Side by Side, a Star Trek e-zine for fanfiction and fanart, is being imported to the Archive of Our Own (AO3).
In this post:
- A bit of background explanation
- What this means for creators who had work on Side by Side
- And what to do if you still have questions
The Side by Side e-zine was a significant stepping stone in the movement of K/S slash from the print era through to today's many online archive options. Unfortunately, in 2010, the domain name hosting Side by Side was lost, and along with it went a chunk of K/S history. Although some of the works are still accessible via the Wayback Machine, many of these are now also disappearing. Not many fandoms have the amazing history that K/S does, and it's worth the effort to preserve this part of it.
Open Doors will be working with LadyKardasi and Sahviere to import Side by Side into separate, searchable collections on the Archive of Our Own. As part of preserving the archive in its entirety, all fanart currently in Side by Side will be hosted on the OTW's servers, and embedded in their own AO3 work pages.
We will begin importing works from Side by Side to the AO3 after June.
We will send an import notification to the email address we have for each creator. We'll do our best to check for an existing copy of any works before importing. If we find a copy already on the AO3, we will invite it to the collection instead of importing it. All works archived on behalf of a creator will include their name in the byline or the summary of the work.
All imported works will be set to be viewable only by logged-in AO3 users. Once you claim your works, you can make them publicly-viewable if you choose.
Please contact Open Doors with your Side by Side pseud(s) and email address(es), if:
- You'd like us to import your works, but you need the notification sent to a different email address than you used on the original archive
- You already have an AO3 account and have imported your works already yourself.
- You’d like to import your works yourself (including if you don’t have an AO3 account yet).
- You would NOT like your works moved to the AO3.
- You are happy for us to preserve your works on the AO3, but would like us to remove your name.
- You have any other questions we can help you with.
Please include the name of the archive in the subject heading of your email. If you no longer have access to the email account associated with your Side by Side account, please contact Open Doors and we'll help you out. (If you've posted the works elsewhere, or have an easy way to verify that they're yours, that's great; if not, we will work with the Side by Side mods to confirm your claims.)
Please see the Open Doors Website for instructions on
We'd also love it if fans could help us preserve the story of Side by Side on Fanlore. If you're new to wiki editing, no worries! Check out the new visitor portal, or ask the Fanlore Gardeners for tips.
We're excited to be able to help preserve Side by Side!
- The Open Doors team, LadyKardasi, and Sahviere