Actions

Work Header

[Podfic of] The Slave Who Makes Free

Summary:

[01:16:12]
Fialleril's Summary:
Ekkreth wears a hundred thousand shapes and has a hundred thousand tricks, and the chain has not been forged that can hold them.

(Or: Meanwhile, on the Tatooine freedom trail...)

Notes:

Fialleril's Notes:

This is another story that skips around in the timeline. I am getting closer to Bespin, I swear, but before we can get there I needed to establish some things about Anakin, Luke, the Tatooine freedom trail, and several other minor characters - and all the ways they’re connected, though none of them know it yet.

The first scene here takes place about five years after Shape-Changer and Words in the Heart. The final scene takes place when Luke and Leia are about 11.

In which Palpatine makes the mistake of sending Vader back to Tatooine, Anakin builds a scanner, we finally learn the old Grandmother’s name, quite a lot of people escape from slavery, Luke Skywalker has been a rebel most of his life, and the often-mentioned Captain Altor finally makes an appearance. And there are quite a lot of Ekkreth stories.

There’s a lot of Amatakka in this one. The translations should be pretty clear from context, but they're also posted in the notes at the end of the fic.

Warnings for: slavery, transphobia, misgendering, threatened dog attacks, serious injury, references to surgery, mention of blood, and body horror

Also, I really appreciate all of the comments I receive! I'm sorry I'm terrible at replying to them in a timely way.
//

Amatakka translations:

Anakin: the one who brings the rain (a reference to Ar-Amu's promise that her children will know their freedom is coming when the rain comes)

Nittu: night

nimku: a person with power, a person with agency

umakkar: a storm

Amarattu: the Mother's protection

dukkra ba dukkra: freedom or death (but the translation is misleading, because there's really only one word there - dukkra means both freedom and death)

Bentu: judgment, justice

Terakreth: literally, desert-walker, but Bentu's Basic surname is the rather more poetic translation Rockstrider

Beru: singer

chelii: a runaway

Te masu Amavikkas?: Are you Amavikka?

Kai. Ek masa Amavikka.: Yes. I am Amavikka.

Amatakka introductions make use of a particle indicating the speaker's gender and pronouns, which doesn't translate easily into Basic. We get two variants in this fic:

Ek masa nu Lukka Ekkreth ka. (My name is Luke Skywalker, he/him.)

Ek masa nu Bentu Terakreth ku. (My name is Bentu Rockstrider, she/her.)

More info about introductions is on my tumblr here.

A "singer" is slang for a surgeon who removes slave transmitters, or for their assistant - so named because the surgeries are often done with little or no anesthetic, and the singer is the one who keeps up a steady stream of soothing chatter, singing, or chanting to keep the patient grounded.

I have all sorts of headcanons about Tatooine weddings, which you can see on my tumblr here.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Work Text:

coverart! A desert landscape with Darth Vader's shuttle parked in the foreground . There is a strong image of the Unfettered symbol over everything.  Title, Series, and Author information overlain.

Length 01:16:12

Download MP3 Here!

Notes:

Here is a .zip file of the series, Right-click to DL!

 

Reader Note-- Recording Amatakka is FUN.

~Storyteller voice is also always fun.

Cover Note -- Star Wars Battlefront II is the gift that keeps on giving!

Series this work belongs to: