Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2014-10-09
Updated:
2014-12-17
Words:
43,307
Chapters:
6/30
Comments:
25
Kudos:
216
Bookmarks:
14
Hits:
3,440

Incandescent

Summary:

“I have no doubt, I’m sure you’re very loyal, Lauren. However,” she paused, running a finger under Lauren’s jaw. “Seven months is a long time to go without another person, another body. And being alone, treated like an outsider, as a slave, must be very frightening. How difficult it must be, to desire someone in your bed, desperate for their warmth and love.”

Lauren blinked rapidly, her throat swelling. Yes, she wanted to say, yes, yes. She was lonely and scared, and most nights she slept on the floor, near Nadia, with her paperwork around her. She was desperate to be touched, desperate for something so simple as a hug, that even a handshake made her feel closer to someone than the cold indifference she so often faced.

Notes:

EchoGalen asked for all thirty of the prompts, to morridoc. And then I found an old unpublished, unfinished one-shot that sorta fit one of the fills and then I was like, waiiiiit a moment, I could so turn this into a fic. So...this happened.

The numbers will be out of order, but the story will flow in the usual way.

8tracks playlist

Chapter 1: I wanna be faithful, I wanna be raw

Chapter Text

4. Masturbation

 

“Who’s she?” Lauren asked. The woman turned, smirking as if she could hear her question. A glass of champagne lifted in her direction and Lauren dropped her eyes, the breath exhaling from her lungs.

“She shouldn’t be here,” Doctor Everett hissed. Grabbing Lauren’s arm, she steered her away. Lauren peeked over her shoulder, glancing back to the woman. She was grinning, her eyes holding Lauren’s firmly until someone directed her attention away.

“Who is she?” Lauren asked again. Doctor Everett had pulled her over to where the finger food was laid out on a white and gold covered table, though Lauren kept her hunger firmly away from it. It may look like pork to her, but some of the fae ate human flesh, others eating things even less appealing. Even the vegetarian menu was unsafe. “Everett?”

“The Morrigan,” she answered finally. “Stay away from her.”

Taking a breath, Lauren pressed her lips into a firm line. She may have only been with the fae for a month, but she knew better than to speak against orders, regardless of how patronizing the fae could be.

God, lately she revealed it patronizing terms. At least she was seen as someone, then. To Everett, she was a child at best, a pet at worst. Everyone else saw her as the stray dog, brought in out of pity, flea-ridden and diseased.

The Morrigan was the first one to look at her like…someone. Whoever, she was, Lauren wanted to know her.

“Who is Morrigan?”

The Morrigan is in opposition against the Ash. Evony, however, is a spoiled child. Avoid her.”

Evony . Lauren’s tongue tasted the name, unspeaking it as she looked over at her again, watching her laugh as the Ash stalked over. Lauren waited, she’d seen him look like that once before, a few weeks prior and the person had been struck dead.

Evony wasn’t afraid. She was amused, her gestures loose and lazy. Lauren had met girls like Evony before. She agreed with Doctor Everett, it’d be best to stay away.

Though staying away was easier said than done. Half the night past as Doctor Everett lead her around, showing her off like won prize before she, too, disappeared, leaving Lauren with strict instructions to not move until she returned.

Evony took the opportunity then, seemingly to appear out of thin air as she touched Lauren’s shoulder. Lauren jumped, eyes wide at the warm hand on her skin. “So sorry,” Evony laughed, sounding anything but. “Didn’t mean to frighten you, darling.”

“It’s fine,” Lauren smiled, swallowing nervously. A silence pulled between them, Evony’s eyes seeming to run over her. “I should, ah, le-“

“I believe you were given strict instructions,” the Morrigan teased. “But who am I to stand in the way of rebellion? Come.” She looped Lauren’s arm in hers, guiding her through the crowd of people, most of whom were fae, and if not, they were collared alike Lauren. None of whom, Lauren doubted, were taken outside to a bare balcony to stand below the stars, looking out amongst the city.

“Oh,” Lauren whispered, leaning forward. They were high up, not in the building, but on the hill, capable of looking out over most of the city. It was beautiful, she thought. But distant away to feel like it wasn’t quite real. Her experiences in the city were strictly professional. She couldn’t remember a time when she did something for herself. To her, the city wasn’t real.

“There, much better,” Evony said.

“But-“ she paused, looking back to where the crowd was. People whispering, speaking about her as if she couldn’t hear them. She didn’t want to return. Hated the idea. But Doctor Everett would be looking for her and she’d be severely punished if she was found out of place.

Lauren only rebelled once in the Light. Once had been enough.

“I’m sure you’re more at home in you lab.”

Lauren flushed. She couldn’t agree, truthfully, couldn’t disagree either regardless of the truth in the matter.

