Actions

Work Header

Regrets™: Yagi Toshinori Rendition

Summary:

Toshinori meant to catch the villain, not be caught by his Quirk.
He guessed this was his life now. At least he had feet.

Notes:

aaa, this chapter is getting some really necessary stuff out of the way i think, hence why its... timeline wise very short? But afaic, most of it is vital :v

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Toshinori regretted many things in his life. That came with being reckless and an idiot, not that he would ever be the one to call himself that. But he’d never regretted his decisions so much in life as those that led up to him shivering in a storm drain with fucking paws.

He sneezed, sending his ears flopping all over his face. Goddamnit . None of this would have happened if he had just listened to Taishiro and waited for backup, but no , he had stretch his time limit even more, catch the criminal before he could run off for months again, be the Number One .

Sometimes he regretted that too, being the Symbol that needed to do everything. It lead to situations like this.

Well, at least I’m not a chair like that poor sidekick , he thought morbidly as he extended a paw. Something small and furry, he knew that, but he couldn’t see enough of himself to tell if that meant dog or cat or tiny bear . He sighed and got to his feet as best as he could, glancing out from the pipe. It was downpouring, the sky upending the whole bucket from the heavens, and the drain was going to start filling quick if he didn’t find somewhere else to hide.

Stumbling out, he made his way along the ditch as best as he could. He didn’t know the area well, residential and packed with houses and apartments, but he knew that if he got somewhere, to a landmark maybe, he would be able to reorient himself and hurry back to one of the offices.

He tripped over his feet and went sprawling. This was going to be a while. Toshinori sneezed again, shivering, and froze at the sound of something scuffling, a cut-off noise. His head shot up, glancing in the direction of the noise, and he locked eyes with a middle schooler, clutching at an umbrella and ogling at him.

“What the hell,” The kid whispered, eyes bulging. Toshinori shifted, wincing. So, not something you would normally see in a neighborhood. That ruled out cat and dog, then…? He huffed, turning away from the teen to continue his ordeal .

He screamed a little when hands came around his middle, hefting him up and shifting him into a cradle hold. Toshinori blinked up at the teen, who was muttering to himself as he peered down at him. One of the hands shifted, going to his damaged side, and Toshinori shied away, a growl rising in his throat. The hand stopped, teen frowning down at him.

He nodded, seemingly deciding on something, hands moving, one arm coming up under Toshinori’s stomach while the other hefted the umbrella back up. Toshinori blinked when they began to move again.

No, no, he would rather not- no thank you, please let- The teen ignored his squirming completely, tromping off to wherever the hell with Toshinori in tow. He squealed, the noise high-pitched and tiny , but the boy only shifted him closer to his chest, mumbling something about how it would be alright, he wasn’t going to hurt him, he promised, and that was nice , but he wanted to find his coworkers not cater to the whims of some teenager.

He froze when a claw accidentally scratched the boy, drawing a grunt. The teen didn’t react to it, continued walking, but Toshinori wilted. He didn’t want to hurt him. But he was held too tight to escape safely.

Sighing, Toshinori let himself go limp, resigned to seeing where the boy took him.

They kept moving, the rain downpouring around their umbrella. Eyeing some of the puddles, he was reluctantly grateful the boy had found him- he would have had pneumonia by the time he got to an office, if he had travelled on foot in this weather. Soon, they reached an apartment complex, heading up the stairs in a bumpy ride. The teen unlocked the first door they came across, stepping in with a shiver.

Inside was drastically warmer than the stormy streets and Toshinori sneezed again, nose twitching as the damp became abruptly noticeable again. The boy made a soothing noise as he gently set him down on a kitchen table, before he hurried off deeper into the apartment. Toshinori took the chance to glance around.

That was… a lot of hero merchandise, wow. He squinted at the wall by the television. Was that… were those all pictures of him? Well, no, he could see a few of Osamu and the Pussycats in the mix, and even a Recovery Girl to the side, but they were predominately him. He waddled to the edge of the table, trying to catch sight of the rest of the apartment. Dear lord, one of the doors had a name plaque with his bangs on it.

He leaned back and resolutely didn’t think about it.

The boy came rushing back into the kitchen, towels and laptop in his arms. He set the device aside and took one of the towels, surveying Toshinori carefully. They stared at each other before he carefully reached out, patting Toshinori’s flank with it. When he didn’t react with more than a huff, the boy gained some confidence, rubbing his fur down gently.

“Don’t know why you were out there…” He muttered, careful of the scarring on Toshi’s side. “One of the neighbours? But we would have noticed them having such a big pet… Don’t think any of them would be this irresponsible, either...”

The words faded to background noise as the teen kept drying him off, towel gentle against his fur. Toshinori blinked heavily, trying to keep his eyes open, but it was hard, with the activity of the day and stress of his transformation weighing on him. He slipped into a light doze as the towel was swapped for a hand, running down his back.


“Izuku, I’m- aa AAA-”

“Mom, it’s fine, I swear, it’s just a rabbit-” Toshinori whined, eyes squinting open. Who the hell was yelling at this hour? Who was Izuku?

He glanced up. Oh. Right. Accidentally abducted by a well-meaning kid. Well , he amended, by Izuku , apparently . He glanced over to where the first voice had come and saw a plump woman with bulging eyes, clutching at a suitcase like she was ready to hurl it. Izuku was still rambling at top speeds, and his- mother? Sister? Was slowly calming, glancing between the two as she set down her case.

She reached out hesitantly, hand hovering in Toshinori’s face. He stared at it dubiously, glancing up at her. Was he… supposed to sniff it? He pat it with a paw instead, since there was no way in hell he was going to do that. She took it as a go ahead to lightly pat his head. “What was he doing in the storm drain, of all places?”

“I don’t know- there was no collar or anything, and I don’t know how to find a chip, so if he escaped from his home or was just dropped in transit, I can’t say.” Izuku ran a hand down his back, and Toshinori squirmed, uncomfortable with all the touching. The two backed off quickly, the woman frowning at him. Her eyes drifted downwards, and he knew she was looking at his scar, snarled as it was. I wish I had a damn shirt.

“That scar… Do you think he was mistreated?” A slight movement, Izuku sighing.

“I don’t know. But.. I couldn’t just leave him there, you know?” They sat quietly for a moment, staring at him, before the woman sighed, cupping her cheek.

“Well, why don’t we take him to the vet in the morning? We can figure out what to do from there.”

Mmmrrr . More time wasted. Lovely.


Wait. He was a fucking rabbit?


The veterinarian took one look at him and declared that whoever had been taking care of him deserved to be arrested for animal neglect. Toshinori was, justifiably , insulted. He managed perfectly fine , excuse you, and he was doing better than a lot of people missing a third of the bodily essentials.

They took an x-ray, after examining his scar and failing to figure out just why it was there. The veterinarian had to leave the room for a moment when the results came in. Izuku and his mother peered at the void that was Toshinori’s chest nowadays.

“...He’s not going back to whoever had him.”

“No.”

Toshinori groaned and hid his face in an ear.


Toshinori wobbled, hopped forward slightly. Inko and Izuku paused from where they were sorting through their mound of purchases from the day, watching.

“...Is he supposed to be. Struggling, like that?”

“It might have something to do with the scars. Maybe he was… altered, in some way or another that didn’t appear on the x-rays.” No, I’m just getting used to my feet being half the size of my damn body . He hopped forward again, more force behind the push. Slammed into the couch.

Toshinori decided sitting on the floor was good enough for him, right now. Izuku gave him a strawberry in consolation.


Izuku was a middle school student, something he had forgotten at some point between being manhandled by an angry veterinarian and learning he was stuck eating hay . So when the boy went off to school the next day, he was mildly surprised, then relieved, since this meant he could escape without anyone catching him.

He managed to get the front door half-unlocked before Inko appeared out of nowhere, fussing and hauling him away from the door.

“Himawari-chan, no! You need to stay inside and rest!”

What.

She dropped him on the couch, running a hand over his flank soothingly. He stared blankly at the television as she switched it on, letting the news play while she typed.

Himawari-chan?


So. That was a thing they had settled on, apparently. He was Sunflower for the foreseeable future.

It’s better than being a chair, he reminded himself.


Toshinori stared at the doggy bed, looked up at Izuku. The boy nodded encouragingly at him. “Go on, it’s yours.”

He hesitantly hopped in. It was soft, just big enough for him to curl up in. He pawed at the lining, feeling an odd urge come over him. Leaning over slowly, he rubbed his chin against the edge, snuffling. Izuku beamed. Toshinori felt weird.

That night, he ignored the bed and went out to the couch, curling up on a cushion and spending half the night staring at the wall.


He tried the kitchen window, pawing at the latch until Inko came in and set him back on the floor.

He tried the bathroom window. Izuku found him when the shampoo clattered into the tub.

Front door, twice; once he’s foiled by someone coming home, while the other, he accidentally knocked a frame off the end table and scared the two half to death.

Once, desperate and about to go insane, he tried Inko’s bedroom window, until he looked down and saw the sheer drop. That time, he didn’t need one of the Midoriyas to stop him.

The second time he tries to stumble out while someone’s walking in, Izuku took him and locked him in the bathroom for ten minutes, before hauling him back out and sticking him in a box high enough he couldn’t see out of it. Izuku frowned down at him sternly, waving a marker in one hand.

“This is where you’re going every time after you try to escape; you’re here for your own good.”

Toshinori stared at the brown of the box for a long while, trying to process the fact that he, a grown-ass man of forty-seven, had just been put in time out.

He stopped trying to escape.

Chapter Text

Toshinori carefully, carefully, moved the pencil, trying to apply enough pressure to get it to make a dark enough on the paper, but he also had to hurry, because Izuku would be out of the shower soon-

The pencil snapped in his mouth. He dropped the pieces and stared at them in betrayal. He had only finished the character for Ore.

“Himawari, what are you doing on my desk!?” Izuku hurried over from the doorway and hefted him up, setting him on the bed. When he saw the remains of the pencil, he frowned at Toshinori. “Did you need to chew on something? You didn’t need to break my pencil, I would have gotten you your toys.”

Toshinori hated the toys. Toshinori hated many things nowadays.


Toshinori was put back in the box when he kept trying and failing to write. There were three snapped pencils and a pen to his name, and Izuku hid his writing supplies while Toshinori sulked.

When he was lifted out fifteen minutes later, he saw that Izuku had written SHAME CRATE on the side with marker.

He stopped trying to use the pencils.


There was. A lot. Of All Might merch in Izuku’s room. Like, a lot. Otaku a lot.

He never looked up when he went in and resolutely ignored the face on the rug, too.


He caught sight of himself in the mirror, finally, when Inko herded him into her room once to make sure he didn’t escape while she changed. He studiously ignored her image in the mirror but peered at himself, unnerved.

Were. Were rabbits supposed to get that big? Could they, naturally?

Well, at least some things stayed the same , he thought, squinting at the black and blue that was his eyes. His coat was also the same colour as his hair normally was, and his ears eerily resembled his bangs, if less unkempt.

“Admiring yourself in the mirror, Himawari-chan? Are you a handsome bunny?” Inko teased, running a hand over his back. He shivered and moved away, making her sigh and mutter something under her breath about abusers. He wished they would stop going on about that. He had been perfectly fine. A little skinny, and the blood was bad, but he wasn’t a headstone, so he was doing pretty good , if you asked him.

Inko hummed, and he glanced up at her. She was looking at something on her phone with a small frown. When she noticed Toshinori watching, she smiled down at him, and nudged him towards the door. “Why don’t we go eat, ne?”

He groaned internally. Fucking hay.

The hay wasn’t bad, if he was honest, not really. It was dry and bland and he hated it on principle, but it was filling, and the Midoriyas made sure he never ran out, despite seemingly never having more than one bag of the stuff. He had refused to touch it the first few days until Izuku worriedly mentioned going to the vet again, at which point he begrudgingly ate it, if only to ease their stress.

But it was still hay, so eating it made him feel like cattle instead of a man, and had him annoyed every mealtime. It was like a constant reminder that he was stuck like this for the foreseeable future, unless the villain could reverse the effect.

Shit, now he made himself depressed again. He sighed and went back to eating, listening to the news play a report on the rash of disappearances in the area.


Clutching his side no one there as he went through back alleys to avoid frightening anyone but the alleys never ended and his side kept bleeding and bleeding, his heart killing him as it tried to beat, no no no-

Toshinori startled awake, breathing heavily. There was a hand running along his side gently, and a soft voice murmuring above him, and he focused on them as his heartbeat calmed from its racing. The room around him was dark and musty, smelling more of books and detergent than his usual blood and dust and he was confused, for a moment, until the memories came rushing back, and the hand against his flank became recognisable.

“Better?” Izuku murmured as he slowly sat up. The teen was kneeling in front of him, sleepy-eyed. He must have woken him up, Toshinori guiltily realised. He settled back into the bed again, nudging the boy’s hand away so it was clear he was fine, but Izuku didn’t leave, watching him with an unhappy expression.

“I wish we knew who did this to you. Whoever could hurt an animal like this doesn’t deserve to be walking away from it.” More guilt. These two would continue thinking he was mistreated and feeling upset, since he couldn't tell them the truth. He sighed soundlessly, nudging Izuku’s hand with his head. That finally garnered a smile, Izuku petting one ear. “You gonna be okay, little guy?”

He nodded against the hand, and Izuku huffed, finally standing. He climbed into bed slowly, turning to face Toshinori. He smiled sleepily, closing his eyes as Toshinori watched.

“Night, Himawari.”


Toshinori quickly understood why the hero merch was all over the house, instead of focused in Izuku’s room.

They were both completely enthralled with the business.

“Oh, there’s more property damage- they would lose a suit, using that move, no way to say it was accidental.”

“Their Quirk would be more suited to Rescue, why are they working Apprehension?”

“And there, child endangerment, I know if I was that boy’s mother I would be beating them upside the head for not putting him down somewhere safe immediately.”

“Too much force in the swing, and he telegraphed his moves-”

Toshinori sat between the ruthless lawyer and quick analyst and listened wide-eyed as they picked apart the battle happening on screen ruthlessly. Well. At least they weren’t simply reckless fans?


Izuku never brought anyone home, never mentioned friends, never talked about anything, really, outside heroes and home. Inko wasn’t much better, never mentioning a husband or wife or family outside the apartment, any coworkers she may consider friends. Toshinori watched them and wondered just what was wrong, the thought niggling in the back of his mind.


Izuku came home one day with a soggy bag and closed-off expression, heading to his room quietly. Toshinori watched him put his things away before sitting on the bed, quietly putting his head in his hands. It wasn’t long before the sobs started up, wracking his frame.

???

Toshinori shuffled forward, stretching up to put his paws on the boy’s knees. His uniform was splattered with something foul-smelling now that he paid attention, but it was dry and dark enough that it blended in with the material. He ignored it. Finding out what was wrong was more important.

Izuku glanced at him, wiping at his face with his sleeve. He rubbed a hand between his ears, smiling wobbly.

“I can’t seem to stop screwing up, Himawari. Maybe I should just listen to Kacchan and hope for the best.” Kacchan? He nudged the boy, trying to keep his attention, but there was a bang, and the sound of rushing footsteps.

“Izuku!? Izuku, sweetie, are you home!?”

“In my room, mom,” He called. He reached down and pulled Toshinori into his lap, letting him sprawl as Inko burst in, panicked and tearing up. She rushed forward, patting Izuku down, checking his hands and face.

“Are you alright? I saw the news, and you, and Katsuki-kun, and I-” She cut herself off, hugging Izuku close, “Sweetie, I love you and I’m glad you helped, but don’t do that to me!”

“I’m sorry.” They stayed like that for a few moments before Inko pulled back.

“Did the heroes on-site say anything? I hope they at least thanked you and had you checked over, doing their job for them, the, the useless lugs.”

Izuku shrugged and fiddled with Toshinori’s ear, smoothing down the fur. He allowed it, if only because something was deeply wrong and he wanted the boy settled instead of heaving like before . “Well. they were praising me for stepping in, right up until they found out I was Quirkless. Then they told me I was stupid, and should have stayed back and let him die, basically.”

Toshinori blinked, looking up at the teen while Inko breathed in sharply. He was Quirkless?

“...They were standing there, ready to let him be suffocated to death, and they reprimanded you for stepping in when they wouldn’t?” Izuku shrugged, not looking at her. Toshinori could see tears budding in his eyes again and leaned, tapping his chest with paws. It garnered a watery smile.

“I guess being a hero really is unrealistic, if even professionals are telling me I’m idiotic to try.”

Well…

The heroes at the scene shouldn’t have said such a thing, no. There were better ways to explain the dangers to someone aspiring to be a hero than shooting them down outright and condescending to them. But Toshinori couldn’t say it was smart to go into it Quirkless; even with one, safety wasn’t a guarantee. Just look at him, Number One with a hole in his side and organs gone.

But… there also wasn’t only one circuit. Nothing said Izuku needed to go into Criminal Apprehension when Damage Reduction was perfectly plausible, with his analytical skills. He could easily slide into a career as Osamu had done, providing intel and leading missions.

“Well, they can go to hell.” Both Izuku and Toshinori stared at Inko in shock. The woman had a fierce scowl, hands balled into fists. "They're obviously wrong in the head in the first place, willing to let a child die on their watch. So, so screw them, and screw you not being able to be a hero just because you're Quirkless. Izukkun-"

Inko paused, swallowing, tears rising. "Izuku. I thought it wasn't possible, when we first found out, that you would only hurt yourself trying. But you're so strong, you're so smart , and I', so proud, honey, I don't know why I thought you would ever manage anything less than your dreams."

"Mom..." Toshinori shifted, shuffling off so the teen could get up. "You- you really think so?"

"Yes, Izuku, I do. You wouldn't be flashy, or be able to show off like Katsuki-kun or even A-All Might, but that wouldn't make you any less of a hero, and anyone who says otherwise doesn't know you."

He settled down as the two began to cry again, hugging. Well, this certainly answered some questions he hadn't realised he had, but raised more. What the hell had happened ?


Izuku had gotten involved in a hostage situation , is what happened. Jesus Christ above.


Notebooks began appearing more than usual, alongside books on fighting styles that used weapons, old comics, prank toy catalogues that seemed harmless until you took a look in the notes accompanying them and realised the gag items were being modified to stun, capture, disable.

In addition to them, weights made their home on the floor along with a tracksuit, both used when the teen came home in a carefully outlined routine.

Toshinori greatly approved. He endured Izuku cuddling him as reward for the careful thinking, rubbing his chin against the boy's hand as he pet. Good boy.


“...I think Himawari understands what we’re saying?” Toshinori froze in his chewing as Izuku and Inko turned to peer at him from the dinner table, pausing in their breakfast.

“What makes you think that?”

“He keeps nodding when we ask questions, doesn’t he? And I think I caught him trying to... write hiragana, once…?” He shuffled, glancing away from them. “That too, the reactions.”

“Maybe he just understands tones…?” They kept watching the rabbit. Toshinori shuffled some more and debated whether he should keep eating or do something.

“...Himawari.” Hnmmm nope . “Himawari-chan, can you understand us?” He snuffled into the hay and had some go into his nose. He sneezed and regretted his life choices. Sighing noiselessly, Toshinori looked up at them, nodding his head. Inko blinked, while Izuku looked like he was reevaluating every moment over the past two weeks.

“...Is that why your eyes and coat are different, too? Those aren’t normal for Flemish giants. For any rabbit species, I’m pretty sure.” He shrugged as best he could. He had been just assuming at this point that it was because he was human before. Izuku continued staring, expression becoming more and more upset. “I don’t know how to feel about the fact we’ve been treating you like a normal animal this whole time. That’s like treating me like a baby. How old even are you?”

“Well- before we get ahead of ourselves, maybe we should… talk to someone first, on how to… handle this, you, better?” Inko glanced at him uncertainly at the end.
Izuku hummed, thinking. "There aren't many people involved in animals with Quirks, I don't think. Most tend to be scientists, who. Want to. Experiment."
They both stared at Toshinori. He sighed deeply at the assumption.
"Shit. We can't tell anyone, can we?"
"Language, Izuku. and there is one person, isn't there? weren't you gushing to me about Yuuei a few weeks ago, and how they were involved in court years ago over the current principal?"
Izuku's eyes lit up as Toshinori groaned, hiding his face in his ears. Nedzu.
Fuuuuck.


Charades were very useful, even when they devolved into Toshinori jumping around excitedly at being understood again, to an extent. Izuku watched, amused, while revising the weight distribution on his costume drafts.


Yuuei was slightly terrifying when you were the size of a large cat. Toshinori looked out through the crate Izuku had found, peering at the colossal buildings and crowds of students milling about. It was the end of spring and the school year had just started, freshmen still in awe at the scenery. As they approached the main doors, Toshinori caught sight of a lone figure dressed in black watching them.
...Aizawa? Well. at least they would be in safe hands, at least. Toshinori had heard from Yamada that he had a soft spot for children and animals, as gruff as he appeared.
"Midoriya?" He asked when close enough, peering at them with bloodshot eyes. "Nedzu asked me to guide you so you don't get lost. Keep up."
They walked through the halls, Aizawa easily navigating the twists and turns. It was quiet for a time, before Izuku hesitantly spoke up.
"You're, er, Eraserhead, aren't you?"
"... How did you know?" Izuku shifted the crate in his hands, nervously laughing.
"I, ah, analyse heroes as a hobby. I’ve always liked your work, since you don't rely on a Quirk to fight."
"Hm." They stopped in front of a large door, a single plaque proclaiming it to be the principal's. There was no need for a secretary when the mammal would know who approached from the security cameras.
And so he did this time, calling out a cheery, "Come in!" before either could knock. Aizawa opened the door and nodded at Izuku before turning to leave, job done. Izuku continued in.

Nedzu, when Toshinori peeked his head over the crate’s edge, was seated at his desk, tea already set for two. His expression froze when he saw Toshinori, before sliding into something only those close to him could identify as smug.

Nedzu, you motherfucker, don’t you dare pull anything.

“Midoriya-kun, yes? It’s good to finally meet you!” Izuku shook the paw offered after he set the crate on the desk, ignoring or not noticing Toshinori’s glaring. They took to seats, Nedzu humming as he peered at the other mammal. “So this is Himawari, yes? It’s nice to meet you as well.”

Toshinori made a noise like a dying vacuum, which Nedzu ignored as he extended a paw. Izuku looked at him worriedly. “Yes, we, er- found him about two weeks ago? I explained everything else in the emails…”

“Yes, yes, you did. Hm, going by his colouring alone one can tell he’s at least mutated. And the intelligence you mentioned...” He twitched at the paws that played with his ears, clambering out of the box. No, no, nope, no thank you this is weird. Izuku wheezed when he dropped into his lap, turning to glare at Nedzu. Nedzu smiled cheerily back.

“Well! I would say the best thing is to continue caring for him. Simply remember he is an intelligent being as well, and won’t react as a typical lagomorph would. If you’re uncertain over something, ask him, or work out a method of communication.”

You know it’s me. SAY SOMETHING, YOU FURRY.

“Are you sure? I don’t want to be patronising- he’s already sort of, uh, accepted our apologies, but it’s hard to really get more than the gist of what he means.”

Nedzu waved a paw. “I’m sure you’ll work something out- if anything, non-toxic paint can prove very useful, although you’ll likely need a large space. And, I don’t believe I need to tell you not to spread word of his existence past those you trust…?”

They both gulped, Izuku nodding while Toshinori shuddered. He had read about the investigation the courts had performed into Nedzu’s “guardians” over Izuku’s shoulder, when the teen refreshed his memory on it. It was no wonder the mammal tended to get a bit sadistic when you riled him up, if people thought it was alright to do that to another living creature.

“Well then! I believe you’ll do just fine with Himawari-san then.” Toshinori twitched. Nedzu. Please . “I also wanted to speak to you about your application; I believed you applied for the Hero Department?”

“A-ah, yes, it’s been my dream to be a hero, since I was young.” Nedzu nodded his head, and Toshinori could feel Izuku going tense as a wire, worried, nervous, but really, the boy needn’t be scared. There wasn’t anyone more overjoyed at stirring the pot than Nedzu. As obvious right now.

“Well, I look forward to see your performance! It’s been my belief that a Quirkless hero has been a long time in coming; let’s see if you’re the first to reach that goal, hm?”

Nedzu sent them off not long after that, not so much as mentioning that he was not Himawari, you traitorous asshole ; the only thing he did do was glance at Toshinori, smug expression coming back.

“Make sure to eat and rest, Himawari-san. Some relaxation will do you some good.”

Toshinori ground his teeth and cursed the mouse as the door slipped shut.

Chapter Text

Izuku came home quiet again, and he stared at the boy with narrowed eyes all throughout his exercise routine. He didn’t answer when he waved a paw, only shaking his head, and Toshinori huffed. That wasn’t going to do at all.

When the boy finally sat down, he scrambled up, sitting in his lap and headbutting his chest. Izuku squeaked in surprise, wrapping his arms around him as Toshi glared up at him.

“I- Himawari-” He headbutt the boy again. “Alright, alright, I’ll tell you. Some of my classmates were just… getting personal, again. I know not to listen to them, but hearing it is still…” He trailed off, grimacing. Toshinori sighed. The cruelty of children never ceased to amaze him. He nudged the boy, pushing his head underneath one of his hands and garnering a chuckle.

Enduring some petting was worth it if it cheered Izuku some.


“Mou, do you think something happened to him…?” Toshinori glanced up from where he was fiddling with a pencil, attempting to hold it without breaking the damn thing. The Midoriyas were watching the television, where a reporter was talking with a splash background. He blinked at the image of himself in his hero form and sat up, listening.

“...Where the number one hero has gone, but many are speculating it has something to do with the recent rash of disappearances and his battle with an unnamed villain a few weeks ago. All the public can do is hope…” Ah. Someone had caught on, then. That was. Hmmmrgugh, he didn’t even want to know how much crime would jump, now.

“Maybe he’s just lying low? He did that a few years ago, didn’t he?”

“Yes, but… Back then, they had at least caught the villain…”

Toshinori shuffled to Izuku’s room, curling up in his bed. He didn’t want to hear the rest.


Toshinori stared at the fridge, debating the merits of trying to open it and get to the fruit inside. The rare piece of melon or strawberry wasn’t enough to curb his desire for something that didn’t taste like grass, and no one was home today to watch him utterly fail for an hour if he couldn’t get it open.

He was snuffling around the seal when he heard something at the door, like someone was fiddling with the lock. He shot straight up, staring down the hall. Inko and Izuku weren’t supposed to be back for hours. The noise continued, knob turning, and he braced himself, ready to do- something- when the trespasser came in.

The door finally popped open, and he could hear humming, something sliding through the opening. He blinked at the large suitcase that slid down the hall. Another joined it, before the intruder finally stepped in. They blinked at him standing tense in the hallway. Casually raised a hand in greeting.

“Hi, I live here, don’t worry, please don’t bite me or anything. Kick? How do rabbits attack?” Toshinori blinked. “My name’s Hisashi. I’m Inko’s husband. Izuku’s dad. Take you pick.”

Oh. He sat back on his haunches, staring at the man less warily. He had Izuku’s curls and freckles- or rather, Izuku had his- and the same short build, looking like he barely topped 155 centimetres. His salt and pepper hair and orange eyes set him apart from the other Midoriyas though, which, he. Supposed was good, since having the same colouring implied some unsavoury things.

Hisashi toed his luggage to the side of the hallway before crouching down to Toshinori’s level, peering at him. “You know, they told me you had a Quirk? Or what counts as a Quirk for an animal. Going by your colouring, I guess you do to some extent. But the intelligence- are you as smart as a human? Can you read, write? You obviously can’t talk, not like that one fellow, but-”

Toshinori put up a paw, stopping the man’s rant. Dear god, there was where Izuku got that from, then. He reached out, tugging the man’s sleeve with his teeth lightly before hopping back into the living room. Luck of luck, Izuku had left his laptop out, and he sat by it, waiting patiently for Hisashi to come over. The man did, confusedly trotting over until he saw what Toshinori was waiting by and brightened.

“Oh! Good idea! So you do , then, here, let me.” He flipped open the laptop, opening up a simple writing program. Toshinori stared at it for a moment, slightly stunned at how close he was after weeks of frustration, before slowly reaching out and pressing a key.

He pressed two at once. Goddamnit.

Hisashi didn’t speak as he painstakingly typed and untyped characters, only humming and watching with eyebrows that rose higher and higher at what was written.

I’m human, a villain turned me into a rabbit using his Quirk.

Hisashi peered at him again. “You sure about that? What’s your name, then, if you’re really human?” Toshinori hesitated, because that uh, that was a loaded question that could go either way. But. He doubted Inko would marry a man who would be amoral enough to sell out someone vulnerable.

He switched to the English keyboard, typed out carefully All Might .

Hisashi laughed when he read it, grinning, before he glanced at Toshinori and it slowly died out. He stared blankly.

“You’re serious.” Yes, you goddamned acorn. Toshinori huffed, nodding. “You can’t be serious. I can see the colouring, maybe, but All Might is-” Hisashi cut himself off, eyes boggling. “All Might is missing for the sixth week in a row. And they’ve had you six weeks ohhhh my god?”

Hisashi staggered, plopping on the couch. He stared at Toshinori, eyes drifting all over. “...You. Can you prove it?”

...Could he? He. Hadn’t tried calling on One for All, this whole time, worried about what may happen in this form, but… Well, risks made breakthroughs. Breathing in, he flared One for All, twitching at the billow of steam that followed. When it cleared, Hisashi was still staring, mouth open, and his line of sight was at least five centimetres higher than before. He glanced down at a paw and blinked at the sharpened claws there.

“Holy shit. O-kay. That is, that is definitely a thing.” Hisashi ran a hand over his face, giggling hysterically. “Ohhh my god. Well, at least some things make sense now, I guess? At least we probably aren’t killing you, then.”

Toshinori baulked, letting go of One for All. He bapped at Hisashi’s knee vigorously, demanding answers, and the man snorted, twitching away.

“You’re pretty weird even for a hyper-intelligent rabbit, you realise that, right? For one, you should actually be dead at this point, thanks to missing half your respiratory system and your stomach. Rabbits aren’t like humans where they can work around that.” Toshinori flinched at the reminder. Right, that. “There’s also the fact rabbits get a lot of their nutrition from their own feces. You ignoring yours, much less using the toilet , is pretty weird.”

Toshinori stared. He- really? That- Ew , no, nope. Hisashi laughed at his expression, nodding.

“Yeah, so, I was a bit worried when Inko told me a little about you. Guess that’s something to look into, until you go back to normal.” Hisashi squinted, frowning. “ Can you go back to normal? Is this permanent? Because I think there’s going to be some house discussions, then.”

Wasn’t that the question of the season, right there.


Hisashi was highly agreeable to contacting Naomasa, humming as he waited for the line to connect.

“Ah, hello! This is Tsukauchi Naomasa-san, correct?” He smiled cheerily, double-checking the name Toshinori had painstakingly typed out. “I have information regarding Yagi Toshinori’s disappearance, and-”

There was the sound of fast-paced talking on the other end, aggressive and panicked, and Toshinori winced. It might not have been the wisest choice to use his civilian name, but it ensured Naomasa knew it wasn’t a prank call. Hisashi only leaned the phone away from his ear, tapping his foot until it died down.

“As I was saying, I have information on his disappearance; I just returned home for vacation leave and discovered he was living with my family- we didn’t realise who he was. He directed me to call you since he couldn’t himself, Tsukauchi-san.”

More talking, less panicked this time. Hisashi nodded and typed something on the computer.

“Alright. Alright! Will do, Tsukauchi-san. See you then!” He hung up, looked at Toshinori. “You make friends with terrifying people. He threatened to expose my deepest secrets until my life was a living hell and ruin my credit. Is everyone you know like that?”

Toshinori contemplated. Nedzu, Osamu, Kenichi…

He nodded. Hisashi snorted and shook his head. “Well, we’re meeting him in an hour. So hopefully he won’t threaten to destroy my life again once he sees you.”


Naomasa put his head in his hands and audibly counted to ten when he saw Toshinori’s head peeking out of the crate. Toshinori shuffled around agitated until Hisashi put him on the bench and he clambered out, toppling into the detective’s lap. He held him awkwardly, frowning down at him.

“Why is it always you?” He asked despairingly. “Is it a curse? My punishment for letting you skimp on paperwork?”

Oi, rude. Toshinori headbutted him, and Naomasa sighed and looked at Hisashi, who was watching with a highly amused expression.

“Thank you for taking care of him, Midoriya-san. Knowing him, if he hadn’t been found by your family, he would have attempted to continue working, even in this state.” He squinted down at Toshinori. “Although, to be honest with you, I don’t know what we will do with you now , Toshi. We still haven’t caught the villain who did this.”

...He’d likely be kept with another hero, one who could be trusted with his form. Although, they narrowed it down to… pretty much only those on the Yuuei staff, and Osamu. He wilted at both ideas.

“Well… does he really need to be moved somewhere else?” They both turned to Hisashi, who shrugged, leaning against the bench. He looked out at the park, scratching at his chin. “You know that he’s safe, now, and who to contact if you need to reach him. And it’s not exactly going to hurt him if he stays with us, at least until you find this, hm, vagrant. If anything, going by what my wife’s told me, it’ll only help him. And it’s not like I, or they, would mind.”

Naomasa looked down at Toshinori. “You do need to take a break.”

You’re traitors and dead to me, you and Nedzu both.


“So, we’re telling them you’re human, but I don’t think saying you’re All Might will go over well.”

No shit, Sherlock. Hisashi grinned at his expression, shaking his head.

“You’re a lot more emotive than your hero self, huh, Toshinori-san?” The door rattled, and Hisashi perked up, turning. “Ah, that should be Izukkun. Let me take over, yeah?”


Izuku looked shocked, then alarmed, before bleeding into embarrassed as he looked at Toshinori.

“I- Toshinori-san- I am so sorry, I-” He covered his face, groaning. Hisashi pat his back consolingly and let the teen work through it.

“Y’couldn’t have kno-own, Izukkun, and it wasn’t like he could really tell you before y’stopped him. He took ten minutes just to type out a sentence, for pete’s sake.”

RUDE . He bapped Hisashi, but the man ignored it and pat his head.

“So long as you treat him like a person, you’re fine. Now, do you want to explain why you involved yourself in a hostage situation? And why your mother had to find out through the news?

Izuku’s expression took on a distinctly dismayed cast.


Inko reacted much the same way as Izuku, once she got over the fact that, worse than just a rabbit, a human had ended up as bad as he was, and willingly. That was something she liked to focus on.

He groaned into his hay as she berated him yet again for seemingly letting himself get that thin, because there was no other explanation, honestly Toshinori-san, unless you were locked up for three months, just how did you get that skinny? Make sure you finish that-

Hisashi laughed at him. Asshole.


Hisashi was also, apparently, from the hurried introduction the man finally gave him, an inventor that specialized in producing materials and products for difficult Quirks.

So. A lawyer, a scientist, and an aspiring hero. Certainly more lofty than his family had been; his mother and father had been a nurse and kindergarten teacher, respectively. Watching them interact, he supposed it worked out just as his own family had for him; the three were easily carrying on a conversation he could barely follow, weaving from politics to costume design easily.

So slightly bizarre, but heartwarming nonetheless.


A smug face, hand burying into his side-

Toshinori jolted awake, shivering. The apartment was quiet, still in the late hours of the night, and he sat up with a sigh in the dark. Another nightmare. It was as if his mind was shoving on them all at once, no that he was finally recuperating. Shuffling, he hopped out of the bed, carefully navigating the floor. Izuku had recently taken to emptying his bag out each night, thanks to a hidden “prank” that had ruined one of his notebooks with ink.

Fucking teenagers. And here I am, thinking of teaching at least a hundred.

He nosed the door open, slipping through and heading for the living room. The television was mindless enough to occupy him for a few hours. As he hopped, he realised there was a faint glow coming from the kitchen and peered in.

Hisashi stared at him, spoon in his mouth with a tub of ice cream cradled in his arms. The laptop in front of him cast him in blue light.

Toshinori stared at him.

“Don’t judge me, okay. This is my thinking food.”

Toshinori stared harder.

“Look, shut up.” Hisashi frowned, staring at his spoon before waving it slightly, glancing at the hero. “...Want some?” Toshinori gave him an unimpressed look, pointedly looking down before lifting his front leg to show off the scar. Even if he had been human, he wouldn’t be able to eat something that sugary. Hisashi gained a thoughtful expression, typing something on the laptop.

“So I guess sugar isn’t good without a stomach. But... what about something else? You’re obviously not a baseline rabbit, since you you’ve been surviving only on hay and other plants so far. Have you tried to eat anything else, to see if you still can?”

Toshinori sat back. He… honestly hadn’t considered that. By about the second week, he had resigned himself to eating the fine cuisine that was Fucking Hay and the occasional piece of fruit or veggies. Even knowing he wasn’t normal, it hadn’t crossed his mind.

He hurried forward, resisting the urge to hop in place. Hisashi smiled down at him before peering around the kitchen, humming.

“Hm… Taking in your normal restrictions, and what a baseline rabbit can digest, why don’t we try rice? It’s not outright poisonous, so at most you should be a little sick. We can do a small amount, as a test.”

It was quiet as he filled the cooker with a small amount, enough to fill one of the more petite bowls. He let it cool before setting it on the floor, letting Toshinori have at it.

Oh, sweet lord, I never knew how good rice could taste. He scarfed it down in record time, sitting back when the bowl was finally empty. Hisashi watched him carefully.

“...I have to wonder. How long have you had that injury? It looks old.” He tensed. Hisashi hummed. “Long enough, then. I’m going to guess it was from a villain, considering who you are. Why haven’t you retired?”

Silence. Toshinori couldn’t answer even if he wanted to. Hisashi sighed, leaning back and stretching.

“I suppose I can guess why. Being ‘Number One’ and all, retiring would be an invitation for the underground to sink its claws back into the public.” He frowned at the ceiling. “I hope you know that’s shit, though. You’re a person, not Atlas, you can’t be the only one to hold the peace. You do know that, right?”

Toshinori snuffled in the bowl for any remaining grains, pointedly not looking up. Hisashi sighed again. Stood and walked over, carefully picking him up and ignoring his wriggling.

“You came out here to keep yourself busy, didn’t you? I saw you heading for the couch before you saw me. You can help with my designs instead. This way you won’t be able to brood.”

He sat down, balancing Toshinori in his lap while he pulled his notes back up. He considered getting up, fighting the man, but… He was tired. Too tired to give a shit about keeping a distance. So he settled into the man’s lap and spent the next hour grunting and holding a stilted conversation.

Toshinori didn’t notice when he fell asleep. He woke up to Inko quietly asking Hisashi if he was alright. Hisashi hummed, the vibrations tangible with Toshinori leaning against his chest, and sad it was a work in progress.


Toshinori ended up curled in his bed and regretting agreeing to Hisashi’s plan. Hisashi was given a silent treatment he seemed unfortunately familiar with, while Toshinori was lectured for going along with an idea made at three in the morning.

He mourned the loss of actual, substantial food. So close, yet so far.

“Toshinori-san. Please don’t listen to my father again. There’s a reason mom is the one in charge of the household.”

Toshinori hid his face in the pillow and ignored Izuku nudging him. The teen finally huffed, dragging him away from his hiding place and settling him close.

“You know, I’m beginning to think we shouldn’t bother treating you any differently. You’re probably more reckless than an actual animal. At least they would know not to eat something bad for them.”

He groaned. Another health talk. Izuku, don’t do this to me. You were the only one I could trust.


Izuku put him in the Shame Crate. Izuku apologised profusely as Toshinori stared at him in betrayal.

They hurried somewhere, Izuku setting him down before walking off and fiddling with something. At the sound of running water, Toshinori realised they had moved to… the bathroom? Right? Izuku gently tipped the box, confirming his suspicions. He peered around bemusedly, wondering what the big issue was, and caught sight of himself in the mirror.

Toshinori stopped. Blinked at himself. Leaned in, because, that was-

He was? Pretty sure? That he hadn’t been that, errr. Filled out, last time he looked. He raised one leg, peering at his side where his ribs weren’t visible.

Izuku cleared his throat. Toshinori glanced up at him. The teen held up a bottle of shampoo with a grimace.

“It’s this, or you figure out how to groom yourself. But one needs to happen, because your fur is a disaster.”

There were things his pride allowed for. Tongue baths were not included.

Izuku rambled on about the application process for Yuuei as warm hands carefully rubbed his ears. Toshinori supposed it wasn’t too bad, as long as he wasn’t being completely manhandled.

