Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2012-05-17
Updated:
2012-10-17
Words:
62,507
Chapters:
12/?
Comments:
168
Kudos:
1,310
Bookmarks:
328
Hits:
49,532

Winter and Spring

Summary:

Fill for this Norsekink prompt- Loki as Daenerys and Thor as Drogo. Loki is given to Thor by his brother as a ploy to gain Asgard's army. Much political scheming and conspiracies ensue as Loki finally finds his place in life and in Thor's heart.

For the full prompt here is the link- http://norsekink.livejournal.com/2496.html?thread=4512960#t4512960

Chapter Text

Chapter 1

Odin’s defeat of Jotunheim has far reaching consequences that not even the All Father could have foreseen.

When he takes the Casket of Ancient Winters—Odin speaks gallantly of the safety of others, but what he does not say is that it is more about punishment then it is about protection—it plunges Jotunheim into eternal darkness.

It also seals Laufey’s fate.

“You’ve killed us all.” He informs the All Father that very last time they see one another.

“A civilization can live without power, a lesson you will all soon learn.” Odin replied coldly as he left. “And you have no one to blame for yourself.”

Laufey merely laughs and it is a deep, choking sound laced with a dark, bitter resignation.

Less than a month later the once great king is dead.

The war had been a costly one, a last twofold gamble on Laufey’s arrogant part to boldly assert his authority and--more importantly--to stave off his reigns growing unpopularity. It had been an attempt to keep the wolves at bay that coveted his crown while sating Jotunheim’s growing lust and demand for power and excess. (For how easily they forgot their displeasure when Laufey overthrew worlds for their vanity.)

Instead the war damns Jotunheim, crippling it beyond repair without the casket and the people who had eagerly bayed for the blood of other worlds now bayed for their kings in retribution for his folly. The Frost Giant Nál leads a rebellion that storms the once great palace and with his own hand he slays Laufey and in doing so declares himself the new king. He has Laufey’s body displayed on the palace gates for all to see in a challenge and as a warning to others.

Heimdall sees. He sees everything that happened and more and informs Odin.

When Nál (secretly) contacts Asgard to negotiate the casket’s return he is rebuffed much to his poorly concealed rage.

“Your violent act of treason and disposition of your rightful king does not prove your people have changed or are truly repentant, let alone deserving enough to warrant the caskets return.” Odin informed him. “Laufey is responsible for a great many atrocities, but the burden of responsibility is also shared by all Frost Giants. His actions were, in part, in response to the demands of his people. And if I were so inclined to return the casket, I would only do so to the rightful and worthy king of Jotunheim.”

“I am the rightful and worthy king of Jotunheim!” Nál roared.

“By the rules and authority that governs all Nine Realms you would technically considered a regent as you posses no official royal blood.” Odin said caustically. “Even if I were to consider negotiations, I would only do so with Laufey himself or his descendant. Your actions have served no one but yourself and they are for naught.”

“Laufey’s sons are dead. His dynasty is no more, today beings a new one.” Nál’s bold declaration is met with scorn.

“A lie. And an insult. You dare presume to fool me?” For Heimdall has seen everything. He’s seen Fárbauti steal away in the night on the day of her husband’s death, taking with her Laufey’s sons and rightful heirs to the throne. He has seen Nál and his forces searching the barren lands of Jotunheim for her and her offspring and been unsuccessful in locating them. He has seen Nál‘s (rightful) confidence in the knowledge that they have been permanently banished, unable to seek aid from anyone.

He has also seen the last of crafty Fárbauti, for she has used sorcery to hide herself even from his eyes. She is nothing if not through. It’s not an arrogant assumption on Nál’s behalf to believe Laufey’s line is doomed but Heimdall doubts, though he keeps this to himself.

“You choose more poorly then your last king. I will not return the casket to you nor will I negotiate either. Your actions have been for nothing.” Odin decrees and that is the last they speak to one another.

“Jotunheim fosters a great rage and resentment my King.” Heimdall warned. “And crippled they are even more dangerous. They are a force to be reckoned with even more so now and that force will grow.”

Odin says simply and grimly “I know.” He walks away, heavy with the knowledge that the loss of Laufey is hardly a victory or a thing to be celebrated.

So Heimdall watches Jotunheim, seeing changes over the years that are so small that not even the All Father with all his wisdom could see them.

