Actions

Work Header

Family Secrets Don't Always Stay in the Past

Summary:

AU. Eventual Wincest. After a hunt at Stanford Sam ran until one day he heard a scream for help he couldn't ignore.

Notes:

Very AU. Sam left for Stanford when he was 18, this starts a few months after he got there. Eventual Wincest.
Twilight timeline is being altered, none of the Quileute have changed yet and the Cullen's and Bella aren't there yet.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter Text

He stumbled and staggered through the trees until he hit the road where he'd left the car. Despite the fact it was winter and he was naked he wasn't shivering, if anything he felt too hot. He was confused and scared, he didn't know what was happening to him but he knew he had to run. If anyone found out…he didn't want his family to have to hunt him down. He drove back to campus and crept into his dorm room, packing quickly before leaving the keys were Mark would spot them in the morning. He shouldered his duffle and then headed for the bus stop, ignoring the gnawing hunger and shaking limbs. He probably looked like a junky or something, a thought that was confirmed by the way people looked at him and then moved away. He paid for his ticket and got on, curling up with his walkman on loud enough to drown out all other noise, noises that were suddenly far louder than they'd ever been and the smells….

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He bolted for the road as he heard a woman scream, unable to ignore the cry for help even after over a year on his own. Powerful legs ate up the distance until he stopped to see what was happening. He growled as he saw the man pinning the woman against the car, slinking from the trees until he was right behind the man. He knew when the man realised something was behind him, could smell the sudden nervousness on him. He bared his teeth and growled threateningly. The man stiffened and then let go of the woman, backing away fearfully. The wolf stalked him until the man broke into a run, getting into a car further down the road and taking off. He then turned back to the woman who was staring at him with wide eyes. He whined and then let his tail wag, making her blink in surprise.

"Thank you." She whispered and he smiled, tongue lolling out. He approached slowly, not wanting to scare her and she stayed still before hesitantly holding a hand out. He sniffed it before licking it and then putting his head under it. She laughed and gently petted his head. He was happy that he had saved her and then cheered her up, he hadn't realised how much he had missed helping people. She seemed a nice lady, Native American from her looks, and he didn't want her to be scared of him. He'd deny it but he missed human contact so much.

Sue Clearwater stared at the large wolf that had saved her. When it walked towards her she stared into its eyes and saw something that shocked her…..human intelligence. She knew the legends of course but how was it possible? There hadn't been anyone who could transform since their grandparents days when the Cold Ones had lived in Forks. She petted the soft fur and smiled as the thick tail wagged in joy. She slowly knelt down and wrapped her arms around his neck, feeling the wolf melt into her arms and she knew whoever this poor boy was he hadn't been near people in a while.

"Are you hungry? I have some food in the car. The engine decided to stop so I'm stranded unless you know how to fix cars." She told him and he cocked his head in confusion.
"It's okay, I know what you are, you can change back." She told him, shocked by the terror in his eyes when she said that.
"It's alright, why are you afraid? Did you change without anyone to help you? I know the Elders haven't mentioned anything about it and I think most of the town would have noticed you springing up in height. It's an honour." She explained gently and the wolf whimpered.
"Please, everything will be alright." She whispered, she didn't know who it could possibly be or why he'd be so far from the Reservation but at the speed legend said they could move it probably didn't seem that far to the poor boy. How had no one noticed someone going through this? He backed away from her, heading for the forest and she followed. He growled but she could tell there was no real threat in it.
"Did you forget clothes? Is that why you won't change? I have some of Harry's with me; I can lend them to you." She offered and the wolf hesitated.
"If you don't want anyone to know I won't tell." She promised, looking into warm brown eyes.

The wolf moved closer to her again, rubbing his head against her and then he walked behind some trees. Sue tensed as she heard a pained noise and then quiet, human, footsteps. She gasped in surprise as the young man hesitated, keeping his lower body hidden. Shaggy brown hair fell to his shoulders and hazel eyes stared at her fearfully but there was something else too, longing and hope. That wasn't what shocked her though….he was a complete stranger and didn't look like he had any Quileute blood in him. His skin was tanned but she could tell that was from living in the wild, his natural skin colour was fairly pale. He started pulling back and she realised he had taken her silence badly so she smiled at him.