Chapter 4

Notes:

HOH

Chapter Text

“...Darling?”

“Hmmmm?”

“Who exactly is Toshinori-san?”

“Oh, he’s All Might’s secretary. Got caught up in some trouble a while back and turned into that.”

“...Poor man. I wonder why no one stopped him from letting himself go that far…”

“Well, we can do something now, so it doesn’t matter, hm? Let’s help him heal some and make sure he doesn’t ruin it when he turns back into a human.”

“Snrk. Yes, alright. Love you, Hisashi.”

“Love you too, honey.”


Hisashi was not deterred from experimenting despite his stint of silent treatment.

Toshinori peered at him dubiously as he set a salad on the floor, poking at a grape.

“So, this stuff is all actually safe for you to eat, just in small quantities. So maybe it’ll go better than last time.” Hisashi shrugged, frowning. “I don’t want us to just keep feeding you hay, y’know. Feels kind of degrading.”

Tell me about it .

Well, they wouldn’t know unless they tried. He dug into the salad, relishing the taste of something substantial on his tongue. Hisashi left him to it and instead wandered through the house, cleaning. When he came back, the bowl was empty, and Toshinori was sitting contentedly next to it, rubbing his face against a paw.

“Good?”

He nodded vigorously. Hisashi grinned and picked him up, carefully sitting on the couch with him. Toshinori would have to complain later, when he wasn’t too full to care. For now, he let the man pull up comics on the laptop and read leaned against him until he fell asleep.


He didn’t wake up sick. He didn’t get sick, not for two days.

I CAN EAT REAL FOOD AGAIN OH MY GOD THANK YOU FOOD FOOD FOOD-

Toshinori may go overboard, but he’s excited. Sue him.


Toshinori shivered in his bed, curling tighter into himself. A chill was beginning to seep into the air thanks to the changing seasons, and it was hitting him like a sack of bricks once again. Hopefully he didn’t get pneumonia in this tiny body- that would be hell.

“Toshinori-san…” He glanced up at Izuku, toothbrush jammed into his mouth. The teen was frowning down at him, brow furrowed. “The cold’s hittin’ you, huh…”

He waved a paw, trying to reassure the boy, but it didn’t seem effective, Izuku giving him a doubtful look before tromping back to the bathroom. The next few minutes were spent trying to shrink as much as… rabbit-ly… possible, Toshinori shoving his head under an ear and huffing. He could hear Izuku come back in and get into bed, but he paused when the boy called his name again, peeking out of his ear cave.

Izuku had one corner of his covers lifted, patting the bed next to him. When he saw Toshinori looking, he pat faster, frowning.

“I don’t want you getting too cold in the night, Toshinori-san.” Toshinori huffed, shaking his head. “Toshinori-san. No one’s going to judge you for, what, getting close in the night? If you were going to do something… predatory… you would have done it long before, when we didn’t know you were human. Please? I just want to make sure you don’t get sick. And human contact can only do you some good.”

Fuck it.

He groaned, hopping out of his bed and across the floor. Izuku helped him up when he reached the edge of the bed, setting him on a pillow with a smile.

“There. Was that hard?”

He slept through the night in warmth. Toshinori didn’t dream.


The Midoriyas start settling closer if he sits for a while, pressing him against their legs or, in Hisashi’s case, pulling him into his lap and going into a spiel about whatever thing he’s looked up recently. He’d be supremely irritated if it didn’t leave him more settled than he’d been in a long while. Maybe Izuku’s argument had some merit.


Inexplicably, Hisashi plays twenty questions with him to “learn a bit more about their guest”, which leads to. This.

Toshinori stared bemusedly at the candle somehow set into a banana, glancing between it and Hisashi. The man had a party hat he’d pulled out of nowhere on and had tried to put one on Toshinori earlier. He’d pulled it off his head and bitten through the cardboard, leaving it in a sad pile on the floor.

Inko was giggling at the table, trying valiantly to ignore her husband, while Izuku was off jogging. He was glad for that, otherwise the boy might have tried to add onto the “celebration”.

“You didn’t get to celebrate your birthday, so obviously we have to do something now,” Hisashi said, like that somehow meant desecrating a banana. Toshinori sneezed and blew out the candle. Hisashi looked inordinately pleased as he finally cut the damn thing up, putting it back on the floor when it was divided into smaller pieces.


Eating the whole thing all at once may have been a mistake.

Inko and Hisashi watched Toshinori bounce around the apartment like a mop on crack, bumping into the furniture and squeaking delightedly whenever he rebounded off anything.

“Should we. Should we do something?”

“Let it run its course?” The door opened, and Izuku stepped in just to have Toshinori slam into his legs, slipping between them to run circles around the teen.

“Uh.” He glanced at his parents. Hisashi shrugged, while Inko put her head in her hands.


Toshinori didn’t calm down by the time dinner rolled around. The man-turned-rabbit had taken to dancing around the table as they ate, rubbing against their legs when he came close. When Izuku switched on an old All Might movie, wanting to relax after the day’s stresses, he nearly had a goddamn heart attack when, at the climax of All Might showing up and yelling out, “Do not fear!”, Toshinori somehow got on top of the couch and screeched , steam billowing out for a split second before he fell over.

Hisashi was having a fit at the dinner table. Inko asked if he was alright and he had to wave her off because dear gods, they’d never know .


Inko was the only time up by the time he finally slowed down, and the woman gently nudged him to Izuku’s room so he didn’t fall asleep in the middle of the floor. It was a near thing, he was so tired, but he managed it anyways, stumbling this way and that until he finally came across something that was thick enough to be the blanket. He crawled underneath, curling up and putting his face under one ear, sighing softly.

In the morning, he heard Izuku shriek, and the sound of him rushing around his room, mumbling about being late, and dismissed it as nothing to worry about, falling back into a doze after being jostled around. He assumed the boy accidentally knocked him while getting ready, panicked as he was. There was half an hour or so, a lull, before the sound of voices brought him back to some semblance of awareness.

“-fucking bother, Deku. Did that villain from March not knock it into your head that it’s pointless? You’ll just be some Quirkless waste of space, getting in people’s way-”

HOH?

He shoved his head out of the bag, steam billowing and eyes glowing as he screeched at whatever asshole that was saying that to Izuku, fuckers-

The group of students screamed and stumbled away before sprinting off. Toshinori blinked. What. Glanced up, at a bug-eyed Izuku in… Uniform. He glanced down.

Oh. He must have climbed into his bag last night instead of the bed.

Well.


“I can’t believe you. You’re not getting that much sugar again for a long while.” Toshinori guiltily rubbed his chin against Izuku’s hand, trying to cheer the boy up. They were on the train back to the house, since Izuku needed his school materials and Toshinori couldn’t exactly hang around the school the whole day. Izuku sighed, looking down at his companion. “...You’ve worked with heroes, right? As- as All Might’s secretary. Do you think they’re right? I know mom and dad believe in me, but…”

Toshinori reached out and nipped his fingers. Hard. Izuku yelped, pulling back before quickly quieting down, shrinking at the glances of other passengers. When he glared back down at the rabbit, Toshinori glared back.

“I don’t know what that means, you know that right?” Toshinori sighed heavily and pat the boy’s pocket until he pulled out his phone. He just barely managed to type out NO , painstakingly using his nails. Then HOME , because they wouldn’t have enough time for him to get across what he wanted to say on the train.

Izuku left him in the apartment after hurriedly grabbing his materials, which was fine by him. It’d give him more time to write. Pulling out the paints was annoying even with Hisashi’s help, and he’d wasted about ten pieces of paper by the time he was done, but he stared at the message with a sense of accomplishment and settled in to wait.

When Izuku walked into the room that afternoon, yelling back at Hisashi for some comment he’d made, he stopped dead in his tracks, staring at the floor.

I’ve worked with Professional Heroes and hopefuls for decades, Izuku-kun, and if there’s anyone more worthy of becoming one than you, I’ve yet to meet them. I’m certain you’ll be a great hero, so long as you stay strong.

Izuku hiccuped. Toshinori perked up, alarmed, before the boy scooped him up and squeezed him to his chest. There were mumbled thank you’s in his ears, and shaky hands running through his fur.

Oh.
He headbutted a cheek and snuggled close. They’d be alright.


“Oh, Toshinori-kun, you shouldn’t stay out here, it’s getting cold at night now.” Toshinori whined, burrowing further into the couch cushion. Inko sighed, smiling. He had been doing this more and more often in the evenings, falling asleep curled up next to one of them or stretching out along the furniture. They hadn’t said anything, glad to see him finally unwind.

She carefully picked him up, letting his paws dangle as she walked to the bedroom. “Oh, you’re getting pretty heavy. I guess we don’t need to worry about you being underweight anymore, hm?” Toshinori didn’t respond, still snoozing away.

Hisashi glanced up and blinked when he saw her in the doorway with him, then shook his head with a snort. “Didn’t want to move?”

“Nope. And I didn’t want to wake up Izuku. You don’t mind, do you?” Hisashi waved her off.

“Better than letting him sit out there alone, hm? It’ll be like when we had to pack into one bed with Masaru and Mitsuki for that trip.”

She set Toshinori in the middle, watching him tip over onto his side and onto Hisashi. Hisashi ran a hand down his flank, careful of the scar etched into his side.

They slept like the dead, and when Inko shook the two men awake the next day, Toshinori only hid in the closet for five minutes, max.


Toshinori stared at himself in the mirror.

Blue-and-white eyes stared back.

He shifted, turning around in a circle while keeping his eyes glued to the reflection.

Holy shit.

He was as plump as a loaf of bread.

Hwwwh-at the fuck.


Inko giggled at him, after he commandeered the laptop and typed out his panicked ramblings. “W-well, I wouldn’t quite say that’s a bad thing, Toshinori-kun? Certainly better than before.”

I haven’t been heavier than “underweight” in half a decade. She sobered at that, pursing her lips at the screen.

“Well, then I would say this is even better. You’re going to be healthier than you have been in a long time when you go back to normal, and that’s something to be happy for. I know we’re happy over it.” Inko glanced down at him, smiling brightly. “I’m glad you’re getting better, Toshinori-kun.”

He sat on that for a long while, after she went to work. He wondered what the others would say, seeing him.


Izuku takes his encouragement as incentive to do more in-depth research. Toshinori would normally be completely alright with this, except apparently research also means advice, which means contacting heroes that don’t use flashy Quirks, which means he hops into the boy’s room one evening, hearing voices, and catches sight of Osamu, on-screen and in real time hhhhhhH OOOOOLY SHI-IT NO-

Hisashi captured him before he could escape to the linen closet, staring at him with an unimpressed expression. Hisashi could suck a dick.

“You realise running away from people who know you is completely unhealthy, right? Did he try to get you to look after yourself?” He set Toshinori down on his counter, frowning as he grabbed his toothbrush. “Does someone caring about you just send you flying? Is the only reason you haven’t run from us the fact you’d be worse off?”

Toshinori flinched. Playing like a reel in his mind, the memories of Osamu saying he couldn’t do it anymore, not if he kept speeding towards his death willingly, leaving, forming his own office . Ignoring calls from Kenichi and Chiyo, leaving the old class chat. Pretending nothing was wrong when, of all people to approach him, Todoroki asked him what the hell had happened, for him to distance himself from the others.

A hand touched his face, tilting it up. Hisashi was still frowning, but it was softened, less harsh. “I hope you know we aren’t going to let you do that, anymore. Even if, when you turn back to normal, we’re going to make sure you don’t slide back to where you were. We care about you, alarming as that may seem.”

He knew that. It scared him. The only people he became close to were the ones he ended up hurting.


(Nighteye caught sight of a huge rabbit hopping into Midoriya-kun’s room for a split second, blond with glowing blue eyes, and his heart stopped, stunned, before it looked up, caught sight of something that spooked it, and bounded out of the room. Midoriya-kun was bewildered but didn’t have an answer when he asked, saying that “he” was strange like that, sometimes.

They’re five months into Toshinori’s disappearance. He doesn’t want to get his hopes up just thanks to some strange animal.)


Aren’t you on vacation? When do you go back? Hisashi blinked at the screen.

“Hmm? Oh, my vacation ended about a month ago. I’ve just been working from home, since it’s so hectic right now. They only really need me to check over prototypes- I’m there mostly for the materials and supplies, to be honest with you.” Hisashi shrugged, “But, being here is pretty damn good, so the tradeoff is perfectly fine with me. I can always just rent out a studio if I’m really itching to experiment.”

Toshinori considered that. You’re staying because you don’t trust Izuku or I to be careful, aren’t you.

“Yes. You two give Inko stomach ulcers. It was bad enough when we only had one kid to worry about.”

Rude.


The Yuuei entrance exam was in two months, and Izuku was already panicking. Toshinori couldn’t say he was surprised, with this kid.

“There’s so much that’s banned without a license, but what will I even need in the first place, ugh , maybe focus on firepower and strength? The school tends to favour that in the Hero department-” The mumbling was half an hour in, the gadgets that Hisashi and Izuku had painstakingly made sprawled out across the floor haphazardly. Toshinori carefully stepped over what may or may have not been darts laced with sedative, Hisashi what are you giving this child, hopping up to Izuku’s side. The teen absentmindedly gave him a one-armed hug, brushing through his fur as he picked up this or that doodad.

Toshinori tapped his arm until he was paying attention, then hopped over and grabbed a small mecha figure, one of the only decorations that wasn’t centered around heroes. He dropped it in Izuku’s lap and sat back expectedly.

“...You keep doing this, but I have no idea what you mean.” Izuku picked up the figure, turning it over in his hands. “Should I use robots? Mechanics? Are they going to use robots-?”

Toshinori nodded vigorously. As far as he knew, the exam hadn’t changed in the past decade or so. Izuku paused, staring at him, before his eyes strayed back to the spread.

“Big ones? Or small?” He stood up, stretching his paws above his head. “Big then, okay, I can… I can work with that…”

He lapsed into silence again, eyes sorting through his equipment as he started sorting them into piles. Toshinori watched contentedly, listening to him form a battle plan from scratch.

He didn’t see anything wrong with telling. After all, if the school hadn’t wanted someone to take advantage of alumni knowing, they should have changed the test at some point.


He started absentmindedly chinning someone when they said goodbye, rubbing his face against whatever they offered, cheek, hand, or chest.

No one mentioned it. Inko found it endearing, while Izuku was touched that, if he was reading the signs right, Toshinori cared about them.

Hisashi subtly took photos and sent them to Tsukauchi. Tsukauchi thanked him and asked that he make sure Toshinori didn’t pick up the stranger habits of rabbits, for everyone’s sanity.


“I think I know what I want my hero name to be.” Toshinori lifted his head, looking at Izuku. He was at his desk, a notebook in his lap. The pencil in his hand twirled restlessly. When he looked up, his green eyes were bright. “Mom said I wouldn’t be flashy, without a Quirk. But I think I can still make people see me.”

He flipped the notebook towards Toshinori.

The final design of the costume wasn’t ostentatious, not many flares to be found. Form-fitting pants and top, with gloves covering hands and boots that went to the knee. There was a hood and face mask, and many, many pouches lining the waist and legs, ready to hold any equipment he needed. But the most glaring part, the one that stood out, was the characters for mukosei scrawled down the back, right between the shoulderblades.

Quirkless , proclaiming it to anyone who could see. He glanced up at Izuku, settling a paw over the image. The boy smiled sharply, eyes glinting.

“They can’t hold it over me if I wear it with pride. Deku, the Quirkless Hero has a nice ring to it anyways, doesn’t it?”

Toshinori chortled. This damn kid. He held up a paw, and wiggled in amusement when Izuku lightly tapped it with his palm. Hell yeah.


Toshinori jumped around Izuku’s feet, squeaking excitedly as the teen packed his bag. He smiled down at the man wobbly, reaching down to run a hand over his back. Hisashi and Inko were waiting out in the living room, Inko a jittery mess while Hisashi had a grin pasted on his face.

“You’ve got this.” Izuku nodded shakily, smiling.

“I’ve got this. I-I can do it.” Toshinori headbutt him, standing on his hind legs and bapping the boy when he looked. Izuku snickered while the adults rolled their eyes, and he grinned internally as the tension relaxed some.

“Wish me luck, Toshinori. I’m going to show them all.”

With that, Izuku went off, shutting the door quietly as he headed for the train that would take him to Yuuei.

Chapter 5

Summary:

HAHAHAHAH

Chapter Text

Izuku came home late in the afternoon with the most bewildered expression Toshinori had ever seen on his face. Inko jumped up when she heard the door opening, rushing over and checking him over, clucking her tongue at the rips in his tracksuit.

“How did it go? Did you get hurt? Did they use robots like Toshinori-kun said?”

A complicated expression crossed Izuku’s face. “It was… What’s the line between someone being nice and someone flirting?”

“You’re. You’re going to have to back up a little bit, sweetie.”


Apparently, two other contestants had attached themselves to Izuku after his performance during the exam- which had involved detonating some of the experimental shockwave grenades, Izuku why - and, being the… socially awkward peanut he was, he had no idea how to take it.

Hisashi laughed for a solid five minutes before finally calming down and telling Izuku they probably just wanted to be friends. If not, well, then he’d have something to think about.


There was only a month wait between the exam and the test results. The four of them sat in tense anticipation the whole time. Izuku continued his training, Hisashi testing out new ideas for equipment at the cluttered beach while Inko made sure they all ate at regular intervals.

Toshinori made sure no one let their worries bring them down by jumping at anyone who looked too depressed. Izuku learned to catch him by the third time.

He also kept an eye on the news, growing more and more antsy. It wasn’t that the desire for his old body was only hitting him now, obviously fucking not , but… he wanted to be able to hug Izuku and tell him he was proud, when the boy finally got his acceptance letter, had his first day at the academy.

There was no mention of the criminal that had escaped, though. He wondered if they had given up on finding him, this long into the search.


Toshinori wriggled, batting away the hand that was poking at his stomach. Someone snickered, hand coming back, and he grumbled, finally cracking an eye open. Hisashi grinned at him unrepentantly.

“C’mon, time to get up. There’s something we’ve been neglecting to do, much as you’ll hate it.” He stared uncomprehendingly. The man sighed. “Vet visit, Toshi. You’re still a rabbit, far off from baseline as you are, and we need to make sure you’re doing alright.”

Oh hell no .

 

Toshinori glared at the side of the Shame Crate and hoped that Hisashi was bitten by a goddamn terrier. The man ignored his mood as he hummed, head resting against the edge and swaying with the train. Toshinori was sure people were staring. He gnawed on the scarf wrapped around him.

“Y’ever wonder what it would be like if you ended up as something else? Instead of this, you were turned into, like, a cat or something. Or maybe a dog, considering what your persona is like.”

No. No he hadn’t. He mostly contemplated what it would have been like if he hadn’t been into an animal at all. Surprisingly bad, all things considered. Which was weird, considering most his mishaps didn’t improve his situation, lung and stomach case in point-

The train chimed, doors opening, and Hisashi carefully stood, one eye on Toshinori as he carefully meandered onto the platform and out into the street. As the cold hit them once more, the blond shivered, grateful when the other wrapped the scarf tighter around him.

“I don’t think you’d be as cute, to be honest. There’s just something adorable about a rabbit, even when it’s the size of a toddler.” Toshinori twitched, glancing up at Hisashi. His face was completely serious as he glanced down at him.

A grown man cannot be cute , he tried to convey, but Hisashi must have not understood the glare, instead grinning and turning his attention back to the street.

“Oh, there’s the clinic. Hopefully everything will be alright, ne?” They stepped into a building, Hisashi speaking with a secretary and then sitting in to wait. It wasn’t long before they were bustled into a room and he was finally allowed to clamber out of the box, settling onto the examination table with a disgruntled noise. Hisashi looked at him sympathetically.

“Must hate doctors nowadays, huh? I doubt your stay for that scar was a short one.” He nodded, and Hisashi grimaced. They sat there for a few more minutes, fidgeting, until someone opened the door, a tall man in a white coat stepping in. His skin was craggy and uneven, but it didn’t detract from the kind expression he wore as he bowed to them both.

“Good morning, Midoriya-san and… Himawari-san?”

Toshinori twitched. I forgot about that damn name. Why Sunflower of all things?

“Is there something else you would prefer me to refer to you as, then?” Toshinori paused, blinking at the veterinarian. Glanced over at Hisashi, who grinned with all his teeth. The doctor chuckled before bowing again.

“Why don’t I introduce myself first? My name is Kouda Yamato, and my Quirk is “Animal Whisper”. It allows me to understand just about every animal imaginable.”

...Well, shit. He’d have to thank Hisashi later. Kouda-sensei chuckled again and Toshinori sat up straighter, a great deal more at ease with this appointment than he had been before.

My name is Toshinori. It’s nice to meet you, Kouda-sensei.


He was about four pounds overweight, which the vet couldn’t decide as being good or bad, all things considered, but doing far better than recorded in his first visit. Kouda-sensei pat him on the head and told him to exercise a bit more, and then he would be as close to a picture of health as he could manage.

The train ride home was significantly less disgruntled.


Izuku’s results came in the mail on a Sunday. Toshinori had been napping on the bed with Hisashi, trying to leech as much warmth as he could, when Inko made a strangled noise from the hall and charged back into the living room, flailing.

“IZUKU! Your- your results, at least I think-” They all came rushing out to the living room, Toshinori face-planting into the back of the sofa in the hurry. Hisashi picked him up and set him on the back as Izuku shakily opened his letter, peering inside with trepidation. He blinked.

“There’s… a slip of paper. And a disk?” Toshinori perked up. He waved a paw, urging Izuku closer. The teen let him have the envelope, Toshinori carefully pulling the disk out and placing it next to him on the cushion. He bapped it with a paw, shuffling back as a burst of light emanated from it.

They blinked as their eyes adjusted and the image crystallized.

Aizawa-kun stared back at them, disinterested and tired as usual. Toshinori blinked bemusedly. Whose bright idea had it been to put him in charge of admissions results?

“Will you stop fiddling with the camera? Is it on or not?” There was some off-screen mumbling, and Aizawa sighed, rolling his eyes . “Just edit it in post. Anyways…”

“Midoriya Izuku, applicant 2559. You did fine on your written test, although you need to cut back on the length of your responses. As for the practical exam…” Aizawa paused. “You scored a total of 80 points, with sixty towards rescue and twenty towards elimination. With these scores, you have been accepted into Yuuei Academy. However,”

And here the man’s eyes flared a bit, hair lifting slightly from his shoulders as he scowled, “You will be meeting with the staff beforehand to ensure you understand what is and is not an appropriate item to take into simulations, as well as receive a list prior of what will be allowed during class. There will not be another incident as there was during the exam. A date and time will be included within your envelope- if you do not attend, it will be assumed that you are rejecting your invitation to the academy.” He paused again as someone’s voice rose again off-screen. “. ..And congratulations. We look forward to having you.

The message cut off with little fanfare.

“...Izuku.”

“Oh my god.”

Izuku.

Hisashi grabbed Inko and Izuku both, grinning like a maniac and shooting off flames as he cackled. “ You’re going to Yuuei!”

I’m going to Yuuei!! Holy shit!

“Language!”

Toshinori hopped round until they fell into a heap on the floor. Then he nuzzled the life out of his boy until he was sputtering and laughing. Hisashi grabbed him and hauled him onto his stomach, and they laid like that, grinning like loons.


“Izukkun.”

“Hmmm?”

“What did he mean by ‘incident’?”

“I, uh. May have used a lot of those grenades. And one of the cryogenic ones, when Uraraka-chan was about to get crushed by the gundam-sized robot.”

“...The cryogenic grenade you two only tested two weeks ago. And weren’t supposed to have copies of until two weeks ago.”

“Ye-es?”

“... Hisashi .”

“In my defense, I completely forgot I left it with him.”


Toshinori cocked his head when Izuku walked through the door the next day. The teen smelt like smoke, and his clothes were dishevelled, but there was a pleased tint to his face, a sureness to his actions that had been missing before.

He hopped up to the boy, pawing a leg in questioning. Izuku smiled down at him before glancing around, wincing at Inko sitting in the kitchen. He hurried to his room, signalling for Toshinori to follow.

“Uhm, mom and dad don’t really know the… extent, of the bullying, so I don’t want them hearing,” He mumbled once he closed the door, setting his bag down. “And mom doesn’t know that it’s K- Bakugou who’s doing a lot of it. I. Don’t want to worry them more than I already do.”

He gave Izuku an unimpressed stare. He shrugged sheepishly before continuing.

“But, they pulled me and B-Bakugou in today to congratulate us on getting into Yuuei, and then me for getting f-first in the exam. Bakugou wasn’t happy.” He picked at his sleeve, wincing at some of the char that came off. Toshinori nudged him again, earning a smile. “But I…”

He sat back on the bed, blinking hard. “...I stood up to him. Shoved him back and- and told him I deserved to be there as much as anyone else. Probably-” He grinned shakily, hysterical laughs bubbling. “Probably more than a lot of people, considering the effort I put into being accepted, but oh gods I stood up to him .”

Toshinori sighed as the teen buried his head in his knees, shoulders shaking. If there was one thing he wished he could do, it was give hell to the teachers who thought letting something like this slide was acceptable. He scrambled up onto the bed, headbutting Izuku’s side until the teen uncurled and wrapped around him, burying his face in soft fur.

He’d be fine. It would just take some time.


Yuuei was still giant and looming at this size. Toshinori peered around from the safety of Izuku’s backpack, squinting at the empty grounds. It was strange without students.

The room they went to was larger than most, looking like it was usually used for one of the more chaotic classes like music or art. There were rows of seats and a projector already set up, and others were already there, chatting with each other or… working, on things?

Oh. Oh. This must be something they usually held for Support students. But, Izuku being Izuku, had been put into it as well for his little gadgets.

Maishima was at the front of the room, fiddling with the projector and avidly not looking at any of them, likely for his own peace of mind if he knew the man. When Izuku hesitantly walked up to him, the ginger squinted at him before making a noise of recognition.

“Right, you’re the one that completely slagged the zero-pointer. What are you doing in Heroics with tools like that, kid?” Toshinori popped his head above Izuku’s shoulder, frowning at the man. He blinked slowly. “That. Is.”

“He’s helping make sure I don’t miss anything, since I tend to get wrapped up in my own thoughts,” Izuku explained, like he hadn’t just forgotten to check his bag again that morning when he hurried off to the train station, “And, uh. Support is more my dad’s thing? I want to help people, but... More directly, I suppose?”

“...Who’s your father?”

“Midoriya Hisashi…?” Maishima stared at Izuku.

“...Right. Good thing you aren’t going into Support, then. One of him is enough. Take a seat wherever, the presentation will be starting soon.”

Izuku turned to the room at large. Toshinori nudged him and pointed at an empty seat next to a pink-haired girl.

When they sat down, she barely took notice, humming over something that looked a cross between a heater and a crossbow. They left her to it.


Did. Did they expect these children to build death rays if they were left alone?

This sort of shit is why I stayed away from the Support students in school.


There was a month left until Izuku’s beginning at Yuuei. The teen stopped coming home bruised and smoking, surer and surer. Toshinori was inordinately pleased.


“...T-. Toshinori-kun?”

He hummed, shoving his face further into the warmth of a side. Someone giggled hysterically.

“I don’t know whether to be happy or mortified for him. Is it possible to be both?”

“His hair is like his ears , that’s so cute , aww-w.” Someone touched his head and he shied away, frowning as he opened an eye. Inko looked back at him, face red and a smile covered by a hand. “Toshinori-kun, have you, um, that is-”

He propped himself up on one elbow, brow-

He stared down.

“Aa-and there’s the realisation.”

Hands. Arms, furless skin. Opposable thumbs .

“Oh my fucking god.” Toshinori moved to shove himself up, look and make sure because holy fucking god , but he froze at the last second, feeling blanket where he shouldn’t have been able.

Inko and Hisashi looked at him in knowing amusement.

“I am not wearing clothes.”

“W-well-” Hisashi covered his mouth, coughing. “You-you weren’t when you were a rabbit, so…”

He carefully laid back down. Shoved his head into the mattress and screamed a little.

Hisashi finally broke down and started laughing uncontrollably. Inko scolded the both of them and went to go search the closet to see if they had anything that would fit him.


Thumbs. Thuuuumbs .

He stuffed another piece of omurice into his mouth, pulling the sheet closer around his body, swinging his legs. Legs legs legs legs yes yes.

On the television the news was playing, anchor reporting that a notorious villain had finally been captured and his chaos reversed thanks to an underground hero. Knowing the signs and just who could have accomplished this, Toshinori sent a prayer up to the gods that Aizawa-kun would have the best fucking year and hug as many cats as he wanted to. Best man.

“Morn- uhhhh.” Toshinori glanced over at Izuku, waving enthusiastically. The teen stared at him, before asking hesitantly, “Toshinori-san…?”

He nodded before remembering he could talk now and grinning. “Eraserhead finally caught the villain who changed me.” The teen kept staring.

“That’s. Good. You’re uh, very tall. I guess that’s why you were so big…?”

Probably. He’d never really contemplated it. Wasn’t going to, now. Now was for shoving more non-fruit-or-hay food down his gullet.


Naomasa wouldn’t stop staring at him when he showed up with some of Toshinori’s clothes. Toshinori ignored him as he slipped into a button-up and pants, fiddling with the buttons with a delighted hum.

“You know, when Midoriya-san said you were doing better, I didn’t expect this.” He paused, chuckling at the other man.

“Well, what were you expecting then? Me in my Hero form?”

“No, Toshi, it’s-” Naomasa cut himself off, shaking his head. “Have you looked at yourself? Really looked at yourself, in the mirror, not just pat yourself down to make sure everything was there?”

Well… No. He generally avoided mirrors, both as a human and a rabbit. Looking at himself wasn’t pleasant. Naomasa took his silence as answer and gently grabbed him by the elbow, steering him to the bathroom and flicking on the light.

Toshinori stared at the man in the mirror. Swallowed around the stone in his throat.

“I…” A hand drifted to his stomach, and he pulled at the skin there, the padding, drifted to his cheek, where there was only a hint of cheekbones.

“Oh,” he whispered.

Naomasa left him to it as he sat heavily on the rim of the bath.


“That’s not going to do at all,” Inko declared when he finally emerged from the bathroom, shirt buttoned and his clothes as neat as they were going to be. He blinked at her, taking in the frown that marred her features.

“What-?”

“You look like you’re playing dress-up! You need fitting clothes, Toshinori-kun.”

“I- no, these are, perfectly fine, I promise-”

“And the size- I would have thought your clothes would be too small, considering how thin you were.” She fiddled with one sleeve, pulling it taut around his arm and grimacing at all the slack. “Why are your clothes so large?”

“I- It was easier to just keep wearing these, then going out and buying a whole new wardrobe? And it meant I didn’t need to worry about tearing my clothes?”

She shook her head. Hisashi gave him a thumbs-up when he glanced at him and did jack shit to stop her.

“That won’t do. We’re going shopping then.”

 

Toshinori stood in the changing room and had no idea how in the hell they ended up here.

“I- is this really necessary?”

“Ye-es,” Hisashi drawled from outside. He sighed and stepped out. The older man gave him a critical once-over, pursing his lips.

“The colour is good, but the fabric… You said you would need to be able to transform, right? We’ll need to look in the Mutative department, then.”

He let the man tug him along, sighing as they passed racks of clothing. “You realise this isn’t necessary, right? My old clothes serve me perfectly well.”

“You look like you’re swimming in them.”

“Well, yes, I suppose, but it’s- I’ve already inconvenienced you all enough-” Hisashi slapped him lightly on the arm, cutting him off. The glare he gave made Toshinori baulk.

“What did I say when you ran away from Nighteye? We care about you, Toshinori, whether you’re a rabbit or human or goddamn All Might. That isn’t going to change just because you need some new clothes or somewhere to sleep until you find a new apartment.”

He stayed quiet and let the man pile clothes into his arms from that point on.


His new wardrobe was… nice. Formal and casual, in shades of blue, brown, and green, oddly enough. Soft enough fabric that could still stretch enough that, as tested, he would be able to wear them in his Hero form with no problem.

He sat in cargo pants and an All Might-themed sweater- Hisashi why - and let Inko shove apartment listings close by at him. It was, he supposed, a tad more comfortable.

He let the collar cover his face and smiled to himself.


Toshinori sat on the couch wrapped in a comforter, blearily shovelling cereal as the news blared. Izuku was zipping about as usual, muttering to himself as he checked his bag.

“...Still no sign of All Might after almost a year, and people are beginning to lose hope-”

SHI-IT-” The cereal went on the floor. Toshinori ignored it in favour of tugging on his bangs and resisting the urge to yell. “I knew I forgot something! Fuck! I need my cost-”

He cut himself off. Straightened and turned around.

Inko and Izuku were staring at him, Izuku glancing between the television and him while his eyes progressively widened. Hisashi had his head in his hands with shaking shoulders.

Fuck.”

Chapter 6

Notes:

Toshi: *gross sobbing*

Chapter Text

Toshinori twiddled his thumbs and wished he could be literally anywhere else . Inko continued staring at him from across the table. Izuku sat between them leaning on a hand, while Hisashi had disappeared outside, the fucking traitor.

“Was anything you told us true?” He flinched, bowing his head.

“My- my name really is Yagi Toshinori, and I do work as All Might’s secretary. Although it’s less, uh, being that, and more just… handling my own paperwork… And I-” He curled inward, frowning as a hand drifted to his side, “-I really was injured five years ago. It was a- a villain that. Caught me by surprise. It’s made me a bit slower in my work, which is why I was caught by that transformation Quirk.”

Inko didn’t respond. Kept staring at him with a slight frown until he curled more and more up in his chair.

“I- I’m sorry I lied, but it’s- being a hero-”

“Means you have to worry about who really knows you.” They both looked at Izuku, who was biting at his thumbnail. “And whether or not it’s safe to tell someone who you really are.”

He slumped over. “Yes. The only reason I told Hisashi is because Naomasa’s reaction-”

“Hisashi knew? ” Toshinori and Izuku watched Inko shove herself up, stomping out to the front door. They both winced at the yelp that followed. Coughing, Toshinori turned back to Izuku, eyeing him warily. The teen’s expression was conflicted, and Toshinori braced him for declarations that everything was different now, to be called All Might instead of Toshinori.

“...Toshinori-san. Your injury. Shouldn’t you have been forced to retire, with how severe it is?”

Toshinori blinked at him dumbly. Izuku only stared back, concern furrowing his brow. “It- I’m the Symbol of Peace, Izuku-kun. If I retired, it’d be open season on the public.”

“But you’re one person,” Izuku said, echoing Hisashi, “You may be A-All Might, but… you’re a person, too, Toshinori-san. And it’s obvious you’ve been suffering from- from trying to pretend you’re not.”

He didn’t have a response to that. Didn’t know how to articulate that it was his duty, he had to because of this Quirk. Izuku frowned at him and reached over, tugging until the teen could wrap his arms around him.

“I’m sorry that you’ve been lead to think that. It’s not right.”

They sat like that until Inko came marching back in, Hisashi sheepishly following her. Her expression softened when she saw the two of them, and he looked back, feeling adrift among these three.

“Toshinori-kun. How many people know about you? The injury, your actual name?”

He hesitated, tried to think. “The Yuuei faculty know, since I’m supposed to begin teaching there this year, and… Naomasa-kun, and my old teacher. Sir Nighteye as well.” Inko looked sad at that, shook her head and drew him close to rest her head on his shoulder.

“No wonder you hid. It must be reflex by now. Well,” She huffed, stepping back, “Just be sure you know this won’t be enough to chase us off.”

No. He didn’t think it would be.


He told them about the limit and the basics of One for All, because it seemed the right thing to do after all this. When he transformed into his Hero form, Izuku made a strangled noise and had to go sit in his room for a while. When he asked what was wrong, Izuku just tossed the Shame Crate through the doorway.

He glared at the thing and punted it to the corner. Hisashi could fuck off with his giggling.


The public went ballistic when he finally reappeared again, going on a spree through the city and making his presence known. When a reporter asked where he had gone after stopping a robbery, he smiled at the camera and said he had been away on an important operation. They took it at face value and didn’t press, trusting their Number One.

Thank god for small mercies.


Hisashi set the couch on fire attempting to make a shield.

Hisashi got to sleep on said couch when Inko banished him from the bedroom. She pat Toshinori on the shoulder and told him that it was inevitable with him home now. The fact they had gone months without an accident was applaudable, honestly.

Meanwhile, he could take the other side of the bed while they figured out what to do.


He finally grabbed his things from Naomasa’s apartment, thanking the man profusely for grabbing them before his landlord threw them out. The woman was decent, truly, but she had no patience for those who missed rent.

Looking at the three boxes, it was slightly disheartening all he owned but furniture compressed into this small a space. Sifting through one box, there was mostly things he had been given over the years, gifts, nothing that he had bought himself.

He wondered when he had stopped bothering with normal life, along the years.

When he set them in the corner of the living room, Inko frowned, and he almost apologised until she shook her head.

“You don’t have much, do you Toshinori-kun?”

“Ah, no. I think at some point, I just decided it was easier…” He looked back down at the boxes, around the living room. It would take multiple to contain the lives rooted in the apartment. He’d miss it when he finally moved out.

(He didn’t see Inko squinting at him speculatively, or her nodding with Hisashi later that night).


Toshinori smiled nervously at the teachers, fidgeting when they kept staring.

“Yo, All Might, did you like… go on a retreat for the past nine months? Grow a new stomach or something?” Aizawa-kun elbowed Present Mic in the stomach, sending him wheezing to the floor. Toshinori was guiltily grateful.
“A-ah, no, uh. I was caught in the crossfire of a villain and was forced to recover. Thus…” He pat his stomach. Goddamn, that was still weird. Someone coughed.

“Well! I believe we’re all glad to see you safe and sound, All Might, and to have you!” He glared at Nedzu. Nedzu ignored him. “Do you have your lesson plans yet?”

He tugged the outlines out of his bag, hefting the stack up. The others ogled as he chuckled sheepishly.

“I, ah, may have had some help.”


Toshinori’s limit had extended to six hours a day.

Toshinori no longer went over his limit regardless of that fact.

Going over his limit meant dealing with four hours of disappointed expressions and Izuku worriedly asking if he had spit up any blood, if he was feeling alright, was he sure he should be lifting that?

It was enough to make him cut back. Those eyes were deadly weapons.


Toshinori hummed, brushing a paw over his nose, snuffling into an ear, debating what to do that day, what he could-

Before snapping his eyes and sitting up, blinking down at his hands. Right. Human again.

...It would take some while to get used to it again, huh. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, shoving himself up to get ready for the day. No point thinking about it right now.


Izuku came home two days before the start of the school year with a handprint blistered into his arm.

Toshinori came back to a tense apartment, Izuku and his parents at an impasse while they tried to figure out why he was so secretive and he tried to let nothing slip. They all jumped when he stepped in, costume thrown over his arm and a can of tea in hand. He just blinked at them and glanced at Izuku’s arm.

“Ah.”

“Do you know what’s going on?” He hesitated, glancing between the three. Izuku’s expression was begging him not to say anything, but, well. Nine months had made it clear to him that staying silent on the problem probably wasn’t going to help.

“Izuku is being bullied at school, although I don’t know how long it's gone on. Someone named Bakugou seems to be leading it all?” Izuku slouched while Inko and Hisashi froze, gaining decidedly murderous expressions. Toshinori stepped back. “Uh.”

“I’m going to kill him.”

“Inko, no.” Hisashi’s expression twitched into a smirk, and he reached for his coat, slipping by with a pat to Toshinori’s shoulder. “We can do worse. Let’s go talk to Masaru and Mitsuki.”

“Dad- please- it’ll be worse, I’m handling it-”

“Well it certainly won’t get better if you leave it , Izuku. You’re sixteen , this isn’t the time to start emulating Toshi and taking everything on yourself.” Toshinori made an offended noise, but he was too busy watching the two throw on their outdoor clothes to protest.

“I- could some explain what’s going on, please?” Hisashi finally looked at him as they pulled open the front door, expression fierce.

“Bakugou Katsuki is the son of two old family friends. We thought he had straightened up since nursery school, but apparently not. And knowing him, Mitsuki and Masaru likely don’t know a thing about it. So we’re going to just go give them a little tip .”

With that, they shut the door, leaving Toshinori and Izuku alone. He blinked, wondering if he was going to have to break up an assault later, before perking up at a wheeze. He looked over at Izuku, who was-

Hunched over and hyperventilating. Shit. He hurried over, running a hand down the teen’s back and ushering him to the sofa.