He waits patiently, watching those changes come towards Asgard like a wave and he smiles in welcome.

 

 

 

 

Fárbauti dies a year after her husband.

Jotunheim, for the time being, might have been against them but that does not mean everyone turns their backs to Laufey’s line. Fárbauti is one who is underestimated, both reviled and loved, for she is a strong queen which most tended to forget (until reminded) as she is perceived, in the same breath, to be a weak one. She was not as physically strong as most Frost Giants, but the power of her sorcery was crushing. Though she cared for Laufey she had not returned his feelings of love (she was pragmatic, their marriage was politically motivated and she had been satisfied with it) and she had given him two strong sons.

But she had also given him a devastatingly weak one. A halfling, a tiny, weak thing who’s very birth is a disgrace to Laufey. What is an even bigger betrayal is that she will not allow him to be killed as was customary for such things.

“He is mine.” Is all she says to justify her decision and her refusal to kill it is the only true issue of contention in her long marriage. She names him Loki and to Laufey’s shame and surprise he does not die within a few years as his kind always did.

Fárbauti, like Laufey, see’s the king’s death coming and she leaves him to his fate because she cannot save him but she can save Helblindi and Loki. (Býleistr, her middle child, had disappeared during the war to her great grief) She can retreat and wait in order to win.

Her own time was running out, her health had been fading (another strike against her in the eyes of the people) and the harsh conditions of their banishment coupled with Jotunheim’s declining environment worsen it.

She spends her remaining time wisely, secretly making arrangements far away from Nál’s eyes and ears. The reach Fárbauti has at her disposal is considerable and she makes much use of it, secreting away to the homes of others on favors and goodwill. She makes Helblindi memorize names of other noble families, memorize the secrets of them that he can use to barter his way into their graces for protection or favors.

Such tactics are crass and beneath Laufey’s line but it’s necessary and, as Fárbauti tells Helblindi, temporary.

“All kings must go through a journey to make them into who they are.” Fárbauti says, gripping Helblindi’s face in her hands as she lectures harshly. “Yours is fraught with hardship. These times will be a true test of who you are. We are left with nothing and yet there have been kings who have forged their way to power with even less. This will only mean that when you take back your rightful crown, your reign will be unrivaled in the history of Jotunheim because this journey will help you find that power. Are you a true king my son?”

“Yes.” Helblindi says in awe.

“Then be a great one Helblindi and nothing less. Learn from the mistakes of your father, you are meant for more.” Her words are a meant as a warning as much as encouragement, for she see’s in her son the seeds of self destruction that were in her own husband. It worries her, because Helblindi takes after Laufey in so many wrong ways and coupled with his newly found position as (former, for now) king with Býleistr gone, she sees the potential for history to repeat itself. Potential that grows daily as she inadvertently fills his head with entitlement, her own anger and bitterness at Nál unintentionally making her words poison as she attempts to encourage Helblindi to take back the crown.

Loki is too young to remember but Fárbauti whispers to him in secret.

“Little one, I confess that I do know what your purpose in this life is. I could see so clearly the meaning in your brothers but for you I must admit that I am blind. I think that perhaps yours is so great that I cannot comprehend it. What I do know is that you are meant for so much more then what Jotunheim will tell or allow you to be. I see strength in you; you need only to remember that you have it.”

When she dies she has Helblindi swear he will keep his brother with him and keep him safe.

He does so reluctantly and Fárbauti dies a faceless, disgraced queen that leaves her sons to wander Jotunheim, its cold future in their hands.

 

 

 

Hardships define a person.

That is what Fárbauti lectured Helblindi about constantly. Hardships could either make you into someone great or someone weak. You had a choice as to who it would forge you into.

Helblindi is defined by many things but primarily his resentment. As he grows into manhood so too grows his impatience, his anger and his bitterness. Living on the scrapes of good will of others or those who feel a pitiful obligation towards the Laufeysons enrages Helblindi. It’s humiliating and degrading and it does nothing to sooth his wounded ego.

“That should be me sitting on that throne.” He rages to Loki and not for the first time either. “Every day that traitor rests upon it disgraces me even more. What am I brother? I, once a prince and future king of Jotunheim and yet here I am, reduced to nothing more than a peasant beggar to the very people meant to serve me. Wandering from one noble home to another and taking shelter like some kind of a frightened child in the face of a nobody like Nál. How am I to command respect when forced to live like this?”

