Actions

Work Header

The Aftermath of Ghosts

Chapter Text

RORKE

I slam my fist against the wall, leaving a good-sized dent.

Santiago steps back, staring at me.

Gritting my teeth, I stare at the wall with Hesh’s picture on it.

It's just like what happened with Logan.

The bond between these two is far too strong for me to turn them against each other.

It's just not going to work.

I'll have to kill them separate from the other, or have another Ghost kill them.

But Merrick and Keegan?

They can't break.

I know that.

They won't.

Merrick is the strongest man I have ever known, aside from Hesh.

And Keegan….well, Keegan is a completely different story.

I don't what it is about him, but he just seems almost impenetrable.

He was always an amazingly strong and defiant boy, but there's just something about him.

He just can't be reached, or even scratched the surface of.

But...maybe I can use that to my advantage.

If he can't be broken, then he can at least be put through pain.

If I find him and take him, I can use him to draw out the boys and give it up.

They care too much about him.

He's just like them.

A young man in a war.

The same age as Hesh.

But with so much more experience.

And an impenetrable aura.

Now if only I knew where they were.

I spin around to face Santiago, and he steps back in fear.

“Do you have anything on them? Anything at all ?” I demand, and Santiago looks to the side.

“Well, no, but...we're working on getting intel…” He says slowly, and I groan, slamming my fist on the table again.

“We need to find them. I want Hesh.” I say harshly.

Santiago nods nervously, and walks out of the room.

I drop my head with a sigh, and groan.

I need to find the Ghosts.

This has gone on far too long.


LOGAN

Leaning against the log next to the fire pit, the fire extinguished at dawn, I smile as I see Hesh and Keegan talking and laughing.

Keegan sort of gave up on being mad at Hesh, and now they're just...talking.

Merrick walks over and sits down next to me, glancing to the side.

“You okay?” He asks, and I nod.

“Yeah.” I turn to face him.

“Is what Rorke said true? Are we really the last Ghosts?” I ask, and Merrick sighs, rubbing the back of his head.

“Not exactly. There are a few Ghosts who are awol, and we don't know if they are still alive. Not even Rorke knows.”

Raising my eyebrow, I look at Merrick intently.

“Who?” I ask, and Merrick shrugs.

“Well, there's Spike, who was in a group with Keegan originally.”

I glance over at Keegan. 

“What do you mean? I thought Keegan had always been with you.” I say, and Merrick shakes his head.

“No. He joined Stalkers after two years, after we were split up after being in the Marines together. Right after the first big battle he was in, and the Ghosts were first born, he was assigned away from Stalker. The first two years he was in a group called the Hawks.”

My curiosity increases.

“Really? Who were the other Ghosts in his squad?” I ask, and Merrick sits back a little, glancing over at Keegan.

“Like I said, there was Spike and Keegan, then there was Thrash, Gavin, Bolt, and Heath. They were all very skilled. Thrash was their leader.” He says, and I find myself staring back at Keegan.

“So what happened?” I ask, without taking my eyes from him.

Merrick sighs.

“The Hawks were on a mission far in the Andes. Trying to find the Federation forces that were up there. Remember the base we got the intel from?” He asks, and I nod.

Merrick nods.

“That's what they were looking for, and for a way to get in. It was much more heavily fortified then, when it was used as more of a base. Thrash led his men down through a mountain range, and they managed to get into the base. But somehow, the Federation knew they were coming. It was a trap set for the Ghosts, and they walked right into it. Keegan, Spike, and Gavin were the only ones who made it out.”

My eyes widen, and Merrick sighs.

“After that, Keegan joined Stalker, and Spike and Gavin just dropped off the map. Keegan tried to find them, but they didn't want to be found. Now, I don't know if they're even still alive, but Keegan still looks for them.” He says, and I raise my eyebrow.

“Wait, really?” I ask, surprised. Merrick nods, and leans his arms on his legs.

“Yeah. Even nine years later. I know he tries to come off as harsh and cold, but Keegan is a really good man. He cares about a lot of people, and is more dedicated than any man I have ever know. He would gladly give his life for any of the Ghosts, and he has never given up when one of his Ghosts is missing.”

I scratch the back of my head, and look up at Merrick.

