Actions

Work Header

Tempest Seduction

Summary:

Crimson flower route- Dimitri's scouts have found Byleth before she's woken up and returned to Edelgard's side. Rhea still wants her heart torn out but Dimitri would rather keep it for himself. Thinking that it's the best way to keep her safe and bind her to him she wakes up to find herself with a ring on her hand and in his room. Dimitri is determined to make sure she has no reason to want to leave him and make sure that neither Edelgard or Rhea can get their claws into her.

This one is the fluffier route of the two I'm doing for this prompt and features
Byleth playing with the divine pulses
Dimitri lying to her but not forcing himself on her- dubious consent, getting carries away yes, but he does learn from his mistakes
a very fluffy "I know you're my wife since my word is law, but I want to ask you properly because you're awake and its what you asked of me"

Notes:

So this is another prompt fill-
https://3houseskinkmeme.dreamwidth.org/476.html?thread=45532#cmt45532
So I played around with if I wanted to do this or not. Y'all know I am a huge dimileth fan and it wouldn't leave my head alone. I had shared this what I had with the requester because I wasn't sure if this was where they wanted it to go, because I usually dabble with fluff and not the darker stuff. It's more like mind bend vs mind break. The requester liked what I had so I'm continuing with the project and posting it here for easy access. I'm thinking at least 3 chapters it kinda grew bigger than I expected. *edit this thing has become a monster that has taken over my mind and will be alot more than just three xD

So the warnings- I do NOT plan on rape and/or physical abuse. This subject may still trigger a few people- Byleth is waking up with the lie that they're already married and he will do what he can to keep her at his side. He's been harboring an obsession for her all these years. So to have her at his side before El can get her claws back into Byleth is one more incentive to make sure she doesn't want to go back. She isn't allowed to leave the room because of Rhea. Because of this, there are some dark/ obsessive overtones. So please take care of yourselves, if this isn't a version of Dimitri you like then please go for something like lion's dance that is full of fluff and more in character (which I am working on next chapter sorry for the delay)

Also I'd like to thank LuminousxRuin for talking with me in the Path of the Storm comments which I've reread I'm not sure how many times now XD it enforces perfectly how yeah on the battlefield Dimitri is a brutal force of nature, but when it comes to Byleth, even if its a twisted obsessive sort of love she is the most important thing to him besides his debt to the dead and the revenge that comes with it

Chapter 1: Ensnared

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

--------------------------------------------

 

“Your majesty, there is something our scouts near the monastery found that might interest you.”

Dimitri turned around. There wasn’t much in this world that would merit bothering him directly. The scout motioned to the ones near the door that had a large tied up blanket. 

“We haven’t let anyone else see her, but based on past descriptions she is the one you spent all that time looking for. You had told us if we had any information on her to bring her straight to you,” the captain reported.

Her? Dimitri’s breathing caught in his chest. After five years of not even finding a single trace, five years of Edelgard sending out her troops only focused on finding her, could it be that she had fallen into his grasp instead? They untied the knot and the fabric fell from the form inside. He grinned at the sight. It was Byleth. 

“You’ve done well. Has anyone else seen her?” Dimitri asked.

The captain shook his head. “No, we fished her out of the river and covered her up immediately. The three of us here in this room are the only ones.”

Dimitri knelt to get a closer look. “Noone is to know she’s here. Your heads will roll if you speak of her, do you understand?”

The captain swallowed. “We understand your majesty.”

Dimitri ignored them as he picked up the cloth Byleth was in his arms. He took the sword of the creator in his hand and turned towards his chambers. She seemed so small and fragile in comparison to his memory. She had been one of the few that had worried him when they had to fight against in the battle of the eagle and lion. They said they had fished her out of the river. He could believe it with how she was caked in drying mud. The cloth had kept him from getting smeared with dirt, but he wondered what he should do with her.

There had to be a reason that Edelgard was so keen on getting her back. She had also been missing for five years. Where had she gone if she wasn’t by Edelgard’s side? She didn’t look as if she had aged a day. Her breathing was soft, her chest barely moving. She had sided with Edelgard and he wanted answers as to why before he decided on her sentencing.

“She’s an enemy boy! Send Edelgard back her pet back to her in pieces, or have you lost your resolve?” Lambert hissed in his ear.

Dimitri ignored him. He would wait until he could talk to her before he killed her.