“I know- I shouldn’t-”

“It’s alright to still be affected, Izuku. You aren’t going to be magically okay now that you’re standing up for yourself, and that’s alright.”

“I- I was doing fine , he wasn’t coming near me after last time, and now he-” Izuku cut himself off, sniffling. Toshinori sighed and kept rubbing his back, pressing the boy tight into his side.

Off in the distance, there was the sound of screaming. He grimaced.

Ten minutes later, when he had finally gotten Izuku calmed down to some extent, he heard talking outside the door. Hisashi stepped through, humming, with a blonde woman close behind. She was around the same age as him with spiky hair, and Toshinori watched as she caught sight of them and scowled.

He straightened up as she stalked forward, coming to a stop in front of them. Izuku didn’t look up, even with his nudging.

“Izukkun. Look at me.” He did, slowly, reluctantly. The woman sunk to her knees in front of him, placing hands on her shoulders. “You need to know. If we had known the shit Katsuki was pulling, we would have never let it continue. You aren’t lesser just because you’re Quirkless, or weaker, or stupider. Considering you got first in the damn exam, you’re a step above a lot of those other fuckers.”

“I know, Auntie.” Izuku whispered.

“Good. Because he’s a fucking idiot. I love my son, but that’s what he is. And I love you too, as much as I do Inko and that walking house fire.”

“I’m right here, huài dàn.”

“Speak Japanese then, fucker. And you!” Toshinori jolted, smiling nervously as she turned her attention to him. She shoved a hand forward, grinning when he shook it. “Bakugou Mitsuki. Nice to meet ya.”

Well. He took it carefully. “Yagi Toshinori, ma’am.”

Her grin widened. “Welcome to the family, Toshi.”


Inko came home an hour later with a sheaf of papers and a deadly calm expression. Toshinori immediately decided the best course of action would be to stay out of her way and go with whatever she said.

“So, there’s enough to file a lawsuit for discrimination, as well as negligence and even encouragement of harassment. For multiple students, not just Izuku..” She tipped her head towards Mitsuki, smiling. “We’ll keep Katsuki as uninvolved as possible, of course. You all don’t need a court case on top of this all.”

“Of course,” Mitsuki said dryly. Toshinori looked between the two.

“Er.”

“She’s suing the school,” Izuku muttered next to him. He twitched. “Of course she is. This is going to be insane, right before I start Yuuei, too.”

Why was everyone he ended up close to utterly terrifying?


Nedzu was highly accommodating when the Midoriyas alerted him to the situation. It was a simple thing to switch Katsuki for a student from 1-B, eliminating most chances for conflict. Hopefully switching them wouldn’t cause any issues in the teacher’s plans, but, well…

Him staying there would just cause more, honestly.


Yuuei was significantly more familiar now that he was on two feet again, walking in his deflated form through the gates. He waved goodbye to Izuku, watching the boy run on ahead while he headed for the staffroom.

His first day teaching students. Jesus. Sitting at an empty desk, he set into his lessons plans, hoping to iron out any last-minute kinks. Hopefully it would all go well.


Watching the teachers interact was… amusing.

Toshinori glanced up as Aizawa lurched in, still halfway in his sleeping bag with a disgruntled expression.

“Everything alright, Shouta? You look like you got a wasp stuck in your bag again.” He glared at Kayama, throwing himself into his chair.

“My class is full of smartasses, this year.” He rubbed his hand over his face. “The problem child took my ‘give it your all’ comment and twisted it to mean that he needed to get creative.”

Oh. Oh he had a bad feeling.

“Oh-hh? What’d he do?”

“Used skates of all things on the 100-metre dash, then asked his classmates to help him with other tests. For the softball throw he, I swear on my fucking scarf, took a small explosive and just tied it to the ball .”

Oh sweet Christ, Izuku, what. Toshinori resisted the urge to sink into his chair as the others burst into laughter, souring Aizawa’s expression further.

“Well I mean, it’s not like he didn’t do what you said, right? He took advantage of what was around him and performed as best he could! And within the rules of the school!”

Aizawa gave Yamada an expression that would have killed a lesser man. Toshinori resolved to remind Izuku that it wasn’t best to antagonize his homeroom teacher.


He stared with no small measure of despair at the arena. This was not going well.

He had pit the students against each other a la Kenichi style, hoping to get a read on their fighting styles and abilities before he even bothered putting them in simulations. Hisashi had suggested that- wedged between some muttering about untested equipment and damage costs, he’d pointed out that these were civilians , and he needed to know what he was working with first and foremost.

Barely anything. Scraps is what he was working with. Yaoyorozu-chan, for all that she was obviously determined and a focused student, didn’t know how to move with her body, throwing clumsy hits and nearly breaking her hand with how she positioned her fingers. Her Quirk let her throw curveballs during the fight, improvising with random objects she Created, but it wasn’t enough to compensate.

Iida-kun, on the other hand, knew how to move with his body, minimizing energy and openings, but didn’t seem to know how to quite use his Quirk in a combat setting, often overshooting his bursts and sprinting past Yaoyorozu-chan completely.

Toshinori sighed and stepped forward, making sure to keep his smile pasted on his face as he separated the two and asked the crowd of the students if they could tell him what was wrong.

This was going to be… fun, adjusting to.


Aizawa-kun gave him a considering look as he prepared to leave, hoping against hope no one saw him scampering to Izuku, waiting by the gates.

“You know, I would have thought you’d be significantly more… hands-on, with this.”

“What do you mean?” A handwave, the man turning back to his computer.

“I don’t know, you putting more of that show persona into lessons? Pitting them against each other right from the start? That seems more your style.” Toshinori pointedly didn’t think about those first lesson plans from months ago.

“Well. I’m glad to see I surpassed your expectations then, Aizawa-kun.”

He hurried out before the man could respond. Izuku was where they had agreed and smiled at him as he approached, sidling up to talk about his classes from the day.

Toshinori listened with a smile and absently wondered what would be for dinner, what Hisashi would be working on when they came home.


The fork fell onto his plate with a clatter. Onscreen, the news anchor continued talking about the class-action lawsuit being filed against the Musutafu Board of Education. He could see Izuku silently groaning out of the corner of his eye.

Slowly, he turned to look at Inko, still cooking with a cheery hum at the stove. Looked at Hisashi, who just gave him a thumbs up.

Toshinori went back to his breakfast. Not worth thinking about this early in the morning.


Toshinori squinted at the laptop.

“This is a house.”

“Yes.”

“Hisashi, I don’t need a house, especially one with three rooms, and a. Studio.” He looked at Hisashi. Hisashi looked steadily back. “You-.”

“Family, Toshi. Mitsuki saying it doesn’t make it any less true.”

“But- you don’t need to, to uproot yourself just because-” Hisashi shook his head, snorting.

“It’s not just that. This apartment wasn’t meant for three people, much less two adults and a teenager. We got it when Izuku was just a baby. Now that I’m staying, and he’s older, it’s about time we moved.” He shrugged nonchalantly. “I was originally just looking at larger apartments. A house wasn’t that much a step up once Inko mentioned you.”

Toshinori blinked rapidly and looked back down at the listing.

“...If you’ll have me, then,” He finally croaked, clearing his throat. Hisashi smiled and leaned into him, pulling up more listings he had found.


Toshinori squinted at the destroyed gate, something pinging, telling him to pay attention. Aizawa-kun and the other teachers were bemoaning the press, blaming it on them, but… In all his years, one of the things that paparazzi had done their best to avoid was legal charges, and property damage definitely was one.

He frowned and turned away. He would just have to keep a careful eye on the school for the next while.

Chapter 7

Summary:

mmmMMMMMM

Chapter Text

The house was. Larger, than anything he’d lived in, for… decades, at the very least. He stared up at it and then back at the van behind him, Hisashi and Izuku sliding boxes out the back while workers carried the bigger furniture.

“You alright?” He blinked, glancing down at Inko. She’d slid up next to him at some point, hand on his arm while a crowd of small boxes floated around her.

He hesitated, before slowly wrapping an arm around her, squeezing once. “Fine. Just… overwhelmed.”

She smiled, leaning in to pat his cheek. “It’ll be alright. Just help us figure out where everything should go and you’ll get used to it.”

He helped them figure out where everything should go. Inko had horrible taste in arrangements and Hisashi kept wanting to put things in the strangest places (“We’re not putting an anvil there what is- isn’t this the reason we made sure the house had a studio? No. ”). Izuku, bless his tiny heart, helped him rein in his parents and make sure the furniture went somewhere sensible.

They finished sometime past nine, collapsing on the (new) sofa with sighs. Toshinori stared at the ceiling.

“I don’t want to cook.”

“Same oh my god. Takeout delivery?”

The Chinese food was sweet, sweet ambrosia.


(Hisashi hid the box in the back of the closet. It made for a good training tool against bad behaviour, and he wasn’t going to abandon it just because the man wasn’t furry anymore.)


The email was as curt as the last few had been, overly polite with no hint of personality. He read through it and the borderline aggressive inquiries as to where he had been, if he was uninjured, if he had considered his past few messages.

He had. Toogata-kun seemed like a nice boy, but Toshinori hadn’t met him, didn’t want to determine his successor based on someone else’s impressions or a lingering similarity. To be honest-

To be honest, he would have Izuku as his successor, if he could. Pass on this Quirk to the boy that had held steadfastly strong this past year no matter what, only wanted to help people in spite of his obstacles. That emulated all of what he wanted to be those decades ago when he shoved himself into the lives of his two teachers.

But it wouldn’t be fair.

The boy had risen out of that low with the resolution to show the world that being Quirkless didn’t matter, that it wouldn’t stop him from being a hero. Taking away that satisfaction, that goal… he didn’t want to. Didn’t think he could, would be able to go through with it.

Toshinori sighed and clicked the boy’s profile again. A third year at Yuuei, it said. Maybe he could hunt him down and talk, first?


The children were getting better. Moderately. Kaminari-kun was getting better at controlling his Quirk so he didn’t short out, and Tokage-chan was becoming better at… not using her Quirk for inappropriate things. All in all, they were less “making him fear for the future” now, and more “he’s worried they may hack off a finger, but not kill anyone”. It was a relief. Hopefully they’d continue on that path, past the next simulation planned and beyond.


He replied to Osamu’s email and said he would think of it. He spent the next hour staring at the email, wondering if he should add more, if it would be a bad idea. Remembered stern, gentle Hisashi murmuring you realise running away from people who know you is completely unhealthy, right?

He finally sent the message with nothing else added. It was too much right now, to try and reach out after their ending. Too raw, even after all these years thanks to those arguments, the cold rooms and colder bed.

But there were other frayed ends he had left untouched, another person, group he had… run away from.

He hovered between the two choices, debating, fearing, before finally clicking on one. A small message, a request to meet, and it was off. Hopefully he wouldn’t regret it.


Toshi scratched at his ears, stretching and letting his paws-

He snapped his eyes open. Human feet. Touched his ears. Rounded shells.

Toshinori sighed and rolled out of the bed, thumping onto the floor. He needed to get his shit together- especially since today was going to be hectic, with the USJ simulation. God help them if Aizawa-kun went easy on the kids for once.

...Then again, considering some of them, maybe being hard was all that would get through them.

He hummed, got ready and stumbled out into the dining room, seeing Hisashi muttering with Izuku over the newest version of the net they’d made. It was supposed to be able to go into a canister for easy and quick deployment, to take enemies by surprise.

Toshinori squinted at it, rubbing at his eyes. “Did… did you two add glitter to it?”

“They did.” Inko hurried over from the counter, bento box in hand. She gave him a one-armed hug as he automatically chinned her. “Be safe today, alright? Knowing you, you’ll spend the whole morning doing patrols until class. Hisashi, don’t blow up the studio again, the wall still needs to set, and Izuku, don’t do anything too dangerous, you’re still experimenting. Love you all.”

“Love you!” The duo at the table called. Toshinori watched her close the door before turning back, still reeling.

Well. That was new.


He mentioned his constant flashbacks to Izuku on the walk to school. Izuku suggested that therapy may be a good idea, considering being trapped in a body for nine months against his will wasn’t exactly a positive experience.

He grimaced at the idea of therapy, remembering those months of skipping appointments at the beginning of his… everything. Physical rehabilitation had been a necessary hell, but he had viewed the accompanying therapy as pointless, another distraction from his work even as the others said it would help, that it was supposed to.

He looked at Izuku, who hadn’t been wrong in his advice yet, him, Hisashi, and Inko. Everything they’d have him do was what the others had pushed for him to years ago. Maybe… Maybe there was some merit, to the idea.

“...I’ll consider it,” He finally said. Izuku took it at face value and smiled at him. The rest of the trip to Yuuei was quiet.


…?

A hole widening bodies stepping out abomination stepping out-

Shit. Shit shit shit no the kits no

Aizawa rocketing down with him and ambushing the villains, slamming them together incapacitating while the ringleader, was he? Did it matter? He laughed, cackled at them, him, and the children screamed as something happened he couldn’t see and the monster rocketed forward without noise-

Aizawa no fuck shit

Blood pouring from his face unresponsive Toshinori baring his teeth and growling guttural as the thing released his coworker from one meaty paw letting him fall to the ground as he slammed forward but it matched him beat for beat took his hits like nothing-

Why? Why why why no

And then fingers grabbed him by the sides, dug into that spot and made him gasp as blood poured in rivulets and he needed to be small he needed to get away now quick-

And then he was looking up up up at it as steam billowed as he scrambled back wincing at the pain in his side but the thing wasn’t following and the villain was screeching in the background, yelling as he finally listened in-

What the FUCK? IS THAT A FUCKING RABBIT? WHERE THE HELL DID ALL MIGHT GO?

His heart stopped.

No. No no no no no-

He couldn’t afford a pause though rocketed off went sprinting as One for All flared and bounded off the albino, sent him staggering as he leapt towards the monster standing there motionless, scrabbled up its body while the mastermind screeched for it to move until he reached exposed brain matter until he could dig in because no matter the Quirk or invulnerability nothing could survive taking out the brain the body’s computer and it screamed, staggered before slowly, slowly falling-

Taking him with it. He braced for impact wait chest heaving and sides screaming but something plucked him off grabbed him right as it crashed and pulled him away roughly.

Izuku whispered apologies as he held him close and threw something, he couldn’t see what, dashed away from the epicenter of activity and back towards- towards Tokage and Asui, staring at the sidelines with wide eyes.

Holy fuck .

Toshinori stared ahead of himself, watched the villain disintegrate Izuku’s net and screech at Tokage’s hand clawing his face, squirmed in his boy’s arms and he was hyperventilating because, because -

It had been simple. Was supposed to be simple. Was meant to just be a normal rescue simulation and here they were facing off against actual villains having to fight for their lives as their teachers failed them, as Toshinori failed them and ruined himself again , somehow, like he always did-

Izuku smoothed a hand over his ears, murmured it would be alright even as the students alternatively stared at him and the villain in turn, as his side bled. He didn’t think it’d be alright. Aizawa was laying in a pool of his own blood from where Noumu had slammed his face hard enough to knock him out, and he doubted the screams he’d heard earlier signalled anything good for Kurofuka.

He tried to say something but belatedly remembered he couldn’t stuck as he was and he shriveled at the thought, felt panic rise in him again before he pushed it down because this wasn’t the time even if he wished he wasn’t fucking furry again-

Izuku squealed and dropped him. Toshinori fell on his ass and blankly stared forward, blinking at the feel of naked skin again. Some of the students stared even as a shot rang out and he-

Naked.

Toshinori let out a sound like a dying cat and abruptly transformed again, shrinking back to that diminished form, wheezing at the drastic change. Izuku peered down at him worriedly, frowning, but he couldn’t offer an answer, could barely keep his eyes open-

Actually. No barely about it. There was everything going grey. Fucking wonderful.


“Dude. Did I just imagine that-?”

“No, that was definitely All Might as a rabbit. Unless we’re all mass hallucinating.”

“...Maybe his Quirk is really weird?”


Toshinori blinked awake on a hospital bed, eyesight blurry and head still fuzzed from… meds? Someone was talking nearby, and he turned his head, caught sight of curly pepper hair and pale skin.

“Hmmmmmisa-?” Hisashi, it had to be him, jumped, nearly falling over himself as he hurried to Toshi’s side.

“You-” He faltered, quieted as he looked down at him. Toshinori hummed in delight as a thumb rubbed down his ears, smoothing the fur there. “Things were so much easier when I only had a reckless kid, fuck. Now I have a reckless dumbass to worry about.”

“MMmm’older ‘n you-”

“You act like a dumbass, you get called a dumbass.” He huffed at that, snorfled into the ruff at his neck as everything went fuzzier. He sank back into the muddy darkness without a thought put towards the strangeness of the situation.


The next time Toshinori woke up, there was a dull ache in his side and he was lying in an infirmary bed. He sat up slowly, patting at his side. The injuries were mostly healed, which meant he’d either been out for days or weeks. Quirks were iffy like that.

“Toshinori.” He looked over, caught sight of Chiyo looking at him with no small amount of relief. “You’re finally up, that’s good. How are you feeling?”

“Like I went on a bender the night before and slammed into a car.” Chiyo snorted, looking down at the clipboard in her hand. There was something in her expression that gave him pause, made him tread carefully. “...Is everyone alright? The students are unharmed?”

“Oh, they’re completely fine,” She reassured, “In need of some sessions with Nemuri, likely, but nothing time won’t heal. Shouta and Hikaru are also on the road to recovery.”

“Then what is it?”

She made a small noise, sat in the chair next to his bed with a sigh. “Can you tell me what it feels like, when you activate One for All? How you spark it.”

“I…” He considered the seeming non sequitur carefully. “...I suppose I simply think of how I need to be able to fight as I used to, before the injury, and need to use that strength. Then I’ll be expanding back into that form. Why?”

“How much do you remember, of the attack?” She asked. He-

Fur paws ears-

“Hnnrnrrgh-???”

“There we go,” She muttered. Chiyo cleared her throat, watching him pat at his body in a panic because ??? WHAT . “Midoriya-kun brought you in while you were… still in that form. Were you ever going to tell me you were involved in the villain case from the past year?”

“I didn’t think it mattered anymore!” He cried. “Oh my God, how the fuck-”

Language. Calm down , Toshinori, you’re fine.”

I turned furry again when I should be one hundred percent human I am not fine Chiyo-

She smacked him upside the head with her clipboard.

Toshinori sat quietly in the bed. Chiyo sighed and muttered something about salaries.

“The problem here, Toshinori, is that you shifted between that form and your normal one- which is much healthier, thank you for telling me- with no outside influence. Which as you said, shouldn’t be possible.”

“So-”

Unless,” She continued, talking over him, “We consider what you are already capable of.” She tapped at his hand with the board, frowning. “Your ability to switch between two drastically different forms based on thought makes no sense in the context of One for All, Toshinori. Logically, you should simply be able to use it in your base form with no changes in appearance, especially since it isn’t what caused that difference.”
“I…” He trailed off. “What else could it be, then?”

Instead of answering, she went over to the heart monitor by his bed, pointing out one of the small numbers. “This is your Plus Alpha levels. Right now, since you aren’t using a Quirk, they’re low. Transform for me, if you can.”

He did, carefully flaring One for All and feeling himself bulk up, his hair lift. The numbers on the screen jumped up, stayed high as he watched. She nodded at the screen, lips pursing as she turned back.

“Now, I want you to turn into that rabbit form.”

“Chiyo-”

“Just try it, Toshinori. Do what you do for One for All.”

He did, reluctantly, thought about being small, compressing himself into that form to, to comfort Izuku maybe? Hide somewhere small, escape a large foe-

And then suddenly he was tiny, swallowed in the blankets as steam rose around him. Chiyo was suddenly as big as he was, and everything towered over him .

The number on the monitor hadn’t so much as dipped.


Once he had calmed down and was no longer gnawing at the blanket like a fucking nut, Chiyo caught his attention once more, tapping the monitor as he steamed back into humanity.

“You yourself have described One for All as an immediate burst of energy, Toshinori. Those numbers staying steady shouldn’t be possible, if it was the source of your transformation- so something else has to be letting you do them.”

He knew where she was going. It was impossible. “I was Quirkless. I have the toe joint.”

“That’s only an indicator seventy percent of the time, Toshinori. Most only use it if there’s no obvious baseline mutations.”

“I- I’m forty-seven , Chiyo, I would have picked up on a Quirk by now-”

“Not if it was specific enough you couldn’t know. Like, say, the ability to transfer Quirks to another person.” His jaw snapped shut at her pointed look, and he puffed up, ready to argue more, but.

But there was something significantly less terrifying about having a hidden Quirk than Aizawa’s reversal malfunctioning.

“...So. A Quirk that. Lets me transform?”

“From what I can tell,” She agreed, “Specifically, I’d say… It likely lets you morph into previous states of being. It must also be why there’s a limit on you using your larger form- the strain of constantly keeping your Plus Alpha levels up in your state of health is too much.”

He considered that, staring down at his hands.

Well. Something to… think about, then. When having a small meltdown wouldn’t alarm anyone else.


“Toshinori, how . It’s been two months.

“Don’t judge me Nao, this isn’t on me for once. Now, who in the hell is Shigaraki?”


Inko and Izuku cried on him when the Midoriyas appeared. Izuku in particular seemed ready to hold him by the neck for hours, constantly patting down his sides. He reassured the boy he was fine, now, but… he understood needing to see it for oneself.

Chiyo released him to their care within an hour, seeing that he was ready to bounce out of his skin and knowing him attempting to escape on his own wouldn’t end well.

(Neither mentioned the incident from five years ago. There was still an indent in the hospital parking lot. He had checked.)

The ride back was quick, one of the parents having borrowed a car. Izuku rambled next to him about how the class was doing, what had gone on while he and Aizawa-kun had been in the midst of battle. Apparently, little to no planning had been put into the attack, seeing as the Quirks of the students hadn’t been known. He… couldn’t say he was surprised. That albino fellow hadn’t seemed exactly stable.

“And everyone’s sort of, uh.” Izuku shifted uncomfortably, a strange look coming to his face. “...Everyone saw? When you. Turned into a rabbit. So they sort of think your Quirk is like, some mishmash of abilities, now. But I, er, mentioned that you must not want it known, since you’ve never used it in public before, so they’re. Being quiet about it.”

“Well, technically, One for All is a mix. But that wasn’t it.”

“What?”

He blinked at the eyes staring at him. He. Never explained. Right.

He sighed and cracked his neck. “Let’s do this when we’re home. It’s a long explanation.”


By the end of said explanation, Hisashi had his head in his hands while Izuku was furiously writing in his notebooks, alternately muttering under his breath and rubbing a hand over his face.

“That’s…” Inko sighed, leaning back in her chair. “I think I understand where your insistence on doing everything comes from, now. It’s not just being All Might, when you’ve been fighting a criminal kingpin alone your whole career.”

“Considering barely anyone else knew about him-”

“You could have told others, Toshi,” Hisashi groaned from the cradle of his hands, “Let the apprehension circuit into the know. Send out reports that would make anyone run from his associates. One Quirk doesn’t mean you need to do it all yourself.”

“...” He looked down at his hands. “Yes. I could have. It didn’t occur to me, thanks to the grief from Nana’s death.” He cleared his throat, scratching at his neck. “Luckily, he shouldn’t be a worry anymore, what with that last bout…”

“But, well, are you sure?” He looked at Izuku, who was gnawing through his pencil. “It’s just, you said you uh, took out his, his head, and that kills most people I guess, but he’s already lived for two centuries? Are you- did you check the body afterwards, make sure?”

Toshinori stared. “Well- no, I assumed-” He stopped. Leaned back and stared at the wall. “Oh my God.”

Hisashi stood with a sigh and muttered something about adding security to the house. Inko wrapped an arm around him while he tried to breathe.


Toshinori stared at the ceiling for hours that night, thoughts swirling and panic rising and ebbing because All for One was likely still out there and he had failed, he was putting the three of them in danger and he couldn’t but he didn’t want to leave and- .

At the midnight mark, he finally gave up, shoving himself up and shuffling out of his room. The wood was cold on his feet, and he barely noticed his heels rising or the fur covering them in response.

The knock was quiet, barely there, and he shifted nervously from pad to pad as he waited. Eventually the door opened, Izuku blinking blearily up at him. They stared at each other, silent, before the teen shuffled aside, tugging him in by the hem of his shirt.

He slept curled around him, thoughts quiet.


Aizawa-kun was covered in bandages, and Kurofuka-san had a machine round their abdomen that quietly hummed as they slowly resolidified. Both perked up when they saw him, and he was slightly surprised at the worry, the relief, but he supposed they hadn’t seen him heal. Chiyo hadn’t exactly let in any visitors, with him in that form.

Regardless. He was glad to see them up and moving, even if Aizawa-kun’s dedication to teaching was… worrying. The man could stand to take a-

Holy God he sounded like Hisashi now.


The Sports Festival was in two weeks. He squinted out at the group, thought about Kaminari-kun fritzing himself for an hour and Bakugou managing to set Shiozaki’s hair on fire with an uncontrolled slap of his desk.

This was going to be painful.


“This is the time to show yourself off to the world. Since Support Department rules apply to you, you’ll be able to bring in approved equipment; we’ll have to plan-”

“A-aaaaayyyYagi! How are you why do you have Midoriya with you.” He stared nervously at Yamada-kun, who was looking at Izuku with a mixture of delight and trepidation. He was well acquainted with Izuku at this point. All the staff were.

The staff had learned well that whatever was with Hisashi was genetic to an extent.

“Ah, I’m just helping him some, giving him some tips,” He chuckled nervously, shrinking under Yamada-kun’s stare. He opened his mouth to say something more but Izuku straightened up, gaining a belligerent expression that immediately had him going Oh no .

“Am I not allowed to talk to Toshinori-nii or-?”

His voice cracked. They both stared.

“Izuku-?”

“Okay, I’m out, this is obviously not my business, you two keep being- that.”

Toshinori watched him flee from the break room. Turned back to Izuku, who was whining into his arms with a face as red as his must be.

He hesitantly reached out, patting one arm. Izuku groaned. “Please leave me to die in peace.”

“...” He smiled, tugged the boy closer despite weak protests. Izuku quieted down as he hugged him, rubbing his chin on a curly head.

“I don’t think I’d mind being called ‘Toshinori-nii’. Has a nice ring to it.”

Izuku screamed into his chest and wrapped his arms around him. He smiled and basked in the warmth engulfing him.


(“Shouta it was so cute oh my god??? I wonder when they even met, like, do you think he saved him or something?”

“Hizashi, I physically cannot care. They’re both batshit insane.”)


It was. Remarkably easy to slip between… forms, now that he was aware of it. He’ll be cold, and suddenly there’s a ruff of fur around his neck and fluff going down his legs. Wants to hurry, and suddenly his heels are round his damn knees and he’s sprinting on huge dinner plate-sized paws.

He’ll be sitting at his desk, for example , and then Yamada decides it’s alright to fucking scream in the lounge , making him jump and his ears puff into streams of fur and fluff.

The other teachers stared even as they disappeared after a split second.

“...All Might, was that-?”

“No.”

“But-”

No .” There was the sound of shuffling, before he could hear, easily thanks to his hearing, someone whispering,

“Does this mean Nedzu isn’t the only furry on campus?”

“He can hear you. There are cameras in all the staff rooms.”

Toshinori smiled at the strangled noise Yamada made, followed by Aizawa laughing himself out of his chair. He wouldn’t be laughing when Nedzu made them all terrified to breathe.


One week out from the Sports Festival, there was a knock on the door. Toshinori blinked, head still halfway in his omelette as Hisashi trudged to the genkan, spatula still in hand. A few minutes of indistinct voices, and he came back, highly amused with an approving glint in his eyes Toshinori didn’t know to be worried or relaxed over.

“There’s a midget-”

“BOY I WILL BEAT YOUR ASS-”

There’s a midget waiting for you at the front door, Toshi. I’m guessing you know who it is.”

He froze, suddenly awake and fully feeling the eggs against his cheek. Yes. He did.

Shi-it.

Chapter Text

This felt like deja vu, somewhat. Toshinori sat at the kitchen table and fiddled with his fork, not looking up from his plate. Across from him, Kenichi couldn’t stop staring.

“You’re fat .” Toshinori flinched, sucking in his stomach some, and Kenichi made a noise of annoyance. “No, kid- you were on the way t’ bein’ a goddamn skeleton last time y’talked to me. And now you’ve got more meat on yer bones than ya’ve had since high school . I’ve been tryin’ to get ya to put on extra weight fer years. Tha’s not even mentionin’ how yer eyes ain’t  pits anymore, or the fact yer hair doesn’t look like a rat's  nest .” He finally glanced up. His old teacher looked stupefied. “What the hell happened?

Toshinori smiled hesitantly and glanced at the Midoriyas, puttering around the kitchen and listening without remorse.

“Ah, I suppose it just… all cascaded, after I met these three. They’re the ones responsible for it all.” Inko made a strangled noise. His smile stretched further as he scratched at his neck. “I think I’ll always be grateful I met them.”

Kenichi eyed him for a moment more before turning to the Midoriyas. “How in the hell did y’all get him to listen? We jus’ gave up after too long of ‘im runnin’ away.”

Toshinori stilled as the temperature of the room suddenly dropped.

“Gave up?”

Kenichi waved a hand, taking a sip of the coffee one of the parents had given him. “Well, yeah, what else were we s’pposed to do? Th’ dumbass wouldn’t listen to us, wouldn’t slow down, n’ there’s only so much we could do. Y’get tired of trying over and over to make someone take ya seriously, y’know?”

The temperature dropped further. Toshinori glanced at Hisashi and wondered just how much his inner flames affected his surroundings, glanced at Kenichi and watched him slowly notice.

“What?”

“We didn’t ‘do’ anything, Falco-san. He may not have been able to protest at the very beginning when we first met, but after a point, he had full agency to ignore us.” Hisashi cocked his head, smile twitching. “Like he did to you, I’m guessing. Although it sounds like it may have also been you not trying.”

“T- boy, just what the shit do ya think you’re implyin’-”

“I’m not implying anything, Falco-san, I’m saying it outright. We didn’t see making sure Toshinori took care of himself as some chore when it was obviously ingrained into him to think it was less important than work. We didn’t give up just because he was skittish and wouldn’t listen at first. You don’t do that when someone is ill.” Hisashi cupped his chin with one hand faux-contemplatively. “You know, all it really took was talking to him like a person. Did you not do that? Only go on about how work would be fine without him, maybe? Forget a human being was behind that costume?”

“Hisashi, that’s enough. It’s not- just, stop .” Toshinori voice cracked when he spoke up, and when he scratched his fingers along the table, the finish screeched against his claws. This- this had not been what he meant to happen when he invited the man over to talk.

He jerkily stood up, chair screeching against the wooden floor. “Why don’t- let’s, let’s go outside, Kenichi, it’s nice out-” He bustled the man out, ignoring the Midoriyas’ stares as he shut the door behind them.

The garden was quiet when they wandered into it, and he sat heavily on the bench inside, putting his face in his hands. This was all just dandy and not making him regret this at all.

“...You found yourself some fierce protectors, huh, Toshi.” He peeked out from behind his fingers. Kenichi had a small frown, better than it could have been, and was peering at the house. “Y’said they were the ones responsible for this all?”

“...Yeah.” Toshinori dredged up a grimace. “Izuku was the one to take me home, and him and Inko both had me get my weight back up. When Hisashi came home, he… said some things that needed to be said.”

“Izuku… found you?”

Toshinori felt his expression twitch.


Kenichi laughed for five minutes straight when Toshinori transformed. Toshinori responded by headbutting him into the fertilizer.


Irresponsible, like they expected things to turn out well by just telling you, it’s obvious you have a complex-” Toshinori flinched, curled into himself and tried not to think-

“Honey-”

“-get you to listen! Ha! We just made it obvious we cared, told you it would hurt if you were still sick- what did they do, go on about crime rates and your supposedly dead nemesis?” -Shook his head but couldn’t reply, wanted to protest because that wasn’t it but only hunched further in and wanted to disappear, not think about this-

“Dad-”

“-Irresponsible, I bet they didn’t even stop you from doing what you wanted, you’d be too strong to stop, hah-”

Dear. Stop.” Hisashi finally cut off, spinning to the couch where Toshinori and Izuku sat.

At some point during his rant, Toshinori had transformed and curled into a ball, nestled up against the teen’s thigh as he sullenly watched the man pace.

“Oh, Toshi. I’m sorry.” He reached out and ran a hand over Toshinori’s back, smoothing fur down. “I can’t stand people turning away when someone needs help. It’s- why say you care about someone if you’re willing to let them hurt themself?” His expression went distant for a moment, flat. “It’s disgusting.”

Toshinori shoved his head against the man’s hand. He didn’t blame the man for being upset. Didn’t blame Osamu or Kenichi for abandoning him, either, really, because he knew full well now that he hadn’t been alright, had let himself rot and pushed them all away with his own mistakes-

But he knew that wasn’t something to say.


There was a crowd outside the classroom for 1-A, and Toshinori blinked in confusion at the gaggle of students. Hardly any of them were familiar, although he could pick out some from 1-B, and his brow creased when he caught sight of Tokage-chan standing in the doorway with her face drawn into a scowl, one hand conspicuously holding a knife to the other wrist. He eyed it with disapproval, was about to step forward, when he finally caught the strain of conversation from the front of the mob.

“-Your high horses just because you’ve seen some action, so I thought, why not knock you down by the knees?”

Toshinori froze, felt a snarl creep onto his face. The audacity-

“I’d hoped students at a school as prestigious as Yuuei wouldn’t have such an abhorrent mindset, but it appears I was wrong.” The mob jolted, some spinning quickly to face him while others flinched and turned slowly, guiltily. The ringleader hunched his shoulders, unruly head turning to look over his shoulder at him. Toshinori made it easier for them all and pushed through the crowd, coming to a stop between the two groups.

He peered into the classroom and could see Izuku and Iida-kun standing closely behind Tokage-chan, Izuku wearing an expression he easily recognised. It was the same one he had worn when he came home that first day he had stood up to Bakugou, the one that said he was terrified but ready to throw down. Toshinori scowled and turned back to the crowd at large.

“Tell me, children, what is there to brag about almost dying? Are your fellow students in any way acting like being attacked is something to be proud about? Show off?” He paused, letting his stare flatten. “Just why do you all seem to believe it’s an achievement? Would you have preferred to be in their place, terrified for your lives and worried for your classmates and teachers, certain you may die any moment?”

The hallway was dead silent. He let his eyes fall back to the main speaker with purple hair and familiar eyes. Moved closer a step, so the boy knew he was talking to him.

“Being a hero isn’t a competition, or some giant show. Neither is combat. It is dangerous. Life-threatening, at times. I don’t know where you picked up that erroneous idea-” You’re a person, not some actor - he flinched- “-but nothing good will come from it. Being a hero is about saving lives and bettering society. It would do you well to remember that.” He lifted his head, speaking to the crowd. “It would do you all well to remember that. Now go back to your classes before I make sure you all have detention for harassing your schoolmates.”

The crowd quivered, and someone finally dredged up the courage to speak, yelping out in a quivering voice, “Just who are you to boss us around? What do you know?”

Toshinori gave them a smile and pulled out his business card. “Yagi Toshinori. All Might’s secretary.”

The crowd dispersed faster than fire in a forest. He grabbed the ringleader’s shoulder before he could slip away as well, giving him a hard stare. “Not you, young man. What’s your name?”

He glared, but it was nothing to Toshinori who’d faced down beings that could barely be called human. Eventually he sighed and muttered in a bitter voice, “Shinsou Hitoshi. I’m in the General Education department.”

Toshinori baulked, because he knew that name and it was solely because Aizawa-kun liked to fret about his depressed nephew when there was seemingly no one else in the staffroom.

Of course, Toshinori only heard because he tended to hide in one of the cupboards and sleep on the towels in there, but that wasn’t important.

He closed his eyes and grimaced. “Alright. You’re coming with me, and we’re going to talk to Aizawa-sensei.”

He ignored the teen’s choked-off noise of panic. If Shinsou-kun didn’t want to deal with consequences, he shouldn’t have been this flippant in the first place.

Aizawa-kun gave Toshinori a look of suspicion and Shinsou-kun a look of resigned worry when he appeared in the staff room with the boy. When Toshinori tried to explain why they were there, Aizawa-kun cut him off with a sharp motion, turning to Shinsou-kun with a dangerous expression.

Toshinori left them to it and went back to 1-A. The students would need some calming down, or else the more unruly ones would start a rivalry between departments.


“...Toshinori.”

“What?”

“You got us tickets for one of the biggest events in Japan.” Toshinori shrugged uneasily, erasing his email draft and starting again. Across from him, Hisashi and Inko sat around her laptop, staring at the confirmation message. “ Toshinori .”

“It’s Izuku’s first debut, isn’t it? I shouldn’t be the only one watching it up close.”

Izuku, having been well-aware of just what he had done beforehand, grinned at Toshinori when he was caught in a giant hug, two pairs of arms squeezing the life of him. The blond only laughed helplessly and let Hisashi cackle into his side.


Toshinori fidgeted and fought the urge to bulk up again, debated if he really wanted to do this. Osamu had recommended the boy, yes, and he trusted his judgement, but…

Passing on One for All in such a way, solely on another’s word, rubbed him the wrong way, not to mention logistics . There was the training the boy would have to go through if he decided it, questions of whether it would be safe with his current Quirk, how to explain it to parents, since he already had one. And what the boy thought of it all- did he even have an inkling of just why he was being called here?

A knock on the door shook him out of his thoughts, and he called out, “Come in!” as cheerfully as he could. Toogata-kun, when he stepped in, looked as easy-going as his Identification picture, even as his steps slowed at the sight of Toshinori.

“Hello! I was told to meet All Might-sensei here?”

Toshinori smiled and nodded. “Yes. It’s nice to meet you, Toogata-kun.”

He waited for the realisation to dawn; it didn’t take long. The young man finally took in Toshinori, from his bright blond hair to the blue eyes and giant build. “You… You’re All Might?” His expression brightened, smile springing back to its grin. “It’s great to meet you, sir! I’ve always looked up to you, and Kuga-sensei always talks highly about you!”

Toshinori blinked. That. Had not been the reaction he was expecting. Denials and spluttering maybe, or something in line with how Izuku reacted. “Er, thank you, my boy. Why don’t you sit down? I’d like to discuss some things with you.”

He talked about… trivial things, in the scheme of it all, first. How Toogata-kun’s classes were, how he handled his Quirk, what circuit he was planning to go into. Why he had applied to Yuuei, why he wanted to be a hero. His friends, his teachers, his family.

“All Might-sensei, excuse me for being blunt, but why did you want to speak to me? It seems like y’want to hear my life story, right now.” Toshinori, stirring his tea, slowed, glancing up at the teen.

“Yes, I suppose it may seem a bit strange, without context.” He sighed, running a hand through his hair. “There is… quite a bit of history behind why I asked you here, Toogata-kun. I suppose the best place to begin would be this: My Quirk is a transferable one, and I have been looking for a successor.”

Toogata-kun stared and dropped his mug. Toshinori smiled wryly and got on with it.

He refused to consider the boy as a successor until he knew all he was getting into, after all.

 

“...That’s a lot to take in, sir.” Toshinori hummed, placing a plate of sandwiches on the table. Toogata took one, nibbling on an edge. “You said Kuga-sensei- recommended me, to you?”

“More or less,” He agreed, “He said that you showed promise, after having worked with you this past year. I said I would look into it, so here we are.”

Toogata-kun grimaced, hand going up to his hair in an aborted movement. “That’s- it’s-” He cocked his head. “Is it weird that I appreciate he thought I was... Worthy, but uh.”

“Don’t want it,” Toshinori concluded. Toogata-kun nodded in relief.

“Don’t get me wrong sir, I’m honoured you considered me, especially since I know the past few years haven’t the best for me. But I’ve come this far on my own Quirk, and the sweat and tears I’ve put into it; I don’t want to rely on someone’s else’s hard work to progress. And…” He paused. “You don’t seem like you really want to pass it on, either, sir.”

Toshinori blinked and sat back.

Did he?

...Truly, the only reason for its existence was to defeat All for One, and even if the man wasn’t dead as he previously thought, well... Hisashi summed it up frequently, whenever he was particularly annoyed. Toshinori wasn’t the only one who could take him down, and whoever had this Quirk didn’t need to shoulder that burden either.

