Actions

Work Header

Drunk on you, the finest wine

Chapter 5

Notes:

Hey I'm sorry I missed last week :( My laptop was out BUT now it's finally good so it all just depends on my motivation to write this....

(Also, stream LY:Tear)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Let it be known that Jungkook was an early riser. A very early riser, no matter how late he stayed up, as opposed to Yoongi who couldn’t wake up early to save his life even if he slept for 12 hours straight. The young Alpha also took an evil sort of pleasure in waking Yoongi up in the most horrible ways despite the fact that that usually got Yoongi angry with him. The older just assumed he did it so he could act like a brat and make Yoongi feel bad for getting mad at him at the same time.

Friday morning was no different in that aspect as Jungkook barged into Yoongi’s apartment with just a few minutes till 8 am. He waltzed into the bedroom, singing something awful, and started hitting Yoongi with the extra pillow until he retaliated and Jungkook ended up pouting on the floor again.

“Why do you always hit me that hard?” he whined as Yoongi rubbed his eyes to get the sleep out of them. “Even if it’s just a pillow, it hurts, hyung!”

“Then try waking me up like a normal fucking person for once and maybe I won’t be a dick back at you,” Yoongi grumbled and threw the covers back so he could get up and start getting ready.

Kook just humphed and buried his face in the pillow he was still holding, while Yoongi wobbled his way over to the glass bathroom door. “Smell like you,” the younger chimed contently.

Yoongi paused and glanced back at him. “Don’t say that,” he sighed tiredly and slapped the palm of his hand to his forehead so his thoughts wouldn’t wander back to…

Jimin.

“You don’t let me scent you, so I’m just gonna scent your extra pillow. How about that?”

Yoongi was about to snap at him, but stopped to consider. “Fine,” he said and went into his bathroom to take a shower. Jungkook’s scent would be a nice distraction. He still sometimes thought he could smell Jimin around the apartment. Most of the time he wrote it off as his imagination, but when he thought about it, it wasn’t impossible with how strong the Omega’s scent had been that night.

In a subconscious gesture, he brought a hand up and pressed in to his shoulder through the fabric of his sleep shirt. It stung. He winced just barely and went to check.

Teeth marks. Right. Oh fuck.

Yoongi needed to take a cold shower and get his head on straight.

 

 

《♡》

 

 

Yoongi shouldn’t have been surprised. He noticed it practically the second he walked into the building. Jungkook was too busy shooting off texts on his phone next him to take notice of the falter in the older’s step when Yoongi realized he could smell everything but that scent he had been preparing himself for the entire drive there (or, more realistically, since last night when he’d learned they’d be meeting). He shouldn’t have been surprised. But he was.

The disappointment worming its way into his chest was quickly stomped down and replaced by irritation. Jimin was avoiding him, actively at that. But Yoongi was done and he wouldn’t let that get to him.

He resumed his walk through the lobby, bypassing the information desk and a curious administrator, to catch up to Jungkook who still hadn’t noticed his absence. The upside to this was that he wouldn’t have to wear a face mask during the whole meeting. Not that he needed it anymore. He was fairly certain Jimin’s heavy scent wouldn’t affect him as strongly as it first had. He had… gotten used to it. But he had decided to wear the mask just in case. When they stepped into the elevator- which was empty save for the two of them- he took it off and stuffed it in his pocket. Immediately he was assaulted by an almost nauseating mix of smells, but he blinked away the tears that sprung to his eyes and sucked it up because he was fucking annoyed and being strict with himself helped.

They were the last ones there this time as well. They took their seats around the familiar oblong darkwood table, Jungkook with enthusiastic ‘hello’s to everyone there and Yoongi with a slightly forced smile. He caught Taehyung’s eye where the Omega was sitting on the opposite end of the table and thought he saw a flash of something he couldn’t quite place. Well, there was only one thing it could be about, wasn’t there? He looked away, hoping he got the message across that he was not in the mood for that talk right now, and turned to Eun-Se who had started speaking about her meeting with the Editing Department and how things went.

They had ended up choosing one of the pictures Yoongi had guessed, but he couldn’t really bring himself to feel as satisfied as he normally would have. He smiled and thanked everyone when they commended him on his work, chuckling politely when Seokjin started complaining about them using the photo with the much disliked coat and how that would make everyone think he was into fur lined clothing when he very much wasn’t. A tragedy really.

