About 2017 My Slashy Valentine (2017_MSV)
Welcome to Slashy Santa, the longest-running Tolkien slash fiction story exchange on the web! We are always seeking new participants for our exchanges, which usually occur twice a year.
We strive to make our exchange fun and friendly for all our participants, and you can help by familiarizing yourself with the rules and the FAQ. If you've read both and want to join us, sign up here!
Q: I've never signed up for a fic exchange before, and I'm a little nervous. What can I expect? And how can I be a good participant?
A: Welcome aboard! It's always great to have new writers! This Guide to Participating in Fic Exchanges will give you an excellent idea of what to expect-- and what will be expected of you.
Q: I signed up for Slashy Santa last year, but I got really busy because of exams and friends visiting from out of town and deciding to go on vacation to the Bahamas, so I didn't turn in a story until January. I can still do Ardor in August, right?
A: Wrong. If you have defaulted on any of our previous exchanges, or turned in a story after the due date without prior clearance from the moderators, you are excluded from participating. Fiction exchanges can only be successful when the participants make good on their committments.
Q: When you say "Slash exchange," does that count Femslash, too?
A: Absolutely. Originally, we did not include Femslash because we couldn't find enough participants to support it, but we are always trying to keep pace with the changing interests of the fandom, and as interest in F/F stories has grown, we have opened our exchange to include female pairings.
Q: I just received my assignment and it fits perfectly into part of a series I've been working on. Can I use it anyway?
A: We'd prefer your story to be original and created solely for your recipient, but so long as your submission fits the assignment you received, can be read and understood as a standalone, and it's new and unreleased, then go ahead.
Q: Yikes! I've been working on my story, but there was a family emergency and I don't think I'll make the deadline. What should I do?
A: Let us know! We at Slashy Santa Industries have families too and understand that emergencies sometimes happen. The sooner you tell us, the easier it will be for us to come to a mutually agreeable solution.
Q: Unfortunately, the emergency has turned into something longer term and I won't be able to finish my story after all.
A: Again, please let us know as soon as possible so we can find a replacement to finish your assignment.
Q: Do I need to have my work beta read? I don't have one!
A: While we will not strictly enforce the use of a beta, we strongly encourage it. At the very least, please proof read and run spell- and grammar-check. If you need help finding a beta, let us know and we'll direct you to some beta resources. Remember, you're writing a gift for someone, so make your story as perfect as it can be.
Q: HELP! I received the worst assignment in the world! What were you thinking? I can't write this!
A: It's likely it was an oversight. Please contact us and we will do what we can to find another assignment that is more to your taste and ability. If you already confirmed you would accept it, we can't make promises, but we'll do the best we can to help.
NOTE: In some rare instances, it may not be possible for a request to be filled to the requestor's exact specifications. This may occur if no author is willing to write the elements in the request (some examples are BDSM, fetish, rape, or character death). In this case, the participant will be asked to revise their request slightly so that we'll be able to match it.
- This exchange focuses on Men, Elves, The Valar and/or Maiar (Wizards). We will *TRY* to accomodate requests for pairings that include Dwarves, Hobbits, or other Middle-earth races, but we may not always be able to accomodate them. If you wish to request a pairing involving Dwarves, Hobbits, Orcs, or any other denizens of Middle-earth, please consider having a backup request. We hate to turn anyone away, but sometimes we just don't have a broad enough field of writers to accommodate everyones' tastes.
- All stories must be a minimum length of 1,200 words, which translates to roughly 3 full pages in Word. Stories must be complete and in their entirety.
- Submissions must be new and previously unreleased, and written specifically for the assignment you receive.
- If you have defaulted on previous Slashy Santa or Ardor in August/Mistletoe in May/Jinglebells in June fiction exchanges, you will NOT be permitted to participate in future exchanges. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this rule. This may be a disappointment to some of you, but it is far more disappointing for a hard-working participant who strove to meet the deadline to discover they did not receive a story because their writer dropped out or did not turn in a story until after the deadline.
- Stories shall not be released to the general fandom on any group, list, or website until after they are released on this site. After the publication date on this site, feel free to post or archive your work anywhere you would like.
- We *WILL* name names! If you default, your name will be put on a defaulter's list on the Slashy Santa website and you will be banned from future exchanges. This is at the moderator's discretion. Obviously, emergencies arise, life happens, and extenuating circumstances will be dealt with as such: our intent is not to be cruel, but to remind participants that their commitment needs to be honored.
- Manners are mandatory!! Just as you are required to turn in a finished, beta'd story, you are required to acknowledge the person who wrote for you in a timely fashion. If you cannot gracefully thank the author who wrote for you, you may be asked to sit out the next round and contemplate the meaning of the word "Courtesy."
PROHIBITIONS & RESTRICTIONS
- No fiction involving a minor in a sexual situation, even in flashback, no matter how vaguely alluded to, will be permitted. Period.
- No songfics.
- No het pairings as anything other than secondary characters or plots.
- No bestiality. (Tolkien characters that manifest as cognizant beings such as centaurs, unicorns, wolves, faeries, etc. are therefore acceptable. If in doubt, ask us.)
- No RPS (real person slash) will be accepted.
- No Mary Sue, Marty Stu, or self-inserts.