“Spineless coward! You’ve always fancied her! The moment she wakes up she can sway you with pretty words, maybe the promise to let you fuck her, to get what she wants. Perhaps she would do that woman’s job and kill you when you sleep,” Glenn snapped. 

Dimitri scoffed at that. “Enough, she could be of use to us. Would you really have me destroy the chance to keep her most valuable asset? I will get you what you are owed, but Byleth stays at my side for now.”

The ghosts huffed but left him alone for a moment. When he got to his room he put her sword down on the dresser and took her dagger out for good measure. She hadn’t moved or protested, not a single sound. He took her dagger and drew a short line in her arm and watched as the cut healed itself almost instantly. There was still no change in her. She had always been alert from what he had seen of her.

He put the dagger down and brought her to the bathroom. He thought briefly if he should grab someone else to do it, but Mercedes was loyal to Rhea, and Ingrid had been spending so much time with Seteth that he couldn’t trust them not to go straight to the church members. Annette he could trust to run her mouth without thinking about it first. She wouldn’t mean to, but the damage would be done. Dedue was loyal to him, but the thought of another man’s hands on her made his skin crawl. 

Glenn had been right. Even when he was supposed to be focused on his revenge in the academy, she had intruded on his thoughts. He had been drawn to her even back then. When she had invited him to tea with a gift on his birthday she had truly stolen any resistance he had to her. The conversation was engaging, her praise sending him over the moon, and her gifts showed how much she paid attention. What had caught him the most off guard was her answer when he asked why she didn’t choose the blue lions.

“I felt I shouldn’t choose to be the professor of someone that I was attracted….” She had slammed her hand over her mouth and stared at him with wide eyes. “Forgive me… forget I said anything… I need to go.” 

She had tried to leave but he had caught her hand. His mouth was dry as he tried to formulate a response. She had pried his hand off with an apology and left. After that, she avoided him whenever she could. She was generally surrounded by the other black eagle students after that. The few times he had caught her alone he noticed the blush that would cover her face behind that stoic expression.

If she still had any of those feelings he might not have to kill her. The water was warm under his hand. He gave her one last chance to rouse and would leave her here to clean herself. He tried shaking her awake, a yell close enough to her ear, and even a pinch to her flesh. There was still no change. He pressed his fingers to her neck and found a steady pulse. What was wrong with her? He had never seen anything like it. Even when someone was given a drug to sleep they never slept this soundly.

He started to strip her down, discarding the dirty clothing and armor aside. He’d have to worry about replacements for her later, but for the moment all he could do was stare at the sight before him. Even covered with dirt she was still beautiful. He took off his shirt so it wouldn’t get wet and threw it aside. He picked her up again and this time her breasts fell against his chest. It took him a moment to learn to breathe again.

He had to focus, he was not Sylvain. He couldn’t leave her covered in muck and this was the only way. Something cold hit him and he had to look down. He had missed something, there was a small chain that had been hidden under the cloth choker. He moved her hair aside and saw a ring that was getting caught in her hair. It must be the one Jeralt gave her. He remembered Dorothea telling Ingrid about it over lunch and describing that it looked like a flower. He took the chain in his hand and yanked, he would only break the clasp if he tried taking it off anyway. 

Holding the ring in his hand he had an idea. If she woke up with no memories and he started to interrogate her like an enemy then she would react defensively towards him. If he acted like she was an ally, no someone that loved him, perhaps he could turn her against Edelgard. If she were bound to him like he was to the dead then she wouldn’t leave again and he would finally have his revenge. Edelgard had desecrated the tomb and the dead required blood for being disturbed. Those that she worked with, the Argathans, Rhea called them were the ones behind Duscur. Edelgard had thrown her lot in with them. He would have to see why Byleth chose the path she did, if she would be able to remember.

He placed her in the water and again no change. It was miraculous in a way. He could do anything he wanted to her and there would be nothing to stop him. He started scrubbing away the dirt that covered her. The more he touched the greater the desire tore through him. He would keep her for himself, one way or the other. He drained the bath and ran more water to rinse any excess off. There were small patches of red where he had scrubbed too hard, but he was at least glad his strength hadn’t done worse to her.

He scooped her back up and into a towel to dry her off before laying her on his bed. He pet back a strand of hair and kissed her. 

He ran his fingers along her jaw. “You will be mine Byleth. If this has proved one thing to me, it’s that I can’t let anyone else have you.”

