FictionAlley, a Harry Potter fanfiction, fanart and essay archive, is being imported to the Archive of Our Own (AO3) (although the FictionAlley Park forums are staying where they are).
In this post:
- A bit of background explanation
- What this means for creators who have work on FictionAlley
- And what to do if you still have questions
In JKR's Wizarding World, one comes of age at 17; as FictionAlley has reached its 17th year, it's time for the fic and art to move to a larger database - the Archive Of Our Own. Forums/Park posts, blogposts, tutorials and pre-2006 essays are still hosted at FictionAlley.org.
Open Doors will be working with Heidi, on behalf of the FictionAlley team to import FictionAlley into a separate, searchable collection on the Archive of Our Own. As part of preserving the archive in its entirety, all fanfiction, fanart and HPInkPot essays currently on FictionAlley will be hosted on the OTW's servers, and embedded in their own AO3 work pages. Eventually, redirects will be set up from the original archive to the AO3 collection.
We will begin importing works from FictionAlley to the AO3 after August.
We will send an import notification to the email address we have for each creator. All works archived on behalf of a creator will include their name in the byline or the summary of the work.
All imported works will be set to be viewable only by logged-in AO3 users. Once you claim your works, you can make them publicly-viewable if you choose. No less than 1 month after the import has completed, all unclaimed imported works will be made visible to all visitors. Open Doors will then set up the redirects.
Please contact Open Doors with your FictionAlley pseud(s) and email address(es), if:
- You'd like us to import your works, but you need the notification sent to a different email address than you used on the original archive
- You already have an AO3 account and have imported your works already yourself.
- You’d like to import your works yourself (including if you don’t have an AO3 account yet).
- You would NOT like your works moved to the AO3.
- You are happy for us to preserve your works on the AO3, but would like us to remove your name.
- You have any other questions we can help you with.
Please include the name of the archive in the subject heading of your email. If you no longer have access to the email account associated with your FictionAlley account, please contact Open Doors and we'll help you out. (If you've posted the works elsewhere, or have an easy way to verify that they're yours, that's great; if not, we will work with the FictionAlley mod to confirm your claims.)
Please see the Open Doors Website for instructions on
We'd also love it if fans could help us preserve the story of FictionAlley on Fanlore. If you're new to wiki editing, no worries! Check out the new visitor portal, or ask the Fanlore Gardeners for tips.
We're excited to be able to help preserve FictionAlley!
- The Open Doors team and Heidi, on behalf of the FictionAlley team
The Organization for Transformative Works is the non-profit parent organization of multiple projects including Archive of Our Own, Fanlore, Open Doors, Transformative Works and Cultures, and OTW Legal Advocacy. We are a fan run, entirely donor-supported organization staffed by volunteers. Find out more about us on our website.