"My name is Sue Clearwater, what's yours?" She asked gently and the boy, because he couldn't be any older than eighteen or nineteen, licked his lips nervously.

"Sam." He answered shakily, not giving a last name but that was okay, she hadn't been sure he'd say anything.

"Thank you for saving me Sam. You just wait right here and I'll get you some cloths, okay?" She said and he chewed his lip.

"You….you said, what I am?" Sam whispered and she looked at him before gasping in shock.

"Don't you know?" Sue asked, unable to stay away when she saw the fear in his eyes.

"Monster." He whispered and Sue closed the distance, reaching up to cup the pale face.

"No sweetie, you're not a monster." She told him gently even as wide, scared hazel stared down at her. She gently patted his skin before moving one hand to the tangled hair, just gently running her fingers through a relatively snarl free section. She smiled as the child slowly relaxed, some o f the fear fading from his eyes. She went to move back, to go get him the clothes but he whimpered, one hand coming up to cling to her and she couldn't make herself leave him there. It wasn't like she'd never seen a naked man before between her husband and son.
"Okay, I won't leave you alone. Its okay, come to the car with me and we'll get you some clothes." She told him, gently tugging him despite knowing that he wouldn't move unless he wanted to. She was happy when the boy moved willingly, following her back to the car although he hesitated when they reached the end of the trees. She pulled out some old clothes from the back and handed them to him. Sam looked at them and then hesitantly pulled the shirt over his head, it was too small but better than nothing since she had to get him through town. The pants were far too short and loose through the waist but she watched as he straightened up, looking a bit more normal in the clothes. He gave her a hesitant smile and she smiled back.
"Don't suppose you know anything about engines?" She asked and to her surprise he opened the hood and bent over. She watched as he fiddled with something, reattaching a hose of some sort and then he went to the drivers' side, reaching in to start the engine. He glanced up at her and she grinned at him.
"Saved me twice huh Sam? Get in and we'll go back to the Reservation, I promise no one will hurt you, we can teach you what you are." Sue promised and he backed away, obviously conflicted.
"I promise Sam, it'll be okay. I bet it's been a while since you had a home cooked meal or a real bed to sleep in. We've got a guestroom you can use and you can have a hot shower." She coaxed and he stared at her before nodding hesitantly.

"Wait?" He asked and she nodded, leaning against the car to show she wasn't going anywhere. He dashed back into the woods and she waited, praying the poor boy would come back. She reached in and got her purse, digging through it until she found her cell phone. She didn't want him overwhelmed by the children after all. Sue made the call and then settled in to wait for Sam. She relaxed when he came back, a ripped and dirty bag in his arms. So he did have some things of his own, which was good. She got in the car and leant over, opening the passenger door. He got in, curling up to lean against the door, watching the scenery as she drove. She could feel him tensing as buildings started to appear and reached over to lay a gentle hand on his arm. He jumped slightly but then relaxed a little so she rubbed at his arm, trying to sooth him. She finally made it home and parked, smiling when he stared around in awe. She knew to most her house wasn't much but Sam looked at it like it was a mansion. How long had he been living wild? But maybe it was more important to ask just what sort of life he'd had before that.

"Ready to go inside? My husband Harry and a friend, Billy are inside. They won't hurt you Sam." She told him, getting out. Sam got out a lot slower, hesitating and then freezing when the screen door opened and Harry walked outside. Harry looked utterly relieved to see her before glancing over at Sam. She hadn't had time to tell him much; just that she had run into trouble and was bringing her saviour home. She'd also told him the poor boy had been living wild.

"Sue." Harry called, walking over and embracing her.

"I'm fine Harry. Sam saved me." She reached out and gently tugged Sam closer.
"Sam this is my husband Harry, one of our tribal elders."

"Hello Sam, thank you for helping Sue." Harry held out his hand and Sam hesitated, looking to Sue before shaking Harry's hand. Harry frowned at the heat coming from the pale skin, worried the kid was sick.

"H…Hello sir." Sam answered and Harry was relieved to find the boy wasn't mute.

"It's just Harry, Sam. How about we get inside and eat some of Sue's delicious cooking." Harry said, grinning at his wife who laughed and nodded.

