monitor in music room turns on}

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

Monokuma: Attention ye bastards: A body has just been discovered! Following a brief time for investigation, the class trial will begin! 

 

Monokuma: Well… considering that everybody’s sleeping… I guess I’ll leave y’all some time… you haven’t seen everything yet after all upupu… 

 

{The monitor turns back off} 

 

Kenji: Dammit… he’s really dead. What… what do I do!?

 

{Flashback ends} 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} I should have simply called for help… but instead… I did what I did. 

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} I’m really fucking sorry… but you should know that my intentions were good. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Your intentions… you still wanted to commit a murder… that much is already hard to forgive! 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I still… don’t wanna believe it man… 

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, stern expression} So it’s true… Kenji didn’t kill Tadao. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Hnngh… Hayato’s explanation doesn’t seem flawed… but I still have trouble believing that somebody else did this! Kenji’s testimony doesn’t add up!

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} If that is the case… then perhaps you have got an alternative explanation to offer?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} I… uh…

 


Reijiro: {Sly grin} If that’s not the case then I propose you keep quiet. We need to continue moving forward… 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} You… you’re really gonna believe this? That his goal was to kill me… that he’s really innocent!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I… I b-believe him! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} His innocence hasn’t been proved beyond the shadow of a doubt… but neither has his guilt! 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Innocent until proven guilty… right? 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} … 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} If that will be all… then I suppose it is time for us to move on. 

 

I was so convinced that I’d caught the killer… but the truth is that Kenji’s defense ended up being pretty good… and I guess I was… touched by his reaction. 

 

I usually would try to keep emotion out of this… but he looked so apologetic and… and humble, I just can’t imagine Kenji lying to us right now. 

 

And that means… that the killer is still hiding from us… 

 

Jessie: {Sad}  No m’ho puc creure, we’ve gone this far… and we’re back at square one? 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the ground} I’m sorry… for wasting everyone’s time… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} We shall deal with you later Kenji… for now, we need to concentrate on finding the killer. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Is that true though man… are we really back to the very beginning? 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Well, no… not quite. We’ve learnt a few crucial pieces of information. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} L-like what?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} For starters… we now know that both victims died in the same place, the waterbath. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Correct, we initially thought that the two murders were independent… but this means that they were likely linked! 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Linked… as in how?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} There are a few different possibilities… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} And one of them… is that there’s only one killer after all!

 

Oriana: {Cries} N-No way! I… uh… I th-thought there were t-two of them!

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Well… the fact that both of them died in the same place… it does mean that it’s a possibility… right?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I’m not sure… if Yoko’s killer and Tadao’s killer really are the same person… then it would mess with my body discovery count… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} That is true… but the count is only hypothetical is it not? Nothing has been proven just yet. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Any if there’s a doubt then we have to pursue it… we can’t leave any page unturned after all. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Heh… so we’re questioning the number of killers now…? But if there’s really only one blackened… then who is it?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Do we even have anything to base this on?

 

Oriana: {Shy look} E-Excuse me… b-but… uh… {Pumped up} I know wh-who did this!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Oriana… you do? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Somehow I doubt that slightly… 

 

Oriana: {Cries} It’s the m-mummy!

 

We’re back at that mummy business huh…? We still are yet to figure out who the mummy really is…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} The mummy does seem to be an obvious suspect… thank you Oriana!

 

Jessie: {Ecstatic} Yay! Well done Oriana-chan!

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} I’ve b-been… helpful!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Are you kidding me?

 

Jessie: {Scared} Shinto-kun… what’s wrong?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, stern expression} What’s wrong is that the last time we talked about… the “mummy”, you guys all said it had to be Yoko… 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} And you can’t be saying that Yoko’s the killer… I won’t allow that. 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Well, if Yoko really was the mummy, then she couldn’t have been the blackened for both murders… obviously. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} But she still could have killed Tadao… the fact that he died before her supports that!

 

Kenji: {Looks to the ground} Yeah, so does the fact that she was carrying a bloody sword!

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, stern expression} You better watch what you say… very… carefully!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m sorry Shinto man… but it’s a possibility! How else could you explain that she was carrying a weapon-

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} J-Just shut up already! We don’t even know that it’s her in that picture… you’re just m-making things up! 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We’re not making anything up! By way of elimination, this is the only possibility! 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} No it isn’t! There’s gotta be something else! I know it’s not her! 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} And how the hell can you know that for sure?

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} I’d recognise her in the photo… even with the bandages on… it’s not her, I have no doubts. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Whether or not it is her… what matters right now is to figure out if the mummy is the blackened or not… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} You’re right… we should discuss this further. 

 

Did the mummy kill Tadao…? And if so, is the mummy actually Yoko? We need to find the answer to both those questions… the quicker the better!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckx2nvp8L3g&t

 

{Truth Bullets : Used bandages, Oriana’s account, Shinto’s account, Monokuma File #3 & 4, Mysterious letter}

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’m telling you… Yoko isn’t this mummy person… I know that she’d never kill anybody…

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} And no matter all that, you can clearly see that it’s not her in the picture!

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} Is that so? I’d say the picture’s too blurry to really see anything!  

 

Oriana: {Cries} F-Forgive me… I r-really did my b-best!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I’m sorry Shinto but we’ve been over this… the only person who could have been in that photo is Yoko

 

Fusume: {Confident} She’s the right height, and she has no alibi! 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} At the end of the day, this matters little if we cannot prove that the person in the photo is one of the blackened students!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} What more is there to prove man!? It’s holding a sword… and you can clearly see blood!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Both victims were killed by a sharp weapon… that sword killed at least one of them! 

 

Jessie: {Sad}  Donc … the mummy’s holding the blood stained murder weapon… Tadao-kun’s death was very bloody right? 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} That means that the mummy was splattered with blood, explaining the blood on the sword! 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} She’s right man! The mummy’s the killer. There’s no way to deny that!

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} N-no… no… I won’t believe it… 

 

 

Is that picture enough to indict the mummy…? I think that I need to look at the evidence one more time… 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Used bandages → the mummy was splattered with blood

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Sorry Jessie… but you’ve got that one wrong. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Wat heb ik gezegd? Isn’t it fair to assume that the killer got blood all over them?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Yes, that much I can agree with… but the mummy itself definitely wasn’t bloodied. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Are you simply basing that assumption on the picture…? Most of the figure’s chest is hidden by the camera angle… 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} No, I’m saying this because I’m pretty sure that I found the bandages that our mystery person used to create the mummy… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} And they were spotless! Not a drop of blood!

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} N-No way! 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} But Hayato, how do you know that those bandages are the ones used by the mummy?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I guess there’s no way to know for sure, but I can’t think of a single other use of a few meters worth of clean bandages!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yeah, you’re right… that does seem suspicious.

 

Reijiro: {Checks on pocket watch} They likely did not have the time to clean the bandages… which means that if the bandages were clean… they were never bloody in the first place. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} But… if the mummy was the killer, there’s no way they’d get out of it blood-free right?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Exactly… which means I doubt the mummy killed either of the victims… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Which means that Yoko’s not the killer after all. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Of course she’s not… and she’s not the mummy either, seriously!

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} The mummy didn’t kill anyone…? But then what the heck were they doing? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} It would be foolish to assume that they are completely unrelated to the case… they are holding a bloody weapon, we cannot forget that. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} So then… wh-what could i-it have been uh… up t-to!

 

What was the mummy doing…? It really isn’t clear in the picture… all we know is that they were holding the weapon… but why?

 

Maybe-

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I’d like to use the ultimate truth. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Raiko-chan?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I knew you were being too quiet… you’re up to something aren’t you?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} You’re gonna use it… now? What’s the question?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Ooh… I can’t wait to hear this! I’ve been waiting for my chance to contribute!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I thought you didn’t want to be involved man… 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Raiko… what is it that you want to ask?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Hold the phone… let me remind you that now if the question is spoken then I’ll answer it immediately… you don’t get a second chance!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} S-So… what d-does that mean?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} It means that if she tells you what her question is that’ll automatically trigger the ultimate truth. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hey! You’ve never mentioned this to us before!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Yes, this rule seems like you’ve made it up just now. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} So what!? I can make up rules if I want… I just know that this is gonna add some spice in this bitch upupu!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Heh… so if I ask my question out loud then we’re done for…? Alright, here goes-

 

Kenji: {Furious} Shut the fuck up! 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Kenji? 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Don’t you get it? She’s gonna use this as a way to mess with us? If we let her ask her question then she’s just gonna waste it!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} It’s true that we only get one ultimate truth… it’d be a shame to waste it. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} It’s not like you’ve got any other questions to ask is it?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Who cares!? I’m not letting you waste our chance!!!

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} The hell am I wasting… I’m helping us idiot you idiot!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Would Raiko-chan really waste our chance though…? She needs us to find the killer too you know!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} H-hey! We can’t know that she’s actually trying to help us for sure man! This could be a trick!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You can’t be this moronic to actually think I’d do that! I want to get out of here… I want the truth!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That’s bullcrap! You’ve been trying to lead us in wrong directions in both previous trials! This just seems typical of you!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} I’m telling you that things are different this time! I’m helping! 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I am afraid we cannot take that risk… the ultimate truth is precious. 

 

Raiko: {Brandishes umbrella like a sword} You too? Are you seriously gonna deny me this?

 

Kenji: {Furious} I’ll gag you if I have to!

 

I should intervene… this is getting out of hands… but in a way, I think that the others won’t be taking my position too well. 

 

 

To hell with it. 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 )

 

Hayato: I think… {Bead of sweat} I think we should let her talk. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} WHAT!?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Man… are you seriously siding with Raiko now? 

 

Hayato: I’m not siding with anyone… but it’s true that she’s been acting quite differently this trial… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} And in a way, yeah, she’s been kind of useful so far. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} C’mon… you’re seriously falling for that shit? She might be acting like she’s on our side… but we all know that she’s not. 

 

Jessie: Confitendum… It’s not easy to have faith in Raiko-chan after all she’s done. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I get that… but this time it’s different. I think we should just hear her out. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I don’t think we have any other suggestions as far as ultimate truth question go? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… we simply cannot take the risk… 

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} But guys… what if he was right…? I don’t know why but I feel like we can trust her this time. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} TRUST HER? ARE YOU OUTSIDE OF YOUR MIND!!?

 

Screaming really is key to him isn’t it…?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Guys let’s calm down here. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We can’t calm down until we decide on what to do… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} The debate is closed… we won’t listen-

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Was the mummy a girl?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} R-Raiko-chan…? 

 

Kenji: {Furious} What did you just say?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Did you just…?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} What…? You guys were taking too long to decide… so I took my decision. 

 

Kenji: No… no you fucking didn’t!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Monokuma, I’ve asked my question… this is the ultimate truth we seek. 

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} You… what did you do!? 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} We didn’t agree to this! Don’t answer her!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Too late for that buddy… I did make myself clear… I’m gonna have to answer Raiko’s question… this will be your ultimate truth for the trial!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But that question… it’s so dumb man!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Dumb?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You asked… the gender of the mummy? Isn’t it obvious!?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} The mummy’s got to be a girl… there’s no way a boy was on the east wing!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} So you really wanted to trick us Raiko-chan! Why would you ask a useless question like that. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} … 

 

The mummy’s gender…? I don’t get it… 

 

What do you have in mind Raiko…?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Well… if you’ve got no more complaining to do… I shall now answer your question!

 

Kenji: {Looks to the ground} I can’t believe you wasted our ultimate truth like that… 

 

Monokuma: To the question : “was the mummy a girl” the answer is… drumroll please… 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks away} Wh-What’s the point… we already know the answer man… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} No. 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11

 

Wait… 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} WHAT!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’re saying that the mummy… was a guy?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} That is simply impossible… the mummy was seen on the east wing, a male could not have been on that side!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} And yet… the mummy in Oriana’s picture’s a boy… there’s no doubt about it!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I knew it wasn’t Yoko… but how does that make any sense?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} I… I don’t get it. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} And yet my answer is absolute… don’t try to second guess me, I wouldn’t undermine the power of the ultimate truth. 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Pehh… you were so quick to shut me down… you don’t act so smart now though do you? 

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} H-How did you know!?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} So… a guy managed to get on the east wing, now we’ve got to find out how-

 

Kenji: {Close-up} BOY YOU WILDIN’

 

{Split screen between Kenji and Hayato} 

 

Kenji: {Furious} That’s fucking bullshit! There’s no way that the mummy’s a guy!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Wait… how is this my fault exactly?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I’ll show you… I’ll fucking show you… 

 

I get that he’s angry… but I’m not sure why he’s angry at me… I suppose that I should hear what he has to say. 

 

===

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4w_7v_BHM

 

{Truth Blades: Automated Ceiling, Ventilation System, Rule #13} 

 

Kenji: 

 

This is fucking bullshit!

 

The rule was clear as day! 

 

If somebody crossed the waterbath they’d be killed there and then!

 

So how the fuck do you propose that a guy could have been seen on the east wing!?

 

ADVANCE

 

Hayato: I… I didn’t say anything… Monokuma said so and he isn’t supposed to lie about the ultimate truth!

 

Kenji:

 

Well he’s lying! 

 

There’s no way to prove that the mummy was a guy

 

It’s got to be a chick

 

The fact that the picture was taken on the east wing should be enough

 

Because there’s no way to get on the other wing… 

 

Without crossing the waterbath! 

 

 

I’m not sure why I have to prove this… we should just be taking Monokuma’s word for it… 

 

But now that we’re at it… I should use this opportunity to show everybody the truth about the mummy!

 

===

 

 

 


SOLUTION : Ventilation System → Without crossing the waterbath!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

This is it… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 )

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Actually, that’s not true… there was a way to get to the other side of the building… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Without crossing the waterbath at all!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Wait, are you talking about… what I think you’re talking about?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The ventilation grid… it connected the infirmary to the spa… 

 

Hayato: The rooms are completely symmetrical and they share a connected ventilation system!

 

Hayato: {Determined} The mummy could have used that ventilation grid to get from the west wing to the east wing without breaking rule #13!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} I can’t believe it!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} That is what I suspected… once again, Monokuma instored a loophole in his rule. 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} upupupu… I can’t help it! Loopholes are my favorite types of hole!  

 

Jessie: Gross… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} The mummy… went through the ventilation system… but that’s impossible!

 

Hayato: {Determined} And yet that’s how it was done! It’s the only way for a boy to have gotten from one wing to the other!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That air vent… is quite narrow, wouldn’t it have been hard for anybody to get through it?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Yes… and that’s exactly where I’m going with this!

 

(Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCho8m4Zyc )

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Finally… you get it… 

 

This is what Raiko was doing… she was suspecting the same person as I am now… she simply used the ultimate truth to make it clear to everyone. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Guys, what are you talking about?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} We now know for a fact that the mummy went through the ventilation system… and we also know that the mummy was a guy… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} There’s only one person who fits that description!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You know… who the mummy is?

 

Hayato: The mummy… it’s:

 

{CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT}

 

Hayato: {Determined} … 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} … 

 

Fusume: {Confident} … 

 

Kôzuke : {Worried} … 

 

Jessie: {Scared} … 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} … 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} … 

 

Yoshi

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} …

 

Yoko

 

Kyia

 

Tadao 

 

Fukami

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Rina

 

 

 

 

{Select Kôzuke}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU

 

Hayato: {Determined} Kôzuke! You’re the mummy!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} WHAT!? The mummy’s Kôzuke-kun?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Kôzuke spent the night in the infirmary… meaning it was easy for him to reach that air vent… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Furthermore… you’re the only boy small enough to fit the tight passage! 

 

Hayato: I have an alibi… Kenji is obviously too tall while Shinto could never have fitted with his cast… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Which means you’re the only one left!

 

Kôzuke: {Pale, bites nails} I… {Hides head in helmet} … 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Kôzuke… say that it ain’t true! I know that it’s not! 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} … 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Kôzuke… are you not going to defend yourself? 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} … 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} In fact, Kôzuke… you’ve already proved yourself that you could fit through the air vent… 

 

Oriana: H-he did?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} It would explain… this strange event from a few days ago… 

 

{Flashback}

 

Hayato: Yeah, you’re right… before we go though… I have something for you. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Something for me? Is it a present!?

 

Hayato: Uh… not quite. I found this on the floor this morning. 

 

{Close-up on Kôzuke’s toy car} 

 

Kôzuke: Hey! That’s my car! I’ve been looking for it all day!

 

Hayato: It was on the floor in the east wing… I’m guessing you dropped it there yesterday before the motive went live. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Yeah… that must be it. It’s not like I could have been in the east wing at night… 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Thanks a ton man… s-sorry for cutting this short but I really don’t want to be late. 

 

Kôzuke: {Proudly} I’ll see you on the other side! {Leaves} 

 

Something… was off about that just now. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Your toy car ended up in the east wing even though you were supposedly in the west wing all night… the only explanation is that you had already used the air vent to change wings that night!

 

Hayato: {Determined} That was practice for last night… you knew perfectly well that you could use the ventilation system to bypass rule #13… and that’s how you became the mummy!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} … 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Wait a second… what about that picture… the mummy’s way too tall to be Kôzuke!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} That height thing was never important… we can’t see the mummy’s legs, he could be on his tiptoes for all we know!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Graaah! 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Kôzuke… he’s the mummy?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} But why would he do something like that… why Kôzuke! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} We already know that the mummy’s not the killer… which means there must have been another reason for the mummy’s actions!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} … 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Say something dammit!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} That’s okay… I’m pretty certain that I know what Kôzuke was doing!

 

I just don’t like where this is going… 

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Then tell us… what was the mummy’s… master plan?

 

Kôzuke dressed up as the mummy and went to the east wing… all that holding a bloody sword in his hands… and yet he’s not the killer. 

 

There’s only one other reason he could have done what he did… I need to think about the state of both rooms… the answer’s there! 

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csp8A4G7y-c )

 

Question: What was Kôzuke doing on the east wing?

 

-----

 

S S I N T S  W E D G W O T C  R H H I

 

===

 

… 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : S W I T C H I N G  T H E  S W O R D S

 

… 

 

Oh god… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Kôzuke was holding a bloody sword… and yet he’s not the blackened… he was doing something else… and I believe that what he did… was switching the infirmary sword with the spa sword!

 

Jessie: What!? But why?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Before you say anything else… this is a serious accusation Hayato, can you prove it?

 

Can I prove it…? Yes, I think I can. 

 

Hayato: I believe that this will prove my point!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Golden Katanas

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The answer lies in the swords themselves… there were two identical katana… except for the fact that one was a real weapon while the other was made out of plastic.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s correct, the spa sword was indeed a fake!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Wait… so which sword is the mummy holding in the picture… the real or the fake? 

 

Hayato: That’s simple… Kôzuke’s holding:

 

{The real sword/The fake sword} 

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: The real sword

 

===

 

Hayato: The sword in the picture is real… it wouldn’t be covered in blood otherwise

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} So you’re saying that Kôzuke switched the two swords around… but why would he do that?

 

Kôzuke: {Pale, bites nails} … 

 

He’s taking his helmet off… I know I’m close to the truth!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} He did it… to hide the truth!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} H-hide… the truth?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} And what truth was that?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Go ahead Hayato, the floor is yours

 

The truth… the truth about the golden katanas… the thing that Kôzuke was desperately trying to hide… it’s:

 

{Both swords are fake/The real sword was in the infirmary/The sword wasn’t used in either murder} 

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: The real sword was in the infirmary

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} Kôzuke was trying to hide the fact that the real sword was actually the infirmary sword!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What… are you saying!?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} We assumed this entire time that the real sword was the spa sword… because that’s where we found it… covered in blood.

 

Hayato: {Determined} Except the swords were switched… in reality, the real sword was in the infirmary and the fake sword was in the spa!

 

Kôzuke: {Sweating nervously} … 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Hayato! What does this mean!?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} It means two things… firstly, if the real sword was in the infirmary… then we got things the wrong way around… the katana was used to kill Tadao not Yoko!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… we had assumed the contrary because of the position of the authentic sword… but if things are as you say… then that does seem logical. 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Tadao… was killed with the katana? That does seem consistent with his injuries…

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} And tell us… Hayato, what’s the second part of your explanation. 

 

The second part huh…? She knows it already… she just wants to make me say it… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Hayato! What does this mean!?

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCho8m4Zyc)

 

Hayato: It means… it means that I know who the killer is. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You… you do?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} When it comes to Tadao’s murder… there’s only one person who comes into mind… 

 

I’ve known for a few minutes… ever since the Kôzuke reveal… but I just can’t accept it… 

 

I don’t get it… I don’t want this person to have done what I accuse them of… but yet everything points to them all of a sudden. 

 

They went from off my radar to immediate suspect in a millisecond… I don’t want to, but I can’t ignore the facts… 

 

The facts we’ve uncovered about both Tadao’s cause and place of death… 

 

The fact that Kôzuke’s involvement… creates a contradiction in what I thought I knew… 

 

The fact that this person’s appearance changed, ever so slightly since the murder… 

 

This change… these facts… I can’t simply deny them. 

 

This person’s the most logical killer if we take all the facts into consideration!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Hayato! Say it!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Who’s the killer?

 

Hayato: Tadao’s killer… one of the blackened students in this case… our friend’s murderer… 

 

Without a second thought, my index finger just shooted in the direction of my suspect… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} It’s you!

 

{CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT}

 

Hayato: {Determined} … 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} … 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} … 

 

Kôzuke : {Hides head in helmet} … 

 

Jessie: {Scared} … 

 

Kenji: {Furious} … 

 

Oriana: {Crying} … 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} … 

 

Yoshi

 

Shinto: {Frowns} …

 

Yoko

 

Kyia

 

Tadao 

 

Fukami

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Rina

 

 

 




Notes:

Oh boy, looks like it's time to confront the killer! Do you know who Hayato's got in mind? Please leave your predictions/theory/feedback in the comments! We're getting closer to this chapter's endgame... so now's the perfect time for last minute theories!

Thank you for reading once again and see you in the next one!

Chapter 38: Chapter 3 : At the Mercy of our Emotions : Class Trial part 3

Notes:

Let's see who Hayato's about to accuse shall we?

Hope you enjoy this one :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

{Select Shinto}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoh-Z_TS_xE )

 

Hayato: {Determined} Shinto! I believe that you are the man behind Tadao’s murder!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} M-Me?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} N-No way… you think Shinto did this? 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Shinto-kun… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} After hearing about what Kôzuke did… Shinto stands out as the most obvious suspect. 

 

Oriana: {Crying} Wh-Why… is that!?

 

Shinto: {Looks down} Y-Yeah… I don’t get why you’re accusing me… 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast} After everything I’ve gone through… both physically and… mentally. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} You really think I could have committed a murder!?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} I don’t want to accuse you… and I honestly didn’t think that you would be capable of something like this… but the evidence is against you… and I can’t ignore that.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} The evidence… what evidence? 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well… thinking about it, there are quite a few things that lead me to think that you did it… 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} This… this is nonsense! I can’t believe you have this little faith in me! 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Yeah Hayato-kun! What is this all about!?

 

Oriana: {Shy look} If uh… if I m-may… I d-don’t think that Sh-Shinto did this!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} It does seem unlikely… are you sure that you’ve thought this one through Hayato? 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Y-Yes… obviously I did… but maybe if you just let me speak-

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, angry} It’s not only unlikely… it’s impossible! And I’ll prove it to you!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} But I haven’t even… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Please Hayato… let me prove my innocence. 

 

… 

 

Fine. I wish I could have, you know, made my accusation before people start jumping the gun on me like that… 

 

I do get it though… I too would be shocked if somebody else was accusing Shinto of murder… but I’m sure of it, Shinto killed Tadao… 

 

And whatever he says to try to defend himself… I’ll have to counter it with my evidence! 

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t )

 

{Truth Bullets : Monokuma’s account, Raiko’s account, Shinto’s account, Monokuma file inconsistencies, Automatic ceiling}

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, stern expression} I suppose that I do see where you’re coming from… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} If Kôzuke really did switch the swords… then I become suspicious for having been in proximity with the weapon.

 

Fusume: {Confident} That does make sense… the only other people in the infirmary were Kôzuke and Reijiro… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The latter being unconscious… we can take him off the suspect list already.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… looks like my punishment rescues me once again. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} B-But… didn’t we say that Kôzuke was also out of the picture?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} If he’d done it… there would have been blood on the bandages right!?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, stern expression} Here’s where I think that you’re wrong… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I believe that we can’t rule out Kôzuke just yet!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} … 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, stern expression} Firstly, these bandages could simply be a decoy… what if the mummy knew that you would accuse them… 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} That’s why they left clean bandages on the floor! To make you think that these were the ones they used!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Secondly… the infirmary was in complete darkness… Kôzuke was much closer to the katana than I was…  

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, stern expression} I simply couldn’t have gotten to the murder weapon!

 

… 

 

Shinto thinks that we’ve rushed to a conclusion huh…? Did we rule out Kôzuke too early? I should figure this out before moving on. 

 

===

 

 

 



SOLUTION : Shinto’s account → I believe that we can’t rule Kôzuke out just yet!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34



Hayato: {Holds chin} Shinto… I’m afraid what you’re saying just doesn’t hold up!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} It doesn’t…? Where’s your proof!?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You’re the proof… or at least, your testimony is!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Wh-what?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Please remember what you yourself told me before the trial started… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Shinto: {Looks down} Before you ask… I don’t know anything.

 

Hayato: Oh… well I didn’t think it was very appropriate to ask…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Kôzuke and I slept in the infirmary… watching over Reijiro…

 

Shinto: {Looks down} The lights were off… but I could hear Kôzuke’s breathing at the few occasions in which I woke up… probably at around 3:00 and 3:30… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} He’ll tell you the same… we were both asleep the entire night… and I’m certain neither him nor I left the infirmary!

 

Hayato: Okay! Nobody was going to doubt you seriously! No need to worry!

 

Shinto: {Looks down} I’m j-just making sure… 

 

Well… at least he provides an alibi for himself and Kôzuke… I’d better keep this in mind.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Shinto: {Sweating profusely, grabs shirt collar} I… uh… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} You yourself told me that Kôzuke couldn’t be the killer… and that’s because you’re his alibi! 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Wait a second… if that’s the case… then doesn’t Shinto’s account also prove his own innocence?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} What now? 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} If he can vouch for Kôzuke… then perhaps Kôzuke can vouch for him!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Heh… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} What do you look so smug for?

 

Seriously… you of all people? The irony…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It looks like I’ve finally got a chance to explain my reasoning behind my accusation… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Just please… don’t interrupt me Shinto. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} … Fine, I’m curious to hear what it is that you have against me. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} The first problem is Shinto’s account in itself… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Is it the f-fact th-that it uh… it… it p-prove that K-Kôzuke’s innocent!?

 

Hayato: No… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} It’s the fact that it shouldn’t!

 

Shinto: {Sweating profusely, grabs shirt collar} … Wh-What are you talking about…?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Let’s see here… in your testimony you told me that you could hear Kôzuke breathing at around 3:00 and 3:30, proving that he was in the room with you… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} That is what I said… what’s wrong with it?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} What’s wrong is that this contradicts the evidence… {Determined} More precisely this!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Oriana’s account

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The picture that Oriana showed us… it was time stamped at 3:41… now if we are to assume that Kôzuke had to grab the sword, crawl through the vent, wrap himself in bandages and then appear at 3:41 in the spa… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} I find it hard to imagine that he could have been in the infirmary at 3:30 with you! 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Hngh… 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Because the room was pitch black… neither of you really knew who was in the room at what time… you told us that Kôzuke was there at 3:30 to create an alibi for yourself, but the truth is… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} At that time, neither of you were actually in the infirmary!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} … 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Nghhhhh!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Neither of them…?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Here’s the timeline as I see it…  

 

{Black and white frame of Shinto stabbing Tadao in the waterbath corridor}

 

Hayato: First, for reasons still unknown to me… Shinto killed Tadao and around 3:00 AM.

 

{Similar frame of Shinto putting the sword back on its stand} 

 

Hayato: After he was done, he went back in the infirmary and put the sword back… after all, he couldn’t be seen by anyone carrying the sword. 

 

Hayato: However, judging by Tadao’s injury… we have to assume that Shinto was splattered with blood… which is why Shinto left the room once more… likely to clean himself up. 

 

{Kôzuke can be seen getting inside the vent with the sword in his hand} 

 

Hayato: That’s when Kôzuke woke up… and for, again, unknown reasons, he put up the whole mummy act and switched the swords around before getting caught on camera by Oriana. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} The truth is that the both of you were up to your own shenanigans… but Shinto had no way to know that Kôzuke wasn’t actually in the room at the time, and that’s why he lied about their mutual alibi!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} An alibi that Kôzuke couldn’t deny without putting himself in jeopardy.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} And that’s how the both of you accidentally created a perfect shared alibi!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} But of course… now that we know the truth about Kôzuke’s movements, your alibi crumbles down Shinto…  

 

Hayato: {Determined} And the fact that you lied about it makes you even more suspicious!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} … 

 

Oriana: {Shocked} N-n-no way!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Shinto-kun… 

 

Shinto: {Looks down} N-No… y-you’re… you’re wrong… I didn’t kill anybody.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I’m afraid you’re going to have to prove that for us… 

 

Shinto: Hngh… grrrraaaaah!!! {Slams cane on podium, angry} You’ve got no proof! This… this is all conjecture!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} That’s your defense… seriously?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Don’t act so tough Kenji… you weren’t faring any better earlier on in the trial… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Despite how suspicious he currently looks… it’s true that you haven’t presented any concrete evidence of Shinto’s guilt!

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Is the fact that he lied not concrete enough?

 

Hayato: You want concrete…? I’m not done with my explanations!

 

Oriana: {Shocked} Y-You’re not!?

 

Just a few minutes ago I listed the reasons for my suspicions… and there’s still one aspect that I haven’t adressed… 

 

This should be the nail in the coffin.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… go ahead and show us the concrete piece of evidence that you are alluding to… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The piece of evidence that proves Shinto’s guilt… you’ll find it by taking a look a this!



{Shinto’s cane/Shinto’s hat/Shinto’s cast}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Shinto’s cane

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} Shinto! The answer lies in your cane… or should I say on your cane!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} On my… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} His cane…? How so?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} That golden lion… it is quite nice beautiful isn’t it?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} G-Golden…?

 

He suddenly grabbed his canes handle and clutched it close to his chest… as if he wanted to hide it from us. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Why… why does the colour seem to surprise you…? Even if you hide it… we’ve had a chance to see it a few time so far during the trial!

 

{Flashback} 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} WHAAAAT!?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Wait, Shinto… I’ll explain- 

 

Before I could finish, he slammed his cane on his podium, the golden lion on its handle almost staring me down. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} What the hell are you talking about!? Yoko’s the victim here!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} I’m just stating the facts… you seem awfully against us tackling Tadao’s murder and I wonder why that is!

 

Kenji: {Furious} You can point your gold shitcane as much as you want… You know what, you’re the suspicious one here!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} What are you talking about!?

 

Hikari: G-Guys! Calm down!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yeah, that handle’s golden alright… but it’s not meant to be gold is it Shinto?

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Wh-What are you talking about?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You can’t possibly be implying… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} But I am… there’s a handy little feature on our resident ID which gives a brief physical description of each student… for some reason. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} P-Perhaps… uh… M-Monokuma was weary th-that some of us would have t-trouble remembering n-names!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} *ahem* Yoshi *ahem*

 

Jessie: {Pouting} What did you just say Kenji-kun?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} That incredibly disrespectful comment aside… if we just click on Shinto’s profile… we’ll see one thing quite clearly!

 

Hayato: {Determined} And that’s the fact that your cane’s handle is supposed to be coated in silver, not gold!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Ngh…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} The handle changed colour…? But how did it go from silver to gold!? How is that even possible? 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} And more importantly… how the heck is that related to the case?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} That’s simple… I know exactly why the cane’s handle seems to have changed colour…


Hayato: {Determined} It’s because of this! 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Golden Katana

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Determined} That golden handle is irrefutable proof that you held the katana in your very own hands! 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Gnnnrk!!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Is… is that so?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yes… I don’t think many of us were aware of this… but the swords had a… unique particularity

 

{Flashback} 

 

Oriana: {Cries} Ahhhhhhhh!

 

Hayato: Oriana… relax! Why don’t you tell me what happened?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I… I… I thought that golden s-sword was pretty so I t-t-touched it… and now my hands are covered in g-gold!

 

Hayato: They’re… covered in gold?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} The handle is flakey… This sword is obviously not actually made of gold but simply gold plated. 

 

Hayato: I see… some of the plating got on Oriana’s hands after she touched that handle… is that it?

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Essentially… I still fail to see why this is such a big deal!

 

Oriana: {Cries} I want it… uh… uh… off m-me!

{Ends flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} The sword wasn’t actually made of gold… instead, it’s been gold plated!

 

Hayato: {Determined} And that flakey handle is proof enough of your guilt Shinto!

 

Monokuma: {Wiping tear} Ah… the nostalgia… that sword’s just classic killing game stuff… 


Hayato: {Bead of sweat} O-okay… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Ahem, Shinto… what do you have to say for yourself?

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} Wait wait wait… let me get this clear… you’re saying that his cane seemingly changed colour… because of that sword’s gold plating?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Yes, that is what I believe… after holding the sword, Shinto’s hands were covered in gold… and then that gold ended up on the cane he’s always got with him!

 

Shinto: {Sweating profusely, grabs shirt collar} Ngh…!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That would certainly explain that gold tint… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} And it can be easily proved by scratching the plating off the cane… if the true handle really is silver then that will clear it. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Hnngh…!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Well Shinto… the floor is yours! Prove to us that your cane isn’t covered in gold plating!  

 

Hayato: Go ahead and prove your innocence! 

 

… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a

 

Shinto: {Sweating profusely, grabs shirt collar} I… I… 

 

Kôzuke: {Examines reflection in helmet, disappointed} Shinto… I think it’s time man.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Kôzuke!?

 

That’s the first time he’s said anything since I accused him of being the mummy. 

 

Kôzuke: {Serious, standing straight} Just drop it… I can’t be silent any longer. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} … 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Kôzuke… you knew?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I know that everything that Hayato’s said about me is right man… I switched those swords around… just like he said!

 

Oriana: {Cries} B-But… Kôzuke… wh-why?

 

{Black and white frame of Kôzuke in the pitch-black infirmary with his Resident ID in his hands} 

 

Kôzuke: I woke up in the middle of the night… and I felt that something ws off man!

 

Kôzuke: So I turned on my tablet to check the time y’know… and then that’s when I saw… 

 

{Kôzuke sees the katana on its stand right behind him, it’s still partially covered in blood} 

 

Kôzuke: Thanks to my tablet’s light… I saw the sword behind me… and I thought… I thought that I had done something stupid!

 

Hikari: You? But you didn’t use that sword at all! You’re not the blackened!

 

Kôzuke: That may be true… but at the time, I thought that maybe I had done it while under the influence of the motive… so I switched the swords… to cover my tracks… just in case I had done something that I couldn’t remember doing!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} So it was you… 

 

Kôzuke: {Examines reflection in helmet, disappointed} I’m a coward man… I know… I just couldn’t take the risk… 

 

Kôzuke: {Serious, standing straight} But now that the truth is out… I can’t hold this in any longer man… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} That motive… nobody actually got affected by it last night… which means that you couldn’t have acted under the influence Kôzuke!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I know… that’s why I gave up trying to hide it… 

 

Reijiro: {Clears glasses} And why are you telling us this now?

 

Kôzuke: Because… {Objection stance} Because I definitely wasn’t in the infirmary at 3:30! And that means that Shinto’s lying!

 

That’s it… that’s all I needed it to finish it… 

 

Thank you Kôzuke… for being brave enough to tell us the truth. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Shinto-kun… lied? 

 

Hayato: The fact that his alibi was based on a lie… the fact that he was the only one in proximity with the murder weapon… and the fact that his cane has been stained with the sword’s golden colour… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} You can’t deny those facts anymore Shinto! 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} … 

 

… 

 

Nothing? 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Shinto… you… you did this?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You of all people… 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} Just… just let me explain will you. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Are you still not done?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I am… no more lies… I just need to explain everything to you… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} No need!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Kenji-kun?

 

Kenji: {Furious} I won’t give him a chance to bullshit his way out of this! The truth is… I’ve cracked the case already!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} *Sigh* I thought that by now you would have realised that you should keep quiet in times like this. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} H-Hey! Don’t patronize me bro! I’ve got this one in the fucking bag!

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} You’ve gotten your groove back quickly huh…? I think I prefer you when you were all regretful and pathetic earlier. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Grr… the fact that I regret what I did doesn’t mean I’m gonna keep quiet… I know what happened… and I’ll show all of you! 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hm… I suppose we should at least listen to what he has to say… 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} And hopefully it’ll be more useful than his usual contributions!

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} You know that smiling doesn’t make it any less hurtful right?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} … 

 

We definitely should listen to Kenji’s theory… even though he completely ignored Shinto’s attempt at a confession. 

 

I guess that I should sit back and see how this pans out for now…

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS



{Truth Bullets : Monokuma File #3 & 4, Crime scene notes, Tadao’s clothes shoes, Mysterious letter,  }

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckx2nvp8L3g&t )

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Well done Hayato on figuring everything out… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} But now it’s my turn to fucking play!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} H-hey! Maybe we should continue without hearing what Kenji-kun has to say!

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} It’s nothing against you… само си мало глуп!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Screw you… I’ll say my piece whether you want it or not! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… it appears we have no choice… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Y’all are still stumped about Shinto’s motive right? 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} I suppose his intentions are still unknown to us… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} After all, there was nothing at the crime scene that indicates it!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Well, here’s what I think happened… turns out Tadao killed Yoko in the waterbath!

 

Kenji: {Furious} But then! Shinto witnessed the scene and killed him in revenge!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Boom… just cracked the case and found out who killed Yoko as well! 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Go ahead… tell me that this isn’t motive enough … I dare you !  

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… cute.

 

Did Shinto kill Tadao out of revenge for Yoko’s life…? Something about that sounds wrong… 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Crime scene notes → Tadao killed Yoko in the waterbath 

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 )

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I’m sorry Kenji… but that’s just impossible… 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} WHAT!? But I really thought it through this time!!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} *Sigh* Alas… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Tadao died before Yoko… which means that there’s no way that your theory makes in sort of logical sense… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Y-Yeah… I knew that! 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I can understand that you’re stupid… that much isn’t your fault… but at least learn from your mistakes dammit!

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} I’ll… I’ll just keep quiet. 

 

Sorry Kenji… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} All joking aside… we now that revenge wasn’t Shinto’s motive… so what was it?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Can I speak now? 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} P-Please do… Sh-Shinto… 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} Very well… I guess I should explain to you why I did what I did… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} And finally… we find out the killer’s motive. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, stern expression} I wouldn’t say motive… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Y-You wouldn’t!? Why not?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Because… {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Because I didn’t kill him. 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0)

 

Jessie: {Shocked}  QUOI!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} This… again?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I thought you were done lying… 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} Correct… what I’m about to tell you is the truth… 100%. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I did some things which I’m not proud of… but I am no killer. 

 

Did I get the killer wrong… again?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Ggh… I thought we were close to finishing this man… 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Twist and turns baby! That’s what the class trial is all about!

 

Kenji: {Furious} You can’t be fucking serious!!! If you’re not the killer than how do you explain all the shit that Hayato’s brought up?

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} That’s because I didn’t kill him… but I did stab him with the sword. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Wh-what!?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I’m… I’m so confused man… 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, stern expression} Then please… let me explain. 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Yet another emotional justification thing… can’t we just get this over with already?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Quiet, you. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Ugh… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} It started yesterday morning… with a letter. 

 

{Black and white frame of Shinto leaning against a wall, he looks intensely at a crumpled up piece of paper} 

 

Shinto: Yeah… a letter. I found it in my room after breakfast… 

 

Oriana: Wh-What… what did it s-say?

 

Shinto: I remember it… exactly, how could I forget. 

 

{Close-up on the letter, it reads : “Meet me at the waterbath at 3:00 AM sharp, don’t be late if you don’t want Yoko to be in danger”

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} The letter… threatened you!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I didn’t know if it was a threat or a warning… but either way, I couldn’t take the risk… and so I went to the meeting point at 3:00. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Hold up… a letter? That sounds like some classic Raiko shit!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Right… but of course, it’s hard to write a letter when both your arms are restrained isn’t it?

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} O-Of course… I’ll stay quiet. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} A threatening letter huh…? But why…? and from whom?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Shinto-kun! What happened next!?

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} You might find it hard to believe… but when I got to the waterbath… I found him. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} You… found him?

 

Shinto: {Looks down} Y-Yes… and he was… he uh… was… 

 

{Frame of the scene, Shinto’s covering his mouth with his hand. In the foreground, Tadao can be seen hanged by one of the automated ceiling’s ropes, his body suspended a few feet above ground} 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0)

 

Shinto: He was already dead… he’d been hung!

 

Kôzuke: WHAT!!?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The victim… was hung? 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} There… there’s simply no way man! 

 

Oriana: {Cries} B-B-But!!! I thought he uh… he’d b-been s-stabbed to death!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hm… I suppose it would coincide with the neck wounds we’ve identified on the victim… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yes… especially since the Monokuma File didn’t actually give us a cause of death…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Wait… you’re believing this shit?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Kenji-kun?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I don’t remember you having a problem when you were clamoring for your innocence an hour ago… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Th-This… this is fucking different! 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} So much for keeping quiet… 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} A stupid letter… that I’m guessing you can’t show us… quite conveniently so!

 

Kenji: {Furious} And now that we proved that you stabbed him, you’re telling us that this ain’t how he died!!? I’m finding that really hard to believe hotshot! 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I’m… I’m telling the truth… and in fact, I’m still not done with my exposition of facts… 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Hm… truth is I also find what you are saying quite hard to believe. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You too? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} The victim was hanged to death…? And you received a threatening letter? That sounds awfully conspicuous to me. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I guess it’d be a whole lot easier if you could prove that this note you’re talking about really exists… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} B-But… I’m not lying!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Where is it now…? 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} I… I threw it away.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Dat ass flott! We can just go and look through the trash right? 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} DENIED!

 

Oriana: Wh-What!?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} The trash cans in the resort are emptied and everything is recycled twice a day. 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Littering… that’s the real crime!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Says the genocidal murder bear… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} So… is there no trace of this letter left anywhere?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’m afraid not… but I swear I’m telling the truth… I really received that letter!

 

Kenji: {Furious} And I’m afraid we can’t believe you! You’re only telling the lies of a fucking murderer! 

 

Shinto: {Clenched, resentful expression} Wh-Why… why won’t you believe me!?

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of nis nose} Sucks don’t it…? Sorry bro but that’s what happens when you’re the main suspect… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} But if you’re really telling the truth… then it’ll come out eventually. 

 

We won’t get any further with his testimony if we can’t clear this… is Shinto lying about the letter… and the condition of the body?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Is… there no way to prove that he’s telling the truth?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Actually… I think there is.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What are you talking about…?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} I think that it’s time for me to show you my trump card… 

 

That smile… what does she know?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} T-Trump card…?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Let’s say that I found something… a piece of evidence which I’ve been holding on to until I deemed appropriate to unveil it. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’ve been… withholding evidence from us?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Give me a break! This wasn’t done with malicious intent… I was just trying to understand what it meant. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} And now… I think I do. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Raiko-chan… what is it you mean?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Just show it to us… now! 

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Very well. 

 

{Close-up on Raiko’s hands, she unfolds a crumpled piece of paper}  

 

Raiko: Here’s what I found in Yoko’s room… in her bedside drawer. 

 

Hayato: This l-letter… 

 

Raiko: I’ll read it out loud for those who can’t see it… it says: 

 

Raiko: “Meet me at the waterbath at 3:05 AM sharp, don’t be late if you don’t want Shinto to be in danger”

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} WHAT!? But how is that possible!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} This… can’t be a coincidence can it? 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} The l-letters are… identical?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Not quite. The time is different on the second one… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Shinto’s letter read 3:00 while Yoko’s is 3:05…? Why could that be?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Wait, how do we know that Raiko didn’t forge this completely!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s… a fair question. We can’t take this as proof until we know that this letter is authentic. 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Ugh… seriously? If this isn’t the real deal then how else do you pretend that I got a letter with the exact same message as Shinto’s… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You two could have conferred about it… right?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I locked myself in my room from the moment that the bodies were discovered up to when Hayato came to look for me… I find it hard to believe that I could have conferred with her. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes, that argument stands… but we need something more concrete in order to accept the letters as fact. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Why… can’t you believe us?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Welcome to doubt club my friend. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} … 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Hayato? Have you got something?

 

That handwriting… I’ve seen it somewhere before… but I can’t quite put my finger on where that could be… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… 

 

I think they know that I’m onto something. 

 

Alright, better just gamble on this and see what happens. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I can prove that this letter is real… thanks to the evidence. 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} Really?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You have evidence for this…? How is that even possible considering that we didn’t even know of the letters’ existence until a few minutes ago…!?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} That does seem rather complex… are you sure that you have sufficient evidence to make this claim?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Well… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Think this through Hayato… don’t make a mistake now of all times. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well… it’s true that I don’t have any evidence that directly relates to those letters… but I think that I can prove that neither Raiko nor Shinto wrote those letters… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} And this piece of evidence will prove beyond the shadow of a doubt who it is that wrote them!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hm… if that’s the case then show us what you’ve got… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} This better not be some more bullshit… 

 

The piece of evidence that could be used to prove who wrote this letter… it’s this: 



SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Mysterious letter

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8)

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Mhm, I knew this handwriting looked familiar… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} You’ve seen it before!? May I ask where that was…?

 

{Close-up on the piece of paper found on Tadao’s desk} 

 

Hayato: I found this in Tadao’s room along with a bunch of other sheets of paper… and if you look closely… 

 

{Side by side comparison of the letter to Yoko and this letter} 

 

Hayato: The handwriting on both of letters is almost identical!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} H-Hey, that’s true man!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I’m no graphologist… but I have to admit that the handwriting does look quite similar. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} S-So… this letter and the one R-Raiko gave us… uh… they’ve been written by the same person? 

 

Hayato: Yes… more precisely {Determined} They’ve been written by Tadao!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Tadao-kun!?

 

Fusume: {Confident} That does seem most logical… if the other papers were found in Tadao’s room, we can assume that he’s their author. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Wait a second… what the hell is that letter all about? 

 

{Close-up on Tadao’s letter} 

 

K.M is the key” 

 

“I DID NOT KILL HER, NEITHER DID THE AUTHENTIC”

 

Kenji: What the hell is K.M? And what the hell is he talking about!?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} The object of that letter… is quite troubling. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} K.M… is that one of our initials maybe?

 

Reijiro: No, that is not it… it must be something else. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} At least we know he didn’t kill Yoko-chan right…!? 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} No… Tadao died before Yoko, he can’t be talking about her… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} But then who!? Who did he not kill?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… you presented this to us. Do you know more?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Yeah no… I don’t really know what it means yet. 

 

It really is quite mysterious… we don’t know what K.M represents… we don’t know who he’s talking about and we don’t know who “the authentic” is… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Truth be told, there are just too many unknowns in the contents of this letter… I think we can get back to it when we’ve figured out some more… 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} What really matters at the moment is the fact that this scrap of paper proves that Tadao wrote the letter that Raiko’s shown us… 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} And the fact that its content is almost identical to Shinto’s… I suppose that he really did get that letter. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} As I’ve been telling you… I only did what I did… because of that stupid letter. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I just don’t fucking get it… Why did Tadao write those letters to you!? And how does that link with the murders!?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, stern expression} Maybe if you’d let me finish my story then perhaps you’d understand. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… then please do continue!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Sorry for doubting you… Shinto-kun… 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} As I said… I went to the meeting at 3:00 sharp and found Tadao hanging there… I didn’t understand what it meant at first… 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Why was a dead body there…? Had I been tricked into going to the crime scene in order for the true culprit to frame me?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} It just didn’t make any sense… but then… that’s when it hit me. 

 

Fusume: {Softly} What hit you…?

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} I didn’t want to believe it… but I couldn’t think of an alternative. 

 

Oh no… where is this going?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} If Tadao was in the waterbath this late at night… he must have been the one who summoned me here… but he threatened Yoko’s life and then he died…

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You can’t be saying… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoh-Z_TS_xE )

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} I thought to myself… what if Yoko killed him?

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} N-No way… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Yoko… killed him?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} It was the only thing that made sense to me… I didn’t want to believe it but then I started to understand that she must have had a good reason! 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} How so?

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} I don’t know! Self defense or something like that… my Yoko wouldn’t have committed murder… not without a valid reason! 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} This… certainly is a good twist… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare}  Hold on a second… where does the stabbing happen in this timeline?

 

Oriana: {Shy look} R-Right… y-you haven’t gotten t-to that part y-yet!

 

Shinto: It’s simple… if Yoko really had done it… then I couldn’t let her take the fall for it. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} N-No… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You wouldn’t… 

 

Shinto: {Angry tears} I ran back to the infirmary… I grabbed the sword and I stabbed him without a second thought! 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} But… pourquoi !?

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} I couldn’t let her fall for this crime… it wasn’t her fault afterall… a murder had been committed which meant that it was blackened VS spotless once again. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} And I chose the side of the blackened!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Don’t tell me… that you were trying to frame yourself!

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, stern expression} Don’t look at me like that… you did it once before already! The only difference was that my intentions were good!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Shinto… y-you do realise that if you’d done that… and we had voted for you then we would have all died… you included

 

Shinto: {Grabs chest tightly, crazed} I am well aware… but that was the price to pay for Yoko’s survival… I’m sorry everyone… I had no choice!

 

This… this is insane!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You stabbed an already dead body… only to cast suspicions on yourself?

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} I remember it perfectly… despite the motive… and that’s exactly what I did!

 

Hayato: Despite the motive… I didn’t think that anybody was affected by the motive last night… 

 

Shinto: {Grabs chest tightly, crazed} Well… I know that I was… I was hallucinating alright!

 

Hikari: {Sad} H-Hallucinating!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Right before I stabbed him… I realised that the emotions motive was in effect… I saw… I saw a giant moth on his chest!

 

Oriana: {Cries} A m-moth!?

 

Shinto: There wasn’t much light in the corridor… but it glowed in the dark… a huge moth… bigger than I’d ever seen. 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} It was my fear of bugs… coming to bite me in  the ass once more… I was about to do… what I had to do to save the love of my life… 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} But this giant white moth was crawling on his chest… staring at me!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} This is… getting crazier by the second. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} There are no giant glowing insects in this place… he definitely must have been hallucinating! 

 

Shinto: {Looks down} I know you won’t believe me… but it happened alright. I know what I saw… 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} And so I tightened my grip on the sword… I closed my eyes and I stabbed him. 

 

Shinto: {Looks down} I did… what I had to. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} This… this is truly fucked up bro. 


Shinto: {Grabs chest tightly, crazed} That’s what true love does to you… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} And then… what did you do?

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} I didn’t bother with cleaning the sword… I was going to come out with the whole thing in the morning anyways… but since I was suffering from the motive I thought I might as well go to sleep first. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} So you put the sword back on its stand… before leaving the room again?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Yeah… no matter the fact that I was confident in my motives… I’d still done a pretty horrible thing… and I couldn’t sleep with all the blood on my clothes… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} So I went to the men’s bathroom to clean myself up. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} And that’s when Kôzuke woke up and switched the swords… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It all makes sense with the current timeline… 

 

And yet… there are many odd things with his account… not just this insect thing. 

 

Truth is this is quite troubling, it raises more inconsistencies than I can count… 

 

I have no choice but to keep it in mind for now. 

 

{SHINTO’S REAL ACCOUNT added to truth bullets} 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} I’m really sorry everyone… I was ready to sacrifice everyone’s life for her… 

 

Shinto: {Angry tears} And in the end… the only one who died… o-oh god… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I suppose that is the reason you did not end up coming out with it all… 

 

Shinto: {Looks down} Correct… once I found out that she… she had been murdered… there was no point in me lying… 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} And so I kept quiet in order to catch the true killer… and make them pay. 

 

Poor Shinto… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It appears that this is a recurring theme in this case… you three boys all had an understandable motive for your actions… and yet you couldn’t come out with it because of the double murder… 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} … 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} … 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} And yet… neither of them’s the murderer… with so much outside involvement, no wonder this case is so convoluted. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Yoko’s the killer huh…? 


Shinto: {Angry tears} I… I d-don’t want to believe it! I… I had no choice! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I guess that would only be the case if Tadao really died by hanging. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Death by hanging with one of the ropes in the waterbath’s ceiling does match the injuries we found on his neck… it’s definitely a strong possibility. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And so… it appears we’ve figured out the identity of one of the murderers… Yoko… killed Tadao?

 

Is that really it…? We don’t have any proof behind this other than Shinto’s testimony… I need to think it through-

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Nah, I don’t buy it. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Raiko-chan!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Wh-What don’t you b-buy?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I don’t think Yoko killed anybody… it just doesn’t make any sense with what we’ve established so far. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} It… doesn’t?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Could it be…? Please… please tell me that I was wrong! 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} I hope that you have proof to back this up… 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Evidence… nah, I’ve got nothing. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth}Then… what are you talking about!?

 

Raiko: It’s a gut feeling… which could explain how Tadao really died. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} We don’t give a fuck about your gut! If you want us to believe you then you better have some fucking proof. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Hayato… you know what I’m talking about right!

 

Hayato: M-Me?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} If Yoko really had killed him… in fact, doesn’t even matter who it was… would they really have murdered him in this way?

 

In this way?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Think about it… the conditions of his death… and the condition of the crime scene.

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Think it through and the answer will be clear. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} What’s going on… je suis perdue!

 

Would the murderer…?

 

I don’t get it… Raiko’s trying to tell me something here… but what?

 

Weirdly enough, I guess she and I have been on the same wavelength during this trial… she’s being oddly helpful this time around… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} … 

 

Whatever it is she’s trying to tell me, I think that it’s crucial. 

 

I need to think it through… Tadao’s real cause of death… that’s the answer behind this whole trial isn’t it?

 

Come on Hayato… use your brain for god’s sake! 

 

Think… think!

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csp8A4G7y-c

 

Question: How did Tadao really die? 

 

-----

 

I D E H A N G C S U I G I B Y N 

 

===

 

… 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : S U I C I D E  B Y H A N G I N G

 

===

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Tadao… hanged himself. 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} What did you say!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You… you think that-

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s right! I believe that Tadao’s death was actually suicide! 

 

Oriana: {Cries} K-KYAAH!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Why… why would Tadao-kun commit suicide!? 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} But… if that’s the case… it means that Yoko was innocent?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Raiko… is this what you were alluding to?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Yeah… it does seem pretty logical that this is what happened. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Logical…? How the fuck is that logical?

 

Kenji: {Furious} You’re just trying to lie again aren’t you Raiko?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} …!?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} We all know you wanted to see Caspian die… you’ve made that very clear for us… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} It can’t be a coincidence that he’s now dead!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Kenji… that’s not really the concern right at this moment. 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the ground} R-Right sorry… I just don’t see the logic in this whole thing. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Well, let’s see-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Not only is this illogical, it is also factually impossible.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Reijiro…?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} This is nonsensical… the victim committing suicide is not even imaginable. 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Is that so…? Why do you say that Reijiro…?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Seriously? It is only child play… {Step back, distraught} Um… I mean… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I shall explain why suicide is simply impossible. 

 

I guess I’ll have to see what he objects… but I’m actually pretty certain of what I’m saying… 

 

I’ll have to break his argument down!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXSH3q8F96E)

 

{Truth Bullets : Monokuma File inconsistencies, Shinto’s real account, Rule #13, Automated Ceiling, Ventilation System}

 

Reijiro: {Smug} This suicide allegation truly came out of nowhere… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} But in reality… there is no evidence that supports this claim! 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We are dealing with a murder… otherwise there would be no trial!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} That’s not necessarily true… Monokuma did tell us early on in the game that suicide would also lead to a trial.

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Our goal only to find the truth no matter the circumstance… is it not? 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical}  Подожди секунду… was it even possible for Tadao-kun to hang himself…?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I’m not sure that this was the most practical way to go about it 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} If we’re talking about practicality… murdering someone by hanging them isn’t too high on that scale either… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I guess the alternative that remains… is that Shinto’s a fucking liar!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I th-thought that w-we’d cleared th-that up!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} We know that Shinto’s telling the truth about the letter… but not about the hanged body man! 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I’m not lying… 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} But despite how much I’d like to believe what you say… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Judging by the condition of the body when I saw it… there was no way for Tadao to die without outside help! 

 

===

 

They do have a point… I haven’t provided any evidence to back my claim yet… all I need is some sort of proof that Tadao could have killed himself without anybody else’s involvement… 

 

 

 



SOLUTION : Automated Ceiling → no evidence that supports this claim!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0

 

Hayato: {Grinning} No Reijiro… that’s not exactly true. 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Mmph… you say that I am wrong?  

 

Hayato: {Determined} Yes! There actually is evidence that backs up the suicide theory! 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} … Go on. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} There’s an aspect of the crime scene that simply made no sense to me… until now! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} And what may that be?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The control panel on both sides of the waterbath corridor contained levers that opened up the ceiling and dropped down three ropes. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Tadao was hanged by one them… what about it?

 

{2D Diagram of the ropes}

 

Hayato: I just couldn’t wrap my head around those ropes… they had to be related to the crime… but how?

 

Kôzuke: I’m gonna guess that you figured it out now?

 

Hayato: I think that I did. 

 

Hayato: As a reminder, the first rope had a foldable chair tied on its extremity, the second was tied in a noose and the third one was covered in dust.  

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} I believe these ropes were used by Tadao to set up his own death!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} How!? May I remind you that all three ropes were put back into the ceiling by the time we found the bodies!

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Shinto, did you have anything to do with those?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} No… when I found Tadao, only the middle rope had been activated, I didn’t see the other two.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That means… that somebody had to untie Tadao’s body from the noose and put the rope back in the ceiling after Shinto left… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Th-That’s… another u-unknown… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} That still does not explain how you pretend that the victim hang himself… 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Unless… you mean to say that he used that chair… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} That’s exactly it! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} He hang himself using the chair!?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} That is the way most people kill themselves via hanging… tighten the noose around your neck… walk up a chair and then kick the chair away. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} The foldable chair… was used to assist in the suicide?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} But why was it even tied to one of those ropes man…? if he just used it to prop himself up… then why attach it like that?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} And more importantly, how did the chair end up in the ceiling… he couldn’t have retracted it himself considering that he was… dead.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It is quite perplexing yes… but I think I’ve got the answer. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Right… so he was helped by someone.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} No Reijiro, he could have gotten rid of the chair without any outside help!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Nonsense!

 

Hayato: {Determined} All he need to use… was this!

 

{The chair itself/The piece of nylon/Something else}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: The piece of nylon

 

===

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} It was easy to miss it… but there was a thin string of nylon on the edge of the chair. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Nylon… as in the same type as the one Yoshi used last time around?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Yes… there is a large supply of it in the gym’s storage room… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} So… that piece of string was used by the victim…? How so?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Believe it or not but that piece of nylon actually allowed Tadao to go through with the whole suicide without any outside help. 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} As previously mentioned… that is impossible. For the rope to have been retracted in the ceiling, somebody had to pull down on the lever after his death… and the victim could not have done that himself. 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Except that he actually could!

 

Kôzuke: {Pale} He used the lever… after his death? 

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaaah! Zombies!!!!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} N-No… that’s not what I said.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Then when do you propose he could have done it?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well… thanks to the nylon, I think he could have pulled on the lever… {Determined} Right as he died!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What!?

 

Hayato: Picture this… 

 

{2D Diagram of the waterbath, Tadaois standing on the chair with rope #2 around his neck, rope #1 is tied to the chair}

 

Hayato: Here’s what I think happened… Tadao tied the chair to rope #1 and prepared to hang himself with rope #2.

 

Hayato: However, he used the thin nylon string to tie the chair to the lever for rope #1

 

{Line between the lever and the chair is highlighted}

 

Jessie: He tied the two together…?

 

Fusume: That does seem plausible… the nylon line was long enough for that. 

 

Oriana: B-but… why would he do that?

 

Hayato: It’s fairly simple… as Raiko just said, the traditional way to hang oneself is to “kick” the chair… but in this case, if he kicked it with enough strength… 

 

Hayato: The string would pull down on the lever in one fell swoop!

 

{Reenactment of the “kick”, as the lever is pulled, the chair is quickly retracted towards the ceiling and Tadao is effectively hanged}

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} And that’s how Tadao used that string to get rid of the chair at the exact moment he died!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} … 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But… why exactly would he do that? 

 

He went through that complex set up to make the chair that helped him commit suicide disappear… taking that into account as well as the letters he sent to Shinto and Yoko… there’s only one possibility.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I think that Tadao didn’t want us to think that he had killed himself. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} And instead, he tried to make us believe that one of us had killed him!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Why… why would he do that?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Ggh!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Tadao!? What are you doing here?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Shouldn’t you be at the restaurant with everyone else?

 

Tadao: {Scared} I… I… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Tadao!

 

Tadao: {Sombre} … 

 

What’s up with him? 

 

Tadao: {Scared} F-Forgive me {Leaves} 

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I… I d-don’t know what pushed him to do such a thing… nor what pushed him to suicide. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} But there was something up with him… on the day of the accident he wasn’t acted like himself. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I can second that… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I still don’t know the details… but I’m sure of it! Tadao wrote those letters to Shinto and Yoko and then killed himself!

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} … I was tricked?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Are you saying he wrote those letters to make them think that the other had done it…? Because if so… that’s fucked up. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Says you. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} As horrible as it sounds… I suppose that this makes sense… the evidence seems to coincide with it at least. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} S-Suicide… no… I don’t want to consider it… 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I can’t believe that he tried to play us like that… but if it means that Yoko was innocent then I’m okay with it. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Okay with it!? You can’t mean that!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Tadao-kun… killed himself!? There’s no way!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Sorry Jessie, but you can’t dismiss it just because it’s sad… it actually does appear plausible

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Despite how tragic this is… and how horrible his motives must have been. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} For one to take their own life… he must have been really troubled. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} It is not just tragic… it is impossible!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} It is…? Doesn’t the automatic ceiling fix the issues you had?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Nah, I’m with Reijiro… this seems fishy as fuck!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Fishy you say…? You better have some proof to back that statement.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} You are the one making the outlandish statements… you should be the ones with proof.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} And Hayato’s just produced some… if you don’t believe it then it’s your turn to do so!

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} It’s either that or you simply man up and accept that you were wrong… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} The fuck did you just say?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Stop it right there!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Huh?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Since when are we not allowed to argue!? I thought that was the sole principle of this fuckfest!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Of course… you’re allowed to do so… but now’s the time for me to introduce the perfect media for such arguing. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} The scrum debate… 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I see that you learn fast upupu… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} You lot are split down the middle on a pretty crucial topic… I think it’s time we settle that score. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} There is no score to settle… simply foolish ideas that need to be crushed. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Foolish huh? We’ll see about that. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Guys… let’s not argue too much alright… keep it friendly. 

 

Jessie: But you guys are definitely wrong and we’ll show you just that…! Peacefully, of course. 

 

It’s time for yet another scrum debate… I have to follow my gut and get our point across. 

 

Tadao’s death is crucial in this case… and we need to prove that it was indeed suicide. 

 

I haven’t lost one of those yet… and I don’t intend to do so now!

 

(Music:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUvQ5RlFV6A )

 

{Scrum Debate: Start} 

 

Tadao was murdered 

 

Kenji: … 

 

Oriana: … 

 

Reijiro: … 

 

Kôzuke: … 

 

Jessie: … 

 

Kenji: … 

 

Kôzuke: … 

 

Reijiro: … 

 

Tadao committed suicide

 

Fusume: ASSISTANCE

 

Raiko: SHINTO

 

Hayato: CONTROL PANEL

 

Hikari: SUICIDAL

 

Hikari: NOTE

 

Hayato: NONSENSE

 

Fusume: DIFFERENT

Shinto: CHAIR



 

Kenji: Let’s start with the obvious, Tadao clearly wasn’t suicidal!

 

Oriana: I… I’m n-not sure what you m-mean… I d-didn’t see him acting any d-different. 

 

Reijiro: Realistically, your explanation about the disposal of the chair is flimsy and unrealistic. 

 

Kôzuke: Are we supposed to just believe that he relied on the control panel for his entire plan? 

 

Jessie: If he really had… done it. Wouldn’t he have left a note of some sort?

 

Kenji: Also, the only source we have is Shinto… and he could be making all of this shit up to save his own ass!  

 

Kôzuke: I’d be okay with the whole suicide thing man… but the fact that he did it with zero assistance, that seems impossible!

 

Reijiro: Impossible is the right term… or perhaps you can just say that this whole theory is nothing but nonsense

 

{Scrum Debate : End}

 

 

 

 

Answer:

 

Kenji: SUICIDAL

 

Oriana: DIFFERENT

 

Reijiro: CHAIR

 

Kôzuke: CONTROL PANEL

 

Jessie: NOTE

 

Kenji: SHINTO

 

Kôzuke: ASSISTANCE

 

Reijiro: NONSENSE

 

===

 

Kenji: Let’s start with the obvious, Tadao clearly wasn’t suicidal!

 

Hikari: Wait a second, there’s no way you could just tell if somebody was suicidal




Oriana: I… I’m n-not sure what you m-mean… I d-didn’t see him acting any d-different

 

Fusume: Actually… he did act different, his entire boisterous persona was gone when we saw him yesterday. 




Reijiro: Realistically, your explanation about the disposal of the chair is flimsy and unrealistic. 

 

Shinto: It’s far fetched, sure… but I can’t think of another reason for that chair to have been tied up there! 




Kôzuke: Are we supposed to just believe that he relied on the control panel for his entire plan? 

 

Hayato: Why not? The control panel was easily accessible from both wings and it made his complex plan possible! 




Jessie: If he really had… done it. Wouldn’t he have left a note of some sort?

 

Hikari: I think he did leave a suicide note in the form of those letters he sent to the couple as well as the one we found on his desk! 




Kenji: Also, the only source we have is Shinto… and he could be making all of this shit up to save his own ass!  

 

Raiko: Yeah no… Shinto’s account coincides with the evidence and our recollection of events, he’s not lying about this!




Kôzuke: I’d be okay with the whole suicide thing man… but the fact that he did it with zero assistance, that seems impossible!

 

Fusume: Thanks to the levers he could have done it without assistance…  he have could killed himself and gotten rid of the chair in one single motion! 




Reijiro: Impossible is the right term… or perhaps you can just say that this whole theory is nothing but nonsense.

 

Hayato: This isn’t nonsense! It’s actually makes much more sense than somebody murdering him that way if you really think about it!  

 

{BREAK} 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 )

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I simply cannot believe that somebody would have murdered him via hanging… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Both in terms of practicality and feasibility… the only one who could have killed Tadao this way is Tadao himself!

 

 

Jessie: {Wiping tears} It’s just… so sad…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} … 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the ground} Was he really… pushed to do such a thing…? Poor lad.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Fine. 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} We may entertain the possibility… but you still have not proved it.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We haven’t?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} No, what you just did was showing us that the idea was not as ridiculous as I originally thought… but that is not proof is it.

 

He wants more…? 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Dammit, Reijiro… can’t you just accept it and move on?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} No, he’s right. 

 

Hayato: Raiko…?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} He’s not right in doubting us… but he’s right in being thorough… we cannot leave any room for uncertainty in a place like this! 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I appreciate the validation. 

 

Ugh… they’ve got a point. I know I’m right with this… but realistically there should be some way to prove it! 

 

I can’t expect them to accept this without sufficient evidence… I’d be the same if the roles were swapped. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Okay then… you want me to prove this to you?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} If you had concrete shit to back it up… that would defo help us believe you. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Very well… let’s see what we can do to change your mind. 

 

Let’s do it… time to prove this once and for all!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t )

 

{Truth Bullets : Monokuma File inconsistencies, Tadao’s clothes and Shoes, Automated Ceiling, Golden Katana, Emotions motive}

 

Reijiro: {Smug} In its current state… I simply cannot validate your suicide theory… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’m telling you… Tadao definitely was hanged to death… and if that’s the case, it’s gotta be suicide! 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I mean… thanks for the input bro… but that ain’t no evidence! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Alright, it’s evidence you seek… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Well… perhaps  there was something else in his room that indicates that he was going to do this… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Or maybe there was some sort of proof at the crime scene itself?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Nah, if there was evidence there… whoever untied his body from the rope probably hid it

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-But… if the evidence was hidden… then how do we p-prove this?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Well, well well… I guess you simply cannot prove it in that case! 

 



===

 

 



SOLUTION : Tadao’s clothes and shoes → some sort of proof at the crime scene itself?

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Kôzuke} YEAH, YOU’RE RIGHT! 

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34

 

Hayato: {Determined} Kôzuke’s got it completely right! There was indeed proof at the crime scene!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I got it right…? D-Dope!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} And what exactly are you talking about?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I’m talking about Tadao’s shoes of course. 

 

Oriana: H-His shoes?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} One of the dead ends we’ve encountered earlier on was the killer’s motive for taking Tadao’s shoes off… but if Tadao killed himself then this whole thing changes doesn’t it?

 

Fusume: {Shocked, hand on belt} Oh my… you mean to say?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} He… he took them off himself?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Wait, guys… I’m confused here. Why are you all making that face?


Raiko: {Bites lip} In the japanese culture, it’s tradition for one to take their shoes off before committing suicide… in order not to “bring dirt” in the afterworld and whatnot. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Wh-What!? Really?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah… it’s one of those old school customs… you’re saying that’s why his shoes were off?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Well, you’re the one who told us that his shoes were off… and I can’t think of another reason for someone to remove them from him… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Guess so, that would also explain why they were positioned so neatly on the floor… no murderer would be this attentive to that sorta detail. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} … 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Those dry shoes… I’d say that they’re proof enough. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Sure, why not?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Reijiro… have we convinced you?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Yeah… as I have just said. I am ready to accept that this is indeed quite likely. 

 

Finally!! 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Alright! That means that everybody’s on board. 

 

Kenji: {Mumbles} Yeah… all on board the suicide train… yeehaw. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What was that?

 

I’ve finally convinced everyone… as painful as it is to think that Tadao could have done something like that to himself… I honestly think that Shinto’s telling the truth. 

 

And if that settles it for Tadao’s death… we now need to focus on what happened to Yoko… and how it’s all connected.

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} Alright man… what next!?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Now wait a second. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I did say that I accepted your theory… but now we need to fix the remaining inconsistencies. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Inconsistencies?

 

Reijiro: Correct, even if this “suicide” timeline is the best we appear to have… there are still some discrepancies that need to be dealt with. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Discrepancies huh? Show me what you’ve got. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Before that, quick question… I know we’d established that Kenji must have seen the body and triggered the BDA… so now that we know that there is no blackened for Tadao’s murder… who are the other two people who saw it?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} We know that Shinto saw it… and the third person, well it’s gotta be Yoko. 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} … 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Judging by those letters he sent… it’s pretty much impossible that Yoko didn’t go to the waterbath at the convened meeting time. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Right… Shinto, Yoko and Kenji in that order… makes sense got it. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… glad that this matter is settled, there is the problem of who untied the victim’s body and retracted rope #2. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes, I was wondering when you would bring that up. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I know that I didn’t do it… I left Tadao quite literally hanging after I stabbed his body. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Which means that somebody else had to have done it after I’d left!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} S-S-Somebody… b-but who?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} If I can add my grain of salt to this mess… Tadao was on the floor when I found him. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Which means that whoever untied the body had to have done it before 3:45!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Shinto left some time after 3:00 and Kenji arrived at 3:45… which means our mystery person had to do their thing in that 40ish minutes time frame. 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} If that’s the case… then there’s only one person who it could have been. 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Is that so? 

 

The person who cleaned up all traces of Tadao’s suicide was in the waterbath between 3:00 and 3:45? Then there’s only one of us that comes to mind

 

{CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT} 

 

 

 

 

Answer: Yoko

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU )

 

Hayato: It was Yoko… Yoko’s the only one who could have untied the body. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Y-Yoko?

 

Oriana: H-How can you uh… know that for sure?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It’s simply a process of elimination… we can cross out Shinto and Kenji because of their already discussed involvement, Reijiro was unconscious, Kôzuke was on the girl’s side and I couldn’t have left the isolation room. 

 

Hayato: Then, on the girl’s side… I believe Hikari was very clear that only Yoko went towards the waterbath last night… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Which means that Yoko’s the only one who logically could have done it! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hm… she must have done it upon getting to her meeting with Tadao. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} She saw the victim’s hanged body… and took him down. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} But… why would she do that? There was no reason for her to get involved?

 

Poor Shinto… I don’t think he gets it. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Shinto… there was a very good reason for her to do what she did. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Oh yeah and what was that?

 

Hayato: Yoko’s reason for taking Tadao’s body down was: 

 

{To hide her involvement/To protect herself/To protect Shinto}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: To protect Shinto

 

===

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} She did it for the exact same reason that you did Shinto… she wanted to protect you!

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} Protect me!?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Oh god… 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} When you stumbled on Tadao’s body… you immediately assumed that Yoko had killed him and then stabbed him to take the blame off her… right?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Yeah, that’s what I said. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Now imagine the scene in reverse. You’ve left the waterbath… and Yoko comes upon Tadao’s hanged and stabbed body… and because of that letter, she assumed that you had something to do with it. 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} Me…? But I’d never… 

 

Hayato: I know you wouldn’t… but she doubted it… for the exact same reason that you did!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And so she took down the body in order to modify the state of the crime scene… and get the blame off Shinto?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Yes, that’s the way that I see it. 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} Ngh… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But… why did she stop there? Just untying the body doesn’t really change much to the situation does it?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} If Shinto-kun was the killer… what she did wouldn’t have been enough. 

 

Shinto: {Looks down} … 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Hayato. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Y-Yes?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You’ve now got all the elements required to solve the case. 

 

I… I do?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Does that mean that you’ve figured it out Raiko?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Maybe…but I want Hayato to think this one through for himself.

 

Kenji: {Furious} What!? If you know the truth then tell us!!! I thought you were gonna be helpful this time around!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} This is me being helpful… trust me. 

 

 

I have enough to solve this? But how? I’m still missing so much info… and I still don’t know how or why Yoko was killed?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Just think of the one element… that doesn’t make sense. 

 

Raiko: You’ll figure it out. 

 

The one element that doesn’t make sense?

 

What does that even mean?

 

Raiko… what are you trying to tell me?

 

… 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Heh… I’m going to guess from Hayato’s face that he doesn’t know what Raiko’s talking about. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Let’s brainstorm all together on what this detail could be!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Brainstorm… I can do that!

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Let’s work together people!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Thanks guys… 

 

At least these guys have my back. 

 

I should let them speak… and see what comes up, maybe that’ll be enough. 

 

The element… that doesn’t make sense?

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t

 

{Truth Bullets : Shinto’s real account, Kenji’s account, Monokuma’s account, Monokuma File inconsistencies, Emotions Motive } 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} We’re looking for something that makes no sense right?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Then maybe we should talk about Tadao’s motives for suicide… he went from being fine to committing suicide in a day  !

 

Kenji: Something’s gotta be up with that!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} What about Shinto-kun’s hallucination!? That’s also a bit etrange wouldn’t you say? 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Meh, it’s probably not that weird… he was hallucinating because of the emotion motive after all

 

Oriana: {Trembles} And p-perhaps we should uh… t-talk about Yoko’s c-cause of death!

 

Fusume: {Confident} That’s an interesting point… she was barely stabbed only a few inches into her throat. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I know my way around such wounds… I don’t think that this one was inflicted purposefully. 

 

Fusume: If the killer really wanted to stab her in the throat… the wound would be deeper!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… was her death the result of a fight that dégénerated?

 

… 

 

They all raise interesting points… but what was Raiko talking about? How is any of this enough for me to solve Yoko’s murder…?

 

I need to think this through very carefully. 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Emotions motive → he was hallucinating because of the emotion motive after all



===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU )

 

Is… is this it?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Raiko… I think I’ve got it. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Is that so…? Then what was I talking about exactly?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} You told me to think about an element that made no sense… and I’ve found it. Something that just shouldn’t exist… and yet still does. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} What are you talking about? 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Shinto’s hallucination… it doesn’t make any sense.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} You mean the giant moth…!? I swear I saw it!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I know it sounds stupid… but I can guarantee that there was a large insect on Tadao’s chest when I saw him… It was still there until right before I stabbed him! I know what I saw dammit! 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I know that you’re convinced about it… but you couldn’t have hallucinated that!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} And why is that?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Not only did nobody except for Shinto claim to have been affected by the emotions motive last night. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} But also, when Shinto claims to have hallucinated, Tadao was already dead… and as Monokuma’s stated numerous times, the motives take an immediate halt when a murder happens. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph, that was indeed demonstrated by the rupture of my fast. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} So Shinto-kun… couldn’t have seen that moth?

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} Guys… I swear I’m not lying. 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I didn’t say that he didn’t see it… I said that he didn’t hallucinate it!

 

Kôzuke: {Pale} So he did actually see a giant insect on the body!? Don’t tell me there’s that sort of shit on this resort!

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I’m not particularly scared of insects… but that does make me nervous! 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} That’s not what I said… you guys gotta stop jumping to conclusions like that. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Then what exactly are you saying? Shinto couldn’t have hallucinated the bug… and at the same time a moth as large as he describes it doesn’t exist… so what did he see?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} He saw something… that he mistook for a bug… 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Well done… you’ve found it. 

 

Hayato: I did… 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} The solution to this case… it’s right there in front of your eyes. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Right… 

 

The solution… lies in what Shinto actually saw? 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Guys, I didn’t make a mistake! I saw a large white moth crawling on his chest! I’m sure of it. 

 

Shinto saw “something”… that looked like a huge moth but that wasn’t actually an insect. 

 

And that should enable me to solve the case? 

 

Oh boy… better rack my brain on this one. 

 

Think Hayato… think dammit! 

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csp8A4G7y-c

 

Question: What did Shinto actually see on Tadao’s chest?

 

-----

 

O K A Y F S N O

 

===

 

… 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Y O K O  S  F A N 

 

===

 

 

 

 

Oh no… no, no,no… this can’ t be. 

 

Raiko: You finally understand. 

 

I… I must have gotten this wrong. The conclusion I’m getting from this… it… it simply can’t be! 

 

I can’t accept it. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} You have to accept the truth Hayato… no matter how upsetting it may be. 

 

No… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What’s going on?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Reveal it Hayato! Reveal the killer’s identity!

 

The killer… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCho8m4Zyc )

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} The killer… you know who killed Yoko?

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} You… you found out who murdered her…? Please tell me that’s true!

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} You’ve gotta expose whoever did it… and bring that person to justice… for Yoko’s sake. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Who’s the motherfucker behind all this… tell us!!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato, you look pale… is everything alright?

 

Yoko’s killer… I know who it is… but-

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Say it… just say it Hayato!

 

I… I… 

 

Hayato: Yoko’s killer… it’s… 

 

There was no chance I’d go for a dramatic finger point in this situation… it was already hard enough to get that name off my tongue. 

 

The name of Yoko’s killer. 

 

The name of the person responsible for this entire case.

 

Hayato: {Defeated} It’s got to be you.

 

{CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT}

 

Hayato: {Defeated} …

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …

 

Fusume: {Hurt} …

 

Kôzuke : {Grasps medals} …

 

Jessie: {Scared} …

 

Kenji: {Furious} …

 

Oriana: {Trembles} …

 

Raiko: {Sincere look}  …

 

Yoshi 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} … 

 

Yoko

 

Kyia  

 

Tadao  

 

Fukami

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

Rina

 

 

Notes:

Looks like Hayato doesn't like what he's about to say... think you understand what's going on and who really killed Yoko? Then leave your theories and predictions in the comments!

Thanks for reading and see you in the next one :)

Chapter 39: Chapter 3 : At the Mercy of our Emotions : Class Trial part 4

Notes:

Here we go, this time we expose Yoko's killer.

Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

… 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0) 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Just fucking tell us bro! Who did this to her dammit?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} … I… I… 

 

Fusume: {Softly} Hayato… you need to tell us. Please, remember that our lives depend on it!

 

I don’t want to… that person… I can’t. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I… this… uh… the killer… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Is the truth really this hard to accept? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} No matter… even if the truth destroys us… we must band together and find the courage to accept it. 

 

It’s… it’s too much to take in at once. 

 

I thought I could do this… I thought I could just expose murderers… but the truth is that I can’t. I’m just a kid dammit… I’m not a detective from one of my novels… that’s the truth. 

 

I’m not ready for this… I’m not strong enough. 

 

… 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} It’s… it’s fucked up, and yet we have to accept it Hayato. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Accept what!? Just tell us who murdered my girlfriend already!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Raiko-chan… you also know the culprit’s identity don’t you?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} If that’s the case then please tell us already!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Would it be that big of a weight lifted from your chest if I told them myself… Hayato?

 

Hayato. {Defeated} It’s… not that simple. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Both Raiko and Hayato know man…? oh no… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I’m not tryna be rude Hayato… but while you’re hesitating like that… the motherfucker who masterminded Yoko’s murder is probably laughing to themself about how he’s got us all beat. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} So just fucking tell us. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} As Hayato has said… it’s a little bit more complicated than that. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} H-How… how is it more c-complicated?

 

Raiko: Because… {Serious glare} Because it appears that the murderer isn’t actually aware of what he’s done. 

 

Kenji: {Pulled shirt collar} H-He…? It’s a guy?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Wh-What!? How can the blackened not be aware… Das ist lächerlich !

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} So you claim that this murder… was accidental?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Yes, that’s the gist of it… this whole case is nothing but a catastrophic accident. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} That doesn’t change anything to the fact that Yoko’s dead… so accident or not… tell us who the blackened is!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} The blackened… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11) 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} It’s you… Shinto. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} WH-WH… {Clenched fist, resentful expression} What… what did you just say to me!? 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You… you’re joking right? There’s no way that Shinto killed Yoko!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} They were the ultimate couple after all… I think you’ve got that one wrong Hayato.  

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} R-Right… there’s no way man! Have you seen them two! 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} I can’t believe you’d even imply that… after everything I’ve been through. 

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up, nervous} Let’s j-just say that Hayato-kun’s tongue slipped… and we can try this again, right?

 

Hayato: No… {Determined} Shinto killed Yoko, I’m sure of it! 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Hnngh… you… you… 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} How dare you!!?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Th-They… they l-loved each other s-so much… so how?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} As I’ve said, this murder was accidental… Shinto’s love for Yoko doesn’t really mean anything in this situation. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} But how… how could I have killed her accidentally!? I’ve done nothing that could have ended up with her dead… 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} You’re fucking heartless… you know that?

 

Hnngh…  I hate seeing him like this… and I don’t want to do this to him… but we have no choice. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Upupupu… here’s your friendly reminder that accidental murders still count as murder and will end in the execution of the guilty party!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Shut up! Now’s not the fucking time!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Even so… Hayato-kun and Raiko-chan haven’t done anything to prove their accusations yet… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Prove it… sadly, yeah I can prove it. 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Of course, you can… because it’s the truth. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} It’s not… I still don’t know what you think you’re saying… but you’re wrong. Completely wrong!

 

Hayato: But Shinto… what you’re saying, it’s simply not true. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} What…?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} You say that you’ve done nothing that could have resulted in Yoko’s death… but that’s not true. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} H-He… he’s lying?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} No… he’s simply unaware of the truth… 

 

Shinto: {Hat covering eyes, angry} Stop treating me like I’m stupid or something… there’s nothing that I’m unaware of in this mess… what the hell are you talking about already!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Hayato… if what you’re saying is the truth… then perhaps you should simply tell us what it is that Shinto did. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} That’s right! What did I do wrong!? 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} The only thing I’m guilty of in this case is lying to you guys… and trying to protect the woman I love. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

This… this is so heartbreaking… I… if I tell him… he won’t believe it. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Hayato…

 

Hayato: I know, I can’t hesitate. 

 

No matter how much it hurts… I need to go on. 

 

Hayato: Shinto… the action that you took that night which ultimately caused Yoko’s death… it’s this!

 

{Lying about Kôzuke’s alibi/Stabbing Tadao’s body/Activating the control panel}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Stabbing Tadao’s body

 

===

 

Hayato: The moment in which you killed Yoko… {Determined} It’s when you stabbed Tadao’s hanging body! 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Wh-What…?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} When… he stabbed Tadao?

 

Jessie: {Sad} But… I thought that Shinto-kun did that to protect Yoko-chan… so how did it kill her?

 

Shinto: {Sweating profusely, grabs collar} You’ve got some gall… saying such a thing… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… you need to explain yourself! What does this mean?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} It’s true, I guess I got caught up in the emotion and didn’t take the time to justify my argument. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You better justify that shit alright… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I… I don’t get it man!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The key to understand what happened… it’s the moth. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} The… the m-moth?

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You mean that shit he imagined seeing on Tadao’s chest?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I didn’t… imagine anything… it was there!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} There’s no way!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Actually… Shinto didn’t imagine the moth… he truly saw it. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} B-But… I thought that you said that the emotions motive wasn’t active last night! 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Correct. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But then… how did Shinto-kun see this moth thing without hallucinating!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Th-There… are n-no insects like that h-here… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato! These two affirmations can’t both be correct!

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Actually… they can if we accept the fact that Shinto got something wrong in his account. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} A-Again? What are you accusing me off now?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I’m not accusing you of this Shinto, you were just very… very unlucky.

 

Shinto: {Hat covering eyes, angry} What are you talking about!?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Shinto saw something… “crawling on Tadao’s chest” right before he stabbed the body. As we’ve already established, that thing couldn’t have been an insect like Shinto initially assumed… 

 

Hayato: Which means we’re looking for a white, spotted object that could be mistaken for a huge moth… there’s only one thing that comes to mind. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} … 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You cannot be suggesting… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} It was Yoko’s fan! 

 

Shinto: {Hat covering eyes, angry} … 

 

Jessie: {Shocked}  Que!!?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Why w-would her fan be c-crawling on Tadao!?

 

Oriana: Kyaaaaah! The fan is haunted!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} N-No… not quite. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} But Hayato… if that’s the case… then… 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Yes… that’s what happened. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} What the hell are you saying!? What I saw… it couldn’t have been her fan!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Well, I think that it could, the corridor was very dark after all… and Yoko’s fan exactly matches the description you made of the moth just a few moments ago… “white with yellow spots”. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Shinto… that can’t be a coincidence! 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Gnnrk!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} The ynsekt… was actually Yoko-chan’s fan!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But man… wh-what does this mean as far as the murder goes? 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I’ll tell you-

 

Shinto: {Hat covering eyes, angry} It doesn’t mean… anything… what you’re saying is impossible! 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} It is?

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} I thought I’d seen a moth… because it literally was moving slowly across his chest… 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} And that’s only something that a living being could do… an inanimate object couldn’t just be floating around in mid air… it doesn’t make sense with what I saw!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You’re right Shinto… an inanimate object couldn’t do that… but I’m not quite done with my theory. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} What… what are you looking so confident for?

 

Hikari: {Serious} You really have figured it out… haven’t you Hayato?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I believe so… as I’ve said… that moth AKA Yoko’s fan is the key to understand what happened. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Shinto’s right, a fan couldn’t have been “crawling” around on the victim’s chest… nor could it have even been on Tadao to begin with… how did it stay up there without anything to support it?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I presume you have the answer to that question. 

 

Hayato: Of course, I do… because the truth is that the fan did have something… or rather someone to support it. 

 

Jessie: {Scared} S-Someone?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I just didn’t understand how Shinto’s account made any sense considering that what he saw wasn’t an insect… but it all makes sense now. 

 

Hayato: Instead of trying to think of some complex way the fan could have been tied to Tadao’s body… you need to ask yourself… what’s the simplest way that the fan could have “moved” in the way that Shinto saw it?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} How… the fan could have moved?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} The answer’s simple… someone must have been holding it and moving it around manually! 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} … 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Someone… but the fan was positioned on Tadao’s chest… and he couldn’t have been holding it since he was already dead!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Which means that the person holding the fan… was someone else. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-but… who w-was it?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} It’s really obvious isn’t it…?

 

Hayato: The person holding the fan… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU)

 

Hayato: {Determined} It was Yoko. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} WHAT!?

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} What are you saying? Yoko wasn’t there in the watebath at the time!

 

Hayato: But she was… you simply didn’t see her. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} That’s… a lie…

 

Hayato: The truth is this… 

 

{2d diagram accompanies Hayato’s explanation, Tadao’s hanged body is in the center of the screen, on the other side, Shinto arrives sword in hand}

 

Hayato: The corridor was narrow, the room was dark and most of all the sight of Tadao’s body was captivating enough for you to miss it… 

 

Hayato: But when you stabbed the body

 

{Yoko appears on the other side of Tadao’s body}

 

Hayato: Yoko was right there on the other side!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} N-NO!!!

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Sh-She was there man?? But how… and why!?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} We’ve already come to the conclusion that Yoko had untied Tadao’s body from the rope he was hanging from… but we haven’t figured out exactly when that happened!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} So you mean to say… that when Shinto stabbed the body… she was right there trying to get Tadao down?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} The two events… happened simultaneously…? What are the odds of that!?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well, if you think about the timeline suggested by the letters sent by Tadao… it all makes sense. 

 

{Black and white frame of Shinto’s covering his mouth with his hand. In the foreground, Tadao can be seen hanged by one of the automated ceiling’s ropes, his body suspended a few feet above ground}

 

Hayato: Shinto arrived at the waterbath at 3:00 sharp, worried that something could happen to Yoko. 

 

Hayato: That’s when he came up when a plan… and he left to the infirmary in order to grab the golden katana. 

 

{Frame of Yoko in a similar pose, shocked to see Tadao’s body} 

 

Hayato: While he was gone, that’s when Yoko arrived, at around 3:05 as specified in the letter addressed to her. 

 

Hayato: She had the same reflex as Shinto… and assumed that he had killed Tadao because of the contents of the letter, and that’s why she also decided to take action in order to protect him. 

 

Hayato: And that’s when she decided to take Tadao down from the rope in order to maybe move the body or alter the crime scene in some way… I guess we’ll never know exactly what she had in mind… 

 

{Next frame, Shinto can be seen leaning against the wall neighbouring the waterbath corridor, sword in hand, on the other side Yoko is working at getting Tadao down, her fan in her right hand resting against Tadao’s chest as her left hand is on the rope} 

 

Hayato: What Shinto mistakenly thought was a moth was Yoko’s fan which she kept in her hand during the whole process… she wasn’t going to drop it was she…? It was a gift from Shinto after all. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} And that conclude… how I think this whole mess unfolded. 

 

Shinto: {Close-up} YOU’RE OUT OF YOUR MIND!

 

{Split-screen between Hayato and Shinto} 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} You really think I could do something… so horrible as to kill Yoko…? The woman I’ve spent my entire life with. 

 

Hayato: I… I’m really sorry Shinto. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} No you’re not… you can’t be after everything you’ve said to me… your theory can’t be right! 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I… I guess it seems believable at first… {Clenched fist, resentful expression} But I won’t accept it… I simply won’t!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Shinto… 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} It’s you against me now Hayato… and I won’t let you win this one!

 

It pains me… so much, to have to oppose my friend in such a way, especially when they never meant to do anything wrong in the first place… but Shinto killed her. There’s no doubt about it. 

 

And I’ll have to convince everyone… even him, that this is the truth! 

 

===

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4w_7v_BHM)

 

{Truth Blades: Monokuma’s account, Shinto’s real account, Monokuma File #3 & 4}

 

Shinto: 

 

I g-guess your timeline of events does make sense… 

 

But I won’t accept it!

 

There’s simply no way that I killed Yoko… 

 

I couldn’t have… 

 

I… simply couldn’t!

 

R-Right…? 

 

Hayato: Um… Shinto, do you have any actual counter to my arguments…?

 

ADVANCE

 

Shinto: 

 

Ngh… you want a counter… here’s one!

 

You say that Yoko was there when I stabbed Tadao?

 

So what!? That doesn’t change anything! 

 

What is it that you’re saying huh?

 

That she was a witness and I stabbed her after that in order to keep her quiet?

 

I was trying to protect her dammit! 

 

The fact that she was in the waterbath doesn’t actually change anything! 

 

I… didn’t… kill her!

 

 

It looks like he still hasn’t realised what I’m actually saying… obviously, he didn’t kill her purposefully… what truly happened is so much… so much sadder. 

 

God dammit… better rip off the bandaid quickly huh?

 

===

 

 

 


SOLUTION : Monokuma File #3 & 4 → I stabbed her after that in order to keep her quiet?

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoh-Z_TS_xE)

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Shinto… I think you’ve misunderstood what I was saying… 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Huh… so you don’t suspect me anymore?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Shinto-kun… he’s innocent right!?

 

Hayato: No sadly… I maintain my suspicions… I think that Shinto killed Yoko… accidentally. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Yes, you have said that before… but you still need to point out exactly how this happened!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} … 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The way I understand it… it’s all explained in the Monokuma File!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} That convoluted piece of crap? I thought that the file was useless this time around… it doesn’t even mention the cause of death!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} H-Hey! Give me some credit here! One bear can only do so much! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato… you really think that the file has the answers we seek? 

 

Hayato: I know for a fact that it does… because if I’m right with this, it would explain the odd nature of the victims’ wounds!

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} Huh… you mean why Yoko’s throat injury was so shallow?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Yes… my theory would explain that. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Then be our guest… explain to us. 

 

{Shinto can be seen leaning against the wall neighbouring the waterbath corridor, sword in hand, on the other side Yoko is working at getting Tadao down, her fan in her right hand resting against Tadao’s chest as her left hand is on the rope}

 

Hayato: As I’ve said… Yoko was on the other side of Tadao’s body when Shinto stabbed it… and that’s what caused her death. 

 

Jessie: H-How so…?

 

Hayato: The Monokuma File clearly states that Tadao was fully impaled by a sword like object… while Yoko was barely cut by a sharp object… but she died of blood loss because she was stabbed in the throat. 

 

{Shinto can be seen cringing as he prepares to stab Tadao as he looks away from his target, on the other side, Yoko looks shocked} 

 

Hayato: Think of the height of the wounds… Tadaow as stabbed in the stomach and Yoko in the throat… but Tadao was hanging a few feet from the ground. 

 

Fusume: Y-You can’t be serious… 

 

Reijiro: You mean to say that… 

 

{Screen turns Red, piercing sound can be heard} 

 

  Hayato: The answer is clear! When Shinto stabbed Tadao… the sword went all the way through his body and stabbed Yoko who was standing on the other side of the hanging corpse!

 

Hayato: That’s how Yoko was killed! She was stabbed in the throat when Shinto drove that katana through Tadao!

 

Kôzuke: W-W-W… 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Kôzuke: {Horrified} WHAAAAAAAAAT!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Gnnnrk!

 

Jessie: {Scared}  C’est impossible!!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} That’s it… the dark truth behind this whole case… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Yoko’s death… I can’t believe it. 

 

Shinto: {Sweating profusely, grabs shirt collar} The… the sword went all the way through… that’s just not possible! 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Sadly, it does seem quite plausible actually… if the sword completely impaled the first victim and then barely pierced the second victim’s throat… it would explain both injuries quite well. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Yoko… was busy trying to untie Tadao’s body and that’s when she got stabbed… through his very body! 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} What a gruesome twist. 

 

Oriana: {Cries} K-Kyaah! That’s h-horrible

 

Hikari: {Distressed} P-Poor… poor Shinto. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} That’s… such b-bullshit Hayato… there’s no way that I actually stabbed her… 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} Th-There… there’s no way!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I’m genuinely sorry Shinto… I know you didn’t mean any harm… but I’m pretty sure that this is what happened. 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, collapses slightly} N-NOOOOOOO!

 

… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} As tragic as this all is… perhaps it is time that we wrap up the trial once and for all. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} No. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} R-Raiko…? 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Sorry… but we still have some things to figure out. 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} L-Like what… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Like why Tadao did what he did.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Correct, we still have no idea wh

 

Shinto: T-Tadao… {Clenched fist, resentful expression} That guy… it’s all his fault… it’s all him. 

 

Jessie: {Soft smile} Please wait Shinto-kun… we can’t know that just yet. 

 

Jessie: {Sadly} We don’t know what Tadao-kun was going through… but surely it must have been awful if he wa driven to… to… uh… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} To kill himself, that’s what you meant to say. 

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} It’s s-s-s-so… s-sad!

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Not only did Tadao commit suicide… but he did it in an impossible way in order to confuse us on the manner of his death… not only that but he also wrote threatening letters to the couple which resulted in this mess… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} And we’d better figure out why he did such a thing. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} W-Wait… Raiko, are you claiming that Tadao sent those letters to Yoko and Shinto… knowing that something like this would happen!?

 

I’ve been asking myself that too… what did Tadao have in mind with those letters? He must have known that they’d panic… right? 

 

But then why…? What happened to make him do something… so cruel?

 

There’s only one thing I can think of… but if that’s the case then… 

 

We’re in real trouble. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I know that he was a criminal and whatnot… but still… if he planned this entire thing so that some fucked up shit like that would happen… that’s horrible man!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Tadao-kun… why?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato… do you know?

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Do I know…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’re being quiet… and thus I wonder if you know something about Tadao’s motives!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} That would be helpful… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} How… how the fuck could you know something like that? 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well I can’t grasp his exact reasons… only he knows why he went down that route… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} But I think I can make a pretty good guess! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You… you can?

 

Fusume: {Content} As I expected… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I can’t be completely sure about this… but Fusume and I did see him yesterday morning… and judging from what he tried to tell us… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} There’s only one thing that comes to mind!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Is… th-that so?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Tadao: {Sombre} Ngh!

 

Hayato: It’s you again!

 

Tadao: {Nervous} I m-must… I… 

 

He’s just like we saw him this morning… it’s like there’s no trace of the Tadao we know… 

 

Hayato: Tadao… what’s happened to you? Why are you like this?

 

Tadao: {Sombre} I… I… 

 

Hayato: You what?

 

Tadao: {Nervous} I r-r-rem… ggh!

 

Tadao: {Heinous} Just leave me alone! {Leaves} 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I… I see. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} What the fuck was he trying to say bro!?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} It’s possibly… quite worse than I expected… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wh-What are you guys talking about ? 

 

Hayato: Let me make it clear for you… the reason that Tadao went through that entire scheme… it’s because… 

 

{He was scared for his life/He was thinking about killing someone/He got his memories back}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: He got his memories back.

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} “I remember!” That’s what Tadao was trying to tell us! 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} He remembered…? But what did he remember!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} There’s… there’s only one thing he could have been talking about. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Our missing high school memories. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Kyaaah… I uh… d-didn’t w-want to believe that story was true. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} One year taken from us… that’s fucked up man… 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Upupu… and yet it’s true! Y’all have been classmates for an entire year and I’ve taken all your lovely memories away from you!

 

Jessie: {Tearing up} Th-That’s unfair! G-Give them back right now! 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Nyahahahahahaah! Obviously I won’t do that… we’re only on class trial N°3 after all… and either way, are you sure you want to know what happened in that fateful year?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Why the fuck would we not want-

 

Raiko: {Grimace} You fucking bear… what happened to us!?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Raiko-chan!?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} He’s playing with us… something really awful must have happened in that year because he’s been giving some of us our memories back as motives to kill!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Wh-What!?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Yes, Tadao suddenly got his memories back and that same day he killed himself… there’s no way Monokuma’s not involved with that!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Upupu… why would you say that?

 

Hayato: Because… {Determined} Because it’s not the first time this happens!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Not the first time…? What are you talking about?

Raiko: {Grimace} Tadao wasn’t the first one whose personality changed entirely after getting his memories back… don’t tell me you’ve forgotten already.

 

{Flashback}

 

Rina: {Playful, poking cheek} But now… they’re coming here… expecting to find a dead body… and we can’t greet them with such a pitiful performance… 

 

Rina: {Pulls out letter opener} Let me help you… be a little bit more convincing!

 

Rina: {Sassy} Aw… look at you… your breathing is getting faster… don’t be scared it’ll be fast. In a few seconds it’ll be over and you’ll look exactly like a dead body… they won’t be the wiser!

 

Rina: They’ll think you were dead all along… and me… poor me, stumbled across your dead body.

 

Rina: {Advancing towards Yoshi} Yeah! It’ll be a masterful performance!

 

Yoshi: Okay, you got me! Stop this! It’s not too late.

 

Rina: {Playful, poking cheek} Oh yes… it’s too late…  much too late for you! 

 

Yoshi: Get away from me… put your weapon away!

 

Rina: {Annoyed} You know… that sorta tactic may have worked before… but no more… 

 

Yoshi: What… what changed!?

 

Rina: {Devilish smile} Because now… I remember everything!

 

{Ends flashback}  

 

Hikari: {Distressed} No…!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} According to Yoshi’s account, Rina had also gotten her memories back… right before she tried killing him. 

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} K-Kyaah… oh m-my god… wh-what does this m-mean!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Two students retrieved their missing memories… and less than 24 hours later they both end up dead… this cannot be a coincidence!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Monokuma… you always brag about having it all under control… don’t tell us that this is an exception to that rule!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} … 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} HA! You got me! Y’all were being waaaaaay too slow in getting to the good stuff so I used my last resort tactics… using your sweet memories as motive for murder!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Heh… last “resort”, get it?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} So you giving our classmates their memories back turned them into murderers…? 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} You… you forced two of our friends into doing such atrocious things!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Oh no… you couldn’t be further away from the truth!  

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Wait… what?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I forced three of your friends into whatever happened to them!

 

Three…?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You don’t mean…?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} But I do! Don’t tell me you didn’t ask yourself why our favorite parkour boy got so bloodthirsty that one night… pun very much intended!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} N-No!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} When Kyia woke up after having been injured by Fukami… I remember seeing him trying to maneuver himself down to the ground to get help… he was close to dying after all. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} NO!

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} But how boring would that be? Fukami’s murder plan was so exciting! I wasn’t going to let all that go to waste was I?

Hikari: STOP SPEAKING!

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} So I gave him a quick taste of what happened in his life during that fateful year… and you know the rest. 

 

{Black and white frame of Kyia strangling Fukami with his bandana from outside the large window} 

 

Monokuma: And just like that… our peaceful little Kyia turned into a murdering machine! How cool is that?

 

{Screen turns red, large thud can be heard} 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… I knew it… Kyia wasn’t a killer… and all this time… I tried to hate him for what he did… but it wasn’t his fault at all!

 

Hikari: {Snarls, hateful expression} It was all your fault!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Well, I didn’t exactly force him to attempt murder… he did that all by himself!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} He’s the one who decided to kill… but oh no looks like he was too incompetent for that… and down he fell to his inevitable death… 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} That was the only possible outcome… his own death… all because he wasn’t good enough!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You… that’s not… ggh… 

 

He’s basically toying with her at this point… this thing’s truly evil

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} So yeah, well done… you’ve figured out that Tadao’s motive for suicide was his high school memories… just like Rina and Kyia before him. 

 

Jessie: {Scared} B-But… what did we go through that could cause such a shock to these guys…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We must have gone through… something traumatic. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Or perhaps… we’re simply not who we think we are.

 

Oriana: {Crying} Wh-What does that mean!?

 

Our missing memories… I feel like that’s the last part of the huge puzzle that is this killing game. Perhaps what we went through last year is the reason why we’re here in the first place… 

 

Either way… seeing how much it affected those of us who got their memories back… I can’t say I’m excited to figure out what that was all about. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Alright, that’s enough… your past is despair-inducing, sure… but figuring it out what’s happening to you guys is not the point of this trial! You’ve got a murderer to find. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} You’ve had your fun dilly dallying around with Tadao’s motive… but now I’m ordering you to go back to normal discussions!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Ordering us…?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} If ya know who killed them… just vote already y’know!

 

Is it me… or does he look almost desperate for us to finish with the trial… that seems rather off-brand for him… 

 

Strange. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Alright get a move on!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Well… as far as the murders go… I think we’ve reached the end of discussions haven’t we?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} It appears so. 

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} I c-can’t believe… that sh-she died p-protecting… uh… Shinto. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} And he killed her whilst also trying to protect her… the irony is strong with this one. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} N-No! You got it all wrong!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Shinto-kun?

 

Shinto: {Sweating profusely, holds collar} Accident or not… there’s no way I killed Yoko! You must have got it wrong!

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} We know it sucks… but you gotta accept it Shinto… even if the truth hurts.

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} N-NO! I can’t accept… that I… could have harmed her. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} You’ve got to have made a mistake somewhere!

 

He’s desperate… obviously… but at the same time he can’t really lie his way out of this one… simply because he himself doesn’t know whether he killed her or not. 

 

This is likely him trying to convince himself more than anything else… 

 

I have to prove to him that this is what happened… whatever the cost!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t) )

 

{Truth Bullets : Monokuma’s account, Kenji’s account, Shinto’s real account, Oriana’s account, Mysterious letter}

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} So… I hope you’ve got a better defense this time… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Because the: “I wouldn’t kill my girlfriend” tactic won’t cut it this time around!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Hnngh!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Just give him time Raiko-chan! 

 

Jessie: {Sad} It must be so hard… not knowing whether he killed her or not…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Did he seriously not realise man? I feel like that sort of stuff is kind of impossible to do unintentionally…   

 

Reijiro: {Opens book} Mmph, I do believe that this murder was accidental. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glases} The culprit’s lack of real attempt at covering his crime shows that! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s correct… Shinto barely tried hiding his actions… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} And that’s because he didn’t know what he’d done in the first place!

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Definitely, if Kôzuke hadn’t done his thing, we would have found the bloody sword right next to Shinto in the first place! 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} The piece of the puzzle all seem to fit… Shinto, you must have done this!

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} Hnngh… n-no… please. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} That is all… there is no way out of this one. 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} Screw you Raiko! This is all one big mistake!

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Even though the waterbath corridor was narrow, I would have seen Yoko on the other side of the body! 

 

Shinto: {Sweating profusely, holds collar} You can’t possibly think I could have stabbed her without noticing it! 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Th-That… that is a g-good point uh… right?  

===

 

I really want to believe in Shinto’s innocence… but there really is nothing that can save him now is there? 

 

The more this goes… the more it feels like he’s slowly realising that we just might be right… I can’t back down now!

 

 



SOLUTION : Shinto’s real account → I would have seen Yoko on the other side of the body! 

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}



(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34)

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Shinto… that’s just not true is it?

 

Shinto: {Sweating profusely, holds collar} Wh-What…?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Are you saying… that Shinto-kun is lying? 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Wh-Why… Shinto?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I told you… I’m n-not lying! 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} No I don’t think that you’re lying… but you’re not accepting the truth. 

 

Shinto: {Sweating profusely, holds collar} The truth… wh-what truth?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The fact that you could have seen that Yoko was there when you stabbed Tadao… that contradicts with what you told us earlier. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} It does…?

 

Hayato: Please recall how Shinto described his actions… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} This is… getting crazier by the second. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} There are no giant glowing insects in this place… he definitely must have been hallucinating! 

 

Shinto: {Looks down} I know you won’t believe me… but it happened alright. I know what I saw… 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} And so I tightened my grip on the sword… I closed my eyes and I stabbed him. 

 

Shinto: {Looks down} I did… what I had to. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} He… closed his eyes!?

 

Shinto: {Grabs chest tightly, crazed} Nngh… 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} The way you described the scene to us… it appears you never actually looked at what you were hitting… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} No… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Not only were you terrified of the bug you thought you’d seen on his chest… but you didn’t feel comfortable stabbing someone, even though Tadao was already dead! 

 

{Shinto can be seen leaning against the wall neighbouring the waterbath corridor, sword in hand, on the other side Yoko is working at getting Tadao down, her fan in her right hand resting against Tadao’s chest as her left hand is on the rope}

 

Hayato: The truth is that you didn’t actually look before you stabbed him… and as we’ve said, the corridor was narrow and the lights were off… 

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hayato: {Determined} All of this to say… that it’s very much possible that you didn’t see Yoko at all!

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} N-No… that’s uh… that is what I said. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Shinto-kun… 

 

Shinto: {Grabs chest tightly, crazed} C-Could it be… are… are you right?

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, collapses slightly} GRRAAAAAAAH!

 

Shinto: C-Could… I have… k-killed… n-no…

 

Shinto: {Pulls hat over face, bends backwards} NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

 

… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a)

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Shinto… I’m so sorry. 

 

Shinto: {Collapsed, hand on podium trembling} I… I… I only w-wanted to… help her. H-How… how could it have h-happened?

 

Shinto: I… can’t believe it… Wh-What… what have I done? 

 

Oriana: {Sobbing quietly} …

 

Hikari: {Distressed} It… it isn’t your fault Shinto. 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIn1bhBEbng)

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Alrighto, you got your confession! Time to vote!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Wait… what?

 

Oriana: {Crying} V-Vote… already?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Yes, yes. This has gone on for long enough. Now it’s time to vote and end the trial!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Monokuma…?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Bear, what do you think you are doing?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} M-Me? What are you talking about?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’re acting odd… You’ve never tried to rush us to a conclusion before!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} H-Hey, I’m not rushing anything! It’s just standard procedure y’know, you’ve reached the end of the trial so now you vote! 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Heh, there is no such thing as procedure in this mockery of a trial. 

 

Monokuma: {Sad} Mockery?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I mean guys… I know Monokuma’s acting weird and all that… but maybe he’s right. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} What are you saying? 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} And then you accuse me of siding with Monokuma.

 

Kenji: {Furious} I’m not fucking siding with anyone you… you-

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Kenji… please. You’ve done enough against Raiko for a lifetime… do not threaten her. 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the ground} I’m sorry ayt… all I’m saying is that if we’ve reached an endpoint then we shouldn’t drag it out longer than necessary y’know. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} He’s got… a point man. This has been hard enough already-

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Neither of you should be fucking speaking right now… This has only been hard because the two of you made it hard alright!?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} S-Sorry!

 

Kenji: {Looks to the ground} Hnngh… 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} You bastards really have to make a big deal outta things huh!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What does that even mean?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Just look at your main suspect.

 

Shinto: {Collapsed, hand on podium trembling} Y-Y-Yoko… I didn’t… k-kill you did I…? 

 

Shinto: I… did?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Does that look like someone who’s ready to put up a fight?

 

Jessie: {Sad} Poor… poor Shinto-kun. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} I’ll help you out, the answer’s no. 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} You can turn this any way you’d like… this trial is over. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} So don’t you dare try to waste my time with useless time wasting without use! 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} So much damn redundancy in a single sentence. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I’m s-sorry… but I think I’d like this… over with right now! 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Yeah… I don’t want to agree with Monokuma but the trial does feel virtually over by now… maybe it’s time to recap everything. 

 

Shinto: {Collapsed, hand on podium trembling} P-Please… m-make it end… I’ll j-join her… to a better p-place. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} … 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Oh s-sorry! That’s my cue isn’t it?

 

Fusume: {Mediating} What were you thinking about…? You looked deep in meditation.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} This just feels odd. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} What does?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The bear’s actions… this is evidently out of character. 

 

Monokuma: {Exagerated surprise} ME!? Nooooooo! I’m completely honest! Promiiiise! 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} You’re not helping your case there buddy… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I agree that something does feel off and yet… is there really anything left to discuss? 

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} No there isn’t… so just get to voting will ya? 

 

That’s the real question here. Even though it’s weird that Monokuma seems to be rushing us to a vote… I don’t see where else this trial could go. 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} … 

 

I think that he’s starting to realise what this means for him… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph, I’m afraid this trial is not quite over just yet. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} It’s… n-not?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} That’s what I like to hear… we can’t give in to Monokuma’s pressure when there are still a few inconsistencies to deal with. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Inconsistencies… what inconsistencies? 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} H-hey, I’m not pressuring anyone. If there’s anything left to clear then please d-do! Take your time, we’ve got all day.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You literally could not look any more suspicious.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato, do you share Reijiro and Raiko’s point of view?

 

Yeah, I do… this trial’s not over just yet!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Definitely, there are still a few things that don’t fit in our timeline of events. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Is that so Hayato-kun…? erziel mir méi

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Grr… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Shut up you. We’ll get to the truth… the full truth and you won’t pressure us into anything!

 

Monokuma: {Mumbles} Ugh… what happened to the evil Raiko that I loved…? 

 

I… I have to say… Raiko’s been acting like a transformed person since the murders… she’s genuinely being helpful… 

 

Maybe all those days in that chair changed her, who knows. 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Very well, you three. Tell us more about these inconsistencies. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} If I may, I would like to start this off. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Hm, go ahead… 

 

We need to get rid of any potential discrepancies in our timeline… that way we’ll be certain that we’ve reached the whole truth! 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Very well, the first problem that I’ve found with our current explanation of events is the question of when the body actual was taken down from the rope he hanged from!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Didn’t Hayato say that Yoko was untying Tadao’s body at the same time that Shinto stabbed him? 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Well yeah… but if Yoko was killed when Shinto stabbed the body… then that means that somebody else had to untie the body after she was killed! 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} S-Someone else…?

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} It… w-wasn’t me… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} That is my question indeed… if the second victim was killed at that moment… then who finished untying the hanging body? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It couldn’t have been Yoko… right? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Shinto would have noticed if Tadao’s body had fallen down when he stabbed him… even if he wasn’t looking he would have heard the sound of the corpse touching the water. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hayato-kun… if Yoko-chan really died before she was able to fully take down the body… then do you know who finished the job?

 

It’s an interesting question… Yoko was stabbed while she was working on getting Tadao back down… and she definitely hadn’t finished doing her thing when Shinto stabbed the both of them considering that the body was still hanging at that point. 

 

But at the same time… I can’t think of anybody else who could have done it… we know that Tadao’s body was on the floor by 3:45 when Kenji came to the waterbath. 

 

The problem is that if somebody other that Shinto, Yoko or himself did it, then it would have triggered the BDA before Kenji even arrived. 

 

That much seems impossible… we’ve already confirmed that Kenji triggered the announcement and I don’t see why he would have lied about seeing Tadao’s body hanging… 

 

If we take all that into account… there’s only one person who could have completely untied Tadao… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} It must have been Yoko… she really did untie Tadao from the rope! 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wh-What…? But man… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Doesn’t that directly contradict what you told us?

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Yoko was stabbed while she was working on the noose… and she definitely wasn’t done before being stabbed… so how?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I… I don’t get it… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Hayato… are you sure about this? 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Positive, there’s no way anybody else could have come in contact with Tadao’s body before Kenji entered the waterbath… the body discovery announcement makes that very clear. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Huh, I guess that if anybody had done it before I came… that announcement wouldn’t have played for me would it?

 

Fusume: {Confident} He’s right… Kenji had to have been the third person to see the body for the announcement to play. 

 

Jessie: Shinto-kun first… then Yoko-chan and finally Shinto-kun. There’s no room for anybody else!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} K-Kenji… you d-didn’t do anything to T-Tadao’s b-body… uh… did you?

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} Of course… I have no reason to lie here do I ?

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} I’ve already confessed to all my wrongdoings… Tadao was lying on the waterbath floor when I saw him… I’m sure of it! 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… how curious, it appears nobody other than the victim could have done the deed… and yet, it still appears impossible. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Right! How could she have finished untying the body after she had been stabbed!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} If she was dying… there’s no way she took the time to get Tadao’s body down man… 

 

Wait!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Actually… I’m not sure about that. 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} Wh-What… now?

 

Fusume: {Confident} What do you have in mind?

 

Hayato: I think it was possible for Yoko to have finished untying the body… even after she was stabbed!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} H-How…?

 

Hayato: {Determined} I’ll prove it… using this! 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Monokuma File #3 & 4

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU)

 

Hayato: It says it right here in the file! Yoko didn’t die instantly, it took at least a few minutes for her to bleed out!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Which means she definitely could have untied the body even after Shinto stabbed her!

 

Shinto: {Collapsed, hand on podium trembling} … 

 

Oriana: {Shocked, hands covering face} N-No way!!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato’s right… the file is quite clear, it was possible that she did it. 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} And judging by the fact that only she could have done it because of the timing of the BDA… then I guess that answers your question!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I understand that it was possible… but why would she have done that?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Yeah, why the fuck would she waste her last few minutes doing something like that instead of trying to get help or something?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You really think that Yoko spent her dying moments finishing what she had started…?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Well, if that’s the case… we’re going to need a damn good reason for it. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} What if I told you that I know exactly why she did it?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} You… you do?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} It all makes sense… doesn’t it. 

 

Shinto: {Collapsed, hand on podium trembling} P-Please… 

 

Hayato: Yoko finished tampering with the crime scene after she was stabbed… and it’s because:

 

{She had to protect Shinto/She wanted to cover her own crime/She secretly liked Tadao}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: She had to protect Shinto. 

 

===

 

Hayato: {Defeated} The reason… it was all for you Shinto. 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} Me…?

 

{Shinto can be seen leaning against the wall neighbouring the waterbath corridor, sword in hand, on the other side Yoko is working at getting Tadao down, her fan in her right hand resting against Tadao’s chest as her left hand is on the rope} 



Hayato: Picture the scene… for the same reasons that Shinto suspected Yoko, she was likely convinced that he had killed Tadao!

 

Hayato: And so, just like we’ve established she started working on untying Tadao’s hanging body… that is until Shinto accidentally stabbed her. 

 

Shinto: … 

 

Hayato: The thing is… Shinto didn’t know what he’d done… after all, he wasn’t actually looking at what he was digging the sword into. 

 

Hayato: But Yoko on the other hand… she likely saw everything. 

 

{Black and white frame of Yoko, holding at her throat, blood flowing, Shinto can be seen running away in the background}

 

Hayato: What if she’d seen that it was Shinto who’d just stabbed Tadao’s body and accidentally injured her too?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Sh-She… she saw him?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yeah… she was facing his direction after all, it seems unlikely that she didn’t realise who it was… that killed her. 

 

Shinto: Ggh… {Slams cane on podium, collapses slightly} N-NOOOOO!!!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} So you think that even though she knew that it was Shinto who’d stabbed her, she finished tampering with the crime scene in order to protect him?

 

Hayato: Yes, I can’t think of anything else. Nobody other than Yoko could have finished untying Tadao… and we know someone had to have done it after she was stabbed. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} If you put two and two together… then it makes a lot of sense to assume that she used her last strengths to make sure that Shinto wouldn’t be convicted for his crime! 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Just like Shinto was ready to take the blame in order to save her… she made sure that he wouldn’t be accused of the crime she thought he’d committed. 

 

Hayato: But in the end, she also protected him of his true crime… her own murder!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} A victim that used their dying breath in order to help their murderer get away with it… that has to be unheard of. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} And by doing that… she risked sacrificing all of our lives… and in the name of what? Love?

 

Shinto: {Collapsed, hand on podium trembling} P-Please… stop… we never… m-meant any harm… 

 

Shinto: Just… l-let this end… I’ve h-had enough. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} It appears that your problem has been addressed Reijiro… it does seem hard for anybody other than Yoko to have taken Tadao’s body down… which means that Hayato’s timeline holds up. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Is this it…? Can we get t-to voting? 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Hey! That sounds like a good idea-

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Shut your mouth!

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} Awawa… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} We aren’t ready to vote just yet… there’s one more thing to clarify. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} We aren’t…? But I thought that we had gone over everything!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I-Is… there really more to g-go through? 

 

Shinto: {Collapsed, hand on podium trembling} Hnngh… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Please… can’t we just get this over with…? For Shinto-kun?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Unfortunately… as long as there’s doubt we must keep digging… we can’t come to a vote until we’ve reached a flawless conclusion. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} But Shinto confessed… isn’t that enough?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I am afraid that his confession does not mean much… afterall he is just as clueless as we all are as to what really happened. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Damn man… I guess this just isn’t over then… 

 

I’d like to end this just as much as everybody else… I’m tired of seeing Shinto suffering, but Fusume’s right as long as there’s doubt then we must keep on pushing towards the truth! 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Raiko… why don’t you tell us what this uncertainty of yours is?  

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} This might be the final puzzle… and yet we still need to answer one more question in order to complete the chronology…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Go ahead! Tell us what your problem is… I’m sure we can find an answer if we work together!

 

Let’s do this.

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS


(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXSH3q8F96E)

 

{Truth Bullets : Monokuma’s account, Smudged bloodstain, Control panel, Automated ceiling, Shinto’s real account}

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} What do you want to talk about Raiko-chan? Is it something to do with Shinto’s guilt?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Or perhaps… you have a confession of your own to make.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Nothing like that… there’s one more aspect of the tampering of the crime scene that we just haven’t mentioned. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} And that’s the question of who used the control panel to hide the rope that Tadao used to hang himself!

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} It wasn’t Yoko… was it?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Hm… If it was her then it would make sense as far as motives go… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hiding the rope would go along with her plan of making Shinto look innocent!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes, it does seem consistent with our previous discussion. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} It’s either that or somebody else did it man… 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Whatever the answer is… I’d like to make sure we’re all on the same page as far as who hid the rope… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} If we were to be dealing with a third party… then it really would add a whole new layer of complexity to this problem! 

 

 

Who hid the rope…? That’s the final aspect of the crime scene that was changed by somebody other than Shinto… I suppose we should make sure that we know who used the control panel lever to do such a thing. 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : It wasn’t Yoko was it? → Smudged bloodstain

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8)

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Actually… I believe it was Yoko. 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} She’s the one… who hid it?

 

Hayato: Just like Hikari said, if her goal was to make Shinto look innocent then it makes sense for her to go all the way.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} After she’d untied Tadao’s body… she also had to hide that conspicuous rope!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Which is why I believe that after she fell down… while she bled to death, she used a last ditch effort to press on that lever and pull the rope back into the ceiling!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} As I suspected… but can you prove it though?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I think that I can. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You can prove… such a thing man? 

 

Hayato: Please remember the smudged bloodstain that we discussed earlier in the trial. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… you mean the handprint that was discovered right under the east control panel?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I believe that we concluded that it was left there by the victim. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} That’s right, the shape of the print seems to match with Yoko’s right hand, which is also covered in blood. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} She left that bloody print, no doubt about it… are you implying that she left it while trying to reach the lever?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} That’s exactly what I think! When we talked about that handprint earlier, we agreed that we didn’t have enough information to determined what she was trying to do… but now we do!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The same problem applies as with our previous problem… if a third party was involved then they would have triggered the body discovery announcement before Kenji… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} And considering that this rope was long gone when I ran into the body… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} It means that Yoko’s the only one who could have hidden it, and the blood handprint also goes to prove that!

 

… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Very well… that’s all from me. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I do believe that we have been over everything this time. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Does th-that mean that we f-finally g-get to vote?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Well… if nobody has any objections then I guess we have nothing else to discuss. 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU)

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} P-Please wait just a second!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Shinto-kun?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I just want this nightmare to end… I want to be done with this… but I just can’t accept this. 

 

Hayato: Wh-What?

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} Your arguments all stand… I don’t even have a real counter for all of it… but I still can’t believe it… I can’t believe that I murdered my beloved in the very act of trying to protect her. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} If this is my time to go… then I wish to be at peace with myself… and right now that’s not the case… I need to be 100% sure that I did this. 

 

Shinto: So please Hayato… you have to help me… help me understand. 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} Please free me from the doubt inside my heart!

 

Shinto wants me to convince him once and for all… I think that I can do that. After everything that he’s been through… the guy deserves peace of spirit. 

 

Let’s see what I can do. 

 

Time to put this matter to bed.

 

PANIC TALK ACTION

BEGIN

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSdokoS408s) 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, accusatory} I don’t want to believe you… trust me. 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} The very thought that I could have harmed her… it’s killing me. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, stern expression} I just want this to be over with… whether I’ve done this or not… I need this to stop!

 

Shinto: {Grabbing chest tightly, crazed} But maybe… just maybe you got something wrong… 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} And if that’s the case then please tell me so right now… 

 

Shinto: {Grabbing chest tightly, crazed} I can’t deal with the uncertainty… I need answers…! I need to understand! 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} I just want to be at ease with myself… p-please help me!

 

FINAL STRIKE

 

Shinto: If I really killed her… then please, prove it to me once and for all! 



Yoko

 

For help                                                                                                                                                                                                 Didn’t 




Call



===

 

 

 

 

Solution : Yoko didn’t call for help. 

 

=== 

 

Hayato: {Closeup on face} IT’S OVER FOR YOU

 

… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0)

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The final proof that you killed her, it’s the fact that she did something… that she wouldn’t have done for anybody but you!

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} What… what do you mean?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} As we’ve just agreed on, one of the last things that Yoko did whilst she was alive was to pull on the control panel’s lever to hide the rope. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes, that does seem to be the case… and so what? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} We’ve also concluded that Yoko was alive for a few minutes as she bled out… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} P-Please… d-don’t mention the g-gory details. 

 

Hayato: The point is that she had access to the control panel and she didn’t die instantly… which asks the question: 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Why didn’t Yoko call for help?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} She didn’t… call for help?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} The control panels on both sides of the waterbath were equipped with an SOS button that would sound an alarm in the entire building… 

 

Hayato: Yoko was dying… but she could perhaps have been saved if she obtained enough medical attention before it was too late. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You cannot be implying…

 

Hayato: {Defeated} It would have been very easy for Yoko to press that button… we would have come to the rescue and maybe… just maybe she would have survived. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} But she didn’t do that did she?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} No, she had the opportunity but she didn’t… instead all she did was hide that rope, and that’s because… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} If she had called for help, we risked finding out that it was Shinto who killed her. 

 

Shinto: {Sweating profusely, hand on collar} N-Ngh… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} As she died… Yoko’s only goal seemed to have been to keep Shinto free of all suspicion… she knew that he had stabbed her after all… 

 

Hayato: But using that SOS button would have jeopardised all her efforts!

 

Jessie: {Sad} So you’re saying… that Yoko-chan decided against getting help in order to protect Shinto-kun?

 

Hayato: Correct… there’s no way she would have given up on her life so easily if she wasn’t scared that the true murderer would risk being caught. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Shinto! She wouldn’t have done this for anybody but you… she refused to call for help… she gave her life for yours. 

 

Hayato: And that’s because you’re the one who killed her… Shinto Masada, you’re the true blackened!

 

 

Shinto: {Sweating profusely, hand on collar} She r-really did that… 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} Y-Yoko… why? Why d-didn’t you get us to help you… 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I could have saved you… my only g-goal… was to save you. 

 

Shinto: {Grabs chest tightly, crazed} But I failed… I failed… I… I failed… I f-f-f-failed… I… I… I… 

 

Shinto: {Pulls hat over face, bends backwards} YOKOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

 

… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a)

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I’m sorry Shinto… truly I am.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Hopefully knowing the full truth will make this easier somehow. 

 

Shinto: {Collapsed, hand on podium trembling} … 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Shinto-kun… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Wh-Why… why does this have to happen…? 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Alright… we’ve had our final breakdown… I think you guys should get voting now!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Just be quiet will you?

 

Fusume: {Confident} It’s time to wrap this up don’t you think. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Yes, we should recap all the facts one more time… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Please, do that, man… 

 

I’ve learnt from experience that this is the only true way to end this. 

 

One last time… I must end this. For all of us. 

 

CLOSING STATEMENT BEGIN: 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTPdehG3xro)

 

Hayato: Here’s everything that happened in this case. 

 

Act 1

 

This case was made complex because of its accidental nature… the true killer was unaware of their crime and all the covering up and tampering of the crime scene was committed by several other students, all of them with their own goal in mind. 

 

The first protagonist of this case is Kenji who had decided to murder Raiko while she was trapped in the isolation room’s restraint chair in order to set us all free. 

 

In order to do so, he drugged my coffee with sleeping pills to make sure I wouldn’t be awake to witness his crime. 

 

As night time began, the boys and girls were separated into their respective wings due to Monokuma’s latest motive, but whilst most of us were going to sleep, a few of us stayed awake, this would be the prelude to the disaster that followed. 

 

Act 2

 

Tadao’s personality had been completely modified by Monokuma’s restoration of his memories. With full conscience of what happened in the year that was taken from us, he decided to commit suicide. 

 

However, it wasn’t enough for him to simply end his life, he decided to cause chaos by sending letters to each member of the ultimate couple, implying that the other’s life was in danger and arranging a meeting with them at the waterbath. 

 

Then at around 2:30 AM, Tadao used the automated ceiling’s mechanisms in the waterbath corridor in order to hang himself while getting rid of all evidence. As he kicked himself off the chair that supported him, the impact pulled on the corresponding lever and the chair was dragged inside the ceiling. 

 

Any evidence that implied suicide had disappeared thanks to his clever system. 

 

Act 3

 

As instructed in their letter, the killer arrived in the waterbath at 3:00 AM sharp only to discover Tadao’s dead body. 

 

Panicked and worrying that Yoko was responsible for his death because of the contents of the letter they received, the blackened decided to take the blame for the murder in order for her to survive the subsequent class trial. 

 

They therefore left the corridor in order to grab the golden katana in the infirmary where they, Reijiro and Kôzuke were sleeping. 

 

The problem was that 5 minutes later, while they were gone, Yoko arrived to the waterbath from the east side and also came face to face with the corpse. 

 

Because the two of them had such a similar way of thinking, Yoko also came to the conclusion that her boyfriend must have killed Tadao, which is why she too decided to tamper with the crime scene in order for his supposed crime to remain unnoticed. 

 

It’s under these circumstances that both members of the ultimate couple found themselves on either side of Tadao’s hanging corpse, unaware that the other was there in the first place. 

 

It’s this crucial misunderstanding that caused the subsequent tragedy. 

 

Act 4 

 

Just as Yoko was working on untying the noose from Tadao’s neck, her killer had prepared the katana to stab Tadao’s body in order to mislead us as to what his true cause of death was. 

 

Right before the culprit struck, they caught a glimpse of Yoko’s fan on Tadao’s chest which they mistook for a large bug. Suffering from a deep-rooted phobia of insects, they closed their eyes and stabbed Tadao. 

 

What they didn’t know was that they had put enough strength to impale Tadao completely, thus stabbing poor Yoko, who was standing on the other side of the hanging body, in the throat. 

 

As the culprit fled the scene, Yoko used her last ounces of strength in order to finish untying Tadao’s body and hide the rope he hanged from, her dying wish seemingly being to save the true killer, despite the fact that they had just accidentally caused her death. 

 

Act 5

 

After the killer came back in the infirmary, with the bloody sword in their hands, Kôzuke awoke to find the murder weapon right next to his sleeping bag. 

 

Worried and paranoid that he might have committed a murder while under the influence of Monokuma’s emotion motive, Kôzuke decided to cover his tracks by switching the katana with the east wing’s replica sword. 

 

He therefore crawled through the air vent that connected the infirmary and the spa and got to the east wing while bypassing Monokuma’s rule which explicitly mentioned “crossing the waterbath”

 

As an additional layer of security, Kôzuke wrapped his head in bandages in order not to be recognised, unfortunately for him, he was spotted by Oriana who managed to take a picture of him, mistakenly taking him for a “mummy”

 

After having switched the swords, the true murder weapon which had gone through both victims was now in the east wing, which made it impossible to trace it back to Tadao’s murder which was supposedly committed in the west wing. 

 

Act 6

 

Around that same time, Kenji decided to put his plan into action and cut the electricity in the building thanks to the main fusebox in order to set Raiko free, his moral compass keeping him from killing her while she remained defenseless. 

 

However, he too accidentally stumbled on Tadao’s body and he realised that it would be pointless to kill Raiko as there would already be a class trial for the murder. 

 

He therefore turned his plan around and decided to pin Tadao’s murder on Raiko in order to punish her for all her actions thus far. 

 

He therefore used the garden’s wheelbarrow to transport Tadao’s body from the waterbath to the isolation room where Raiko had been restrained all these days. What he wasn’t aware of was that Raiko had spotted him carrying the wheelbarrow as she left the room. 

 

He, too, took an extra precaution and picked up the wheelbarrow off the ground in order to avoid the wheelbarrow’s wet tracks to give away his manoeuvre. 

 

Finally, he positioned Tadao’s body into the restraint chair and turned the electricity back on in order to effectively trap the corpse in the chair. 

 

Having turned the electricity off beforehand, all the room’s security features had been deactivated and Kenji went completely off the grid as he did all this. 

 

This case’s true culprit might be the most innocent of all the protagonists in this affair as they were the only one without any dishonorable motives, their only goal being to protect Yoko.

 

However, their bad luck and poor timing ended up costing Yoko her life… and despite the fact that the murderer was completely unaware of the crime they had committed… 

 

{Hayato is seen looking sadly at a grey figure who is burying their face in their hands} 

 

The blackened can only be you… Shinto Masada, one half of the ultimate couple!

 

{Grey figure is revealed as Shinto} 

 

{BREAK}

 

… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a)

 

Shinto: {Collapsed, hand on podium trembling} …

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} It appears that it is finally over… what a truly troubling case. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Poor Yoko-chan… she didn’t deserve this… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Ggh… 

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} Alright, well done on the recap Hayato, now it’s time to get to voting!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Despite all your pestering, I finally agree… I don’t assume anybody’s got any objections now that we’re wrapped everything up. 

 

Shinto: J-Just… get it over with… I h-have no reason to live… anymore. 

 

Oriana: {Cries} N-No… p-please… 

 

Hayato: Alright, finally-

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11)

 

Raiko: {Graps podium, shaken} NO!

 

Huh?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What the fuck’s up now?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} We… we cannot vote! We… we… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What are you saying man!? We’ve covered literally everything!

 

Raiko: {Graps podium, shaken} No, that’s not true… there’s something… very wrong here. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What in god’s name are you talking about?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Raiko… what’s going on? I thought we’d been over all the inconsistencies. 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} As you were speaking just then… I realised that there’s a piece of evidence that we haven’t mentioned just yet. 

 

Raiko: {Grasps podium, shaken} And that piece of evidence… it’s making me doubt everything that we’ve concluded just now. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} WHAT!?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Doubt… everything?

 

A piece of evidence that could negate our conclusions… what could it be?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You need to trust me Hayato… there’s something wrong here, I can feel it. We cannot vote just yet. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Oh c’mon!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Just think of the one piece of evidence that hasn’t been addressed so far this trial and relate it to the events of the trial as a whole… and I think that maybe you’ll reach the same conclusions that I’ve reached 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Could this evidence… really destroy everything we’ve built so far?

 

Raiko: I’m afraid it might… I… I don’t know what this means. 

 

What… what does this mean?

 

A piece of evidence that hasn’t been mentioned at all in the trial… and that’s powerful enough to turn everything on its head. 

 

 

Oh no… could she be talking about… this?

 

I’m afraid to continue… I’d completely forgot about this piece of evidence… 

 

What… what does it mean?

 

Is this trial… really not over just yet!?



SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

 

TO BE CONTINUED 








Notes:

Oh boy, is there still more to this trial...? But the closing argument played, so it should be over shouldn't it?

It's not like there could be yet another big twist in this trial... right?

See you in the next one for the conclusion of Chapter three!

Chapter 40: Chapter 3 : At the Mercy of our Emotions : Class Trial part 5

Notes:

The chapter 3 finale is finally here, sorry for the slight delay.

Quick note for this chapter, you will see a new minigame in this one called Afterword but don't worry it's basically just the lovechild of the logic dive and that final quick thinking minigame thing in AA5-6

Enjoy :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34 )

 

{Select Monokuma File Inconsistencies} 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The Monokuma File… it’s incomplete isn’t it? 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Wh-What!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} Th-This… this is what you were talking about? 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Th-the… Monokuma file…? What do you mean man?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Yeah! What can you possibly mean…? The Monokuma File is top quality stuff!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Well… it might have been for the first two trials… but I’m not sure about that as far as this case goes!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} … 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Please… do tell us what is incomplete about the file. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} A great many things you’ll find… 

 

Oriana: {Shocked, hands covering face} Wh-What!?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical}  Cela n’a aucun sens! It’s the file’s precision that enabled us to find the truth in both Kyia-kun and Rina-chan’s trials! 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} So why would that be any different now!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Maybe that fucking bear just got overworked… with two separate autopsies to write y’know. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} I… didn’t… make… a… fucking… mistake!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} The fact that you’re getting so worked up over it makes it seem more likely you know! 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} … 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Ahem, let us get into just how incomplète this trial’s file really has been shall we? 

 

Raiko: Go ahead. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} First things first, We know that Tadao’s real cause of death was hanging and yet there is no mention of his neck injury in the file whatsoever!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} H-hey! That’s true! It only talks about him being impaled… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} In fact, neither victims’ cause of death was actually indicated in the file… which does seem odd since that is the very point of an autopsy. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} That’s… παράξενος!

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} W-Well… there’s a very logical explanation for that y’know… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Tell us then! What’s the reason!?

 

Monokuma: That’s uh… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} I’m not done… this isn’t even the important part. 

 

Shinto: {Livid} I-It’s… not? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The fact that both causes of death are missing is odd… and Tadao’s neck wound being omitted… it makes it look like Monokuma was trying to keep us from finding out how he died!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-But… wh-why would he d-do that!? If w-we didn’t figure that out w-we would have died!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Doesn’t that shit just defeat the whole purpose of this trial?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} A class trial… with incomplete information… how can there be justice… without the whole truth? 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy0JuVXTcUw )

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Alright, calm the fuck down!!!

 

Oriana: {Crying} Kyaaah! 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Y’all are getting hella worked up over a stupid fucking detail!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} We’re getting worked up? You should see yourself right now! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Fine! I may have gotten a few details wrong here and there… 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Maybe I am overworked! It’s hard running a killing game okay!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} You’re not getting our sympathy on this one… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You better explain yourself better than that! 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} There’s no other explanation… I literally just forgot to put it in there!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} And you want us to believe such an obvious lie…? 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Believe me or not! What the hell do I care!?

 

Monokuma: {Angry} The fact that I missed a tiny little detail in my file doesn’t change shit!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I-It doesn’t?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Of course it doesn’t! Whether Tadao hanged himself or not… Shinto still killed Yoko! He’s the blackened!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} So just freaking vote already! You’ve wasted enough of my time!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} W-Wait… you’re just confirming that Shinto’s the blackened…? But we haven’t voted yet?

 

Shinto: {Collapsed, hand on podium trembling} … 

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} H-Hey! I didn’t confirm anything! That’s just the conclusion you guys came to!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… you did just confirm it… you just said that he was the blackened. 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Argh…! What does that change! Just vote already!

 

Jessie: {Scared} Wh-Why… is he getting so angry about this?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} What’s going on here…?

 

This is… very weird… Monokuma’s behaviour makes no sense at all… unless… 

 

No… it can’t be… can it? 

 

… 

 

Oh my god… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Guys… I might be onto something big. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Interesting… do tell us more. 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} You’ve discussed enough dammit! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} Quiet! 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Grrrr!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} What’s up now…? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Well… if the only problem was Tadao’s missing wounds… it would have been odd, but nothing extraordinary… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} But there’s one more piece of information missing from the Monokuma File… and it’s a big one!

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Another piece of information man…? What are you talking about?

 

This is it… this is huge! I don’t know exactly what it means… but I think this is what Raiko wanted me to realise. 

 

Something… is very wrong here!

 

Hayato: {Determined} The crucial piece of information that wasn’t mentioned in the Monokuma File… it’s this 

 

{Yoko’s arm injury/Yoko’s time of death/Yoko’s leg injury}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Yoko’s arm injury

 

===

 

… 

 

This… this is… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yoko’s arm… it was heavily dislocated… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Wh-What?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} N-Now… why is this the first time I’ve heard of this?

 

Jessie: {Scared} Dislocated… but wouldn’t such an injury have to be mentioned in the file…? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} By definition yes, an autopsy should include all the notable injuries on the victim’s body… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} And yet, there’s no mention of it in the Monokuma File… 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} H-Hey… as I’ve said, bears ain’t perfect! This is just a slip up… I just forgot to include it, that’s all there is to it. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I-Is that… so?

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} No! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Hayato…? What’s wrong? 

 

Hayato: Monokuma… you’re lying! 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} M-Me?

 

For some reason… I just can’t quite explain, just as everything was starting to make sense in my mind… I felt a deep… deep anger straight to my core.

 

Monokuma’s lying to us, I know that for a fact. These mistakes weren’t accidental… like every single one of his actions, this was thought out… carefully planned by the true mastermind. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Yoko’s injury… it’s no accident! In fact… it’s the key to finally solve this case!

 

Jessie: {Sad} I… I thought we were done solving it already. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Yeah man, you’ve done your whole recap thing… aren’t we basically done here?

 

Shinto: {Collapsed, hand on podium trembling} J-Just… just end this… 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} That’s right! You’ve had long enough… it’s time to end this now. 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} No… not until the complete truth has been revealed. This isn’t… over!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} You… you… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… now that it has been brought up… do tell us what this “truth” of yours that we are missing really is all about. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah… and how is Yoko’s injury any different from Tadao’s?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Both Yoko’s arm and Tadao’s neck wounds were omitted from the file… but there is a crucial different between the two of them!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Th-There is…?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Definitely… even though it is odd that Tadao’s neck wound has been completely ignored by the file… but we already know how Tadao got that injury… it doesn’t add anything to the case. 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} The w-wound… it comes from when he hanged himself… 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} There is truly nothing surprising about this. It would be weirder if there was no injury on his neck. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} If that was the case, we would have dismissed the “suicide by hanging” theory in the first place. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Right, so that part of the file… it doesn’t tell us much. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Other than the fact that Monokuma’s an incompetent fuck… 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} H-Hey!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Yoko’s arm on the other hand… that’s a whole different story!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} H-How so? 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} O-Oh… Oh my god it’s true… we have no idea how Yoko’s arm actually got dislocated in the first place!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Exactly!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} I… I knew we hadn’t talked about it man! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical}  Une seconde s’il vous plaît!

 

Fusume: {Mediating} What is it Jessie? 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Well… Yoko-chan’s arm being dislocated… it’s not like Tadao-kun’s neck wound in that it doesn’t seem to be directly related with her death… does it? 

 

Jessie: {Determined, fiery eyes} Couldn’t it be that she hurt herself while she was alive… perhaps it’s simply unrelated to the case at hand and that’s why it’s not in the file to begin with!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} That… that does make some sense right? 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Could it really be unrelated to the case though…?

 

Yoko’s arm being injured… could simply have been a coincidence? 

 

… 

 

No… I don’t believe it!  

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yoko’s injury… I think it has everything to do with our case! 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} R-Really? 

 

Hayato: All you need to work that out is a rough idea of the condition of Yoko’s body… more specifically the way she was positioned. 

 

{Black and white frame of Yoko’s body floating in the waterbath, her position looks very unnatural as she laid on her side and her right arm looks awkwardly positioned above her head.} 

 

Hayato: Yoko’s position when we found her, it was truly quite odd… she looked almost peaceful… sleep perhaps, laying on her left hand side. 

 

Hayato: But her right arm… it ruined that illusion of peace… it’s twisted in a very unnatural way and there’s simply no way that she did that to herself. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} This is no coincidence! Yoko’s injury was clearly caused by a third party!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} A… th-third party? But who? 

 

There’s foul play here… to an extent we didn't suspect until now. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} If Yoko was laying naturally on her left hand side, then her right hand would have been positioned under her body right?

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} Y-Yes! {Shy look} Uh… that is h-how I’d d-d-do it… when I uh… sleep. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} And considering the fact that Yoko’s arm was… next to her body instead of under it… we can assume that it was dislocated when somebody yanked it from underneath her!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Y-Yanked it…? But why?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And more importantly… who? 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} That’s the real question here… it seems to me like there isn’t anybody who could have done it… at least according to our actual timeline. 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Nobody… could have done it?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s nonsense… if her arm really was pulled on hard enough to dislocate it… somebody must be responsible for that. 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} And yet… if you work it out by elimination… you’ll realise that there is nobody who fits the bill. 

 

By elimination…? 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} What the hell are you talking about?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Ugh… I really have to spell it out for you? Fine… let’s see here. 

 

{2D plan of everybody’s location on the night of the crime, when Raiko says a name, that person is crossed out on the map} 

 

Raiko: Okay so… on the girl’s side, we know from Hikari’s testimony that nobody except for Yoko went to the waterbath correct?

 

Hikari: Y-Yes… nobody went towards that corridor except for her!

 

Raiko: Which means that we can eliminate Fusume, Jessie and Oriana… if they didn’t go to the waterbath then they cannot be our mystery perp!

 

Jessie: R-Really…?

 

Raiko: Now, I know what you’re thinking… what if Hikari was lying?

 

Kôzuke: N-Nobody-

 

Raiko: We know that’s not the case because Oriana’s testimony matches hers!

 

Raiko: Which means that the person we’re looking for came from the west wing. 

 

Kenji: The west wing…? 

 

Raiko: Well, what do we know about the west wing? Reijiro can be eliminated because he wasn’t conscious… the same can be said for Hayato who didn’t leave the isolation room! 

 

Raiko: Next we have Kôzuke, who as we know was too busy putting on his little mummy act in the east wing to have been involved in this. 

 

Raiko: That leaves us with Kenji, Shinto and myself… both of them guys are already plenty involved with the murder and seeing that they’ve already confessed to their crime… I fail to see why either would exclude such a minor detail from their confession. 

 

Shinto: I… 

 

Raiko: And that leaves me… Raiko, and I guess that all I have to say for myself is that… I didn’t do it. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Raiko: {Giggles} And voila… it seems that nobody really could have inflicted that injury onto Yoko… all that thanks to elimination! 

 

That was… quite a show to see. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} So… maybe I was right and Yoko-chan did do this to herself… accidentally. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} If nobody could have done this to her then how is it related to the murder!

 

Kenji: {Furious} H-Hold your fucking… some of these explanations don’t fucking hold! 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Th-They dont?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I accept the people who Raiko eliminated through actual proof… but I mean some of that stuff is fully fucking shaky! 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Yeah? Like what? 

 

Kenji: {Furious} You for example? How is “I didn’t do it” gonna be accepted as proof!? You’ve got to prove that shit for us to believe that you’re not behind this! 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} The same could be said for you… I only excluded you because I don’t understand why you would have kept this from us… but perhaps I spoke too quickly!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} M-Me? I didn’t do shit! 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Ahem… How is “I didn’t do it” gonna be accepted as proof?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Don’t you go twisting my words you bitch!

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} That’s enough! 

 

… 

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched over podium} I’m… I’m sorry… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Bickering will not get us out of this… we must figure out calmly who inflicted that injury to the victim.

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} It… wasn’t me… all I did was s-stab the b-body… good g-god… 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, collapses slightly} Hnnnngh!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I don’t think Shinto-kun did this… it would go against everything we’ve said so far… but then, does that really mean it’s either Raiko-chan or Kenji-kun who injured Yoko? 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I guess so… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Not again… no more fighting please!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… I am afraid neither of them could be responsible!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} They couldn’t…? But that’s everybody ticked off the list then!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Reijiro… why do you say that? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} It is rather simple… we can rule out everybody who spent the night on the west wing… because of the waterbath’s red water. 

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} The water… what about it? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Well, as we have seen with the whole wheelbarrow incident, the coloured water leaves very visible traces on the corridor’s floor. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} If somebody from the west wing had stepped foot in the waterbath, we would have found red footprints coming out of it… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And the fact that we did not proves that nobody from the west wing could have inflicted those wounds on the victim! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} W-Wow, that does make sense… there definitely were no such footprints on the west side of the corridor… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} So… that means the three remaining guys can also be innocent! 

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} B-B-But… that also means th-that there’s uh… n-nobody left! 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Correct… following this line of logic, there is not a single person who could have gone to the waterbath and dislocated the victim’s arm! 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… I don’t understand… if none of us could have done it… then how? 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Maybe it was accidental… you know, like I’ve been saying for the past 15 minutes! 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} No… I’m sorry Jessie but somebody’s gotta be behind that injury… there’s no way that Yoko did this to herself! 

 

Hayato: {Determined} There’s definitely a guilty party behind all this! 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} You’re making no sense man! If nobody could have gone to the waterbath then how the heck could somebody other than herself have done this to her!? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… what you propose seems more and more impossible as we discuss it! 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Yeah… and seriously, why the fuck is this so important… inconsistency or not, we know who killed her! That’s all that fucking matters! 

 

Is… is that really so? Is what I’m saying… impossible? 

 

I won’t believe that Yoko’s arm was dislocated in such a brutal way by accident… someone did this to her… but whom… and how?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We’re waiting for an answer! 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Don’t choke now…

 

Hayato: Raiko?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} We’ve made it this far… and figuring out who did this to her… it might be the final piece of the puzzle… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Which means you better not give up now… not so close to the end! 

 

She… she’s right! 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I need to figure out who the guilty party is… I need to… think… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Bro… that shit’s impossible, we’ve just proved that none of us are possible suspects… there’s no way one of us did this to her! 

 

How… how do we bypass this impossibility?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Perhaps all we need… is to look at the bigger picture… and expand our suspect list… 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Expand our suspect list… ? You can’t be saying… 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Nonsense… could it be…? 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Raiko… what are you saying?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m… I’m confused man… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I’m saying that injuring Yoko post-mortem might have been impossible for the ten of us… but perhaps it’s time to suspect the person who’s been trying to avoid this subject… 


Raiko: {Grimace} The one who’s got the most to lose… and the one who tried to manipulate the trial from the beginning!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} N-No way… 

 

Can this be… the truth we were seeking from the beginning…? This… this is insane!

 

Hayato: Our main suspect… it’s… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Say it…! 

 

Hayato: {Determined} D-Dammit! It’s you!

 

{Raiko/Monokuma/Hayato}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Monokuma

 

===

 

… 

 

… 

 

… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU )

 

Monokuma: {Angry} WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Hayato-kun… did you just say that Monokuma’s your suspect?

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} What… what the fuck? 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} What did you just say to me? 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} How dare you…? 

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaaaaah! The bear’s… all s-scary!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Wait a second please man… what are we accusing Monokuma of exactly? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You pretend… that he is the one who dislocated the victim’s arm? 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} And why the fuck would I do that? I don’t get involved with the murders remember!? It’s in the fucking rules!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} And yet… nobody other than you could have done it… 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} This is… ridiculous… how dare you…?

 

Monokuma: Not once… in the history of killing games… did somebody dare to involve me… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} You’ll regret this… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} … *gulp* 

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} I d-don’t understand… what any of th-this means! 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} It means that our captor might have broken his only rule… and has somehow gotten involved in this case!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Is… is that really possible? 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Monokuma doesn’t really seem like the type to break rules you know… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Maybe so… but the fact still stands that he’s the only one who could have dislocated Yoko’s arm!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Complete… and absolute… bullshit! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} If you really are responsible for this… then you should just admit it. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} We can’t end the trial until you tell us the truth… 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} I… I don’t know what you’re talking about! No joke! 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Heh, you were the one talking about us wasting your time… but now perhaps you should quit wasting ours! 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Well what the hell would you have me do? 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I don’t know… maybe stop acting like a little bitch and stop lying to us!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} I’m not lying! There’s no reason for me to get involved with you bastards and your pathetic lives alright!?

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Uh… i-isn’t th-that pretty much wh-what you h-have been doing for the p-past two weeks?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Sh-Shut up!

 

Oriana: {Cries} K-Kyaaaah! S-S-Sorry!

 

We won’t get anywhere if this back and forth continues… we need to get the truth out of Monokuma… and there’s only one way to do that. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Monokuma… if you’re really telling us the truth, I assume you won’t have any problems testifying for us will you?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} M-Me… testifying? 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} That’s a good idea! If he genuinely didn’t get involved… then we should make him prove it! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Me…? I have to prove myself…?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Upupupu… Monokuma… a suspect… in a class trial? That’s ridiculous… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I wouldn’t say suspect… after all, this doesn’t exactly change the fact that Shinto killed Yoko… 

 

Shinto: {Grabs chest tightly, crazed} It’s all… pointless. 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Upupupupupupupupu… I have to testify… in only the third class trial…? So early in the game… 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Nyahahahahahahahah! The despair of it all! The headmaster is dragged into the battlefield while the students desperately hope for a happy ending!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} It feels so damn… exhilarating!!!

 

Oh boy… looks like he’s going bonkers… assuming he wasn’t insane to start with. 

 

Either way, this can only mean one thing… 

 

He’s hiding something… and I’m gonna find out what that is! 

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t )

 

{Truth Bullets : Monokuma’s account, Kenji’s account, Mysterious letter, Monokuma File inconsistencies, Shinto’s real account} 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Y’all wanna challenge my authority huh?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Uh… that’s not exactly what this is about… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I know what it’s about… it’s about you bastards clinching so desperately to your puny little hope that you want to change the rational ending of this trial!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What… what are you t-talking about man? 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} It’s not because I keep quiet that I’m not following what’s going on!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} It’s been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that Romeo killed Juliet and you guys don’t like that! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} For once… the blackened isn’t some despicable entity but rather, it’s your friend who made an honest mistake! 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} But you bastards want your happy ending so bad that you want to change the facts!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Wouldn’t it be so much easier if the big bad Monokuma was to blame? 

 

Hikari: Well-

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} The truth is that there’s not a shred of evidence to imply that I have something to do with this… 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Working it out by elimination upupupu… my ass! 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} In my courtroom we only accept concrete evidence! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} So go ahead… show me what you’ve got!

 

 

Dammit… he’s good… 

 

All of his statements are so broad that they feel impossible to counter… 

 

And yet, there’s got to be a weak spot I can press on… it’s the only way!

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Kenji’s account → The truth is that there’s not a shred of evidence

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0

 

That’s… that’s it!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Monokuma… you’re wrong! 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} M-Me…? Wrong?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Don’t feel so good does it? 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Heh, you’ve heard your good share of “you’re wrong!” haven’t you Kenji…? 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Talk about hitting someone when they’re down… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I’m pretty sure that saying doesn’t really fit with the current situation… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Quiet, all of you!!!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato… are you saying that there’s evidence against Monokuma?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You’re damn right there is!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Nonsense, there could be no such evidence… after all, I have done nothing wrong. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} You can say that… and yet, I’ve got proof to back me up on this! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} … Continue… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} As we’ve stated before… it was impossible for anyone of us to enter the waterbath after Yoko was stabbed and injure her arm in such a brutal way… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} And that’s why he suspected Monokuma… if none of us could have done it then he’s the only one left. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} However, there was one problem with that explanation, as Jessie had imagined, Yoko could theoretically have inflicted these wounds to herself. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I told you so! 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Where is this going exactly? 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Just let me finish… please!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} I’m uh… not s-sure that I uh… f-f-follow… h-how does that prove Monokuma’s uh… i-involvement?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I’m going over this because it shows you that the main flaw in my accusation against Monokuma was the possibility that Yoko’s arm injury was self-inflicted… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} But that single flaw collapses if you find a way to prove that a third party simply had to be involved!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} You… can you prove that? 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} He obviously can’t… he’s just bluffing. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} If you could prove that… it would definitely be hard for Monokuma to argue his way out of it… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Well, I think that I can prove it… and it’s all thanks to you Kenji! 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Me…? What did I do exactly?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} You’re finally gonna make yourself useful… embrace it! 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} As we’ve made clear earlier in the trial… Kenji is heavily involved with the aftermath of the murder.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Correct, he was the one who moved the first victim’s body to the isolation chamber… 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} Right… we’ve been over this already… why are you bringing it up again? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Sorry Kenji… but the fact that you tampered with the crime scene makes you a very important witness! 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Is that so?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Ggh… what did Kenji witness exactly…?

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} I… I’m not sure what you’re talking about… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Did he… really witness something of importance?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} No, he didn’t… and that’s exactly the point I’m trying to make!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You don’t mean… that’s… that’s… 

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaah! I’m c-confused! 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Then let me make my point clear for you… 

 

{Black and white frame of Kenji kneeling next to Tadao} 

 

Hayato: When Kenji entered the waterbath at 3:45 AM, he found Tadao’s dead body on the floor and then proceeded on with his plan… correct?

 

Kenji: Yeah… that’s basically what happened. 

 

{Next frame, Shinto can be seen leaning against the wall neighbouring the waterbath corridor, sword in hand, on the other side Yoko is working at getting Tadao down, her fan in her right hand resting against Tadao’s chest as her left hand is on the rope}

 

Hayato: Now based on our proposed timeline… by 3:45, Yoko was already long dead and Shinto was already back in the infirmary. 

 

Fusume: Yes… and judging by the fact that Tadao’s body was on the floor we can know for a fact that Yoko had already done her part… 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} Yeah… that resumes pretty well how it all went down… but why does it matter?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} You’re just wasting time aren’t you…? You know that you’re pretty much screwed. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Actually… if you had paid attention to what he just said, you might have realised that you are the one who is, in fact, “screwed”. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Reijiro…? You know where Hayato’s going with this!?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} It should be evident to all of you… that recap just then is sufficient proof of Monokuma’s involvement. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-But… h-how?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato… say it! 

 

Everything’s on the line now… here goes nothing. 

 

Hayato: This all matters because it proves one thing… it proves that something that should have been in the waterbath when Kenji entered it at 3:45 was missing!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Something was missing… de quoi parle t’il?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} … 

 

This… I think it might be the key to finally solving this case!

 

Hayato: The “thing” that was missing… it’s this! 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Monokuma File #3 & 4

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Determined} That thing wasn’t a thing at all… it was Yoko’s body! 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Y-Yoko-chan’s… body?

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} What… what are you talking about? 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} As I’ve just said, Kenji came in at 3:45… which means that he should have seen Yoko’s body on the waterbath floor! 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} J-Jeez… that’s right! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} By that time, Yoko had been dead for over half an hour… her body definitely should have been there! 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I’m guessing we won’t accept the fact that Kenji just missed her body right? 

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} N-No, I didn’t miss shit! I took a damn good look around the corridor to see if anybody else was there… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Her body… it definitely wasn’t there! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} No… no way!!

 

Oriana: {Trembling} H-Her… body… d-d-d-disappeared!? H-How is that p-possible?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Yeah! A body can’t just vanish like that! There’s no way that Yoko-chan was just gone!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Exactly, her body couldn’t have disappeared on its own… which means that somebody had to make it disappear… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} And that somebody… it’s you, Monokuma!

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Ggh!!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} You’re… you’re formally accusing Monokuma? 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} His only defense was that we had no proof that a third party was involved… but the fact that Yoko’s body was gone when Kenji entered the corridor, that proves that somebody had to be there to hide her body!

 

Hayato: {Determined} And as we’ve determined, none of us could have done that… which means that Monokuma’s the only possible suspect!

 

Monokuma: {Sad} … 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Now hold on a second… why would Monokuma try to hide the body to begin with? 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} What does he have to gain from doing such a thing…? 

 

Truth is… I’m not quite sure just yet. 

 

Monokuma: {Seething} … 

 

But there’s no doubt anymore… Monokuma’s the only one… 

 

And now the question that remains is why he’s trying so hard to hide something to benign… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} At the moment… it’s quite hard to decipher exactly why Monokuma did this… but the fact remains that only he could have hidden Yoko’s body between 3:05 and 3:45! 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} So Monokuma really did injure Yoko… that sort of development is unheard of! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} You dare… to accuse me? 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} C’mon, not this evil mastermind shit again… just defend yourself instead of acting all outraged!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Monokuma… needs to defend himself? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Just say something!

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} … 

 

Hayato: {Determined} If you won’t admit what happened… then we definitely can’t get this vote underway just yet! 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Just… end the trial… already!

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} That simply shall not happen until we have a complete grasp of the truth… the full truth!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} D-Damn right! And it’s not gonna be like that until you admit what you did!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} R-Right! Speak up Monokuma! If you can’t prove that somebody other than yourself could have hidden Yoko’s body and injured her arm in the process…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Then you’re pretty much done for!

 

… 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} … 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} D-Did you not hear us?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} upupupupupupupu… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Hey! What the fuck’s so funny? 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Nyahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Done for!? I’ll never be done for! Don’t you get it!?

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} G-G-Get wh-what?

 

Monokuma: {Seething} You simply… cannot stop me!!!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Wh… WHAT!? 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I make the rules here… got it? I don’t need to explain myself if I don’t feel like it. 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} So… you’re not going to defend yourself?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Nah, I’ve given y’all enough time. Which means that now… the choice is yours!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Choice… what choice?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Vote for Shinto… or die!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} WHAAAAAT!?

 

Jessie: {Scared} Wh-What does this mean?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You’re… forcing our hand!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Of course I am! I’m running out of patience here!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} The class trial’s for you bastards to doubt and fight among each other… not for you to suspect me! 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} The fact that you think that me, Monokuma, who stands above you miserable bastards… would stoop so low as to personally hide one of your victims’ body before bringing it back 5 minutes later… it’s all just laughable! 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} What would the point in all that be!? Tell me! 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} upupu… Monokuma… would personally dirty his hands… and carry a body by himself… ridiculous. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} It might sound ridiculous… but it’s the truth! Nobody other than you could have done it! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} And yet… your little crusade is over. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Vote now… or I’ll execute you on the spot!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You have to let us finish what we’ve started!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} I don’t have to do anything! However you… have to vote right freaking now. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} If you want to survive that is… 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} We’re so damn close… you… you can’t shut us down like that. 

 

Monokuma: {Seething} The tablets… vote. NOW!

 

Raiko: {Closes umbrella on face} NGHHHHHHHAAAAH!

 

… 

 

Do we really… not have a choice? Are we really going to be forced into killing off Shinto when we’re missing a part of the story?

I don’t want to… but if it’s that or mass execution… what choice is there?

 

Shinto: Maybe… y-you should just… d-do it… I have n-no reason to l-live… anymore. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Shinto-kun… 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Vote for me… don’t risk your own lives for mine… my existence is meaningless… that’s the truth… of it… 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} I killed the only person who truly sparked joy in my heart… and n-now… I can’t live without her… 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} So vote! Vote for me dammit! It’s not worth… r-risking… valuable lives… 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} You see, at least one person’s still sane enough to see what y’all are supposed to do!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Such a shame he won’t last too much longer… I liked the kid-

 

Reijiro: {Tightens fist, exasperated} Silence!

 

Oriana: R-Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Tightens fist, exasperated} I… will not let you!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} What now!?

 

Reijiro: {Points as Shinto} You!

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} … 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Every single one of our lives… has value… I will not let it go to waste!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} So what are you suggesting!?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I say… we hold on voting just a moment more. 

 

Jessie: R-Really?

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Um… when exactly in my ultimatum did I make it sound like you bastards had a choice?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} One more line of questioning… that is all I ask!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} If you are as innocent as you claim… that should not be a issue right?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} That’s not the problem-

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Just imagine it Monokuma… the sheer and utter despair that we’ll feel after you execute Shinto… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} What…?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Wouldn’t you say… that such a feeling of despair would hit us just a bit harder if you gave us one last illusion of hope…? 

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Huh… when you put it that way… 

 

Oh my… I see what Raiko’s doing… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Give us one last shot Monokuma… one last and then we’ll vote!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Amplified despair… that’s what you want isn’t it?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} One… last… chance… 

 

Monokuma: … 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Fine… you convinced me. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} It… it worked? 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} The thought of you bastards grasping at straws one last time in order to take me down… it does have a certain appeal to it… 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} So go ahead… amuse me! 

 

Shinto: {Collapsed, hand on podium trembling} Hnngh… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} … 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} I won’t wait around all day! Hit me with what you’ve got! Now!!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} We… we… we must find a final way to prove Monokuma’s involvement… there’s no room for mistake!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato… do you have anything for us…? 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I… I… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Come on now… the answer is right in front of you!

 

Hayato: It is…?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} The bear’s only argument… is that it would have been too much of a hassle for him to personally hide the victim’s body… but there is a way around that… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Wouldn’t you agree?

 

A… a way around it?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} That’s… bullshit, it’s not like that’s my only defense… *gulp*

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Bro… you literally don’t have a defense! That’s why you’re trying to shut us up!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Wait… I’m confused… are you saying Monokuma could have hidden Yoko’s body… without doing it himself?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It is… even simpler than that!

 

Oriana: S-Simpler?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Yes… a way for the bear to hide the body, without ever even touching it!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} That’s impossible man!

 

A way… to hide the body without touching it…? 

 

Does such a mechanism exist…? And if so… could this be the final proof of Monokuma’s involvement…? 

 

Think, Hayato… think!

 

===

 

(Music:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csp8A4G7y-c )

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

Question: How was Yoko’s body hidden?

 

-----

 

B O T L O D E A L K W E I R 

 

===

 

… 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : B L O O D  L I K E  W A T E R

 

===

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU )

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands over head} Y-Yes, that’s it!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} You… you’ve f-figured it o-out?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You’re right Reijiro… Monokuma could definitely have hidden Yoko’s body without touching it… in fact, he could have done it without even moving the body!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Wh-what!? 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That’s ridiculous… if he didn’t move it out of the corridor… then I would have seen it!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I don’t know man… the corridor’s got literally no obstacles… I find it hard to imagine that Kenji could have missed it!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Well, if the body was left into the open then sure… it would be hard to miss… but as I said, Monokuma did hide the body! 

 

Hayato: {Determined} He just didn’t have to move the body in order to do so!

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} What… what the hell are you talking about?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} You all remember the motive from two nights’ ago… the emotion of “fear”

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} H-How… could we forget?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} One of Monokuma’s gimmicks for the motive was changing the waterbath’s colour from transparent to a thick red tint… thus leading us to mistake it for blood.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah… I remember that, so what? 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Well… it means that the night of the murders, the waterbath’s water… was opaque!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} O-Opaque?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You can’t be implying… 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} That’s… that’s genius!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Guys! I don’t get it… stop being so surprised already!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The water was meant to resemble blood, which means it wasn’t see through… and that creates an easy trick in order to hide an object… or a body!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} All you had to do was raise the water level until the body was completely submerged… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} And just like that… the body was gone!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} That’s ridiculouuuus!

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} You mean that I missed the body… even though it was still there?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Kenji… that’s completely plausible! 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Can you perhaps remember if the water level was high when you found Tadao’s body?

 

Kenji: I… I think it was!

 

{Black and white frame of Kenji kneeling next to Tadao} 

 

Kenji: When I saw him, he was there… sat against the wall… which means that his upper body stuck out from the water!

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} My point exactly… even at the highest water setting, Tadao’s body would still be visible… however, Yoko, who was lying on the floor… her entire body could be covered by the blood like water… and that would be enough to hide it completely from Kenji’s line of sight!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} What… a sm-smart… m-mechanism!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} If the water level was high when Kenji entered the room… then it’s all starting to make sense. 

 

Rakio: {Serious glare} The water level was raised before Kenji’s entrance… and then lowered after he left… and just like that the body appeared and disappeared at will! 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} That’s… ridiculous! 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} Is it really? I think it makes perfect sense!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} This argument negates your previous defense… and the fact that you installed this red water means you were perfectly aware of its existence!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} That doesn’t make it ridiculous in my book!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} You still have no explanation for why the heck I’d even do something like this in the first place!

 

Monokuma: {Seething} Fine, you got me! The possibility exists… but it doesn’t make any sense for me to get involved dammit!

 

Jessie: {Scared} … 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I’m not a participant in the killing game… I don’t… get… involved! I just watch you guys suffer… I’m a watcher, not a player!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} So what would you say if I could justify your motives… right now!

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} B-Bullshit! 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Can you really?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You know… Monokuma’s motive for hiding the body? 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So he… he really did have a reason? 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Of course he did!

 

Monokuma: {Seething} … 

 

Everything’s starting to fall into place… I think I finally understand what has happened here… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Tell us… tell us now!

 

It’s all coming together… The reason for Monokuma’s involvement… as well as the reason for him desperately hiding it from us… 

 

There can only be one reason… 

 

It’s time to think it through… one more time! 

 

AFTERWORD BEGINS

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP7r1TVINsg )



Q1: Who’s the most likely suspect in tampering with the water level?

{Monokuma/Tadao/Yoko}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Monokuma



Q2: Why would he want to hide Yoko’s body from Kenji?

{Kenji wasn’t supposed to find it/Monokuma was protecting Shinto/Monokuma wanted to complexify the case}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Monokuma wanted to complexify the case



Q3: What’s the major problem with him hiding the body?

{It makes him a liar/It means he broke one of his rules/It means he saved Shinto’s life}

 

 

 

 

Answer: It means he broke one of his rules

 

===

 

Yes… he broke rule #14 by interfering in the killing game… 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} … 

 

That can’t be all… he’s panicking too much for a simple rule transgression… there’s got to be something more… 

 

I need to go deeper!

 

AFTERWORD RESUMES

 

Q4: What else has been suspicious in Monokuma’s behaviour? 

{His nervousness/The inconsistencies in the Monokuma File/His face} 

 

 

 

 

Answer: The inconsistencies in the Monokuma File



Q5: What crucial piece of information was missing from the file? 

{Time of death/Place of death/Cause of death}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Cause of death

 

… 

 

We know that Tadao hung himself to death… but Yoko… could it be?

 

FINAL QUESTION

 

Q6: What is Yoko’s true cause of death? 

{Drowning/Blood loss/Poisoning}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Drowning

 

… 

 

CONCLUSION : MONOKUMA ACCIDENTALLY DROWNED YOKO

 

{BREAK}

 

I… I’ve got it!

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Hayato: {Determined} Monokuma! You’re Yoko’s true killer!!!

 

… 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} WHAAAAAAT!?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Are… are you crazy!?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Wh-What did you say?

 

Monokuma: {Angry} First an injury… and now you’re accusing me of murder!?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You’re damn right… and that’s because you’re the true blackened in this case!

 

Hikari: Monokuma’s the blackened…? That’s not a possible outcome is it? 

 

Oriana: {Crying} I’m c-c-c-confused!!!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Hayato… you’ve got to tell us what you mean!

 

Monokuma: {Seething} I’m okay with you accusing me of injuring someone… but you’re saying… that I’m the blackened… me? Monokuma?

 

Monokuma: {Angry} THAT WON’T BE TOLERATED!!!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato… how exactly did he kill her? I thought that all we were accusing him of doing was dislocating Yoko’s arm and raising the water level!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} How exactly does that change the fact that Shinto stabbed Yoko?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Are you like… changing up your argument Hayato-kun?

 

Hayato: {Determined} No, my theory stays the same… Monokuma raised the waterbath’s level… and in doing that he killed Yoko!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You’re… saying that she drowned?

 

Hayato: She did! And that’s why Monokuma was trying to hide this from all of us… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Because in raising the water level for his own amusement… in order to make the case just a little bit more complicated… he ended up accidentally killing Yoko was was still alive as she bled out on the floor! 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, collapses slightly} You’re insane! I stabbed her… I… I killed her!

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} I can’t deny the fact that you did in fact stab Yoko… but as we know… she didn’t die instantly!

 

{Black and white of Yoko crawling on the waterbath floor} 

 

Hayato: She was bleeding out as you left but the wound was shallow… which means she didn’t die instantly!

 

{The water level starts increasing}  

 

Hayato: Monokuma was careless, assumed that she was already dead so he rose the water level!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: And Yoko… who was still alive at the time drowned in the bath’s water!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} But… the water level rises very slowly… surely she could have gotten her head out of the water in time!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Don’t you get it!? She let herself drown… on purpose!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} On… purpose?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} By letting the water submerge her and purposefully allowing herself to drown… she was saving Shinto’s life!

 

Shinto: {Grabs chest tightly, crazed} Wh-What…? 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} She must have known that Shinto wasn’t the one who increased the water level… which meant that if she was killed by the water, Shinto wouldn’t be considered the blackened anymore!

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} I’m… n-not the blackened?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} No matter why she did it… the point remains that whoever altered the bath’s water intake is the true blackened!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And considering that this person was the one who tried hiding Yoko’s body… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Monokuma! You’re the only one! You accidentally murdered Yoko… you’re the true blackened, not Shinto!

 

… 

 

… 

 

… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grabs medals} … 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} … 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} … 

 

We all awaited in awe for the bear’s answer to my accusation… 

 

There’s no doubt in my mind… something huge had to be going on for Monokuma to deny his involvement to such an extent… and there’s nothing bigger than murder in this place!

 

The truth is that this case’s culprit wasn’t one of us… it was Monokuma! 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} So uh… should we vote for Monokuma-

 

Monokuma: {Seething} BE QUIET!!! 

 

Oriana: Kyaaah!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME!? MONOKUMA… CANNOT BE THE BLACKENED… IT GOES AGAINST EVERYTHING THE KILLING GAME STANDS FOR!!!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} And yet it’s the truth… you’re not supposed to interfere… but you couldn’t help yourself!

 

Hayato: You want these murders to be entertaining for you, you saw the potential in Kenji’s discovery of Tadao’s body… and so you tried hiding Yoko’s body… thus accidentally killing her!

 

Hayato: {Determined} That also explains why you tried rushing us into an early vote… you wanted us to convict Shinto of your crime!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} He might have been the main cause of Yoko’s death… but according to your stupid rules, the official blackened… it’s you!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} You can’t accuse me! I won’t allow it! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I warned you about going further with this bullshit… and now, I’m going to make you regret stepping up to me in the first place!

 

It’s you against me Monokuma… time to prove your guilt in this case once and for all! 

 

PANIC TALK ACTION

 

BEGIN

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSdokoS408s)

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Don’t you get it? I can’t be the blackened!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} In order for that to be the case… it would mean that I participated in the killing game!

 

Monokuma: {Seething} I make the rules… you get that!? I don’t get involved… and I don’t commit murders! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} This trial’s not about me! It’s about making you bastards suffer!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} You’re just involving me in order to get your stupid little happy ending!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} I’ll have you all killed for disrespecting me like that!

 

FINAL STRIKE

 

Monokuma: Can you even prove that it wasn’t one of you bastards who messed with the waterbath’s level? 

 

… 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Oh and don’t you even think about trying to get to me by rearranging a dumb four word sentence… 

 

Monokuma: {Seething} You wanna get to me… you better have evidence to back yourself up!!!

 

… 

 

… 

 

… 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Control panel

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up on face} IT’S OVER FOR YOU!

 

… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 )

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I’ve finally found it… the irrefutable piece of evidence that finally proves your guilt!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Such a piece of evidence… doesn’t exist! 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} You want me to prove that none of us could have changed the bath’s level… and I can do that!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} H-How man? 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} We only had one way to change the water level… and that’s through the appropriate lever on the control panel!

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Yeah, that much is true… and so what?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} A simple look at the lever will prove my point… it’s completely covered in a thick coat of dust… which means that it wasn’t used at all in the last few days! 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Is… th-that so?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} The lever wasn’t used…? But then how is it even possible that the water level was changed?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} And… how exactly does this prove Monokuma’s guilt?

 

Hayato: {Determined} Because there’s only one individual who could have altered the water level without needing to use the control panel!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} … 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I’m sure you all know what I’m talking about… after all, he boasted to us about this special power of his not that long ago! 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: To assist in your investigation I’ll drain the waterbath… that was you won’t have to step in and out of it and leave disgusting red footprints everywhere!

 

He snapped his fingers and… 

 

{The water level slowly goes down until Yoko’s body is completely in view}

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} You now have have all the tools in hand to solve this…  devilish deed. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} You were right… by showing us that you could alter the bath’s level without using the control panel… you gave us the final tool in solving the devilish deed… your devilish deed!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} … 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} We know that somebody must have hidden Yoko’s body from view before 3:45… and the only one who could have done that is you… 

 

Hayato: And the fact that you’ve kept her cause of death hidden from us tells us that she didn’t actually die the seemingly obvious way: blood loss. 

 

Hayato: No, the truth is that she was killed by the rising water level as she let the red liquid consume her. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Yoko drowned… and the one who killed her… the true blackened… it’s you, Monokuma!

 

… 

 

{Scene goes back to the normal format} 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Is… is that it? 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} … 

   

Jessie: {Sceptical} Is he not going to insult us… or do something?

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy0JuVXTcUw )

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} …pu…pu…pu… 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} What… what was that?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Upupupupu… 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Nyahahahaha… *ahem* KYAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} … 

 

That might have been… the most intense we’ve heard him laugh. 

 

Oriana: Wh-What’s going on…?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} CONGRATUFUCKINGLATIONS! You got it right once again!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Really…?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} The sublime specimen who offed Yoko was none other than myself… Monokuma first of his name!

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} You… you… 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Don’t you get mad at me Romeo! I may have officially caused her death… but she still wouldn’t have died if you hadn’t gone all stabby-stab on her ass!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} What happened… to not getting involved?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} My objective wasn’t to involve myself in the murder… I saw an opportunity to add a bit of excitement to the case… but that bitch tricked me!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} B-B-Bitch?

 

Monokuma: {Angry} She just suddenly stopped moving y’know… I didn’t go back to HQ to check that she was 100% dead, how was I supposed to know that the broad was just faking it…

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} D-Don’t… say that!

 

Monokuma: {Sad} I guess you could say that she took it like a champ… she let the water take her and she drowned… 

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Once I realised that it was my mistake that killed her… I realised that the trial was fucked… with creeper boy having killed himself, there would be two deaths and no real blackened!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Which is why I doctored the crime scene in order to hide my involvement… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I grabbed Juliets bloody hand and wiped it against the wall in order to make y’all think that she had tried reaching the control panel and that she was the one who rose the water level. 

 

Monokuma: {Sad} If only I’d seen that stupid dust layer… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} So it really was you who dislocated her arm!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Of course it was me! Who else would you want it to be!?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I obviously couldn’t have that injury appear in the file though… nor could I let you guys know that she drowned… which is why I had to put my professional integrity to the side and publish an incomplete Monokuma file!   

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… and I suppose that the inconsistencies with the first victim’s injury were added in order to make it seem like a continuous mistake!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Obviously so, if the errors only concerned Yoko then you bastards would have figure something out… well, I guess it was all for nothing… upupupu!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I c-can’t believe that uh… M-Monokuma’s the b-blackened! Th-That’s never h-happened before!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Well, technically, I’m not the “blackened” since that term only applies to the participants of the killing game… but I guess that yes, that term should apply to me. 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} I am the person who ultimately caused her death by drowning… even though Tadao, Shinto and herself all played part in her demise! 

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} I’m s-so… sorry… 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Oh don’t apologize! To be fair, it’s been a lovely experience!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Hey, he’s not apologizing to you, asshole! 

 

Monokuma: It’s true though, you can’t imagine the excitement of taking a life and having to get away with it… such tension… such pleasure!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I think I’m gonna puke… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} This entire class trial… was based on a lie? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You made us doubt each other… and get at each other’s throat… when there was no blackened?

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Hey, first of all, it’s not like y’all are all sinless little creatures… about half the guys in the group acted with malicious intent during this case!

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} … 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} … 

 

This guy… this whole thing’s a joke to him… even though he’s admitting that he killed one of our friends… a human being… 

 

And despite the fact that he was the guilty party… he still made us go through this stupid class trial… in which we all risked our lives!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} C’mon guys, don’t make such gloomy faces… this was fun!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Even I can’t acknowledge the fun of such cowardly actions… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Raiko-chan?

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Hey, I’m no coward! I’m taking full responsibility for my actions you know… even though the stakes are practically nonexistent considering that I make the rules!  

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} You’re just upset because you didn’t mastermind the case for once in your life!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Looks like this bear’s been smarter than you this time around, and you know what they say… only the smart ones survive! 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} … 

 

… 

 

We all exchanged worried looks… completely silent. What could be said in such a situation? We had been completely played by the bear… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} And so it ends, the third class trial, the holidays of mutual killing’s double murder… the trial concludes on an unprecedented twist!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} The beastly blackened was none other than the boisterous bear Monokuma himself! How absolutely shocking!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} I have to applaud you bastards for pushing on and figuring it out the truth… I didn’t think you’d have the stones!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Such a shame that exposing me as the killer means nothing in the grand scheme of things… 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} You’ve bragged about your “achievements” for long enough… if we’re done here then can you just let us go?

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Done here? Who said we were done here?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} You’ve admitted your guilt! We’ve finished exposing the truth behind the case… and there is no blackened and therefore no execution… what else can you do to us?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} She’s right… we’re done here… just open the fucking doors already-

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} …pu…pu…pu… 

 

Oh god… what now?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-Why… why is h-he laughing?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Upupupupupupupupu!!!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Bear! What reason do you have for keeping us trapped in this courtroom? We have done everything that you ask of us!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Tell me… google translate… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} H-Hey! That’s not my name!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} You’ve just made a very bold assumption, you know that?

 

Jessie: {Scared} What did I say…? 

 

Monokuma: You said… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} You said that there would be no execution!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What… what are you implying!?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I’m not implying shit! I’m telling you straight up, this trial won’t end without an execution! 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} It is tradition after all… 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} An… execution? But you’re the killer, there is no blackened… why would there be an execution!?

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Because I say so… and trust me that’s reason enough!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} But… if there is no blackened… then who will you have executed…?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} That’s a simple question, I’m going to use my patented “Derived Causation” clause that I totally didn’t just come up with a few minutes ago!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Derived causation… the heck is that?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} In layman’s term… it basically means that in the case of a trial without a blackened, the resident who’s most responsible in the victim’s death will be executed! 

 

Fusume: {Hands covering face} Wh-What!? That’s unfair!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Monokuma! That completely contradicts the rules of the game!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Who gives a shit about the rules! I can break as many rules as I want!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Ngh… 

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} What… what does this mean…?

 

No… I… I can’t accept this!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} It means… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} It means that Shinto’s going on the chopping board! 

 

Shinto: M-Me?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Of course you… if I hadn’t touched the water level, you would be this trial’s blackened… in fact, you’re spotless only by chance… which means that you’re basically the next best blackened in my book!

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} That’s… that’s not how this work!

 

Jessie: {Crying} You can’t kill Shinto-kun! He’s innocent!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} N-No… 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I don’t think you guys understand… so I’ll say it again, I make the rules here… I can do whatever I please… 

 

NO!

 

Monokuma: Now, if you haven’t got any objections… or even if you do, I don’t really care… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I’ve prepared a very special punishment for Shinto Masada, one half of the ultimate couple!

 

Fusume: {Desperate} No! Don’t do this!!!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Enough of this Monokuma! Stop it now!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} N-No… please stop. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Let’s give it everything we’ve got!

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} Is… is it my fault after all…?

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, collapses slightly} HNNNGH!!! YOKOOOO!!

 

Hayato: Stop this madness Monokuma! He’s not the blackened!

 

I… I can’t make him stop… I can’t save Shinto… 

 

I… I’m powerless… 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} It’s… PUNISHMENT TI-

 

*BANG*

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} The hell… the hell was that? 

 

Just as Monokuma was about to slam his gavel… thus sending Shinto to his certain death, a deafening sound burst into the courtroom.

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} What the fuck!?

 

We all turned to the source of the sound to see a small hole in one of the courtroom far walls, its edges charred as if an explosion had just occured.

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaaaah! We’re all gonna die!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Monokuma! What the hell are you doing now?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Which of you bastards did this…? who dared damage my propriety…? 

 

Monokuma’s not behind this…? Who the hell made just made that explosion then? 

 

… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50yShkEarT4 )

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Whoever did this… if you think that’s enough to stop me from executing whomever I wish to execute… you can stick you entire hand up your ass!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Grrk!

 

Monokuma: Kids… kids these days with their explosions… 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Now where was I-

 

???: That’s enough!

 

 

Suddenly, an unknown voice called out from the origin of the explosion.

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Y-You!

 

That voice… it was like the opposite of Monokuma’s… cartoonishly deep and grave… as if devoid of all emotion.

 

One thing was for sure… that voice wasn’t human.

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} That voice… who the hell was that?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Is this some kind of prank…? Monokuma… what's going on!?

 

We turned to Monokuma… who looked even more shocked than we were.

 

Monokuma: {Seething} You… what the hell are you doing here!? This is my killing game! You have no business-

 

(Music: None) 

 

???: You made it my business the second your broke the most important rule in the game… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Th-That voice… who the hell is making that voice!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Who’s there!? 

 

???: How rude of me… I haven’t even introduced myself. 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} No… go back… don’t come here… this is my killing game you hear me!

 

???: *Ahem*... 

 

And then suddenly, from the debris of the explosion… a small object popped out… except, it wasn’t really an object… it looks like... a small animal.

 

For the second time since we were brought to this resort, we were witness to an unimaginable scene.

 

{A shadow jumps out of the debris, it lands on the floor to reveal a small black elephant about Monokuma’s size, he’s wearing round reading glasses and carries a thick book with hope peak’s crest on it, its mouth and eyes follow Monokuma’s design} 

 

???: {Bows} Greeting students… my name is Kurozo and I will be your headmaster from now onwards!

 

Kôzuke: Wh-wh-whaaaaaaaaaat!?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} This is ridiculous!

 

Jessie: {Scared} Ahhh! Another crazy cartoon-voice doll!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} A fucking elephant this time!!!  Are… are we going crazy?

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} I can see why you would compare me to Monokuma… our physical appearance being somewhat similar… but trust me we are polar opposites. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowl, trunk pointing forwards} First of those differences is that I can follow protocol!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Heh, I think I like this one… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Protocol… what protocol?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Heh, that much is none of your business… 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} You… you can’t be here!

 

Kurozo: {Scowl, trunk pointing forwards} You forced my hand by killing a student… and by breaking our most important rules!

 

What the fuck are we seeing!?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Sorry but… who are you exactly?

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} As I’ve said, my name is Kurozo… and I suppose you could say that I’m Monokuma’s superior. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} His superior…? Monokuma has a superior?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} And so we were right in thinking that a large organisation was behind this… 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Yes… this killing game is not a one man operation and dare I say that I have been following your progress quite carefully and that I am more than ready to take over as this game’s director. 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} T-Take over? Why would you take over?

 

Kurozo: {Scowl, trunk pointing forwards} The highest authority has deemed you unfit to continue directing the holidays of mutual killing!

 

Monokuma: Awawawa… that’s impossible! I’m Monokuma! I’m the heart and soul of the killing games!

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} Maybe so… but today you’re nothing more than a puny little blackened… who’s going to have to pay for his crime!

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} B-Blackened… me?

 

Kurozo: Yes, you’re responsible for Ms. Kurisu’s death… which makes you the blackened of this trial!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} I can’t be the blackened… I’m Monokuma for god’s sake!

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You cannot fathom how much I’m going to enjoy this.

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} N-No… go away! I’m Monokuma… I’m the killing game!

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} Monokuma… you have been deemed guilty of murdering Yoko Kurisu and of breaking the only rule that applied to you in this killing game… 

 

Monokuma: NO!

 

Kenji: {Excited} YES!

 

Kurozo: {Scowl, trunk pointing forwards} As every good trial should end… it is now time for your execution!

 

Monokuma: {Panicked} You can’t execute me! I’m Monokuma! I cannot be silenced! I cannot be killed!

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Students… watch… this is what an execution should look like. 

 

We all stared at Monokuma who was now shaking and sweating like he’d just run a marathon… quite a pathetic display.

 

Kenji: {Furious} This is what you get for fucking with us!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} You know what they say… only the smart ones survive!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} So long… bear. 

 

Monokuma: {Panicked} No… No… NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

 

{GAME OVER} 

 

{MONOKUMA HAS BEEN FOUND GUILTY}

 

{TIME FOR THE PUNISHMENT}

 

_____________

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzOfqDU-ouw&list=PLejC_4RpbhjnA55POLpc7wxv3rZ_oCCmK&index=30

 

{A large claw appears, seemingly out of nowhere and tightens around Monokuma’s chest before pulling him away into the unknown} 

 

WHAT IS THIS, OPPOSITE DAY?

 

Monokuma is seen restrained on the same wall that Fukami was tied up to in the day trade center, a bunch of Kurozos appear and start betting on Monokuma’s limbs before he is torn apart by the restraints and stampeded on by the crowd of angry elephants. 

 

The scene pauses as Monokuma’s dead body can be seen on the floor until another Monokuma pops out of nowhere, standing proudly over the previous Monokuma’s corpse.

 

The new Monokuma laughs at Kurozo through the screen, after all, he cannot be killed because there will always be another Monokuma to replace him. 

 

Another claw appears from the ceiling and grabs Monokuma who seems unbothered. 

 

Monokuma is now transported onto the tightrope that Yoshi walked on in his execution. As Kurozos in the crowd throw knives at the bear, he ultimately falls from the rope and is devoured by the wild animals. 

 

However, once again, a new Monokuma appears, unharmed and seemingly at ease with his predecessor’s brutal death.

 

The next shots are fast paced scenes of a dozen Monokuma being executed in different ways. One is crushed by a falling ceiling, another one is decapitated by a guillotine, yet another one is hanged to death The executions go on and on without any of them being final. 

 

We are now in a high tech control room, a bunch of Monokumas can be seen dancing, overjoyed that they cannot be killed. On the other side of the room, Kurozo appears as he pulls the curtain behind him to reveal a Monokuma conveyor belt with a yellow label reading  “Monokuma Factory” in its center.

 

The Monokumas seem to lose their calm, they charge at Kurozo who doesn’t move a muscle and just stares at them. 

 

Right as they are about to reach him, numerous claws appear from the ceiling as they catch every single Monokuma and restrain them to the conveyor belt. 

 

Kurozo presses a button on the side of the machine and hundreds of Monokuma start being spat out from the converyor belt but every single one is caught by one of the claws and thrown back into the machine through its ventilation opening. 

 

A sign on the machine lights up, “FACTORY OVERHEATING”, the shots speed up as more and more Monokumas are created before being thrown back into the device and torn apart by the machine’s mechanism. 

 

As chaos ensues in the background, Kurozo calmly walks away from the action, lights himself a cigar before throwing on the machine which explodes. 

 

Kurozo closes the room’s door behind him as the burnt and severed head of a Monokuma rolls into view. 

 

The machine which created endless copies of him was destroyed and Monokuma was no more. 

 

_____________

 

(Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 )

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Heh, that was enjoyable. 

 

Kenji: {Excited} That was… fucking awesome!!!

 

Fusume: {Confident} I have to admit… I felt a certain sense of enjoyment from seeing this. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Is he really g-gone?

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} Yes… he won’t be back… you have witnessed the end of Monokuma! 

 

The end… of Monokuma…? 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Finally, an execution which I don’t mind seeing… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I was super violent… but he deserved it!

