Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2015-01-30
Updated:
2015-05-02
Words:
24,900
Chapters:
10/?
Comments:
131
Kudos:
313
Bookmarks:
51
Hits:
9,614

Legend of Atlantis

Summary:

When archeologist Asami Sato finds herself the linguist on a multi-million yuan expedition to find the lost city of Atlantis, she hardly knows what to think. Following in the footsteps of her late father's dream, she helps uncover a whole civilisation. Korrasami. Atlantis AU. Inspired by yakfrost's spectacular drawings.

Notes:

Credit for this glorious story goes to yakfrost - check out her tumblr: http://yakfrost.tumblr.com and her fabulous drawings: http://yakfrost.tumblr.com/tagged/korrasami-atlantis-au
Seriously go check this out!
None of this belongs to me! Enjoy!

Chapter 1: City Lost

Chapter Text

‘… in a single day and night of misfortune, the island of Atlantis disappeared into the depths of the sea.' – Plato, 360 B.C.

 


 

A flash in the sky, a roar, and Korra knew nothing but fear.

Her mother’s hand was tight and hot around hers as they fled, her bare feet slapping panic stricken against the cool stone. The sky had fallen dark, furrowed, angry. A volley of a thousand screams rang in her ears as she clutched at her doll, her eyes wide with terror. A terror she did not fully understand.

Lights, red and searching, scoured the world around her, roving over the pillars and towers of her home, issuing like the hands of the Gods from the blooming sun above. Bells hollered their warnings, commands flying thick and fast through the air, a clamour of panic thick enough to taste.

“This way your highness. Quickly!”

Korra twisted to watch as her father staggered away, his staff sharp against the ground. Her mother, voice tight but controlled, commanded her to follow.

Her too short legs struggled to keep up, her doll – her precious Appa – slipped from her grasp.

“No!” She fought against the unyielding pull of her mother’s hand, reaching for the tiny stuffed bison. Her voice was lost amongst the chaos, even as her mother pulled her close and grasped her arms.

“Korra! Just leave it! There’s no time!”

But there was time! She thought, staring into a face she had known for all her days. Staring into a face she would never forget as the red light illuminated her from above. It turned an unearthly blue, and her mother turned away to gaze up into the bruised sky.

All around them, outside the halo of calm, the city was collapsing. Korra watched, teeth digging into her lower lip, hand clasped tight in her mother’s cooling palm. Her father was so far away, being shoved aside roughly, lost in a tide of his people as he stared at her. At her mother.

Her mother’s grip went limp in hers. The lights were coming together now, focusing, blinding, binding. And then she began to rise. Korra stared, heart thundering, mouth open in her childish innocence as her mother was lifted into the sky, the small bracelet slipping off her wrist.

“Mama!” She reached with all her might, stubby fingers brushing against the last lash of her coat. The light in the sky grew white, casting ethereal shadows, filling the world with its awesome, immortal power.

It was a mess of confusion. Tears filled her eyes, spilling over and down her plump cheeks. There were louder screams, shouts – curses. People were running hither and thither.

A pair of strong arms surrounded her, pulling her into a warm and familiarly solid chest.

“Close your eyes, Korra!” Her father. Strong, everlasting. “Look away!”

She did as she was told.

There was a rush of sound. The ground shuddered under her feet, making a squeal of fear erupt out of her.

And then she knew no more.