"Come on inside Sam. Harry'll show you were the bathroom is so you can have a shower before dinner." Sue coaxed and Sam followed her inside, sticking close to Sue, and looking around, searching for exists. Harry frowned as he watched the boy; poor kid was almost like a wild animal. It said a lot abut him that even with as wild as he was he had helped Sue. Sam froze though when he spotted Billy, backing away until his back hit a wall.
"Sam its okay honey." Sue soothed and Sam started to shake. Sue paused, a little worried, but she couldn't leave the boy in that state.
"Sam look at me. No one is going to hurt you. That's Billy, he's another Elder." Sue soothed, reaching out to gently stroke Sam's cheek, smiling when he relaxed, even leaning into her touch. Sam looked from her to Billy and then down at the floor. Billy carefully wheeled himself closer.

"Heard you stepped in and helped Sue, Sam. That was a very brave thing you did." Billy told him, smiling warmly when hazel eyes flickered up to him. He held out his hand and Sam slowly took it, shaking hands with him.

"Now how about you go clean up, take as long as you want. We have plenty of hot water." Sue told him and Sam nodded.

"Come on Sam, I'll show you where everything is." Harry offered and Sam looked at Sue who nodded at him before following Harry from the room. Harry showed him where the things he needed was, noticing how the kid clung to his bag.
"You have clothes?" He asked and Sam nodded.
"Okay then, come back downstairs when you're done." Harry told him before leaving him to it, hoping Sam knew how to work the toilet and shower. He heard the water come on a few seconds later and headed downstairs.
"What's going on Sue?" He asked and she sighed.

"He's a wolf." She answered and both men stared at her.

"What?" Billy asked and she sat down, watching the food as it cooked.

"I was pinned to the car and then this huge wolf appeared, chased him off. He came back to me and he was so gentle. I looked in his eyes and I saw it Harry, human intelligence. I thought one of the boys had changed without anyone noticing. I finally talked him into changing and he was so scared of me. He thought he was a monster! That poor boy, I think he's been running wild since he transformed, scared of what he is." Sue explained and the men stared at her. How was it possible? Only their tribe transformed into wolves and Sam wasn't one of them.

"That's impossible Sue; he's not one of us." Billy pointed out but Harry frowned in thought.

"But there have been incidences where people have intermarried outside the tribe or even had a short relationship. If it was a few generations ago and there was no more mixing then there'd be no reason for him to carry any physical resemblance to us." Harry pointed out and they both stared at him, stunned. But it was true.

"Poor kid though, I wonder what triggered it? The thought of going through that alone…." Billy shuddered and the others nodded. Sue got up to start plating up the food, knowing the smell would reach Sam. Sure enough he was soon standing hesitantly in the entry to the kitchen, looking a lot better now that he was clean. His hair was still wet and a bit tangled and he'd shaved off what little facial hair he'd had. He was also wearing his own clothes though they weren't in the best condition, Harry's clothes and his tattered bag clutched in his arms.

"Just in time Sam, dinner's ready. Come sit down." Sue urged and Sam slowly walked into the kitchen, holding Harry's clothes out to her. Sue smiled and took them, putting them in the corner to wash later. She gently pushed Sam down into a chair and put a plate in front of him. He stared at the food, his hands shaking and looking a little lost. All three of them felt a swell of sympathy for the poor boy even as he glanced up and then ducked his head in shame, hiding behind his hair. Sue stood behind him and gently ran her fingers through his hair, calming him down much to the men's amazement.
"It's okay Sam; eat as much as you want. I remember the legends; you need to eats more than we do. And I figured burgers are nice and easy. We don't bother with cutlery for them either." She told him and Sam nodded, picking up the burger and slowly taking a bite, closing his eyes before looking up at her in wonder.
"Good?" She asked and he nodded before swallowing.

"I..I haven't…." He stammered and she nodded.

"You've been out there on your own for a while haven't you son." Billy asked gently and Sam stared at him before slowly nodding his head.
"How long ago did you first change? Could you tell us what caused it?" He asked and Sam's breathing picked up.

"It's alright Sam, you're safe here. We…" She looked at her husband and Billy who nodded, Sam needed to know.
"To understand what happened to you we need to tell you the history of our tribe. But it would also help if we knew what happened to you." She explained and Sam thought it over before nodding.