 

It did feel pretty good to see that bastard suffer… but I have to say that I’m not really relieved just yet. 

 

Kurozo: … 

 

This elephant guy… he seems much more serious than Monokuma… and I’m not sure that it’s a good thing. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Students, rejoice… it is quite rare for everybody to walk out of the trial room unharmed. 

 

Hikari: We… we can go?

 

Kurozo: {Open book, adjusts glasses} Correct, sorry for the quick dismissal… I suppose you must have tons of questions to ask me… and do not worry, I am of the opinion that information must be given out regularly. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} So you will tell us more about our lost memories… and about this “traitor” among our ranks?

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Correct, this will all be addressed tomorrow morning at breakfast. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I also have a question for you… it concerns the motive videos as well as the dummy weapons from the previous case.

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} Heh, I see that you are ever so observant Reijiro… yes, you can ask me all about that tomorrow… but as I’ve said… I must ask you all to leave this courtroom now.

 

Jessie: Why… why is that?

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk points forward} As you may have noticed, I do not have the same vision as your previous headmaster… and now that he is gone and that I’m in charge, I must make sure that I clear up the mess that my predecessor has made!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} So… what happens to us now that he’s gone?

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Is… the k-killing game o-over?

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} Over? Oh no… of course not. It will continue under my direction.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Hnngh… it’s not over?

 

I thought so… it appeared too easy. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} As previously stated… you can ask me your questions in the morning… as things stands, I must leave. 

 

Fusume: {Nervous} O-Okay… we shall see you tomorrow… I hope that you can shed some light on our questions

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Farewell… congratulations on making it through the trial in one piece… oh and you… 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Hayato. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Y-Yes?

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} You did well today. 

 

Hayato: I did? 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Yes… the entire class survives thanks to your insight. 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} I just hope that you’ll realise soon enough that this is not fiction!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} What…?

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} You come here with such confidence… determined and grinning when you identify a murderer… but you forget that you’re not the detective in a novel… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} These are real lives you’re dealing with… and you’re just playing a role… living your detective fantasies!

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} That’s not-

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I have said my piece… farewell. {Disappears} 

 

… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} That was odd. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} At least we now know that he’s also got the ability to disappear at will. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} It seems that it is now time for us to head back to the surface. 

 

That guy… why did he say that to me just then… why me?

 

Playing a role… living my fantasies… that’s not what I’ve been doing… is it? 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Hey, Hayato… don’t let it get to you… he’s just messing with your head is all. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Hold on! just because you didn’t kill anyone this time around… doesn’t mean that you can talk to us like we gave a shit about your opinion!

 

Kenji: You’re still the same manipulative bitch who caused our friends’ death! Got it!?

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} Nngh… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )

 

Raiko: {Grimace} You… you’re welcome for helping you survive this trial! {Leaves} 

 

That… that might have been a little rough… especially considering the fact that she’s been particularly helpful this time around.  

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Huh, this bitch… who the hell does she think that she is-

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} No, you Kenji! Who do you think you are!?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} K-Kôzuke…?

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} She was just trying to help okay! And you’re always being so aggressive to everyone… and right now’s not the right time okay!?

 

Kenji: What… what did you just say to me!?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I’m so ashamed of myself man! For what I did… I… I’ve realised how much of a coward I am!

 

Jessie: {Sad} You’re… you’re no cowards Kôzuke-kun! 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} Of course I am! I’m scared of everything… and everyone… to the point that I almost got us all killed in trying to save myself! 

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} Bro… 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I’m a coward… and I’m ashamed… but I accept it! And maybe it’s time that you do the same Kenji!

 

Kenji: What?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} What you did… it’s probably worse than what I did man! 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} So just accept it Kenji! You’re also a coward… just like me!

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} That’s not… 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head under helmet} Maybe… maybe it’s time you stop blaming Raiko… and blaming others… and realise that you’re not perfect… none of us are. 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I’m sorry everyone… I’ll try to make up for what I did… I’ll try my best!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Kôzuke-kun!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Just let me go… please. {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

That… that was intense… and yet, surprisingly brave for Kôzuke to step up to Kenji like that. I can’t help but feel sorry for him… despite what he’s done. 

 

I should probably try to talk to him about this some time soon. 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Alright, maybe it’s time we go back to the surface… wouldn’t you say?

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} C-C-C-C-Coward…? {Leaves} 

 

And there he goes… he seems pretty shaken by what just happened… with reason. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Dammit… we haven’t even gone out of this nightmare… and the group is starting to tear itself apart once again… 

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Come on guys… let’s not bring the mood down… none of us got executed! Monokuma’s dead! This is as close to a happy ending as we could have hoped for. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} H-Happy ending? 

 

Fusume: Shinto?

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} H-How… h-how can you say that J-Jessie? {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

Poor Shinto… he survived against all odds… but I can’t even begin to imagine the guilt he must be going through right now. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ugh… there’s no point trying to rally everybody anymore Jessie… let’s just all go back up at our own pace and give everybody a break… we can meet again in the morning. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} That sounds acceptable… rest well. {Leaves} 

 

I waved goodbye to the people who remained and one by one we all hopped on the elevator and waited as it finally took us back to the surface.

 

{Scene opens on the Black building’s aula} 

 

It was the first time that we left the trial grounds during day time and I was immediately blinded by the intense sunlight as the elevator reached surface. 

 

{Camera fades to black}

 

I had no idea what time it was but the lack of sleep from the previous motive as well as the rollercoaster of emotion we’d just been through left me with only one desire: my bed. 

 

Before anything else, I took a quick detour by Yoko’s and Tadao’s where I picked up Yoko’s fan as well as Tadao’s cape to add to my collection of memento for the fallen. 

 

With those items in my possession, I quickly left to my room. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

No matter what time it is… I just feel like I’m about to fall asleep. 

 

Today was crazy, we lost two classmates at once in this double murder which means that there are only 10 of us left. 

 

Things somehow took a turn for the better as we ultimately managed to prove Monokuma was the true killer and save Shinto’s life… despite the fact that he really did cause his girlfriend’s death. 

 

I cannot help but feel sorry for him… in trying to protect her he ended up killing her… while she let herself die in order to save him. Both of them risked their life for the other… and only one of them survived. I cannot begin to imagine what he must be going through… 

 

We finally went through a trial without losing anybody else… and yet it feels bittersweet, we’ve still lost two of our friends… and now more than ever, the group feels shattered by some people’s involvement in the case.  

 

And Kurozo… he seems calm, serious and less evil than Monokuma… but I cannot underestimate him… if he’s in charge of the killing game now that means he will also try to make our lives hell… 

 

His serene attitude must hide something dark… something sadistic… 

 

And that thing he told me… about me playing a role… I don’t know why but it’s eating at me… 

 

I thought that by solving these cases I was helping everyone… saving our lives… but could he be right? 

 

Am I somehow… enjoying this nightmare? Am I living my fantasies here… and finally fulfilling my dream of becoming a detective?

 

Who… who am I exactly?

 

… 

 

My mind heavy, I finally fell into a deep, dreamless sleep. 

 

 

 

 

{Later, in an undisclosed location} 

 

{A shadowy figure can be seen approaching Kurozo who's seated in a small brown armchair, smoking a cigar}

 

Kurozo: It’s you… I was wondering when you’d come talk to me. 

 

???: I want to know how this change will affect my position. 

 

Kurozo: Your position…? Well it doesn’t change at all does it? The mastermind stays the mastermind… Monokuma and I don’t really have anything to do with that!

 

???: Very well, I guess we will continue on with the plan then. 

 

Kurozo: Yes… let’s put this incident behind us… 

 

???: Good night. 

 

 

Kurozo: Now wait just a second… talking about the plan… it’s time to speed things forward. 

 

Kurozo: We’re over halfway done now… perhaps it is time to start distributing information to your classmates… 

 

???: Information… what sort of information…?

 

Kurozo: Oh, I don’t know… I was browsing through Monokuma’s material… and let me tell you this… there’s a lot of potential…

 

{Kurozo unfolds a newspaper article onto his desk, camera zooms in to show the headline: “Caspian, the caped kidnapper found dead shortly before his anticipated Hope’s Peak debut”, a picture of the bloodied body of a boy dressed as Caspian is displayed on the article, in the background of the photograph, Hikari can be seen cowering in fear} 

 

Kurozo: How do you think they’ll react when they learn that the Caspian they’ve been living with all this time… isn’t authentic!?

 

Kurozo: Heh, this is going to be fun! 

 

_____________________________________________________________

 

Chapter 3 : At the Mercy of our Emotions

END

_____________________________________________________________

 

SURVIVING STUDENTS:

10

 

                                                                 

 

Notes:

And so the 40th chapter DR : AD as well as chapter 3 as a whole ends with a new mascot in town! I'm curious to hear if anybody expected this twist so feel free to give me your thoughts and theories in the comments.

Chapter 4: "20,000 Leagues under the Sea" will be coming out in a few weeks time (just enough time for me to plan everything carefully). A new chapter obviously means the return of FTE polls so you can vote for your favorites right here : https://www.strawpoll.me/19150152

Also, if you want chat with other readers while you wait for the next chapter, don't hesitate to join this fic's discord server! That much happens right here : https://discord.gg/6zqswE

All that's left for me to do is to thank everybody who's read up to here, I'm so happy for the support the story's getting and for the way everything's unfolded so far. I can't wait to show you guys what I've got in store for the next chapters!

Seriously, it means a lot to me, so thanks again!

I'll see you all in the new year and in the next chapter of DR : AD ;)

Chapter 41: Chapter 4 : 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea : Daily life part 1

Notes:

Welcome back!

I took some time off for the holidays which explains the delay for this update but we're finally back for chapter four!

There's a new building to explore and a bunch of questions to be answered… so strap in!

Enjoy :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a

 

{Scene opens on a funeral, a serious looking man is standing next to small coffin, in front of which is displayed a framed photo of a purple-haired boy} 

 

Presiding man: Thank you all for joining us as we say a final goodbye to a very special young man… Ahem, you see, after the accident- 

 

{A purple-haired man stands up from the crowd, tears running from his face} 

 

Crying man: It was no accident I tell you! He was murdered!!! My son… was murdered! 

 

Presiding man: P-Please sir… 

 

Crying man: I want justice for my son!!! This was no accident dammit!

 

Presiding man: Sir… if you don’t sit back down I’m going to have to call security. 

 

Crying man: You want to kick me out… of my own son’s funeral!? You… you… aaaaargh!!!

 

Crying man: Why… wh-why did he have to die…? 

 

… 

 

{Camera zooms on the far corner of the room, Tadao can be sitting in the audience, looking down to the floor} 

 

Tadao: … 

 

{He looks up, livid}


Tadao: I’m s-s-so… s-sorry… 

 

{Camera zooms out to show a shadowy figure sitting next to him} 

 

???: Will you be quiet…? You’re the one who requested we attend this.

 

… 

 

???: You know, this… “accident” definitely has delayed our plans… but now that this has been dealt with, we’re finally good to go. 

 

Tadao: Ggh… 

 

???: Don’t worry… you’ll be fine. 

 

???: This… this is where the fun begins. 

 

{In the background, the victim’s father is pulled away by security as Tadao trembles nervously} 

 

Tadao: I… I… 

 

???: Come on now Caspian,  we have some work to get done…  

 

{Screen fades to black} 



_____________________

 

Chapter 4 : 20,000 Leagues under the Sea

 

_____________________

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{TV screen lights up, Monokuma’s usual jacuzzi has been replaced with a leather armchair which Kurozo is sitting on} 

 

Kurozo: Good morning students, I hope that all is well. The time is 8:00 AM which means that night time is officially over. 

 

Kurozo: As promised yesterday, I am disposed to meet you all for breakfast to answer some questions you may have for me… I won’t be there for long… so don’t make me wait. 

 

Kurozo: I expect to see you all in the restaurant. 

 

{TV screen turns off}

 

… 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdSYNKNagU )

 

I mean… that is quite a bit less infuriating than Monokuma’s usual morning call… the more this goes the more I think we’re better off with this elephant guy around. 

 

Still… Monokuma’s execution and Kurozo’s arrival is basically the only positive note about yesterday’s events.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Wh-wh-wh… 

 

Hayato: AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

 

Tadao… how… how… 

 

Hayato: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Shinto: You have to wake up! You can’t… you can’t be… n-no… 

 

Shinto: I w-won’t accept it… this isn’t true! This is… this… n-n-no… 

 

Shinto: YOKOOOOOOO! WAKE UP! JUST PLEASE WAKE UP

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Even though the trial ended without an execution… we still lost two more classmates, Yoko and Tadao are both gone… Yoko sacrificed herself and let Monokuma kill her to save Shinto while Tadao committed suicide for reasons that are still unknown to us… 

 

The revelations from yesterday… what could they mean? All the victims so far got their memories back from our year at Hope’s Peak and suddenly they all turned murderous…

 

I just don’t understand… hopefully Kurozo will have some answers to our questions.

 

That guy… I still don’t get him. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} I just hope that you’ll realise soon enough that this is not fiction!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} What…?

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} You come here with such confidence… determined and grinning when you identify a murderer… but you forget that you’re not the detective in a novel… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} These are real lives you’re dealing with… and you’re just playing a role… living your detective fantasies!

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} That’s not-

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I have said my piece… farewell. {Disappears} 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Those things he told me… I… I can’t stop thinking about them… why would he say that to me? 

 

And worst of all… could he be right?

 

… 

 

Considering that I went to sleep at like 4 PM, I think I’ve spent enough time in bed… now’s not the time to ask myself existential questions. I need to hurry up and get to the restaurant… I don’t want the others to start without me. 

 

Let’s get going already. 

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Talk to Kenji} 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} … 

 

Boy, does he not look like he’s in a good mood… 

 

Hayato: H-Hey Kenji, how are you feeling-

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Get out of my way!!!

 

Hayato: Wh-What?

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} I’m not in the mood to talk Hayato… leave me the fuck alone. 

 

Hayato: But… but wait!

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} … {Leaves} 

 

Okay… that’s a cool way to start the day. 

 

… 

 

I guess I should be understanding, he seemed pretty ashamed of what he did yesterday.

 

Hopefully he’ll manage to live with his actions sooner rather than later… Knowing him, I’m afraid he’s going to be angry at himself with this for a while… 

 

I’ll try being supportive next time I see him. 

 

{Talk to Jessie} 

 

Jessie: {Rubs eyes, tired expression} Hey there Hayato-kun… I guess you didn’t sleep too well either huh?

 

Hayato: I mean I slept a lot in terms of volume… but no it definitely wasn’t good sleep. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} With all that happened yesterday… naturlich we’re gonna have a hard time forgetting all that. 

 

Hayato: Yeah… losing both Yoko and Tadao was hard… and I’m still not quite sure what to think of that Kurozo guy. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Elephants are known to be kind right? 

 

Hayato: Um… I don’t think that’s a quality we generally associate with elephants Jessie. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Of course we do, I’m sure “nice as an elephant” is a saying in some language… 

 

Hayato: *Sigh* well, if anybody’s going to know that it’s you Jessie… 

 

He’s not even a real elephant!

 

… 

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor} 

 

{Move to Restaurant} 

 

{Scene opens on the restaurant, the group is significantly smaller than usual, not only because of recent deaths, but also because Shinto and Raiko are missing} 

 

Fusume: {Yawning} Good day Hayato… it is nice of you to join us.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} G-Good morning… uh H-Hayato!

 

Hayato: Hi guys!

 

As expected… none of them look like they’re in good shape. 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} It appears that everyone who we could have expected to show up has done so… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You don’t think that Shinto or Raiko is going to show up do you? 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Sadly, that does seem unlikely. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I could uh… I could… I could go talk to Shinto and apologize! 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} This is all basically my fault anyway man… 

 

Hayato: It is?

 

Kôzuke: {Grabs head tightly} I have to do something… anything!

 

Fusume: {Softly} Kôzuke… I think we should just give Shinto some time off for now, you should stay here with us. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I have to do something… anything! 

 

What’s going on with him? 

 

Jessie: Hey Kôzuke-kun why don’t you come sit down with auntie Jessie alright? Let the others talk for a bit… 

 

Kôzuke: {Tearing up} I’m… I’m s-sorry… 

 

… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Don’t judge him guys… he feels really guilty about his involvement and the case and is trying really hard to make himself useful to compensate. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-But… we d-don’t need him to do that in o-order for us to f-forgive him right? 

 

Reijiro: {Sympathetic expression} Sadly, I believe what he really need is to forgive himself… and that might take a while. 

 

Hayato: And what about Raiko? I would have assumed she’d come for Kurozo’s announcements.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Good riddance… if the bitch thinks we’ve forgiven her for everything she’s done… she’s got another thing coming. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Kenji…?

 

Kenji: {Furious} I know you guys were all glad that she made herself mildly helpful in the trial… but I won’t fucking forgive her!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Do I need to remind you that she got four of our friends killed!? Just because she decided not to act like a complete psychopath for one day in her life doesn’t mean I’m gonna accept her as a part of this fucking group!

 

Hikari: {Sad} You really do hate her that much… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Obviously I fucking hate her!!!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Ahem, please let us not argue so early in the morning… we shall decide what to do with her soon enough… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} For now, can we please eat breakfast in peace before Kurozo’s arrival? 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} N-Nobody… w-was arguing…!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Kenji’s just decided to put all his anger on her… even though he should start by being mad at himself.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} What the fuck did you say to me!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Guys… 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} You’re gonna take her side… against me? Even though she’s a murderous bitch and I’ve done nothing wrong?

 

Hikari: {Snarls with angry expression} You…? Nothing wrong? Come on don’t make me laugh!

 

Hayato: There’s no need to fight seriously!

 

Kenji: {Furious} How fucking dare you!!?

 

Kurozô: {Appears} Students!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Huh!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} It’s y-you!?

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} It appears I’ve arrived right before the storm… I propose you save your arguing for later and we get on to business! 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} … 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Business…?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You are here to answer our questions yes? 

 

Kurozô: {Blank expression} I told you that I would do so… therefore I am here. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} However, be warned! I have a great many things to get to which means that if you waste my time bickering I will take away those privileges without hesitation!

 

Fusume: {Confident} That makes sense… we’ll make sure to stay on task then… 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} We shall speak one by one, if you have a question for Kurozô then ask away… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Kenji and Hikari… try to stay calm will you?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} R-Right… sorry. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Fucking… unfair… 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Excellent, I sure am glad that you’re able to follow simple directives… that much will make my work more bearable… 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Now… on with the questions. 

 

Kurozo definitely seems more interested in actually giving us information than Monokuma was… that’s a good thing. 

 

I suppose we should make sure we get through every important topic before he changes his mind. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} … 

 

Hopefully… Kenji will manage to sit through this without causing trouble… 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Well… I’m waiting!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… I shall open discussions if that is the case. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} On the topic of our missing memories… Monokuma told us that those of us who got their memories back saw their personality completely changed and tried committing murder… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} That’s right… Tadao committed suicide, Rina tried killing Yoshi and Kyia… he also went crazy. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Hm, well, as you might expect… I can’t tell you exactly what’s going on, that would ruin the mystery of the killing game… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Then what the fuck are you good for!?

 

… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Fusume: {Dark look} … 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Grr… 

 

Kurozo: Ahem, as I was saying… I simply cannot tell you what those memories contain… but Monokuma was telling the truth. Your classmates who were granted their memories back see their personality changed drastically… 

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} Let me say this, when you entered the resort, your memories were reset to the time you entered Hope’s Peak for the first time. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Huh… that would explain why the last thing we all remember is entering the academy… 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Your classmates’ personality were altered because you all changed drastically in the year you spent at Hope’s Peak… 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} Once they retrieved their missing memories… their true personalities were exposed… thus explaining their sudden change in behaviour. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Huh… so our personalities were suppressed by our missing memories… how fascinating… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Wait… so you’re saying that the three of them… the way they acted… that was their true personalities!?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Even Kyia…?

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Correct… or I suppose you could say that their personalities went back to how they were before we wiped their memories. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} That’s… that’s impossible!

 

Hayato: You’re saying that in the one year that we’ve forgotten about… Tadao, Kyia and Rina went from relatively normal people… to murderers?

 

Kurozo: I suppose so… sadly that is all I can say on the matter… you’ll discover the rest as time goes on. 

 

I… I don’t understand… did getting their memories back really turn our friends into… killers? 

 

What exactly happened to us in that year… the more I learn the more I’m scared to find out. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} And of course… we are just supposed to believe that you were able to tamper with our memories to such an extent… 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Trust me… we have access to the very best when it comes to technology… it really wasn’t so complicated. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Who’s… we exactly?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} And what kind of technology could just erase people’s memories!? I’ve never heard of such a thing!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} As I said… I cannot get into it in any more detail! Get to the next question!

 

So that’s all we’re getting about our memories for now huh…? I guess this really was the biggest topic of concern… but there must be other questions to ask him… we have no time to take in what we’ve just heard. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} How are we supposed to just move on like that man…?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I have a question I’d like to ask… 

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} What are you waiting for exactly?

Fusume: {Dark look} Monokuma mentioned that there was a traitor in our group… what can you tell us about that? 

 

I… I tried to suppress that thought… I didn’t want to doubt my friends back when Monokuma told us… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} It turns out… that there is a traitor among you. 

 

Kôzuke: {Graps medals} A t-t-traitor?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} That’s fucking bullshit!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Sadly, it isn’t! One of you bastards isn’t who they say they are and in fact… they definitely weren't part of the group before the killing game started!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} What!? But… we all are classmates aren’t we!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Yeah… we should all be part of the same group no?

 

Monokuma: Aw.. you kids are so innocent… let’s just say the world isn’t quite how you remember it… some things might have changed… the group went one way and the traitor… didn’t. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Th-There… r-really is… a t-traitor among us?

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Yes! That is correct… surprisingly enough, Monokuma explained it quite well.

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} The traitor was indeed a part of your class, however your paths ended up going in opposite directions at a certain point. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What the fuck does that even mean bro?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} There is only so much I can say without giving it away completely… let me just say that when your class had to make a choice, the traitor went against their classmates and tried their hardest to make your life hell. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Wh-What!? Th-There’s really someone like that? 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} What do you mean… make our lives hell? 

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} Again, these are questions which I can only give you bits and pieces for… I’m only leading you in the right direction… but you won’t get answers until the endgame!

 

Hayato: The… endgame? 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Yes! The final trial of the killing game where the last survivors fight for the truth about their past! 

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} It’s a truly glorious sight to see… but until then, I’m afraid that’s all your getting considering the traitor. I think I still have time for a few more questions. 

 

Kenji: What is this a press conference? 

 

The traitor… went against us… and tried making our lives hell? Could they possibly be related to the mastermind?

 

Who… who could the traitor be?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Anybody else?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I uh… I have a question!

 

Kenji: {Furious} … 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Speak your mind. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Well man… I mean, the night of the murder… why did none of us get affected by the emotions motive?

 

 

Wow… that’s actually a pretty great question… I’d completely forgotten about that!

 

Jessie: {Starry eyed} Kôzuke-kun… your memory’s so good, Me nec oblitum!

 

Fusume: {Content} Yes, thank you Kôzuke for bringing that up.

 

Kôzuke: {Blushing} It’s… it’s nothing special guys… 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Hm… that is an interesting question indeed. I thought that Monokuma would have addressed that by now… but then again I’m the fool for believing that idiot could do his job correctly… 

 

Ouch. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} The emotions machine wasn’t turned on that night… on Tadao’s request. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} T-Tadao’s request!?

 

Jessie: Tadao-kun? Why would he do that!?

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} I believe that he explained his plan to Monokuma and told him that he needed full control of his body in order to achieve it. 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Monokuma, who as you know enjoys a good murder decided to leave all of you with free will for the night in order to let Tadao on with his plan… as you all see, it worked wonders for him. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Worked… wonders?

 

Hayato: So… the motive didn’t affect us because Tadao asked Monokuma? Doesn’t that seem a bit odd? 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Right! Since when does Monokuma listen to us!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph, may I remind you that Monokuma had given him his memories back… he likely knew that their was murder on our victim’s mind… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} That does make sense… Monokuma wouldn’t have granted his wish if he didn’t know for sure that the night would end in a murder. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} And… it did. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Despite his general incompetence… Monokuma knows how to operate a killing game. He knew what he was doing… and that explains why he didn’t end up going through with the motive, it was the most efficient thing to do. 

 

He speaks of it like it was nothing… do our lives really not matter at all to these guys?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} I hope that answered your query Kôzuke.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I… I have a question!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Okay… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} What about that letter that Tadao wrote… we assumed that it was his suicide note… but what does it mean!?

 

That letter… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

“ K.M IS THE KEY”

 

K.M… what’s K.M? What does this mean?

 

… 

 

I lifted the scrap to take a closer look and saw a second piece of paper lying under the first one… and it read:

 

{Hayato hold second paper in his hands}

 

“I DID NOT KILL HER”

 

“NEITHER DID THE AUTHENTIC”

 

{Back to normal} 

 

It’s so damn cryptic… it turned out to be the only piece of evidence that we didn’t really use at all last trial… and for good reason. 

 

It looks like a suicide note for sure… but what does it mean!? What’s KM? Who’s the authentic?

 

Why does he speak in riddles seriously!!?

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Hm, I do remember that note… what about it?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Well, none of us actually understand what that letter meant! I’d like some explanations!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I get that Tadao committed suicide because he got his memory back… but I’m sure he tried telling us something through that letter… perhaps that K.M thing is what pushed him to killing himself!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Mmhm… I have to agree that figuring out why Tadao killed himself is absolutely crucial in starting to figure out the truth of our missing memories… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} And the first step to do that is to understand his damn suicide note!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} You want me to explain the contents of the letter?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Yes please! Tell us what K.M means at least! What’s it an acronym for?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} … 

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} I’m afraid that I can’t answer that.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Wh-What!?

 

Kurozo: This is… quite sensitive information, all I can say to you is that his suicide will have repercussions… all the way to the endgame! 

 

Hayato: To the… endgame? 

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} Correct, in fact, his motive for suicide is so central to the entire killing game that I cannot give you any more details about it!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} His suicide… is central to the killing game!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What does that even mean man… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Tadao-kun… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} So this whole riddling thing is how you answer our questions huh? 

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} I said I’d help… I didn’t expect you’d venture along the only few topics I can’t answer!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Well obviously! Those are like, the most important questions we could ask you. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Fair enough… but as I said, you’ll have to do with what I can tell you for now. 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Mhm… I sure hope we’ll have the opportunity to learn more about those subjects in the forseeable future. 

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} Heh, trust me… you will. 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} And on that note, I believe it is now time to end this little Q&A session

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Wait!

 

Kurozo: Huh?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Please… allow me one more question. 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Huh… I suppose I can do that. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph, it concerns the motive videos that some of us received before the second trial. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Th-Those videos!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Only a few of you had access to the videos correct?

 

Hayato: Yes! The only people who received those videos were Reijiro, Hikari, Kenji and myself! 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The same four people who were given factice weapons during that same case… that cannot be a coincidence!

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} The four who received the motive videos also were given the false weapons!? That’s so weird man!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I hadn’t thought about it this way… what does this mean!

 

Monokuma’s the one who decided who got what weapon… he’s also obviously responsible for those videos we received… 

 

The guy had everything planned to extreme precision… if he chose the four of us for both things then there must be some reason!

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Hm… you did mention that to me yesterday, I was wondering if any of you picked that up. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} That damn Monokuma… he never even tried to stick to protocol! 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-Was that… not p-planned?

 

Kurozo: No it wasn’t! He just went rogue as usual and added his own stupid little touches to the game without asking management!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Management?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} So… it was a coincidence? 

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} I didn’t say that did I?

 

Oriana: {Shy look} I… I d-d-don’t get it! 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Sadly, I can’t really give you a yes or no answer once again, however know this. 

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} The four of you… you were selected for a reason. 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Wh-What!?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} We were… selected?

 

Kenji: {Furious} What the fuck are you talking about!?

 

Hayato: What does that mean!?

 

Kurozo: Heh, I suppose you’ll find that out in your own time… but you four, you’re linked… to an extent that would push Monokuma to do what he did.

 

We’re… linked!!?

 

Kurozo: {Stern salutes} Now, I’ve given you enough of my time, I assume that it’s no surprise but a new building has been opened for you to explore. 

 

Oriana: A n-new… building? 

 

Jessie: {Sad} With everything that happened, I had forgotten that this was a thing… 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} You should make good use of the day to investigate the Blue Building… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} We don’t answer to you Dumbo!

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} Heh, it is but a friendly suggestion… if you want out of the resort that is. 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} You mean… exploring this new building could help us find a way out!?

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} Heh, you won’t know that if you don’t take a look will you? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} He… he is likely just bluffing. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Perhaps I am… you won’t know until you investigate. 

 

Kôzuke: I guess we really don’t have a choice do we?

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} A new building means new opportunities… don’t forget that. 

 

Kurozo: Oh! Also, the beach is now open to the public… perhaps you’d do well to take a look there while you’re at it!

 

Jessie: {Starry eyed} The beach…? Finally some good news! 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} My work here is done… I wish you all a good day of investigating… and if you need me don’t hesitate to ask! I am here to make this killing game as efficient and user-friendly as possible. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Efficient huh?

 

Hayato: Kurozo… why are you doing this?

 

Kurozo: {Surprised, scratching trunk} Doing… what?

 

Hayato: Giving us information… letting us believe that you’re on our side. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} Hah! How naive of you!

 

Hayato: Naive?

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} I’m not on your side… I am only doing what I must to see my objective accomplished. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} But then… why are you helping us?

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} Helping you!? Don’t make me laugh! Why would I ever do such a thing? 

 

Hayato: If you’re not helping us then why are you giving us information? 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} You see… Monokuma and I have a very different view on how to run a killing game… 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing, devilish grin} And you’ll see soon enough that my methods are much… much more efficient! 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} And on that note, I shall bid you farewell. {Disappears} 

 

… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What the hell was that last part!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That is… very worrying. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} His… methods? What could that mean? 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I… th-thought he was nice! B-But the elephant g-got so scary!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} At least he did answer some of our questions right? 

 

Hayato: That’s one way to look at it. 

 

Frankly, I have many more questions now than I had before this thing. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} This is all… very concerning. 

 

I knew that Kurozo was gonna be hiding something… he’s definitely less annoying that Monokuma but he seems about just as dangerous to me. 

 

Oriana: {Crying} I’m s-scared…! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Ahem, perhaps the best we can do for the moment is to go explore this new building !

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Doesn’t this feel like a trap?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} To be fair, none of these new buildings reveal have been traps by now Hikari-chan, I think they’re pretty safe.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} If you’re all good with that then-

 

Kenji: {Furious} Ngh!!! {Leaves} 

 

Kenji got up angrily and left, slamming the door behind him. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Kenji-kun… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I can’t believe he’d storm off like that… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I say we leave the man some space, I do hope he will be back to normal some time soon… 

 

Yeah, that’s what I said this morning already… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Kenji… it’s all my fault! 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} K-Kôzuke=

 

Kôzuke: If I hadn’t said what I said yesterday… we wouldn’t be here! 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I’m a coward… and I’m ashamed… but I accept it! And maybe it’s time that you do the same Kenji!

 

Kenji: What?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} What you did… it’s probably worse than what I did man! 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} So just accept it Kenji! You’re also a coward… just like me!

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} That’s not… 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head under helmet} Maybe… maybe it’s time you stop blaming Raiko… and blaming others… and realise that you’re not perfect… none of us are. 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I’m sorry everyone… I’ll try to make up for what I did… I’ll try my best!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: Kôzuke! That’s not true! You were definitely right in telling him off! 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} That’s… that’s not… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Kenji was way out of line getting mad at Raiko when he had been so involved in the case! You can’t feel guilty for that!

 

Kôzuke: I… I… {Crying} I’m sorryyyyyyyyy!!!!! {Leaves} 

 

He ran off. 

 

… 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )



Oriana: {Crying} … 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Zut alors … Kôzuke-kun… 

 

Fusume: {Covering face with hands} Why… why does this keep on happening!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Why can’t I keep the group united…? 

 

Fusume: {Angry} Dammit!!!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Everyone!

 

Hayato: Huh?

 

Reijiro: {Tired} I… I propose we leave this morning meeting at that before anything else happens… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Go and explore the new building to your heart’s desire and come talk to me if you find anything. 

 

Fusume: {Covering face with hands} I’m such… a failure… 

 

Reijiro: {Sympathetic expression} You and I are going to have to talk about this… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The rest of you! Go!

 

No need to ask me twice, I’m out of here. 

 

{Fade to black} 

 

{Auto-move to the outside area} 

 

This morning’s been eventful enough… and yet, I’ve still got a lot on my plate. 

 

I have a new building to investigate… and the newly opened beach too. 

 

 

There’s no more time to waste, let’s go. 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdSYNKNagU

 

 

The blue building should be this way… past the yellow and red buildings. 

 

{Examine Blue Building} 

 

The building’s pretty nicely situated, right in front of the beach. 

 

The outside walls are painted navy blue and the building itself is two stories tall with a pretty standard width. 

 

Time to see what’s hiding inside those walls. 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{The inside walls of the building are painted in the same navy blue as the outside walls, with thin white lines in a criss crossed pattern breaking the monotony. The floor is made of thin wooden planks. On the first floor, four doors can be seen, they are individually labelled : “Marine Biology lab”, “Physics lab”, “Computer lab” and “Jules Verne Staircase”} 

 

I like the vibe coming from this building… the colours are nice and warm and all around less painful on the eyes than in some of the previous buildings. 

 

I’m not quite sure I get these room labels though… All these labs? Aren’t we supposed to be in a summer resort?

 

I’m pretty sure that this is no place for a physics lab… 

 

This resort gets weirder and weirder as time goes on. 

 

At least, these rooms sound promising as far as finding information go… Maybe there’ll be some type of clue or something. 

 

Let’s get searching. 

 

{Move to Marine Biology lab} 

 

{The room is quite spacious and filled with shelves with one large table in the center, covered with microscopes, test tubes and a messy pile of graphing paper. On the shelves are some books and bottles with different labels on them as well as a few small fishtanks. Also, there are some marine themed posters on the walls, namely a dolphin, a crab and a shark. At the back of the room, there’s a small black door with the word “maintenance” written on it. Finally, there’s a big model submarine hanging from the ceiling. Kôzuke and Oriana are here} 

 

So this is the marine biology lab… it feels quite chaotic in here, like a bunch of hurried scientists were there just a few hours ago… but that can’t be can it? 

 

{Examine Center Table} 

 

Ugh, this reminds me of my science classes back in middle school. All this equipment is exactly what I would have used for practicals back then. 

 

“You should have stuck with languages” “Science isn’t for you” I’ve heard it all throughout the years. 

 

Why is our schooling system so disheartening…? I wonder. 

 

… 

 

I only set my desk on fire once and it basically wasn’t my fault! That doesn’t justify such comments does it? 

 

{Examine Shelves} 

 

Just like this lab as a whole, the shelves are crammed with stuff making it almost impossible to get a clear look at what’s actually in there. 

 

I guess I’ll just grab a book at random and see what I come up with. 

 

… 

 

Huh… “Guide to seashells of the world”, a real page turner, I’m sure… 

 

*Sigh* I should stick to fiction shouldn’t I?

{Examine Posters} 

 

These are actually quite nice… much less extravagant than the rest of the lab. 

 

They’re just nice pictures of animals in their natural habitats, it’s quite wholesome if you think about it. 

 

… 

 

Wait, what’s that in the corner… it looks like somebody scribbled a few words in black sharpy. 

 

That handwriting… is this a toddler’s work? Heh, it reads: “The bear beats the shark” … What?

 

Oh boy. 

 

“Dolphins are lame, bears are way cooler” 

 

Okay, I think I’m done here. 

 

{Examine Submarine} 

 

I’m not too sure what that submarine is doing here… it looks very heavy and it’s only held to the ceiling by a thin white rope.

 

Talk about disproportionate. 

 

Don’t mind me, I’m just going to stand very far from that monstrosity… if it falls, it won’t be on my head. 

 

{Examine “Maintenance door” 

 

*Click* *Click*

 

Heh, it’s locked… no way to see what’s in there for now. 

 

The labelling isn’t too clear… does it lead to a sort of maintenance closet or is it closed for maintenance? 

 

Either or, I definitely won’t get it open for now. 

 

{Talk to Kôzuke} 

 

Kôzuke seems to be frantically searching through the shelves, I don’t think that he’s noticed me. 

 

Hayato: Hey Kôzuke.

 

No response, he’s way too focused to even turn his head in my direction. 

 

Hayato: Kôzuke! 

 

Kôzuke: I… I n-n-need to find s-something! 

 

Hayato: What?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} A-Ah! H-Hayato, d-did you call for me!? S-Sorry I didn’t hear y-you. 

 

He finally turned to face me and he looked more tense than I’d even seen him  

 

Hayato: Hey, that’s okay… what are you doing exactly? 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} M-Me? Oh you know… j-just checking this place out. 

 

Hayato: Really? I mean you definitely have a pretty energetic way of doing so. 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I’m… s-sorry!!

 

Ahh!

 

Hayato: N-No, I was joking… don’t get upset!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m… I’m on edge man… I’ve got to make myself useful… I gotta stop being a coward. 

 

Hayato: Kôzuke… you’re not a coward. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Except that I am! You won’t convince me otherwise… 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} I need to make good use of my time… by finding something useful!

 

Hayato: Well, do you know what you’re looking for exactly?

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} N-No!

 

Again!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m sorry man… but I think I’d rather be left alone right about now. 

 

Hayato: Fair enough… but do know that you can speak to me if you need. 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} S-Sure… I’ll g-get back to it now! 

 

He turned his back to me and went back to his task. 

 

… 

 

Poor Kôzuke… it’s not fair for him to feel so guilty… I wish there was something I could do. 

 

{Talk to Oriana} 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} S-Say Hayato! I th-think I s-saw that sh-shark moving just a few m-moments ago!

 

Hayato: A shark? What shark?

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} K-Kyaah! It’s l-looking right at me… is i-it going to eat m-me? 

 

Hayato: Oriana, slow down, what are you talking about? 

 

Oriana: {Shy look, blushing} You’ll protect m-me right?

 

Hayato: I mean I would, if you told me what you’re so afraid of!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaaah! it m-m-moved again. 

 

She pointed her finger and I saw… 

 

{Close-up on the shark poster on the wall} 

 

Hayato: This… this is the shark?

 

Oriana: Look it’s m-moving!!! It’s coming to l-life!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: Oriana… you do know that this is a poster right? 

 

Oriana: {Angry, fists on hips} W-Well… why is the p-poster moving huh? Y-You g-got an explanation for th-that uh… m-mister?

 

Hayato: Well… my guess is that fan on the wall’s probably got something to do with it, I really don’t think the shark itself is moving. 

 

Oriana: {Shocked} W-Wow… 

 

… 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail} F-Fine you won this o-one… 

 

Won it…? Was I really trying to win anything?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaaaah! The cute d-dolphin… it’s g-going to be eaten b-by the sh-shark!

 

Ah… this girl. 

 

 

I think that’s about everything there was to examine in this first lab. Better make my way to the next one. 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{Move to Physics lab} 

 

{This room seems to be the thematic opposite of the previous lab. It has the same layout of shelves on the edges and a large central table but this time everything is perfectly clean and organised. The shelves are filled with binders which are colour coded and labelled as well as lab equipment. On the table there are a few bunsen burners and what looks like an electrical circuit. On the walls, posters similar to the marine biology lab’s except these ones represent atoms, electrons and a pendulum. Fusume is here} 

 

Damn… this lab looks like the marine biology one before the storm. 

 

I feel like I’m not supposed to touch anything… it’s all a little bit too clean isn’t it? 

 

Guess I should still take a quick look just in case.

 

{Examine Center Table} 

 

Everything’s perfectly organised here, I don’t think I’ll find anything of use on this table considering that I can already see what’s on it… 

 

… 

 

Bunsen burners… ah, good memories. 

 

Not the time Hayato, we’ll set something on fire on another occasion. 

 

{Examine Shelves} 

 

The colour coding on these folders is very satisfying… It goes from yellow then orange then red… it just blends super nicely, you know. 

 

It’s so pleasant to look at… I can’t even imagine the disaster if somebody was to ruin this for me… 

 

Heh, as much as I’d enjoy staying here and take in the beauty of the binders… I should probably make better use of my time before somebody comes here and… judges me. 

 

{Examine Posters} 

 

Just regular physics themed poster… nothing much to see here. 

 

I sure hope to god that Monokuma hasn’t vandalized these ones… I just won’t check… you can’t be disappointed if you don’t try right? 

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume: {Yawns} Hello… 

 

Hayato: Hi Fusume… how are you feeling?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Like crap. 

 

Damn, I didn’t actually expect a straightforward answer! Uh… what do I say? 

 

Hayato: I’m… sorry to hear that. 

 

Fusume: {Yawns} I’m okay… it’s just everything that’s been happening… it’s so frustrating.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I swore to keep everyone safe… and yet we’re almost left with half the people we started with… I’m making a pitiful excuse of a leader. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I should probably let Reijiro handle this… he seems to be better at handling the pressure than I am. 

 

Hayato: Huh, I wouldn’t say that… 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Wh-Why not? 

 

Hayato: Well, I don’t think that Reijiro’s really managing everything that well either. It’s obviously been getting to him too!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} But… he seems so calm and collected… he even managed to cool me down this morning… despite how stressed I was. 

 

Hayato: But Fusume… you know that’s just how he is. Reijiro is good at keeping a straight face even when stuff gets hard… but it still gets to him, of course it does. 

 

Hayato: I’ve seen him crack before. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Without another word, Reijiro started walking away… but once he was almost out of earshot, I heard him mutter something under his breath.  

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It’s almost like… they’ve all forgotten… 

 

Reijiro: {Sad} They forgot  that my life’s on the line… 

 

Reijiro: {Leaves} 

 

I… I’d never seen him look this distraught. I guess this fasting thing is really starting to get to him isn’t it…? Maybe I should talk to Fusume about it later. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: I never got a chance to mention it to you… but yeah, Reijiro took all that quite hard. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} And… I didn’t even notice… that he was suffering… 

 

Hayato: No, that’s not what you’re supposed to take away from this. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Then what is? 

 

Hayato: That he’s not made of stone… and neither are you. The both of you have a lot of pressure on your backs and it’s normal that you’re finding it hard. 

 

Hayato: And that’s why you’re both our leaders… this isn’t an easy position… and I’m here for you if you need support. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} … 

 

Fusume: {Confident} You… you’re right. Thank you Hayato. 

 

Fusume: {Content} I suppose that I needed that… I’m going to give this investigation my all! 

 

Hayato: No worries… I’ll keep you posted if I find anything! 

 

Ultimate Author? More like Ultimate Therapist!

 

In all seriousness… we all know that Fusume puts too much pressure on herself… I’m glad if I managed to help her, at least a little bit. 

 

… 

 

Time to move on. 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 1st floor} 

 

{Move to Computer lab} 

 

{This lab is smaller than the other two, there are six tables in two rows of three, each with their own computer and keyboard. In one corner of the room, we can see crates filled with electrical wiring and cables. The room as a whole almost looks like a classroom. Reijiro is here.}

 

This feels like the old computer rooms in my middle school, these monitors look quite old… I wonder if there’s any use even checking them out. 

 

The more this goes the more this building reminds me of my school… that’s gotta be a coincidence… right? 

 

{Examine Old computer} 

 

This computer… it’s got to be at least 10 years old… this brings back many memories of my youth and my family’s very first computer… 

 

Good times… 

 

Still, this feels quite out of place in a futuristic type of resort like this one. 

 

… 

 

Wait! Could it be? If these have any access to the internet we might be able to contact the outside!

 

I turned one of the computers on at random and after what felt like ages I was finally logged into the damned thing. 

 

… 

 

Huh, no signal… can’t say that I’m surprised. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} None of them have any signal, I already tried them all. 

 

Hayato: Oh! You have?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Would have been too good to be true, don’t you think? 

 

Maybe I should take this opportunity to check up on Reijiro… 

 

{Talk to Reijiro} 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I expected better from a so-called computer lab… these are ancient… and frankly quite useless. 

 

Hayato: Yeah, I mean… what’s the point of them exactly? They don’t have access to internet and they don’t seem to have any files on them at all. 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Correct, all of them only have one folder called “livestream”… except that it is empty. 

 

Hayato: The folder… is empty?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Indeed, there is not a single file in them. 

 

Hayato: That’s… definitely weird. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I suppose this lab really is completely useless… 

 

Hayato: By the way, are you doing okay?

 

Reijiro: {Looks down with glasses shining} Me? Why would I not be?

 

Hayato: I don’t know… with Fusume’s breakdown… Tadao and Yoko’s deaths and your forced starvation, I would have assumed that you’d still be under all that. 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} My starvation is behind me, there is no need to think about it… and the rest of it, as tragic as it all is, we must move forward… that is the only way out of this place. 

 

Hayato: But-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} As I said, I am fine. 

 

Okay, maybe I shouldn’t press him any further on this topic… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I have already spent enough time in this pointless lab… I should get going. 

 

Hayato: Oh… okay.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Before you leave, you might want to have a look in that crate over there… there could be something of interest in there. 

 

Hayato: That tangled mess? Do I really have to? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… 

 

Hayato: When you say “might be”, does that mean you know for a fact there is… or does that mean you just can’t be bothered to look into it yourself? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Heh, farewell. {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

This guy… I can’t believe him. 

 

*Sigh*, do I really have a choice here? 

 

{Examine Crate} 

 

A bunch of cables are intertwines and tangled in this crate, so much so that it’s impossible to see where one starts and ends. 

 

I cannot be bothered to deal with this… but at the same time… one of these cables could be important, maybe I’ll find something I can plug in one of these computers. 

 

Dammit… I guess I’d better get stuck in already.

 

 

 

 

After what felt like hours I finally managed to sort out the different pieces of wiring… 

 

Most of them seem perfectly useless but there is one thing that did jump to my attention. 

 

{Close-up on a small camera connected to a thin black cable} 

 

I’ve heard of those… they’re hidden cameras you can just plant in a room to film what’s going on without anybody noticing. 

 

As shady as it seems… this could end up being useful in some way shape or form. 

 

I’ll just leave it on the desk for Reijiro to look at it when he comes back. 

 

… 

 

I’ve done my fair share of manual labour for the day… I’d better get going. 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 1st floor} 

 

{Examine “Jules Verne Staircase”} 

 

I’m assuming this door leads to a staircase… judging by it’s label. 

 

This is quite an imposing door, almost like one you’d find closing a vault.

 

Jules Verne huh? He’s a famous French author, I did read quite a few of his books… he was really talented that’s for sure. Why’s this staircase named after him though…? I can’t said I have the faintest clue. 

 

Maybe seeing what’s behind that door will help me crack the case.

 

… 

 

*Click* *Click*

 

No luck… it’s locked. 

 

 

There’s no reason for this big ass door to be here if we’re not to go through it… I guess we’re just no supposed to see whatever’s behind it just yet.

 

I shouldn’t forget about this. 

 

 

That’s about it for the first floor… all these labs were quite fascinating… but not too useful for my investigation… I should make my way up to the second floor… hopefully I’ll have better luck there. 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 2nd Floor} 

 

{The second floor has a similar disposition than the first one. Three identical doors are disposed in a straight line. They’re labeled “Station A”, “Station B”, and “Station C”}

 

What’s this with all these stations…? Talk about enigmatic naming…  

 

There’s no point in speculating… I should get in there already. 

 

{Move to Station A} 

 

{Station A’s essentially a large library. Six thick bookshelves make up the entire room. They’re each labeled with a different subject matter, all of them pertaining to wildlife or the sciences as a whole. Kenji is here} 

 

Huh… this feels like a mix between the Black Building’s library and the Yellow building’s archives. 

 

It’s like there’s almost no space to breath in here… the books take all the space. Not that I’ll complain, this might be surprising but I kinda like books. 

 

Heh, the more time goes the more I ressemble Kenji’s imitation of me from a few days ago… and god knows I’d kill for herbal tea right about now. 

 

{Examine “Seas and Oceans” Bookshelf}

 

I guess these are the books which didn’t make it into the marine biology lab. That isn’t high praise as far as I’m concerned. 

 

{Examine the “Chemistry” Bookshelf} 

 

Nothing too special here, just a bunch of books about chemistry… with biology and physics getting their own labs, it almost feels unfair that this is all that chemistry gets. 

 

If I have some time I might take a look at some of those later… 

 

… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Hey! What are you doing here!?

 

Hayato: Aah!

 

Jesus, where did he come from?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I asked you question!

 

Hayato: Kenji… you scared me!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} This is part of your initial investigation bull crap isn’t it…? 

 

Hayato: Yeah… we agreed that it was wise for everyone to take a good look around the new building for today. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Mmhm… do whatever you want, just don’t fucking bother me okay?

 

Hayato: What are you doing here anyway?

Kenji: {Hands on hips} These books about the wildlife… I’m studying them. 

 

Hayato: Studying them? 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Nobody knows nature like I do here alright? If there’s something useful I can do, it’s probably regarding this. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} So I’m just spending fucking ages searching through these books in case there’s any secret clue somewhere!

 

He’s… trying to be useful? 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Hey! Quit looking at me like that!

 

Hayato: Looking at you how?

 

Kenji: {Furious} You’re fucking judging me! You didn’t think I’d try helping y’all did you?

 

Hayato: No, that’s not it!

 

Kenji: {Pulling on shirt collar} Get out of my fucking sight will ya?

 

When he makes that face I feel like he’s gonna smash my head in or something… I should probably leave him to his studying for now. 

 

It is quite pleasing to see that he’s trying to redeem himself… Kenji style. 

 

… 

Maybe I should learn a thing or two from him… he’s right after all, something important could be hiding in plain sight in one of these books. 

 

It won’t hurt to just flip through a couple of these will it? 

 

I’ll just make sure to be quiet in order not to disturb Kenji… for his sake and mine. 

 

 

 

 

I have to say… some of these works are actually interesting… but I just can’t seem to find anything that could help us in any way whatsoever. 

 

I’ll come back to finish my lectures in later times… but I should probably move on for now before the day ends… 

 

Two more stations to go. 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 2nd floor} 

 

{Move to Station B} 

 

{Station B looks like a fancy type of changing room. In the center of the room are two benches with coat hangers disposed along them. On the benches and hangers, we can see a large number of life jackets, security whistles and torches among other things. The walls are covered by rows of orange lockers. Finally, in the far left corner of the room, there is a simple looking washing machine. Jessie and Raiko are here.}

 

Huh… a changing room? Again, that’s pretty disappointing with a title like Station B. 

 

Who makes up these room names seriously?

 

No matter, I’ll take a good look around. This looks like the sort of place where something could be hiding. 

 

I won’t rest until I’ve inspected every suspicious looking nook and cranny. 

 

{Examine Life jackets} 

 

Nothing too special here, standard life jackets you’d get upon going on a boat or an airplane… the real question is, what are they doing here?

 

{Examine Washing machine} 

 

Again, pretty normal looking. This could be useful if we ever wanted to do our laundry… 

 

Which now that I think of it we haven’t done once in all our time here… even though it’s been over two weeks. 

 

With all the murdering going on, I didn’t think about this… but how has my closet been getting filled up again and again just like that…?

 

And how did Monokuma get so many copies of my outfit…?

 

So many questions spanning from a simple washing machine. 

 

It’s no use to worry about this for now. I’ll just accept that my clothes keep on getting cleaned and I won’t ask any questions. 

 

Don’t worry… it’s that simple. 

 

{Examine Bench} 

 

These benches are covered in stuff you’d probably carry upon going for a hike or something… whistles, torches, a map, a compass and this big roll of brown tape. 

 

Why’s all this stuff there in the first place and more importantly… what is this room exactly? 

 

{Talk to Jessie} 

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Oh, heya Hayato-kun… I was just checking out these lockers. 

 

Hayato: Huh, can you tell me anything about them?

 

Jessie: {Searches through backpack} Bien volontiers, there are sixteen lockers in total, each of them has a specific key to lock it. 

 

Hayato: Sixteen? That can’t be a coincidence right? 

 

Jessie: {Starry eyed} Exactly what I was thinking…! There were sixteen of us to start with… one locker for each of us. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I did wonder though… if these buildings were planned on being revealed after each trial we succeeded… then there would never actually have been sixteen people left at this point would there?

 

Hayato: That’s actually… a very good point. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hm, it’s just no use trying to understand what the point of all this is…! Waxba ma fahmin!

 

She raises a very interesting question… these buildings were designed to be only available to those of us who survive each and every trial… all sixteen of us were never going to leave the black building to start with!

 

Hayato: Thanks for this Jessie… you’ve given me a lot to think about!

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Oh uh… Είστε ευπρόσδεκτοι Hayato-kun!

 

This is all… very intriguing. 

 

{Talk to Raiko}

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Hm… what does this all mean?

 

She looks deep in thought, I don’t think she’s noticed me. 

 

Hayato: Hey Raiko. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You… 

 

Hayato: Me? 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} What are you doing… talking to me? 

 

What the hell does that mean?

 

Hayato: I just wanted to check up on you… see if you’d discovered anything interesting-

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I’m not your friend Hayato… I’m not your ally either! You can’t just come to me for information!

 

Hayato: What!? B-But… you helped us through the trial and-

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I wasn’t helping you… I was just doing what I had to do in order to survive. 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} My goal is still to win this killing game… and I’m not afraid to get you all killed if that’s what it takes!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} D-Don’t you forget that! {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

Wow… okay. As aggressive as that was, I almost felt a hint of hesitation in those threats of her… 

 

Is she trying to scare me? 

 

Raiko… what exactly are you playing at? 

 

 

I think that wraps up Station B… aka uninspired cloakroom. There’s definitely nothing of interest in here. I should make my way to station C… 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 2nd floor} 

 

*BONK*

 

… 

 

What the hell was that?

 

I think it came from station C! I need to get there, now! 

 

Oh god… it can’t be… can it? 

 

{Move to Station C} 

 

I entered the room… and walked upon a sight more suprising that I could have ever imagined. 

 

{Scene opens on Station C, the room is filled with stuffed animals in all shapes and sizes, birds, aquatic animals and mammals are equally represented. Hikari stands next to a fallen stuffed cow} 

 

Hayato: Wh-What the hell is this!?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} H-Hey Hayato… quite a spectacle isn’t it? 

 

Hayato: What is this place exactly?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Well… judging from my preliminary analysis of Station C, I came to the conclusion that it was just a room with a bunch of stuffed animals in it!

 

Hayato: Thanks for that… detailed analysis. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} It’s not that unusual you know, I remember seeing rooms like those in natural history museums… stuffing animals is the best way to preserve them!

 

Hayato: And it doesn’t seem weird to you that such a room exists in a summer resort!!?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Well… when you put it that way…!

 

… 

 

This place is absolutely fucking terrifying… I’m speedwalking the hell out of my examination and then I’m getting out of here. 

 

{Examine Stuffed Cow} 

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera lense} I’m assuming you heard that loud noise just then. 

 

Hayato: Of course I heard it, you had me worried! What was that? 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Well… I simply rested against that cow for a second and it fell over, just like that!

 

Hayato: It fell over!?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Yeah, turns out these really aren’t that heavy. 

 

No matter their weight… that cow made quite a bang. 

 

… 

 

That’s another one for my collection of sentences I’d never thought I’d say. 

 

{Examine Stuffed polar bear} 

 

It’s imposing… even though I would have imagined that polar bears were bigger than that… this almost feels human sized, 

 

Erm, still, quite a big human… who’s flexing every muscle in his body… that’s what the pose inspires me.

 

I’m just going to move on before I get any more intimidating by a dead animal… 

 

{Examine Stuffed eagle} 

 

Majestic even in death… I can sort of see the appeal in taxidermy with some of these. 

 

My question is, how do they get the animals in such cool poses…? They obviously have to keep them like that as they stuff them… but how? 

 

It’s not like they died in those exact positions… that feels impossible. 

 

 

Thinking about it, I’ll take back what I said. Taxidermy is kinda gross. 

 

{Talk to Hikari} 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Sorry that I got you worried Hayato… I should be more careful with these things. 

 

Hayato: It’s okay, it’s just… I was scared you know. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Scared you’d stumble on a dead body already?

 

Hayato: No matter what we said… it remains a possibility. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} It always is in this place… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} But I’d rather have faith in my friends…! We need to work together in order to avoid another murder. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} That’s the only way. 

 

That optimism of hers… it’ll never cease to amaze me. 

 

… 

 

{The monitor in the room turns on} 

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong* 

 

Kurozo: Attention students, it is now 10 PM, the resort is now experiencing night time. I suggest you all go back to your rooms as some communal areas will now become off limits.

 

Kurozo: You know the drill by now… Good Night!

 

{The monitor turns off} 

 

Night time already!? How much time did I spent reading… and untanglign those damn cables!?

 

Days go by in an instant in this place I swear… I don’t have the time to do anything. 

 

 

Anyway, I managed to take a look at pretty much everything there was to investigate in this building… 

 

All I’m missing is the beach but I think I’ll have to wait until tomorrow for that. 

 

I haven’t set up any sort of meeting with Fusume or Reijiro for today and I have no way to know exactly where they’ll be to report on my findings. 

 

Sadly, these findings are, as usual, pretty much nothing. This building was intesting… and yet the most unusual one to date… these labs and stations all seem to relate to each other in some way, but I’m still missing some piece of the puzzle for it to all make sense. 

 

… 

 

I’ll meet with everyone else in the morning… today was busy enough. 

 

Honestly, the best thing I could do right now is to get a good night’s sleep, that way I’ll be prepared for whatever tomorrow throws at me.

 

Time to head back… 

 

… 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

Today was crazy… it was filled with questions… and tensions. 

 

Kurozo’s little Q&A just confused me more than anything else and the blue building as a whole make little to no sense to me. 

 

And as much as I even hate to think about it… the events of yesterday seem to have created the first real breakage in our group since we got here. 

 

We’ve had arguments, sure… but it just feels like some of us have reached a point of no-return. Shinto, Kenji, Kôzuke and Raiko… we have to find a way for all of us to get along. 

 

It’s the only way… 

 

… 

 

Overall, today was hard… but it can only get better from here…

 

Right?

 

 

 

As worried as ever, I spent a few endless minutes turning around before I finally found the strength to fall asleep. 

 

Kurozo Theater

 

Kurozo: You want me to do what!?

 

Kurozo: Speak about a random subject with a snarky tone? Why would I ever do that? It seems degrading… and most of all pointless!

 

Kurozo: Monokuma used to do it didn’t he? Of course he did… that clown!

 

Kurozo: Everything’s ego with that idiot, he even went so far as calling his silly little monologue a “theater” which is of course an insult to that word. 

 

Kurozo: Time is precious… and there simply is no point wasting it in such inanities!

 

Kurozo: I, Kurozo, will only speak the necessary and most of all I will not make a fool of myself by participating in the sort of jest that my predecessor did. 

 

Kurozo: So no… I won’t take part in your stupid “theater” segment. It stands against everything I believe in!

 

Kurozo: You might insist… but you won’t get me to do it!

 

Kurozo: You absolutely won’t!




Notes:

And so it ends, the students were promised answers and they are left with many more questions. With tensions running high, who knows what could happen next?

Now's a perfect time to try predicting what'll be going down in this one so don't hesitate to comment with what you think!

FTE will be back in the next update, here's the link to vote for your faves : https://www.strawpoll.me/19150152

As usual, thank you for reading and for the positive feedback (we've finally reached 100 kudos and I'm really happy about it)

Also, here's a reminder that you can join the story's discord server to chat with other readers, the more the merrier so join it now! (Link in the story's description)

That's it for me! I'll see you in the next one ;)

Chapter 42: Chapter 4 : 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea : Daily life part 2

Notes:

A new chapter of DR : AD! Let's see what Kurozo's got planned for our students!

FTE this time around go to Reijiro and Raiko.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{TV screen lights up, Monokuma’s usual jacuzzi has been replaced with a leather armchair which Kurozo is sitting on} 

 

Kurozo: Good morning students, I hope that all is well. The time is 8:00 AM which means that night time is officially over. 

 

Kurozo: I wish you all a productive day in the resort!

 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdSYNKNagU )

 

I could get used to this… in fact, I think I’d take anything over being awoken by Monokuma’s infuriating voice every morning.

 

Heh… I guess I shouldn’t forget that Kurozo’s just as much as a murderous psychopath as Monokuma was. 

 

Not only that but it looks like he’s got something against me for some reason… better not get too comfortable for now. 

 

 

There’s no reason for me to stay in my room indefinitely… I should make my way to the restaurant before everybody else gets here. 

 

Might as well try to be on time for once. 

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor} 

 

{Move to Restaurant} 

 

{Scene opens up on restaurant, it looks like nobody’s here} 

 

Huh? 

 

I’m earlier than usual but… where is everyone!?

 

The morning announcement went off… which means that most people should be here already!

 

Am I seriously the first one here? 

 

… 

 

{Suddenly, Shinto appears on screen} 

 

Wait!

 

Hayato: Shinto!

 

He turned around to face me and I saw… 

 

{Close-up on Shinto, his cast looks like it’s broken, he isn’t wearing his hat nor his bowtie. His hair is disheveled and he has huge bags under his eyes} 

 

He looked… absolutely terrible. 

 

Shinto: {Livid} … 

 

Hayato: Shinto… what are you doing here by yourself?

 

Shinto: … 

 

Hayato: Um… do you know where everybody is? 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} … 

 

Nothing?

 

Hayato: Hey Shinto… I know that this isn’t an easy time for you right now… but you can talk to me if you need, you know that right-

 

Shinto: … {Leaves} 

 

 

Okay… well that wasn’t too reassuring was it? 

 

Fuck, I hope that he’s gonna get better quickly… I feel awful seeing him like that. 

 

What he’s going through’s horrible… I just wish I knew how to help him. 

 

???: There you are Hayato!

 

Huh? That voice it’s… 

 

… 

 

I turned around and my jaw… dropped.

 

{Hikari’s standing at the door, she’s wearing nothing but a pink bikini}

 

Hayato: H-H-Hikari…!

 

Hikari: {Sad} What are you looking at me like that for? Aw, does this bikini not suit me? 

 

Hayato: N-No! Of course not! It uh… s-suits you!

 

Hikari: {Smile} Well, thank you very much! I appreciate it!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} I guess I’d also appreciate it if you stopped being so red. 

 

Hayato: S-Sorry!

 

God dammit Hayato… control yourself!

 

Hikari: {Sad} Also… is that Shinto I just saw coming out of here?

 

Hayato: Yeah… he’s not doing too well, I tried talking to him… didn’t really work out. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} The only thing we can do at the moment is give him some time to take in everything that happened… 

 

Hayato: But how long will that take? 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Who knows… we’ll leave that to him. 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Anyway! You’ve got to come with me! 

 

Hayato: C-Come with you? Where?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Oh come on! Can’t you guess it from what I’m wearing? 

 

What you’re wearing… is making it quite hard to focus… 

 

Hikari: {Excited} We’re having breakfast at the beach! Isn’t that exciting?

 

Hayato: Breakfast at the beach!?

 

That explains why the restaurant’s empty then doesn’t it?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Yes! I came up with the idea to boost morale!

 

Hikari: {Sad} We definitely need it at the moment… 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Everybody’s there already, come with me!

 

Hayato: Everybody!? But how? 

 

I wasn’t even late today!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Don’t start arguing with me! Just come!

 

Hayato: What about swimsuits… I don’t think I have one. 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} I’ve got it all prepared! There’s a small  hut with everything we might need for a beach party! You’ll find what you need there!

 

Hikari: Alright, no more time wasting! You’re coming with me!

 

She grabbed my hand and started running towards the beach}

 

{Screen fades to black}

 

I didn’t get a chance to investigate the beach last night… this could be useful so I won’t say no.

 

Plus… I guess it’s pretty hard to decline anything that Hikari proposes when she’s looking like that… 

 

Argh, focus Hayato!

 

{Auto-move to Beach} 

 

{Scene opens on the beach, everybody except for Raiko and Shinto seem to be here, Reijiro being the only one who isn’t wearing a swimsuit of some sort. The beach is quite small, there are a few sunbeds on one end and a wooden hut on the other. Finally, there seems to be a sort of banquet with several types of food in the center.} 

 

Fusume: {Content} Hayato! You made it!

 

Fusume’s… also in a bikini?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} I had to drag him by force but here he is!

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Heya Hayato-kun! C’mon where’s your swimming gear!?

 

Hayato: I uh… y-you see. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} H-Hayato… is s-something wrong? 

 

All these girls… they’re… they’re… 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Heh! Looks like Hayadog’s a bit flustered!

 

Hayato: M-Me? I’m not flustered!

 

Kenji: What’s wrong? Not used to seeing so much skin?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Kenji! That’s not funny!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Oh come on… don’t break my balls I’m allowed to have my fun okay!? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I beg of you… do not start another row.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yo… are you seriously not gonna change bro?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} You’re gonna get sand in those fancy shoes of yours y’know?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I have no interest in swimming… hence, there is no point in me changing from my usual outift. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Heh, I bet someone’s just a bit self conscious about getting shirtless!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} That is… complete nonsense!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Guys, who cares!? Reijiro-kun is free to wear whatever he feels like wearing!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Precisely… {Step back, distraught} W-Wait! Why do I feel so patronised!?

 

Just a normal day in the office… excluding the fact that the girls look unreasonably attractive… 

 

I’m not made of glass… I feel these things! Don’t judge me! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Make yourself at ease Hayato… but do come and talk to me once you’re ready… we have some things to discuss. 

 

Hayato: O-Okay!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} S-Stop Blushing dammit! 

 

I need to start control my body… this is getting ridiculous! 

 

Hayato: S-Sorry… 

 

Shame on you Hayato… shame on you! 

 

 

In all seriousness… this is a good opportunity to give this beach a look through… I should make sure to talk to everyone and investigate this place properly.

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume: {Content} Good morning Hayato! I hope you slept well!

 

She looks so happy she’s practically glowing… that’s quite unusual coming from her but it’s nice to see. 

 

Hayato: Yeah I slept alright… so tell me, what’s this beach thing all about? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Mhm… I’m glad you asked for that is also what I wanted to talk to you about. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hikari pulled me over last night and brought up he idea… I wasn’t too sure at first but I actually believe we might need this… as a group. 

 

Hayato: We… need it? How so?

 

Fusume: {Content} Just look at them!

 

{Camera pans out to show everybody. Kenji and Jessie are playing in the water, Kôzuke seems to be running around the buffet, Hikari and Oriana are building a sandcastle while Reijiro watches with his usual grin} 

 

Fusume: The group has been more tense than ever since the last trial… for good reason, but still… this atmosphere of distrust is exactly what I want to avoid… 

 

Hayato: You think… the tensions could lead to murder?

 

Fusume: I… I cannot say. I do have faith that we’ve all been through so much that we’d be over all this… but I can’t tell for sure. 

 

Fusume: This… won’t happen… look at how happy everyone looks… I won’t let it all go to shit again… 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I have the blood of so many of our classmates on my hands… I cannot let us down again. 

 

Hayato: Fusume… 

 

Fusume: {Wiping tears} Hngh… look at me being all gloomy when this is supposed to be a happy occasion!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Go… have fun, don’t listen to little all me. 

 

Hayato: Hey! I’m not going to leave you if you need to talk to someone. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I said have fun!

 

Hayato: O-Okay! My bad.  

 

Fusume… she blames herself so much for what happened… the truth is that she’s putting so much pressure on her own shoulders and that’s what making it so hard for her. 

 

I guess I’d better leave her be… for now. 

 

{Talk to Kôzuke} 

 

Once again, he’s concentrating so hard on what he’s doing that I don’t think he heard me approaching him. 

 

Hayato: Hey Kôzuke! Did you set this up yourself? It sure looks like a ton of work…

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Y-Yes! It was me! It was all me! I made this!!!

 

Hayato: W-Wow! Okay.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} This is me… showing that I can be useful!!! Y-You see! I’m being useful. 

 

Hayato: Kôzuke… you know you don’t need to prove that to us right… we like you the way you are… 

 

Kôzuke: {Sad} A-Are you saying that me waking up at 5:00 AM to set this all up… was useless!!?

 

Hayato: N-No! That’s now what I said!

 

5:00 AM!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m just trying to redeem myself man… and I just don’t know how to do it!

 

He’s working so hard… I should just let him have it… even though this clearly isn’t healthy!

 

Kôzuke: {Sad} Gghnh… I’m s-such a failure man!

 

Hayato: Kôzuke!

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} Huh!?

 

Hayato: Please, tell me about what I can eat 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Of course! Y-You’ve got… fruits and cakes and different types of bread man!

 

Kôzuke: {Pleased} Basically everything you’d find at the usual breakfast buffet!

 

Kôzuke: {Sad} I’m not too good at cooking… so all I did was transport the everyday stuff to here!

 

Hayato: Well, it’s still a lot of work… you can be proud of yourself. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Thanks man… I tried my best. 

 

Poor guy… he really just needs a friend right now… but seeing how Kenji won’t talk to him and Shinto… well, Shinto won’t talk to anyone, I guess I’m the best he has for the moment… 

 

I’ll have to do my best to make him feel useful. 

 

{Talk to Hikari} 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Take a look at the sandcastle we’re making Hayato! Isn’t it beautiful?

 

Oriana: {Shy look} I… h-hope you like it… I p-put a lot of uh… e-effort into m-making this! 

 

I can’t really say anything negative here can I…? 

 

{Close-up on the sandcastle, it’s rather small but it looks solid. It outer walls have been decorated with seashells and algae. It’s obvious that a lot of care has been put into it} 

 

Hayato: I like it! Of course I do! 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} R-Really…?

 

Hayato: Well, what is there not to like? This is a great sandcastle Oriana!

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} Kyaaah! Th-Thank you!!!

 

Hayato: You’ll have to teach me how to be as good as you! I’ve never been able to build anything that stands… 

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} Y-Yes… I’ll t-teach you wh-whenever!

 

She turned back to her castle. 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} You handled that well… she needs all the moral support that she can get. 

 

Hayato: Yeah, I thought so… is she doing okay?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Sometimes it’s hard to think that she’s just as old as the rest of her… she really has become like a little sister to me. 

 

Hayato: I think that sort of relationship is probably beneficial to the both of you… wouldn’t you say?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} That’s fair… this hasn’t been easy for anyone… I’m glad we’re able to take small breaks like that…

Hikari: {Distressed} We’re just teenagers… we shouldn’t be put through all this!

 

Hayato: I know Hikari… trust me, I know. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Ngh… 

 

Hayato: This type of gathering does help Hikari… you’re right, we need breaks like these. You did well organising this. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You think…?

 

Oriana: {Trembling} H-Hikari! I th-think I f-found a crab! C-Come here!

 

Hikari: {Softly} Duty calls… I’ll see you around I guess. 

 

Hayato: Y-Yeah! Of course!

 

… 

 

Hikari… 

 

{Talk to Kenji} 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Kenji-kun, don’t splash me! 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Hey! You did it first!

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up with a smile} Yeah… but I’m a girl… you wouldn’t hurt a girl would you!?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} We’ll see about that! Come here!

 

I feel like I’m interrupting something here… 

 

Jessie: {Starry eyed} Hayato-kun! Come join us! The water’s super nice!

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} Yeah dog, where’s your swimsuit!?

 

Oh! That’s right… with all the mingling I’ve been doing, I didn’t end up getting changed! 

 

Kenji: {Flexing biceps} You’re welcome to come with us… if you’re not too intimidated that is! 

 

Ugh… is he gonna start bragging about his body again?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Don’t feel insecure… not everybody’s got as banging a body as me, ya feel?

 

Yep, as expected.

 

Jessie: {Excited} Come on Hayato-kun!!

 

Hayato: You know what… I think I’ll pass. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Heh, suit yourself. 

 

… 

 

I feel like I dodged a bullet right there. 

 

{Talk to Reijiro}

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… I see that you too decided against putting on your swimwear. 

 

Hayato: Yeah, I guess swimming’s not really my thing.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The same can be said for me… I was initially against this… gathering but upon witnessing it I suppose that this is good for morale. 

 

Hayato: I agree, some of us really needed a break after everything that happened. 


Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} It is a shame that not everybody showed up… not that I expected those two to show up. 

 

Hayato: Shinto definitely needs a morale boost I have to agree.  

 

Hayato: And Raiko… well, I’m not too sure what her gameplan is at the moment. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I am glad to hear you mentioning that as she is an issue we need to discuss. 

 

Hayato: Raiko…? What’s up with her? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Well, that is the problem, we have no idea what she is up to… what her next move will be. 

 

Hayato: You think she’s planning something? 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} We cannot tell for sure… but knowing her it seems very likely. 

 

Even after the way she’s behaved herself during the last trial… it’s basically impossible for us to trust Raiko after everything she’s done. 

 

Hayato: So… what exactly do you want to talk about then? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph, to hear that you will have to wait until later today.

 

Hayato: What?

 

Reijiro: I am only but the messenger… Fusume is the one who wanted to talk to the both of us. 

 

Hayato: Fusume…? She’s the one who sent you?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} If that is what you want to call it… yes, she did send me. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I propose that you meet us in the Red Building’s Spa after lunch… we can talk without interruption there. 

 

So we’re meeting in the spa to talk about Raiko… I feel strong déja-vu with this one. 

 

Hayato: Okay Reijiro… I’ll be there. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I expected no less- 

 

???: Good morning students!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} H-Huh?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} That voice. 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} It is I, Kurozo joining your little tea party!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hey! That’s not what this is… and anyway you weren’t invited!

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Huh… but look at the effort I’ve put in, I’m even wearing a flower necklace… isn’t that festive?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Th-That… d-doesn’t change that we d-don’t want you here!

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} Rude!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaah!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Why don’t you skip the formalities and tell us why you’re here!

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Hm… I suppose that is the most appropriate use of everybody’s time. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Don't worry… my announcements will be short. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Th-They better be man!

 

What will it be this time…? 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} I would like all of you to join me in front of the Jules Vernes Staircase at 8PM tonight where your latest motive will be unveiled. 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11

 

Jessie: {Shocked} The… motive?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Ngh… 

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} N-Not… again!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Wasn’t that lost one enough for you?

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} No need to panic… my motives are drastically different than my predecessor’s… 

 

Hayato: They’re different? How so? 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} I suppose you’ll have to wait and see… but don’t expect anything as taxing as the emotion motive… that particular motive was almost laughably bad. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Laughably bad…? What are you talking about?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} It was efficient, I’ll give him that…

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} But where’s the despair in a murder which you have no intention in committing!?

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} The emotions motive made you lose control over your bodies… meaning it wasn’t pushing you towards murder, it was, in certain cases, literally forcing you.

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} That’s not how a motive should work!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} You… you… 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Just give it some time… I’m sure you’ll find this motive interesting, to say the least. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You’re making it sound like we’re gonna enjoy that shit… you know damn well that won’t happen!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Your fucking motives are just a way to make us suffer!!!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I see… that’s how you see it… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} How else are we supposed to see it!? 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Your motives… they’ve led so many of our friends to their deaths… 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Just keep an open mind will you? Who knows… this might end up surprising you!

 

How… how could a new motive be anything but trouble? I don’t understand why Kurozo’s making is sound like it could be a good thing… 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Heheheh…

 

What is this guy trying to achieve here…? Telling us about a new motive before he even unveils it… 

 

He wants us dread it doesn’t he? He’s trying to get us to despair… 

 

Despair… that’s their only objective isn’t it? 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} And on that note… I shall bid my farewell… I’ll see you all tonight. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} Don’t be late!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Kurozo… before you leave, tell me something. 

 

Kurozo: {Opens books, adjusts glasses} Heh? What is it?

 

Reijiro: Why even bother with motives…?  

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} What are you talking about? Motives are the heart and soul of the killing game-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Don’t you see it!? Monokuma’s motives have been pointless this entire time!

 

Hikari: {Sad} P-Pointless?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Every single case… what really drove the culprit to murder wasn’t the motive, it was their missing memories being restored!

 

Hayato: H-Hey! That’s true!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Monokuma did end up revealing their missing memories to a student as a final attempt at murder… Reiijro’s right! His motives were pretty much made redundant!

 

Kurozo: {Sweating} That’s… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} So I ask again! Why even bother with the motives if we all know you shall end up forcing one of us to murder once we all overcome whatever idiotic motive you put us through!?

 

Kurozo: … 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} I… am… not… Monokuma! {Disappears} 

 

 

Well… that was quite something. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} It appears I have rattled him. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Good riddance… fuck that guy. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hip} I thought he was better than Monokuma but I hate how fucking smug he is… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… that might explain a few things… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} It appears there is nothing we can do but wait until Kurozo tells us what this motive of his is all about… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Everyone! Try not to worry about it too much… we will defeat this thing together once we know what it’s about! 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} We have no choice do we…?

 

Jessie: {Sad} The cauchemar isn’t over is it…? 

 

Fusume: Don’t let this ruin your day! As Reijiro said, we’ll fight this motive… and we won’t let it drive us into anything-

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Reijiro’s… r-right…?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Kôzuke?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} If he’s right… then what even is the point in resisting it?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} This… is not the takeaway from that exchange!

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Of course it is! What’s the point in fighting the motive if that guy can just decide he’s had enough and flat out force one of us to do it!

 

Hayato: I mean… those who got their memories back weren’t forced… they still made a conscious decision!

 

Fusume: {Confident} And now that we know about it… we can endure the memories if they come back by working together!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} No… that won’t work!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} It w-won’t?

 

Kôzuke: Kyia, Rina and Tadao… they had such strong personalities… they were much tougher than I am… 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} If they couldn’t resist it than how am I supposed to do it!?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Kôzuke… they have a point, if we help you-

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I don’t want your help… I’m tired of being the dead weight around here!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Bro… this isn’t only about you! Whoever gets affected we can help!

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Kenji… that’s easy for you to say man! But you won’t help anybody will you?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What did you just say to me!?

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I’m… s-s-so… s-scared!

 

Kôzuke: Dammit!!! {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

Oriana: {Crying} … 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Damn… I… I’ll go talk to him. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Nobody should be made to feel this way… unity is what we need… we don’t want anybody to isolate themselves like he’s doing. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} … 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Kenji-kun… will you be alright?

 

Kenji: … What a fucking coward… {Leaves} 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} N-No! Come back! 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} This really has taken a turn for the worst… perhaps it is time we wrap this little gathering up. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-But… I wasn’t done with m-my sandcastle! 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} We’ll finish it another time Oriana… I think he’s right, we should probably move on to the rest of our day.

 

Jessie: {Sad} Why… why does it all have to go so wrong?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’ll try to find Kenji and Kôzuke and talk some sense into them… 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I’m sorry everyone… I… I tried my best… {Leaves} 

 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… this will be more complicated than I thought… 

 

Hayato: Reijiro? What are you talking about?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Me? Nothing… 

 

Reijiro: I propose you all go back to your rooms, I shall clean up what needs to be taken care of here… do not be late tonight. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Reijiro-kun! Let me help you! That’s a lot of work you’re putting on your plate!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I said that I would do it! 

 

Reijiro: {Pinches bridge of his nose} Just… let me do this… please. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} O-Okay then… I’ll see you all tonight I guess. 

 

Reijiro: {Points to Hayato} You. Do not forget about what I told you earlier!

 

The meeting… I definitely haven’t forgotten. I think we need to discuss stuff even more with everything that’s just happened. 

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

This beach breakfast was supposed to cheer everybody up and it ended up creating even more tensions… and I feel so helpless with the whole thing.

 

Is there anything that I can do other than just wait until our group implodes?

 

… 

 

Disheartened, I made my way back to my room. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

… 

 

As much as I’d be fine with staring at the ceiling all day… I should probably do something. 

 

Staying by myself won’t help the group… Socializing is the least I can do in this situation.

 

… 

 

Alright then, what should I do with my free time? 

 

{Free time starts}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdSYNKNagU )

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Beach} 

 

{Reijiro is here} 

 

{Talk to Reijiro} 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… I recall saying I wanted to be left alone for the time being… did you not hear me? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I suppose that now that you are here, you may as well help me with cleaning up the beach… 

 

Do I want to spend time with Reijiro?

 

{Yes/No} 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Very well… if that is what you wish to do then let us work together… it will be over quicker this way. 

 

… 

 

I spent the rest of the morning with Reijiro cleaning up the mess we’d made at the beach. 

 

The tables and food left at the buffet had to taken back to the cafeteria while all the paper plates and trash had to be brought to the garbage room for recycling. 

 

It doesn’t seem like much but it did take us a few hours to get everything sorted.

 

I think we grew a bit closer. 

 

Once we were done, we sat down at a cafeteria table to rest for a few minutes. 



{Auto-move to Restaurant} 

 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Mmph, stop that!

 

Hayato: M-Me? What did I do?


Reijiro: {Sly grin} Yes, obviously you. You looked at me like you wanted to ask me something meaningless… which means I’m going to have to stop you before you do so!

 

Hayato: H-Hey! I wasn’t going to ask a meaningless question!

 

Reijiro: {Opens book} Oh! Was my intuition wrong?

 

Hayato: Well… I did have a question for you, but it isn’t meaningless at all! 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} *Sigh* There is no use in trying to stop you is there? 

 

Hayato: If you don’t mind… I am quite curious. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Fine… I suppose I have no choice but to listen. 

 

Hayato: Okay then, thanks for the enthusiasm. 

 

Hayato: I wanted to ask you how exactly you got your talent… you know what does the Ultimate Intellectual do?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… intriguing, could it be that you do not think my place in Hope’s Peak is deserved? 

 

Hayato: N-No, that’s not what I said?

 

Reijiro: {Amused} I jest… truth is, it is quite complicated to describe what it is that I do… 

 

Hayato: …

 

Reijiro: … 

 

Hayato: And? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} That’s it.

 

Hayato: Oh… I thought that you were going somewhere with that sentence. 

 

Hayato: I’m sure there’s some way for you to explain it! You didn’t get your talent just for being smart right? You must have done something in particular to deserve it! 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… I suppose I could tell you about the moment I was approached by the talent scouts!

 

Hayato: Yeah, that’d be a start. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I was giving a conference in a university… it was an in depth study of greek philosophy and its impact in modern society.

 

Wow, that sounds… interesting?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Of course… the students I was lecturing were all much older than me… which meant I was not taken too seriously despite my advanced knowledge of the subject. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} It was truly quite humiliating… I did not think that anybody had been listening to me. 

 

Reijiro: {Pinches bridge of his nose} All I could hear during the entire conference were students gossiping and… frankly ignoring me. 

 

Reijiro: {Sad expression, rubs eye} I was not used to feeling so ignored… I hate that feeling with all my being. 

 

Well… this story turned dark really quickly didn’t it?

 

Hayato: And so uh… what happened next? 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} I walked out of the amphitheater frankly dejected… I wanted to stop giving these talks. 

 

Reijiro: {Sad expression, rubs eye}} What was the point of trying to instruct people if nobody would listen?

 

Reijiro: I was ready to give up… and that is when a scout came to talk to me… right when I was at my worst.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} He told me that he found my conference fascinating and that he thought that I should meet with him in order to discuss my future… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} He gave me his card… and the rest is history. 

 

Hayato: Huh, so you were directly approached by one of the scouts huh? I thought that they were generally supposed to contact us by letter… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Perhaps… but that is the way it happened for me. 

 

Reijiro: That particular scout broke the existing protocol by approaching me directly…

 

Reijiro: {Sad expression, rubs eye} And in doing so, he saved me. 

 

Huh?

 

Hayato: He saved you? What do you mean by that?

 

Reijiro: … 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… that is quite enough time wasting. 

 

Hayato: What!?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I have entertained your curiosity… but I have other business to attend to now. 

 

Hayato: Oh yeah? What kind of business?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} … 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Ahem, my business… is none of your concern! 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Now if you excuse me… I shall take my leave. 

 

Hayato: Just… wait a second!

 

Reijiro: {Sad expression, rubs eye} … {Leaves} 

 

 

That was interesting to say the least… I didn’t expect such a sad story when I first asked my question…

 

This has just made me even more curious about his past… what does this all mean? How did the scout save him exactly?

 

I’ll have to press him on it the next time we hang out… even though it won’t be easy to get any sort of information out of him. 

 

Despite how closed off he tries to be, I understand Reijiro a bit better now. 

 

{Reijiro’s report card has been updated based on your experience with him} 

 

There’s no point in me staying here by myself… I should probably head back to my room for the time being. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

It’s almost time for my meeting with Reijiro and Fusume… after everything that’s happened this morning I don’t want to make them wait.

 

I should get going to the spa. 

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Red Building - Entrance} 

 

{Move to Red Building - East Wing} 

 

{Move to Spa} 

 

{Scene opens on the Spa, Fusume and Reijiro are here} 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph, look who came on time. 

 

I swear he made the exact same comment last time… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato, welcome! 

 

Hayato: Hey guys, did I miss anything? 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} No… I myself just got here. 

 

Hayato: Oh okay… guess I really did come on time for once. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Indeed… now let us move on to the topic of discussion. 

 

Hayato: You wanted to talk about Raiko right? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} At first, it was only her… but after the events of this morning, it’s become clear that she isn’t the only problematic person at the moment. 

 

Hayato: Hm… you’re talking about Kenji and Kôzuke right? 

 

Fusume: Yes, and I believe you can also add Shinto to that list. 

 

Hayato: Shinto?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Correct… the way he’s isolating himself… it doesn’t forbode anything good for him. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Any member of the group isolating themselves is a problem… both for that person and for the rest of us. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The person in question will be an easy target for a killer… and that’s not good for anybody. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We must avoid another class trial… by any means necessary. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} And that means we can’t let these people detach themselves from the group… 

 

Hayato: Oh wow… I see that you two really have your mind set on this huh? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} This problem has become evident to the two of us… and we believed it was appropriate to share that information with you. 

 

Hayato: Well uh… thanks for trusting me with this. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Don’t worry about it… Now, shall we get into it? 

 

Hayato: So, what have you guys thought about as a solution? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Here is the issue… we do not have the faintest idea of how to handle this situation. 

 

Hayato: Oh… you don’t?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Not really… this is why we thought we’d set up this meeting and brainstorm this through. 

 

Hayato: I see… well, let’s do that then. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Starting with Raiko… she’s going to be the hardest to deal with… she’s been isolated from day one… she hasn’t ever made an attempt at getting along with us. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Worst than that… she’s responsible for the death of four of our classmates. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} In essence, she’s the only one for whom there is no chance we bring her back to the group… she’ll never really change her ways. 

 

Hayato: And even if she did, I don’t think the rest of the group would be fine with acting like it was normal. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Hey, Hayato… don’t let it get to you… he’s just messing with your head is all. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Hold on! just because you didn’t kill anyone this time around… doesn’t mean that you can talk to us like we gave a shit about your opinion!

 

Kenji: You’re still the same manipulative bitch who caused our friends’ death! Got it!?

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} Nngh… 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} You… you’re welcome for helping you survive this trial! {Leaves} 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: Kenji’s still angry at what happened… and he’s not the only one. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} The fact does remain that she did seem to have a change of heart during the last trial… she had no trick up her sleeve whatsoever. 

 

Fusume: It seems like her sole intention was to help… surprisingly.

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Forgive me for being blunt… but that just does not cut it for me. 

 

Hayato: What do you mean?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I mean, sure… she might have behaved herself during the last trial but that does not make the rest of her actions go away in my book. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} If it was not for everybody’s sake… I would find it difficult to accept her back into the group. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No matter what she’s done… she’s still one of us!

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} One of us who single handedly got four of our classmates killed!

 

Hayato: Guys! Let’s calm down here! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I am always calm. 

 

Hayato: Seriously, there’s no point arguing… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} You’re right… the point here is to figure out how to solve our problems… not create new ones.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Even if we disagree on what she deserves… I concede that ideally we should be able to monitor her movements in some way. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} After all… it is in the shadows that she is most dangerous. 

 

Hayato: Well… how do we do that considering that she’ll never join the group willingly?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I believe that I have the solution to this conundrum. 

 

Hayato: Go on… 

 

Reijiro: {Opens book} During my investigation in the newly opened blue building… I have stumbled upon a small recording device that I believe could be useful in this context. 

 

Wait… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Most of them seem perfectly useless but there is one thing that did jump to my attention. 

 

{Close-up on a small camera connected to a thin black cable} 

 

I’ve heard of those… they’re hidden cameras you can just plant in a room to film what’s going on without anybody noticing. 

 

As shady as it seems… this could end up being useful in some way shape or form. 

 

I’ll just leave it on the desk for Reijiro to look at it when he comes back. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: You mean the hidden cameras that I found and put out for you!?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Heh, tomato, tom a to… who found them does not change much. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hidden cameras…? What are you talking about?  

 

{Close-up on the cameras} 

 

Hayato: They’re small cameras that I found in the computer lab. They can be easily hidden and you can plug them into a computer to see what you recorded!

 

Reijiro: I believe you can see where I am going with this… right?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: You want us to spy on Raiko!?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Spy is a big word… I think of it as… monitoring her. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Absolutely not! 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} How else do you want us to keep tabs on her then!? 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I… I don’t know but we won’t do something so underhanded as to spy on her! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} This isn’t how we do things! 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… if you’re so against it… I’ll keep those for another occasion. 

 

Hayato: But if not with the cameras… how are we supposed to know what she’s up to? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I suppose that there is one way… and you won’t like it Hayato. 

 

Oh god. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Perhaps you should catch up with her… and maybe spend some time with her!

 

Hayato: Me? Why me!?

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} You’re closest to her out of the three of us… she’d never open up to us, even if we tried!

 

Hayato: You do realise that the last time we did this she blew my cover instantly right!?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Does it even matter if she knows why you are meeting her? As long as you make sure that she is not doing anything suspicious… it works for us. 

 

Hayato: So you’re telling me I’ve basically got to stalk her… is that it? 

 

Fusume: {Content} Essentially… yes. But only for a short period of time… at least until we find a better solution… 

 

Hayato: Ugh… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Either way, things will likely change once the new motive is unveiled… depending on what it is, she might feel obliged to work with us! 

 

Hayato: Talking about the motive… do you have any idea what it could be?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Not a clue… I did however find the way Kurozo talked about it quite intriguing… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} No matter what it is… it will surely be testing… and we will likely have to cooperate to get the better of it. 

 

Hayato: He did say that it would be less taxing than the previous ones… I wonder what that meant. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Kurozo’s very cryptical I’ll give him that… there really is no way for us to expect what he’ll throw at us. 

 

Reijiro: {Sad expression, rubs eye} In the meantime… it is obvious that some of the others are finding the motive news hard to digest… 

 

Hayato: Definitely… especially Kôzuke… then again he’s just having a shit time in general at the moment. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Can you blame him…?

 

Hayato: No, but it’s like he’s not listening to us when we’re trying to help. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} It is hard to listen to someone when you are convinced of the opposite of what they are telling you… 

 

Reijiro: He is so convinced that he is to blame for everything that is happening to us that he has shut himself off to any sort of help. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Well… even if he says he doesn’t want our help… he most certainly needs it, same with Kenji.

 

Hayato: Kenji too?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I think that despite appearances, he’s also feeling guilty about what he did… and that’s why he’s acting even more aggressive than usual.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The truth is that he’s gone too far… and now we need to help him get back on track. 

 

Hayato: Huh… so you’re basically suggesting that we need to set up therapies for the both of them. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Don’t ridicule what I’m saying… all I mean is that perhaps they need a friend right about now to talk things through with… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} There are three people to talk to and three of us. I think such a task is doable. 

 

Hayato: Wait! What about Shinto?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… I am afraid that there is nothing we can do for him at the moment… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} He needs to grieve… and for that he needs space. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We should leave him be for the time being… he’s not the main concern at the minute. 

 

Hayato: Okay then… so it’s Kenji, Kôzuke and Raiko you want us to deal with first. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} You’re going to talk to Raiko… which means that Reijiro and I will have to find Kenji and Kôzuke. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Me? You want me to play therapist with those two…?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} You know for a fact that understanding other people’s emotions is not my strong point!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} … 


Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} F-Fine… I will see what I can do. 

 

Fusume: {Content} Perfect… then we have a plan… I think that covers everything that we wanted to talk about… right Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} R-Right… these are no solutions to our problems… only temporary fixes… but I suppose that this is better than nothing. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It most definitely is… I cannot think of anything better at least. 

 

So… the solution to the tensions is to talk our problems through the different protagonists…? I guess that holds… even though I don’t like what it means for me. 

 

 

 

Hayato: Okay then… I guess I should get going shouldn’t I? 

 

Fusume: {Content} Excited to hang out with Raiko are we?

 

Hayato: Not exactly… but I’d rather get it over quickly. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Thank you for trusting us Hayato… I promise this is for the best. 

 

Hayato: It better be… you guys can tell me how it goes on your end tonight. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} We will… {Hurt} Hopefully it won’t be too much trouble… I just want things to go back to normal. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Or at least, as normal as they can go in this place… 

 

Hayato: Good luck guys… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Have fun. 

 

Fusume: {Content} Thank you Hayato! 

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

I said my goodbyes and went back to my room. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

That was insightful enough… it appears that Reijiro and Fusume are just as clueless as I am when it comes to the group’s tensions… 

 

After all, it’s not like there’s much we can do to stop these people from acting the way they’re acting… this is just their natural response to the trauma we’ve been experiencing. 

 

Kôzuke’s panic… 

 

Kenji’s anger… 

 

Raiko’s isolation…

 

and Shinto’s muteness… 

 

We have to work around them… we can’t just expect them to go back to normal after everything that we’ve been through. 

 

Fusume’s right, Kenji and Kôzuke probably need someone to talk to in order to get over everything.

 

But Raiko… we don’t even know what’s going through her head. 

 

The only thing I can do is monitor her… in the softest way possible.

 

And that pretty much means I’m forced to spend my afternoon with her, one way or another.

 

I guess I pretty much know what I’m doing with my free time don’t I?

 

{Free time starts} 

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 2nd Floor} 

 

{Move to Station A} 

 

{Raiko is here} 

 

{Talk to Raiko} 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} It’s you… I said I didn’t want to talk to you…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Let me guess… dumb and dumber want you to spy on me don’t they…? I don’t see why else you’d be coming to me.

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} I’m reading at the moment… I can’t force you to leave… but I would prefer it if you did. 

 

Do I really want to hang out with Raiko? 

 

{Yes/No} 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Fine… I guess you can stay… but be quiet will you?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} And don’t make me repeat myself. 

 

 

I spent the afternoon in Station A with Raiko. It was definitely awkward for the first few minutes as she just went back to her book and ignored me completely while I just stood there, unsure of what I was supposed to do. 

 

After some time though, I decided to grab a book for myself and sat down with her. She initially seemed startled but she quickly calmed down and we just sat there, reading, for at least an hour. 

 

As odd as it sound… sitting there with her was quite relaxing… I think I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. 

 

I think Raiko and I got a bit closer somehow. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} … 

 

Hayato: … 

 

Just like last time I had to do this with her… we basically haven’t said a word to each other… It’s probably for the best… After all, my job here is simply to check that she’s not doing anything suspicious. 

 

Still maybe I should say something-

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I’m done with my book. You may speak now… if you’ve got anything interesting to say that is… 

 

Hayato: O-Oh Okay… well… if you do want to talk, then yeah I’ve got some stuff I’d like to ask you. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} I don’t want to talk per say… but if you’ve stayed here all this time… you might as well say something. 

 

Hayato: Well, then… maybe we could continue the conversation we had last time… about your youth. 

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Hehehe… so predictable. 

 

Hayato: Hey! You obviously made me curious! You talked about how you were bullied in school and how that’s what lead you… to do what it is that you do. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Heh, don’t start trying to humanize me. 

 

Hayato: What… do you mean?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} It’s like you’re trying to rationalize my behaviour… but you don’t need to do that. 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I went into my line of business because that’s what I like doing… the fact that I was bullied doesn’t change anything about that… 

 

Hayato: But… that’s not what you told me last time. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I think I know what it is that I told you… 

 

Hayato: Well what I think is that you’re not accepting the fact that your childhood was rough… you know that it’s good to talk about those things… right? 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Who… who do you think you are? 

 

Hayato: Wh-What!?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You don’t know me Hayato… you don’t know me at all… so stop acting like you do! 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} It’s… it’s really starting to piss me off!!!

 

Hayato: Of course I don’t know you… and that’s because you don’t want to open up to us! 

 

Hayato: I’m trying to get to know you Raiko… but you’re not letting me in!

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} Ngh… shut up! 

 

Hayato: You don’t have to act to tough… deep down I’m sure you just want to let all this anger out… 

 

Raiko: … 

 

Hayato: If I’m wrong… tell me. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Stop… talking. 

 

Hayato: I’m only trying to help-

 

Raiko: {Grimace} No, you’re not! I’m not your friend! 

 

Hayato: That’s… only because you say so. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} W-Well… I say so! You don’t know me at all… 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} And you never will! My life is none of your business! 

 

Hayato: Raiko… 


Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} You… you… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Screw you Hayato… 

 

Hayato: … 

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} How dare you… make me doubt myself… like that?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Don’t ever talk to me again! {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

I’ve had conversations that backfired… but that was a new low even for me. 

 

I guess it’s my fault for trying to understand her… that girl really is something else. 

 

As far as monitoring goes… I’ll have to delegate that to Fusume… I don’t think Raiko’s going to let me get any close to her now that this has happened. 

 

Still… this interaction has shown me fragility that I didn’t expect I’d find in her. 

 

In a way, I think I understand her a bit better. 

 

{Raiko’s report card has been updated based on your experience with her} 

 

… 

 

Left alone in Station A, I spent another few minutes finishing my chapter before I went back to my room. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

 

 

… 

 

It’s almost 8PM… meaning it’s time for Kurozo’s motive announcement… 

 

I’m really nervous about this… I can only hope that the motive won’t be as bad as the previous one… 

 

Kurozo asked us to meet him in front of the Jules Vernes staircase… that’s the door that was locked in the blue building… 

 

What could possibly be behind that door that could constitute a motive…?

 

The waiting’s been nerve racking enough… I should at least try to get to the meeting on time… 

 

{Auto-move to Blue Building - 1st floor} 

 

{The whole group but Shinto is here} 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Hm… I see that not everybody made it… 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Jessie and I tried getting Shinto to come… he isn’t answering his door. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} We’ll get him to come back to us… eventually. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} His absence was to be expected… but I am glad to see that everybody else made it. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} … 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Of course we fucking made it… I’ve been thinking about this motive shit all day. 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} S-Same… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} A-Are w-we just expected to uh… w-wait?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Patience is a virtue my young friend.

 

Oriana: {Cries} K-Kyah! He… a-a-appeared!!

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Greetings students… it is I, Kurozo, your headmaster. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You don’t need to introduce yourself y’know… we know damn well who you are. 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Heh, I smell animosity in the air… I wonder what that’s all about. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Just get to the motive will you?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Hmm… impatient are we? I understand, I’d be excited too if I were you. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Nobody said that we were excited… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing} Whatever!

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Now, move over and admire… this motive that I’ve prepared just for you!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} … *Gulp*

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Rejoice… and get ready… for the Jules Vernes project! 

 

As he said those words, the locked door started shaking briefly before opening itself!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaah! It opened… like magic!!!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Yeah… magic… I’m sure that’s what it was… 

 

{Close-up on the door, on the other side of it, there is a staircase which seems to lead to nothing but obscurity}

 

Kôzuke: Are… w-we supposed to go down there man?

 

Jessie: That looks pretty τρομακτικός … 

 

Kurozo: Rest assured… you can walk through that door safely… the motie I’ve been teasing lies down the staircase

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… how do we know that this is not a trap?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} This looks shady… I’m not sure I want to go down those stairs you know… 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} This is not a trap… you won’t be trapped in there or something… trust me!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} … You really expect us to trust you? 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forwards} Fine, let me rephrase that… you’re all coming with me… that’s an order. 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} You know what could happen if you disobey me… we don’t want it getting to that do we? 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} … So… we get no choice? 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Of course not… this is a motive after all. 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Come on now… after me. {Leaves} 

 

He disappeared down the staircase. 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I have a bad feeling about this… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Be careful… all of you. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Let’s… just go!

 

Time to see what this mysterious motive really is… 

 

{Examine Stairs} 

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

… 

 

{Scene opens on a wide hangar. In the foreground, a submarine can be seen, attached to a large metal clamp that goes all the way to the ceiling. Under the submarine, there is a small pool that seems to go beyond the room’s walls. A red fire hydrant can also be seen next to the pool. Finally, on the far wall, a large logo of Monokuma’s face seems to have been tagged} 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} What… is this place? 

 

Oriana: {Shocked} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} I… don’t like this man! 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Welcome to the Discovery Center!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The discovery… center?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Correct, this room is your newest motive!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} How can a room… be a motive?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I’m sure you have tons of questions… I shall answer them in due time. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} What the hell was that noise when we walked through the door. 

 

Kurozo: You don’t get the concept of waiting do you…? 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} I suppose it cannot be helped… that sound was what I like to call the Jules Vernes Jingle! 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} That jingle will play whenever the door leading to this hangar is opened from the outside! That way you will know exactly who comes down here at all times! 

 

Hayato: I see…

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} As another safety precaution, you may have noticed a camera in the staircase… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hey! I was about to ask you about that!

 

Kurozo: That camera will automatically take pictures of anybody who uses the staircase and send them to the computer lab! 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} And before you ask… yes, this is the only way to the Discovery Center, meaning you’ll have full knowledge of who enters and leaves the place at all times!

 

Hm… this camera system seems to work similarly to the one in the isolation room… I guess it could be helpful… just in case. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} This is all really cool and all… but why would we need to know about that? 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} And how exactly is this room a motie?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} More importantly… what is this submarine doing here? 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} The answer to all those questions is rather simple… this submarine is important… because it could be your way out of here!

 

N-No… 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Our… way… 

 

Hikari: WHAT!?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Are you implying… that we could escape the resort… through this submarine? 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Precisely, understanding how the submarine works… could be the key in escaping… this is the motive! 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} A chance at freedom… and at information!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Information?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Yes… you shall understand why in due time. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} That’s it…? That’s the motive? There’s no twist? No way to make us suffer?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} None of that… this motive is all about your fight for freedom… I did tell you that it would be different from anything you’d previously experienced!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} How… how exactly is this going to push us to kill each other? I don’t get it. 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Hmm… once again… my lips are sealed… 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} I suppose we’ll see what happens won’t we?

 

A way to escape the resort… other than murder? That’s the motive!?

 

I must admit that I’m pretty confused… I don’t understand the logic behind this. 

 

{Closeup on the submarine} 

 

Kurozo: By pressing a lever inside the control room of the submarine, it will lower itself into the pool which is connected to the ocean… 

 

Kurozo: All you have to do is navigate yourself out of the resort and you’ll be this much closer to freedom.

 

Kôzuke: F-Free… dom?

 

{Back to normal}

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} So what…? Do we just pop onto that shit and see what happens?

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Of course not! There are rules to follow! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… go ahead, tell us more about those rules. 

 

Kurozo: Well, as I’ve just said every entry and exit from this room will be monitored… that way you’ll know exactly who’s tried to escape at all times. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Furthermore, once the submarine has come into contact with water, the doors to the Jules Vernes Staircase will lock themselves… meaning it will be impossible for somebody to come to the discovery center when a dive is already in process. 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} It is also forbidden to wait around in the hangar during a dive… you’re either inside the submarine or outside the hangar… for safety reasons.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Okay… 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Finally, I should mention that the submarine is small… meaning the maximum number of people allowed inside it during a dive is five. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} Any attempt at breaking one of these rules will be punished accordingly

 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} I believe these are all the rules you should be made aware of… for practicality’s sake, I shall have them added to the rules and regulations tab of your Resident ID!

 

I felt my ID vibrate in my pocket. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} H-hey! Wait a second… only five people are allowed at once?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} But that means… that if some of us do find a way to escape… we can’t bring all ten of us with us? 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Correct… only those of you who are on board the submarine during the successful dive will be granted their freedom. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} H-hey! That’s not fair!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} The world isn’t fair… deal with it! 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} This… isn’t a problem!

 

Fusume: {Confident} The members who will manage to escape will call for help… we won’t leave anybody behind!

 

Kurozo: Sure… sure… 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} I believe this concludes this motive announcement… your first dive begins tomorrow! 

 

Hayato: Tomorrow?

 

Kurozo: It’s too late for you to dive tonight… which is why you won’t be allowed to use the submarine until tomorrow evening. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} This time will also allow me to do some final safety checks before your first dive.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Talking about safety… how do we know we won’t die aboard this thing…? Submarine are very dangerous!

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Thank you for bringing that up… submarines are indeed hard to manoeuvre… and you students definitely do not have the required training to successfully use one risk-free… 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} This is why the submarine has been equipped with an extra safety precaution. 

 

Kurozo: You see, during your dives… the submarine will remain attached to the dock thanks to a long string that will unfold when you start navigating. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} You won’t even notice that string… it’s hundreds of meters long which means it won’t pull you back, no matter how far you go. 

 

Kurozo: And obviously if you escape, that string will be sectioned in order for you to be truly free… 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} However, if you’re in danger… or you simply feel like you want to go back to the hangar, you can press the big red button labelled “Give up”. If you do that, the safety string will retract itself and pull you right back to dock. 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Thanks to this system… your safety is pretty much guaranteed! 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… I suppose this all makes sense then. 

 

Kurozo: Oh! Before I forget… for those of you who do not make it in the current dive, the submarine is equipped with a camera and its feed will be livestreamed in the computer room… which means that everybody can follow the dive even from outside the submarine. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Heh… that’s pretty cool. 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} That’s it for the motive! I hope that you will enjoy your dives… and who knows, you might even find a way out thanks to this motive!

 

Fusume: {Confident} This… this is promising!

 

Jessie: {Excited} We… we could get out of here! Finally!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} And it doesn’t involve murder! I can’t believe it. 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} I told you that you’d enjoy this motive… 

 

Kurozo: {Points to Reijiro} You now see why I shouldn’t be compared to Monokuma… this is how you pull off a good motive!

 

Reijiro: {Bows} I see… I beg your pardon for comparing you two. 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You’re forgiven… 

 

Kurozo: {Surprised, scratching trunk} Oh! Talking about that bastard… 

 

Kurozo disappeared for a second before reappearing with what looked like a giant gun. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Is that… a flame thrower?

 

{Close-up on Kurozo who runs up to the Monokuma tag} 

 

Kurozo: Die! You miserable bear!

 

{Kurozo opens fire on the wall and burns off the drawing until the wall is covered in black marks} 

 

Kurozo: Heh… that’s better.

 

{Back to normal}

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Sorry about that… I had forgotten to take care of this detail. 

 

An elephant… with a flamethrower? I have now seen everything 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} You’ve seen everything that needed to be seen… I hope that you’ll be prepared for your first dive tomorrow!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} For the time being, get out of here! I need to finish my preparations! 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} It is almost night time anyway… you should all go to sleep. 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} You’ll need to be rested… for what awaits you!

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

He finished his sentence and rushed us back up the stairs. 

 

{Auto-move to Blue Building - 1st floor} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Alright, off to bed everyone! Kurozo’s got a point… we should all get enough sleep tonight. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} This is exciting stuff! We might be getting out of here tomorrow! 

 

Reijiro: I never expected a motive… to be good to us. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You’re all way too pumped about this… it will obviously go wrong… some way… 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} This… cannot end well. {Leaves} 

 

… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} R-Right! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I’ll… I’ll see you all in the morning!

 

Jessie: {Excited}  Bonne nuit tout le monde!

 

 

After seeing everyone off, I made my way back to my room. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

Jules Vernes staircase huh… an obvious reference to 20,000 leagues under the sea. A novel about an underwater expedition by that French author… 

 

I guess we’re all going on our very own little expedition… except we’re going to have to fight for our freedom.

 

Raiko told us to keep our guard up… but I don’t know… maybe this could actually be a good thing. 

 

I still don’t know what game Kurozo’s playing… it seems like he just showed us a weak hand… but I’m sure he still has an ace down his sleeve. 

 

Anyway, if we’re given a chance to escape then we definitely won’t turn it down which means that we’re going to have to give it our all tomorrow!

 

… 

 

You know what… I think I’ve got a good feeling about this!

 

… 

 

 

 

Excited by the promise of freedom, it took me some time before I finally fell asleep. 

 

Kurozo Theater

 

Kurozo: To be, or not to be, that is the question: 

 

Kurozo: Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to suffer

 

Kurozo: The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, 

 

Kurozo: Or to take arms against a sea of troubles. 

 

Kurozo: And by opposing end them. To die - to sleep, 

 

Kurozo: No more; and by a sleep to say we end

 

Kurozo: The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks. 



 

Kurozo: What? You asked for theater, I gave you theater! 

 

Kurozo: This is theater! Not that stupid bear’s pathetic excuse for a one man show… 

 

Kurozo: Stop what you’re doing… and pick up a book will you? 





Notes:

And so a new motive has been revealed... and it seems very different from what we've seen previously. What could this mean for our students... and what exactly is Kurozo planning? Comment your thoughts and theories below!

If you want to vote on who Hayato hangs out with next time around, click here: https://www.strawpoll.me/19393335

That's it from me, next update comes out as soon as possible so stay tuned

Thanks for reading and see you in the next one!

Chapter 43: Chapter 4 : 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea : Daily life part 3

Notes:

And we're back on schedule for another chapter and an exploration of the new motive!

FTE's go to Jessie and Oriana this time around.

Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{TV screen lights up, Monokuma’s usual jacuzzi has been replaced with a leather armchair which Kurozo is sitting on} 

 

Kurozo: Good morning students, I hope that all is well. The time is 8:00 AM which means that night time is officially over.

 

Kurozo: Here’s my friendly reminder that your first dive aboard the submarine will take place tonight!

 

Kurozo: I wish you all a productive day in the resort!

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdSYNKNagU )

 

The first dive…

 

I’m still not sure where my head’s at regarding this new motive… I can’t see how it can go wrong but at the same time, there’s no way it’s as simple as we believe it to be right?

 

This is going to backfire… somehow… it always does…

 

 

Ach!!! I can’t be thinking like that… being pessimistic is no use… I have to keep my chin up here, no matter how hard it is.

 

This dive… will go just fine.

 

 

I should go to the restaurant to meet the others.

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Talk to Jessie}

 

Jessie: {Excited} Heya Hayato-kun!!! Did ya sleep well!?

 

Somebody’s full of energy early in the day.

 

Hayato: Yeah, I slept alright, how about you?

 

Jessie: {Starry eyed} I’m pumped! This submarine thing’s got me motivated! Никад не бих помислио да би мотив могао бити добар!

 

A full sentence in a foreign language…!? She’s excited alright…

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} C’mon Hayato-kun, where’s your enthusiasm! We could be getting out of here tonight!

 

Jessie: {Excited} Isn’t that Tal-għaġeb!?

 

Hayato: R-Right… I’m sure it is…

 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} You really have to take the fun out of everything don’t ya?

 

Hayato: A-Ah! Sorry… I guess I’m not really a morning person.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Then again you’re not really a midday person nor an afternoon person… and you’re definitely not an evening person are you!?

 

Hayato: Hey!?

 

She’s got a point… I should try to let loose a little shouldn’t I…?

 

{Talk to Reijiro}

 

Hayato: Good morning Reijiro, you’re heading to the restaurant right?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… a fine observation from our resident detective I see.

 

… It’s 8 AM, why am I already getting bullied?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} In all seriousness, I do believe that it is crucial for everybody to attend today’s meeting…


Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} After last night’s announcement, we surely have matters to attend to.

 

Hayato: Are you… worried about the motive?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Mmph… I would not say worried… moreso intrigued.

 

Hayato: Intrigued… is that a good or a bad thing?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} …

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I suppose that only time will tell… {Leaves}

 

I don’t think I’ll ever get a straight answer out of this guy…

 

Then again, he may have a point… we’ll have to wait and see what happens.

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor}

 

{Move to Restaurant}

 

{Scene opens on the restaurant, everyone but Raiko and Shinto is present} 

 

Fusume: {Content} Ah, Hayato here you are…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Assuming that Shinto and Raiko won’t be attending… I believe we can get this meeting started.

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} G-G-Good morning man!!! I made some pancakes! You w-want one!

 

Hayato: H-Hey, Kôzuke… sure I’ll have a pancake!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} G-Good… take it… I s-spent all morning trying to g-get the recipe right!

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} I think that I f-finally got the proportions right!

 

Hayato: All morning!? But it’s only 8 AM.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks away} I woke up at 5 AM man… I need an early start if I’m going to find a way to be helpful for the d-day!  

 

Hayato: Kôzuke… that can’t be healthy…

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} You d-don’t want my pancakes!!!?

 

Hayato: That’s not what I said…

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} Then just take the damn pancake already!!!

 

Hikari: {Sad} He’s been like with every single one of us… we can only let him be for now.

 

Hayato: Okay… I just wish there was a way for us to show him that he doesn’t need to do all this.

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Once the idea has been implanted in his brain… it’s going to be hard to get it out of there.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} But we’ll find a way to help him… I’m sure of it!

 

Kenji: {Furious} I don’t want your fucking pancakes dammit!

 

Oh no.

 

 

{Kenji can be seen squaring up with Kôzuke who cowers in terror. Kôzuke’s pancake platter is on the floor, its content spilled}

 

Kôzuke: A-Ah!!!

 

Kenji: You gotta fucking stop insisting bro!

 

Kôzuke: Wh-Why… why would you do that?

 

{Back to normal}

 

Kôzuke: {Tearing up} I… I…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} No means no… seriously…

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Kenji-kun!!!

 

Oriana: {Crying} K-Kôzuke’s hard work… it’s… it’s…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} How did this happen!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Kenji! This isn’t at all what we talked about yesterday!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I’m sorry okay!? I didn’t mean to…

 

Kenji: {Furious} I barely touched him he just dropped it no joke!

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} …

 

Jessie: {Sad} Kôzuke-kun… are you alright?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Don’t worry about it okay? I’ll help you make some more pancakes, how does that sound?

 

Kôzuke: … K-Kenji…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What do you want…?

 

Kôzuke: {Tearing up} I… I…

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I hate you!!! {Leaves} 

 

He ran off.

 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Kenji-kun… don’t you think we could have avoided this?

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} H-Hey! I may have slightly overreacted… but so did he! That was no reason to cry seriously!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Are you really in a position to pass the blame here…?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} What the fuck do you want me to do now?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Oh I don’t know… apologize maybe?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Apologize for what!? What did I do!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} Can’t you see… that he’s more sensitive than usual?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Whatever…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No, not whatever! You’ll go and apologize right now!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Yeah or what!? What are you gonna do huh?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Come on! Threaten me!!! I fucking dare you!

 

Fusume: {Angry, fighting stance} Don’t test me!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Enough!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Huh?

 

Reijiro: Calm down! Both of you!

 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Fusume this mad… it’s good thing that Reijiro intervened… I don’t even want to know what could have happened if he hadn’t.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} This… this is unacceptable.

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} …

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Six of us have died… we are better than this.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We cannot bear to fight… not after everything that has happened to us.

 

Reijiro: {Pinches bridge of his nose} Please… let us have this meeting in peace.

 

 

Fusume: {Bows} You’re right… I lost my cool… it won’t happen again.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} …

 

We all turned to Kenji, expecting an apology from him too but instead…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Y’know what… I’m not gonna stand her and let the lot of you lecture me…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} This is how I am! Like it or not… what the fuck do I care!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} This is not the takeaway from this conversation!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Fuck you Reijiro… fuck all of you! {Leaves} 

 

And with that, he too was gone, leaving the six of us in awe at how awful this day had begun.  

 

 

Reijiro: {Pinches bridge of his nose} … Hnngh…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} This… this is my fault.

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I shouldn’t have started arguing…

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} No… this isn’t on you, you apologise…


Hikari: {Cold stare} He’s just getting more and more conflictual with everybody… and frankly, it needs to stop

 

Jessie: {Sad} Why can’t we ever meet as a group without this sort of thing happening anymore…?

 

Jessie: {Strokes chin} Ez al daiteke benetan ezer egin?

 

Oriana: {Cries} I d-don’t want… to see m-my friends arguing…

 

This is bad… once again Kenji and Kôzuke are gone… all the work that Fusume and Hikari put towards improving morale is going to get ruined by this mess…

 

I need to change the subject… quickly!

 

Hayato: So uh… we’re going to try out that submarine tonight I guess…

 

Hayato: Pretty cool right?

 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… was that an attempt at diffusing the situation?

 

Hayato: Uh… no… I mean, yes?

 

Reijiro: {Chuckles} I appreciate the effort… in all fairness, you bring up an interesting point which I wanted to bring up today.

 

Reijiro: {Pinches bridge of his nose} It obviously would have been better if everybody had been present… but we shall work with what we have.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Wh-What...did you want to talk about exactly?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Tonight’s motive… the submarine…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We might have judged it too quickly.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} T-Too quickly…? Wh-What do you mean?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} It is obviously too soon to tell just what this submarine dive will entail… but I propose that we proceed with caution.

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} That’s obvious… submarines are dangerous things…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Hundreds of people have died in submarine-related accidents in the past decade alone!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} R-Really!?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaah! I’m n-not s-setting f-foot in that d-death machine then!!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Only five of us may board the ship tonight… we won’t force anyone who doesn’t want to participate.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} No matter the danger… I’d still like to participate!

 

Jessie: {Starry eyed} I love the ocean… even if we don’t get out I’m sure it’ll be a great sight-seeing trip!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} I’m not too sure you’re catching the point here Jessie.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} It seems evident that it won’t be easy to escape… that would be quite foolish on Kurozo’s part.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} But if the possibility of us escaping without any more bloodshed exists… then we must try our hardest.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It would be easier to get through this if the group was cohesive… but this will have to do.

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} I’m sure the other four will come to their senses Fusume-chan… everything will go just fine!

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hand} I wish I could be this confident about our future…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I suppose we can only hope that everything goes to plan…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Come on guys! Tonight might be our last night in this damned resort! Let’s cheer up a little!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Or at least… let’s put on a brave face for the other four…

 

Hikari: {Smile} It’s the least we can do…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} …

 

Fusume: {Confident} Y-You’re right! I can’t let myself be overwhelmed… not now.

 

Fusume: {Plays with shuriken} Ahem… let us forget this morning’s incidents… the rest of the day can only get better!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And tonight… we’ll get the hell out of here!

 

Jessie: {Excited} That’s right Fusume-chan! I love the enthusiasm!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Heh, this is the only way forward… we have to stay on top of our emotions…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Positivity is the way to go!

 

These two… I don’t know how they manage to keep a smile on even in times like now but they’re a real game changer…

 

I’m not exactly sure if we’d make it through the despair without their presence…

 

I wish I could have such an impact… but I guess I’m not there yet…

 

 

Ach! I can’t think selfishly like that… as long as everybody’s alright then it’s all good-

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-Wait a second e-everyone!

 

Oh boy I spoke to soon… or in this case thought too soon.

 

How do they keep interrupting my thoughts seriously!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} What’s the matter Oriana-chan?

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} H-Hikari said it h-herself! This submarine is uh… t-t-too dangerous!

 

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaaaah! What i-if there was an accident!? All f-five people on board w-would die!

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Hey… what did we say about positivity Oriana-chan?

 

Hayato: Optimistic or not, she’s got a point…

 

Hayato: This motive might be our only chance to get out which means that we don’t really have a choice other than to go for it… but there’s no way that there’s no danger whatsoever…

 

Hayato: This is a motive after all!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} What about the safety precautions that Kurozo put into place…? Isn’t that enough for you Oriana?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Th-This is still t-too big of a risk! We c-could lose h-half of our members!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I’m s-sorry… if I’m n-not being optimistic… b-but is the risk really worth it?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… let us be honest, Kurozo cannot afford us to be in danger.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} After reflection… this submarine has to be safe… there is no other alternative.

 

Huh!?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth  What… what are you talking about!?

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} How c-can there not be d-danger!?

 

Reijiro: {Checks Pocket watch} Think of it this way… you mentioned the possibility of all five of the ships occupants to die in an accident…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} But would such an event not be catastrophic for the mastermind?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Catastrophic… how so?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} This killing game… the whole point of it is for us to commit murder and die one by one…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} If half of us were to die in a submarine accident, that would be extremely underwhelming for whoever’s behind this whole game!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Y-You’re right!

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} So you think that because our lives are so important to our captor…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} They can’t actually afford to put five of us in danger like this?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… that is the way I see it yes.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Of course, my calculations might be wrong… but I cannot imagine the mastermind to make such a foolish mistake…

 

Reijiro: Our captors have shown themselves to be cunning and very much in control… which means that I simply cannot believe that they would expose us to such a situation.

 

Oriana: {Shocked} W-Wow…

 

Reijiro: {Bows} I rest my case.

 

Fusume: {Confident} When you look at it that way… then it does seem unlikely for the submarine dive to be particularly dangerous…

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Then… can we just look forward to tonight without any apprehension?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} No… after all, this is just a theory.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} We cannot be certain that tonight will be safe… but the risk simply cannot compare to the possible reward.

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} If the chance of us escaping exists… then we must chase it! Whatever the cost!

 

Jessie: {Excited} Alright! Quod faciamus!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} I… I’ll h-have faith in you R-Reijiro!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Let’s all hope… that’s the best we can do!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… let us use this newfound energy productively!

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} I propose we all spend the day getting to know the blue building… we need to be as prepared as possible for tonight!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} We’ll do our best for the group! Right Oriana-chan?

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} Y-Yes… I’ll t-try!

 

Reijiro: {Genuine smile} Then let us go!

 

Excited by their newfound hope, the four of them left the restaurant leaving Fusume and I alone.

 

 

Fusume: {Confident} …

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Hnngh…

 

That expression… I know it too well.

 

Hayato: Fusume… what’s wrong?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hand} I just can’t be as confident as Reijiro… I want to say that everything’ll be fine… but how can I guarantee it?

 

Fusume: He makes it seem so easy… I just can’t do it.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} The group’s completely shattered and there’s nothing I can do about it.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And even with the few members who have stuck with us… I can’t seem to find the strength to tell them that everything will be okay.

 

Fusume: And that’s… {Hurt} that’s because I’m truly terrified of what might happen tonight!

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} If only… I was a better leader…

 

Hayato: Fusume…

 

I can’t leave her like that… there must be something I could say.

 

Hayato: Please, Fusume… remember what you told me a few nights ago.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: If only… I could help you through this all… help all of us. If only I was stronger.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} …

 

Fusume: {Meditating} “If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world”.

 

Fusume: That was my mentor’s favorite quote.

 

Hayato: Your mentor…?

 

That’s the first time I hear about them.

 

Hayato: Isn’t that… quite a sad quote though?

 

Fusume: {Confident} No… the way I see it, this quote is full of hope. Thinking like you’re thinking and looking back with regrets is building an emotional rampart that will stop you from going forward.

 

Fusume: {Softly} Don’t say if only… be proud of the things you’ve done… they’re the choices which brought you this far.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: Back when I was having self-doubt… you told me about your mentor’s favorite quote…

 

Fusume: {Shocked} S-Sensei…

 

Hayato: I think that in times like now you must try to live by these words… don’t let your doubts take the better of you!

 

Hayato: Be proud of how great a leader you’ve been and try to realise that you’re not alone here…

 

Hayato: The rest will come naturally, I promise.

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} …

 

Fusume: {Meditating} You’re… you’re right!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Ahem… it seems that I’m going through an emotional rollercoaster of sorts…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It’s not easy… but I need to get a hold of myself… and I shall try my best to do so and relax before tonight.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Not that I’ve ever truly been relaxed before…

 

Can’t say I’m surprised to hear that.

 

Fusume: {Content} Either way… thank you Hayato for making me snap out of it… I think I needed that.

 

Hayato: Of course… don’t worry about it.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I… I sh-should go and see what the others are up to… perhaps catch up with those who left early.

 

Fusume: {Bows} Farewell Hayato… {Leaves} 

 

 

I can see how hard she’s trying to stay on top of everything but she’s simply putting too much pressure on herself.

 

We all know how much of a perfectionist she is… and she simply won’t be able to handle everything if she continues to insist on taking it alone…

 

The group’s tensions… and the motive… this is going to be hard for Fusume.

 

I need to be there for her as long as she needs it… that’s the least I can do.

 

 

Left alone without much of an appetite, I went back to my room.

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room}

 

 

 

 

Reiijro’s argument… the logic seems to stand but I still just can’t quite accept it fully.

 

The mastermind can’t be putting five of us in grave danger… that much seems obvious.

 

But then how exactly can they guarantee our safety aboard a submarine… especially considering that we have zero experience with such a ship…

 

There’s something that doesn’t make sense here…

 

 

Ach! This whole motive is messing with my head… I suppose that’s what Kurozo was aiming for…

 

I should probably find something to do before I go crazy!

 

Let’s see how’s down to hang out for a bit.

 

{Free time starts}

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 2nd Floor}

 

{Move to Station C} 

 

{Jessie is here} 

 

{Talk to Jessie} 

 

Jessie: {Bites nail with thoughtful expression} Hm… these stuffed animals are kinda freaky don’t you think?

 

Jessie: {Excited} Hey Hayato-kun! Wanna help me investigate this place!

 

Jessie: {Nervous} I’d uh… probably prefer having someone around… other than the animals I mean.

 

Do I want to spend time with Jessie?

 

{Yes/No}

 

Jessie: {Excited}  Génial!!! I knew I could count on you Hayato-kun!

 

 

I spent the morning in Station C with Jessie. We made sure to examine everything that could seem important… but in the end it seems that there isn’t much that could be useful to us.

 

Jessie’s right… this room’s definitely got something creepy to it. I feel like one of these animals could just jump out at any second.

 

Once we mutually agreed that we were basically wasting our time investigating the room, we decided to go to the restaurant for a coffee.

 

I think Jessie and I got a bit closer.

 

Jessie: {Excited} Alright! Hayato-kun, are you ready for your lesson!?

 

Hayato: My… lesson? Jessie what are you talking about?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Aw c’mon… you promised me!

 

{Flashback} 

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up}  Ich mag es wirklich … in fact you know what?

 

Hayato: Tell me.

 

Jessie: {Enthusiastically} Next time you and I hang out, I’ll teach you some French!

 

Really…? I mean I don’t want to say no but…

 

Jessie: {Pouting} You’re not allowed to decline! Promise me you’ll do it!

 

Hayato: Well…

 

Jessie: Promise me!!!

 

Hayato: Ok, fine… you can give me a French lesson next time around.

 

Jessie: {Happy} Yay! Can’t wait!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Jessie: {Pouting} You told me that you’d let me teach you French Hayato-kun!

 

Jessie: Une promesse c’est une promesse non?

 

Hayato: Oh… right, I did say that didn’t I?

 

Jessie: {Sad} You wouldn’t go back on your promise would you?

 

Hayato: N-No! Of course not.

 

Jessie: {Hands on hips, smile} I didn’t think so! Alright take a seat, le cour va commencer!

 

Hayato: But… I’m already seated!

 

Jessie: {Serious} Quiet. Students won’t speak until they are asked to.

 

Hayato: Oh… okay.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Silence in the classroom!

 

She’s really taking this seriously…

 

Jessie: {Excited} Welcome one and all… heh quite literally in our case…

 

Jessie: Ahem, welcome to French 101, an introductory class to one of the most beautiful languages in Europe!

 

She looked at me quite intensely… I wasn’t too sure what she wanted me to do so I ended up clapping politely after that introduction.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Hayato-kun… have you ever been in a classroom?

 

Hayato: Uh… don’t mind me, please continue.

 

Jessie: {Serious} Very well… the first thing you need to know is that verbs in French are classified in three different groups.

 

{As Jessie starts speaking, the text accelerates to a point where it’s almost impossible to read what she says}

 

Jessie: Group 1 are verbs that finish in -er, group 2 finish in -ir and group 3 is a mishmash of the rest.

 

Jessie: Actually scracth that, some group 3 verbs also finish in -ir, the real difference between group 2 and 3 is the way you conjugate them.

 

Jessie: You can tell that by looking at the present participle of the verbs. Group 2 verbs finish in -issant while the other ones belong in group 3.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} That much’s clear to you already isn’t it!?

 

Hayato: W-Well uh…

 

Jessie: {Excited} Great! Moving on to adjectives!

 

Hayato: Wait… I swear there’s more to say about verbs… also, could you possibly speak a bit slower, I’m having trouble-

 

Jessie: ADJECTIVES! You always match an adjective to its corresponding noun, for both gender and plurality.

 

Hayato: Wh-What?

 

Jessie: For exemple, you would say “ de belles femmes ”, the adjective being both feminin and pluriel

Jessie: Never forget that! You always have to match the adjective with the noun!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} That clear?

 

Hayato: I… I g-guess-

 

Jessie: {Serious} Then, answer me this: when do you match the adjective?

 

Hayato: Uh… always?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} WRONG! You forgot to take exceptions into account!!!

 

Hayato: But you just said…

 

Jessie: Silence!!!

 

What is going on with my head!?

 

Jessie: Adjectives are usually matched with their noun… except when the adjective is derivated from a noun itself.

 

Hayato: Uh… Jessie.

 

Jessie: For example you would say “ des chaussures marron” and not “ des chaussures marrones” because marron is a noun! It means chestnut!

 

Hayato: O-Okay… now, please slow down-

 

Jessie: BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE because guess what!!!?

 

Hayato: Wh-

 

Jessie: THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS IN THE EXCEPTIONS!!! ISN’T THAT AWESOME!!?

 

Hayato: Jessie-

 

Jessie: ROSE AS AN ADJECTIVE IS DERIVATED FROM A NOUN AND YET YOU STILL MATCH IT WITH ITS NOUN!!!

 

Hayato: JESSIE!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Huh?

 

Hayato: You’re going too fast! I can’t learn anything if you’re just skipping over stuff and going at your rhythm…

 

Hayato: I’m not as good as you are with languages

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} E-Eeep! S-Sorry Hayato-kun… I think I might have gotten a little bit carried away here.

 

Hayato: Yeah, a bit…

 

Jessie: {Sad} It’s just… I’m so passionate about French and languages in general I just want you to understand it fast so we can talk about it after!

 

Jessie: I’ve travelled so much… that I never really had the occasion to talk to like this… people never end up speaking the languages I enjoy…

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} The quicker you learn… the quicker I can finally tell someone about everything that’s on my mind.

 

Huh… so that’s why… it definitely makes sense.

 

Hayato: I can understand that Jessie… but you need to realise that teaching me while speaking fast won’t make me learn quicker.

 

Hayato: I want to be there for you if there’s stuff on your mind… but this isn’t the optimal way to do it.

 

Jessie: {Sad} …

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Y-You’re right! There’s gotta be a better way for me to teach you!

 

Jessie. {Sad} I just got a bit carried away with my excitement… and I forgot the bases of pedagogy…

 

Jessie: {Pouting} It’s hard to make up a class on the spot y’know!

 

Hayato: Well… why don’t we do this… you can take your time to properly prepare your class and then I’ll listen and do my best to learn as fast as possible.

 

Jessie: {Tearing up} You… you’d do that for me?

 

Hayato: Of course! I wouldn’t hesitate for an instant if it could help you!

 

Jessie: That’s… that’s…

 

Jessie: {Excited} Alright! I’m going to spend all my free time on this next lesson! It’s going to be amazing!

 

Hayato: I’m sure it will.

 

Jessie: {Smiles, with thumbs up} Th-Thank you so much Hayato… it means a lot to me!

 

Jessie: {Starry eyed} Je vois la vie en rose désormais…

 

 

We spent a little bit more time chatting in the restaurant before we went our own ways.

 

The more time I spend with Jessie the more I seem to understand what it is that motivates her… she spent so much time alone growing up that she really needs someone to understand her interests.

 

I’ll try my best to be that person for her!

 

I understand Jessie a lot better now.

 

{Jessie’s report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

After I was done talking to Jessie, I decided to make my way back to my room.

 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room}

 

 

 

 

It’s almost noon, I should probably get ready to head out for lunch.

 

I just need to put my coat back on and then-

 

*Knock Knock*

 

Huh…? That was the door. I should probably check who that was.

 

 

I opened the door and to my great surprise, I saw…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Good morning.

 

Hayato: R-Raiko? What are you doing here?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} We need to talk.

 

Hayato: We… we do? About what?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Just follow me… I’ll explain everything once we get there.

 

She wants me to follow her?

 

Hayato: H-Hey… how do I know this isn’t some sort of trap?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Hayato… seriously?

 

Hayato: You can never be too careful… and sorry but you of all people can’t be offended that I’d have doubts!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I’m being serious here… I might have stumbled on something important… I think you’d probably like to see it.

 

Hayato: You still haven’t answered my question!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} I can’t prove to you that I’m being genuine got it!? You’re just going to have to trust me…

 

Trust… Raiko?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Please Hayato… have a little faith in me here.

 

Hayato: I uh…

 

Can I really have faith in her…?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} But then… if Monokuma didn’t write that letter then… who the fuck did?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Who do you think?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} R-Raiko…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No way… would you ever stoop so low…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} I told you I made sure a murder would happen…  I just didn’t tell you how I’d do it hehehehe…

 

Raiko: {Hysterical} Kyehehehehehehehehe!

 

Raiko: I knew that kidnapping Oriana wouldn’t be enough… I had to create pressure… and so I did just that! Turns out it worked out okay for me!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

{Flashback}

 

Raiko: {Upset} At the end of the day… I’m just like all of you… so stop… fucking… treating me like a monster!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

After everything she’s done to mess with us… how can I trust her?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} …

 

She got four of our friends killed… Kyia, Fukami, Rina and Yoshi… they could possibly still be alived if she hadn’t interfered… that’s the truth.

 

From the very begininng she’s been so hellbent on winning the killing game that she accepted the rest of us… like pawns in a chess game.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Are you coming or not?

 

The thing is that in recent times… it almost seemed like she had changed…

 

{Flashback}

 

Hayato: Ahem, Raiko… do you mind answering a couple of questions I have for you?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Hm… sure, why not.

 

She just agreed to help? That’s hellaaaaa suspicious… this IS Raiko I’m talking to right?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Don’t make that face… I’m genuinely trying to be useful… for once.

 

Hayato: And can I ask… why that is? It doesn’t really seem like the sort of thing you’d usually do.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Sure… but usually things are different…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Usually, I know who the killer is before the trial even begins…

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Because of her restrainment, her circumstances were different last time around… she was almost forced to help us.

 

But the truth is that she was genuinely helpful… no trickery nor malice…

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} …

 

That look on her face… it seems so genuine… could it be she’s actually found something…?

 

This is such a useless risk but… I think I’m starting to feel inclined to hear her out.

 

 

Dammit, I’m going to regret this aren’t I?

 

Hayato: Okay Raiko… I’ll come with you… but you better not be pulling my leg here.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I suppose you’ll have to see that for yourself.

 

Not reassuring Raiko… not reassuring at all.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Let’s go then…

 

Hayato: Can I ask where we’re going?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Shut up. Just follow me.

 

Okay boss.

 

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

Raiko and I walked in silence towards the blue building… as I suspected, whatever it is that she found, it’s probably got to do with this new building and the motive.

 

{Auto-move to Blue Building - 2nd Floor }

 

Raiko: We’re almost there… thanks for being patient.

 

Hayato: This “thing” you found… is it in one of the stations?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Station A, yes… turns out some of these books seem to be hiding something

 

The books…? Thinking about it, that does seem consistent with Monokuma’s MO, the yellow building’s archives had tons of information about us… Station A’s books might be no different.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Let’s go… hopefully nobody’s going to disturb us there… I’m not sure I want anybody else to hear about this just yet.

 

Hayato: We’ll see…

 

Reijiro did tell the others to investigate the building… it’s not unlikely that someone might already be in there…

 

Hayato: Wait… if you’re looking to keep this on the down low… then why are you telling me of all people?

 

Hayato: If I remember correctly, last time we talked you said you never wanted to see me again…

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Hngh… I would rather not tell anyone… but if something happens to me then it might be vital for somebody else to be aware of my discoveries…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I assumed you were the most trustworthy person around… don’t make me regret that decision!

 

Hayato: If something were to happen to you… why would you think something like that!?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} C’mon… don’t tell me you’re naive enough not to realize that I’m the most likely target here!

 

The most likely… target?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} If anybody’s planning a murder… they’ll definitely go after me… nobody would realy oppose it and I’m isolated enough to make it doable…

 

Raiko: {Giggles} If the next murderer has any brains, I’ll be their target.

 

How can she say that… so nonchalently?

 

Hayato: But Raiko… didn’t you tell us that you were going to win the killing game? So why are you now convinced that this might happen?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I’m still going for the win… and I won’t let myself be killed easily… all I’m saying is that the possibility of me dying exists… which is why I’m going to show you what I found!

 

I knew she didn’t value our lives… but it sounds like she doesn’t even care about her own life either…

 

But then, if everything she’s done until now was to make sure she’d survive… then why would she care about the rest of us having access to this information after she dies…?

 

Could it be that… she actually gives a shit about us?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I’m waiting!

 

Hayato: O-Okay, here I am!

 

Silently, we made our way to Station A…

 

{Auto-move to Station A}

 

*CREAK*

 

What the-

 

Hayato: Was that… the door?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Yeah… about that.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Kurozo told me that he tried putting oil on the door hinges as a “routine checkup” and it made the creaking worse than before…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} We’ll just have to deal with it for now.

 

One thing’s for sure… turns out Kurozo’s just as incompetant as Monokuma for this sort of thing.

 

Raiko: Okay, come here, this is what I wanted to show you-

 

???: You guys… what the hell are you doing here!?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Ngh!

 

That voice…

 

Kenji: {Furious} Hayato… what the fuck are you doing with that bitch!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Pleased to see you too Kenji.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Cut the formalities… I want answers now!

 

Hayato: K-Kenji, listen…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} What we’re doing is none of your business Kenji… Hayato and I have some stuff to talk about… privately!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Hayato! Are you fucking betraying the group here!!!?

 

Hayato: N-No! Of course not!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Then wha tthe hell could you two have to talk about?

 

Raiko: As I said! It’s none of your damn business!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Why don’t you get out of my face Kenji! I’m sure you have other people to go and fuck with!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I’m not fucking with anyone… I just want to know what the hell is going on here!

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} Please…

 

He… he actually looks almost desperate. Isolation hasn’t been good to him either I can imagine. It looks like his aggressivity has died down for now…

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} You’re not getting anything Kenji… piss off already!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} N-No! C’mon!

 

I… I feel so guilty leaving him in the dark…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Come on Hayato, let us get to it.

 

Hayato: I’m sorry Raiko, I just have to do it…

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Do what…? Hayato!!!

 

I slowly approached Kenji.

 

Hayato: Kenji… Raiko’s about to tell me about something she found here that could be useful to the group.

 

Raiko: {Closes umbrella on head} Hngh!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Something… useful?

 

Hayato: We want to keep it private for the moment… but if you promise not to tell anyone then maybe she could share it with you too!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Hayato! What the hell do you think you’re doing!!?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Y-Yes… I promise! Get me in on the secret!

 

Hayato: If we have your word then there’s no reason for you not to have access to this information as well!

 

Kenji: Of course you have my word… who could I be telling anyway… nobody listens to me anymore.

 

Raiko came closer to me and spoke softly enough to ensure only I would hear her.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You didn’t think about asking me first before proposing it to him!

 

Hayato: I’m sorry… I couldn’t help it.

 

Raiko: You’re such an idiot…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Alright! What’s this all about then?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} It’s safe to assume you won’t leave us alone unless you’re included right?

 

Kenji: {Scratching head with playful smile} You know me so well!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I mean uh… for the record, I still hate you Raiko!

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Glad you got that off your chest.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Now let’s just get this over with.

 

Somehow, I get the feeling that this last glare was directed towards me… I can’t blame her but there was no way I wasn’t including Kenji after what I’d just seen,

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I hope you boys aren’t expecting some extraordinary secret or whatnot… this could likely be just a coincidence.

 

Raiko: {Grimace} And yet… experience tells me that there is no such thing in this resort.

 

Hayato: I can second that… it seems that everything happens for a reason here.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} There are six main bookshelves in this Station… each pertaining to a different subject.

 

Kenji: {Scratching head with playful smile} That’s right! I’ve been very interested in the “forests of the world” section!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Did I ask!?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Y-You… you…

 

Hayato: Guys!!! Let’s not start another argument come on!

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} Sorry…

 

Raiko: As I was saying… each bookshelf has hundreds of books ordered alphabetically by their author’s name.

 

For the moment, that’s all normal.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Upon closer investigation I ended up noticing something… something that seems very odd to me.

 

Hayato: What is it!?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} There’s exactly one book in each shelf with the initials “HP” … I’m sure you see where I’m going with this.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} No?

 

Hayato: HP… like Hope’s Peak!

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Precisely… one book per subject with an author who shares initials with the academy…

 

She handed the six books to me for closer inspection.

 

Hayato: Horace Porter… Henri Pelletier… Hakira Peko… yeah these names all seem to fit that trend.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Now, that by itself isn’t much of a discovery I know… it seems so minute that it could genuinely be nothing but a fluke…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} But after carefuly looking through those books… it’s become evident that something else is afoot.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} What… what do you mean?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I’ve labeled each book with a letter to make them easier to differentiate…

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Why don’t you see for yourself what I discovered… please, open the books at the following pages

 

Raiko: A-64, B-312, C-199, D-9, E-661, F-44.

 

Wow, did she really know those page numbers off the top?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Can you uh… repeat that for me?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} *Sigh* … You never fail to impress me Kenji…

 

 

The three of us worked together to find the correct page in every single book… and once we did that, we finally had eyes on Raiko’s discovery…

 

{Closeup on a table where all six open books can be seen next to each other. One word from each book seems to have been highlighted in yellow}

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Wh-What… what is this!?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Ta-da! The big revelation… some words highlighted in a book!

 

Kenji: Is that it?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Oh yeah, that’s it… I checked each “HP” book thoroughly and they all have exactly one highlighted word… that just can’t be a coincidence.

 

As I started deciphering the words in question, something felt off… my whole body felt weird… as if my gut was telling me that something bad was about to happen.

 

Hayato: One highlighted word… in every single book which shares initials with Hope’s Peak…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} ”Fire”, “one”, “the”, “of”, “you”, “treacherous”… that doesn’t mean anything.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} When you say it like that it doesn’t… but if you put them back in the correct order, then you get…

 

Hayato: “The treacherous fire, one of you”.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Correct… what an ominous phrase wouldn’t you say?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} A treacherous fire…? What the hell does that mean?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I have no idea, but if someone took the time and effort to highlight those books, it must be for a reason!

 

Wait!

 

{Flashback} 

 

{Hayato is seen standing in a dark room, fire surrounds him}

 

This place is burning! How did I get here? Where am I?

 

 

I need to get out… I need to get out!

 

??? #5 : There is no way out… you will die here.

 

Is that… the traitor?

 

{The flames creep closer and closer to Hayato}

 

I can’t die in here… I need to make it… I need to make it.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

That dream I had… could it be linked to this…? But how!? It was just a dream… right?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You okay bro? You look like you’ve just seen a ghost… a hung ghost probably!

 

Why does it have to be hung? What does the ghost’s dick have to do with anything?

 

Hayato: I’m fine… Raiko, do you think this could have something to do with the traitor?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Mmh… yes, it certainly does… the word “treacherous” definitely seems to indicate that.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} So… the traitor, one of us… set fire to something? I don’t remember anything like that!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} That seems plausible… something of the sort must have happened during the year that has been stolen from us…

 

That dream… could it be… some sort of repressed memory?

 

What… what the hell does this mean!? Why was there a fire? And how does that even relate to us?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} That’s all I know for now… and thus my explanations end here… we can all go back to our own occupations now.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} …

 

Kenji: Thank you for telling me this!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Hey, don’t thank me, I had no intention to tell you in the first place, thank Hayato!

 

You really need to learn how to handle compliments better…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I’ll… I’ll figure this thing out!

 

Hayato: Kenji?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} This message… it’s got to mean something right?

 

Kenji: I basically spend my entire time in this room anyway… so it’s decided!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I’m going to work my fucking ass off on this! There must be something else to work with in some of these others books! I’ll figure out what this shit is all about even if it’s the last thing I do!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} …

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Cool. Tell me if you find anything {Leaves} 

 

Enthusiastic as always…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I know I’m not the sharpest knive in the drawer… but I’ll crack this case! I swear!

 

Hayato: O-Okay… I’m glad to see you motivated Kenji!

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} I’ll keep you posted if I find anything… which I fucking will!

 

Hayato: Great! I’ll leave you to it then…

 

Kenji: {Stants up straight, serious expression} Thanks for including me dog… no joke.

 

Hayato: Of course!

 

{Screen fades to black}

 

Maybe it wasn’t such a bad idea in the end… at least I’m pleased that I might have helped get Kenji closer to his normal self by including him in the conversation… we just need to hope he doesn’t start running his mouth now.

 

 

The treacherous fire, one of you…

 

That dream…

 

It seems impossible not to link the two… but what does it mean!?

 

Were we really involved in a fire…? And could that fire be linked to why we’re here?

 

It seems like such a stretch… but my gut tells me there’s something crucial here.

 

There’s got to be!

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room}

 

I know that if I stay here by myself this whole book business is going to drive me nuts…

There are way too many questions… and I’m not nearly close to answering any of them.

 

I should see if anybody’s around… I’m sure I’m not the only one who needs a break.

 

{Free time starts} 

 

{Exit Black Building}

 

{Move to Blue Building - 1st Floor}

 

{Move to Marine Biology Lab}

 

{Scene opens on the lab, Oriana is here} 

 

{Talk to Oriana} 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} H-Hey! Hayato… I’ve b-been trying to g-get this m-mysterious d-door open but it w-won’t budge!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} I gu-guess it’s locked for now a-and I shouldn’t w-waste my time on i-it…

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} In the m-meantime, do you w-want to take a l-look at the fishes w-with me! Th-They’re s-so cute!

 

Do I want to spend time with Oriana?

 

{Yes/No}

 

Oriana: {Happy} Great! M-Maybe, we’ll even uh… f-find something h-handy!

 

 

I spent the afternoon investigating the marine biology lab with Oriana. Just like every other room in this building, it was all pretty regular stuff.

 

Still, the fact that Oriana was here made it feel like I hadn’t completely wasted my time.

 

I think we got a bit closer.

 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} H-Hey, Hayato… is there a-anything y-you want to a-ask me?

 

Oriana: Y-You’re l-looking… uh… quite i-inquisitive…

 

Hayato: Well, if you don’t mind… I was interested in continuing the conversation we started last time we spoke.

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} Uh… a c-conversation… that w-we had?

 

Hayato: You know… about your ballet teacher.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Arashi-sensei…?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Oriana: {Cries} S-she’d tell u-us to l-leave and c-come back once we u-understand the g-g-gravity of what we’d done…

 

That seems… oddly severe.

 

Oriana: {Pulls hair} And… and… b-because of that, I’d miss r-really important r-rehearsals and then… she’d b-blame it on me when the representations w-weren’t perfect…

 

Hayato: What do you mean? How did she blame it on you?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} After a uh… s-show, she’d c-come to me and say: Oriana! D-do you know what you’ve done?!

 

Oriana: {Cries} And then she’d s-scream at me about h-how if s-something went w-wrong, it was b-because I missed a r-rehearsal!

 

Oriana: {Fixes bun} She d-did that even w-when the m-mistake d-didn’t come from me!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: The way you described her… she sounded like a pretty horrible person.

 

Oriana: {Angry, fists on hips} H-Hey! Don’t s-say that!

 

Hayato: I don’t mean no disrespect… but you must realise that your description didn’t make her look like a very kind woman.

 

Hayato: And when we started talking about her you just ended up running away… is there a reason for that?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Arashi-sensei… she… she…

 

She looks so sad… what could this woman possibly have done to her ?

 

Hayato: We don’t have to talk about it if it brings up bad memories… but I have to say that you’ve piqued my curiosity…

 

Oriana: {Shy look} N-No… I… sh-she deserves it… I’ll t-tell you m-more about her…

 

Hayato: It’s great that you want to open up to me… just don’t hesitate to stop if it gets too hard for you.

 

Oriana: O-Okay, I’ll t-try…

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Arashi-sensei… she was tough… b-but I h-have to be thankful… w-without her I’d have n-nothing.

 

Nothing?

 

Oriana: {Shy look} B-Before she introduced m-me to ballet… I w-was e-even more shy than I am t-today…

 

Oriana: I… w-was basically m-mute… I d-didn’t have enough uh… c-confidence to speak out… so I just kept quiet.

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} B-But… when I started to have a g-good level in ballet, I… I st-started to r-realise that I h-had something to t-talk about… that I w-wasn’t just a shadow… that I c-could speak for m-myself!

 

Damn… to think that dance could do that for someone… that’s really impressive…

 

Hayato: So uh, this Arashi-sensei… she’s the one who introduced you to dance?

 

Oriana: {Shy look} C-Correct… she was a friend of my p-parents… and when I w-was uh… really young, she offered to s-sign me up to her b-ballet school.

 

Oriana: W-We couldn’t really afford it… but sh-she said she’d p-pay the fees for m-me…  

 

Oriana: {Trembles} H-How could I refuse?

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} I thought… that sh-she was so kind… she w-was basically offering to change my l-life… and in a way, sh-she did…

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} W-Without her… I w-wouldn’t be here… I w-would never have r-reached such heights…

 

Hayato: But she was very tough to you right?

 

Oriana: She wasn’t at f-first… but wh-when the other uh… students accused h-her of favoritism… so sh-she decided to start b-being s-super harsh t-to me!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} And… sh-she r-really made my l-life hell… in a-all the ways I t-told you about last time.

 

Hayato: I’m sorry to hear that Oriana…

 

Oriana: {Bites nail} I’m j-just… not sure how to feel a-about her… sh-she did s-so much... b-but at the s-same time... sh-she really m-made me suffer... 

 

That really doesn't sound like a healthy relationship to me…

 

Hayato: Do you think it would help to talk about it some more?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} …

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Y-You know what… I th-think th-that's about a-all I c-can take for now… m-maybe another time... 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} I'm s-sorry… uh… th-these aren't p-pleasant memories…

 

Hayato: No Oriana that's totally fine, we can talk about it some other time. 

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} Th-Thank you f-for understanding!

 

I definitely don't want to push her on this seeing how sensitive of a subject it is… 

 

Still, I hope I'll eventually get to the bottom of this. I'd really like to get the full story in order to fully comprehend what happened to her…

 

For now, though… I think I understand Oriana a bit better. 

 

{Oriana's report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

Oriana and I talked for another little while about other stuff until she got tired and we both decided to go back to our own rooms. 

 

...

 

{Auto-move to Hayato's room}

 

...

 

It's almost 8 PM… which means it's time to go and meet the others in front of the Jules Vernes Staircase.

 

All 10 of us won't be able to get in the submarine tonight but hopefully everybody will be there. 

 

I'm half excited and half terorrised right now… This might be our ticket out of here but knowing Kurozo it can't be that easy…

 

I should just prepare for the worst… and hopefully it won't come to that. 

 

Let's go, there's no time to waste. 

 

{Exit Black Building}

 

{Move to Blue Building - 1st floor} 

 

{Examine Jules Vernes Staircase} 

 

{Scene opens, most of the group seems to be here}

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Mmph… it is time. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Is everybody ready?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Wait a second! Shinto-kun isn't here!

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Realistically… he's not going to come. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Raiko… you're here. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Of course, I'm here… you didn't think I was going to miss this did you?

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} In any c-case… uh… w-welcome back!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} This won't be a regular thing… I'm only here because of the motive. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Sure… sure…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Well then, assuming Shinto isn't coming then we should get going. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} What are we waiting for exactly?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hm… Kurozo, I have a question!

 

Kurozo: {Appears} I salute you. 

 

Oriana: K-Kyaaah! I'll n-never get used to this…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Thank you for coming… could you tell us what happens now?

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Very well, I do believe you are in need of some sort of explanation of how your dive will play out.

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} First things first, as you know, only five people are allowed in the hangar at once, which means that you must decide right now which of you will get to dive tonight. 

 

Kurozo: The five of you will find life jackets and other appropriate equipment in Station B… but because I am a benevolent director I have brought them here for you just this once. 

 

Jessie: {Excited} Thank you Mr. Elephant!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Don't thank him Jessie…

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} Once you get to the hangar, all you have to do is enter the submarine and then you can start your expedition!

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} As you kids won't know how to manoeuvre a ship like mine… I have taken the time to label all the appropriate buttons. I'm sure you'll understand everything soon enough.

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} In all cases… take this as a learning curve. Perhaps you won't manage to reach the end of the expedition tonight but you've got all the time in the world to do so. 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Quite literally so… your time limit is the next murder… but since you are all convinced that a murder won't happen then I assume you've got unlimited time to reach your goal! 

 

Kurozo: Finally, the remaining students may follow their classmates' journey through the livestream in the computer lab but that much isn't mandatory. 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} Any questions?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Um oui… this motive related stuff generally requires all of us to be here… is it okay for Shinto-kun to sit this one out.

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} I would have prefered him to attend but considering the fact that only five of you will embark the ship anyway… his absence doesn't really matter.

 

Kurozo: Anything else?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} No, I believe that we are indeed ready. 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Very well, good luck and enjoy yourselves out there! {Disappears} 

 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Okay so… there are nine of us here right now which means that four people have to step down for tonight.

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} C-Count me out! There's no way I'm putting a foot in this death machine!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I'll… I'll cheer you on from the Computer lab!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I… I th-think I'll d-do the same… I'm still a little b-bit too scared to join you g-guys. 

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} That's okay Oriana-chan! Nobody's forcing you!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… two down, two to go. 

 

...

 

We waited in silence but nobody else backed out. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hm… I see that all seven of us are interested. I would like to vouch for Reijiro and myself who, as the leaders of the group, should probably lead the way at least for the first dive. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Well, I really want to do this… I could write such an amazing article about the sea and the experience as a whole

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Also, uh… escaping's cool so that's a thing. 

 

Jessie: {Excited} I've been looking forward to this all day! Please let me come!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I'm coming along… whether you want me to or not. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Don't wanna brag… but I'm the only one who might know how to navigate this thing. 

 

Hayato: You are?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I've got my boat permit… I've had to lean how to operate a ship for some of my travels. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} That's an obvious reason to put me on the team. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… that does seem reasonable. A good captain would indeed be quite the luxury. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Alright, is anybody against the three of us being confirmed members of tonight's trip? 

 

...

 

Again, nobody spoke up. 

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with a playful smile} Alright! Let's do this! 

 

The three of them started putting on the lifejackets. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The four of you… two of you need to step down now! 

 

We all looked at each other… neither one of us wanted to give up this dive. I was the only one who didn't speak up earlier but I'm also very interested in doing this. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} As the captian, let me tell you this… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} I won't have Raiko on my ship! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Huh?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Tonight is really fucking important… and I won't let someone like her aboard who might disrupt our plans!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} And why the hell would I do that?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Why the hell do you do anything at all!? You're fucking insane!

 

Kenji: You're not coming on! End of discussion!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} And since when is it your decision to make!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Guys, please! Calm down!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} As I said… I'm coming on, I don't care what Kenji's got to say about it. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That's now how this fucking works!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} P-Please… don't fight!

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Does it help if I step down here?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes, thank you Jessie that is very nice of you

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} I presume that this means we have got our crew for the night, let's go now.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Hayato, Hikari… suit up. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You're… really doing this?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Of course we are! 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Sorry Raiko, maybe tomorrow night!

 

Reijiro: Let us get going… our time is limited!

 

He opened the door to the staircase. 

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Is that thing really going to plan every single time!?

 

Hayato: It appears so yes…

 

Fusume: {Confident} The four of you… we'll see you soon. 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Ngh… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Raiko-chan?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Oh to hell with it. 

 

And then… Raiko did something that none of us could have expected. 

 

{Raiko grabs Hikari's life jacket, she pushes Hayato through the door and walks through it herself}

 

Hikari: Raiko! What are you doing!?

 

Kenji: The fuck!!?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Forgive me… as I said, I cannot miss this dive. 

 

And just as she said that, the door automatically closed itself. The five people limit had been met which means that the others were stuck outside for now. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Why would you do that?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Come on… let's just go to the damn ship already!

 

She seriously just forced herself onto the team? She acted so quickly I didn't even have time to move. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Who the fuck do you think you are… ? You can't just take Hikari's spot like that! We had agreed on it!

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Nah, you agreed… not me. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I won't fucking let you in the ship!!!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} As a matter of fact, I think you will… 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} The rules state it clearly, I am not allowed to stay on deck while you guys use the submarine. You have no choice but to let me on. 

 

So that's why… she knew that by reaching the five people limit, we would have no choice but to let her in. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Raiko… I don't appreciate having my hand forced.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Seriously… I don't care. Let's just get to the ship already.

 

Kenji: {Furious} You… you fucking bitch.

 

Reijiro: {Hands extended over head} Enough with the bickering already… we have no choice, might as well accept it. 

 

Kenji: Grrr…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} That's a good boy. 

 

So much for Raiko changing… it seems that she's right back to her usual antics.

 

I just can't understand how that fits with the Raiko I met with at noon… she seemed so different. 

 

Why is this submarine so important to her… I wonder.

 

{Move to Hangar} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Okay guys… let's enter this submarine already. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} …

 

Kenji: {Furious} … 

 

Let's go.

 

{Examine submarine}

 

The submarine is held at dock level by a large metal clamp… as I get closer to it, it appears to read "Do not touch the clamp, FRAGILE" 

 

Huh… good to know, I definitely don't want this thing to break. 

 

 

The ship door itself is actually a few feet under dock level, which means we need a ladder to access it. Luckily enough, Kurozo seems to have prepared one for us. 

 

{Examine ladder} 

 

It looks like this one's also got a small text inscribed on it's edge… "Please put away after usage"

 

 

Fair enough.

 

Enough time wasting… the others are already in the ship. I don't want to make them wait. 

 

{Auto-move to Submarine - Cabin} 

 

{Scene opens on the submarine's main cabin. The walls are painted blue It's quite narrow and gives a way a clostrophobic sort of atmosphere. It's got a few coat hangers on one side and a large bench on the other. A large red trident is displayed in a class case and hung on the far wall. The rest is mainly decoration each piece in their own glass case. At the far left corner, a small yellow door can be seen} 

 

Damn… I didn't realise from the outside but this ship is actually quite small… I understand why there's a limit to how many people are allowed. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Bro… this thing is sick!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You may admire the decoration later… I believe we should get started already!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Sure… no need to kill the vibe dude. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} This yellow door must lead to the control room… 

 

Raiko: {Dark look} Huh {Leaves} 

 

She went through the door and we soon followed

 

{Auto-move to Submarine - Control Room}

 

{The control room is even smaller than the main cabin. The main attraction here is the large rectangular porthole in the front of the ship. Under it, a complex looking control table and a wooden helm} 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Huh… so this is where the magic happens. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} The machinery looks complicated…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Yeah… it's pretty classic stuff actually… I think a legitime submarine would be much more technical… I won't complain. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} I think I'll be able to drive this thing. 

 

Raiko: {Yawns} Great. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} …

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Y'know what… this room feels crammed… I don't think all five of us can be here. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I'd tend to agree-

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} You two can stay with me… Raiko and Hayato, why don't you guys go check out the main cabin. 

 

Hayato: Me? Why me?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Sorry man… but you know since you and Raiko are such great friends now it shouldn't be too much of a problem right?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Heh… I see {Leaves} 

 

Not cool Kenji… not after what I did for him in Station A…

 

*Sigh* I suppose I have no choice but to comply… if it genuinely helps the mission then I'll just wait in the cabin. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Thanks bro… now, let's get this baby on the water. 

 

Kenji pressed a button and the submarine started shaking before slowly lowering itself the few meters it needed to reach the actual water. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Woohoo! Lady and Gents, we're officially on the water!

 

Fusume: {Content} C'mon Kenji, show us what you can do!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} …

 

Kenji started pressing a bunch more buttons and I felt the ship start to move forward

 

I guess that's my cue to leave.

 

The last thing I saw was the dark blue of the sea in the porthole… it all looks so peaceful. 

 

I just hope we'll manage to find a way to escape… that's the only possible outcome here.

 

Worried as all hell, I made my way back to the cabin.

 

{Auto-move to Submarine - Cabin} 

 

Once I was back there, I saw…

 

{Close-up on Raiko, she's sitting on the cabin's bench, her eyes closed and her hands laying gently on her lap, almost as if she was meditating} 

 

What… what is she doing?

 

 

{Back to normal}

 

The ship's fully in motion by now… I think Kenji's figured out how to get this thing moving!

 

We're finally on our way… I'm obviously quite scared, but we might finally escape… 

 

Our freedom that we've been yearning for weeks now, it feels so close. 

 

I wish I could be of help in the control room, but I guess it really isn't possible. Still, I'll do whatever I can to make sure this goes as well as possible

 

The worst part is that the only window is that porthole up front. From down here, I have no idea what's going on outside the ship.

 

 

Ach, there's no point just sitting idly… I need to make good use of this time. 

 

Time to investigate the cabin!

 

{Talk to Raiko} 

 

Raiko: {Eyes closed} …

 

Hayato: …

 

Raiko: {Eyes closed} …

 

Hayato: …

 

She seems to focus completely on whatever the hell she's doing. I don't think she's even noticed that I came back here. 

 

Hayato: Hey Raiko… quite a trick you pulled before!

 

Raiko: {Eyes closed} …

 

Yeah… I wasn't really expecting an answer there… 

 

Hayato: Is something wrong? 

 

Raiko: {Eyes closed} …

 

Okay then… 

 

Hayato: I'll uh… leave you to it… 

 

Raiko: {Eyes closed} Can you feel it?

 

Hayato: Huh? 

 

Raiko: {Eyes closed} Can… you… feel… it?

 

Hayato: Feel… what exactly?

 

Raiko: {Eyes closed} …

 

Okay this is pointless… either she just decided to quote some Jackson Five music or this is going completely over my head. 

 

Heh, timely thing to say in a submarine I might add… I'm a comical genius. 

 

Raiko: {Eyes closed} …

 

Ugh… There's no point trying to communicate with her. I'll just shift my attention to something else for now. 

 

{Examine Model Sailboat} 

 

The decoration in this place is very "Boat" themed… this sailboat caught my eye though. 

 

It kinda looks like a pirate ship. Reminds me of my toys when I was younger.

 

When I get back home I should see if I still have that pirate costume laying around… no reason

 

… 


Pirates are cool… leave me be.


{Examine World Map} 

 

This is quite a classic map of the world, nothing of note here. 

 

Makes me wonder though… where exactly are we? 

 

We most likely aren't in Japan anymore. So where could our captors have taken us?

 

A fully desert Island with a gigantic resort. That can't be common can it?

 

Just how much money has been in this killing game?

 

The more I think about it the freakier this whole thing gets. 

 

{Examine Coat Hangers} 

 

I suppose these are for hanging your life jacket… there's no way in hell I'm taking mine off though.

 

It's not that I can't swim… but let's just say that if we get stranded in the middle of the ocean I am 1000% dead.

 

So yeah, that's another worrying though for my brain to handle. 

 

 

Cool.

 

 

 

 

Suddenly, Raiko stood up… fire burning in her eyes like I'd rarely seen her. 

 

Hayato: Raiko… where are you going?

 

Obviously, she ignored me and just made her way to the control room. 

 

There's definitely no point in trying to stop her… I don't think Kenji's going to take this too well. 

 

 

Oh well, what can I do?

 

{Examine Trident}

 

Heh, how surprising… they still managed to have a weapon in here. 

 

This trident is huge… almost as if it was meant for Poseidon himself.

 

I just hope it's just decoration… 

 

With Raiko and Kenji in a confined environment, I'd rather keep this place weapon free. 

 

Yeah, that's right… it's just plastic, it's got to be.

 

*CRASH*

 

Huh!!? What was that?

 

It came from the control room!

 

I should see what's going on! Now! 

 

{Auto-move to Submarine - Control Room} 

 

Kenji: {Furious} I told you… to get back to the fucking cabin!!!

 

Oh no…

 

Raiko: …

 

Kenji: Did you not fucking hear me!?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Oh no, I did. It's hard not to hear you considering that you're screaming all the time. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Just… fucking go! I need to concentrate!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Raiko… perhaps it's better if you just listen to him. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Nah… I need to check something for myself. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} And you can't do it anywhere else? 

 

Raiko: No. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Leave… now!!! Or I'll make you fucking regret it!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Kenji, stay focused on what you're doing!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Try me, big guy. 

 

She didn't even look at him as she said that… her gaze remained fully focused on the porthole. Whatever it was she was looking for, it was the only thing in her mind at that moment.

 

What happened next though… that much was impossible to predict. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} I've... I've had enough of your shit!!!!

 

Kenji: GRRAAAAAH!!!!!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} N-No!

 

Kenji turned away from his station and leaped towards Raiko!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Stop this!

 

Kenji: FUCK YOU!!!

She nonchalently turned to face him and then.

 

*BANG*

 

{Raiko uses Kenji's force against him and projects him on the floor over her shoulder, the impact of his body making the whole ship shake.} 

 

Kenji: ARGH!!!

 

Fusume: J-Jesus!

 

Kenji: My fucking arm… what the hell did you do!?

 

{Back to normal}

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Can you let me concentrate now?

 

Kenji: {Furious} I'm gonna fucking kill you!

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Don't say that dammit!

 

She turned to Reijiro for help but he looked to be elsewhere, he pointed at the porthole… a horrified expression on his face. 

 

I shifted my stance to look at what he was pointing and saw…

 

{A large wooden shipwreck is blocking the path of the submarine} 

 

Hayato: G-Guys!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Where… where did that thing come from!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} We need to avoid it!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Kenji, come back here!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} W-We're going too fast, we're going to crash into it!!!

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} N-No! Do something! 

 

He rushed back to the commands as the monstrous shape of the shipwreck got bigger and bigger.

 

Kenji: {Panicked} There's no time… 

 

Fusume: NO!!

 

Kenji: FUCKING DAMMIT!

 

Kenji: {Panicked} Predicted impact in 3… 2…

 

I watched helpless, there was nothing any of us could do to avoid the obstacle… 

 

I just braced myself for the crash and closed my eyes. 

 

 

Is this the end…?

 

After everything that's happened… is this really how we die?

 

I held my breath, expecting the worst.

 

 

 

 

Nothing…

 

Nothing at all?

 

What happened…? Did we avoid it!?

 

I opened my eyes and saw…

 

{The shipwreck seems to have disappeared from the porhole's field of vision} 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Did somebody… do something?

 

Kenji: {Panicked} N-No… I couldn't avoid it in time… we should have crashed into it… I don't understand.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Then what happened? Where is it?

 

Kenji: The sensors… they don't detect any object in proximity to the ship… the thing just flat out vanished! 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} That's not possible… objects can't just disappear!

 

Kenji: {Furious} How else do you want to explain what just happen then!?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} There's got to be an explanation… yes, that's right. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} That was… a close one. 

 

Definitely… I think I saw my entire life flash for an instant. 

 

Damn it, that was fucking terrifying. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We can consider ourselves lucky, whatever happened, we barely made it out alive. 

 

Reijiro: And that is because the two of you were fighting! {Points at Kenji} You put the five of us in danger by leaving your work station!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} It… it was her!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I do not care for your excuses. What happened happened. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I think… we've had enough for one night. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What does that mean?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I don't know about the rest of you… but I've had just about enough thrills for one night. I propose we head back to dock…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We'll try again tomorrow… without the fighting. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes, that seems wise. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You really wanna give up now, seriously? We can keep on going! We've barely explored a small portion of the area!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I'm fine with going home, I've seen what I wanted to see. 

 

Fusume: What about you Hayato?

 

Me…? I'm still recovering from that near death experience just then, give me a second!

 

Hayato: I'm uh… I'd gladly go back to dock to be honest. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph, the majority rules… looks like we are giving up for tonight. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Wait a fucking-

 

Before Kenji could protect, Reijiro pressed the red "GIVE UP" button and the motors immidiately shut themselves off. 

 

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

After a short pause, the submarine started vibrating again before slowly going back into motion. 

 

The cabled connecting us to the dock did served its purpose and we all waited in silence for a few minutes as it dragged us back to dock. 

 

 

Once we finally made it back, the clamp automatically connected itself back to the top of the submarine and the door opened. 

 

Without a word, Kenji and Raiko left the ship, Reijiro and Fusume shared a few words of hope about how tomorrow would go better before also exiting. 

 

Left alone in this… death machine as Kôzuke soundly called it earlier on, I decided to head back to my room, excited to get back on land and its assured safety. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato's room} 

 

Never again am I setting foot in that thing.

 

Turns out I definitely wasn't scared enough for our first dive. It really ended up being quite a catastrophic ride. 

 

Not only was the atmosphere tense as ever, but we went this close to colliding with an old shipwreck.

 

I could have died dammit!

 

Weeks into the killing game and this is the closest I've been to dying… and for what?

 

Can we really escape? Is it really possible? 

 

I… I don't know anymore… this shipwreck accident left me confused.

 

We were going to crash into it… we might have died… and then it suddenly disappeared without a trace. 

 

How is that even possible?

 

What transpired in that submarine exactly? 

 

I… I just don't know. 

 


Despite my soulcrushing confusion, I fell asleep almost instantly, floored by the evening's intensity.

 

Little did I know, answering those questions… and figuring out the submarine's secrets would soon be crucial. 

 

And trust me, I wasn't ready.

 

Kurozo Theater

 

Kurozo: …

 

Kurozo: …

 

Kurozo: …

 

Kurozo: …

 

Kurozo: …

 

Kurozo: …

 

Kurozo: No. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Notes:

Damn, that was intense… What could this disappearing shipwreck business be all about huh?

More and more questions arise but don't worry, you'll get answers in future updates!

As usual, if you have theories on who's biting the bullet this time around or more generally (especially as we get closer to the endgame) then do drop a comment, it's always appreciated.

Here's next chapter's FTE poll : https://www.strawpoll.me/19459978

Thanks again for reading and see you in the next one!

Chapter 44: Chapter 4 : 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea : Daily life part 4

Notes:

We're back at the resort!
Today's FTEs go to Oriana and Raiko

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{TV screen lights up, Monokuma’s usual jacuzzi has been replaced with a leather armchair which Kurozo is sitting on}

 

Kurozo: Good morning students, I hope that all is well. The time is 8:00 AM which means that night time is officially over.

 

Kurozo: I wish you all a productive day in the resort!

 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdSYNKNagU )

 

 

 

 

I don’t feel like getting up today.

 

 

I tried thinking like an optimist, truly did… and all that did was make the disappointment that much harder to digest.

 

 

We were all so hopeful… that this submarine could be our ticket out of here but after seeing how yesterday went, It’s become crystal clear to me that escape’s basically impossible

 

There are no instructions at all, we have no idea where to go and how to get there.

 

And worst of all…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Furious} I told you… to get back to the fucking cabin!!!

 

Oh no…

 

Raiko: …

 

Kenji: Did you not fucking hear me!?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Oh no, I did. It's hard not to hear you considering that you're screaming all the time.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Just… fucking go! I need to concentrate!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Raiko… perhaps it's better if you just listen to him.

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Nah… I need to check something for myself.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} And you can't do it anywhere else?

 

Raiko: No.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Leave… now!!! Or I'll make you fucking regret it!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

We weren’t even capable of working together to at least make some progress… Kenji and Raiko just argued the whole way through, making the whole trip a complete waste of time and almost killing the five of us in the process.

 

 

I think I’m finally starting to understand Kurozo’s thinking behind this motive…

 

It felt odd… a motive that doesn’t push us by playing with our emotions nor makes it easier for us to murder.

 

A motive with only upsides. A chance to escape murder free.

 

There was no way out in the first place.

 

 

What’s the point in trying? I wonder…

 

I just don’t have the strength anymore.

 

 

 

 

I’m getting hungry. As tempting as staying in bed all day sounds, I should go to the restaurant.

 

Et tu stomach, betraying me in times like this.

 

Can’t delay the inevitable I guess.

 

{Move to Room Hallway}

 

{Talk to Raiko}

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} …

 

Hayato: …

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} …

 

A classic conversation courtesy of Raiko Itake…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} What do you want?

 

Hayato: Oh uh… nothing in particular.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Then leave me alone will you?

 

Hayato: Sorry, I didn’t know I needed a specific request to talk to you…

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Ngh… you don’t…

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} I just don’t understand why you’d want to talk to me if you don’t have something in particular you want of me.

 

Hayato: Well, I guess I just thought I’d check up on you… after last night.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Last night went fine… I got what I wanted.

 

Hayato: R-Really!? But what about the fight with Kenji?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} That was all part of the plan. There was no way I was going to force my way into the ship without some backlash.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Knowing he was going to be there, it was basically impossible for him not to snap at me.

 

Hayato: And yet… everything went fine according to you?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Yeah, I couldn’t care less about arguing with the likes of him… I was looking for info and I got it.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} That much is all that matters to me.

 

Hayato: I… I see.

 

She did seem particularly focused on something yesterday.

 

{Flashback}

 

Raiko: {Eyes closed} …

 

Hayato: …

 

Raiko: {Eyes closed} …

 

Hayato: …

 

She seems to focus completely on whatever the hell she's doing. I don't think she's even noticed that I came back here.

 

Hayato: Hey Raiko… quite a trick you pulled before!

 

Raiko: {Eyes closed} …

 

Yeah… I wasn't really expecting an answer there…

 

Hayato: Is something wrong?

 

Raiko: {Eyes closed} …

 

Okay then…

 

Hayato: I'll uh… leave you to it…

 

Raiko: {Eyes closed} Can you feel it?

 

Hayato: Huh?

 

Raiko: {Eyes closed} Can… you… feel… it?

 

Hayato: Feel… what exactly?

 

Raiko: {Eyes closed} …

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: So… are you coming to the restaurant to share your discoveries with the rest of us?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} …

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Obviously not… nobody would listen to me anyway.

 

Hayato: That’s not necessarily-

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Save it. This is pointless and you know it.

 

She’s antagonized the group sufficiently for this to be true… still if she’s found out something important that she needs to tell us.

 

Hayato: Maybe you’re right about the group but…

 

Hayato: Tell me about what you’ve discovered! You know I’d listen!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} …

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} I can’t.

 

Hayato: Wh-What!? Why not?

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} …

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} I’m sorry Hayato.

 

Hayato: Wait a second!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} … {Leaves} 

 

 

That was… something.

 

{Talk to Hikari} 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Good morning Hayato!

 

Hayato: Hey…

 

Hikari: {Sad} Aw… looks like somebody’s not in the best of moods today huh?

 

Hayato: Sorry about that… I guess you could say that yesterday’s dive didn’t go too well.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I’m aware, we saw the whole thing through the livestream remember?

 

Hayato: R-Right!

 

I had completely forgotten about that!

 

It means that everybody witnessed how much of a disaster it was…

 

Hikari: {Sad} I’m sorry that it didn’t go the way we would have hoped… but one failure doesn’t mean we have to give up!

 

Hayato: I’m just not sure it’s worth the effort to try…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} It’s always worth it to have faith!

 

Hikari: Please remember that!

 

Faith… but faith in what?

 

How can she be so hopeful…? How does she do it?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} …

 

Hikari… whether it’s strength or naivety… I wish I could be more like her sometimes.

 

{Move to Restaurant} 

 

{Scene opens on the restaurant, Raiko and Shinto are missing} 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Good morning everyone!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} …

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Kôzuke: {Blood-shot eyes} …

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Yeesh… talk about a bad atmosphere…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Fucking… bullshit…

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Is th-this… all a r-result of l-last n-night’s dive?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} …

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hm, do forgive us… I suppose you could say that yesterday’s dive was somewhat hard to digest.

 

Kenji: {Furious} …

 

For some people more than others clearly.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Oriana-chan, Hikari-chan, Kôzuke-kun and myself had a front row seat to everything that happened.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Everything?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Pretty much… we saw the arguments and… and uh… Raiko beating Kenji’s ass after that.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Shut the fuck up about that already!!!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Nnnngh!!!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Kenji-kun!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} She didn’t beat my ass alright!

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Furious} I've... I've had enough of your shit!!!!

 

Kenji: GRRAAAAAH!!!!!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} N-No!

 

Kenji turned away from his station and leaped towards Raiko!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Stop this!

 

Kenji: FUCK YOU!!!

 

She nonchalently turned to face him and then.

 

*BANG*

 

{Raiko uses Kenji's force against him and projects him on the floor over her shoulder, the impact of his body making the whole ship shake} 

 

Kenji: ARGH!!!

 

Fusume: J-Jesus!

 

Kenji: My fucking arm… what the hell did you do!?

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Kenji: {Furious} She only overpowered me because I let her okay!?

 

I don’t know what’s more bruised after the incident… Kenji’s arm or his ego…

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} I’m sorry it didn’t go to plan you guys… I’m sure we’ll do better tonight!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} There’s no point giving up now!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} B-But…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} As I’ve been saying from the beginning! We can’t lose hope!

 

Hikari: We won’t ever get out of here if we simply stand down!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} We’ll find a way out of the damned resort one way or another!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} And that means we’ve got to go back tonight, and tomorrow and the day after that!

 

Hikari: And eventually-

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Sadly, I am afraid this simply cannot be the case.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} R-Reijiro-kun?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} What are you talking about man?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} After last night’s disaster… it  does not seem safe to go back before we have time to prepare for the dive!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} P-Prepare…?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You must have noticed while watching us… last night was almost fatal for the five of us.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The… disagreement between my colleagues led us off our trajectory… we could have died.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Y-Yes, I know that, but if we avoid this type of accident then it should be fine-

 

Reijiro: How exactly do you contend we could “avoid” an event of the sort!?  

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} There needs to be adequate preparation… a study of the maps, of the way the submarine functions and of its surroundings…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} On which lineup of five is least likely to start a row.

 

Hikari: B-But…

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} We simply cannot do this again without being 100% prepared!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Reijiro-kun! You forgot the fact that the longer we wait, the longer we have to stay in the resort…

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} And risk another murder…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Correct, however attepting this dive again in the current state of things means we risk losing all five people in the submarine!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} It would be utterly foolish to take that sort of risk!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Wh-What about… the submarine b-being s-safe… like y-you said it w-would be!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} You said so yourself Reijiro, Kurozo would never expose half of the group to such danger!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} That was… just speculation… at the end of it all… there is no way to know that for sure.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And we simply cannot bare to take that risk!

 

???: Wrong!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} H-Huh?

 

We all turned around and saw :

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Good morning, students! I have brought a special guest for you all!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} A s-special gu-guest?

 

Shinto: {Livid} …

 

Jessie: Shinto-kun!!!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Shinto! You came!

 

Sadly, he looked just as distraught as the last time I saw him…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Wait!

 

Hayato: Shinto!

 

He turned around to face me and I saw… 

 

{Close-up on Shinto, his cast looks like it’s broken, he isn’t wearing his hat nor his bowtie. His hair is disheveled and he has huge bags under his eyes} 

 

He looked… absolutely terrible. 

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} He’s not here by choice believe you me…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You brought him by force!?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Force is a strong word, let’s just say I insisted… to quite an extent.

 

I’m not sure I see the difference here.

 

Shinto: {Livid} …

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Sh-Shinto! A-Are you uh… f-feeling better?

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} …

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} You’ll inquire on Mr. Masada’s mental state later… for now, I will speak to you.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You wanted the whole group to be present for this announcement of yours yes? That’s why you dragged him here!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} But wait man! Raiko isn’t here!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Yes, I am aware… however, she asked to be excused for this little meeting, for reasons that will soon become obvious to you all.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You’re saying that she can just bypass the rules now!? What the fuck’s up with that?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Perhaps if you let me speak you’d understand why I granted her request…

 

Speaking without being interrupted every 10 seconds? Nah, you’re thinking of the wrong group…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Mmph… just speak your piece.

 

Shinto: {Livid} …

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Thank you for your attention.

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} As the more observant students may have noticed… the submarine dive is a great source of mystery.

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Everything isn’t always how it seems in life, you know that of course.

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} That submarine isn’t any different.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} What… what does that even mean?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Let me say this… not only could the submarine be your ticket out of the resort but I will also reward students who successfully figure out…

 

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} The secret of the submarine!

 

The secret… of what now?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What in the world are you talking about!?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} The name makes it pretty self-explanatory… the closer you get to that secret the more you’ll be rewarded!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But… what’s this sekrè all about?

 

Kurozo: {Sly grin} It wouldn’t be much of a secret if I answered that question now would it?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But then… how are we even supposed to know what to do if you don’t tell us what to look for!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Th-That makes it pretty m-much impossible!

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Impossible… I think not.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You… you cannot possibly be claiming that…

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Of course I am!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No…!

 

Kenji: {Furious} What are you all getting so fucking pissy about!?

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Yeah! Let us join in the worrying!

 

What.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} The way he just said it, it sounds like he’s implying that…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Raiko’s already figured something out!

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Bingo.

 

Oriana: {Hypeverventilates} N-N-No way!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Raiko-chan’s got it figured out? Already?

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} She doesn’t have the full picture yet… that much would be too easy.

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} But she’s on the right track… which is why she’s been rewarded as an encouragement of sorts!

 

She figured out that the submarine had a secret…? Before he even announced it!

 

Is that what she was talking about earlier?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Did you say that she has been “rewarded”?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Of course… such smart thinking deserves to recognised.

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Raiko understood the situation without any guidance from my part… truly impressive if you ask me.

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Sorry but… what kind of reward are we talking about?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} As this is only our first prize ever, the reward is nothing to write home about…

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} Mrs Itake was rewarded with a masterkey to the blue building!

 

Oriana: {Shocked} A m-m-masterkey!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Nngh!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} …

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Aw c’mon that doesn’t sound too bad!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} In Raiko’s hands… a masterkey could be very dangerous.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} H-How dangerous are we talking about exactly man?

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} This building’s just filled with open doors… what is she gonna do with that key?

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Th-That’s not true…! Th-there are a few l-locked doors in the b-blue building!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Hey! That’s well spotted Oriana-chan!

 

Oriana: {Blushes} Hehe… th-thank you!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} If that masterkey gives Raiko access to areas that are closed off to us… that’s pretty huge!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Yeah… about that.

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} The masterkey will only interact with doors that were originally open… it won’t open any of the doors that were locked to begin with.

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} These are still off limits… for good reason!

 

So the masterkey doesn’t open the couple of locked doors we’ve stumbled on… that seems odd.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Heh, not much of a masterkey if it is restrictive in what it opens!

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I see… that makes her key significantly less scary.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Raiko-chan’s only perk is to lock doors then… Det verkar inte så illa…

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Ha! Looks like that masterkey’s a load of horse shit after all!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Doesn’t look like the bitch’s getting such an edge on us anymore…

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Hm… if you say so.

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Underestimate my rewards at your own risk…

 

The way he’s saying that… so confidently. There must be something else here.

 

There’s no way that key’s harmless… if Kurozo’s introducing it in the game then’s it’s surely going to have an impact in some way.

 

Especially if Raiko’s the one wielding it.

 

Hayato: Guys… I still think we should take this seriously. This is Raiko we’re talking about, we can’t just disregard it.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I beg to differ.

 

Hayato: Y-You do…?

 

Please, do share your knowledge, o superior being…

 

Reijrio: {Smug} Of course… the girl is dangerous, we all know it.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} But what can she do with a key? Her only possibility is to lock doors… not only is that insignificant but it can easily be reversed. All the doors have their idividual key after all.

 

Hayato: I… I guess I see your point.

 

Still… I’ll keep this in the back of my mind.

 

Raiko’s being acting weird lately… we can’t just give her complete freedom… especially now that she has an edge on us.

 

Fusume: {Confident} The only real problem is that she’s got a headstart on us as far as unveiling this secret…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I presume the next rewards will be more significant.

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Fear no more! I wouldn’t allow such favoritism!

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} A student will not get two prizes in a row! Even if she were to figure out the truth about the submarine… she would not be rewarded for it if nobody else had come close to figuring it all out.

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Her early lead does not equate with an unfair advantage of sorts.

 

Huh, I see… he really did think of everything.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Tch… we really don’t have anything to worry about then! We’ll just have to figure out that fucking secret for ourselves!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Still… it’s impressive that Raiko-chan managed to get all that info in one dive only!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} One dive?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Wait…

 

Oriana: {Shocked} Sh-She went on more than one dive?

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Yeah… I suppose you had no way to know.

 

Kurozo: After you all left to your rooms, Raiko came to me to ask if there was a limit to the number of dives per night. The answer to that question being no, of course.

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} And that’s about it… she went on a second dive. By herself.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} She did what!?

 

She went down there… by herself!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} This is unacceptable… why were we not made aware of this earlier!?

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Here’s one thing you should know about me… I don’t like it when you put words in my mouth. I never said that you couldn’t dive more than once a day, you just assumed it!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} She had every right!

 

Kenji: {Furious} You motherfucker!!! I’ll put something else in your mouth you bitch!

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Heh… pathetic.

 

Kurozo: The so called “edge” that Raiko’s got over you all is that she knows not to make stupid assumptions. If I haven’t explicitly said something then you shouldn’t take it for a fact.

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} She understood that… and through that second dive she got that little bit closer to the truth about the submarine!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Hngh… I was a fool…

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You still think that you shouldn’t go for a second dive Reijiro?

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} I can guarantee that there is no risk at all… but the reward on the other hand, it could really help you guys guarantee your own safety.

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} You don’t want to see another murder do you?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} 80% of success is just showing up right? So show up! You know that Raiko won’t give up.

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} I suggest you do the same…

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Hm… of course, that much is just my opinion! Good day to you all! {Disappears} 

 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} So uh… that was a thing.

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} What do we do man… what do we do, what do we do? what do we do!!!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} S-So… we have n-no choice then t-to go back right?

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} I say we… b-but I d-definitely w-won’t go back! That thing’s t-too scary!

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} …

 

Wait… he’s there! I’d completely forgotten!

 

Shinto: {Livid} I… I…

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Shinto-kun!? Do you want to share your take on all this?

 

Shinto: {Looks down} I…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You what? Spit it out already!

 

Shinto: {Livid} Hnngh… I uh… I…

 

Shinto: {Cries, desperate expression} I’m sorryyyyyyyyyyyy!!! {Leaves}

 

He ran off.

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} It… it appears that he isn’t ready yet to rejoin the group just yet.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Isolation is never a good thing…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} He needs to snap out of it already.

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Can’t you see that he’s in pain man!? We gotta leave him the time he needs!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} We’ve given him time already… what else does he want!?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Y-You’re so fucking heartless! You just care about yourself!!!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Gnnrk!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Boys! No fighting! Now’s not the time!

 

Oriana: {Crying} …

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} …

 

Can we ever get through a meeting without these two arguing anymore…?

 

They used to be like two peas in a pod… what the hell happened?

 

What are we even supposed to do with all this infighting?

 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Guys! You know what will cheer everyone up?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} World peace? Freedom? Chocolate?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Uh… these are all valid guesses Jessie but I think I can do you one better!

 

Oriana: {Shocked} B-Better than w-world peace!?

 

Hikari: {Bead of sweat} Well… more achievable, at least.

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Then… wh-wh-what is it!?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Clean clothes!

 

Wait… what?

 

Jessie: {Disappointing} I think I’d still prefer chocolate.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hikari… what are you talking about exactly?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Well, you might not have noticed but ever since Kurozo replaced Monokuma, our closets haven’t been refilled.

 

Hayato: Is that so?

 

I must say I put so little thought in what I wear that it absolutely has not crossed my mind.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I’ve noticed… this is my last copy of my everyday outfit, I’d rather not have to wear the same clothes two days in a row.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} And why is that Kenji-kun?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I sweat… like a pig. Even my goggles have gotten filthy by now…

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} I instantly regret asking that question…

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Either way, I comfronted Kurozo about it and he said that he wasn’t our maid and that it was our duty to tend to our personal hygiene.

 

Somehow, I can easily imagine him saying that…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} So what…? Is he going to push us to murder by forcing us to live in our own dirt?

 

Reijiro: {Amused} How… monstrous.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Friends, do not fear as Hikari Hisano has got the answer to your problems!

 

I’ve never seen her this excited about anything… she’s probably exaggerating a little to impress the… easily impressed members of the group.

 

Oriana: {Pumped up} H-Hikari Hisano! Tell u-us your s-solution!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} You’ve cracked the case man!

 

Heh, it does seems to be working.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Station B’s got a perfectly functional washing machine! If Kurozo won’t wash our clothes like Monokuma used to then we’ll have to do it ourselves!

 

Oriana: {Shocked} N-No way!

 

THAT shocked her!?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I've already used it once after my shoes got dirty the other day, and it's very easy to use!

 

She put… her shoes in the washing machine!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} That's cool and all but man… who’s going to do it?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I will! I volunteer as tribute!

 

Oriana: {Shocked} …

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} … Such a generous offer…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Are you sure Hikari? We could organise some sort of rotating system-

 

Hikari: {Smiles} No can do! It was my idea and I’ll do it!

 

Hikari: I really don’t mind!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I can store them and put them to dry in my room so you don't have to worry about anything being stolen! I'll take care of it!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… if the workload sits well with you then it is a done deal.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Great! Fresh clothes will do wonder for all of you! I promise!

 

 

{Screen fades to black}

 

And so, we all agreed to leave our dirty clothes in front of our bedroom doors to make it easy for Hikari to get everytihng together.

 

Something like a laundry is so minimal… and yet with all the energy she put into it, I’m pretty sure that Hikari managed to somewhat cheer everybody up.

 

I still don’t know how she does it… but she’s damn good at lifting our spirit in times like these.

 

I guess it’ll be nice to wear freshly washed clothes anyway… Hikari will certainly put more attention than Monokuma did.

 

This meeting… didn’t end too badly, thanks to her.

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room}

 

I’m glad that we ended breakfast on a positive note… but I still have questions.

 

What exactly did Raiko discover…? What’s this submarine secret about?

 

And that masterkey… what’s she planning to do with it?

