In this post:
- A bit of background explanation
- What this means for creators who have work on Sinful Desire
- And what to do if you still have questions
Sinful Desire was started in April 2006, and 10 years later, is home to almost 4,500 stories and has over 3,500 members. However, the archive runs on an outdated version of eFiction, and spambots and other technical upkeep, as well as financial costs, make it difficult for spiffyartgirl, the site administrator, to continue maintaining Sinful Desire as is. To preserve the archive's works and allow it to continue to grow, Open Doors will be working with a migration team to import Sinful Desire into a separate, searchable collection with its own identity. Eventually the links going to the old site will re-direct to the collection on AO3 so the works can continued to be found with their old URLs. We will begin importing works from Sinful Desire to the AO3 collection after September.
This is the part where we ask for your help!
1. If you already have an AO3 account and have posted your Sinful Desire works there, please contact Open Doors with your Sinful Desire pseud(s) and e-mail address(es), so that we won’t import your works. (Please include "Sinful Desire" in the subject heading.) Please visit the Open Doors website for instructions on mass-adding works to the new collection on the AO3, Sinful Desire.
2. If you don’t already have an AO3 account but would like one to import your works yourself, please contact Open Doors with your Sinful Desire pseud(s), and the preferred e-mail address to send the AO3 invite to. (Please include "Sinful Desire" in the subject heading.) Please visit the Open Doors website for instructions on importing works to the Sinful Desire collection on the AO3.
3. If you don’t already have an AO3 account but would like one, as well as assistance importing your works, please contact Open Doors with your Sinful Desire pseud(s), and the preferred e-mail address to send the AO3 invite to. (Please include "Sinful Desire" in the subject heading.) Once your account is set up, let us know your AO3 name, and we can transfer your works to you once imported.
4. If you would NOT like your works moved, please contact Open Doors with your Sinful Desire pseud(s) and e-mail address(es) so that we will not add them. (Please include "Sinful Desire" in the subject heading.) If you would not mind your works being preserved but do not want your name attached to them any longer, please let us know that too--we can orphan your works instead of leaving them behind to be deleted.
All works archived on a creator’s behalf will be attributed with the creator’s name in the byline of the work. As we import works, we will e-mail notifications to the address associated with the work. When all works have been accounted for, the Open Doors committee will set up the URL redirects.
All imported works will be set to be viewable only by logged-in AO3 users. Once you claim your works, you can make them publicly-viewable if you choose. After 30 days, all unclaimed imported works will be made visible to all visitors.
If you no longer have access to the email account associated with your Sinful Desire account, please contact Open Doors and we'll help you out. (If you've posted the works elsewhere, or have an easy way to verify that they're yours, that's fantastic; if not, we will work with the Sinful Desire mod to confirm your claims.)
We'd also love it if fans could help us preserve the story of Sinful Desire on Fanlore. If you're new to wiki editing, no worries! Check out the new visitor portal, or ask the Fanlore Gardeners for tips.
We're excited to be able to help preserve Sinful Desire!
- The Open Doors team