Loki says nothing. He has no words that will comfort Helblindi and any attempt to provide it will only be rebuffed violently. His brother’s monstrous temper had become even more erratic and had grown over the years. There were days when he quietly feared for Helblindi’s sanity. Every attempt, every plan to make leeway in seizing back his crown had ended in failure. It weighed heavily on his brother and his embarrassment and frustration only fueled his aggression.

“Am I never to be King little brother?” Helblindi despaired in a rare moment of sorrow. They sat outside the once grand home of Liulfr, Lord of Wolves, who had welcomed them a few months ago and provided shelter and support for the Laufey sons. Helblindi laughed bitterly, using his finger to trace patterns into the smooth white snow they sat in. “My options dwindle steady every day. I have no army, and not enough support to form one. I… I have nothing.”

“You have me.” Loki offers softly and as much as he fears his brother he aches for him in that moment and relates to him. Loki loved Helblindi and if he lost his brother he too would be left with nothing. The scope of that mere implication is more terrifying then anything he could ever imagine, even his brother’s volatile moods.

Helblindi chuckles ruefully. “You are nothing little brother.” He speaks with a brutal truth, his matter of fact tone making Loki flinch inwardly. “Nothing at all.”

And yet he’s not. This occurs to Helblindi later, sitting in Liulfr’s library and woefully looking at an ancient book containing beautifully rendered drawings of the Casket of Ancient Winters. Helblindi yearns to possess it, not only because it rightfully belongs to him but because if he had it he wouldn’t need an army to retake his throne. He could destroy worlds with the casket, Nál and those who followed him (out of fear, despair or genuine support, Helblindi did not care for their reasons, merely their actions) wouldn’t stand a chance against him if he had the casket. The only reason Nál had been able to take control is because Odin had taken it away.

That is when an idea occurs to Helblindi.

“Odin will never give you the casket.” Liulfr said calmly. “He won’t even negotiate with you for its return. Not after what Laufey did.”

“But I am not my father.” Helblindi said boldly. “The only reason Odin will not negotiate is because he has been given no reason to believe or trust us. I will give him one.”

He could engineer one, and Liulfr is actually impressed at Helblindi’s strategy once he explains it. It’s brilliant actually and more importantly, it could work. He agrees to assist Helblindi with everything and he possesses the kind of reach to achieve what needed to be done.

For the first time in years Helblindi feels excitement, a rush of eager anticipation. The answer to his problems had been, in a way, foolishly simple.

Now he could seize back his throne because all along he had possessed something that he could barter with.

He had Loki.

 

 

 

Helblindi’s plan takes a year to implement and execute.

Liulfr deliberately ensures that Nál learns of a secret pathway to Asgard, one that could be used without the aid of magic and one that the Asgard’s powerful guardian, Heimdall, cannot see or even knows about. (There are many more pathways like it but Helblindi does not share this even with Liulfr. It is a family secret for only those of Laufey’s dynasty to know.)

It’s a temptation that provokes the kind of response Helblindi had been hoping for. He personally sends forth word to Odin about the small party of Frost Giants that Nál dispatches, hoping to steal the casket.

It works far beyond his expectations but also has unforeseen consequences. Thor Odinson arrives on Jotunheim and panicked at what he could be doing, Helblindi sends warning to Odin but it is too late. Thor’s rash actions ensure a war between Asgard and Jotunheim which delights Helblindi (it will make what is to come so much easier) but there is also a setback when he learns Thor has been banished by his own father.

“Calm yourself.” Liulfr ordered a panicked Helblindi.

You calm down!” Helblindi snarled. “This will have all been for nothing again without the Odinson.”

“He will not stay banished my lord. The All Father will not allow his only son and heir to remain gone forever. He is doing this for a reason. We must wait.”

They wait for half a year before word reaches them that Thor has indeed returned and Helblindi can finally breathe easier.

He then reaches out to Odin to arrange a secret meeting. Perhaps the All Father is curious, or see’s value in such a meeting, or even has a desire to see and revel in what his conquest of Jotunheim has wrought but either way, he surprisingly agrees to it with relative swiftness.

Helblindi, utilizing the same path Nál’s forces had, slips into Asgard and by mutual agreement meets Odin alone at the Bifrost. Not even Heimdall seems to be there though he doesn’t doubt for a moment the guardian is watching.