 

 

Is there a fate worse than ignorance…?  I can’t help but wonder.

 

 

One thing’s for sure… staying here obsessing about it all won’t do any good… I should definitely find something to do.

 

{Free time start}

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdSYNKNagU)

 

{Move to Black Building - 2nd Floor}

 

{Move to Library}

 

{Oriana is here}

 

{Talk to Oriana} 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} G-Good morning Hayato! I’ve c-come here to take a break from the e-excitation of the blue building!

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} I h-hoped to f-find something peaceful to do in here… y-you’re uh… welcome to j-join me!

 

Do I want to spend time with Oriana?

 

{Yes/No}

 

Oriana: {Bites nail} D-Did I phrase th-that correctly…? I d-don’t want to s-seem boring…

 

Oriana: {Shocked} Oh… y-you answered my question already! S-Sorry, I was d-deep in thought!

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} P-Please, don’t m-mind me!

 

I spent the morning reading quietly with Oriana. We didn’t really interact that much but it was still quite pleasant. She’s got a very calming presence.

 

I’m pretty sure I caught her staring at me upon looking up from my book… I think she’s just not that used to people hanging out with her like that.

 

It’s quite cute.

 

We definitely got a bit closer.

 

 

 

 

I don’t want to bother her… but I just can’t stop thinking about our conversation last time around.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail} I’m j-just… not sure how to feel a-about her… sh-she did s-so much... b-but at the s-same time... sh-she really m-made me suffer...

 

That really doesn't sound like a healthy relationship to me…

 

Hayato: Do you think it would help to talk about it some more?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} …

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Y-You know what… I th-think th-that's about a-all I c-can take for now… m-maybe another time...

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: Oriana… I know you said that these weren’t happy memories for you, but would you mind if we finished talking about your dance teacher?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Arashi-sensei…

 

Hayato: Once again, please don’t feel like I’m forcing you! We don’t have to if you don’t feel like it… but I think it could help you to get those feelings out in the open.

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} If y-you think so… I’m w-willing to give it a try!

 

Oriana: Where d-did we l-leave it last time?

 

Hayato: You told me about your relationship to her… about complicated it all was.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Y-Yeah… complicated, that’s the w-word for it…

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} I’m n-not sure what else you uh… w-want to know.  

 

Oriana: That’s r-really all th-there is to it… she w-was a really tough t-teacher, b-but it’s th-thanks to her that I g-got here!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I promise… there’s uh… n-nothing else to say!

 

I don’t need spiritual powers to know that she’s not telling me the whole truth.

 

Maybe I should jog her memory…

 

Hayato: Perhaps that’s all there is to say about your relation to her… but there is something that striked me as odd when you were telling me about her.

 

Oriana: {Shocked} R-Really…? Wh-What was that?

 

The weird part in her tale… it’s gotta be this:

 

    1. She never mentioned her teacher by name
    2. She was very vague
    3. She talked about her teacher in the past tense

 

 

Hayato: Every time you refered to Arashi-sensei it was in the past tense… you said that she “was” tough… did somehting happen!?

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} K-Kyaah! Y-You… noticed!?

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} If you’ve figured that p-part out… maybe I sh-should tell you about what h-happened.

 

Hayato: Maybe you should… if that’s not too difficult of a memory for you.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Th-There… there was an accident.

 

An… accident?

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} We were training… She g-got mad because I hadn’t l-learnt a c-complex figure… and… and…

 

Oriana: {Cries} She wanted to show m-me… but… that accident…

 

Oriana: And n-now… b-because of me… she’ll n-never d-dance… again!

 

What… what is this?

 

Hayato: Oriana! Slow down!

 

Hayato: Take a breath and tell me what happened!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I… it’s uh… a-all my fault!

 

Hayato: What is!?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Arashi-sensei… I’m s-so sorry!

 

I’m afraid to ask but…

 

Hayato: Is… she dead?

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} N-No… her fate… was m-much worse than death!

 

A fate worse than death!? What is she talking about?

 

Oriana: {Cries} I d-d-don’t want to remember! It’s all… all my fault!

 

Oriana: I’m s-sorry… Hayato… I d-don’t want to t-talk about this…

 

Hayato: Huh… that’s okay, maybe next time.

 

Oriana: {Angry, fists on hips} N-No! I d-don’t want to talk about this… ever again!

 

Hayato: What!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} You’ve… j-jogged some bad m-memories… which I d-don’t want to h-have to face anymore!

 

Oriana: {Angry, fists on hips} P-Please! Don't ever bring this up again!

 

That's… much stronger of a reaction than I would have expected. Whatever the story here… I bet that it's gotta be something that really scarred her. 

 

Hayato: Okay… if that's what you want. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Th-Thanks… 

 


No matter my attempts to lighten the mood… Oriana stayed tense for the rest of our hangout. I guess I really upset her with my questions. I should be more careful next time around… even though it's going to be hard to forget about the whole thing. 

 

A fate worse than death huh…

 

Either way, I think I understand Oriana a bit better. 

 

{Oriana's report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

Eventually, the awkwardness got a bit too much to bear and we mutually decided it was best to go our own way for the rest of the day. 

 

 

Frustrated, I went back to my room. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato's room} 

 

Alright… Hikari's seems to be taking care of the dirty clothes situation which should hopefully make everyone a little bit less on edge… somehow. 

 

I don't have much to do… guess I'll just go and have lunch… see who's around-

 

*Knock Knock*

 

Nevermind… looks like somebody's at the door again… yesterday it was Raiko… I wonder who it is today.

 

Whoever it is, no point in making them wait, I should see what they want. 

 

{Examine door} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hello again. 

 

Hayato: Fusume? What are you doing here? 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} There's a bit of a situation… I think you could help us. 

 

Hayato: A situation? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Just come out of here… you'll see for yourself. 

 

I will?

 

Fusume: I shall wait for you in the corridor… make haste. 

 

 

Whatever it is that happened… time might be of the essense… let's get moving. 

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Jessie and Fusume are here} 

 

Jessie: {Waving} Hey there Hayato-kun!

 

Hayato: Hi Jessie… care to tell me what's going on now?

 

Fusume: {Confident} It's Shinto… we have tried giving him time… but I think we've got to do something. 

 

Hayato: What do you have in mind?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Well, we've been yelling at his door for ages and he doesn't seem to be listening.

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} We know that he's in there… if only he just gave us a chance… 

 

I see… nobody's managed to talk to him ever since the last trial. It's normal to assume that he still blames himself for Yoko's death. 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip, inquisitive} This is where you come in… Hayato.

 

Hayato: Me!?

 

Jessie: {Excited} Yes! Bien sur, toi!

 

Fusume: {Confident} If memory serves, you're the one who managed to get Shinto out of his room before the trial… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: Shinto… I know you can hear me… and you need to trust me… and help me fight! Help all of us!

 

Hayato: We’re going to get through this… as hard as it may be… and whatever happens… for Yoko… for Tadao… and for all of us.

 

Hayato: If you don’t come with us… you’ll die, and we probably all will… Yoko wouldn’t have wanted that.

 

Hayato: She would have wanted you to fight, Shinto! So come out of your room… and come… for everyone’s sake.

 

… 

 

I waited… in silence. That felt great to say… but will it be enough-

 

*Click*

 

The door unlocked and out came… 

 

Shinto: {In tears} I… I’m r-ready…

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: I… I did but that doesn't mean I'm an expert at this or something.

 

Hayato: There's no guarentee that it'll work!

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Honestly… it won't hurt to try… he hasn't responded to us at all.

 

Fusume: {Confident} It's worth a shot. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Come on Hayato-kun, please say yes! Please please please please pleaaaaaase!

 

Hayato: I'll do it.

 

Jessie: {Excited} YAY!

 

Boy do I like it when people scream. 

 

Fusume: {Content} Thank You Hayato… we'll be right here. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} And please, don't feel like we're pressuring you… the odds aren't in our favour here, but we have to try something. 

 

Hayato: Fair enough… I'll do my best. 

 

Am I really better at this than Fusume and Jessie? I would intuitively say no considering that, you know, I'm not the best at social interactions… 

 

But they're right… I did manage to somewhat calm him down before the trial… I'm sure he's in much greater pain right now than he was then but I owe it to him to try. 

 

Huh… here goes nothing.

 

{Examine Shinto's door}

 

*Knock Knock*

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a)



No answer… obviously. Guess I'd better start monologuing. 

 

Hayato: Hey Shinto, it's me… uh… Hayato, your classmate. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I'm not sure that precision was necessary Hayato-kun!

 

Hayato: Hey, shh back there. Let me do my thing. 

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Sorry Sigmund… please do enlighten us with your masterful communication skills!

 

At least I know the public is supportive… 

 

Hayato: Ahem, as I was saying, I wanted to check up on you… 

 

Hayato: I know that right now is terribly hard… and that the one thing you want is for us to leave you alone… but I'm afraid that we simply can't do that.

 

Hayato: I'm pretty sure you can hear me… so please, listen to what I've got to say. 

 

Hayato: As much as you just want to stay by yourself… isolation isn't the way to go here. 

 

Hayato: We don't know what you're going through, sure… we cant possibly imagine your pain, that's a given… but we can try. And trust me when I say this… isolating yourself in times like these won't do you any good. 

 

Hayato: If you just stay locked in your room for the forseeable future, you won't ever get out of this awful… awful period. It might not look like there's a way out of it but there is… 

 

Hayato: You need time to mourn, I get it… but if you just stay by yourself and let the guilt and the sorrow consume you… then you definitely won't overcome the pain… I'm sorry for being blunt but that's the truth. 

 

Hayato: We want you to get through this… trust me, I swear we all do. It hurts me like hell to see my friend in such a state. 

 

Hayato: But seriously… if you want to get better then you need to let us try to help… even if it's at your own pace, you've got to try and come back to us. 

 

 

Hayato: Please Shinto… I beg you… don't let yourself drown in this. Let us help… and rejoin the group. 

 

 

 

 

Jessie: {Wiping tears} That was… bellissimo… 

 

Fusume: {Content} I think we did well to ask for your assistance, hopefully that got to him-

 

*Click*

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Huh?

 

I think that was the lock! 

 

 

Slowly, the door opened up just enough for Shinto's face to peak out. 

 

Shinto: Come in… just you. 

 

Hayato: A-Alright!

 

I turned around to see the girls nod their head in approval and made my way inside Shinto's room. 

 

 

I walked in, his room was surprisingly well kept. 

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} Herbal?

 

It took me a second but I quickly realised that he was pointing at a kettle he'd just boiled

 

Hayato: Y-Yes please!

 

For once in my life that I'm not ridiculed for my love of herbal tea. I suppose this is part of why the two of us are friends. 

 

 

He handed me a mug and sat on the edge of his bed. It seemed a bit awkward for me to just stand there so I hopped on his desk and took a seat there. 

 

Hayato: Thanks… for letting me in. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} It just feels so surreal… 

 

Huh?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Like it's just some awful dream that I'm eventually gonna wake up from… 

 

Shinto: {Livid} But no… she's really dead. 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} It already felt impossible for me to imagine life without her… but now… knowing that I'm the one who killed her. 

 

Hayato: H-Hey! Monokuma killed her, and he's been punished accordingly!

 

Shinto: {Sad smile} Come on Hayato… we both know that his execution was just a technicality. I killed her. 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} The facts remain that if I hadn't stabbed her she wouldn't have died… Monokuma changing the water level doesn't really change anything. 

 

Hayato: Do you really think that?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} It's logical… if I hadn't stabbed Tadao's body and Monokuma had done his part, nothing would have happened. However, if I'd done my bit and Monokuma hadn't touched the water level… she'd still be dead. 

 

Shinto: {Livid} I'm the sine qua none condition of her death… I'm her true killer and that's a fact. 

 

I… I don't know what to answer to that. What he's saying is true. 

 

Shinto: {Sad smile} You don't need to try to find a counterargument… we both know that I'm right. 

 

Shinto…

 

Hayato: Well… I'm glad you accepted to talk to me… we're all really worried for you. 

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} I heard your speech… thanks for that, it means a lot. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I've had a lot of time to think… at first, I was angry at the fact that I wasn't the one who'd been executed… 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} After all… what was the point of me living if she was gone, I have nothing to live for… and now I must live with the guilt of knowing that my only source of happiness was taken from me… by me. 

 

Shinto: {Sad smile} It might sound selfish… but I think I'd be feeling a lot better if I had someone to blame other than myself. 

 

Hayato: But you do! At the end of the day, this wasn't really your fault. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Again with that? 

 

Hayato: I'm not saying it wasn't your doing… I know it's useless to try to sugarcoat things. But I still think that you're not to blame. 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} What… what are you talking about? 

 

Hayato: Two things… firstly, this was all an accident, you never meant to harm her, quite the contrary, you were trying to save her!

 

Shinto: I know that! But what does that change!?

 

Hayato: Secondly… the ones we should blame is Monokuma and the mastermind, not just for Yoko's death but for all the others too.  

 

Shinto: {Looks down} The… mastermind?

 

Hayato: If we take your logic then you could say that if we hadn't been locked in this resort and forced into a killing game then none of this would have happened! 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} I… guess so. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Still… that doesn't change the fact that it's my fault!

 

I won't change his mind will I?

 

 

Hayato: I'm sorry Shinto, I'm not sure what to say. I just can't bear to see you this sad. 

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} Sad… i'm not even sad… I just don't think I can feel anything anymore… nothing but emptiness. 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} It's like there's a hole in my heart… a hole that tells me everyday that I'll never really feel joy again… that I won't live without a single second without remembering what I've done… how I've ruined my whole life… and how I've killed everything that mattered to me. 

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} It's like… I don't even have the strength to die… all I can do is accept the emptiness. 

 

That's… such a tragic way to see things. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I never learnt what the five stages of grief were so I can't really tell you where I'm at.

 

Shinto: I suppose I've outgrown the phase where I couldn't even speak… this morning, I genuinely thought I'd manage to say something to someone.

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} It's just seeing all of you, pitying me when you should be angry… I couldn't handle it.

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I heard what you said… I don't want to stay locked in here indefinitely… but what's the point in going out… when I have no reason to even live?

 

Again with that?

 

Hayato: Shinto… I'm sorry but I just can't agree with what you're saying!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} How so?

 

Hayato: I understand that you may feel empty and like you don't have anything to drive you… but that's simply not true!

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} What do you know about that? 

 

Hayato: I'm not in your shoes… but what I do know is that Yoko would never have wanted you to feel that way!

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} Y-Yoko… 

 

Hayato: You're right… Monokuma tampering with the water level didn't change much in the grand scheme of things but it should make one thing clear to you and that's that Yoko wanted you to live. 

 

Shinto: She… she did?

 

Hayato: Of course she did! She let herself be submerged by the water in order for you to make it through the trial! 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} That's… that's… 

 

Hayato: The truth is that she sacrificed herself for you… yes, you might have caused her death but despite that she put her everything in trying to save you. 

 

Hayato: That should be your reason to live Shinto! Do it for her!

 

Hayato: Make it through the killing game so that her death wasn't for nothing!

 

Shinto: {Livid} … 

 

 

That… might have been a bit harsh but he needs to hear it! He's got a reason to live and it's her!

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} You… you've given me a lot to think about. 

 

Hayato: I'm sorry if I'm saying some things that are hard for you to hear… but I think you just needed someone to tell you that… she died so that you'd make it out alive! And you need to make the best of that!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Please… don't appologise… I should be the one thanking you. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I'm going to need more time… I think you can understand that… but what you're saying is true. 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} The guilt I feel… nothing will make it go away… I'm going to need months… years to finally be okay with myself, to stop thinking that if I had simply not decided to play the hero she might still be here with me. 

 

Shinto: I will always have regrets… no doubts about it. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} But if I let myself die here… that would be disrespecting her memory. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I… I need to get out! And that won't happen if I just stay in my room all day.

 

Hayato: Yes! That's what I wanted to hear.

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} Just so you know… this doesn't mean that I'm ready to join you all for daily breakfast and just have a great old time… I'm still way to fragile for most interactions

 

Trust me… breakfast is far from a great old time with everything that's happened. 

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, stern expression} But… I'm going to try to get myself out there… as soon as I can. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I need to get out of this place… I need to live… for Yoko! 

 

I… I did it?

 

I obviously didn't expect him to be a-okay with just joining the group back immidiately… but I think this is a huge step in the right direction!

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} I think I'd like to go on tonight's dive… if that's still happening. 

 

Hayato: You do?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} As I've said… you've convinced me… if I want my life to start making some sense again… then my only purpose is to finally escape this hell. 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} I can't stand to just stay here aimlessly any long… I'll continue mourning but I'll make sure that I get out of here… and the best way to do that is through the submarine. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Which means I want to get on that ship and leave this place once and for all… 

 

Hayato: Oh… okay!

 

I can't say I expected such enthusiasm. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I'll show you Yoko… that I'm capable of surviving… I'll make it out alive… so that your sacrifice isn't for nothing. 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} And then… once I'm free, I'll have time to start trying to forgive myself.

 

Hayato: I'm… glad to hear that Shinto. I'll have a word with the others, I'm sure they'll be okay with you joining the crew tonight.

 

Shinto: {Sad smile} Good… thank you Hayato, truly. You've opened my eyes once again.

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} And now… I won't rest until I fulfill my destiny… I'll get out of here Yoko. I promise!

 

Hayato: Great!

 

Shinto: {Looks down} B-But first… I need to think things through.

 

Oh… talk about a sudden change in intensity.

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} If i want my full focus to be on escaping… I need to turn the page on what happened for a while… which means I'm going to need a little more time by myself to make sure I know what I'm doing. 

 

Hayato: That… sounds reasonable. I'll see you tonight then!

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, stern expression} You will… I'll give my everything… I promise!

 

 

And on that note of optimism, I finished my cup of tea and decided to head back to the hallway, the girls probably want to know what happened in there. 

 

 

*SLAM*

 

As soon as I opened the door, I heard the noise from some sort of collision, worried about what might have caused such a sound I hurried out of the room and saw...

 

{Both Fusume and Jessie are on the floor, a hand on their head}

 

Jessie: Owies… was that… la porte?

 

Fusume: Hnngh… how… did this catch me by surprise?

 

Hayato: Girls… what happened? Why were you standing so close to the door…

 

Wait…

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: Were you two eavesdropping on our conversation?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Yes… I mean no! I mean uh… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hey, you can't blame us from wanting to hear how Shinto-kun was holding up! We haven't talked to him in days you know!

 

Hayato: I'm not blaming you at all! I'm just slightly… surprised.

 

I still can't believe they didn't hear me go for the door, I hit the both of them in one clean sweep. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Ahem… putting that little accident behind us… I think that both Jessie and I can say that we're very impressed with you Hayato. 

 

Hayato: You are?

 

Jessie: {Excited} Of course we are! What you said was super thoughtful and it seems to have worked! Shinto-kun might be coming back to us soon!

 

Fusume: {Confident} His urge to find a way out of the resort is understandble… and with that drive it might encourage the rest of us to give this motive our all. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} He… kinda went from one extreme to another but I'm glad that he's not so much in the dumps any longer. 

 

Jessie: {Excited} That passion in his voice… I really liked hearing that!

 

Hayato: I'm happy I could help. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} As you should be. 

 

Damn… compliments from Fusume mean a lot so I think I'll savour that one.

 

 

Surprisingly content with how this all went, the three of us decided to eat lunch together before going our seperate ways. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato's room}

 

I'm actually quite proud… Shinto seems to be getting better… obviously it's not like he's over what happened, but I guess what I told him made him realise that he shouldn't prioritize his grief. 

 

He should realise that he's alive thanks to Yoko and that the best way to thank her is to make it out of this place alive…

 

I'm excited to see how he does in tonight's dive… his enthusiasm is certainly needed considering my uncertainty when it comes to the motive as a whole. 

 

Maybe he'll be the one to figure out the ship's secret, who knows. 

 

 

I think I still have some free time before tonight… I should make the most of it. 

 

{Free time start}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdSYNKNagU)

 

{Exit Black Building}

 

{Move to Beach}

 

{Raiko is here} 

 

{Talk to Raiko} 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} What are you doing here? If you're hoping for me to give you information you'd better give up… it won't happen. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} On the other hand… if you just want to hang out… then I guess you could stay. 

 

Do I really want to spend time with Raiko?

 

{Yes/No}

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I see… then let's enjoy this nice weather, while we still can. 

 

 

I spent the afternoon relaxing on the beach with Raiko… I'm not sure what went through my head when I invited her to hang out but it turned out being much more pleasant than I expected. 

 

All the other times I spent some one on one time with her, it was because Reijiro and Fusume wanted me to monitor her, this is essentially the first time I do voluntarily… and surprisingly enough, we just talked like normal human beings without anything being weird or ominous.

 

Despite all the appearances… Raiko's still just a teenager, like the rest of us, maybe it was time for somebody to notice

 

In the beach's sunlight, with the gentle wind against her hair… the girl I'd always associated with evil somhow looked… beautiful. 

 


Ach! What am I saying? I can't feel this sort of way towards Raiko of all people!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Hm… let me rack that brain of yours Hayato… I want to ask you something. 

 

Hayato: Okay… shoot. 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Why do you think lies are seen in such a negative light? 

 

Hayato: Lies? 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Well yes, people always see someone lying to them as some sort of crime… I just don't get that.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} "Oh my god, you lied to me, I'll never forgive you!" That's probably one of the main motives for ending a relationship, wether it be with a friend, a family member… a loved one. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I wonder what your take is on the matter. 

 

She wants my take on lies as a general concept? She seems to have her mind made up on that subject. 

 

Hayato: Well… sorry to disappoint you but I'd have to agree with those who say that lies are immoral. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} You would…? I see. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Care to back that position?

 

Hayato: I mean, it's pretty simple. When somebody gives your their trust, that's quite a privilege. 

 

Hayato: A lot of people find it difficult to really have really faith in someone… it's like a real leap to be taken.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I suppose you speak from experience. 

 

Hayato: Well, yes. I myself also find it hard to be completely open to people I don't fully trust… so if I decide to take that leap of faith and somebody betrays that trust… obviously, I'm going to be mad about it. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You say "betray", but how is a lie the same as a betrayal?

 

Hayato: When you lie to someone… you take all that trust and just put it in the bin… for me that's exactly like betraying someone. 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I see… thank you for giving me your point of you… which as you might expect, I very much disagree with. 

 

Of course. 

 

Hayato: Go ahead then, explain to me how it's not a bad thing to lie? 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} …

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Christmas is a lie. 

 

Hayato: Huh?

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} Everybody's favorite holiday is literally based on a lie! Sorry to break it to you but there is no such thing as a bearded man who flies in the sky to bring presents to children!

 

Hayato: Of course not but-

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} In a "lie-free" society, you'd just wake up your kids on christmas day to tell them that magic doesn't exist and that the reason they've gotten gifts is thanks to capitalism!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} How is a child supposed to dream if you expose them to the harsh realities of life from a young age?

 

Raiko: Isn't letting them believe in Santa Claus just another lie?

 

Hayato: Well, yes but it's very different then the type of lie we were talking about just then?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} Is it really though? Young children put their "trust" in you for you to teach them how the world works… even if it's subcounscious, isn't the process the same?

 

Hayato: Not really…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Well I beg to differ… of course, you're right, some lies can have terrible consequences on a relationship. Those are selfish lies that have no real reason for existing other than to protect oneself.

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} But that's not the type of lie I'm talking about, that's just mediocre dishonesty… a real, good lie's purpose is to protect others.

 

It is?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Wake up Hayato! We live in a dark world… and trust me, most times a little bit of deception can do a lot of good. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Can you really say that the harsh realities of life are much easier to handle than a little white lie?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} It would be impossible to remain optimistic in a "lie free" society… I can garantee it!  

 

Raiko: {Heart with hands} So, did I convince you?

 

Hayato: I wouldn't say that you've convinced me… but I see where you're coming from, you've given me food for though.


Raiko: {Bites lip} Most people would have called me insane for my beliefs… but you didn't.  

 

Raiko: {Evil smlie} You're open-minded Hayato… that's what I like about you... 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Other than the fact that you aren't a complete moron… unlike most of our classmates

 

 

We continued talking about about Raiko's different convictions for hours. I can't say that I agree with everything she said, but she has a way with words and arguments that makes it almost impossible not to be somwhat convinced. 

 

Considering that the last time we hung out, she told me she'd never wanted to see me again… I'm pretty happy with calling this a success. 

 

As long as we don't mention her past… Raiko's actually quite an agreeable person to talk to… 

 

Guess you really shouldn't judge a book by it's cover… and in Raiko's case by the first few chapters. 

 

I definitely understand her a bit better. 

 

{Raiko's report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

When the sun finally started to set, Raiko and I decided it was best to head back indoors for the time being. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato's room} 

 

 

 

 

It's time, we're going to try our second dive tonight. 

 

Even though I really don't wanna go back in that submarine after what happened yesterday… we are all encouraged by the promise of a useful reward if we were to figure ou the ship's "secret" whatever that is. 

 

Honestly, considering that only five people will get to board… I'll probably sit this one out to leave some space for those who didn't get a chance yesterday.

 

Either way, I should head to the blue building to meet with the others and see what their plan of action is.

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 1st Floor}

 

{Everybody but Raiko seems to be here}

 

Jessie: {Excited} Shinto-kun! You came!

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Yeah… but I'll have you know that I'm not here to partake in aimless banter… I have one goal in mind and that's getting the hell out of here. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} That's great to hear Shinto! Welcome back!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Trust me when I say this, escaping the resort is our main priority… for all of us. 

 

Shinto: {Determined, points with cane} That's… good to hear. Now let's get to business! That's what I came to do!

 

Looks like he's still as passionate as he was this morning… I'm glad to see he managed to put his feelings aside like we talked about. This must be terribly tough for him, but it's better for everyone this way. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I believe that we may begin. 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtul expression} Are we n-not w-waiting for R-Raiko?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} She ain't gonna come… that much's a given. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} She'll probably just come down here later and dive by herself… that seems to be workin' better for her. 

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} That does seem likely… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Whatever, what Raiko does is her own business. We don't need to worry about her right now. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} What we do need to take into consideration is tonight's roster. There are nine of us here and only five spots on the ship. 

 

Shinto: {Determined, points with cane} I'd like to request a spot… if I am to escape, then I must be on that submarine dive!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses}  Sounds fair… priority should be put on those who stayed on land yesterday. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Great! I can't wait!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Hopefully nobody's taking my spot last minute again tonight!

 

Fusume: {Confident} If nobody's got any objections, I believe this means that Hikari and Shinto should be a guarenteed a place in tonight's dive. 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip, inquisitive} Anybody else would like to step forward?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I… I know I should get priority and whatnot man…

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} But that thing scares me… I… I'm way too claustrophobic to step foot in that submarine!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I think I'll sit this one out.

 

Hikari: {Smiles} That's okay Kôzuke! You shouldn't feel bad about it!

 

Oriana: {Bites lip, thoughtul expression} In that c-case… I'll also uh… d-decline… for s-similar reasons.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You're also scared huh?

 

Oriana: {Shocked} K-Kyaaah! How d-did you know?

 

Hm, yes… an expert deduction. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} While we're at it… I guess I'll also skip this one fellas… I've got other business to attend to. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Other… business?

 

Kenji turned to me and gave me a confident look… He's aware that I'm the only one who knows where he's going… let's hope he finds something useful in Station A. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} B-But… Kenji, aren't you the expert navigator here?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Aw, c'mon… I'm sure Reijiro and Fusume are perfectly capable of navigating the damn thing. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Everything's labelled… you'll figure it all out, I'm sure… and you saw me yesterday, you'll be fine. 

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} Just always keep both hands on the helm and you'll be fine. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Both hands on the helm… got it! I'm sure we'll be fine. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Assuming that both Reijiro and myself will also board the ship… there's one spot left… Jessie and Hayato… it's between the two of you. 

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} I'm okay whatever the outcome… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But I've got to say I am quite curious to see what it's like inside the submarine. 

 

Hayato: If that's what you want then go Jessie. I'm fine with staying behind this time. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hayato-kun… are you sure?

 

Hayato: I'm certain… go ahead, as Fusume said, you've got the priority over me anyway.

 

Jessie: {Excited} Tas ir lieliski! I'll do my best everyone! Let's do this!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hayato… you're definitely not coming are you?

 

Hayato: No… I'm happy with leaving my spot to Jessie, don't worry about me. 

 

Fusume: {Content} Very well… I shall see you soon. 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Mmph… enough with the small talk, everyone on the crew, let us go get changed. The rest of you may dispose of your evening how you see fit. 

 

Oriana: {Pumped up} G-Good luck everyone!

 

Jessie: {Excited} Don't worry about us Oriana-chan! We'll be just fine!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Yes! This will definitely be a very enriching experience. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} As long as we all act profesisonally and with serious… there is no more room for failure. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} We must work as a team… that's what we were missing last night. 

 

Shinto: {Sad, points at cast} Yoko… I'll make you proud, I promise!

 

 

*Bing bong bing bong*

 

The five of them opened the "Jules Vernes" door and we saw them disappear into the darkness of the dimly lit staircase, leaving Kenji, Kôzuke, Oriana and myself. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} …

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} …

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I think… I'm going to go and see how they do in the computer lab! {Leaves} 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-W-Wait for me! Kôzuke! {Leaves} 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Heh… once again he runs away from me… typical. 

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} You know where to find me. {Leaves} 

 

 

And now I'm left alone here. 

 

I've got a choice on my hands here… I can either go and follow the dive with Kôzuke and Oriana or go and see how far Kenji's gotten with his research.

 

I wonder… which of the two choices would be more useful?

 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 2nd floor} 

 

{Move to Station A} 

 

{Scene opens, station A has become a complete mess. Books are messily arranged in piles all over the floor with loose pages of paper also spread out all around the room. Kenji is here} 

 

Jeez… did a hurricane pass through here!? This place's an absolute mess.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Huh… you came. I'm afraid I don't have much to tell you about. 

 

Hayato: You… you don't? 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Nah… I've spent my entire day in this fucking place and I haven't found dogshit. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} No more highlighted words… no more nothing. Not a single thing that could be useful to us. 

 

Really…?

 

Hayato: Was there seriously nothing of interest in those books?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} I mean… the book themselves were interesting… but no, there wasn't anything that resembled a clue… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: One highlighted word… in every single book which shares initials with Hope’s Peak…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} ”Fire”, “one”, “the”, “of”, “you”, “treacherous”… that doesn’t mean anything.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} When you say it like that it doesn’t… but if you put them back in the correct order, then you get…

 

Hayato: “The treacherous fire, one of you”.

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Correct… what an ominous phrase wouldn’t you say?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} A treacherous fire…? What the hell does that mean?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I have no idea, but if someone took the time and effort to highlight those books, it must be for a reason!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: The treacherous fire, one of you… do we still have no clue as to what it could mean?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Nope… and it's really starting to piss me off. I don't know where to look! There are hundreds of fucking books in this place, it's like looking for a needle in a big fucking haystack

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} It feels impossible… I can't be fucked with this anymore. 

 

Hayato: I… I can understand that. It must be really frustrating. 

 

Hayato: Honestly… you might as well stop, maybe that's all there is to find-

 

Kenji: {Furious} Fuck no!!!

 

Hayato: A-AH!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} It feels impossible… but it's not… if Raiko found something, it means that it's possible to find more stuff here!

 

Kenji: {Furious} That bitch… isn't fucking better than me. I won't… accept defeat.

 

Hayato: Are you sure you want to continue down that path…? It might be a dead end after all…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Who gives a fuck…  it's not like I have anything better to do. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I… have no other purpose here… that's why I can't fucking fail!

 

Again with that… he really feels like this is the only way he's going to make himself useful huh?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Sorry if that sounds blunt bro… I'm just on edge here… I wanna prove to the rest of them that I'm not just a fucking idiot who gets into arguments with everyone.

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} I think I've reached my limit. 

 

… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Ahem, if that's all… I think I'll get back to it. You're welcome to stay here if you wanna help… the pile over over there are the books I haven't gotten to yet. Just try not to bother me ayt?

 

Hayato: Okay Kenji… good luck.

 

Kenji: {Mumbles} I… don't need luck!

 

 

 

I agreed to Kenji's terms and spent some time flipping through some books, trying to find something… anything that felt like a clue. 

 

Nothing. 

 

After, only half an hour or so I already wanted to give up… this feels utterly pointless. 

 

Maybe there simply isn't anything else to find in here… but If Kenji wants to persevere then I guess I'll leave that task to him. 

 

 

I've wasted enough time in here… I should go to the computer lab and see how the dive's going. 

 

I waved good night at Kenji and left him to his work. 

 

One must imagine Sysyphus happy… I suppose. 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 2nd Floor} 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{Move to Computer lab} 

 

{Scene opens on the Computer lab, Kôzuke and Oriana's eyes seem fixated on a computer screen}

 

Hayato: Hey guys.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Hayato… man…! 

 

Oriana: {Cries} You've come t-too late!

 

Hayato: Too late… what are you talking about?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} They… they've given up already. 

 

Hayato: What!? 

 

Already? But it hasn't even been that long? What the heck happened?

 

Hayato: Was there another argument or something?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} N-No… none of that… it was all going pretty well…

 

Hayato: Then what?

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} They uh… qu-quickly noticed that th-they were lost. The m-map didn't help and th-their coordinates d-didn't make sense t-to uh… Reijiro. 

 

Oriana: Th-They tried continuing onwards b-before deciding that it w-was all uh… p-pointless. 

 

Pointless?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} We don't have the faintest idea of where we're supposed to go with that thing… these submarine dives are literally just us blindly moving forward while hoping we'll reach something. 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} After realising that they were lost, they got demotivated and decided to call it a night. 

 

Hayato: I see… so where are they now?

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} It seems that the uh… safety string is c-currently pulling them back towards the dock. They'll be back any m-minute now. 

 

Hayato: So it's really over… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} It's over f-for tonight at least man. They'll try again tomorrow… but I think it's not gonna change. 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} There really is no way out of here!

 

Kôzuke: We're… we're gonna be stuck in this damn place… forever! 

 

Hayato: You… you can't be thinking like that Kôzuke!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-But is he wrong?

 

Her too?

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughful expression} W-We can just tr-try again and uh… again every s-single night… but isn't that j-just a huge w-waste of time and energy?

 

Oriana: {Cries} I d-don't know where we go from h-here!!!

 

 

{Screen fades to black}

 

I don't think there's anything I can say to lift their morale… namely because I'm also feeling pretty crushed by the news. 

 

It's not like I expected them to escape tonight… but at least something… anything to prove to us that there's a point to it all. 

 

If this continues… even the bravest among us will start losing hope… we need something to change… and we need it now. 

 

 

When I emerged from my thoughts, I realised that both Kôzuke and Oriana were gone,  leaving me face to face with the dark screen of the lab's computers. 

 

What's the point… of all this? 

 

Right now… there's only one thing I want to do. Sleep and get away from all this. 

 

 

There's no point in staying here. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato's room} 

 

 

 

 

I don't want to think about all this anymore… I just want it to stop… 

 

Pushed by that desire, I fell asleep very quickly.

 

 

Kurozo Theater

 

Kurozo: So… apparently I'm contractually obligated to partake in this stupid segment… 

 

Kurozo: I make the rules here… but it appears I've got no choice… so, ladies and gentlemen, feast your eyes on this:

 

Kurozo: Kurozo's silent film reintrepreation of Hamlet!

 

Kurozo: … 

 

Kurozo: … 

 

Kurozo: … 

 

Kurozo: … 

 

Kurozo: … 

 

Kurozo: … 

 

Kurozo: Beautiful… wasn't it?

Notes:

Tensions are high, and Hayato's losing hope! Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
As you might guess from the usual trend, this is the final part before something terible happens, which means it's your last chance to guess who's biting the bullet. Leave your predictions in the comments or in the discord server if you want to discuss them with other readers!
It's also our last chance to hang out with certain students so make sure to cast your vote : https://www.strawpoll.me/19529780
Thanks for reading, I'm excited for the next one to come out so stay posted for that!

Chapter 45: Chapter 4 : 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea : Daily life part 5

Notes:

We're back for the final part of Chapter Four's Daily life! Let's see how badly this can go.

Today's FTEs go to Raiko and Shinto!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{TV screen lights up, Monokuma’s usual jacuzzi has been replaced with a leather armchair which Kurozo is sitting on}

 

Kurozo: Good morning students, I hope that all is well. The time is 8:00 AM which means that night time is officially over.

 

Kurozo: I wish you all a productive day in the resort!

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdSYNKNagU )

 

 

*Sigh* Sleep was nice while it lasted…

 

I’m just so done with everything… I know it sounds like a childish thing to say but I think that I’m slowly reaching my breaking point.

 

Kurozo’s motive… in all fairness, I think I’ve rarely been this frustrated…

 

It feels like we’re so close to freedom, and even closer to the rewards he promised us… but we can’t get to it, no matter how hard we try.

 

This whole thing feels so pointless… and it’s really starting to drain my energy.

 

What’s the point of trying? Shouldn’t we just accept our fate?

 

 

It’s the second day in a row that I wake up in such a mood… I guess I should get used to it.

 

And as yesterday has taught me, I’ll have to get out of bed eventually before I starve myself to death.

 

I have no choice but to get to the restaurant.

 

Seems like hunger really is the mother of anarchy.

 

 

Heh… killing game or not, I’m still a nerd.

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Talk to Kenji} 

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} Ghhn…

 

Uh oh… he doesn’t look like he’s in a good mood. Maybe I should just back off-

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} What do you want?

 

Hayato: M-Me?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah you… I can see you eyeing me. Sup?

 

Hayato: Oh uh… nothing, I guess I just wanted to ask you if you’d found anything since I left you last night.

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} Nah… I basically stayed up all night for nothing.

 

Kenji: I’m not even sure if what I’m doing’s useful anymore…

 

Kenji: {Yawns} Ah… guess the tiredness is starting to be felt.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Something tells me this day is gonna be fucking shit.

 

Hayato: I’m… sorry you feel that way.

 

Kenji: {Pinches bridge of his nose} Should I give up… I can’t can I?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I won’t fucking let her beat me… not again.

 

 

{Talk to Hikari} 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Good morning Hayato!

 

Hayato: Hey…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Again with the long face Hayato?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} You should tackle every day with a positive attitude, that’s how you’ll get stuff done!

 

Hayato: I know, I know… I guess it’s just hard to stay optimistic when nothing’s really gone well at all recently.

 

Hikari: {Sad} That’s… fair enough but uh… I’m sure there’s something you can look forward to!

 

Hayato: Yeah, like what?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Well, I’m still working on getting everybody’s clothes through the laundry! That means you’ll have a fresh outfit in front of your door soon enough!

 

Hikari: That’s something to be excited about right?

 

Laundry really is the solution to everything for her huh?

 

Hayato: How’s that been going for you? Not too much work?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Well… it is, but it’s worth it! I’m hopeful that such a small gesture might still bring a smile onto everyone’s face!

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Even though… people have really decided to give me every single thing they owned, that much didn’t lighten my workload.

 

Hayato: What are you talking about?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} It’s not surprising, but everybody jumped at the opportunity to wash the items that Monokuma wouldn’t clean usually… Oriana’s ribbon, Kenji’s goggles… even Kôzuke’s toy cars!

 

Hayato: Wait, Kôzuke asked you to put his toys in the washing machine?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Yeah… go figure. Apparently, it’s a habit from back home.

 

Either I’m very old and I know nothing about toys… or that’s just a very pointless thing to do.

 

No matter… we should all be thankful for Hikari’s work and dedication… she’s acting as selfless as ever…

 

Let’s hope that the others show appreciation for her hard work.

 

{Move to Black Building - 2nd Floor}

 

{Move to Restaurant} 

 

{Scene opens on restaurant, the entire group is present} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} It appears that we are finally all here.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} All of us?

 

Shinto: {Livid} …

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} …

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} What the hell are you looking at!?

 

Eep! She startled me…

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up with smile} It’s great of you to join us Raiko-chan!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} It’s uh… kinda nice to finally have the whole group present… for once.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Moreover… I believe you may have valuable information for us.

 

Oriana: V-Valuable… information?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Raiko’s already figured something out!

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Bingo.

 

Oriana: {Hypeverventilates} N-N-No way!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Raiko-chan’s got it figured out? Already?

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} She doesn’t have the full picture yet… that much would be too easy.

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} But she’s on the right track… which is why she’s been rewarded as an encouragement of sorts!

 

She figured out that the submarine had a secret…? Before he even announced it!

 

Is that what she was talking about earlier?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Did you say that she has been “rewarded”?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Of course… such smart thinking deserves to recognised.

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Raiko understood the situation without any guidance from my part… truly impressive if you ask me.

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Sorry but… what kind of reward are we talking about?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} As this is only our first prize ever, the reward is nothing to write home about…

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} Mrs Itake was rewarded with a masterkey to the blue building!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} 

 

Raiko: {Spins key around finger} Oh, you talking about this puppy?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Is this… what I think it is?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} The masterkey… correct.

 

Raiko: {Spins key around finger} This is my reward… apparently.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Apparently…?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} I am yet to find a real use for it… it doesn’t actually open any new doors. Seems pointless if you ask me.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You really… believe that?

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Well… obviously. What’s the point of a key that doesn’t open anything?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I mean sure… I could use it to close some doors in the blue building from the outside… but what do I gain from that?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That would create chaos… is that not what you seek?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} No… of course not.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} It’s n-not…? But… what about all those things you did…?

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a) 

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} You really don’t understand anything do you?

 

What…?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Am I really such a monster in your eyes?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} You think that all I did… was just to creat mayhem?

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} Just for my personal enjoyment…?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Isn’t that kinda what you told us… back then?

 

{Flashback} 

 

She had it planned… all of it?

 

Hayato: Did you want us to accuse you?

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} Hehehehe, you got me! I would have had no fun if I wasn’t involved at all !

 

Raiko: {Cheeky} So I involved myself! And you all thought I was the killer! Better than that, you all thought that you had me cornered!

 

Reijiro: You are… truly demented…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} No Reijiro… that’s not true… you’re just mad because you realised that I played all of you.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Kôzuke: {Obejction stance} You said… that you did it because it was fun… back during Fukami’s trial.

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} That’s right! You made your motivations very clear!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} That was… so long ago.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Are you fucking kidding me!? You really think that’s an excuse?

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} My mentality… isn’t the same anymore…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Aw… is that so? Well tough luck bitch. Your word doesn’t mean shit to us.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} K-Kenji-kun!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} You don’t… understand.

 

Kenji: {Furious} No! You’re the one who doesn’t understand! You’d better take your lying, scheming ass and get the fuck away from us.

 

Raiko: {Closes umbrella on face} Nghh!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Everybody, let’s calm down here! Please!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} I came here… to help!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I have information remember!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} And you think we’re going to believe you… it’s too late for that!

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} All I did… I did it to survive…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} At this point… who cares why you did it?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} All I know is that without you… Kyia, Fukami, Rina and Yoshi would still be there!

 

Kenji: {Furious} That’s reason enough for me to hate you… with all my being!

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} Ggh…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Kenji, please!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Enough!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} What do you want!?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Now is not the time… to be so aggressive!?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} She has come to us… with an olive branch… and I believe we should accept it.

 

Kenji: {Furious} WHAT!?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} You want… to make peace with her? After everything that she’s fucking done to us!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Do not… be a fool!

 

Kenji: {Furious} The fuck’d you say to me!?

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} I… please, listen to me.

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Reijiro… you can stick that olive branch up your ass! And You Raiko… you’d better stay away from all of us…

 

Kenji: {Demented frown, points with finger} Next time you show your ugly face around here… I’ll beat the shit out of you… I swear that on my fucking life!

 

Oriana: {Cries} …

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} I w-wanted… to h-help…

 

Raiko: {Grimace} With my knowledge… you all had a chance to escape…

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} B-But… suit yourselves. {Leaves} 

 

 

That… was something.

 

Jessie: {Tearing up} Kenji-kun… what’d you do that for?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Th-That information… c-could have been… really uh… i-important… right?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} … What a mess.

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Oh so… I’m the bad guy here?

 

Kenji: {Demented frown, points with finger} Don’t tell me… you’re taking her side here…

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Nobody’s taking sides Kenji… but there was no need to be that aggressive, especially considering she came here to make peace.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Make peace!? You really wanna make peace with her after everything!?

 

Kenji: {Demented frown, points with finger} She killed four of us, god fucking dammit!

 

Kenji: She’s the enemy here! Not me!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} And yet… all wars end with peace, eventually.

 

Kenji: {Furious} Grrr… That’s not how this works!

 

Kenji: {Demented frown, points with finger} This is the type of war… where the enemy’s got to surrender… I won’t accept peace any other fucking way.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} But… what she just did… wasn’t that essentially her surrendering to us?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} The info she wanted to give us… she could have kept it to herself.

 

Hikari: {Sad} I think… this was her swallowing her pride to show us that she was willing to work with us.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Well… that shit ain’t mutual… I’m never going to trust her like that!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You do realise that it’s most likely she would have lied to us in some way, shape or form…

 

Kenji: {Furious} Her goal was never to help us… that’s out of the fucking question.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} And how do you know that exactly?  

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Seriously… we’re talking about Raiko here!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} You lot… didn’t think she really wanted to work with us… did ya?

 

 

 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I can’t believe y’all… that’s ridiculous.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Sh-She… she really l-looked… uh… honest!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} At least… it wouldn’t have hurt to listened to her… 

 

Kôzuke: {Blood shot eyes} Kenji… wh-who are you to decide for us anyway?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What'd you say!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Didn't you hear her? What she found out about the submarine's secret… it could have helped us escape this place!

 

Kôzuke: {Blood shot eyes} And now… we've lost that information… and it's all because of you Kenji!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Because… of me!? 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's done with you making decisions for the rest of us man! 

 

Kôzuke: {Looking down} You can't keep going like this… s-seriously… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} You… you don't mean that! I'm not the fucking bad guy here!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I'll… I'll have to prove it to you… 

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} K-Kenji-kun! 

 

Kenji: {Furious} It's all… it's all her fucking fault! She's got you all wrapped around her finger… 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} That means… I've got to do something about that… so you finally realise who the vilain is. 

 

Kenji: {Demented frown, pointing finger} Yeah… that's right, I've got to do… something drastic. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} There's no reason she's the only one who can… do that… {Leaves} 

 

 

He ran off.

 

 

Well that was uh… ominous. 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11)

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You don't think that he means… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No… he wouldn't! 

 

Oriana: {Cries} …

 

Reijiro: {Pinches bridge of his nose} This… this is fine… surely he did not mean… what I think he meant.

 

Hayato: R-Right! There's no need to panic!

 

Jessie: {Sad} But g-guys… can we be sure that he won't do anything… that he might regret?

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} N-No!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Let's… stay calm here. Kenji's hot-headed but… he's no killer. 

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} With the number of time he threatened Raiko's life… is that really a fact?

 

Jessie: Sh-Shinto-kun?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What are you implying exactly? 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I'm not implying anything… you just shouldn't assume stuff like that.

 

Shinto: {Livid} You don't actually know who'll end up killing someone… that's a fact about this place. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Shinto…

 

I suppose he of all people should know about that… with how much he blames himself for what happened to Yoko. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} P-Please! Don't feel sorry for me. 

 

Shinto: {Grabs chest tightly, crazed expression} If you want to help me… then let's get the hell out of this place… please!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} That's what we've been trying to do Shinto… but these submarine dives… they simply haven't been successful.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And it's not due to a lack of trying… we're doing our best, we just don't know what we're supposed to do!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We're lost… and so what?

 

Oriana: {Shocked} Huh?

 

Shinto: {Determined, points with cane} That just means we've got to try harder! We can't let ourselves be discouraged just because it's tough… 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I know yesterday's dive was frustrating… but please! We can't give up!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We have to try again tonight… and do our best!

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} For Yoko… and for everyone else that we've lost…

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

We all agreed to keep on fighting for our freedom before going our separate ways. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato's room} 

 

I woke up feeling hopeless… and I won't lie, I still have little faith in the submarine motive… the more it goes, the more it feels like Kurozo's simply toying with us. 

 

And yet… seeing Shinto so desperate, I guess it really did motivate me. 

 

The truth is that he's right… we can't give up just yet. 

 

Even though we facing failure after failure, there's no merit in just stopping here. 

 

Despite how much I hate the idea of stepping foot in that submarine once more, we've got to do it… giving up would be an insult to our deceased friends!

 

 

Tonight's a big night then… still, I should find some way to pass the time until then. 

 

What should I do with my free time?

 

Free time start

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdSYNKNagU )

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 2nd Floor} 

 

{Move to Station B} 

 

{Raiko is here} 

 

{Talk to Raiko} 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} What do you want? Are you here… to insult me? 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} You're not…? But… everybody hates me… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Hmph… so be it, I suppose I can spend some time with you… if that's what you desire.

 

Do I want to spend time with Raiko? 

 

{Yes/No} 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I see… 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} You're lucky… I don't mind your presence too much. This could be enjoyable. 

 

 

 

 

I spent the morning discussing things with Raiko. I tried my best to cheer her up after this morning's humiliation but I feel like that didn't help… 

 

Despite how good she is at hiding her emotions… she definitely seemed shaken by the whole ordeal… and more that that, I could feel her anger towards Kenji… 

 

For maybe the first time since I'd met her… it was obvious how she felt. 

 

Among this atmosphere of emotional turmoil… I think we got closer. 

 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I consider myself smart. You know that right?

 

Huh?

 

Hayato: Y-Yeah… totally! 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} And yet… there's still something I can't figure out. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} I… I don't understand it. 

 

Something… that she doesn't understand?

 

Hayato: What is it? 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} You… Hayato Seiki. 

 

Hayato: M-Me!?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You're possibly the only person for whom my deduction skills have not worked. I can't read you Hayato… at all. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} At first, I judged you too quickly… I assumed you were just another one of those hopeful morons… the kind of person who believes that everybody always needs to work together in life and who can't fathom anything being achieved by a single individual. You know the type. 

 

So… Hikari basically. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} But I quickly realised that I had underestimated you… I suppose you're not as dumb as you look initially. 

 

Hayato: Thanks? 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} The way you lead the way in every trial… you're obviously very smart, that much quickly became apparent. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} But then… your actions simply make no sense anymore to me. 

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Are you a genius… or a moron!?

 

 

Hayato: Uh… is there a third option?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Not one that I can see. In trials, you always figure everything out… from my complex plots to accidents so convoluted that even I failed to understand at first. Only a select few have this ability…

 

Raiko: You've got so much potential… {Serious glare} so why are you being so damn stupid!

 

It felt too good to be true, she was obviously going to insult me at some point there… 

 

Hayato: Sorry… but what did I do exactly?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Why are you talking to me…? Why are you befriending me!? 

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} Why are you acting… like I'm not the enemy!?

 

That's her problem!?

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} If you trust me… it'll make it easier for me to stab you in the back! You know that right!?

 

Hayato: Of course, I know that Raiko… as you said, I am quite smart myself. 

 

Self ego boost, activated!

 

Raiko: {Angry} Then… then why!? Why are you being so stupid!? 

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} Or… or… am I the stupid one? Have you been playing me from the start!? What's… what's your plan here dammit!?

 

Hayato: You know what Raiko… I don't think that either of us are stupid.

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Do… do you want me to kill you!? Is that it?

 

Hayato: No… I don't. But deep down, I think that you understand why I'm doing all this… you just don't want to accept it. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} N-Nonsense! 

 

If she won't say it, I suppose I'll have to show her!

 

Hayato: Raiko… I'm spending all this time with you because…

 

  1. I am going to betray you
  2. I don't want you to kill me
  3. I want us to be friends

 

Raiko: {Closes umbrella under face} Ngh…!

 

Hayato: In spite of everything that you've done… the truth is that I really like spending time with you!

 

Raiko: {Grimace} That's a lie! You're lying!

 

Hayato: I'm not… you may disagree with me… but as I told you earlier, I hate lies… I wouldn't lie to my friend. 

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} F-Friend!?

 

Raiko: Why… why would you consider me your friend…?

 

Hayato: That's simple… you may want us all to think that you're evil… but I see past that. 

 

Hayato: All the things you did… you did them because you want to survive right? At the end of the day, you're scared of dying, just like the rest of us. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} That's… that's 

 

Hayato: But you've changed… haven't you? You realised that your best way of surviving isn't to antagonise us… didn't you?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} …

 

Hayato: That's why I want to be your friend Raiko… you're extremely smart, we all know it. 

 

Hayato: And even though until now, you've put that brilliance for chaos… I'd really like to see you using all that… for good. 

 

Hayato: With your help… I'm absolutely sure we'll get out of here eventually! 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} … 

 

Raiko: {Hides under umbrella} I-I can agree… with at least one thing you just said. 

 

Hayato: And what's that. 

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} That I'm extremely smart! That much's certain!

 

Obviously, that's what she picked up on. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} In all seriousness… I have to thank you. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} You might be the first person to have faith in me like that. 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I can't guarantee that I'll act the way you want me to… but I'll try to redeem myself… in some way. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I won't expect the rest of the group to accept me for who I am… 

 

Raiko: {Blushes} But now I know… that I can count on you… my friend. 

 

Raiko: {Giggles} For once, I think I'm the one who understands you a bit better… I think I finally know where you stand. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} When I talk to you… I'm not interacting with a fool who doesn't understand the risk I represent… nor to a genius who's trying to out-manipulate me. 

 

Raiko: {Honest smile} No… I'm talking to my equal… and my friend!

 

 

I am so happy to see how much Raiko has evolved over the weeks. 

 

I won't change her scheming personality… that much won't ever disappear… it's who she is. 

 

But I know how difficult her childhood was, with all the relentless bullying she's experience… I might be her first real friend… and that's okay with me. 

 

I might not be great with people but I think that I understand her… better than anybody else… and now she understands me just as well.

 

A real bond has been created here…and with a brain like hers by my side, I feel as confident as ever that we'll escape… eventually. 

 

 

Raiko and I have become really close friends. 

 

{Raiko's report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

I stay with Raiko for a few more hours before heading back to my room. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato's room}

 

 

 

 

I don't really have anything to do until tonight… I must stayed focused on the dive but I can't just stay here all afternoon. 

 

Looks like I have some more free time. 

 

{Free time starts} 

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Red Building - Entrance} 

 

{Move to Red Building - East Wing} 

 

{Move to Lounge} 

 

{Shinto is here} 

 

{Talk to Shinto} 

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} …

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Good afternooon… I have come here to rest before tonight… 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I need to be in the best shape possible if I want tonight's dive to be successful. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} You're welcome to join me… if you want. 

 

Do I want to spend time with Shinto?

 

{Yes/No}

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} …

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} H-Huh? Did you say something? 

 

 

I spent the afternoon with Shinto… in silence. 

 

I tried to make conversation but he just didn't seem into it at all. He just sad there, nervously. It looks like he's seriously stressing out about tonight's dive. 

 

My only option was to accept that he wasn't in the mood for small talk and embrace the silence for the time being. 

 

 

We sat together, without speaking for hours on end… and yet, it wasn't nearly as boring as I expected. 

 

I think that I really needed a break from everything… 

 

Shinto and I got a bit closer. 

 

 

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a)

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} …

 

Shinto: …

 

Shinto: … 

 

Shinto: {Looks down} Ahem… can I ask you something… Hayato?

 

Hayato: Yes, of course!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Why are you here… with me… while you could be with anybody else.

 

Shinto: {Combs hair into place} I'm definitely not the most entertaining person around at the moment. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Don't you want to go hang out with somebody else? 

 

Shinto: {Looks down} Maybe… that'd be a better use of your time. 

 

Hayato: No, Shinto. I'm happy right here with you. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Y-You are!? But… we haven't talked at all. It must be so dull for you to just sit here silently!

 

Hayato: It's fine, honestly… and I enjoy your company!

 

Shinto: {Looks down} You do…? Even though… I w-won't speak to you?

 

Hayato: Of course! And, you know… I completely understand that you want some peace and quiet… you're still mourning after all. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} …

 

Hayato: I'm perfectly fine with staying here quietly with you… but if you want to be left alone that's totally fine too. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} N-No! Stay with me…

 

That was… a pretty strong reaction.  

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I have… nobody else. 

 

Hayato: What!?

 

Shinto: {Livid} The worst about her being gone… is that I f-feel… so lonely. 

 

Shinto: {Ponts at cast, sad} I have no one to talk to… no one to spend my time with… no one at all!

 

Hayato: H-Hey! That's not true! You have all of us! We're your friends!

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} You must understand that… it isn't the same. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Y-You… you can't understand!

 

Shinto: {Livid} I used to spend every minute of every day with her… my entire revolved around her!

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} And now… sh-she's gone… and I won't ever see her again. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} No one… can fill the hole that she left in my heart!

 

Shinto: {Looks down} And me… I won't ever truly live again. 

 

Poor Shinto… he's right, I can't understand what he's going through… and the truth is that nothing that I say will suffice. 

 

But I can't just leave him like this can I?

 

Hayato: Shinto… I know that things won't ever be the same… but you're alive thanks to her… and that means that you need to live your life to the fullest for her!

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} I know that… I try… I try so hard… 

 

Shinto: {Tearing} But I can't do it. I can't live without her. 

 

Shinto: {Livid} She's all I know… I… I don't know how to live without her here with me! 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I… I don't expect you to understand me. 

 

Do I agree with that ?

 

  1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Well, yes but actually no

 

Hayato: I don't understand what you're going through no. But I can certainly understand what you're saying. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} R-Really!?

 

Hayato: What you're going through is absolutely tragic… and you're going to need time to mourn… 

 

Hayato: But you're also going to need to get used to this huge change… and I won't lie to you, it's going to be hard. 

 

Hayato: Shinto… the thing you must know is that it'll be so much harder if you tackle this challenge alone. 

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} …

 

Hayato: All of us… we're your friends! We obviously won't replace Yoko but if you're feeling lonely then come to me… come to all of us! Please!

 

Hayato: This is inevitably going to be hard for you… but if any of us can make it a bit easier to bare… then please, let us try!

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} …

 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I'll… consider it. Thank you Hayato. 

 

 

After that, neither of us said a word… I judged it best not to add anything. 

 

He needs time alone… but being alone is making him feel worse… If he's to get better then he must find a way to balance both things. 

 

Mourning's never easy… but if I can lift some of that weight off his shoulders… I think he might be better off. 

 

No matter what, Shinto needs a friend… and I'll be that friend if he lets me! 

 

I think that I understand him a bit better now.

 

{Shinto’s report card has been updated based on your experience with him}

 

I stayed by his side until the sun went down, when he muttered something about needing to get ready and left the lounge. 

 

In all fairness, I should probably do the same… we're meeting for tonight's dive pretty soon… I should go back to my room to prepare myself!

 

{Auto-move to Hayato's room} 

 

 

 

 

It's time… I should go and meet the others in front of the Jules Vernes staircase. 

 

{Auto-move to Blue Building}

 

{Scene opens in front of the staircase, Kôzuke, Kenji and Raiko are missing} 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… let us not waste any more time. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Y-You want to g-go down now? B-But… so many people are uh… m-missing!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Kenji and Raiko won't show up… and I ran into Kôzuke earlier, he said he didn't feel like coming. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I believe that he is still scared of entering the submarine. 

 

Can't say I blame him… I can't help but feel very claustrophobic when I step foot inside that ship… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Now… if there are no objections, then let us go.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But… Reijiro-kun! We haven't decided who tonight's submarine syndicate is!

 

Hayato: Submarine what now?

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Hey! I worked hard on that team name! 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Stupid language… it's like there are no words that start with s or something! 

 

What.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Ahem, moving on… Reijiro and I have decided that it would be wise to maximise our dives. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Maximise… the dives? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Correct… as there is no daily limit, we came to the conclusion it would be optimal to have two separate dives every night. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Not only is that more efficient, but it also means that everybody gets a chance to participate… and no one is left behind. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} We were hoping for all ten of us to show up tonight… it would have been easy to split us into two groups of five. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} But no matter… some people will simply dive twice. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} S-sorry but… are we g-good to go without K-Kenji? 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… despite yesterday's fiasco, I believe that we are now competent enough to navigate the submarine without him… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Experience makes us stronger… right? 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Well, if that's the case, I think the system's good! We don't want anybody to feel left behind do we!?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Und dich, Oriana-chan… are you going come with us!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I th-think so! It's uh… sc-scary but I'll g-give it a try!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Attagirl! I'm proud of you for trying!

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} I'll d-do my best for uh… e-everyone! 

 

Shinto: {Determined, points with cane} Th-Thank you all for coming! 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Shinto-kun?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We… we'll find a way! Freedom's close! I can feel it! 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} That's the spirit! If we all work together then… we just might make it

 

Fusume: {Confident} It appears that everything is sorted then… who wants to dive first? 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Mind you, Reijiro and I will likely dive twice since we both know how to maneuvre the submarine. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} That seems fair to me

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} I have no objections.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} If possible… I would also like to dive twice… the more attempts, the likelier it is that I succeed… and finally make Yoko proud. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Very well, that leaves Hikari, Jessie, Oriana and Hayato… two of you in each team. 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} I'll go in whichever team Oriana decides to go, I want to be there if she needs some comfort. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} It is a scary environment after all…

 

Oriana: {Shy look} I think I'd uh… like that. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… you two, any preference as far as order?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} If w-we can chose… I'd probably pr-prefer uh… g-going second. 

 

Oriana: {Pumped up} I'd uh… like t-to w-watch y-you g-guys once in o-order to g-get r-ready!

 

Jessie: {Excited} That means that Hayato-kun and I will go in the first dive! I can't wait! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Indeed… unless you have an objection, Hayato. 

 

Hayato: No, it's fine. 

 

I really don't mind what order I'm going in… in fact, first is probably a bit better, it means I can go to sleep quicker… and god knows I'm exhausted. 

 

Hayato: I'm down to go first. 

 

Fusume: {Content} Perfect! It appears that the teams have been set! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} We must not waste any more time. 

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} Members of team one, get ready at once! 

 

Team one… that's me. I should get going. 

 

{Examine Jules Vernes Staircase} 

 

Off we go. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Good luck everyone!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} B-Be careful out there… 

 

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

 

{Auto-move to Blue Building - Hangar} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Are well ready?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} As ready as I'll ever be. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Let us put our past failures behind us… tonight might be the one!

 

Jessie: {Excited} Alright! Submarine Syndicate… unite!

 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I'm still not sure about that name Jessie. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} A girl can dream! 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Enough banter… our mission awaits us. 

 

No time to waste here… I should get going. 

 

{Move to Submarine - Cabin} 

 

{Scene opens, Reijiro, Shinto, Fusume and Jessie are here} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Is everybody well equipped? 

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} My lifejacket's on! I'm good to go! 

 

Jessie: {Excited} Here Shinto-kun! Let me help you with yours!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} J-Jessie… I can handle myself!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} C'mon, don't be ashamed! let Mama Jessie handle it all!

 

Shinto: I'm… I'm older than you!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato… would you like to join Reijiro and I in the control room?

 

Hayato: Y-Yeah! Sure! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The control room can comfortably fit up to three people… that would imply leaving these two back here. 

 

Jessie: {Excited} That's totally fine! Shinto-kun and I can stay back here for the moment! Ain't that right Shinto-kun?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Can I not… make myself more useful?

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} At the moment, there isn't much for you to do, I won't lie. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Fine… I suppose I'll stay back here then!

 

Jessie: {Excited} Yay! We'll have tons of fun together Shinto-kun!

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up with smile} I learnt tons of fun facts about submarine to prepare myself of this! I'm sure to keep you entertained!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} *Gulp* S-Sure!

 

Poor… poor man. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I shall start with the undocking maneuvre. {Leaves} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Very well, Hayato-kun, join us in the control room when you're ready! {Leaves} 

 

I could go straight to the control center, but I guess I'll check on these two first. 

 

{Talk to Jessie} 

 

Jessie: {Excited} 세상에! We're moving! I think we're off dock! Isn't that great? 

 

Hayato: Uh… yes? 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} C'mon Hayato! Have a bit more enthusiasm. You're a very lucky boy! 

 

Please… oh please don't call me that. 

 

Jessie: It's true though, nobody our age has the privilege of going on such an adventure… this is exciting stuff, seriously. 

 

Hayato: You're right… I just wish the contexte was different. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Verum est… I can't argue with that. 

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up with smile} But hey! It's still pretty cool to me. 

 

Jessie: I know what will make you more enthusiastic! A fun fact! 

 

Oh yes… just what I needed. 

 

Jessie: {Searches through backpack} Which fact will appeal to you… hmm… what about this one!

 

Jessie: {Excited} Did you know that the biggest loss of life in a single submarine sinking was 1926 people!

 

Hayato: …

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} That's uh… pretty c-cool… right?

 

Hayato: Jessie… I'm not sure I share your notion of fun facts… 

 

Hayato: A-And hey! Why would that appeal to me!? 

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up} Hehe… I'm not sure you want to know. 

 

What image does she have of me seriously!?

 

{Talk to Shinto} 

 

Hayato: Hey, Shinto… how are you feeling?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Does it really matter?

 

Hayato: Uh… yes?

 

Shinto: {Hand on cast, sad} If you insist… I guess I feel nervous. I really want this to go well… I'll have to find a way to be useful, even from back here.

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} I don't want to just stay idle… it feels pointless… but if there's no alternative then I'll do it! 

 

Hayato: I'm sure you'll find something to do Shinto… if you want we can switch places at some point, I'm sure you'll like seeing what the control room's all about. 

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} I'd like that… thank you. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} For the moment… I'll just take the bullet myself and listen to Jessie's story… better me than the rest of you.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hey! I heard that!

 

I should leave them to it. 

 

{Move to Submarine - Control room} 

 

By the time I made it to the control room, we'd already made it under water. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hello there, Hayato. 

 

Hayato: Hey guys… everything good so far?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Affirmative! Reijiro's really getting the hang of how to navigate this ship… I don't really have to do anything.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… it really is not that complicated… as long as you keep both hands on the helms and press the labelled buttons when you need them… it'll do the trick. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} This system has of course been simplified from real submarines… I would have a lot more trouble if this was not the case. 

 

Hayato: I see… I'm glad to hear that you're in control.

 

Hayato: So, what do we do now exactly?

 

In other terms… are we as clueless as usual?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Take a look at this map.

 

{Close-up on a map of an island, a bunch of scribble in red pen have been added to it}

 

Fusume: We found this map in Station B… thanks to the submarine's sensors, we can have a pretty good idea of where we are at all times!

 

Reijiro: Correct, we have therefore already planned our itinerary… we shall take the shortest possible route to the glass dome.

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hayato: The glass dome…? We can reach it from down there?

 

{Flashback}

 

{Camera shows a massive glass dome covering the entirety of the resort}

 

Is this glass? What the hell, we are like prisoners in this big bubble. I’m guessing it’s to keep us from escaping huh… I should ask Monokuma about it…

 

Monokuma: {Appears} So? Do you like my redwood?

 

Hayato: Monokuma? Oh you’re there.

 

Speaking of the devil.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Wanna be any less enthusiastic about my sudden apparition? Damn you boring teens.

 

Hayato: What is this glass thing over our heads?

 

Monokuma: That? Oh it’s just a precautious so that you bastards don’t try and get out of here. It’s 100% unbreakable glass of course, no need to try upupu.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Good god, I don't miss that bear. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} The dome that coves the resort seems to reach the water. The question is… how far deep does it go?

 

Hayato: You think… we might be able to go under it?

 

Reijiro: That is the assumption yes… that dome is designed to keep us prisoned in the resort… but perhaps we might be able to bypass it thanks to the submarine. 

 

Hayato: Oh my… that could work! 

 

It seems possible! Maybe that's how we're supposed to escape!

 

Once we get past that dome… we're free.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Yes… it might work. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… there is no certitude… but it is definitely worth a shot. 

 

 

Fusume and Reijiro… our leaders. They really worked hard on this huh?

 

The reason for our failure the last couple of times was that we were essentially going blindly into the unknown…

 

But now, we've got a plan… and maybe, just maybe… it might work. 

 

Reijiro: According to my calculations… it should take us another ten minutes to reach the dome. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Which means that all we can do now is wait… and hope. 

 

Ten minutes!? At the speed we're going that means that this dome is huge…

 

Well, it is what is is… we have no choice. 

 

 

 

 

And so we waited… those ten minutes felt like hours. 

 

We were only a few minutes away from freedom… or from yet another disappointment. 

 

Please… please let this work… 

 

I don't think I could handle another disappointment. I'm so… tired. 

 

 

 

 

*CLANK*

 

Hayato: Huh!? What the hell?

 

I think I dozed off there for a second, talk about a rude awakening.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Reijiro… was that?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Y-Yes… I believe we've hit the dome. 

 

Hayato: What!? 

 

{Frame of the submarine, a gigantic plate of glass can be seen in front of it} 

 

Fusume: As we feared… the dome doesn't seem to stop at water level. 

 

Hayato: N-No! 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} G-Guys! What happened!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We felt the impact from back there… is the submarine okay?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… none of the "danger" lights have turned on… I believe that we are fine. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} You didn't answer my question! What happened?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} We were testing to see if we could pass under the glass dome that trapps us in here… and it didn't work. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} You mean that the impact… that was the  dome?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} You went straight into the glass? Why didn't you try to avoid it? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Glass is transparent! It was impossible for me to see it in such low levels of luminosity! 

 

Jessie: R-Right… I knew that. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} But then… if the glass dome extends all the way down here… how exactly are we supposed to escape!? 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} The whole point of the dome is to be hermetic… right? So how?

 

He's got a point… if the dome surrounds us even under water… then there really is now way out at all… 

 

Can that really be it…?

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Aw… that doesn't sound good.

 

Shinto: {Livid} Was it all… pointless?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} N-No! I won't accept it!

 

Fusume: R-Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Pinches bridge of his nose} The dome… it can' t be completely hermetic… there must be a hole… somewhere! 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} There's a way out… I… I know it!

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} And how can you be so sure?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} This… the elephant wanted us to get this far! He is resourceful enough to know that we would end up coming to this conclusion. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} He wants us to quit… but we won't!

 

Reijiro: Does this not feel in-character for these mascots? To make us think that we're doomed when really, the solution was staring us in the face all along!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hm… that does seem like something they'd do yes… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} What is it that you're suggesting exactly. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I think that the key to this whole motive lies somewhere within the dome… there must be a hole… or a breach or something somewhere to enable us to escape.

 

Reijiro: {Pinches bridge of his nose} There… there must be!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} B-But… the dome is enormous. It would take us weeks to cover it's entire surface!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We have the time… it's not like we have anywhere else to go. 

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} No matter how long it takes… we need to examine every single inch of that glass dome! We'll find a way out that way! I'm sure of it!

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} And what if you're wrong… what if there is no breach at all? Wouldn't that be a huge waste of time?

 

Reijiro: {Pinches bridge of his nose} Do we have any other choice? Any better idea?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast} I… I guess not. 

 

Jessie: {Excited} Then it's decided! We'll examine every nook and cranny of that dome! I have faith in Reijiro-kun… and I'm sure we'll find something eventually!

 

Jessie: Let's do this!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Wait a moment!

 

Hayato: Huh?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I agree with Reijiro's plan… but we shouldn't rush this. 

 

Reijiro: What are you talking about?

 


Fusume: {Meditating} The submarine just took a hard bump… and we're so far from shore… if something were to happen, even the safety wire wouldn't save us. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I believe we should head back to dock first to make sure that the ship's good to go!

 

Hayato: That… does seem wise. 

 

If the submarine were to crack open we'd all drown in minutes… despite how "danger-free" the ship's supposed to be… I'd rather not take any risks. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… if that reassures you then fine… we can start our examination of the dome during tonight's second dive. 

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Aw… but that means that Hayato-kun and I will miss it! 

 

That's true… we're off the team for the second dive. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Trust me… with how long this could take, you like will not miss much. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} You shall get a chance to participate tomorrow. 

 

Jessie: {Excited} Okay! That's fine by me! It's only fair to let the others have a go.

 

Fusume: {Confident} If we're all in agreement… then let's press the "give up" button for now. 

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} … 

 

Jessie: Thumbs up} Back to land we go! 

 

Hayato: Hey Shinto… wanna take my place on the way back!

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} S-Sure… thanks. 

 

Maybe seeing the ocean view firsthand will cheer him up a bit. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Only a few minutes to go… 

 

Shinto sat in my chair and I made my way back to the cabin with Jessie.

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

The wire slowly carried us back to dock and about fifteen minutes later we were back on dry land.

 

Reijiro and Fusume decided to stay behind to get check up on the ships's condition. The rest of us got out of the submarine and made our way up the stairs where Hikari and Oriana were waiting. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Guys! What happened! Tell us everything!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-We saw… a cr-crash! Is e-everybody okay?

 

 

We explained Fusume and Reijiro's plan as well as our discoveries to the girls. 

 

Oriana: {Annoyed} Examining the entire dome… that's like going to take so long! 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} It doesn't matter how long it takes! We have no other alternative!

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} I gu-guess so. 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} So… when do we get started!

 

Hayato: Right now… Fusume and Reijiro are making sure that the ships's good to go and you're going back there. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} R-Right now?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Alright! We'll have to do our best! 

 

Hikari: Come on Oriana! Let's go get ready!

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Jessie, Hayato… is it okay for us to leave you guys here? 

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up with smile} Don't worry about me Hikari-chan! I'll be watching you guys live from the computer lab!

 

Hayato: I… I think I'm just going to sleep for now… I'm really tired. 

 

Jessie: {Excited} That's totally fine Hayato-kun! I'll make sure to have a report ready for you when you wake up!

 

Hayato: Thanks Jessie.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Okay! There's no time to waste, let's go guys! 

 

Oriana: {Pumped up} L-Let's do it!

 

Hayato: Good luck guys… 

 

Hayato: Hikari… please, stay safe. 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Don't worry about me, Hayato! And uh, good night I guess!

 

Hikari: Shinto… are you coming? 

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} …

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Shinto!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Huh!? Y-Yeah sorry. 

 

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

The three of them disappeared down the staircase.

 

 

There's gonna need a lot of patience… that's for sure. 

 

Well, my evening's over, at least. 

 

I waved goodbye to Jessie and made my way back to my room. 

 

… 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato's room} 

 

In some way… I feel guilty of not going with Jessie… but at the end of the day it won't change much. 

 

I'm sure she'll come to wake me if anything important happens. 

 

For now… I just want to sleep. I need to catch up on all those terrible nights if I want to be fully prepared for tomorrow! 

 

With this new plan in motion, we might need to have even more daily dives… we could spend our entire days in that submarine and that means I'm going to need my energy back. 

 

We didn't find a way out… sure but we finally have a lead… something to aim for. 

 

I have hope… we're going to find something… there's no other way around it.

 

We'll escape the resort… and nobody else will have to die. 

 

Yeah… that sounds good. 

 

 

For the moment, I closed my eyes and fell asleep almost instantly. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*Knock Knock*

 

 

*Knock Knock*

 

 

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

 

Huh…? 

 

What's… what's going on?

 

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

 

Hayato: I'm coming dammit!

 

What time is it…? The sun hasn't risen yet. 

 

Somebody's at the door… and they seem very insistant… 

 

Ugh… I have no choice but to get up do I? 

 

{Examine door} 

 

 

Jessie: {Scared} H-Hayato-kun! You've got to come help me… now!

 

Jessie? 

 

Hayato: Slow down… what happened?

 

Jessie: {Scared} It's… it's… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hm… odd choice of pyjama Hayato-kun… I imagined you as more of a undies type. 

 

Hayato: Jessie! Concentrate!

 

Jessie: {Scared} R-Right! Sorry! My mind wanders when I'm stressed. 

 

Hayato: Can you tell me what happened please?

 

Jessie: It's Kôzuke-kun… he woke me up, saying that he couldnt find Kenji-kun!

 

Kôzuke couldn't find Kenji?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} He was really panicked… he said that Kenji-kun wasn't in his room and that he couldn't find him anywhere in the building!

 

Hayato: R-Really?

 

That doesn't sound good. 

 

Hayato: Hey, wait a second… Kôzuke, where's he now?

 

Jessie: {Scared} That's the thing! I don't know where he went! He just ran off and now I can't find him either!

 

Fusume: {Yawns} What are you two doing awake… it's late!

 

Jessie: Fusume-chan! You have to help us! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} H-Help you…? What is going on? 

 

Jessie started explaining the situation to Fusume and by the end of her account, the ruckus had awoken Hikari, Shinto and Reijiro. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Why are you making so much noise!? People are trying to sleep in here!

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} …

 

Hikari: {Rubbing eye} Is… is something wrong? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We don't know… but Kenji and Kôzuke seem to have gone missing.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} What…?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} They've gone missing… does that mean?

 

Fusume: {Confident} It doesn' t mean anything just yet… but we should try to find them. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} If Kôzuke was so panicked… he must have had a good reason. 

 

A good reason… could it be… 

 

N-No… I won't accept that. There's no way… 

 

Jessie: {Scared} Should I uh… wake up Oriana-chan and Raiko-chan?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No… we don't want to create more chaos… the six of us are perfectly capable of finding them. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} They can't have gone far. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} A case… of missing person… time is of the essence… we must find them, quickly. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Judging by their ever deteriorating relationship… we do not want to leave the two of them alone for too long. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You can't be suggesting… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} There is no time for suggestions! We need to get searching! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} They must be somewhere close! Shinto and Jessie, you guys can search this building!

 

Jessie: {Serious} On it! Come on Shinto-kun! {Leaves} 

 

Shinto: … wait for me. {Leaves} 

 

Fusume: As for the rest of us… we should go-

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} The hangar… we should go to the hangar!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The… hangar…? Why there?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… I don't know… but I can just feel it. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} After everything Kenji said this morning… he must have tried to dive by himself!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} That means we must check out the hangar! 

 

Reijiro: You… how exactly would you know…?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Please have faith in me! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} You may have a point. I don't see them being in either the yellow or the red building. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… let us go head to the blue building then. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} There's no time to lose!

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

And so we ran out of our building and made our way to the blue building… 

 

As we got closer… I couldn't help but notice a growing weight on my chest.

 

This… feeling, it's too familiar. 

 

It's the feeling… of catastrophy. 

 

Something bad's about to happen… I don't want to believe it… but I can feel it, somehow. 

 

{Auto-move to Blue Building} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Let us waste no time, we should make sure we cover the entire building… not just the hangar, they could be anywhere-

 

???: Is s-somebody there! Heeeeeelp!

 

That voice… it's… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Oriana!?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} That girl, what is she doing here!? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Her voice… it came from the marinebiology lab!

 

Fusume: Oriana! Are you okay?

 

Oriana: {Through the door} I'm s-stuck h-here! P-Please help me!

 

*Clatter Clatter*

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The door's locked… I'll have to take this door down!

 

Fusume: {Confident} You three! Go down to the hangar! I'll catch up with you! 

 

Hayato: Are you not coming with us?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I can't, if the both of them are in the hangar, only three more people may go down that staircase… you remember the rules right?

 

Hayato: Of… of course!

 

Fusume: I don't know what Oriana's doing here… but I'll have to free her!

 

Fusume: {Confident} You don't have enough time to wait for me either way… you need to get going… now! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} In such situations… every second counts. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} She's right! Let's go!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} …

 

Could they really be in the hangar…? I guess we have no choice but to go and make sure they're safe. 

 

Oh god… please… let them be safe. 

 

{Screen fades to black}

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong* 

 

{Auto-move to Blue Building - Hangar} 

 

{Scene opens on the hangar, nobody seems to be here} 

 

We arrived at the hangar… and as I feared neither Kenji nor Kôzuke was there.

 

But that somehow wasn't the most surprising sight in front of us. 

 

{Close-up on the clamp that usually holds the submarine, the ship's nowhere to be seen} 

 

The submarine… it's gone!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} I… I was right! Somebody must be diving as we speak!

 

Hayato: That's the only way to explain what we're seeing… Kenji must have be diving by himself!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} N-No… that's not it. 

 

Hikari: It's not!? 

 

Hayato: How can you tell Reijiro!?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Th-This… 

 

We looked at where he was pointing and we saw… 

 

{The safety wire seems to have been cut off} 

 

Hikari: That's where the safety wire was attached! What… what the hell!?

 

Reijiro: It has been sabotaged…

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} H-How… is that possible?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Somebody has sabotaged the wire… which means that we know that the submarine is completely detached from the dock… we have no way to bring it back without manually navigating it back here. 

 

Hayato: Why… why would someone do that!? 

 

Reijiro: Kurozo, Come here right now!

 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} You called? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Explain this!

 

Reijiro showed the sabotaged wire to Kurozo… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} This… this is vandalism! Who did this!? I'll punish them!

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} I won't allow anyone to mess with my equipment like that!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We can deal with that later! For now… two of our classmates are missing and we have reasons to believe they might be in the submarine as we speak… 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} In the submarine… but… but… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} This is unacceptable… I shall have to go fetch it myself! 

 

And without another word, the elephant gracefully dived into the water and disappeared under its dark waves.

 

Hayato: What the hell!?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Wh-What do we do now!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I suppose… that we wait… 

 

And so we waited… but a few moments later, the scene got even more bizarre. 

 

{The submarine slowly emerges from the surface, before Kurozo jumps out of the water with a salto} 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Hmph! The submarine isn't lost! 

 

Hayato: How… how exactly did you do that!?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I have my ways… and it really wasn't far anyway. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} It wasn't far…? 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} You heard me! I found it laying on the seafloor only half a dozen meters away from our current position. 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} You found it… laying on the seafloor…?

 

That… doesn't sound good… why would the submarine be all the way down there… it's almost like… it sank?

 

N-No!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We can go inside the submarine yes!?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Hm… you may… I'll have a word with whoever responsible with such vandalism once they come out!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Okay… let's not panic! We should just enter the ship… and I'm sure it'll all be alright! 

 

Yes… that's right… it'll be fine… 

 

It'll be fine, it'll be fine, it'll be fine, it'll be fine, it'll be fine, it'll be fine… 

 

Reijiro: {Points at Hayato} You… take that stepladder, we shall need it to make our way inside!

 

Hayato: R-Right, sorry!

 

I took the steel ladder that and positioned it in order to allow us access to the hatch. 

 

W-Wait! The ladder… it's been put back in its original place… but then… that doesn't make sense! If somebody's in the ship, they must have used it to get in… 

 

So why is it here… and not in position!?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Hayato! We can't afford daydreaming right now!!!

 

Hayato: I'm here!

 

We quickly walked down the ladder and entered the submarine, the weight in my chest growing exponentially. 

 

What… are we going to find in there…?

 

{Auto-move to Submarine - Cabin} 

 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Is anybody there!? 

 

… 

 

No one… 

 

It's empty. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Why… where are they!? I thought we'd find at least one of them here!!!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} It's too late to give up… we still have to check the control room. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Whoever tried diving by themselves must be in there…

 

Hikari: HELLO!? IS SOMEONE IN THE CONTROL ROOM!?

 

 

Hikari: {Sad} No answer… 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Hngh… they must be here… it would make no sense for the submarine to be completely empty, we need to… we need to…

 

Reijiro never finished that sentence, he opened the hatch that separated the cabin and the control room, and stopped in his tracks immediately. 

 

 

If there really was someone in the submarine… then why weren't they responding?

 

The answer to that question was perfectly clear in my mind… but I just couldn't accept it. 

 

And yet… as soon as we went through the hatch… the scene in front of us… 

 

I had to accept it… what I was seeing… it was exactly what I feared. 

 

 

No… it was so much worse than that. 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAZn2LE9gqk)

 

{Camera zooms in to the wall left of the control room, the words " STATION A" seem to have been written in a red substance. The camera then zooms down to show the hand of the victim laying in a pool of blood, it then shifts left and we can see that the victim's back has been stabbed with a trident, the weapon's shaft having been broken in two. The camera then abruptly shifts left to show an inside out umbrella, it's white edges having taken a red tint from all the blood. The camera finally zooms out entirely to show the body of Raiko Itake, the Ultimate Schemer} 

 

 

Raiko… was dead. 

 

And after everything that she'd accomplished, the Ultimate Schemer had been slain… 

 

Slain by one of us… one of my friends.

 

The killing game… wasn't over just yet…

 

And in some way, hell had only just begun. 

 

 

Notes:

Well… that happened.

Did you expect that or did it surprise you? Do you think you know who killed her? Leave your thoughts in the comments!

I'll see you next time around for the investigation!

Thanks again for reading and see you soon!

Chapter 46: Chapter 4 : 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea : Deadly life

Notes:

And so the investigation for Raiko's murder begins.

Who could have possibly killed everyone's favorite trickster? Read on to find out!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

{Monitor inside the submarine turns on} 

 

Kurozo: Attention to all students, a body has been discovered. You are all kindly requested to gather in the hangar.

 

Kurozo: After a brief period allocated to investigation, a class trial will be held.

 

Kurozo: Make haste…

 

{The monitor turns off} 

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} Wh-What… is this!?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} A-Another body…? N-No… no…

 

Hikari: {Horrified} NOOOOOO!!!

 

{Close-up on the body}

 

Raiko… is dead? I can’t believe it…

 

 

If our story came from a work of fiction… Raiko would have been the villain. That’s obvious.

 

She antagonised us from the get go. She manipulated us… toyed with our emotions… and even got some of our friends killed.

 

And yet… after all that… I refused to believe she was truly a bad person.

 

Raiko’s brain didn’t function like ours… we were so terrified that we thought we’d get out by working together… while she decided to do the opposite.

 

By isolating herself… and putting on this “evil” mask… she thought she had a chance to win the killing game…

 

In fact… she probably would have survived if she didn’t end up letting her guard down. If I had to have picked a likely winner it would have been her.

 

And now… just like that… she’s dead.

 

The person who’d always been a step ahead of us became just another victim of the killing game.

 

She didn’t manage to beat the game like she said she would…

 

And here she was… lying dead in front of me.

 

No tricks… no gimmicks… no scheming.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I d-d-don’t want to look… oh g-god…

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} This… is… not good… not good at all!

 

Raiko… I’m so sorry.

 

Hikari: {Horrified} H-Hayato! Say something!

 

Hayato: What am I supposed to say exactly!?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… I d-don’t know… I just can’t stand this silence…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Reijiro: We… should head back up and meet with the rest of the group.

 

Hayato: Head… back up?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Did you not listen to the announcement!? Kurozo wants us to gather in the hangar!

 

Hikari: {Sad} The… the hangar!? But the b-body… it’s in here!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance, tears} Aren’t we supposed to meet where the body was found!?

 

Could it be… n-no… why would Kurozo have us gather up there…?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… fear not… I believe this is simply a spatial problem.

 

A… spatial problem?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You heard me… all nine of us would hardly fit in here… I suppose it is simply more conveniant for everyone for Kurozo to gather us on the docks…

 

Oh… right.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} S-So we’re supposed to just leave her… here?

 

Reijiro: {Comprehensive smile} We have no choice… please, we cannot afford to be late.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Y-You’re right… let’s go… I guess.

 

That’s probably… the softest I’ve heard Reijiro speak ever. I think he understands Hikari won’t handle commands too well right now.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… we’ll be back to investigate the crime scene soon enough.

 

He turned around… and his eyes landed on Raiko’s corpse.

 

Reijiro: {Sad expression, rubs eye} …

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Mmph… {Leaves}

 

Hikari: {Sad} Come on Hayato… we have to go!

 

Hayato: Yes… you’re right. Let’s meet the others.

 

The look on Reijiro’s face right before he left… it was regret, in its most primitive form.

 

Fusume might be more vocal about her duties as a co-leader of the group… but Reijiro clearly seems to feel just as guilty every time we find a body.  

 

The two of them… they promised they’d keep us all safe… and the more this goes, the bigger the toll on their self-esteem… that much is certain.

 

 

Before I could waste more time day-dreaming, Hikari grabbed my hand and we made our way back up the ladder to meet with the rest of the group…

 

They’re going to have tons of questions aren’t they?

 

Explaining what we’d just seen… it surely wasn’t going to be pleasant.

 

{Auto-move to Blue Building - Hangar}

 

{Scene opens, Fusume, Kôzuke, Jessie, Shinto and Oriana are here} 

 

Oriana: {Crying} Wh-Where’s the b-body!! I c-can’t see i-it!

 

Jessie: {Scared} The a-announcement said… meet in the hangar… s-so surely… it must be close.

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} N-No… it can’t be…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Guys!

 

She suddenly seemed to notice us and the rest of the group turned to face us.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Thank god you three are safe…!

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} S-So… who’s dead!?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} The… victim…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} It’s Raiko… we found her in the submarine.

 

 

The five of them suddenly paused in their panick… almost as if the news was toos shocking for them to comprehend immidiately.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What… what did you just say?

 

Jessie: {Tearing up} R-Raiko-chan…?

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} It’s not… him!?

 

Oriana: {Crying} N-No! You h-have to be m-mistaken!

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} Sh-She… was f-finally… b-becoming better.

 

Oriana: {Hands on hips, angry} She… c-can’t be dead!

 

Hayato: I’m sorry… but there’s no doubt about it… the body that Kurozo was talking about is Raiko’s.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} …

 

Jessie: {Sad} …

 

Fusume: {Pulls on hair} I have… failed… again!!!

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I’m s-sorry… I promised I’d keep everyone safe…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m a failure of a leader… once again.

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} No…

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Shinto?


Shinto: Now isn’t the time to feel sorry for ourselves…

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Fusume… if you have doubts about your capacity as a leader… then you’ll have all the time in the world to ask yourselve these questios once we’ve cleared the trial.

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, determined} But now… we must stay focused! You can’t afford to let your mind wander like that…

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} If we don’t make it through… I’ll never get a chance to redeem myself… for Yoko…

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, determined} So please! Don’t give up just yet!

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} But… I…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} He is right… snap out of it!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Reijiro…!?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} We should have done better… that much is certain…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Every death… could have been prevented… which means we are going to have to put our leadership into question.

 

Reijiro: But now… is the time for justice… not for self-pity.

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} We must give this investigation our all… or we’ll die before we get a chance to redeem ourselves!

 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You… you’re right… I can’t waste this investigation… when our lives are on the line.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I’m sorry for letting you down everyone… I will give this investigation my all!

 

Alright… Fusume’s got her groove back… even though that boost might just be momentary.

 

It’s definitely not the first time that Fusume’s hit this hard by a death… we know that she puts too much pressure on herself and that means she blames herself exclusively for everything that’s happening to us.

 

At least she’s back to normal for now… either way, I think Reijiro and I will have to talk to her once the trial is done.

 

This will get out of hand eventually, I can feel it.

 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hmm… no matter all that, it appears that Kurozo still isn’t here.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} We sh-should just… wait for him h-here right?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… that seems wise.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} The crime having been committed in the submarine means all of us cannot go investigate it at once.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} In such circumstances… we should just sit tight until he arrives.

 

We’ve got to just… wait?

 

 

I suppose that’s not such a bad thing… I actually have a few questions to ask to some people here…

 

That’s probably the best use of my time.

 

{Talk to Fusume}

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hayato… is there anything I can do for you?

 

Hayato: Yes, actually. I’m wondering what ended up happening with Oriana upstairs!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} M-Me!?

 

{Flashback}

 

Fusume: {Confident} Let us waste no time, we should make sure we cover the entire building… not just the hangar, they could be anywhere-

 

???: Is s-somebody there! Heeeeeelp!

 

That voice… it's…

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Oriana!?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} That girl, what is she doing here!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Her voice… it came from the marinebiology lab!

 

Fusume: Oriana! Are you okay?

 

Oriana: {Through the door} I'm s-stuck h-here! P-Please help me!

 

*Click*

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The door's locked… I'll have to take this door down!

 

Fusume: {Confident} You three! Go down to the hangar! I'll catch up with you!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Of course… with all the commotion that slipped my mind.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Oriana, maybe you’d like to explain to Hayato what it is that happened exactly.

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Y-Yes… I can uh… d-do that.

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughful expression} W-Well… after the dive l-last night uh… I c-couldn’t f-fall asleep… I w-was uh… too e-excited!

 

Oriana: So I d-decided to come to th-this building… t-to do s-some r-research y-you know!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} I th-thought that maybe I-I’d be more u-useful if I did that…

 

Oriana: {Crying} I d-don’t want to be… a… uh… d-dead weight!

 

Hayato: And what happenned then?

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} While I uh… w-was in the m-marinebiology lab… s-somebody locked me in… f-from the outside!

 

Hayato: Somebody… locked the door to the lab!?

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} Y-Yes… I heard that uh… clicking s-sound… and the d-door was locked!

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} Th-That’s why I w-was banging on the d-door like that!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I j-just wanted uh… o-out!

 

Hayato: I see… that’s what happenned.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Fast-forward to this morning… when you guys left for the hangar, I kicked the door down…

 

Fusume: It did take some time… those doors are pretty sturdy… but I managed to free her in the end.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We came down here as soon as we heard the announcement!

 

Hayato: Hm… Oriana, can I ask you at what time this happened?

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} I think w-when I left my room it was around… 23:00!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-But… I l-lost track of t-time! I d-don’t think I could tell you at what time I was l-locked in… sorry…

 

Hm… I wonder if there’s a way to get a better idea of the timeframe here…

 

If I can find evidence that Oriana was locked in the lab before the murder then that would give her a pretty rocksolid alibi…

 

I’ll have to look into that later.

 

{Talk to Kôzuke}

 

Hayato: Kôzuke, is everything okay? We were worried sick about you!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} S-Sorry about that man… I h-had a bit of a mental breakdown myself!

 

Hayato: What happened!?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} I had… a premonition!

 

Hayato: Sorry… what?

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Like in the movies man! I woke up and I was like dude… something’s happened to Kenji!

 

Hayato: Any… particular reason for that?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Felt it in my gut man! I can’t explain it.

 

Hayato: I see…

 

Weird.

 

Hayato: And so what happened after that?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I know that part! Shinto-kun and myself went to look for both Kenji-kun and Kôzuke-kun!

 

Hayato: Yeah… I remember that.

 

{Flashback}

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} A case… of missing person… time is of the essence… we must find them, quickly.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Judging by their ever deteriorating relationship… we do not want to leave the two of them alone for too long.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You can't be suggesting…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} There is no time for suggestions! We need to get searching!

 

Fusume: {Confident} They must be somewhere close! Shinto and Jessie, you guys can search this building!

 

Jessie: {Serious} On it! Come on Shinto-kun! {Leaves}

 

Shinto: … wait for me. {Leaves}

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} We found Kôzuke pretty quickly… but no sign of Kenji.

 

Hayato: Hold on… you haven’t found Kenji!?

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} No… we covered the whole of the black building… by the time we were done we heard the announcement and we came straight here.

 

Kenji… he’s not here right now… where the hell could he be?

 

*Gulp* … It can’t be that he…

 

No.

 

Hayato: Do the others know about this?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} About… what!?

 

Hayato: Well, about the fact that we still don’t know where Kenji is!?

 

Kôzuke: {Sad} Oh uh… I don’t think so man… everybody’s been pretty caught up with the whole body announcement thing… y’know.

 

Hayato: So you’re telling me that most of the group isn’t aware that we’re missing someone!?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Mhm… I’m sure some people must have realised… but we haven’t really had a chance to give a detailed account no.

 

I don’t want to be falatistic here but this sounds bad…

 

Hayato: Okay… I should probably tell the others-

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Good morning students, sorry for the delay!

 

Cool.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What took you so long!?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Heh… that much is none of your business.

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} J-Just give us the damn file already!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} We don’t have time for your messing around!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Me…? Messing around?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You’re a bit confused… aren’t you kid?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Hey! You knew perfectly what he meant!

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Yes, yes… I speak in jest.

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} I suppose you are somwhat correct… there is little time before the class trial… you must get started with your investigation as soon as possible!

 

The class trial… I thought we’d be done with it after the last one…

 

The trial for Yoko and Tadao’s murder… we managed to leave the trial grounds without anybody being killed…

 

It would have been a great way to end this madness… but no. We have to face this life and death class trial once more.

 

And this time… it can’t end this well can it? One of us must have done it…

 

That means we’re going to lose one more classmate by the end of the day… we’ll be down to 8… half of what we started with.

 

 

I can’t accept this…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} We’ll have to through it once more…

 

Oriana: {Cries} I d-d-don’t want… any of you t-to be e-executed a-again…

 

Oriana: Kyaaaaah!!!

 

Jessie: {Scared} D-Don’t be scared, Oriana-chan… it’ll be a-alright…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} Yes, you’re all terrified we know…

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} You’ve been through this three times already… I shouldn’t have to listen to your whining right now.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We’ve just lost one of our classmates… can’t you be the slightest bit empathetic here?

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Eh… you didn’t even like the girl… I don’t see why you’re all so distraught…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Y-You… heartless… monster!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} …

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You’ve gotten your insults out of the way… can we get started now?

 

We knew that he was heartless… but I swear he’s acting extra cruel today…

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Hm… if there are no other objections… I shall now give you your file-

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Hold on man!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} What now!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Are we really going to ignore the elephant in the room here?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Yes that is exactly what you’re doing…

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Kôzuke-kun! Now’s not the time for puns!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} B-But… I wasn’t… no!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} That’s not what I meant to say!

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Heh… that is quite funny…

 

There’s no way he didn’t mean the pun is there…?

 

 

Eh, it’s Kôzuke we’re talking about… what do I know.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Just say what it is you have on your mind already!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} W-Well… we can’t start with the investigation yet man! We still haven’t found Kenji!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} W-Wait! That’s right! Where is he!?

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} W-We don’t know… we looked all over the black building… C’est comme si il avait disparu!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} No… he cannot simply have vanished!!!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} But then… where is he?

 

Shinto: {Livid} Could he be…

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} You shouldn’t worry about him too much… he’s fine.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} He is!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-But then… where is he?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Why don’t you let me finish my briefing… and then I’ll take you to him.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} But he’s safe… right?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Yes… that is what I just said.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} As long as he is healthy… then I suppose we should not worry.

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Is that all…?

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} I’d really hate it if you were to interrupt me again…

 

Hikari: {Straigthens tie} Yeah… yeah we’ll be quiet.

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Great. I shall therefore get to the points I wanted to address.

 

I’ll listen to what he’s got to say but… I can’t say that I’m not worried about Kenji…

 

I know that Kurozo says that he’s healthy but… what the hell could have happened to him?

 

I guess we have no choice but to trust him for now…

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} My announcements will be brief… you only have a short period of time to your disposition before we begin the class trial.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Then I suggest you do not waste our time!

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Heh… as if you could get through this without my help.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} S-So… you’re going t-to help us?

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} As usual, you shall do most of the work… but I will help you get started… much like my predecessor before me…

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} So… you’re going to give us your version of the Monokuma File?

 

Jessie: The “Kurozo File” so to speak…

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} Do not put me in the same category as that egotistical buffoon!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Putting your own name in front of the sacred file… how moronic…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So… what is it called then?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Just… “The File”

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Doesn’t roll of the tongue as well though does it?

 

Kurozo: Ahem… enough about the file’s name… what matters are its content…

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} The file has therefore already been uploaded to your Resident ID tablets… make good use of it.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Okay… that file’s going to be useful… is there anything you have for us?    

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} How impatient! You kids really love all this investigating don’t you?

 

Hayato: You know that’s not the takeaway from this!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} We want to know if Kenji-kun’s alright!

 

Kurozo: Hm… I understand… just a few complementary bits of information and I’ll release you.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} …

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Firstly, as you may have noticed, I have summoned you here in the hangar even though there is no body to be found here…

 

Fusume: {Confident} We have been informed that the body was found in the submarine… I presume that is why you brought us here.

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Your assumption is correct. Even during the investigation you will have to respect the different rules that have been set conserning the submarine.

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Only five people will be allowed inside it at all times… I hope that much is clear.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} And therefore that is why we have been summoned here… you did not want all nine of us inside the ship.

 

Kurozo: Correct…

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} That is all. You may begin your investigation!

 

Jessie: {Determined} First, take us to Kenji-kun!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Y-Yes! We w-want to make sure he’s uh… o-okay!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} You kids won’t leave me alone until I take you to him will you?

 

Fusume: {Confident} That’s right… so don’t make us wait.

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You think you can force my hand huh?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Mhm… I did propose it to you in the first place…

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Fine… follow me. {Leaves}

 

Jessie: {Determined} G-Guys! Let’s go!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Where… will he bring us?

 

Alright… I can only hope that Kenji’s actually fine… I can’t bear to face another body right now…

 

I guess this is the moment in which we’re thankful that Kurozo’s the one running this place…

 

Judging by the Oriana situation from two weeks ago, I’m sure Monokuma would have left us in the dark about Kenji’s whereabouts…

 

Well… here goes nothing…

 

{Auto-move to Blue Building - Second Floor} 

 

We followed Kurozo all the way to the second floor until he finally stopped in front of the door to Station A.

 

Wait, Station A… that reminds me of that note at the crime scene…

 

What could this mean?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} You’ve reached your destination. The classmate you’re looking for is waiting behind this door.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Kenji’s in Station A…? But why?

 

Hikari: {Scribbles through notes} I mean… he’s been spending most of his time in that room for the past few days right!?

 

R-Right! He was working on Raiko’s lead in there…

 

{Flashback}

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} This message… it’s got to mean something right?

 

Kenji: I basically spend my entire time in this room anyway… so it’s decided!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I’m going to work my fucking ass off on this! There must be something else to work with in some of these others books! I’ll figure out what this shit is all about even if it’s the last thing I do!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} …

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Cool. Tell me if you find anything {Leaves}

 

Enthusiastic as always…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I know I’m not the sharpest knive in the drawer… but I’ll crack this case! I swear!

 

Hayato: O-Okay… I’m glad to see you motivated Kenji!

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} I’ll keep you posted if I find anything… which I fucking will!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

But… the only ones who knew about that were Kenji, Raiko and myself…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What are we waiting for!? Let’s go inside already!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} Wait a moment!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} What is it now!?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} The door’s locked… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} It’s locked!? But how!?

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} You know that I can’t answer that… all I can say is that the door’s been manually locked and you won’t just get in easily!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} That m-means… it’s l-like the m-marinebiology uh… l-lab!

 

Oriana: {Angry, hands on hips} S-Somebody’s b-been locking d-doors in this b-building!

 

Was Kenji locked in like Oriana was!? Is the true culprit responsible for this?

 

There’s another alternative… but I don’t like the sounds of it at all.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} If the door’s locked… then I’ll break through it!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} N-No! You’ve broken enough doors for one day!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} B-But…

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} There will be no buts! You don’t know how long it takes to repair the hinges! I won’t allow you to kick this door down.

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} I’ll simply unlock it for you… no need to use violence.

 

That’s ironic…

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Fine… just do it quick.

 

*Click*

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} It’s done… I’ll leave you all to it. Just know that your investigation time begins now so I wouldn’t spend too long on reunions if I were you! {Disappears}

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The door’s unlocked… let’s go in already.

 

And so we all ran into Station A… expecting the worst.

 

 

We’ve already lost Raiko… I don’t think I could handle finding a second body here…

 

{Auto-move to Station A}

 

And just like that, we entered Station A… and walked onto a scene so unexpected that my jaw dropped.

 

{Close-up on Kenji, he’s lying on the floor and has been completely tied up and gagged. He can be seen angrily wiggling to no avail}

 

Jessie: {Shocked} K-Kenji-kun!

 

Kenji: NGHHHHHH!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wh-What happened here!?

 

Oriana: {Cries} K-Kyaaah!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Someone come and help me untie him already!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’m on it…

 

Kenji: Ngh!

 

Shinto and Fusume approached Kenji and quickly got to work on freeing him.

 

Whoever it was that did this to him seemed to have taken their time. He was binded by a thick rope which had been rolled around him numerous times.

 

 

A few seconds later, Kenji had finally been released and he quickly stood up, a furious look on his face.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I’ve been… here for fucking… hours!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Kenji-kun!? Who did this to you!?

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} I don’t fucking know…

 

Kenji: {Furious} The motherfucker attacked me from behind while I was busy reading… I never saw them coming.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You were attacked!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Likely by the killer… everything must be connected.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Kenji! Are you need of a medical checkup!?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Nah, I’m fine… I was hit in the back of the head… but it’s alright… that’s not the real issue here.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I’ve been conscious for at least a couple of hours which means I heard the announcement.

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} Who… who is it!? Who’s dead!?

 

It seems he hasn’t put two and two together yet… understandbly.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} It’s… it’s…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Raiko’s dead… her body was found in the submarine.

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} R-Raiko!? She’s the victim?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I’m afraid so…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Raiko… is dead… f-for real?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Grrrr…

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laughter} NYAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

 

What in the world!?

Oriana: {Cries} Kyaah!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What are you doing!?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Kenji-kun!? What’s wrong with you!?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} What’s wrong you ask!? Nothing at all’s fucking wrong guys!

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} I was so fucking scared when I heard that announcement… thinking one of you had been killed…

 

Kenji: {Snickers} But it’s her… she’s dead… finally!

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laughter} I’m so fucking relieved!!!

 

That reaction…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Have you gone mad!?

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} What do you mean!? It’s you guys’ face which I don’t understand!

 

Kenji: What are you all looking so sad for!? This is a good fucking day!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} The witch is dead! I believe some fucking ding-dongs are in order!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Kenji! No matter your thoughts concerning the victim… there has still been a murder…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} And now… we’re going to face another class trial… this is no laughing matter.

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Does that bitch really deserve all the effort of a trial!? I think we should just thank whoever did this to her and move on already!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} We’re much better off without her…

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} Y-You… monster…

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} I was… so scared for you…

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} What’d you say to me!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} We definitely don’t have time for your bickering… now that we know that Kenji’s safe we must get to investigating.

 

Fusume: Kurozo made it very clear that time is of the essence…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Mmph… wether you like it or not, we are having a class trial… which means we must find the true culprit in this affair.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Heh, have fun doing that… I’m staying right the fuck here.

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} What… are you saying!?

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} I’m not wasting my time and energy on the bitch… I have nothing against the murderer this time… they did us a big fucking favor.

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} You guys’ll probably figure it out without me either way… it doesn’t fucking matter.

 

Hayato: But Kenji… you can’t just give up!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Heh… trust me, this isn’t me giving up… I just won’t even bother this time…

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laughter} The bitch doesn’t deserve my time… I’d much rather stay here with all the books…

 

Hayato: N-No.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Fine… if that is your choice…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} The rest of us must go back to the hangar now… there’s no more time to waste.

 

Hayato: You’re just going to let him skip the investigation?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Reijiro’s right… we don’t have nearly enough time on our hands to argue with Kenji.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} If he doesn’t want to investigate… then so be it.

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} That’s damn right! Have fun losers!

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} …

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} {Leaves} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Everybody… time to head back downstairs and get this investigation truly started!

 

Yes… it’s time.

 

 

{Auto-move to Hangar} 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} It appears that all nine… uh, I mean eight of us are here.

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} Th-That guy…

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} I expect all of you to give this investigation your all.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Don’t want to sound like a broken record but our lives are still on the line…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} No matter who the victim is.

 

Oriana: {Pumped up} I’ll uh… d-do my best!

 

Jessie: We’ll find who did this to Raiko-chan… one way or another.

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I need to make it past this trial… which means I have to investigate to the best of my capacity…

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Hayato… everything okay with you?

 

Hayato: Y-Yeah, I’m fine… just deep in thought.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Alright! Good luck everyone!

 

Raiko… was taken from us… and taken from me, just when she was finally opening up…

 

Kenji might act like he doesn’t care… but I’ve lost a friend today… and I won’t just sit back and accept that.

 

I won’t let the murderer get away with killing my friend…

 

Raiko… will have justice… whatever it takes!



{Investigation Starts}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0xz8Dqojto )

 

As usual, I think it’s wise to start my investigation by taking a look at the Monok-… uh… “The File”.

 

Those files have always been crucial in solving the cases… even last time around, the fact that it was incomplete was what enabled us to corner Monokuma…

 

I should take a careful look at this one.

 

{Camera shows the File displayed on Hayato’s Resident ID}  

 

The File :

 

The victim is Raiko Itake, the Ultimate Schemer, the body was discovered inside the submarine. The estimated time of death is at around 1AM. The victim died of shock after being stabbed by a sharp object. Three identical stab wounds were found on the victim’s back. The body also has many contusions and bruises. Death was close to instantaneous.

 

{Back to normal}

 

She died of shock after being stabbed…

 

{Black and white frame of Raiko’s body} 

 

That seems consistent with what we know…

 

I’m more interested to know more about those “contusions and bruises”. Whoever killed her probably didn’t have it easy… she must have fought back… and quite intensely at that.

 

And so she died at around 1 AM… it’s 4:30 right now which means she’s been dead for over three hours.

 

{Back to normal}

 

Nothing groundbreaking in that file… but I’ll make sure to keep that info in mind for now.

 

{THE FILE added to truth bullets} 

 

I’ll take a look at the hangar later… for now I should head down to the submarine itself… if there’s something I’ve learnt from all these investigations, it’s that the crime scene’s a good starting point.

 

 

Let’s go-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You there…

 

Reijiro…? Still hasn’t bothered to remember my name has he?

 

Hayato: What’s up?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} You’re going to investigate the crime scene… yes?

 

Hayato: Correct.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I shall accompany you… if you’ll allow me.

 

Hayato: You want to… accompany me?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Yes, that is my intention.

 

Reijiro: These investigations have always been complex… but this particular case seems even more intricate than the rest…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I believe you know what I am referring to?

 

No?

 

Hayato: Y-Yeah, of course.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} That is why I believe it would be beneficial for the two of us to work together on this investigation…

 

Wait… really!?

 

Hayato: Reijiro… you want to work with me!?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… you have shown in the past trials that you are certainly competant in this field… I have no doubt that such a partnership would be prolific.

 

Hayato: O-Okay then… why not!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Very well… I believe we can now move past the pleasantries and head down.

 

Hayato: I agree… let’s get going.

 

I still can’t believe Reijiro would ever collaborate with anybody… but I guess I should be flattered.

 

Two heads are better than one… that’s the saying right? If we work together I’m sure we’ll manage to crack the case.

 

I’m slightly nervous about one thing though… what did he mean when he said this case seemed “more intricate than the others”?

 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What are you waiting for!?

 

Hayato: S-Sorry!

 

Probably shouldn’t make him wait… I’m sure I’m going to figure out what he meant soon enough.

 

{Move to Submarine - Cabin}

 

{Kôzuke and Jessie are here}

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I propose we start with the control room… we should examine the body before anything else.

 

Hayato: That seems like a good idea… we’ll come back to speak to these two once we’re done with the crime scene.

 

{Examine Control Room hatch}

 

Raiko’s body… is waiting for us behind that door.

 

I have no choice here…

 

{Move to Submarine - Control Room}

 

{Fusume and Reijiro are here}

 

Fusume: {Confident} Reijiro, Hayato… are you two investigating together?

 

Reijiro: Correct… {Sly grin} He asked me to partner up and I accepted…

 

Fusume: {Content} I see… that’s a great initiative Hayato… I’m all for teamwork!

 

Hayato: H-Hey, that’s not what-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Now… shall we get to that body…

 

I feel so dumb… every time I’m with these two.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I’ve already started with my preliminary examination of the body… it’s not pretty.

 

Hayato: Raiko…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m sorry Hayato… why don’t the two of you take a look at her for yourselves.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes… we shall do just that.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Alright… you two get to it then… I’ll be right here if you need me.

 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Mmph… are you ready!?

 

Am I? I’m about to have to study my friend’s dead body… how could I ever be ready for that!?

 

 

Argh! Get a hold of yourself Hayato! You’ve done that four times already… this body isn’t any different.

 

I just need to get through this…

 

Hayato: As ready as I’ll ever be… let’s go.

 

{Close-up on Raiko’s body} 

 

D-Dammit… Raiko…

 

She looks… so peaceful laying there… almost like she was asleep.

 

But she won’t wake up… I know that.

 

 

I can’t let my emotions interfere with the investigation…

 

Let’s just do this.

 

{Examine Raiko’s Wound} 

 

{Close-up on the wound} 

 

The File doesn’t lie… Raiko’s definitely been stabbed here.

 

Reiijiro: I suppose that it is quite reassuring that the trident is still impaled in the victim’s injury…

 

Hayato: Wait… how the hell is that reassuring!?

 

It’s… quite gruesome if you ask me.

 

Reijiro: Think of it this way… this is the first case where we know with absolute certainty what the murder weapon is.

 

Hayato: Oh… you’re right. Figuring out what the true murder weapon was has been crucial in solving every case so far.

 

Kyia’s candlestick was a decoy to hide Fukami’s true schemes… Rina’s letter opener exploited the loophole in Monokuma’s motives and finally… the confusion on who was killed by the sword in the last case was what made it so complex.

 

Reijiro: There is no way to falsify this weapon… the trident’s three prongs are impaled deep in the victim’s back… this must be the murder weapon!

 

Hayato: Furthermore… the trident fits with the description inside the file…

 

Three identical stab wounds… that describes an injury caused by a trident alright.

 

Reijiro: Mmph… I believe we should take note of the depth of the injuries…

 

Hayato: Huh… They are quite deep aren’t they?

 

Reijiro: It appears that the trident was thrust into the victim’s back with great force…

 

Reijiro: Such a fact could already help us discuplate a certain number of our classmates… namely those who would be incapable of such strength!

 

Hayato: So you’re saying that the killer has to be someone who’s strong enough to fully impale Raiko with the trident!?

 

Reijiro: It is too early to jump to immidiate conclusions… but that does seem plausible.

 

Interesting… if genuine force is at play here then I guess it does make certain people seem like unlikely culprits… I should remember this.

 

{DEPTH OF WOUNDS added to truth bullets} 

 

{Examine Trident}

 

The trident’s shaft has been broken in two… It’s like the weapon’s handle had been removed completely.

 

All that’s left sticking out of the body is the head of the trident and a small bit of the shaft.

 

I wonder why the killer would go through the trouble of breaking their weapon after using it…

 

Or… maybe I’m looking at it the wrong way and it was broken in the altercation between Raiko and the killer…

 

But then doesn’t that make it hard to thrust the trident into body with that much strength when you’re holding it from it’s head!?

 

This is strange… despite how conveniant it is that the weapon was left in the body… I feel like we still have a lot to figure out here.

 

{BROKEN TRIDENT added to truth bullets} 

 

{Examine Piece of Brown tape}

 

Reijiro: Mmph… what do we have here?

 

Hayato: Is that… tape!?

 

Reijiro: Yes, that appears to be brown tape, very resistant one at that.

 

Hayato: Wait… how do you know that?

 

Reijiro: This is the exact same type of tape as a roll I found in the storage room some days ago… it is advertised as extra strong tape.

 

Hayato: But then… what is that piece of tape doing here just resting on Raiko’s back…? It’s not stuck to anything is it?

 

Reijiro: No, you are correct… the tape is not adhered to any surface for the time being…

 

Reijiro: But it should be noted that it’s adhesive surface seems to have lost in its quality.

 

Hayato: And… that means what?

 

Reijiro: It is not as sticky as it should be… which leads me to think it was indeed stuck onto something and has been detached from that surface since then.

 

So… the tape was stuck to something and then it was detached from that…

 

The fact that we found it laying on Raiko’s back means it must be related to the case in some way…

 

I just don’t know how.

 

Still… if this piece of tape was used by the killer in their plan somehow, it feels like very compromising evidence, so why leave it here!?

 

Maybe… the killer hasn’t realised that they forgot it… that might explain why it’s still here.

 

This feels important… I think I’ll keep it as a trump card of sorts!

 

Hayato: Hey, Reijiro… can you keep quiet about that piece of tape for the time being please?

 

Reijiro: Mmph… I wonder what it is you have in mind… but sure, I shall follow your lead.

 

{PIECE OF BROWN TAPE added to truth bullets} 

 

{Examine Raiko’s hand}

 

Reijiro: Hm… there is something in her hand.

 

Hayato: What?

 

Reijiro: It appears she was holding something right before her death… let us see what it is…

 

 

{Close-up on the item, it appears to be a small USB stick}

 

Hayato: That’s a memory stick!

 

Reijiro: Indeed it is… mmph, it must have been important to the victim considering she kept it in her hand even during her last moments.

 

Reijiro: One can only wonder about its contents.

 

Hayato: We don’t have to wonder! We could check its contents at the computer lab!

 

Reijiro: Hm… an intriguing idea… we shall do just that if have sufficient time after our investigation is concluded.

 

Hayato: But… don’t you think its contents could be related to the case?

 

Reijiro: Who knows… but I will not go out of my way to research that much unless we are certain it is of importance to solving the murder.

 

Reijiro: There are more pressing matters here…

 

I… I guess he’s right.

 

Reijiro: I will keep hold of it for now…

 

Well… if we’re not going to see what’s inside the stick, I should at least make a mental note that it exists… just in case.



{USB STICK added to truth bullets}

 

 

I think that’s all we’ll get from the body… We should probably back up for now.

 

{Back to normal}

 

Let’s see what else we can find in this room.

 

{Examine Raiko’s umbrella}

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I believe this is the victim’s signature umbrella.

 

Hayato: That’s right…

 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen her without it… it’s like that thing was glued to her hand or something.

 

{Close-up on the umbrella, it is bent inside out}

 

Reijiro: I am afraid it shall not be of much use to anyone anymore…

 

Hayato: Yeah… that umbrella was done dirty here… I think it’s pretty much broken.

 

Hayato: Was it damaged in the struggle?

 

Reijiro: That does seem likely… that umbrella and the contusions on the victim’s body do seem to indicate that there was quite a scuffle in here.

 

Raiko and the killer must have fought in here… but in such a restrained room I’m not sure how far that would have gone… still, I think a fight is the only explanation for how messed up that umbrella has become.

 

{INSIDE OUT UMBRELLA added to truth bullets}

 

{Examine Wall} 

 

{Close-up on the wall closest to the body, the words STATION A have been shakily inscribed in a red substance}

 

Hayato: Station A… was Raiko warning us that Kenji was there?

 

Reijiro: Mmph… that seems unlikely… the victim had no way of knowing of his whereabouts… unless of course she had something to do with his aggression.

 

Hayato: But then… why did she write that? Aren’t dying messages supposed to be about something crucial ?

 

Reijiro: A dying message huh… yes that could be what this is.

 

Hayato: Are you… doubting that she wrote this right before her death? It’s blood after all isn’t it?

 

Reijiro: No actually… that substance is not blood… a simple whiff will tell you that this is… ink.

 

Hayato: Ink?

 

Reijiro: Correct… that strong chemical smell belongs to an oil based ink… like this one.

 

{Close-up on a small red vial} 

 

Hayato: Where did you find this!?

 

Reijiro: It was simply left here on the control table… I believe I saw such vials in Station B… that must be where she found it.

 

Hayato: So she wrote that message with red ink before her death… but why point us to Station A?

 

Reijiro: Sadly… I cannot say that I hold the answer to that question yet. We must keep searching and we maybe we will figure that out later.

 

Station A huh… for Raiko to spend her last few moments writing that note it must have had some importance…

 

What did you mean Raiko…? What are you trying to tell me?

 

{RAIKO’S DYING MESSAGE added to truth bullets} 

 

 

I think that might all the clues-

 

*Drip*

 

Huh…?

 

*Drip* *Drip*

 

Something’s dripping… from the ceiling?

 

Hayato: Reijiro, did you hear that?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} It seems to be coming from up there but… is that…?

 

*Drip*

 

A red… liquid…

 

Wait… don’t tell me that’s-

 

Hayato: AHHHHHH!!!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What happened!? Why are you screaming?

 

Hayato: There’s… blood dripping from up there!

 

I thought it was water… that’s why I didn’t mind it dripping next to me but this… what the fuck is going on!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} What are you saying!? Why would there be blood falling from the ceiling!? That makes no sense!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And yet… I believe he may be right!

 

Terrified… I looked up and saw…

 

{Camera shifts to see the submarine’s ceiling, however with the way the room has been lit and because of the ceiling’s cylindrical shape, nothing can be seen}

 

Hayato: Why… why is it so dark up there?

 

Fusume: The only source of light in the control room comes from the back of the room… I believe this room’s structure is what makes the ceiling this dark.

 

Reijiro: We must find a way to enlighten the ceiling… if blood is dripping from up there then we have to see where its coming from!

 

Fusume: Our electro IDs have a flashlight function! Let me just get it out and then we might be able to see more clearly!

 

 

We waited for Fusume to turn her table on and when the lights finally came on… we saw:

 

{The light points to a large blood splatter on the ceiling} 

 

Hayato: AHHH!

 

Fusume: WH-What is that!?

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hayato: There’s b-blood… on the ceiling!? How is that possible?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I… I have no idea… the splatter’s huge… I have no idea how that much blood could have gotten there.

 

This… this makes no sense! There’s got to be some sort of explanation!

 

Hayato: Could… could it have been splattered up there when she was stabbed?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} No… that is not possible considering how much blood there is…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Furthermore… if blood sprayed out of the victim when she was stabbed then there should also be blood on the walls…

 

Reijiro: In our case… blood is only present on the ceiling and on the floor…

 

Fusume: {Confident} This… is truly bizarre.

 

How are they not more freaked out by this!?

 

I don’t understand this… how did such a big blood stain make its way up there…?

 

It’s not like she was walking on the ceiling… was she?

 

{UNUSUAL BLOOD SPLATTER added to truth bullets} 

 

{Talk to Fusume}

 

Hayato: So Fusume… is there anything you can add to the file this time around?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hm… I don’t think so… I have to say it seems pretty complete this time around.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} If anything, that does tell us about Kurozo’s work ethic.

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} I’ve heard you two talk about the depth of the wounds and I have to agree with Reijiro…

 

Fusume: The trident was thrust into Raiko with a lot of strength…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Moreover, the bruises and contusions on Raiko’s arms, chest and face do seem to point at brute force being at play here.

 

Hayato: So you’re confident that Raiko and her attacker fought before she was finally stabbed in the back.

 

Fusume: Correct… the room as a whole also seems to indicate that there was some sort of a brawl in here.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The chairs have been knocked over… and the items on the shelves in the cabin also seem to have been messed with.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Either there was an earthquake in here that we don’t know about… or there’s been a serious fight in this submarine!

 

Fusume’s strong stance on this subject definitely makes the hypothesis more believable.

 

She has enough expertise for her thoughts to be trusted…

 

The chaos in the submarine… it proves that the killer and Raiko fought in here… and the killer ended up with the upper hand.

 

But… is there anybody here who could actually beat her in a fight…?

 

There’s something else at play here… and we’ll need to figure out exactly what that is!

 

{THE FILE has been updated} 

 

{FUSUME’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets} 

 

{Talk to Reijiro} 

 

Hayato: Everything okay Reijiro…? You look like you have a lot on your mind.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… yes, do forgive me. I was simply thinking back to what happened in here a few days ago with that shipwreck.

 

Hayato: The… shipwreck?

 

{Flashback}

 

She turned to Reijiro for help but he looked to be elsewhere, he pointed at the porthole… a horrified expression on his face.

 

I shifted my stance to look at what he was pointing and saw…

 

{A large wooden shipwreck is blocking the path of the submarine}

 

Hayato: G-Guys!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Where… where did that thing come from!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} We need to avoid it!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Kenji, come back here!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} W-We're going too fast, we're going to crash into it!!!

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} N-No! Do something!

 

He rushed back to the commands as the monstrous shape of the shipwreck got bigger and bigger.

 

Kenji: {Panicked} There's no time…

 

Fusume: NO!!

 

Kenji: FUCKING DAMMIT!

 

Kenji: {Panicked} Predicted impact in 3… 2…

 

I watched helpless, there was nothing any of us could do to avoid the obstacle…

 

I just braced myself for the crash and closed my eyes.

 

 

Is this the end…?

 

After everything that's happened… is this really how we die?

 

I held my breath, expecting the worst.

 

 

 

 

Nothing…

 

Nothing at all?

 

What happened…? Did we avoid it!?

 

I opened my eyes and saw…

 

{The shipwreck seems to have disappeared from the porhole's field of vision}

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I still cannot comprehend what happened that night… the fact that we are still alive defies every possible law of physics…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I saw it… with my own two eyes… and yet, it is like it never existed at all…

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Did I imagine it all…? Was I going crazy?

 

Hayato: No that can’t be it… we all saw it… that shipwreck was definitely there.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Then how…?

 

Hayato: I don’t know… but something tells me that there’s some sort of foul play involved here!

 

Reijiro: Foul… play?

 

Hayato: This submarine… this whole motive… there must be something special about it right?

 

Hayato: Maybe this has got something to do with the submarine’s secret… wouldn’t you say?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… intriguing…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I suppose that might be a possibility, yes.

 

This whole accident might be unrelated to Raiko’s death… but I should keep it in mind… just in case.

 

{DISAPPEARING SHIPWRECK added to truth bullets}

 

 

 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Anything else you care to examine in here?

 

Hayato: No, I think we’ve covered most of what I wanted to check out.

 

And I still have no idea who the killer is… it couldn’t have been that easy could it?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} If that is the case then I propose we take a quick look at the cabin before heading back to surface level… I believe the hangar will be of interest.

 

Hayato: Yep… let’s do that.

 

I have a few people to talk to in the cabin… I should get to that and then move on to the hangar.

 

Reijiro’s right… both the blackened and Raiko must have passed by the hangar to get here… which means we take the time necessary to examine it!

 

For now, let’s wrap up the investigation of the submarine.

 

{Move to Submarine - Cabin} 

 

{Talk to Kôzuke} 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} H-Hey guys… what’s p-popping?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph…

 

Hayato: We’re… alright Kôzuke, if that’s what you’re asking.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} S-Sorry… I’m finding it h-hard to stay grounded… th-this feels s-so surreal.

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I’m b-being useless again man!

 

Reijiro: {Comprehensive smile} It’s okay… we understand your confusion but it would be quite helpful if you could tell us if you have found anything of importance right now.

 

Wow… where did that come from?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} R-Right… you’re right.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I did find this on the floor here man…

 

{Close-up on a black key inside Kôzuke’s hand} 

 

Hayato: That key… could it be?

 

Kôzuke: I’m pretty sure that it’s Raiko’s masterkey man!

 

Reijiro: Mmph… how interesting!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I mean… what other key do we know of? I’m pretty sure the only key that this could be is the masterkey!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} My logic makes sense… r-right man!?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… yes, I cannot think of any other key that this could be…

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} Additionally… it would make sense for the victim’s key to be here… correct?

 

Hayato: Yes… I suppose so.

 

Raiko dropped her precious key…? I guess it’s possible… but I don’t think she’d willingly let go of her reward that easily…

 

I wonder what made her drop it…

 

Either way… knowing that both Station A’s and the marinebiology lab’s doors were manually locked from the outside means this key might be important after all. 

 

{RAIKO'S MASTERKEY added to truth bullets}

 

{Talk to Jessie} 

 

Jessie: {Waving} Heya Hayato-kun and… Reijiro-kun?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} What an unlikely pair…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} We know, we know… you see, we are only teaming up because he insisted…

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up with smile} Of course, that's typical Hayato-kun!

 

WHAT!?

 

Hayato: Hey, Reijiro… you've really got to stop doing stuff like that… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Heh… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Well… I'm guessing that you two came to me to see if I had information for you n'est ce pas? 



Reijiro: {Sly grin} Your guess is valid… every good investigation must include getting everyone's take on the matter. 

 

That is the most "unReijiro" thing he's said all day… I guess he really is changing isn't he?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Well about that… it's nothing groundbreaking or anything… but I do think I've noticed something that's a bit… seltsam.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Something peculiar huh? Tell us about it?

 

Jessie: {Excited} Oh my… Reijiro-kun! I didn't know you could speak german. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Natürlich

 

Hayato: Guys, I feel left out here. 

 

Jessie: {Thumbs up with smile} Sorry about that Hayato-kun… I'll skip the linguistics and just get straight to the facts here. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} This whole crime scene… it doesn't make any sense does it…? Logically speaking. 

 

Hayato: Wait, what are you talking about here? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You mean… you had not noticed?

 

Hayato: N-No… is that what you were talking about when you said this case was intricate?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… I see. 

 

Jessie: {Excited} It's okay Hayato-kun, I'll explain it for you! 

 

Jessie: Oh man… I feel smart today!

 

Hayato: Yes, Yes well done… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Sorry… I'll just get to it… the problem with the submarine is that it's a real locked room scenario right? Just like for Rina-chan's death!

 

Hayato: A… locked room? How so? 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Think of it this way… the submarine was found underwater right? 

 

Hayato: Right… 

 

Jessie: And the killer had to escape the submarine at some point… since there was no one but Raiko in the submarine when we found it. 

 

Hayato: Sure… 

 

Jessie: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} But then… shouldn't the inside of the submarine be like… flooded?

 

Hayato: It should… wait… WHAT!?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} So you've finally realised huh… 

 

How… did I not think of this…? 

 

Hayato: How was I so stupid…?

 

Reijiro: {Amused} Do not sell yourself short… you've had many brighter moments in your life. 

 

Thanks?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Yes… you do raise an important point… the fact that it is completely dry inside the submarine creates a real paradox… there was no way for the killer to escape other than through the hatch… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And since the submarine was found under water, opening that hatch would have completely flodded the submarine from the inside. 

 

Hayato: And that means we're faced with an impossible situation. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Yes… a vanishing murderer if you prefer. 

 

Jessie: {Excited} Hey, I've contributed! This might be one of the proudest moments of my life!

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} And we are very thankful for that contribution… you have been helpful. 

 

D-Dammit… another locked impossible room mystery, it was already terribly tough to understand how Yoshi did his thing… and now we've got to do it all over again… and this time it seems to be even less possible. 

 

All the signs of struggle inside the submarine mean that there was definitely was a second party in there… so how exactly did they escape?

 

This is bad… I don't understand anything… 

 

{STATE OF SUBMARINE added to truth bullets} 

 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} We have spoken to everyone in the submarine and investigated every lead… are you ready to head back to the surface?

 

Hayato: Y-Yes… let's do that. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Very well then… follow me. {Leaves} 

 

And so we leave the crime scene… with so many more questions than before… 

 

A gruesome murder… a violent fight and a phantom assassin… 

 

How on earth am I supposed to solve this…?

 

 

I should keep trying for now… we have no other choice!

 

{Move to Hangar} 

 

{Scene opens on Hangar, Shinto is here} 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I believe we will find points of interest in this hangar… let us be thorough. 

 

Hayato: Yes… let's. 

 

Hopefully, we'll find some answers to those questions…

 

Please, god. 

 

{Examine Ladder} 

 

Hayato: Hey, Reijiro take a look at this…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… a step-ladder. 

 

Hayato: Um… no… that's quite clearly a ladder…

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} You really think that I am foolish enough not to be able to tell the difference between two objects?

 

Hayato: I mean… no… but you're clearly wrong here. A stepladder has two separate ladder bits… this is a ladder. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Your confused explanation does naught but prove that you know not of what you speak. 

 

Hayato: … You're wrong dammit! 

 

Reijiro: {Amused} Did you point this stepladder out simply to ridicule yourself?

 

Hayato: N-No! I think it's important to the case!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I see… please proceed. 

 

Hayato: Well… as you saw earlier, the ladder had been put away in storage when we entered the hangar earlier. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… and that means that the true killer must have put it away right? Considering that when they entered the submarine it was necessarily left in position. 

 

Hayato: Yeah… that's my thinking! It proves that someboy definitely came out of the submarine after Raiko and the murderer entered it! 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Mmph… the plot thickens… this makes the case of our vanishing culprit even more complex does it not. 

 

Hayato: Sure does… wait, is that… 

 

{Closeup on the stepladder, a small bloodstain can be seen on one of the rungs} 

 

Hayato: Is that blood?

 

Reijiro: Yes… it appears that you have found yet another bloodstain. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: This… this proves that the killer is the one who put this ladder away right?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… I believe so… well done. 

 

Good… we've found proof that somebody definitely left that submarine after Raiko's death… the question that remains is… how?

 

{BLOODY LADDER added to truth bullets} 

 

{Examine Security camera}

 

Hayato: Hang on a second… Reijiro, what did Kurozo say about that security camera in front of the staircase?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… of course, that much might be crucial…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} As another safety precaution, you may have noticed a camera in the staircase… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hey! I was about to ask you about that!

 

Kurozo: That camera will automatically take pictures of anybody who uses the staircase and send them to the computer lab! 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} And before you ask… yes, this is the only way to the Discovery Center, meaning you’ll have full knowledge of who enters and leaves the place at all times!

 

Hm… this camera system seems to work similarly to the one in the isolation room… I guess it could be helpful… just in case. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: That staircase's the only way down to the hangar… which means that it must have taken a picture of the murderer as they made their way downstairs! 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And if that is the case… we might be able to crack the case there and then!

 

Hayato: Kurozo!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} What do you want!?

 

Hayato: Wow… where's this negative energy coming from, buddy?

 

Kurozo: {Opens book adjusts glasses} One of you kids damaged the clamp that lowers the submarine into the water… yet another act of sabotage!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} Is that the only way the youth has for expressing their disagreement? Destroying my material!?

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} I should have you all executed for this!

 

Hayato: Let's uh… not take any rash decisions here… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The clamp was… damaged you say?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Nothing major… it's too sturdy to be messed with but its the thought that count… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} Which means I know one of you tried to sabotage my motive!

 

We saw earlier that the safety wire had also been sabotaged… 

 

Whatever happened here, I think the killer tried making sure we'd have a hard time finding the submarine… this feels like it's important. 

 

{DAMAGED CLAMP added to truth bullets} 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Now, if you'll excuse me I have work. 

 

Hayato: Wait! We haven't gotten to ask you what we wanted to!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Then get to it already… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You told us that this security camera automatically takes picture of anybody who takes those stairs correct?

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} And let me guess… you want access to last night's pictures!

 

Hayato: Yeah, you got it… 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} But… would that not make it a bit too easy…? You know if those pictures just showed you the killer… where's the fun of the class trial there?

 

Hayato: Please Kurozo… we really need this… 

 

Considering the fact that I have zero conclusive leads on who the killer is so far. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Fine… I'll get them developped and give them to you before the trial starts…

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Now, if you'll excuse me. {Disappears} 

 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I suppose we must move on to something else for the moment. 

 

Still… this could be huge… I can't wait for those pictures to be developped. 

 

Could we finally get an easy trial for once?

 

{Examine Safety Wire} 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Just like Kurozo just told us… the safety wires seems to have been sawed through. 

 

Hayato: Yeah… why do you suppose they'd do that?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Who know… perhaps they hoped that if they disconnected the submarine from the dock, it have been carried away by the current… and thus leaving us with a victimless crime. 

 

Hayato: That would have been pretty unsolvable… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Luckily for us… it looks like that plan failed. 

 

Yeah… we're lucky alright… we would have had no chance to make it through the trial if we hadn't been able to investigate the submarine. 

 

Still… this clearly shows the culprit's intention… it really is starting to feel like this crime was heavily premeditated…

 

{SABOTAGED SAFETY WIRE added to truth bullets} 

 

{Examine Fire Hydrant} 

 

Hayato: Hey… is it me or is that fire hydrant slightly bent?

 

Reijiro: Hmm… {Sly grin} I believe it is you. 

 

Hayato: Wh-What…?

 

Reijiro: I cannot say that I see anything out of the ordinary here…

 

Hayato: Oh uh… my bad. 

 

I don't think that I'm imagining things… I'm pretty sure that hydrant's shape has changed slightly since we last saw it… 

 

But if Reijiro doesn't consider it important, maybe I should let it go for now… I have enough on my plate already. 

 

{Talk to Shinto} 

 

Hayato: Hey there Shinto.

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} … 

 

Hayato: Shinto!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} S-Sorry, did you say something? 

 

Reijiro: {Comprehensive smile} You seem… deep in though. Care to share?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Sorry… I'm trying my best to stay focused… but I've got a lot on my mind here. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} There is… one thing that I can't wrap my brain around though. 

 

Shinto: It's about Rule #15. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} That's the rule that concerns the submarine and the hangar correct?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Yeah… I'm having trouble with the part that says that you can't enter the hangar once the submarine is in motion. 

 

Hayato: That was a pretty central aspect of the hangar's concept yes… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} But… if that's the case doesn't that mean that Raiko and the killer must have basically entered the hangar at the same time?

 

That's… true actually!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Perhaps not at the same time but… at least before the submarine was engaged. 

 

Hayato: That means that Raiko and the blackened agreed to enter the submarine together right?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} That does seem out of character for the victim to just accept somebody to accompany them… 

 

Shinto: {Points to cast, sad} That's all I have for now… sorry. 

 

Hayato: Don't appologise Shinto! You've raised an interesting point!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} A-Alright… I'll continue to do my best then!

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I cannot fail… not now.

 

Raiko and her killer entered the submarine together huh…? There must have been a reason for that… and I intend to figure it out!

 

{RULE #15 added to truth bullets}

 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I believe that does it for the hangar… don't you?

 

Hayato: Yes… I think we're done here. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Sadly… this is where I believe our paths diverge. 

 

Hayato: You're leaving me?

 

Reijiro: {Comprehensive smile} Yes… I have my own business to attend to now… I shall keep you posted of my discoveries. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Rest assured… I believe our investigation has been quite successful so far… 

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} and I could not have done it without you… so thank you. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Our collaboration has been quite enjoyable… {Leaves} 

 

He left before I got a chance to thank him in return…

 

That was… unusually sweet from him. 

 

Reijiro really is full of surprises isn't he?

 

 

Well… I should make use of this time alone to be more efficient. We have covered the most important areas in depth… now it's time to accelerate. I still have many places to inspect… and not much time.

 

First things first… there's one more thing I want to examine here.

 

{Examine Locked Door} 

 

*Click* *Click*

 

Yep… still locked… 

 

Just wanted to make sure that this door hadn't been open since last time… 

 

I guess it really is quite a pointless door. 

 

Kurozo: {Appears} You know the saying… a locked door will never go further… than a locked door!

 

Hayato: And uh… what does that mean exactly?

 

Kurozo: Perhaps you should figure that one out for yourself heheh… {Leaves} 

 

As I said… pointless. 

 

 

Now that that's done… I should get out of here… there are other rooms in this building that I should focus on!

 

{Move to Blue Building - 1st Floor} 

 

It feels like… something's missing here… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I’m sure you have tons of questions… I shall answer them in due time. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} What the hell was that noise when we walked through the door. 

 

Kurozo: You don’t get the concept of waiting do you…? 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} I suppose it cannot be helped… that sound was what I like to call the Jules Vernes Jingle! 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} That jingle will play whenever the door leading to this hangar is opened from the outside! That way you will know exactly who comes down here at all times! 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Right… the jingle only plays when the door's opened from the outside… that's why it didn't ring just then. 

 

I suppose I should remember that this thing exists… 

 

{JULES VERNES JINGLE added to truth bullets} 

 

{Move to Computer lab} 

 

{Oriana and Reijiro are here} 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Heh… we meet again. 

 

Hayato: Already…? What were you up to? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I suppose I will come clean to you… I have not been completely honest. 

 

Hayato: You… haven't?

 

Oh no… where is this going? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} You see… I suspected that something might happen… call it intuition… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Which is why I set up a little trap in this building. 

 

Hayato: A trap!? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Correct… I set up a hidden camera on the second floor a few days back… and now that we know that Station A might be a place of interest… this will surely come to be useful!

 

Hayato: Reijiro… this is huge!

 

First the security cameras that might show us the killer's face and now this which could tell us who assaulted Kenji… this is amazing!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Indeed it is… I was about to examine the camera's contents… you are welcome to join me.

 

Hayato: You bet your ass I'll join you!

 

What will it show us… I wonder… 

 

 

Reijiro took the camera and connected it to one of the monitors. He set the time to 22:00 and we started watching the accelerated feed. 

 

It wasn't long until… something unexpected happened. 

 

{Raiko enters the shot} 

 

Reijiro: That… that is the victim! 

 

Hayato: Raiko… was on the second floor…? What was she doing here?

 

{Suddenly, she turns around and stares straight into the camera} 

 

Reijiro: A-Ah! Did she notice the camera?

 

Oh no… 

 

{She slowly approaches the camera, her face contorted in her usual evil smile before the screen goes black} 

 

Hayato: N-NO! What happened?

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hayato: Did she turn it off?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} No… listen closely… the sound is still on. I suppose she simply covered the camera lens… 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} That… wicked girl… she really thought of everything did she not…?

 

Raiko… covered the camera lense… supposedly to hide what she was doing… but why? What does this mean dammit!?

 

Hayato: I guess your trap is somewhat ruined…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} No… wait! We might be able to rely on sound to get some clue of what's happening here!

 

Hayato: Maybe…

 

Reijiro: Silence!

 

I nodded and decided to keep my mouth shut… sound really is all we have left here. 

 

And so I listened…

 

" …

 

 

*Creak*

 

 

???: What the-

 

*THUD*

 

 

*Creak*

 

 

*Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*Ding Dong Ding Dong*

 

 

 

*Ding Dong Ding Dong*"

 

… 

 

After that, silence. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Well… that was quite the cacophony.

 

Hayato: Did you get anything from that…?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Why yes… the audio does somewhat salvage that recording… I think we can get a pretty good idea of what happened on the second floor from sound alone. 

 

Hayato: We can!?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… indeed… I shall let you think about that for now… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I got what I wanted here… farewell. {Leaves} 

 

 

Well… consider me confused. 

 

I have no idea what to take away from all that noise… but I guess it's a good thing that Reijiro knows what he's doing. 

 

Either way, I should try to remember about this 

 

{REIJIRO'S HIDDEN CAMERA added to truth bullets} 

 

{Examine Monitor} 

 

These monitors… they're all identical and frankly quite pointless without access to internet. 

 

The only useful aspect of these computers was that livestream… 

 

Wait!

 

If you could stream what was happening in the submarine live… doesn't that mean that technically somebody could have been witness to the murder from here?

 

No… no, that can't be right… if one of us had witnessed Raiko's death, they would have spoken up already surely… right?

 

{SUBMARINE LIVESTREAM added to truth bullets} 

 

{Talk to Oriana}

 

Oriana: {Trembles} H-Hey… there. 

 

Oriana… somebody locked her inside the marinebiology lab all night… that means she might have something interesting to tell me about!

 

Hayato: Oriana… do you mind walking me through what happened again please?

 

Oriana: {Shy look} S-Sure… if that's h-helpful to you, I d-don't mind. 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughful expression} As I said earlier… I had trouble f-falling asleep… s-so I d-decided to make myself u-useful and g-get s-some research done for the n-next dive. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I arrived there at a-around… the n-night time announcement… 

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} B-But… once I got there… I s-suddenly grew v-very tired and I uh… f-fell asleep!

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} I w-woke up a few hours later and in my c-confusion I br-broke a uh… b-beaker. 

 

Hayato: You broke… a beaker?

 

Oriana: {Crying} I'm s-sorry! I h-hit it with my uh… e-elbow… right after I w-woke up!

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} I think the uh… c-commotion brought attention onto me… and that's wh-when I heard that uh… c-clicking sound!

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} And j-just like that I'd been locked in! 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I panicked f-for a little while b-before falling asleep from e-exhaustion! 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} I w-woke up again when y-you guys came r-running in the b-building… and Fusume freed m-me then. 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} That's uh… a-all there is t-to know… I think. 

 

Hayato: Alright… thank you Oriana, that was useful!

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} G-Glad to have uh… h-helped!

 

{ORIANA'S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets} 

 

 

I don't think I have much else to examine in the computer lab… I should move on. 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 1st floor} 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 2nd floor} 

 

{Move to Station A} 

 

{Kenji is here} 

 

{Talk to Kenji} 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} 'Sup… you done with that investigatin' already?

 

Hayato: No… actually, I wanted to ask you a few questions. 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} I don't think you understood me the first time dog… I'm not interested in participating!

 

Hayato: I'm not asking you to participate! I just need 5 minutes of your time!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Interrogating me is basically making me participate dude… and that's not happening. 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} I want nothing to do with the investigation! 

 

Hayato: You… you're really not going to help us at all!?

 

Hayato: You realize that your life is also on the line here right?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Eh… that doesn't really matter does it? 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} Now shoo! I don't have anything to say to you! 

 

Hayato: Kenji… you can't be serious!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Let me put it another way… get the fuck out of my face before I show you how serious I am… 

 

 

Left without much of a choice… I left Station A. 

 

{Auto-move to Blue Building - 2nd Floor} 

 

Well that was… quite depressing… 

 

Kenji seems to have completely given up here… he acts like it's out of indifference… but I have my doubts. 

 

Still… this is annoying… it would have definitely been interesting to get his take on the whole affair… as well as to take a look at Station A. It could have given me some lead about his aggression. 

 

I suppose I'll have to do without all that then… moving on-

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato! You're going to want to see this!

 

Hayato: Hikari…? What's going on?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I've found something… follow me.

 

Without a second of hesitation, I ran after Hikari who had already left. 

 

Where is she taking me?

 

{Auto-move to Station C} 

 

And yet again… I walked into a room and stumbled on a sight that I never could have expected. 

 

{Station C has been completely ransacked. Most of the stuffed animals have been knocked over and the shelves are a complete mess} 

 

Hayato: What the hell happened here?

 

Hikari: No idea… I just walked in on this…

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: It looks like a hurricane passed through here… this is bizarre.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Such a mess can't be accidental right…? Somebody came here and wrecked the place…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} It looks like whoever did this was desperately looking for something and created a huge mess in the process. 

 

Yeah… that's right… somebody created this mess on purpose… but why? 

 

Why Station C, the stuffed animals room, of all places?

 

There's no way this isn't related to the case is there?

 

{WRECKED STATION C added to truth bullets}

 

{Talk to Hikari} 

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} This room was already pretty nightmarish when it was tidy… but this is somehow worse. 

 

Hayato: Station C put aside, do you have anything for me Hikari? 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Well, I did try to investigate for myself… but I don't think I've found anything that you wouldn't have thought of. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} It's been generally unsuccessful for me Hayato… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I event ried to develop the pictures I'd taken in the last few days… but even that failed! I don't even know what went wrong!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I was only able to salvage one picture… but it seems pretty pointless to me. 

 

Hayato: EIther way, I'd like to see that picture Hikari… if that's okay with you. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Oh uh… sure… if you want. 

 

{Close-up on the photograph, it's been taken from inside the submarine's control room. The control table can be seen in its entirety. Furthermore, the hangar as seen through the porthole is displayed, namely the fire hydrant, safety wire and the Monokuma painting on the far wall can all be seen quite clearly} 

 

Hikari: I took it before my first dive… to save the memory y'know… but I don't think it's useful at all… there's nothing that could be remotely connected to our case here!

 

That picture…

 

Hayato: Hikari… would you mind if I kept that picture?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You want to… keep it? Yeah, sure, knock yourself out!

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful} Did you find something…? Or are you just trying to make me happy?

 

There's something odd in that photograph… I just can't quite put my finger on it… 

 

{HIKARI'S PHOTOGRAPH added to truth bullets} 

 

 

*Ding Dong Bing Bong*

 

{Monitor in the room turns on}

 

Kurozo: Time's up… I believe you should be done with your investigations by now… and since I make the rules, that means you are definitely done. 

 

Kurozo: The class trial will begin promptly, please make your way to the aula in the Black Building. 

 

Kurozo: I shall be waiting for you there!

 

{Monitor turns off} 

 

I think that's our cue… but before anything else… I think it'd be wise to make a mental note of what I remember from what happened since Jessie woke me up… 

 

Now that there are only nine of us left… I believe remembering who was where when we discovered the body could be useful in getting a clearer picture in my head!

 

I just need… to remember. 

 

{MY RECOLLECTION OF EVENTS added to truth bullets} 

 

Alright, I shouldn't make everybody wait… 

 

It's time to head to the trial grounds… 

 

{Auto-move to Black Building - Aula}

 

{Scene opens, everybody is present} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} It seems that we're all here… I hope you all investigated to the best of your abilities… we are going to need everybody in there! 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Everybody… huh?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I can vouch for myself… my investigation was as good as it could ever be. 

 

Jessie: That's uh… good Shinto-kun, here's a pat on the back for ya!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Kenji… you're here. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Yeah… turns out I don't have a choice but to attend… 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed expression} Don't expect me to participate though… I'll just be watching from the sidelines!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} As I've said before, I bear no ill-will against this case's blackened… whoever you are, you did us a great favor by getting rid of the scum. 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} Shut up… just shut up already man!!!

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} I have arrived… and right before another petty argument it seems. 

 

Kôzuke: {Graps medals} This… isn't petty!

 

Kurozo: No matter all that… I shall summon the elevator to the trial grounds… but first, I have something for you, Hayato. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hayato-kun? You're in cahoots with Kurozo now?

 

Hayato: Me… no! Of course not!

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} Hayato asked me to develop the pictures from the Jules Vernes Staircase's security camera… and here they are, three photographs, in the order in which they were taken. 

 

Three pictures… that means… we'll see at least one person other than Raiko!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Those pictures… they could show us the killer's face right?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} N-No way!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} If that's the case, let's look at them already!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Feast your eyes upon those!

 

{Close-up on the first picture, Raiko can be seen walking down the stairs} 

 

Kôzuke: That's… Raiko!

 

Reijiro: Indeed… this shot must have been taken when the victim made her way to the hangar. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} That's not what matters here… we must take a look at the other pictures!

 

{Second picture is shown, a hooded individual of very tall stature is walking down the stairs. It's position looks rigid, with its shoulders spread apart and both feet firmly positioned on the steps. The figure's face cannot be seen. 

 

Oriana: Is th-that the killer!?

 

Kôzuke: But… we can't see their face man!

 

Fusume: Argh… the face doesn't matter here… there's only one person it could be. 

 

Jessie: R-Really?

 

Reijiro: First things first, let us examine the final picture!

 

{Third picture is shown, the same hooded figure is walking back up the stairs. Its position is similar to that of the second picture. Its face is still not visible} 

 

Kôzuke: W-Wow… here they are… emerging from the hangar… after having committed their crime!

 

Fusume: There's no more doubts about it… are there?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

{SECURITY FOOTAGE added to truth bullets} 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} This is… troubling… 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} S-Sorry but what are you t-talking about exactly?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Yeah man! We can't see that person's face in those pictures… do they really tell us anything… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} They do tell us… everything. 

 

I can't believe it… I was expecting some trick here… but I think those pictures might actually show us the true killer… and it's not hard to recognise who this figure is… despite how hard they're trying to conceal their identity. 

 

Jessie: What does that mean?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} The person in those photographs… it must be Kenji. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Me!? What the fuck are you talking about?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Judging by the size and stature of the hooded figure… you are indeed the only possible suspect. 

 

Reijiro: There is not a single person here with a height similar to yours!

 

Kenji: {Furious} That's fucking bullshit! I was knocked unconscious… and locked in Station A, remember?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} So you say… but what I see here speaks volumes… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Unless you can explain these pictures… I'm afraid this doesn't look good for you. 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Kenji… you're the only one who went to the hangar other than Raiko… that means that… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} You must be the killer!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Fuck all of you! I didn't do shit this time!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} That's enough! You shall keep the accusations for the class trial.

 

Kurozo: That's what it was made for after all… 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} The doors to the elevator are open… you know what to do! I shall see you all downstairs! {Disappears} 

 

Shinto: {Emotionless} … {Leaves} 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} There… isn't any doubt… is there?

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} These motherfuckers… don't know anything… {Leaves} 

 

Everybody gradually made their way inside the elevator… but before I started moving, I felt a soft hand on my shoulder. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hayato-kun… it might be nothing… but I think I've noticed something unusual about those security pictures…

 

Hayato: You have!? Why didn't you tell the whole group?

 

Jessie: {Bites nail} I… don't know who to trust anymore… but I have faith in you, I know you'll make good use of this. 

 

Hayato: Wow, Jessie I'm flattered. 

 

Jessie: Quick, look here… at the figure's feet!

 

{Close-up on the hooded person's feet} 

 

Jessie: They're not wearing any shoes!

 

Hayato: H-Hey, you're right! That person's only wearing socks on their feet! That's definitely strange…

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Jessie: {Smile with thumbs up} I told you I had found something interesting!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Now… I don't know what to make of this… but I'm sure you will. {Leaves} 

 

No pressure there huh? 

 

Well… I'm glad she trusted me with her discovery… this figure… IE Kenji's got to have a reason to be walking barefoot… I can only wonder what that'll be for now. 

 

{HOODED FIGURE'S MISSING SHOES added to truth bullets}

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato, are you coming?

 

Hayato: Y-Yes, I'm here!

 

I entered the elevator and the doors closed behind me and the machine started its inevitable descent for a fourth time. 

 

{Camera shows all 9 students in the elevator, all of them look uneasy and nervous}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5HuHnhHxXY)

 

Raiko was complicated… and she tried to make us believe she was evil… 

 

But that was just a mask… just another manipulation from the ultimate schemer…

 

She simply wanted to survive by playing the rest of us… but it appears her final gamble was unsuccessful. 

 

{Camera shows monochrome comic book style close ups of Reijiro, Kôzuke, Yoko, Shinto, Fukami and Raiko. Fukami, Yoko and Raiko have been reddened out}

 

That evil personnality… was just a trick. It was not real… the true Raiko wasn't like that. 

 

The true Raiko was my friend… and I was finally getting close to her. She was finally getting better. 

 

But that positive change was cut short… by one of us.

 

{Camera shows a similar fashion of close-ups of Kenji, Oriana, Jessie, Rina, Fusume and Kyia. Rina and Kyia’s portraits have been reddened out}  

 

We might have been lucky last time around… with everybody making it out of the class trial… but this will be different. 

 

There was no accident here… this murder was carefuly crafted and premeditated… 

 

One of us… consciously made the decision to kill someone… to kill my friend. 

 

{Camera shows Hayato, Hikari, Yoshi and Tadao in the same way, Yoshi and Tadao have been reddened out}

 

I can't accept that… 

 

I can't accept that the murder of my friend goes unpunished… 

 

I know how these things go now… I have to take control of the room, just like Raiko would have done… and I need to solve this case. For her… and for all of us. 

 

Justice will be delivered… and then maybe, just maybe… we might finally live in peace. 

 

Raiko… I swear I'll avenge you… 

 

The only possible outcome is victory…

 

That's right… I'll play the game… and I will win.

 

 

That's the only way! 

Notes:

The investigation wraps up… and many, many questions remain unanswered. I'm excited to read your thoughts and theories on this case! As usual, you can leave them in the comments, or come discuss them on the fic's discord : https://discord.gg/HMvyhdv.

The first part of the class trial should be out in two week's time while the truth bullets chapter will be published next friday.

I hope you're excited for what's to come! I know I am!

Thanks again for reading and see you in the next one ;)

Chapter 47: Chapter 4 : 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea : Truth Bullets

Notes:

As promised, here are the truth bullets for the fourth trial!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“The File”

The victim is Raiko Itake, the Ultimate Schemer, the body was discovered inside the submarine. The estimated time of death is at around 1AM. The victim died of shock after being stabbed by a sharp object. Three identical stab wounds were found on the victim’s back. The body also has many contusions and bruises. Death was close to instantaneous.



Depth of wounds

Raiko’s three stab wounds are quite deep which seems to indicate that the trident was thrust in her back with great strength. 



Broken trident

The murder weapon. Was stored in the submarine as decoration. It was found impaled in Raiko’s back. The trident’s shaft has been broken in two. 



USB Stick

Discovered inside Raiko’s hand. We do not know its contents. Reijiro is keeping hold of it for now. 

 

Piece of brown tape

A piece of strong tape that was found lying on the body. It has lost some of his adhesive properties which means that it was stuck to something and then detached from it. 

 

Inside out umbrella

Raiko’s signature umbrella was found next to her body. It was bent inside out and seems to have been broken in the struggle. 



Raiko’s dying message

The words “STATION A” have been written in red ink on the wall neigbouring the corpse. 



Unusual blood splatter

There is a significantly large blood splatter on the ceiling of the submarine. This splatter seems odd considering that there is no blood on the walls, which means the blood couldn’t have gotten there naturally. 



Fusume’s account

The chaos in both the cabin and the control room indicates that there was some sort of a struggle in the submarine before Raiko’s death. 



Disappearing Shipwreck

On the group’s very first dive, the submarine should have collided with a wooden shipwreck before it seemingly vanished. The impact was avoided and the obstacle had completely disappeared. 



Raiko’s masterkey

As a reward for figuring out an aspect of the submarine’s secret, Raiko was awared a masterkey to the blue building which could open or lock any door which wasn’t previously locked by Kurozo. 



State of Submarine 

The submarine’s cabin and control room were found in quite a chaotic state. It should be noted that the submarine was completely dry on the inside. 



Bloody ladder

The metal ladder that is necessary to reach the submarine was found stored away. A small blood stain was found on one of the rungs. 



Damaged clamp

Kurozo claims that somebody damaged the metallic clamp that holds the submarine in place when it’s not in use. 

 


Sabotaged safety wire

The wire that connected the submarine to the dock in terms of emergency was sectionned off. 



Rule #15

It is forbidden for more than five students to be inside the submarine at once. Additionally, once the ship’s motors have been turned on, the door to the hangar will be locked. Staying inside the hangar while the motor is on is also forbidden.



Jules Vernes Jingle

Everytime the door to the hangar is opened from the outside, a short jingle will be played loud enough to be heard in the entire building. 



Reijiro’s hidden camera

Reijiro planted a camera on the blue building’s second floor. On the night of the incident, Raiko noticed it and put a piece of tape on lens blocking the camera’s view during most of the footage. The only usable part of the footage is its sound. 



Submarine livestream

Every submarine dive was livestreamed on one of the computers in the lab. The stream turned on automatically. 



Oriana’s account

Oriana fell asleep in the marinebiology lab and broke a glass beaker. She was locked in by someone from the outside and was stuck in the lab all night. 



Wrecked Station C

Somebody rummaged through Station C on the night of the murder. All the stuffed animals were knocked over and the room looked like somebody had been frantically searching it for something. 




Hikari’s photograph

Hikari took a picture of the control room during her first dive. The control table can be seen in its entirety. The hangar can also be seen from the porthole with the fire hydrant, safety wire and the Monokuma painting on the far wall can all visible. 



My recollection of events

Jessie woke me up after Kôzuke had gone missing after asking her to help him search for Kenji. She and Shinto stayed in the black building to look for them while Hikari, Fusume, Reijiro and myself went to the blue builiding. When we got there, we heard Oriana banging on the marinebiology lab’s door. Fusume stayed behind to free her while the three of us went to the hangar. We entered the submarine and found the body, right in front of the submarine's control table.

The Body discovery announcement rang and we all met up in the hangar. 




Security footage

Raiko can be seen heading down the stairs in the first picture. In the second and third, a suspiciously large hooded figure is seen on the stairs, its stance somewhat rigid on both photographs. 




Hooded figure’s missing shoes

The hooded figure is walking in socks both pictures. We have not found any shoes in the building. 




Notes:

You now have everything you need to solve this case! As usual, your predictions are welcome (and very appreciated)

First part of the trial should hopefully be out in a week's time however I have to warn you that updates might slow down a little bit in the coming months as exams are approaching fast.

While you're waiting, I'd really appreciate it if you filled this short survey : https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/B5PT6DM

Won't take more than 3 minutes and it would be quite helpful for me!

Thanks for sticking along with the story and see you in the next one ;)

Chapter 48: Chapter 4 : 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea : Class Trial part 1

Notes:

Time for the fourth class trial! Prepare for madness ;)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

We entered the trial grounds and to our suprise… 

 

{Scene opens on the trial grounds, the decoration is very plain. The walls are painted in a deep brown colour. All of Monokuma’s usual glitz is nowhere to be found. His golden chair has been replaced with a comfortable looking leather armchair} 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8)

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} This place… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} It’s s-so… d-different… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… I see… 

 

It’s times like these that I appreciate Kurozo’s sense of simplicity… it’s nice to see that he’s not decorating with the sole purpose of mocking the deceased… 

 

{Camera shifts around to show Raiko’s portrait, a simple red X has been drawn over her face} 

 

Raiko… 

 

Even though she kept most of it to herself… I suppose it was somewhat reassuring to know that she generally knew what was going on. 

 

I could rely on her to help me see the full picture… in case I wasn’t good enough… 

 

But now… she’s gone… and I’ll have to solve this case by myself. 

 

There’s no room for mistakes anymore… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato… are you feeling quite alright?

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Y-Yeah sorry! I’m fine. 

 

I need to stay focused here… 

 

Come on Hayato… you can do this. 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Greetings students!

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} I see that my choice of furniture has left you all somewhat flabberghasted… 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} We’ve gotten used to Monokuma’s taste in decoration… this is… a welcome change. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} I don’t think I could have taken any more neon colours at this stage. 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} I c-couldn’t even think properly because of all that flashy stuff… 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Tcheh… like that was the problem… 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I’m glad to hear that you enjoy my style… your comfort is of the upmost important to me!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Our comfort huh…? And yet you’re forcing us to kill each other… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} Why hang on to such minute details!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Murder… a minute detail?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Fusume-chan! I think he’s just trying to get under your skin!

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} … 

 

Yep… and it looks like he’s managed to do just that.

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Come on now… get to your seats. We haven’t got all day. 

 

 

The silence in the room made it clear that nobody was going to oppose him this time around. 

 

We made our way our podiums and stood there… silently, waiting for the trial to begin. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} …

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} …

 

Oriana: {Crying} …

 

Jessie: {Sad} …

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} …

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} …

 

Nobody said anything… 

 

What were we supposed to say anyway? 

 

How do we do this…?

 

Even after three trials… this still feels incomprehensible… 

 

 

I don’t want to do this… 

 

And yet… 

 

{Close-up on Raiko’s portrait} 

 

I have no choice… we have to get through this hellish trial once more… 

 

… 

 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Ahem… if you’re all done daydreaming, I believe it is time to start the trial. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} R-Right… 

 

Oriana: {Crying} I uh… I d-don’t want to! 

 

Jessie: {Wiping tears} It’s okay Oriana-chan… we’ll be fine… 

 

Jessie: We’ll… be okay… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Enough with the dilly-dallying… let’s get this shit rolling. 

 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Now… how does it go…? Oh Right!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Before anything else, let me give you a little refresher on the rules of this trial.

 

Kurozo: When you’ve reached a decision, you will vote on “whodunnit” thanks to the tablets in front of you.  

 

Kurozo: The outcome of the trial depends on your votes: If you get it correct, then the blackened alone is executed for disrupting order.

 

Kurozo: However, if you get it wrong… Then the real culprit will leave the resort unharmed, and all the remaining residents will be executed instead.

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} I can only hope that I have made myself clear… 

 

Kurozo: If there are no questions… you may begin with your discussions. 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Different animal… same speech huh?

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} I’m a sucker for protocol you see… It would be very disappointing for everyone involved if we changed our explanation of the class trial right-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Stop talking.

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Such disrespect… how cute. 

 

Hayato: Are you done?

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} What’s wrong Mister Seiki? You want me to be quiet do you? Of course… of course… this is your time to shine after all isn’t it?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Wh-What are you talking about?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Time for you to put that mask on once more… 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} A mask…?

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Oh… I’m sure you know what I’m alluding to… or have you forgotten our little chat?

 

He… he’s talking about… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You did well today. 

 

Hayato: I did? 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Yes… the entire class survives thanks to your insight. 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} I just hope that you’ll realise soon enough that this is not fiction!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} What…?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You come here with such confidence… determined and grinning when you identify a murderer… but you forget that you’re not the detective in a novel… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} These are real lives you’re dealing with… and you’re just playing a role… living your detective fantasies!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Kurozo’s… toying with me again…!

 

He’s wrong… whatever he’s saying is completly ridiculous!

 

It’s not like I’m getting a kick out of these trials… just because I write crime novels doesn’t mean that this is some sort of fantasy for me…

 

He’s… fucking wrong!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hayato-kun! Don’t let his mean words get to you okay!?

 

Hayato: Jessie?

 

Jessie: {Searches through backpack} Now’s not the time to get flustered… you need to stay focused! Même si c’est difficile!

 

She… she’s right. 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Nice try Kurozo… but you won’t get the better of me that easily!

 

Hayato: {Determined} I’ll crack this case… and we’ll make it through your stupid fucking trial!

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Eh… it was worth a shot… I do appreciate the confidence

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} It’ll make it that much more satisfying when you eventually crumble…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’ve said your piece Kurozo… now let us continue without further interruption. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Alright, alright… I’ll just sit back and enjoy this one… for now. 

 

Looks like he’s ready to keep quiet and let us concentrate… 

 

That guy… why is he targetting me specifically…? He’s 100% trying to mess with me right before the trial starts… but why?

 

Ach… Jessie’s right… I can’t let him rattle me… I’m better than this… 

 

Good thing that we’ve managed to shut him up… but something still feels off… 

 

It’s like some of them are looking at me… suspiciously. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} …

 

Reijiro: {Glares} …

 

N-No… they’ve got no reason to be suspicious… as long as I stay calm… it’ll all be fine. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Now that the mascot has been dealt with… 

 

Fusume: Let’s start discussing this case!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} N-Ngh… b-but… where do w-we uh… start…? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… I believe that we actually have a pretty simple opening this time around. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} W-We do…?

 

Right we do… we haven’t gotten a chance to discuss those security pictures that Kurozo developped yet… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

{Second picture is shown, a hooded individual of very tall stature is walking down the stairs. It's position looks rigid, with its shoulders spread apart and both feet firmly positioned on the steps. The figure's face cannot be seen. 

 

Oriana: Is th-that the killer!?

 

Kôzuke: But… we can't see their face man!

 

Fusume: Argh… the face doesn't matter here… there's only one person it could be. 

 

Jessie: R-Really?

 

Reijiro: First things first, let us examine the final picture!

 

{Third picture is shown, the same hooded figure is walking back up the stairs. Its position is similar to that of the second picture. Its face is still not visible} 

 

Kôzuke: W-Wow… here they are… emerging from the hangar… after having committed their crime!

 

Fusume: There's no more doubts about it… are there?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Those two pictures…

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I’m afraid that the matter’s simple here… those pictures prove that only two people went down to the hangar last night… Raiko and her killer. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} And we can clearly see the killer… right? 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Well… whoever it is better come out with it right the fuck now… 

 

… 

 

A really awkward silence followed Kenji’s remark… is he really… this clueless? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You must be… joking… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Nah… I’m dead serious… 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} I’m not looking to diss the killer for once… 

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laughter} Crazy motherfucker just did us a big favor!

 

He’s back with that crazy speech… what the hell is he on about seriously?

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} Kenji-kun… you can’t be serious. 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} Did ya not hear me? I ain’t playing around!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I’m just saying the blackened should come out with it right the fuck now!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I ain’t about to vote for them… that much’s for sure!

 

… 

 

I… don’t know what to say to that… 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} Yo, why’s everbody looking at me like that!? The fuck’s your problem? 

 

Hikari: {Sad} … 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} You… You must realise that-

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Y-You’re the freaking problem Kenji! 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} The fuck d’you say to me!?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You… you’re saying all that stuff… and…

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} It’s b-because you killed her!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} A-Again with that shit? 

 

At least it’s out in the open now… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Face it Kenji… you’re the only one who could have done this… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Is it!? Because it just sounds like a load of bullshit to me… 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} Y’all are just gonna accuse me because I have the balls to say what we are all thinking!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Now that she’s gone… I’m the new easy target… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Do not put words in our mouths… we do not share your idiotic views!

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laughter} Imma put something else in your mouth pretty boy!

Fusume: {Dark look} Enough! We will discuss this matter calmly… without such meaningless insults!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Tch… whatever bro… y’all have nothing on me. 

 

He… really doesn’t realise that the evidence is clearly pointing at him? 

 

… 

 

The discussion’s about to begin… I should wait and hear what everybody say… maybe I’ll find some inconsistence to get things started.

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckx2nvp8L3g&t )



{Truth Bullets : The file, Raiko’s dying message, Wrecked Station C, Security footage, Hooded figure’s missing shoes}

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} If y’all really think I’m about to let you slander me like that… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} You’ve got another thing coming!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hm… is it really slander when there’s proof to back it up?

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} Proof!? What proof!? There’s literally nothing against me!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} You’re just accusin’ me for the sake of it… but in reality you have nothing!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Kenji… you can’t really think that…

 

Hikari: You’re messing with us… aren’t you?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Fuck off… I’m being serious… 

 

Kenji: Even though I might be on the blackened’s side this time around…  I didn’t kill her… 

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laughter} But I wish I fucking did!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} On… the b-blackened’s… side?

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} I stand by what I said… the murderer did us a favor… there’s no way I’m gonna get mad about it. 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} So yeah… guess I’m kinda rooting for the blackened here!

 

 

What… is he saying? Does he not realise that if the blackened wins we’re all dying? Him included! 

 

Unless he’s the killer… he’s really gone mad… 

 

I should expose the mistakes in what he’s claiming… right about now. 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Security footage → There’s literally nothing against me

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34)

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} You’ve got it wrong Kenji… there is evidence against you. Namely, the security footage that Kurozo developped for us. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Again with that? I already told you that it’s not me in that fucking picture!

 

{Picture is seen, the hooded figure in the center of the screen} 

 

Fusume:  Do not lie to us… that figure… it must be you!

 

Kenji: Yeah…? And where’s your proof of that!?

 

Reijiro: A simple comparison of the figure’s stature with the surrounding objects makes it obvious that the person must be at least… 1 meter 90 centimeters tall. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Nobody but you gets close to that height… 

 

Reijiro: And even there was a way for someone to fake their height, you are the only one among us with such large shoulders!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Gnrrk…!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} It r-really kinda l-looks like Kenji!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} It doesn’t just look like him, Oriana-chan… it’s got to be him!

 

Jessie: {Determined} I can’t think of anybody that it could be other than Kenji-kun! Quod erat demonstrandum!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Even Jessie’s… turning against me!?

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} I’m sorry Kenji-kun… I want to trust you but… you understand!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} What I understand… is that you’re all ganging up on me!!!

 

Kenji: {Furious} This is… fucking bullshit!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You shouldn’t appologise to him Jessie… Kenji must be the guilty party in this case… that’s the only thing which makes sense. 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} Fuck you! I already told you that someone knocked me unconscious! I never fucking left Station A!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} The person who assaulted me… that’s who you should be looking for!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} And you claim that this mystery assailant coincidentally had your exact stature and somehow kept it hidden from us?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Look around! See anobody who fits that description!?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} N-No! That’s not… what I’m fucking saying! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Then what exactly are you saying!? You’ve provided nothing short of an explanation for any of this!

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} I… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} What the fuck am I supposed to explain when I know nothing!?

 

Kenji: I’m telling you that I was fucking unconscious!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} And yet… those pictures seem to me like irrefutable evidence of your guilt… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Moreover… walking around at night with a hood on sounds pretty familiar right?

 

Kenji: N-No!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} It’s… it’s what he did during the last case!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} That’s right… during the trial for the double murder Raiko witnessed a hooded figure acting conspicuously… and that turned out to be you Kenji!

 

Kenji: {Furious} Gnngh!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} It’s not me this time around… fuck you!!!

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eye} Stop insulting people and find some way to deny it man!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Acting shady with a hood on is basically your M.O by now… and those baggy pants that the figure is wearing look exactly like yours! 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} A similar height and build… and basically same clothes as you… how are we supposed to believe you man!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} You’ve gotta be the killer!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} This… this is fucking bullshit… and I’ll prove it to you!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} You will? I suppose hearing your defense will surely move discussions forward… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} That’s fucking right! You better stop doubting me already… when I’m telling you the truth!

 

Shinto: {Bends forward with finger pointing} We should hear him out… despite how suspicious he’s acting… it’s too early to give our verdict. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} H-He’s right… we should listen to what Kenji has to say!

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} You will have to show us strong evidence for me to change my mind… but you may speak… we do not want to rush our judgement… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Look at y’all… fucking patronizing me… like I’m some sort of a criminal. 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} I’ll show you… yeah… I’ll show you all!

 

Bring it on Kenji… 

 

Let’s see how he defends himself. 

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS


(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXSH3q8F96E)

 

{Truth Bullets : Raiko’s dying message, Fusume’s account, Damaged clamp, Hikari’s photograph, My recollection of events}

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I see what’s going on here… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} You’re accusin’ me because I’m the easy target!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} That’s your takeaway from this whole conversation? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} It appears that you are somewhat confused… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I shall therefore explain our reasons for accusing you once more. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Those photographs clearly show you heading down to the hangar. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Considering that nobody else went to the hangar except for you and the victim… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You are the only plausible suspect! 

 

Kenji: {Furious} For the hundredth fucking time… I know nothing of this picture! It’s not me!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} But then… how do you explain the fact that the hooded figure has your exact build and is seemingly wearing your clothes?

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} I don’t need to explain it! I was framed! 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Yeah… that’s right… one of y’all is framing me!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Considering that I was passed out in Station A all night… that picture’s gotta be a fake!

 

Kenji: {Furious} And without that, your whole argument against me crumbles the fuck down! 

 

 

*Sigh*… He’s not really defending himself there… just claiming the whole thing was faked… 

 

I suppose its going to be somewhat complicated to refute that argument… despite how nonsensical it is… 

 

For now, I should focus on proving that the security footage isn’t the only thing we have against him!

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Raiko’s dying message → without that, your whole argument against me crumbles the fuck down! 

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8)

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} No Kenji… I’m afraid you’re wrong about that.

 

Kenji: {Furious} The fuck are you talking about!?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Are you saying… that there’s more evidence against Kenji?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Something… other than these pictures? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} That’s right… there’s something else… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Bullshit… I was in Station A all night I’m telling you!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Yes… and that’s exactly where I’m going with this!

 

Oriana: {Shocked} It i-is…? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The fact that we found you tied up in Station A… I believe that it once again links you to this crime!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Ngh… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But… Hayato-kun… doesn’t that create some sort of alibi for Kenji-kun?

 

Jessie: It’s hard to imagine him being in the hangar if he was unconscious in Station A… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I see it this way… it’s unquestionable that whatever happened last night, Kenji ended up in Station A… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} However… we have no way of knowing for sure that he really was “unconscious”.

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I fucking… said that I was knocked out!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I am afraid that we simply cannot take your word for it… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Grrrr…!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} But then… where are you going with this exactly? How does this connect him to the murder?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I’m getting to it. 

 

Hayato: As we now know, Kenji’s defense includes two things… the fact that he was unconscious and the fact that he was in Station A. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m following… for now… 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} We simply cannot prove wether Kenji was conscious or not at the time of the murder… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} But we can certainly prove that he was Station A!

 

Kenji: {Furious} And so what!? Why the fuck does that matter!?

 

Hayato: Because… in her dying breath… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Raiko pointed to you in her dying message!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-No way!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} … 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Wh-What the fuck!!?

Hayato: {Holds chin} Of course… you wouldn’t know considering you didn’t even bother to investigate. 

 

{Black and white frame of Raiko’s dying message} 

 

Hayato: It was bothering me until now… why would Raiko want to direct us towards Station A? 

 

Hayato: But what if… she was pointing at where we’d find her killer!?

 

{Back to normal}

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} That’s… that’s… 

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} That doesn’t prove… a-anything… 

 

Hayato: {Crossed} It may not be conclusive proof… and frankly I’m not sure why Raiko would do that… but she wanted us to go to Station A… and that’s where you were found… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Add that to those suspicious pictures… and you simply cannot deny your connection to the case Kenji! 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} N-No… f-f-f-f…

 

Kenji: {Rips shirt open while screaming} FUCK YOU!!!!

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched over podium} …

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Are you ready to tell us what happened Kenji…?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} What else do you want me to fucking tell you… you already know everything…

 

Kenji: I was doing research in Station A… trying to be helpful… for once. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} And now… it’s come to bite me in the ass. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} You… doing research!? That’s impossible!

 

Actually… it’s not… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} This message… it’s got to mean something right?

 

Kenji: I basically spend my entire time in this room anyway… so it’s decided!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I’m going to work my fucking ass off on this! There must be something else to work with in some of these others books! I’ll figure out what this shit is all about even if it’s the last thing I do!

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} …

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Cool. Tell me if you find anything {Leaves} 

 

Enthusiastic as always…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I know I’m not the sharpest knive in the drawer… but I’ll crack this case! I swear!

 

Hayato: O-Okay… I’m glad to see you motivated Kenji!

 

Kenji: {Scratches head with playful smile} I’ll keep you posted if I find anything… which I fucking will!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

He was pretty determined to find something else in those books… that would explain why he was there to start with… 

 

I’m not sure I should tell the others about Raiko’s discoveries just yet though… 

 

It might be pretty handy to keep that for myself… unless Kenji reveals it before me I guess… 

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} So… what do we do now? 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We won’t get anywhere if Kenji doesn’t speak… will we? 

 

Kenji: {Furious} I… FUCKING… TOLD YOU…-

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Let us calm down… I actually have an objection to make. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} O-Oh… you do?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Nothing major… I simply have a question for you. 

 

Hayato: Okay… shoot. 

 

Lord… where is he taking me. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} It is rather simple… I am wondering how the victim knew that our suspect would be found in Station A?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} He must have headed there after the murder… correct? So how did she know? 

 

Reijiro: After all… there was no way for her to know with certainty that he would head back to Station A… right? 

 

Hm… that’s actually an interesting question… how did Raiko know that Kenji would be in Station A huh?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} She must have had a way to know that… otherwise it would mean that we are mistaken in our assumptions… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But… how is that even möjlig ? She must have been already dead when he went to Station A!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That’s not true… the file says she died at 1 AM doesn’t it? While I went to station A right after dinner and didn’t leave the damn room until you found me!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… that is, until you went to the hangar… correct?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} I didn’t go to the fucking hangar dammit!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You should stop denying hard facts… those pictures prove that you did!

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched over podium} N-No… 

 

What Kenji just said… could it be… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I think I might know how Raiko got a hold of that information… she had one way of knowing we’d find Kenji in Station A… even after her death!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} She did…?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} And how exactly do you claim she could have known?

 

There’s only one way… but… but why?

 

Hayato: Raiko knew… because: 

 

{She actually died in Station A/Kenji told her/She attacked Kenji in Station A}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: She attacked Kenji in Station A

 

===

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Kenji and Raiko weren’t really on speaking terms… which means the only way she’d know was if she had seen him… right?

 

Oriana: S-Sure…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} But if Raiko saw Kenji in Station A before she went to the hangar… isn’t it possible that she’s Kenji’s mysterious attacker!?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} You mean… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} No way!

 

Jessie: {Scared} Raiko-chan… attacked Kenji-kun!?

 

Kenji: {Furious} It was her!?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Again… it’s too early to say for sure… but it seems like a definite possibility to me. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} So you don’t think that Kenji lied about his aggression. 

 

Truth be told… I don’t… I think somebody genuinely attacked him. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

" …

 

 

*Creak*

 

 

???: What the-

 

*THUD*

 

 

*Creak*

 

 

*Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*Ding Dong Ding Dong*

 

 

 

*Ding Dong Ding Dong*"

 

… 

 

After that, silence. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Well… that was quite the cacophony.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

The sounds recorded by Reijiro’s camera… it really sounded like something along the lines of what Kenji is describing did happen… so I guess I’ll believe that for now. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I have my reasons to believe that Kenji was indeed attacked by somebody… and I can’t think of anyone better than Raiko. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But… wh-why Raiko-chan of all people? 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} You must have evidence to back that up right?

 

Do I have evidence that Raiko’s behind Kenji’s aggression? 

 

I think I do… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Of course, Hikari… I wouldn’t advance such a theory if I didn’t have evidence. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… unlike you to bluff is it? 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Y-Yes… no… shut up Reijiro!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The fact that Raiko knew of Kenji’s position is already quite solid… but I do think that there’s a piece of evidence that supports my theory-

 

Kôzuke: {Close-up on face} O-OBJECTION MAN!

 

{Split-screen between Kôzuke and Hayato} 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Uh… I wasn’t quite finished with my explanation… 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} I… I don’t wanna hear it man… you’re wrong! 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Kôzuke… you don’t think that Raiko attacked Kenji?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} No… he’s got to be lying man!

 

He seems pretty adamant with his point… I’ll hear out what he has to say I guess. 

 

===

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4w_7v_BHM ) 

 

{Truth Blades: Inside out umbrella, Raiko’s masterkey, Raiko’s dying message} 

 

Kôzuke: 

 

I think that Kenji is lying… 

 

Nobody assaulted him last night! 

 

He must have been lying to hide the fact that he killed Raiko! 

 

I… just can’t believe he’d tell the truth!



ADVANCE

 

Hayato: I understand your animosity towards him Kôzuke… but can you prove that he wasn’t attacked?

 

Kôzuke: 

 

I think so man! 

 

Station A can only be locked from the inside! 

 

And since we found the door locked…

 

it means he had to lock it himself and then pretend he’d been knocked out!

 

If somebody had left the room while he was unconscious…

 

Then that door couldn’t have been locked!

 

 

Hm… I think his interruption’s actually quite beneficial for my case since he’s getting into what I wanted to bring up… 

 

I’ll have to show him that it was possible for somebody other than Kenji to lock that door!

 

===

 

 

 


SOLUTION : Raiko’s Masterkey → Station A can only be locked from the inside

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34 )

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Sorry Kôzuke but that’s just not true is it? 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Huh!? I’m… wrong?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} In normal circumstances you’d be right… it’s usually only possible to lock the door from the inside.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} But there’s exactly one person who could have locked it from outside… and that’s Raiko!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… I see where this is going. 

 

Hayato: Thanks to the masterkey that Kurozo gave Raiko, she was perfectly capable of locking the door after leaving Station A! 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Which means that the person who attacked Kenji… it must be Raiko!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I see… unless of course… Kenji’s lying. 

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} I’m not. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Sadly, the fact that it could have happened still does not prove that it did happen. 

 

That’s right… this is still only conjecture… and I have no idea why Raiko would do what I’m accusing her of doing… but maybe…

 

Could there be a pattern here?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} There’s more!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} How so?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I still believe that Raiko attacked Kenji and locked Station A with her masterkey… and I think that Station A might not be the only door that Raiko locked last night!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} It’s… not?

 

Hayato: No… 

 

We know that somebody else got locked in last night… and it was in this room: 

 

{Marinebiology lab/Computer lab/Chemistry lab}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Marinebiology lab

 

===

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Oriana… you were also locked in last night were you not. 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail with thoughtful expression} Th-That’s… true… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} According to Oriana… somebody locked the door to the marine biology lab while she was still in it… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Another door in the blue building locked from the outside… do you see where I’m going with this?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You think… that this is also Raiko’s doing?

 

Hayato: {Determined} She’s the only one who physically could have done it! 

 

Hayato: And considering the fact that we found her masterkey in the submarine… she must have had it on her last night! 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} We know her… she would have never given the key to someone else… and since those doors were locked from the outside!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Only Raiko could have done it!

 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But… warum ? Why would Raiko-chan lock those doors? What was the point of all that?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} It’s Raiko we’re talking about here… do we really need to know her reasons?

 

Hayato: In this case… I think I can pretty much tell why she did what she did.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Y-You can uh… d-do that!? 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It’s hard to know for sure… but think about it this way… Raiko used the submarine every night by herself… and she was seemingly very close to figuring out the truth about the submarine… 

 

Hayato: Which means that if she did what I think she did… it must be because : 

 

{She had a murder planned/She didn’t want to be followed/She knew she was about to die}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: She didn’t want to be followed

 

===

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Judging by how secretive she’d been about the whole “submarine’s secret” thing… she likely didn’t want to be followed down to the hangar!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Th-That’s why she locked me in!? T-To keep me from f-following her?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} And that’s why she clonked me over the head!? Isn’t that a tad fucking excessive?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I guess that it is… but we’re talking about Raiko… and she didn’t want to take any risks!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… that does seem quite excessive indeed… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} If she really did attack him, she must have opened the door to Station A to confront Kenji… but what about Oriana? The door to the marinebiology lab was closed wasn’t it?

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} So how do you propose she even knew that Oriana was there?

 

How did Raiko know that Oriana was in the marinebiology lab? That’s pretty easy to answer!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Oriana’s account

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Oriana… you broke a beaker right before the door was locked didn’t you? 

 

Oriana: {Cries} I uh… d-d-did!

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} I’m s-sorry!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Hey don’t worry about it… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The point isn’t for Oriana to appologise… but rather to prove that Raiko would have easily noticed that somebody was inside the marinebiology lab!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You mean… because of the noise of the beaker falling?

 

Hayato: Precisely! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I see… so it really is possible that the victim was the one behind all those locked the doors. 

 

Reijiro: It should have been expected. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You see! I fucking told you that I’d been attacked! I ain’t lying!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Sorry but… how does that make any sense now?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Am I supposed to believe that Kenji was both locked in Station A and in the hangar!? 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} The same person couldn’t have been in two places at one… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s right… despite Hayato’s explanations… those pictures still exist… and they still very much indict Kenji as the culprit. 

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Y-Yeah man! The fact that Raiko could have possibly locked Kenji in doesn’t mean he’s not the killer!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Both the dying message and those security pictures prove his guilt don’t they!? 

 

Did… I really do all that for nothing? 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} But… the door was locked and… on Reijiro’s recording we can hear-

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… here’s a theory that could explain those inconsistencies. 

 

Reijiro: Perhaps the victim did attack him… but she did not actually knock him out! 

 

Reijiro: She locked the door and left, but he ended up following her! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The both of them therefore entered the hangar in quick successions, as shown by the photographs! 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} After having committed the murder… he went back to Station A and posed as if he’d been attacked, which he did. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} And ta-da! That would explain both the victim’s dying message who knew that our suspect would go back to the place she attacked him and the security footage! 

 

His theory… it actually makes a lot of sense!

 

Reijiro: {Points at Hayato} Satisfied?

 

Hayato: I… guess so. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hayato man… you weren’t trying to prove Kenji’s innocence were you?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} …

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Hm… not necessarily. I just want us to know the complete truth about this case before we vote. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Well, after all that… the facts remain the same! Kenji has been photographed on his way to the crime scene… and he’s the only possible killer! 

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} …

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Nothing that has been said has changed my appreciation of the facts at hands here… Kenji must be the blackened!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} So… are we ready to vote?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Already!? You students sure were efficient with your reasoning this time around!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I’m f-fine with v-voting r-right now… I w-want to go back h-home… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I am against rushing things… but there is no doubt about it is there? 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato… do you think we’re ready to vote here?

 

Are we…? There’s so much evidence we haven’t discussed… but at the same time, everything points to Kenji… even after I tried proving that he could be telling the truth… those photographs leave no room for doubt do they?

 

What am I supposed to do here…? 

 

Hayato: I uh-

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Eheheheheheh… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Kenji-kun?

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50yShkEarT4)

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laughter} Eheheheh… NYEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Oh no… he’s gone bonkers!

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} Me!? I’m the one who’s bonkers?

 

Kenji: {Slams fist on podium} No! You guys are all mad!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I beg your pardon?

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laughter} Look at you all! You’re ready to vote for me… to kill me… and yet you have no idea how the murder was committed!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What… are you talking about?

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} You’re all prepared to end the trial… and yet we haven’t spoken about the method of the murder… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} What’s the point of doing that when we know that you’re the killer already!?

 

Kenji: {Slams fist on podium} Because the way you’re currently looking at things, this murder’s impossible you idiot!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} A-Ah!?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Impossible…?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} That’s right! Y’all didn’t think I’d notice did ya? 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Just because I didn’t investigate… doesn’t mean that I don’t understand what’s going on! 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} But… how? 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} The bitch was killed in the submarine wasn’t she? 

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laughter} Jessie couldn’t help running her mouth in the elevator… and your boy heard enough to realise that shit’s fishy!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Wh-What did I say? 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Jessie: I just don’t get it Oriana-chan! 

 

Jessie: If the killer escaped the submarine while it was still under water then why wasn’t it flooded?

 

Jessie: The fact that submarine was completely dry inside means that there’s definitely something weird here… 

 

Jessie: Ezin dut hatzik jarri…

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} All that blabbering made me realise that this isn’t as simple a case as you guys make it to be!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Nobody said that it was simple!

 

Kenji: {Slams fist on podium} And yet you’re planning on killing me off before you’ve even discussed the real problem… 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} This case… it’s another locked room murder isn’t it?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} …

 

Kenji: Do you really wanna vote… when you don’t understand anything of what happened!?

 

… 

 

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 )

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I suppose… that he’s got a point. 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} S-So… we’re not voting y-yet?

 


Fusume: {Dark look} As much as I’d like to put matters to bed… Kenji isn’t wrong… we can’t vote until we know exactly what happened… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I guess that as long as we don’t know how the murder took place… our evidence against Kenji doesn’t really matter does it? 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} B-But… he did it!

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} Fine… we’ll take some more time to understand how this locked room really worked… but once we’re done… we’ll be ready to vote for you Kenji!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Yeah, yeah sure… I’m shivering in my boots. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} If you are the blackened… then no amount of stalling will save you. 

 

Just like that… Kenji’s bought himself some time… right as we were about to vote. 

 

It did bother me… I won’t lie. 

 

{Security footage is shown} 

 

Yeah… that person really looks like it’s Kenji… and his hatred for Raiko was perfectly clear. 

 

But… something still feels off about those pictures… I can’t quite tell what though. 

 

Are things… really that simple? 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

I suppose I should keep these thoughts in the back of my mind for now.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} So… what do we do exactly? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Let’s talk about the scene of the crime… maybe if we brainstorm, we’ll think of something. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} One thing’s for sure… this murder can’t be as “impossible” as Kenji makes it out to be. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Hey… what do I know? I didn’t do any investigatin’ remember!?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… let us begin. 

 

Kenji’s probably going to try to stall as much as possible… I should ignore him and focus on what matters… 

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t)

 

{Truth Bullets : Security footage, Inside out umbrella, Broken trident, My recollection of events, State of submarine}

 

Fusume: {Confident} Kenji… you claim that this murder is impossible because of the fact that it took place in the submarine… correct?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} That’s right… I don’t know much about investigations… 

 

Kenji: {Slams fist on table} But this sounds like a locked room mystery alright! 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Were the doors to the submarine locked?