“...No. No, I suppose not.” He said slowly. Toshinori smiled at the boy, lighter, buoyant. “I suppose that’s settled, then. Why don’t we talk about something less serious? Tell me, Toogata-kun, how is O-Kuga doing these days?”


Izuku was waiting outside when they finally left the tiny office, only a few minutes left in the school day. He startled at Toogata-kun when he caught sight of him before perking up.

“Oh! You’re Lemillion, aren’t you? Your hair and eyes give you away. Sir Nighteye talks about you a lot- is it true you can control your Quirk enough to isolate it to certain areas and limbs? How long did it take you to reach that level of control? Can you-”

“You must be Izuku.” Toshinori closed his eyes and fought the urge to chuckle as Izuku went bright red, cutting himself off. Toogata-kun didn’t seem to mind, if his easygoing grin meant anything. “Kuga-sensei mentioned you, too; he seems pretty interested in your Quirk analysis. You want to know how mine works?”

They walked to the gates as Izuku rambled and Mirio explained. Toshinori let the noise wash over him and silently gave his own stamp of approval to the boy; he may not give him this Quirk, but that wouldn’t stop him from growing into a fine hero.


Toshinori blew on the cups, watching steam waft from their rims. The coffee was fresh from the pot, with about as much creamer and sugar as he could humanely put into one mug- hopefully Naomasa wouldn’t ask for more.

He was definitely going to ask for more.

He pushed open the office door with his hip, smiling at the sight of the detective bent over his desk. “Your husband seems to think you’re going to coop yourself up in here all night.”

“Maybe I wouldn’t have to if you heroes didn’t generate so much paperwork,” The man snarked back. He sighed and leaned back, running a hand through his hair. “There’s just so much security detail going into this festival. It makes me wonder why they even bother making it public.”

Toshinori hummed, passing off the cup of sugary death. “From what I’ve heard from the more experienced staff, it’s a requirement for state funding. Show off that the students are making progress, I suppose, and that funds aren’t wasted.”

Naomasa gave him a deadpan stare. He only shrugged, sipping at his own coffee. Useless, since it was decaffeinated, but still good.

His own work was completed, what little papers he assigned graded and the reports for the day finished. It was remarkably easier now that he had the energy to do them; before, it was a trial to even start, after his patrols. He took another sip of his coffee and marked that down as “another thing that should have been a sign he was a mess,” with a wince. Great times, let’s never tell the Midoriyas.

“Do you think I could help any? I still have an hour before I need to be home for dinner.” Naomasa shook his head, waving the hero off.

“No, no, just call in Sansa for me. It’s mostly just organisation from this point out.” He paused, eyeing Toshinori carefully. “How is it, by the way? I haven’t asked, since you’ve seemed happy, but I know it must be a drastic change.”

“Oh, it is.” Toshinori shouldered his bag, thought about waking up to the sounds of other people, having someone to come home to, talk to, complain at. Getting annoyed at Inko for hogging the bathroom and feeling touched when Izuku made sure his things were gathered for the school day. His lips cocked up into a smile. “It… It’s like night and day.”

He looked at his friend, the blooming happiness on his face, and fiddled with the strap of his bag, a thought, possibility coming to his mind. He opened and closed his mouth, the recent visit fresh in mind, but… It couldn’t go too bad, could it? That was… an outlier. A byproduct of uncontrolled factors and him not thinking through the setting.

“I… they actually encouraged me to meet up with the old crowd.”

“That’s great! Have you approached anyone yet?”

“Only my old teacher. I’ve sort of, hah, lost my ways of contact with everyone else…” Naomasa gave him a knowing look as he trailed off.

“You realise me passing off information that sensitive would usually get me written up?”

Toshinori smiled mischievously. “That’s not a no.”

Naomasa laughed and shook his head. “Well. It’s you. It’s not like you’ll be running off to give it to villains. Who did you have in mind?”

Toshinori went home with the personal contact information for seven professionals in the hero circuit. When he opened the door, he could hear the sounds of Inko complaining about a client, and something frying on the stove.

He smiled and went to put his things away. Izuku would need help sorting through his supplies for tomorrow, and it wouldn’t do to let him get distracted from dinner.


The morning of the Sports Festival dawned with Izuku having a panic attack.

Toshinori had managed to fall asleep on the couch with Hisashi next to him, the scientist’s laptop dead in front of them. He’d been offering advice on armouring costumes thanks to his firsthand experience, as well as debating tweaks to Izuku’s. The boy had suggested some after the recent attack, and they had been adding adjustments right up until they dozed off.

He had woken up to stuttered breaths and the sound of someone trying to quickly hurry to the bathroom without being heard. He tilted his head up from where it’d fallen to Hisashi’s head, perking one ear up as he glanced over the sofa. The sight of the bathroom door silently closing had him pursing his lips and gently dislodging Hisashi, standing as smoothly as he could. He padded over on silent paws, slowing at the sound of muffled gasps.

“Izuku?” There was a sound like a cutoff whine, someone shuffling before quickly stilling, and he sighed. “Izuku, I know you’re in there.” No response. He frowned and grabbed the door knob, exaggerating his movements so the boy could stop him if he wanted. When he pushed it open, he saw Izuku sitting on the toilet, elbows on his knees and head between his knees. He sat down, settling on the tile in front of the teen; didn’t speak, just rubbed the boy’s back and kept close, letting him slowly calm down.

When Izuku did finally speak, it was in a small voice, hysterical and watery. “I’m, I’m going to be in front of millions . They’re all going to see and they’re going, I’m gonna screw up , Toshi-nii, I’ll be a wreck and it’ll be obvious I’m Quirkless and I- the-”

“Izuku, Izuku . Calm down, it’ll be alright,” He murmured, shushing the boy. “Isn’t that what you wanted? For it to be obvious?”

I didn’t think about the fact I would have to bare my soul to the world this soon. ” Toshinori winced and hesitated before reaching out and cupping his boy’s chin, tilting his face up. He let himself bulk up, watched Izuku’s eyes widen.

“What did I tell you back when you asked if I thought you could be a hero?”

“...That you knew I could be. As long as I stayed determined.” Izuku’s lip quivered. “That you- you didn’t know anyone more worthy of being a hero.”

“Are you saying I’m a liar?”

Izuku shook his head silently. Toshinori let himself deflate, steam curling around them.

“Then don’t focus on what people might say or think. Focus on showing them all the hero you’re going to be.”

Izuku gave him a tremulous smile. He’d take it.


By eight, they were all piled into the van Hisashi had pulled out of nowhere, the man taking the driver’s seat before any of them had even opened their doors. Toshinori glanced at Izuku in question, who shook his head.

“Mom gets road rage,” He murmured. Toshinori eyed Inko and decided he was good with Hisashi driving.

“Do you have everything? Uniform, supplies? Tonfa?”

“I still don’t get why I need those, it’s only been three weeks-”

“Some training is better than no training. You have your cellphone? We need to be able to find you after, it’s going to be hectic.”

Yes, dad, can we go, please-”

“Alright, alright!” Hisashi rolled his eyes in the rearview mirror, starting up the car.

Toshinori spent the next twenty minutes pressed into the carseat having flashbacks to the time Kenichi drove him to his apartment across town. Why were Inko and Izuku completely calm holy shit HISASHI THAT YELLOW LIGHT IS NOT A SIGNAL TO SPEED UP-

Toshinori almost kissed the ground when they finally pulled into the reserved parking. They bustled through the student and faculty entrance, Izuku hurrying off after hugs and well wishes. Toshinori watched him disappear round the corner, pockets bulging and tonfa strapped to his hips.

“He’s going to end up causing another incident.”

“Oh, definitely. But no worse than a Support student would.” Hisashi took one of his arms, grinning up at him. “So, big guy, where are we sittin’?”


Toshinori winced and made a noise of sympathy. He had forgotten about the year representative speech. Down on the stage, Izuku fidgeted with his hands with a distinctly deer-in-headlights look, staring at the crowds watching. Slowly, his expression shifted, firming into something resolute.

“I-” He cleared his throat, shaking his head. “Today is a day where we can all show our potential, whether that means our strength, intelligence, or innovation, regardless of Department, and the day w-where we tell the world we have arrived.” The teen turned to his peers, bowing slightly. “So let’s give it our all and mark the start of our legacies!”

A roar rose up from the bleachers, and Toshinori noted the considering expressions crossing some faces. Good . Maybe that would keep their attention.

Without further ado, the obstacle race began. Toshinori winced at the usual glut at the opening gate, everyone pushing and the more resourceful making their way over and under. Many of the Hero Department students made it through quickly even with that and other hazards- clever Todoroki, icing the path- and right into the path of the zero pointers. He watched the heterochromatic boy ice them as well, leaving them to collapse in front of and on the others, watched Izuku slow for an instant as they teetered and pull something out of his pocket-

Hisashi, you fucking didn’t.

Toshinori groaned and flinched as Izuku threw the grenade, sliding between the legs of one of the robots right as it detonated. The debris went flying across the track, creating more havoc, obstacles, pitfalls.

MIDORIYA, WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT THE GRENADES? ” Izuku stumbled, visibly flinched as he kept running, but Aizawa’s reprimand apparently didn’t stop him pulling out another and throwing it just as he fucking jumped on it.

Using debris as as a sled didn’t make this any better, Izuku .

Kurofuka-kun asked if he was alright. Toshinori made a strangled noise and tugged on his bangs in lieu of responding.

“Is this my fault? Did he pick that up from me? I’ve been careful lately, Jesus shit Inko is going to kill us -” He winced again as Izuku landed on one of the islands and quickly crossed to the minefield, metal plate tossed over the pit.

He put his head in his hands when he sent the damn thing sailing like a frisbee onto the field and kicked off a chain reaction of explosions, clearing a path.

“Ara, Midoriya-kun sure is… creative.”

Toshinori made a strangled noise and listened to Yamada declare Todoroki and Bakugou as first and second place, followed by Izuku in third.

“A better term would be ‘ completely reckless ’, Kurofuka-kun.”


Toshinori sighed and doubled back on his route, squinting at the message Hisashi had sent. “By the vending machines” was all well and good, but there were about three different spots like that . Maybe he should just try and find Izuku, keep the boy calm before the next event. He was about to round the corner but paused when he heard speaking, cocking his head.

“-mom was always crying... She told me my left side was abhorrent- dumped boiling water on me so she wouldn’t have to look at it anymore.”

Toshinori’s blood turned to ice. He peeked around carefully, caught sight of Todoroki-kun standing in front of Izuku. Listened to the boy disown his father and Quirk and felt that he had missed something majour, in between his school years, isolation, and beginning teaching.

Just when had Todoroki Enji gone from unpleasant and loud to abusing his wife and children?

Shakily, he messaged Inko and asked if any of the attorneys at her office specialized in domestic violence and child abuse. She responded by hunting him down using the tracking chip in his phone (wow he didn’t know those were built in that would have made the last ten minutes much easier-) and forcing him into a chair in an empty room.

“Explain. Now.” Her voice was carefully calm. He flinched anyways and outlined what he overheard, what he knew of both Todoroki senior and junior. Inko closed her eyes and went into the hallway while Hisashi, quietly sitting on a couch, rubbed a hand over his face and looked his age for the first time in a year.

“It’s always the parents,” He mumbled, seemingly to himself. He glanced up, saw Toshinori watching, and smiled bitterly. “You know, from the moment that man married her, I knew he was in it for her Quirk? It was obvious just from the way he spoke.” Hisashi picked at his nails, lips peeling back into a snarl. “My grandfather had ranted about it enough for me to notice, at least.”

“...” Toshinori turned  carefully, clearing his throat. “Is he the reason you’re so… adamant, on certain things?”

Hisashi stared at him before averting his gaze, instead watching Inko furiously talk in the hallway. “My grandfather,” He said slowly, “Was the sort of man who couldn’t connect to people, and could only focus on his work and passions. Which didn’t include family or friends. It’s a wonder he managed to even rope my grandmother in, considering how he was.” He smiled, if that expression could truly be called such.

“He’d ignore a problem, or throw money at it, or spin it so it sounded like it was our fault, some personal failing. Made my life a field of eggshells until I hightailed it the fuck out of there after finding Dad in the bathtub.”

Toshinori opened and closed his mouth. “That’s…”

“Yeah.” Hisashi rolled his shoulders, laughing slightly. “You know, I don’t even know that much about him? He would just pop in every few weeks and completely ruin our lives. The most I ever got out of him in actual conversation was that his brother had been Quirkless. I’m pretty sure he only told me because we all thought I had been Quirkless, like knowing the relative I’d never heard of before was the same would help any.”

Toshinori ignored the uneasiness that went down his spine and reached out, taking the man by the shoulders and dragging him close. Hisashi huffed a laugh against his collarbone, patting his shoulder fondly.

“I’m fine, big guy. Just unpleasant to remember. Why don’t we leave Inko to it and try and find Izuku?”

They found Izuku watching the girls of 1-A summarily pummel Mineta with a mildly disturbed expression. When Hisashi asked what the hell happened- and Toshinori went to go separate them and make sure they didn’t send the boy to the hospital- he explained the cheerleader costumes the girls were wearing.

Toshinori sighed and resolved for another intervention . Goddamn, did these children have problems.


Toshinori listened to people in the crowds debate Izuku’s Quirk as he was caught by a strip of Sero’s tape, struggling and whacking it with a tonfa.

He. Didn’t know exactly what that would accomplish, but he wasn’t the one down there, so he sat back and watched, trusting the boy to succeed. He’d done well enough with Tokoyami, after all, for all that match only lasted about three minutes.

Poor boy had instantly used those weaknesses they’d guarded against in the second round against Tokoyami. The avian teen didn’t stand a chance against his flashbangs.

(Izuku why were they neon green as well what need is there for that-)

“Do you think he’s waiting to use it in the final rounds?”

“Maybe it’s too dangerous for sparring.”

“Maybe it’s too weak.

Izuku finally… did what he was trying to, Toshinori supposed; the tonfa caught on the sticky side of Sero’s tape and Izuku tugged it away, quickly winding it round the weapon then tossing it at the other boy. Sero yelped as it struck him in the face and stuck and he reached up, trying to tear it away. Izuku took the chance to tackle him.

“Does he even have one?”

“Of course he does, what are you, stupid?” Toshinori snorted. Stupid, indeed.

Sero jabbed a knee into Izuku’s stomach and sent him flying. Izuku responded by pulling out something round and huge, tossing it into the air. Sero scrambled back, but apparently , the two scientists of the family had expanded the range of their tiny bombs, and the brunet wasn’t spared from the massive shower of glittery sludge that covered the arena.

“MIDORIYA, WHAT THE HELL, MAN!?” Oh, that was audible all the way up here. Izuku might have responded as he bodily hauled his classmate, still scrubbing at his eyes, but they couldn’t hear it, and thus, only watched with increasing fervor as Izuku tossed him out the ring.

AND THERE’S OUR FIRST WIN OF THE SECONDARY MATCHES, MIDORIYA IZUKU AGAINST SERO HANTA! WE’LL SEE WHO OUR INTREPID LITTLE DEMOLITIONIST GOES UP AGAINST IN THE NEXT MATCH OF BAKUGOU KATSUKI AND URARAKA OCHAKO!

Toshinori nearly fell over the railing with how quickly he stood, marching over and peering at the match board. His heart dropped to the void in his chest as he stared at it, names stark black against white.

Fuck.

Chapter 9

Notes:

did u know stress can fuck with you so bad you cant even write something u planned out for almost two months

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Iida-kun blinked at him, blue and red phone case in hand. “He said he had to go to the bathroom, sir. Has something happened?”

Toshinori smiled and reassured him everything was fine, that he just wished to speak to Izuku about his gadget use and safety. When he was out of sight, climbing the stairs, he clenched the railing hard enough to leave imprints.


Hisashi punched a wall and cursed, glaring at nothing. Inko worriedly looked on, murmuring to herself about Izuku, if he was safe, if he was panicking. Toshinori could only hope the boy wasn’t hiding in one of the toilets or a stairwell, hyperventilating into his knees. Considering the last time-

Last time, gods, why hadn’t they stopped to think? Just because the trouble had passed and he was getting better didn’t mean everything was alright, that he’d be able to- to do something like this. Toshinori groaned and shook his head.

“We- they need to switch the matches up, or pause them, or-”

“If they did that, it would call attention to it,” Toshinori cut in. Hisashi’s eyes snapped to him, embers escaping his lips. “People would wonder why. They’re already wondering if Izuku is weak in some way since he hasn’t used a Quirk, and it won’t be long before they all recognise him as one of the students from the attack last year. If they switch up the matches, there’ll be calls of favoritism and weakness first, and then criticism of Izuku next.”

The trio sat heavily in the silence, tense. “So it’s letting them mob him or watching him self-destruct,” Hisashi muttered finally.

“Can’t we trust him to get through this?” Inko finally spoke up, glancing between the two of them. “I know he’s still got some way to come, but…”

“Inko, he had a panic attack this morning just thinking about people knowing he was Quirkless,” Toshinori replied tiredly. Both of them looked horrified at that, and he shrugged his shoulders, running a hand over his face.

Some choice they had.


“No, we won’t be able to do anything.” Kan sighed, leaning against the wall. “It’s like you said- it’d draw too much attention; there’s already enough on those two as it is with them being villain attack victims, and Midoriya not showcasing a Quirk. The best we can do…”

“Break them up if it gets too violent?”

Kan nodded with a grimace.

“If it helps any, I’ve been working on Bakugou-kun’s anger issues alongside Midnight. He’s certainly no spring daisy, but he’s less of a hazard to those around him, now.” He glanced at the Midoriyas standing to the side, Hisashi tense as a bowstring and Inko rubbing her hands together. The grimace he wore slid into a frown, and slowly, he bowed.

“I apologise for not being able to stop this, sir, ma’am. We should have been able to plan ahead for this and prevent it, and now your son...” Inko looked between him and Toshinori, hesitated, then walked up to Kan, shaking her head as she pulled him from his bow.

“Can you guarantee me you’ll stop it the moment it goes from a competition to a brawl?” Kan blinked and nodded. “Then you’ll be doing a far sight better than the previous teachers he’s had.”

Kan didn’t look reassured by that. Toshinori didn’t know how to explain just how low the bar was with this family, so he pat him on the back instead as the Midoriyas re-entered their own little bubble.


They’d missed two matches during their run-around, the third already in progress. According to the screen overlooking the arena, Bakugou-kun had managed to defeat Uraraka-chan, and Shinsou-kun had won his and Kirishima-kun’s match. Toshinori grimaced as he glanced down at the arena, Iida-kun trying to avoid blasts of ice while Todoroki-kun’s expression went flatter and flatter. The boys were both skilled, comfortable in their bodies, but it was obvious already that Todoroki would win, freezing the the other’s engines out.

He wondered how long ago the boy had decided to never use his fire. He decided the answer was likely something he didn’t want to know. Suddenly, gut-punchingly, his phone vibrated, and he hurried to check it, nearly dropping the damn thing as he activated the screen.

I’ll be okay. That was all it read. Toshinori curled his fingers around the phone, gripped it tight, cracks appearing round the edges-

He let go of the phone. It fell into his lap. Next to him, Kan placed a hand on his shoulder and asked what was wrong. Down below, Todoroki-kun stared up at the crowd as they cheered, Iida-kun lying on his side out of bounds.

“Please god, let him be out of grenades.”


Izuku was nervous down in the arena. It was obvious in his stance, hunched over slightly as he clasped his hands tight enough to turn them white; obvious in his face, expression pinched and eyes just this side of glazed. Across from him, Bakugou-kun was stiff-lipped, glaring. But he was silent. Didn’t speak a word as Present Mic screeched about the odds, as Midnight looked between them with a grim expression and finally, decisively waved the flag.

The next few moments played out almost like snapshots. Bakugou's expression pulled into a snarl and he shifted his feet as though preparing to charge. Izuku's expression went flat, flatter, and he reached behind himself and flicked his hand, tossing something between them.

There was an explosion- screams, because oh, it was different somehow when it came from a weapon and not his hands- not that he approved, lord in heaven Izuku - before everyone paused, smoke, well.

Smoke turning out to be a violent froth of bubbles.

"D-" Bakugou-kun cut himself off, glared at Izuku and tried to hide what was quickly looking to be fury as the smaller teen leapt forward and began to attack with his tonfa.

The crowd was murmuring in confusion as Bakugou-kun parried, punched and kicked at the other but didn't use his Quirk despite all the slaps and snaps he made, until suddenly Aizawa's voice was ringing out.

" Nitroglycerin, the main component of Bakugou’s sweat, is neutralized by lye, a component found in soap, for those not aware of chemistry ."

Oh.

... Oh .

Izuku had just. Shifted the playing field in one instant. Because Bakugou-kun may have had the same sparring training, be taller and more muscular, but-

Izuku's tonfa landed a square hit on Bakugou's side, making him double over wheezing. Toshinori winced. But he didn't have firepower beyond his Quirk.

It was clear now that Izuku was winning, would win if he could just tire the blond out, but. Something was wrong. He could see it in the flatness of Izuku's expression on camera, the jerkiness of his movements.

When Izuku caught Bakugou's fist and yanked him nose-first into the end of his tonfa, he realised that a panic attack wasn't the only thing they should have worried about.

Shit. He's gone into fight or flight mode. He's not going to stop until Bakugou's down.

He shot up before pausing, wavering, because what could he do? The crowd around him winced, muttered as Izuku became more and more relentless, Bakugou-kun slower and slower. What could he do?

Well.

There was always one thing that always caught Izuku’s attention.

Toshinori sucked in a deep breath, had the pleasure of learning just how it felt to feel his organs twitching and adjusting in his chest, and screeched as loud as he could, louder than he had at the brats who’d been harassing Izuku. The people around him jumped and down in the arena, he could see both boys snap to attention, Izuku blinking rapidly and glancing around in confusion.

He didn’t stick around to sigh in relief. It only took an instant to transform and hide under Kan’s chair, shrugging at the man when he peered underneath in confusion. He shuffled until he could look through the gap between his legs, squinting to see. The crowd was still confused, Yamada-kun writing it off as some prank to distract the competitors and wasn’t that DIRTY, trying to throw the results just because they didn’t like Midoriya’s style, but the boys had gone right back to it after the interruption. Izuku had dropped his tonfa, which was. Slightly relieving, and meant they wouldn’t need to treat Bakugou-kun for a concussion, likely.

He winced as Bakugou-kun drove his fist into Izuku’s stomach, sending him sprawling. That didn’t mean this would be any easier to watch. Izuku rolled to avoid a foot coming down on his stomach, grabbed a shin to drag the blond with and send him toppling to the side and leapt up before Bakugou-kun could recover from the impact, tugging out a familiar canister. Toshinori watched him deploy the net over Bakugou-kun, grabbing the bolas at its ends and tossing the teen over the line.

It was… an “anticlimactic” ending after all their worry, even with the crowd roaring in both protest and excitement as Izuku stared out at them all. Yamada-kun was announcing the win, speculating who he would go up against next, but Toshinori didn’t pay attention as Izuku was ushered off to the side, barely having time to pick up his tonfa before he went to Chiyo.

Toshinori jumped through the stadium seats after him.


Izuku and Bakugou-kun were lead to separate rooms. Toshinori could hear the explosive teen swearing and snapping in the other room, just barely biting back threats as Chiyo scolded him for not using control in his attacks.

Every time his voice raised too high, Izuku flinched.

"Izuku..." Toshinori murmured, "I’m sorry. We should have- shouldn't have assumed separating you two would completely fix the problem."

Izuku stared ahead, frown just barely visible behind his knees. "I freaked out," He muttered, "Lost- blanked out and could only think of defending myself, keeping him from touching me or outing me and I- I went overboard." He finally looked at Toshinori, fearful. "Didn't I?"

... So quick to blame himself. He sighed, shifting his chair.

"...Recovery isn't easy, Izuku," Toshinori finally replied. "You take two steps forward and one step back, and that's- not a bad thing." He paused, looking down at his hands. "That’s what your father says, at least. It's not surprising that you panicked going up against your old abuser." He hesitated, a question coming to mind. “Just what did you do, when you disappeared before the match?”

“...Emptied out one of the distraction grenade casings and put in soap. Thought it’d be- useful.” Izuku was silent for a moment, sniffling. "What now, then?"

"Now? You rest some, and we see whoever will win Todoroki-kun and Shinsou-kun's match. And after all this, we'll talk about getting you help." He grimaced, remembering his promise.

"We both will."


When they went back to the arena, they realised there was no match to watch. Shinsou-kun stood placidly in the arena while Todoroki-kun was standing stunned outside the very edge of the boundary, eyes going more and more glazed.

Shit. Fucking goddamn, Enji-

" AND THAT'S TODOROKI SHOUTO OUT OF THE RUNNING THANKS TO SHINSOU HITOSHI'S MIND-BENDING QUIRK! THE LAST MATCH WILL PIT HIM AGAINST MIDORIYA IZUKU- WHO WILL WIN, THE BRAINWASHER OR THE SCIENTIST? "

Izuku paled next to him. Toshinori sighed, in both relief and resignation, because this would be more level, less a fight just for some ground like it would be against Todoroki-kun. But. Todoroki-kun . After all the- fervor, he had placed behind this festival, to be knocked out…

Toshinori sent a text to Aizawa-kun and Kan, that they would need to hunt the boy down and make sure he didn’t disappear- or worse, before Enji found him first. He hoped the urgency in his message would spur them into action. For now, all he could do was reach over and hug Izuku tight, whisper in his ear that he could do this, they believed in him, they loved him no matter what happened, they were proud already.

Izuku went onto the field wobbly, with wetness to his eyes, but a set to his shoulders that had been missing since the third match.

The two teens faced off as Midnight waved the flag, eyeing each other. There were some bruises visible on Shinsou-kun from where his opponents must have been able to grab him and fight before he could ensnare them; in comparison, Izuku was battered, wearing signs of his matches with Tokoyami, Sero, and Bakugou. He hoped he didn’t tire out too soon. And if he did, and was snared in that Quirk, well… Second place out of over three hundred students was still astounding.

Close as he was, Toshinori could hear what Shinsou-kun said as he tilted his head, feet shifting. “You’re the boy from the 1-A, the one who got on my ass. I’ve got to say, with how weak you look, I’m surprised you made it this far.”

Toshinori and Izuku both stiffened. The only thing keeping his lips from drawing back was the memory of Aizawa-kun explaining Shinsou’s Quirk, how it worked; it was no wonder the boy would say inflammatory things, if they got him the best reactions. But Izuku only wilted some before he shifted his tonfa in his grip, darting forward; Shinsou-kun dodged, grabbing one and twisting.

“And I’ve been wondering this whole tournament, why haven’t you used your Quirk? Is it some weak power? No better than that tail guy’s?” A flashbang, useless when Shinsou closed his eyes and ducked away; a swipe of the legs that Izuku skipped away from. “The gadgets too, wouldn’t those be cheating? It pisses me off.

“If you’re such a weakling, why did they allow you into the Heroics department?”

It’s none of your-! ” Izuku suddenly froze, and Toshinori sucked in a breath and watched him teeter on one foot; Shinsou’s eyes widened and he opened his mouth to say something, but Izuku fell to the ground before he could get out more than a Catch-!

Izuku yelped as he hit the ground face first, nose audibly cracking. He scrambled up quickly as Shinsou-kun swore and dove at him, setting it as carefully as he could. There was a glint in his eyes now, a burgeoning excitement in place alongside the offense. Toshinori wondered just where the hell he’d seen such a strange expression before remembering Oh , that’s what Hisashi had looked like when he suggested taking a break from an experimentation bender.

Dear god.

“Your Quirk- you need a verbal response to use it, don’t you? And- and some short of shock, or pain, negates it!” Shinsou swore again, looking at Izuku in disbelief as the boy grinned with blood dripping down his face. “That must be how you got one over Todoroki-san- you just riled him up, didn’t you?”

“How the hell did you figure that out with one attack!?”

“Maybe it’s because I’m not a weakling ?” Izuku scowled, even as he stopped-started while Shinsou tried to grab him with his Quirk. “Maybe Quirks aren’t everything, maybe I worked my ass off , and maybe YOU need to get off your HIGH HORSE just because you’ve dealt with some prejudice-

WHAT DO YOU KNOW?” Shinsou grabbed Izuku by the arm, flipped him over his back and slammed him into the ground. “I’VE HAD TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE CALLING ME A VILLAIN FOR TEN YEARS, TELLING ME I SHOULDN’T BOTHER TO TRY BEING A HERO, THAT-”

Izuku slammed his foot upward, right into Shinsou-kun’s groin. There was an echo of groans and tsks from the crowd while Shinsou went pale and stumbled, Izuku got up and grabbed him, leaned in and whispered something. Shinsou went paler as Izuku bodily dragged him, tried to struggle but was still reeling from the pain, until eventually, Izuku gently tipped him over to fall over the white line.

Izuku jumped as the stadium broke out into a roar, glancing around frantically as he panted. Toshinori grinned as he blinked and straightened, jaw dropping at his face on the big screen.

AND IT LOOKS LIKE OUR WINNER FOR THE YUUEI 2180 SPORTS FESTIVAL IS MIDORIYA IZUKU! THIS MARKS THE FIRST TIME A QUIRKLESS STUDENT HAS PLACED IN FIRST, MUCH LESS THE TOP THREE!

Two things happened. First, Izuku’s face went sickly white, legs trembling. Second, Toshinori’s phone buzzed, a message appearing onscreen.

Found Todoroki-kun. Endeavor found him first. Authorities have been called.


Todoroki-kun was missing from the awards ceremony, third place podium only occupied by a glaring and snarling Bakugou. Toshinori smiled at him as he slid the medal over the boy’s head, backing away some before he could do something as outlandish as he did in class.

“You need to learn to rely less on your Quirk, Bakugou-kun, and more on strategy. Remember what we’ve gone over in class.” The blond opened his mouth to respond before abruptly snapping it shut, looking away. He grunted instead. Toshinori would take it.

Next was Shinsou-kun, standing stiff and awkward under the attention of thousands. Toshinori slid the medal over his head and contemplated what to say, what would help.

“...I believe my secretary has already imparted an important lesson to you, my boy. Let me tell you another: To prove people wrong, sometimes you must show them they are wrong.” He grinned, pat the boy on the shoulder. “I am sure you will be a great hero, so long as you remember that and put your all into it.”

He moved onto Izuku while Shinsou-kun blinked rapidly, reeled from that. Izuku was- panicked-looking, glancing around as if waiting for someone to boot him from this spot, claim that he shouldn’t be there. And there certainly were people doing that, but, well. Yuuei’s security was some of the finest, and most were still reeling in shock.

He leaned close, slipping the medal round Izuku’s neck, and softened his smile to something more private, natural. “Congratulations, Izuku,” He murmured, “Didn’t I say you deserved to be a hero?”

Oh, there were the tears. He’d been wondering where those were.


Of course, not everything was simple and happy at the end of the day. Toshinori sighed as he and Izuku walked down the halls to the correct meeting room, knocking twice before someone called out for him to come in. Inside, two police officers sat with a tense Todoroki-kun, Inko, Kan, and Nedzu sitting in the silence with them. Naomasa-kun was with them, and shook his head when he saw Toshinori.

Well. They weren’t risking anything if they were using his Quirk.

When they walked in, Todoroki-kun shot Izuku a dark look, but it was mellow, softened by the shock he must still be in. And pain , Toshinori mused darkly, considering the red handprint wrapped around his upper arm. He likely didn’t expect anyone to…

To ever do this, he supposed. Toshinori knew not many looked past Enji’s temper. He certainly never had.

“Ah, Yagi-san, Midoriya-kun, you’re here. We can get started, then. Yagi-san, you were the one to first alert us to the situation?” The police officer taking charge of the situation was a placid man, watching him with slit eyes.

“Yes, sir. I, er, overheard what was intended to be a private conversation- my apologies, Todoroki-kun, I-Midoriya-kun- and heard things that raised multiple flags. Previous experiences in the classroom and my own experiences with Todoroki-san had me worried enough that I wasn’t willing to leave it alone.”

The police officer hummed, writing something on his tablet. “Do you have any other evidence than this?”

“...Todoroki Enji in general is evidence at this point, I’d say.” Toshinori huffed, running a hand through his hair. “Everytime he speaks about his family, it’s as though they’re tools, or weapons to surpass- my employer. If it’s not that, it’s barely mentioning them, or not caring that one of them has a scar that obviously didn’t heal right.” And he would know, should have known, that Todoroki- Shouto-kun’s scar hadn’t healed right. He’d seen the same taut skin on his own side, knew the boy should have gotten a skin graft but didn’t. The police officer hummed again.

“Tsukauchi?”

“My Quirk’s not picking anything up.” The officer nodded, finally glancing to Shouto-kun.

“What do you have to say about all this, Todoroki-kun? I don’t want to keep talking as though you’re not here.”

Shouto-kun looked at him blankly, blinking slowly. “...No one’s ever looked past ‘Number Two’ before.”

That was enough of an answer for the officer. He grimly bowed to them as they left, leaving them with… this. The six of them sat in silence for a moment before Inko cleared her throat, patting down her pockets before pulling a small card out. She pulled a pen out with it, writing something on the back, before handing it to Shouto-kun.

“That has my personal and office number,” She said kindly, making sure the boy’s fingers wrapped around it, “If you do go on with this, call my office, and we’ll do it pro bono. We always do with abuse cases. And if you need someone to speak to, whether it be me or Izukkun…” She shrugged one shoulder. “We’ll be here, Shouto-kun.”

The three of them ducked out as Aizawa-kun walked in, an exhausted tint to his face and tight set to his shoulders. He glanced at Toshinori as they left, and there was a glint there he couldn’t read, didn’t know if he wanted to.

The door closed behind them. Toshinori held his breath and hoped for the best.

Notes:

SO
SOME OF YOU MAY HAVE NOTICED THAT NEW RELATIONSHIP TAG!
After rereading Regrets so I could write this chapter and reviewing just what i as the author want out of this story, Im going to have to be “that person” and add a major relationship tag in media res
The pairings still arent going to be the main focus of the story, but they are going to be an important aspect, thanks to the themes of the story, and I didn't want it to be a surprise to future and current readers when it comes up.

that said, come yell with me! >> thelennystorm.tumblr.com / Hayoho#5163

Chapter 10

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The night after the festival, they all piled back into the car and drive home at a snail’s pace. Inko ended up talking on the phone most the trip, arguing back and forth with her partner at the firm- some fellow named Shun, who was apparently nice if a bit driven- while Hisashi drove. Izuku dozed in the back seat, leaning on Toshinori’s shoulder.

Toshinori kept his gaze focused out the window, watching traffic be directed to prevent jams. Most faces were enthusiastic, pleased. He wondered what people thought of Yamada-kun’s- lovely announcement, Izuku’s performance. He’d gotten through the tournament on his wits alone, had done better than the students with Quirks.

Toshinori glanced down at Izuku and smiled, brushing a lock of hair away from his face. He’d proved his old classmates wrong.


People were calling Izuku's win into question, because of course they were. Insisting he must have cheated in some way or was given an easier time thanks to his "handicap". Toshinori regarded them all with extreme distaste, and ignored any reporters who brought it up on patrols. The only thing he would say was that all the winners in the tournament were promising students worthy of respect.

Nedzu wasn't as vague in his reply to the media lashback.

"While not having an inborn ability like his classmates, Midoriya Izuku has proven time and time again his Quirklessness is not a hindrance to his functioning as a hero, and even shows more promise than some thanks to mind." Nedzu smiled at the reporters, sickly sweet despite the warning bells ringing in minds. "Not to mention many heroes could be seen as functionally Quirkless. If we question Midoriya-kun's ability to perform, we should also question Selkie's, Hawk's, and my own."

His answer shifted attention from Izuku to what exactly could be considered a Quirk and what was a mutation. No doubt his intention to stir trouble and start debate.

And people wondered why so many in the hero circuit were nervous around the Principal; it was like standing next to a viper ready to strike.


The other teachers were staring at him in disbelief and he could feel nervousness, regret crawling into his thoughts, but Toshinori kept his face calm as he sipped his tea.

"...All Might, you can't be serious." It was Aizawa-kun who spoke up first, sitting up from his slouch with a frown. "I know you've seemingly wanted to prove you're not your persona since beginning teaching, but barring students from the work studies won't solve anything."

They were in the teachers' meeting room going over the offers from the Sports Festival, compiling them so students would be able to choose from theirs or a general list of popular agencies. Toshinori had Izuku's sitting in front of him. It was barely any larger than Kirishima’s or Iida’s.

Sighing, Toshinori held up a hand, counting off his fingers. "Todoroki Shouto is currently trying to escape an abusive household and the mentality he built in it, Midoriya Izuku is facing media lashback and frequently experiences self-doubt and panic attacks, Yaoyorozu Momo is cripplingly self-conscious, Mineta Minoru is hypersexual with no known cause- which is worrying and should be investigated, may I say- Iida Tenya just had his brother put in the hospital, and Monoma Neito has an extreme superiority or inferiority complex that has lead to isolation among his classmates. There are more, but I doubt I need to continue."

Aizawa and Kan both had tight expressions. Toshinori patiently waited for a response, from them or the others. He’d thought this over extensively, even brought it up with Inko and Hisashi after they’d arrived home last night, and they both agreed. Throwing unstable teenagers into the fray of heroics wasn’t a good idea, even if they weren’t going to be up in the face of any villains just yet; with some of them, it was even asking for disaster.

“But... well, some of those- aren’t they just things they have to work through on their own…? Obviously, Todoroki-kun and Iida-kun are exceptions with their unique situations, but students like Yaoyorozu and Midoriya will naturally move on. Putting a pause on something like the work studies won’t change that.” Toshinori sighed and shook his head at Yamada-kun’s words, because while it may have been true to some extent, it wasn’t his point.

“Sure, yes, let’s say they will. But we’re expecting them to do this while learning how to be figures that uphold the public and don’t show weakness, loading at least thrice the workload of normal teenagers on them, with the only attempts we make to help them being trials by fire or separation from others. That isn’t the way to make sure they all come out of this successfully .” He looked out at them all, frowning. “I don’t know about you, but whether I like a student or not, I do wish to see them succeed.”

The room was silent again, expressions conflicted. Finally, Nedzu stirred, speaking up for the first time since Toshinori started the argument.

“I don’t believe it would be conducive to completely postpone the internships, no matter the issues among the current student body. I have an idea in mind that may work though, and satisfy us all.”


The thing was, Toshinori had watched the students closely these past two months, listened to them as they talked during free periods and before the start of classes. He’d picked up the cues in their assignments, small tics in their spars. With the Sports Festival, Izuku and Bakugou-kun and Shouto-kun, it had brought to mind the fact that some of those things shouldn’t be left to fester .

Look at where ignoring something or waiting for it to get better had put him, after all.


The class was looking at their lists with some confusion, flipping through pages and murmuring about the… pointedness of some of the names, disparity between amount of offers and list lengths.

“I’m sure some of you may notice that your offers feature less than you may expect, or names you may not have heard of. However, these lists were made with your strengths and weaknesses in mind, and are intended to ensure you grow during your work study as well as observing normal hero work.” Aizawa-kun’s voice was bored, his usual tired drawl, but Toshinori could see the alertness to his eyes. “Feel free to pick one off the list; however, your choice will be reviewed by All Might, Midnight, or I beforehand.”

Some complained, of course. Toshinori could hear Mineta-kun wailing about there being no agencies run by “hot babes”, while Iida-kun flipped through his list with increasing urgency, searching for something in particular. He wouldn’t find what he was looking for, though. Any agencies in Hosu had been removed from his offers.

Toshinori grimaced when none of the children were looking and shot Aizawa-kun a look. It wasn’t going to be pleasant addressing that.


“Aizawa-sensei, why isn’t Endeavor Offices on any of our lists?”

“Endeavor is not accepting interns at this time due to internal restructuring. Mineta! Pick another name, no one’s going to want to go near a hero called ‘Ball Drop’.”


Reviewing turned out to be an exercise in patience, just as he thought.

“Kaminari-kun, going with an agency solely because their director looks cool is not wise decision-making. Consider instead if they can help you understand your Quirk more, or help you decide what sort of hero you wish to be.”

“Yaoyorozu-chan, why not go with someone who can give you the full experience? Uwabami isn’t quite suited to the sort of work you wish to do, and her Quirk is vastly different. Yes, I know she is popular, but that isn’t everything as a hero. If you wish to consider it as a factor, why not Fat Gum Offices?”

“Iida-kun-”

“All Might! I have a problem! The agency I wish to intern at is not on my list.” Toshinori paused, smile dimming some. Iida-kun looked tense, straining as though he wished to jump out of his seat.

