Actions

Work Header

One Rather Awkward Family

Summary:

Marshall and Lily are married with Robin and Ted as their children. Ted and Barney are best friends at school.
Robin comes home from her two year exchange in Canada and things start changing.

Being rewritten as of 2019.

Chapter 1: Returning Home

Notes:

Hi! This is my first How I Met Your Mother fanfiction (but not my last! I have a band AU in mind).
Unfortunately I'm terrible with the American school system so although they're in America, they have an Australan school setup (Primary School grade R-7, High School grade 8-12). Sorry if this is confusing but the years don't really matter anyway.
This first chapter is really short but I kind of just wanted one up and running so I don't forget to do more.
Anyway, enjoy the first chapter. Sorry it's kind of about nothing. Just introductory,

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ted shifted on his feet at the airport gates.

His big sister was coming home from her almost two years in Canada.

When they had first talked about the exchange she had wanted to go to Germany at the same school where Ted's ex-girlfriend Victoria had gone off to. In addition to the great cooking department they had a large media focus.

It was too far for them though and she had settled on Canada, hoping to improve her French a bit while over there.

Ted had barely seen her over the past couple years but when he saw her walking through the security gates, it felt almost as if he were a little kid again, welcoming his big sister home from school.

Once she was past the gates, Lily rushed over, throwing her arms around her daughter. "Sweetheart! Welcome home!"

Marshall was close behind, a fond smile on his face.

Ted grinned as they reached the seventeen year old girl. Her hair was light brown, straightened neatly. She wore jeans and a loose blouse.

"Robin, we missed you!" Ted said, gathering her up in a hug.

As soon as Robin was released, Lily was dragging her away, wanting to hear about her whole trip.

****

"Barney, no. My parents hate you. There's no way they'd let me run off to Atlantic city with you. I don't care what you got tickets to. I'm not going."

Ted could almost hear his best friend, rolling his eyes at the phone. "C'mon, Ted! I already got Zoey to make us some fake IDs! She's a pro at this stuff. We could go get smashed, hit the Victorias Secret after party and have an awesome night!"

"No way. I am never getting drunk with you again. Last time was an absolute mistake."

The line was quiet. "Yeah. We really shouldn't be talking about that again."

"Exactly. We also shouldn't be getting drunk again. So I'm going to stay home. You have fun."

Barney sighed. "Welcome Robin home from me.”

Ted hung up, feeling uncomfortable. Maybe he shouldn't have brought up that night.

A knock brought him back to the present and he shifted. "Come in!"

Marshall walked in and dropped into his desk chair. "Hey, buddy. What's up?"

"Nothing, Dad. Just got off the phone with Barney."

Marshall let out a small chuckle. "That kid is going to get a real shock when he leaves high school. I wonder if he'll get a job with his lack of interest in anything actually
important."

Ted shook his head. "He's Barney. I'm sure he'll get some high paying job that I won't understand."

It was difficult for Ted to tell whether his parents hated Barney or not. They seemed to like him but they didn't seem to like him being friends with their son. Marshall clearly thought he was
funny to be around but Lily didn't enjoy the sexual jokes he was always spouting.

"Well, I guess we'll see in a couple years." Marshall stood up. "We're going out to dinner in half an hour. Don't forget to wear something... kind of nice?"

Ted thought to his baggy jeans and flannel shirts. "Yeah, sure."

After reluctantly slapping on a nice jacket and some slacks, Ted made his way down stairs.

Robin was sitting on the last step looking a little tired.

"Hey," Ted said, falling down next to her.

She smiled.

"You okay?"

Robin sighed. "Just tired. Mum and Dad keep asking me all these questions. It's kind of making me sleepy."

Ted nodded. "You know them. They're just excited to have you home. I am too."

"Thanks. I missed you guys. But I also kind of think I'm going to miss Canada."

"Don't let Barney here you say that."

"Is he still bashing on Canada?"

"Of course."

She laughed. I haven't seen Barney in ages. Two years in fact! Has he changed at all?"

"Not in the slightest," Ted told her, grinning.

She shook her head as Lily came into the room, followed by Marshall.

"Ready to go, kids?"

They stood up, walking out of the house.

Notes:

So? How'd you like it?
Please leave your comments and kudos!
And if you'd like to check out my Tumblr click here.