Eun-Se’s people had apparently been very pleased with all their work; her pride in that was obvious in her smile and the way her citrusy scent flared. Namjoon and Hoseok, who were seated on either side of Seokjin (and rather close, Yoongi noticed; he had them already), were ecstatic when she told them she had forwarded their business information to the Japanese branch of Reflection as they had reportedly been struggling to find Lighting and Digital technicians. Seokjin was, of course, highly praised by the Board of Directors for his stunning visuals and the natural manner in which he posed, which Yoongi agreed with. Taehyung only smiled when he was complimented for his work as well, clearly not his usual energetic self (Yoongi tried not to care), but perked up when he heard Jimin’s name.

“And Jimin!” Eun-Se began, but stopped when she looked around and realized the make-up artist in question wasn’t there. “Oh, right. He informed me he wouldn’t be able to make it.” Yoongi rolled his eyes and got a light kick from Jungkook, who was sitting next to him, under the table. “Well, the directors loved his work as well, and one of our designers showed interest in contracting him for an upcoming fashion show!”

Something a little like pride sparked in Yoongi’s chest and he let it wash over him. It was a good feeling. He was happy for Jimin, his hurt feelings notwithstanding. When the sweet scent of caramel hit him, Yoongi turned to Taehyung to see him absolutely beaming in delight- the most openly expressive he had been all day that Yoongi had been witness to. Two seats to his left, Seokjin looked conflicted between happiness and worry, likely because he might be losing the stellar make-up artists he had had all to himself up till now. Finally, the model settled for a resigned smile and shot Taehyung a look which the younger returned, preening.

Seeing this exchange made Yoongi smile his first genuine smile today, the flutter of emotion in his stomach, which he thought he had squashed down, resurfacing. He suddenly wanted so badly to see Jimin again. His chest felt tight. He hated this.

 

 

《♡》

 

 

The meeting ended a little over an hour after it began with Eun-Se’s promise to send them all the 20 photos which were deemed the best in their newly edited format so they could add them to their portfolios if they wanted. As everyone filed out of the room, still talking animatedly, Yoongi was stopped by a hand on his shoulder. It was Taehyung, looking a bit like a scolded child. Yoongi turned to him, letting the others get ahead of them, and raised his eyebrows in question.

Taehyung removed his hand and started speaking quietly. “I need to talk to you about Jimin,” he muttered, glancing at something behind Yoongi- probably the rest walking ahead.

The Alpha barely kept in his sigh, not wanting to be crass with Taehyung like last time since this was hardly his fault, but still exasperated. “It’s fine, Tae. You and Jimin don’t owe me an explanation.” He went to turn around and be on his way, more than done with the conversation, but the younger’s hand on his shoulder stopped him again.

“Please, just let me say what I have to say and you can do or… not do , I guess, whatever you want.” His eyes were pleading, big, and brown, and somehow so similar to Jungkook’s that Yoongi had to do a double take. Oh, they were growing on each other so quickly.

He turned his head to see where the rest of their group was and found them at the end of the hall, still speaking and waiting for the lift, while a lone figure- Jungkook- waited by the door of the meeting room and observed Yoongi and Tae with a curious and somewhat disapproving expression. Yoongi looked back to Taehyung and found him smiling sheepishly at Jungkook. Yoongi bit the inside of his cheeks so he wouldn’t grin like an idiot.

But as for Tae’s offer… He wasn’t sure what he should do. He didn’t want to let himself get roped into something that would just fuck things up even more. He had declared himself officially done with this whole thing. But the nagging little mess of feelings in the back if his head spoke otherwise and, with this new prospect of just…. Jimin, it pushed him closer and closer to the affirmative.

He looked at Taehyung for a long moment, weighing his options and fighting the Omega’s adorable puppy dog eyes.

“I just don’t want you to resent him,” the stylist said softly.

Yoongi blinked. Resent Jimin? No… he didn’t. He… Did he? Did he resent Jimin? He didn’t want to. He was hurt, but he didn’t want this to be what he remembered Jimin by.

“Okay,” he said, a bit dazed and in his own head.

“Okay?” Taehyung repeated with wide eyes, the corners of his lips tugging up in a smile he was clearly trying to fight.

“Yes, Tae,” Yoongi affirmed and shook his head a bit to clear his thoughts.

Taehyung spasmed in joy, fistpumping in the air before he took Yoongi by the elbow and started leading him toward the group which was just walking into the elevator. They passed by Jungkook in a hurry, confusing the young Alpha and making him scramble after them, frazzled.

“Sorry, Kookie. We’ll talk later,” Taehyung threw over his shoulder at Jungkook, pulling Yoongi after him and nearly making him trip over his own feet. “Hold the doors!” he shouted ahead, startling the others and prompting Seokjin to put a hand out to stop the lift from closing with a curious half smile on his face.

