Actions

Work Header

The Freshmen Invasion

Summary:

Young Justice drabbles or oneshots mainly centered on the freshmen of the team because they really don't get enough love.

Notes:

Cuties

Not enough is shown of these cuties so I will write them a fic. But some stuff will be assumed slash carried over from comics whenever I need to fill a gap.

Also, in the YJ comic it kind of seemed like Tim lived with Bruce. I know they redivvied the years of stuff in the YJ!verse so I will work under the assumption that Tim's dad is already gone. This means both Tim and Dick have already been adopted.

Chapter Text

Today is the day.

"Relax, Tim."

Tim turns to see Dick grinning at him.

"Nervous much?"

I'm not nervous. I don't know what you are talking about. You're confused, it's how you live your life. I understand, but please don't force your confusion onto me. Nervous. Psh."

"Awww, Dick. The baby is all flustered," Barbara says, reaching over and rustling Tim's hair.

Tim ducks out of Babs' only to have Dick grab his waist and haul him up, laughing like some deranged maniac.

"You sound like a pneumonic, dying cat. Let go!"

"Nope."

"Bruce!"

Bruce barely spares them a glance before looking back at his computer. Tim doesn't even think he's looking at anything, just using the computer screen as a ploy to cleverly deny the existence of his protégés. It's a working theory--Tim will look into it.

"He's your brother."

"You raised him."

 "Don't even bother," Dick says, "Bruce has developed a zero accountability system in all matters pertaining to me."

"How does that even work?"

"Extreme and well-practiced denial. B is the master."


 

Jaime walks into the cave and sees Roy (the original one that isn't the one that's been around which is all kinds of confusing) looking that special brand of worried. The one that tells Jaime that there's nothing seriously wrong, but something is definitely seriously wrong.

"The fridge door hit Robin in the nose and he's been yelling at it for about half an hour."

Oh, so it's one of those days.

"Yeah. Robin gets into one of those moods sometimes. Nightwing says he's got a lot of repressed anger that he needs to let out. It helps him stay zen and serious most of the time."

There's the sound of something sharp, like a knife or a batarang, hitting something metallic and hard, like a fridge.

"I am not repressed, Jaime Reyes. You take that back! This refrigerator has challenged me and I never back down from a challenge. This fridge is gonna go down. You will see. YOU WILL ALL SEE!"

"Just stay out of his way, hermano," Jaime says, ignoring the angry terror of the night in the next room, "Go out for breakfast or something."

Both boys watch as Robin draws his bo staff. Roy makes a noise that could have either been contemplation or unparalleled fear.

Then, because Jaime never claimed to be a saint...

"Wait until you see his rage-day sync up to the second day of Cassie's period. Nightwing hands leadership over to Batman on those days."

"I'm quitting."

Jaime just laughs.

"Dude, you can't quit. There is no quit button. It's like the mafia except meta powered. No one goes. They will find you."

Roy wonders how he should feel about the fact that the way Jaime says that makes it sound like it comes from personal experience.


 

"Stop putting your clothes in my closet, Roy. Nightwing thinks we're dating. He has sworn blood vengeance."

"Shit."

"Also, he wants to be the best man at our wedding. I'm not sure if this will be before or after the blood vengeance is exacted. I should ask."

"Um, priorities Rob. Please get some."

"All I'm saying is that if we're going to be married, I don't want you looking like death worked you over. So, I mean, the blood vengeance will have to come after, right?"

"I hate you so much. We aren't even dating!"

"Not if you keep up that kind of attitude."


 

Tim is that friend. That friend that you befriend because at first you think he is gentle and sweet and kind and really awkward and shy, but it is only a disguise, a disarming, mortal disguise, and they are actually a demon from hell come to eat your soul and insult your poor lifestyle choices. Who alternates between critiquing your clothes or dolling out death threats. And by the time you realize this, it is all far too late. You can't escape. You can't leave.

Jaime is that friend too. But a different one. He is that friend who just kind of looks at you and you just know that he is judging you so hard. So so hard. And then he'll open his mouth and all it is is more judgement, but in the form of deadpanned sass. And when he's not judging you, he's still judging you only on a less harsh level because he is also on tumblr, judging someone else.

Cassie is that friend as well. She is that friend who will smile and cheer you up and drag you into an exploding building just because and only occasionally threaten your wellbeing and your future grandchildren.

And Bart is that poor sucker who really needs to make new friends.

And people think he's the crazy one.


 

"Nightwing..."

"Bart, no."

"But..."

"Garfield, no."

"It's just a few pets."

"Just a few? That is a colony of penguins and an elephant seal. This is out of control. You are both out of control. Control yourselves. Or bring them to your own homes. I don't caee, but get them out of the cave before they poop or reproduce. Take the geese out for a walk while you're at it."

"We never get to keep any pets."

Bart hums his agreement as he reaches up to pet Zip, the orangutan.

Dick takes five deep breaths and thinks of justice.

(Suddenly it's very easy to see how Bruce became so addicted.)

Bart and Garfield forget to take the geese out.