“Oh? What agency is that, Iida-kun?”

“The Normal Hero, Manual, sir. He- he would provide me a balanced experience as a hero in an urban environment.”

“Iida-kun... Unfortunately, you cannot be allowed to train at his office due to its location.” Iida stopped, mouth frozen open. He stirred a moment later, sitting up straighter, voice raising.

“All Might-sensei, what do you mean-?”

“Your brother was attacked in the same city, Iida. While we would like to trust you, it isn’t sane to let you be in the same area. It’s risking impulsive acts and you running off to find the Hero Killer yourself.” Aizawa cut in, blunt as ever. He eyed Iida, eyes softening a tad as he added, “We understand being devastated and wanting retribution for what happened to your brother. However, we cannot risk the same happening to you too.”

Iida wavered before his eyes hardened. “Do you, sir? Really? The- the helplessness at not being able to do anything, watching him sit in the bed and just- have his whole career destroyed with one injury, have to listen to the doctors-”

Yes , Tenya, I do. As his friend for twenty years, I do . But I still know sentencing myself to death isn’t going to solve anything.”

Iida finally fell silent. He looked at Aizawa like he was just seeing him for the first time, just remembered who was sitting there. Aizawa carefully reached out, placing a hand on Iida’s arm. Quietly, Toshinori stood, leaving the room and them to it. Aizawa would be able to handle it from here.


"All Might. Yagi." Toshinori blinked and looked up from his phone. Kayama, Kan, and Aizawa-kun were standing in front of him, looking various levels of grim. "You mentioned during the meeting that some of the students need intervention if they're going to continue."

Ah. He set down his phone, scooting his chair back. The folder was squirreled away in his desk, filled to the brim with notes he'd taken with Inko's help. She'd been on a crusade when it came to improving his organisation and thought process, and it showed; The observations on the students were orderly, pointing out possible and present issues, weaknesses, strengths, and the like. He heaved it onto his desk and smiled wryly at their wide eyes.

"I suppose I became a bit more, er, keen during my recovery. Do you want to start with 1-A or 1-B?"


Toshinori tapped his fingers as he read over Izuku’s form and didn’t bother trying to hide his nervousness. Izuku himself was sitting across from him, fidgeting in his seat.

“I… I’ve been talking to him since the first time,” He said quietly, “And Mirio-senpai’s been telling me stories. His office seemed like a good idea, and he made an offer, so I thought- I don’t need to if you don’t want me to Toshi-nii, Nedzu-sensei is always an option-”

Toshinori shook his head, ignoring that last terrifying bit of Nedzu making an offer and dragging Izuku closer. The teen settled into the crook of his arm easily, leaning against his chest with a huff.

“You do your work study with who you want, Izuku. My hang ups shouldn’t impact your choices.” He glanced back at the choice form, tapping the first box. “If you wish to work with Osamu, work with him. He’s a good hero, for all that he can be a bit intimidating at first. Just get him to laugh and you’ll be fine.”

Izuku muttered something about Toogata-kun saying the same thing and sniffled, rubbing his face. Toshinori only shook his head and went back to the pile of forms, moving onto the next one. Tokoyami, he noted, who had elected to stay in-school and intern with Aizawa-kun. Hopefully he’d be prepared for the man’s schedule, since he mostly patrolled at night. At least he’d get practice in controlling Dark Shadow.

The bones of it, the relief, was that it seemed most of the students were willing to consider what he said. Yaoyorozu-chan applied to Fat Gum offices, Kaminari-kun eventually went with Best Jeanist, a hero renowned for the preciseness his Quirk, and Bakugou-kun- silent and bristling, glaring at nothing for the past two days- went with Gang Orca, a hero that was both intimidating and focused on Apprehension.

There was still a bump in the road though, as there always was; Iida-kun had left his form blank, and confessed to Aizawa-kun later that he was at a loss of who to go to, since he was- struggling, looking to refind his motivation. There weren't many heroes who specialized solely in speed that weren't in Rescue, and the boy's own family agency wa  barred due to the location.

Toshinori pondered it over lunch, trying to think of heroes who may be good for the young man. Someone who would be able to teach him more than just how heroics was, and maybe knock some sense into his skull... Put that way, the only person coming to mind was Kenichi.

Toshinori pulled out his phone. His thumb hovered over the buttons for a moment as he debated, tried to convince himself out of it. Ultimately though, past that disastrous reunion and five years of silence, he cared about his students advancing. Wanted to smack some of them upside the head, hug others and shove them into a quiet room, but wanted them all to succeed nonetheless.

He pressed call.


Iida-kun had never heard of Gran Torino, his hero career restricted to teaching at Yuuei and participating in a classified investigation. However, he trusted the smile to All Might's face and the reassurance from Izuku that the man was brash, but reliable.

Toshinori watched him board the train with the others and tried to convince himself everything would be alright.


“You did the right thing,” Inko murmured, bumping into his elbow as they cooked dinner. Toshinori startled, glancing up from where he had been cutting what was likely far too many green onions. She smiled, shaking her head. “You’ve got that look on your face that means you’re wondering if you’re making a mistake. You’re not.”

He turned back to the cutting board, knife hovering in his hand. "Two of my students are interning with people from my past," He finally said, "And I. Don't know how to feel about that. I think I'm..." He hesitated. "Afraid?"

"That they'll say something?" He shook his head, because sure, that may be part of it, but it wasn't the whole picture. It was- two people he'd disappointed, two that had left him faced with children part of the new life he'd been tentatively building. He was…

"I think I'm scared they'll realise how I am now and be angry that I didn't listen back then. That Osamu will listen to Izuku and... resent him, maybe. For being one of the ones to break through, and not him."

She didn't respond verbally- set down her chopsticks instead and wrapped her arms around him, squeezing tight. He huffed and leaned his chin on her head, breathing in the scent of paper and pork.

It'd be fine, he told himself. He'd just need to remember that he had other people to lean on, now.


The house wasn't necessarily any quieter with Izuku gone, Hisashi at work in his studio and Toshinori letting the television play as background noise. But it was... emptier, perhaps, missing one of the pieces to make it "home". At least he called each night, updating them on how the work study was going.

Osamu was apparently a taskmaster, having Izuku run errands and file paperwork most the day. He was a hero focused on intelligence and information-gathering after all, and that meant less patrols and more covert spying, listening to rumours and filing away pages.

The one time Izuku tried to say he would prove himself useful and a good hero despite his Quirklessness, Osamu shut him down cold and told him something Izuku said was burnt into his mind.

He- Mirio-senpai can tell you later, he, he really did- he said that there were top heroes who knew how to use their Quirks about as much as a dog knew how to speak, and that a Quirk didn’t- didn’t make the person! Sir Nighteye , the hero who works with just about every hero imaginable on operations, said that!

Toshinori had had to keep his grin from stretching ear to ear at that. If there was one thing Osamu had always refused to do, it was censor himself for another’s benefit. In this case, it turned out that was the benefit.


“Toshinori.

“Yes?”

This boy literally called the paramedics when he firs’ saw me, then cleaned th’ damn house. I can’t even fuckin’ haze him.”

“...I’m sorry?”

“You better be.”


“So, like. All Might. Yagi. You’ve got some ‘splainin to do.” Toshinori watched a tipsy Yamada-kun glare at him, jabbing his finger in his general direction. “There- you keep bein’ weird , Seki says you turned into a giant ass bunny at the festival an’ there was that time in the staff room an’ we can’t have mass-hallucinated it all-”

Aizawa-kun groaned, not sitting up from where he was facedown on the table. “Hizashi, I swear to every god in the sky, if you don’t shut up about this, you’re sleeping on the couch.”

Yamada pouted at him and started arguing, and Toshinori watched them pull the other teachers into it with a bemused sort of amusement, sipping at his lemonade. The bar they were in wasn’t crowded, other heroes talking to each other and laughing. It was meant as a sort of safe haven away from the press, where they wouldn’t risk unsightly pictures leaking out or exposing secrets.

It made for a decent break-spot, he supposed, especially since they didn’t have classes to worry about the next morning.

It also meant no one would be able to leak pictures of his legs shifting, pants pulling lopsidedly as his ankles went up. His ruff filled the collar of his shirt while his ears dipped in as well, and he blinked as his nose pushed in slightly.

When the other teachers turned back to him to drag him into the argument, they stopped dead. He only smiled.

It wasn’t like they’d believe what happened, drunk as they were.

(Maybe that hard lemonade hadn’t been a good idea, as low the alcohol content was. He was a lightweight after half a decade without touching a drop.)


Yamada-kun squinted at him suspiciously the next morning before shaking his head, muttering to Aizawa-kun. Toshinori smiled at him through his headache and continued listening to Chiyo berate him with one ear.


Izuku never mentioned if he talked to Osamu about Toshinori. Toogata-kun of course knew about him, the family friend that lived with them now and helped Izuku with work, but Osamu? His sidekicks? It was an unknown. He didn’t want to bring it up with how- scared he was, of approaching the topic of the man.

He settled with hearing of the antics that happened in Nighteye Offices. And wondering why the hell Osamu had installed a damn torture table in the middle of his office, what the sweet fuck-


Toshinori played with his phone, debating if this was really a good idea. It had been years since he'd talked to Taishirou or the Pussycats casually, longer with Hakamata and Sakamata. There was less bad blood between them, maybe, but... a distance he had built, thinking it would protect them while he hunted down All for One, hid his injury.

Maybe start small, disguise it as business. He had promised the Midoriyas after all, and he... he wanted to be better. He didn't want to linger in the life and habits that had made so many unhappy.

Toshinori scrolled through his contacts and called Yokohama Hero Mental Health Services, scheduled an appointment. The receptionist wouldn't know the significance of the name "Yagi Toshinori", but Aoi would.


Midway through the work studies, Toshinori turned on the news to grainy footage of abominations like the one he had taken down at the USJ, reporters frantically reporting of an attack at Hosu, of multiple injuries and at least three heroes dead.

His blood turned to ice. Behind him, he could hear Hisashi dropping the tea kettle.

"The students- none of them-?"

"None of them went to agencies in Hosu," Toshinori said tonelessly. Hisashi sighed shakily,picking up the kettle and stepping up behind him.

"Thank fuck for that at least. Those things..." He hesitated, leaning against Toshinori's arm. "They look like-"

"Yes."

It was the league again. With where they were attacking… Did this mean they and the Hero Killer were teaming up? But more importantly-

He needed to get down there before they did something drastic. This was his feud, and he wasn’t about to let them antagonise that fuck of a cryptid.

Notes:

thelennystorm.tumblr.com
Hayoho#5163

Chapter 11

Notes:

ლↂ‿‿ↂლ

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

He barely stopped them from exterminating the beasts, Enji poised to send his flame straight into their exposed brains while yelling at some hapless police officer. The man likely didn’t expect Toshinori to go rocketing into his side at thirty miles per hour, but that’s what got for being a violent, abusive-

Endeavor was knocked out cold, and the Noumu weren’t slaughtered without reason. Toshinori glanced up from them, bound and some maimed to disablement and then at the officers and heroes around. Most had injuries, and he wondered who it was that had succumbed to theirs, been caught by these or something more nefarious.

He jerked his head, noticing more than a few flinches. Wondered why before feeling the baring of his teeth, a grimace just two centimetres from a scowl.

An unsmiling All Might must have been terrifying, but he couldn’t pretend to be cheerful and reassuring after this. They’d have to take him grim and solid, instead.

“We’re taking these fellows to solitary confinement. If anyone messes with them, you’re getting reported and suspended.”


They sat still, barely even breathing in their cells and ignoring the multitude of restraints placed on them. They hadn’t moved since they took them in, going with their machinations silently. Toshinori looked at them pensively from his spot by the hall door, worrying one wrist. Quietly there was a knock on the door, and the guard behind him stepped out of the way to admit Chief Tsuragamae.

Toshinori looked to him silently. The chief shook his head, holding a folder close to his chest.

“They all tested positive for human DNA, just as the first, woof; we ran them against our database and came up with multiple missing persons, two or three matching each one.” He looked at one and Toshinori could see the disgust in his eyes, for all that he was trying to stay- some semblance of neutral towards people who were obviously tortured , used like tools . “I don’t know just who could have done this. The level of skill to do this must have taken decades of trial and error, or a particularly powerful Quirk.”

Toshinori grimaced. Powerful Quirk indeed. He cleared his throat, glancing at the guard. Tsuragamae saw it and gestured for the woman to leave, eyes sharpening.

“All Might?”

There’s some things your predecessor knew that you should, Tsuragamae-buchou…”


Toshinori went home exhausted, feeling like he’d been wrung out twice over. Tsuragamae had been furious that he hadn’t been informed of such a large presence in the Underground, but hadn’t taken it out on him. After all, he’d thought the man was dead .

Apparently not. Fucking cryptids.

He opened the door to the house, sighing as he kicked off his boots and unzipped his costume. He set it on the hook by the door and only contemplated for a moment before shifting, stretching in relief as his heels lifted off the floor and everything got just a touch warmer. He stepped out of the genkan and into the living room, blinking when he saw the sight in front of him.

Hisashi and Inko were curled up on the couch, remote in Inko’s hand and phone in Hisashi’s. Izuku was in the recliner, curled into a small ball with a notebook in his lap. The television was still on, turned to the news, though it was on a night splash screen right now.

They’d stayed up waiting for him.

He smiled to himself, shaking his head. Leaned over and gently picked up Izuku, padding down the hall to his room and nudging the door open. The teen mumbled nonsense as he tucked him into bed, making sure he wouldn’t be smothered. Toshinori glanced around the room- less versions of him nowadays, relieving though he couldn’t explain why it’d happened- before leaving, quietly closing the door.

He jumped when he turned and Hisashi was there, baggy-eyed with a slump to his shoulders. They looked at each other quietly before Hisashi offered his hand. Toshinori took it and let the man tug him down the hall to his and Inko’s room. The woman was in their wash closet, sink running.

Toshinori let Hisashi push him onto the bed, pulling off his odds and ends until he was left in his undershirt and shorts. Hisashi was close behind, already in a ratty Pussycats shirt and sweatpants. He probably should have felt strange at the man undressing him, but it almost felt like they were two steps to the right of normal reality, everything odd and skewed. It felt right that the he was pushing him around right now, making sure he undressed and went to bed.

The sink turned off and Inko stepped out of the restroom, yawning. She slid into bed, pushing Toshinori to the middle as she dove under the covers, and Hisashi was quick to lift the other side. He gestured, waiting.

Toshinori slid in, sandwiched between the two. His feet stuck out at the end of the bed and he’d likely overheat during the night but he closed his eyes, listening to the sounds of two breathing in tandem with him.

He slept and didn’t slip into nightmares that night.


Izuku was gone by the next morning, apparently only there thanks to special permission from Osamu. It left only Toshinori and his parents at breakfast, quiet in the wake of everything.

“What happened?” Inko finally asked, sipping from her coffee. Toshinori sighed, leaning back.

“From what we can tell, the Noumu were released intentionally, though they must not have expected them to be captured en masse. And…” He grimaced, remembering the bodies in that alley. “The Hero Killer had been there as well.”

They both sucked in a breath between their teeth, Hisashi closing his eyes.

“And you said none of the students were there, right?” He shook his head, relief in their eyes no doubt reflected in his own. There was a pause, all of them contemplating that, before Inko spoke up again.

“What happens now then?”

He shrugged weakly, because he barely even knew. Research, as much as they could into just what exactly the Noumu were and how they were made, if they could be deconstructed once more. Waiting, to see if anyone would try to claim them, or if the Hero Killer would appear again.

Gods. What a fucking mess.

“To be honest-” He cleared his throat, chuckling some. “To be honest, I want to let the police and others handle this, just focus on the kids right now. Not have to- look at this again for a while, after all the bullshit that’s happened. Is that bad of me, after causing this by not finishing All for One?”

Hisashi smacked him on the back of his head. He yelped and resisted the urge to shift, frowning at the man who only rolled his eyes.

“Toshi, what have I been telling since I met you?” He huffed, small smile creeping onto his face. “You’re not the only capable hero. They don’t need you to hold your hand, and it’s good you don’t want to anymore. Gods know they’ve had enough of it over the years.”

Toshinori snorted and smiled as well, shaking his head. Right.

Right. He just needed to keep that in mind.


A ringing caught his attention, and Toshinori fumbled with his phone for far too long while Aizawa-kun stared judgmentally. He finally hit accept on the damn thing, hurrying out of the room.

“Ah, moshi moshi?”

Yagi? You sound… less robust. ” Toshinori stood up straight, staring out the window at the grounds in shock.

“Hakamata? I- why are you calling? Not- that isn’t to say I mind of course, it’s just-”

Still as scatterbrained as usual, I hear. I’m just calling you to update on your students; there was a mention on their files to keep the school informed of their progress thanks to issues during lessons.

Toshinori breathed a sigh of relief and disappointment; right, of course, he’d forgotten about that. Best Jeanist gave him a summary of how Kaminari-kun and Satou were doing, what they’d managed in terms of growth with their Quirks. Satou had been serious the majority of the week and Kaminari goofing off until Hakamata's sidekicks set him straight. They'd made  progress, which was a good sign for their careers.

Toshinori hummed when Hakamata finished, thinking about adjustments to the curriculum, pairups during spars. "Thank you for the update, Hakamata; I'll be sure to inform Aizawa-kun." He paused, hesitating, wondering if he should say anything else, if it was the right time.

Hakamata took the choice away from him.

" ...It's been a while, hasn't it? We haven't spoken one-on-one in years ." Toshinori startled before smiling sheepishly, curling one hand round a bang.

"Ah, no, we haven't. I." He cleared his throat. "I had thought it would be for the best to distance myself, for everyone's good."

"...Toshinori, you goddamned fool ," Hakamata sighed, " I'll contact you again later since I need to return to my duties. But do not think this is over. "

The line clicked, dial tone droning. Toshinori pulled the phone back from his ear and stared at it bemusedly.

That hadn't been what he expected.


Toyomitsu, Sakamata, Hakamata- they all bewildered him.

Each and every one sighed, muttering as though it wasn't surprising he made such a decision without thinking, and promised they would contact him again, with varying levels of politeness. Sakamata had said he'd come and toss him around if he didn't answer the phone, but that was just his personality.

He kept staring at his phone like it had betrayed him, wondering what world he'd stepped into. Hisashi laughed when he mentioned it, setting down the goggles he’d been tinkering with.

"I don't think you've noticed, Sunflower, but people happen to like you. You , not All Might. And that means they also know how you are, you big martyring idiot."

He pouted, because he couldn't exactly deny that with his track record, but that didn't mean it didn't sting.

Hisashi made monster omelettes for dinner to make up for it.


Toshinori blinked at the papers on the table, catching the name Todoroki before he turned his head, not wanting to intrude on case files. He cleared his throat, calling out.

"Inko? Did you pick up any... new cases?" Yes, of course she did you idiot-

"Ah, yeah! Todoroki-san called me and asked for me to take their case!" She emerged from the bathroom, towelling her hair. "She's a nice girl, if a little quiet. Right now we're gathering the evidence and working out confidentiality, hence all that. We've managed to make sure Shouto-kun won't be forced to return to their home after those work studies are finished, but..."

"No place for him to go after that?" She nodded, frowning. He grimaced. "And no family friends thanks to Enji. If they don't find somewhere, he'll likely be placed with one of the teachers for now."

She considered that, sitting at the table and writing something down. "Who would you consider a good fit?"

He hummed, contemplating the question. Shouto-kun was- a private boy, for all that he could be blunt and confrontational, and seemed to like quiet over a bustling home.

"Aizawa or Kurofuka may work, but he lives in a small enough apartment already with his nephew, and Kurofuka has their own issues thanks to their Quirk," He said slowly. "Nedzu may be willing, but he also may be against constantly being around a person. Any of the others wouldn't be a good fit or barely know the boy."

She pursed her lips, staring at him strangely before shaking her head.

"We'll figure something out. Those are four more options than we had before Toshi, thank you."

He smiled, glad to help some, and set about cleaning up the house some. Izuku was due back in a couple days, and they'd... sort of let things go without him here. Hisashi's studio had spilled into the hall and lesson plans were strewn about the tables, still in the process of being reviewed.

He picked up a welder and shook his head. Everything would be alright. It'd just take some work.


The students came back on a Wednesday, excitedly talking to each other about the Pro Heroes they had met, patrolling, getting of taste of the "real" stuff. Toshinori listened to them with amusement, remembering his own work study with Kenichi. The man had driven him into the ground with patrols and sparring, and he'd been glad to go back to the drone of school.

Aizawa-kun cleared his throat when they'd all settled in their seats, upright and awake-looking for once. His face was solemn, no doubt remembering those three hours of review.

"I'm sure you're all excited from your work studies and eager to discuss them with you peer. However, we still have class and the midterms in a month and a half, and many of you require meetings based on what your supervisors for the week told us."

A good number of them groaned, but Toshinori could see the ones that mattered shifting, worried expressions or stiff posture evident. They could sense something was afoot, but they didn't know what, were nervous over the possibilities.

His heart panged, but it was for their own good.

"Those of you who were highlighted will meet with Midnight or another teacher every week until further notice is given or I approve the stop of the meetings. And," His eyes sharpened, glowing red as his hair lifted, "Any of you who see fit to badger your classmates about what happens in these meetings or belittle them will be sparring with me after school. Understood?"

The gulps were audible, nodding fervent. Toshinori hoped this would go well.


The first they broached were the worst off, Izuku with his ramped-up anxiety and Shouto-kun with his defensiveness and drive, Mineta-kun and his hypersexuality and Tokoyami-kun with his self-deprecating perceptions.

Izuku and Shouto-kun already knew what was truly going on, informed by Inko and Todoroki-san respectively. They hadn't fought, seeing how desperate their family was for them to thrive, with how they were still mired in shock with Shouto-kun.

He heard from Kayama-san that she had had to stop Mineta from walking out of the room the first session by threatening to suspend him. He could only hope that didn't set the tone for all their efforts.


"...more kids, you know."

Toshinori stretched, hearing his spine pop as he wandered into the living room. Inko and Hisashi were on the couch, expressions contemplative. When they saw him Hisashi snorted, tapping his nose. Toshinori felt his face and realised his own had flattened during the night, shifting to a more lagomorphic shape.

He shrugged and left it. They were at home, after all. He didn't need to worry.


"The midterm exams..."

Yamada-kun groaned, slumping over in his seat. "Yagi, you can't be seee-erious , do you wanna change the entrance exam too while you're at it?"

"That'd be a good idea to ensure prospective Rescue and Underground heroes aren't turned away, but I know that's controlled by the sponsors." Yamada stared at him like he was insane. Toshinori only shrugged and jerked his thumb at Aizawa-kun. "Eraserhead is an exemplary Underground hero, yet he failed the entrance exam thanks to its focus on villain apprehension through excessive force."

The staff paused at that, glancing at Aizawa. The man himself raised his brows, but didn't look like he disagreed.

"Okay. You're not satisfied with what we have planned. What do you suggest then?"

Toshinori smiled and dragged his suitcase onto the table, opening it. They all groaned at the mountain of papers inside.

Oh well. It was for the students' betterment, so they'd deal.


Toshinori tossed and turned, sighing. He got out from the covers and headed out of his room, listening. Izuku was talking to someone in his room, murmuring on the phone. They'd have to talk about his curfew again. In Hisashi's studio, he could hear the sound of someone tinkering with pliers, occasionally setting something alight.

He headed for the last bedroom. Inko looked up blearily from her book, yawning. She set it aside to pat the covers, quirking a smile. He quickly shifted, hopping up to burrow against her side.

"That sort of night, huh?" She mumbled, running her hand along his flank. He huffed, trying not think of the messages Tsuragamae and Naomasa had sent him. Inko picked her book back up and began to read again. Eventually, quietly, she spoke up.

"... And the man shook his wings, looking around himself. The buildings towered over him, so tall he couldn't spy the tops, and crowds of all sorts of beings filled the streets ..."

He slept.


"Toshinori, how would you say Shouto-kun is?"

"As a person?" He hummed, comparing the prices of two shampoos. "Quiet, unless you incite his passion or anger. Driven. A bit too blunt for some's tastes, maybe. He reminds me of Aizawa-kun, almost. Should probably be handled the same, as well. Why?"

"Placement," Inko said simply, and he nodded.

These shampoos are too expensive. I could buy a damn fish for these prices . He put both back and grabbed another, setting it in the cart. Inko's question slipped from his mind after that.


The office was done in soft tones, tan and blue mixing to create an inoffensive palette. There were only two or three chairs in the lobby, framed by bookcases and a singular, purple fern. He took one of the seats after checking in and felt absolutely terrified.

What would Aoi say, think? Would he refuse service, could he? Would he dismiss what he said, disbelieving that the Number One could be dealing with such things- but no, the man wasn't like that. Hadn't been during their school years, couldn't be now with how his nephew behaved.

"Toshinori."

He jumped, nearly puffing into his hero form before he stopped himself. Didn't want to look up face him speak but-

He looked up.

Aoyama Aoi was a put-together man, suspenders and slacks giving off the impression of an off-duty officer or office worker more than a psychiatrist. His hair was more auburn than his nephew's, streaked with grey after all these years. Toshinori looked at him and felt the years reflected in him in a way they hadn't been in Hakamata or Sakamata.

The man didn't smile at him but his eyes were soft behind his glasses, expression open.

"Why don't we head to my office?" He asked softly.

Toshinori went.


He went home drained, feeling like nothing had changed yet everything had been shifted. When he opened the door, the smell of fried eggplant greeted him, wafting from the kitchen. He walked in to see Izuku at the table, doing homework while Hisashi cooked. Behind him, the sounds of Inko in the genkan reached his ears.

His shoulders drooped and he closed his eyes, breathing out.

"Tadaima!"


Toshinori stared at the four, bemused and not quite understanding just yet. Izuku shuffled nervously while Shouto-kun squinted at him suspiciously.

"Aren't you All Might's secretary?"

"M-more importantly! Toshi-nii, can he stay with us for a while? Since uhm, Thirteen-sensei needs space to decompress safely."

Toshinori blinked at him. "As long as you told them as well I'm fine with it, Izuku. It's not like you two will destroy the house or anything. I'm just confused about why you're asking me."

"It's your name on the lease," Hisashi pointed out dryly. Toshinori gave that the response he thought it deserved, completely ignoring it. Izuku and Shouto perked up though, Izuku smiling while the elemental relaxed some.

"Thank you Toshi-nii! Come on Shouto, I'll show you my room, we've got a futon you can use for now-"

Toshinori watched him herd the two-toned boy further into the house. He shook his head before turning to Hisashi and Inko.

"Where is he going to sleep? He can't just stay on Izuku's floor forever."

The two traded glances before looking at him in amusement.


Toshinori studiously ignored the duo and the heat to his ears. Inko kept trying to be comforting, but her giggling ruined it.

"It's not like you have much in the room anyways, Toshinori, and you sleep with us or Izuku almost every night."

"I would have appreciated being let in on the plan to kick me out of my own room though," He grumbled.

Inko snorted, wrapping an arm around his chest.

"We're sorry, bunny. I thought it'd be a bit obvious it might happen with how I asked after the teachers and what he was like."

He huffed, chinning her head and resolutely pretending his face wasn't red.

"Just tell me next time before planning something like this, you two."

Hisashi joined in the hug, arm going across his waist to glance Inko's tummy and really, how did they always end up like this? It seemed every time he slipped into bed with them for some human contact he’d be used as a human pillow.

"Will do, big guy." Toshinori looked up out the window, watching the clouds pass over the moon.

"...You think he'll be alright with us?"

"Do you?"

He considered that. Hisashi and Inko, doting but firmly against enabling toxicity. Izuku, conscientious of boundaries and someone who'd understand the other boy. Himself, knowing what pain and drive were. A small smile quirked his lips as he closed his eyes.

"...Yes."

Notes:

thelennystorm.tumblr.com
hayoho#5163

Chapter Text

"A camping trip- you really think that's a good idea?"

Aizawa-kun hummed, knocking back his thermos. Toshinori thought it had coffee in it, but he couldn't be sure, especially with Kenichi's track record. The younger man wiped his mouth, turning back to the camping plans and schedule in front of him.

"It'll let us hit all three areas of heroics and be something fun for the kids before they lose the time for it thanks to patrols. Why wouldn't it be?"

Toshinori conceded the point, nodding his head.

"I'm suppose with recent events I'm simply worried. This year has been... hectic."

Aizawa snorted.

"No, really?"


Therapy was…

It was irritating. Something he dreaded going to each week and nerve-wracking during sessions. Aoi was blunt, blunter than Hisashi had ever dared to be, and everything laid out in such terms- it unbalanced him. It was good someone was willing to say it to his face, cross the boundaries the Midoriyas and other heroes refused to, but it was exhausting.

"You're leading yourself to an early death because you think you matter less.

"You only reformed human attachments when you were absolutely forced to.

"You only now learning how to function outside your duties now that continuing as you had would kill you.

"Toshinori, are you suicidal?"

He baulked at the last question, more than he had at anything said in the past two weeks.

"No! I- no, I swear to you, I'm not. I-" He stopped himself, a dreadful epiphany coming to him. How must have his speedy decline looked to others? Drawing away from the others, refusing to sit through the whole recovery time, acting as though his health and happiness didn't matter- and believing it.

He wondered how Hisashi viewed him those first few months and pushed the thought from his mind, sick.

"...I'm not," He finally said softly, "I just haven't known how to... be, in a long time."

Aoi pursed his lips, tapping the clipboard that he had been ignoring for the past hour.

"...At least you're doing better than we thought," He muttered. Toshinori closed his eyes and pushed that from his mind as well.

They both collected themselves for a moment before continuing. It didn't help him much.


They didn't treat Shouto-kun like glass. Or at least, they tried not to. Hisashi made sure not to use his Quirk around the boy and they all avoided bringing up Enji unless absolutely necessary, but beyond that, they treated the teen like they would any of Izuku's friends.

He didn't seem to know how to handle that.

"What?"

"You need to eat if you two are going to spar," Inko patiently repeated, hoisting the tray of fruit up again. She gave him a stern look when he only stared at her in bewilderment. "I'm not having one of you fainting because you didn't take care of yourself. And don't just use your Quirk to cool down- you'll just be exerting yourself more."

Izuku obligingly took an apple slice. Shouto took one as well, staring at it like it was an alien.

"I've been fine before, Midoriya-san-"

"Shouto-kun, arguing is just going to get you more food. Eat."

He ate. Toshinori snorted from the kitchen window and went back to grading papers.


"So Minoru's aunt was arrested," Kayama-san said conversationally, blowing on her mug of tea. They all stared at her. She only smiled, a vicious, satisfied thing.

While the others hesitated on asking just why she was, Toshinori coughed and shuffled his papers, eyeing Kayama seriously.

"Will that help him?" Her smile softened, a wry edge entering it.

"It should."


Toshinori stirred his coffee pensively. Across from him, Naomasa looked tired, rundown from the folder in front of him.

"It's a fucking mess, Toshinori," He muttered. He leaned back, closing his eyes and rubbing the bridge of his nose. "I've been looking at records of that fight five years ago- everything was logged by emergency responders and police since you were out of commission. There was never any mention of a body besides yours."

Toshinori smiled grimly. "So someone was helping him." He sighed. "I can't say I'm surprised, but it does make me worried about the Noumu in custody."

"I'd say they'd be completely useless to the villain at this point." Naomasa grimaced at his confusion, shaking his head. "The cocktail of drugs in their system finally flushed out. Half of them are in too much pain to respond to anything while the other half cower from anyone who comes near. They're useless as weapons now."

Toshinori looked out the window, watching people hurry along the streets to try and get out of the rain. No less than eight monsters, meaning sixteen, twenty, thirty people trapped in monstrous forms. He curled his hand, letting paw pads rise to the surface, and wondered just how different he could say he was.


"This is a hell of a lot of work for one exam-"

"We're the best school in the country, aren't we? Why not act like it?"


Shouto-kun stared at him, blinking at the ears poking up out of his hair and tail from his shorts. Toshinori slowly stood from where he’d been picking up blueprints.

“...So the rabbit that wanders around the school sometimes is you?”

Shit. I didn’t realise any students had seen me. He sheepishly nodded, avoiding the boy’s far too judgemental eyes.

“It’s, uh, quicker than walking for me. Since no one stops me.”

“...Right. Midoriya-obaasan says dinner’s ready.”

He hurried past Shouto and pretended he didn’t hear the mutters about cupboards. What he did on break was his business alone, thank you very much.


Toshinori smiled weakly at Hakamata and Toyomitsu, sweating beneath his clothes. They were both in civilian wear, Toyomitsu standing out most thanks to his height.

They both couldn't take their eyes off him.

"You're..." Hakamata frowned and grabbed his arm. "Come on. We're not doing this in the open."

Their table was in the back of the restaurant, a wall blocking the view of the entrance. Toyomitsu took one side while Hakamata boxed Toshinori in on the other, glaring when he opened his mouth. They ordered quickly, waitress being ushered off in short orddr, and then they were alone again.

"So," Hakamata started, "Maijima said something bad happened, Aoi implied you were being an idiot, and Nedzu said it was being taken care of."

Toshinori toyed with his sleeve.

"That's a good summary, yes. The past few years have been... difficult."

Hakamata tsked in annoyance and he flinched, remembering At least you're doing better than we thought-

"Yagi- Toshi, wait." Toyomitsu reached over the table and wrapped one giant hand around his, gently tugging it away from where he was steadily causing a tear in his sleeve. "We're not here to shame you or anything like that- we've just been worried and want to know what happened."

"So please tell us."

"-If you're comfortable."

The waitress reappeared before he could answer, setting down their food and politely murmuring for them to call her if they needed anything. He took the time they spent squaring away plates and silverware to try and find that courage that had let him go to Aoi's.

"...I was injured fighting my nemesis, and with how it almost took me out, I thought it would be better to separate myself from others." He speared a sausage, staring at it stubbornly. "I thought- I thought it would be better for everyone. So you wouldn't need to see me as I was, and I wouldn't need to hide my decline."

The two were stating, he could feel it sending the hair on his nape standing up. He didn't look up from his plate.

"...Yagi. You do know we've never seen you as just All Might, correct? You're a person before a hero."

"Yes. But I didn't see myself that way."

The two didn't respond to that, reluctantly taking their own silverware and beginning to eat. They probably couldn't , but it was the truth, and he didn't want to hide anymore. He missed feeling like a person-

He just hadn't realised that until he was treated like one again.

"...You look alright right now. Maybe need to get some more sleep, but you've got padding I haven't seen since that mission to Nagasaki." Toyomitsu eventually ventured. Toshinori looked up to catch the behemoth eyeing him intensely, looking for any sign of injury or wear. With how his clothes were ever-so-shifting, Hakamata was doing the same in his own way.

Toshinori smiled at them, fighting the urge to chuckle.

"My family's been helping me heal."


He didn't get calls from Sakamata or Chatora or anyone else, and he was thankful for it. The duo were giving him space to approach them, letting him go at his own pace, and it was like a deep breath.

He invited Tsunagu and Taishirou out to lunch again with an offer extended to Sakamata and the Pussycats as well. It would be a while, schedules needing to line up, but they all said yes.


"You are All Might's secretary, aren't you? Is that why his costume is in the laundry?"

Toshinori paused, cursing the ease of routine. He'd let himself get too comfortable over the past few months, washing that thing like it was normal- although, wasn't that the point of home?

How to respond, though? He could say yes, deny it, mislead... But the boy was going to be living with them for likely months until Fuyumi-chan started receiving support from Enji, and with his track record things would spill out one way or another. And to be frank-

At this point, what could happen? He didn't look like a skeleton anymore, and the Midoriyas had long made their choice in associating with him. Shouto, a Legacy teen embroiled in heroics since he was a child, wouldn't endanger them by knowing.

He sighed. Set down the laundry basket and turned to Shouto-kun, who had been setting up the clothesline.

"Shouto-kun, why don't you look at me and tell me what you see?"

The boy did, eyes roving over his frame. At his face he paused and frowned. His brow furrowed as his eyes drifted from his hair to his eyes his crooked smile the definition to his jaw-

"You-" He stopped and glanced around. Toshinori applauded his caution and nodded, grimacing.

"I don't always look like I do when on patrol, obviously. The Midoriyas already know."

Shouto stared off into nothing as he processed that. Toshinori left him to it, pinning clothes up to dry and moving down the line.

"Why?" He blinked, turning back to the teen.

"Why what?"

"Why hide? You're Number One."

Toshinori blinked bemusedly, setting down the shirt he was holding. "Because I like my privacy, I suppose. And it protects those I associate with outside hero work."

Shouto didn't respond immediately to that, turning back to the clothesline. Toshinori left him to it and finished his side, setting the basket back on the porch. As turned to start on the second, the teen looked up again.

"Is that normal?"

He paused again before pulling out a blanket, pinning it up.

"It depends on the hero, I suppose. I know Best Jeanist and Present Mic do the same. I've found-" He broke off, ah, should he say this? But it wasn't like the boy wouldn't know already- "Separating the two parts of your life as much as possible is for the best. If you are public you risk attack on your loved ones, as well as giving up any respite you might find off-duty."

They didn't talk the rest of the chore. Toshinori hoped he had helped rather than harmed.


“...So All Might has been sleeping in the cupboards at school.”

“Yeah, he does that- wait, what?”

The Midoriyas stared at Shouto-kun. Toshinori sunk into his seat when Hisashi snorted, sighing to himself. Goddamnit.


 

Toshinori hummed, marking down numbers in the gradebook. Kaminari-kun's score had gone up some after they figured out he was better with pictures than auditory explanations, and Mineta-kun's had sunk a bit after the fiasco with his family. It would hopefully rise again after the dust had settled some and he was more comfortable talking.

The door to the faculty room opened and he barely looked up, expecting it to be Aizawa-kun or Present Mic coming to grab something they accidentally left.

Izuku collapsed next to him, smushing his face into his side. Toshinori jumped but tried not to jostle him, carefully tilting his head. The teen's eyes were red and his cheeks ruddy, and he barely glanced at him before looking away.

"Are-"

"Today's session was bad."

Ah. Therapy.

Toshinori shuffled so the boy was cuddled up to his side instead and left him alone. If he needed to talk, he would.


“I feel- I feel like I’m going to fail the exam, what am I going to do I barely passed the entrance exam-”

“You got the top score in the entrance exam.”

Izuku paused in his pacing, turning to sheepishly look at Toshinori. The hero kept unzipping his boots, calmly setting his costume aside.

“You’re competent, Izuku, and capable even without your tools. You’ll do fine. You too, Shouto-kun, don’t think I’ve forgotten you brooding in the corner.” Said elemental huffed, sinking further into his seat as he turned the television up. Toshinori doubted reruns of old game shows were that entertaining, but to each his own.

“Don’t worry too much, alright? You have a week to prepare, and it’s not like we’re sending you all onto a battlefield to see how you measure up. You’re all sixteen.

Izuku finally smiled, a small thing that said I’m still worried out of my tiny anxious mind but I trust you. Toshinori smiled back, patting him on the head and sending a pointed look to Shouto. The boy huffed again and nodded, glancing at Izuku.

“We’ll be fine, Mi- Izuku. But if you have an aneurysm before the exam, you won’t be.”

Toshinori left them to playfully bicker while he went to go take a shower. He paused when he found Hisashi inside, patting down his hair frantically. Part of it was burnt away, sparks still popping up before the water drowned them.

“...”

“...”

“Why don’t I get out and you can help me with this after you’re clean?” Toshinori gave him a patient look. He pouted. “Yes, I know Inko is going to yell, can you just help me make it look not ugly before she gets home instead of judging.”

Toshinori looked at Hisashi after he had cut the curls to a more even length, less shaggy than before. He reminded him of someone like this, but he couldn’t put his finger on it. Watching the man run his fingers through his hair in delight, he couldn’t say he really cared right now.


"Sleepover?"

"They just told us," Inko said in amusement, setting down her tablet. "Iida-kun invited them over to his house to celebrate his brother being released from the ICU. Izukkun and Shouto were so excited I couldn't say no."

Toshinori tried to imagine Shouto-kun anything but blandly confrontational and was coming up blank. He decided he was pleased they were both reaching out to friends and relaxing and sat on the couch, loosening his tie. Hands gently touched his shoulders, rubbing out a kink that had been between them all day, and he melted into the cushion.

“Why don’t we go out tonight? I’m tired after working on that recent commission all day, and I know you two don’t want to cook. We can just head to one of the places nearby.”