They got in, Yoongi and Jungkook stumbling, and made everyone laugh as the doors slid closed and Taehyung buzzed with excitement next to Yoongi. He sighed and hoped this wouldn’t end in disaster.

 

 

《♡》

 

 

Sinking lower into his seat, Yoongi checked his watch for the time and looked around impatiently. Why was this café so packed? Yoongi had needed to put his mask back on because of the huge amount of scents in the coffee shop, thus depriving himself of the aroma of freshly brewed coffee he actually adored. Taehyung had gone to get them both a drink without even asking Yoongi what he’d like to drink, mind you, and had been at the register for over 12 minutes now. Yoongi was counting.

He was starting to get uncomfortable, feeling like everyone was watching the guy sitting alone at a table in the back. Maybe if it were less full, it would feel as cozy as was obviously intended when decorating. It was a little hole in the wall place Tae had suggested with small, red tinted wooden tables, red brick walls, and colorful club chairs strewn about in no particular order.

Yoongi twisted in his chair to search for Taehyung, considering just getting up and going to find him, but calmed down when he saw the younger making his way through the labyrinth of furniture with two paper cups in his hands. He smiled brightly, apologing to one girl he had accidentally knocked into and continued shimmying awkwardly towards Yoongi and his table. A thought entered Yoongi’s mind that Tae looked good in this chaos. It sort of suited him and he seemed to take it in stride even when he ran into one less than polite guy, who Yoongi would have scoffed at and ignored, but the Omega just smiled and apologized again. Tae handled himself well, thrived even, in busy surroundings as it seemed. Yoongi on the other hand was the complete opposite, preferring peace and quiet and getting stressed easily.

His train of thought travelled back to Jungkook and Taehyung’s date tomorrow. Perhaps the Omega would be a good influence on his brother, would get him to come out of his shell and try socializing more.

A steaming cup was thrust in front of his face and Yoongi shook his head, blinking rapidly in surprise. He took it in both his hands, enjoying the warmth, and turned back towards the table and Tae who was just taking his seat opposite him.

“Sorry it took so long. There was this guy in front of me who couldn’t decide if he wanted a chocolate or strawberry donut,” Tae laughed and took the lid off his cup to add a packet of sugar, mixing it into the drink. The steam hit him in the face and made him sigh contently. “The coffee here is amazing, hyung. You’ll love it!”

Yoongi eyed his cup, unsure since he had no idea what Tae could have gotten him, then glanced up at the stylist when he heard him let out a hiss through his teeth.

“’s hot,” he panted with his tongue sticking out. “Careful.”

Yoongi nodded in acknowledgement and turned back to his drink. He popped the lid off and was suddenly hit by the strong smell of coffee, even through his mask. He hummed, realizing it was an Americano. Tae handed him one of the stirrers he’d brought and Yoongi looked up at him, pleasantly surprised that he’d somehow gotten his choice of drink right.

“Nice guess. I usually drink Americano or plain Espresso,” he said stirring the boiling hot coffee.

“Glad I got it right!” the younger chimed with a boxy smile that Yoongi returned behind his mask. “It was pretty easy to guess actually. You seem like the kind of person to enjoy bitter things.”

Yoongi’s stopped stirring his drink and fixed Tae with a wide eyed stare.

“Did Jimin tell you that or what?” he asked, almost bristling.

“What? No! He didn’t tell me-“

“He said the exact same thing the other night,” Yoongi countered with a harsh tone, making Taehyung furrow his brow and huff in annoyance.

“Don’t take your shit out on me, hyung,” he warned. “I’m just the mediator here.”

Yoongi watched him for a second, feeling his temper simmer down as quickly as it had flared. “Sorry,” he muttered as his eyes dropped to the tabletop in shame. Tae was right. Yoongi shouldn’t take his frustrations out on him when he was just trying to help. Or… whatever he was doing.

“Just hear me out quietly, okay?” the stylist offered with a sheepish smile.

“Yeah, I’m not a kid,” Yoongi smiled timidly. He put the lid back on his cup and brought it up to his mouth, but then remembered he’d have to take his mask off in order to drink. Seeing this, Taehyung snorted and Yoongi shot him an unimpressed look before uncovering his mouth and taking a sip. “Mh, this is good,” he drawled, covering his mouth with the mask again. It was really good, and also very hot, but that was how Yoongi liked it.

“I know! Jin-hyung, Chim and I come here pretty often since their drinks are amazing! But,” he laughed and leaned in conspiringly towards Yoongi who did the same, if a little confusedly, “people started noticing Jin-hyung around here, so now it’s always packed with people waiting to spot him.” He looked at Yoongi with a lopsided smile before drawing back and chuckling in his low voice.