He went back to fetch his shirt and placed all of her clothing into the blanket. He’d have Dedue clean them later. He grabbed the ring off the counter where he left it. It was a woman’s ring, barely big enough to fit his pinky finger. There were some jewelers that he could use. He brought the blanket to the door and like clockwork Dedue knocked on his door to let him know his evening meal was ready. He grabbed his cloak and covered Byleth from the neck down. The sight of her with his colors struck another surge of possessiveness.        

 Dimitri opened the door and Dedue bowed to him. 

Dimitri held up his hand before Dedue could speak. “You keep telling me how loyal you are to me. Are you ready to prove that?”

Dedue blinked a few times. “You know you only need to give the order, Your Majesty.”

Dimitri stepped back and let Dedue into the room. He came in but then he caught sight of her and stopped in his tracks. Dimitri shut the door behind him. 

“They brought her to me today. I got her clean, but we’ll need replacement clothes for her. Her dirty ones are there by the door. Even her boots were waterlogged. I don’t want anyone else to know that she’s here, especially Rhea. She’s mentioned how many times she wanted to tear Byleth apart and I can’t have that,” Dimitri explained.

Dedue nodded. “Will she pose a threat when she wakes?”

Dimitri shook his head. “If she does then we’ll kill her, but I’d rather find more persuasive options and keep her at my side. I want to start with this. Get it tailored to my size and find me a band that will fit her hand.”

Dimitri handed her ring to Dedue. 

Dedue nodded in understanding. “Would you like me to watch her or bring your meal for you?” 

“I can’t have Rhea suspecting anything so I will go. I know I can trust you with her. If she wakes, tell her that I will be back to talk to her. Do not treat her as a prisoner of war,” Dimitri said.

Dedue nodded and Dimitri left. He would need to think up an excuse for later nights. He knew Dedue wouldn’t do anything to her, but he was surprised as to how agitated he felt just leaving the room. He hadn’t realized how relaxed he had been around her. He needed to do some reconnaissance and make sure that no one suspected what was brought to him today. He would make sure to have Dedue keep an ear out for rumors.

Rhea, Seteth, and Flayn were already waiting for him at the table that was set for four. The meal was almost ready to be brought out and he had to put up his walls that had kept them at arm's length. He may have been required to keep them here, but that didn’t mean that he fully trusted them. Rhea’s purpose for him was to be a weapon and while he didn’t mind the role, he wondered what was the reason behind that rage. She had taken Byleth’s betrayal personally and she was the largest threat to his plan right now.

“I heard that a scouting party came back from the monastery today. The captain said it was a part of a demonic beast that he hadn’t seen before. I’m surprised they bothered you with it to you.”

Of course, Rhea would start with that. 

“I had Dedue take care of it. It was no concern of mine,” he replied. 

Rhea took a sip of her wine. “I see, should they be punished for wasting your time?”

Dimitri shook his head. “They are doing their jobs. It’s not their fault that we differ as to what we deem interesting. I’d rather they bother me with something trivial then find out they hid something later.”

Rhea mused a moment on that. “The Millenium Festival is coming up. I’d like to hold a ceremony here in Fhirdiad.”

“I wish I could give you the monastery to do it in instead,” Dimitri said offhandedly as the food was delivered. 

“What would be better is Byleth’s head on this table. She was nothing but a failed project,” Rhea hissed.

“Rhea, we talked about this. Do you want to do that to your own kin? There is still hope for her,” Seteth said. 

Rhea slammed her fist onto the table. “She chose that sinner. When we find her if she does not atone I will be tearing her heart out myself and trying again.” 

Flayn cut into her food. “Edelgard was her student. When I was in the class with them I didn’t suspect a thing either. She was probably just confused and wanted to find out why everything was happening. You didn’t give her much choice…” 

“There is always a choice!” Rhea roared. “When she came back she could have run from Edelgard and joined us then, but she didn’t!” 

“If she is found and wants to join our side, what then? She’s been gone for five years. That’s a long time to hide,” Dimitri asked.

Rhea sat back in her seat. “If she joins that sinner again her life is forfeit. If by some miracle she would choose her family… I’m sorry for bringing up such a distasteful subject. Let us eat and give praise to the goddess that Fhirdiad stays strong.” 

Dimitri nodded and finished the food in front of him before excusing himself. There would be another benefit if this farce would work. Rhea had said to return to their family. Rhea had extended her hand and invited him into her circle as a reward for doing the ‘right thing’ and accepting the oath he was bound to in protecting the church. He could protect Byleth by taking her as his queen. Rhea would not be able to touch her. When he got back to his room Dedue was sitting on the floor near the bathroom. He had one of her boots in his hand and a scrub brush in the other. 

