In this post:
- A bit of background explanation
- What this means for creators who have work on Hammer to Fall or Bang and Blame
- And what to do if you still have questions
Founded by Oracne in 1998, Hammer to Fall was among the first multi-author Blake’s 7 fanfiction archives, and was also the largest for some time. Its sister site, Bang and Blame, was founded in 2000, also by Oracne, and focused on post-series fanfiction and meta. Both sites have been offline since 2010, but after the successful import of the Hermit Library, Oracne decided to resurrect the archives to keep the works available for readers and scholars.
Open Doors will be working with Oracne to import Hammer to Fall and Bang and Blame into two separate, searchable collections on the Archive of Our Own. As part of preserving the archive in its entirety, all works currently at Hammer to Fall and Bang and Blame will be hosted on the OTW's servers, and embedded in their own AO3 work pages.
We will begin importing works from Hammer to Fall and Bang and Blame to the AO3 after June.
We will send an import notification to the email address we have for each creator. We'll do our best to check for an existing copy of any works before importing. If we find a copy already on the AO3, we will invite it to the collection instead of importing it. All works archived on behalf of a creator will include their name in the byline or the summary of the work.
All imported works will be set to be viewable only by logged-in AO3 users. Once you claim your works, you can make them publicly-viewable if you choose. After 30 days, all unclaimed imported works will be made visible to all visitors.
Please contact Open Doors with your Hammer to Fall or Bang and Blame pseud(s) and email address(es), if:
- You'd like us to import your works, but you need the notification sent to a different email address than you used on the original archive
- You already have an AO3 account and have imported your works already yourself.
- You’d like to import your works yourself (including if you don’t have an AO3 account yet).
- You would NOT like your works moved to the AO3.
- You are happy for us to preserve your works on the AO3, but would like us to remove your name.
- you have any other questions we can help you with.
Please include the name of the archive in the subject heading of your email. If you no longer have access to the email account associated with your Hammer to Fall or Bang and Blame account, please contact Open Doors and we'll help you out. (If you've posted the works elsewhere, or have an easy way to verify that they're yours, that's great; if not, we will work with the mod to confirm your claims.)
Please see the Open Doors Website for instructions on:
- importing your works to the AO3
- adding your works to the new Hammer to Fall or Bang and Blame collections
We'd also love it if fans could help us preserve the stories of Hammer to Fall and Bang and Blame on Fanlore. If you're new to wiki editing, no worries! Check out the new visitor portal, or ask the Fanlore Gardeners for tips.
We're excited to be able to help preserve Hammer to Fall and Bang and Blame!
- The Open Doors team and Oracne