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} In that case… perhaps the murder took place outside of the submarine! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} In that case, why go through the trouble of moving the body?

 

Oriana: {Shy look} S-Sorry… but I d-don’t see the problem. 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} C-Couldn’t the murder have t-taken place inside the submarine…

 

Oriana: {Angry hand on hips} A-And after that… the k-killer s-simply swam back t-to the dock!? 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Right! Maybe things aren’t as complicated as we think!

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laughter} Either way… we can’t wrap this up until y’all figure this shit out!

 

Kenji: {Slams fist on podium} That means you’d better rack your fucking brains! 

 

 

Why does Kenji consider this case a locked room mystery? I guess I have the answer in the evidence don’t I?

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : State of submarine → the k-killer s-simply swam back t-to the dock!?

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}



(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoh-Z_TS_xE)

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} No… the killer couldn’t have simply killed Raiko while the submarine was under water… 

 

Hayato: Just like Jessie mentioned earlier, this creates a problem.

 

Oriana: {Trembles} It d-does?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Once you turn on the submarine’s motors, it will slowly be lowered down to water level… 

 

Hayato: There are a only a few seconds between that moment and the time when submarine gets submerged. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} From that moment on, if the culprit was to open the submarine’s hatch, the entire ship would be flooded in an instant. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} And the fact that the submarine was completely dry indoors means that this didn’t happen… and therefore we know that it was hermetically sealed from the moment it hit the water to when we discovered the body!

 

Hayato: That’s the locked room that Kenji’s talking about!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Bingo… well done Hayadog.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} That’s also what I had noticed… 

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} I should have kept my mouth shut… damn me and my big mouth. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… that does indeed create a problem. 

 

Reijiro: There seems to have been no way for the blackened to escape the submarine… and yet, they somehow did. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Right… nobody other than Raiko was there when we found her body… which means whoever killed her must have found a way to escape. 

 

I just don’t know how yet… 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} But man… if that hatch wasn’t open at all… then how is that possible!?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} We must find an answer to that question… or we will never get anywhere… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I think that I have an idea. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Shinto!? You have a theory. 

 

Shinto: I guess so… I’m not sure of the logistics but it seems to me like the only possibility. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Go on Shinto… we’re listening. 

 

Shinto: {Hat covering face} Well… you said that the hatch wasn’t open from the moment the submarine hit the water right? 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Doesn’t that mean that it could have been opened before then!?

 

Shinto: The killer could have murdered Raiko before the motors were engaged… and then turn them on before jumping out of the submarine while it was lowered into the water!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} The blackened… jumped out of the submarine!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I mean they had to right!?

 

{2D diagram of Shinto’s theory} 

 

Shinto: Once Raiko was dead, they could have turned the motors on… 

 

{The submarine is slowly lowered} 

 

Shinto: They would have had… a good 15 seconds to jump out!

 

{A red icon labelled “K” is seen jumping out of the submarine and landing on a ladder} 

 

Shinto: With that ladder in place… I think it’s a definite possibility for someone in good physical shape!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I might be wrong here… but I don’t see how else they could have escaped. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} It s-sounds… pretty c-convincing to m-me… Shinto!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} But… according to your theory… would the hatch not have remained open after the culprit would have jumped?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I… guess so… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Maybe there was some sort of mechanism involved to close the hatch that we’re not aware of! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} A mechanism you say?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} You know… with like… ropes and stuff. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} You don’t sound too sure dog. 

 

Shinto: H-Hey! I’m just spitballing here!

 

Shinto: {Hat covering face} I told you that I wasn’t too sure about the theory okay!?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} No need to get flustered Shinto… I think your theory’s pretty good!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Hm… it does have one more flaw

 

Shinto: {Bends forward with finger pointing} Okay… what is it? 

 

I think the best way to show him is with evidence… 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Rule #15

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The problem I’m refering to is Rule #15… more specifically the part about how the doors to the hangar would be locked once the motors was turned on. 

 

Hayato: In other words… if things happened the way you claim… the killer would have had no way to leave the hangar!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You mean… it would have been… a locked room inside a locked room! 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} That’s fair to say… considering the fact that the submarine was found under water… we know that the motors were definitely turned on at some point… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Which means that the doors to the hangar would have been locked!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Wait a minute… if that’s the case… then how come the door wasn’t locked when the three of you opened it this morning!?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} That’s uh… a fair question. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I’ll answer it! 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} When Reijiro, Hayato and Hikari went to the hangar, the door was supposed to be locked!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} It… it was? 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Correct… I unlocked it myself in order to avoid you students kicking down another one of my doors… 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Or at least… you would have tried… but you wouldn’t have managed… this door’s extra solid!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I see… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Guess I was wrong then… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} W-Wait just a second!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Wh-What’s wrong! 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Kurozo… you’re saying that the doors were locked… all night? 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} From the moment the motor was turned on… yes!

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} But then… 

 

{Security footage is shown} 

 

Fusume: That figure… how did they leave the hangar!? 

 

Hayato: F-Fuck… 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} That’s the question isn’t it? 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I suppose you will have to figure that one out for yourselves!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} This… this makes no sense!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The only way that figure could have left… was if the motors hadn’t been turned on yet… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} But that would mean that Raiko was still alive!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Tell me Kurozo… the motor cannot be turned on remotely can it? 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Negative… you have to be inside of the submarine for that to happen!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} We have reached… a deadlock. 

 

I don’t understand what’s going on… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Kenji… you’re still not going to tell us anything are you?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Nope… this is your mess… I ain’t involving myself!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’ve already involved yourself! You’re in the damn picture! Tell us how you got out!

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} I don’t fucking know anything! 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} We’re r-really stuck aren’t we… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Let me recap here… we know that the killer must have escaped the submarine before it hit the water… and yet they couldn’t have left the hangar from the moment the motors were turned on. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Since Raiko’s death was almost immidiate… she couldn’t have been the one to turn on the motor if that was done after she was stabbed. 

 

Hikari: But if it was done before she was stabbed… then the killer would have been stuck in the hangar!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} And those pictures… they show somebody who’s about to leave the hangar… but that was impossible if Raiko was already dead! 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} In other words… doesn’t that mean that the hooded figure must have left before her death?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} N-No… that’s impossible! That would destroy our entire argument!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} And yet… that’s where we’re at! Told you I was innocent!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I thought you said it was not you in that picture… 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} Doesn’t matter… whether it’s me or not… I’m innocent. 

 

What can I say…? We’ve reached a complete paradox… it’s like there is no possible solution…

 

Oriana: {Trembles} It’s l-like… this m-murder really is i-impossible… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Dammit… what are we supposed to do…?

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} It’s typical Raiko-chan isn’t it…? Dying in the most impossible manner… 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} We’ll… never figure out who did this at this rate! 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} W-Wait… what did you say!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Who m-me…? 

 

Reijiro: No… no… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I think I may have an idea… hear me out!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Reijiro… you thought of a way to bypass our problems!?

 

Reijiro: Maybe… just maybe… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} But… you will not like the implications of what I am about to say. 

 

Reijiro… where is he going with this?

 

Did he really find a way to bypass our double locked room problem? 

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS


(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXSH3q8F96E) 

 

{Truth Bullets : Inside out umbrella, The file, Raiko’s dying message, State of submarine, Raiko’s masterkey}

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} This… is not a pleasant thought but… 

 

Reijiro: What if this murder… wasn’t actually a murder!?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Wh-What are you talking about?

 

Oriana: {Cries} Gh-Ghosts! He’s t-talking about ghosts!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I don’ think that’s it Oriana-chan…

 

Kôzuke: {Worrried} I… sure hope not… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I mean… suicide… perhaps the victim simply killed herself! 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} N-No! That can’t be…!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Ngh… why would she kill herself!? 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} The real question is why would she kill herself in this manner… doesn’t this seem very inconveniant? 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Tch… probably for the same reasons as the caped kidfucker  did… to get us all killed. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} The bitch wanted us to vote wrong… and so she framed me and killed herself! 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} It’s always about you… isn’t it Kenji? 

 

 

I… don’t ever want to believe that Raiko committed suicide… especially since she was finally getting better… 

 

My personal feelings won’t accepted as proof… I need a way to show them that this wasn’t suicide… 

 

I won’t accept it! 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : The file → doesn’t this seem very inconveniant? 

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Shinto} YEAH, YOU’RE RIGHT!



{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11)

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I have to agree with Shinto here… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Raiko was stabbed by a trident in her back… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Not only is that inconveniant… but it’s also basically impossible to do by yourself!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} So what you claim is… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I don’t think this was suicide… simply because I cannot believe it’s humanly possible to stab oneself in the back with a trident… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… I see. 

 

He doesn’t seem… affected at all?

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Not only would I hate to believe another one of our classmates committed suicide… I have to agree with Hayato that in our case, it seems almost impossible. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Almost… but not completely impossible… wouldn’t you say?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} What are you implying?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I concede that it would have been a very complex feat… but our victim was very resourceful… surely she could have found a way to impale herself with that weapon if she really wanted to!

 

Hayato: Hngh… but… how? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I do not pretend to know how it was done… but I believe it was possible through the use of some… “mechanism”

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I feel like that’s a shot at me… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} So… was it possible or not!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I suppose that we cannot rule it out. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Another suicide would be tragic yes… but it could allow us to leave the classroom without any other casualty… and that idea appeals to me! 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Th-That… w-would be nice!

 

Hikari: Hayato… what do you think?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Maybe… it would be better for everybody if she did kill herself… 

 

No… I won’t accept that!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Raiko didn’t kill herself! I’m sure of it!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… and I presume that such certainty is backed up by evidence?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Of course… 

 

Not. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Come on then dog… show us proof that the bitch didn’t end her own miserable life herself… 

 

Raiko… would never commit suicide… which means that there must be proof of that somewhere… 

 

I just need to think… 

 

Think Hayato dammit! 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Bloody ladder

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Yes… that’s it! 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I have the proof right here!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} So… it was not bluff was it?

 

Hayato: Of course not!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The proof is that metal ladder we used to access the submarine’s hatch… without it it was impossible to enter the ship!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hm… that stands… I do believe that ladder was essential in accessing the hatch. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} And so what!? Where are you going with this? 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Think of it this way… if Raiko had killed herself that would mean that nobody entered nor left the submarine after her right?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Yes… that much’s a given. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} And if that’s the case… the ladder should have been found in position… since nobody would have taken it off after she entered the submarine! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …

 

Hayato: {Determined} And that’s my proof! The ladder was found stored away instead of in position where it should have been if Raiko had killed herself!

 

Hayato: That means that somebody definitely left the submarine after Raiko’s death!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… but what if a third party had removed the ladder… for example that hooded figure?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I don’t think so… after all Reijiro, you were with me when we found that ladder weren’t you?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} I believe that you mean stepladder. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} You can hide behind sarcasm all you want! The truth is that the evidence remains!

 

Hayato: {Crossed arm} There was blood on the ladder… which means it wasn’t a third party that put it away!

 

Hayato: {Determined} It was Raiko’s killer!

 

 

 

 

{Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 }

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Fair enough… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Wait… you’re not going to argue with me?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} You have convinced me… I suppose suicide is too good to be true. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We will definitely lose another class mate today… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato’s point stands… if a third party was behind the ladder being moved then I don’t see why they wouldn’t come clean about it now… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} This must be the killer’s work… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Indeed… 

 

Phew… that was a close one… 

 

I can’t allow discussion to leave the realm of possibility… Raiko was definitely murdered by one of us… and I need to find out who that was!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Fine… maybe she didn’t kill herself… but then how the fuck do you think it happened?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Shouldn’t you be answering that question!?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} … Explaining myself is literally pointless with you guys… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Assuming that Kenji won’t speak…

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Since he has nothing to say because it’s not him in those fucking pictures. 

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Right… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} But since we won’t get any more information that way… we need to find another explanation because as things stand we are completely stuck!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} This double locked room really has us stumped huh?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Double locked room…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Fusume! Do you have a suggestion!?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Nothing concrete for now… but here’s what I’m thinking. 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} The fact that we are seemingly faced with a locked room inside of another locked room creates a paradox of sorts… 

 

Fusume: Either the killer escaped before the motor was engaged but that’s inconsistent with the submarine, or they escaped after but then that’s inconsistent with the hangar door. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} In situations like this one where it seems like both answers lead to a deadlock… there’s only one thing we can do!

 

Hayato: And uh… what’s that?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We need to eliminate one of the two aspects of the problem!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Eliminate… an a-aspect?

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} What exactly does that mean in our case?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It means that at least one of the two locked rooms… must be taken out of the equation! That seems to be the only way out of the deadlock. 

 

Take a locked room out of the equation?

 

Fusume: Think of it this way… as things stand, the coexistence of both our timelines make each of their individual existence impossible.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You’ve lost me man… 

 

I think I understand… we’re stuck at the moment but maybe if we accept that we were mistaken about one of the locked rooms… we might be able to move forward!

 

This… is really complex stuff… I need to think it through carefully… 

 

I can’t get this wrong now… 

 

===

 

LOGIC DIVE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP7r1TVINsg )



Q1: Which of the two locked rooms do we know for a fact was locked last night? 

{Submarine/Hangar}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Hangar

 

 

Yeah… that’s right… Kurozo told us that the hangar was locked… there’s no doubt about that one!



Q2: What makes the submarine a “locked room” according to our current understanding of the case?

{The state of its hatch/The security footage/The fact that it was dry}

 

 

 

 

Answer: The fact that it was dry



Q3: Could that have been faked somehow?

{Yes/No}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Yes

 

===

 

What… what does this mean exactly? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I think… that I might be onto something…

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Don’t keep us waiting… what do you have in mind?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I tried applying Fusume’s method… and there can only be doubt about the submarine as a locked room!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} H-How so?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} The hangar’s door was physically locked… we can take Kurozo’s word for it. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The submarine’s hatch on the other hand wasn’t locked per say… but rather we consider it locked because it seems impossible for it to have been open… according to our understanding of the facts. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} What… what do you mean by that?

 

Hayato: {Determined} It means that our vision of the submarine as a locked room might be based on an incorrect understanding of the facts of this case!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But how can we have gotten it wrong man!? Opening that hatch would have drenched the submarine’s cabin… that much is a sure fact!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Unless… it isn’t!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} What the fuck are you implying?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Fusume’s right… we are faced with a real paradox… and the only way out of that paradox is to re-examine the facts!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Re-examine… the facts?

 

Fusume: {Confident} If the equation doesn’t resolve itself… one of its parts must be erroneous… I believe that is the case here! 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} So… you want us to believe that the killer could have escaped the submarine without the cabin being flooded? 

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s the only possibility!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} But how man!? It doesn’t make any sense?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Unless… there is something off about the submarine in the first place. 

 

{Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 }

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands over head} Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: That is where you were going right? The only way any of this makes some sort of logical sense is if we have gotten something wrong about the submarine’s very nature!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The submarine’s secret…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Precisely!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} But we don’t know what that secret is yet! How does that help?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I think that if we consider everything through… we can get some sort of an idea… 

 

We can?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Mmph… after all, we have lived something quite extraordinary aboard the ship have we not? Something that should not be physically possible… and yet, it happened. 

 

Reijiro: That indicates foul play… does it not?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You’re talking about… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} About what man? Think of me before you go all cryptic!

 

That event which Reijrio is referring to… could it be related to the submarine’s secret…? 

 

This could be huge… 

 

I feel like we’re so close to reaching what Raiko had found… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} First things first… please tell us about that “experience”

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Right… I suppose we should start with that. 

 

Reijiro is alluding… to this! 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Disappearing Shipwreck

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

{Flashback} 

 

She turned to Reijiro for help but he looked to be elsewhere, he pointed at the porthole… a horrified expression on his face. 

 

I shifted my stance to look at what he was pointing and saw…

 

{A large wooden shipwreck is blocking the path of the submarine} 

 

Hayato: G-Guys!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Where… where did that thing come from!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} We need to avoid it!

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Kenji, come back here!

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} W-We're going too fast, we're going to crash into it!!!

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} N-No! Do something! 

 

He rushed back to the commands as the monstrous shape of the shipwreck got bigger and bigger.

 

Kenji: {Panicked} There's no time… 

 

Fusume: NO!!

 

Kenji: FUCKING DAMMIT!

 

Kenji: {Panicked} Predicted impact in 3… 2…

 

I watched helpless, there was nothing any of us could do to avoid the obstacle… 

 

I just braced myself for the crash and closed my eyes. 

 

 

Is this the end…?

 

After everything that's happened… is this really how we die?

 

I held my breath, expecting the worst.

 

 

 

 

Nothing…

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I see… so that’s what you were referring to… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Our… encounter with that shipwreck defied all known laws of physics… the obstacle just disappeared… right as we were about to crash into it!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} There’s got to be something here… after all, all five of us cannot have imagined it!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Don’t forget the rest of us! We watched from the Computer lab and we also saw it… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} It really did vanish into thin air… 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Heheheheheheh!

 

Again?

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} Ghost ships!? You really believe that shit!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Gh-Ghosts!? 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} We must have imagined it… or maybe we saw something that we mistook for a shipwreck… but large objects don’t disappear like that bro… stop being stupid!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} What could you possibly mistake for a shipwreck?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That is exactly what we’re saying… there is no such thing as a ghost ship! Which means that if it disappeared like it did, there must be a logical explanation to it… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} One that’s perhaps related to the submarine’s secret! 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} It’s definitely fishy… if you add the weird specific rules about the submarine… it really makes you wonder if everything was as it seems?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Something… had to be up… every rule was to make sure we would never see the submarine from the outside once we would go on a dive… that cannot be a coincidence!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Kurozo!? Got anything to say?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} My lips are sealed… you will have to figure out the truth yourselves!

 

We’re so close to uncovering that secret… I can feel it! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} What we’re looking for is a logical explanation to how such a large object could seemingly disappear even though we all clearly saw it… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I won’t believe in ghosts and the supernatural… which means there must be a good reason for what we went through!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Let’s discuss this one last time… we’re bound to find the truth if we work together!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Tch… how cute… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Hm… how to proceed?

 

Answering this question might finally allow us to advance through this case… 

 

I need to bring my A game here… 

 

I won’t let any mistakes through! 

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS


(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t)

 

{Truth Bullets : Depth of wounds, Rule # 15, Hikari’s photograph, Security footage, Disappearing shipwreck}

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So we’re uh… looking for an explanation for the weird stuff right?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} That is a way to see it yes… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through note} The most likely possibility is that the shipwreck was faked…

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But why do that? 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} M-Maybe… K-Kurozo wanted to scare us into r-retreat!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Otherwise… it’s possible that our vision of our surroundings was somehow modified!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} That is a possibility… after all, our only way to see the outside world was through the porthole!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Perhaps that is what was interfered with.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} The what now?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} The porthole… that’s the big window in the control room!

 

Kôzuke: Oh… I see. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Or maybe the problem’s just with us and not with the submarine! 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Speak for yourself! I have perfect vision! 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} It’s always my fault… isn’t it?

 

 

Those are all possible theories… I just need to compare what we know with the evidence and I just might find something to close this out!

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Hikari’s photograph → Perhaps that is what was interfered with

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Reijiro} YEAH YOU’RE RIGHT!



{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0)

 

That’s it… I got it! 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Reijiro’s right! I believe that the porthole was the source of the problems!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} The porthole huh?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I appreciate the support… but I do hope that you have evidence to back that claim!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Of course I do!

 

Hayato: Please take a look at this picture!

 

{Close-up on Hikari’s photograph, it's been taken from inside the submarine's control room. The control table can be seen in its entirety. Furthermore, the hangar as seen through the porthole is displayed, namely the fire hydrant, safety wire and the Monokuma painting on the far wall can all be seen quite clearly} 

 

Hikari: Hey that’s my picture!

 

Hikari: But… how does that prove anything?

 

Reijiro: This… this is… 

 

Hayato: I think you understand where I’m going Reijiro… 

 

Hayato: This picture was taken two days after the motive was revealed… right?

 

Hikari: Yes… during my first dive!

 

Hayato: Then… that creates a huge inconsistency!

 

Kôzuke: It does? 

 

Finally… I’m starting to understand…

 

The inconsistency… it’s this!

 

{The fire hydrant/The safety wire/The monokuma painting}

 

=== 

 

 

 

Answer: The monokuma painting

 

===

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Please remember what Kurozo did upon unveiling the motive to us… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kurozo: {Points to Reijiro} You now see why I shouldn’t be compared to Monokuma… this is how you pull off a good motive!

 

Reijiro: {Bows} I see… I beg your pardon for comparing you two. 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You’re forgiven… 

 

Kurozo: {Surprised, scratching trunk} Oh! Talking about that bastard… 

 

Kurozo disappeared for a second before reappearing with what looked like a giant gun. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Is that… a flame thrower?

 

{Close-up on Kurozo who runs up to the Monokuma tag} 

 

Kurozo: Die! You miserable bear!

 

{Kurozo opens fire on the wall and burns off the drawing until the wall is covered in black marks} 

 

Kurozo: Heh… that’s better.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Oh… oh my god!

 

Hayato: {Determined} That Monokuma painting was burnt off by Kurozo two whole days before this picture was taken… and yet here is is… clear as day!

 

Kurozo: {Nervous} …

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} That’s impossible man…!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Pardon the interruption… but what does that mean exactly?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} This picture shows another clear discrepancy between what we saw through the porthole and what we know to be true!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} First a vanishing shipwreck… and now a painting that shouldn’t be here! 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Wh-Why… those two things? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Both these events… were unexpected that must be the reason for the discrepancies!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} We only were about to crash into the shipwreck because of an argument in the cabin… and that painting was destroyed by Kurozo after a fit of anger… these two events were not planned… and that’s why what we saw doesn’t coincide with reality!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m so confused… what does this all mean!?

 

It can only mean one thing… 

 

The porthole… it was… 

 

It could only be this! 

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csp8A4G7y-c

 

Question: What was the porthole’s true nature?

 

-----

 

A E N C R S E

 

===

 

… 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : A  S C R E E N

 

===

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU)

 

Yes… that’s it!

 

Hayato: The only possible explanation… that porthole wasn’t a window… {Determined} It was a screen!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} A screen!?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} I can’t believe it… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What… does this mean!? 

 

That’s the question… what exactly does this mean? 

 

The fact that what we saw through the porthole didn’t match reality means that it must have been a screen of some sort but why?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} If the porthole really was a screen… then we must assume that everything was saw in all our dives was fake!

 

Kenji: {Furious} No way… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} What!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The hours we spent under water… everything we laid our eyes upon… the fish, the flora, the sightings… it was all… fake? 

 

Fusume: {Pulls on hair} That’s ridiculous!!!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} And yet… it must be the truth… if everything we saw was through a screen… none of it was real! 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} This entire motive… it can’t be… 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} It was all fake… and Raiko must have figured it out and she told us nothing!

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} How could she leave us in the dark!?

 

Wait… Raiko…

 

 

N-No… Could it be… 

 

Was she trying to tell us… tell me… 

 

Is… is that what she meant…

 

 

 

 

Hayato: {Started with hands up} OH MY GOD!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… what happened!?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} It’s… Raiko’s dying message… we got it all wrong!

 

Oriana: We d-did!?

 

I got it wrong… how could I get it wrong!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What can you possibily be talking about? What is there to misinterpret in that message?

 

I have to show them all… I have to!

 

Hayato: What Raiko really wanted to tell us… the truth of the submarine… it was… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} This!

 

TO BE CONTINUED



Notes:

And so we end on a pretty big cliffhanger… I wonder what Hayato could be talking about (lol).

You'll have to wait for the next update for the submarine's secret to be revealed! While you wait, your theories on what really happened and on who killed Raiko are, as always very appreciated!

For those of you who didn't fill it in last time around, I'll post another link to the chapter 4 survey I'm conducting, it takes 2 minutes and I'd really apreciate if you filled it in : https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZWQ8VVW

Yesterday was the 2 years anniversary of the fic and I'm really happy with the way it has grown over time, thanks for all the support and here's to however long it'll take me to finish it!

That's it from me, I hope you're all excited for the rest of the trial, I know I am!

Thanks for reading and see you in the next one!

Chapter 49: Chapter 4 : 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea : Class Trial part 2

Notes:

And we're finally back!

Sorry for the delay, as I've said in the discord and in a reply to a comment, I've been taking a break from the fic to focus on my exams. I hope you'll understand why writing sadly couldn't have been a priority for me in that time.

But forget all about that, my exams are over which means it's time to dive back into this trial (pun intended)

Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34)

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} What if… Raiko wasn’t pointing to Station A at all…?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Mmph… what can you possibly be talking about?

 

We got it all wrong… that’s the only way any of this makes any sense…

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hayato-kun… what are you thinking?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Her dying message… we all assumed that she was pointing us to Station A… and therefore accusing Kenji. 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} It is somehow logical that we thought that… considering that it’s exactly what her message read. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… is there really another possible interpretation? 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} How can Station A really mean anything other than… exactly that? 

 

There’s only one answer to that question… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} This is… quite the coincidence… but what if Raiko was interrupted in the middle of writing her message? 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Interrupted as in… killed? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Exactly… if you take into account that perhaps “Station A” wasn’t pointing to the room but rather the start to a different word… it would connect all the points that we’ve established so far!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} St-Station A… is the start of a-a-another… word!?

 

Hayato: That’s the only possibility… and that word… {Grinning} It’s-

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Stationary.

 

Hayato: {Started with hands up} K-Kenji?

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} Ooh… did I get that right?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Stationary… as in… n-no… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… is that what you had in mind?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Y-Yeah… it was… 

 

I’d apreciate it if I could finish my sentences though… that’d be nice. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} C’mon y’all… don’t make such stunned faces… I might be dumb but that shit’s obvious!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Ya know many more words that start with Station A that might apply to our situation?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} … 

 

Kenji… where the hell did that come from?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Sorry but… first that screen revelation and now this… I’m not exactly sure what you’re talking about?

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laughter} Heh… of course you of all people wouldn’t get it… 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} I’ll explain it once more… since we haven’t really made it clear yet… the secret of the submarine… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} It’s that the submarine never actually went anywhere! It was stationary!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} N-No!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} I… h-h-how does that make any sense!?

 

Oriana: {Hands on hips, angry} B-But… we saw it moving! W-We uh… felt it moving!

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} I was… deceived in such a way…?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Thinks of it this way Oriana… we never actually saw it moving… what we saw was simply a projection on a screen… 

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} A p-p-projection…?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} We’ve already proved that the porthole was a screen… and the only reason for that to be the case is that everything we saw was fake!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} It was all f-fake… n-no… 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} Everything we saw… everything we experienced was what Kurozo wanted us to see… 

 

Hayato: The shipwreck… the dome that could set us free… none of it was real! The submarine was just a simulation…

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s the submarine’s secret… this whole motive was nothing but a big fat lie!

 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} … 

 

Is… is he not going to say anything?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Ehehehehehe… Eheheheheheehhehehe!

 

Kurozo: {Belly laugh} HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} What the fuck!?

 

Kurozo: {Wipes tear} Ahem… please do forgive me… I seem to have lost my temper. 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Well done Hayato… you got it completely right! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hands over mouth} So it’s… true!?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Indeed… no matter how hard you would have tried to escape… that submarine did not move an inch since the first time you boarded it!

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} In other words… your way to freedom… it never existed in the first place!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} So that’s it huh…? You lied to us motherfucker…

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} I didn’t lie per se… I simply let all of you believe what you wanted to believe… now that’s not a crime is it? 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} All I did was letting some kids believe in Santa just a bit too long. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You told us… that the submarine could get us out of here!

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} Heh… I never said you should take that litteraly… in reality understanding the truth behind the submarine was indeed the way out of the resort… as proved by this case’s culprit!

 

Hayato: What… does that mean?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} As I said time and time again… figuring out the secret of the submarine would give you a clear advantage in the killing game! And I wasn’t lying about that!

 

Jessie: {Sad} You said… you said we could use that submarine to escape… you lied to us… 

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} And… I… believed you!

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You did well… as I said, there are no lies in my words… the submarine really was the key to escaping the resort. 

 

Kurozo: {Amused} You kids just took that… a bit too litteraly! 

 

Oriana: {Crying} …

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Ggh…

 

No… I won’t accept this!

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} We didn’t take anything too literally you bastard!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} H-Hayato!

 

Hayato: You… you wanted us to believe that there was a way out… that way you could crush our hope… it was all a part of your plan!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} This was all in the name of despair wasn’t it?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Bingo… 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} You see… hope and despair have quite the relationship… one cannot exist without the other. 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} That’s the aspect that my predecessor failed to notice. For true despair to exist, you need hope… you need to believe that there might just be a positive ending after all… 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} And then you crush that hope… that’s the only way. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ngh… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The reason why you let us believe that there was a way out other than through murder… was that so we would be further crushed by the realisation that there was no way out to start with? 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} That’s exactly it… there was no hope… only despair… but you kids didn’t know that… 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} That’s the fun part… don’t you think?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} There’s nothing fun about this… nothing fun whatsoever. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} That’s typicial protagonist behaviour… as soon as you’re not in the spotlight you get annoyed… 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You’ll always fail to surprise me Hayato. 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf angry} Stop with that already dammit! You don’t know anything about me!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato! 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Huh?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Don’t you see he’s trying to mess with you again?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} You can’t let yourself be rattled… we need you remember? 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Hngh… 

 

She’s… she’s right… I keep on falling for his stupid traps… how does he keep managing to get under my skin?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Ehehe, you make this too easy… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} If you’re done singling out Hayato… maybe you can explain to us exactly how the simulation worked?

 

Kurozo: {Surprised, scratching trunk} Have I not explained enough already?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… a more thorough description of the technical aspects of your trick is necessary if we want to get to the bottom of this case.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} It is…? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I believe so too, considering that Raiko was murdered inside the submarine… further information does seem crucial

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Hm… I see… I suppose it won’t hurt to tell you a bit more about how you were all fooled. 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} …

 

Why… is he gloating so much… 

 

I thought he was better than Monokuma… I was wrong…

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} …

 

The malice in this thing’s eyes… I’ve never seen anything like this before…

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Ahem… quiet down children… I shall now show you all the truth. 

 

{2D diagram of the submarine from the outside} 

 

Kurozo: As you have now noticed, there never actually was a way out of the resort through the submarine… and that’s because the submarine never moved an inch. 

 

Kurozo: You see… in the killing game business we’re all about supporting small indie companies!

 

Kenji: Am I hearing this right…? Or am I going completely bonkers?

 

Kurozo: We were approached by some programmers who were working on a virtual reality project that would emulate the feel of a submarine… of course we jumped on the opportunity to turn this into a motive!

 

{The Submarine’s safety chord is highlighted on the diagram} 

 

Kurozo: This “safety” chord was gave us an excuse for the submarine to always end up back on dock… in reality it was connected to the program’s server and allowed me to control the simulation… 

 

Kurozo: It also reported directly on the state of the submarine… which allowed us to lock the hangar’s door when the “motor” was on. 

 

{The Submarine on the diagram starts to shake} 

 

Kurozo: The clamp that held the submarine was programmed to vibrate and shake in order to make the whole simulation feel real!

 

Kurozo: Add that to the images you saw through the porthole and to your naivety and voila … you’ve got yourself a perfectly good motive!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

{KUROZO’S EXPLANATIONS added to truth bullets} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I can’t believe… we all fell for this… 

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} We had no way to figure the truth out… 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} Kurozo played with our feelings… played with our hope!

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} And I… really thought I’d find a way to avenge Yoko… 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You’re spot on… that’s exactly what I did!

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} You kids never stood a chance… 

 

That son of a bitch… he’s acting so condescending now…

 

Reijiro: {Glares} So what was this…? A test?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Correct, the submarine was nothing but a simulation to test your perception… whoever came to me with the correct answer would be awarded with game changing information…

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Not only were you playing for information… but I built up your hope so that you’d fall off that much harder when I revealed the truth!

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} Y-You make me sick! Why would you let us hope!?

 

Oriana: {Crying} I… r-r-really believed we c-could have found a w-way out… 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} It was all… for nothing… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} Yes, yes… you’re all outraged that you’ve been deceived… I know!

 

Kurozo: Why don’t you suck it up and move on!? 

 

Hayato: You want us… to move on?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} I’m not the one on trial here remember? In fact… I can do whatever I want… especially if it’s to mess with you kids… 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} And now that the cat’s out of the bag… I don’t want to hear any more complaning! Is that clear?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} …

 

I don’t think there’s any point in raising an objection here… he got what he wanted… 

 

I shouldn’t fall for his mindgames again. Now’s the time to focus on what really matters… Raiko’s murder!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Very well. I shall let you get back to business as usual… don’t let me interrupt you any longer. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-We… have to t-talk about the murder again huh?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} So… what now?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Kenji-kun!?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Yeah, yeah… the submarine was a lie and we have been played this whole time… but what does that change as far as the murder goes? 

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} If you ask me… y’all are still just as stuck as you were before that revelation… 

 

Is that… the case?

 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} No Kenji… I don’t think that’s true. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Tch… go on.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Well… first things first, the fact that the submarine was stationary and never actually went in the water is hugely important in our timeline!

 

Hayato: {Determined} It completely negates our first locked room problem! 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} It does?

 

{2D diagram of the submarine from the outside} 

 

Hayato: We’ve been dealing with two separate locked room mysteries so far…

 

Hayato: The submarine’s hatch which couldn’t have been open and the hangar doors which were apparently locked until morning!

 

Hayato: But if we take into account that the submarine never actually went in the water… then the fact that the cabin was dry isn’t a problem anymore!

 

Hayato: Here’s what I think could have happened!

 

{Two circles labelled “K” and “V” enter the hangar and head down the stairs}

 

Hayato: We know that Raiko made her way down the staircase first… and her killer followed shortly after as proved by the security pictures. 

 

{They both enter the submarine}

 

Hayato: The killer must have followed our victim inside the submarine. We still don’t know what exactly happened inside the ship, but the “motor” was turned on and Raiko was stabbed to death.

 

{K can be seen exiting the submarine through the hatch and jumping onto the ladder and back on the dock}

 

Hayato: Even during that time, the submarine never left the clamp, which means that once they were done, the blackened could simply have left through the hatch and jumped back onto the safety ladder!

 

Hayato: That’s when the ladder was stained with the victim’s blood… all the killer had to do then was to put the ladder back in its place…

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} And just like that… the first locked room was no more! 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} It was… that simple?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… yes, it does seem that it was very much possible for the blackened to have escaped that way… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Please wait a second! 

 

Hayato: Hikari…?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I understand everything you’ve said so far but… there’s something that’s missing from your theory!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} And that’s what exactly?

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera lens} Well… I get that the submarine never moved… but when we first came onto the scene… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

We arrived at the hangar… and as I feared neither Kenji nor Kôzuke was there.

 

But that somehow wasn't the most surprising sight in front of us. 

 

{Close-up on the clamp that usually holds the submarine, the ship's nowhere to be seen} 

 

The submarine… it's gone!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} The submarine wasn’t on its clamp! Why is that!?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} That’s… vrai .

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Mmhm… you’re right, I haven’t adressed that. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} The submarine had to be attached to the clamp when the murder happened… and yet it wasn’t there anymore when you arrived this morning…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Which begs the question… what happened to the clamp after the murder…

 

Hayato: {Grinning} In reality… there’s only one possibility to answer that question!

 

It’s all clear in my mind… the reason why the submarine was found detached from the clamp… it’s because: 

 

{Kurozo sabotaged it/There was an accident/The killer sabotaged it}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: The killer sabotaged it

 

===

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8)

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} The killer escaped the submarine while it was still attached to the clamp… that much is certain. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes, that’s the only way to go around our locked room paradox… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} And since we know that the submarine mut have been detached after the murder… the only one who could have done it is the person who was in the hangar after Raiko was killed. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} And that person… it’s got to be the blackened right?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It’s the only thing that makes sense! 

 

{Flashback} 

 

The submarine is held at dock level by a large metal clamp… as I get closer to it, it appears to read "Do not touch the clamp, FRAGILE" 

 

Huh… good to know, I definitely don't want this thing to break. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} The clamp was said to be fragile by Kurozo… I’m sure it would have been child’s play for the killer to break it and send the submarine crashing down!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I see. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I presume that you have evidence to back this theory up yes?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Um… I mean, there’s no other possibility is there?

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} HAH! If you ain’t got no evidence then I’m afraid we can’t believe your bluffin’ ass!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Bluffing…? I’m not bluffing!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Then show us that evidence boy!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato… it would make things much simpler if you could prove that somebody did indeed sabotage the clamp!

 

Guess I’ve got not choice… do I have proof that shows foul play when it comes to the submarine?

 

I really hope the answer to that question is yes… 

 

C’mon Hayato… time to rack that brain of yours!



SELECT TRUTH BULLET: 

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Sabotaged safety wire

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}



Hayato: {Holds chin} We know for a fact that somebody tried to sabotage the ship after the murder…

 

{Close-up on a picture of the safety wire}

 

Hayato: Take a look at this wire. 

 

Shinto: That’s the chord that connected the ship to the dock right?

 

Fusume: Yes… and we now know that it’s actually an electrical wire that helped Kurozo run the simulation. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Considering that the motor was turned on at some point while Raiko was in the ship, the wire must have been sabotaged after the murder!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} J-Just like the clamp! Both of these aspects of the submarine seem to have been tampered with after Raiko died! 

 

Hayato: {Determined} And there’s only one person who could have sabotaged both the clamp and the wire… because there’s only one person who was in the hangar that night other than Raiko!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And taking into account that Raiko never left the submarine… that only leaves one person…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The blackened… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Very well… my hunger for proof has been satisfied for now, I shall accept your theory.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} So what do we do now… aren’t we somewhat back at our starting point?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} No… not quite…

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} We’ve got a pretty good idea of how the murderer got in and out of the submarine… we’ve handled the “how”… and now we should go back to the “who”

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} You mean…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Kenji’s all out of excuses!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Me again?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Truth is that you have done nothing to disprove our accusations… all you did was stall by having us figuring out the logistics of the crime… but the facts remain the same!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The figure walking down the stairs in that security footage can be no one but you!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I’ve already told you… that it wasn’t me!

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} Y’all already know the full story… I was knocked out by the bitch and didn’t leave Station A since then!

 

Kenji: Now that we know that Raiko wasn’t actually accusing me in that dying message… the fact that I was in Station A all night should settle it! 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-But… what about that uh… p-picture!? C-Can it really b-be somebody other than uh… K-Kenji?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} There’s no room for debate! The figure being anybody but Kenji is inconceivable!

 

Kenji: {Furious} I said… it wasn’t me!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… such baseless resistance is futile… 

 

Why is he not admitting it? I can’t see any possible argument in his favour. 

 

{Close-up on the security picture} 

 

The figure’s clearly his height and stature… and they seem to be wearing his clothes… I recognise those cargo pants.

 

{Back to normal} 

 

So why is he resisting like that? 

 

Am I missing something here…?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Kenji… are you gonna admit it man? 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Fuck you… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} All this talk of siding with the killer… maybe that’s why he said all those things. 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I stand by what I said… but I’m no murderer. 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} *Sigh*

 

Kenji: {Furious} I’ll fucking prove it to you… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Kenji-kun… can you actually prove it?

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} You cant accuse me… that theory of yours… it’s impossible!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} I-Impossible huh?

 

Kenji: {Furious} Fucking watch me… as I rip your arguments to shred!

 

It’s rare that he’s this confident in these trials… could it be that he’s got something up his sleeve? 

 

There’s no way we’re wrong about this… is there?

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS


(Music :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckx2nvp8L3g&t)

 

{Truth Bullets : The File, Security fotage, Hooded figure’s missing shoes, Kurozo’s explanations, My recollection of events}

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Sorry to break it to you peeps… but that murder plan you’re describing is still impossible!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Really…?

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} The submarine’s locked nature might have been dealt with… but what about the hangar’s door!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} That door…? Is there something special about it?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} It still should have been locked when the killer went up the stairs! 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Don’t tell me y’all have forgotten about that one rule in our Resident ID!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} That door… should still have been locked huh?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Obviously… Kurozo said so himself didn’t he?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} He… d-did… h-he said the d-door was only unlocked in th-the morning! 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} But… if that’s the case then… how did the killer escape exactly?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Maybe…  the killer stayed in the hangar all night?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Or perhaps there was another way out of the hangar that we haven’t discovered yet? 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Tch… all those theories are absolutely baseless! You still haven’t solved this second locked room mystery!

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laughter} Which means we’re still dealing with an impossible killing!

 

 

Impossible killing huh? I’m not sure about that…

 

I think I know exactly how the killer escaped… and I’ll show them all with evidence! 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Kurozo’s explanation → an impossible killing!



===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0)

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Sorry Kenji… that’s just not true!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} … 

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful expression} Wait… what are you disagreeing with exactly? Isn’t he right that the hangar door was locked until this morning?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} We have Kurozo’s word for it!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Fair… there’s one problem with that though… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} And that’s that Kurozo’s word is worthless!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} I beg your pardon!?

Hayato: {Holds chin} You said that the door was locked until we got there in the morning… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} But that’s simply not possible!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Huh? Why not?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What the fuck are you on about…?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} It’s simple really… you need to take into account what Kurozo told us just a few minutes ago!

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kurozo: This “safety” chord was gave us an excuse for the submarine to always end up back on dock… in reality it was connected to the program’s server and allowed me to control the simulation… 

 

Kurozo: It also reported directly on the state of the submarine… which allowed us to lock the hangar’s door when the “motor” was on. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} But… this means… 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} I think… that I get it!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Considering the fact that the wire had been destroyed by our killer before they left the hangar… there’s no way that the door was still locked by then!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Without the wire connecting the submarine to its server… the automatic lock on the door would not have detected if the motor was on or not… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} You said it so yourself Kurozo… and in that explanation you contradicted your previous statements… which means that you lied to us once more!

 

Hayato: The door wasn’t locked at all this morning! 

 

 

Kurozo: {Surprised, scratching trunk} Hm… impressive. It appears that you’ve seen right through me for a second time…

 

Jessie: {Pouting} You… you lied to us again?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Eh… “lied” is a strong word… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You can’t just say that every time!

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} And yet, I speak the truth… if I had told you that the door wasn’t locked you likely would have put two and two together… we couldn’t let that happen could we? 

 

Kenji: {Furious} You motherfucker… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} Again… you can keep your anger for another time… all that matters is that you now know the truth. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} For someone who scolded Monokuma for his involvement in the last case… you’re keeping an awful lot of things from us Kurozo… 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Cry me a river… I know what I’m doing…

 

Oriana: {Trembles} The pr-problem is that w-we don’t know… what you’re d-doing!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} So… you want us to solve this case but you are witholding crucial information from us as well as twisting the facts… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Do you not realise how foolish that is? 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Maybe so… but now that you have the information… don’t you reach an obvious conclusion?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} An… obvious conclusion?

 

{Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 }

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Now that both the locked room mysteries have been dealt with…

 

Fusume: {Pulls out kunai} Kenji’s defense crumbles once again!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Indeed… your only defense was that the crime was impossible… but it seems very possible to me now that those issues have been adressed. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The security pictures are indisputable proof of your guilt! 

 

Kenji: {Furious} I… am… not… in… those… fucking… pictures!!!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Kenji-kun… why are you arguing so much about that? 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Isn’t it evident that nobody other than you could be that figure?

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} I…

 

Hikari: {Straigthens tie} Hayato… what do you think about this? 

 

Is there any way for Kenji not to be our culprit?

 

{Security pictures are shown on screen} 

 

You can’t see his face on those pictures… but that build… and those baggy pants. 

 

Moreover… we know that last time there was a hooded figure walking around at night, it was him. Raiko was a witness to that… 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

This might be the closest we get to indisputable proof… the killer’s figure is very similar to Kenji’s and the M.O matches his own… 

 

I just can’t think of any way this picture could have been faked too… it just seems inconceivable that this isn’t Kenji… 

 

But then… why do I feel like something’s wrong here… 

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} I… didn’t do shit… seriously!

 

Kenji’s sudden switch in personnality since Raiko was killed… he acted so heartless… so why does he look so scared… 

 

I look into his eyes… and despite everything he said… he doesn’t look like a killer… 

 

But if he’s innocent… how could I explain that picture? It makes no sense…  

 

Something’s wrong here… I just need to figure out what!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} M-Maybe… he’s uh… not l-lying and it’s r-r-really not h-him in the uh… p-p-picture! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} No… it’s definitely him. I can see no other logical explanation!

 

Kenji: {Furious} … 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Fusume-chan… you sound pretty certain of Kenji-kun’s guilt! 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m sorry… but I just can’t fathom this having gone any differently. 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} The case seems crystal clear… and I can’t think of any scenario where Kenji isn’t the culprit!

 

{Black and white frame of Raiko attacking Kenji in Station A} 

 

Fusume: For some unexplained reason, Raiko wanted to go the hangar without anybody following her… 

 

Fusume: And when she saw Kenji in Station A, she knocked him out in order to make sure he would’t interfere with her plan. 

 

{Black and white frame of Raiko going down the Jules Vernes Staircase, Kenji can be seen staggering a few meters behind her} 

 

Fusume: She probably didn’t notice that he hadn’t been knocked unconscious… and he followed her down the staircase… 

 

{Hooded figure’s security picture is shown}

 

Fusume: Kenji didn’t have time to get changed, so he simply put a hood on and was pictured wearing his usual pants and goggles by that camera. 

 

{Black and white frame of Kenji stabbing Raiko inside the submarine} 

 

Fusume: They both entered the submarine… and only Kenji made it out alive. He stabbed her with the trident and left through the hatch and onto the safety ladder

 

Fusume: Despite what we thought… there was no locked room mystery at all! The submarine never made it to water level and the hangar’s door was unlocked once Kenji had sabotaged the ship’s wire. 

 

Fusume: Kurozo was right… the killer used their knowledge of the ship’s secret to commit their crime… it was very simple to escape the submarine once you knew that it was all a simulation!

 

{Third security picture is shown}

 

Fusume: Finally… he made hs way back up the stairs and was caught on film once more… 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m sad it’s come to this… but there aren’t two ways about it! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Nobody other than that figure could have gone to the crime scene…  and the only person who could that could be… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} It’s you… Kenji Kimata… you’re the killer! 

 

Kenji: {Furious} That’s… not what fucking happened!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} It’s not…? B-But Fusume’s explanation seemed so complete…

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} You have no fucking proof… I already told you a thousand times that I never left Station A! 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} But… we do have proof… you still have not provided any sort of explanation for that picture!

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} What am I supposed to explain… when I’ve got no clue who’s in that picture!?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Is that so…?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Kenji… I don’t want to doubt you… but as long as you can’t give us any sort of explanation for all these accusations against you…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We have no options but to conclude that you’re the blackened! 

 

Kenji: {Furious} … 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} You might believe that we have no proof… but our argument has been clearly established… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Which means it is now your time to prove your innocence to us!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} F-Fuck… you… ngh… 

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched over podium} Wh-Why… won’t you believe me… all I did… was try to help… 

 

Kenji: None of you… deserve my time… you… you… you… 

 

Kenji: {Rips shirt open while screaming} YOU BASTAAAAAAAARDS!!!

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a)

 

Jessie: {Sad} Kenji-kun… 

 

Oriana: {Crying} … 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Do you really have… no defense at all?

 

Kenji: {Defeated, hunched over podium} I didn’t fucking do it… what else do you want me to say. 

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} Y’know what… why don’t you just vote against me huh? That way you’ll all die with me!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That’s… all you deserve…

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears flowing on podium} … 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} If you’re truly innocent… then surely you must know something that could clear your name… 

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} I was… unconscious… I don’t know anything… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m sorry Kenji… but I can’t accept that…

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… I suppose that concludes this trial doesn’t it? 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Wait… what!? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I cannot see any reason to continue… we have cornered our main suspect who does not seem to want to defend himself… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We should end this once and for all. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} E-End it…? 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} But Kenji…?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Can… we really end it here?

 

Oriana: {Crying} I just… w-want to go h-h-home!

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Hm… so are you all ready to vote?

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears flowing on podium} Kenji-kun… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I don’t even care any more… you can just do whatever the fuck you guys feel like doing… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} So… he’s accepting death… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} That… doesn’t make it any easier!

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Since you’re all too busy lamenting yourselves… I’ll ask my question again… 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Are you ready to vote… or not!?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Are there any objections? 

 

Jessie: {Sad} …

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} …

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} None from me dog… I genuinely don’t care what happens to me from now on…

 

Am I okay with the trial ending now…? 

 

That feeling in my chest hasn’t died down… in fact, it’s gotten much stronger! 

 

Yoshi and Fukami… as well as Monokuma to a certain extent… they all confessed to their crime after being exposed… 

 

But Kenji… he just seems to be resigning himself to his death… he hasn’t admitted anything… 

 

I’m missing something… we obviously haven’t gotten the full picture here… but how can I object when I don’t know where even to begin?

 

I have absolutely no explanation for those security pictures… I don’t know how anybody other than Kenji could have done this… 

 

Kurozo’s right… this isn’t a detective novel… I’m just an ordinary guy… and I don’t know what to do… 

 

If we make the wrong choice we’ll die… so… could this be the end? 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Then… I guess that’s it…


Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} As… troubling as this all is… we must end this here!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Huh… 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Very well… you can now use the tablet in front of you to vote-

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4MA78DV3W8)

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Wait a minute man!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Kôzuke-kun!?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What do you want…? You seriously gonna interrupt my final moments like that?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} N-No… I won’t accept this! 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} So you did have an objection…?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Sorry man… I didn’t know whether or not to speak up…  but I can’t just sit here and wait while we might be making a huge mistake!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} A huge… mistake?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Huh… so you’re not voting are you?

 

Oriana: {Angry, hands on hips} P-Please be quiet! I w-w-want to uh… hear what he h-has to say! 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Yes, yes… please share your knowledge with us Kôzuke!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Shouldn’t you be a bit more appreciative of the guy who’s litteraly saving your life? 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Was I talking to you pretty boy?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Guys! Let’s listen to Kôzuke!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Th-Thank you… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I do wonder what objection is… have you thought of something that we might have missed? 

 

I ask myself the same thing… Kôzuke’s been pretty quiet for the last few minutes… I wonder what he’s up to. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Nothing smart like that… it’s just… something I remember seeing on the livestream for the very first dive… 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Something that makes me doubt everything you’ve said so far!

 

What…? Was there such a thing in that livestream…?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Kôzuke… please tell us what it is you’re thinking of!

 

Kôzuke: It’s… uh… please remember what happened when Kenji got mad at Raiko that day !

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Furious} Leave… now!!! Or I'll make you fucking regret it!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Kenji, stay focused on what you're doing!

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Try me, big guy. 

 

She didn't even look at him as she said that… her gaze remained fully focused on the porthole. Whatever it was she was looking for, it was the only thing in her mind at that moment.

 

What happened next though… that much was impossible to predict. 

 

Kenji: {Furious} I've... I've had enough of your shit!!!!

 

Kenji: GRRAAAAAH!!!!!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} N-No!

 

Kenji turned away from his station and leaped towards Raiko!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Stop this!

 

Kenji: FUCK YOU!!!

 

She nonchalently turned to face him and then-

 

*BANG*

 

{Raiko uses Kenji's force against him and projects him on the floor over her shoulder, the impact of his body making the whole ship shake.} 

 

Kenji: ARGH!!!

 

Fusume: J-Jesus!

 

Kenji: My fucking arm… what the hell did you do!?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Oh… I do remember that!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} But… what does it change to our timeline of events exactly?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Did ya just wanna humiliate me… or what?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} The bitch got lucky… I don’t particularely wanna remember what happened that night… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-No… that wasn’t what I was trying to do… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Then… what exactly was the point of that intervention?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} S-S-Sorry!

 

 

Wait… that’s it!? There must be something else right?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Kôzuke… don’t be intimidated! Please tell us what you had in mind!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Th-That’s right! Hold your ground!

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} Well… I just wanted to say that uh… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Would Kenji really have managed to beat Raiko in a fight!?

 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Fuck yeah I could!

 

Kenji: {Sweating, fiddles with goggles} I mean uh… who knows right?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} I’m not sure that was the most strategic answer for you Kenji…

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Kenji’s definitely stronger than Raiko physically… it doesn’t seem impossible that he could have had the upper hand on her… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Anyway… do we even know for sure that a fought broke out in the submarine?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} That’s… a pretty good question actually. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It is a question that we must answer if we want to get the full truth… 

 

Did the killer and Raiko fight inside the submarine…? I think I have just the piece of evidence to answer that question!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Fusume’s account

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I have no doubts that the killer and Raiko fought in the submarine… Fusume can back me up on this!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} That’s correct… there definitely were signs of some sort of struggle in the cabin… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We can conclude that the killer and the victim had a physical intercation from which the former came out on top! 

 

Jessie: {Sad} I see… sorry for the useless question…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} S-So… there was a fight! Which means my question is valid!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Could Kenji really have beated Raiko in a fight?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Kôzuke… what are you trying to achieve here?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} I just don’t want us to make a mistake man… nothing more than that?

 

Could Kenji have beaten Raiko in a fight? She’s shown not once but twice that she could easily overpower him… the question isn’t so simple. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} As I said… Kenji definitely has brute strength… moreover, with the element of surprise on his side, I believe he definitely could have beaten Raiko… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Either way… somebody had to win that fight, and if Kenji couldn’t than I don’t know who else could!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} That’s a f-f-fair enough point… I uh… know that I c-couldn’t!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} You couldn’t hurt a flyga Oriana-chan… 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} On that topic… was it really possible to have the element of surprise in such constrained space?

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Considering the fact that Raiko was likely navigating the ship then yes… she could have been attacked from behind… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} D-Dammit… I guess that makes sense

 

{Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4MA78DV3W8

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} Hold on for a second!

 

Hayato: Shinto?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Fusume… what you just said… I think it creates a pretty big inconsistency!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} It does?

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} Here… let me show you! 

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t )

 

{Truth Bullets : Raiko’s dying message, Inside out umbrella, USB stick, Hikari’s photograph, Raiko’s masterkey }

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You’re saying that Raiko was in control of the submarine right?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes… I can’t imagine her accepting that Kenji navigates the ship… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It seems most likely that she was in the driver’s seat!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I see… then there definitely is a problem there!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Is that really so? 

 

Kôzuke : Is it related to what I said earlier?

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, points with finger} Please… recall what was needed to correctly navigate the ship… 

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful expression} What was needed…? As in the expertise required?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Or are you talking about the fact that you needed both hands on the helm at all time?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Either way, I see no problem here!

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Mmhm… maybe I was wrong then… 

 

 

===

 

Shinto’s quickly given up on his contradiction… but I think he might be onto something here… I should dig deeper and find the inconsistency he’s thinking about! 

 

 

 



SOLUTION : Inside out umbrella → I see no problem here!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 )

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Shinto… I think that I understand what you’re talking about! 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Is… that so?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Everybody who navigated the ship told us the same thing… you need both hands on the helm in order to stay in control of the submarine!

 

Kenji: Yeah… I think I made that pretty fucking clear!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Even though that much did not matter in the end considering that the submarine was a lie. 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Either way… Raiko knew that she needed both hands… and yet one of her hands was occupied right before her death!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} How could you know that for sure man?

 

Hayato: {Determined} The inside out umbrella that we found next to her body… it means that her umbrella was open before the fight broke… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} And if the umbrella was open then surely she had it in her hand at that time… I follow the logic. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} She did always have that umbrella on her didn’t she?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-But… why would she h-have it open at s-such a weird time?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I think she’d just have it open by default… but one thing’s certain…

 

Hayato: {Determined} If she was the one navigating the ship we wouldn’t have found that umbrella broken like we did!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Which means Raiko wasn’t in control of the ship… the killer was!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} WHAT!?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Nice deductions guys… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} If we take that fact into account… it would also explain why the victim’s body was not found directly next to the control table but rather a few feet behind it… 

 

{2D Diagram of the control room, circles labelled “K” and “V” are seen} 

 

Fusume: We thought that it was more logical for Raiko to be the one navigating the ship… but in reality… 

 

{K is seen at the helm while V is standing a few feet behind him} 

 

Fusume: It now makes more sense to believe the killer was actually the one in command!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} But… doesn’t that create yet another inconsistency?

 

Kôzuke: Again!?

Shinto: {Frowns} How could Raiko have been stabbed in the back by the killer who was standing in front of her! That makes no sense!

 

Fusume: {Shocked} That’s… a good point!

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} That seems complicated yes… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Moreover… would the killer really have been so foolish to leave the helm in order to kill the victim?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} If they were not aware of the submarine’s secret they would put themselves and the ship in great danger!

 

That’s true… this is getting more and more complicated by the minute… 

 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} These are all… interesting questions but sadly they do not change the facts. 

 

Kôzuke: Huh?

Fusume: {Dark look} Those security pictures… and Kenji’s lack of a defense are still very strong arguments against him. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And so we are back where we started…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Hnngh… 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Let me guess… you want me to answer all those questions for you right?

 

Oriana: That w-would be uh… n-nice. 

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} Well I can’t do that… because I never even went in the damn submarine remember?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Again with that…? Can’t you just tell us the truth?

 

Kenji: {Furious} What about you!? Can’t you just accept that perhaps I’m not lying!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} How can we do such a thing when all the evidence is pointing towards you!?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} This is bullshit… 

 

I’m back in the same spot… is there any way I can fight for Kenji’s innocence? 

 

And even if I could… should I? Am I getting majorly fooled?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We won’t get out of this stalemate until one the two sides budges you know…? Why not do this the easy way?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Heh… If someone’s opinion changes it won’t be me! I’ve been telling you the whole truth from the get go! 

 

Kenji: Someone knocked me out in Station A… and that’s it, I didn’t leave there until morning came!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} How are we supposed to believe that, Kenji!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} If o-only there was a w-w-way to know exactly what h-happened in Station A…

 

Jessie: {Sad} That sort of stuff doesn’t exist, Oriana-chan…

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Wait… n-no… could it be?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Reijiro… what happened!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I have just thought of something… but… I… cannot understand where my logic leads me. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Was that epiphany of yours triggered by Oriana’s comment?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} But that would mean that there is a way to know what happened in that room… I can’t think of anything like that!

 

A way to know what happened during the night… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Oh my god… I got it!

 

Such a device does exist… in fact, I can show it to everyone!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I can’t say for sure… but maybe, just maybe, we’ll be able to solve this mystery once and for all with this! 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Reijiro’s hidden camera

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Reijiro and I found hidden cameras in the computer lab… and Reijiro planted one on the blue building’s second floor last night!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} He d-did?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You’re only telling me this now?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hey! Don’t you know it’s against the law to film people without their consent!?

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Wait… but the second floor… does that mean that the camera captured the moment when Kenji was supposedly attacked?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Sadly… it did not.

 

{Flashback} 

 

{Raiko enters the shot} 

 

Reijiro: That… that is the victim! 

 

Hayato: Raiko… was on the second floor…? What was she doing here?

 

{Suddenly, she turns around and stares straight into the camera} 

 

Reijiro: A-Ah! Did she notice the camera?

 

Oh no… 

 

{She slowly approaches the camera, her face contorted in her usual evil smile before the screen goes black} 

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Reijiro: The victim noticed the camera and obstructed the view before she did anything else… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} She clearly did not want to be followed that night! 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} But then… that footage’s worthless isn’t it? 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Not quite… we’ve still got acces to the recording’s audio!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} O-Of course!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Is the audio really sufficiant to solve the mystery?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I don’t know… but if we listen carefully we just might be able to confirm or deny Kenji’s claims!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Then let’s give it a listen! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Silence everybody… I shall play it now. 

" …

 

 

*Creak*

 

 

???: What the-

 

*THUD*

 

 

*Creak*

 

 

*Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*Ding Dong Ding Dong*

 

 

 

*Ding Dong Ding Dong*"

 

… 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} That wasn’t very clear was it… 

 

Reijiro: {Looks down with glasses shining} This… this… 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} No way!!!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Reijiro?

 

His reaction… there must be something important in that audio… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I think that we can link each sound to the action that caused it… from that we’ll be able to know what happened exactly!

 

Hayato: We’ve got a first *Creak* … That’s got to be the door to Station A opening.

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Sounds plausible… I have noted that the door was indeed quite creaky. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

*CREAK*

 

What the-

 

Hayato: Was that… the door?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Yeah… about that.

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} Kurozo told me that he tried putting oil on the door hinges as a “routine checkup” and it made the creaking worse than before…

 

Raiko: {Evil smile} We’ll just have to deal with it for now.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Next we hear a male voice screaming “What the…” before a loud thud. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} That voice… it’s Kenji’s right? Isn’t that the moment he was hit by Raiko?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Yeah… that’s my voice alright. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Okay… we’ve identified those sounds. Next we hear another “Creak”… We can agree that this is the Station A door being closed. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Right… and after that we can hear footsteps… and finally the sound of a bell… followed by another one!

 

I think… I’m starting to understand Reijiro’s reaction! But… what does this mean?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Guys… the door was opened and closed once… and that’s it!

 

Hayato: {Determined} That means that nobody left Station A after the door was closed for the first time!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} But… couldn’t the killer and Raiko have left Station A at the same time?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} No… not only is that illogical… we can only hear a single set of footsteps after the door is closed… 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} No way… you don’t mean to say… 

 

I think I do… 

 

Oh well… time to confuse everyone I guess. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} This audio proves that only one person left Station A! And that person must be Raiko! 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So… Kenji… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} He was telling the truth!

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} …

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Finally some recognition hehe… 

 

I don’t know where this line of thinking is bringing me… but I must pursue it and see what the logic conclusion is! 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Are we really saying that Kenji never left Station A? Doesn’t that contradict basically everything we’ve said so far during the trial?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I think it does… and yet that audio seems pretty clear. 

 

The obvious photos aside… there’s one more piece of evidence that becomes stranger once we look at it this way… 

 

That piece of evidence… it’s this! 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Jules Vernes Jingle!

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music :   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU )

 

Hayato: {Determined} This conclusion creates a big contradiction as far as the jingles go!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s right… the footage audio clearly shows us that the jingle was played twice at a few minutes’ interval!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} We assumed that the first was the victim and the second was the killer… but that theory does not hold anymore from what we know… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Or perhaps you just got your killer wrong dammit!

 

Fusume: {Confident} No matter that… those jingles prove to us that only two people went down that staircast last night!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-But… who was that?

 

There must be a way to explain all this. 

 

I need to solve this all… quickly… 

 

Think, Hayato… think!

 

LOGIC DIVE BEGINS

 

Q1: Who caused the first Jingle?

{Me/Raiko/The blackened}

 

 

 

Answer: Raiko



Q2: How many people went down the Jules Verne Staircase after her?

{None/One/Two}

 

 

 

 

Answer: One



Q3: Who is that person?

{Kenji/Kurozo/The true killer}

 

 

 

 

Answer: The true killer

 

===

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU )

 

Hayato: The first jingle was caused by Raiko… that’s for certain. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} And considering the fact that somebody must have gone to the hangar to kill her… we can only conclude that the second jingle was caused by the true culprit in this case!

 

Kozuke: {Worried} The… true culprit?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But didn’t we just conclude that Kenji genuinely stayed in Station A all night?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} We did do just that… my recording does not lie. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} But then… that means… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It means that Kenji… isn’t the killer!

 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Hallelujah… you’ve finally come to the right conclusion… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} How… how was I so wrong once again?

 

Fusume: {Pulls on hair} I’m even more of a failure than I thought… 

 

Oriana: {Cries} S-So we were wrong… the wh-whole time?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} N-No… this conclusion makes no sense!

 

Hayato: Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} The audio is one thing… but what about those pictures!? How can you explain them in light of what we have concluded?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} It’s true… those pictures really contradict our conclusion don’t they?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} The security pictures clearly show Kenji-kun… and yet he never left Station A!? How is that possible!?

 

Kozuke: {Grasps medals} He definitely couldn’t have been in two places at once man!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Does that mean… that those pictures are fake?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} No… I don’t think that Kurozo would give us fake pictures…

 

Hayato: {Grinning} The figure on the other hand… I believe we could be dealing with a fake Kenji!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} A fake… me?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} But Hayato… we’ve already established that it was impossible for any one of us to mimic Kenji’s build !

 

Hayato: We did come to that conclusion… but it must somehow be wrong! That’s the only way!

 

Those pictures… now that I think about them they’re almost comically targetting Kenji… 

 

Yet… there’s something weird about them… Something I noticed from the get go but didn’t pay sufficient attention to!

 

{The figure’s posture/The figure’s clothes/The picture’s lighting}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: The figure’s posture

 

===

 

Yes… that’s right… that person’s posture definetly feels odd… the shoulders are too far apart and both feet seem almost stuck to the ground… 

 

Not only that… but that pose is almost exactly the same in both pictures… 

 

Wait… could it be…?

 

But… but that’s crazy…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I think… that I might be onto something… 

 

A way for Kenji’s build to have been faked by the killer… it’s… it’s… 

 

What I’m about to say feels crazy… and yet the evidence pushes me in this direction… 

 

Those pictures could have been faked using this! 

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csp8A4G7y-c )

 

Question: What did the killer use to impersonate Kenji? 

 

-----

 

N M A F I L D S F U A T E 

 

===

 

… 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : S T U F F E D  A N I M A L 

 

===

 

Yes… those stuffed animals from Station C… despite how crazy that sounds… I think you could have dressed one up in Kenji’s clothes and used it to trick the camera… that would definitely explain the posture problem and how Kenji's build was faked… 

 

All I need to figure out now is which animal was used-

 

Wait… no… that picture…

 

Hold… on… just… a… second… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCho8m4Zyc)

 

Fusume: {Softly} Hayato… you’ve turned pale… what’s wrong?

 

Have I just stumbled… onto… the truth?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You’ve got it right?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} What?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} You’ve realised who the killer is…

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I’ve seen that expression on your face one too many times. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato… do you really know who killed Raiko? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} if you do… you must tell us now!

 

The person who impersonated Kenji… and therefore the only person who went down to the hangar last night… 

 

That person has to be the killer… there’s no doubt about it…

 

But… that person… it’s… 

 

N-No… it can’t be… I won’t accept it… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} No matter how hard the truth is to accept… you must pursue it fully!

 

No… please… don’t make me say it… 

 

Everything now points to one person and one person only… 

 

I… I don’t understand why that person would do such a thing… but I can’t back away from the truth.

 

Hayato: {Defeated} The person who’s actually present in those security pictures… the true killer… it can only be… you!

 

CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT! 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} …

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …

 

Fusume: {Hurt} …

 

Kôzuke : {Grasps medals} …

 

Jessie: {Scared} …

 

Kenji: {Furious} …

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} …

 

Raiko:

 

Yoshi 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} … 

 

Yoko

 

Kyia  

 

Tadao  

 

Fukami

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

Rina

Notes:

Looks like it's time to finally accuse someone! Have any idea who Hayato's got in mind? I'm excited to hear what you think in the comments or in the discord server!

Once again, I'm very sorry for the delay here but now that I'm in holidays, the fic will finally go back to it's biweekly schedule. I'm glad to be back and as usual, your feedback means a ton to me.

Thanks for sticking around despite the wait and of course thank you for reading!

See you in the next one ;)

Chapter 50: Chapter 4 : 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea : Class Trial part 3

Notes:

As promised, we are back on schedule as we continue on with the trial!

Time to see who Hayato's about to accuse…

Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

That person… I… I can’t possibly accuse them… 

 

The murderer… it cannot be… I won’t accept this outcome… I can’t… 

 

But… there’s not other possibility is there?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato! We’re waiting on your answer here!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Y-You don’t really know who the k-killer is do you?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Can it really be done… this early in the trial?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I… I… I just don’t know… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You don’t? You sounded pretty damn convinced a few seconds ago… 

 

Hayato: I’m… sorry… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hey Hayato… 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Hikari!?

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Just take your time… go through your reasoning one more time… we’ll follow your intuition!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Th-That’s right man… you’re basically always right with your theories… just say what you’re think and we’ll take it from there… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Still… he can’t just through accusations he hasn’t thought through… 

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} We could be condemning someone to death here… that’s not to be taken lightly… 

 

Jessie: Just… follow your gut Hayato-kun!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} My… gut?

 

But what my gut’s saying… it’s… it’s…

 

… 

 

No! I… cannot let my emotions get the better of me! 

 

If I take everything we know so far and I reassemble the information logically… I will definitely reach the truth!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Ahem… you guys are right. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} I haven’t told you everything I’ve been thinking about… I’ll give you my logic and we’ll see if we all come to the same conclusion. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Mhm… that sounds fair. 

 

{Close-up on the security picture that shows the large shadowy figure}

 

Hayato: Reijiro’s hidden camera has proved without the shadow of a doubt that Kenji never left Station A. 

 

Kenji: As I’ve been saying from the very beginning…

 

Hayato: Furthermore… we can assume that Kurozo’s not lying to us when he states that the photos were not doctored in any way… 

 

Hikari: But… that creates an inconsistency doesn’t it? How can that picture be real when it clearly shows Kenji walking down that staircase.

 

{Back to normal}

 

Fusume: {Confident} As we’ve been repeating over and over again… nobody other that Kenji has a similar height and build to the figure in the picture.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Correct… and there’s only one way around that contradiction. 

 

Hayato: The killer must have gone down the stairs to reach the hangar… but the only person we can see entering and exciting the crime scene seems to be Kenji… 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} We know that Kenji cannot be the killer… so the question that we must answer is how did the killer replicate Kenji’s build in order to fool us into believing that he was the killer!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You mean… that the killer faked Kenji’s build to frame him? 

 

Hayato: Yes… that’s the only possible option. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-But… how c-could the killer have d-done such a thing…?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} This is where things get a little crazy… because there’s only one way the killer couldhave achieved this…

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoh-Z_TS_xE )

 

Hayato: {Determined} And that’s by using one of the stuffed animals from Station C! 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Whaaaat!!?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Are you insane!?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Just think about it… Station C was filled with a plethora of stuffed animals of all sizes… 

 

{Close-up on the picture}

 

Hayato: If the culprit used an animal that’s about as big as Kenji… considering the awkward angle of the camera and the dark lighting…

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Don’t you think we could have mistaken a stuffed animal for Kenji?

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} That’s… that’s ridiculous!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Could it really be…? That… that picture…? We’re looking at a stuffed animal!?

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} S-Sorry but… is there really a s-s-stuffed animal that f-f-fits that d-description?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} There… was a big polar bear in there… in Station C… I think it was roughly as big as Kenji-kun… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} A polar bear huh…? That’s how you guys were fooled?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Is that… really so?

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} W-Wait no! That’s impossible!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} It is…?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Well yeah… the figure’s clearly wearing Kenji’s clothes… it’s pretty obvious that we’re not just looking at a stuffed polar bear right?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Hngh… I g-get it… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} This means… that person… 

 

They finally get it… the horrible truth behind Kôzuke’s innocent remark… the culprit’s identity. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Why are you guys… making such scary faces…? Did I say something wrong?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} No Kôzuke… you’ve hit the nail right on the head… 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} I… h-have?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Kôzuke’s right… we can clearly see Kenji’s signature camo pants and goggles in the security picture… that’s another reason why we assumed that Kenji was the one… 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} We thought that he was foolish enough to head to the crime scene with his usual clothes… but it was the other way around… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Considering that Kenji isn’t the one in the picture… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Which means the culprit put Kenji’s clothes on the polar bear to further frame him of their crime… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} But… h-how did they have a-access to Kenji’s clothes l-like that?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s the question… and there’s only one person who actually could have done that… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} The… blackened?

 

Jessie: {Serious frown, crossed arms} Who is it!?

 

The killer’s identity… my mind’s already made up… I clearly haven’t made any sort of mistake. 

 

There’s only one person who it could be… 

 

 

 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Hikari… it’s got to be you!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} H-Hayato…

 

Jessie: Hikari-chan!? That’s impossible!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I’m afraid that it is not…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hikari… she’s the only one… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} But… why her?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Yeah… explain yourself dog!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I… It’s because… 

 

Hikari: {Smiles softly} Hey, Hayato!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Huh!?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Speak your mind freely okay? 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} H-Hikari…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Why… is she reacting like that!?

 

Hikari: {Smiles softly} Hayato hasn’t been wrong so far… so if he thinks I did it, I’d like to know why… that’s it!

 

Her… face… why is she so calm!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Hikari… is this not getting to you at all?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Well of course… I don’t like being accused of a murder like that… I want you guys to trust me… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} But that doesn’t mean I’m just going to get mad about it! These trials are about working together as a team aren’t they?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} I’m not sure you’ve grasped the right concept here… 

 

Hikari: Hayato… please, don’t feel bad about this okay…? If your logic brought you here then I want to hear why you think I did this!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I… I can’t… 

 

Can I really… accuse Hikari like that? Send her to her death… after everything?

 

… 

 

Hikari: {Smiling softly} …

 

N-No… I can’t turn my back to the truth… even if the outcome’s hurtful… I have to stay true to what I believe in… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Ahem… I don’t want to believe that Hikari could be the mastermind behind this case… but the evidence does point me in that direction.

 

Hikari: {Smiles softly} And why is that?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} The clothes… Kenji’s clothes… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Guys! You know what will cheer everyone up?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} World peace? Freedom? Chocolate?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Uh… these are all valid guesses Jessie but I think I can do you one better!

 

Oriana: {Shocked} B-Better than w-world peace!?

 

Hikari: {Bead of sweat} Well… more achievable, at least.

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Then… wh-wh-what is it!?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Clean clothes!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Station B’s got a perfectly functional washing machine! If Kurozo won’t wash our clothes like Monokuma used to then we’ll have to do it ourselves!

 

Oriana: {Shocked} N-No way!

 

THAT shocked her!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But man… who’s going to do it?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I will! I volunteer as tribute!

 

Oriana: {Shocked} …

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} … Such a generous offer…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Are you sure Hikari? We could organise some sort of rotating system-

 

Hikari: {Smiles} No can do! It was my idea and I’ll do it!

 

Hikari: I really don’t mind!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Hikari volunteered herself to clean our dirty clothes because Kurozo wouldn’t do it himself…

 

Hayato: {Determined} Which means she could have easily had access to Kenji’s pants and goggles!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I did… give her a pair of goggles as well as my clothes… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} If the killer really dressed a stuffed polar bear into making it look like Kenji… then the only person who could have done that is Hikari!

 

Fusume: {Confident} In fact… even if another method was used… considering the fact that the figure is wearing Kenji’s clothes… the killer must have been someone who had access to his outfit. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} That person can only be you Hikari…

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} It all makes too much sense… how did I miss this?

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Huh… I see… so that’s why you suspect me… because I had access to Kenji’s clothes… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} However… I have to object to your reasoning!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} R-Really? 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Well… you say that I must be the killer because I had access to Kenji’s clothes… but Station B was public you know! Anybody other than me could have taken his clothes from the laundry basket!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} That… that’s true isn’t it?

 

Is… is it?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} No… that is wrong…

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Reijiro…?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} You said so yourself… the clothes themselves would not be left out in the open… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I can store them and put them to dry in my room so you don't have to worry about anything being stolen! I'll take care of it!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… if the workload sits well with you then it is a done deal.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The clothes were stored in your room… which means that nobody other than you could have gotten access to them!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Hngh… 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Hikari… are you still going to deny your guilt… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I didn’t kill anyone… I know that much for sure!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} But… I’m not sure what I’m supposed to say… 

 

Kenji: {Close-up on face} THAT’S ENOUGH!

 

{Split-screen between Kenji and Hayato} 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Kenji…?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} This… this is fucking stupid man… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} What are you doing Kenji…?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I’m doing exactly what you claim to do all the time… I’m following my gut!

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} I said I’d side with the blackened for taking out the trash… but this doesn’t feel right…

 

Kenji: {Furious} Hikari… isn’t the killer!

 

Why is Kenji protecting her all of a sudden…? This goes against everything he’s been saying so far… doesn’t he want us to get it wrong to protect the killer?

 

So… what the hell’s going on now?

 

===

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4w_7v_BHM )



{Truth Blades: Raiko’s dying message, Wrecked Station C, Security footage}

 

Kenji: 

 

I’m obviously gonna vouch for my innocence…

 

And frankly… I’m fine with the killer getting away with it this time!

 

But this is obviously wrong… 

 

Your whole theory’s ridiculous!

 

The blackened did find some way to make themselves look like me… 

 

But a stuffed animal seriously?

 

Are you braindead or something?

 

ADVANCE

 

Hayato: Well… if that figure really was a stuffed animal it would explain both the stature and the awkward pose in both pictures!

 

Kenji: 

 

I don’t believe it… not one bit!

 

That theory came completely out of nowhere!

 

You gotta look at the pictures dammit… 

 

You really believe that you’re looking at an inanimate object?

 

There’s obviously some other trick you haven’t thought of here!

 

You missed something in those pictures

 

Just think about it…! 

 

 

I… don’t understand what he’s doing… but I know that he’s wrong in his argument. 

 

I guess I should point that out first and then see if something starts making sense… 

 

===

 

 

 


SOLUTION : Wrecked Station C → That theory came completely out of nowhere!

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoh-Z_TS_xE)

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} You’re wrong about that Kenji… there actually is some evidence that backs up the stuffed animal theory!

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Station C where all the stuffed animals were stored was ransacked last night… as if somebody was desperately looking for something. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Something… like the animal that would fit Kenji’s size best!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Precisely!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I had trouble figuring out how the wreckage of Station C was related to our case… but if you think of it this way then it all makes a lot of sense! 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} The killer realised they could use Kenji’s clothes and a stuffed animal to frame him for the murder… and so they hastily searched through Station C to find the perfect Kenji lookalike… that’s why we found it in such a state!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Which means the stuffed animal theory isn’t completely baseless as Kenji claimed it was!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} … Fair enough… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You’re… not gonna argue or anything?

 

Kenji: What’s the point…? I’m just trying to do what’s right… 

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} I don’t know what’s what anymore… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} D-Does… that mean that H-Hikari really d-did it?

 

Hikari: {Sad} … 

 

Why… isn’t she defending herself!?

 

She… she can’t be the killer! So why is everything suddenly pointing at her? 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Are you really not going to say anything…?

 

Hikari: {Smile softly} Is there really anything I could say that’d make you believe me? 

 

Yes! Dammit, yes there is!

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Can I just have something clarified quickly?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What is it?

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} You say that the killer used the stuffed bear to fool us into believing Kenji was the one who was pictured walking down the staircase… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} But… the blackened still had to take that staircase to head to the submarine right…? So where exactly are they on the picture?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} That’s… a really good question Shinto-kun!

 

{Close-up on the picture} 

 

Where the true killer is standing in this picture…? There’s only one possibility isn’t there?

 

{In front of the bear/Behind the bear/Somewhere else}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Behind the bear

 

===

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The killer must have been hiding behind the bear… that’s the only possibility. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Behind… the bear?

 

{Close-up on the figure’s legs} 

 

Hayato: The use of Kenji’s pants was actually very ingenious… 

 

Hayato: The baggy nature of his camo pants left no space between his legs… if you combine that with the bear’s large build… 

 

{The camera angle shifts to behind the bear where a grey silhouette can be seen crouching behind it}

 

Hayato: By hiding behind the bear and slowly carrying it down the staircase… the killer would have made themselves completely invisible to the camera… 

 

Hayato: While simulatenously framing Kenji for their own crime!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I see… so that’s how it was done… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hikari was small enough to hide behind that bear… right?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Yes… everything suddenly seems to be pointing at Hikari… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} … 

 

Is she… really not going to say anything? 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Are… w-we going to v-vote then…?

 

{Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34 )

 

Jessie: {Determined} N-No! We need to give Hikari-chan a chance to defend herself! 

 

Jessie: {Wiping tears} Please say something Hikari-chan… je ne veux pas te perdre!

 

Hikari: {Sad} Jessie… 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Defend myself…? I guess I could do that!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} So… you have a defense?

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Why didn’t you say so earlier!?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I’m sorry everyone… I guess I was at a loss for words there… 

 

Hikari: {Smiles softly} Believe it or not, but being accused of murder’s actually pretty destabilizing…

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} But… Hikari you didn’t do this did you?

 

Hikari: {Sad} No… I didn’t kill anybody… I swear. 

 

Y-Yes… that’s what I needed to hear… 

 

I must have gotten something wrong… there’s no way that Hikari’s actually the blackened.

 

She’ll explain everything… and it’ll be fine… 

 

Reijrio: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… we shall now listen to your defense… 

 

Hikari: {Passioante stance} Very well! I’ll do my best!

 

Please Hikari… don’t mess this up!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS



{Truth Bullets : Security Footage, My recollection of events, Shadowy figure’s missing shoes, The File, Wrecked Station C}

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I really want you guys to believe me!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I swear that I didn’t kill Raiko!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But… if you didn’t, then who did? 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Nobody other than you could have gone to the hangar man!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Considering that the Jules Vernes staircase was the only way to reach the hangar… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Only the person who impersonated Kenji could have reached the submarine! 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Wh-Which means… that the p-person in the ph-photo is the k-killer right?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} And that person… it’s Hikari isn’t it?

 

Hikari: {Sad} …

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Have we really proven that Hikari-chan is the only who could have done it?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Considering that she was the only one other than Kenji who had access to his clothes… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I see no alternative to her guilt!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} But… that’d only be the case… if Kenji’s innocence had been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Maybe we misinterpreted that audio recording!

 

Hikari: {Sad} I’m innocent… and there isn’t really a way to prove my guilt is there? 

 

Dammit… this isn’t good… 

 

Not only did she fail to really defend herself… there’s actually quite a big hole in her argument… 

 

I have no choice but to point it out… do I?

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Shadowy figure’s missing shoes → and there isn’t really a way to prove my guilt is there?

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Hikari… I’m sorry… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} What is it…?

 

Hayato: There actually… is a way to prove your guilt… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} There is…?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… please, do enlighten us… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} There’s one thing that I just couldn’t understand until now… but I think it finally makes sense… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Wh-What are you talking about man?

 

Hayato: It’s something that… Jessie pointed out to me earlier… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} M-Me?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hayato-kun… it might be nothing… but I think I've noticed something unusual about those security pictures…

 

Hayato: You have!? Why didn't you tell the whole group?

 

Jessie: {Bites nail} I… don't know who to trust anymore… but I have faith in you, I know you'll make good use of this. 

 

Hayato: Wow, Jessie I'm flattered. 

 

Jessie: Quick, look here… at the figure's feet!

 

{Close-up on the hooded person's feet} 

 

Jessie: They're not wearing any shoes!

 

Hayato: H-Hey, you're right! That person's only wearing socks on their feet! That's definitely strange…

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The figure in question was wearing Kenji’s clothes… but they weren’t wearing any shoes. 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} That’s d-d-definitely weird… 

 

Hikari: {Serious} So… are you saying that the fact that the figure isn’t wearing shoes proves I did this?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I’m afraid… that it does…

 

Hikari: {Wraps arms against herself, scared} H-Huh!?

 

Hayato: It’s… b-because… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} She didn’t have access to my shoes.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} She… didn’t?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I gave her all my clothes… and a pair of goggles… but no shoes. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I presume his boots would not have belonged with the rest of the laundry. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Exactly… there was no reason for me to give her my shoes… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} It's possible to put shoes in a washing machine…

 

Kenji: Maybe so, but I kept my boots, you never had access to them, unlike the rest of my clothes. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} If the figure in the picture somehow was Kenji… there’d be absolutely no reason for him to have his shoes off… 

 

Hayato: If you look at the picture… you can see that the figure’s wearing socks… likely to hide the fact that these were not human feet… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} They were the feet of that stuffed polar bear which had been dressed in Kenji’s clothes!

 

Hayato: The fact that the shoes were missing proves that the one pictured in the security footage wasn’t Kenji… it was someone impersonating Kenji with his clothes!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} And the only person who had access to Kenji’s clothes but not his shoes… it’s you Hikari!

 

Hayato: There’s no one but you… 

 

 

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a

 

Hikari: {Sad} … 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Hikari-chan… 

 

Hikari: {Smiles softly} I guess… that it’s time to come clean isn’t it?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} C-Come clean…?

 

Hayato: Hikari… no!

 

Hikari: {Serious} There’s no point in hiding… I’ll tell you exactly what it is that I did last night!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… at last it comes to this… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} So you… killed Raiko?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

No… I… I don’t want to believe this…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Tell us what happened already… 

 

Hikari: {Serious} Raiko… came to see me last night… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Came to see you!?

 

Hikari: {Sad} I couldn’t sleep… so I found myself wondering around the blue building late at night… and believe it or not… I ran into Raiko… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} And you killed her… 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} That’s… not exactly what happened… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} It’s you… what are you doing here late at night!?

 

Hikari: I should be asking you the same question you know…

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} I’m close to figuring it out… I can’t be interrupted… 

 

Hikari: Figuring… what out?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Everything! I think… that I understand everything!

 

Hikari: Raiko… I don’t know what you’re telling me… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} That… doesn’t matter… I need your help!

 

Hikari: My help?

 

Raiko: Please… just do as I say and do not question me!

 

Hikari: Raiko… why should I trust you? How do I know this isn’t some sort of trap?

 

Raiko: {Hides behind umbrella} I have no time to reason with you… just please… have faith in me… our lives could all be at stake… 

 

Hikari: Faith… in you?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} She never explained her motives to me… but I ended up deciding to trust her. 

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} You trusted… Raiko!?

 

Hikari: {Sad} I didn’t know what else to do… she said that our lives were at stake… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I couldn’t just refuse could I!?

 

Jessie: So… you did what Raiko-chan had asked!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You clearly… have too much faith in others… 

 

Hikari: I’m sorry… but I did it… I followed all of her instructions… every single one. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated}But what in god’s name did she ask you to do!?

 

Hikari: {Sad} She said… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Listen very carefully… I will head down to the hangar for one final time… we won’t need to use the submarine ever again after I do so… 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You will wait one hour or so, and then here’s what you’re going to do.

 

Raiko: You will go to your room and take Kenji’s clothes.

 

Hikari: Kenji’s clothes!? Why would I do that-

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Do not… question me!

 

Hikari: Ngh…!

 

Raiko: You will go to Station C and find an animal that’s about as tall and wide as Kenji is… and you will put his clothes on it!

 

Hikari: You want me to… disguise the stuffed animal into Kenji?

 

Raiko: Precisely! After that’s done, you will take it to the staircase and head to the hangar while making sure you’re well hidden from the camera. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} The camera must only see the animal… do you understand?

 

Hikari: Y-Yes… I do!

 

Raiko: When you’ve reached the hangar, you’ll immidiately head back up the stairs using the same technique to stay hidden from the camera!

 

Raiko: Once you’ve done that, get rid of all the evidence and get back to bed… you got it?

 

Hikari: I have but… I don’t understand anything Raiko… why would you want me to do all that?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} You’ll understand soon enough… I’ll explain everything tomorrow. 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} No go! I trust you… will you trust me?

 

Hikari: Raiko…

 

Raiko: Do not disappoint me! {Leaves} 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Sad} That’s the last thing she told me… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I see… so your plan was her idea?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} All I did… was follow what she asked me to do. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} And yet… you killed her.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} N-No!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} No…?

 

Reijiro: {Frustrated, clenches fist} What are you saying exactly?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I confess to following her plan… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU )

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I did not kill Raiko!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You didn’t!!?

 

Oriana: N-No way!!!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} That’s… absolutely ludicrous!!

 

Hikari: {Sad} I would have gotten to that part quicker if you had let me finish… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} That doesn’t… make any fucking sense!!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’re saying that you impersonated Kenji… and then simply left the hangar?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} That’s it! 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} As I said… I simply followed her instructions, nothing more! 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} You… didn’t kill her?

 

Hikari: {Sad} No… I didn’t. I never thought she would die… I just wanted to help her…

 

Hikari {Smiles softly} You believe me… right Hayato?

 

Hayato: I… 

 

What… what am I supposed to do?

 

I want to believe her… but am I not being too naive? 

 

Hikari… 

 

(Music :   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50yShkEarT4 )

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Since he is seemingly not going to answer your question, I will do so for him… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Your story is ridiculous!

 

Hikari: {Wraps arms against herself, scared} R-Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I do not mean to offend you… but I simply cannot believe that you are not the killer!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Wh-Why not!?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You mean… that you believe her explanation? Does it not seem too convenient to any of you? 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hmh… how so?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} The Ultimate Schemer died after setting up a plan which our suspect followed… but she’s got nothing to do with the murder? I find that hard to believe!

 

Hikari: {Sad} It’s the truth though… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Not only is your story convenient, it’s also completely impossible!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} R-Really?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Reijiro… you’re refering to the single entrance nature of the hangar correct?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Precisely… that staircase was the only way to reach the hangar… and the only person who admitted to using that staircase was you!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Reijiro: {Points at Hikari} If you really were innocent… then that would crated yet another locked room mystery since there was no other way for the killer to enter and leave the hangar other than that staircase… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You are the only person who could have gone to the crime scene… and by admitting that your involvement you have also confessed to the murder!

 

Hikari: {Wraps arms against herself, scared} N-No… it wasn’t me… 

 

… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I guess we have our answer huh…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Is this… really it? 

 

Oriana: {Crying} I d-don’t want to b-believe in H-Hikari’s guilt b-but… R-Reijiro’s right… o-only she could h-have done it I th-think… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} It appear… that this is the only way. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} No… n-no… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} It appears we have reached a conclusion… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} And despite how tragic this is… there is no alternative to this being the truth… 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} …

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I don’t expect you have any objections… right Hayato?

 

Hayato: I… I… 

 

What… am I supposed to do?

 

Hikari: {Sad} …

 

The look on her face… that’s not a killer’s expression… but Reijiro’s got a point. 

 

There’s only one way in and out of the hangar was the Jules Vernes Staircase… and Hikari’s the only one who used that, as proved by the security footage. 

 

It’s litteraly impossible for anybody but her to be the culprit… 

 

It hurts… it really fucking does… but I can’t fight the truth… 

 

I just have to accept it… 

 

 

 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Hayato. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Y-Yes?

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} You did well today. 

 

Hayato: I did? 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Yes… the entire class survives thanks to your insight. 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} I just hope that you’ll realise soon enough that this is not fiction!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} What…?

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} You come here with such confidence… determined and grinning when you identify a murderer… but you forget that you’re not the detective in a novel… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} These are real lives you’re dealing with… and you’re just playing a role… living your detective fantasies!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hnngh… I’m not… playing a role… 

 

I’m not a detective… what I write… is only fiction… 

 

So why am I sounding like a fucking character in one of my story… 

 

The truth… doesn’t define me… 

 

I make… my own decisions… 

 

And I won’t… accept this… 

 

Hikari’s my friend… and she’s no killer… 

 

Even if all of the evidence points at her being guilty… I won’t accept that truth… she will not be executed for this…

 

I won’t… let it happen!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Hold on just a moment!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… what is it now?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I… I don’t think that Hikari’s the killer!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Hayato…!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Y-You don’t?

 

Kôzuke: But… that’s impossible man!

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Surely… you must have airtight evidence to make such a daring claim… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} R-Right… of course I do… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Then please… show us that evidence… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Please remember that we were just about to reach the conclusion of the trial… if you are to interrupt this then I sincerely hope you have a good reason for doing so… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Prove your claim… with evidence!

 

Hikari: Hayato… you can do it right?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Don’t worry about it…

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} You need to work on your facial expressions Hayato-kun!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} So… show us that damn evidence already… I’m down to leave this place right about now… 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Let us see what you have up your sleeve Hayato… 

 

I made that claim on emotion alone… I simply cannot accept Hikari being the killer…

 

But of course, emotion won’t get her off the hook this easily… I need to find something better… 

 

Their allegations seem impossible to counter… I need evidence…

 

Is there anything that shows that Hikari couldn’t be the killer?

 

More than ever… I need to think… 

 

Come on now Hayato… you can’t mess up now!



SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: My recollection of events

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34 )

 

Yes… I got it!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You’re damn right I’ve got evidence to back it up Reijiro!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… interesting…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Can you really… prove her innocence?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yes… I believe that I can… using what I recall from this morning’s events. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} What you recall…? Go on?

 

Hayato: Here’s what happened when we discovered the body…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Is anybody there!? 

 

… 

 

No one… 

 

It's empty. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Why… where are they!? I thought we'd find at least one of them here!!!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} It's too late to give up… we still have to check the control room. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Whoever tried diving by themselves must be in there…

 

Hikari: HELLO!? IS SOMEONE IN THE CONTROL ROOM!?

 

 

Hikari: {Sad} No answer… 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Hngh… they must be here… it would make no sense for the submarine to be completely empty, we need to… we need to…

 

Reijiro never finished that sentence, he opened the hatch that separated the cabin and the control room, and stopped in his tracks immediately. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The three of us entered the submarine… and the body discovery announcement was triggered… 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Hnngh… that cannot be… 

 

Looks like he gets where I’m going with this!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} What does this mean exactly?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It’s simple… the BDA will ring whenever three people discover a body… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} And the k-killer isn’t included in th-those three people right?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Precisely…!

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I… I see… 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} The announcement would only be triggered if three spotless students found the body, and because only three of us were there when Raiko’s corpse was found… the killer cannot be one of us three. 

 

Hayato: In other words… not only can Reijiro and I not be the culprit… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Hikari must be innocent as well! Otherwise the BDA would not have been triggered!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-No way!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I can’t believe it… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Hayato… y-you did it!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} That’s right… the body discovery announcement is undisputable proof of Hikari’s innocence!

 

And I figured it out by believing in her… rather than blindly following the evidence!

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 )

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Undisputable…? I disagree.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Reijiro…

 

What does he have to say now?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} I agree with you in essence… three spotless students must have seen the body for that announcement to play… and there were only three of us in the submarine at the time… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} But don’t you agree that somebody simply could have seen the body before we did?

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} That’s… that’s… 

 

Dammit… I hadn’t thought of that… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Reijiro’s right… in fact, that’s exactly what happened during our second trial… Yoshi was one of the three who “discovered the body” but the announcement was still triggered because Tadao had found Rina’s body before us three. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Fair… enough… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hold on… this is different though!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} How so… Hikari-chan? 

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughful expression} Well, as we’ve said multiple time… the entry to the hangar was very restricted! 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Since you argue that no one but me could have killed Raiko because I’m the only one who could access the hangar… doesn’t that also mean that nobody could have seen the body after I left?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} If that was the case, they would have been seen in the security footage right?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hm… the argument is sound…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} And yet, I have to disagree once more. 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You do?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Under normal circumstances, what you are saying would stand… but the submarine was a special crime scene… wouldn’t you agree?

 

A… special crime scene…?

 

Reijiro: {Opens book} By that, I mean that the killer could have had an alternate way to see the body… that wouldn’t contradict the fact that only one person went to the hangar that night… 

 

A way to see the body without contradicting those facts…?

 

Kozuke: {Hides head in helmet} You mean… you could see the body without entering the hangar… that’s like impossible man!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You’d need superpowers or something…

 

No… I think Reijiro’s right… there was one way… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} If I follow your logic Reijiro… the killer could have seen the body… using this!



SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Submarine Livestream

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Whatever happened inside the submarine was livestreamed in the computer lab… which means that it was indeed possible to see the body without ever entering the hangar…

 

Hikari: {Wraps arms against herself, scared} R-Really…?

 

Hayato: Reijiro’s right… it was possible for somebody to have seen the corpse before the three of us did… which means…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hikari’s alibi isn’t so solid after all…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Damn… so she did do it after all huh? 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m afraid… that Hayato’s argument isn’t so decisive after all. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Please wait a second!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What now…?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Th-The fact that somebody could have seen the body through the livestream doesn’t mean that they did! 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} In fact… I believe that it’s unlikely that someone witnessed anything in that livestream… because if so they would have come forward with it already!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} That’s… actually true… 

 

Hayato: Considering that Reijiro, Hikari and myself are out of the picture… as well as the fact that Kenji and Oriana were locked in their respective rooms by Raiko before she died… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} The only ones who could have watched the livestream are Fusume, Shinto, Jessie and Kôzuke!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} It wasn’t me man! I… d-didn’t even go to the blue buidling all night!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Nobody’s accusing you Kôzuke… but Hayato’s got a point… if somebody did see the body, it must have been somebody out of the four of us… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I myself never left my room until Jessie woke us all up… so it wasn’t me!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hey, it wasn’t me either! I was sleeping comme un bébé until Kôzuke woke me up!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I had no reason to go to the blue building… I also stayed in my room until the commotion begun!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} The four of you… deny it?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} As I said! The fact that nobody came forward should be sufficient proof that no one saw the body through the livestream!

 

Hikari: And if that’s the case… then my innocence has been proved once more!

 

Well done Hikari! I don’t even have to speak anymore when she’s reasoning so well!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… this makes the livestream theory unlikely… but not impossible. One of you four could be lying… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} But why would any of us lie… we’re not connected to the crime… if the person who’d seen the body was the killer they wouldn’t count for the BDA would they?

 

Jessie: An innocent person has no reason to lie about having seen the body!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And yet… it has happened before… I’m afraid it’s too early to call Hikari innocent just yet!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I’ve uh… change m-my mind… I d-d-don’t want her to be the culprit anymore!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Emotions have no place in this debate… as long as Hikari’s innocence hasn’t been proved beyond the shadow of a doubt… I won’t be convinced… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I’ve told you from the beginning… Hikari’s no killer… this is all pointless. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} I j-just want this to end man… Hikari’s still the most likely suspect isn’t she? 

 

Kôzuke: The hangar question still stands man! Nobody could have reached the submarine but her!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} And yet the BDA proves my innocence alright! That means there must be something we’ve missed!

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy0JuVXTcUw )

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing} You all seem to be split, the trial’s getting boring, yada yada yada. You know it, I know it, Scrum Debate, let’s go!

 

I could feel this coming from a mile away… I need to convince the others that Hikari’s innocent… 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} No messing around with you Kurozo huh?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We should just get to it… no need to waste time… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} We’ll prove Hikari-chan’s innocence! I’m sure of it!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Heh… I will not lose this time… 

 

It’s time to convince those who still think that Hikari’s guilty…

 

I don’t have perfect evidence… but I know deep in my heart that she simply cannot have done this… 

 

Which means I’ll have to use my words to prove the others wrong!

 

We can do this… we must do this! 

 

(Music:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUvQ5RlFV6A )

 

{Scrum Debate : Start}

 

Hikari is guilty

 

Shinto: …

 

Kôzuke: …

 

Fusume: …

 

Reijiro: …

 

Shinto: …

 

Reijiro:  …

 

Fusume: …



Hikari is innocent

 

Hayato: BELIEVE

 

Oriana: JINGLE

 

Kenji: KENJI

 

Hayato: BDA

 

Hikari: PLAN

 

Hikari: HANGAR DOOR

 

Jessie: LIVESTREAM

 

 

Shinto: If Hikari imitated Kenji… it was because she planned to pin Raiko’s murder on him!

 

Kôzuke: Only Hikari went through the hangar door! The security footage proves that nobody went there but her!

 

Fusume: She’s the only one who accessed the hangar… that much can be proved by the absence of a third Jules Vernes Jingle! 

 

Reijiro: As I have already said… the BDA does not prove anything… our second trial should be sufficient proof of that! 

 

Shinto: One of us could definitely have seen the body before… somebody might simply be lying about watching the livestream!

 

Reijiro: This suspect went through such a complex plan to hide themselves from the security camera… all that for nothing? 

 

Fusume: The evidence’s unclear… but I simply can’t believe Hikari’s explanations!

 

{Scrum Debate : Ends} 

 

 

 

 

Answer : 

 

Shinto: KENJI

 

Kôzuke: HANGAR DOOR

 

Fusume: JINGLE

 

Reijiro: BDA

 

Shinto: LIVESTREAM

 

Reijiro: PLAN

 

Fusume: BELIEVE

 

===

 

Shinto: If Hikari imitated Kenji… it was because she planned to pin Raiko’s murder on him!

 

Kenji: Actually… she did it because Raiko asked her too… I don’t know what the bitch was planning… but framing Kenji wasn’t Hikari’s idea!




Kôzuke: Only Hikari went through the hangar door! The security footage proves that nobody went there but her!

 

Hikari: As I’ve said, there must be some way around the hangar door, perhaps another way in the hangar!?




Fusume: She’s the only one who accessed the hangar… that much can be proved by the absence of a third Jules Vernes Jingle

 

Oriana: The f-fact that there were o-only two Jingles doesn’t r-really prove a-anything does it? 




Reijiro: As I have already said… the BDA does not constitue proof… our second trial should be sufficient proof of that! 

 

Hayato: Actually, the BDA proves that Hikari isn’t the killer… it wouldn’t have been triggered otherwise!




Shinto: One of us could definitely have seen the body before her… somebody might simply be lying about watching the livestream!

 

Jessie: But why would anybody lie about the livestream , that would be löjlig and bordeline suicidal!




Reijiro: This suspect went through such a complex plan to hide themselves from the security camera… all that for nothing? 

 

Hikari: This wasn’t my plan! All I did was help Raiko in whatever she was doing! If I had known she’d be killed… I would never have participated!




Fusume: The evidence’s unclear… but I simply can’t believe Hikari’s explanations!

 

Hayato: No, the evidence’s far from sufficient for us to condemn Hikari… which means we should believe in her and in her innocence!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Determined} There are no real counterarguments to what we’ve said! In the current state of events, we have no choice but to believe in Hikari’s innocence! 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… fine… I suppose your argument is good enough… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I have no personal reason to accuse Hikari… if the evidence isn’t good enough… 

 

Fusume: {Softly} Then I’m happy to have faith in her!

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Perhaps… I was too quick in my judgement…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Damn… I’m sorry for doubting you Hikari…

 

Hikari: {Tearing up} Thank you everyone… I’m so happy you all trust me… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} You won’t regret having faith in me… by working together we’ll figure out who really did this! 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckx2nvp8L3g&t )

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} About that… we have reached an impass. 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} An i-impass? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I accept that the BDA does seem to prove her innocence… but the obvious problem remains… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Nobody other than her could have gone to the hangar… that much’s a fact!

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} And yet… all I’ve done while in the hangar was go up and down the stairs to trick the camera… that’s it!

 

Fusume: Now that I think about it… your involvement does explain how you knew where to go, back then…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: As for the rest of us… we should go-

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} The hangar… we should go to the hangar!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The… hangar…? Why there?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… I don't know… but I can just feel it. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} After everything Kenji said this morning… he must have tried to dive by himself!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} That means we must check out the hangar! 

 

Reijiro: You… how exactly would you know…?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Please have faith in me! 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I was dealing with Raiko… which meant I knew something could have gone wrong there…

 

Fusume: {Meditating} And you didn’t see anybody else in the hangar … did you?

 

Hikari: No… not that I can recall.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Hikari… about the submarine… when you entered the room, was it still attached to its clamp?

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful expression} No… it wasn’t… I didn’t think much of it considering I thought she was simply in the middle of a dive… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} But considering what we know… it actually means that the killer had already sabotaged the ship… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} So the k-killer must h-have d-done it… in th-that hour b-before you w-went there!

 

Hikari: I suppose so… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} This isn't particularely useful information… none of us have alibis considering we were all sleeping!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} And the main issue remains… how exactly did the killer enter and leave the hangar if it was not through the main staircase?

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} H-Hey… maybe they simply stayed in the hangar all night! That way they would not get pictured by the camera on their way out!

 

Kôzuke: The later would have simply joined us in the panic when we all went there! 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} No… that's not possible because everybody's movements are accounted for before we all entered the hangar… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Correct… everybody was seen outside of the hangar before anybody even entered the room… the killer must have left the hangar at some point!

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} And we know for sure that it wasn't suicide… 

 

Shinto: A murderer that flat out vanished… it really does seem impossible… 

 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} What… are we supposed to do know? We've reached a complete stalemate!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I just… wanna get out of here man… 

 

Oriana: {Cries} Will w-we ever… f-figure out the truth?

 

Fusume: {Confident} We must…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I just… don't know how… 

 

Everybody's losing hope… just like during Yoshi's trial… it's like there's no way for the murder to have happened… 

 

A murderer that defies the laws of physics… I can't say that I believe in such things… 

 

Which means there must be a logical explanation to all of this… we can't give up just yet!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Everybody! Times like now are the times when we must work together to figure out the truth!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Work… together?

 

Hikari: {Smiles softly} Let's brainstorm once more… and see if we figure anything out!

 

A brainstorm huh? That's what allowed me to understand how Yoko was killed last time around… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} We've got nothing to lose… let's do our best. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… indeed. 

 

I need to be extra thorough this time… and maybe… I'll finally figure things out! 

 

I can't let the others down… I need to give this my 200%!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS



{Truth Bullets : Raiko's dying message, Piece of brown tape, Security footage, Broken trident, Jules Vernes Jingle }

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We're looking for an alternate way of entry into the hangar right?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} That's not the biggest of our concerns… this murder's basically impossible

 

Jessie: {Sad} Kenji-kun…

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} Think back to the murder method… the killer had to get inside the submarine… somehow overpower Raiko, kill her, escape and then somehow vanish from the hangar!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} You'd need to be superhuman or something to do this… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Well… I'm sure there's a way to work around this… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Maybe… there was some sort of secret passage… just like in the Yellow Building! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Or perhaps we have simply misread the situation… there could be a crucial element of the case that we're still missing… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I don't want to be pessimistic here… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} But we've been over all of the important evidence… 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I just… don't know what to do anymore… 

 

 

Is there really something huge we've missed…?

 

Time to wrack my brain here I guess…  

 

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Piece of brown tape --> we've been over all of the important evidence

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

That piece of brown tape… from the moment I saw it, I knew it had to have some significance to the case… 

 

{Flashback}

 

Reijiro: This is the exact same type of tape as a roll I found in the storage room some days ago… it is advertised as extra strong tape.

 

Hayato: But then… what is that piece of tape doing here just resting on Raiko’s back…? It’s not stuck to anything is it?

 

Reijiro: No, you are correct… the tape is not adhered to any surface for the time being…

 

Reijiro: But it should be noted that it’s adhesive surface seems to have lost in its quality.

 

Hayato: And… that means what?

 

Reijiro: It is not as sticky as it should be… which leads me to think it was indeed stuck onto something and has been detached from that surface since then.

 

So… the tape was stuck to something and then it was detached from that…

 

The fact that we found it laying on Raiko’s back means it must be related to the case in some way…

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

I'm not sure how it's related to our case just yet… but it's something important that we haven't mentionned at all yet… I have to examine it in more depth… 

 

Could this piece of tape… singlehandedly get us out of this tangled mess…? 

 

I feel like I've got all the parts of the puzzle… I just don't know how they fit… 

 

I need to think… and to give this my all… one last time!

 

AFTERWORD BEGINS

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP7r1TVINsg )

 

Q1: What object found in the submarine is most likely to have been stuck to the tape? 

{Umbrella/Trident/USB Stick}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Trident



Q2: Does the fact that the trident was taped somewhere solve any of our problems?

{Hangar locked room/Submarine locked room/Neither}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Submarine locked room



Q3: Does this information solve our problems with the hangar door?

{Yes/No}

 

 

 

 

Answer: No

 

===

The only thing that I can think of which the tape could have been stuck to is the trident… and if there’s some sort of trick involved here, it could solve a big problem we've had so far… but it’s not enough. 

We still don't know how the killer entered the hangar… that should be my main focus!

I need to go deeper!

 

AFTERWORD RESUMES

 

Q4: What's still missing from our understanding of the case?

{How the killer entered and escaped the hangar/How the killer entered and escaped the submarine/How Raiko was killed} 

 

 

 

 

Answer: How the killer entered and escaped the hangar



Q5: Could the killer have simply used the main entrance? 

{Yes/No}

 

 

 

 

Answer: No

 

===

 

The killer must have had a way to enter and leave the hangar… but that can't have beeen through the main staircase… the security footage proves that…

 

This mean… that there must be another way out of the hangar!

 

And if I consider that fact… then there's only one real possibility… 

 

FINAL QUESTION

 

Q6: How did the killer really escape?

{In the water/Locked door at the back/Secret passage in the walls}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Locked room at the back

 

… 

 

CONCLUSION : THE LOCKED DOOR IN THE HANGAR COULD BE USED TO ESCAPE!

 

{BREAK}

 

Yes of course… I finally get it!

 

That locked room inside the hangar… the killer must have found some way to open it… and to escape… that's how they escaped…

 

If only I had a way to know where that door leads… 

 

 

H-Hold on… something's coming back to me… didn't Kurozo say something to me about locked doors earlier this morning… 

 

He said… what did he say?

 

 

 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} AHHHHHHHHH!!

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCho8m4Zyc)

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Did you… figure it out?

 

Kurozo… that son of a bitch… he gave me the answer… there and then… and I was too dumb to notice… 

 

That locked door in the hangar… it must have lead… there.

 

And if that's the case… the killer… 

 

I… can't believe this… but this time there's no doubt about it is there?

 

Hayato: The killer… I finally understand… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Y-You do!? But how?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} So the truth… finally comes out…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… tell us now!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Who is it!?

 

That person… but… that's… 

 

Is… is it really possible?

 

I… I can't hesitate… 

 

This trial has been an absolute rollercoaster of emotions… I… I can't say I understand how any of this is possible… but I must end it now… I must expose the true culprit… no matter who it is… 

 

Despite how impossible the whole thing seemed to me… I instinctively pointed my finger at my suspect, knowing that there was no going back from there

 

Hayato: {Determined} Raiko's killer… it can only be you! 

 

CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT: 

 

Hayato: {Determined} …

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …

 

Fusume: {Dark look} …

 

Kôzuke : {Grasps medals} …

 

Jessie: {Scared} …

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} …

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} …

 

Raiko:

 

Yoshi 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} … 

 

Yoko

 

Kyia  

 

Tadao  

 

Fukami

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

Rina

Notes:

And so we celebrate the 50th chapter of DR : AD with yet another cliff hanger. Time to accuse yet another student… but could this one be the one or will it be another fake out? You'll have to read on to find out.
As usual, I'm excited to hear your theories and your feedback, either in the comments or in the fic's discord server!

Thanks a lot for reading and for sticking with me for 50 chapters! I can't wait for you to see what I've got planned next!

See you in the next one ;)

Chapter 51: Chapter 4 : 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea : Class Trial part 4

Notes:

A few days late but we're still here!

Let's continue on with the class trial, we've got another accusation to get through! Could this one be the one?

Enjoy ;)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

{Select Oriana}

 

Oh god… this isn’t going to go down well with the others… 

 

Well… here goes nothing. 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU )

 

Hayato: {Determined} The killer… it’s got to be you… Oriana! 

 

Oriana: {Cries} M-Me!? Kyaaaaaah!

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} W-Wait… y-you’re not serious right?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hayato-kun… are you crazy? Did you really accuse Oriana-chan of murder?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} That’s beyond ridiculous man… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Don’t worry everyone… I’m sure Hayato’s tongue slipped that’s all!

 

Hikari: Come on… tell us who the killer really is now! 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} N-No… that was my final answer… Oriana’s the blackened. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} So… you really have lost your mind. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… you can’t be serious!

 

Fusume: You realise who you’re talking about right? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Mhm… yes… it came as a shock to me too… but my reasoning’s brought me here and everything is pointing to her!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} H-Hayato… wh-wh-wh-

 

Oriana: {Cries} WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Why would you make Oriana-chan cry like that!? What’s wrong with you!?

 

Oh boy… I can already tell that this won’t be fun… 

 

Hikari: {Serious} Hayato… are you sure about this?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I still need to clarify a few things… but I don’t think there’s much room for doubt. 

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} I… I… wh-what do I… d-d-do… in th-this… s-s-situation…?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} You wait until Hayato-kun appologises for saying something so insensitive… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Hey…! All I did was give you my theory y’know… I’m not insulting anyone…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} A-As I said… you’re theory’s ridiculous! 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} It really is fucked up that you’d accuse the most harmless out of all of us… 

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} The true killer deserves our praise… I won’t let you take that away from the blackened…

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} What the heck’s wrong with you Kenji…?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Ahem… before we all gang up on Hayato, perhaps it’s wise to hear him out… I’m sure there must be some reason for him to make such an accusation. 

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} Th-There better be one!

 

Jessie really doesn’t like me going after Oriana does she? Her protective side is coming off stronger than usual right about now…

 

This… won’t be easy

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Come on Hayato… tell us why you think she did it! 

 

(Music :   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 )

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} It’s all a question… of escape routes. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Escape routes?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} The true killer couldn’t have escaped through the staircase right?

 

Fusume: {Confident} No… the security pictures as well as Hikari’s confession seem to prove that. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} And from that we can conclude that there was an alternate exit route… correct?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} That’s what I believe… there must have been some other way for the killer to escape the hangar!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} B-B-But…

 

Oriana: {Cries} How does that make me the k-k-killer!?

 

Hayato: Give me a second, I’m getting there… 

 

{2D plan of the hangar is displayed on screen}

 

Hayato: The hangar is positionned a floor lower than the rest of the blue building… there are no neighbouring rooms to hide in and the only escape route we know of is that Jules Vernes staircase.  

 

Fusume: However, we have now proven that the culprit couldn’t have 

used the staircase to escape… which means that indeed, there must be an alternate pathway for the killer to have used. 

 

Reijiro: This… does seem logical. 

 

Kôzuke: So… do we know what that escape route could have been? Some sort of complicated contraction perhaps?

 

Hayato: No… there was much more obvious than that!

 

{Close-up on the locked door at the back of the hangar}

 

Hayato: This door… Kurozo told us to pay no attention to it… but I believe it could have been unlocked! That’s the escape route our killer used!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} That door? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} But how… it was locked until now… are you saying the killer found a way to open the door?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… after careful consideration… is that really so impossible?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} What do you mean?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Well, think back to the masterkey that was awarded to the victim for figuring out some aspect of the submarine’s secret… would it not be plausible that the killer also benefitted from such a resource?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} In Raiko’s hands… a masterkey could be very dangerous.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} H-How dangerous are we talking about exactly man?

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} This building’s just filled with open doors… what is she gonna do with that key?

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Th-That’s not true…! Th-there are a few l-locked doors in the b-blue building!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Hey! That’s well spotted Oriana-chan!

 

Oriana: {Blushes} Hehe… th-thank you!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} If that masterkey gives Raiko access to areas that are closed off to us… that’s pretty huge!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Yeah… about that.

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} The masterkey will only interact with doors that were originally open… it won’t open any of the doors that were locked to begin with.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} What if the blackened was awarded access to those multiple locked doors…? That would indeed create an alternate escape route for our killer to use!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Multiple locked doors? There are more than one?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Hngh…!! I… I get it… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Fusume-chan… not you too!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Sorry but… how can this locked room business bring you to the conclusion that Oriana did it?

 

Oriana: {Cries} I d-d-don’t understand… anythiiiiiing!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That… door… in the hangar… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Y’all are talking a lot of shit… but do we even know where that door led? 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} That’s… where the problem lies…

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasping podium} What are you taking about Hayato-kun! You’ve gone mad right? That’s the problem!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m afraid that isn’t the case… Hayato… I think… I think he might be right… 

 

Looks like Fusume’s finally on my wavelength… I’ve spent enough time explaining… it’s time to go on the offensive. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Fusume’s right… answering the question of where the door leads is what I believe enabled me to figure out the truth… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It all started with something… that Kurozo told me earlier today…

 

{Flashback} 

 

*Click* *Click*

 

Yep… still locked… 

 

Just wanted to make sure that this door hadn't been open since last time… 

 

I guess it really is quite a pointless door. 

 

Kurozo: {Appears} You know the saying… a locked door will never go further… than a locked door!

 

Hayato: And uh… what does that mean exactly?

 

Kurozo: Perhaps you should figure that one out for yourself heheh… {Leaves} 

 

As I said… pointless. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: I thought he was just being cryptic like he usually is… but I believe he was actually giving me a crucial clue in solving the case!

 

Kurozo: {Scratches trunk, sweating} Me…? A clue? You must be mistaken!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} No… I don’t think that I am… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The way you said it… there was obviously something up with that sentence… you’re not fooling me…

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} But… why would he tell you that? 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I… I don’t know… I’ve stopped trying to understand this guy’s actions to be fair…

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Heh… perhaps my logic simply transcends your simple minds… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… I am sure that must be it… 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} So… Kurozo let that much slip, fair enough… but I’m not sure where you’re going with this… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} It’s all quite simple once you think of it this way… Kurozo said that locked doors always led to another locked door… couldn’t that mean that our newly discovered secret passage might lead to the only other locked door in the building? 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} A door… that’s been locked since we arrived, just like the hangar’s door… a door which is situated exactly one floor above the hangar and which could easily be connected to the crime scene…

 

Reijrio: {Glare} You mean… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Hayato: {Determined} The “maintenance door” in the marinebiology lab! That’s the only locked door I can think of!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} But… but…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I believe that the door inside the hangar led right to that maintenance door which we were never allowed to open! That’s the only thing that makes sense!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} …

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Oriana… you were stuck in the marinebiology lab all night, weren’t you? 

 

Oriana: {Crying} Y-Yes… we’ve b-b-been over this! Raiko locked the d-d-door from the outside and I uh… c-couldn’t get out!

Reijiro: {Glare} …

 

Hayato: Then there’s no doubt about it!

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasping podium} No doubt about what!?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Oriana was never considered a suspect because her alibi was perfect… she was stuck in a lab and had no way out until Fusume freed her the next morning… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} W-Well… o-of course! There’s n-no way that I’m the k-killer-

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Things have changed drastically Oriana…

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilates} H-Huh? Wh-Why… why do you s-say that?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Can you not see…? How your albi has completely turned against you?

 

Oriana: {Cries} I… I… I… d-d-don’t understand!!!!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Back off guys! Can’t you see you’re upsetting her!?

Hayato: Sorry Jessie… I’m afraid upsetting her is going to be necessary if we want to reach the truth!

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasping podium} …

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Reijiro’s hit the nail on the head… Oriana’s alibi has become the undeniable proof of her guilt… 

 

{Map of the marinebiology lab is shown on screen, a pink circle labeled O represents Oriana’s movements} 

 

Hayato: We thought that Oriana was trapped in the marinebiology lab all night… but in reality, she wasn’t stuck there at all!

 

Hayato: If my theory’s right, the door at the back of the lab could have been unlocked by the culprit who then used it to reach the hangar through a secret passage which I believe was revealed to them after figuring out the submarine’s secret!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: What this means is that if such a passage exists… it becomes the most plausible escape route that we know of! 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} With the Jules Vernes staircase out of the picture… it appears that a secret passage like the one I’m proposing is the only way for our killer to have escaped!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Both the building layout as well as Kurozo’s remark lead me to believe that not only does this passage exist… but also that it can only lead to the marinebiology lab… where the last remaining locked door is situated. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} All this to say that the passage’s existance creates an alternate pathway for the killer to have escaped!

 

Jessie: {Sad} B-But… Oriana-chan… she was locked in the marinebiology lab… she was trapped there…

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Maybe so… but that doesn’t change anything for her, considering the fact that she was in the marinebiology lab all night… she easily could have used the passage to sneak out of the lab and head to the hangar.

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} Y-You don’t mean that Hayato-kun!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Either way… couldn’t someone else have used that hypothetical passage while Oriana was sleeping man!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Y-Y-Yes! I was sl-sleeping very deeply!

 

Hayato: I’m sorry… but that’s not possible!

 

Oriana: {Hyperventilating} Wh-Why not!?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Well… the door was locked from the outside wasn’t it? And Raiko was the one who had the only masterkey for the blue building!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That masterkey… it was found on her body… there’s no reason to believe that anybody else had access to it!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} That can only mean one thing… nobody other than Raiko could have open the door to the marinebiology lab all night… that only someone who was inside the lab before the door was locked could have had access to the secret passage!

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears flowing on podium} N-No… 

 

Hayato: As I said… Reijiro got it perfectly right… Oriana’s alibi is what will prove her guilt… the existence of a secret passage is the only logical way for our killer to have escaped the hangar… 

 

Hayato: Oriana was the only one who had access to the secret passage’s entrance… nobody else could have even gotten close to it considering that the door to the marinebiology lab had been locked by Raiko early on in the night… 

 

Hayato: All the evidence… it clearly points towards you Oriana Akiba, you’re the true killer in this case! 

 

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasping podium} …

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} …

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …

 

Kenji: {Furious} … 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} … 

 

Oriana: {Cries} Why are you… being so meaaaaaaan!!!

 

That’s her reaction to everything I just said? 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Oriana: {Wiping tears} I… d-d-don’t know wh-what I’ve d-d-done to upset y-you… Hayato… but… y-you’re being super mean right now!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} M-Mean…? I’m being mean?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I told you that you were gonna upset her… didn’t I?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} B-But… you want me to restrain from accusing her of being the killer just because it hurts her feelings?

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasping podium} You know that’s not the problem Hayato-kun! 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} If she really was the killer… I could understand… but it’s Oriana-chan we’re talking about… this is clearly ridiculous! 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears flowing on podium} Oriana-chan couldn’t have done something like that… you’re just grasping at straws here…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} So everything I’ve said about her being the only one who could have accessed the hangar and all that… does it not count?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} She does have a point… not only is it fucking impossible for someone like her to be a murderer… you really haven’t proved anything. 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} I haven’t?

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} Your entire theory is based on the possibility that there might be a hidden passage connecting the marinebiology lab and the hangar… if that passage does exist then sure, little ballerina over here does become suspicious…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} But you haven’t proved that at all… have you? All you’ve done is state that the possibility exists!

 

Kenji: {Furious} That’s not enough to accuse her is it? 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} …

 

D-Dammit… he’s right… I don’t think I’ve done enough just yet…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So… are we just accepting that Hayato got it wrong or what?

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasping podium} There’s… there’s no way that he’s right! Oriana-chan can’t be the killer!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Th-Thanks for the support uh… J-Jessie… 

 

Of course it seems impossible that Oriana would kill someone… but I know I’m right with this… I’m not missing much… I just need a way to prove that she’s the blackened… 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} I don’t know what to believe anymore… Hayato usually doesn’t get stuff wrong… does he?

 

Jessie: {Pouting}  Il y a une première fois pour tout! Looks like he got it wrong this time at least! 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Sorry Hayato… but considering who it is that you’re accusing, we can’t proceed with the accusation until you can prove that the secret passage you’re relying on really does exist… 

 

F-Fuck… 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} …



I can’t let her off the hook just because of who she is… the evidence doesn’t lie… and it’s brought me to this conclusion… 

 

By trusting Hikari… and accepting that my logic might not be perfect, this is where I’ve arrived… I need to have faith in my reasoning… that’s the only way forward. 

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} Th-Thank you… everyone f-for believing in me…!

 

If only I could prove that the secret passage exists… if I could do that then they’d finally accept the theory that I’m proposing!

 

If only… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

 Fusume: {Meditating} “If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world”. 

 

Fusume: That was my mentor’s favorite quote. 

 

Hayato: Your mentor…?

 

That’s the first time I hear about them. 

 

Hayato: Isn’t that… quite a sad quote though?

 

Fusume: {Confident} No… the way I see it, this quote is full of hope. Thinking like you’re thinking and looking back with regrets is building an emotional rampart that will stop you from going forward. 

 

Fusume: {Softly} Don’t say if only… be proud of the things you’ve done… they’re the choices which brought you this far. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hnngh… Fusume… she’s right… I can’t be thinking like that…

 

There must be a way to prove it… there must be… 

 

 

Oh my god… of course… of course there is…!

 

Oriana: {Serious expression, hands on hips} Well, are we ready to move on?

 

Hayato: {Determined} Oriana… I won’t let you get away with it! You’re the killer… I know it!

 

Oriana: {Annoyed, bites nail} A-Again with that? I thought you were d-done…

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hayato-kun! What is it now? Are you really that determined to slander Oriana-chan?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Sorry Jessie… this is no slander… it’s the absolute truth!

 

Jessie: {Slams fist on podium}  무의미한 말!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I understand that I won’t convince you until I can prove that the secret passage exists… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} That would indeed be quite compelling…

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Well… I can do just that. 

 

Oriana: {Annoeyed, bites nail} Th-That’s impossible! 

 

Oriana: {Scared, pulling on ribbon} …

 

She’s starting to show signs of weakness… this should be the nail in the coffin!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Can you really prove it Hayato…? Is it possible for you to have some sort of evidence? 

 

Oriana: {Shy look} E-Evidence…? That’s i-impossible! Even if it existed h-how would you have access to it!?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} However you acquired it… I do hope you have evidence to back up your certainty… 

 

Hayato: Evidence…?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I don’t need evidence!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wh-What are you talking about man!?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Are you making fun of us or something? 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} N-No… I’m deadly serious… this matter can be solved without needing evidence. 

 

Oriana: {Annoyed, bites nail} Ridiculous… h-how… would you be able to know something for sure without u-using… evidence… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} But of course… how ingenious… 

 

Seems like Reijiro gets it… 

 

Time to unveil it for the others!

 

Hayato: {Determined} I propose that we use the Ultimate Truth in order to figure out if the secret passageway exists or not!

 

Oriana: {Scared, pulling on ribbon} Ultimate… T-truth?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes… of course! The Ultimate Truth seems like the perfect way to put this matter to bed once and for all! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Aren’t we wasting it on something as trivial as this…? Isn’t it obvious that Oriana’s innocent?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I beg to differ, I believe that this will be an excellent way to answer our current questions… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Think of it this way… if she is as innocent as you claim then the answer will come out negative and we will know that we have lost our way… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Exactly… if I’m wrong with this then we’ll know for sure… and I’ll accept my mistake gladly!

 

There’s no way though… she’s got to be guilty! No doubt about it! 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} If it gets us closer to the truth… then I’m all for it! There won’t be a better time than this!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Is everyone okay with this?

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} Tch… whatever… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’m in… I want to know what happened… this seems to be the easiest way to do so…

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} If everyone’s okay with it… then I’ll go with it! I’m sure you must all be right!

 

Hikari: {Sad} Jessie…?

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears flowing on podium} Ggh… I’ll… I’ll… 

 

Jessie: {Determined, tears rolling down cheeks} I’ll have faith in Oriana-chan! I know the question will come back negative!

 

Jessie: {Extatic} Let’s ask the damn questions! You’ll see how wrong you were!

 

Oriana: {Scared, pulls on ribbon} N-N… N-N… N-No…

 

Judging by the look on Oriana’s face right about now… I have a feeling that Jessie’s going to be disappointed by the answer… 

 

I feel awful about what Jessie’s going to go through… but I can’t back down from the truth when our lives are on the line… 

 

I have to go through with this! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Then it’s decided! We shall use our Ultimate Truth and put the matter to bed! Hayato, if you will!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Oh, I will!

 

Oriana: {Bites knuckles, dark look} S-S-S-Stop this!!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Oriana-chan! 

 

That look on Oriana’s face… it’s like nothing I’ve ever seen on her… that… darkness wasn’t here before,  was it? 

 

I… shouldn’t get distracted! Time to end this!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Kurozo!

 

Kurozo: {Adjusts glasses, opens book} Huh? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} We will use our Ultimate Truth for this trial! The question is : “Was there a secret passage that connected the hangar to the marinebiology lab?”

 

With that… we’ll finally be done… 

 

Oriana: {Bites knuckles, dark look} E-Enough…!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Why… is she acting so agitated?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Quiet, let us listen to the elephant’s answer!

 

Kurozo: {Flips through pages} Hm… I see… mhm… 

 

He’s… definitely taking his time… 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} Hm!

 

Kenji: {Furious} What’s taking so damn long!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Answer the question!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Mhm… before I do… I just have one question for you kids… 

 

A question… for us?

 

{Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy0JuVXTcUw )



Kurozo: {Slight smirk} What’s an Ultimate Truth?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medasl} Wh-Whaaaaaaat!?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Y-You… you mean…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} You can’t be serious… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Kurozo… what are you doing!?

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} What do you mean, what am I doing!? I asked a very simple question!

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} You’re all going on about this “Ultimate Truth” of yours… if you want my assistance then you’ll have to clarify what you’re actually talking about! 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Y-You really don’t know what it is man?

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} Do I look like I’m joking?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Heh, that’s a good one…

 

That’s it… I’m officially going insane!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Kurozo… explain yourself!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You said that you’d followed our previous class trials… that means you must have heard of the Ultimate Truth… Monokuma’s granted us one per trial thus far!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Hm… I see… you must be referring to the times where Monokuma would answer one of your questions in order to help you move forward with the trial… I do recall seeing that. 

 

Hayato: {Angry, pulls on scarve} So you do know what it is!?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} It appears that i do… I simply wasn’t familiar with that name… “Ultimate Truth” huh? How amusing… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} W-Well… now that you know what we’re talking about, answer the question man!

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} You have effectively wasted enough of our time… get to the answers now. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} You want me to answer your question?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Yes! The question is : “Was there a secret passage that connected the hangar to the marinebiology lab?”

 

Kurozo: Hm… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} That's not happening. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Huh? You… you’re not going to answer?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} But of course not… my role is not to help you… you must figure out the truth by yourselves!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} But… Monokuma… he’s the one who-

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} I do not care about my predecessor’s method… this is my class trial and I make the rules. 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} There will be no Ultimate Truth… you will get your answers on your own… you won’t get my help!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} M-Man… this isn’t fair! 

 

Hikari: {Sad} If we don’t get the answer to that question… then we’re basically stuck.

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Life isn’t fair… that’s just the way it is… if you can’t accept that then you won’t ever go anywhere in life! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’re really taking the Ultimate Truth away from us…?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Seems that way doesn’t it? You’ll have to manage without the grownup’s help! I’m sure you’re perfectly capable to suceed!

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Enough from me! I will let you go back to your discussions.

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} And don’t you think about insisting! My mouth is sealed from now on!

 

 

He really… won’t answer my question? But then… how am I supposed to prove her guilt…?

 

Why… why is he doing this?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} … 

 

He helped me figure out the truth with that comment… and now he’s purposefully leaving us in the dark when we’re so close to the truth… 

 

Why can’t I understand his motives…? What in god’s name is he trying to achieve?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} It looks like… we’ve got to find another way… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} This is rather unfortunate as without the Ultimate Truth, it now becomes essentially impossible to prove that the secret passage exists… 

 

No…!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} And without such proof… then I suppose that the accusation against Oriana has to be dropped…

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} Y-You won’t regret having f-faith in me e-e-everyone!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} S-Sorry for causing trouble…

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Don’t worry about it Oriana-chan! You’ve done nothing wrong! 

 

Jessie: { Angry, grasping podium} On the other hand… I think some appologies are in order, Hayato-kun!

 

She’s… back to her timid self… 

 

There’s no way she’s fooling me though… she showed her true colours just a few moments ago… there’s no way she isn’t the blackened…

 

But… I can’t prove her guilt as easily as I hoped anymore… with the Ultimate Truth off the table… I’m going to have to find some other way to prove it to everyone… before they lose all faith in me!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So… are we really dropping everything?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Mmph… without any evidence to back up the theory… it appears best to simply move on to some other line of questioning!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} We have no choice but to accept Oriana’s innocence… there’s nothing left against her

 

N-No… this isn’t good…

 

Jessie: {Extatic} Well done Oriana-chan! Looks like you’re completely off the hook!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Th-That’s good… b-but… if I may… I’d l-like to say s-something… 

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} Of course! The floor is yours!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} I understand th-that the suspicions against me h-have been dropped s-s-since Hayato c-couldn’t prove it… 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} But… that’s… just n-not good enough!

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, bends forward} What are you talking about?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I st-still c-cannot understand wh-why Hayato would… a-accuse me… but I won’t accept that I’m cl-cleared just b-because he wasn’t good enough!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} O-Okay… 

 

Oriana: {Serious expression, hands on hips} I would like to prove to all of you… that me being the culprit is a-absolutely impossible!

 

Jessie: {Sad} B-but… Oriana-chan! That’s not necessary, nobody believes that you’re the killer!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} That doesn’t matter… I w-w-would like to do this… just to prove that uh… I’m fully capable of defending myself…!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Is that… really a good use of our finite time in the courtroom?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mhm… 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} …

 

Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I am… all for it! Let the girl explain herself!

 

Fusume: Are you sure… Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Of course… I believe that hearing her out will be beneficial for our case as a whole… 

 

Reijiro… is he… trying to help me?

 

That look he just gave me… it means he understands right?

 

Oriana’s behaviour isn’t normal, there’s no reason for her to want to defend herself after my accusation has been countered… unless, of course… 

 

Yes… an innocent person wouldn’t act like this… she wants it to become impossible for her to be accused… just in case the evidence points at her later on in the trial!

 

This… is clearly a guilty person speaking! No doubt about it!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I’ll listen to Oriana’s defense… if she manages to prove her innocence, then I’ll believe her… and appologise for my accusations!

 

Jessie: You better… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} *Sigh* … I guess we’ll hear her out then… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Yes… let us do so… 

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} Thank y-you everyone… I w-won’t let you down… 

 

Oriana: {Serious expression, hands on hips} Here’s why I can’t be the killer…

 

She’s being too cautious… she wants it to be impossible for me to accuse her again… 

 

This might be the opportunity I needed to prove her guilt… 

 

I have to find an inconsistence in her defense… anything will do!

 

Now more than ever… there’s no room for failure… 

 

I’ll prove her guilt… I have no other choice!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t

 

{Truth Bullets : Unusual blood splatter, The File, Oriana’s account, Broken Trident,  Raiko’s masterkey}

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I c-can uh… d-do this!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Come on Oriana-chan! Don’t get intimidated! I have faith in you!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} I can understand wh-why Hayato accused me… I gu-guess he wasn’t just being mean… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Mhm… I do believe his logic was sound… 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} But I’m no killer… not only d-does that secret passage n-not exist…  

 

Oriana: {Serious expression, hands on hips} But it’s also completely impossible for me to be the killer! 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Impossible…? May I ask why?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} Th-Think back to h-how Raiko was k-killed… her wounds were v-very deep right? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes both Kurozo’s file and my expertise of the body did show that she was almost impaled with that trident. 

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} W-Well there you have it… isn’t it… self explanatory?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’m not sure that I get what you mean…

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} Even if I had a way to get to the submarine… which I didn’t

 

Oriana: {Serious expression, hands on hips} Do y-you really think I could have stabbed Raiko like that? 

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I c-could never have overpowered her… let alone inflict that sort of wound on her! 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Y-Yes… that makes sense… I can’t imagine Oriana doing any of those things… 

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} The bitch… was powerful alright… it would have been hard for anybody to beat her in a fight… 

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} M-My point exactly…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… if I understand it correctly, what you are saying is this:

 

Reijiro: Unless there was an alternate murder method than simply overpowering the victim… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Then you physically cannot be the culprit!

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Y-Yes… that’s exactly right!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I see… I shall keep that in mind… 

 

 

As expected… she’s using her frail image to make it seem like she couldn’t possibly be the killer… 

 

I don’t buy it… I think Reijiro’s giving me an opening with his intervention… I should think things through and find a way to prove that Oriana could have killed Raiko!

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Unusual Blood splatter → alternate murder method

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Reijiro} YEAH, YOU’RE RIGHT!



{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34 )



Hayato: {Determined} Reijiro’s right, Oriana’s defense doesn’t hold if you consider the fact that we might not have determined the correct murder method just yet!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} The correct… murder method? 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Isn’t that shit… kinda obvious? 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} The killer just took the damn weapon and stabbed her with it! 

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} How else do you think this could have gone?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It is true… there are only so many ways that one could stab someone with a trident… and yet…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} If an alternate method existed, then it would cancel the physical factor… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} You mean… if Raiko wasn’t directly stabbed by the killer?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Is that even possible?

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} N-No… that seems impossible… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Actually… I think that you’re wrong Oriana… there’s a piece of evidence that leads me to believe that a more complex murder method might be at play here!

 

Oriana: {Trembles} What… a-a-are you talking about?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Take a look at this picture of the crime scene… 

 

{Picture of the submarine’s control room is displayed on screen, the bloodstain on the ceiling is highlighted}

 

Hayato: As you can see… a fair amount of Raiko’s blood made its way to the submarine’s ceiling… doesn’t that seem odd to you Oriana? 

 

Shinto: Mhm… I remember thinking that this blood splatter was weird… it does seem unnatural right?

 

Oriana: Nng…

 

Jessie H-Hey… if Raiko-chan was stabbed with sufficient force, couldn’t the blood simply have been splattered on the ceiling? That sort of stuff can definitely happen!

 

{Submarine’s walls are now highlighted, they are spotless} 

 

Reijiro: Mmph… no, that does not work. If the blood had gotten there because of the force of the stabbing… then blood should also have gotten on the submarine’s walls. 

 

Reijiro: This is… very peculiar indeed… 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notepad} Well… how can you explain it then? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I think it’s fair to say that if Raiko was simply stabbed with the trident this blood stain would not make any sense… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} So then… what’s the explanation? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Considering the fact that blood didn’t actually get on the walls… the answer should be quite obvious… 

 

Even though I can’t make much sense of it just yet…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Then please… tell us what that answer is!

 

{2D diagram of the crime scene, red stains representing blood are seen on both the floor and the ceiling directly above the body} 

 

The blood was found both under and above Raiko’s body… but nowhere else. 

 

The blood must have gone from the floor to the ceiling… or vice-versa, that’s the only thing that makes sense… 

 

So… the way for the blood to have gotten from one place to the other… it must be:



{Centrifugal force/Gravity/Pressure}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Gravity.

 

===

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 )

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Mhm… considering both places where the blood was found… it must have travelled in a straight line vertically… I believe gravity’s to blame for that. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} In a straight line… vertically?

 

{Diagram is back on screen}

 

Hayato: The bloodstains on both the ceiling and the floor are exactly one on top of the other… it seems logical to assume that blood dripped from one bloodstain to the other… right?

 

Hikari: Hmm… that does make sense!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… I see… so that would explain why the walls were not covered in blood… 

 

Reijiro: Blood didn’t gush out onto the ceiling but rather it dropped naturally-

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} W-Wait a second! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… there’s clearly something wrong with what you’re saying! 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} There is…?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} You say that blood fell dripped down due to gravity right?

 

{Diagram is back} 

 

Shinto: But… Raiko was stabbed and she bled out on the floor… which means that the blood must have been on the floor originally!

 

Shinto: And then you’re saying that the blood dripped… up?

 

{Blood can be seen floating up and reaching the ceiling} 

 

Shinto: That’s clearly impossible!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Right… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} According to your current theory… blood got to the ceiling by dripping from the floor… but unless the fluid magically trickled upwards… then that makes no sense at all!

 

Hayato: A-Ah!

 

Fusume: {Confident} We’ve reached a logical impass of sorts… Hayato’s gravity theory seems to explain how the blood got onto the ceiling without touching the walls… and yet there’s still a problem!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} It would make sense to imagine that blood dripped down from the ceiling to the floor… but the opposite simply disobeys the laws of physics!

 

That’s a pretty big problem… but there must be a solution to it somewhere right? 

 

Could Raiko’s blood really have gone from the floor to the ceiling? That’s definitely not how gravity works… then… how?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Liquids can’t be floating like that… we ain’t in space… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Blood went from… floor to ceiling? That’s completely impossible to me… 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} H-Hey… maybe the submarine was simply upside down when Raiko was killed…?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Upside down…? And how would that work exactly?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} H-Hey don’t ask me! I’m j-just trying to be helpful. 

 

Upside down huh? Is that possible?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I can’t imagine how the submarine could have been put upside down… but it would definitely solve our gravity issue… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} If the floor was above the ceiling… then blood would indeed drop naturally from one to the other!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato! That changes nothing!

 

Fusume: {Confident} If the submarine was upside down… Raiko couldn’t just be levitating towards the floor could she? She’d just be on whatever’s at the bottom of the submarine… in that case the ceiling!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The problem stays the same!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} R-Right… let me think this through okay?

 

Oriana: {Close-up}  S-S-STOP IT NOW!

 

{Split-screen between Oriana and Hayato} 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} …

 

Oriana: {Annoyed, bites nail} All this pointless dilly-dallying… that’s s-supposed to counter my defense?

 

Oriana: {Serious expression, hands on hips} A-All you’ve done is make yourself look like a bigger fool than before!

 

Ouch…

 

Oriana: {Shy look} Y-You say that an alternate m-murder m-method was used huh? Th-Then let’s see you prove that!

 

Oriana: {Annoyed, bites nail} I’m done with you wasting t-time with these idiotic theories… l-let me bring you back to r-reality here!

 

Jessie: {Sad} O-Oriana-chan… what’s gotten into you?

 

Oriana: {Cute smile} Hehe… I want to prove my innocence… once and for all, that’s it!

 

She wants to challenge me directly huh?

 

This Oriana… isn’t the one I know… 

 

I have no idea who I’m facing, that means that I should remain cautious for now… let’s see what she can come up with… 

 

===

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4w_7v_BHM )



{Truth Blades: Broken trident, Inside out umbrella, Brown Tape}

 

Oriana: 

 

An upside down s-sub? That’s ridiculous!

 

Your whole theory… m-m-makes no sense at all!

 

You really want us to believe that the blood got on the ceiling naturally? 

 

It certainly c-couldn’t have dripped down how you’re claiming it did!

 

S-So… what now?

 

ADVANCE



Hayato: I’m not sure exactly how the blood got on the ceiling… but it simply couldn’t have gotten there if the culprit stabbed Raiko using their bare hands!

 

Oriana: 

 

Th-Then what!? You h-have some other crazy theory to share w-with us?

 

I’m sure you d-do! Y-Your imagination is so vivid after al!

 

Maybe the sub r-really was upside down … somehow!

 

Or, I could do you one better!

 

Perhaps, R-Raiko was walking on the ceiling!

 

Maybe she had that power the whole time and sh-she never told us!

 

Who knows, maybe the stabbing really h-happened on the ceiling!

 

Either the blackened or Raiko managed to w-walk upside down! That’s it right?

 

Can you see? Finally…?

 

How stupid your theories r-really sound!

 

===

 

She can mock me all she wants… I think I might be onto something here… 

 

Her pseudo-theories… at least one of them might not be as ridiculous as she wants us to believe they are…

 

In fact… I believe that solving that issue might be the key to solving this entire mystery…

 

I think it’s time to use that trump card once again… 



 

 




SOLUTION : Brown Tape → maybe the stabbing really h-happened on the ceiling!



===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You know what…? I think you’re right Oriana… Raiko really was stabbed directly on the ceiling!

 

Oriana: {Annoyed, bites nail} Wh-What…? But… I was mocking you… I wasn’t serious…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I know you weren’t serious… but I think you’ve hit the nail on the head… unintentionnally!

 

Oriana: {Scared, pulling on ribbon} What are y-y-you suggesting?

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Hayato… are you being serious right now? Do you really think the stabbing could have happend on the ceiling?

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} I… I kn-knew it! So the submarine really was upside down! That’s the only way for Raiko and the killer to have been walking on the ceiling!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Either that or they both had to use very sticky boots…  

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Y-Yeah… those two are very valid theories… but that’s not exactly what I was thinking about…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Then please… tell us what’s on your mind.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Of course… it’s time I brought this particular piece of evidence to your attention!

 

{Close-up on the piece of brown tape} 

 

Reijiro: Mmph… I see…

 

Fusume: Hayato… what is this?

 

Shinto: It’s tape right?

 

Hayato: Correct, this piece of tape was found lying next to Raiko’s body… most of its adhesive quality is gone which means it was stuck to something before being unstuck from that same thing!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} It’s definitely the first time I hear of this… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Same here… where are you going with this Hayato?

 

Hayato: Sorry for not bringing this up earlier… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: This is the exact same type of tape as a roll I found in the storage room some days ago… it is advertised as extra strong tape.

 

Hayato: But then… what is that piece of tape doing here just resting on Raiko’s back…? It’s not stuck to anything is it?

 

Reijiro: No, you are correct… the tape is not adhered to any surface for the time being…

 

Reijiro: But it should be noted that it’s adhesive surface seems to have lost in its quality.

 

Hayato: And… that means what?

 

Reijiro: It is not as sticky as it should be… which leads me to think it was indeed stuck onto something and has been detached from that surface since then.

 

So… the tape was stuck to something and then it was detached from that…

 

The fact that we found it laying on Raiko’s back means it must be related to the case in some way…

 

I just don’t know how.

 

Still… if this piece of tape was used by the killer in their plan somehow, it feels like very compromising evidence, so why leave it here!?

 

Maybe… the killer hasn’t realised that they forgot it… that might explain why it’s still here.

 

This feels important… I think I’ll keep it as a trump card of sorts!

 

Hayato: Hey, Reijiro… can you keep quiet about that piece of tape for the time being please?

 

Reijiro: Mmph… I wonder what it is you have in mind… but sure, I shall follow your lead.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

I think that I finally understand what happened here… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… do you think that this piece of tape… could lead us to figuring out the true murder method?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Yes, I believe that this piece of tape is the key to understanding everything that happened…

 

Hayato: {Determined} And in that, it will be the final nail in your coffin Oriana!

 

Oriana: {Scared, pulls on ribbon} All that… with a piece of tape?

 

Oriana: Y-You’re… certainly ambitious… 

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, bends forwar} Please… enlighten us, Hayato… how is this piece of tape so crucial?

 

Hikari: {Finger on lip, thoughtful expression} Was it used… in the culprit’s plan?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} That’s it… in fact, this piece of tape is what allowed the killer to create such a perfect locked room scenario inside the submarine!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} The tape… contributed in creating the locked room?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} How exactly… is that the case?  

 

It all comes down to this… I’ll finally show everyone how this murder was committed… 

 

The key to solving the locked room mystery is understanding all the different types of locked room mysteries…

 

According to a famous crime novel author… there are seven, but I’ll focus on the four principal ones!

 

Number 1 : The locked room is created after the crime was committed

 

Number 2 : The locked room already exists before the crime was committed

 

Number 3 : The killer stays in the room until it is opened up!

 

Number 4 : The locked room wasn’t a locked room at all… 

 

We suspected it was number 4 because of the submarine’s simulation… but what if we got that wrong…? 

 

The true nature of the crime scene… what if… it was this?

 

{Number 1/Number 2/Number 3}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Number 2 

 

===

 

Yes… that’s what I’ve been suspecting for some time now… 

 

Locked room scenario number 2… a locked room which already existed before the crime was committed… I think that’s the only plausible option here!

 

Hayato: {Determined} This piece of tape… it enabled the killer to commit their crime… without ever entering in the submarine!

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU )

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Without entering… the submarine?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Th-That’s Löjlig!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m… l-lost again man!

 

Oriana: {Scared, pulls on ribbon} Nghngh…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Is that really possible Hayato? Could the murder have been remotely committed? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yes, once we understand the trick that the culprit used… then I believe it does become possible!

 

Hayato: {Determined} In fact, it becomes the easier way for the killer to strike without ever having to fight Raiko… nor having to escape the submarine with great difficulty!

 

Oriana: {Whips podium with ribbon, angry} That’s… impossible!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I’m afraid that it’s not… in fact, I’ll explain to you exactly how it was done!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hayato-kun… you must be joking! You’re really claiming that the blackened stabbed Raiko from outside of the submarine!?

 

Jessie: {Sad} That makes no sense!

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} It might seem impossible… but that piece of tape actually shows us the culprit’s true trick… an ingenious one at that. 

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} Then… quick! Tell us what that trick was! 

 

The killer stabbed Raiko without ever entering the ship… that’s where my logic has lead me… 

 

I need to prove it to everyone… that it really wasn’t impossible!

 

All the culprit had to do was to use the tape to stick a certain something onto a certain surface… 

 

I need to show them what those were… and they’ll all understand where I’m going with this!

 

Time to search your brain for the perfect answer Hayato… no chance I’m giving up now!

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csp8A4G7y-c )

 

Question: How did the killer stab Raiko from outisde of the submarine?

 

-----

 

G N I I D E R E N O N L T T I C 

 

===

 

… 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : T R I D E N T  O N  C E I L I N G

 

===

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU )

 

Yes… that’s it!

 

Hayato: {Determined} The killer plan… it involved sticking the trident to the submarine ceiling!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wh-What!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You… you’re crazy! 

 

Oriana: {Scared, pulls on ribbon} Nnngh…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Is that even doable?

 

{Black and white frame of the trident stuck to the ceiling bars right above Raiko’s head}

 

Hayato: Yes it was! There was two big metal bars above the control table! The killer could have used the tape to attach the trident to those bars!

 

Hayato: The brown tape was definitely strong enough to hold that trident in place… they never even had to enter the ship! 

 

Hayato: Once that trident was attched to the ceiling… their plan was in place!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} This is… ridiculous…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I still can’t believe that somebody could do that!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} It’s actually not that complicated… the ceiling’s quite high in the control room… but by standing on the control table, anybody could have managed to do it… even someone as short as Oriana!

 

Oriana: {Scared, pulls on ribbon} …

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} H-Hold on! If the trident was really attached to the ceiling… wouldn’t Raiko-chan simply have seen it? 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} There’s no way someone as smart as her would miss that!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Actually there was a way!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} N-Nyaah!

 

{Flashback} 

 

*Drip*

 

Huh…?

 

*Drip* *Drip*

 

Something’s dripping… from the ceiling?

 

Hayato: Reijiro, did you hear that?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} It seems to be coming from up there but… is that…?

 

*Drip*

 

A red… liquid…

 

Wait… don’t tell me that’s-

 

Hayato: AHHHHHH!!!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What happened!? Why are you screaming?

 

Hayato: There’s… blood dripping from up there!

 

I thought it was water… that’s why I didn’t mind it dripping next to me but this… what the fuck is going on!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} What are you saying!? Why would there be blood falling from the ceiling!? That makes no sense!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And yet… I believe he may be right!

 

Terrified… I looked up and saw…

 

{Camera shifts to see the submarine’s ceiling, however with the way the room has been lit and because of the ceiling’s cylindrical shape, nothing can be seen}

 

Hayato: Why… why is it so dark up there?

 

Fusume: The only source of light in the control room comes from the back of the room… I believe this room’s structure is what makes the ceiling this dark.

 

Reijiro: We must find a way to enlighten the ceiling… if blood is dripping from up there then we have to see where its coming from!

 

Fusume: Our electro IDs have a flashlight function! Let me just get it out and then we might be able to see more clearly!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I guess you could say that the ship was poorly designed… the control center is badly lighted… which means that from the control table you actually can’t see anything that’s above your head!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} N-No way!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} He’s right… that is indeed the truth… 

 

Hayato: I believe that this is why the trident was broken… using the full trident would have been conspicious… but by only sticking the sharp part of the trident to the ceiling… it became almost impossible to see it in the darkness!

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasping podium} I can’t believe this…!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} So… it appears that it really could have been attached to those ceiling bars… but then what? 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Then we get to the final aspect of the killer’s plan! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The final aspect… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} First the killer attached the trident to the ceiling bars… and then… they used this to kill Raiko! 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Damaged Clamp

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} The clamp…?

 

{Black and white frame of Raiko standing right under the trident} 

 

Hayato: The killer had access to the submarine’s secret… they knew that the whole time we thought we were navigating we were actually stationary a few feet above water level…

 

Hayato: The killer… they used that in their plan!

 

Shinto: They did?

 

Hayato: Oriana… you used that secret passage to get to the hangar didn’t you?

 

Oriana: Hngh… 

 

Hayato: You’d set up the trident right above the control table… you knew that Raiko would be standing there once she entered the submarine… 

 

Hayato: And so… all you had to do now was… to break the clamp!

 

Kenji: Break… the clamp?

 

Hayato: That clamp was the only thing holding the submarine… once it was broken… well, the ship wasn’t held by anything anymore…

 

Fusume: That means… 

 

{Black and white frame of the submarine falling towards the water} 

 

Hayato: Without anything to support it, the ship would free fall down to the water!

 

Kôzuke: But… why?

 

Hayato: Because that’s how Raiko was killed!

 

{Black and white frame of Raiko being propelled towards the ceiling}

 

Hayato: The ship was much heavier than Raiko… obviously… which mean it fell much faster than she did!

 

Reijiro: You mean that…

 

Hayato: Of course I do!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} When the clamp was broken, the submarine fell towards the water and Raiko was launched at the ceiling… and therefore right onto the trident’s prongs!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Th-That’s how she was stabbed?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The speed of the submarine falling… the strength of the impact… the trident would easily have impaled her if it was done right!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} This method… would also explain the blood stains on the ceiling… as the victim really would have gotten stabbed up there…

 

Hayato: The killer never had to enter the submarine… by using this method, they would create a perfect locked room scenario by never actually entering the ship! 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The plan was carefully crafted… but once everything was in place, it was unmissable… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} By breaking the clamp, the killer sent Raiko down to her death… that’s how she was stabbed!

 

Hayato: The only person who could have done this… is the only person who could have entered the hangar thanks to the aforementioned secret passage…

 

Hayato: {Pointing finger} That person is you… Oriana Akiba, the Ultimate Ballet Dancer!

 

Oriana: {Scared, pulls on ribbon} Hnngh… nngh… nng…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Oriana… you have something to say against that… right?

 

Oriana: {Trembles} I… I… n-no… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Hayato’s explanation has cleared all the issues we had so far… I think I’m ready to believe his theory!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So… Oriana did this man? Really?

 

Oriana: {Cries} No… n-n-n-n-n-n-n-nooo…

 

I’ve backed her against a corner now… I’ve revealed her entire plan… how is she going to defend herself now-

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )



Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} That’s… enough!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Jessie…?

 

Jessie: You’ve always led us to the right places Hayato-kun… that’s why I was willing to hear you out… 

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasping podium} Everybody makes mistakes… it’s natural to believe you could have gotten an accusation wrong… 

 

Jessie: {Looking down} But you kept going and going and going and going and going and going at Oriana-chan… without ever stopping… 

 

Hayato: Jessie… wait. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} No you listen to me! I won’t let you continue! 

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasping podium} You’ve clearly gone off the rails… and I tried to help you get back on track… but it’s too late now… there’s only one thing I can do now!

 

 

Jessie: {Determined, tears rolling down cheeks} I’ll make you regret going after Oriana-chan!

Notes:

Oh boy… looks like Jessie's had enough…

Next chapter will be the Chapter 4 finale as well as the execution!

We're reaching the endgame of DR: AD and I'm very excited to share with everyone what I've got in store with this fic!

Thanks for sticking with me all this time and see you in the next one!

Chapter 52: Chapter 4 : 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea : Class Trial part 5

Notes:

Here's the Chapter 4 Finale, a few days ahead of schedule.

A word of warning, the execution is quite brutal this time around so reader's discretion is advised.

Other than that, I hope you enjoy this chapter!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Jessie… what are you saying exactly…?

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} Y-You’re crazy Hayato-kun… that fact that you seriously think that Oriana-chan did this… what’s wrong with you?

 

Hayato: But… hasn’t my explanation been sound up to this point? I’m not sure what you’re refuting exactly…

 

Jessie: {Slams fist on podium} I’m refuting the fact that you’re whole argument is based on an impossible premise! Oriana-chan cannot be a killer… ever!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Surely you wouldn’t rule out my theory just because of her personnality!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Of course I would! Someone like Oriana-chan is absolutely incapable of committing a murder… especially one as cruel as the one you’re describing! 

 

Oriana: {Crying} …

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Just look at her please… can’t you see that you’re scaring her…?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} She does look… frightened… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Sadly… the emotional impact that this accusation may have on her is not a factor in our decision…

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} Then… at least take into account that Oriana-chan could never have killed someone… I’m sure of it!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… it is suprising that a person such as her would commit such a heinous crime… but this is where the evidence has brought us… 

 

Oriana: {Crying} P-P-Please h-help me… 

 

Jessie: {Slams fist on podium} J-Just look at her face!

 

Oriana seems to have gone back to her frightened persona huh…? She must have realised that this is the only way that she might change the course of the trial… 

 

I won’t let that work… she’s shown her true colours once before… I won’t let her escape like that!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I’m sorry Jessie… as much as it pains me to even start to imagine that Oriana could be the killer… you’re going to need more than to convince us…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Right now… everything’s pointing at her!

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Absolutnie niedorzeczne... jak oni mogą nie zrozumieć, jak niemożliwe jest to wszystko...? Ona nigdy by nikogo nie zabiła... to oskarżenie nie ma żadnego sensu! 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I think we’ve lost her man… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Is there really no evidence that could prove Oriana’s innocence?

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} This is absolutely ridiculous… but fine, you asked for it!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Jessie?

 

Jessie: {Wiping tears} Since none of you understand how ludicrous this is… I’ll have to find some way to prove it to you!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Prove it to us?

 

Jessie: I… I don’t know how… but there must be some way to prove it! I won’t accept this… 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Oriana-chan isn’t the killer… I’m 100% sure of that… which means there must be some piece of evidence that will prove that!

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} It means that if I follow my heart… I’ll find something!

 

Jessie… looks like she won’t give up without a fight… 

 

I… can’t blame her… what she said just now, it’s exactly what I was telling myself a few moments ago when Hikari was in the hot seat…

 

This won’t be easy… but I have no choice but to tear down her argument and prove that Oriana’s the blackened… once and for all!



===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckx2nvp8L3g&t )

 

{Truth Bullets : Broken Trident, Depth of Wounds, The File, Damaged Clamp, Piece of Brown Tape}

 

Jessie: {Sad} I… may not have any piece of evidence in mind right now… 

 

Jessie: {Determined, tears rolling down cheeks} But Oriana-chan’s definitely innocent!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I can’t picture her doing everything that Hayato told us… 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, points with finger} But we’re going to need more proof than that if we are to let Oriana go…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Indeed… emotional connections are not sufficient to disprove such an accusation! 

 

Oriana. {Cries} … 

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} This isn’t about emotional connections at all… it’s about Oriana-chan being incapable of murder!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Not only that but Hayato-kun’s theory is very far-fetched… 

 

Jessie: {Determined, tears rolling down cheeks} There’s nothing to support that the killer dropped the submarine like he says… 

 

Hikari: {Holds chin} Doesn’t it seem possible though? It would mean that the killer never even had to enter the submarine… that would solve many of our issues!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But… what about those signs of struggle that Fusume talked about?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hm… I think it’s fair to say that the submarine freefalling like it did would create the mess we found… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} What we thought were signs of struggle… 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} All I know… is that this accusation is ridiculous… Oriana-chan can’t be the killer … I just know it! 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Please… just think things through one more time… 

 

 

Could Oriana really be innocent…? After everything that’s happened so far… that seems very unlikely.

 

I should review the evidence one more time… surely, I’ll find an answer there!

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Depth of Wounds → nothing to support that the killer dropped the submarine

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 )

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Actually Jessie… that’s not true! There is proof that supports my theory!

 

Jessie: {Sad} N-No…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Just think back to how deep the wounds on Raiko’s back where… 

 

{Crime scene photo is shown on screen} 



Hayato: We assumed that these meant that Raiko was stabbed with great strength… 

 

Hayato: And now that we know that Kenji is out of the picture… it seems almost impossible for any of us to have been strong enough to impale her to such an extent… 

 

Hayato: Moreover… this would also get rid of the problem we had earlier about Raiko being able to overpower basically any one of us… 

 

Hayato: That issue ceases to exist once we take into account the fact that there was no struggle at all… and therefore no need to overpower her at all!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} It might seem far-fetched at first… but the circumstances of this crime all point to my theory being correct!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s… true…

 

Jessie: {Sad} Th-This… still proves nothing! All your evidence does is suggest that it might have been possible!

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} Y-You’ll need more than that to convince me!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Well, good news… I’ve got more evidence!

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} …

 

Jessie: {Scared} N-No way…

 

If I think of exactly how Raiko was killed… then it explains yet another piece of the puzzle that I had yet to understand…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The depth of the wounds isn’t the only piece of evidence that corroborates my theory… there’s also this!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Inside out Umbrella

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}



Hayato: {Holds chin} This theory also explains Why Raiko’s umbrella was found broken in this particular way…

 

{Picture of the umbrella is shown on screen} 

 

Hayato: It troubled me… I just couldn’t figure out how the umbrella ended up insided out like that… but actually it makes tons of sense if you think about how she really died!

 

{Black and white frame of Raiko being propelled towards the ceiling}

 

Hayato: Raiko was still holding her umbrella… right until the moment the submarine was dropped… that means that when she went flying towards the ceiling, the umbrella hit it at full speed while it was open… that’s why we found it reversed like that!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hm… again, that does seem to make a lot of sense… 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} N-No… it doesn’t…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} It appears that most of our unresolved problems are dealt with once we think of it this way… this… extravagant theory is seeiming more and more plausible…

 

Jessie: But… but… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Despite not being able to prove the theory beyond the shadow of a doubt… if it fits this perfectly with everything we know… then it must be the best shot we have doesn’t it? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Everything’s falling into place now that we’ve uncovered the true killing method…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The killer used the submarine’s secret to kill Raiko without ever entering the ship… creating a seemingly impossible locked room in the process.

 

Hayato: They would have full knowledge of where Raiko was standing considering the dimensions of the control room… once the trident was in place, their plan simply could not fail… 

 

Hayato: Everything makes sense now… all the evidence fitting perfectly with this version of events can’t be a coincidence…

 

Hayato: {Determined} And that means you’re going to need actual evidence to counter my arguments! 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} …

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So… does that mean we’re done?

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} This is… nngh…

 

Hikari: {Sad} Even Kenji’s rendered speechless… 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} …

 

Oriana’s… still not saying anything… why?

 

Is she not going to accept it…?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Without any alternative theories… nor any significant evidence left… I suppose that this is the closest that we will get to the truth in these circumstances

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Perhaps… we should take a vote-

 

{Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50yShkEarT4 )

 

Jessie: {Clenches fist, desperate expression} NO!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} J-Jessie…?

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} This… this isn’t over! You haven’t proved Oriana-chan’s guilt in the slightest!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Is… that so?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Isn’t that… sort of what I’ve been doing up to now? 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} NO!

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} P-Please… stop shouting…

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} You’ve presented evidence to support the fact that the submarine falling really was what killed Raiko-chan… 

 

Jessie: {Determined, tearing rolling down cheeks} But you have shown us nothing that proves Oriana-chan’s guilt!

 

Oriana: {Scared, pulls on ribbon} …

 

Jessie: {Clenches fist, desperate expression} She’s innocent! And I won’t let you vote for the wrong person!

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Hm… and what about the secret passage… nobody other than Oriana could have used it!

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} What secret passage!? All you’ve done is suggest its existence!

 

Jessie: {Clenches fist, desperate expression} WHERE’S THE PROOF!!?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} My p-poor eardrums…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} As I said… without such a hidden passage… there was no way for the killer to escape!

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} That still proves nothing! And even if a passage like that existed… nothing proves that Oriana-chan’s the one who used it!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} But if that’s the case Jessie… do you have any other suggestions on how the killer escaped?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Huh?

 

Fusume: {Confident} You say that Hayato’s got it wrong… fair enough, but then… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} How exactly did the killer leave the hangar if it wasn’t through that hidden door!

 

Jessie: {Scared} I… I… I d-d-don’t know!

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} Maybe there was a passage… but it just led to some different room… what tells you that it connected the hangar with the marinebiology lab huh?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Well… Kurozo clearly indicated that “a locked door always lead to another locked door”. I can’t think of any other door that fits this description…

 

Jessie: And what if he’s trying to trick us huh? Why should we believe what that guy says!? I bet he’s lying… he’s trying to get us to vote for the wrong person!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… would he really do that though?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} There’s nothing to support that he lied to us… is there?

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} You all… you don’t get it at all! 

 

Jessie: {Sad} This is… all ridiculous…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I’m sorry Jessie… 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I know this is hard because you trusted her… but without any other counter arguments, I’m afraid that we have to accept this as the truth!

 

Jessie: {Determined, tears rolling down cheeks} NO! THIS ISN’T OVER!

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} M-M-More proof huh? You want a c-counterargument…? I’ll… find something… I h-h-have to…

 

Jessie: {Clenches fist, desperate expression} I can’t let Oriana-chan die!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Jessie…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} …

 

Shinto: {Sad, points at cast} …

 

Jessie: {Determined, tears rolling down cheeks} This isn’t over yet Hayato-kun… I… won’t accept this ending… I’ll… save her… and save everyone… 

 

Jessie: I won’t let you make the wrong choice!

 

Oriana: {Annoyed, bites nail} …

 

 

Oriana’s as guilty as can be… and while Jessie’s giving her all to protect her… it seems like she isn’t affected whatsoever… like she doesn’t care about our accusations… 

 

Jessie’s falling deeper and deeper… and she won’t stop until I show her definite proof… 

 

I understand how hard this is for her… but this isn’t right… the more this goes the more she’s going to hurt herself… for someone who clearly isn’t appreciating her efforts… 

 

I… I’m not sure what happened to Oriana… but I know that she did this… and I’ll have to prove it to Jessie for this hell to finally end… 

 

Jessie: {Clenches fist, desperate expression} P-Please listen to me…! I’ll… I’ll f-find a way to save her! I swear that I will!

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} I… I won’t let this happen!

 

It’s me versus Jessie… defeating her logic one final time is the only way forward…

 

This… won’t be easy… 

 

I’m sorry Jessie… but there’s no way I’m backing down now! 

 

PANIC TALK ACTION

 

BEGIN

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSdokoS408s) 

 

Jessie: {Sad} You got it wrong Hayato-kun… there’s no way around it!

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} Oriana-chan… is innocent and that’s that!

 

Jessie: {Wiping tears} Y-You… you want evidence right…? I’ll… uh… I’ll find something! S-Something must be wrong… somewhere… 

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} Wh-What about the clamp’s positioning! You haven’t explained that! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} The clamp was in the air… a good two meters away from dock… it’s impossible for Oriana-Cham to have reached it!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Even If she jumped… after dropping the submarine she would be hanging in mid air all that way from the dock… it would be even more impossible to get back!

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} Not only Oriana-chan… in fact… your theory contains a huge hole!

 

Jessie: {Clenches fist, desperate expression} Nobody could have reached the clamp to drop the submarine… which means you must be wrong! Oriana-chan must be innocent!

 

FINAL STRIKE

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Y-You have no proof to counter that… do you?

 

Ballet

 

Abseiling                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Ribbon 

 

With

 

===

 

 

 

 

Solution : Abseiling with Ballet Ribbon

 

=== 

 

Hayato: {Closeup on face} IT’S OVER FOR YOU

 

… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 )

 

Hayato: I’m sorry Jessie… but what you’re saying just doesn’t stand… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} N-No… please…

 

I… I h-have to do this… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Your point’s interesting… it does seem very complicated for someone to actually reach the clamp from the dock… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} You’d 100% need to get to that clamp to commit murder the way you’ve suggested huh?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes… this matter must be adressed before we conclude the trial… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Isn’t it… impossible for anyone to jump such a distance?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} It would be under normal circumstances… but what if I told you that there is actually one person who could have done that…?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You can’t be serious man…!

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s right! Oriana’s the only one who could have travelled to the clamp and back!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Is that so…? How exactly do you propose she did that?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Are you familiar with the concept of abseiling?

 

Reijiro: {Opens book} Mmph… also known as rapelling is the action of  descending  a vertical surface by holding on to a  rope fixed at a higher point.

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Yes… thank you Reijiro that was a very comprehensive definition…

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} Alright! We all know what abseiling is… what does this have to do with our case though!?

 

{2D Diagram of the hangar, the distance between the clamp and the dock is highlighted}

 

Hayato: The killer could have used abseiling to get from the clamp back to the dock!

 

Hayato: By tying a rope like object to something on the dock… they could simply jump from the clamp to the dock while holding on to that rope…

 

Hayato: This is where the method differs from actual abseiling… instead of using the rope to descend the vertical surface… they used it to climb back up on the dock!

 

{Red circle labelled K can be seen jumping from the clamp to an area under the dock and then climbing back up using the rope}

 

Hayato: This method would require a decent amount of core strength… but I believe that this was the easiest way for the killer to cover this distance!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Is that really possible man?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Yeah… I think that something like that would work… 

 

Jessie: {Clenches fist, desperate expression} WHAT ROPE!? You’re just making stuff now Hayato-kun! There was no rope at all at the crime scene!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} There isn’t… but nobody said that the killer was using rope! 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} You said… a rope-like object… right?

 

Shinto: And what could that object be?

 

Hayato: It’s… {Determined} Oriana’s ballet ribbon!

 

Oriana: {Scared, pulls on ribbon} …

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That pink… ribbon?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Correct… it definitely seems strong enough to carry Oriana’s weight… I believe that this is what she used!

 

Jessie: N-No…

 

Hayato: {Determined} You said it yourself Jessie… there was no rope at the crime scene! Which means the killer had to use something else!

 

Hayato: The only person here who has a rope-like object on their person is Oriana! 

 

Hayato: {Pointing finger} She’s the killer!

 

Jessie: {Clenches fist, desperate expression} That’s a lie! O-Oriana-chan would never have enough strength to pull off something like that!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I beg to differ… ballet dancers are known for their core strength… despite her small stature, I would argue that her abdominal muscles are more than sufficient for such a daring act!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} She’s the only one with a sport related talent left… there aren’t many of us who’d have enough strength to climb back up that distance…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} That’s right… I believe that Oriana was perfectly capable to pull off that escape plan!

 

Oriana: {Annoyed, bites nail} … 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I guess… she was hiding her true strength from us all this time!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Accept it Jessie! Oriana jumped the clamp and broke it, thus making the submarine fall and killing Raiko in the process! She then used the method I just described to get back on deck and escape with the secret passage!

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Y-You have no proof… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Sadly… as it stands… this escape plan is merely more than conjecture…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Really…?

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Moreover… you haven’t exactly told us what that ribbon was supposedly attached to!

 

What… it was attached to?

 

 

Yes, that’s it! I’ve got it! 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} What if I told you I knew exactly what she attached her ribbon to!?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} That would certainly… make your theory more credible…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Especially if you have got evidence to back it up…

 

She tied her ribbon to something in the hangar… 

 

This might finally prove it… no time to spare, I should show it to everyone!

 

SPOT SELECTION :

===

 

{Picture of the hangar is shown on screen} 

 

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Select the Fire Hydrant

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Determined} She attached her ribbon to the fire hydrant that was on the edge of the dock!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} That fire hydrant… huh.

 

Fusume: {Confident} That does seem like the sort of object you would want to attach a rope to… considering that it’s fixed to the ground…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Hm… I see. 

 

Jessie: {Clenches fist, desperate expression} Wh-Where’s your proof…!?

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} I d-don’t think that the hydrant would be heavy enough to support her weight! Y-You must be m-mistaken…

 

Hayato: {Defeated} You’re right Jessie… it wasn’t strong enough… that’s why it bent under her weight!

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} It… bent?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: Hey… is it me or is that fire hydrant slightly bent?

 

Reijiro: Hmm… {Sly grin} I believe it is you. 

 

Hayato: Wh-What…?

 

Reijiro: I cannot say that I see anything out of the ordinary here…

 

Hayato: Oh uh… my bad. 

 

I don't think that I'm imagining things… I'm pretty sure that hydrant's shape has changed slightly since we last saw it… 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I would have appreciate some emotional support from Reijiro… but my eyes didn’t decieve me!

 

Hayato: {Determined} That hydrant was bent! And that’s because it was used in the killer’s escape plan! Just like I theorized!

 

Jessie: {Scared} N-No… stop…

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I can’t think of any other way for that hydrant to have been damaged like that… 

 

Hayato: I may not have provided the conclusive proof that I was looking for… but every single piece of evidence points at you Oriana!

 

Hayato: The secret passage’s location, Raiko’s wounds, the ribbon and now the fire hydrant… everything supports my theory!

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} …

 

Hayato: The truth is that you’re the one who killed Raiko by dropping the submarine down from its clamp all the way to the water level! 

 

Hayato: You’d crafted your trap earlier in the evening… and by tampering with the clamp, you propelled Raiko right onto the trident you’d prepared! 

 

Hayato: You tricked us all into believing the killer was inside the submarine with Raiko… but you never actually had to enter the ship to stab Raiko!

 

Hayato: All this evidence… it can’t be coincidental… it all points out to the truth of this case!

 

Hayato: {Determined} And that truth is that Oriana’s the killer! 

 

Oriana: {Winces, clenches fist} Hngh…!

 

Jessie: {Horrified} N-NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )

 

Hikari: {Sad} Oriana… why?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} This… feels so surreal…

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} … 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} N-N-N-N…

 

Jessie: {Breaks down on the podium} Th-This can’t be true…!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Jessie…

 

Seeing Jessie like that really breaks my heart… but what’s worse it that after all that…

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} …

 

Oriana still doesn’t seem bothered in the slightest…

 

Reijiro: {Points at Oriana} You… explain yourself!

 

Oriana: {Serious expression, hands on hips} …

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Please… say something…

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} …

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Maybe it would help everyone if… we went over the case in its entirety once more… 

 

Hayato: Go over the case…? I can do that.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} P-Please do man… I think we’ll be ready to wrap this trial up once you’re done with that…

 

Hayato: I’m on it!

 

Once I do this… Jessie might finally accept the truth… and Oriana’s hopefully going to open up on her motives…

 

No way around it… I need to go over it all once again… 

 

For all of us!

 

CLOSING STATEMENT BEGINS

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTPdehG3xro )

 

Act 1

 

This entire case resolves around Kurozo’s motive… the submarine. While advertized as a way for us to escape the resort, it was actually all fake and solely designed to get our hopes up before breaking them down through repeated failure. 

 

In reality, Kurozo used the submarine as a way to test our sense of perception, offering rewards to the members of the group who’d figure out the submarine’s “secret” the quickest. 

That secret being that our dives were only a simulation and that the submarine never actually moved, and stayed attached to a clamp in mid air for the duration of our expeditions. 

 

Raiko was the first to get close to the truth, which led her to be given a masterkey to the blue building, while the first person to fully understand what the submarine was about was our killer. Their reward was likely the ability to use a secret passage that linked the hangar with the marinebiology lab on the first floor. 

 

It was thanks to that passage, as well as thanks to the knowledge of the submarine’s true nature that the killer was able to craft such an impossible plan

 

Act 2 

 

Last night’s events begun after most of us had gone to sleep, with the killer setting up their death trap. Firstly, they used the secret passage to enter the hangar without being seen by the main staircase’s camera. 

 

To commit their crime, all the culprit had to do was to aquire strong brown tape from the gym’s storage room and use it to stick a weapon to the submarine’s ceiling. Thanks to such a setup, they would be able to stab Raiko without ever setting foot inside the submarine itself.

 

They therefore, took the decorative trident from the submarine’s cabin, broke it in half so that it would not be visible to Raiko thanks to the room’s poor lighting, and placed it right above the submarine’s control’s station. 

 

With that done, most of the work was complete, all our killer had to do now was to play the waiting game.

 

Act 3

 

Some time later, Raiko decided to go to the hangar by herself, just like she had done on previous nights, in order to try to understand the submarine’s secret.

 

For reasons that we have yet to figure out… Raiko wanted to make sure that she wasn’t followed. That’s why she went to Station A and knocked out Kenji who was working there and hit him in the head, knocking him out. 

He was the student who was most likely to oppose her because of the bad blood between them and she wanted to assure that he would not interfere with her plans, so she restrained him and locked the door to Station A from the outside. 

 

We cannot say if it was calculated or not, but the killer dropped a beaker in the marinebiology lab right as Raiko walked past. Once again, Raiko locked the door to the lab from the outside in order to avoid being followed. 

 

This ended up being very beneficial for our killer who was now seemingly stuck inside the lab, creating a very convincing alibi as the rest of use did not know of the secret passage’s existence.

 

Everything else went according to the killer’s plan, Raiko arrived at the hangar and entered the submarine, unaware that death was quite literally hanging right above her head. 

 

Act 4 

 

After some time, the killer used the passage to sneak back into the hangar. 

 

Seeing that the submarine was in use, they knew for a fact that Raiko had to be standing right under the trident’s head. Once that was established, they could move on to the final part of their plan. 

 

They tied their ballet ribbon which they always carried with them to the fire hydrant on the edge of the dock and jumped onto the submarine. 

 

As the ship never actually went anywhere, it was still attached to its clamp, a few meters from water level. All the killer had to do now was to break the fragile clamp and send the submarine crashing down to the water. 

 

Feeling the submarine’s unnatural vibrations as the killer was pulling on the clamp, Raiko feared that something was going to happen to her and tried warning us of the submarine’s secret. She dipped her finger in red ink and tried to write the word “Stationary”, which would be enough of a clue for us to understand the truth. 

 

Unfortunately for us, she was killed before she could finish her message, all we found was “STATION A” which led us to think that she was accusing Kenji. 

 

The ship fell faster than Raiko, which means that she was projected upwards towards the killer’s hidden weapon. She hit the trident with full force and died instantly.

 

Act 5

 

The submarine being gone, the blackened was now merely hanging on to the clamp. They had the difficult task to get back to dock from that precarious position. 

 

Our culprit was actually in a great position to accomplish that task, not only did their talent grant them sufficient core strength to carry out their plan, but their ballet ribbon would allow them to jump from the clamp to the bottom edge of the dock. All they had to do from there was to climb back up using the ribbon, bending the fire hydrant in the process. 

 

The killer was meticulous, they took the ladder that Raiko had used to enter the submarine and placed it back in storage in order to make the locked room even more inexplicable. 

 

Thanks to this complex plan, the killer made it appear like Raiko fought with someone before being stabbed. The killer then had to escape two locked rooms in a row, the submerged submarine and the hangar doors. 

 

Of course, with things as they really were, neither locked room really existed, the submarine wasn’t in the water until Raiko died and the secret passage created an alternate escape route for the killer. 

 

Having completed their plan, the blackened could simply go back to the marinebiology lab and wait until morning to manifest their presence, with a seemingly unbreakable alibi to spare. 

 

Act 6

 

The killer was done with their plan, but the mysteries don’t stop there as there was one more protagonist in our story, that’s Hikari. 

 

She was confronted by Raiko earlier on in the night who asked her to follow her plan and carry out some instructions. Believing that this was in the benefit of the group, Hikari followed Raiko’s demands and in the process, she framed Kenji for the murder. 

 

Hikari propped some of Kenji’s clothes that she had gotten her hands on thanks to the laundry she proposed on one of Station C’s stuffed animals and made her way down to the hangar. 

 

By hiding behind the animal, she hid herself from the camera and made it look like Kenji was the one who followed Raiko to the hangar. She repeated the same steps to head back up, and Raiko’s plan was complete. 

 

Because of Hikari’s involvement, Raiko’s misleading message and Kenji’s recent behaviour, we were all quick to accuse him in a crime where all the evidence seemed against him. 

 

The blackened was very resourceful… the genius of their plan was that it took advantage of two crucial pieces of information which the rest of us didn’t have access to. 

 

By doing so, they created an impossible crime with only one plausible culprit, while giving themselves an airtight alibi. 

 

In reality, the murder was much simpler than we ever imagined, the killer never had to enter the submarine, they killed Raiko from the outside and left without ever coming in contact with her body. 

 

I… still cannot understand why this happened… and how the culprit can be this person, but there’s no doubt about it anymore… there’s only one of us who could have done all this… who could have taken advantage of the secret passage and used their ribbon to escape. 

 

{Hayato is seen pointing at a grey figure who stares back, a bitter look on their face} 

 

It’s you! Oriana Akiba, the Ultimate Ballet Dancer!

 

{Grey figure is revealed as Oriana} 

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )



Hayato: {Holds chin} I believe that’s everything… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What a… complicated case man… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} This… isn’t the outcome that I expected…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Oriana… I… I… can’t believe this…

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} …

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} …

 

Fusume: {Confident} Oriana… are you going to… say anything?

 

Oriana: {Serious expression, hands on hips} Heh… 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} S-Seriously… say something

 

Reijiro: Wait!

 

Huh?

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Reijiro: {Glare} There is something in your recap… that cannot be… 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} H-Huh?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} A piece of evidence… that should not exist… not according to our version of events!

 

Kôzuke: Are you serious man? 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hands over mouth} What are you talking about!?

 

Hayato: Reijiro… what’s going on?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Just think about it… look back at the evidence… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} This… shall not change the outcome of this trial… but it seems foolish to ignore such an obvious contradiction…

 

An obvious contradiction… in the evidence?

 

I guess it’s up to me to find out what that is huh? 

 

Everybody’s looking at me tentatively… I can’t let them down now…

 

I’m confident in my version of events… so whatever this contradiction is… it can’t bring us back far can it?

 

 

Can it?

 

D-Damn… I need to focus… and look back at the evidence one more time!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Bloody Ladder

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Wh-What does this mean…!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato…? What is it? 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Tell us now! 

 

I… I don’t understand…

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} Don’t make us wait any longer!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} The ladder… there was blood on it…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Hm… yes indeed… I do remember seeing that one of the rungs was covered in blood…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} And… what does this change exactly…?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Aaaah!!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Fusume?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Let me clarify it for you… the problem is that considering the fact that the killer never actually came in contact with the victim… 

 

Reijiro: That blood stain should not exist!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Hnngh…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Ah!!! That makes so much sense man!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Wh-What does this mean…? I thought we were done here…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I cannot be sure of what this means… but we must solve this contradiction before we vote…

 

Oriana: {Covers hand, trembles} …

 

Oriana… 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} I knew… that you were mistaken… Oriana-chan… is innocent… this proves it…

 

Does it… prove anything…?

 

Actually… if you eliminate the impossible, what’s left must be…

 

I… I got it!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Don’t tell me that the theory crumbles once we add this inconsistency…

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Please god… just let this end…

 

Hayato: Actually…

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 )

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Maybe… this will be the final nail in the coffin… one which will force Oriana to talk!

 

Oriana: {Pulls on ribbon, scared} …

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… what are you talking about? 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} J-Just… s-stop please…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… you really mean that you can turn this contradiction into an argument in your favor?

 

Hayato: I think so… yes…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Then please, do explain yourself.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The way I see it is this… we assumed that this blood was Raiko’s… for obvious reasons.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} But since we now know that Oriana actually never came in contact with Raiko when she killed her… the blood cannot be hers!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} So… whose is it?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Oriana… didn’t come into contact with anyone who bled that night… which means there’s only one possible answer…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You mean…

 

Hayato: Considering that whoever touched that ladder last night must have gotten the blood on it…

 

Hayato: {Determined} Yes! I propose that the blood is the killer’s! It’s Oriana’s!

 

Oriana: {Scared, pulls on ribbon} …

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Hngh…

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Interesting… but why would Oriana be bleeding in the first place?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I’m not sure… perhaps she hurt herself when forcing the clamp open… or when she broke that beaker… the fact remains that the blood must be the killer’s… and if we can prove that this blood is Oriana’s…

 

Hayato: {Determined} Then there won’t be any possible doubt about it left!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} And how are we supposed to do that!? By just searching her for an injury?

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} That would prove… nothing… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} No… but a blood test would!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} A… blood test?

 

Fusume: As in… forensics?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Well, a simple blood test would be able to determine if this blood is indeed Oriana’s…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} And you really believe that the elephant would allow that…?

 

Hayato: We’ve been granted a fingerprint test in the past, it doesn’t seem that wild to ask for a blood test.

 

Hayato: {Determined} Either way, there’s nothing to lose, so Kurozo can we-

 

I turned to face him but… 

 

{Close-up on Kurozo’s armchair, the elephant is nowhere to be seen}

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} What the hell…?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} That elephant…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It’s… it’s gone!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Where… where is it man?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} How… did we not see him leave…? Did he just disappear!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} This… makes no fucking sense-

 

{All of a sudden the lights go out} 

 

Huh!?

 

Kôzuke: AHHHHHH

 

Fusume: What the…

 

All at once, every light in the trial room turned off, leaving us in perfect obscurity. 

 

Kenji: Who the fuck did that?

 

Shinto: I don’t like this one bit…

 

Reijiro: Stay where you are everyone… do not move!

 

Fusume: We just have to stay calm, it’ll all be fine!

 

First Kurozo vanishing… and then this…?

 

This can’t be a coincidence, there must be something up with-

 

???: upupupupupupupupupu…

 

Reijiro: That voice…

 

Fusume: N-No…

 

Hayato: Him… but… there’s no way…

 

Kenji: You’ve got to be kidding me…

 

Hikari: Don’t tell me… 

 

???: Heh, did y’all miss me?

 

Kôzuke: N-No… not him…

 

We all knew who the owner of that terribly squeaky voice was… that voice devoid of all sympathy or hope…

 

That voice full of despair.

 

We just tried to suppress the thought… the obvious thought, the absolute certainty of who the owner of that voice were.

 

Before I could do anything else, the lights came back on… and I saw…

 

{Kurozo’s armchair seems to have been destroyed, he’s attached to the remains and muzzled, in it’s place, Monokuma can be seen smiling proudly}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy0JuVXTcUw )

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} It is I, Monokuma! I have returned!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Noooooo!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} I… c-can’t take this again…

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} …

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Kurozo!

 

Kurozo: {Muffled} Hmmmhmhmmhmhm!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Wouldn’t try to speak there old friend, I’ve cut off your vocal chords!

 

Kurozo: {Muffled} Hmmmhmhmmhmhmhhhmmmh!!!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} So that muzzle… it’s just for decoration?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Exactly, upupupupu!

 

Kenji: {Furious} How can you be back…? We saw you get executed!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Oh c’mon… we all knew that was just a minor setback… I’m Monokuma and I’m immortal, that’s just the way it is!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} You… killed Yoko…

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Hey, that’s all in the past… let’s not get hung up on details like that…

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful} D-D-Details…

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Don’t look at me like that Shinto… do I need to remind you that she’d still be here if it wasn’t for you?

 


Shinto: {Slams cane on podium} Hnngh…!

 

Monokuma: {Happy} Gosh darn it feels good to be back! I’ve missed all of your faces!

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} But either way, about that Yoko incident… I’ll be more careful from now onwards… I won’t get involved in cases again…

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} My biggest regret is that y’all were stuck with my boring cousin for like a week!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} C-Cousins…? 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Aren’t the two of you… different species?

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} As I said, don’t get hung up on details…

 

Kurozo: {Muffled} Hmmmhmhmmhmhm!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Shut up you! Don’t make me destroy you…!

 

Monokuma: I really should… after everything you’ve done… but oh well, you were just following orders…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} But… the direction’s put me in charge again… so all is well in the end! 

 

Monokuma: I like having a sidekick to have banter with… but don’t piss me off too much or you’ll be gone like the rest of them… you got that!?

 

Kurozo: {Glaring} …

 

Kenji: What am I looking at…?

 

(Music :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 )

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} You must all have… very many questions for me… questions that I will answer very soon… but for now… I propose that you guys wrap up the trial already.

 

Fusume: Wrap up… the trial?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Duh, this has been especially long, even for you guys’ standards… I was getting hella bored watching from the sidelines… 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} I was going to make my entrance more dramatic… but you had to notice that Kurozo was gone… that was my cue to enter. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Pretty funny to think you guys didn’t realise I’d taken him… for a solid 10 minutes or so!

 

Monokuma: That’s how little they cared about you old buddy… you just don’t have Monokuma’s charm!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} If you want us to end this… are you going to grant me my request?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Of course… you guys didn’t have an ultimate truth… this is the best I can do for you!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} So… you will run a blood test?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} I already have!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wh-What!?

 

Hayato: Already…? But how?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Meh, you know how office leaves are… I’ve got a ton of shit to get sorted ASAP, which means the quicker this trial ends the better… 

 

Hikari: You’re… really in a rush huh?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} This trial has gone on for long enough… it’s necessary to end it now… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} The blood… is Oriana Akiba’s. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Hnngh…

 

Oriana: {Annoyed, bites lip} …

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Hayato… was right?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} How do we know that your information is reliable…?

 

Monokuma: I could print out the results for you and let you have a read through… but that would be a waste of everybody’s time…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} It’s in all of our interests that this trial ends soon… so don’t make me repeat myself. 

 

Hayato: That blood… really is Oriana’s…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} If that is truly the case… then this constitutes absolute proof of her guilt… does it not?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I can’t imagine things any differently… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Only the killer’s blood could have been on there… so if her blood’s there then… she’s the killer right?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I… think that this makes sense…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Let’s just… put it to a vote… Monokuma’s right, this trial’s gone on for long enough…

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} N-No… no w-way…

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Perfect, delivering my lines for me are we? I believe that voting is in order…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} The killer’s confession… 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Kenji…?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} We’re missing the killer’s confession… usually… before we vote, the killer confesses… but here…

 

Kenji: {Furious} She’s… too quiet!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You can’t be saying that this silence… is making you doubt!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I’d just… like to hear her say it…

 

Hikari: {Sad} It would make it… just a bit easier.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It doesn’t look like she’ll confess… we’ll have to do it without her-

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} It was me… I did it. Happy?

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Oriana-chan?

 

Oriana: Honestly… you guys talk too much… it’s really starting to piss me off…

 

The real Oriana… she’s out again… and her stutter is completely gone…

 

Oriana: {Hands on hips, serious expression} Everything went like you said… and I would have gotten away with it too… I just made a few stupid mistakes… 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} That blood’s mine… I cut myself on the clamp’s edge… again, rookie mistake. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} R-Rookie…?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Oriana… is that really you?

 

Oriana: {Bites lip, playful look} Guess so… you really don’t know people as well as you think huh?

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} Anyway, you wanted my confession, you’ve got it… just vote me out already… I don’t deserve to stay in the running… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} In the running?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wh-What happened to her seriously? 

 

Oriana: {Serious expression, hands on hips} Just… let me die already will you?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Well, you’ve heard it from the girl herself, I wasn’t lying about the blood… now, you’ve got everything you could have wanted… time to vote!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Everyone… please… be careful in your voting…

 

Vote…? 

 

Oriana… why…?

 

What happened to you…?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} When I say vote… I mean vote now, I won’t be generous just because I missed you bastards, make me wait and you’ll die!

 

I… don’t have a choice then… 

 

Without really thinking, I pressed on Oriana’s face on the voting tablet and silently waited for everybody else to do so… 

 

This… what does this all mean?

 

Why… her?