“I am almost done cleaning up her things. I’ll be out of your way shortly,” Dedue replied.

“Make sure you talk to the captain that brought her today. Rhea mentioned that his story was that it was part of a demonic beast that was his delivery today. I told her that you were the one to take care of it, but we need to make sure that is what they are saying,” Dimitri said.

Dedue nodded. “I can confirm that. I almost sent him away earlier when he gave me the story. He was adamant that he needed to see you and what was brought and only you. Seteth was coming near so I decided to let them through and deter Seteth from getting any closer.”  

Dimitri turned his attention to her. She hadn’t moved at all from what he could tell, the cloak was still settled over her as he had left it. He turned his attention to the sword and her dagger, looking for a hiding place until he could determine if his plan would work or not. When they were securely hidden away he took off his boots.

Dedue stood and told Dimitri that he’d be back with clothes for her shortly before he left. Dimitri noticed that her clothes were hanging where the towels were usually kept and the room cleaned. Dimitri went back to Byleth and stroked her cheek with the back of his hand. It wasn’t going to be that hard to fall into his role. He hoped that she would cooperate and fulfill hers without much of a fuss.

------------------------------------------------------------------

It had been two days and there was still no change in her. The Millennium Festival was today. Dedue had done as he asked and procured a ring for her and resized hers to fit him. He had sat awake thinking of what lies he could use, some fell flat while others seemed plausible. The ghosts didn’t mean to help him but through their snarling, he was able to remember a few things to use against her. He couldn’t think of another option that wouldn’t lead to someone trying to kill her, and he couldn’t risk her going back to Edelgard.

He hadn’t touched her again other than small caresses. He knew he could do anything he wanted and she would never know, but he wouldn’t do something like that when she was in such a helpless state. He wanted to know her touch, hear her call out his name. It would be worthless otherwise. 

She would not forgive him if she found out if he did succumb to those desires. Although he doubted that she would forgive him for what he was planning. It might be to keep her safe, but he would still be lying to her and keeping her his captive. He would make sure that there would be no snags to earn her hatred in the beginning. It would make everything else go that much smoother.  

The ghosts were his constant companions, snapping and snarling in disdain that he was wasting his time here instead of out on the battlefield, making his way to where that woman had made her nest on sacred grounds. 

As the festival drew near Rhea was getting more erratic when alone. Dimitri had no doubt that if Rhea entered the room at this moment she would keep her promise to tear Byleth’s heart out. His hand traced a little lower from her jaw to where he expected to feel a steady heartbeat. He paused, perhaps the fabric of the nightgown was keeping him from feeling it since she was in such a calm sleep. He lay his ear against her, and there was still no heartbeat he could hear. He scrambled to find her pulse and felt it strong under his fingers.

What was this? When Rhea mentioned experiments he had thought it was making a commoner into a professor. Why would Rhea want her heart if it didn’t beat? They had called her family, and the green hair had appeared after she had gained the goddess’s power. Then he remembered the tomb Rhea mentioned had held crest stones, not bones. Rhea’s words never made any sense, but he had seen the golems she had made that bore a crest stone for a heart. Was Byleth even human?

As he held her close he heard her groan, her hands wrapping around his arms. It was now or never and he had to keep her safe from Rhea. He wanted her to choose him and not go back to those vile snakes that took so much from her. She watched her father die in front of her because of them. She could have been killed because she chose to die as her role of their teacher rather than betray her oath to protect them. 

She was his now. For her sake, he would try to keep her safe and here with him until he knew she wouldn’t do harm to herself. He wouldn’t let Edelgard get her fangs into her again. They had tainted her long enough.  

He pet some of the hair from her face “Are you finally awake, Beloved?”

Her eyes fluttered open and seemed unable to focus, but when they did she jumped. She scrambled away from him and pressed herself against the headboard. He made no attempt to follow. 

“Who are you?” She hissed.

He leaned towards her. “Don’t you recognize me? It’s me, Dimitri. You’ve been sleeping for a while. You had me worried,”

She looked confused, her gaze searching as she crept closer. “How can you be Dimitri? The last time I saw you was at the academy, you were eighteen and… you don’t look… but I know that eye color, how is this possible?”

“What is the last thing you remember?” Dimitri asked.