Yoongi smiled too and shook his head. Only Taehyung would find it funny that Seokjin, Jimin and he weren’t allowed some peace and quiet even for something as simple as enjoying a good coffee. A real social butterfly, this one.

“But anyway,” Taehyung began and snatched Yoongi’s attention with the sudden change in his tone from playful to serious. Maybe slightly concerned, looking at the apprehensive expression on his face before he cast his eyes down to his paper cup. “We came to talk about Chim.”

That was a rather sudden turn in the conversation, Yoongi thought. His amusement drained away quickly and he leaned back in his seat. “Let’s talk then,” he said flatly and, when Taehyung didn't start immediately, decided to take a sip of his coffee to give the Omega time to regroup and gather his thoughts.

Tae nervously mimicked the action, wincing at the temperature again, but managed to get his bearings and started speaking. “So I talked to him the other day. He didn’t wanna tell me anything at first, said it was too embarrassing,” he smiled wryly and Yoongi’s eyes widened in not-quite-surprise. “He gave in eventually though, and I realized… you’re misunderstanding things.” The Alpha’s brows shot up and, seeing his shocked expression, Tae scrambled to continue. “What I mean is…Ugh, it would be so much better if his bitchy ass just spoke to you directly, but he doesn’t want to, and now I’m stuck trying to fix both your shit when I could be getting it on with Jungkoo-“

His mouth clamped shut. He glanced at Yoongi uneasily and was met with a flat stare from the older, who was unimpressed, but not opposed. They’d get to that part too. He just nodded for Taehyung to continue. The Omega breathed out and in again and opened his mouth. “As I was saying, you think Jimin… used you or something, right?”

Yoongi’s eyes narrowed in consideration and he brought his drink up to his mouth, removing the mask. “Not really, no,” he said before taking a sip and replacing the mask over his mouth and nose. He didn’t feel used, as Taehyung had put it. They’d both wanted it- Yoongi and Jimin- that much was clear. Rather than that, Yoongi felt disappointed, but he knew full well it wasn’t with Jimin. Just…generally. With his shit luck. “What’s your point?” he asked, sensing a prickle of a bad mood and doing his best to stomp it down.

Tae gave him an unconvinced look and took a drink of his coffee. “Chim told me it was the best night of his life,” he stated straightoforwardly, almost making Yoongi choke on air. “He loved it and he didn’t want to have to leave like that, but he didn’t know what else to do. See, you’ve probably noticed he’s a skittish little thing most of the time. He’s never had a one night stand in his life, so he isn’t familiar with the aftermath.” He was gesturing animatedly in front of himself at this point, but Yoongi wasn't looking at him. He was staring at the table, taking everything in. “Basically he just panicked and ran away and now he really wants to call you, but he’s super shy and painfully awkward so he won’t do it himself. Which is why I’m here since I’m such a great fucking friend.”

The air around them was still, Yoongi processing and Tae waiting for him.

So it was just a misunderstanding? Jimin actually liked him? Well, like … maybe not that far, but he didn’t hate Yoongi? And he wanted to talk with him?

The Alpha snorted a laugh and brought his hands up to palm at his face. This was ridiculous. Taehyung watched him, worry growing by the second, until Yoongi looked up and fixed him with a stupid grin. The stylist beamed and they both lapsed into laughter, shaking with the effort to keep the volume to a minimum. They still attracted weird looks when Tae doubled over and nearly slammed his forehead into the table in his hysteria, but Yoongi couldn’t care less about that right now. This was amazing!

He couldn’t believe he’d spent the last two days sulking over nothing.

“Okay, okay,” Taehyung wheezed, breathing heavily and still giggling. “You’re both dumbasses, but Chim’s the bigger one, so you’re gonna have to call him first.”

Yoongi shot him a disapproving look. “Why me?”

“Because he’s stubborn as all hell and he just won’t do it! What do you think I’ve been telling him these past two days? He just will not do it!” Tae said, trying to sound serious, but cracking up towards the end, consequently making Yoongi snort loudly and hide his face in his hands. “Aw, don’t be shy, hyung!” he cooed as he petted Yoongi’s shoulder, snickering.

The older wiped tears from his eyes and tried to calm down as his head was beginning to hurt from all the laughing. “Fine. I’ll do it,” he offered with an exasperated sigh, smile giving his amusement away. Tae grinned and vibrated in his seat, while Yoongi took a sip from his now tepid coffee. “But he probably won’t answer since he has my number saved,” he noted, clicking his tongue. “Unless he’s deleted it?”

