Actions

Work Header

What can break and what never will

Summary:

Mac gets kidnapped. Jack and the team do everything they can to save him before it's too late.

Notes:

I just got a new computer and some of the keys don't like to work so I'm getting a lot more errors in my work then normal. That being said I'm looking for a few people who would be willing to edit for me. If you are interested shoot me a message. And if there are any errors in this first part please let me know so I can edit it.

Chapter 1

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Mac didn’t understand it. The science behind it wasn’t the problem; on a theoretical level brainwashing was a very interesting topic. Recently doctors have been trying to unlock the secrets of the brain to help the body heal itself faster, better. Going further back in the history there are records as far back as the Korean war pointing to the CIA experimenting in brainwashing.

No theory was all one thing, but actual implementation was something else altogether. In fact, Mac thought it would remain impossible. There should be some things that remain a mystery, otherwise life would be boring.

Yet here he was, trapped in his own head.

 

About two weeks earlier:

The team was called in and soon on a plane to the Aegean Sea. They all managed to get some sleep on the plane which turned out to be the most relaxing part of the day. They had been on the ground for a few hours, strictly surveillance at that point, when their targets had decided to split up. Riley couldn’t track them both so Mac had volunteered to follow one of them. Jack had tried to come with Mac, but they had both agreed that Riley shouldn’t be left alone.

So Mac followed Doctor Abir through the streets of Bodrum on foot.  Slowly the Doctor made his way towards the edge of the city, stopping at a few shops and venders along the way. It wasn’t until the fourth stop at a street vendor that Mac realized he had been made.

Pulling out his phone he hit speed dial for Jack. Mac looked around and realized the Doctor already had men with him. Mac was trapped.

“What’s up?” Jack answered on the second ring.

“I’ve got trouble.” Mac said turning down the nearest street. “The Doctor spotted me, I have… three men on my tail.”

“We’re on our way.” Jack said and Mac could hear the engine turn over in their surveillance van.

“Mac, I got eyes on your location.” Riley said, evidently taking the phone so Jack could drive. “Take the next left in eight feet.”

Mac saw it and made a dash for the alleyway. Behind him someone shouted.

“We’re about fifteen minutes out.” Jack called.

“Mac, bad guys are right behind you.” Riley said.

“Yeah, I got that.” Mac ran to the end of the alley and turned right. He was halfway down the street, his pursuers slowly falling behind when everything turned pear shaped.

“Mac stop!” Riley warned, too late.

Two men stepped out of a doorway just ahead of Mac. He slid to a stop and turned but the three men behind him were spreading out to block him in. Turning back to face the men ahead of him Mac noticed that Doctor Abir was the second man. The doctor was smiling, it wasn’t a pleasant smile.

“We’re almost to you Mac.” Jack called over the phone and Mac could hear tires squealing as the car accelerated.

Mac dropped the phone at that point as the first of his attackers made a swing at him. Mac blocked, using the energy of the man’s punch to propel him over Mac’s shoulder, then he grabbed a handful of dust and pebbles from the ground to throw in the face of the second attacker. The first man recovered and tried to put Mac in a headlock, earning him an elbow in the gut. That’s when one of the men behind Mac got close enough to knock him out with a blow to the back of the head.

 

***

Jack swore at the traffic as the phone connection dropped out.

“Riley, get Mac back on the phone.” Jack growled as he swerved through traffic.

“I’m trying but it’s not like I can make Mac answer his phone.” Riley was on her computer. “I’m activating his phone’s camera to see what’s happening.”

“What’s it showing?” Jack asked.

“Nothing.” Riley growled slamming her fist down on the arm rest of her chair.

“What do you mean nothing?” Jack yelled.

“The camera is pointed at the ground, I can’t see a damn thing.” Riley yelled back.

“Alright, aright, stop yelling at me.” Jack said, turning down another street.

“You’re the one yelling at me.” Riley shot back

Jack opened his mouth to respond then shut it. He turned his full attention to the road, and steering through the congested streets, his fists clenched around the wheel so tight his knuckles were white. Counting to ten Jack started again.

“Riley,” he said gently, “How far out are we?”

“Take the next right.” Riley instructed. “We’re still over a mile and a half out.”

“Is there any other way that has less traffic.” Jack started growling.

“This is the fastest way, we’re already on back roads to avoid most of the traffic.” Riley was checking all the roads in the area, making sure they got to Mac as fast as they could.

“This is as bad as LA.” Jack growled as he laid on his horn and drove half on the curve to get around the stand still traffic.

Five minutes later they were on top of Mac’s phone GPS location. Jack was out of the car even before it had come to a complete stop. And Riley followed with her computer a moment later. Following the map on her screen Riley walked down the alley to stand over Mac’s phone. She picked it up as Jack slowly walked up and down the alley, he stared at the ground making a map out of the tracks he could see.

“They had back up waiting with a car. There are drag marks here, they must have knocked Mac out.” Jack walked the scene through backwards. “He knocked down two of them before he went down. There were two teams, the one chasing him and another that cut him off ahead.”

Riley searched the local security cameras trying to find the car Mac was in.

“We’re in a blind spot. The closes video is half a block away.” She started the playback of the feed.

Jack leaned over her shoulder watching the video. The camera was pointed mostly at the store fronts but it gave a view of the street halfway down. Most of the traffic was slow and from what Jack could tell there were no rules of the road in this country. After about forty seconds Jack saw what he was looking for.

“Pause.” Jack instructed. “Zoom in there.”

Riley enhanced the image where Jack was pointing. “What do you see?”

“That van has been parked since you started the video. Two people just got in but look at the shadows here.”

Under the van Riley could just make out shadows. “So someone is getting in on the other side of the van.”

“Is there another video feed you can pull up?” Jack asked.

“Only one that will have an angle of the van.” Riley was already typing, hacking into the video feed and pulling up the right time.

Riley watched the feed. "Shit."

Jack was right, with the new video feed they could clearly see two men dragging Mac between them and got into the back of the van. Even before the van drove out of the camera range Riley had found the next camera it would pass.

“Let’s go.” Jack ran back to the car, Riley right behind him as she tracked the van through the city.

Notes:

A few minor edits have been made, just little things like making sure Riley was tracking a 'van' and not a 'can'