Actions

Work Header

The Aftermath of Ghosts

Chapter Text

Logan

I slowly open my eyes, groaning. Looking around, I don't see the Ghosts anywhere.

I sit up painfully, then I realize I’m lying on the ground outside.

How did I get out here?

I feel a twinge in my side, and I look down to see my blood stained t-shirt, but when I lift it up, four stitches fill where the wound was. My jacket is off, and my boots are clean, as well as my cargo pants.

I take a short breath, then look up again.

The sky is a light blue, and small thin clouds streak in some places. The air is warm, and a gentle breeze blows through my hair.

Turning around, my confusion grows when I see no base. I’m in an empty field, surrounded by trees on the edge.

“What….what’s going on?” I say, and my voice is muffled as if I was talking into a tin can.

“Logan.”

A voice behind me makes me spin around, and I feel my heart stop as I stare at the man walking up to me.

“D...David….”

My voice is barely a whisper, my eyes unbelieving.

My brother nods, and sighs.

“Logan, I-”

His voice is cut off as I tightly wrap my arms around him, tears running down my face.

I can't tell if they're happy or sad, but I don't care.

“Hesh…” I utter, holding him tighter. He hugs me back and takes a deep breath.

“Logan.” He says, and I step back.

Staring at him, I smile.

I missed that face, his grin, his light brown caring eyes. I feel happiness wash over me.

“David, I missed you so much…” I voice, and Hesh sighs.

“I know. I...I’m sorry.” He frowns, shaking his head.

“I wish that I could still be with you and Keegan, but I can’t.” He says, and my smile melts away.

“What...what do you mean? You're here right now!” I say, and Hesh closes his eyes with a heavy sigh.

“Logan, I just need you to listen to me, okay?” He requests, looking back up at me.

I see the pain in his eyes, and I nod.

“Of course,” I reply, and David sits down on the grass, sighing.

Leaning back on his hands and looking up at the blue sky, he glances over at me. I walk to sit next to him, leaning my arms on my knees.

David sighs.

“Logan, the only reason I’m here right now is that you almost died. You did die, pretty much. Merrick saved you. And I made sure you got back.” He says, still staring up at the sky.

My eyes widen.

“But….if I had, I would have been with you! I want to be with you !” I distress, and David looks back down at me.

“Logan, you can't die. You still have a lot to do.” He says, and my eyebrow raises.

“What do you mean?” I ask, and Hesh looks at me quizzically.

“What do you think I mean? You need to save Keegan!” He responds, and my eyes widen.

“Oh my god! Keegan!” I shout, and I start to get up, but David grabs my hand.

“Logan, just calm down. Listen carefully.” He says, and I slowly sit back down, meeting my brother’s serious eyes.

“You need to help Keegan, Logan. I’m trying to keep him alive, but he doesn't have long. Thrash is torturing him, revenge for what Keegan did.” He explains, and I startle.

“Wait, Thrash?” I question, and Hesh nods.

“Thrash. Keegan’s captain. He supposedly died the same day Heath and Bolt did, but he didn't. The Federation found him after Keegan left with Bolt. They did the same thing to him that they did to me and you and Rorke. But he still remembers everything and everyone. He hates Keegan for how he left him. He's going to kill him if we don't help.” He reveals, and my eyes are wide.

“I won't let Keegan die.” I state, and David nods.

“Now, we can both help him, but what are you going to do? You're in critical condition, and you can't go anywhere at the moment.” David says, and I shake my head.

“There is never an excuse to not help your friend. I won't let that stop me from helping our brother.” I determine, and David grins.

There's the Logan I know.” He says, and I smirk. Then it slowly fades away.

“But….what am I doing here right now? If you're….”

I can't bring myself to say the word ‘dead’ .

David hangs his head and nods.

“Yes, I know. But you're here because I needed to tell you that. It's almost like you're dreaming, but at the same time, since you technically died, you're here with me. I can snap you back easily, and then you can help Keegan.” He says, and I nod.