Tae shook his head. “Nope, still has it. I’m sure.” Hearing that made Yoongi…happy. Just a little bit. Tae hummed in thought and looked to the ceiling for answers. Then his eyes snapped back to Yoongi’s, bright and excited. “We’ll just call him from my phone!”

Yoongi’s brows shot up. He gave the stylist a look that showed just how uncertain he was that this was a good idea. “That doesn’t seem like something a ‘great fucking friend’ would do.” He wanted to talk to Jimin, but he wanted to do it right.

“Shut up! I’m not gonna give you my phone and let you call and say whatever you want to him!” Tae said, scandalized by the insinuation. “I’m gonna call him here and put him on speaker. That way I can monitor your oblivious asses and remain unchallenged as Chim’s bestest best friend!” He shot Yoongi a glare for even suggesting otherwise and the Alpha laughed heartily.

“If you’re sure it’s a good idea… I mean, I wanna try this out, but-“

“But nothing! Stop second guessing shit and go for it! Where’s the guy that swept my Chim off his feet the other night, huh?” Tae questioned harshly.

“He’s not here. It’s just me and my insecurities,” Yoongi deadpanned, earning a stern look from the Omega sitting across from him.

“Shut the fuck up and talk to him,” Tae said drily, finality clear in his tone as he whipped out his phone and started dialing.

Yoongi’s pulse suddenly spiked. “Oh, wow, wow, stop! You can’t just-“

“Too late, it’s already dialing.” The younger put the phone up to his ear and gave a reassuring look to Yoongi who was quickly starting to panic.

The Alpha looked down to his cup and fumbled with it nervously, trying to take to a sip and choking a little on it when Tae suddenly said, “Hey there, Chim!” signaling the make-up artist had picked up. Yoongi managed to clear his throat as Tae watched him with amusement. “Look, I’m gonna put you on speaker for a second,” he said and did so, bringing the phone away from his ear and setting it on the table between them.

“What? Tae, why?” came Jimin’s voice from the other end. Despite the bustle and noise in the coffee shop, Yoongi heard him loud and clear and his heart fluttered in his chest. Jimin…

“Just listen, okay?” Tae said and gave Yoongi a nod when Jimin agreed, though hesitantly.

Yoongi’s throat closed up. It took him two tries before he found his voice. “Jimin?” he said, hoarse- from choking or from nerves, he didn’t know. The line was quiet, not a sound since Jimin’s confirmation earlier. Yoongi thought that couldn’t be a good sign. Even so, there was a flicker of hope in him, and in any other case he would have kicked himself for it, but right now he wanted to be hopeful. At least a little bit. “It’s Yoongi. I think we need to talk.”

A crackle was heard from the other end that Yoongi thought might have been a sharp inhale. He looked up at Taehyung with uncertain eyes and the younger just motioned for him to keep going, biting his lip in suspense.

“Yoongi?” Jimin said at last. For some reason it made Yoongi break out in a dumb smile.

“Yeah,” he said with a light chuckle. “I think… Would you be willing to meet with me? Or, I don’t know, talk? On the phone? In private?” He cast Taehyung a knowing look which the Omega frowned at.

“I- I’m not so sure.” Jimin’s voice sounded small and Yoongi immediately backtracked, worried he was coming on too strong.

Just take it easy, Yoongi. Take it slow. Like last time.

No, not like last time, you idiot!

Yoongi barely stopped himself from slapping a hand to his forehead and just shook his head to clear his less than helpful thoughts.

“Okay, wait,” he said, trying not to sound pushy and frantic. His heart was beating so fast. “Jimin, I’m sorry. I like you. A lot.” Taehyung jumped a bit and gave him a wide eyed look. Yoongi pressed his lips into a thin line. That was too much, wasn’t it?

“H-hyung, I-“ Jimin stuttered, but Yoongi cut him off, his anxiety suddenly spiking.

“Would you like to model for me? I mean a… a trade for portfolio shoot?” he said quickly, making Taehyung hiss a sharp “What?!”

Even Yoongi himself had no idea where that came from.

He just sat there and looked helplessly from Tae to the phone, which was deathly quiet. And then, without another word between them, he heard the sound of the call hanging up. The phone flashed Jimin’s contact- a picture of him laughing with what looked like kimchi sauce on his mouth- and then went black as Yoongi and Tae stared at it.

It was the latter who spoke up first. “That was-“ he exhaled heavily, putting his phone away and leaving Yoongi to stare blankly at the table. “Hyung, you are… a disaster, ” he snickered and Yoongi’s eyes flew up to him. Tae’s face dropped and he cleared his throat awkwardly. “I mean. I think you just overwhelmed him. Telling him you like him and then asking him to model for you?”

