Slashknot, a Slipknot (band) LiveJournal community focussing on slash fanfiction and fanart, is being imported to the Archive of Our Own (AO3).
In this post:
- A bit of background explanation
- What this means for creators who have work on Slashknot
- And what to do if you still have questions
The Slashknot community is being imported for archiving purposes and to allow more people to have access to the works. The archivist feels that AO3's terms of service are more adapted than LiveJournal's for this type of content.
The purpose of the Open Doors Committee’s Online Archive Rescue Project is to assist moderators of archives to incorporate the fanworks from those archives into the Archive of Our Own. Open Doors works with moderators to import their archives when the moderators lack the funds, time, or other resources to continue to maintain their archives independently. It is extremely important to Open Doors that we work in collaboration with moderators who want to import their archives and that we fully credit creators, giving them as much control as possible over their fanworks. Open Doors will be working with zort to import Slashknot into a separate, searchable collection on the Archive of Our Own. As part of preserving the archive in its entirety, all fanfic and fanart currently in Slashknot will be hosted on the OTW's servers, and embedded in their own AO3 work pages.
We will begin importing works from Slashknot to the AO3 after November.
We will send an import notification to the email address we have for each creator. We'll do our best to check for an existing copy of any works before importing. If we find a copy already on the AO3, we will invite it to the collection instead of importing it. All works archived on behalf of a creator will include their name in the byline or the summary of the work.
All imported works will be set to be viewable only by logged-in AO3 users. Once you claim your works, you can make them publicly-viewable if you choose.
Please contact Open Doors with your Slashknot pseud(s) and email address(es), if:
- You'd like us to import your works, but you need the notification sent to a different email address than you used on the original archive.
- You already have an AO3 account and have imported your works already yourself.
- You’d like to import your works yourself (including if you don’t have an AO3 account yet).
- You would NOT like your works moved to the AO3.
- You are happy for us to preserve your works on the AO3, but would like us to remove your name.
- You have any other questions we can help you with.
Please include the name of the archive in the subject heading of your email. If you no longer have access to the email account associated with your Slashknot account, please contact Open Doors and we'll help you out. (If you've posted the works elsewhere, or have an easy way to verify that they're yours, that's great; if not, we will work with the Slashknot mod to confirm your claims.)
Please see the Open Doors Website for instructions on:
We're excited to be able to help preserve Slashknot!
- The Open Doors team and zort
Commenting on this post will be disabled in 14 days, on 20 November. If you have any questions, concerns, or comments regarding this import after that date, please contact Open Doors.