“Okay.”

Hesh stands up and offers me his hand. As I grab his wrist, he pulls me to my feet.

Meeting my blue eyes with the brown of his, he takes a breath.

“You need to go, Logan.” He says, but I frown.

“Will you...Can I….Will I be able to see you again like this? I don't want you to leave me…” I ask slowly, and Hesh sighs, shaking his head sadly.

“No. You won't. But it's okay. I’m always with you, Logan. You know that. And Keegan knows that, too. He always has me in his head. It's how he gets himself through the bad.”

Hesh holds my shoulders, staring into my eyes.

“When it's time, you'll see me again, Logan. And when that day comes, I’ll be here waiting for you. But for now, you have a fight to finish.” He says, and I nod, a tear in the corner of my eye.

I hug him tightly, and David hugs me back. I sigh.

“I love you, David,” I whisper, and he nods.

“I love you too, Logan.”

I feel the embrace fade away, then everything turns dark.

Suddenly, my eyes snap open, and I let out a heavy breath. Turning my head to the side, I can see I’m in my room in the base, and I sigh, putting my arm over my eyes.

“David…” I mutter as the tear that was hovering on the edge of my eye falls down my cheek.

My fist clenches and I sit up slowly, holding my side in pain.

Keegan.

I will find you, and I’ll save you.

Because you're my brother, and we keep each other safe.

Determination sets itself in my eyes, and I take a deep breath.

I'll do this.

I have to.

For myself.

For Keegan.

For David .


 

 

Merrick

I sit on the couch, staring out the window.

Keegan…..

I know you're strong, but maybe even you can break eventually.

I don't want to think about what's happening to him, but the thoughts of him being tortured continue to invade my mind.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I sigh.

Cody and Spike went to bury Sam and Cameron, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

“Thomas?”

A faint voice behind me makes me turn my head, and I startle when I see Logan standing in the doorway, weakly leaning against the frame.

I stand up, facing him with wide eyes.

“Logan...you...you're awake. What are you doing? You need to res-”

Logan shakes his head.

“I need to find Keegan, Merrick. I won't let him suffer.” He says, his voice quiet and gravelly. I sigh.

“Logan, I want him back just as much as you do. But we can't do anything about that right now. You're far too injured still to go anywhere.”

Logan shakes his head.

"But that shouldn't stop me from saving him." He voices straightly, and I take a deep breath.

I walk over towards him, then meet his eyes.

“You're barely standing, Logan. When you were hurt before, you weren't breathing. Your heart stopped. You came back from the dead. I don't want that to go to waste by just getting yourself shot again because you couldn't even move away from the Federation soldiers quick enough.” I remark, and Logan sighs.

“Thomas….please…..” He trails off, looking at the ground. Then he slowly raises his gaze to me.

“I'll rest for a day. But then we're going to help Keegan.” He says, then he turns and heads back down the hall towards his room, limping slightly, and leaning against the wall for support.

Taking a deep breath, I shake my head.

Walking back towards the couch, Cody and Spike walk in from outside.

They catch my eye, and Cody frowns.

“What's that look for?” He asks, and I frown.

“Logan’s awake,” I say straightly, and Spike raises his eyebrow.

“That's a good thing. Why do you seem so….dreary?” He asks, and I fall back onto the couch.

“Because he wanted to go and help Keegan right this minute.”

I look up to meet their eyes as they sit down in the chairs.

Letting out a heavy breath, my shoulders fall.

“He can barely stand, guys. Let alone walk or fight. There's no way he's gonna be able to get to that Federation base and help Keegan without dying.” I state, and Cody meets Spike’s worried eyes, then they both look to me.

Cody sighs.

“So what do we do about Keegan?” He asks, and I shake my head.

“There's only four of us left to face off against the Federation and break Keegan out of there. Three, not including Logan. How are we gonna pull this off?” I wonder, and Spike leans forward, resting his arms on his knees with a sigh. Cody leans back in his chair, rubbing his face with his hands.