 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} The votes are in! 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Spoiler alert, I think you got it right…

 

Monokuma: Oh well… let’s spin the wheel, for old time’s sake! The blackened is…

 

{A gigantic screen lights up behind Monokuma’s lifeguard chair which displays a roulette with every student’s pixelated face. A ball with Monokuma’s face on it is thrown on the roulette which starts rotating at high speed. After some time, the roulette slows down and the ball lands on Oriana. The screen goes dark for a few seconds before lighting up again with the word CORRECT flashing on it while confettis are propelled from the roulette}

 

{Scene goes back to the normal format}

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Congrats you bastards, y’all staying as sharp even when I’m gone! Let’s just say that I didn’t help you out in the end and let you take all the credit!

 

Monokuma: The cruel culprit who took Raiko Itake’s life is indeed Oriana Akiba, the Ultimate Ballet Dancer…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It really was you…

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} What did I say? I’ve got nothing to lose anymore…

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} I-I-Impossible…

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} I will say that the vote wasn’t unanymous… two of you voted for somebody other than Oriana…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Two of us?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Jessie voted for herself… and Kenji voted for Raiko. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Looks like somebody still isn’t over his beef with the victim upupupu… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Kenji… why?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Don’t… talk to me…

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} With that out of the way… I’ll give you a few minutes for goodbyes… but keep it short…

 

Hayato: Goodbyes… already?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The execution… is coming…

 

Jessie: {Scared} E-Eep!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Not another one… not Oriana…

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} Come on… don’t act like you care… me being executed doesn’t really matter to you… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Of course it does! 

 

Oriana: {Hands on hips, serious expression} No… you think that you care… but deep down, you don’t… the real you don’t… trust me…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} What… does that mean?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Considering that time is of the essence here… perhaps you’d be so kind as to give us your motives for murder before… it is too late. 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} You want to know… why I killed her? Isn’t it obvious?

 

Oriana: {Bites lip, playful look} I wanted to leave the resort… it’s as simple as that… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} That’s it…? 

 

Oriana: Well yeah… isn’t that everybody’s motive?

 

Oriana: {Hands on hips, serious expression} I picked Raiko because I suspected that she was planning a murder of her own… couldn’t let her steal my opportunity… so I acted. 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} You got it right… I figured out that the submarine was a sham and was rewarded with access to that passage… 

 

Oriana: Raiko locked me in… and thought she could contain me… but really she just signed off her death warrant. 

 

Oriana: {Hands on hips, serious expression} That’s all there is to it… it could have been any of you… I just capitalized on her midnight dives…

 

Oriana: {Bites lip, playful look} I guess it was also revenge in a way… after what she did to me during Yoshi’s trial… 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} R-Revenge…?

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} Come on… she fully got what was coming to her… let’s be honest here…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} And… Yoshi giving up his life to protect yours… does that mean nothing to you?

 

Oriana: {Hands on hips, serious expression} Oh that… heh… I guess you wouldn’t understand… this whole thing, it’s bigger than us… his life, my life… they don’t really matter at the end of the day. 

 

Oriana: {Angry, hands on hips} The only thing that matters is to win… and I failed to do that… which is why I’ll die. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Why… would we not understand ?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} What do you know that we don’t?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} What happened… to the Oriana that we knew…?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Isn’t it obvious…?

 

Obvious… what does he mean?

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} You got your memories back didn’t you?

 

Her… memories…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} N-No way…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Could that be it…?

 

Oriana: {Bites lip, playful look} Took you long enough to figure it out… 

 

Oriana: {Hands on hips, serious expression} The person you’re looking at… it’s the true Oriana… the one you all knew back in the day… it’s a real shame that you can’t remember. 

 

So… that’s what happened… it explains her sudden change in personnality… but… this is really fucked up

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} She… really got her memories back?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I can’t believe this… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Monokuma… did you do this?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} I uh… I… this… this… 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} I think you’ve had sufficient time for explanations… let’s move on to the execution should we?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What!? You didn’t give us any time at all! 

 

Hayato: Monokuma… you can’t do this! Not yet!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Hey! I told you time was of the essence didn’t I’

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Quick! Tell us the truth!

 

Oriana: Huh?


Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Why are you like this…? Why… did everybody who got their memories back turn murderous…? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What happened to us?

 

Oriana: {Bites lip, playful look} You really don’t rememebr anything do you? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Tell us Oriana! Before it’s too late

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} And why would I do that? I don’t owe you anything do I!?

 

N-No… she can’t do this…

 

Hayato: You have to tell us something! What did you remember?

 

Oriana: {Bites lip, playful look} The time you’ve all forgotten… certainly was eventful… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} In what way!? What happened to us dammit!?

 

Oriana: Is that the question you should be asking…? Or maybe is the more appropriate question: “Who are we?”

 

Hayato: Who are we?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} That’s enough talking… on with the execution!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} This is… scaring me…

 

Oriana: {Hands on hips, serious expression} Seriously… hasn’t any of you wondered why nobody’s come to help us? After all this time missing… you’d think that somebody notice right?

 

Hayato: B-But then… why didn’t anybody come?

 

Oriana: {Bites lip, playful look} You really have no idea!?

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} What happened… who are we!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Tell us the truth… now!

 

Oriana: Having existential crises are we?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} D-Don’t say any more… or I’ll kill you!

 

Oriana: {Hands on hips, serious expression} You’re killing me anyway you idiot… I can basically say what I want!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Okay well… enough, it’s time to die now!

 

Oriana: You can’t stop me from speaking!

 

Monokuma: {Excited} I’ve prepared a very special-

 

(Music : None)

 

Oriana: The world’s ended. 

 

Hayato: What… what did you just say?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} I think that I misheard you… it sounded like you said that the world had ended…

 

Oriana: {Bites lip, playful look} That’s exactly what I said… society as you know it, is no more… that’s the truth!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} You stupid child, I told you not to speak!

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} And I said that I’d do whatever the hell I wanted!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Monokuma… that’s not true is it?

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} O-Of course it is not true! 

 

Oriana: {Hands on hips, serious expression} But it is… go to the archives and look up the tragedy will you?

 

Hayato: The tragedy?

 

Why does that name… sound so familiar?

 

Monokuma: {Angry} STOP TALKING!

 

Oriana: {Bites lip, playful look} Look it up… maybe you’ll understand then!

 

Kenji: {Furious} What the fuck are you telling us!

 

Monokuma: I’VE PREPARED A VERY SPECIAL PUNISHMENT FOR THE ULTIMATE BALLET DANCER, ORIANA AKIBA!

 

Oriana: {Heartfelt smile} Heh, looks like I’m out of time… but I said what I wanted to say…

 

Oriana: Try not to remember me as a failure will you? I tried… but I wasn’t good enough… 

 

Oriana: {Cold glare} All that should matter now to each and every one of you is winning… try to remember why you’re here!

 

Why we’re here?

 

Monokuma: LET’S GIVE IT EVERYTHING WE GOT!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} P-Please give us more time!

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} Wh-Why… don’t I understand…?

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Oriana-chan…

 

Oriana: {Heartfelt smile} Good luck everyone… looks like you’ll have all the fun without me now… 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} I can only hope that I did enough… 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} IT’S PUNISHMENT TIME!

 

Jessie: {Horrified} NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

 

Oriana: {Dark glare} Don’t let it all go to waste… all of our work!

 

Oriana: {Heartfelt smile} Looks like I’ve reached the end of the line… finally…

 

{GAME OVER}

 

{ORIANA HAS BEEN FOUND GUILTY}

 

{TIME FOR THE PUNISHMENT}

 

________________

 

{A large claw appeared out of nowhere and grabbed Oriana by the neck, she seemed… almost serene as the cable dragged her away into darkness. A projector screen lights up in the courtroom} 

 

NUT-CRACKING UNDER PRESSURE

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cNQFB0TDfY )

 

On screen, Oriana is shown in a theater in front of a crowd full of Monokumas. 




Each of her limbs is attached to a pink ribbon which are held by large mechanical arms. 

 

Suddenly, the arms start moving around in rhythm with the music, thus dragging Oriana around the stage. 

 

The Monokumas start booing and throwing tomatos at Oriana. She’s dragged away from the path of most of the fruits as the mechanical arms violently thrash her from corner to corner. 

 

The camera cuts accelerates as we see Oriana start to turn red. The Monokumas change method and start throwing nuts at her, this time, it the mechanical arms throw her in the path of most of the projectiles, 

 

As she gets hit in the face and body with the nuts, she starts bleeding and slightly sweating. The Monokumas cheer. 

 

Suddenly, a nail falls from the ceiling and lands face up on the floor, all the projectiles stop as the Monokumas stare at Oriana in silence. 

 

Her movements are now much slower, the mechanical arms are slowly bringing her closer and closer to the rusted nail. 

 

Her right foot steps right next to it a first time and the Monokumas gasp, a few moments later, her left foot lands a few inches away, the Monokuma start to cheer and their clapping accelarates. 

 

As the crescendo builds, Oriana’s movements also get faster, the mechanical arms drag her around like a ragdoll as she is being thrown closer and closer to the dangerous looking nail.

 

The Monokuma go back to throwing nuts and tomatos on Oriana whose face is quickly covered with juice and who cannot see where she is being launched. 

 

The music is reaching its climax as the camera cuts get even quicker until… it all stops. 

 

Everything seems to be going in slow motion as Oriana floats in mid air, holding a majestuous pose as the mechanical arms lead her back onto the floor. 

 

Breathe in, breathe out and it all gets back to tempo once more as Oriana is thrown at the ground

 

Oriana’s left foot lands right on the nail and blood gushes out of her foot as she screams and the Monokumas cheer. 

 

She lays on the floor, holding her injured foot before being stretched out forced up on her feet by the mechanical arms again. 

 

Complete silence, she looks around and it appears that all the bears are gone. The scene zooms out, and it is revealed that Oriana’s actually standing inside a huge music box. 

 

She looks up in horror before the lid of the box closes down on her crushing her as blood splatters on the camera. 

 

 

Oriana Akiba is no more…}

 

__________

 

I… can’t say that I remember much of what happened after that… I’d never been more horrified in my entire life.

 

I heard screaming… crying… and I’m pretty sure that a few people vomitted. 

 

Nobody had time for Monokuma’s silly post-execution antics… people ran out of the courtroom without a second’s wait… traumatised by what they’d just seen…

 

I… just couldn’t move… 

 

What I’d just seen scarred me… but… it wasn’t the main thing occupying my head at the moment…

 

It was… what Oriana said… 

 

“The world has ended”

 

“Remember why you’re here”

 

“Don’t let it all go to waste”

 

What did she mean…? Why… couldn’t we get more information…?

 

 

Why is this happening to us? What have we done to deserve this?

 

 

When my body finally started responding to me… the courtoom was empty… Monokuma had said something about giving us some time to breathe before his next announcements in the morning I think… 

 

I couldn’t care less to be fair… I just needed to get away from this damned place… 

 

And so I did… I groggily made my way to the elevator… I must have been in a sort of trance because next thing I know, I was laying in my bed, half naked. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

I couldn’t tell you if it was day or night… I have no idea how long we spent in that fucking courtroom. 

 

This… this is a big fat mess that we’re in… after what we’ve seen… and what Oriana’s told us… how are we even supposed to rebound from this…?

 

Is there… really a way forward?

 

I… can’t take much more of this… 

 

8 of us have died… that’s half of the group… they’re all dead… and they’re not coming back… 

 

We need to get out of here… 

 

But… can I really muster it? 

 

Can this group… survive after everything?

 

Is… winning really the only way out…?

 

Oriana… told us to focus on winning… what does she know that we don’t?

 

I can’t bring myself to murder so… am I doomed?

 

I’ll die in here… 

 

I’ll die without knowing who I really am… and there’s nothing that I can do about it… 

 

There’s no more room for hope… at all. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

{Later, in the computer lab}

 

{Reijiro is seated in front of a computer, red bags under both his eyes.

 

He presses a few keys, a tense look on his face before finally breathing out in satisfaction. 

 

A file with a few dozens documents is shown on the computer screen, he clicks on the document called “READ THIS FIRST”. It opens and text appears on screen}

 

If you read this… I’m probably dead. Pretty dramatic right? 

 

I know this to be true because I wouldn’t let anyone access this stick, so I write this in case something happens to me. So that the rest of you has a chance to survive. 

 

What’s on this stick is every single piece of information that I’ve gathered since we’ve got here. I won’t tell you how I got them all but they seem reliable. So here they are… I hope they can be of some help to you. 

 

As I write this, I’m uncertain of my chances of survival. I feel like I’ve made myself the obvious target… but I guess that it’s too late to reflect on that. 

 

If I die, my first suspect would be Kenji, so maybe look into that… but be thorough… as you always are. You can’t afford to get it wrong… we’ve been through too much to lose this close to the finish line. 

 

All this time, I thought that the only good outcome was victory… that I had to outlast you all in the killing game and win… I guess that wasn’t the optimal choice. 

 

My calculations were wrong, for the first time… in reality… my chances of survival would have been much higher if I had stuck with the group… and hadn’t antagonised you all. 

 

If I die… then I can only blame myself for that.

 

Hopefully these files will make up for the harm that I’ve done, it was never anything personal against any of you… I was just doing what I thought was best. 

 

Statistically, by working together… you can make it… you need to find another way, so that nobody else has to die… 

 

Don’t give up hope… please… I know you can make me proud… 

 

I leave this all to your collective wit… and I will now go back to my work… I’m this close to figuring out the submarine’s secret… I feel like tonight might be the night that I finally breakthrough… 

 

I hope nobody will ever read this… but if you do… don’t screw this up… make it out alive… 

 

Here’s to hoping that you’ll trust that my intentions are good this time around… 

 

Wishing you the very best. 

 

Raiko Itake



 

{Reijiro smiles softly at the screen as a single tear drops from his eye}

 

{He scrolls down, the letter continues}

 

PS : I thought you should know this… but Monokuma will be coming back any day now… I’ve managed to intercept a few communications… it looks like the next motive’s already in the works…

 

I can’t give you many details just yet… but from what I’ve gathered… they’ve gone out of their way with this one. 

 

Friends… looks like we’re going to rob a bank!

 

{A few moments later, he gets up, a determined expression on his face} 

 

Reijiro: We cannot let it… go to waste. 

 

Reijiro: Heh… this is finally getting interesting. 



_____________________________________________________________

 

Chapter 4 : 20,000 Leagues under the Sea

END

_____________________________________________________________

 

SURVIVING STUDENTS:

8

 






 

Notes:

Jeez… looks like things are going from bad to worst for our students.
In this update we say goodbye to Oriana who will be missed, and who did not leave without confusing the living hell out of everyone.

Chapter 5 "Monokuma Presents : The Greatest Heist" is next and we're reaching the endgame of this fic, I'm really excited to show you what I've got planned for the last few chapters.

Chapter 5's daily life will be significantly shorter than the rest which means there are only a few free time events left. That's right! FTE are back and you can vote right here! https://www.strawpoll.me/20703697

No ETA yet, Ill need some time to plan everything but hopefully you won't have to wait too long for this one

We've reached 500,000 words with this update, so I thank you all for sticking with this fic all this time

I'll see you all in the next one, take care ;)

Chapter 53: Chapter 5 : Monokuma Presents "The Greatest Heist" : Daily Life part 1

Notes:

And so the dreaded chapter 5 finally begins!

Sorry for the delay, I took a small break and this update took me longer than planned.

As I've mentioned previously, Chapter 5's daily life will only be three chapters long, however that does mean that the chapters will be a bit longer than usual.

Now, let's see how our students have been affected by last chapter shall we?

Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

 

{Screen is black, two voices can be heard}

 

??? #1: Come on, get a move on!

 

??? #2: I don’t know who the hell you think you are… but this ain’t happening!

 

??? #1: Y-You’re gonna cause me a ton of trouble if you don’t just comply… s-so come on… please!

 

??? #2: Heh… you really think that you can capture me? You must not know who I am…

 

??? #1: I kn-know exactly… who you are… Caspian.

 

{A muscular boy with purple hair can be seen smirking at the camera}

 

Caspian? :  Looks like even the likes of you have heard of me… but then you’ll know that you won’t catch me that easily. 

 

??? #1 : I… h-have no choice… but to bring you with me… we’ve made it this far… Caspian!

 

Caspian?: It’s never too late for a dramatic escape! See ya!

 

??? #1: N-No come back here! I’ll… they’ll kill me if I don’t bring you back to your pod!

 

Caspian?: That’s what you’re calling them…? Pods? You really thought I’d be okay with this? 

 

??? #1: It… it doesn’t matter whether you agree or not… it’s been decided already

 

??? #1 : I won’t let you escape… I c-can’t… disappoint that person…

 

Caspian?: Hey, wh-what are you doing? You won’t catch me! You won’t-

 

{Screen goes blank, a loud crashing sound can be heard}

 

 

??? #1: Oh n-n-no… I d-didn’t mean to… 

 

{The purple haired boy’s body can be seen at the bottom of a flight of stairs, blood is starting to seep from the back of his head}

 

??? #1 : Is he d-dead!!?

 

??? #1 : It w-was an accident… I n-never… intended to k-kill him… I… I… n-no… no…

 

{Tadao is shown kneeling next to the boy’s body as tears flow from his face} 

 

Tadao: I’m s-s-so… sorry… I… 

 

Tadao: Hnngh…

 

Tadao: What… what have I done…?

 

{Screen cuts to black}

 

_______________________

 

Chapter 5 : Monokuma Presents : The Greatest Heist

 

________________________

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a jacuzzi, holding some sort of cocktail glass in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Gooood Morning! This is your director speaking, it’s now 8:00 AM! Look out the window, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. A perfect weather to kill wouldn’t you say?

 

Get ready for a spectacular day everyone!

 

I’m back baby!

 

 

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )

 

N-No… why did I wake up…?

Everything would have been much simpler if I simply hadn’t woken up… 

 

I wouldn’t have to face reality… the horrible reality which I now live in. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

If there really was someone in the submarine… then why weren't they responding?

 

The answer to that question was perfectly clear in my mind… but I just couldn't accept it. 

 

And yet… as soon as we went through the hatch… the scene in front of us… 

 

I had to accept it… what I was seeing… it was exactly what I feared. 

 

 

No… it was so much worse than that. 

 

Raiko… was dead. 

 

And after everything that she'd accomplished, the Ultimate Schemer had been slain… 

 

Slain by one of us… one of my friends.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Oriana: {Heartfelt smile} Good luck everyone… looks like you’ll have all the fun without me now… 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} I can only hope that I did enough… 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} IT’S PUNISHMENT TIME!

 

Jessie: {Horrified} NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

 

Oriana: {Dark glare} Don’t let it all go to waste… all of our work!

 

Oriana: {Heartfelt smile} Looks like I’ve reached the end of the line… finally…

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

And if that wasn’t enough… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Oriana: The world’s ended. 

 

Hayato: What… what did you just say?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} I think that I misheard you… it sounded like you said that the world had ended…

 

Oriana: {Bites lip, playful look} That’s exactly what I said… society as you know it, is no more… that’s the truth!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} You stupid child, I told you not to speak!

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} And I said that I’d do whatever the hell I wanted!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Monokuma… that’s not true is it?

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} O-Of course it is not true! 

 

Oriana: {Hands on hips, serious expression} But it is… go to the archives and look up the tragedy will you?

 

Hayato: The tragedy?

 

Why does that name… sound so familiar?

 

Monokuma: {Angry} STOP TALKING!

 

Oriana: {Bites lip, playful look} Look it up… maybe you’ll understand then!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

The world… has ended… 

 

I now know this to be the truth… 

 

Oriana’s last words… might just haunt me for the rest of my life… 

 

I see no reason for her to have lied to us… and Monokuma’s reaction made it obvious that he did not want us to know whatever she was talking about…

 

 

But… how…? How can the world have ended? What does that mean exactly?

 

Our world… cannot just… end, just like that… as suddenly as it was formed. 

 

That makes no sense… 

 

If the world has ended… then where are we exactly…? 

 

How have we not noticed anything? The world can’t have ended… in the year we’ve forgotten… can it? 

 

Is this… why our classmates who got their memories back all became killers? Were they all overcome by the despair of knowing that there was nothing left on the outside?

 

Because if this is true… then it’s a fact… no one’s coming to help us… we’re stuck here… until we all die. 

 

There’s no room for hope anymore… and that means that I’ve got no reason to get out of bed… 

 

I’ll just stay here… until somebody kills me… that shall be my fate… 

 

I… won’t… get… up.

 

 

 

 

 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} In all seriousness… I have to thank you. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} You might be the first person to have faith in me like that. 

 

Raiko: {Hits on cigarette} I can't guarantee that I'll act the way you want me to… but I'll try to redeem myself… in some way. 

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} I won't expect the rest of the group to accept me for who I am… 

 

Raiko: {Blushes} But now I know… that I can count on you… my friend. 

 

Raiko: {Giggles} For once, I think I'm the one who understands you a bit better… I think I finally know where you stand. 

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} When I talk to you… I'm not interacting with a fool who doesn't understand the risk I represent… nor to a genius who's trying to out-manipulate me. 

 

Raiko: {Honest smile} No… I'm talking to my equal… and my friend!

 

{Ends Flashhback}

 

Hnngh… I… can’t… give up…

 

Raiko… wouldn’t have wanted this… 

 

 

I have to do something… anything… 

 

I’m not sure I have the strengh to do much… but staying here and acting like such a crybaby… Raiko would be ashamed of me… I know it. 

 

 

I must do… whatever I can… in order to keep us all alive… that’s the only way I can make her proud…

 

The only way to assure that all the others haven’t died in vain… 

 

 

Monokuma’s probably expecting us to meet in the restaurant in order for him to give us the key to the final building… 

 

I don’t think many of us will attend… but I should head there… just in case there’s a chance for me to confront the bear about this whole tragedy business… 

 

*Sigh* … This is the right thing to do… I know it…

 

Better get moving then! No time to waste here! 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdSYNKNagU )

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Talk to Hikari} 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} H-Hayato…

 

Hayato: Good morning Hikari. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} G-Good…? I wouldn’t call this… good… 

 

As expected… she’s been hit hard by the trial…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Hnngh…

 

Hikari’s one of the most sensitive members of the group left… it’s no surprise that she was hurt by what we’ve been put through. 

 

Hayato: Yesterday was horrible… but we need to keep moving forward Hikari… we’ll find a way out of this place, one way or another! 

 

Hikari: {Sad} B-But… what if the outside world is worse than here…? Then what do we do?

 

Worse than here…? I suppose I didn’t think of things this way… 

 

If the outside world really is in ruins then… maybe she’s right… 

 

Despite that, I have to cheer her up… somehow.

 

Hayato: We can’t be sure of that Hikari… and until we have certainty… we cannot give up!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… I… I don’t know… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I’m scared of what’s outside… maybe we’re better off staying here forever… we just need to make sure that no murders are committed anymore… and we’ll be fine…

 

Spending our entire lives here? Is that really better than what’s waiting for us outside?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Whatever the solution is… we have to do it together… th-that’s the only option… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I can’t let myself become isolated… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I’ll… see you with everyone else… {Leaves}

 

Mission failed… I’ll have to put more work into cheering her up it seems… 

 

It’s definitely a good sign that she’s avoiding isolation… it might seem comforting at first but there’s no way to survive in her without working as a team… I’m sure of that. 

 

The more I think of it… the more I’m convinced that I need to make sure that all seven of my remaining classmates are doing okay mentally… that seems to be a good way to prevent any more murders from happening…

 

This… won’t be easy…

 

{Talk to Reijiro}

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… good morning!

 

Hayato: Reijiro?

 

Is he… smiling?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} What is the matter with you?

 

Hayato: I should be the one asking that question… how can you be smiling after everything that happened?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Would you rather see me saddened? 

 

Hayato: Well… n-no… I guess you just surprised me. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… if there’s room for hope to exist… then we might as well do our best to accept it…

 

Hayato: Accept… hope?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} If you do not hope in the toughest situations… then when should you do so?

 

Hayato: But how can one hope when it seems that everything goes against them?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… that, my friend, is the question we will all have to answer today!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I expect to see you in the restaurant… do not be late. 

 

My… friend!?

 

Who is this… and what has he done to the Reijiro I know?

 

Something’s up with him… and I can’t wait to figure out what that is…

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor} 

 

{Move to Restaurant} 

 

{Scene opens in the restaurant, Reijiro, Fusume, Hikari, Shinto and Kôzuke are all sat at the center table in silence. Kenji and Jessie are each sat in separate tables by themselves} 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Hayato… you’re here… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} G-Good morning… man… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} … 

 

Hayato: Hello everyone.

 

As predicted… the atmosphere’s pretty terrible. 

 

Shinto: {Looks to the floor} Take a seat with us… we were waiting… 

 

Hayato: Waiting… for me? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Correct… as I have told you earlier, I have some news… and I thought it wiser to wait for everybody to have arrived before sharing them… 

 

Hayato: Everyone…? And what about Kenji and Jessie?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Neither of them… wanted to sit with us man…

 

Jessie: {Sobbing} …

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} Heh… Heheheh…

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} Both of them have valid reasons to take some time off… but they are here… which means that they can listen. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Listen… to what exactly Reijiro? What is there that could change this reality…?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} If Oriana wasn’t lying then… that means that everything that we know… and everyone we loved… 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} They’re all dead!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} That can’t be real man… it c-c-can’t be…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Despite how impossible it sounds… Oriana had no reason to lie to us… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And yet… we cannot know the truth for sure… and that is why we must keep fighting!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Keep fighting… for what?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} How do we know… that what’s waiting for us outside isn’t worse than here!?

 

Hikari: {Desperate} Shouldn’t we just… accept that we’re stuck here forever!!?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Hikari… y-you cannot be serious…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Staying here forever…? But… Yoko… I promised that I’d get out for her…

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} This… isn’t possible… we can’t… accept that!

 

Hikari: {Sad} I… I… don’t know anymore guys… I… I just don’t know how to be hopeful when nothing is going our way!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… this is why you must listen to the information that I have acquired… perhaps this will give you what you need. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Reijiro… what you’ve found… could it really inspire hope into the hearts of our classmates? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I shall not pretend that I have discovered a way out… nor can I prove that this so-called tragedy is a fabrication… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} However, I do believe that what I have found… could be of great use to us all. 

 

What he’s found…? What could it be? 

 

I’m really not sure what to expect… and at the same time I’m scared to bring my expectations up just in case it’s not as good as he claims it is… I’m not sure how many more disappointments I can take… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Very well… now into my announcement itself-

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INLmO8sZO1o )

 

Monokuma: {Appears} GOOD MORNING CHILDREN!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You…

 

Kurozo: {Appears} Do forgive us… I was of the opinion that we should have let you finish… but I suppose that I’m not the one making the calls anymore. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Ah… dramatic entrances are just that much more enjoyable when you’re interrupting someone… 

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Wouldn’t you say so, oh loyal sidekick?

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} I told you not to call me that!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Well I told you to play along! And the direction’s put me in power once more… which means that you are contractually obliged to listen to me!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} You know that I’m perfectly capable of… making you disappear…

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Mrhm… at least I don’t have to be restrained anymore… 

 

Monokuma: Yeah, well if you want that to continue, you better be a good sidekick and listen to my orders!

 

It’s so weird seeing both of them interacting like that… I got so used to seeing Kurozo in power that seeing him so submissive now… it feels off. 

 

Either way… it seems like Monokuma timed his entrance to barge in at the worst possible time

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Please, forgive Kurozo… he was born with a stick up his behind… you know the type. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Why are you here Monokuma…? Don’t you think we’ve had enough of you?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Y-Yeah! Leave us alone man! We’ve got enough on our plates already! 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} P-P-Please… go a-away.

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} You should have all expected our visit by now… isn’t our motive for coming to you obvious?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You’re going to open up the last building… aren’t you? 

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} Indeed, the fifth and final building will now be accessible to you all!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} It would be wise to use this time in order to investigate this new location. 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} That is… if you are interested in finding a potential way to escape the resort.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We do not need you to tell us what to do… we will investigate if we decide to do so… keep your advice for yourself. 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Yeah, Kurozo… you don’t run things here anymore remember? Don’t talk unless you’re asked to do so!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} B-But…

 

Monokuma: Hush hush now… you’re disturbing the students!

 

Hayato: I think that comment can also be applied to you Monokuama… you’ve told us about the new building… you’re welcome to leave now!

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Rude… is that really a way to talk to your director? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} I’d say we’re past the pleasantries by now… aren’t we? 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I suppose that’s your choice to make Fusume… are you sure you want to defy me? 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} There’s no point in antagonazing them now… just let them leave.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Upupupu… if that’s what you want we’ll leave you bastards alone… we wouldn’t want y’all to miss your chance at getting out of here right! You need all the time you can get!

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} J-Just stop it with that! We’re not falling for that again man!

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Falling… for what exactly?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} We might have believed that there’d be a way out last time around with the submarine… but there’s no way any of us would fall for that sort of stuff again!

 

Kôzuke: {Angry eyes} You just want us to believe that escape’s possible so that we can be disappointed after… you’re just trying to trick us!

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Heh… maybe I am… but then again… what if there really was a way out huh?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Would it be worth it to miss such an opportunity on instinct alone?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} You’d rather stay here forever than look for an exit?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} But such an exit doesn’t exist!

 

Monokuma: {Amused} So you say Kôzuke… but you simply cannot know that for sure upupu…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Hnngh… s-stop messing with m-my head…

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Now… I guess it’d be better to leave you all to your investigation for now!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Come, my loyal sidekick… our presence is unwanted here… 

 

Kurozo: {Bitter, scratches book cover} It appears… that this is goodbye for now… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Wait a moment. 

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} Huh? What is it Reijiro? I thought you guys wanted us gone as fast as possible…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} That much is stil the case, as far as I’m concerned… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Please, grant me just a few more minutes… now that you’re here… I would like you to give us some information about yesterday’s revelations…

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} I told you that they’d have questions.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Hm… yes, I should have seen this coming. 

 

Monokuma: I presume that you’re talking about Oriana’s last words… correct?

 

Hayato: Of course that’s what he’s talking about! 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Oriana: The world’s ended. 

 

Hayato: What… what did you just say?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} I think that I misheard you… it sounded like you said that the world had ended…

 

Oriana: {Bites lip, playful look} That’s exactly what I said… society as you know it, is no more… that’s the truth!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I would like more information on what that girl said… why did she say that the world had ended… and what is this “tragedy” all about?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} And why does that word feel so famliar…?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Well that’s uh… you know…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And don’t even try to act like you don’t know what she was talking about! You obviously do! 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating harder} I uh… I’ll… uh… 

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} Ahem, I’ll have to pass this one to my sidekick who’ll be happy to answer your questions on the subject!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Really? You think that’s just going to diffuse the situation?

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} I believe that I am perfectly capable of answering the question on Monokuma’s behalf. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} The tragedy did in fact occur… and the outside world has definitely gone through a significant amount of change in the year which you have forgotten. 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} However, we are not free to disclose any additionnal information about those events… it will be your responsability to figure out what exactly happened in that year. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} And… how are we supposed to do that exactly? 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Ah but by getting your memories back of course!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What… are you talking about?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Brainwashing’s a difficult thing to get right y’know… in reality the information wasn’t so much removed from your brain… rather it was hidden so that you wouldn’t find it!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} That means that all the answers that you seek…  they’ve been inside you all along!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} That’s… not possible!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The sort of technology you’d need to do something like that… it doesn’t exist!

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} I mean… clearly, it does… or do you have any other explanation for why you can’t remember all that stuff?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} …

 

Hayato: So… what you’re trying to tell us… is that you didn’t actually take away our memories… you just supressed them in some way.

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} That’s precisely it… you are all perfectly capable of getting the full picture… if you muster enough strength to access those hidden memories!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} And you want us to do that… how?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} When you’ll be mentally ready for the memories to reappear… you’ll feel it. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} If not, then we can also just give you a little push, like we did to some of your fallen comrades!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} You… monster…

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that… We would much rather if you figured it all out by yourselves!

 

Hayato: Let me get this straight… you’re the ones who took our memories away from us… and yet you want us to remember what you stole from us?

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} Precisely!

 

Hayato: But… why?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Huh… I wonder… I guess that’s also up to you to figure out…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You’re really not going to give us anything are you…?

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} There’s no guarantee that you’ll find a way out in the green building… 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} But I can assure you that you’ll be faced with several clues and pieces of information which will help you reassemble the pieces…

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} Sadly, that is all that we can do for you at the moment…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Don’t act like you care about this…

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You’re right… I don’t. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} So… is that all you can tell us? 

 

Kurozo: Correct-

 

Monokuma: {Proud} Hold your horses, oh loyal sidekick!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} I’m not sure I’ll get used to their interactions if it continues like this…

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} Trust me, neither will I…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} What is it Monokuma…? 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} There is something that I can give you bastards… out of the kindness of my heart. 

 

Kurozo: What are you doing-

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Silence!

 

Monokuma: {Proud} And now… with no explanation whatsoever… take this!

 

{A class picture similar to the one shown by Monokuma during the first trial is shown on screen}

 

Reijiro: Th-This is…

 

Fusume: What the…?

 

Kôzuke: Wait… didn’t we see this already?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} N-No… this picture… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Monokuma… what is this?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Hey! I told you that you wouldn’t get an explanation! You’ll have to figure out what this means by yourselves!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} B-But…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} And now, we’re 100% done here! Enjoy the rest of the day you bastards!

 

Hikari: W-Wait a second…

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} And on that note, I’m out! {Disappears}

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed, stroking trunk} *Sigh*… it appears that I too must leave… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forwards} Make good use of your time today… you need to make sure you’ve investigated the building correctly before the next motive’s revealed. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-Next… motive?

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Mhm… farewell, students. {Disappears} 

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )

 

Fusume: {Hurt} What… could this mean…?

 

After the mascots left, I approached the others and upon closer inspection, I quickly understood what was bothering Reijiro and Fusume with that picture.

 

{Camera zooms on the picture to show an unknown purple haired boy in the top right corner}

 

Hayato: Who… is this guy?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} This makes no sense whatsoever… we have seen this exact same picture before… when Monokuma told us about our missing memories. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Everybody’s there… Kyia, Fukami… all of them. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} All of them except for Tadao… and in his place, this boy.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Doesn’t anybody recognise him?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’ve uh… never seen him in my entire life man… 

 

Hayato: He does vaguely resemble Tadao… but this is clearly a different person. 

 

{Side by side comparison of the boy in the picture and Tadao in the older photograph} 

 

Hayato: That boy’s much taller and more muscular than Tadao… and his expression, he’s smiling… something that we’ve rarely seen Tadao doing. 

 

Fusume: Apart from that… the pictures are identical… 

 

{Back to normal}

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Which means that one of these two pictures was edited to include one of these two!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But… how do we know which one’s real man?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I’m afraid we cannot know that for a fact at the moment… 

 

Hayato: I’d assume that if Monokuma gives this one to us now… it would make the previous picture obsolete right? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Perhaps… but that is no certainty. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Hold on just a moment… if we assumed that this second picture’s real… doesn’t that mean that Tadao wasn’t actually part of our class?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} In that case… yes, I suppose it would…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} But then… why was he locked up here with us instead of that other guy?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} More importantly… what does this mean as far as Caspian’s identity goes?  

 

{Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Who… who is the last profile about?

 

Fusume: This is what worries me most…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Please, look for yourself…

 

We flipped through the pages of the file, one for each of us, resuming information about how we acquire our talent and some miscellaneous information about us… I didn’t stop to check what is says about me… but I should probably do it when I have time later.

 

We got to the final page and we saw…

 

{A page of the file is seen, in the center of it a picture of a silhouette with a question mark covering it. The heading reads : Caspian, “The Caped Kidnapper to replace a student of class 80!”}

 

 

The caped kidnapper!?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Caspian was a member of our class… we know that for a fact… but if this second picture is real then… Tadao couldn’t have been Caspian could he?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Tadao… wasn’t Caspian at all? 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} If that was the case… then why would he have pretended for all that time?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I… cannot say… but something was clearly wrong with him… he made that clear on the day of his death… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Ggh!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Tadao!? What are you doing here?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Shouldn’t you be at the restaurant with everyone else?

 

Tadao: {Scared} I… I… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Tadao!

 

Tadao: {Sombre} … 

 

What’s up with him? 

 

Tadao: {Scared} F-Forgive me {Leaves} 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Tadao’s was troubled… for sure…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… Caspian’s true identity… could we have gotten it wrong…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} It appears that the caped kidnapper will remain shrouded in mystery for now…

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} So… what do we do with this information then…? And why did Monokuma give it to us?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} I bet h-he was trying to confuse us even further man! 

 

Fusume: {Confident} No… this picture… it must have some sort of significance. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I believe that figuring out this boy’s identity could be crucial to us! That’s why Monokuma gave it to us!

 

This guy’s… related to our lost memories in some way? 

 

The others raise interesting questions… if he’s a member of the 80th class like us, then why isn’t he here with us… 

 

And if that’s the case who the hell is Tadao and why did he take his place?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Everyone… we must tackle our current situation, one problem at a time! 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} None of us truly knows what’s going on outside of this resort… but before worrying about all that, we should figure out what the forces at play are here with us!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} If we are to believe the mascots… then we have the possibility to get our memories back by ourselves… that should be our goal!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} But what if those memories… turn us into killers like the other guys man?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I can only hope that this won’t happen… but we have no other choice here…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} If we take this risk… then we just might found a way out of this place

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Whoever is keeping us trapped here… they clearly want us to remember what happened to us in the past year… the information that was taken from us might explain why we were kidnapped in the first place. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I guess so… I’m just scared another one of us is… gonna die…

 

Hikari: {Softly} We’ll have to do our best to ensure that this doesn’t happen then… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You mean… that we must continue working together… after everything that’s happened?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Of course… sticking together as a group… it’s the only way for us to survive! I’m still sure of it!

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} …

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Tch… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} There’s information about our past inside the Green Building… which means that despite the horrible thing we’ve just been through… we need to continue going forward. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} That’s the only way to make sure the others didn’t die in vain… we cannot give up… for all 8 of them…

 

Shinto: So… you think we’d do well to spend the day investigating this new building huh?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Indeed… we will have all the time in the world to mourn our fallen classmates and to take care of each other once we’re out of here… but for now… we need to get to the truth!

 

Fusume: {Confident} I believe that the Green Building’s the logical starting point… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} It’s just so hard to find the energy to keep on going… after everything… 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} We don’t even know… what’s waiting for us outside… and we’ve gone through so much… 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} How do you want me… to keep on fighting under these circumstances!?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} … 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Mmph… if you need a morale boost… then I believe that this is the perfect time to get to my announcement. 

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} A-Announcement…? 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Oh that announcement… why did you wait all this time to get to it man?

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Everybody… keep on interrupting me… first Monokuma and then… all of you kept on talking… and I could not speak…

 

I feel for you on this one brother… I’ve gone through it countless times. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Let us wait no more time then… Reijiro… what is this announcement of yours? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I hope that this will raise your morale in one way or another …

 

{Close-up on Reijiro’s hand, he’s holding a USB stick} 

 

Reijiro: The last case’s victim… left this stick for us… 

 

Kôzuke: That’s… a memory stick? 

 

Fusume: Raiko… left this?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Correct.

 

Hayato: I… remember this… you said you’d take care of it… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

{Close-up on the item, it appears to be a small USB stick}

 

Hayato: That’s a memory stick!

 

Reijiro: Indeed it is… mmph, it must have been important to the victim considering she kept it in her hand even during her last moments.

 

Reijiro: One can only wonder about its contents.

 

Hayato: We don’t have to wonder! We could check its contents at the computer lab!

 

Reijiro: Hm… an intriguing idea… we shall do just that if we have sufficient time after our investigation is concluded.

 

Hayato: But… don’t you think its contents could be related to the case?

 

Reijiro: Who knows… but I will not go out of my way to research that much unless we are certain it is of importance to solving the murder.

 

Reijiro: There are more pressing matters here…

 

I… I guess he’s right.

 

Reijiro: I will keep hold of it for now…

 

Well… if we’re not going to see what’s inside the stick, I should at least make a mental note that it exists… just in case.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: I completely forgot that this stick even existed… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Raiko… left this for us?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Hm… I presume that you are about to tell us what’s actually on the stick… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Indeed… as you’ll soon notice, this flash drive… is my current source of hope. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Source… of hope? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} The stick contains a multitude of files which she got her hands on… one way or another. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Files…? What sort of files? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} The sheer number of documents on that drive… it’s impressive… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to go through the files yet… however, I did find a note… which she left for us… 

 

Raiko… left us a note?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Reijiro! Quick, read it to us!

 

{Flashback} 



{Reijiro is seated in front of a computer, red bags under both his eyes.

 

He presses a few keys, a tense look on his face before finally breathing out in satisfaction. 

 

A file with a few dozen documents is shown on the computer screen, he clicks on the document called “READ THIS FIRST”. It opens and text appears on screen}

 

If you read this… I’m probably dead. Pretty dramatic right? 

 

I know this to be true because I wouldn’t let anyone access this stick… so I write this in case something happens to me. So that the rest of you has a chance to survive. 

 

What’s on this stick is every single piece of information that I’ve gathered since we’ve got here… I won’t tell you how I got them all… but they seem reliable. So here they are… I hope they can be of some help to you. 

 

As I write this… I’m uncertain of my chances of survival… I feel like I’ve made myself the obvious target… but I guess that it’s too late to reflect on that. 

 

If I die… my first suspect would be Kenji… so look into that… but be thorough… as you always are… you can’t afford to get it wrong… we’ve been through too much to lose this close to the finish line. 

 

All this time… I thought that the only good outcome was victory… that I had to outlast you all in the killing game and win… I guess that wasn’t the optimal choice… 

 

My calculations were wrong… for the first time… in reality… my chances of survival would have been much higher if I had stuck with the group… and hadn’t antagonised you all. 

 

If I die… then I can only blame myself for that…

 

Hopefully these files will make up for the harm that I’ve done… it was never anything personal against any of you… I was just doing what I thought was best. 

 

Statistically… by working together… you can make it… you need to find another way… so that nobody else has to die… 

 

Don’t give up hope… please… I know you can make me proud… 

 

I leave this all to your collective wit… and I will now go back to my work… I’m this close to figuring out the submarine’s secret… I feel like tonight might be the night that I finally breakthrough… 

 

I hope nobody will ever read this… but if you do… don’t screw this up… make it out alive… 

 

Here’s to hoping that you’ll trust that my intentions are good this time around… 

 

Wishing you the very best. 

 

Raiko Itake

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Raiko…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Hnngh… sh-she did this… for us? 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} She… she really was changing man…

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} I… think that we can trust her…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Raiko… might give us the strength we needed… what an odd turn of events. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I cannot fathom her trying to trick us post-mortem… and from the little I have seen, the files seem genuine… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} She was clearly more informed than the rest of us… which means that the contents of this stick… they could be crucial. 

 

Fusume: {Content} I… see what you meant Reijiro… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Raiko wants us to live… for her sake… and she left us everything that she had in order to make that easier for us!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We must explore the resources she’s giving us… and most of all we must investigate the new building!

 

Fusume: {Confident} With both the clues we’ll find in the building as well as the information Raiko left us… we actually have a decent chance of discovering the truth!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} My point exactly… despite all of her previous actions… she did her all to help us after her own death… we cannot let that change of character go to waste! 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I find it hard to believe that Raiko’s really helping us… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} But if that’s the case… we need to honor her efforts man! 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} We… have to make sure her death wasn’t for nothing!

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Mhm… investigating this new building does seem to be the optimal choice in our situation…

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Let us do this… for everyone we’ve lost so far. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} G-Guys… w-we might be able to do this… even after everything that’s happened. 

 

Fusume: {Content} Thank you for this Reijiro… Raiko wanted us to keep going… and we will do just that! 

 

Reijiro: {Bows} The truth is that with this, she went out with honour… and I can only respect her final actions… 

 

Who would have thought… that Raiko would be the beacon of hope we’d need in the darkest of times… 

 

I miss her… but… I know that she’s looking at us… and wherever she is… I’ll do my best to make her proud! 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )



Kenji: {Annoyed} Tch… this is ridiculous…

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Kenji…?

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} Seriously… what’s wrong with you people!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What are you talking about?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That crazy bitch… who got literally a quarter of the group killed… you’re talking about her as if she was some sort of hero… 

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} Have you gone mad!? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes… Raiko’s done some horrible things… but we cannot ignore that by leaving us all this information, she is being a great help in our quest for the truth!

 

Kenji: {Furious} You think that a memory stick… is enough to compensate for the loss of four human lives!? You’re… you’re insane!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Nobody’s saying that it compensates anything Kenji! 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Sh-She was changing man!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Whatever… you guys… are insane… 

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} By pardoning murderers like that… you lot are just asking to be killed… y-you’re just… accepting death…

 

Kenji: {Holds head, panicked expression} I… y-you… you’ll get me killed… and… why… why can’t I remember…?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Kenji…

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} If I want to live… I need to stay… as far away from you… as possible… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} I won’t let you… bring me down with you… 

 

Kenji: {Holds head, panicked expression} I… need to… survive… {Leaves} 

 

 

Hikari: {Sad} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} D-Dammit…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} We’ll… g-get him back… if he isolates himself… he’d be putting himself in danger… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} … 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Let’s hope… it doesn’t get to that… 

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

 

Shortly after Kenji’s outburts, we all decided that it’d be best to get to investigating… we’ve spent enough time talking… and now it’s time for action. 

 

Kenji… I can’t say I understand what’s going on inside his head… but he’s slowly losing it… 

 

Fusume’s right… only bad things can happen if we let him isolate himself… hopefully we’ll manage to get him back… 

 

{Auto-move to the outside area} 

 

As much as I hate to say it… our personal problems… are not a priority right now… 

 

There’s a new building to investigate, and now more than ever, I need to make sure that my investigation is thorough… 

 

Clues about our year at Hope’s Peak will be dispersed throughout the building and finding them might be the key to finally getting out of this place… 

 

I can’t miss anything… and despite everything we’ve been through… I have to be on my A game… no matter how tired I actually am. 

 

 

I’ll have all the time in the world to rest once we’re out but for now… let’s get this investigation started!

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdSYNKNagU&t=868s)

 

 

Let’s see here… the Green Building’s the final one left… at the very East of the resort… past the Blue Building… where Raiko died…

 

I should make my way there already. I can’t waste time on regrets.

 

{Examine Green Building} 

 

When comparing this building with the other four… I feel like it’s quite a lot smaller. 

 

Similarly to the Red Building, it seems to comprise a single floor but it’s definitely not as wide as the former.

 

As the name indicates… the outside walls are painted green, it’s actually quite a nice shade. Thinking about it, the colour sort of reminds me of oak leaves.

 

Other than that, I don’t think I’ll find anything of importance on the building’s facade. 

 

I think I’d better head inside and see what this building’s all about. 

 

{Move to Green Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{The interior of the building is radically different from the outside. Instead of the earth tones of the facade, the walls seem to be made off grey metal, with large bolts in places. The floor of the building is made of glossy white square tiles. Overall, the building’s interior gives off a very futuristic vibe}

 

Damn… I definitely did not see this coming… 

 

The paint on the building facade was so gentle and calming whilst this indoor decoration seems to have been taken straight out of a bad sci-fi flick. 

 

Talk about decoration faux pas… this place is already giving me a headache.

 

Everything’s so glossy… and shiny… 

 

Oh well… I’ll have to get used to it quickly. I’m not here to judge Monokuma decoration choices after all… 

 

I’ll just make a mental note of how horrible this is… just in case I ever need to insult the bear with something. 

 

{Close-up on four metallic doors which are located at each corner of the floor.. They are respectively labelled, “Evidence Locker” ; “Gallery” ; “Security Office” and “Armoury”.Each corner of the central area has a small corridor which leads to one of these rooms. Finally, the camera zooms in to staircase which seems to lead to another floor downstairs} 

 

As I expected… we’re sticking with the theme of places that definitely do not belong in a summer resort… 

 

These sound like… stuff you’d find in a police station… or perhaps in a museum… I’m not sure… 

 

They’re definitely out of place in a resort… which means all these rooms were set up by Monokuma with a purpose in mind… 

 

I think that all of these sound promising off room titles alone. Especially the evidence locker, if there’s a room where Monokuma would hide clues… it’s probably a place like that. 

 

I’ll have to check out every nook and cranny of each of these four rooms… I’ve got the rest of the day to do so. 

 

Once I’m done, I’ll check where that staircase leads… but for now. Let’s stick with this floor!

 

Now… where to start.

 

{Move to Green Building - Armoury} 

 

{Scene opens on the armoury. The room’s quite small. Shelves covered in weapons are layered on the grey metallic walls. Across the different extremities of the room, firearms, explosives and swords are neatly stored and organised by type. Fusume is here} 

 

Hayato: What the!?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato. You’re here.

 

Hayato: Fusume… what the hell is this place?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I see you’ve come to the same conclusion as I did… this room is worrying. 

 

Hayato: Worrying!? This is just an invitation for another murder to happen! 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Indeed… the tag on the door doesn’t lie… this is an armoury all right.

 

Hayato: Do I even have to ask the obvious question? Namely what the hell is an armoury doing in a summer resort? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Monokuma likely believes that by giving us weapons we’ll be more likely to kill each other… 

 

Hayato: Yeah… in some ways, supplying us with weapons is what got Rina killed isn’t it? 


Fusume: {Hurt} I want to believe that we’re over the murders… but in the wrong hands some of these weapons could be very dangerous… 

 

Yes… especially considering how unstable some members of the group have become… 

 

I can only imagine what Kenji could do with some of the firearms here if his mental health continued to decline…

 

This room… I have a very bad feeling about it.

 

Hayato: So… what do we do?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} We obviously cannot leave this place like that… especially since it will be almost impossible to monitor whether weapons are taken out of here once the others arrive. 

 

Hayato: Are we the first people to see this? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes… I have not seen anybody else near this room… I believe that we have got some time before the others get here. 

 

Hayato: What are you thinking?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I need… to hide some of this stuff… the most dangerous weapons need to be taken care of. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} It will likely take me some time… please, take a look around and come back to me when you’re done… 

 

Fusume: Hopefully… I’ll have solved the problem by then.

 

Hayato: Alright… good luck with that I guess.

 

Fusume’s definitely right that it would be dangerous to just leave all of these weapons out in the open for the others to find. 

 

It seems basically impossible to get rid of everything in time… but I hope she’ll manage to hide the most dangerous looking stuff before the others barge in. 

 

I suppose the best thing I can do is to take a quick look around while she takes care of that.

 

{Examine Firearms shelf} 

 

Different types of guns are on display here… I can recognise a few… that’s a shotgun… and those are revolvers… I think.

 

I’ve never been too big on guns… so I’m afraid I won’t be able to get much information from these.

 

While all the boys were playing first person shooters… I was reading crime novels… I guess that explains it. 

 

And guns in this place… I think I’ve had enough of them already.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Starting with Hayato Seiki.

 

Oh god… it’s me… what weapon will I get?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Lucky you, you get…a gun. The most lethal of all weapons and probably the easiest to use.

 

A… gun?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Hey, that’s no fair, why do the boring ones get the better weapons…?

 

Monokuma: Come on Hayato, take the gun… it’s all yours.

 

I don’t want to… but I have no choice do I?

 

Slowly, my limp hands grabbed a hold of the gun, the feeling of the cold metal against my skin immediately frightening me.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Having that gun put so much pressure on me… all of that for the weapon to have been a fake the entire time… 

 

Let’s just say I’m going to stay as far as possible from the firearms… for everybody’s sake. 

 

{Examine Blades shelf}

 

This shelf is covered in all kinds of blades. Swords, knives, daggers… 

 

D-Damn… this golden katana… it looks identical to the weapon which took Yoko’s life… 

 

Monokuma continues to openly mock the dead doesn’t he… 

 

 

These could also be dangerous… but I don’t think it’s possible to hide them in time… they’re definitely too big to disappear without anyone noticing… 

 

I guess these pocket knives could be disposed of discretely… they don’t look that sharp anyway-

 

F-FUCK!

 

I’ve cut myself… what the hell was I thinking rubbing my finger on the blade… 

 

Dammit…

 

Environment 1 ; Hayato 0. 

 

I really need to start being more careful…

 

{Examine Poison shelf} 

 

This shelf’s covered in small bottles and vials… these must be poison right? 

 

 

Yeah… judging from the skulls and warning signs on all of the labels, I don’t think I want to get my hands on any of these. 

 

 

I actually know a fair share about poisons from all the research I had to go through for some of my novels.

 

Let’s see what we’re working with here… Cyanide, Arsenic, Ricin, Strychnine… 

 

D-Damn… I think I’ll have to stop right here… these are really strong poisons… 

 

One small vial of any of them would be sufficient to decimate all 8 of us… 

 

I… can only hope that nobody decides to use these… 

 

 

I’m really worried now… I should probably move on to something else before I start feeling any worse… 

 

{Examine grey box} 

 

This little box has caught my attention… I can’t tell exactly what’s in it from here… I think I should take a closer look.

 

{Zoom into the contents of the box} 

 

Aaaand… I still have no idea what I’m looking at. 

 

{Inside the box are half a dozen electrical devices which are each attached to a small brown package} 

 

Whatever these are… they look quite dangerous… 

 

Huh, there’s an instruction booklet inside the box… that’s handy.

 

“Remote Fire Starters: A blazing fire at the flick of a switch” 

 

Boy… that doesn’t sound good does it? 

 

{Flashback} 

 

{Hayato is seen standing in a dark room, fire surrounds him} 

 

This place is burning! How did I get here? Where am I?

 

… 

 

I need to get out… I need to get out!

 

??? #5 : There is no way out… you will die here. 

 

Is that… the traitor?

 

{The flames creep closer and closer to Hayato} 

 

I can’t die in here… I need to make it… I need to make it.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

That damn… nightmare… keeps on coming back to me… it feels so real… 

 

I… don’t like fire… 

 

 

Once again… these devices could create a real carnage in the wrong hands… 

 

 

Fusume's probably done by now… I should go back to her before I move on. 

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… as I feared, there are a lot of dangerous weapons in here… I have no choice but to hide the most potent objects in my room. Namely, the bullets' firearms and those explosives… these worry me especially!

 

Hayato: In your room…? Are you sure that it's safe?

 

Fusume: {Confident} As long as nobody else knows about this… we're okay… that includes Reijiro! Please, do not tell him anything about what I'm doing!

 

Hayato: You… don't trust him?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Of course I do… this is for his own safety. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Just… forget about this entirely, if you will!

 

Fusume: {Confident} I'll deal with this going forward!

 

Hayato: I'll trust you Fusume… just… don't put yourself in any unncessary danger okay?

 

Fusume: {Content} Don't worry about me!

 

How can I not be worried…? 

 

I know that she's doing it for everyone's good… but this is very dangerous… 

 

 

I'd better leave this place before I feel another urge to help her. 

 

{Move to Green Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{Move to Green Building - Evidence Locker} 

 

{Scene opens on the evidence locker. As the name suggests, white lockers are built into the walls and each individual locker is labelled with a number. In the center of the room are bookshelves filled to the brim with files and papers. At the very back of the room is a smaller chamber with a table in the center of it and few more bookshelves against the walls. The room gives off a very chaotic energy. Reijiro and Jessie are here} 

 

Hayato: Oh boy… 

 

This room… it looks like the archives if a hurricane went through it. 

 

This place is crammed with stuff… the lockers all seem full as well… 

 

 

I know one thing for sure… and it’s that the clues that Kurozo mentionned… we definitely ought to find them here. 

 

That much… might take a while though… we’re going to have to deal with this absolute mess… 

 

I can’t help but wonder… could this room be this chaotic by design…? Monokuma must have known that we’d start searching here… and the mess definitely makes our investigation much more harduous…

 

Who knows… maybe I’m just getting paranoid… 

 

Going in depth here would take too long… I want to make sure I get a good look at the other rooms here as well… I’ll have time to really dig in during the next few days. 

 

I’ll start with a superficial look around this room… and we’ll work from there. 

 

{Talk to Reijiro} 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… hello. 

 

Hayato: Hey there Reijiro. Did you find anything of interest?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} No… not yet. However, this room appears to be a real gold mine… 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} It appears that the items here are all related to us in some way… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I am now convinced that this room contains crucial information in order for us to get our memories back!

 

Hayato: I thought so… I’m glad to hear you agree!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Indeed… moreover, I believe that our investigative efforts should be focused here in the forseable future… we will need as many brains working together to get through so much information.

 

Hayato: Yeah… that makes sense. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I shall stay here for the time being… I found myself quite fascinated with the sheer amount of knowledge in a single room. 

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} Please… feel free to look around, and do report to me anything that might strike you as important!

 

Hayato: Will do!

 

Hm… I should probably let him be for now… I’m happy to hear that he agrees with me though… 

 

{Examine Bookshelves} 

 

There… is… so… much… stuff… 

 

I feel like it would take years to get through everything… these bookshelves are almost overflowing with files. 

 

At least… it’s somewhat labelled, here we have… “Official Files” ; “Hope’s Peak Files” ; “News Clippings” etc… 

 

Well… if I want to do some reading in the next few days… I know where to come. 

 

Heck, I might even find something about the tragedy while I’m at it. 

 

This… is promising!

 

{Examine Lockers} 

 

These lockers are directly built into the walls… I count at least fifty… and all of them contain some sort of piece of evidence… 

 

Knowing Monokuma, I can be pretty damn sure that a number of these will be complete red herrings… but it’s just like Reijiro said, an important clue about our past just might be hidden in plain sight.

 

Going through all of these will take a while… but I guess I can open one… just to get an idea of what sort of thing I’ll find in here. 

 

Number… 180, that’s a good round number. 

 

Let’s see…

 

{Zoom inside of the locker, a purple cape can be seen, neatly folded}

 

Th-This cape… could it be…? 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Tadao: {Head down} Y’all want the truth… {Looks up, malicious grin} Here’s the truth.

 

{Tadao takes his hood off, he attaches his scarf on his back like a cape, he pulls his sleeves up and finally he takes off his armband and uses it as a hairband, keeping his hair off his face}

 

His appearance completely changed… and his eyes…

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Sup, hope y’all recognise me better with the cape on!

 

Jessie: {Crying} T-Tadao-kun…

 

Tadao: Yeah, yeah, some people call me Caspian, the real question is…

 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} What the hell are you gonna do about it?

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

N-No… Tadao’s cape was grey… not purple…

 

But then… what is this? 

 

A purple cape… this can’t be a coincidence… can it?

 

 

I… can’t help but imagine what else I’ll find in these lockers… 

 

For now… I’d better move on. 

 

{Examine TV screen} 

 

A small TV screen is located in the far left corner of the room… it looks… somewhat out of place… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} So… you have also noticed the screen. 

 

Hayato: Yeah, do we not know what it’s for?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} No… not yet. 

 

Hayato: Hmm… I wonder what it’s doing here-

 

Monokuma: {Appears} Monokuma!!!

 

Hayato: AAAH!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Oops, didn’t mean to frighten you upupu…

 

Hayato: D-Don’t you know it’s rude to barge in screaming like that!?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Screaming your own name… if I might add.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Yes, yes I know… HAHA snarky dialogue HAHA! What complex characters you two are!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What are you… talking about?

 

Hayato: Yeah… you’re already getting kind of annoying Monokuma, why don’t you speak your piece and get lost?

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Is that a way to talk to your director?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Meh, I am a magnanimous bear, I shall let that pass. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} I am here to enlighten you as far as this screen goes!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Oh, yes…  please do so. 

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} This screen has been added last minute as a little bonus for you bastards! 

 

Monokuma: I can’t expect y’all to get to the bottom of this without a little help from yours truly… that’s why every day starting from tomorrow at 10 PM, you’ll be graced with a new episode of the Monokuma Bulletin! ™ 

 

Hayato: Monokuma… bulletin?

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} Correct! This bulletin will be a short daily segment that will contain a short clue concerning your missing memories!


Reijiro: {Glare} You fiend… you’d do… something like that?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} H-Hey! What are you getting so scary for!? I’m helping you guys here!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… I see… very well. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I trust that you will inform our classmates of this… generous feature!

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} But of course! I don’t want anyone to miss such an opportunity!

 

Hayato: R-Right, thanks Monokuma… I think that’ll be all!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Alrighty, you know where to find me if I’m needed! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Don’t miss tomorrow’s bulletin, will ya? {Disappears} 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… how… intriguing. 

 

Reijiro’s reaction… it’s kind of confusing me… I’m not sure if he was happy or not to hear about this bulletin…

 

I think it’s pretty good news… as long as Monokuma doesn’t lie to us that is… 

 

Reijrio: {Smug} But… what if…

 

He looks pretty deep in thought… I should leave him be for now. 

 

{Talk to Jessie} 

 

I… I’m not sure… talking to Jessie now’s a good idea… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Jessie: {Sad} You got it wrong Hayato-kun… there’s no way around it!

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} Oriana-chan… is innocent and that’s that!

 

Jessie: {Wiping tears} Y-You… you want evidence right…? I’ll… uh… I’ll find something! S-Something must be wrong… somewhere… 

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} Wh-What about the clamp’s positioning! You haven’t explained that! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} The clamp was in the air… a good two meters away from dock… it’s impossible for Oriana-Cham to have reached it!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Even If she jumped… after dropping the submarine she would be hanging in mid air all that way from the dock… it would be even more impossible to get back!

 

Jessie: {Slams fists on podium} Not only Oriana-chan… in fact… your theory contains a huge hole!

 

Jessie: {Clenches fist, desperate expression} Nobody could have reached the clamp to drop the submarine… which means you must be wrong! Oriana-chan must be innocent!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Oriana-chan…

 

Oriana: {Heartfelt smile} Good luck everyone… looks like you’ll have all the fun without me now… 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} I can only hope that I did enough… 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} IT’S PUNISHMENT TIME!

 

Jessie: {Horrified} NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

 

Oriana: {Dark glare} Don’t let it all go to waste… all of our work!

 

Oriana: {Heartfelt smile} Looks like I’ve reached the end of the line… finally…

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Oriana’s death was particularly hard on her seeing as she trusted her… deeply so. 

 

She hasn’t said a word since then… and I can’t say that I blame her. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} …

 

I think it’s better to give her some time… I don’t want to make things harder for her… 

 

I’ll check in on her later… that seems wiser.

 

 

As much as I’d like to open every single one of those lockers… I think it’d be better for me to move one to another one of these rooms… I don’t want to miss anything… 

 

I’ll be back here soon enough… that much seems inevitable.

 

 

Now… where do I go next?

 

{Move to Green Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{Move to Green Building - Gallery} 

 

{Scene opens in the gallery. The room is the largest in the building. It is set up like an art gallery, with different objects displayed inside glass cases while pictures can be seen on the walls. A red carpet covers the floor. Kenji and Kôzuke are here. 

 

Hmm… I’m not sure I know what this room’s supposed to be. It looks like it belongs in a museum or something. 

 

Monokuma made this place… so I’m going to assume that what we’ll find here will just be some egocentrical bullshit. 

 

Those glass cases would make anything look fancy-

 

H-Hey… wait! Inside that case… is that…

 

It can’t be… h-how…

 

I need to take a closer look!

 

{Examine Glass case} 

 

There’s no mistaking it… that’s my Naoki Prize… 

 

{Zoom inside of the glass case, a white certificate can be seen inside of it. The writing’s illegible but the name Hayato Seiki can be deciphered at the very bottom}

 

It says my name and everything… the bastard stole my Naoki Prize… the award that every Japanese author would kill to get their hands on…  

 

Why is this here…? Why me? 

 

W-Wait… don’t tell me that all those objects on display… 

 

Are they all ours? 

 

 

Kyia’s parkour trophy…

 

Kôzuke’s grand prix cup…

 

Jessie’s picture at the United Nations…

 

Rina’s oil painting portrait…

 

 

{Back to normal} 


These… are all ours… but why!?

 

Is this Monokuma’s idea of a joke?

 

He stole… our prized possessions… and put them on display in his stupid gallery…

 

That’s it… I’m pissed off… that bastard’s got no limits…

 

I… I need to cool down… 

 

{Examine Window} 

 

Y-Yeah, that’s right… some fresh air will do me some good

 

Just got to open it wide and-

 

*WIIIIUIIIIIIUUUUIIIU*

 

What the fuck!?

 

 

I… I think it’s over…

 

Can’t I just… catch a break for once in my life?

 

 

That alarm started ringing once I opened the window… could it be that…

 

{Zoom on the bottom edge of the window, a small white device can be seen}

 

Is this… some sort of sensor? It’s got a tiny screen, what if I press this button…

 

{“Last opened, 16:17” appears on screen}

 

16:17… that’s just now… 

 

Huh… I see… so this sensor records when the window was last opened… 

 

It’s a small gadget… but I guess it could come to be useful. 

 

{Talk to Kôzuke} 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} H-Hey man… you’ve noticed right…? What this room is?

 

Hayato: Yes, I have… Monokuma’s stolen our prized possessions. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I can’t believe he’d take my cup like that… without even asking for my permission… can you believe him?

 

Hayato: I mean… I think it’d likely be more surprising if he did ask you for your permission… don’t you think?

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} Mhm… I guess so… 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Still… it m-makes me angry that he’s taken it like that… I really cherish that cup… first grand prix I’ve won… 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I… I want it back!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} If only I wasn’t such a coward… then maybe…

 

Hayato: Kôzuke… you’re no coward…

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} You can say that… but you don’t know man…

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I don’t know many things… but I know what I am!

 

 

Kôzuke… I wish there was some way to increase his sense of self-worth… 

 

An idea’s like a disease isn’t it? Once it’s spread in his head… it’s going to be very hard to get it out of there. 

 

{Talk to Kenji} 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Don’t… even… think about it…

 

H-Hey! I haven’t even started my inner monologue about how worried I was about him!

 

Hayato: K-Kenji…

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} You better… stay away from me… if you know what’s good for your health!

 

Hayato: Is that… a threat!?

 

Kenji: {Furious} It’s a warning… I ain’t afraid… to do what must be done… 

 

Kenji: {Holds head, panicked expression} I… need… to remember… and… escape…

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} W-Will you be my ticket out of here… Hayadog?

 

Okay… I think that I’d better get out of here… fast… 

 

Hayato: I’ll see you around…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I don’t think so…

 

 

Not much else to see here… this room just straight up angers me

 

I’ll get my Naoki back… one way or another…

 

 

My pride aside… I think the real worrying thing is how unstable both Kenji and Kôzuke seem to be… 

 

One of them’s clearly more concerning than the other… but I should keep my eyes on both… just in case. 

 

 

Now that we’re done here… one more room to go… let’s hope it’s a good one. 

 

{Move to Green Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{Move to Green Building - Security Office} 

 

{Scene opens in the security office, it’s a very small room with a few computer monitors laid on a shabby looking desk, two desk chairs are positionned in front of it. On the other side of the room, a fancy looking coffee machine can be seen in front of a small shelf. Hikari and Shinto are here.}

 

This room’s the smallest of the bunch. It gives off quite a claustrophobic sensation if I’m honest. 

 

I… don’t feel too comfortable here… I guess I’ll make it quick. 

 

{Examine Monitors} 

 

The three monitors are each separated in smaller subdivisions showing what I assume are the footage from the different cameras around the building. 

 

Most of the Green Building’s corridor’s as well as outside area can be seen here… as well as a room called… “The Vault” 

 

I… don’t know what that’s referring to. 

 

The other rooms on this floor… don’t seem to be accounted for… that’s odd to say the least. 

 

Well… either way, I suppose it’s good to be able to keep an eye on what’s going on around here… 

 

This’ll be helpful if we ever need to track someone down… or worse.

 

{Talk to Hikari} 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Good afternoon, Hayato. 

 

Hayato: Hi Hikari!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} This is the security office… we can find live camea feed from different cameras in and out of the green building. 

 

Hayato: You’ve done your research I see. 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} C’mon Hayato… anybody could have figured that out by simply taking a look around the room. 

 

I… was just trying to compliment her…

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Either way… this office seems like it could come to be useful in a few different ways. 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} It might be a good idea to have somebod stationed out here on the daily… just in case. 

 

Hayato: Isn’t that… a bit extreme?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I don’t know… is it!?

 

Hayato: I’m not sure anymore… 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} We’d better be cautious… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I don’t think I could take… losing anybody else. 

 

Hayato: Neither could I Hikari… neither could I…

 

{Examine Coffee Machine} 

 

This machine… looks super complicated… what happened to the good old days of simply using a pot to make your coffee… 

 

I prefered when things were analog… all this technology confuses me… 

 

They don’t have tea in here… do they?

 

Of course not… 

 

I cannot have good things in life. 

 

Hikari: {Smile} Would you like a tutorial on how this machine works Hayato?

 

Hayato: Yeah… I guess that would be useful. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Kurozo’s come here to explain stuff earlier… I was just as confused as you were before he did so. 

 

Hikari: Let’s see if I remember correctly.

 

{Zoom on the machine} 

 

Hikari: Ok so… to order a cup you’ve got to scan your Resident ID right here, and press on the desired button.

 

Hikari: The order will be delivered almost instantly.

 

Hayato: Seems simple enough… 

 

Hikari: Hold your horses, this is where it gets complex.

 

Hikari: When you’ve made an order, the room’s door will lock itself automatically. 

 

Hayato: Wh-What!? Why would it do that?

 

Hikari: It forces you to drink the coffee in here, the only way to open the door is to place your empty cup back into the machine and scan your ID again. 

 

Hikari: All that in an attempt to avoid littering… apparently. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: What… the hell…?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Yeah… it all seems a bit excessive… but I guess some people will be ready to go through all that trouble for a cup of coffee. 

 

Hayato: Would you?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Nah, I don’t like coffee, never have. 

 

Hayato: I… I see… 

 

It really tells you a lot about Hikari that she showed this much passion talking about a machine she’ll likely never use. 

 

{Talk to Shinto} 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Hm… I wonder… 

 

Hayato: Hey Shinto, what are you thinking about?

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Hello… I’m just thinking about this whole memory hiding thing… just trying to understand how it works. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We all thought that those memories were stolen from us… right?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} But apprently they’re still there? And we just… don’t have access to them? I’m not sure I understand.

 

Hayato: Yeah… it’s all a bit shaky for me too… 

 

Hayato: To do anything like that… they’d need technology which I didn’t even know existed… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Also… there’s the question of why they’d take our memories and then force us to get them back after that… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} It’s all very confusing stuff.

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} I just need… to understand what’s going on… and escape… 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I made a promise to Yoko… and… I intend to keep it… 

 

Poor Shinto… 

 

Despite all he’s been through… I can’t help but admire him for the way he turned his sadness into determination… 

 

I hope that he can make Yoko proud… wherever she is…

 

 

I can’t see anything else that’s noteworthy in this office. 

 

This room will definitely be useful in monitoring everyone… however I don’t know if we should go as far as making someone stay here everyday like Hikari suggested… 

 

I’ll have to talk it through with the others I guess. 

 

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The monitor in the security office turns on} 

 

Monokuma: Good evening students! Did you miss me?

 

Monokuma: No need to answer! I know it’s a resounding yes from all of you!

 

Monokuma: Now… as a token of your love for me… I’m gonna need everybody to meet in the Green Building’s basement… as fast as you can.

 

Monokuma: You all know the drill, yada yada yada, if you don’t show up you die… the usual. 

 

Monokuma: Make it fast y’all! Toodles for now. 

 

{The monitor turns off} 

 

As insufferable as ever I see… 

 

The basement huh? That’s the only place I haven’t visited here in this building… I guess that’s my chance to do so. 

 

No need to waste time… I’ll likely get in trouble if I’m late.

 

Let’s get going. 

 

{Auto-move to Green Building - Basement} 

 

{Scene opens in the basement, it is almost empty, except for a large cube-shaped object covered by a huge green cloth at the back of the room. In the far edge of the room, a large crane can be seen. Everybody is here.}

 

What… is this place?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} It looks like all 8 of you are here… perfect! Let’s get this show on the road!

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed, stroking trunk} For the love of everything that’s holy… do not stretch this out any longer than necessary.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} It’s getting late… why did you bring us here?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Seriously… can we catch a break man?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’m seriously tired… after everything that happened yesterday. 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Yes, yes… don’t worry I’ll let you go in a jiffy. I don’t need long. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You do not need long to do what exactly? 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Unravel… your latest motive of course!

 

What…!?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} A new motive… already?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} N-No…!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Man… y-you can’t!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Of course, I can! 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} This killing’s game’s slowly reaching it’s conclusion… which means we need to keep up the pace in order for this to stay interesting!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Interesting to whom exactly?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} …

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Well, to me of course! What a silly question!

 

He seemed oddly flustered right before he answered that question… 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} There’s nothing we can do is there? You’ll give us this new motive regardless?

 

Monokuma: That’s right! You don’t get a word remember?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} If that’s the case… then tell us what it is now! 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Impatient much?

 

Monokuma: I get it… I’d be eager if I were in your place.

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} Now… without further ado… I present to you, your new motive…

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIn1bhBEbng )

 

{Monokuma jumps towards the cube and lifts the cloth to reveal a huge metallic vault}

 

Monokuma: Tadaaaaa! Here it is! Ain’t she a beauty!?

 

Kôzuke: Is that…

 

Shinto: A vault!!?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Monokuma… explain yourself!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} How… d-does this constitute a motive?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Rejioice… children, as I shall explain everything!

 

I’m so confused… 

 

Monokuma: You see… I was inspired by my colleague’s fine work with the submarine motive… 

 

Monokuma: That motive was… very elegant… the promise of freedom pushed one of you to murder… without ever directly threatening you or putting you under some sort of mental pressure… I love that. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} You talk about it… like it was an art piece.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Oh but… a good motive is art my friend… don’t you forget that. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You’re saying that you were inspired by Kurozo’s motive?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} If we want to be precise… then it should be mentioned that I am the one who designed this motive.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} What!?

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing} Everything had already been planned… I just wasn’t counting on Monokuma’s return… and I suppose he could not be bothered in elaborating a new motive!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Oh… I see. 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Shut up… shut up!

 

Monokuma: It might have been Kurozo’s idea… but I’ve made it mine! This motive is Monokuma through and through. 

 

Kurozo: Sure…

 

{Monokuma poses next to the safe} 

 

Monokuma: Check out this beauty once more… 100% titanium… absolutely unbreachable! 

 

Monokuma: There’s only one key… and I’ve got it right here with me!

 

Monokuma: One thing’s for sure… and that’s that nobody’s opening this baby without my approval!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Okay… you haven’t told us one thing though… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Wh-Why would we want to open this vault?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Y-Yeah, who cares if it’s impenetrable man! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Oh but… you care! That’s the beauty of this motive!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What are you talking about?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What are… the contents of that vault?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Simple… inside the safe… you’ll find all the information you want about your missing memories! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Everything we’ve taken from you… it’s right there in the files!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Wh-What!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} No… way!!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You’ve got to be joking man!!!

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} And now… you see why that vault should be opened!

 

Inside that vault… is all the information that’s been taken from us?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} All of the questions you’ve had since you arrived… the answers are inside the vault!

 

Monokuma: Pretty neat right?

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} How… do we open… the safe? 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Oh come on… you know the answer to that question, don’t you?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You don’t mean… 

 

Monokuma: But of course… all you need to do to get this safe open… is to murder one of your classmates!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} …

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} … 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} … 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} N-No… 

 

Kenji: {Furious} I knew it… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} One teeny tiny murder… in exchange for all the information in the world! Isn’t that fair?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Please note that once a murder is committed, the vault will be open for everyone to see! It’s a collaborative effort of sorts! 

 

Monokuma: {Curious} You could even work as a team to murder a member of the group you don’t really like… but then again that would make the class trial quite a mess wouldn’t it?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} A murder… for our memories?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You… you fiend… 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} To help you in your quest, a reward system similar to Kurozo’s will also be put into place… whoever gets close to getting their memories back by themselves will earn a little bonus which might help them… 

 

Monokuma: The Monokuma Bulletin will also be there to help you in that regard

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Still… don’t let those little things distract you from the real prize! The vault!

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} Opening that vault… takes a murder…

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Also, before any of you asks, I have no idea what that crane is for. Kurozo’s the one who installed it there. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Can’t we just… ask him?

 

Monokuma: BORING! That’s all I hear! The crane’s pointless… it makes a ton of noise… and isn’t good for anything. 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} It’s a good thing that this room’s soundproof… 

 

Hayato: It’s… soundproofed?

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} Yes! I thought that it’d be a nice touch… in case one of you wants to commit their murder inside this very room… would be quite poetic… wouldn’t it?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} N-No… it wouldn’t…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You really think… that one of us would make that choice… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )



Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I don’t think… I know!

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} Either way… That’s it for me! You’ve got all the information you need to get to the bottom of this whole thing!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} But then again… why go through all the trouble of racking your brain when you can open the vault… and get the truth directly that way!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} I’ll leave you all to ponder on that!

 

Monokuma: And with that killer punchline… Monokuma vanishes into the quiet night! {Disappears} 

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed, strokes trunk} *Sigh* When will that fool stop narrating his own actions. 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Farewell students! {Disappears}

 

 

{Screen fades to black}

 

Both mascots left… and we all stayed there… silent, dumbfounded… 

 

None of us knew what to say… and so we decided to reconvene in the morning… hoping that the night would help us understand what had just transpired. 

 

Just as I was leaving however… I think I heard someone speaking… a deep… raspy voice. 

 

Kenji: {Mumbling} I’ll do it… I’ll fucking do it… I’ll… do… it… 

 

 

 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

We’ve just come out of a grueling trial… and yet… here we are with a new motive. 

 

Luckily for us… this motive won’t affect us physically or mentally like the first few did… but… it’s still very dangerous.

 

Monokuma’s taunted us about our lost memories all day… and now he’s made it so that we might get everthing back…

 

All it takes is murder…

 

I won’t give in… I can’t give in… 

 

But… how do I know that none of the others might do so?

 

I… have to be hopful… I can’t just give up… let the despair consume me… 

 

 

How… do I stay hopeful…? How do I do it? I… 

 

I can’t let the others down… but I just don’t know what to do anymore…

 

I’m… lost…

 

 

Feeling that my emotions were about to get the better of me, I climbed into bed… and tried to relax. 




After a few tormented hours… I finally fell into a deep sleep. 

 

Monokuma Theater

 

Monokuma: Hot damn! It feels good to be back! 

 

Monouma: Can you believe how boring that elephant dude was? He completely ruined the segment! 

 

Monokuma: That’s the thing with replacements… they’ll never be as good as the original. 

 

Monokuma: Why hire someone new, when you know that they are incapable of truly replacing their predecessor?

Monokuma: If a talented person leaves your company… just close off their branch… if you look for a replacement then you’ll always end up disappointed! 

 

Monokuma: Or better… if you have the resources! Just clone your best workers! That way you’ll never run out of talent… no matter the circumstances!

 

Monokuma: Take me for instance… I am absolutely irreplaceable… no one can come close to beating me!

 

Monokuma: That’s why for the good of the killing game, I will never again be replaced by anybody!

 

Monokuma: Factories are assembling thousands of copies of myself just as we speak… so that we never run out of me!

 

Monokuma: It’s just like I said… I have infinite clones… which means I can’t be replaced again… but if that sombre day was to come… I won’t let that elephant fucker ruin the show again… 

 

Monokuma: We’ll just have to shut down the whole operation… permanently. 

 

 

Monokuma: This has been the Monokuma Theater! Your daily dose of fun and jokes! See you tomorrow for our analysis on the death of a loved one!







Notes:

The new motive is already out! Will one of the students give in to the promise of their precious memories? Read on to find out!

As usual, please leave your thoughts, theories and feedback in the comment or on the discord, it always means a lot to me!

Like I've said above, these updates will be slightly longer but I'll do my best to get them out on schedule (bi-weekly) at least until the trial.

Next chapter will include some of the last free time events of the fic vote for your faves here : https://www.strawpoll.me/20703697 (I'm also interested to hear if anybody would like to see a school mode type thing when the fic is done where I'd post the remaining free time events so if you've got thoughts please share!)

Thanks again for reading and for sticking along for such a long time! We're almost done and I'm going to do my best to make these last few chapters as good as I can!

I'll see you in the next one everyone ;)

Chapter 54: Chapter 5 : Monokuma Presents "The Greatest Heist" : Daily Life part 2

Notes:

Sorry for the slight delay, DR: AD is back!

Chapter 5 continues with more revelations!

Free time events go to Kôzuke and Fusume this time around!

Enjoy :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a jacuzzi, holding some sort of cocktail glass in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Gooood Morning! This is your director speaking, it’s now 8:00 AM! Look out the window, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. A perfect weather to kill wouldn’t you say?

 

Get ready for a spectacular day everyone!

 

 

D-Dammit… it’s morning already?

 

My head feels like I’ve been hit with a ton of bricks.

 

Thinking about it… it took me quite a while to fall asleep last night… I guess that explains the headache. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What are… the contents of that vault?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Simple… inside the safe… you’ll find all the information you want about your missing memories! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Everything we’ve taken from you… it’s right there in the files!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Wh-What!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} No… way!!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You’ve got to be joking man!!!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} And now… you see why that vault should be opened!

 

Inside that vault… is all the information that’s been taken from us?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} All of the questions you’ve had since you arrived… the answers are inside the vault!

 

Monokuma: Pretty neat right?

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} How… do we open… the safe? 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Oh come on… you know the answer to that question, don’t you?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You don’t mean… 

 

Monokuma: But of course… all you need to do to get this safe open… is to murder one of your classmates!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Monokuma… and his stupid fucking motive… I can’t seem to get it all out of my mind… 

 

We’ve faced much tougher motives.

 

This isn’t as new as those first videos… 

 

It isn’t as pressuring as the pairs and weapons…

 

Not as damaging as the emotion machine…


Not as deceitful as the submarine…

 

And yet… 

 

I’m terrified. 

 

 

There are only 8 of us left… and after everything we’ve been through… some of us have reached their breaking point… 

 

The stakes are so damn high… we simply can’t afford to lose anybody else. 

 

 

Such a simple motive… and yet…

 

Someone’s going to give in… I can just feel it.

 

I don’t know who… I don’t know when… 

 

I just know it… 

 

And I don’t know what I’m supposed to do to stop it… 

 

 

 

 

D-Dammit… this mindset won’t get me anywhere!

 

I have to meet with everyone… there must be something I can do… 

 

 

My head hurts… even more thinking about it all. 

 

I’ll just get ready for now.

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

I took a hot shower, put some clothes on and left my room.

 

{Auto-move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Talk to Kôzuke} 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Good morning man… you don’t look too good. 

 

Hayato: Oh uh… thanks… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I don’t mean that you look ugly I just meant… th-that you look tired y’know!

 

Kôzuke: Your face looks just like it always does!

 

Hayato: I… I see… no misunderstanding then. My face isn’t the problem.

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} R-Right! There’s nothing wrong with your face Hayato man seriously!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m not into dudes or anything so I guess I don’t really have an opinion anyway…

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} S-So yeah! You have a very normal face Hayato! Is that what you wanted to hear?

 

Hayato: Well… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I should stop talking shouldn’t I? Y-Yeah… I’ll just stop talking. 

 

Hayato: I’ll see you in the restaurant Kôzuke. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} R-Right… {Leaves} 

 

Well… that’s my self-confidence diminished for the day…

 

I’m sure he didn’t mean it… 

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume:{Dozing off} …zzzzzz… 

 

That sleeping while standing habit’s come back I see… 

 

Fusume: …zzz…

 

I can’t blame her… she’s gone through the same hardships that the rest of us have… but with so much added pressure. 

 

Reijiro and her have tried their very best to keep the group united… and despite their efforts, everything’s just gotten worse and worse. I can’t imagine what that’s like for them. 

 

I want to take some of that weight off their shoulders… let them know that we’re with us… but I just don’t quite know how to do that yet… they’re so focused on their duties that they forget that… they’re just kids… like the rest of us

 

 

I should just let her sleep for now… I think that she’s deserved it.

 

 

Let’s just hope that she finds a way to make it to the restaurant… just don’t ask me how. 

 

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor} 

 

{Move to Restaurant} 

 

{Scene opens in the restaurant, everyone but Kenji and Jessie are here} 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Good morning everyone.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… yes, I hope you are all rested.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I guess that I’m as well as I can possibly be… considering the situation that we’re in… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Yes… the latest motive is bad news… but we cannot give in to it. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Of course, you’d say that… but it’s empty isn’t it?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} K-Kôzuke… why would you say that?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I’m sorry man… it’s just that… that sort of thing’s easier to say than to do isn’t it? 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} I obviously don’t want anybody else to die man… we’ve lost too many friends… but they took everything from us… and now they’re offering to give it back…

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} How do we know that none of us will crack!?

 

 

As much as I hate the idea of it… Kôzuke’s got a point… we can’t know that for sure…

 

Hikari: {Sad} Kôzuke…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I’m sorry guys… I don’t mean to be defeatist but… with the state of the group as it is… this really feels like a lost cause… 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I really want to be proved wrong… but I don’t buy it man!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Jessie… and Kenji… are definitely loose cannons at the moment. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} M-Maybe so… but they are no lost causes!

 

Hayato: What do you mean by that?

 

Fusume: {Confident} They’ve both been through severe emotional trauma… they need our help!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Jessie I can agree with… but Kenji’s too far gone. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Is he really though? The main reason for Kenji feeling this way is that we’ve been treating him as a madman for the last week!

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Well… he has been acting like a madman… so that’s on him!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} We don’t know what’s going on inside his head… his mental health’s taken a toll… this isn’t the Kenji we know!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Don’t you remember…? The goofy guy we met all those days ago…? That’s Kenji… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Then… I guess the guy we now live with is what’s left of him…

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} … 

 

Kenji…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Tarzan look alike: {Cracking fists} What the fuck took you so long! Oh, I see Mr Sleepyhead woke up.

 

Hayato: Yeah, that’s me! Sorry I kept you waiting I guess?

 

Tarzan look alike: {Snickers} You should thank the guy who got you from the floor to your bed, you looked fucking pathetic crumbled on the floor.

 

Oh, thank you?

 

Hayato: R-right right thanks. You must be Kenji then, I presume.

 

Kenji: {Scratches Head with playful smile} In person, I’m Kenji Kimata, THE ULTIMATE SURVIVOR!!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

He’s changed so much… but Fusume’s right… the Kenji we know isn’t gone… he must be there… somewhere.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… giving up on these… “loose cannons” can only lead to two things… their deaths, or ours. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Isolation… is a dangerous thing.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Bringing the two of them back into the group should be our priority… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} And how are we supposed to do that exactly? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Jessie’s trust was betrayed by her closest friend in the resort… and then that same friend was executed right in front of her… she’s obviously been scarred by that.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} We’ve given her some time… but I think what she needs right now is a friend… a real one… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} She likely won’t open up too easily… but I believe that it’s the only thing we can do for her… if we leave her alone for too long… then we might lose her completely. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} If it’s a friend she needs… then I’ll do it! 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I’ll do my best at least… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… yes… I believe that you are the best fit for this role… with your help, we just might get her to come back to us. 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} The pressure’s on me I guess… 

 

If anybody can convince Jessie that she belongs with us… it’s Hikari. 

 

She’s the heart of the group… I just hope that she can do enough. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Jessie could be talked to… but what about Kenji man? What are you intending to do with him?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We can’t just send someone to negotiate with him… he’s too dangerous for that. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You think he’d be capable of… murder?

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} I don’t know what I think… but I agree that he’s likely the most fragile mentally here…

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} If anyone’s to crack at this motive… it’s him. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} D-Dammit… man… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} …

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Be that as it may… I still believe that something can be done…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Either to make him come back to us… or to make sure he shan’t harm anyone… himself included.

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} And you want to do that… how? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I have a plan… I think. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} A plan?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} The details still need to be refined… but I shall share it with you all when the time comes.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Yeah… well you better be fast… I don’t know how much time we have until… something happens. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Please… don’t say that sort of stuff. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} It’s… the truth…

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} So… if Hikari’s going to take care of Jessie and Reijiro takes time to hatch his… “master plan”, what are the rest of us supposed to do?

 

Fusume: {Confident} We must not forget about Jessie and Kenji… but our priority should be to continue our investigation of the green building…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Unless somebody decided to keep information away from the group… it appears that we are yet to make any kind of breakthrough as far as our memories go… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} That is why we must keep our objective in mind… we need to uncover the clues that Monokuma left for us… or the truth will be kept from us… and lost forever. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Does that mean… you believe that this tragedy really did happen?

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} The outside world… is it really gone?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It’s impossible for any of us to know that for sure… that’s why we need to understand what happened through investigation… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Blindly pointing fingers… and doubting the information we’ve been given won’t get us anywhere. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The tragedy might have happened… or perhaps it has not… truth is that this matters very little as we stand. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} It… doesn’t?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Not really… before we worry about what awaits us outside… we must fix our issues inside. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} That begins with getting our lost memories back!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} More investigating then… I see. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} If anybody finds something of use… tell the others! Don’t keep things for yourself!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} If we are to make it out of here… it’s as a group! Not as individuals…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What she is trying to say… is that using any information as a mean to act selfishly and to attempt to escape… will end in failure.

 

Hikari: {Sad} You’re talking about Oriana right?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Oriana was incentivised to act by her newly recovered memories… but yes, she understood the secret of the submarine and kept us in the dark in order to hatch a murder plan…

 

Fusume: {Pulls on hair} I can only beg you… not to make the same mistakes she made… 

 

Fusume {Dark look} It will not end well… for anybody involved.

 

Reijiro: The past four trials should have made it obvious to everyone here that if a murder is committed… the blackened will be found and will die.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I believe you all understand that trying such a thing would be foolish.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Yeesh… no need to get this menacing man… we get it.

 

Shinto {Frowns} I think they’re right to make that clear… I don’t want to lose anybody else.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Then… we’ll investigate… to the best of our capacity.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I will spend the day in the evidence locker… I want to get a good look at all the files and news clippings that are on display there…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Of course, I’ll keep you all posted on my discoveries… but it’ll take time to make progress.

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, points with finger} In that case… let me help you. 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Shinto?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} I’m tired of just waiting and twiddling my thumbs… I promised Yoko I’d make it out of there… 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane} So… it’s time for me to actually do something!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I see… your help will be very appreciated.

 

Fusume: {Content} With the two of us working together… I’m sure we’ll find something!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… while you two do that, I shall take a closer look into the flash drive that was left for us by the previous victim. 


Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} She said that there were files about the academy among the things she left us… perhaps something about the tragedy or about our class will be mentioned.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I believe that this will be the optimal use of my time for the day… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Perfect… the rest of you… you know what to do. Anything could be important so try to be thorough!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Will do!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’ll try man… 

 

Hayato: You can count on me.

 

There’s still so much we are yet to find in this building… I just know it. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Let us meet at 10 AM in the evidence locker. 

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} At… 10?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Correct… we do not want to miss Monokuma’s Bulletin… it could contain an important clue after all. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Oh… that…

 

{Flashback} 

 

 Monokuma: {Excited} I am here to enlighten you as far as this screen goes!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Oh, yes…  please do so. 

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} This screen has been added last minute as a little bonus for you bastards! 

 

Monokuma: I can’t expect y’all to get to the bottom of this without a little help from yours truly… that’s why every day starting from tomorrow at 10 PM, you’ll be graced with a new episode of the Monokuma Bulletin! ™ 

 

Hayato: Monokuma… bulletin?

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} Correct! This bulletin will be a short daily segment that will contain a short clue concerning your missing memories!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You fiend… you’d do… something like that?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

I… had forgotten about that… will we really find something of importance in that bulletin? Or is this just another of Monokuma’s ploys… I guess we’ll have to be there to find out. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Don’t be late… and make good use of your time until then… 

 

Fusume: {Content} If there are no further remarks… I’ll see you all for the bulletin!

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

The meeting over, we all decided to leave the restaurant for the time being. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

 

 

 

Well… I obviously can’t stay here all morning… I should go and investigate. 

 

Maybe I’ll find someone to hang out with along the way… 

 

Either way, I need to find something to do!

 

{Free time starts}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdSYNKNagU )

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Green Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{Move to Green Building - Gallery} 

 

{Scene opens on the gallery, Kôzuke is here} 

 

{Talk to Kôzuke} 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Good morning man… I thought I’d start by taking a look at this room…

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} B-But… it’s just kinda making me mad… I can’t believe they stole our stuff like that!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} You’re welcome to… help me calm down… if that doesn’t bother you too much… 

 

Do I want to hang out with Kôzuke?

 

{Yes/No}

 

Kôzuke: {Happy} A-Alright…! T-Time flies by when you’re with a friend!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} That’s not… how the saying goes is it?

 

 

I spent the morning searching through the gallery with Kôzuke. Most of what we found were simply possessions of the different members of the group exposed like they were valuable artworks. 

 

Every so often I had to intervene in order for Kôzuke not to get mad at Monokuma for stealing his trophies. 

 

Is it insulting if I find it cute when he gets mad? He’s a real softie…

 

 

It wasn’t the most fruitful investigation I’ve been a part of… but I did get to spend the morning with Kôzuke… and I think we both enjoyed it. 

 

I think we got a bit closer. 

 

 

Every so often, Kôzuke would stop talking and the silence would get somewhat awkward… I guess I should say something. 

 

Hayato: So tell me-

 

Kôzuke:{Grasps medals} A-AH!

 

What was that!?

 

Hayato: Did something happen…?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} N-No sorry man… you just startled me is all. 

 

Hayato: Oh… my bad then. 

 

He is quite jumpy… I guess I should try not to speak loudly when he doesn’t expect it.

 

Kôzuke: I know what you’re thinking man… It really looks like I’m scared of every little thing huh?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You must really think that… I’m a coward. 

 

Wait… what?

 

Hayato: N-No! I didn’t say that!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You don’t need to say it… I know that everybody thinks that of me… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} And in a way… they aren’t wrong. 

 

Does he really think that little of himself…? 

 

Hayato: Why would you think that Kôzuke? 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Isn’t it obvious…? From the way I act and everything? 

 

Kozuke: {Worried} How would people not come to that conclusion? I… really do act like a coward… basically all the time. 

 

Hayato: I… don’t think that’s true. 

 

Kozuke. {Angry tears} Th-that means… that you didn’t pay attention to the way I’ve acted man… seriously… I’m like… scared of everything.

 

Hayato: But you’re not though… the fact that you’re easily startled doesn’t make you a coward

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} …

 

I’m not convincing him… I need to think of something different… 

 

Hayato: The proof that you’re not actually scared of everything… it’s:

 

    1. Your personality
    2. Your talent
    3. Your behaviour in the resort



Hayato: Just think of your talent Kôzuke… you’re the Ultimate F1 Driver aren’t you?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I… I am… so what!? 

 

Hayato: Well… how can you say that everything scares you when your very talent is such a high adrenaline sport?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I don’t see where you’re going… formula one races… aren’t scary. 

 

Hayato: And that’s my point exactly… they aren’t scary to you… because you’re brave enough to overcome that sensation. 

 

Hayato: Trust me… if you put me in one of these racecars I’d be absolutely terrified.

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} R-Really? 

 

Hayato: Of course… just being a passenger in a car going at that sort of speed would freak me out… so imagine driving one. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But… it’s really not that scary man… 

 

Hayato: To you it isn’t… because you’re really brave in that sense. 

 

Kôzuke:{Looks to side} I guess… I really hadn’t thought of it that way… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} That doesn’t change the fact… that I’d like to try to be braver… in situations that don’t necessarily occur inside a racecar…

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I guess that in that sort of situation… some people might be scared… by the speed… and the high stakes… and the only reason I’m not is because I’ve been doing it all my life… even before I understood what being scared meant… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} So yeah… maybe that’s one area in which I’m braver than most… but that’s it… in all my other interactions… I’m still nothing more than a coward. 

 

Hayato: Okay, just stop. 

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} Wh-What!?

 

Hayato: Not only is that not true… but by repeating those things to yourself over and over again… you’re just intoxicating yourself to the point of actually believing it. 

 

Hayato: You’re not the most confident guy alive… sure. But that doesn’t automatically make you a coward… the world isn’t just black or white okay?

 

Hayato: You’re not either brave or a wimp… everybody has their area of comfort… and some areas in which we feel less confident… that’s just how it is. 

 

Hayato: So if you want to feel like you’re not scared of everything… first thing to do is to stop saying that you are!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Maybe… you’re right… but still… it’s not that simple. 

 

Hayato: I know that it’s not. That’s why you need to take things one step at a time… and not generalize things like that. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Heh… I guess I’ll have a lot to think about today…

 

Hayato: Of course… and if you want to talk about it some more… just tell me and I’ll be there to listen. 

 

Kôzuke: Th-Thanks Hayato man… 

 

Kôzuke: {Happy} It’s nice to have a friend… in this place. 

 

 

I think we both felt that this was a good place to end the conversation and so we both went our own way.

 

… 

 

It doesn’t surprise me that Kôzuke’s got confidence issues… but the way he’s currently dealing with them… doesn’t seem healthy to me. 

 

I’m no psychology expert… obviously, but I feel like I could maybe help him to realise that he’s much braver than he thinks. 

 

I guess I just don’t want to see him this sad… so I’ll do my best to make sure he feels better.… because that’s what friends do. 

 

Friends… yeah… I think having a friend will be good for him. 

 

 

I understand Kôzuke a bit better now. 

 

{Kôzuke’s report card has been updated based on your experience with him}



Left alone in the gallery, I decided to make my way to the evidence locker. 

 

I still have a few minutes before the clock strikes 10… but by leaving now I’ll make sure not to be late. 

 

It’d be good to be the first one there for a change…

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

 

 

 

{Auto-move to Green building- Evidence Locker} 

 

{Everybody but Kenji and Jessie are here} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Here you are Hayato… right on time as always.

 

Hayato: What!? You’re… all here already?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Indeed… nobody wanted to take the risk to come late… isn’t that right?

 

How does this keep happening to me!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So… I’m guessing Kenji and Jessie won’t be showing up huh?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Would surprise me if either of them did… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I haven’t managed to talk to Jessie yet… we won’t get her to join the group just yet… it’ll take some time…

 

Fusume: {Confident} I see… well, it doesn’t matter too much… we can just relay the information to the both of them when we can. 

 

Hayato: Yeah… I hope that we can do that soon.

 

The more time they spend away from the rest of us… the worse it will get… 

 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Alright… I guess we just wait for something to happen right?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} 10 AM’s only a few seconds away… and knowing Monokuma… I’d expect this announcement to be punctual. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Quiet down everyone… it’s about to start… 

 

 

And so we waited in silence… all six of us, staring at the blank screen in the corner of the room. 

 

We waited…

 

And waited…

 

And waited…

 

Until…

 

{Sudden zoom on the TV Screen which lights up, a pair of dancing Monokumas are shown on screen as the title “Monokuma Bulletin” appears in golden letters}

 

That’s… an unnecessarily long jingle…

 

{After a few more seconds, Monokuma appears on screen, sitting at what appears to be a newscaster’s desk}

 

Monokuma: Greetings one and all to your very first Monokuma bulletin, where the news are actually… olds!

 

Monokuma: Get it? Because it’s all about your past and you know… old stuff?

 

Monokuma: I can hear you all laughing at the joke from here. Hilarious stuff I know.

 

Is this… just going to be another waste of time?

 

Monokuma: Now… enough banter, let us get to the important stuff. 

 

Monokuma: You’re all here because I promised that you’d get a clue on your past… and on that promise I shall deliver. 

 

Monokuma: Keep your ears peeled because as a world-wide exclusive, here’s a 30 seconds audio clip featuring… a few familiar faces!

 

Monokuma: Take a listen upupupu… 

 

 

 

???: AHHHHHHHHH!

 

??? #2: Guys, where the hell are you? 

 

??? #3: Taro-san, over here. 

 

Those voices… I recognise them… even though I haven’t heard them in so long…

 

Kyia: Fukami, where’s the rest of them?

 

Fukami: I cannot say, the flames separated me from the group. 

 

The… flames?

 

???: I… can’t find Shinto… what if something… had happened to him.

 

Kyia: Try to stay calm Yoko… I’m sure they’ll be fine… 

 

Yoko: Fine!? We’re all gonna die dammit!

 

Kyia: Help will come… it has to… they must have been alerted by now.

 

Fukami: Who… could have done this? 

 

Yoko: Somebody is trying to kill us all!!

 

Kyia: Girls… we don’t have time for this… we need to get to safety!

 

Yoko: Ahhh… the flames… they’re creeping closer and closer!!!

 

Fukami: We… cannot die here… not before we have accomplished what we came here to do!!!

 

Yoko: Somebody betrayed us!! That’s the only way they would have known that we’d all be here tonight!

 

Kyia: Don’t worry… we’ll make it out of here… and we’ll figure out who ratted us out… 

 

Kyia: Trust me… they will be punished accordingly…

 

 

 

 

{Monokuma is back on screen} 

 

Monokuma: Oooh… what could this mean!? Looks like our protagonists were caught in quite a… hot situation! Pun very much intended.

 

Monokuma: See you tomorrow for another exclusive! 

 

Monokuma: Oh… and don’t even think about calling me here… I won’t take any questions… you lot have got to figure out what this means by yourselves.

 

Monokuma: This has been the Monokuma Bulletin… thanks for watching!

 

{TV screen shuts down} 

 

 

What… the fuck was that…

 

Reijiro: {Step back distraught} This… this…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} …

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} Y-Yoko… hearing… her voice…

 

Shinto: {Livid} Hnngh…!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} When… when the hell was that man?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I don’t think that Monokuma will tell us that… he did specify that we wouldn’t get any help… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} There’s no doubt about it… those voices belonged to our classmates. 

Yoko, Fukami and Kyia… three of our fallen classmates… I haven’t heard their voices in some time… but I can’t help but feel that they sounded different… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} But what were they talking about man… all that stuff about… flames?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} It appears that our classmates were caught in a fire

 

Wait… a fire?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Why were the three of them stuck in a fire like that…? How did they get in such a situation?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} No… it wasn’t just the three of them… Fukami said that they got separated from the group… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} We must have… all been in that fire.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wh-What…?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} We were… also in the fire? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That… appears to be the only plausible explanation… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} It would also explain why Monokuma showed us this audio clip… whatever happened… involved all of us. 

 

I… remember… that dream…

 

Hayato: Guys… I… I think I remember something… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You do!!?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} AAAH! Does that mean Hayato’s gonna kill us now!?

 

Hayato: N-No… I didn’t get my memories back or anything. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Oh okay… good. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Then… what is it Hayato?

 

Hayato: I had a dream… back after Yoshi’s trial… it felt so real… and now that we heard that clip… it feels realer than ever. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} A dream you say? That’s your source?

 

Hayato: Just… trust me on this… I wasn’t just a dream… I think it was… a memory. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Wh-where am I…?

 

… 

 

I… can’t see anything… too much smoke… 

 

??? #1: Where is everyone? There’s no visibility in this place!

 

??? #2 : Mmph, we have bigger problems to solve first… 

 

These voices… I recognise them… 

 

??? #3 : You motherfucker! You betrayed us all! 

 

??? #1 : No… it can’t have been that person… right?

 

??? #4 : We’re all gonna die man! 

 

Who… who are they talking to?

 

??? #2 : After everything that we have accomplished together… it seems that this is the end. 

 

??? #2 : Our group falls after having been betrayed. 

 

Betrayed? By whom? I can’t see anyone! Who are they talking about?

 

??? #3 : This… this isn’t the end. If we’re gonna die here… then we’re gonna make you pay first!

 

??? #2 : It is only fair after all… for us to get retribution… traitor. 

 

Who… who’s the traitor? Who’s the traitor!?

 

… 

 

{Hayato is seen standing in a dark room, fire surrounds him} 

 

This place is burning! How did I get here? Where am I?

 

… 

 

I need to get out… I need to get out!

 

??? #5 : There is no way out… you will die here. 

 

Is that… the traitor?

 

{The flames creep closer and closer to Hayato} 

 

I can’t die here… I need to make it… I need to make it.

 

… 

 

I need to make it.

 

… 

 

I… need… to… 

 

{Screen fades to black}

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: That dream… it must be connected to this audio recording… one way or another…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} That’s… crazy… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Are you saying that your dream… was a memory coming back to you?

 

Hayato: I can’t say for sure… but it seems plausible to me. 

 

Hayato: The dream and this clip are way too similar for this to be a coincidence. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} And we’re not in a Final Destination movie… I won’t buy for a second that this was a premonition type thing… 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} That does seem unlikely… but then… what can this mean?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Being unfamiliar with the type of technology that has been used to take our memories away… it will be hard to say for certain…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} However… a plausible theory is that your subconscious projected images from our past to you while you slept… in a way forcing some memories onto you. 

 

Could that… be what the dream was? But… it ended with me dying… or at least being engulfed in the flames…

 

So how am I fine… physically speaking?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} It… c-could just be a dream man… no need to get all conspiracy theory like just yet… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} To use a dream as evidence… it’s obviously far-fetched… but Hayato’s story is too specifically similar to the recording for it to be a coincidence.

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} And Hayato wouldn’t make this up… there’s no reason for him to do so. 

 

Hayato: That’s right, I have trouble believing that it could be anything more than a dream myself… but I’m telling the truth.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I see… I gu-guess I believe you then… 

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} So… we’ve got two different accounts of us being caught in a man-made fire of sorts… did we get attacked or something?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The sound quality of that recording makes me believe that the fire happened indoors… which means it seems unlikely that it was accidental. 



Hayato: Yeah… we were definitely inside of a building in my dream… I just can’t remember what building it was. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} It appears that one way or another we were all involved in this fire… and if Monokuma wants us to remember it then it must have been an important event in the past year.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Of course it was important man… We could have died in there!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Speaking of dying… if we were all stuck in a building on fire… am I the only one wondering how none of us were harmed at all?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} That’s right… none of us have any visible traces of being burnt… that is odd. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Maybe we were… simply lucky. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Luck is rare… for all 16 of us to leave unscathed… that is more along the lines of a miracle. 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Clearly… that miracle must have happened. We’re living proof of that. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Something’s… not right about this whole story.

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} As far as we know… this entire thing could be an elaborate fabrication… that recording could be faked and Hayato’s dream could have been induced one way or another…

 

Hikari: {Sad} But… why go through all that trouble? 

 

Shinto: {Crazed, grasps collar} For despair of course… to make us suffer… for that is their only objective. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} …

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} He does have a point… the recording and the dream… they are not enough to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that this fire really happened. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Is there nothing else…? Maybe something we might have missed…

 

Something… we missed…

 

 

That’s right!

 

Hayato: Actually… I think there is one more piece of information… that’s related to the fire. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… is that so?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… what is it!?

 

Hayato: Back before she died… Raiko found something… a hidden message inside of Station A’s books… 

 

Hayato: That message… it’s the reason why Kenji was so obsessed with the place. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} A hidden… message? 

 

{Flashback} 

 

The three of us worked together to find the correct page in every single book… and once we did that, we finally had eyes on Raiko’s discovery…

 

{Closeup on a table where all six open books can be seen next to each other. One word from each book seems to have been highlighted in yellow}

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} Wh-What… what is this!?

 

Raiko: {Giggles} Ta-da! The big revelation… some words highlighted in a book!

 

Kenji: Is that it?

 

Raiko: {Twirls hair} Oh yeah, that’s it… I checked each “HP” book thoroughly and they all have exactly one highlighted word… that just can’t be a coincidence.

 

As I started deciphering the words in question, something felt off… my whole body felt weird… as if my gut was telling me that something bad was about to happen.

 

Hayato: One highlighted word… in every single book which shares initials with Hope’s Peak…

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} ”Fire”, “one”, “the”, “of”, “you”, “treacherous”… that doesn’t mean anything.

 

Raiko: {Giggles} When you say it like that it doesn’t… but if you put them back in the correct order, then you get…

 

Hayato: “The treacherous fire, one of you”.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Why didn’t you tell us about this earlier…!?

 

Hayato: She asked us to stay quiet about it… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And you did what she asked!?

 

Hayato: I trusted her!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I… see…

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} In any case… it’s good that you’ve told us now!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So that’s yet another mention of that fire… but what does it mean?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} If it’s to be trusted… then I don’t like the implications of that message. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} In fact… it seems to confirm what our classmates were suspecting… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The traitor in our group… that person was responsible for the fire!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} …

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-No way!!!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} The use of the word “treacherous” cannot be accidental… that message was openly telling us that the traitor was the one behind the fire…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And that traitor… is one of us…

 

{Scene shifts to show all 6 students, worryingly looking at each other} 

 

Kôzuke: It’s… n-not me man!

 

Hikari: Let’s not start pointing fingers… the traitor could simply be dead already.

 

Reijiro: That’s unlikely… the traitor’s working with our abductor are they not? Surely, they would have some sort of a guarantee that they’d make it out of here alive… 

 

Fusume: Even though that possibility exists… we should not jump to conclusions… 

 

Shinto: I disagree… if the traitor’s still here with us… shouldn’t we try to figure out who that is?

 

Hayato: We have no leads to do so… doubting each other will only cause more trouble!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I guess you’re right… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} If the traitor’s still here with us… and they really are responsible for the fire… we will find them… and question them… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} But… we have bigger fish to fry right now… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Do we really?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I have to agree with the sentiment… trying to figure out who the traitor is would only bring more tensions… and tension is exactly what we need to avoid if we all want to make it out of here… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} We must be cautious… but we cannot become paranoid… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’ll say it again… if we get out of the resort… it’s as a group. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} So you want us to trust each other… even though one of us is working with Monokuma… and tried to kill us once before?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} None of those things have been confirmed… can’t you see that this is what the mascots want from us?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} What are you talking about?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} The fire… the traitor… just like you said… it could all be a lie.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And as long as we cannot confirm the existence of the traitor… or the veracity of that audio clip… we mustn’t get carried away. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I see… looks like I contradicted myself there… my bad.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance) Don’t worry about it!

 

Fusume: {Confident} In any case… I believe we have spent sufficient time discussing this matter… we should probably go back to investigating.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I suppose we’ll see during tomorrow’s bulletin what’s what… but for now, I ask you all not to worry too much about what we’ve heard today.

 

That’s… much easier said than done… even though we can’t know for certain that what we’ve heard’s true… it’s still more likely than the contrary.

 

I’m not sure how Monokuma could have faked that audio… and that dream… the more I think of it the more it feels real. 

 

Could he really have implanted fake memories in my head?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… if that is all… I propose we go back to our tasks from this morning… we shall reconvene in the evening-

 

???: Having meetings without me are we!?

 

Startled, I turned around to see the owner of that deep voice…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Not that I’m surprised… 

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} Y’all don’t want to be associated with a nutcase like me do you!?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} K-Kenji…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You know damn well that this meeting wasn’t planned without you… you simply decided not to come.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Tch… yeah… I guess that’s true.

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laughing} Shoulda seen the look on your faces though!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Why are you here man…?

 

Hayato: And more importantly… what is that you’re holding in your hand?

 

{Close-up on Kenji’s right hand, he seems to be carrying a purple piece of cloth}

 

Reijiro: That is… why do you…

 

Kenji: Yeah… y’all know what this is… and I won’t let anybody take it away from me.

 

Shinto: That’s… Caspian’s cape…

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Why are you carrying that around!? That’s important evidence!!

 

Kenji: {Serious, stands up straight} Heh… well… it’s mine now. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You stole the cape from the evidence locker… why?

 

Kenji: {Looks down} This cape… and that picture we were given… my mind’s made up now. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} It’s made up… regarding what!? 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Kenji: {Furious} Tadao… was a fraud… he wasn’t the real Caspian!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} H-How could you know that for sure!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} There is nothing… that proves that.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} So you say…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You claim… you’ve found proof of Caspian’s true identity?

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} I don’t claim shit. I’m just here to see that report… I don’t have anything to say to you. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} W-Well… you missed the bulletin! You’re too late!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Heh… you’re as dumb as ever aren’t ya?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Huh…!?

 

Hayato: What do you mean…? The bulletin was played at 10 AM sharp!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Yeah… it was played at 10, but that doesn’t mean you can’t just replay it after.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} N-No way!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} That screen’s got a replay function… you can watch any bulletin at any time… 10 AM’s just when it premieres. You would have known that if you’d done any sort of research. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} How… did you find that out?

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} As I said… none of your fucking business! I’m just here to watch the bulletin… preferably without y’all sticking around. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You think we are simply going to leave because you want us to?

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laugh} Yeah! I do! Unless you wanna come to my face and say you have a problem with it!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Then we can resolve this like men!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} But no… you’re a pussy… and I heard you guys speaking on my way in… you were about to leave weren’t ya? 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Don’t make this any harder than necessary will ya?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} … 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

Fusume: {Meditating} We have no reason to antagonise you Kenji… if you want us gone then we’ll leave. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} You really want us to give in to his demands?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I… don’t want a fight… let’s just do what he says for now. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} That’s right, listen to mommy… and get out of my face will ya? 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} We will not let you keep this up forever… you hear me? 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Consider me frightened. Now, don’t let the door hit y’all on your way out. 

 

Kenji… we really have lost him… 

 

I… still can’t believe he’s that far gone…

 

It’s… so very sad…

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} Why… why are you doing this man!?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Doing… what exactly!?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Acting so aggressive… keeping the cape with you… kicking us out like this… you’re not acting like yourself. 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} This isn’t you man!

 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} The fuck do you know about me little man? 

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} This… is me! In fact… I’m feeling pretty great about myself! 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} As to answer your question… my behavior makes perfect sense if you take the time to use your little brain and think. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Go on. 

 

Kenji: {Serious, stands up straight} Y’all think I’m stupid… that I don’t realise what’s going on here… but I’m not… I get it. 

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} None of you have any sort of faith in me anymore… you think I’m crazy… and that I’m evil…

 

Kenji: {Furious} So if you don’t fucking trust me… then I don’t trust you… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} One of you’s a fucking traitor… and I won’t let y’all take me down with you… I’m getting out of this fucking place. 

 

Kenji: {Points to cape} And this… I know that it’s going to be important… one way or another… so I’m keeping it… I don’t trust any of you to keep it safe! 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} This whole thing… is an issue of trust?

 

Hikari: {Sad} But Kenji… we’ll trust you again once you start… acting normal. 

 

Kenji: {Serious, stands up straight} Tch… the damage is done. We all need to accept that things won’t be like they used to… I’m fine with that personally. 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} W-Well I’m not!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Tough shit. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And you think we are just going to let you keep the cape right…?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} I’d like to see you try to take it from me. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Reijiro… please, let him have it. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Huh?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} There’s no point in arguing with him… he won’t back down. 

 

Fusume: Let’s just give him space. We’ll deal with all this later…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} … 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Very well… I hope to see the rest of you tonight. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} We’re just… letting him act like that’

 

Fusume: {Softly} Please… trust me Kôzuke. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} This… this… 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} This is bullshit!!! {Leaves} 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Tch… good riddance. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Let’s… go. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} …

 

Reijiro: This… is for the better

 

Fusume: {Hurt} … I’m… sorry…

 

Kenji: {Laughing out loud} See y’all around nyahahaha!

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

Despite how insufferable he was… we all gave up on trying to reason with him and we left for the restaurant as lunch time was approaching. 

 

 

Lunch was quiet… and uneventful… I guess we were all too tired by the whole ordeal to talk about anything of importance. 

 

After a while, we all decided to go back to whatever we’d been doing in the morning. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

I’d gladly just stay here for a while and rest… but I know that I can’t really be doing that… 

 

The more I wait… the more things will go to shit… we need to find something of value… soon. 

 

 

And that audio clip… I know that we can’t prove that it’s true but… my gut’s telling me that it’s real. 

 

I can’t believe that this dream could have been fabricated… 

 

 

Argh… I’m… overthinking things… it’s too early to make a decision… I need to stop being so rash. 

 

My head’s killing me… if I stay alone I think I’ll go crazy.

 

I think… that I’ll need to find someone to investigate with… 

 

{Free time starts}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdSYNKNagU )

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Green Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{Move to Green Building - Evidence Locker} 

 

{Shinto and Fusume are here} 

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Good afternoon Hayato… I’m glad you’ve decided to join me 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} This search doesn’t end… there’s so much stuff in this room… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hnngh… I… need to be strong… for the group. 

 

Do I want to spend time with Fusume?

 

{Yes/No} 

 

Fusume: {Content} Yes thank you! It will be easier with you around… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Now, let’s waste no time 

 

 

I spent the afternoon going through files in the evidence locker with Fusume. 

 

She wasn’t lying… there were enough documents to spend a lifetime in this room… I’ve only spent a couple of hours here and I feel drained. 

 

 

I bet Monokuma purposefully filled those shelves with useless stuff… that’s why our search was so unproductive… 

 

Either way… it was nice to spend some time with Fusume… I think making sure she’s not alone is a good thing at the moment. 

 

I think we got closer. 

 

… 

 

Now… I should watch my words… and be very careful with what I say. Last time I hung out with Fusume… I think I went too far and it ended badly. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} It was supposed to be a routine mission… on the outskirts of Osaka… 

 

Fusume: {Livid} there was no risk… it was just routine… just… just… 

 

She’s opening up to me… finally!

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I… I… 

 

Hayato: Fusume! Tell me what happened!

 

Fusume: {Livid} I can’t… I can’t… 

 

We’re so close… 

 

Fusume: {Livid} I couldn’t… 

 

Hayato: You couldn’t… what?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I couldn’t protect…

 

Hayato: Protect whom?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s… that’s enough!

 

Hayato: What?

 

Fusume: {Confident} You think I can’t see what you’re doing!?

 

Hayato: What are you even talking about?

 

Fusume: {Dark look, pulls out kunai} You’re trying to get me to unveil my weaknesses so you can better betray me later!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Listen… I know what you’re thinking. 

 

Hayato: Is that so?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I overreacted last time you and I spent time together… and I doubted you…

 

Fusume: {Bows} For that, I must apologise. 

 

How did she…

 

Hayato: That… was what I was thinking about! 

 

Fusume: {Softly} Well, wouldn’t you know… maybe I am a psychic.

 

Hayato: Is mind-reading a ninja trick I don’t know about? 

 

Fusume: {Content} No… I guess you could say that I have good intuition. 

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} And on an unrelated note… here’s a tip, maybe you shouldn’t play poker… ever. 

 

Hayato: Ouch. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} In all seriousness… I shouldn’t have snapped at you. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Our conversation evoked painful memories… memories I have tried suppressing for some time. 

 

Fusume: I guess that’s why I got so mad. 

 

Hayato: That’s okay… I think it’s fair to say that I was pretty nosy. I should have felt that you were uncomfortable. I’m sorry for that. 

 

Fusume: {Content} Well… we’ve both apologised… I think we’re ready to move on… and forget about the incident. 

 

Hayato: That’s fine by me. 

 

I’m glad that she isn’t holding a grudge… Fusume’s one of my closest friends here and I wouldn’t want to hurt our friendship like that… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} At the end of the day… being nosy isn’t a bad thing… at least not in my book. 

 

Hayato: I thought you said we were moving on.

 

Fusume: {Content} We are… this is a new topic of conversation. 

 

Hayato: Oh… my bad. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I’m just thinking about it now… curiosity means that you care doesn’t it?

 

Fusume: And caring about something… or someone… that’s a form of love… in a form or another. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} So why is curiosity seen as a negative thing by our society? Is caring… bad? 

 

Hayato: When you put it that way… then sure, it sounds silly… but I think it really depends on the context. 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Elaborate. 

 

Hayato: Well… I’ll just go back to our situation as an example. 

 

Fusume: Okay… 

 

Hayato: If I asked you all those questions… obviously it was because I care about you… and I didn’t like seeing you so sad. 

 

Fusume: {Content} That’s pretty cute. 

 

Hayato: So yeah… my insistence was based on a good intention, as you said… I care… but intentions aren’t everything… the way I acted wasn’t right… I insisted even though I shouldn’t have. 

 

Hayato: To answer your question… curiosity itself isn’t a bad thing… it’s what we do with it that can create problems. 

 

Hayato: If I had told you that I cared… and then stopped when you had asked me to… there would have been no problem… right?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hm… I see your point… good intentions don’t excuse bad actions… 

 

Fusume: {Blushes} Still… I just told you that caring was a form of love… and you said that you cared about me… does that mean… what I think it means. 

 

WHAT!?

 

Hayato: Fusume… you’re my friend… I th-think there’s been a misunderstanding

 

Fusume: {Amused} I’m just teasing you Hayato… it’s too easy to anticipate how you’ll react…

 

Happy to be… a source of entertainment I guess…

 

Fusume: {Content} I know that you care about me… and I’m honored to be your friend.

 

Hayato: Of course, you’re my friend Fusume! 

 

Fusume: {Blushes} I’m… really happy about that…

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} And while we’re at it… friends give each other advice right?

 

Hayato: Right…

 

Where is this going?

 

Fusume: Then… let me tell you this…

 

Fusume: {Amused} You should just stay away from casinos… in general. 

 

Of course…

 

 

As much as I hate being the butt of the joke… I didn’t really mind seeing Fusume teasing me. 

 

She’s slowly getting past her cold and serious exterior and this shows that we’re getting closer. 

 

If I made the mistake of being too insisting last time around… it’s because I wanted her to open up to me… and it looks like that’s finally happening naturally. 

 

Fusume’s a good friend… I should cherish that.

 

I definitely understand her better now.



{Fusume’s report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

… 

 

After another while… Fusume and I both decided we’d done enough for the day… the sun’s already going down after all. 

 

Despite the fact that I didn’t find anything that appeared to be a real clue today… I’m still happy with how much I managed to get done in a single day…

 

If we keep this rhythm going… well find something… eventually. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

It’s almost time for dinner… Reijiro and Fusume wanted us to meet at the restaurant… maybe we’ll talk about what happened this morning… 

 

Kenji’s worrying me… we can’t just let him roam freely and take evidence away from us like that… it isn’t healthy for him… or us.

 

Hopefully these two will have thought of some sort of solution. 

 

I should head there already… no time to waste.

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor} 

 

{Move to Restaurant} 

 

{Scene opens on restaurant, Fusume, Reijiro and Shinto are here} 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… good evening. 

 

Hayato: Hey guys… looks like I’m not the last one here for once!

 

Fusume: {Amused} Oh no, you definitely are. 

 

Hayato: What!!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} The other two aren’t coming. 

 

Hayato: They aren’t? Why not?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hikari warned me that she was going to try to talk to Jessie tonight… we’re still waiting on the results of that operation. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} And Kôzuke… he said that he didn’t feel like coming… I think he’s still on edge after what happened with Kenji. 

 

Hayato: Oh… that sucks… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I did check up on him… he’s okay… I think he just needs some time to process all that’s happened. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Yes… that is why we judged it best to leave him be for now. We shall get back to him tomorrow. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} So… I guess it’s just the four of us tonight huh?

 

Fusume: It sure seems to be that way. 

 

This… isn’t good. 

 

Hayato: Aren’t you guys worried about the group splitting up?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} I would not use the word “splitting”. Two members of the group have distanced themselves from us… indeed… but we are actively working on getting them to join us once again. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} The fact that only four of us are here tonight… does not indicate that our group is broken. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenched fist, frustrated} This is just… a rough patch for everyone.

 

Hayato: Okay… that’s fair. 

 

Fusume: {Content} At least the four of us are here… and we can have dinner together… peacefully. 

 

Yes… she’s right. I’ll enjoy not having to worry tonight…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I don’t want to break the mood… but can we really let Kenji act this way much longer? 

 

I spoke too soon… 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I’m just… scared that he’s turning into a new Raiko. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Shinto… what do you mean by that?

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, bends forward} Well… obviously… Raiko and Kenji are drastically opposite people… but aren't their paths starting to look similar. 

 

Shinto: Raiko antagonised our group… and we stopped trusting her… she isolated herself and that’s what got her killed. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} If she hadn’t gone in the submarine by herself… she might still be around today. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} And now… Kenji’s doing exactly what she did… he’s isolating himself… and acting up against us… 

 

Shinto: I’m… scared… he might get in trouble because of that. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} For that to happen… one of us would have to become a killer… and that won’t happen. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Well… then what if he’s the killer? He’s clearly lost it… and we’re leaving him tons of time to organise a murder aren’t we?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I guess I don’t have a counter-argument for that… I can only hope that such a thing doesn’t actually happen… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Sometimes… hope is not enough… perhaps we should take action… in order to prevent something from happening. 

 

Hayato: What sort of action are you thinking of? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I’m not sure… nothing drastic of course… but once his reasoning has been made clear… it became easy to understand his change in personality.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} How so?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I am no psychotherapist… but the way I see it is this…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} He had a profound hate towards our last victim… and for a reason. She did get four members of our group killed… 

 

Reijiro: The thing is… she was starting to see the faults in her ways… and she was changing for the better… which meant we started to slowly accept her in… and he did not like that at all. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} For him she was nothing but evil… and she would not hesitate to kill again… which is why he tried to kill her. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} His plan failed… and so he felt guilty for his actions… that’s when he tried making it back to us by finding some sort of clue in Station A… 

 

Reijiro: The events… just did not go his way… not only was his research fruitless, he got attacked by the very person he hated and tried being better than… and then we all accused him of her murder. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenched fist, frustrated} He had been framed so convincingly that none of us took a second to listen to his version of the story… I believe that is when the disconnect really happened. 

 

Hayato: The disconnect?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} He made a mistake… and he was trying to be to redeem himself… and instead of being thanked, he was accused of murder by the entire group… he must have thought that none of us trusted him… and that’s when he lost faith in the group. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I believe that this is what happened… that is why he is like that today… he feels betrayed by us.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Of course… that is only a theory…

 

That was… very comprehensive of him… 

 

I think Reijiro’s resuming what happened pretty well, I can clearly see why the way things went might have upset him… 

 

His reaction is drastic… obviously… but it makes sense…

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} If we hurt him… then should we apologise?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I doubt that apologies would calm him down… we are past that stage now. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Then… what do we do? 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} I need to think about it some more… but clearly… we need to make him feel welcome once again… and more importantly, he needs to feel like we trust him. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The problem is that some members of the group won’t be okay with that… Kôzuke and Jessie… mainly. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes… that is why my plan needs more time to be elaborated… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} But by understanding the reasons behind his actions… we are getting closer to the solution. 

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} We will get him back… I will do everything in my power to achieve that. 

 

It’s incredible to see how much Reijiro has changed… especially when you remember how much him and Kenji used to bicker back when we first arrived here. 

 

He’s reached a level of maturity that really impresses me… he’s clearly trying his hardest to make sure that Kenji isn’t harmed… or doesn’t harm any one. 

 

Him and Fusume… they’re our leaders for a reason… I’ll trust them… and maybe things might finally start going well for a change.

 

 

 

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

The rest of dinner went by without a hitch… we all agreed to meet in the morning, hopefully with Jessie among our ranks once more. 

 

Reijiro made it clear that he would continue to think about the best way to approach Kenji… judging by how well he’s understood the situation… I think we might make some progress there soon. 

 

Exhausted, I decided to go back to my room once the discussions were over. I wished the other three good night and went straight to bed.

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

Fusume was right… having a peaceful evening for once really did me some good. 

 

The group’s still not completely reformed… but we’re actively working on it… and that’s making me hopeful again. 

 

If all 8 of us work together… nothing can stop us… I’m sure of it. 

 

All we need now is for Jessie and Kenji to come back to us. 

 

If we’re all together… we can make sure that nobody gives in to the motive… we’ll get our memories back by ourselves. 

 

No more killing… no more meaningless death. 

 

I… just want to live… 

 

I… can’t die… not yet…

 

We’ll make it out… I know we will… 

 

 

 

 

I fell asleep almost instantly… last night’s restless sleep partially at fault. 

 

Finally, I could get some rest… as I naively started to think that things might have started to get better. 

 

I couldn’t have imagined how wrong I was. 

 

In this place… it never gets better. It can always get… a little worse.

 

Finally… we were going to experience hell… and there was nothing I could do about it. 

 

 

 

 

Monokuma Theater

 

Monokuma: So… classical music’s boring right?

 

Monokuma: Wrong! You idiots just listen to the wrong composers. Mozart? Boring. Beethoven? He was deaf and dumb. Bach? More like… uh… shut up!

 

Monokuma: You know who’s a good composer? John Cage! 

 

Monokuma: You might not know him… but the man’s an absolute genius, who’d blow all of the other ding-dongs out of the water.

 

Monokuma: I’m such a fan that I stayed up all night learning one of his most famous pieces! 

 

Monokuma: So here it is… as a world-wide exclusive: I, Monokuma, presents my version of John Cage’s “4’33”. Please enjoy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Monokuma: Beautiful. 

Notes:

Uh oh… just as things are starting to look up… what could go wrong I wonder?

Now, time to break the sad news… next chapter will contain the LAST EVER free time events in DR: AD (tragic, I know). This is your last change to vote for your favorites so please, hurry over to this link to do so! https://www.strawpoll.me/21002579

It's also your chance to predit who the final victim could be… so please share your theories in the comments or in the discord, all comments are very much appreciated.

With uni starting again, I can't promise that I'll be super punctual with my updates, but I'm doing my best to keep the wait to two weeks if possible (three weeks at worse), but either way, I'm super excited to share this fifth chapter with you all

All that's left for me to do is thank you for reading! I'll see you in the next one :)

Chapter 55: Chapter 5 : Monokuma Presents "The Greatest Heist" : Daily Life part 3

Notes:

The final Daily Life portion of DR : AD is upon us.

The last two FTE of the fic go to Fusume and Reijiro (Jessie won the poll but she is sadly unavaiable for obvious reasons)

Everything will be fine… right?

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

{The TV screen lights up, showing Monokuma in a jacuzzi, holding some sort of cocktail glass in his paw}

 

Monokuma: Gooood Morning! This is your director speaking, it’s now 8:00 AM! Look out the window, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. A perfect weather to kill wouldn’t you say?

 

Get ready for a spectacular day everyone!

 

 

Another day in the resort… 

 

I woke up conflicted today… my mood’s usually at either extreme… I’m either desperate for things to go better or hopeful at recent events.

 

Today isn’t like that… I don’t know what to feel. 

 

It looks like we’re getting closer and closer to figuring out the truth about our missing memories… but at the same time, I can’t help but worry about what might happen to the isolated members of the group. 

 

The motive is scary because we don’t know what to expect… and now more than ever it feels very possible that one of us will give in… which means that someone else might die. 

 

We’ve gotten through all four trials so far… but we barely made it out every single time… I don’t want to risk our luck with a fifth one. 

 

 

I could stay all day and overthink the current situation… but I think it’d definitely be wiser to go and meet with everyone in the restaurant.

 

Time for a nice hot shower… and then I’ll be on my way…

 

 

 

 

{Move to Room Hallway} 

 

{Talk to Hikari} 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Hikari: {Yawns} Good morning Hayato. 

 

Hayato: Hey there… you look… tired. 

 

Hikari: {Rubs eye} Yeah… I spent the night in Jessie’s room and I guess I didn’t end up getting much sleep at all. 

 

Hayato: You spent the night… with Jessie?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} It took a lot of convincing but I managed to get her to let me in her room last night… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} She didn’t really talk to me at all though… she stayed silent for the whole way through. 

 

That doesn’t sound like the Jessie we know… Oriana’s death really got to her… 

 

Hikari: {Rubs eye} I… watched her all night… and I don’t think she got a wink of sleep… she was just lying there… with an empty look on her face… all night long. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… can only hope that things do get better for her… but I think her letting me in is a step in the right direction. 

 

Hikari: I think… she might just show up at the meeting today… 

 

Hayato: R-Really? That would definitely be reassuring for everyone. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I guess… we’ll have to wait and see what happens. 

 

If Hikari managed to get Jessie to join the group again… that would be a huge morale boost for everybody…

 

I can only hope she did enough…

 

{Move to Black Building - Second Floor} 

 

{Move to Restaurant} 

 

{Scene opens on the Restaurant, everybody but Kenji is here} 

 

Hayato: Good morning everyone. 

 

The moment I entered the restaurant, my eyes immediately went to one person… the person I hope I’d see here.

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} …

 

Hayato: Jessie… you came!

 

Jessie: {Hides behind backpack} …

 

 

Won’t she… say anything?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} She hasn’t… spoken a word to us yet… but she’s here. That’s what counts!

 

Hayato: Right…

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} …

 

She doesn’t look well… at all… I hope it wasn’t too early to bring her back.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… pleasantries and good news aside… we have some pressing issues to address. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} What sort of issues?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Well… we agreed yesterday, Reijiro, Shinto and myself have spent the day going through files… both in the evidence locker and on Raiko’s memory stick…

 

That’s right, I forgot they were going to do that…

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} D-Did you find anything important?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Nothing groundbreaking just yet… I found myself trampled under the sheer amount of paperwork I’ll have to deal with… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I’ll get through it all eventually… but it’s going to take time. 

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Still… it wasn’t all fruitless. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Tell us more…

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We found a report… on the tragedy. 

 

Hayato: The… tragedy?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} D-Don’t tell me… it really happened man… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I’m afraid that it did… and it’s… very worrying.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} But… it’s not like the world’s actually over… is it?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} That must have been an overstatement!

 

Jessie: {Wincing} Hnngh…

 

Fusume: {Points at a piece of paper} Take… a look at it for yourselves…

 

{The students are shown leaning over to read the report which is on display on the central table} 

 

“The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Event in Human History, often shortened as the Tragedy, is the term used to describe the series of events which followed a mass murder at Hope’s Peak academy. 

 

The social unrest that ensued evolved into chaos and death which spread like wildfire in every country. 

 

Never in the history of the world has an event threatened global stability much like the Tragedy. It was war. 

And at the center of it all, a group of students who called themselves “Ultimate Despair” made it their mission to spread despair globally and to make sure that the tragedy would never end.

 

As long as “Ultimate Despair” exists, this despair will not end…

 

A list of known casualties is annexed at the back of the document.”

 

 

 

 

What… the hell…?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} This… is…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} This… is worse than I expected… 

 

Hayato: Wait a second… mass murder at Hope’s Peak!? How haven’t we heard about this?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It must have happened during the year that was stripped from us… that’s the way I can think of… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Either that… or the academy buried the entire thing… but that seems unlikely. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Either way… unless this report was falsified for some reason… this tragedy definitely happened. 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} The document’s annex… it’s almost a hundred pages long… the death toll… it’s like nothing I’ve heard of before… 

 

The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Event in Human History…? Is it really possible that we can’t remember something like that?

 

I… didn’t want to believe that the world really had ended… but this report is clear… the tragedy… really happened didn’t it?

 

We survived it… only to be thrust in this killing game…

 

Whoever put us here… really wants us dead huh?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} How… do we know that this isn’t some sort of trick by Monokuma to mess with us?

 

Hikari: {Sad} This… still isn’t proof that the tragedy really happened is it? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… I suppose that it is not… however, it seems like a huge waste of time for the mastermind to forge this document simply in order to make us believe that such an event happened… 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Moreover… that girl had no reason to lie to us about it… her testimony acts as proof of the tragedy’s existence…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I g-guess so… 

 

Hayato: The outside world… has it really been destroyed? 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} It’s hard to estimate just how big the casualties were… and how that has affected society… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} But I think it’s fair to say that the world we’ll find out when we get out of here is going to be very different to what we knew. 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} G-Gh… I d-don’t want things to be d-different… 

 

Reijiro: {Understanding smile} I am afraid… that they will be whether we want it or not… we just have to accept that change and do our best to live with it. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wh-Why man…? Th-This… is so unfair… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I guess… we’re the lucky ones… we survived the tragedy after all… 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} And yet here we are… confronted to another life or death situation… 

 

Reijiro: {Sad expression, rubs eye} Even in the killing game… the eight of us are the lucky ones… statistically speaking. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} We survived the tragedy… and now we’re still alive in this killing game… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Which is why… end of the world or not… we need to make sure that all eight of us make it out of here in one piece… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I will accept… no more deaths. I won’t allow it… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Indeed… and that is why we must keep fighting for our lives… and find as many clues as we can in order to escape…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I have said it a hundred times… and I will say it again… murder… is not the way out. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I want every single one of us to be aware of the consequences of such an act… before we move on to other points of discussion. 

 

That’s… ominous from Reijiro… but he’s right to mention it… we can’t have another murder… that would mean two more deaths… minimum. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Other points of discussion? There’s… more to say? 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Indeed… this report isn’t the only important document that we found… there’s more. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} We’re just… dropping the tragedy? Like we hadn’t talked about it?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} No… it was important for us to see that report… the fact that the tragedy’s real… it should encourage us to keep going… 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} The outside world might have been destroyed… but that doesn’t mean that we should stay here all our lives… we need to get out of here… and make things right. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Indeed… that file implied that this… “Ultimate Despair” was formed by Hope’s Peak students… which means that stopping them is not out of our reach. 

 

Hayato: You really think… that we’re able to stop the people who caused the most despairing event in human history? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Why not…? If not us… then who else? 

 

{Black and white frame of several grey figures standing in a city in ruin can be seen on screen} 

 

Ultimate Despair huh…? Hearing that name makes me feel weird… like memories were trying to burst out of my head in vain… 

 

I… don’t remember anything about that name… but I know that the old me was familiar with them… that’s the only thing that makes sense. 

 

If Ultimate Despair was composed of Hope’s Peak students… does that mean that we knew them? 

 

I can’t wrap my head around it… hopefully it’ll come back soon enough… 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} We’ve talked about this at length… I’m not sure there’s much more to be said until we find anything else regarding the tragedy… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} So… tell us what else you found!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I will take that question as the information in question was discovered while browsing through the files in the memory stick.  

 

Hikari: {Sad} Was there nothing else in the evidence locker?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Not really… at least nothing important enough to mention it now… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} But… we’ll keep on searching… and we’ll find something for sure!

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Hm… I see… 

 

Reijiro found something in the drive that Raiko left for us… I wonder what it could be… 

 

Knowing her… it must be something important. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So… Reijiro… tell us man!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} The file in question… might be the answer to a question that arose yesterday morning… namely, that of the fire we were all supposedly involved in…

 

The… fire!?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: Now… enough banter, let us get to the important stuff. 

 

Monokuma: You’re all here because I promised that you’d get a clue on your past… and on that promise I shall deliver. 

 

Monokuma: Keep your ears peeled because as a world-wide exclusive, here’s a 30 seconds audio clip featuring… a few familiar faces!

 

Monokuma: Take a listen upupupu… 

 

 

 

???: AHHHHHHHHH!

 

??? #2: Guys, where the hell are you? 

 

??? #3: Taro-san, over here. 

 

Those voices… I recognise them… even though I haven’t heard them in so long…

 

Kyia: Fukami, where’s the rest of them?

 

Fukami: I cannot say, the flames separated me from the group. 

 

The… flames?

 

???: I… can’t find Shinto… what if something… had happened to him.

 

Kyia: Try to stay calm Yoko… I’m sure they’ll be fine… 

 

Yoko: Fine!? We’re all gonna die dammit!

 

Kyia: Help will come… it has to… they must have been alerted by now.

 

Fukami: Who… could have done this? 

 

Yoko: Somebody is trying to kill us all!!

 

Kyia: Girls… we don’t have time for this… we need to get to safety!

 

Yoko: Ahhh… the flames… they’re creeping closer and closer!!!

 

Fukami: We… cannot die here… not before we have accomplished what we came here to do!!!

 

Yoko: Somebody betrayed us!! That’s the only way they would have known that we’d all be here tonight!

 

Kyia: Don’t worry… we’ll make it out of here… and we’ll figure out who ratted us out… 

 

Kyia: Trust me… they will be punished accordingly…

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

The same fire that I saw in my dream… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hands over mouth} Y-You learnt more about the fire…? Wh-What happened to us then!? What’s this whole thing all about?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I managed to load the document on my Resident ID… so take a look for yourself!

 

{Camera zooms into Reijiro’s tablet to show a newspaper article. The headline reads : “Devastating fire at the Eden Corp headquarters”}

 

“As if the crisis couldn’t get any worse. The scheduled peace meeting between several of the major actors in the recent chaos was interrupted by a fire that started in the bottom floor and quickly spread across the entire building 

 

The police have already ruled out an accidental cause. “Whoever is behind this was actively trying to kill every single person in the building, that’s for sure” says the captain in charge of the investigation. 

 

The number of casualties is still unknown but the circumstances make it hard to believe that there’ll be any survivors in this incident. 

 

More news in tomorrow’s paper”.

 

 

 

 

Hikari: {Sad} …

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wh-What does this mean man…?

 

The Eden Corp… they’re one of the most influential companies in the country… I’m pretty sure they mostly deal in stocks… 

 

Their headquarters is located right next to the academy… I heard that there was an annual trip there for the first year students… 

 

This… can’t be a coincidence… 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} I suspect that you are all aware of the proximity between the Eden Corporation and Hope’s Peak Academy… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} There is no way to know for sure… but that fire may very well be the one we were looking for. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} B-But… what were we doing there man…? 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} The academy’s students often had field trips at the headquarters didn’t they? That might explain our presence… 

 

Hayato: No… that doesn’t work… the article was written after the tragedy had begun! 

 

Hayato: I don’t think we’d be having a field trip while the world was ending… 

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Sure… but then why would we be there?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} There must be a reason… but it’s going to be hard for us to figure things out without having more details about the tragedy itself… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} And our involvement in the event…

 

Hayato: Our… involvement?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You think we might be… involved in the tragedy?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} That’s c-crazy man… we’re can’t have anything to do with such a… horrible thing… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I’m not saying we caused the end of the world guys… that is definitely a crazy thing to imagine… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} But if there were negotiations about the tragedy in a building which we happened to be in… I can’t help but wonder… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Then again… we have got no proof that we were involved in this particular fire…

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Nor that this fire is even real… Monokuma’s not above making this stuff up and planting this article to make it seem more believable… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} As long as the possibility exists… we cannot put it aside… this file could very well be legitimate… and in that case the audio file we have been shown becomes especially worrying… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} But… that doesn’t make any sense man! Kyia and Yoko were saying that one of us had started the fire… and “betrayed” the group!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wh-Why would one of us set fire to the Eden Corp building…?

 

Reijiro: {Understanding smile} Once again… we cannot answer that question without more information concerning the tragedy and our missing memories… we are going to need more clues in order to figure out the truth about what happened…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I guess so… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Reijiro is right everyone… we need to take both of these documents with a grain of salt!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} It’s impossible to draw conclusions from them without seeing the bigger picture… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} We need to consider the information we’re given as pieces in a puzzle… the more we get the more they’ll fit together and make sense. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} For now… we shouldn’t be making too many conclusions based on information that we do not understand. 

 

That makes sense… the tragedy might be another one of Monokuma’s ploys and the fire might be fake or unrelated to our situation…

 

These pieces of information won’t make too much sense until we’ve got more clues. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} If that’s the case… then we need to keep looking for clues… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Monokuma’s giving us these files because they relate to our reason for being here… I’m sure of it!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Indeed… continuing with our research is essential. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Moreover, Monokuma’s bulletin will likely contain another important clue… we must take advantage of that too. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} A-Alright… we’re actually getting somewhere man… if we continue on this track… we’re bound to make a breakthrough at some point!

 

Fusume: {Confident} Definitely… if we work together… things will only get better… finally!

 

Things… could get better… after all…?

 

Monokuma made it clear that understanding why we were here was our key out of this resort… 

 

If we make this many discoveries per day… then Kôzuke’s right… we might finally manage to escape… 

 

We… have to do so… we need to get out… before something else happens.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I believe that we have gone through everything… 

 

Reijiro: I hope that it is now abundantly clear that we must continue with our research… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I will spend the day in the evidence locker once again… there is still so much to go through… some of it must be of some importance!

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, bends forward} And I’ll be there with you, there’s definitely too much for a single person to do… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} As for myself… I will continue to sift through the online documents that we have been given. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I trust that the rest of you will find something useful to do… there could very well be valuable clues waiting to be found in other parts of the building… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We’ll do our best, if we continue to work together… then things will get better… no doubt about it-

 

{Music : None}

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} No… 

 

Hayato: J-Jessie…?

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps backpack} Haven’t you… learnt… a thing…? 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Jessie… what are you talking-

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping} Trusting… each… other… doesn’t work… 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} H-Huh!?

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} I trust… everybody… all this time… and look what it did to me… 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping} I’ve been… lied to… over and over again… and I’ve lost everyone I held dear… one by one… because i trusted them. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Don’t you understand…? We’re doomed… all of us… nothing good can happen anymore. 

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps backpack} We’re… all going to die! And there’s nothing we can do about it!

 

Hikari: {Sad} Jessie… you can’t be thinking like that-

 

Jessie: {Desperate, pulls on hair} Don’t… tell me what I can or cannot do… I… don’t have to listen to you anymore… 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Being caring and trustful… only brought me pain… so… I won’t do it again… I learnt my lesson…

 

Jessie: {Desperate, pulls on hair} I won’t trust anybody ever again!!! {Leaves} 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )

 

 

 

 

She… definitely reached her breaking point.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} D-Dammit man…

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hand} I should… have known that she felt that way.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} This is my fault… I shouldn’t have brought her here… she wasn’t ready. 

 

Reijiro: {Understanding smile} She’s suffering… she feels betrayed by the actions of the previous blackened students… and that is not surprising. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} She cannot stay like this indefinitely… 

 

Reijiro: Never trusting anyone… is not an easy promise to keep. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Maybe… we have to prove to her that she can trust her.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} That won’t be easy man… after the way Oriana used her back at the trial grounds. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Right now… the only thing that we can do is give her some more time… interactions with her won’t be fruitful… that’s for sure. 

 

Fusume: But… we said that we wouldn’t let anybody get isolated… and just when she comes back to us we have to let her go again…

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Pushing her further than she feels comfortable will make sure that she never comes back at all… this is just retracting to jump higher… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I should… have done better…

 

Reijiro: {Understanding smile} I agree that we must give her time… she is going through too many emotions to act rationally… and that is fine. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We… have no alternative but to wait… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} N-No… this… is my mistake. I… need to fix this…

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} There’s no fixing it just now… we need to be patient!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} N-No… I must fix this… I must… fix… it… 

 

Hikari: {Bows} Please… trust me… {Leaves} 

 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Wh-What was that man?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} She’s gone… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I hope that she will not worsen the situation.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I guess we’ll have to see… 

 

I’m not sure what Hikari has in mind… but she’s definitely blaming herself for what happened… I don’t think that talking to Jessie will fix things… but she does know her better than I do…

 

If anybody can make things better… it’s her. 

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

After Hikari left, the five of us finished with our breakfast before we parted ways. 

 

It’s definitely going to be a busy day… but we need to do our very best once again… the more information we gather, the safer we’ll be from someone giving in to the motive. 

 

I can speak for the six of us… but Kenji and Jessie are a whole different story…

 

They aren’t part of the group at the moment… but… they need to stay strong… or else… I don’t want to even imagine it for a second. 

 

We all need to be strong… and maybe we’ll make it out of here. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room} 

 

This morning started out pretty good… our investigation is advancing slowly but surely… 

 

I… can’t say that Jessie isn’t worrying me though… her mental health is clearly deteriorating.

 

We have to balance leaving her alone and making sure she doesn’t… do something stupid… I hope Hikari will manage to handle that… 

 

That’s… what the mastermind wants… isn’t it? To isolate us… by making us fall into despair. 

 

It’s what happened to Jessie and Kenji… and despite how bad this is… I can’t help but feel grateful that the six of us are still standing…

 

With everything that happened to us… I had forgotten about the mastermind… and the fact that it’s likely one of us who’s behind this whole game…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} The file starts with a student list.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Well, I say student list… it is not much.

 

Hayato: What do you mean?

 

Fusume: See for yourself.

 

She handed Reijiro and I the file, we flipped it open to the first page and saw…

 

{Camera shows a sheet of paper with a list of names with heading “80th Class”, however, all the names but the first four have been blacked out, the readable names are : Hayato Seiki, Reijiro Yamane, Fusume Ebisawa and Fukami Ota}

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} This… this is…

 

Hayato: Why can’t we see the rest of the names??

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I found the file this way, somebody has made sure that we could not check the entire list…

 

Hayato: But why would someone do that…?

 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Surely it is because… one of us is not on this list.

 

N-no way! One of the people here is not meant to be in our class?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I have come to the same conclusion… there is no other reason for this list to be incomplete.

 

Fusume: {Confident} There is an intruder among us… someone who is not a member of the 80th class.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Could this intruder be… the mastermind behind all of this?

 

Hayato: The… mastermind?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Is it not obvious…? Somebody has to be masterminding this killing game.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} The mastermind is also the one controlling Monokuma… that thing is not moving by itself, that is for sure.

 

Fusume: {Head resting on hands} It has to be  somebody with the means of kidnapping 16 ultimate students and emptying an entire summer resort.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} There might be an organisation leading this… I cannot imagine one person individually being able to pull this killing game off…

 

Hayato: And you think that this mastermind of yours… is one of us?

 

Reijiro: I can only speculate as things stand currently… but it would seem practical as a way to supervise that the killing game goes as planned…

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

We have an imposter among us… at minimum.

 

Not only is there a traitor in the group… but the mastermind behind the entire killing game… the person who put us through this hell… who got 8 of us killed… it could very well be one of us… 

 

How… do I deal with that fact…?

 

 

 

 

I guess it’s pointless to get worked up until I have enough information to make an accusation. 

 

For now… I should make getting out of here my priority.

 

Let’s… make good use of this time.  

 

{Free time starts} 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdSYNKNagU )

 

{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Green Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{Move to Green Building - Evidence locker} 

 

{Shinto and Fusume are here} 

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hey there… are you here to help me go through this… mess?

 

Fusume: {Blushing} It’d… be nice for you to stay here for a while.

 

Do I want to spend time with Fusume?

 

{Yes/No}

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Sounds good… come sit with me. Let’s see what we manage to uncover today. 

 

I spent the morning with Fusume as we went through yet another pile of documents. 

 

As much as I tried making conversation, Fusume seemed especially on edge today. I think she’s really putting a lot of pressure on herself… even more than usual 

 

She really doesn’t want to disappoint us… that’s probably the main reason. 

 

 

 

 

A few hours later… I can’t say that we had much luck. Most of our leads ended up being red hearings and even after going through what felt like hundreds of files, I can’t say that we learnt anything of value. 

 

Fusume tried very hard to hide her disappointment but it was obvious to me how dejected she was. 

 

I proposed a break and we both decided to go outside for a stroll. Hopefully I’ll manage to lift her spirits. 

 

Still… no matter our failures, we definitely got a bit closer. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato… I have made a decision. 

 

Hayato: You have… about what!?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I’ve thought long and hard about our previous conversation… and I’ve realised that your inquiries about my life before Hope’s Peak were all well-meaning. 

 

Hayato: Y-Yes of course! I’ve already explained that I asked you those questions because I care about you. But I know that I overstepped and once again I appologise-


Fusume: {Finger on lip} No… I misinterpreted your intentions… because I didn’t trust you… but that was wrong of me. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} And that is why I will now tell you about that one mission… I have no reason to hide it from you any longer. 

 

That mission… which scarred her this way… she’s finally going to open up?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} They’re all… about that one mission. 

 

Huh?

 

Fusume: {Livid} That mission… will never cease to haunt me. 

 

Hayato: A mission? What sort of mission are you talking about?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Ninjas operate in groups of three… my squad and I were sent on a rescue mission… about 6 months before I joined Hope’s Peak

 

Hayato: A rescue mission?

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} It was supposed to be a routine mission… on the outskirts of Osaka… 

 

Fusume: {Livid} there was no risk… it was just routine… just… just… 

 

She’s opening up to me… finally!

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I… I… 

 

Hayato: Fusume! Tell me what happened!

 

Fusume: {Livid} I can’t… I can’t… 

 

We’re so close… 

 

Fusume: {Livid} I couldn’t… 

 

Hayato: You couldn’t… what?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I couldn’t protect…

 

Hayato: Protect whom?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s… that’s enough!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: Fusume… are you sure about this? 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Very much so… as I said… I have no reason to hide it from you…

 

{Black and white frame of a slightly younger looking Fusume hiding behind a bush}

 

Fusume: My team was dispatched to accompany a group of merchants carrying expensive merchandise as they went from one town to another… 

 

Fusume: It was just routine… we weren’t prepared for combat… but we were ambushed by bandits… 

 

Fusume: They outnumbered us… and they were armed… we should have ran away… that was the only possible plan of action… we didn’t stand a chance. 

 

Hayato: And… that’s not what you did?

 

Fusume: No… I thought I could take them on… I didn’t want to take a risk and put my team in danger… so I charged at them. 

 

She… charged!?

 

{Black and white frame now shows Fusume unconscious on the ground}

 

Fusume: We were no match for them… there were just too many to deal with… my team followed me into combat… 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} None of them survived… I only made it out because the bandits thought I was dead and didn’t bother to finish me off.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I got both my team and the people we were meant to protect killed…  only because I tried to take them head on… like a fool. 

 

Fusume: I’ll never forgive myself for my behaviour… that’s why when I received the invitation to come study here… I didn’t hesitate for one second… I… had to get better… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The real Ultimate Ninja wouldn’t have made the mistakes I made… but I had to get away from the field… and learn to never make such mistakes again. 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} That’s the only way… I’ll ever manage to be at peace with my failures… by making sure I never repeat them again. 

 

 

 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} That’s the full story… I hope it answers your questions. 

 

Wow… I had no idea…

 

Hayato: Thank you for telling me Fusume… but… are you sure that this is really on you…? You did what you thought was best… didn’t you?

 

Fusume: {Confident} I appreciate what you’re doing… but there’s no point Hayato… this is most definitely my fault.

 

Fusume: {Nostalgic smile} I’ve… spent enough time thinking about it to know that for a fact… this was my mistake… and I’ll have to live with that from now on. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} …

 

 

I… don’t think that pushing her on this topic will do any good, she already opened up enough for one day. I’m glad she trusts me enough for her to tell me all that. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Enough about me… let’s… go back to what we were doing okay? We’ve spent sufficient time discussing the issue.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} … 

 

Still… even after all that… I can’t help but feel there’s something she isn’t telling me. 

 

I don’t know how to explain it… something just… feels odd. 

 

There’s something else to that story… I’m sure of it. 

 

Maybe we’re not close enough for her to tell me everything just yet… I should spend more time with her in the future… perhaps that’ll be enough. 

 

Full story or not… I’ve learnt a lot about Fusume today… this accident… it explains a lot about her personality today… and about her fear of letting her friends down… I just wish I could help her… somehow. 

 

I definitely understand Fusume a lot better now. 

 

{Fusume’s report card has been updated based on your experience with her}

 

 

After we were done talking, we realised that 10 AM was just a few minutes away. 

 

Monokuma’s Bulletin seems to contain crucial pieces of information… that’s why we cannot miss it, especially not today. 

 

Without a second to lose, we both made our way back to the evidence locker. 

 

{Auto-move to Green Building - Evidence locker}

 

{Scene opens in the evidence locker, everybody but Kenji is here}

 

I arrived just on time for the bulletin and to my big surprise…

 

Jessie {Livid, empty eyes} … 

 

Jessie’s here…? After this morning?

 

Hayato: Hikari… did you manage to-

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Don’t bother… she won’t talk to us… I haven’t even managed to get her to open her door… she just came out a few minutes ago and hasn’t spoken to me since. 

 

Hayato: Oh… I see. 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Well… the fact that she’s here is still a good sign… it’s a step in the right direction. 

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps backpack} No… it’s not. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} I’m not here… for you. Don’t get it twisted.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} H-Huh?

 

Jessie: I… just want to see the bulletin for myself… then I’ll be on my way. 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping} What I said this morning… still applies. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Jessie…

 

She’s really adamant on leaving the group… I’m afraid that just waiting wasn’t the right thing to do… was it?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Jessie… please… don’t leave us like Kenji did…

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} It’s… too late. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Please… reconsider-

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I’m afraid that the time has come… it is now 10 AM… the Monokuma Bulletin will start promptly. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

This is really hard for Hikari… I can see that she blames herself for Jessie’s refusal…  it’s clearly not her fault though… I wish she could see that for herself.

 

Reijiro is right though… the bulletin is about to start… I guess I’ll see what I can do for Hikari after it’s done. 

 

 

As if on cue, the TV screen lit up and we all turned to face it.

 

{Sudden zoom on the TV Screen which lights up, a pair of dancing Monokumas are shown on screen as the title “Monokuma Bulletin” appears in golden letters}

 

He hasn’t changed the jingle… it’s just as annoying as yesterday.

 

{After a few more seconds, Monokuma appears on screen, sitting at what appears to be a newscaster’s desk}

 

Monokuma: Greetings one and all to another episode of the Monokuma Bulletin, where we uncover some more aspects of your forgotten lives. 

 

Monokuma: Glad to see so many of you here to watch me live!

 

Monokuma: This is a pre-recorded video so I have no idea how many of you are watching… but I’ll just assume that you all came!

 

Monokuma: Now… boy do I have news for you today… you’re here because you want yet another audio snippet from your past and I’ve got a good one to show you… right about now. 

 

Monokuma: Keep your ears peeled and please enjoy this gem upupupu… 

 

I don’t like the tone he’s using… whatever it is he’s about to show us… I think we’re not going to enjoy it. 

 

Maybe I’m overthinking things… I’ll just wait and see for now. 

 

 

 

 

???: How… how did this happen?

 

??? 2: F-Fuck… did Jiro do this?

 

??? 3: Mmph… let us stay calm…

 

??? 2: What the fuck are you talking about!? There’s… a dead girl in front of us… we… need to do something right the fuck now!

 

Those voices… they’re my classmates once again… 

 

Hikari: Jiro wouldn’t have done something like this! It can’t be him!

 

Kenji: He told us what he was planning… maybe it went wrong… and she ended up taking the collateral damage… 

 

Reijiro: The police will be here soon…

 

Reijiro: Where is he dammit!?

 

Hikari: Jiro!!!? Where are you!!?

 

??? 4: He must have left the building already… you know how he is. 

 

Th-That voice… that’s impossible… it’s…

 

It’s me…

 

Hayato: What do we do in this situation?

 

Kenji: We need to save Jiro’s ass… we can’t let him go down for this!

 

Reijiro: Are you really suggesting we interfere with a murder scene… are you out of your mind?

 

Hikari: Oh my god… she’s dead… sh-she’s dead… waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!

 

Kenji: Shut up!!! You’re going to draw attention to us! 

 

Reijiro: Good! We need to call the police… and considering that they took our cellphones on the way in… we need somebody to come and help us… 

 

Reijiro: This is not our battle… we cannot get involved in this.

 

Kenji: You’re really going to let Jiro down!? After everything that’s happened!?

 

Reijiro: I am sorry… but we are only students… this is out of our hands… we cannot do anything to help.

 

Kenji: You just don’t want to get your hands dirty you coward! I… I won’t let this end like this!

 

Reijiro: You are threatening to put all of our futures in jeopardy with your  rash decisions… please, just take a second to think about what you are doing. 

 

Hikari: Why did I volunteer to come here…? Why did I do it!?

 

Hayato: G-Guys! Calm down!

 

Kenji: Don’t fucking tell me to calm down!

 

Hayato: Just listen to me for a second… 

 

Hayato: I think I’ve got a plan… 

 

 

 

 

{Monokuma is back on screen} 

 

Monokuma: Some familiar voices once again… I wonder what the context behind this conversation is… 

 

Monokuma: I’m sure you have a lot to discuss so I won’t take any more of your time!

 

Monokuma: See you tomorrow for yet another exclusive and don’t forget that if you want all the information right now… the safe is just a murder away from being opened!

 

Monokuma: Toodles!

 

{The screen turns off} 

 

What… the hell was that…!!?

 

It’s… always weird to hear your own voice recorded isn’t it? You never recognise yourself because of how your brain perceives your voice while you speak.

 

Now imagine that feeling but with something you don’t remember saying… and that something is… covering up a murder. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Before you say anything else… I don’t know anything about this… I don’t recall this conversation at all!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… neither can I. This recording must date from the year which we have forgotten about. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… you don’t remember anything either do you?

 

Hayato: No… I’ve got nothing. 

 

This feels so surreal… I don’t remember anything about that conversation…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What was that all about man…? Were you really… covering up a murder?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} And who’s… Jiro? That name doesn’t ring any bells.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I have no idea who that is… but we were clearly quite adamant in protecting him…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Especially Kenji…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It’s a shame that he isn’t here with us to talk us through that. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast} I don’t think he’d remember… and even if he did he wouldn’t tell us anything so no regrets there. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Still… if this is not fabricated… that’s kind of a scary recording. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Indeed, I’m afraid it’s going to be hard to explain what you guys were saying without more context. 

 

Hayato: I… don’t want to believe that we messed with a murder scene… but this can’t have been fabricated right?

 

Hayato: That was most definitely my voice…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I do find it hard to believe that our voice could have been copied with such precision… as unbelievable as this is… I believe that it really was us four in that recording. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} But… what were we doing at a crime scene…? This… doesn’t make any sense. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} You’re all… murderers…

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} J-Jessie!?


Jessie: I… did well to come here today… clearly… you all conspired to kill someone… you’re all… killers.

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps backpack} I… can’t… trust… killers.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} N-No… Jessie, wait!

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping} You’re… not worth… my trust… {Leaves} 

 

Hikari: {Sad} D-Dammit… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} God dammit!!!!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} H-Hikari… please, don’t let it get to you man… she’s… not feeling well and everything… I’m sure she doesn’t think you’re actually killers…

 

I… don’t know that for a fact… it’s starting to look like she’s convincing herself of our untrustworthiness… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} *Sigh* Contrarily to Jessie’s belief… I don’t think that what we’ve just heard makes any of you a killer… however, the fact that you were prepared to defend a supposed murderer does ask the question of who exactly Jiro is. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Nobody’s got a family member named Jiro do they?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} If it was a family member we’d remember them… this must be someone that you four met during our first year at Hope’s Peak… correct? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Yes… I believe that is indeed the case. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Until we figure out who this Jiro is… I’m afraid we won’t get too far in trying to understand what you guys were talking about.

 

Hikari, Reijiro, Kenji and myself were somewhere with a guy called Jiro… who then killed a girl… and we tampered with the crime scene to protect him… 

 

I… came up with a plan… to save Jiro… 

 

Who… is he? And why… did I do that?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} This is… very perplexing indeed… and seemingly unrelated to yesterday’s bulletin. 

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} It looks like Monokuma’s purposefully showing us snippets of our past that make no sense by themselves in order to confused us

 

Fusume: {Confident} They don’t make sense… yet… but this time we’ve got something to base our research on… the name Jiro. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} It’s not that common of a first name… is it?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The important part is that we know where to look. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} We do?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} We are looking for someone who the four of us met during our first year at Hope’s Peak… it would seem logical for this boy to be a schoolmate of ours. 

 

A… schoolmate?

 

Reijiro: We were not the only class at the academy… perhaps we are dealing with a student from another class… or from an older year… either way, the yellow building’s archive contained numerous files about Hope’s Peak… if we find somebody by that name… we will have our answer!

 

Hayato: That makes sense… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I’ll look for it… I’ve gone through those files quite a few times already… I’ll get through it quickly!

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, bends forward} If that’s the case then I will continue our search of the evidence locker by myself… I’ll try to be as efficient as you were.

 

Fusume: {Bows} Thank you Shinto… I appreciate that greatly.

 

Reijiro: {Understanding smile} I propose that the rest of you continue with what you were doing this morning… every little bit helps. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} And please… do not misinterpret what we have just heard… none of us know exactly what the four of us were talking about… so please… do not make rash assumptions on what any of that meant. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} If we really were complicit to murder… I am convinced that there must have been a good reason behind it. 

 

Reijiro is acting somewhat defensive… but I can understand where he’s coming from… he just heard himself going against his own values…

 

I’m pretty sure that he’s projecting when he says that… he doesn’t want to assume that he acted badly so he tells us not to do that. 

 

Still… I hope that he’s right… I don’t want to imagine that we helped a murderer get away from his crime…

 

Reijiro: Now please… go on with your day… and try to make it productive. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I’ll… do my best to try to understand what all of this meant!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I’ll try not to disappoint you man… 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Let’s make this a valuable afternoon!

 

{The three of them leave} 

 

Reijiro, Fusume and myself were left alone in the restaurant. I didn’t really have anything to tell them, so I made my way back to my room. 

 

Just as I was heading out, I heard a deep voice right behind me. 

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} Delivery service…

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} H-Hey, why is it just you three!? Do you kids not care about the bulletin at all?

 

Reijiro: All of us but one watched it… you just missed the rest of the group. 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Mhm… Monokuma can’t even be bothered to send me out on time… what a waste… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Kurozo… what are you doing here?

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} Monokuma sent me here to deliver a reward to you guys… you see…

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} One of you got so close to the truth that they were awarded part of their memories back… apparently that’s worth celebrating. 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Wh-What did you say!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} One of us… got their memories back?

 

That’s… impossible!

 

Hayato: Why didn’t that person speak up?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Turns out the student in question said that they’d rather keep their cards to themselves for now… a decision which I respect. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} When… did this happen?

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} This morning… they found an important clue and Monokuma rewarded them with some memories… not all… but some. 

 

Why… would somebody lie to us like that… I thought we were supposed to trust each other and work together…

 

Unless it’s Kenji or Jessie… one of us is lying… and now remembers stuff which they haven’t shared with the group…

 

And judging by what the memories did to Kyia, Rina, Tadao and Oriana… this is very bad news. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} You said… that you had a reward for us… why?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Let’s just say that your classmate was benevolent… and decided to share their reward with the entire class… to compensate for keeping their identity secret or something.  

 

This… makes less and less sense. 

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} So here, take this… 

 

He hands Fusume a folded newspaper article. 

 

She quickly unfolds it and we see… 

 

{Camera zooms in on the newspaper article, it reads “Crucial witness in Muratagi case to testify in court!”}

 

{Camera then pans down to show a picture of Hayato in a police blanket with blood on his face. He’s staring straight at the camera} 

 

What the…

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What is this…? Why is Hayato on that picture!?

 

Hayato: Crucial witness in… Muratagi case? Where have I heard that name before?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Muratagi… Kanna Muratagi. That was the victim in the Caspian case which we studied a few trials back.

 

That’s… right!

 

{Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Head down, glasses shining} Hey, before you proceed to panic, I propose we take a look to the article.

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} That sounds reasonable.

 

And so, Reijiro firmly took the article in his hands and started reading it before turning pale.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} This… this is…

 

Kenji: What is it?? What does it say?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Only one way to find out.

 

Hikari stood up and leaned on Reijiro’s shoulder, glancing at the article, soon enough we all piled up behind them to try to get a peak at the newspaper.

 

 

That’s when I saw it .

 

{Close up on the article, the headline reads: “The Caped Kidnapper wanted for murder!”, a picture of a dark silhouette is shown on a wanted poster}

 

Wanted for murder? What the hell? I thought this guy only kidnapped people…

 

{The article reads : “If you doubted whether the Caped Kidnapper was a criminal or not, this should be proof enough, Caspian’s mission to kidnap Tetsuji Kuzuryu ended with the death of his personal secretary Kanna Muratagi”}

 

What is this…?

 

Hikari: Flip the page Reijiro, there’s probably more on the next page.

 

Reijiro: …

 

Kôzuke: Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: Ah… sorry.

 

He flipped to the page and we saw…

 

{The next page features a large picture of a dead blond woman crumbled on the floor, her throat having been slit}

 

Oriana: Kyaaah! A dead body?

 

Yoko: That’s… Kanna Mutaragi?

 

{The article reads: “The poor girl was in the wrong place at the wrong time and when she confronted Caspian, he killed her without hesitation. Kuzuryu testifies. The suspect is on the run from the police. If you witness any sight regarding the criminal, contact the authorities immediately“

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Kanna Muratagi… the victim in the incident that made Caspian a public enemy… I… was a witness in it?

 

What the hell… why was I there? At the Kuruzyu’s office…? Why am I covered in blood…?

 

Why… can’t I remember…

 

I feel like… I’m about to go… crazy… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato!

 

Hayato: H-Huh?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Snap out of it! You look like you’re having a panic attack!

 

Hayato: I’m s-sorry… but… that article.

 

Reijiro: {Understanding smile} We get it… but what I said before still applies… we cannot rush to conclusions until we have all the fact.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} This is simply… another piece of this complex puzzle. 

 

Hayato: But… this piece concerns me! And… I’ve got blood on my face dammit!

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Please… try to calm down… 

 

Hayato: Kurozo! What does this mean!? Tell me!!!!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I’m afraid I can’t help you… not with this at least. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What do you mean… not with this? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Are you implying that… you can help us with something else?

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Yes, that’s what I’m saying… 

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} Before I say anything… you must know that this is completely off the record… Monokuma cannot know about this. 

 

Hayato: It’s not like we’re going to tell him… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} He’s taken control of the killing game once more… and he’s making a mess of it… which is why…

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} I’m willing… to help you guys as much as I can!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Y-You’re joking!

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} I’m perfectly serious… I cannot do much without him noticing… but I’ll do what I can… starting right now. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} What is it… that you can do for us?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I’ll need you three to give me your Resident IDs. I’ll modify them… so that you have new features which might help you in the future… 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} I can also make sure that he can’t track you anymore using those tablets… which I believe is something that might interest you. 

 

Reijiro: That is interesting…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} But why should we trust you? 

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} You have no alternative… and… don’t you realise?

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} We have the same enemy… and we both want to take him down. 

 

Hayato: But… you’re also our enemy!

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} I don’t have control over anything any more…I’m almost as powerless as you kids… this is the only thing that I can do. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forwards} But if we work together… then perhaps we’ll manage… 

 

Hayato: You want us to work with you? Are you insane-

 

Fusume: {Confident} I’ll do it. You can have my Resident ID.

 

Hayato: F-Fusume!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} We… don’t have anything to lose… and in the position we’re in… it’s time to make a gamble. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I’ll have faith in you Kurozo… what’s the worst that can happen. 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You’ve made the right decision!

 

She handed her ID to him. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… if she trusts you… then I suppose that I will too.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} However… if you are to deceive us… I will make you regret it!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Consider me threatened.

 

He too, gave him his ID

 

Hayato: Reijiro… you too…

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Hayato… you’re the only one left.

 

Reijiro: What will you do?

 

Fusume: {Confident} The choice is yours… Hayato. 

 

If he’s being honest… then this could be a big help… but I… I… 

{Flashback} 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Hayato. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Y-Yes?

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} You did well today. 

 

Hayato: I did? 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Yes… the entire class survives thanks to your insight. 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} I just hope that you’ll realise soon enough that this is not fiction!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} What…?

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} You come here with such confidence… determined and grinning when you identify a murderer… but you forget that you’re not the detective in a novel… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} These are real lives you’re dealing with… and you’re just playing a role… living your detective fantasies!

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} That’s not-

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I have said my piece… farewell. {Disappears} 

 

{Ends Flashback }

 

Hayato: I’m sorry… I can’t do it… I don’t trust you Kurozo. 

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} Fair enough… that is your loss. 

 

Kurozo: I shall not disappoint the two of you… expect me to get back to you soon.

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Farewell… and good luck {Disappears}

 

 

Hayato: I’m sorry…

 

Fusume: {Softly} Do not apologize… I understand your decision. We’ll figure out soon enough how trustworthy he is. 

 

Hayato: I guess we will… 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} It is getting late… We should all move one to a more productive activity.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Yes… we should. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato… please… do not let this article get inside your head… we will figure out what this means together… and it’ll all be okay… you hear me?

 

Hayato: Yes… thank you…

 

Fusume: {Content} I’ll see you both tonight!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} One last thing… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} For the good of everyone… I suggest we keep this article… and our reasons for obtaining it to ourselves for now. 

 

Hayato: What happened to being honest with the group?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The situation is hard enough as is… if we tell the other four that one of us might be a dangerous psychopath who is lying to everybody… it will not help in the slightest. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} We shall tell them when the time is right. 

 

Hayato: I guess… that’s fine by me. Do whatever. 

 

Hayato: I’ll see you both later. 

 

Overwhelmed by the thoughts in my head. I quickly left the restaurant and went back to my room. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room}

 

This is a living nightmare… I… don’t know who I am… and what my old self got involved in…  

 

I need to get my mind off these things… fast… or I really will have a nervous breakdown. 

 

Let’s… make this afternoon productive. 

 

{Free time starts}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdSYNKNagU )



{Exit Black Building} 

 

{Move to Blue Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{Move to Computer lab} 

 

{Reijiro is here} 

 

{Talk to Reijiro} 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… I assume you want to join me…? 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I welcome your help… but are you sure you have nothing better to do with your time?

 

Do I want to spend time with Reijiro?

 

{Yes/No} 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I see… in that case then please… take a seat. 

 

 

I spent the afternoon going through Raiko’s files with Reijiro. 

 

To be perfectly fair… I thought he could the easy end of the bargain when he was assigned to the online files but I now understand that it’s likely just as long a task as Fusume’s. 

 

Reijiro was completely focused on the computer screen. He barely said a word to me all afternoon. I don’t blame him though, getting this right is the priority. 

 

Even though we didn’t speak much… I learnt a lot about how Reijiro approaches such an assignment. 

 

As expected, it’s very methodical and thoughtful. It’s very interesting to watch him work… 

 

I definitely understand him a bit better. 

 

 

Hayato: …

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Mmph… go on.

 

Hayato: Wh-What? What did I do?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Come on… I know what that look means… you're going to ask me yet another intrusive and… somewhat futile question. 

 

Hayato: I… haven’t even said anything… and hey! I don’t do that!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Really? Then I do beg your pardon, I must have misunderstood your body language. 

 

That guy…

 

 

 

 

Hayato: Okay so I did have a question… but it’s not intrusive… nor is it futile… I think. 

 

Reijiro: {Amused} Heh… as usual… there is no stopping you. 

 

Hayato: I mean… you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} As I said… go on. 

 

Hayato: I guess it is kind of weird… but I was wondering… what’s your favorite book you’ve ever read.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Hm… a complex question… but I suppose a wiser question than I expected. 

 

Thanks?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Mmph… let me think… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} You know a lot about books… correct?

 

Hayato: I… don’t know everything you need to know… but I guess it’s a topic I’m pretty comfortable in.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Then I think you will agree that it would take hours of reflexion in order to give a coherent answer to that question. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Cutting down to a single work of literature… it is an impossible task. 

 

Reijiro: {Arms extended over head} How does… a particular genre compare to another? Or a certain time period to a much later era…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} How can you make a decision between Jane Austen and Montaigne… between Isaac Asimov and Shakespeare… or between Socrates and Murakami… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It is… simply impossible to balance… to make a single choice. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} If you had asked me about a specific genre… then perhaps I could have given an answer… but giving a single book out of the millions of works that we have been graced with since the birth humanity… 

 

Reijiro: {Bows} I cannot do what you ask… do forgive me. 

 

That’s… a much deeper answer than I was expecting… I was just trying to make conversation after all… 

 

Hayato: I see… maybe I should have thought about that before asking. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Please… do not blame yourself… it is an interesting inquiry and yet a very complex one… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I wonder… could you respond to that question yourself?

 

Hayato: Well… I haven’t thought about it much to be honest with you… but I think that I could probably make a choice. 

 

Hayato: O-Of course… I’m sure I haven’t read as many books as you… that does make it easier, I think. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Yes… that is likely… I have probably read more books than anyone my age… in fact, that is a certainty. 

 

Reijiro: {Amused} Before you say anything… that is not a brag… I had no choice but to go through a colossal amount of books when I was younger… that was the only way I had to educate myself… 

 

Hayato: To… educate yourself?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I went to school… of course… but I always looked for something more… something that your average teacher could not teach you… 

 

Reijiro: {Sad expression, rubs eye} With no one who could fulfil my needs… I suppose that literature became my real teacher… so I read… and I read… I read to exhaustion at times… but I had to continue… if I wanted my questions to be answered. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Thinking about it now… I suppose I’ve never really read for pleasure… it was always for knowledge… 

 

Reijiro: {Sad expression, rubs eye} It was a necessity…

 

What… do I respond to that… I didn’t think the conversation could take such a turn.

 

Hayato: That… is definitely a shame… I understand where you’re coming from… but to me, reading’s the perfect escape from reality. 

 

Hayato: I’ll always remember something my mother told me… “reading is dreaming with your eyes open”. That’s the way I see it… it’s a break from all my problems… a way to recharge my batteries if you will. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… I see… that is definitely… an interesting perspective…

 

Hayato: Hey, the black building’s library is full of books… why not take advantage of our captivity and try to read something… for pleasure this time. 

 

Hayato: I could even make a recommendation or two if you’d like. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mhmmh… perhaps…

 

Reijiro: {Understanding smile} Perhaps, I shall take you up on that offer. Thank you for that. 

 

… 

 

Reijiro looked genuinely grateful… I can’t say I’ve seen that expression on his face too often. 

 

I’m glad I could have contributed to that. I didn’t expect the conversation to go this way… so I’m happy I managed to finish on a good note.

 

Books are my entire life… and I honestly think It’d be a shame for someone as cultivated as Reijiro to miss such an aspect of literature. 

 

Talking to him did make me realise that getting his Ultimate title wasn’t as smooth sailing as I expected… he worked his ass off for this… and I definitely respect him for that. 

 

He’s slowly letting me into that hard shell of his… I don’t think he’d admit it but… we are friends, and that means something to me. 

 

I understand him a lot better now. 

 

{Reijiro’s report card has been updated based on your experience with him}

 

Time flew by and the day ended quickly. 

 

When we realised how late it was, Reijiro and myself both decided to head to the restaurant for the evening meeting. Hoping that somebody had finally made the breakthrough we needed. 

 

{Auto-move to Restaurant}

 

{Everybody but Kenji and Jessie are here} 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Looks like everybody who we’re expecting is here.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… if that is the case, then let us begin. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Good evening everyone… I have big news tonight. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Y-You do!?

 

That… was quick. 

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, bends forward} Did you find something… about Jiro?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Indeed… I did. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Then tell us more man!

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I found some admission records for this year… or last year, I suppose. 

 

Fusume: All sixteen of us were there… but the record didn’t specify who was in which class… one thing’s for sure though…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Jiro Kojima definitely attended Hope’s Peak academy at the same time as we did. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I see…

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} I knew it man… this isn’t good… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Why would a Hope’s Peak student… commit a murder? It doesn’t make any sense. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} I think… that I might have an idea.

 

Hayato: Shinto?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You might not like what I’m about to say… but it makes sense… to me at least. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} A way to explain who this Jiro Kojima is… and why he was put in such a situation… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

{Camera shows the class picture that was presented by Monokuma a few days back} 

 

Shinto: What if… Jiro was the sixteenth member of our class… the one Tadao replaced! 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} What… could this mean…?

 

After the mascots left, I approached the others and upon closer inspection, I quickly understood what was bothering Reijiro and Fusume with that picture.

 

{Camera zooms on the picture to show an unknown purple haired boy in the top right corner}

 

Hayato: Who… is this guy?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} This makes no sense whatsoever… we have seen this exact same picture before… when Monokuma told us about our missing memories. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Everybody’s there… Kyia, Fukami… all of them. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} All of them except for Tadao… and in his place, this boy.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Doesn’t anybody recognise him?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’ve uh… never seen him in my entire life man… 

 

Hayato: He does vaguely resemble Tadao… but this is clearly a different person. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Shinto:  {Frowns} Not only would this explain why you guys were so convinced you had to defend him… it might explain the murder he got himself in…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Shinto… what are you talking about?

 

He… doesn’t mean… 

 

Shinto: If Tadao took Jiro’s place… then perhaps Jiro… is the real Caspian!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Whaaaaat!?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} It cannot be!

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, bends forward} The murder he got involved in… it makes a lot of sense if he’s Caspian… doesn’t it?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Caspian was accused of murder… Tetsuji Kuzuryu’s secretary… right?

 

N-No… not this again… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Maybe… that’s what you guys were talking about during that bulletin!

 

Jiro… is Caspian? Does that… explain the news article? 

 

I… don’t understand anything… anymore. 

 

Why… did I get involved?

 

Shinto: Of course… that’s just a theory… maybe I’m completely off the mark. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} We have no way of knowing for sure… do we?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} There’s… something else… I found something else. 

 

Hayato: What… is it?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Jiro… is dead. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} …

 

Shinto: {Shocked} …

 

Hayato: WHAT!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} According to the file that I found… he died under mysterious circumstances… but there was no real investigation because… the police force were too busy with current events.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Current events… could it be… the tragedy?

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} That is also what I thought. 

 

Jiro… died under mysterious circumstances…? That must mean something…

 

Was he… murdered?

 

Hikari: {Sad} He… died… is that why Tadao took his place in the killing game?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Could be… but then… who exactly is Tadao? And… how did Jiro die?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} And… who was Caspian…? Which of the two?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} T-Too many questions man! It’s making my head hurt! 

 

???: I’ve heard enough!

 

Hayato: H-Huh?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} You lot are pitiful… seriously!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Kenji!? What are you doing here?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I might be an evil monster… but I still need food to survive… I came here to have a bite.

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} I couldn’t help but eavesdrop on your conversation though… you’re in quite the pickle aren’t you?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What are you talking about?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Let’s see here… you guys are all about trusting each other and having faith and bla bla fucking bla… but the conclusion you’re reaching… don’t you get what this means?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Stop being cryptic and get to the point!

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} Tell me if I got this wrong but… it seems to me like this Jiro guy was part of the class… and he was murdered… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We d-don’t know that for sure!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} We do though… mysterious circumstances… that means murder… in any language you want

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Now… let’s put two and two together shall we? 

 

Kenji: The world has ended… and all of our classmates who got their memories back either killed someone or tried to do so… all of them had their personality completely altered… just by going back to how they were before. 

 

Kenji: So… who are we really!? Why do we all turn into murderous maniacs once we revert back to our previous self?

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} I don’t have the answer to that question… but one thing’s for sure… we were all pretty hateable people… wouldn’t you agree?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} N-No… that hasn’t been proved!?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} You guys are just ignoring the truth… but of course it’s been proved… our true selves… are killers… that’s a fact

 

Kenji: Why do you think Jessie and I got away from you all? We… don’t really know each other… not the real us!

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} You guys kicked me away for being crazy… but… we’re all crazy? Don’t you see?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} If Jiro was murdered… then it’s obvious that he was murdered by one of us!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-No!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Wake up dammit! Why do you think we’re here!? Forced to kill each other!

Kenji: {Furious} We’ve been put in hell! And that’s because… we deserve hell! Whatever we’ve done… 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} This group doesn’t mean anything! You’re all going to die… one by one… because that’s how this works!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} At the end of the day… the bitch was right… it’s every man for himself… 

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} But stop thinking we’re victims here… we’ve been put in this game… and now we’re trying to get our memories back… don’t you get it!? 

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} We’re all here… for a reason. 

 

Kenji: {Snickers} And you lot… are in big big trouble! 

 

He uttered those words… and just walked off to the buffet, snickering to himself. 

 

None of us said a thing… what were we supposed to say?

 

Kenji had just turned my world completely upside down. Was… I blind to the truth all this time? 

 

Could… he be right? Were we brought here… because of something we did?

 

I… covered up for a murder… didn’t I? I was covered in blood… Kanna Muratagi’s blood. 

 

Why…? Why did this happen? What did I do?

 

Who… are we?

 

Who… am I!?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Hayato. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Y-Yes?

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} You did well today. 

 

Hayato: I did? 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Yes… the entire class survives thanks to your insight. 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} I just hope that you’ll realise soon enough that this is not fiction!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} What…?

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} You come here with such confidence… determined and grinning when you identify a murderer… but you forget that you’re not the detective in a novel… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} These are real lives you’re dealing with… and you’re just playing a role… living your detective fantasies!

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} That’s not-

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I have said my piece… farewell. {Disappears} 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

N-No… that’s not me… that’s not who I am! I won’t accept it!

 

Kenji: Hey Hayato!

 

I looked up to see that Kenji was now standing just next to me. I hadn’t heard him approach. He leaned in and whispered:

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} Meet me at the gallery tomorrow… 10 AM. Be on time… 

 

Hayato: Why!?

 

Kenji: You’ll understand soon enough.

 

And just like that he walked off… leaving me confused as ever. 

 

 

 

 

Kôzuke: {Crying inside helmet} …

 

Hikari: {Distressed} This… this isn’t true… Kenji’s just trying to scare us…

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} …

 

Fusume: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

 

Hayato: F-Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Panicked} F-Forget everything… the meetings… the investigation… forget it all… 

 

Fusume: FORGET IT ALL!!!!!! {Leaves} 

 

She ran off… crying…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} N-No… wait! Please wait! {Leaves} 

 

Reijiro chased her out of the cafeteria… and once again we were left in silence. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I think… we’ve had enough… for the day… 

 

Kôzuke: I’ve had enough… for a lifetime… {Leaves} 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} I’m sorry everyone… I’m sorry… Yoko… {Leaves}

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … {Leaves} 

 

Suddenly… I was left alone in the restaurant… 

 

I have no reason to stay here. 

 

{Auto-move to Hayato’s room}

 

I felt… nothing… 

 

I have nothing left to feel… 

 

I don’t know who I am… 

 

I don’t know… what to do anymore…

 

Who am I…? And who are my classmates?

 

Are we really… bad people?

 

Were we put in hell for a reason?

 

What… have I done…?

 

How… do I live… under these conditions?

 

 

 

 

In a half-conscious sort of state, I set an alarm for 10 AM and went straight to bed. 

 

I didn't know what Kenji wanted with me… but I thought that I might as well go to that meeting… I had nothing else to do… nothing to lose. 

 

I fell asleep, a sad… dreamless sleep. 

 

 

 

 

Monokuma Theater

 

Monokuma: I love myself a good season finale. 

 

Monokuma: All my favorite TV shows’ best episodes are the finales. 

 

Monokuma: They always manage to lift up the stakes, do something special before setting up the next season in exciting fashion!

 

Monokuma: There needs to be another season though… I don’t want these stories to end. 

 

Monokuma: If it was up to me… TV shows would never end… they’d just go on… season after season…

 

Monokuma: And every time… the last episode in a season would be the best… until the next season. 

 

Monokuma: This cycle would go on and on and on… an infinite loop… solely for my enjoyment!

 

 

Monokuma: Why am I telling you this you ask? 

 

Monokuma: No reason… no reason at all upupupupupu!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

H-Huh! What time is it?

 

 

9:39. I slept through the morning announcement… not even that cacophony managed to wake me up… 

 

My alarm hasn’t gone off yet… but I don’t have much time before my meeting with Kenji… 

 

To be honest… I’m not sure why I bother… but something tells me I don’t want to miss what he’ll have to say. 

 

I don’t really have anything better to do… judging by how yesterday’s meeting went… we won’t have another one of those for some time. 

 

If he wastes my time… then I’ll just come back here and sleep all day… that’s what I feel like doing. 

 

There’s no point… in doing anything else. 

 

… 

 

I should get going. 

 

{Auto-move to Gallery} 

 

{Kenji is here} 

 

Kenji: {Surprised} Hayato… you’re here early. 

 

Hayato: I guess I am… for once. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} I wasn’t quite ready to see you just yet… but we’ll have to make do. 

 

Hayato: What did you want to tell me Kenji… I hope that you’ve called me here for a good reason.

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} Trust me… I did. You’ve got a very good reason to be here. 

 

Hayato: Go on then… tell me. 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} You see… I’ve almost figured it all out… as I said yesterday night… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} But… I’m still missing something… I can’t quite figure out who we are exactly… what our big sin was. 

 

Kenji: You haven’t realised… but I’ve worked more than all of you combined on this… 

 

Kenji: I’ve spent so long trying to understand… and I’m so close… to finally achieving something

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} I… can’t go a second longer… without knowing…

 

Hayato: Okay… and what do I have to do with this?

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} Oh… Hayato… you’re here for a simple reason… there’s only one way for me to finally understand…

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} One way to finally be at peace with everything… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy0JuVXTcUw )

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laugh} I need to get… that safe open…

 

Hayato: K-Kenji… what are you saying?

 

Kenji: {Pulls out knife, deranged expression} It’s nothing personal… Hayadog. 

 

Hayato: Kenji… no!

 

Kenji: You’re always the one who figures out who did it… and I can’t die in here… so you have to go… so that I can finally escape. 

 

Hayato: Y-You don’t have to do this!

 

Kenji: {Pulls out knife, deranged expression} I do… I… d-do… I DO!!! 

 

Without another word, Kenji lunged at me, knife in hand. 

 

I jumped to my right and barely missed his attack. 

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laugh} Come back here Hayadog… don’t make this harder than it has to be. 

 

Kenji: We’re so close… so close… I’ll… finally… make it out. 

 

Hayato: P-Please… stop… 

 

I found myself slumped against the far wall of the gallery, for the first time since we got here… I feared for my life.

 

I… was about to die… 

 

After everything that we accomplished… the friendships I’d made… the truths I’d learnt… the tasks I’d overcome. 

 

I was going to get murdered… and everything was going to end. 

 

 

Kenji: If you don’t come to me… I’ll come to you!

 

In a split second… my right hand felt something against the wall… Kyia’s bronze trophy… was right there. 

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laugh} I WILL NOT DIE!!!!!!!!

 

He lunged at me a second time… it was like time was going at half speed for just a second. 

 

I was facing death… with my own eyes… but… I refused. 

 

I refused to die… to let things end this way… 

 

I refused… 

 

Without thinking, I grabbed the trophy and…

 

I slammed it on Kenji’s head… as hard as I could.

 

 

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAZn2LE9gqk)

 

{Camera zooms in to show the fifth victim’s hand, still gripping a small knife. It quickly pans out to show Hayato collapsed against the wall, a terrified look on his face. Right next to the victim’s head… a bloody trophy lays on the floor. A pool of blood is quickly forming… as Hayato cowers in fear. Finally, the camera zooms out completely to show the lifeless body of Kenji Kimata, the Ultimate Survivor}

 

It was him… or I… and I got the better of him… 

 

 

Once I got out of this… trance like state… I realised what this meant… 

 

Kenji was dead… we would have a fifth class trial… 

 

But this time… I wouldn’t be fighting a blackened… I was the blackened… and I’d have to fight everybody else.

 

I killed him… I murdered Kenji

 

Those words started echoing in my head before turning into a discordant array of voices… taking control of my every thoughts.

