[podfic] Returned Present
That incestuous Folgers Christmas commercial re-written as a post-The Force Awakens Luke-Leia reunion.
This is my first podfic, and I have no idea what I'm doing!
Once upon a time, there was a podficcer called reena_jenkins who made fanfic seem like the coolest thing ever. She made it seem so great that a girl who was blatantly unsuited for podficcing decided that she wanted to try her hand at it too.
I speak too fast, not clearly enough, I'm infamously bad at reading aloud, and I have no proper recording equipment. I am a terrible candidate for podficcer. But I wanted to do this anyways, and I knew the idea wouldn't leave me alone until I did it. So here we are. I tried my damndest to slow down and speak clearly, though I fear that my "slow and clear" isn't that slow and clear compared to other people. I recorded it on the tiny mic bead on my cheap Skullcandy earbuds, and then edited it using both Ocenaudio and Audacity, even though at first I was convinced Audacity was trying to kill me. And then I ran it through Auphonic because Auralphonic said to.
I used my own fic, because I have permission, I know what the inflection and tones are supposed to be, and—most importantly—I don't have to worry about accidentally destroying someone else's beautiful work in my clueless newbie ignorance.
Please give me feedback. I desperately need it. Here are my main questions, in order of importance:
- Do I have any podficcing potential whatsoever? Or do I need to stop now, before I embarrass myself more and inflict more pain on the poor people who were kind enough to listen to it? Am I just ill-suited to podficcing? If that's the case, just tell me. Please. It's not too mean—I need to know.
- I highly suspect there are certain filters I should've applied to this, but which I don't know about. Do you know which filters would've helped this podfic?
- If you didn't say I should just stop podficcing now for question number one, then my next biggest question is this: What kind of fic is my voice suited for? Some of my favorite podfics are ones where the reader's voice and the tone and style of the fic really work together. For example, Reena Jenkins as her sassy little inflections really goes really well with the fun, playful Finn/Poe/Rey fics. (For example: putting on the ritz.) Erica Schall's voice is darkly hypnotic, and perfect for Reylo fics. (For example: A Crueler Kindness.) What kind of thing would my voice be suited for?
- Is there anything about what I'm doing now that actually works?
- What elements specifically do I need to do better?