“We are at war with one another.” Odin says. “I am not inclined to return the casket given our circumstances.”

Helblindi eyed him pleased to see how tired the All Father looks. “You are at war with Nál.” He corrected. “You and I are not.”

“And I should believe you why? You, the offspring of the very father I defeated. Am I to believe you harbor no feelings of ill will at all?”

“Oh I do. I would be a liar to say otherwise, and cold hearted to feel differently. But those feelings are milder then you would think and I will admit they are due to loyalty and love. However I’m objective enough to see the sides of all matters. My father was the architect of his own downfall; even I cannot fully hold you responsible for that. You were at war, responding justly to a challenge and you won fairly. I cannot begrudge you that.”

Odin contemplated that for a moment, studying the Frost Giant before him and unable to gage his level of sincerity.

“Besides in the hierarchy of things, whatever personal grudges we may hold to one another, they amount to nothing when it is our people at stake.”

“Our people?” There, a common nerve hit just as Helblindi had been hoping for.

“Yes,” He said. “Our people. Asgard will not be the only one affected if you go to war with Jotunheim. My people would suffer more losses then perhaps yours. We have a common goal All Father, neither of us wants this battle, it is far too costly and my people have suffered enough.”

“You’re not asking for the casket.” Odin realized.

“I am asking for a chance and for assistance. You and I both want to stop this war before it starts. If you want to ensure that I need to be restored to my throne. I am not you enemy Odin, I am your ally.”

Odin clearly has doubts but he is intrigued. It’s the perfect solution, the least bloodless and that is the problem, it is to perfect. That Jotunheim would welcome back the son of their former king was highly unlikely, but from what Heimdall has seen of the Frost Giants over the years and of Nál’s rule, they would not outright reject Helblindi as they would have years ago. Nál did not inspire the people, nor did he implement changes that would make them prosper or ease their hard times, he did not have the proper tools available to do so. Helblindi on the other hand…

“You are not an ally if I cannot trust you.” Odin finally said.

“True. And yet I’ve already helped you. Who do you think it was that warned you of the Frost Giants attempt to retake the casket? Or of your sons brash retaliation? Nál cannot possess the casket, the consequences would be devastating for all Nine Realms. And I knew Thor Odinson’s actions would lead to war, it is why I sent word to you. I vividly remember our last war; I don’t want to repeat it.”

“Hmm.” Odin, as predicted, is impressed by that. “What do you propose?”

“An alliance. Imagine it All Father, Jotunheim and Asgard, two of the most powerful of all the Nine Realms joined as one, a force unlike anything that has been seen before. How inspiring would that be, two former, mortal enemies uniting as one in peace.”

“And all that would take is Asgard putting you back on the throne? You want Asgard’s power and armies to directly interfere in your world affairs.” He says nothing of the casket, but the implication for it to eventually be returned hung heavy in the air between them. “I fail to see how your word alone guarantees an alliance, grateful though I may be for your earlier warnings.”

“True, given our history a mere pledge does seem to be a rather empty gesture. But what about uniting our houses into one?” Helblindi asked slyly, lip curling into a vicious smile.

“You would marry my son?” Even Helblindi cannot blame Odin for the skepticism (and amusement) he doesn’t even try to hide.

“Hardly. For starters your son would never agree to that and I doubt my own people would be that accepting.” That much at least is not a lie. The fickle people of Jotunheim might be willing to accept Helblindi back, even if it is by the force of Asgard’s army, but accepting their king married to the future king of Asgard would be asking too much. The image of Helblindi selling himself to the enemy that had condemned their world and offering it up in return for his crown would be damaging beyond repair.

It would take but the littlest of adjustments to circumvent that.

“I believe there is someone else more suitable to your son’s tastes, someone who will not make the prospect of a political marriage to a Frost Giant so unappealing as to be unlivable or that much of a sacrifice. My youngest brother Loki.”

Odin was once again surprised. “You have a younger sibling? This is the first I’m hearing of this.”

“That’s because Laufey never acknowledged him. He is a known secret to the Jotun, a halfing who should have died or have been killed as a disgrace. My mother and I did not allow that.”

“Why?”