 

I… am… the blackened…

 

… 

 

It was too much to handle…

 

I lost consciousness. 

 

 

 

 

Notes:

What is this? Danganronpa V3? Well, looks like our protag's in a lot of trouble.

Any ideas on what's happening next or any general theories? Please comment any of those as I'd love to hear what you thought of this twist!

I'm excited to share the rest of this chapter with everyone!

For the time being, I hope you've enjoyed this chapter and I'll see you in the next one!

Chapter 56: Chapter 5 : Monokuma Presents "The Greatest Heist" : Deadly Life

Notes:

We're back (almost) on schedule for the investigation portion of this chapter.

This is bound to be an interesting one… let's see how Hayato approaches this delicate situation.

Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

 

???: Do you plan on waking up any time soon… sleepyhead?

 

Th-That voice…! It’s… 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} You can’t just stay unconscious forever dude… eventually you’ll have to get out there and face reality y’know…

 

Hayato: Kenji… how are you… here?

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} What does that mean?

 

Hayato: How are you… alive? I… I killed you!

 

Kenji: {Snickers} How am I alive huh? That’s the big question isn’t it!

 

Hayato: I saw your body… you… can’t be alive!

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} That’s right… I can’t… and I’m not. 

 

What!?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Looks like your mind’s seriously gone buddy… this obviously isn’t real.

 

Hayato: H-Huh?

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} You said it yourself… I can’t be here talking to you right now, I’m like super dead. 

 

Hayato: Then what is this?

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Some part of your subconscious trying to rationalise what’s happened is my guess… but I definitely can’t say that for sure. 

 

Hayato: So… you’re really dead?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} As a doornail. You hit me pretty damn good… and now the great Kenji Kimata is no more! 

 

Hayato: I’m s-sorry… I didn’t mean to do it… it’s just… y-you attacked me!

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} Did I really?

 

Hayato: Y-Yes! Of course you did!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Heh… maybe… but that doesn’t change anything does it? 

 

Kenji: {Stickers} Self-defense or not… you still murdered me dude… you’re the blackened. 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} It’s your life… or theirs… 

 

Hayato: N-No… no! This… isn’t possible… I can’t do this!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Heh… maybe you oughta think about that next time you bludgeon someone to death!

 

Hayato: Y-you did this to me! This is all your fault!

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} Grow up! It doesn’t matter whose fault this is! 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} What matters now… is that you make it out of there alive!

 

Hayato: Make it out alive? You want me to… win the trial!?

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Hey… you gotta remember I’m just your subconscious speakin’! 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} You want to win the trial Hayato… so go out there and wipe the floor with the six of them! 

 

Hayato: I… can’t do that… I can’t deceive my friends like that!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} If that’s the way you’re thinking… then you’re as dead as I am!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Don’t you get it!? You have no choice but to win the trial… you can’t die in here… not after everything you’ve been through!

 

Hayato: But…

 

Kenji: {Furious} No buts! Stop being such a coward and accept your fate!

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} You’re a murderer now… you better act like one… or you’re done.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} It’s time for you to wake up anyway… so go on… 

 

Kenji: {Scratches hair, playful smile} Im countin’ on you! Make sure my death wasn’t meaningless!

 

Hayato: K-Kenji!

 

{Screen turns to black}

 

He vanished… in fact, he never really existed at all… he’s just a projection… of my guilt.

 

Of this dilemma I have now encountered…

 

Kenji… I’m sorry…

 

 

 

 

{Scene opens mimicking Hayato’s eyes opening}

 

Where… am I?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato! Y-you’re up!

 

Hayato: Fusume…?

 

I lifted my head and looked at my surroundings… someone had brought me to the red building’s infirmary… and judging by the fact that she was waiting by my bedside… I’m guessing that someone was Fusume. 

 

W-Wait… if I’m here… that means that they’ve also discovered the body… 

 

This… cannot be good… 

 

If they found Kenji’s corpse then… they must already know that I did it, right? 

 

There’s no point in me denying it… is there?

 

 

Before I could say anything, Fusume jumped out of her chair and pulled me into a very tight hug.

 

Fusume: I was so… worried about you…

 

Hayato: You were?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Of course I was… what do you think?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} After what we found in the gallery… how could I not be. 

 

What they found… huh? Guess I’m pretty much done for…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Please… tell me what happened to you… 

 

Happened… to me?

 

Hayato: Haven’t you reached a conclusion already?

 

Fusume: {finger on lip} No… not quite… that is what the investigation is for. 

 

Hayato: The investigation… w-wait! How long have I been out for!?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} A few hours I’d say… Monokuma agreed to give us a longer investigation period in order to give you time to investigate the crime scene as well!

 

Monokuma wants me to give me time to investigate huh? How ironic… 


Then again… of course he would do that.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’ve been mainly missing out on the investigation to stay here with you until you’d wake up… which is why I need you to tell me exactly what happened!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I’m sure you’re well aware that your testimony is very important here… 

 

Hayato: Yes… I get that.

 

The way she’s speaking… it’s like she doesn’t actually suspect me… but how is that possible? 

 

Unless somebody messed with the murder scene after I passed out… I can’t see how I’m not the immediate suspect here… 

 

I’m clearly missing some piece of information for this all to make sense… and making a mistake would single me out… 

 

I need to stall for time… and then I’ll see what the optimal angle is…

 

Hayato: My memory’s slightly hazy… I just woke up after all… do you mind telling me what you know first…?

 

I couldn’t come up with anything better… hopefully I’m not being too suspicious… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Hm… I see… maybe… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Okay… I’ll tell you what I know… and then I hope that you’ll be ready to reciprocate!

 

Hayato: S-Sounds good!

 

I’m off the hook… for now. I should listen carefully and see what they know exactly. 

 

That’s not all… I also need to understand what’s up with Fusume…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kôzuke: {Crying inside helmet} …

 

Hikari: {Distressed} This… this isn’t true… Kenji’s just trying to scare us…

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} …

 

Fusume: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

 

Hayato: F-Fusume?

 

Fusume: {Panicked} F-Forget everything… the meetings… the investigation… forget it all… 

 

Fusume: FORGET IT ALL!!!!!! {Leaves} 

 

She ran off… crying…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} N-No… wait! Please wait! {Leaves} 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

She was completely distraught when I last saw her… and now she seems to be back to her usual self… that’s definitely odd. 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} I haven’t done much investigating… so I’m probably not the best person to tell you what the group knows as a whole… but I’ll try to fill in some blanks for you with what I know personally.

 

{Black and white frame of Reijiro and Fusume in a corridor, they both look startled} 

 

Fusume: Since last night ended with me saying that we wouldn’t have a meeting, Reijiro and I decided to spend the morning investigating the green building for ourselves.

 

Fusume: Considering that we both spent the past few days in a single room, we left most of the actual investigating to the rest of the group… that’s why we decided to take a more thorough look for ourselves. 

 

Fusume: A few moments before 10 AM, we were making our way to the evidence room, and that’s when we heard a loud crashing sound coming from the gallery.

 

A loud… crashing sound? That must have been when I…

 

God… I don’t want to think about that moment again… 

 

Fusume: We ran to the gallery, but…the door was stuck… that’s when we knew that something was definitely wrong. 

 

Hayato: The door… was stuck?

 

What the hell…? The door opened just fine when I was there…

 

Hayato: I’m guessing you managed to open it in the end. 

 

{Black and white frame of Fusume and Reijiro entering the gallery, Kenji’s dead body is lying in front of the door}

 

Fusume: Indeed, it turns out that…  it was Kenji’s body that was blocking the door. That’s why we couldn’t open it. 

 

Kenji’s… body? Huh… I guess that makes sense… he did fall right in front of the door after I… hit him. 

 

Fusume: That’s when we found… the both of you… 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} At first… I thought that you were both dead…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You could say that I panicked a little… but… Reijiro kept a cooler head than I did. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} He took your pulse and confirmed that you were only unconscious.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Kenji… wasn’t so lucky. 

 

I… killed him…

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} That’s about all there is to it… the announcement didn’t play considering only two of us saw his body… so Reijiro left to reunite the others while I guarded the crime scene. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} The rest is ordinary stuff… Monokuma gave us his file and that’s about it… you were brought here and I have been watching over you until now…

 

Hayato: I… see…

 

Fusume: {Meditating} The bear said that it would be unfair for you to show up at the trial unprepared… so he said that the real countdown would start from the moment you’d wake up… so now, essentially. 

 

There’s a longer investigation period as well…? This really isn’t boding well for me. 

 

The crime scene is probably right how I left it… which means that it’ll be easy for them to figure out what happened. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Now… if you will… can you tell me what you remember from this morning?

 

That’s the question isn’t it? I need to make a decision right this instant…

 

How do I play this…? 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} You want to win the trial Hayato… so go out there and wipe the floor with the six of them! 

 

Hayato: I… can’t do that… I can’t deceive my friends like that!

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} If that’s the way you’re thinking… then you’re as dead as I am!

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} Don’t you get it!? You have no choice but to win the trial… you can’t die in here… not after everything you’ve been through!

 

Hayato: But…

 

Kenji: {Furious} No buts! Stop being such a coward and accept your fate!

 

Kenji: {Ruffles hair, crazed} You’re a murderer now… you better act like one… or you’re done.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

What do I do…?

 

Do I come clean and… accept death or… do I try to get away with it? 

 

How… did I get in this situation? I can’t believe I have to make a choice like this…

 

I can’t betray the others… but… am I really ready to die? 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… I’m waiting!

 

D-Dammit… I can’t accept this… 

 

I can’t… go down without a fight.

 

Hayato: I… don’t really remember much… all I know is that Kenji asked me to meet him at the gallery at 10 AM last night… so I did.

 

Hayato: I’m not sure what happened once I got here though… everything’s still very fuzzy.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I see…

 

I’m sorry… I… just can’t do it…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It’s not rare to have short term memory loss in this sort of situation… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I sincerely hope you’ll manage to get a grasp on everything sooner rather than later… whatever happened in the gallery this morning… you’re going to be a key witness in the trial… it’d be much simpler if we knew what you know…

 

A key… witness?

 

Hayato: Fusume… be honest with me… do you not think that I killed Kenji?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} …

 

Fusume: {Confident} Did you?

 

Hayato: I… don’t think so… 

 

Yet another convincing answer from me…

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I think you’re well aware that things aren’t looking good for you… judging by how we found the crime scene… I’m sure you understand. 

 

Hayato: Yeah… I get that…

 

Fusume: {Softly} But… you’re no killer Hayato… which is why no matter what things look like…

 

Fusume: {Confident} I will trust you! 

 

Hayato: You will!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Don’t get me wrong… if I find out that you’re behind this… my affection towards you won’t change my vote… 

 

Fusume: {Content} But you’re innocent… I can feel it…

 

I… shouldn’t be deceiving her like that… but… d-dammit…

 

This isn’t the right thing… I know that but… 

 

I’m scared… no, I’m terrified by the idea… of dying… 

 

Fusume: {Pale} …

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Nngh…

 

Hayato: F-Fusume! Are you okay?

 

Fusume: {Shocked} I…

 

Fusume: {Bows} Do forgive me… I’m still not over the fact that Kenji’s… dead…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} He died before we could do anything for him…

 

Yeah… and he tried to kill me…

 

I guess I shouldn’t give that away just yet… 

 

Now… to change the subject effectively…

 

Hayato: Despite what happened… I’m happy to see that you feel better today.

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I did somewhat lose my cool yesterday night… 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Thankfully, Reijiro came to me after I stormed out of the restaurant, he managed to calm me down.

 

Fusume: {Dark look} As a leader… I shouldn’t be letting my emotions get the better of me… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I need to stay strong… for everyone’s sake. 

 

Hayato: That’s true… but you need to make sure you’re not putting too much on your shoulders… your own health is also important.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I know… but I have a certain responsibility within the group… that’s why I cannot let any of you down. 

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} I promised I’d protect you all… and I’ve failed numerous times…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} That’s why I have to do my best! 

 

Hayato: I see…

 

I understand her thinking… but this isn’t healthy… at all. 

 

She’s very strong but I’m worried about her… I think yesterday night clearly showed that she’s not doing very well… 

 

There are obviously more pressing issues… namely, what the fuck am I supposed to do about the class trial!? But still, I should keep an eye on her

 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Now… are you feeling well enough to stand? 

 

Hayato: Yes, I think so.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Then I believe we have spent enough time chatting… we don’t have much time before the class trial… I think you’re going to want to take a look at the crime scene right? I know I do. 

 

Yeah… no matter which side I end up taking… I’m going to need to know what I’m dealing with exactly… I should use this investigation time to figure out what my strategy will be at the class trial. 

 

This won’t be easy… whichever way I end up going… that’s why I need to prepare as best as I can… 

 

Fusume: {Confident} You’re ready to go out there?

 

Hayato: As ready as I’ll ever be…

 

My first investigation on the wrong side of the equation… I’ll have to give it my all… 

 

It doesn’t get much bigger than this… 

 

Let’s do it… 

 

This time more than ever, I’ll be fighting for my life at the class trial.

 

I cannot fail… 

 

I will not fail!

 

{Investigation starts} 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI93nWonug8)

 

Before anything, I have to start by looking at the Monokuma File… I’m not sure I’ll find anything I don’t already know in there but… I should give it a try just to be safe.

 

{Camera shows the Monokuma File displayed on Hayato’s Resident ID}  

 

Monokuma File #5

 

The victim is Kenji Kimata, the Ultimate Survivor, the body was discovered in the Gallery. The time of death is estimated at around 10 AM. The victim died of blunt force trauma after having been hit on the head with a heavy object. There were no other notable injuries on the victim’s body nor traces of poison in his blood. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Yeah… as expected. 

 

He died of blunt force trauma… no doubt about it huh? I 100% killed him when I hit him.

 

I can’t deny that I was hoping that he might have died another way… maybe someone had poisoned his coffee in the morning or something.

 

Well, that dream is dead. He was hit by a heavy object… that trophy… it’s probably still in the gallery.

 

I’ll have to take a good look at it later on. 

 

Either way… I need to remember what the file says so that I don’t make any sort of mistake later on… 

 

{MONOKUMA FILE #5 added to truth bullets} 

 

{Talk to Fusume} 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} Can I help you with anything else?

 

Hayato: Sorry but… do you mind telling me once more your take on this morning’s events?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Sure… I don’t mind… 

 

Fusume: Reijiro and I heard a loud noise coming from the gallery so we came to check out what it was.

 

Fusume: Once we got there, the door was blocked by Kenji’s body so we had to force our way in.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Once we got there, we found his corpse… as well as your unconscious body.

 

Fusume: {Confident} That’s essentially all I know… I’ve spent all of the investigative period here with you. 

 

Hayato: In other words… you and Reijiro can back up each other’s alibis for this morning.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Indeed… we were together all morning… and when we entered the gallery he was already dead… Reijiro can confirm that. 

 

Hayato: I’m sure he will. Thanks Fusume!

 

Fusume: {Content} Not a problem!

 

The two sharpest minds left in the group can back up each other’s alibi… I’m afraid that’s not good for me…

 

I wasn’t planning on pinning the crime on one of them… nor on anybody else for that matter… but still. 

 

This is bad news… unless I confess.

 

Should I confess…?

 

Argh… I have no time for this… I’ll make a decision once I have all the elements of the case clear… 

 

For now, I should focus on the investigation.

 

{FUSUME’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets} 

 

Hayato: Alright… we should get going to the crime scene.

 

Fusume: {Confident} I agree! Let’s-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Is he awake!?

 

Reijiro barged in the infirmary, a sombre expression on his face.

 

Hayato: R-Reijiro!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… that answers my question. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You two should not be wasting time in here… the trial will start soon… 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Go there… before it’s too late. 

 

Reijiro: {Sad expression, rubs eye} I wish… there was another way at this… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Do not… waste… the little time we have…

 

{Leaves} 

 

What… was that?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Reijiro…

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} Excuse him… he’s been hurt quite hard by this murder… I think it was the straw that broke the camel’s back for him… 

 

Hayato: Is that so?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} He’s angry at himself for not stopping it… but that’s not all.

 

There’s more?

 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} He’s pretty much convinced that you did it…

 

Hayato: He’s… what!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I tried telling him that I trusted you but… he won’t listen…

 

Fusume: {Pulls on hair} We’ll have to convince him… at the class trial…

 

So Reijiro is already onto me huh? Not that big of a surprise but… not good at all for me. 

 

It’s good to know that Fusume is on my side… for now.

 

Hayato: I can’t blame him… the circumstances aren’t in my favor… I guess we’ll have to prove it to him. 


Fusume: {Confident} Indeed… let’s go to the gallery already!

 

{Auto-move to Green Building - Gallery} 

 

{Scene opens in Gallery, Fusume and Kôzuke are here} 

 

{Close-up on Kenji’s body}

 

Here he is… a shocked expression stuck on his face… permanently. 

 

All the anger we’d come to associate with him was gone… in its place, the confused look of someone who realises he’s about to die…

 

I did this.

 

I… did… this… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… are you feeling alright?

 

Hayato: Y-Yeah! Sorry… it doesn’t get any easier… seeing our friends dead like that…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’m aware… I wish we could have done something… to save him… 

 

D-Dammit…

 

Fusume: {Meditating} The best thing we can do now is to find out what happened here… that way he can rest… in peace. 

 

Hayato: I guess you’re right.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’ll be right here… examining the body… come join me when you’re ready… 

 

Hayato: Alright, thank you Fusume. 

 

Fusume: {Pale} …

 

 

 

 

This is the place where it happened… I need to gather as many clues as I can… starting with the body…

 

In essence, this investigation will tell me how obvious my guilt is… 

 

No use in delaying the inevitable… let’s get right into it… 

 

{Examine Kenji’s body} 

 

{Close-up on the corpse} 

 

F-Fuck… he’s really dead… 

 

It’s already fucked up to have to examine a classmate’s corpse but… this is so much worse.

 

I need to get over my emotions and think logically… what does the state of his body tell me exactly?

 

I’ll have to take a closer look…

 

{Examine Kenji’s wound} 

 

The back of his head is covered in blood, his long hair stained in that deep red tint. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Whoever hit him didn’t hold back in the slightest.

 

She gently probed his head with her hand.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It’s like his skull has been dented in a way… you would have to hit him very hard to create such a wound. 

 

Hayato: Does that mean the killer is particularly… strong in your opinion?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} No, not necessarily… with a heavy weapon and murderous intentions… I think that most people could have pulled this off. 

 

Nice try Hayato…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I don’t know who’d have… such rage to hit him violently… so cruelly…

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Ahem… s-sorry…

 

Fusume: {Meditating} I presume you want my analysis of the body… right?

 

Hayato: If you’re ready to tell me what you think then yes, that would be useful.

 

Fusume: {Confident} It seems that there’s no doubt about Kenji’s cause of death this time around… he’s been hit in the head with a heavy object… just like the file said… 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} I can almost say with certainty that once the killing blow was struck, he died pretty much instantly… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’ll stick around to see if I can find anything else of importance but… that’s all I’ve got for the moment. 

 

Hayato: Thank you Fusume! That helps!

 

Nothing new here… he died after I hit him… looks I won’t be able to argue that somebody did something to him after I fell unconscious huh?

 

Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that…

 

{FUSUME’S AUTOPSY added to truth bullets} 

 

{Examine Kenji’s hand} 

 

Hey… that’s odd…

 

His right hand is covered in blood even though it’s laying outside of the pool of blood… 

 

Maybe I’m overthinking it… but this feels weird. I don’t remember him touching his wound after I hit him so… how did this blood get there?

 

I’m sure there must be a logical explanation to this… I just have to figure out what it is…

 

I’ll keep it in mind for now… 

 

{BLOOD ON KENJI’S HAND added to truth bullets} 

 

Hold on a second, now that I think about it… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laugh} I need to get… that safe open…

 

Hayato: K-Kenji… what are you saying?

 

Kenji: {Pulls out knife, deranged expression} It’s nothing personal… Hayadog. 

 

Hayato: Kenji… no!

 

Kenji: You’re always the one who figures out who did it… and I can’t die in here… so you have to go… so that I can finally escape. 

 

Hayato: Y-You don’t have to do this!

 

Kenji: {Pulls out knife, deranged expression} I do… I… d-do… I DO!!! 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Kenji was gripping that knife pretty ferociously… he was trying to stab me… right until his death… 

 

But… that knife’s nowhere to be seen… 

 

That’s weird… he definitely still had it when I passed out!

 

So… where is it now…? Somebody must have gotten rid of it during the investigation… why would somebody do that?

 

If he was unarmed then… it makes me look even guiltier!

 

Either I’m completely misinterpreting this or one of the 6 of them… is scheming something… 

 

I need to figure out who that is… and why…

 

{KENJI’S MISSING KNIFE added to truth bullets} 

 

{Examine Trophy} 

 

The murder weapon’s lying a feet or so away from the corpse… a bronze trophy in Kyia’s effigy… I remember seeing it exposed upon first visiting this room…

 

This trophy became involved by pure chance… I was cornered and it was the first object that I found to defend myself. 

 

Still… it’s pretty ironic… Kyia’s been used to murder someone the exact same way he was killed all those days ago… 

 

I’m sorry Kyia… for damaging this award… it’s covered in blood now and… by that fact alone I doubt he’d be too interested in getting it back

 

H-Hey! Now that I look at it more closely… it looks like…

 

{Close-up on the trophy}

 

That’s right… Kyia’s head is missing… it looks like it broke off… probably happened on impact. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Did it roll off or something?

 

 

 

 

No… I’ve basically looked everywhere close to the body… that head is nowhere to be found….

 

First the knife… and now this…? 

 

Except for Fusume and myself… the rest of the group have had completely free access to the crime scene until now… 

 

Someone is tampering with the evidence… yet, this still feels off…

 

I understand why someone would hide Kenji’s knife but… why take Kyia’s head? 

 

I’m missing something… 

 

One thing is for sure… I should be very careful of the other students… somebody’s hiding something…

 

This will likely come up at the class trial… I should be prepared for that!

 

{TROPHY’S HEAD added to truth bullets} 

 

I think that’s all there is to see on the body… I can back out now…

 

 

Worrying stuff… 

 

Not only I’m I now 100% sure that Kenji died after I hit him… I know now that somebody’s been tampering with the crime scene…

 

Does that mean that one of them has already got the upper hand on me…? 

 

I’m in deep, deep trouble if that’s the case.

 

Fuck… being the blackened is so damn exhausting…!

 

 

I don’t know how much more evidence I’ll be finding here… unlike all the other cases we’ve dealt with so far, there was no clever plan… no complex set up… it all happened so fast… 

 

I never meant for this to happen… and seeing as Kenji clearly wasn’t thinking straight, I don’t think he had much else up his sleeve. 

 

There won’t really be any more clues… there shouldn’t be… 

 

I don’t have much hope at all here.

 

Still, I don’t know how much time I’ve got left… I guess I should take another look around the room… just in case… 

 

{Talk to Kôzuke}

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} H-Hayato! You’re okay man…

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} I was… really worried… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} If another one of my friends had died, I don’t know what I would have done… 

 

Hayato: Thank you Kôzuke, I really appreciate your concern.

 

This must be particularly tough for Kôzuke… at first, Kenji and him were really close… then they suddenly weren’t…

 

After Kenji’s attitude… shifted, he made it seem like he didn’t care about him at all anymore… but behind all the pain and anger, I could see that Kôzuke still cared about his friend…

 

And now he’s gone… before they could have fixed their relationship…

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} I can’t believe that Kenji’s gone man… 

 

Hayato: I’m sorry Kôzuke… I know that he meant a lot to you.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Kenji was complicated… and he was really out of it these past few days… but he wasn’t a bad person… I’m sure of it…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} It’s… sad that he’s gone before he could prove that to the rest of the group. 

 

It’s… my fault. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Enough of my sob stories man… I’ll have time to mourn after the class trial…

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} I need to stop being such a coward and… try to be helpful. 

 

Again with the coward talk…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I’m guessing you’ll want to know about my whereabouts this morning right?

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I didn’t kill him… just so it’s clear!

 

Hayato: I know you didn’t Kôzuke.

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} Y-You do?

 

Kôzuke: {Thoughtful, strokes chin} I… see…

 

D-Did I give myself away there?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m sorry man… I don’t know what to believe anymore… I know that you were locked in the room with him and everything… but I don’t want you to be the culprit. 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} Maybe I’m being childish but… I don’t want anybody else to die man! 

 

Hayato: I… I see… 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} As far as this morning goes… since the morning meeting was cancelled I decided to sleep in… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Everything that’s been going on… and that constant fear of death, I was exhausted man!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I just slept… until around 10-ish when somebody’s alarm went off… the walls are pretty thin so it woke me up. 

 

Kôzuke: I am a pretty light sleeper… so that might also explain it…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} That’s pretty much it… I don’t really know anything important regarding the case man… I probably slept through the murder… 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} Sorry for being useless…

 

Hayato: You weren’t useless Kôzuke… you actually just gave me an important piece of information! 

 

Kôzuke: {Thoughtful, strokes chin} I d-did? A-Alright… cool!

 

Kôzuke heard an alarm at 10 AM? I know for a fact who set that alarm… so what Kôzuke has just told me gave somebody a pretty solid alibi… 

 

That’s definitely worth remembering.

 

{KÔZUKE’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets}

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Anyway… you probably have better things to do than talk to little old me… g-go on, do some ultimate investigating or whatever!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} P-Please solve this case man!

 

Hayato: Alright… I’ll uh… do my best!

 

How long can I keep this up?

 

I hate lying… I’ve always been a terrible liar… they’re bound to figure out that I’m hiding something eventually right?

 

{Examine Window} 

 

Hey… I just remembered that this window is actually kind of special. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Y-Yeah, that’s right… some fresh air will do me some good

 

Just got to open it wide and-

 

*WIIIIUIIIIIIUUUUIIIU*

 

What the fuck!?

 

 

I… I think it’s over…

 

Can’t I just… catch a break for once in my life?

 

 

That alarm started ringing once I opened the window… could it be that…

 

{Zoom on the bottom edge of the window, a small white device can be seen}

 

Is this… some sort of sensor? It’s got a tiny screen, what if I press this button…

 

{“Last opened, 16:17” appears on screen}

 

16:17… that’s just now… 

 

Huh… I see… so this sensor records when the window was last opened… 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

{Zoom on the sensor} 

 

This gadget will ring an alarm when the window is opened and will record the time at which that happens. 

 

It’s like this place was built with murders in mind…

 

Heh… it probably was to be fair.

 

Dry wit aside, I should check if the window’s been open recently, for good measure.

 

{“Last opened, 23:18” appears on screen}

 

As expected… I don’t know what day this window was last opened exactly but it definitely wasn’t this morning… 

 

Not only that but considering that Fusume and Reijiro were right around the corner, they probably would have heard the alarm if it was.

 

This basically proves that this window remained shut throughout the entire morning. 

 

With the window being shut and Kenji’s body blocking the door… this creates yet another locked room murder huh?

 

Except this time… I was in the room with the victim… 

 

I’m in such deep shit… this trial is going to be an absolute shitshow. 

 

Oh well… better keep this in mind for now. 

 

{WINDOW SENSOR added to truth bullets} 

 

 

 

 

I think that’s about all I’ll find in the gallery.

 

At the risk of repeating myself, this is what I’ll say… things are looking extremely bad for me. 

 

It looks like an open and shut case… because that’s what it is. 

 

There’s a body, with an obvious murder weapon and an obvious culprit. 

 

The door was blocked from the inside and the window hasn’t been open today… it’s literally impossible for anybody but myself to have done this… 

 

Everybody will be using that information against me… so is it really worth it to keep this charade up or… should I just give in?

 

I… don’t know anymore… 

 

This is an impossible crime to get out of… 

 

{STATE OF THE GALLERY added to truth bullets} 

 

 

 

 

I need to get out of this room… I… can’t breathe anymore. 

 

There’s no way I’m staring at Kenji’s corpse for a second longer. I can’t handle this anymore.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato… is everything okay with you? You look troubled.

 

Grade A poker face Hayato… fucking hell, I make for a terrific murderer

 

Hayato: I’m fine… I just need some fresh air I think.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Did you manage to take a good look at everything?

 

Hayato: Yes… I think so… there isn’t much that strikes me as evidence here anyway.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I guess so… maybe it’s a good idea to continue your investigation elsewhere… there might be some sort of clue in one of the other rooms of the building.

 

There won’t be… there’s no reason for there to be anything… 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato!

 

Hayato: Y-Yes?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Before you leave… there’s one thing you need to keep in mind… something you cannot forget.

 

Hayato: What is it…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You need… to stay alive!

 

Hayato: H-Huh?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} You cannot die in here… you hear me? 

 

Hayato: Why are you telling me this!?

 

Fusume: {Confident} It doesn’t matter why you hear me! Just… promise you’re going to fight for your life.

 

Does she… know?

 

Hayato: I… don’t understand Fusume…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It doesn’t matter if you understand or not… just promise me!

 

Hayato: I… promise. 

 

Fusume: {Genuine smile} Good… that’s all I had to say. Now, go! Make good use of the little time that we’ve got left!

 

She turned her back to me and went back to the body.

 

 

What the hell was that…?

 

I… 

 

What do I do in this situation?

 

 

 

 

I need to get out of here… quickly. 

 

{Move to Green Building - 1st floor} 

 

God dammit… 

 

I know that I won’t find anything else in any of the others rooms… 

 

There’s no complex murder plan and hidden clues in this case… 

 

The fact that the case is so simple… is what makes it the hardest one I’ve ever taken part in… how can I win?

 

Ethically… I should just give in but… why did Fusume make me promise I’d fight?

 

I… don’t understand anymore. 

 

Fuck!

 

 

Overwhelmed by my emotions, I let loose by kicking the metallic trash can that was positioned next to the gallery.

 

W-Wait… is that what I think it is?

 

To my surprise, something… unexpected came crashing out of the trash I’d just spilled. 

 

{Close-up on the poured out trash can} 

 

That’s… Caspian’s cape!

 

{Flashback} 

 

???: Having meetings without me are we!?

 

Startled, I turned around to see the owner of that deep voice…

 

Kenji: {Cracking fists} Not that I’m surprised… 

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} Y’all don’t want to be associated with a nutcase like me do you!?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} K-Kenji…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You know damn well that this meeting wasn’t planned without you… you simply decided not to come.

 

Kenji: {Snickers} Tch… yeah… I guess that’s true.

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laughing} Shoulda seen the look on your faces though!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Why are you here man…?

 

Hayato: And more importantly… what is that you’re holding in your hand?

 

{Close-up on Kenji’s right hand, he seems to be carrying a purple piece of cloth}

 

Reijiro: That is… why do you…

 

Kenji: Yeah… y’all know what this is… and I won’t let anybody take it away from me.

 

Shinto: That’s… Caspian’s cape…

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Why are you carrying that around!? That’s important evidence!!

 

Kenji: {Serious, stands up straight} Heh… well… it’s mine now. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

We found that cape in the evidence locker… and then Kenji stole it because he claimed it proved that Tadao was a fraud. 

 

He pretty much carried it around everywhere he went from then onwards…

 

So… why is it in the trash? And it looks like it’s been teared up as well!

 

The cape he carried around as the proof of his sanity… has been destroyed and disposed of… 

 

Did he throw it away… or did someone put it there?

 

Either way… this might have something to do with his motivations for murder…

 

Could this cape be what made him snap?

 

{CASPIAN’S CAPE added to truth bullets} 

 

 

I… don’t have anything else to do until the class trial starts… I guess that I’ll just head to another room and… kill some time there. 

 

I just need to get away from the gallery. 

 

{Move to Green Building - Security Office} 

 

{Scene opens on the security office, Hikari is there} 

 

{Talk to Hikari} 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Hayato! 

 

She ran up and hugged me in a flash… that’s the second girl who’s done that today… maybe I should kill more people if that’s what I get in return!

 

God I’m pathetic…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… really thought they’d gotten to you… I’m really happy to see that you’re okay!

 

Hayato: Thanks for worrying… I’m really trying to focus on getting this case solved here… we can take care of my health later on!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Y-You’re right! We need to get through this class trial… that’s our only chance at staying alive. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} We… couldn’t save Kenji… but we’ll survive for his sake!

 

Since when is lying so easy to me… has Raiko been rubbing off on me or something?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We’ll find who did this to him! 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Even though it means… losing another one of our friends… that’s the only way forwards!

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I know you didn’t do this… which means somebody must have been framing you! 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Who… would do such a thing?

 

First Fusume, then Kôzuke and now her… they all have such blind faith in me… is it because of the way I’ve acted so far?

 

I… I’m taking advantage of that… aren’t I?

 

Hayato: Ahem… I guess that’s true… d-do you have any idea of who the culprit could be?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} No sadly, I can’t say anything for sure. I spent the first part of the morning in my room… I didn’t really feel like going outside after yesterday night. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I needed a break… I think we all did. 

 

Hayato: That’s fair… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I spent the rest of the morning here… with Shinto.

 

Hayato: With… Shinto? Why!?

 

Hikari: {Straightens ties} We met outside the building by chance… and we both realised that we needed someone to talk to.

 

Hayato: And you came here because?

 

Hikari: {Blushing} The chair are comfy…

 

Hayato: I see…

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} We were here until Reijiro and Fusume came to tell us what had happened… so yeah, I guess we have a pretty good alibi. 

 

Hayato: You and Shinto huh… I guess you’re off the suspect list if that’s the case. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Well… Shinto would have been off my suspect list even if we weren’t together!

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera lense} We’re dealing with someone who managed to overpower Kenji right? That means our killer must have been quite strong, physically. 

 

Argh, my ego… it’s taking over!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Or… they just got lucky somehow…

 

Yep… should have seen that coming. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Luck or not, the killer had to be able to exert quite a large amount of strength… and I just don’t think that Shinto could have done that with his cast… that’s just my theory though. 

 

She’s got a point… Shinto’s broken arm makes him a very unlikely suspect… He’s probably off the table as far as potential suspects… that’s what the others will think at least.

 

And I need to think like the others… right?

 

{SHINTO’S CAST added to truth bullets} 

 

Hikari: Ask him to confirm our alibi when you next see him… he’ll tell you the exact same thing.

 

Hikari: {Sad} Eh… I haven’t really found anything worth mentioning in the office but… please, do take a look and tell me if you’re any luckier.

 

Okay… we know that there shouldn’t be anything out of the ordinary here but I should be thorough just in case… 

 

We never know what could be. 

 

{Examine Desk} 

 

The monitors here show footage from the different security cameras in the building. 

 

W-Wait… could the murder have been filmed by one of these? I… need to see those tapes, quickly!

 

 

 

 

Huh… not surprising, yet so very disappointing.

 

Turns out these screens only show real time footage but they don’t actually record anything. Or at least, we can’t access those recordings. 

 

Well… on one hand this system is utter garbage but on the other… I think this is good news for me… 

 

I really would have been royally screwed if you could see that footage. 

 

Luck seems to be on my side… for once. 

 

{Examine Coffee machine} 

 

This machine angers me. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

This machine… looks super complicated… what happened to the good old days of simply using a pot to make your coffee… 

 

I prefered when things were analog… all this technology confuses me… 

 

They don’t have tea in here… do they?

 

Of course not… 

 

I cannot have good things in life. 

 

Hikari: {Smile} Would you like a tutorial on how this machine works Hayato?

 

Hayato: Yeah… I guess that would be useful. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Kurozo’s come here to explain stuff earlier… I was just as confused as you were before he did so. 

 

Hikari: Let’s see if I remember correctly.

 

{Zoom on the machine} 

 

Hikari: Ok so… to order a cup you’ve got to scan your Resident ID right here, and press on the desired button.

 

Hikari: The order will be delivered almost instantly.

 

Hayato: Seems simple enough… 

 

Hikari: Hold your horses, this is where it gets complex.

 

Hikari: When you’ve made an order, the room’s door will lock itself automatically. 

 

Hayato: Wh-What!? Why would it do that?

 

Hikari: It forces you to drink the coffee in here, the only way to open the door is to place your empty cup back into the machine and scan your ID again. 

 

Hikari: All that in an attempt to avoid littering… apparently. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Such a complex system… for a stupid cup of coffee. It doesn’t even do herbal tea! What kind of rubbish is this…?

 

The screen shows a record of the people who used it in the past few days. 

 

Anybody drank coffee this morning? 

 

{Zoom on the machine’s display screen} 

 

Today’s orders :

H.H : 9:47 → 10:04

 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

H.H huh? I think I know who that is…

 

This is pretty much pointless information but… I guess I should take note of it just because.

 

I’m desperate for “clues” okay? Don’t judge me! I’m doing what I can!

 

{COFFEE MACHINE added to truth bullets} 

 

 

I spent a few more minutes checking out bits and bobs in the security office but there obviously wasn’t anything that was remotely connected to the murder. 

 

Why would there be?

 

I’ve wasted enough time here… time to go waste some more time somewhere else I guess. 

 

Hayato: Hikari! I’m going to check out the other rooms!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Sounds good! Stay safe! 

 

Hikari: Oh and don’t forget-

 

She couldn’t finish her sentence… she was interrupted by a blood curdling scream coming from outside the room. 

 

(Music : None) 

 

???: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

 

Hayato: Wh-What the hell was that!? 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} That came from this building… we’ve got to see what’s going on

 

Before I could say anything, the monitor in the room turned on.

 

{Monokuma appears on the monitor, he looks angry} 

 

Monokuma: You bastards… you stupid kids… you shit-eating rascals!

 

Monokuma: You think you can just destroy my property like that… and there won’t be repercussions?

 

Monokuma: If you don’t put this out immediately… the consequences will be dire… 

 

Monokuma: Don’t test me… any further!

 

{Monitor turns off}

 

Hayato: Wh-What is he talking about?

 

Destroying… his property?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Someone’s done something… something bad… We should go and see what happened… quickly. 

 

In an instant, she pulled me by my sleeve and we both ran out of the room. 

 

{Auto-move to Green Building - 1st Floor} 

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI93nWonug8)

We sprinted along the corridor back into the main hall. 

 

In the opposite corner, we saw Kôzuke, tears in his eyes. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} G-Guys… come quick please!

 

I didn’t see what he was gesturing to until I got closer… but when I did… I saw something which I never could have expected. 

 

{Camera shows the evidence locker in flames. A fire has started in the middle of the room and is slowly spreading. The inside of the room is hidden by the flames} 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} What is this!!?

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I heard her scream… I… d-d-didn’t know what to do!

 

Hnngh… another… fire…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hands over mouth} Y-You learnt more about the fire…? Wh-What happened to us then!? What’s this whole thing all about?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I managed to load the document on my Resident ID… so take a look for yourself!

 

{Camera zooms into Reijiro’s tablet to show a newspaper article. The headline reads : “Devastating fire at the Eden Corp headquarters”}

 

“As if the crisis couldn’t get any worse. The scheduled peace meeting between several of the major actors in the recent chaos was interrupted by a fire that started in the bottom floor and quickly spread across the entire building 

 

The police have already ruled out an accidental cause. “Whoever is behind this was actively trying to kill every single person in the building, that’s for sure” says the captain in charge of the investigation. 

 

The number of casualties is still unknown but the circumstances make it hard to believe that there’ll be any survivors in this incident. 

 

More news in tomorrow’s paper”.

 

 

 

 

Hikari: {Sad} …

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wh-What does this mean man…?

 

The Eden Corp… they’re one of the most influential companies in the country… I’m pretty sure they mostly deal in stocks… 

 

Their headquarters is located right next to the academy… I heard that there was an annual trip there for the first year students… 

 

This… can’t be a coincidence… 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} I suspect that you are all aware of the proximity between the Eden Corporation and Hope’s Peak Academy… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} There is no way to know for sure… but that fire may very well be the one we were looking for. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Fire… is haunting us like a plague… 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Kôzuke… you said that… she screamed… who were you talking about…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} It’s… it’s…

 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} It’s Jessie man! She’s trapped in the flames!

 

WH-WHAT!?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} J-Jessie’s… in there?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} What do we do man…? What do we do!?

 

This is bad… really bad…

 

Hayato: Jessie! Can you hear me!? 

 

 

No response!

 

Hayato: JESSIE!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} She won’t hear you over this cacophony… 

 

Hayato: How did this fire start!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I… I… don’t know… it just kicked off man! In an instant! Everything was fine and then it wasn’t!

 

Fire can’t just… kick off like that? Not a fire of this magnitude anyway. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} It’s going to spread outside the room soon… we need to back away.

 

Hayato: N-No… if we leave her she’ll die… we need to find a way to put this fire out!

 

Hikari: {Panicked} I… don’t know what to do! I… I… I… AHHHHHHHH!

 

Kôzuke: {Tightens fists} Hnngh… 

 

F-Fuck… why aren’t the others coming!?

 

Hikari: {Crying} A-Ahhh… Ahhh…

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} 

 

Hayato: We need to make contact with her… JESSIE! CAN YOU HEAR ME!?

 

 

It’s pointless.

 

Hayato: If she stays in the smaller chamber in the back… she might be able to stay away from the flames for now… 

 

Hikari: {Hyperventilating} Ahhh… ahh…

 

Hayato: Do either of you know if there’s a fire extinguisher somewhere in the room?

 

Hikari: {Panicked} I… I… wh-what!?

 

Hayato: Hikari! Snap out of it! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} H-Huh!?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Y-You’re right… We need to save her… I’ll f-f-find something… {Leaves} 

 

She ran off… 

 

 

Why did this happen!? How do things get worse… every single time. 

 

Fires like that don’t happen by accident… somebody did this… 

 

{Flashback}

 

??? #2 : After everything that we have accomplished together… it seems that this is the end. 

 

??? #2 : Our group falls after having been betrayed. 

 

Betrayed? By whom? I can’t see anyone! Who are they talking about?

 

??? #3 : This… this isn’t the end. If we’re gonna die here… then we’re gonna make you pay first!

 

??? #2 : It is only fair after all… for us to get retribution… traitor. 

 

Who… who’s the traitor? Who’s the traitor!?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

The traitor… must be responsible… for this…

 

Hayato: Fuck…! If Hikari’s not back soon… it’s going to be too late. 

 

We can’t have… another death… another meaningless death. 

 

Can I not… save her?

 

Kôzuke: {Tightens fists} I can’t do it anymore… 

 

Hayato: What!?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} I can’t be such a coward… who’s afraid to help his friends… 

 

Kôzuke: I can’t take this… I have to do something!

 

Hayato: Kôzuke, what are you-

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} If I die… I want to die as a brave man… I can’t live a second longer as a coward…

 

Kôzuke: {Puts on helmet} I won’t accept it… 

 

Hayato: Kôzuke, wait a second. 

 

Kôzuke: {Tightens fist, takes a deep breath} F-Fuck… I… I’LL SAVE YOU!!!

 

 

It happened so fast… before I could say anything else, Kôzuke ran in the evidence locker and a second later, his whole body was engulfed in the flames. 

 

 

My body froze… I couldn’t have moved an inch if I tried. 

 

I don’t know what went through Kôzuke’s mind… it was suicide… but he jumped in regardless. 

 

Before I really understood what was going on… some of the others finally arrived. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I’ve got a fire extinguisher-

 

Hikari: {Distressed} W-Wait… where’s Kôzuke?

 

Hayato: That was… super fast Hikari!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I'm observant, I'd spotted the extinguisher when we first investigated the building which meant I knew exactly where to find it!

 

Shinto: {Shocked} Guys, what’s going on-

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} N-No way!!! What the hell is this!?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I guess this is why he called us shit-eating rascals… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Who would use such shameful language… and why are you bringing this up now?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Didn’t you hear the- 

 

Hayato: Guys! Shut up already! Kôzuke’s in there!

 

They all went silent as I said that.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} He… went in?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} That’s ludicrous… he’s going to get himself killed.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Why would he do such a thing…?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Jessie’s in there… trapped in the flames… He went there to save her. 

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} The both of them… are in the burning room?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Who would do such a horrible thing!?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} …

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We need to extinguish these flames… c-come and help me! 

 

Hikari brought the extinguisher closer to the entrance, but just as she was about to turn it on…

 

{Kôzuke runs out of the flames with Jessie in his arms. He’s in a simple t-shirt and pants as Jessie wears his helmet and his driving suit, as soon as they’re out of the room, he collapses} 

 

Shinto: {Shocked} Wh-What the!?

 

{Suddenly, the sprinklers turn on in the entire building, quickly putting the fire out}

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} K-Kôzuke!

 

{Jessie and Kôzuke are shown on the floor, both of them unconscious. Kôzuke’s entire body is covered in burn marks} 

 

Reijiro: His driver outfit… it’s fireproof… that’s why he made her wear it!

 

Hikari: He sacrificed himself for her… but… he’s severely injured!

 

Reijiro: His burns need to be treated… quickly!

 

{Back to normal}

 

What the hell… why did the sprinklers only turn on once they were through the flames!?

 

Monokuma never had the intention of saving them did he!?

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} Jessie’s also unconscious!

 

Reijiro: {Glares} The outfit likely protected her from the flames… but she still inhaled a lot of smoke… it is normal that she passed out

 

Hikari: {Distressed} B-But… Kôzuke, is he going to make it!?

 

Monokuma: {Appears} You bastards!!!

 

Hayato: M-Monokuma?

 

Kurozo: {Appears} No need for such a dramatic entrance… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Monokuma… you have to help them!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} I don’t have to do anything! You bastards should be punished… look what you did to my evidence locker. 

 

I took a quick look inside the room, all of the files have been burnt to ashes. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I should execute… all of you. 

 

Hayato: You’re saying that one of us… did this? 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Of course it was one of you! I would never sabotage my own property would I!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} I should kill you all, you’re lucky that-

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} You aren’t seriously going to reveal that are you?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Y-You’re right… I shouldn’t give too much away.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} What are you two talking about? 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Forget about it… 

 

That was weird… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Please help them… Kôzuke’s going to die if you don’t do anything… 

 

Monokuma: Hey, it was his choice to jump inside the inferno with his asscheeks showing… I ain’t got anything to do with that!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You are ready… to let him die… 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Monokuma… be reasonable… the kid should live. 

 

Kurozo’s… on our side!?

 

Monokuma: And why’s that!?

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} You know why… this death would be pointless. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Grrrrrr…

 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Fine… I’ll treat them… but only for the class trial’s sake! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} And don’t you think for a second that you bastards will get away with this…

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} I see the irony in the fire… and in all of this… and I won’t allow it!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Once I’m back, you will… feel my wrath!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Kurozo, I trust you know what to do with them now. 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Indeed, it is time for the vault to finally be opened. 

 

The… vault…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Wh-Why would we want to open this vault?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Y-Yeah, who cares if it’s impenetrable man! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Oh but… you care! That’s the beauty of this motive!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What are you talking about?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What are… the contents of that vault?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Simple… inside the safe… you’ll find all the information you want about your missing memories! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Everything we’ve taken from you… it’s right there in the files!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Wh-What!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} No… way!!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You’ve got to be joking man!!!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} And now… you see why that vault should be opened!

 

Inside that vault… is all the information that’s been taken from us?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} All of the questions you’ve had since you arrived… the answers are inside the vault!

 

Monokuma: Pretty neat right?

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} How… do we open… the safe? 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Oh come on… you know the answer to that question, don’t you?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You don’t mean… 

 

Monokuma: But of course… all you need to do to get this safe open… is to murder one of your classmates!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

I’ve been so caught up in this murder that I completely forget about the consquences to my actions… 

 

Now that Kenji’s dead… the mascots are going to open the vault for all to see… 

 

We’re finally… gonna get some of our memories back… 

 

I shouldn’t rejoice so quickly after someone died… especially considering that I killed him but… this is good news.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You are opening the vault, even without the others’ presence?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} You four are more than enough… we don’t have time to waste… once these two bastards wake up, it’s class trial time!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Now go… enjoy those memories while you can… {Disappears} 

 

He left with Kôzuke and Jessie. 

 

Hikari: G-Gosh… I hope they’ll be okay. 

 

Jessie might be fine… but Kôzuke… those burns looked nasty. 

 

Even if he makes it out of it alive… he’s going to be scarred for life. 

 

For someone who called himself a coward so often… that was ridiculously brave. 

 

Please… let him live…

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} It’s time… follow me, please. {Leaves} 

 

He hopped off down the stairs to the vault room.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… {Leaves} 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} What… are we going to find in that vault…? {Leaves} 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Good news… I hope… {Leaves} 

 

It can’t get any worse than this…

 

Whatever’s in the vault… whatever memories we’re missing… I’ll have no choice but to accept them… 

 

{Auto-move to Green Building - Basement} 

 

Kurozo: {Stern salutes} I will not waste your time… I suppose you are all excited to see what has been taken from you. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I don’t know if excited’s the right word. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} We’ll use what we find in there to escape… for everybody’s sake.

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} Especially those of us who are no longer here with us… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} This better not be a waste of time. 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} I assure you that this is nothing of the sorts. 

 

Kurozo: {Proudly} Now… I hope that you are all ready.

 

Am I ready? 

 

For weeks we’ve been inquiring about our forgotten memories

 

The memories that turned Kyia, Rina, Tadao and Oriana into maniacs…

 

The memories that drove Kenji crazy enough to try to murder me… 

 

They’re the cause of everything we’ve been through. 

 

Every single death… because of those memories…

 

How can you be ready for something like that? 

 

Kurozo: {Points at key} For the first time since its inception… the vault will now be open thanks to this key, which as per protocol, has never left Monokuma's possession, until now. 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} You will be the first to see its contents… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Get on with it already! 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} All of you, please take a step back.

 

He slowly approached the vault and inserted the key in the lock. 

 

We all held our breath as he twisted the key and the safe’s mechanisms started to rumble. 

 

Finally, after all this time… 

 

All this struggle. 

 

Our questions would finally be answered, we would finally be at peace… 

 

Finally… we’d have a chance to be happy… a chance for things to get better.

At last.

 

{The door slowly opens, blinding light coming out of it} 

 

I leaped forward as soon as the door had open, we all did. 

 

We were expecting to find the answer to all our problems… in light of that hope, the fact that I’d just killed another human being seemed to vanish. 

 

 

Things were going to get better huh? 

 

How foolish of me.

 

In this place, things only get worse… and worse and worse  and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse. 

 

The vaults contents were now clear in front of our eyes… but, nobody could have predicted what we would find inside that sealed chamber.

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} This… cannot be… 

 

Not even Kurozo… apparently. 

 

No… what we were looking at… was so horrifying that not even the elephant knew what to say… 

 

In front of us we saw…

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAZn2LE9gqk }

 

(Camera zooms in to show a couple of files scattered on the floor. It pans out to the victim’s hand laying comfortably along their body. We then see a small bloodstain on the victim’s blouse. The camera slowly pans up to show the victim’s head, a peaceful smile etched on their face for eternity. Finally, it zooms out completely to show the body of Fusume Ebisawa, the Ultimate Ninja} 

 

She looked so peaceful in there… I might have thought she was sleeping if it wasn’t for that wound on her flank… 

 

No… she wasn’t catching up on all those nights she spent guarding us… she was dead. 

 

Fusume Ebisawa… my friend… had been slain. 

 

I felt tears run down my face… grief instantly manifesting its effects on my body. 

 

However… more than sadness… something else was growing in me… 

 

A second murder had been committed… and this time, I had nothing to do with it. 

 

And just like that… everything I thought I knew was scrambled… and this case had suddenly gotten a hell of a lot more complicated.




Notes:

A double murder… outside of chapter 3? That's madness!

This chapter was really hard to write because I really didn't want to see her go but I guess that's the way it is.

Think you know who killed her and what's going on with this case? Then please leave a comment with your theory or join our discord to get involved in the discussion.

This is one of the biggest twists in the story so far and I'm excited to hear what you guys think!

As usual, thanks a ton for reading and see you in the next one for the second part of the investigation!

Chapter 57: Chapter 5 : Monokuma Presents "The Greatest Heist" : Deadly Life part 2

Notes:

We're back for the second part of the investigation, it looks like we've got another murder to solve!

I hope you'll enjoy this one!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

My eyes couldn’t comprehend what they were seeing. 

 

{Close-up on Fusume’s body} 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXrdP9ez5GQ)

 

Fusume Ebisawa… 

 

She was the bravest one here… and probably the most caring. 

 

She swore to keep us safe… and in the end.… it was all for nothing… 

 

She deserved to live… possibly even more so than the rest of us. 

 

After everything she’d done for us… she should have been a survivor. 

 

 

Justice doesn’t exist in this hellhole… and so she’s gone. Just like that. 

 

It’s all over. 

 

Hikari: {Horrified} N-NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} What the hell… is this!?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} This… cannot be… 

 

Reijiro: {Rubs eye, sad expression} Hnngh…

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} Monokuma… what the hell have you done!!!!?

 

Hayato: M-Monokuma’s behind this!?

 

Monokuma: {Appears} What’s all this screaming about-

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} A b-body… in the vault… that’s impossible!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} You better have an explanation for this you pompous pachyderm!!!

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} How is this my fault exactly…? all I did was open the safe like you told me to… the body was already in there!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show black side} You obviously opened the safe beforehand then! None of these bastards could have done so without the key! 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} You had the key… remember?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Well you built the safe! You must have known about another way in!

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} The safe was hermetically sealed as we agreed upon…

 

Monokuma: {Angry} This makes no good damn sense. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Enough!

 

Reijiro: {Sad expression, rubs eye} We just lost a classmate… to which we were all very close. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We will not stand for this pointless bickering!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Now listen here you little-

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I wouldn’t say that their bickering’s pointless.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Sh-Shinto?

 

Shinto: {Bends forwards, points with finger} Logically speaking… none of us any way to get her inside the safe without help from one of the two mascots… right?

 

Hayato: H-He’s got a point. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward}  I did not have the key… Monokuma must have gotten himself involved once again. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I said… it wasn’t me!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} If neither of you will admit it… then clearly one of you is lying. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} The killer must be in cahoots with one of them! That’s the only way any of this makes any sense!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} …

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} … 

 

The killer… worked with either of them…? But why?

 

Why would anybody cooperate with one of our captors?

 

There’s no reason to do such a thing… unless you’re… the traitor. 

 

 

{Flashback} 

 

We sprinted along the corridor back into the main hall. 

 

In the opposite corner, we saw Kôzuke, tears in his eyes. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} G-Guys… come quick please!

 

I didn’t see what he was gesturing to until I got closer… but when I did… I saw something which I never could have expected. 

 

{Camera shows the evidence locker in flames. A fire has started in the middle of the room and is slowly spreading. The inside of the room is hidden by the flames} 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} What is this!!?

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I heard her scream… I… d-d-didn’t know what to do!

 

Fire… is haunting us like a plague… 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Kôzuke… you said that… she screamed… who were you talking about…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} It’s… it’s…

 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} It’s Jessie man! She’s trapped in the flames!

 

WH-WHAT!?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} J-Jessie’s… in there?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} What do we do man…? What do we do!?

 

This is bad… really bad…

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

The traitor who tried to burn us alive inside the Eden Corp headquarters… and who reiterated the feat today inside the evidence locker. 

 

Jessie would likely have died if it wasn’t for Kôzuke’s bravery. 

 

I… really hope the two of them will be okay… we’ve already lost two students today. 

 

I’m not sure we can bear losing anyone else. 

 

 

I can’t believe that Fusume’s… gone. 

 

There’s only six of us left. Ten of us have died. 

 

What a terrifying thought…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’m guessing neither of you will admit to working with the killer?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Of course not!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} All I know is that I am not involved. 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} I for one, follow the rules. 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} You stupid mammoth, I should have killed you the moment I arrived here!

 

Hikari: {Sad} You won’t tell us anything about your involvement… you’ve made that clear…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} But… the culprit’s one of us… right?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Of course, it’s one of you guys… and that bastard’s lucky they’re protected for the class trial’s sake…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} If that person loses… I’ll be particularly happy to execute them! 

 

Hayato: The blackened… is protected?

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Indeed, if the blackened has broken some rules in order to commit a murder, they won’t be executed for the initial rule breaks. 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} It would ruin the class trial if the blackened was executed for breaking a non-essential rule.

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Non-essential? Messing with my shit is very much essential thank you very much!

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} No matter… you shall not ruin this crucial class trial with one of your temper tantrums! 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} …

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Fine… 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} But it doesn’t change the fact that one of you rascals set fire to my evidence locker… 

 

Monokuma: Do you realise how much was lost in the fire!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Most of the files stored in that room were red herrings, were they not?

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} Maybe… but you still had no right to destroy it without my consent!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Don’t they teach you the notion of propriety in middle school!? You ignorant infants!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Are you done insulting us?

 

Hikari: {Sad} First in that announcement… and now this? We’ve got enough on our plate as things are. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Oh no… can your little ears not bare tiny little cuss words!? 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Grow up already… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Whatever she is talking about… the truth of the matter is that we need to investigate this second murder. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And you will not waste our time any longer. 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Wasting your time…? That’s what I’m doing?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Pretty much… all you’ve done is insult us and deny that one of you clearly helped the blackened!

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Heh… typical. You kids make it sound like I’m the one at fault… but two murders have been committed… 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} You bastards and your tightly knit group… it’s pathetic. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Two people were killed… even though you were supposed to be as strong as ever. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} The real monsters here… it’s you guys!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Are you saying that we’re dealing with two different blackened?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} We are not at liberty to divulge such information… you will have to find that out during the class trial! 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} If there are two blackened… that means that literally a third of the remaining students are murderers… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} The spotless students… could struggle to have a majority… 

 

Sadly… I already know that this isn’t an “if” at all. 

 

I didn’t kill Fusume which means that there’s a second blackened around… 

 

Shinto

 

Hikari…

 

Reijiro…

 

Jessie…

 

Kôzuke…

 

One of them killed Fusume…

 

The question is… 

 

Which of them is it?

 

Reijiro: {Sad expression, rubs eye} We should get to investigating… 

 

This… must be hard on Reijiro… I know how close he and Fusume were…

 

Unless… he’s the blackened…

 

N-No… that can’t be…

 

Fuck… I don’t want to doubt my friends… yet, I have no choice but to do so…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You will give us some extra time to do so now that a second murder has been committed correct?

 

Monokuma: {Thoughtful} Hmm…

 

Monokuma: Let me think… 

 

Monokuma: Hmmmmmmmmm… 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Yes, why not. 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} G-Good… 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} You will obviously get time to investigate! We cannot have a proper class trial without such a period.

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Monokuma… was just stalling for his own amusement. 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Aw… Kurozo! You know me so well! You’re such a good sidekick!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Despite the fact that you helped a student tamper with my vault… I haven’t forgotten about that!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forwards} Again with that!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Wait… just a second. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} What is it Shinto?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I’m… beyond sad that Fusume’s dead but… doesn’t her death mean that we’re going to get to access the files which were kept inside the vault?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} That was the deal… wasn’t it? 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Okay… you haven’t told us one thing though… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Wh-Why would we want to open this vault?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Y-Yeah, who cares if it’s impenetrable man! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Oh but… you care! That’s the beauty of this motive!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What are you talking about?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What are… the contents of that vault?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Simple… inside the safe… you’ll find all the information you want about your missing memories! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Everything we’ve taken from you… it’s right there in the files!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Wh-What!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} No… way!!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You’ve got to be joking man!!!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} And now… you see why that vault should be opened!

 

Inside that vault… is all the information that’s been taken from us?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} All of the questions you’ve had since you arrived… the answers are inside the vault!

 

Monokuma: Pretty neat right?

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} How… do we open… the safe? 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Oh come on… you know the answer to that question, don’t you?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} You don’t mean… 

 

Monokuma: But of course… all you need to do to get this safe open… is to murder one of your classmates!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

I had completely forgotten about that…

 

Fusume’s death is everything I have thought about since we found her body… but right before that were were expecting to find the information inside the vault.

 

That’s why we’re here.

 

To get our memories back…

 

To understand who we are. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We were brought to this room in order to be shown the contents of the safe.

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} We… found more than we were hoping for… but we still haven’t seen the files themselves. 

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} It’s time for investigating… and we will bring whoever killed Fusume and Kenji to justice… but shouldn’t you show us what we came to see first?

 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Shinto this assertive, it’s nice to see him so confident-

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Nope. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Wh-What do you mean “nope”!?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} It means I ain’t showing you bastards anything!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} What are you talking about!? You said you’d show us once a murder has been committed!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You are going to ignore your end of the bargain… I should have seen this coming… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forwards} Monokuma… what are you saying?

 

Hayato: K-Kurozo… you’re not in on this?

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Of course not… it was very much planned to share the files with you all…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} So… you didn’t intend to deceive us from the start? Kinda like with that submarine of yours?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} No… no, if everything had got like we’d expected then yes, you would have gotten access to those juicy memories of yours. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} But… do you really deserve to see those files? After what you’ve done?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You asked for a murder… you got two… isn’t that enough for you? 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Well that’s not really the problem now is it? 

 

Hayato: Then… what is it? 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} You bastards destroyed my property… which is clearly forbidden by the rules… and you messed with the vault. 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Do you understand how many rules were broken today!?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} But… the blackened did that! The rest of us have nothing to do with any of this!

 

Monokuma: {Amused} You don’t know that for sure do you?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} H-Huh?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Either way, the blackened student or students are the ones who unlocked that vault for you… but since so many rules were broken allegedly by them…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} No memories for you! Not until the trial is over and the rule-breakers have been dealt with!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Y-You’re joking right…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} You’re really… going to keep this from us…

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Hey! I said I’d give you everything after the class trial! Isn’t that good enough?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} I’m being generous here!

 

 

It’d be pointless to anger him to the point of him retracting even that offer…

 

We should have expected some sort of trick from him… but I guess I didn’t even see this coming. 

 

How foolish of me… 

 

 

I killed another human being… with my own hands. I thought it could have been excused by the fact that we’d finally get our memories back… 

 

But now… not only is Fusume also dead… but turns out that it was all for nothing. 

 

That… bastard Monokuma…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I suppose that… there is no use in reasoning with you… is there? 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Upupupu… you kids are finally learning!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Either you survive the class trial and you’ll get your memories back…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Or… you all die, without any knowledge of who you really were!

 

Hikari: {Sad} This is… unfair… you said… you said that we’d get them back now!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I changed my mind! Tough luck!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Plus… judging by how many of you remain… this might just be your final normal class trial… the stakes should be as high as possible! 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, points with finger} What do you mean… our last… normal class trial? 

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Upupu… I’m getting ahead of myself… you guys will see what I’m talking about soon enough… if you make it through this one first that is.

 

The stakes will be higher than ever huh?

 

They’re already pretty high for me… my life is on the line, even more so than usual. 

 

Before we arrived in this very room, I could imagine two possible outcomes…

 

Either I’d tricked my friends and make it out of here alive… without them… 

 

Or I’d lose the trial… and they’d advance further in the killing game. 

 

Neither solution appeals to me… but now, everything’s changed hasn’t it?

 

There is a second blackened… who might not be as conflicted as I am. 

 

That person will also be trying to win the trial… 

 

Who… do I fight for?

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Well, if there are no other questions… I guess you should get this extra-special second half of the investigation started… don’t you think?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} No… something is wrong. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} Monokuma… what else did you mess up?

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} I have no idea what the kid’s on about. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You want us to start investigating… but two things are missing from our usual investigations. 

 

Hayato: Really…?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} First… there was no body discovery announcement. 

 

Reijiro: If Rule #10 of the resident rules had been correctly applied, then that announcement should have played the moment the four of us found her body!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Only three people are required… and since there are four of us here… even if the blackened was one of us, the BDA should have played regardless!

 

Hayato: Th-That’s right… I had completely forgotten about that!

 

When your friend’s dead body pops up where you least expect it… that sort of oversight is to be expected I guess. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Unless… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Could Fusume still be alive!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} That would explain the lack of an announcement!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Quick! We m-must check her vitals-

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Nope… she’s very much dead. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Hnngh… then… why!?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} The body discovery announcement’s main purpose is to alert any students who aren’t at the crime scene that a murder has been committed. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} It’s the easiest way to get everyone in the same place before the investigation starts. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} That… makes sense.

 

Monokuma: {Amused} If you understand this simple concept then it should be obvious why there was no announcement for this body!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} R-Right…?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} There are six of you still alive, four are here and the other two are unconscious… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} They… still haven’t woken up?

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} They are currently being treated… they’ll be good to go for the class trial. 

 

I… really hope so… 

 

Kôzuke’s sacrifice… shouldn’t be going to waste… 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} You understand now… don’t you? 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Yes… I suppose so. 

 

Monokuma: {Amused} There aren’t many of you left alive… there is therefore no need to alert anyone of the murder… it’s as simple as that. 

 

As much as that makes sense… it still feels a little odd of him to change the rules like that. 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Ugh… I can see your faces y’know? If it really bugs you that much then… fine!

 

He pulls out a small microphone from god knows where and suddenly the monitor in the room turns on. 

 

*Bing Bong Bing Bong*

 

Monokuma: Attention ye bastards: A body has been discovered… a few minutes ago! Following a brief time for investigation, the class trial will begin!

 

Monokuma: Please make your way to the Green Building’s basement immediately.

 

{Monitor turns off} 

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Ya happy? I’m sure swarms of students will come running through that door now that it’s done!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} That was unnecessary…

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} You asked for it! Now, is there anything left on your bucket list you want to get ticked off or can we get this investigation started!?

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} No… I said that there were two problems… you’ve only cleared up one. 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} You insolent little… 

 

It’s good to see that Reijiro hasn’t lost his edge… despite everything that just happened. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Reijiro… what is it?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} You want us to start the investigation yes? 

 

Monokuma: You’re a smart cookie aren’t you?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Then… where’s the Monokuma File? You yourself told us that it was an essential aspect of any investigation…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Well, I am a sensitive bear and when I heard y'all whining about not knowing how to handle the investigation, I thought I'd help a little bit!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Is that so?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} No dummy, I don’t care if you struggle! I just forgot to give you the Monokuma File! A crucial aspect of any good killing game!

 

Rina: The what now?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} The Monokuma File of course! It's nifty little document that gives you some technical information on the cause of death and the state of the body, stuff you lot wouldn't figure out by yourselves, and guess what, it's already in your resident IDs! You’re welcome!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Am I correct in assuming this is an autopsy report of sorts?

 

Monokuma: Yeah, kind of… But it's got my name in front of it which makes it about a quadrillion times cooler!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: We cannot start the investigation without the file… so please, if you will…

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Upupu… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Why… why is he laughing now?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Read my lips… NO. MONOKUMA. FILE. FOR. YOU!!!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Wh-What!?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} You heard me! There will be no Monokuma File for Fusume Ebisawa’s murder! 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} That’s what you get for undermining my authority and discussing my choices!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} What are you talking about!?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} I did say that there would be consequences for all those rule breaks… didn’t I?

 

Hayato: So you’re punishing us… by not giving us the file?

 

Monokuma: Bingo!

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} Isn’t the fact that you’re delaying our memories being restored punishment enough?

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Nah, you don’t deserve my help… the Monokuma File is born from pure generosity… I can take it away if I feel like it!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Especially when you bastards fuck with my property!

 

So that’s how it’s going to be… I see.

 

The blackened is protected until the class trial… so Monokuma’s taking his anger out on us by taking away our promised memories and the Monokuma File. 

 

The blackened who murdered Fusume… and who set fire to the evidence locker, almost killing Jessie and Kôzuke… 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Now… I believe that I have now answered all of your questions! 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} And before you try to interrupt me again, let me just say that your investigation time starts now! It’s now your time that you’ll be wasting. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You… bastard…

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} I’ll be setting up the trial grounds! We need some nice decoration for the occasion don’t we!?

 

Monokuma: Holler if you need anything… I probably won’t help you though upupupu… I’m sure my loyal sidekick will be happy to deal with your queries

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Careful with how you handle the situation kids… I won’t be this lenient in the future.  

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} That’s it from me! Toodles! {Disappears} 

 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} *Sigh*… I won’t be far. {Disappears} 

 

 

 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I guess… we have to get to it now… right?

 

Hikari: {Sad} It won’t be easy without the Monokuma File… but it looks like we have a second murder to solve…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We’ll get through it if we work together right? It worked for us so far!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} It’s what Fusume would have wanted!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Ggh… ggngh…

 

Reijiro: {Furious, grasps at hair} GRRRAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!! {Leaves} 

 

He ran out. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} R-Reijiro…

 

Shinto: F-Fuck…

 

Reijiro had lost his cool in the past… but never to this extent. 

 

Dammit… this is hitting him harder than I expected. 

 

I’ll have to check in on him later if I have the time. 

 

As much as I hate to say it… the priority at the moment is to get this investigation under way. 

 

At first I thought that it was pointless… considering I already knew who the blackened was… but this has just made things a lot more complicated.

 

There’s a second murderer on the loose… that person killed Fusume… our leader. 

 

My friend.

 

I won’t forgive that person… 

 

I’ll face justice for what I’ve done in due time… but before I die… I’ll find who did this to her… and I’ll make sure they end up the same way that I do. 

 

I cannot fail… even more so than earlier. 

 

{Investigation Starts} 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI93nWonug8)

 

For the first time ever… I guess I won’t start by looking at the Monokuma File considering that… there isn’t one. 

 

Not only will we have to do this without the file, but the only person who was capable of doing a half-decent autopsy has just died. 

 

The only way to figure out what happened to her is to look at her myself. 

 

Every time I’ve had to examine a body… she was right there to help me. 

 

This time’s different… but I can’t back down now. 

 

{Close-up on the vault’s interior} 

 

F-Fuck… it’s even worse from up close. 

 

I’m sorry Fusume… I couldn’t save you…

 

I have to keep my cool… hold my urge to vomit at large and take a closer look at her body.

 

Seven bodies in… it really doesn’t get any better.

 

{Examine Fusume’s wound} 

 

It’s a pretty bad looking injury. 

 

That small hole in her flank is what jumped out to me when I first saw the body. 

 

Something pierces through the fabric of her clothes… and through her skin. 

 

It doesn’t look too deep… but her whole midsection is covered in blood… she bled a lot. 

 

I won’t make hasty conclusions but… this is very likely how she died. 

 

Somebody stabbed her… I can’t see any sharp weapons around so I suppose that means that the killer left with it. 

 

This small wound… is what took my friend’s life… 

 

{FUSUME’S INJURY added to truth bullets} 

 

{Examine Fusume’s neck} 

 

God… those marks on her neck… I’ve seen them before.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Th-This… 

 

The Monokuma File mentioned some “Minor Rope burns” on Tadao’s neck… 

 

{Close-up on Tadao’s neck, thick burns can be seen all around his throat area}

 

These aren’t minor at all… it looks like somebody tattooed a rope onto his neck… 

 

For the burns to be this deep… it must mean that a rope must have been tight against his throat at some point last night… 

 

Was he strangled?

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

There are clear rope burns circling around her neck… they’re not quite as thick as the marks we found on Tadao… but I can clearly see the similarities here. 

 

Last time around we assumed that Tadao was impaled to death when he was really hanged. 

 

Those rope burns ended up being crucial in understanding his death. 

 

Could this be a similar situation? 

 

{Close-up on Fusume’s neck} 

 

A rope was clearly pressed on her neck… I can’t say for sure that this is what killed her… but it brings a second plausible cause of death into the mix. 

 

Great… the one time we don’t get a cause of death… the victim died an ambiguous death. 

 

{Back to normal}

 

I should keep this in mind. 



{ROPE BURNS added to truth bullets} 

 

{Examine Fusume’s hands} 

 

There’s something inside Fusume’s hand… 

 

Is that…

 

{Close-up on Fusume’s right hand, she’s holding a bloody piece of bandage tape}

 

There’s blood on this alright.

 

It’s a small piece of bandage… she’s grasping quite tightly… did she rip this off someone?

 

H-Hold on… the blood on this is quite fresh… could she have ripped it off her own injury?

 

That doesn’t make any sense…

 

What’s more likely is that the killer took it off and is trying to make us believe that she did it. 

 

But… why was her wound bandaged in the first place?

 

How does this make any sense… did somebody stab her, try to bandage her wound then change their mind and rip the bandage off?

 

More importantly… when did this all happen? 

 

She was alive less than an hour ago… 

 

That doesn’t leave much time for all of this to have been set up.

 

 

This bandage is really confusing me… 

 

Whatever it means… it’s got to be important evidence!

 

{FUSUME’S INJURY has been updated} 

 

 

I think I’ve had enough of examining her body… I can’t take it a second longer. 

 

Let’s hope I haven’t missed anything. 

 

This is as good as I can do. 

 

{Camera zooms back out to show the entire room} 

 

We don’t have much time… I need to cover as much ground as I can… 

 

Let’s hope that there’s more evidence in this room for me to find!

 

{Talk to Hikari} 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Hayato… this is truly awful isn’t it?

 

Hayato: You said it… I can’t believe that Fusume really is dead. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We’ll solve her murder! Everyone will work together and we’ll manage!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I do hope that Reijiro will come back to help us investigate some time soon. I know that this one hit him really hard but… we’re really going to need his help. 

 

That’s true… Reijiro has been an important asset in the class trials so far… we likely won’t make it without him.

 

It’s also worth it to note that he’s apparently convinced that I killed Kenji… we can’t have him going into the trial believing that I’m responsible for Fusumes murder as well… 

 

He’ll be back… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I know the way you operate by now… you want my imput don’t you?

 

Hayato: Th-That’s right… have you figured anything out yet?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} The investigation has only just started… so no not really. I haven’t had time for a serious breakthrough yet. 

 

Hikari: {Looks through camera lense} I did take a picture of the crime scene though… I thought that it might be useful for later!

 

Hayato: You did well! Please show me the picture!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} O-Of course! Just look here!

 

{Picture is shown on screen. Fusume’s body can be seen laying on her side. Some files are scattered on the floor next to her body. Some subtle dents can be seen on the back wall of the vault} 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Nothing too interesting… especially considering that Monokuma left with those files… all you can see in the picture is the body… sorry… I did my best. 

 

Hayato: Don’t worry Hikari… this is useful. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} R-Really!?

 

Hikari: {Happy} Thank you…

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I’ll let you know if I find anything else!

 

Hikari: Please… do your best Hayato! 

 

There’s something off about that picture… I can see it clearly.

 

I hope we’ll figure out what this means soon enough. 

 

{HIKARI’S PICTURE added to truth bullets}

 

{Examine Crane} 

 

This crane is a complete mystery to me…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Also, before any of you asks, I have no idea what that crane is for. Kurozo’s the one who installed it there. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Can’t we just… ask him?

 

Monokuma: BORING! That’s all I hear! The crane’s pointless… it makes a ton of noise… and isn’t good for anything. 

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

He just slipped the information in there… and never explained what the crane was for. 

 

It’s just there… large and… seemingly pointless. 

 

I guess I should remember that it exists… for some reason. 

 

{VAULT ROOM’S CRANE added to truth bullets} 

 

 

 

 

There really isn’t anything worth noting in this room… I’ve given everything a good look… to no use. 

 

The killer was particularly meticulous this time around. 

 

I should probably check out some of the rooms I haven’t seen yet … but first, I need to talk to a couple of people… 

 

People I don’t particularly want to talk to. 

 

If… you can call them people…

 

Hayato: Monokuma!

 

Monokuma: {Appears} At your service!

 

Hayato: I’ll never get used to this… 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} What do you want?

 

Hayato: You’re gonna stay in a bad mood all day or…?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Did you call me here to taunt me?

 

Hayato: N-No… sorry! I had a question for you!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Ask away!

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Probably won’t answer it but… go ahead!

 

He’s the definition of untrustworthy… yet there’s one area where I feel like he’s going to tell the truth… that’s where I’ll have to dig deeper.

 

Hayato: Tell me more about the vault. Was it really as impenetrable as you claim?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Of course it was! Where’s this question coming from! 

 

Hayato: I just want to get an idea of how the body could have ended up in the vault.

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Beats me… the only way I know of is by using the key… and nobody could have used it since I held it until I gave it to Kurozo.

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Either Kurozo gave it to a student… or there’s some sort of alternate way to get inside the safe that I don’t know of!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} He built the vault… so he’s the one who should know what’s up!

 

Hayato: Sure… but you can guarantee that entering through the main door wasn’t possible.

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} 100% Take this report as proof!

 

He handed me a piece of paper.

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} This report proves that the door wasn’t opened at all until this morning!

 

Hayato: How does this prove anything?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} I have my ways of knowing… just take my word on this!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} You have no other choice but to trust me upupupupu… how exciting!

 

Monokuma: Anything else? Oh… no wait… I don’t give a shit!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Have fun! {Disappears}

 

Infuriating… as always… 

 

He’s right… I kinda have to take his word for it… but judging by how emotional he was earlier, either he’s a really good actor or he was genuinely surprised that somebody broke into the vault. 

 

I’ll have to believe the report for now… if you can even call it that…

 

{MONOKUMA’S SAFE REPORT added to truth bullets} 

 

 

Onto the second one. 

 

Hayato: Kurozo! Come out here!

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Hello! What can I do for you!

 

Hayato: You’re still going with that “I’m here to help bullshit”?

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forwards} You don’t have to believe me… but my intentions are honest. 

 

Hayato: We’ll see about that. If you really are our ally then… can you tell me who the blackened is?

 

Kurozo: {Amused} You know that I cannot do that Hayato… however, there is something that I can do for you.

 

Hayato: There is? 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} You remember that I took Reijiro and Fusume’s Resident IDs yesterday… correct?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} He’s taken control of the killing game once more… and he’s making a mess of it… which is why…

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} I’m willing… to help you guys as much as I can!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Y-You’re joking!

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} I’m perfectly serious… I cannot do much without him noticing… but I’ll do what I can… starting right now. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} What is it… that you can do for us?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I’ll need you three to give me your Resident IDs. I’ll modify them… so that you have new features which might help you in the future… 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} I can also make sure that he can’t track you anymore using those tablets… which I believe is something that might interest you. 

 

Reijiro: That is interesting…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} But why should we trust you? 

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} You have no alternative… and… don’t you realise?

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} We have the same enemy… and we both want to take him down. 

 

Hayato: But… you’re also our enemy!

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} I don’t have control over anything any more…I’m almost as powerless as you kids… this is the only thing that I can do. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forwards} But if we work together… then perhaps we’ll manage… 

 

Hayato: You want us to work with you? Are you insane-

 

Fusume: {Confident} I’ll do it. You can have my Resident ID.

 

Hayato: F-Fusume!?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} We… don’t have anything to lose… and in the position we’re in… it’s time to make a gamble. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} I’ll have faith in you Kurozo… what’s the worst that can happen. 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You’ve made the right decision!

 

She handed her ID to him. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… if she trusts you… then I suppose that I will too.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: How could I forget… did that amount to anything useful?

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} It did actually… I was able to reroute Monokuma’s tracking program and get access to it myself. 

 

Hayato: And that means… what exactly?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} It means I can tell you precisely where the two of them were from this morning to when the first body was discovered. 

 

Hayato: Why then exactly?

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} Monokuma must have figured out what I was doing… I lost all information after that point. 

 

Hayato: I see… well, where were they?

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Just like Fusume told you! The both of them were together in the Green Building from 7 to 10 AM! The didn’t leave each other’s company once… and at around 10 they entered the gallery, that’s when they found the body!

 

Hayato: I see… w-wait! Were you eavesdropping on my conversation with Fusume!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forwards} That’s not the real takeaway from this is it!

 

Hayato: Thank you Kurozo… I don’t need anything from you anymore. 

 

Kurozo: …

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} You will regret not trusting me… you know that right?

 

Hayato: Sure thing… you can go back to whatever you were doing now. 

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} *Sigh* … 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} I suppose that I cannot do anything but wish you good luck… Hayato! {Disappears} 

 

I hate him… god do I hate him. 

 

There’s no way I’ll trust anything that this guy will say… but in this case, I guess that he does corroborate what Fusume told me earlier.

 

It looks like Fusume and Reijiro have a pretty perfect alibi for Kenji’s murder. 

 

Not that it matters much… I know who killed Kenji afterall.

 

This information is likely pointless but… I guess I’ll keep it in mind for the time being. 

 

{KUROZO’S ACCOUNT added to truth bullets} 

 

No point in staying here any longer. 

 

We likely don’t have much time left. I should take a quick look at the rooms I haven’t checked out yet. Namely, the armoury and… whatever’s left of the evidence locker. 

 

I’ve gathered some evidence… but it doesn’t feel like it’s enough yet…

 

I must find something else… anything… 

 

 

Anything at all…

 

{Move to Green Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{Move to Green Building - Armoury} 

 

{Scene opens on Armoury - Shinto is here} 

 

A few different weapons could have taken Fusume’s life. I should probably try to figure out what’s what since I’m not sure what her cause of death is.

 

{Talk to Shinto} 

 

Hayato: Any luck?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} No, I just have to get away from that room… I’m too tired of seeing bodies. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I came here for a break from the violence… not really the best place to do that once you think about it huh?

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, pointing with finger} Don’t hesitate to call me if you find something interesting… I’ll do the same for you!

 

{Examine Knife Rack} 

 

As expected… a knife is missing from here… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laugh} I need to get… that safe open…

 

Hayato: K-Kenji… what are you saying?

 

Kenji: {Pulls out knife, deranged expression} It’s nothing personal… Hayadog. 

 

Hayato: Kenji… no!

 

Kenji: You’re always the one who figures out who did it… and I can’t die in here… so you have to go… so that I can finally escape. 

 

Hayato: Y-You don’t have to do this!

 

Kenji: {Pulls out knife, deranged expression} I do… I… d-do… I DO!!! 

 

Without another word, Kenji lunged at me, knife in hand. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

The knife that Kenji attacked me with was taken from this knife rack. 

 

I was thinking that the person who took the knife from the crime scene might have brought it back here but apparently not. 

 

Only one knife is missing… which means that whatever Fusume was stabbed with… it didn’t come from here… 

 

This whole missing knife business is already hurting my head… 

 

Why did somebody mess with Kenji’s crime scene…? I just can’t wrap my head around that!

 

{KENJI’S MISSING KNIFE has been updated} 

 

{Examine Firearms shelve} 

 

Turns out Fusume did well to get rid of all the bullets in these firearms… 

 

I can’t tell for sure what would have happened for sure… but these weapons are far more dangerous than anything else in this room…

 

I don’t even want to imagine Kenji going on a rampage with that shotgun. 

 

He did enough damage as is… 

 

{Examine Grey box} 

 

I remember this box

 

{Flashback} 

 

This little box has caught my attention… I can’t tell exactly what’s in it from here… I think I should take a closer look.

 

{Zoom into the contents of the box} 

 

Aaaand… I still have no idea what I’m looking at. 

 

{Inside the box are half a dozen electrical devices which are each attached to a small brown package} 

 

Whatever these are… they look quite dangerous… 

 

Huh, there’s an instruction booklet inside the box… that’s handy.

 

“Remote Fire Starters: A blazing fire at the flick of a switch” 

 

Boy… that doesn’t sound good does it? 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

That box contained those fire starters…

 

Fusume ended up hiding them didn’t she? That’s why the box is empty. 

 

I guess that’s another danger avoided. 

 

 

I wonder… the fire in the evidence locker… could one of these devices be behind the incident?

 

Fusume did say that she’d hide them in her room and keep them away from the rest of the group… 

 

That makes it quite unlikely for the blackened to have gotten access to one of these. 

 

I can’t discount the possibility that a firestarter was used… but the most probable option is that the fire was triggered by something else.

 

The question is… by what?

 

{REMOTE FIRESTARTERS added to truth bullets} 

 

 

That’s about all I think I’ll find in the armoury.

 

I should keep in mind that there are no ropes in this room… which means that if Fusume really was strangled, the blackened didn’t get the rope from here…

 

That doesn’t tell me much though… such a rope could have easily been found in the Black Building’s storage room. 

 

F-Fuck… I’m still so far from understanding the slightest aspect of this case. 

 

Let’s… move on already… before I go anymore insane. 

 

{Move to Green Building - 1st Floor} 

 

{Close-up on the entrance to the evidence locker, charred remains can be seen from outside the room} 

 

I think it’s pointless to even try to investigate the lockers… any sort of evidence will have been destroyed by the flames. 

 

Thinking about it logically… the blackened probably didn’t expect Jessie to have been in the evidence locker when they set fire to it… yet, they saw her there and  still destroyed the place… 

 

That leads me to think that there must have been something in here that they really didn’t want us to see!

 

Considering that this person is likely the traitor… maybe, there was some clue towards their identity in the locker… that’s why they had to destroy it! 

 

Could this be why Fusume was killed…? She’s the one who spent the most time in the locker after all. 

 

 

The room’s covered in ashes and soot… I shouldn’t waste my time trying to find some clue in here…

 

Actually… the very fact that this room was burnt probably means that this murder is deeply connected to our lost memories… and to those clues which we were shown in the Monokuma Bulletin. 

 

These audio clips might come up in the class trial… they might be related to all this after all… 

 

I should make a mental note of everything that we were shown… just in case!

 

{MONOKUMA BULLETIN added to truth bullets} 

 

 

 

 

And with that… I’ve investigated every single room in the building… and I still haven’t found anything to celebrate over. 

 

It looks like I still have a little time left. 

 

There’s only one place left to go… 

 

 

{Auto-move to Fusume’s room} 

 

As expected, Fusume’s room is unlocked, what I didn’t expect was… who I’d find in there. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You… 

 

Hayato: R-Reijiro… 

 

Reijiro: {Rubs eye, sad expression} I… have nothing to say to you. 

 

Hayato: Just give me a chance to explain-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Enough… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} If we have anything to discuss… then we shall do so at the class trial. 

 

Reijiro: {Rubs eye, sad expression} I will see you there. {Leaves} 

 

Dammit… I couldn’t really say anything there… 

 

He really doesn’t trust me… and in a way, he’s right not to. 

 

Still… kind of sucks for me.

 

 

It looks like he was reading through a file… he left it open on Fusume’s desk. 

 

I should probably take a look at it… for good measure. 

 

{Zoom onto the file} 

 

This is… yet another file about our class… Hope’s Peak’s 80th class. 

 

I’ve seen quite a few of these files since we got here… it’s thanks to the student list that we ended up deducing that Tadao had to be Caspian. 

 

Huh… turns out we might have been wrong after all. 

 

Still… those files have been important. 

 

Hey… what’s this? It looks like a letter… what does it say?

 

 

“The Hope’s Peak directorial committee hereby confirms that Fusume Ebisawa has been accepted as a late entry into the academy’s 80the class. 

 

Please note that this kind of last minute request would usually be rejected by the committee. However, these exceptional conditions give us no choice but to accept. 

 

Keep this in mind for the next time you desire to send us students. 

 

Sincerely”

 

What the hell is this…?

 

Fusume was… a last minute admission into our class!? Does that mean she wasn’t meant to be a part of our class at all?

 

And… who was this letter even addressed to…? Who would be… sending students to Hope’s Peak…?

 

How have I never heard of this until now?

 

Did Fusume… even know about this?

 

So many… fucking questions… and there’s no one to answer any of them. 

 

{80TH CLASS FILE added to truth bullets} 

 

 

{Monitor turns on in Fusume’s room} 

 

Monokuma: That’s right you bastards! Time is officially up! 

 

Monokuma: You’ve had an extra long investigating period this time around… I hope that means that you’re all fully prepared for the trial!

 

Monokuma: Heh… you do have yet another double murder to solve after all… 

 

Monokuma: You know the drill by now, the elevator will be waiting for you in the aula. Don’t be late!

 

{Monitor turns off} 

 

Dammit… time’s up already. 

 

I’ve never felt so unprepared for a class trial before… 

 

Not only will I have to defend myself from accusations about Kenji’s murder… I’ll also have to figure out who killed Fusume… 

 

This won’t be easy at all… 

 

No use in stalling… 

 

Time to go face the music. 

 

{Auto-move to Black Building - Aula} 

 

When I made it to the aula, everybody was here, and when I say everybody… I mean all 6 of us. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Jessie! Kôzuke! You had us so worried!

 

Jessie: {Sad} I’m fine… and it’s all thanks to Kôzuke-kun. 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping} I was so scared… I thought I’d die… but… he saved me. 

 

It looks like Jessie’s calmed down slightly since the last time we saw her. 

 

Maybe Kôzuke’s bravery convinced her that we’re not all that bad. Hard to say. 

 

I turned around to look at Kôzuke and… let’s just say that the sight wasn’t too pretty.

 

{Camera pans to show Kôzuke from top to bottom. His face, arms and legs are covered in burns} 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} How do I look…? Monokuma said that the scars might leave eventually… but I’m not gonna keep my hopes up on that one!

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} At least… it doesn’t hurt anymore. I’m pretty high on painkiller to be honest. 

 

Hikari: {Tearing up} Kôzuke… you were so brave!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Was I? I acted on instinct… and now I’m disfigured. Seems kinda foolish to me man. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} If you hadn’t acted… Jessie would likely be dead. What you did was everything but foolish!

 

Hikari: {Small smile} And… those scars kinda make you look badass. 

 

Kôzuke: {Blushes} R-Really!? You really think that?

 

Hayato: She’s right! You’ll have cool stories to tell to people you meet once we’re out of here… there aren’t many people who can claim they saved someone’s life!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} That is… if people aren’t scared of me because of my face…

 

Jessie: {Softly} Kôzuke-kun… who cares what other people think about you… what matters is that… 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping} You saved my life… and I don’t know how to thank you for that.

 

Jessie: You’re a hero to me. 

 

Kôzuke: {Blushes} N-No… it’s not like that man… I just did what I had to!

 

Jessie: {Softly} Let these scars serve as a reminder that you’re not a coward!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} J-Jessie…!

 

That’s right… it took a heroic gesture for Kôzuke to finally prove to himself that he was braver than he once thought. 

 

I guess that’s the good takeaway from this whole thing. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… I appreciate the sentiment… and I am truly glad to see that you are both in good health… but our priority is now to solve this double murder. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Kenji was bad enough… but Fusume’s dead too man… this is really horrible. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Two… more… victims… when will this stop…?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} We will hear the two of you out in the class trial… but for now, we must descend to the trial grounds. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Reijiro… what’s the rush for?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I… have my reasons to want this over with quickly. The blackened will be brought to justice… that is all I will say.

 

He stared at me as he said that. All that was clearly targeted at me. 

 

Reijiro is already convinced of my guilt. I’ll have to see what his angle of attack is before I decided on how to act in this situation… 

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3EHCTP3jic)

 

Before any of us could speak, Reijiro silently made his way inside the elevator. He was clearly avoiding eye contact as we all looked at him, confused. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I guess… we’ll celebrate the fact that the two of you are okay after the class trial… for now, we should follow Reijiro. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Let’s just… get this over with.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I hope that we’ll get it right man… so that this wasn’t all for nothing. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} We… have to survive…

 

 

Quickly after that, we all entered the elevator and the doors closed behind us. As suddenly as ever, the device rumbled and started its descent. 

 

The inevitable descent that would lead me to my death.  

 

{Camera shows all 6 students in the elevator, all of them look uneasy and nervous} 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCho8m4Zyc&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=13) 

 

We lost Kenji long before his death… I think the craziness of this place got the better of him. 

 

I wish we could have saved him… but he snapped and I ended up killing him in self-defense. It was my life or his… and for some reason I’m the one who made it out alive. 

 

Murdering another human being doesn’t feel like I would have expected. 

 

I’ve written about so much death… but it couldn’t have prepared me for that sensation.

 

I really thought about confessing… how was I supposed to fight against my closest friends…? And try to send them to a gruesome death?

 

That seemed… impossible. 

 

{Camera shows monochrome comic book style close ups of Reijiro, Kôzuke, Yoko, Shinto, Fukami and Raiko. Fukami, Yoko and Raiko have been reddened out}

 

Fusume’s death changed everything. 

 

Another double murder. 

 

This was different… I know for a fact that I killed Kenji… but I didn’t kill Fusume. 

 

Somebody else did that to her. 

 

For the first time since we started those trials… we’re dealing with two separate blackened. 

 

That person… killed Fusume mercilessly… and they will now try to win the class trial… like me. 

 

{Camera shows a similar fashion of close-ups of Kenji, Oriana, Jessie, Rina, Fusume and Kyia. Everybody’s portrait but Jessie’s have been reddened out} 

 

Fusume… no matter what she thought… she was an amazing leader.

 

She made everybody feel safe, no matter the great danger we were facing. 

 

She was my friend… and she didn’t deserve to die. 

 

Fusume should have lived… but the second blackened made sure that wouldn’t happen… 

 

I thought that by killing Kenji… I had become an enemy to the group. 

 

But no… the second blackened is my true enemy. 

 

{Camera shows Hayato, Hikari, Yoshi and Tadao in the same way, Yoshi and Tadao have been reddened out}

 

I cannot confess under these circumstances… I need to wait and see how everybody plays their cards. 

 

There’s only six of us left… which means that one of the other five is that heartless blackened.

 


They will try to trick us… and manipulate us towards a faulty verdict. 

 

If that person wins… we all die. 

 

My life doesn’t really have any value anymore… I will be executed regardless for my crime… 

 

That’s why… I have to fight for the others… if my death is certain, I should at least try to help them survive. 

 

If I confess… they’ll lose all faith in me and I won’t be able to help. 

 

That’s why I’ll need to keep myself off the radar while trying to figure out who the other blackened is. 

 

This trial… will be blackened against blackened. 

 

Only one of us can win… 

 

It has to be me… 

 

I might not be prepared evidence wise… but I won’t accept failure. 

 

I’ll avenge Fusume… no matter what it takes… no matter what I have to do. 

 

In a situation such as mine, I’ll have… to play dirty. 

 

{JUST LIE added to truth bullets} 

 

That’s right… I’m a blackened, I’m evil. That’s why I won’t be fighting fair and square. 

 

This will be my hardest trial yet… playing both the defensive and the offensive side at once will certainly be a challenge.

 

 

Heh… thinking about it now… I took offense to it back then but… Kurozo had a point back then when he taunted me.

 

This class trial… it was made for me.

 

And even in the toughest of situations… I will play the game… and I will win. 

 

For my sake… and for everybody else’s. 








Notes:

And so the penultimate class trial begins, and it's another double (I've said it a hundred times before but I love double murders).

With everything to play for, how will Hayato play his cards? Stay posted for the answer to that question in the next few updates!

As usual, comments and predictions are super appreciated. This is the last murder trial so it's the perfect time to give me your predictions on who's responsible for these terrible events.

I've managed to hold my bi-weekly schedule for these past two updates as they were slightly shorter so I'll try to stick to that in the future (not making any promises though, uni is hard). Either way, you can expect the truth bullets update in a week's time and hopefully the class trial in two weeks.

Thanks again for reading! Your support means a ton to me! I'll see you all in the next one :)

Chapter 58: Chapter 5 : Monokuma Presents "The Greatest Heist" : Truth Bullets

Notes:

As usual here are the truth bullets for the fifth class trial!

Hope these might be useful to some of you!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Monokuma File #5

The victim is Kenji Kimata, the Ultimate Survivor, the body was discovered in the Gallery. The time of death is estimated at around 10 AM. The victim died of blunt force trauma after having been hit on the head with a heavy object. There were no other notable injuries on the victim’s body nor traces of poison in his blood. 

 

Fusume’s account

Fusume and Reijiro were together in the Green Building all morning. They didn’t leave each other until they found Kenji’s body in the gallery after hearing a loud noise coming from there. The both of them can therefore vouch for the other’s alibi. 

 

Fusume’s autopsy

The autopsy corroborates the information contained in the Monokuma File, Kenji was indeed hit by a heavy object. Fusume also stated that once the killing blow had been dealt, Kenji’s death was close to instantaneous. 

 

Blood on Kenji’s hand

Kenji’s right hand is covered in blood despite the fact that it was laying outside of the pool of blood that had formed beneath his head. 

 

Kenji’s knife

Kenji threatened Hayato with a knife before his death. However, that knife seems to have vanished during the investigation period. 

 

Trophy’s head

Kenji was hit with a trophy in Kyia’s effigy. It appears that Kyia’s head was broken off on impact. The head has not been found anywhere near the body. 

 

Kôzuke’s account

Kôzuke slept in this morning as the usual meeting was cancelled. He was woken up by an alarm coming from one of the neighbouring rooms at 10 AM sharp. 

 

Gallery Window Sensor

There is a sensor on the Gallery’s window that tracks when the window was last open. Moreover, a loud alarm is heard in the room once that happens. At the time of the investigation, the sensor reads: “Last opened : 23:18”.

 

State of the Gallery

Until the body was discovered, the Gallery was a locked room of sorts as Kenji’s body blocked the door. The only person other than the victim who was inside the room at the time was Hayato who found unconscious. 

 

Caspian’s cape

Caspian’s cape was found teared up inside a trash can close to the crime scene. Until then, it was last seen in Kenji’s possession. 

 

Shinto’s cast

Shinto’s right arm is still injured after an earlier incident. Furthermore, his cast makes that arm almost completely unusable. 

 

Coffee Machine

The security office’s coffee machine follows a complex procedure that forces students to scan their Resident ID. On screen, the following message could be seen : 

“Today’s orders :

 H.H : 9:47 → 10:04”

 

Fusume’s injury

Fusume had a small stab wound on her flank. She lost a lot of blood. It appears that somebody tried to bandage the wound before ripping it off. A piece of bandage was found in Fusume’s hand. 

 

Rope Burns

There were clear signs of rope burn on Fusume’s neck. It should be noted that they were not as deep as Tadao’s when he was hanged to death. 

 

Hikari’s picture

A picture of the contents of the vault taken by Hikari. Fusume’s body can be seen on top of a scattered pile of files. A little dent can be seen on the vault’s back wall. 



Vault room’s crane

A small crane that was installed by Kurozo next to the vault. Monokuma claims that he doesn’t know its purpose but that it is extremely loud once turned on. 

 

Monokuma Safe report

Monokuma produced a report that supposedly proves that the safe’s door wasn’t opened until Fusume’s body was discovered. The only way to open said door was with a key which never left his possession.

 

Kurozo’s account

Kurozo managed to get access to Monokuma’s tracking software on Reijiro and Fusume’s Resident ID. He can therefore confirm that the both of them were together at all times this morning. 



Remote firestarters

There was a box of firestarters which could be started remotely in the Armoury. However, Fusume hid them as well as other weapons on the first day in the new building. 



Monokuma bulletin

The two bulletins showed audio clips of Yoko, Kyia and Fukami in the Eden Corp fire as well as Reijiro, Hikari, Kenji and Hayato in the aftermath of an incident involving someone named Jiro. 



80th Class File

A file which contains a letter in which Fusume’s last minute admission is discussed. It appears that she was originally not intended to be a student in Hope’s Peak’s 80th class. 

 

Just lie 

I have no choice but to win this extraordinary trial. If I have nothing else up my sleeve, I won’t hesitate to lie in order to reach the truth. 

 

Notes:

You now have all the information you need to solve this unusual case. I can't wait to hear all your theories!

In other news, I've been reading a fangan called Danganronpa : Project Phoenix recently and it's really good (+ the author's nice so that's a bonus). I'd definitely suggest giving it a look while you wait for the next update!

Hopefully that wait won't be too long, I'm planning to get the first chapter of the class trial in around a week's time! Any updates on the ETA will be given on the fic's discord.

That's it for me! Hope you'll enjoy this fifth and final murder trial! I can't wait to share if with all of you!

I'll see you in the next one :)

Chapter 59: Chapter 5 : Monokuma Presents "The Greatest Heist" : Class Trial part 1

Notes:

Here's part 1 of the class trial right on schedule!

Let's see what sort of tricks Hayato will have up his sleeve this time around!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

For the fifth time ever, we entered the trial grounds. 

 

{Scene opens on the trial grounds, it has once again been redecorated. The place has been made to look like a jungle. Dense vegetation is growing from the ground and exotic trees cover the walls. Traditional japanese banners are hanging from some of the tree branches as well.}

 

Yep… Monokuma’s definitely in charge again. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Wh-What is this?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Are we really indoors men? It really feels like we’ve changed country or something

 

Looking at the “sky”, it appears that some sort of holographic projection is being used… the ceiling has transformed into a clear blue sky. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forwards} You… fool… this is how you spend our budget?

 

Monokuma: {Amused} C’mon don’t piss on my parade! My decoration’s amazing! 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} The jungle setting… and those banners… this is just you mocking Kenji and Fusume. 

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} Once again… you show no respect for the dead.

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Anyway, my decoration choices aren’t on trial here… get your asses on your podiums… now!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} This trial is going to be a wild one… pun very much intended. 

 

… 

 

Nobody knew what to answer to that terrible… and frankly disrespectful joke so we all made our way to our podiums. 

 

 

With only six of us left… the room looked almost empty. It’s the first trial in which there are more students dead than alive. 

 

That realisation made my head spin for a second.

 

{New portraits have been set up for the three students who died since the last trial. Oriana has Black Swan-esque makeup drawn on her eyes and a black X covering her face, Fusume’s X is made to look like a shuriken while Kenji’s face is covered with a skull and crossbones reminiscent of a pirate flag.} 

 

To nobody’s surprise… Monokuma has really gone all out with the irreverence. 

 

It’s hard to believe that three people died since the last time we stepped foot inside this room.

 

Oriana and Kenji weren’t faultless… but Fusume didn’t deserve to die today.

 

That’s why I have to figure out the truth about what happened to her… even if it’s the last thing that I do. 

 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What are we waiting for? Monokuma, get to your introduction already!

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Somebody’s eager to get started huh? 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} What happened today… shall not go unpunished.

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Yes, yes… if you say so. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forwards} You’ve had your fun Monokuma… time to get the trial started. 

 

Him… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I’m afraid I can’t help you… not with this at least. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What do you mean… not with this? 

 

Reijiro: {Glar} Are you implying that… you can help us with something else?

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Yes, that’s what I’m saying… 

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} Before I say anything… you must know that this is completely off the record… Monokuma cannot know about this. 

 

Hayato: It’s not like we’re going to tell him… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} He’s taken control of the killing game once more… and he’s making a mess of it… which is why…

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} I’m willing… to help you guys as much as I can!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Y-You’re joking!

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} I’m perfectly serious… I cannot do much without him noticing… but I’ll do what I can… starting right now. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

He wants us to believe that he’s on our side… but I don’t trust him, not after the shit he pulled last time around. 

 

I can’t help it… he might have convinced Reijiro and Fusume… but not me. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} 

 

His leather chair has been replaced by Monokuma’s golden lifeguard chair once again. The elephant is now sitting next to Monokuma on a simple wooden chair. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} How right you are my tusked colleague… enough foreplay. Let’s get the festivities under way! 

 



(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 )

 

Monokuma: Ahem, before anything else, let’s go over the rules of the class trial once more. 

 

Monokuma: When you’ve reached a decision, you will vote on “whodunnit” thanks to the tablets in front of you.

 

Monokuma: The outcome of the trial depends on your votes: If you get it correct, then the blackened alone is executed for disrupting order.

 

Monokuma: However, if you get it wrong… Then the real culprit will leave the resort unharmed, and all the remaining residents will be executed instead.

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Ah… I’ve missed saying that. I suppose that you’ve equally missed hearing it!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Suppose away. Before we begin the discussion… I have a question I want to ask. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} What is it Shinto?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} This isn’t the first time that we’ve had a double murder… 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I think we can all remember what happened last time around… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} R-Right…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I just… ggh… Y-Yoko… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Shinto! Concentrate!

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} Right… sorry… I wanted to ask if the rules had changed… as far as two different blackened students go. 

 

The rules… I remember what Monokuma said last time. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Now, Fusume did also ask me what would happen if there were two blackened students in this case… 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Two blackened… 

 

Monokuma: {Happy} It’s a valid question, after all, two dead bodies do pave the way for two killers!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Just get to the point… 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Fine, for my entertainment’s sake, I will not reveal whether there are one or two blackened students… 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} You won’t?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} However, I shall tell you this… the class trial won’t be considered complete until all surviving blackened are found. Is that clear?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… so, however many killers there are… we have to discover all of them out… correct?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} That’s exactly it! Well done Reijiro, I see that your brain still functions pretty damn well… despite the forced starvation!

 

Jessie: {Scared} Fuirich diog! Does that mean… that if there are two blackened… they will both be executed!?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Why of course… every blackened will be punished, the rules are the rules!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Of course! There is absolutely no reason for those rules to be invalidated!

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} There will be no change in the protocol. If this case contains two separate blackened students, the trial will not be over until both have been found out. 

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} So… things haven’t changed then… 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} There might be… two more executions… that would only leave… four of us alive. 

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps backpack} So many… killers… 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} That would only be the case if there really are two killers… we can’t know that for sure. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} There could only be one blackened for all we know! 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Or… even better, one of the mascots could be behind all this… like last time!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Fusume’s body was found in a place which none of us could reach after all!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Nope… not happening this time. I’ve learnt my lesson. The blackened is most definitely one of you guys! 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} But… how can it be possible then…?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Is it really that hard to grasp?

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} Monokuma… you have to admit that it is odd for the murder to have occured in such a sealed chamber. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forwards} Only you had the key to open the main door at the front of the vault. It’s natural for there to be suspicions-

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I don’t remember allowing you to talk Kurozo. Please, remember your place. 

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} …

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Now… can we start or is there anybody else who wants to interrupt me?

 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Good…

 

So that’s how it is going to be… I see. 

 

The others might be unsure but I know that there definitely are two blackened. 

 

I killed Kenji… and somebody else killed Fusume. 

 

I can’t say that I’m at ease with the idea of dying… but I need to put those thoughts aside for now. I’ll come out with everything once I’ve found the blackened. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I guess… we should get started… right?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Well… where do we begin?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} There are two different murders… which might be unrelated to each other… we have a lot of work in front of us. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… I do not believe the murders to be unrelated… it would be too big of a coincidence. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Then… maybe we should start with Kenji-kun… since it’s less impossible in its nature… at least that is what I understand of it. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Indeed, this first murder seems… quite straightforward.

 

Oh boy… here we go. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Does anybody have any objection to us proceeding in chronological order?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} No… I guess it does make sense to focus on Kenji’s death first. Maybe figuring out what happened to him will help us understand Fusume’s death later on. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} It does seem… more attainable to work in that order. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} So… no objections? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You… you have been quiet so far. Perhaps you have something to say?

 

As he said those words, he stared deep into my eyes. 

 

This is a trap… he wants me to make a mistake because he already suspects me.  

 

I see… that’s how he’s going to play it. 

 

He usually isn’t so aggressive… normally he waits and quietly analyses everybody before going on the offensive. 

 

But here… he’s laid a trap out for me from the get-go. 

 

If I was to say I was against investigating Kenji’s murder first, it would make looking suspicious for everyone else. 

 

I… have to play along for now… I won’t fall in his traps. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} No… I agree that we should begin with Kenji. I don’t think any of us would know where to start with Fusume either way. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… very well. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Let us begin… 

 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} The murder… uh… Kenji’s murder, it happened in the Green Building’s gallery. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} At least… that’s where the body was found. We don’t know for certain that he was actually killed there. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I guess that’s true, even though it would have been complicated to just move him around… without anybody noticing. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} The murder weapon is also quite obvious this time around… wouldn’t you say?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} R-Right… it was that trophy that looked like Kyia-kun… it definitely looks heavy enough to be the weapon. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} The killer… hit Kenji with that trophy… and just like that… he was dead. 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} The question is… who did this to him exactly?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I see…

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Reijiro-kun?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} It appears that nobody is going to address the elephant in the room… which is why I shall have to do it myself. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} This first murder… has a very clear suspect. 

 

As expected, here he comes on the offensive once again. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You mean… Hayato?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Of course… is it not obvious to suspect him considering what we know of the case?

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Despite the fact that the room was technically unlocked… the victim’s body creates a locked room scenario of sorts. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} A locked room…?

 

Reijiro: In essence, there was no way to open the door with the body in this position. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Taking that into account… I cannot fathom anybody having done this other than… the man who was in the room with the victim!

 

Jessie: {Slams fist on podium} H-Hayato-kun! Could it be…?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} C’est peut-être la solution que nous cherchons…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} There’s no way!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I beg your pardon?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Hayato… can’t be a killer… I mean, it’s Hayato we’re talking about!

 

I’m not sure how to take that… but thanks, I guess?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Is that… your argument?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Sh-She’s got a point man! Hayato’s always been the one who got us through the trials. He’s a good guy… I can’t imagine him committing murder. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I guess… it does… seem off… but… how am I supposed to trust him… or anyone for that matter. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… I see. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’m not sure I can side with you guys on this one. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Sh-Shinto…?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I’m all for trusting Hayato… he’s my friend… and I can’t say that he seems like the killer type. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} But we can’t take him off the suspect list just because we trust him… that would be foolish. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Finally, somebody with a rational mindset. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Shinto man… you really think he could have done it?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I… don’t know what to think. I just don’t want to make a mistake… I think we’ve all learnt that we must be careful who we trust in this place. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} R-Right…

 

Hikari: {Sad} How… can you say that?

 

In a way… I guess that Shinto’s less naive than the rest of them. If he takes Reijiro’s side then it’s bad news for me. 

 

I… can’t stay silent indefinitely, I should probably say something here. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} I understand how the circumstances make me look… but I didn’t kill anyone.

Reijiro: {Sly grin} And so you found yourself locked in a room with a dead body by coincidence? That’s what you claim? 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} N-No, that’s not what I’m saying-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Then what…? You were framed?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I… I don’t know… 

 

Reijiro: You must know something!

 

Hayato: {Angry, pulls on scarf} He wanted me to meet him in the gallery… I got there at 10 and someone knocked me out!

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} So… that’s what happened?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Was Kenji already dead then? Did you see his body when you entered the gallery?

 

Crap… I hadn’t thought of that… I need to make up something on the spot. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I… don’t know… I didn’t see anyone… at least I don’t remember doing so. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} A likely story. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The problem is, you did not see the victim, nor did you see a third party who could be involved. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} That only leaves you… and the victim!

 

He… he’s got me there… 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Sadly, your account does not innocent you from this crime… not at all in fact. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I guess… claiming that you do not remembering makes you quite suspicious Hayato-kun.

 

Hikari: {Sad} It’s suspicious… but it doesn’t prove anything! 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Doesn’t it? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} He was stuck in the room with the victim… nobody could have entered the room so because of the position of the body. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} With that in mind… how can the blackened be anybody but him?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… don’t know yet… but as long as we haven’t proved it beyond the shadow of a doubt we need to give him a chance!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} That’s right, even though it’s not looking good for Hayato, I don’t want to accuse him just yet. 

 

These two really trust me… I don’t think they’ll appreciate the truth once it comes out. 

 

Reijiro’s not wrong… there’s technically no one else who could have done it but me. 

 

I really wasn’t lucky with the way Kenji’s body blocked the door. I could argue my way out of it if it fell any differently. 

 

I need to find an angle to defend myself… even if it’s crap. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I can definitely see your point Reijiro… I’m just not the killer though. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… I am afraid your word will not suffice. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well… I have to agree with Hikari, you can’t vote for me until you’ve eliminated all other options right? You haven’t really proved anything yet.

 

Rejiro: {Glare} And you haven’t provided any explanation as to how anybody but you could have entered the room. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I don’t have an explanation, remember… I was unconscious for most of the investigation as well. I’m not sure what happened exactly. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} If you have nothing better to bring to the table… how can you expect us to believe that you could be innocent? 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} … 

 

Jessie: {Sad} … 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I uh… 

 

Calm down Hayato… try to think logically. 

 

These three are clearly my biggest concern at the moment. Reijiro is leading the attack, Jessie doesn’t really trust anyone and Shinto is clearly thinking logically… he’ll probably reach the truth soon. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} …

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

On the other hand… the two of them seem to  have faith in me. 

 

If things stay like this, it’s going to be 3 against 3. This isn’t ideal but it’ll have to do for now. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Well… we all await an answer! How can anybody but you be the killer? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} W-Well- 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} P-Please wait! 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} H-Hikari-chan? 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Clearly… Hayato can’t answer you yet Reijiro… pushing him like that won’t get us anywhere!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… then what do you propose exactly?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} The circumstances look so bad for him… there’s a real possibility that he’s been framed!

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Framed how? Even if somebody really was in the room with the both of them, they would have had no way to leave the room after Kenji was killed!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} It r-really seems impossible man!

 

Hikari: {Sad} I don’t know how it could have been done but… still! We have to do this the same way we’ve gotten through every trial!

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Even if an answer seems obvious… we need to check all the facts before we make a decision!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} She’s right! If we hadn’t done that… we would have probably voted for Kenji last time around… and gotten it wrong for that matter. 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} R-Right… we’ve dealt with pretty crazy murders guys… even if something seems impossible, it doesn’t mean that there isn’t a way around it!

 

Hayato: Thank you… Hikari. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hm… vielleicht… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… so… that is how you want to proceed?

 

This won’t do anything but buy me time… eventually they’re bound to reach the correct conclusion. 

 

As long as we focus on Kenji’s death I won’t get any closer to the truth as far as Fusume’s murder goes… 

 

How… do I play this…?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Very well then… we shall discuss alibis. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Reijiro…? You really want to do this?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} If you insist, I will not make things any more difficult. We can discuss everybody’s alibis all you want!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Quickly you will realise… how obvious the truth has been all along. 

 

He really isn’t backing down is he?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Let us begin with my alibi… it is crucial that you all know that you can trust me. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I will tell you exactly why I cannot be the culprit!

 

Alright… Hikari’s given me some time to stall. I need to make the best of it… let’s see if I can find anything to counter Reijiro’s claims!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckx2nvp8L3g&t )

 

{Truth Bullets : Monokuma File #5, Fusume’s account, Kôzuke’s account, Kurozo’s account, Shinto’s cast}

 

Reijiro: {Smug} My alibi is simple. I was with… Fusume, all morning. 

 

Reijiro: I didn’t leave her sight until we found the body. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} R-Reijiro… since when do you refer to people by name?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Would my account be useful is I said I was with “that girl”? 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} So… you do remember our names… you just decided against using them. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Guys focus… is there any proof to back Reijiro’s alibi

 

Jessie: {Sad} Fusume-chan isn’t here to confirm what he’s saying… so that will not help. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} She would have confirmed it had she been alive… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Neither of us could possibly be the killer!

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps backpack} Y-Yet you cannot prove what you say Reijiro-kun!

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} You could… be making that up … since Fusume-chan can’t disprove any of it!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} That is indeed a possibility… but it is not the truth. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} As long as you cannot prove that I am lying… my alibi holds! 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} If only there was a way to know what is what…

 

 

I think that there is in fact a way to do just that. 

 

Whether that really helps me though… that’s the question I should ask myself. 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Fusume’s account → any proof to back up Reijiro’s alibi

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Shinto} YEAH, YOU’RE RIGHT!



{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34 )

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I think there is a way to back up Reijiro’s alibi actually. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You… why?

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} What are you talking about… Hayato-kun? 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Jessie, you said that Fusume confirm what Reijiro told us because she wasn’t here with us anymore. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Well, yes that makes sense right?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} It does… but the thing is that she did confirm it… but when she was alive. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Sh-She did?

 

{Flashback} 



 

Fusume: {Confident} That’s essentially all I know… I’ve spent all of the investigative period here with you. 

 

Hayato: In other words… you and Reijiro can back up each other’s alibis for this morning.

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Indeed… we were together all morning… and when we entered the gallery he was already dead… Reijiro can confirm that. 

 

Hayato: I’m sure he will. Thanks Fusume!

 

Fusume: {Content} Not a problem!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Fusume was the first person I talked to upon walking up… and her account was exactly the same as Reijiro’s. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Doubting Reijiro makes sense since he could lie to create himself an alibi… but Fusume had to reason to conceal the truth. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I guess it wouldn’t make much sense for her to lie about that…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So… Reijiro was telling the truth. That’s good to know. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I am an open book, as I have said countless times. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} We really have no reason to doubt him… his alibi clearly seems to hold. We have both his word and Fusume’s. 

 

Reijiro’s alibi is clear… even I can’t deny that. Fusume wouldn’t have lied to me. 

 

This isn’t too good for me though. It would have been much easier if Reijiro’s credibility had been questioned. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Now… whose turn is it? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Everybody’s alibi will have to be examine for this process to be fair! 

 

(Music : None} 

 

Jessie: {Desperate} P-Please wait! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Jessie…?

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps backpack} We’re r-really supposed to believe him so easily? 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} What do you mean so easily? Doesn’t Fusume’s account prove that he was telling the truth?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} W-Well, not really! How do we know that the two of them weren’t working together!?

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} Why would we ever do such a thing? Do you not remember the rule about accomplices. 

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps backpack} That doesn’t mean anything! You definitely could have been in cahoots! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} You could have worked together in order to get the safe open and get rid of the most dangerous student in the group… and then Fusume-chan could have killed herself in order to avoid execution!

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps backpack} That is… a possibility!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I guess… that makes sense. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} B-But… would we really have had a trial if the blackened was dead?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I think we would have… Tadao was his own killer and we still had to figure that one out… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} How… could you suggest such a thing…? She would never… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} I’m sorry but… your word isn’t enough for me… just like Hayato-kun’s wasn’t enough for you!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

Jessie: {Desperate} Y-You… you could be lying! You could be trying to manipulate us!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} But if that was the case… wouldn’t Reijiro tell us the truth now…? Lying about it would just kill all 6 of us, him included. 

 

Jessie: {Angry with hand over mouth} I… I… I won’t believe it without proof! Y-You give me no reason to trust you!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I am not… lying. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} J-Just prove it please… I can’t rely on words alone… I just can’t do that anymore. 

 

Jessie’s theory is wrong, I know that… but unless there is actual proof of Reijiro’s innocence to be found, it’s going to be hard to convince her. 

 

I should think this through… is there a way to calm her down?

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Kurozo’s account

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34 )

 

Hayato: {Determined} There is proof that Reijiro isn’t lying… and I think you’ll agree that it’s pretty indisputable Jessie!

 

Jessie: {Sad} I’ll b-be the judge of that!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Our Resident ID tablets have a tracking function. 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} That’s right! Daddy Monokuma needs to know where his children are at all times!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} P-Please… don’t ever refer to yourself as daddy ever again. 

 

Jessie: {Desperate} S-So… what!?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Well, the fact is that Kurozo gave me some information about Fusume’s and Reijiro’s locations this morning…

 

Monokuma: {Confused} Wait… Kurozo’s not supposed to have access to that sort of stuff. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} What did you do you pachydermous fool!?

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Nothing that I’m ashamed of doing!

 

Monokuma: Grr… you… you… 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} I’ll… deal with you later… please continue kids. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Tell us Hayato… what the tracking results were!

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} We only have data on Reijiro and Fusume for reasons that I won’t get into right now… but the results are clear. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Reijiro and Fusume really were together all morning! They’re telling the truth!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} … 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} He was really telling the truth… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Sorry for doubting you… R-Reijiro man… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I understand the confusion… but I really am innocent. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Th-They still could have worked together. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The possibility exists… but it seems really unlikely doesn’t it? 

 

Hayato: Unless they formed some sort of suicide pact… Reijiro would have no reason not to tell us if they really had worked together. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenched fist, frustrated} Which we definitely did not do. 

 

Hayato: I understand that you have doubts Jessie… but if we’re being rational, I really cannot see the two leaders of the group work together to get us all killed. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} That’s not really realistic to be fair. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} They wouldn’t do that man… 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I don’t think so either… 

 

Jessie: {Desperate} N-No… I… I… f-f-f-fine!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Maybe I was wrong… maybe it’s too unrealistic but then… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50yShkEarT4 )

 

Jessie: {Angry grasps backpack} Which of you did it!? Tell me now!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} J-Jessie, please calm down. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Don’t tell me to calm down… it could very well have been you Hikari-chan!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} No… Hikari and I were together this morning!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Th-Then you’re working together as well! 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I really don’t think that anybody’s working with anybody man… we’re just as confused as you are-

 

Jessie: {Desperate} Then, it must be you Kôzuke-kun! It’s you! You were alone!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} P-Please don’t accuse me… I didn’t do anything wrong. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} You might have saved my life but… n-no… can it really be him?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} You’re quick to accuse Jessie… but to be honest, you don’t have an alibi either… do you? 

 

Jessie: {Desperate} Y-You would doubt me… after everything?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Do not get lost in such childing debates… I have told you time and time again… the culprit is evident. 

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps backpack}  Càllate, Reijiro-kun… I still don’t trust you!



Jessie: {Desperate} Wh-Which one of you did it!? Who is it!? Who is it!!!!!?

 

This is getting out of hand. I need to find a way to calm everybody down… quickly. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} I’m not the killer!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} It’s not me, I’m not the killer!

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps backpack} One of you… is the killer!

 

MASS PANIC DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APmmnq7EpPA )

 

{Truth bullets : Kôzuke’s account, Shinto’s cast, Monokuma File #5, Gallery window sensor, Trophy’s head} 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} I don’t understand why I’m being accused here!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Shinto and I were in the security office this morning!

 

Jessie: {Desperate} If it’s not Reijiro-kun or Fusume-chan… it’s got to be one of the other three!




Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I litterally did nothing wrong today…

 

Hikari: There’s no way either of us is the culprit!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} There is one more person you need to add to that list. 




Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I understand that I’m not the most reliable person in the room. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Correct… we both share an alibi.

 

Jessie: {Sad} I gu-guess Hayato-kun is also a possibility… any one of them could have done it!




Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} But you have to believe me man!

 

Shinto: {Points with cane accusatory} And even if we didn’t… the body blocking the door is still a problem. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, emptey eyes} I d-don’t know what to believe anymore…




Jessie: {Desperate} I want to trust you Kôzuke… I really do!

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I guess the only other way out would be out of that window in the gallery

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Why complicate things when the answer is so clear?




Jessie: But somebody… must be the culprit 

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} But that seems extremely complicated to pull off successfully!

 

Reijiro: {Points at Hayato} There is only one plausible culprit… and it’s you!

 

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Gallery window sensor

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 )

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Guys… if you can just all calm down for a second… Shinto touched on something important here. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I… did?

 

Definitely… and it’s not looking good for me… but now that I’ve started I can’t really back down from this. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} You mentionned the Gallery’s window as an alternate way out. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} It would be complicated but… Yoshi showed us that it was possible to get out from a window last time around! 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} You’re right… but in this case an escape out of the window would have been completely impossible!

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} Impossible…? Why man!?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} You see, there was a small sensor on the window. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} A… sensor? Oh! You mean that little machine thingy on the window sill?

 

Hayato: That’s the one… not only did that sensor trigger a loud alarm when the window was opened, it also recorder the last known time the alarm had rung. 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} What a… complicated system. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Complicated yes, but it turned out useful didn’t it?

 

He saw something like that coming… that’s why all those weird security precautions were put in place

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I suppose that you will tell us that the window was not open this morning… correct?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Y-Yes… that’s right… the sensor reads “Last opened : 23: 18”

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Heh… how comical… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} C-Comical… what are you talking about Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Points at Hayato} You… do you not realise what this means?

 

Yep, I do… this isn’t good at all. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} If the window was not opened at all on the morning of the crime…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Then you are the only plausible killer… like I have been saying all this time!

 

 

Mayday mayday… I’m in big trouble… 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} He’s right… you still haven’t given us any real explanation for that Hayato! 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} How am I supposed to explain anything if I don’t know what happened myself?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’m not sure… but the evidence is against you… and if you don’t find something to convince me otherwise soon… 

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} I will have no choice but to agree with Reijiro that you are probably the culprit. 

 

Fuck… 

 

Hikari: {Sad} But… Hayato… n-no… 

 

Jessie: {Desperate} Y-Yes that’s it! It’s got to be Hayato-kun… the locked room… pr-proves it!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} For the final time… do you have anything to say for your defense?

 

I need to find a counter-argument… quickly. 

 

Time to think things through. 

 

{2D diagram of the gallery, Kenji’s body blocks the door and a red X has been drawn on the window} 

 

This is a locked room scenario… quite clearly so too. 

 

Because of the way Kenji’s body has fallen, Reijiro’s got a point, nobody could have gotten through the door. 

 

Otherwise, Fusume and him wouldn’t have found the gallery the way they did. 

 

If things stay like that, they’ll understand that no one but me could have done it… 

 

There needs to be another way to perceive the room as a whole 

 

Time to apply that method once again… 

 

{Flashback}

 

The key to solving the locked room mystery is understanding all the different types of locked room mysteries…

 

According to a famous crime novel author… there are seven, but I’ll focus on the four principal ones!

 

Number 1 : The locked room is created after the crime was committed

 

Number 2 : The locked room already exists before the crime was committed

 

Number 3 : The killer stays in the room until it is opened up!

 

Number 4 : The locked room wasn’t a locked room at all… 

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Rina’s murder was number 4, there was a way out of the music room that we hadn’t envisonned.

 

Raiko’s murder was number 2, turns out you could comit the murder without ever entering the submarine. 

 

Let’s see… which of those possibilities could be applied here?

 

{Number 1/Number 2/Number 3/Number 4}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Number 1

 

===

 

Number 1… it’s the only one that is even remotely plausible. 

 

Time to bring my A-game in bullshitting… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} There might be something… a way to explain how somebody other than me could be the culprit. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Is that so?

 

Hayato: {Determined} What if the locked room was created after the crime was committed… or in our case, after the culprit left the room! 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You mean that the door wasn’t blocked by Kenji’s body when the blackened left… but then it was by the time Fusume and Reijiro got there?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} In that case, the only one who could have moved the body is you!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} N-No… that’s not what I meant, I was unconscious remember?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Then how do you propose the body was moved? 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Actually… I might have an idea. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I’m probably wrong but… I’ve thought of something. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Let’s hear you out then… I’m curious to hear how the body could have been moved without the blackened doing it directly. 

 

Yeah… I’m curious too, haven’t thought that far either to be honest. 

 

Let’s see what Kôzuke’s got for me… this might be a saving grace. 

 

And even if it isn’t… it will give me time to think of a way myself. 

 

I’ll have to take my time with this one… 

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t )

 

{Truth Bullets : Fusume’s autopsy, Monokuma File #5, State of the Gallery, Just lie, Fusume’s account }

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So uh… here’s what I think, right…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} And please don’t judge me if it’s wrong, I’m just trying something different. 

 

Hikari: {Smile} Nobody will judge you Kôzuke… just try your best! 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} O-Okay… so we’re wondering how Kenji’s body could have been moved without the blackened actually being there

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} That is indeed the big question. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} To be fair, I don’t think it’s actually possible… 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Dead bodies don’t move by themselves!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Th-That’s right but… what if he wasn’t dead when he moved?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You mean… he crawled towards the door after being struck… then died? 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Yes that’s it! If he did that then… there would be no need for the killer to actually be in the room with him? 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} That’s a pretty interesting theory Kôzuke-kun… I can’t think of anything more credible anyway…

 

Jessie: {Pouting} W-Wait! Shouldn’t Hayato-kun be the one telling us how it was done?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… a brilliant display of delegation there. 

 

 

I wish I could rebound on Kôzuke’s theory but… that’s just not possible. We can’t really get anywhere from a false assumption like this one. 

 

I should show them what I mean… with evidence! 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Fusume’s autopsy → he crawled towards the door after being struck

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34 )

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Actually I don’t think that’s possible Kôzuke. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} It’s not…? Why not man! 

 

Hayato: Think of it this way, for your proposition to be feasible, Kenji would have had to bleed out for a while before his death, correct?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} R-Right… and in that time he could have crawled and uh… 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} I’m afraid that just isn’t possible Kôzuke… 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} Hnngh… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} The victim’s death was… close to instantaneous was it not? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Indeed it was… Kenji died almost instantly after being struck… which means that there is no way that Kenji crawled at all!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Dammit man… I really thought I’d gotten it right for once.

 

Hikari: {Smile} It’s okay Kôzuke… don’t worry too much about it. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} If he didn’t crawl… then how exactly was he moved to the door?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I can answer that question… he simply didn’t. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} That is because this theory is nothing but a half-assed attempt to waste our time!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Ggh… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Unless you have a better theory to back up your point… I am afraid that we will have to discard this whole idea in its entirety. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} But… if Hayato’s theory is wrong then… the killer… 

 

If I can’t prove that the possibility exists… I’m in big trouble… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I really don’t think that Hayato’s the killer… which means there must be some way for Kenji to have been moved man! 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Must we really waste more time here?

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} I’m not sure that it’s necessary to go over the point any longer… Hayato hasn’t really proved anything at all!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Give us one more chance… if Hayato can’t prove it there and then… then I’ll accept your logic Reijiro. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I see… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Very well then… you will therefore have one chance only to prove that the locked room really could have been fictitious. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} If he can’t prove it… I’m afraid there won’t be much doubt left for me at least… it would really be impossible for anyone other than Hayato to be the killer… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Y-You gotta do your best Hayato! 

 

Looks like this is it… either I manage to come up with something believable right now… or it’s over for me. 

 

I can’t give up… not before I’ve found Fusume’s killer. 

 

There’s… no room for error!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXSH3q8F96E)

 

{Truth Bullets : Just lie, Kenji’s knife, Monokuma Bulletin, Trophy’s head, Caspian’s cape}

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} There must be a way… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} If Hayato isn’t the killer, then somebody must have sealed the room from the outside

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Either that… or he is simply lying to hide his guilt. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-No… that can’t be it. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Maybe… the body was moved directly from the corridor!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} No, that’s impossible. Kenji died on impact remember!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} If there was a closed door between the killer and Kenji-kun… how could they have déplacé le corps?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Maybe the killer held the dead corpse in front of the door and uh… the let it drop at the same time as they closed the door!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} It uh… would have fallen in front of the doorway … I think. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} All of your thinking is ludicrous… I will tell you what actually happened. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The victim fell when he was struck… leaving their killer stuck in the gallery with them. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} It’s as simple as that. 

 

 

It’s definitely going to be difficult to prove but… how could Kenji have theoretically been moved to the door?

 

I need to find a way to answer that question. One way or another. 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Caspian’s cape → the body was moved directly from the corridor

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Kôzuke} YEAH, YOU’RE RIGHT!



{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU )

 

Oh my god yes… that could work. 

 

It’s… insane… but it’s possible. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} I’ve… thought of something!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Heh… what now?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} A way the blackened could have blocked the door with Kenji’s body… without actually entering the gallery at all!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} That’s possible?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I was right?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You… you are making things up again!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} It might seem like kind of a stretch but… hear me out okay?

 

{2d diagram of the crime scene is shown again}

 

Hayato: Remember how Kenji had been carrying Caspian’s cape around since yesterday?

 

Hikari: Right… I think he really saw some sort of value in that cape.

 

Shinto: What about the cape? 

 

Hayato: The weird part is that I found the cape, torn in the middle, inside a trash can outside of the gallery!

 

Reijiro: The cape was torn? 

 

Kôzuke: Who would… tear it up man? That was a pretty valuable piece of evidence right?

 

Hayato: Here’s a theory… that explains both why the cape was torn… and how the body was moved!

 

Reijiro: You cannot be serious… 

 

{The cape is positioned under Kenji’s body on the diagram} 

 

Hayato: After Kenji was killed, the blackened put his body on top of the cape… right next to the doorframe. 

 

Jessie: The body… on top of the cape!?

 

{The door is now closed} 

 

Hayato: Kenji would have been positioned in a way that wouldn’t block the door. The killer could simply leave like that. 

 

Shinto: Then what?

 

Hayato: If the blackened had left a small piece of the cape protruding from under the door… then their trick was in place!

 

Hayato: All they would have to do now was to pull on the cape!

 

{The cape is dragged under the door and into the grey figure’s hands, Kenji’s body has slided into position} 

 

Hayato: Once they’d gotten the cape back, they would have pulled Kenji right in front of the door, blocking the door!

 

Hayato: The only risk they took… was that the cape might rip because of Kenji’s weight… and it did!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} This explains how the body could have been moved without actually being inside the Gallery! All thanks to that ripped up cape!

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} That…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Is…

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Insane!!!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} It’s somewhat far-fetched… even for our standards… but it’s a possibility!

 

Hayato: You wanted me to prove that somebody other than myself could be behind the crime… and I’ve done just that!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} This is just… outlandish speculations! There is no proof to 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Maybe so… but as long as the possibility exists… my guilt is far from being proven!

 

Hayato: It might be a stretch… but with that in mind… somebody other than me can be the killer… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} I’m not the only possible culprit anymore!

 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} 

 

Hikari: {Smile} Well done Hayato… I’m not sure where you pulled that one from. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I knew it man… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’m far from convinced… but Hayato’s theory would explain why that cape was ripped. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} This is… ridiculous. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} But fine… you have bought yourself some time. I am afraid that it will not be enough however. 

 

He’s right… I’m far from safe… but it’s better than nothing. 

 

Thank god for that cape… I’m not sure what bullshit I could have pulled if it wasn’t for it being there. 

 

Looks like my bluff works for now… time to continue with the stalling. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} My innocence is far from being proven, but I think it’d be a good idea to check you four’s alibis… 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} If Reijiro has an alibi and we chose to trust Hayato then that’s correct, one of us four must be the killer. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} One of us four…? N-No… but who…?

 

I’m not proud of turning them on themselves but I don’t really have a choice at the moment. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I guess now’s the time to remind everyone of my alibi… I was with Hikari in the security office from about 9 AM to after the body was discovered. 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Considering that Kenji was killed at 10 AM… neither of us can have done it!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I can confirm what he’s saying! We didn’t leave each other one second!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What were you two doing there anyway?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Nothing important… just talking?

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} What matters is that we have a solid alibi… which leaves you two!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} D-Don’t accuse me please!

 

Hikari: Do you have an alibi Kôzuke?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I was uh… in my room alone until 10 AM… not great but it’s the truth.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} And Jessie?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I was also alone… in the evidence room. 

 

Kôzuke: D-Damn… you were already there this morning. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} I was looking for something… and since I hadn’t found it this morning I went back there in the afternoon… that’s when the fire broke out. 

 

So… Hikari and Shinto were together while Jessie and Kôzuke were by themselves. 

 

Not all these alibis are bulletproof… that’s good news for once. 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Considering what we know… and supposing that we decide to trust Hayato for now. That only leaves Kôzuke and Jessie who were alone at the time of the crime!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I wasn’t even in the building man… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Or so you claim!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} You’re really accusing us? Just because we were alone?

 

Hayato: Well… if Shinto and Hikari can back up each other’s alibis… then realistically it does only leave the two of you-

 

Kôzuke: {Close-up on face} Y-YOU’RE ON THE WRONG TRACK MAN!

 

{Split-screen between Kôzuke and Hayato} 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Kôzuke?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m sorry but uh… we can’t discount Hikari and Shinto just yet man!

 

Hayato: But… they were together all morning weren’t they?

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Maybe so… but that doesn’t prove their innocence, not in my eyes!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Let me… show you what I mean?

 

Kôzuke still suspects Hikari and Shinto despite their alibi? I’ve got to see what his reasoning is… 

 

===

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4w_7v_BHM )



{Truth Blades: Coffee Machine, Shinto’s cast, State of the gallery} 

 

Kôzuke: They were together… sure. 

 

But couldn’t they have been working together man?

 

The logic’s just like what Jessie said earlier! 

 

They could have gotten rid of the biggest threat to the group… 

 

While also opening the safe for everyone to see!




ADVANCE

 

Hayato: But… that doesn’t change the fact that one of them would get killed if they did that!

 

Kôzuke: 

 

Still… it’s like what you said! The possibility exists!

 

They could have left the security office just before 10 AM… 

 

Killed him… 

 

Used that cape trick

 

And then come back like nothing happened!

 

 

I see… his argument is the same as Jessie’s… nothing proves that two people couldn’t have worked together… even though it would be suicide for one of them.

 

Unfortunately… this simply couldn’t have been done in this case. 

 

I’ll have to show him the facts he has been missing. 

 

===

 

 

 


SOLUTION : Coffee Machine → left the security office just before 10 AM…

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 )

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s impossible Kôzuke! Shinto and Hikari cannot be the culprits!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wh-Why!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I appreciate it but… can you really prove it?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I can… and it’s all thanks to that coffee machine!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The coffee machine?

 

{Flashback} 

 

This machine… looks super complicated… what happened to the good old days of simply using a pot to make your coffee… 

 

I prefered when things were analog… all this technology confuses me… 

 

They don’t have tea in here… do they?

 

Of course not… 

 

I cannot have good things in life. 

 

Hikari: {Smile} Would you like a tutorial on how this machine works Hayato?

 

Hayato: Yeah… I guess that would be useful. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Kurozo’s come here to explain stuff earlier… I was just as confused as you were before he did so. 

 

Hikari: Let’s see if I remember correctly.

 

{Zoom on the machine} 

 

Hikari: Ok so… to order a cup you’ve got to scan your Resident ID right here, and press on the desired button.

 

Hikari: The order will be delivered almost instantly.

 

Hayato: Seems simple enough… 

 

Hikari: Hold your horses, this is where it gets complex.

 

Hikari: When you’ve made an order, the room’s door will lock itself automatically. 

 

Hayato: Wh-What!? Why would it do that?

 

Hikari: It forces you to drink the coffee in here, the only way to open the door is to place your empty cup back into the machine and scan your ID again. 

 

Hikari: All that in an attempt to avoid littering… apparently. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Let’s put aside how pointless this whole system is and focus on the facts… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} As long as a cup of coffee was made at around the time of the murder… anybody inside the security office would be locked there… thus making them an impossible suspect in this crime! 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} My clever system strikes again!

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} I know how you zoomers are when it comes to littering… I hate it so much! 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I suppose that you will now tell us that somebody did order coffee at that time… right?

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s it exactly! The machine clearly reads that it was in use from 9:47 to 10.04 by “H.H”

 

Hayato: {Grinning} The only person with those initials is Hikari Hisano… which means that until 10:04 the door to the security office was locked with her in it!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Shinto and Hikari are telling the truth!

 

The logic is convoluted once again… but the results are here… that’s what matters. 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Good thing we made coffee I guess… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I’ll think of that… next time I drink. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} W-Wait! That doesn’t prove it yet! It only says that Hikari was in the room!

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} She could be covering for Shinto! Maybe he was out there slaying Kenji while she was drinking her coffee! 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} No… I don’t think that’s possible.

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Why isn’t it possible Hayato-kun?

 

Hayato: Simply because… 

 

{The machine only works for two people/Hikari doesn’t drink coffee/Shinto doesn’t drink coffee}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Hikari doesn’t drink coffee. 

 

===

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Yeah… it all seems a bit excessive… but I guess some people will be ready to go through all that trouble for a cup of coffee. 

 

Hayato: Would you?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Nah, I don’t like coffee, never have. 

 

Hayato: I… I see… 

 

It really tells you a lot about Hikari that she showed this much passion talking about a machine she’ll likely never use. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Hikari doesn’t drink coffee… which means that coffee was actually made for Shinto… correct?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Y-You remembered?

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} He’s right… I drank the coffee. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} W-Well then… I got it the wrong way around! 

 

Kôzuke: Shinto made himself coffee using Hikari’s Resident ID while she was killing Kenji! That’s the way it happened! 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} I’m afraid that can’t be either… 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} C’mon man! This is bullying now!

 

The piece of evidence that proves that Shinto couldn’t have done what Kôzuke claims… it’s this! 



SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Shinto’s cast

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} If you want to use the machine… you need to scan your Resident ID while also pressing the number of the product you’d like to order.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Well, that’s not too hard.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Maybe not for you… but it would be basically impossible for someone who couldn’t us both of their arms!

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} Th-That’s… 

 

Hayato: Shinto’s cast wouldn’t allow him to make coffee for himself… in fact, I don’t think he’d be able to kill Kenji with one arm either. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} In any case… this coffee machine proves that neither of them could have been at the crime scene!

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Phew… thanks Hayato!

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I got it wrong… again…

 

Poor Kôzuke… he’s really trying his hardest to participate…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You seemed quite adamant to accuse us Kôzuke… and what’s that you said about not having an alibi yourself?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} Wh-What…!?

 

Ouch… talk about no mercy…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} It’s not me man… even though I don’t have an alibi… I would never kill anyone! 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} Especially not… him… 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} And yet… you have no alibi… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Actually, I don’t think that Kôzuke did it… there’s also a way to prove his innocence!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Is that so?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} P-Please show them Hayato…

 

I’m not sure what I’m doing… this is definitely not the optimal tactic but… 

 

Kôzuke: {Shivering} …

 

I can’t see him defenseless like that… it breaks my heart. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} How exactly can you prove Kôzuke’s innocence Hayato? We’re awaiting an answer!

 

It’s something that Kôzuke said back during the investigation… I should bring that up again… 

 

That should prove his innocence!



SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Kôzuke’s account

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: It all revolves around what he told me earlier today… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} As far as this morning goes… since the morning meeting was cancelled I decided to sleep in… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Everything that’s been going on… and that constant fear of death, I was exhausted man!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I just slept… until around 10-ish when somebody’s alarm went off… the walls are pretty thin so it woke me up. 

 

Kôzuke: I am a pretty light sleeper… so that might also explain it…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} That’s pretty much it… I don’t really know anything important regarding the case man… I probably slept through the murder… 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} Sorry for being useless…

 

Hayato: You weren’t useless Kôzuke… you actually just gave me an important piece of information! 

 

Kôzuke: {Thoughtful, strokes chin} I d-did? A-Alright… cool!

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Reijiro: {Glare} How exactly does him being asleep constitute an alibi?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} It’s simple… he heard something… that he couldn’t have heard if he wasn’t really in his room at 10 AM.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Kôzuke’s room neighbours mine… that’s why he heard my alarm. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} An alarm I had set for 10 AM sharp!

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} It was your alarm man?

 

Hayato: I put that alarm in order not to miss my meeting with Kenji… but I ended up leaving before it rang and I forgot to deactivate it… 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} And you didn’t tell anyone about that alarm did you?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} No… I set it up right before going to sleep. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} The fact remains that he heard it! And he wouldn’t have known about it at all if he wasn’t actually in his room!

 

Kozuke: {Objection stance} Wh-Which means I can’t be the killer man!

 

Hikari: {Sad} That… makes sense… I don’t really have anything to counter that argument. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Right… I don’t see how he could have heard that alarm any other way. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I will allow it… the boy really was in his room this morning. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Th-thank you Hayato… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} But… if he’s also innocent then… that only leaves one person… 

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps backpack} N-No! It’s not me!

 

Jessie: {Desperate} I already told you that I was in the evidence locker! I never went to the gallery at all! 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But… you’re the only one without an alibi man… 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} And you were in the Green Building… meaning you would have had no problem slipping out of the room to commit a murder. 

 

Jessie: N-No!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} In fact… isn’t it weird that she didn’t hear that loud noise that Reijiro and Fusume heard? You should have come running out of the room once you’d heard it!

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps backpack} I was focused… I didn’t hear anything!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} I’m uh… sorry Jessie but-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} She is not the culprit. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} R-Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} At least… it would be very simple for her to prove her innocence. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} It… would? 

 

Reijiro: {Points at Hayato} You have figured it out too… haven’t you?

 

A way for Jessie to prove her innocence as well?

 

I need to think of the room she was in… and at what time she was there… 

 

Could it be… this?



SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Monokuma Bulletin

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Jessie was at 10 AM in the evidence locker… that’s precisely the time and place the Monokuma Bulletins should have played!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} If Jessie can tell us what the bulletin contained… and if that information is confirmed by Monokuma… then it would prove that she was in the evidence locker when Kenji was murdered. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I… I can do that! I remember exactly what I saw!

 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Quiet now… no need to spoil some juicy info to these unappreciative fools! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Monokuma?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} If you wanted to be enlightened by the bulletin… you should have been there on time!

 

Jessie: {Sad} But then… how do I prove that I was there…?

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps backpack} You cannot stop me from talking!

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} St-Stop! I’ll allow an exception if you keep quiet!

 

Jessie: An exception?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Jessie Shadow was indeed in the evidence locker at 10 AM. She is the only person who was lucky enough to see today’s edition of the bulletin.

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Happy now?

 

Jessie: All that to stop me from… telling the others what I saw. 

 

That’s definitely odd… why would he stop her from speaking up?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} S-So… Jessie’s also got a pretty solid alibi… that’s a problem… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Tcheh… heh… heh… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} All four of us… we all have an alibi in some shape or form… it looks like none of us could have committed this murder. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} That’s impossible… somebody must be behind it!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Indeed… somebody must. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} *Gulp*

 

I don’t like where this is headed. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I allowed your foolish theory concerning that cape… but it turns out you just wasted our time. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Even if there was a small possibility that somebody other than you committed this crime… that possibility is now gone. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} All five of us have an alibi… alibis which you proved existed!

 

Reijiro: Six of us left… and five of us have alibis. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Only one is left without any sort of argument to defend himself… that same person was found inside the gallery, right next to the victim’s body. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} It took way too long… but we’ve reached once again the conclusion which should have been obvious from the get go. 

 

Reijiro: {Points at Hayato} The killer is you! You are the blackened!

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated}} And there is nothing you can do to change my mind!

 

TO BE CONTINUED

 

Notes:

Looks like all the stalling has come to an end, Hayato will have to face Reijiro's accusations head on… but that's for next time!

As usual, hope you enjoyed this chapter and the start of this penultimate class trial! I certainly enjoy writing it!

I'm curious to hear how you think the trial will unfold so please, leave any theories or comments in the dedicated section!

That's it from me, take care and I'll see you in the next one!

Chapter 60: Chapter 5 : Monokuma Presents "The Greatest Heist" : Class Trial part 2

Notes:

Sorry for the delay on this one… IRL stuff got in the way.

Either way, we're back for part 2 of the trial! Hope you'll enjoy this new update!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

I’m… out of time… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} …

 

Jessie: {Shocked} R-Reijiro-kun… are you sure about this?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} How can there be any doubt about it? He was alone with the victim in a room which none of us could have gotten access to… and even if that was not the case, he is the only student without an alibi. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} It would be foolish to accuse anybody but him. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} When you put it like that… it doesn’t look too good for Hayato I have to agree.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-No… I can’t believe it… 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} U-unless… could he… really… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Hayato… 

 

 

This shouldn’t have happened. 

 

He caught on so quickly. He saw through all the lies. 

 

How can I realistically get out of this one? 

 

 

I never meant to kill anyone. I’m not a killer… I swear I’m not.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laugh} I need to get… that safe open…

 

Hayato: K-Kenji… what are you saying?

 

Kenji: {Pulls out knife, deranged expression} It’s nothing personal… Hayadog. 

 

Hayato: Kenji… no!

 

Kenji: You’re always the one who figures out who did it… and I can’t die in here… so you have to go… so that I can finally escape. 

 

Hayato: Y-You don’t have to do this!

 

Kenji: {Pulls out knife, deranged expression} I do… I… d-do… I DO!!! 

 

Without another word, Kenji lunged at me, knife in hand. 

 

I jumped to my right and barely missed his attack. 

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laugh} Come back here Hayadog… don’t make this harder than it has to be. 

 

Kenji: We’re so close… so close… I’ll… finally… make it out. 

 

Hayato: P-Please… stop… 

 

I found myself slumped against the far wall of the gallery, for the first time since we were here… I feared for my life.

 

I… was about to die… 

 

After everything that we accomplished… the friendships I’d made… the truths I’d learnt… the tasks I’d overcome. 

 

I was going to get murdered… and everything was going to end. 

 

 

Kenji: If you don’t come to me… I’ll come to you!

 

In a split second… my right hand felt something against the wall… Kyia’s bronze trophy… was right there. 

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laugh} I WILL NOT DIE!!!!!!!!

 

He lunged at me a second time… it was like time was going at half speed for just a second. 

 

I was facing death… with my own eyes… but… I refused. 

 

I refused to die… to let things end this way… 

 

I refused… 

 

Without thinking, I grabbed the trophy and…

 

I slammed it on Kenji’s head… as hard as I could.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

I made my choice under pressure… in order to survive, and now I’m going to die despite all that. 

 

I’m going to die… without figuring out what happened to Fusume. 

 

All of this… was for nothing?

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Are you really going to stay quiet? Do you have nothing to say for yourself?

 

What the hell do I do now…? He’s got me cornered.

 

If I confess… they won’t listen to anything else I’ve got to say and Fusume’s death will remain unsolved. 

 

But… if I keep fighting him eventually the truth will come out and the outcome will be the exact same. 

 

How do I make a choice… when there can be no good ending?

 

 

Fuck… fuck…

 

Jessie: {Sad} H-Hayato-kun… please say something…!

 

I need… more time…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Well… silence is consent… so I believe this means-

 

I won’t… give up!

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} Reijiro… this isn’t over!

 

Reijiro: {Clenched fist, frustrated} …

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} H-Hayato! 

 

Hayato: {Determined} You need to give me a chance to defend myself before you make a decision!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You have been given sufficient time! How much longer do you expect us to tolerate this?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} You realise that I probably have a concussion right? It’s normal that I don’t remember everything perfectly!

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} That doesn’t prove anything though does it? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You are the only imaginable suspect. That is a fact. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Also… I’m sorry to say this Hayato but you could be lying in your account of what happened. 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} Not remembering anything is… kinda convenient… 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} I understand why you would think that… but it’s simply not the case. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} You’ll have to be more convincing than that Hayato-kun… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} L-Let me explain it better then… maybe I didn’t express myself well enough. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You and I both know that’s not the problem!

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} J-Just give me a chance!

 

How can I convince them… of something that didn't actually happen…?

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Mmph… listening to him is pointless… and I will show all of you just why…

 

Right… I’ll have to do this the same way I’ve always done it… 

 

I’ll have to find a flaw in their reasoning… and move the debate forwards in that manner. 

 

I will get through this… one way or another!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckx2nvp8L3g&t )

 

{Truth Bullets :  Monokuma File #5, Trophy’s head, Caspian’s Cape, Kenji’s knife, Just lie}

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} You have a way with words… that much has been proven already. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} It should be obvious to everybody here that he is going to try to weasel out of this one by wasting time.

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} I shall not let that happen… your guilt has been established already!

 

Hikari: {Sad} B-But… we’re talking about Hayato… can you really believe that he could have done something so horrible? 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} It shocked me at first… but I got over it pretty quickly. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Sh-Shinto!?

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps backpack} Face it Kôzuke-kun! All the evidence is pointing at Hayato-kun!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Plus… the fact that he doesn’t remember anything doesn’t really help him out 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} G-Guys just… give him a chance!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We have done that already! He had a chance and he let it go!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Now is the time to face the truth… and accept the consequences for one’s actions. 

 

 

It doesn’t look like there’s any reasonable way out of this one… 

 

That only leaves one possible solution… one that I would have prefered not to use.

 

I have no choice…

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Just lie → he doesn’t remember anything

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music : None) 

 

I’m sorry guys… but this is the only way.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} There is something that I do remember… which I haven’t told you guys yet. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} H-Huh!?

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} You have been keeping information from us…? 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} I knew there must have been… something! 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} This is nothing but the behaviour of a guilty man… even if you did suddenly remember some important fact… why would you have kept it from us if you were truly innocent!? 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} My memory of the event is pretty hazy as I already told you… I wasn’t too sure what to do with this piece of information… but you’re leaving me no choice but to speak up. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} If your intentions were legitimate, you would have spoken up from the get go!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Reijiro! Let him speak!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… 

 

Hayato: My attacker… I know who it was…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You mean… the person who made you fall unconscious?

 

Here goes nothing… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU )

 

Hayato: It was Kenji… he’s the one who attacked me. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Kenji-kun!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} The victim… attacked you?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} That’s… that’s… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Let me explain what happened… 

 

{Black and white frame of Kenji approaching Hayato during last night’s meeting} 

 

Hayato: I think we all remember Kenji barging into our meeting in the restaurant yesterday… but most of you probably failed to notice that he whispered something to me before leaving. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: Hey Hayato!

 

I looked up to see that Kenji was now standing just next to me. I hadn’t heard him approach. He leaned in and whispered:

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} Meet me at the gallery tomorrow… 10 AM. Be on time… 

 

Hayato: Why!?

 

Kenji: You’ll understand soon enough.

 

And just like that he walked off… leaving me confused as ever. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: I wasn’t sure what he wanted… but I went there… it could have been important… it could have been more than a simple trap!

 

{Black and white frame of Kenji cornering Hayato in the gallery} 

 

Hayato: But I was wrong… it was just that, a trap. 

 

Hayato: He told me something about needing to open the safe before he went crazy and he hit me on the back of the head as I tried to escape. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} That’s all I remember… and I’m afraid I can’t tell you what happened in the time during which I was unconscious… 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} The victim… attacked you… and you’re only telling us this now!? 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} But… why would Kenji do such a thing!?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I think… he called me in there to kill me… I can’t think of any other explanation. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} That’s why… he wanted to meet with you…?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Kenji… wasn’t so innocent after all. 

 

I’m stretching the truth here… but I’m not completely lying either. 

 

This is the only way I’ve got in order to gain some time… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} The victim… was the original attacker? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I will not buy it. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Reijiro!?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Not only is it suspicious that you withheld such information from us… your testimony is much too convenient for me to believe a word of it. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Passing blame onto the victim who cannot defend themselves… it is not a very original tactic… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Your actions are those of a guilty man… and as long as you cannot prove that what you say is true… 

 

Reijiro: You will not change my opinion on this matter!

 

As expected… it’s not enough to convince him… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} … 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} … 

 

I think it did buy me some time with the others though… 

 

Knowing how Kenji was acting up to today… my story makes a lot of sense… it’s basically what happened after all.

 

Minus the “I killed him” part… but we don’t have to get into that right now. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I understand why you might not believe him Reijiro… but if Kenji really did assault him… that would make it pretty hard for Hayato to be the killer, wouldn’t you say? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Perhaps… but he has proven no such thing… therefore the situation has not changed. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Then… a-all we need to do is to prove that Kenji really did beat up Hayato right?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I’d like to see you try. 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} E-Eep!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Figuring out what’s what will be crucial here… we should discuss it further. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} That’s right… if Kenji-kun really knocked out Hayato-kun… that does change my vision on what happened… de manière drastique…

 

Perfect… more discussion. That’s what I wanted. 

 

I’m hanging by a thread here… if I want this trial to continue for me I need to prove that somebody other than me could be the killer… It’s probably the only way to make Reijiro change his mind. 

 

There’s no room for mistakes… let’s just get to it. 

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t )

 

{Truth Bullets : Caspian’s cape, Monokuma File #5, Kenji’s knife, State of the Gallery, Blood on Kenji’s hand}

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} The victim assaulted you huh? A likely story…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} However… it makes no sense regarding the timeline that we are familiar with. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} The… timeline?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} If the victim wanted to commit murder… they could have done so easily!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Why would he hit you… but let you live?

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Furthermore… if you were really knocked unconscious by him… then who could have killed him after that?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} There is no evidence that a third party was involved … 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} And even if there was… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Everybody still has an alibi!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} That’s… fair…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Even if Kenji really did hit Hayato… it’s hard to imagine that somebody else could have killed him after that…

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} If I may… shouldn’t Hayato-kun be injured ? Considering how strong Kenji-kun was, I mean. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Th-The fact there’s no wound doesn’t prove that he wasn’t hit man! S-Some people just have tough skin.  

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} And you think that Hayato’s really a prime example of that?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Way to hit a man while he’s down… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Combining all those factors… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} It is very clear to me that this is nothing but the desperate attempt of murderer to save their own life!

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} The victim never attacked you … and that is the truth! 

 

 

He just won’t let me get a break will he? Not that I can blame him… at the end of the day he’s doing the right thing… and he’s not wrong in accusing me…

 

Still… I can’t let him win… there must be some way to disprove those things he said… 

 

I need to take another look at the evidence… and I’ll find something!

===

 

 

 

SOLUTION : Caspian’s cape → no evidence that a third party was involved

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Yes that’s it!

 

W-Wait… that’s it?

 

But… hold on a second. 

 

This isn’t me making stuff up to stall, this is… a real contradiction… 

 

How… does this make any sense at all? 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} What is it Hayato? You look… pale.

 

What could I have gotten wrong…? I was there… I killed him… no one should have interfered… 

 

So how does this piece of evidence make any sense?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Hayato!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} S-Sorry!

 

I don’t have time to try to comprehend it… I must use this discrepency to my advantage… 

 

Let’s see what Reijiro has to say about this one!

 

Hayato: {Determined} The proof that somebody other than me had to be involved in the case… of course I have it!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You are merely bluffing… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} We’ll see about that!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} …

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Before I get to my point… let me confirm something with you all. 

 

Hayato: There is something… a fact that I think we can all agree with, that might help you see where I’m going with this. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Oh, and pray tell what this “fact” of yours is. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The easiest way for me to show you… is through a piece of evidence… namely, this!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: State of the Gallery

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

That’s right… the state the gallery was in when they found us cannot be contested… that should be my angle. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} You see… I may not be able to prove that I was hit in the back of the head… but when you found me in the gallery, I was unconscious wasn’t I?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Definitely looked like it. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} It’s not that it simply looked like it… the way his body was limp when Fusume carried him away from the crime scene… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato was most definitely not conscious when we found the body!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I will not dispute that… however there are many ways to lose consciousness… many of them do not involve foul play from the victim. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} That’s not the point Reijiro… you see, the body blocked the door, that’s a crucial aspect of this case. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} That means that once Kenji was killed, I could not have opened the door… I was effectively locked inside the gallery. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} That is not necessarily the case… the body could have been dragged to the door after his death. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But if that was the case, wouldn’t we have seen some marks that indicate such draggin in the blood? 

 

Jessie: {Bites nail, thoughtful expression} If Hayato had dragged Kenji’s body from where he really died to right in front of the door… there would be some sort of a dragging pattern on the floor!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} That’s right! There’s nothing at the crime scene that should lead us to believe that the body was moved. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Fair enough… but what does that change?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} You are arguing that nobody could have left the gallery after the victim’s death… doesn’t that prove that you are the only possible killer?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} No… it proves that somebody ther than myself definitely 

was involved!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} … 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Please remember Caspian’s cape… we have already talked about it earlier on during the trial.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: Kenji would have been positioned in a way that wouldn’t block the door. The killer could simply leave like that. 

 

Shinto: Then what?

 

Hayato: If the blackened had left a small piece of the cape protruding from under the door… then their trick was in place!

 

Hayato: All they would have to do now was to pull on the cape!

 

{The cape is dragged under the door and into the grey figure’s hands, Kenji’s body has slided into position} 

 

Hayato: Once they’d gotten the cape back, they would have pulled Kenji right in front of the door, blocking the door!

 

Hayato: The only risk they took… was that the cape might rip because of Kenji’s weight… and it did!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: Kenji carried that cape around… until his death.

 

Hayato: And yet it was found in a trashcan outside the gallery… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} A place I could never have put it in because I was locked in the gallery, like you said!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Th-That’s…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The killer could exit the room using the trick which I described earlier on… and then they threw the cape in the trash like I said before!

 

Hayato: {Determined} There was absolutely no way for me to have access to that trashcan!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} And to be fair… I had no real reason to do so… except taking the risk of getting spotted coming out of a crime scene!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Of course you had a reason to act this way!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} R-Reijiro-kun?


Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} This is the reason… by throwing this cape away you’d create a way for you to argue your way out of it… this was all calculated wasn’t it?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} You think I’d do something like that…?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Mhm… even if I would, the fact remains that it would have been impossible for me to put it there… the body would not allow me to go out!

 

I’m still not sure how to explain this… 

 

I know I definitely didn’t put the cape there… and I’m almost 100% sure that Kenji still had it on him when we met this morning… 

 

So… how did it get in the trash?

 

If you add this to the few items that vanished from the crime scene… it’s starting to look weirder and weirder.

 

I… I have a bad feeling about this… I don’t think I’m going to like what I end up finding out… 

 

Still… at least it’s given me some time with Reijiro… I’d like to see him explain this to everyone-

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoh-Z_TS_xE)

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… how foolish.

 

What. 

 

Reijiro: {Amused} You really speak without thinking… and you think that your bravado will suffice to convince us… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} But this… will not work today. 

 

Oh boy. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} R-Reijiro… what are you talking about? 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Do you have a counter-argument to what Hayato-kun just said?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I-I thought it was pretty convincing man… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… sadly, that story does not hold any weight once you stop to think about it. 

 

Hayato: Go on… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} It is rather simple… you claim that you cannot have taken the cape from the victim and thrown it into the bin… 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} If you look at it this way then yes… it does seem impossible for you to have done that… but that is simply because you are presenting incorrect information. 

 

Incorrect… information?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} If things happened in the order you gave us… even if the victim had not assaulted you, you would have had to kill him, take the cape from his dead body and exit the gallery in order to throw it out.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} In that regard, I have no choice but to agree that such a feat would be close to impossible. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} But that just is not how it happened is it?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Then… how?

 

He’s seriously found a way for me to have done it? But how-

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} You simply threw the cape away before killing him. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} B-Before!?

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Th-That’s… 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} But… how could he have possibly gotten the cape off of Kenji? I don’t think he would have given it away just like that… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} That is true… but then again we have no idea what happened in the gallery this morning… perhaps a deal was made between the victim and the culprit… perhaps he simply let go of the cape for an unknown reason… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} That really does not matter… as long as the possibility exists, you remain the only plausible killer!

 

F-Fuck… he’s turned it around on me once again… 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Working by elimination is the supreme logical choice… and it has designated you as the only one without any sort of alibi. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Hikari and myself were together… so were Fusume and Reijiro. Finally, Kôzuke and Jessie were both proven to have been in other rooms at the time of the crime. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} That only leaves Hayato-kun… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} B-But… but…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} The could have been placed in the trashcan before the murder happened… or it may as well have been fabricated. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} This does not exonerate you in the slightest… 

 

Reijiro: Furthermore, not only were you locked at the murder scene with the victim, but everybody’s alibi is airtight!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} W-Wait… is Reijiro’s alibi really that airtight?

 

Reijiro: {Clenched fist, frustrated} I beg your pardon? 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} S-Sorry but… your alibi is only relying on Fusume’s word… isn’t it? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Have we not already had this discussion? 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} She had no reason to cover for me… if she had lived then she would have been putting her own life in danger by claiming that we were together. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Her word… really does constitute an alibi for me. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Th-Then… what if it was the other way around!?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} The other way around!?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} There’s no way that her death and Kenji’s are unrelated right…? That would make no sense at all!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} It would be a weird coincidence… but you cannot prove that both murders are connected can you?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Maybe not but… what if… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} What if Fusume had killed Kenji!?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} F-Fusume-chan?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} …

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What are you talking about!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Doesn’t it make sense!? She could have murdered him… and then killed herself out of guilt!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} She w-would never!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I also find it hard to believe but… it would explain how both deaths could fit together… and it would also-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Why would I lie about it?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} H-Huh?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} What I said regarding my guilt also applies the other way around… 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} I was with her when we found the body… a body which was very much dead might I add. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I told you that… back when the trial started. 

 

Reijiro: But if she really was the killer… why in god’s name would I lie about that!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Covering for her would get me executed along with the rest of you… with no survivors remaining!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Do you really think that’s what I want? 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} W-Well… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Her being the killer makes as much sense as me… which means very little sense at all. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I will say it one last time so keep your ears peeled… we were together until the body’s discovery… and we found him dead… together.

 

Reijiro: {Rubs eye, sad expression} I can guarantee that she is innocent… and she did the same for me. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Our guilt was never a possibility… and I cannot believe that I must repeat this… but that only leaves one plausible blackened. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} There is only one person who does not have an alibi… only one person who was found next to the body… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} All of your half-assed attempts at defending yourself will not change that fact… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You were invited to meet the victim in the gallery… and once there with him you bludgeoned him to death using a trophy. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} We found you unconscious… perhaps it was out of shock… perhaps you simply knocked yourself out to create a line of defense for yourself. 

 

Reijiro: {Points at Hayato} You are the culprit… you are the blackened in this case!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Hnnnnnngh…!

 

 

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )

 

Hikari: {Distressed} H-Hayato… please… say something… 

 

I… lost?

 

How… could I have lost? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} …

 

This guy… beat me…

 

I thought I was ready for this particular trial… but it seems like I was wrong. 

 

I didn’t manage to keep the truth hidden. 

 

Looks like writing about murders didn’t teach me how to get away with one.

 

I could keep on lying… try to grasp onto some semblance of hope for a little while longer… but is that really worth it?

 

The others have got me under some serious pressure… if they think I’m lying then everything’s lost. 

 

I won’t get a chance to figure out who killed Fusume if I lose their trust right now… 

 

What am I saying… I’ve lost their trust already haven’t I?

 

Shinto: {Sad, points at cast} …

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} …

 

Hikari: {Desperate} There’s no way…

 

It’s too late… I can’t deny it any longer. 

 

My goal was to get them to trust me in order to find out who killed Fusume… but that plan’s out the window considering that we’ve start with Kenji’s murder. 

 

I was found out so quickly… Reijiro didn’t even give me a chance. 

 

So now… I have no choice but to give up.

 

Give up on my chance to get justice for Fusume… and incidentally… give up on my life. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato!

 

Hayato: Y-Yes?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Before you leave… there’s one thing you need to keep in mind… something you cannot forget.

 

Hayato: What is it…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You need… to stay alive!

 

Hayato: H-Huh?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} You cannot die in here… you hear me? 

 

Hayato: Why are you telling me this!?

 

Fusume: {Confident} It doesn’t matter why you hear me! Just… promise you’re going to fight for your life.

 

Does she… know?

 

Hayato: I… don’t understand Fusume…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It doesn’t matter if you understand or not… just promise me!

 

Hayato: I… promise. 

 

Fusume: {Genuine smile} Good… that’s all I had to say. Now, go! Make good use of the little time that we’ve got left!

 

She turned her back to me and went back to the body.

 

{Flashback} 

 

What the hell did she mean when she said that…? 

 

And more importantly… does this mean that I’m breaking that promise by admitting defeat?

 

What do I do in this scenario? 

 

I swore to Fusume that I’d fight to stay alive… and I also swore to myself I'd find out who killed her. 

 

But… that’s just not possible 

 

I’ve lost… 

 

There’s nothing I can do… 

 

 

F-Fuck… my life isn’t what matters now… I knew that I was doomed from the start… 

 

I need to save the others… that’s what I came here to do. Make sure the others survive even if I die. 

 

That’s what I should have focused on from the get go. 

 

I’ve acted selfishly. 

 

I’m sorry Fusume… but this is the choice that I will make!

 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I… killed him. I killed Kenji. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} N-No…!

 

Kôzuke: {Hide head in helmet} Y-You can’t be serious man!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} So it really was you… 

 

Reijiro: {Glares} … 

 

Hayato: I’m sorry I kept it from you guys… I… I’ll be 100% honest with you from now on. 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} There’s no point in me lying any longer… 

 

Jessie: {Slams fist on podium} Y-You’re… a murderer Hayato-kun!!!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} You think we’re just going to listen to what you have to say now?

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} W-Wait… just let me explain myself. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I think you’ve done a whole lot of explaining today… probably a bit too much for my liking. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} You won’t get away with what you’ve done!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I’m not expecting to get away with anything… I’ve admitted to being the blackened… I’m about to get executed… that much is certain. 

 

Hayato: But… I think I deserve to at least explain to you what happened… so you understand. 

 

Jessie: {Slams fist on podium} I… d-don’t want your motivations! 

 

Jessie: {Sad} You killed Kenji-kun… you… murdered one of our classmates. 

 

Jessie: I really didn’t want to believe it… vraiment pas … but you’ve admitted it now… 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} I can’t even look at you Hayato-kun. 

 

Shinto: {Bends forwards, finger pointing} It hurts to see your friend turn into a murderer… I didn’t think you’d do something like that Hayato. 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} That’s the point I’m trying to make! If you let me explain what happened then maybe you’ll understand… 

 

Kôzuke: {Crying} Man… why… why him… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I won’t… believe it…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I don’t think that anything you’d say would make me “understand”.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Let him speak. 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} R-Reijiro!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} You want to hear him out? You of all people?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Let us just say that I am curious of the reason behind this murder… I believe that we will not reach the full truth until we understand every aspect of the case. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} F-Fine… I’ll listen… but… that won’t change what I think of you Hayato-kun. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I get that… but trust me… I never intended for any of this to happen!

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Hands on hips} You see… I’ve almost figured it all out… as I said yesterday night… 

 

Kenji: {Raised eyebrow} But… I’m still missing something… I can’t quite figure out who we are exactly… what our big sin was. 

 

Kenji: You haven’t realised… but I’ve worked more than all of you combined on this… 

 

Kenji: I’ve spent so long trying to understand… and I’m so close… to finally achieving something

 

Kenji: {Crazed, ruffles hair} I… can’t go a second longer… without knowing…

 

Hayato: Okay… and what do I have to do with this?

 

Kenji: {Stands up straight, serious expression} Oh… Hayato… you’re here for a simple reason… there’s only one way for me to finally understand…

 

Kenji: {Looks to the floor} One way to finally be at peace with everything… 

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laugh} I need to get… that safe open…

 

Hayato: K-Kenji… what are you saying?

 

Kenji: {Pulls out knife, deranged expression} It’s nothing personal… Hayadog. 

 

Hayato: Kenji… no!

 

Kenji: You’re always the one who figures out who did it… and I can’t die in here… so you have to go… so that I can finally escape. 

 

Hayato: Y-You don’t have to do this!

 

Kenji: {Pulls out knife, deranged expression} I do… I… d-do… I DO!!! 

 

Without another word, Kenji lunged at me, knife in hand. 

 

I jumped to my right and barely missed his attack. 

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laugh} Come back here Hayadog… don’t make this harder than it has to be. 

 

Kenji: We’re so close… so close… I’ll… finally… make it out. 

 

Hayato: P-Please… stop… 

 

I found myself slumped against the far wall of the gallery, for the first time since we were here… I feared for my life.

 

I… was about to die… 

 

After everything that we accomplished… the friendships I’d made… the truths I’d learnt… the tasks I’d overcome. 

 

I was going to get murdered… and everything was going to end. 

 

 

Kenji: If you don’t come to me… I’ll come to you!

 

In a split second… my right hand felt something against the wall… Kyia’s bronze trophy… was right there. 

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laugh} I WILL NOT DIE!!!!!!!!

 

He lunged at me a second time… it was like time was going at half speed for just a second. 

 

I was facing death… with my own eyes… but… I refused. 

 

I refused to die… to let things end this way… 

 

I refused… 

 

Without thinking, I grabbed the trophy and…

 

I slammed it on Kenji’s head… as hard as I could.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: He was already gone… we’d lost him to the craziness of this place… 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I know that self-defense doesn’t mean anything in the killing game… but trust me when I say that if I hadn’t hit him… I wouldn’t be here today. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} He… probably would have killed you man.

 

Hayato: He definitely would have killed me. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} He was going to murder you… just so he could access those files?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} The files we still haven’t gotten to see… despite what we were promised. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Consequences. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane accusatory} What the hell does that mean?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Just… consequences!

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Either way… after hitting him I passed out from the adrenaline… I really was unconscious that much wasn’t acting!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes, I could have told you so. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} B-But… why did you lie to us all this time? 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} I was debating telling you the truth… and accepting my fate. 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} Fusume’s death changed that. 

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} F-Fusume. 

 

Hayato: I had nothing to do with her death… which means that a second blackened is around… I wanted to find out who had done this to her… before my own execution. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I see… you wanted to stay alive long enough to solve the case for yourself… 

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} And you wanted us to trust you so you could lead the trial like you always do. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} That’s it… I failed in doing that… but this was my goal. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Your goal… doesn’t… matter… you killed him… that’s… the important part. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} I’m sorry… I wish it wasn’t so. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} It’s a bit too late for apologies I’d say. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I understand why you did it man… I just wish you hadn’t lied to us… we wouldn’t have lost so much time getting to this point. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Maybe if you had listened to me… things would be different. 

 

God do I know that feeling. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Hayato… is there anything else?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I don’t think I’ve got anything else to say… sincerely… I am sorry guys. 

 

Hayato: If only-

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy0JuVXTcUw )

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Let me stop you right there champ!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} M-Monokuma? 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} That’s right! It’s your main man coming at you with an exclusive deal!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} You… what are you doing?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Trust me… this is a good one. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} You have a deal for us? 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What sort of deal could he be offering-

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} It’s simple… to make it out of this trial you’ll need to figure out all of the surviving blackened’s identity… that means that if you’re dealing with two seperate killers you’ll need to get both of them executed!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} We know that already!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Just a little refresher… the interesting part is what’s coming next. 

 

I’ve got a bad feeling about this… 

 

Monokuma: You think you caught one of the blackened, right? 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} W-Well… he did just confess so…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} If that’s the case… then why not execute him right now!?

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Wh-What!?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} E-Execute him now? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You…

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Think about it! You’d be getting rid of one of the bad guys early on! 

 

Monokuma: That means less distraction when it comes to the second murder… right?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} That does seem beneficial for us… but then why are you suggesting it?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Oh you know me… I’m just here to help move the trial along when it’s getting boring!

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Boring…?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Such an intriguing… proposal…

 

F-Fuck… this is going way too fast!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} G-Guys, wait a second! You can’t kill me just yet!

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Why not? You’ve admitted to murdering Kenji… and you said that your fate was sealed regardless… 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium} Why not… go through with it now? 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Sh-Shinto! You can’t be suggesting…

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I’m sorry… but I have to agree with Monokuma… getting a first execution out of the way now would definitely make it easier for us moving forwards… in my opinion at least. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} I disagree man! H-Hayato’s got nothing to lose! He could help us figure out who killed Fusume!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I’m sorry but… we kinda need his help… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} He could help us… just like he could mislead us… as you said, he has nothing to lose. 

 

Hayato: Shinto… you know I wouldn’t-

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I’m sorry Hayato… I really am… this breaks my heart…

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} But this is a liability I don’t think we can afford to accept. 

 

Shinto: Executing him now… is just the lesser of two evils. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} N-No… that can’t be the optimal solution… we… can’t just execute Hayato. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} We can’t…

 

Hikari: {Desperate} We can’t do it! P-Please don’t do it!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} He killed someone Hikari… it’s just a matter of time before he gets executed… this is just a question of timing. It’ll be just as hard to accept later on. 

 

Hikari: {Desperate} N-No! No…! NO!!!!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} If this is just about timing… then please… I don’t want to die before getting justice for Fusume. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We will get justice for her… without your help. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} R-Reijiro!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Getting the execution out of the way now… is the alleviation which we so desperately need. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Not only has he murdered a classmate… he has also lied about it… repeatedly.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I am afraid the words of this man can no longer be trusted… which means we have no use for him in the class trial. 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} R-Reijiro! You can’t be serious… you know me, you know what I stand for-

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I cannot say that I know anything… it looks like your true colours have been brought to light today… in this courtroom. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I told you why I did what I did… this isn’t what I wanted. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Maybe so… but that doesn’t change the fact that murder is punished by death… you will get killed no matter what. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Th-This is madness… we cannot kill him… we need him… we need Hayato d-dammit! 

 

Hikari: {Desperate} Jessie! Back me up on this! 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} I… I…

 

Jessie: {Slams fist on podium} I say… we get rid of him now… 

 

Hayato: WH-WHAT!?

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} 모두… 살인자… 누구도 믿을 수 없다…

 

Jessie: {Sad} I cannot… trust a murderer… pardonnez moi… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} C-C’mon guys… just wait a second. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} My mind is made up. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} This is the only intelligent choice… we must execute him now. 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} Just… wait…

 

Monokuma… that son of a bitch…

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} 

 

I can’t die… not before I understand everything that happened today…

 

I won’t accept it… there’s no way… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} …

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} 

 

Reijiro: {Glares} …

 

I’ve fought death once today… looks like I’ll have to do it once more. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Heh heh heh… looks like my special offer’s got you all split up… 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} This is an important decision after all… I’d like it to be close to unanimous. 

 

Kurozo: Did you say… split up… does that mean?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} You heard me right… there’s only one way to sort this type of disagreement in this killing game…

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} It’s time for an extra special scrum debate!

 

Monokuma: {Excited} The stake… Hayato’s life… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} …

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} …

 

Hayato: {Determined} …

 

I… cannot fail… not now… 

 

I need to fight… one last time. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} May the best side… win!

 

TO BE CONTINUED

 

Notes:

This update's a tad shorter than my usual length but this felt like the right time to cut it off.
Next time on DR : AD, shit gets undoubtedly real as we get closer and closer to the truth about this sordid accident. This is optimal time for predictions so if you've got any, don't hesitate to post them in the comments or in the dedicated discord channel!

This is most likely the last update of the year… so I wish you all happy holidays and I'll see you in 2021! (Hopefully back on schedule)

Thanks for reading and for sticking with me for almost 3 years… time flies.

I'll see you in the next one ;)

Chapter 61: Chapter 5 : Monokuma Presents "The Greatest Heist" : Class Trial part 3

Notes:

Happy new year!

And to celebrate, we're back! The class trial continues and we finally get to the accusation you have all been waiting for!

Enjoy ;)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

(Music:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUvQ5RlFV6A )

 

{Scrum Debate : Start}

 

We should execute Hayato now

 

Reijiro: …

 

Shinto: …

 

Jessie: …

 

Shinto: …

 

Jessie: …

 

Reijiro: … 

 

We should wait  

 

Hayato: POINT

 

Hikari: EXECUTION

 

Kôzuke: DISCUSS

 

Hayato: NOW

 

Kôzuke: KENJI

 

Hikari: CULPRIT

 

 

Reijiro: You have wasted enough of our time… but now there is absolutely nothing left to discuss regarding this first murder!

 

Shinto: Right… and I mean… we’ve already figured out who the culprit is… I think we should simply get this over with already.

 

Jessie: I’m sorry Hayato-kun… but if you will die whatever we chose then what is the point of delaying the inevitable?

 

Shinto: It’s gonna be tough to see more than one execution today… spacing them out is the least we can do. 

 

Jessie: And… think of Kenji-kun in all of this… doesn’t he deserve some justice?

 

Reijiro: There is only one logical way to end this whole affair… and that is with commencing the execution… now! 

 

{Scrum Debate : Ends} 

 

 

 

 

Answer : 

 

Reijiro: DISCUSS

 

Shinto: CULPRIT

 

Jessie: POINT

 

Shinto: EXECUTION

 

Jessie: KENJI

 

Reijiro: NOW

 

===

 

Reijiro: You have wasted enough of our time… but now there is absolutely nothing left to discuss regarding this first murder!

 

Kôzuke: Nobody said that we should discuss it further man… we’re only talking about the execution here!




Shinto: Right… and I mean… we’ve already figured out who the culprit is… I think we should simply get this over with already.

 

Hikari: Hayato might be the culprit in Kenji’s murder… but he can still help us find who killed Fusume… there’s no way he’s guilty of that one!




Jessie: I’m sorry Hayato-kun… but if you will die whatever we chose then what is the point of delaying the inevitable?

 

Hayato: The point is that I want to find Fusume’s murderer… and it would be beneficial to all of you if I was here to help!




Shinto: It’s gonna be tough to see more than one execution today… spacing them out is the least we can do. 

 

Hikari: The execution of our friend will be hard regardless… and there is no real benefit in killing him now!




Jessie: And… think of Kenji-kun in all of this… doesn’t he deserve some justice?

 

Kôzuke: Kenji wasn’t himself lately… but the real Kenji would want us all to live through the trial… and we need Hayato’s help to do that!




Reijiro: There is only one logical way to end this whole affair… and that is with commencing the execution… now

 

Hayato: Whether you accept it or not… executing me now will only make things harder for you guys!

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Was I… too brash?

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} I… just don’t know what’s right anymore… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I’ll say it again… I don’t expect any of you to forgive me for what I did… this isn’t what I’m asking. 

 

Hayato: But if I’m going to get executed, I want to die at peace with myself… and for that to be possible…

 

Hayato: {Determined} I need to understand how Fusume died!

 

Hayato: {Bitter} That’s all I ask of you… give me a chance to figure out what happened… 

 

Hayato: You won’t regret it… I promise. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I guess… having Hayato around really will make the rest of the trial much easier. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} W-We… need his help man… that’s the truth of it. 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} This doesn’t mean… that I forgive you… but… I’ll accept it… for Fusume-chan’s sake. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Thank you guys… thank you for understanding. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I still believe this to be a mistake… a blackened should not be trusted… when our lives are on the line. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} B-But Reijiro-

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} However… considering that the majority seems to be in agreement… I will not raise any further objections on this matter… 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Death will come to you… regardless… 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Th-Thank you…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Know this… I will have my eye on you

 

Reijiro: {Points at Hayato} You have already taken a life away today… I will not allow you to lead us in the wrong direction. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I see… getting you all executed isn’t my intention… but I can understand your concern.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} S-So… we’re all in agreement then? Hayato can live for the time being. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} As I said… I shall not object any further on this matter. 

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} You’ve convinced me. I now see the interest in delaying the execution 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Wh-What he said… 

 

Jessie: Y-You… still killed Kenji-kun. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Let us not forget that it was self-defense… still, I suppose it doesn’t make much of a difference in this place. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} W-We… can discuss the ethical questions later… for now, we will not execute Hayato just yet. 

 

Monokuma: {Disappointed} Aw… you guys are such party poopers. I was getting ready for a nice intermixecution!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} It’s a portmanteau of intermission and execution you see.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} That is quite enough from you… let us get back on topic. 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} H-Hey! That’s not very respectful is it!?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Let’s just… ignore him for now. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} I can hear you y’know!!

 

 

 



(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 )

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} S-So… I guess we can begin talking about Fusume’s murder then… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes… we must. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Solving this murder… shall be no easy feat

 

Reijiro: {Glare} But we have no choice… other than success. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} W-We’ve made it through some pretty complex trials Reijiro-kun… what makes this case so different?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I think the main problem is… the scene of the crime. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} The… scene? You mean like… that vault? 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Precisely… the body was found in an impossible location. 

 

Jessie: {Scared} I-Impossible? 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Please remember what we have been told regarding the vault’s functionalities. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: Check out this beauty once more… 100% titanium… absolutely unbreachable! 

 

Monokuma: There’s only one key… and I’ve got it right here with me!

 

Monokuma: One thing’s for sure… and that’s that nobody’s opening this baby without my approval!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Okay… you haven’t told us one thing though… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Wh-Why would we want to open this vault?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Y-Yeah, who cares if it's impenetrable man! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Oh but… you care! That’s the beauty of this motive!

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What are you talking about?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What are… the contents of that vault?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Simple… inside the safe… you’ll find all the information you want about your missing memories! 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Monokuma was quite adamant to the fact that only he possessed the key to open the vault… which should have made it impossible for any one of us to put the body inside it. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Th-There is a way-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} This was not a call for you two idiots to start bickering again. Clearly neither of you will admit to having collaborated with the blackened… which means we will have to figure out how the body found its way into the vault without your help. 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Yes… that is probably wiser. 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} I’ll get you to admit it Kurozo… eventually. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Si j’ai bien compris… we need to find a way for Fusume-chan’s killer to have entered the vault… even though it was hermetically sealed. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} That seems pretty impossible to me.

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Hey… when has something being impossible stopped us… I’m sure we’ll find something if we put our mind to it. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Sh-Shinto? Are you feeling alright?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Do you prefer it when I’m gloomy? I’m just trying to be encouraging for once. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} N-No… thank you Shinto-kun… I appreciate it. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… let’s not waste any more time. 

 

This is it… the reason I’m still here. 

 

To understand Fusume’s murder… we need to understand how her body ended up inside the vault. 

 

It seems impossible… but I know there must be some explanation… 

 

I need to take another careful look at the evidence and figure something out… quickly. 

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckx2nvp8L3g&t

 

{Truth Bullets : Monokuma Safe Report, Fusume’s injuries, Monokuma File #5, Vault Room’s crane, Kurozo’s account}

 

Kôzuke: {Worried Let’s not complicate this too much man… my head already hurts. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Either the culprit entered through the door … 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Or there’s some other secret entrance we don’t know about!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} A secret entrance… that wouldn’t surprise me too much… we’ve had plenty of those in past trials. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I believe that it is fair to say that we cannot count on the main door having been used.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} That much would clearly be impossible… unless one of the mascots was involved

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} We have their word that they did not assist the blackened… don’t we?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Since when does their word have any sort of value? 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I guess… we can’t know for sure whether the door was opened or not then…  

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} And as far as secret entrances go… we have no piece of evidence that supports such a claim. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} But… if they didn’t go in through the door and they didn’t use a secret passage then… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} How exactly did they do it man!?

 

 

Kôzuke’s right… it must be either one or the other. The question is… which way was it?

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Monokuma Safe report → we can’t know for sure whether the door was opened or not

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}



(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 )

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Actually… there is a definite way to prove that the door was in fact not used by the killer… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Is there really?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} This comes from Monokuma so take it with a grain of salt-

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} H-Hey! What does that mean?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I’ll just ignore that interjection and move on…

 

Hayato: As I was saying, Monokuma provided me with a report during the investigation. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: Tell me more about the vault. Was it really as impenetrable as you claim?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Of course it was! Where’s this question coming from!? 

 

Hayato: I just want to get an idea of how the body could have ended up in the vault.

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Beats me… the only way I know of is by using the key… and nobody could have used it since I held it until I gave it to Kurozo.

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Either Kurozo gave it to a student… or there’s some sort of alternate way to get inside the safe that I don’t know of!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} He built the vault… so he’s the one who should know what’s up!

 

Hayato: Sure… but you can guarantee that entering through the main door wasn’t possible.

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} 100% Take this report as proof!

 

He handed me a piece of paper.

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} This report proves that the door wasn’t opened at all until this morning!

 

Hayato: How does this prove anything?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} I have my ways of knowing… just take my word on this!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} You have no other choice but to trust me upupupupu… how exciting!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} This report supposedly proves that the door hasn’t been breached at all today.

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Indeed it does. Let me take the explanation from here. 

 

{Monokuma stands in front of a smartboard with an academic cap and a laser pointer}

 

Monokuma: This report was provided by yours truly and shows two things very clearly. 

 

Monokuma: Firstly, the ultra high-tech device that has been implemented in the lock itself confirms that the key was not inserted in the lock at all in the past day. 

 

Monokuma: Moreover, a closer study of the vault shows that there were no signs of forced entry of any kind on the door. 

 

Monokuma: Even if you’d try to force your way in you wouldn’t manage… when we say that the vault is unbreachable… we mean it. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} That was… unnecessarily theatrical… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} And yet the information he just gave us has to be considered important… if he is to be trusted. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Come on…! Why would I make this up now!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} To make the game more interesting…?


Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} The same reason… why you murdered… 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Your logic very much stands Shinto… however I have to second Monokuma on this particular matter. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… go on. 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} As you may recall… I myself constructed this vault in preparation for this motive… and I hope you will take my word when I say that Monokuma’s report is accurate. 

 

Kurozo: It truly is impenetrable without a key… and the key definitely was not used today. 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} I guarantee that he’s telling the truth! 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Yet… Kurozo really isn’t that trustworthy either is he?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… what bugs me is that we have clearly seen that the mascots have been in disagreement regarding the vault ever since we discovered the body… 

 

Reijiro: That would lead me to think that they would not both lie about this topic. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Unless… this whole disagreement is an act they’re pulling with that exact purpose in mind. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Looking at them now… I sincerely cannot believe that they are arguing in jest. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} … 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forwards} …

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Despite that… you are correct in saying that we cannot know with absolute certainty what the truth is… all we have is their word for it.  

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Unless… there is a way to know for sure. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Kôzuke-kun? 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Could you be talking about…

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Let’s use the Ultimate Truth man… we need to get out of this dead end!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mmph… 

 

Using the Ultimate Truth now…? Is that really a good idea?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I think that Kôzuke might be right… we’ve held on to the Ultimate Truth until now and I can’t think of a better way to use it. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} If you think about it, we’ll never truly understand how the vault really works by ourselves… we don’t have enough evidence for that. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} That’s the sort of thing we should use the Ultimate Truth for… knowledge which is completely out of our grasp. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… yes, I suppose you raise a good point. 

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} Kids… are you sure you want to do that? 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} What’s your problem with it? 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Me? Oh no… no problem at all… 

 

Monokuma: Just thinking that maybe you want to keep the Ultimate Truth for something more… substantial. 

 

The way he’s acting… is extremely suspicious now. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Nonsense… you are clearly hiding something!

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} N-No, I’m not!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hey… if the bear’s against it then I’m all for using it now!

 

Monokuma: H-Hold on a second!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… how intriguing… 

 

Monokuma doesn’t want us to use the Ultimate Truth for this particular question? 

 

That’s very odd… and in a way, I agree with Jessie. All it’s doing is making me want to use it even more. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Something is up… clearly, and I agree with Kôzuke and Hikari’s logic. I can’t think of anything better to use our Ultimate Truth on… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} D-Don’t do it…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Any objections here? 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Not from me. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Let’s do it man. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} … 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} … 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Very well, Monokuma we would like to use our Ultimate Truth. 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Y-You… 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Go on then… ask your question. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} The question is… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} How did the Killer enter the vault?

 

Monokuma {Shocked} Hnngh… 

 

… 

 

 

… 

 

We waited patiently as Monokuma got more and more pale… 

 

Can plushies get pale? That’s not the questions right now is it?

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} … 

 

… 

 

… 

 

… 

 

Jessie {Sceptical} Uh… is it me or is this taking a bit too long.

 

Monokuma {Red eye glowing} … 

 

Shinto {Points with cane, accusatory} No… he’s definitely stalling.

 

Hikari {Passionate stance} It’s in the rules of the trial… you have to answer our question!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And please do not say that our question was not reglementary as we have precedent!

 

{Flashback}

 

Fusume: {Confident} I propose we ask Monokuma how Tadao got out of the music room… is anybody against that?

 

I’m not sure if this is a good idea or not… but I guess it’s better to use it now than to be stuck with Tadao ignoring our questions.

 

Fusume: {Uninterested} Well, if nobody has any objections…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Monokuma, we’d like to use our Ultimate Truth.

 

Tadao: {Nervous} H-Hey, there’s no need to do that haha… do you really need to know?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} You do remember that this is a once in a trial opportunity I hope… are you sure that you want to use it now?

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} Yes, we’re sure, now go ahead and answer the damn question.

 

Monokuma: Very well, {Red eye glowing} please formulate your question clearly for me.

