(Open, Unmoderated, Gift Exchange Challenge)
Welcome to Where No Woman's New Year Exchange! This fest celebrates 30 women from all incarnations of Star Trek. Our unofficial theme is firsts and resolutions. Feel free to include requests related to this theme in the story preferences on your sign-up, but it is not required.
(1) Which Star Trek series are included in the fest?
Our list of characters includes women from TOS, AOS, DS9, ENT, and Voyager.
(2) Why isn't my favorite character listed?
For matching purposes, the comm agreed on a list of characters through a poll. If no one offered to write a character, or no one said they would request that character, they were not included. Characters who do not have names could not be included in the main request list.
(3) If a character is not on the list, can I still request her? What if I want an unnamed character or an OFC?
You still need to request at least 3 characters from the main list, but if there are other characters you'd like to receive (including other ST characters, unnamed characters, or OCs), you may note that in the description part of your request.
(4) Can I request or offer more than three characters from the list?
Certainly! You may write or request up to twenty characters and twenty pairings.
(5) The tag for my favorite pairing won't load, or I keep getting a "non-canonical pairing" error when I submit my sign-in form.
Be sure to alphabetize your pairing -- whoever comes alphabetically first, based on their surname, must be typed in first. You must also use the full canonical name of both partners. For example, "Amanda Grayson/Sarek" will load, but "Amanda/Sarek," "Sarek/Amanda" or "Sarek/Amanda Grayson" will not.
(6) Can I pinch hit even if I didn't sign up for the exchange?
Yes, and we would love you forever. To sign up to pinch hit, copy and paste the following URL into your browser's address window and fill out the form:
(7) What should I do if I can't finish my assignment?
Please let us know as soon as possible by going to your assignment page on AO3 and clicking "default."
(8) Is there a penalty for dropping out?
If you default without telling us, you have one year to complete a fic of at least 1,000 words for a fest in the comm. If you don't do this, you will be banned from the next exchange. If you let us know that you cannot complete your assignment, there is no penalty.
(9) What should I do if I have a question about my recipient's request?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will forward your request to your recipient so that you remain anonymous.
(10) Whom should I contact if I have a problem?
You may email us at email@example.com.
1. All fics must be at least 1,000 words. There is no maximum word count, but your story must be complete (no WIPs).
2. All submissions must be beta read. We will create a beta post in the Where No Woman comm in case you need help finding a beta.
3. This is an anonymous exchange. Please do not reveal your recipient to anyone other than your beta or post your story outside AO3 until authors' identities are revealed.
4. You must request and offer at least 3 characters. If you would like to write or receive het, femslash, or threesomes/moresomes, please list at least three ships on the sign-up form to help us match you appropriately.
5. When signing up, you may choose characters from the list created by the comm. (It is a very large list encompassing characters from several different ST series.) If you would like to write/receive characters who are not on the list, you may include them the description box of your sign-up. A match on these characters is not guaranteed.
6. This exchange encompasses all Star Trek franchises. To aid with matching, if you request a character from outside AOS/TOS, you must also offer to write at least one character from outside AOS/TOS. Likewise, if you request a one-off TOS character, please offer to write at least one of them as well.
7. Please do your best to keep your recipient's preferences in mind -- after all, you are creating a gift! Do not include anything your recipient listed as a squick or trigger.
8. If you must drop out, please notify us as soon as possible so that we can find a pinch hitter. To drop out, go to your assignments page on A03 and click "default." If we do not have a story from you on Monday, January 3rd and we have not heard from you, we will assume that you will not complete your assignment and find a pinch hitter.
9. If you default and the person assigned to write for you also defaults, we will not find a pinch hitter for you, so you will not receive a story.
10. If you drop out without telling us, you will have six months to fulfill your recipient's request or be banned from next year's exchange.
11. The archive will not go live until everyone who fulfilled their assignment has received a story.