In this post:
- A bit of background explanation
- What this means for creators who had work on Daire's Fanfic Refuge or HL Raven's Nest
- And what to do if you still have questions
Daire's Fanfic Refuge and HL Raven's Nest were Highlander fanfic archives that were started in 1997 and 1998 respectively. Their moderator, Daire, decided to move their stories to a more long-term home: AO3!
Open Doors will be working with Daire to import Daire's Fanfic Refuge and HL Raven's Nest into separate, searchable collections on the Archive of Our Own. Eventually the links going to the old site will redirect to the collection on AO3 so the works can continue to be found with their old URLs.
We will begin importing works from Daire's Fanfic Refuge and HL Raven's Nest to the AO3 after May 2017.
We will send an import notification to the e-mail address we have for each creator. We'll do our best to check for an existing copy of any works before importing. If we find a copy already on the AO3, we will invite it to the collection instead of importing it. All works archived on behalf of a creator will include their name in the byline or the summary of the work.
All imported works will be set to be viewable only by logged-in AO3 users. Once you claim your works, you can make them publicly viewable if you choose. After 30 days, all unclaimed imported works will be made visible to all visitors. Open Doors will then set up the URL redirects, and we will permanently close down the site.
Please contact Open Doors with your Daire's Fanfic Refuge or HL Raven's Nest pseud(s) and e-mail address(es), if:
- You'd like us to import your works, but you need the notification sent to a different email address than you used on the original archives
- You already have an AO3 account and have imported your works already yourself.
- You’d like to import your works yourself (including if you don’t have an AO3 account yet).
- You would NOT like your works moved to the AO3.
- You are happy for us to preserve your works on the AO3, but would like us to remove your name.
- If you have any other questions we can help you with.
Please include the name of the archive in the subject heading of your email. If you've posted the works elsewhere, or have an easy way to verify that they're yours, that's great. If you don't, we will work with the moderator to confirm your claims.
Please see the Open Doors Website for instructions on:
- importing your works to the AO3
- adding your works to the new Daire's Fanfic Refuge or HL Raven's Nest collections
We'd also love it if fans could help us preserve the stories of Daire's Fanfic Refuge and HL Raven's Nest on Fanlore. If you're new to wiki editing, no worries! Check out the new visitor portal, or ask the Fanlore Gardeners for tips.
We're excited to be able to help preserve Daire's Fanfic Refuge and HL Raven's Nest!
- The Open Doors team and Daire