Our mission to update Rails continues with more clean up, strong parameters, and tests, but we also have a big pile of small bug fixes and enhancements, not to mention a few new tools for the volunteers who keep the Archive running.
- Coders: Ariana, CJ Record, cosette, james_, potatoesque, Sarken, Scott
- Code reviewers: Ariana, bingeling, Cesy, james_, Naomi, potatoesque, Sarken, Scott
- Testers: Alison Watson, james_, Lady Oscar, Sarken
- [AO3-4771] - We added tests for managing collection membership.
- [AO3-4797] - We improved our test coverage for the works controller, bringing it up to more than 90%.
- [AO3-4803] - We added still more tests for managing collection membership! In fact, the collection participants controller now has 100% test coverage. \o/
- [AO3-4804] - We increased test coverage of the challenge assignment controller.
- [AO3-4819] - Our skin (code) is now 93% covered.
- [AO3-4823] - We added more tests for the tags controller code.
- [AO3-4837] - We added tests for the collection profile controller.
- [AO3-4822] - The owned tag sets controller now has excellent test coverage.
- [AO3-4809] - We added some more tests for the bookmarks controller and in the process updated the success messages related to adding existing bookmarks to moderated collections.
- [AO3-4791] - Just to make sure everything goes smoothly with our Rails update, we added mass assignment protection to some files where we weren't doing mass assignment and thus didn't need to protect against it.
- [AO3-4798] - We added strong parameters to the subscriptions code.
- [AO3-4799] - And to the favorite tags code.
- [AO3-4821] - The skin code now has strong parameters.
- [AO3-4817] - We added strong parameters to the code that lets site admins block email addresses from being used for logged-out comments.
- [AO3-4524] - On our About page, the link to the Organization for Transformative Works FAQ page was broken. We've updated it to point to the right place.
- [AO3-4529] - Since we were already working on the About page, we decided we should also fix the broken link for contacting the OTW's Communications Committee.
- [AO3-4549] - There's a bug that lets users edit their works to remove the fandom tag, and while we haven't deployed the fix for that yet, we have made it so removing the fandom tag no longer prevents users from updating or accessing fandom-less works.
- [AO3-4738] - While working on improving our automated test coverage, we discovered site admins' ability to change the default site skin was broken. (This is why test coverage is so important!)
- [AO3-4846] - Shortly after deploying changes to the series navigation, we realized those changes weren't displaying on every work. So, quick like a bunny, we updated the caching code for it. (It's always caching!)
- [AO3-4848] - A whole lot of empty space was inadvertently added to the top of collection profile pages while we were fixing another issue. We've gotten rid of that extra space.
- [AO3-4849] - The error message that tells logged in users they cannot currently request invitations had an outdated link to the Open Doors contact page. The old URL forwarded to the new page, but we thought it would be good to update it anyway.
- [AO3-4827] - When importing a multi-chapter work from another site, the word count only included words from the first chapter. We've fixed it so now all the words count.
- [AO3-4644] - Comment emails were generally sent even if the comment was deleted moments after posting, but sometimes there would be so many emails queued up that the email would error. We changed the way comment emails are coded so comments' emails will always be sent, no matter how long the queue.
Enhancements and New Features
- [AO3-4357] - We added the ability for site admins to disable work downloads so it will be easier to do routine site maintenance. (But don't worry -- we'll let you know before we turn it off!)
- [AO3-4732] - The error 500 page previously said, "We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly," which was not true -- while we do log errors, we are not notified of each individual error. This message was dissuading users from contacting us about easily fixable things, so we changed it to say, "If you are receiving this error repeatedly, please contact Support. In the form, please include a link to the page you're trying to reach and how you're trying to reach this page."
- [AO3-4788] - We added an Acknowledgements page to our GitHub repository so we can thank the companies who provide the tools and technology we use.
- [AO3-4109] - We used to use angle quotation marks (« and ») as the links in works' series navigation, but they were difficult to use on touch devices, and confusing to anyone using a screenreader. We changed the links to say "Previous Work" and "Next Work" instead, which makes the links both bigger and clearer.
- [AO3-4839] - We also added some dividers to the series navigation to make it clearer where the links began and ended.
- [AO3-3991] - Some of the various pages related to creating and using site and work skins were missing navigation items or had their navigation items arranged in unexpected ways. We added the missing options and made the display more consistent with the rest of the Archive.
- [AO3-4716] - We've given site admins the ability to search for multiple users by email at one time. This will help Open Doors cut back on the number of duplicate imports that happen when they upload an archive.
- [AO3-4297] - We changed the way account activation emails are coded so the Translation team will be able to translate the email into a variety of languages.
- [AO3-4301] - We also changed password reset emails to allow them to be translated.
- [AO3-4302] - And the "you've been added as a co-creator of this work" emails!
- [AO3-4303] - Also the email that lets you know your account's email address has been updated.
- [AO3-4305] - Ditto the email you receive when you (or one of your co-creators) deletes a work.
- [AO3-4306] - And, lastly, we've made it so Translation can translate the email we send when a site admin deletes a work.
- [AO3-4806] - We deleted some unused challenge assignment code.
- [AO3-4745] - Sometimes multiple users bookmark the same external work, or someone bookmarks a work that another user has cited as an inspiration. It was previously possible for site admins to combine these duplicate external works, which was a good idea in theory, but in reality, not something we have the resources to monitor. We've removed admins' ability to do that.
- [AO3-4811] - We removed some unused prompt meme controller code we found while writing tests.
- [AO3-4766] - We removed some Gems we weren't using.
See our Known Issues page for current issues.