She pulled back and thought for a moment. “The holy tomb, I had protected Edelgard because Rhea would have killed her on the spot. I left with them and we agreed that the church was wrong, they had done so many bad things in the name of divine punishment so I went to fight at her side. The dragon attacked me and that’s it. I remember the ground giving away at my feet and then nothing.”

“That was five years ago Byleth,” he replied.

She looked up and he had never seen an expression on her like that before. “Then why am I here?”

He paused. “After Edelgard abandoned you we found you and brought you here. I kept you safe from Rhea and took care of you while you were healing... you were fighting at my side to deflect some of Edelgard’s forces and you received a nasty blow to the back of your head. You’ve been asleep for days now. I am sorry I was too focused on fighting. I could have lost you if I had reacted any slower.” 

Byleth shook her head. “I’m sorry this is a lot to process.”

Dimitri nodded. “I understand. Would you like me to get Dedue to bring you some food? I imagine that you’re hungry.” 

“I’d appreciate that,” she replied. 

Dimitri left the bed and went to the door to speak to Dedue. Byleth watched him go, surprised at how tall he had gotten. She shook her head at the headache that was forming. Why was she in such a large bed and not in an infirmary if she had been hurt? She didn’t recognize the scenery outside the window. Wherever this was, it was not Garrag Mach. Then there was that wording when she first woke up. Why would he address her like that? Yes, she had found him attractive during their academy days, but she had made sure that there wasn’t an opportunity to break any rules.  

The bed was large, covered with blue sheets and furs. The nightgown she was wearing was also blue in color. Then she felt something on her hand as she moved. The green stones glittered in the light as she felt her mouth go dry. How was this possible? When Dimitri returned she saw the ring Jeralt gave her on his hand. If she had a heartbeat it would be thundering right now. His name slipped from her lips and he came to sit beside her.

He seemed a little nervous to her, but then again he had always been anxious that she remembered. “I need to apologize to you. While you were out I had to clean and dress you. I know it’s alot to forgive since you don’t remember us…”

He ran his hands through his hair. 

All she could do was stare at him a moment. “You bathed me?”

He nodded. “I didn’t want anyone else to touch you. We’ve had to keep you a secret with Rhea so close…”

“Where am I right now?” Byleth asked.

“Fhirdiad, this is the royal suite,” he said

Byleth got up to pace. “Where is Edelgard?”

Dimitri felt the anger coiling as the ghosts hissed and recoiled at the name. “Last I heard she leads her war from the monastery. Do you realize how many she’s killed since that battle? Her war has blazed throughout Fodlan. She’s working with the same people that killed Jeralt.”

That stopped her midstride. “What? Yes, she is the flame emperor, but she didn’t make the call to have him killed. They weren’t taking her orders.”

Dimitri stood and made his way to her. “Does it matter? She let them run rampant! They killed Jeralt, they caused the destruction in Remire, and they are behind Duscur! Can you really stand by the side of someone who would ally themselves with such a group? Her actions alone have caused so much pain and destruction!”

Byleth looked up at him. The rage behind his tone sent chills up her spine. 

He looked away. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t raise my voice at you.”

The knock on the door paused the conversation. Dimitri had already told him the plan of keeping her safe in here until he could figure out a way to let her out without it ending in her death. Dimitri opened it when Dedue announced that he had the food he requested. Dedue placed it on the small table next to the desk in the corner. When he lifted the lid there was an assortment of food for her.  

Dedue bowed to her. “It is good to see you up and moving again Your Majesty. Is there anything you’d like to request of me before I take my leave, some tea perhaps?” 

Dimitri could see the confusion in her eyes before she stepped over to the table. She was looking at the ring again, twisting and playing with it with her fingers. She left it alone as she observed the food in front of her and took in the smells.

She picked up a piece of warm bread. “Dedue, I apologize. I cannot remember a thing after the monastery battle, but it seems I need to thank you for your care. How long have I been here?”

“Quite a while. We had to keep you a secret, so apologizes for that. Dimitri will be taking care of you as he always has, and I can fetch you whatever you require,” Dedue replied.

Dimitri would have to take note of what Dedue was doing, edging on the truth without it being a full lie. Deceit was never something he had practiced. Claude was the one with the lies, he would rush in and cut down whatever annoyed him. Brutally honest would probably be what most people described him as being. 

“I know you probably want to spend some time with her now that she has woken up, but your presence is required for the festival,” Dedue said. 

