Actions

Work Header

He Might Just Be a Perfect Match

Summary:

Is Noah hot for mysterious new loner Gustavo? Short answer: yes. Long answer: hell yes.

Chapter 1: If You're Bi-Curious and I'm Bi-Curious, Who's Flying the Plane?

Chapter Text

In all the time that Audrey had known Noah, she had never seen him be lost for words. The kid always had something to say about everything, no matter how much you wanted him to stop. Whether it be teachers attempting to wrangle their lesson back from his plentiful tangents or actual murderers trying to end the lives of his and his friends, Noah simply didn’t know when to stop.

Imagine her surprise, then, when she came to school one morning to see him leaning against his locker and staring slack-jawed into space. He didn’t see her show up, and she had to jab him in the kidney to get him to snap out of his trance.

“Ow!” he squeeked as he flinched away from her. “What was that for?”

“It was to get you out of your dream-state or whatever. What’s with you? I’ve never seen you looking so out of it.”

Noah grumbled. “I’m not ‘out of it’, I’m...I’m pensive, okay? I have a lot on my mind right now.”

Audrey smirked. “You always have a lot on your mind and never hesitate to let others know about it. Once you say one thing you can’t stop.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Like Pringles.”

“I get it,” he replied snarkily. Then he sighed. “Okay, maybe that’s me usually, but I’m trying to figure something out.” He pointed towards a student standing across the hall from the two of them. Audrey looked and recognized Gustavo, a new kid who had only joined a few weeks ago. He was busy fiddling with the tablet in his hands. Actually, now that she looked closer, she saw he was drawing something.

“Please tell me you don’t think he’s the accomplice.”

Noah chuckled. “I haven’t taken him off the list, but this is about something else.” He took a breath. “Do you think he’s attractive?”

Audrey shrugged. “I guess so, if you’re into that sort of thing. Maybe not my type but he seems to check all the boxes people look for.” Then she paused. “Do you think he’s attractive?”

Her friend squirmed against the lockers. “Well he is the whole tall-dark-handsome package, so I think I have to say yes.” He turned back to her. “And here you see my conundrum.”

She smirked again. “Aw, are Bi-Curious and the Virgin going to have to change their name?”

Noah chuckled softly. “I don’t want to say anything but...I am not ruling out the possibility.”

“Damn. And I had just ordered the business cards.”

“Ha-ha,” Noah said grinning. Then after a moment he frowned. “Wait, did you?”

“No, ya dink.” Audrey punched him playfully in the arm. “Look, I’m here for you if you need to sort out your un-straight thoughts, except for right now because I have to finish an algebra assignment before class starts.” She glanced to the side and nodded. “Besides, here comes your man.”

Noah balked as she walked away. “Audrey, he’s not my -”

“Hey Noah.”

“Hey, Gustavo!” Noah said a little bit too cheerfully. He kicked himself mentally. “What’s...up?”

Gustavo smiled. “Well, I don’t mean to pry -”

Noah shook his head. “No, no, by all means pry. My life is an open book, it’s why I took over the podcast.”

Gustavo nodded. “That’s actually what I wanted to talk to you about. I listen to your podcast every once in a while, and on one episode you mentioned that you’ve got a diagram for investigating the Piper Shaw murders?”

Noah’s eyes lit up - they always did when somebody brought up his work. “Yeah! I call it the murder board, it’s a staple of police investigations, or at least the ones I see on TV. Not sure how often they appear in the real world, which you would know! Because. Sheriff’s son and all of that.” He furrowed his brow. Was he babbling? He never got this flustered talking to other people.

But at least Gustavo didn’t seem too put off. “Sometimes we use them. Probably not as often as you’d hope.” He laughed under his breath. “But I was wondering if I might be able to see it?” He glanced away, then took a step closer to Noah. “Maybe today after school? If you’re not too busy.”

Noah’s throat was dry, so he quickly swallowed. “Uh, no, yeah, that’d be great. Especially since all my other friends think it’s weird.”

“Well, from one horror fan to another: a little weird can go a long way.” Gustavo pulled out a slip of paper and jotted something down on it. “Here’s my number,” he said as he handed it over.

Noah took it and quickly added it to his contacts. “Alright. I’ll send you my address. You can come by around 4:30?”

Gustavo patted Noah on the shoulder. “Sounds like a plan. Later, Noah.” And he walked away.

Noah took a moment to catch his breath. He had so many butterflies in his stomach since...

Since Riley.

Maybe he and Audrey needed to order new business cards after all.