Blueberry Meringue Cupcakes
For the meringues:
- 2 eggwhites
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 120g sugar
- purple food colouring (or blue and red to mix)
For the cupcakes:
- 60g softened butter
- 10g sugar
- vanilla extract or 1 pckg vanilla sugar
- 1 egg
- 150g all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 60ml milk
- 60g frozen blueberries
For the buttercream:
- 30g softened butter
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp cream or creme fraiche
- vanilla extract
- Prepare the meringues twenty-four hours in advance. They will need to dry out completely.
- Beat the egg whites with the lemon juice and a pinch of sugar (best use an electric mixer). Once the whites start foaming, gradually add the sugar until you get a firm, shiny mixture that forms peaks. Now add a few drops of food colouring until you achieve the desired intensity. I wanted mine a bit lighter in colour.
- Using a piping bag with a nice tip to pipe six meringues the size of a cupcake case onto an oven tray with a baking sheet. I drew circles the size of a case on the sheet with a pencil because I don’t trust my ability to gauge the diameter correctly.
- At a 100°C, put the meringues in the oven for about a 100 minutes. Afterwards, turn off the oven and let the meringues cool down completely. I can’t stress this enough. Wait. I took mine out too early because I needed the oven, which is why they cracked a bit.
- The next day, preheat the oven to a 180°C. Beat the soft butter, the sugar and the vanilla extract or vanilla sugar until well-mixed. First, add the egg, then alternate adding the mixture of flour and baking powder and the milk; mixing the dough after each addition. Now add the frozen blueberries. Line a muffin tray with six paper cases and fill them about two-thirds with the mixture. Bake in the oven for twenty to twenty-five minutes and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Now prepare the buttercream: thoroughly beat the soft butter and gradually add icing sugar until the mixture becomes white and firm. Add the cream and vanilla extract and mix well.
- With a spatula, cover each cupcake with a thin layer of buttercream and set a meringue on top.