Toshinori opened one eye to glance at Inko, who pursed her lips. He shrugged his shoulders, and her lips quirked up into a smile. She looked at Hisashi, still rubbing Toshinori’s shoulders into some semblance of relaxed.

“Why not?”

The barbecue was hot on his tongue and Hisashi wouldn’t stop making him laugh. Inko shoved him as he lit the grill hotter and hotter, sneaking puffs of fire when she wasn’t looking. Toshinori unwound with them and felt a simple happiness, everything pushed away in this bubble of time. The exams weren’t a week away, the boys weren’t struggling, and he didn’t have any asshole enemies to worry about.

There was simply the three of them, giggling at Hisashi performing tricks with the skewers and fire.

Chapter 13

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Toshi, you’re kicking me in the head.”

He blearily blinked his eyes open, stretching and rolling until he flopped onto the floor and could shift back. Inko giggled and ran a hand through his hair, straightening his bangs.

“M’rrrrrn.”

“Morning to you too. Why don’t you go make sure Izuku didn’t stay up all night?”

Gods allow he didn’t, they didn’t need that sort of meltdown during the day. Toshinori stood, slipping on his robe while Inko politely looked away. Glancing over he saw Hisashi was facedown in the pillows, so that was one less person to search for.

He slipped quietly out of the room with one last wave, leaving her to dress as he walked down the hall. It was already light out, warm despite the hour. He paused when he reached Shouto-kun’s room and could hear quiet shuffling, the sound of drawers opening and shutting. Getting ready, then. He’d trust the boy to manage alone- hell, he would likely snub any reassurance.
Reaching Izuku’s room, he could hear muttering, but it was more… direct than usual, maybe? He shifted one ear and leaned closer, hand poised to knock.

“- Scared but I’ve got to trust myself, don’t I? I’m prepared, and I know it’s all in my head. You said it wasn’t too hard when you did it?”

Ah. Talking to someone. Toogata-kun maybe? Well.

Toshinori left him to it and went to make breakfast. By the time everyone had emerged from their rooms there were five plates of eggs and sausage with a pitcher of coffee waiting.

All in all, it was a decent start for the day of the exams.


Toshinori had been asking the students what circuit they wanted to go into ever since the work studies; with some experience under their belt, they should have been seriously thinking of them now. Some kept to the generic Villain Apprehension, while others said Rescue. Izuku and a few others said Intelligence Acquisition, a surprising amount for one class. Usually there would be only one or two per year going into the circuit, Quirks unsuited for anything else.

They’d all be tested, and whether they passed or not… well, maybe that’d settle the uncertain ones.


Izuku was vibrating in his seat as they drove to school, Shouto-kun staring out the window. Every few moments the teen would burst into muttering, fidgeting with his hands. Toshinori listened in the driver’s seat and tried not to sigh, knowing it was the boy’s way of keeping calm.

“Shouto-kun!” He said, breaking the silence and making them jump, “Do you still want to go into Villain Apprehension? I know you wrote it on your initial admissions form, but you did spend a week with Kurofuka-kun.”

Shouto pursed his lips and kept looking out the window at the passing crowds. “...I don’t know,” He said. “I still want to surpass my father, but…” He trailed off and didn’t continue for a moment until Izuku nudged him, snapping his attention back. “I enjoyed working with Thirteen-sensei. And I don’t know how to feel about that.”

Toshinori hummed, tapping the steering wheel. Forming opinions outside what he knew in that cage, who knew . Hopefully the boy would consider more than taking down criminals now that he had that taste, though whether it was best to diverge or not was up to him.

“Some heroes work in multiple circuits, if that appeals to you- though I warn you, it’s exhausting work. Believe me, I worked in three before I was forced to downsize.”

The elemental grunted. The rest of the drive was quiet, but contemplative.


Toshinori stretched and sighed in the locker room, feeling the back of his heels shudder and shift around as he did so. There was a disgusted noise behind him and he turned to see Yamada-kun staring in horror, patrol speaker hanging from his hands.

“What the hell was that? Are you some sort of- shifter? An alien? Are we gonna- Was I RIGHT-

Aizawa-kun slapped him over the mouth, sighing grievously. “Have you seriously not figured out by now he can turn into a rabbit? I realised right after the Sports Festival when Kan mentioned him transforming.”

Yamada gave him a betrayed look. Aizawa sighed again.

Toshinori tried to hold in his laughter, setting his costume down momentarily as he waved to catch the blond’s attention. Making sure he was watching he quickly shifted, hopping out of the ensuing cloud of smoke.

Multiple eyes bugged out of heads and Nakano made a strangled noise as he circled around for them to see. He dashed back to the bench before shifting back, grabbing his underwear from where it was starting to tangle around his legs. Quickly, just because he could, he let his legs and ears partially warp back and forth as he tugged everything back on.

“Oh my god,” Ishiyama-san muttered. Toshinori shifted completely back and tugged his costume on, humming as he left them to stare. The tilt to his lips went unnoticed, everyone too focused on Yamada and his slowly-building whining.


Out in the simulation, he peered around. The fake city had been turned into a veritable battleground, pitfalls, barricades, and chalk lines making it look more like a tactics diagram than the giant dollhouse it was. He could see Br’er, one of the third-year teachers, putting the final touches off near the starting point, phone blasting music as he arranged point markers.

He didn’t look up as Toshinori approached, more focused on making sure the wind didn’t blow the small parts everywhere. Toshinori stopped one marker from rolling off the stage as the wind blew particularly hard, finally catching the other hero’s attention.

“Oh- sorry, didn’t notice you. Uh, Yagi-san.” The satyr cleared his throat, glancing at him then away. “Everything’s about done, We’re just waiting for Mic and King to show up.”

“They should be here soon, my friend! And do not worry, I know I have a habit of sneaking up on those unawares!”

Br’er looked him up and down. He didn’t look convinced. Toshi wondered if he would if the blond was two feet thinner and didn’t look like he came out of an old comic book. Ah, but the height-

“Nevertheless! Thank you for the help, Fermi!” The satyr nodded again, straightening as the sounds of arguing started echoing. Yamada and Kan were here, then. He said goodbye to the other man as he watched them pass the gates, peering around at the changes that had taken place.

He grinned when they were finally close, pulling out his list.

“Now. Who do you think will last longest?”


The students looked nervous as they stepped into the arena, 1-A and 1-B grouping together. They didn’t mix much between the two groups, giving each other wary looks; that was alright. They’d get past that in the next four hours or have a hell of a time trying to pass.

“Good morning, students!” He boomed, watching a few jump. “Today we’re going to be testing you all based on your responses to your anticipated circuit. Those who said ‘undecided’ or ‘Villain Apprehension’ will be with us today, as you can see!”

“Mou, All Might-sensei, are we going to be fighting you all or something?” Keibara-kun piped up, frowning at him. A few of the students burst into murmurs, trading looks with dread. Toshinori laughed, shaking his head.

“Not yet, my boy. You’ll be fighting each other, first.”

They all looked terrified at that. Internally he snorted; no doubt they thought they would be crushed by the teachers if they actually held a battle- over ten years of experience did that. common sense, however, meant they wouldn’t really be fighting them. But for now-

“You all will first be doing something similar to the entrance exam,” Blood King spoke up, stepping forward. He held up one of the point markers, pressing the center multiple times. It went from green to black, flashing between colours. “These go anywhere on your person, so long as they’re within reach of enemies and not in an inappropriate spot. The more hits you get on each other’s person, the more points to your total. If all your markers are black, you flush out of this round of testing. Any questions?”

“Yeah! What’s off-limits?” Kan looked at Kirishima-kun.

“As long as you don’t permanently or majorly injure each other, anything is allowed.” He paused, grimacing. “That doesn’t mean destroy the whole simulation, please. It’s more work for Cementoss. Any more questions?”

Looks were traded. No one spoke up. They distributed the markers among the students, five per each one. The group of twenty-one looked nervous, twitchy, and he could spot some that were already raring to run, some who seemed like they would stick together. Finally, Mic hopped forward, grinning from ear to ear at the group.

AWRIGHT THEN ! You’ve got one hour, kiddos; ready, set , GO!


Toshinori stretched in his spot at the monitors, scratching his neck. “I don’t think any of these children know the meaning of ‘restrained’.”

Kan winced as Kaibara-kun shook another building into crumbling, nearly catching Bondo and Satou in the rubble. “To be fair, I haven’t exactly touched on it in class beyond making sure Bakugou didn’t set anyone on fire-” And there the boy went, exploding a wall and catching Yaoyorozu-chan’s hair alight. She responded by making a spear out of her thigh and hurling it at high speeds at his bicep where he’d placed one of his markers. It hit home, shifting it to a navy blue.

The ensuing screaming could practically be heard, despite the soundproofing of their little control room. Toshinori sighed and marked another point under Creatie’s tally. She was vicious with her accuracy.

“Shouta told me to tell you your kid is creepy.”

Toshinori blinked and looked at Yamada-kun strangely. In response he held up his phone, displaying a picture of Izuku enthusiastically talking with Nedzu, notebook out despite the fact they had to be in the middle of the exam. He could see the dummy robots in the background going through the simulation, Monoma-kun to the side, speaking into an earpiece similar to the one on Izuku’s head.

He snorted. He didn’t know why he was surprised.


When all was said and done the teenagers were worn down, some covered in dust and rubble while others had smears of blood and dirt. They surveyed them all, letting the moment stretch out and nervousness grow.

“Congratulations to moving to the second portion, you eleven,” Kan finally said. “Your classmates will be receiving remedial training during the break; we’ll see if any of you require it after the results of the next portion.”

“Are we- we’re not really gonna fight you all, right? We’re gonna frickin’ die.”

“Do not worry Sero-kun! We will not be going all-out on you all; that would defeat the purpose of the exam!” He plucked one of the markers from Bakugou-kun, stepping back when he glared. A prolonged press and it was back to green. He held it up to the students, deliberately sticking it to his collarbone. “You’ll be targeting us, now! As an individual, your score depends on how many points your group can collectively land on us!”

That didn’t reassure most of them. Oh well.


The essential purpose of the two tests, when it came down to it, was to see how the students did when on even and uneven playing fields. Against their peers, they knew each other’s Quirks or could grab information about them, and didn’t need to worry about bigger or more muscled bodies, Quirks that had already been developed into weapons. Against the three of them, it was completely different; the purpose wasn’t to see if they could defeat the professional heroes. Rather, it was to see how they managed when forced to think on their feet against a stronger foe.

An important skill, he knew intimately.


They didn’t separate the students by groups or assign them a certain teacher or anything like that. They would go to who they wanted to, and that was that. Most the 1-B students gravitated to Kan, likely thinking they would have an easier time or that they knew his Quirk better. Some went to Present Mic, squinting as he shouted.

Toshinori smiled as Tetsutetsu, Kirishima, Bakugou, Tokoyami, and Kuroiro came to him, black teen bowing slightly. He bowed back, tilting his head.

“Taking your chances with me, boys? Brave! Let’s see if you’re up to the challenge!”

Kuroiro-kun blasted him with smoke the moment the timer started, diving towards the marker placed on his waist. He ducked away only to have to dodge a swipe from Dark Shadow, reaching for the marker at his throat. Parrying that, he spun to face an explosion to the face from Bakugou-kun, snarling and standing on Tetsutetsu’s shoulders.

Ah, teamwork. It was beautiful.


“Todoroki Shouto?"

“Pass, 90. He was a bit wobbly with his Quirk, but he seems to have a grasp on how to use it in rescue situations already.”

”Good. Hagakure Tooru?”

“Pass, 83. She’s a bit too reckless and it cost her valuable time and cover, but she’s able to finish her mission adequately.”

“We’ll have to see about her working with Mandalay specifically, then. Midoriya Izuku passes with a 92!”

“Ara, really? Hizashi was showing us pictures, you know-”

“He started talking about Quirk regulation in the middle of the exam . Monoma was panicking about the robots converging on Hagakure and Tokage while he just chatted .” Aizawa-kun paused, rubbing the bridge of his nose. “If it wasn’t for that and his tendency to hesitate, it would have been a perfect score.”

Huh. He’d have to talk to Inko and Hisashi about going out to dinner to celebrate, let the boys pick out where to eat. Glancing at Aizawa’s notes of the exam, he raised a brow. He’d also have to talk to Izuku about mixing in Intelligence with Apprehension- maybe see if Hakamata would be willing to talk to him?

Regardless, there was a satisfaction to him. His kits had done good.


Hisashi set the ceiling fan on fire when they got home. Good times.


The students all screeched at them for lying about who was allowed to go on the camping trip and who wasn’t but it didn’t stop them from being excited at the prospect, chattering about who would get what and what stores were best for equipment.

Toshinori glanced at his phone screen, message flashing at him. He was mostly just nervous, though he knew he shouldn’t be. Oh well.

It was sunny as he headed for the nearby cafe later that day during lunch, weaving through the crowds and ducking as he slipped through the doorway. The inside was cool, sounds of cups clinking and talk filtering to him. He nodded at the owner, taking a seat in the back where there was already one waiting.

Tomoko hugged him as soon as he was close enough, rubbing her cheek against his shoulder. She made a low noise in her throat, pulling back and staring at his side. He didn’t try to smile when she looked up at him, eyes wide and disbelieving.

“Toshi-chan…?”

“All for One, five years ago,” He murmured. “I thought it best to pull away, hence why we’re here now.”

Her look said exactly what she thought of that. He didn’t blame her. Luckily, she couldn’t berate him too much as the other three appeared, Chatora’s arms full of sweets and Ryuko and Shino carrying drinks. They arranged everything quickly, a good portion of the selection sugar-free, and they all settled in. Shino eyed the Number One critically as they did, frowning at whatever she saw there.

“So, Toshinori. What have you been up to?”

He debated being delicate or hiding it. Considered what he knew from Hakamata, Aoi, Toyomitsu.

“Well, I got a hole blown in my side and can turn into a rabbit now.”

Ryuko spit tea everywhere, coughing on some that had gone the wrong way. Toshinori grimaced as some dripped in his hair.

Lovely.


The four of them whisper-yelled at him for a full hour once the story was eked out. Ryuko called him a goddamn idiot while Shino asked if he had a death wish. He gave her the same answer he did Aoi and watched them physically suffer from his bad decisions in life.

“I’m sorry,” He said after the receipt had come, counting out bills and avoiding their eyes, “I know now I was- incredibly foolish, but at the time-”

“Toshi-chan, if you keep apologising for not being okay I’m force-feeding you durian.”

He quieted. Tomoko pat his hand, her own practically doll-like next  to it. Chatora snorted as she did, standing and readjusting his sunglasses.

“We’ll simply have to help in making sure you don’t slip back to that level once more, Yagi. I’m sure some of the others already know, so they’ll be glad to help.”

Out on the street he eyed the clouds, bemused and lost once more. “You all know you don’t need to put so much effort into this, right? I’m a grown man, I’m already healing. I don’t understand why you and the others are still worried when I’m getting better.”

“...” Ryuko carefully reached out and brushed his bang, gentle, before abruptly grabbing and yanking it. He most certainly didn’t screech, no matter what the women would say later.

“Caring doesn’t stop when you’re fine, dingus. We’re gonna do it whether or not you need a lot, a little, or no help.”

Huh. He smoothed his hair, blinking. Would Izuku, Inko, and Hisashi keep caring when he wasn’t a complete wreck anymore?

What was he saying-

Of course they would.


Toshinori listened to the children discuss supplies with half an ear, snorting when Kirishima-kun started riling them up and Kaminari-kun kept bringing up more and more wild things. Why on earth would they go on a trip that would require scuba gear? Not to mention some of their Quirks were completely useless in such a situation.

Inko and Hisashi listened to the boys talk about going to the mall during the week, and to Toshinori’s amused comments, and decided it probably wasn’t smart to leave them all to their own devices. It was asking for someone to drop ten thousand yen on something they wouldn’t even use or to be banned from multiple stores and put on probation as a customer.

There was a story behind that example, but both of them refused to explain it further. Toshinori assumed it had something to do with Hisashi and left it at that.

“Boys, why don’t I go with you? I promise to stay out of the way; I just want to make sure you’re getting what you need.” Inko said during dinner, stirring her noodles. The teens traded looks, Izuku’s brow furrowing.

“I mean, we should be fine, mom- if it comes to it, Iida-kun and Yaoyorozu-san will probably talk the others down from stuff like that-”

“Except if you get Tenya riled up enough he’ll join in,” Shouto-kun interrupted, shoving a carrot in his mouth,” And Yaoyorozu is too hesitant to be firm with idiots like Kaminari.”

Izuku opened his mouth, but he couldn’t deny it. Toshinori pat him on the back and said he was sure Inko would be able to help them some.


There were sunflowers on the porch. Toshinori leaned down and bent one towards him, fingering a petal and sniffing at it. It smelt like dirt and grass, the sun and outside. He smiled to himself and glanced around before lifting the pot, carrying it off.

They looked pretty by the bedroom window, already moving to face the sun. He wondered who left them, looking for a card. There was only a small piece of cardboard with the address of Inko’s office on it, their own stencilled on the front with a heart.

Huh. She must have had them delivered. He smiled down at them again, huffing. He’d mentioned once or twice that sunflowers were his favorite but for her to pay attention- it made his chest warm. He’d have to thank her in some way, maybe cook dinner? Or he could pick her up something from that bakery on the way home-

Toshinori paused.

When had domesticity become his… automatic, with them?

When had he become okay with it?

He quickly set the flowers back down. It wasn’t something to think about.


Hisashi kept glancing at the flowers as they got ready for bed, grinning. The irritating man wouldn’t explain why, only giggling at Toshinori when he asked. He finally threw a pillow at him in frustration, huffing.

It flying back at him started a small fight that ended in Inko yanking them apart by the shirts and smacking them both upside the head with her pillowcase. They both stopped, staring at her.

Shouto-kun glared at the three of them the next morning and told them they needed to soundproof their room.


Toshinori absently waved goodbye to Inko and the boys as they left for the mall, more focused on the responses he was reading. Hakamata had said he was willing to speak to Izuku, but also mentioned he was fairly sure the boy had a blood claim on him with how possessive Nighteye had been during the work study. He hadn’t even known the man had let the teen be seen by other heroes with how much paperwork he had him doing.

That and planning for the second semester kept him busy for the next hour until Hisashi slumped over him, groaning. He smelt like oil again, must have been spending time in the studio working on the latest commission; something for a graduating Yuuei student who needed higher-quality equipment, if he remembered right. He pat the man’s head, smiling when he leaned into it before grimacing to himself.

“Want to eat something and watch mindless game shows until Inko and the boys come back?”

Please.

He chuckled and got up, stretching before he grabbed the television remote. It was on the local news channel when he switched it on and he almost flipped it to another one before stopping, freezing.

The news reporter looked terrified as she talked about a hostage situation at the Wookiees mall, narrowly avoided thanks to the quick thinking of a Yuuei student.

Toshinori felt an ice pick slowly slide into his spine.

"...Three to one-"

"It's him."

The rush to their cellphones ended in Toshinori on the floor with a cracked nose and Hisashi frantically dialling, still half-lying on his back. It picked up within seconds and he started frantically babbling, tensing the further he got along until he relaxed all at once, collapsing completely on Toshi. Said blond grunted and nudged him off.

“And he’s-? Okay, I’m just making sure… I can’t say that’s surprising. You’ll be home after the police collect the report-? Okay. Okay. Love you too.”

He hung up the phone, sighing heavily. Toshinori leaned up on one elbow, looking at him as he absentmindedly reset his nose. He looked worn, absolutely exhausted, and Toshinori was sure he reflected some of the same. The scientist glanced at him and smiled weakly, rubbing at his face.

“Why is it my family always dealing with insane shit like this? The legal cases, USJ, that piece of shit you’ve been chasing, and now this. It’s like we’re cursed or something.”

Toshinori dragged him close and tucked his head under his chin, letting the man sniffle under his collarbone.

They’d be alright; for now though, he let the man break down against him and pull back together before the others arrived home.


The trio came home an hour later, Inko hustling the boys inside while she carried the bags, slamming the door closed and locking it with her Quirk. She looked- cold, a sort of fury that turned her chilly and severe, while Izuku was barely keeping up a calm face, twitching every so often and fingers a tangled mess. Shouto was tellingly blank, face shuttered against anything that may shake him.

He fled to his bedroom soon after they came home. No one stopped him. Hisashi was busy beelining for Izuku and Inko and Toshinori knew it was his sanctuary, somewhere they didn’t enter without permission.

Hisashi kept patting Izuku down and checking his neck in particular, turning it this way and that. From here Toshinori could see a slight rash on it, spots of irritation that hadn’t been there before.

Was it bad to want to demolish the villain that had put them there? Probably. Nevertheless, the feeling was there. He channeled it into looking the boy over, taking him aside and further into the house when Inko met his eyes and gave him a Look.

Izuku didn’t protest being pulled into his lap, shuddering and grabbing onto his shirt with one hand. Toshinori brushed hands through his hair and nuzzled him, hearing the muffled whispers of Inko and Hisashi in the other room. The boy was shaking like a leaf, he absently noted, seethed over. He wondered how close the villain had gotten and had to stop himself when steam started to rise up. He couldn’t afford to be angry right now.

“...Toshi- Toshi-nii.”

“Yes, Izuku?”

“That, the man, villain. He said something I don’t understand.” He flexed his fingers, staring at his hand. “When he was- when he started following me, I had to distract him before, so he couldn’t do anything. And I- I guess I did too well? Or not well enough, I don’t know, I’m missing infor- before he disappeared . He was muttering to himself. About how he thought he finally understood why ‘Sensei’ was interested in me. I- Sensei- do you think-?”

Toshinori felt his breath stop, quietly shudder out. Fuck.

Fuck.

Notes:

thelennystorm.tumblr.com
hayoho#5163

Chapter 14

Notes:

Hope anyone else in Florence is safe!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

There was a tenseness to everyone's shoulders, an uncomfortable waiting. Something more was coming, but they couldn't say what.


Izuku and Shouto-kun's bags were packed and they endured a last check-up well, Inko asking them repeatedly if they had everything, if their phones were charged, warning them to stay in contact. Toshinori hung back, texting Aizawa-kun. They would be on high-alert thanks to the mall incident.

"Boys." They turned, watching Hisashi come out of his studio. There were bags under his eyes but a fierce satisfaction to his face as he held out two small beads with pin backings. "These are beacons. You press them and they'll broadcast your location and record up to two hours of sound."

They took them without protest. It was a small weight off the three's minds, and he squeezed Hisashi's hand as they piled into the car, giving him a quiet look.

The man only smiled back as they started the car.


Aizawa-kun barked at the students as they shoved everything into the bus, making sure no one slammed into each other or mixed luggage. When he saw them he grimaced and glared at Izuku, beckoning him forward.

"Bag check. I'm not risking any surprises with you, Problem Child."

Toshinori snorted. Hisashi and Inko made no effort to reign in their chuckles. Aizawa looked at them like he blamed them for the hardships of life and went back to judging Izuku's supplies. That meant they were left with Shouto and Izuku, hesitating.

Toshinori said damn it all and grabbed the both of them, squeezing tightly. "Stay safe, and enjoy yourselves," He murmured. "Try not to antagonise Aizawa-kun too much."

Izuku hugged back, Shouto grunting and leaning against his shoulder. Hisashi and Inko did the same and then they were boarding the bus, gone for a whole week.

And then there were only three.


The good thing about patrols, he supposed, was that catching low-level thugs was so routine that he didn't need to focus while he did it. Which meant he could let his mind wander, thinking on whatever he wanted. Like, say, the confusing mess that was now his personal life.

What did he want? That was what Aoi had been emphasizing in therapy, whenever he would bring up duties or work or his own conflicts. Putting aside society, friends, family, what did he as a person want?

What did he want from Hisashi and Inko?

He contemplated it as he smiled at a reporter, waving off thanks for stopping a robbery. They lived together. Slept in the same bed. Shared worries, fears, desires between each other. Had practically started raising Izuku and now Shouto together. Were in each others' pockets, essentially.

And he was fine with that. Liked it even, the intimacy in most actions, an easy closeness that had been missing for half a decade.

The ringing question, though. Was that enough? Did he want more? To hold them, kiss them, be able to call them his dears? Was that necessary for their relationship?

But, he mused, it wasn't about obligation or necessity. It was about what would make him happy. Watching Hisashi light up, freckles like fireflies; make Inko giggle, cheeks rosy red. Waking up and peppering their faces with kisses until they shoved him off the bed, laughing. Being able to say Anata . Would that make him happy?

…Would they even want him?

He didn’t know. He couldn’t say , even with how close they were. Could he take that chance?

He’d have to think about it.


Your boy is insane , Chatora texted him a day into camp. It seemed to be a running occurrence no matter what he did.

What happened? Toshinori asked, and he sent him a blurry picture of Shouto sitting calmly in front of a screaming, immobilised Kouta.

He's giving him impromptu therapy as far as we can hear , he texted, and it's sort of sweet but also disturbing.

He's not mine , he texted back.

He is now.


He looked at Hisashi, considered "Sensei's" interest, and berated himself for the thought. It couldn't be, it wasn't possible, but. The unnerving tidbits added up to something he needed to investigate.

He knew he wouldn't find betrayal, at least. He had seen the disgust in the man's eyes, the fake cheerfulness at aching memories. That wasn't faked.

He asked Inko how Hisashi of all people ended up with the last name "Midoriya". She said he'd taken hers when they married since he hated his. Amused, she said she'd always thought it was too plain for him, too common; she was never able to see him as a "Saitou", even before they married.

Toshinori smiled past the cold in his gut and waited for her to leave for work before he collapsed in a chair, staring at nothing. Hisashi found him there an hour later, familiar familiar despite the kindness to his face, familiar despite the freckles and orange eyes. He didn't ask what was wrong as he frowned at Toshinori, tilting his face up.

"I know your grandfather," He said hoarsely, eyes fluttering, and Hisashi let go of his chin.

He knew him too.

It didn't make the horror any less unreal.


Inko didn't know, and they debated for a single moment not telling her. Then sense reentered their minds and they realised how fucking stupid that was. Instead, Hisashi called up her office, asking Oshiro-kun to prep her for bad news so she had some prior warning before coming home.

She destroyed two windows. Toshinori had the feeling they got off lightly.


They contacted the boys every night nervous, waiting for something to go wrong. Their instincts said something would, horribly wrong, devastatingly so.

Each night, nothing had happened, and their nerves frayed more.


Toshinori sighed, staring at the door of the room- the prison, really. The police had called him down here, hoping for… some help, he supposed. His experience with their “master” meaning he may manage better. Or something. He couldn’t say he understood, really, beyond the fact they definitely didn’t want to go near them. So here he was.

He pushed open the door tentatively, nodding to the guard still stationed. Inside it was much the same as it had been his first visit, except- the Noumu. They were in the corners of their cells now. Not blankly standing in place but curled up, into themselves, facing away from the doors, the faces that may peer in. He went to the nearest one and opened the door carefully. The being inside didn't so much as react, still curled up. He edged closer until he could crouch in front of them, eyeing the new skullcap, the dilated eyes.

He tentatively reached out to touch them, cringing as his hand touched leathery, black skin. The Noumu made a high-pitched whine, shivering under his hand. Tsuragamae-buchou had said the main component of this one had been a boy. No older than Izuku, likely younger if one didn't count the years as an abomination as "growing".

"Hello, young man," he murmured, "I don't know if you recognise me. My name is All Might. Do you understand?"

They made a lowing sound, shivering still. Their eyes were rolling under the artificial skull cap; it was still unsettling even with their brain covered.

" Ore- " They choked, shaking their head like a dog but the speech, pronoun- progress- "Tsubasa. Desu. Tsubasa. Tsubasa TsubasaTsubasa-"

"It's alright Tsubasa-kun," He soothed. "It's alright."

A name, a desperation. Something for them to chase while they figured out if they could erase any of this.


He eyed Hisashi more and more now. The new knowledge had shifted his view of him, maybe, made him seem less-

Nonchalant, maybe? Toshinori couldn’t say. It was something unnameable. But it was there, and it kept his eyes on him more, and it meant Toshinori noticed the laugh lines around his mouth, the grey to his hair, the light to his eyes. It meant he considered how kind the man was and utterly batshit half the time, making him laugh and worry in turn. He turned to Inko as well at some point, knowing they were a pair, unavoidable, and-

The softness to her curves, her proud smile whenever they impressed her, the utter terror she inspired when she was angry-

Ah, he was hopeless, wasn’t he?

He asked Naomasa after patrol if he knew a good flower shop, and ignored the squinty look the man gave him as he recommended a few. The cashier smiled knowingly at him as they cashed him out and he went home with his leg nervously jiggling, riding the train in silence. The flowers, a mix of lotuses and tulips, were carefully placed on the table as he scurried to the shower because nope not facing that head-on . When he came back, they had been put into a vase. He hadn’t even known they had any.

Well. You learned new things every day. Like what was actually in your house.

Inko asked if he'd- they’d - like to go out for dinner that night. He agreed and tried not to feel nervous as the three brushed elbows in their small booth. It was a giddy feeling.


Toshinori blinked dumbly at the news, Oshiro-kun trotting triumphantly out of the courthouse. The robber in his hand kept trying to struggle and beg in turn, and he absently tied the man up with his own weapon, pipe bending easily in his hands. The flavour text beneath the footage was still rolling, reading MOST CONTROVERSIAL COURT CASE OF THE YEAR FINALLY FINISHED; RAMIFICATIONS YET TO BE SEEN.

Well. Fuck. He'd completely forgotten about that.

He spent the rest of his patrol absent-minded. They hadn't talked about the court case at home much, if at all. Inko had given off the air she had it under control, and Hisashi had never seemed worry- and there was always the added aspect of trying to avoid making Izuku guilty. And well- it was a shut-and-close case, when one thought about it. The school and students had never made any effort to hide how they despised Izuku.

Finally in the evening he stepped into the genkan, calling out Tadaima as he took off his boots. There was an answering call in the living room, and he poked his head in to see Inko and Hisashi in pajamas already, glasses of wine in hand. There was a third sitting on the table, waiting.

Another thing he didn’t know they had. Unless they went out and got wine glasses today? Or Hisashi just made them in his studio, which was. Very likely. Hm.

He snorted and shook his head, slipping out of his costume to collapse on the sofa next to them, making Inko screech and send a few things in the air. He grinned unrepentantly as he grabbed his glass and sipped at it.

The duo grinned back, eyes red. That chapter was finally finished.


Toshinori stared at the email address, mocking him almost. He wanted to, oh he did , but the fear -

It swallowed him. This was the one thing he knew was shamefully, irrevocably his fault. No blaming it on pressure, or accidental conditioning, or anything like that. He had made his choice and pushed him away as a result.

He glanced back into the living room. Inko was cooing over the small plush he'd gotten that day, an old Sanrio cat he remembered her mentioning she liked at one point. He looked back at the laptop screen.

He needed to.

Swallowing and trying to keep his hands steady he typed out the email, backspacing far too many times. The final product was short, too short it seemed, and he stared at it for a long while as he hovered over the send button. He smashed the mouse before he could stop himself. It was sent.

Now to see if Osamu would respond.


Toshinori shot up in bed, blinking at the wall. Inko smacked his arm sleepily, mumbling about him not getting up.

He.

He was trying to get into the figurative bed of his nemesis' grandson.

Sweet fuck.

He shifted and spent the rest of the night in the window, trying to figure out what the hell his life was now. Hisashi and Inko only sighed when they found him in the morning and picked him up, carrying him around like a cat in their arms as they went about making breakfast.


 

All the kids were absolutely insane .

It had spread.

Shouto-kun texted him video of Bakugou sticking his hands in boiling water while Satou scarfed down what to be a pound of sugar, wrestling with Shishida-kun after bulking up. Yaoyorozu-chan had abandoned modesty and was making dollhouses spring from her chest, Uraraka-chan was making people float without so much as a warning, and the two Crimson Riot fans of the classes had apparently started a prank war that doubled as Quirk training at some point.

The only not moderately worrying things going on were that apparently Mineta-kun had apologised to some of the girls after walking in on them changing and Shouto had honest-to-god laughed for once, not some moody snort or hidden grin.

All in all, good progress if he got past the exasperation. And hilarious bait for when they were professionals and trying to pretend they hadn't done stupid things as students.


" It's- um- The Pussycats seem sort of. Attached to us? Pixiebob won't stop giving Shouto advice, and Ragdoll keeps dragging me over to groom my hair after training. "

Toshinori tried not to cough up his rice laughing. Goddamn .

"I er, may have mentioned taking you under my wing, my boy," He mumbled, snorting when Izuku whined. "Keep in mind they're like that with any of the old crowd's kids- Gang Orca's daughters are princesses whenever they drop by for a visit." He paused, considering. “You don't mind, do you?"

" I- no, but it makes feel weird! Like they're playing favourites. "

Hm. He thought about what he remembered of training with the four, and just how they'd treated him during spars. He winced at the phantom feel of blows.

"Believe me Izuku, they won't go easy on you."


There were only two days until the end of the camping trip, and maybe that lulled then into a false sense of security.

They headed to bed one night after a night out with their acquaintances, listening to Fermi goad Oshiro into screeching while Yamada and Kayama cackled over drinks and enjoying the silliness. Toshinori had wrapped himself around Hisashi without a second thought in the bar, smashing his face into curly locks and breathing in the smell of tinder. The man hadn’t minded, had pat his arm in return, and they’d kept that closeness all the way home, dragging Inko into the mix as they settled down. It was easy for them to fall asleep.

They awoke in bed to the sound of a piercing ringing, an alarm blaring for their attention. Hisashi dove for his phone, Toshinori for his costume, and Inko for the light.

Both boys had activated their beacon. Hisashi flipped the transmitter to Izuku's and they heard, garbled, damning,

" -Wants you alive, gods know why since you're just some Dead-End trash- but what the big man wants, the big man gets."

 

Notes:

thelennystorm.tumblr.com

Chapter 15

Notes:

Hey yall! Wanted to announce this. Fic updates will be going Standalone - Series/Multichaptered - Standalone. That means after this, there will be a random story, then FWOAN or another series/chaptered fic, then another random.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The first thing that came to mind, terrifying, disgusting, was a black body with an exposed brain and witless eyes, a green he knew intimately twisted to something fogged over as it attacked them, keened, begged for anything but this-

He couldn’t breathe at it, felt his hands twitch and his teeth grit and he needed to scream-

Toshinori didn’t. Nedzu watched him solemnly as the police and staff listened to Hisashi’s explanation and ensuing arguments. Inko was off by Tsukauchi, quietly relating what they’d told her. Toshinori, in civilian form, was curled in on himself, a “family friend” close enough to be involved.

Some friend, some fucking hero he was, letting this happen.


The children and heroes came back early in the morning, early enough to still be considered night. First responders took those in critical condition, downed by some dangerous gaseous Quirk, and the rest were looked over carefully for injuries. The doctors barked at any officer who approached and tried to take testimonies. Their patients weren’t to be hassled, no matter if- if one of them was fucking missing -

Toshinori didn’t approach either party. When he went near the students, built up into his All Might form, they parted like waves because it was All Might wasn’t it? That was different- So he went near the children and he. Did a lot of things, to be honest.

For some of them he simply sat by their side, watching their monitor beep as they slept. Others needed a quiet figure as they waited for their parents, terrified and in pain and surrounded by people brusque thanks to fury, a figure that would be reassuring and soft to the sharp edges of the adults around them. Some needed someone to talk at, and he did that too. Let them go on with little interruption until they collapsed in tears or heavy breathing or sleep.

Shouto-kun-

Toshinori walked in to him arguing with the nurse and trying to escape his bed. The teen froze when he noticed him, chest heaving and lacerations stark against his skin. Toshinori looked at him steadily, waiting. Just waiting.

The teen fell back against his pillows.

The nurse looked at him in thanks, but it wasn’t for her. Eventually she left once he had been checked over and hooked into whatever machines they had, and the two were alone. He probably should have checked for cameras but he’d stopped caring hours ago, letting steam roil around him as his body shifted back to normal. It was nothing to collapse into the chair by Shouto’s bed, nothing to run his hand through his hair and sigh. It was a trial to look Shouto-kun in the eyes.

“What happened?” He asked quietly. Shouto pursed his lips, closed his eyes, and then.

Fire burst out in an arc, ice coating the bed, and the teen’s fists were clenched as he glared at nothing, eyes glowing. Toshinori didn’t move as it flared, peaked, and then died out as Shouto’s chest heaved.

“They attacked during a team exercise,” He grit out, “When we were separated and away from the teachers. They- we didn’t expect it. I was with Izuku and Tenya, and it just-”

He broke off. Toshinori hunched over, remembering What the big man wants, the big man gets.

“They went after Izuku,” He said softly, and Shouto nodded his head tightly. “They went after him because someone ordered them to?”

“That’s what they implied. There were- five, six of them? All villains, except for one- some girl the same age as us.” He curled his fingers, staring at them. There were burns and patches of damaged skin all over them, signs of the boy having exerted himself. “I tried to stop them, but- I couldn’t. I should have been able to, he was- he tried-”

He cut the boy off before he could continue, flinching, picturing despite his wishes. “You’re one student, Shouto. You can’t stop five villains with a few of your classmates, much less by yourself.”

The teen didn’t look up. That was alright. Toshinori didn’t need him to as he reached over, dragging him close despite his protests. The teen wasn’t attacking or actually pulling away, and it meant Toshinori didn’t stop as he engulfed him in his arms, holding tight.

He shuddered once, but didn’t cry. Toshinori still held him as they tried to smooth out their jagged edges.


“Toshi-chan, why are you so big? You shouldn’t be so big, it makes you hurt bad.”

He looked bemusedly at Yawara, wrapped around Tomoko. The other man shrugged, tipping his head at the IV hooked to her arm. Right. She must have been on the good shit right now. He obliged though, shifting back to his default form and making her squeal in delight. She giddily grabbed his arm and hugged it while the others in the room made various noises of amusement.

Tomoko settled, he looked to Shino. She had been one of the most involved, relaying messages among the students and heroes. She was curled around Kouta-kun, who had fallen into the sleep of those emotionally exhausted, unable to go on. According to the authorities, he was lucky to be alive. Muscular was among those who had attacked, taken down by a terrified Kuroiro, Tokoyami, Shouji, and Komori. They’d lead the villain around using their Quirks to disorientate him, and when they’d reached one of the forest’s cliffs, Shouji had-

Well.

It was self-defence, and they would never tell the children the outcome.


Everything was eked out from the students, those just waking up and those coming down from panic attacks. Group activities, as they had said, students splitting up into small teams or stuck with the teachers in remedial classes while the Pussycats supervised. They’d been in the middle of it when multiple areas had been attacked.

They key thing was- there was no lasting damage. Not quite. Some would certainly need to stay in the hospital a while, and others wouldn’t be able to overexert themselves for quite some time, but none were dead. None had been crippled. They’d been…

Played with.

And they’d realised at some point, listening to the villains talk, that they had a purpose. One besides tormenting civilians, at least. They’d come for one of the students under the orders of someone else, for unspecified reasons.

They’d come for Izuku. And now the boy was gone and multiple people were injured. But there was one thing they couldn’t stop, couldn’t have predicted.

Izuku’s transmitter was still active.


“It has to be him.”

Toshinori looked at Hisashi, slumped over in his chair. They were waiting in a meeting room, police and other heroes convening outside before they came in to declare their plan of attack. There were no cameras. Toshinori didn’t hide the worry in his face.

“Would he know?”

Hisashi didn’t answer for a time, fingers tangling with each other as he stared at nothing. Inko placed her hand carefully over them, separating them. There were fingernail indents in the skin, red against white.

“...Izuku has my face,” He eventually said, smiling with wet eyes, and it was enough. With the Sports Festival, it was enough. Toshinori closed his eyes at the thought, and let his persona flow back over him as the doors opened and the others came in. It wasn’t something to dwell on right now. Not truly. For now they just needed to focus on getting their boy back.

Going by the transmitter he was hours away, in a small ward of Yokohama; pinpointing the exact location lead to two locations, his transmitter flitting between them occasionally. The first was an old bar, name on the lease something generic that pulled up thousands of results. The second was a small apartment owned by someone named Saitou Yoshiro, a name that resulted in no less than three hundred results in the identification registry. Toshinori knew it though, through word of mouth and contemptible whispers from All for One.

It was that fucker, no doubt about it now. Knowing this, they’d need an attack plan now, one as airtight as they could manage.

He refused to let them go without him.


