Actions

Work Header

drabbles

Summary:

a bunch of ficlets based off prompts on my tumblr

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: moonlight.

Summary:

jem and tessa share thoughts with one another, late at night.

based off prompt: "You're the love of my life."

Chapter Text

They lay in bed, a few days after the reunion on the bridge. The hot English nights had set in, and  the air was soft and warm, prompting Jem to kick off the duvet. He got it caught it in his foot though, and ended up taking half of it off Tessa. She yanked it back.

“James,” she muttered. “Do not kick the covers off.”

He chuckled. “I didn’t take you as the sort of person that would hog the covers,” he murmured, staring up at the ceiling.

“I am not a cover hog.” Tessa tried to sound intimidating, but it was hard when you were wearing snowflake pyjamas, your hair was fluffed up around your face and your eyes were glowing in the dim moonlight.

Jem sighed inwardly. She was the most wonderful woman he had ever laid eyes on. Even in Alicante, recently, surrounded by lovely ladies, his heart had spoken a constant rhythm. Tessa. Tessa. Tessa.

She poked him in the side. “Ow!” he rubbed at the spot she had jabbed. He squinted his eyes at her. “What was that for?”

“You’ve got that distant look again,” she said. “What are you thinking about this time? The weather? The poor Silent Brothers left in the silent city without you joyous presence?” She said all this jokingly, but with a dramatic flair. Clearly Will had rubbed off on her in their years of marriage. His heart did not clench at the thought of Will, he remembered his face, fuzzy around the edges, like an old photograph, and remembered it with happiness.

“Earth to Jem?” she was gazing amusedly up at him. He grinned.

“I was thinking about you,” he said truthfully. “How much I love you. You’re the love of my life.”

Her eyes softened, and she rolled on top of him. “And Will,” she reminded him.

“And Will,” Jem added without a second thought.

She leaned forward to kiss him, and it was more of a soft whisper against them than an actual kiss. “You’re the love of my life too. You and Will… there will be no one else for me.”

He found himself at a loss for words, something that happened occasionally, as he was still getting used to his old body. Instead of talking he pushed back against her lips, making her sigh out a “James,” and slowly broke off.

They lay against each other, pressed tightly, as they gazed into each other’s eyes, just drinking the sight of each other in.

The moonlight shone against the darkness of his eyes, reflecting the deep dark depths of them, and the light made hers glow, made them shine almost silver, but not.

The light would die away in the morning, and as would the midnight serenity, but their love held strong, unwavering, and constant.