Dimitri cursed. They would send for him if he didn’t show up willingly. If it wasn’t for the fact that he was honor bound to protect them he would have thrown Rhea and her kin out by now. He also couldn’t have the knights fighting against him either. He came over to where she now sat at the table. He stroked her cheek and was caught in those eyes and how she stared back at him.

He should continue with the honeyed words and calm demeanor, but she looked so enticing. She was bound to him, and he would make sure she had no reason to want to leave. He took her chin in his hand and leaned down to kiss her. She didn’t pull away, but she seemed confused. It felt different when she was aware of it and he found he wouldn’t mind doing it again. He stroked her lips with his thumb. 

“Do not leave this room,” he commanded before heading out the door. 

When he left Byleth continued to eat. Dedue, she assumed was outside the door. She looked down at the ring again. Her blood thrummed through her ears. Just what type of relationship did they have?

 

-------------------------------------------

 

When Dimitri entered the room later that day he radiated fury. His armor was stained with blood. He started unclipping his armor and throwing it aside until he saw her. She was sitting at the table with some sort of marble game in front of her. He locked eyes with her a moment before looking away and continuing his task. He was in no mood to deal with anyone pestering him. She was cautious in getting up and rightfully so, but it didn’t register in his head that he needed to calm down. He had rescued who he could, but there was no call for such blatant disregard of life.

When he felt her hand on him he flinched.

She hesitantly reached out and started to unclasp his chest armor. “Are you hurt?”

“None of the blood is mine,” he answered.

“What happened?” Her voice was soft.

He clenched his fists. “The people were coming from the outskirts to join the festival. Edelgard had sent her men to ambush. There weren’t any warriors among them. They were parents and children and those dogs killed any they could get their hands on. I made sure every last one of those bastards would rot in the eternal flames.”

“Why would she…”

He turned around with a snarl. “Why would she attack a monastery full of people that couldn’t defend themselves? All of the orphans, servants, and clergy who would not raise a hand to anyone! Tell me Byleth what was her reasoning for hating the church when they protect the weak who don’t wish to fight! You haven’t seen the atrocities Edelgard has committed in the past five years! You don’t know the amount of innocent people she has turned into crest beasts! If you think she isn’t capable of the sins she has committed then you didn’t know her!”

Byleth flinched, but he wasn’t about to apologize for the truth. He would drown her in it if he must. There were too many evils to name and he could use any of them to tear down any semblance of loyalty for that woman.

While Byleth did agree with Edelgard that Rhea needed to pay for her own crimes, it didn’t excuse what Edelgard had been doing. The attack that Dimitri described today made her stomach turn. The blood on his hands was justified. She would have gutted them herself if she could. If she had to choose a side right now she’d rather choose a path towards peace. Rhea was still a problem, even here, but Dimitri had protected her from Rhea. She would just have to trust that he had a plan to deal with her.

Byleth reached for him again. “One of the first things Hubert told me was that if I posed a threat to Edelgard he would find a way to dispose of me. I had given him extra work for threatening a professor, but I could believe he would do it if she asked him. With Edelgard… I know she blames the church for what happened to her family. It is the church that puts such a high value on crests. She had said that she would do whatever it took to achieve her goals. I took an oath as thier professor to lead them down the right path and protect them, but it seems I failed in even that.”

“I doubt it was your guidance that forged her path,” he said. 

He had seen it for himself the compassion that she had. Ashe had asked to accompany them when they faced Lenato. He had come to see if he could help in some way and had found her wrapped around him to try to comfort him. Someone without emotion wouldn’t do that. 

What she had said though confirmed one thought he had about her. If she considered what Edelgard was doing as a failure on her part then that meant she didn’t approve. It had been him that had gotten her out of her stupor after Jeralt. Edelgard hadn’t even tried to comfort her. Move on she had said. She only wanted to forget the stains on her own hands. There were times when you have to grieve so you are able to do just that. Everyone dealt with pain differently. 

He had tried to be gentle to Byleth then too, and share what he had been through. The fact that he had felt at ease with her enough to talk to her about it only endeared him to her more. It wasn’t a scar he showed often. 

The day she came back to teach her classes it was the blue lion’s table she had asked to sit at, right where she should have been all along. Dorothea had come to sit as well and chat with Ingrid, but the lack of unity in the black eagle household had always annoyed him. She had deserved better.  

“You mentioned that something happened to her family?” Dimitri prompted. 

She tilted her head. “I guess I was keeping my oath if I didn’t mention it to you before this.”

He snorted. “When it comes to a conversation about her you see how I react. She is not a subject I approach often.”