"I….I was at college. There were attacks. My family….I left because I couldn't do it any more…." Sam whispered and Sue frowned in confusion, kneeling beside him.

"Do what Sam?"

"Hunt." He got out shakily and they all frowned.
"My Mom…..something killed her when I was a baby, in my nursery. Since then we hunted anything that hurt people but I hated it. I just wanted to be normal so I left. That didn't work out." Sam admitted and Sue gasped, reaching out to hug him. Sam stiffened but she stayed until he relaxed, letting her hold him.
"But people were dying so I got what I'd packed and tried to find it. I did but it was nothing I'd ever seen before. Cold skin, red eyes…..so strong. I think I was dying and I just got so mad and then it's like the world exploded. Then I was a wolf and I found these pieces all around me. Burnt them so no one would now then I grabbed my stuff and ran. Been living in the forests since, always travelling. Never went near people but I heard you scream, I couldn't ignore it." Sam explained and they all stiffened as his description, no wonder he'd phased.

"How long as it been Sam?" Sue asked gently.

"I…I don't know, what's the date?" He asked and Sue smiled at him.

"December fifteenth 2002." She answered and Sam stared at her in surprise.
"Sam?"

"I….I left….it's been a year?" he whispered.

"Oh Sam, I'm so sorry." She whispered, looking at her husband and Billy.

"It is time for you to hear the tribal history. The Quileutes have been a small people from the beginning," Billy said told him.
"And we are a small people. Still are, but we have never disappeared. This is because there has always been magic in our blood. It wasn't always the magic of shape-shifting — that came later. First, we were spirit warriors." He explained, motioning for Sam to eat more as he did.
"In the beginning, the tribe settled in this harbor and became skilled ship builders and fishermen. But the tribe was small, and the harbor was rich in fish. There were others who coveted our land, and we were too small to hold it. A larger tribe moved against us, and we took to our ships to escape them. Kaheleha was not the first spirit warrior, but we do not remember the stories that came before his. We do not remember who was the first to discover this power, or how it had been used before this crisis. Kaheleha was the first great Spirit Chief in our history. In this emergency, Kaheleha used the magic to defend our land. He and all his warriors left the ship — not their bodies, but their spirits. Their women watched over the bodies and the waves, and the men took their spirits back to our harbor. They could not physically touch the enemy tribe, but they had other ways. The stories tell us that they could blow fierce winds into their enemy's camps; they could make a great screaming in the wind that terrified their foes. The stories also tell us that the animals could see the spirit warriors and understand them; the animals would do their bidding." Billy was amused by how enraptured Sam looked even as he ate he was still listening intently.
"Kaheleha took his spirit army and wreaked havoc on the intruders. This invading tribe had packs of big, thick-furred dogs that they used to pull their sleds in the frozen north. The spirit warriors turned the dogs against their masters and then brought a mighty infestation of bats up from the cliff caverns. They used the screaming wind to aid the dogs in confusing the men. The dogs and bats won. The survivors scattered, calling our harbor a cursed place. The dogs ran wild when the spirit warriors released them. The Quileutes returned to their bodies and their wives, victorious. The other nearby tribes, the Hohs and the Makahs, made treaties with the Quileutes. They wanted nothing to do with our magic. We lived in peace with them. When an enemy came against us, the spirit warriors would drive them off. Generations passed. Then came the last great Spirit Chief, Taha Aki. He was known for his wisdom, and for being a man of peace. The people lived well and content in his care. But there was one man, Utlapa, who was not content. Utlapa was one of Chief Taha Aki's strongest spirit warriors — a powerful man, but a grasping man, too. He thought the people should use their magic to expand their lands, to enslave the Hohs and the Makahs and build an empire. Now, when the warriors were their spirit selves, they knew each other's thoughts. Taha Aki saw what Utlapa dreamed, and was angry with Utlapa. Utlapa was commanded to leave the people, and never use his spirit self again. Utlapa was a strong man, but the chief's warriors outnumbered him. He had no choice but to leave. The furious outcast hid in the forest nearby, waiting for a chance to get revenge against the chief. Even in times of peace, the Spirit Chief was vigilant in protecting his people. Often, he would go to a sacred, secret place in the mountains. He would leave his body behind and sweep down through the forests and along the coast, making sure no threat approached. One day when Taha Aki left to perform this duty, Utlapa followed. At first, Utlapa simply planned to kill the chief, but this plan had its drawbacks. Surely the spirit warriors would seek to destroy him, and they could follow faster than he could escape. As he hid in the rocks and watched the chief prepare to leave his body, another plan occurred to him. Taha Aki left his body in the secret place and flew with the winds to keep watch over his people. Utlapa waited until he was sure the chief had traveled some distance with his spirit self. Taha Aki knew it the instant that Utlapa had joined him in the spirit world, and he also knew Utlapa's murderous plan. He raced back to his secret place, but even the winds weren't fast enough to save him. When he returned, his body was already gone. Utlapa's body lay abandoned, but Utlapa had not left Taha Aki with an escape — he had cut his own body's throat with Taha Aki's hands. Taha Aki followed his body down the mountain. He screamed at Utlapa, but Utlapa ignored him as if he were mere wind. Taha Aki watched with despair as Utlapa took his place as chief of the Quileutes. For a few weeks, Utlapa did nothing but make sure that everyone believed he was Taha Aki. Then the changes began — Utlapa's first edict was to forbid any warrior to enter the spirit world. He claimed that he'd had a vision of danger, but really he was afraid. He knew that Taha Aki would be waiting for the chance to tell his story. Utlapa was also afraid to enter the spirit world himself, knowing Taha Aki would quickly claim his body. So his dreams of conquest with a spirit warrior army were impossible, and he sought to content himself with ruling over the tribe. He became a burden — seeking privileges that Taha Aki had never requested, refusing to work alongside his warriors, taking a young second wife and then a third, though Taha Aki's wife lived on — something unheard of in the tribe. Taha Aki watched in helpless fury." Billy paused and Harry took over for him while he drank some water.