“So...where do you think Gavin and Spike are?” I ask slowly, and Merrick shrugs.

“Honestly? They could be anywhere. Anywhere in the world. But I get the feeling that they're still in America. Last Keegan had gotten a small trace of them, they were actually down here, in South America.”

My eyes widen, and I sit up straight.

“Merrick, you don't think that they could be nearby, do you? Maybe they were looking for Rorke, too!” I say with excitement, and Merrick stares me down.

“Logan, I don't know. If they were, or are, then we might be able to try to find them. There's only so many places they could be that isn't Federation territory. And even if it is Federation territory, there's very few places where they would actually be able to hide. Like where we are now, and areas like this. I hate to think it, but it's what I've been thinking for the past five years, after their first small ping went dead. Gavin and Spike are dead. The Ghost Hawks are gone.” Merrick says straightly.

“They're not dead.”

I hear from in front of us, and we both turn our heads to see Keegan turned around, staring at us, Hesh next to him, meeting my eyes.

“I know they're still out there, Merrick. I can feel it. And I know they're close. Gavin is smart, and Spike is strong. The three of us, we were always a team together. Even though I was very young, Thrash put us together because we worked so well. Ghosts don't abandon other Ghosts. That's why I have to find them.” He says determinedly, and Hesh raises his eyebrow, then shrugs.

“I mean, you said that they were last known down here in South America, and that they would have to be nearby.”

I cross my arms.

“How long have you two been listening to our conversation?” I ask irritably, and Hesh smirks.

“Since Merrick first mentioned Spike.”

I roll my eyes, then look back at Keegan.

“So you really think that we can find the Hawks?” I ask, and Keegan nods.

“There are a bunch of abandoned villages around, not to mention the small deserted Federation base about four clicks North.”

My eyes widen.

“Wait, there's a deserted base?! Why didn't you tell us that before!? We could have holed up there!!” I shout, and Keegan sighs.

“It slipped my mind. I was a little preoccupied with the death of my best friend, you know.” He says gritly, and I nod.

“Sorry.” I say sheepishly, and he shakes his head.

“Whatever. But still. If we get going now, we can reach the base in about an hour.”

Merrick sighs, and stands up.

“Keegan, I just don't know if-”

“Merrick, you've been saying for years that I’m not going to find them. I thought that Ghosts were supposed to help each other. Now, I am going to find my team. Are you or are you not going to help?” He asks sternly, and Merrick sighs.

Hesh and I lock eyes again, a small bit of excitement in them at the chance to find two more Ghosts.

“Fine. Let's get going.” Merrick caves, and I jump up.

“Hesh, grab the gear. Keegan, you and I can figure out the calibration of the Jeep, and get us headed in that direction. Merrick, you need to keep an eye on the scanners and make sure no Federation soldiers are following us.” I say, and Hesh stands up with his arms crossed.

“And since when were you in command?” He says with a sarcastic tone, and I smirk.

“Since now.”

Merrick scoffs, and shoves me aside as he walks towards the Jeep.

“Yeah, nice try kid. Good plan, and we'll go with it, but you're still not in command.” He turns to me with a grin.

“Maybe someday.” He chuckles, and I nod with a smile.

Hesh grabs the guns and the water canteens from beside the fire pit, and runs over to the Jeep.

Keegan climbs into the front seat next to me, as I fiddle with the wires of the GPS.

“I’m thinking that if I can just reverse the wires, the GPS won't just take us the Federation routes, where we're more likely to be caught.”

Keegan leans down, and looks at the back of it.

“Hang on.” He says, and I sit back.

He pulls the wires apart, twists two together, switches two around, then sits back up, and flicks it on. The GPS loads up, and a completely blank and new destination route comes up.

I smirk.

“Nice! You wiped the memory and recalibrated the drive!” I say, and Keegan nods.

He turns to the backseat, looking at Hesh and Merrick.

“Are you two ready to go?” He asks, and Hesh nods.

“Let's go!” he says enthusiastically, as Merrick takes a deep breath.

“You're in lead, Keegan. This is all on you.” He says, and Keegan smirks, turning back to the front, starting the Jeep.

“Good.”

He puts it into drive, and we speed off down the bumpy dirt road.