I shake my head and look back out the window.

I don't know how we're going to get Keegan out.

Logan is going to try to get to him no matter what, and then we'll just be in more trouble as we try to keep him from hurting himself.

Sighing, I close my eyes.

I wish we had Hesh with us right now.


 

 

Keegan

I groan as I feel a pounding headache that echoes in my skull.

Did Thrash knock me out?

I don't remember...

I slowly open my eyes, but everything is still pitch black.

My eyebrow raises, then I realize I’m not tied to the chair anymore. My hands are free, and I can feel cold concrete under me.

Sitting up, I feel around blindly.

About a foot from me I hit a wall, then another on my other side, and I can tell I’m in a very small room.

More of a closet, almost.

I take a deep breath, and I go to stand up, but a pain shoots through my body.

My dislocated shoulder screams and I take a deep breath as I try to ignore it.

Falling back, I put my hand on my chest, and the wet touch of blood makes me cringe.

Gritting my teeth, I lean against the wall, slowly forcing myself up as I rely on it for support.

Standing up, I feel around the room again, then my fingers run along a seam in the wall.

I feel over it again, and it seems like a door.

But as I explore, I find no door handle on this side.

A fear rises in me a little.

What's going on?

I bang on the wall with my palm.

“LET ME OUT!!” I yell, slamming my hand against the metal wall.

The pain from doing so kicks in, and I lean forward against the wall, tears running down my face.

What have I gotten into?

Letting my hand drop down the door, my fingers run over another seam, and I step back.

Looking down, even though it's still pitch black, I can feel the outline of a small hatch, maybe only five by five inches.

Raising my eyebrow, I lean back against the back wall.

“What the hell….” I mutter, then I hear a lock being undone, and I jump up towards the door.

A small slit about my eye height slides open, and I look out into those devious, dark brown eyes, full of hate.

It seems about seven inches to where the end of the slit is.

Is the wall of this really that thick?

“Thrash, what do you want?! What the hell am I even in?! Is this your time-out box?!” I shout, looking through the slit.

Thrash shakes his head.

 “You know, Russ, considering the situation you're currently in, I would really think your words over before you say them.” He says, and I roll my eyes.

“Yeah? Or what? I’m just locked in a pitch black room. What the hell else are you going to do to me?” I retort, and Thrash chuckles.

“Oh, Keegan, this isn't just a room.” He says with a sinister tone, and my eyes widen as an ominous feeling fills my chest.

Thrash turns away for a moment, then I hear him press a button.

I hear a clank in the cell, then a sudden pain pierces my stomach.

I gasp in surprise, then stumble back, pulling away from whatever just stabbed me.

Falling against the wall, I breathe hard, holding my hand on my now bleeding stomach.

Thrash snickers, then I hear him press another button.

A cold metal slices into the back of my shoulder, and I cry out as blood drips down my back.

Tripping over my own feet in the dark, I fall to the floor, and as I do so the side of my face hits a blade on the wall, cutting through my skin beside my ear, blood immediately running from it.

I groan, then lay in agony on the ground.

Thrash’s shadow blocks out the small amount of light coming from the slit as he stares in at me.

“No, Russ, this isn't a ‘time-out box’. It's your hell hole. If you even move, you’ll get sliced, stabbed, and cut to a point far beyond excruciating. Do you still think that you can best me?” He taunts, and I glare up at him, even though he can't see it.

“I'll still get you, you prick. Just wait. You'll get what's coming…” I groan, and Thrash chuckles.

“Sure, kid. Enjoy your time in there.” He says, then the opening slides shut, and I’m in pitch black again.

Dropping my head down to the floor, I close my eyes.

The amount of the warm blood wetting my shirt concerns me, and the smell of blood in the room makes my head ache.

I try to slow my breathing, focusing on what Hesh told me to.

The times we spent together.

Good thoughts, Keegan. Happy memories. Just keep those in your head, I tell myself, as I try to think of something other than the hell I’m in right now.

Logan, where are you?.....