"Eventually, Taha Aki tried to kill his body to save the tribe from Utlapa's excesses. He brought a fierce wolf down from the mountains, but Utlapa hid behind his warriors. When the wolf killed a young man who was protecting the false chief, Taha Aki felt horrible grief. He ordered the wolf away. All the stories tell us that it was no easy thing to be a spirit warrior. It was more frightening than exhilarating to be freed from one's body. This is why they only used their magic in times of need. The chief's solitary journeys to keep watch were a burden and a sacrifice. Being bodiless was disorienting, uncomfortable, horrifying. Taha Aki had been away from his body for so long at this point that he was in agony. He felt he was doomed — never to cross over to the final land where his ancestors waited, stuck in this torturous nothingness forever. The great wolf followed Taha Aki's spirit as he twisted and writhed in agony through the woods. The wolf was very large for its kind, and beautiful. Taha Aki was suddenly jealous of the dumb animal. At least it had a body. At least it had a life. Even life as an animal would be better than this horrible empty consciousness. And then Taha Aki had the idea that changed us all. He asked the great wolf to make room for him, to share. The wolf complied. Taka Aki entered the wolf's body with relief and gratitude. It was not his human body, but it was better than the void of the spirit world. As one, the man and the wolf returned to the village on the harbor. The people ran in fear, shouting for the warriors to come. The warriors ran to meet the wolf with their spears. Utlapa, of course, stayed safely hidden. Taha Aki did not attack his warriors. He retreated slowly from them, speaking with his eyes and trying to yelp the songs of his people. The warriors began to realize that the wolf was no ordinary animal, that there was a spirit influencing it. One older warrior, a man name Yut, decided to disobey the false chief's order and try to communicate with the wolf. As soon as Yut crossed to the spirit world, Taha Aki left the wolf — the animal waited tamely for his return — to speak to him. Yut gathered the truth in an instant, and welcomed his true chief home. At this time, Utlapa came to see if the wolf had been defeated. When he saw Yut lying lifeless on the ground, surrounded by protective warriors, he realized what was happening. He drew his knife and raced forward to kill Yut before he could return to his body. 'Traitor,' he screamed, and the warriors did not know what to do. The chief had forbidden spirit journeys, and it was the chief's decision how to punish those who disobeyed. Yut jumped back into his body, but Utlapa had his knife at his throat and a hand covering his mouth. Taha Aki's body was strong, and Yut was weak with age. Yut could not say even one word to warn the others before Utlapa silenced him forever. Taha Aki watched as Yut's spirit slipped away to the final lands that were barred to Taha Aki for all eternity. He felt a great rage, more powerful than anything he'd felt before. He entered the big wolf again, meaning to rip Utlapa's throat out. But, as he joined the wolf, the greatest magic happened. Taha Aki's anger was the anger of a man. The love he had for his people and the hatred he had for their oppressor were too vast for the wolf's body, too human. The wolf shuddered, and — before the eyes of the shocked warriors and Utlapa — transformed into a man. The new man did not look like Taha Aki's body. He was far more glorious. He was the flesh interpretation of Taha Aki's spirit. The warriors recognized him at once, though, for they had flown with Taha Aki's spirit. Utlapa tried to run, but Taha Aki had the strength of the wolf in his new body. He caught the thief and crushed the spirit from him before he could jump out of the stolen body. The people rejoiced when they understood what had happened. Taha Aki quickly set everything right, working again with his people and giving the young wives back to their families. The only change he kept in place was the end of the spirit travels. He knew that it was too dangerous now that the idea of stealing a life was there. The spirit warriors were no more. From that point on, Taha Aki was more than either wolf or man. They called him Taha Aki the Great Wolf, or Taha Aki the Spirit Man. He led the tribe for many, many years, for he did not age. When danger threatened, he would resume his wolf-self to fight or frighten the enemy. The people dwelt in peace. Taha Aki fathered many sons, and some of these found that, after they had reached the age of manhood, they, too, could transform into wolves. The wolves were all different, because they were spirit wolves and reflected the man they were inside. Some of the sons became warriors with Taha Aki, and they no longer aged. Others, who did not like the transformation, refused to join the pack of wolf-men. These began to age again, and the tribe discovered that the wolf-men could grow old like anyone else if they gave up their spirit wolves. Taha Aki had lived the span of three old men's lives. He had married a third wife after the deaths of the first two, and found in her his true spirit wife. Though he had loved the others, this was something else. He decided to give up his spirit wolf so that he would die when she did." Harry concluded, leaning back in his seat since he knew Billy would tell the rest. Sam was still listening though obviously shocked by what he'd heard.