Evony paused, studying her before she stepped forward. “Must be frightening,” she said. “A big new world, hiding amongst the one you thought you knew? Nothing will ever be the same again, will it?”

“No,” Lauren whispered. “It won’t.”

“Must be lonely. I’m sure the Light have already isolated you from friends and family, telling you it’s for the best. That this way you can keep them safe,” Evony nodded, watching Lauren nod with her.

“It is,” Lauren said. “They’re right. Not all fae are good and-“ Evony laughed, cutting her off.

“I’m sorry, dear. Go on.”

Lauren frowned. “What’s so funny?”

“Oh, just you’re naivety.” Lauren glared, then blushed, holding it back. “Don’t look so offended, most humans are the same when they first become aware us. The modern would has filled minds with the idea of good and evil,” Evony yawned for affect, “boring.”

“There are lines,” Lauren said. “There’s-“

“And I suppose you think yourself as good, then?” Evony asked. “Don’t answer that, it’s rhetorical. Anyone who believes in good and evil thinks they’re on the side of right and just.” She stepped forward again in Lauren’s space, pressing her against the balcony. Her arms set on either side, effectively pinning her in place. “Cheating is bad isn’t it?”

“What?”

“On your partner. Girlfriend. What’s her name?” Evony pressed closer, close enough that when Lauren inhaled sharply, she felt her chest touch the other woman’s.

“Nadia,” she said.

“How long has it been? A few months? Seven, since you joined, I believe.” Lauren blinked, had it been seven already? She thought back, trying to remember the Congo. It’d been that long…

Evony’s hand dropped from the bannister, curling around the material of Lauren’s dress. “No,” Lauren said, shaking her head. “I’m not- I won’t-“

“As you wish.” Her hand let go, smirking as she didn’t move away. “But you’re tempted.”

“I’m not.”

“I’m a sex fae, darling. You could lie to yourself for as long as you desire, but you can’t lie to me when it comes to sex or arousal. You’re tempted,” she said again. “It’s been a long time and you’re running out of hope of saving her. Seven months is so very long. Even if you do get away, fix her dearly broken body, she’ll still be bed ridden for a time, her muscles weak, her mind fearful and fragile of the time lost. She’ll never be the same.”

“I’ll be there,” Lauren bit back.

“I have no doubt, I’m sure you’re very loyal, Lauren. However,” she paused, running a finger under Lauren’s jaw. “Seven months is a long time to go without another person, another body. And being alone, treated like an outsider, as a slave, must be very frightening. How difficult it must be, to desire someone in your bed, desperate for their warmth and love.”

Lauren blinked rapidly, her throat swelling. Yes, she wanted to say, yes, yes. She was lonely and scared, and most nights she slept on the floor, near Nadia, with her paperwork around her. She was desperate to be touched, desperate for something so simple as a hug, that even a handshake made her feel closer to someone than the cold indifference she so often faced.

Evony leaned her, her head tilting and Lauren knew what was to follow, knew how starved she was for it. “No,” she whispered.

“Hmm?” Evony paused, close enough that Lauren could feel the hum of her voice, brushing against the air between them. “What is it?”

“Please.”

“Please what?”

Lauren blinked, her throat swallowing back the shudder. “Please don’t.”

“As you prefer.” She stepped back, turning away to look at the crowd of people behind her. Lauren shook, her arms visibly, her knees about to give in, furious with herself for allowing the Morrigan so close, for allowing herself to consider the option.

“I’m sorry,” Lauren said, ducking her head, she went to move, only for her arm to be caught. Gently. Lauren had been caught before, had her body ripped back in the presence of a fae, her body maneuvered by Doctor Everett as if she was nothing more than a doll, but Evony did neither. She grabbed her, loose enough that Lauren could easily tug away if she desired.

And she did. Didn’t she?

“I do apologize for frightening you,” Evony told her. “I shouldn’t have been so brash so fast.”

Lauren turned, looking to her. “It’s fine,” she whispered. The hand dropped away, Evony tilting her head to study her, waiting for something. “I-“

“Don’t go back in there, they’re all boring.” She sighed. “The only reason I’m here was mostly to fuck with your boss.”

“Everett?”

Evony smirked, “Elijah.” Oh. The Ash. Lauren looked over to where everyone was. Through the glass doors, she couldn’t see him. She couldn’t see Doctor Everett either though. “But I also wanted to see his new prize,” she looked over Lauren, smiling sharply at her.

“I’m not a prize.” She said the words firmly, believing them, though fear twisted over the sound. Evony just laughed, shaking her head.

“For a genius, you’re very stupid.” Perhaps it was, but Lauren wasn’t a prize, she refused to be seen as a prize and if that meant biting back at someone who could kill her as easily as bat an eyelash, then, she would. She was a person, an individual, and she’ll cling to that for as long as she could. Evony paused, her lips parting as she studied Lauren. “You are so wasted with the Light.”

