Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2013-12-05
Updated:
2020-03-02
Words:
25,669
Chapters:
12/?
Comments:
24
Kudos:
146
Bookmarks:
25
Hits:
2,949

A Love in Progress

Summary:

Vex is evil. But the fact that he can't stop thinking about a certain Human, well that's evil too and is becoming a real pain. Vex/Kenzi

Notes:

No Beta so I'm so sorry for any and all grammar and spelling mistakes. I wrote this in an hour I had free between updating other stories.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Chapter One

Chapter Text

Vex stood very still. Although his black attire helped him blend into the shadows, he didn't want to take a chance that the young human would see him.

She had been in the fae world long enough that she probably had picked up enough sense to keep both eyes peeled for danger.

Yet after hearing snippets from her life before meeting Bo she had probably that talent ingrained into her very core. That's what living on the streets did to a person.

He wondered again not for the first time how her life hadn't made her as hard and bitter as some other humans who had been through the same.

It had been her quick wit and biting come backs that had first gained his attention when he had first met Kenzi well obviously after he noticed her other more obvious attributes.

But with her being human and the Succubus being the bane of his troubles and murder accusations at the time, he hadn't taken much notice.

However as time went on he began to see the amazing amount of bravery her tiny body enclosed. More so then even any other fae he had encountered in his long years never mind for human.

He also had to admit her humour and dark side captivated him. It was like she was a better version of himself.

He didn't really know why he was following her. Thinking on it, it might not be such a healthy idea.

For example, the time he had corned her Succubus chum in an alley when that whole nasty business was going down with The Morrígan's little human blabbing confidential secrets all over town.

Just when he was about to poke her eyes out suddenly the tiny human was standing behind him, after sneaking up as quiet as a church mouse, with a very sharp and pointed sword held between his legs.

If she had been fae he might have jumped her right then and there but instead he settled for asking her, well them for a drink.

Luckily he had actually been looking to broker a deal with the Succubus so it didn't look to unusual.

He had tried to put the affect she had had on him out of his mind. That night Vex had even given the Dominatrix a call so as to feel more like his old self.

Only who turned up to help him out of the chains when the woman had turned on him and tried to do away with him, the one and only little gothic human.

Even when fighting the Garuda he had found himself unable to divert his attention away from her for long.

He had even felt jealousy when the, oh so good and light siren had been giving her a neck rub. Even just picturing it now made him angry and his hand twitched ever so slightly.

Although it was just an empty gesture now that his arsenal of Mesmer talents were still MIA.

Now, a week later and he still couldn't let her out of his sight. He tried to reason that she had almost been killed.

Not to mention that awful rash that had taken up residence on her arm that she still had not mentioned to her little posse of do gooders.

It was only by luck he had seen it himself.

The night after they had won the fight against the evil fae munching being they had all gone back to the Dal to as Kenzi had put it "Drink until we pass out and then do it all over again peeps" .

He had only gone along so that the Doc would fix up his arm and Kenzi had insisted much to the others annoyance that he join in the festivities.

After the Doc had fixed him up as best she could (which wasn't fantastic) he had looked around for the little human only to find that she wasn't anywhere to be found.

Walking out and trying not to feel too disappointed he had unwittingly stumbled right into the little Goth who was sitting on the curb wrapping something around her arm.

"What's up with you love?" he had asked sitting down next to her on the street.

"Not the most fitting way to be spending your evening after the war you've been through"

"Yeah" she had sighed "I'll be heading back in a mo but I just wanted to take care of some business first"

"And what pray tell would that be love? Moping that you were saved by a siren and not a knight in shining armour?" he asked feeling happy it came out light hearted instead of bitter.

"Nah, course I'm grateful to Hale, Dude I should be worshipping at his feat but…" she trailed off looking back at her arm.

"Come on lovie tell all powerful Vex what's wrong" he coaxed nudging his uninjured shoulder against her own.

"Well, all right Vexter but you can't tell any of the others " Kenzi had said giving him a look that promised a lot of pain and suffering if he did.

"Cross my heart love" he said making her smile.

Secretly he had been thrilled that she was trusting him like this.

"Pinkie swear?" she asked holding out her tiny human finger.

Rolling his eyes he did what she asked laughing at her serious expression.

After that she had told him the ins and outs of how exactly Dyson had got his love back and all about the unknown "gift" that had spilled on her arm.

Vex couldn't help the laugh that burst from his lips.

Kenzi had punched his arm frowning at his reaction.

"Man what is your deal it's not funny" she had yelled.

"I'm just massively impressed. You took a chainsaw to the Norm's tree and lived to tell the tale!" exclaimed Vex feeling oh so proud of his little human.

"Yeah but for how long" she whispered smiling a broken little smile that was so out of character for her as she pulled up her sleeve to show him the rash that was spreading from her wrist up her forearm from where the liquid had touched her.

Vex had stopped laughing pretty quickly as he realised the seriousness of the situation.

It seemed he had been acting out of character that night too for instead of bouncing off to happily finish off his night in peace he wrapped an arm around her sholders and pulled her against his side.

"Hey love you're tougher then this, whatever it is." He had said

They stayed silent for a while, Kenzi seemingly finding comfort in resting her head against his chest.

It was a strange feeling for Vex but he found he liked it.

All too soon the little human was sitting up and pulling herself together.

"Yeah well it's not going to stop me from abusing my tab tonight, come on Vexter let's get wasted" she had said acting for all the world like she was back to her happy bouncing self.

Vex knew though that it was a show, after all who was she talking to but one of the best emotional avoidance actors of the past few centuries. But he let it drop.

Following her inside he had shared a drink with her and a few jokes, enjoying making her laugh for the time being until her friends noticed her return and quickly came over to join them.

He supposed he shouldn't have felt as angry as he had. He knew how much the whole group loved her and considering her personality it made sense that he didn't have long with her, just the two of them before they all wanted to steal her back.

It was anger and confusion over thoughts like that that had made him, in his usual characteristically flamboyant way, claim that he had had enough of the bloody hallmark moments and he was off to find real fun.

Now as he followed her he kept thinking about the little disappointed look in her eyes as he had left. Had it been over how he had acted with her friends or because she had wanted him to stay?

Kenzi had reached her home, if you could call the shack that she shared with Bo a home, so at least for now she was safe.

He was about to turn around and head off back in the direction he was intending before he had got distracted Kenzi stalking when he heard someone call out.

"Vexie, Hey Vexter what are you doing here?" asked Kenzi bouncing over to him.

The Mesmer was completely taken back, how in the bloody hell had she seen him?

Of course he wasn't going to show himself up.

"I think you'll find human I'm allowed to be where ever the bleedin' hell I want to be" he said trying to cover his shock at being caught out.

"Don't get cranky, come on I've got Robot Hookers 3 on standby and I bet you're looking for a rematch.

So come on Dude get that ass inside, I haven't seen you in like a week" she finished practically dragging him after her.

Vex was stunned to say the least but too happy to care and so allowed the little human to drag him for the time being.