"That was the story of the spirit warriors," Billy started, smiling gently at Sam.
"This is the story of the third wife's sacrifice. Many years after Taha Aki gave up his spirit wolf, when he was an old man, trouble began in the north, with the Makahs. Several young women of their tribe had disappeared, and they blamed it on the neighboring wolves, who they feared and mistrusted. The wolf-men could still read each other's thoughts while in their wolf forms, just like their ancestors had while in their spirit forms. They knew that none of their number was to blame. Taha Aki tried to pacify the Makah chief, but there was too much fear. Taha Aki did not want to have a war on his hands. He was no longer a warrior to lead his people. He charged his oldest wolf-son, Taha Wi, with finding the true culprit before hostilities began. Taha Wi led the five other wolves in his pack on a search through the mountains, looking for any evidence of the missing Makahs. They came across something they had never encountered before — a strange, sweet scent in the forest that burned their noses to the point of did not know what creature would leave such a scent, but they followed it. They found faint traces of human scent, and human blood, along the trail. They were sure this was the enemy they were searching for. The journey took them so far north that Taha Wi sent half the pack, the younger ones, back to theharbor to report to Taha Aki. Taha Wi and his two brothers did not return. The younger brothers searched for their elders, but found only silence. Taha Aki mourned for his sons. He wished to avenge his sons' death, but he was old. He went to the Makah chief in his mourning clothes and told him everything that had happened. The Makah chief believed his grief, and tensions ended between the tribes. A year later, two Makah maidens disappeared from their homes on the same night. The Makahs called on the Quileute wolves at once, who found the same sweet stink all through the Makah village. The wolves went on the hunt again. Only one came back. He was Yaha Uta, the oldest son of Taka Aki's third wife, and the youngest in the pack. He brought something with him that had never been seen in all the days of the Quileutes — a strange, cold, stony corpse that he carried in pieces. All who were of Taha Aki's blood, even those who had never been wolves, could smell the piercing smell of the dead creature. This was the enemy of the Makahs. Yaha Uta described what had happened: he and his brothers had found the creature, who looked like a man but was hard as a granite rock, with the two Makah daughters. One girl was already dead, white and bloodless on the ground. The other was in the creature's arms, his mouth at her throat. She may have been alive when they came upon the hideous scene, but the creature quickly snapped her neck and tossed her lifeless body to the ground when they approached. His white lips were covered in her blood, and his eyes glowed red. Yaha Uta described the fierce strength and speed of the creature. One of his brothers quickly became a victim when he underestimated that strength. The creature ripped him apart like a doll. Yaha Uta and his other brother were more wary. They worked together, coming at the creature from the sides, outmanoeuvring it. They had to reach the very limits of their wolf strength and speed, something that had never been tested before. The creature was hard as stone and cold as ice. They found that only their teeth could damage it. They began to rip small pieces of the creature apart while it fought them. But the creature learned quickly, and soon was matching their maneuvers. It got its hands on Yaha Uta's brother. Yaha Uta found an opening on the creature's throat, and he lunged. His teeth tore the head off the creature, but the hands continued to mangle his brother. Yaha Uta ripped the creature into unrecognizable chunks, tearing pieces apart in a desperate attempt to save his brother. He was too late, but, in the end, the creature was destroyed. Or so they thought. Yaha Uta laid the reeking remains out to be examined by the elders. One severed hand lay beside a piece of the creature's granite arm. The two pieces touched when the elders poked them with sticks, and the hand reached out towards the arm piece, trying to reassemble itself. Horrified, the elders set fire to the remains. A great cloud of choking, vile smoke polluted the air. When there was nothing but ashes, they separated the ashes into many small bags and spread them far and wide— some in the ocean, some in the forest, some in the cliff caverns. Taha Aki wore one bag around his neck, so he would be warned if the creature ever tried to put himself together again. They called it The Cold One, the Blood Drinker, and lived in fear that it was not alone. They only had one wolf protector left, young Yaha Uta. They did not have long to wait. The creature had a mate, another blood drinker, who came to the Quileutes seeking revenge. The stories say that the Cold Woman was the most beautiful thing human eyes had ever seen. She looked like the goddess of the dawn when she entered the village that morning; the sun was shining for once, and