Lauren didn’t reply. She couldn’t. In part, she was, Everett was teaching her physiology, how to diagnose a patient and building on the skills she’d learnt as a field doctor in the army. Eventually, Lauren may become the Chief Medical Physician for the Light, she told her.

Lauren didn’t want that, she wanted the labs, the cool, clean sterile environment where she could work on understanding the fae, could look at their genetics and prevent disease, understand them, help them in a far more long-term practice than a general practitioner could. But she swallowed those thoughts away. She was already a genius when it came to genetics, still had free time to work there. Doctor Everett was building her to be a better doctor in all aspects.

That was important, too, she supposed.

“I should go,” Lauren said, “it was…nice to meet your acquaintance.”

“And to you,” Evony smirked. “I do so hope to see you in the future, Doctor Lewis.”

Lauren turned, making her way back to where she’d been before. Everett turned, glancing at her. “Where have you been?”

Lauren didn’t reply, the sound quiet in her mind. As if, quietly, Evony and herself both decided that this should be a secret kept between them.

“Bathroom,” Lauren answered.

“I told you to wait here.”

Lauren flushed, looking down. She felt like a child, some ignorant brat beneath her stare. Clenching her jaw, Lauren thought of Nadia, of what she wanted for her, of the scientific marvel’s she was experiencing that few other humans could. She tried to remember them, but all she could hear was Evony telling her how wasted her talents were.

Sighing, Everett, rolled her eyes. “I’m sorry, it’s just that there are people here who…won’t think twice about using you, even with the Ash’s mark.” She reached forward, pressing a hand to Lauren’s back and steering her away. “Let’s just move on. I have some people I want you to meet.”

She was moved like a prize, catching flashes of Evony here and there. The woman didn’t come to her again, and Lauren left the evening exhausted, dropped off at her apartment with sore feet and an empty belly.

She removed her shoes, changing into loose clothes, remembering Evony’s hands on her skirt. Cooking dinner for herself, something quick she only had to stir around in a frypan, had her mind drifting back to warm fingertips and a soft breath, tasting of champagne. She hadn’t kissed her, in truth, she’d barely touched her, but Lauren felt like she’d spent hours underneath her hands, pliant to her will.

Sex fae, she’d told her. Pheromones, Lauren decided.

Taking her food, Lauren curled up with her computer, looking over pieces of the archive she had access to, looking through the different types of sex fae. Popobawa was immediately ruled out, sex fae of vengeance, an underfae. La Fiura was described as ugly, and less about lust. That, and Evony didn’t seem bothered by her sexual advances being rejected. Succubus was a possibility, it’d make sense that a rare and powerful fae would be the leader of the Dark. However, if she was, Evony didn’t use any of her powers on her.

Lauren went to bed curious. Her thoughts corroded with guilt as she thought of Nadia, how long it’d been since she last held her. Their last night together had been lazy, Lauren had pressed her body to Nadia’s and fell asleep with fingers playing in her hair. Had she known, she might have made something special of it.

Her dreams didn’t carry the guilt.

In her modest apartment, with a room that overlooked other apartments, she faced the East. In the morning light, with a warm glow that made the usual white room golden, Lauren shoved cotton pants down her calves, her eyes blinking up at a ceiling, whispering over and over in her mind the benefits, the excuses she had for why her fingers stroked between her legs.

Strongly, she told herself that a distracted mind wouldn’t work efficiently, she couldn’t allow herself to be wondering about stray hands when there were petri dishes to examine, and notes to write and skills to learn. She couldn’t allow Doctor Everett to see her as anything other than her very best.

She told herself this as she thought of her dream, of past experiences to use as fodder for her fantasy. A mouth on her throat, a hand sliding over her waist, under her back as she arches at the touch between her legs. It was like the tide coming in, the waves growing and crashing, too short, too far away from the shore. She hadn’t hit peak yet, she wasn’t there. Not yet.

But close.

And maybe Nadia would forgive her, maybe she’d understand how desperate Lauren was for something, someone to make her feel human, alive and worthy, rather than toss her species as a dirty word in her face.

The Morrigan made her feel closer to real, closer to herself than she had in years. She wasn’t an equal, not yet, but she wasn’t a slave, a toy to be molded into position.

Doctor Lewis … Lauren felt her throat swell, hearing Evony’s voice tease in her ear again. She came, with wet fingers and damp thighs, her eyes staring wide at a blank ceiling and her chest heaving. Endorphins rushing through her system like the tide on the beach.

That was the last time, the only time, she told herself, pushing up from the bed. Evony had other things to attend to, she didn’t need to worry about a Light Fae human doctor. And Lauren didn’t need some stranger to get off to in the morning hours.