They went home at six in the morning, utterly exhausted with barely a plan laid out. Toshinori drove, barely able to keep his eyes open. Inko and Hisashi were both in the back seat, curled around each other. When they finally went to bed he lingered behind as they stumbled to the bedroom, collapsing on the living room couch and staring at the ceiling.

He should have seen this coming with all the hints there had been. Should have prepared, told Aizawa-kun and Kan, told Izuku to be prepared, gone with them even , but he hadn’t.

He let himself shrink, fur covering him, and curled in on himself. He didn’t sleep as the sun crested the horizon and climbed into the sky. He didn’t bother moving at all until Inko trudged out of the room, bags under her eyes and a slump to her shoulders. Then he transformed back and began a kettle of tea, setting aside a bottle to add a kick if she wanted.

It was the least he could do.


Osamu called.

Correction: Osamu called the Midoriyas. He probably had no idea Toshinori was there. But he was offering to help in finding Izuku up until Hisashi said they had a tracker on him. Then he asked for updates when possible and told them to be careful.

It was surreal, realising the man had grown attached enough to Izuku to keep in contact- though maybe it wasn’t, really. Toshinori knew Izuku had kept in contact with Toogata-kun, and he was a bright boy. It wasn’t a surprise that he impressed the man enough for him to.

Maybe it was the emotional aspect. The man reaching out after so many years of-

It wasn’t important. He’d think about it when this was all over.


They reconvened the next day, this time without the Midoriyas. Toshinori fidgeted in his seat as conversations went on around him, arguments, planning. He would be taking the forefront of the attack, as was usual, accustomed. They knew the location, knew the enemies somewhat- who else could it be but All for One, revealed to the authorities once more- so they simply needed their team and their movements. But of course, no one could agree, seeing it as too little force, too much, too stacked on infiltration, too focused on heavy-hitters. At one point he gave up and just started spacing out, letting conversation wash over him.

“All Might-san?” He perked up, glancing at the officer across from him, multitude of eyes drooping in nervousness. She held out the list of willing heroes, frowning. “Who do you think should be placed on the team?”

He blinked, a shadow of his normal smile on his face. “Ah, wouldn’t it be better for you all, being so much more experienced with kidnappings-”

“You’ve fought this villain since the beginning of your career, sir. You have the most experience.”

Huh. That he did. It was strange people actually… acknowledging that. It was strange him acknowledging that. He gently took the paper from her, looking at the list of those contacted. The Top Ten, as was usual for these sorts of things, as well as Eraserhead and the Pussycats, sans Ryuko. Sakamata, and a good portion of the Yuuei staff. So many people, for one student. He ran his thumb over the names, mind static.

“...In such a personal space, it’s unlikely he’ll be allowing anyone but himself and Midoriya-kun into the apartment. The bar is probably his organisation's meeting space, however, meaning there will be a large concentration of villains.” He stopped at the last on the list, pursing his lips.

“Mandalay should play intermediary between the two areas. There’s enough space between the locations that she should be able to reach us. Tiger, Endeavor, Sakamata, and Midnight should go to the bar, able to disable the larger group quickly, while Eraserhead, Hawks,  and I should head for the apartment.”

“O-only you three, All Might-san? That sounds-”

“Suspicious or stupid, pick one. It’s idiotic that you would be the traitor, which means you’re idiotic for wanting us to go alone.” They looked en masse to Aizawa-kun. He looked tired in his chair, bandages covering the burns that hadn’t been healed and the slump to his shoulders more than his usual droop. The look he gave Toshinori was probably the coldest since the beginning of the semester, but Toshinori didn’t back down.

“Aizawa-kun. Shouta. This is a man whom my predecessors haven’t been able to take down for over a century thanks to his Quirks and mind, and we’ve known him best. If the three of us with your Quirks and my familiarity can’t take him down, what will more people do?”

Aizawa couldn’t argue, and he knew it. It wasn’t like they even meant to take him down- their main objective was to rescue Izuku and get him the hell out of there. So they positioned and repositioned and planned for the absolute worst, and decided on the night after the next to begin the battle.


Yamada-kun was muttering about a traitor once only the staff was left, how there had to be a leak somewhere among them. Toshinori eyed his peers and thought Well. If there was, I would have been dead long ago, wouldn’t I?


"I want to go with you. I- I know him, I can help I’ve got my inventions-"

Toshinori slumped against the couch and watched Hisashi pace, Inko fruitlessly trying to get him to stop. This had been going on for ten minutes at this point.

"Hisashi, you've told me multiple times you never understood him. and you're only a civilian."

"Who gives a fuck? I can be dangerous, I can fight, you’ve seen the shit I’ve helped Izuku refine, it’s not like I wouldn’t be able to manage it and it’s my fucking kid, my shitty family that’s- -” Hisashi stopped dead. Hiccupped, breath coming out with puffs of smoke. “I’m sorry. I shouldn't yell, I'm sorry. I’m sorry this is my fault I should have said something I should have taken us across the fucking globe so he couldn’t touch us-

Toshinori tsked, shuffling forward and boxing the shorter man in with Inko’s help, dragging him to the couch so he couldn’t collapse on the floor. They wrapped their arms around him, resting their heads where they could.

“Darling, please. Please. It’s bad enough Izuku and Toshinori are involved, that Izuku’s- that he was taken. I can’t risk losing you too.”

Hisashi sobbed, tears finally falling. He couldn’t say how long they sat there until they drifted to the bedroom Hisashi cocooned between them as they slept. Toshinori didn’t leave this time. He couldn’t, with the grip the man had on his hand. He forced himself to drift off, close to the both of them in some small gesture of comfort.

It was the least he could do.


Toshinori breathed in best he could as he and the other heroes checked and rechecked their supplies. The air was warm and humid, making them break into sweat despite the quiet. He wiped his forehead and felt very, very cold.

Off to the side he could see Enji, dead silent as he waited for the operations to begin. He was in something less… flashy than usual, his costume adjusted to allow for more stealth. There were lines under his eyes that hadn’t been there before.

Despite the fact the majority of them had been in the same class in school, no one approached him.

Toshinori checked his phone one last time before he left it with Tomoko. Inko and Hisashi said Shouto was still with them, and the other students with parents out of town closely monitored. They couldn’t risk them, god forbid, trying to “help”. They certainly were insane enough to.

“Oi, All Might!” He glanced up, saw Hawks approaching him with a beleaguered-looking Aizawa-kun. The Number Three hero grinned at him, hands in his pockets. Toshinori made careful note of the tense line to his shoulders and shade to his eyes. “I’m glad to be personally working with you. Akiyama Asuka, never Aki.”

Toshinori startled. “Your-? Are you truly alright telling me that?”

The young man- really still a teen, all things considered- looked at him incredulously, one wing shuffling. “You’re All Might. Should I be worried about sharing things like that?”

He-

Hm.

Toshinori quirked a small smile, half-sheepish, half-wry. “Pleased to meet you, Akiyama-san.” He hesitated for one second, but, well. Fuck it all, at this point, and burn the bridges. “Yagi Toshinori, and feel free to call me by my given name in private.”

Akiyama blinked, cocking his head, smile still there. “Will do, big guy. Now, when are we getting this on the road?”

Toshinori sighed, cleared his throat and stood tall. The rest of the heroes turned to him, police perking up. He looked at them all and tried to feel more than apprehension. Something was off. He knew it. But they needed to go forward, before it was too late.

“Everyone! I urge you, do not go forwards tonight apprehensive! We shall complete what we endeavored to coming here, and by the end of the night, Midoriya-kun will be out of their hands, through their submission or not!

“The light will prevail over the dark, and we shall win! Plus Ultra!”

There wasn’t so much cheering as a wave of breaths taken in, blazing eyes and firmer stances. He looked out amongst the faces and nodded once, arm raised. When he shot it down, sending a gust of air, it was the signal. They marched out at once, heading for the bar a kilometre away, the one Izuku wasn’t supposed to be at right now but they couldn’t take any chances.

Toshinori looked at the figures of Aizawa, Akiyama, Shino, Tomoko beside her and quietly watching the monitors.

Now was the time for war, and they were marching right into a trench filled with traps. He could only hope their armor was strong enough to withstand them.

Notes:

come yell >> thelennystorm.tumblr.com

Chapter Text

The plan was a haphazard one, relying on All for One knowing they were coming, relying on the fact they would be outpowered. They couldn’t expect last-minute miracles, and they wouldn’t, not this time.

The apartment building was quiet as they scaled the stairs, few residents to it besides Saitou Yoshiro and a few night owls. Any who may have been in the building had long since been evacuated, the neighboring buildings also emptied. It was a quiet process, civilians warned that making noise would put them in danger. A necessary deception, for them to have the smallest advantage.

All for One likely already knew they were in the building, but it was the principle of it, the need not to cause panic. If he retaliated, he’d do it in a huge way, the fucking ham, which would domino into the whole goddamn city panicking, and they didn’t need that. So silent they evacuated, and quietly they went up.

“You said they’ll be broadcasting at nine?”
Aizawa-kun grunted behind him. “It’ll be on just about every news channel available. They’re going to claim I’m too injured to show up.”

Good. A distraction, if paltry.

“Do we even know why he took the kid?” Akiyama murmured, wings fluttering. “The file we were given says he’s got high grades and had some publicity already, but there weren’t any red flags. Even the Quirk thing usually flies under villains’ radars.”

Toshinori hesitated, but this wasn’t his to share, not like his name. And an association like that- it wasn’t something you wanted known anyways.
“...Saitou has a personal vendetta against me,” He said, “And the Midoriyas associate with my secretary and I. Ergo.”

Akiyama made a noise of understanding and then they couldn’t talk anymore, reaching the last landing. Apartment 523 was innocuous, a blank nameplate on the door and small flower sticker above it.

...Huh.

He nodded to the window at the end of the hall, glancing at Hawks, who set out. He’d be going to the window outside the apartment, slipping in to corner on all sides. Toshinori had debated going through the vents in his other form, but the possibility of them being too difficult to open wasn’t permissible, and if this whole thing came to a stop because he was stuck in the fucking air conditioning , then he really didn’t deserve to call himself Number One.

So they went through the front door, like civilized people.

When he went to open the door Toshinori could hear voices rising and falling and he paused. It was a quick thing to shift his ears even if Aizawa jumped, and he pressed one to the door carefully, listening as words became clearer.

“... it worse! Can you really tell me you’ve helped the Quirkless, or people with ‘evil’ Quirks?

Oh goddamnit, Izuku.

But then there was a thump, the sound of shattering glass, and Izuku and Saitou both jumped, a high-pitched screech running out. Toshinori forced the door open to see a hail of feathers all targeting All for One, circling round Izuku like water parting round a stone. Saitou of course avoided them like it was nothing, ballooning his arm into a makeshift shield as he turned to look at Toshinori with missing eyes, a ruin of a face.

“Ah, you’re here. Good, then we can begin.”

There was no way to get out a response, attack, dive for Izuku as black sludge quickly enveloped him. The last thing he saw was Saitou’s snarling face, scars wrinkled to a glare.


“Do you know how many injuries that boy has had since he began education at Yuuei?”

Toshinori came to in a dim room, sound echoing, lying on the ground. He had shifted back to his default form at some point and his costume hung off his frame, still loose despite the progress.

He looked up to see Saitou sitting cross-legged on the floor beside him. Everything was slow, surreal, and he blinked dumbly at the man. He didn’t seem to care for a response, tapping his hand against his knee.

“Two  broken arms. A torn tendon that took days to heal. Bruises, cuts, a concussion at one point thanks to a mishap during a spar.” He hummed, a nonchalant sound. “Can you tell me. How is this better than before?”

Toshinori breathed in, struggled to force the words out of his throat. It was a battle to move. “Hhh. C’n d’fn’ ‘mself-”
“He could do that before. How is putting himself into a Quirked world that will kill him better?”

“-w’n’t be h’m doin’ the k’ll’n.”

All for One didn’t respond to that. Only tapped tapped tapped at his knee, sat on the dirty floor and got his suit mussed. His oxygen machine was the only noise for a while as he sat and Toshinori watched, taking in the changes. The elegant gentleman from the past centuries was gone, leaving a ravaged monster.

"You know." The sound of the breathing tubes was loud in the warehouse, crackling. "I didn't keep tabs on Shi-chan because he asked. He didn't know what I did of course, but he knew I was able to. And he didn't want me to. So I abided his wishes. Until Izuku-kun was registered as the top in class. Until he came first in the Festival.

"Until you appeared with them on outings, practically flaunting it while you walked around." He tilted his head down, looking as though he were staring right at Toshinori. “Do you know how much danger you put them in? How much attention you draw with just your civilian name, paraded around as All Might’s secretary? What if Inko and Hisashi are harmed? What if Izuku is kidnapped? Crippled? Killed, because you decided to play house?”

Toshinori twitched violently. He could feel One for All react in him, waiting.

“Woul’ i’ h’ve bee’ any diff’ren’ if you stay’ roun’?”

Yes. Because I can protect them, and you never could. ” Another twitch, another arc down his spine. Saitou’s hand finally stopped tapping, resting on his knee with a tight grip. The cryptid sighed, shaking his head. “Honestly, I shouldn’t bother trying to speak to you. You users have always been the same. Always self-sacrificing, always boorish. Always stubborn.” He lifted his hand, reached out and placed it on Toshinori’s head. “At least it will end with you. The one smart decision you made was not passing on that Quirk to Izuku.”

For a single millisecond his hand raced with heat but then Toshinori breathed out in a great whoosh, let steam flare around him as Saitou made a noise of surprise and bounded away on clumsy feet, going as fast as he could and jumping off wall, crate, beam.

“I see Tomura wasn’t making up stories.” Toshinori half-shifted to All Might, stood on strong legs as he glared at All for One. The villain stood, cracking his neck. “Why don’t we get this over with, if you’re going to insist on being troublesome?”

His arms ballooned, Toshinori shifted his feet, and they dove to each other.


Pain screaming Izuku fighting to break away from Aizawa-kun to help-

Toshinori spat, the taste of iron on his tongue, blinking away blood from his eyes. The skin on his left arm was in tatters and there was an unnerving ringing to his ears, but he still stood from where he had been pushed, still summoned back the power of One for All and glared at Saitou. The cryptid was listing to one side, his underlings unconscious or screaming in their bindings, the grey-haired one trying particularly hard. Unluckily for him, Aizawa-kun had arrived, location pinpointed and relayed by Mandalay. Unlucky for them, even injured and disadvantaged as he was, Saitou was still a monster in human skin.

“This is karma isn’t it, for taking away your precious master and her family?” All for One wheezed out, parodying a grin. “An eye for an eye. I take a mother and grandson and you take my own.”

Grandson- but it wasn’t something to think about, no matter the chill down his spine, the possibilities therein. Instead he spat again, took a large breath, and dove forward.

Punch, parry, roll, glide, it was a dance that echoed in each step with pain, exhaustion, panic, and he kept trying to strike vital points because he couldn’t afford to do anything else but Saitou, the fuck, avoided him each time. It was an eternal dance-

-But then the man ducked forward as he punched, punch sending a sonic blast into the space between arm and chest as the villain grabbed him by the neck and increased the strength in his arm by ten.

His chest heaved as fingers gripped and hugged tighter and tighter, as he was lifted into the air even as he kicked forward and surely dealt blows, as he heard hateful whispers, felt the contempt-

Izuku screamed, and Toshinori could see him in the corner of his eye, but it wasn’t him to serve as his salvation, not with Shouta holding him captive as he stared down the albino. No. It was six pinion feathers, cold as they flew through the air and pierced no less than two non-vital organs and one singular, wide breathing tube.

All for One dropped him and Toshinori wheezed, gripped at his throat and pinned the man so he couldn’t somehow retaliate despite the grievous injury. With the trouble he’d no doubt be having breathing it was doubtful he’d be moving anytime soon, though.

Shigaraki was screaming in the background and there was the sound of a helicopter rotor, but he ignored them all. He could only watch Saitou as his vision went blurry and blurrier, not so much as blinking.

The man wouldn’t escape now. This would be finished, no matter how long it took. So he sat and watched as he swayed, watched as the helicopter landed and the emergency responders took those in need of immediate medical attention or apprehension, and watched as most the heroes finally relaxed and began to ensure no civilians were left in the destroyed surrounding area.

It was when Izuku finally came up to him, Aizawa-kun behind him and Saitou being loaded into a stretcher looking like Hannibal Lecter, that he allowed himself to go unsteady. To falter, miss a few steps. He looked at his boy, relatively untouched beyond circles under his eyes, and looked at his friends, weary and injured but still very alive. Victorious.

It was done.

It was done.

He smiled and wrapped his arms around Izuku, hugging him tight before he finally went into that numb darkness.

Chapter Text

There was a hand running through his hair. It was careful, teasing tangles smooth and tucking back ends, gentle. He chirruped and leaned into it, whining when it stopped.

“Bunny? You awake?” The voice that spoke was hoarse, ridged with the scratch that only came from yelling for hours on end. Toshinori opened his eyes slowly, wary of the light that shone in the room and the smell of antiseptic. He knew where he was, knew hospitals intimately ever since that battle, so he knew to be careful with his eyes against the blinding fucking white that most had.

Hisashi sat close enough for his knees to be cramped up against the bed. His hair looked messier than usual and his eyes were rimmed in red, face pale. He was in his pajamas, faded Pussycats grinning at Toshi.

“Hisashi,” He murmured, but the other man shook his head sharply, and Toshinori quieted. They stayed like that for a bit, Hisashi watching him as he stroked his hair. Toshinori slowly took stock of his body, what ached and what conspicuously didn’t, the things he could feel. There were bandages wrapped around his arm and his neck was oddly numb, a sign there’d been enough damage they did something to it.

He could breathe. He could speak, and his side wasn’t flaring in agony. Hisashi didn’t look as though he’d been decimated and put back together, which meant Izuku must be alright. So he opened his mouth to speak again, jumping when Hisashi carefully but firmly pressed his hand to it.

“Don’t.” He breathed in shakily, closing amber eyes. “Don’t- you. Just don’t, Toshinori. Don’t try to justify this, ask how the others are doing, if I’m okay.”

The blond carefully tipped his head, reaching up and removing Hisashi’s hand. “...Am I alright?”

“You have a concussion, damage on your right arm bad enough they had to regrow the skin, and you’re only able to talk because Shuzenji-sensei likes you.” Ah. That was why he was so angry. Toshinori tapped his fingers, but he didn’t open his mouth again. There wasn’t quite a way to reassure the inventor, and well- he didn’t see much point in justifying what happened. They knew the risks, and he’d known what may happen when he first went on the rescue. They were honestly lucky he came back in one piece.

“Do you know how devastated we would be?” He blinked, refocusing on Hisashi. The man was watching him with a laser intensity, lips pursed and something to his face he couldn’t read. Hisashi leaned forward slightly, crowding him to the headboard. “Do you even realise - I thought you had, you made so much progress, acted like it- talked like it- but then you go and do something so irrevocably fucking stupid-

He shuddered, and Toshinori realised numbly, too late, that there were tears going down his cheeks. He leaned forward, cupped the brunet’s face in some weak attempt to comfort. Hisashi went into his hand, nudging back and back until they were in each other’s space, breaths mingling. Ever so gently, Toshinori bumped their foreheads together.

Hisashi’s lips were warm and chapped as he closed the distance. Cracked but soft, the slightest taste of toothpaste as Toshinori leaned back for air and licked his own, and it hit him that he shouldn’t be doing this as much as he wanted to, he was courting the couple and one half didn’t know-

"Didn't you say we should wait until the holidays?"

They spent five minutes trying to put out the small fire that was Toshinori’s shirt. Inko apologised profusely and ran her hands down his chest to make sure none of it burnt him. When all was said and done she sat on the edge of his bed while he avoided her eyes and Hisashi tried not to look embarrassed.

“Toshinori.”

“I- I apologise-”

She covered his mouth with her hand, smiling as he blinked. She slid it down to his chin and tugged him forward, pecking him on the cheeks, lips, the spot between his brows.

“Do you really think one of us would do something like this without both of us being onboard?”

Oh.

Well then.


Toshinori got to see Izuku an hour later, the hysteric boy lead by an exasperated Kenichi and blank Shouto. The elderly man eyed Inko and Hisashi close by his bed. Toshinori smiled and didn’t say anything about Inko having to slide off into the spare seat from where she’d been nestled under his arm.

Toshi-nii-

Toshinori wheezed as Izuku barrelled into him, burying his head in his chest. The man sighed and pat him, drawing him closer. He didn’t even want to think of how much he’d terrified the boy, going up against Saitou. It was over, and that was most important.

“Toshi-nii?”

He glared at Kenichi. The man only leered back. Fucker.

“How is everyone?”

Well as they could be, it seemed. With all the supervision, none of the children were able to sneak off, though some undoubtedly wanted to, and the only one in any danger was Izuku. The professionals… Endeavor had third-degree burns of all things, Kayama multiple lacerations from some sort of knife. Sakamata was severely dehydrated and Shino had been attacked at one point as she kept relaying information, but there was nothing permanent. They were all in one piece, didn’t need to go on extended leave. They came out of it almost unscathed, all things considered.

“It’s amazing how well this actually went,” He mused, poking at the bowl of rice the nurse had given him. “I would have expected some horrible catastrophe with how things usually go.”

“Maybe it helped that you actually told people things instead of using them as springboards,” Kenichi said, because of course he had been looking over the mission report. Toshinori winced, because he. Wasn’t exactly wrong, per se.

“Another thing you’ve improved on then,” Hisashi said, nabbing his flan because having no stomach didn’t quite allow for sugar. Toshinori hummed and shoved a chunk of rice in his gob.

“How bad is the media coverage?”

All four of them paused, and he sighed. Of course.


Toshinori turned on the television. There was a reporter with a worried expression, splash image of him with a bloodied costume and dead face next to them.

Toshinori turned off the television.


“I really love you,” He murmured later, as dark settled and the reality of everything hit him. Izuku lay next to him, sleeping peacefully. Toshinori pet his head as the boy slept by his side. “And that terrifies me slightly. I don’t think I’ve been this close to someone since Osamu.”

“I don’t think it’s strange to be a little terrified,” Inko whispered back. Hisashi was curled up next to her, dozing finally after what must have been days. “I was terrified when I first realised I was in love with Hisashi. And I was scared when I realised the same with you, until I talked to him. And then we were both just trying to figure out how to win you over.”

Toshinori smiled a little. Maybe it was human to be scared. An instinctual reaction to something that may break you. But maybe it was what you did and felt after that mattered most. And right now, he mostly felt…

Settled. Like he hadn’t made a mistake, this wasn’t some majour misstep mired in selfishness. It was just three people trying to be happy and knowing the risks, and there was nothing wrong with that.

Aoi would be ecstatic, he mused. Then he leaned over and pecked Inko on the cheek, grinning as she giggled. He could do that now. Goddamn.


“You’re alright.”

Toshinori glanced wryly at Shouto-kun, perched in a chair and staring intently.

“Yes, I am, though I’ll need to be careful for a few weeks so I can heal.”

The teen nodded decisively. There was an awkward pause before he cleared his throat, glancing away.

“It’s good you’re alright. Izuku was worried.”

Sure he was. Toshinori huffed and asked the boy how his sister was doing, ignoring the stark relief on his face. He wasn’t cruel enough to push the boy. It was good enough he was coming out of his shell some.


 

There was. A lot to unpack, really.

All for One was defeated. Not in the way he had been Before, before the injury and before Nana’s last battle. With his oxygen cut off in the last battle he’d been left without enough flowing to his brain for at least ten minutes until paramedics arrived. He was as good as brain-dead at this point.

So. He really didn’t need to pass on One for All now.

But he also needed to consider where he would head from this point. Finally watching the footage, it was obvious to him he wasn’t up to par with where he used to be as a hero. Oh, he functioned well, got the job done in the end, but it was obvious he wasn’t the unbreakable pillar of power he pretended to be anymore. And people would notice that.

And so he needed to do something about that.

He vehemently did not want to even think about that.

So he didn’t, instead focusing on all the students piling in for well wishes, not even blinking at his appearance. He nearly had a heart attack when Shouto-kun appeared with Iida-kun and Uraraka-chan, who almost buried him in flowers and chocolate.

“You- you two- SHOUTO-”

“You are a bit obvious, All Might-sensei.” He stared at Uraraka in betrayal. She smiled sheepishly and handed him another bouquet. “We haven’t said anything, we promise! No one but some of 1-A has noticed, I think. Anyways! This is from Aoyama-kun! He says his uncle sends his congratulations?”

The bundle of sunflowers were huge, and he sniffed at them. Huh.

Now who the hell had been gossiping?
...Tomoko, you traitor.


"T-. All Might-san. You're doing well."

Toshinori felt justified in screeching and almost falling over, scaring the nurse who had been poking at the shadows on his face. He turned sheepishly-reluctantly- fearfully to the door.

Osamu stared stonily back, and damn if the temperature didn't drop.

"A-ah, O-Sir Nighteye! It's. Good to see you!"

Another chill. The nurse cleared her throat and bustled out, muttering at her clipboard. Toshinori tried not to beg for her to stay. With her gone Osamu stepped further in the room, pushing the door shut slightly.

It was silent. Toshinori stared at the thread of his sheet and counted down the seconds, minutes, habit ingrained after five years. He wondered what Osamu would say if he powered down right now. He wondered if he would be resentful.

"I saw the battle." He startled, glancing up. "You performed admirably as usual, despite nearly getting yourself killed. Again."

"...I wouldn't have done it if not for everyone's help," He replied, and it was an honest thing. Osamu could tell, he thought, lips turning ever-so-slightly down.

"What's your limit now? Two hours? One? Or have you worked yourself to the bone-"

"Six." Osamu froze. "It's- six hours, Osamu."

He finally looked away, clearing his throat. Steam curled around Toshinori's fingers.

"That's- good. Good ."


Six hours, up from four, down from five seven ten fifteen twenty-four. Toshinori looked at his hand, curling with smoke and humming with energy.

He pressed the call button for a nurse, and asked how long it would be until he could be discharged.


There was. A large amount of anger when he was finally discharged. Not from the Midoriyas or the public, no, but rather-

“What the FUCK were you thinking, Toshinori?”

Ai- Shouta? Shouta was seething as he held Toshinori by the collar, shaking him as viciously as he could without Hisashi setting him on fire or agitating injuries. Which wasn’t very hard.

“Aa, well-”

“He wasn’t,” Hisashi chimed in, because he was an asshole and liked seeing Toshinori punished. Shouta’s focus abruptly switched to him and he narrowed his eyes, scowling.

“Weren’t you supposed to keep him reined in?”

“Weren’t you supposed to-”

Inko covered Hisashi’s mouth. It was for the best.


Going home was a relief, the tension of being around others who didn’t know and being in the hospital with its white walls and antiseptic, small spaces and bad memories encroaching on him until he was around like a spring. When they finally stepped back into the house, Toshinori kicked his shoes off and shifted in one movement, leaping onto the couch with a bound. Inko laughed and rubbed his belly as he rolled around the cushion, pushing him when he nearly went over the edge.

The boys went off to their rooms and Hisashi to the kitchen and they all wound down, escaping the tension and feeling human again. Around dinnertime Izuku came back into the living room with a draftbook and Toshinori shifted back, throwing his robe on as the boy sat in front of him.

He watched idly as Izuku showed his newest analyses- already turned into the police- and contemplated how to turn them to equipment. The boy really was growing into his own. It was a relief to see hope in the next generation, an assurance things wouldn't go awry.

He held open the roll of paper Izuku handed him and hummed.

When would they begin and he end, was the question?


Naomasa held a cigarette in hand, the second since Toshinori had arrived. The papers sprawled in front of them weren't packed with information or heavily censored or anything like that- hell, there was barely anything on them.

"We took DNA on all of them. Toga Himiko is a girl from Nagasaki, daughter to Toga Hiroto and Toga Sora. Twice is a felon who was on probation until he disappeared. Shigaraki Tomura-" He cut himself off, shaking his head. When he didn't continue Toshinori pulled the papers over, searching for those characters.

Shigaraki Tomura was a mystery, the only clue they had to his lineage an offhand comment that may have just been gaslighting. It meant they tested his blood against every database they had, trying to find some connection, an explanation for this human that All for One had managed to desecrate and who’d caused so much destruction. They'd even tested him against the other villains.

And they'd come up with a small match to the cryptid asshole. Small enough he couldn't be a direct descendant, couldn't be a recent tie. But enough. Enough that, looking at red eyes and grey hair, Toshinori knew where he came from.

"That monster..." He murmured. Naomasa nodded grimly.

“Do you think he knew when he first took the boy in?”

“Oh, he probably kept tabs on him,” Toshinori said darkly, “Waited for the prime moment to swoop in and indoctrinate him. Now he’s an B-class criminal and liable to be locked away until he’s seventy.” He tapped the table, frowning. “But then. What did he mean when he mentioned a grandson?”

Naomasa cleared his throat, wincing, and slid over another paper. Toshinori took it and scanned, before stopping and reading again.

Codename Kurogiri, legal name Kurogiri-Shimura Yamato, twenty years of age and orphaned at five. Disappeared from the system after early demonstrations of his Quirk.

Fuck.


"Dormitories?" Toshinori frowned, tapping his palm as he unlocked the door to the offices. "I can't say it'd be a bad idea, but isn't it a bit extreme?"

"Parents are doubting our abilities to protect their children, nothing's too extreme," Yamada said dryly. Toshinori winced. Setting down his case, he sat in his chair and sighed. So much cleanup, PR and paperwork and all sorts of things he'd drudged through. It was almost a relief to go back to the pace of lessons and spars.

"The only ones ever truly targeted were the professionals and Izuku, though. A group having a grudge against a family is commonplace."

Yamada huffed, collapsing in his chair and pulling out a thing of hairgel.

"Prolly why it was vetoed. Shouta was near apoplectic at the idea though, let me tell you- having to keep an eye on all the kids all the time-"

"And you didn't help did you, Yamada? You probably went on about how Sero and Kaminari would start a prank war and destroy the dorm." The other damningly stayed silent, winking and grinning at him. They were quiet for a few moments, Yamada readying his costume and Toshinori trying to plan how to reassure and prepare the children for more strenuous work.

"Y'know, you can call me Hizashi. I don't mind."

Toshinori blinked and glanced up. Y-Hizashi was finishing his hair and slipping on his glasses, casual as all can be.

Toshinori shook his head and turned back to his lesson plans. It was a bit strange how many names he'd been collecting recently. He was still used to only ever being called All Might, saying young man and woman and citizen over and over like a broken record. It was... refreshing to break away.

"Only if you call me Toshinori in return."

"Deal."


The beginning of the new term, Toshinori drove Izuku and Shouto to Yuuei and pretended he didn’t hear them arguing in the back seat over whether a diner or genuine restaurant was better. For something .

God, if he had to give someone the Talk because Enji fucked up, he was going to just hide in the cupboard for a month.

When they arrived he waved goodbye and bustled them off to class, heading to the conference room himself. There was a catch-up planned before classes started to update the whole staff, which. Well. Made sense all things considered. When he ducked into the room, Fermi and Nedzu already there, arguing with his… you know, he didn’t actually know what Karasu did? Hm.

He sat and waited, watching Kayama come in with Shouta and Hizashi teasing, Kan trudge in with Inui over his shoulder, all the others flow in until it was finally time. Nedzu finally cleared his throat, clapping his paws together.

“Good morning, all! It’s the start of the new semester, which means more planning and more work! For first and second-year homeroom teachers, any propositions for licenses must be put forth by the end of the month, and any outstanding issues must be addressed. Does anyone have any majour updates for the staff at-large?”

Ectoplasm would be out for surgery for a week, Chiyo needed more medical supplies due to an accident in Support. Maijima was going to see about advertising for some of the promising first-years, Kayama would be changing her costume soon and was giving the courtesy warning, per usual. When it came closer to him, Toshinori cleared his throat and raised a hand. Shouta muttered something that sounded suspiciously like, “ Oh, here we go again.”

“Er. I know it may seem sudden, but I’ve been contemplating the current state of things recently, and what I myself am capable of and want , and…” Toshinori looked down at his hands, thought of failing strength and a wish to last and the smiles of Izuku Inko Hisashi, greying hair and growing wrinkles.

“I’m going to be retiring within the next few years.”

Chapter Text

They were, he supposed, very lucky no one was drinking at that moment. Toshinori  fought nervousness and fiddled with his coffee cup, waiting for someone to break out of their fugue first. His fault, he guessed. Finally, Shouta- well.

“I’m going to stop you right there. What’s brought this on? Because when we first met you, you were basically on a suicidal forward march to your death. Rest was a foreign concept.” The brunet leaned forward, frowning and worried even despite the small etch of approval to him. “What about the ramifications? What are you going to do when the world finally learns?”

Toshinori tangled his fingers together. It was a valid question, the consequences of this. Society was going to tremble without a pillar to look at as unbreakable, and he’d been around so long. But.

But.

“I’m not going to last much longer at this rate,” He said frankly. “If I keep cautious like I’ve been lately, I’ll certainly have a few more years. But that’s not realistic. And-” He faltered, thinking of the hospital bed and exhausted faces. “I’m not… I’m not alone anymore. I don’t want to put others around me through watching my final fall, if I can prevent it in the first place.”

There was another heavy moment, the same thoughts echoing through all their minds. Nedzu stirred first, clearing his throat.

“It will be difficult bracing against the lashback, but I do not believe we will be too worse for wear. And it’s a pleasure to hear you taking your health into consideration, Yagi-kun.” For once, went unsaid, though Toshinori knew it was sort of. Automatic, now. He winced and pretended not to hear it as the discussion was forcibly moved to internships.

Well. It was out in the air, now. No turning back.

Fuck.


He didn’t tell Inko and Hisashi when he came home. It wasn’t that he wanted to hide it from them or make it some sort of surprise, he just…

Didn’t need time to cement the decision, necessarily. More time to think about how to word everything, how to plan it. Because retirement was messy no matter the hero, and as Number One, he wasn’t going to go out pretty, especially not with the Number Two out of commission.

And oh, wasn’t that lovely to hear.

Toshinori had come to the school gates to Izuku talking to his mother on the phone, Shouto-kun standing blank next to him and it hadn’t taken more than a glance to know something was wrong. He carefully walked around the heterochromatic boy and bent down to his level, carefully meeting his eyes. Shouto blinked and finally regained some life to his face, brows furrowing as his mouth pursed.

“They want me to testify in court,” He said as Izuku hung up the phone, and Toshinori didn’t need anymore explanation. It was a tense ride back home because he wasn’t about to have this conversation out in the open, and when they finally sat in the driveway, Inko and Hisashi no doubt inside already, he turned back to the boys.

“Alright. Explain.”

“Fuyumi-chan and the others have already testified and they’ve checked old news reports and medical files,” Izuku chimed in, leaning forward, “So it’s just Shouto left, now. And he’s sort of…”

“I’m the one he fucked up most besides mom,” Shouto finished. Bluntly. Because of course. Toshinori squeezed the bridge of his nose with a sigh. Knowing Inko and Shun-kun they were nothing but accommodating, not expecting anything from the teen. Knowing the public, they had no other option.

“What do you want to do?” He asked Shouto, because that was most key here. As much as they wanted Enji to face what he’d done, they shouldn’t sacrifice his victims along the way, and he wouldn’t let it happen even if it was their only option. Recorded testimonies did in fact exist.

But Shouto didn’t speak, looking up at the house with an unreadable expression for a time. “...I didn’t talk before because no one listened,” He said thoughtfully, “And now people are. It’s sort of weird. But I don’t mind if it means he’s finally locked away.”

Well. Better than complete panic, he supposed. Toshinori grimaced and finally clambered out of the car, listening to the boys murmur to each other. They could only wait and see how that court session went, he supposed.

They could only hope it didn’t end with Shouto saying something overly blunt, gods willing. The public wouldn’t be able to withstand it.


Toshinori didn't know how it slipped out, but he had a feeling Izuku said something. Because of course he did after being trapped with those villains for days; they'd likely told him all sorts of things, whispers not breathed for years.

Which meant someone, probably that fuck , had mentioned Shigaraki Tomura. Mentioned his white hair and red eyes, and how he looked so much like his great-grandfather.

Of course. Which lead to Toshinori pacing as Hisashi sat with his head in his hands, Inko carefully going over the files Naomasa had given him. Confidentiality was dead when your significant others were intimately involved, he supposed.

"...He probably kept tabs."

"That's what Naomasa said." Toshinori grimaced. "He likely waited until just the right moment to swoop in, gods know why."

"He was okay when I was a kid," Hisashi said abruptly, and they both looked at him. "You could tell he wasn't fond of kids but he still made me laugh and distracted me. You wouldn't have known he barely ever visited, with how he got me around his finger." He finally looked up at them, fingers twitching and trembling. "He- was good at faking empathy. So."

So it was no surprise he easily snared a young Tomura. Or maybe Tenko was a more fitting name, all things considered. Toshinori shook his head. What a fucking mess.


"You weren't already?" Shouto asked when they broke the news to the boys. Toshinori gave him an affronted look, to which he raised a brow and gestured wordlessly at the door to their room. Touche.

They weren't unhappy at the news though which was most important. Izuku grinned and Shouto nodded and well, that was that.


Toshinori blinked and stared at the petition.

Hizashi whistled as he leaned over his shoulder, reading through it. “We haven’t had one of those in years, damn , and to think it’s from Nighteye- Midoriya must have really made an impression, huh?”

That was. One way to put it. Concise, he guessed, staring at the paper requesting Izuku be permitted to try for his provisional license early. He flipped it front and back like that would make his mind any less frazzled, reading it over and over again. He looked at Hizashi and Shouta, clearing his throat.

“Is- is there any reason I need to see this? I- wouldn’t this go to Shouta-kun then his parents?”

“Yes,” Shouta said. He did not volunteer anything more. Toshinori looked back down at the paper, noticing the neat, calligraphy signature.

Ah.


They asked him if he thought Izuku was actually prepared for hero work, which was a good question after the initial panic of oh gods this means he’ll probably see Osamu again fuckshit-

They asked him, and he seriously contemplated it. There were multiple factors to consider; Izuku’s skill with his tools and his body, how well he knew laws, how he’d performed during his work study, Osamu’s own work ethics and methods… It was a lot to consider.

And ultimately he thought Izuku wasn’t ready for it. Not the full breadth, missions and fights and captures. He was only now coming into himself and while he was no rookie at this point he wasn’t what Toshinori would called prepared. But the grim thing- he couldn’t say it was likely he’d find anyone else who would offer an internship to him, much less accept an offer of his own.

It was a. Lovely situation. He sighed as he thought it over, debating pros and cons while he made mochi. Ultimately he supposed, it was the issue of what Osamu did with the boy. And knowing him, it wasn’t as though he’d be letting him go on uncontrolled patrols or capturing villains willy-nilly, not without a powerhouse like All Might. So mainly information-gathering, planning, coordinating whatever he trusted the boy with.

Which wouldn’t be too much, he supposed, not for the first year.

“He’ll struggle,” He finally decided, slipping out of his pants and into the bed that night, “But so long as he’s got support, he won’t collapse.”

Hisashi hummed, Inko slipped in next to him, and the subject was finished. The next morning there were three signatures on the form and Inko pulled Izuku aside before they went out, talking to him in the garden.

During the ride to Yuuei, the teen almost smacked his head into the window at least ten times with how distracted he was.


There weren’t many besides Izuku nominated for early licenses, which wasn’t a surprise. Most didn’t try for theirs until their second year, with few exceptions. Toshinori had been one of them, along with Tsunagu and Taishirou.

Iida-kun had been nominated, along with Yaoyorozu-chan, Uraraka-chan and Kirishima-kun. Unsurprising considering their track records, few things that glared as dangerous. Iida had his moments of too much passion and Yaoyorozu too little self-esteem, Kirishima his hesitancy to strike hard when fighting and Uraraka the downsides of her Quirk, but they were all promising.

They’d be going to the exams with some of the students from 1-B, and it’d be a sight to see, watching them battle through the hordes of other students, and with them students would be passing through the departments, switching to their favoured majors or being demoted for less than acceptable work. Bondo would be transferring to Support, Shoda to General Education, Kyary to Management and so many more he didn’t know being second- and third-years.

He raised a brow at one of the names on the list of requests, huffing. He’d be eager to see if Shinsou-kun had taken his advice if he transferred to Heroics.


“So-”

“Everything feels weird.” Toshinori shoved a piece of chicken into his mouth, ignoring Inko’s light smack. “Is that weird? Being able to actually talk about it feels weird. I want to kiss you two, and I can just say that now.”