Yoongi did slap his palm to his forehead this time. Hard. He groaned. “I’m such a fuck up.” Tae snickered again and Yoongi gave him a harsh look.

“I’d tell you to try again. But that depends on whether or not Chim decides to answer. You’re on your own from here.”

Yoongi just deflated and laid his head on the table, thumping his forehead against the top once. “How is it possible to be so bad at… people?” he asked the table, or the heavens, or Tae. The Omega snorted and patted his shoulder.

“It’s okay! It’s part of your charm! We can’t all be good with people,” he said, probably intending to comfort Yoongi somewhat.

Yoongi rolled his head on the wooden surface to look at the stylist who took a sip of his coffee that was most likely cold by now, and grimaced. “I don’t suppose you can teach me your ways?” he said, only half-jokingly, but Tae barked a loud laugh anyway, shaking his head. Yoongi sighed deeply. “Then teach Jungkook? He’s not as awkward as me, just kind of shy.”

Tae stopped laughing and narrowed his eyes at him. “Way to change the subject. Subtle,” he chimed.

“What? We explored my train wreck of a love life, so it’s only fair you spill some details on yours too. Besides, he’s my brother I’m just making sure you-“

The Omega sputtered and made Yoongi jump up in surprise. “He’s your brother?!” Tae asked, eyes bulging.

“Yes?” Yoongi offered. “Well, step brother. My mom married his dad when I was 15 and he was 6. They actually divorced again some 2 years later, but Kook and I were pretty close by then so we stuck together. We have ever since.” He leaned back in his seat, suddenly feeling a bit less like shit at the rush of fondness remembering these things brought him. They’d had to constantly go between Jungkook’s dad’s place and Yoongi's mom’s house, which proved complicated, but they’d made it work.

“Oh… I didn’t know that,” Tae said with a small but genuine smile which Yoongi returned.

“Ask him about it on your date tomorrow if you want,” he said and managed not crack up at Tae’s indignant little sound. “But if he starts talking about me he probably won’t shut up, so maybe don’t. He’s still sort of a kid when it comes to his big brother.” Yoongi laughed lightly, seeing Tae’s eyes soften even more.

“I don’t know why, but I find everything about him utterly adorable. Somehow this just adds to that,” he chuckled. “Don’t worry, hyung. I’m gonna take good care of your precious baby Kook.” Tae winked with a smug grin and went to take a sip and then sputtered and coughed. “Ew, this tastes like shit when it’s cold,” he grouched and Yoongi laughed.

The Alpha shook his head in resignation and just hoped Jungkook and Taehyung’s date would go better than his…failed attempt.

He didn’t think he’d give up on it just yet. He had no idea how to fix things, but he wanted to try. Just one more time.

But how?

 

 

《♡》

 

 

Somehow, Yoongi didn’t feel as bad about his situation as he probably should. Yeah, he’d screwed up; yeah, Jimin had hung up on him without a word, but there was a glimmer of hope in him now that he knew Jimin didn’t harbor any real negative emotions towards him and that night they spent together.

He found himself excited, anticipating, even though he knew he was getting ahead of himself and there was nothing to be this excited about. He still had to get Jimin to talk to him somehow. The flutter in Yoongi’s chest was the same as he’d felt that night, the near forgotten feeling of wanting someone in a deeper way.

It kind of scared him. He hadn’t felt this vulnerable in years.

The hopeless romantic, the stupid optimist in him was surfacing and Yoongi felt like he was in danger, like he could so easily  get his heart broken again, but all his rational thought was pushed back in favor of hope and want. He wanted to see Jimin. He wanted to smell him, to hear his voice and his laugh, to be in his soothing but also exhilarating presence… He wanted Jimin.

And now that he knew there was a possibility that Jimin wanted him too…

Yoongi let out a breathless, disbelieving chuckle. He registered the sting of his drying eyes and realized he had been staring at the ceiling, slowly turning in his desk chair for who knows how long. He snapped out of his trance and blinked rapidly, laughing again at how fucking gone he was. He straightened up from where he’d slouched on the chair, almost to the point of sliding off. What time was it? Last he remembered, he’d been texting his mother about his completed contract with Reflection as it was her favorite fashion magazine. He’d closed his eyes for a brief moment to rest and he’d somehow ended up getting lost in thought for… almost an hour, he realized as he checked his wristwatch.

It was close to 10 pm- early by his usual standards, but he was feeling rather drained for some reason. Maybe it’d be a good idea to catch some more rest tonight; get mentally prepared for Jungkook’s date tomorrow. Also, that might factor into his exhaustion, Yoongi thought. Jungkook and Taehyung were already excitable and tiresome enough by themselves. What would Yoongi do if he suddenly had double the mischief around his house from now on? He’d die an early death, that’s what.