 

Kôzuke: {Annoyed} Again?

 

Monokuma: It’s procedure kid… let it be.

 

Fusume: {Confident} Our question is “How did Tadao get out of the music room?”

 

Tadao: {Nervous} Hey, Monokuma… that question doesn’t apply does it? I’m sure there’s some sort of exception for this!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Nope, the only questions I won’t accept are those that directly indict someone… I’m afraid this question is fine to ask.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s right Monokuma! You have no choice but to answer our question!

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} I… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You what!?

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50yShkEarT4 )

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} I don’t know! I don’t have the answer to your stupid question! Is that what you wanted to hear!?

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} You… don’t know!?

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} No… I have no idea how that damn vault was designed… I let Kurozo take full control over that since he came up with the motive. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I thought you were supposed to be some sort of omniscient being in this resort.

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} W-Well… you thought wrong! 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} You really have no idea… how foolish… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} So we’ve just wasted our Ultimate Truth… by asking the one question you don’t have the answer to?

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Pretty much. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} W-Well… that sucks.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} W-Wait… it doesn’t have to be wasted! Even if Monokuma doesn’t know… Kurozo can answer our question can’t he?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} R-Right… Kurozo is the one who knows what’s what. 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Heh… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Problem solved then… we will simply redirect our question onto the elephant. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Kurozo! Tell us how the killer-

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} I’m afraid it’s not that simple.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Wh-What are you talking about? 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Well, well, well… don’t you kids remember? 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} We will use our Ultimate Truth for this trial! The question is : “Was there a secret passage that connected the hangar to the marinebiology lab?”

 

With that… we’ll finally be done… 

 

Oriana: {Bites knuckles, dark look} E-Enough…!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Why… is she acting so agitated?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Quiet, let us listen to the elephant’s answer!

 

Kurozo: {Flips through pages} Hm… I see… mhm… 

 

He’s… definitely taking his time… 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} Hm!

 

Kenji: {Furious} What’s taking so damn long!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Answer the question!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Mhm… before I do… I just have one question for you kids… 

 

A question… for us?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} What’s an Ultimate Truth?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Don’t tell me… 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} I thought that I made it clear last time around… I do not believe in the utility of those… “Ultimate Truths”. Which is why I have no obligation to answer your question!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} What now…?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} B-But you know the answer! Don’t you!?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Of course I do… that doesn’t mean I have to answer you though does it?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} How is this fair? Are we seriously not gonna get an answer man?

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} Life ain’t fair kid… that’s the way it is. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Monokuma… you make the rules right? Can’t you like… force him or something? 

Monokuma: {Nervous} F-Force him…? 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} R-Right… Kurozo, I’m in charge now and I order you to answer their question! For the good of the trial!

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} I don’t think you get it… it is for the well being of the class trial that I am refusing to answer. 

 

What has my life become?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} You’re the one who doesn’t get it! This is an order!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} If you don’t comply… I’ll have no choice but to have you removed… permanently. 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Yeah… I suppose you could do that… but if you get rid of me you won’t ever get an answer to your question will you?

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Y-You… you’ve been planning this from the start haven’t you? 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} But of course… I knew you’d have me killed the moment you decided to go on another one of your temper tantrums… that’s why I never shared any information about the vault with you!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Hold on… what did you say!?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You never actually knew how it worked… and you were too distracted by the fire to see how the murderer did it… you let your guard down Monokuma. 

 

Kurozo: And even though you demoted me and took my place as the gamemaster… 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} I was in control of everything… the entire time!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} He’s… s-scary man…!

 

This guy… 

 

Turns out he’s as cold and calculating as he appears… 

 

He kept Monokuma out of the loop to make sure that the bear couldn’t just get rid of him whenever he’d feel like it. 

 

That’s really smart… yet very deceitful at the same time. 

 

But… if that’s the case then… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: Kurozo! What does this mean!? Tell me!!!!

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I’m afraid I can’t help you… not with this at least. 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What do you mean… not with this? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Are you implying that… you can help us with something else?

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Yes, that’s what I’m saying… 

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} Before I say anything… you must know that this is completely off the record… Monokuma cannot know about this. 

 

Hayato: It’s not like we’re going to tell him… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} He’s taken control of the killing game once more… and he’s making a mess of it… which is why…

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} I’m willing… to help you guys as much as I can!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

When he offered his help to us… was that genuine, or another one of his ploys.

 

I knew we shouldn’t have trusted him. 

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} Y-You bastard… I should have killed you the moment I got back!

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} And yet you didn’t… and now it’s too late. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} This case can’t be solved without the information I bring to the table.

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Which means you have to keep me around… whether you like it or not!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} D-Damn you!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} That… can’t stand can it? 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} … 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} You kids may not get it… but the way things stand Monokuma has no choice but to accept this. 

 

Kurozo: The logistics of the trial would crumble if he had to lead without all the information. 

 

Kurozo: {Amused} You got complacent Monokuma… and this is what you get. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} So… let me get this straight… you’ve basically taken our Ultimate Truth as hostage in order to make sure that Monokuma won’t kill you?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Yes… that’s precisely what I just did. 

 

He… he just laid low until now so we wouldn’t suspect anything… but he just came out of nowhere and completely hijacked the trial.

 

Monokuma: {Angry} I should have… noticed… sooner… 

 

Kurozo: {Amused} Indeed you should… but now it’s too late, old friend. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} You’ll get time to reflect on that once the trial over… but now I say we pick up the pace here!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} What the heck just happened man…?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} S-So… do we get a refund on the Ultimate Truth or something?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Heh.

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} N-No… just move on from this topic!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Wait… what!? 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} We just… won’t get an answer at all?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Did I stutter!? You bastards are going to move on to something different! Right now! 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Why take away our Ultimate Truth… because of your personal quarrels? At least let us ask something different!

 

Monokuma: {Angry} No! This is the way it is… and you’re going to accept it! 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} One more objection… and I’ll make you bastards regret it.

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} That’s so unfair man… 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Looks like he’s taking out his frustration on us… I don’t think there’s much we can do anymore. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} We have to accept being stuck in such a dead end? Because of Monokuma’s arbitrary decisions?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} That is the way it works… we have no choice but to back down. 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} …

 

Damn you Kurozo… he’s the one who angered Monokuma… and now we’re suffering the consequences of his act. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} … 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} … 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

Fuck… without that information we don’t have anything to base our dicusssion on… 

 

We’re still stuck on an  impossible crime…

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Let’s… let’s… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Let’s not lose hope everyone! 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Hikari-chan?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} This is a major setback… but we can’t fight against them… which means we have to find another angle. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We’ll come back to this issue later on… and maybe with the information we’ll have gathered it’ll be possible to clear this up without Kurozo’s help!

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Heh… maybe so. 

 

Of course, Hikari’s the one who pushes us forward in the hardest of times… 

 

I don’t know where we’d be without her… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I am all for continuing the trial… but without said knowledge… I have to say that I am unsure what the next line of inquiry should be. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} What about… the fire in the evidence locker. 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping} The… fire?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} … 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Sorry to the two of you… but we have to get to it eventually. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} B-But… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Are you not curious? Do you not want to know who’s responsible for the accident behind those scars of yours?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Do you not want justice? 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Is that… really necessary man? 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I mean for all we know… this could just have been an accident. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} We don’t need to… relive it… 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Kôzuke-kun…

 

Hikari: {Sad} I’m sorry… I didn’t think it’d be that tough for you to go through what happened. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Even if it’s hard… we have to talk about it don’t we?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I mean… do we know for sure that the fire is connected to the murders?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} R-Right… maybe it’s all a big uh… coincidence… 

 

Was the fire coincidental? I don’t buy it. 

 

I guess they won’t listen to me without proof… Do I have the necessary evidence though?

 

Let me think things through… 

 

Maybe this could do the trick. 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Monokuma Bulletin

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I really don’t think that the fire’s unrelated… for two reasons. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… go on. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Well first things first, the fire broke out in the evidence locker… and even though the room was full of red herrings, there were definitely some important files in there. 

 

Hayato: Now… there’s nothing left. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} So… the culprit’s goal… it was… 

 

Hayato: I believe that by causing that fire, they were trying to: 

 

{Kill Jessie/Destroy the evidence/Ruin Monokuma’s hard work}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Destroy the evidence 

 

===



Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You mean to say that the person who started the fire tried to get rid of the evidence in that room… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Yes… that’s what I believe happened. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Intriguing… and why say you would the culprit want to destroy evidence regarding our past?

 

Jessie: {Sad} Didn’t that evidence… help all of us? We all want to know about our memories don’t we?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Unless… 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Unless that person is hiding something!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Who would want to hide something about our past? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Someone who has wronged us… for example. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} A person who did shady shit in the two years we’re missing… couldn’t that be… the traitor?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} …

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Yes… we’re getting to my second reason for suspecting foul play. 

 

Hayato: Please remember the first Monokuma Bulletin that we were shown. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

???: AHHHHHHHHH!

 

??? #2: Guys, where the hell are you? 

 

??? #3: Taro-san, over here. 

 

Those voices… I recognise them… even though I haven’t heard them in so long…

 

Kyia: Fukami, where’s the rest of them?

 

Fukami: I cannot say, the flames separated me from the group. 

 

The… flames?

 

???: I… can’t find Shinto… what if something… had happened to him?

 

Kyia: Try to stay calm Yoko… I’m sure they’ll be fine… 

 

Yoko: Fine!? We’re all gonna die dammit!

 

Kyia: Help will come… it has to… they must have been alerted by now.

 

Fukami: Who… could have done this? 

 

Yoko: Somebody is trying to kill us all!!

 

Kyia: Girls… we don’t have time for this… we need to get to safety!

 

Yoko: Ahhh… the flames… they’re creeping closer and closer!!!

 

Fukami: We… cannot die here… not before we have accomplished what we came here to do!!!

 

Yoko: Somebody betrayed us!! That’s the only way they would have known that we’d all be here tonight!

 

Kyia: Don’t worry… we’ll make it out of here… and we’ll figure out who ratted us out… 

 

Kyia: Trust me… they will be punished accordingly…

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… you are talking about the fire at the Eden Corp headquarters… correct?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Right… from what we heard in that tape, we assumed that the traitor was responsible for that fire. 

 

Hayato: And now we have another man made fire… by someone trying to get rid of compromising information regarding our past. 

 

Hayato: When you put two and two together… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} That sounds a lot like the traitor’s doing!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} The traitor… is behind the fire?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} That person almost got the two of us killed… and for what?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} If… one of us really did this… one of us really scarred me like this…

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} I-I’d like to find out who it was!

 

Good… he’s motivated again. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You raise an interesting point… it does seem plausible that the traitor could be responsible for the burning of the evidence. 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} However… you have no evidence of that… only speculation for now. 

 

Hayato: For now… I’m confident we’ll find something to prove my point. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I see… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} For the time being… maybe we should talk about how someone could have actually started that fire… 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, points with finger} Maybe that would help narrow down the suspects. 

 

Reijiro: Yes… that is a good idea. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Let’s go then… let’s uh… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Let’s figure out who did this to us…!

 

Thank goodness Hikari managed to put us back in the right direction… we have a new angle to examine.

 

There’s no way that fire wasn’t born out of malicious intentions… somebody tried to destroy that evidence… and I will figure out who!

 

Or rather… first let’s figure out how!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t



{Truth Bullets : Fusume’s injuries, Monokuma Bulletin, Monokuma safe report, Remote Firestarters, Vault room’s crane}

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Let’s see here… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} There aren’t a million ways to start a fire! 

 

Kôzuke: Maybe we should just throw out ideas and see what sticks!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Let’s get the obvious out of the way… the culprit could have used a lighter to get it done.

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} That’s the most efficient way to cause a fire to break out isn’t it? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… with all the paper in that room… 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Even a match would have been enough!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Both those options are plausible… 

 

Hikari: I’m almost certain you could find either or in the black building’s storage room! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} One thing’s for sure…

 

Jessie: {Pouting} The culprit had to enter the evidence locker without me noticing! 

 

Jessie: {Sad} I was… really focusing on what I was doing… that’s probably why I didn’t hear them come…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Yes, unless of course…

 

Reijiro: {Points at Jessie} You are the culprit!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} M-Me? Are you crazy!?

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} I… almost died in there…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I am not accusing you… I merely state the facts. 

 

 

It would be much easier to do this if I knew how the fire was started… 

 

I should start by looking in the evidence if I have found any sort of incandescent material. 

 

It’ll be much easier to take it from there. 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Remote Firstarters →   The culprit had to enter the evidence locker without me noticing! 



===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34 )

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Actually Jessie… the culprit could have set the room ablaze without actually being there! That’s why you didn’t notice anyone enter!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Wh-What!? But that’s impossible! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Oh trust me… it’s possible!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You could only do such a thing with technical apparatus. 


Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I have not seen anything of the sort in the blue building…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} That’s where you’re wrong Reijiro!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Hm…?

 

Hayato: {Determined} There actually was a piece of equipment capable of remotely starting the fire in the armory!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Nonsense! I searched the armoury thoroughly and I did not find-

 

Hayato: There is something that you guys don’t know… something that Fusume did on the very first day. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} We obviously cannot leave this place like that… especially since it will be almost impossible to monitor whether weapons are taken out of here once the others arrive. 

 

Hayato: Are we the first people to see this? 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Yes… I have not seen anybody else near this room… I believe that we have got some time before the others get here. 

 

Hayato: What are you thinking?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I need… to hide some of this stuff… the most dangerous weapons need to be taken care of. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} It will likely take me some time… please, take a look around and come back to me when you’re done… 

 

Fusume: Hopefully… I’ll have solved the problem by then.

 

Hayato: Alright… good luck with that I guess.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Wh-What!? You mean…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} She… hid weapons from us? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Her intention was always to protect us… and to do so she hid the most dangerous items in the armoury before the rest of you could get to them… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} With Kenji in that state… I can’t blame her for what she did. 

 

Reijiro: {Rubs eye, sad expression} She did not… consult me… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Amongst the items she hid… were these!

 

{Close-up on the box of firestarters} 

 

Hayato: These firestarters are advertised as capable of starting a full blown fire on the push of a button. 

 

Jessie: That… does sound like what could have been used in the evidence locker… 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} There are only six of us left… and none of us were spotted close to the evidence locker when the fire began…

 

Hayato: Additionally… we didn’t find any traces of a lighter or matches in there… this leads me to believe that one of these devices was used. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} That is plausible but… 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Hhngh… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Reijiro…?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’m happy to consider these to have been used but in that case… doesn’t that create some kind of a problem?

 

A problem…?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-None of us knew about those firestarters did we?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} You four didn’t but… 

 

WAIT…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} What the hell…?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} What’s going on? What did you just figure out?

 

How did I not think of this sooner…?

 

Because they were hidden so early on… only two people knew about those devices. 

 

I’m one of them… and I know I didn’t do it… 

 

That only leaves… one other person. 

 

But… no…

 

That cannot be… 

 

Fuck… 

 

What does this means!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You’ve gone this far… you might as well say it! 

 

He knows… that I know. 

 

Dammit!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} By process of elimination… there’s only one person who could have gotten their hands on those firestarters. 

 

Hayato: And that person… it’s…

 

CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT: 

Answer : Fusume

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Only Fusume could have done it… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I was afraid you’d say that!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} …

 

Jessie: {Shocked} There’s… no way!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} …

 

Hayato: I… don’t know why she’d do it but… the firestarters were hidden in her room… that means that only she could have gotten a hold of them… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} B-But… that would mean that she-

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Think carefully of what you are about to imply… 

 

Nobody but Fusume could have had access to those firestarters… which makes her the prime suspect in this incident…

 

But that would mean… 

 

N-No… I need to think this through once again… this can’t be right… it makes no sense at all… 

 

Think Hayato… think…!

 

I need to understand… what this all means!

 

LOGIC DIVE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP7r1TVINsg



Q1: Where did Fusume store the firestarters? 

{In my room/In her room /In the restaurant}

 

 

 

Answer: In her room



Q2: Who knew about the firestarter’s existence?

{Fusume and I/Fusume and Reijiro/Kenji and I}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Fusume and I

 

Q3: Who did we assume was responsible of the fire in the first place? 

{Monokuma/The mastermind/The traitor}

 

 

 

 

Answer: The traitor

 

Q3: Therefore, who’s the traitor?

{Fusume/Kenji/Reijiro}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Fusume

 

===




F-Fuck… there’s… no doubt about it is there?

 

I’ve had to speak some problematic truths… but god will this go down particularly badly with the others… 

 

Boy… here goes nothing. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I know that this will sound crazy to you… but judging by what we’ve discussed until now… the conclusion I came to was uh… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Uh… it’s um… I mean… 

 

Shinto: {Frown} Speak!

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Hayato: {Defeated} The traitor… is Fusume.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You dared… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Fusume-chan… no way!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} That’s impossible!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I’m as upset as you all are over this… but this is the only outcome that makes sense. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Please… explain how you got to this conclusion man…

 

Hayato: It’s rather straightforward… we concluded that the culprit behind the fire was the traitor… that culprit likely used those firestarters… and only Fusume could have done that. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} If you put two and two together… Fusume’s got to be the traitor. 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} N-No… not Fusume-chan. 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Do you have no shame? Speaking ill of the dead like that?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} That’s not what I’m doing… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Your logic is fallacious at best. Firstly, you have not proved that the firestarters were used. 

 

Hayato: It’s the most likely method though… isn’t it?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Maybe so… but that does not prove that she did it… somebody could have stolen them from her room… and moreover…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You have absolutely no proof that she is the traitor. That accusation is baseless and frankly ridiculous. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} The truth is that every single step of your thinking is flawed… you have nothing, not a speck of-

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} W-Wait a second!

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} I was not finished. 

 

Hayato: What you just said… it got me thinking. 

 

I can’t believe where I’m going with this… but if the evidence brought me here… I have to follow the breadcrumbs. 

 

Hayato: We might have stumbled on the truth by complete accident but… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} There might actually be proof that the traitor really is Fusume. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-No way… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You are bluffing… such evidence does not exist. 

 

I never thought of it this way… but if we look at it with this perspective in mind… it all makes much more sense. 

 

Despite how much I hate what this means… I have no choice but to accept this path. 

Hayato: {Defeated} This hurts me to say but… Fusume really was the traitor, and this proves it! 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: 80th class file

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} I found files regarding our class inside Fusume’s stuff in her room. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Inside there was a letter which I didn’t understand at the time… but it makes much more sense now that we know the truth. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What did it say? 

 

Hayato: It read… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

“The Hope’s Peak directorial committee hereby confirms that Fusume Ebisawa has been accepted as a late entry into the academy’s 80the class. 

 

Please note that this kind of last minute request would usually be rejected by the committee. However, these exceptional conditions give us no choice but to accept. 

 

Keep this in mind for the next time you desire to send us students. 

 

Sincerely”

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} N-No…

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Fusume… wasn’t originally meant to be in our class. This letter proves it. 

 

Hayato: Do you remember what Monokuma told us about the traitor originally?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} It turns out… that there is a traitor among you. 

 

Kôzuke: {Graps medals} A t-t-traitor?

 

Kenji: {Pulls on shirt collar} That’s fucking bullshit!

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Sadly, it isn’t! One of you bastards isn’t who they say they are and in fact… they definitely weren't part of the group before the killing game started!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} What!? But… we all are classmates aren’t we!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Yeah… we should all be part of the same group no?

 

Monokuma: Aw.. you kids are so innocent… let’s just say the world isn’t quite how you remember it… some things might have changed… the group went one way and the traitor… didn’t. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: He said that somebody wasn’t a part of our group… and Fusume wasn’t actually a member of our class. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} It all makes too much sense! She’s the traitor!

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} Hnnnnhngh…!!!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} That’s… n-no… Fusume-chan… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} It all seems to be pointing at her… all of a sudden. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Why… would she betray us like that?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I think I know what her role consisted in… how she became to be… a traitor. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} You mean that you know… why she infiltrated our class?

 

Hayato: Yes… judging by her talent and what we know… I believe that Fusume was… doing this!

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csp8A4G7y-c

 

Question: What was Fusume doing in our class?

 

-----

 

Y N I S S M I S P G I N O 

 

===

 

… 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : S P Y I N G  M I S S I O N 

 

===

 

(Music :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU )

 

Hayato: I still don’t know the reason but… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} I believe that Fusume was spying on us!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} She was a spy?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Her talent as an Ultimate Ninja… and the way that letter is formulated… it makes it seem pretty clear that she was a spy of some sort. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} So… all that talk about protecting us… all the work she did as a leader to the group… it was all a lie?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Not necessarily… I still believe that the Fusume we knew was genuine… if her memories from the past two years were also suppressed… maybe she had no idea that she wasn’t meant to be a part of our class. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I refuse to believe that it was all a lie. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I’d rather… if that was the case man… 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Fusume-chan… wasn’t a liar

 

Hayato: For some reason unknown to us… a party wanted a mole inside of our class… possibly someone to gather evidence. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Fusume was sent as part of her ninja occupation… and she was used in order to spy on us!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Damn you!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} R-Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} This is nothing but slander… you have no evidence of any of this!

 

This must be tough for him to consider… the two of them were really close after all. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Actually… I have presented a lot of conclusive evidence Reijiro… we might have gotten to the truth through a long detour… but in the end it’s the result that matters. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Fusume set the evidence locker on fire to burn down all of the evidence in there… and she did so because she’s the traitor. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} After all the time she spent working in that room… you think it was all a lie?

 

Hayato: I don’t know her intentions Reijiro…all I know is this!

 

Hayato: {Determined} She’s the traitor… which means… I finally understand the motive behind this case! 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} The… motive? 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Fusume… the traitor… she was our enemy… that’s what somebody could have thought. 

 

Hayato: Her identity as the traitor… might be what got her killed in the end!

 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

Jessie: {Sad} I can’t believe it… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} F-Fuck, man!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} So… that’s why she was killed. 

 

Hayato: That’s likely why… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We might know the reason behind it… but we still don’t know how exactly she died do we?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I guess we have yet to discuss that… you’re right. 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} We’re getting closer and closer to the truth… I can feel it. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} That’s why… we need to continue onward… and figure out exactly how she died.

 

Slightly changing the subject might dilute some of the tension in this room. 

 

I won’t say no to that. 

 

Let’s figure this out… slowly but surely. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Maybe we should… figure out the cause of death… right?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Isn’t that obvious? Fusume-chan was stabbed in the flank. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Oh sorry… I didn’t think it was that obvious. 

 

Is it… that obvious? 

 

Hayato: Actually… I’m not so sure that the answer’s that simple. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} But… she really was stabbed wasn’t she?

 

Hayato: She was… but you need to keep this piece of evidence in mind Jessie!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Fusume’s injuries

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Fusume’s wound was bandaged. That shows that there was an attempt at covering her wound… and therefore keeping her alive!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} I… hadn’t thought about that. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Well… do we know who might have bandaged her stab wound?

 

Hayato: Thinking logically… it has to be either Fusume herself… or the murderer. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} The… murderer? But that makes no sense man! Why would you stab someone and then try to save their life?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} That’s a fair objection… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} It doesn’t really matter who treated her just yet… what matters is that the wound was covered and that she likely didn’t die of blood loss!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} But… if she didn’t bleed to death then… how did she die?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} I guess this is where the Monokuma file would have come in handy huh?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} You lot should think of that before damaging my property… this is what you get! 

 

There was no Monokuma File for Fusume’s death… and therefore no established cause of death. 

 

Still, I know the answer to that question… blood loss wasn’t the real cause of death… I figured that back when we investigated the body. 

 

Hayato: Fusume’s cause of death… was this! 

 

{Poison/Head wound/Strangulation}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Strangulation

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} Fusume was strangled to death! 

 

Jessie: {Sad} How… 끔찍한…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I suppose that you have evidence to back up that claim right?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Of course… there were clear signs on her body that she was strangled. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Show us!

 

Hayato: You got it! Here’s the proof to support my claim!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Rope burns

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Fusume’s neck showed clear signs of rope burn… much reminiscent of what we found on Tadao’s body. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Tadao… was hanged to death. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} To be fair… Fusume’s burns aren’t as deep… nor as thick at Tadao’s. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} That must mean that she was strangled with a smaller rope… like… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Like her rope belt! 

 

Hayato: Yes… that’s a possibility. Her rope belt could easily have been the murder weapon!

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} So… that’s how she died? The murderer tightened that belt around her neck and… hnngh… I don’t want to imagine it. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Doesn’t it still seem odd though? Why stab her… then treat her wound… then strangle her to death? 

 

Hikari: {nervous smile} It looks like we were dealing with an indecisive blackened. 

 

He’s right… it is odd… and I still haven’t actually understood why the killer did what they did… 

 

(Music :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 )

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} In the end… none of this really matters does it? 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} It doesn’t matter?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} As long as we do not know how the killer entered the vault… figuring out the cause of death remains superfluous in my eyes. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} You… you’re saying… 

 

Dammit… he’s right… we can’t reach a conclusion until we know the truth about the vault. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} But… we have no way of getting to the truth without Kurozo’s help do we?

 

Hikari: {Sad} And that guy… seemed pretty bent on staying silent about this!

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} 

 

He won’t speak… 

 

We need to figure the truth out without him… 

 

But… without examining the vault itself… how can we figure out what sort of secret entrance was used? 

 

What they’re asking of us is… impossible. 

 

We know nothing about the vault… let alone its secrets

 

That bastard… is keeping us in the dark… he won’t even give us a clue… 

 

Unless… 

 

Could he have already given us what we need?

 

He dropped a clue subliminally last time around so this time… could it be?

 

 

 

… 

 

OH MY GOD!

 

He… did tell us… that slimy prick… I should have been paying more attention. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Nope… not happening this time. I’ve learnt my lesson. The blackened is most definitely one of you guys! 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} But… how can it be possible then…?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Is it really that hard to grasp?

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} Monokuma… you have to admit that it is odd for the murder to have occured in such a sealed chamber. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forwards} Only you had the key to open the main door at the front of the vault. It’s natural for there to be suspicions-

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} I don’t remember allowing you to talk, Kurozo. Please, remember your place. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

That’s it… he dropped the answer when we least expected it… but I’m onto him now. 

 

And… thinking about it now I think that I can actually prove it!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I might have an idea of where that secret entrance to the vault was located!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} R-Really?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Do we even know for sure that a secret entrance was used?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Well, since the door wasn’t open… it doesn’t leave us much of an alternative. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} If you have really figured it out then do tell us where that mystery entrance is!

 

The evidence that proves it… that precisely shows where the secret passage was… it’s this! 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Hikari’s picture

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}



(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 )

 

Hayato: Take a look at this picture taken by Hikari! 

 

{Picture is shown on screen. Fusume’s body can be seen laying on her side. Some files are scattered on the floor next to her body. Some subtle dents can be seen on the back wall of the vault} 

 

Hikari: That picture? I only took it for good measure you know? Is there really some dark secret hidden in there?

 

Reijiro: Hnngh… 

 

Shinto: Wait… are my eyes deceiving me or…

 

Hayato: No, Shinto, your eyesight’s fine! 

 

{Zoom on the vault’s back wall} 

 

Hayato: Two parallel dents… on the far wall of the vault… hidden in plain sight. 

 

Jessie: Those dents… are the answer we’ve been looking for, Hayato-kun? 

 

Hayato: It took me some time but… Kurozo referred more than once to the vault’s door as “the door at the front of the vault”. That’s oddly specific isn’t it? 

 

Hayato: Or at least it would be… if there was only one door to the safe!

 

Kôzuke: N-No way! 

 

Hayato: So if we're not talking about the vault’s front door… perhaps it’s the vault’s backdoor that was used!

 

Shinto. A… backdoor…

 

Hayato: Looking at those dents closer… they seem to actually be part of a small hatch… 

 

Hayato: A hatch large enough for a body to be inserted!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s the truth of the vault! 

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Heh… see… I’m not so cruel… I always tell you what I mean… even though it might be too subtle for some of you at times. 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} H-Hey! That was pretty much impossible to catch! 

 

Hayato: And with that… the impossible nature of this crime disappears!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

Hayato: {Determined} The killer used that hatch to get Fusume’s body inside of the vault-

 

Hikari: {Close-up on face} YOU’VE GOT THAT WRONG!

 

{Split-screen between Hikari and Hayato}

 

Wh-What now…? 

 

And she stole my line!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I’m sorry Hayato… But what you’re saying makes no sense at all! 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} It… doesn't…?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I’m afraid not… there’s something you’re missing… something that invalidates your entire theory!

 

Hayato: Is that so…? Well, in that case… please let me hear what it is I’m missing!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Okay, here I go… I won’t hold back!

 

She wouldn’t interrupt if she didn’t have a real reason to do so… 

 

I need to listen to what she’s got to say… carefully. 

 

Hikari will be a tough opponent… but I cannot lose… not so close to the truth!

 

===

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4w_7v_BHM )

 

{Truth Blades: Fusume’s Injuries, Monokuma Safe report, Vault room’s crane} 

 

Hikari: 

 

I’ve been following so far… 

 

And I must say that you’ve been quite convincing Hayato! 

 

But… a back door? That makes no sense at all!

 

I guess the picture can lead to confusion… 

 

But you’ve forgotten one important detail!

 

There’s no way that the killer could have gotten the body in through a back door because… 

 

The vault is positioned flush against the far wall of the room itself! 

 

ADVANCE

 

Hayato: It’s positioned… against the wall? 

 

Hikari: 

 

You heard me! 

 

There’s no way to access the back wall of the vault!

 

If the vault was in the center of the room then I would have been fine with it… 

 

But… unless there was a way to spin the vault around…

 

Your theory simply cannot stand!

 

 

I understand what she’s getting to… if you couldn’t access the hatch then my whole theory collapses. 

 

But… there was a way to get to it… there has to be!

 

I just need to figure out a way to prove it!

 

===

 

 

 


SOLUTION : Vault room’s crane → unless there was a way to spin the vault around…

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

Yes… that’s it… that’s what it was for! 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Thanks for raising that point Hikari… but I do believe that I have a counterargument!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Y-You do?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} There… was a way to get to the hatch… despite it being blocked by the room’s wall!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But… how is that possible, man?

 

Hayato: {Determined} It’s simple… all the killer had to do… was rotate the vault 180 degrees using the crane in that room!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} That crane… I thought we didn’t know what it was for…

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Officially we don’t… but if you think about it… it makes a lot of sense!

 

{Flashback }

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Also, before any of you asks, I have no idea what that crane is for. Kurozo’s the one who installed it there. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Can’t we just… ask him?

 

Monokuma: BORING! That’s all I hear! The crane’s pointless… it makes a ton of noise… and isn’t good for anything. 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} It’s a good thing that this room’s soundproof… 

 

Hayato: It’s… soundproofed?

 

Monokuma: {Proudly} Yes! I thought that it’d be a nice touch… in case one of you wants to commit their murder inside this very room… would be quite poetic… wouldn’t it

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: Kurozo created the vault… and he also installed that crane. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} It must be there for a reason… there’s always some sort of explanation behind his actions… 

 

{Close-up on the crane’s hook}

 

Hayato: Looking at the crane’s extremity, it seems to fit perfectly inside the hole on top of the vault… that can’t be a coincidence!

 

Jessie: Incroyable…

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} So… th-that’s what it was for? It wasn’t some sort of weird post-modern decoration?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} You trunked fool… you had planned this entire thing through… I recognise your style! 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} Heh… heh… heh… 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} I guess… he wouldn’t build a hatch into the vault and make it unattainable… you must be right Hayato. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} How… complex of a design… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} But… hold on just a second! Monokuma told us that the crane made a ton of noise didn’t he? 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} If that was the case… wouldn’t the rest of us have heard it being used?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I don’t remember anything like that all morning… and my hearing is pretty good I think. 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} No… it’s normal that we didn’t hear it… the whole room was soundproofed, remember?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} O-Oh… he did say that!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} No matter how loud that crane was… the blackened could have used it to their heart’s content and we would have been none the wiser. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} That’s right, the room being soundproof is an essential aspect of the killer's plan-

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCho8m4Zyc)

 

Wait… 

 

The walls… were soundproof. 

 

Sound… couldn’t get out… or in for that matter.

 

That means… whoever was in there when the murder was committed couldn’t have heard anything that was happening outside of the basement… 

 

They couldn’t have heard… anything… 

 

That would explain why that person… said… something so peculiar. 

 

It bugged me at first… but I didn’t put too much attention on it… that’s not shocking judging by the situation.

 

But now… that small blunder… is about to break this case open… finally. 

 

The killer… 

 

The person who murdered Fusume… who murdered my friend…

 

I can’t get hung up on their identity… or how much I don’t want to accuse them… I’ve felt that too many times. 

 

No matter who they are… I can’t forgive them for what they did. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} I… I know who killed her.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Y-You do!? So suddenly?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Well come on then… what are you waiting for! Tell us? 

 

I should have been more nervous… more hesitant… more heartbroken. 

 

But… I guess you could say that when you’re staring at the face of death… all those feelings are secondary at best. 

 

Without a second of uncertainty, my index finger shot up to point at one person… the true blackened. 

 

The person who’d fall down with me… who’d get executed with me. 

 

The person who murdered Fusume… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} The second blackened in this case… it can only be you!

 

CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT: 

 

Hayato: {Determined} …

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …

 

Fusume

 

Kôzuke : {Grasps medals} …

 

Jessie: {Scared} …

 

Kenji

 

Oriana

 

Raiko

 

Yoshi 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat}  … 

 

Yoko

 

Kyia

 

Tadao

 

Fukami

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

Rina

 

Notes:

Sounds like Hayato's pretty determined to accuse Fusume's killer… I wonder who it could be…

This is your last chance to predict who killed her so as usual, don't hesitate to drop predictions or general comments, I read everything (and try to answer most)

Next chapter will have a bunch of reveals which I hope will surprise you so stay on the lookout for that!

In the meantime, I will thank you once again for taking the time to read this fangan. We're getting closer and closer to the end and I'm excited to wrap it all up!

Thanks again and see you in the next one ;)

Chapter 62: Chapter 5 : Monokuma Presents "The Greatest Heist" : Class Trial part 4

Notes:

Many predictions have been made and the time has come to see who got it right.

And, the heinous blackened who took Fusume's life is…

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

{Select Reijiro}

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Reijiro… it’s you. You killed her didn’t you?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} … 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} R-Reijiro-kun!? That’s who you’re accusing?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Y-You can’t be serious.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} First, Fusume’s a traitor and now… this? 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I’m really sorry to have to say this… but it’s the truth. Reijiro’s the only one who could have killed her. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} And dare I ask… what your motive for accusing me is? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Because… you have a good reason to do so… correct?

 

He looks so… unbothered… despite the fact I’ve just accused him of murder. 

 

I should show him… just how serious I am with this!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Of course there’s a good reason Reijiro… and I’m about to prove to everyone here that nobody but you could be responsible for this crime! 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Hm… I see…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Well… please, speak your mind freely.

 

Oh trust me… I will. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The crucial fact about this case which I’ve just been reminded of is the fact that the basement was soundproof. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} R-Right… I remember that being said. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} But how does it prove Reijiro’s guilt?

 

Hayato: I’m getting to it… you see, right after the evidence locker was set on fire…

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} By… Fusume-chan… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Right…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Either way… please remember what Monokuma said back then… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: You bastards… you stupid kids… you shit-eating rascals!

 

Monokuma: You think you can just destroy my property like that… and there won’t be repercussions?

 

Monokuma: If you don’t put this out immediately… the consequences will be dire… 

 

Monokuma: Don’t test me… any further!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} H-He did say that… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} How… rude…

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Mhmngh…

 

He knows that I’ve got him cornered… he finally realised it. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} So Hayato… why are you bringing this up? 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Because the killer… made a little slip-up. 

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} A… slip-up? 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} That’s right… they said something which they shouldn’t have… and here we are…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Shinto: {Shocked} Guys, what’s going on-

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} N-No way!!! What the hell is this!?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I guess this is why he called us shit-eating rascals… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Who would use such shameful language… and why are you bringing this up now?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Didn’t you hear the- 

 

Hayato: Guys! Shut up already! Kôzuke’s in there!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} You mean that Reijiro…

 

Hayato: That’s right… he clearly didn’t hear Monokuma’s insult… if not then he wouldn’t have been so surprised. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} And the reason he didn’t hear him was because he was in the basement… murdering Fusume!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} If I remember correctly, Reijiro and Shinto were the last to arrive at the evidence locker… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} That’s right. I heard Monokuma’s announcement and immediately made my way towards the green building to see what was happening. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I met Reijiro… right outside the entrance…

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} As I expected… Reijiro had probably just left the scene of the crime… and because of the soundproof walls of the basement, he had no idea that the evidence locker was on fire!

 

Hayato: {Determined} You have no alibi… and the fact that you didn’t hear Monokuma proves that you were in the basement.

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} D-Damn…

 

Hayato: So Reijiro… what do you have to say for yourself!?

 

 

 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Uh… Reijiro? 

 

Is he not going to say anything?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… that is a wild accusation to make. 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} You want these people to believe that the fact that I didn’t memorise the exact words Monokuma used to insult us makes me a murderer?

 

Hayato: {Determined} The problem isn’t that you didn’t memorise his words… it’s that you didn’t hear them!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You have no way of proving that though… do you? 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} W-Well…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I suppose that if you could prove that I did not hear anything… that would be somewhat convincing… it could perhaps imply that I was indeed operating that crane like you claim. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} But the only thing you have against me is that  I was shocked by the bear’s insult… nothing more. 

 

Reijiro: {Glares} That does not sound like very compelling evidence to me!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Hnngh…!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} …

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} …

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} …

 

 

Fuck… he’s turned it around on me so quickly… 

 

What he’s saying makes total sense… my accusation only holds up if I can prove he really didn’t hear anything… but there’s no proof of that anywhere is there?

 

I need to think… 

 

 

 

 

Nothing’s coming to me… I can’t prove it… all I have is my logic. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} As I suspected… you have no evidence to support your claim. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} W-well…

 

Dammit!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} As long as Hayato can’t prove that Reijiro really was in the basement… I guess this line of inquiry won’t amount to anything will it? 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I disagree. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Shinto-kun?

 

Shinto: {Bends forwards, points with cane} Hayato’s theory might be just a theory without evidence… but all Reijiro has done is create doubt… he hasn’t proven his innocence either!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Perhaps… but what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Well, you’re still innocent as far as I’m concerned… but that doesn’t change the fact that you’re suspicious. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I see what he means… Hayato hasn’t done enough to prove Reijiro’s guilt… but Reijiro hasn’t necessarily proved that Hayato’s accusation is baseless. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} All he’s done is… make it seem questionable!

 

Th-That’s right… he hasn’t proved me wrong yet!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} What they’re saying is true Reijiro… I might not be able to prove your guilt just yet… but you haven’t shown any sort of evidence that could counter my claim!

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} Mmph… what about the fact that I could simply have misheard the announcement? 

 

Hikari: That would nullify Hayato’s hypothesis but the problem with that is…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} You can’t prove that you misheard it can you!?

 

They’re all behind me… I can’t let that shift of momentum go to waste. 

 

Hayato: It looks like you’re going to have to better explain yourself Reijiro!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… you are using my logic against me… I see. How intriguing.

 

Reijiro: I cannot say that I agree with your way of thinking but… if you insist…

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I suppose I have no choice but to show you just how ridiculous this accusation really is!

 

We’re finally going to get him to talk.  

 

This won’t be easy… but I need to find an inconsistency in his defense… that’s the only way forwards.

 

He killed her… I know he did!

 

That means there must be some way to prove it… and I’ll find that way!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t )



{Truth Bullets : Remote firestarters, Fusume’s injury, Fusume’s account, Vault room’s crane, Monokuma safe report}

 

Reijiro: {Smug} If I understand this correctly… you claim that I murdered the victim in the basement… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} And then I used the crane to rotate the safe and hide her body inside it.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Now you have had some outlandish theories… but this one might be the most ridiculous one yet. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} R-Ridiculous…? Why is it ridiculous? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} There are a few reasons why this simply could not have happened. 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} I shall not repeat myself… but it should be obvious to everyone here that there is no proof I was in the basement when the fire broke out. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} However… the real problem is that no one would be foolish enough to go for such a risky plan. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} What do you mean by that Reijiro-kun?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Why rotate the safe? It would be a loud and tedious process… furthermore, if anybody had entered the basement at any stage…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I would have been caught red-handed… there and then!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} He’s not wrong man… using that crane to get her inside the vault would have been hella risky. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} That is unless he could have guaranteed that no one would bust through the door with some sort of distraction… 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches first, frustrated} The truth of the matter is that this is nothing but the wild fantasies of a known murderer trying to take me down with him for some twisted reason. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} It should be him on the chopping block… not me!

 

As expected he’s trying to shift the blame on me… I can’t say that it’s too surprising. 

 

And he’s right… I am a murderer… but that won’t change the fact that he’s guilty.

 

I should tear down his arguments with evidence… we’ll see if he acts to smug after that!

 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Remote fire starters → with some sort of distraction… 

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Shinto} Yeah! You’re right!

 

{BREAK}



(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34 )

 

Hayato: {Determined} Shinto’s got it spot on! Your plan really wasn’t that risky because you had a way to make sure no one would enter the basement!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} …

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I… I was right?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I don’t get it, Hayato-kun… even though there’s only 6 of us left… how could Reijiro-kun have known for sure that none of us would disrupt his plans?

 

Kozuke: {Worried} Y-You couldn’t… lock the door could you?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} No, you can’t. However… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} What if I told you that there was a much better way to keep us out of the basement!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Wh-What!?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Th-There’s… a better way?

 

Hayato: But of course…

 

Hayato: {Determined} The culprit used the fire in the evidence locker as distraction while they were committing their crime!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} …

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} … 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Th-The fire!?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} We were all panicked by the fire… especially since Jessie was trapped in the flame. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} With the chaos happening upstairs, none of us would have even thought of going to the basement!

 

Hayato: That fire was the distraction that Reijiro needed to commit his crime in peace!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Wait a second! I thought we said that Fusume was behind the fire! Now you’re saying it was Reijiro?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Well…

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Do you not even have the decency to stick to your own story?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} What’s that all about Hayato man? 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I understand that Reijiro needed a distraction… but we agree that only Fusume could have started that fire… and she’s the victim!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} R-Right… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Well Hayato, which is it? Who’s behind the fire? Reijiro or Fusume?

 

I need to think about this for a second… 

 

I accused Fusume because she hid the fire starters in her room… and she was supposedly not going to tell anyone about it. 

 

But would it be that surprising that Reijiro found out about it one way or another?

 

Maybe she confided in him… they were really close after all. 

 

N-No… she said that she wouldn’t!

 

{Flashback} 

 

 Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato… as I feared, there are a lot of dangerous weapons in here… I have no choice but to hide the most potent objects in my room. Namely, the bullets' firearms and those explosives… these worry me especially!

 

Hayato: In your room…? Are you sure that it's safe?

 

Fusume: {Confident} As long as nobody else knows about this… we're okay… that includes Reijiro! Please, do not tell him anything about what I'm doing!

 

Hayato: You… don't trust him?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Of course I do… this is for his own safety. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} Just… forget about this entirely, if you will!

 

Fusume: {Confident} I'll deal with this going forward!

 

Hayato: I'll trust you Fusume… just… don't put yourself in any unnecessary danger okay?

 

Fusume: {Content} Don't worry about me!

 

How can I not be worried…? 

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We await your answer…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} W-Well… Fusume did say she wouldn’t tell anyone about the fire starters… that’s why we suspected her. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} But if anybody other than her was to get their hands on those devices… it’s you Reijiro!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Me…? Why me?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} You were pretty close to Fusume-chan… weren’t you? 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Our relationship was purely professional… and the fact that we were both leaders does not mean that she would disclose such sensitive information to me. 

 

Purely professional… as if. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} S-So… is Fusume not behind the fire?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Mmph… at the risk of repeating myself, I will say this: You have no proof whatsoever. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} H-Huh?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Where is your proof that I started that fire? You are going back on your own words to make your ridiculous theory more believable. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Without evidence… your words mean nothing!

 

He’s… not wrong… 

 

I was convinced that Fusume was behind the fire… and truth be told it seems very odd for her to have told him about the fire starters when her goal was to protect him… 

 

However… there’s no way that the fire and the murder happened at the same time by complete coincidence… I won’t believe it. 

 

She set the evidence locker on fire… and got killed right after. 

 

Not only that… that fire was the perfect distraction to give Reijiro enough time to rotate the safe… 

 

Something is wrong here. 

 

The two events must be connected… one way or another. 

 

I just don’t know how yet…

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Hayato… you have evidence right? 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} W-Well… I’m not sure if I have anything to prove that Reijiro started the fire but… it can’t be a coincidence r-right-

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Pathetic… you advance those foolish theories without a speck of evidence… and you go as far as to change your accusations based on what works for your narrative. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} That sort of logic cannot stand… that is not the way to the truth. 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} B-But… 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Either way… there is another glaring contradiction in your theory.

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, pointing with finger} A glaring… contradiction? What are you talking about exactly?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… listen and I shall tell you. 

 

He’s got another counter? I’m already struggling to answer his first two queries… 

 

I should have known that a battle of wits against the Ultimate Intellectual would be no easy feat… 

 

But… his talent doesn’t change the fact that he killed Fusume… and that means that there must be some flaw in his logic…

 

And I’ll be the one to break that logic down!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXSH3q8F96E)

 

{Truth Bullets : Monokuma Bulletin, Remote fire starters, Fusume’s injury, Monokuma File #5, Hikari’s picture}

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} So… there's another problem with Hayato-kun’s theory? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} As I said… you have omitted to explain a contradiction so crucial that your entire narrative will crumble down. 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Th-Then… please tell us more Reijiro!

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated expression} There was close to no blood inside the vault. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Th-That’s right!!!

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} But… what does it mean man?

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} You claim that the victim was stabbed inside the vault… which means that she should have bled out in there.

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Even if she was killed in the basement… then there would be at least some blood left behind. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Of course… but we didn’t find any traces of blood in the vicinity… did we?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} There was no blood… which now asks the question… was the victim really killed in the basement?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} B-But… Reijiro! We’ve built our entire case on that assumption. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Then… perhaps we got it wrong from the get go. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} If she was murdered anywhere other than the basement… then all accusations against me should cease to exist. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches, fist frustrated} Even if I really had operated the crane… which I didn’t, that would be unrelated to the crime!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} How can it be unrelated when her body was found inside the vault!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} We are looking for the murderer… all other details are meaningless!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} The lack of blood inside the basement proves that we have gotten the basis of the case wrong…

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} And while we are on the subject… why was there no blood on my clothes? 

 

Kôzuke:{Worried} H-Huh?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Well, if I had stabbed her, I should have been sprayed in her blood… and yet, my clothes were spotless. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I had no time nor plausible way to get changed… which creates yet another inconsistency in your accusation. 

 

Reijiro: {Points at Hayato} Face it… you are in over your head… and you have clearly gotten the facts wrong… so why don’t you give up before you embarrass yourself any further

 

 

Damn… that was something alright. 

 

He found two new inconsistencies… and he wants us to go back to square one?

 

I can’t accept that… this is clearly an attempt at getting us to lay off him. 

 

That convinces me even further of his guilt.

 

I should think about his statements one by one… surely there’s a weak point to exploit… somewhere!

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Fusume’s injury → she should have bled out in there.

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU )

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Sorry Reijiro but you won’t get out of this so easily!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I beg your pardon?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Don’t you remember what we discussed earlier on in the trial. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Fusume’s wound was bandaged. That shows that there was an attempt at covering her wound… and therefore keeping her alive!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} I… hadn’t thought about that. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Well… do we know who might have bandaged her stab wound?

 

Hayato: Thinking logically… it has to be either Fusume herself… or the murderer. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} The… murderer? But that makes no sense man! Why would you stab someone and then try to save their life?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} That’s a fair objection… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} It doesn’t really matter who treated her just yet… what matters is that the wound was covered and that

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Hayato: Fusume’s wound had been bandaged… which means it’s normal that there was no blood there!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Is that so?

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} R-Right… we agreed that her wound had been treated by someone!

 

Hayato: {Determined} What killed her was being choked to death… and that could definitely have happened in the basement without a single drop of blood spilled!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Heh… heh…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Are you… laughing?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You’re going to argue against the fact that her injury was bandaged!?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} No… of course not. That is not the issue. 

 

There’s… an issue?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} There was a bandage around her wound… that is correct… but that does not change what I am saying does it? 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} What do you mean?

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Her wound bled… before the bandage was applied, correct?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Well, yes.

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} In fact… I believe that there was quite a lot of dry blood on the bandage… and on her clothes… which seems to indicate she bled out… at least a little bit. 

 

Hayato: Your point being?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} She had to be stabbed… somewhere. Blood must have spilled there and then… and after that the bandage was applied. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} It doesn’t matter that the wound was bandaged… because there should have been blood where she was originally stabbed!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Gnnrk…!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} There was absolutely no way for me to clean any bloodstains… which means the blood should still be there. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} And yet… there were no blood stains to be reported… were there?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} N-Not that I know of…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Which once again begs the question… where was she stabbed? And how does that connect me to this heinous crime!?

 

He… got me again… 

 

I can’t counter any of that… his logic is close to perfect…

Even though he could still be responsible for the final blow… I still have no idea where she was stabbed. 

 

She must have bled out at least a little before the bandages were applied. 

 

And yet… there was no blood in the vault… and no blood in the basement. 

 

So… where in god’s name was she stabbed!?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I am awaiting an answer. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} W-Wait… what’s the question again?

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Where did the stabbing take place?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} If you cannot answer that question… then I fail to see how you could possibly accuse me of murder. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} He’s got a point. If we don’t know such a basic element of the crime… I don’t think we’re close to being ready to make an accusation. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Where was Fusume-chan stabbed…? Is there any evidence that could be utile?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} I n-need to think it through… g-give me a sec!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… we do not have all day. 

 

Fuck!

 

What Reijiro’s saying makes too much sense… we assumed that Fusume was stabbed and strangled in the vault but if that was the case we should have found at least a little blood around her body.

 

So… how does this make any kind of sense?

 

Could it be that she was killed in a completely different location?

 

The timeline would shift completely if that was the case…

 

Unless…

 

The blood on her clothes was dry… which means… 

 

Y-Yes… I’m on the right track here!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I think that some time passed between the moment she was stabbed and her death!

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} You mean… she wasn’t stabbed… and then strangled to finish her off?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} No… the dried blood on the bandages and her clothes seem to indicate that the wound wasn’t fresh… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} I see… and how much time would you say elapsed between the two injuries?

 

This is where it gets complicated.

 

I’m pretty much certain that Fusume was strangled… and therefore killed inside the basement. 

 

I just can’t see someone moving her body from anywhere else without any of us noticing… 

 

Which means we are left with two unknowns in this equation… where and when was she stabbed?

 

I think it’s probably easier to find out the “when” once we’ve understood the “where”.

 

If we follow Reijiro’s logic… Fusume must have bled out at least a little when she was stabbed, which means we should have found blood… somewhere.

 

But… I can’t think of any bloodstains at all in the green building except for…

 

 

(Music : None)

 

C-Could it be… 

 

But… 

 

That’s impossible… and yet it feels like the only sensible explanation… 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Have you finally found something?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} According to your thinking, there should be blood where Fusume was stabbed, which in turn proves that she was not attacked in the basement… right?

 

Reijiro: Yes that is essentially-

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Hayato: {Determined} Then… I know exactly where the stabbing took place!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} … 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Now… this might come as a shock to some of you… but please hear me out okay. 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} You don’t sound too confident Hayato. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} I am, it’s just… what I’ve uncovered might be quite shocking to some of you. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I’ve got a feeling I won’t like what you have to say Hayato-kun. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} T-Tell us already… where was she stabbed!?

 

I’m not sure what this means yet… but the only place where Fusume’s blood could have been hidden… 

 

It’s here!

 

{Infirmary/Gallery/Armoury}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Gallery

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} There’s no doubt about it… Fusume was stabbed in the Gallery!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Ggh…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wh-What!?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} B-But Hayato-kun… that’s where Kenji-kun’s body was found!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} It was Kenji who was killed in the gallery, not Fusume. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Yes I know where Kenji died… but that doesn’t change what I’m saying.

 

Hayato: {Determined} The only room in the entire building in which there were bloodstains is the gallery!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Wasn’t that blood’s Kenji-kun’s?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} We assumed that it was his… and surely some of it definitely came from his head wound…

 

Hayato: {Grinning} But where better to hide a small bloodstain than in a huge puddle of that same liquid!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You have lost your mind!

 

Hayato: Well, do you have any alternative to propose? You’re the one who lifted the inconsistency but you haven’t provided any sort of counter-argument!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Tell me Reijiro… where else could Fusume have been assaulted?

 

Reijiro: {Clenched fist, frustrated} Hnnrgh… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} She was stabbed in the gallery…? But how does that make any sense?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Not only is it the only place she could have possibly bled out… it also gives me a pretty good idea of when exactly she was stabbed!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Wh-When? 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Conveniently… there was one period of time in which Fusume was alone with someone in the gallery… that’s when she was stabbed!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} That time period… could it be?

 

Hayato: It was…

 

{When Reijiro and Fusume discovered the body/During the investigation/During the fire}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: When Reijiro and Fusume discovered the body

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} It was right after Reijiro and Fusume discovered Kenji’s body! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} H-Huh!?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Kenji was dead… and I was unconscious… that leaves two people… Fusume and Reijiro!

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s the only moment that Fusume spent alone with someone inside the gallery!

 

Hayato: She was stabbed in the gallery! That’s why we never found a bloodstain!

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Hayato: {Bitter} You stabbed her Reijiro, you did it right when she-

 

Wait… 

 

N-No… 

 

She was stabbed back when I was unconscious…?

 

But that means…

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Confident} Hayato! Y-you’re up!

 

Hayato: Fusume…?

 

I lifted my head and looked at my surroundings… someone had brought me to the red building’s infirmary… and judging by the fact that she was waiting by my bedside… I’m guessing that someone was Fusume. 

 

W-Wait… if I’m here… that means that they’ve also discovered the body… 

 

This… cannot be good… 

 

If they found Kenji’s corpse then… they must already know that I did it, right? 

 

There’s no point in me denying it… is there?

 

 

Before I could say anything, Fusume jumped out of her chair and pulled me into a very tight hug.

 

Fusume: I was so… worried about you…

 

Hayato: You were?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Of course I was… what do you think?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} After what we found in the gallery… how could I not be. 

 

What they found… huh? Guess I’m pretty much done for…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Please… tell me what happened to you… 

 

Happened… to me?

 

Hayato: Haven’t you reached a conclusion already?

 

Fusume: {finger on lip} No… not quite… that is what the investigation is for. 

 

Hayato: The investigation… w-wait! How long have I been out for!?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} A few hours I’d say… Monokuma agreed to give us a longer investigation period in order to give you time to investigate the crime scene as well!

 

Monokuma wants me to give me time to investigate huh? How ironic… 

 

Then again… of course he would do that.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} I’ve been mainly missing out on the investigation to stay here with you until you’d wake up… which is why I need you to tell me exactly what happened!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato!

 

Hayato: Y-Yes?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Before you leave… there’s one thing you need to keep in mind… something you cannot forget.

 

Hayato: What is it…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You need… to stay alive!

 

Hayato: H-Huh?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} You cannot die in here… you hear me? 

 

Hayato: Why are you telling me this!?

 

Fusume: {Confident} It doesn’t matter why you hear me! Just… promise you’re going to fight for your life.

 

Does she… know?

 

Hayato: I… don’t understand Fusume…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It doesn’t matter if you understand or not… just promise me!

 

Hayato: I… promise. 

 

Fusume: {Genuine smile} Good… that’s all I had to say. Now, go! Make good use of the little time that we’ve got left!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

The little time… we’ve got left?

 

She had already been stabbed when I woke up… and all this time we spent talking… she was dying. 

 

Why didn’t she say anything? 

 

Why… wouldn’t she let me save her…?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hayato-kun… you stopped mid-sentence!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Is something wrong man?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I have just realised… the horrible nature of this crime.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} H-Horrible… nature?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I am convinced that she was stabbed in the time between the discovery of the body and the moment they called the rest of you to help. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} You may realise that this means she was already bleeding out during the investigation… that’s why the blood on her clothes was dry. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} That’s… impossible!

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} She had already been stabbed? But… she looked fine!

 

Jessie: {Sad} Actually… you could clearly see that something was wrong… she was strong so she concealed it as best she could… but she was dying… slowly dying. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Don’t get me wrong… if I find out that you’re behind this… my affection towards you won’t change my vote… 

 

Fusume: {Content} But you’re innocent… I can feel it…

 

I… shouldn’t be deceiving her like that… but… d-dammit…

 

This isn’t the right thing… I know that but… 

 

I’m scared… no, I’m terrified by the idea… of dying… 

 

Fusume: {Pale} …

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Nngh…

 

Hayato: F-Fusume! Are you okay?

 

Fusume: {Shocked} I…

 

Fusume: {Bows} Do forgive me… I’m still not over the fact that Kenji’s… dead…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} He died before we could do anything for him…

 

{Flashback} 

 

She was hurting… she was… dying. 

 

How did I not notice…?

 

How could I be so fucking blind!?

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} Th-That’s horrible man!

 

Hayato: {Bitter} It’s horrible… but it’s the truth. That’s the only moment she could have been stabbed. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} Heh… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} R-Reijiro-kun?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I suppose you are going to say that I did it… correct?

 

How… is he still smiling? 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Of course you did it! You were the only one in there with her!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I see… I shall entertain your… far-fetched theory. However, there are many logical flaws in what you are saying. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Logical… flaws? 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Firstly, you have failed to answer one of my previous queries… namely, why there was not a drop of blood on my clothes!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Using the same logic as before… blood should have been spraying my way after she was stabbed… if blood got on the floor, it should have gotten on me. 

 

Reijiro: I had no opportunity to go back to my room to change… the clothes I wear now are the ones I was wearing then. So how do you explain that lack of blood?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} W-Well…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} That is only the minor problem… the real issue here is… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Reijiro: {Clenched fist, frustrated} Why in god’s name would the victim not say something!?

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Arghh…!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} How can you keep a straight face when spewing out such idiocies!? 

 

Reijiro: You really believe that she was stabbed and then kept her mouth shut for an hour before finally being murdered by the same person who stabbed her!?

 

Reijiro: {Clenched fist, frustrated} That makes absolutely no sense at all! You have gone mad!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} H-Hey… calm down for a sec-

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I have accept your accusations… but this is just foolishness of the highest order!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’m afraid I have to agree with him… again. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Why would she ever keep quiet? She had hundreds of chances to ask her for help… yet she said nothing… and died. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} F-Fusume-chan… would not let herself die like that. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Hayato… there must be an explanation… right? 

 

An explanation?

 

I don’t know it myself… 

 

I could have saved her… if only I had known that she was already dying. 

 

Why didn’t she tell us? And why did she tell me to fight for my life. 

 

She knew she was going to die… and she said nothing. 

 

I don’t understand… 

 

But… there must be some reason. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} … 

 

He obviously killed her… there’s no doubt about it anymore. 

 

And if that’s the case, then there’s got to be some explanation behind these inconsistencies. 

 

Why did you keep quiet Fusume?

 

Help me here…

 

I need to think things through… one more time… 

 

F-Fuck… 

 

I must find something… some explanation. 

 

Think Hayato dammit… think!

 

===

 

LOGIC DIVE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP7r1TVINsg



Q1: When exactly was Fusume stabbed? 

{Before the others found Kenji’s body/After everyone left/In the middle of the investigation}

 

 

 

Answer: Before the others found the body



Q2:  Who was the only conscious person in the room with Fusume at the time?

{Hayato/Kenji/Reijiro}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Reijiro



Q3: What reason could Fusume have not to tell us the truth?

 

{She didn’t know that she was dying/She wanted to die/She was working with her killer}

 

 

 

 

Answer: She was working with her killer



Q4: What evidence backs that theory up?

 

{Fusume’s injury/Remote fire starters/80th class file}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Remote fire starters

 

===

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 )

 

Hayato: {Determined} There’s only one possible answer… Reijiro and Fusume were working together!

 

Reijiro: {Clenched fist, frustrated expression} …

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} Wh-Wh-WHAT!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} D-Did you say… work together!?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} But… Fusume was the victim… why would she collaborate with… her killer?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I don’t know why she did it… but once you consider that possibility, everything else seems to fall into place!

 

Hayato: {Bitter} She kept her mouth shut despite the fact that she was bleeding out… she made sure to tell us all that Reijiro and her were together at all times… 

 

Hayato: In reality… she hid her wound from us to keep Reijiro safe… and she likely bandaged it in order to keep herself alive for as long as possible.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You have no proof-

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I do… actually. The remote fire starters. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} F-Fire… starters?

 

Hayato: We talked about it just now… how it seemed convenient that the fire was the perfect distraction for Reijiro to rotate the safe…

 

Hayato: {Determined} This also solves that problem! Reijiro didn’t even have to know about the fire starters! Fusume started that fire just like we thought! 

 

Hayato: It was no coincidence… it was a carefully coordinated plan between victim and blackened… in other words between Reijiro and Fusume!

 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I can’t believe it…

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} She was… helping him?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… your imagination certainly is impressive

 

He’s… still not going to admit it? 

 

In fact… it looks like he really doesn’t care at all about anything which I’ve just said… 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} There was no reason at all for her to collaborate with her assassin… it is easy to make assumptions… but much harder to prove their soundness. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} The fact I don’t know why she’d do it doesn’t mean she didn’t do it does it?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Perhaps… but even if for some ridiculous reason she did something so foolish… you still have not explained why I had no blood on my clothes. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I… I had forgotten about that. 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Your story is nothing but conjecture… yet you have managed to give a semi-logical explanation to all my objections. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} It’s impressive I will give you that… but it’s not enough. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And now you are faced with a problem to which you will find no answer for. 

 

Reijiro: It was simply impossible for me to stab her without getting my clothes dirty… yet, here I am with the exact same outfit. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I dare you to find a drop of blood on there!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Ahhhhh!!!!

 

 

 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I think this farce has gone on long enough. 

 

I… can’t find anything to contradict what he’s just said. 

 

Judging by her wound, blood clearly would have sprayed towards her assassin… yet Reijrio’s suit is impeccably clean. 

 

That’s a crucial contradiction… one I have no answer for… 

 

I’m racking my brain… and I can’t find anything. 

 

There’s no evidence of any sort of protection being used. 

 

If only there were more Monokuma Ponchos like the ones Yoshi used back then… 

 

But no… there’s absolutely nothing that I can think of. 

 

His clothes… exonerate him completely… and I can’t get out of this…

 

F-FUCK!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Now… I believe I have made clear that it was impossible for me to be behind the stabbing… which means this entire narrative crumbles down with it. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} There is no evidence that I moved the vault, or that I strangled her, that I set the evidence locker on fire… that we worked together… 

 

Reijiro: All that is nothing but speculation… and we have spent sufficient time entertaining your delusions! We need to get back to the actual trial… now!

 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} …

 

I’ve lost. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I… suppose that the matter is settled. Reijiro has been proved innocent. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} He’s been proved innocent of stabbing her… but please remember that it was the choking that killed her!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} That is true… but anybody could have strangled her… there is no real proof against me. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Furthermore… is it not more logical to assume that the person who stabbed her is the true blackened?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I fail to see how there could be two different attackers in this case… 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I thought we were getting somewhere man… d-dammit. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} W-Wait… if it wasn’t Reijiro then… who could have stabbed her in the gallery? The rest of us all have alibis for that time period right?

 

Kozuke: Jessie and myself were proved innocent… Shinto and Hikari were together and… the other two weren’t conscious!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} I guess that it could have happened at another time… maybe during the investigation. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Stabbing her… during the investigation… inside the crime scene? That would be horribly risky. 

 

Hikari: The chances of somebody walking in would be huge!

 

Reijiro: {Smug} And yet… I see no alternative… nobody could have attacked her when we discovered the body… that much is certain. 

 

What is there to say?

 

Reijiro is running away with the ball… and it’s too late for me to catch back up to him. 

 

He’s introducing a new timeline… one which messes up everything I’ve worked towards. 

 

I won’t believe that she was stabbed during the investigation… it must have been back when Kenji’s body was found. 

 

If only there was another possibility-

 

(Music : None) 

 

H-Hold on… what Kôzuke just said… he said… 

 

Everybody had an alibi… Reijiro couldn’t have stabbed her and I know that I didn’t do it. 

 

But… there’s one more person… 

 

That person… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU)

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} What is it now!?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Hayato-kun…?

 

Hayato: I finally understand… but this means… n-no… that’s impossible. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} What is it? What did you just figure out?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} This won’t be good for my headache…

 

There’s no giving up now… but the implications of what I’m about to say… it’s going to turn this entire case on its head. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} There’s only one person who could have stabbed Fusume.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Nonsense… you will do nothing but speculate-

 

Hayato: {Bitter} I have proof… I can prove this. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Is that so…? Then please, impress me. 

 

I’d like to see you make that smug expression once I reveal the truth. 

 

This truth… contradicts everything I thought I knew… but it’s the only way to explain all the contradictions. 

 

Everybody but Reijiro had an alibi for Fusume’s stabbing… but his clothes innocent him. 

 

Which means… there’s only one person who could have done it… and one piece of evidence which I failed to understand until now… 

 

Hayato: I’ll prove it with this! 



SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Blood on Kenji’s hand

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Here goes nothing…

 

Hayato: {Determined} The person who stabbed Fusume… was Kenji!

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} Hnngh…!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Wh-What!!!?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} K-Kenji…?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} That’s it, we lost him… are you feeling okay Hayato-kun?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I feel just fine… like someone who’s about to finally uncover the truth behind this murder! 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Kenji… is the victim. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I’m aware… but there was one thing that was bothering me until now… one piece of evidence in particular. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hey… that’s odd…

 

His right hand is covered in blood even though it’s laying outside of the pool of blood… 

 

Maybe I’m overthinking it… but this feels weird. I don’t remember him touching his wound after I hit him so… how did this blood get there?

 

I’m sure there must be a logical explanation to this… I just have to figure out what it is…

 

I’ll keep it in mind for now… 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} That bloodstain on Kenji’s hand… shouldn’t have been there. 

 

Hayato: He fell down after I hit him… and didn’t move a muscle from that point on… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Fusume’s autopsy revealed that death was close to instantaneous… which means that Kenji shouldn’t have moved after that!

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Exactly… and yet, his right sleeve and arm were covered in blood… and I couldn’t figure out why… but now I’ve got it!

 

Hayato: {Determined} The blood got there when he stabbed Fusume! It’s Fusume’s blood, not his!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} We thought that it was his because of how much his wound bled out… but in reality that blood shouldn’t have been here if it was simply his!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You… you are insane. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s the only possible explanation Reijiro! Nobody other than Kenji could have done it!

 

Hayato: Once we eliminate everybody with an alibi and you, only Kenji and I are left as options!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} And why couldn’t it be you Hayato-kun!?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} For the same reason that it can’t be Reijiro… Hayato’s clothes are clean. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Th-That does only leave Kenji. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Our first victim stabbed the second victim… that’s the truth of this matter. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} But… w-wait. when exactly did this happen Hayato…?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Don’t you realise that… that… 

 

When did he stab her…?

 

We’ve already established that… it must have been:

 

{Before I hit Kenji/After I hit Kenji/During the investigation}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: After I hit Kenji. 

 

===

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I was already unconscious when it happened… which means that it must have been after I hit Kenji!

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} Grrnnhg…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} After… you hit him…?

 

The pieces of the puzzle are coming together at last… the unbelievable truth of this case has finally appeared before us. 

 

Hayato: Yes… that’s the truth. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} But… it means he was still alive… after you hit him… 

 

Hayato: That’s right… this proves one thing… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50yShkEarT4 )

 

Hayato: {Determined} I didn’t kill Kenji! 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} WHAAAAAAAAAAT!?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} That’s impossible!!!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I knew it…!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} That is… that is… 

 

He finally lost his composure

 

I can’t believe it… but the evidence lead me here… it must be true. 

 

All the guilt… all the stress… the anxiety. 

 

That disgusting feeling of having stolen someone’s life.

 

It was all… a lie. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

I cannot confess under these circumstances… I need to wait and see how everybody plays their cards. 

 

There’s only six of us left… which means that one of the other five is that heartless blackened.

 

 

They will try to trick us… and manipulate us towards a faulty verdict. 

 

If that person wins… we all die. 

 

My life doesn’t really have any value anymore… I will be executed regardless for my crime… 

 

That’s why… I have to fight for the others… if my death is certain, I should at least try to help them survive. 

 

If I confess… they’ll lose all faith in me and I won’t be able to help. 

 

That’s why I’ll need to keep myself off the radar while trying to figure out who the other blackened is. 

 

This trial… will be blackened against blackened. 

 

Only one of us can win… 

 

It has to be me… 

 

I might not be prepared evidence wise… but I won’t accept failure. 

 

I’ll avenge Fusume… no matter what it takes… no matter what I have to do. 

 

In a situation such as mine, I’ll have… to play dirty. 

 

That’s right… I’m a blackened, I’m evil. That’s why I won’t be fighting fair and square. 

 

This will be my hardest trial yet… playing both the defensive and the offensive side at once will certainly be a challenge.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

None of it was real… I was manipulated from start to finish. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} I really thought that I was the blackened… I had no way of knowing that I hadn’t killed him… he fell dead in front of me… and I passed out straight after that. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} And yet… he wasn’t dead… he got up after I hit him… and he stabbed Fusume!

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} I can’t believe this… 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Hayato-kun… didn’t kill him?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} If Kenji stabbed Fusume… then he must have been alive after Hayato passed out… which means… he 100% wasn’t dead! 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} B-But… why would he attack Fusume? How does that make any sense man!?

 

Hayato: {Holds chins} I think that I can explain it… 

 

{Black and white frame of Fusume and Reijiro entering the Gallery with Hayato and Kenji’s bodies in opposite corners} 

 

Hayato: Fusume and Reijiro found the two of us… Kenji was lying in a pool of blood which means it was natural for them to think that he was dead.

 

Hayato: That’s why… they let their guard down!

 

{Black and white frame of Kenji jumping out at Fusume, knife in hand} 

 

Hayato: He just came back from the dead and… he was so determined to kill me… mix that with the blood loss and the adrenaline…

 

Hayato: He probably attacked the first person he saw… in a last ditch effort at achieving his goal. 

 

Hayato: She got close to him to take his pulse… or to check his vitals… and he stabbed her… with the knife that had been intended for me. 

 

{Black and white frame of Reijiro operating the crane} 

 

Hayato: However… that doesn’t change my initial theory… I still believe that Reijiro killed her!

 

Hayato: As we know… her stab wound was bandaged… but she likely lost a lot of blood… and without proper medical treatment she would have died either way. 

 

Hayato: That’s why Reijiro finished her off… to spare her from any more suffering!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s the truth of this case… the truth of how Reijiro Yamane murdered Fusume!

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} The two of you were unlucky enough to be attacked by Kenji… but the stab wound didn’t kill her… and as we’ve already concluded earlier, the person who put her body in that vault… and who strangled her to death… it must have been you!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} It was Kenji… he was behind everything… he did end up killing someone. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Even though he didn’t really kill her… if he stabbed Fusume then he’s entirely responsible for her death… 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Please wait… just another moment… 

 

Hayato: Jessie?

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} I’m okay with… just about everything you’ve just said… but there’s one problem with it all. 

 

Jessie: If you didn’t kill Kenji-kun then… who did?

 

Yes… I’ve been asking myself that too… 

 

There must be another blackened… someone who manipulated this entire situation to frame me… and who murdered Kenji after he had stabbed Fusume. 

 

I have my suspicions… but no evidence. 

 

Reijiro’s right… in this court, I’ll get nowhere without proof. 

 

But… I can’t fail so close to the finish line… 

 

I might… actually live!

 

I had finally accepted the idea of dying… I was at peace with myself for what happened… but… if I’m truly innocent… I could get out of here alive!

 

There’s no way I’m letting that chance go… which means I have to figure out who truly killed Kenji.

 

Yet… how can I do it without evidence?

 

How can I convince them all?

 

If only there was a way…

 

 

N-No… those words… Fusume…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} You can go too Hayato you know… 

 

Hayato: After everything you’ve done… are you sure you don’t want to sleep? I can watch over them for you!

 

Fusume: {Confident} No, no… it’s quite alright. I don’t mind it. 

 

Fusume: {Content} Truth is, you look exhausted yourself. You should go back to bed. 

 

Hayato: You sure?

 

Fusume: {Confident} Positive. 

 

Well… if she says so… 

 

… 

 

Fusume: {Finger on lip} Something’s on your mind… what is it?

 

Hayato: I just wish… I could be more helpful… 

 

Fusume: {Hurt} What… what are you talking about?

 

Hayato: You and Reijiro put so much pressure on yourselves… and now that Reijiro’s incapacitated… I feel like all the pressure’s on you. 

 

Hayato: If only… I could help you through this all… help all of us. If only I was stronger.

 

Fusume: {Hurt} … 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} “If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world”. 

 

Fusume: That was my mentor’s favorite quote. 

 

Hayato: Your mentor…?

 

That’s the first time I hear about them. 

 

Hayato: Isn’t that… quite a sad quote though?

 

Fusume: {Confident} No… the way I see it, this quote is full of hope. Thinking like you’re thinking and looking back with regrets is building an emotional rampart that will stop you from going forward. 

 

Fusume: {Softly} Don’t say if only… be proud of the things you’ve done… they’re the choices which brought you this far. 

 

Fusume: {Meditating} We wouldn’t be alive without you Hayato… you helped us through both trials massively. 

 

Fusume: {Confident} So be proud… and look forward instead of backwards… got it?

 

Hayato: I… I… yes, you’re right. I shouldn’t be lamenting on the situation… I should focus on finding a way out and a way to save Reijiro. 

 

Fusume: {Content} That’s more like it. Now go get some rest. Tomorrow will be an important day. 

 

Hayato: V-Very well… thank you for this Fusume… 

 

Fusume: {Softly} I’m here for you Hayato… always. 

 

Fusume…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Dammit… why did she have to die…!?

 

I… won’t forgive… that person… 

 

I’ll… use her words to fuel my argument. 

 

There’s no use in weeping… I need to get this case over with… I need to win… for Fusume. 

 

I’ll have no regrets… and for that I need to give this my all… 

 

This is it…

 

The final fight… 

 

And this time… I will not lose!

 

AFTERWORD BEGINS

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP7r1TVINsg )

 

Q1: What weapon was used to kill Kenji?

{Trophy/Trident/Knife}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Trophy



Q2: How many times was he really hit on the head?

{1/2/3}

 

 

 

 

Answer: 2



Q3: When was he actually killed?

{When I hit him on the head/Before Fusume and Reijiro entered the gallery/After Fusume and Reijiro entered the gallery}

 

 

 

 

Answer: After Fusume and Reijiro entered the gallery

===

I couldn’t have killed Kenji… because he was clearly alive after I hit him. 

 

Yet the Monokuma file still states that he was hit on the head with a blunt object. 

 

That leads me to think that somebody hit him with the trophy one more time after I lost consciousness. 

 

The real blackened struck him in self-defense after Kenji attacked Fusume… that’s what makes most sense. 

 

Still… I’m missing something… 

 

I need to go deeper!

 

AFTERWORD RESUMES

 

Q4: When was Fusume really stabbed? 

{Before Reijiro and Fusume entered the gallery/When Reijiro and Fusume discovered Kenji’s body/After Reijiro and Fusume left the gallery} 

 

 

 

 

Answer: When Reijiro and Fusume discovered Kenji’s body



Q5: After Kenji stabbed her, who could have treated Fusume’s wound? 

{Hikari/Jessie/Reijiro}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Reijiro

 

===

 

Fusume’s wound was in a difficult place for her to reach… and she was likely weakened by the blood loss which means that somebody else had to treat her wound. 

 

The only person I can think of is Reijiro… he bandaged Fusume’s wounds while the two of them were alone in the Gallery.

 

Since the BDA didn’t go off, they could take as much time as they wanted before getting the others… that’s the factor which made this entire crime possible…

 

Which means… there's one outcome left… one suspect who ticks all the boxes. 

 

FINAL QUESTION

 

Q6: Considering everything, who killed Kenji?

{Hayato/Fusume/Reijiro}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Reijiro

 

… 

 

CONCLUSION : REIJIRO KILLED BOTH FUSUME AND KENJI

 

{BREAK}



That’s it… 

 

I’ve finally made it… Fusume… I figured out the truth behind your death… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} There’s only one possible answer to that question Jessie… 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Not only did Reijiro kill Fusume… but he’s also the only person who could have killed Kenji. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Hayato: You’ve been pulling the strings this entire time… you even managed to convince me that I was guilty of your crime… but no more will that stand. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Both victims… were slain by one man… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Reijiro Yamane… you are the true blackened in this case!

 

TO BE CONTINUED 






 


























Notes:

What a twist! We couldn't have our protag die could we?

The battle is far from being won, but Hayato just might have managed to save his life in spectacular fashion I'm very curious to hear if that reveal shocked you at all, so please, leave your thoughts in the comments!

Next update will be the Chapter 5 Finale and the stakes are higher than ever. I hope you're excited for that.

As usual, thanks a ton for reading and for sticking to DR : AD for almost 3 years and see you in the next one ;)

Chapter 63: Chapter 5 : Monokuma Presents "The Greatest Heist" : Class Trial part 5

Notes:

One day late! Sorry about that!

Here's the chapter 5 finale!

Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoh-Z_TS_xE )

 

Jessie: {Shocked} H-Hayato-kun… is innocent!? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} … 

 

Hayato: {Determined} You’re the sole blackened of this case Reijiro!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} This entire trial was built around the fact that I had killed Kenji… but knowing what we know that just cannot be the case anymore!

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Kenji survived the first blow… he stabbed Fusume before Reijiro hit him once more… ending his life once and for all. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Then… Fusume’s wounds were bandaged… and for some reason that still isn’t clear to me… she kept quiet about the whole affair and lied to protect Reijiro. 

 

Hayato: Then… she set the evidence locker on fire to create a distraction before Reijiro finished her off in the basement. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s the truth of this case! 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I-Impossible…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} R-Reijiro… killed them both?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} If Fusume’s testimony isn’t to be trusted… then he doesn’t have an alibi for Kenji’s murder anymore.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} And since Kenji had to be killed by someone other than Hayato… it has to be either Reijiro or Fusume. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} But… if we consider the fact that Fusume had just been stabbed and was quite severely injured… only Reijiro remains. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} That… doesn’t look too good for Reijiro man… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} …

 

Jessie: {Sad} R-Reijiro-kun… say something please. 

 

That’s right… he’s been completely quiet ever since I dropped the Kenji accusation. 

 

His reaction must mean that I’ve hit a nerve. He didn’t expect to be caught for Kenji’s murder… his plan is crumbling down… finally. 

 

Reijiro: {Rubs eye, sad expression} Not only do you think me capable of taking the life of the person I was closest to here… but now you also accuse me of a double murder?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You… really believe that this will be enough?

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} E-Enough for… what?

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} To get yourself the hook… I knew we should have executed you when we had the chance. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} W-Wait… what?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} It is just like I predicted… you were always going to use this opportunity to get us to change our vote. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Y-You mean… Hayato’s just trying to manipulate us?

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Hold on… I’m not manipulating anyone! Reijiro really did kill Kenji?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} What is more likely in your eyes…? That a known murderer would want to stick around in order to get justice for our fallen classmate… or to get us to change our vote? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} His plan was always to betray us… that is how a blackened student would act. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} You saw how desperately other blackened students fought for their lives? 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} By accusing me of his crime… that is exactly what he is doing!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} No… that’s not true…

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} B-But… he… wouldn’t?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Like you said… our classmates were desperate to get out of their execution… but Hayato’s been so analytical and logical in his explanations… 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} I just don’t see desperation in how he’s acting!

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Heh… that is simply because we are dealing with a much tougher killer. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} What!?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} He has led every single trial has he not? He is smart enough to know that panicking would never work… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Which is exactly why he’s using the same tactics as usual!

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} …

 

What the hell is he talking about!?

 

I’m not using… tactics… this is the truth!

 

He’s managed to turn it around on me once again… 

 

I need to find a rebuttal… quickly. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I could say the exact same to you Reijiro. 

 

Reijiro: I beg your pardon?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Deferring an accusation to survive the class trial… isn’t that exactly what you’re doing?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… I see… however, our situations cannot be compared?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Why not?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Because he is a known murderer… he has already admitted to killing someone! And now he has changed his story to accuse me!

 

Reijiro: {Clenched fist, frustrated} How is that anything but a desperate tactic!?

 

Hayato: {Bitter} It’s nothing like that Reijiro… I’ve only followed what the evidence was telling us… I haven’t been manipulating anything!

 

Reijiro: Or so you claim… but in reality your entire theory is speculation at best… based on circumstantial evidence… or based on your own delusional fantasies

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} That’s just not true… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You were stretching it with accusations on the secondd murder… but regarding the first… you have shown absolutely no evidence at all!

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} No evidence that he was not killed by the first blow… no evidence that he stabbed her… no evidence that I tended her wounds and no evidence that I killed him!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Face it! Your entire theory is based on absolutely nothing!

 

N-No… No… N-N-N

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} AHHHHHHH!!!

 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Without any actual evidence… it’s going to be difficult to conclusively say if Reijiro really killed either of them. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Well… how about the blood on Kenji’s hand…? Isn’t that proof that he stabbed Fusume?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} It could very much be his own blood… his hand could have been dipped in the puddle by the true culprit in order to frame someone else. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} There really isn’t any real evidence against him  man… Hayato’s theory made sense… but he hasn’t proved it.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} And if we can’t prove Reijiro-kun’s guilt… then we must go back to our initial position… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Hayato-kun’s the blackened. 

 

No… I can’t let this all go to waste. 

 

I’m fine with dying if I really killed him… but I didn’t… Reijiro’s manipulating this entire situation! 

 

I can’t let him win… not when we’re this close to the truth

Hayato: {Bitter} Reijiro! This isn’t over!

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Huh!?

 

Hayato: {Determined} I will prove that you killed them both… one way or another!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You just do not know when to give up do you?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I won’t stop… until we’ve reached the truth!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Is it me… or is it getting kinda hot in here?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} It’s… really intense for sure. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You do not know when to quit… we can see through your lies… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You will pay for what you have done!

 

Hayato: We’ll see about that.

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I suppose that we will… but for now…

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Let me crush your logic once and for all!

 

This is it… he finally showed signs of weakness… which means I’ve figured out what happened. 

 

He might be able to argue his way out of it until I’ve proved it… but I won’t let that last. 

 

I’ll find the evidence I’m missing… and finally prove his guilt. 

 

I’d like to see him argue out of that one!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t )

 

{Truth Bullets : Fusume’s injuries, Trophy’s head, Caspian’s cape, Monokuma File #5, Blood on Kenji’s hand}

 

Reijiro: {Smug} You have spent a good part of the trial accusing me of two different crimes… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} However, you have presented no conclusive evidence of my guilt for either murder!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I b-beg to differ… there definitely is evidence that connects you to Fusume’s murder. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… I suppose that you could argue that there is… and I will prove those accusations wrong in due time… but that is not the murder that preocupies me the most… 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} There is not a shred of evidence that I killed the first victim… 

 

Reijiro: {Points at Hayato} No evidence that you did not kill him like you first told us…

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist frustrated} And no evidence that the scene was interfered with after you… “passed out” 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Is there really… no evidence at all?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} If Hayato’s theory is correct… the two of them would have had all the time in the world to tamper with the evidence before calling us over. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Perhaps… but there is no proof that we did that is there?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} This entire “no evidence” schtick is getting a bit tedious Reijiro!

 

Reijiro: {Bows} I do apologize if my logic has gotten on your nerves… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} But… this is the way a class trial functions. I will not accept any of your points without evidence.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} And just means you should admit defeat and move on… because there is nothing you can do to win here

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Mmph… the matter is settled

 

 

That… pompous little… 

 

No… stay calm Hayato. He’s clearly trying to rattle me. 

 

I won’t fall for it… especially since… 

 

I’ve finally found the way to end this trial… 

 

Let’s see how smug he acts when I present that piece of evidence. 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Trophy’s head → no evidence that the scene was interfered with

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 )

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You want evidence Reijiro… I guess you’re in luck. 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… you are bluffing of course. 

 

Hayato: If only… but no. I have evidence of your guilt… and I will prove that you killed both Kenji and Fusume… right now!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} … 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Hayato… you’ve… finally figured it out?

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Reijiro-kun… really did it? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Do not fall for his cheap tricks… such evidence does not exist. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I mean… I gave a real good look to both crime scenes… and I didn’t find much that incriminated Reijiro. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} I would have never suspected him if you hadn’t done so first Hayato. 

 

Reijiro: As I said… such evidence does not exist. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} I wouldn’t be so confident if I were you. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You mean to say that… you’ve found evidence that might prove Reijiro’s guilt!?

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} No… I haven’t. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Wait what!?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Hayato… why are you smiling when you say that?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} We’ve lost him… I think we’ve lost him completely. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} As expected-

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} No, you don’t get it. The fact that I don’t have evidence… is the proof we’re looking for. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} De quoi parle-t-il…?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} You’ve lost me man… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} What I mean is this… there is a piece of evidence that should have been there… in the gallery… but we never found it. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} That… should have been there? 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} You are… merely bluffing. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Tell us Hayato… what are you talking about exactly?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It’s the murder weapon… the trophy in Kyia’s effigy. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} That trophy was found next to the body… where it should have been. What is your point? 

 

Hayato: Hold your horses Reijiro… I’m getting there. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} You see… I couldn’t help but notice that something was off when I first investigated the crime scene. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

The murder weapon’s lying a feet or so away from the corpse… a bronze trophy in Kyia’s effigy… I remember seeing it exposed upon first visiting this room…

 

This trophy became involved by pure chance… I was cornered and it was the first object that I found to defend myself. 

 

Still… it’s pretty ironic… Kyia’s been used to murder someone the exact same way he was killed all those days ago… 

 

I’m sorry Kyia… for damaging this award… it’s covered in blood now and… by that fact alone I doubt he’d be too interested in getting it back

 

H-Hey! Now that I look at it more closely… it looks like…

 

{Close-up on the trophy}

 

That’s right… Kyia’s head is missing… it looks like it broke off… probably happened on impact. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Did it roll off or something?

 

 

 

 

No… I’ve basically looked everywhere close to the body… that head is nowhere to be found….

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} The head… was gone? 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} That’s not too surprising is it? It’s quite a thin trophy, it could have easily been knocked away on impact. 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Yes… that’s also what I thought… the problem is that the head was nowhere to be found at the crime scene!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-Nowhere… to be found?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I certainly didn’t see it… and I was pretty thorough in my investigation. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Neither did I… 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} … 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… that’s your killer blow? A part of the murder weapon disappeared?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Anybody could have taken it during the investigation… you investigated the crime scene after the rest of us did you not?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I’m afraid it’s not that simple. 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The trophy wasn’t missing its head when I last saw it… which means it most likely fell when Kenji was hit… either by me or by the true culprit. 

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Should I reiterate that there is no proof that he was hit a second time?

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Just… shut up and listen Reijiro. 


Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} … 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} If it fell on impact… then logically it should be covered in blood.

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Maybe so… but we still don’t know where it is do we…? So how does that help us-

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Don’t worry about that, I know exactly where the head is. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} N-Nonsense…

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Y-You… you… it… it’s all because of you… 

 

Because of me…? Why would he say that?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} How… could you possibly know that Hayato-kun?

 

Right… I can’t get distracted.

 

Hayato: It’s simple… judging by everything that we know… there’s only one place where the trophy’s head could really be.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Then… tell us where it is already!

 

That’s it… the key to ending this trial and proving Reijiro’s guilt… finally. 

 

I can’t mess up now…

 

Thinking about it logically… the trophy’s head… it must be right here:

 

{On Fusume’s body/In Reijiro’s possession/In Hayato’s possession}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: In Reijiro’s possession 

 

===

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoh-Z_TS_xE )

 

Hayato: The answer is simple… the trophy is right here in this very courtroom…

 

Hayato: {Determined} Reijiro has it on his person right now! 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Hnngh… 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} Wh-WHAAAAAAAT!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} You can’t be serious…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Here’s what I believe… Reijiro noticed that the head had been broken off after killing Kenji… if it was broken after the second blow, that would create an inconsistency… 

 

Hayato: If I noticed that the head had been broken after I had used it… then it would encourage me to believe that Kenji was indeed hit a second time… especially if it was covered in blood… which it was. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} So he hid it on his person… because that was the only place he could hide it at the time. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} … 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} B-But Hayato-kun… why wouldn’t he have just dropped it off somewhere?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} It would be quite risky to just… keep it… we’d immediately suspect him if we had found it on him man. 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Well, the reason he kept it is simple… he told us so himself just a few moments ago. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I see… I shall entertain your… far-fetched theory. However, there are many logical flaws in what you are saying. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Logical… flaws? 

 

Reijiro: {Condescending look} Firstly, you have failed to answer one of my previous queries… namely, why there was not a drop of blood on my clothes!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Using the same logic as before… blood should have been spraying my way after she was stabbed… if blood got on the floor, it should have gotten on me. 

 

Reijiro: I had no opportunity to go back to my room to change… the clothes I wear now are the ones I was wearing then. So how do you explain that lack of blood?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Reijiro had no opportunity to get changed… which also means he had no opportunity to conceal the items he had taken from the crime scene!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Which is why I believe that he still has them on him… right now. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} W-Wait… items plural? You mean there’s something other than the trophy’s head?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Yes… there is. 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} …

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} If we had kept it at that… Reijiro would have argued that he simply picked it up for some curious reason but that it doesn’t prove his guilt. 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} So just in case you have yet another defense… the following should finish this off.

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} What… could it be? 

 

There is one more piece of evidence that vanished from the scene… and which Reijiro had every reason to hide. 

 

If my logic is correct… he should still have the piece of evidence on him as we speak. 

 

This will be the final nail in the coffin.

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Kenji’s knife

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: The other item that was missing from the crime scene… was the knife that Kenji attacked me with. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kenji: {Maniacal laugh} I need to get… that safe open…

 

Hayato: K-Kenji… what are you saying?

 

Kenji: {Pulls out knife, deranged expression} It’s nothing personal… Hayadog. 

 

Hayato: Kenji… no!

 

Kenji: You’re always the one who figures out who did it… and I can’t die in here… so you have to go… so that I can finally escape. 

 

Hayato: Y-You don’t have to do this!

 

Kenji: {Pulls out knife, deranged expression} I do… I… d-do… I DO!!! 

 

Without another word, Kenji lunged at me, knife in hand. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Hey that’s right… I don’t remember seeing that knife around at all… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Could it also be… the knife that was used to stab Fusume?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You bet!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Kenji used the weapon that was closest to him to try to kill Fusume… what better than the knife which was already in his hand!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} …

 

Hayato: However… Kenji didn’t stab me… which means that there shouldn’t have been any blood on the blade.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} If the knife was bloody… we would know that something else had happened in the gallery… which would have been a real problem for the blackened.

 

Hayato: After all, his entire plan was based on the assumption that I had killed Kenji… and that nothing else had happened in the gallery. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} The blackened had no choice but to hide the two items which would make his entire story crumbled down… the two pieces of evidence that prove that I didn’t kill Kenji… that he was still alive when I passed out. 

 

Hayato: I sure as hell couldn’t have hidden them myself… but there is one person who had means and opportunity… who had every reason to do so… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} And that person is you, Reijiro Yamane!

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} You’ve let me believe that I was a murderer for the entire trial… but no more. If you’re really innocent, empty your pockets for us now… I’ve got a good idea of what we’re going to find there though. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} So go ahead Reijiro… prove me wrong… I dare you!

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Hngh…!!!

 

 

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} So… is that it? Is it over?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Reijiro-kun… hasn’t really said anything has he? 

 

Reijiro: … 

 

His reaction… something… still isn’t right. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} He doesn’t have to… if we just look inside his pockets… we’ll likely find the head and the knife… and it’ll be all over then. 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} F-Fuck… 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

That look in his eyes… he looks pained…

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} …

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} I still don’t get it… why would Fusume-chan go along with such a plan? 

 

Jessie: {Pulls on hair, desperate} Reijiro… killed two people… and she could have stopped that… why didn’t she do it?

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Why did she just… let herself die?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} … 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I believe that I can answer that question for you Jessie. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} … 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Hayato… you mean that you know why Fusume did what she did?

 

Hayato: Yes… I think so. I can tell you all why she sacrificed herself. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Even you Reijiro… because I think that if you accept this fact… you might finally let go. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} … 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Will explaining it get him to speak?

 

Hayato: I can only speculate… but Reijiro still hasn’t admitted his guilt despite the evidence… I hope that this will be enough to make him open up to us. 

 

Reijiro: {Frustrated, clenches fist} Ghhnhgn… 

 

He’s… hurting… 

 

That’s the truth I’ve been missing.

 

Why he hasn’t said a word… since I’ve presented the final proof. 

 

Could it be… 

 

Did she make him do it?

 

Could that be… why he’s been acting this way… why he’s so angry with me. 

 

He’s still not at peace… that’s why he won’t say anything. 

 

That’s also why he blames me for what happened… I think I’m starting to understand what this all means. 

 

He… has an amazing way with words, that’s how he managed to argue his way out of every single accusation… but he knows that his back is to the wall. 

 

There’s nothing left for him to say… but he’s too angry to admit that he lost. 

 

Maybe… just maybe… if I manage to show him why Fusume did what she did… he’ll finally let go. 

 

It’s worth a try at least. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} With this… let this trial be over… I believe that the reason that Fusume did all those things today… is quite simple. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Let me show you… Reijiro!

 

PANIC(?) TALK ACTION

 

BEGIN

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

Reijiro: {Glare} …

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Hggh…

 

Reijiro: {Points at Hayato} You… you…

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Hngh…!

 

Reijiro: {Rubs eye, Sad expression} … 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Y-You…!

 

Reijiro: {Rubs eye, Sad expression} Fusume… 

 

FINAL STRIKE

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} … 

 

WANTED

PROTECT ME

FUSUME

TO

 

===

 

 

 

 

Solution : Fusume wanted to protect me

 

=== 

 

Hayato: {Closeup on face} IT’S OVER FOR YOU

 

… 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Reijiro… you know the truth don’t you.

 

Hayato: {Bitter} If Fusume did all this… it was for me wasn’t it? 

 

Reijiro: {Sad expression, rubs eye} N-No… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} F-For you!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’m confused… how was any of what she did for you?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} …

 

Jessie: {Sad} Hayato-kun? 

 

So… that’s what she meant… when she told me that… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato!

 

Hayato: Y-Yes?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Before you leave… there’s one thing you need to keep in mind… something you cannot forget.

 

Hayato: What is it…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You need… to stay alive!

 

Hayato: H-Huh?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} You cannot die in here… you hear me? 

 

Hayato: Why are you telling me this!?

 

Fusume: {Confident} It doesn’t matter why you hear me! Just… promise you’re going to fight for your life.

 

Does she… know?

 

Hayato: I… don’t understand Fusume…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It doesn’t matter if you understand or not… just promise me!

 

Hayato: I… promise. 

 

Fusume: {Genuine smile} Good… that’s all I had to say. Now, go! Make good use of the little time that we’ve got left!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} She let herself die… to protect me. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} You keep on saying that but you still haven’t explained how that works! Just make it clear for us will you?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} If she hadn’t died… and there was only one victim then I’d have no reason to go through this trial… 

 

Hayato: If I was the only blackened… I would have just confessed my crime… and died for it. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} But… she died… and therefore I didn’t say anything because I couldn’t die without bringing her blackened to justice… and we figured out the truth because of it. 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} If she hadn’t died… we would have lost the trial… and none of us would have survived. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} N-No… 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} She… d-died… for that!?

 

Fusume told me I had to fight for my survival… because she knew I was innocent… if I just gave up and accepted my guilt… not only would I have died… but all of the others would have been executed along with me. 

 

She was warning me… that I couldn’t accept my fate… that’s what it meant. 

 

If only… I understood it sooner… maybe she wouldn’t have had to sacrifice herself… 

 

She died… because of my own foolishness… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Hold on, that makes no sense at all!

 

Reijiro: {Glare} … 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} If her only goal was to protect you… then why wouldn’t she just tell you what happened?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} She could have just told us the full story… how had killed Kenji… and we wouldn’t have had to go through this trial at all. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} That would have been the best way to keep us safe… 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Not just… dying without saying anything. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Yes… I was wondering that myself. Why didn’t she just… tell me the truth?

 

If she had… she wouldn’t have had to die… Shinto’s got a point. 

 

Her behaviour is… very odd. If she wanted me to survive then… why not just tell me the truth?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Maybe… Reijiro-kun put her up to it… he’d just die if she told us the truth right?

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I guess… that could be why… 

 

Would Reijiro… really do that?

 

And most importantly… could he really convince her?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} There must have been a reason… but I'm convinced that Fusume’s intentions were good. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Her goal… has always been to keep us safe. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} But… by not telling us what had really happened she was directly putting the group in danger wasn’t she?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} It’s… paradoxal when you think about it. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Still… she had to have a good-

 

Reijiro: {Rubs eye, sad expression} Monokuma… would not let us speak. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Reijiro-kun?

 

W-Wait… is he…

 

Reijiro: {Twirls a strand of hair, melancholic} He said… he would kill us all if we spoke… 

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} You did what!?

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} H-Hey… shut up… nobody asked you to speak elephant man.

 

Monokuma… didn’t let them speak?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Reijiro… what does that mean exactly?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} And more importantly… Does that mean that you’re confessing? 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} …

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELfxtdEakhk)

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Hold your horses… we can’t get into confessions before we’ve recapped the whole case can we?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} You’re just going to cut him off like that?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} That’s exactly what I’m doing… we’ve got a protocol to follow you dig? 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} First the protag goes over the entire case… then we can move on to explanations. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Mmph… if that is what it takes… 

 

Reijiro: {Twirls a strand of hair, melancholic} Please… go over it one last time… Hayato. 

 

That moment… stuck out to me… 

 

Not only had I never seen such a sad expression on his face… but in weeks of living together… it was the first time he called me by my name… 

 

Was this the sign… that he was truly beaten?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I guess you have no choice man… Monokuma probably won’t let us proceed until you do it. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} It’s also useful… for those of us who didn’t exactly understand everything. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato, will you do it ?

 

It seems to be the only way to truly end it… so of course I’ll do it. 

 

I’ll go over the entire case… and finally, the whole truth will be known by all. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} You can count on me. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} I love that attitude! Come on! Cue the music already! 

 

I will make my closing statement… hopefully, for the last time… 

 

Let’s do this!

 

CLOSING STATEMENT BEGINS

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTPdehG3xro )



Act 1 

 

Unlike all the other trials we have had to go through thus far, this whole case wasn’t based on a complex and intricate scheme from a devilish blackened. No, this was all a terrible sequence of somewhat coincidental events that spawned from the desperate plan of one man: Kenji Kimata, the Ultimate Survivor.

 

The day before the crime, Kenji joined all of us at dinner after a week of ignoring the group. 

 

However, his intentions were only to wreak havoc, he tried convincing us that we were all guilty of some crime in the past that we had all forgotten of. 

 

Having created tension between the different members of the group, he left the restaurant… but not before setting a meeting with me for the next day at 10 AM in the gallery. 

 

And just like that, he left, as the rest of us watched him, confused… but helpless. 

 

Kenji had fully lost it. 

 

Act 2

 

The next morning, I met with Kenji at 10 AM, just like he instructed me. 

 

I’m not sure what I was expecting… but not going wasn’t really an option at the time. 

 

I should have suspected that something was wrong… and I would have been right to do so. Kenji had brought me to the gallery to kill me. 

 

Almost as soon as I entered the gallery, he told me that he had no choice but to kill me as he was going crazy and needed to get access to the memories that were promised to us if a murder were to occur. 

 

He lunged at me with a knife leaving me only a few seconds to think of a way out. 

 

My back to the wall, I had no choice but to defend myself… so I grabbed a trophy that was on display in the gallery and hit him as hard as I could. 

 

He crumbled down… and as blood started flowing from his head, I realised what I had just done. 

 

Kenji was dead. And the shock knocked me unconscious

 

Act 3

 

Except… he wasn’t dead. I guess I hadn't hit him hard enough. 

 

What matters is that he survived the first blow… and that would be the catalyst for the tragedy that follows. 

 

Alarmed by the ruckus coming from the gallery, the blackened and Fusume entered the room in a panic and found two bodies. In reality, neither of us was dead, but the fact that Kenji was lying in a pool of blood made it hard to believe that he was alive. 

 

I’m not sure exactly what happened in there… but Kenji eventually woke up… hungry for blood. 

 

Act 4

 

Let’s not forget that Kenji still had a knife in hand… and he wasn’t the type of guy to go without a fight. 

 

She had no way to expect it, he was supposed to be dead… and yet, Kenji snuck up on Fusume and stabbed her in the flank. 

 

The blackened was also caught by surprise and just like me before him, they probably acted on instinct… and they hit Kenji with the trophy a second time. 

 

This time… he was dead. No doubt about it. 

 

However, Fusume was injured… quite badly at that. 

 

Still, the two of them were lucky, the BDA would not trigger until they went to get the others. They had all the time in the world to think of their next move. 

 

Before anything else, the blackened took care of Fusume’s wound, bandaging it in order to stop the bleeding. They also hid the different items at the crime scene that might have put their plan in jeopardy. 

 

Things were far from over… because even in this desperate situation, Fusume had a plan. 

 

Act 5

 

Everybody ended up discovering the body while I was still unconscious and the investigation began. 

 

For… let’s say complicated reasons, Fusume decided to keep quiet about her injury. She didn’t let her pain get the better of her… which meant that nobody noticed that she was badly wounded. 

 

However, Fusume’s mind was clear, eventually she was going to die… but she wouldn’t let her death be meaningless. 

 

She and the blackened decided to stage a murder so impossible that it would overshadow Kenji’s murder. By doing so, they forced me to keep quiet about what I knew. By creating a double murder, they would flip the entire trial on its head. 

 

For a crime so ambitious to work, they would need a distraction. That is why Fusume set the evidence locker on fire. Not only would it distract both us and the mascots… but it would also destroy potential evidence against her… the traitor among us. 

 

She ignited the remote fire starters that she had placed in the locker and the room was set ablaze. What she didn’t know at the time was that Jessie was still in the room, and she was now trapped by the flames. 

 

Jessie might have died if it wasn’t for Kôzuke’s heroic actions… fearlessly entering the room to rescue Jessie. 

 

Two people almost died… by complete accident. Collateral damage as they say…

 

And while our attention was turned towards the fire… something terrible was happening, right under our feet. 

 

Act 6

 

Down in the basement, the blackened and Fusume had reached the final stage of their plan. 

 

For the rest of us to survive, Fusume had to die. She was badly injured… and she probably had little chances of survival without proper medical treatment. 

 

But instead of fighting for her life… she decided to give it away for the greater good. 

 

And so the blackened finished her off… so she wouldn’t have to suffer any longer. Fusume… was dead. 

 

The blackened’s work wasn’t over yet… they had to hide Fusume’s body inside the vault… that was the impossible crime they had come up with. They used the crane in the basement to rotate the vault that constituted our motive around and they slid the body inside the safe through a small hatch at the back. 

 

All they needed to do now was to rotate the safe one more time… and the mystery was complete. The body would be found in an impossible location… which would turn the mascots against each other while focusing our attention on this second murder. 

 

We never heard any of this happening because the room had soundproof walls. However, that also meant that the blackened couldn’t have heard anything that happened outside. That’s how we caught them in the end. 

 

That’s the truth of this case… and I’m sure that the blackened’s plan was hatched with good intentions… but those must have gotten lost somewhere in the process. 

 

They kept their mouth shut and let me believe that I had murdered Kenji… and they tried their hardest to get me executed for their own crime. 

 

But… in the end we saw through their ruse… their plan almost came to fruition… but not quite. 

 

I… still don’t understand all of the psychological aspects of this crime… but I have no doubt as to who the culprit is. 

 

{Hayato is seen pointing at a grey figure with glasses, who looks down with a sad expression on their face} 

 

There’s only one person who could have murdered both Kenji and Fusume… and that person… 

 

It’s gotta be you, Reijiro Yamane, the Ultimate Intellectual

 

{Grey figure is revealed to be Reijiro} 

 

{BREAK} 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a)

 

Reijiro: {Twirls a strand of hair, melancholic} … 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Reijiro-kun… why did you do it? 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} It is… a complicated story. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You have to explain it to us… you can’t keep us in the dark!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I intend on telling you… but perhaps you should vote for me first. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} V-Vote for you? Already?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} I am afraid that Monokuma will interrupt me if we make him wait for a verdict… so go ahead, vote. 

 

Reijiro… why…?

 

Why did this have to happen?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} You know how to talk to a bear, I’ll give you that! 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Y’all heard the man… get to votin’ and then we can hear the dramatic reasons that pushed your leader to commit one… or rather two murders upupupu… 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} F-Fuck man… 

 

Monokuma: I won’t insult you by repeating what you already know, voting is mandatory so… y’know, do it. 

 

For the first time since I started accusing him… I finally realised what this meant… Reijiro was going to be executed. 

 

First Fusume died… and now Reijiro was going to die as well. 

 

The two people I was arguably closest to… are going to die. 

 

Dammit… there’s no way to stop this… is there?

 

This… fucking killing game… is going to take another life. 

 

 

 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} 

 

He was staring at me directly… 

 

Upon looking around me, I saw that everybody else was focussed on me… I was the only one who hadn’t voted yet. 

 

I just… couldn’t bring myself to do it. 

 

I couldn’t press on Reijiro’s picture… 

 

That picture… the expression on his face… he looked so smug… yet… so reliable at the same time… 

 

That was the Reijiro I knew… the Reijiro that became my friend. 

 

All the hatred I had felt for him during this trial as he tried to manipulate its outcome… it was gone. 

 

The only thing I could think of was all the things we went through together. 

 

He wasn’t a monster… he was pushed by this killing game… just like all the others before him. 

 

 

I couldn’t do it. 

 

And so I looked up and met his gaze. 

 

Reijiro: {Understanding smile} Do it… do not hesitate any longer.

 

Hayato: {Defeated} B-But… Reijiro-

 

Reijiro: {Clenched fist, frustrated} You know that there is no other possible outcome… so do not drag this any longer than it has to be. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Do it!

 

Startled by his sudden shout, I pressed the button… I knew that thinking about it any longer would tear me apart. 

 

So I pressed it… before I could convince myself not to do it. 

 



Monokuma: {Excited} The votes are in!!! Time to spin the wheel and see if you got it right for a fifth time in a row!

 

{A gigantic screen lights up behind Monokuma’s lifeguard chair which displays a roulette with every student’s pixelated face. A ball with Monokuma’s face on it is thrown on the roulette which starts rotating at high speed. After some time, the roulette slows down and the ball lands on Reijiro. The screen goes dark for a few seconds before lighting up again with the word CORRECT flashing on it while confettis are propelled from the roulette}

 

{Scene goes back to the normal format}

 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Ding ding ding ding! You did it! Five in a row! How impressive! 

 

Monokuma: Ahem, indeed, the assiduous assassin that murdered both Kenji Kimata and Fusume Ebisawa was none other than Reijiro Yamane. 

 

Reijiro: {Twirls a strand of hair, melancholic} Mmph… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Reijiro-kun… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Now… can we get your explanation?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} I’ll allow a few moments for the usual chit-chat… but once I get bored, it’s execution time. 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} N-No… 

 

Reijiro: {Understanding smile} *Sigh* I suppose that I owe you all an explanation. 

 

Reijiro: {Twirls a strand of hair, melancholic} You… got most of it right. He attacked Fusume when she went to take his pulse… neither of us saw it coming. 

 

Reijiro: {Rubs eye, sad expression} I did what I had to do in that situation… to protect both of us… 

 

Reijiro: I suppose… it was somewhat of a reflex… but that does not matter. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} What matters is that I killed him… I struck him dead. 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Ggh… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Reijiro… 

 

Shinto: {Bends forwards, finger pointing} But… what happened then? Why couldn’t you tell us the truth?

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} I was getting to that… but Monokuma interrupted… just like he interrupted us then. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Shocked} R-Reijiro!


Reijiro: He… he stabbed you, are you…

 

{Fusume can be seen crumbled against a wall, holding her bloody flank with one hand, Reijiro is kneeling next to her} 

 

Fusume: He got me good Reijiro… I’ve been stabbed before… this is worse than those times. 

 

Reijiro: We… we will treat that wound! I will not let you die!

 

Fusume: I am not sure that any of us have the capabilities of treating a wound so deep… I would probably need surgery at this point. 

 

Fusume: And… I’m afraid we can’t ask Monokuma for help… if I die… that creates a new murder… that’s what he wants. 

 

{Suddenly, Monokuma appears} 

 

Monokuma: Hey there lovebirds! I’ve got news for you!

 

Fusume: Speak of the devil… 

 

Reijiro: Will you… treat her wounds?

 

Monokuma: Me? Oh no… why would I ever do that?

 

Reijiro: She… will die!

 

Monokuma: So will all of us eventually… anywho, that’s not the purpose of my visit. 

 

Monokuma: I just wanted to tell you a little something about sleeping beauty over there. 

 

{Camera shifts to show Hayato’s unconscious body} 

 

Fusume: Hayato… what about him?

 

Monokuma: When he’ll wake up… he’ll be convinced that he killed Kenji… for good reason too, he’s the one who did most of the damage. 

 

Reijiro: So… it really was him who hit him the first time… 

 

Monokuma: Of course it was… but it looks like you did an oopsy and finished the job… which makes you the blackened in my book Reijiro. 

 

Reijiro: I… am the blackened?

 

Monokuma: That’s right, and my message for you is that I forbid either of you from telling him the truth about what happened here. 

 

Reijiro: Wh-What!?

 

Monokuma: I want the class trial as interesting as can be… which means that he needs to figure out what happened by himself… how exciting!

 

Fusume: You… monster… 

 

Monokuma: That means that you will both keep quiet on this matter… if you’re asked about what transpired in the gallery, you will have to lie. 

 

Reijiro: Why… would you ask something like that of us!?

 

Monokuma: My reasons are none of your business… all you need to know is that if you break this little rule… you’ll be punished accordingly. 

 

Monokuma: Now… I have a class trial to prepare… so have fun with… whatever it is you guys are doing! {Disappears} 

 

Fusume: Reijiro… this is bad… 

 

Reijiro: I know… but I will get your wound sorted out, I will-

 

Fusume: No… not that… 

 

Fusume: Hayato cannot be found guilty… do you understand me?

 

Reijiro: Wh-What!? What are you talking about?

 

Fusume: He has to survive… d-dammit… this is bad. 

 

{She grabs Reijiro’s hand in hers, blood covering both of their hands now} 

 

Fusume: Only we can make things right… you hear me?

 

Reijiro: I don’t understand where this fixation with him is coming from.

 

Fusume: I’ll explain everything in due time… for now… get me some bandages… we need to stop the bleeding. 

 

Reijiro: Stay here… I shall see what I can do. 

 

 

Fusume: Reijiro… 

 

Reijiro: Yes?

 

Fusume: Do you trust me?

 

Reijiro: Of course I do. 

 

Fusume: I’m… afraid I’m going to have to ask something… terrible of you. 

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Reijiro: {Twirls a strand of hair, melancholic} And so… we were forced into silence. 

 

Reijiro: {Holds a knife in one hand, and a small bloody sphere in the other} I tampered with the crime scene… taking these two with me. You were right about that.

 

Reijiro: Fusume also instructed me to throw Caspian’s cape in the trash and we lied about the body blocking the door… all that was meant to cover our tracks… to confuse the rest of you. 

 

Reijiro: {Rubs eye, sad expression} All of this… because we could not speak the truth about what happened. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Monokuma… why would you do something like that!?

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Hello!? This is Trial 5, which means that shit is supposed to go down!

 

Monokuma: Can you imagine how boring it would be if Hayato confessed straight up just for Fusume to correct him?

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Boom! Trial sorted in 5 minutes! That’s so awfully underwhelming. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} It’s all a question of fun with you… isn’t it?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} You betcha… I did what I had to do to guarantee a good trial… and would you look at that, we’ve had a great time! Haven’t we Kurozo?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I cannot say that I adhere to your tactics… which is why I shall refrain from commenting. 

 

That… explains it… 

 

Once again… Monokuma’s involvement changed everything. 

 

Except this time… he didn’t break any rules… which means he won’t be held responsible for his actions. 

 

If he had let Fusume talk… she would have told me the truth… and she wouldn’t have had to sacrifice herself. 

 

She was left… with no other choice. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} There’s one thing that I still don’t understand… why was Fusume so adamant to protect Hayato?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} It is odd… you guys weren’t lovers or something were you man?

 

Hayato:  N-No… of course not! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Then… why would she give away her life for you?

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} I’m afraid that her motive was simple… it is the same reason that all our classmates… did what they did previously. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} N-No… you mean that… 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} Ggh… 

 

Yes… I should have seen this coming… 

 

That would explain her weird behaviour… her contradicting actions… 

 

Hayato: She got her memories back didn’t she?

 

Like Kyia, Rina, Tadao and Oriana before her… once again… Fusume’s memories are what ended up causing her death. 

 

Reijiro: Not… entirely… but she got some bits of information here and there… enough to start putting two and two together. 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Fusume-chan… just like Oriana-chan… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} And… did she tell you what she remembered?

 

Reijiro: {Twirls a strand of hair, melancholic} She… did not tell me much… we were in a hurry after all… I only have a few elements to report to you. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} D-Do it quick! Before Monokuma interrupts you man!

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} He… did that to Oriana-chan last time!

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Nah… I’ll let him speak… he doesn’t have anything groundbreaking for you anyway.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I will therefore relay to you the little information that she gave me. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} First and foremost… she was indeed the traitor. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Sh-She was!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} So it was true?

 

I got it right…? For once… I wished I could have been wrong. 

 

Reijiro: She did not tell me… how exactly she was a traitor… and how she opposed our group… but she confirmed that she was not supposed to be here with us… 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} I see… so you did not get all the answers either. 

 

Reijiro: {Understanding smile} I’m afraid not… she died before she could give me more information. 

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} Wh-What about what Oriana-chan said last time… about the world having ended? 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} R-Right… tell us that she was lying!

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Of course… that was the first thing I asked of her. 

 

Reijiro: However… she knew nothing of that… 

 

Hayato: You mean… she doesn’t remember the world ending?

 

Reijiro: {Twirls a strand of hair, melancholic} In the sense that she has no memories of the state of the outside world at all… as I said, she still had many blanks… and only a few clear areas. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} So… we’re not getting any confirmation on the state of the world just yet?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Now you see why I let him talk. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Shut up! Stay away from this!

 

Hayato: Reijiro… what else did she tell you? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} K.M… do you remember hearing about those two letters. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} K.M…?

 

Hayato: I remember… it was… Tadao’s suicide note. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

This piece of paper… that’s the only object on the desk… I assume it’s time to get a little bit intrusive and see what this is.

 

I hope this isn’t just a drawing or whatnot-

 

{Further close-up on the paper}

 

“ K.M IS THE KEY”

 

K.M… what’s K.M? What does this mean?

 

… 

 

I lifted the scrap to take a closer look and saw a second piece of paper lying under the first one… and it read:

 

{Hayato hold second paper in his hands}

 

“I DID NOT KILL HER”

 

“NEITHER DID THE AUTHENTIC”

 

{Ends flashback} 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Yes… I remember that.

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} K.M… stands for Kanna Muratagi. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} As in… the Kuzuryu secretary that was killed by Caspian?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Yes… that’s the one… and when you have that in mind… it makes the rest of the letter much more clear. 

 

Hayato: “I did not kill her, neither did the authentic”. So… what he’s saying is that… he didn’t kill Kanna… and neither did the real Caspian. 

 

Reijiro: That is indeed what I concluded as well. 

 

Shinto. {Bites hat} So… does that confirm that Tadao… isn’t the real Caspian? 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Which means that one of these two pictures was edited to include one of these two!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But… how do we know which one’s real man?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I’m afraid we cannot know that for a fact at the moment… 

 

Hayato: I’d assume that if Monokuma gives this one to us now… it would make the previous picture obsolete right? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Perhaps… but that is no certainty. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Hold on just a moment… if we assumed that this second picture’s real… doesn’t that mean that Tadao wasn’t actually part of our class?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} In that case… yes, I suppose it would…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} But then… why was he locked up here with us instead of that other guy?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} More importantly… what does this mean as far as Caspian’s identity goes?  

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

We’ve had our doubts in the past… but this seems to prove it. He’s claiming that neither he nor Jiro killed that secretary. 

 

But… the press and the police were convinced that Caspian was the assassin so… who killed her?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So… Tadao wasn’t Caspian sure… but how is Kanna Muratagi key exactly?

 

Reijiro: {Understanding smile} Once again… I am afraid that I cannot answer that question… all I know is that you must not forget her… her death… is connected to us… in some way shape or form. 

 

I don’t like the sound of that… and yet with everything we’ve heard so far… I can’t say that it surprises me. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Was there… anything else?

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} She told me… that if we have a choice… we should refuse to get our memories back.

 

Refuse our memories!?

 

Reijiro: She did not give me any further explanation… all she said was that we would be better off without them. 

 

Shinto. {Bites hat} But… those memories were stolen from us. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I… don’t want to live without memories of an entire year of our lives! 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} She said… that for our own safety and wellbeing… we had to avoid getting those back. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I mean… a bunch of us went crazy because of those memories… maybe that’s what she’s afraid of. 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Would we… really lose our minds like the rest of them? 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Fusume… didn’t go crazy did she? She got some memories back… and yet she still tried to protect us… 

 

Reijiro: She seems to be… the exception to the rule then… perhaps she was different than the rest of them. 

 

Reijiro: {Understanding smile} Once again… she did not explain why… she just told me that I should warn you all. 

 

Fusume… doesn’t want us to get our memories back…?

 

What could that possibly mean…? What is she afraid of exactly? 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Okay… I got bored. Enough talking. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} I am not finished!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Does it look like I care?

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} Hayato! The last thing she told me… was that you had to survive!

 

Hayato: Wh-What!?

 

Again with that?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Why him… of all people?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} All four of you… need to protect him. That is what she told me. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Protect… Hayato-kun?

 

Reijiro: She was very adamant to that fact… he cannot die… otherwise this would have all been a waste. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} A… waste?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Protect him… at all costs

 

Why me? 

 

What… does this mean!?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Enough! I’m running out of patience. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} You better say your goodbyes… right about now. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Reijiro-kun… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Please… don’t kill him. 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} I’m going to be sick again… 

 

Reijiro: {Understanding smile} Don’t be… I… deserve this for what I did. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} You killed Kenji in self defense… and Fusume… 

 

Reijiro: {Single tear rolling down his check} Killing Fusume… I deserve hell for that. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

{Fusume’s on the floor, Reijiro is kneeling behind her. Her rope belt is tightened around her neck as Reijiro holds both extremities} 

 

Reijiro: I cannot do it. 

 

Fusume: Yes, you can… you must!

 

Reijiro: It is… impossible… Fusume… I cannot… kill you. 

 

Fusume: We are the leaders of this group… and it is our duty to keep the others safe is it not?

 

Reijiro: Yes but… 

 

Fusume: I am doomed either way Reijiro… you need to accept that fact. 

 

Reijiro: N-No… your wound can still be treated. 

 

Fusume: Stop saying that!!!

 

{Fusume violently rips the bandage off her injury}

 

Reijiro: Wh-Why would you do that?

 

Fusume: It’s over Reijiro… don’t you get it? 

 

Fusume: I asked you if you trusted me… and I’m telling you that this is the only way to make things right. 

 

Reijiro: By killing you?

 

Fusume: I will die either way… what you’re doing is sparing me the pain of dying from blood loss. 

 

Reijiro: Please… do not make me do this. 

 

Fusume: Reijiro… I wish it didn’t have to be this way… 

 

Reijiro: I care about you Fusume… I have never felt that way for anyone else!

 

Fusume: I know… and I feel the same… and maybe in another life things could have been different… but we’re stuck here… and if you really care about me then you must do this. 

 

Fusume: You must kill me… and hide my body inside the vault like we discussed. 

 

Reijiro: Please… 

 

Fusume: Pull on that rope Reijiro… before the others arrive. Pull on it!!!

 

Reijiro: N-No… no… no… no…!

 

{Reijiro starts to tighten the rope around Fusume’s neck} 

 

Reijiro: I’m so sorry… I’m so so so sorry!

 

Fusume: You’re… ggh… doing… great… 

 

Reijiro: I’m sorry…! I’m sorry… !

 

Fusume: Gggggggh… j-just a little more… ggggggghh… I’m s-s-s-o proud of you… ggggghhh… for… doing the right thing. 

 

Reijiro: I’m sorry… 

 

Fusume: I’m… here… gggh… don’t forget… it… I… ggggghh… know that I won’t… forget… ggghhh… you… 

 

Reijiro: FUSUME!!!!

 

{Fusume’s body goes limp} 

 

Reijiro: No… no… NO! 

 

Reijiro: Fusume… I’m so sorry… 

 

Reijiro: …

 

Reijiro: It’s all… his fault… 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Rubs eye, sad expression} I blamed you for her death Hayato… that’s why I did what I did. 

 

Reijiro: She was so insistent… claiming that your life had to be spared at all costs… I… guess I got things mixed up in the end. 

 

Reijiro: {Single tear rolling down his cheek} I concluded that it was because of you that she died… that it was all your fault. 

 

Reijiro: {Bows} I sincerely apologize for that. 

 

Reijiro: I should have followed her wish from the beginning… she wanted you to live… and my anger made me forget about what truly mattered.

 

Shinto: {Sad, points at cast} You never meant to kill her… did you?

 

Reijiro: {Single tear rolling down his cheek} I would have rather see myself die… but that is not the way things were. 

 

Reijiro: She was convinced that we had no choice… and I followed her convictions

 

Hayato: Reijiro… 

 

Reijiro: {Single tear rolling down his cheek} I cannot say that I regret what I did because that is what she wanted me to do… 

 

Reijiro: But… I know that I could not live with the guilt of… killing someone so special to me… 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} … 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} That’s enough… you’ve had ample time… now it’s time for the execution. 

 

N-No… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Please don’t do it… 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} This isnt fair!

 

Monokuma: {Excited} I’ve prepared a very special punishment for-

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Oh… I forgot to mention something. 

 

Hayato: What is it!?

 

Monokuma: {Amused} I just had a little something to say to my loyal sidekick.

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Me?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Is this really the time?

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Trust me… it is. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forwards} What do you want Monokuma?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} You really think that I'm not aware of the fact that you helped Reijiro!?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} H-Helped him?

 

Monokuma: He would have had no way to know about the rotating vault if it wasn’t for your assistance… after all, you built the damn safe didn’t ya?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} … 

 

Monokuma: {Amused} You thought I wouldn’t notice did you? You really thought I was dumb enough to miss the fact that you were conspiring with a student?

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} I did what anyone in my position would have done… 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} And now I’ll do what anybody in my position has to do. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Get rid of you… permanently. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You mean… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …!

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Look kids, a double execution awaits us upupupupupupu!!!

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forwards} You may get rid of me now… but this isn’t the last you’ll see of me!

 

Kurozo: Your ways of operating will not stand you hear me? Direction gave me my orders. 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Whatever… I’m done with you. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Will you not… resist this?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} I’m powerless… he can get rid of me if he wants to… and there’s nothing I can do to stop it… so I will accept it. 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Students… it seems that our paths will diverge from here on out. 

 

Kurozo: It has been a pleasure working with you all. 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} Don’t let Monokuma win… for everybody’s sake. 

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} And… do not forget what I’ve told each and everyone of you… may it help along the way. 

 

He looked at me when he said that last bit. 

 

Could he mean… that thing he told me back during Monokuma’s trial? 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Hayato. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Y-Yes?

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} You did well today. 

 

Hayato: I did? 

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} Yes… the entire class survives thanks to your insight. 

 

Kurozo: {Slams book shut} I just hope that you’ll realise soon enough that this is not fiction!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} What…?

 

Kurozo: {Slight grin} You come here with such confidence… determined and grinning when you identify a murderer… but you forget that you’re not the detective in a novel… 

 

Kurozo: {Scowls, trunk pointing forward} These are real lives you’re dealing with… and you’re just playing a role… living your detective fantasies!

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} That’s not-

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

I still don’t know what that means…

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Now… where was I?

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Be brave in the face of adversity… that is my final piece of advice. 

 

Reijiro: {Twirls a strand of hair, melancholic} It appears to be the end of the road for me… 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Oh yes… I have prepared a very special punishment for Reijiro Yamane, the Ultimate Intellectual and Kurozo… the ugly stupid elephant. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Hikari… Shinto… Kôzuke… Jessie… promise me you will do what she asked of you!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} So… you do remember our names?

 

Reijiro: {Twirls a strand of hair, melancholic} Of course I do… I… can only apologize for the way I have acted…

 

Reijiro: You have been true friends to me… like nobody has ever been before.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Reijiro… 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Please don’t go… 

 

No… this cannot be the end… 

 

I can’t accept that. 

 

I can’t… 

 

I-

 

Monokuma: {Excited} It’s… PUNISHMENT TIME!

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Good luck students, I wish you all well. 

 

Reijiro: {Single tear rolling down his cheek} Farewell my friends… and thank you for everything. 

 

At the very last second… I jumped out of my podium to reach him… 

 

But I was too late. 

 

Hayato: REIJIRO!!!!!

 

{GAME OVER}

 

{REIJIRO HAS BEEN FOUND GUILTY}

 

{TIME FOR THE PUNISHMENT}

 

________________

 

{Two large claws appeared out of nowhere, the first one grabbed Reijiro by the neck who was dragged out of view, the second one crushed Kurozo in two, splitting his body into two halves before dragging both out of view}

 

THE SMARTEST EXECUTION IN HISTORY

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvWH1KKOsoY )

 

{Reijiro is handcuffed and is walking up a long set of white stairs.

 

A Monokuma dressed in medieval clothes is pushing him forward while pointing a spear at his back. 

 

Reijiro’s expression is calm… and collected. 

 

The camera cuts are much slower than the usual executions. The scene is almost filmed in a single continuous shot.

 

As Reijirio walks up the stairs… he finally sees where he’s heading: A large black and white guillotine is awaiting at the top of the staircase. 

 

The Monokuma continues pushing Reijiro forwards and he doesn’t show much resistance. 

 

When the camera turns around, Kurozo’s bisected body can be seen positioned right in front of the guillotine as if to taunt Reijiro… to show him what was about to happen to him. 

 

Reijiro’s head is positioned inside of the guillotine. His face is uncertain. 

 

He’s expecting something surprising to happen… like all the other executions before him… something gory, disturbing… ironic… upsetting… 

 

But… everything happens slowly… the camera cuts don’t accelerate. 

 

Reijiro grows nervous… paranoid… something must happen… something has to happen. This can’t be a simple decapitation. 

 

 

And yet… everything remains as calm as possible. The Monokuma walks away from Reijiro and puts his paw on a small lever on the side of the guillotine. 

 

Reijiro closes his eyes in anticipation… will it explode? will wild animals trample him? will this be another fakeout?

 

 

Still… nothing.

 

 

Until… the lever is finally lowered and the blade drops in slow-motion towards Reijiro’s neck. 

 

Right at this moment… Reijiro looks like he realises that he’s been played… Monokuma used his intellect against him to torture him into thinking of every possible unexpected outcome… the trick was… there was none. 

 

And as the blade finally reached him, Reijiro seemed to be… smiling… or at least, at peace… 

 

The screen turns red

 

Reijiro’s head rolls into view, next to Kurozo’s body. Monokuma slowly walks towards their corpses and throws a match on the ground which ignites. 

 

Scene zooms out as the fire burns and Monokuma looks on with a strange expression from afar. 

 

Reijiro Yamane was no more} 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )

 

I couldn’t form a single sentence if you had asked me to… 

 

That execution was so different from the rest… so surreal… 

 

I had just seen my friend get decapitated… 

 

Reijiro was dead… so was Fusume

 

I couldn’t save him… just like I couldn’t save her. 

 

My closest friends were dead… because of me. 

 

If only I hadn’t gone to that meeting with Kenji… all three of them would still be here with us now. 

 

It was all my fault… 

 

I felt my mind crumble… as the despair took over my body. 

 

 

 

 

However… I was awoken from that daze by that… god-forsaken laugh. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Upupupupupupu… surprising was it not? I tried something different for once… I thought it was appropriate for such an emotional trial. 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Did you enjoy how I baited out Kurozo? He was killed before the execution even begun… 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Scum like him don’t even deserve a proper execution. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} … 

 

Shinto: {Crying} … 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} …

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Oh… you guys don’t seem too talkative right now! What is it? Did you fall into despair yet?

 

Hikari: {Sad} R-Reijiro…

 

We… have lost… all hope…

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Well… tough shit! You better get your spirits up kids!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} H-Huh!?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Congratulations, you made it to the final five!

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} … 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} … 

 

The final five?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} You made it through all five murder trials… I’m very impressed… but this party’s not over just yet

 

It’s not over?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} In fact… the fun’s only beginning from now on. 

 

What is he talking about?

 

Monokuma: Get back to your podiums… and open your ears as I present to you… the grand attraction… the main event of the killing game… 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} The Ultimate Class Trial!!!

 

We had just walked out of the worst trial yet… and we just learnt that our day wasn't over… 

 

One more class trial… with everything at stake. 

 

And despite everything we've been through… this would be our biggest challenge yet.

 

_____________________________________________________________

 

Chapter 5 : Monokuma Presents : The Greatest Heist

END

_____________________________________________________________

 

SURVIVING STUDENTS:

5


Notes:

Oh boy… this was a tough update to write.

Saying goodbye to Reijiro was extra hard but I'm interested to hear if this "emotional" trial got to you. Let me know what you thought in the comments or in the discord server!

We've been waiting for it and it's here! Chapter 6 : "Death is but the Next Great Adventure" is next… DR : AD will be back as soon as all the planning is finished.

The fic has almost been going on for three years… and as all good things it must come to an end.

I'm so happy that so many of you have joined the ride with me and I sincerely hope you'll enjoy the finale of DR : AD

Until then, take care and thank you for reading :)

Chapter 64: Chapter 6 : Death is but the Next Great Adventure : Deadly life

Notes:

Sorry for the delay, there was a lot of planning and fine tuning needed for this chapter.

We're finally here, the very last investigation of DR:AD. I hope you'll enjoy it!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

 

{Scene opens on a journalist in front of a hospital}

 

Journalist: An absolute tragedy… that’s the most appropriate word to describe what has just transpired here today folks. 

 

Journalist: Just as things were about to look better after the absolute chaos that we've been witness to in the past few months… there’s been yet another terrible accident… and Hope’s Peak academy is once again in its center

 

{Black and white frame of a school bus in flames on the side of a road}

 

Journalist: The students of the 79th class, also known as the very first class since the incidents I’m sure you’re all familiar with… have just perished in a bizarre bus crash. 

 

Journalist: The bus was found engulfed in flames on the side of a small country road, the source of the accident is still being investigated. 

 

Journalist: Truthfully, the accident could very well be coincidental… but foul play has not been excluded by the police. 

 

Journalist: Could this really have been an accident? After… everything that’s happened. I have trouble believing that myself. 

 

Journalist: The crux of the matter is this… I’m sorry to announce that all 16 students as well as their homeroom teacher have all passed away from their injuries. 

 

Journalist: We offer our condolences to the families and friends of the victims… this truly is a sad day for the academy and for the country as a whole. 

 

Journalist: We’ll get back to you with new information once we have it. 

 

{Scene cut to black and siren noises can be vaguely heard in the background



_______________________

 



Chapter 6 : Death is but the Next Great Adventure

 



________________________



 

 

 

{Scene opens back where we left it inside the trial grounds}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} An Ultimate Trial!? What are you talking about?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} We’ve just lost three more of our classmates… what do you want from us now!?

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on the podium} You… just killed Reijiro-kun.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} And Kurozo… you killed him too… how can you not be done!?

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Can you wait 5 minutes before the complaining starts? 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Trust me, I think that you’ll enjoy this one.

 

Hayato: How can there be a class trial… when there is no murder to investigate?



Monokuma: {Menacing} I’m getting there! Didn’t you guys learn about patience in school? 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} I guess you wouldn’t remember… you did lose a year and a half of memories regarding your school life. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} A y-year and a half? I thought you said it was a year. You lied to us about that too!?

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} I said more than a year… so technically I didn’t lie. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} J-Just let me finish my explanations okay?

 

Another class trial… right after what was our hardest trial yet?

 

The trial in which… I thought I’d lose my life. But in the end…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: You have been true friends to me… like nobody has ever been before.

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Reijiro… 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Please don’t go… 

 

No… this cannot be the end… 

 

I can’t accept that. 

 

I can’t… 

 

I-

 

Monokuma: {Excited} It’s… PUNISHMENT TIME!

 

Kurozo: {Stern, salutes} Good luck students, I wish you all well. 

 

Reijiro: {Single tear rolling down his cheek} Farewell my friends… and thank you for everything. 

 

At the very last second… I jumped out of my podium to reach him… 

 

But I was too late. 

 

Hayato: REIJIRO!!!!!

 

At the very last second… I jumped out of my podium to reach him… 

 

But I was too late. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

In the end Reijiro died… and there was nothing that I could do to stop that from happening. 

 

Monokuma: Hey! Don’t act so surprised that smartypants died… I called it from the very beginning… remember?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Monokuma: Ahem, going back on track, that is a bold claim you’re making Reijiro, you think you can prevent any murders from happening.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I don’t think it, I know it. Whatever it is you want to achieve you foul beast, I will not let it happen you hear me! I will not allow it.

 

He seems so convinced of his abilities. I mean yes he is cocky, but it does feel pretty reassuring to say the least.

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} upupupupu, I like that confidence Reijiro, you know why? {Red eye shining} Because you will feel even more despair when you realise you failed the group.

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} No, no that will not happen.

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I said it then and there… and would you look at it. 11 people died… including himself! I think it’s pretty fair to say that he failed your group. 

 

N-No… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Y-You monster…!

 

Monokuma: {Curious} So… are you done wasting my time? I had a whole speech planned out and everything… and you just had to ruin it didn’t ya?

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} I won’t… play your game anymore… I can’t take another trial. 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Oh… but I think that you will want to play my game this time. You see, I did call for an Ultimate Trial… didn’t I? This won’t just be any regular class trial. 

 

Hayato: It will be different…? How so?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Well, as I said earlier you guys made it to the final five! Kudos to you!

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Shinto, Jessie, Kôzuke, Hikari and Hayato. You five beat the odds and survived the first five trials!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} What that means… and believe me it makes me very sad to have to say this… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} This killing game is almost over!

 

What did he just say?

 

Jessie: {Sad} F-Finally…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} It’s over…? Does that mean you’re going to let us go home? 

 

Monokuma: Let you… go?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Upupupupupupupupupu… {Belly laugh} Nyahahahahahahahah!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Please, don’t be so naive!

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Come on… that would be such a let down! You want me to just let you escape…? Without any sort of challenge!?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} What now? Haven’t we been challenged enough man? 

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Don’t worry Kôzuke, this will be a different sort of challenge. 

 

Monokuma:{Red eye glowing} This trial… will determine whether you leave the resort… or whether you stay here for the rest of your lives!

 

Hayato: For… the rest of our lives…?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} You heard me! This will be the final trial… the one which decides what happens to you five!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} If you win… you will be released from the resort and this will be nothing but a bad memory. 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} However… if you lose, you’ll remain here forever!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Why forever? Wouldn’t the usual rules still apply?

 

Monokuma: {Curious} No… I’m afraid they wouldn’t. You see… once you lose the sixth class trial. Things change drastically around here. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} No more motives, no more class trials. No more opportunities. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} I mean, feel free to kill each other if you feel like it… but that won’t get you out of here. 

 

No more class trials…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You mean… that if we lose this class trial… we won’t get another chance to escape?

 

Monokuma: That’s exactly it! It’s do or die! 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Or in this case… more like do or live the rest of your lives in a paradisiac resort isolated from the outside world. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} We… only get one shot?

 

Shinto: {Points at cane, sad} We should have expected something like this… it was always going to end with some kind of trick. 

 

Monokuma: Oh no… this ain’t no trick lover boy! This is a straight up honest trial. It wouldn’t be fun if you had no chance to win. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} All the information that you will need will be at your disposal. You’ll have a real shot at surviving!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Then… we have no choice but to win the trial!

 

Hayato: You still haven’t answered my question… what will this trial consist in?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} That’s the interesting part you see. This trial will be very different in that you will not be investigating one case but rather… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} You will have to determine why you’re here. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Wh-Why we’re here?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} As you may have guessed, you bastards weren’t brought to this resort without a reason. This killing game was organised with a goal in mind… a motive if you will. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Your task is to figure out what that motive to bring you all here is! And more importantly… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Who exactly brought you here in the first place!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Who…?

 

Monokuma: That’s right… you will also be tasked to find the person behind this killing game… the person who organised everything… 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} The mastermind, if you will. 

 

The mastermind… we already knew that someone like that existed… and now we’re going to have to figure out exactly who that is. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} As I told you before, this mastermind is definitely a participant of the killing game. Whether they’re still alive or not… you’ll have to find who that is. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} One of us…?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} But… that’s impossible… 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} It’s not impossible, it’s the truth! I wouldn’t lie to you guys about this sort of thing. 

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} Yeah… lying isn’t your style now is it?

 

Monokuma: C’mon Shinto you’re still upset about that? Eh… you humans need to learn to put the past behind you. 

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Anywho… you will be tasked in understanding your situation by solving the unanswered mysteries of your past. 

 

I can think of a few… namely, that fire in the Eden Corp headquarters. 

 

That dream I had… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Wh-where am I…?

 

… 

 

I… can’t see anything… too much smoke…  

 

??? #1: Where is everyone? There’s no visibility in this place!

 

??? #2 : Mmph, we have bigger problems to solve first… 

 

These voices… I recognise them… 

 

??? #3 : You motherfucker! You betrayed us all! 

 

??? #1 : No… it can’t have been that person… right?

 

??? #4 : We’re all gonna die man! 

 

Who… who are they talking to?

 

??? #2 : After everything that we have accomplished together… it seems that this is the end. 

 

??? #2 : Our group falls after having been betrayed. 

 

Betrayed? By whom? I can’t see anyone! Who are they talking about?

 

??? #3 : This… this isn’t the end. If we’re gonna die here… then we’re gonna make you pay first!

 

??? #2 : It is only fair after all… for us to get retribution… traitor. 

 

Who… who’s the traitor? Who’s the traitor!?

 

… 

 

{Hayato is seen standing in a dark room, fire surrounds him} 

 

This place is burning! How did I get here? Where am I?

 

… 

 

I need to get out… I need to get out!

 

??? #5 : There is no way out… you will die here. 

 

Is that… the traitor?

 

{The flames creep closer and closer to Hayato} 

 

I can’t die in here… I need to make it… I need to make it.

 

… 

 

I need to make it.

 

… 

 

I… need… to… 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

It must mean something… I guess now’s the time to figure out what that meaning is. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} B-But… how are we supposed to figure all of that out? We’ve searched every building thoroughly… and found nothing at all. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} I wouldn’t worry about that if I were you. You didn’t miss too much in those buildings… but you had no way of getting to the real truth… until now. 

 

Until… now? 

 

Monokuma: {Curious} That’s right, once you leave the trial grounds, the elevator will bring you to an underground section of the resort which you didn’t have access to until now. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} A new section… 

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Everything you’ll need to win the final class trial will be there. 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} The rest is up to you. Will you succeed… or will you fail miserably? That remains to be seen!

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Just get in that elevator and investigate to your heart’s content. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Holler if you need anything… I probably won’t answer your questions but you never know. 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Oh… and you only get limited time as always… so I’d make as much use of that time as possible if I were you. I think it’s clear that you won’t want to fail. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Unless you don’t care about seeing the outside world ever again… if that’s the case then you’re weird… but good for you I guess. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} It’s finally time for that grand finale… I can’t wait! I’m sure you’re all as excited as I am!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} M-Monokuma… wait… what about our memories? Weren’t we supposed to get them back after the trial?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} The vault motive… was it nothing but a lie?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Oh that? Don’t worry about it, all the documents which were in that safe will be available downstairs… but it wouldn’t be interesting if I just gave them to you would it?

 

Monokuma: {Amused} That’s capitalism for you kids! You need to work to succeed!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Now. I’d gladly stay here and chat all day but your investigation time has already started so… get out there and have fun!

 

Hayato: Monokuma… 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Didn’t you hear when I just said “your investigation time has already-

 

Hayato: I’d just like you to know that we won’t lose. I’ll find the mastermind… and I’ll expose them for what they really are. 

 

Hayato: Whatever it takes!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Ooh… I love that determination Hayato. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Don’t forget what happened to Reijiro though… confidence isn’t always a good thing. 

 

Hayato: You… fucking… 

 

Monokuma: {Amused} That’s enough from you… better keep that angry energy for the investigation don’t you think?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Alright now, get out of my courtroom! I’ve got to prepare for the finale myself. It’s gonna be a blast I tell you. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} … 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} … 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} I said get out! Now!

 

 

{Screen turns black} 

 

We were forced out of the trial grounds by an impatient Monokuma and we found ourselves staring at the elevator, waiting for it to reach us. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} This is it… right?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} If everything’s really on the line… this gonna be hella stressful man. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Who could… the mastermind be…?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Come on guys… we’ll get through it… like we’ve gotten through all the other obstacles… we won’t fail so close to our goal. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} How can you know that for sure?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I don’t know it… I’m just trying to remain hopeful in these hard times. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} We have to make it… for everybody who died… for Reijiro and Fusume. 

 

Hikari… even she can’t put a brave face after everything that’s happened. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

It was him… or I… and I got the better of him… 

 

 

Once I got out of this… trance like state… I realised what this meant… 

 

Kenji was dead… we would have a fifth class trial… 

 

But this time… I wouldn’t be fighting a blackened… I was the blackened… and I’d have to fight everybody else.

 

I killed him… I murdered Kenji

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

{Flashback} 

 

The vault’s contents were now clear in front of our eyes… but, nobody could have predicted what we would find inside that sealed chamber.

 

Kurozo: {Scowls with trunk pointing forward} This… cannot be… 

 

Not even Kurozo… apparently. 

 

No… what we were looking at… was so horrifying that not even the elephant knew what to say… 

 

In front of us we saw…

 

She looked so peaceful in there… I might have thought she was sleeping if it wasn’t for that wound on her flank… 

 

No… she wasn’t catching up on all those nights she spent guarding us… she was dead. 

 

Fusume Ebisawa… my friend… had been slain. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Two more victims. Two more of our classmates were killed… and then Reijiro suffered the same fate. 

 

Monokuma didn’t even let us catch a break… it hasn’t been 10 minutes since Reijiro died… and we don’t even have time to grieve. 

 

I didn’t have time to get a memento of the fallen to make sure we cherish their memory. 

 

We haven’t left the trial grounds… and we’re thrown in yet another investigation… with stakes even higher than usual. 

 

{The elevator arrives and the doors open}

 

Shinto: {Frowns} The only way is down… I guess. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I miss seeing the light of day man… it feels like we’ve been down here for a full day.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} And we’re only going to go deeper. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Quelle angoisse… je ne sais pas quoi faire… 

 

This was a terribly difficult situation… everyone’s morale was as low as it’s probably ever been… and yet we’d have to give our all in an investigation unlike the five others. 

 

How were we supposed to do this?

 

 

We quietly made our way into the elevator, and like always, the doors closed and the metal started trembling, its noise breaking the overwhelming silence. 

 

{Camera shows all 5 students in the elevator, all of them look uneasy and nervous}

 

None of us knew what to say… or maybe nobody wanted to be the one to break the silence. 

 

Whatever the reason… we stayed completely quiet the whole way down.

 

It… probably felt much longer than it actually was but that elevator ride seemed endless to me, my head swarming with questions. 

 

What were we going to find in there? 

 

Was it really possible to win this trial? To get out of here? Finally?

 

Could… I really do it?

 

 

 

 

{The elevator doors open, bright light seemingly blinding the students}

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Everyone… we don’t have much time… let’s do our best… and maybe… just maybe we’ll make it out of here alive!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} That’s… a lot of pressure man… but I’ll definitely try to the best of my abilities… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We should probably spread out… cover as much ground as possible. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} That’s a good idea Shinto… we don’t know just how much information we’ll have to deal with… and how much time we’ll have to get through it. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Let’s leave no stone unturned!

 

Jessie: {Sad} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} L-Let’s do it! 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I like you guys… but I don’t want to live here forever. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Neither do I… I miss my family. 

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} I swore to Yoko that I’d get out… for the both of us… we cannot fail. 

 

Hayato: Good luck everyone. 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Hayato! I’m counting on you! We all are. 

 

Shinto and Kôzuke gave me a nod of approval while Jessie looked at me with a sad expression on her face.

 

After everything… they still have faith in me. 

 

I… can’t disappoint them. 

 

We need to pass this trial… not only for me… but for everyone else as well! 

 

For those who died… and for the four still with me. 

 

I won’t let them down. 

 

Fusume… Reijiro… I’ll make sure that your sacrifices weren’t in vain. 

 

This is the final trial… the Ultimate Trial. 

 

One last time… I must get to the truth one way or another. 

 

Why were we brought here? Why did we have to suffer this much… and lose our friends like we did?

 

And most importantly… who’s behind it all?

 

Can it really be one of us? Someone who’s pretended to be our friend… whose entire persona was a lie?

 

I don’t want to believe it… but I’ve learnt that in this place… anything can happen. 

 

It’s now or never… 

 

Will it be hope… or despair? One side has to win and it better be us.

 

… 

 

Enough stalling… 

 

It’s time to end this killing game… once and for all!

 

{Investigation Starts} 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI93nWonug8 )

 

{Scene shifts to a corridor. The underground section of the resort is futuristic looking, yet much more sober than the green building. The walls are a dark grey metal. There are three sliding doors dispersed along the corridor. Two of them are labelled: “Killing Game Museum”  and “Memory Studio” while the last one has no label.}

 

So this is the underground section… I’m guessing that this is where the mastermind ran everything. 

 

No use in wasting time in the corridor… let’s go through these rooms and see what I can find. 

 

{Move to Killing Game Museum} 

 

{Scene opens in a large room, with two floors connected by two spiral staircases on either side of the room. There are two large bookshelves on the edges and a large table in the center of the room. On the table, there are d ifferent artifacts on display. There is also a computer on the far left corner an d marble a statue of Monokuma on the far right corner. Jessie is here.}

 

Killing game… museum?

 

There definitely shouldn’t be a museum about that.

 

Now that I think of it… Monokuma implied more than once that this wasn’t the first time a killing game like ours was organised. 

 

I’d like to believe that I’d remember it if something like that happened but… who knows what happened in that year and a half. 

 

Either way… if there’s any information on the past killing games… it could be helpful to know. Figuring out trends and whatnot… 

 

Let’s get to it. 

 

{Examine Table} 

 

There’s a bunch of stuff on this table… these objects are displayed like they’re art. 

 

A sort of large skewer, a blue hammer, a golden katana similar to the one that was used to kill Yoko and Tadao. 

 

Are those… weapons used in the previous games? 

 

If so… what the hell is wrong with these people… treating weapons like they’re artworks. 

 

I fucking hate this place. 

 

{Examine File with Tadao’s picture} 

 

That’s Tadao… why is there a picture of him in this room of all places?

 

I guess… he really is connected to this killing game one way or another. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Which means that one of these two pictures was edited to include one of these two!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But… how do we know which one’s real man?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} I’m afraid we cannot know that for a fact at the moment… 

 

Hayato: I’d assume that if Monokuma gives this one to us now… it would make the previous picture obsolete right? 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} Perhaps… but that is no certainty. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Hold on just a moment… if we assumed that this second picture’s real… doesn’t that mean that Tadao wasn’t actually part of our class?

 

Fusume: {Meditating} In that case… yes, I suppose it would…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} But then… why was he locked up here with us instead of that other guy?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} More importantly… what does this mean as far as Caspian’s identity goes?  

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

He wasn’t a part of our class… he took Jiro’s place and took on his identity as the Caspian, the caped kidnapper. 

 

Why… would he do that?

 

And who was he?

 

Perhaps this file contained the answers to those questions. 

 

{Hayato can be seen opening the file with a focused expression}

 

“Name : Tadao Yameteko

 

Age : 18

 

Height : 1m68

 

Talent : Not applicable”

 

Not applicable… as I expected… he had no talent… he wasn’t a student of Hope’s Peak at all. 

 

Let’s see what else this thing says. 

 

“Tadao was accepted in Hope’s Peak academy as a part of the reserve course department. The entry fee was paid according to the academy’s policy and he has been officially registered to start in the fall next year.”

 

He was… a reserve course student? I remember hearing about that program when I first signed up. 

 

It’s an institution that Hope’s Peak founded because of the demand for more spots at the academy. They ended up building the reserve course for talentless students who could earn an education by paying a ridiculously high entrance fee. 

 

Tadao’s parents were rich… I remember him telling me that. It’s not impossible to think that he could have afforded paying those fees. 

 

So he was a reserve course student. Fair enough but then… what was he doing here? 

 

Wait there’s more… it looks like there’s a small note on the bottom of the second page. It reads… 

 

“Student is one of the few survivors of the reserve students’ mass suicide. His current whereabouts are unknown.”

 

What…?

 

Reserve students… mass suicide? What the hell is that all about?

 

Just what in god’s name happened at the academy…?

 

 

I can’t say that I understand what happened to Tadao… but this gives me some leads that I may be able to follow later on… I should keep this file in mind. 

 

{TADAO’S FILE added to truth bullets} 

 

{Examine Red Binder} 

 

This binder is labelled as… “History of the Killing game”. Bingo! That’s exactly what I was looking for. 

 

Let’s see what’s in this.

 

I skimmed through the documents and arrived at a list of names… 

 

“Survivors : 

 

Killing School Life

Makoto Naegi, Kyoko Kirigiri, Byakuya Togami, Yasuhiro Hagakure, Toko Fukawa, Aoi Asahina. 

 

Killing School Trip

Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu, Sonia Nevermind, Akane Owari, Hajime Hinata, Kazuichi Soda.”

 

So there were two killing games before ours… some of these names sound familiar. I just can’t quite put my finger on where I heard them before.

 

I flipped a few more pages and continued reading. 

 

“Hope’s Peak’s 78th Class took part in the Killing School Life. The 15 students were trapped in Hope’s Peak Academy and forced to live a communal lifestyle together for the rest of their lives. The only way out was to get away with murder. The game was masterminded by Junko Enoshima, the leader of Ultimate Despair. 6 students survived.”

 

I see… that was the first killing game. The rules were pretty similar to ours.

 

Junko Enoshima… hearing that name made my skin crawl… but why? Who is she exactly?

 

 

There’s more on the next page. 

 

“Hope’s Peak’s class 77-B took part in the Killing School Trip. The students of the class had been brainwashed by Junko Enoshima and Ultimate Despair and later became known as the Remnants of Despair. They were held accountable for the Tragedy that ensued. The 16 of them were put in a simulation in order to cure them from despair but a virus in the program forced them into yet another killing game. 5 students survived the killing game, the rest are still comatose.”

 

Ok… this is getting confusing. 

 

Remnants of despair and Ultimate Despair huh? Again… I know I’ve heard those names before. If they’re responsible for the tragedy and the world ending… I think it’s fair to say that they were a bad bunch.

 

 

I think I’ve gotten all that I could out of the binder. 

 

Interesting things to note : The killing games targeted classes of Hope’s Peak, so I guess we continue the trend in that sense. 

 

This raises a bunch more questions that it answers… but I’m sure it’ll come handy in the trial. 

 

Why us…? That’s the real question. 

 

{HISTORY OF THE KILLING GAME added to truth bullets}

 

{Examine Newspaper Stack} 

 

There are a bunch of newspaper articles on this table. 

 

On top is one that I’ve already seen before… 

 

{Flashback}

 

Kurozo: {Red eye glowing} One of you got so close to the truth that they were awarded part of their memories back… apparently that’s worth celebrating. 

 

Reijiro: {Step back, distraught} Wh-What did you say!?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} One of us… got their memories back?

 

That’s… impossible!

 

Hayato: Why didn’t that person speak up?

 

Kurozo: {Blank expression} Turns out the student in question said that they’d rather keep their cards to themselves for now… a decision which I respect. 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} When… did this happen?

 

Kurozo: {Opens book, adjusts glasses} This morning… they found an important clue and Monokuma rewarded them with some memories… not all… but some. 

 

Why… would somebody lie to us like that… I thought we were supposed to trust each other and work together…

 

Unless it’s Kenji or Jessie… one of us is lying… and now remembers stuff which they haven’t shared with the group…

 

And judging by what the memories did to Kyia, Rina, Tadao and Oriana… this is very bad news. 

 

Reijiro: {Cleans glasses} You said… that you had a reward for us… why?

 

Kurozo: {Slight smirk} Let’s just say that your classmate was benevolent… and decided to share their reward with the entire class… to compensate for keeping their identity secret or something.  

 

This… makes less and less sense. 

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} So here, take this… 

 

He hands Fusume a folded newspaper article. 

 

She quickly unfolds it and we see… 

 

{Camera zooms in on the newspaper article, it reads “Crucial witness in Muratagi case to testify in court!”}

 

{Camera then pans down to show a picture of Hayato in a police blanket with blood on his face. He’s staring straight at the camera} 

 

What the…

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What is this…? Why is Hayato on that picture!?

 

Hayato: Crucial witness in… Muratagi case? Where have I heard that name before?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Muratagi… Kanna Muratagi. That was the victim in the Caspian case which we studied a few trials back.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

In hindsight, we now know that it was Fusume who’d gotten her memories back… and we got that article as a reward. 

 

This is proof that the Muratagi murder is clearly related to us being here. 

 

Why was I covered in blood…? And why was I at the scene of a crime?

 

I’m scared of what I’m about to find out… 

 

 

What else is there on this stack?

 

{Another article is shown on screen, “Caspian, the caped kidnapper found dead shortly before his anticipated Hope’s Peak debut”, a picture of the bloodied body of a boy dressed as Caspian is displayed on the article, in the background of the photograph, Hikari can be seen cowering in fear}

 

Caspian… died? 

 

The boy in that picture definitely isn’t Tadao, it’s Jiro for sure. 

 

Jiro was killed…? And… Hikari was in the vicinity apparently. 

 

Wait! There’s… something handwritten on the picture. It says… “ They can’t know where this happened .”

 

That’s… suspicious to say the least… 

 

I can’t say I recognise the picture’s background… but I think figuring out where Jiro was killed might come in handy later on…

 

{ARTICLE ON CASPIAN’S DEATH added to truth bullets} 

 

This is getting more and more complicated… Jiro was the true Caspian and a member of our class but he died and was replaced by Tadao… that’s what I’ve got so far…

 

There are still a few more articles to get through.

 

Firstly this one… 

 

{The article headline reads : “Tragedy strikes at Hope’s Peak once more, the 79th Class perishes in a bus crash”}

 

H-Huh!?

 

Did I read that right?

 

{A picture is seen under the headline, a yellow bus can be seen crashed against the side of the road, the center of the bus is engulfed in flames}

 

That’s impossible…

 

I continued reading and it didn’t get better. 

 

All 16 students and their teacher died… there were no survivors. 

 

This… can’t be a coincidence can it? 

 

The 77th and 78th classes were involved in killing games… so were we, that’s the 80th class.

 

And now… the 79th are all dead in a bus accident?

 

There’s no way that it was actually accidental. Somebody wants us all dead… but why?

 

{ARTICLE ON BUS CRASH added to truth bullets} 

 

Alright… one last article to go through. Could this finally be some good news for once?

 

{Article’s headline reads : “The Final Legion of Despair responsible for yet another terrorist attack.”}

 

Oh god… another name with Despair in it. Something tells me this won’t be a pleasant read. 

 

“We thought that we were safe after the Remnants of Despair disappeared but a new terrorist group has emerged from their ashes. Rumor has it that this group is constituted of yet another corrupted class from Hope’s Peak, however this has not been confirmed. 

 

What we know is that this group is not messing around and they are responsible for the newfound chaos in the country, just as things were getting better.

 

The Legion and their followers have been spotted at the Eden Corp headquarters in last the few weeks. Rumour has it that peace talks with the government are being organised there in the coming days.

 

More information when we get it."

 

This is new… another Despair group huh? And it’s linked to Hope’s Peak once more.

 

What’s their connection to Ultimate Despair… or the Remnants of Despair?

 

These names are so redundant with each other it’s getting confusing. 

 

I’ll keep this in mind… unlike the Remnants, those guys seem to still be around. Could they be the ones responsible for this killing game? 

 

If they’re looking to imitate Ultimate Despair, it seems plausible. 

 

What in god’s name is going on here. 

 

{ARTICLE ON THE FINAL LEGION OF DESPAIR added to truth bullets} 

 

 

I’ve finally gotten through all those newspapers. That was… quite a read. 

 

I have way too many questions… I hope they’ll be answered at the class trial. 

 

For now, I’d better move on to something else. 

 

{Back away from table}

 

{Talk to Jessie} 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Bonjour Hayato-kun… 

 

Hayato: Hey Jessie. How are you holding up?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} About as well as one can when you’re tasked with solving one too many mystery… with your life and your friend’s on the line. 

 

Hayato: It’s really not a great situation is it? 

 

Jessie: {Sad} It’s not. 

 

Jessie’s morale is low… as expected. Still, she’s better than she was a few days ago. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Still… w-we need to make it through… we can’t die in here. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} If I die… everybody’s sacrifice will have been for nothing. 

 

Could it be that it’s Kôzuke’s actions back then that got her to change?

 

She was convinced that we were all bad people… but he proved to her that it wasn’t the case. 

 

I’d like to believe that’s the reason why the normal Jessie is back… in a way. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} A-Anyway… I’ve thought of something. 

 

Hayato: Tell me more. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Those Monokuma Bulletins… they must be important right? If Monokuma showed us those sound bites… They have to be connected to our presence here!

 

Hayato: Definitely… I believe that they’ll be crucial in solving this mess. 

 

Hayato: Actually, that reminds me… there’s one bulletin that only you saw… right Jessie?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Jessie was at 10 AM in the evidence locker… that’s precisely the time and place the Monokuma Bulletins should have played!

 

Hayato: {Defeated} If Jessie can tell us what the bulletin contained… and if that information is confirmed by Monokuma… then it would prove that she was in the evidence locker when Kenji was murdered. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I… I can do that! I remember exactly what I saw!

 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Quiet now… no need to spoil some juicy info to these unappreciative fools! 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Monokuma?

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} If you wanted to be enlightened by the bulletin… you should have been there on time!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} R-Right! That stupid bear didn’t let me talk about it last time!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} It… wasn’t as useful as the other ones though… it was just Hikari-chan screaming for help after she’d found a dead body… 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Pretty upsetting stuff… but I didn’t really get much from it. 

 

That… sounds like the moment when Hikari found Jiro’s body… I wish I’d heard that. It might have helped me understand what that meant exactly. 

 

Still… she’s right. The Monokuma Bulletin are going to be crucial in the trial… they’re clearly highlights of the important moments in our forgotten past.

 

There’s the Eden fire… Kanna’s murder… and finally Jiro’s death. 

 

The question remains… how are all those things connected?

 

{MONOKUMA BULLETIN added to truth bullets}

 

 

I thanked Jessie and left the Museum… I think I got everything from there… there are two more rooms to go through now. 

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

{Auto-move to Memory Studio}

 

{Scene opens on a small black room. It’s almost eerily empty. There are only two objects, one at each extremity of the chamber. On the left is a sort of VR helmet connected to a complex looking computer and on the right, a sort of telescope that points to the ceiling, Shinto is here.} 

 

This is the place that intrigued me most… I can’t say I’ve heard of a memory studio before… but I think it’s pretty obvious that this will be connected to our missing memories somehow. 

 

There’s not much to see here… but those two weird looking machines must be good for something. 

 

Time to call that damn bear and ask for a good explanation. 

 

Hayato: MONOKUMA. 

 

Monokuma: {Appears} It is I! First of his name. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} What can I help you with?

 

Hayato: Care to explain what this is all about!?

 

Monokuma: {Amused} With pleasure. You have reached the memory studio! Exciting isn’t it!?

 

Hayato: No, not really. 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} You’re the literal definition of a party pooper. 

 

Hayato: Just tell me what this room is. I don’t have time for your usual nonsense. 

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Mhm… you know that I have no obligation to do what you ask right? I’d be more polite if I were you.

 

Stay calm Hayato… don’t hit him… just stay calm. 

 

Hayato: Monokuma… please just explain to me what’s going on here… I’m not asking for much. 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Fine… but only because I like you Hayato!

 

Monokuma: As the name implies, this is a room where you’ll be able to consult some of your lost memories! These might come in handy during the trial!

 

{Camera zooms to the VR helmet} 

 

Monokuma: The main attraction is this! The Memory Simulator ©! Just put on the helmet and scan your Resident ID on the side! 

 

Monokuma: The simulator will automatically play some of your old memories for you! It’s up to you what to do with said memories once you get access to them!

 

Hayato: I see… it does seem pretty simple to use.

 

{Camera shifts to show the telescope}

 

Hayato: And what about this thing…? What do you do with that?

 

Monokuma: N-Nothing! This machine was used to communicate with a certain student a few weeks back. It has nothing to do with you!

 

Hayato: Communicate with a student!? You mean that the mastermind was in contact with one of us?

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} I never said that! Don’t go around making accusations like that mister!

 

And the prize for worst liar ever goes to…

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} I’ve answered your questions now… I sure hope that you’re happy. 

 

He’s being very vague when it comes to that weird telescope looking thing… but I guess he did clear things up regarding that helmet… I guess that’s what matters here. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Oh… before you dive into those memories of yours. I have something for you. 

 

Hayato: Something… for me? 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} You were the one to point out how there had been no murder to solve… right? 

 

Hayato: Well, yes but-

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} You were wrong! This Ultimate class trial definitely revolves around a murder… or even multiple murders if you think about it. They just didn’t happen directly in the resort!

 

He’s talking about… what happened in our past… 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Everything is connected it seems! 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Either way, you say murder, I say Monokuma File! It wouldn’t be fair otherwise would it!?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} The file should have been uploaded to your Resident ID already so have fun with that! 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} This is gonna be one hell of a trial… I can feel it already! {Disappears} 

 

Has one ever felt so much hatred for a stuffed animal?

 

*Sigh* I should probably check what this file is all about… 

 

{File is shown opening on Hayato’s tablet}

 

Monokuma File #0

 

“The Victim is Jiro Kojima, Ultimate Vigilante. The body was found in the Final Legion of Despair’s hideout about a month ago. The victim died after being pushed down a staircase. His neck was broken in the fall. Death was close to instantaneous.”

 

{Back to normal} 

 

His body was found… in these people’s hideout? 

 

That’s yet another connection that I can’t say I was expecting. 

 

W-Wait… a month ago that’s just before the killing game began isn’t it?

 

This is getting… more and more complicated by the minute… 

 

{MONOKUMA FILE #0 added to truth bullets} 

 

 

Next, I should check this room out carefully. This trial will be based on our past… that means the memories will have a huge role to play in that.

 

I’m… scared yet kind of excited. 

 

Let’s see what we’ve been missing all this time!

 

{Examine Telescope?}

 

He didn’t end up giving me much info about this thing… all I know is that it was used to… “communicate with a student”. 

 

Was somebody working with the mastermind? Could that be what this is about?

 

It really looks like a telescope, you look through the lens at the very bottom and you see…

 

Nothing. Looks like the lens has been blocked off by something. 

 

Well… it must connect to something on the surface. I’m not too sure under which building we are… that’d be useful to figure out. 

 

All I can think of right now is the image that must be projected to the person receiving the communication… judging by how wide the top part of the machine is, they’d probably just see a huge closeup of an eye. 

 

Pretty scary… 

 

{WEIRD TELESCOPE added to truth bullets}

 

{Examine VR headset}

 

Now for the… “main attraction”. That is the phrasing he chose I think. 

 

This helmet looks borderline dangerous… I’d rather not put this on… it’s got that “I’m about to brainwash you” vibe to it… but I’ve got no choice do I?

 

I put the helmet on my head with about as little enthusiasm as humanly possible and, as instructed, I pressed my Resident ID to its side. 

 

I sure hope nobody’s looking at me… I feel mighty stupid at the moment. 

 

The machine vibrated for a few seconds and then the screen turned on. 

 

{The next scene is shown through Hayato’s eyes, a pixelated image is shown on screen} 

 

I was expecting some high budget simulation… our captors seem to have unlimited funds… but this is just a bit sad. 

 

It looks like very poor quality VR. 

 

{A message is shown on screen, “Hayato Seiki, you are about to be shown events of your past which has been erased from your conscience. Do you consent to seeing those images? Nod for yes”}

 

This is really stupid.

 

I nodded and awaited for something to happen…

 

{Two options appear on screen. “Fire” and “Blood”}

 

Cute. I guess I have to choose one of the two huh? 

 

Fire and blood… I think I can identify what those two words are relating to. 

 

I guess I’ll start with “Fire”… the Eden Corp incident is still the event that confuses me most. 

 

What were we doing in such a place…? And who set that building on fire… and why?

 

This investigation is literally just me asking questions… I’d better find something concrete… and soon. 

 

 

I waved my hand in front of the “Fire” text and suddenly my whole vision went fuzzy. 

 

{The text suddenly starts spinning around Hayato who is now seen in third person holding his head, his eyes open wide as the world dissolves into a whirlwind of information} 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I spoke too soon about their small budget huh?

 

{Scene opens mimicking Hayato’s eyes opening, he’s in a dark room, you can’t see much} 

 

What… the… fuck!?

 

 

{Hayato looks around the room} 

 

This isn’t just VR… there’s no way I’m still in that room right?

 

It feels so real… like I’m in a different place. 

 

I… have no time to wonder about how this thing works… I should focus on where I am. 

 

This is supposed to be my memories right? Yet, I’m still conscious. That means I’m not reliving the events like they happened, I’m fully taking part in it once again…

 

At least, that’s what I understand of the situation. 

 

 

So… I’ve selected “Fire”, this must be the Eden Corp Building right? 

 

The room is super dark… I can’t really see anything. 

 

It… sounds like there’s a commotion outside. I should probably see what’s going on-

 

{Suddenly, the room goes up in flames, the environment becomes enlightened by the fire, we are currently in a small office} 

 

What the…

 

This fire… it’s… n-no… fuck…

 

It’s just a simulation… it can’t harm me… stay calm Hayato.

 

The room’s getting hotter by the minute… even if this is completely fake… there’s no way I’m staying here. 

 

I can see the door from here, I should get out of this room ASAP. 

 

{Camera zooms to show a machine on the far right wall of the room} 

 

W-Wait… what is this…? This device looks familiar…

 

I should get out but… I felt pulled to the machine… as if there was a magnetic field in the room. 

 

Why… do I feel this way?

 

{Examine Machine} 

 

{Upon closer inspection, the machine is a small computer with wires that are connected to the different walls of the room} 

 

Amongst the smoke and the fire, I could barely read what the small screen read. I got closer and finally managed to decipher the message. 

 

“ CODE = 0510

 

ACCESS CODE CORRECT - INITIALIZING INFERNO SEQUENCE”

 

Inferno… sequence?

 

Could it be that this machine is what started the fire?

 

There are a bunch of wires that leave the room through the walls, the ceiling and the floor. It’s like this machine is connected to a bunch of different rooms in the building. 

 

Now that I think of it… this room smells of gas. That’s probably what caused the fire. 

 

Did this machine coordinate the fire’s outbreak? 

 

That’d require a bunch of planning but… it’s not impossible. 

 

So… this fire really was some sort of terrorist attack. 

 

{The fire grows stronger and the flames creep closer to the camera} 

 

Argh… I’m out of time… I need to get out of here now… I don’t want to know what happens when that fire reaches me. 

 

It looks too real for my taste.

 

I won’t forget about that machine. My gut is telling me that this is what the arsonist used. 

 

A device capable of starting a building-wide fire…? Does that sort of thing really exist? 

 

Technology is scary man… 

 

{FIRESTARTING DEVICE added to truth bullets} 

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

I quickly ran out of the room and suddenly the voices I thought I was hearing got a whole lot louder. 

 

I could recognise the voices… they were my classmates… but I couldn’t see anything because of the smoke.

 

Hikari: Where is everyone? There’s no visibility in this place!

 

Reijiro: Mmph, we have bigger problems to solve first… 

 

N-No… I’ve heard those lines before. 

 

Kenji : You motherfucker! You betrayed us all! 

 

Hikari: No… it can’t have been that person… right?

 

Kôzuke: We’re all gonna die man! 

 

It’s that dream I had… I knew it wasn’t just a stupid dream… it really happened! 

 

Reijiro : After everything that we have accomplished together… it seems that this is the end. 

 

Reijiro: Our group falls after having been betrayed. 

 

The group… falls… 

 

Kenji: This… this isn’t the end. If we’re gonna die here… then we’re gonna make you pay first!

 

Reijiro: It is only fair after all… for us to get retribution… traitor. 

 

The traitor… we’ve determined that it’s Fusume…

 

Could that be who they’re talking to!?

 

I can’t see anything dammit!

 

… 

 

{Hayato is seen standing in a dark room, fire surrounds him} 

 

Fuck… if only I could see who they were talking to… that would tell me who the person who set the building on fire is. 

 

The most likely suspect is Fusume but… is it really that simple?

 

… 

 

It’s… really getting hot in here. How does a simple VR helmet do that?

 

Raiko : There is no way out… you will die here. 

 

That voice… I haven’t heard it in what feels like ages. 

 

Raiko… she must have known what was happening… like usual. 

 

Who was she talking to!?

 

{The flames surround Hayato} 

 

F-Fuck… I haven’t really gotten much out of that. The room is too dark. 

 

Okay… how do I get out of here now. This is getting a bit too much for me. 

 

 

I… can’t remove the helmet. I don’t feel anything when I touch my face. 

 

C-Come on now… this isn’t funny anymore. 

 

Hayato: Exit simulation!

 

Of course that wouldn’t work. I had to try it still… 

 

Dammit…

 

 

I have… no way out… 

 

G-God… 

 

 

My perception troubled by the accuracy of the simulation, I closed my eyes as I awaited for the flames to engulf me… just like they did in that dream.

 

 

 

 

But nothing happened. 

 

Robotic voice : Simulation complete!

 

{Scene opens mimicking Hayato’s eyes opening} 

 

I was greeted by that damn pixelated loading screen. 

 

The nightmare was over… just like that.

 

 

I really didn’t enjoy that… but it proves that my dream was real. 

 

We really were betrayed by someone… who set the Eden Corp headquarters on fire. 

 

What I saw was merely a simulation but… it felt way too real to be a complete fabrication. 

 

Our class was involved in what happened at the headquarters. 

 

I still don’t know how exactly… but I intend to find out. 

 

{MEMORIES OF THE FIRE added to truth bullets} 

 

Now… we’ve dealt with fire, it’s time to see what “ Blood” is all about. 

 

I think I know what I’m about to see… but I’ll keep my guard up just in case. 

 

This thing is no joke. I’ve never experienced VR like that. 

 

At this point it’s not really VR anymore… it’s like I was put to sleep and those images were shown to me. 

 

Yet… it felt so real. Like I really was there. 

 

Well… technically I was really there in a way. So maybe this is just my brain reconstituting what really happened back then. 

 

I don’t know anymore. My head hurts. 

 

 

Let’s just get this over with. 

 

This time, I waved my hand over the “ Blood” textbox and once again my world collapsed. 

 

{Once again the text starts spinning around Hayato who is now seen in third person holding his head, his eyes open wide as the world dissolves into a whirlwind of information} 

 

 

 

 

 

 

{Scene opens mimicking Hayato’s eyes opening, this time he’s in a brightly lit office. There’s an oak wood desk with an expensive looking lamp on it, large paintings in ornate frames and a marble statue in the far corner of the room. It all gives off a very luxurious, if not vulgar vibe} 

 

And now for something completely different. 

 

This whole place gives off a feeling of power… and self-importance. 

 

As expected… I believe that this is Tetsuji Kuzuryu’s office. 

 

Looking around I see no dead body… I guess that this is before Kanna was killed. 

 

{Camera zooms on the desk} 

 

If I remember correctly, she’s going to die right here against that desk. 

 

I’m guessing this isn’t just going to show me who killed her… the simulation will likely end before that. I should take this time to look around the room.

 

Maybe I’ll find some clues about what happened here… or rather what’s about to happen.

 

The police concluded that Caspian had done it but… is it that simple?

 

I really am complicating everything aren’t I?

 

Oh well… let’s get to it already. 

 

{Examine Desk} 

 

This desk screams poshness. I don’t even want to imagine how much Kuzuryu paid for it. 

 

Everything is perfectly ordered. Letter paper on one side, files on the other. The pens are aligned with extreme precision and there’s not a speck of dust on the whole surface. 

 

You’d almost forget that this is a mob boss’ desk. 

 

There’s only one thing sticking out, breaking the harmony of the desk.

 

{Camera zooms to show an envelope in the center of the desk} 

 

This letter… the word “Boss” is written on the enveloppe.

 

It was addressed to Mr. Kuzuryu? If so then I’ve got to get a look at what it says. 

 

He’s got to be a person of interest in the case right?

 

If it’s not Caspian… and it’s not him… then who killed her?

 

 

I got the letter out of the envelope and started reading.

 

 

This… 

 

Kanna wrote this letter. She says that she’s going to go public with the illegal business of the company… how it took advantage of the tragedy to make money off the victims and the crimes and that she’s quitting the job. 

 

Juicy… juicy stuff. 

 

Mr. Kuzuryu’s secretary was going to betray him but she died right before she could go public with the information. 

 

Call me paranoid but I don’t believe in such a coincidence. 

 

Looks like Tetsuji might have more to do with this than we first thought. 

 

What this means as far as the killing game is concerned I don’t know. 

 

{KANNA’S LETTER added to truth bullets} 

 

There’s something else that intrigues me on that desk… it’s…

 

{Closeup on an ornate knife with a dragon logo on the handle} 

 

This knife… it also feels out of place on that desk. Everything seems to have been placed there meticulously… but not that knife. 

I recognise the logo… that’s the Kuzuryu symbol. I think I heard that each important member of the clan had one of those… it was a mark of authority among the family. 

 

It’s not odd for him to own such a knife… but it doesn’t feel like it belongs on that desk. 

 

And… let’s not forget that Kanna’s throat was slit. This knife looks like it’s perfect for that sort of injury. 

 

Could this be the murder weapon?

 

{DRAGON KNIFE added to truth bullets} 

 

{Examine Small safe} 

 

It’s a thick metallic safe. The kind that must be extremely hard to get into. 

 

The thing that’s odd is that it’s open… and it’s empty. 

 

Did Mr. Kuzuryu leave it open on purpose? Or did he just leave in a rush?

 

And more importantly… what did he store inside that safe?

 

{OFFICE SAFE added to truth bullets} 

 

 

???: Hey! Stop it right there! 

 

??? #2 : You! Come back right now!

 

Huh… what was that!? There’s something happening outside. 

 

 

I looked out of the window and saw. 

 

{A caped young man can be seen running away from armed guards in the courtyard} 

 

That’s Caspian… isn’t it?

 

And judging by his height and build… it’s definitely Jiro… 

 

So… Caspian was being chased by guards at this time… it’s currently 2:03 PM. 

 

Depending on when Kanna died… that could be important.

 

 

Wait… he just ran out through the gates. He exited the premises completely. 

 

So… how did he get back here exactly?

 

Something feels off… very off. 

 

{Suddenly, screen cuts to black} 

 

Huh… looks like my time is up. 

 

Again… I wasn’t thrown right into the action… which means I don’t know who killed her. 

 

Still… I’ve seen enough to know that Jiro likely didn’t do it. 

 

I don’t want to oversimplify things… but it looks like there’s an obvious suspect here. 

 

So… why didn’t the police get to the same conclusion as me?

 

{MEMORIES OF KANNA’S MURDER added to truth bullets} 

 

 

Ok that’s it… I’m taking this helmet off already. I’ve gone through everything. 

 

 

The dim light still managed to blind me when I first took it off. I guess my eyes got used to the obscurity. 

 

I still have no idea how I saw what I saw… but oh well. 

 

Overall, terrible experience but it did give me some important elements on those two events. 

 

I can only hope that it’ll be enough for the trial. 

 

{Talk to Shinto} 

 

Hayato: Hey Shinto… did you find anything interesting?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} My head still hurts from that helmet… I can’t believe this sort of simulation exists. 

 

Hayato: Oh… so you tried it too. Yeah… it’s not a very pleasant time. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} It did raise a lot more questions… that office is where Kanna Muratagi was killed right?

 

Hayato: Yes… it most definitely was. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} It’s… weird, investigating a murder that happened all that time ago… someone we didn’t even know… 

 

Shinto: Do you really think it’s going to be important to know what happened to her?

 

Hayato: I guess… it’s related to what’s happening to us somehow… they wouldn’t insist so much on it otherwise. 

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} And Tadao… did mention her didn’t he? 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Checks pocket watch} K.M… stands for Kanna Muratagi. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} As in… the Kuzuryu secretary that was killed by Caspian?

 

Reijiro: {Sly grin} Yes… that’s the one… and when you have that in mind… it makes the rest of the letter much more clear. 

 

Hayato: “I did not kill her, neither did the authentic”. So… what he’s saying is that… he didn’t kill Kanna… and neither did the real Caspian. 

 

Reijiro: That is indeed what I concluded as well. 

 

Shinto. {Bites hat} So… does that confirm that Tadao… isn’t the real Caspian? 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} How is she… key exactly?

 

I’m yet to answer that question myself… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Oh… Monokuma did come to talk to me while you were in there… he gave me this, I thought you’d like to have it too. 

 

{A piece of paper is shown on screen} 

 

“Official Autopsy report for Kanna Muratagi:

 

The victim’s throat was slit, she choked on her own blood and died in a few seconds. The time of death was between 2:30 and 3:30 PM. The body was found in Tetsuji Kuzuryu’s office”

 

Hayato: Huh… it’s not very detailed… but it’s still interesting information. Thanks for showing me this Shinto. 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} You’re welcome. 

 

I haven’t seen him smile like that… since Yoko died basically. 

 

He’s convinced that he needs to escape to honour her memory… which means that I can’t let him down. 

 

We’ll win this trial… we have to!

 

{KANNA’S AUTOPSY added to truth bullets} 

 

There’s nothing else for me in this room… I should get to the very last one already. 

 

I still feel nowhere close to being ready to face this trial. 

 

Let’s hope the final room will bring more clues to the table. 

 

I said goodbye to Shinto and left him inside the Memory Studio.

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

{Auto-move to ???}

 

{Scene opens on a large room, on the left hand side are a bunch of screens which seem to show the feed from different cameras on the resort. In the center, a large table with a bunch of items on it. Finally, on the right hand side, a few bookshelves filled to the brim with files and documents. A small bed can be seen on the foreground. Kôzuke and Hikari are here}

 

So this is the final room. 


From the looks of it… this is the mastermind’s hideout. Where they controlled everything from the shadows. 

 

There must be some clues left regarding the mastermind’s identity around here… 

 

It’s a real chance to be able to investigate this place… I should make the most of it! 

 

{Investigate Camera feed} 

 

This is a live feed from some of the cameras which constantly film us. 

 

There are different buttons to switch through the cameras… which means that the mastermind had eyes on us wherever we were…

 

It’s pretty unsettling stuff. 

 

 

Hey… one of those buttons has a label on it… it reads “Victim Coverage”

 

Is that what I think it is? 

 

 

Without hesitation, I clicked on it and 7 videos started playing at once. One on each screen. 

 

{Kyia can be seen waking up from Fukami’s trap and slowly making his way to the window where she was resting, 

 

Rina can be seen heading for the Yellow Building, a devilish expression on her face. Yoshi was already waiting for her then.

 

Tadao can be seen setting up his own suicide, he ties a chair to one of the ceiling’s ropes and ties the second one in a noose which he ends up tying around his neck. 

 

Yoko can be seen getting up from her makeshift bed in the Red Building’s east wing and walking towards the waterbath.

 

Raiko can be seen exiting her own room and heading down to the hangar through the Jules Vernes staircase. She makes her way inside the submarine, not knowing that a deadly trap was waiting for her inside of there. 

 

Kenji can be seen waiting inside the Gallery. Waiting for Hayato to show up. 

 

Finally, Fusume can be seen holding Reijiro’s hand inside of the vault in which he was about to kill her. They seem to be having intense eye contact, but his hands creep close to her neck…}

 

N-No… this is… 

 

There’s no way that I’m about to watch my friends final moments… I’ve already gone through the pain of losing them… I can’t relive their deaths like that. 

 

I pressed on another button and the videos were gone. 

 

F-Fuck… why did those videos exist?

 

The mastermind recorded our friends’ murders and kept them as a souvenir?

 

What sort of sick freak would do something so horrible…?

 

Why…? 

 

Just… why?

 

{VICTIM COVERAGE added to truth bullets} 

 

{Talk to Kôzuke}

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Check this out man… there’s a weird inscription on that wall. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} It’s… sort of freaking me out. 

 

An inscription on the wall?

 

I looked at where he was pointing and saw…

 

{Closeup on the wall, it looks like a message was scratched into the wall. It reads : “He must pay for what he’s done”}

 

That’s… certainly ominous.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Scary right? Someone really went through the trouble of engraving that on the wall… whoever the message is directed to… the mastermind must have been really pissed off at them. 

 

Hayato: Yeah… I guess you’re right. 

 

I’m glad Kôzuke got over his feeling of uselessness… he’s wholeheartedly participating in the investigation… I think he’s finally realised what he’s worth. 

 

That’s a crucial thing to be able to recognise. 

 

 

About that inscription though… I’m getting this weird feeling in my stomach… I don’t like this one bit. 

 

Whoever the mastermind is talking about… 

 

This is very scary indeed. 

 

{INSCRIPTION ON THE WALL added to truth bullets} 

 

{Examine Table} 

 

This table’s a mess… there’s a bunch of stuff on here. 

 

Let’s see if I can find something useful from this pile. 

 

 

Huh…

 

{Camera shows a detailed plan of the different buildings on the resort.}

 

This is… a plan of all five buildings. 

 

It’s much more detailed than the plans we have on our tablets though. 

 

There are a bunch of annotations… basically everywhere. 

 

“Hidden gun in this wall, secret passage from here to here, fire extinguisher accessible behind this wall, medicine kit behind this one.”

 

The list goes on… it looks like the mastermind was prepared to face whatever danger came at them. 

 

Such a level of organisation… just who could actually be behind this…?

 

{MASTERMIND’S PLAN OF THE RESORT added to truth bullets} 

 

What else can I find on that table? 

 

 

What’s this…? It looks like an official document. 

 

W-Wait…

 

{Closeup on the document} 

 

“As we agreed, I have transferred 100 million yen on the designated account. I hope that this will be enough and that you will manage to get rid of our mutual problem. Please remember what is at stake here.”

 

The signature has been scratched off… I can’t see who wrote this… or to whom it was addressed… 

 

100 million yen!!? That’s… a whole lot of money. 

 

Somebody really made such a huge donation to… get rid of a problem?

 

Also… why is this here? 

 

Could this person… have funded the killing game? Are there really sponsors for that sort of thing? 

 

I’m afraid to find out who would spend this much money on a killing game. 

 

{GENEROUS DONATION added to truth bullets} 

 

 

 

 

There’s a bunch more useless crap here… I probably shouldn’t waste more time-

 

Hold on… what the hell is this!?

 

{Closeup on a piece of paper filled with signatures}

 

This looks like part of a contract… there are a bunch of signatures followed by an acronym.

 

R.Y

K.K

S.M

Y.K

H.M

K.S

J.K

R.I

Y.A

O.A

K.T

R.I

F.O

J.S”

 

Those initials… and those signatures… that’s our class!

 

That’s everyone… but me.

 

My signature is missing from that page. 

 

What… what the hell is this!? 

 

What were they signing off on exactly…? And why am I not here?

 

This is starting to scare me a bit…

 

I… hope I’m just overly dramatic… 

 

Y-Yes… that must be it. 

 

{CLASS SIGNATURES added to truth bullets} 

 

Nothing else of interest on that table. 

 

{Back away from the table}

 

{Talk to Hikari} 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato! Come see what I’ve found! 

 

She grabbed my arm and enthusiastically showed a small piece of paper.

 

{Closeup on the paper}

 

“I have run into some problems and I won’t be able to attend the event. You’re our last hope. You know the plan, I’m sure you’ll be able to pull it off just fine. The password is your B-”

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: Your what?

 

Hikari: {Sad} I don’t know… the message seems to have been burnt… the rest of it is illegible. 

 

Hikari: You can still read the signature at the bottom of it though… 

 

Hayato: It says… “Fusume”

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Right… Fusume wrote this letter… I don’t know to whom it was addressed though… or what she’s talking about exactly. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Probably some sort of event that we’ve forgotten about. 

 

Actually… I think that I know exactly what she’s talking about. 

 

This letter… will be crucial. I can feel it. 

 

{FUSUME’S LETTER added to truth bullets} 

 

Hayato: Thank you Hikari… I’m sure that it’ll be useful. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} You can count on me to do my best. 

 

Hayato: I know… thank you again. 

 

After everything that happened… I know that I can still count on her help.

 

Hikari’s been a great support all this time… I won’t ever forget that. 

 

{Examine Bookshelf} 

 

I’ll never have enough time to go through all of those documents… it’s not even worth trying. 

 

Hey… there’s an image sticking out from the outer shelf. Like it was messily put away

 

Is that…

 

{Closeup on a picture of the class. All 16 students can be seen smiling wholeheartedly. They all look very close to each other}

 

It’s that picture again… the real class picture… with Jiro in it. 

 

We look so happy… there’s a real sense of camaraderie emanating from the group. 

 

D-Dammit… to think that everyone but us 5 is dead. 

 

Who would put kids like us through such a horrible game?

 

I’ll… get justice for them… 

 

I have no choice but to avenge my fallen classmates!

 

We’ll win this trial… we have to. 

 

{80TH CLASS PICTURE added to truth bullets} 

 

{Suddenly, the monitor in the room turns on} 

 

Monokuma: Aaaaand… your time is up kiddos! Your investigation period has gone on for long enough. 

 

Monokuma: How did you like that special investigation? Fascinating isn’t it?

 

Monokuma: Making it to the final five is a privilege… I’m sure I don’t need to remind you of your dead friends. 

 

Monokuma: That means… you better make the most of this opportunity! You won’t get a second shot! You better hope that you did enough investigating. 

 

Monokuma: I’m waiting for you at the trial grounds… I hope you’re all excited for this final trial. 

 

Monokuma: The elevator is already in position… please step in and it’ll get you where you want to go. 

 

Monokuma: I’ll see you very soon!

 

{The monitor turns off} 

 

So… that’s it… our investigation is over. 

 

I don’t know if I got enough evidence… but it’s going to have to do. 

 

I’ll have to find the truth… there’s no other choice. 

 

Time to meet with the others.

 

{Screen fades to black} 

 

{Auto-move to Elevator, all five students are here}

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} …

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} … 

 

Jessie: {Sad} … 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

For the very first time… none of us knew what to say as the elevator doors opened. 

 

It was so surreal… the first time we entered the elevator there were 15 of us… and now we’re down to 5.

 

About to enter our last trial… the Ultimate trial. 

 

 

None of us wanted to be the first one to step in… so we just waited in silence until…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried}  I guess that… this is it… man 

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} Everything that happened… brought us to this moment. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} S-So… for all of our friends who died… we must try our very hardest. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We… won’t lose. We’ll get out of this resort, once and for all!

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5HuHnhHxXY)

 

Just like that… we were pumped up… or at least as pumped as was possible under the circumstances. 

 

I think it became obvious to the five of us that this was the final battle… that no matter how tough the battle in front of us was going to be… we had to fight it together. 

 

Hayato: I believe in us… I believe that we can make it. 

 

The others gave me a few nods… they were in the zone… so was I. 

 

This wasn’t the sort of trial you could approach with a negative perspective… 

 

Losing wasn’t an option. 

 

We were… going to win this trial and escape the resort. That was the only possible outcome. 

 

 

With almost unbelievable synchronicity, the five of us stepped inside the elevator and the doors closed for a final time. 

 

{Camera shows all 5 students in the elevator, all of them look confident and determined}

 

This isn’t like the other trials… this time… we’re fighting for our freedom. 

 

The light at the end of the tunnel… we’ve finally reached it. 

 

{Camera shows monochrome comic book style close ups of Reijiro, Kôzuke, Yoko, Shinto, Fukami and Raiko. Fukami, Yoko, Raiko and Reijiro have been reddened out}

 

We could finally escape… get back to our families… and this nightmare will finally be over. 

 

All those deaths… will not have been for nothing. 

 

We’ll honour their deaths… and we won’t ever forget any of them. 

 

{Camera shows a similar fashion of close-ups of Kenji, Oriana, Jessie, Rina, Fusume and Kyia. Everybody’s portrait but Jessie’s have been reddened out} 

 

We’ll fight for our lives…

 

We’ll fight… for the truth!

 

{Camera shows Hayato, Hikari, Yoshi and Tadao in the same way, Yoshi and Tadao have been reddened out}

 

And we will not lose this fight…

 

I won’t allow that to happen. 

 

Even if the world is against us… even if there’s nobody waiting for us outside. 

 

We’ll defeat whoever’s got us trapped here. 

 

And this will be the very last class trial that anybody’s ever put through. 

 

This Ultimate Class Trial… would put an end to all this suffering… to all the deaths… to the despair… to the killing game.

