A femslash fanfiction gift exchange in the spirit of femslash12 and its predecessors.
(Closed, Unmoderated, Gift Exchange Challenge)
About Femslash Exchange 2013 (femslashex_2013)
3 - 13 September: Nomination Period
15 - 25 September: Signups open
27 September: Assignments will be sent out by this date
5 November: No penalty default date
9 November: Fics are due
12 November: Archive goes live (or as soon as everyone has a story)
FAQ and Rules adapted from rarepairfest and femslash12.
- This fest is to celebrate femslash in ALL fandoms. Canon or non-canon pairings are welcome. RPF is welcome, as long as both parties are sixteen or older at time of nomination.
- For the purpose of this fest, femslash is defined as fic containing a relationship between two or more characters who identify as female in canon. That means you may not request genderswap or "always a girl" fics for canon male-identified characters. To be clear:
- You may request fic about cis female-identified characters.
- You may request fic about transgender women, such as Ms Hudson from Elementary.
- You may also request fic about canonically genderqueer and gender-questioning characters regardless of their assigned gender, such as Franky from Skins UK, Alister/Athena from Huge, and Xavin from Runaways.
- You may request a canonically always female alternate universe version of a character who is male in the main universe, such as Natasha Stark from Marvel 3490
- You may not request fic about characters who are male-identified in canon.
- You may not request fic about male-identified characters who are temporarily transformed or body swapped into an assigned-female body, such as Guy Gardner in Guy Gardner: Warriorette (if you don't know, don't ask).
- Fic must include a romantic and/or sexual relationship of some kind. This is not a friendship ficathon. That means there should be some kind of f/f romance, longing, kissing, love, and/or sex. You're welcome to request and write fic about asexual characters as long as it's in the spirit of this rule.
- You must have an Archive of Our Own (AO3) account to participate. If you do not have one, please send an email to us at email@example.com with the email address you would like us to send the invite.
- Before signups, we will have a nomination period for people to pick fandoms and relationships that they would like included in the fest. Each person can nominate up to five fandoms, with up to five pairings within each. Please only nominate fandoms that you plan to offer to write or request to have written for you.
- In your signup, do not imply rank for pairings or otherwise specify a favourite pairing. There is no need to make the person you are assigned feel bad if you want something they are not comfortable writing. You can edit/delete your signup until signups close. There will be an option where you can select to request/offer ANY of the nominated pairings. Please don't select the option if you are not truly open to all of them.
- Requester - Signups must include 3-5 fandoms from our list of nominated fandoms, and may include up to six pairings in each of those fandoms. For ease of matching, three of those fandoms MUST request at least two pairings. You may ask for single pairings in your remaining two fandoms, though obviously the more pairings you ask for, the easier matching will be. You will be matched on fandom and pairing alone. While the description section is optional, we strongly suggest you include squicks. Other things to consider are the inclusion of general likes, rating restrictions, prompt ideas, or anything else you’d like the writer to know. However, please remember that these are optional for the person assigned to you. If you have a lot to say, consider linking to a letter in your own journal with the extra details (like with Yuletide).
- Offerer - You may offer between 3-10 with up to 10 pairings per fandom. For ease of matching, three of those fandoms MUST offer at least two pairings. You may offer single pairings in your remaining seven fandoms, though obviously the more pairings you offer, the easier matching will be. You can also choose to offer to write "any" pairing in a given fandom. Only sign up for fandoms you are comfortable writing. You are not obligated to write ALL pairings. Pick whatever you are comfortable with. You don’t have to write the fandom/pairing you were matched on if something else listed the person requested interests you. The only requirement is that the pairing is one requested and that none of the squicks be included. While it is not required, if possible use one of the requested prompts if provided. While the author will not be bound by the scenarios, creating something that blatantly disregards the recipient's likes/dislikes will not be accepted.
- Nominated pairings cannot include threesomes or moresomes, though you are welcome to list threesomes/moresomes you'd like in your optional details.
- Crossover pairings are not allowed as part of your main signup; however, you can include such preferences in the optional description section of your signup. We will not match you on this, and it’s up to the discretion of the person assigned to you whether they decide that they’re up to such a challenge. There are no guarantees you will get a crossover if you request one.
- If you have a problem with, any questions about, or cannot complete your assignment, please contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This is an exchange fest, which means you must produce a fic for someone else. If you withdraw, it is harder for everyone involved. So please, think carefully if you have the time before signing up. If you withdraw and the person assigned to create something for you withdraws, you will not be assigned a pinch hitter. If you discover after signing up that you can't finish the fic in time, contact the moderators as soon as possible.
- In the event we have issues matching someone, they will go out as a pinch hit right away. You can find the pinch hits here.
- Due to the nature of this fest, it is hard for extensions to be given. If you know you won't be able to submit by the due date, please default as soon as possible. If you default prior to the no penalty default date, you may participate next year with no problems. If you default after the date, do not submit your fic, or submit an unfinished fic, you will not be able to participate in the next fest.
- NO WANK! Be respectful. Please realize that everyone has different likes/interests/dislikes.
- All fics have to be a minimum of 1,000 words. There is no maximum word count.
- Submissions may be any rating.
- Submissions must be femslash.
- Betas are not required but strongly encouraged. Submissions with excessive spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors will be rejected. If your submission is rejected for this reason you can resubmit it after you've corrected your mistakes. We will have a beta sign up post for those that will need one.
- Please don't talk about the specifics of your assignment in public. We'd like it to be a surprise for everyone.
- Stories can't be part of a previously posted series.