(Open, Unmoderated, Gift Exchange Challenge)
About Apocalyptothon 2011 (apocalyptothon2011)
Welcome to the 2011 Post-Apocalyptic Multifandom Ficathon!
Signups start Friday June 17th. Tell your friends!
Sign-ups will be closed on Friday June 24th at 11:00 PM EDT, and assignments will go out that weekend.
Stories will be due by 11 PM EDT, Saturday August 13th. The archive opens for reading on Sunday August 21st.
Changes from last year:
Signups & posting take place on AO3, not on the LJ community. No emailing in of drafts. No extensions of any sort.
1. You only have to write one of the requests you receive; however, if you wish to write any more, knock yourself out.
2. Your story must be at least 1000 words long. No maximum word count as long as you finish by the due date (11pm eastern, Saturday August 13th). Do not post an unfinished story (like, chapter 1/???), because that’s not fair to your recipient.
3. Your story must be set before, during, or after the apocalypse. The apocalypse can be naturally occurring (the ice caps melting, an asteroid striking the planet, the Yellowstone caldera exploding), manmade (nuclear war, biological warfare), mystical (whatever that might entail in your particular universe), or whatever works within the confines of the request. Exercise good taste and use your imagination to write about a fake disaster; writing about other people’s real-life tragedies is just tacky. Don’t write the fic to which fandom awards the “fail of the week” when you could write one people will love!
4. Don't tell anyone but your beta or betas which assignment you've gotten, especially the person whose assignment you've received. If you really need to ask your recipient a question, anonymous comments on the announcement post are allowed, and the mods can act as go-betweens.
5. You must click “Post to fulfill” on your AO3 assignment and upload your fic by 11pm eastern, Saturday August 13th. If there is no story in the archive by you at that point, we will assign a pinch hitter to ensure that your recipient gets a story. If you miss the deadline but think you can finish before the archive opens, great! We'll give the assignment to a pinch hitter as well and maybe your recipient will get two stories. :)
6. If you need to default, press the “default” button on AO3. If you do this before the deadline (11pm eastern, Saturday August 13th), there is no penalty. (Of course, if you determine that you cannot write your story, the sooner you default, the sooner we can line up a pinch hitter.)
If the deadline has passed and you haven’t posted and haven’t defaulted, you’ll be banned from future participation. Also, if you never posted your assigned story last year and never bothered to tell us or contact us about it, please do not sign up, as you are disqualified from playing.
7. Get your story beta-read before posting; it’s your funeral if you don’t, pal. You'll be able to edit in any changes your beta gives you after the August 13th deadline and before the archive opens for reading.