Or… Perhaps Jungkook’s focus would shift to Tae.

Thinking of that possibility sparked a mix of relief and… jealousy, maybe, in Yoongi’s chest. Realistically, he knew this would change nothing. Just because Jungkook had found someone else to love, didn’t meant he’d stop loving Yoongi. And for all that the older Alpha complained about Kook needing to be a responsible adult… Yoongi still considered him his little brother, the crybaby kid that would follow him around the house, gripping his sleeve and chattering away about all things colorful and cheery.

He remembered when their parents had announced they’d be getting a divorce. Jungkook had been inconsolable, sobbing and refusing to acknowledge the idea of having to leave Yoongi’s side. They’d made it work in the end, Yoongi going over to Jungkook’s every day after school and Jungkook staying at Yoongi’s house on the weekends.

Truthfully, Yoongi was just as attached and codependent as Jungkook was. He didn’t know if that was good or bad thing. Probably leaned more towards bad, he thought, but, with how in his feelings Yoongi was with current issues, he let it slide and ran a thumb over the glass face of the watch on his wrist with a fond smile. He’d talk with Jungkook about this.

Yoongi sighed and shook his head. This was turning into a sappy pity-party and he really just needed some sleep to restart his frazzled brain.

Just then, his phone on the desk next to him signaled an incoming message. Yoongi turned the chair so he faced the desk properly and took his phone. He had notifications for 2 texts from his mother congratulating him and assuring him she’d be bragging to her friends about him, and another one from Taehyung, timestamped a minute ago.

He opened the message and blinked his tired eyes hard when the light made his vision go blurry.

 

Taehyung:

hey so i may have just saved your nonexistent love life

Read [10:03 pm]

 

Yoongi stared and tried to process. His heart rate sped up a little at the implication, but he didn’t want to get his hopes up for nothing, so he shot off a message to Tae, hoping he was assuming right.

 

Me:

taehyung dont fuck with me

whatre you trying to say?

Read [10:04 pm]

 

The Read stamp appeared almost immediately, but the stylist took his time tapping out his response. The indication that he was typing taunted Yoongi until he got impatient.

 

Me:

come on I know you can type faster that that

unless its a fucking novel

Read [10:06 pm]

 

He was going to continue, but Taehyung’s message coming in stopped him.

 

Taehyung:

don’t freak out

chim might text you soon

DO NO FREAK OUT HYUNG istg

•••

 

Yoongi’s mouth was hanging wide open as he read. His pulse was drumming in his ears as he waited for Tae’s next message. Just as he received it, his phone screen lit up and the familiar default ringtone started.

Jimin.

Wasn’t it supposed to be just a text?!

Yoongi nearly dropped his phone. Well, he did drop it, only on his lap, and fumbled like an idiot for an entire 3 seconds before he got a proper grip on the device and managed to answer the call.

“Hello?” he called into the speaker, voice almost breaking as his stomach twisted into a knot.

There was a short silence on the line which thankfully gave Yoongi some time to get his bearings.

Then Jimin’s voice spilled over the speaker. “Hyung? It’s me,” he said, as if Yoongi had deleted his number and wouldn’t recognize him. Or maybe he was just as nervous as Yoongi was. He wanted to believe the later and imagined the soft blush of the Omega’s cheeks.

“Yeah, I know, Jimin,” he answered, smile in his voice. “Hey.”

“Hey.”

Yoongi cracked up and pressed his fist to his mouth to hide the sound. A moment later, Jimin snorted and Yoongi gave up keeping it in.

“Hi, Jiminie,” he said again, through quiet, gleeful laughter, and thanked the universe for the bell-like giggles on the other end of the line. His heart felt close to bursting with happiness.

“Hi, hyungie.” Jimin let out a long breath, clearly trying to rein his laughter in. When he spoke again Yoongi could still hear the smile in his voice. “Are you doing okay?”

Yoongi’s ridiculous grin turned into a mild curve of lips and he leaned back in his chair, closing his eyes to enjoy the melodious sound of Jimin’s voice. “I’m good, Minie. How are you?”

“I’m okay too.”

To any outside listener, they would seem like the picture of awkwardness. Yoongi didn’t feel like that though. And he could hear in Jimin’s words that he didn’t feel like that either. It was just… comforting listening to each other’s voices like this, not really saying anything, just hearing it and enjoying.