it glittered off her white skin and lit the golden hair that flowed down to her knees. Her face was magical in its beauty, her eyes black in her white face. Some fell to their knees to worship her. She asked something in a high, piercing voice, in a language no one had ever heard. The people were dumbfounded, not knowing how to answer her. There was none of Taha Aki's blood among the witnesses but one small boy. He clung to his mother and screamed that the smell was hurting his nose. One of the elders, on his way to council, heard the boy and realized what had come among them. He yelled for the people to run. She killed him first. There were twenty witnesses to the Cold Woman's approach. Two survived, only because she grew distracted by the blood, and paused to sate her thirst. They ran to Taha Aki, who sat in counsel with the other elders, his sons, and his third wife. Yaha Uta transformed into his spirit wolf as soon as he heard the news. He went to destroy the blood drinker alone. Taha Aki, his third wife, his sons, and his elders followed behind him. At first they could not find the creature, only the evidence of her attack. Bodies lay broken, a few drained of blood, strewn across the road where she'd appeared. Then they heard the screams and hurried to the harbor. A handful of the Quileutes had run to the ships for refuge. She swam after them like a shark, and broke the bow of their boat with her incredible strength. When the ship sank, she caught those trying to swim away and broke them, too. She saw the great wolf on the shore, and she forgot the fleeing swimmers. She swam so fast she was a blur and came, dripping and glorious, to stand before Yaha Uta. She pointed at him with one white finger and asked another incomprehensible question. Yaha Uta waited. It was a close fight. She was not the warrior her mate had been. But Yaha Uta was alone — there was no one to distract her fury from him. When Yaha Uta lost, Taha Aki screamed in defiance. He limped forward and shifted into an ancient, white-muzzled wolf. The wolf was old, but this was Taha Aki the Spirit Man, and his rage made him strong. The fight began again. Taha Aki's third wife had just seen her son die before her. Now her husband fought, and she had no hope that he could win. She'd heard every word the witnesses to the slaughter had told the council. She'd heard the story of Yaha Uta's first victory, and knew that his brother's diversion had saved him. The third wife grabbed a knife from the belt of one of the sons who stood beside her. They were all young sons, not yet men, and she knew they would die when their father failed. "The third wife ran toward the Cold Woman with the dagger raised high. The Cold Woman smiled, barely distracted from her fight with the old wolf. She had no fear of the weak human woman or the knife that would not even scratch her skin, and she was about to deliver the death blow to Taha Aki. And then the third wife did something the Cold Woman did not expect. She fell to her knees at the blood drinker's feet and plunged the knife into her own heart. Blood spurted through the third wife's fingers and splashed against the Cold Woman. The blood drinker could not resist the lure of the fresh blood leaving the third wife's body. Instinctively, she turned to the dying woman, for one second entirely consumed by thirst. Taha Aki's teeth closed around her neck. That was not the end of the fight, but Taha Aki was not alone now. Watching their mother die, two young sons felt such rage that they sprang forth as their spirit wolves, though they were not yet men. With their father, they finished the creature. Taha Aki never rejoined the tribe. He never changed back to a man again. He lay for one day besidethe body of the third wife, growling whenever anyone tried to touch her, and then he went into the forest and never returned. Trouble with the cold ones was rare from that time on. Taha Aki's sons guarded the tribe until their sons were old enough to take their places. There were never more than three wolves at a time. It was enough. Occasionally a blood drinker would come through these lands, but they were taken by surprise, not expecting the wolves. Sometimes a wolf would die, but never were they decimated again like that first time. They'd learned how to fight the cold ones, and they passed the knowledge on, wolf mind to wolf mind, spirit to spirit, father to son. Time passed, and the descendants of Taha Aki no longer became wolves when they reached manhood. Only in a great while, if a cold one was near, would the wolves return. The cold ones always came in ones and twos, and the pack stayed small. A bigger coven came, and our own grandfathers prepared to fight them off. But the leader spoke to Ephraim Black as if he were a man, and promised not to harm the Quileutes. His strange yellow eyes gave some proof to his claim that they were not the same as other blood drinkers. The wolves were outnumbered; there was no need for the cold ones to offer a treaty when they could have won the fight. Ephraim accepted. They lived in peace for years until the coven left and since then there have been no wolves, until you." Billy finished.