“When she was still a child she was forced to endure experiments to try to turn her minor crest into a major one. She was given the crest of flames instead. Her family, most of them died or became unfit for rule.”

“That’s what she told you?” Dimitri asked.

Byleth nodded. That would possibly explain why her hair had changed. It still didn’t excuse her behavior. She should only be going after the guilty party, not dragging innocents along with her quest for vengeance. 

He took off his shirt and left her there to bathe, scattering more armor on his path there. He heard her gathering it up. He was surprised to see her behind him. He let her pass him and she set his armor on the counter before starting to clean it. She always had been one for armor and weapon maintenance, drilled it into her student’s heads after every battle. 

Anytime that it was his house’s turn to maintain the storage it she had joined them as long as he wasn’t doing it alone.  He had thought perhaps it was something he had done, but when he found out that she had been attracted to him all of that clicked into place. It was almost as if she didn’t trust herself around him and it hadn’t escaped his notice. There were always small things like that, excuses she would make if it was just the two of them. 

He turned on the water and sat to watch her as the bath filled. Her movements were practiced as if she hadn’t been asleep for five years. She hadn’t changed out of the nightgown, probably not knowing where the clothes he acquired for her were kept. He’d have to remedy that. She met his eyes through the mirror and he saw the shiver she tried to hide. 

He came up to her. “Something wrong?”

She ducked her head and took another piece of armor in her hands. “You’ve grown so much from what I remember.”

He took a piece of her hair in his fingers. “I've never tired of your praise. Never got tired of how much you wanted my touch. You don’t know how much I regret that I can’t just take you now. I will have you submit to me willingly and you will be by my side now and always.”

He noticed how her breathing hitched. He tugged her hair lightly, delighting in the sound she made. He pressed himself close and kissed her neck. He felt like his body was on fire and he wished he could taste her. He met her eyes through the mirror before letting her go and turning off the water. He had enjoyed the expression on her face after he had done that. She had always been so stoic before.

He could feel that he had already gotten hard for her. No other woman had ever appealed to him this way, but then again she had been the only woman that had invaded his thoughts. Rhea had passed a few advances on him, telling him that she would serve him well. He had nipped that in the bud before anything began. He knew the power that would be given to her if he accepted and she was already invading his den. 

A few nobles had tried passing their daughters to him as concubines and he had refused that too. With the war and fulfilling the demands of the dead he didn’t want to waste his time seeking pleasure, but she had still invaded his mind some nights over the years. If he would survive after his debts were paid she was the only thing he wanted for himself.

He had to remember why he was here right now. He still had blood coating his face and hair. It was a part of war, but it wasn’t how he wanted to present himself to her. She had gone back to scrubbing the blood off of his armor. He started to work on the ties of his pants and heard her stop a moment. He knew if he looked up he'd probably meet her eyes in the mirror. The thought thrilled him and he wondered what was going through her mind. 

He pulled down his pants and smallclothes and took a look up to find her blushing face staring at him in the mirror before she quickly went back to her work. The teen he used to be would have been ashamed that she had seen him like this, but right now he could only relish how her eyes were drawn to him. He wanted to touch her again, let her feel what she did to him, but he would need to be careful. He didn’t want her uncomfortable around him. He got into the large tub as she put down another piece of armor. 

 

-------------

 

Byleth wasn’t sure why she had followed him. Even at the promise of something to do she shouldn’t have come in here when he had the intent to bathe. When he had pressed up against her she could practically feel his desire like a hot brand that made her flush with heat. Even the blood on his face couldn’t detract from the searing intensity behind those blue eyes. When he released her and stepped away she hadn’t realized how her breathing had become labored. 

When he took off his pants she felt all the desire pool at her core. She had had lovers before, but no one that she cared for. It had always been alot of work, most of them put off by her lack of expression. He was handsome and well endowed, the scars that marked him showing that he didn’t always have an easy life. It was easy to see if attraction had been her reasoning for choosing him. It was hard to see him as the teen she knew when he looked like this.

She put down the armor and turned around. “May I ask you something?”

He paused in his scrubbing. “Anything Beloved.”

Oh, she could definitely get used to the way he said that. “When we were intimate did I ever disappoint you?”

He gave her a confused look. “Why would that cross your mind?”

“The lovers I’ve taken in the past, there haven’t been that many because my lack of expression put them off. The way you looked at me a moment ago, the way you said that. It’s something I haven’t experienced before, at least not by my memory.”