“That’s because you’re a repressed fool,” Naomasa said dryly, and he wasn’t wrong for all Sansa-kun choked on his food. Toshinori huffed and stole a spear of beef before Naomasa could take it, ignoring his whines.

“We- we were the same, Toshinori-san, don’t let Nao fool you- he asked me if he could kiss me every time for three months-”

“sHUt UP SANSA-”

Their bickering continued on to the movies, Hisashi laughing until his throat glowed and Sansa’s ears flat against his head. Toshinori tried to keep his giggles in and apologised the usher as they tried to order tickets.


He was going to visit because, well. Of course he was. It was almost an obligation, much as he hated it.

Tartarus was a dark, cold place, one filled with the echoes of the dead and the shouts of the living, villains chained and rendered toothless. It wasn’t a place he liked to go very often, especially not to visit one responsible for so much misery. But he had to, because there were holes in the stories and answers he didn’t want but he needed, and one didn’t get them by sitting around like a giant lump. But of course there were issues.

“I’m coming with you.”

Toshinori blanched, staring at Hisashi. The firebreather didn’t back down, slipping on his suit jacket and acting like nothing was amiss with him wanting to visit the high-security prison. Like it was just a day out, spending time with the darling.

“Darling. You’re a civilian.”

“Family is allowed visitation rights so long as there is no history of crime on their part,” He retorted and wow wasn’t that clause just fucked? Toshinori slumped as he kept pulling on his shoes, eventually coming to stand next to the blond. He smiled up at him tiredly, reaching to cup his cheeks. “Believe me Toshi, I don’t really want to go. But I have to.”

And he understood. So he didn’t fight as Hisashi loaded into the car with him, readying for the two-hour drive. It was a mostly quiet one spent looking out at the cars on the road or the tired face in the mirror, more lines to his face and grey to his hair. It seemed that way at least, stress pulling the age to his face for once.

Too bad he couldn’t punch All for One in his one last time.

It was surprisingly easy to go through security even with Hisashi in tow, guards taking one look at him and waving them through. A worrying thing and something he’d need to mention to the head director, though he knew if they’d actually care. People seemed to think him an exception to rules, and it was more and more unnerving when he was actually trying to be normal.

Nevertheless. They walked the halls, guards guiding them until they eventually reached a nondescript door. The muttering and bangs answered who it was inside; All for One wouldn’t have the energy to do that. Or the mobility, if they’d restrained him well. Toshinori glanced at the guards, smiling winningly and trying not to let the strain show.

“Is it possible my associate could speak to him? There are some things that need to be sorted.”

One looked at them uncertainly, no doubt taking in the lankiness to Hisashi. “Are you sure, sir? He’s a bit… violent. We have to restrain him anytime he leaves his cell.”

Toshinori glanced at Hisashi, but his expression hadn’t changed. He nodded at the guard, and they began to prepare a room, leading Hisashi away. He continued down his own path, down down down the levels of the site. The guard with him shivered as it grew hotter and hotter, machines running at full-capacity, until they finally reached one door, the beeping of a monitor already audible.

The body inside was patchwork. More scars, more bandages, more tubes. They’d told him the only reason he’d likely survived was because the villain’s brain was already so off baseline already.

The guard waited outside. He sat in the only chair available, examining restraints, cuffs, limiters. Saitou didn’t stir for a moment, only breathing.

“...I don’t understand why you took them. No one would have realised but you.” Toshinori glanced at the wall. “Was it a point of obsession? Revenge?”

“...” There was a small puff. The slight turning of a head. He looked to the featureless face, mouth completely covered. Leaned in to hear something, anything. There was no strength to the words, barely any air, but he could hear still, the fur tinting his ears luckily hidden as he shifted.

“...n-..’lse, wuh-” The ancient wheezed, mouth stretching in a parody of a grin. “M’gh ‘s w’h pic’ up ‘fter m’bruh-”

He began hacking, whole body shaking. He didn’t stop for minutes until finally he fell back to the bed, shivering. The beeping had slowed.

Toshinori didn’t ask anything more. He sat with Saitou in silence until the guard knocked and told him Hisashi had finished, and was ready to leave.

He spent the night a rabbit, curled against Hisashi’s breastbone and against the crook of Inko’s arm. He didn’t sleep, thinking of obligations and morals. Of family picking up after each other’s storms in an endless cycle.

The sun rose to exhausted eyes. None of the three said anything as they got ready for work.


“He’s broken,” Hisashi quietly said as he combed Toshinori’s hair into a ponytail, “And he doesn’t really realise it. There’s hints, he’s got a brain in there. He just ignores them.”

“He tried to kill twenty- no, forty civilians.”

“I know.” Hisashi carefully snapped the hair tie, jabbing pins into the tail base. “But I still want to help him.”

He couldn’t fault him for that. Instead he just pressed a kiss to his cheek, thanking him for his help, and told him not to forget to comb out the rise to his hair so he didn’t look like a hobo.


“You got the flowers?”

“Yes, thank you.” Toshinori paused. “Showoff.”

Aoi smirked, tapping his pen in a staccato beat. “I told you. Nothing bad would happen. How-” He sobered, looking up. “How have things been since then?”

Toshinori hesitated, thinking of stress and tired lines, but also warm arms and quiet nights. “It’s… tense, but I think that’s to be expected. At this point we’re all just glad to be together again.” He coughed as Aoi wrote something down. “I, uh. Decided on something, at least?” Aoi hummed, not looking up. “I’m retiring soon.”

The pen went through his notepad. And a laser through his glasses lens. They spent the next five minutes putting out the small fire that was his slacks and then sitting there, Aoi with his head in his hands.

“Start from the beginning. Please.”


There was apparently a whole process to retiring, forms and notices to fill and officials to meet so they could determine he was of sound mind and fines to pay, since he was so prominent a hero. He was left reeling while Aoi carefully outlined it all- sometimes literally, with an expo marker he had lying around- and told him to contact Nedzu if he needed any clarification. Toshinori said he would and went home dazed, reading through everything but not quite processing.

Inko noticed he was out of it when he stepped in the door and nudged at him, asking what was wrong. He looked back down at the papers and said, blankly, “I’m retiring.”

They didn’t eat dinner that night. Izuku and Shouto watched as though it was a volleyball match as Inko and Hisashi spoke around him in circles, nearly walking over each other.

“Oh my god, he’s actually thinking about himself without input for once,” Hisashi said at one point, and Toshinori was insulted but could he really protest? So instead he pouted and went to the kitchen, whipping up sandwiches for the boys. Shouto pat him on the back when he gave him his.

He ended the night wrapped up in a huge hug, so maybe it wasn’t too bad.


Toshinori walked into the break room with a sigh, trying to process how the class managed to destroy a classroom while figuring out just how to explain to Ashido that yes, while it was very good she had a new move, causing property damage was not good-

He froze. Izuku froze. Mirio smiled and sweat bullets, trying to act like he didn’t have Izuku curled up in his lap.

“Please don’t tell me I need to give you the Talk,” Was the first thing out of his mouth, because he was tired and honestly, he could have said worse. Izuku made a noise like a pricked balloon and scrambled so hard he fell onto the floor, face red as a tomato. Mirio wordlessly helped him up while seemingly trying to think of something to say. Toshi stopped him before he could, rubbing his face with a sigh. “Don’t- as long as you’re happy and you two are being careful, I don’t care. Just please tell Hisashi and Inko, Izuku.

The teen nodded fervently, still not meeting his eyes. Which. Good. Toshinori sort of didn’t want to think about what he just-

“Wait, why are you two in the break room?”


“See, here’s what I don’t get- how did none of us predict this would happen, considering what happened in second year-”

Toshinori groaned while Sakamata and Ryuko cackled, Taishirou smacking Maijima in the shoulder and nearly sending him flying.

“Do we really need to talk about that? Can we just forget about it-”

Hell no , I’m never forgetting you going on a patrol so sick you though Himura was a fucking villain-”

“Not to mention you calling Falco Tou-san-”

“And the hallucinations-”

“C’mon, don’t tease him too much, he can’t help it!” Sakamata roared, the fucker. Toshinori sunk into his chair and sipped at his juice, ignoring the flush to his cheeks and grin to his face. Nedzu-senpai was next to him and Tsunagu on the other side and they were all in a pile at a table in a hole in the wall bar, still owned by Sakamata’s uncle though the man had to be in his seventies by now.

“I can still put you all under the table if I need to!” He yelled, and laughed at the catcalls, Yawara stretching an arm to tug at his ear and glasses vibrating on the table. His face hurt from how long he’d been smiling.

They drank till midnight, talking about their recent missions and happenings, and Toshinori received an endless stream of congratulations and scoldings for all he’d done in the past half-decade. He didn’t mind any of it.


Toshinori glanced at the sky, squinting. It looked a tossup between rain and just being cloudy and he glanced at Izuku, curled up in the back and mumbling as he checked over his kit. Uraraka-chan and Iida-kun were with him, talking over and with him as best they could, though they seemed to understand he needed to get the twitchiness out. Yaoyorozu-chan was off sitting with Kendo-chan and Komori-chan, talking about what he thought was some upcoming hero.

None of them seemed too nervous, which was good. The exam would be stressful enough without them working themselves into a tizzy. Toshinori glanced at Shouta and Kan, talking to themselves while Snipe drove. He shook his head.

With any luck, they’d all pass. They’d just have to wait and see.

Chapter Text

Toshinori could see Izuku hunching his shoulders and clamming up from the stands squished in next to Shouta-kun. There weren’t many teachers here for all there was likely near five hundred students crammed into this section of the facility, and it made him wonder if other schools were really that crowded, or if those teachers simply didn’t care.

Hopefully they were simply busy with controls and trusted their disciples to prove themselves. He knew he was only here to provide moral support and make sure there wasn’t lasting property damage, because gods knew Izuku and Kirishima-kun would cause some.

It was a good thing these facilities were all Quirk-built.

“SO! Who do you think’ll pass outta your handful?” Toshinori narrowed his eyes at the boy grinning at the Yuuei group, who were looking more and more hostile by the moment. Hmm. Having a high-profile student amidst them all, likely not a good idea- “All Might-saa-an?”
“Ah! Apologies, I hadn’t realised- I thought you were still talking to Shouta-kun.” He smiled at her, nudging Shouta-kun when he snorted. Turning back to her question, the blond hummed. “It depends on the examination methods, truly. Kirishima does best when working in a team, as does Iida and Yaoyorozu. Komori is best at ambush. I- Mido-”

“We all know he’s your favourite.”

“...Izuku does best when able to use tactics and plan, but his improvisation is better each day. Uraraka-chan is good with hand to hand and rescue.” The proctor this year was a man with giant bags under his eyes and a jitter to his step and speech. Toshinori felt oddly empathetic. “It depends on what circuit they focus on this year, I suppose.”

Really, it depended on just how well they stood against the onslaught that would be the other schools, but he didn’t say that; it was an unspoken thought among them already. Moot point, really. He was going to say something more but paused, cocking his head. He swore-

“Is that Ishiyama-san??” And Ryuko and Mount Lady with other heroes, chatting and waiting patiently near the stage. The proctor introduced them and began to talk about large enemies, working against things that may be more powerful than you, and oh-

The walls fell to reveal towering creatures made of rock and cement and other materials. Mount Lady quickly grew to tower over everyone, grinning with a smile full of teeth. The students all stared with varying amounts of fear, arrogance, or calculation.

The bell sounded, and they all fell into motion.


It was, Toshinori thought dimly, very obvious just who they were weeding out with this first test.

The creatures targeted indiscriminately and took students down by the handful, losing a limb here or there to the lucky and even being felled by some. But they were sturdy, sturdy enough that few could damage them. Usually, only those with loud, destructive Quirks that could leave a mark.

"Only Kirishima's making any progress," Aizawa muttered, and Toshi grunted. The others were serving as decent distractions- or capturers in Yaoyorozu-chan's case- but they couldn't make a dent on the creatures with their Quirks, and well, Izuku couldn't exactly detonate a grenade in the middle of the mob.

There was a great booming crash as one of the students- Shiketsu if he knew his uniforms- finally felled one of the beasts, grinning ear to ear as it came apart under fierce winds. Someone who would definitely be advancing, he thought, and the sentiment continued as one, two more golems went down. But still the Yuuei teens hadn't managed-

Except Izuku was fumbling with something from his costume and Iida-kun was yelling, trying to grab something out of his hands and what the hell were they doing?

"Oh gods, he's up to wild shit again. If he has another grenade-"

" Another ? Shou-chan, what is with your kids-"

Izuku finally wrenched away from Iida and Toshinori watched him center himself, take aim at something, and fire up his... he. Hoped that wasn't a gun.

Across the arena, Ryuko went down like a stone and her golems rumbled to a stop, beginning to disintegrate. There was shock, shouting, some of the proctors bug-eyed in the observation box as they hissed at each other. A few students took advantage of the confusion to cut Ishiyama's at the knees, and the rest of the "enemies" were taken put in short order, and soon the bell to announce the end of the first half sounded. Toshinori saw, like a beacon, Izuku standing tall and calm, lips pursed as he watched the professionals.

"Nip the source of the danger in the bud," Shouta murmured, and oh .

"Oh," He breathed, "That is dirty ."

The two shared a small glance. Toshinori grinned. Just like he'd learned.

If it meant saving lives, go for the throat. There was no time for theatrics when it could mean a hole in your chest or a void in your face.


The other students are scared of me

Toshinori blinked and refreshed his phone. No, still there.

Have they heard you talking about Quirks yet?

No response. He wondered how in the hell these, well, mostly second-years could be scared of Izuku. He could only manage a proud bemusement when the teen managed some of his weirder shit and even then, it was honestly toned down compared to Hisashi and Inko.

"Hey, Toshinori." The blond hummed, leaning against Shouta's shoulder. The darker man shoved him off. "I've been wondering since Hizashi's been apoplectic about it for months. Where did the rabbit thing come from?"

"Oh, it's part of my Quirk."

Shouta stared at him. Toshinori finally looked up and smiled sheepishly.

"Your Quirk is a strength augmentation," Shouta said slowly, “Or however the hell you want to define your attacks.”

“Except it’s sort of not. My original Quirk is being able to transform.”

The dark man stared for a long moment before grabbing a bang and tugging him closer. Toshinori yelped and tried to escape because he’d seen Hizashi after their fights and he preferred not having his hair in bows thank you.

Explain.”


He explained. Shouta sat for a long time before muttering that it was a miracle Izuku found him. Toshinori leaned back against him and nodded, because he was right. The Midoriyas were a godsend disguised as chaos for him.


The students eventually filed back into the facility talking among themselves much less than before, maybe half at this point. He noticed Izuku and the rest among the mob. Good, one less worry. The proctor cleared his throat as they closed the doors once more, voice staticy over the intercom.

Aa, good job on you who made it to the second round. As I’m sure you noticed, the first test was to measure your ability to battle in situations where you are battling at a physical disadvantage. This time, you’ll have a different sort of handicap.”

And then the facility went pitch and there was a rumble, and he couldn’t even see his hand in front of his face, sound muffled in his ears and disoriented. Toshinori paused and calmly slapped Shouta on the arm, who grunted and pat his shoulder, eventually making his way to a cheek where he shoved a pair of glasses on his face. Then everything was illuminated in green, great walls having risen in the arena. He could shouting, but it was as if it was distant, outside the whole facility.

Well. Certainly a handicap.

He felt his phone vibrate in his pocket and fumbled, dragging it out and probably jostling Shouta and Ms Joke some. After taking the glasses off because TOO BRIGHT- he peered at the screen.

If I send up a flare, will you tell me how far we are from the edge of the arena?

“He’s going to get himself disqualified.”

“Ara? Is one of your kids asking for help or something?” Ms Joke leaned over, squinting over her own glasses. “...Technically, it’s not against the rules. He’s using what he has to solve the crisis.”

“Dirty,” Toshinori murmured, echoed. But asking for help from allies at better vantages? Smart, and resourceful. A flare went up a couple seconds later, and in the light it gave off he could see a dim shape, rising rising above the walls and wobbling. Uraraka no doubt. He smiled and pressed his thumb to the screen.

Far left quarter, about middle distance between the edge and center. Be prepared to dispute your score in a hearing.


Another intermission, another pause filled with watching the students murmur and yell at each other, arguing with Shouta-kun. As they all came back together, he leaned forward, humming and watching the facility change once more, crack and adjust…

Into something eerily similar to an exam he’d taken years ago, laughing while a redhead screamed at him and Manticore called out for them to hurry it up. The civilian actors were as irritating as usual, crowing about the smallest mistake. Shouta kept rolling his eyes whenever they were particularly loud. But Toshinori, he remembered his last run-in with them. At his exam he remembered more than two hundred being disqualified in five minutes thanks to these shits, their scores getting knocked down like nothing.

But here they were, not even half as vicious.

“Something wrong?” There was a scream. Toshi watched one of the actors “cower” on a crumbling pillar before they were rescued by a student with horns. They were all dashing around, keeping buildings from collapsing or hefting the fake victims out of the crises.

“Well,” He said mildly, “Considering I did this for my entrance exam to Yuuei? A bit.”

The younger heroes paused and looked back at the arena.

Ah.

...Right.

"They really don't care about hiding the bias, do they?" Kan muttered. Toshinori scoffed and shook his head. Apparently not. He'd have to start speaking up some, it seemed. God knew how many times Inko moaned about his political power as Number One.

For now though, he was stuck facepalming as Izuku accidentally smacked a "mother" in the face trying to keep her from falling.


Toshinori sat with legs crossed, quietly watching the proctors absolutely lose their shit. They didn't seem unnerved by his blank face, and he couldn't tell if that was a good or bad thing anymore. He wasn't willing to fake a smile right now.

"What makes what Midoriya Izuku did different from others using their Quirks?"

The main proctor startled and blinked at him. They probably expected that out of Shouta's mouth. Maybe not. The man was more fond of trial by fire.

"He was not functioning on his own merit, All Might-san. Even disregarding Deku's move in the preliminary exam, it's grounds for immediate disqualification. The only reason we're having this hearing is because we all know the Midoriyas."

Shouta of all people made an insulted noise while Izuku, bless his heart, looked confused more than anything.

"Your mother, Midoriya." Ah, there was the realisation. Toshinori cleared his throat and drew their attention back to him, faux-contemplative.

"I don't see why this is cheating? He was using everything at his disposal."

"...You can't be serious."

"Aa, you can't be serious for calling us to this ridiculous meeting and pausing the results, much as I expected it." Toshinori finally smiled, leaning forward. They leaned back. "What part of crisis heroics is clean? By the book? Is it going to be a mark against a hero if they call for help or rely on others? If they use underhanded methods to prevent deaths? Personally, I see no issue with what any of them did. After all, we can't hold them to standards we ourselves don't reach.

"Maybe next time, measure prospective heroes by more than how hard they can hit, hm?"


Kan and Shouta found him outside, munching on a banana while he watched the clouds.

"I think the ginger was ready to shit himself."

Toshinori promptly choked on his banana, Kan whacking him on the back until it went down. Shouta was unrepentant.

They went to the announcement room together, shuffling in next to Ms Joke and other teachers. The students looked small whispering outside the arrogant few.

Words of congratulations and bluster until finally the screen flickered, breaths being held. He searched through names quickly, drowning out yells and cheers, finding Midori- Kiri- Iida-

"Ah, the whole group almost made it." Toshinori sighed and closed his eyes. Down below the teens were probably congratulating each other and slowly realising, catching on as Uraraka-chan and Kendou-chan stayed quiet.

"It always happens every exam," Shouta murmured. "Someone's left behind, or just falls short. They'll catch back up."

He grunted. The question was what kept them short here; bias towards apprehension or underdeveloped skills?

Oh well. There'd be plenty time to investigate. And in the end, if they proved themselves, there was always the chance of promotion after next year's internship.

In the end, the exams were finally finished.


"I don't think we can eat all of this," Toshinori said bemusedly. Inko grinned at him, setting yet another plate down. Shouto handed the last piece to her, a giant pot for nabe.

"Who said we were going to?"

The doorbell rang and he twitched, loping over to open it. Hisashi stood with a crooked smile, Fuyumi-chan and Mirio-kun behind and Inko’s coworkers chatting with Naomasa and Sansa by the gate.

Ah . Toshinori smiled back and kissed Hisashi on the cheek, listening to Izuku stammer when he saw Mirio and Shouto get a light to his face as Fuyumi hugged him. They all poured into the house and the kitchen, talking and stumbling over each other while just about every chair around the house was grabbed. There wasn’t any irritation despite it as they all sat, Toshinori next to Izuku next to Mirio and so on. Before they all grabbed their chopsticks and forks Inko cleared her throat, still standing.

“I’d like to say before we eat-” She cleared her throat again and dear god there were the tears. Izuku sniffled next to him. Toshinori pat her hand and nudged Izuku. “-Before we dig in. You boys- all of you, don’t think I haven’t asked about you Mirio-kun- you’ve come so far. You ignored those who told you to quit or be quiet or fall into a downward spiral and it makes me so- proud. ” Inko sniffed and rubbed roughly at her face, grabbing her glass and raising it.

“So let’s celebrate and dig in!

Itadakimasu !”

The table didn’t empty until well after the sun set, plates changing hands as Fuyumi talked about her work at the hospital and Shun complained about a client, Mirio explaining his friends’ plans to be a trio and Shouto questioning if Thirteen was a cryptid. Toshinori had the absolute pleasure of watching Inko’s tiny, cuddly self terrify Mirio-kun while she interrogated him and by the end of the night he had somehow drifted back to their bed, humming on his stomach while he watched the clouds outside.

It was a good way to end a day he’d worried over. He hoped Izuku and the others felt the same.


Toshinori blinked, tilting his head.

"That's... different."

Shouto shrugged from his spot near the stove, blowing on a spoon of soup. His hair had gone from two-toned to a pastel pink while they were gone, and you could barely see any remnants of its former colours.

"Tamaki helped me with it."

His head tilted farther. " Tamaki ?"

"If I have to deal with Izuku and Toogata every day, I'm getting something out of it. Tamaki's... quiet."

Like him. Hm. Toshinori reached over and ruffled his hair, getting a squawk for his efforts. "It looks nice, Shouto. It's good you're making friends; you need more support than just us."

"Condescending, much?"

"You thought the appropriate response to Izuku being strong was to duel him. I've just got common sense, kid."


"Has Shouto said anything about you moving up before him?"

Izuku paused, shuffling his paperwork. "No. He congratulated me, but..." The teen frowned. "I- I don't think he even wants his license right now?"

Hm. With Enji away and seeing Toshinori, maybe he'd decided going his own pace was fine. They sat in quiet for a pause before Izuku shifted again.

"...Can we go with him Wednesday?"

"Aizawa-kun already excused you both." There was the sound of the car pulling up, Inko talking as Shouto followed. Toshinori thought of the slightly-terrified look the elemental had when the court date had finally been announced. No way in hell they'd leave him to that alone. “We won't let either of you go without support, Izuku."

He pretended he didn’t see the look of overwhelming look on the teen’s face. Of course he knew they’d tag along, but, well. He guessed fear would always bite at this family’s heels.


The gaggle of students going off to their respective heroes was sort of surreal. Here they were doing real work already when not half a year ago, he'd had to make sure Mushroom-chan didn't accidentally seed spores in Monoma's lungs.

...That wasn't to say he didn't have to do that now considering the amount of quarrels that boy got in, but. Semantics.

He waved them goodbye after they reported to homeroom, smiling weakly at Izuku's mouthed I'll text you!

"They'll be working together soon," Shouta commented idly, watching the remaining students fall into line for training. "From what I heard, there's been yakuza popping up again and Fatgum and Nighteye both got involved."

Ah. Lovely. A resurgence right when he stopped patrolling as much, couldn't push himself as far-

Toshinori shook his head and sighed. "Let's hope they aren't shoved headfirst into anything. God knows how much property damage there'll be with Izuku involved."

"Mm."

They both paused and watched as the trains went off.

"...Should we warn them?"

"It'll be a learning experience."

Ominous. He hoped Osamu and the others didn’t end up with destroyed offices by the end of this year.

 

Chapter Text

It felt strange being in this form with all eyes on them. Paparazzi and reporters swarmed as close they can as their car pulled to the protected lot of the courthouse, trying to catch a glimpse of the "scorned son".

Goddamn did he hate gossip rags.

"We'll be right there with you, Shouto-kun," Inko murmured as they ducked into the lot, "Soon this will be all done."

The teen didn't respond. They didn't expect him to with his laser focus on the window. Shun-san was waiting for them as they approached the elevator, grim but smiling in a way that Toshinori thought probably didn't mean anything good for Enji.

"Shouto." The boy twitched, head tilting towards Shun. "Be as blunt as you like. He's already got his noose tied."

Shouto's little smile at that was a bit terrifying.

Going in he couldn't help but do a quick survey, taking in the grim judges some he knew and not, the empty witness stand and Fuyumi waiting by their seats. She was steadfastly looking away from her father, extinguished and muffled. Enji looked…

Not smaller. But less suffocating maybe. His enormous presence was contained now, forcibly muffled for the threat and damage he posed. His eyes darted to the doors when they entered and Toshinori couldn't help his flinch meeting the last piece of his past, shrunken and quiet, but. Enji's eyes were riveted on Shouto.

Shun placed a gloved hand on the teen's shoulder as he lead him to the accuser's area, and Toshinori followed silently, settling in as the head judge cleared their throat.

"Good morning. It is the last day to present evidence in the case against Todoroki Enji, alias Endeavor. I would say it is welcome, but I know this has been a struggle for those involved, so let's simply get it over with.

"The evidence left to examine includes testimonies of Todoroki Shouto, biological son, and Yagi Toshinori, former associate. Who will proceed?"

There was a spike of heat abruptly cooled, a laser stare to the side of his head. Toshinori sighed.

There it was.


He went first. To give Shouto time to prepare himself or get it out of the way he couldn't say but it was done. Standing in front of the judges and lawyers with all eyes on him, he felt... calm.

And there wasn't much he could say that wasn't already heard, driven loud aggressive with a mantra of being the best that crossed the border of obsessive. But he'd known Enji the longest. He'd wormed himself close to the determination, goals, contempt. He'd seen the descent much as he ignored it. And he'd be pulling the guillotine taut so Shouto could send it down.

He looked so shaky on the stand. Toshinori could see fear in his stance but the cold anger kept it from painting him.

Shouto looked his own person, standing with back to Enji and his hair bleached to a pink spray.

"My earliest memory is of my parents arguing and my father yelling that I was old enough to start learning. It ended with my mother not talking for a week while she wore long sleeves in summer."


They didn't go out for dinner or celebrate or anything ostentatious. Shun-san bowed to Fuyumi and Shouto and bid them all a quiet night as he left and Fuyumi rode with them back to the house, one hand wrapped in Shouto's the whole time. No disturbed the silence.

Entering the house Toshinori shucked his shoes and skin, hopping into the living room as Inko went to the kitchen and Hisashi his studio, Izuku and the siblings settling on the couch carefully. There was a pause before Shouto shifted, clearing his throat.

"Do we have to. Keep his name anymore?"

"Not- you don't need to. I'm... Taking mom's." There was the noise of the stove lighting and a pot being set. Fuyumi looked down at her hands. "You don't need to have hers either."

Shouto did a sort of half-flinch, glancing away from her and to Toshinori. He'd been patiently waiting by their feet, paws pressed together. When Shouto picked him up he nestled into his chest, getting hands to bury into his ruff and feeling muscles relax. Good.

"I know which I want to take."


“What?”

“I want to take yours.”

Toshinori kept staring at Shouto, very much aware the pen he had been holding was now shards of plastic. He tried to come up with a response but could only really manage a vague noise of confusion.

“This- are you trying to be, petty-?”

“If it wasn’t for you, none of this would have started.” Shouto stared out the window at the garden, hands clenched around the back of the chair. “You pushed the police to act. You made sure I was in the first round of counselling and basically did your damndest to be a nosy asshole while they were trying to put me somewhere. I’m grateful to the Midoriyas, but I’m grateful to you too. It’s…” The chair crackled. He let go, standing back.

“It’s a way to get back at- at Enji. And it’s also because I’m grateful, and I appreciate your worry. And it’s also partly because Midoriya would be a horrible family name for me, and you’re pretty much part of their family anyways, so I will be too. You don’t need to accept if you don’t want to.”


The adoption was a quick affair. No one to contest and one could say it was a bit awkward going through procedure he’d learnt only a day before, but Shouto's small smile was so bright when the officiant stamped the paper marking him Yagi Shouto. They didn't have a large celebration, but that night the house was a warm hearth as they sat in the livingroom and coexisted.


"I am not needed anymore."

The crowd went dead silent as he recited and reread the speech he and Aoi had cobbled together over the past few weeks. A reassurance warning and persuasion all in one, it felt almost fake. But nothing he said wasn't meant.

A journalist, one of the few he knew personally and probably the only one he'd had drinks with- because fuck if he could avoid a hard one after cases like Nagasaki- raised her hand slowly, wiggling her mic like a maraca.

"Could you maybe explain what just came out of your mouth, All Might?"

"I'm not needed anymore," He repeated. He let his eyes trail the crowd, reporters heroes civilians mixed together. "This world we live in now is not devoid of crime, but it is not covered shadows like when I first started. And the heroes working today are more prepared and ready to fight- stronger even, I'd say. A tank is not needed anymore to bulldoze through criminals and villains." Toshinori could feel his hands clenching around the podium. His jaw firmed. " I am not that tank anymore. And that doesn't mean the end of the world."

There was a long pause as they digested that, processed. Another in the crowd raised their hand tentatively.

"What will you be doing if you're retiring?"

He smiled. "I've taken a shine to teaching, actually."

It wasn't a smooth conference after that. People for all they didn't shout their criticisms from the mob still piped up one by one, had spurts where the clamouring became a sonorous wave, almost seemed ready to cry in panic fear worry. No one would call him a goddamned idiot, but not many seemed to think this was a smart move either. It was one hero that pushed him from weary patience to irritation though, clambering over their fellows to the front and making him nearly crack the damn podium.

"All Might-senpai, Why retire if you can still work? None of us have noticed any decline and it's a bit selfish to call it quits just because you're a li'l tired. Crimson Riot and Shinigami didn't, and they went a lot longer with a lot less than you."

Toshinori stared blankly at them, long enough most quieted in nervousness. He stepped away from the podium and crouched by the edge of the stage. His voice carried even without the mic.

"Crimson Riot died at the age of sixty-eight from major blood loss and his heart giving out after months of weakness. Shinigami had a stroke after finally capturing her nemesis and receiving one more bout of the villain's Quirk and cannot leave her bed anymore. They both hid this thanks to the belief they had to continue until they absolutely couldn't. We- " He jerked his head, looking at the upstart and the heroes in the audience, watching the wave of flinches. "-Are people. I am a person. We are not capable of simply working and working until we break and can be repaired. Such a sentiment only leads to a high hero mortality rate, young man."

He stood, brushing off invisible dust from the front of his suit. Looked back out at the crowd, solemn.

"Any more questions?"

There were none.


Hisashi wrapped his arms around Toshinori's shoulders and leaned over the couch, settling his head in a puff of yellow. His breath made Toshi's ear flick as they watched the reporters grimly debate.

"...Steep decline in past years, but the trend of dying young or being forced to retire early is still prevalent, you can’t deny that!"

“Just because crime was bad during the Copper Age doesn’t mean our heroes are martyrs, if they go out early it’s because they weren’t skilled enough-

"Congratulations," Hisashi murmured. “I think you just sparked one of the largest ethics debates of the century.” Toshinori tilted his head back to nuzzle against his face, sighing. Shouta would be delighted.


He woke up, shivering and sweating, a shadow haunting his mind-

A body pressed up against his chest, sighing. The smell of lilies filled his nose.

He fell back to sleep without trying, dreams a formless mess of memories. When he woke up the next morning all he could remember was the faint thought of flowers, and the idea of buying a bouquet for the kitchen. It’d be something nice to do for the others.


Izuku wouldn’t tell him what he was getting up to on patrols and really, that should have been his first warning sign. A quiet Midoriya was never a calm Midoriya.

"So I was er, almost kidnapped today."

Inko spat out her tea. Toshinori very quietly put his head in his hands. Jesus shit.

"Izukkun, you can't just say that and not explain- "

"His patrol ended in him fighting a major yakuza gang with Nighteye," Shouto piped up, slipping around the both of them and into the house. He was casual as can be, the little shit. "Yakuza guy liked him and didn't want him to go." He paused, glancing back. "You need to stop attracting weirdos, Izuku."

"Does that include y-" Izuku didn't get to finish as Inko dove for him, checking for injuries while simultaneously choke-hugging him. Toshinori edged by because he was Not Involved and Not Going to Be and tugged out the report Izuku had made, skimming it.

"Wait, you stole a child?"

" Rescued! Eri-chan was unwillingly held!" Izuku frowned from the cage of Inko's arms. "Kuga-sensei is with her at the hospital. Can we please go visit him? They kicked me out when I started mumbling too much."

Toshinori glanced further down the page.

...There because he had a hole in his side.

How was he the sane one nowadays?


Toshi felt like he should be more nervous, maybe. Or rehearsing something. Maybe transforming like last time, keeping up the facade. But on the ride to the hospital he was mostly concerned with Izuku’s account, all the blood he had seen during the battle and how quickly the doctors had shooed him away from Surgery. Was Osamu alright? Was it even his place to worry anymore.

He waited outside the hospital room while the Midoriyas fretted over Osamu, staring at the generic paintings hanging in the hall. He was waiting, though he wasn't really certain for what yet. Listening to the muffled talk in the room, there was a scuffling by his feet and he looked down. A tiny girl was peeking out from the doorway, white hair down to her waist and bandages covering her arms. Eri-chan, maybe?

He leaned down carefully, slowing whenever she flinched until he was eye-level. "Hello," he murmured, "My name is Toshinori. I'm Izuku's... uncle. What's your name?" She didn't answer him. He didn't really expect her to. He glanced through the wedge above her head, meeting Hisashi's eyes. He looked away. "Do you like the hospital so far?"

Eri hesitated and finally answered, so low he had to strain. "Deku and Osamu-san are here." Toshinori blinked. That was...

Well, at least Izuku was good with children, then.

The door suddenly swung wide open and he stood up, stepping back as Inko, Izuku, and Hisashi tumbled out. Izuku grabbed Eri and set her on his hip, giving Toshinori a sympathetic look-?

"Well, I know you've been waiting so why don't you go in, Toshi!" A hand slapped him on the back hard enough to stumble, sending him through the doorway as it slammed shut and he looked up-

And locked eyes with Osamu, wide and disbelieving. Ah. Fuck .

He debated playing it cool but honestly, weirdly, he just didn't want to. After everything it seemed pointless to keep the barrier. So Toshinori coughed and shuffled to the plastic chair by the bed, grimacing as he sat.

"How bad is the injury?" No answer. He kept looking Osamu over, seeing the IV, drains, bandages wrapped tight-

A hand took his chin and forced his head up, forced his eyes to meet black-white darts and he froze. Osamu shuddered, letting out a shaky breath.

"You're alive ," He whispered.

Osamu grabbed him by the shoulders, wrapping arms round him tight while a sob broke loose and ignoring the pain that must have shot from his side. Toshinori was frozen for a solid second, surprised, shocked, scared, until he freed his own and hugged in return, the tightest he could.

He couldn't-

He couldn't-


There was always a small doubt. A kernel he couldn't get rid of, worry, the self-loathing that he had ruined himself too much to change the future that had been seen. When he'd begun to actually care he'd been terrified of it, abandoning what he'd rebuilt thanks to his own mistakes.

But.

He held Osamu until both their shoulders were soaked, each drained and quiet. He carefully pulled back and looked at his former lover, thinner than he remembered and with more lines to his face. Osamu looked back, no doubt seeing the cornsilk in his hair now, the white to his eyes, laugh lines deeper.

Neither of them apologised. It was needed but not said, something they knew and something they’d have to express over hours of conversation. Instead Toshinori combed his bangs back, letting his ears grow and fuzz over. He smiled wryly at Osamu's snort.

"I knew Midoriya's rabbit was suspicious. That boy can't lie his way out of anything."

Toshi shook his head. His little fool. He smiled helplessly, running his hand up one ear and thinking over the past year and a half.

"Last spring, there was a villain who was able to transform people into animals..."

 

Chapter 21

Notes:

ssO
I'VE BEEN SLOWLY SLOWLY WORKING ON THE CHAPTERS, BUT OF COURSE COLLEGE AND MY FORTY HOUR WORK WEEKS HAS KILLED IT (along with being introduced to flight rising) BUT GUESS WHO WAS STUCK IN A CAR FOR EIGHT HOURS WITHOUT ANY OUTSIDE STIMULATION
THIS FURRY FUCK
thank u all for coming along this ride and encouraging me and im so happy so many like this story it means a lot

Chapter Text

Izuku zipped about the house, mumbling under his breath as Shouto sedately followed carrying both their bags. His hair was pinned back in the tail he'd taken to wearing it in, while Toshinori was pretty sure Izuku still had a hairbrush stuck in his. Inko finally intercepted him by the kitchen and handed him a bento, smiling as he sputtered. She kissed him on the cheek and dragged Shouto over to do the same to him.

"Don't wear yourself out before the ceremony, Izukkun. You two be safe okay? We'll see you at the school."

"You've jinxed us now."

"Don't start, Shouto. Go, boys!"

The house was finally quiet with the two gone. Toshinori shook his head and took another sip of his tea.

"Three years and he's still like that."  He hummed. "Then again, he is a mix of you two."

Inko snorted and ambled over, giving him his own good morning kiss. She grabbed the coffee pot on the table and refilled Hisashi's mug, nudging him where he sat facedown.

"Wake up, you. We've got an hour and a half."

Nothing.

"If you don't get up I'm telling Jin you're done with the fabricator and just haven't submitted it."

Well, Hisashi knocking the mug over probably wasn't what she intended, but at least he was up now. Toshinori listened to them bicker with a grin, contemplating if they'd stop by the time they reached Yuuei.

"I love you two."

They blinked at him, Hisashi's grip on his blanket loosening.

"We love you too, sunflower." He squinted at the clock. "Oh shit, we only have an hour and a half, why didn't you say anything?"

Inko threw her hands up and stomped off. Toshi shrugged at Hisashi's blank look. It was early. He didn't exactly expect any better.


The ceremony was, succinctly, batshit insane. Hizashi looked ready to cry and Shouta was mildly panicked the whole time and Ryou wouldn't stop howling. He was pretty sure someone proposed to Shouto going by the ring on his finger when they arrived, but for all they knew he'd been hiding it to surprise them. Eijirou was actually crying and Toshi thought he'd spotted Minoru talking with Yuuga, which he didn't know was good or bad. Maybe bad.

He cried seeing them accept their scrolls and felt sort of like an old granny blowing into his handkerchief. Izuku looked so damn proud of himself and Momo held her head high, Katsuki was neutral for once in his life and fuck he was so proud of all of them, his little dumbasses.

"Our boys are officially heroes," Inko murmured. "They're their own men."

Three years and they'd finally reached it. It felt so much longer.

"Only a few more months and then you're retiring, too," Hisashi whispered on his other side, "It's..."

Toshinori looked between them, drawn away from Hatsume's advertising on stage. Both their expressions were a tad too terrified for this.

"Darlings?"

"What do you think about finally getting transplants?"

Oh.

Oh .

He barely registered Nedzu going onstage, mind frozen and racing at the same time, circling back on itself, and he- nothing to hold him back nothing he had to do nothing to say he shouldn't live on on go grey-

“-The boys won’t need so much help and you’ll be retiring soon anyways-”

“-The doctors have been saying there’s a high success rate since you’re healthier-”

-Please , sunflower-”

He loved. He loved them fiercely. He wanted to see Izuku and Shouto climb the ranks, the class establish themselves. He wanted to see Nedzu give Yuuei to a teacher and take over the Board of Education like he said. He wanted to watch Hisashi build and Inko research and cook dinner with them, and he wanted to see all his friends old and grey and still giving each other shit.

He wanted, and he was fine with that. He wanted and he wasn’t guilty. He wanted and he was happy.

Toshinori took Hisashi and Inko's hands as Izuku bowed, applause and cheers rising up from the crowd. It was simple. It was easy.

"...Okay."

 

Notes:

njkfnvdgignvi i forgot to put this at the end
COME YELL AT ME ON TUMBLR YALL: thelennystorm.tumblr.com