"The man I fought, he was one of your Cold Ones…..that caused me to….to change?" Sam said and Billy nodded.

"It was all that saved your life Sam, no human can match them." He told him and Sam nodded.

"But how can I be? I'm not…"

"How well do you know your family history? We believe that maybe several generations ago a member of our tribe may have been with someone in your family." Billy told him and Sam frowned.

"I don't, Dad never really talked about it. I know all my grandparents were dead by the time Mom died.

"If you know their names we could search back. You could have family here still, distant yes but still family." Sue offered and Sam shook his head.

"I can't stay." He argued and Billy sighed.

"Sam you aren't dangerous. Yes you have to watch your strength and temper now but you are a protector." He assured the poor scared kid because that was what Sam was.

"Please stay Sam, here you'll have people who understand, you can help you. You may be the only wolf but there are those who remember their grandparents." Sue told him and Sam looked away.

"I…." Sam looked between them and Harry reached out to place a weathered hand on his shoulder.

"At least stay tonight, you can think about it tomorrow. You don't have to live on the run Sam, be the wolf but be human as well. Take the time to catch up on what's been happening the last year." He offered and Sam slowly nodded, making them all smile at him.

"I should get home; make sure the kids haven't wrecked the place." Billy admitted.
"Thanks for the food Sue."

"Are you sure you can handle my lot?" Sue asked and Sam frowned.

"They'll keep Jake out of my hair. I'll send them back tomorrow."

"You have kids? Did you make them leave because…." Sam shifted nervously.

"We just didn't want to crowd you so quickly. You can meet them tomorrow." Sue told him and Sam nodded.
"Are you full?" She asked and Sam blushed in embarrassment.

"It's nothing to be ashamed of; I remember how much my grandfather used to eat. Besides you're too skinny kid." Billy told him.
"Night all." He said and then left.

"Come on Sam, I'll show you the room so you can get some sleep." Sue told him and Sam followed her upstairs.

TBC…