It was so foreign, this sensation of ease that came just with the knowledge that Jimin was there, on the other end of the line. Yoongi didn’t think he’d ever experienced this before, but he thought he understood. It wasn’t the overwhelming feeling of fondness he felt so used to- that was an entirely new concept he’d have to explore- rather, it was just Jimin who was so comforting. Like something had clicked into place with the first word out of the Omega’s mouth.

Yoongi considered the idea of soulmates and thought this was something like that. Or at least he hoped so. He’d be the happiest person in the universe if soulmates were a real thing and he were Jimin’s. If Jimin were his.

“How did the meeting today go?” Jimin spoke softly, almost whispering and Yoongi wished he could bottle the sound up and keep it forever.

“Good. It was nice. They chose a nice shot.” He hummed contently and heard Jimin mimic the noise so it turned into a harmony of their voices. He smiled to himself. “One of the collection designers showed interest in your skills. Did Tae tell you?”

“Ah…” The light, breathy sound caught Yoongi’s attention. It was little more than a noise of acknowledgement, but it sounded so sensual. Yoongi’s eyes snapped open and he shuffled in his seat, leaning forward on the desk. “He did. It’s an amazing opportunity.”

“Are you gonna do it?” Yoongi asked and hoped Jimin wouldn’t notice the ragged edge to his tone.

“I don’t know yet. Jin-hyung says I should.” That surprised Yoongi a little. Thinking back, he remembered Seokjin seeming a little worried about losing his prized make-up artist. But he’d apparently settled on urging Jimin to grab the chance. “But it’ll be in Italy. I don’t know if I’m ready to travel that far.”

“Won’t Tae and Jin-hyung be with you?” Yoongi questioned. He, too, was a little wary of leaving Jimin to travel to a completely new place all on his own. But maybe that was the Alpha hormones talking.

“Yeah, there’s that. But, you know, fashion shows are so hectic. I don’t work well under pressure. Can’t even imagine what it’s like for the models.”

The silence that followed was heavy with words unsaid, but Yoongi knew exactly what it meant. His chest twisted tightly with nerves.

“What I said earlier today…” he began and waited to gauge Jimin’s reaction. When the Omega didn’t speak, Yoongi continued. “I really meant it. I think. I want you to be my model.”

In truth, he didn’t know if he had meant it. It had come out as a desperate attempt at holding Jimin’s attention. A little overeager, Yoongi knew. It had scared Jimin off, after all. But here it was again and, now that he reconsidered, Yoongi thought it might not be a bad idea.

He envisioned the photo of Jimin laughing breathlessly- beautiful, happy- that was sitting in the folder on his laptop, and imagined having a hundred more of those shots. That would make his career. The emotional connection to his work he had been seeking- this was it. It was Jimin.

“Yoongi-hyung,” Jimin murmured into Yoongi’s ear. “What would it mean if I accepted? What would we be?”

The Alpha’s breath caught for a second. “Whatever you want, angel.”

“No,” Jimin rejected quickly. “This isn’t just about me. I need to know how you feel about this. Tell me what you want. And I’ll tell you. Okay?”

It was confusing. Yoongi was ready to give Jimin everything, but the Omega wouldn’t accept it. Instead, he had to know what Yoongi wanted in return. Yoongi wasn’t sure if he understood. But his heart felt so full of warmth right that moment.

“Jimin, I want you,” Yoongi stated with conviction. He heard the Omega take in a sharp, stuttering breath. “I just know that… I can love you with my entire being. I think I already do, a little bit.” He chuckled sheepishly. “If you’ll let me… I will love and cherish you more than anything. That’s all I want.”

The line went quiet and Yoongi waited. His heart was a continuous, rapid rhythm in his ears, and his stomach was butterflies and hope and dread, all at once.

Then Jimin spoke and it was all calm.

“I want…” His voice wavered. “I want that. And I want you. I want you to hold me and talk to me. I want to kiss you and be with you and I want to be able to love you.” Jimin inhaled and exhaled slowly. “Is that okay?”

Yoongi might have felt his eyes prickling, but that was of little importance right now.

“Yes, baby. It’s completely fine. You can have all of that and more.”

“Yay,” Jimin cheered quietly, voice shaking, but so happy. “Then yes. I will do this photoshoot for you. I wanna see you.”

Yoongi’s heart soared. “Me too,” he whispered through a chuckle.

And in the end, Yoongi thought this was perfect.

Yoongi was a giver by nature. He just took pleasure in knowing the other person was happy, that he made them happy. He knew that was why he had always been the one worse off when push came to shove and things fell apart. But Jimin wasn’t just a taker. He had offered Yoongi his love in return, refusing to just receive.

Yes, Yoongi thought. This was perfect .

Notes:

Twitter: @daeguspeaches