Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2015-02-04
Words:
1,083
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
25
Kudos:
803
Bookmarks:
81
Hits:
10,486

kicking off the cruise-control

Summary:

Yoongi takes Jungkook by the hand, and runs.

Notes:

title: kicking off the cruise-control
pairing: suga/jungkook
summary: Yoongi takes Jungkook by the hand, and runs.
word count: 1k
note: dedicated to all the sugakookie fans. don’t be shy, ask me anything/drop me a review.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Work Text:

Yoongi never realized how therapeutic driving can be. The empty road stretches out in front of him, with no end in sight. Keeping his hand steady on the wheel, he appreciates the scenery for awhile before sparing a glance at his sleeping companion. The moment Jungkook got into the car, he was out like a light. It was a good thing Yoongi got him to use a neck pillow, otherwise the maknae’s neck would be hurting like hell when he wakes. 

It’s not as if Yoongi has a penchant for being a troublemaker, but he does do things his way. It just so happens that this secret getaway breaks about a hundred company rules. Still, Jungkook is the one he cares about. 

The youngest has had school work piled up to his ears, all of that on top of their busy schedule. For the past few weeks, if Jungkook wasn’t in one corner going over dance moves or practicing his vocals; he would have his nose stuck in a textbook, scribbling furiously with a pen in hand. And although late nights aren’t an abnormality in the bangtan dorm, it became commonplace for Jungkook to crash into bed at some ungodly hour after completing his assignments. As a result, he starts to look a little worse for wear, with darker shadows under his eyes and a paler, almost sickly, complexion. Coordi-noona nags as she covers up the dark circles with make-up, throwing concerned jabs that Jungkook would try to assuage if he wasn’t taking catnaps to make up for his lack of sleep. 

It isn’t that hard to see when Jungkook begins to struggle with trying to stay on top of things. His temper gets shorter, periods of him staring off into space become more frequent, and there are times when Yoongi walks in on him scrubbing his face vigorously with the back of his fist. At first Yoongi thinks it’s sleepiness- until he spots the dampness on Jungkook’s sleeve. 

The other members see it too, and they try to help. But Jungkook curls more into himself when he becomes the centre of attention. He flushes red when Seokjin pushes vitamins into his fist, protests loudly when Jimin latches on and doesn’t let go, and avoids all eye contact when Namjoon cuts him a little slack. Jungkook has never been very good with being showered with attention, and so Yoongi stayed away, silently keeping an eye on the youngster from the sidelines. It’s when Jungkook breaks in the privacy of their shared hotel room (in one of the many cities they had flown to for work), that Yoongi knows he has to take action. 

Yoongi swears as the car bounces violently when he navigates it over a pothole, jolting Jungkook awake. He is momentarily disoriented, glancing around with his eyes squinted until he recalls where he is. There aren’t any landmarks or road signs to indicate their location though. ”Are we lost?” Jungkook yawns, stretching as much as he can within the small space of the car. 

"Don’t you trust your hyung?" Yoongi asks dryly.

Jungkook gives him a meaningful look. ”I’m here, aren’t I?” 

Yoongi can’t disagree with that logic- he did haul Jungkook out of bed in the early hours of the morning in order to sneak out of the dorm undetected, without any explanation whatsoever.

"There’s food in the back." The ecstatic grin that spreads across Jungkook’s face is infectious, and Yoongi finds himself smiling fondly whilst the younger goes digging behind Yoongi’s seat for the bag of food. A comfortable silence fills the car as Jungkook wolfs down bread rolls, feeding Yoongi bites in between. Yoongi likes that they see no need in engaging in pointless conversation, content to just be.

The peace doesn’t last long. It’s broken by the shrill ringing of Yoongi’s phone.

Frowning, Yoongi pulls out his phone from his pocket and tosses it to Jungkook. The younger swipes the screen and hits the speaker button. Namjoon’s voice fills the cabin. “Where the fuck are you?” The leader does not sound pleased at all.  

Yoongi and Jungkook exchange looks briefly. ”Out.” Yoongi replies shortly.

"This is no time to be cute, hyung." They can tell Namjoon is majorly pissed but trying hard to suppress his anger. "Did you actually kidnap the maknae?"

"What do you want, Namjoon?" Yoongi doesn’t have to see Jungkook’s face to know the maknae is smirking.

"Come back. Now.”

"I left a note."

"You left a piece of paper which tells me jackshit. What the hell are you thinking, hyung?" Namjoon groans. "What am I going to tell management?"

"Tell them whatever you want."

"Put Jungkook on the phone." 

Yoongi shakes his head at Jungkook for the latter to stay silent. “He’s still asleep from all the drugs I gave him.” Yoongi knows he’s being deliberately difficult, but he really doesn’t care at this point. 

Namjoon growls, and suddenly, there seems to be a scuffle over at his side. “Don’t- give me the phone- Park Jimin, I swear to g-” They manage to catch bits and pieces, such as ‘hyung, no fair! I want to go too!’, ‘where are they exactly?’, and ‘bring Jungkookie back!!’. That last bit sounding very much like Jimin.

Jungkook signals wildly at Yoongi to hang up. “Namjoon, I can’t hear you,” Yoongi lies, “You’re breaking up-“

"Like hell I am! Bring Jungkook back home now-" 

"What was that? Can’t hear- I’m losing you-" Yoongi gestures for Jungkook to hang up, and the maknae does as he’s told, jabbing the end call button just as Namjoon swears loudly; then bursting into laughter the moment the call gets cut. He’s laughing so hard, there are actual tears in his eyes- and Yoongi can’t help but join in.

"Hurts-" Jungkook chokes out, clutching his stomach that ached from laughing so hard. Their laughter eventually dies, and Jungkook slumps back on his seat tiredly. "That felt good." He says, eyes bright and alive. Yoongi finds himself smiling unconsciously at the spark that reignites in Jungkook’s eyes. 

There’s a moment’s quiet before Jungkook speaks again. “Thanks, hyung.” He offers Yoongi a shy smile, front teeth peeking over his bottom lip. 

"Anytime, kid."

"We’re going to be in a world of trouble when we get back to the dorm, huh?"

“‘Fraid so.”

"…Guess I’m okay with that." Yoongi steals a look over at Jungkook. The maknae’s smile is so blissful, and carefree; Yoongi knows he made the right call. 

We’re going to be okay.

Notes:

All constructive criticism welcomed.