“He is my brother.” Helblindi feigned offense. “I don’t care what our culture’s views and demands are. I will not let my own brother be killed simply because he does not live up to their barbaric standards.” It’s the perfect thing to say, the Jotun’s beliefs were seen as nothing more than savage and backwards to the Asgardians--a truly hypocritical viewpoint considering Asgard’s own customs--and it impresses Odin. “Loki is a little smaller than your son and is a powerful sorcerer. He would make a worthy companion.”

Odin considered for a minute and finally said “I will meet with this Loki first. If I find him to be favorable and if Thor is willing, I am inclined to agree to your terms. I make no promises.”

It was all Helblindi could do to restrain the impulse to yell in triumph. He’s so excited that he can barely contain himself and when Odin secretly travels to Jotunheim via the secret path Helblindi had disclosed in another bid for trust (Heimdall however is ever vigilant, the All Father had made that abundantly clear.), he forces Loki to wear the finest leathers and armor of royalty, adored with the furs of wolves long extinct and finished the look with a rich green cloak.

It is all borrowed from Liulfr but it has the desired effect of making Loki look impressive enough by Asgard standards.

“Brother,” Helblindi said to him with an affectionate, gentle tone that was undone by the frightening intensity in his red eyes. He gripped Loki’s arms, his large hands almost engulfing them completely and though he didn’t squeeze, the threat that he could at the slightest hint of displeasure was very evident. He waits patiently until Loki finally looks at him, face rigidly blank. “This is important, do not disappoint me. Everything hinges on this meeting. I am depending on you, haven’t I taken such great care of you?”

Loki just stares at him and Helblindi grits his teeth when he doesn’t say anything immediately and when he finally does speak, it is in that gratingly flat tone he’s had ever since Helblindi told him of his plan. “Yes.”

“Then repay me Loki, show me your gratitude. It’s not such a terrible thing I ask of you, you owe it to me, your brother and rightful king.”

Loki has no idea what Helblindi honestly expects him to do. Oh his brother has told him what to do (be demure… show respect and reverence towards Odin… impress him… show intelligence but don’t be obvious... don’t be boastful… try and feign curiosity and hope about Asgard) but how to do it is another matter entirely. His brother expects him to be appealing and charming and beautiful and so many things Loki has never been or encouraged to be and the pressure is unbearable.

It feels like the most transparent and horribly constructed façade ever created and Lok is so thoroughly unnerved and sick at the prospect (at incurring his brother’s wrath or worse still, it working) that he is sure that the meeting with Odin is a disaster.

The All Father is not what he expected (he looks so old and tired), he is cloaked in simple, travel robes yet he still retains his powerful, intimidating presence. Loki can’t bring himself to look at him much, let alone speak to him. They sat in Liulfr’s large guest room by a roaring fire and Loki has no idea what to say so he says nothing, painfully aware that that was about the worst course of action considering the expectations.

Odin does not help. Apart from introductions they haven’t said much to one another in the last hour save for a few inquires on Odin’s part.

“Your kinds touch is harmful to us.” Odin said thoughtfully. “How do you propose to overcome this obstacle?”

“I can… change my appearance to that of an Asgardian.” Loki offered, suppressing a wince at the remembrance of the tortuous hours Helblindi had forced him to endure, practicing transforming, a task that wasn’t as easy to accomplish as his brother had been hoping for much to his irritation.

“You must look like them.” Helblindi had said furiously. “He can’t touch you otherwise and he’ll find you unappealing enough if you look like you normally do. Acceptance among the Asgardians will come easier if you look like them and they will be more inclined to corporate.”

“Show me.”

Loki offered his hand which Odin took and there was only a brief flash of pain as the beginnings of frost bite began to set in before abruptly stopping. Within moments Loki’s Jotun features melted away into the visage of an Asgardian. He can’t tell if Odin is pleased by what he sees as the All Father keeps his face carefully blank and Loki maintains his transformation for the rest of the visit and they speak no more.

When Loki looked at him one last time unable to stand the quite anymore Odin suddenly smiled. He nodded once, satisfied, before he took his leave without even informing Helblindi who demanded “Well? Did he like you?”

“I don’t know.” Loki said honestly.

“If you have ruined this I will slit your throat.” Helblindi coldly promised as Loki calmly removed the magnificent, horned helmet that had been made for him as he transformed back.

The threat only made Loki feel even more strangely peaceful.

It’s a short lived sensation; to his utter shock and disappointment Odin contacts Helblindi a few days later with a simple message.

“He’ll do. Thor has agreed.”