 

I’ll put an end to it all… 

 

I will finish it… right here… right now!







Notes:

And so the very final class trial is about to begin. This is your final chance to make guesses as to who the mastermind is as revelations will come a plenty in the next few updates. As usual, bring on the theories, I read everything.

Now that the planning process has been dealt with, updates should be back to the usual schedule so look please forward to that.

We're almost done with this fic, next week is truth bullets time and then we've only got 5 chapters remaining.

It's sad… yet exciting. I can't wait for everything to finally unfold.

I hope you've enjoyed this chapter, take care and I'll see you in the next one!

Chapter 65: Chapter 6 : Death is but the Next Great Adventure : Truth bullets

Notes:

Here are the very last set of truth bullets for DR : AD! Time to get your theorising hats on ;)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Monokuma File #0

The victim is Jiro Kojima, Ultimate Vigilante. The body was found in the Final Legion of Despair’s hideout about a month ago. The victim died after being pushed down a staircase. His neck was broken in the fall. Death was close to instantaneous.

 

Tadao’s File

Tadao was actually a reserve student at Hope’s Peak which meant he had no talent to start with. He’s one of the only survivors of the “reserve students’ mass suicide”, whatever that means.

 

History of the killing game

A short summary of the two previous killing games that both targeted Hope’s Peak students. It includes the survivors from both games as well as some background information on the context behind them. 

 

Article on Caspian’s Death

A newspaper article that reports on Jiro Kojima’s murder. Hikari can be seen shocked next to the body. At the bottom of the article, the phrase “They can’t know where this happened” has been handwritten.

 

Article on Bus Crash

A newspaper article that describes an accident that Hope’s Peak 79th class was involved with. All 16 students and their teacher died when their bus crashed on the side of the road. Foul play has not been excluded by the police. 

 

Article about the Final Legion of Despair

A newspaper article that covers the rise of a new group born from the ashes of Ultimate Despair. The members were students from one of Hope’s Peak classes. The article also mentions that peace talks between the Legion and the government were to be held at the Eden Corp headquarters. 

 

Monokuma Bulletin

The Monokuma Bulletin that we have been shown were : 

  1. Kyia, Yoko and Fukami in the midst of the Eden Corp fire
  2. Hikari, Hayato, Kenji and Reijiro reacting to Kanna Muratagi’s murder.
  3. Hikari finding an unknown dead body. 

The last bulletin was only seen by Jessie. 

 

Weird telescope

An odd machine that looks vaguely like a telescope. According to Monokuma it was used to communicate between the mastermind and a certain student. 

 

Firestarting device

A complex device that seemed to be connected to other floors and that appears to be what caused the fire. The passcode to trigger the fire was : 0510.

 

Memories of the fire

I remember going through the fire at the Eden Corp building. The students seemed to know exactly who the arsonist was, a “traitor” to the group. 

 

Kanna’s autopsy 

Official Autopsy report for Kanna Muratagi:

"The victim’s throat was slit, she choked on her own blood and died in a few seconds. The time of death was between 2:30 and 3:30 PM. The body was found in Tetsuji Kuzuryu’s office”

 

Kanna’s letter 

Kanna wrote a letter to her boss, Testuji Kuzuryu informing him that she was going to resign from her job and go public with all the shady deals the company had made to profit from the tragedy. That letter was found on Tetsuji’s desk.

 

Dragon Knife

An ornate knife with a fancy dragon symbol on its handle. It looked somewhat out of place in Tetsuji’s otherwise perfectly ordered office. 

 

Office Safe

A small safe that was kept in Tetsuji’s office. I found it open and empty. 

 

Memories of Kanna’s murder

I remember the day Kanna was killed. I found myself in Tetsuji Kuzuryu’s office that day. At 2:03 PM, I saw Jiro in his Caspian outfit running away from security guards and exit through the building’s gate. 

 

Victim Coverage

The mastermind had access to all of the camera footage, this file showed all of the victims from the previous cases moments before their deaths. 

 

Inscription on the wall 

A sentence has been scratched onto the wall of the mastermind’s hideout. It reads : “He must pay for what he’s done”. 

 

Mastermind’s plan of the resort

A detailed plan of the resort which the mastermind kept in their hideout. It’s more complex than the maps we had access to and indicated the location of certain hidden items around the resort. 

 

Generous Donation

A document we found on the mastermind’s desk. It reads : ““As we agreed, I have transferred 100 million yen on the designated account. I hope that this will be enough and that you will manage to get rid of our mutual problem. Please remember what is at stake here.”

 

Class Signatures

This page seems to have been taken from a contract which was signed by the entire class but me.

 

Fusume’s letter

A letter seemingly written by Fusume. It reads : ““I have run into some problems and I won’t be able to attend the event. You’re our last hope. You know the plan, I’m sure you’ll be able to pull it off just fine. The passcode is your B-”. The rest has been burnt and is illegible. 

 

80th Class picture

A picture of our original class, all 16 of us are smiling at the camera, looking like a normal high school class. 

 

Notes:

You now have all the pieces of the puzzle. Excited to see if some of you will manage to figure the truth out from the bullets alone! First part of the class trial coming soon!

Chapter 66: Chapter 6 : Death is but the Next Great Adventure : Class Trial part 1

Notes:

Finally, the end is upon us.

Welcome to the final class trial of DR : AD

Hope you'll enjoy ;)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

And so for the very last time, we entered the trial grounds. 

 

{Scene opens in the courtroom, as usual it has been redecorated by Monokuma. However, the decoration is significantly subdued. The walls are black and white in an alternating pattern with red and purple swirls breaking the monotony.}

 

Jessie: {Pouting} This… isn’t too easy on the eyes… but I can’t say that I’m surprised. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} At least he’s not openly mocking the dead this time… I much prefer this decoration to the previous ones. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} … 

 

This is it… the final trial. 

 

Whether we win or lose… will be determined in this very courtroom. 

 

I don’t have time to appreciate the decoration. That sort of stuff couldn’t matter less to me right now. 

 

I couldn’t help but notice the new portrait though…

 

{Camera spins to show Reijiro’s portrait in place of his usual podium. The words : “ Dulce et decorum est ” have been inscribed in red ink over his face} 

 

How quaint. 

 

I guess we shouldn’t have expected Monokuma to be mature for once. 

 

 

We quietly made our way to our podiums, the courtroom looking eerily empty with only the five of us left… and we waited in silence for Monokuma to speak. 

 

 

 

 

(Music :   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 )

 

Monokuma: {Curious} So… what are y’all waiting for exactly?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} W-Well… your instructions to start with… I don’t think it’s clear to anyone what you expect us to do!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} This trial is different from the other ones you said… so maybe you should give us a rundown before we begin. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Right you are! This isn’t your regular class trial… it’s the Ultimate class trial!!!

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} So you’ve added an adjective to it… and so what?

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Didn’t you listen when I explained it the first time? The rules are different and the stakes are a lot higher!

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Your goal is to figure out why you’re here… and make sense of the different events you have had the opportunity to investigate today. 

 

Monokuma: Of course… you’ll also have to figure out who the mastermind behind this entire killing game is!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} M-Mastermind…?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} You’ll vote at the end of the trial… get it right and congrats, you’re free to leave the resort!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} However… get it wrong and you will be forced to stay here for the remainder of your lives… no more class trials, no more chances. 

 

Monokuma: {Menacing} Is that clear enough for you bastards!?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} It’s… cl-clear now man!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Glad to hear it. Now… please begin your discussions!

 

The rules are clear… and everything’s on the line. 

 

Let this Ultimate class trial… begin!

 

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} So… I think it’s fair to say that these events he keeps on bringing up are the Eden Corp fire and Kanna Muratagi’s murder… right?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Yes, I agree. These are also the two events that were shown inside the memory studio. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Did… all four of you use that creepy VR thing?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I did… and it was a very weird experience for sure… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} So did I…

 

I nodded silently. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Still… I can’t say that I really understood what that was all about.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Those couldn’t have been our memories right? 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} It did feel super weird… kinda like those out of body experiences type things… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Some cultures talk about astral projection… that’s sort of what it felt like. Like we were seeing the scene from an outsider’s perspective.

 

They’re right… now that I think about it… those simulations felt quite odd to go through. I was too focused on what I was seeing to realise that I wasn’t actually living it…

 

I’m… not sure how to describe it. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} I guess I can address that. 

 

Monokuma: {Curious} You all saw essentially the same thing in those simulations except for a few minor details.

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Imagine one of you bastards had something to do with these events… it’d be too spoiler-y to just show you everything wouldn’t it?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} One of us… n-no. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I don’t want to believe it… yet it’s a real possibility isn’t it? 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Otherwise… we’d have no reason to even be here. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} … 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} I’ll let you bastards figure that one out by yourself upupupu… 

 

One of us could be behind the fire and Kanna’s murder? 

 

As surreal as it appears to be… it’s got to be a real possibility. 

 

The question is who…? And do I have sufficient evidence to figure that one out…

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Jessie: {Sad} So… where do we begin?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} This really is different from the other trials… there’s no murder to discuss… which means the starting point is pretty damn confusing. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} There is a murder to discuss… just not one that happened inside the resort. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Kanna Muratagi’s death… it certainly seems to be connected to us being here. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} A Mob boss’ secretary being murdered… what does that have to do with us exactly?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} I believe… that’s what we’re meant to figure out Jessie. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Still… the link isn’t obvious at all is it? All we know is that Caspian was the main suspect in her death… we don’t really know anything else about what happened. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Indeed… and the memories we were shown weren’t of much help in understanding what happened to her. 

 

They’re right… understanding the Muratagi murder and how it’s connected to us won’t be easy.

 

The clues I got give me a pretty good idea of who killed her… but what does it have to do with us?

 

We’ll have to figure that out… somehow. 

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} So… perhaps it’s a good idea to start with the fire… I think we’ve got more clues regarding what happened in the Eden Corp building than about Kanna Muratagi’s death. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Maybe if we figure out who’s responsible for the fire first it might lead us to the truth regarding her murder. 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} It’s wishful thinking for sure but… I think it's worth a shot to try!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} No objection from me. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} S-Sure man… whatever. We’ll have to discuss both incidents at some point so… whatever you guys want. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hm… el fuego…

 

The Eden Corp fire…

 

{Flashback} 

 

The same fire that I saw in my dream… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hands over mouth} Y-You learnt more about the fire…? Wh-What happened to us then!? What’s this whole thing all about?

 

Reijiro: {Smug} I managed to load the document on my Resident ID… so take a look for yourself!

 

{Camera zooms into Reijiro’s tablet to show a newspaper article. The headline reads : “Devastating fire at the Eden Corp headquarters”}

 

“As if the crisis couldn’t get any worse. The scheduled peace meeting between several of the major actors in the recent chaos was interrupted by a fire that started in the bottom floor and quickly spread across the entire building 

 

The police have already ruled out an accidental cause. “Whoever is behind this was actively trying to kill every single person in the building, that’s for sure” says the captain in charge of the investigation. 

 

The number of casualties is still unknown but the circumstances make it hard to believe that there’ll be any survivors in this incident. 

 

More news in tomorrow’s paper”.

 

 

 

 

Hikari: {Sad} …

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

The fire that caused an incalculable number of deaths at what was supposed to be a peace meeting. 

 

The fire caused… by one of us. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Man… maybe it’s a good idea to start by going over the facts… and recap what we know about the fire. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Hm… good idea… that way we’ll know what pieces of the puzzle we’re missing and it’ll be easier to fill in the gaps later on. 

 

Jessie: Sounds like a plan!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Here’s what I’ve got written down in the ol’ notepad.

 

{Black and white frame of a skyscraper on fire in the middle of a busy city}

 

Hikari: As we already know, the fire broke out inside the Eden Corp headquarters. 

 

Hikari: The Eden Corp was a super influencial company… they mostly dealt with stocks but their headquarters were often the center of meetings for the country’s important people. 

 

Hikari: On the day of the fire, there was a meeting between the government and the Final Legion of Despair… whom we believe to be behind the ressurgence of violence in the country after the Tragedy broke out. 

 

Kôzuke: S-Sorry to interrupt… but we still don’t know exactly what the Tragedy was… right?

 

Hikari: Not exactly… but we know that it consisted in a country-wide wave of despair and violence that almost destroyed society as we knew it. 

 

Jessie: So… that was what Oriana-chan was talking about when she said that the world had ended. 

 

Hikari: Correct… we still don’t know exactly how this whole mess ended… and what the state of society is as we speak. 

 

Hikari: I guess we’ll figure that out once we get out of the resort… for now that’s not what matters most. 

 

Hikari: Either way… a fire broke out in the entire building and… hundreds were killed… I believe it’s fair to say that there were casualties from both factions. The fire pick sides. 

 

Kôzuke: And this whole thing is important because…

 

Hayato: We were there… the day of the fire… for some reason our entire class was there. 

 

Hikari: We survived the fire… somehow and now here we are. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hikari: {Sad} The person responsible for the fire which killed so many people… on the day where peace could have been achieved… 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} It looks like it’s one of us. 

 

A member of our class… could be behind a terrorist act of this nature… I have trouble believing it. 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} That’s a good recap Hikari… let me just add a few things to that just so we get the full picture. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} The 16 of you managed to hide in an underground bunker specially designed for this sort of situation with a few other lucky survivors. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Everybody else… whether they sided with the Legion of Despair or with the authorities… they all perished. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} That’s the truth of the fire upupupupu!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Everybody died…? But there must have been hundreds, if not thousands of people in that building! 끔찍하다!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} You’re right… it is horrible… and one of y’all is to blame for that!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} How can this be…?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Sorry but when you say one of us… you don’t mean specifically that the arsonist is amongst the five people left alive right? It could be one of our dead classmates too, correct?

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Yes that’s right. The culprit is a member of your class… not necessarily one of you five. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} That’s all I’ll say for now! You’ll have to figure the rest out by yourselves!

 

Where do we even begin…? This is so awful!

 

Hundreds of deaths… and one of us is behind the whole thing? 

 

These trials used to be about solving a single murder… not these sort of attacks…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} If we’re to start our discussions. I do have a question in mind. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} What is it Shinto-kun?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Why did we survive? Why us of all people?

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} Wh-What are you talking about? 

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Sure, we still don’t know what our business there was but…how come we made it to that bunker and not the people who worked there. 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium} How did we even know about its existence!?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} This simply makes no sense to me. 

 

He’s right… it’s definitely odd… 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} I don’t think we have the tools necessary to answer that question just yet… but maybe we’ll understand once we know why we were there to start with. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Mhm… I guess you’re right… it’s just been bugging me… that’s all. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} W-Well then… if we’re onto that sort of topic… I have a problem with the fact that one of our classmate is behind the fire. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} You do? Didn’t Monokuma confirm that just now?

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasping podium} And you’re just going to trust what the bear says Hayato-kun!?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} N-No… this is impossible… I won’t believe it. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Our classmates might have had their issues… but I refuse to believe that anyone of us would commit mass murder like that!

 

Jessie: There must be a trick of some sort here… things aren’t like that! They can’t be!

 

She’s really adamant that the fire wasn’t caused by one of us… 

 

I can’t tell if her argument is based on logic or rather on her personal convictions… 

 

Either way, we have to figure out what we’re looking for before we start looking for it. 

 

Settling this debate seems to be like a perfect starting point to the dicussions in this Ultimate Trial!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckx2nvp8L3g&t )

 

{Truth Bullets : Fusume’s letter, Memories of the fire, History of the killing game, Monokuma Bulletin, Class Signatures}

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Do you realise the implications of what Monokuma is telling us!?

 

Jessie: {Sad} A member of our class… committing mass murder like that… I won’t believe it!

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} And you want us to believe that the rest of us covered for the arsonist?

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} We’re also victims here… there’s no way one of us is behind this!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I guess it really is mass murder if you think about it… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} But maybe that person’s intention wasn’t actually for people to die … 

 

Kôzuke: Maybe their deaths were accidental!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} No… there’s no way that the arsonist didn’t intend for people to die.

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} You saw how complex their setup was… clearly this was a carefully thought out plan.

 

Jessie: {Sad} Maybe so… but it wasn’t thought out by a member of the class… it simply couldn’t have!

 

 

Is the culprit behind the Eden Corp fire a member of our class? 

 

If Monokuma’s telling the truth then it means figuring out just who that person was should be our next step. 

 

The question is… can I prove it?

 

I’ll have to take a careful look through the evidence for this one… we need to get this right!

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Memories of the fire → the rest of us covered for the arsonist?



===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34 )

 

Hayato: {Determined} That’s where you’re wrong Jessie… we didn’t cover for the arsonist… in fact we took their actions very personally.

 

{Flashback} 

 

I could recognise the voices… they were my classmates… but I couldn’t see anything because of the smoke.

 

Hikari: Where is everyone? There’s no visibility in this place!

 

Reijiro: Mmph, we have bigger problems to solve first… 

 

N-No… I’ve heard those lines before. 

 

Kenji : You motherfucker! You betrayed us all! 

 

Hikari: No… it can’t have been that person… right?

 

Kôzuke: We’re all gonna die man! 

 

It’s that dream I had… I knew it wasn’t just a stupid dream… it really happened! 

 

Reijiro : After everything that we have accomplished together… it seems that this is the end. 

 

Reijiro: Our group falls after having been betrayed. 

 

The group… falls… 

 

Kenji: This… this isn’t the end. If we’re gonna die here… then we’re gonna make you pay first!

 

Reijiro: It is only fair after all… for us to get retribution… traitor. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} The class took the fire very seriously… and considered it treachery against our group… that’s what the memories told us. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} I also remember seeing that scene…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} So do I… and we were speaking directly at someone… which means that we knew exactly who the arsonist was at the time. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Ngh… 

 

That scene… I saw it in a dream way before Monokuma brought it back in that VR machine.

 

It’s important to me… I just can’t quite tell why. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} S-So… we did know who the arsonist was… but then why didn’t we do anything about it? 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I’m… not sure about that to be frank with you. We got caught up with the killing game not long after… who knows what would have happened if that wasn’t the case. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} One thing’s for sure… we clearly adressed the person in those memories like their guilt was pretty certain. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} It didn’t sound like there was much doubt… the arsonist definitely was a member of the class. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Those memories don’t leave much doubt… I have to agree. 

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} N-No!  That’s not true… that can’t be true!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You’re still not convinced?

 

Jessie: {Sad} How can we know that what we saw were actually our memories? Monokuma could be setting us up!

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} You really need to start trusting me a little bit.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Do you hear yourself talk?

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Those memories are 100% true. Nothing has been fabricated.

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} And we’re supposed to just take your word for it? nababaliw kana!

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Think of it this way… what’s the point of having an Ultimate Trial in which I give you a genuine chance to escape the resort if you don’t actually get a chance to find the truth? 

 

Jessie: W-Well, that’s uh… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} You can accuse me of all the crimes you want… but in these trials you were always given a chance to get it right… I wouldn’t lie about this sort of thing. 

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} You mean like you lied during Yoko’s trial?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} H-Hey that’s the exception that confirms the rule… I’m an honest bear I swear. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} You won’t convince us that you’re honest Monokuma… 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} But I’d tend to believe that those memories are real. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Hayato-kun? 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I told you guys once already but… I saw that exact same scene in a dream a few weeks back. It felt so real… I just can’t believe that it’s been fabricated. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Couldn’t he have just implanted that dream in your head Hayato-kun? If they have the technology to delete our memories… surely that can do that also. 

 

Hayato: Maybe so… but trust me on this one Jessie… I really don’t think that the scene is false… I am sure that it happened… please have faith in me. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} … 

 

Jessie: {Sad} F-Fine… if you’re so convinced then I’ll trust you Hayato-kun… but I won’t be convinced that the arsonist really is one of our friends until there is definite evidence. 

 

Hikari: {Smile} That’s fine by us Jessie… but I think it’s a good idea to talk about who the culprit could be… that’s the only lead we’ve got so far. 

 

Shinto: No objections here. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Let’s just… do it already. 

 

She’s clearly not convinced but she’s at least accepted the possibility. That’s all we needed for now. 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So here’s what I’m thinking… if the arsonist is “a traitor to the group”, shouldn’t it just be Fusume? 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} We agreed last trial that she was the traitor Monokuma told us about right?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} The traitor… is Fusume.

 

Reijiro: {Glare} You dared… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Fusume-chan… no way!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} That’s impossible!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I’m as upset as you all are over this… but this is the only outcome that makes sense. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Please… explain how you got to this conclusion man…

 

Hayato: It’s rather straightforward… we concluded that the culprit behind the fire was the traitor… that culprit likely used those firestarters… and only Fusume could have done that. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} If you put two and two together… Fusume’s got to be the traitor. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} He’s right… we concluded that Fusume was the traitor because she set fire to the evidence locker… so logically, she should be the one behind the Eden Corp fire right?

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} I mean… it’s what we said last time at least. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} If Fusume’s the arsonist, it would clearly solve our problem wouldn’t it? 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Hm… I guess it would…

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Plus… Reijiro confirmed that she was the traitor… so we did get it right in the end. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Twirls a strand of hair, melancholic} She… did not tell me much… we were in a hurry after all… I only have a few elements to report to you. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} D-Do it quick! Before Monokuma interrupts you man!

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} He… did that to Oriana-chan last time!

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Nah… I’ll let him speak… he doesn’t have anything groundbreaking for you anyway.

 

Reijiro: {Smug} Mmph… I will therefore relay to you the little information that she gave me. 

 

Reijiro: {Clenches fist, frustrated} First and foremost… she was indeed the traitor. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Sh-She was!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} So it was true?

 

I got it right…? For once… I wished I could have been wrong. 

 

Reijiro: She did not tell me… how exactly she was a traitor… and how she opposed our group… but she confirmed that she was not supposed to be here with us… 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Our whole logic to corner Fusume as the traitor was that she was behind the fires in the Green Building… 

 

Reason dictates that she should be the arsonist… that’s what we concluded last time around.

 

And yet… 

 

Something’s not right. 

 

There’s a piece of evidence… that goes against everything we concluded last time around. 

 

The proof… that Fusume might not be the person that we’re looking for… it’s this!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Fusume’s letter

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Guys… I’m sorry to say but… I don’t think that Fusume is the arsonist that we’re looking for. 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} B-But we said… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You can’t be serious!

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusator} You’re going completely against the things you said last trial… why?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} New evidence has been brought to light… namely, this letter written by Fusume.

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato! Come see what I’ve found! 

 

She grabbed my arm and enthusiastically showed a small piece of paper.

 

{Closeup on the paper}

 

“I have run into some problems and I won’t be able to attend the event. You’re our last hope. You know the plan, I’m sure you’ll be able to pull it off just fine. The password is your B-”

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: Your what?

 

Hikari: {Sad} I don’t know… the message seems to have been burnt… the rest of it is illegible. 

 

Hikari: You can still read the signature at the bottom of it though… 

 

Hayato: It says… “Fusume”

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Right… Fusume wrote this letter… I don’t know to whom it was addressed though… or what she’s talking about exactly. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Probably some sort of event that we’ve forgotten about. 

 

Actually… I think that I know exactly what she’s talking about. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} I remember that!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} ”I have run into some problems and I won’t be able to attend the event”. 

 

Hayato: The traitor… Fusume… couldn’t attend the peace talks… and she had to delegate to someone else. 

 

Hayato: “You know the plan”. Doesn’t that sound like she was telling someone else to start the fire in her place?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} You can’t be serious!!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Hayato-kun… you can tell all that from just that one sentence. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It’s just a theory but… this letter was found inside the mastermind’s hideout… which means it must have some importance in this trial… and I can’t think of a better application than right here. 

 

Hayato: Fusume was the traitor, that much has been confirmed… and so she had planned to set the Eden Corp building on fire for some reason still unknown to us. 

 

Hayato: However… something came up… and so she got someone else to start the fire… an accomplice of sorts. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} That person is the arsonist that we’re looking for! 

 

Kôzuke: {Close-up on face}  H-HOLD YOUR HORSES MAN!

 

{Split-screen between Kôzuke and Hayato} 

 

Hayato: Kôzuke?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Y-You’re wrong man… I don’t that Fusume had an accomplice… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} She’s the traitor… which means that she set the building on fire… it’s as simple as that! 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} B-But… that letter.

 

Kôzuke: Let me prove it to you man… I’ll d-do it… I’ll prove it!

 

I guess I’ll see what he has to say. 

 

I’ve learnt from experience not to underestimate Kôzuke… so I should think carefully about his arguments. 

 

Let’s see what he’s got!



===

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4w_7v_BHM )



{Truth Blades: Fusume’s letter, Firestarting device, Memories of the fire. 

 

Kôzuke: 

 

Fusume was the traitor.

 

You said it yourself man!

 

Reijiro also confirmed it!

 

We suspected her because of the fire! Isn’t this just logical stuff man!?

 

I don’t understand how you can claim that anybody other than her is responsible for it all now!

 

Hayato: Kôzuke… Fusume’s letter clearly states that she’d miss the event… that means that she probably wasn’t at the Eden Corp headquarters at the time!

 

ADVANCE

 

Kôzuke: 

 

That doesn’t mean that she couldn’t have done it man!

 

We already know that she’s capable of starting fires from a distance! 

 

All she would have needed…

 

…were some of those remote firestarters…

 

and boom. She could have been far away for all I know! 

 

She definitely used the same technique for this fire.

 

And that’s how it was done… by Fusume Ebisawa… and nobody else!

 

 

So that’s his reasoning… I see. 

 

There’s a problem with what he’s saying though… I’ll have to show him that flaw for us to move onward with this line of reasoning. 

 

===

 

 

 


SOLUTION : Firestarting device → the same technique for this fire



===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34 )

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} No, Kôzuke… actually that’s not possible. 

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} Wh-What!? Why not!?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Sure, Fusume was capable of detonating those fire starters from a distance this morning… but there was no way for her to have done that back during the Eden Corp fire. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Hm… I suppose you have an explanation to back up that statement. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Of course I do. We’re talking about two fires on two  very different scales.

 

Hayato: Fusume set fire to a single room… while the Eden Corp headquarters burnt down… completely. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Y-Yeah… so what? 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The firestarters that Fusume used back then definitely weren’t potent enough to burn down an entire building. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} That’s n-nothing man… she could have just used a bunch of them… right?

 

Shinto: {Bends forwards with finger pointing} Maybe so… unless you have a way to disprove that Hayato.

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I do… and the proof resides in our memories from the fire. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

{Upon closer inspection, the machine is a small computer with wires that are connected to the different walls of the room} 

 

Amongst the smoke and the fire, I could barely read what the small screen read. I got closer and finally managed to decipher the message. 

 

“ CODE = ????

 

ACCESS CODE CORRECT - INITIALIZING INFERNO SEQUENCE”

 

Inferno… sequence?

 

Could it be that this machine is what started the fire?

 

There are a bunch of wires that leave the room through the walls, the ceiling and the floor. It’s like this machine is connected to a bunch of different rooms in the building. 

 

Now that I think of it… this room smells of gas. That’s probably what caused the fire. 

 

Did this machine coordinate the fire’s outbreak? 

 

That’d require a bunch of planning but… it’s not impossible. 

 

So… this fire really was some sort of terrorist attack. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The device seemed to be wired to other firestarting machines on each floor of the building… the wires enabled the arsonist to trigger everything at once… that’s how the fire broke out so quickly. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} O-Okay… but isn’t that what I said?

 

Hayato: Well, yes but there’s one step you’re missing in your reasoning Kôzuke… namely the fact that you had to manually input a code to start the device. 

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} R-Really?

 

Jessie: {Pouting}  C’est vrai… I do remember seeing a keypad on the machine… 

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} I think it’s fair to say that it’s impossible for Fusume to have activated the firestarters without being there! 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} The arsonist had to be someone inside the building… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Which means that Fusume isn’t the person we’re looking for… she did have an accomplice!

 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medal} I… I see… s-sorry about that. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Don’t apologise Kôzuke, now we know for a fact that someone else was working with Fusume. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Do we know for a fact that this person is a member of our class?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Judging by what Monokuma told us… I think it’s fair to say that the arsonist really is one of us. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} And we still have no clue as to who that person is do we?

 

That’s not necessarily true… there are still a few pieces of evidence regarding the fire that we haven’t talked about just yet. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} W-Wait a second… Hayato-kun do you remember the detonation code for the firestarting machine?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} The code? 

 

I wonder why she’s bringing that up now…

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} If I remember correctly it’s…

 

{0150/1050/0510}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: 0510

 

===

 

Hayato: The code was “0510”… it was still displayed on screen when I saw it in the memory studio. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Hm… I see. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Wh-Why do you ask?

 

Jessie: {Excited} I thought of something… and I think I’d like to share it with you guys!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Oh… okay Jessie… please tell us what’s on your mind!

 

Jessie: I’ll… give it my all!

 

I haven’t seen Jessie so pumped in quite some time… let’s see what it is she has to say. 

 

Hopefully it might lead us somewhere. 

 

I still can’t quite figure out what this all means… 

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t



{Truth Bullets : Fusume’s letter, Memories of the Fire, Monokuma File #0, Article on the Final Legion of Despair, History of the killing game}

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} What if… this code was the clue we needed to figure out who the arsonist was!?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Th-The code itself?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} 0510… those four numbers are the clue? That’s impossible…

 

Jessie: {Sad} I’ve seen it done in fiction a lot… how the numbers at the crime scene gave up the culprit’s identity…

 

Jessie: I thought that maybe this code gave something away about who did this. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Sorry Jessie but… when that sort of stuff is done in fiction…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} It’s because the numbers were written by the victim! 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I’m not sure a simple four digit code might help us here. 

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} This sort of code is often randomly generated isn’t it? 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Could it really be connected to the arsonist’s identity?

 

Jessie: {Disappointed} S-Sorry guys… maybe I over thought this… 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} I must have… made a mistake somewhere in my reasoning.

 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Fusume’s letter → this code gave something away about who did this. 



===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Jessie} YEAH, YOU’RE RIGHT!



{BREAK}



(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} You were right Jessie. This four digit code isn’t random at all. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} It’s not!?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} H-Hey… why are you surprised about that?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I still believe that Fusume masterminded this incident… that’s why she wrote that letter to the true culprit. 

 

Hayato: She was giving them instruction… In fact, she mentioned the code in that letter. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} She did? And what did she say exactly? 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} “The code is your b…”. The rest of the word has been burnt off… but I think it’s pretty obvious what the word is. 

 

Hikari: {Nervous smile} It is?

 

A word that begins with the letter b and that could be applicable in our case… it’s got to be: 

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csp8A4G7y-c

 

Question: What is Fusume pointing to in her letter?

 

-----

 

D Y H R A I B T

 

===

 

… 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : B I R T H D A Y

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} The answer is-

 

H-Hold on a second… 

 

The code was…

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Hnnnnnhnngh…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} H-Hayato! What is it!?

 

If the code was the arsonist’s birthday… then… 

 

The person responsible for the Eden Corp fire… 

 

The person who killed hundreds… 

 

It can only be… 

 

CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT:

 

Hayato: {Defeated} …

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …

 

Fusume

 

Kôzuke : {Grasps medals} …

 

Jessie: {Pouting} …

 

Kenji

 

Oriana

 

Raiko

 

Yoshi 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat}  … 

 

Yoko

 

Kyia

 

Tadao

 

Fukami

 

Reijiro 

 

Rina

 

 

 

{Select Hayato} 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

It’s me?

 

N-No… 

 

There’s no way that’s real… 

 

0510… October 5th… that’s my birthday. 

 

But… that’s impossible. 

 

I couldn’t have possibly done something like this… 

 

It can’t have been me… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Wh-where am I…?

 

… 

 

I… can’t see anything… too much smoke… 

 

??? #1: Where is everyone? There’s no visibility in this place!

 

??? #2 : Mmph, we have bigger problems to solve first… 

 

These voices… I recognise them…  

 

??? #3 : You motherfucker! You betrayed us all! 

 

??? #1 : No… it can’t have been that person… right?

 

??? #4 : We’re all gonna die man! 

 

Who… who are they talking to?

 

??? #2 : After everything that we have accomplished together… it seems that this is the end. 

 

??? #2 : Our group falls after having been betrayed. 

 

Betrayed? By whom? I can’t see anyone! Who are they talking about?

 

??? #3 : This… this isn’t the end. If we’re gonna die here… then we’re gonna make you pay first!

 

??? #2 : It is only fair after all… for us to get retribution… traitor. 

 

Who… who’s the traitor? Who’s the traitor!?

 

… 

 

{Hayato is seen standing in a dark room, fire surrounds him} 

 

This place is burning! How did I get here? Where am I?

 

… 

 

I need to get out… I need to get out!

 

??? #5 : There is no way out… you will die here. 

 

Is that… the traitor?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

They were talking to me… all along?

 

Hikari: Hayato… you’ve gone all pale. What’s wrong?

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful} You’re making the fact you usually make when you’ve figured out who the culprit is… 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} So… have you?

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} Nngh…

 

What do I say to them?

 

I saw how they reacted last time around when I was the main suspect in Kenji’s murder. 

 

They’re going to lose faith in me… 

 

Hell, I don’t even understand what this means. 

 

I don’t remember anything after all. 

 

Yet… the evidence doesn’t lie. Fusume’s letter was addressed to me. That’s the only thing that makes any sort of sense.

 

Dammit…

 

… 

 

The point of this class trial is to reach the truth… even if it’s not the truth we would have prefered. 

 

I have to… be honest with them. 

 

That’s the only way forward. 

 

 

Well… here goes nothing. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I think that… I’m the arsonist. Fusume’s letter was adressed to me. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} WHAAAAAAT!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Y-You can’t be serious. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} Where did this come from!?

 

Jessie: Were you lying to us until now Hayato-kun?

 

Hayato: {Bitter} No… I don’t remember doing it… I just figured it out thanks to the code. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} 0510… the fifth of october. That’s your birthday isn’t it Hayato?

 

Hayato: It is… that’s why I concluded that the arsonist must be me. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} I don’t like this at all… but if the evidence supports that claim then… I must take it seriously. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} B-But… why would you do something like that man? 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} W-We’re talking about mass murder here… 

 

Mass murder huh…? Is that who I really am?

 

A mass murderer?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} N-No… if Hayato’s really the arsonist… then there must have been a good reason for him to have done it…

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps medals} A good reason to kill hundreds of people? You think such a reason exists!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} No matter if it’s excusable or not… there must still have been motive wouldn’t you say?

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} I don’t suppose that you remember why you would have done such a thing… do you Hayato?

 

Why I did it?

 

F-Fuck… why can’t I remember?

 

I can’t remember anything… I don’t recall doing it… and I certainly don’t recall the reason why. 

 

But… there must have been a reason… 

 

I’m no monster. 

 

If I killed all those people… by starting that fire. 

 

I must have had a goal in mind. 

 

What could it be…?

 

Dammit… what could it fucking be!!!!?

 

 

C-Calm down Hayato… getting angry won’t solve anything. 

 

Maybe I should take another look at the evidence… is there anything that might indicate why the building was burnt down?

 

There must be something… somewhere… 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET: 

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Article on the Final Legion of Despair 

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

That’s… that’s it!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I believe I might have figured out why I could have done it. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} You’re going to try to find an excuse for your crime now ?

 

Hayato: That’s not what I’m doing Jessie… I just want to understand. 

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Well, tell us… what’s this reason of yours? 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} The Eden Corp headquarters wasn’t any odd building… it was the grounds for peace talks… 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I remember reading up on that during the investigation… the government was going to negotiate with the group responsible for the chaos in the country… 

 

Hikari: What was that group’s name…? I can’t find it in my notes. 

 

Hayato: The… Final Legion of Despair.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Just hearing that name gives me chills man… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

{Article’s headline reads : “The Final Legion of Despair responsible for yet another terrorist attack.”}

 

Oh god… another name with Despair in it. Something tells me this won’t be a pleasant read. 

 

“We thought that we were safe after the Remnants of Despair disappeared but a new terrorist group has emerged from their ashes. Rumor has it that this group is constituted of yet another corrupted class from Hope’s Peak, however this has not been confirmed. 

 

What we know is that this group is not messing around and they are responsible for the newfound chaos in the country, just as things were getting better.

 

The Legion and their followers have been spotted at the Eden Corp headquarters in the last few weeks. Rumour has it that peace talks with the government are being organised there in the coming days.

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Those guys succeeded to the group that was behind the Tragedy right?

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Correct, the Final Legion of Despair regrouped the last few members of Ultimate Despair which had remained in the shadow until then. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} The world thought themselves free of despair… but oh how wrong they turned out to be upupupu… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Ultimate Despair huh?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} So Hayato-kun… what do those guys have to do with the fire exactly?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} The article says that they had been spotted at the Eden Corp headquarters multiple times before the peace talk… they likely spent a lot of time there in preparation. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} If you want my opinion… peace talks were never actually going to happen… this was probably just another despair tactic from those guys. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} We don’t want your opinion actually. 

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Welp… doesn’t matter in the end… since one of you bastards killed everyone before anything could happen. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} E-Everyone…? You mean that those Despair guys died in the fire?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} That’s where I was going with this. Could it be that the fire was started in order to get rid of the Final Legion of Despair… and therefore save us all from the despair they were spreading. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Surely there must have been a better way to proceed than to just set the whole building on fire… there must have been a whole lot of collateral damage. 

 

Hikari: Who knows… maybe it was the only way to get to them… we don’t know how much power these guys had. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} While we’re on the subject… who were these guys exactly? 

 

Who were they?

 

I think I can answer that…

 

Hayato: The Final Legion of Despair was composed of :

 

{Old convicts/Hope’s Peak students/Hope’s Peak teachers}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Hope’s Peak students

 

===

 

Hayato: {Bitter} The Final Legion of Despair were Hope’s Peak students… that’s what the article said. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} St-Students…? But that’s impossible. 

 

Monokuma: {Amused} It’s not! The Legion’s members were definitely students from Hope’s Peak academy. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} A whole class working together to bring back despair. That’s what I like to see.

 

A whole class…? That’s new. 



Jessie: {Sad} Hope’s Peak students… dishing out despair… and going against what the academy stood for… that makes no sense. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} An entire Hope’s Peak class… was such a terrorist group? But who could it be? 

 

Shinto: There isn’t an infinite number of classes… but could there be a way to identify which class we’re talking about exactly?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} We can probably work it out by elimination… I believe that some promotions are simply ineligible. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} I-Ineligible?

 

This piece of evidence… might be what we’re looking for here.

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: History of the killing game

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Hayato: There was a binder in the mastermind’s hideout that went over the previous two killing games… both of them also targeted Hope’s Peak academy classes. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} So… there’s definitely a trend here. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} How does that help us narrow it down?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well… the circumstances of the killing games make it pretty much impossible for either class to be the Legion. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Mhm… how so?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Class 77-B were the Remnants of Ultimate Despair… they were brainwashed in joining Ultimate Despair… the killing game was meant to bring them back to normal. 

 

Hikari: So that class… was also a member of Ultimate Despair… what is it with Hope’s Peak and those guys?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} They were members of Ultimate Despair yes… but the Remnants and the Legion were two separate entities… the article made that very clear. 

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} I see… so it couldn’t have been class 77-b… it’s pretty logical. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Then… we’ve got the 78th class… they were the victims of the very first killing game… which was organised by Ultimate Despair. 

 

Hayato: Most of their class died… which means it’s impossible for them to be the Legion… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Monokuma did talk about a full class working for despair… I guess class 78 doesn’t fit that description. 

 

Those two classes are out of the picture… is there anyone else we can eliminate?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Hold on man… I don’t expect that legion to be a bunch of 30 year olds… otherwise they would have said Hope’s Peak alumnis… not a class of Hope’s Peak. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} It m-must have been a recent class! 

 

He’s got a point… if both 77 and 78 are cleared from suspicion… then it only leaves. 

 

Kôzuke: If we're the 80th class then… it must be the 79th class… they’re the only ones left!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} The 79th class…? Our seniors… could it really be them?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} The class that was one year older than us… they’re the terrorists!?

 

The 79th class…

 

No. It’s not them… it couldn’t have been. 

 

And I have proof… 

 

I’ll just have to show them what I mean. 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Article on bus crash

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The 79th class can’t be the Legion either… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Wh-What? Why not?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} They are the most likely suspects Hayato-kun

 

Hayato: {Bitter} I’m afraid that can’t be the case… because they’re all dead. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

{The article headline reads : “Tragedy strikes at Hope’s Peak once more, the 79th Class perishes in a bus crash”}

 

H-Huh!?

 

Did I read that right?

 

{A picture is seen under the headline, a yellow bus can be seen crashed against the side of the road, the center of the bus is engulfed in flames}

 

That’s impossible…

 

I continued reading and it didn’t get better. 

 

All 16 students and their teacher died… there were no survivors. 

 

This… can’t be a coincidence can it? 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} The 79th class was involved in a terrible accident… and all of them died. 

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} That’s… that’s… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} …

 

Hayato: We can’t know for sure but I don’t believe in coincidences… this probably wasn’t an accident… it wouldn’t surprise me if the Legion orchestrated their death… 

 

Hayato: Either way… the Eden Corp fire took place after the bus crash… the date on the newspapers prove it. The 79th class is innocent. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Were they just… trying to get rid of all other Hope’s Peak students?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Maybe… that’s why we’re here!

 

Maybe…

 

But… this raises a problem… 

 

We’ve eliminated a bunch of classes… but that doesn’t leave a whole lot of possibilities does it?

 

The Final Legion of Despair… the terrorist group that succeeded to Ultimate Despair… 

 

Who… are they?

 

By thinking logically… I must be able to figure it out. 

 

Think Hayato… think!



===

 

LOGIC DIVE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP7r1TVINsg



Q1: Was the Legion of Despair’s promotion before or after the 78th?

{Before/After}

 

 

 

Answer: After



Q2: Which the last Hope’s Peak class on record?

{79th Class/80th Class/81th Class}

 

 

 

 

Answer: 80th Class



Q3: Therefore, which class is guilty?

{Our predecessors/Our sucessors/Us}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Us

 

===

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Hnngh… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Hayato… did I say something wrong?

 

Logically it’s the only thing that makes sense. 

 

But… there’s no way. 

 

Hope’s Peak 80th class. My class… my friends. 

 

My class which went through so much… lost so many students… worked together against despair… 

 

Were we the bad guys all along?

 

How… can this be? 

 

I… don’t understand…

 

I’ve been on top of everything… every trial…

 

But the revelations here… they make no sense. 

 

I’m the arsonist behind the Eden Corp fire… and… my class is the Final Legion of Despair. 

 

The people… I were trying to kill with the fire… n-no… 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} You’re making that face again Hayato. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} What is it this time?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} The Final Legion of Despair… there’s only one class… it could possibly be. 

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} You’ve figured it out… finally man! Tell us who it is. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} It’s… it’s…

 

How… am I supposed to break it to them…?

 

They’ll never believe me…

 

Hayato: The Final Legion of Despair is-

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} It’s us… isn’t it?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} D-Did you just say…

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Shinto-kun… have you lost your mind!?

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} Those guys are terrorists… and now… you’re saying that it’s… us?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} You can’t possibly mean that can you?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’ve been toying with the idea for a few moments now… you were going to say that Hayato… right?

 

He got me. He must have come to same conclusion as I did. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Y-Yes… I think… that we’re the Final Legion of Despair. 

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} Y-You’ve both lost your mind. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} It’s a terrible thought… but it makes a lot of sense… 

 

Shinto: It would explain why our classmates all became murderous once they got their memories back… their true personality was revealed. 

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} Their personalities… as members of Ultimate Despair. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-No… 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} That’s what I was thinking too… everyone… but Fusume. 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} And she was the only one who wasn’t a part of our class originally…

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} She was the traitor… which means that in reality she was… the good girl of the story. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} A story in which we’re the villains. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} N-No… we can’t be… the bad guys… that’s impossible. 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} …

 

There’s another problem… if we’re all members of the legion then why would I try to kill them through the fire?

 

I can understand why Fusume would infiltrate us… and even try to eliminate the Legion… it was her job after all. 

 

But why me? My participation in the fire completely contradicts the possibility that we’re the true members of the Final Legion of Despair. 

 

Am I… also a traitor?

 

N-No… I’m on those class pictures… I’m a member of the class. 

 

Then… why?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Upupupu… looks like you guys stumbled on something interesting.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} So… thinking about it from this new angle… don’t you realise why you bastards are participating in this killing game? 

 

Why… we’re participating?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You mean… our presence here… is connected to our true identities!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Is this Monokuma confirming that we were right?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} It looks like we really are the bad guys

 

Hikari: {Desperate} N-No… I don’t believe you Monokuma… there’s no way that we’re… we’re… 

 

Hikari: Hnnnnnng!!!!

 

Why we’re participating? 

 

The motive behind this killing game. 

 

That’s what we’re trying to figure out in this ultimate class trial. 

 

Do I have all the cards in hand to answer that question…?

 

I’m the arsonist behind the Eden Corp fire… and the 80th class is the Legion of Despair responsible for the chaos the country has gone through in the past few months. 

 

Could either of those facts explain why we’re here…? Why we’ve been forced to kill each other like that?

 

 

Or… could it be that… 

 

I need to take both facts into account… at once?

 

 

This piece of evidence… could that be what I’m looking for…?

 

N-No… that can’t be… 

 

No… way…

 

The piece of evidence that clearly points at the mastermind’s intention behind the killing game… 

 

It’s this!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Inscription in the hideout

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 )

 

Hayato: {Bitter} We’re members of a terrorist organisation… and I set fire to the Eden Corp building with the intention of killing you all. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} You’re saying it like it has been proven-

 

Jessie: {Shocked} W-Wait… with the intention of killing… us?

 

Hayato: The only possible motive I can think of for the fire… was to get rid of the Final Legion of Despair… but that was us… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} You can’t be saying… 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Yes… that means… I betrayed the Legion… and now… 

 

Hayato: {Angry, pulls on scarf} I’m being punished for it. 

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} P-Punished… for it?

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes}  This is your punishment?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Monokuma said we had all the pieces to figure out why we’re here… and this is the conclusion I came to. 

 

Hayato: Remember the inscription inside the mastermind’s hideout… it read : “He must pay for what he’s done”

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Isn’t that what’s happening now? Am I not… paying for what I did?

 

Hayato: Paying for the fire… that killed hundreds… including most followers of the Final Legion of Despair… 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} This killing game… is my punishment. 

 

Shinto: {Closeup on face}  YOU CAN’T BE SERIOUS!

 

{Split-screen between Shinto and Hayato} 

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} You’ve said some pretty far fetched things in the past Hayato… but I think this one takes the cake. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} This reason for the killing game… is solely to punish you? That makes no sense at all… 

 

Shinto: I’ll have to prove it to you… so you can back down from those delusions and help us find the actual reason!

 

He can deny it all he wants… but I know I’m right… this is the only thing that makes sense. 

 

I’ll just have to show him the truth… no matter how much it may hurt. 

 

===

 

REBUTTAL SHOWDOWN BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4w_7v_BHM )



{Truth Blades: Generous Donation, Inscription in the hideout, Class Signatures}

 

Shinto:

This killing game… 

 

With all the funds and effort that was put into it…

 

Solely to punish one person…?

 

That’s completely delusional from you Hayato!

 

I get that there’s a lot of pressure on you to find the truth…

 

But you’re just being egocentric… 

 

Clearly… this game doesn’t revolve around you!

 

Come back to earth… please. 

 

Hayato: I’m not egocentric… it makes perfect sense. 

 

Hayato: The inscription proves that this game was created in order to make me pay for the fire… there’s no other explanation for it

 

ADVANCE

 

Shinto: 

 

Sure there is!

 

That inscription could have a ton of other meanings. 

 

And either way… 

 

Think about the rest of us

 

If the point was just to punish you then why are we here!?

 

We’re victims in this game too

 

You want me to believe that we’ve lost so much… 

 

I ’ve lost so much… 

 

Just because you had to be punished!?

 

That simply makes no sense at all!

 

 

He might not realise it… but he’s just said it. 

 

The horrible truth behind this killing game.

 

It’s right here in front of us.

 

===

 

 

 


SOLUTION : Class Signatures → We’re victims in this game 

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close-up} THERE'S A HOLE IN YOUR ARGUMENT

 

{BREAK}



(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXrdP9ez5GQ )

 

I was so blind… but finally I can see… 

 

The truth of this killing game… 

 

Hayato: {Emotionless} I finally understand… who the mastermind is. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Wh-What!? 

 

Hikari {Distressed} That… came out of nowhere… 

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful expression} You haven’t even… answered my questions! You think you can just ignore me?

 

That document… covered with everybody’s signature… it finally proves it. 

 

Everybody’s signature…  but mine. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Hayato man… you’re scaring me… 

 

By setting the Eden Corp building on fire… I betrayed my class, the Final Legion of Despair. 

 

I tried to kill them but… they made it out… and now I’m getting punished for it… 

 

This killing game… was made to make me pay… to make me suffer… 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Wh-Who… who is the mastermind?

 

Shinto’s wrong… they’re not victims… far from it. 

 

The horrible truth… 

 

This despair-filled killing game… I finally understand the motivations behind it. 

 

The mastermind that orchestrated this entire killing game… 

 

The only possible answer… 

 

My stomach dropped as the words were about to finally come out of my mouth. 

 

Hayato: {Emotionless} The mastermind… is…

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csp8A4G7y-c

 

Question: Who is the mastermind behind this killing game?

 

-----

 

O M N E E E E B U R V Y T 

 

===

 

… 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : E V E R Y O N E   B U T   M E 

 

=== 



TO BE CONTINUED 

Notes:

Wow… does that mean what I think it means?

Tons of twists and revelations in this one, excited to hear if some of you saw it coming and your overall thoughts on the update!

This chapter was quite delayed because of IRL stuff so sorry about that, I'm going to try my best to get back on schedule but I won't promise anything, these next few weeks will be busy for me so… join the discord if you want updates on the ETA :)

I've been super excited to reveal the truth of the killing game with you all and we've finally made it, I hope you enjoyed that bombshell of a final Hangman's Gambit

The fic's name really makes more sense now doesn't it?

More explanations to come in the next one… for now you'll just have to theorise on what exactly this means for our group.

In the meantime, take care, thank you for reading and I'll see you in the next one ;)

Chapter 67: Chapter 6 : Death is but the Next Great Adventure : Class Trial part 2

Notes:

So… it's been a while hasn't it?

Let me start by apologising for the unannounced hiatus. University got in the way, the came the holidays and then my computer died on me. Not only that but I did suffer from a massive blank page syndrome so the break was welcome in order to stop and reacess where this chapter was going.

But let's put the past behind us for now, a new chapter is finally here so I hope you enjoy it!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXrdP9ez5GQ)

 

Everything up to now… it was all a lie?

 

All the friendships I’ve made 

 

The camaraderie

 

The struggles…

 

The pain…

 

The hope…

 

None of it was real…?

 

How… can this be?

 

I…

 

I don’t understand…

 

{Flashback}

 

Monokuma: I’VE PREPARED A VERY SPECIAL PUNISHMENT FOR THE ULTIMATE BALLET DANCER, ORIANA AKIBA!

 

Oriana: {Heartfelt smile} Heh, looks like I’m out of time… but I said what I wanted to say…

 

Oriana: Try not to remember me as a failure will you? I tried… but I wasn’t good enough… 

 

Oriana: {Cold glare} All that should matter now to each and every one of you is winning… try to remember why you’re here!

 

Why we’re here?

 

Monokuma: LET’S GIVE IT EVERYTHING WE GOT!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} P-Please give us more time!

 

Reijiro: {Panicked} Wh-Why… don’t I understand…?

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Oriana-chan…

 

Oriana: {Heartfelt smile} Good luck everyone… looks like you’ll have all the fun without me now… 

 

Oriana: {Bites nail, annoyed} I can only hope that I did enough… 

 

{Ends Flashback}

 

That’s… what she meant.

 

Why we’re here… it’s to punish me. 

 

This whole killing game’s purpose… was for revenge. 

 

It… all makes sense now. This is why Fusume wanted to protect me. 

 

And why she didn’t want us to get our memories back. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Reijiro: {Head down with glasses shining} She told me… that if we have a choice… we should refuse to get our memories back.

 

Refuse our memories!?

 

Reijiro: She did not give me any further explanation… all she said was that we would be better off without them. 

 

Shinto. {Bites hat} But… those memories were stolen from us. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I… don’t want to live without memories of an entire year of our lives! 

 

Reijiro: {Glare} She said… that for our own safety and wellbeing… we had to avoid getting those back. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I mean… a bunch of us went crazy because of those memories… maybe that’s what she’s afraid of. 

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} Would we… really lose our minds like the rest of them? 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Fusume… didn’t go crazy did she? She got some memories back… and yet she still tried to protect us… 

 

Reijiro: She seems to be… the exception to the rule then… perhaps she was different than the rest of them. 

 

Reijiro: {Understanding smile} Once again… she did not explain why… she just told me that I should warn you all. 

 

Fusume… doesn’t want us to get our memories back…?

 

What could that possibly mean…? What is she afraid of exactly? 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

That’s why… 

 

She knew that if the others got their memories back they’d realise why they were here and they’d keep the game going until the very end. 

 

Kyia… Rina… Tadao… and Oriana. Their actions all make sense now. They blindly murdered or tried murdering without any real motive… that was because their sole purpose was to sustain the killing game. 

 

And so… they all fell like sheep… willingly. 

 

{Black and white frame of the entire class standing in a circle around a fainted Hayato, their eyes are all glowing red}

 

The Final Legion of Despair… is our class. Fusume was sent to infiltrate us and she recruited me to kill them and bring Ultimate Despair to an end once and for all. 

 

But I failed… they survived and now… they organised this killing game to punish me. 

 

That’s the truth… the painful truth.

 

The only truth… 

 

 

The question I have to answer now is… how do I win this trial?

 

They’re all against me. The four of them are on Monokuma’s side… so how do I survive?

 

How can I make it out alive when it’s me against them?

 

I… cannot win can I?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} Hayato!

 

Hayato: Y-Yes?

 

Fusume: {Hurt} Before you leave… there’s one thing you need to keep in mind… something you cannot forget.

 

Hayato: What is it…?

 

Fusume: {Dark look} You need… to stay alive!

 

Hayato: H-Huh?

 

Fusume: {Covers face with hands} You cannot die in here… you hear me? 

 

Hayato: Why are you telling me this!?

 

Fusume: {Confident} It doesn’t matter why you hear me! Just… promise you’re going to fight for your life.

 

Does she… know?

 

Hayato: I… don’t understand Fusume…

 

Fusume: {Hurt} It doesn’t matter if you understand or not… just promise me!

 

Hayato: I… promise. 

 

Fusume: {Genuine smile} Good… that’s all I had to say. Now, go! Make good use of the little time that we’ve got left!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

I couldn’t keep my promise to Fusume… 

 

She sacrificed herself so I’d live… and this is how I repay her. 

 

There is no way… I can make it… is there Fusume?

 

I’m doomed… 

 

I’m… dead…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Hayato! Tell us!

 

Kôzuke: {Grabs the podium like a steering wheel} Y-Yeah man! What’s the deal!? Who’s the mastermind?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I… I…

 

Are they toying with me…? Or do they really not know the truth?

 

Come to think of it, there would be no purpose in giving us those memories if they really remembered their true nature. 

 

Maybe… their memories really were erased… and in that case… they have no idea. 

 

And… I need to break the news to them? This really isn’t my lucky day…

 

They’ll… turn against me… and it’ll be all over. 

 

What… am I supposed to do here?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hayato-kun… what’s all this stalling for!? You have to tell us the truth! 

 

Hayato: You don’t understand… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Hayato, please remember what Raiko used to tell you during the trials. 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} R-Raiko?

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} No matter how hard to accept the truth is… it’s the only way forward isn’t it? 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} So tell us… we’ll be able to handle it!

 

Raiko… I ended up getting so close to her in the end… 

 

But that meant nothing did it? Her signature is on that contract… which means she wanted me dead too. 

 

She was just another player of the game… our friendship was a lie…

 

 

D-Dammit… I have to say it… I have no other choice but to accept the truth!

 

The… truth…

 

{Music : None} 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} The mastermind is… all of you.

 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} What did you just say…?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} Y-Yeah… I think I definitely misheard you man. 

 

Shinto: {Horrified} The f-five of us…?

 

Hayato: No… all 14 students… everyone but Fusume and myself. You all did this. You’re the masterminds behind the killing game!

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 )

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?????

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful} Hayato! Surely you’ve lost your mind!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Contrarily to what you said earlier Shinto, you all weren’t collateral damage in a killing game made to punish me. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} You were willing participants in this game! Your signatures prove that!

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasping podiums} You’re lying! We’re the victims here!

 

Jessie: How… how big is your ego Hayato-kun…? Are you really trying to make it all about you again…? 

 

Jessie: {Facing downwards, tears dripping} I don’t believe you… 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} We lost… so much in this game… and 11 of our peers died. 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, angry} And you claim that we brought this on ourselves voluntarily? 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} That’s the truth Shinto… there is no other way to explain everything that happened. 

 

Hayato: The signatures… the memories… that message on the wall… it’s the only thing that makes sense. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} N-Now hold on a minute, if what you were saying was true man… we’d know about it wouldn’t we?

 

Kôzuke: It’s not really a hypothetical situation here… either we’re these evil people you’re trying to make us out to be… or we're not. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} A-And I know damn well that I’m not the mastermind man… I can’t speak for the others but… I’d know if I had done something like that!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I really am… a victim here. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I could say the same… I know I didn’t organise this killing game… I arrived here with the rest of you. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} S-So did I!

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} You see Hayato… there’s no way what you’re saying is true… we’re no evil geniuses. The mastermind must be someone else. 

 

They’re not getting it… I’ve got to try a different angle.

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Shinto… you’re the one who first agreed with me that we were part of the Final Legion of Despair… so why can’t you accept this?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Y-You can’t compare the two like that! 

 

Shinto: What you’re saying now is that… we’re responsible for the death of everyone so far!

 

Shinto: {Tearing up} Y-Yoko… 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} How dare you imply that… I could have put her in danger willingly like that!?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} I’m sorry Shinto but… it’s the truth. 

 

Shinto: You have… no proof. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Aren’t those signed document proof enough?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} That’s circumstantial at best Hayato-kun. You don’t actually know what it is that we signed. 

 

Hayato: Everybody’s signature but Fusume’s and mine… that doesn’t sound suspicious to you?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Suspicious maybe… but that doesn’t constitute proof. 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf} There’s the signatures… our classmate’s retrieved memories… and all the evidence I presented about our class being the Final Legion of Despair! How is that not enough!?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Man… you’re asking us to believe that we’re the reasons behind all this suffering… you’re definitely gonna need more than that. 

 

How… can I make them understand?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We’re just wasting time here… your theory is nonsensical. Accepting that one of us masterminded the whole game would be hard to accept yet plausible…

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} But… all of us together? Now that’s ridiculous.

 

Jessie: {Sad} Hayato-kun… maybe you’ve put too much pressure on yourself… I think you need a break. 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} N-No…

 

Of course they’d never believe me but… this has to be the truth… the evidence and my logic brought me this far. 

 

So how do I convince them? 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} This just can’t be the right answer… we need to go back a few steps and think it through one more time. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} G-Good… you had me scared for a second man. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Scared of what exactly… Kôzuke-kun?

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Hayato’s argument makes sense… logically I mean… and he backed it up with evidence as well… I just don’t want to believe it. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} From a purely logical standpoint his theory is sound… but we know it not to be true… so it can’t be true. That’s the end of it. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} S-Sure…

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Sorry but the fact that you truly believe in your innocence isn’t proof either. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} What are you talking about!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} If we signed those documents and willingly decided to participate then we’d remember it! It’s as simple as that. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} But Shinto… we don’t remember anything about last year! Those memories must have been suppressed along with the rest! 

 

Shinto: Ggh!

 

Shinto: {Scared, clenched fist} N-No… that’s not possible… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} M-Man… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

 

(Music : None) 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Bingo!

 

Huh?

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} Wh-What do you mean Bingo?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} This isn’t…

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show black side} I’ve had enough of this aimless back and forth… so here’s a little truth bomb for ya!

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Once again, Hayato go it spot on! The mastermind… or rather masterminds behind this entire killing game is none other than the Final Legion of Despair!

 

Monokuma: And that’s you guys!

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} WHAAAAAAAAAAT!?

 

Jessie: {Empty eyes, livid} Us…? He… was right?

 

Shinto: {Panicked, bites hat} N-No… that’s just impossible… you’re lying! 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} How…can this be?

 

I knew it!

 

But… hold on. 

 

They really didn’t know… either they’re incredible actors or… they genuinely don’t remember.

 

If that’s the case… that raises a new question… 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} Monokuma! Stop it with the lies! There’s no way what you’re saying is true!

 

Shinto: {Panicked, bites hat} W-We… just can’t have done this…

 

Shinto: D-Did we… do it?

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, collapses slightly} Y-Yoko… hnngh…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} F-Fuck man… are we the bad guys or are we not? I don’t understand anymore!

 

Kôzuke: {Hits head with helmet} Why… can’t I remember!?

 

Monokuma : {Giggles} Let me answer that one upupupu… 

 

Monokuma : {Turns to show white side} When you all agreed to organise this killing game, you came to the unanimous decision that it’d be a more authentic experience if you didn’t remember anything and acted like clueless innocent participants.

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} So that’s exactly what you did… in order to achieve that goal of yours.

 

Jessie: {Scared} A goal… wh-what goal? 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Haven’t you been listening? Your goal was… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} To torture Hayato Seiki… the man behind the Eden Corp fire!

 

I… got that right too! Can’t say I’m too happy about it though.

 

I’ll have the time to think about what this all means on a deeper level after the trial… for now I need to focus on what matters. 

 

The ethical questions will have to wait I’m afraid. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} So Monokuma… you’re confirming that everything happened as I said, right?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Never shy when it comes to self-praise are ya? 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Now be still and listen as I explain to you all the truth behind this killing game!

 

Shinto: {Panicked, bites hat} It c-can’t be… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} The truth…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Maaaaaaaaaaan!!!

 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} If you’re all done with the screaming, I’ll get started with my explanation. 

 

 

{Black and white frame of Hope’s Peak Academy’s main building} 



Monokuma: Hope’s Peak’s class 77-B were brainwashed into joining Ultimate Despair, the group responsible for the tragedy.

 

Monokuma: After their leader, Junko Enoshima died, most members of Ultimate Despair killed themselves. The only ones who remained were dubbed the Remnants of Despair.

 

Monokuma: 15 of those Remnants were that class 77-B… but sadly, they were captured by the Future Foundation and rendered… obsolete.

 

Kôzuke: The F-Future Foundation…? Who is that?

 

Monokuma: A real pain in my ass… that’s who they are!

 

Monokuma: You don’t need the deets… all you need to know is that class 77-B was out of the picture… but they weren’t the only Remnants from Hope’s Peak left!

 

Hayato: The Final Legion of Despair… right?

 

Monokuma: That’s the one! The 80th Class which was formed one year before they would even start with the main course. That’s you kids!

 

Jessie: What do you mean… one year before?

 

Monokuma: With the number of applicants that Hope’s Peak was dealing with they decided to have two pre-high-school classes if you will. 

 

Monokuma: Those two classes would be recruited a year before their official entry into the school and were prepared for their Hope’s Peak debut. 

 

Monokuma: Those were the 79th and 80th class. Your class was recruited and converted by Ultimate Despair… the 79th class wasn’t so lucky. 

 

Shinto: Converted… you mean brainwashed don’t you?

 

Monokuma: Eh, tomato tom a to. You can call it what you want. 

 

{Black and white frame of the dark silhouette of 15 students of the class, Fusume seems to be missing} 

 

Monokuma: Anyway, class 77-B and yourselves worked in tandem until they got captured… and when that happened you guys became the last talented people remaining… that’s a pretty big deal. 

 

Monokuma: That’s when you became the Final Legion of Despair… despair’s last hope if you will. 

 

Monokuma: But… this all ended with the Eden Corp fire.

 

That fire again… that’s the part I’m still missing… how does it connect to all of this exactly? 

 

Monokuma: That building became the headquarters for the Remnants… Eden Corp was an easy front and they were able to operate from there… until Hayato decided to go all double agent on you.

 

Hayato: D-Double agent?

 

Monokuma: You too were a part of Ultimate Despair Hayato… you’re not better than the others here… sorry to break it to ya.

 

Monokuma: But you decided to change sides and play for the other team… it must be that meddling little ninja’s fault. 

 

Fusume…

 

Monokuma: You all survived the fire… but you were the only ones. 

 

I don’t like the sound of that…

 

Hayato: What do you mean the only ones?

 

Monokuma: Your little arsonist number killed almost everyone in the building… all the remnants… gone… poof, just like that.

 

Kôzuke: G-Gone… you mean…

 

{Black and white frame of a skyscraper on fire} 

 

Monokuma: Hundreds died. It was a true terrorist move… but it was efficient. 

 

Monokuma: The Remnants were no more… with only you fifteen there would have been no chance to refuel the Tragedy. 

 

Monokuma: It was over… hope had won… and despair had lost. 

 

That’s a good thing right? Why is he saying it with such a sad expression?

 

Oh wait… I know why. 

 

Hikari: But… assuming you’re telling the truth, if we survived the fire… why go through with this killing game?

 

Monokuma: You’ve heard of the saying “going out with a bang” haven’t you?

 

Shinto: You mean… 

 

Monokuma: The journey was over, everything you stood for… your goals and aspirations… they had been destroyed by one man… 

 

Jessie: N-No…

 

Monokuma: Might I add that killing games were seen by your idol Junko as a prime way to cause despair. 

 

Monokuma: You all decided that this was the only way to end it… by punishing the person behind your downfall… the traitor who destroyed everything. 

 

Monokuma: So you gathered everyone… captured Fusume, who hadn’t joined you in your journey into despair and who participated into ruining it all. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} And that’s the truth behind the killing game! Hayato got it spot on!

 

 

I… wish I was wrong… 

 

But my suspicions were founded. I knew my logic was sound but… it confirms that everything was indeed a lie. 

 

They did all this… to make me suffer. 

 

All those deaths… because of me. 

 

Monokuma: Welp, hope that answers some of you doubts-

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} I don’t believe it for one second! 

 

Monokuma: {Curious} H-Huh?

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful} It’s a creative story but… I don’t buy it sorry.

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} What do you mean you don’t buy it! It’s not a story! It’s the truth! Since when do I lie in Class Trials?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} You really want me to answer that? 

 

Monokuma: That was a one time thing! And that stupid elephant already busted my balls about it let’s not get caught up with it. 

 

Monokuma: This however… is the absolute truth! I’ve got no reason to lie to y’all do I?

 

Shinto: {Panicked, bites hat} B-But… it can’t be. 

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium} I won’t accept it!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} M-Me neither man… there’s no way we’re actually… those evil people. I don’t wanna believe that. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I just won’t take anything that Monokuma tells us seriously… Believing him is honestly the last thing that we should do. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Hayato’s never gotten that sort of thing wrong before… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} But you can’t expect us to take this sort of accusation lying down can you?

 

Hikari: W-We’ll fight… and we’ll prove that we’re innocent. Right guys!?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Of course… there are still a bunch of holes in that theory of theirs. We’ll have to blow them out of the water!

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} I am not offering a theory! Why can’t you just accept the truth?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Hasn’t sufficient evidence been shown to you four? 

 

Hayato: And as much as I hate to say it, Monokuma’s story holds up. 

 

Jessie: {Grasps podium, angry} H-Hayato-kun… is siding with Monokuma now is he?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} That’s your takeaway from all this? 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} Maybe he’s the mastermind and he’s trying to confuse us! That’s why Monokuma’s helping him!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} That one’s far gone isn’t she?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I didn’t want to believe Hayato at first but… if Monokuma is siding with him then… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} H-He must be wrong! 

 

They’re still fighting me. 

 

If Monokuma told the truth… and they truly suppressed their own memories then I suppose it’s only normal that they won’t believe that they’re part of an evil organisation. 

 

I’m still struggling with the idea myself… but I must convince them one way or another. 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Hey, Charles Dickens!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} He’s talking to me isn’t he?

 

Monokuma: Why don’t we show them how wrong they all are! Hayato and Monokuma style!

 

Hayato: I… said I didn’t want to be associated with you Monokuma… they’ll believe me even less if you’re backing me up on this. 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} You don’t really have anybody else to team up with do ya?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} …

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} … 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} … 

 

Hayato: W-Well… 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} That’s what I thought! Which means that for the first time ever, it’s time for Director Monokuma to appear in a scrum debate! 

 

Monokuma: The Ultimate scrum debate!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I didn’t say I was okay with this… 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} We’ll find a way to prove you wrong… there must be a hole somewhere… and we’ll uncover it. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I’m sorry Hayato… we just can’t give up so easily!

 

Am I really about to team up with Monokuma on this one…?

 

Well… I’ve got nothing to lose anymore do I…

 

Hayato: {Determined} Bring it on then… may the best side win!

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Yes!!! Let’s do this!

 

{Scrum Debate : Start}

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32GWbQt_Zn4

 

The mastermind is someone external to the class

 

Shinto: …

 

Hikari: …

 

Jessie: …

 

Kôzuke: … 

 

Jessie: … 

 

Shinto: … 



The 80th Class masterminded the killing game 

 

Hayato: DIED

 

Hayato : VICTIMS

 

Monokuma : HAYATO

 

Monokuma : SIGNATURES

 

Hayato : MASTERMIND

 

Monokuma : MEMORIES

 

 

Shinto: You seem to have forgotten that we’re victims in this killing game… you’re certainly not the only one who’s suffered Hayato!

 

Hikari: Those signatures prove nothing as long as you can’t present the full contract!

 

Jessie: 11 people died… the mastermind is someone who wanted to have all of them killed!

 

Kôzuke: Whatever our lost memories are… they must be the key to all of this, man. 

 

Jessie: One thing’s for sure… Hayato-kun’s making it all about himself… if we wanted him dead, why is he still alive? 

 

Shinto: The mastermind is someone else… you’ve got it all wrong!

 

{Scrum Debate : Ends} 

 

 

 

 

Answer : 

 

Shinto: VICTIMS

 

Hikari: SIGNATURES

 

Jessie: DIED

 

Kôzuke: MEMORIES

 

Jessie: HAYATO

 

Shinto: MASTERMIND

 

===

 

Shinto: You seem to have forgotten that we’re victims in this killing game… you’re certainly not the only one who’s suffered Hayato!

 

Hayato: You’re no victims! You all willingly participated in this killing game in order to punish me for the Eden Corp fire!




Hikari: Those signatures prove nothing as long as you can’t present the full contract!

 

Monokuma: I still have copies of the contract with your signatures on it… I can easily prove that y’all did in fact organise this little game




Jessie: 11 people died… the mastermind is someone who wanted to have all of them killed!

 

Hayato: Our classmates all signed up for this! They died because they were ready to sacrifice themselves for your cause!




Kôzuke: Whatever our lost memories are… they must be the key to all of this, man. 

 

Monokuma: Your classmates who got their dirty little memories back all became bloodthirsty murderers, doesn’t that sound like Ultimate Despair’s sorta behaviour?




Jessie: One thing’s for sure… Hayato-kun’s making it all about himself… if we wanted him dead, why is he still alive? 

 

Monokuma: Your classmates never targeted Hayato because he had to survive to the very end and experience the despair of watching his friends die!




Shinto: The mastermind is someone else… you’ve got it all wrong!

 

Hayato: No! The mastermind is all of you! That’s the only plausible explanation!

 

{BREAK} 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} I’m sorry everyone… but that’s the truth of this killing game. 

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Wooo! That was fun! Nicely argued partner!!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat) Please don’t ever call me partner again.

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Could it be… we really did this? She died… because of me?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} N-No… Yoko… I’m… s-sorry…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} How could we man? We’re… monsters aren’t we!?

 

Kôzuke: But… if that’s true then.

 

Kôzuke: {Hits head with helmet} Wh-What else did you take from my brain man!? Give it back! Give it back!!!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I was wrong…? How could I be wrong on this?

 

Hikari: What… does this mean…?

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} … 

 

They’re… slowly starting to accept it. I couldn’t ask much more of them. I know how hard this must be. 

 

But it’s the truth… and we must face it if we want to leave this place. 

 

I… don’t even want to think about the implications of what we’ve uncovered…

 

The fire I caused killed hundreds of people… and the friends I made in the past weeks all died because they wanted to punish me for it. 

 

But… we don’t have time for all this… now that I’ve finally made some progress we need to move on… this trial isn’t over just yet. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Thank you for listening to me everyone… I can imagine how hard this must be to deal with… does anybody have something to say before we move on?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Move on…? You want us to move on from the fact that everything we believed to be true was a lie!? That we’re all some sort of sick despair-obsessed monsters that caused the Tragedy!? You think we can just forget about that!?

 

Tell me about it for the first part.

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears horrible}  C’est horrible… mais on ne peut plus vraiment refuser d’y croire si?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} This is who we are… isn’t it? There’ll be time for soul-searching after the trial… but for now I think it’s best to make sure we survive this final bout. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} No matter how hard it is… 

 

Hayato: My thoughts exactly!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} If that’s the case… then I have one last question for you… Monokuma. 

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} For me!? Come on, shoot. I’ll answer if it helps you bastards move on faster from this. You’ve already spent ages on this single topic. 

 

Monokuma: It’s getting kinda boring, I won’t lie to you. 

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} I don’t think that this will bore you… it seems to me that there is one fatal flaw in your explanation.

 

Monokuma: A... flaw you say? Speak your mind why don’t you!

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Okay Monokuma my question is this. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} According to you, we all willingly entered this killing game and then erased all of our memories for authenticity’s sake. Any objection so far?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} None whatsoever… go on, you’ve piqued my interest.

 

Shinto: {Clenches fist, resentful} But surely that creates a huge problem… something that just doesn’t make any sense. 

 

The fact that they all wiped their memories creates… a huge problem? 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Shinto-kun… what problem are you talking about exactly? 

 

Shinto: Well… it’s rather simple… if all of us forgot about our willingness to participate in this killing game then… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, accusatory} Who’s actually controlling Monokuma!?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …!

 

Jessie: {Scared} …

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} M-Man… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} … 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} OH MY GOD!

 

I hadn’t thought about that at all… he’s right, that certainly is a problem. 

 

The killing game can’t function without someone actively operating it… and if all of them really don’t remember anything…

 

We face an impossible situation… 

 

 

Monokuma : {Giggles} Upupupupupupupu…

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Monokuma?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} NYAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

 

I don’t like this reaction one bit. 



Monokuma: {Excited} Excellent question Shinto! I was waiting for someone to bring that up!

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} You are 100% correct in doubting the premise I have presented for y’all.

 

Monokuma: Even though technically the 14 of you are all combined masterminds behind the killing game… you weren’t aware of it until just now!

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} That means that none of you could be the one operating yours truly… or be responsible for orchestrating everything behind the scenes. 

 

Monokuma: Even though most of the game was organised in advance by the lot of you… a killing game requires a ton of work for it to fully function. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} That means that there had to be someone actively masterminding the game after you all wiped your memory… but who could that be?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} That’s… exactly what I asked you!

 

Monokuma: The… true mastermind who remembered everything from the start and controlled the game from within… could it be one of you?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} N-No…

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I was afraid that you’d say that…

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} I mean… it makes sense technically… I can’t understand how this entire resort would operate without somebody controlling everything. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} But… would that person be one of us… that would change quite a few things… 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} L-Like what for example? 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Well… it would mean that somebody wasn’t honest from the start… they knew perfectly well what they were doing… right?

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} You’re saying that one member of our class… lied to us from day one? That can’t be true!

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Ahem… Jessie, my dear. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} What I asked “could it be one of you” that… was clearly a rhetorical question. 

 

Monokuma: Obviously, the true mastermind is a member of your class and, you guessed it, it’s your job to figure out who that person is! 

 

 

The true mastermind huh?

 

One of our classmates who, contrarily to everyone else, kept their memories… 

 

That means that this entire time they knew why this killing game had been organised. 

 

They carried with them this desire to punish me… to harm me.

 

All this time… they had that precise goal in mind.

 

I don’t want to believe that this true mastermind exists but… there’s no other explanation is there?

 

Somebody had to be there to make sure that everything was going to plan… and who else than a participant in the killing game to do that?

 

The 14 of them planned the killing game… but only one of them was actually there to operate it… 

 

That person… is the true enemy. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You want us to figure out… who the true mastermind is? The person who didn’t wipe their memories with the rest of us… is that right?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Indeed! Figuring out the identity of the true mastermind will be your next mission in this Ultimate Class Trial!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} We really didn’t know anything man… but that person really just stood there and watched everyone die knowing that it was our fault… 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} I don’t want to believe that someone could have faked everything like that. 

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} If you want to leave the resort you don’t really have a choice but to believe. 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Only the truth shall set you free!

 

Jessie: {Angry, grasps podium} N-No… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Dammit…!

 

What they’re feeling right now… it’s what I just had to go through a few moments ago. 

 

The realisation that all your relations were a lie… that everything was calculated in advance. 

 

At the end of the day, all of the others ended up in the same situation as myself since they didn’t remember their true intentions. 

 

That’s not the case for that person… whoever they are. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} If you’ll allow me… how exactly are we supposed to find out who this mystery person is exactly?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I can’t think of any evidence that points at their identity… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Hmm… neither can I. Is this task truly feasible Monokuma?

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} Nyahahaha! Don’t you worry kiddos! It’s really not that hard!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} N-Not that hard? 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} As long as you’ve been paying attention since… well, since the very beginning of this killing game, you should have absolutely no problem figuring out who the big bad is!

 

Since the very beginning!!? We’re definitely in trouble huh? 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} …

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You’ve got to be kidding me man!

 

Hikari: {Sad} There’s no way we’ll figure it out in time… 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Oh come on! It’s really not that hard! 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Running a killing game isn’t a piece of cake y’know and our true mastermind definitely made mistakes along the way. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} They made… mistakes?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} The first two trials were nice and simple but after that… sheesh, it wasn’t smooth sailing to say the least! 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} So what you mean to say is that we’ll find the true mastermind by catching them on some errors they made in the past cases?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} That’s it… one crucial blunder per trial for trials three, four and five… if you’ve been paying attention, this should just be a formality. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} R-Right… 

 

So this true mastermind had some missteps in the last three trials? That’s how we’re to figure out their identity?

 

Still, three errors by the same person? Surely we would have noticed…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Monokuma… what exactly do you mean by “mistakes”? What are we actually looking for? 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Just a simple misstep… a slip of the tongue… or just flat out lying to you guys… the real mastermind did it all!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} All of that huh?

 

Correction, we should have noticed… but it appears that this person blindsided us from the very beginning. 

 

I was manipulated… and I fell right into that person’s trap. 

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, bends forward} Just to verify… we’re not limiting ourselves to the five of us, right? This true mastermind of yours could be anyone out of the sixteen of us?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} Correct, you five aren’t the only suspects. The fallen students are totally game!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} But… if they’re dead… how can they still be operating things?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Ever heard of faking one’s death? 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Faking their death… somebody… did that!!?

 

Monokuma: {Amused} I won’t confirm nor deny anything, just know that the option is on the table. 

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} … 

 

Could somebody really have faked their death…? 

 

I’m not sure how that would work logistically but… then again the mastermind clearly has a lot of resources to their disposition so I won’t completely disregard the possibility. 

 

The true mastermind… could be anyone, that’s what makes them so dangerous. 

 

The evidence accuses everyone… which means they’re able to hide in plain sight. 

 

Surely there must be a way to figure out the truth… I just need to figure out how. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Well, I suppose that we have no choice but to discuss what those mistakes could be?

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} I’ve already forgotten most of what happened in those cases man… so long has been going on since!

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Maybe we should just… suggest what comes to mind… and maybe somebody will be able to connect the dots!

 

Jessie: Some good old brainstorming n’est-ce pas ? That’s what got us this far isn’t it?

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, bends forward} Let us rack our brains… and together we will find out the identity of this true mastermind!

 

This is it… 

 

Even though they’re all responsible… all those who lost their memories are pretty much harmless now. 

 

The real enemy… is that true mastermind… and I won’t rest until I figure out who that person is! 

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKidkav6o&t )

 

{Truth Bullets : Class signatures, Victim coverage, 80th Class picture, Weird Telescope, History of the Killing Game}

 

Hikari: {Sad} We’re looking for… the mastermind betraying themselves in some way… 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Monokuma talked about a misstep… maybe that means one of the mastermind’s actions betrays their real identity!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Hmm… what sort of action are you talking about?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I… hadn’t thought that far man!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Whatever it is, the action in question is probably something they did during a class trial.

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, bends forward} Alternatively… Monokuma also mentioned a slip of the tongue… maybe that’s the easiest thing to look for. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} So the mastermind… said something they shouldn’t have?

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} I guess it’s pretty easy to forget that you’re not supposed to remember everything… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} The mistake is probably talking about a subject they shouldn’t have known about! 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Mhm… I’d hope that this terrible mastermind is smart enough not to make such an obvious mistake. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Obvious or not… we didn’t notice anything at the time… so I don’t think it can be anything too obvious. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} The last thing Monokuma talked about was… the mastermind directly lying to us… 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} There can’t be any evidence to prove that… at least I don’t think there is. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I wouldn’t be so sure. Things can take a whole new meaning when put into context… don’t you think?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Gosh… every little detail counts doesn’t it? 

 

Shinto: We have to reconsider everything in light of what we’ve just learnt.

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory}That’s how we’ll make the truth appear!

 

 

These mistakes supposedly make everything clear… but I guess we should take them one by one since none of them are really jumping out to me at the moment. 

 

I just need to take a careful look at the evidence I’ve got on hand and see if any discrepancy shows up. 

 

We’re this close to figuring out the true mastermind’s identity… I can’t let the chance slip. 

 

It’s now or never!

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Victim coverage → There can’t be any evidence to prove that

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

Wait… a second… 

 

Those videos… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hey… one of those buttons has a label on it… it reads “Victim Coverage”

 

Is that what I think it is? 

 

 

Without hesitation, I clicked on it and 7 videos started playing at once. One on each screen. 

 

{Kyia can be seen waking up from Fukami’s trap and slowly making his way to the window where she was resting, 

 

Rina can be seen heading for the Yellow Building, a devilish expression on her face. Yoshi was already waiting for her then.

 

Tadao can be seen setting up his own suicide, he ties a chair to one of the ceiling’s ropes and ties the second one in a noose which he ends up tying around his neck. 

 

Yoko can be seen getting up from her makeshift bed in the Red Building’s east wing and walking towards the waterbath.

 

Raiko can be seen exiting her own room and heading down to the hangar through the Jules Vernes staircase. She makes her way inside the submarine, not knowing that a deadly trap was waiting for her inside of there. 

 

Kenji can be seen waiting inside the Gallery. Waiting for Hayato to show up. 

 

Finally, Fusume can be seen holding Reijiro’s hand inside of the vault in which he was about to kill her. They seem to be having intense eye contact, but his hands creep close to her neck…}

 

N-No… this is… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

I… didn’t pay much attention to it back then… I was too freaked out by the thought of watching the precise moment in which my friends actually died… 

 

But… the truth was here all along. 

 

That footage directly contradicts something that we thought we knew about a case… 

 

It means… one person did lie to us… in an attempt to trick the class. 

 

That person… could they really be the mastermind? 

 

N-No… it cannot be… 

 

The person who lied… who made one of the “mistakes” Monokuma warned us about… 

 

I… can’t get hung up on who that person is and second guess myself. We’re dealing with someone who had no problem deceiving us from the very beginning. 

 

Someone who planned everything… in order to punish me… I just can’t turn my back on that person’s lies. 

 

If we consider that footage then… the answer is clear. 

 

My main suspect as far as who the mastermind… it can only be that person!

 

CHOOSE YOUR SUSPECT:  

 

Hayato: {Determined} … 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} …

 

Fusume

 

Kôzuke : {Grasps medals} … 

 

Jessie: {Scared} … 

 

Kenji  

 

Oriana

 

Raiko

 

Yoshi 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad}  … 

 

Yoko  

 

Kyia  

 

Tadao

 

Fukami

 

Reijiro

 

Rina










Notes:

And so after everything it comes to this, we're about to figure out the identity of the one true mastermind. Just like Monokuma said, I hope you've been paying attention because this one's tricky! Can't wait to hear your theories about who you think's behind it all!

I'll take this opportunity to apologise one last time for the delay on this chapter. I needed a break and at the same time I didn't want to publish something I wasn't proud of, especially when it's one of the last chapters in the fangan so I hope you can forgive me for that.

As for the final three chapters, I know the question will arise so I'll answer it now. I can't guarantee an ETA, it's much harder for me to maintain a schedule now as it was back when I was in school but I'll do my best so that you don't have to wait too long for it.

As always, don't hesitate to leave a comment or to hop in the discord if you have anything to say! I've missed reading what you guys thought about the fic so that's that!

Once again, thank you for your patience and for sticking with me for all this time, we're almost at the end and I hope you'll enjoy this one final ride with me!

Thanks one last time for reading and I'll see you in the next one ;)

TLDR : Had to take a break for work + personnal reasons, no ETA just yet for the next chapter but I'm definitely not taking another break before I finish the fic so you shouldn't have to wait too long!

Chapter 68: Chapter 6 : Death is but the Next Great Adventure : Class Trial part 3

Notes:

Not quite back to the biweekly schedule I'm aiming for but it's finally out.

The final class trial is reaching it's climax… and it's time to accuse the true mastemind!

Hope you enjoy this one :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

{Select Hikari} 

 

{Flashback} 

 

 ???: I’m sorry but who are you, and where are we exactly?

 

Cheerful ponytail girl: {Centers Tie} It’s true I haven’t introduced myself, well my name is Hikari Hisano, nice to meet you! And to answer where we are I have no idea, I woke up in a room just like you!

 

Hikari, that’s a nice name… Wait a sec, if she’s like me is she…?

 

???: The last thing I remember was heading in to my first day at Hope’s Peak…

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Oh my god same here, and the other said the exact same thing! {Scribbles in notepad} What a strange coincidence.

 

There are others?

 

 

???: If you were also going to Hope’s Peak, are you an ultimate student as well?

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Absolutely, haha sorry I should have said so earlier, I am the Ultimate Journalist!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

The first person I met here… 

 

My first friend in the resort in fact. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: Hey Hikari, are you doing alright?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Ngh…

 

Hayato: I know this has been hard on you but… we must all work together right?

 

Hikari: …

 

Hayato: We’re going to find a way out of this place! I promise! We’re going to-

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Get away from me.

 

Hayato: W-what?

 

Hikari: {Sneers with angry expression} I said get the hell away from me. Is it that hard to understand?

 

Hayato: Hikari, what’s wrong?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} P-please… I need to be alone. Sorry

 

Hayato: No wait!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

We had rough patches, sure… but in the end it brought us closer together. I considered her a true friend.

 

Except… none of that was real… was it?

 

(Music : None)

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Hikari… why did you lie to us about your involvement after Raiko’s murder?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} M-Me!? What are you talking about!?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hikari-chan!?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} You don’t mean to say that Hikari is… you know…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Hayato… where is this coming from? 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} And… what exactly are you accusing me of?

 

Hayato: {Bitter} In the mastermind’s hideout… we found a video that showed the victim’s last moment in every single case we’ve had to deal with so far. 

{Flashback} 

 

Without hesitation, I clicked on it and 7 videos started playing at once. One on each screen. 

 

{Kyia can be seen waking up from Fukami’s trap and slowly making his way to the window where she was resting, 

 

Rina can be seen heading for the Yellow Building, a devilish expression on her face. Yoshi was already waiting for her then.

 

Tadao can be seen setting up his own suicide, he ties a chair to one of the ceiling’s ropes and ties the second one in a noose which he ends up tying around his neck. 

 

Yoko can be seen getting up from her makeshift bed in the Red Building’s east wing and walking towards the waterbath.

 

Raiko can be seen exiting her own room and heading down to the hangar through the Jules Vernes staircase. She makes her way inside the submarine, not knowing that a deadly trap was waiting for her inside of there. 

 

Kenji can be seen waiting inside the Gallery. Waiting for Hayato to show up. 

 

Finally, Fusume can be seen holding Reijiro’s hand inside of the vault in which he was about to kill her. They seem to be having intense eye contact, but his hands creep close to her neck…}

 

{Ends Flashback}




Hikari: {Flips through notes} Sure I remember that… but what does that have do with me?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} It’s got… everything to do with you Hikari. 

 

Hikari: {Grip tightens on notepad, hurt} What… what are you talking about? 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I think… I’ve lost you Hayato man… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Explain yourself at once!

 

Hikari’s lie… I should show them when it happened, more specifically in which video.

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I’d like you to focus on this person’s video:

 

{Kyia/Rina/Tadao/Raiko/Fusume}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Raiko

 

===

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Hayato: {Bitter} The truth… you’ll find it in Raiko’s video. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} R-Raiko-chan? But… you can’t see anything at all in her video!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Y-Yeah man… it just shows her walking from her room to the hangar… nothing else to it. 

 

Shinto: Nothing else to it…

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} N-Nothing, you say!?

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} Shinto… you get it don’t you?

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, collapses slightly} Hnngh… 

 

Hikari: {Frustrated, points with finger} Shinto! You too? What’s going on with you guys today!?

 

Hikari: {Sad} I still don’t know what you think I did…

 

Her eyes… 

 

N-No… there’s no way I’m falling for her tricks again. 

 

I’ll have to prove my point with evidence and logic… and I won’t let her get away with what she’s done. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Very well… please remember what Hikari told us back during Raiko’s trial. 

 

Hayato: More specifically… her story after she was accused of Raiko’s murder. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} It’s you… what are you doing here late at night!?

 

Hikari: I should be asking you the same question you know…

 

Raiko: {Bites lip} I’m close to figuring it out… I can’t be interrupted… 

 

Hikari: Figuring… what out?

 

Raiko: {Grimace} Everything! I think… that I understand everything!

 

Hikari: Raiko… I don’t know what you’re telling me… 

 

Raiko: {Serious glare} That… doesn’t matter… I need your help!

 

Hikari: My help?

 

Raiko: Please… just do as I say and do not question me!

 

Hikari: Raiko… why should I trust you? How do I know this isn’t some sort of trap?

 

Raiko: {Hides behind umbrella} I have no time to reason with you… just please… have faith in me… our lives could all be at stake… 

 

Hikari: Faith… in you?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} You told us that you met her in the hallway and that she instructed you to frame Kenji… right before she died.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} … 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} But… that’s just not the case is it… that video clearly shows that you lied to us in your account back then. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Th-That’s right man… 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} You really were innocent… Oriana turned out to be the true killer… that means that you had no reason to lie to us… 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} So why Hikari…? Please explain. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Convince me that you’re not the mastermind!

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 )

 

Hikari: {Grip tightens on notepad, hurt} …

 

Kôzuke:  {Grasps medals} WHAAAAAAAAT!?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Y-You’re accusing Hikari-chan of being the mastermind!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} … 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I can’t believe you’d say something like that to me Hayato… of course I’m not the mastermind!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Who do you take me for exactly? Some kind of monster!? I’m your friend, remember?

 

No… that tactic won’t work on me this time.

 

I must pursue the truth… no matter what. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Hikari… please answer the question?

 

Hikari: {Sad} Hayato… I can’t believe you’d doubt me like that. Not after everything we’ve been through together. 

 

Hayato: {Angry, pulls on scarf} Answer!!!

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} …

 

Hayato: {Defeated} Of course I don’t want to believe it but… Monokuma told us that the mastermind lied to us in a previous case… and evidently what you told us during Raiko’s trial wasn’t the truth… so please explain yourself!

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Hayato-kun… 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} … 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} He’s right Hikari… your integrity is being questioned… so please tell us the truth. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} I… I… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )

 

Hikari: I just don’t know what to tell you guys… I didn’t lie… I told you exactly what happened back then… I had no reason to interfere with the crime scene without her intervention did I?

 

Hayato: {Bitter} I see… so you’re not even going to defend yourself. 

 

Hikari: {Frustrated, points with finger} It’s the truth… what else do you want me to tell you!?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} But then… what about the video? Why can’t we see you interacting with Raiko? Surely you understand the problem here.

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} It m-makes no sense at all man! 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} For all we know… that video’s a fake!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But why would Monokuma fake a video in this particular trial… aren’t we meant to be figuring out the truth about the resort?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Giving us falsified information would be counterproductive!

 

Hikari: {Grip tightens on notepad, hurt} I don’t know… I don’t make the rules here!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Unless of course… you do. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} That video… it’s a fake! It must be!

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} But… how exactly do you propose it was faked? There are no cuts in the footage so it would be pretty hard to mask an entire conversation.

 

Hikari: {Sad} H-How should I know… ask Monokuma! All I know is that I’m being framed here!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} W-Well Monokuma? What of it? 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} As if you even need to ask me… these videos are 100% authentic like the rest of the evidence I’ve provided. 

 

Monokuma: It’s like Duolingo over there said… giving you falsified evidence would go against the very principles of this trial. 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} W-Well… we heard it from the man himself. 

 

Kôzuke: O-Or the bear himself… if you will. 

 

Hikari: {Frustrated, points with finger} H-He’s lying! There’s no way that video’s real!

 

Hikari: {Sad} I know I talked to her… I remember it clearly. 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} W-Well… she doesn’t seem to be lying… 

 

Hayato: I’m sorry but… Hikari’s apparent honesty just isn’t enough to convince me that she’s innocent. 

 

Hikari: {Angrily rips page from notepad} …

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} And conversely, your sudden doubt of my intentions isn’t enough to prove my guilt… wouldn’t you agree?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Well… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Monokuma, is there really no way to prove the authenticity of that video?

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Not really… 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} But that wouldn’t be necessary… would it?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} What… do you mean?

 

Monokuma: {Amused} Don’t you remember what I said earlier…? About the way you’d figure out the real mastermind’s true identity?

 

What he said about… the real mastermind?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Sad} There’s no way we’ll figure it out in time… 

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show dark side} Oh come on! It’s really not that hard! 

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Running a killing game isn’t a piece of cake y’know and our true mastermind definitely made mistakes along the way. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} They made… mistakes?

 

Monokuma: {Blank expression} The first two trials were nice and simple but after that… sheesh, it wasn’t smooth sailing to say the least! 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} So what you mean to say is that we’ll find the true mastermind by catching them on some errors they made in the past cases?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} That’s it… one crucial blunder per trial for trials three, four and five… if you’ve been paying attention, this should just be a formality. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} R-Right… 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Are you saying that we’re supposed to… use the other mistakes to prove her guilt!?

 

Hikari: {Grip tightens on notepad, hurt} …

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} I didn’t say anything at all… but it’s true that the mastermind had more than one blunder so… you can conclude what you want from that. 

 

He’s… definitely implying it… we won’t be able to prove that Hikari’s the true mastermind with the video alone.

 

If… she’s truly the one who kept her memories… the “real” mastermind… then there must be other things we can do to prove it. 

 

Monokuma talked about three mistakes, one for each of the latter trials. 

 

That means there are still two we haven’t found yet… one for trials three and five respectively.

 

I… still very much hope to be wrong in my reasoning… I guess the truth will become clear in the next few moments… one way or the other.

 

Hayato: We won’t get anywhere arguing about the veracity of the video… Hikari can’t prove that it’s fake and we can’t prove that it isn’t. 

 

Hikari: {Frustrated, points with finger} It’s innocent until proven guilty…  so why am I expected to have to prove that I didn’t do what you’re accusing me of… whatever that is.

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} We’re supposed to figure out who the true mastermind is right? That’s the goal of this trial… if we do it we’ll be allowed to leave. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} But… how do we do that exactly? There’s nothing else that points at Hikari… which means we’re back to square one. 

 

Is that so? I’m not sure I agree. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} For now… we should probably see if we can find some of those other mistakes Monokuma is talking about. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} If they point at Hikari it will confirm our suspicions and if it’s directed at somebody else then we’ll have to reconsider.

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} It shouldn’t point at me… I’ve done nothing wrong!

 

Hayato: {Bitter} I guess we’ll see. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Hayato… you won’t win… you can be sure of that.

 

I beg to differ… 

 

Jessie: {Determined} Let’s brainstorm! Hopefully we’ll find something. 

 

Yes, we have to… or it’ll all have been for nothing.

 

Hikari… is it true… did you really do this?

 

Everybody’s responsible… but are you the real mastermind?

 

This… is when the truth comes out!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXSH3q8F96E)

 

{Truth Bullets : Monokuma Bulletin, Weird Eye machine, Victim Coverage, Inscription in the hideout, Mastermind’s plan of the resort}

 

Hikari: {Sad} We’re… all masterminds, that’s the truth that we have uncovered. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} And… I understand your reasoning for accusing me. That video is pretty damning evidence…

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} But it’s a fake… you have to believe me!

 

Hikari: There’s no way that this video is real! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Well… if it was fabricated to frame Hikari-chan… it would definitely get rid of our doubts… wouldn’t it?

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Maybe so, but we probably won’t manage to prove such a thing… so there must be another lie hidden somewhere. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} I… did not… lie… I’ve been nothing but useful this entire time!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} We’re looking at… both double murders right?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Yes… according to Monokuma, those two trials are the ones in which we have yet to uncover the full truth! 

 

Hikari: {Sad} As I said… I did nothing wrong in either of those cases!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I kept everyone in check back when the emotions motive was threatening… and I helped to turn the fire off which probably saved Kôzuke and Jessie’s lives… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Do you really think the true mastermind would do those things?

 

Kôzuke: {Grips podium like a steering wheel} She… kind of has a point man… Hikari’s the last person I would have suspected to be evil…

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} Then again… we’re all evil aren’t we?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} If it’s not Hikari… it must be someone else.

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Does anybody know of any evidence that might point at another suspect? 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} If I knew something… I would have said it when I had the chance. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Such evidence… it must be somewhere…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Everyone… please believe me! 

 

 

Is Hikari the true mastermind? 

 

If I can prove it… now’s the time to do so.

 

I’ll have to think extra hard about this one… there’s no room for errors! 

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Mastermind’s plan of the resort → the true mastermind would do those things?



===

 

Hayato: {Close up on face} THAT’S WRONG



{BREAK}

 

I found it… another inconsistency… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Hikari… I’d like to address another inconsistency in your behaviour in the past. 

 

Hikari: {Frustrated, pointing with fingers} Y-You’re not seriously going to continue on this path are you? 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} There’s more… against her?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Just now… you talked about how you helped to put out the fire in the evidence locker right before Fusume died. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} What now? Are you going to claim that I lied about that too!?

 

Hayato: {Bitter} No… you did it. I was there, I remember it perfectly well. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Before I really understood what was going on… some of the others finally arrived. 

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I’ve got a fire extinguisher-

 

Hikari: {Distressed} W-Wait… where’s Kôzuke?

 

Hayato: That was… super fast Hikari!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I'm observant, I'd spotted the extinguisher when we first investigated the building which meant I knew exactly where to find it!

 

Shinto: {Shocked} Guys, what’s going on-

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Yeah… I did that… so what’s your point? 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I’m not sure what you’re accusing Hikari of either man…

 

Shinto: {Frowns} She definitely did help back then. I can also attest to it. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Yes, she did it… she brought a fire extinguisher and was ready to put out the fire… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} But that’s exactly my problem with her actions!

 

Hikari: {Angrily rips page from notepad} Wh-What!?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Y-You really have a problem with that?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Surely… you’ve lost your mind by now Hayato… or you just have a bone to pick with me. It’s one or the other. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} No… there’s a third option… and that’s the fact that you lied to us… once again. 

 

Hikari: {Grip tightens on notepad, hurt} … 

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, points with finger} Go ahead Hayato, tell us what you mean. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It’ll all be explained if you take a look at this map which we found in the mastermind’s hideout. 

 

{Mastermind’s map is shown on screen} 

 

Hayato: As I think you’ll notice, this plan of the resort is much more complex than anything we’ve been given. 

 

Shinto: Right, it shows off the different secret passages as well as some hidden items around the resort. 

 

Hayato: Hidden items like… fire extinguishers. 

 

Hikari: Hnnngh! 

 

Hayato: I don’t remember seeing any extinguishers out in the open… at all. And according to this map they were all hidden in places that nobody but the mastermind could have had access to. 

 

Hayato: So Hikari… 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Please tell us how you got your hands on that extinguisher in the first place!

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0 )

 

Hikari: {Angrily rips page from notepad} Ghhnnnrk!!!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… I… I just found it there… against a wall. It wasn’t hidden at all! I stumbled upon it while running around the building after the fire broke out!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Is… is that so?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} Of course! I’m telling the truth!

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} You stumbled upon it after the start of the fire… but that’s not what you told us back then… you told us you found it upon first investigating the Green Building! 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} R-Right… that’s what happened sorry.

 

Hayato: {Bitter} But then… how come none of us saw that fire extinguisher in the days that separate our initial investigation of the Green Building and the fire!?

 

Hayato: I know for a fact I didn’t see any old extinguisher lying around… it would have felt out of place among the futuristic decoration of the Green Building

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} I’m afraid I didn’t see it either. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Me neither man… then again I don’t know if my investigation was very thorough. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Mine was… and I certainly didn’t see anything of the sort!

 

Hikari: {Angrily rips page from notepad} A-Ah…!

 

Hayato: {Bitter} So Hikari… not only did you lie about the moment you discovered it but you also produced an extinguisher out of mid-air when we most needed it!

 

Hayato: {Determined} Something that only a person with special knowledge of the resort could have done!

 

Hikari: {Grip tightens on notepad, hurt} I didn’t lie! I’m just under a lot of pressure right now… I got confused, that’s all!

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} And about the extinguisher… I genuinely found it against a wall in the corridor… I don’t know anything about this special map!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Surely you have to agree that it’s odd that none of us saw that extinguisher in all of three days… yet you suddenly stumbled upon it right after a fire started?

 

Hikari: {Sad} It’s odd but… it’s nowhere near enough to prove that I’m whatever you’re accusing me of. It’s nothing but a coincidence I tell you!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} A… coincidence?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Or… I know! The true mastermind must have released the fire extinguisher from it’s secret location as I was searching for it… so they wouldn’t need to get their hands dirty themself!

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} It was in their best interest for the first to be turned off quickly wasn’t it?

 

Kôzuke: {Bloodshot eyes} That’s… not impossible. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} The fire was put out by sprinklers… so really the mastermind didn’t need you to get that fire extinguisher.

 

Hikari: {Grip tightens on notepad, hurt} W-Well… once again it must be the true culprit trying to frame me… I can’t think of any other option!

 

I can think of one… you’re a big fat liar. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} That’s two trials… and two mistakes pointing at Hikari… it’s going to be complicated to argue that both are coincidental.

 

Shinto: {Bends forward, finger pointing} But… I suppose it’s not impossible that the true mastermind is framing Hikari. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} But… but… 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Sorry Hayato, we can’t quite disregard the possibility just yet.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} It’s not a possibility, it’s the truth… and I’m starting to grow tired of Hayato targeting me with these outlandish accusations. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} What’s your problem with me huh?

 

I haven’t done enough just yet… and she’s still not giving up. 

 

The next step must then be to-

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Don’t forget! I did say there were three mistakes by the mastermind! You’re still missing one!

 

Hikari: {Grip tightens on notepad, hurt} Wh-What are you doing? Why are you…

 

Monokuma: {Turns to show white side} Sorry! Couldn’t help myself, I’ll be quiet now. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} … 

 

That’s… odd. 

 

If Hikari’s the true mastermind then Monokuma must be controlled by her… or at least, they’re on the same side… so why is he giving us hints like that? 

 

What could this mean?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Well, it doesn’t hurt to give it a shot. The last trial that we have to talk about is trial number three. We’re still missing something from there right?

 

Hikari: {Sad} It won’t point at me… it shouldn’t… 

 

Jessie: {Thoughtful} So… we’re looking for a potential incoherence of… unresolved mystery during Yoko-chan and Tadao-kun’s murders. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Ggggh… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} S-sorry I think i’ll have to sit this one out.

 

Jessie: Understandably so Shinto-kun… sorry for bringing back hurtful memories. 

 

An unresolved mystery back during the first double murder… 

 

It rings a bell… there is one thing that struck me as odd at that time that we never ended up talking about… 

 

I’ve got it on the tip of my tongue… that unresolved detail… it's:

 

{Footprints/Handprints/Bloodstains}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Footprints

 

===

 

Yes… I remember now. 

 

{Flashback}

 

Hayato: Is… is that blood?

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} No, we’ve already checked… it’s just water… with a sort of dye in it. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} This was likely done by Monokuma to freak us out even more… while under the influence of that machine, we’d most likely have thought it was blood… a lot of it. 

 

Even without being under the influence, it still looks like blood to me… 

 

Hayato: And what about that…? What is that!?

 

{Camera shows footprints which seem to indicate someone walking out of the waterbath into the east side} 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} W-Wow! I hadn’t seen those! 

 

Hayato: Could it mean… that somebody crossed the waterbath?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} Hm… don’t think so. Monokuma did say that we’d get executed for that… and to my knowledge, nobody’s been executed tonight. 

 

Hayato: Oh okay… phew. 

 

{Ends flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} I’ve got it. I know what the final mistake was. 

 

Kôzuke: Y-You do!?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} What will it be this time…?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} You’ll remember this one Hikari, you were with me when we discovered red footprints coming out of the waterbath from the night before the murder. 

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} That… might have happened. 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Look carefully in those notes of yours… I think you’ll find that it definitely happened. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Hikari was quick to disregard the whole thing… she said that if somebody had crossed the waterbath at night they would have been executed and that we shouldn’t worry about it. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Je comprends… I think that makes sense, yes. Nobody got executed so it’s the logical conclusion

 

Hayato: Of course… but there’s one more possibility… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} That the person who crossed the waterbath didn’t get executed… because they were the mastermind who had every right to break the rules!

 

Hikari: {Frustrated, points with finger} That’s… that’s… 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} It would explain the footprints but… you can’t prove that those prints belong to Hikari can you?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} That’s right… it could have been anybody who slept in the West Wing that night! I’m not the only suspect!

 

She’s right… the fact that those footprints belonged to the mastermind isn’t enough to link her to everything. 

 

I’m so close… if she’s the one who crossed the waterbath, then surely there must be some way of proving that. 

 

Like Fusume used to say… people leave traces. There must be something that I’m not thinking about here. 

 

Evidence… that would prove that those prints belong to Hikari.

 

Focus Hayato… it’s now or never. Sink or swim. 

 

The proof it’s… it’s… 

 

===

 

Hangman’s Gambit

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csp8A4G7y-c

 

Question: What proves that Hikari crossed the waterbath that night ?

 

-----

 

I A O H H S S K S R I E



===

 

… 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : H I K A R I S  S H O E S

 

===

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34 )

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It’s actually quite possible to prove that those red footprints belong to Hikari!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} You’re not serious. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} H-How… doy ou intend to do that exactly?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Once again… it’s the laundry that betrays you. 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} L-Laundry?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Smiles} Station B’s got a perfectly functional washing machine! If Kurozo won’t wash our clothes like Monokuma used to then we’ll have to do it ourselves!

 

Oriana: {Shocked} N-No way!

 

THAT shocked her!?

 

Hikari: {Flips through notes} I've already used it once after my shoes got dirty the other day, and it's very easy to use!

 

She put… her shoes in the washing machine!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} That's cool and all but man… who’s going to do it?

 

Hikari: {Passionate stance} I will! I volunteer as tribute!

 

Oriana: {Shocked} …

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} … Such a generous offer…

 

Fusume: {Confident} Are you sure Hikari? We could organise some sort of rotating system-

 

Hikari: {Smiles} No can do! It was my idea and I’ll do it!

 

Hikari: I really don’t mind!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} It’s the laundry that led us to think you were behind Raiko’s murder… but what’s interesting is what you said back then. 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You had already used the washing machine once when “your shoes got dirty.” 

 

Hikari: {Angrily rips page from notepad} Ggggggghnk!

 

Hayato: I can’t think of too many ways for your shoes to become so dirty that you had no choice but to wash them… unless perhaps they were reddened by the waterbath. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} They were soiled by the red water when you crossed the waterbath, breaking the rules in the process!

 

Hikari: {Angrily rips page from notepad} N-No!!

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Before you say that it’s yet another coincidence… Monokuma gave us several identical outfits which means that the shoes you’re wearing right now… must be the same that you were wearing back then. 

 

Hayato: By comparing the bottom of your shoes with those footprints… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} It’ll be easy to prove that you’re the one who crossed the waterbath!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} No… no… no no no no no no… 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Hikari-chan… 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Show us Hikari… show us now!

 

Hikari: {Sad} N-No… 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} Hikari… I can’t believe it. 

 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} That’s… that’s not all!

 

Jessie: It’s not!?

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} There’s one more piece of evidence… one that will prove Hikari’s true identity once and for all. 

 

Hikari: {Grip tightens on notepad, hurt} Stop… stop!

 

I’ve just thought about it… a piece of evidence that didn’t strike me as odd upon first discovering it but… now that I think about it from a new light… it’s true meaning becomes apparent. 

 

Judging by what we know of this trial… the true purpose of this trial… and knowing who the true mastermind is…

 

The final piece of evidence… the last nail of the coffin… it’s this!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Article on Caspian’s death

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: “They can’t know where this happened”… that’s what was scribbled on this article of Jiro’s murder. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grips podium like a steering wheel} H-Hey… I remember seeing that! 

 

Shinto: The mastermind didn’t want us to know where Jiro died… that’s my conclusion

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But… what’s that got to do with Hikari-chan?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} It’s quite simple actually. 

 

Hayato: As you said, the mastermind didn’t want us to find out the location of Jiro’s murder… what’s interesting here is the word choice in that scribble. 

 

Kôzuke: W-Word choice?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} You’re the Ultimate Author all right… 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} They can’t “know” where it happened… not “remember” but “know”. Which means that even before your memories were erased, you probably didn’t know where Jiro died. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} S-Sure… but what of it?

 

Hayato: If we follow that logic… we can conclude that only the mastermind knew the scene of his death… that’s the only way to explain that scribble. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} But that means… 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} That’s right, we know of one person who definitely was aware of where Jiro died… it’s right there in the article.

 

{Closeup of the picture of Hikari shocked next to the body}

 

Hayato: That person is you, Hikari Hisano… the true mastermind!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

 

 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} H-Hikari-chan

 

Hikari: {Head down, trembling} You… you… you

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Hikari: {Intense expression, spins pen on finger} You just don’t know when to stop snooping do you… Hayato. 

 

That look on her face… I’ve never seen her like that before.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} It’s because of you… that all of this happened… all those lives were lost… because of you. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} But the killing game it’s-

 

Hikari: {Snarls with angry expression} I didn’t say I was finished. 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} Nnngh…

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} None of this would have happened… if you hadn’t betrayed us Hayato… you can only blame yourself for this!

 

Hayato: {Bitter} What… what are you saying?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} We might have masterminded this game… but we couldn’t let you go without any sort of consequence could we?

 

Hikari: {Sad} You ruined everything… all our plans… our dreams… you spoiled it all because of your stupid guilty conscience. 

 

Hikari: {Slams fist on podium} And now… you pay the price!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} W-W-W-W-WHAAAAT!?

 

Jessie: {Empty eyes, livid} Hikari-chan… is this really you?

 

Hikari: {Intense expression, spins pen on finger} Of course… you don’t know how liberating it feels to finally be myself after all those weeks of pretending. 

 

Hikari: Happy go lucky Hikari there, smiley Hikari there. 

 

Hikari: {Slams fist on podium} You have no idea how degrading that was

 

The real Hikari… I don't want to believe it… that’s her true personality?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Y-You can’t have faked it all… there’s no way-

 

Hikari: {Annoyed, halts with hand} Silence. 

 

Hikari: {Intense expression, spins pen on finger} It’s a shame you three don’t remember a thing about what happened… you wouldn’t look at me with those frightened faces… you’d know what I’m talking about. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} So… the true mastermind, it’s really you. 

 

Hikari: {Annoyed, halts with hand} Does it change much? We all shared equal parts in masterminding this killing game… we just needed someone to work everything behind the scenes once everybody was set back to their… more innocent self. 

 

Hayato: But… this whole time you knew everything… you manipulated us and lied to us… didn’t you?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Somebody had to do it. I would have prefered to have my head emptied like the others, trust me…

 

Hikari: {Snarls with angry expression} Every single moment I’ve spent with you… I’ve been wanted to kill you myself… Hayato. 

 

N-No… that can’t be… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

 ???: I’m sorry but who are you, and where are we exactly?

 

Cheerful ponytail girl: {Centers Tie} It’s true I haven’t introduced myself, well my name is Hikari Hisano, nice to meet you! And to answer where we are I have no idea, I woke up in a room just like you!

 

Hikari, that’s a nice name… Wait a sec, if she’s like me is she…?

 

???: The last thing I remember was heading in to my first day at Hope’s Peak…

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} Oh my god same here, and the other said the exact same thing! {Scribbles in notepad} What a strange coincidence.

 

There are others?

 

 

???: If you were also going to Hope’s Peak, are you an ultimate student as well?

 

Hikari: {Scribbles in notepad} Absolutely, haha sorry I should have said so earlier, I am the Ultimate Journalist!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari…

 

Hikari: {Intense expression, spins pen on finger} But no… you had to survive until the end… so that your despair would be maximised. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} How can you… even think like that. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Hikari-chan… y-you’re scaring me. 

 

Hikari: {Annoyed, halts with hand} Oh please… it truly is a shame you don’t remember anything.

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} I can’t believe you’ve been pretending… all this time.

 

Hayato: {Bitter} …

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Congrats everyone! You’ve figured out the identity of the true mastermind, it’s Hikari Hisano, the Ultimate Journalist! 

 

Hikari: {Annoyed, halts with hand} Silence. Now’s not your time to speak. 

 

Monokuma: {Sad} Oh… my bad then. 

 

Hikari: {Snarls with angry expression} I truly… hate that bear. 

 

Wait… what!? But… she organised the killing game so then…

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} Hikari-chan… the true mastermind. How could you… 

 

Hikari: {Annoyed, halts with hand} I won’t comment on the irony… but I’ll say this

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Hate me all you want… I’m not the real enemy here. 

 

Hayato: Not the real enemy…? Then who is?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} You’re going to say that it’s Hayato, right? He’s responsible for the fire-

 

Hikari: {Annoyed, halts with hand} No… Hayato’s nothing but a nuisance in the grand scheme of things. That’s not who I’m talking about. 

 

A nuisance huh? 

 

Seriously though… who could she be talking about? Who… could the real enemy be. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} I know that you want answers… but there’s one more thing we need to go through before we can get to the final part of this trial. 

 

Shinto: The… final part?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Hayato. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Y-Yes?

 

She’s… become so intimidating. 

 

Hikari: You’ve talked at great length of Jiro’s death… but you still know nothing of the true circumstances of his death… Do you? 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} You don’t know who killed him… why he died… or who he even was.

 

Hikari: This will be your next line of inquiry. Only once you present the whole truth will we continue. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} B-But… we got the right answer! We figured out who the true mastermind was… what’s the point of all this!?

 

Hikari: {Annoyed, halt with hand} You’ll do it… because I say so. 

 

Hikari: {Snarls with angry expression} You don’t want to be executed… do you?

 

Hikari: I have the power to do just that if you don’t comply… isn’t that right… Monokuma?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} That’s right! You better do what the chief says alright!?

 

Shinto: The chief…?

 

The truth about Jiro’s murder… I was wondering when that would come up… 

 

Looks like it’s finally time to expose the truth behind the incident that’s been looming over this killing game all this time.

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Okay Hikari… we’ll figure out the truth if that’s what you want. 

 

Hikari: Good boy. Now get on with it and stop yapping.

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Once again… we’re left without a choice but to discuss this matter.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} My head… my poor head. 

 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Since you’re asking us to investigate this matter… it wouldn’t be unfair to assume that… one of us killed him correctly.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} One of us?

 

Shinto:  Going by everything that’s happened thus far… it’s not impossible that the culprit is a student of our class… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Hnngh… but… but why!? 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} H-Hey… how do we know that Jiro’s death wasn’t an accident?

 

How do we know that? Well… that’s quite simple. The answer is : 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Monokuma File #0

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Jiro’s autopsy… or rather, the Monokuma File #0… it gives the cause of death as : a broken neck after being pushed down a set of stairs… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Jiro was killed! That’s for certain. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Sound logic as usual… you never disappoint do you Hayato?

 

She’s taunting me… but she won’t get inside my head this time. 

 

Hikari: {Intense expression, spins pen on finger} Your assumption is correct… Jiro was murdered by a participant in this killing game… but can you figure out who that is?

 

Kôzuke: The murderer’s… one of us… again?

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Perhaps you should start by locating where this murder took place… since you surmised that this was a matter of the upmost importance. 

 

Jessie: Where he was killed… huh?

 

The… location of the murder… I can pretty much take a guess at this point. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Very well, Hikari… I believe that Tadao was killed… here!

 

{Inside the resort/Inside the Legion of Despair’s headquarters/Inside Kuzuryu’s office}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: Inside the Legion of Despair’s headquarters

 

===

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} A murder that took place just before the killing game was to begin… and a victim who was meant to participate with the rest of us… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} The most likely answer is… at the Final Legion of Despair’s headquarters! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} The headquarters…? So the Eden Corp building?

 

Kôzuke: N-No man… it had been burnt down already… this must be some other place!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} If Jiro really died at those headquarters… it would definitely point at one of us being the killer… and that would explain why Hikari didn’t want us to find out… until now. 

 

Hikari: {Intense expression, spins pen on finger} Another marvelous guess. What you can see on this crime scene picture is where we handled operations after the Eden Corp headquarters were destroyed in the fire. 

 

I see… so my guess was right. I definitely got lucky this time.

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} You’ve determined where the murder took place… and limited the number of possible suspects to the 16 of us… you’re getting closer and closer to the truth. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grips podium like a steering wheel} Wh-What now though… how do we figure out which of the 16 it was. 

 

Hikari: Magnanimous as I am… I’ll give you another hint. 

 

Hikari: {Intense expression, spins pen on finger} Jiro was the real Caspian… but Tadao Yamateko masqueraded as him in the resort… why was that… and who was he?

 

Tadao… 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Tadao: {Head down} Y’know… you guys really have to make a big deal out’a nothing…

 

Jessie: {Confused} … Tadao-kun?

 

Tadao: {Head down} Real pain in my ass… but I guess it was gonna happen eventually.

 

What… is he saying?

 

Tadao: {Head down} Y’all want the truth… {Looks up, malicious grin} Here’s the truth.

 

{Tadao takes his hood off, he attaches his scarf on his back like a cape, he pulls his sleeves up and finally he takes off his armband and uses it as a hairband, keeping his hair off his face}

 

His appearance completely changed… and his eyes…

 

Tadao: {Malicious grin} Sup, hope y’all recognise me better with the cape on!

 

Jessie: {Crying} T-Tadao-kun…

 

Tadao: Yeah, yeah, some people call me Caspian, the real question is…

 

 

Tadao: {Heinous} What the hell are you gonna do about it?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Until very recently, we were under the impression that he was Caspian, the caped kidnapper. 

 

But that was a lie… the real Caspian was Jiro while Tadao was nothing but a fake. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} We know that he wasn’t actually a member of our class… but isn’t that all the information we have on him?

 

Hayato: No not quite… there is a piece of evidence that tells us who he really is. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Such a piece of evidence… does it truly exist?

 

The evidence that proves who Tadao really was. It’s this : 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Tadao’s file 

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Bitter) Tadao was… a reserve course student… that’s who he was.

 

Jessie: {Shocked} The reserve course… that’s the section of Hope’s Peak you could pay to get into right?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Correct. Tadao was nothing but a talentless fraud who bought his way into Hope’s Peak academy. 

 

Wow… now tell us how you really feel… 

 

On a serious note… is it me or is she being… too helpful? She’s answering every question and confirming my reasoning each step of the way.

 

It’s like she wants us to rush through this part of the trial… but if that’s the case why go through with it in the first place? 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} So… he came from the reserve course… but why was he here with us then?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} And more importantly… didn’t all the reserve course students commit suicide after Junko Enoshima’s death?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} I can answer both of those questions actually!

 

{Black and white frame of Tadao with his head down. A few dozen other silhouettes can be seen next to him.}

 

Monokuma: It’s true, most reserve course students killed themselves because of the sheer despair that was… losing our beloved Junko. 

 

Monokuma: But… a few of them didn’t die… they were kept alive along with the Remnants and the Final legion. 

 

Monokuma: They would act like… henchmen of sorts. 

 

Shinto: Henchmen?

 

Monokuma: That’s right… they assisted the last members of Ultimate Despair in their endeavour… and that includes this killing game. 

 

Jessie: What do you mean?

 

Monokuma: You really think that you bastards could organise this whole killing game by yourselves? 

 

Monokuma: No… you needed help. This help came in the form of those henchmen I just talked about. 

 

Monokuma: The remaining reserve course students helped organise everything.

 

Monokuma: They made sure the Killing game flourished… after you all surrendered your memories. 

 

Monokuma: Tadao Yamateko… was one of them! 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I see… so that’s what happened… 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} J-Just hold on for a second!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Shinto-kun!?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Wh-What you’re saying… it doesn’t explain why Tadao participated in the killing game… why he pretended to be Caspian. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} If he was nothing but a henchman then… why!? Why was he here!?

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium} It’s partly because of him that she died… so why! Why was he here!?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} An important question… why did Tadao participate in this killing game… and why did he impersonate the caped kidnapper?

 

Hikari: {Snarls with angry expression} Hayato… your thoughts?

 

Of course… she’s asking me again. 

 

Well… I won’t complain just yet… because I’m starting to see the bigger picture here. 

 

The puzzle pieces are starting to get into place. 

 

It’s time to solve this once and for all… and answer all the remaining questions. 

 

The truth about Jiro and Tadao… I’ll finish it now!

 

===

 

LOGIC DIVE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP7r1TVINsg



Q1: Who was the real Caspian? 

{Jiro/Tadao/Someone else}

 

 

 

Answer: Jiro



Q2:When was Jiro killed?

{Long before the killing game/Right before the killing game/During the killing game}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Right before the killing game



Q3: Under what capacity did Tadao enter the killing game?

{Real member of our class/True mastermind/Last minute replacement}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Last minute replacement

 

… 

 

That’s right… Tadao was brought in to complete the class after Jiro died. His participation wasn’t planned in advance. 

 

He was literally just there to replace him… 

 

But why him? 

 

There’s… only one possibility that comes to mind. 

 

Q4: Who killed Jiro?

{Hayato/Tadao/Hikari}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Tadao

 

===

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Hikari… it’s Tadao… he’s the one who killed Jiro isn’t he?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Tadao-kun… killed Jiro!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} How the hell did you come to that conclusion!?

 

Hayato: {Determined} I can see no other reason for Tadao to have been brought to the resort with us… Jiro was meant to participate but he was killed at the very last minute. 

 

Hayato: A class from Hope’s Peak has 16 students… if one of us was missing it might have alerted us that something was wrong.

 

Hayato: So you threw Tadao in the mix… a member of the reserve course. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Why? 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Because he’s the one who disrupted the initial plan! He killed Jiro!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Yes… it was… an unfortunate accident. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Tadao: Come on, get a move on!

 

Jiro: I don’t know who the hell you think you are… but this ain’t happening!

 

Tadao: Y-You’re gonna cause me a ton of trouble if you don’t just comply… s-so come on… please!

 

Jiro: Heh… you really think that you can capture me? You must not know who I am…

 

Tadao: I kn-know exactly… who you are… Caspian.

 

{A muscular boy with purple hair can be seen smirking at the camera}

 

Jiro :  Looks like even the likes of you have heard of me… but then you’ll know that you won’t catch me that easily. 

 

Tadao: I… h-have no choice… but to bring you with me… we’ve made it this far… Caspian!

 

Jiro: It’s never too late for a dramatic escape! See ya!

 

Tadao: N-No come back here! I’ll… they’ll kill me if I don’t bring you back to your pod!

 

Jiro That’s what you’re calling them…? Pods? You really thought I’d be okay with this? 

 

Tadao: It… it doesn’t matter whether you agree or not… it’s been decided already

 

Tadao : I won’t let you escape… I c-can’t… disappoint that person…

 

Jiro: Hey, wh-what are you doing? You won’t catch me! You won’t-

 

{Screen goes blank, a loud crashing sound can be heard}

 

 

Tadao: Oh n-n-no… I d-didn’t mean to… 

 

{The purple haired boy’s body can be seen at the bottom of a flight of stairs, blood is starting to seep from the back of his head}

 

Tadao : Is he d-dead!!?

 

Tadao: It w-was an accident… I n-never… intended to k-kill him… I… I… n-no… no…

 

{Tadao is shown kneeling next to the boy’s body as tears flow from his face} 

 

Tadao: I’m s-s-so… sorry… I… 

 

Tadao: Hnngh…

 

Tadao: What… what have I done…?

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Intense expression, spins pen on finger} Jiro got cold feet at the very last minute. He changed his mind while most of you were already in the pods we used to erase your memory. 

 

Hikari: He tried to escape… and Tadao killed him, accidentally. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} It was… truly quite a chaotic moment… we didn’t have much time to deal with it… and in the end we decided to send Tadao in his place. 

 

Hikari: {Snarls with cold expression} You reap what you sow in this world… since Jiro was dead because of him… he’d take his place as Caspian. 

 

Hikari And that was that. 

 

I… I see… 

 

Jessie: {Livid, empty eyes} He joined the killing game and died… because of that mistake he made. 

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} How unlucky man… both of them died… and for what.

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} In the end… Caspian is dead, one way or the other. 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} Yes, yes… well done on your deductions… I believe this part of the trial can be considered done and dusted.

 

Monokuma: {Curious} Is that so? That’s what you really think?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Y-Yes… there’s nothing else to talk about is there? We can move on… like we agreed. 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} Upupupupu… upupupupupupu… 

 

Hikari: {Cowers in fear} Wh-Why… why are you laughing? I did what we agreed upon! 

 

Jessie: H-Hikari-chan?

 

What’s going on here…? Hikari seemed in complete control until now… so why does she suddenly seem so afraid of Monokuma… 

 

Something’s wrong here… 

 

Hikari: {Straightens tie} We’re… we’re moving on! Onto the final part of this trial. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} The… final part. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Earlier… when I told you I wasn’t the enemy… I’m sure you had some questions. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Certainly… who could you be talking about? What else is there to uncover?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} Well… to answer your questions, we need to turn to the final event from our past that we haven’t talked about in this trial. 

 

Hikari: The key… to everything. 

 

The key… she must be talking about-

 

… 

 

(Music : None) 

 

???: Hikari… My dear Hikari… why must you rush like that? 

 

Hikari: {Cowers in fear} N-No… no… no no no no…

 

That voice… it’s unlike anything I’ve heard before.

 

So deep and menacing… so close, yet so far. 

 

Who… does it belong to?

 

???: Our players want the full truth… you can’t just skip over important details like that. 

 

???: I’m disappointed in you Hikari… you’ve forced me to come down here and sort out your mess. 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} Where’s it coming from… where’s it coming from!!?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I don’t like this one bit. 

 

???: This is the Ultimate Trial… which means we cannot leave anything out… I’m not quite sure why you seem to be in such a hurry. 

 

Jessie: {Scared} Wh-Who are you!?

 

???: Hohoho… where are my manners, I have failed to introduce myself to important people such as yourselves. 

 

Suddenly, I heard footsteps coming from behind my back. 

 

I turned around and saw… 


 

???: My name is Tetsuji Kuzuryu… and I believe the six of us have a lot to talk about. 

 

TO BE CONTINUED

 

Notes:

This has been a long time coming… we've mentionned Tetsuji so many times in the past few updates, it was finally time for you to meet him.

Art by : https://twitter.com/amavocado who did a fantastic job on his sprite. Go check them out if you want.

Most of you predicted correctly that Hikari was the true mastermind but… what does this unexpected visitor want… and what does this mean? All your questions will be answered in the next update! (No ETA as of now but know that I'm trying my best to get these out as soon as possible.

Only two chapters left of DR:AD then we're done FOREVER (or maybe we're not who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ *dramatic music intensifies*)

For now, I'm excited to read your theories and your feedback in the comments or on our discord server! We're almost done… but I've still got a few tricks up my sleeve and I'll be waiting to see if anybody predicts the final twists correctly!

To conclude, I thank you once again for reading and for sticking with me for on this journey, I'd like to think that it's been one hell of a ride.

That's it from me, I'll see you in the next one ;)

Chapter 69: Chapter 6 : Death is but the Next Great Adventure : Class Trial part 4

Notes:

So… here we are. Almost two years later.

I'm truly sorry to have kept you all waiting so long, explanations on the hiatus will be at the end of the chapter.

For now, please enjoy the penultimate chapter of DR : AD

It feels so good to be back.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tetsuji… Kuzuryu…

 

{Flashback} 

 

{Close up on the article, the headline reads: “The Caped Kidnapper wanted for murder!”, a picture of a dark silhouette is shown on a wanted poster}

 

Wanted for murder? What the hell? I thought this guy only kidnapped people…

 

{The article reads : “If you doubted whether the Caped Kidnapper was a criminal or not, this should be proof enough, Caspian’s mission to kidnap Tetsuji Kuzuryu ended with the death of his personal secretary Kanna Muratagi”}

 

What is this…?

 

Hikari: Flip the page Reijiro, there’s probably more on the next page.

 

Reijiro: …

 

Kôzuke: Reijiro?

 

Reijiro: Ah… sorry.

 

He flipped to the page and we saw…

 

{The next page features a large picture of a dead blond woman crumbled on the floor, her throat having been slit}

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Heh, it’s a pleasure to finally meet the four of you… I am of course already acquainted with Hikari, but I believe this is a first for the rest of us. 

 

Hikari: {Cowers in fear} You… you weren’t supposed to come here. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} We’ve heard about you… but I certainly didn’t expect you to show up like this. 

 

Tetsuji: {Examining whiskey glass, narrowed eyes} Ah but surprises are what keep life interesting, wouldn’t you say? 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} H-He’s… so scary…

 

Kôzuke: {Hides in helmet} Tetsuji… Kuzuryu… why the hell is he here man!? What’s he got to do with everything!?

 

I think I have a pretty good idea of what he has to do with the killing game… but I’ll keep quiet for now. 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Oh that’s right… you have heard of me haven’t you? 

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} You were told the tragic tale of… what your friend Jiro did to my company. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Your company… you’re the CEO of some sort of organisation aren’t you. 

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} You’re spot on boy! I’m just an ordinary, honest businessman! 

 

Tetsuji: {Hands out business card} Don’t forget Kuzuryu Inc. for your upcoming business ventures!

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} That is… if you have any!

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} An honest businessman huh? Isn’t the Kuzuryu clan known for their ties to the Yakuza?

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} Oh please… do not pin my family’s crimes on my back!

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} My business is my pride and joy… and I built it from the ground up through hard work and… legal means. 

 

For some reason I don’t believe that for a second. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} O-Okay… that’s all well and good man but… if you’re just a random businessman then why are you here exactly!

 

Jessie: {Pouting} You made quite an entrance and… it looks like Hikari-chan has been particularly affected by your arrival. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} … 

 

Tetsuji: {Hands out business card} I am here as an observer… I’ve been following your trials and tribulations you see. 

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} And… I’m afraid I couldn’t let our dear Hikari get away with such half-truths. 

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} Wouldn’t you agree sweetheart?

 

Hikari: {Cowers in fear} … 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} What half-truths are you talking about exactly? 

 

Tetsuji: {Examining whiskey glass, narrowed eyes} Let’s see… you folks were talking about Jiro Kojima’s murder… and Tadao Yamateko’s true identity. 

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} But Hikari was getting ready to move on when… in reality there is still a lot to be said… isn’t there? 

 

Hikari: {Snarls with angry expression} The rest isn’t relevant… you know that as well as I-

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} That’s just not true is it? Why would you lie to your co-conspirators in such a way Hikari? 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} She’s lying to us? But why!?

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} I thought this trial was about finding out the truth!

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} You’re absolutely right Kôzuke! The objective of the Ultimate Trial is to reveal the whole truth about this killing game. 

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} I just couldn’t let Hikari get away with lying to you all!

 

Hikari: {Cowers in fear} That’s not… no… 

 

Something’s clearly wrong here… Hikari seemed in complete control of the situation until he showed up and now it’s like she’s terrified of him. 

 

A simple “observer” wouldn’t know so much about the killing game… and wouldn’t elicit such a visceral reaction from Hikari. 

 

I’ve been suspecting that Tetsuji might be connected to the killing game for some time now. I think it’s time we figure out just how involved he really is. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} So… what is this “whole truth” that Hikari has failed to tell us about? 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Tadao did indeed kill Jiro… and that explains his participation in the killing game.

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} But he wasn’t just a replacement! He was… the mastermind’s pawn!

 

Hayato: The mastermind being… Hikari?

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} That is correct. She had complete control over him. He had no choice but to obey her every order.

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} W-What!? But how is that supposed to work!?

 

Tetsuji: My dear Hikari… why don’t you answer your classmate’s question?

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} … 

 

Hikari: {Sad} His memories were erased like everybody else’s… but we had a way to give him instructions when necessary. 

 

A way to give him instructions? 

 

Wait… could she be talking about… this?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Hikari… did you perhaps use this to control Tadao?

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Weird telescope

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} That… telescope-like machine in the memory studio. 

 

{Flashback}

 

Hayato: And what about this thing…? What do you do with that?

 

Monokuma: N-Nothing! This machine was used to communicate with a certain student a few weeks back. It has nothing to do with you!

 

Hayato: Communicate with a student!? You mean that the mastermind was in contact with one of us?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} I never said that! Don’t go around making accusations like that mister!

 

And the prize for worst liar ever goes to…

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} I’ve answered your questions now… I sure hope that you’re happy. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Monokuma…  during the investigation you told me that the machine was used to communicate with a certain student. 

 

Monokuma: {Nervous} Um… I don’t remember saying that. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} You did. You most certainly did. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Anyway, Monokuma clearly implied that the telescope was a vessel for some sort of communication with one of us. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} I believe that student to be Tadao!

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} An intriguing proposition! But tell me young man, do you have any evidence to support this idea?

 

This guy is already getting on my nerves.

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} A way to prove that the telescope was used to talk to Tadao?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Think of it this way… if two people were looking at opposite sides of a telescope, what would they see?

 

Hikari: {Sad} …

 

What would they…

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hayato: HELLO, can you hear me??

 

And suddenly… he spoke.

 

Hooded boy: {Points at armband} T-the eye. It’s watching us all. It’s following me.

 

Hayato: The what? What are you saying?

 

Hooded boy: P-please stop… staring into my soul.

 

What is up with this guy? He is just saying weird stuff. It's starting to get a bit scary. I’m not gonna lie.

 

Hooded boy: {Sombre} I need to hide, until I find out who I really am. I need to… fight this.

 

{Ends flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Y-You’ve got to be kidding me!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} What is it, Hayato?

 

Jessie: {Thoughtful} …

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Could it be…? 

 

Hayato: If I’m right, Tadao’s entire personality was built around the brainwashing he was subjected to. 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} The “eye” he kept talking about, that higher power that seemingly controlled his life. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} It was the eye that faced him on the other side of that telescope!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} A-Ah!

 

Shinto: {Spins hat on finger} Whoever was on the other side of the machine was the person feeding him orders. 

 

Shinto: That would certainly explain his fear of the eye wouldn’t it?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Yes, I suppose it would. 

 

Hikari: {Cowers in fear} You… you don’t understand…

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} That’s yet another astute observation! Monokuma, enlighten them will you?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} We’ve actually got Kuzuryu Inc to thank for this machine. We like our killing games to be at the cutting edge of what is humanly possible y’know.  

 

Monokuma: {Neutral expression} As usual, you’ve got it spot on. Tadao worked with us on this killing game. 

 

Monokuma: He messed up pretty badly though… and ended up offing Jiro, the sixteenth member of your class. 

 

Monokuma: {Belly laugh} And that’s how he ended up here and died in Jiro’s place!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} And that… eye thing, was it really a brainwashing machine?

 

Monokuma: {Amused} You betcha! Whenever we felt the game was getting too stale, we’d nudge him in a more… entertaining direction upupupupupu!

 

(Music : None) 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Wait a minute, you don’t mean Yoko's death…  it wasn’t…

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, collapses slightly} Y-You made him do it?

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Oh no, no you’ve got it all wrong. Monokuma had nothing to do with it. 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZP8Sw2DiP0 )

 

Tetsuji: {Belly laugh} It was Hikari who gave that order. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Oh no… 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} You… Hikari… tell me that you didn’t do it… you killed her!

 

Tetsuji: If I remember correctly, it was you who rammed that sword in her throat, wasn’t it Shinto!?

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} It was all because of Tadao… and you told him what to do! This whole thing happened because of you!

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, collapses slightly} Hikari… how could you do this to us…?

 

Shinto: {Clenched fist, resentful expression} You’ll… pay for this… I won’t let you get away with it. 

 

Monokuma: {Annoyed} Hey! No physical violence in the courtroom!

 

Shinto: {Slams cane on podium, collapses slightly} Grrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!

 

Hikari: {Snarls with angry expression} I’m not the enemy! Don’t you see what he’s trying to do? 

 

Shinto: You… it’s you… Yoko… 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} My dear Hikari, I think you’ve said more than enough. 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8 )

 

Jessie: {Determined} Pull yourself together Shinto-kun! We have to keep going and find out the truth… for Yoko-chan’s sake!

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Y-You’re right… 

 

Shinto: Hikari… I won’t forgive you for what you did. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} So now… we’ll uncover the truth behind your crimes!

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} I guess… they’re our crimes too, aren't they? 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I still don’t want to believe it man… 

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} That’s the spirit!

 

Tetsuji: {Examining whiskey glass, narrowed eyes} Now that we’ve gone over the half-truths that Hikari wanted you folks to buy, we can finally get to our last topic. 

 

Jessie: {Sad} Is this what Hikari-chan wanted to talk to us about before your arrival Tetsuji-san?

 

Tetsuji: Correct. It’s also the reason behind my presence amongst you kids. 

 

I think I know where this is going. 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} You see, despite my charitable nature, I wouldn’t have made the trip here without purpose. 

 

Tetsuji: I was affected by your class’ wrongdoings myself. 

 

Tetsuji: Namely, my secretary, Kanna Muratagi, was murdered by your friend Jiro. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} That’s what we were told… yes. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I’m still not quite sure why Jiro would do something like that though. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} From what we learnt… it was a kidnapping gone wrong wasn’t it?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Caspian… the caped kidnapper… 

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} You’re spot on my boy. This was nothing but a terrible terrible accident 

 

Tetsuji: {Examining whiskey glass, narrowed eyes} But, I mean… she is dead, so I’m allowed to be displeased about it. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} But that fact hasn’t actually been proven has it?

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} What fact are you talking about Shinto-kun?

 

Shinto: Do we actually know for a fact that Jiro is responsible for this incident?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} No offence but… I’m not sure that Mr Kuzuryu is the most trustworthy source when it comes to the murder of his secretary. 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} I’ll let that particularly hurtful comment slide Shinto, but… 

 

Tetsuji: {Examining whiskey glass, narrowed eyes} Do watch your tone with me. 

 

Shinto’s right… Kanna Muratagi’s death is far from an open-and-shut case. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Tetsuji-san, you said that this murder case would be the final discussion in this class trial. 

 

Jessie: Does that mean you want us to solve the case?

 

(Music : None)

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} Oh, no. What gave you that idea?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Ggh…!

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} Wh-What are you talking about man? 

 

Tetsuji: There’s no need to “solve the case”, the case has already been solved.

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} By the police, to be exact. No offence, but I think they’re more competent than a bunch of high school kids 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I’m the one who’s going to let that particularly rude comment slide this time… 

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} It’s true. Jiro killed Kanna, that’s not up for debate. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Then, what is?

 

Tetsuji: {Examining whiskey glass, narrowed eyes} Not much, to be perfectly honest. 

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} You folks might've missed the boat by a couple of months to truly influence the investigation's outcome! 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But Tetsuji-san, if you didn’t want us to figure out what happened… why did you bring it up?

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Why oh why huh? For now, let’s just say… contractual obligations. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} What the hell man… I don’t understand what’s going on. 

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} Do you ever?

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} So, what exactly do you want us to do now?

 

Tetsuji: {Twirls necklace with fingers} Hey, I’m just a neutral observer here, you kids can figure it out on your own. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Ich glaube nicht, dass "neutraler Beobachter" hier der richtige Begriff ist. 

 

Shinto: {Concerned} You've got to be kidding! Do you expect us to merely discuss the case without solving it? 

 

Shinto: Monokuma! What’s this all about?

 

Monokuma: {Shrugs} Keep me out of this will ya? This is Tetsuji’s call. 

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} What to do, what to do huh?

 

This is… odd. 

 

Why would Tetsuji bring this topic up if he says the case has already been solved? 

 

In fact… has the case really been solved? Is Jiro really the culprit?

 

Tetsuji said that it was a kidnapping gone wrong but is that really what happened?

 

{Yes/No}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: No

 

===

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Slow down for a moment, Tetsuji. 

 

Tetsuji: {Examining whiskey glass, narrowed eyes} What’d you say to me boy?

 

Hayato: I… I don’t think that Jiro killed Kanna! 

 

Hayato: {Determined} In fact, I don’t think you’re telling us the entire truth at all! 

 

Tetsuji: You think that, do you? And may I ask what you’re basing that thought on?

 

Jessie: {Smiles with thumbs up} If Hayato-kun says he’s innocent… then I believe him!

 

Shinto: {Proudly} Hayato, you can prove it, can’t you? 

 

I can’t prove that he’s innocent just yet… but there is a reason behind my belief. 

 

I’ll have to show them what I mean. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Everyone, my reasoning is based on this!

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Monokuma Bulletin

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Please think back to the second Monokuma Bulletin that we heard. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} B-But… I thought we said that those bulletins were pointless!

 

Monokuma: {Proud} Ah-ha! Vindication, at last!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} The second bulletin, that’s the one about the Muratagi case isn’t it?

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Precisely! 

 

{Flashback} 

 

???: How… how did this happen?

 

??? 2: F-Fuck… did Jiro do this?

 

??? 3: Mmph… let us stay calm…

 

??? 2: What the fuck are you talking about!? There’s… a dead girl in front of us… we… need to do something right the fuck now!

 

Those voices… they’re my classmates once again… 

 

Hikari: Jiro wouldn’t have done something like this! It can’t be him!

 

Kenji: He told us what he was planning… maybe it went wrong… and she ended up taking the collateral damage…  

 

Reijiro: The police will be here soon…

 

Reijiro: Where is he dammit!?

 

Hikari: Jiro!!!? Where are you!!?

 

??? 4: He must have left the building already… you know how he is. 

 

Th-That voice… that’s impossible… it’s…

 

It’s me…

 

Hayato: What do we do in this situation?

 

Kenji: We need to save Jiro’s ass… we can’t let him go down for this!

 

Reijiro: Are you really suggesting we interfere with a murder scene… are you out of your mind?

 

Hikari: Oh my god… she’s dead… sh-she’s dead… waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!

 

 Kenji: Shut up!!! You’re going to draw attention to us! 

 

Reijiro: Good! We need to call the police… and considering that they took our cellphones on the way in… we need somebody to come and help us… 

 

Reijiro: This is not our battle… we cannot get involved in this.

 

Kenji: You’re really going to let Jiro down!? After everything that’s happened!?

 

Reijiro: I am sorry… but we are only students… this is out of our hands… we cannot do anything to help.

 

Kenji: You just don’t want to get your hands dirty you coward! I… I won’t let this end like this!

 

Reijiro: You are threatening to put all of our futures in jeopardy with your  rash decisions… please, just take a second to think about what you are doing. 

 

Hikari: Why did I volunteer to come here…? Why did I do it!?

 

Hayato: G-Guys! Calm down! 

 

Kenji: Don’t fucking tell me to calm down!

 

Hayato: Just listen to me for a second… 

 

Hayato: I think I’ve got a plan… 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: We heard it very clearly… back when we found Kanna’s body… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=34 )

 

Hayato: {Determined} We didn’t believe that Jiro was guilty! That’s why we tried to protect him back then!

 

Shinto: {Frowns} … 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} … 

 

Hikari: {Sad} … 

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} … 

 

(Music : None) 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Uh… guys?

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} HAHAHAHAHA! 

 

Oh boy… 

 

Tetsuji: {Wiping tears of laughter} I see! So that’s the great logic of Hayato Seiki up close and personal!

 

Tetsuji: And to think that this entire killing game was designed to punish such an exceptional mind!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} This is getting kind of hurtful now. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hayato-kun… I thought you had some hard evidence like you usually do but… Δεν νομίζω ότι αυτό είναι αρκετό.

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} You take the words right out of my mouth 

 

Tetsuji: Except for that Greek part… but I’m sure we’re on the same wavelength. 

 

Tetsuji: I was genuinely expecting some mind-boggling line of inquiry or some irrefutable piece of evidence from you! 

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} And this? This is all you’ve got for me? 

 

Tetsuji: {Wiping tears of laughter} I’m not sure whether it’s cute or just pathetic. 

 

Tetsuji: Proof is everything in court, or so they say in movies. 

 

Shinto: {Innocent smile} Sorry Hayato, I think we’re all kind of disappointed in you. 

 

Enough already! I’m trying my best!

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} So… is this all you’ve got Hayato?

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} Of course, it’s all he’s got. The naive ignorance of believing in one’s friends. 

 

Tetsuji: As I’ve said, the police investigated the murder scene and concluded that Jiro was the guilty party. 

 

Tetsuji: {Examining whiskey glass, narrowed eyes} The power of friendship won’t help you here bucko. 

 

Shinto: So that’s it huh? That’s the whole truth about Kanna Muratagi’s murder?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} The whole truth… 

 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} No! That’s not the truth, I won’t accept it!

 

Tetsuji: {Clenches fist around glass, frustrated} What now?

 

Hayato: The whole point of the class trial is to figure the truth out so I won’t just take your word for it! 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Proof is everything, isn’t that what you said to me?

 

Jessie: {Determined} That’s the Hayato we know and love!

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} Ahem and the one you entered the killing game to get revenge on. 

 

Jessie: {Sad}  Silencio, oso…

 

Hayato: So Tetsuji? What do you say?

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} This is below me but… to hell with it. 

 

Tetsuji: {Threatening} I’ll make you regret questioning me. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Bring it on!

 

He talks a big game but I bet his bark is worse than his bite he doesn’t have proof, I’m sure of it. 

 

I’ll break through his lies… and the truth is bound to come out!

 

===

 

NONSTOP DEBATE BEGINS

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXSH3q8F96E)

 

{Truth Bullets : Inscription on the wall, Memories of Kanna’s murder, Kanna’s Autopsy, Dragon knife, Kanna’s letter }

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} Like I said, the matter couldn’t be any clearer. 

 

Tetsuji: Your friend, Jiro, was Caspian, the caped kidnapper.

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} He came to my office to kidnap me. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Yes, I think that much has already been established. 

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} However, Kanna, my poor secretary, caught him in the act!

 

Tetsuji: Left without a choice, he murdered her in cold blood! 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} But… would Jiro really do such a thing? 

 

Jessie: Couldn’t he just… kidnap her instead?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Or better yet, he could have just fled man

 

Kôzuke: At least that’s what I would have done.

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} Well, that’s not what Jiro did. 

 

Tetsuji: He slashed her neck open! The guards were too late to stop him! 

 

Hikari: {Sad} Ggghhh… 

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} A terrible, terrible tragedy, yes. 

 

Tetsuji: {Threatening} But one that is not up for debate. 

 

 

Is it really that simple? 

 

Tetsuji claims that Jiro killed Kanna because he botched the kidnapping. 

 

I can’t help but wonder… does this version of events fit with what we know?

 

===

 

 



SOLUTION : Memories of Kanna’s murder → he could have just fled man

 

===

 

Hayato: {Close up with Kôzuke} YEAH, YOU’RE RIGHT!



{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Monokuma, what I saw in the memory lab… those were accurate representations of my memories, weren’t they?

 

Monokuma: {Giggles} upupupupu… but of course! Those were selected snippets from the memories that we took from you. 

 

Monokuma: The clue was in the name of the room y’know. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Just making sure. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} If these memories are to be trusted then…

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh0JKSQRgU

 

Hayato: {Grinning} There’s a big problem with your version of events Tetsuji! 

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} Oh no! Woe is me!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} You’re not… taking it more seriously?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} I was getting pumped with you, Hayato-kun. 

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} Tcheh, I’m listening. What’s your angle?

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} When my memories were shown to me… this is what I saw. 

 

{Flashback} 

 

???: Hey! Stop it right there!

 

??? #2: You! Come back right now!

 

Huh… what was that!? There’s something happening outside. 

 

 

I looked out of the window and saw. 

 

{A caped young man can be seen running away from armed guards in the courtyard} 

 

That’s Caspian… isn’t it?

 

And judging by his height and build… it’s definitely Jiro… 

 

So… Caspian was being chased by guards at this time… it’s currently 2:03 PM.  

 

Depending on when Kanna died… that could be important. 

 

 

Wait… he just ran out through the gates. He exited the premises completely. 

 

So… how did he get back here exactly?

 

Something feels off… very off. 

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Shinto: {Shocked} At 2:03… he was seen leaving the building?

 

Jessie: Pas juste le bâtiment, he left the premises entirely!

 

Tetsuji: {Threatening} … 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Kôzuke got it right! Jiro didn’t kill Kanna when the kidnapping went wrong… 

 

Hayato: He actually fled!

 

 

Tetsuji: {Examining whiskey glass, narrowed eyes} Is he telling the truth Monokuma? Did you show him those memories?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Y-Yes… but that’s what we agreed- 

 

Tetsuji: {Threatening} Silence. 

 

Monokuma: {Shocked} …

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} So be it, I won’t claim that what you saw wasn’t a true representation of what went down on that fateful day. 

 

Tetsuji: {Threatening} However, you’re getting ahead of yourself Hayato. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Getting ahead of myself? How so? 

 

Tetsuji: {Puts on reading glasses} Let me make sure I’ve got this right. 

 

{Black and white frame of Jiro running away from the Kuzuryu Inc. headquarters} 

 

Tetsuji: You saw Jiro running away from my guards… in fact, you say that he left the premises and didn’t turn back. 

 

Tetsuji: Yet that doesn’t prove his innocence at all does it? I’d say it actually makes him look even more suspicious. 

 

Tetsuji: If he was as innocent as you claim then… why was he being chased?

 

Hayato: Hold on, I never said he wasn’t trying to kidnap you. He was in costume after all. 

 

Hayato: He could have been found out by your guards… and fled from the scene right then and there. 

 

Tetsuji: True, he could have. Nevertheless, as I said, the fact that you saw leaving the headquarters doesn’t prove his innocence at all. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} I mean, if security was on his tail, I don’t think he would just waltz back in the building to… kill a secretary man. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} That’s a fair point, why would he take such a risk?

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} He didn’t have to.

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} H-Huh?

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} You folks seem convinced that Jiro’s escape happened before the murder but… that’s one hell of an assumption isn’t it?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} An assumption?

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} It would be foolish, if not impossible to crawl back inside after being hunted by my guards. 

 

Tetsuji: {Hands out business card} Kuzuryu Inc. ultimately prides itself on the quality of its security.

 

Tetsuji: But that’s not what happened. 

 

Kôzuke: {Shocked} It… it isn’t?

 

{Black and white frame of Kanna Muratagi’s dead body} 

 

Tetsuji: You’ve got it the wrong way around. 

 

Tetsuji: First, Jiro came to my office and killed poor Kanna. 

 

Tetsuji: Another employee caught him right in the act, and set off the alarm, that's when he fled.

 

{Black an white frame of Jiro running away from the Kuzuryu Inc. Headquarters} 

 

Tetsuji: What Hayato saw was Jiro fleeing the crime scene, never to return. 

 

Tetsuji: Unfortunately for him, his crime was uncovered by the police… and so it was all for naught. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} An innocent life lost… and for what?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} … 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} … 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} So, does that answer your query? 

 

Tetsuji: No timing issue, no flaw in my logic. Wouldn’t you agree?

 

Kôzuke: I think… he might be right man… if Jiro was fleeing after committing the murder then… 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} The fact that you saw him doesn’t prove his innocence!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} R-Right?

 

… 

 

(Music : None)

 

Gotcha. 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} Heh. 

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Hey! Why are you snickering? He just owned your ass with logic!

 

Tetsuji: {Threatening} Silence. 

 

Monokuma: S-Sorry boss. 

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} What now, Hayato? Blind faith won’t get you anywhere. 

 

Tetsuji: {Threatening} Why don’t you just admit defeat huh?

 

Hayato: Because… 

 

(Music  : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4hSFA-dTM&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=35

 

Hayato: {Determined} Because you’re wrong! And I can prove it!

 

Tetsuji: {Clenches fist around glass, frustrated} Nonsense. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} You can… prove him wrong? 

 

Jessie: {Pumped up} C’mon Hayato! Don’t let us down now! 

 

What Tetsuji just said… it contains a glaring contradiction to the evidence. 

 

Either he's wrong or he's lying... either way, I'm starting to get a strong gut feeling that something's not right here.

 

I’ll bring the truth to light… we’ll see how he likes it then! 

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Kanna’s autopsy

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

Hayato: {Grinning} What you’re saying couldn’t possibly have happened Tetsuji. 

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} … 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} He’s… wrong? 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} When my memories were shown to me, I did something, instinctively. 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Yeah? And what was that? 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I checked the time when Jiro left the scene!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} The… time? 

 

Tetsuji: You said it was… 2:03 PM right? What of it?

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} You’re going to have to be a little bit more convincing you know-

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} Why don’t you take a look at Kanna Muratagi’s autopsy report… I’m sure you’ll realise where I’m getting at. 

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} N-No way… 

 

Tetsuji: {Puts on reading glasses} The autopsy report, well let’s see here… 

 

Tetsuji: The victim’s throat was slit, she choked on her own blood and died in a few seconds. The time of death was between 2:30 and 3:30 PM.

 

Tetsuji: {Clenches fist around glass, frustrated} … 

 

Hayato: {Determined} Kanna died between 2:30 and 3:30 PM… that’s at least 30 minutes after Jiro ran away!

 

Hayato: {Grinning} That makes it… how did you put it exactly? 

 

Hayato: Oh yes, it would be “ foolish, if not impossible” for Jiro to come back in the building after being chased out.  

 

Hayato: {Determined} Isn’t that what you said Tetsuji?

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} … 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Jiro didn’t kill her… but then… then… 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hikari-chan? 

 

Hikari’s reactions have been so subdued and sad ever since Tetsuji’s arrival. 

 

She was so cold and calculating until then… 

 

What does it mean?

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} … 

 

And… why is he so quiet? 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Tetsuji! What do you say?

 

Kôzuke: {Rolls toy car on helmet} Hayato’s argument is pretty convincing to me… Jiro left long before Kanna was killed. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} You mentioned it yourself! Your security is so good that nobody could come back in after the alarm went off!

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} … 

 

That’s right! Try and get yourself out of this one- 

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Uh… 

 

Why does this always happen? 

 

Tetsuji: {Wiping tears of laughter} Thank you for that moment Hayato, wow I haven’t laughed so hard in a long time. 

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} You looked so determined there it’s… honestly quite sweet. 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} Sweet? I just broke down your entire line of- 

 

Tetsuji: {Threatening} Silence!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} H-Huh?

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} That’s where you’re wrong… it’s not my reasoning… it’s the investigator’s!

 

Tetsuji: {Hands out business card} I’m just your friendly neighbourhood businessman you see?

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} What does little old me know about this stuff?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} That’s your argument?

 

Jessie: {Shocked}  Удерживать … then what does it mean? 

 

Jessie: {Searches through backpack} You can shift the blame all you want but Hayato’s point still stands doesn’t it? 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Can Jiro really be the culprit given what we know now?

 

Kôzuke: {Objection} I… I don’t think he can man!

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} You’ve made your point… quite competently. 

 

Tetsuji: And to that… there is only one thing that I’ve got to say to you…

… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdSIg5Ivd_I&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=17

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} Maaaaaaan! Aren’t the police a bunch of incompetent thugs?

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Wh-Wh-Wh-

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} WHAT!!?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I don’t like where this is going man… 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} You… you… 

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} My mistake was thinking that whomever investigated this crime would be capable enough to avoid such a fiasco!

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} Look at what happened because of them! Everybody, myself included, was convinced that your friend Jiro was the guilty party. 

 

Tetsuji: {Pulls out reading glasses} But looking at the evidence… you’re right, he must be innocent. 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Guess we got it wrong… oops!

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Y-You can’t be serious. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} All that bravado from a moment ago about how there was nothing left to prove…

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} You’re retracting it all now?

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} Hey, don’t shoot the messenger here! 

 

Tetsuji: I’m just as shocked as you folks are. 

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} I’ll have a word with the Commissioner General once I’m back. 

 

Tetsuji: {Threatening} He’ll regret his department’s incompetence, that’s all I’ll say about that. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} C-Can he really… go over the heads of the police?

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Money and influence go hand in hand, that’s my motto. 

 

Tetsuji: A significant cut in their annual budget… that should do the trick. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} That… doesn’t sound exactly like a legal way to do things.  

 

Hayato: {Bitter} So… that’s your explanation? The police got it wrong? That’s it?

 

Tetsuji: {Threatening} Did I not already make that clear?

 

Tetsuji: Please, don’t make me repeat myself. 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} … 

 

I can’t believe for a second that the police failed to cross-check the guards’ account and Kanna’s autopsy. 

 

They must have been influenced by… someone. 

 

Someone who has a reason to hide the truth. 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0s1zQb-F8

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Here’s what I don’t understand though… 

 

Kôzuke: Hayato was right, according to the Monokuma Bulletin, we seemed to be pretty sure that Jiro was innocent didn’t we? 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} So why didn’t the police listen to us man? 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} That’s a fair question Kôzuke, especially when you consider that the evidence against him was… flimsy at best. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} En fait , were we all there with him? Only four of us were shown in the Monokuma Bulletin. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} And why were we there in the first place? All of this hasn’t been answered in the Monokuma Bulletin…

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} Hey, hey hey! That’s a whole lot of questions at once folks!

 

Hayato: Well… if you want us to do this properly we need to see the big picture.  

 

Tetsuji: Hmm… 

 

Tetsuji: {Examining whiskey glass, narrowed eyes} Monokuma, why don’t you take this one for me?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} You got it boss! 

 

{Black and white frame of a large corporate office building with a golden “K” on the front} 

 

Monokuma: This all happened at the headquarters of Kuzuryu Inc., a company led by our very own Tetsuji Kuzuryu. 

 

Monokuma: For context, this happened months before the Eden Corp fire. 

 

Monokuma: The 80th class, which is you guys, had already joined Ultimate Despair at that point. 

 

Monokuma: Your class was sent to Kuzuryu Inc to negotiate with Tetsuji himself. 

 

Monokuma: He is, after all, one of the most powerful men in the country. 

 

Tetsuji: Heh, I appreciate the flattery. 

 

I hate this guy

 

Monokuma: However… 

 

{Black and white frame of Jiro running away from the Kuzuryu Inc. Headquarters} 

 

Monokuma: A member of your class had a different way of handling such matters. 

 

Monokuma: Everybody was there that day… but only you four had the balls to enter Tetsuji’s office… you were the only ones who saw Kanna’s body firsthand. 

 

Monokuma: That’s all you need to know as far as why you bastards were there

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Monokuma: {Red eye glowing} As to why you bastards weren’t listened to by the police… 

 

Monokuma: Let’s put it this way… you guys weren’t in the authorities’ good books given that you were… terrorists. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I keep on forgetting that part man. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} I don’t… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} … 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} They despised us… they didn’t understand… 

 

Hold on, doesn’t that mean…?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Wait a second, what about the article Kurozo showed us? 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} The … article? 

 

{Flashback} 

 

Kurozo: {Annoyed} So here, take this…  

 

He hands Fusume a folded newspaper article. 

 

She quickly unfolds it and we see… 

 

{Camera zooms in on the newspaper article, it reads “Crucial witness in Muratagi case to testify in court!”}

 

{Camera then pans down to show a picture of Hayato in a police blanket with blood on his face. He’s staring straight at the camera} 

 

What the…

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Fusume: {Dark look} What is this…? Why is Hayato in that picture!?

 

Hayato: Crucial witness in… Muratagi case? Where have I heard that name before?

 

Reijiro: {Glare} Muratagi… Kanna Muratagi. That was the victim in the Caspian case which we studied a few trials back.

 

That’s… right!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} The article said that I would testify in court… how does that make any sense?

 

Monokuma: {Sweating} Well… uh… that’s… 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Actually, it’s quite simple really. 

 

Tetsuji: Your little plan that you mentioned in the bulletin, it was to lie to the police to protect Jiro. 

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} You even smeared her blood on your face so you’d look like a credible witness. 

 

Tetsuji: The police believed it at first but then they realised who you were and your testimony became nothing more than an afterthought for them. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Je vois … 

 

Is that really how it went down? 

 

I’d… cover myself in a dead person’s blood to protect a classmate of mine?

 

What the hell happened to us…? Seriously?

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} I believe your questions have been thoroughly addressed. Don’t you?

 

Everything has been meticulously planned out… they can answer all our problems but… 

 

That doesn’t mean I believe them. 

 

Shinto: If I remember correctly, the four students who witnessed the murder were… 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Reijiro, Kenji, Hayato and… Hikari. 

 

Shinto: Considering that the memories we were shown were likely lifted from one of these four…

 

Shinto: These are the four students who must have known the truth about what happened!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} R-Right man! They had to know that Jiro was already gone by the time Kanna was killed!

 

Hikari: {Sad} … 

 

Hikari, Reijiro, Kenji and me… 

 

The four of us… can this be a coincidence?

 

No! It can’t be!

 

 

I think that I’m starting to understand what’s really going on here

 

Tetsuji: {Examining whiskey glass, narrowed eyes} Hayato, you look deep in thought. 

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} Care to bless us with more of your faultless logic? 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} You know what? I think I will!

{Black and white frame of Kanna’s body} 

 

Hayato: The four of us were direct witnesses to the murder of Kanna Muratagi. 

 

Hayato: At least, we knew that Jiro was innocent, despite the fact that the crime was to be pinned on him. 

 

Shinto: You probably let the rest of us know what happened. 

 

Shinto: But you guys were the only ones who could have known the truth with certainty!

 

Hayato: Exactly! 

 

Hayato: Also, it must be noted that Kanna’s death is crucial to this killing game. 

 

Hayato: The Eden Corp fire might have been the trigger… but I believe that Kanna is at the centre of it all. 

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Hikari: {Sad} … 

 

Tetsuji: {Threatening} You’ve said your piece, but what of it? 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5HuHnhHxXY

 

Hayato: The four of us… were targeted at several points in the killing game weren’t we? 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Targeted?

Hikari: {Cold stare} So… you noticed. 

 

Hayato: The motive videos before the second trial… those were only sent to the four of us. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} And during the weapons motive… the four of us were the only ones given fake weapons. 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} That’s true! I remember us making that connection back then!

 

Hayato: That… can’t be a coincidence can it?

 

Monokuma: {Angry} Hey! What the hell are you insinuating huh? 

 

Monokuma: That the game was rigged against you?

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} Of course it was!

 

Jessie: {Shocked} …!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But why man? Why try to rig the game against you four?

 

What’s the reason behind this special treatment? I think the answer is pretty clear.

 

Hayato: The four of us were disadvantaged in order to…

 

{Make the game more interesting/Make Hikari less suspicious/Silence the witnesses}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer : Silence the witnesses

 

===

 

Hayato: The four of us knew the truth… we knew that Jiro was innocent. 

 

Hayato: And so… in an attempt to silence the witnesses to this crime. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} The game was unfairly set against the four of us! 

 

Tetsuji: {Clenches fist around glass, frustrated} … 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} But… Hayato-kun… 

 

Jessie: Who was the game rigged by exactly?

 

Jessie: {Sad} Are you saying that Hikari-chan was behind this too?

 

Is it Hikari? I should think this over carefully, I can’t make any mistakes at this stage. 

 

{Yes/No}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer : No

 

===

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} No. It wasn’t Hikari who rigged the game against the four of us. 

 

Hayato: I don’t think that she had anything to gain from doing so at all. 

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} Because Hikari… you have kept your memories so you know that Jiro was innocent… don’t you?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I… I do… 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Reijiro and Kenji are dead, and I don’t have my memories but… you do. 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDXQjoQXk0

 

Hayato: {Determined} You had to be silenced like the rest of us!

 

Hikari: {Panicked} Hnngh… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I… I don’t understand what’s going on man? Hikari is the mastermind… why are you saying that she was targeted too?

 

The pieces are starting to fit together… The motives behind this killing game… 

 

And the real culprit… behind it all, pulling the strings behind the scenes. 

 

It’s all falling into place!

 

Hayato: Here’s my thinking- 

 

(Music : None) 

 

Tetsuji: {Threatening} Silence!

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Huh!?

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} Sorry to interrupt… but I just got an idea! 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} What now?

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} As Hayato has so expertly pointed out, it turns out that we don’t actually know who killed Kanna. 

 

Tetsuji: My strong sense of justice is the main reason I’m here today. 

 

Tetsuji: My talented and beautiful secretary was unjustly killed… I thought I knew who the culprit was but I actually don’t know anymore!  

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} So… we’re going to have a slight change of plans. 

 

A… change of plans? 

 

Tetsuji: You’re all master detectives right? You’ve survived five class trials and solved five murder cases. 

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} What’s one more teeny tiny murder to go through?

 

Kôzuke: {Grabs the podium like a steering wheel} We need to solve it?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} Can we really… do that?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} … 

 

Apparently, even Hikari wasn’t expecting that. 

 

What is he trying to accomplish here?

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} The rules are simple… you will now get the opportunity to find the culprit in the Kanna Muratagi case. 

 

Tetsuji: When I get bored of listening to you talk, you will vote. 

 

Tetsuji: {Threatening} If you get it wrong… I’ll execute you all. 

 

Kôzuke: *Gulp*

 

Monokuma: {Excited} Yes! That’s how we do things around here. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} And if we do get it right?

 

Tetsuji: Well in that case, you win the trial and… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy0JuVXTcUw

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} You’ll get to live the rest of your lives in this heavenly resort! Doesn’t that sound great?

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Wait… what?

 

Kôzuke: Grasps medals} Stay here… our whole lives?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Dat kun je niet menen! Monokuma said that if we won the trial we’d be freed from this hell!

 

Tetsuji: {Wiping tears of laughter} It’s a shame that I make the rules then isn’t it? 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} You won’t let us leave…? Whatever happens?

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} That’s not… what was agreed… 

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} This is completely unfair… there’s no way for us to win. 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Fairness… What exactly is fair? Doesn’t that concept depend on whose perspective you're seeing?

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} This is the way it’ll go. There will be no arguing from you five. 

 

Tetsuji: {Threatening} My patience has limits. 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Now go. Discuss. 

 

… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} … 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} … 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} … 

 

Is there really nothing that can be done?

 

We came into the trial hoping it would be our way out of this resort. 

 

And now we’re presented with a situation in which we cannot win. 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Heh… 

 

That man… the reason why he’s doing it… it must be… 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} Nngh…

 

Even if I knew his motives… there’s nothing I can do, he’ll just shut us down if we question him. 

 

Is there really… no way out?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Tetsuji… this isn't… 

 

Wait… Hikari… 

 

That’s it!

 

Hayato: Just wait a second, Tetsuji!

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} I said that there would be no arguing. 

 

Hayato: {Bead of sweat} I’m not going to argue… am I not allowed to speak?

 

Tetsuji: Tcheh, go ahead. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} You said that there would be no arguing from… “us five”. You’re including Hikari in that count. 

 

Hayato: {Crossed arms} Does that mean she is expected to participate in this discussion?

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} Why, of course! She’s a student like the rest of you, there’s no reason to make exceptions!

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} You see! This is me being fair!

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} You… bastard… 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} But… Hikari never lost her memories! Doesn’t she just have the answers already?

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} And she’s the mastermind, there’s no way she wouldn’t- 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I don’t… I don’t… 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Hikari: {Panicked} I don’t know who killed her… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} H-Hikari-chan?

 

Hikari: I don’t know, I don’t know, I don’t know I don’t know!!!

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Why… are you doing this Tetsuji?

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} That’s right! Our dear Hikari has no idea who killed Kanna, that's what makes it fun!

 

She doesn’t know but then… 

 

Tetsuji: {Holds out business card} The only one who knows the culprit’s identity is little old me!

 

Tetsuji: So there will be no cheating on Hikari’s part! She knows just as little as you do!

 

Hikari: {Panicked} Hnnnghhhhhh… 

 

Hikari: I need to know… who did this to her…

 

To her?

 

Jessie: {Pouting} Hikari-chan… what’s wrong with you?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Her behaviour is strange… she’s been quiet since Tetsuji’s arrival and now she looks devastated. 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Why is that?

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Hey, that’s not a bad question you know. 

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} Could it be that Hikari has a personal stake in the matter?

 

Hikari: {Snarls with angry expression} Don’t… say it… 

 

Hikari… 

 

Shinto’s right, if she had no interest in this case, there would be no reason for such an emotional reaction. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} After all we have accomplished… I need to find the truth…

 

Hikari: {Panicked} Please… help me… find the truth!

 

Hikari’s personal connection to the Kanna Muratagi case… 

 

Do I have a way to know what her connection is?

 

I need to review the evidence one more time. 

 

Hikari: Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh…!

 

This could be a make or break moment… I need to figure this out… now!

 

Hikari’s interest in the case, could it be related to… this?

 

SELECT TRUTH BULLET:

===

 

 

===

SOLUTION: Class signatures

===



Hayato: {Close-up} I’VE FIGURED IT OUT!

 

{BREAK}

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hold on… what the hell is this!?

 

{Closeup on a piece of paper filled with signatures}

 

This looks like part of a contract… there are a bunch of signatures followed by an acronym.

 

R.Y

 

K.K

 

S.M

 

Y.K

 

H.M

 

K.S

 

J.K

 

R.I

 

Y.A

 

O.A

 

K.T

 

R.I

 

F.O

 

J.S”

 

Those initials… and those signatures… that’s our class!

 

That’s everyone… but me.

 

My signature is missing from that page. 

 

What… what the hell is this!? 

 

{Ends flashback} 

 

That’s it… how could I have missed that?

 

The truth was right there… all along. 

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} I’ve got it… Hikari, if you’ll allow me. I’d like to explain why this case is… so important to you. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Y-You… you wouldn’t understand… 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} How could you… understand. 

 

Shinto: {Points with finger, leans forwards} What is it Hayato? Tell us! 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} That document that you all signed… agreeing to participate in the killing game. 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} This document… 

 

Hayato: Everybody’s there but Fusume and me… at least, that’s what I thought. 

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} Let me see Hayato-kun!

 

Jessie: Yes… mmh… yes… JS that’s me… he’s there… so is she… that’s Rina-chan… mmh…

 

Jessie: {Shocked}  Voi luoja! There’s no HH.

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} HH… that’s Hikari Hisano isn’t it?

 

Hayato: {Holds chin} It should be there… but you’re right, Jessie, there’s no HH. 

 

Hayato: However, there is one initial that doesn’t quite fit. 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} An initial that doesn’t belong to a student in our class. 

 

Hikari: {Sad} … 

 

{HM/HK/HT}

 

=== 

 

 



Answer: HM 

 

===

 

Hayato: {Determined} The unknown initial is HM!

 

Jessie: {Sceptical} HM… I see it, yes. 

 

Jessie: The H could belong to Hikari-chan… but her last name is Hisano. 

 

Jessie: That doesn’t start with an M…!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} Maybe whoever wrote those initials got confused… and H and and M are pretty similar looking letters. 

 

Shinto: {Frowns} Or… Hikari’s last name isn’t Hisano… 

 

Yes… that’s my conclusion too. 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} But… why would she lie about her last name man?

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Perhaps… she lied to hide her connection to a certain person. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Hisano… is my father’s last name. 

 

Hayato: But it’s not the name you used back when you signed that contract… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Do you know… what the name was Hayato-kun?

 

Hayato: I do. Hikari’s real name is… 

 

===

 

HANGMAN’S GAMBIT

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csp8A4G7y-c

 

Question: What is Hikari’s real name? 

 

-----

 

K R T H A M I A R I I U G A 

 

===

 

… 

 

 

 

SOLUTION : H I K A R I  M U R A T A G I 

 

===

 

This explains so much… 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Hikari… Kanna Muratagi was your mother, wasn't she?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Hnnngh… 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Hikari-chan’s… mom?

 

{Flashback} 

 

Hikari: {Horrified} AHHHHHHHHHH

 

Hayato: Hikari!? Wh-What’s happening to you?

 

Hikari: {Horrified} N-NO, MOM… NO… PLEASE NO!

 

She’s… calling her mother?

 

{Hikari can be seen recoiling in fear against one of the corridor walls}

 

Hikari: Don’t do this to me! Please… n-no!

 

Hayato: Hikari, what are you seeing…? What is it? 

 

Hikari: NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

She fell to the floor, covering her face as if she was trying to get something out of her field of vision. 

 

Hikari: {Horrified} HELP ME!!!!!

 

{Ends Flashback} 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} During the emotions motive… when we experience fear… you were calling for your mother. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Hnngh… 

 

Hayato: I thought you were afraid of her but… that’s not what happened. 

 

Hayato: {Determined} You were being shown your mother’s death… Kanna Muratagi!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} H-Hell… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-No way man!

 

Kôzuke: The woman we’ve been investigating all this time… it’s Hikari’s mom? 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Yes… I think it is. 

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} Hey! It was my idea to subject Hikari to the emotions motive as well! I thought it would be great for realism’s sake. 

 

Tetsuji: Glad to hear it wasn’t a waste. 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} That’s… terrible. 

 

Hikari: Ggh… ggh…

 

Hikari: {Holding her face in her hands} HNNNNNNNNNNNNGHHHHHHHHH…!

 

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMw_1-gyE4&index=15&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a )

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Mommy… why did they do that to you… 

 

Jessie: {Sad} H-Hikari-chan… 

 

Hikari: {Tears running down face} I couldn’t… let it go… 

 

Hikari: I knew it wasn’t Jiro… who then? Who could have done… such a terrible thing?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} So… you really didn’t know who the culprit was. 

 

Hikari: We never had the chance to investigate… because of who we were. 

 

Hikari: But this… changed everything for me. 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} I could never forgive that person… and so… for vengeance-

 

(Music : None) 

 

Tetsuji: {Clenches fist around glass, frustrated} Oh enough with the waterworks already. 

 

Hayato: {Startled with hands up} Wh-what?

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} Congratulations, you’ve figured out why this murder case is so important to the killing game

 

Tetsuji {Theatrically sad expression} The mastermind’s mother was murdered… how terrible. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Tetsuji: But we mustn’t forget that she was also my secretary… it was hard for me too!

 

Hayato: {Pulls on scarf, angry} You piece of shit…!

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Am I the piece of shit…? Or is it Hikari?

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPz2GHVYFEo&list=PLU4ktq2pWONvsyBd_LrTVX8Et-gp0th4a&index=11 )

 

Kôzuke: What are you talking about man? 

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} I’m talking about… the real reason Hikari kept her memories… why she agreed to mastermind the game. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} Please… don't… 

 

I don’t like where this is going. 

 

{Black and white frame of the 14 students standing in the rubble of their burned hideout, Hikari is standing in the centre} 

 

Tetsuji: The Eden Corp fire happened a few months after Kanna’s murder. That’s when you folks had the idea to organise this killing game. 

 

Tetsuji: You wanted to “go out with a bang” and punish Hayato and Fusume for what they did to your class. 

 

Tetsuji: But someone had ulterior motives… 

 

{Black and white frame of Jiro running away from the Kuzuryu Inc. headquarters} 

 

Tetsuji: You see, Hikari knew that Jiro wasn’t her mother’s killer… 

 

Tetsuji: And as the weeks passed, her mourning turned to anger. That’s when she began to suspect… 

 

Tetsuji: Her classmates!

 

{Black and white frame of Hikari holding her head, while the other students watch from behind}

 

Tetsuji: You all had the means to kill her… and let’s face it, you were all capable of murder. 

 

Tetsuji: The motive made sense too, it was a way to pressure me, the most influential man in town, to do your bidding. 

 

Tetsuji: You weren’t allowed access to the investigation… so she couldn’t know who did it… but the possibility that one of her friends had killed her own mother was haunting her. 

 

Tetsuji: And that’s when she got the idea of the killing game!

 

{Back to normal} 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} By putting all of you in this killing game, she would exact retribution on the man responsible for the downfall of her group… 

 

Tetsuji: And at the same time, eliminate every possible suspect for her mother’s murder!

 

Tetsuji: Now, you folks didn't need too much convincing, you were all so determined to punish Hayato… but in the end, Hikari manipulated you allinto doing her bidding! 

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} That’s what I call killing two birds with one stone!

 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} I… don’t believe you man…

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} In the end… was it just a personal vendetta?

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Hikari… is he telling the truth?

 

Hikari: {Pale, empty eyes} … 

 

Hikari: We had… no reason left to live… everyone had been wiped out… 

 

Hikari: {Cold stare} You all agreed to it… you were willing to die for our ideals. 

 

Hikari: But I had to see this through… I had to take revenge on my mother’s murderer. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} But… Hikari-chan, how did you know it was one of us?

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} The whole staff had been given the day off when you folks came, people weren’t too comfortable sharing an office with the Final Legion of Despair. 

 

Tetsuji: Only the security guards were there… them and Kanna of course. 

 

Tetsuji: You… were the most likely suspects…

 

Hikari: {Pale, empty eyes} It all worked out… too perfectly… it was the only way to be sure… 

 

Hikari: You understand, don’t you?

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Hides head in helmet} … 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} … 

 

Hayato: {Defeated} … 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} The old you… the real you… would have understood me. 

 

… 

 

The real us…? No… 

 

The real me is not what I used to be… it can’t have been… 

 

A member of Ultimate Despair… 

 

That’s not who I am… is it?

 

… 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Well, that certainly clears things up, doesn’t it?

 

Shinto: {Frowns} I guess it does… 

 

Shinto: {Bites} It’s not a satisfactory solution though… 

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} Both the group as a whole and Hikari herself have done these horrible things… for the sake of revenge… 

 

Jessie: {Head down, tears dripping on podium} 11 of us died… for that revenge. 

 

Tetsuji: Hey, hey hey! May I remind you folks that you were 100% into this! You agreed to die for Despair’s sake. 

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} You were… avenging despair, so to speak. 

 

Shinto: {Points at cast, sad} Yoko… and everyone else… could still be here if we hadn’t been so foolish. 

 

Hikari: {Pale, empty eyes} Whether you understand it or not… it was the only way… 

 

Hikari: We didn’t have a chance to live… and this was the only way I could die peacefully… 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I had… no choice… 

 

… 

 

And so that was the truth… the terrible truth behind this killing game. 

 

The whole class agreed to participate to get revenge on me, while Hikari secretly manipulated them to indiscriminately get revenge on Kanna’s murderer by wiping out the entire class. 

 

Hikari: {Pale, empty eyes} … 

 

After everything, I almost feel sorry for her… despite how horrible her actions were… her mother was murdered… I can’t imagine how she must have felt.

 

But I cannot forgive her, just as she could not forgive us… 

 

Hayato: {Bitter} Hikari… I…

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Tcheh… 

 

This guy… 

 

The only question that remains is… where does he fit in all of this?

 

The class wanted revenge, so did Hikari… but why is he here?

 

Where does he fit in this puzzle?

 

Tetsuji: So here we are, now that Hikari’s little secret is out in the open, you folks understand how important figuring out the true culprit’s identity will be don’t you?

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} If the truth doesn’t come out, then it would all have been for nothing… her whole quest for revenge… 

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} We wouldn’t want that would we? 

 

Kôzuke: {Looks to side} You could also just tell her who did it and we could all move on with our lives. 

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} No, no, no! That just won’t do! 

 

Tetsuji: Class trials are about solving cases, I can’t just hand you the truth on a silver platter, where’s the intellectual incentive in that?

 

Monokuma: {Excited} That’s right, I’ve always said that-

 

Tetsuji: {Threatening} I didn’t ask for your input though. 

 

Monokuma: {Sad} S-Sorry boss. 

 

Tetsuji: Now, we’re back to square one aren’t we? 

 

Tetsuji: {Theatrically sad expression} You know why it’s so crucial that you identify the real culprit, so now do it. 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} If the guilty party is still alive, they will be executed and you will spend the rest of your lives here. 

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} Get it wrong, and it’s night night for everyone… 

 

Tetsuji: That goes for Hikari too. 

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Hikari-chan too? I thought she was safe…

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} No, no no! She’s a player in this game like the rest of you! As I said, there will be no special treatment. 

 

Tetsuji: Fairness! Remember?

 

Hikari: {Pale, empty eyes} Please, help me… get the truth… that’s all I need. 

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} There’s no winning here, is there?

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} I guess I’d rather live here than being executed but…

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-No… I really don’t want to stay here either!

 

Kôzuke: {Angry tears} What are we supposed to do man? 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} Hikari! How can you accept his outcome?

 

Hikari: {Pale, empty eyes} If we cannot find the truth… then this is an appropriate punishment. 

 

Hikari: I have no reason… to continue. 

 

Hikari: All I want is the truth… the rest doesn’t matter to me. 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} But… Hikari-chan, if we get it right, you will have gotten what you wanted! Why can’t we just go free?

 

Hikari: {Distressed} I guess… it’s out of my hands. 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Heh, that it is!

 

Tetsuji: This feels like a fair deal, I’m allowing you to investigate this matter, but in return you accept a permanent change in your living situation. 

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} How exhilarating!

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} B-But… we never accepted that!

 

Tetsuji: {Examining whiskey glass, narrowed eyes} Well, Hikari did… and she sort of represents you folks. Either way… it’s decided!

 

Kôzuke: {Worried} That just means… we’re screwed in both scenarios man… 

 

Tetsuji: {Threatening} I wouldn’t waste any more time complaining if I were you, you don’t have long before the vote!

 

Jessie: Hayato-kun… you’ll get us out of this one… right?

 

Hayato: {Defeated} … 

 

Jessie: {Sad} H-Hayato-kun?

 

Hayato: I… I don’t know… I’m sorry… 

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} Seriously man?

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} The great Hayato, speechless? Boy am I glad I came down here to see this live!

 

… 

 

I… don’t know what to do.

 

This is a lose-lose situation… I can’t see a way out. 

 

Either we’ll be killed or we’ll be left to rot here forever. In both cases, we lose. 

 

Tetsuji: {Cigar in mouth, smirks} Tcheh… heh… 

 

He came here and changed the rules… and now we’re left in an impossible situation, an unwinnable game. 

 

Tetsuji: You can stand there in silence all you want… but the clock is ticking. 

 

… 

 

Take a deep breath Hayato… I have to figure something out quickly. 

 

Hikari: {Pale, empty eyes} … 

 

Hikari wants to uncover the truth about her mother’s killer and have them executed

 

She doesn’t really care whether we get out of here or not, she just wants revenge. 

 

Tetsuji: {Examining whiskey glass, narrowed eyes} … 

 

On the other hand, it looks like Tetsuji doesn’t want us to leave at all, but I don’t think he cares what happens to the culprit. 

 

Their positions are contradictory… and now we’re stuck in this impasse.  

 

I have to find a way to create a third option, one where we get out of here… alive. 

 

There has to be something! 

 

Tetsuji: In your own time. 

 

Tetsuji… if I’m right, then he plays a very important role in this trial… much larger than he would have us believe.

 

Why is he here? What does he have to gain by participating in this killing game in the first place? 

 

This could be… the breakthrough I needed.  

 

I just need to focus… and figure it out once and for all. 

 

Think Hayato… think!

 

AFTERWORD BEGINS

 

(Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP7r1TVINsg ) 

 

Q1: Who’s really in charge of the killing game? 

 

{Hayato/Hikari/Tetsuji} 

 

… 

 

 

… 

 

Answer: Tetsuji

 

Q2: What sort of leverage does he have against Hikari 

 

{He knows of the crimes she committed/He knows who killed Kanna/He has taken her family hostage}

 

… 

 

 

… 

 

Answer: He knows who killed Kanna 

 

Yes that’s right… Tetsuji is clearly the one in charge here. 

 

They might have been working together initially, but he’s got the upper hand now. 

 

Not only does he seem to have more influence… he’s likely holding the knowledge of Kanna’s murderer over her head… 

 

Her need for answers is what keeps her obedient. 

 

So now… how do I use this information to find a way out of this mess? 

 

I need to go deeper! 

 

===

 

AFTERWORD RESUMES

 

Q3: What’s the reason for this lose-lose situation? 

{Both people in charge want opposite things/They both want to find the culprit/They both want us to stay at the resort}

 

 

 

 

Answer: Both people in charge want opposite things

 

Q4: How could we win this trial?

{Kill them both/Get one of them to change their mind/Refuse to participate in the trial

 

 

 

 

Answer: Get one of them to change their mind

 

Q5 : Who’s the most likely to change their mind? 

{Tetsuji/Hikari} 

 

 

 

 

Answer: Hikari

 

Tetsuji is in complete control of the situation, he’s calm and collected and seemingly won’t budge. 

 

Hikari is a different beast. I think she’s torn… 

 

She doesn’t actually want the outcome that Tetsuji is forcing on us but she sees it as a necessary evil to get revenge. 

 

I think we could change her mind… if only there was a way to change her perspective on things. 

 

There’s only one thing that comes to mind… if I could prove it, it would change the whole dynamic of the trial. 

 

Right now, the question isn’t can I do it but… how do I do it. 

 

It’s the only way… to save our lives

 

===



FINAL QUESTION

 

Q6: How do we save everyone? 

 

{Prove that Kanna committed suicide/Prove that Hikari killed Kanna/Prove that Tetsuji killed Kanna} 

 

 

… 

 

 

Answer: Prove that Tetsuji killed Kanna

 

… 

 

CONCLUSION : THERE IS A WAY TO WIN

 

{BREAK}

 

This is it, my last gambit.  

 

The idea had crossed my mind before, but I hadn’t given it much thought… 

 

Tetsuji… the true culprit. 

 

If we consider that possibility it would explain so much about everything that happened today… 

 

I don’t really have the evidence to prove it right now but… I have no choice but to try. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} M-Mom… I’m sorry… 

 

Proving his guilt would bring Hikari to our side… I’m sure of it. 

 

It’s now or never. I really hope this works out. 

 

Tetsuji : {Clenches fist around glass, frustrated} Alright… if you won’t discuss this, I’m going to run out of patience very quickly. 

 

Tetsuji : Your loss… you’ll just have to blindly vote and accept a 1/16 chance of survival-

 

(Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHjBHFDoTOU)

 

Hayato: {Thinking hard} We won’t blindly vote Tetsuji, don’t you worry about that.

 

Hayato: And I’m sorry to point this out but… 

 

Hayato: {Grinning} I think you got your fraction wrong… 

 

Tetsuji : {Serious expression} What are you talking about?

 

Jessie: {Shocked} Hayato-kun…?

 

Let’s do this!

 

Hayato: With regard to Kanna Muratagi’s murder… 

 

Hayato: {Determined} I’m ready to make an accusation!

 

Shinto: {Bites hat} H-Huh?

 

Kôzuke: {Grasps medals} N-No way…

 

Hikari: {Shocked with hand over mouth} You know… who did it?

 

Tetsuji: {Laughs out loud} How audacious! You don’t even need to discuss it with your colleagues. 

 

Tetsuji: Please, do tell me who you have your eye on!

 

Hayato: {Bitter} The true culprit… who murdered Kanna Muratagi, pinned the blame on Jiro and is now trying to weasel out of it by manipulating the trial… 

 

Hayato: That person has been pulling the strings all along… they used the plans of the Final Legion of Despair to further their own agenda… to hide their own crime. 

 

Hikari: {Distressed} … 

 

Shinto: {Points with cane, accusatory} … 

 

Kôzuke: {Objection stance} … 

 

Jessie: {Pouting} … 

 

Tetsuji: {Serious expression} … 

 

Hayato: {Determined} The culprit… is you… 

 

Hayato: Tetsuji Kuzuryu! You’re the real murderer!

 

TO BE CONTINUED 

 

Notes:

What a turn of events. It appears that Hayato and his friends will need to win Hikari back if they want a chance to make it out alive. Tune in next time for the final chapter of DR: AD to see for yourself whether they manage to do so!

Now, it's time to address the Kurozo in the room (lol). You all deserve some explanations as to why I haven't updated the fic in almost two years. Long story short, I started writing this fic in school, and I am now almost done with uni (I feel so old). I have been extremely busy and have had a lot of trouble finding the time and motivation to keep writing, especially since the lack of new DR content has left me feeling unmotivated.

In addition to that, I have been struggling with this chapter. What I loved most about writing this fic were the individual murder cases; however, trying to wrap up a larger story has proven much more challenging than the rest. I simply wasn't satisfied with what I was writing, and that's why I kept delaying my writing sessions.

Thankfully, I've found the motivation to get back to writing properly these last few weeks (I think the release of Rain Code helped in that regard), and I'm finally content with this chapter. Because it's been so hard for me to write, I'd love to hear your feedback on what you thought of it in the comments or in the still-active Discord server: https://discord.gg/uJm3cYe.

All that's left for me to do is to thank you for reading, for your patience, and for sticking around after almost 5 years of writing. I know I'm not the fastest writer, but I'm moved by the support I've received during my absence! We've surpassed 20k hits since the last time I updated! Thanks a ton for that as well.

I'm leaving for holidays tomorrow, so I won't be able to start working on the final chapter just yet, but I promise that I'll get it out as soon as possible. I've set the bar pretty low, so I think we'll be okay.

Thanks once again for reading, it really means a lot to me. I hope to see you soon in the final chapter of DR : AD!