He was not happy with the news that someone else had touched her, but at least he wouldn’t have to explain why she was still a virgin later when she did submit. At least she didn’t seem pleased with her past encounters, he hoped he could give her a better experience. If she thought that no one else could make her happy in that area then he could use that to his advantage.

“Then they were fools. You’re the only woman I’ve wanted Byleth. Nothing about you has been disappointing other than your choice to support Edelgard, but you’re at my side now so that can be forgiven,” he said.

She sighed in what seemed like relief. Then she came over and started running her fingers through his hair. He looked up at her. 

She wiped some of the blood away from his temple. “Only fair don’t you think?”

He relinquished the washcloth to her. It might have been necessary, but she was correct in that since he had done that for her it was only fair to let her. He was also curious of what it would feel like. Her touch was gentle, far gentler than he had probably handled her. It was an odd sensation, but it did relax him quite a bit. If this was a preview of what was to come then he would look forward to it.

 

-------------------

 

Byleth wasn’t sure where her courage came from when she had asked to do this. He didn’t seem to blame her for her lapse in memory, but he had always been courteous in his academy days. There were so many days that she had wished she had chosen the blue lions instead, but she had made her choice because of him. 

That day at Remire he had been the only one capable of fighting at her side. Sothis had even liked him as well. There had been a part of her that had wished it was him and not Hubert that showed up at the Goddess Tower after the ball. She imagined the conversation would be much different. 

The budding adoration she had for him would have gotten her into trouble if she had been his professor. She was around the same age as he was and she kept finding herself caught within those blue depths. It was easy to believe that he would rescue her and keep her safe like he had claimed. That it would be easy to fall in love with him, especially when he called her such a sweet name and looked at her like she was the most precious thing in his world. 

Her loyalty to the eagles, if they had truly abandoned her… she shouldn’t be so surprised. Edelgard had even told her to just move on when her father was killed. Compassion had never been her strong suit, but Byleth didn’t realize how badly those words affected her until Dimitri had come to check on her. He had opened up to her and she never wanted to hug another person more in any moment in her life, but she didn’t dare.

If she wasn’t deemed useful or proved herself a threat to Edelgard then she would be discarded, how many times had Hubert threatened her with that? How many times had she decided to spend time with the other house members because she felt that as a commoner they didn’t see her as part of the group? 

Edelgard had always kept her at arm’s length, but she had been proud to stand beside her when she took the title of emperor. Hubert was always at Edelgard’s side, always evaluating, but he did pay attention in class. Dorothea had been the main eagle she would call a friend. Linhardt, when he wasn’t napping, was excellent company. Caspar was always full of energy, but that was part of his charm. Bernedetta she had been proud of when she hadn’t been hiding from them as often. Ferdinand, as much of an annoyance he could be, was a wonderful student and would always make himself useful when he could. Dorothea called him her bee. Byleth never understood what that meant, but she had protected them. She would have given up her life for any of her eagles.

She heard the water move rapidly as he turned and didn’t understand why his hands were on her face. The amount of concern he showed was alarming. She hadn’t realized she was crying until he swept them away with his thumbs. 

She blinked the ones that were welled up away. “I’m sorry. I was just getting caught in memories.You probably had to deal with this once before, but the fact that they would just abandon me like that is heartbreaking. If the roles were reversed I would have searched.”

He seemed to relax at that. “I never gave up searching for you. I won’t abandon you.”

Her eyes searched his face before her lips crashed against his. It took him by surprise. All he did was tell her the truth. He hadn’t expected to find her and have this opportunity given to him like this. He had been stressing about how hard a task this might be. The possibility of having to resort to barbaric measures to keep her or give her up to Rhea for judgment had crossed his mind while she had been asleep. This he could work with and he was going to enjoy every moment of it. 

She felt divine and he wasn’t expecting the intensity of it. Even his dreams over the years hadn’t prepared him for this, nor for the maddening burn that would overtake him. For the first time in a long time the ghosts were silent. It was just the feeling of her against him. If there had been any guilt or doubt in his mind it fled like his other senses. There would be no way he would be able to let her go now. She had fed the beast that craved her. With her lips she had sealed her fate by his side.   

Notes:

Fire Emblem and its characters do not belong to me, they just decided to live inside my head.

Comments and kudos are welcome, feedback is appreciated, but please be kind both to me and other commenters you reply to.

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read and I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Forgive any typos myself or my betas may have missed.